Between Friends by DiamondDoss
Past Featured StorySummary: Joey Fatone has always found a friend in Lance's younger sister. When feelings change, will things stay the same?
Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: Group, Joey Fatone
Awards: None
Genres: Drama
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 62 Completed: Yes Word count: 271301 Read: 83732 Published: Jul 13, 2012 Updated: Dec 01, 2013
Story Notes:

Be kind, please rewind..I mean review. :)

stories/1993/images/BETWEEN_FRIENDS.jpg

1. Chapter 1 by DiamondDoss

2. Chapter 2 by DiamondDoss

3. Chapter 3 by DiamondDoss

4. Chapter 4 by DiamondDoss

5. Chapter 5 by DiamondDoss

6. Chapter 6 by DiamondDoss

7. Chapter 7 by DiamondDoss

8. Chapter 8 by DiamondDoss

9. Chapter 9 by DiamondDoss

10. Chapter 10 by DiamondDoss

11. Chapter 11 by DiamondDoss

12. Chapter 12 by DiamondDoss

13. Chapter 13 by DiamondDoss

14. Chapter 14 by DiamondDoss

15. Chapter 15 by DiamondDoss

16. Chapter 16 by DiamondDoss

17. Chapter 17 by DiamondDoss

18. Chapter 18 by DiamondDoss

19. Chapter 19 by DiamondDoss

20. Chapter 20 by DiamondDoss

21. Chapter 21 by DiamondDoss

22. Chapter 22 by DiamondDoss

23. Chapter 23 by DiamondDoss

24. Chapter 23 part 2 by DiamondDoss

25. Chapter 24 part 1 by DiamondDoss

26. Chapter 24 part 2 by DiamondDoss

27. Chapter 25 by DiamondDoss

28. Chapter 26 part 1 by DiamondDoss

29. Chapter 26 part 2 by DiamondDoss

30. Chapter 27 part 1 by DiamondDoss

31. Chapter 27 part 2 by DiamondDoss

32. Chapter 28 part 1 by DiamondDoss

33. Chapter 28 part 2 by DiamondDoss

34. Chapter 29 part 1 by DiamondDoss

35. Chapter 29 part 2 by DiamondDoss

36. Chapter 30 part 1 by DiamondDoss

37. Chapter 30 part 2 by DiamondDoss

38. Chapter 31 part 1 by DiamondDoss

39. Chapter 31 part 2 by DiamondDoss

40. Chapter 32 part 1 by DiamondDoss

41. Chapter 32 part 2 by DiamondDoss

42. Chapter 33 part 1 by DiamondDoss

43. Chapter 33 part 2 by DiamondDoss

44. Chapter 34 by DiamondDoss

45. Chapter 34 part 2 by DiamondDoss

46. Chapter 35 part 1 by DiamondDoss

47. Chapter 35 part 2 by DiamondDoss

48. Chapter 36 part 1 by DiamondDoss

49. Chapter 36 part 2 by DiamondDoss

50. Chapter 37 part 1 by DiamondDoss

51. Chapter 37 part 2 by DiamondDoss

52. Chapter 38 Part 1 by DiamondDoss

53. Chapter 38 part 2 by DiamondDoss

54. Chapter 39 part 1 by DiamondDoss

55. Chapter 39 part 2 by DiamondDoss

56. Chapter 40 part 1 by DiamondDoss

57. Chapter 40 part 2 by DiamondDoss

58. Chapter 41 part 1 by DiamondDoss

59. Chapter 42 part 2 by DiamondDoss

60. Chapter 43 by DiamondDoss

61. Chapter 44 by DiamondDoss

62. Epilogue by DiamondDoss

Chapter 1 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
Enjoy, please leave feedback. I do not own anything you recognize except the plot and characters I have made up (or made names up).

Joey looked out of the corner of his eye while the group finished their before show prayer. It was the first time he'd really seen her in last two days. Every time he'd get anywhere close to her, she'd turn around and leave. Avoiding him. He wondered if it was just him or if it was something he'd done or said. Joey had thought back to everything the past week and couldn't think of anything to set her off. His eyes narrowed as she hugged Justin, laughing at something he'd said before briefly meeting his eyes, a slight frown coming to her face. “What the hell is her problem?” he muttered, trying to shake off the nerves and adrenaline a bit before they took the stage.


“Joey!” a voice called out, and he inwardly tried not to cringe before he turned to answer. It wasn't a cringe out of despair, just that Kristen's voice had become more bubbly and giggly as the week had progressed. The sight that met him, however, was one he liked. His girlfriend stood there in a tight form fitting dress, looking like a million bucks.


“You look good, Kris,” he said, stopping so one of the stage people could apply a bit more make up, knowing he'd sweat most of it off. His eyes left hers for a moment to watch the woman he had been looking at leave. He nodded to the stage hand in thanks, giving Kristen a quick kiss.


“I told my friends you'd wave to them,” she said, giving him a big smile, pressing her breasts against him.


Joey stopped, enjoying the moment before heading on, practically running out the door. “Mel!” he yelled, looking both ways but not seeing her. “You seen her?” Joey asked one of the security guys, hoping he had.


“She went towards the catering room. You got five minutes,” the guy yelled after Joey.


Joey got to the door that said catering and opened it, sending up a silent prayer that it was empty, save for her. “Hey,” Joey said, watching her jump at the sound of his voice, dropping the knife that had Miracle Whip on it and smiling at her cuss word. “You aren't coming to the show?” A very different woman than Kristen, dressed in a pair of jeans and a green t-shirt from Old Navy, a lanyard around her neck admitting her anywhere she wanted to go with the hard card hanging from it. Her favorite Nike's on her feet and glasses, her hair up in a messy ponytail. Joey watched her stand there, hating the silence between them.


“I've seen the show about twenty times now, Fatone,” Melissa finally said, not turning around as she bent down to wipe up the spilled condiment. “What makes this one different?” she'd tried hard the past few days not to be mad that her best friend had been otherwise occupied, and the shade of green she was wearing for jealousy didn't fit her well. So she'd done the only thing she could think of, which was avoid Joey all together.


“I've tried to talk to you for two freakin' days, Mel. You just give me the silent treatment like I killed your dog or somethin',” Joey spat out, hating to be ignored- more so that this was a person he'd known for years.


“Maybe you did kill my dog,” she said back, emphasizing the 'aw' sound in the word dog so it came out much like his New York accent instead of her southern one.


Joey growled, marching up to the table and grabbing the plate of food she had fixed and held it up out of her reach. “Tell me what the problem is, or the sandwich gets it.” A faint smile came to his face when his brown eyes caught her green ones and she smiled slightly before stomping her foot.


“Damn it, Joseph!” Melissa yelped, pushing Joey and trying to get her food before he dumped it into the garbage. “You're an ass, if you want to know the problem!”


Joey stopped fighting her and tossed the food in the trash. “You're lying. Your right eye twitched, babe,” he huffed, folding his arms over his chest, watching her glare at him and mutter under her breath. The term of endearment pissed her off more, much like hearing Joseph come from her mouth. “Do I have the plague or is this something more along the lines of a lover's quarrel that I am getting blamed for?”


Melissa seethed, about to jab him in the chest with her finger when she stopped. “You think this is about me and Travis? Why would I bring you into that? He and I are fine! I mean, I have to listen to you and Kristen practically having phone sex...”


Joey's eyebrow raised as he heard her voice change at the mention of his girlfriend's name. “You're jealous...” he said, smirking. Joey wasn't sure how to feel about the look that momentarily crossed her face, waiting for an answer.


“Kiss. My. Ass...Why would I be jealous of her? She has to put up with you,” Melissa tried to act indifferent about it.


“Then try not to act like a bitch, Mel. It doesn't suit you. You can do a lot better than Travis anyway, if you want my opinion. He sleeps with anything that walks.”


“He does not! How do you freaking know? Like you're much better anyways!” she yelled. “You can do a lot better than Kristen!Wearing clothes that fit small teenagers so her tits fall out of the shirt! And you act like a dick when she's around.”


“Like I said, you're jealous.”


“Shut up!” Melissa's voice got louder and she took a step closer to Joey. Everything about him made her mad, from the red in his hair to his goatee and Superman jersey he was wearing tonight. “You piss me off, Fatone. You don't have any idea what you're talking about!”


“Then you wouldn't be getting so mad about her being here. You didn't care about wearing make up last week, and now it's like you went and bought the whole fucking Clinique line.” Joey said quietly, taking a step closer to her as well, his voice getting a pissed off tone. He didn't mind make up on women, but in his mind, his best friend didn't need make up.


“It was on sale,” she replied cooly, giving him the evil eye. “Go sing and dance and make girls scream and cry. I don't wanna see you right now.”


“You coming?” Joey asked her, hearing his name beyond the door. He ignored the last statement, even though it hurt.


“Not to watch you, asshole,” she replied flippantly. Melissa saw a momentary stab of pain in Joey's eyes and she turned around, looking down at the table with food. They'd fought and argued before, but she'd never resorted to calling him names.


Joey stood there for a minute, then let out a curse in Italian, slamming the door as he left.



“Dude, where the fuck have you been?” Justin asked, shoving Joey playfully. He frowned when his bandmate just glared at him. “What's up, Superman?” he asked quietly, all of them bringing their hands in for the usual 'NSYNC' yell before they went on stage.


“I'll deal with Mel later,” Joey replied, his voice low. She'd pissed him off, but he was going to get through the show. He had other things to worry about besides Lance's little sister. Other things, but what she'd said really tore him up.


“Oooo, so you had a fight. Who won, dawg?” Chris chimed in, getting a slap in the head from JC. “What? He must have tried to kiss her or some bull if she's pissed at him.”


“Will you shut up,” Justin hissed, the mics coming on in a few seconds.


Joey just shook his head, taking his place on the lift to raise the group up on the stage. He could tell you every note to every song and dance move, every part he talked at. He gave a smile to Kristen, finding her down in the pit. His eyes wandered over to the empty chair a few seats over. Joey looked over at JC, who gave him a raised eyebrow as they both sang and he gave a small shrug. He couldn't get away from that side of the stage, so he just sucked it up.


The sounds of the concert could be heard, the crowd singing along to the songs, shouts and screams of fans, the muffled talking of the guys. Melissa Bass stayed in the catering room, picking at her food until she finally threw it away, disgusted. Travis would still be working and there wasn't anywhere she wanted to just sit, so she walked around. Pausing at the door that would lead her around to the pit, she sighed. Two more shows and Kristen would be back in her hometown of Pittsburgh. Things could go back to normal. Or as much normal as a tour could get. She smiled at one of the security guys.


“Sup, Mo?” she said, high fiving the guy who dwarfed her, all muscles and mean looking until he smiled.


“Not much, sister. You're missing your boy...”


“Whatever. He's being a jerk,” she said, shaking her head. Melissa heard a pause in the show and moved then, opening the door. She could maneuver around between the costume people and backup dancers quick enough.


It was dark and a hand caught Melissa's shoulder before she got all the way out to the pit. “Apologize to him,” a deep voice whispered to her. “Now.”


Melissa turned to see her brother looking at her. “I didn't do anything,” she said quickly, hearing a cough behind Lance, realizing she was standing in their way. Her brother squeezed her shoulder hard. “You got a minute and a half.”


Pressing herself up against a beam under the stage, Mel watched her brother, JC, Chris and Justin walk by with Joey bringing up the rear.


“What did you tell them?” she asked Joey, making him stop. It was close quarters and she could feel his chest rise and fall, his scent a little stronger since he was sweating. A mix of his cologne and deodarant and just...him.


“I didn't say shit. What do you want?” Joey was still pissed and this was not where he wanted to talk at. “We can do this later, Mel. I'm working.”


“I'm sorry, Joey,” she said quickly, swallowing. Melissa wasn't going to cry, but her voice got raspy and thick with emotion. “I hate it when you're mad at me.”


Joey sighed, not ready to talk about it. He was mad and there was no time. “Later,” he bit off, moving past her in a hurry.


Melissa watched him go, sighing deeply. She made her way to the buses, climbing on the one that was for her brother and the rest of the group. There were four more that held the band, back up dancers, crew and opening act. It was a spacious bus and she wandered back to the bunks, taking her shoes off and shoving them in her bag, getting in her bunk and closing the curtain. It was dark, but the noise of the bus engine running kept her awake. As if she could sleep anyway. It would be at least another hour before the guys made it back.


Melissa flipped on her light laid there, staring at the pictures on her wall, most of them of the guys. Taking out her sketchbook, her pencil made lines, finishing up a picture and signing it before she flipped through the book. One picture was taped to the front cover and it made her smile. JC had taken a picture of her and Joey asleep on the couch in the back of the bus. They'd been up playing video games and had fallen asleep. Somehow they'd both ended up under a blanket with her face pressed into Joey's neck, his hat still on backward, his arm around her, controller in his hand. It was one of her favorite pictures, but as far as she knew, Joey hadn't seen it. JC had played it off, giving it to her with a stack of pictures. Turning the light off, she laid there in the dark, her mind a mess.


It did make Joey feel a bit better she'd apologized, but it wasn't what he wanted. He wanted them back to how they were. It was comfortable, and had been that way almost since they met. “Bye Bye Bye,” started and Joey let his mind wander a bit.


Six months into being 'NSYNC, Lance came into the studio with a girl behind him. She was short and blonde, same green eyes as Lance and laughing at something he'd told her. They'd been recording and were taking a break.


“Nice of you to make it back, Lancey poo,” Joey said, thumping him goodnaturedly on the shoulder. “Who did you bring with you?”


“This,” Lance said, bringing his sister in front of him, “is my little sister, Melissa. Mel, this is Joey..Justin, JC, and Chris.”


She blushed and shook their hands, finding a seat to watch them. She was sitting there with a notebook out, her pencil going as she looked and sketched. Joey was the first one done, coming out to sit and watch.


“You're good. Do you draw stuff for money? Or in art class?” he asked, impressed that she'd caught them all in a quick sketch, going back and adding in shading here and there. Joey was lucky to draw a stick figure.


“Just art class. It's all for fun. I'm in choir too, this is my spring break,” Melissa replied, the conversation easy between them until Joey heard his name again.


“Well, we'll have to all go hang out sometime,” he told her, shrugging off the feeling he got when she nodded at him, a small smile on her face.


Joey's thoughts were broken when he realized Justin was looking at him, a raised eyebrow as he was being drug back under the stage to change. “What?” he asked, not sure what had happened.


“You zoned the fuck out, dawg. You were singing and dancing, but it was f-ed up. Like a zombie. If Kristen needs someone else to entertain her while you get some sleep...” Justin didn't finish the sentence, grinning as he changed shirts and pants.


“Stay the hell away from my girlfriend, Timberlake.” Joey took a deep breath and let it out, knowing he couldn't let his mind wander again. Changing clothes as well, he got ready to sing the last set of songs, grinning at Kristen when they got back on stage, pushing other thoughts to the back of his mind.


Chapter 2 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
Here is chapter 2. I have written ahead, and will post as they are read (hopefully reviewed). Please enjoy

“Good show, people! Damn good show!” Justin crowed as they got on the bus. He was juiced up from the show, making noise as he went through the bus. He goosed Melissa's bunk, laughing when a scream came from it and a blonde girl came out, huffing at him.


“You're gonna get yours Timberflake,” she seethed, not hearing the others come in. “Don't make me go all kung fu on your ass.”


Justin grinned more, seeing JC approach Melissa. “Bring it on cup cake,” he taunted, putting up his fists. He watched her raise hers, getting ready to fight him when JC picked her up and tossed her over his shoulder.


Melissa screamed again, beating on JC with her fists. “Put me down! I've had a crappy night- I just want to be left alone by y'all!” she kept beating until she was plopped down on the back of the bus on the couch. She crossed her arms and glared at both guys. “You suck.”


“You missed the show,” JC said, sitting down next to her. “You gonna start skippin' out on us or what?”

“Like you care?” she retorted, still mad. “You've got thousands of girls and women that would absolutely do anything to be in my seat...”


“Oh shut up, woman,” Justin said, handing JC a Playstation controller. “You never miss. Did your period start or what? Get a zit or something?”


Melissa ground her teeth. Justin was a genuis on stage. And as a friend he was great, but he never pulled punches. And he had the mouth of a sailor, which didn't come out until the show was over. Her eyes went to him and back to JC. “How was the show?” she asked, playing off what Justin asked.


JC and Justin's eyes met, and JC shrugged. “Oh you know...it was alright. The same ol' same ol'. Glad Kristen was here to keep Joey on his game,” JC said, his eyes on the tv screen. “You suck ass Justin,” he said, going through NFL teams.


“Kiss my fuckin' ass, Chasez...” Justin cast a glance at the girl next to JC, grinning. “Yeah, that Kristen is something else...”


Melissa rolled her eyes. “Yeah, I get it. She's the best thing ever,” she said sarcastically, getting up. “I have better things to do than talk about Joey's girlfriend. If you two like her so much, you should hang out with her and her boobs falling out of her shirt.”


“Whose boobs are falling out of what shirt?” Chris asked, his eyes wide as he got to the back. “What did I miss?”

“Someone's missing their Joey time,” Justin sang the last words, laughing when he got the bird from Melissa. “I thought you'd never offer.”


“I'm not and I'll thank you to shut the hell up.” Melissa got up off the couch. “I've heard enough about Kristen and Joey! I'm going back to bed and the next person who bothers me is getting a kick in the nuts.” She stomped out of the back and back to her bunk, getting in it and breathing hard, letting tears fall. She'd never cry in front of them, the teasing making it seem like she didn't like Joey as much as she did. He wouldn't know, she wasn't about to ruin their friendship over feelings he might not have. Melissa loved how they were together, able to tell him anything.


The three guys looked at each other and Justin whistled. “She needs to get laid. Quick.”


“She has a boyfriend. I'm sure they've done the deed,” JC replied. “Or if not, it's not like we're keeping her from anything.”


“How long has Mel been mad now? Three days...and how long has Joey been MIA?” Chris chimed in.


“Three days,” the other two replied in unison.


“The next week is going to suck ass unless we get them together. They're like peanut butter and jelly...one without the other is just..wrong,” Chris retorted, flopping down in the spot Melissa had been sitting in.


“You should really go into philosophy, dawg. Billionaire type shit comes out of your mouth,” Justin said with a laugh.



“Shut up and play so I can play winner.” Chris got up and went to a cabinet, pulling out some chips. “Lance should be here in ten. Joey was after him in the shower.”


“There was an image I could've lived without,” JC muttered, sighing. They were all friends with Lance's sister, as well as Joey. They always knew the two of them had a bond, but another week of the silent treatment was going to drive them crazy being on the bus.


*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^


Joey sat on the couch in the back, not able to sleep. The bus was rolling towards Baltimore, their next stop from Chicago. He should be asleep, like the rest of the bus, but his mind wouldn't shut off. The tv replayed in an infomercial and Joey changed it, smiling when he caught “Blues Brothers” on. The smile was short lived however, when he thought back to the words his best friend had hurled at him. He'd never been talked to like that by Mel. He got up, wanting to talk, to resolve what was wrong before the next show. He wasn't going to tell her, but he needed her watching. He needed the goofy smiles and stupid faces she'd make to try and mess him up. He went to her bunk and pulled the curtain back, climbing in.


Melissa felt movement in her bunk and jerked awake. She almost panicked before she realized it was Joey, the scent of his soap reaching her nose. “You're in the wrong bunk,” she said quietly, pressing herself against the inside, but not able to get away from him. Her heart hammered in her chest when he didn't say anything, instead pulling her to him, resting his head on the top of hers. Her ear was pressed into the top of his chest, listening to the thump thump of his heartbeat.


“We need to talk, Melly,” Joey said softly, letting himself relax. Kristen was finally asleep in his bunk, after complaining that it was too small and cramped, but that she'd deal with it. Joey had just let her gripe, not wanting to inform her this is the way he lived for so many weeks out of the year. “Why have you been avoiding me?”


She forced her eyes open, trying not to fall back asleep, being warmer than she was with his body heat filling up the space. “Your girlfriend's here,” she replied, reaching up and around to grab Joeys hair, running her fingers through it. A small smile came to her face when she heard him groan in pleasure. “You're only here cause I play with your hair.”


Joey sighed and closed his eyes, moving to where she could reach his scalp. “You know you can still hang out with me, Mel. Whether Kristen's here or not...” his voice trailed off when her fingers started massaging at his temples. “God that feels good.”


“You're spoiled Fatone,” she replied, praying Kristen wouldn't wake up. As innocent as this all was, it still would look suspicious. Biting her lip, Melissa wondered if she should apologize now, or wait. A part of her, the mean part, wanted to keep taking out her feelings on Joey until Kristen was gone. However, that didn't seem right. “I'm sorry...about earlier.”


“The show sucked,” Joey told her, goosing her side. “Plain ol' sucked.”


“The whole show can't suck, Joseph,” Melissa told him with a small smile, reaching the front of his head and making his hair stick up in the front. “I mean, no one was mad that I know of getting back on the bus. And you can still sing right?”


Joey chuckled, nodding. “I haven't gotten laryngitis yet. The whole show sucked ass cause I was pissed at you. And you weren't there...”


From another bunk they heard Justin softly singing “and I will take you in my arms, and hold you right where you belong...”


“Til the day my life is through, this I promise you,” Melissa sang back, kicking her bunk, getting a knock from underneath her as she laughed. “He's a dork. You sing the next part,” she told Joey, having quit messing with his hair, her arms around him comfortably.


“It's JC's part,” Joey said quickly, not sure his heart and head wanted to be in that space right then, suddenly getting uncomfortable. “I better get outta here, ya know, in case Kristen wakes up.”


Melissa was glad he couldn't see her disappointment as she nodded, letting him go. “Yeah, maybe some other time. Hope you get some sleep, Fatoney.” She smiled at his harrumph at his nickname.


“Sleep well, Melly,” Joey said, untangling himself from her, and getting out of the bunk as fast as he could without it seeming awkward. He closed her curtain afterward, not sure what was wrong. In his mind, he was confused, a thought had come to him and left just as quickly. One he'd never had before. He'd wanted to kiss his best friend. That was wrong, wasn't it? He had a girlfriend and he didn't see Mel like that. Or so he thought. Then when she asked him to sing, the words hit him like a dash of cold water, making him panic.


“Dude, you okay?” Justin asked, looking confused at seeing Joey stand there, a dazed look on his face.


“Yeah...I'm good man. I'm gonna go crash out on the couch in the back,” Joey said, turning to leave.


“You know your hair looks like it got molested. You and Mel had hair sex, you whore,” the other man teased, laughing when Joey tried furiously to flatten it down some. “Just admit it, you have a hot girlfriend and a best friend and can't decide between the two of them.”


Joey stopped mid rub and raised an eyebrow at Justin. “You're delusional, go back to sleep. Besides, Mel has a boyfriend.”


“It's a cover up,” Justin told him, listening to the other man walk off. He laid in his bunk, listening to Melissa try and get comfortable again. He wasn't sure of either of their feelings, but he could see there was something there. He grabbed his headphones and put them on, smiling as music filled his ears, drifting off.


*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^


“Hurry up! Some of us don't take five hours to get ready,” Chris yelled, knocking on the bathroom door. It had only been fifteen minutes, but he needed to pee. The female voice that answered him told him a couple more minutes.


Melissa was furiously trying to hurry, putting her contacts in and brushing her hair and teeth between putting on a shirt and pulling on her mesh shorts. The day was going to be spent on the bus and then in the hotel. She'd change before the show. Pulling the door open, she flattened herself against the wall as Chris pushed her out of the way and shut the door. “You could have said thank you!” she yelled.


“Thank you for getting the hell outta the bathroom!”


Melissa went and put her stuff up, squeezing into Lance's bunk. “Wakey wakey eggs and bakey,” she told her brother, grinning when he opened one and and groaned.


“Go. Away,” Lance mumbled, turning around to face the wall, jumping when his sister found his ticklish spot. “Damn it. Go bother someone else...”


“There's no one else to bother. Justin's a bi-atch to wake up. We're stopping for breakfast in a bit...Reggie said something about IHOP or Denny's.”


“Good for him,” Lance said, pulling his cover over his eyes, “now go away and let me sleep.”


Melissa laid there a few minutes, getting up after listening to her brother's breathing even back out. She went to the back where Chris was watching television, Joey still sleeping on the couch. “You feel better?” she asked him, grabbing a chair that was next to the couch, Chris having claimed the recliner.


“Yeah, after you took forever, I thought my bladder was going to burst,” he replied, nudging her playfully. “How long you staying on tour with us?”


Melissa shrugged. “At least a few more weeks. I wanted to go to NYC and then down the East Coast. I have to go back home and get registered for my college classes.”


“Lance said something about you majoring in Art,” Chris said, the two of them talking through whatever show was on. “You gonna take all the other classes too?”


“Yeah, I got all the info and my mom's gonna turn it in next week and get me enrolled. I am taking online ones for now for my English and Math and everything. I won't actually go to class for a couple semesters,” she explained to him, watching Joey frown in his sleep and then mumble, turning over.


“I love it when he talks in his sleep. He says some funny stuff,” Chris told her with a grin, getting up to go bother Joey. Or at least see if he would talk where they could understand it. “Joey...” he said softly.


“Take a message,” Joey mumbled into the couch cushion, letting out a snore, flopping over.


“Joey...wake up,” Melissa said, going over to sit by him on the couch, messing with his hair a little, surprised when he pulled her down by him.


“Not up yet, sleep....Hair sex..”


Melissa looked at Chris who had his hand clamped over his mouth, trying to breathe and not laugh at the same time. “What are you dreaming about Fatone?” she asked a little louder, watching Joey sleep, grumbling when she tried to get up.


“Nothin,” he said softly, pulling her closer his eyes still closed. “Chicken and waffles.”


*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*


Melissa stepped of the tour bus and stretched, glad to be out of something moving. The other buses had people exiting as well, and she made a b-line for the bus with the stage crew on it. Her smile that she had widened when she saw Travis step off, hugging him and giving him a quick kiss. He'd been with NSYNC for as long as she could remember, thinking he was handsome. Dark blonde hair and blue eyes, an accent since he was from Minnesota. “You sleep well?” she asked as she walked with him, her arm around his waist as he pulled her closer.


“Yeah, you?” he asked, smiling at her, then looking at Joey coming off the bus with his girlfriend. Travis James had never minded his girlfriends friendship with the rest of the guys in the group, having seen them all together for so long. He knew Melissa and Joey were close, but with Joey's attractive girlfriend and him having her, there wasn't an issue.


“It was alright. It was bus sleeping,” she told him, heading in the door with the others. With the number of people, they were just taking drink orders and making the breakfast bar available to make the line move faster in paying. Melissa grabbed her wallet and started to get money out.


“I got yours,” Travis said, handing over the money to the cashier before she could finish.


“Thanks. I could have paid...I try to tell you and Lance and Joey that, but you all go deaf,” Melissa told him as they grabbed plates and utensils. “Don't eat all the cantalope you bum,” she told Joey, bumping him a little as he stood at the part of the food bar that held the fruit.


“No one put your name on it, Bass. I could go buy this place and it would be mine.”


Melissa rolled her eyes at him, laughing, “Don't be a show off.” She watched where Travis was sitting and took the tongs from Joey that he had with his food. “Thanks, Fatoney.”


“Just for that, I'm making you sing later today,” Joey told her, pretending to pout. “You better be ready. You never know when or where.”


People moved around them, josteling them and Melissa just smirked. “Bring it on, Joey.”


“Fine.”


Melissa left Joey where he was, making her way over to her boyfriend. She sat down and sighed. “Sometimes, I think he's got the brain of a ten year old.”


Travis raised an eyebrow at her, seeing Kristen look their way and frown. “What now?” he asked, having gotten used to the fact that his girlfriend was always in some sort of limbo with the other man, joking and kidding around was like breathing to them.


“A sing off. Again,” Melissa said, spearing the piece of fruit and eating it, grinning at Joey who just glared at her from where he was.


“What are you doing?” Kristen asked, watching Joey glare at the blonde over from them. She'd avoided Lance's sister as much as she could. She didn't dislike her, but there was still something that just didn't set right. She looked at her plate, figuring she wasn't going to eat a whole lot, then at Joey's. “Are you going to eat all that?” she asked him, her stomach doing flip flops.


“Yeah, I planned on it,” Joey said, unconcerned as he cut into a belgian waffle. He was hungry and didn't apologize for eating, burning off more calories than he consumed, thanks to singing and dancing every night, not to mention the practices, photo shoots and everything else.


“So I wanted to do some shopping today...” Kristen said, pressing up against Joey, wanting him to get a good view of her cleavage. “I'm sure there's a mall in Baltimore...” her voice trailed off and she let that sit with him.


“Malls are a bitch to be in,” Joey told her, stopping a minute to explain. “Security has to be tighter and then if fans find out you are there...” he shuddered a little bit. He loved the fans, didn't mind the autographs, but if he wanted to shop and do his own thing, he didn't want to be stuck IN somewhere. “Downtown has some cool shops,” he said by way of a counter offer. “And some good places to eat,” he added, looking hopeful.


“What time are you gonna be done today?” Melissa asked Travis, listening to other conversations around her, but focusing on him. “Maybe we can go eat before the show.”


“Should be around three. I'll call you if we get done earlier than that.”


Melissa nodded, getting up to get a small plate of fruit. Walking by Joey, she thwacked him on the back of the head, laughing when he growled.


Joey turned and looked at Mel, having been right in the middle of a conversation when he'd gotten thumped. “You know I hate that, Mel,” he snapped, his voice having an edge to it. “Play with my hair, drop ice down the back of my shirt, but don't fuckin' hit me on the back of the head.”


Melissa stopped, surprised at his attitude, holding her hands up in defense. “Sorry. Damn. What did she do? Ask to borrow your credit card?” she shot back, not noticing more people get quiet.


If the hit to the head didn't piss him off, the words that had been said the day before came back. Joey's eyes darkened and he got up, looking at Kristen. “I'll be back,” he said, grabbing Melissa's wrist, pulling her along. He ignored the snickers and whispers as they went out the door. He took a couple deep breaths as he walked towards the busses. “What. The fuck. Was that?” he bit off, turning to face her and let her go.


Frowning at him, she put her hands on her hips and glared. “I forgot. I'm sorry! And then you get pissy. We were fine twenty minutes ago. What the hell is your problem?” she exclaimed, gesturing to him.

“I suddenly remembered we didn't have our fight out. And you pissed me off so damn bad last night..I'm not an asshole, Mel. I'm a nice guy. And yet you get your panties in a wad when Kristen comes. Can't you two just get a long?” Joey didn't want them to be best friends, but he knew how women were. Men were almost as bad, but he wasn't going to admit that.


“Whatever.” Melissa sighed, shaking her head at him. “I hate it that I haven't seen you for three days and she'll be here until Friday. I have nothing to say to her. All she talks about is shopping and clothes.”


“You might take some tips from her.” Joey instantly regretted his words, seeing Melissa blink a few times. “Melly...” he started, taking a step toward her, “I'm sorry.” It was disheartening when she didn't turn around to look at him. The show tonight was going to be bad if she didn't show up and Joey knew he had to think fast if he wanted her there. “You can't stay mad at me,” he said, pulling her back to face him. “I need you in your seat tonight.”


Melissa looked at him then, listening to the traffic and noise around them, tears coming down. “Why? You just called me ugly and bitched me out in front of everyone. Why do you need me there? You have your beautiful girlfriend here with you..” her voice trailed off as she looked down.


Joey swallowed hard, pulling her face back up. “I could have everyone else I know and love there, but I need you there. I just do...” he faltered, kissing her coming back to the forefront of his mind. He squashed that thought once more. “I'm not sure what I'd do if you wore make up and heels and a dress. I mean, you always look good...” Joey mentally slapped himself again. “Just accept my apology before you decide to go on tour with the Backstreet Boys.”


Melissa's mouth twitched as she reached up to wipe her face with the back of her hand. “You make that a tempting offer. I guess I'll forgive you. I'm not gonna hit you in the back of the freakin' head again. I really did forget you hated that. And then you went all ass hat on me.” Melissa knew there was more to it than that but she wasn't about to tell Joey what she was thinking, which was something along the lines of sneaking back to the bus and making out. That wasn't going to happen, at least not between them and she wasn't about to think about Joey and Kristen making out.


“I know, I know,” Joey said, pulling her into a hug. “Let's go back and eat. I'm sure Justin will send someone out to see if we're fighting.”

“One of these days I'm going to tell him to mind his own business,” Melissa said, sniffling, using the hug as an excuse to soak up some of Joey's cologne.


Joey chuckled, standing there another minute. “We cool, Melly?” he gave her a grin, pulling at her ponytail.


“Copastetic, Fatoney. Next time you should throw your napkin down for a more dramatic effect.”


It went on in a joking manner back into Shoney's both of them going to sit down in their respective seats and continuing to eat as if nothing happened.


“What the heck was that?” JC whispered to Lance, watching his friend look at his sister.


“Some people fight because they hate each other. Others fight because that's all they can do.”


JC looked at Lance, confused. “Did that slap to the head hurt you too?”


“I give it til Christmas,” Justin chimed in on the other side of Lance. “Something will happen. Good. Bad. The end of the world...” he said, a sly smile coming to his face. Justin claimed to be the busy body of the group, knowing more than most. He'd not gotten the whole story yet, but he would.


“Do I even want to know?” Kristen asked harshly, folding her arms.


“It's over. Don't worry about it.”


Kristen's eyes went over to the other woman, watching her talk with Travis, gesturing towards them. “If you say so,” she told Joey with a sigh, putting on a smile and going on to talk about plans for the next town, glad when Joey suggested a nice date.


“We'll go out to dinner somewhere nice, go see a movie or something,” he said, reaching for her hand under the table, giving her a small smile. Joey reminded himself that Kristen was the woman he loved, that he wasn't going to sacrifice a relationship for something he had a fleeting thought about, best friend or not.


“So is that going to happen again?” Travis asked, looking at his girlfriend as she finished eating, having thought about going outside to see what they were fighting about.


“Nah. Just over stupid stuff,” Melissa explained, giving him a smile. People were getting up and going to the restrooms and looking around a bit before going to get back on the bus. She moved her plate to the end of the table and looked at Travis. He'd been a great boyfriend so far, enjoying her time with him and that they had some things in common. She'd known him a long time, and he'd not ever asked her to change who she was. “You ready to go?”


Travis nodded, getting up, leaving a tip. He pulled Melissa to him and kissed her soundly. He smiled when someone wolf whistled. “I just had to kiss that pretty face before I get to work in a little bit,” he told her, his arm around her as they left.


The smile on her face said it all, loving to be told that as Melissa walked out feeling wonderful. She missed Joey's momentary look of surprise as they passed the other couple, for once not worried about anyone else. “You just wanted to kiss me like that in public to see if you could do it again,” she countered, kissing him much like she did her in front of the busses.


“Get a room,” someone said, making them break apart and laugh.


“See you in a little while,” Travis told her, going to step on his bus. He'd not seen the look she was giving him before, but he was encouraged by it. He wanted as many brownie points as he could get, wanting the girl and everything else that came with it, some things that hadn't happened yet physically between them. “Maybe?” he asked, giving her a bigger grin and inuendo.


“You're a lot closer than you were before breakfast,” Melissa told him, stepping up to give him one more kiss. “See you in a little while.” She practically skipped back to the bus she'd been riding on, finding a seat to sit and watch television, lost in her own thoughts.



Chapter 3 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
Okay so here is chapter 3. Trying to get you all caught up on things.  I see quite a few reads, would love reviews!! Even if it's just to say post more or whatever. Even so, enjoy and stay *NSYNC. ;)


Melissa opened one eye when her hotel phone rang, reaching over for it. “Hello?” she mumbled, having gotten to the hotel room and crashing out.


“Hey, we got done a little early, Travis said, listening to his girlfriend try and wake up. “You want to get up and go do something and then eat?” He waved at a couple of his buddies on the crew as he walked around back where the equipment was.


“Sure. Give me a bit to get ready and then I'll grab a taxi and come down to the arena and we can go.” They talked a few more minutes before getting off the phone and making herself get out of bed. She'd be coming back there tonight, which was nice. No unpacking and packing back up in the span of a few hours. Flipping the light on, she opened her suitcase and sighed, seeing her toiletries bag open. Her toothpaste was missing. “Joey,” she mumbled, grabbing her key card. He'd told her he'd gotten into her stuff while they were on the bus.


Joey heard a knock on the door and barely opened his eyes. “What? Go away...” he said, the room dark and freezing cold. The person knocked again and he got up, barely opening the door. “Yeah?” he said, looking at Melissa looking disheveled as well.


“I need my toothpaste, Fatone.” Melissa felt a blast of cold air when he answered, goosebumps coming up on her skin.


“Oh. Yeah.” Joey opened the door wider for her to come in. “Kristen is shopping,” he said by way of explanation, turning on the bathroom light, going back to bed. He listened to his friend rummage around. “You find it?”


Melissa sighed. Joey was a hair product whore, and with all his other stuff, she just ended dumping it out on the counter. “It was on the bottom,” she said, going to put everything back, smelling his cologne. “You're almost out of smell good stuff.”


“Yep. Get more later,” he grunted, his eyes closed. He felt the bed move a minute later and he sighed. “Melly, I want sleep.” Joey was really tired and knew he'd be grumpy later if he didn't get rest. Her hands found his hair and he smiled, relaxing as she rubbed and messed with his hair. “You're one in a million.”


“More like one in a googleplex,” Melissa said, scooting closer to him to get warm. She listened to Joey get back to sleep as she rubbed his head, smiling when he started snoring. She made it back to her room and got ready, excited about going out with her boyfriend. Travis was more serious than her most of the time, but they got along well. It took her about half an hour to shower and get ready, calling a cab. She waved at her boyfriend when the cab pulled up to the back of where the show was going to be. “Hey,” she said, giving him a kiss after he got in. “What do you want to do?”


“I don't care, long as it involves food sometime in between now and then,” he replied, the driver suggesting restaurants as they drove along. “You want to go look at some shops?” Travis smiled as Melissa nodded. They got out downtown, going in a few different places.


Melissa bought some things for her mother and some of her friends and relatives. She spotted a t-shirt store and drug Travis in. She snickered when she saw an old NSYNC t-shirt. “Lance hated that photo shoot. He was sick and they kept telling him to smile. He told me he wanted to give the guy the finger.”


Travis laughed as they looked through shirts, each of them grabbing a couple they liked. He raised an eyebrow when Melissa cheered, pulling out a Superman t-shirt. “I take it you're feeding Joey's obsession?” he asked, shaking his head.


“It's an unwritten rule,” she said, pulling out another shirt as well. “I know he doesn't have these.” It didn't bother Melissa at all to shop for Joey or any of the other guys, grabbing the rest of them a shirt as well. “I know they can get most of their stuff for free or whatever, but it's fun to shop.”


“Women and shopping should be considered a sporting event,” Travis said as they went to the register. He grabbed the bags and they continued on. All too soon it was time to head back to the arena. “Dinner was good...” Travis said, his arm around his girlfriend, a smile on his face.


“That was great. I'm glad I got that recipe from them for the dessert.”


Travis looked at her, a little confused. “You told me you didn't like to cook.”


“I don't. My mom will make it,” she replied, shrugging. Melissa didn't mind cleaning, and could cook, she just preferred not to. And if truth be told, when she and Lance were home, Lance cooked. Or Joey came over and cooked, but she had yet to tell Travis that. They'd been together a couple of months, but she still wanted to keep her friendship with Joey separate from her and Travis' relationship.


Travis nodded, grabbing some of the bags as they got out. They showed their passes and got into the back where people were already milling around, getting things ready.


“I'll see you later?” Melissa asked him, taking the bags when they got to the door marked NSYNC. She could hear voices and knew at least part of the guys were there.


“Yeah, I'll call you when I'm done.” Travis leaned in and kissed Melissa, deepening the kiss, neither one of the them hearing the door open.


Melissa kissed Travis back, jumping when she realized they were being watched. She blushed furiously and told her boyfriend bye.

“Ooooo...Melly was kissing a boy...” JC said, grabbing a bag and looking down in it. “Where's my present?” he asked her, pouting like a little kid.


“I didn't get you nothing, JC,” she said, taking her bag back, then rummaging through it. “Here, you big baby,” she said, handing him the t-shirt.


“What about me? I want one,” Chris said quickly, hopping over the couch. “You better have brought enough to share.”


“I did,” she told him, pulling out their shirts. She looked around, not seeing Joey and frowned. “Where's Fatone?” She raised an eyebrow when they all suddenly wouldn't look at her and Lance's face reddened.


“When we knocked on his door...uh..” Lance stammered, shrugging, leaving it for someone else to tell.


“They were doing some horizontal mambo shit,” Justin chimed in, kissing her cheek quickly. “Thanks for the shirt, chica.”


“Ah. Okay then,” she said, biting her bottom lip. She took out the Superman shirts and laid them over the chair he'd sit in for make up. She kept telling herself not to get upset, that it's what couples did when they were in love and in a relationship. She and Joey had never kissed, but they were always touching in some way, however nothing romantic. “I'm gonna go watch Brit practice,” she told them, leaving her stuff by Lance's chair.


The four men watched the younger girl leave and then looked at Joey's chair.


“If he sucks tonight, I'm kicking his ass,” Justin said after a minute, going over and looking at Joey's shirts. He whistled at one. “How many friends buy you a shirt that's seventy five bucks?”


Lance was busy messing with his phone when his head snapped up. “I can't even get her to buy a pair of jeans for fifty,” he looked at his shirt, seeing the price tag. It wasn't cheap either. His sister didn't get paid to come on tour but he always put money in her account, since she did so much stuff for them that others didn't have time for. Especially running to the store for day to day crap. Not that they didn't go shopping, but when you just needed deodorant or toothpaste, it was easier to send her in rather than cause a riot. “She bought herself some stuff too,” he said, looking in the bag next to his chair.


Melissa was sitting in the front row watching Britney Spears warm up and dance, singing along softly to “Oops I Did It Again”. She waved to the blonde girl when Britney waved at her, then shook her head when she motioned for her to get up on stage.


“Come on,” Britney said, waiting for Lance's sister. “You know the moves right?” she said, teaching her a bit for continuing, having fun goofing off.


Melissa didn't know all the moves but enough to keep up when they were going slow, knowing there was no way she would do this if people were watching, or the crowd that was going to be there later, filled to the last seat with screaming fans.


“We're late,” Joey told Kristen, aggravated that he'd told her they didn't have time to have sex but she wouldn't take no for an answer. He paused when he saw Melissa on stage with Britney, shaking her hips to “I'm a Slave 4 U” then singing the chorus with Britney as the other girl laughed. Joey swallowed quickly as one of Brit's back up dancers grabbed her to dance with them. He found Kristen glaring at him.


“What are you doing?” she asked, watching Joey watch them on stage. “I asked you if we were doing something after the show...”


“It will probably be a group thing,” he told her, giving her a kiss. “I gotta go get ready and then we'll be out to warm up.” His eyes drifted back to his best friend, wondering what the hell was wrong with him. “What's up?” he asked the rest of the group when he got into the dressing room, watching them all get quiet.


“I tried calling you five times,” Chris said, sighing. “Glad you could freaking make it.”


“Don't bust my balls,” Joey retorted, grabbing the shirts off the back of his chair. “Where'd these come from?” he asked, grinning at the shirts.


“Mel. She got us all something, so don't go getting the big head. 'Cept she didn't spend a hundred and fifty bucks on anyone else,” Justin said with a grin. “I guess she figures we can all go shopping, other than you of course. Your clothes matching skills suck.”


Joey laughed, playing off the fact, but he was stoked to have some new threads, especially ones he would wear a lot. “Cool,” he said, taking the button up and slipping it on over the t-shirt he had on after removing the tag. “You should know your sister was up on stage with Britney,” he told Lance. “Shaking her hips,” he added, chuckling at his friends astonished look.


“And the worst part is, dawg, that you noticed,” Justin told him before they left the dressing room.


“I have a girlfriend,” he reminded the rest of the guys as they went towards the stage.


“I just want to know if you're reminding us or yourself.” Justin's voice was quiet, close to Joey's ear. “You can be in love with two people at once. That's all I'm saying, dude.”


Joey just nodded, his eyes going to the front row where his best friend was, giving a big grin and pulling her up onto the stage when she came bounding up to see him. “Thanks for the shirts,” he told her, pulling her in for a hug.


Melissa wrapped her arms around Joey, laughing when he tickled her, trying to get away. “Sing my song,” she said between breaths, finally getting away.


“You heard the lady, Justin. She wants her song,” Joey announced, grinning.


“What's it worth to you?” Chris asked, raising an eyebrow as they sang rounds of do-re-mi.


“I'll let Joey dye part of my hair purple,” she told them, a smile spreading across her face. Joey had been begging her to let him take her to dye her hair some outrageous color. He'd done his all red before, and he always had teased her about coloring her hair.


“Purple hair,” JC replied, looking at the other four, nodding. “You do that and buy us dinner one night and we have a deal.”


“Yep. Sing.” Melissa watched them pull up stools around her. She couldn't help it, blushing a little when they started. “I Thought She Knew” was her favorite song to hear them sing with no back up from the band, just their five voices. Her face flushed a little more when it came to Joey's part, him giving her a wink. When it was done, she clapped, hugging them all. She hugged Joey last, kissing him chaistly on the cheek. “You're the best.”


Joey chuckled, shrugging the kiss off, ignoring the buzzing feeling it gave him. He looked out at the arena and saw that Kristen had made it, standing there with a snarl on her lip. He gave her a wave with the hand holding Melissa at her back, letting his friend go. He'd deal with his girlfriend later, watching the other girl get off the stage and make her way to her usual seat before turning back to them.


*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Joey winced as Kristen slammed her purse down in the hotel room, cursing when it fell off the table in into the floor. She'd given him the evil eye the rest of the night and announced that she wanted to go straight to the hotel and to bed, not out with everyone else. Joey resigned himself to this fact and told them he was turning in as well. “You gonna tell me what the problem is?” he asked, flopping down across the bed to lean up against the pillows, his hair still damp from the shower after the show.


“Like you don't know!” Kristen huffed, shoving stuff back in her purse. “This whole week, that girl..Meredith, Megan..whatever her name is, Lance's sister, has been hanging on you like she's afraid you're going to run away and never come back. And then she kissed you tonight.”


Joey grabbed the remote and turned the television on, muting it. “Her name's Melissa. I've known her for five years, now, Kris. And before you get huffy, it was a kiss on the cheek. I don't want her romantically...we hang out a lot, we goof off, we have fun.”


“You should tell her that, cause she looks at you like you're George Clooney or Brad Pitt,” Kristen said as she stood up and went to sit on the bed beside Joey. “I'll tell her to back off if you won't.”


Joey snorted and resisted rolling his eyes, turning his head to look at Kristen. “She has a boyfriend she likes a lot. If you can't handle me having friends that are female, then we can end this shit right now. I don't throw my friends away for a piece of ass, and if you'd like to be referred to as more than just that, you better change your attitude really damn quick.” There was only so much bullshit he'd put up with, and he wasn't going to listen to her fume and piss and moan all night.


Kristen's mouth opened and then shut, and Joey could hear her grinding her teeth, taking a deep breath. “Let's order some room service or something. Does that sound alright?” she tried, glad when Joey nodded, grabbing the room service menu. “Sorry, Joey.”


“Yeah. I'll talk to her if you want. We don't realize how stupid we act sometimes,” he said after a minute. Kristen was smart and very pretty, and Joey was first attracted to her body and looks when they met. He didn't really want to break up with her, so he'd just deal with the less volitale relationship. Mel would always be there for him, she'd never had a problem with one of his girlfriends before. Besides that, he reminded himself begrudgingly that she had Travis. He thought Travis was okay, but somewhat of a tool, but if he treated Melissa good then that's what mattered, he reminded himself, grinning as he watched Kristen undress to put on some sleep clothes.


*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^


It was very early in the morning when Melissa made her way back to the hotel. Travis had decided he didn't want to come out, not feeling well after the show. That left her with the rest of the group to go out and eat and hang out. She'd even managed to stop at a Super K-Mart that was open all night. She grabbed her keycard and went to open her door when she heard another open. Smiling, she looked at Joey who was rubbing his face. “Morning. Well, sorta.”


“Hi. I couldn't sleep,” he said, shuffling over to where she was. Joey grunted when Mel messed with his hair, his eyes half closing.


Melissa played with the red tips and then opened her door, holding it open for him. “Come in and I'll get you your stuff. I even got you more toothpaste so you wouldn't steal mine.”


Joey chuckled, going in behind her. “That's half the fun of using yours,” he said, sitting down on her bed, watching her go through stuff. He laughed when he realized he was holding toothpaste, cologne, and a bra. “Uh, Melly..I don't think I need this,” he held it up with one finger, the purple undergarment hanging in front of his face.


“What?” Melissa said, distracted until she turned around, blushing deep red as she snatched it up from him. “Sorry..I..I'll just put it up,” she stammered, shoving it back into a bag. She'd bought a red one too, both of them lacy, but with a little padding. “You weren't supposed to see that.”


“You get embarrassed at the funniest shit,” Joey told her, shaking his head. “I have a girlfriend and a sister...I've seen a bra before.”


“Shut up. I've seen underwear before, that doesn't mean I want to see yours,” she replied, turning around to face Joey, her eyes falling to the shorts he was wearing, her mind churning with the burning question of boxers or briefs.


“Briefs, if you were wondering,” Joey told her, watching her squirm more like he'd read her mind. The conversation he'd had with his girlfriend about telling Melissa to back off a little went to the back of his mind. He loved having someone he could embarrass and harass and not worry about how she was going to take it. That other conversation could wait for another day. Besides that, Joey's mind had wandered to where it wasn't supposed to go again.

Chapter 4 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
Read, review...but most of all ENJOY. Let me know if you are liking it.

“You do not have that many good cards, Chris. You suck at poker,” Melissa told him, eyeing the remaining cards and the ones laid down. They'd been on the road for an hour, headed to New York. She'd gotten suckered into playing the game when Lance got up and left.


“I'm calling,” Chris said, laying his cards down, “read 'em and weep.”


Melissa glared at him and laid hers down, shaking her head. “That was just dumb luck.”


“Or just dumb,” JC said with a laugh. “I'm out, Justin needed me to look over a song he was writing.”


Chris, Joey and Melissa watched him leave, then started shuffling the cards back in the deck. Melissa was relieved that Kristen had said she was going to find a quiet spot and call her friends and her mother, not wanting to spend four hours on a bus entertaining Joey's girlfriend.


“So,” Chris asked, dealing out cards again, looking at the both of them,” how about we play truth or dare poker.”


“Really?” Joey asked, shaking his head. “That's the dumbest thing I think I've heard today.”


“Just because you're too much of a chicken shit to do anything. Mel will do it, won't you?” Chris asked, a big smile coming to his face. He knew the one downside to being the only female on the bus most of the time was that she tried to prove herself. And going along with their stupid antics was one of the things she did. Not to fit in or to prove anything, but because it was actually fun.


“Whatever,” she replied. “You haven't come up with anything yet that I haven't done, so this should be a piece of cake.” Melissa fiddled with her hair, pulling it back and securing it with a ponytail and adjusted her glasses.


“If she's in, I'm in,” Joey told them, watching Chris deal the cards. He picked them up and grinned. If he won, he'd give his buddy hell.


The game ended quick though, with Chris winning. His eyes narrowed at them, a sly grin coming to his face. “Truth or dare, Fatone.”


“Dare,” Joey replied, not worried in the least.


“I dare you to kiss her,” he said, pointing to Melissa. He grinned wider when they both just looked at him as if he'd asked both of them to drink poison. “You two aren't attracted to each other right? So it shouldn't be a problem.” He leaned back in his chair and watched, waiting.


“Fuck this,” Joey spat, getting up quickly. “I'm going to the back.” He wasn't about to kiss his best friend, especially not on the bus or in front of anyone. The thing that made it worse was that he did want to kiss her, and Joey was afraid if he did that he might not want to stop.


“It's just a kiss, Joey. I mean, it's not going to hurt anything.” Melissa, got up, standing in front of him, her hands resting lightly on his chest. Her green eyes met his brown ones and Melissa prayed her hands wouldn't start trembling.


“She wants you to kiss her, man. You better do it before she decides she wants nothing to do with your ass and becomes my best friend...it's a dare,” their friend told them both.


Joey swallowed hard, looking around before looking back down at Melissa. His undoing was her biting her lip, a nervous habit that she did as she gave him a small smile. “What's one kiss going to hurt?” he rumbled, pulling her closer. “It's just a stupid game.” The rest of Joey's body and his brain weren't on board with the thoughts coming out of his mouth. His hands did what they wanted in a span of a few seconds, one hand holding Mel's cheek, his fingers brushing her ear while the other was resting on the small of her back.


Melissa's heart was jackrabbiting out of her chest once her body was flush with Joey's. All the noise of the bus had left and all she saw was her friend. Her arms went around his neck. “One kiss,” she whispered, waiting for him to make the first move.


Joey barely nodded, brushing his lips against hers. Her lips were soft, and warm and he looked at her, not waiting before claiming Melissa's mouth once again. This time he didn't hold back, kissing her long and hard. Joey didn't care that Chris was watching, groaning a little when he felt a tug on his hair, moving his head to where she had better access.


Melissa smiled against his lips, returning Joey's kiss with fervor. This wouldn't ever happen again, so she was going to enjoy it. Her hands found their favorite spot, making Joey's hair a mess. She opened her eyes once or twice just to peek and make sure she really was kissing her best friend.


“What the fuck is going on up in here?” Justin exclaimed, ignoring Chris' nonverbal cues to leave them alone, not sure what to think himself. He grinned wider when the couple jumped apart. “Tell me what the hell that was, dawg.”


Joey's eyes met Justin's and then went to Melissa's. He couldn't do this right now. As much as his heart told him to just jump, he was holding back. His girlfriend was on the bus and his best friend was...he wasn't sure. “It was just a damn game. Chris dared me to kiss Mel, so I did. It didn't mean anything.” His heart twisted at those last words, knowing it was an outright lie.


Melissa swallowed hard, her eyes glossing over. “Yeah,” she said, her arms holding herself, nodding slightly. “It was nothing, Justin,” she quickly wiped away a tear and made her way to where the bunks were before more tears fell.


Chris and Justin both watched Melissa leave and then both of them looked at Joey. “You might wanna go, uh, take care of that,” Chris said quietly, getting up. He wasn't sure what was going on, but the twilight zone seemed to be a safer place than the bus right now.


“Take care of what?” Joey asked, his brain still a little fuzzy from the kiss.


“Dude, I'm Switzerland. Nice boner, Fatone. Looks like it didn't mean anything to the rest of you either,” Justin told him, folding his arms over his chest. “I gotta say though, I've never seen you kiss a woman like that before. That was fuckin' epic.”


“Screw off,” Joey growled at Justin, making his way to the bathroom. He wasn't embarrassed, but it was awkward, especially now since he had kissed Mel. They'd always been comfortable with one another, always touching or goofing off physically. He'd put his arm around her,hug her and kiss her cheek in telling her goodbye. The feel of her lips on his came back to his mind and he felt the bulge in his pants harden a bit more and he slipped a hand down in his underwear, readjusting. God help him if someone knocked on the door in the next fifteen minutes.


Kristen didn't hear what was said or know exactly what was going on, but the look on Joey's face as he stomped toward the bathroom and then the look on Chris' face was enough to make her curious. She pursed her lips and paused, hearing sniffling coming from the bunk across the narrow hall from where Joey's was. She pulled the curtain back slightly. “You alright?” she asked, her hand on her hip. “I hope Joey talked to you and you decided to back off. He's mine, he doesn't want anything to do with you.”


Melissa blinked, wiping tears. She scooted out and got out of the bunk, crossing her arms. “It wasn't anything like that,” she said, her voice soft. “And besides that, I'm not doing anything with Joey, he's my friend.”


Kristen laughed, circling Melissa. “Oh honey, don't lie. Beneath those frumpy t-shirts and jeans you want to be beautiful and you want him to notice you. You wish you had the looks and body, but it's just not going to happen. He's happy with me.”


JC stopped, hearing women's voices. It was like watching a trainwreck waiting to happen and he wasn't sure what to do, standing there. He'd been on the receiving end of a verbal bash and knew how his friend felt as the insults went on.


“If he was happy with you, then he wouldn't have kissed me!” Melissa yelled at the other woman, listening to all she could. “That's right, he kissed me!” Melissa couldn't believe she was telling Kristen this, for a second watching the other woman get mad. The slap to her face shocked her and she stood there in shock, her face stinging.


“Even an ugly tramp gets lucky once,” Kristen spat out, unwilling to listen to anymore after slapping the shorter girl. She wasn't about to be swayed by something like that, not willing to lose Joey to some girl who was just his friend. “You better leave us alone.”


Joey stopped behind JC, feeling better than he did a bit ago, frowning when he heard voices. “What's going on?” he asked JC, the other guys getting up as the voices got louder. When JC rushed forward, Joey did too.

“Fucking that's enough!” he yelled before the women could get in an actual fist fight, holding Melissa off from behind him. Joey glad JC was there, hearing his friend grunt, probably from a kick. Kristen tried to get around him, but Joey shoved her back. “What kind of bullshit brought this on?” he said, his voice dripping venom. Joey's eyes narrowed at the two women, keeping them apart. “Jesus freaking Christ, we're on a goddamn bus and this is not some damn wrestling pay per view! Now what happened?,” Joey asked loudly, shaking his head when they both started to talk. “Ya know what, I don't wanna know!”


His eyes narrowed at Kristen as she grumbled, glaring at Melissa. “I'll drop you so fast you'll be in Pittsburgh before we get to New York. I can make it happen.” Joey turned to look at Melissa, not missing the fact that her cheek was very red with a handprint on it. “Don't do this to me, bambina,” he said softly, hating it when a tear ran down her cheek. Joey blew a breath out, looking at both women. “I see so much as you glare in the other person's direction, you're both on my list.”


Melissa felt utterly stupid, leaning back against JC. Her face hurt, her pride was hurt as well as her heart. She was fooling herself in thinking that the kiss meant anything, only in her mind it did. It was a fantasy, something that wasn't real. She was too old to believe in that sort of thing, this confirmed it. “Let me go,” she told JC, going to the back, not even looking at anyone. She stood on the couch and got the first aid kit out of the cabinet above the couch, sitting back down with it. Sniffling, Melissa sat there a few minutes, letting tears fall.


“You know we love you, Melly,” Justin said softly, sitting down next to her on the couch, pulling her in for a hug. “You're our girl.”


“Thanks Timberlatke,” she said, chuckling at butchering his last name. “It was just stupid. I feel stupid..” Melissa's voice trailed off, listening to the television play the news. She wiped tears that threatened to fall, giving her brother a small smile as he walked into the back.


“Forget about her,” Lance told his sister, putting his arm around her comfortingly, “we're going to be in New York City in a couple of hours and we'll be doing a show. You'll be front and center for it all.”


Melissa nodded, biting her lip and sighing. She knew Lance was trying to distract her and get her mind on something else. She thought about what she'd want to do in the city and wished it were winter so they could go ice skating at Rockefeller Plaza. However now it was the end of July, so that wasn't going to happen. As her grandmother would tell her, she had to buck up.

Letting her thoughts weave in and out as she listened to the conversation between the guys coming and going, Melissa did frown about one thing. Joey hadn't shown up in the back, which meant he was with her. The little green monster was still not gone she silently acknowledged. Getting up, she paused. “I'm taking a nap. No messing with me,” she eyed Justin with a glare.


“Wouldn't dream of it. Scout's fuckin' honor,” he replied, saluting her.


“That's what I'm afraid of,” Melissa muttered, making her way to her bunk and climbing in, shutting the curtain.


*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^


The rest of the afternoon and the show seemed to last forever. Not that it was a bad thing, but Melissa Bass just wished for once in her life she wasn't where she was right then. She'd have gladly been at her and Lance's house they shared, or working a job or even visiting relatives in Mississippi. Anything was better than standing there looking at something you couldn't have. And the kiss she and Joey shared made it all that worse. Those feelings fought to rise to the surface, but were squashed every time Kristen came into view. As much as she wanted Joey, she'd take the friendship. It was worth much more than a stupid kiss.


“What was that you said?” Travis asked her, looking at his girlfriend oddly over the noise of the crowd. He'd been told that he was off tonight after the show, so he grabbed a seat next to Melissa to enjoy the concert, not having been in the front very much to see what all the screaming and noise was about. His girlfriend was acting a bit off, but he figured it was just the tour and maybe woman stuff he knew nothing about. Then she started muttering to herself and he had no clue. “You said something about a kiss...” he prompted, shrugging when she shook her head and shrugged.


“I have no clue,” Melissa told him, wondering what the hell she was doing talking out loud “Damn you Joey,” she said even quieter, sticking out her tongue at her friend as he sang to that side of the stage, getting a grin from him as she found Travis' hand and grabbed it


Joey watched Melissa talk to her boyfriend and smiled at her gesture, then moved on before he could think too much. Thinking was always bad for him, especially if it was about something serious. The serious part of it was that he didn't like his best friend holding Travis James' hand. Even more he didn't like it when she kissed the other guy. That wasn't right, he told himself thinking of his own girlfriend. He and Melissa were both seeing other people. That didn't mean they couldn't be friends, it just meant he couldn't kiss her anymore. He glared at Chris across from him, wondering if the other man had a clue about what he'd done. Joey doubted it, trying to pay attention to what song they were singing instead of his feelings.


“I've loved you forever, in lifetimes before. And I'll promise you never will you hurt anymore,” he heard JC sing, glancing back at his best friend and then his girlfriend. Justin was right, but he'd never admit it. You could love two people at the same time, but Joey's problem was that one of them didn't know how he felt. And that person wasn't the one he was with.


Chapter 5 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
Can't believe all the reads...feeling the love. Thanks so much. :) Enjoy.

The club was loud, the music beating as people danced and others sat around and drank. Melissa rubbed her eyes and sighed. She'd forgotten her glasses case at the hotel and was suffering for it. The group had went to eat and then decided to go out clubbing. She'd wanted to bow out, but Travis had practically begged her. Actually begged wasn't the right word, telling her that everyone else was going and that he wanted to spend time with her while they were in New York City was right, making her to feel guilty. Now Travis was at a table with some of the guys from the setup crew while she was at a booth away from the music. Melissa ordered a Coke and looked through her purse and got out her bottle of Aleve, praying that it would work.


Joey held up his drink and weaved between people. He'd quit drinking almost an hour ago and barely had a buzz. His brow furrowed when he spotted Melissa, her hand over her face as she sat at the table. “What's wrong?” he almost yelled, sitting down across from her. Joey watched as she winced, looking at him.


“My damn glasses are at the hotel and Sir Drinks A Lot isn't ready to go yet,” she said loudly over the music, nodding to where Travis was. “If I take my contacts out, I can't see and my head is about to split wide open.” Melissa looked Joey over and noted he looked tired. “You look worn out yourself, Fatone.”


“I wouldn't bitch if I had went to bed about two hours ago,” he confessed, taking a drink of his Dr Pepper. “Let's get out of here. Our significant others can fend for themselves. I lost Kristen to Britney's dancers anyway and Travis seems to be having a good time.” Something about the way Travis left Melissa by herself irked Joey, but that didn't come out of his mouth. He looked back at Melissa, watching her take out her contacts. “How many fingers am I holding up?” he asked with a chuckle as she pursed her lips.


“Jerk,” Melissa said with a smile as she saw his fingers switch, blurry. “It's between three and four. Three and a half.” She put her contact case up and got up and waited for Joey. Lacing her fingers through his, Melissa tried not to sigh at the feeling. She couldn't see anything far away. Reading anything unless it was close up was out of the question. “Take us home, Joey.”


“As you wish,” Joey told her, unwinding his fingers from hers to put an arm around her and get them through the crowd. He wasn't going to bother telling his girlfriend or Travis they were leaving, but he did catch Lance's eye and motion that he was out. The air was still warm at almost two A.M as they stepped out the door in the back.


A taxi was waiting, not particularly for them, but for a customer in general and the two of them slid in. “Where to?” the driver asked them after they shut the door.


“Waldorf-Astoria Hotel,” Joey said, sighing and laying his head back on the seat, closing his eyes. “You're going with me tomorrow right?” he asked, smiling when Melissa leaned on him and sighed.


“What are we doing tomorrow?” she asked him softly, listening to the noise of New York City.


“Shopping, dinner, comic book store not in that order,” Joey replied, his fingers finding Melissa's and winding through them. “I don't care if Travis wants you, you're with me. Kristen is on a plane in the morning.”


Melissa snorted at his tone, poking Joey's side making him open his eyes and look at her. “I hope you're never that happy when I leave,” she told him, her heart flip flopping when he shook his head.


“I'll always miss you when you leave. Unless of course you've been pissy for a week and then I'm glad you leave for at least the first hour,” Joey told her, laughing when he heard her gasp.


Melissa glared at him, pursing her lips together. “You know that hat from the video shoot you lost? And your light blue Superman shirt? I know where they are...”


Joey sat up a little and looked at her, shaking his head and pulling Melissa to him in a hug. “Oh Melly...” he half sang, messing up her hair then leaned down to where his mouth was next to her ear, “I knew you had those four months ago,” he whispered, grinning widely at her surprised look. “And my other favorite Superman necklace.”


Melissa rolled her eyes at him, sitting sideways in the seat on his lap. She wondered if she should say anything; deciding it was time to tell Joey what she'd neglected to tell Travis. “You know Travis doesn't know that you are at our place most of the time. I mean, you have your own toothbrush in my bathroom. And sleep clothes...regular clothes...” her voice trailed off. Melissa realized that her face and Joey's were only a few inches apart and he was staring at her.


Joey watched his best friend swallow quickly as she got nervous. “You worry way to much. I mean, you aren't gonna change the locks on me are you?” His brown eyes met her green ones and he smiled at her shaking her head. “It's not like we're at your place making out or something.”


Melissa was thanking God the taxi stopped right then, letting her almost face plant as she tried to scramble off Joey's lap and out of the vehicle. She caught herself from falling, goosebumps breaking out when Joey grabbed her from tripping over her feet.


“You okay there, bambina?” Joey asked, concerned that she'd all but lept out of the car. He noticed that her mouth tightened and she nodded, not looking at him. “Talk to me, Mel,” he said as they went through the back straight to the elevators. “You've been acting weird all day, ever since we were on the bus...”


“I've not been weird. I've just been...thinking.” Melissa hoped he'd buy her lie as they got on the elevator and he pressed the button. Shoe sizes, recipes, stupid jokes were running through her mind as she tried not to think about kissing Joey.


Joey could tell when he was purposely being ignored. It aggravated him and he was tired of playing these games. Kristen had done it enough the past week and he wasn't going to start with her. He found the all stop button and hit it, the elevator stopping. “Don't start this, Melissa Nicole,” he warned, crossing his arms. “I'm too tired to listen to you jerk my chain and you're eating your bottom lip,” Joey watched her cower a little and look down. “Talk.”


Melissa knew she was in deep trouble when her middle name came into play from Joey. If she didn't talk it would escalate into a fight. Besides little disagreements, they'd only fought a couple times she could remember, and neither time was anything she cared to relive. “I...was...thinking about..kissing you,” she finally finished, looking at him. “Iwasjustwonderingifyoulikedit,” she said so fast she wasn't sure if she even said it right, blushing.


That wasn't what Joey was expecting to hear, much less what he'd been thinking about. Of course he'd thought about them kissing, trying to shuffle it to the back of his mind. He blinked a few times, a sly smile coming to his face. “Did I like it?” he asked her, surprised she would ask. Joey closed the space between them, his arms going around her. “Did you like it?”


For a moment, Melissa forgot to breathe as she nodded slowly, then stopped. A frown came to her face and she reached up and played with the back of Joey's hair. “I shouldn't have liked it,” she said quietly, trying suppress her fears. She didn't want to hurt her best friend, or be hurt by him. “I mean, we..we're not together, and..” she licked her lips, shaking her head more, scared of what might happen.


Joey caught Melissa's head with one of his hands. “And what, Mel? You're my best friend..you're my buddy's sister?” He felt his phone vibrate in his pocket and ignored it, studying her face. God knew he wanted to kiss her again, to be the man he and the rest of the guys sang about. That thought stopped though when he saw the panic in her eyes. He wasn't going to force himself on her. Joey leaned in and barely touched his lips to hers. “I won't kiss you again, a'ight?” he told her, holding her close, her ear pressed against his chest. “Not til you ask me.”


Melissa closed her eyes and listened to the familiar thump of Joey's heartbeat and nodded, trying not to cry. “Turn the elevator back on. I want my glasses,” she said softly, letting him go when it got to their floor. “You gonna come over and watch tv or something?” she asked him, digging for her key card to her room, praying things between them would go back to normal.


“Sure. Gimme ten minutes, bambina.” Joey watched her nod and ran a hand over his face when her door finally shut. He turned to find Justin standing at his door, the door open and a huge smile plastered on his face. “What?” he said, sighing.


“I just wanna know when the wedding is, dawg. Or when we should expect Mel to hatch a little mini you,” he joked, laughing harder when Joey gave him a double dose of flying the bird.


“Friends,” he ground out, going to his door next to Justin's. “We're with other people, Justin. Not happening with me and her.”


“Too fucking bad,” Justin said, glancing at Melissa's door. “Least one of us poor saps could be happy. I mean like “over the rainbow every day's coming up roses” bullshit. When she leaves in a few weeks, you'll be wishing you'd have stolen her away from that dipshit.”


Joey rolled his eyes at Justin, opening his door. “Go screw your girlfriend, Timberlake and leave me alone. I'm tired and all I want is to go change clothes and watch some tv.”


“Not in your room, dawg.”


“So the hell what? Are you my mother?” Joey said, going into his room, letting the door shut between him and Justin. Joey pulled his shirt off and then undid his pants after kicking off his shoes. “Fuck,” he ground out as his phone vibrated again. He tossed it on the nightstand, watching Kristen's name flash on caller ID. He grabbed a pair of shorts out of his bag and a t-shirt, putting them on and grabbing the keycard.


*^*^*^*^*^*^


“Where in the hell is he?” Kristen hissed, looking at her phone again as Joey's voicemail came on. She was inebriated and upset that her boyfriend left her at the club without so much as a goodbye. The thing that made her the most mad was that Melissa was no where to be found either. “I am so going to give him a piece of my mind,” she said out loud to nobody in particular as the group she was with left the club. It was close to three and she had no intention of being left out of whatever was going on, enjoying the attention she got from being with this group. “You know they're together right?” she drawled out to Travis when she bumped into him, smiling at him and batting her eyes.


Travis just shrugged, feeling a good buzz. “They're usually together. They aren' doin' nothing ya know,” he replied as they walked down the street to another club.


“They kissed earlier today,” Kristen took the surprised look on his face as an opportunity to keep talking. “I think they both liked it. I told her to stay the hell away from Joey.”


Travis didn't say anything, looking Kristen over. He'd all but begged his girlfriend to have sex and she wouldn't but she'd go kiss Joey. That pissed him off, especially since he'd talked to the guys that were there from NSYNC and no one had mentioned anything. Travis sat down at the bar and ordered another Corona, his mind thinking as much as it could with alcohol running through it.


*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^


“I'm in New York City at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in a King size bed and the only thing you can find to watch is Star Wars? You suck, Fatone,” Melissa said, yawning. She was laying with her head on Joey's shoulder, trying not to fall asleep.


“It's either this or Jeepers Creepers,” he teased. Joey knew she hated that movie and it scared her. “Go to sleep if you're tired.”


“You go to sleep. Turn the tv off,” she mumbled, her eyes closed, scooting closer to him, one of her hands finding his hair. “You staying?” the question Melissa posed turned out like a sigh.


Joey shifted to where he could grab the remote, turning the television off. It made the room dark and he sighed deeply. He thought about telling her yes, but knew that wouldn't be good for either of them. “You know Kristen would be pissed right? And Travis wouldn't be happy,” he reminded her, watching her roll over to look at him.


“So we tell them both to piss off,” Melissa told him sleepily.


Joey sat down on the end of the bed, patting Melissa's leg under the covers. “It would be nice to do that, Mel, but you know I'm not that type of guy. I mean if you make me mad, yeah....but I like Kristen. She's a good girl. Let's not get carried away with one kiss.”


That doused any kind of feeling Melissa had, making her sit up and stare at Joey. “Well I hope you and Kristen are very happy together. Don't worry about me ever bothering to want to kiss you again,” she said quickly, her voice shaking a bit. “I won't ever ask you to kiss me, Joey, so just forget what I said in the elevator.”


“Melly...” Joey began, but stopped, throwing up his hands. “I give up, ya know that? I'm sick of this crap between us. You'll always be my friend, but I have a girlfriend and I don't want to sneak around acting like there's something going on between us. I was just acting that way so you wouldn't be hurt.”


The light came on and Melissa all but shoved Joey off the end of the bed. “Get out of my room! All of this acting so I wouldn't get hurt?” she shouted, getting off the bed to get in his face, her finger jabbing his chest. Melissa didn't bother to wipe away the tears that came. “I thought you were one of my best friends! What was I going to get hurt about? That you had a girlfriend or because I wasn't dating you? Get over yourself, Joey. ”



Joey's nose got close enough to touch Melissa's. “You've pouted, and bitched. And moaned. I thought that maybe if I gave you a little more attention that you might decide to act decent.” Joey growled when Melissa's hand met the side of his face, hauling her up to him. “Is this where we're at now?” he hissed, tightening the hold on her wrist, watching her wince. “I'll tell you exactly how I feel about you if that's what you want.” He watched Melissa nod and he smirked.


Melissa's wrist hurt and she wanted to get away from Joey. The more she twisted, the tighter his hold got. “Just tell me,” she finally said, feeling the back of her legs hit the bed. She was shocked when Joey kissed her, his lips firmly planted on hers, his fingers dug into the back of her head and hair. She tried to get a breath and move, but Joey was having none of it. It wasn't a kiss like on the bus and it killed her when she realized what he was doing.


Joey's mind had snapped. He was trying to give her the most unfeeling kiss he could, but his body was trying to do otherwise. His lungs were protesting that he needed oxygen so he broke off the kiss, glaring at her. “Our second, and last kiss. We're done. You don't have to worry about me being over for Travis to find out about. Just pack my stuff up and drop it off at my place,” he told her, turning and heading for the door. He paused, his hand on the doorknob. “Leave the key too.”


“You know what, Fatone? Fuck you.”


“Fuck you too, Bass. Not that it ever does a guy any good...so the rumor goes,” Joey knew he'd crossed the line when he heard her sob. He left her room and stood there a few minutes outside the door, unable to move. Five years had just came and went in the span of fifteen minutes. All because he was running away from his real feelings.


*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^


Travis sat at the table in the hotel with his girlfriend, watching her push around the food on her plate. “So'd you have fun last night?” he finally asked, watching her nod. “Kristen told me what happened on the bus...between you and Joey.”


Melissa dropped her fork and looked at Travis. She'd spent the rest of the night crying, not caring that she looked like hell that morning. “So what? Me and Joey...aren't friends anymore.”


Travis sat there a minute, soaking in the news. Something big must have happened. He scooted out his chair a little and pulled his girlfriend to him. “I'm sorry, Mel. Do you want to talk about it?” Travis wasn't surprised she shook her head no, but was surprised when she leaned in and kissed him.


“Thanks, Trav,” she said softly after breaking off the kiss. “I did have plans...” her eyes tracked Joey over by the check out counter, carrying one of Kristen's bags and then went back to him. “I don't know what I wanted to do today.” Her mind was still numb, trying to figure out what exactly went wrong the night before.


“How about you go get some sleep and then we'll go do something fun. Go to Central Park or something,” he suggested, smiling when she nodded yes. In his mind, Travis had won the war, because if Joey wasn't there to be a distraction, Melissa would focus on him.


*^*^*^*^

Joey's eye twitched, his mood had not improved after leaving Melissa's room. Kristen had come back drunk and he'd had to babysit her. The only thing he told himself that helped was that he and Melissa could function without each other. He'd been fine without her his whole life before NSYNC, and he could be that way again. He carried Kristen's bags, intending to go with her to the airport, but not get out. Even with Mo coming as security, he wasn't going to get stuck there.


Kristen ran her arm through the crook of his elbow and smiled, walking out with him to their waiting taxi. “I'm so glad I could come stay with you guys for a week. I had a lot of fun,” she told Joey as they got in. Mo got up front with the driver and she frowned, wishing it just could have been them.


“I did too, baby,” Joey told her, looking her over and giving her a smile. Even though she'd been drunk this morning, she still looked hot. “Maybe you can come stay another time. There's the American Music Awards coming up in September if you wanted to go, be my date. It's one where we dress up really nice.” Joey saw her eyes light up at the thought of being with him for that. His heart hurt, but he was going to fill that void with something better than what he had. Or so he hoped.


*^*^*^*^*^*^*^


Lance knocked on his sister's door once again, waiting for her to answer. When she did he came in and saw that her bags were packed and sitting on her bed, still open. “You going on a vacation we don't know about?” he asked, sitting down in one of the chairs by the table. When she didn't speak, he got up. “Talk to me, sis.”


“There's nothing to talk about. I'm ready to go home...I thought I wanted to stay but I need to go back and get my classes straightened out. Or find a job..something,” Melissa told him quickly, folding up a shirt before pulling it back out. It was one she'd kept from when Joey was at their place, one that she slept in. She handed it to Lance. “Give that back to Joey.”


“What, are you two not speaking anymore?” Lance asked, surprised at the look of pain his question brought.


“Something like that. We just decided that it was better if we drew a boundary where our friendship was. Apparently Joey was afraid I would be too hurt if he told me he was in love with Kristen. Who cares.”


Lance wasn't sure how much his sister cared, but he took her bags down to the hotel lobby anyway, giving her a long hug. “Have fun today. Call me when you get home,” he said, feeling her squeeze him hard. “Love you, Mel.”


“Love you too. Break a leg tomorrow night.” With that, Melissa took one more look around the hotel and walked outside to meet Travis. She prayed that the numb feeling would go away once she got back to Florida. It was another couple of months before the tour ended. Surely her heart would be fixed by then.


Chapter 6 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
Here is Chapter 6. Loving the reads I am getting. Thanks so much. Also on a side note, I put up a Challenge, hope people will want to respond to it. :) Enjoy!!

Joey wandered around FAO Schwartz in a funk. He'd went to see what was new, even checked out the aisle holding the NSYNC dolls, shaking his head at the craziness of it all. In his head he could hear Mel's voice teasing him about his plastic fantastic red hair and about Justin's fro. He took a deep breath and sighed. Over on another aisle, he could hear voices. Security was with him, letting him shop by himself.


“Momma, it was Joey from NSYNC...I know it was,” a little girl's voice said on the next aisle.


“I know, honey..but the workers said he was shopping. He probably doesn't get to do it much by himself...” an older woman's voice replied. “We have a lot of other things to do today, Ashleigh.”


Joey couldn't help but step closer to the end of the aisle, listening. He knew what an excited kid sounded like, and this was one, but something in her voice stopped him from just going on to the next aisle, figuring the kid's parent could get a concert ticket. He wasn't heartless, but he'd learned a few years ago that being in a music group came with a big sign that made him a target for those who would take advantage of him.


“I..I know,” the little girl's voice said softer. “I just wanted to say hi.”


Hearing the disappointment, Joey raised an eyebrow at Mo, making him follow as he went around the end cap and to the aisle where he stopped in his tracks. It was indeed a little girl, looking at him with wide eyes and a grin spreading across her face from ear to ear. His heart beat faster as she looked at him. Joey could see she was sick.


“Hi, sweetheart. What's your name?” he asked, kneeling down in front of her wheelchair when he got to it, studying her short brown hair and light brown eyes.


Ashleigh blushed profusely, the smile on her face getting wider. “I'm Ashleigh. This is my mom, Kelly.”


Joey looked at Kelly and smiled, “Nice to meet you,” he told them both and then went back to Ashleigh, peppering her with questions about her life and how old she was, what she liked and why she was in New York. He found out she loved purple, the race car driver Jeff Gordon and that she could sing every song off of their albums.


“I'm gonna be on Maury later today, so Mom said I couldn't get too tired out. I know you don't get to come places by yourself...sorry if I ruined your shopping,” she said, looking a little downcast.


“No...not at all,” Joey assured her as they walked around to the end of the aisle and back to where he'd been, the aisle of Barbies and NSYNC dolls. It was a little girl's paradise. “How about we do some shopping? I mean, the rest of the guys wouldn't let me live it down if I didn't help you get all of the new stuff out. He went and picked out the newest things, all of the NSYNC dolls, plus a brown haired Barbie and the Corvette to ride them around in. It was fun and by the time they were done, Ashleigh was laughing at him being silly, singing words to songs that didn't match.


“What's your favorite song we sing?” Joey asked her, wanting to know so he could tell the rest of the guys.


“This I Promise You,” Ashleigh told him, giggling as she hugged her toys to her, ripping the boxes open with the help of one of the employees that had come down the aisle to 'help'.


He stepped back for a moment to Kelly, watching Asheligh arrange her Barbie-now named Ash- to ride between the dolls of him and JC in the front of the Corvette. “How sick is she?” he heard himself ask quietly, hating that kids had to go through things that adults couldn't even handle with grace and dignity.


“She's pretty sick. It's a brain tumor... The chemo keeps her tired, but her spirit is so willing, Joey. Ashleigh loves life. This made her day, probably her year,” Kelly said, watching her play, grinning at her daughter.


Joey hated to leave, but Mo was getting edgy with people crowding around and he knew he had sound check to go to. “Thanks for meeting me, Ashleigh. I had a great time,” he said, hugging the little girl after giving her a quick kiss on the cheek, swallowing a lump in his throat when she hugged him back tight.


“I'm gonna call my Aunt Susie tonight and tell her I met you. She'll never believe I met you,” Ashleigh told him, hugging him once more.


Joey said his goodbyes, getting out of the store after paying for the little girl's toys and back into the car he'd come in, Mo getting in next to him.


“That was great, huh?” he told Mo, shaking his head at how he could make someone's day just by meeting them for a little while and getting them a toy or two. It wasn't that he had to do it or she asked, but it was what he wanted to do. He was just being Joey. A frown came to his face as he quickly flipped his phone shut, open to call Mel and tell her what had happened. She'd have loved to hear the story, but he wasn't going to call her. He could do this, he told himself, watching the hustle and bustle of New York pass by.


*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*


Melissa sat her suitcase down on her bed with a thump. She didn't bother opening it, or her carry on bag, leaving them both on her bed. She looked around her room and took a deep breath. Pictures of her and Joey took up a lot of the space. Stupid pictures, funny pictures, serious pictures. All of her and the man she thought she'd known inside and out.


Pulling one down that was stuck to her mirror, she let out a muffled sob and a tear fell. One of them six months after they'd met. Joey's hair was blonde on top, and he was whispering something to her, making her laugh, a smile on his face, his head turned towards her ear, his arms around her as her hands were trying to hold on to him. She let that picture fall to the floor, then pulled others out.


She worked for a couple of hours, putting pictures up in a drawer. When she was done, the remaining pictures were re spaced and she went and got a black trash-bag, opening up two drawers in her chest of drawers. Men's socks and underwear, shorts and shirts were in there. Melissa pulled one out and sniffed it, letting more tears fall. Joey had his own laundry detergent at their house, using Tide, while she used Purex. It smelled like Tide and his soap..him. Her heart twisted as she threw the shirt in the bag. “Jerk,” she said, angry tears coming down as she cleaned out the drawers, calling him very ugly names before going to her bathroom and getting rid of things in there too.


Two full trashbags later, Melissa hauled them out to her car and was getting in when her mother's ringtone came up on her phone.


“Hi, Mom,” she said, trying to keep it from sounding like she'd been crying.


“Hi, baby. How's New York? I haven't heard from your brother...he probably forgot his phone on the tour bus again...” her mother went on about things before she stopped. “I don't hear your shadow trying to get the phone. Where's Joey?”


“I..I'm at home, Ma. In Orlando,” Melissa said, pursing her lips together. “I decided I needed to come home and do school. It was going to be too hard to do all the classes online.”


“Oh,” Linda Bass' voice sounded a bit odd, like she wasn't quite buying the story. “Well then, you'll have to come and meet me at Chico's for dinner. Six is good right?”


Melissa rolled her eyes at her mother's request. She would tempt her with her favorite Mexican place. It was a ploy to get her to talk. “Six is fine, Mom. I will text Lance and tell him to call you.”


“Okay, sweetie. I will see you in a little while.”


She breathed a big sigh of relief when her mother hung up, making her way over to Joey's. Melissa could drive it with her eyes closed, and got there in the usual time of fifteen minutes. The longest part was waiting for the guard at the gated entrance, who always tried to flirt with her.


Pulling up into the driveway, Melissa got the two bags out and carried them to the garage door, punching in the code and waiting for it to open. There was another code to disarm the house alarm and her key to get in. She put the bags on the table, along with the key. His house was spotless, since the housekeeper came, along with Joey's parents, to make sure it was being looked after.


She flipped open her phone, shaking her head as she did. It pained her to call, even if it wasn't Joey she was calling.


“What's up my baby chica?” Justin answered in a very bad Spanish accent.


“Tell...” her voice got a little tight, and she swallowed, “tell Joey I put all his stuff on the table with his key. And I'm getting my stuff from his place.” Melissa heard Justin do something and then more voices. She put a hand to her forehead as she heard him hiss meanly to Joey that his shit was at his own casa and the goddamned key was on the table and he hoped Fatone was fucking happy. “He wants to talk to you,” Justin came back on the line, the joking tone his voice held when answering was gone.


“I don't have anything to say to him,” Melissa told Justin, hanging up before the conversation could go any farther.


*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^


Justin looked at Joey, closing his cell phone. “You screwed the fuck up. I don't know what you did, Joseph Anthony Fatone, June-yer,” Justin drawled out the last part of his name, shaking his head, “but you'll be lucky if she ever gives you the time of day again.”


“I don't see why you fucking care so much, Mister Superstar. You're dating Britney Spears,” Joey snapped back, turning to leave before Justin turned him back around, shoving him back a few feet.


“The two of you made sense! All of those goddamn songs we sing...you had that with her! Even if you were too stupid to realize it. I mean, shit..I love Brit. I love her, man..but we don't have quite the same connection as you and Mel. She loved you.”


Joey raised an eyebrow at his friend, wondering if Justin had gone crazy. “She has a boyfriend. She didn't love me. Girls that love guys tell them. They act all stupid and giggly, not like she did.”


Neither of the men noticed that they now had an audience of Chris and JC, who had slipped into Justin's hotel room, finding a spot on the wall to stand.


“She wouldn't tell you! You were worth more to her than that for just some half baked fling or just a stupid fucking kiss in a game. You know what? I'm glad she went back to Florida. I don't give a shit if the rest of the tour sucks ass. You fucking deserve it, dawg,” Justin yelled, then saw JC and Chris, staring at them. “If Mel calls my phone, answer it, but don't give it to the dumb fuck,” he told them, handing them his cell phone as he slammed the door to his bathroom.


Joey looked at the both of them, pissed off, hurt and wishing he could crawl under a rock. “This is your fault you know! If you hadn't dared me to kiss her, we'd have been fine!! She'd still be here!” he yelled at Chris before leaving and going to his own room. He wouldn't admit things had been fine until he'd opened his big mouth. He had an hour or so until they were supposed to be at sound check and practice. Laying down on his bed, Joey threw his arm over his face and laid there, trying to not think about Mel, his thoughts turning to Ashleigh and her condition. His heart ached for both situations and he let a few tears fall silently, knowing the first was his fault. Now there was nothing he could do about it.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*


“So you came back to go to school because...” Linda asked her youngest child, watching Melissa push food around her plate before taking a bite of her chicken enchiladas covered in white sauce so she wouldn't have to answer. “I will call your brother and find out. Or better yet, call Joey.”


Melissa swallowed her food and shrugged, digging into her rice. “It's Joey's fault. He...he told me that the reason he was being so nice to me, that he kissed me,” she looked down at her plate, “was so that he didn't hurt my feelings that he was in love with Kristen.”


Linda looked at her daughter, surprised. She knew Melissa and Joey were close, but not that any romantic feelings were there. “And so that warranted you coming home? Travis was there..your brother and the other guys,” she said and raised an eyebrow.


“I was basically told that I was a prude...and I told Joey something similar but that he could go do it to himself...And that was the end of it. He told me to pack his things and drop them off, so I did. Let's talk about something else.” Melissa took a drink of her Dr Pepper and continued eating, hoping that she could get to a point where everything didn't make her think about Joey.


Linda went on to other subjects, watching her daughter pretending to be interested. “Just give it some time,” she said, putting her hand over Melissa's. “you'll be busy with school before you know it. The guys are busy. Time heals all things.”


“Sure, Mom. Just keep telling yourself that,” Melissa muttered when the waiter came with the bill. She wasn't interested in time healing anything, she just wanted to forget the last few years of being in love with someone who she couldn't have, who would never feel the same. It felt like betrayal that she didn't feel that way about Travis as well, knowing that she should since he was her boyfriend. “Thanks for dinner, Mom,” she said, scooting her chair out and grabbing her purse, hugging her mom tightly. “I got stuff to do at the house.”


“Okay. Come over tomorrow to the house so you can get your stuff and go register for classes. I was going to do it, but since you're home...” Linda told her daughter, hugging her back, smoothing her hair and then the worry lines in her forehead. “I love you.”


“I love you too, Ma.” Melissa turned and left quickly, making it out of downtown before the tearrs fell. The radio station was playing an NSYNC song and she couldn't make herself change it.


Why didn't I know it,” JC's voice sang, “why didn't I show it, when I had the chance...oh I had the chance.


*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^


Joey felt the glares to his back. He'd felt them the whole practice, ignoring them for the most part, except when Justin had purposely almost knocked him over during Bye Bye Bye, apologizing with a wicked grin on his face. He'd tried to catch Lance's eye, but the other man wouldn't even look at him.


“Okay, break time,” JC announced, going to grab one of the bottled waters out of the cooler sitting at the back of the stage.


“Lance,” Joey said, wiping his head where sweat was, glad when Lance turned to him. “Have you talked to your sister?” he asked, giving Justin the finger.


“She texted me and told me to call my Mom,” Lance replied with a shrug. “She probably won't call...least for a few days. What did you do?”


Joey sighed hard, running a hand over his face. “Opened my big fat mouth and said something I shouldn't have.”


“Apologize,” Lance told him, putting down his phone to look at Joey, staring hard at him. “You mean to tell me you said something to my sister you can't tell her sorry for? Or it's bad enough she was serious when she told me you two weren't friends?”


Joey swallowed hard and halfway nodded, not meeting Lance's face. “I told her to take all of my stuff back to my place and leave the key,” Joey's voice got louder as Lance started walking away. “I have a girlfriend! She was just a distraction...trying to get me to break up with Kristen,” he explained, sighing heavily when he realized his other best friend had quit listening to him. Flipping his phone open, he saw one missed call. Joey frowned, hitting delete. It wasn't from who he wanted it to be from and he was damned if he was going to call her. His Italian streak was coming out, and he wasn't about to be the first to apologize. It would be a cold day in Hades, he decided, shoving his feelings down when JC barked out it was time to practice once more.


“What song we doing?” Chris asked once they all had microphones, pulling up a stool.


“I Thought She Knew,” Lance said, not missing the pained look on Joey's face. “We keep it in the songlist.”


“You all are bastards,” Joey growled, giving them all the middle finger.

“Takes one to know one,” Justin snapped. “I am glad at least your black beating heart was nice to that girl in the toy store. Good to know you're nice to perfect strangers.”


Joey took that verbal insult, closing his eyes. He reminded himself that he didn't need Lance's sister. He had a girlfriend, family and friends that loved him, no matter what. For the first time in a long time, Joey felt nothing while singing, other than that his heart was empty.


Chapter 7 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
I am spoiling you, but I love my readers. You all make this worth it when you read and enjoy. I love getting feedback and reviews, so let me know what you think.


Joey shoved the guys from his room and leaned back against the closed door. He pressed the palms of his hands into his eyes and his head fell back with a light thud. He groaned out loud and rubbed his hands over his face before raking them through his hair; causing it to stick up on ends. He could feel the water dripping and knew it was making a puddle on the floor where he stood.

His sleep clothes, now wet, hung against his body. His anger at JC had now faded and he realized he hadn't been acting himself lately. How was he to know this would happen? How was he supposed to know when Melissa left, his life would change this drastically? That it would become this dull, bleak, gray existence?


At first he blamed it on Mel. It was the easiest thing to do since she was the one that left. Joey threw himself into work. The concerts, sound checks, practices came and went. All while not caring about any of it. Until it came time to sing “This I Promise You”. He'd told the guys about Ashleigh and it was the one thing that made his world a bit better; made him not feel like such a bad guy. He looked over at his open suitcase and wondered if there was any clean clothes in there. He'd washed them sometime in the last week. Mel was always the one grabbing their dirty clothes, sitting at a laundromat or in a hotel laundry room to make sure nothing was stolen; her excuse was that she had the time. And that one of them didn't turn a whole load of whites some horrific color.


The night before came back to him somewhat. Mostly it was just like the previous one, sitting in his room with a meal from room service, flipping channels. Four o' clock in the morning came and went when Joey figured out he needed to get to bed. Now he stripped his shirt off and shorts, leaving them by the bed, grabbing the first clean shirt and pair of jeans he came to, along with socks and underwear getting dressed.


Looking at his reflection in the mirror, Joey picked up the razor and stared at it a moment. There was no one here to impress. Kristen wasn't coming for another couple of weeks and Mel wasn't there...He growled and turned the water on and grabbed the shaving cream.


“You ready?” he heard Lance ask when the door beeped that a key card was being used, seeing his friend come into his line of site.


“Almost,” Joey replied, wiping his face off with the washcloth to get it clean, grabbing some aftershave.


“Be glad Mel's not here,” Lance said, suddenly wishing he hadn't mentioned his sister's name, seeing the look on Joey's face. The pained one that seemed to be a constant when he and Joey were around each other. “Sorry...I just..you know how she was about your goatee.”


“Yeah, that's why I shaved it. She's not here, is she?” Joey snapped, throwing his razor and stuff into his toiletries bag. “I'm not gonna go cry like some little damn girl every time you say her name. You all act like I can't function without her.” Joey knew it was true, but it made him mad to think his friends knew it too.


“I didn't say that,” Lance told him, holding his hands up in defense.


Joey sighed and shook his head. “I know, man. Sorry. Just seems like nothing's going right.”


Lance had no answer for his friend as they headed out the door and found the rest of the guys waiting. They had a radio station interview and then a photo shoot. Lance's phone buzzed, playing a song before it stopped.


“You talked to her?” Joey found himself asking, kicking himself for wanting to know. He'd willed his phone to ring, praying it would. It had rang in the past month, but it wasn't who he wanted to talk to.


Lance shook his head. “Not for a couple of days. Mel's busy, trying to get her classwork done. She hates math...” he sighed when his phone beeped, then rang. “Hey,” he said, looking at Joey and then turning away. “Yeah, he shaved...how did you know?” Lance smiled and shrugged, hitting Chris on the shoulder figuring Chris snapped a pic of Joey. “They have tutors for that sort of thing, Mel. I suck at College Algebra.”


Joey held his hand out for the phone, not taking no for an answer until it was finally given to him. “What's the sitch?” he asked, keeping his voice even.


“I was talking to Lance, not you,” Melissa said with a sigh, looking at her Math book. “It's just a stupid math problem, Joey.”


“And I'm good at stupid math problems. And I'm good at saying stupid shit.” It wasn't an apology, but it was a sorry of sorts, an admission that Joey was one of those guys that knew he said the wrong thing at the wrong time.


“Really? So you're admitting to being a jackass.”


Joey held his tongue and sighed, rubbing his eyes then raking his hair. “Do you want help or not?” He would have begged if he'd been by himself, said anything to keep her on the phone.


“No...I'll figure it out,” she said after a few minutes, clearing her throat “I'll talk to you later. I gotta get ready for work.”


Joey listened to the dial tone in his ear and handed the phone back to Lance, not looking at any of them. “She had to get ready for work,” he muttered, folding his arms and burying himself down in the seat. The gray existence was back, coupled with the few seconds of normal. He hated it even more now.


*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Melissa let a breath out she hadn't even realized she was holding. She couldn't pretend that it was normal, just talking to Joey about math. A few tears fell and she wiped them away quickly. The past month had been hard. She'd done everything to keep her mind occupied, to not think about the man that had insulted her and broken her heart. It hurt more than she thought it would after leaving. Travis had called quite a bit, and she was glad she had him, but he wasn't the same as Joey. Melissa tried hard to put Joey out of her mind and had mostly succeeded until she heard his voice on the phone.


She'd lied to him too. Work wasn't until this afternoon, but it took her a while to get ready, to get up the want to for getting a shower and dressed, even putting on make up. It was just the same thing over and over again, including the math homework she didn't understand.


There was a buzz that announced someone was at the house, then a few moments later the doorbell rang. Melissa was in the middle of gathering up dirty clothes to find clean ones when she went to answer the door, a big smile coming to her face.


“Rach!” she yelled, opening the door and dropping the clothes, hugging her friend tight. Rachel Weatherly was her best friend since their freshman year of high school. “How was The Hamptons?”


Rachel hugged her back, laughing. “Oh you know, rich people trying to be snobby. It was alright, but I'm glad to be home. Why aren't you on tour? Your mom wouldn't give me any details,” she said, coming in and making herself at home, going to the fridge and grabbing a Pepsi before turning back to her best friend.


Melissa shut the door and gathered up the clothes. “You have three guesses and the first two don't count,” she said, going to the laundry room. They had someone to come clean one day a week, but she and Lance had both agreed they could do their own laundry and cooking.


“What did your Fatoney do now?” Rachel asked, following and hopping up on the wooden table that was for folding clothes on.


“He's not mine. He has a girlfriend with big tits that likes to wear tight clothes,” Melissa informed her, putting soap in the washer, groaning when she realized she'd grabbed the Tide. “See what you made me do? This isn't even mine.”


“So your clothes smell good. That doesn't answer why you are home.”


“I'm taking classes for college and I got a job. That's why I'm home.” Melissa didn't look at Rachel, watching the water fill up in the washing machine. She'd rewash the clothes later in Purex.


Rachel narrowed her eyes at Mel, taking a long drink. “I know when you're lying. If my grandparents hadn't made me go on our family vacation, I would know what the hell was going on...so spill it, Bass.”


Melissa sighed, haltingly telling her the story. She didn't leave out any details, even the kissing part and the hotel. “It's been a month, Rach. He hasn't called and I'm not sure I want him to. It's easier to just pretend that he's just another guy.”


Rachel had listened, getting down to hug her friend. “I love you, ya know. And Joey's like the little kid that rides the short bus you can't help but love, but there are times I'd love to just smack the crap out of both of you.”


“I know. That's why you're my friend.”


Melissa felt better than she had in a while, joking and talking with Rachel as she picked up her stuff around the house and then got ready for work.


“You know since I'm back, we need to go to lunch,” Rachel informed Melissa, pulling a drawer open and shutting it when she saw pictures stuffed in there. “You know, those should go in an album. Stuffing them in a drawer makes it cluttered.”


“Thank you, Martha Stewart,” Melissa said, deciding there was nothing else she could do to her hair. She tucked in her shirt and grabbed a belt.


“When did you get so fashion forward?” Rachel asked, noting the new t-shirts that had the Aeropostale logo and jeans of the same.


“Shut up. I work there, so I have to have the clothes. And lunch sounds good. I get out at one tomorrow,” Melissa told her, sticking her tongue out.


Rachel rolled her eyes and shoved her friend out the bedroom door. “I'll meet you at Mr. Chow's,” she saw a look cross Mel's face. “Jesus..you can't just not go eat Chinese because it's the restaurant you and Joey always go too. You go there with me, him, your mom, Lance...”


“Do you have to say that name?” Melissa asked, looking around for her purse, ignoring Rachel.


“Joey..Jooooey...JOEY!” Rachel sang the last name loudly, ducking as a magazine flew past her head and landed with a thud on the floor. “What the fuck?” Rachel glared at Melissa, picking up the magazine. “Seriously, you throw this at me?” It was a magazine of Victoria's Secret.

“It was the first thing I came to,” Melissa replied, finding her purse and keys. “See you tomorrow night, I'm going to go see about a math tutor.”


Rachel watched as her friend left, sitting back down on the couch. Lance had always told her she could come and go as she pleased, even though she didn't have a key. Their house was nice, as nice as her parents where she lived. Looking around, she could see the different elements of decorating and then wandered back into Melissa's room, pulling the drawer back open that held the pictures. “You stupid idiot,” she muttered, picking up a picture of Joey her friend had taken, him giving a goofy smile and thumbs up. Taking out the photos, Rachel grabbed the photo album that was stuffed in her friends closet, still with the price tag on it. “I needed a reason to not go home yet,” she told herself, wondering if Melissa realized what she saw in the pictures.


*^*^*^*^*^*^*


“Mister Chow, we're here!” Melissa announced as she and Rachel went into the small Chinese restaurant. There were a dozen tables to the whole place; an older Chinese man came to see them from the back, a big smile on his face.

“You not on world tour?” He grinned, hugging her and then Rachel, wagging a finger at her taller friend. “You tell me last time wontons were no good. I make fresh just for you.”


Melissa laughed at Mr. Chow, putting in her usual order and listening to Rachel give him a hard time. They sat down in their usual corner booth. The whole restaurant smelled wonderful and it had been a while since she'd been here. Lance's birthday in fact. It was where she'd come since she was little on her birthday and for any major milestone. Mr. Chow had even thrown her a graduation dinner.


“So what are we doing tonight? Should I be afraid and go get some bail money?” she asked Rachel who was stirring sugar into her iced tea.


“No bail money needed. You worry too much,” Rachel replied, the girls talking about different things as their soup and wontons were brought out. It wasn't too long before they were in Wal-Mart in the toy section.


“I can't believe they made these,” Rachel made a face at the Britney Spears doll before grabbing one of JC. “Come on,” she said, handing Melissa one of Lance and Justin.


“What are you doing?” she hissed, grabbing Chris and Joey's figures and following her to the Barbie aisle. “If we open these, we have to buy them, Rach.”


“Shut up. A drop in the bucket, my young padawan learner.” Rachel opened all of the NSYNC dolls and then a couple packages of the Barbies and began to arrange them in precarious positions, along with a bucket of army men fighting Mr. Potato Head, taking pictures with her phone, sending them to Lance.


The best part was when Rachel got Melissa to do a wrestling style announcing of the whole event starting with the announcement of “Attention Wal-Mart shoppers...” from the loudspeaker PA.


Melissa laughed so hard she cried, wiping tears as little kids drug their parents to see the toys, making up stupid stuff. They left the whole display there in the middle of the toy aisles, going to snag a couple of bikes and ride around the store before they were asked to leave.


By the time the night was over, Melissa and Rachel had danced across crosswalks and on sidewalks, and sat and made fun of girls that would walk by and oogle over the picture of Justin Timberlake in the mall in the music store.


“He looks like a poodle if he doesn't gel his hair,” Rachel yelled at a couple of girls who stopped and were making kissy faces at the picture, laughing when Melissa almost fell off the bench they were sitting on.

“See, I got you laughing,” Rachel told her as they left the mall a few hours later, bags in hand. They'd went shopping and enjoyed themselves, trying on clothes and being girly. “Did you ever find a tutor for your class?”


“They are looking for one for me. I'm just SOL til then.”


“You know someone who aced math,” Rachel said, looking at her as she started her car.


“I know. He's like a freaking Einstein with that. But he's still a jerk.” Melissa said, surprised when the car came to a quick stop at a red light. “So you'd rather fail than ask for help? Who helped you pass Algebra, It certainly wasn't the damn teacher.”


Melissa leaned back on the headrest and sighed. Joey had been her saving grace in high school. He'd patiently listened to her gripe and complain, even cry, about her math teacher, then proceeded to show her how to work the problems. The teacher accused her of cheating until Linda had informed him she hired a tutor. Even though the tutor was in Europe touring at the time.


“I'll call him if I need help,” Melissa told Rachel, biting her bottom lip. “What?”


“You swear on your fedora hat you'll call him?” Rachel asked, watching her friend huff and cross her arms. “It's still hanging on your headboard. I will take it and cut it into little tiny pieces.”


“It's not my hat!” she finally relented and nodded, knowing Rachel would do just what she said. “Sometimes you are a bi-atch, Rachel Weatherly.” Melissa got her phone out and looked at the time. “He's working. No..changing. Justin's doing his beat box bit then they'll be singing “It's Gonna Be Me,” she said quietly, glad when Rachel turned up the volume on the radio so she wouldn't have to keep her mind on Joey.


*^*^*^*^*^*^*


Lance looked at the pictures again on his phone and shook his head. A part of him was really glad Rachel was back in Orlando. Another part of him wished his sister was here. They'd all missed her. He'd always just thought of her as part of the group. He snickered at the picture of Mr. Potato Head holding up an Army man, other's scattered with body parts around him.


“Who in the hell sent you that?” Justin asked, seeing the picture, stopping to look closer at it.


“Mel and Rachel,” Lance said, closing his phone. “Those two need a warning sign.”


“They need the National Guard and the SWAT team,” Justin fired back, sitting down on the couch. They were backstage getting a shower before they left again on the bus. Joey was in the shower now his cell phone laying on the table. It rang, playing “It's Gonna Be Me” and Justin snatched it up. “Melly's calling.”


“What's up babydoll?”Justin asked, not caring to answer Joey's phone.


“I..” she looked at her phone, making sure she dialed the right number. “Justin?”


“The one and only. Joey's in the shower. What you need?” Justin asked, flopping down on the couch.


“Rachel made me call,” she told him, punching Rachel in the shoulder. “Apparently I need help..”


“She's failing math!” Rachel yelled beside her.


“I'm not failing yet, you diphead,” she told her, before talking to Justin again. “I need help.”


“Two plus two equals four,” Justin told her, getting up when Joey came in. “The bald faced one is done. Love you Melly!” he sang, handing Joey the phone mouthing 'don't fuck this up'.


Joey looked at the phone and then smiled. “Hi,” he said, ignoring the kissy faces Justin was now making.


“Hi.” Melissa felt herself get nervous, hating that she couldn't just forgive Joey, that she was trying to push him away. “I need help with math. I mean, just until they find a tutor at school.”


“When's your math class?” Joey asked, wanting to say so many things other than that, but sticking with what he was given. He listened to her tell him her schedule and then her work schedule. “You send me a picture of your homework and I'll work on it and get back with you, but I'm not doing it for you.” He couldn't help but laugh and her grumbling.


“How else do you expect me to learn if you don't do it first? It's like Italian or Greek,” Melissa said, rolling her eyes when he started talking in Italian.


“Just stupid stuff,” Joey told her when she asked what he was saying, chuckling at Lance who was giving him a weird look. “Send your homework.”


“I will. And just for the record, I'm still mad.”


“Point taken,” they talked a few more minutes and Joey hung up, surprised to see his four bandmates all staring at him intently. “What? I'm helping her with math homework.”


“You have to call her every damn day, dawg,” Justin cheered, pumping his

Chapter 8 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
Hoping this works. Having probs updating on the site. Enjoy :)
“I was thinking I would come down Thursday if you weren't busy,” Travis told Melissa, sitting in his hotel room in Charlotte, North Carolina. He had all of Thursday off and had to fly back to catch the show in Raleigh. He'd spent a lot of time on the phone with his girlfriend when he could, trying to find a time to go to Orlando. They'd talked about her coming back on the tour, but since school had started, Melissa was determined to stick with it.

“Thursday?” Melissa said, surprised. She was happy that he'd be coming, having missed him. She looked at her room that was halfway clean, save for needing laundry done and papers put away, her desk covered in her books. “What time? I have my College Algebra class, but I'm free the rest of the time. Even have off work.”

“Earliest flight puts me there around ten in the morning, then I fly out around midnight. That'll give us time to visit,” he said, a smile coming to his face.

“Sounds good. If I can't come get you, I'll send my friend Rachel.”

Travis nodded, having heard about her friend a few times. “Sounds good. We'll go paint the town red.”

“Sounds like a plan,” her phone beeped and she looked, seeing it was Joey. Glancing at the clock, Melissa realized that it was time for him to help her with her math. “I hate to run Trav, but my math tutor's here,” she blanched at the little white lie, but didn't feel too bad. She and Joey kept it strictly education related.

“Alright, smart girl. Love you.”

Melissa replied in turn and quickly went to the other line. “Joey?” she said, hoping she hadn't missed him.

“I could have got up and went pee, got a Coke and came back to the table before you answered the phone,” Joey chided, a smile in his voice, looking at the paper with the math on it he'd done.

“Oh shut up, Fatoney. It takes you longer than that... Why do I even know that?” Melissa mentally slapped herself. It was so easy with Joey to talk about the stupid stuff. The funny things that no one else cared about.

“I don't know. Why the hell do you know that? How long it takes me to pee... Are you writing a damn stalker book?” He asked, watching Lance shake his head as he walked by to sit in the recliner.

“They don't know, do they?”JC said as he laid on the couch, listening to the conversation shift to something about math. This was almost the only time Joey acted like, well, Joey.

“Nope,” Lance said as he took a drink from his soda. He ignored the glare he was getting from Joey, pretending to watch the television that was in the corner playing low on a news channel.

'What are we talking about that who doesn't know?” Justin asks flopping down on the couch. JC was quick to move his legs and sit up, shooting his younger band member a look.

“Joey and Mel,” Lance told Justin, his eyes not leaving the tv.

Justin nodded knowingly. He grinned at Joey still on the phone. “They're never gonna figure it out, dawg.”

“Nope,” JC and Lance said in unison.

Joey cut his eyes at his friends, grabbing the paper and going to the front of the bus to sit at the other table. “All you do is find the inverse function,” he explained listening to Melissa work it out, with him coaching her.

Melissa looked down at her paper, sighing. They were halfway done, but it had taken an hour. “This sucks, Joey.”

“I want to go to college. I want to take math classes and English....” Joey's voice mimicked hers. “I told you..It's school.”

“I can do the rest of school. It's just math that I hate. When am I ever going to use the inverse of something? I can add and subtract and all that other stuff. That's why we have calculators with lots of buttons.”

“Oh ye of little math comprehension...all will be well. The Force is strong with you,” Joey said, getting a laugh from her. “I think you pretty much have it's ass whipped. I need to get off here and help JC with a song. He's writing something for the next album.”

“Alright,” Melissa was about to say goodbye before she remembered. “I'll be busy Thursday, so I'll just have to wing it on the homework. Er..no..there's a test..no homework,” she told him, putting her pencil in her book and closing it, wanting to shove it off the bed.

“Busy? You got a date or something?” he asked quickly, wondering why he even cared.

“Actually, yeah. Travis is coming to visit for the day after classes.”

Joey swallowed hard, the color in his world going back to a grayish one. It had never mattered to him before who Mel dated, it shouldn't now. He was better than this. “Yeah..have fun. I need to go, JC wants us to go over some stuff,” he told her, hanging up quickly. Kristen was coming in that weekend, and he was looking forward to seeing his girlfriend.

“Have fun?” Chris asked Joey as he sat down, raising an eyebrow at his silence. “Sounded like you were fine to me a minute ago.”

“I'm fine. Just get on with whatever we're doing,” he muttered as Justin and JC started talking about a song they were working on. Joey shoved his feelings deep and got into work, glad for the distraction. Until Monday.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
“So, Rachel's gonna pick you up in the morning,” Melissa told her boyfriend, laying back on the bed. She'd worked part of the day and then had been studying her math. Or trying to study it, getting frustrated and getting a headache. “I might be done with my test by ten, but it'll take me twenty five minutes to get back home.”

“Not a problem, baby. Have I told you again I'm excited to be seeing you?”

Melissa smiled at his words, looking at her clean room. “Yeah, I'm excited too. Rachel even made me pick out a couple of outfits for our date tomorrow,” she rolled her eyes at that, preferring to be in something comfortable. Not the cute dress her friend insisted she wear. Mel had put her foot down to get sandals and not heels, but had agreed to doing her make up a bit more dramatic instead of just the foundation and some bit of blush.

“You'll look gorgeous no matter what,” Travis told her, walking backstage. He'd had a few minutes before they had to start tearing down things, so he thought he'd call and get the last minute details. “I'm being told to hurry up, Mel. I gotta get to work,” he said, smiling at one of the backup dancers as he passed to get to the stage area.

“You men and your work. See you tomorrow Trav. Love ya,” she said, letting him go. Melissa stared at her phone a minute, sighing. She would be up for a while and tried to get focused, praying that tomorrow would be a good day.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“You must be Travis,” Rachel said to the guy who raised up a hand in greeting to her. She gave him a smile as he shouldered his carryon and introduced himself, shaking her hand. “I'm Rachel Weatherly.”

Travis nodded, until the name sank in. “Weatherly? Like related to the oil tycoon Weatherly's?” he asked, his voice changing to awe and his eyebrows raised.

Rachel bit her inner cheek, giving him a smile and nodding. She'd be nice for her friend's sake, but that was strike one. Yes, her grandfather was loaded, her parents loaded, but she still had to work for things and put on her big girl pants like everyone else. “Yeah. Grandpa's living the dream,” she told him, leading her out to her car.

“So how's the tour going?” she asked him after he put his stuff in the trunk, unlocking the doors and getting in.

“Be glad to have a break in a month. Going to try and convince my girlfriend to come up to Minnesota to visit for Thanksgiving.”

“Ha!” Rachel laughed out loud, then looked at him apologetically. “Sorry...I'm sure she'll try, but Thanksgiving is hallowed ground for the Bass family. You get invited to their shindig. It's like getting invited to the Playboy Mansion for the pool party.”

“Oh, okay,” Travis said, not sure he liked being rebuffed, or what he'd heard about a big family gathering. He and Melissa had talked about all sorts of things and this had never come up. “We can talk about it, though..”

Rachel and Travis made small talk as she drove them towards Lance and Melissa's house, neither one of them sure about the other.

“Mel said she had a test today,” Travis said, looking at his phone to see if his girlfriend had texted, wishing she would.

“Yeah, an Algebra test. She felt good about it so we'll see,” Rachel replied, getting to the gated entry and punching in numbers to get into the neighborhood.

“From what she told me, her tutor must be good.”

Rachel nodded, pointing out houses as they drove past them to different people. She wasn't going to touch that issue with a ten thousand foot pole. “Here we are,” she told him, getting out and letting him in. Rachel watched as he went into the house and looked around, grabbing a Pepsi out of the fridge.

“This is nice,” Travis said, sitting down on the couch. “Doesn't Mel get bored being here by herself?”

“Nah, I'm here a lot. The guys are over a lot when they're all home. Joey practically lives...lived here,” she amended, turning her head to close her eyes and mouth 'shit'. She couldn't go back and tell him anything different, so Rachel let it play out.

Travis blinked a couple times. This was new information to him and he just shrugged. He knew Melissa and Joey were close, so why wouldn't they hang out. Before anything else could be said, Melissa came in the house, a huge smile on her face. Travis got up, pulling her into a hug and kissing her on the lips a few times. “Hey, baby,” he said, grinning, putting what he'd just found out at the back of his mind.

“Hey yourself,” Melissa told him, leaning on him and sighing happily. “I see Rachel doesn't have you staked to a tree in the yard, so that's good...” she teased, sticking her tongue out at her best friend. “Thanks for picking him up, Rach.”

“You know me, always happy to help,” Rachel sang out as she said her goodbyes. “How was the test?” she asked before she got out the door, not missing the fact that Travis looked her up and down. Strike two.

Melissa turned around so she could look at her friend, grinning. “I made almost a B. Got a 78%..but my homework was an A. I got mixed up on a couple things.”

“You rock. Have fun you two,” Rachel told them, smiling as she left, her mouth in a tight line when she got in her car. There was just something about Travis she didn't like, but she was trying hard to spin it. She didn't know him like her best friend did and she hoped that was just the case.

Melissa leaned in and kissed Travis again, deepening it now that they were alone. “I missed you,” she told him, letting the touches of mouths and hands wander a bit before she pulled away, still smiling.

“I missed you too,” he said, letting her go and following her to her bedroom. He was surprised to see the artwork and pictures, looking at them as she told him who was in the pictures, mostly family, some of the guys. There was one picture of her and Joey, Travis noted, stuck to her mirror. A silly one that looked like it was taken a while back. Joey was holding up a shirt that said 'Got Crabs?' while Melissa was holding up her steamed crab legs, pointing at it while they both grinned. “Rachel said Joey had his own room or something...” he said, missing the panic look on her face.

“Uh..yeah, he used to,” she said, glad she'd filled the two drawers with clothes from another drawer. “What do you want to do while you're here?” she changed the subject, hoping it would work.

“I wanted to take you out on a date,” Travis told her, not minding the subject change at all.

**^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
“You're sure you don't want to go somewhere nice?” Travis asked once more as he carried the basket of food, looking around at the park they were at. “I mean, that's the point of a date, go somewhere you usually wouldn't.” The ominous clouds that had started gathering made him frown.

“I thought the point of a date was to have fun spending time together.” Melissa was uncomfortable in her dress, but was glad for the sandals, getting out the food.

“It is, but you picked a hell of a time to decide you wanted to do this.”

Melissa didn't say anything, frowning a bit. “The weather said cloudy but the rain was going to go around us.”

Travis just nodded, sighing. They'd gotten halfway done, when the first raindrops fell. “Shit!” he exclaimed, gathering up the stuff and tossing it in the bags they'd brought it in, running for the car.

The downpour soaked them both before they could get in, and Melissa sat there, dripping water, her clothes stuck to her, water running off her hair. “S..S...Sorry,” she said, starting the car, trying to shake off the sudden chill.

“Let's just go back to your house for now,” Travis said, watching the rain came down.

The radio was on low and Melissa's mind went back to the last time she was in the rain. It was a very different situation, one that brought a small smile to her face as they drove in silence.

“We can't do this,” Melissa said, laughing at Joey standing in the rain just outside of the rooftop of the barn. “We'll get soaked getting back to the house.”

“Your grandma's gonna be pissed if we miss dinner, Mel. Besides, it was your idea to come out and look at the old barn,” Joey said, his clothes starting to stick to him. They'd been close enough on tour to stop to visit, with Lance and Mel's grandmother not taking a no for them to stay for dinner. The rest of the guys had went back to the house before the sudden summer storm hit. “You aren't afraid of a little rain, are you?” he teased, watching her glare at him.

“Kiss my ass,” Melissa told him, stepping out into the weather. She laughed when Joey grabbed her and started dancing. “What are you doing, Fatone?”

“I'm singing in the rain, just singing in the rain, what a wonderful feeling I'm happy again,” he sang, his baritone voice loud even with the sound of the rain coming down.

Melissa shook her head at him as they made their way to the house, laughing harder at the looks on everyone's faces when they got in the door, standing on the rug dripping wet, Joey still singing.

The light changed and Melissa shook her head at herself, the shower now over and the sun peeking out. “What do you want to go do now?” she asked Travis, hoping his mood was improved as they pulled into the driveway.

“Let's go change clothes and find a nice place to go to,” he said, “what I wanted to do in the first place.”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Melissa smiled at Travis, slipping her fingers in his. Their second attempt at dinner had went well. Travis was the attentive romantic guy she remembered, having a wonderful time. Now they were back at the house, sitting on the couch watching television. There was still a few hours before she had to take him back to the airport.

“You know you look good dressed up,” Travis told her, leaning in to kiss her. He made his intentions known as he slipped his tongue in her mouth, one of his hands copping a feel. They'd been sitting close together, a touch here or kiss there.

“Trav, I don't know...” Melissa started, then was cut off by his mouth again. Her mind was telling her this was a bad idea, while her body was willing her on, wanting to be paid attention to. She told herself this was because she was in love with Travis, that they hadn't seen each other in a while and that they were alone. No one knocking on a hotel door. She broke off the kiss and smiled at him. “Let's take this somewhere more comfortable,” she said, getting up and leading him back to her bedroom.

*^*^*^*^*^*^

Rachel flipped her phone open and shut, her mind in a dilemma. She didn't want to open her mouth and say something that wasn't possibly true, but at the same time she didn't like Travis. Sure, he was cute and Mel seemed happy with him and they'd been dating a while. He just had the underlying karma of 'assclown' she didn't like. Hitting send on her phone, she smiled big when Melissa's brother answered the phone.

“How can you let your sister date a jerk?” she said, after telling Lance hello.

“You think everyone's a jerk, Rach. What did he do?” he asked, standing in the dressing room. He listened to Rachel's recount of what had happened, and her reasonings behind it. “He's a good guy...” Lance finished, rubbing a hand through his hair.

“I'm throwing the bullshit flag on this.”

“You can't make Mel do what you want. You and I both know that.” Lance nodded to the guy telling him he had to be in the makeup chair in five minutes for the second show in Charlotte. “Just keep an eye on her.”

“Ten four, and I'll make sure to restock the Pepsi in your fridge,” she told him, hanging up a few minutes later. She bit her lip, wondering what would have to happen for Melissa to admit her feelings.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“I'll call you tomorrow,” Travis said, kissing his girlfriend, a big smile on his face. They'd had sex, laid there and talked until it was time to get dressed and get him back to the airport. Now they'd called boarding for his flight to Raleigh. “Did you have fun?” he asked, watching her nod.

“I had a lot of fun. I'm so glad you could come down,” Melissa told him, wrapping her arms around him. It was a comforting feeling, making her insides not knot up as much. “I love you, Travis.”

“Love you too, baby. I gotta go. I'll tell the guys you said hi,” he told her, giving her one last squeeze before letting her go.

Melissa watched him give the airline worker his ticket and then walk down the terminal. She bit her lip and sighed heavily, her feelings in a jumbled up mess. Her phone buzzed, reminding her that it was midnight and it was time for Travis to leave. She wondered if it was bad she was somewhat relieved he was gone.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

“Hey woman, I didn't hear from you.” Rachel picked up a shirt that was stuffed in a cubicle at Aeropostale and looked at it, watching Melissa fold them all neatly where ones had been unfolded and put away haphazardly.

“I went home after dropping Travis off and went to bed,” Melissa shrugged, “what's to tell?”

“Did you have fun?” Rachel asked, following her, shopping so that they could talk.

Melissa nodded. “Other than being caught in the rain. We had to go home and change, then went out to dinner at a nice place Travis found.”

“You're being very obtuse, Mel. Usually I can't get you to shut up about the stupid shit you've done with every detail. Please tell me you didn't have sex with him.”

Eying Rachel, Melissa just turned, ignoring her. “He's my boyfriend, Rach.”

“Oh. My. God. You did!” Rachel said loudly, making other people look at her. She grabbed Melissa's arm and drug her over to the corner. “I hate to sound like your mom, but what the hell were you thinking?”

“I was thinking that I was with my boyfriend and that he wanted to be with me like that. You don't have to like him, Lance doesn't have to like him...He's not Joey!” she hissed loudly, sticking her finger in Rachel's face before she could reply. “Don't meddle, Rach! If Joey wanted me, any at all, he would have said something long before now. He has a girlfriend and he and I are done being friends. Now would you please leave?” she said softer, trying hard to keep her composure.

“Oh Honey, you didn't have sex with him for that reason did you?" Rachel felt like flying to wherever the guys were and dragging Joey by the ear out behind a woodshed and beat the shit out of him. 'Fucking Moron,' she thought to herself. “Fine. You and Joey can just go be lonely and pining the rest of your lives because you're too stupid to see how you are with each other. I'll come over after you're done with work.”

“Go away, Rach,” Melissa told her friend, turning to ignore her and hang jeans on a rack by size. She heard footsteps fall away and stood there. She wasn't going to apologize for having Travis as a boyfriend, but she did regret the way she still felt about Joey. And that the whole time they were having sex, she was thinking of other things.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Joey smiled wide as his girlfriend got in the car beside him, leaving her bag for the airport attendant to put in the back, leaning in and kissing her. “I missed you Kris.” Yes, he'd missed her. Someone of the opposite sex that was glad to see him, and he noticed she purposely wore a low cut shirt, giving him a good view of her cleavage.

“Missed you too, Joey,” Kristen replied, leaning in to kiss him. “What are we doing tonight? You said you were free.”

Joey nodded as they took off back towards the hotel. “I figured we'd go back and chill for a little while, then go grab some dinner somewhere. There's a great place downtown, they have killer barbeque.” They'd stopped in Charleston, South Carolina, for a show the next night, then moving on further south to head towards Florida.

“Barbeque?” Kristen said, wrinkling her nose a little bit at him. “I was hoping for...something a bit better than that. I got a couple new outfits to wear. I don't want to get sauce on them. Besides, you can get barbeque anywhere.”

Joey looked out the window at the traffic, letting out an unheard sigh. He didn't want to dress up and go to someplace fancy. He wanted to relax, but Kristen was wanting more. He'd broken down and done laundry, actually paid to have it done, so he knew he had clothes clean. One night of a nice dinner wouldn't kill him. “Huh?” he asked, turning his head back when he heard his name again, looking at Kristen.

“Did you hear me? I asked if what's her name...Melanie..was here.”

“No. Melissa's not here. She went home for school and stuff,” he replied, getting irked at the fact Kristen would ask, still getting the name wrong.

“Like she got a job?” Kristen asked, surprised, missing Joey's jaw clenching as he nodded. “I mean, why would she need a job? You all make enough money...I mean, she doesn't have expensive tastes in stuff, you can tell by her clothes...”

“Are you done?” Joey snapped, trying to cover his feelings with a heavy sigh, running a hand over his face. “Sorry. I just..I wanted to talk about us, you know. Mel's not here..her own decision.” He let his eyes linger on Kristen's clothes and could picture what Mel would be wearing. Jeans and a t-shirt, probably some tennis shoes, dressed a lot like he was. She wouldn't care to go eat barbeque, knowing next time she could choose where they'd go. He derailed that train of thought, wishing it would set on fire.

“Okay, sorry. I'm done..only talking about us now.”

Joey listened to her start on her family and what was going in in Pittsburgh, trying to enjoy her company. They got back to the hotel and he changed, into some cargo khaki's and a button down blue shirt, slipping on some different shoes and leaving his hat on the dresser of the hotel room. “Better?” he asked Kristen as he turned around, watching her look him up and down and nod, then say something about a belt and tucking his shirt in. “Yeah...be right back.”

Joey left and went over to Lance's room. He'd left his belts in Lance's stuff when they'd been tossing stuff in bags. He knocked on the door and was relieved when his friend opened it, his phone to his ear.

“No Rach, it's Joey,” Lance told her, letting him in and digging through his own stuff. “I am not telling him that. I'm not!”

“Telling me what?” Joey asked, putting his belt in his teeth and tucking in his shirt. With Rachel it could be anything.

“They slept together. I'm sure they've done it before he went to visit...” Lance told her, exasperated. His face changing to another emotion, one that Joey couldn't read. “Just leave it alone. We'll be home in a couple of weeks..Love you too.” Lance hung up the phone and threw it on the bed.

“What are you supposed to tell me?” Joey asked again, ignoring the jealous streak that went through him thinking about Melissa sleeping with another guy. He'd never slept with her, so it shouldn't matter to him. They were just friends..well, used to be anyways.

“Nothing. No one knows how to mind their own business,” Lance said, grabbing the remote. “You look nice..a little too nice to eat barbeque.”

“Let's just agree to not talk about it,” Joey told him. “Any of it.”

“Fine with me,” Lance said, giving Joey one more glance. He'd agree with Rachel to lock them in a closet together as soon as they got to Florida if he thought it would help, listening to his friend leave. He had his own issues, leaning back on the hotel pillows, intending not to get up and do anything.
*^*^*^*^^*

“What's wrong?” JC asked Joey, watching him hold his hand over his forehead and eyes. He blanched when Joey looked at him, his friend's eyes were bloodshot.

“Migraine from hell,” Joey muttered laying back on the couch. It was between sound check and performance. The drinks from last night, coupled with more when he and Kristen got back to the hotel and the long night and little sleep made the small headache/hangover turn into something worse as the day wore on. His girlfriend was still sleeping at the hotel, leaving him to deal with it himself. He'd taken four Aleve and then some Motrin, waiting for it to work.

“You better be ready to sing in a couple hours,” Lance said, coming in to sit beside Joey in a chair.

Joey just groaned in response, his arm across his face. He couldn't even think of the stage lights and dancing, the thought of even moving made him feel sick. “I want someone to rub my head,” he groaned in a muffled voice, knowing there was no one that would.

“Tough shit. You lost your hair sex,” Justin said as he came in and heard, making the other guys raise an eyebrow. “What? He looked like his hair got molested when he had it done. Had this stupid look on his face too.”

“It was fucking relaxing! Have you ever had it done?” Joey sniped, moving his arm and shooting Justin a dirty look. “It was just Mel rubbing my scalp.”

“Have Kristen do it. She's your girlfriend,” Chris told him, as if that was the simple solution to everything.

“Thank you, Captain Obvious.” Joey sat up and groaned more. “Just give me an hour..I'm going to see our physician.” They had a doctor that traveled with them, in case of sprains and small things. Joey made his way down to where he was and twenty minutes later was feeling surprisingly better, although he'd never admit that he got a shot in the ass. The pain wasn't completely gone, but having sat in a dark room for that amount of time made him able to open his eyes and not feel like he was going to be sick.

Kristen showed up while Joey was changing for the first set of songs. She was dressed to kill, the pass hanging around her neck letting her into where they were. She was wearing a short skirt and a tank top, looking more like a teenager than a woman. “Hey, babe,” she ignored Justin rolling his eyes, sitting down next to Joey who was buttoning up his shirt over his t-shirt.

“Hey,” Joey said, leaning over to give her a kiss. Whatever perfume she was wearing made his head pound and he winced. “What are you wearing?” he asked, stepping away as the throbbing started over his eye.

“My perfume?” she asked, watching him nod, naming off the expensive brand. “Why?”

“My head's killing me, and that's not helping,” he said with a sigh, moving to the make up chair, telling the girl just to leave his hair alone instead of spiking it up.

“Did you take something?”

Joey clenched his jaw, trying not to get mad. She wasn't here when he had, so of course she would ask. “Yeah, took stuff.” It was going to be a long night. They all had their hands in for the NSYNC yell when the shot really kicked in. Joey just prayed it would work for the next two hours, at least long enough to get back on the bus.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“What do you mean we're not going out?” Kristen asked, putting her hands on her hips and sticking her lip out at Joey, watching him slip his shoes off and put them in his bunk. They still had a few hours until the bus left and everyone else was going to get something to eat.

“Let me rephrase that. I'm not going out. I've spent the whole time I was awake until two hours ago sick as a dog with a migraine. I was dizzy the whole performance and all I want to do is sleep, Kris. If you want to go out, by all means, have at it,” Joey told her, his voice having a bite to it.

“No, I'll just stay here,” she said, putting down her purse beside Joey. “Why are you acting like this?” Kristen was surprsied when he gave her a look and started muttering in Italian.

“Go eat with them. I don't want to see you right now. Just let me have a few hours to sleep,” Joey bit off his words, getting up long enough to give her a peck on the cheek and get her off the bus. He sighed when the curtain was pulled on the bunk, making it dark and the engine of the bus doing it's usual hum. He knew he was an ass when he didn't feel well. Joey laid there, groaning when he felt his phone buzz beside his head. He let it go to voicemail before he opened his phone and hit the button that would let him listen.

“Hey Joey, it's Mel,” he gave a small smile at the sound of her voice, “I meant to call you a couple days ago.. Made a 78 on the test and an A on the homework. Hope you're having a good weekend and...”she hesitated as if she was going to say more, but didn't. “Talk to you later..”

He'd said they weren't friends anymore, but he couldn't just forget. Joey knew he needed to apologize, but he wasn't sure how. And he wasn't sure if she'd let him. Melissa was stubborn about things when she got it set in her mind. Joey closed his eyes and his mind drifted off, letting his jealous monster out now that he was alone. He let it come out and swallow him, knowing the way his lips felt against hers, the fantasy of it taking over, his heart twisting that Travis would touch Melissa like that, even more than she'd let him.

Joey had it planned out as he laid there, half asleep, his head at a dull throb. He'd apologize. He'd beg if necessary, anything to get his best friend back to being his best friend again. Then when the time was right he'd tell her how he felt. It was the first time in six weeks that Joey actually saw a little color come back in his world.
Chapter 9 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
Okay figured out what was going wonky on updating. Giving you all the chapters I have done so far. Enjoy!!! Thank you for the reads and reviews.
The buses taking NSYNC and their entourage rolled into Orlando early in the morning. The sun gave off a nice light glow as it broke over the horizon, making Joey smile. Home. As much as he loved touring and singing and dancing with his friends, he was thankful it was over. He looked over and nodded when JC sat down on the opposite side of the table from him, watching the scenery for a minute, with Joey looking back out the window.

“You've been quiet the past few days,” JC said, looking at Joey. They'd all been relieved at Kristen's departure from the tour bus, glad when his phone rang the next day with Melissa on the phone asking him about her classwork.

“Just thinking, Josh...” Joey told him, sighing heavily. “Not going into record and the holiday season without trying to make things right with Mel. Not sure how to apologize..”

“You say you're sorry,” JC said, giving him a small smile.

“I know that,” Joey said, running a hand through his hair, “ just trying to figure out if I should bring flowers or what. She'll probably tell me to piss off.”

“What did you say anyway?” the other man asked, then held up his hands. “Nevermind. None of my business.”

Neither of them heard Justin until he scooted Joey over. “Whatever it was, he should have kept his fucking mouth shut. Mel told me the other day she tried to cook eggs.” Justin made a yikes face.

Joey blinked a couple times, remembering the last time she'd announced she was cooking him breakfast. He'd gotten up a few minutes after her and ended up doing it when smoke was coming from the toaster. “Did she burn the kitchen down?” he asked, trying hard not to laugh.

“No. She said they were barely edible though. Rubbery...I'm buying her cooking classes for Christmas. That and an apron and some dishes,” Justin announced, a grin on his face.

JC and Joey chuckled, then Joey looked at Justin. “I love you, man.” He pulled Justin to him in a brotherly hug.

“What did I do? Get off me, dawg!”

“I know how I'm apologizing,” Joey said, letting Justin go, grabbing his phone. He thought about what all they had to do today before the show and knew he only had a little time between all of his obligations and the show. It was early, but he knew someone would answer the phone at his parents house. “Hi Pop,” Joey said, sitting down in his bunk.

“Morning, Joe, what has you calling so early? Is everything alright?” Joe Senior asked, putting down the morning paper and leaning back in his chair out on the patio.

“Yeah, everything's fine. I need Mom to do something for me. I need her to mix up some bread dough for me. You know, the Fatone recipe,” Joey requested, giving his dad a list, excited about what he'd had planned. When his father asked, Joey just gave it as the excuse about wanting to surprise Melissa. He hung up a little bit later, laying back on his bunk. It wasn't that Joey was a chef, but he wasn't bad around the kitchen. He'd even helped Mel whip up stuff for Thanksgiving, simple stuff she couldn't mess up. It always made him laugh that he liked a girl that couldn't cook. He'd asked her once why she didn't like it, and he found out that she just wasn't good at it. She didn't pretend she was to impress him, and that made it that much more endearing.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Melissa groaned as she hit the alarm clock. She laid there in bed, waiting until the last minute to get up. She had classes and then work, then running back home to get ready for the concert. She might not have been on tour, but she never missed the Orlando show. The guys were more relaxed and it always made it the best show of the tour. That and they always took a couple weeks off to go so family and get away, from each other and their 'other life' as they called it while on tour. She got up and made her way to the shower, letting the hot water hit her and wake her up. A part of her was excited to see the guys, especially Joey, even if she was still hurt. A conversation with Rachel came back to her, making her frown as she shampooed her hair.

“Ya know Mel, maybe Joey's jealous. Ever think of that while you sit here, pissed off that he hurt your feelings?” Rachel said out of nowhere as they watched Law & Order: SVU.

“Why would he be jealous of Travis? He has a girlfriend.”

“That horse has left the stable a month ago. Maybe he just doesn't know what to say to you. I mean, what if he's scared?”

Melissa laughed at the thought, shaking her head. “I think you've drank too much Pepsi tonight. Joey's never been afraid to tell anyone how he feels. I think you and Justin should start a club for people that like to meddle. Busy Bodies Anonymous. Timberlake's worse than another woman.”

The two of them watched television until the show was over and Rachel got up, tossing the remote on the couch next to her friend. “All I'm saying is that you should give the guy a chance to say he's sorry. He's not as heartless as you make him out to be, Mel. Maybe there's something else there.”

“I think you need professional help, but I'll think about it.”


Grabbing a towel, Melissa stepped out of the shower and sighed. It had been emotionally draining this whole time not being happy with her friend. Her heart ached at not being able to talk to him like she had before; the closeness. It had come out in moments while they were on the phone as she went through her math homework.

The cleaning lady was coming today, so as she got dressed, Melissa picked up things and put them up so it would be easier on her. It was nice to have someone to come in and dust and things like that. The same woman cleaned Justin and Chris' houses, knowing how they all were. The clothes were thrown in the hamper and her bed made, she gathered up her keys and phone, messaging Rachel about tonight. They were going to get something to eat and go over to the concert venue and watch sound check and hang around backstage.

Her phone rang as she was attempting to fix her hair and she answered it, putting it on speaker.

“Hi brother,” she said, grabbing a piece of hair with her straightener. “Are you glad to be home?”

“More than you know,” Lance told her, sitting on the tour bus. “You're coming tonight, right?”

“No, I thought I'd go watch a movie,” she replied lamely. “Dang it!” she cursed, the flat iron getting her ear. “Yes, I'll be there. Send Rachel a text to grab her hard card. She always forgets the damn thing and has to be interrogated before they let her through. Mo does it just to piss her off.”

Lance laughed, taking a deep breath. “I'm telling the rest of the guys, Mel. Before the next tour..I mean, I'm sure they suspect, but Joey's not saying anything. I'm not going to come out though until we're done, ya know. No sense in letting it ruin what we have.” Lance had been thinking hard the last couple of weeks. He hated hiding this part of his life, especially to three of the four guys he considered brothers. He wasn't worried about how they would take it, at least too much. The fans, the press, the public in general worried him more.

She stood in the kitchen, her hand on the counter, listening to the change of subject. Her heart had ached for her brother. The world expected him to be a heterosexual guy, interested in girls. She knew how hard it was for him, maybe not personally, but being her brother, she knew it bothered him. “I'm proud of you, Lance. And I love you. Not for that, but for being my brother. You have the biggest heart of anyone I know...” she couldn't help it, she sniffled as a tear fell down.

“Don't cry, Melly. I love my life. Wouldn't change anything..well, almost anything,” Lance told her, a smile on his face. “I'm home! Now we can sit and watch Survivor,” he said, making her laugh. “I love you, little sister. Get out the door before you're late. I gotta get off here and go do some press stuff,” Lance got up from the couch, knocking Joey playfully in the shoulder. “Bye, Mel.”

“Bye, Melly, I love you!” Chris yelled at the phone, laughing when Joey started singing Bye Bye Bye before Lance could hang up, Justin chiming in with him.

“They're all crazy,” JC muttered, slipping on his sunglasses, a wide smile coming to his face. He was in agreement. It was so good to be home.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“You look tired, honey,” Phyllis Fatone told her youngest son, giving him a hug after she opened the door and let him in. “Are you glad to be home?”

Joey enveloped his mother in a hug, not answering about being tired. “Very glad. Thanks for going shopping for me. We got done early, so I'm going over to Lance and Mel's and hang out. Where's Pop?”

“Your father's over at the neighbor's..something about a grill,” she threw her hands up in an 'I Don't Know' gesture.

The two of them talked, Joey looking around the kitchen of his parents home. He sat on one of the stools at the bar after inspecting the bags to make sure he didn't need anything else. “Mom, you like Mel right?” he asked, fiddling with his hat, not looking at his mother.

Phyllis watched her son and smiled, sitting down beside him. “You know we love Melissa. She's practically part of the family. You two are attached at the hip...Why do you ask?”

Joey sighed, running a hand over his face. “I think I'm in love with her. I mean, I think I have been for a long time, but just now realized it. And I said something I shouldn't have,” he gave his Mom a look and smiled. “You women are complicated.”

Phyllis laughed, kissing Joey's cheek. “Then apologize to her first. Make sure she knows you mean it,” she admonished him, cupping his face. “Just be the charming man I know you can be. Not what all those girls want screaming to you from the barrier. The one you are when you're with her.”

“I will. Wish me luck,” Joey replied, kissing his mother before grabbing the groceries and leaving, giving her a wave before he backed out of the driveway.

Phyllis waved back and went back inside her house, a smile on her face. Three years. She sent up a quick prayer that things would go well between them.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Joey smiled when he heard the buzz that announced someone was in the driveway. The bread was in the oven and the homemade cheese tortellini was also in there with the sauce simmering on the stove. He went and looked, seeing Melissa get out, knowing she wouldn't think he was here. He and Lance had met up and traded vehicles.

He heard the door open and went to meet Melissa, chuckling at the surprised look on her face to see him there instead of Lance. “Surprise,” he said, looking her up and down, aching to pull her to him.

Melissa swallowed hard, trying to play it off that she was not as happy to see Joey as she really was. She raised an eyebrow at him, coming into the living room. “I thought you had stuff to do,” she said, spotting flowers on the coffee table. Not just one bouquet, but there were three different ones, all full of her favorite flowers. “So you bought flowers and something smells wonderful...” Melissa walked over to him, looking Joey up and down.

“I got done early,” Joey told her, watching her look around. He felt nervous for the first time ever around her, mostly because of his feelings he felt. He knew that part would have to come later, but for now he wanted to apologize. “Come sit with me while I finish up?” Joey pulled a chair out from the bar and sat it by the dishwasher so they could talk and he could cook.

Melissa nodded, sitting down. “You made me Italian...I called to see if you wanted to go to Mr. Chow's...” she trailed off, not sure of what to say first.

“If you want Chinese, we'll go later tonight,” Joey told her, stirring the sauce and checking the bread. Turning off the oven and sauce after getting everything out.

“Joey I-”

“I'm sorry, Mel,” Joey said, interrupting her, coming to where she was sitting after pulling out another chair. “I don't know why I said what I did. You're right, I'm an asshole. It's killed me to not have you talk to me like we used to. That you're here and I'm off wherever...I need you,” he said. The other three little words had almost surfaced, but he held those back. “Yeah, I came and made you dinner and bought flowers to apologize, but I wanted to do it too.” His voice broke a little, looking away from her. “I'll beg if you want me to,” he said softly.

Melissa blinked back tears, biting her lip. She pulled Joey's face back to look at her. It didn't matter what anyone thought, she wanted her friend back. “Don't beg,” she replied, giving him a smile. “I...I've missed you too,” Melissa wrapped her arms around him, letting herself hug him, burying her face in his chest. His scent made her sigh and she felt better than she had in two months when his arms wrapped around her.

Joey held her close, sending up a thanks to God that she hadn't thrown him out. “So what's this I hear about you fixing eggs the other day?” he said after a moment, a smile coming to his face.

“Shut up! Justin doesn't know how to keep his trap shut,” Melissa said, pulling away from him and looking embarrassed. “I just..got the pan too hot or didn't stir them or something. Your best friend can't cook worth a crap, Joey.”

“That's why you have me, bambina. I won't let you starve,” Joey told her, pulling her to him once more. “I'm sorry,” he repeated, wanting to make sure she knew he was.

“I know. I am too...I shouldn't have gotten so mad. I mean, neither one of us seems to think good when we're mad and I just hated that I was so jealous...” the word slipped out of her mouth before she could stop it and she looked at Joey, pulling herself out of his arms. “I need to go change clothes,” she said quickly, not sure what she was doing, or feeling. She knew what it was, but Melissa wasn't going to open her mouth. Not so soon.

“Wait..” Joey said, following her and grabbing her arm gently before she could shut the door to her room, “talk to me.” Joey watched the gauntlet of emotions cross her face, feeling his own breath catch. When she didn't and just bit her lip, he smiled. “Why were you jealous of Kristen?”

“Just..because..she had you..and I hadn't seen you in six weeks.” Melissa stammered, shrugging.

“You'd have been on the next flight out if you'd have called,” he informed her, letting her go and sitting on her bed. He saw a photo album laying on her dresser. “You finally got around to using my Christmas present,” he said, watching Melissa pick it up and hand it to him.

“Actually, Rachel said she needed a project. I just had all the photos,” she told him, sitting next to him on the bed. Melissa had flipped through it so many times she had it memorized. Rachel had went OCD on it and put all the of the pictures in order of when they happened, even sticking in pages of drawings with dates. They were all of her and Joey, some group pics, but mostly them.

Joey flipped through the pictures, a funny look on his face. He got about halfway through and pointed to a picture of them at his sister's house. They'd been washing dishes since the dishwasher was already full and going with holiday dishes. Joey still had his brother in law's “Kiss The Cook” apron and she was giving him a kiss on the cheek as he held a dirty pan a surprised look on his face,, her holding the dish soap. The next picture was Joey with Ajax on his apron and in the pan,laughing. “That was the first time I realized you were my best friend,” he said, giving her a smile.


Melissa smiled, taking the album from him and flipped over to one of the whole group, but she was next to Joey as they were doing the before show prayer. Everyone had their eyes closed but them, giving each other a goofy grin. “The show in Toronto. Where we snuck out after the show and ran around downtown. Rachel told me she'd been replaced as my best friend. And I told her no, that you were my guy best friend. I think you had been before that, but ya know...”

The space between them lessened as Joey leaned in, giving her the softest of kisses on her lips. “Let's eat before it gets cold,” he said, winding his fingers in hers, sliding the photo album out of her lap.

“Yeah, food sounds good.” Melissa's lips felt like they were on fire and she tried desperately not to over-think it. She smiled at the flowers, going to smell them. “These are absolutely gorgeous, Joey. Gonna have to tell Lance his version of flowers sucks,” she said with a smile, going to grab plates, handing them to him. “Speaking of my brother, he's thinking of telling the other guys about his sexual status.”

Joey dished out food, pausing a moment at that statement. “I think they pretty much know, but, I mean, we're here for him. You know that. He deserves to be happy and be who he is.”

“I think he's scared of what everyone else will think. Or that if he came out before NSYNC was done..what it might do. I mean, he'll probably just want to wait for it go public until after then,” Melissa said as they sat down. She took Joey's hand as he said a quick grace.

The meal was delicious, both of them eating until they couldn't eat anymore, both of them cleaning up. “How long do we have?” Melissa asked, looking at the clock.

“Sound check's in an hour. So we have thirty minutes,” Joey told her, pulling her back for one more hug. “We still never had our sing off. And your hair is still blonde.”

Melissa laughed, playing with his hair, getting a groan from him. “You should go blonde and I'll go purple.”

“I'll call tomorrow and get it set up.”

There was a buzz and a minute later the door opened, both of them hearing Lance and Rachel's voices. Their friends stopped and looked at Joey and Mel close together, both of them grinning like the cheshire cat.

“Good thing we didn't wait to come back, they might have been naked,” Rachel said, chuckling when Mel gave her the finger. “Sorry you aren't my type.”

“Whatever. We talked, that doesn't mean we're getting married.”

Lance smiled and nodded a hello to Joey as the girls went to Melissa's room. “Nice flowers. I see you were channeling your inner florist.”

“More like I was channeling whatever I could do to get her to talk to me,” Joey said, grabbing the vases and setting them on a couple of the end tables. “I think we're okay. I told her I was sorry and a jackass.”

“Just make sure you don't hurt my sister, Fatone. I'd hate to have to bury you with the fishes,” Lance said, making Joey laugh.

“You forget I'm Italian. That's old school. And it's sleep with the fishes,” Joey said replied with a laugh. It was going to be a good show and he was pumped up.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“You look hot, woman,” Rachel told Mel a little bit later as they finished getting ready. She'd pulled out her friend's closet, finding a white tank top and then a capped sleeve shirt that was navy blue and some ripped Aeropostale jeans and paired them with some cute shoes. Make up and hair done, she shoved Melissa in front of a mirror. “See? It never hurts you to dress up a little. Impress some guy.”

“You could impress a guy wearing a mu-mu and curlers, so I'm not listening to you.”

“Says the woman who has three vases full of beautiful flowers and a man who cooked you dinner. A man doesn't cook dinner unless he wants to,” Rachel informed her, grabbing her own lipstick and putting some on.

“He was apologizing,” Melissa retorted, grabbing her keys and shoving her wallet and debit card in the back of her pants before grabbing her hard card that let her get everywhere. “You riding with me?” she asked, watching Rachel nod before they went out to the living room where Lance and Joey were sitting watching baseball.

“Ewww..you watch this?” Rachel asked, gesturing to the television.

“It's the national past time,” Lance replied, shrugging. He didn't mind baseball, watching the other sports stats run on the bottom of the screen.

“You girls watch all sorts of stupid stuff and we can't watch baseball? It's tied at the bottom of the sixth,” Joey told them, looking over at Melissa when she flopped down beside him. “You smell good,” he said, catching a whiff of perfume. Nothing overpowering, and noticing she had on make up. “You look nice too. What's the occasion?”

“See Rach! I told you he'd ask,” Melissa said as Joey and Lance both laughed.

“No, you said I could impress a guy in nothing but a night gown and curlers. Then earlier you asked what color eyeshadow you should wear.” Rachel laughed as she watched her friend pretend not to be pleased. “Don't we need to be leaving?” she asked, making them all look at the clock.

“I'll ride with Lance, since it's the last time we'll sing together for at least two weeks.” Joey hugged Lance, pretending to be upset. “I don't know how I can go on....”

Lance stood there, rolling his eyes but with a smile on his face. “You'll live, Fatone. You'll be over here bugging the shit out of me in a few days. Or you'll have my sister at your house, making her watch Star Wars for hours on end.”

Joey stopped, lifting his head and looking at his friend. “She never complained.”

“That's because you fed me chocolate and let me use the jacuzzi tub,” Melissa said, pulling Rachel out the door. “JC will be pissed if you are late.”

Joey looked at Lance, surprised. “I never told her she could use the jacuzzi tub.”

Lance laughed, “That's what you get for being best friends with a girl.”

Joey grinned evilly, “Your sister was naked in my house,” he laughed more at the awful look Lance gave him, his mind wandering to somewhere it shouldn't as they got into Lance's car, looking out the window as traffic went by. “So did you and Rachel have fun?” he asked, breaking the silence, save for the radio.

“Yeah, we went to Bluto's Diner,” Lance told him as they got on the interstate. “I think I wanna tell the rest of the guys tonight after the show. I don't want to keep it a secret, at least from them. I told Rachel she could be there too..since she's going to be my cover at least until NSYNC is done.”

Joey blinked a couple times, letting the words sink in. “I love you, man. You got more balls than the rest of us...and no matter who you're with, you're still my best friend,” he gave a chuckle, “so what made you and Rach decide to do this? I mean, is she sure she wants to?”

Lance looked at Joey and nodded. “She told me she wasn't ready for a relationship again like she'd had before. She knows it's for show, and we get along well. I asked if she minded doing PDA or kissing me maybe,” he smiled a bit, “she asked if she could grab my ass.”

Laughing, Joey shook his head. “Sounds like Rachel. She's intense, that's for sure. A no bullshit type person when it comes to what she wants. I'm happy for you in your pseudo­ relationship.”

“Thanks. It means a lot. I keep hoping the rest of the guys will take it as good...I mean, the media, the fans...” he sighed. “Do you ever wish all this hadn't have happened?”

Joey thought about his answer. “Sometimes. Especially the days where we're so busy it's insane or so tired I just want to tell everyone to kiss my ass. Then I get to meet people like Ashleigh...make their day a little brighter.”

Lance nodded in agreement and the two of them went on to talk about other subjects as the traffic made it's way towards downtown Orlando.

*^*^*^*^*^*^

“You should have let me drive,” Melissa told Rachel as they weaved in and out of traffic, trying to keep up with Joey and Lance. “You drive like we're at a NASCAR race.”

“Will you shut up? You drive like an old woman. I'll get us there in time,” Rachel said, giving the car more gas.

“In time for what? We aren't performing? I'd like to get there, not be going to the morgue.” Melissa grinned brighter when she spotted Lance's car. She made stupid faces at him as they drove past, blowing kisses and sticking her tongue out at Joey, laughing as Rachel slowed back down to get behind them.

“See, it was worth it right there. You worry too much,” Rachel said, looking over at Melissa. “Lance and I had an interesting conversation while you and Joey were playing house...” she smiled as Melissa gave a snort and continued. “He wants to tell the guys..about being gay. But he doesn't want it to come out yet. So we talked about me being his girlfriend. I told him, sure...What do you think about it?” Rachel chewed on her lip, wondering how her best friend would feel about her pretending to date her brother.

“I...If that's what he wants. And if you don't mind. Might be kinda nice to be with a guy who doesn't think about sex all the time. At least with a female,” Melissa said with a chuckle, then got serious. “I love you both. If that's what you want to do, then I'm for it. I still don't see why you aren't married and have three kids by now.”

“Men are so over-rated, Mel. Other than you and Joey Wan Kenobi, most men are stupid little kids. Joey's a stupid little kid, but he's your best friend. So he gets points for that.”

“Good to know,” Melissa said, the girls talking about it a little more. She was confident the rest of NSYNC would be okay with the news, maybe a little shocked, but nothing they couldn't all talk about and handle.

They pulled in to park and all got out at roughly the same time. Joey went over to Melissa's car and pulled her out and to him. “I missed you!” He grinned at her and hugged her hard. “I was so lonely...”

“Can't breathe...Joey,” Mel said, letting out a breath when he let go, slipping her arm through his as they walked into the back of the arena. “Shall we?” she asked, raising an eyebrow.

Joey nodded as they both started singing 'Barbie Girl' loudly, laughing as they changed up words.

Rachel watched them and looked at Lance. “Are you sure it's safe to go in there after them?”

“They'll get it out of their system in a few years,” Lance replied, holding the door open for her. “I see you got my text,” he said, pulling at her hard card and looking at it before letting it go to hang around her neck.

“Yep. You only texted me five times,” Rachel told him with a grin. Going in, she could still hear Joey and Melissa singing, but now it was 'Baby One More Time'. “Britney's gonna love that,” she muttered, rolling her eyes, but still with a smile on her face. “You nervous?” she asked Lance, watching him sigh deeply.

“A little..but..thanks. I mean it, Rach.” Lance pulled her in for a hug. “I don't know what I'd do without ya.”

Rachel hugged him back. “That's what I'm here for. Damage control. Oh my God,” she said, stopping at the door marked NSYNC.

“My loneliness is killing me, I must confess, I still believe...” Melissa sang, shaking her hips like Britney did, only Joey was doing it too as Britney was almost laying on the couch, along with Justin, JC, and Chris, all of them laughing so hard they were crying. “When I'm not with you, I lose my mind, give me a sign, hit me baby one more time.”

"Think we can talk your mother into putting her in a psychiatric hospital?" Rachel murmured as she stared at the scene in front of her.

"Not unless they'll take them both," Lance replied, shaking his head.

"Maybe we can get a two for one?" Rachel whispered, hopeful.

"They already gave Joey back, you saw the video."
Chapter 10 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
Mad props to my girl jr88freak for helping me with the first little blurb on this chapter. I blame Ryan Seacrest for my writers block. Why? I guess because I can. ;) Enjoy all the updating.
That atmosphere was loud and crazy at the Orlando Arena. The boys jogged off the stage after performing the last song of the night, Bye Bye Bye. They could hear the roaring crowd as they clapped, screamed and stomped their feet.
"Wow," JC breathed as he used a white towel to mop his face. He took the offered bottle of water and gulped hungrily.

It's great to be home," Chris said as took a seat on one on of the trunks used to store the stage equipment. He took a big drink of his own water. No matter where the band had performed, there was no better place than performing in your home town, in front of friends and family. There would never be anything more satisfying.

The crowd still carried on and the guys finished their water and picked up their microphones. They took a moment to calm their breathing from the fast-paced two hour performance.

"Ready?" Justin asked the group. At their nods, the group made their way back out onto the stage, much to the delight of the crowd.

The crowd screamed louder then before, screaming with delight. They yelled, clapped their hands, pumped their fists in the air, waved their hands around. It was quite a ruckus. They guys loved every minute of it. The tiredness from the show forgotten as the fans screamed their names.

Lance touched a few hands as they reached out toward the group, noticing as the rest of the guys did the same. He smiled and winked at a couple,chuckling as he noticed their reactions. It still amazed him every time a girl cried when he smiled at her or touched her hand.

"Orlandooooooo" Justin yelled into his microphone causing the crowd to go wild. "You know we couldn't leave without at least one more song."

"You guys have been awesome tonight," Joey followed. "It's always great to come home."

"I don't know," JC started, looking at over the thousands of people standing. Flashbulbs flickered wildly. He wiggled his fingers at a girl waved desperately at him. "You think we should perform another song?"

His questioned garnered more screams and yells in affirmation.

"I don't know," Chris answered after the screams and yells as somewhat quieted. "It doesn't sound like it."

"I think Orlando can do better than that," Justin's voice rang out and the band grinned as they listened as the crowd got even louder. "Orlando sure knows how to make you feel loved." He grinned as he heard two female voices distinctively scream out, 'We love you Justin!'. "I love you too." That made the crowd cheer louder.

The band members looked at each other and nodded and the music started and JC started to sing.

"Lie in your arms, so close together, didn't know just what I had. Now I toss and turn, cause i'm with out you, how I'm missing you so bad."

Joey looked out into the crowd, smiling and winking at Melissa as he sang. Of course it garnered screams for him from other fans, watching her mouth the words. He couldn't help it that he thought it was funny to think of her as a fan as well, being able to separate him from the music. That he was a real person. The past two months had made him realize that he'd missed that more than anything. The woman that saw him just as Joey.

“He is so obvious,” Rachel leaned in and said, watching the guys say their goodbye's to their fans.

“Obvious what?” Melissa asked, trying to make Lance laugh now that he was on her side of the stage.

“I am locking the two of you in a closet and throwing away the key,” Rachel muttered, a slight smile on her face. She'd had a great time at the concert, and was still amazed at the amount of people that were packed in there, mostly preteen adolescent girls and quite a few older teens and their moms who had come to see NSYNC. It was absolute craziness. Her mind wandered to Lance and what she'd agreed to do. The being affectionate part and genuinely liking Lance wasn't going to be the hard part. She was just afraid of things coming out before he wanted them to. What it might mean for him, for the group. “Let's head backstage,” she told Melissa, as the two girls headed towards security to be let back as the last strains of the song was ending.

“I think I will be deaf in the morning,” Melissa said, her ears ringing, a huge smile on her face. She screamed when she was grabbed from behind, turning around to smack whoever it was and being pulled into a hug by Joey. “You jerk,” she said playfully, smacking him on the shoulder.

“You know you like it,” he responded, holding her for a second and then letting her go. “Meeting in twenty minutes,” Joey told her, moving past her, giving her arm a squeeze.

Melissa watched him go into their dressing rooms where the showers were, knowing they'd all want to be clean and a little more relaxed before they got down to what Lance wanted to talk about, as well as the schedule for recording.

“I'm gonna go see if they have a Pepsi and something to snack on over in catering,” Rachel told her, seeing Travis coming towards them. She put on her best 'good girl' face and walked past him, saying hi. She still didn't miss him look her up and down, rolling her eyes when she heard him speak to Melissa.

“Hey babe,” Travis said, pulling her close and giving her a kiss. “You want to go get something to eat when we're done?” he asked, looking her over, hoping she'd say they could go back to her place or do something.

“I would, but I have a meeting I got asked to be at,” she replied, winding her fingers through his. “How long are you staying now that the tour's over?” She knew he'd been talking about going back home for a while before the new tour started, having to reapply for the job before the new tour started.

“I'll be here until the end of the week, depending on everything. You need to show me around some more, maybe we can go to Disney World or Universal Studios,” he suggested, leaning down to whisper in her ear, “and maybe some alone time.”

Melissa gave him a grin, not sure how she felt about the sex, but not wanting to shut him down right then. “I'll see if they'll let me off a day or two. I'm supposed to go with Joey tomorrow to get my hair done...” it was a totally innocent comment and she was surprised when Travis glared at her and shook his head. “What? I told him way back I'd go have my hair done...”

“I thought you were fighting with him, that you weren't speaking,” Travis told her, letting her out of his embrace most of the way.

“He apologized,” Melissa replied, stepping back. “Don't be jealous, Trav.”

“Jealous? I'm not jealous, Mel. The guy reads comic books and dyes his hair stupid colors. I could care less if you're friends with him...but it seems funny to me you weren't talking to him and now you're going on a date,” he snapped, folding his arms across his chest.

“It's not a date!” she hissed. “You're the only guy I'm dating! I hardly think going to get my hair done qualifies as a date.”

“Then it must qualify as something. Are you going to spend the whole day with him?”

“He never said. Why are you acting like this? Are you pissed because I can't come see you in Minnesota until Thanksgiving break?”

“Something like that. I realized you'll be with everyone else except me. It pisses me off that you don't seem really worried about it, about us. How do you think that makes me feel?”

“I don't know,” Melissa said, looking him over, swallowing hard. She was confused, wanting to break up with him, but knew that was only part of her problem. She hadn't told Joey how she felt, not going to guess how Joey felt about her. Plus the fact he was still dating Kristen.

Neither one of them heard the door open to the dressing room and Chris stuck his head out.

“Uh, Mel...” he said, looking at her and Travis, neither one of them looking happy.

Melissa sighed, listening to Travis' walkie talkie go off, asking where he was. “I'll wait for you to get done and we can go to dinner,” she said softly after he'd answered, telling them he'd be there in a few minutes.

Travis nodded, kissing her cheek. “Just remember, you're my girlfriend.”

Melissa stood there a few seconds, then looked at Chris. “Yeah?” she said, pushing down the emotions she was feeling, knowing it was probably time for the meeting.

“We heard voices, I was sent to make sure you were okay,” he replied, coming out to where she was, pulling her to him. “What was the problem?”

“Nothing, Kirkpatrick. Just stupid stuff...”

“You wouldn't be fighting if it was stupid,” Chris told her, raising an eyebrow, pulling her along to the room where catering was. “Help me grab stuff.” They joined Rachel, gathering up drinks and snacks and the three of them walked back to the dressing room. “I found the girls,” he yelled like Melissa and Rachel had been lost.

Rachel shook her head at him and sat down between Lance and JC, giving Lance a smile. “You okay?” she asked softly, watching him fiddle with his phone.

“Yeah, for the most part,” he replied softly. His hair was still wet from the shower, in clean jeans and a t-shirt, much like the rest of his buddies. “Thanks again, Rach.”

“What are friends for?” Rachel took a drink of her Pepsi and looked around the room. She was sure that the guys in the room were all going to take the announcement in stride.

“Let's start this,” JC said, waiting until they were all settled. “We have a couple weeks off and then come back to record. We've all had a chance to listen to the demo's and what's been written and agreed on the song list.” There was discussion of studio times and other things pertaining to recording and performing, including starting to look at venues for shows.

“I want some time off to see family this year for the holidays,” Joey said, watching as they all nodded. “I don't care to go sing for something, maybe take a day, but I'm not killing myself. If we all talk to management and they don't listen, I'm going to pitch a bitch.”

“No shit,” Justin said, sitting back. “Recording, cool. Practice, fine..time away from my homies...No bueno. Going to Memphis this year and you fuckers better come for bowling night. It's the night after Christmas and they close the place down. Bring friends if you want, just be there.”

The discussion went on a bit longer on official business and then Lance cleared his throat. He was nervous, giving Rachel a glance, relieved when she took his hand. “I..I gotta tell you guys something. Well, part of you...it might be something you know already,” he eyed them all, blowing out a breath. “I'm gay...And I'm tired of you all not knowing. Or at least me being out with it with all of you. I don't want it to go farther than us. I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet..That's why Rachel's graciously agreed to be my girlfriend. Well, in theory only.”

“Wow,” Justin said after a few moments. “Can't say it's not a total surprise but at the same time...We got your back, dawg.” He got up and hugged Lance. “No one disses on my brother from another mother, you feel me?”

Lance laughed, hugging Justin back, before JC hugged him and Rachel both. “Just let us know if you need anything...”

“Like a date night or time alone,” Chris told them with a smile, hugging the two of them. “I mean, what's a good relationship without a date night.”

“You've never been on a date, how would you know?” Joey teased Chris, taking the punch to the kidney before hugging Lance. “I love you, brother. You know that.”

“I know,” Lance told him, feeling better than he had in a long time. They all talked about it, agreeing that Rachel should try and come on tour some after it was underway, and that any media coverage with her would have the same back story. She was his sister's best friend and they gradually fell in love over the years, finally making it a relationship.

“Ya want to go out with us to get something to eat?” Lance asked Rachel as the guys rounded up their stuff. It would give them time to get to know one another better, not that they didn't, but just a good chance to hang out.

“Yeah, love to,” Rachel told him, standing up and grabbing her Pepsi bottle to throw away. She shouldered her purse and looked over at Melissa who was playing thumb wrestling with Joey. “Shall we go gather up thing 1 and thing 2?”

“Nah, they'll leave when they figure out they're the only ones here.” Lance laughed, hollering at Joey, making him lose.

“Damn it, Bass...” Joey said when he felt Melissa's thumb grab his and she laughed. “Cheater.”

“Whatever you big loser. You going to eat with everyone?” she asked, moving away when he tried to grab her and throw her over his shoulder. Melissa knew it was adrenaline, that he'd be behaved later in public.

“Yeah, you're going too right?” Joey asked her, getting close enough to wrap his arms around her and pull her into him. “Please,” he said, sticking his lip out and batting his eyes. He knew it would work, it did every time.

Melissa looked at him, resting her forehead on his chest. “I can't. I told Travis I would go out to eat with him.” She hated telling Joey no, but knew she'd promised Travis she would go with him.

“Bring him along,” Joey looked to see the other guys not paying attention and let his lips graze her forehead. He did it once more, reaching up to caress her cheek, letting his mouth stay against her hairline, breathing in her shampoo and whatever hair product she had on for a moment.

Melissa pulled away after a moment, giving Joey a smile. “You're just trying to get me in trouble.”

Joey laughed and tweeked her nose gently. “Trouble is my middle name,” he let her go reluctantly. “Go eat with your boyfriend. I'll pick you up tomorrow around ten.” The possessive monster Joey kept under wraps was wanting out. He watched her tell the other guys and Rachel goodbye, grab her purse and go out the door. He wanted it to be him that she was meeting, that was going to drive her home. His train of thought stopped when he heard his name, grabbing his bag and heading out with the others.

“You glad to be home, man?” Justin asked Joey, grinning as the warm night air hit them, all heading for Lance and Chris' cars that they'd driven respectively. JC and Rachel were going with Lance and their voices carried over the almost empty parking lot.

“Always. You gonna stay here or head to Memphis?” he asked, getting into Chris' car as the two drivers talked about where they were going, with Mo and Allan following in another car for security.

Justin hopped in the front seat, turning around to talk to Joey. “Heading to Memphis after the weekend. Trace is itching for us to just go hang out and shit,” he said, referring to his friend since childhood. “Brit's gonna come up too, do some shopping with Mom and whatever. What are you gonna do, dawg?”

“Hang out in Orlando probably. Go see my brother and sister and stuff.”

“Don't lie, Fatone,” Chris said, getting into the car after they decided to go to a local Denny's to eat. “You're going to be over at Lance's sitting on his couch with his sister, laughing your ass off at stupid crap that no one understands but the two of you.”

A smile played at Joey's lips as he shrugged, playing with his phone. “So what are you gonna do about it?”

“You shouldn't be so selfish,” Chris told him as he got into the turn lane, “it's like you wanna keep her all to yourself. It's like you're in love with her.”

Joey didn't answer, just kept the thoughts to himself as Chris and Justin broke into some random song. He didn't know how he was going to pull it off, but he was determined to tell Melissa how he felt about her at a time when he could do it and not make either one of them feel guilty. That meant he'd have to break up with Kristen, which was slowly becoming more clear. His heart was slowly telling his mind that he wasn't in the right place. He chuckled when he realized they were singing Cher. “You need help.”

“Says the pot to the kettle, man,” Justin told him, still singing.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“You've been quiet back there, JC,” Lance said as they got into the turn lane to go down the street Denny's was.

JC shrugged. “Just relaxing. I'm not one to tell ya what to do, but what if Rachel falls for you Lance? I mean, yeah, so you're gay. Doesn't mean Rach doesn't have feelings in it.”

Rachel turned to look at JC, giving him a small smile. JC was always looking out for the group, and how everyone was doing and how it would affect NSYNC as a whole. He was the perfectionist that drove them all crazy. “I know Lance is gay. I know that his feelings are completely platonic and I'm fine with that. I agreed to do this because I'm not looking for a man who's interested in me like a real boyfriend. We're fine with it, JC.”

“Long as you're happy,” JC told her, getting out when Lance parked.

Rachel gave Lance a smile, “Shall we?” she asked, watching him nod. It wasn't anything they hadn't done before, walking with his arm over her shoulder, but she did note that he held her just a bit closer and tighter, his hand on the small of her back as Lance let her go ahead of him in the door after security had went in first. “Such a gentleman.”

Lance chuckled at Rachel and laced his fingers through hers. “I try. Don't tell my sister that, she'll disagree.”

“Look who she hangs out with,” Rachel said, casting an eye over at Joey who was busy with his phone. “Put that thing down. It gives you brain tumors.”

Joey stuck his tongue out at Rachel and went back to his phone, putting it up after sending a text message, grinning. “There, I'm done. No one should be texting...” his phone went off, the words 'Bye Bye Bye' playing. “Damn it.”

“Give me the phone. I'm not sitting next to you while you play on your phone. Mel can live five seconds without telling you something. If she wanted to talk to you, she should have come with us,” Rachel held her hand out and to get Joey's phone, putting it on silent and handing it back to him with a smile as Joey gave her a sad look, like he got told to put his comic books away. “You'll be alright.”

They were all seated, talking amongst themselves about the tour, about their plans for the next few months during recording when they had free time. Rachel and Lance found themselves in a conversation about weekend trips.

“Grandpa wants me to go up to New York City for a couple days as my birthday present. Stay in a really nice hotel. You could come too, if you wanted. Might be fun, and it would get a little more oomph to the whole relationship part.”

Lance nodded slowly, taking a drink of his Coke. “It sounds fun. Just as long as my sister knows you aren't dumping her for me.”

“I'm not, trust me. We're going to Vegas when I get back from New York. I planned it around her spring break,” Rachel explained, reaching over for his hand. It felt comfortable and knew the more she did it now, that the habit would be in place once it was time for them to be a couple in front of media and fans. “We can stay in Manhattan and run around. Or just hang out.”

“I'll make sure to keep the weekend free then. Don't go thinking you're the only one that can plan dates, woman,” Lance told her with a grin.

“You'll just have to let me check my social calendar, since it's brimming with so many things,” Rachel told him sarcastically, rolling her eyes. “Just let me know when you're free and most of the time I can do something. Unless your sister's planned something.”

Their food came and they all ate, the table growing semi-quiet as they concentrated on their food.

*^**^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

“Sorry about earlier,” Travis said, stealing one of Melissa's fries as they sat at McDonald's. “It just pissed me off when I thought about you not caring that I was only gonna be here until the end of the week. I might not get my job back with NSYNC, ya know?”

Melissa nodded, dipping her nugget into honey and munched on it. When Travis said out to eat she'd been thinking somewhere else, but he'd pulled into McDonald's. “And I told you, it's not a date with Joey. It's getting my hair done..something I get done every few months or so. We'll go out to Disney or Universal before you leave . I still have classes and stuff this week, Trav. I care about us...I mean, I'm missing my Thanksgiving with my family to fly up to Minneapolis.”

“You could have invited me down here,” Travis said, taking a big bite of Big Mac.

“I said something about it and you insisted I come up there,” she told him, eating the last of her fries before they got stolen. “We'll discuss it when it's closer to time. Just make sure your Mom knows I can't cook.”

Travis smirked, shaking his head. “I'll let her know not to let you near the kitchen. It'll be fun, babe. I promise...You gonna drop me off at the hotel after this? You could come up..”

Melissa thought about telling him no, but then she'd have to listen to him gripe. She had an early class tomorrow before she would be home for Joey to get her. It was hard to sort out her feelings, wondering if it was due to all of the emotions and everything with the tour ending, her lack of sleep and everything else. She loved Travis, and was going to miss him once he was gone. “Yeah, I can come up for a few minutes.”

“Good,” he said, their conversation turning to other things, his mind wrapping around the fact that he was there instead of Joey. And he'd gotten her to agree to come to his parents home for a major holiday. “You ready?” Travis asked, grabbing the tray with their trash on it after she nodded. His arm slipped around her and pulled her close for a kiss before he unlocked her door. “Wish you weren't school. Sorta makes it hard to just take a trip whenever.”

“It'll make it more special then,” Melissa told him, kissing him back. At least, that's what she was hoping as she got into her car. She ignored her phone buzzing with a text message, telling herself she'd get to it later.

*^*^*^*^*^*^^*^*^*^

“What are you doing tomorrow?” Lance asked Rachel after they'd dropped JC off. He lived in the same neighborhood as him, and they both waved once more as JC opened the front door of his house, laughing at his yell of satisfaction at being home.

“Nothing, probably. Other than looking over some of the books for Grandpa. See if I can earn some of that money he keeps insisting I have for my accounting degree,” the told Lance with a smile. Rachel worked, mostly from home and on her own hours, but she couldn't turn down her grandfather when he asked, knowing how picky he was. “Why?”

“I was just wondering if you wanted to come over and have dinner. I'm cooking,” Lance offered, hating to cook for just him since he figured Melissa would be camped out at Joey's.

“A man that can cook. My hero,” Rachel told him, nodding yes. “Do you have mad kitchen skills?”

“I'm as good as Joey..which reminds me, if he didn't clean up his mess, I'm kicking his ass. What do you like to eat? I mean, I know pretty much, but anything you want special?”

“Chicken Parmesan with spaghetti and some garlic bread,” Rachel told him as Lance made his way over to her place. She still lived with her parents out of convenience, but had a whole bottom to herself with it's own door like an apartment.

“We can eat and watch a movie or something. Go for a swim in the pool,” Lance said, looking forward to it. “I think I'm going to sleep most of the day. Having nothing to do sounds really great.”

“I bet it will be. Not having to be up at a certain time or answer questions for an interview,” Rachel leaned over and kissed Lance's cheek softly. “I told you it would go fine,” she smiled, “you were so worried. And for the record, the show kicked ass tonight.”

“It did,” Lance replied, grabbing her hand and letting his lips graze it. “See you tomorrow night, Rachel.”

“Sleep well,”she replied, walking over to her door and the flood light came on, allowing her to punch in the code to her security alarm and unlock the door. She waved to him when she was safely in, a smile crossing her face when he waved back. Rachel shut the door and leaned back against it, wondering what she would do without her friends, or the better question, what wouldn't she do for them?

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

1:52 am found Joey awake and staring at his phone. He rolled over in his bed, growling at the last message he'd received. It was from seven minutes ago. 'Just got home' was the text and he'd been awake to get it. He hit send on his phone and listened to the phone ring and a soft hello. “Are you okay?” were the first words out of Joey's mouth, no greeting.

“I'm fine, Joey. Are you okay? You aren't asleep yet,” Melissa sat on her bed and then flopped back on it, trying to snuggle with her pillow. She'd actually gotten home before she sent the text, taking a shower and cleaning up.

“Someone didn't answer me after about the third time. I'm allowed to worry...” his voice trailed off, trying to tramp down the jealousy.

“I'm fine, I'm home..snuggled up with my pillow.”

“Lucky damn pillow,” he teased, trying to relax. “Did you get your homework done tonight?” Joey heard her chuckle, knowing the answer was a no. “Get it done. You're doing good.”

“I'm not failing only because of you...” she yawned, sighing. “Sing me to sleep, Fatone. You haven't done that in a while.”

“Any certain request?” he asked, sitting up a bit more so he could breathe correctly while singing.

“I don't care, just sing.”

A song popped into Joey's head and he smiled, humming the intro music before singing.“She'll only come out at night, lean and hungry tight, nothing to do, I've seen her here before. She's sitting with you but her eyes are on the door...” He sang the rest of the verse and chorus, stopping when he heard her laughing. “What? You didn't like it?”

“Only you would think to sing me to sleep with 'Maneater'. See you in the morning.”

Joey closed his phone and plugged it in and sat in on the nightstand, laying back down with his arms propped behind his head, staring at the ceiling. He'd be lucky if he slept tonight, his mind full. The last time he looked at the clock it was almost four and sleep took him, a soft snore coming from him. “Mel,” he mumbled, rolling over a slight smile on his face, never waking up.
Chapter 11 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
Chapter 11..Enjoy and thanks for all the reads and reviews.
“You look great, Mel,” Joey eyed her and smiled as he clicked a picture with his phone. Her hair was in foil bleaching so it could be colored. At least his was all bleached, waiting for the color to be mixed. The smile became wider when she realized what he'd done, not able to get out of the chair. “What?” he asked innocently, pretending to fiddle with his phone.

“You better not be doing what I think you are,” Melissa told him. “Joey, I will break your phone.”

“I can get another,” he replied, not worried in the least.

“I'll post your phone number on the bulletin board on campus,” she threatened, her mouth dropping when he raised an eyebrow at her and smirked, showing her the picture he took.

“Let's see..Justin needs this,” he murmured loud enough for her to hear, trying hard not to smile at her sputtering. Joey lived to give her a hard time, and it was working.

“Joseph Anthony Fatone, Junior...Don't do it.” Melissa rarely used his full name, but she was pleading. She watched him look at her and laugh, getting mad when she realized he was teasing her the whole time. “Remind me of why I put up with you,” she muttered, relaxing back against the chair. “You are so not going to Mr. Chow's with me later.”

Joey chuckled, looking at the color they had for him. “Nice job, Mike. Check it out,” he told Melissa, watching her grin. He was going back to red on the tips instead of the blonde. It had grown out most of the way. “And as for Mr. Chow's, I drove us here, Melissa Nicole Bass so I guess you're stuck with me.” He stuck his tongue out at her, watching her try her best to ignore him.

“I don't know why you even bother to pretend. You two fight like an old married couple,” Mike told them both, applying red to Joey's hair, knowing that would get something going. He'd done Joey's hair for the past few years, having heard about Melissa, finally meeting her last year.

“He snores like a freight train!” Melissa said loudly, pointing a finger at Joey.

“You sing the theme song to Oklahoma every time we go through the friggin state! You did it for half an hour and got Chris to sing it with you! I thought I was going to have to duct tape your mouth shut,” he fired back.

Mike listened to them trade jabs and kept working, telling Joey he'd have to wait at least 30 minutes to let the color set and deepen unless he wanted pink hair. Then he went to check on Melissa's, grabbing the color that had been mixed. “This is called Purple People Eater,” he said, showing her the deep purple color, “it'll get deep but dry and be bright like Joey's red. You'll have to get some shampoo to keep the color from fading.”

It took them an hour and a half, but when they were done, Melissa kept looking at herself in the mirror. The underside of her hair was purple, along with a strip down her front part. The rest was her blonde color with a few light highlights. “What do you think?” she asked Joey, still not sure what to think since she'd never had anything like this done to her hair.

Joey gave her a thumbs up, letting Mike finish putting some molding wax in his hair. “It looks damn awesome, Mel. I'm gonna have Mike get a picture,” he got his phone out, not surprised at all when she brought out her camera. “You always have that thing.”

“I'm shocked you haven't broken it by now,” Melissa teased, turning it on and showing one of the girls that worked in the salon how to operate it. “A couple with Mike, since he is the genius that did this,” she told both of them, Mike squeezing in between them as they all smiled. Melissa laughed as Mike demanded the camera and for her and Joey to get close and smile.

Melissa mockingly made a surprise face and put a hand over her mouth while Joey pointed to her hair in an over dramatic gasp.

“Okay you two, now act like you like each other, and smile,” Mike told them, snapping the picture. It popped up on the screen. “Perfect.” Joey and Melissa were both smiling, with her looking up at him and Joey gazing at her. “Now flee before me. I have other clients that must be served. You know how it is...”

“Fix my hair and kick me out, Michael,” Joey told him, paying for the services and telling the girl at the front he'd be back in six weeks. They got back to his car and got in. “Mr. Chow's here we come,” he said, watching Melissa buckle up and fiddle with the radio. “You know you're the only one I let touch the radio.” It was true and he'd never thought about it before. He was fiercely protective of his radio and music stations, telling the passenger he was in charge since he was driving.

“I feel special then,” she said, finding one of her favorite stations and turning it up. “Thanks for taking me to get my hair done.”

“You know how we do,” Joey said, sliding his sunglasses on. They rode in a comfortable silence for a few minutes, letting the radio play. “You're coming over after this, right?”

“I need to run by the house and grab homework, but yeah. I don't work today. I work tomorrow through Wednesday, then off Thursday, back Friday, off next weekend.”

“But you'll still have classes?” Joey asked, maneuvering through traffic, watching her nod at his question. He harrumphed at the song that came on, listening to her hum. “You know this song?” Joey raised an eyebrow at the song playing on his radio.

“What? I'm allowed... What are you, the music police?” Melissa turned it up a little bit singing along. “You're just jealous because I know the song and you don't.” She didn't regularly listen to the Backstreet Boys, but she'd heard enough on the radio and did like some of their stuff. She liked all kinds of music and had a CD collection that spanned a few large cases.

Joey laughed and raised an eyebrow. “I don't know it?” He sang two verses and the chorus along with the radio. “Try again, Mel. Pick something harder,” he told her, watching her flip stations to play this game that she started. He sang a gauntlet of songs, from pop, to country, metal and rap. Joey quit when they pulled into the Chinese restaurant. “Anything else you don't think I know?”

So many things came to mind as Melissa sat there with him, trying to bit her tongue. “You're the most maddening person I know. And I love every minute of it.”

“I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it,” Joey retorted, getting out of his car and locking it, throwing his arm around her. “Sounds about like us.”

“Speak for yourself, Fatone. I'm perfectly fine,” Melissa replied as they went in. She was happy that Joey was home. She still had to deal with Travis, but she figured that could be worried about another time.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Rachel called Lance's phone, listening to it ring. She sighed when it went to voice mail. “Hey Lance, it's Rachel. I'm still stuck working. Let me know about dinner....” her phone beeped and saw he was trying to call her. “Let me guess, you lost your phone.”

Lance chuckled as he shouldered his phone. “No. Had breadcrumbs and flour all over my hands and had to wash them before I grabbed the phone. What are you up to?” He made sure that everything was turned off or covered before moving to the couch.

“Sitting here staring at my computer. I'm almost three-fourths of the way done looking at books for Grandpa. I may be late in getting to dinner,” Rachel told him, clicking on the next page in the spreadsheet.

“Do you have to stay there or can you bring it with you? I have internet here,” Lance told her, waving to Melissa and Joey when they came in.

“I can bring it if you don't mind me working,” Rachel said, hearing voices and Lance telling his sister to come to him. “What's wrong?”

Lance looked his sister over. “Joey's corrupted my sister. Her hair's half purple,” he hugged her and then let Melissa go as she went upstairs and Joey went towards the couch. “Bring your work with you and I'll finish cooking. Then when it's done you're already here,” he suggested, going and sitting in a chair, watching Joey mess with his phone.

“That sounds great,” Rachel said, shutting down her laptop. “I'll be over there in about thirty minutes or so. Are Mel and Joey staying?” she asked, not that she minded, but was curious to what her friend was going to do since Travis was still in town as far as she knew.

“No.” Lance watched his sister come back down with her backpack and duffle bag, “Looks like she and Fatone are headed to his house.” He waved and told them bye before shutting the door after they left. “What else did you want to do tonight? I'm good for whatever since I slept until two.”

Rachel went to her closet and slipped some flip flops on. “Eat, watch a movie, then go for a swim sounds good to me.” She gathered up her stuff and told Lance bye. A small smile came to her face. It was nice to be friends with a guy she knew wasn't going to hit on her, or want just the physical part of the relationship. Most men tended to see the looks first, money next, and her as a person last. She and Melissa had hit it off in high school almost from the start. There was no pressure to act a certain way or be someone she wasn't. Her friend was somewhat in the same boat, careful to pick her friends.

“Going somewhere honey?” Celeste Weatherly asked her daughter, knowing it was a silly question since she was carrying her purse and keys along with a bag, but curious.

“Just over to Lance's house for a little while. I will call Grandpa when I get done with what I'm doing,” she told her Mom. “They all get off tour and want to stay home. Oh, look at this.” Rachel had gotten a picture from Melissa a few minutes ago of her hair.

Celeste looked at the picture and shook her head. “Tell Melissa I said hello. And that her look is very...interesting. How is she doing?”

“Doing good, just work and school. And trying to pretend she's not having feelings for Joey,” Rachel knew she had to leave or she'd hit the start of rush hour traffic. “I'm going, Mom. Love you.” She headed out to hit the light. They lived in roughly the same area of Orlando but different neighborhoods.

“You didn't have to come help, it's not much to carry,” Rachel told Lance as he shouldered her laptop bag and her other bag she brought her swimsuit in. Usually she kept one in Melissa's dresser, but she'd taken it home for her trip.

“It's fine,” Lance replied, giving her a smile as he opened the door. “The sauce is simmering and the meatballs are in the oven, along with the garlic bread. The chicken parm is waiting to find a spot in the oven to melt the cheese on it.”

The smells that met Rachel's nose made her stomach growl. “You know, as a boyfriend, you're doing a kick ass job.” She smiled at him, letting her hand brush his.

“I try. We're still in the new phase where we can't live five seconds without calling each other, right?” Lance gave her a wink, squeezing her hand before putting Rachel's things down on the couch. “Make yourself at home. The password for the wifi is still the same. You want something to drink?” he asked, moving towards the fridge before she even nodded.

“Sure, thanks.” Rachel got her stuff out and took it over to the bar where she could watch Lance and talk while she finished. “In a glass, little ice,” she told him after he asked.

“Seems weird for you to be here without my sister here,” Lance said after a few moments, getting out the salad to toss it and mix in the vinaigrette dressing. “Not bad weird, just different.”

“It's quiet,” Rachel replied, pulling up the programs she needed to finish. “I know what you mean though. I'll just have to come over more often maybe.” She threw him a flirty smile.

“Oooo baby,” Lance said, lowering his voice some, making Rachel laugh.

Lance made their plates and refilled Rachel's drink as she saved what she'd been working on. “Let me send this over to my boss so he'll know I got it done,” she said, pulling up her email, smiling. “He's always asking me when I'm going to get a boyfriend. Guess I should tell him I have one now.”


The two of them ate and talked sitting on the couch, with Lance finding out Rachel hated the movie 'Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory' and she loved the store Melissa worked at. “So what you're saying is, you could spend a small fortune in Aero?”

“Without a doubt. I also like Nordstrom, but only certain things.”

Lance nodded. Most of his clothes were nice stuff, not because he bought it but most of the time; they got the clothes they had for the photo shoots if they liked them. He did have favorite places to shop. “I like Aero some, The Buckle...” he named off a few other places, shrugging. “You might have to take me shopping sometime. Don't guys always need a makeover or whatever it is?”

“You do alright, Bass. Have I told you the food is delicious?” she asked him, enjoying the fact she didn't have to cook and it wasn't going out to eat.

“A few times,” Lance smiled. “I cheated on dessert. Saw the ice cream cake and couldn't resist. You want some now or later?” he asked, grabbing his plate and reaching for hers.

“There's always room for ice cream,” Rachel told him, getting up when a beep sounded to tell that someone was in the driveway. “You want me to get that?” she called out when someone knocked on the door, getting up to answer it when Lance said yes. She could see through the tempered glass that it was Travis standing there. Rachel opened the door some. “Can I help you?” she asked, not opening it wide enough for him to come in.

Travis raised an eyebrow at Rachel, giving her a smirk. “I think you could, but you'd have to not tell Melissa. Speaking of, is she here?” He stuffed his hands in his pockets, expecting to be let in.

“No, she's out at the moment, but I'll tell her you came by,” Rachel said, ignoring the look he was giving her, rolling her eyes at him huffing. “Please,” she rolled her eyes at him. “You knew she was going to be busy today.”

“What are you doing here?” Travis asked her, waiting to see what she was going to say. He wasn't quite ready to leave, wanting answers since his girlfriend wasn't answering her phone.

Rachel didn't hear Lance come up behind her until his hand was on her shoulder.

“She's here because I invited her,” Lance replied, coming to stand in front of Rachel. “As my girlfriend and my sister's best friend, I don't think it really needs an explanation. Do you, Travis?” Lance folded his arms over his chest, leaning back on the door frame.

“Seems like everyone knows more than me at the moment,” Travis said, looking between them both. “I can find something to do while she's out with Fatone. You guys are all the same, so he'll break her heart right? Just like you will Rachel's. Sorry babe, thought you knew better than to date a celebrity.”

Before Lance could speak, Rachel stepped in front of Lance, jabbing her finger in Travis' chest. “I'm not your babe. You're just jealous because your girlfriend would rather spend time with someone she has something in common with than you leching off her,” she turned to Lance. “He's been looking me up and down since I went to pick him up at the airport like I was his next piece of ass.”

Travis sputtered, giving them both a look. “She's a lying bit...” Blood gushed from his nose as he staggered back.

Lance's eyes blazed, his body taunt and ready for a fight as he stepped towards Travis. “Get the fuck out of my driveway and off my property. As far as I'm concerned, stay away from anyone related to me, from her, and from NSYNC. If you can't understand what I'm saying, then I can bring my lawyer in to spell it out in paperwork form.”

Travis stood there, blood dripping from his hands onto the concrete where his nose was still bleeding. “Mel's still my girlfriend,” he told them, shooting them looks.

“Not likely,” Lance told him, standing there until Travis had left, pulling out his phone to tell security at the gate to not let him back in. He hung up the phone and looked at Rachel. “I'm sorry, Rach,” he pulled her to him in a hug.

“I think you broke his nose,” she said, a laugh coming out after a moment. “That was epic. I wish I had gotten a video of it.” It bothered her a bit to be talked to like Travis had done, but more so that her best friend was dating him. “Thank you for sticking up for me.” Rachel paused, not sure what she was doing, leaning up and pressing her lips against Lance's.

Lance was surprised but returned the kiss, holding Rachel in his arms. Her lips felt nice against his, warm and soft. He kicked himself mentally for not being attracted to her romantically, although his body was on board with it. He broke off the kiss and smiled at her. “No problem. I hate men like that...” he sighed, his arm still around her as they went back into the house.

“I'm gonna call Mel and tell her what a piece of shit her boyfriend is,” Rachel told him, then closed her phone. “Actually, you know what? She's probably having the most fun she's had in two months. I'll tell her tomorrow.” She did fire off a text message to Melissa, telling her Travis showed up and closed her phone. “Where were we?” she asked, giving him a grin.

“Dessert and a movie,” Lance told her, ignoring the throb in his hand. They settled on 'Slingblade' and sat back on the couch. Later, Lance intwined his fingers with Rachel's, glad to be home. His phone buzzed and he looked at the message, smiling. 'Dinner at the Fatone house' it said. He was glad Rachel decided to wait, but his frown stayed a little, hoping Travis would stay away.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“So it is true, our little brother finally took you to the dark side,” Steven, Joey's older brother said when he opened the door to their parents home. “Looks nice, Mel. I see you still brought this guy with you,” he said jokingly, hugging her and then Joey before they all went in.

“Nice to see you two,” Joe Sr, said pausing a moment. “Phyllis, you've got to come see this. We've got kids who played in koolaid.” He got up to hug Joey and Melissa. “You lost a bet or what?”

“It was bribery to get them to sing my song,” Melissa told him, hugging Phyllis as she made a fuss over her hair.

“Don't forget you still owe us dinner,” Joey said, pinching one of her cheeks as he walked by, getting thwacked on the back. “We agreed to purple hair and dinner.”

“Where's Janine?” Joey asked, not seeing his older sister.

Steven was about to answer when the doorbell rang. “That's probably her and David,” he said, speaking of their brother in law, opening the door and seeing it was them.

“Hi guys,” Janine said, hugging her brother and Joey. “Nice hair,” she told him, going in the house in front of her husband.

“You like this, you should see Melissa's. It's called Purple People Eater. It's whack,” he said, shaking hands with his brother in law as the men made their way to the living room.

Janine shook her head at her brother and made her way into the kitchen, stopping at the entry way, staring at Melissa's hair, since Melissa was standing the fridge with her back turned. “Your hair is purple!” she exclaimed, figuring Joey was just kidding.

Melissa grabbed the zucchinis and tomatoes and set them on the counter and shut the fridge and then went and hugged Janine. “I was shanghaied. It's your brother's fault,” she said loud enough for Joey to hear.

“Not me,” Joey half yelled from his seat in the living room.

Melissa rolled her eyes at him and stood in the kitchen. “What can I do to help, Phyllis?” she asked, getting told to sit down and relax. “You burn one pan of eggs and your name is mud,” she said with a sigh.

“Did you spray the pan?” Janine asked, grabbing a knife and slicing the vegetables, getting a nod from the younger girl. “It's the pan's fault. We can say that right? How are classes?”

“They are alright. All but Algebra, but I am holding a B in there right now,” she told her, sighing.

“You have a B because you're smart, not because I helped,” Joey said, coming to stand behind her, resting his arms on her shoulders, smiling when he laced his fingers through hers, letting more of his upper body weight fall on her.

“Stand up, you dork. You're heavy,” Melissa told him, laughing when he leaned over more. “You should be a comedian instead of a singer,” she stuck her tongue out at him when he stood up, making a funny face at her. “ I only keep you around cause you sing good, ya know.”

“And I can cook. I have a killer sense of humor and I'm fu..darn good looking,” he amended, giving her a grin, letting her go, leaning in and whispering. “Why I keep you around, I'm not sure yet.”

Melissa narrowed her eyes at him, fighting to contain a smile and not laugh. “Don't tell lies with your Mom standing right there. It's not nice.”

Joey looked at his mom and sister, watching them watch him and Melissa. “Okay fine. I'll admit it. I keep you around because,” he smirked, a song coming to his head. “You are the sun you are the rain, that makes my life this foolish game, You need to know I love you so...” he sang Lionel Richie to her, making them all laugh as he finished the chorus. Joey knew she wouldn't ever take him seriously doing that. It was one way for him to tell her how he felt without admitting it outright.

Melissa hugged Joey, shaking her head at him. “Help me set the table, songbird,” she told him, dragging him further into the kitchen to get silverware and plates. “I'm glad your mom called and invited us to dinner.”

“Technically she invited me, but since you were with me...” his voice trailed off and he laughed at her dirty look. “Okay okay, she insisted you come too. I love ya, Melly.”

“Love you too, Fatoney. Most of the time.”

Dinner was loud and boisterous even though there was only seven people there. They all laughed and ate and talked, telling jokes and stories, eventually getting up to put the dishes in the sink or dishwasher and make their way to the back porch to sit.

Joey looked over at his Dad, smiling at him as the older man grabbed his Mom's hand before reaching up and kissing the back of it. His eyes wandered to Steven and David who were talking and then to Janine, who was talking with Melissa. Janine and David were holding hands. He inwardly sighed, wondering when it would be his turn, and if hanging on to Kristen was just his own tactic of keeping his feelings hidden. What if Melissa didn't love him back? They'd never talked about those feelings, happy to be best friends and to be with one another in that capacity. Joey smiled at her, lost in his own thoughts as the conversations went on around him, happy where he was at the moment. With the people he loved.
*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

“The water feels great,” Rachel told Lance, getting in and going under before resurfacing. “It feels like warm bathwater.” They'd watched Slingblade and then decided to take a swim in the pool. The pool, typical for Florida, was covered. The landscaping made it mostly private and there was recessed lighting in the roof over the patio, along with lights that were along the ground that lit up when it got dark. There was still the noise of the neighborhood: dogs barking, kids playing, and the occasional smell of a grill. “I bet you miss being home,” she said after a few minutes when Lance jumped in the deep end of the pool and swam over to her.

“Yeah, but by the time we have to tour again, I'll be okay with it. There's always that certain energy that comes with a new album and everything,” Lance told Rachel as they lounged in the water. “You've come for a night or two, but you've never toured with us for a couple weeks,” he smiled at her. “Probably see and know more about us all than you ever wanted to.”

Rachel laughed, splashing him. “It's all part of it right? I've been around you and the guys enough to know I'll be okay. What's the next thing coming up? Besides recording, I mean...”

Lance leaned back, looking up at the sky as it turned dark and stars came out. “The American Music Awards. We're singing a medley to honor the Gibb brothers, the Bee Gees,” he clarified. “It's in September in Los Angeles. Will you be my date?” he asked, giving her a smile. “You get to go buy a really nice dress and shoes and jewelry.”

Rachel grinned big, throwing her arms around Lance in a hug. “You had me at date,” she told him, laughing. “It sounds like a fantastic trip.” They talked a little while longer, finally getting out of the pool when the air started getting cool.

Lance handed Rachel a towel, drying himself off. “What now?” He was up for whatever. “We could always go to Sonic. It's always fun to hear people argue whether it's really me or not. Joey always tells them his name is Tony when he and Mel go.”

“Yeah,” Rachel said with a laugh, drying off. “Tony and Nikki is what she told me. And why is it fun to do that? More fun to just say yes and see if you can score some free food.” Rachel was trying not to laugh at the suggestion. She blew out a breath and looked at Lance. “I know she's your sister, but do you think she'll ever tell Joey how she feels about him? Or do you think he'll have to be the one to do it?”

“Joey will have to do it. Mel's not gonna break him and Kristen up. She'll wait and just be happy like they are,” Lance told her, both of them going in. “So..Sonic and driving around?”

“Sounds great to me, long as you take out your car,” Rachel asked, knowing his Porsche sat in the garage most of the time. Melissa had her Mustang that sat next to it that was currently there. She stuck her lip out and batted her eyes. “Please.”

Lance chuckled, “We'll take the Porsche,” he pulled her close for a hug. “I think you're quickly becoming spoiled.”

“Then it's just as it should be,” Rachel said, hugging him back before she went to Melissa's room to change. As she changed clothes, she smiled at the pictures in the room. Rachel hoped her friend was having fun.

*^*^*^*^*^^*^*

“You get this problem done we can watch a movie,” Joey said, laying across the couch with is head on a pillow that was resting against Melissa's leg. He sighed as she played with his hair with her free hand. He was helping her with her Algebra, which had taken longer because she was stalling since they'd been at his house after coming home from his parents. “You can't fail now that I'm home. I'll take away your Joey time,” he told her with a small smile, groaning when she pulled his hair.

“Take away my Joey time and I'll get rid of the hair sex,” Melissa wrote down what she thought was the right answer and handed it to him, putting her pencil down so she could rub both sides of his head.

Joey grunted and looked at her problem and then up at her. “You're smarter than you think, Bass. You got it right. Now it's movie time...” he grabbed the remotes and started turning stuff on, getting up to flip on the low lights while Melissa went and got some chips and dip with drinks. The DVD came on and he smiled, knowing she'd be surprised. He'd remembered her saying this was one of her favorite movies.

“Junk food, check. Drinks, check. Spending time with your best friend, priceless,” Melissa said, mimicking the Mastercard commercial.

“For everything else, there's Mastercard,” Joey finished, giving her a smile as they sat down beside one another. His phone beeped and he looked at it, seeing a text message from Kristen. He answered it and shut his phone, starting the movie.

“What are we watching?” Melissa asked, opening her Dr Pepper. Her eyes widened and she grinned when she heard the theme to Grease come on. “Yes! You have to sing with me,” Melissa told Joey, hugging him as they both sang the theme song.

It didn't take long for Joey to want to get comfortable on the couch. He grabbed the pillow he'd had, tossing it to the end and laying down, pulling Melissa down with him. She was snuggled up to him, her back to his front. He slipped his arms around her and they laid there, Joey's head next to hers, smelling the hair products in her hair. He smiled slightly at the purple streak that was right in front of his face. “I missed you, Mel,” he said softly as Danny started singing about being stranded at the drive-in.

Melissa turned to where she could look at Joey, trying not to mind that she was now sandwiched between his body and the couch. “I missed you too,” she raised an eyebrow at him, smiling. “We already went over this last night, didn't we?” She let her arms slip around his neck and hugged him. “Being at home by myself sucked, though, just so you know. Rachel was there, but she'd think it was weird if I wanted to snuggle with her.”

“Oooo a girl fest,” Joey teased, getting smacked on the shoulder, goosing her ribs. “You're always smacking me,” he said, tickling her, making her squirm and squeal as she tried to get away. “It's like you live for smacking me.”

Melissa accidentally kneed Joey, hearing him groan. “Oh damn, Joey. I'm sorry...”

He held up his hands in surrender. “It's okay, my fault,” he said, wincing as he rolled back over like they had been. “You keep injuring me and I won't be able to have kids.”

“Might be a good thing,” she teased, patting his cheek, letting her fingers graze over his now growing in goatee. “I mean, another you running around in miniature might be a scary thing.”

“Hey, I was a good kid,” Joey said, both of them getting quiet, watching Rizzo sing. It wasn't hard for Joey to think of how comfortable they were like this, how it might be to lean down and kiss Melissa, but he stopped himself. The thing that kept repeating in his head was that he and Melissa were both seeing other people. When she mentioned a mini him, his mind wandered and he had to clamp his brain down on that thought too. Her pregnant with his baby. That thought alone sent him reeling mentally, wondering if he was going to go crazy. Not that he didn't think about a future with Kristen, but those things just didn't randomly pop into his brain.

Melissa laid there, listening to Joey breathe, enjoying the feel of being in the familiar place with him. She smiled when she heard him humming along with the song near the end. She giggled when he exclaimed “Sandy!”, turning her head to bat her eyes at him. “Tell me about it. Stud.”

Joey laughed, shaking his head at the two of them. The movie ended and he let go of Melissa so she could go change clothes and put her stuff up from school. She came back, wearing a pair of capri cotton pants and a jersey that said BASS on the back. It was one they'd gotten from some game they'd sang the National Anthem at and she'd stolen it from Lance. He looked her up and down, the black capri's and light blue of the jersey. “You match. For once.” Grabbing the other two movies he'd gotten, putting in the original Batman starring Michael Keaton.

“Shut up. You only match because people make you,” Melissa told him, sticking her tongue out. “Be sure to set your alarm for six thirty..it's loud enough to wake the dead,” she called to him after he told her he was going to change. Melissa grabbed the empty cans and threw them in the recycle bin and then got more, rummaging through the fridge. She then went to the pantry and found some M&Ms, grabbing them. “Sexy,” Melissa told him, seeing Joey sitting on the couch in a pair of basketball shorts with no shirt on. She heard the air kick on and knew before they went to bed that it would be about ten degrees cooler in the whole house. Joey kept it like a freezer.

“Whatever,” Joey said, playing off her comment with a smile. It wasn't like he was showing off, he didn't wear a shirt usually when he was at home to sleep, having done so the whole tour. He grabbed some of the candy and the offered drink. Halfway through the movie, they were back to how they'd been before. Melissa had been quiet for about ten minutes and Joey saw that she was asleep. He pulled the blanket over her and tucked it in around her body before turning his attention back to the movie. Joey figured this was a good night, ignoring the buzzing from his phone. He wasn't moving unless it was absolutely necessary.

*^**^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

“Best vacation ever?” Rachel questioned Lance as they sat in the parking lot of Sonic, waiting for their food and drinks.

“I'd have to say Bahamas a couple years ago. A week of nothing but family and friends and fun. You were gone with your family or you could have gone. I'd love to go back, the water is so clear. What's yours?”

Rachel thought for a moment. “I wouldn't say the company was the greatest, but Greg,” she said his name like a poison had went through her body, “took me to Colorado for a long weekend. The Rockies were beautiful. Got to see some snow when it was seventy out down off the mountains. It's beautiful there.” She spotted the girl coming to bring their order and smiled. The girl got closer and stopped a moment and looked hard at Lance before swallowing hard.

“Hi,” the girl said, reading back his order and then telling him the total. It was less than ten bucks, but Lance handed her a twenty and told her to keep the change. “I hate to ask,” she said after a moment, “but you look a lot like Lance from NSYNC.”

“I do?” Lance asked her, smiling. He figured she was 16, working to pay on her car or clothes, a normal looking girl.

“Yeah,” she said, nodding, blushing.

“I get that a lot,” Lance said, smiling a little. “Since I am Lance from NSYNC.” He loved it when a fan was genuine and this girl seemed to be. She didn't scream or cry, but she did dig in her change apron for a pen and had the twenty he'd given her.

“Would you mind signing this? I know you want to eat and everything...” she said, waiting for an answer before she gave the items back to him.

Lance asked her what her name was and grinned when she said it was the same as his sister's name but spelled different. “That's my sister's name. She spells it with an 'e' after the 'm' though,” he said, writing on the money and handing it back to her.

“Thanks so much!” Malissa said, holding on to the money and looking at it. “Have a great night!” she said, giving them both a little wave, practically skipping back into the building.

“I love that,” Lance told Rachel, opening up his burger and taking a bite.

“I think it's hilarious,” Rachel said, popping a tater tot in her mouth, eating before she spoke again.. “I mean, I like it when people are normal, but the ones that act like you're their property... Makes me laugh. Like when people assume just because my last name is Weatherly that everything is just wonderful all the time. I'm a normal person. You're a normal person...”

Lance nodded, “There are days I'd give a lot not to have to worry about going out in public. But for the most part, it's alright. Like this..this is fun.” He winked at her and took a drink of his Cherry Limeade.

“There you go again, trying to score boyfriend brownie points.” Rachel momentarily wished Lance wasn't gay, but reminded herself she'd agreed to this and didn't want a real relationship with a guy. This was going perfect and she wasn't about to ruin it for either of them.
Chapter 12 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
Here is Chapter 12. It ended up being a longer one. Thanks for the reads and reviews. I love hearing what y'all think of the story.
Joey laid in bed, not ready to get up. He'd been awake for awhile but not willing to get out of bed and disturb the woman who was curled up in blankets , now laying with her body flush against his, her head resting in the space on the pillow between his neck and collar bone. How many times had they done this and it didn't seem odd, or weird. Or that Joey itched to pull her to him a little closer and wake her up with kisses to her mouth, along her jawline, trailing back to her ear and dropping down to her neck. Part of his brain told him that was wrong. He had a girlfriend. And Melissa had a boyfriend. The other part of his brain went along with his heart and said it didn't matter, that he was going to tell her sooner rather than later how he felt. A slight frown came to his face when Melissa whimpered in her sleep, her forehead creasing. “Mel,” he whispered, stroking her face gently. “It's a dream, bambina.”

“Joey...no..” Melissa said, shoving at him, as if to push him away. Her eyes never opened and she pushed against him and the blankets.

“Wake up, Melissa,” Joey said a bit louder, shaking her shoulders a little, relieved when she finally opened her eyes and looked at him, biting her lip after a moment. “It was a dream...that's all,” Joey reassured her. He studied her face and brushed her hair out of her eyes. “You okay?”

The dream had been scary. She couldn't remember what started it, just that she'd come to Joey's house and when she couldn't get him to come to the door, she unlocked it and found him shot, laying in the living room floor with blood everywhere. “I...” she teared up and looked away. “I dreamed you'd been shot..and I found you.” Melissa wrapped her arms around Joey's shoulders and snuggled into him more, wanting his warmth and protection. She could hear the thump thump of his heartbeat with her ear pressed to his chest, sighing in relief, trying to get the picture of him laying there out of her mind.

Joey ran his hands over her back, then pulled her chin up where he could look at her. “I'm here, Melly. No one's shot me,” he said softly, sucking in a breath when her lips pressed against his collarbone. It was almost his undoing when she inched up his body, pressing her lips against his neck, her fingers winding themselves in his hair. “What are you doing?” he asked, his own body responding to hers, praying she didn't roll over on him and discover the semi erection he was sporting.

Her green eyes met his brown ones and she thought for a moment. She didn't know. It just felt right. She wanted him, wanted to make sure he was breathing, that she could get rid of the image in her mind. This was her Joey, full of life. Melissa paused, kissing his jaw on his scruff growing in, letting her lips linger there before she tucked herself back like she'd been, the comfortable position they'd been in before. “I know I shouldn't..but..can I kiss you?” she asked, her voice unsure. “Just to know this is real.”

Joey turned his head to where it was even with hers. He should tell her no. This was his best friend. The panicked look on her face when she'd woken up was enough to send a shiver down his spine. “One kiss..to get you back into reality,” he said, knowing it couldn't go farther than that.

Melissa nodded slightly, brushing her lips against Joey's. It was a real kiss, and while she'd meant it to be a peck on the lips, her hands didn't cooperate, stroking Joey's face and one reached up to grab his hair. Her mouth pressed harder against his, letting out a soft moan, her eyes closing.

He was about to break it off when she changed it up and pressed her lips harder against his. Willing lips that he'd wanted to kiss again since the tour bus when he'd kissed Melissa properly. Joey's hands found themselves pulling her more into him, grunting at the tug on his hair, letting out air from his nose so that he didn't break off the kiss.

'Beep, beep, beep, beep.' The alarm clock scared them both, making them jump, breaking off the kiss. Joey reached over and slapped the snooze button, looking at the woman beside him at arms length, giving her a small smile. “Well?”

Melissa ignored the tingling in her lips as well as other places as she looked at Joey, figuring she could play off the kiss. “It was alright, Fatone. Next time we should use some tongue or something. You need some practice.” She shot him a grin before getting up.

Joey's jaw went slack and then he glared at her. “Listen, woman. I'll have you know I'm Italian. I can woo a woman and kiss her to make her putty in my hands. It's in my blood,” he told her, knowing they were back to their jokes, their safe place. He'd keep his real feelings from coming out until the time was right, which he prayed would be soon.

Going into the living room, he heard the bathroom door closed and he grabbed his phone, going through his texts and missed calls. One was from Justin with no voicemail, the other was Kristen as well the text messages. He sent off the general replies, listening to the voice mail. Joey felt guilty for kissing Melissa when he listened to his girlfriend tell him she missed him and she hoped to come see him soon and for him to call when he wasn't busy. Joey deleted it and sat there, not sure what to think. All he wanted was to be happy. And someone would have to be hurt in order for him to do that. With a sigh, Joey got up and went to the kitchen, digging out a cereal bowl and spoon, finding the Lucky Charms and pouring them. “Women,” he muttered, flipping the television over to one of the game networks, seeing The Price Is Right on.


Melissa stayed in the shower as long as she could, letting the hot water drown any bad memories of the dream and then the feelings of kissing Joey down the drain with the suds from the shampoo. She could be friends. Just friends. Travis was good to her, there was no reason to break up with him to persue Joey. Melissa kept telling herself that they were both just on edge from the tour ending and getting back into the swing of being around each other all the time. It was the lie she was going to stick with as she got out of the shower and wrapped the towel around her. “Just maintain,” she muttered, grabbing her face wash and turned on the sink. She could do this. She'd done it for a long time. The thought of Joey's lips pressed against hers dashed that thought, knowing she'd have to do a better job at not acting any different. “Besides,” she told herself, “it's not like he's told you he has feelings for you. It was a kiss. You've kissed the other guys.” It was on the cheek, but still. But none of them was Joey.

“Do you have your homework?” Joey asked, still watching the game network as Melissa gathered up her stuff, going through her book she'd put in her backpack. “Don't give me that go to hell look, Mel. I'll bend you over my knee,” he threatened, watching her flip him off. “You couldn't handle all this,” he said, flipping her back off when she rolled her eyes at him.

“Yes, I have my homework. The Force is with me, and I am going to school now and then work at three,” Melissa told Joey, shoving her book back in her bag. “You're probably going to sit here and do nothing all day.”

“As Bobby Brown would say, that's my perogative,” Joey replied, getting up and going over and hugging her. “Take my Rover,” he said, handing her the keys since her car was still at her house. “I can get it later.”

“Are you sure, it's your car you drive all the time..” she asked, getting an annoyed look that said quick worrying. “You're the best,” Melissa squished his face together and made kissy noises at him. “You'll see me later this week, I'm sure. I'll call you on my way to work.”

“Have a good day, baby!” Joey went to the door and yelled, chuckling when she groaned.

“You too, honey!” she called out before pulling out of the driveway, giving him a wave. Melissa slipped on her sunglasses and wondered if her and Joey would ever have a normal day. Part of her hoped not, loving how they were.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
Rachel woke up, sitting up and looking around Melissa's room. She'd went to bed way later then she should have, somewhere around 3 in the morning. The clock now said it was almost eleven and she knew she needed to get up and start the day. “Ugh,” she said, grabbing her brush and running it through her hair. She'd go change clothes later, in a tank top and pajama pants. She studied the pictures of her and Melissa and smiled. Their Senior class trip to New York City, where she and Mel had bought souveniers of those foam crowns from the Statue of Liberty. That picture and one of them sharing a footlong coney from a hotdog vendor were up.

Rachel wasn't being nosy, but she grabbed one of the drawing pads stacked up on the desk and flipped through it. A lot of it was from Art class but there was one she stopped at. The assignment paper was there with her grade. It had been to draw her best friend. Mel had split the paper in half and drawn both her and Joey. She'd gotten a low 'A' on the assignment only because she'd used two people instead of just one. Rachel flipped through the rest, shaking her head. She put that one down and was about to head downstairs when she saw 'Joey' written across the next one. “What the hell?” she said, getting it out. Her eyes widened as she flipped through. The date of the first was of the guys in the recording booth, all five faces visible. The rest were Joey. No pictures were paperclipped so they'd been drawn while looking at him.

Rachel took the notebook downstairs, sitting down next to Lance. “Have you seen this?” she asked him.

“No. What is it?” he asked, looking at the look on her face. “You look...emotional.” It was the only word he could think of. He wasn't sure whether she was going to cry or smile, an odd look on her face.

“It's drawings, all of Joey,” Rachel flipped to her favorite, one of Joey in the recording booth singing. Under it was 'I Thought She Knew'. “That's it,” she tapped the picture, a grin coming to her face, looking at the date. “That's when she fell in love with him.”

“How can you tell from a drawing?” Lance asked, studying the page. Joey could have jumped off the paper and been there, the detail was so clear. It was all done in pencil except for the red in Joey's hair. “Damn, she's good.”

“Just trust me. If you ask her, she'll say it was around that time.”
"You should be a detective," Lance told Rachel, chuckling.

Rachel paused as if in thought, "I would look pretty hot with a badge and gun, wouldn't I?"

The grin on Lance's face confirmed her question. He shook his head as if to say, 'you're something else' before speaking, "I was gonna come ask if you want to grab lunch somewhere. Might even call the guys."

“Awww, you miss them already,” Rachel teased him, nodding. “I'll go grab a quick shower and get ready and you can call them. She went and put the drawing pad up and sighed. She wanted her friend happy and decided she was going to tell Melissa how Travis had acted.

She grabbed her phone and pulled up her friend's number and hit send, smiling when she answered. “What's up woman?” Rachel grabbed some clothes and sat on Melissa's bed.

“I'm driving the Range Rover...If I had bazillions of dollars, I'd have one of these,” Melissa told Rachel, taking the long way to school instead of the interstate. “How are you? How was dinner?”

“Don't change the subject, you're driving Joey's Rover he won't let anyone even look at? Did you give him drugs?”

“No, he handed over the keys. He still has his Audi at home,” Melissa explained, loving the car. “So answer my questions,” she told Rachel, listening to her friend tell about her evening with Lance and then about Travis showing up. Melissa's brow furrowed as she thought about Travis, shocked he'd say something like that to Rachel, even more so that Lance punched him. “I'll call him and find out what was going on.”

“Do not go see him, Mel. I mean it...I know he's your boyfriend, but he's a lying piece of crap. Just call and tell him you want to break up with him,” Rachel told her, hoping the direct approach would be best.

“I'm not breaking up with him over the phone!” Melissa exclaimed, her voice getting louder. “I can at least do that in person if I'm going to do it. He deserves that much.”

“He doesn't deserve shit! Lance broke his nose,” Rachel argued. “He hit on me! Then turned around and called me a bitch. Please..don't be the nice person you are and call him and tell him you don't want to see him anymore.” Rachel could see the wheels in her friend's brain turning. “Tell me this, did you think of Travis at all last night while you were with Joey?” The silence made her smile. “That should tell you something. I love you, Mel. Call me later when you've gotten rid of Mister Dipshit.”

Melissa blew out a breath. “Fine. It's not like it matters. Joey's still with Kristen.” She pulled into the parking lot at school and shut off the vehicle. “I have to go to class, Rach,” Melissa heard a beep that someone was calling in. She looked and saw it was Travis. “Travis is calling, I'll talk to you later.”

Rachel heard her friend hang up and then went to get into the shower. Of the two of them, Rachel pulled no punches where Melissa was nice, not wanting to hurt anyone's feelings. She hoped her friend would stick to her guns.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“Hey, Trav,” Melissa said, trying to sound as normal as possible. “How are you?”

“I'm alright,” he said. “How are you? Did you have fun yesterday?”

“It was nice,” Melissa told him, grabbing her book bag and locking the doors to the Rover. “What are you doing today?”

“Not a lot. Might go out with some of the guys from the crew and hang out. Did you see I tried to call last night? And I texted.”

Melissa could tell he was annoyed, and she frowned. She wasn't going to apologize for spending time with Joey, especially since nothing happened. “I wasn't even paying attention to my phone,” she told him. “We went to dinner at Joey's parents...”

“All I'm hearing is Joey this and Joey that. Is he your boyfriend? You should want to spend time with me.”

Melissa took a deep breath, steeling her nerves. “You know what, Travis? At first this was nice and I thought you were a gentleman. But I need more than that. I want someone who's going to not be jealous, or hit on my friends or call them names. By the way, how's your nose?” she blanched at the names she was being called. “It's over, Travis. Stay away from me, my family, and the guys. Lose this number.” She hung up on him and stood there, leaning against the car, wiping tears. She opened up her phone and called her professor, letting him know she was having issues and that she'd turn in her work, but not be in class. It took her ten minutes to walk to the office, turn her work in and get the next classes work and back to Joey's car.

'Broke up w him' she texted to Rachel, sitting in the Range Rover, surprised at herself. She wasn't sure what to do, being single. Part of her was sad, and another part was glad. Melissa no longer felt guilty for not having the feelings for Travis she thought she should have. And now that she sat and thought about it, Travis hadn't acted like someone that loved her. Her phone rang and she smiled, putting it on speaker. “Hi, Lance.

“I'm proud of you,” Lance told his sister, standing in his room pulling a shirt over his head. “I'm calling management in a bit and having Travis banned from reapplying for a job with NSYNC. We don't put up with that crap...Are you okay?” he heard her sniffle. “There are lots of other fish in the sea. Even ones with red hair named Joey,” he said, listening to her laugh.

“Shut up. He has a girlfriend and doesn't feel that way about me,” Melissa told her brother, wiping more tears.

“Have you ever asked him?” Lance asked, grabbing a belt. “What if he does? I mean, you're friends, you can ask him.”

“I'd rather not know than find out different, James Lance Bass. I don't think I could take it. I like my fantasy world just fine, the one where I pretend not to have feelings for him. I'm going to call and see if I can go in early to work since I'm not going to class,” Melissa changed the subject, letting him know that part of the conversation was over.

“Alright. I also heard you drove the Rover, that's a testament of love right there. I'd have made you take the Audi,” Lance grabbed his watch. “Look, I'm not saying you have to say anything. Just let things happen. I love you, sis.”

“I love you too. Go hang out with Rachel for me. I'll have to kick your ass if you get to see her more than I do,” Melissa told him, hanging up. She called work and was told to come in as soon as she could if she was willing to work. Another deep breath had her somewhat settled and she started the car, turning the radio on and opening the sunroof.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Lance and Rachel pulled into Joey's driveway and honked a couple times, waving when he came out the door to his house. “You're missing a car,” Rachel said, rolling the window down as Joey came to get into the backseat of Lance's vehicle.

Joey just shrugged as he got in, “It was the first set of keys I came to,” he told them, buckling up.

“You should know, Mel's probably got the music blaring and sunroof open. She was excited to be driving it,” Lance told him. He and Rachel had agreed to let Melissa tell Joey about the break up.

“So where we eating at?” Joey asked, hoping he looked decent. He'd grabbed a pair of Levi's and a Superman shirt and some flip flops. He wasn't going to dress up unless necessary.

“Hamburger Mary's,” Lance told him as they got on the interstate. “Think Justin was meeting us there. Gonna get something for Mel and take it to her at work.”

“She's supposed to in class til one thirty,” Joey said, raising an eyebrow, looking at his watch. It was almost 12:25. He opened his phone and sent Melissa a text. He frowned when he got a quick reply back, hitting her number on his phone. “Hi baby, you playing hooky today?” he ignored Rachel's 'shit' and watched the traffic go by, his voice pausing at the voice mail. “Call me when you get this.”

Joey stayed in his state of half pissed off, half unsettled all the way through lunch. He didn't show it outwardly, but he wasn't happy. Melissa hadn't texted or called while they were out. He picked up the bag that had her food in it and grabbed her drink from the cup holder between Rachel and Lance. “Stay here, I'll take this to her,” he said, looking at the back of the mall where employees parked. Joey fired off a text message, growling at the fact she texted him back and told him she'd be right out.

Melissa bit her lip, slipping her phone back down in her pocket. She'd told her supervisor she was going on break when her lunch was here. The sun hit her eyes as she opened the door in the back, seeing Joey sitting there on the picnic table, not looking happy. “Hi,” she told him, sitting down on the bench, waving to Lance and Rachel who were getting out of the car, yelling that they were going to go in the mall for a little bit.

“You phone must be fixed now,” Joey said, hopping off the top of the table and sitting down next to her, watching her get her burger and fries out. He took her pickles when she offered them to him and ate them, waiting on Melissa to talk.

“My phone wasn't broken. I got your voice mail, but I can't answer if I'm working. You know that,” Melissa told him, taking a bite of her burger. She swallowed and then looked over at him. “I went and turned in my homework and then came to work. Between now and then I broke up with Travis.” She tried not to get emotional about it, to keep her voice even but it didn't work, having to swallow hard to get rid of the lump in her throat.


"You what?" Joey exclaimed. He stared in shock at Melissa. He opened his mouth to question her, but the words froze when he saw a tear slip down her cheek. "Hey," he said softly. Using his fingers, he tipped her chin up to look at him. Another tear followed and he tangled his hand in her hair and pulled her to his chest. He held her tight against him, his other arm anchoring her to him. "Don't cry, Mel," he whispered to her. "Don't cry."

Melissa clung to her best friend as the tears rolled down her cheeks. Her arms encircled his waist and she held him tight. She buried her face into his chest, past the point of caring that she was soaking his shirt. The tears kept flowing. The emotions of the break up coming to the surface. She had tried so hard to bury them to get through the day, but it didn't work.

"Shhh," Joey tightened his hold. "It's okay, Mel. Don't cry," he continued whispering to her. Anything that came to mind, half the time he had no idea what he was saying. He just wanted her to stop crying. His own heart twisted in pain at her tears. And he realized that he never wanted to be the one to cause her this much pain.

"I'm sorry," Melissa hiccuped as the tears somewhat subsided. She made no move to pull away, instead continued to hold and be held.

"It's okay. I don't mind." Joey rested his head atop hers. "Are you okay?"

Melissa nodded and gave a shuddering sigh. "I will be," she pulled back to meet his eyes and attempted a smile. She could feel her lips wobble and Joey's face blurred in front of her.

"Come on Melly, don't start crying again." Joey cupped her face in both of his hands, using his thumbs to brush the tears away. "You keep this up and I'm gonna start crying here with you. And let me tell you, there is something wrong for a grown man wearing a Superman t-shirt to cry."

Melissa giggled, "There's something wrong with a grown man wearing a Superman t-shirt."

"Then I guess I shouldn't tell you that I'm wearing matching boxers?" He grinned when Melissa started laughing. 'Score one for me.' He could deal with this Melissa. He ducked down to meet her eyes, a sincere smile on his face. "You want to tell me what happened or do you just want some company while you eat? If you don't want to talk about it, I understand."

“No, it's okay,” she said, turning back to her food and grabbing a fry. “I...I thought he was a good person, you know. Then he came down for a day...” she told Joey about the picnic and then the restaurant, leaving out the sex. “Then he hit on Rachel and called her names in front of Lance.” Melissa gave him a rueful smile, “I think Lance broke his nose.”

“Wow,” Joey said, looking over at her. He hated the tear tracks coming down her face, wishing that he could fix how she felt right then. The normal part of his mind told him to just wait, that it wasn't the right time. “So he's not coming back right? I mean, do you need me to stay here in case he comes to mess with you?” Joey would gladly camp out in the mall if he had to, endure screaming girls or whatever came along.

“I'm alright, Fatone, but thanks. He just..I didn't want someone who couldn't handle me having friends that were guys without being jealous. And I needed Rachel to tell me not to be such a nice person.” She made a face at him before taking a bite of her burger.

“Rachel's delusional. You're not nice to me,” Joey teased, getting another smile from her. “I am sorry, Mel. You deserve better than that,” he said. He wondered if the time came, could he give her up to another man. To step back and let her really love someone else. She missed the pained look on his face, with Joey's heart and stomach twisting up.

“Thanks, Joey. I just didn't want to talk to you right then...I was going to tell you,” Melissa finished up her burger and offered him the rest of her fries. “Maybe someday I'll find someone that can deal with all this greatness.” Melissa stood up and made a pose at him, laughing at herself. She looked at her phone and sighed. “I better get back to work. We're getting in a few more fall things, I found a shirt you need.”

Joey pulled out his wallet and handed her his AmEx card. “Don't go crazy,” he told her, shoving it in her back pocket when she refused. “Think of it as shopping therapy.” Joey got up and pulled her to him in a hug.

“It'll just be in my pocket. I don't need shopping to make me feel better.” Melissa tried to not smile, playing it off. She let her head rest on Joey's chest for another moment. “Thank you,” she said softly.

“Welcome. Anytime.” Joey let her go, watching her go back into the store after giving him a wave. He sat down on the picnic bench once again and sighed. “Where you at?” he asked Lance after dialing his friend.

“I am currently in The Buckle with my girlfriend as she looks at shirts. You coming in? How was lunch?” Lance nodded and gave Rachel a thumbs up at her as she went into the dressing room.

“You mean the first lunch where I was pissed off or the one where your sister used me as a human kleenex?” Joey asked, making his way towards the front of the mall. “I didn't mind of course, other than it made me realize I never want to piss you off. And I'd rather sell my soul to Satan than see her cry.”

“Just admit it, Fatone, you're a softy.”

Joey chuckled, making his way through the mall to the buckle. “Only with a very few people.”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

“You guys wanna come in for a little while?” Joey asked before Lance made it to his driveway. Joey wasn't sure he wanted to be alone right now with just his thoughts. Thoughts that seemed to be counter productive from one another.

“I don't care,” Rachel said, looking over at Lance. They'd spent an hour shopping and just wandering around the mall, enjoying the anonymity of being there in the slow part of the day.

“Sure, man. I didn't have any plans that I know of, unless Rachel made some for me,” Lance said with a smile, pulling into Joey's driveway. “It looks out of place for the Range Rover to be gone.”

“I don't see why you're making a big deal out of it,” Joey told him as they got out. “It's just a car.”

“How many people let a friend drive a seventy thousand dollar car?” Lance asked, giving him a look. “Would you let Kristen drive it?”

“Over my dead rotting corpse,” Joey told him, unlocking the door.

“Men and their machines,” Rachel muttered behind them, rolling her eyes.


Joey's house was as nice as Lance's; decorated differently that made it have a comfortable. There was a big screen and a plush oversize loveseat and couch across from the television. Dark stained wood was on the floors with it continuing in the trim around the top of the walls.

Joey threw his keys on the bar that connected the kitchen to the living room and went to the fridge. “Ya want anything?” he asked, telling them what he had to offer as far as beverages went. He took the drinks out of the fridge and sat down on the couch, with Lance in the middle and Rachel on the other end. “I vote we sit and do nothing and order pizza later,” Joey suggested, opening his Dr Pepper.

“Do you always think about food?” Rachel asked Joey as she unscrewed the cap on her bottled water. “Between you and Chris, I think you know every place to eat between here and Miami.” It always amazed her that for as long as she'd known Melissa and Lance, then the guys, that Joey and Chris always seemed to have a hollow leg when it came to food.

“No. I don't think about food all the time, I just enjoy eating. Nothing wrong with that...especially since I know how to cook. There are some people that can't,” Joey said, smiling as Lance coughed out Melissa's name.

“She made Ramen noodles once that stuck to the pan in high school in Home Ec. The teacher banned her from the cooking assignments and made her draw still lifes of the food to use as posters,” Rachel told him, smiling at the memory. “Of course we melted ex-lax and put it on a candy bar for the evil Biology teacher. Mel purposely opened it and was about to take a bite when the fatass just grabbed it and ate it. He thought if you had food, then you were sharing it with him. I was the one who made sure we had the best substitute ever. My mom came and filled in and brought one of her friends from the Air and Space Museum to talk about space and how the planets are all aligned and stuff. Best three days of school ever. Except the last week of our Senior year of course.”

The three of them sat and talked, going from school to other subjects. The tv was turned on and put on some day time show they weren't really paying attention to, other than for the noise.

Rachel's phone buzzed and she smiled and looked at Joey. “Someone obviously stepped out of character,” she showed him the picture of the passenger seat of Joey's Rover. Bags were in the seat and in the floor and she chuckled at his momentary pained look. “There's probably only one bag for her in that whole mess.”

“I hope to hell there's more than one, cause I don't want anything from Bath & Body Works or Victoria's Secret,” Joey said, then grabbed Rachel's phone and looked harder. He'd just been naming off stores when he spotted a pink bag with the 'VS' on it. “Damn it,” he muttered, wondering what she bought from a lingerie store. Even worse, with his money. The one thing Joey didn't want to think about was if he was ever going to see what was in that bag.

Rachel raised an eyebrow at Joey. “You're speaking some sort of dorkish I can't understand.”

“Why do you women have to shop at a lingerie store for therapy? Is it in a handbook?” Joey gave her phone back to her.

“She probably just bought lotion, you big sissy. They have that there..not just lacy bras and see through spanky panties and stuff,” Rachel informed Joey, closing her phone. She went and sat back down by Lance who was engrossed in a basketball replay after having grabbed the remote.

"Please," Lance groaned as he swiped the remote from the coffee table. "I do not want to think about my sister wearing spanky panties. I don't even know why y'all are having this conversation,” Lance told them both. “Just be happy she went shopping and is not balling her eyes out or back with that asshole,” a hint of a smile tugged at his lips. “Maybe she bought some stuff to get a new boyfriend with.” He was teasing Joey, laughing when the other man groaned and muttered in Italian, pinching the bridge of his nose as if he was getting a headache.

“I'm going to go order our usual,” Joey told them, moving to his bedroom to call the pizza place. He spotted Melissa's bag open over by his dresser and smiled, seeing one of his shirts halfway stuffed in there, the one she'd grabbed before she'd gotten a shower that morning since he kept it so cold. He hoped whatever she'd bought, part of it would be left here at his house. If it was left here, that meant she was coming back for it.

*^*^*^*^*^*^

“Thanks for the pizza and letting us come over,” Rachel told Joey, giving him a hug as she and Lance were going out the door to leave. “You should ask Mel what's in the Vickie's bag,” her smile was wide. Melissa had pulled up just as they had gotten up to leave.

“Shut up about the lingerie store. I don't want to see my best friend in that,” Joey said as he hugged Rachel back, watching Lance grab a few bags to help carry in. “Have fun?” he called out to Melissa, who told him yes, purposely bumping him as she went by.

Lance had grabbed the Vickie's bag and gave Joey a smirk. “Dude, it ain't lotion unless it got put into something that's soft. “My vote's on something see through,” he told Joey. “I'm teasing ya, man. She probably won't show you anyways. You know how she is about that stuff.”

Joey thought back to the bra incident when Melissa had brought him the toothpaste and nodded, grabbing the bags from Lance. “See ya prolly later this week,” he told them, feeling Melissa beside him as she waved bye to her brother and Rachel. He carried the bags into the living room and put them down with the others beside the couch. “Have fun?” Joey asked her, sitting down on the couch, watching Melissa go through bags, pulling out stuff.

“Yeah. Had more fun shopping for you,” she tossed a pair of jeans and a gray henley at him, along with a dark gray fedora. There was also a couple leather belts and a novelty t-shirt that had a 'Will sing for food'. Melissa had bought herself quite a few things, and everything she'd found had been on sale.

Joey put his clothes on the couch and gave her a look. “I want to see what you bought yourself,” he noticed she got out all the clothes from every bag but Victoria's Secret. “You not showing me that?” he asked, watching her bite her bottom lip and blush. “Rachel said it was probably lotion.”

“Rachel wasn't there with me, was she?” Melissa said, grabbing the clothes and stuffing them back into bags. She wasn't mad at Joey, just nervous about him asking about her buying underwear, something she'd never done before in that store, always thinking it was too expensive and that she didn't need that sort of thing. Until she walked in and saw the bra and panty set that matched her hair and her imagination went along with it. A cute silky slip gown in black and some lotion completed her purchase.

Joey's eyes widened at her voice changing to being defensive and he held his hands up. “You can just say no, Mel. I always thought you hated that store.”

“No,” Melissa said, picking up the pink bag and rifling through the tissue paper to pull out the lotion and showed it to him. “I love the store, just always thought it was too expensive. That I didn't need anything from there, so I never went in unless someone else wanted to go.”

Joey looked at the lotion bottle, opening the top to smell it. It smelled a little like cinnamon, not an overpowering scent and he handed it back to her. “That all?” he asked, leaning back on the couch and folding his arms over his chest.

“You don't want to see what else I got. It's girly stuff,” Melissa told him, setting the bag down on the other side of the couch.

Joey didn't say another word about the bag, the two of them watching television for a while. Melissa leaned on him and sighed, curling up more against Joey when he put his arm around her. “I guess I should go home tonight.” Melissa didn't want to go home, but she didn't think Kristen would like it if she found out Melissa had spent a few nights over at Joey's.

“Why are you running off?” Joey asked, looking down at the top of her head. “Got some hot date I don't know about?”

Melissa smiled at the way his voice changed with a hint of jealousy, shaking her head no. “I don't have to go home, I just thought maybe your girlfriend wouldn't like it if she found out I was staying with you.”

Joey didn't answer for a few minutes, playing with the ends of Melissa's hair. “Like you were with Travis, I don't exactly tell Kristen everything...” his voice trailed off and he looked at Melissa, his eyes studying her face, wondering why he couldn't just tell her how he felt. The nagging small voice inside him told him that she might not feel the same way.

“Do you tell me everything?” Melissa asked, sitting up to look at Joey. She knew what the answer would be, that she didn't even have to ask. He told her a lot, even though they both knew that there were still things they didn't know, things between him and Lance or his family or her and Rachel. There would always be those secrets, but with everything else.

“What do you think, Melly?” Joey pulled her to where she was half in his lap, his voice getting just a bit more gravelly.

“I think you tell me everything. At least everything that has to do with your life that you want me to know, that's important. Maybe not every secret, but everyone is like that. You're my best friend, so I feel pretty confident about knowing ya.” A small smile crossed her face, studying his jawline where he was letting his goatee grow in more. “You not shaving again?” she asked, using a finger to stroke his cheek.

“Shaving's fuckin' overrated,” Joey told her, letting her up when she asked. He blew out a breath when Melissa went into the kitchen to find a slice of pizza and grab them both drinks. Joey knew they couldn't keep going like this, or at least he couldn't. His resolve to keep his feelings hidden was quickly waning.

*^*^*^*^*^*

“All those girls who scream at the concerts would never believe you do this,” Melissa told Joey as they stood in the bathroom. She was brushing her teeth and he was flossing. Not just the flossing, but that Joey was one of those that was OCD with his teeth and his hair. And now his hair was wet from a shower and drops were traveling down his chest. “It's kinda cute.”

Joey rolled his eyes at her, grabbing his toothbrush. “Like I want them to know what I do at home. I mean, like this,” he nudged her and smiled, looking at her wearing the shirt she'd stolen from him with some cotton shorts. “Maybe we should let them in on what you do every day.”

“Oh yes, my life is so exciting. Please,” she said, her words garbled until she spit out the toothpaste. “They wouldn't understand normal is something you love.”

Joey nodded, watching her leave the bathroom. He heard the air conditioner kick on and the bed creaking and her getting in and flipping the tv on. Joey finished up what he was doing and came and looked at her curled up with his pillow, then at all the bags that were in his room. “Woman, you gotta leave before someone thinks I let a girl stay here and shop and share my stuff...” he joked, pulling the covers up to slide into bed.

Melissa let go of his pillow and sat up a little more, flipping through channels. She paused at MTV, grinning. “Oooo,” she said, seeing NSYNC singing “God Must Have Spent (A Little More Time On You)”.

Joey watched her and laughed, grabbing the remote and turning the television off. “Why watch that when I can sing to you?” he asked, not being able to see anything in the sudden darkness, the clock lighting up enough to barely make out his friend's face looking at him. He started softly singing the words to the song that had been on. His arms pulled her closer as he sang until she was up against him. Joey could feel her breath on his skin and he stopped singing.

“What's wrong? Joey?” Melissa asked, moving to where she could look at him. One of her hands found his cheek when he didn't answer and she bit her lip when she felt something wet on her hand. “Talk to me...please,” she said softly, her voice wavering, not sure what was going on.

Joey hadn't meant to get emotional, but it had just happened. He was sick of being like this with Melissa, being so close but at the same time trying to hide his feelings. “I'm fine, bambina,” he said after a moment, reaching up and tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. “And I'm tired of talking. Or not talking...” he paused momentarily before pressing his lips to hers, a featherlight kiss before he pulled away.

Melissa laid there, her heart beating faster as she thought about what he meant. She should say no. Argue with him that he had a girlfriend, that they shouldn't feel this way about each other. Instead she stared at him, one of her hands caressing his cheek and moving up to his hair. “Are you going to kiss me again?”

Joey smiled, holding her face with both of her hands as he kissed her again. As the kiss deepened, he breathed through his nose, moving his head slightly so that he could roll Melissa over to where she was lying on her back with him beside her, her face turned towards him. He low growl left his throat when he felt his hair being pulled, her fingers wound in his hair. “Bambina,” he whispered, breaking the kiss only to let his lips trace along her jawline.

“Joey,” Melissa breathed, not sure she believed what was happening. One of her hands unwound out of his hair and moved to skim her fingernails along his neck and to his shoulder, kneading it. She ran her free hand down his arm to his bicep and back up. When his tongue found her earlobe, Melissa let out a whimper.

“What's wrong, Melly?” Joey asked, nuzzling the space between her ear and her neck, nipping it gently. When she didn't answer, Joey pulled back and looked at her. “Do you want to stop?” he asked, being serious. He'd go take a cold shower and sleep on the couch. It wasn't what he wanted to do, but if she put a halt to things he would.

“No...” she said after a moment, panic coming to her voice a little, pulling him back towards her. She felt a blush creep up from her chest to her neck and her face. “I,” she licked her lips and shook her head. “I'm nervous,” she ducked her head into his chest, clinging to Joey, trying to concentrate on the feel of his hands running along her back.

Joey held her for a few minutes. It was endearing. The woman who he joked and laughed with about all sorts of sexual things was nervous about being with him. “So you're nervous,” he said, feeling her nod and hold on to him tighter. She was avoiding looking at him and Joey knew Melissa would do that until he made her un-nervous. “Would it help if I told you I'm scared to death.”

A small laugh came from her and she looked up as Joey looked down at her, their lips barely meeting. “You're full of it, Fatone.”

“Look at me, Mel,” Joey said, maneuvering her to where they were face to face, their bodies entwined as much as they could be. “I'm scared,” he took one of her hands and kissed it before placing her palm on his heart. “As much as I want you, I worry that you might regret this. That I'd have screwed up the best thing in my life. We can't go back and undo this, Melly.” Joey waited in silence, watching her eyes study him. He was praying hard she'd say something.

“I'm just nervous that I won't be as good...as..” she shrugged, not naming names. “Or that you'll wake up in the morning and wonder if I slipped you something. I'd rather not do this and just be your friend, than do this and then you'll wish you hadn't.” Melissa bit her lip when she heard Joey suck in a breath. She heard what he said after that and her mind stopped momentarily. “Say it again,” she whispered, her voice threatening to quit, her eyes brimming with tears.

“I love you,” Joey repeated softly, running his fingers through her hair with one hand while the other anchored her to him at her lower back, his fingers splayed out across the fabric of her shirt. He smiled when Melissa's mouth twitched into a smile and he sighed when she grabbed his face and pulled him in for a kiss.

Melissa knew she loved Joey, just wasn't sure if she could say the words without crying, so she did the next best thing. She brought her lips to his, kissing him hard on the mouth. The kiss was broken only when they both needed air and she laid there, trying to catch her breath. “I love you too, Joey,” she laced her fingers in with his, smiling at him.

Joey moved into a more comfortable position, chuckling at her protest to throw the covers off. “I'll keep you warm, bambina,” he said, letting one of his hands travel up under the shirt she was wearing to skim just under her breasts and back down, settling at the waist band of her pants. His fingers skimmed along Melissa's waist and hips, moving her to where she was under him, their bodies as close as they could be with clothes on.

A soft moan of pleasure came from her lips, pulling his mouth back down to meet hers. Melissa didn't care where his hands went, as long as they were touching her. Hers were doing a good job of making Joey's hair look like he'd stuck his finger in a light socket when her nails weren't dug into his back when he'd place his mouth on her neck and nip the sensitive skin on her shoulder. She sucked in another breath when his mouth found her breasts, not realizing he'd pulled her shirt up. “Oh, god...Joey,” she gasped when his tongue flicked over a nipple.

The woman telling him she loved him and saying his name every few moments was music to Joey's ears. It spurned him on to keep going, pulling the shirt off her, smiling as he started kissing her at her hairline and down her face, intending to make his way back down to where he'd been the moment before. A groan came from Joey when Melissa's hand slipped from his chest down to his stomach to the waistband of his shorts. He knew she'd felt his erection pressed up against her and his mind tried to wrap itself around the fact that they were going to do this. Joey wanted it to be right, slow and something that meant something. Not just sex. It wouldn't ever be just sex with Melissa, but he didn't even want that to cross her mind. He smiled at her hesitation. “Don't get shy on me now, Melly,” Joey rumbled against her collarbone, kissing it.

Time was lost on the two of them, and when Joey would look over later, he'd see that they were still awake a little after 1 AM. His whole body buzzed as he looked down at Melissa, nuzzling her nose with his and kissing her softly, the smile on his face threatening to stay there forever. It had been better than a fantasy, to have her hands and mouth on him, driving him crazy. Melissa had been the one to inform him of places on his body that would feel good to kiss and lick and suck, things he'd not known. Joey was sure he'd never look at the inside of his arm where it bent at the elbow the same again. “So,” Joey whispered, settling his body weight on her more, content to stay that way, “How are you?”

Melissa giggled at his question, smiling stupidly. She could smell his scent on her. “I'm fantastic, Fatoney. How are you?” Melissa asked, playing with his hair more. It looked like a trainwreck and she made a face that it was sweaty. They both were.

“I think if I wake up in the morning and find out this is a dream, I'm going to be pissed. And then I'm going to seduce you. You will come to the dark side of the Force.” Joey said in his best Darth Vader voice and finally moved, knowing they needed to get some sleep. Kissing her lips, he groaned in pleasure when he felt her tongue play at his lips. “Gimme a few minutes and then we can both get a shower,” Joey told her when he finally pulled away.

Melissa nodded, watching him grab his boxers and shorts off the floor. She stretched and smiled as muscles protested, thinking of what had happened between them. She heard her name being called and grabbed the t-shirt she'd been wearing and the panties from the Victoria's Secrets bag.

“Holy shit, Mel,” Joey exclaimed, tilting her neck when she got into the bathroom. A large hickey was there. “I'm sorry, bambina,” he said, hoping she could cover it up. The water had been turned on and was steaming up the mirror. Joey leaned down and kissed the spot. “Let's see if I marked you anywhere else,” he murmured, looking her over.

“Does that hurt?” Melissa asked, trying not to grin at the bite mark on his chest that was turning a yellow-ish purple. When he told her to bite, she had. She looked at him when he shook his head no. “So what does this make us?” she asked quickly, not sure if she wanted to know the answer.

Joey grabbed her hands and pulled her body up to his. “This makes us better than best friends.”

Melissa laughed at him, getting into the shower and waiting for him to join her, the water spraying them both. “I don't know about all this,” her voice was teasing, a smile on her face. “Being your best friend and your lover might be a full time job.”

“Oh it is, but I give damn good benefits,” Joey told her once more, pressing Melissa against the wall and kissing her hard. He'd never get tired of kissing her now that he could without worrying about it. Or telling her how he felt. It was like his heart was free and at peace. It was the best he'd felt in a long time. “I love you.”

“I love you,” Melissa told him, biting her lip and looking him over. Three years of waiting had been worth it. Now she just prayed it would only get better.
Chapter 13 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
Okay so the editing part is giving me fits. It shouldn't be italicized after the lyrics to "Don't Let Me Be The Last To Know"....And I don't own any song lyrics, they belong to the respective artists and record labels.  I am in the middle of getting kids ready to go back to school and myself going back. I will keep updating but not as fast.  Please review. I love hearing what you think about the story.

The morning found Melissa laying in bed, replaying the last nights events in her mind. She didn't regret any of it, a small smile on her face.. Joey was sound asleep and she wasn't going to wake him. Melissa rolled over to face him, her eyes tracing over the contours of his face. She should get up since Joey turned off the alarm. There was a couple of hours before she needed to be in class and then work again until she was off for a day. One of her hands found Joey's cheek and stroked it, letting her lips trace around his jawline.

Joey woke up by degrees, the feel of a hand touching him, then lips and then he grunted, pulling her closer. He heard a sigh and barely opened one eye. “Mornin',” he said, his voice gravelly with sleep, leaning in to kiss her. His lips met hers and he smiled, wrapping his arms around her.

Melissa kissed him back, breaking off the kiss to sigh. Smiling at him. A noise distracted her she looked over at Joey's phone, seeing Kristen's name on caller ID. “Kristen's calling...” she said, her eyes not meeting his. It had made reality come back all to quickly that this had just been something of a fantasy, that they weren't together. The next minute the thought flashed through her mind that she was one of those girls she despised.


Joey felt like ice water had been doused on him at hearing his girlfriend's name. Especially from Melissa's lips. He raised an eyebrow at her, lifting his head where he could look at her. “I'll call her back later,” he said. Breaking up with Kristen was on his to do list. She was in Pittsburgh and he didn't think anything was wrong with telling Melissa how he felt. The confused look on his face intensified when Melissa slipped out of his arms. “Where you going, bambina?” Joey was awake now, sitting on the bed as he watched her throw stuff unceremoniously in her bag.

“I'm not doing this with you, Joey. I don't regret last night, but I can't..we can't...” Melissa swallowed a lump of emotion and shook her head.

“If you didn't regret it, you wouldn't be trying to leave,” Joey told her, getting up and folding his arms across his chest. “What happened between then and now? I had a girlfriend last night too. You said you loved me. I asked if you wanted to stop. Do you remember that?” Joey's words became louder the angrier he got, at Melissa and at the fact that she was right.

Melissa nodded, wiping tears away, turning to face Joey. “I remember. And I just told you, I didn't regret it. I just realized this morning that I don't want to be that girl that wrecks a relationship. Even if you are breaking up with her, Joey. She deserves to be told. I at least told Travis I was through with him.”

“So I was a rebound fuck?” he watched Melissa blanch, stepping back from him. “You sure have a damn funny way of showing someone you care about them. I didn't hear you spouting any of this last night...” Joey bit off his words.

“I just want you to do the right thing! If you want us to be together, you'll break up with Kristen first. Not get mad at me for thinking about it. Don't be so childish, Joey!”

Joey broke the standoff, getting into her personal space. “Childish? I'm fucking childish because I love you? That I thought last night meant something to you when it didn't?” he held a finger up when Melissa started to speak. “I just realized something, Mel. That for all the things I like about you, you sure are two faced. It's okay for your brother to date Rachel while he's gay. For any other guy to do whatever he wants and then when I do something, suddenly it's wrong.”

“That's because I love you more than any other guy! I don't care what my brother does, or JC or Justin or whoever,” she finally said, her voice broken and ragged.

“You have a damn funny way of showing it,” Joey repeated, grabbing her bag after she'd zipped it up, putting on a pair of capri's. He found a pair of flip flops and slipped them on, grabbing his wallet and keys. “Come on. I'll drive you home.”

“Joey...” Melissa started, heartbroken when she wouldn't even look at her or talk.

“If you love me as much as you say you do, you won't talk to me right now,” Joey snapped, tossing her bag in the backseat of the Acura. He barely waited until she had shut the door before backing out of his driveway. “I'm not a fuckin' saint. I'm a person, Mel. I have feelings. And I thought you'd be the last one in the world to make me feel like shit. Especially after yesterday...and last night.. Guess I was wrong.” Joey stopped talking after they got off the interstate and into Lance's neighborhood. He felt his breath leave a bit when he looked over at Melissa. She had her head leaned against the window and he could see her shoulders shake. There was a part of him that knew he was responsible, but the rest of him told that part to shut up.

Melissa used the back of her hand to wipe her face and got out of the car. She dug her key out of her purse and gave Joey a sad look as he got her bag and left it on the sidewalk. “Are we back to where we were before?” she asked in a small voice, watching as he stood there, emotions running across his face.

“I don't know,” Joey told her, running a hand over his face. “Not sure if I'll have my phone with me today.” It was his nice way of telling her don't call him, that he needed some time. He saw her nod, feeling like an ass. Nothing was going the way he thought it should. Joey got back in his car and backed out of the driveway, saving the cursing and banging the steering wheel until he'd gotten to the stop sign at the end of Lance's street.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

“You gonna sit there all day like that?” Lance asked his sister, watching her stare off at the dark screen of the television, a mad scowl on her face. He'd been surprised when she was home that morning when he got up, offering clipped answers of why she was home. It didn't tell him anything and she left for work, coming home in much the same mood. “Do you want something to eat?” he asked, thinking he heard her mutter she'd rather starve.

“What happened? Is it something with Jo--”

“Why does everyone assume things happen with Joey when I'm upset? Is Joey my boyfriend?” Melissa yelled at him, getting up and walking past her brother to go to her room. “No, he's not. He's with Kristen. “

Lance sighed heavily, grabbing the remote. “Yep, it's Joey,” he muttered, flipping channels.

*^*^*^*^*^*

“Is something weird going on? Did aliens come abduct your body or something?” Justin asked Joey as they shot hoops in front of Justin's house in Orlando. They were going for a game of HORSE,
but so far it had been quiet on Joey's side of things with one word answers and no jokes. Justin held the ball. “Seriously, dawg. Either fuckin' talk or I'm gonna body check you into the sidewalk and make you scream like a bitch. Mel will have to take you to the hospital and you'll have to tell them you got your ass kicked by me.”

Joey started to have a smile on his face from his friend's insult, but snorted at the mention of Melissa's name. “Nothing to talk about. You don't know how to keep your trap shut,” Joey grabbed the ball from Justin and shot. He didn't want to admit that he'd slept with his best friend and now not talked to her for two days. Joey felt like shit. He'd toyed with calling her, and to his surprise, Melissa had actually listened when he told her not to call. Joey told himself she hadn't called because she was waiting on him to call her, but he figured she was waiting for him to break up with Kristen.

“You don't look and act like a fuckstick until you and Mel aren't talking. Which has been more in the past three months than the past five years,” Justin told Joey, grabbing the ball back and executing the same shot Joey just had. “What's the problem? She decide to bang some guy or what?”

“We slept together...” Joey ran a hand through his hair, his eyes not meeting Justin's. “As in, we had sex.” It was no secret that he and Mel had shared a bed before, but nothing physical had gone on.

Justin stopped, a huge grin on his face. “So you're here with me because why? You aren't trying to get more bow chica wow wow?” He stopped when Joey glared at him. “I mean, if she's your girlfriend...”

“She's not.”

Justin put two and two together and Joey had to duck when the basketball sailed unceremoniously close to his head. “You motherfucking cocksucker! You fucked your best friend while you were still with Kristen? And Mel let you? Were you both high on crack?” Justin yelled at him, not caring when Joey got up in his face. “You wanna throw down, Fatone? Get mad, bitch. That's it,” Justin smacked Joey's face, getting hit in return in the mouth, spitting out blood.

“Why the fuck do you care so much? Melissa's not your little sister or your cousin or some shit. I asked her if she wanted to stop and she didn't tell me no-”

“Of course she's not going to tell you no, dumbass! She loves you!”

“Then why didn't she tell me I wasn't the rebound fuck?” Joey yelled, wishing he could really hit Justin. He was mad, confused, and not sure what he wanted. Actually he knew what he wanted, but he hated being the bad guy. “She told me to break up with Kristen before she and I did anything again, but that night it was 'oh Joey' this and 'kiss me Joey'.”

Justin had resigned himself to listen, leaning against the porch, a funny little smile on his face. “You have no fucking idea, do you? I'm not saying Melly's perfect. She's a woman, she has issues. But if you think for one second she wouldn't damn well do whatever she could to have you, you're sorely mistaken.”

“I told her she could be with me! What else do you want me to do? What about me and Kristen?”

“That's the first time I've heard you ask that since we've been home, dawg. And no woman wants to be 'the other woman'. Melissa realizes she's now that woman. She's letting you fix your shit,” Justin told him. “I sure as hell ain't gonna be the guy dating the girl I didn't want to because I was too afraid of what might happen in the most perfect relationship I had that I ruined.” Justin shrugged. “You must not love Mel like I thought you did.”

“It's not that cut and dried. What if it was you and Britney?” Joey asked, watching a stony far off look come to Justin's face.

“Fuck you. We were talking about you, not me,” Justin told him, picking up the basketball that was at his feet. “You don't want the woman who only wants you on Friday night. You want the woman you want to spend all day Saturday with cleaning house or reading the paper or whatever shit you do,” he told Joey, pointing a finger at him. “Mel's not completely innocent, but I lay the blame on you. Either break up with Kristen or tell Melissa you two are just friends. Nothing else.” He watched a pained look cross Joey's face. “Remember that feeling when someone else has her and you don't. I gotta go meet JC to go over some music,” he looked at his watch.

Joey knew Justin wasn't being rude, he hadn't called to check what Justin was doing, just showed up at his house. He nodded. “Thanks for the game.”

“You should be saying 'thanks for your wisdom oh great Justin',” Justin told him with a laugh.

Joey shook his head and chuckled slightly, “Maybe you can get your own talk show when NSYNC is done.”

“No, I'm gonna take Mel and marry her and have five or six kids.”

The space between Joey and Justin lessened in the next ten seconds and Justin smiled wide when Joey had him by the throat. Joey outweighed Justin by a bit and he was pressed up against his front door. “What's the problem?” he coughed out, still smiling. “You'd cut out your own liver with a rusty spoon if she asked you to. You don't want her with anyone else, but you won't give her what she wants.”

“Which is?” Joey ground out between clenched teeth, letting Justin go, punching the metal door. His hand throbbed and he figured he broke a knuckle, smiling back at Justin who'd flinched.

“You, Joey. That's all she wants,” Justin took that opportunity to punch Joey as hard as he could in the stomach. “That was for choking me. Love you, dawg,” he said, patting Joey's head as he was bent over. “I wonder what kind of engagement ring Mel would like.” He grinned when Joey huffed and flipped him off. “My work here is done.”

It took Joey a few moments to recover and pick up his lungs and swallow his lunch back down into his large intestine. He looked at Justin's front door, trying to figure out what kind of circles the younger man always talked in. He got in his car and picked up his phone, seeing he had missed calls from Kristen. Joey sighed, tossing his phone back into the empty cup holder.

*^**^*^*^*^*^*^*
Joey sat on his couch, dozing off. He'd planned on making the effort to go to bed, but so far it had been a bust. For a Friday night, he'd done almost nothing besides heating up some tv dinner that tasted like cardboard. Joey figured out why nothing good was on television. Most people would be going out on the start of the weekend. He'd been invited out by Chris who was going to DJ at one of the local clubs. Joey had turned him down, not in the mood. He was avoiding calling Kristen, not sure he wanted to deal with her reaction, whatever it would be. His phone hadn't even had a text message from Melissa and he was depressed over that. Joey wanted her as his best friend and his girlfriend. It seemed that it was a no brainer, but here he was over-thinking it. “Fuck,” he muttered, picking his phone up and flipping it open. Headlights coming down the road reflected into the living room and Joey paused, seeing them come into the driveway. He raised an eyebrow at company so late, wondering if he missed a text or call saying someone was coming over.

The security light came on and Joey waited until a knock on the door came to get up, praying it was someone he actually wanted to see. He looked through the peephole and blanched. There was Kristen standing on his doorstep, looking like she'd fell off a page in Vogue and not too happy.

Joey took a breath and released it as he opened the door, a smile pasted on his face. "Kristen, I didn't know you were coming."

"Surprise," Kristen grinned, throwing her arms around him. "I was missing you and decided to come and spend time with you," she leaned up touching her lips to his.

"Great," Joey said, hoping he sounded happy as a boyfriend should. He must have failed because Kristen pulled back and looked at him, searching his face.

"What's going on?" She asked as they made their way into the living room. She kept her eyes peeled for something out of place. Something to give her an inkling that not all was well. "What have you been doing on break? I've been trying to call but..." she trailed off.

Joey winced. This was not how he was planning on doing this. “Let's sit down and talk, Kris,” he said, moving towards the couch. When Kristen didn't move he turned and stood there, not sure of what to say.

“You've ignored me for almost a week, Joey,” Kristen said, looking him over. “I could understand it if you were touring or recording, but you've been off. How stupid do you think I am? That I didn't think that when you'd get back home you wouldn't be spending all your time with her.”

“Her name's Melissa,” Joey said, watching Kristen get upset. He let out a sigh and looked at her. “I was going to come see you this weekend and talk to you,” he frowned when she huffed, “I think we should start seeing other people.”

Kristen stood there for a moment before laughing. “You're kidding right?” she said, looking at Joey. He wouldn't meet her eyes and Kristen stilled. “You're serious...”

“I've been in love with Mel for a while now, I just didn't realize it. I didn't want to hurt you, Kris....It just happened.” Joey wasn't lying, but he wasn't being totally honest either, not sure he wanted to fess up to sleeping with his best friend.

“What just happened? You forget you had a girlfriend and decided to go slumming? Getting rid of me for her? I thought you had better taste than that,” Kristen sneered, looking Joey up and down. “You know what? Let's hope she's as good in bed as me. And I hope every time you fuck her that you'll think of how good we were together.”

“There's more to a relationship than just sex,” Joey told her, getting a little perturbed at her raising an eyebrow at him.

“You're a good one to talk,” Kristen told him, shaking her head. “I remember you always wanting some.”

“I think it was the other way around, sweetheart. You liked my name, my celebrity status and what I could do for you. Just like all the other fakes,” Joey said in a clipped voice as he bit off his words.

“Believe it or not, Joey, I loved you. Yes, I used you some. I liked the money you made and enjoyed being someone...but I did think you were a nice guy. Did you sleep with her?” Kristen took Joey's silence as an affirmative answer and laughed, shaking her head. “And you're like all the others, always looking for your next piece of ass. Be sure to let me know when you get rid of her like you did me. I'm not going to let you go that easily, but I will leave just so you can try and fail. Because no one breaks up with Kristen Devon and just keeps me from getting what I want. And I want you.”

“That's why they made restraining orders,” Joey told her, raising an eyebrow to Kristen laughing. “Just leave me alone, Kristen.”

Kristen's smile broke and she glared at Joey. “Fuck you.”

“Sorry, I don't think you're a part of the 'us' I want to be a part of. Now please do me a favor and get the hell out of my house.” Joey ushered Kristen out the door, but not before she kissed him softly on the lips and gave him a smile. “Bye, Kris.” He was thankful that the taxi had waited, shaking his head at her telling him he'd get tired of Melissa and come back to her. Joey stood there in his driveway a few minutes. He felt better than he had the past few days, but still sad. He had liked Kristen, up until he'd realized his real feelings for his friend. Maybe it was not as clear cut as that, but it seemed like the obvious answer of what had happened. Joey ran a hand through his hair and thought about Melissa. He felt a little lost, not knowing what she was up to.

Joey went inside and grabbed his phone and fired off a text to her. 'What u up to, bambina?' was his question and he laughed when he got the response. 'I lie awake, I drive myself crazy.'

*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“You're over there with a stupid smile on your face. Did someone text you and tell you that Justin was mistaken for a poodle?” Rachel asked, throwing popcorn at her friend. “Or did Joey text you?”

“I have no idea what you're talking about,” Melissa said, feigning innocense, trying to hold in her smile at her smartass reply to Joey. She and Rachel were sitting in her living room watching Dirty Dancing. Lance had gone to the club with Chris, the girls deciding they didn't want to mess with the crowd and the noise.

“Well if he's texting you, that's good right? Unless he's trying to get my foot up his ass,” Rachel replied, watching Baby dance her way from the bridge out of the scene where she'd just practiced with Johnny. “If he interrupts this movie, I'm kicking his ass. You two can go away and leave me to day dream about Patrick Swayze.”

“Oh shut up, it's Dirty Dancing. If he wants to see me, he can come over and watch it.” Melissa's phone rang and she looked at it. Before she could answer it, Rachel snatched it up.

“Listen, you red haired doofus. If you make us miss the practice lift scene in the lake, I will make you sing higher than Chris,” Rachel threatened as Melissa tried hard not to laugh. “Oh you did? Well good for you. If you're coming over we'll take some junk food from McDonald's. And you have to watch Dirty Dancing with us, since you're the interloper of the party..” Rachel rolled her eyes and nudged Mel, “Let me talk to Mel..” she mimicked Joey, handing the phone off and shoving Melissa towards somewhere that wasn't the living room.

“Hello?” Melissa said, going into the office that was on the main level of the house, “sorry about that.”

“It's all good,” Joey replied. “So, Dirty Dancing huh? I guess I'll live through it if I come over.”

“If? Well fine, I didn't want to see you anyways...” her voice trailed off, wanting to hope he was calling for a reason. She could just be friends with him, she reasoned. It might hurt, because she'd wanted more, but Melissa just wanted Joey to be in her life. “I hate you not talking to me.”

Joey listened to Melissa's voice change and swallowed hard. “Yeah, no shit. I wanted to call you, but...” he sighed. “We'll talk about it when I get there with some damn Mickey D's.”

“I know that just breaks your heart to get food. I want my usual, please,” she told Joey, talking to him a few more minutes before hanging up. She came back out to sit on the couch by Rachel, both of them watching the lake scene. “Why do I get the feeling you're going to bail on me after Joey gets here?” she asked the taller blonde girl.

“Because I am,” Rachel told Melissa, giving her a smile. “Don't worry, I know you aren't ditching me for Joey. You two need to talk. You want my opinion? Give it a week or three before you decide to be boyfriend and girlfriend.” She didn't miss Melissa's crestfallen look. “I'm not saying don't hang out or make out, just don't go telling everyone you're together. Ease into it. I mean, hell, you've waited this long. You both need some healing time if Joey just broke up with Kristen. Even if he did it with the purpose of being with you.”

Melissa sighed heavily and leaned back on the couch. “I hate it when you're right. I don't like hearing it, but you make a good point.” Headlights came through the blinds in the living room and Melissa got up to answer the door, smiling when Joey stepped through the doorway, handing her the carrier of drinks.

The three of them settled on the couch with their food, Joey sitting on one end with Melissa in the middle and Rach on the other. Joey hadn't really watched Dirty Dancing, but had heard some of the songs, trying not to chuckle at the girls whose attention was on Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey. “What is it about the movie you like?

“The dancing. The sex,” both of the girls answered, two different answers.

“The dancing is better than the sex,” Melissa told Joey, a stupid smile on her face as she watched Patrick Swayze's back muscles flex as he moved his hips. “It makes the parts where you know they're doing it better.”

“Because they danced?” Joey asked, raising an eyebrow at her, a bemused smile on his face.

“Think of the dancing like foreplay, Fatone.” Rachel gave him a look to stop talking, but smiled when he got this look on his face that said he got it. She gathered up her trash and slipped her shoes on, finding her keys in her purse a little bit later. “Call me tomorrow, Mel. Er..later today.” She gave them both a hug and a smile before leaving.

Joey looked over at Melissa after the door shut. “So, how are you?” he asked, watching her bite her bottom lip as he grinned.

“I'm alright, how are you?” she asked, moving to where she could snuggle into Joey, putting her arms around his neck. Melissa laid her head on his shoulder and smiled when he pulled her closer.

“I had a surprise visit tonight. My then girlfriend showed up at my house,” Joey told Melissa. “We talked a little bit and then I told her I wanted to see other people. She didn't like it, but as of about an hour ago, I'm single and she's my ex-girlfriend.”

“Are you okay with that?” Melissa asked Joey, watching him nod. “It's okay if you're not, Fatoney.”

“Melly, listen to me,” Joey said, moving around to where he could tilt her face up to look at him. “It hurts a little, but I'll be alright. It hurt me more not to talk to you for three days...You're my best friend. And I want you to be more.” He brought his mouth down to kiss hers softly.

“Mmmm,” Melissa whimpered a little at his kiss, looking at him as they broke it off. “I know this is between me and you, but Rachel had a good point,” she explained to Joey what her friend had said and they talked about the pros and cons of waiting to announce they were together. “How about two weeks?” she asked, giving him a grin.

“One week,” Joey countered, watching the ending credits of the movie roll past. “Unless you need two weeks for a mourning period.”

“Shut up,” Melissa scooted away from him and grabbed a pillow and patted it. “Lay down and we can talk.”

“You told me to shut up, how can I talk when you say that,” Joey did as she asked, laying down with his head in her lap. His eyes closed when he felt her fingers in his hair. “God I missed you.” He looked up at her, with a smile “One week?” he pouted, kissing her when she leaned down for her lips to meet his.

Melissa kissed him and sat back up, rubbing his head. “One week. And I want you to ask me to be your girlfriend. Not just assume because the week's over we're just together.”

“So you want to be romanced and all that? I'm scared,” Joey teased her. “It's sort of like one of those things you don't see coming. Like with feelings and such. I mean, I'm a guy so I stuff mine away, or try to. And you see me for who I am and like me anyway. Even when I'm being a dick.”

“There have been days I'd like to have told you to kiss my ass. When you were tired or sick..but we all have those days when you wake up in a crappy mood and stuff happens during the day. I've had them too. I hate to inform you that you're not perfect and neither am I.”

Joey feigned a surprised look. “I'm not? Holy shit!” He reached up and wound his fingers through hers, kissing her knuckles. “You are perfect. For me.”

“That's funny, I feel that way about you,” Melissa told him, making his hair a mess. It was later that they went to bed, and even then it took them a while to get to sleep, talking about different things. Joey's hand felt warm and protective on Melissa's stomach just under her shirt and she smiled, hearing the air conditioner kick on. “Lance is going to kick your ass for messing with the air.”

“I can take him,” Joey told her, his voice quiet as he kept his eyes shut. It wasn't the same as being in his bed, but he was fine with it. The woman he loved was next to him and not going anywhere. “What?” he asked when Melissa moved around to where she was facing him. “I thought we were sleeping.”

“Don't get whiny,” Melissa said, knowing she would have a grumpy Joey if she didn't leave him alone. “Sing to me?”

“No. It's your turn to sing to me,” Joey told her, opening his eyes. “Don't get embarrassed and shit, just sing.” He smiled at her biting her lip in the dark. “Am I not worth singing to?”

“No, it's not that...I mean, we are goofing off most of the time when we're singing,” Melissa explained, blushing. “The only song I can think of right now is a Britney song.”

“Then sing me a Britney song,” Joey told her, waiting. He rolled over onto his back and put his arms behind his head.

“If I suck, you can't tell..” Melissa quit talking when Joey growled. “My friends say you're so into me, and that you need me desperately. They say you say we're so complete, but I need to hear it straight from you. If you want me to believe it's true. I've been waiting for so long it hurts, I wanna hear you say the words. Don't. Don't let me be last to know.” Her voice wasn't the same timbre as Britney's, but she thought she was doing a pretty good job, making it through the chorus before stopping, waiting Joey to say something.

Joey's breath came out, not realizing he'd held it. He looked over her and rolled over to his side. “C'mere,” he pulled her down to him, cradling Melissa in his arms, kissing her softly. “What is it you want to hear me say, Melly?” he nuzzled her neck, smiling when she tried to get away, his goatee tickling her ear. His voice dropped to a whisper. “I love you.”

Melissa stopped struggling and looked at Joey, stroking the side of his face. “I love you. I don't think I'll get tired of hearing you say that.” She moved to where they were more back to where they were to sleep.

“I love you, I love you, I love you...til the day my life is through, this I promise you,” Joey sang, chuckling at Mel laughing at him being silly. “Night, Mel.”

“Night, Fatoney. I want waffles for breakfast.”

Joey harrumphed, putting a hand over her mouth. “Keep talking and you'll be getting the angry monster from the bed for breakfast. Kapeesh?” He let her mouth go a second later after she nodded, feeling her pull the covers up more and snuggle into him. Joey didn't mind, glad he'd kicked the air down. Lance would just have to deal with it.
Chapter 14 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
I know I am slowing down with updates. Kids (and me) are starting school next week. My muses are pushing me, so I will write as much as I can when I can. Enjoy this chapter, I loved writing it. :) And thanks for reviewing. It makes my day!!
“Watch this,” Joey said, grabbing a handful of wet sand, grinning at JC. “Oh Melly,” he singsonged, the water splashing at his ankles towards the girls who were watching the other beach goers.

“You're gonna get it, man,” JC called out, smiling at his friend, then looking back to where Lance was putting on more sunscreen.

“I just thought that she shouldn't get four days off if no one else did,” Melissa was telling Rachel until she felt grainy sand going down her back and turned quickly, glaring at Joey. “What was that for?” she asked before he rubbed his hands on her face and her cleavage, grinning. “You better help me get this off, Fatone.”

Joey laughed, picking Melissa up and throwing her over his shoulder. “As you wish,” he said, ignoring her pleading for Rachel to help.

“If I help, he'll be limping back to the car,” she called out to her friend, trying not to laugh as Joey told her he didn't need any help. “You know she loves it,” Rachel told JC, who just nodded as they walked back towards where Lance was. “What are you doing with your next week off?”

“Gonna go see some family and just hang out with friends. Just hoping the week will go by slow.” JC gave Rachel a smile as they sat down each of them on either side of Lance.

“Maybe if we're lucky, Joey and Mel will wear each other out by the time we go home,” Lance said, slipping his sunglasses on. “I feel like I'm on babysitter duty.”

“Nah, they're good,” Rachel said, reaching over to rub in some sunscreen he missed. “You ass, you tan. I'm jealous.”

“Not all of us burn. Can't help it, babe.” Lance kissed her hand and made a face when he tasted sunscreen.

“You two are almost as bad as them. Except they are louder about it,” JC commented, watching them together. “You coming to the recording studio some?” he asked Rachel, pulling his ball cap on.

“Hopefully when I'm not busy I will...I wanna hear the new stuff,” she said, laying back on her chair.


“You missed some sand,” Melissa said, her arms around Joey's neck as they wandered out deeper into the ocean. She leaned back and went under the water and then came back upright. “Ugh, saltwater.”

“I think I got it all,” Joey told her, grinning as he grabbed her ass. “I couldn't resist, Mel. Who knew you were so fun to mess with?” He'd known it for some time but now there were no brakes being put on his feelings.

“You've been like this since we met, Fatoney. Just now it's more...calculated.” Melissa reached up and messed with his hair. “Kiss me,” she said, nuzzling Joey's nose. She laughed when he looked around at all the people. “I'm serious, Fatone. Kiss me.”

“I thought you wanted a week..best friend's don't kiss--” his words were lost when Melissa grabbed his face and kissed him hard on the mouth.


JC's eyes widened and he smacked Lance when he spotted Joey and Melissa. “Holy shit, what the hell did I miss? When did that happen?”

Lance lifted his head and whistled loudly. “This is a public beach you sickos!” he laughed when Rachel wooped loudly at them. “Maybe we need to have the PDA talk with them...”

“I think they know about that, Lance,” Rachel told him, getting up to walk towards the water. “Leave him some air, Mel, he has to sing next week!” she yelled loudly, laughing at Joey's surprised expression when the kiss broke off and a shit eating grin covered his face.


“Screw the week thing. I've wanted you to ask me out for three years,” Melissa told him as she caught her breath, leaning on Joey's chest.

“Three years?” Joey exclaimed, raising an eyebrow. “Why didn't you say something sooner?” The waves were starting to get bigger and Joey moved a little closer to the shore.

“I didn't know how you felt...why ruin us? I'd rather be your best friend and not have you than tell you how I feel and you not feel the same. Besides, we had a lot of fun in three years.”

Joey couldn't argue with her there. They had a lot of memories he wouldn't trade, ones that might or might not have happened if they'd been dating, complicating the relationship up until now. “Okay so I agree...but now that it's all out...will you be my girlfriend?” he asked, giving her a slow smile. “Come on, Mel,” he said when she acted like she was thinking about it.

“Only if you ask me in song,” Melissa countered, grinning, making Joey groan. “What? It'll be fun.”

“You're spoiled,” Joey told her. He gave her a looking over and chuckled before he took a deep breath and sang. “Each time the wind blows, I hear your voice so, I call your name. Whispers at morning, our love is dawning, heaven's glad you came. You know how I feel, this thing can't go wrong, I'm so proud to say I love you,” he sang, his lip twitching into a smile when she realized what song he was singing.

Melissa's smiled widened, “I love you, Joey. And yes, I'll be your girlfriend...if I have to. Ya know since I have so many guys asking me out,” she teased as he put her down to stand when they were close to shore.

“Shut up, Bass. You know you wanna go scream like a girl at one of our concerts. “I'm dating Joey Fatone” he mimicked her and ran crazily in a circle around her. “He's so cute and I can't believe he likes me like that.”

“Okay so I'm you,” Melissa folded her arms over her chest. “Yeah, whatever. Can I grab your ass?” she asked, making him stop and look at her.

“I wouldn't ask to grab your ass. I'd just do it.” Joey smacked her backside before grabbing her hand as they made their way over to their friends. “How are ya doin?” he asked Lance, dripping water on him, laughing when Lance pulled his sunglasses halfway down.

“Do I need to beat you up?” Lance asked smiling a little. “Why are you kissing my sister?”

Joey's face went slack. “This is your sister? Man...I thought she was some random girl,” Joey pulled Melissa to him. “I'm not just kissing your sister. I'm kissing my girlfriend.”

“The world has ended..I think I felt a tectonic plate shift,” JC said, getting up. He grabbed his phone and hit a number to speed dial. “Justin...you missed it.” He put it on speaker so their friend could talk to all of them.

“What did I miss dawg? I've only been gone a day..” Justin's voice said.

“Joey and Mel are officially together,” Rachel told him, smacking both of them in the back of head. “No thanks to me telling them to wait...I see how that worked. See if I give advice again.” She had a smile on her face and was teasing.

“About fuckin' time!” Justin yelled, they could hear him yelling at someone and then back. “Let me know when the wedding is. Like next week or something right?”

“You've lost your damn mind, Timberlake. We got married back when I graduated high school,” Melissa told him with a laugh. “I miss you Justin.”

“Make jokes, chica...I'll see you next week, kay. And Joey, way to man up. Treat her right or I will hurt you.”

“I seem to get that threat a lot. I don't think you have to worry, Justin..I'm keeping her,” Joey told his friend telling him bye before the rest of their group said their goodbyes and hung up the phone.

“So now that you're together, where are you taking her on your first big date? Rachel asked, watching both of them blink. “Oh give me a break. You gotta take her somewhere nice, dress up a little.”

“Dress up?” Melissa wrinkled her nose, elbowing Joey. “You don't want to see me dressed up do you?”

Joey started to shake his head no before he caught Rachel glaring at him. “I...maybe we should just once, ya know. Just to say we did. Besides, no one would believe it. I mean, you don't own a dress do you?” It was Joey's way of playing it off, getting her to agree to it. Besides, he knew if he could get Rachel to help her shop, it could be a very good thing.

“You hate dressing up unless it's for an awards show,” Melissa pointed out, giving Joey a look. “You told me it was a pain in the ass.”

Joey wasn't sure what to say, looking to JC and Lance for help.

“How about the two of you get dressed up for our entertainment,” JC suggested. “You know ZZ Top, 'Sharp Dressed Man' and all that. Besides,” JC slid his arms around the both of them. “It makes the after the date better,” his voice was almost a whisper, grinning when Melissa blushed and Joey got this stupid smile on his face. He winked at Rachel, patting them both on the back. “I told you that you'd like it.”

“Come on, Fatone. We can go back to your house and play Madden while Melissa and Rachel shop. You can take her out tonight,” Lance said, giving Rachel a smile. “Get something for you to wear so I can take you out.”

“Oooh a date. I'm there,” Rachel told him, leaning in and giving him a small kiss. “See you later?” she said, getting a nod.

“Make sure you get a dress,” Joey told Melissa, knowing how her mind worked. “A hot dress,” he added, loving that he made her blush. “I'll pick you up at 7.”

“You better look hot yourself.” Melissa kissed him quickly as she looped her arm through Rachel's. “You suck,” she muttered once they were out of earshot of the guys, taking Lance's car back towards Orlando.

“Shut up. You know you're excited to look like a girl for once. Joey won't know what hit him.” Rachel smiled as she unlocked the car and they got in. “Just trust me on this.”

“The last time I trusted you, you got me to wax my legs and my eyebrows. I was allergic to the wax and broke out in hives. This better be a whole lot better than that.” Melissa blew kisses to Joey before they backed out, laughing at him pretending to be heartbroken. “Fine,” she said a little bit later as they made their way back to Orlando, “make me hot. But it's just this once.”

*^*^*^*^*^*

“Holy crap, I look freaking hot. Other than my boobs are going to fall out of this dress,” Melissa told Rachel, pulling at the halter top to the black dress she was wearing. It had an empire waist and covered her fine, other than she wasn't used to it. The skirt hit her about the knees and went off longer at an angle in the back, the longest side hitting her about mid calf. “You made me beautiful, Rach,” Melissa turned to grin at her friend who was getting ready herself. “And you look hot.”

“You're welcome. And technically it was me, the dress shop and Clinique. Your hair looks awesome,” Rachel told her. They'd curled Melissa's hair and pulled it up into a french twist with the big black flower barrette with a few cubic zirconias in it to sparkle. “I have to get pictures to use as blackmail,” Rachel smoothed her own dress out, a halter top long dress in a dark navy blue color, her hair half up and curled as well. Her make up was a nighttime dramatic effect and Rachel smiled. Very different from their usual dress.

Melissa slipped her feet into her new shoes, some black sparkly Tom's. She'd refused heels, arguing with Rachel that it wasn't sexy to face plant into something as she walked. “If Joey's not dressed up, I'm kicking his ass,” she told Rachel, taking a deep breath. “Why am I nervous? It's just me and Joey...”

“You're nervous because now he's coming to pick you up for a date. All the other times he's been coming to hang out. It didn't matter if you were wearing sweat pants or whatever,” Rachel told her with a shrug. “Quit pulling on your top. The girls aren't moving, take a deep breath.”

Melissa did as she was asked, letting Rachel take a few pictures. The doorbell rang and Rachel made her stay upstairs while her friend went to answer it.

Joey's eyebrow raised at Rachel. “You look good, Rach,” he grinned at her looking at him. “I clean up alright,” he said, standing there in a tan Armani suit with a black shirt and tie, his hair spiked up. He'd even shaved, making his goatee stand out more, the thin strip of facial hair covering his jawline.

“Wow, you look good. No fedora?” Rachel asked, laughing when Joey produced one, the same color as his suit. “Come in and I'll call Mel. Try not to faint, okay?”

A smile played on Joey's lips as he shook his head. He wasn't going to faint. His eyes widened when he saw her, swallowing hard as his heart rate increased. Joey wondered what had happened to his best friend, now some woman claiming to be Mel standing in front of him. She looked stunning and Joey was at a loss for words. “Amazing,” he murmured, pulling her to him and looking her over.

Melissa beamed at his words, blushing a little and looking him over. “You look hot, Joey. Handsome...sexy...” she smoothed down his tie and grinned. Neither one of them paid attention to Rachel who was taking pictures and got a couple with her phone.

“Ignore me, I'm not here,” Rachel told them, grinning at the shots she'd gotten, sending her phone pics off to Lance to forward to Justin, Chris and JC. She sent it to Mel's phone, knowing her friend would share it.

“So, where are you taking me?” Melissa asked Joey, grinning when he shrugged like he was keeping a secret. “Fine, I didn't want to know.”

“Come on, let's go before we miss our reservation,” Joey said, offering her his arm. The restaurant wasn't black tie or anything, but it was one he'd been to before and it was fancy enough and something he thought Melissa would enjoy. He smiled at her surprise at the black Lamborghini sitting the driveway. “You'll have to call and thank Justin. It's a friend of his that brought it over,” Joey told her, opening the suicide door and helping her in. “I left my spleen on deposit.”

Melissa laughed at Joey as he shut her door and got in. “You didn't have to do all this, Joey. I would have been happy with McDonald's or whatever, riding in the Acura.”

Joey barked a laugh, leaning over to kiss her cheek. “I know you would, so that's why it makes this more special. You don't expect this every time we go out, and God knows how many times we've sat at the house and ordered pizza.”

“We weren't dating then. I don't expect you to change because we're dating. I still want my best friend,” Melissa told him as they made their way down the interstate.

“Me too. I still want the girl who hates scary movies and can't do math. The one who laughs at my stupid jokes and knows I dislike salmon.”

“So what changes?” Melissa asked Joey, slipping her fingers into his, giving him a smile. She could think of one thing, a blush creeping up her cheeks.

Joey cut his eyes over to her, noticing her blush. “Well...the physical stuff. Not sure anything else does. Does it need to change?”

She was quiet for a few moments, thinking. “I hope not. I mean, the feelings will change in that they'll get deeper. And the Bee Gees started playing in my head.”

“How deep is your love, how deep is your love I just need to know,” Joey sang, fiddling with the radio. “Hell yeah,” he said, turning up a rap song, letting it bump the car as they both sang along.

“You need help!” Melissa yelled at him, shaking her head, the smile on her face threatening to break.

“Like you've never told me that before, bambina,” Joey yelled back, bobbing his head to the music, turning it down a little as they made their way through downtown. “Here we are,” Joey told her as they pulled up to Citrus Restaurant & Bar.

“I'm gonna order the most expensive thing on the menu,” Melissa told Joey, sticking her tongue out at him, grinning as he glared at her.

“Stick it out again, Bass.” Joey's mouth played off a smirk as she did it again, and he kissed her. A long hard kiss that left them both breathless. “I want dinner. Think you can keep your hands off of me for that long?”

Her jaw dropped and she looked him up and down. “I hope you know, Mister Fatone, you aren't all that and a bag of chips,” Melissa gave him the yeah whatever look, chuckling when he opened her door and helped her out of the car. “Look who's talking with their hands,” she muttered, grabbing Joey's fingers as they went lower down her back. “Are you always like this?”

“You know you like it,” Joey said as he opened the door for her, giving her a grin. He loved making her blush, which is what she was doing now. It wasn't about worrying if they were going to have a good time. That was a given. Joey studied Melissa as they sat down, watching her look around the restaurant. He didn't care how many other women were there, looking at him, he only had eyes for the woman sitting across from him. In that moment, Joey realized how lucky he was. The woman he wanted, the one all those words fit to all the songs was with him. And he wasn't going to let her go.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“I think this is the best Italian I've had in a really long time, eating out that is,” Rachel told Lance as she twined her shrimp and scallops fettuccine on her fork. “How's your steak and spaghetti?” she asked, watching him put some steak sauce on his plate next to his meat.

“It's good, the wine makes it better,” Lance said, giving her a grin. “Did you have fun out with my sister? Did she fight going to look at dresses?”

“Actually, no,” Rachel paused as the waiter poured more water into her glass, “she was nervous as hell. Who knew she cared about dressing up until now. If she starts wearing sundresses, I'm going to take her to get her head examined.”

“I tried to get mom to do that once...it won't work. And for the record, you look gorgeous.” Lance gave her a wink and chuckled as she blushed. “You know, for the record, I wish this could be real. You deserve that much, Rachel.”

Rachel swallowed her wine that was in her mouth and studied Lance, not sure of what to say. She was fine with the relationship the way it was. At the same time, she did feel a bit out of place when she looked around and knew that the couples sitting around them were real and they were just pretending. It was flattering to hear Lance say that, thankful he was a gentleman. “It's fine, Lance. I promise. If it's ever not, for either one of us, we'll talk about it, okay? But for now, you are in the running for boyfriend of the year,” she teased him slightly, reaching under the table to squeeze his hand.

Lance squeezed her hand back, nodding. “We are flying out to Los Angeles the first part of the week to hang out when the American Music Awards is. And,” his grin got wider, “I got a call about a movie. It won't be until next year, but they are thinking of putting me and Joey in it. It's a romantic comedy.” Lance told her what he knew about it. “I just know I'll be busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest.”

Rachel took a drink of her water and gave him an encouraging smile. “You'll do fine. Just enjoy all of the time and remember that you can sleep later. Besides, don't you live on energy drinks and stuff when you're on tour? Or at least that's what Mel said...”

“She's filling you full of crap. We get sleep as much as we can, once in a while an energy drink but for the most part they make us feel like shit. Our doctor on tour makes sure we're eating right, or as good as we can...believe me, Joey and Chris don't let us skip meals. Even if it's just stuff from catering and we are late to sound check.”

“I've seen ya eat, it's amazing you can eat all those calories and still look fit,” Rachel told him, wondering why they were talking about this. “Are any of you image conscious?”

Lance thought about it a minute before answering. “We all like to keep in shape, but I'd say Joey is...he works his ass off, but can still put on some weight if we're not touring. At the same time, he tries not to let it get to him if a fan says something to him...” he paused, looking at Rachel, “why do we keep talking about my sister and Joey instead of about us?” It wasn't an accusing question, but he was curious.

“I don't know. Maybe because it's something we have in common and we both want them happy,” she sighed, shrugging. “I've heard nothing but Joey the past three years...well, five, but still. I doubt I'll hear something different anytime soon,” she said with a chuckle.

“If we do then we worry,” Lance told her, nodding. They changed subjects a few times during the rest of dinner and dessert, from Rachel's job to their favorite sports to watch, and about them. “I have a couple people in Los Angeles I want you to meet when we go, they usually throw one awesome party after the awards show.” Lance told her about a party last year he'd went to, glad he'd have a date this year that wasn't his sister and that Rachel would be there. It made him feel better, not wanting to go stag.

“It sounds great,” Rachel started, looking surprised when she felt a hand touch her shoulder. “Hi Rachel, I didn't know that was you.” Rachel looked up, seeing her ex-boyfriend Greg smiling at her, looking between her and Lance.

“And I wish you hadn't have come to find out either,” Rachel told him through a forced smile, introducing him to Lance.

“Oh yeah, the boy band guy...NSUCK right?” Greg laughed at his own joke, then yelped loudly when Rachel's high heel found his foot. His face turned a shade of purple as she dug it in, with him whimpering. “Okay, I'm sorry...” he gasped, his fingers gripping their table hard, turning white around the knuckles.

“Thanks for not staying to chat,” Rachel said in a low voice, finally taking her heel out of his foot, figuring she broke one of his toes the way he was limping off. “Men are assholes,” she told Lance, leaning over to kiss his cheek, “well, all of them but you and the rest of the guys.”

“Good to know we rank higher than asshole,” Lance told her, bringing her face back to his and kissing her on the lips. “I'm used to the NSUCK thing, Rach.”

“I know, but no one says that to my boyfriend,” she told him matter of factly, wiggling her fingers at Greg who was limping out. The smile on her face was priceless, looking at him with a sickeningly sweet smile.

“Remind me never to piss you off,” Lance told her, handing his debit card to the waiter to run. Women were a whole different sort to deal with and it made him momentarily glad he was gay, but happy to have her there. “What do you want to do after this? We could always go to Disney World and watch the lights show...” he suggested, knowing it was still early.

“I haven't done that since I was little,” Rachel told him with a laugh. It was a little silly but it also did sound fun. “Maybe we could make it a double date? Make Mel and Joey have to keep their hands in decent places a little while longer...” her grin widened as she laughed, sending off a text to Mel.

“What did she say?” Lance asked when Rachel laughed harder at the text she'd gotten back.

“She said right after the quickie.”
Chapter 15 by DiamondDoss


Linda smiled when she looked out the window. “Melissa and Joey are here!” she called out to James who was in the family room. It was still very early on Thanksgiving Day, with company supposed to trickle in as the day wore on, with the meal being served around one that afternoon. She opened the door when the doorbell rang, hugging her daughter and then Joey. “Glad you could make it. You look still asleep Joey.”


“Not quite,” Joey said, carrying in the food they'd been asked to bring. He and Melissa had spent the night before cooking. Well, mostly him cooking but he'd convinced his girlfriend she wasn't going to burn down the kitchen and he'd enjoyed watching her bake a couple loaves of bread, the smile on her face when they came out perfect. Joey had grabbed the olive oil and oregano and made her try some hot. It ended up being a late night, but nothing he didn't mind losing a few hours sleep over. “What time's Lance coming?” he asked, knowing his friend would be there.


“I think Lance said he and Rachel would be here for drinks and appetizers around eleven. They were going to her family's for the actual dinner later,” Linda told him, shaking her head when he asked if she needed any help. “Get in there before my daughter drags you out by your ear.”


“I can take her,” Joey said with a smirk, hearing his name making a yikes face. “Happy Thanksgiving,” he told her, giving her a quick hug. He made his way to the family room where he shook James Bass' hand before sitting down next to Melissa who was grinning at him like a kid at Christmas. “You are way too happy about this stupid parade.” Joey laughed at her giving him a bad look, pulling her closer to him. “There's football pre-shows on,” he whispered a little bit later.


“I watched the whole thing last year cause these guys..uh, NSYNC were gonna sing at this stupid parade. It's tradition,” Melissa heard her dad snort, glaring at him. “Dad, you know you like it, you'll just side with Joey cause he's a guy and you aren't outnumbered with him here.”


James Bass held his hands up, “I'm Switzerland.” He handed Joey the remote and grinned. “You two argue over it. I was up too early basting a turkey..just don't break anything.”


Joey grinned at his having the remote, flipping the channel quickly and then back to the parade. “I have the remote,” he told Mel, holding his finger up and thumb out and passed it over the controller. “This is not the remote you're looking for.”

“Your Jedi mind trick won't work,” Melissa tried to get the remote from him, giggling when he pinned her down on the couch with one of her arms behind her back. “You're being stubborn,” she scoffed, smiling at him.


“I have three days off and I can watch football all day,” Joey argued, hearing James mutter something about kids and that he was going to get a drink. “What will make you let me change the channel?”he asked, holding the remote away from her free arm.


“When the parade's over,” she said, sticking out her tongue at him, squealing when he tossed the remote over where neither one of them could get it. Somehow, Melissa wiggled free and had almost gotten up when Joey grabbed her leg. “Joey!” she yelled, trying to shake him off. “You get the remote at your house!”


“We watch what you want most of the time,” he countered, enjoying the wrestling around. Joey knew it was for fun, not minding watching the parade, loving that he could aggravate her. “I'll let you hold the remote at home.”


“Fine,” Melissa said simply, laughing when he let her go to pick up the remote. “Ha! I got it now..” she turned the volume up, taunting Joey with changing the channel for a few seconds. “Aww,”she squished Joey's lips together and shook his head, seeing him glare. “De poor baby not getting his wittle foozball ..” she let his face go and kissed him. “You have to say the magic word.” She smirked at him and then screamed when he was on top of her, tickling her.


Joey pulled Melissa down and straddled her, watching where her knees were when he started tickling. “The magic word is please...” he said, his fingers finding sensitive areas, one was Melissa's ribcage as she laughed and screamed, still holding the remote. He could easily get it but this was much more fun.


In all the commotion, the two of them missed the doorbell and company that had shown up, a little old lady watching the two of them, her eyes wide, a small smile on her face. “Lord, Edgar, if I'd have known a live sex show was going on, I'd have went to the bank and gotten dollar bills to hand out,” the elderly woman said loud enough for Joey and Melissa to hear.


Joey and Melissa froze; her head peeking out at her grandparents from underneath Joey's arm. “Uh..Hi grandma. We're watching the parade.”She made no mention of what her grandmother said, her face red. 'Busted' she mouthed to Joey.


“Hello, Mrs. Raynes,” Joey said, pulling Melissa to a sitting position and getting off her. “You won the remote,” he told Mel, shrugging at Edgar who just laughed and shook his head. They both got up to greet them.


“I told you to call me Louise,” the older woman chided Joey, patting his cheek. “You better be treating my Nikki good.” Louise always called her grandchildren by their middle names, hence Lance being “Lance” and Melissa was “Nikki” only to her grandmother.


“I am. She's hard to handle sometimes,” Joey told her, hugging her and greeting Edgar. “What? You are...” he said to Melissa who was shaking her head. “Be proud. We made the bread from my Nona's recipe last night and Mel did it all by herself. Well, I brought the dough from my Mom's and helped kneed it, but she did the rest.”


Melissa flushed red and shook her head. “You act like I should get an award, Joey. It was good though,” she told her grandparents, beaming when they just looked at the two of them and smiled.


“Si, magnifico bambina mia,” Joey told her, both of them following the company to the kitchen, the remote still laying in the floor where it had been dropped.


“Next thing you know she'll be asking us if we're getting married,” Melissa whispered, shaking her head at him. Her grandmother asked her that every time she saw her whether she had a boyfriend or not.


Joey laughed at that statement, lacing his fingers through hers.“Nona asked me that a couple weeks ago when she called. I told her you were waiting on me to grow up and she said you need to not put so much pressure on me.” He grinned at the drop of her jaw, using a finger to shut her mouth. “What can I say, I'm her favorite?”


“Remind me to have a word with your Nona,” Melissa said, their teasing remarks forgotten as more people started coming in, cousins and other friends and family, including Chris, Lance and Rachel.



“Wow, this is awesome,” Chris said, having been out of town the last couple years visiting family, grabbing a small plate and some finger foods after hugging Melissa and fist bumping Joey. “You're coming over for game night, right?” he asked the four of them, grinning. After stuffing themselves with turkey and all the trimmings, it was going to be a party with drinks and games. Justin and JC were even going to fly back for it, wanting to spend time together without having work. Right then, conversations flowed around them and men could be heard yelling and talking loudly as the football game was turned on.


“Next time I'm taping the parade,” Melissa told Rachel, grabbing a plate as they went to the kitchen where the other women were, leaving the guys to talk. “Is Lance nervous about dinner with your parents?”


Rachel smiled, taking a plate and grabbing a stuffed wonton. She shook her head. “Not really. He's good at winging it. We'll stay for a while here, then go over to the house. I didn't think any liquor stores would be open today, but I called yesterday and found out they would be so we'll stop before we come to Chris' house.”


“I think we're going to pick up Justin and JC at the airport, but we'll be there.”


*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Melissa stood at the terminal, watching people get off the plane. A small smile played on her lips at seeing Justin and JC coming towards the exit. They were both waving at her, trying not to be noticed in their hats and sunglasses. Joey had opted to stay in the car so hopefully they could get out in one piece. Ricky had come with her, one of the security guys for a 'just in case' type thing, big enough to make people look twice, but he was in plain clothes standing next to her.


“Happy Thanksgiving, chica,” Justin said, hugging her tight when he got to her first. “I missed you and your stupid damn jokes.” He didn't let her go for a minute, then shoved her over to JC, who hugged her just as hard, wishing her a Happy Thanksgiving. “Sup, Rick?” Justin said, slapping the man's hand with a grin.


“Where'd you leave Superman?” JC asked after a hug, smiling at the notion of Joey sitting in the pickup parking when he heard the answer. “We just brought carry ons, so we're good to go.”


Rick led them through the airport and out to where their ride was, not taking any money from Mel. “I live ten minutes away and had to get away from the in-laws for a bit. I should be paying you,” he told her telling the guys bye and going to his own vehicle after telling them he'd see them next week.


“Did you miss me?” Justin asked as they got into the back of Joey's Range Rover, fistbumping him.


“Like a toothache, Timberlake,” Joey replied, grinning when Justin flipped him the bird. “I don't swing that way. Sides,” he leaned over and kissed Melissa on the lips. “I got a girlfriend.”


“It's getting hot in here, so take off all your clothes,” JC sang, with Justin chiming in.


“I am getting so hot, I wanna take my clothes off,” Justin sang, starting to unbutton his shirt, laughing at the both of them. “Please tell me you aren't gonna have sex on the bus. I don't wanna know about that shit.”

"We'll try to keep it down,” Joey said with a smirk.

"Try," Melissa slid Justin a look out of the corner of her eye. "Joey's a screamer."

The occupants burst out laughing as a blush crept up Joey's neck.


“So we won't tell you,” Joey told him with a grin as Justin groaned, covering his ears. Joey shook his head as they pulled out to head towards Chris' house. “How was the family, Josh?”


“They were good, man. They all said hi. My aunt asked if I was gonna be home for Christmas. I told her yes and she told me she was going to whip me if I wasn't there,” JC said with an obvious grin of affection for his family, “My mom cried at that. How was Thanksgiving for you two?”


“We ate with my family today, tomorrow is Joey's family,”Melissa said, turning around so she could talk, making faces at Justin, who was now listening. “I won remote control rights to Joey's tv.”


“Just stuff the remote and your balls in Mel's purse. You ain't seeing those anymore, dawg,” Justin told Joey.


Joey flipped him the bird and laughed. “I don't let her lead me around like that. You aren't any better.”


Melissa didn't miss the look that came over Justin's face as he looked out the window. “You okay, JT?” she watched him nod, suddenly interested in his phone. She made it a note to ask him later, glad when they pulled into Chris' driveway. There were a few cars there and she saw Lance and Rachel were already inside.


“Hey, Rach and Lance are here,” Melissa pointed out as they got out, hoping they had a good time.


“He's in so much trouble, Rachel's already dragging him around to family stuff. Better dust off the mantle for a family picture with the Weatherly's, holidays with the in-laws,” Justin joked as he shut the door. “We already know you're whipped, Fatone.”


Justin walked up to the door and put his finger to his mouth, proceeding to pound on the door, yelling “Police!”


"Come out with your hands up." Joey echoed, trying not to laugh.

"We have the place surrounded," JC chimed in, all of them listening to footfalls and loud talking inside.

Chris opened the door, and Justin whooped at the look on his face. “You thought we were the fuckin' cops. That was awesome,” he said, throwing his arm around Chris in a manly hug.


“Wouldn't be the first time,” Chris replied, shoving Justin playfully as they all came in. He eyed Joey and nodded a little at the game that was carried in.


The hugs didn't end with Justin and Chris, all five of them slapped backs and hugged, talking about their holiday and other things.


“So I heard you went and hung out with Jed Clampett in Beverly Hills,” Justin said, making Lance roll his eyes and shake his head. “How was it dawg? Did you pass the test?”


“Only you, Justin...” Lance sighed, nodding, “It was good, ya know. No one was too nosy and treated me nice. They thought we were a couple.”

Justin grinned and slid his arm around Rachel as well, pulling her into his embrace. “Good to know y'all's acting skills are up to snuff. I love that you two are together,” Justin gave them a sincere smile. “Just don't let anyone give you shit.”


“We won't. Especially you, Timberlake,” Rachel told him, hugging him back before she slipped from his arms and off to hug Chris and then JC.


Rachel watched JC set down his drink and pull her to him. She couldn't help but sigh to herself. He smelled good, like cologne and soap, not looking liked he'd been on a plane the last few hours. “Hi JC,” she said, standing there a moment and soaking it up. The tingly feeling she should have when she hugged Lance was there, one that she was trying to ignore and remind herself she wasn't wanting a real relationship with someone. She'd been hurt too many times before.


“Hi Rachel. How was your turkey day?” JC asked her, not missing the fact she looked nice, not overly dressed, but still put together. He figured it didn't matter what he thought, since she was dating Lance, even just for pretend he wasn't going to try and even see where those thoughts would take him. Instead, he let her go as he listened to her answer and grabbed his drink once more.


“Now that everyone's here, let the fun begin!” he announced, garnering whoops and hollers. There was more food and all sorts of beverages set out with a few different tables of games.


“How was dinner?” Melissa asked Rachel, grabbing a water for herself and a beer for Joey, hugging her friend once more as they moved towards the entrance to the kitchen.


“It was good. My grandpa enjoyed talking to Lance. Any other guy he's met that was my boyfriend,” she made a face at the word, “he ignored. Though looking back on some of those, I wish I had ignored them as well. What the hell was I thinking? Anyway, he thought your brother was great. How was yours? Besides Lucy of course...” Rachel's grin grew wider when Chris let out of loud groan as he walked by.


“Lucy was seated down at the other end of the table away from her future husband, much to her eleven year old dismay,” Melissa said, trying not to laugh. Lucy was her cousin who was convinced she was the love of Chris' life and for the past three years had made attempts at any family gathering to have Lance or Melissa tell their friend how she felt. “It was good...ate too much food. Watched football and then ate dessert. I think they were going back for leftovers when we left to get the guys. Nothing too exciting. Tomorrow will be the one where you don't know if a fight will break out or not. Joey's mafia ties and stuff,” Melissa continued, listening to Joey cackle at her comment, shaking his head as he shuffled cards.


“He wishes he was cool enough for that. You got the goofy guy, Mel.” Rachel looked around at the guys and some of the other people there from the band and group. She knew most of them, walking around with Melissa before games got underway, conversations coming and going about all sorts of stuff. It was going to be a fun night.


Rachel took a drink of her Pepsi and looked over at Lance. “Your brother was so good. Everything went smoothly and no one ever suspected we weren't really together. It was so nice to see my family treat him so well...I felt a little bad about it,” Rachel's voice faltered just slightly and she gave her best friend a look. “I wish I could find someone that treats me as good as your brother does. Or how Joey does you...” her voice trailed off as she looked over to where Joey and Lance were now talking.


Melissa put her arm around Rachel and pulled her in close. “You'll find someone like that. Maybe not today, but some guy will come along and sweep you off your feet. Hell be better than my brother, someone you can have a real relationship with.”


“You're just trying to make me feel better,” Rachel explained, goosing Melissa's ribs, giving her a small smile before frowning again . “I always seem to find the losers out there. So far I've struck out...maybe it's just not in the cards, you know. I can do this fake thing with Lance. Maybe it will let me figure out what to look for.” Rachel's gaze swept around the room and her eyes met JC's for a second before moving on. She didn't need any more thoughts clouding her judgment, relieved that she could keep her feelings separate about Lance and about other men.


JC swallowed hard and looked away from Rachel, downing his drink. The expression was momentary, but he'd caught Rachel's pained expression that told him she wasn't happy. He wasn't sure what made her feel that way. It wasn't his place to ask, watching the look go when she realized he'd seen her. He went back to listening to one of their friends talk, pushing it to the back of his mind for now. If it affected the group, or someone in the group, he'd make sure to get to the bottom of it. At the same time, he wasn't like Justin, who was a busy body. JC dealt with facts and figures, the reality of the situation more than feelings. It wasn't to say he didn't have feelings, but he tried not to be in everyone's business, even though something told him that Rachel was going to be part of the group more than he'd know right then.


“Just make sure you and my brother don't get hurt, Rach. You're both too good for that. Call it off if that starts to happen,” Melissa told Rachel quietly a few moments later.


Rachel grabbed a water and opened it, taking a drink before she answered. “You're brother's not gonna hurt me. It's all good. I promise,” she told her friend, watching Joey and Chris settle in with a couple of guys in the band to play poker.


“What am I missing?” Justin asked, knocking back a shot of vodka and pouring another, leaning on the counter next to the girls. He smiled widely, having come up a moment ago to get more to drink, deciding on shots.


“Just girl talk, Timberlake. You know, emotions and good mushy stuff,” Melissa said, grabbing a shot glass and letting Justin pour her a shot.


“Bullshit,” Justin said to them both, laughing. “You're over here swapping sex tips and shit. All this cock around and I know what girls talk about. You can't help it when all this eye candy is here.”


Rachel rolled her eyes and shook her head at him. “I hate to tell you, but looks aren't the only thing that's getting me into bed.”


“No, a couple more shots should do it,” Mel quipped, making Justin choke on his shot, laughing and coughing after he recovered. “That. Was. Epic,” he told them, laughing gleefully. He was glad to be there with his friends, enjoying their time to just goof off and relax.


*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*


“It looks like a giant penis, man!” Chris yelled, laughing when Joey chucked a marker at him. “So it's not a body part?”


“A mountain...a camel hump...a rainbow,” Melissa yelled out, throwing the marker back at Joey, laughing when he drew a big x through what he was doing and started on something else.


“You suck at drawing, Fatone!” Justin yelled, getting the bird. “Just act it out...we don't give a shit.”


“You can't act out a parachute, you dipshit,” Joey told him as the buzzer rang. “See?” he told his teammates, pointing out the strings and stick man.


“If you jumped off the coffee table and fell on the floor, they might have got it,” Lance joked, listening to Chris yell about his precious table. “Or they might have thought that was normal.”


“No love, I'm tellin' ya,” Joey said, sitting down and kissing Melissa's temple.


“You two better be glad I've drank some or I'd be telling you to find a room,” Rachel said with a laugh, laughing harder when Joey jumped up and grabbed Melissa's arm, dragging her back towards the hallway. “That wasn't a suggestion, Fatone!”


Rachel looked at Justin and Lance. “It's my turn,” she drew a card and shook her head. “What game is this, Joey? Porno Pictionary?” she got up and uncapped a marker, looking at JC to start the time.


“I'd say just act it out if you can't draw it,” Lance said, laughing when JC chucked the pencil he was using at Justin's hair.


Rachel's time went by slow it seemed, and she drew a line on her paper, then another and money signs around it.


“The tax collector!” Justin yelled, and they all dissolved in a fit of laughter at the look on her face.


“You're a moron,” Rachel told him, giving them all a grin. “You might wanna cover Joey's eyes,” she told Melissa, starting to unbutton her shirt and shake her hips just slightly.


“Damn it, my money's in my room!” Chris shouted, his eyes getting wide.


Lance watched Rachel and then looked at the drawing. “It's a stripper pole!” he yelled, jumping up in victory off the couch. “You all quit looking at my girlfriend like that. Only I get to see the goods...well, you know,” he said when they all raised an eyebrow.


“It wasn't an offer, it was for the game, you sickos,” she pulled Melissa's hand away from Joey's face and he gave her an innocent look. “You're too young for that, Fatone,” Rachel teased.


Joey chuckled and shook his head at her, taking a long pull of his beer as his girlfriend got up to play.


Melissa looked at the piece of paper in her hands. “You two better get this right if I'm drawing. We're losing by ten points,” she chided over her shoulder to them. They all had a buzz going, nothing bad, but it made it more funny with everyone trying to draw.


“Then quit talking and start drawing,” Joey said, wiping his hands on his pants, giving Chris a look before watching his girlfriend.


“Okay..” JC watched the stop watch, “go!”


Melissa drew a bouquet of flowers and a wedding dress, laughing at the suggestions Chris and Joey were throwing out.


“A wedding in drag!” Chris yelled, laughing, chinking his beer bottle against Justin's.


“It doesn't have to be a wedding you dumbass!” Joey said, wasting time. He could tell Melissa was getting aggravated as she kept drawing; he and Chris yelling out stupid answers until JC said time. She kept drawing and he watched her finish the picture, amazed even in 90 seconds that she could draw that well. “What was it?” he asked, waiting until Chris had the video camera out, putting a finger up to his lips as he pulled out a ring box.


“It was “Will You Marry Me” and I can't believe you two dopes didn't know...” Melissa chose that moment to turn around and her mouth dropped open, then she started shaking her head. “Oh my god, Joey,” she whispered, seeing him get down on one knee. “What are you doing?”


“What does it look like I'm doing?” Joey asked with a chuckle at her biting her bottom lip as he took her hand. He gave her a nervous smile. “I...” he looked at the guys and the camera blowing out a breath, then back at her. “I can't imagine anyone having a place in my heart like you do, bambina. You are my heart and know me like no one else does. I want to spend the rest of my life having a life with you. Marry me, Melissa Nicole Bass.” Joey opened the ring box and laughed through a few tears that managed to escape down his cheeks when she laughed. A strawberry ring pop sat in the box and he just shrugged.


“As you can see, Fatone went for the biggest rock he could,”Chris narrated, waiting for the answer.


Melissa smiled, wiping tears and started nodding. “Yes, Joey,”she told him, trying not to laugh, hugging and kissing him as Rachel got out her phone and snapped pictures. Her face was buried in his neck, laughing and crying at the same time when he moved, pulling out the real ring.


Joey held the diamond ring up. “Bambina,” he said softly, smiling when she looked and saw the ring. “Do you like it?” he asked, watching her nod.


“It looks old..but in a good way,” she said softly, watching Joey smile as he slipped it on her hand. She held her hand up and then kissed him hard on the mouth, hugging him once more.


Joey returned her affections and held her left hand, his thumb playing with the ring. “It came from Italy,” he told Melissa and the rest of their company who was watching and listening, giving them a small smile. “My grandfather asked my Nona to marry him with this ring. When she couldn't wear it anymore, it went around a chain until the chain broke almost seven years ago.” Joey swallowed hard, trying to hold back the emotion in his voice. “When I met my fiance...and then took her to meet my grandmother, Nona told me when I was ready to come get it for my soulmate,” he explained, not sure how to explain the tears and the smile on his face, threatening to stay there for the rest of his life.


The quiet was shattered when Chris let out a big whoop and congratulations, jumping off the couch to congratulate them, the video camera still going from it's sideways position on the couch. The rest of the group followed suit, with more congratulations and shots all around.


“You'll be my maid of honor right?” Melissa asked Rachel, hugging her tight.


“No, I think I'll be busy that day,” Rachel quipped, giving her a dirty look. “You better call your parents and tell them,” she studied the ring and pursed her lips. “What are you going to do with the other one?” she asked, referring to the ring pop. “It seems like a shame to let it go to waste.”


“I think I'll save it for the honeymoon.”


“I don't even want to know,” Rachel started, holding up her hands.


“You may not, but I sure as hell do,” Joey told her, coming up and slipping an arm around Melissa, pulling Chris over to him and slugging his shoulder affectionately. “I owe you one, man.”


Chris shrugged and shook his head. “You don't owe me shit. All you said I had to do was run the video camera and help you figure out what how you were proposing. All I wanna know is how many little girls hearts you're breaking.”


Joey shrugged. “They'll live, man. Long as I don't break this one's heart, I'm good.” He pulled his phone out of his pocket and took a picture of the ring on her finger and sent off the picture. “Nona finally got a cell phone, let's see if she remembers how to work it.” Joey's phone rang a few minutes later and he grinned, answering in Italian. He laughed after a moment then hung up.


“What did she say?” Melissa asked, smiling as Joey wiped his eyes once more, still laughing.


“She asked if this meant we'd grown up, then she wanted to know when she needed to call Italy and book the church. And she told me to tell you to not take advantage of my morals. ”


Melissa raised an eyebrow at him as the closest people around them burst out laughing. “I think it's a little late for that, don't you?”


“What Nona doesn't know, won't hurt her.”


Chapter 16 by DiamondDoss
“I like that one,” Melissa pointed out at the four rows of wedding dress pictures before glancing down at the clock in the corner of the computer screen. “You know JC's going to spaz if you aren't ready when he gets here, Joey!” she said loudly towards the rec room where she could hear Madden being played. There was no answer and she sighed, looking at Rachel. “The world could be ending and he'd never know it.”

Rachel nodded, saving the picture with some of the others as they scrolled down. Joey and Lance as well as the rest of NSYNC had an appearance and photo shoot to go to and would be busy, so the girls decided they would get together and hang out and look at wedding stuff. They looked a little bit more at a different site. “Do you even see anything you like?”

Melissa pointed out different elements of things she liked, but nothing in a whole dress yet. She heard the video game turn off and Joey's footfalls go to the hall bathroom.

“Bambina, where's my razor?”

“In the first drawer on the right of the sink,” Melissa called out, smiling when she saw a dress. “That looks like yours you wore to the AMA's. Only in white,” she observed.

Rachel clicked on the picture and then opened a new tab and typed in something. “Let's see if it is,” she told her friend, laughing when Joey asked another question about where something was. “He lives here, right?”

“He does, but after packing and unpacking a bag it's like playing hide and seek. I could make the upstairs bathroom into a hair care salon with all the stuff in it,” she chuckled. “And most of it is his,” she stage whispered as Joey came into the living room freshly shaven.

“What's mostly mine?” Joey asked, raising an eyebrow at his fiance before leaning over the back of the couch to kiss her. He'd trimmed up his goatee some and threw on some aftershave.

“Your John Freida hair care salon you're starting in the bathroom upstairs. Or is it Paul Mitchell?” Rachel teased him, earning a joking dirty look.

“Let's not talk about the shoes in the closet, shall we?” Joey said, snickering when Melissa turned a shade of red and stared at the computer screen. “What is it with women and shoes? You could have a hundred pairs and you still would go buy more.”

“It's just a woman thing,” Rachel pointed out, enlarging a picture. “Look at these two,” she told both of them. “Are they the same or not?”

Joey leaned over the couch, his arms across the back as his chin sat on Melissa's shoulder. “They look the same to me. I thought you didn't like that dress.”

Rachel rolled her eyes at Joey, letting out a small laugh. “I loved the dress, but it's just the situation that happened that made me hate it. Mel didn't tell you?” she looked questioningly at them as Joey shook his head. “Lance and I went to the party at the Ritz Carlton, the one you and Melissa skipped. Anyways, Lance had went to get us drinks and Will Ferrel came and hit on me. His eyes were glued to my breasts like he expected my top to magically slide off. I didn't like the douchebag before, so I really hate him now. So now whenever I look at my dress hanging in the closet I mentally shudder.”

Joey chuckled, nodding at her assessment. “What can I say? Men are stupid.” The look on his face clearly meant men other than him. He looked at the other page they had found and at Melissa as he stood up. “See a dress you like?” he asked, wondering if she was going to go all girly on him when they were getting married.

“I've seen some I like, but nothing in the 'I want to drag someone to the store and try one on' yet,” Melissa had been busy with work and school, trying to fit in now letting a photographer come take a few pictures of her and Joey for a piece to go on the group's official website, since the news had hit the week they'd gotten engaged. That had been a week and a half ago.

“Your appointment at the bridal store downtown is for this afternoon, so you better get to looking,” Rachel reminded Melissa, handing her the computer. Rachel had taken over the job of reminding her when stuff was, since she was more organized than her friend and the only thing Melissa and Joey had decided was that they were getting married between legs of the tour which was starting in a month. So there was roughly seven and a half months to plan a wedding.

“Don't look so stressed, bambina. You're marrying me,” Joey told her, planting a kiss to the side of her head when someone rang the doorbell. He went to answer it, letting JC inside before they both came back to where the girls were.

“In that case, I'm buying you a case of Aleve and a frying pan for a wedding present.” Rachel gave them both a big grin and shrugged before getting up to grab something to drink. Being around all of the guys brought out her sense of humor and as her eyes met JC's she figured it did something for her heart rate too. At least that's what she told herself, glad when her phone buzzed with a text from Lance. She smiled and replied, sending off the mushy sentiment. “What?” she asked Melissa who was sitting there with a silly grin on her face.

“Oh nothing. You just have a look on your face.”

“Shut up. I can't get the stupid one off yours. It's been on there so long I'll never come off. I think you have Joey-itis.”

JC caught on the tale end of the conversation and laughed. “So that's what that's called? I was wondering why she always has this drool on her chin,” he sat down beside Melissa and sideways hugged her.

“Very funny. I thought we had to go...” Joey looked at his watch and raised an eyebrow at JC.

“We can hang for a few more minutes,” JC told him, peering at the computer screen. “Ewww...wedding stuff. Have fun with that.”

“Thanks, Mister Buzzkill,” Rachel chided, “you're not getting married. All you have to do is show up and be happy for Joey and Mel and save me a dance.” Rachel gave JC a small smile and then went back to looking at the computer.

Melissa looked from Rachel over to JC who was watching Rachel intently as she clicked on stuff, not really staring at her, but just thinking.

“It's not the showing up part or anything like that. It's just...forget I said anything. I am stoked that Joey's taking the plunge. He's got more cajones than the rest of us.”

“Don't mind him,” Joey told Rachel, “he has relationship issues. 12 year olds keep getting his number and texting him asking if he'll marry them. He's changed his number about three times.”

“If you'd quit giving it out, I wouldn't have that problem,” JC ground out, glaring at Joey.

“Even had someone's mom call and ask if I'd come to the girl's birthday party. Then stay for a 'party' later with her.”

The girls burst out laughing and Melissa patted JC's face. “Poor baby..all you want is to be left alone.”

“Basically covers it. I want to be the un-Celebrity. I like doing my own thing with what little time I get. We all do,” JC said as Joey nodded in agreement.

The conversation continued until JC's phone rang and he got up, tugging Joey's shirt.

“I guess we're going now,” Joey said, getting up and pulling Mel up as well. “Have fun today,” he told her, knowing she wouldn't like going to try on dresses, but hoping she'd enjoy spending time with Rachel and their families that were going to be there, women on both sides.

“I'll try. Maybe we can go to dinner if you get done in time?” she suggested. “Some Chinese sounds good.”

“You know me too well. I was gonna ask if you wanted to go see Mr. Chow.” Joey kissed her lips and grinned. “Love you, Melly.”

“Love you too, Fatoney. You and Chris behave.”

Joey clutched his chest dramatically, giving her a wink. “We'll try. I'll call you later.”

"That ain't gonna happen," JC rolled his eyes at Joey's back. He gave the girls a smile and a wave, his eyes lingering on Rachel a moment before walking toward the door.

*^*^*^*^*^*

“This tour's gonna be a beast,” Melissa said to Rachel as they came to a stop light, on their way to meet Melissa's mother and grandmothers, along with Joey's mother and sister. “I'm sure the guys will be so much fun to live with the two weeks before the tour starts. That's when you never see them and they come home snapping and acting like assholes,” she rolled her eyes. “It's better once the tour starts, but I just stay out of the way when it gets close. At least we have a little while before that happens.”

“Yeah, and you'll be Mrs. Fatone,” Rachel pointed out, giving her best friend a huge smile. “You know you love hearing that,” she said laughing at the silly giggle Melissa gave. “Are you even going to hyphenate your name at all?”

Melissa cut her eyes to her best friend and pursed her lips into a 'yeah right' expression. “The
'Fatone' is gonna be bigger than my first name,” Melissa laughed as she dug out a piece of paper and a pen, quickly signing her name with Joey's last name.

“Your 'F” is backwards,” Rachel pointed out, shaking her head as Melissa snapped a picture of it. “If you were any weirder, I'd be calling you Joey. You're acting practically giddy...” Rachel smiled, excited for her friend to be so happy. “Now just act that way when we go to try on dresses.” She sent off a text to Lance. 'Your sister is already practicing her new signature. Save me!'

Melissa stuck her tongue out at Rachel as they pulled into the parking lot, “Thanks for doing all this Rach. And for being my best friend.”

“You're welcome. Now I just expect to hear no whining if you try on more than five dresses,” Rachel told her, looping her arm through Melissa's as the two girls went in to start the dress search. Rachel paused a moment when her phone buzzed, laughing at Lance's reply. 'Welcome to my world.'

*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“So, one of you is engaged, is that right?” The DJ asked NSYNC as they all chuckled and pointed at Joey. “Congrats, man...tell me about this girl.”

Joey smiled, “Ah well, her name is Melissa and we've been best friends for three-”

“Four,” Justin interrupted.

“Five,” Lance interjected, trying not to laugh.

“Years,” Joey finished. “We've known each other for five, best friends for three. And I realized that I'd been in love with her for awhile and we've been dating a few months. I figured why wait any longer to pop the question.”

“Did any of you know about it?” the DJ was clearly enjoying the interaction between the guys, watching Chris grin big.

“I knew about it, but I had to keep it a secret.”

“That's the only time you can keep a secret,” JC told Chris, listening to him sputter as they all started trading jabs.

“Joey's my best friend and Mel's my sister and I didn't even know anything. They're together all the time and it's just awesome to see them both so happy,” Lance said, garnering 'aww's' from the other four.
“I love you, man!” Joey said, pretending to get emotional and hugged Lance.

“Oh wow, we are feeling the love in here today as we hang out with NSYNC. Introduce the next song guys.”

“We're NSYNC,” the all said in unison, “and this next song is 'This I Promise You'.”

The song played as the guys talked to the DJ and amongst themselves. When the song was done, they went back on the air.

“So, all the fans want to know how you proposed Joey. Was it just the two of you or what happened? What kind of ring did you get your fiance?”

Joey ran a hand through his hair and smiled. “The ring was one my grandmother Nona gave me to give her. It was her first one from my Grandpa, it's from Italy so it's got a lot of sentimental value. And we were all over at Chris' house playing Pictionary in teams.”

“Joey can't draw worth a crap,” Justin said, “so we stuck him on a team with Chris and Mel.”

“Look who's talking, Vincent van Gogh,” Joey shot back, as they laughed. “Anyway, so when it was Melissa's turn, she grabbed the card I'd had made to look like the others that said 'Will You Marry Me?' as the subject. Chris and I guessed all sorts of stuff...”

“She was getting mad at the end,” Chris said, smiling. “We were throwing out stupid answers and Joey pulled out the ring box.”

“What did you guys think?”

“I thought Joey'd been abducted by aliens,” Justin interjected, punching Joey in the arm.

“It was great. Chris was videoing it and the look on Mel's face...She cried. Joey said some sentimental crap and she cried more,” JC told the DJ.

“It wasn't crap! I was being serious. If she's listening, she's gonna kick your butt, Josh.”

'Oooooo' came the chorus of the other three.

“So Lance, how will it be having Joey as a brother in law?”

“Well,” Lance smiled at Joey, affection in his voice for his friend, “it won't be much different other than my sister will get to move the rest of her stuff out of my house. Yay!” he cheered lightly as Joey shook his head.

“Okay so this last question is for all of you. Who's getting married next?”

The five of them all looked at one another before finger pointing started and jabs were being thrown, a real answer lost as they all started yelling.

The DJ laughed, not sure how to take them. “Well, you heard it here first on WROK the Rock. We've been talking to NSYNC. Tell them who plays the most NSYNC in the Orlando area.”

“WROK, the Rock of Orlando,” the all answered in unison before the mics were turned off, and they shuffled out towards the photo shoot.

“That went well,” Lance told Joey as they signed a few autographs for fans that had come to the back where they were going out, the security keeping them moving and things not too crazy.

“Let's just hope your sister's finding a dress,” Joey told him, scribbling his name and pulling a girl in so her Mom could take a picture.

“She'll have fun with it,” Lance tried to sound sure of his answer, but laughed at Joey's raised eyebrow. “Okay, Rachel will have fun making her try on stuff.”

“I'm surprised she hasn't called screaming yet that we're eloping,” Joey joked as they climbed into the van.

“She ain't gonna elope, man. Mel might hang out with us jackasses and act like a dork with Joey, but she's still a girl. She wants the dress and cake and shit. I bet she'll surprise ya dawg,” Justin told them, having heard what Joey said.

“And that was another installment of philosophy by Justin,” Chris said in his best tv personality voice as they all laughed, the van pulling away from the curb. “How did you get so smart?”

“I majored in women at the University of Timberlake,” Justin said smoothly, slipping his sunglasses on and smirking.

“Now I've heard it all,” Lance said, fiddling with his phone, listening to the conversations around him. He did hope his sister was having a good time and he fired off a message to Rachel. 'Hope it's going well, off to our photo shoot.'


*^*^*^*^*^

“I like this one,” Melissa said as she looked in the mirror at herself and then at Rachel as the sales lady, Ava, fluffed out the skirt and helped get everything looking just right.

“It's the first one, of course you'd like it. You'd say that just so you wouldn't have to try on anything else. I told you no whining,” Rachel grabbed the heels she'd found and thrust them at Mel. “Try on the shoes. You can wear them long enough to walk down the aisle.”

“No, I'll wear them long enough to break my neck and then I won't have to worry about walking down anything. Knowing my luck I'll get married in an ambulance on the way to the hospital as my bone is sticking out of my leg.”

“Very funny,” Rachel narrowed her eyes and shooed her towards the room where the other women were waiting.

They could hear talking and Melissa broke out into almost a run when she heard a particular voice. “That can't be...it sounds like,” she muttered to herself, stopping when she got to the room.

Sofia Fatone, all of a hundred pounds soaking wet, was sitting between Phyllis and Linda, talking to everyone and telling a story. She was dressed simply, in a sweater and slacks, with a bit of jewelry and didn't look like she was in her 80s. “Ah, bambina, you look bellisima.” Sofia got up and went to hug the younger girl, kissing her on both cheeks. “I told my grandson he could not tell you I was coming as a surprise.”

Melissa was touched that Sofia would come from New York just to be a part of the process of dress shopping. “I'm glad you're here,” she told her after giving her another hug, standing up on the pedestal that had three mirrors to show off the dress. It was a one shoulder strap dress that had a very gathered waist and flowed. It had a train, but it wasn't a very long one; one of Melissa's requirements. She wanted simple but something that could be embellished a bit. They'd found a sash that was covered in crystals and a few real diamonds, giving the dress a little more sparkle. “What do you think?” she asked, biting her lip as she turned to them.

“I give it a thumbs up,” Rachel said, taking a couple pictures. She didn't miss the look on her friend's face. That was the dress they were going to get, but she was going to make sure that they did look.

“Close your eyes,” Phyllis told Melissa, giving her a smile. “Now think of Joey and walking down the aisle towards him.”

Beside her, Linda sniffled and then Janine did. “I think that smile says it all,” Louise piped up when Melissa smiled and wiped tears quickly, handing out kleenex to all of them. “I think you could be wearing a paper bag and that boy would like it.”

Melissa let herself get lead back to the changing room to try on another dress, fingering the one she'd just tried on. “I want that one, Rach.”

“I know..just humor us and try on a few more. What fun is it if you don't try on dresses? I have to make you try on shit you by anywhere else. Now you have people waiting on you. Enjoy it...What's wrong?” Rachel noticed the panicked look on Melissa's face.

“What if Joey doesn't like it?”

“Holy hell, Melissa Nicole,” Rachel said, rolling her eyes. “He'd love you if you turned into Fiona from Shrek. Quit worrying and try on dresses.”

Five dresses later, Melissa found herself slipping the first one back on. She let Ava add a headpiece, but no veil and wiped a tear. “This is the dress I'm gonna wear to become Mrs. Joey Fatone,” she said quietly, sticking her tongue out at Rachel, who was wiping her eyes. “Who knew you were a sap, Rach?”

“I cry at movies and shit. Shut up,” Rachel told her, smiling. “Now that this is over, we can go look at stuff for the honeymoon.”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Joey grabbed his phone and chuckled at the picture. He bumped JC and showed him the signature. “So it begins,” he said, laughing when JC handed it off to Lance.

“I think she signs better than you do,” Lance told him and handed it off to Justin who was sitting there with his hand out.

“Yo dawg, her F is backward. She ain't even gonna sign Bass to nothin...gonna find Fatone spray painted on the yard.”

“She'll get it tattooed on her body,” Chris said as he looked then handed the phone back to Joey. “What are you gonna dance to for your first song?”

“Dunno, we haven't talked about it,” Joey told them. “Something classic I guess.”

“'Baby Got Back' is not classic,” Chris informed him as they all laughed, the discussion turning towards songs and weddings.

“Ya know, I don't think you've ever sang to my sister...I mean, you've sang to her while in the group, but never just to her in public,” Lance pointed out.

“I sing to her all the time,” Joey defended, blushing a little when the other guys asked. “It's private.”

“He has to serenade her to get some,” Justin teased, giving him a cheesy grin. “I don't see nothin wrong...with a little bump and grind..”

Joey laughed, shaking his head. “I don't care if she is Lance's sister, you aren't getting any details.”

“The thought of you naked is something I never ever hope to think about. What's all this talk about wedding songs, dawg?” Justin slid his arm around Joey. “We want to know about the bachelor party.”

“We want fun. We demand fun!” Chris told him, jumping on Joey's back playfully.

Ideas were tossed around from all of them, leaving Joey laughing hard. Strippers were out of the question, since he only wanted to see one girl naked, but he'd find something for them all to do. He had a bit of time to plan it out, firing off a text back to Melissa from her picture. 'Nice new last name, I think it's mine.' Joey laughed at the next message he got, one apparently from Rachel. It was all of the ladies on the couch giving him a thumbs up. 'Found THE dress.' It made him smile to see their families together, all of them happy. That was the plan.

“Okay guys, they're ready for you again,” one of the assistants called out, cutting off the conversation as they all got up.

Joey did as the photographer asked, crouching down beside Justin as Lance leaned down over behind him. “This shit needs to hurry up,” he muttered loud enough for Lance to hear.

“Why? You got a hot date?” Lance asked through his teeth, still smiling.

“Damn skippy.” Joey smiled and waited for the flash before moving. His mind wasn't on work. It was far from it, on a certain blonde. He let them fix his hair and change part of his clothes, getting individual shots of him and the rest of the guys. “Finally,” he muttered, getting in the car with JC, “take me home, Josh. As fast as you can.”

“Man, I hope when I find my soulmate, I don't act as mushy and whipped as you.”

Joey smirked as he looked over at JC, “I hope you act worse, Chasez. Cause it's the best fucking feeling in the world.”
Chapter 17 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
Hope you enjoy this chapter. it came in at a whopping 22 pages. LOL Working steadily on the next chapter. Loving all the reads and  reviews, woman. Would love to know what the other readers think of it.

Christmas was four days away. The month of December had flown by. When Melissa hadn't been studying and taking her finals she was deciding wedding plans with Rachel. Joey had radio interviews and photo shoots for the new upcoming tour and recording. When he wasn't busy with those, he was staying away from the wedding plans at the request of Rachel before she strangled him. All of his ideas for a Superman themed wedding had been vetoed, although Melissa was lobbying for a groom's cake with his beloved red 'S' on it.


The rest of NSYNC had went their own separate ways for Christmas to their respective hometowns to celebrate with family before coming back together for the after Christmas party with Justin and then the New Years Party at Joey and Melissa's. At the current time, the only two guys left in Orlando were Joey and Lance. The two of them were at Joey's house with their girlfriends, getting ready for a date night.


“You're messing up the hot chocolate,” Rachel scolded Joey as he played with the whip cream, putting it at the top of the steaming cup.


“You can't mess up hot chocolate,” Joey retorted, swiping his finger through it, offering it to Mel and grinning wickedly when she licked it off.


“Don't even start that shit or I'll take the treats and leave. Lance and I can watch movies at the house without you two sex fiends trying to undress each other,” Rachel told them, flipping her friend off when Melissa gave her the finger. “You're not my type, Mel.”


“I'm hurt,” Melissa feigned being sad, dishing out their food from Mr. Chow's and getting the desserts ready too so that they didn't have to get up after dinner. Rachel had spent the last couple of days baking goodies while Melissa had helped her bag them up and wrap them to give as gifts. It had been fun and now the leftovers were going to be enjoyed while they watched Christmas movies.


Lance was glad for a night to just hang out. The holidays were still busy but tonight would be just a quiet night in. Even though he wasn't at his house, this was almost as good as being there. Joey's house had always been the hang out spot and now with his sister there, he and Rachel were over more. He and Joey grabbed part of the food and took it over to the coffee table.


“It looks nice in here, man,” Lance told Joey, looking at the Christmas tree with all the decorations on it. He'd looked before but not really paid attention since it had been in the works for a week to get everything done from what Joey had told him. Lights twinkled and blinked and ornaments hung and there were some he recognized that had been his sister's when she was younger, along with a set of NSYNC ornaments. There was a star on top that twinkled, making the tree complete. There was also garland strewn around the fireplace mantle and stockings hung with a fire going.


“Thanks. Took longer than I wanted to get the tree up, but we got it done,” Joey told him, admiring the tree. There were presents under the tree and it felt homey and reminded him of when he was younger and his family would decorate. “I told Mel we didn't need the NSYNC decorations, but she insisted.”


“Excuse me, Mister Fatone,” Melissa bumped him a little as she came by, “you were all worried where yours was.”


“Busted!” Rachel told him, setting down the rest of the food with Melissa. “It's time to eat. Start the movies!” she cheered, excited.


“I vote Rudolph first,” Lance said, watching Joey fiddle with the DVD player before it came on. They had a stack of movies that was a good seven inches thick, the two couples compiling a movie list.


“Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer,” Joey sang, sitting down between Melissa and Lance. “Had a very shiny nose, and if you ever saw it-”


“You'd think he was related to Joe-y,” Rachel sang, laughing. “You know I love you Joey.” She thought of Joey much like she did Lance, like a brother. More so brother than Lance, since she had to think of him somewhat romantically so that they could keep up the boyfriend/girlfriend pretense.


Joey gave Rachel a dirty look and smiled. “Sure you love me. That's why I can't have anything with Superman on it in my wedding.”


“I didn't say that, I just said the wedding couldn't be Superman themed. Mel wouldn't tell you no, so one of us has to have the voice of reason,” Rachel pointed out, taking a bite of her fried rice.


The four of them ate and talked and laughed through the cartoon movie, singing along with the songs. The next movie was 'How The Grinch Stole Christmas', the new one with Jim Carrey playing the Grinch. The dishes had been cleared between movies, with new cups of hot cocoa and marshmallows sat on the coffee table, with both couples snuggling up together.


Lance had claimed the loveseat for him and Rachel, both of them stretched out on it with his arms around her, holding her comfortably. “You smell good,” he said, giving her a smile.


“Thanks. It's Vanilla Fields,” Rachel replied, leaning her head back on Lance's chest, enjoying the movie. It was nice to be able to have someone. Even if she and Lance were just friends, it didn't hurt her feelings at all that she could call him her boyfriend. They had a lot in common, more so than she thought they would. Rachel had found Lance something she thought he would love for Christmas, hating shopping but liked getting her friends things they would enjoy. It was one of the few presents she was excited about giving that was sitting under the tree at her parents house.


Lance's eyes were on the movie, but his mind was on Rachel. He wasn't going to apologize for being gay, but there were moments that made him sad he wasn't attracted to her more than he was. She'd make some guy a great girlfriend and more than that. He knew what he wanted from a partner and it sounded odd, but it was a lot of things he saw in Rachel. He'd been out scouring stores and had come up with a gift for her, hoping she liked it. Even though they'd argued back and forth about the holiday in general, that it was too commercialized and kids didn't know what the holiday really was about, they both enjoyed the ambiance and serenity of the holiday itself.


“I love you,” Joey whispered to Melissa, pulling her into him closer as the movie played, planting a kiss along the back of her neck. He didn't miss her shiver slightly, grinning. His lips grazed over the same spot letting his facial hair tickle her. “What?” he tried to put an innocent look on his face when she cut her eyes at him.


“Behave, Joey,” Melissa scolded, not sounding convincing at all, watching him grin at her and then his lips on hers. “Mmm,” she murmured, reaching around to his hair, letting her hand slide up to find the longer part and tug.


Joey kissed his fiance a few more moments and then broke it off. “That's all you get. You have to behave or Santa won't come see you.”


“Whatever, Fatone. I already got what I wanted for Christmas,” Melissa said softly, playing with his hair. “I love you too, by the way. I don't think I'll get tired of saying that.”


“And I won't get tired of hearing it.”


“I'm tired of hearing it,” Rachel countered, making them all laugh. “You two keep your hands where we can see them and no making out.”

Melissa stuck out her tongue at Rachel. “Spoil sport.”


“I'm not going to watch a movie with Joey's tongue shoved down your throat. You can have wild monkey sex after we leave for all I care, but you can behave a few more hours.”


“You said the wrong thing,” Lance muttered, chuckling. He let out a laugh when Joey let out a Tarzan yell in the middle of “Where Are You Christmas?”


“You realize your sister's marrying a guy who has a bear that says dirty sayings and idolizes a comic book hero right?” Rachel whispered, trying not to break out into giggles.


“There could be worse things,” Lance told her, grinning wider. “He could be a Backstreet Boy.”


“I heard that, Lancypoo.” Joey remarked, narrowing his eyes at his friend, his mouth curling up at a hint of a smile. “None of those yay-hoos compare to me.”

“Yes,” Rachel told Joey, leaning over to look at him from her spot on the loveseat, “thank God there's only one of you. The world couldn't take another.”


“I'd take another Joey,” Melissa said, laughing when Joey gave her a look.


“There's only one, bambina. I'm the original.”


“There's a pick up line...” Rachel laughed, rolling her eyes. “Joey, you really need to work on seducing a woman.”


Joey grinned back at her, “I'm like Sylvester Stallone and Don Juan all in one. I can seduce a woman just by looking at her.” Joey goosed Melissa's ribs, making her jump and grinned. “How do you think I got this one?”


“Dumb luck would be my guess,” Lance told him, making a yikes face at the both of them, ducking when a pillow flew at his head. “I was kidding!” he yelped when a pillow thwacked him in the mouth. “We've missed most of the movie...” he pointed out, making them stop and look at the ending credits.


“We'll start it over,” Joey told him, moving to get up to head towards the bathroom.


“If you shake it more than once you're playing with it,” Rachel yelled towards the hallway, snickering when Joey harrumphed. She stopped for a minute, listening. “What is he singing?”


“I'm dreaming of a white Christmas, just like the ones I used know,” his baritone voice echoed from the bathroom, deeper than his usual voice. Joey grinned as he heard them all laugh. He washed his hands and wandered back into the kitchen, snagging a covered pretzel. “So, another movie?”


The other three agreed and re-started The Grinch. Halfway through it, Rachel and Lance had a blanket over them and were sacked out. Joey and Melissa were curled up, soft snores coming from Joey while Melissa laid her head on his chest. Her eyelids were getting heavy, but she smiled at the scene. This was what she loved most about the season. Getting to be with her friends and family. It made all of the craziness the rest of the year worth it. The last thing she remembered was 'You're a mean one, Mister Grinch...”


*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^


“Melly, we gotta go woman. We'll be late,” Joey hollered at the bathroom door. He was in a button up shirt and tie and dress pants, glancing at his watch again. He smiled, watching the 'S' flash as he looked at it. It was heavy and felt good on his wrist, the Superman logo only coming up when it was bent just right. He'd not made too much of a fuss at his fiance when she insisted that he opened one of his presents early, the look on her face making him relent. It would go in his 'man box' as Melissa called it, where his Superman necklaces and a few other man jewelry items went. His diamond stud that he was wearing now in his left earlobe. His gaze went to the door when it opened and he smiled. “Ready?”


“Yeah, my hair didn't want to cooperate,” Melissa said, looking him over, straightening out his collar in the back. “You look nice...smell nice too,” she observed, blowing a kiss at him so she didn't get lipstick on him. She had on a knee length cap sleeved red dress with a black shrug and some black flats on. Melissa had straightened her hair and put on some make up, wanting to look good for midnight service at the church. “Let's go, Fatone.”


Joey put his hand on the small of her back as he let her lead the way to the car, opening the door for her. “You look beautiful, bambina. Have I mentioned that?” He grinned at her, loving it when she bit her lip and blushed. It made him feel ten feet tall that he could make her blush with just a few words.


Melissa got in and shrugged. “Not in the last hour or so. But I remember you saying something about it earlier. Or was it something along the lines of 'A little faster, bambina..You're so beautiful when you're on top...',” Melissa laughed when he snorted and waited until he was in the car to continue. “Of course there was earlier than that, when I was trying to burn the kitchen down..I mean, cook dinner.” Melissa made a face as Joey chuckled and took her hand. She wound her fingers into his as he pulled out of his neighborhood. “You still love me when I'm mad.”


“Of course. No one yells at a pan of burnt chicken like you do, Mel. And you were beautiful then too as you threw it in the trash.”


Melissa laughed, looking over at Joey. “I can't wait to marry you, ya know. So we can fight about all the fun married stuff. Money, bills, where the furniture should go. If you really need that ninety inch television in the man cave...” a smile played on her lips as Joey kissed the back of her hand.


“We won't fight. At least not over stupid stuff,” Joey told her as they drove towards the church, looking at the lights and other decorations. He pulled in a few minutes later and waved to Janine and David. “We'll fight about big important things...like if we should go to sleep or watch another episode of Fear Factor.” He grinned when she rolled her eyes, both of them getting out of the Range Rover.


“Merry Christmas!” Janine pulled her brother and Melissa into a big hug. It wasn't overly cold in Orlando, but cool. “You two look great,” she let them go to let her husband greet them before they all walked in together.


For being a midnight service, the church was full. A manger scene was at the front, as well as garland and lights twinkling with the candles lit. Joey and Melissa slid into a pew with the rest of the Fatones, feeling the holiday spirit come over them as the crowd hushed and the service began.


Melissa and Joey enjoyed the church service with his family, standing around talking afterward as they got some hot cider and finger foods, wishing others a Merry Christmas.


“You're coming for lunch tomorrow, right?” Joe Senior asked Melissa, watching her nod. “Good. That way you'll be able to enjoy your morning with Joey. I'm sure he'll wake you up at six in the morning.”


Melissa laughed and looked over at Joey who was talking to David and Steven. “He's never failed to get me up early, even when he's been a few time zones away.” Melissa thought back to when the guys were in Europe and couldn't come back for Christmas. It had been around three in the morning when Joey had called to wish her a Merry Christmas. They'd stayed up talking for a few hours and opened their gifts to each other over the phone before she'd told him she was going back to bed. Joey was always excited about the holiday, not wanting to miss anything.


On the way home, the two of them talked about Christmas and Justin's party the next day. “We're all flying to Memphis..the plane will leave around two,” Melissa told Joey, looking at her phone and the message she'd gotten from Justin about the party plans. “I wonder if he's alright,” she said more to herself, but caught Joey's look of concern. “He just has seemed a bit not himself lately. I meant to ask him about it, but never got the chance.”


“Justin's moody,” Joey told Melissa as he got on the interstate. “We all are, but he takes things differently. It's the genuis in him...I get mad and curse in Italian and then I brood about it. Lance will want to be left alone, JC withdraws and gets snippy, Chris acts even more outrageous and Justin will get quieter and then let his emotions out in song. It's scary, but cool, to watch. His dance moves always get better.”


Melissa nodded, listening to Joey's assessment of them all. He was right. They were a group, but they all reacted differently to things. “I'll wait til later to ask though. Right now I have more important things to think about,” she gave Joey a sly smile as she put her hand on Joey's knee that was closest to her, giving it a squeeze as her palm slid up his leg to his thigh and over towards the crotch of his pants, not quite getting there before stopping.


“What sorts of things would those be, bambina?” Joey asked, shifting a little in the driver's seat, groaning when her hand where it had intended to his crotch. “I was gonna suggest we call Lance and see if they were still partying, but that just got vetoed.”


“It did? Why?” Melissa smirked at Joey as she cupped his package, shifting around in her seat to lean over and kiss Joey's neck. She loved teasing Joey like this, stopping just long enough for him to get through the gate before she nipped his ear. “Joey,” she whined when he suddenly turned his head and kissed her hard on the mouth after getting the Range Rover just into the driveway before parking it. Melissa felt Joey's hand feel around for her seat belt and get it off before pulling her more to him, his mouth still on hers.


Joey finally broke off the kiss when he needed air, his eyes focused on her. He smirked at her hair, now messy and her lips swollen, both of them breathing hard. “Let's get inside before we get arrested,” he suggested, pulling her face back to him for a quick kiss, grunting when her fingers found his hair. “Behave,” he mumbled, kissing her jawline as she played with his hair. A growl came from him when she pulled hard. “Inside, Melly...”


Melissa smiled at Joey and his finger pointing towards the door. “You mean you don't want to go to bed and sleep or open presents?” she asked innocently as they went in, trying not to get more worked up as Joey's body was pressed up against hers as he opened the door then shut it. Her arms went around Joey's neck when he cornered her at the door, her eyes shut when Joey's lips found her collarbone. “You're seducing me, Fatone.”


“That's the point...” Joey stopped long enough to pull her sweater off, tossing it towards the end table by the couch. His fingers ran along her skin, up to the sleeves of her dress and back down over the fabric in the front. He knew he'd gotten somewhere when Melissa's head fell back against the wall and her back arched, one of his hands getting a handful of breast while the other was holding her. “Tell me what you want, Melly.”


“I want you,” Melissa told him, reaching for his tie and undoing it to slip it off over his head, then started in with the buttons on his shirt. Once Joey's shirt was open, her mouth caressed his skin along his chest and downward. She breathed in his scent, as she went back up, her eyes meeting his. Joey's eyes were a darker brown, smoldering almost when he looked at her. “Take me to bed, Joey.”


Joey shook his head, smirking at her confused look. He grabbed a blanket off the couch and laid it down. “We can go to bed later, bambina. I want to make love to you right here,” he told her, pulling her to him and holding her for a moment. The tree gave off enough light to see and Joey thought this was about the most perfect Christmas he'd ever had. All the sentimental thoughts went out his head when Melissa's fingers found his belt buckle on his pants, giving her a slight smile. “I love you,” he said, biting his lip when her hand slipped inside his pants to his underwear, rubbing and stroking him.


“I love you,” Melissa replied in turn, continuing to get him undressed, their clothes piled haphazardly in the floor. It was a back and forth of who was in control, until she found herself underneath Joey, his body pressed against hers. “What are you thinking?” she asked him when he stopped and was staring at her, a silly little smile on his face.


“I'll make love to you like you want me to and I'll hold you tight, all through the night,” Joey sang softly, chuckling when she blushed and pulled his face to hers. “Well that wasn't quite what I was thinking...” his voice trailed off in a groan as she yanked his hair hard.


Melissa used her legs to pull Joey's hips more into hers, leaving him enough room to put himself inside her. “Joey,” she gasped as he entered her, his lips nibbling hers.


“Mel,” Joey countered, shutting his eyes when he felt how wet she was for him, that she was his and he could look forward to having her for the rest of his life. He would know every way possible to make her want him, to seduce her. His resolve to make it last waned when she started winding her fingers through his hair. 'Hair sex' as Justin had put it, was Joey's undoing. He growled every time she yanked, gauging how fast or hard he should be going by how she was pulling. That and the sound of his name on her lips. “Bambina,” Joey grunted, reaching up and taking her hands from his hair to put them at his shoulders. He shuddered a little when her fingernails dug into his shoulders and then his back.


“Joey..oh baby, oh Joey,” Melissa's eyes were screwed shut as her body shuddered underneath him, an orgasm bringing her over the edge. She was breathing hard, her voice raspy telling him to keep going. Melissa played with Joey's hair; messing it up more before reaching down between their bodies to touch herself and him.


Joey's eyes rolled back in his head a little when he felt her hand on him and then herself. “Fuck,” he muttered, pulling her legs up higher, grinding against her, wanting to make sure they were both completely satisfied and worn out when this was done. His dick twitched and he growled when he felt her tighten up again. He'd tried not to be a screamer, but he couldn't help it, getting louder the closer he got to orgasm. His whole body convulsed as he came hard, yelling Melissa's name. He held himself up on shaky arms on top of her, nuzzling her neck. They were both sweaty and panting, a goofy smile on their faces. “Merry Christmas, bambina.”


Melissa chuckled and kissed Joey's cheek. “Merry Christmas, Fatoney.”


*^*^*^*^*^*

Joey laid in bed, watching the woman beside him sleep. They'd went to bed a few hours ago and here he was awake. He should be trying to go back to sleep but he didn't want to. It wasn't because of the holiday, though that was exciting in itself. He was awake letting his mind wander over how much his life had changed that year. Maybe to others it wouldn't be so much, but having his best friend become his lover and future wife made Joey feel he'd never want for anything again. His eyes caressed her skin, her hair falling over her shoulder. He reached over and pulled her closer to him, her head falling to his shoulder.


“Joey,” Melissa mumbled, not really awake.


“Yes, bambina?” he said softly, waiting to see if she talked again or fell back asleep. When he heard nothing after a few moments, he smiled and closed his eyes, letting out a deep sigh.


“Sing to me.”


Joey's eyes popped open and he rolled over to spoon with Melissa. “Sleep, bambina.”


“Just one verse..please, Fatoney,” Melissa asked, still not really awake, but wanting to hear his voice anyways.


Joey thought for a moment, his mouth next to her ear. “I've loved you forever, in lifetimes before. And I promise you never, will you hurt anymore. I give you my word, I give you my heart, this is a battle we've won, and with this vow forever has now begun.” He smiled at her, now asleep again with a smile on her face.


*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Rachel handed Lance a package with a big bow on it. She smiled, watching him shake it, like he'd done with every other package. “Sorry, it's not an exploding one,” she told him, looking around the living room. There was still a pile of packages under the tree, ones that were going to friends and family after they had their Christmas with each other. Lance was still in the shirt he'd slept in and shorts, while Rachel was in her sleep clothes also.


Lance opened the package and then looked at Rachel, then back at the package. “Are you shitting me?” he asked, a huge grin spreading on his face. He held up the picture of Buzz Aldron and Neil Armstrong that was signed, along side the one of the Apollo ship that took them to the moon. There was a certificate of authenticity in there. “This is awesome, Rach.” Lance put it on the couch and got up and pulled her to him in a hug, kissing her on the lips.


“You're welcome,” Rachel told him, delighted that he liked it so much. His face lit up like a kid when he talked about space travel, telling her of his plans to go into space with one of the missions after everything with NSYNC. “I vote we call up people and see who wants to go to breakfast after we get ready,” she suggested, knowing that Denny's was open.


Lance nodded, fingering the necklace he'd gotten her, the diamonds in it sparkling. “I think yours sort of made mine lackluster,” he said, giving her a smile.


“Whatever, Bass. I wouldn't have gone and gotten myself a new cell phone. I was gonna use my old one til it quit. And my awesome leather laptop case...the necklace was just the bling. Diamonds are a girls best friend ya know...” Rachel gave him a peck on the cheek, “I loved it.” She looked over at his things she'd gotten him besides his picture. “You gonna wear your new clothes?”


“Hell yeah,” Lance replied, holding her close a moment longer. “Thanks, Rach. For everything...I'm glad you agreed to do this.”


“Me too, Lance. It makes me believe I can find someone like you out there...like one of those songs you sing,” Rachel messed up his hair. “Call your almost brother in law and sister while I get in the shower.” She pulled out of Lance's arms and gathered up her stuff before taking it to Melissa's room and grabbing clothes. No one would ever know it, but Rachel mostly slept in Melissa's bed when she came over to spend the night. It wasn't that she and Lance didn't snuggle, or spend time together, but there was nothing going on. And she felt more comfortable keeping things that way.


*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^


“Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays,” Melissa sang to her brother as she snuggled more into Joey's arms. They had yet to open presents, just spending time enjoying the quiet morning and watching the fire flicker in the fireplace. The television was muted on with “A Christmas Carol” playing.


“What are you and Joe doing?” Lance asked, smacking his head. “Forget I asked that, I don't want to know.”


Joey chuckled, bringing the phone to his mouth, “You wanna know or you wouldn't ask,” he grinned wickedly at Melissa, “Baby, keep going just like that...yes..”


Melissa laughed and took the phone back, “Ignore him, he had too much spiked apple cider,” she squealed when Joey grabbed her and started tickling. “What do you want?” she asked between giggles, trying to wiggle out of Joey's lap.


“I was going to ask y'all to come eat breakfast at Denny's, but it sounds like you're busy,” Lance told her. He heard a muffled sound and his sister's voice whispering to Joey.


“We still need to get ready,” Melissa told her brother, making a face as Joey licked her hand while it was clamped down over his mouth. “I'll text you when we're on our way.”


“Love you Mel. Merry Christmas,” Lance told them, shaking his head as he hung up. He knew for sure nothing would ever be boring having Joey as his brother in law.


Melissa gave Joey a dirty look as she took her hand off his mouth. “I don't know where your tongue has been.” She raised an eyebrow as he pulled her down underneath him.


“Oh Melly, you know that's a lie,” Joey whispered, kissing her. “How long do we have?”


“Not long enough, Joey..we still haven't even opened gifts.”


“Eh, we can come home and open them. Might be better that way. If I let you open them now, you won't let me leave the house.” Joey grinned at her and kissed her once more before getting up and holding his hand out to take hers. “Oh wait..there is one thing,” he said, going to her stocking, “close your eyes.” Joey waited until she did what he asked, grinning. He pulled out the box with a bow on it and put it in her hands.


Melissa looked at the box and then at Joey. “What did you do?” she asked, watching him trying not to grin as she slipped the bow off and open the box. Her mouth dropped open and she stared at the necklace. The whole thing sparkled and the two pear shaped diamonds hung off the end of their individual strands from the 'knot' formed in the necklace that had diamonds in it as well. “Joey...” her eyes met his and she wasn't sure what to say.


“If I knew diamonds would shut you up, I'd have bought a truckload,” he teased, laughing when she just stuck her tongue out at him. “Promises, promises Melly.” Joey helped her put it on, looking down at it twinkling back at him. “Do you like it?” he asked, hoping she did. He'd seen it and thought of her, knowing she loved things like that but wouldn't ever go spend the money on herself.


“I love it, Joey. Thank you,” Melissa wrapped her arms around his waist and sighed happily when his arms went around her. “Santa ain't got shit on you, Fatoney.”


“Good to know I beat a fat man in a red suit. You hear me Santa?” Joey yelled, his fist shaking at the ceiling. “I have defeated you! HA!” He laughed when Melissa broke out into giggles. It made him laugh and five minutes later found both of them wiping tears.


“Joey Fatone, lover of Superman and Italian food, defeater of Santa Claus and singer in NSYNC. What a resume,” Melissa said, collapsing in a fit of laughter once more.


Joey barked a laugh and shook his head as he helped her up, both of them still chuckling as they went to get ready. If this was how the morning was going, the rest of the day promised to be one of those where his cheeks and stomach would hurt from smiling and laughing so much. He'd take that any day. Grinning, Joey turned the water on in the shower. “Pour some sugar on me,” he sang, loud enough for Melissa to hear from the bedroom.


“No thanks, it attracts ants and you aren't hot enough to melt it.”


“You wound me, Melly,” Joey retorted, singing anyways and grinning when she slipped in the shower with him. “I'm not talking to you. I get you diamonds and you insult me.”


“Says the man with a naked woman in his shower that loves him more than anything.” Melissa purposely shook her hips a little as she turned around to grab the shampoo. She let Joey's hands wander over her body before smiling. “We're going to be the worst newlyweds ever,” she told him, “ Late to everything.”


“I plan on being late for at least twenty five years or so.”


*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

The rest of Christmas day was filled with food, family and fun. Families were intermixed and mingled, and by the time Rachel and Melissa met up again at the Bass house, they collapsed on the couch and leaned on one another.


“I think I'm going to be sick,” Mel groaned, her eyes traveling to Joey who was munching on some snack. “You're eating again, Fatone? Jesus...” she yelled, watching Joey just shrug. “I swear he's eaten nine thousand calories today. I don't care, but...god..”


Rachel made a face, nodding. “Too much pumpkin pie. And someone made homemade Reeses cups at my parents. One of my aunt's I think...And turkey and dressing. Did you know Lance loved that green jello stuff..Green fluff.”


“He'll steal the damn bowl and eat it,” Melissa snickered and pointed out her brother who was sneaking a plate of it.


“That's your fifth helping in three hours,” Rachel said loudly, with Lance pretending to look around as if Rachel wasn't talking to him. “You know you hear me...” she laughed when he ignored her.


“I heard someone talking,” Joey said, taking a bite of a cookie and then looking at it. “Whoever made these, we want these at our wedding!” he announced loudly, causing the women to laugh that were immediately around him, grinning at his fiance, who just made a face at him still eating. He didn't care. He'd burn it all off in a couple days. They weren't on a diet, but they did watch more of what they ate while rehearsing and touring.


“How was your Christmas, man?” Lance asked Joey, both of them wandering into the den where most of the other men were sitting around watching football.


“It was great. Gotta go home and open presents. Some punk called us and asked us to go eat this morning.”


“Shut the hell up,” Lance laughed at Joey, “my sister agreed. No one told you to take your time getting ready...”


“The force is strong with that one,” Joey said, giving him an innocent look. “She's all over me. I have to beat her off of me to get sleep.”


“I feel so sorry for you, Joe. My heart's bleeding.”


“Whatever,” Joey ate the last of his cookies, “just for that, tomorrow I'm kicking your ass in bowling.”


“I bet you twenty on that.” Lance and Joey shook hands before sitting back to watch the game. “Merry Christmas, bro.”


“You too, Bass.” Joey heard the laughter of women and wondered what was going on in there. He'd heard that everywhere they'd gone, once the men were ensconsed in a different room with sports or some other activity, the laughing would start. “What do you think they're talking about?” he asked no one in particular.


“With women, when they start laughing, it's usually about us. You learn to tune it out unless it comes with the words, 'Honey, I need to borrow your Mastercard,” James Bass informed Joey, the rest of the men agreeing. “And if they say that, it's usually best to say 'Yes, dear' and hand it over.”



Chapter 18 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
My beta, jr88freak, and I named this chapter the novella. It came in with edits a whopping 26 pages. Bring your sense of humor and your tissues as well. Thanks for reading, I would love more reviews. It is nice to hear what readers think.  Love to you all.
“Chicas!” Justin called out when he saw Rachel and Melissa walk through the doors of the bowling alley he reserved for the party. He'd pulled them away from Lance and Joey, ignoring the men's protests. There were quite a few people there already, some family, a lot friends. All were ready to have a good time and celebrate the holiday. Music was already blaring from the overhead speakers as guests gathered around, mingling “Did you miss me?” he asked, kissing them both on the cheek. He didn't care who saw him, ignoring Joey's protest. “I ain't kissin' you dawg. Sorry.”

“Keep your lips off my woman, Justin!” Joey yelled at him, nodding to a couple people he knew.

“Go find your own,” Lance stifled a laugh as Justin made a big showing of kissing Melissa, which caused Joey to spout off.

“Hi, Justin,” Rachel told him, accepting his affections and hugging him back. “How was your Christmas?” she asked when she stepped back, Lance coming up beside her. She gave him a smile and noticed out of the corner of her eye the final two members of the group, JC and Chris, entering the alley. She wiggled her fingers at Chris and JC when she saw them making their way towards where they stood.

“It was fuckin' epic. How was yours? I see you both scored some bling,” Justin said as he greeted Joey and Lance, which was a cluster of hand slaps, one armed hugs and backslapping which only grew when Chris and JC joined them.

“It was good,” Rachel told him, laughing at the disjointed-ness of their conversation, making her way to JC since Melissa and Chris were hugging like they'd not seen one another in a year. “Really?” she laughed at the two of them.

“Ignore Chris. He's had way too much caffeine between the airport and here,” JC told Rachel giving her a dazzling smile before pulling her into a hug. He knew he couldn''t let the hug linger too long, but he was glad her hair was long enough to allow him to give her a light squeeze, just enough to be more than a hug. “Merry Christmas. How are you, Rach?” he asked after letting her go.

Rachel was thankful she'd already had a smile on her face or it might have looked suspicious for her to smile more, still standing close to him; accepting a hug from Chris next. “I'm good, JC. How was your Christmas?”

“It was good,” JC told her, pulling Melissa to him in a sideways hug. “Not long enough as usual. Didn't get enough sleep.”

“I think you could sleep for a week and say that, man,” Joey came up on the other side of Melissa and slapped JC's hand in greeting. The five guys and two girls all talked for a bit before Justin found a microphone. Clearly he was the host of the party, grinning at the whistles and cheers he was garnering when he got up on the bar that ran along the divider between where the bowling lanes were and the carpeted area that had the concession stand and pool tables and other games.

“What the fuck is up, people?” Justin yelled, causing even more ruckus. “Thanks for coming out to be here. I know you didn't want more damn turkey or to sit and watch re-runs,” he said, walking along the bar, making sure not to trip over anyone's drink. “This is just for all of us to have fun and mingle, make new friends, see old friends. But...I would ask that if you bowl, if you play pool, hell, if you go take a piss, take a minute to throw some cash in one of the big jars you'll see..” Justin pointed to them, being held up. “I always party with a purpose, and this year it's going to help the Memphis and Orlando Boys and Girls Clubs respectively. So if you'll do that, we'll all be golden. And one more thing. Give a big hand to Steve and all the other flunkies working tonight. I love you guys! All the food and beverages have been paid for, so all you gotta get is your shoes and it's twenty bucks a person to bowl until you drop. Ten of it goes in the jar, so you can't be a stingy bastard.” Justin grinned, hopping down. “One more piece of business,” he said, walking towards Melissa and Rachel, his grin growing.

“What are you doing, Timberlake?” Melissa whispered, trying to hide behind Joey, who was pulling her off him and grinning.

“Rumor has it you're throwing some type of New Year's party, chica,” Justin said, pulling her out into the middle of one of the bowling lanes. “This is Melissa. Lance's little sister...she's hopelessly in love with that guy named Joey..Anyways, tell everyone what the theme is.”

Melissa glared at Justin, hating to be the center of attention. “Grease..Why?”

“I just thought it would be funny as hell to get you out here. Rach, come out here too,” Justin said, clearly enjoying the two girls being embarrassed.

“I will cut off your hair while you sleep,” Rachel whispered to Justin as she stood on the other side of him. She glanced over at Lance and JC, wondering why they had smiles on their faces.

The two girls looked at Justin, wondering what he was up to. They heard encouraging yells from over where the rest of the NSYNC entourage had sat, figuring out this was a set up. Rachel mouthed, 'dead' to Melissa, who nodded.

“So...you've been to concerts. Backstage, on tour, at practice, yadda yadda. Me and the guys wanted to know though, what the fuck is up with imitating us?” Justin asked, smiling at the lost look on their faces. “We wanted to see it for real.”

Melissa's eyes widened when she realized what Justin wanted. She and Rachel used to blast the upbeat songs and do the dance moves as exercise. It was the best workout she could find, and it took them a while to get it right. She hadn't counted on the guys coming home either as Bye Bye Bye was pounding the speakers. “Sleep with one eye open, buddy..you'll be singing Chris' part.”


Rachel started shaking her head no, but then stopped. It was all in fun...she'd done the dance moves enough that she knew them in her sleep. She and Mel could best Justin at his own game. “Fine, Justin, play Bye Bye Bye,” she told him, listening to the cheers, nodding at Mel.

“Holy shit, they're gonna do it,” Lance murmured, watching his sister and girlfriend laugh and get in place as Justin stood there when the music came on. He'd figured they'd both bow out, but his grin grew wider as they mouthed the words, dancing almost better than NSYNC themselves.

“Don't wanna be a fool for you, just another player in your game for two..” Melissa and Rachel had smiles on their faces, enjoying seeing the surprised looks on the guy's faces.

“Fuck, I'm going out there,” Joey told Justin, getting up before the chorus started, falling in line behind the girls, garnering more screams and camera flashes. He wasn't going to miss out on the opportunity to do this, especially to see her and Rachel have this much fun. “You guys are a bunch of pansies,” Joey hollered at the other four, bringing them all out there.

JC grinned at Rachel as Justin sang with the song, watching her laugh at how silly they were all being. He was impressed that they both accepted Justin's challenge and was honestly surprised at how good they were. “How long have you practiced that?” he asked as they all bowed.

“Took us about a month to learn it and It's Gonna Be Me,” Rachel told him, breathing a little harder and wiped a bead of sweat off her face. “That's all we did for exercise every day for a couple of hours,” she explained, taking a water from Justin.

“You kicked major ass,” Lance told her, pulling her in for a quick kiss when they went to sit down and start putting in names for bowling. “I'm on Rachel's team. Joey has to be on the other team, we had a bet.”

“How much did Justin lose by us dancing?” Rachel asked, fist bumping Melissa as she was saying something to Chris.

“Four benjamins,” Justin answered, a grin on his face as he sat down. “You all set me up. But what the fuck do I care? That was awesome.”

“I think Joey just joined in to look at my ass,” Melissa said, messing up Joey's hair.

“I was helping out, Bambina,” Joey told replied, winking at her. He slipped his fingers through hers, leaning over to kiss her cheek. “You got some moves, Melly.”

“Me and Rach are just awesome. We roll that way.” Melissa smiled at him rolling his eyes.

“Geez, now it starts,” Lance said, getting up and grabbing a ball. He smiled at Rachel. “How big is your ego?”

“Well, since we bested mister superstar, it's pretty damn big,” she pointed a finger at Joey and Melissa, “we'll take you two on. Bass and Weatherly against the two of you.”

“It's on,” Melissa told Rachel, laughing at Chris who was putting in names. “What the hell is that?” she asked as he laughed. Melissa watched as Chris asked Joey how to spell his last name, laughing at Joey's phonetically correct pronunciation, adding it to her first initial

“Just getting used to seeing it,” Chris told them, “What? You get that goofy grin on your face. All we have to do is mention Joey,” Chris laughed when Melissa's face turned red and she blushed, hiding her face in Joey's shoulder.


“It’s quite disgusting,” Rachel made a face, ducking to the left into Lance when a shoe came flying at her. She grabbed the bright yellow and orange bowling shoe and raised an eyebrow at her best friend. She made a point to look down at her friend’s shoeless foot. “I should launch this down the lane and watch as you fall on your ass to get it.”

Melissa stuck her tongue out at Rachel. “This is nothing worse than what you did back in our sophomore year with-” she let out a yelp as the shoe came flying back at her with a little more force than she threw it with.

“Give me this,” Joey snatched the shoe away from Melissa and proceeded to put it on his fiancée’s foot. “Before you two end up hurting someone.”

“What did you do your sophomore year?” Lance asked interested.

“Nothing,” Rachel said, shooting a glare in Melissa’s direction as she laughed. “Your body will never be found,” she threatened.

Melissa laughed in response shaking her head as the guys tried to get her to spill. “No way.”

“Don’t worry,” Joey said, “I have ways. I’ll get it out of her.” He grinned.

“Not this time Fatone,” Melissa stood up, moving her feet around in the shoes. “She means business. She’s threatened more than once to put me on one of her grandfather’s oil rigs in the middle of the ocean.”

“Keeps her in line,” Rachel grinned when the guys shot her a questioning look. Her eyes widened when she caught the names Chris had imputed in the bowling score card. R.W. Bass.

“What is that?” she nudged Lance and pointed to the screen.

“I stopped trying to understand some of the things Chris does a long time ago,” Lance slipped his arm around her shoulder, settling her closer to his side. He let himself lean into her and she rested her hand on his thigh. It was crazy, sometimes, how easily they slipped into the couple persona.

“Sometimes I wonder if they weren’t dropped on their heads when they were little,” Rachel pointed to where Mel, Joey and Justin where dancing to ‘Cotton-Eyed-Joe’ that had come over the speakers.



“I told Mom she just felt bad for Mel and adopted her instead of leaving her in the woods to be raised by wolves,” Lance replied, slapping at his sister who reached for his hair. “Mess with Joey's hair.”

“You bum,” Melissa finished her jig and sat down next to him, “if you didn't have me, what would you do?” She leaned on Lance's shoulder, smiling up at him.

“I'd have less headaches,” Lance shifted his arm, wrapping it around his sister's shoulders.

“Say cheese!” Justin called to them, snapping a picture when the three of them looked up at him smiling.

“Amen,” Rachel seconded, laughing. “Besides, if we didn't have you Mel, Joey might almost be normal.”

“Burn!” JC yelled, coming back from getting a strike. “Read it and weep ladies and gents. I am in the lead.”

“He is JC, hear him roar!” Chris announced, getting up next, along with Lance on the other side on their lane.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
“I can't bowl anymore, my arm's gonna fall off,” Rachel told Chris, Lance and Justin, surprised they'd already bowled four games already. “I'm gonna go find Mel.” She leaned in and kissed Lance's cheek as he talked strategy with Justin's friend Trace about some sports thing.

“I'll find you when we're done with this game,” Lance told her, returning the kiss and giving her a smile. He watched Trace follow Rachel with his eyes as she walked off. He didn't dislike Trace, but Trace was one of those guys who liked to flirt a little too much for his liking.

“So, you and her, huh? How'd ya get so damn lucky?” Trace asked, the tone of voice sounding a little teasing, but not mean.

“Not sure. It just sort of happened,” Lance told him, laughing at the 'awwww' Chris gave. “She's one in a million.” Lance watched Rachel sit down on a stool next to Melissa, smiling at them laughing. He was so glad his sister had Rachel as a friend, thinking back to when she first invited Rachel over. The two of them had laughed and giggled and driven him crazy. And ever since then, it hadn't changed much other than now they were all grown. Lance thought about Melissa getting married and hoped someday it was in the cards for him, albeit very different. His eyes went back to Rachel before focusing back on his friends, trying to join back in their conversation, not wanting to think ahead to much on things that hadn't happened yet. Things he wasn't ready to go through. It would all happen in due time, and now he just wanted to focus on the next few days and the fun that was going to happen.

*^*^*^*^*^

Joey heard the knock on his door and went to answer it, letting in Melissa and Rachel. He took the bags they had and put them on the couch. “Don't tell me this is all they had?” he asked, peering down into what they'd bought from the party shop.

“You only decided to party on the most popular night of the year, Joey,” Rachel told him, laughing when Melissa produced another bag out of her purse with some more stuff. They had streamers, noise-makers, plus all the paper plates and everything else.

“We got the shit,” Justin yelled, walking through the door that had been left open since the girls were still in the entry way. “And we even picked up you girls some things,” he grinned at them wickedly.

“Knowing you, you probably picked up the erotic Grease costumes,” Rachel quipped. “Too late,” she said when she saw Justin’s face light up.

"Those were the crotchless pants Sandy wore right?" Joey whispered to Melissa, laughing when she yelped and covered her face as it turned red.

“Grease: The Erotic Musical,” Rachel held up her hands, fingers spread like she was picturing a sign. “Coming this summer to a theatre near you.”

“I will never be able to watch Grease the same again,” Melissa laughed, wiping at her eyes, to which Rachel just grinned in reply.

“Your mind is a scary place,” Joey told Rachel as they all moved from the entry way.

It was Rachel, Lance, Justin and JC joining them and Chris would be over later. She set the bags on the counter and went over to where Justin was pulling out costumes. “This will be great,” she said, excited when she saw the guys grabbing the jackets and putting them on.

“Dawg, who's gonna be Zucco?” Justin asked, slipping on his 'T-Birds' jacket. “I think it should be me.”

“Why should it be you?” Joey asked him, raising an eyebrow. “It was our idea for the theme...I should get to pick.”

“Joe, you and Mel should be Rizzo and Kenickie, since you all have sex so much,” Lance pointed out with a laugh as Joey glared at him.

“You're just jealous 'cause you aren't getting any.”

“No one wants to hear that crap,” JC interjected. “Besides, Lance and Justin are blonde, they can fight over who's being Putsie. I should be Zucco, I got the dark hair and I can dance.”

“We can all dance, Einstein,” Lance rolled his eyes. “And in twenty minutes I can have dark hair.”

“I should be Zucco, he's the leader of the T-Birds and...”

“Maybe we should have them audtion and we pick the best one?” Melissa said as she and Rachel sat on the couch, watching the argument with bemused looks on their faces. “Four grown men arguing over characters from a movie. Pathetic.”

“Be glad Chris isn't here,” Rachel leaned over and whispered, holding her 'Pink Ladies' jacket. “He'd be in the middle of it.”

“He'd probably win,” Melissa told her, trying not to laugh when they starting singing bits of Greased Lightening.

“What do the girls think?” the question was posed from JC as four pairs of eyes turned to Melissa and Rachel.

“You guys audtion and we'll pick the best one.”

“What?” Lance asked, looking at both of them, bickering still going on beside him.

“No way,” JC told them.

“I'm okay with that,” Joey replied with a shrug.

“Of course you are, Fatone,” Justin told him, “we have wouldn't have impartial judges. They might be swayed in your direction.”

“And what's wrong with that?” Joey asked, giving Melissa a wink.

“Everything, dawg.”

“I think you should let us be the T-Birds and the four of you be the 'Pink Ladies'. I'd pay to see that,” Melissa told them, watching as horror came across their faces at the thought of cross dressing.


“Justin can be Rizzo.”

“Who will play the virginal Sandy?” Melissa questioned, causing Rachel burst out with laughter. She eyeballed each man unable to quiet her laughter. She collapsed against Rachel as she dissolved into laughs, tears falling from her eyes. When Joey volunteered it caused the girls to laugh even harder.

“With the way you are all over Mel? No way could you ever be mistaken as a virgin.”

“Oh yeah because you scream ‘virgin’, Joey retorted, glaring at Justin.

“Are they really fighting over who would make a better female character?”

“Yes,” Rachel nodded solemnly as she wiped away the tears from laughing so hard. She got up and found a piece of paper and a pen on the counter. She ripped it up into five pieces and quickly wrote out the characters names. “Alright Children, listen up,” she called out, stopping the boys’ continuing argument. “Danny, Kenickie, Sonny, Putsie, and Doody.”
She folded up the pieces of paper as she said their names. “Joseph, your hat.” The hat was handed over without protest. “Now,” she dropped the pieces in before sitting it down on the coffee table. “We’ll draw names when Chris gets here.”

“No trading or swapping,” Melissa said. Then added, “Or selling, buying of any manner. Got it?”
The guys mumbled ‘yes ma’ams’ in defeat.

“Whoever Joey and Lance draw, we’ll be the matching female character.


“Women,” Justin muttered, shaking his head. “Sometimes I'd like to see you two fight over shit.”

“We do fight over stuff. Just important stuff,” Rachel told him. “Like who's cuter, Brian Littrell or Nick Carter.” She knew that would set them off again as they started yelling once more.

“She did not just say something about you thinking a Backstreet Boy was cute did she?” Joey asked Melissa, raising an eyebrow at her. He watched her blush and shrug, grabbing streamers out of a bag. “Do I need to have an intervention?”


“More like Backstreet Anonymous,” Rachel muttered, dodging Melissa’s hand.

“Need I remind you of our sophomore year?” She looked at Rachel before turning back to Joey. “And you have no room to talk! He who says he is in love with Pamela Anderson,” Melissa retorted, giving him a grin of her own. “I'm glad she's not come to one of the concerts or I'd be left hanging...”

“I'd never do that to you,” Joey told her. “Oh hi Pam, this is my uh....um...Who are you again?” He winked at Melissa, laughing when she smacked him playfully, pulling her in for a kiss. “I love you, Bambina.”

Melissa's lips met Joey and she sighed, ignoring the cat calls and whistles. “I love you too. I told you Rachel and I got tickets to a concert right?”

“Front row center, baby. Up against the stage.”

Justin snickered at the look on Joey's face, “What's wrong, Fatone. Can't get your woman front row center for stuff?”

Joey flipped him the bird and shook his head, snorting. “You're seriously going to that?” he asked both of the girls as they nodded, big smiles on their faces.

“We've seen your show enough, we need some new eye candy,” Rachel said loudly, snickering at the crestfallen looks. “Oh give me a break. Y'all are so serious. Why would we go see them? You have the smoking gun.”

“I knew they loved me,” Justin bragged, puffing out his chest.

“You?” Melissa looked at Justin like he was crazy. “We were talking about Chris.”

As if they'd timed it, Chris walked through the door and stared at them all. “What did I miss?”

The other four guys drug him over to the hat and had Melissa hold it while they argued over who was drawing first.

“Oldest to youngest,” Chris said, but got vetoed down by Justin.

“How about we go by your name as it falls in NSYNC. Justin, Chris, Joey, Lance and JC,” Rachel said, sighing when they again disagreed. “Okay, everyone close your eyes.”

“Are you gonna depants us?” Chris asked, smiling.

“You wish, Kirkpatrick. No girl wants to see your skivvies,” JC told him, chuckling, his eyes closed.

“I thought going commando was all the rage,” Justin said, all of them cracking up.

“Nasty, JT,” Rachel smacked him hard on the head. “Everyone put their hands in and grab a piece of paper at the same time.”

Melissa was standing in the middle of the circle and smiled at them. “No one mess up and grab a handful..except for Joey.”

“I thought we were saving that for later, Bambina,” Joey told her, reaching his hand into the hat. He didn't care who he got really, just wanting to have fun with the whole thing.

The five guys looked at their piece of paper, and Justin was the first to speak. “Who the hell is Doody?”

“He's the skinny dark headed guy that goes with Frenchy,” Rachel told him, looking at Lance who was smiling. “Who did you get?” she asked, looking at his piece of paper. “Zucco...nice!”

“Damn it,” JC said, a smile on his lips. “Eh, it's fine. I'm Sonny.”

“That leaves Chris and Joey,” Melissa said, looking at Chris' paper first. “You got Putsie, so I guess that leaves Fatone to be Kenickie.”

“Cause a hickie from Kenickie is like a hallmark card,” Joey quoted, wiggling his eyebrows while the other guys groaned.

“You give her a real hickey, I'll give you fifty bucks,” Justin told him laughing.

“That's my sister, you perv,” Lance shoved Justin playfully as the guys all got into their 'T-Bird' jackets.

Rachel looked at her costume and then at Melissa's. “I guess I get to wear the skin tight pants,” she told her friend as they looked them over. “I heard Olivia Newton-John had to get hers sewn on.” Five pairs of eyes stared at Rachel and Melissa leaned over and shut Joey's mouth.

“I vote they both wear pants like that,” Justin said, getting a unanimous vote from the rest of the guys.

“Men are sexist pigs. You say one thing about tight pants or boobs and they start drooling. Well, except those who go the other way,” Melissa smiled at Lance. “Least we can count on my brother to not be a horn dog.”

“So since he's gay he gets to be the good guy?” Chris asked, raising an eyebrow.

“No, he's just exempt from being in trouble,” Rachel told them, slipping an arm around Lance.

“Gays 1, Straight guys 0. I win!” Lance told them, making them laugh. “Besides, if we let Joey be Zucco, we'd never see him the whole party.”

Joey shook his head as his eyes met Melissa's. They were probably right, but he'd never say that. “How bout we get to decorating? Pizza and beer on me,” he announced as they all got busy on moving furniture around and setting up things.

“This party is gonna be off the chain,” Justin said, a smile on his face.

“Epic,” Chris echoed, “One for the record books.”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Melissa watched Joey fix his hair, leaning against the bathroom counter. Somehow he'd combed it back like the movie and the red was all together at the back, the front twisted around. “You look hot, Fatoney,” she told him, looking him over. He had on a white wifebeater, jeans, a black belt and boots, the jacket laying on the bed.

“I do huh? You look sexy too, Mel-Rizzo,” he replied, tossing the hairspray over with all the other products that littered the bathroom counter. “All we gotta do now is wait for everyone to show up.” He gave her a smile, leaning in to kiss her softly. Joey thought she looked good as Rizzo, even with the black wig and the tighter clothes, the Pink Ladies Jacket on her.

The doorbell rang and they both went down to answer it. The house was decorated like a drive in move theater, with the kitchen being the concession stand. Drinks and finger foods already out. Joey's television was set up to play Grease and the room downstairs was set up for games cards, darts, other group activities. Even a karaoke machine and a couple of video game consoles. They were both looking forward to celebrating ringing in the new year with their friends and family.

"Let's see who's the first to the party," Joey said, opening the door to reveal Lance and Rachel. "Holy shit, Rach. How did you get those pants on?" he took a good thwack from both women, shrugging it off as he let them in, the girls comparing looks. "You'll be fightin' guys off with a stick, Lance," he hugged the other man who looked a lot like a blonde Danny Zucco.

"I know...but she does look hot," Lance said, appreciating the costume even if he wasn't physically attracted to Rachel that way. She was a beautiful girl and he smiled wide when she kissed his cheek. "I'm just waiting for her to take off those God awful shoes," he said, pointing to the heels.

"I told you I'd wear them for a couple of hours," Rachel told Lance. "We gotta get a few pics before everyone else gets here and we forget," she said, grinning when Melissa grabbed her camera. "I think we look good as Sandy and Rizzo." She'd spent part of the afternoon curling her hair and doing her make up where it looked like the end result of the movie. She snapped a self portrait of her and Melissa before snapping one of Joey and Lance.


“Alright, go stand by Lance,” Melissa waved her hands, shooing Rachel toward her brother. “Now smile and say cheesecake.”

Rachel rolled her eyes at Lance before taking her spot next to him. She stood to his side with her body facing his; one arm around his back. The other lay on his chest, the fingertips almost brushing the collar of the white t-shirt he wore beneath the black leather T-Bird jacket. She bent the knee closest to the camera, the inside of her thigh resting against the outside of his. She felt Lance’s arm go around her back, anchoring her closer to his side. She gave Mel her best wanton look.

“That,” Joey said, quickly clearing the look off his face before Melissa turned and saw it. “Was hot. You lucky bastard.”

“Hey! You’re pretty lucky too!” Melissa glared as she passed the camera off to Rachel and pulled Joey to move with her, so they could take a couple picture.

“Next year’s Christmas card, Babe,” Rachel said as she looked at the picture on the camera. “We look fantastic.”

“I don’t think anyone is going to notice that I was even in that picture,” Lance whistled. “Joey’s right. I am a lucky bastard.” He winked at Rachel as she changed the view of the camera ready to take a picture of ‘Kenickie’ and ‘Rizzo’.

“Pretty hard act to follow,” Melissa said as she racked her brain thinking of a pose they could do.

“Could go to the garage and climb into the backseat,” Joey offered, wiggling his eyebrows.

“You’re such a horn dog,” Melissa told him, but her mind immediately drew up that picture and she felt her face flush. She heard a quiet snicker and glared at Joey.

“Just do the end scene,” Rachel said when neither of them could think of a pose. “You know where she tells him she’s not pregnant and he tells her his ‘bona-fide’ offer of making her an honest woman.”

Melissa grinned and nodded her head. “Nice,” she moved closer to Joey. Her breasts were barely touching brushing against his chest while from the stomach down was flush.

“Get any closer and we’ll have to leave the room,” Lance called out.

“That’s later tonight,” Joey grinned as he placed the arm hidden from the camera around her, pressing against her back. The arm in view, he placed lightly on her waist. Mel mirrored his movements; the arm in view of the camera softly gripping his forearm, her thumb resting on the bend of his elbow.


“Now just look at each other like you always do,” Rachel called out as she raised the camera. “You know the one look that makes the rest of us want to puke… Yup! That’s the one. Don’t grin like a moron Mel! Smile softly like someone in love, like you’re sharing a secret that no one else knows.” She smiled when she saw the perfect look come across their faces and quickly snapped the picture, capturing the moment forever.


"Come here," Melissa pulled Rachel into the downstairs bathroom and blushed. "I know you don't wanna know, but," she opened up her shirt to reveal a hickey on her collar bone and rolled her eyes. "He insisted my 'hickey from Kenickie' be authentic. I just told him to make it where it was covered up."

"You two need serious help. Psychiatric help..." Rachel told her, leaving the bathroom. When she reached Joey she just shook her head. "I am so thankful Mel lives with you. If I had to know even part of your sex life, I think I'd be scarred."

"Hey! I didn't tell her to tell anyone about it," Joey defended himself, trying not to laugh. "Besides that, we had fun..."

"Stop talking, Joey," Melissa warned him, moving to where he could put his arms around her. They were always touching somehow. It wasn't always sexual or even had to be personal space, but Joey was a hands on person, at least with her, it seemed, and she relished it. "You look good, ," she told Lance, laughing when he grabbed a comb out of his pocket to comb his hair again.

The doorbell rang and Lance moved so Joey could answer it. "Holy hell boys," he exclaimed, moving so Justin, JC and Chris could come in. Justin came in first, his usually curly hair fixed much like his friends, a smile on his face. Then JC and Chris followed, all of them looking like thugs. Or as much as thugs as was possible for the characters they were playing.


“Lance you better keep her close,” JC warned as he pulled Rachel into a hug. “You look great.” He mentally patted himself on the back for being able to keep his voice even. He had nearly swallowed his tongue when he first saw her in the tight leather pants, molding to her body.

“Thanks,” she replied. She slipped her arms around him, snaking them beneath his jacket. She pressed the palms of her hands against his back, feeling the warm skin radiating through the thing white t-shirt. Cologne wafted up, surrounding her and she breathed it in. “You look good too,” she told him when she pulled back, feeling the loss already. And he did look good for wearing just jeans, a white t-shirt and black leather jacket. And she wondered what it was about that attracted her to him now, after knowing him for years. It was something she needed to figure out because she was liked it not that she’d admit that to anyone.

JC grinned at Rachel, accepting her compliment before turning toward Melissa who watched them both with a raised eyebrow. He ignored the look he was getting, not wanted to get into it. He wasn’t even sure what he would say. He wasn’t sure what was going on either. It was hard to explain something when you didn’t have it figured out yourself. “Rizzo,” he opened his arms. Allowing her to step into them. “You’re looking great. Very nice.”

“Eat your heart out,” Melissa said flippantly, before breaking character to smile at him and return his hug. She played with his jacket zipper which earned her a dirty look.

"Hands off, we want hugs too Chasez," Justin said, pushing Chris away. "Not from you Kirkpatrick," he told Chris, who laughed, hugging Rachel and then Melissa. "How many people were coming?" he asked her, surprised at the number, but it was some family and friends. They'd even invited their parents, who declined in favor of a less noisy setting of dinner and a movie out together.

“Okay, picture time.” Rachel made the guys all pose and took pictures, laughing at some of the things they said and did, most of it not fit for public knowledge. Then she and Melissa got in the pictures with the guys trading off. They even got a picture of the end scene with Rachel putting her heel in Lance's chest. And then one of Joey showing off Melissa's hickey.

“Oh dear god, that better not make it farther than back to me,” Melissa groaned and Joey laughed and tried to bite her neck. “You animal,” she cut her eyes to him.

“I love it when you talk dirty,” he mimicked the line from the movie, hearing the camera click as he pulled her face to his so they could kiss.

“Aww...you two make me sick. If we could bottle whatever it is you two had to sell at concerts, we'd be billionaires,” Justin said, shaking his head.

“You have enough women that want you, Justin. Don't think you need help.” Melissa kissed Joey and went over to him, giving him a look. She knew something was up with Justin. “If you ever want to talk-”

“Not here, Melly. Not now,” he told her, giving her a small smile. “We're here to have a good time. Later though, next week...” Justin hugged her and let her go, pushing his emotions down to where they stayed lately, just out of the range of being shown. He could fake it with the best of them. “You better have some good alcohol, Joe.”

“You gave me the list, man. I got it all and then some for the peeps that aren't drinking.”

“Did you just say peeps?” Rachel asked, raising an eyebrow at him. “Some days you just don't have game. But I'll overlook it today since you are throwing our New Years Party.”

The doorbell rang again and the group dispersed to make room. "Let's get this party started," Joey said loudly as he opened the door, Melissa by his side to greet their guests.
*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

"Go greased lightening, you're burning up the quarter mile," the group sang, doing the hand moves as the movie played. People were squeezed together on the couch and on chairs and in the floor sitting on pillows. Poodle skirts, tight pants and even a few ball gowns were on the girls while all of the guys were either T-Birds and a few came as the Rydell High football team. Janine and David had shown up as the principal and coach respectively, while Steven opted to come as Eugene.

“How's the food in the oven looking, Bambina?” Joey asked, putting more drinks on ice. They'd thought about having food delivered, but it was cheaper and easier to just do it themselves, except for the sandwich platters and cookie platters. He smiled at her, humming along to the song that was playing. After the movie was game time until it was time for the ball to drop.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

“You're gettin' beat by a girl!” Chris yelled at Justin, who was yelling at his character to whip ass. “You are losing to a girl as yourself!

“Shut the hell up dawg,” Justin said loudly, pressing the controller harder as Rachel taunted him.

“I am beating your ass with one of the Spice Girls. Come on!” Rachel told him, laughing as the girl hit Justin in the privates, dropping him to his knees. Celebrity Death Match was a big hit, along with the racing games and football. “You suck.”

“Next person that plays me, we're dismembering them,” he said, grumpy that he lost.

“Maybe you should have been JC,” Melissa suggested, cracking up when Justin gave her the finger. “Sorry, JT. I call dibs.” She picked up the controller and smiled at Rachel.


“Let's see...” she scrolled through players, smiling big. “Pamela Anderson.” she looked over Joey who was throwing darts. “Joey, I'm being your woman. Rachel's gonna be you...I'm losing on purpose.” Melissa smirked at his expression, hitting the start button.

“You have a sick mind, Bass,” Rachel told her, clicking on Joey in the game. The loser against NSYNC had their head ripped off by the member that was being played and the other four took off their appendages.

“It's funny as hell...don't say you don't chuckle.”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

People were wandering from downstairs back up, getting food and drinks. Everyone had a nice buzz, but no one was falling down drunk or too stupid, even though it was starting to get late. The doorbell rang and Steven answered it, looking at the woman on the other side. “Can I help you?” he asked, watching her try and peer into the house, a taxi cab sitting there.

“Who's here?” Joey hollered at his brother, grabbing another beer and opening it, going to the door. He stopped short, seeing his ex-girlfriend standing there, a smile plastered on her face, dressed as virginal Sandy. “What are you doing here? No one invited you...I think we broke up. No, I know we did.”


Kristen wasn't phased at all, still smiling. “We did break up, but I did come to deliver a little piece of news to you. Can we talk?” she asked, not going to back down from him.

“I can’t imagine anything you have to say being worth listening to.” Joey shook his head when Steven asked if he needed to leave.


“Oh,” Kristen gave a laugh and it grated Joey’s nerves. He wondered what he ever saw in the woman before him. “This you are going to want to hear very much.”

“I don’t think so, but go ahead. The faster you say it, the sooner you can leave.” Joey relented. He knew enough about her to know that she wouldn’t leave until she got her way. It would be easier to have her just say her piece and then he could get her to leave.

“I mean by ourselves,” Kristen looked past Joey at the people standing near them. They were giving them fleeting glances, trying not to appear interested in what was going on, but Kristen knew better. She knew their ears were expertly tuned and hanging onto every word that said. She was counting on that. She knew the gossip in the music business. “Is there someplace we can go alone?”

“Not on your life, Kristen,” Joey said, folding his arms over his chest. He heard Melissa’s voice and swallowed hard, seeing her stop at the foot of the stairs. She stopped so abruptly that Rachel ran into the back of her.

“What the hell, Mel?” Rachel said as she steadied herself. When Melissa didn’t answer, but stood unmoving Rachel followed her line of sight and felt her anger grow. “Fuck…”


"Please tell me this is the Twilight zone," Melissa whispered, wondering what was going on. Kristen was looking too smug for it not to be something that was bad for her and her mind obviously went to the worst possible thing. Her eyes studied Kristen's body, and Joey's as he stood there glaring at his ex-girlfriend.

"Since you want this to be everyone's business, I guess I'll just say it. I'm pregnant with your baby," Kristen announced, smiling at Joey as if she expected him to be happy. She didn't miss the twitch in his eye and the audible gasps from others that were in the room.

Lance was standing between the downstairs and the kitchen, not seeing Rachel get past until he realized what she was doing and grabbed her, snagging an arm around her stomach. “Don't,” he directed, holding her back as she fought him, tightening his hold. “You'll make it worse.”

“She's full of shit! Coming prancing in and announcing she's pregnant,” Rachel yelled, pointing at Kristen. “Don't tell me to calm the fuck down. Your sister's not saying a word when she should be the one crying foul.” A glance back at her best friend made her pause. Melissa's head was buried into Chris' chest as he held her. She had no idea what Chris was saying, but for the moment it was pacifying her friend. “I should have known she'd try something,” she sighed, releasing the anger that hand been aroused at Kristen's words.

That snapped Joey out of his trance and he looked at JC and Justin, who were on either side of him and he looked at Kristen. “It's not mine. I don't believe you...We're done. You can hear from my lawyer,” Joey told her, fully intending to get Kristen out of his house.

“I thought you'd say that,” Kristen countered, grabbing papers out of her purse and handing them to Joey. “You forget I have lawyers in the family,” she told him, letting him read the letter that was written out. It was the doctor's findings and conception date and due date of the baby, along with measurements and other offical records that would be been private for Kristen only. “See? Don't you want to be a part of your baby's life?” Kristen placed a hand over the small mound of her belly. Her face remained impassive but she was cheering triumphantly on the inside as it started to sink in. When she was alone, she would to a little dance and laugh out loud as she remembered their faces.

Joey read the words, but none of it really sank in until about the fifth time he looked at the paper, words finally going in order. He was going to be a father. A child was going to depend on him for love and protection. He felt the room spin a little and he stood there a moment, wiping his eyes. “Oh fuck,” he gasped, shaking his head, his face buried in his hand covering his eyes.

“Sit down, Joe,” Steven said softly, steering his brother to a stool that was close. He was just as shocked as everyone else, seeing his brother's face pale. The only other sound that was heard came from behind him, a sniffling sound that was followed by whispers. He looked over to Janine and David, noting that everyone was quiet as the television counted down to the New Year. When the countdown got to zero, there were no celebratory kisses or shouts of Happy New Year.

Melissa wasn't sure what to think or do. She stood there, knowing she was probably drawing blood from Chris as she held onto his arm. It was the only thing holding her up and she couldn't even speak. She heard Chris talking, not sure of what he was saying. It didn't matter. She looked up momentarily when she heard Joey take a deep breath and say something, the raw emotion of it. She slipped from Chris' grasp to go put her hand on Joey's back. There were no words to tell him, not sure how she was supposed to feel.

Joey felt the touch he loved, shaking his head as he felt her hand on him. He felt like he should tell Melissa he was sorry, but he couldn't trust himself to speak.

“I'm sure the taxi's left by now,” Kristen broke the silence, not caring the dirty looks she was getting.

“We know how to call another,” Justin said, shooting her a look of loathing.

“Are you going to let them talk to me like that? I came all the way here to tell you I'm pregnant and you sit there...”

Joey's head snapped up and he stood up quickly. “They can talk to you however they want. You interrupted MY party and MY friends, so just shut up and take it. I'll call you a cab and you can go stay at a hotel for a couple days until I figure out what I want to do.”

Kristen's eyes narrowed at him, putting her hands on her hips, “Do? DO? I'm having your child and you want to put me into a hotel?” she exclaimed.

Joey's teeth ground and he fought hard to keep his temper in check. “Unless you'd like a plane ticket back to Pittsburgh on the next flight out, you'll go to a goddamn hotel,” he told her, running a hand over his face. “You don't own me, Kristen. You aren't just shacking up here.”

“And what is living together before you're married?” she shot a look at Joey and Melissa, “That's shacking up isn't it?”

Joey grabbed Melissa's arm as she bolted towards Kristen, pulling her to him hard. “Get out of my house.” His voice was deadly and he was glad Kristen did what he said, swallowing hard once the door shut. The woman in his arms was stiff and Joey had never hated himself more for anything than at that moment. He couldn't bring himself to look at her, instead staring at a spot on the wall just above the television. “Party's over,” he said, his voice not sounding quite right.

Everyone left except for Joey's family, Rachel, and the guys. They all sat in silence, the television playing New Year's celebrations in other time zones and other countries. It seemed a bit ironic that while other people were celebrating, they were all too stunned to speak.

Melissa stood there, letting Joey hold her. Every once in a while she took in a ragged breath, her hands bunching up Joey's shirt. Every time she thought about it, tears came and she couldn't quite believe what had happened.

Rachel was the first to say something clearing her throat and pressing her mouth into a thin line before she spoke, looking at Joey and Melissa. “I say we help clean up and then get out of here,” she suggested, pushing herself off the couch. She shook her head at Joey when he started to protest, “You have other things to take care of...” she looked between him and Melissa before turning to Lance, raising an eyebrow at him.

“Yeah,” Lance said, wiping his hands on his jeans before getting up. It wasn't that it was really messy, but it would keep them busy and let his sister and Joey start talking. He couldn't imagine what his sister was going through, hating seeing her in that much pain. He went to the kitchen and opened the fridge, starting to put the unopened bottles of beer on the bottom, listening to the others shuffle downstairs.

“We're going upstairs,” Joey told Lance, watching his best friend nod. The walk upstairs was much different than the one he'd imagined earlier. Clothes didn't litter the stair case. Melissa's body was against his, but instead of her hands on him, he was slowly taking the both of them to the bedroom. The silence killed Joey, stopping at the top of the stairs. “Bambina...” he croaked, pulling her chin up so he could see her face. Tear tracks ran down her face, as she bit her lip.

“What do you want me to say?” Melissa whispered, shaking her head. “Oh I want to hate you. I hate you...” she said, making her hands into fists and hitting Joey's chest. “I hate you for getting her pregnant. That you were with her!” her voice got louder as the pain came out. “God...Oh God..” Melissa sobbed into Joey's chest, hearing him sniffle and felt his chest rise and fall quickly. She felt something on her arm that was around his neck and sobbed harder. Joey was crying. That broke her heart even more.

“I'm sorry, Melly,” Joey told her as tears streamed down his face. He couldn't tell her how sorry, she'd never know. There weren't enough words, his soul hurt and he'd gladly face Hell if he thought it would change the situation.

*^*^*^*^*^*^

The group downstairs worked in silence, all of them no doubt thinking of the scene that had taken place.

“It's just fucking wrong,” Justin said, his voice hoarse. He shook his head and grabbed the games that were out to put them back into the console the television sat on.

“I still say she's a lying bitch,” Rachel bit off, tossing a cup into a trash bag.

“I don't think a doctor would make up something like that,” Janine replied, frowning as she wiped a stray tear. “This will be hard to swallow...” she started, then shook her head, not sure it was worth saying.

Lance came downstairs and leaned against the wall, his eyes closed as his head made a thud against it. He took a deep breath and opened his eyes to look at them. “I couldn't listen anymore,” he explained, swallowing hard, “I wasn't listening on purpose, they just...Joey just kept saying I'm sorry and she just sobbed louder and louder.”

Rachel dropped the trash bag she’d been carrying and walked over him. There was a lump in her throat as she imagined the scene in the bedroom. Her heart hurt for her friends. She slid her arms around Lance and leaned against him, her head ducking down to rest against his chest. His heartbeat sounded in her ear and she tightened her arms, offering what comfort she could.


“Fuckin' hell,” Chris muttered, pinching the bridge of his nose, a headache coming on. “Let's just get this done,” he said, tying one of the sacks up to be carried out. He didn't even want to think about what had happened. His two friends were heartbroken and there was nothing he could do about it. Chris hated feeling that way, not able to help.

It took them another half hour to finish, turning all the lights out but the lamp in the living room. Janine went upstairs and halfheartedly knocked on Joey's bedroom door. She heard the squeak of the bed and Joey's voice. She blinked back tears when he opened the door, looking like hell. “We're done. I just came to tell you we're gonna go,” she pulled her younger brother into a hug as his composure broke. “Oh, Joe...I'm sorry honey.”

“I didn't know..I swear to God, Janine,” Joey shook his head, turning his head when his bed moved, Melissa's head buried in the pillow. “I don't know why she's still with me right now. I thought she was going to get sick she was crying so hard,” he ran a hand through his hair. “I'll call you later. I have to tell Mom and Dad later,” he took a shaky breath. “Tell everyone thanks...” Joey's voice trailed off, letting his sister go. He turned back to the bed and looked at the woman he'd promised to love and cherish for the rest of his life. A million thoughts ran through his head as his eyes landed on her stuff. He couldn't ask her to stay with him as much as he wanted to. He knew how Kristen was, part of him rationalized that she possibly did it on purpose. Even with the thought of being a father, his heart broke again as he pulled Melissa back into his arms. She wasn't going to be the mother of his child. That tore him up as he laid there, his hands running over Melissa's back, knowing he wasn't going to sleep that night.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
Lance looked over at Rachel as they drove towards the house. JC was in the backseat and he'd intended to drop Josh off first, but right now he just wanted to sit by himself and gather his thoughts. “I'm going to the house and then you can run JC home...I just...I want a few minutes,” he told Rachel, squeezing her hand, hoping she understood.

Rachel nodded, running her thumb over his hand, giving it a return squeeze. “Just call me when you want me home,” she told Lance, leaning over and kissing him on the lips quickly at a stop light. “I'm sure I can find something to do to entertain myself.”

Lance nodded and pulled into the driveway of his house, leaving the car door open so Rachel could drive. He slapped JC's hand and then hugged his girlfriend. “I'll call you in a little while,” he told her, holding her for a moment before letting her go. He waved to JC before going into the house. He thanked God it was just him alone with his thoughts for now as he sat down on the couch, tears coming to his eyes.

JC moved into the passenger seat Rachel vacated when she moved to the driver’s side. The ride was quiet; each were lost in their own thoughts thinking about the events that had transpired earlier in the evening.

“You wanna come in?” JC asked when Rachel pulled into his drive. He didn’t like the thought of her being out alone, especially on New Year’s Eve. He glanced at her out of the corner of her eye. Especially still dressed like that. “I’m not tired yet, and I’m not sure I could even sleep if I was.”

Rachel glanced over at him and nodded, giving him a small smile. “If I'd have been thinking, I would have grabbed some other clothes,” she looked down at her outfit and sighed. “What a damn thing to do. Hear someone's having a party and show up uninvited like that. Fucking bitch… It fucking sucks. I can't even imagine what Joey and Melissa are thinking since I'm not even sure what to think.”

JC nodded, lost in his own thoughts for a moment. He felt awful for his friends. Another part of him hoped and prayed that the whole thing wouldn't mess up the group as a whole that Joey could pull it together before the tour. It was the business side of him, his job as unofficial 'leader' to think of that, to keep it separate. His eyes met Rachel's and he hated seeing the pain in her eyes. “You know Joey and Mel,” he told her as they got out, digging out his keys, “they'll talk it out and figure out what they wanna do.” He got the door open and gestured to Rachel. “After you,” he smiled, watching her walk into his house, catching a hint of her perfume that still lingered as she passed.

Rachel had been in JC's house a few times and was amazed that it was always so clean. “You better be glad I'm not your girlfriend,” she joked, sitting down on the couch. “Cause I can't live in a house that looks like it's not been touched.”

JC’s brain stumbled on the girlfriend comment and he found himself imagining what it would be like. How it would feel to be coming home like this with Rachel here with him every night. But he brushed it off. She was taken. Even if their relationship wasn’t real, there was a reason behind it. So he laughed as he went into the kitchen. “You've not seen my bedroom or the studio downstairs. You want something?” he asked, grabbing a couple waters and bringing her one. He'd shrugged off his T-Birds jacket, leaving it on the back of his recliner.
They sat there in amicable silence for a few moments. It didn't seem awkward and both people enjoyed the fact that the other person didn't feel like they had to talk. “Wanna go downstairs? I got something I need an opinion on.”

“That line work on all the ladies?” Rachel laughed as she stood up, excited about seeing more of his house, happy that he was sharing this with her. She knew he and Justin wrote a lot of the songs on the Celebrity album, and knew he was talented in his own right. She paused at the pictures on the staircase, the gold albums and pictures with them showing NSYNC's success as a group. Obviously something he was proud of. Rachel's grin grew as she stepped into the downstairs, seeing the homey feel the upstairs had been lacking. “This is much better,” she told him, studying the pictures of his family and of the guys.

JC sat down at the baby grand piano and patted at the empty spot beside him on the bench. He picked at a few notes, playing part of 'Selfish' on the piano. “Okay, this is what I've been working on,” JC told Rachel, singing the first verse of the song, he played a little more music as he looked at her.

Rachel listened, a small smile on her face. “It's good, Josh,” she laughed when he started playing and singing different words to “For The Girl Who Has Everything.” They started talking about music and other things, the conversation flowing easily. “So why is it you don't have a girlfriend?” she asked him after a while.

JC looked down at the piano, his fingers on the keys but not hitting them to make a sound. He felt like he could be honest with Rachel. “Most women want me to be the guy they see on stage. The one in front of the cameras. I love being on stage, performing. I love writing...but I'm shy,” he chuckled at her raised eyebrow. “I know, right? I like my privacy in my life away from all the craziness. I want someone who doesn't have to have the spotlight. We both know Mel could care less about it, but she and Joey are like Forrest and Jenny. She's too,” JC searched for the word, shaking his head when he couldn't come up with it.

“You two would drive each other nuts,” Rachel told him, knowing he didn't want to date her best friend, he was just throwing that out there. “I hate the spotlight.”

“You did pretty good with it on Christmas,” JC grinned as he recalled her and Melissa dancing to ‘Bye Bye Bye’ in the middle of the bowling alley.

“God,” Rachel groaned. “I was nervous as hell. I could have killed Justin for pulling that stunt. And the rest of you for being in on it. It’s much different with just me and Mel. Of course we’re usually laughing our asses off when we do it and belt out the off key lyrics, the occasional wrong word and sometimes the wrong verse.”

“Now that I’d love to hear,” JC relaxed into the conversation, enjoying the one on one time he was getting with her. It was a rare occasion, someone was always with them.

Rachel gasped in horror, “No way!”

JC laughed, “I’m sure it’s not that bad.”

“Says the singer,” Rachel rolled her eyes. “It’s worse, much worse.” The conversation lulled for a minute before she spoke again. “It’s easier being here in Orlando than it is in New York, you know? Up there I’m supposed to be part of the Weatherly’s; act a certain way. Dress a certain way, even talk a certain way. Down here…I’m just Rachel.”

JC felt the connection between them grow at her words. He knew exactly how she felt. On stage he was the ball of energy, everyone knew that. They all expected it. He was crazy, busting out their dances with precision movements; running from one end of the stage to the other. Sometimes his true self came out during interviews where he allowed himself to sit quietly, mold into the background and let the others take the lead.

“Well I like just Rachel.” He caught her eye and smiled, the eye contact strengthening their connection.

Rachel broke the contact first, her eyes sliding down to the keys as she tried to pull herself together. Being alone with JC, she felt herself sinking deeper and deeper. She didn’t want the time to grow awkward so she raised her hands, resting them on the gleaming white keys and met his eyes again. “Teach me something.”

JC smiled softly and brought his hands back to the piano. He thought for a moment before his fingers moved beautifully over the keys in a complicated manner that had Rachel glaring at him.

“Easy, you jerk,” She slapped the hand closest to her causing the wrong chord to be played and they both grimaced. “And I’m talking ‘Mary Had A Little Lamb’ easy.”

“Alright,” JC laughed and took her hands placing them on the keys he wanted.

Rachel’s pulse jumped at the touch, but she kept her breath steady as she allowed him to manipulate her fingers.

“Pressing these down at once,” he tapped the fingers he was talking about, smiling when she did just that. “Gives a C chord.”

He went on to show her a couple more chords and two of the major scales. He tested her when he took her hands off the keys and told her to play a chord he had just taught her. But he grinned with pride, when after a few seconds she played them both correctly.
“Now,” he brought his hands back to the keys.

Rachel laughed when he stared playing ‘Mary Had A Little Lamb’. She hadn’t wanted to learn the song, just threw it out there as an example of easy. But she watched and listened intently as JC played and showed her the proper keys to hit.

“I don’t think this song has ever been butchered so much,” Rachel said, laughing ten minutes later as she had another unsuccessful attempt at the nursery rhyme.

“Pretty positive it has. It’s probably the first song everyone learns how to play.”
“That pep talk sucked,” Rachel allowed him to take her hand again curling her fingers toward her palm, leaving just her pointer finger free. Acting as a puppeteer, he moved her finger, pressing down on the proper keys as the song rang out without error. “Alright!”

“Learn that and I’ll teach you the next verse.” JC winked at her.

“It’s the same keys,” she swayed her body to the side, nudging JC’s. She looked at the clock and saw that it was almost three thirty. “Damn. We missed everything fun. Happy New Year, JC,” she told him with a soft smile.

“Happy New Year, Rachel,” JC smiled, pulling her in for a hug. “I think it's a custom to give the other person a kiss. Only in celebration sake of course,” he told her. JC thought if he could just kiss her once, that it would be the end of his feelings that were growing. That this thing between them was just attraction, nothing deeper. He couldn't like her that way.

Rachel stared at JC, contemplating what he was saying. Her heart was beating fast and she nodded mutely, not trusting herself to speak. She knew she should tell him no. Lance was counting on her to be his cover, something that she was doing willingly; at the same time she wanted to see what it was like to kiss JC. “Alright,” she finally said, giving him an encouraging smile. Rachel watched him as he turned to face her, one of his hands coming up to caress the side of her face before his lips touched hers. His lips were soft and warm and she let out a small sigh.

JC had only meant to give her a chaste kiss, but the sigh made him want more. His other hand cupped her cheek cradling her face between his hands as he deepened the kiss, feeling her hands come to rest on his chest. He looked at her after he broke off the kiss, shaking his head. “Sorry,” he told her quietly, not sure what he was apologizing for. He studied her face. This kiss did nothing to quell is feelings for her. If anything they solidified them, making them call out stronger, louder. He wanted nothing more than to pull her into his arms and kiss her again. But he squelched the feeling, reminding himself that she was taken. “but it does make up for the shitty way the year started.”

“No…” Rachel replied, feeling her heart flip flop. She wanted to reach back out to him. She clenched her fingers in her lap to stop herself. “Girls are missing out...” she could stuff her emotions down for now, letting it be friendship between them. She had no idea how JC even felt about her and wasn't about to start spinning fairy tales about him in her head. That only lead to trouble and she was staying away from that, giving him a grin.

Rachel checked her phone and saw that Lance had sent her a message. She replied quickly, hating that she had to leave but wanted to talk to Lance. “What are you going to do the rest of the night?” she asked JC, watching him grab a pencil and scribble words on a piece of paper.

He held up a finger, writing for a few more moments before grinning wide. “When inspiration hits, you work,” he told Rachel. “Wanna see the rest of the house before you go? The housekeeper came over yesterday, so I don't think it's too bad. If it is, don't tell.” He got up and opened the door to his recording studio, flipping on a light. It wasn't dirty, but JC had notes on things, parts of songs on sheet music and he grinned like a little kid. “It sounds stupid, but I love being down here. I can just sit and think...” he watched Rachel look around, he frowned a little. “Can I ask you a question?” He spoke suddenly, wanting her opinion.

“Sure, JC. What's on your mind?” Rachel looked him up and down, finding it hard to not stare. She kiss rang out in the foreground again and if she closed her eyes she could feel his lips against hers again. Even though she told herself not two minutes ago she wasn’t going to start spinning fairy tales she was doing just that. She thought Lance was handsome, but she was quickly coming to appreciate how JC looked. It wouldn't hurt to think he was good looking, there were lots of men that she looked at and admired. Of course none of them were one of Lance's bandmates.

“Do you think I'm too serious?” he asked, looking intensely at her, wanting an honest answer. It sounded stupid to ask. He just wanted to know partly because he was interested in what Rachel had to say.

Rachel gave him a warm smile, walking to over to him so she could look directly into his eyes. “You are the most perfectly serious guy I've ever known. You have a worth ethic that won't quit. You're focused and driven and you do know how to have fun. I've seen it,” she reassured him, letting her mind wander a moment. “Or is that not what you wanted to hear?”

“Keep talking like that and I'm going to have you call me when I need a pep talk,” JC replied, leading her back up the stairs and then upstairs to the bedrooms.

“Anytime...unless I'm sleeping,” Rachel said. “Or even if I’m sleeping. Just don’t expect a coherent answer.”

His house was much like Lance's and Rachel found herself wanting to sit in JC's writing spot, a comfy chair in the corner of the landing when they got upstairs next to the bookshelf and the small table on the other side with the lamp, curled up with a good book, loving the plush carpet and dark wood that accented the home. “You have a beautiful home,” she told him, smiling.

“Eh, it's just where I lay my head,” he replied giving her a shit eating grin, leading her to the door, his hand on the small of her back. “Be careful driving home, Rachel. Let me know you made it. Other people are stupid this time of year.” JC heard a car drive by, the music thumping before he let her go. “Bye Rachel. I'm glad you came over.”

Rachel hugged JC, nodding. “Thanks for letting me visit. I'll text you when I get across the neighborhood.” She waited until she was out of his drive
Chapter 19 by DiamondDoss
Joey's thoughts bounced from one thing to another, all about the same subject. He cut his eyes over to the passenger seat and his stomach gave a lurch. The warm body that usually filled it wasn't there. He'd gotten up and sat there on the edge of the bed in his shorts for an hour, watching Melissa sleep. He couldn't imagine her not being there in his bed, in his house. Even more than that, he was dreading pulling into the driveway at his parents house, picturing the look on their faces.




His phone vibrated, making the cup beside it in the cup holder rattle. He'd just pulled into the driveway and opened his phone. 'Look what I made' the text said, with a picture of toast with butter and jelly. Joey yelped in laughter, leaning his head back on the headrest as the tears came following. He held his eyes shut with his fingers, trying to get himself together. He told himself to man up, but his heart was still breaking. The news of being a father was still fresh and it hadn't been able to fully sink in yet. It was there in the back of his mind, quietly knocking but weighing heavily on his mind was Melissa and just what was going to change with their relationship.

He shoved his phone in his pocket and got out of the car, running a hand through his hair. “Hey, Pop,” Joey said to his dad who had opened the door before he could get there and knock.

“I didn't think you'd even be coherent at this hour,” the elder Joe said, looking at his watch. “Everything alright? Where's Melissa?” he asked, noting the look on his youngest son's face as he let him into the house. Phyllis was fixing coffee and they hadn't planned on getting out until that afternoon to shop a little.

Joey didn't answer until he was in the house and standing in the kitchen after greeting his Mom. “I have some news,” he said quietly, not quite believing he was saying the words, “I'm gonna be a dad.” The thought alone made him want to crawl under a rock. It wasn't that he wasn't excited about some aspect of it, but the magnitude of the situation had sucked him dry of any joy about the event.

“Oh Joey,” Phyllis smiled with unshed tears in her eyes and hugged him. “You'll be a wonderful father. How's Melissa feeling? Has she been sick? When did you find out?” She fired questions but stopped when Joey bit his lip and shook his head a little. Her eyes flicked to her husband's, and then let Joey go enough to look at him. “What's wrong, honey?”

Joey was grateful that his mom quit asking questions and just stood there while he tried to pull himself together. “Sorry Mom,” he said after a few minutes, wiping his face with the back of his hands and blew out a breath. “Kristen showed up last night at the party. She told me she was having my baby and then produced the paperwork from the doctor's office. Records and such through her lawyer.”

“Kristen? She'd have to be at least four months along...” his mother said, leading them all to sit on the couch, trying to rationalize this. She was excited for a grandchild, but now was not the time to be celebrating the news. “Do you think it's yours?”

Joey ran a hand over his face. He never imagined in a million years he'd be sharing a part of his sex life with his parents. “The last time I saw Kristen before we broke up was around the right date for conception. I only remember that because the next day I had a migraine from Hell from no sleep and sh..stuff.”

“Why didn't she tell you when you broke up with her?” Phyllis asked, trying to think this out.

“I don't know. Maybe she didn't know...I didn't really give her a chance to talk a lot, Mom. We just broke up,” Joey felt his phone vibrate in his pocket and looked at the text message. “Mel's going over to Justin's so I get to come home to nothing. Sounds about damn right,” he growled, shaking his head. “I don't care that she's going..it just...nevermind.”

“Maybe she needs some space to deal with this..that's not surrounded by your stuff and hers. I'm sure it's all been very hard on both of you.”

Joey nodded, his thoughts lost for a bit. He could care less that Melissa went to Justin's it was just the fact that if he went home no one else would be there. He'd lived by himself most of his life save for room mates, but this was different. His house had felt like home when Melissa was there, making it the place he wanted to be at.

“How do you feel about all this, son?” Joe Senior asked after a bit, putting an arm around Joey and the other around his wife, looking at the emotions play across the faces of those he loved.

“Like someone just put my heart in a blender and hit frappe,” he replied, not smiling at his own joke. “I don't know what to think about the whole baby thing yet. I'm more concerned with the woman who stayed up all night with me and cried herself to sleep around six this morning. She...” he looked at both of them, swallowing hard, “Mel told me she wanted me to do the right thing. Even if it was to not marry her.”

“Where is Kristen staying?” Phyllis asked Joey, watching him get lost in thought again.

“At the Marriott for this weekend. I told her we'd talk about all this next week,” Joey said, blowing out a breath. “I don't know what to do here. I mean, I know what I should do...but..I'd rather someone just shoot me. Might be easier that way.”

“You've got more than just you to think about now, Joe. Even if you don't have feelings for Kristen...” Joe Senior's voice said, trying to keep an even tone of voice and not pull his emotions into it.

“I know, Pop. It doesn't matter what I want, does it? I mean, really,” Joey's voice turned angry and he shook his head. “I know..I know I'm being selfish and stubborn, but I just want this to go away! How am I supposed to tell Melissa that I have to marry Kristen instead of her?” he asked them, pushing off the couch to pace, letting his emotions out, things he couldn't say in front of Melissa. “That I'd rather eat broken glass than marry my child's mother? And at the same time, I'm excited about the prospect of being a father. How fucked up is that? I should be coming here grinning from ear to ear with both of you happy. Now you get to deal with all this fucked up shit...” he waved his hand towards the general direction of his house. “I can't ask Mel to be with me and be a step mom. Kristen...” he sighed, his voice quieting as he turned towards the window. “Kristen would use that every chance she got against me, or against her.”

“So you're sure about this?” Phyllis got up to put her arms around Joey. “We love you, no matter what. We'll love our grandchild, whether you marry Kristen or not.”

“I'm not one of those guys, Mom. I can't not be a part of my child's life. Other things will have to change.”

“Just be sure you and Melissa talk about things. Even if you are breaking off an engagement, that's no reason she's not still your friend. Tell her she can still come over here anytime she'd like. She's family,” Joe Senior pointed out as his son nodded. “And we will welcome Kristen to our family, if that's what you decide to do.”



Joey wanted to ask what other choice he had, but instead just nodded. He felt his phone vibrate and he pulled it out, giving a small smile. “Bambina,” Joey answered, trying to make his voice sound normal, shutting his eyes for a moment before sitting back down. This was part of normal that he was holding on to. He was going to keep it as long as he could.

“Did you know Justin bought me cooking lessons?” she asked him, looking at the papers in her hand. “I'm not sure whether to be insulted or happy. Probably happy I won't food poison anyone...”

“We need our baritone, chica,” Justin called out where Joey could hear.

“Tell Justin to shut his pie hole,” Joey said, listening to the two of them bicker. “How are you?” he asked a few minutes later, his voice quieter. “Have you decided you hate me?”

*^*^*^*^*^*

Melissa stilled at his question, her mouth moving a little but nothing came out. “Why would I hate you, Joey? I love you,” she cradled the phone, her voice getting raspy. “I am mad and angry and hurt by a few different things, but none of them make me hate you.”

“I'd hate me..If I was you. This is going to be hard,” Joey paused, looking over at his mother and then at the coffee table, “I made a decision.”

“What's that?” Melissa asked, figuring she knew what it was, shaking her head a little. “I mean, I probably already know...” her voice trailed off, fiddling with her ring.

“Let's not do this over the phone. We'll discuss it later..I'll be home in a couple hours.” Joey hated to start a conversation and then not finish, but there was no way he was doing that over the phone. He heard silence on her end and raised an eyebrow. “Melissa? You there?”

“Yeah,” she bit her bottom lip, nodding even though he couldn't see her. “I'll have Justin drive me back to the house in a little while. I'm gonna school his ass in H-O-R-S-E,” she tried to smile and not sniffle to let him know she was crying. Melissa felt like that's all she would do for the rest of her life.

“Kick his ass, Bambina. I love you.”

“I love you, Joey.” Melissa told him bye and then shut her phone. She leaned into Justin when he enveloped her into a hug. “I...I think all I do is cry...” she stammered out, shaking her head, feeling Justin's hand rub her back.

“It's okay, chica. Let it out,” Justin told her, feeling his heart break some when she let out a sob. “That bitch ain't got shit on you, Mel. So what she's having his kid...doesn't mean he's gonna love her. That's the straight up fuckin' truth,” Justin tipped Melissa's chin up so he could look at her face. “We love you, no matter if you're with Joey or not. You're our girl...”

“I thought Briney was your girl,” Melissa told him through her tears and saw Justin shake his head and frown, looking away from her for a little bit. “What happened?” she asked softly, noticing his posture change.

“We broke up a little while ago. I've just been trying to figure out what the hell I did. If I even did anything...” he growled, running a hand through his hair. “She lied to me, went out with this other guy. Looked me in the face and fucking told me she was going out with friends. The dude told me about it,” Justin snorted. “At first I was shocked, wondering if it was my fault you know. I mean, cause we all know I'm perfect,” he smirked at Melissa's laugh, glad that she'd at least smiled, even if it was about him. “So....we're done. She begged and cried and shit. I told her to go fly a goddamn kite.”

“Oh Justin, I'm sorry,” Melissa reached up and smoothed the lines in his forehead. He got them when he was thinking hard about something. “I've been meaning to ask and just didn't get a chance to...not that it was my business though.”

Justin shrugged, accepting her hug. “The media got wind of it last week. It doesn't matter I guess, what's done is done.” He got quiet for a moment before looking at Melissa. “You know what I don't get is you're with someone for a long time and all it once, you're kicked to the curb with no explanation. I mean, I know I fucking have an ego. I know millions of women want to have a piece of me...but I was so damn in love with Brit. Like I thought we had what you have with Joey.” Justin wasn't going to cry in front of his friend, but he did tear up a little, shaking his head at himself. “She's just a girl, there's more out there.”

“It still doesn't mean you don't care, Justin. It's...it's personal to you. It's dealing with you as Justin Randall Timberlake, the man. Not superstar Justin, or anything else. You have to deal with it and let your emotions out.”

“Oh I did,” his eyes got a gleam in them, “I've been dealing the hell out of it.” He smiled triumphantly at Melissa, cradling her face with his hands. Justin was more worried about her than him. “Now what the hell are we doing with you, Bass? You're all weepy and shit..I would be too, but just remember you and Joey are tight. He's your homeboy. No one can take that away from you.”


"It's not the same if he marries her, Justin," Melissa finally voiced, sitting back down in one of the chairs."He's a part of me and I don't wanna give that up. But I'll have to. She's having his baby," her eyes met Justin's blue ones. He blurred in front of her as tears filled her eyes again. "How can I take that away from him? I can't take that away from him. How can we go back to being just friends? I know we can say it six ways to Sunday but can we actually do it? Can I step back away from him, not call or text at odd hours when something's on my mind. Train myself that I'm not allowed to kiss him anymore; not allowed to touch him?" She glanced down at her hands, twirling the engagement ring on her finger. "Once this comes off, I will have no claim over him. I've loved him for so long Justin. I don't know how not too. I always thought I'd never have to find out who I would be without Joey, what I would do without him. It's always Joey and Melissa, Melissa and Joey, even when we were 'just friends'. It's like turning off a part of me. I'm afraid I won't work right. And if I ever get to working right, I won't be the same.”

Justin pursed his lips and sighed, having no answer. He hated having no answer, looking at her silently for a few moments. “Come on, chica. I'll drive you back over to the house-”

“It's Joeys,” Melissa told him, letting out a shaky breath. “It's Joey's house...” She sat over in the passenger side, watching the familiar scenery pass from Justin's house to Joey's. How many times had she ridden with Justin. Both of them not talking was odd, and for once she could hear the radio playing. Her eyes met Justin's when he pulled in the driveway and then over to the empty space where Joey's Acura was usually parked. “Thanks, Timberlake. You da man.” She fist bumped him and hugged him tight before going in the house. The door shut and Melissa found herself going to the last place she and Joey were. The bed was still unmade and she buried her face into Joey's pillow, breathing in his scent as tears came to her eyes once more.

*^*^*^*^*

“I'm sorry, Bambina,” Joey whispered, wondering if really was possible to die of a broken heart. He wasn't sure whose heart was breaking more, his or Melissa's. He'd come home to find her curled up with his pillow and had joined her in bed. His fingers had traced over her face and he'd memorized every part of her. It wasn't something new, but Joey didn't want to forget. He wanted to remember her right there beside him. When she'd stirred, he pulled her to him and held her. When the only response he could give her to his decision was to cover his face and look away when she'd asked, his shoulders shaking, she responded with a gut wrenching wail that ran his blood cold. That was when Joey held on to her, whispering over and over he was sorry, that he loved her until she was silent. Now he kept telling her, even though her face was still buried in the crook of his neck, something wet hitting his skin once in a while. “Talk to me, Mel.”

Melissa pulled away enough to look at Joey, not caring her hair was plastered to her face, if her face was blotchy. “What do you want me to say? I can't...” she sucked in a breath and lovingly stroked Joey's cheek, “I can't lie and tell you I'm not hurting, but I'm not keeping you from your kid. I can't ask you to choose...” her voice trailed off and her green eyes met his brown ones. “You're gonna be a father,” her mind stuttered over the next words, “and a good husband.” It made her sick to her stomach to think of Kristen being Mrs. Joey Fatone, that she was in his life and now pregnant with his child. The only part of Kristen that Melissa cared about was the baby that was half Joey's. “Here,” she slipped off the engagement ring and held it up between her thumb and index finger.

Joey looked at the ring and shook his head. “I'm not taking it from you. It's yours. Nona told me to give it to the girl who holds my heart,” he took the ring from her and got up momentarily to get one of his silver chains from his box. “You're the woman who has my heart,” he told her, putting the ring on the chain and handed it back to her, leaning in and kissing her softly. “It's always gonna be you.”

Melissa looked at the ring dangling there on the chain and then at him, nodding. She knew what she'd be taking from Joey's house. Pieces of herself, pieces of him. “Who do I call when I have something funny to share or a stupid joke?” she asked softly, moving to where they both sat on the edge of the bed, her arm ran through his, their fingers entwined. “Or when I remember I can't run up and kiss you...that you'll be taken by someone else.”

Joey didn't answer. He didn't know the answers, wanting them himself. Even before their relationship, they kept in constant contact with one another, save for the few times they got mad and didn't talk. Joey had taken over Melissa's cell phone bill so long ago, he didn't even know when it had gotten changed over to his account. That morning he'd told himself he could be strong and do this, but it was then he realized how much of himself he was losing. He was losing that part of him for a bigger reason, but he wondered how much his life would change. “I start rehearsals again next week...and we're finishing up recording,” he told her, looking down at her bare left hand. His finger rubbed the spot where the skin was indented from the ring. “Will you be here another week or do you know?” he left the question hanging.

“I have work and class,” she told him, sighing. “I have things to take care of...” It hurt to think about calling all the places she and Rachel had called to book things for the wedding and paid deposits on, and the dress that was hanging in the closet at her parents house. “You know I have to move out, Joey.” The sadness in her voice crept in, feeling worse when Joey frowned and blinked a few times, nodding after a bit.

“I'll help you pack,” Joey said suddenly, hopping off the bed and pulling open one of his drawers, the one with all his t-shirts in it. He pulled some of them out, tossing them backwards towards the bed, onto Melissa and the bed, some falling short landing haphazardly in the floor. He got to the next drawer and threw his shorts out, then proceeded to empty out the dresser of both their clothes. The chest of drawers blurred as angry tears came with Joey forcefully pulling the drawers out and dumped the clothes in a pile. “Don't tell me stop!” he shouted at Melissa, not turning his head as he moved towards the closet. “You need to move out, I'm just speeding up the process...”his voice trailed off as the closet door came open with a bang against the adjoining wall.

Melissa buried her face in her hands, listening to hangars rip off the rod and things being thrown. The telltale sign Joey was upset was when she heard Italian coming from his lips, yelling at first and then getting softer after a few minutes. She got up and crept over to the large walk in closet, peeking in. Joey was crouched down in the middle of the closet, his body shaking slightly. “Oh Joey,” she whispered, not sure how much more either of them could take. One of her favorite shirts was in his hands, holding it close to his chest. The closet itself looked like hell with clothes thrown everywhere.

Joey felt Melissa's arms wrap around him and he leaned back against her after moving to where he could sit. He didn't have any words, didn't know what to say. He didn't want her to leave. If she left, this would all become real. “Tell me this is all a bad dream, Bambina. That I'll wake up and none of this will be happening,” he got out before turning his head to look at her. Joey wished he could fix this, but if he did, it had to be without the woman who was being braver than he was at the moment. “I'll pick this up...everything...” He kissed her lips, not caring if he should or not. Right then all Joey wanted was to have her there.

Melissa kissed him back, fingers stroking his hair next to his temple. “I'm not leaving you upset like this, Joey. I'm not moving out today unless you want..” her words were muffled, cut off by Joey's mouth again, his answer in his kiss. She whimpered when his tongue found her mouth, opening up as his tongue slid in her mouth. “What are you doing?” she asked him when they broke off the kiss, breathing hard. He wasn't hers anymore, even though he hadn't said the words and she still wanted him just as much.

Joey got up, the shirt he'd been holding landing on the floor with the other clothes and pulled Melissa to him, giving her a hint of a smile. “Our last night together...one final hurrah,” Joey told her, chuckling when she raised an eyebrow, messing with Melissa's hair. “We can fall asleep on the couch. Remember when all I had was a couch to sleep on?” It had been almost five years ago, but when he moved into this house, his furniture and furnishings were lacking. Not because of money, but just because Joey hadn't been home long enough to go buy furniture. The first time Melissa had spent the night over at his place, they'd fell asleep on the couch. He woke up the next morning with a crick in his neck from falling asleep sitting up while Melissa was curled up beside him. It was funny that he remembered that, but he did.

“I remember that. And that time Justin woke us up by crowing like a rooster on the bus when we'd just went to bed a couple hours before,” Melissa told him as they walked downstairs. Her heart still hurt, but there was something no one could take away. All the memories her and Joey shared. It was silent the walk down the stairs and then when she watched Joey settle onto the couch, she bit her lip and sat down in front of him and turned her body sideways to lay down next to him. She turned her head to look at Joey. “Will you miss me?” she whispered, hating to ask, but had to know.

“What do you think, Bambina?” Joey asked, his hands holding her face gently. “I hate the thought of you not being with me. Of not waking up to you and falling asleep with you. This breaking up shit is hard to do,” he said, looking out at the sunset through the cracks in the widow shades. It was still early and here they were, going to bed. “Don't cry anymore, I don't think I can stand it...” he begged when tears ran down Melissa's face.

*^*^*^*^*

“Yeah I need a grande mocha cappuccino with extra foam and an espresso shot, a grande vanilla cappuccino with no foam and an espresso shot, and a grande black with two sugars,” Lance ordered as they sat in the drive thru line at Starbucks.

“Joey not a coffee drinker?” Rachel asked, curious why he only ordered three drinks.

“He won't want any coffee. If he's been upset, it messes with his voice,” Lance told her as he paid and got the drinks. He gave a wave to the girl who was at the drive thru who was grinning at him like she'd won the lottery. He took a sip of his drink and frowned. “I'm gonna stay with Joey after we get done today. Might make it a little easier on him.”

Rachel nodded as she sipped her cappuccino. “I have plans for Mel and I to blow this popsicle stand tomorrow. Just gotta get stuff taken care of.” She sighed, reaching over to hold Lance's hand. “Is it okay if I say I hate Kristen for this? Like I'd like to punch her in her face...but I'll refrain since she's allegedly pregnant with Joey's kid.”

“You say that like you don't believe her,” Lance retorted, giving her a smile. “Right now, I'm just taking this day by day. And today's gonna suck the worst. Actually back that up, yesterday was bad too, since I was the one that had to tell my parents. They called me since Mel had called crying and they couldn't get anything out of her. That was when you were on the phone with your grandfather...” he told her when she gave him a curious look.

Stopping at the gate, Rachel was glad for the extra minute this took to get a few emotions stuffed down into a place they hopefully wouldn't come out. She loved Melissa and Joey, even if her best friend drove her crazy sometimes, she prayed that this wouldn't be as bad as she figured it would be. When Lance pulled into the driveway, she looked over at him and quickly wiped away a tear. “I told myself I wouldn't cry about this shit,” she admonished herself, chuckling when Lance shook his head.

“Wanna hear something?” Lance asked her before she could get out. “Timberlake's cried over this. So if he can cry, the rest of us can boo fucking hoo all we want.”

“How the mighty have fallen,” Rachel muttered to herself, getting out of the car and sighing heavily. She didn't want to do this, but put on her best neutral expression, giving her boyfriend a slight smile, meeting his green eyes;glad that her heart was safe from this sort of thing with Lance. The momentary slip happened when she thought of JC, knowing she'd be in the same boat as Melissa or worse. That thought was quickly tossed in the back of her mind where it was beaten down into submission. She had other things to worry about as she watched Lance go to the door.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^


“You look good,” Melissa told Joey, watching him get ready. She didn't think she could cry anymore, feeling numb. He slipped on his watch and then reached for one of his Superman necklaces and she sniffled. “Sorry,” she muttered, wiping tears, hearing the doorbell ring. It was probably Rachel and Lance. Rachel had told her she'd be over to help her gather up stuff and Lance was giving Joey a ride to the studio. “I didn't know we needed babysitters,” she told Joey, smiling at him shaking his head.

She opened the door to reveal her brother and best friend, attempting to give them both a smile. It barely made it past her mouth and certainly not to her eyes.

“We brought Starbucks,” Rachel said, thrusting the cup of coffee into Melissa's hands as they came in the door. “Where's Joey?”

“Getting ready,” she said, accepting hugs and putting the coffee on the table in the living room. “He's just finishing up.”

Lance looked up when he heard Joey coming down the stairs. He thought about making a wise crack at how good Joey looked for a recording day. A black fedora, a black shirt with white diamonds on it and some jeans with black Nike's, his Superman necklace and his watch, diamond stud in his ear. He choked back his smart ass remark when he saw Joey's eyes land on his sisters, smirking at her giving him a once over. His best friend was doing this for Melissa. “We got a few minutes before we need to go,” he told them both, his eyes meeting Rachel's. The two of them quietly excused themselves to give the other couple a few minutes to themselves.

“So this is it, huh?” Melissa asked Joey, her eyes not meeting his. She wanted to scream and beg and ask him why it had to happen, but instead she just drew in a shaky breath, avoiding looking at Joey's face. His shirt blurred and she cursed herself for crying again. She was proud though when she felt Joey's arms around her that she didn't break down. “I can't tell you goodbye,” she choked out, pulling back to finally look at him, reaching up to cup his cheek and wipe away a tear forming in the corner of his eye.

“Then it's not goodbye, Bambina. It's an 'I'll see ya later.” Joey wasn't sure what part of him was talking, if he was even making sense. “Don't worry about picking up my shit in the closet. I'll do it later tonight. If you need me to call anywhere....” he started, then shook his head when she laid her head on his shoulder. They stayed silent, hugging tightly for a few minutes. “I gotta go, Melly. I love you.”

Melissa bit her lip hard and closed her eyes momentarily. It would be the last time she'd hear him say that. “I love you too. I'll see you around.” She didn't let Joey go, surprised when he didn't pull away from her. “Be good, Fatoney.”

“Always, Bambina,” Joey told her, leaning in and nuzzling her nose with his, his lips barely grazing her cheek before he stepped back. He gave a nod to Lance for them to come back in, knowing they had to get to the studio before they were late.

Lance leaned over to kiss Rachel. “Have a good day,” he told her, mouthing good luck. A part of him felt out of place when he looked over at Joey and Melissa. He'd always heard the expression that someone looked like they'd 'lost their best friend'. Now he was seeing it in person. His sister was holding it together enough to get Joey out the door and Joey was doing the same for her.

“Come on, Lance. We'll be late. I don't want to hear Josh bitch,” Joey told his friend, turning to Rachel and giving her half a wave bye as the other girl pulled Melissa in for a hug. 'Take care of her' he mouthed, glad when she nodded. He went and got in the passenger side to Lance's car, silent. The radio played, twisting Joey's heart with the words. “Fucking Backstreet Boys,” he muttered, listening to the song as it sang everything he was feeling.

“Empty spaces, fill me up with holes. Distant faces, with no place left to go, without you within me, I can't find no rest. Where I'm going is anybody's guess. I tried to go on like I never knew you, I'm awake, but my world is half asleep, I pray for this heart to be unbroken but without you all I'm going to be is incomplete...”

*^*^**^*

“I think we got it all,” Rachel told Melissa, tossing the final bag in the back of the Mustang. She'd done most of the talking while Melissa packed and even picked up the mess Joey had made. Rachel had talked about everything she could think of besides what was happening right then. “Anything else you need to do?” she asked, turning back to Melissa who was standing there, looking at the house.

Melissa shook her head no. She'd gotten all of her things, leaving her keys to Joey's house and cars in an envelope. His American Express card and insurance/prescription card, various items from her car: A pair of his sunglasses and a couple hats, even a bottle of his cologne that had been in the glove box. The envelope was sitting on the bar, next to the phone and she hit the button to hear the message that came up when someone called. 'This is Joey and Melissa, we can't come to the phone right now,” she heard her voice say, “Joey stop it,” a laugh from Joey. “Leave a message and we'll get back to you. Say goodbye Joey.” “Goodbye Joey!” she hit delete, letting it go back to the automated message. Her eyes met Rachel's knowing she'd zoned out. “I'm okay. I need to stop a few places,” she told her friend as she handed her the keys. “I want to just get this all over with, Rach. I want to get back to normal.”

“I hate to tell you, Bass. You won't ever be normal,” she teased, glad to see her friend smile and flip her off. “But I know what you mean. Want me to go talk to anyone?” she asked, knowing the flowers and catering were close to one another in the same block.

“Yeah, talk to the florist,” Melissa told her, sighing. “And I'm hungry. We forgot to eat last night. Went to bed at 8...”

“Wait, back up. Joey skipped a meal?” Rachel looked at Melissa, reaching over to pat her hand. “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, Mel.”

Melissa just rolled her eyes at Rachel, looking out the window at the traffic going by. “By the time this is over, I should be freaking Supergirl, Wonder Woman..a Jedi,” she muttered to herself, leaning against the window and closing her eyes. It had to get better. She didn't think it would and all she wanted was to back up five years and start over.
Chapter 20 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
Okay..if you don't comment on any other chapter, I would love to know what you think of this one. I loved writing this chapter. Jr88freak (Rach) helped some with the ideas and writing out the banter in jail. Thanks to the guys for doing some of the funny stuff for us to copy. Enjoy!!!
“Once more, guys,” Wade told them as the music started over. “Joey, stay focused.”

Joey glared at their choreographer as a bead of sweat ran down the side of his face. It had been a week and he felt much like he had when he'd come home the first night and all of Melissa's stuff was gone. Empty. And then if that wasn't enough, Kristen had demanded to talk to him the next day, making rehearsals a joke. Wade had pushed Joey the hardest and he'd balked, walking out of practice. Now he was almost in step with the others, watching the mirror and himself carefully. Keep breathing in and out, he told himself. Things had to get better. He caught Wade giving him a nod, jerking his head slightly in response. He was breathing hard when the music stopped, looking at his band mates.

“Looks good, that's all for today,” Wade told them, watching Joey go grab a water.

“You wanna go out tonight?” Justin asked Joey as he flopped down beside him, taking a big gulp of water. “Me, Chris and JC were gonna go to a club or two. Might be good to get out of the house.”

“Can't,” Joey replied, grabbing a towel Chris had tossed him. “Kristen wants me to help her find an apartment. She's pissed because I won't let her move in. Then screamed at me because I threw it back in her face we weren't shacking up,” Joey shrugged. “I made it plain the reason I was doing this...” his voice trailed off and he got quiet.

Justin let Joey sit there a minute before jostling the other man. “You know Rachel drug Mel off to the beach near Cocoa. She'd tried to drag her farther off, but she protested,” Justin rolled his eyes, pulling up a picture Melissa had sent him. It was a self portrait of her and Rachel with the beach behind them, both smiling. He showed it to Joey. “Seems like someone stole a jersey before they left,” he told him with a smirk.

Joey looked at the picture and couldn't help the smile that touched the corners of his mouth. “I told her to take a couple of them,” he said, trying not to sound emotional about it. It was one of his favorites, his Knights jersey that said Phat-One on the back. “She looks like she's having fun.”

Justin just shrugged, closing his phone. “They're shopping and eating and shit. Girl stuff, dawg. You letting Kristen get an apartment near you?” he held up his hands in defeat when Joey glared at him.

“Just wonderin', man. Jesus..”

“How about you just drop the subject, Timberlake? It's not like I don't get fifty fucking texts an hour of apartments she's found or baby furniture or clothes or god knows what that would be 'nice' to have. Not to mention, 'When are we getting engaged? I want to get married before I start to show.'” Joey voice grew louder, making the rest of the guys stop and look at him. “And while I'm on the subject, who in the FUCK came up with the set list? Which one of you thought it would be funny to put 'I Thought She Knew' on there? Who's the genuis who did that, huh?” His eyes swept over the four of them as they all looked at each other and then him. “You think I wanna sing that song? Why don't you just cut my fucking heart out on stage? Look at Joe, poor Joe, let's just gut him now while he can't feel anything.”

At that moment, Lance's phone rang and he groaned, since it wasn't on silent. “Gone” was playing;it was his sister. He didn't even look at Joey as he hit end, turning it on vibrate and slipped it back in his pocket.

“I don't want to know, do I?” Joey growled as Lance shook his head slightly.

“Joey, we tried to talk to management about the set list, and about that song,” JC said, hoping to calm his friend down. “We were told that since the set list has been decided already, we can't change it once it goes through them. And none of us added it...”

“We tried to get it taken off,” Chris chimed in, watching Joey pace. “I can always sing your part too,” he suggested.

“Oh yeah, like that will help. Sit there and listen to you sing my part while all the fans wonder why the hell I'm not singing it?”

“Then sing it,” Justin taunted him. “Sing it right now for all of us. Your part.” He knew Joey couldn't do it, getting up in Joey's face after he got flipped off. “You're gonna sing the fucking song, man. Cause we all know the reason behind it. Think of it this way, it's a big unknown fuck you to Kristen. You get to sing a song about your girl...and no one knows it but us.”

The other three guys looked at Justin as if he'd grown three other heads. It was the best reverse psychology they'd ever heard and it must have worked because even though there was still a twitch in Joey's eye, he slowly nodded. “That's the only reason then. I'm gonna sing the hell out of it,” he told them all, tossing his water bottle in the trash before leaving.

“What the hell was that, Justin?” JC asked after the door shut.

“It was motivation,” Justin told JC, grinning. “He'll do it if he thinks its for a good reason...all I have to do is refer back to Mel and he's putty in my hands.”

“It sounds a little like blackmail,” Chris told him, sitting down in one of the chairs, “I mean, is it fair? He's in a messed up place right now.”

“That's not likely to change for a while, guys. I say,” Lance blew a breath out and ran a hand over his face, “I say if it gets him through all this other shit, we go with Justin's idea.”

"And if it doesn't work," Chris cut in, a smile playing at his lips. "Well it's justin's fault. After all, it was his idea"

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Lance sat on JC's couch fiddling with his phone. The other three were playing Mario Kart and he'd opted out of this game. His phone rang and he raised an eyebrow at the number, coming up as 'Cocoa, Florida'. He almost hit the end button, but something told him to answer.

“Hello?” he said, grabbing the remote and turning it down so he could hear. “Where are you, Rach?”

“She's probably calling from jail,” Justin said, his eyes never leaving the television.

“They haven't been gone long enough to be in jail,” Chris told him, hitting buttons. “Take that, Chasez.”

“This is Rachel and Melissa we're talking about, you've witnessed them in action,” JC replied, looking at Lance and frowing at the look on his face.

“Those two need a warning when they go out,” Chris said with a grin, his eyes not leaving the television.

“No shit,” Justin muttered, grinding his teeth when Chris beat him, flipping him off.


“It must not be good.” JC looked back to Lance, wondering what was going on.

“What do you mean you're in jail? How did you get in jail?!” Lance yelled, standing up and pacing as Justin whooped with glee.

“I told you they were in jail!” Justin crowed, pointing at Lance, laughing.

“Shut up, Timberlake,” Lance said, not being able to hear. “What happened? How much did you have to drink?”

Lance listened, not sure he was able to believe what he was hearing. His girlfriend and sister were in jail. After drinking no less. “So you quit counting drinks....” his voice trailed off as he dug in his pocket for his keys. “She punched someone? Or you did? Both?! You so owe me for this.” Lance's face blushed as Rachel told him what she'd do to make it up to him. “You are drunk aren't you?” he chided, not even looking at his friends. “I'll be there in a couple hours. Love you.” He closed the phone and sighed, his eyes meeting his friends. They were all standing there, waiting to hear the news.

“What happened?” Chris asked, only hearing Lance's side. He was going, if nothing else to see Rachel and Melissa in a drunk tank in a jail.

“Did they start a bar brawl?” Justin asked, his curiosity up as to what had happened.

“Apparently, my girlfriend and my sister had some admirers at the club.-”

“Well they are hot,” Justin interrupted, smiling wider at Lance's glare.

“And after them drinking, the guys thought it would be funny to start mouthing those 'gay boy bands' that were playing,” Lance finished, sighing.

“Oh hell no,” Justin said, his grin widening. “Melly gave them a beat down?”

“She and Rachel both told them off from what I could gather. Then when they mouthed more, they got in a couple of punches. I think there was more to it than that, but..being drunk,” Lance sighed, “She said something about the police wanting to talk to whoever came and picked them up.”

“I just want to see the mug shots,” Chris said, getting hit in the back of the head by JC. “What?”

“This isn't funny,” JC said. “You want us to come with?”

Lance shrugged, “Might as well. Someone has to call Joey. Not it!” he said just as quickly.

“Not it,” chimed Chris and JC, leaving Justin standing there.

“Why the fuck does it have to be me? Why does he even need to know? We'll tell him tomorrow.” Justin said, walking out the door with the others and getting into the vehicle with the most room, which was Chris' Pathfinder. “He'll be mad.”

“Like that's different any other time this week,” Chris pointed out as he backed out of the driveway. “He's not handling this well. I mean, it's cool he's gonna be a Dad. Sucks that it has to be with Kristen.”

“You know he'll be more pissed if you don't call him,” JC told Justin. “You don't have to give any details, just tell him the girls got into some trouble and we're going to get them out.”

“That sounds fucking whack, dawg,” Justin dialed Joey's number and hit end, not wanting to leave a voicemail. “I'll try him later,” he said, putting the phone in his pocket. He was almost glad that his friend hadn't answered, not wanting to tell him that his ex-girlfriend was in jail. It was hard to think of Melissa as Joey's ex, but it was just the way the cards were dealt at the time.

*^*^*^*^*^*^

“We're in jail, Rach. Like real jail. 'Cops' meets 'Law & Order' meets 'The First 48' jail,” Melissa told her friend. “Your grandfather will send me to live in the middle of the Indian Ocean on an oil rig.” Melissa sat next to Rachel, not believing they were there.

“No he won't. They didn't even take our pictures or fingerprint us,” Rachel said. She was still plenty drunk, but at least was thinking halfway right. “Lance said he'd be here in a couple hours.”

“You called Lance?” Melissa yelled, burying her face in her hands. “He'll tell me I get to stay here to learn a lesson. 'I told you not to drink'...” she mimicked him, shaking her head. “At least it wasn't Joey. You didn't call Joey did you?”

Rachel watched her friend's lip quiver and leaned her head back on the wall and groaned. “No, Mel. I didn't call Joey. You're saying your ex-boyfriend being called would be worse than your brother?”

“I don't know,” she said, groaning covering her face. “This year has sucked and we're only a week into it. I can't wait to see what else happens. I mean, it can't get worse. I don't really think it can.”

Rachel didn't answer for a few minutes, letting the emotions settle before she said anything. A smile came to her lips. “You know that saying? Best friends are sitting there in jail next to you saying 'That was fun, let's do it again'.” She let out a laugh when Melissa did, not being able to stop laughing after a bit, both of them drunk and sitting in jail suddenly was the funniest thing ever. “You called a guy a scruffy looking nerf herder, Mel,” she gasped for air as her friend leaned on her.

“It's..Star Wars,” Melissa replied, wiping her eyes, pausing to take a breath. “Oh god..We drank way too much. This one time, at Justin's...” she cracked up again, holding her stomach. It was twenty minutes later, Melissa sat up, looking at Rach. “You know, this place has good acoustics. For being tile...” she got up, making a face like Joey would. “We like to sing in bathrooms, any place with tile...and now, a jail cell.”

“Hey hey....Bye bye bye,” Melissa sang loudly, her voice echoing off the walls, making her grin. She was doing some of the dance moves, making up others as Rachel laughed. “Bye bye don't wanna be a fool for you, just another player in your game for two. Come on, Rach, this sounds awesome.”

The officer that brought them in looked at his partner, shaking his head slightly. “Now I've officially seen it all. I can't wait until her brother gets here,” he said, smiling as the video camera caught it.

“I thought they were supposed to sit and be quiet. Not sing boy band songs,” the young rookie said, looking concerned at the drunk tank where the girls were now both singing and dancing, doing more improving than actual dancing.

“We didn't arrest them, Thomas. We're just giving them a safe place to sober up until their ride gets here. Besides, what are they hurting?”


"Our ears?" Thomas grinned.



“You are Aero-Sync, You are NSYNCA-Smith,” Melissa yelled at Rachel who was saluting her as they mocked the Superbowl performance, laughing hysterically as they made fun of the commercial, pretending to pee and then running to the other side where the bars were.

“Saiiiiling, takes me awayyyyyy,” Rachel sang, with Melissa joining in. “Wave your hands, make an ocean of people,” she said in her best Chris voice.

Then Melissa grinned and looked at Rachel. “Eat eat eat, all day long..” Rachel caught on and started drumming a rhythm. “Eat eat eat while I sing this song. Eat eat eat..”

“Goldfish taste real good,” Rachel chimed in as she drummed.

“Eat eat eat..In the neighborhood. Oh god,” they both collapsed on the floor, holding each other and laughing.

“You know, I'm glad we're here,” Melissa said after a moment wiping a tear from her eye. “I can cross this off the bucket list,” she joked, shaking her head.

“It was on mine too,” Rachel told her, sitting there, knowing they were drunk and being stupid.

"Just the two of us," Mel said staring off.

"Up against the wall,' Rachel echoed and the two started giggling.

"I wonder how many song titles we can put together to make sentences?" Melissa said.

"Let's try it."


“Here we go,” Melissa said, the first song that came to her head, not as fast as usual since she was inebriated.

“I need love,” Rachel said, hoping that her friend would come up with something good.

“Just don't tell me that.” Melissa laughed as they kept going, getting more outrageous.

“You Drive Me Crazy...Tell Me, Tell Me Baby...Underneath My Tree..Digital Get Down.”


"All I Want Is You... Home For Christmas...Under My Tree," Rachel laughed as she added, "Bringin' Da Noise"

Melissa dissolved into giggles. It took a few seconds before she added her own, "This I Promise You... That Thing You Do... Makes Me Ill."

Rachel cradled her stomach as she laughed. Tears rolled down her cheeks and she was unable to stop. "Oh God..." She breathed. "So funny!"

"I Want You back."

"Up Against The Wall"

"The Two Of Us."

"Up Against The Wall"

"I Just Wanna Be With You"

"Up Against The Wall"

"It's Gonna Be Me," Melissa glared at her friend. "If you say, 'Up Against The Wall' one more fucking time..."

The two fell into silence each trying to hold back their laughter.



"Up Against The Wall" they said at the same time breaking into giggles.

"I can't help it, it goes with everything," Rachel replied. "Are you gonna be there."
"Up Against The Wall," Melissa retorted, making Rachel roll her eyes.

Rachel replied, “Are you gonna be there.”

Silence filled the cell before they both shouted out, laughing. "Up Against The wall."


They were quiet for a few minutes before Melissa cleared her throat. “Here's an appropriate song,” she told Rachel, smiling. “Lying in your arms, so close together, didn't know just what I had.”

s*^*^*^*^^*^*^**^

Chris pulled into the parking lot of the police station and looked over at Lance. “You know we're all going in,” he told his friend. “We didn't drive two hours to just sit in the car while you go see what the girls are doing.”

“Yeah, dawg. I wanna see you go postal or somethin',” Justin told Lance, not caring he got a glare.

“Just make sure they're okay before you start griping,” JC added, all of them exiting the car.

Lance just nodded, not quite believing what he was doing, going to get his girlfriend and sister out of jail. He hoped they'd sobered up. They got in the door and stopped. There was the regular noises of calls coming in, of people shuffling around and the police scanner and then two female voices singing.

“Thank God. They've been singing for an hour,” Officer Thomas told them, leading the four of them towards where the girls were, the singing getting louder. “I think your playlist has been updated,” he told Lance, shrugging.

“Whhhhhyyyy didn't I know it, Whhhyyyyy didn't I show it,” Rachel belted, hanging onto the bars, belting JC's part as loud as she could with Melissa backing her up.

The girls didn't realize they had an audience turning their backs to the outside starting on another song.

“I want my baby back,” Melissa sang in her best JC voice.

“I want my baby back,” Rachel echoed singing Justin's part, smiling as they both sang Lance's part.

“I want my baby back, baby back, baby back,” Melissa said, doing Joey's walk from the Chili's commerical.

“Tell me you got that,” Justin whispered to Chris as his friend brought out his phone to video it, both of them laughing at the girls and at JC's stunned expression. “This is so going on the NSYNC site.”


“Are they always like this?” The old man asked Lance, raising an eyebrow as they walked towards the drunk tank.



Crazy? Yes." Lance answered. "Drunk? No."

"Time to go," he opened the door to the cell. "Concert's over."

Melissa and Rachel whirled around hearing the door of the cell clang open. They teetered at the sudden movement, their stomachs rolling. They held onto each other so they wouldn't hit the floor. Upon seeing who was standing on the other side of the bars waiting for them, they broke out in smiles.

"Lance!"

"The ladies, they love you," Chris said as he closed his phone and stuffed it in his pocket.

Lance watched as they walked from the cell, clearly using each other as a crutch. His anger had somewhat faded after finding out the story that had led them to being in the drunk tank in the first place. "Are you alright?" He asked reaching out for Rachel. He gripped her upper arm, keeping her steady before pulling her to him.

"Chica," Justin smiled, wrapping an arm around Melissa's shoulder as she leaned into him. "It's illegal to have this much fun without me."

"This was strictly an innie trip, not an outtie," Melissa smiled up at him, her eyes glazed with drunkenness.

Justin laughed out loud before pressing a kiss to the side of Melissa's head. "I love you, Chica." He held onto her, leading her through the maze of desks toward the door that lead outside. A round of applause followed them out.

"What do they know?" Rachel scoffed, stumbling slightly out the door causing Lance to tighten his hold on her. "We owned that shit."

"Owned that shit," Melissa echoed.

"You alright?" Lance asked as they made it to Chris's vehicle. Instead of getting into the car, they converged around, forming a circle.

"I feel like we drank a gallon of vodka," Rachel admitted, her head leaning against Lance's chest, her arms wrapped loosely around his waist. "I think we had more fun in jail, than we did at the club."

"No kidding," Melissa spoke up, lifting her head from Justin's shoulder. "Next time we'll skip the club and go directly to jail."

Rachel lifted her head and looked at Melissa, her mouth opened to reply but Lance's voice quickly cut her off.

"I don't think so."

"Spoilsport."

"What happened?" JC asked, eying Rachel up and down carefully. He didn't want to admit that he was slightly jealous of her standing in Lance's arms. Jealous that Lance had been the first person she called from jail. Jealous that Lance had been the one she noticed in the jail cell. Jealous that she had gone straight to Lance. It wasn't something he wanted to think of right now. "Were they arrested?"

"No," Lance said ignoring Chris's 'damn'.

"Hey man, let's get them back to their hotel," Justin broke in before Lance could tell them the events. They guys glanced around for the first time noticing the stares they were getting. When they made eye contact, the cops staring quickly went about their business. "How are we going to do this?"

Chris looked at his car before looking at his friends. There was one less seat. "Looks like someone's sitting on someone's lap. I'll drive." He took the keys from Lance.

"Rachel can sit on Lance's lap, Mel in the middle. I'll sit next to Mel and JC, you can sit up front." Justin issued out seating arrangements. He walked Melissa around the back of the vehicle, helping her climb in and scooting her to the middle before he climbed in after her.

"This outta be fun," Rachel grinned. She released Lance so he could climb into the vehicle. She swayed a little when her anchor left but was quickly righted again against a warm body. She glanced up and grinned seeing JC. "Hi."

"Hi," JC said, unable to keep the smile off his face. He held her to his side, his arm resting on her hip, holding her steady. When Lance was ready, he walked Rachel to the car and helped her in. When she was situated, he shut the door. He pushed down the jealousy down as he walked behind the vehicle to climb into the passenger seat.

"So what happened James," Chris turned the radio completely down so they could talk. He pulled from the police station driving slowly and followed the directions Rachel had given to their hotel. The last thing they needed was to be pulled over.

"Guys kept flirting with them and buying them drinks. They were pretty toasted when one of the guys that were buying drinks mouthed the guys Rachel and Melissa were hanging with..." Lance broke off when he saw JC twist in the passenger seat to look at him. He caught Chris's gaze in the rear view mirror and could feel Justin looking at him.

"You make us sound like sluts, Lance," Melissa mumbled. She rested her head on Justin's neck, pressed against him so to give her brother and best friend room.

"You gotta be getting some to be a slut," Rachel mumbled against Lance's neck. She had her head resting on Lance's shoulder, her face pressed against his neck. Her legs tangled with either Lance's or Melissa's, she didn't know whose or even care. Lance had both his arms firmly wrapped around her making sure she wouldn't slip off his lap.

Lance felt his face heat and knew he was blushing. "Quiet, you." He told her before continuing. "Apparently they befriended some gay guys. After they started making slurs to them, they started in on guys that sing in bands-"

"They called Joey a cocksucking fag and a fat bastard," Melissa interrupted him. "And before that it was about gang banging on the tour bus. How you screwed girls in all sorts of cities." Tears formed in her eyes and she turned her body toward Justin. He brought his arms up, consoling her.

"Men too." Rachel added. "Said you were card carrying, venereal diseased ridden, can't sing worth a fuck faggots. We took exception to the can't sing worth a fuck."

"Thanks... I think." Chris said, his own anger growing.

"So you couldn't just leave?" JC asked Rachel, feeling bad for them. He knew they heard worse. It was something they all were used to. It was just one of the downsides of being a 'celebrity'. He just wished they didn't have to deal with it. He would gladly take being called that all day long if it meant Rachel didn't have to be subjected to it. It was as if she was being punished just because she knew them.

"We were going to call a cab," Rachel told him, the hum of the tires of the vehicle combined with Lance's warmth made her eyes heavy and she allowed them to slip close. Her stomach was starting to protest the mixture of alcohol and liquor and she prayed she could hold off until she got to the hotel. "Tim and Andrew - they were the good guys - were going to call one but-"

"The jackwagon made a comment I didn't like so I punched him."

"It was nice," Rachel let her lips drift into a smile as her eyes remained closed. "She broke his nose."

"That's my girl," Justin grinned.

"Of course the cops got called then, because his friend didn't like the fact that I had punched his friend and started yelling and getting up into my face," Melissa continued on with the story. There was a small smile on her face despite her tear stained cheeks.

"So I took him out," Rachel's face slipped into a full blown smile. "He never saw it coming."

"You two are never allowed out by yourselves again," Lance chided them. "The last thing I expected to get was a call to come get you out of jail."

"You should have known better," Rachel shifted in Lance's lap, getting more comfortable. She sighed softly, relaxing against him once more. "I am sorry though; we didn't mean to get into a fight and end up in jail."

"You're just an overachiever Rach," Chris said as he pulled into the hotel where the girls were staying.

"The only reason you two didn't get arrested was because the two guys you hit didn't want to make it known they got their noses broken by girls and there was an off duty cop who saw the whole thing. He was the one who called the cops that took you and Melissa in. They were his friends."

While Justin and Lance took both girls in the hotel to get them settled in their room, Chris and JC sat in the silence of the car. "You know we got a harder rehearsal today than yesterday, right? Wade's gonna eat us for lunch."

"Our asses are gonna be draggin'," JC ran a hand over his face, suppressing a yawn. It was going to be a very hard day on all of them. They had to get back to Orlando and get at least some semblance of sleep before they had to be back at the studio. "Maybe he won't be on Joey's ass so hard if we all suck."
“Wade pushes Joey because he knows how he is...but once Joey gets it, it's there,” Chris pointed out, watching Justin and Lance come back both of them talking. “I got video of Rachel and Melissa singing,” he told JC with a smirk. “That should be good for them to watch in a couple of days.”

“You and Justin aren't right in the head. They probably won't even remember that...I don't even want to think about the stupid crap you've done when you aren't drunk.”


Chris laughed and looked at JC as his friends got in the car. “It's all a part of my charming personality.”


*^*^*^*^*^*^

“Wakey wakey eggs and bakey,” Justin sang loudly into his phone, cackling and then hanging up. “They will hate me later,” he told the rest of the group as he smiled, tossing his phone back over into his bag. “You look like shit, dawg,” he said to Joey, who sat there next to his bag staring off into space.

“I couldn't sleep...” Joey's voice trailed off. He wasn't going to blurt out that his bed was empty and he missed his best friend. And that he'd stay up late just so he wouldn't dream because his dreams held the person he wanted to be with, not the person he was currently 'with'.That thought made his skin crawl. “Did you guys have fun last night?” he missed Justin's smirk but looked up with Chris laughed.

“We had lots of fun. Women were calling us from jail,” Chris said as Lance groaned.

“Jail? How did they get your number?” Joey looked concerned as the other four looked at him.

Lance glared at Chris. He was going to kill him later. It was going to be a long, slow and agonizing death. "Rachel and Melissa went to a club in Cocoa Beach last night. They got a little tipsy and got into a fight. The guys didn't take kindly to the fact that they were with us and had befriended some guys at the club who bat for the same team."

"So they fought with them?"

"Broke their noses," Justin stated proudly.

"An off duty cop saw the whole thing. Melissa didn't like the comment one of them made about 'gay boy bands' and you. Of course if the guy knew anything about you, he'd know you were a boob freak." Lance joked, trying to lighten the mood. "My sister brought blood and Rachel backed her up. They were taken to jail to sober up..."

"And to protect the other patrons at the club," Chris quipped.

"To sober up until I got there to pick them up. They weren't arrested or anything. No charges were filed."

Chris pulled out his phone and the video, handing it to Joey. “The other cop that was there said they'd sang for about an hour. First time anyone's sang NSYNC in the drunk tank,” he hit play and Rachel's JC impersonation played. “It was hilarious.”

Joey watched, wanting to chuckle at the girls and how silly they were being, but at the same time, he was worried. He'd watched Melissa deal with things she didn't want to and she did it all about the same. She ran away from it. He didn't want to think about her running from it to a bottle of alcohol. Although from what Lance had said, it wasn't intentional. “That's not right, Kirkpatrick. They'll both be mad if they know you have this,” he told Chris, handing him back his phone, shaking his head a little.

JC looked at the other two men. If that was the only reaction Joey had to something even he thought was funny, something was seriously wrong. He sent off a quick text to Rachel. 'U ok? Wade's getting ready to whip us into shape. Let me know..'

*^*^*^*^*^*^

“I'm never drinking again,” Rachel moaned as she rolled over, opening one eye to study the clock on the nightstand. It was almost noon and she felt like her mouth was full of cotton. She studied the bottle of water and tylenol beside it. She remembered being brought back to the hotel and talking to Lance and singing a little, but most of it was fuzzy. She sat up and groaned, picking up the note under the bottle of pills. She smiled at Lance's note, grabbing her phone and seeing her text messages. Her smile grew bigger as she looked at the one from JC, texting him back.




'Miserable. I am never drinking again, C.'

After sending the text to JC, she quickly typed out another one to Lance.

'I'm alive...barely. I'm not sure how I ended up in my hotel room. Everything's fuzzy.'

Rachel looked over at Melissa who was still asleep. She got up and made her way over to her friend's bed, glad the trip was only a few feet, her phone in her hands. “Scoot over,” she told Melissa when her friend groaned and the movement of the bed.

“Officer, did you get the number of that vodka bottle that hit me last night?” Melissa asked, scooting over and putting an arm over her face. “How did we get here? I vaguely remember something about Chris driving?”

Rachel's phone beeped and she looked at it, smiling. 'Rumor has it you serenaded the jail. Will be our next album. NSYNC live from Cocoa Beach Inmate Facility' Justin sent. “Oh God.”


“What?” Melissa asked, wondering why Rachel was grumbling under her breath.

“Seems that we gave a concert last night,” Rachel sent a text back to Justin. 'Look out Johnny Cash'.

“I don't remember a concert,” Melissa said, rolling over to face Rachel, groaning and burying her head in her arms and the comforter. “Wait. I remember singing Bye Bye Bye..I think.” She rolled back over and reached for her phone to check for messages. She had one from Joey. 'Call me' was all it said. Melissa closed it out. “Guess they told Joey.”

“Why? How do you know?” Rachel laughed at the message from JC. 'When you drink half the bar. It happens.'

'Jealous?' she typed back adding a smiley face. The way her stomach felt she was jealous that JC and Lance hadn't drank. She pulled up Lance's messages. 'Your sister is awake and somewhat coherent.'

'I can out drink you. So no, not jealous. Wade's pissy. We all suck today' JC replied. 'Talk later'

Rachel typed back 'Okay' to him and smiled at Lance's reply 'Did she decide she wasn't drinking anymore?'

“You drinking any more?” Rachel asked, realizing she still hadn't gotten an answer about her first question.

“Not today,” Melissa said, smiling. “And Joey texted me. All it said was call me. Not, are you alright...he's pissed.”

“He could be busy,” Rachel tried to make it better, but frowned when Melissa sat up and shook her head.

“His busy would be, 'Are you okay? Wade sucks ass today..busy'” she explained, sighing, sending a text back to Joey.

'U R mad.'

'Talk later, Wade taking phones. Pissed is better word.'

“I told you,” Melissa said, showing Rachel before tossing her phone on the nightstand and watched it slide off onto the floor. “Fuck it,” she gave the phone the finger.

The two of them laid there in silence, save for an occasional moan when sunlight came through the curtains the wrong way. “What do you remember?” Melissa asked Rachel, bits and pieces coming back to her.

“I remember meeting Tim and Andrew, we weren't that drunk then,” Rachel told her, with Melissa nodding.

*^*^*^*^*^*^

Rachel and Melissa went into the club, opting for a table that was somewhat out of the way of the main line of traffic from the bars to the dance floor, but close enough they wouldn't be forgotten by the waitress that was coming around taking orders. They'd both dressed in 'club' attire. Rachel had opted for a long sleeved form fitting plum sweater that showed off a bit of cleavage and some jeans that hugged her body and some knee high boots that made her a couple inches taller. Melissa had found a black shirt with the shoulders cut out, the sleeves fluttered past her elbows and rhinestones going from one cut in the shoulder fanning out across the breasts underneath and tapering off around the other side, wearing some distressed jeans and boots as well, some that she could walk and dance in, the heel not as tall as Rachel's. Both women had their hair styled and make up done, glamming it up. Rachel's diamond necklace from Lance gave off twinkles as the lights that were in the club hit it.

“What are you gonna have?” Melissa half yelled at Rachel as they studied the menu. “I'm ordering a Corona with Lime and the beef fajita nachos,” she grinned when Rachel made a face.

“I'm having a strawberry daquiri and the steak,” Rachel told her friend as the people watched. Rachel was glad to have her friend away from Orlando and to see Melissa finally smiling. It might have also had something to do with the insane amount they'd spent on clothes, bags littering the floor around both of their beds, spilling into the closet where their suitcases were and even into the bathroom. Rachel didn't care what it took, just anything to get Melissa to think about something other than Joey for a little while.

“You gonna dance?” Melissa grinned wide when 'It's Gonna Be Me' came on, getting up. They'd been there long enough to buy two rounds of drinks and had another round bought for them by a couple guys sitting a few tables away. “Come on, Rach. Please!” Melissa stuck her bottom lip out, doing a few of the moves. “I'll do them right here and embarrass you,” she threatened, cheering when Rachel finished off her drink and got up.

Rachel and Melissa made their way to the dance floor, both of them joining in the mesh of bodies dancing, both of them singing along to the song, doing the part with a few other girls where the guys did the lean and then the “It's gonna, gonna, gonna, gonna, gonna be me,” where they all had their own part to sing and pop up. Then Melissa started dancing with a very handsome guy, both of them talking over the music, introducing themselves and Rachel shook her head. Melissa could make friends easily, or at least just someone to talk to. It took her longer to trust people, but as far as just starting a conversation, she was good at it.

“This is Tim,” Melissa yelled at Rachel as they got in line to do the Cha Cha slide, “his partner Andrew's just watching,” she said, pointing out another man who gave them all a wave. A couple dances later, they all left the dance floor and decided to sit with Tim and Andrew.

“This is Rachel and Melissa,” Tim introduced the girls and then Andrew, ordering them all a round of drinks as they talked, people watching.

“These are from the guys across the way,” the waitress pointed out as she set drinks down in front of Rachel and Melissa. They didn't really want to turn down a free drink, knowing they came to drink and have fun.

“Please tell me you ladies are going to call a cab,” Tim said, watching them down drinks with bravado.

“In a little while,” Rachel told him, giving him a smile. She was feeling very good, and tipsy. She looked over at Melissa who was talking to Andrew. “Mind if I ask how long you've been together?”

“Not at all,” Tim said reaching under the table to grab his boyfriend's hand. “We've been together for six months. It's still not...acceptable in most places, but we've decided we just don't care. What about you and your girlfriend?”

Rachel gave him a wide eyed look and shook her head. “Mel and I are best friends, but not together. I have a boyfriend and Mel's recently single.” Lance would get a laugh out of it that someone asked if she and his sister were a couple.

“All the good guys are either taken or gay,” Melissa told Tim, making him shrug and Andrew laughed.

*^*^*^*^*^*^

“That's when it gets a little hazy,” Rachel admitted, sitting up once more. Her stomach growled and she couldn't believe it but she was hungry. “I vote we order room service and just hang out here for the day. Go down to the pool later,” she suggested, smiling after Melissa nodded. They perused the menu and decided on something light for lunch. After putting in the order, Rachel looked at their room.

“I'm going to take a shower and then pick up some of this stuff..at least my stuff got shoved into one corner,” she teased Melissa, laughing at the middle finger. “Sorry, you aren't my type,” Rachel told Melissa, shoving her goodnaturedly before getting up and going to grab some clothes. “I smell like an ashtray and a brewery. How attractive.”

“I doubt the guys minded,” Melissa waved her friend off, smiling wider. “But yeah, go take a shower. You reek,” she called out as Rachel shut the bathroom door.

“I heard that,” Rachel hollered back, turning the water on and letting it get hot. She studied her reflection in the mirror and was glad the streaks of mascara would wash off. She thought of Lance and JC seeing her last night and wondered if it mattered to them how she looked. It didn't, she knew, but it still was a question she wondered. Thinking of JC, she let a smile slip out that she couldn't wear in public. He was worried about her. He'd come with Lance to make sure she was alright. Of course Justin and Chris had too, so it wasn't that big of a deal, but still. Rachel sighed contentedly when the hot water hit her, the dull thud of her hangover headache lessening as she stood there, letting the steam build in the bathroom.


Melissa laid on the bed, fiddling with her phone. She knew the guys would have a break for lunch and she sighed. “Better now than later,” she muttered, hitting Joey's number in her call list. She listened to it ring and almost hang up before his voicemail came on when she heard it pick up.

“Joey has left the building, please deposit twenty five cents to continue,” Chris said, moving to where Joey couldn't get his phone.

“Chris, give the phone to Joey,” she said, not feeling like playing games.

Chris made a face and handed it over. “Be nice,” he said, not missing the look Joey gave him.

“One minute,” Joey said, making his way out of the studio to sit outside in an alley with a bench there. It was surrounded by other buildings and cut off from the public and no one else was out there. “Now...How are you?”

Melissa wanted to cry at Joey's words, even if the tone of his voice had a bite to it. “I'm fine, Joey-”

“Getting drunk enough to get into a fight and go to jail is NOT fine, Melissa Nicole! You better be fucking glad I didn't get called or you and Rachel would have been home last night. Do you know what could have happened to you? Do you?” he yelled, taking his frustrations out on her, needing some outlet.

She started to answer but was interrupted again before she could protest.

“If those guys would have gotten a hold of you,” Joey's voice shook as tears came. “I can't think about it...Or you had alcohol poisoning...or got sick and passed out. You or Rachel either one could have died. Do you even realize that?” Joey's voice was softer. “I know, Bambina. I know it feels like your world is the most fucked up place right now, cause mine is.”

“It's more than fucked up, Joey. It's like my soul is missing. And I can't get it back,” Melissa confessed, her voice quiet. “And no, last night, we weren't thinking about what could happen. We were getting free drinks, ya know? Guys were flirting with us...”

“Flirting how?” Joey's voice became pissed again.

“Nevermind,” Melissa said, curling up in bed. “I can't do this, Joey. I can't pretend to be happy when I'm not.”

“Welcome to my own personal Hell, Melly. We're in the same boat.”

She heard Joey's phone beep and him cuss. “I'll let you go, I know you're busy. Thanks for talking to me.”

“You could call you know...just to say hi,” Joey told her, muttering under his breath as his phone beeped again.

“It's easier if I don't. I can try to pretend your phone doesn't work and then I can forget you were mine and now you aren't.”

Joey nodded, not sure he understood, but if that's what she wanted. Of course if she asked him to cut his own heart out, he'd find something to do it with. The broken plastic spoon on the ground would work. “Okay then. Take care, Melly. I...” he had to stop himself from saying I love you, even though he did. “I'll see you later.”

“See ya, Joey.” Melissa hung up before he could, shoving her phone off the bed and listened to it thump on the carpet. “Ain't no lie, baby bye bye bye,” she sang quietly, sitting up and reigning in her tears before Rachel got out of the shower. She had to be happy, or at least look that way for her friend. Before she could dwell too much on the conversation between her and Joey, there was a knock on the door.

“Eat eat eat, all day long,” Melissa sang out loudly after the food had been set in the room and Rachel had cracked the bathroom door.

“Eat all you want, just no more alcohol,” Rachel admonished coming out in some capri's and a tshirt, her hair wrapped in a towel. She grabbed a piece of fruit and nibbled it.

“At least not until next time,” Melissa chuckled, throwing a grape at Rachel.

The phone rang and Rachel answered it, brightening up some when she listened to whatever the other person was saying, telling them thank you and hanging up. “Well, seems like we have friends in high places,” she told Melissa, who just nodded, waiting for her to go on. “The off duty cop that was at the club last night called and said he just dropped off my vehicle in the parking lot and the keys were in an envelope at the front desk.”

“I will never ask a cop if he wants a donut again,” Melissa said, crossing her heart as she tried not to laugh. “But I will ask if he wants a large Farve.”

“You're awful, Mel,” Rachel shook her head. “Sometimes I wonder if you weren't adopted from Chris' family. I mean, since you and him seem to have the same sick sense of humor. Actually, that's all the guys.”

“Come to the dark side, Rachel,” Melissa said, passing her hand in front of Rachel.

“I'm already there, I'm trying to get out.”
Chapter 21 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
Okay I am loving the reads and reviews. Enjoy this chapter. More happening with everyone in the story. Let me know if you like it. Mwah!
“Roseanne's on,” Rachel cheered, sticking her tongue out at Melissa as they flipped through channels. They'd eaten and now were laying on Rachel's bed watching television. Neither one of them felt up to doing anything yet, glad that neither one of them were sick. “You know you like this show,” she told Melissa as they settled in to watch.

“I know, I just like giving you grief over it,” Melissa replied. She watched as Roseanne mouthed Dan and he mouthed back something funny. She laughed and shook her head at the way it would all be resolved in half an hour. “You know, they make it look so easy. They get mad and get glad in the same show.”

“That's why we like TV,” Rachel pointed out, shrugging. “They make it simple to solve the problem.” Rachel let her mind wander, thinking of her and Lance, wedging JC in there. It wasn't a problem, at least yet. It was something she was going to think on and see where things went. Right now her priority was getting Lance through this tour. Her eyes cut to Melissa and saw her watching the show and frowning. “What's on your mind, Bass?”

Melissa shook her head. “Same thing it always is,” she sighed, laying face down on the bed. “I do have a question for you, though.”

“What's that?” Rachel hoped Melissa wouldn't stay like she was, her voice muffled.

Melissa sat back up against the headboard with the pillow behind her and sat there a few minutes before she spoke. She didn't want to imply anything or make Rachel mad. She knew her best friend wouldn't ever hurt her brother. At the same time, it was just the two of them and she could ask Rachel anything and it wouldn't leave the room. A sly smile crossed her face. “So you and JC seem to be...friendly. What's up with that?”

Rachel tried to not look surprised, making her facial expression impassive as she stared at the television. She wasn't sure what she should say, if she should even mouth the words she was thinking, of what happened after they'd left Joey's house. She heard herself talking, telling Melissa about going over to JC's and about the piano lessons. “And then we kissed. Just as a New Year's thing. It wasn't anything romantic.”

“You kissed JC? Josh kissed you?” Melissa squealed, looking at Rachel as if she hadn't been listening to the rest of what Rachel had said. She watched Rachel nod and sigh. Slipping her arm around Rachel, she hugged her. “I know you care about my brother and love him. Even though he's a pain in the ass...I know you aren't going to just leave him hanging. How do you feel about it all?”

That was the million dollar question. “I...” Rachel blew a breath out. “I'm not sure how I feel. I don't want to be hurt again, Mel. I know Lance won't hurt me and I want to be his girlfriend...” her voice trailed off.

“I'm waiting for a but.”

“But I like JC. He's quiet at home...He likes just hanging out and like Lance, he likes me for me. Not Rachel Weatherly, heiress to the Weatherly fortune,” Rachel rolled her eyes before continuing. “I can't say there's anything more to it than that as far as romance goes. I can't make him like me. I'm not sure if I even want that.”

“You know you want that. I mean, I want that...it won't happen for me, but I'm not going to lie and say I don't want someone to sweep me off my feet. It's two different situations though. You and Lance are pretending to be a couple. You and JC could be a real couple.”

Rachel sat there for a bit, fiddling with her phone, opening and shutting it. “I'm confused,” she finally voiced. “He's been there this whole time and now I decide to have feelings for him? Sounds about right.”

“When did these feelings start? I mean, you know I'm not going to judge you,” Melissa told Rachel, moving to sit indian style on the bed, wanting to hear what was on her friend's mind.

“We left Joey's...Lance wanted some time to himself, so JC said I could come over to his house...I told you that part,” she smiled a little at the memory of the kiss. “I can honestly say that I don't think he and I have ever had time alone to just talk. There wasn't a lull in the conversation. I didn't feel like I had to be anyone other than me. And Josh was just being...Josh. I guess I didn't realize how private he was until we were talking and he was giving me a tour of his place. I felt like I was seeing a different part of him, ya know?”

Melissa nodded, watching Rachel talk. “JC is protective of his life away from NSYNC. If he lets you into that part of him, it means he trusts you. Not that he didn't before, but it's not just something he opens up with.”

Rachel grinned wider at the comment, then frowned as her thoughts went to Lance. “Then what about me and Lance? I mean, I can't leave him hanging. I promised him that I would be his girlfriend through all this. He needs me. I'd be letting him down if I suddenly dumped him to date his best friend. I don't even know if JC wants to date me....” Rachel sighed heavily and leaned back against the headboard and closed her eyes. “It's all fucked up.”

“It's not fucked up. It's just...” Melissa tried to think of what she could say to make it better. “Okay, it's a little messed up, but it could be worse. My brother loves you, but not the way you want. He wants to be with a guy...Would you be mad at him or hurt if he found that while you and he were dating? Would you want him to keep dating you or would you let him go to see what happened?”

Rachel didn't hesitate in her answer. “I'd let him go. It still might hurt a little, but I'd want the best for him. It's different though, Mel..talking about it. My feelings for JC and his for a guy are two different things. I'm doing this to protect him from all those people who would hate him. You know that.”

Melissa knew Rachel was right. She was scared for her brother. Not for him liking another guy, but for the public, for the media and everyone who might suddenly turn against him. That didn't know him personally and would still judge him for his lifestyle. “Okay, so you can't think of it the same. If..If JC was in love with you and you were in love with him, would you want Lance to let you go?”

“I think so,” Rachel licked her lips as she thought. “I'm safe with Lance. He's not going to fall for me. I'm not going to fall for him. We're safe.”

“You're scared,” Melissa pointed out, smiling when Rachel glared at her. “Rachel's in looooove with JC,” she sang, screaming when a pillow hit her hard in the mouth. “What's that for?”

“I'm not in love with him, Bass!” Rachel felt a blush creep up over her neck to her cheeks and knew that was a lie. Maybe love wasn't quite the right word..Serious crush was better, slightly in love with the idea of being with him.

“So why is it when I say his name you have a little smirk on your face? Huh?” grabbing the other pillow, she tried to hit Rachel.

“I look for him in the room when I go in, even if I know he's going to be there,” Rachel confessed, hitting Melissa this time in the leg, both of them standing up on the bed, making it bounce as they walked on it, starting to laugh.

“'Oh JC, you're so hot. I want your body...hump the stage again,'” Melissa mimicked Rachel and thwacked her hard with the pillow to the side of the head. “HA! Got you.”

“You act like such a dork. You acted that way about Joey for years. I had to listen to you moon over him...it was the most awful thing ever,” Rachel pointed out, sticking her tongue out at Melissa.

“I guess payback's a bitch for me, huh?” Melissa smiled at her, shrugging. “Honestly, I think you should see what happens with it. I'm happy for you Rach. That you might let a guy back into your heart that's not my brother..well, gay, I mean. My brother would be an awesome husband. Wait, did I just say that?”

“I'm taping that so he can hear it.”

“You need help,” the two of them pillow fought until they were both out of breath and laughing, collapsing back onto the bed. “God, that's worse when you're hungover still,” Melissa pointed out, making a face.


“You're handling this better than I thought you were if I told you I thought I might like Josh Chasez,” Rachel pointed out, bumping her best friend with her shoulder.

“I don't want you or Lance hurt. I also don't want either of you to not like someone just because you are afraid of what someone might think. If my brother came to me and said he liked a guy, I'd probably cry. As much shit as I give him, he's a wonderful man and if he finds a guy he wants to date, then I will be happy for him. Liking someone doesn't mean you're going to just dump my brother for JC.”

Rachel nodded in agreement. “I want to take it slow. I'm having fun with Lance. It's what we have to do, ya know. Besides that, I have to go to give Joey a hard time while they're on tour.”

Melissa laughed. “You and Joey act like Lance and I do. I'd almost be jealous, other than Joey told me one time he couldn't like you because you were almost as tall as him.”

“What's wrong with that? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard of!” Rachel exclaimed, shaking her head. They'd made it through Roseanne and then a familiar song came on and she grinned. “Thank you for being a friend,” she sang.

“Travel down the road and back again,” Melissa sang with her as they watched The Golden Girls. “So what do you think we did in jail?” she asked after the show had started, laughing at Estelle Getty's character, “Sophia” as she said something off color to “Blanche”.

“From what I can remember, we sang. I remember snippets of stuff. You singing 'Bye Bye Bye' and us going over song titles, or something like that. And I think we sang 'I Drive Myself Crazy',” the girls talked longer about jail, laughing at the thought of them serenading the officers.

“Hopefully I didn't say anything about donuts or fuzzy handcuffs,” Melissa remarked, smiling at Rachel before getting up and stretching. “I vote we go swim and then come back and order dinner from somewhere and just veg.”

“I vote that we do just that,” Rachel told her, grinning. “Just for the record though, I still feel like ass.”

“Oh I still feel like I went ten rounds with Jose Cuervo, but it might be good for us to go for a swim. We could send a text to the guys telling them we're going out again,” Melissa's smile grew as she thought of the reactions from the guys. “Especially when we don't say where we're going. To the hotel pool,” she said innocently as she grabbed her bathing suit and Joey's jersey and some shorts to change into before going into the bathroom.

Rachel barked a laugh as she thought of what would ensue if they did send such a cryptic message. Probably a barrage of phone calls that would include words that weren't fit for her ears. “That's probably not a good idea,” Rachel said loudly, getting up to rifle through her clothes to find her bathing suit from Victoria's Secret, a one piece with cut outs. They'd found it on sale and she'd even convinced Melissa to buy one as well.

“Spoil sport,” Melissa came out, pulling the jersey up and grinning. “We're gonna be twins.”

“I'm not sure who's mom would be sorrier,” Rachel teased, hugging her friend before going to change.

“Probably my mom if I was your twin..she'd have to just put up with Lance. We both know I'm her favorite,” Melissa told Rachel, laughing.

“Lance tried to sell you when you were little. He offered you for ten bucks to your Grandma Louise and she said no. So that's where you rank.”

The two of them traded jabs back and forth as they walked down the hall towards the elevator.

“Rich bitch.”

“NSYNC hoe,” Rachel giggled as an older couple came out of their room right at the moment Rachel said that, both of them stopping short.

“Don't make me make you part of the slap a hoe tribe,” Melissa said, snapping her fingers in a “Z” pattern in front of her.

“You stared at the orange juice box because it said concentrate.”

“Whatever.” They laughed when the old couple joined them in the elevator standing as far away as they could from the girls. “How are you today?” Melissa asked, getting a glare from the older woman. “Fine, I didn't want to be polite to you anyways.”

“Mel!” Rachel gasped, surprised at her friend.

“It's okay, girls,” the older man spoke up, giving them a knowing smile. “She was a bitch when I married her forty years ago.”

“My condolences then,” Rachel finally responded with a smile playing at her lips.

“Glad to know the sanctity of marriage is safe with you then,” Melissa called out to them as they exited the elevator and going towards the exit while the girls went to the pool. She smiled at Rachel as they got there to see they had the pool and hot tub to themselves. “Score!”

“You say that so jubilantly. I should be worried,” Rachel told her, putting a towel on one of the chairs along with her flip flops and cover up. She laughed as her friend balled up her jersey and tossed it in the chair along with her stuff. “You're so dysfunctional.”

“I put the fun it dysfunctional,” Melissa commented, testing the pool, screaming as Rachel pushed her in. She came back up sputtering and glared. “One of these days I'm gonna whip your ass.”

“In your dreams,” Rachel told her, jumping into the pool a few feet away and surfacing.

“No, in my dreams I am Godzilla and you are Tokyo.”

Rachel chuckled as she started swimming laps, Melissa joining her as they swam back and forth for a while. It was a good way to clear her mind, thinking of the number of strokes it took to get across the pool, then back, letting the sound of the water rushing over her head and body calm her. It also helped what little bit of hangover she had dissipate. She stopped after thirty laps, waiting for Melissa to stop as well. “What do you think?” Rachel raised an eyebrow at Melissa who was breathing hard as they bobbed up and down in the water.

“JC and Rachel sitting in a tree k-i-s-s-ing,” she sang, yelping when Rachel splashed her, getting out to go sit in the hot tub. “You know you like it!” she yelled after her, getting out of the pool herself.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

“The pizza will be here in twenty minutes,” Melissa said, leaning back on her bed, pillows stacked behind her. Her hair was wet and she wasn't going to bother drying it since there wasn't anyone to impress. She and Rachel had come back from their trip to the pool and gotten showers then decided on dinner. Now they were trying to find a movie to watch.

She heard Rachel's phone ring and looked at the time. “My brother must be checking in to make sure we didn't go partying again.”

“After last night, I'm not sure we need to go anywhere,” Rachel told her, looking at caller ID and trying to suppress a smile. It was JC's name that showed up. “Hello?”

“Hey, I was told to call and check to make sure you hadn't went back and decided to pick a fight with someone in nursing home or something,” JC joked, sitting in the break room of the building dance rehearsals were in. “I thought I would call before the rest of the guys got in here and were being too noisy to hear.”

“Well I'm glad you called Josh,” Rachel flipped her friend off who was making kissy faces, throwing a pillow at her. “I sent Melissa on a mission to the lobby to find any Hanson fans and put them in a full Nelson. Someone could take her...make my life quieter.”

JC laughed, “That's awful,” he said, wincing as he lifted up his foot and stretched his leg. Pain went up and down, his muscles protesting all the work they'd done today. Wade had taken no prisoners and his body had protested. “So are you still feeling like you drank half the bar or anything?”

“Not quite. Still not ourselves all the way...Thanks for coming with Lance to get us. I didn't expect the cavalry to show up.”

“Well, I wasn't about to let the rest of those goons come and leave me sitting on the couch. Besides, you rocked my part in 'I Drive Myself Crazy',” he said with a chuckle, hearing Rachel's embarrassed laugh.

“Oy, Josh's on the phone,” Chris yelled as he came in, flopping down next to JC. “Who ya talkin' to? Someone we know?” he asked, smiling when JC gave him a bad look.

“As you can see, I was joined by Chris,” JC took the phone away from his ear and put it on speaker and sighed. “Say hi Chris.”

“Hi Chris,” Chris said with a laugh.

“You're a dork, Christopher.”

“Oooo you called Lance's woman. How ya feeling? Wanna go party tomorrow?” Chris laughed at Rachel's mean comment and shrugged even though she couldn't see him. “Where's Melly? She's quiet.”

Melissa just smiled and shrugged. “I was listening to you talk. Couldn't get a word in...”

The girls listened as the rest of the guys came in and said hello. All of them talking randomly into the phone. Rachel raised her eyebrow when Joey didn't say much and neither did Melissa, usually they wouldn't shut up if one of them was on the phone. “How was practice today, Joey?”

“It was bad, Rach. Let's not talk about it. How are you and Melly? Feeling better?”

“I just opened up a twelve pack, Fatoney.”

Rachel groaned as Joey started cussing. “She's kidding, Joey...” she told him in a loud voice. “We're waiting on pizza and just hanging out.”

“Dude, I've never seen your eye twitch,” they heard Justin say. “You pissed him off, Chica.”

Melissa rolled her eyes and then frowned when her phone rang and Joey's name came up. “Apparently enough to call...” she went into the bathroom and shut the door. “Hi, Joey,” she said in the sweetest voice she could, closing her eyes when he started yelling in Italian.

Joey paced in the empty studio room they had been in, his voice echoing off the mirrors as he yelled at her in a different language. He stopped when he heard her sniffle, leaning against the wall as he tried to calm down. “You know exactly how to push my fuckin' button, Bambina,” he sighed, sliding down the wall until his ass hit the floor.

“I was kidding, Joey. I don't want to drink again for a long time.”

“Never sounds like a good time,” Joey countered, moving to get comfortable.

“It was one night of drinking Joey. We..You and me, have been out drinking before,” Melissa exclaimed, not seeing what the big deal was. They hadn't gotten as drunk as she and Rachel were last night, but still. They'd had enough to be tipsy and have to be driven home. “Why are you on my ass about this? I mean, you aren't my boyfriend or fiance or brother...”

“So you're gonna start with that jab now? Thanks a fucking lot..” Joey growled at her, shaking his head.

“I didn't mean it like that and you know it, Joe!” Melissa's mouth fell open and she covered it with her free hand. Shaking her head quickly back and forth, she knew she'd made a mistake. Calling Joey 'Joseph' was in fun, when she was aggravated, Joe was taboo from her lips. To him it was like she thought of him like everyone else did. He'd told her once that if she called him Joe, it would be worse than slapping him. “Joey, I-”

“Do whatever in the hell makes you happy, Melissa. If you want to get drunk and get killed in a car wreck or alcohol poisoning, have at it. Do whatever in the hell you want. Since I guess what I think doesn't seem to fucking MATTER ANYMORE!” Joey yelled as loud as he could into the phone. “You're right, I'm not your daddy or your brother or anything else. Just Joe,” he said, pain coming through in his voice. He sucked in a breath and leaned his head back against the wall, listening to her cry.

“Why are we fighting? I hate fighting with you,” Melissa finally said, trying to pull herself together.

“We aren't fighting, Bambina. Arguing...” Joey told her. “I can't just switch off my feelings, Mel. I still love you. I care about you..I worry about you. You're still my friend, I'm allowed to do that.” He got quiet and wished she was there with him, sitting next to him instead of him being alone. Well, he wasn't alone. His four bandmates were there, but Joey knew it wasn't the same.

“I know,” Melissa sighed, getting up from the floor in the bathroom, “I wake up at night and lay there and think about you sleeping. That damn marionette doll isn't the same as you..it doesn't snore or talk in its sleep. But he's cute.”

Joey chuckled, shaking his head. “Ya found my substitute already. I should be hurt.”

“There's no substitute Joey,” Melissa told him, smiling. “I want my baby back,” she sang after a moment, trying to be funny. She heard Rachel still talking and then a knock on the door. “The pizza's here,” she swallowed a lump of emotions, pushing them back. “I need to go pay...” she left it hanging there, not wanting to tell him goodbye but the tears department was quickly trying to make itself known.

“Just got paid, it's Friday night,” Joey sang back to her before shutting his phone after telling her he'd talk to her later. “I want my baby back too, Melly,” he said to his closed phone. Joey took a couple deep breaths wiping a tear that had escaped. He knew he was a mess and talking to Melissa was a good thing and at the same time it cut a little bit more. Joey knew he wasn't ready to give her up just yet. His heart wouldn't let him.

*^*^*^*^*

“There's Joey,” Lance said, watching Joey trudge back in and sit down in a chair. “How's my sister?” he asked Rachel, patting Joey's shoulder as he walked past him.

“Doing alright and miserable at the same time,” Rachel told him, watching Melissa grab some money out of her purse and laughed when her friend flipped her off. “Next time, I'll bring you on a mini vacation.”

Lance laughed, “Right now I think I'd be beaten up if I didn't show up for practice or something. We have media stuff starting next week. Touring starts in a few weeks. You'll be lucky to see me at bedtime.”

“I'll come see you at bedtime, Rachel!” Chris yelled into the phone, laughing when Lance pushed him. “What? You wanna go?” Chris acted like he was going to bow up on Lance, wincing when Justin gave him a head slap.

“Our pizza's here and you have dorks to deal with. Call me later. Love you, Lance.” Rachel smiled genuinely when she heard him say it back. It gave her a good feeling to hear him say the words, knowing he meant them. She meant them too, but briefly her mind went to the other man that occupied a lot of her thinking time. JC. She wondered what it would be like for him to tell her that he loved her. Her stomach flip flopped at the thought, grinning. She caught a movement out of the corner of her eye and laughed, covering her mouth.

'Oh Josh, I want to have your babies,' Melissa had written on one of the paper plates they'd grabbed on their way back up from the pool. She was grinning like an idiot, tossing it at Rachel.

“What?” Lance asked, confused as he heard laughter break out.

“Nothing. Your sister is nuts! I am going to kill her with a rusty spoon...Bye!” Rachel yelped, hanging up the phone and bounding off her bed to get Melissa. “You're a pain in the ass.”

“I won't tease you after this, I just had to,” Melissa said, kicking at her friend as the pizza box slid towards the other end of the bed. “You'll put the pizza in the floor...”

Rachel shrugged, “What do I care? You paid for it.” Her smile grew as she got Melissa's ankle and pulled, smiling at her friend's screams. She smirked when Melissa fell unceremoniously in the floor between their beds and she sat down with the pizza box. “Oh my dearest pizza pie, where art hast thou been?” she grabbed a slice and looked down at her friend. “This is damn good.”

“Next time I'm fighting back. I'll go all kung fu on your ass.”

“Bring it on Bruce Lee. I'm shaking in my boots,” Rachel pushed Melissa back down into a heap in the floor and laughed. “Sometimes it's just too easy, Bass.”

“I know you are, but what am I?” Melissa smiled cheekily at Rachel, getting back up and sitting on the bed and grabbing a slice of pizza and folding it in half long ways and taking a bite. “What?” she asked, looking at Rachel.

“I think you really are going crazy,” she said with a straight face. “I'm telling your parents to have you tested.”

“They did. I came back normal. Maybe it's you,” Melissa quipped, shrugging. “No one ever claimed you were mentally stable.”

“Only after I hung out with you,” Rachel pointed out as the girls scooted back onto one bed, the pizza box between them. “Love ya, Bass.”

“I heart you too, Weatherly.”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^


“God damn,” Joey said, stepping into his house, not sure what was going on. He'd forgotten he'd given Kristen a house key and his eyes narrowed at her in the kitchen. “What is that smell?” he asked, his stomach suddenly not hungry. His day had been trying and all he'd wanted to do was come home and relax.

“Salmon,” Kristen said, smiling sweetly at him, obviously proud of herself for cooking. “What?” she gave him a look as he raised an eyebrow. “You need to eat healthier.”

“No, I need to eat. I don't like salmon,” he walked to the fridge and opened it, staring at what was in there. “Where the hell is the beer? There was a bottom shelf full...” he growled, slamming the door shut.

“I got rid of it,” Kristen told him simply, surprised when Joey started cursing in English, switching to Italian. “How was your day?” she asked in the middle of his tirade.

“You come in and get rid of MY shit and then ask HOW my day was? Is there anything else I should know about that's left my house? Do I need to catalog the fucking place every time I leave?” Joey yelled, making her flinch and grab her stomach. That shut him up and he turned, his knuckles gripping the chair at the bar so tight they were white. He took a few deep breaths and closed his eyes. He thought of his child that Kristen was carrying and tried to calm down. “For the love of God, Kristen...don't touch stuff that's not yours. And I'm not eating dinner. Not hungry.”

Kristen watched as Joey left, poking the cooking fish a little. He could eat what she fixed or he could go hungry, she reasoned. “He needs to thin up a little anyway,” she muttered, rolling her eyes when she heard the shower going and him singing loudly. Kristen was not going to wait until after the baby was born to marry Joey. She wanted to get married soon and she was going to tell him that after dinner. Or maybe during dinner since he wasn't going to eat. She didn't really care as long as she got her way. So far things had been going along just fine for the most part. From what she could gather, his ex girlfriend was miserable. As long as she was out of Joey's life, Kristen could deal with everything else.
Chapter 22 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
Enjoy this chapter. Thank you all so much for reading and for those who review, you make my day!! So glad I found this site and am excited to post more on this story and other things. Thanks to my beta as well, not sure what I would do without her.
“Joey where the hell are you?” Kristen snarled into her phone on the voice mail to Joey. She'd called twice before now with no answer and they had an appointment to go to the courthouse and go pick up the marriage license and he was supposed to take her out to eat. Kristen looked around Joey's house, glad that he'd been gone most of the time. She'd taken it upon herself to decorate and buy things she thought would look good. He'd even not protested when she started buying groceries to bring over. It was healthy stuff, getting rid of the pizza and beer routine, the Chinese food found it's way to the trash can the next day. Joey had slimmed up a little in the past couple of weeks. And with her mother's help, she'd gotten wedding invitations mailed out after having Joey's mom and sister help with addresses from their side of the family. She rolled her eyes when her phone finally rang. “What are you doing, we're supposed to go get our marriage license...”

Joey stood outside of the door to rehearsals rubbing his forehead. “Shit. Kris, we can't go today. We have to get at least half of this done tonight or Wade's going to make us run stairs until we puke.”

“You're so full of it, Joey,” Kristen told him, sighing. “You know what, nevermind. We'll just call everyone and tell them the wedding got moved back because you were too busy to take an hour out of your schedule to go to the courthouse with me...Maybe you can explain it to our kid why you didn't want to get married before they were born.”


"Don't start Kristen," Joey pinched the bridge of his nose, feeling a headache beginning to form. "You know this is a busy time. We have been busting our asses to learn a new routine for the tour not to mention we have a video to shoot thrown into the middle of it. I fly out to Los Angeles in a couple days... I have a schedule to keep that I can't just run out in the middle of the day with a 'sorry guys, gotta go'."


"Is this what's it's going to be like when the baby is born?" Kristen shot back, her own anger raising. "Sorry kid, but I got to go sing and dance?"


Joey breathed deep and closed his eyes, counting in his head. "This is my job Kristen. You know this is what I do and you know there will have to be sacrifices." He looked up with the door opened and Lance stuck his head out. He held up a finger in his direction. They had been given a ten minute break which he had used calling her.
“I have lunch break later. Meet me down there and then we can grab something to eat. I'll call you..it'll be at least another couple of hours,” he said quickly, walking in behind Lance. “I've gotta get off the phone,” he bristled when her voice told him she loved him. “Yeah, love you too.” He tossed his phone in his bag as he walked by, ignoring Wade's look.

“I thought marriage was supposed to be a happy time,” Wade said, raising an eyebrow when Joey glared. “So I've been wrong before, we're starting at the top with Celebrity,” he said, hitting the play button and watching the guys all in position in the mirror. “Chris, shoulders back. JC, good. Justin, bring your left leg in. Lance, scoot a foot to your right. Joey, smile. Millions of girls are not paying to see you look pissed off.”

“What about pissed on?” Chris asked with a grin as they started dancing, laughing at the look Joey gave him in the mirror.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“I need your drivers license, social security card, and birth certificate,” the lady behind the desk at the County Clerk's office said, looking annoyed when Joey cussed. “Hold on,” he said, ignoring Kristen's snort, pulling his phone out. His birth certificate was at his house. “Janine, are you at home?” he asked his sister as he went into the hallway, groaning when she wasn't. “I need my birth certificate..it's at the house.”

“Call Mom or Dad, or Steve,” she suggested. “Can you tell them exactly where it is?”

Joey figured it was in the fireproof safe in the master bedroom closet. “Yeah, I think so.”He saw Kristen looking pissed and waving him back in the door. “I'll try them in a minute,” he hung up and looked at his fiance. “What?”

“Nothing...I thought you'd have remembered the stuff for us to get married.”

“Don't start. I'm going to call and see if my Mom can bring it,” Joey said, calling his mother. It took her half an hour, but he grinned big when his mother pulled in and parked, hugging her.

“You're sure about this?” Phyllis Fatone asked Joey softly as she hugged him. It was no problem getting the information, but she'd sat there a few minutes in the chair in the master bedroom, trying to get a handle on her feelings about the situation. As much as she loved the thought of a grandbaby, she wanted her son happy as well.

“Yes. Thanks for bringing this,” Joey held the piece of paper and hugged her once more. “Smile, Mom.”

“I should be telling you that,” she goosed Joey in the ribs and smiled at Kristen who was waiting on the steps. “How are you dear?”

“Hi, Mrs. Fatone,” Kristen greeted the older woman giving her a light squeeze. “I'm alright, I was just surprised Joey didn't bring everything.”

“It's not like I'm sitting at home every day..I was in Miami last night after rehearsals doing a photo shoot,” Joey told her as he gave the clerk the rest of his information. Ten minutes later he was getting a reciept for a marriage license, handing it to his mother. “You can hold on to this and bring it back home after we get married right?” he asked, watching her nod. “Great. Thanks, Mom. I gotta get back to rehearsals.” He kissed her and then kissed Kristen. “You happy now?” he asked, smiling at little at her smiling. It was better than listening to her gripe.

“Not that you have to run off, but it's work. Maybe your mom and I can go do some shopping or something since you have to go,” Kristen grinned when Phyllis nodded. She waved by to Joey, smiling when he drove off. She had his black Visa and had planned on using it even before his mother showed up. “There's this cute baby store I saw downtown,” she told her almost mother in law, putting a hand on her stomach, telling her the name of it. “They had some of the most adorable things for a boy or girl.”

Phyllis just nodded. She'd heard of the store and thought it was over priced. Not that she didn't want good things for her first grandchild, but there was such as thing as something good and being ridiculous. However, she wasn't willing to argue with the younger woman. “I'll meet you there and maybe then we can have some lunch. I'll call Joe and have him meet us then.”

“Alright. It will be some good family bonding time,” she said brightly, going to get in her car.

“Oh, Joseph what have you done?” Phyllis muttered after she'd gotten in her own vehicle and turned it on. The whole family wanted to like Kristen, but it was still hard for Phyllis. She could tell her son was holding back his real emotions and she knew he was hurting. She also knew that Kristen was a completely different person than Melissa. It wasn't fair to compare the two, but Phyllis caught herself doing it and trying not to. She had to love Kristen for who she was. And that was Joey's soon to be wife and mother of his child. She called up the one person she talked to when she needed honest advice. “Sofia, how are you?”

“I'm well, mia cara. What is on your mind?” the older woman had a smile in her voice.

“Would it be wrong of me to not like my future daughter in law? Is that allowed?” she asked, afraid of hearing the answer. She was sure Sofia wasn't her biggest fan when she and Joe Senior got married, but it hadn't ever been a bad or strained relationship between them.

“Si, it is allowed. I got my invitation in the mail...I thought about replying that I wouldn't be attending..however I thought about my Joey's face if his Nona was no in presence and it hurt my heart. So I will be there, even if it's with reservations.” Sofia informed her daughter in law, sighing. “If he has happiness, that is all I wish for. And a healthy baby,” she added, talking a bit more about other family and what was going on in New York. “Take care, mia cara. Tell my Joey his Nona said she loves him.”

Phyllis smiled, nodding even though the other woman couldn't see. “I will. See you in a few weeks.” She hung up and sat there in the parking lot, putting a smile on her face and saying a quick prayer for everything to go right as she got out of the car.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“Okay, Joey get on the middle lift,” Wade told him as they were underneath the stage, a couple of the stage hands there to help with practicing the entrance to the first song. The lifts had been sticking once in a great while and all of the guys were trying to work the kinks out of it. The stage set up had been replicated in Los Angeles and the group was there rehearsing.

Joey had been on the lifts ten minutes before and nothing significant had happened and he wasn't expecting it to now. It was easy, the lift shot him up onto the stage as he helped momentum and jumped, making the effect bigger. “Let 'er rip,” he told them. When it did nothing, he stood there, wondering what was wrong. All at once, the lift shot up and Joey's leg got caught between it and the metal part around it. “Oh fuck! Stop the damn thing!” Joey yelled as pain shot through his leg and he tried to yank it free. It took a minute, and he laid there holding his leg as the workers got it free.

The other guys had been watching from the back of the stage and rushed over to their friend.

“Fuck dawg, it looks bad,” Justin told him, looking worried. They had a physician on hand who was there almost as quick as the rest of the band.

“Can you move your leg?” Chris asked as the doctor was questioning Joey.

“We're taking you to the ER by ambulance.”

“Great,” Joey groaned, not really caring, other than he wanted to quit hurting. His leg looked gruesome and hurt like hell. He looked at the worried faces of his four friends. “It's just a flesh wound,” he tried to joke, yelling when he tried to put weight on it, not wanting to be picked up and put on the gurney at the end of the stage. He started sweating and relented as his friends helped him.

“Who do you want me to call?” Lance asked, his phone in hand after they'd gotten Joey over to the gurney and EMTs.

“Call my parents...” he gave Lance a look, sighing. “And Kristen I guess.”

Joey was instructed to lay back and he was put into the ambulance as the medical personnel asked him questions about his medical history. He answered all of them, except for when he had a tetanus shot. He knew it was probably when he was little. The blood didn't bother him, but the deep wound in his leg did. “Hey Rick, glad you could come with me.”

The security guy smiled and nodded. “It's my job, man. Besides, there's always something. This is better than the time you got stuck on the bus with no air conditioning and girls were swarming. That was awful. This is easy compared to that.”

“God that bus got rank fast,” Joey said, remembering them not wanting to open the door for fresh air. He grimaced as they moved his leg. “Fuck that hurts!” he said, looking at the EMT. “Ya gonna give me any pain medication?”

“Not until we get to the hospital and see how the wound is. I think we can just clean it and bandage it up after stitches. It's a deep wound but not big. They'll probably want to do an X-Ray to see if its broken.”

“My whole leg's throbbing and he says it's just a flesh wound,” Joey rolled his eyes at Rick and sighed as the ambulance stopped. “I'm not signing shit unless it's papers from the hospital,” he called out to the other man who stepped off the ambulance ahead of him. Right now he wasn't Joey Fatone, celebrity. He didn't want the attention, just to be treated and go to the hotel.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Lance's phone rang and he sighed. He'd been fielding phone calls for the last two hours from their manager Johnny, Kristen and Joe Senior. He didn't mind, but it was getting old fast. They were sitting in a waiting room that was separate from the other part of the hospital. Wade and the rest of the guys were there, along with Mo and one of their PR people.

“Hello?” he said, listening to the voice on the other end. “Slow down, Mel. Take a deep breath,” Lance told her, putting his hand on his head. Of course he should have called his sister, figuring someone else did. His eyes snapped to Justin's. “He told you WHAT?”

Justin looked away from Lance, “It was a joke, dawg. I didn't know she'd freak the fuck out,” he started before Lance hit him hard in the shoulder.

“What did you do?” JC asked, his eyes wide as Lance left the waiting room with Mo.

“I called Mel and told her Joey was hurt. Then informed her they had to use a sawz all to get his leg free.”

“Jackass,” Chris huffed.

“Bite me if she can't take a joke,” Justin muttered, flopping back in his chair as Mo came back without Lance.

*^*^*^*^*

“He's fine, Melissa. I'm looking at him right now. His leg is intact, just bandaged,” Lance said as he stepped into Joey's room, bumping fists with Rick. “They're giving him some pain meds...Yes, I will kill Justin.”

Joey looked at Lance, “What did he do?” Joey asked, holding his hand out for the phone. “Gimme the phone, Bass.” He didn't care that right now he wasn't feeling any pain and that he world was spinning. “Talk to me, Bambina.”

“I'm going to kill that curly haired freak. He told me you were hurt! And that your leg had to be cut with a sawz all and you were in surgery!” Melissa's voice rose as she talked, mad and scared. “Are you alright?”

Joey half smiled at her voice. “Nothing a little pain management won't fix. I get a break from Wade's slave driving and watch tv all day for the next few days. They're giving me meds and a cane.”

“Old man,” Melissa teased, listening to him chuckle. “Need me to send you some depends too?”

“Alright, smartass. I'm fine, Melly. I promise. And the cane's not for my age,” Joey told her, listening to her fuss over him before telling her he'd talk to her later and handed the phone back to Lance. He listened to his friend talk and then say goodbye. “She'll be alright,” he told Lance, leaning back against the bed.

“I know. This sucks though, we have that video shoot for Pop. You can't dance. We can't have an NSYNC video with four people.” Lance wasn't worried about anyone being mad that Joey was hurt, just that logistically they needed all five NSYNC members to be present.

“I will use the Force and channel my Jedi powers,” Joey told Lance with a chuckle, groaning as his phone rang. “Dear god, what do you people want?” he asked the object as it rang and he answered. “Yes? I'm fine, Kristen. It's just a deep gaping hole in my leg. They're putting stitches in it. No, I'm not coming home,” Joey listened to her talk and telling her he loved her before hanging up. “They don't show this shit on VH1 and MTV,” he muttered. The only coherent thought he had was that he wanted out of the hospital, awkwardly pulling his shorts on with the nurses' help. “If I'd have known my leg was going to try and detach itself from the rest of my body, I would have worn my Superman chonies,” he told the nurse, getting her to smile.

“He's even worse when he's not drugged,” Rick informed her, holding the wheelchair for Joey, listening to him cuss when his leg got accidently jostled around. “You got it, Joe?”

“We're ready to rock and roll. Let's get the rest of the circus and blow this joint.” Joey had his phone and wallet, along with his prescriptions and discharge papers. “I wish your sister was here,” he told Lance, handing him the prescriptions. “She could go get this shit without causing a fuss. Now we gotta send Laurie,” Joey gave her a small smile.

“Oh Joey. It's my job,” Laurie told Joey, patting his shoulder.

“What meds am I allergic to?” Joey asked her, smirking when she paused, hitting speed dial on his phone. “What am I allergic to?” he said to the phone, having put it on speaker.

“Amoxicillan and sulfa,” they heard Melissa's voice say.

“Okay, thanks Bambina. Talk at you later,” Joey said, hitting end on the phone. “See? Easier.”

Laurie just rolled her eyes and smiled. She knew Joey was in a mood and drugged. She'd take a lot of shit before she got pissy with the guys and they knew it, not trying to make her mad on purpose. “I'll make sure I know that now.”

“Works for me, just get me to the hotel. I have date with a pain pill and the back of my eyelids.”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“Chris said there was a meeting?” Justin asked, coming in from his room to Lance's, seeing the other three guys sitting at the small table beside the bed. Their rooms were all on the same hallway, with the rest of their entourage on the floor and security roaming the hall.

“Yeah,” JC nodded as the youngest member of NSYNC sat down on the end of the bed. “There is no way around doing the shoot for this video. Wayne has everyting set up to roll tomorrow and we have to do this even if Joey can't do anything.”

“How in the fuck do you think that'll happen?” Justin asked, getting up when there was a knock on the door. It was Wade and he sat next to Justin, listening to them talk.

“Joey will have to do some of the stuff, the head shots for the video and close ups. But...” JC's eyes met Wade's. “Wade suggested something earlier.”

“I can be Joey's body double. We're almost the same height and weight. I know the dance moves,” Wade explained to all of them, waiting to hear what they would think.

“If that's what we have to do then that will work,” Lance said, giving their choreographer a smile and thumbs up. “And don't forget MTV will be doing a making of the video starting tomorrow. We get video cameras to take around...”

“I don't want to see anyone's ass crack on tv,” JC said, glaring at Chris.

“You should be telling that to Joey,” Chris said, trying to look innocent.

“So, the plan is to have Wade do the body stuff and Joey do the up close shots,” Justin said, the plan coming together in his head. “Has Wayne okayed the idea?” he asked.

“I talked to him for a few minutes earlier,” Chris told Justin. “He was open to the whole thing, but wanted all of our input. He said the show must go on. I shudder to think of the sleep I'll be missing the next couple of days.”

“That's no damn lie,” JC groaned, running a hand through his hair. “So if we're good, gentlemen, I'm calling it a night.” He stood up and went to his room. JC picked up his phone and responded to his texts, grinning at the last one he'd received. 'I'll trade you a music video for a firm that hasn't had books correct since '98. Grandpa's going to go off...looks like a Big Gulp night'. He shouldn't feel so happy Rachel had texted him, but he enjoyed their banter.

'Don't work too hard. All work and no play makes it boring. Did you hear Joey hurt his leg?'

JC stripped off his shirt and jeans, kicking them off next to his suitcase, grabbing a pair of shorts and his toothbrush. His phone beeped and he smiled at the reply.

'What do you think? Had to play Dr. Phil for an hour.'

JC got ready for bed and snuggled under the covers. He looked at his phone again and sent off a text. 'Tough situation for everyone involved. Hard to act happy for Joey'

'I know. Lend a shoulder to Mel, then smile for Joey like he hadn't broken my best friend's heart.It's rough, C'

'She's lucky to have you as a friend. Got an early morning. Burn some midnight oil for me, Rach.' His phone buzzed and he smiled. 'Sweet dreams Josh' was the reply.

JC hadn't had much time to really think about his and Rachel's “relationship”. It wasn't anything more than friendship, but in his mind he wanted there to be more. His imagination kept going off where it didn't need to. He knew the reason for Rachel being with Lance and wondered just how much of it was them pretending and if any of it could be real. And that little jealous part of him came out. He'd enjoyed the time he'd gotten to spend with Rachel on New Year's, wishing that could happen more often. It had been a long time since he'd wanted to even think about having a girlfriend, not wanting the hassle or insecurity of someone else if a fan hugged him a little too tightly or he hugged another friend that was female. He looked over his messages and smiled. Rachel was different. Now if he could just get his mind from going down the road it had no business going, it would be just fine.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Rachel rubbed her eyes and looked at the clock down at the bottom of her computer. It was nearing three in the morning. When she'd told JC goodnight via text, she'd fielded more texts from Melissa and a few from Lance. She'd finally told both of the Bass siblings she had to get to work, leaving her phone on silent and plugged in on the kitchen counter. She'd come home to work, the first time she'd been there in a while since she and Lance had started dating. It felt almost odd, other than most of her stuff was there. It was quiet, no sports or reality show on television and people going in and out from Lance's. She was glad when she got to the end of the year for the business and made sure all of the discrepancies had been tabbed and marked. She double checked her figures and emailed it all to her grandfather's secretary to print out and be on his desk by the latest at 8 a.m that morning. Shutting her computer, Rachel got up and went to her phone. “10 text messages and three missed calls...geez,” she muttered, scrolling through her phone. Two texts from Lance, eight from Melissa. Then she got to her voice mail and hit 1 to retrieve them.

“Rachel, I need you to fly out to Los Angeles first thing tomorrow to go see about the books at a couple new firms. One is in Thousand Oaks and the other is over in Hollywood. Harold said he was available to fly you out on one of the company jets, just call the airport. Your hotel is paid for until Wednesday,” he gave her the information of the hotel and car rental. He knew he had secretaries and PR people to do this sort of thing, but Rachel knew as her grandfather, he wanted to tell her himself what he wanted. She wrote down what she needed to know and closed her phone. At least if she was up early, maybe she could talk to Lance before they got started shooting for the day.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“You're up,” Lance said, surprised when Rachel answered her phone and looked at the time. “Your last text was around three this morning.” It was almost five in the morning in California.

“I know, I'm packing a bag to come to Cali and do some work. My grandfather summoned me to hop across the U.S. I'm so lucky I get to do this,” she said sarcastically, tossing some pants into her open suitcase. “I should just go get the bag that's packed at your place. Drag your sister along.”

“She's up already,” Lance remarked, listening to Rachel chuckle. “I asked her what she was doing and she told me she was eating ice cream and watching old NSYNC videos. Do you think she needs to talk to someone?” he asked, grabbing his watch and slipping it on before buckling the clasp.

“She talks to me all the time. Mel will be alright. She's having to relearn how to do everything. It's like those people that lose a limb and have to relearn how to walk.”

"That sounds about right," Lance broke in. "You know Joey and Mel have been close since practically the very beginning of the group. It's always been Joey and Melissa; Melissa and Joey. Now that Joey's getting married," he stumbled across the word. He tried desperately to be happy for his friend, and he did wish him the best. But he just couldn't make himself be as happy as he should have been; not when it was tearing his little sister up.

"Yeah," Rachel's voice softened."It's gonna be rough. Mel's going to have to learn she can't turn to Joey like she has in the past. I know she knows it's over, but I don't think it's really truly hit her yet."

"That's what I'm worried about," Lance said honestly. "It will hit her that it's over and Joey's not coming back. I just hope that either you or I will be around her when it does. But with the tour coming up..." he let his voice trail off. His sister was going to be alone a lot. Normally she'd be on tour with them, not for the whole thing but a good majority of the dates she'd be there. And now, with what had happened between her and Joey, he wasn't sure if she'd come to any of them. And with him dating Rachel, Rachel would be coming along for a good majority of the shows.

"This sucks," Rachel sighed and sunk to her bed. The suitcase next to her. "Makes me never want to fall in love."

"You don't love me!" Lance's voice rose in shock. "What a horrible thing to say over the phone! I can't believe this..." He kept going causing Rachel to start laughing.

"You're a dork," Rachel said with laughter in her voice. "Of course I love you. But I'll love you even more if you can spare me thirty minutes later tonight."

"Oh baby," Lance's voice dropped. He grinned into the receiver. "Be a lot longer than that. I'm not sure if I could be offended by your laughter or not." He said as he listened to Rachel laugh. "I'm not sure I can give you thirty; I don't know how this is really going to work today with Joey not being able to shoot the full video. But I could probably give you at least five...ten if you're real lucky."

"Deal," Rachel said. The past couple of days had been lonely without Lance around. And that was strange. She hasn't realized just how much time they had been spending together either in person or on the phone or via text. "I think I'll bring Mel with me. Maybe that will cheer her up some."




“MTV's starting the 'Making The Video' thing today. Joey's whacked out on meds right now but I think he'll be up and around later. They can go commiserate together.”

“Put them together and pull them back apart. Not the best idea ever,” Rachel told him as she studied her suitcase, satisfied with what was in there. “Or it might be a good idea. Least neither one of them will be moping and have that 'my whole world ended' look. I'll let you know. I need to get off here,if I'm gonna drag Mel with me; I need to leave even sooner. See ya in a few hours. Love you, Lance.”

“Love you too, call me when you land.”

Rachel hung up and then called Melissa. “Pack a bag, you're going with me.”

“I hope it's to the Bermuda Triangle. Drop me off there,” she told her, getting off her bed and grabbing clothes. “Do I need anything fancy?” she asked, having no idea where she was being whisked off to. Melissa wanted to tell her no, but she didn't think she could stand being stuck at the house with no one in town besides her parents. She'd given though to going to Mississippi and seeing her grandparents, but this sounded like more an escape.

“No. I'm going to work and dropping you off at a video shoot. You can baby sit Joey,” Rachel replied, waiting to see how that went over.

“He's a grown man. I'm sure he's got all the help he needs,” Melissa's heart pounded, not sure how she felt. She'd gotten the wedding invitation in the mail and still hadn't opened it to respond with an RSVP. All of her things from Joey's except for her clothes were still boxed up, sitting in a corner in her room. “I'll go I guess. It will be good to see the guys...Sober that is.”

“Don't sound so excited. Kristen's not there, no one will care that you are there. Enjoy it,” Rachel told her, getting into her car. “I'm on my way to get you, be ready.”

“Thanks for making me feel better,” Melissa replied to Rachel, half teasing. She knew her friend didn't mean it like that, she knew the guys would care, just that the media wouldn't. “I'll see you in a little bit,” she told Rachel and hung up. Most of the clothes she and Rachel had gotten on their trip from Cocoa were still in their bags. She ripped off tags and stickers, tossing them in and grabbing her make up bag. Whatever she didn't bring she could buy. “Not like it matters,” she paused, fingering her ring on the chain. Melissa wanted to see Joey so much it hurt. At the same time, she wanted to go hide. She wanted to avoid him and the rest of the guys just to not have to think about what she was missing in her life. A crazy thought came to her and she wondered how it would work if she went through with it. Three thousand miles was a long ways to be from her friends and family. At the same time, she wouldn't have to be in a place that held so many memories. They were good memories, but when it came down to it, that's all they were. Things that had happened in the past that weren't going to be reclaimed except in her mind. She grabbed her phone charger and put it in her purse, sending out a text to her brother. 'Coming to CA with Rachel. Look out L.A.'

'If it's anything like Cocoa Beach, L.A. Might be in trouble.'

*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“Run, Christopher! Haul your ass!” Justin yelled at his friend as he chased him down with the golf cart, the video camera going. Mo and Rick were riding along, laughing as Chris yelled, trying to outwit Justin. “See? That's how you get work done around here, dawg,” he told the camera, smiling before he shut it off.

It had been a long day so far with Wade filling in for Joey. They'd gotten part of the shooting done and were now taking a break, the catering truck busy with everyone getting lunch. His eyes widened when he saw a familiar face sitting between Lance and JC. “Chica de mi vida,” Justin said, hugging her from behind, kissing her cheek. “When did you get here? How? No one told me you were flying out.”

Melissa hugged Justin back sort of since she hadn't turned around, shrugging since her mouth was full of food. “I didn't know either. Rachel told me to pack and so I did. Here I am,” she said with a smile after she'd swallowed.

Chris came bouncing in, a big smile on his face. “Joe's here!” he said, stopping short when he saw Melissa, running over to her and shoving Justin out of the way. “Melly! The band is back together again!”

“One of these days I'm so kicking your ass,” Justin told him, going out to find Joey, smiling when he spotted his friend. “Oh Joey,” he pretended to tear up, hugging his friend, slapping him on the back. “How's the cane? You can always beat someone with it.”

Joey smirked. “Beats the shot in the ass I got earlier. Where's lunch? I came at the right damn time.” Truth was, Joey was tired of sitting in the hotel room and didn't care if he was handicapped, he was getting out of that place.

“No shit, you won't believe who's here.”

Joey raised an eyebrow skeptically at the youngest band member. “Do you mean that in a good way or bad?” He couldn't ever tell as he hobbled towards where tables had been set up, hearing laughter and shouts. Pausing, he leaned on his cane at seeing Melissa sitting there. He swallowed hard, seeing her, a smile coming to his face.

“That's our Joey,” Justin murmured to himself, catching the other man's smile. He watched Melissa wiggle her fingers at him. She got up, making her way over to Joey before he got to where they were. He noted the slight pause between them before Joey opened his arms and Melissa melted into his embrace.

“Think she wants these?” Chris asked, watching them but grabbing Melissa's open bag of Lays.

“Nah. She's good,” Lance said, smiling. He grabbed his phone and snapped a picture and sent it to Rachel. 'Mission accomplished. Beauty and The Gimp.'

'Insanely jealous right now!' Rachel texted Lance, grinning at the picture.

He chuckled, raising an eyebrow as he typed.'That you're not hugging Joey?'

'That I'm not there! I'm gonna be seeing numbers in my sleep tonight.'


“You're okay.” Melissa said it as she looked Joey over carefully, grimacing at the bandage when he pulled up his jeans. “You're sure?” she couldn't keep the worry out of her voice watching him walk with the cane over to the table with food laid out.

“They call me Gimp Along Fatone,” Joey said, grabbing what he wanted to make a sub sandwich with, finally handing it to Melissa since she was putting everything on it anyway. “I can fix it, Bambina,” he told her after she asked what he wanted to drink.

“Shut up and let me do it. I can actually make a damn sandwich. I can't cook anything,” Melissa stuck her tongue out at him, shooing his hand away. “Besides that, I burned eggs again.”

“What?” Lance asked, his eyebrows raised. “Is that why the fans were on in the kitchen and living room last week? God...” he shook his head as Joey sat down on the end, scooting around to where his leg was protected from people walking around.

“Don't bitch, Lance,” Joey said, sighing at the sandwich. Not too much mayo and all the veggies he liked. “Better than the burnt offerings she tried to serve me. That chicken was black.”

“Burnt offerings. Yum,” JC quipped, watching Melissa's face turn red. “Maybe you should take those cooking lessons Justin got you for Christmas.”

Melissa nodded and sighed. “I might. Not much point in it now is there?” She let that thought die and sighed, catching a whiff of Joey's cologne. “I thought you were milking it today,” she told him, bumping his shoulder.

“Nah. Had to come keep Wayne in line. Besides, there's lots of hot girls here. I'm sitting by the hottest one,” Joey told her, throwing an arm around Melissa's shoulders and leaning on her, offering up his chocolate macadamia nut cookie.

'Does that line actually work?" Chris asked, happy to see Joey acting somewhat normal. At least he was in a better mood then he had been recently. It was nice to see the 'real' Joey come out.

"Not for you. You need a lot more help than that," Joey grinned when Chris flipped him the bird.

“Quit buttering me up,” Melissa told him, taking the cookie. “You want something,” she narrowed her eyes at Joey. “What do you want, Fatoney?”

Joey leaned in and smiled. “Hair sex,” he whispered, giving her his best begging look when he moved back to where they were just like they were before.

“You fed me a cookie and called me hot...I deserve more than that,” Melissa ate the cookie and wiped her hands on a napkin.

“I'm injured in the line of duty,” he stuck his bottom lip out, moving to put his head on Melissa's shoulder, pouting. Joey groaned when he felt that familiar tug, moving so his face was buried in her neck. “God this is great,” he muttered, feeling her fingers wind through his hair and rub his head down to the spot behind his ears and back up.

Lance shook his head at the two of them. “That shouldn't be legal in public,” he told them, getting up to throw away his trash. “Wayne wants you over to the set in fifteen Joe.” He got a wave in acknowledgment and motioned for the other guys to follow, none of them having their cameras open to film anything for the “Making of” bit.

“You're spoiled,” Melissa said after ten minutes, surprised to feel his lips brush hers neck and then whisper across her lips. “Joey...” she whispered, letting him kiss her again before she pulled away. She hated to be the voice of reason, wanting his lips to linger on hers. “Wayne needs you.”

“I know,” he said, getting up and lacing his fingers through hers. “Limp along with me.”

“Nice shirt,” she told him as they walked. 'Orgasm Donor' was on the front. “Is that an advertisement or what?” Melissa watched him give her a look and she blushed. “You're a perv, Fatone.”

“My shirt's the truth. You know from personal experience,” Joey said, squeezing her hand. “I miss ya, Melly. Bad.”

“I miss you too,” Melissa and Joey walked along in silence and she untangled her fingers from his when she saw Wayne coming towards them. It was then she made her decision. She gave him a warm smile and kissed Joey's cheek, ruffling his hair before he could get into where the set was. “Work hard. I'm going to go find Rachel and see if she's almost done. I hear Rodeo Drive calling my name.” She knew they wouldn't hit the famous shopping mecca in Los Angeles, but it was an excuse to get away and put her plan in motion.

“Alright. Have fun, Bambina. I have no idea when we'll be done,” he gestured to the whole set. “You're the best,” he told her, tugging at her hair and waving as she left. “Have no fear, I am back,” Joey yelled to Wade, grinning as he got his first look at the set with everything there. He felt better than he had in a long time, even with a bum leg as he made his way around the set.
Chapter 23 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
Okay..now that the bugs are worked out. I had to break up chapter 23. So this is chapter 23 part 1. Chapter 24 will actually be Chapter 23 part 2. Thanks Whitney for your help!!!
“I think my retina's are burning,” Rachel remarked as she put her leather laptop case with her computer and other bag that held all of her accounting stuff in the back of the rental car before smiling at her friend. Melissa had shown up a little bit before she was ready to leave and had waited. “So, where are we going? Back to the video shoot or did you find something else you wanted to do?” Rachel was glad she'd worn flats and slipped her sunglasses on before getting into the drivers side of their rental car.

“I'm just here with you,” Melissa told her as they pulled out, biting her bottom lip. “California's nice huh? I mean, for being California.”

“It's alright. I know my way around enough I don't get lost. The traffic is fucking awful,” Rachel commented as they pulled out to head towards the freeway. She glanced over at Melissa and raised an eyebrow. “Bass, what's on your mind?”

“I've just been thinking a lot. I just-” Melissa sighed, running a hand through her hair, “I don't want to be in Orlando anymore. I think I need something new, somewhere that doesn't make me think of Joey all the time. I know I wouldn't just be leaving Joey, but I can't think of what else to do,” she finished quietly, looking out the window.

“You want to move to FREAKING California?!” Rachel yelled, almost wrecking the car as she slammed on the brakes and pulled into a parking lot. “Tell me those words did not just come across your lips. Why do you want to move three thousand miles away?” her voice was still loud as she looked at Melissa, her eyebrows arched up in surprise. “I know you're having a hard time, but Jesus Christ, that came out of nowhere!”

“What do you want me to do? Pretend Joey doesn't exist? That I just act like I don't know him?” she asked, wiping tears that came. “I'm not strong like you are, Rach. I can only take so much and I'm scared to death of the thought of moving, but I have to. I can't hide at Lance's house or in Orlando.” Melissa took a breath and looked at Rachel, the events of that morning sticking out in her mind. “Joey came in as we were eating lunch and he hugged me. I hugged him back,” she went through the conversation between them before the kiss happened. “So I play with his hair and then he kisses me. Twice,” she gave a smile, “I liked it, Rach. I know he's not mine and my head is screaming at me to stop but my heart says to just ignore my head.”

“You can kiss your friends, Mel. Like a friendly kiss...that's not wrong,” Rachel told her, watching the other girl shake her head.

“It wasn't just a friendly kiss. This is a man I love, that I would be with in a heartbeat if he asked. It's been Melissa and Joey so long that I have to go somewhere else and do something with me, Rach. I can't just sit in Florida while his life goes on without me.”

“So coming to California is the answer? Hiding out here? You hate traffic and this is worse than Orlando. All I have to say is 11th grade and the wreck downtown.”

Melissa and Rachel had been going over to the Bass house for the weekend after school when they got stuck in traffic. One lane was closed with traffic merging. It was at a standstill and Melissa had panicked, not liking being stuck in the traffic and having to wait, then the scramble when the traffic started again, the horns blaring made it worse and by the time they got home, Melissa swore she'd never drive again. Of course she had, but traffic always scared her when it was more than two lanes in one direction and it got heavy.

Melissa pursed her lips and looked at her best friend. She knew Rachel was right, but she needed to make her best friend understand. “I have to live my own life. It's a long ways from everyone, but I think I can do it,” her eyes met Rachel's. “I have to know I can do it.”

“Moving to Miami is something you could do. St. Louis, Chicago, New York City,” Rachel told Melissa giving her a look. “It's a five hour plane ride here. And that's not counting lay overs, which we didn't have because we were on a leer jet. You can't just hop in your car and come see me or your brother. What about your parents?”

“Lance will be on tour for most of the rest of the year. You'll be with him,” Melissa pointed out, shrugging a little at the mention of her Mom and Dad. “My parents will just want me happy. I want me to be happy.” It was sort of a selfish statement, but true.

Rachel wanted to protest but her mind went back to the conversation she and Lance had earlier. This would be like a clean break of sorts. Nothing around the corner to make Melissa think of Joey, no worrying about if he was just going to show up somewhere unexpectedly. It made sense in a way and she studied the traffic going by before she spoke. “If you think this is what you want, I'll help you all you need.” Rachel hoped her voice sounded more positive than she felt. It scared her to think of her friend being alone out here and more than that what was going to happen to the time she'd spend with her best friend. “How about we go look at some places and see if there's anywhere you like and then go see what the boys are doing.”

“I like that idea,” Melissa replied, smiling at Rachel. “I'm sorry...You know I wouldn't just pick up and move without a good reason.”

We haven't been apart in almost 8 years, ya know,” she added a little somberly as she pulled out of the parking lot. “What the hell am I supposed to do when I'm in Orlando?”

“You can go hang out with Chris. It will almost be like hanging out with me,” she suggested, trying to make it funny.

“Maybe if I give Chris a padded bra and shaved all his body hair off. You've gone crazy. Remind me to send out your address to every magazine subscription I can. AARP and Tattoo Monthly will be calling you.”

“Ha ha ha, smartass,” Melissa told her, giving her the finger. “Oh look, it's a California 'howdy',” she giggled when Rachel flipped her off. “This is a nice place,” she told her friend, looking around. They were in Thousand Oaks, which was outside of Los Angeles but still close enough that it wasn't a long commute. It was nestled into the mountains, making the backdrop appealing.

“We can look here if you want. There's lots of other burbs too,” Rachel told her as they talked. Rachel took one of the exits where there were restaurants and other businesses. “First thing you need to see is if there are places around here you want to go to. Grocery store, places to eat, stuff like that. Location, location, location.”

“I know,” Melissa studied both sides of the road. She wanted to be somewhere that she could get to places easily and not be stuck in traffic. “How about we stop at a real estate place and ask about properties, rentals...” she pointed out a realty sign. “I'm not paying a huge amount for a two bedroom. I mean, I have money saved up that was going to be for other stuff, so that's not it, I just don't want to run out of money before I get settled.”

“I hardly think that will happen,” Rachel assured her as they both got out of the car and went in. Rachel picked up a few brochures at the entrance and bumped Melissa's elbow. “Something like this could work. Would give you a pool and workout room, walking trails...” It was a place called 'Oak Valley' and was a condominium complex that had a lake on the acreage, along with amenities. “They take care of all the lawn stuff...”

Melissa looked at the brochure and nodded, reading about the prices and everything. “We'll ask about it for sure.”

The agent that was working walk ins was helpful, introducing herself as Gina, taking her and Rachel around, pointing out places of interest and showing them four different apartments and condo complexes, all varying prices and amenities. “There are many other places for rent, some houses, but for what you are wanting and your age demographic, a condo would be your best option,” she told Melissa, handing her a business card. “If you liked 'Oak Valley', they are taking deposits on new units until Thursday of next week. Those will be ready in two weeks to move into. Everything is inspected and I can go in and take pictures once they tell you which one is yours. Of course you have that decision to make, but I hope you will let me serve you again if you decide to move to Thousand Oaks.”

“Of course,” Melissa told her. She had paperwork to fill out from her favorite place, excited and nervous at the same time. Getting back in the car with Rachel, she looked over at her best friend. “How do you think Lance will take it?”

“I think your brother will be surprised. I think they all will be...And you have to tell Joey.”

“I was hoping to avoid that,” Melissa said, fiddling with her phone.

“That's a shitty thing to do, Mel. What if he just picked up and moved without telling you? You'd be pissed. If you're putting your big girl panties on and moving, you can tell your best friend that. You don't have to tell Joe he's the reason you're moving, but you can open your damn mouth and say something.” Rachel shook her head a little. “You aggravate me sometimes.”

“It's my job,” Melissa told her, sighing when Rachel didn't say anything back. “I'm sorry. Let's talk about something else.”

“No, I want to talk about that. You always try to change the subject when I chew your ass. What gives you the right to treat Joey like that? Is he your best friend or not?”

“Yeah, but-”

“But what? He's your best friend. So what he's marrying Kristen cause she's pregnant. He's still Joey, don't spite him just because you're hurting. That's all I'm saying about it, conversation over.” Rachel glanced over at Melissa who was sitting there with her arms folded, looking pissed off. “I hope your face sticks that way.”

“Shut up,” Melissa snarled, sighing and leaning her head back on the headrest and closing her eyes. “Just ignore me, Rach. I don't know what I'm saying or doing.”

“I take that into account. I'm letting you have a 'free pass' on a few things that I would otherwise ream your ass on. But after we get you moved, I expect you to get back to your normal happy non-bitchy self.”

“Sure, get right on that,” Melissa told Rachel, sticking her tongue out as they pulled into the studio lot and Rachel gave their names and the girls handed their ID's and hard cards to the security at the gate.

“This is still all crazy,” Melissa told Rachel as she looked at the fans that were camped out on either side of the gate on the sidewalk. They had signs and shirts and various other things with NSYNC on them or a certain member. The guys got a lot of fan mail and Melissa had at one time helped answer letters back before it got so overwhelming to handle. “Wonder how many of them will stay if the guys don't get done until late tonight?”

“Most of them aren't old enough to drive, so I hope their parents come get them,” Rachel pointed out before pulling into the lot and going to where she had dropped Melissa off earlier. She couldn't help the silly smile that crossed her face. She was ready to see Lance...and JC if the truth be told. She parked next to one of the vehicles that had brought the NSYNC entourage and smiled at Melissa. “Let's go see what the guys are doing,” she said, smacking Melissa's shoulder. “Smile.”

“I'm smiling. I'm happy. I'm going to see if Joey and I can steal a golf cart and ride it around the lot,” Melissa told her as they got out of the car. “See?” she pointed to one and grinned, the keys in it.

“Come on before you really get arrested,” Rachel told her, pulling her along. People were milling about, extras waiting and they walked into where Wayne was directing and the guys were standing over by him watching Joey as he sat in a chair and did his close ups. As they got closer, they could see sweat coming from Joey's face.

“He's hurting,” Melissa pointed out, seeing Wayne and Joey talking before Wayne went back behind the camera.

“Joey, this is the last take, buddy. You've kicked ass today.”

“I can't kick shit, but thanks,” Joey told him, giving him a slight grin. He focused on what was going on with playback starting. He knew he was going to be tired as hell and in serious need of pain meds after this was all over.

Rachel wasn't paying attention and jumped when she felt arms come around her from behind. She turned her head and smiled, leaning back on Lance. “Hi,” she said softly, turning and hugging him. “I missed you.”

“Missed you too,” Lance pulled Rachel closer and leaned in and kissed her softly on the lips, deepening the kiss after a moment and smiling. “I would ask how you were and how work was, but you look exhausted,” he said as he took her over to sit down on one of the couches where some of the extras were. Rachel looked like they all felt, ready to go back to the hotel.

“I am,” Rachel conceded, leaning on him, her head comfortably on his shoulder. “I'm too old for this crap.” She smiled as Lance snorted, looking at him innocently. “I happen to be mature for my age. You got a couple people in NSYNC that act like kids, so I figure I get a few maturity points for that alone.”

Lance chuckled and nodded, “Very true. Chris and Joey bring our age level down quite a bit. And my sister, ya know,” he shrugged, winding his fingers through hers. “Speaking of,” Lance's eyes found Melissa, over talking to JC and Justin close to where Joey was finishing up, “did you two have fun today? Before you came here I mean.”

“It was good. We still haven't eaten,” she looked at her watch and sighed. At this rate, Rachel figured they wouldn't eat until ten. “I love you, Lance, but I'm not staying here all night. I don't care if you come wake me up in the middle of the night but I just want to go take a hot bath and close my eyes and not think about numbers.”

“Good thing we're in the same hotel, cause I can't promise I'd come find you afterward. It should be interesting when we get done. Joey's going back to the hotel too I think,” Lance kissed Rachel's head softly and sighed. “I didn't realize how much I missed you until we had to fly out here. Seeing you every day and then not freakin' sucks,” he admitted, listening to her laugh. This was one of the many times he wished he wasn't gay, that he could feel for Rachel how he wanted to about a guy. It wasn't anything to do with loving her, or caring for her, just that he knew his feelings weren't what they should be completely. However, Lance knew he'd do whatever he had to in keeping her happy while they were 'together'.



JC had seen Rachel come in with Melissa, tracking her with his eyes even as he stood there talking to Justin and Melissa. He'd tried not to be jealous, but it wasn't working. The feeling surprised him somewhat, thinking he'd been handling it well but seeing Rachel and Lance kiss made him wish it was him, that he could kiss her again and see if it was just a one time feeling, the pent up emotions of that night or if his brain and possibly his heart were trying to make a leap. He tore his eyes away from them to focus on what Justin and Melissa were talking about, realizing it was about the video itself and he interjected his comments, relieved that he could follow along and not pay attention.

Melissa swatted at the hand that came around to cover her eyes, “Stop Chris,” she admonished, listening to the older man grumble. She turned and hugged him. “You're so cute when you pout,” she squished his face together and laughed when he tried to talk, letting him go.

“Fatone! She thinks I'm cute!” Chris yelled in Joey's direction as he came towards them with his cane.

“Cute like what? You're so cute you're ugly...Fugly even,” Joey snarked back as Chris pretended to sob into Justin's shoulder. He was hurting slightly and in a mood. Not mad but just aggravated that he wasn't doing his job at one hundred percent as usual. Besides, seeing Melissa having a good time with the rest of the guys reminded him of what he was missing out on. His heart ached and he just wanted her to himself. He made it to where he was standing between her and JC, not blocking them from each other, but so that he was the object to move if they wanted to be closer.

JC's eyes narrowed when he saw Joey's position, almost saying something before stepping back. They could afford for Joey to be a little possessive, since they had no way of knowing if the two of them would get another chance to be together with some alone time. “We got the rest of this until tomorrow, man,” he clapped Joey on the shoulder. “You rocked it today, Joe.”

“Thanks. I'm going back to the hotel and forgetting my name,” he replied, bumping fists with JC and Justin before pulling Melissa to him, wincing as her leg brushed his. “Damn,” he cursed, moving his leg slightly, “not your fault, mine.”

Melissa nodded, waiting until he'd moved and got comfortable. “You want a water or something?” she asked him, squeezing his hand lightly when he nodded, getting the other guys a water too from one of the ice chests that was over by the entrance.

“You're playing with fire, dude,” Justin said quietly as Melissa came back. He saw Joey's gaze fixed on her and frowned. “You know that right?”

“Ask me if I care,” Joey pulled his gaze away to look at Justin and JC. “I'll take what I can get. One minute. One hour,” he shrugged, cutting off the conversation when Melissa got back. “Thanks Bambina.”

“Anything for the gimp, the pimp and the perfectionist,” she said, grinning. “I figure I'll leave you here to work your asses off while I go take a few laps in the hotel pool,” she stuck her tongue out at Justin, who flipped her the bird.



“So, Lance, who is this beautiful woman sitting beside you?” Chris asked, having gone around with his camera shooting random stuff before coming back into the building housing the set and catching Lance and Rachel lounging, very comfortable in their seating arrangement, talking quietly.

“This is my girlfriend, Rachel,” Lance said, laughing when Rachel turned and buried her face into his chest. “And it seems she's camera shy. Say hi Rachel.”

Rachel gave a wave and didn't turn over. “Tell Chris I will take all his clothes and sell them to fans outside the hotel,” she told Lance loud enough for Chris to hear. She laughed when Chris yelled “Hey!”, peaking at him. “I have your cell phone number too,” she told him, getting a dirty look when he closed the camera.

“You're absolutely no fun,” Chris remarked, sitting down next to Rachel and Lance. “Remind me to skip your birthday this year,” he told Rachel, messing with her foot.

“Whatever, Kirkpatrick. Go film all those girls waiting to see you guys down at the gate,” she told him, glancing over at Melissa. She was leaning on Joey and still talking to JC. JC glanced in her direction and gave a small smile. Rachel pretended not to notice, but on the inside she giggled like an idiot. Her friend was right. She had a crush on JC.

“Okay ladies and gentlemen, break is over. Everyone and Wade minus Joey, get your tookus up and get ready to get more done. If you were in JC's hallway, get in there, up with Chris, same thing..I'm filming some of the big parts. Joey, we'll get yours tomorrow bud,” Wayne said through the megaphone.

Rachel got up so Lance could get up, hugging him and giving him a quick kiss. “Have fun. Call me when you're done. I still want my time with you,” she told Lance, winking at him. She hugged Chris as well, making her way over to where the other three members of NSYNC were. “Hi, Justin,” she said, letting herself be pulled into a hug by him and squeezed before being shoved into JC's arms, making them both go oomph. “Damn,” Rachel muttered, noticing how close their bodies were. She swallowed quickly and looked up at JC. “Hey, C.”

JC smiled and hugged Rachel, “Hey Rach. I guess I'll have to say bye too,” he squeezed one of her hands before he let her go, giving her a look like he wanted to say more. “See ya later. Mel said we were in the same hotel,” he said as he walked off slowly, then turned to catch up with the rest of the guys.

Rachel watched him go before turning to Joey and Melissa. “I guess I'm the chaperone in this deal,” she grinned as they both rolled their eyes.

“She makes it sound like we don't know how to act in public,” Joey said, putting his weight on the cane and not his leg. “I'm fine out in public.”

“Says who?” Melissa told him, slipping her arm through his.

“Your mother told me I was a model citizen at your high school graduation,” Joey retorted.

“You were sitting right next to her and she told you if you did anything she would make sure I didn't come on tour that whole summer.”

“I remember that,” Rachel said as they got into the rental car the girls had driven along with one of the security guards. “Joey sat up there and didn't make a peep.”

“I was afraid to move, Linda packs a mean punch.”
*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

“All I want is a bath and food. And a date with my pillow for a few hours,” Rachel said as they all got into the elevator. “You can watch Joey get stupid on painkillers or something,” she told Melissa, knowing there was a good chance she'd not see her friend for the rest of the night. It was part of the reason she'd brought Melissa along, sort of glad that she'd get to relax and it be quiet. Her friend wasn't loud, but it was just different being the only one in the hotel room.

“Hey, I only take what I'm supposed to,” Joey said, pointing his cane at Rachel. “Be nice to me, I'm injured.”

“I'm always nice to you. I haven't killed you yet and left your body out in a wooded area when you've played a practical joke on me,” Rachel replied, narrowing her eyes when Joey tried to look innocent. “Be good,” she told Melissa who proceeded to give her an equally innocent look.

“We're always good,” Melissa told her, grinning as the elevator opened and she exited with Joey and Lewis. “Have fun by yourself.”

“Have fun with the one legged wonder,” she replied, giving them a wave bye. Rachel laughed as Melissa blew her a kiss and Joey just shook his head. She leaned back against the rail in the elevator and shut her eyes. The time change plus work had been exhausting. Another reason she wanted to be alone was to try and get a handle on her thoughts. The thoughts that ran rampant about JC. It was worse when she was around him, watching him talk and smile and look in her direction. Rachel knew part of it was just a crush, the thrill of wanting something that was just out of reach. At the same time, Josh hadn't acted any different with her since New Year's. He was being nicer, if that was possible. She tampered those thoughts down as the elevator dinged, turning to Lance in her thoughts. She loved Lance and counted him as one of her best friends- her best male friend- that she'd ever had.

Slipping the key card into the door, she opened it and sighed happily. The suitcase she'd hastily tossed on the bed was sitting there waiting for her. Her favorite pajama pants and one of Lance's shirts she'd stolen from him were in there. A few minutes later, Rachel sank down into the tub that had been filled with steaming hot water. “Calgon, take me away,” she muttered, letting the stress and worries in her mind float away.
*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

The door shut to Joey's room and he let the cane fall with a thud to the floor. “Come here,” Joey leaned against the door and watched as Melissa paused in front of him. He could see her thinking and he smiled slightly when she bit her lip. “What's the problem?” he asked, his fingers reaching out and taking her wrist, pulling her closer. “I just wanted a hug.”

Melissa relaxed a little at that statement, letting herself be enveloped in Joey's arms. She could handle a hug, not caring that he'd been sweating, her head resting on his chest. Her eyes closed as she wrapped her arms around him, listening to the 'lub dub' sound of his heartbeat. Melissa knew they needed to talk, afraid of what Joey would think or say. “Will you always love me?” she asked softly, looking up at him, her head craned upward.

“What kind of question is that?” Joey asked, moving slightly so he could touch her face gently. “That's like asking the wind to quit blowing or the rain not to come. Silly woman.”

Joey anchored her to him as they made their way to the bed, with him sitting down first and sighing gratefully as it got the weight off his leg. “Damn that feels good,” he said, reaching for the drawer in the nightstand and getting his prescription pain pills, downing one with a bottled water. He looked over at Melissa who was still sitting at the edge of the bed, her stare far off. “You okay, Bambina?” he asked softly, his brow furrowing when she shook her head. “Talk to me.”

“Let's worry about you first,” Melissa told him, wanting to put off telling him the news of her thinking hard about moving. “Do you need help with getting a shower or anything?” she groaned when he grinned wickedly. “You know what I meant.”

“I know I knew what you meant, and my mind took the trip to the gutter.”

“Took a trip there? It lives there with Chris's mind. And Justin's...”

Joey got up and stripped off his shirt, sloughing off his shoes and tossing his socks in his growing pile of clothes. He reached for his pants when he heard Melissa clear her throat. “Sorry...” he heaved a sigh and went into the bathroom not shutting the door all the way. “This sucks ass. I feel like if I'm going to see you, we'll have to sneak around to do it.”

“Think about what you just said and how wrong that sounds, Joey,” Melissa told him, coming to stand by the bathroom door. She heard the water going and the shower come on. “How are you gonna do that and not get your bandage wet?” she asked, peeking into the bathroom.

“Hey, you didn't want to see my sexy manliness, no looking. I was offering earlier and now it costs money,” Joey admonished, standing in the shower with his bandaged leg sticking out, the shower head angled in such a way that it still hit him.

“I got twenty bucks,” Melissa told him and she heard him yelp a laugh. The water went off a few minutes later and she knew what he was doing, his usual routine. Drying off, deodorant, and a splash of cologne. “You decent yet?” she questioned, listening to him grumble.

“Pants suck. I'm wearing boxers and getting in bed,” Joey said, his leg still hurting and he opened the door. His favorite Superman boxers were on with the 'S' logo on the front. “Don't hate the player, hate the game,” he told Melissa, stopping at the air conditioner.

“What game?” she asked, sticking her tongue out at him and letting him get in bed as she slipped her shoes off, wanting to get under the covers too knowing it would get cold fast. “Brrrr,” she said, feeling the air creep over to where they were.

Joey didn't care that they shouldn't be sharing a bed, he wanted her here with him. He wanted things to be normal between them. At least here if not anywhere else. “Talk to me, Melly,” he said softly, settling into bed her head resting at the crook of his neck. The arm closest to her wrapped around her and Joey moaned slightly when her fingers ran over the hair just above his temples. “Don't start that unless you want this to turn into something else,” he warned, his head turning slightly, looking at her out of the corner of his eye. “You're incorrigible.” Joey felt her fingers trace his scruff around his jawline.

“I miss you. This...Us,” Melissa told him quietly. Her brain was screaming at her to stop. She knew it wasn't right. Another thing she knew was that her heart wouldn't ever heal. A part of it would be Joey's forever. No matter if eventually she moved on from him and met someone else. She also knew they couldn't go back to being ''just friends”. Just being this close to Joey was bad, wanting his lips on hers, his hands on her touching her. When he rolled over to face her, she smiled a little when he let out a growl of a curse word and then whimpered when his lips found hers. His lips felt the same, the way they always did when he started kissing her.

Joey wasn't going to push the issue, kissing Melissa softly. Her whimper spurred him on, letting his mouth travel over to the place just behind her ear, then back to her lips, kissing her harder. He growled when her fingers tangled in his hair, his body wanting hers. His hands had already started to take the familiar path, one was caressing Melissa's face gently. The other hand was at her waist, fingers underneath her shirt, sliding upwards towards her bra. He knew he was getting somewhere when she arched her back and his hand got a handful of her breast. “Just relax,” he whispered, his tongue moving over her earlobe.

“Joey.” Melissa wasn't sure if that was a plea to stop or keep going. She felt his hand pull her bra down and moaned when his fingers ran across her nipple, shivering slightly. She pressed her lips to his and her hands went to his hair, combing through it before tugging at the front.

“God, yes....Melly,” Joey whispered against her lips before kissing her once more. The silence in the room was broken by a phone ringing. 'Pretty Woman' played and Joey swore silently. If he didn't answer, Kristen would keep calling. Untangling himself from Melissa, he rolled over and felt around for his phone. “Hello?” he said, hoping it was something simple. A call of how he was doing, then goodbye.

“I didn't expect you to answer,” Kristen said, her voice sounding surprised. “I was just going to leave you a message. How has your day been?”

Joey's eyes narrowed, having heard this from Kristen before. She was fishing for something and he let Melissa go to sit up on the side of the bed. “It's been long. What do you want, Kris? I'm not in the mood to listen to this...”

“Well, a few of my girlfriends came down to see me since you were going to be out of town and we decided to do some shopping,” her voice trailed off. “We got the cutest stuff for the baby and some outfits for the honeymoon. And then they insisted I take them out to eat and you know, the girl thing. Beauty salon.”

“How much?” Joey ground out, getting a bad feeling. He'd left his debit card at home, telling Kristen she could go get groceries or hit the mall. He'd checked the balance yesterday, with bills being pulled out automatically. “How much goddamn it!”

Melissa had sat up after he did facing the other side of the bed, and was about to get up when she felt Joey's hand reach back for hers. She took it, squeezing it lightly, but not moving to face him. This was reality, a few minutes before had been just pretend, both of them not wanting to admit that the weren't together. She knew Joey would be pissed and just sat there, trying to sort out her thoughts.

“Answer me.” Joey's eyes closed when he heard her talk and his body shook. “How the fuck do you expect me to live with a hundred and fifty bucks for the next two weeks...” Joey let go of Melissa's hand and pushed himself up, limping over to the window and looking out of it. He was beyond pissed and listened to her blubber and cry. “It's a FUCKING JOB, NOT A MONEY TREE! I get paid every two weeks like a regular job. I have bills...Find a way to put the money back and if I check and the card's been used anymore tomorrow, you can keep the ring and find yourself back in Pittsburgh.”

Melissa heard Kristen scream at Joey from where she was, surprised when he didn't just hang up on her. He'd hung up on Melissa only a couple times when she thought she'd get mouthy and now Joey was standing there taking it. She laid back down on the bed and faced the opposite wall. The timing was awful, but she had to tell him about the possibility of moving.

“Yeah, you do that. Put the money back Kristen, I'll be home in a couple days,” Joey told her, his voice void of emotion. He didn't reply back when she told him she was sorry and loved him, hanging up. Propping himself up with his arms, he leaned on the window sill and stared out the curtain, watching the traffic go by. “You still here, Bambina?” he asked softly, hating that she had to listen to that.

“Tell your...fiance,” that word hurt, “that she really knows how to kill the mood.” Melissa meant it to be a joke but it was the truth. She got up and went to go stand by Joey, wrapping her arms around his middle. “You alright, Fatoney?”

“Other than being fucking broke, yeah,” he shook his head. “Let's drop it. Pisses me off... If you wanted food, sorry to say I'm not buying. You'll have to treat me. I'm ordering the biggest most expensive thing there is from wherever you get food from.” Joey heard her snort and laugh, pulling her around so that he could kiss her again. “You're my lifeline, Mel. You make all the other shit easier to deal with. You know that right?”

“Even if I do from three thousand miles away?” She let the question hang there as she watched the emotions flicker across his face. Melissa swallowed back tears when Joey looked positively heartbroken and she reached up to cup his face, stroking his jaw. “I went and looked at places today. There's one in Thousand Oaks-” her voice trailed off, biting her lip.

“You're leaving me?” Joey stared at Melissa, his heart breaking in his chest. He was so sure nothing would be more painful than breaking up with Melissa but he was wrong. Hearing his best friend, his soulmate, the woman who would always hold his heart was moving across the country to start a life without him hurt. It hurt something fierce.

He had assumed she'd stay in Orlando. it was after all where her parents lived, her brother lived, her best friend - Where he lived. Where he'd be able to see her regularly. Where he'd be able to make sure she was okay. How was he supposed to do that when she was three thousand miles away? How could he be sure she was really truly okay?

“I think...I think it would be the best thing for me. For us,” Melissa put her fingers to his lips when he started to speak. “I can't stay there Joey. I can't pretend that my heart's not breaking every time I see you, that you aren't mine.” She sniffled when Joey's lips found her forehead. “You'll be busy touring and have a wife and baby to take care of.”

“Who's going to take care of you?”


"I'll take care of me," Melissa told him softly. "Don't worry about me."

"Don't worry about you!" Joey's voice rose as he pushed away from Melissa, holding her by the forearms. "How can you say that?"

"You need to worry about Kristen and the baby now. They are your family."

"And you're not?" Joey dropped his arms so quick, it caused Melissa to stumble slightly. When Melissa failed to say anything, he rotated around, hissing as pain shot through his leg. He ignored it, taking a few steps away. He clenched his eyes shut; emotions swirled inside of him; hurt and anger.

"You're marrying someone else Joey. You're having a baby..."

"You don't think I know that!" He whirled around catching Melissa in a glare. "I know that! Heaven forbid someone fail to remind that every damn minute of every damn day. I know I'm having a baby! I know I'm getting married! I fucking know!"

Melissa stayed silent, pursing her lips as Joey slid from English to Italian and back again.

"How can you just tell me not to worry Bambina? How can you say that? Do you know how that makes me feel?" He asked, watching her look at him. "Is that what you did? The minute we ended our relationship did you just stop worrying about me?"

"No!" Melissa gasped, pain coursing through her at the thought. "I worry about you constantly! I worry if you're sleeping. If someone's taking care of you. I worry that you're not where you're supposed to be, if you need anything."

"Then how can you tell me not to worry?" Joey's voice softened. "How can you even suggest that? I worry Mel. It didn't just stop because we broke up. I worry about you every day. And I wonder what you are doing; how you're feeling. When I fall asleep every night, when I actually can sleep, I wonder about your day. What you did, where you went. You are on my mind constantly Mel."

Melissa eyes watered at Joey's words. She knew what he was going through. She was going through the same thing. She tried not to think about it, find things to keep her mind off him, but he always crept back into her mind. Everything reminded her of him and it was like going through breaking up all over again. "Now you see why I have to move?" She whispered. "It's you. It's always been you. It's always gonna be you. And it's not possible anymore. You... you're truly unavailable."

He felt like someone had ripped open his chest and tore out his heart, leaving a gaping wound. It never occurred to him in the many hours he spent working through Melissa and Kristen that when he would lose Melissa. He had always assumed she would be there; that she would be in his life in some shape or form. And now Melissa was removing herself from the equation. Leaving him. Moving three thousand miles away, starting her life over. A life that didn't include him. He suddenly felt as if he was on the outside looking in. He didn't want to let her go, even if she was choosing to do this. “Stay with me tonight.”

She knew what the right answer should have been. As she told him yes, her mind was telling her to say no. It was wrong, Joey was engaged and she was no longer his. That part was a double edged sword, pushing her towards him into his arms. Melissa wanted to be his one last time, to have that memory of Joey to hold on to, that they could say goodbye like this.
Chapter 23 part 2 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
The rest of chapter 23 in it's entirety!!!
She was aware of her shirt and pants coming off, tossed into the pile with his dirty clothes as they made their way to the bed. Melissa giggled as Joey leaned in and licked her neck, groaning when he bit it, wincing as he did it harder, a firm pull on her hair. “Joey,” his name came out as a harsh sound, wanting to protest and at the same time, it felt good. Like he was marking his territory.

Joey stopped when they were against the bed, sitting down while letting Melissa stand in front of him. “Nice bra,” Joey remarked, reaching up to run his hands across the lace cups, fingers pinching her nipples as he let his arms slide around her to get it undone. “You wear this one on purpose? Thinking of seducing me?” his voice was clearly teasing. The undergarment tossed aside, Joey used the advantage of being face level with her breasts to take one of them into his mouth and suck on a nipple. His hands were full as well and Joey groaned when Melissa's hands tugged on his hair. “Pull harder, Bambina,” he said, paying attention to the other breast as well.

Melissa did as Joey asked, yanking hard on his hair, hissing when he bit down a little. That pain subsided as his tongue slid over the part he'd bitten. A whimper slid from her mouth when she felt Joey's hand touch her inner thigh. She knew the game he was playing, getting her worked up until she couldn't stand it. His fingers would get almost to where she wanted them and move off, just brushing the areas she wanted touched. “Joseph,” she breathed, looking down at him.

“Bambina,” Joey said, giving her that smile he knew drove her crazy. The one he reserved for times like this. “We're just getting started, no need to get so worked up,” Joey slid himself back with his arms to where he was lounging against the pillows and headboard. “This is the time if ever there was some sexual fantasy you harbored about me,” he grinned wider as she blushed, propping his arms up above his head. He chuckled as she eyed his erection as it strained against his boxers. “My innocent little Mel. What naughty thoughts are you thinking about me?” He tried like hell to keep the mood light, ignoring the fact that this was the last time for them to be like this, that in the back of his mind he knew they shouldn't be anyway.

“About you? Psssh,” Melissa waved her hand at Joey, walking around to one side of the bed eyeing him up and down. “You're on the injured list, Fatoney. I'm not sure you can participate. I think you might have to just watch,” Melissa kept her eyes on him, sliding her hand down into her panties, watching his eyes travel to where she was rubbing herself. “Unless you want to help,” she said after a few moments, crawling up on the bed beside him, watching Joey roll over and try not to wince.

Joey's leg hurt a little from all the moving around, but he ignored it for the most part. His hands slid over Melissa's body, down to the waist band of her panties and he held her gaze as he took them in hand and gripped them and ripped them off. “That's better,” he told her, manuvering her around so that their bodies were flush together for the most part. “Mel,” he rumbled in appreciation as he slid a couple fingers in her, the wet and warm place making Joey almost pant.

Melissa wasn't about to let Joey get her off without her teasing him some. She pulled his hand away amid protests, moving to where her head was even with his boxers. “Now, proceed..do whatever,” she told him, smiling as his brown eyed gaze met hers and she tried to look innocent as one of her hands ran over his 'package' that was bulging against his boxers.

“Oh damn,” Joey gritted his teeth, his thumb starting to work her clit as he lifted his hips so she could slide his boxers down and off. It took a few more moments than he wanted, but finally, he was as naked as she was. He felt her hand slide around his erection, stroking him from the tip to the base. “Oh Melly,” he grunted, pumping his fingers in and out harder.

Melissa bucked her hips against his fingers and thumb, letting out a long moan of appreciation before licking her lips, her tongue resting along the underside of his penis, licking it up and down the shaft a couple times before getting to the tip and letting her teeth barely graze it. She reached underneath her to have him stop to move where she could watch Joey, her eyes going to his as she took his cock in her mouth. She smiled a little as she went along, listening to him curse and encourage her, his hands buried in her hair.

Joey got louder, hating that he couldn't move a lot. “Stop..for the love of God,” he finally told her, knowing if she kept going, he'd be done. He swallowed hard Melissa just smiled, moving to where she could straddle him. “I'm going to have the last say in this, Melissa Nicole,” he instructed her, tossing her off him, chuckling when she laughed as her body made the bed bounce and Joey cussed again.

Melissa's eyes widened as Joey's mouth kissed her stomach and then proceeded to make its way back down. “Oh Joey...yes baby..” his tongue licked along her clit and nibbled on her pussy lips before going back up and down with his tongue. She didn't care to tell him what she liked, stroking his beard down by his ears before going to his hair. Her breath caught some and her body started quivering, wanting its release. She knew he knew it too, and raised an eyebrow when he stopped. “Joooey,” she whined, pulling his head up towards her upper body so that he could be on top of her.

“What, Melly? Tell me what you want, Bambina,” his voice was low and full of love, kissing her hard once he got up to where she was on the pillows, his body flush with hers. He told her how much he loved her, that she would always have his heart as he made love to her. Every kiss and touch between them had a purpose and finally when they were done,they both laid there still tangled together.

“I love you, Joey,” Melissa laid there trying to catch her breath, closing her eyes as he kissed her once more. “Til the day my life is through, this I promise you,” she told him, making him smile. “I love your smile, the real one,” she patted his cheek softly when he grinned.

“And I love you. Over and over I fall when I hear you call,” Joey sang back to her, his voice catching. He moved and rolled to where they were spooned together, the covers up over them. “I got a song for you...” he smirked when she turned her head. “From your other Joey...Please don't go girl, you would ruin my whole world.” Joey wiped her tears and held her face as he kissed her softly. No matter what happened after this, he wanted Melissa to know she'd always have a place in his heart, even if it was in pieces.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Lance pushed the door open and quietly slipped inside the darkened hotel room. He moved carefully through the room hoping neither his sister or his girlfriend left things laying around on the floor. He scanned the double beds seeing a mound on one of them. Coming closer he saw the second bed wasn't even mused.

'Joey's,' Lance thought giving a small shake of his head. But what his sister and best friend did was not his worry. They were adults.

A soft smile graced his lips as his gaze settled on the occupied bed. He toed off his shoes and let his jeans fall to the floor. He pulled the t shirt over his head and let it drop unceremoniously to the ground next to his jeans. Moving around the bed, he pulled the covers back and slipped beneath them. He wrapped his arms around Rachel pulling her back against his chest as he spooned behind her.

"Lance..." Rachel breathed, her eyes fluttering open as a new warmth encased her. She pressed back against him, snuggling closer and let a blissful sigh escape.

"Expecting someone else?"

"Wasn't expecting anyone." Rachel whispered honestly. "How'd you get in here anyway?"

"Sweet talked the front desk girl," Lance grinned against Rachel's hair. The blonde strands tickling his face, getting stuck in the stubble gracing his jaw.

"I should complain, giving a copy of my room key to just anyone." Rachel teased. "That could have been Chris sneaking in here."

Lance laughed out loud, his arms tightening around her. "I don't think you have to worry about that. And I'm not just anyone. I'm your boyfriend."

Rachel smiled and turned in his arms so they were facing each other. "This is true," she was able to just barely make out his face. She raised her hands, running them over his bare chest. "You are my boyfriend."

Lance leaned forward pressing a whisper of a kiss to Rachel's lips. He brushed them again before settling on them. He tightened his hold bringing her flush against his chest. He felt her fingers caressing his pecs from where they were trapped between them. He broke the kiss, leaving her lips to trail kisses up her jawline to nibble on her ear.

"Lance..." Rachel pulled her hands free tangling them in his hair. She careened her neck, giving him access.

He moved back to her lips kissing them softly. He felt her sigh and relax in his arms. He brought a hand up, brushing her hair back from her face, the silly locks slipping between his fingers. "Is this okay?" he whispered.

Instead of speaking, Rachel pulled his lips back to her, instigating another round of kisses. She traced his bottom lip with her tongue silently requesting entrance. When his lips parted, her tongue moved forward meeting his.

Lance's tongue dueled with hers before he pushed Rachel onto her back. The kiss never broke, his hands starting to roam, skimming over the fabric of Rachel's t-shirt at her stomach. They'd always been able to be physical, at least the other part of it, the touching and kissing in public like a real couple would do. This was something new as Rachel's back arched, giving Lance a handful of breast. “Rachel,” Lance whispered, a little unsure of what she wanted. He told himself he'd do whatever it was she wanted, even sex if she asked.

Rachel paused, hearing the hesitation in Lance's voice. She knew she wasn't going to beg him to do something he didn't want to. At the same time, she was slightly jealous of her best friend. Sex talk wasn't off limits for her and Melissa. While she never asked for details, she figured out that her friend's sex life had been good while hers had been non existent a little bit before she and Lance had gotten together. And now she just wanted to feel wanted like that. “You don't want this do you?” she asked, letting out a sigh as his lips met her neck again just as she'd asked the question.

Lance stopped, searching Rachel's face as much as he could in the dark. “I want whatever will make you happy,” he told her, his honest to God answer. “What do you want, Rachel?”

Rachel felt heat creep up her neck and her face, not sure she could tell Lance what she wanted. She knew she had to, wondering if he would think less of her that she wanted him, or at least wanted something physical between them, something more than just kissing. “I know we kiss and hold hands but I want...more,” she finally said softly. “And I want it with you, even though I know this is just for show-”

“How I feel about you isn't just for show, Rach,” Lance told her, planting a soft kiss on her lips. “And I think it might be a good idea, you know,” he gave a slight chuckle and a smile. “I mean, what good am I as a boyfriend if I can't seduce you?” Lance let one of his hands slide under her shirt to meet her breast, squeezing it gently. “Any time you want me to stop, or I want to stop, we stop,” he said, wanting there to be no issues between them.

Rachel nodded, her head coming up to press her lips against his. “Have I told you how wonderful you are? That I love you?” she smiled, messing up his hair. The nervous butterflies she had in her stomach about him wanting her went away, but were replaced now by ones about sex.

“The wonderful part? Not today..the I love you part, earlier.” Lance smiled and hoped he could satisfy her. Even though he was gay and wanted a boyfriend, he wasn't a virgin. Being with four other men that were all heterosexual on a tour bus was also somewhat of an advantage in that respect. Lance kissed her lips once then nuzzled her jaw, his tongue darting out to flick her earlobe. “Tell me what you want,” he dropped his voice down, getting turned on when she trembled at his words, his hand that had been on one breast moved to the other, hungry for his touch, wanting his attention.

“I like my neck being kissed,” Rachel confessed, sighing when his lips met her jugular vein. “I want you to seduce me.” She wasn't going to be picky, not knowing if this was a one time thing between them, not worrying about it at that second. “I want you to kiss me and touch me, oh God,” her breath caught as she felt Lance's teeth graze the spot he'd just kissed, moving upso that he could nip her ear, his tongue delving onto the sensitive skin. His breath was warm and Rachel tangled her fingers in his hair before letting one hand slide down the back of his neck to his back and shoulder, digging her fingernails in.

Lance moaned when Rachel's nails bit his skin, his body responding to hers. When her teeth found his neck, he growled, pulling on the shirt she was wearing. “I want this off,” he said, moving just enough for her to remove it, gazing down at her body. His eyes had adjusted to the light and he smiled, whistling in appreciation. “Damn, girl,” he said, shaking his head. “You're beautiful, Rachel.” Lance put his finger under her chin and tipped her head upward to look at him. “Don't be embarrassed. You are beautiful.”

Rachel blinked back tears and smiled at him. He wasn't saying it for any other reason than that he meant it. She knew Lance wouldn't lie to her, that if at any moment she wanted to stop, he would. She moved to where she was sitting up more and ran a hand over the stubble on his face. “You aren't bad yourself James Lance Bass,” she leaned in and kissed him softly, nibbling on his bottom lip. She sighed when he pulled her closer, his hands getting buried in her hair. Her breasts were flush up against his body. Her hands were planted on his shoulders, anchoring him there with her. Her eyes were shut and she was quickly becoming putty in his hands. She felt his tongue come out and snake over her lips, once and then again. It only took a second to decide and soon she was moaning in pleasure as Lance's tongue stroked hers.

Her lips were swollen from kissing when Lance laid her back on the bed, her body relaxed and responding to every touch of his lips and feel of his fingers on her skin. “Lance,” Rachel whispered his name as his tongue circled her nipple, taking it into his mouth and sucking on it. “Mmmm, yes,” she gasped when he paid attention to the other like he had that one, his fingers taking up the slack where his mouth wasn't. She squirmed when his face tickled her stomach and she got nervous when she felt his breath on her inner thigh.

“Let me take care of you,” Lance told her, lacing his fingers through hers for a moment, squeezing. They'd both lost their bottoms respectively a while back, and Lance knew if they didn't have sex, it would be some variation of it because there was no way he was going to ignore his throbbing erection just like he wasn't about to bow out on Rachel. He could smell her scent and it was the first time in a really long time that he actually wanted to be with a woman. It might be a one time thing, but he was going to enjoy it. Lance wasn't going to lie and think that Rachel was going to turn him straight, nor did she think that. That's what made it better, he thought momentarily as his free hand went to press against her mound, his thumb brushing her clit. “Fuck,” Lance growled, his tongue making circles around her sex as he rubbed. He grinned when her hands went to his hair and she yanked him towards her pussy.

Rachel bit her lip and cried out when Lance's tongue finally got where she wanted it. Her legs went lax and she put them up over his shoulders, her fingernails running over the back of his head and neck. She felt her body getting closer to release, gasps and moans coming from her periodically. “Yes baby, that's it..Lance..mmm..right there,” Rachel let go a few minutes later with a hard orgasm, Lance's fingers pumping in and out of her while his tongue licked her clit up and down, catching her juices. Her whole body shuddered and she yelled out his name. Laying there panting, a huge smile grew on her face when Lance joined her on the pillow. Throwing her arms around him, she kissed his lips and chuckled when she tasted herself on him. “Don't think you're done,” Rachel told him, kissing his cheek as he laughed and pulled her over to rest on his chest, his heart beating faster.

“I don't think I can take much teasing,” Lance told her, groaning when she ran her fingers over his penis. It was standing at attention and throbbed when Rachel's hand went all the way down and brushed his scrotum. “I mean it, babe. Oh goddamn,” Lance bit his lips as she kissed his chin and then neck, her hand still lazily jacking him off.

“Who said I was teasing?” Rachel asked, her mouth against his skin, tasting him. She wanted Lance. And at the same time, she was satisfied with what had happened between them. It was her turn to 'return the favor' and ultimately it was her decision to make in a way. She listened to him grunt and moan as her mouth traveled south down his body. “Damn, Bass..” Rachel's tongue licked around the head of his penis, making him grip the sheets.

“Rachel Beth,” Lance's voice sounded strangled, talking through his teeth. “Please, love,” he begged, raising up his head to look at her. His whole body was tensed up as she continued, shudders coming from him as her mouth took him in, her fingers grazing his inner thighs and balls as she used her other hand to stroke him as her mouth traveled up and down his shaft. “Oh fuck,” he hissed when she stopped, ready to explode if she touched him again. Lance's eyes popped open when he felt the bed shift and looked at Rachel. “What's wrong?” he asked, concerned something wasn't right.

“I'm on the pill but we're not gonna use that as a fail safe,” Rachel said, quickly finding what she was looking for and opening the condom package. “You want me to do it?” she asked, straddling Lance's legs. She smiled when he pulled her closer, taking the item from her.

“If I let you do it, we won't be doing anything,” Lance replied, his dick still throbbing as he rolled the condom down. “I'm embarrassed to tell you that I won't last long probably.” Lance loved the shrug she gave him, pulling her down to meet him on the bed and then covering her body with his. His lips found hers, his body pressed against hers and his hands pressed hers up next to her head, their fingers intwined. “I love you,” he breathed into her skin and reached down to position himself to slide into her. “Let me know if I hurt you,” he told her, praying that wouldn't happen.

Rachel nodded, letting go of his other hand to hold onto his body. It had been a while since she'd had sex and Lance was big. She bit her lip and hissed when he pushed himself inside her. “No, keep going,” she told him when he stopped, glad when he kissed her, burying himself between her legs.

“Don't move for a minute,” Lance panted, his face in Rachel's neck, her hair tickling his nose. “Oh Jesus, Rach..you feel wonderful,” he told her, rocking back and forth a little before setting a pace. His eyes rolled back in his head a little when her nails found his shoulders.

“Cum for me Lance, come on baby,” Rachel encouraged him, throwing her head back when she felt his thumb rub her clit. “Oh...ohhhh,” she panted, letting him take control at least of that part. Her body responded to his, getting into the rhythm with him, wanting him to finish. She knew Lance was close when he quit and started grinding against her, his breath coming in gasps.

“Oh shit..fuck..Rachel,” Lance got out, his cock twitching as he buried himself inside her and came hard. He smiled as he took short breaths in and out, his whole body quickly having that tingly sensation. “Sorry I couldn't finish-”

“Don't even say the rest of that sentence,” Rachel huffed, laying there beside him, a goofy smile on her face. “I love you, Lance. Thank you,” she told him, running a hand over his sweaty face. “I can't promise it will become a permanent thing but..I needed it.”

Lance nodded, bringing her palm to his lips and kissing it. “You are my girlfriend, my best friend and better half,” he said softly after a few moments. “I want you to be happy as much as you want me to be..actually I want you to be happier than I am. It was....an honor, for lack of a less dorky term.” He smiled at her chuckle and rolled over to brush some hair out of her face. “Thank you for being mine.”

Rachel nodded, glad he couldn't see the tear escape down her cheek. She kissed him softly on the lips and smiled. “Now what will the guys think? You're going to come in with this stupid face you men get.”

“If nothing else, it will keep them guessing,” Lance told her, both of them laying there and talking for a little while longer after he'd gotten up and went to the bathroom trash and came back. “I say we go get a shower and hop in the other bed. My sister isn't coming back tonight.”

“How do you know? Or do I want to know?” Rachel asked, reaching over to turn the light on low beside the bed so they could see. She got up, smiling at the fact Lance was watching her and she was doing the same with him, no hint of embarrassment, but at the same time, it wasn't a burning attraction like she was ready to get him all worked up again. If it was anyone else, it would have bothered her, but she felt secure in that they could both handle this part of their relationship if it came up again. She pulled out her panties and some different sleep clothes, turning back to watch Lance get up to follow her.

“The tv was up some, but Joey's a loud bastard. That's all I'm saying,” Lance said as he turned on the water. “And I sure as hell wasn't going to knock on the door and tell him to shut up. Might be the last sex the poor guy sees, depending on how pregnancy hormones go.” He shrugged when Rachel gave him a look. “It was in a magazine I read. It was GQ magazine,” he added, rolling his eyes, flicking water on her after they'd gotten in.

“I didn't say a word,” Rachel told Lance, giving a sigh as the warm soapy washcloth touched her skin with his hands doing the work. “Although, I must say...you're the best gay man I've ever had sex with.”

“Don't ruin my rep, Weatherly,” Lance grinned wide when she laughed. “When I decide to come out of my proverbial closet, I'll be shopping for a boyfriend. Til now I'll just make all the men drool and be jealous over you.”

“All you need to be the perfect man right now is to order some room service and let me have the tv remote,” Rachel told him as she relaxed, letting the soap wash off her body after taking the washcloth. Lance's fingers massaged shampoo into her scalp making her groan once more in deep contentment. “Nevermind my last statement. Now you are the perfect man.”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*
Joey woke up by degrees, his eyes popping open when he reached out for the warm body that was supposed to be there and all he got was air. He looked around, the room still dark, listening for sounds that Melissa was in the bathroom, but the only noises Joey heard were the air conditioner and the noises of doors opening and closing down the hall. The spot where she'd laid was cool and he wondered when she'd left. More than that, Joey wondered why she didn't stay. It hurt that he woke up alone, more so because he knew that this couldn't keep happening. Joey wasn't going to ask Melissa to start meeting him at every hotel they would be at for one night stands. As much as he'd love for her to be with him, in the back of his mind he knew it would turn it into something cheap and ugly. Besides that, Joey didn't want her for the sex. The sex was great, but he wanted something he could no longer have.

An angry sob came out, punching his pillow. Joey was by himself, no one to answer to if he had a pity party. He was hurt and angry, cursing a little bit later when his leg still hurt. He downed a pain pill and some Tylenol, laying back on the bed, trying to sort out his feelings. The thing that was the worst that was Melissa hadn't even bothered to tell him goodbye.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^^*^*^*

Rachel woke up and sighed, burying herself further into the covers and smiled at the feel of Lance's arms tightening around her. “Mmmmm,” she moaned softly when his lips met hers in the dark. “Morning.” The events of the previous night played through her mind and she realized that she didn't feel awkward about it at all. They were still Rachel and Lance. She didn't expect him to declare his undying love for her, that he was now un-gay or something like that. However, Rachel did agree with Lance now that she'd thought about it. There would be no awkwardness physically with them in public. It was as real as it could be, circumstances being what they were.

“Morning,” Lance replied, smiling at Rachel, smoothing down her flyaway hair. “No regrets from last night?” he whispered, glad when she shook her head.

“Why are you whispering?” Rachel asked, moving to where she could see over Lance's shoulder. She could see an outline in the covers and looked at her boyfriend. “When do you think that happened?”

“Dunno,” Lance told her, pulling her back down into his arms. “She's asleep so that's good I guess,” his eyes traveled over to the clock. “I better get up and around myself.” Lance didn't want to leave, but even more he didn't want Wayne on his ass for not being bright eyed and bushy tailed. “Last night was amazing,” he said softly, dropping a kiss on Rachel's shoulder.

“Agreed,” Rachel told him, smiling. “I'm gonna be jealous when you find a boyfriend, ya know.”

Lance laughed a little harder than what he meant to, shaking his head at her. “You'll have some guy so in love with you, he'll be following you around. You won't even have time to really miss me. You'll just miss my car.”

“Whatever,” Rachel told Lance, rolling her eyes at him and kissing him. “Go get ready. I'm gonna get ready and come to the set for a little while before I go to work,” Rachel told him, walking to the door behind him. Her eyes followed his body as it moved, a small smirk on her face. The sex had been good, better than good. It made her feel good and she grabbed his butt squeezing it quickly, the feel of him jumping making her chuckle. “Oops.”

“You're getting to be worse than my sister,” Lance told her, pulling her to his side. “See you in a little while, honey.”

“Yes, babe,” Rachel hugged him and let him go, watching him go down the hall and dig out his key card out of his jeans, wiggling her fingers at him. She then shut the door and went back into the room.

“The room smells like sex,” Melissa muttered, not moving from her position in the bed. She had taken her shoes off but still had her clothes on. “I don't want details, just a yes or no.”

“Yes, nosey. We thought you were asleep,” Rachel came and sat on the edge of the bed, reaching for Melissa's foot and squeezing it playfully. “Why are you here anyway?”

“My stuff's here, someone drug me with them on a plane to Los Angeles,” Melissa told her, avoiding the answer Rachel wanted. “I still can't believe you and my brother did the deed. I'm scarred for life.”

“Payback's a bitch,” Rachel said, getting quiet for a moment. “Answer my question.”

Melissa sighed, trying not to get upset. “I couldn't wake up next to him this morning and have to tell him goodbye, Rach. Now the last thing I can think about is how great last night was. Even if it shouldn't have happened. I have to move out here.”

“Have to? You don't have to do anything, Mel.”

Melissa sat up a little and looked at Rachel. “I'm not staying there ruining his marriage! Even married, I'd still want him. I'm not sure I could tell him no...” she sniffled. “I wouldn't tell him no, if he asked. And it wouldn't just be for the sex...” her voice cracked a little. “It's him. I can't get on with whatever I'm supposed to do with my life if I'm there.”

Rachel had no words of comfort to offer, knowing her friend was right. She turned and gave Melissa a smile. “Well then we'll have you fill out the application and take it over there today. And we'll go on set and watch the guys, then I have to go do some work. You can come with me or hang out there.”

“Sounds like a plan,” Melissa told her, wrinkling her nose at Rachel. “You whore,” she teased, screaming when Rachel hit her with a pillow.

“Look who's talking!” Rachel yelled back, laughing as she thwacked her friend hard in the face. “It still doesn't change the fact that this is all just pretend. We're just...”

“Get your freak on,” Melissa sang, getting up and dancing. “You know they'll know something went on. They're worse than women gossiping. Especially Justin.”

Rachel shrugged. “Justin can just keep his nose out of whatever is going on. It was a one time deal probably.”

Melissa went over to Rachel and sat down by her. “I love you both, so if it's what you wanted then fine. And if you wanna go have mad monkey sex with JC, that's good too.”

“You ruin the mood,” she muttered, shaking her head. She hoped JC wouldn't read anything into what she and Lance did, but at the same time, she couldn't stop his thoughts. Or hers, when they went to Joshua Chasez. Rachel was trying hard to keep her feelings for him on a level playing field with the rest of the guys. It was hard though, being attracted to him and that one kiss they'd shared. “Let's get ready and go see about breakfast.”

The girls got up and got showers, getting dressed and making sure their stuff was put up and grabbed their purses. Melissa grabbed the little envelope for the housekeeper and stuffed a ten down in there. “Now we can go. The housekeeper better clean like a mo' fo.”

“Someday Bass, I'm going to punch you in the mouth,” Rachel told her, opening the door.

“Just not today,” Melissa said, going by and kicking Chris's door hard. “Wake up, Christopher!” she yelled, surprised when the door opened and Joey gave her a look. “Uh, hi.”

“Hi,” Joey told her, not ignoring Melissa, but not pulling her to him either. He made his way down the hall and stopped to hug Rachel before heading on to the elevators.

“At least you waited until the end of the meeting to yell,” JC told Melissa, hugging her before letting her go. “He's decided to finish the video,” he told her, looking to where Joey was standing there at the elevator, waiting for the rest of the group. “I don't know what happened, but you two need to talk.”

“There's nothing to talk about, Josh.” Melissa hated at the look JC gave her, like he was disappointed in her. She hugged the other guys, walking when Justin pulled her along towards the elevators.

“All I wanna know is if you and Fatone got freaky last night,” Justin said, smirking when she didn't answer. “I know Lance did, dude's got that koolaid smile plastered on his face. Lucky bastard. The only gay guy among us and he's getting a piece.”

“And only you would be jealous,” she rolled her eyes as they all got on the elevator.

Rachel was sandwiched between Lance and Mo. “Wonder if we exceeded the weight limit with this,” she muttered, making Mo laugh.

“Sure bet we did. Unless you'd like us to let Justin off the elevator first with no security. That might be worth something right there.”

“I'll cut you, dawg,” Justin said, grinning. He looked over at Joey. “We'll send the gimp out into the line of fire.”

“I'll garner sympathy votes. Those teenage girls out there would eat you alive, Timberlake.” Joey tried to put himself in a different frame of mind to see fans, knowing that they wouldn't care he was going through his own issues. He'd smile and pose for pictures, giving each fan a few seconds of his time before going to the video shoot. They were the reason for NSYNC to be as big as they were. However, his mind went back to last night and he tried to ignore the girl standing back behind him to his right. Even if he could ignore her, Joey's heart still wanted her there.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Lance sat down his plate of food and slid into the vacant chair next to Joey. “You've been quiet today,” he pointed out to his best friend, not missing that Joey hadn't said anything to anyone really other than Wayne, giving it his all dancing, even though they all knew it was hurting him.

“Not much to say,” Joey said, popping a chip in his mouth. His eyes had followed Melissa the whole morning, watching her talk with people, the guys and the extras, even Wade and Wayne. He knew she was avoiding him, avoiding his mood. The only time she acknowledged him was to give him a wave goodbye. He waved back, unable to go to her since he was on set between takes.

“Are you and my sister going to keep doing this thing where you ignore each other?”

Joey looked over at Lance after he swallowed. “I'm not ignoring her. She's avoiding me. What the fuck did I do? We spent last night together, I wake up this morning and my bed's empty. How do you want me to act? Like nothing's fucking wrong?”

Lance watched as a couple people walk by before he answered. “Let me answer your question with another question. Would it have hurt more for you to have to tell her goodbye this morning? If she'd have stayed and you woke up and had to watch her leave...” his voice trailed off and he watched Joey's face as his friend thought.

“Mel was saving you from that. And herself,” he added, picking up his fork. “She'd rather die than make you hurt anymore, Joe.”

Joey nodded, picking at his food a little while longer before sighing and looking at Lance. “I feel like I'm just here. Like nothing makes sense anymore,” he admitted quietly, “and I know she wouldn't hurt me on purpose. It's just easy to get pissed and be mad at something like that. If I'm mad at your sister, than I can't love her right?”

“I think you'd love her no matter what,” Lance told him, opening his Coke. “But I'll tell her you said sorry if you want.”

“That works,” Joey told him, looking over at the smile on Lance's face. “Somehow, man, I don't even want to know what happened between you and Rachel last night. Don't give me that look, you were loud as hell during a quiet moment.”

Lance choked on his drink and sputtered at the last statement. “You and quiet don't even go in the same sentence. And as far as the other...as Zucco would say 'You aren't getting any of the horny details'.”
Chapter 24 part 1 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
Sorry it has taken me a bit to update. This chapter had to be edited some.. Enjoy!! Bring tissues.

“What up, dawg?” Justin hollered to Joey, stopping short, making JC run into him. “What the fuck happened to your face?” The last time he'd saw his friend, Joey's hair had been longer and his face had a goatee and slight beard. He flopped down on the big hotel bed and looked over at Joey. “Shit, this is a water bed. Not hard to get motion on this fucker,” Justin said. He finally got the hint that he wasn't going to get a response. “You okay, Joseph?”


Joey's lips were closed tight and he stared off into space. They were due at rehearsal for the wedding in any minute and he hadn't even bothered to get dressed in what he'd brought. 'Something nice,' Kristen had insisted before leaving herself to go be with her friends and family. His immediate family and friends had flown in to Pittsburgh a little while ago. He'd greeted them all with a smile and hugs before coming and barricading himself in the honeymoon suite. The only reason he'd answered the door was because Justin had threatened to yell that they were lovers and that Joey had jilted him to go be with a woman. He'd almost laughed at that. Then he heard JC say something and went to let them in.


“Really, Joey, you okay?” The question came from JC, standing there looking at his friend. It looked like a cross between a panic attack and someone who was very sick.


“What time is it?” Joey asked, not answering either of them. When he heard the time, he got up, pulling off his shirt and grabbing the one he was supposed to be wearing, along with the tie. “Went and got a haircut and a shave,” he finally said, grabbing his phone and wallet, along with the keycard. He ignored the wedding gifts that lined the dresser. It made his stomach clench to read the 'to' part. 'To Mr. and Mrs. Joey Fatone'. His eye caught the handwriting on one and he stopped, shaking his head as tears came. Joey felt someone pull him into a hug and he broke down. He'd tried so hard to keep it all in and now here he was.


Justin swallowed hard, watching JC pull Joey into a hard hug, letting the other man weep on him. He pressed his fingers against his tear ducts and prayed he wouldn't break down. He'd never tell anyone, but he'd thought about kidnapping Joey. He didn't care if it broke up NSYNC or he went to jail, Justin just wanted the world right again. And now he was watching one of his brothers break down.


“Take a breath, Joe,” JC instructed, listening as the other man took a raspy breath. “Do not even apologize,” he said in the next moment, letting Joey go to step back. He watched as the man wiped his face and look at him and Justin. “Your mini bar is stocked right?” he asked, going to the small fridge and pulled out some whiskey and poured the three of them a shot.


“Here's to not giving a fuck,” Justin said, holding up his glass, watching Joey pull himself together.


“Here's to brothers,” JC told them.


Joey studied his shot, clinking his glass with the other two before downing it. “One more,” he told JC. He smiled a little at the glass with more liquid in it before looking at Josh and Justin. “This one's for the woman who still has my heart even as I promise my life to another tomorrow.” He took the shot, letting the liquor burn his throat.


Justin raised his glass. “To Mel,” he said quietly, downing the shot and slamming his glass down next to Joey's. “You're sure about this, man?” he asked, watching Joey nod. “Dude, your face is naked.”


“Don't remind me,” Joey told him. “And if you breathe a word-”


“About what?” JC said, shooting him a look. “I have no idea what the hell is going on.”


Lance and Chris were about to knock on the door when they jumped as it burst open with the other members of NSYNC.


“Holy shit, who are you?” Chris asked Joey, messing with his hair a little.


“I'm late is what I am. We have to leave,” he was glad to see Mo, Rick and Lewis flank them as they got on the elevators. Joey's phone rang and he sighed. “I'm throwing this thing into the ocean tomorrow. I swear all it's done is fucking ring.” He hit end on it, not in the mood to listen to Kristen bitch that he was late.


“It's a phone, what's it supposed to do?” Lance asked, making them chuckle.


The men all made their way out the door and to the waiting van. Joey sat in the seat closest to the driver, telling him where to go before settling back. “The plan for tonight is...I have no plan after dinner. All the guys are supposed to go do something. I know I promised Chris something fun, but shit happens old man.” Joey knew his friends didn't care what they did, and all he wanted was to not think about it.


“I still can't get over the hair, man,” Justin told Joey, shaking his head. “You look nineteen.”


“Fuck you,” Joey replied, sighing when they pulled up to the church. “Don't screw around...I got people so far up my ass for this to be 'perfect'. I just want to get through this tonight. As fast as possible,” he added as they all got out, security following them and finding a seat at the back of the church.


“Finally!” Kristen barked at Joey, giving him a glare. “I told you when they got here, you'd be late.”


“I'm late because I was getting ready, they were waiting on me,” Joey told her, stopping to hug his grandparents who were there sitting on the second row. Steve had picked them up from the airport not long ago. Joey didn't miss his Grandma Faye holding his face and tisking him. “I know, Granny.”


“You look as young as Justin,” she told him, patting his cheek and kissing him chastely.


“And he acts as young as Chris,” Justin chimed in as they lined up how they were supposed to. He was standing between Lance and Chris, with JC on the other side of Chris. Steve was closest to Joey since he was the best man and David was at the end.


Joey took his place and watched as Kristen and her father walked down the aisle. He tried to smile, to act happy, praying he could make the muscles in his face work. Thanks to the shots of alcohol, he was lucid enough to do so, taking her hand from Kristen's father, George.


The minister told them what was going to happen and Joey listened, trying to get a grip on his mind. It was not on the here and now. It was backtracking to find a place that was drama free. He smiled slightly when it landed on a thought.


“You look hot, Fatoney,” Melissa's voice said.


“You look good too, Mel-Rizzo.”


Joey heard himself tell the minister they were going to do the traditional vows and then he leaned in and kissed Kristen's lips, watching her smile. This grand wedding, the honeymoon she'd insisted on right before tour, the ungodly reception was all her idea. He was just along for the ride, letting her do what she wanted. He'd only put his foot down when she'd asked for money, telling her the only thing he was paying for was the rehearsal dinner and the honeymoon. It had caused a big fight, but she'd still gotten what she wanted.


“Awwww, you two are so perfect together,” Kristen's best friend Kimberly gushed, taking a picture.


“Perfect like what?” Justin muttered, rolling his eyes. He could show them perfect. He pulled out his phone and sent a text. 'Faking an appendicitis tomorrow.'


He laughed at the reply. 'Chica: Faking dead tomorrow.'


“You two need help,” Chris said, looking at his phone, watching people talk and move around. He pulled out his own phone and sent Rachel a text. 'Thought you guys were coming tonight.'


'You can take the heartbroken to the airport, but you can't make them board the plane.'


Chris bumped Lance's shoulder and shook his head. “Well tomorrow's gonna suck worse,” he muttered, giving a glance to Joey.


“Just don't tell him unless he asks,” Lance replied, glad when they were going to eat but still standing around.


“Tell me what?” Joey asked, catching the last of what Lance said, looking at him expectantly. “What is it I'm not supposed to know?” He ignored Kristen pulling on him.


“Rachel and Mel missed their flight,” Chris finally said. “They got to the airport and...” his voice trailed off when Joey swallowed hard.


“Well I'll just tell the wedding coordinator to take two off the reception list,” Kristen said, not hiding the mirth in her voice. “Your friend didn't send her RSVP anyway, so I didn't count on her coming. So I guess it was just one.”


“Kris,” Joey's voice traveled down the aisle where she had joined her friends, giggling. She looked up and saw the look on Joey's face and her smile faltered. “Take Melissa's name off the guest list and she won't be the only one not showing up tomorrow. That's not a threat.”


The two families eyed the bride and groom and then each other. No one was coming to Kristen's defense and they all breathed a sigh of relief when she nodded in understanding.


“Let's go eat. The sooner we eat the sooner we can go get drunk,” Joey said, watching Kristen get into the stretch limo that had been rented for today and tomorrow. He pulled out his phone and looked at it. No text messages or calls missed. Joey shouldn't have expected any, but he was hopeful. He and Melissa hadn't talked since that night she'd come to Los Angeles. It had been a stretch for him to think she'd come, but he'd been holding out hope.


His head snapped up when he heard a familiar voice on Lance's phone that was on speaker.


“Why aren't you coming?” Lance asked his sister, frowning.


“I'm going to Disney World and drowning myself in the water on Magic Mountain. That's why,” Melissa retorted.


“That ride's closed,” Chris told her, “try Pirates of the Caribbean.”


“Shut up!” JC hissed, punching Chris in the shoulder.


“You can't sit in the car in the airport all night. I can't believe you locked Rachel out of the car.”


“It was her dumb ass that got out first. I told her I didn't want to go to Pittsburgh but she put me in the car. Shut up, Rachel! I told you I didn't want to go!” they heard her yell and pounding ensue. “Call the cops, not like I haven't been to jail before!”


“Chica,” Justin said, trying to keep his voice even, looking at Joey. “We need you here. Joey needs you here.”


“Need me for what? What could you possibly need me for? No one needs me...other than Rachel so she can get in the fucking car.”


“Melissa Nicole,” Joey finally voiced, proud that his voice didn't crack. “Open the damn door and let Rachel in.”


“Make me,” Melissa snapped.


Joey snatched the phone from Lance and took it off speaker. “Goddamn it, Bambina. Quit being such a selfish bitch and let Rachel in the car. And after that, you better apologize to her and then to me. I'm not in the mood to listen to your bullshit,” he listened to what was going on and his voice softened. “No. You don't have to come...I know. Yeah, I cut it. No one to impress or anything. It's okay, Mel.” He handed the phone back to Lance and rubbed his face hard. Joey looked at the other three when they just stared. “She was being stubborn.”


“You called her a bitch,” Chris said, surprised.


“She called me a motherfucker, so we're even,” Joey told him, “I'm sure Rachel will go drown her in the mall fountain by tomorrow evening if they're even talking by then.”


“This is better than any Springer episode ever,” Justin said, shaking his head. “Let's go eat. I can't wait to see what the fuck happens tomorrow.”


“I'm sure you won't be disappointed,” JC told him as they met up with the rest of the wedding party. He just hoped the girls would be alright if they were staying in Florida. He sent a text to Rachel. 'You okay?' his phone buzzed with a quick reply back.


'Fine. After this drama I'm running away to a deserted island.'


'Can I come too?' he asked, chuckling at himself.


'I'll have my people contact your people. Going to see Mr. Chow and then go back home. Might sleep tonight if I can drug Mel. Wish me luck.'


'Uh, good luck..I think.' JC shut his phone and sat down, looking at the menu. He knew why he was in Pittsburgh. It wasn't because he thought Joey's marriage was a good idea. Or because he was absolutely happy about the blessed event. He was there because his friend needed him. He knew Joey would need him in the next few months, and so he'd be there. Even if he didn't agree with it. Josh thought about Joey's situation and what he would do if it was reversed. He might be in the same boat and in that case, he'd want as many people as there as possible that loved him. He thought of Melissa and prayed things would be alright, worried about her and Rachel. But there was nothing he could do being so far away.


*^*^*^*^*^*^*


“Rachel, wake up!” Rachel's eyes barely opened and she groaned. “What's wrong? What time is it?”


“We're going, I got our tickets changed to the 2:15 flight to Pittsburgh. We should be there by 6:30,” Melissa said, bouncing on one foot and then the other. “Get up Rach! All our stuff is still in the car,” she pointed out, flipping on the light as Rachel clenched her eyes shut.


“You couldn't have decided this earlier?” Rachel asked, having just gotten to sleep a couple hours before, staying up with her friend until Melissa had decided to go to bed. Or so she thought. “Did you sleep?” Rachel blinked a couple times and looked at her friend and sighed.


“About an hour,” Melissa told her, her glasses on and her hair pulled up. She had her purse and was ready to walk out the door.


“Give me a little bit to get dressed and we'll go. What made you change your mind?” Rachel got up and grabbed the jeans she'd been wearing the day before, along with some clean clothes.


“I hated not being there where Joey was. It sounds stupid, and I'm going to be an emotional wreck, but I have to go. He's my best friend,” she finished, biting her lip. Melissa held up a small plastic bag with a jewelry store logo on it. “Besides, I have a present.” It had been in her room with Rachel's stuff for the past couple of months until Melissa had moved back in to Lance's house.


Rachel nodded, sending up a small prayer when she went in to brush her teeth. She prayed that her friend could make it through what was going to happen later. A part of her wanted to tell Melissa it was too late, but if Rachel had some hair brained scheme in the middle of the night, she could count on her best friend to come along. They made it to the airport and checked in, sitting waiting for the call to board.


“You think Joey's asleep?” Melissa asked softly, messing with her phone.


“Don't call him,” Rachel told her. “If he's asleep, he'll see any message you send him in the morning.”


“Wasn't gonna call him, was just asking. He's probably drunk. Tonight I plan on forgetting the whole day.”


“Then why are we going if you want to forget the day. Sort of a moot point,” Rachel pointed out, giving Melissa a look when she gave one of her own. “Just saying. Earlier you weren't going because you were a basket case, now we're getting on a plane at oh my god thirty in the morning. I'm going to sleep. I would say you should too, but that probably won't happen.” She gave Melissa's hand a reassuring squeeze. “He'll be happy to see you, Mel.”


*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^^***^


Melissa took a deep breath and looked at her reflection in the mirror above the visor once more. She'd held back tears, proud of herself. It had taken a lot of courage to make it to this point, to decide she was going to walk into the church and support her best friend on his wedding day. The small box sat wrapped beside her, seeming somewhat insignificant now, but this was what had kept her going to this decision. Melissa chewed on her bottom lip after getting out of her car. She was early, but she knew Joey was already there getting ready. Lance and the rest of the group were there too, all of them together. Rachel was still getting ready, promising Melissa she would be there before the wedding started.


Her eyes avoided looking at the decorations, and she didn't sign the guestbook. A lump of emotions welled up in her throat as she made her way down the hallway towards the door where the groom's party was, hearing shouts and laughter coming from within. Melissa held her hand up, ready to knock on the door when she hesitated. She'd come to give Joey a gift, to talk to him. But what if she couldn't do it? What if her emotions threatened to run away with her like they'd done countless times over the past few months. Melissa hadn't come there to ruin Joey's wedding day.


Before she could knock, the door opened and Justin jumped a little at seeing someone on the other side of the door. "Chica," Justin said softly, pulling pulling her into an embrace.


"Don't," Melissa whispered after momentarily allowing herself to seek comfort; to draw a little bit of strength from Justin. "If you start, if you look at me that way, I'll start bawling my eyes out and I won't be able to do this. I need to do this Justin. I need to speak with him. Just for a couple minutes. It's...it's just something I need to do." Looking back on this moment, Melissa would have been proud of herself for holding it together, but right now she didn't feel very put together.


Justin stared down at the woman in front of him who still had refused to meet his eyes. His heart went out to her. He knew today wouldn't be easy for her. He shouldn't be surprised she was here; if the roles were reversed, he would have put as much distance between the church and himself as possible. But it just went to her character that she was here putting her own heartbreak aside and be happy for the man she loved who was marrying someone else.

"Hey, man," Justin craned his neck to the man behind him. He leaned closer to Lance, whispering in his ear. "Melissa wants a few minutes alone with Joey."


Melissa watched Lance's head snap in her direction. Her eyes met his piercing green gaze but she never wavered. There was no way she was going to let him or anyone else talk her out of this. She swallowed hard and nodded slightly. Her hands were now shaking and she hid that by fiddling with the box in her hands. Her eyes went to a spot on the wall above their heads, trying to drown out what was being whispered, She knew it was about her and about her being there.


Lance watched his sister and wished things had been different. He'd seen her break down, scream and cry and now here she was. It wasn't for herself, but for Joey. Lance walked over to where Joey was sitting, fiddling with his cell phone, his tuxedo shirt still unbuttoned and his tie hanging around his neck undone. "Hey, Joe," Lance said, giving him a small smile. "You got a visitor." He looked down at his friend,. Gone were the dyed red tips. After Kristen had complained, Joey had given in and had his hair colored back to his natural dark hair color. His face clean shaven, something he hadn't seen but once or twice in the last few years.


Joey's head snapped up at Lance's words and his eyes widened when he caught site of Melissa standing in the open door. His heart stumbled. A lump rose in his throat and his breath hitched. He saw the pain etched on Melissa's face and he tried to catch her eye, but she kept her gaze firmly averted. The guys filed from the room to give them time alone and he almost called them back. If they stayed, he wouldn't have to do this. He wouldn't have to open himself up to the pain that was sure to come. But he stayed silent and the door shut behind Chris with a soft click, leaving him alone with the one person he loved more than anything in this world. The one person he swore to the moon and back he would never hurt.


There wasn't a day that passed since New Years that his brain didn't bring up the image of Melissa when he told her Kristen was pregnant and he was marrying her. His heart broke into pieces and sometimes he could still hear the sob that escaped from Melissa; that pained sob, wretched from her soul. He could still see the tears streaming down her face and feel the haphazard fists on his chest as she tried to hurt him as he had hurt her. What she didn't know was there was nothing she could have done to make his heart hurt anymore than it did at that moment. Gone from his life was his best friend; his other half. He knew with Lance still being his friend his path would still cross with Melissa but their relationship had been forever altered.


Bambina," Joey whispered as he stood from his chair. He ached to touch her. To reach out, grab her and pull her into her arms. He wanted to hold her and never let her go. He wanted to promise her that they would be together. He wanted to wrap her up in his arms, hold her against him and run from the church. Run until Mel was back in his life, by his side. But he couldn't. He stuffed his hands in his trouser pockets. An act that hopefully would keep him from reaching out for her. "You came. I-- I wasn't sure you would." He was still a little hurt about what had happened in California, but it paled emotionally in comparison to this.


"I wasn't sure I would either until I was dragging Rachel to the airport this morning around one," Melissa admitted, taking a step or two towards Joey. Her eyes finally met his, green ones blinking back tears to his brown ones. Eyes she thought she would drown in, that she'd seen angry and sad and loving. Mel bit her lip and looked away, bringing out the package. "I wanted to give you something," she told him, her voice shaking slightly.


Melissa's heart ached. She couldn't give him what Kristen was, which was a baby. Not because she couldn't get pregnant, it just hadn't happened. She stuffed down that jealous monster, trying to live in the moment. This one that had them together. She reminded herself it was to tell Joey goodbye, to wish him luck and to let him go. She wasn't sure she could do it any other way. It wasn't that she wanted to do it, but it was necessary. "I saw it and knew you had to have it," Melissa held out the box to him.


Joey's fingers brushed hers as the box exchanged hands. At the contact their eyes briefly met. The pain in Melissa's stole his breath and he gave a hard swallow. The present was the size of a jewelry box and it was on the tip of his tongue to crack a joke about marriage. But he squelched it. Nothing about today was a joking matter. He pulled the silver ribbon donning the box, letting it fall to the floor. Using his thumb he lifted the top. He breath caught as he stared down at the items nestled inside.

"They're cufflinks," Melissa told him. She didn't need to tell him, but the silence was overbearing. It never used to be like that between them. They didn't have that kind of relationship where they needed to fill every gap. "I spotted them in a jewelry store and drug Rachel in." She held back that this was supposed to be a wedding gift from her as Joey's bride-to-be. Now it was sort of a going away present, something to remember her by. The lump in her throat grew and tears welled in her eyes. She knew Joey wouldn't wear the 24 Karat gold S with garnets surrounding it, the Superman emblem, but she knew he would be excited to have something like that, something different.


"Oh Mel," Joey gasped as he held one of the cufflinks up to get a better look at it. It was a well known fact that he was a Superman fanatic - anything Superman. If it had a Superman logo on it, he probably had it. "These must have cost a fortune..." He looked at Melissa before looking back at the links.

Melissa shrugged, "They were worth it." And they were because she could file the look that Joey had on his face when he saw them away in her mind.

"Can you help me put them on?" Joey asked, holding his breath.


Melissa put them on, praying the whole time she wouldn't drop one of them. "There," she said, admiring his 'jewelry' and wondered if he was going to get ready.She didn't want him to. She wanted him to see his face light up as he shouted 'April Fool's' and take off his tux revealing normal clothes underneath. She wanted the door to thrust open revealing the guys and Rachel laughing at the look on her face once the joke was revealed. She fingered the edges of Joey's shirt still hanging open.

"You aren't going like that are you?" Melissa stared at the white undershirt covering his chest. She ran her fingers against his stomach. "I had..." she began but stopped, swallowing hard. A tear fell and she ignored it, knowing others would take its place. She had to tell him, to make him understand. "I had this whole speech planned out I was going to tell you," she said softly. Melissa's hands shook a little as she buttoned his shirt, reaching up for the next set.

She didn't look up at Joey, her hands pausing at every set of buttons, trying to memorize him. This moment. She got to the tie and had to look at him to tie it correctly. "Now I don't know what I was going to say at all...if it even mattered," she whispered, her hands reaching up for his face barely grazing his cheek.


Joey caught Melissa's hand in his own and held it against his cheek. His eyes drifted close and he felt a tear roll down his cheek. He squeezed his eyes shut in hopes of stopping the tears, but more continued to fall; one right after the other. He pursed his lips trying to stop the quiver threatening to overtake them and when that didn't work he bit his bottom lip. The pain was intense. He had never felt anything like this before and he hoped to every God he could think of that he would never feel this way again. "It matters..." he whispered, his voice cracking through the tears. "Oh Bambina, everything about you matters," he lost the restraint he had shown earlier when Melissa appeared in the room and drew her tight against him. He breathed her in, relished in her arms. He kept his eyes closed as he calculated every thing about her; how she felt pressed against him, how she smelled. He caught the scent of her shampoo, the whiff of her perfume, stubbly applied. He memorized the caress of her dangling earrings as they glanced on his cheek as she searched for that spot on his shoulder that had always been - would always be - hers.


Melissa laid her head on Joey's shoulder. His tears brought on more of hers, ones that she couldn't stop. It took her a few minutes for a rational thought to come to her mind, something other than mindless babbling, of begging him not to get married. "You'll be an awesome husband...and a great Dad. And anytime you don't think so, just remember me telling you that you will," her voice was raspy and thick with tears. It took her a minute to get her breathing and voice back under control.“I..I got all my stuff packed,” she told Joey softly. “I didn't know I had so much crap. Or that I needed so much stuff to go in my own place.”


“Three thousand miles away,” Joey added, shaking his head as more tears fell, his eyes closed. He wished he could wake up back in his home in Orlando, with Melissa by his side, his ring still on her finger. Her ridiculous amount of shoes taking up space in his closet and shouts of frustration coming from the kitchen after assuring him the house wasn't burning down. But it wasn't possible. In less than an hour, he would be walking out that door taking his place at the altar, his friends standing next to him, his family in the crowd. The happiest day of his life; his wedding day. But when those doors opened to reveal his bride it wouldn't be his best friend, his other half - his soul mate. It was then he realized that he had truly lost her.

Chapter 24 part 2 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
Part 2 of this chapter.. Enjoy!

“This fuckin' sucks,” Justin said, the four men sitting in a classroom in the church, little kid drawings everywhere. It would have been comical if the emotions surrounding the day were different, sitting on little plastic chairs.


“We're in a church,” Lance pointed out, sighing as he pulled out his phone. He smiled when he got a text from Rachel. “Rachel will be here in a few minutes.” He texted her back where they were.


“Okay..God this fuckin' sucks. Is that any better?” Justin asked, running a hand through his hair, blowing out a breath. “You think Mel and Joey are alright?”


JC looked over at Justin and smiled sadly. “They'll never be alright,” he tried to be funny about it, but it didn't come out right. “I didn't mean-”


“We all know what you meant, Josh. It's those two,” Justin replied, watching Lance get up.


Lance smiled, going out to the church foyer and to the doors when he got the text Rachel was there. He met her at the door and pulled her in for a hug. “You look great for being up most of the night,” he told her, breathing in her perfume and holding her a little tighter. “This is hard,” he said softly, letting his emotions slip for a second while he could, when no one was watching.


Rachel's heart went out to her boyfriend, nodding as she pressed her lips against his. “We'll all get through this together,” she replied, slipping her fingers through his as Lance led her to the classroom where they were. She laughed at them sitting in the chairs. “Having fun Chris?” she asked, watching him and Justin coloring a picture of Noah's ark.


“Well,” Chris colored the sky blue and then signed his name to it before looking at Rachel. “Considering I'd rather be having a root canal than watch one of my brothers from another mother get married to today, I'd say no. Other than that, I'm great.”


Rachel let go of Lance's hand to greet the guys, giving them hugs. Her heart flip flopped when she got to JC, noting how good he looked, hating that they all had looks on their faces that said they would rather be somewhere else. “I guess Mel's with Joey,” she watched them all nod and sat carefully on Lance's lap, smiling when he wrapped his arms around her waist.


“You know we can't act like this when we go back in there,” JC told them all. “I'm not saying act like fools, but we can't act like someone just died. He needs us to be cheerful.”


“He's not cheerful, so I'm not gonna pull it outta my ass, dawg. I'll stand up there pretty as you please and not say a fuckin' word. Then I'm going to go party with all the other fuckers that are here and think it's a bad idea. What?” he asked, seeing the other three men look at him. “It's a bad idea all the way around. We aren't just losing Joey to marriage, we're losing our Melly to California. It's like being kicked in the balls twice.”


“I have no balls, but I second what Justin said,” Rachel said, the conversation turning to various subjects as they waited. It was all downhill as far as she was concerned, praying that the whole day would go smoothly for everyone involved.


*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^


Melissa watched the gauntlet of emotions run across Joey's face. She reached behind him a little to the couch where his vest was sitting, picking it up and holding it out to him so he could finish getting ready. The guys should be in here, cutting up and making him laugh. Melissa had no idea what they were doing, feeling a bit guilty now. She hadn't meant to take up Joey's last hour as a single man. She buttoned it up after he got it on, going and pinning the boutonniere to the jacket in the right place. "Don't tell I helped finish getting you ready..." she'd forgotten how many times she'd messed with his clothes backstage, the quick kisses stolen as he ran off again. A smile came to her face.


Melissa blew out a breath and looked at Joey, smoothing out his jacket. "You never know how strong you are until you let go of something you thought you couldn't live without. I'm letting you go, Joey. You will always have my heart..." her voice faltered a bit but she recovered. "Promise me you'll be happy." She had to hear him say it. She couldn't say it back to him but she'd be satisfied if he said it to her.


Joey stared at Melissa, searching her eyes. He brought up a hand, palming her cheek. His thumb brushed away a tear that fell from her eye. He wasn't sure how much more he could take. How much more he could put on his heart. He wasn't sure if he could every truly recover from this. His life was about to veer off onto a path he never saw. It was about to become immensely different. He moved his vacant hand up so he cradled Melissa's face.


"I wish I had taken a lot more care of your heart," he whispered. "And I'm sorry."


There were more words he wanted to say but he couldn't speak past the lump in his throat. He wasn't sure if he could put that kind of weight onto Melissa's shoulders. He loved her too much. He had to take a page out of her own book. He had to lie to her. Lie so she could move on. How much it pained him to even think about, that she would find someone out there that would make her happy. Who would cherish her as much as he cherished her. "I"ll be happy, my Bambina." He leaned down and softly kissed her lips. When he pulled back he watched as Melissa quickly turned around and headed for the door. "I love you," he whispered as the door closed.


Joe Fatone, Senior came to the door of the room where Joey was. His friends were talking quietly, giving their friend a few moments. He looked at the expressions on their faces and paused. It didn't feel like a wedding should. It felt forced, like the real emotions were running just under the surface. "I need to talk to my son for a moment," he'd told them before they could get back into where Joey was. He opened the door and went inside the room, the door closing with a soft click.


Joey looked at his father and shook his head slowly. "Don't say it, Pop. I don't think I can hear it...I have a child to think about, I want to be there for that child.." he said, leaning heavily on the table that was in the room.


“You have a big heart Joey," the older man said, putting a hand on his son's shoulder. "You're a good man. You have family and friends that love you. No matter what you do." He'd seen Phyllis and Rachel sitting with Melissa and he'd walked on before he could get choked up. They'd all put on a brave face; hers braver than most. "You do whatever you think is right."


"What I think is right and what I'm doing is two different things. How do I know this is right, Pop? I don't know if this will work, if it will blow up in my face! Kristen says she loves me, but I don't know if it's for me or for what's in my checking account and my lifestyle. The baby's just another part of it..." anger came to his voice. "You have no idea how many times I wished I could go back and change what happened. It makes me sound like a horrible person." Joey stood up and took a deep breath. "I haven't just sat and thought about it all..."


Justin stuck his head in the door, feeling bad for interrupting. "You got five minutes, just so you know," with that he was gone.

"Did I mention tonight was open bar?" Joey said, attempting to smile. His father gave a small grin


"Just be sure this is what you want."


It wasn't what Joey wanted, but it was what he wanted for his child. He wanted his child to have a father and mother both in their life. He wanted what he could give them. A good life and a secure future, a loving parent. "I'm sure," he said, making sure everything looked just right before he went out. Joey gave his friends a nod. "Let's go, ladies," he smiled at them, flicking his brother Steven's ear.

"There's a back door..the limo's parked out there," Justin hissed to Lance, who made a face.

"Shut up," Chris said as they all walked through the back part to go stand beside Joey.


Guests were there both sides almost full. Joey wasn't sure who was there for Kristen's side, he knew the faces on his deciding to quit looking after he'd spotted Melissa and Rachel. He swallowed hard, reminding himself that she'd let him go. She was leaving, moving off. He'd be starting a new phase in his life.

Classical piano music started playing; some that he'd told Kristen he didn't like, but if she wanted to use it he didn't care. That's how most of the wedding planning had been, her ideas, he'd not cared. That wasn't completely true, he'd cared back when he and Melissa were going to get married. He'd helped, giving his input on what he thought would be neat. Now he just wanted to get through this, say his vows and promise his life to the woman having his baby that his heart was trying desperately to love. He sucked in a deep breath when he spotted Kristen and her father at the entry of the church, focusing on her. 'You're going to be an amazing husband and father, anytime you doubt yourself, just remember me telling you,' Melissa's voice said. He tried to shoo that thought out of his mind, but it stayed as he watched Kristen walk down the aisle to him. He watched her say something to her father, who kissed her cheek before handing her off to Joey.



Lance focused hard on Rachel and Melissa as the preacher talked about love and the sanctity of marriage. They were both sitting there, impassive looks on their faces. He'd given Rachel a smile and she'd smiled back but Melissa had just shook her head slightly when he'd smiled at her. He saw her facade crack slightly as she looked away, blinking hard. He focused on what was going on around him and realized why.


“I, Joseph Anthony Fatone, Junior, take you Kristen...”


When the preacher had asked if anyone objected to Joey and Kristen getting married, there was the huge pause that ensued after it and Lance wondered how many people on Joey's side wanted to say something. Truth be told, the other four men in NSYNC had given serious thought to protesting. The only thing that stopped them was that Joey had insisted he wanted to get married. That and Melissa had shown up determined to support Joey. She'd come with a brave face and was now clapping politely with the rest of the crowd as Joey and Kristen kissed. No matter how Joey felt, Lance knew in his heart that it wouldn't ever be right. He'd accept Kristen only as Joey's wife, but that didn't mean he liked the other woman that was now in his best friend's life.


Melissa inched towards the side of the pew that was along the wall. There was a side door not far from them, leading out to a side hall. She'd done what she said she would. Now all she wanted was to leave and go back to the hotel where the reception was being held without having to go through the receiving line. As much as she loved Joey, this was one thing she couldn't do. She wasn't going to greet them both and plaster a smile on her face when her whole world had just ended a few moments ago. Over dramatic maybe, but all she wanted was out of the church. She jumped when she felt a hand on her arm.


“We can beat traffic, haul your ass, woman,” Rachel reassured her as they headed a different direction from the crowd. “Are we going to the reception?” she asked, figuring it was a big fat no as they got to the rental car Melissa had brought to the wedding.


“And torture myself more? No thanks,” she replied, sliding into the passenger side as Rachel got in. She wondered why they weren't going and realized she'd been spacing out for a moment as Rachel talked. “What?” she asked, clearly not having heard a word her best friend said.


“I was just telling you that I thought you did real good,” Rachel repeated as she started the car, seeing whatever walls Melissa had up were coming down. “Let's get out of here. All this wedding crap's making me nauseous,” she smiled a little at Melissa's harrumph.


“If I ever get married, if someone suggests that wedding music I will throw something at their head,” Melissa made a face, shaking her head.


“It was god awful. Justin's beat boxing would have been better.”


“Getting root canal would have been better.” Melissa and Rachel started suggesting outrageous wedding songs, ranging from Billy Idol's 'White Wedding' to songs from various cheesy movies. By the time they got back to the hotel, they were both laughing so hard they had to wipe tears.


Rachel took a shaky breath and looked over at her best friend. “So...are we still going with Plan A?” she asked, watching Melissa nod. Plan A had been hatched on the plane ride over. They would forgo the wedding reception to have a party in Lance's room. Rachel would miss out dancing with Lance and JC, but she wasn't going to spend the next few hours watching Melissa live through seeing Joey and Kristen being true newlyweds and acting disgustingly happy. She wasn't sure she could stomach it either.


*^*^*^*^*^*^

“I love you,” Joey told Kristen, pulling her close and kissing her when they got out to the foyer to greet the guests that had come to the wedding. He smiled at her, looking down at the metal band that encircled his finger. “What do you think, Mrs. Fatone?” Joey's smile lessened a little as the words rolled off his tongue seeing her smile widen.


“I think I can't wait for later tonight after the reception,” Kristen replied gazing down at the rings on her finger. No one would say a word if they snuck off a little bit early from the reception and went to their room. “I'm just glad we got married now. I can't imagine trying to waddle down the aisle,” she told Joey, kissing him once more before the ushers opened the doors to let guests start coming out.


Joey pasted a smile on his face, but his mind was a mess as he hugged people, accepted congratulations and laughed. He'd tried to get the wedding date pushed back, but Kristen had insisted, getting an ugly look on her face when Joey told her they made wedding gowns for pregnant women and he hardly doubted she'd be the first ever to wear one. That was an ugly one sided fight, with Joey sitting there spacing out as Kristen yelled at him. He'd went to bed, telling her she could leave when she was done. Now here he was, married with a tour about to start. Wade had swallowed his tongue when Joey told him he'd be back from his honeymoon three days before the tour started. The last thought that came to his mind was Melissa moving. No more just going to Lance's to hang out with her. She was separating herself from him. He wondered briefly if he could convince Kristen to move to the west coast, but knew that wasn't possible. He wasn't going to keep his child across the country from both sets of grandparents. He came back to the present as Lance and Melissa's parents stepped in front of him, giving them both what he hoped was a warm smile.


“We're so happy for you, Joey,” Linda Bass told Joey, kissing his cheek in a motherly fashion, hugging him tight. “You know you're family...” she whispered as Joey nodded mutely. She was surprised when Joey held on to her a second longer, patting him reassuringly on the back before letting him go and smiling. “I think this is the first time in a couple of years I've seen you fully shaved.”


Joey shrugged and accepted James Bass' hand for a handshake. “It doesn't happen very often. You know someone hated me to shave..” he cut it off there, letting Linda speak to Kristen as he hugged James. “Thanks for coming.”


“We wouldn't have missed it,” he replied, squeezing Joey's shoulder affectionately.


They got through all the guests and were standing there with the wedding party when Kristen said the words Joey had hoped to avoid.

“I didn't see your sister, Lance. Did she come?” Kristen said sweetly as if nothing was wrong with asking Lance as the guys and Joey all eyed each other.


Lance eyed Joey and then Kristen and decided to play nice. They had wedding pictures and then the reception. He could be nice to her for that long, since she was married to Joey. “Yeah, she was here. She and Rachel probably bailed . They're like that...James Bond stuff.”


“Oh well I was wanting to ask her about doing some drawings for the baby's room-”


“Are you kidding me, Kris?” Joey interrupted her, glaring. “You're kidding right?”


“She told me she wasn't going to draw for a while, so I don't think that will work,” Chris interjected, hoping it would diffuse the situation. He breathed a sigh of relief when no one said anything else about it and the couple was called back in for pictures.


“Is she fuckin' serious?” Justin exclaimed, jabbing his finger in the direction Joey and Kristen had went. “Tell me we are not going to have to put up with that shit.”


“Justin, we're in a church,” JC pointed out once again, sighing.


“I know where I am. I just watched one of my best friends marry someone who's going to make him miserable for the rest of his life.”


“Come on, man. We all have to be supportive..it's not going to be easy with Mel moving to California,” Lance pointed out. This wasn't the Melissa Bass he'd known, the same person who hated traffic and driving was moving to a place where there were six lanes in one direction. “Sounds sort of selfish..she'll freak out about the traffic and come home.”


“Rachel said she was going out there with her for a few weeks before she comes back on tour with us...She'll fly out and see her at least once a month,” Lance told them all. “I asked her why she was moving...she couldn't give me a straight answer.”



“She's running away,” Joey said quietly as heads snapped up. “When it becomes to big to deal with, if she can't hide, Mel runs away,” his voice was quiet and his hands were stuffed in his pockets. Kristen and her group of bridesmaids were in the church getting pictures taken so he'd come out to where his friends were. Joey cleared his throat. “Just let her go...if that's what she wants.”


Justin watched Joey stand there a minute before walking off in the direction of the restrooms. “I knew one of us should have said something when the preacher asked. The whole world's fucked up now,” he growled, shaking his head sadly.


*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^


Rachel and Melissa grinned as they lined up the bottles along the dresser the mini bar sat on. There was beer, a couple bottles of wine and two different bottles of hard liquor. Also included were Coke and Sprite, plus some snacks. They'd also raided Chris' fridge and gotten his alcohol as well, leaving his door open between his room and Lance's.


“Well, let's get this party started,” Melissa told Rachel, popping the cork on the wine and pouring them both glasses almost full. “I don't want to remember any of this. Maybe the part before the wedding when I went to talk to Joey. That was nice,” she sipped her wine and sat down on the end of Lance's bed.


“Yeah, did he like his present?” Rachel asked her, watching her nod and sipped her own wine. She wasn't a wine person per se, but this blush they were drinking was good.


“They were a hit. I helped him get ready...we talked and I told him goodbye and kissed him. Then I came out to where you were.”


“No tears, Mel,” Rachel told her, leaning over to grab the remote off of the nightstand. “Let's watch some television. Get those thoughts out of your mind. We will have fun,” she told her friend, stopping at MTV. She poured them both a shot of whiskey and they downed it. Another one had them smiling.


“I wanna go downstairs,” Melissa said after a few moments. “I can stand it for that long.”


“You're sure?” Rachel asked, looking her friend over. When Melissa nodded once more, Rachel grabbed her clutch and the key card. “The moment you want to come back up and party just the two of us, say the word.”


“I hope to be stupidly drunk by then, but if I'm not, I'll definitely let you know. We can come back to the room and finish what we started.” Melissa knew Rachel had wanted to dance with Lance and Josh and she didn't want to miss seeing the guys and Joey's family that usually only came in for holidays. It was selfish, but in a way, she wanted to see Joey too. Even if he wasn't hers, she could still love him from far away.

Chapter 25 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
Okay I didn't realize when I posted this the first time it was't all there. (Curse you Dinkleberg..) anyhoo. Enjoy the FULL chapter this time and my apologizes.
“Look who saved us a seat,” Justin cheered, genuinely surprised to see Rachel and Melissa sitting at a table. He knew Joey had put them all together in a group for seating. He smiled big, getting to them first. “Who's dancing with me first?” he eyed Rachel and then Melissa, pulling them both up as the rest of the guys minus Joey came in. “Come on chicas, we need a shot of Jack.”

“I thought you weren't coming,” JC fell into step with Rachel, giving her a look. He was glad the girls were there, hoping he could dance with Rachel to a slow song, that the reception wouldn't be as emotionally taxing as the wedding was.

“Someone changed their mind,” she took the shot glass and smiled when JC joined them, all taking a shot. Rachel turned and smiled at Lance, watching him come towards them. Her boyfriend and Chris ordered shots as well. “The bartender's gonna be busy tonight,” she said, watching Justin and Melissa have another shot. “Easy there, Bass.”

“I flew up here with the sole purpose of drinking until I forget today,” Melissa told Rachel, making the guys still. “I don't think I can forget five years. There's not enough alcohol,” she told her best friend, smiling sadly. “And look,” Melissa pointed towards where the bride and groom were about to enter, “I can smile and pretend to be happy.”

Without her knowing it, Chris had sided up to Mel, holding on to her just enough so it appeared he was hugging her. He downed the shot he had, setting the glass back on the bar. “We got you tonight, Melly,” he whispered, watching her blink back tears as Joey and Kristen were introduced, amidst claps and whistles, all of them doing their part to make it look like they were thrilled with what was going on.

“But who has Joey?” Melissa whispered back, watching Joey carefully. He had the smile on his face he got when dealing with the media, doing interviews for long hours, the same questions over and over when he was tired. The fake smile. Her own facade slipped a little and she looked away, not able to stomach the thought of Joey not being hers. It was real..and getting more real by the second.

“Not sure how long this will last,” Rachel told Lance as they looked at his sister who was standing there with Chris. “Tell her to breathe,” she told Justin, punching him in the shoulder.

“Breathe Chica,” Justin said, pulling her from Chris and back to the table. They were all seated and dinner was being served. “What the hell is this?” he asked, making a face at his plate. “I said I wanted the steak.”

“It is steak, just a little one,” Chris pointed out, not sure about his dish. “I told them chicken.”

“I bet fifty bucks Joey has someone go get McDonald's before the night is over,” Melissa said, her eyes not leaving the table where Joey and Kristen were.


“What's wrong?” Kristen looked at her husband, watching him push his food around on his plate. “I thought you liked steak.”

“I like something that's more than one bite of food. Tell me there's more,” Joey said, his nerves frayed. The whole reception looked ridiculous in his opinion. It was too busy and overdone, but what did he care. He just wanted his family and friends to have a good time. They were all eating and his eyes drifted over to the table that held his band mates. He'd been floored to walk in and see Melissa and Rachel there. He knew that was as close as he was going to get to his best friend for the night and comforted himself in the fact that she was there at all.

“There's more. Finger foods will be available all night, there's drinks...what else did you want?” Kristen said, watching Joey spear a cooked carrot and snarl at it.

“McDonald's. Burger King. Jack In The Box,” Joey commented, eating and deciding he'd send Steve out later if he remembered. “What flavor is the cake?” he asked, eying the tiered sugary confection. He felt a little bad, not even knowing about the cake until Kristen had shown him a picture a couple days ago when he gave her a stupid look about it. He just hadn't cared.

“Vanilla, chocolate and lemon.”

“Good,” Joey said, thanking God for small miracles. Now if he could just get through it all with his heart and emotions intact, he'd be doing well. Dinner and cake came and went, then it was time for the first dance. He prayed it wasn't one of their songs as his arms moved to pull Kristen in closer. Savage Garden started playing and Joey let his mind wander. This was as good as something he'd have come up with, even better actually. He had cared less about what the song was. A band was supposed to come play in a little while, switching out with the DJ.

“I love you,” Kristen told Joey, laying her head on him, smiling when he kissed her head softly.

“I love you too,” Joey replied, his heart twisting at the words. He was going to try to do just that, having promised that very thing in front of his family and friends and God. He was going to do it if it killed him, and it just might. Swallowing a lump in his throat, Joey looked over to the table where Melissa was, watching her laugh at something Justin said, wishing like hell it was him she was giving that smile to.


“He looks miserable,” Janine told Phyllis, who frowned at her, “Well he does!”

“Your brother's tired,” Phyllis told her, knowing she was lying to her daughter as well as herself. Truth be told, she was exhausted from keeping up pretenses all day and was thinking about calling it a night. Her in laws and parents, as well as a few of the older relatives on both sides had went up to their respective rooms already. The younger crowd was out on the dance floor, leaving parents and the 'middle aged' party goers coming and going. She got up and looked at her daughter. “I'm going to go talk to Linda and Jim. Come tell me if your father wants to leave,” she said, looking over at where Joe Senior had went, talking to one of his cousins from New York.

Janine sat at the table, watching Joey sit there. Kristen had her friends at the head table and he was stuck there entertaining them. She observed Joey's head turn to listen to something Kristen had to say, then his facial expression change. “Uh oh..I've seen that look,” she muttered to herself, Joey's mouth pressing into a thin line and his brow furrow. She grew even more confused when the girls around Kristen all said something and Joey got up, stalking towards the table that held his band mates.


“She wants what?” Lance said, looking over at where Kristen was sitting and back at Joey. “Did you tell her we'd sing?”

“You think I want to sing?” Joey said, a little louder than he meant to, running a hand through his hair. “I'm on my way to being FUBAR'ed and she asks me if I will 'please' sing a song to her,” Joey growled, shaking his head. “I can't sing. I'll be lucky to be on key with Lance and Chris.”

“You think we'll be much better, dude?” Justin asked, all of them feeling good with the alcohol they'd consumed. “Fine. What the fuck ever. One damn song.”

“What song?” JC asked, grinning when Joey suggested 'Bye Bye Bye', knowing his friend was still pissed. “We'd fall on our asses.”

“I'd pay money to see that,” Rachel interjected, making them all chuckle. “Lots of money.”

“Not happening,” Chris told her, seeing someone and telling the guys he'd be back. Along with family and friends, Joey had asked a few of his friends in the music industry to come. He came back with Joe and smiled wide. “We're saved,” he said, talking over the song.

Joey stood there looking out at the crowd. He kept telling himself he could sing, the microphone in his hand. “Well, this was a surprise to me...My wife, Kristen, requested that we sing. So here's a song for you Kris.”

Joey gave her a smile and was glad Joe had come, starting “I Believe In You”. It was a lie. In the bottom of his heart he knew it was a lie. As the words passed his lips, the woman on his mind wasn't Kristen. The men beside him on the stage sounded good, glad it wasn't as bad as what he'd thought. He faltered momentarily when he saw Rachel reach for a napkin, pressing it against Melissa's face, wiping tears. He quit singing then, mouthing the words. Joey looked over at Lance and gave him the signal for 'out' on harmonizing and let Chris take over his part.

Melissa's head turned when she heard a voice drop out. She didn't have to guess whose it was. Joey wasn't singing. Her eyes met his and she stared. He was hurting and it hurt her to have to be watching and not able to do anything about it. She took a deep breath and it came back out as a sigh. She reached over and squeezed Rachel's hand hard. Melissa wondered now if this was a good idea, her own emotions at the brink of crumbling.

“We can leave, Mel. You don't have to stay,” Rachel whispered, watching Melissa and Joey look at one another. She raised an eyebrow at Lance, not sure of what to think. She knew they were all inebriated, making everything different.

The chorus came up and Chris wanted to end the song. He wanted to quit singing like Joey had. This was a joke, sitting here watching his friends be unhappy. Melissa and Rachel were talking, once in a while looking at them. It wasn't hard to guess the subject. The man sitting next to him should have been the happiest guy ever. Chris knew that had nothing to do with becoming a father. Joey was excited about that. However, the subject of who he was marrying was sobering. As they harmonized for the end of the song, cheers started and he quickly put his microphone up, not wanting anyone to get the idea for them to sing any more. “Whatta ya need Joey?” Chris asked his friend, throwing his arm around him as they walked away from where they'd sang.

“Tequila. Lots of tequila,” Joey replied, glad when Chris led him to the bar.

“I think you're being out drank,” Justin hollered at Melissa and Rachel. “Oh shit,” Justin said, watching Melissa get up. He hadn't meant to bring Joey and Melissa together, watching Kristen get interested in what they were doing.

“Let her come have a shot for the love of God,” Lance muttered at Justin, pulling his sister up to the bar next to Joey.

“Bad idea,” Justin sang softly, watching Kristen get up.


Joey looked over at Melissa and took the shot. “You drinkin' with me tonight, Bass? You're behind I think,” he said, sliding the glass over to her, his eyes glassy. “Show me how it's done, Bambina.”

Melissa nodded, looking at the three shots in front of her. She took Joey's first, downing it, then immediately going for the other two. “Ha!” she told him, slamming the last glass down in front of him. “Whoa..” she stood there a second, the alcohol rushing through her.

Joey saw Kristen standing a few feet away and glaring at him and sighed. “We came here to party. Let's get this thing started.”

Melissa nodded, grabbing Rachel and the two of them made their way to the DJ before making their way back to their table.

Lance raised his eyebrow as his girlfriend and his sister removed their heels. “What are they doing?” he asked Joey, watching as the girls went to the dance floor. The people there cleared a path and he heard Chris mutter.

The song clearly wasn't an NSYNC song, but Rachel and Melissa were doing a combination of dance moves from Bye Bye Bye and It's Gonna Be Me in time with the music, throwing in some of their own. Justin joined in, a smile on his face when the two of them kissed him on the cheek.

“Oh hell no,” Kristen muttered as the other four guys joined in, with more people making their way to the dance floor. It was the most action the reception had seen and she glared in Joey's direction as he pulled Rachel to him, dancing with her provocatively.

“Your wife's gonna be pissed,” Rachel said, laughing at his over dramatic hip thrust.

“Don't care,” Joey said as the music changed, pulling her into a proper slow dance position, his hand on her waist, the other hand enclosed around hers. “What did one casket say to the other?”

Rachel shook her head. Only Joey would think of stupid jokes at a time like this. “What Joey?”

“Is that you coffin?”

Rachel laughed and saw his gaze wander over to where Chris was dancing with Melissa. She saw Joey's fingers wiggle in their direction. “I'd change places with her in a minute,” she said, their faces close so she didn't have to talk loud over the music.

“I'd sell my soul to be Chris. Never thought I'd say that,” Joey told Rachel, sighing. “I love you Rachel...I don't mean it like that.”

“I know what you meant. And I know you love me. Who doesn't?” Rachel saw a smile come to his face once more. The song ended and Joey kissed her cheek quickly. “Have fun...Looks like your dance card is full,” he gave her a smile and went to dance with Kristen.

Rachel turned to see JC standing there as another slow song came on. “Is it your turn?” she asked, smiling at him as he nodded.

“Lance lost in rock, scissors, paper,” JC told her, his smile growing when his hands touched her. It was the same position Joey had been in, however just a bit closer. He couldn't hold her as close as he wanted, since she wasn't his, but Josh wasn't about to act like they weren't dancing.

“I can't believe you played that stupid game to figure out who was dancing with me first,” Rachel told him, laughing when he blushed a little and shook his head. “I love that I made you blush Mr. Chasez.”

JC leaned into Rachel and looked at her, his blue gaze holding hers. He let his grip on her tighten for a moment, wishing he could pull her close to him and wrap his arms around her waist. Holding her like this but not being able to hold her like he wanted was torture. “I like the feeling, Ms. Weatherly. Just don't tell anyone.”

Rachel's grin broadened at JC's words. She felt herself sway a little closer; unable to pull away from his gaze. “Your secret's safe with me Josh,” she promised, glad that Melissa had decided that she wanted to come down for the reception. She didn't feel bad for dancing with JC, they weren't doing anything wrong. And the fact that Lance was waiting to dance with her was nice as well. It was nice to feel wanted, especially with the fact that the man she was dancing with now seemed to be enjoying himself.

“You staring won't make things change, Chica,” Justin pointed out as Melissa's eyes kept wandering to where Joey was. “You're killing me, Bass. He's married. No one stood up and screamed foul,” he said softly, breaking her gaze off to look at him. “Remember what I told you?” Justin asked her as she nodded. “What was it?”

Melissa's buzz was wearing off where she could think better and she sighed, leaning on Justin. “That he's always gonna be my homeboy...Like it matters,” she muttered.

“Course it matters,” Justin told her, watching his other friends. “We all need a Melly in our lives. And now you're moving...Bitch.”

“Don't hate the player, hate the game,” Melissa told him, watching Justin laugh.

“You even sound like Fatone,” Justin shook his head and pulled her to the bar. “We need a drink.”

Melissa went with Justin, thinking she needed more than one, but took the offered shot. She smiled at Rachel, watching her talk to JC and Lance. That was the biggest reason for coming down to the reception. She wanted her friend to have some fun.



“So you finally came to dance with me?” Lance inquired, watching Rachel laugh. He pulled her in close, dropping a kiss on her lips and then one to her jaw back by her ear. “Did JC tell you I lost?” he asked, listening to her chuckle.

“I can't help it you suck at a little kids game,” Rachel told her boyfriend, letting Lance hold her closer than JC had, not caring if someone stared. She felt comfortable with him, sighing when he ran a hand up and down her back. “I'm surprised we're still here,” she told him.

“I am too. Not sure when we'll be done. When Fatone calls it a night I guess. Hopefully when you and Mel leave, we won't get bombarded with bridesmaids,” Lance rolled his eyes and smiled at Rachel's glare in their general direction.

“I'll come yank a nasty bitches fake color out of her head,” Rachel warned Lance. She saw Justin and Melissa at the bar. “Timberlake doesn't mind getting her drunk does he?” It wasn't an accusing tone, just curious.

“Justin will drink as long as he has someone to drink with him. My sister is just a willing participant.” Lance was glad his parents had went to their hotel room already. No one had acted stupid yet, but the night was still young. It wasn't quite ten thirty.

“I love you,” Rachel told Lance before the song ended.

“I love you too,” Lance replied, leaning in and kissing her. “I love you even more saying my name,” he whispered in her ear, making her blush. “That stroked my ego like you wouldn't believe.”

“You're horrible!” Rachel smacked him on the shoulder and grinned.

“I'm horrible and you love me..I should have personality disorder,” Lance quipped, smiling as he wound their fingers together leading her away from the dance floor and towards their table to get some hordervuers.



The alcohol burned and Melissa handed the glass back to the bartender. “I'm going to go say hi to Steve and Janine,” she told Justin, wandering through the crowd to find Joey's siblings. She blinked back tears when Janine pulled her in for a hug.

“You're a brave woman,” Janine told Melissa, holding back tears for the woman she thought was going to be her sister in law. “We love you, Melissa Bass. Don't forget that.”

“I won't. I love you too. You and David will have to come visit me in California when I get settled.”

“We will,” Janine promised, smiling when Steve came and goosed the younger woman. The three of them talked before an old Toto song came on and Melissa yelped in laughter, not having noticed the band came back to play.

“Our song's on!” Melissa yelled to Chris, laughing more as he sang along, coming to retrieve her as the chorus started.

“I requested this,” Chris told her, shrugging, “Meet you all the way, meet you all the way, Roseanna yeah,” he sang, watching Melissa laugh and shake her head. “Hey, it was either this or the theme song to Oklahoma.”




“You going to dance anymore?” Joey asked Kristen, having shed his tuxedo jacket and lost his tie. When she shook her head, he shrugged. “Your loss I guess, Kris.”

“What's that supposed to mean? It's my wedding reception. I don't see you spending time with me,” Kristen said back, in a mood since she'd watched Joey and Melissa at the bar.

“I'll be spending the next few days with just you. Everyone came from Florida and New York and everywhere else. I'm going to enjoy it.”

“Whatever,” Kristen said, waving him off, clearly more interested in what her friends were saying than in him at the moment.

Joey's teeth ground and then he rolled his eyes when he heard “I Will Survive” start playing, but turned at the laughter. Steve and Janine were in line with Melissa and Rachel, doing the electric slide to the song. They were soon joined by Chris and Lance. Joey shrugged, going to join them, watching as they all had fun. He hoped someone would get pictures of this, knowing they were all buzzed. It was moments like this, ones where he caught Melissa's eyes and gave her a smile, that he thought for a moment the world was spinning the right way once more.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Rachel leaned on the rail of the elevator, watching Melissa stand there. They'd left during the bride and groom dancing before the band left for the night. The reception was still going to go on, just the DJ spinning tunes. Rachel held her shoes in her hand and had Lance's key card ready. “What are you gonna drink first?” she asked, watching Melissa, wipe tears. She sighed to herself. “No crying, Mel.”

“It's my party and I'll cry if I want to,” Melissa told Rachel, wiping her tears with the back of her hand that held her shoes. They got off the elevator and went to Lance's room where they'd left out their stock pile of alcohol. She grabbed the whiskey and all the shot glasses almost full. Grabbing the remote, she turned the television back on and turned up Destiny's Child. “Get over here, Rach. No chickening out.”

Rachel looked at the six shot glasses and at her friend. “We came to get our drink on,” she said, picking up the first glass. She did the shots in quick succession, licking her lips and groaning when the liquor found her stomach.

Melissa grabbed the remote and turned up the music louder as “Oops I Did It Again” came on, opening one of the bottles of Jack and Coke and using it as a microphone. “That I'm sent from above, but I'm not that innocent,” she danced provocatively, making Rachel laugh, grabbing another drink and join her, not caring they were singing loud and acting silly. “Eat your heart out Brit. I'm partying with you ex...” she told the television, kissing it.

“You've lost your mind, Mel,” Rachel said, sitting on the bed and changing channels, switching it to CMT. The two girls made up a game and took shots during music videos anytime someone wore boots or sang about a tractor or boat. They were feeling no pain in an hour. By the second hour they'd changed clothes, or at least some semblance of clothes: Lance's silk dress shirts and a tie loosened around their necks, the top button undone, no pants, just undergarments.

“I'm going out tonight, I'm feeling all right, gonna let it all hang out,” Melissa sang, her voice slurred, walking across Lance's bed, singing along to the television.

“Oh oh oh, get in the action, feel the attraction,” Rachel sang along with her, giggling as they ran into each other, holding on to Melissa's waist so they wouldn't fall down. She was beyond drunk. The wine cooler in her hand was almost done. In her drunk haze, Rachel looked at the counter and back at Melissa as the song ended. “We have more alcohol.”

“One bourbon, one whiskey, and one beer,” Melissa told her, both of them sitting down on the bed. “Lance's gonna be pissed. Oh well,” she didn't really care as she got up and grabbed more liquor. She poured (and spilled) it and handed Rachel another drink.

“Why don't you just use the bottle?” Rachel suggested, snorting a laugh when Melissa turned it up and chugged it.

“You think they're all drunk? I mean all of them?” Melissa asked after a moment, leering at Rachel.

“Probably,” Rachel told her, taking the shot out of Melissa's hands and drinking it. “You look hot in that shirt,” she told her friend, laughing when Melissa wiggled her hips. “I didn't mean like that.”

“Oh shut up,” Melissa told her, flopping down on the bed with the bottle in her hands, grinning. “Rach, the room is spinning.”

“We're drunk, Mel. I can't feel my toes. Or my tongue.”

“I think you kissed Chris by accident. He's poisonous,” Melissa said, laughing hard.

“You're a dork,” Rachel quipped back, looking around the room. It looked bad, alcohol bottles everywhere. Not that she cared, but the room had been wrecked.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“I hear a television, so that's a good sign,” JC said as Chris unlocked his room . Both men stopped at the entrance, looking around. Chris's bed had been messed up but the door was open from his room to Lance's. “Holy mother of god,” Chris murmured, looking at the open fridge and then at Lance's room.

“Hi,” Rachel smiled wide, her eyes glassy as she sat on the bed. “Melly, boys are here. It's Chris and Josh.”

“I love Chris and Josh,” Melissa told Rachel, coming out of the bathroom. “How are you?” she sang, stumbling into Chris's arms. “I missed you, Christopher Alan,” Melissa told him, grinning stupidly.

Chris was trying hard not to touch Melissa somewhere inappropriate, but the way her body was against him, he had a handful of her breast, leaving little to the imagination as the shirt she was wearing bunched up. “I missed you too, Melissa Nicole,” he said, moving to where he could lead her into his room. He looked her over carefully as she stood there, wobbly from being drunk. Drunk or not, she was making him rethink boundaries that had been set in his mind. It didn't help any he was pretty buzzed as well. “You alright?” he asked, letting himself be pulled to the bed and sit down before having her in his lap. “Mel...”

“Chris,” Melissa breathed, curling up in his arms. She knew he wasn't Joey, but her mind just wanted someone. Dark hair met her eyes and she reached up, running a hand through it. “Joey,” she murmured, tears coming to her eyes.

“No, honey..I'm Chris,” he told her, knowing she was too drunk to care. He stilled when he felt her lips on his neck. When her tongue found his ear, playing with his earring he had in, he groaned. “Mel...” Chris pulled away enough to look at Lance's little sister and his heart broke a little, wiping her tears with his finger, mascara running. “Let's just get you cleaned up a little,” he said, standing her up and leading her to the bathroom. He leaned her against the wall and grabbed a washcloth and got it warm, wiping off the make up. “There,” he said, pushing her hair out of her face.

“I look ugly with no make up,” Melissa said, looking in the mirror, frowning. She shook her head slightly. “And I don't like fixing my hair..I'm not all girly and all that stuff..”

“You're beautiful, Mel,” Chris told her, pulling her around to hold her. “Look at me,” he said, waiting until she did. “You're beautiful. You don't need that stuff.”

“You're just saying that, Kirkpatrick.”

Chris knew he shouldn't, but he leaned down and kissed Melissa on the lips anyway. Her lips were soft and he found himself pressing his body up against hers. He groaned when he felt her hands pull his shirt out of where it had been tucked in, her fingers finding skin. He reluctantly pulled back, giving her a searching look. “We can't do this.” The drunk male part of his brain was kicking the other part of him, telling him to shut up, but Chris didn't want his best friend's sister to wake up in the morning and regret anything. And Chris didn't either, truth be told. That and the rational part of his mind didn't want Joey to stuff his body in a bag to float down the Hudson River.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“I think we missed the room,” Joey told Lance and Justin, trying to press the buttons on the elevator. “It's down...not up,” he slurred, laughing.

“Dawg, you're fucking drunk. Fatone..Fat one,” Justin laughed when Joey gave him the finger. “Dude, you're in the honeymoon suite.”

“No shit?” Joey asked, looking down at his left hand. “Oh yeah. I got married. And it wasn't because I wanted to, let me be the first to tell you,” Joey pointed out, frowning. “I want Melly. She'll fix it.”

“Joe...” Lance wasn't sure what to say. “She can't fix it. You wanted to get married.”

“I know. Stupid Joey,” Joey said, sighing. “You sure my room's up here?” he asked once more, stumbling towards the two men as they caught him. “Did ya see my jewelry?” he asked, holding up his sleeve of his shirt.

Lance looked and smiled. “Nice,” he said, watching Joey grin big.

“Your sister got them for me...I love your sister,” he said, hugging Lance.

“I know you do, man. I know,” Lance told him, glad he wasn't as drunk as Joey or he wasn't sure if they would make it to the right room, much less back to their own.

Joey turned after hugging Lance and hugged Justin. “I know I'm fucked up right now. But I'm serious,” he pointed his finger at Justin with as much seriousness as an inebriated man could, “You take care of my woman, Timberlake. You..and Christopher..make sure she doesn't cry over me. I don't think I could stand it...”

Justin just nodded, not sure of what else to say to Joey besides yes as his friend hugged him. He felt something wet and looked at Lance. “Fuck, man,” Justin's composure broke. “You weren't s'posed to marry Kristen, you feel me?” he half yelled at Joey, crying himself. “You were supposed to marry Mel. It was supposed to be the damn love story we sing about you dumb fuck.”

Lance pushed the stop button on the elevator, listening to his friends have an emotional meltdown. He blamed it on the alcohol, at least somewhat. As a group though, they had yet to deal with this. He felt a tear slip down his face and wiped it quickly. “Come on you two,” he said after a few moments, trying to smile at the two grown men who were now trying to act like nothing had happened. He pressed the button and the elevator opened and they herded Joey towards his room.

“Have a good night, Joe.” Lance didn't miss Joey cutting his eyes towards him as they knocked on the door.

“Fuck you,” Joey whispered, running a hand over his bare face. He smiled at Kristen when she opened the door.

“We brought you your lawfully wedded husband,” Justin told her, trying not to laugh at the go to hell look he was getting.

“He's so drunk he'll probably just go to bed,” Kristen said, getting shrugs from Justin and Lance both. “What am I supposed to do with him?” she asked as Joey moved past her into the room.

“Not our problem,” Justin told her. “Oh wait..” Justin went and got Joey's cufflinks and held them up so Joey could see them. “I'll take these home. Keep them safe.”

Joey nodded, reaching for the buttons his vest. “Get outta here, JT,” he mumbled, not in the mood to see anyone anymore. “Thanks,” he called out to Justin and Lance. He heard the door close and looked at Kristen. She was still in her wedding dress and giving him a look he knew.

“Not tonight,” Joey told her, tossing his vest on the floor reaching for the buttons on his shirt, his alcohol muddled brain thinking of Melissa's hands buttoning them up.

“It's our wedding night,” Kristen scoffed, her hands on her hips. She hadn't been waiting the whole day and now an hour after she'd come up to their room just to be denied sex. Not just that but to consummate their marriage.

“And you're already knocked up, sort of defeats the purpose. Not to mention the fact we were together a couple days ago. I'm drunk,” Joey told her, not in the mood to discuss it.

“And I'm your wife.”

Joey made his way to the bathroom and shut the door. “I know, that's why I'm drunk,” he muttered, sighing. He'd told himself the past week he was going to be a good husband and love his wife. It was just his heart protesting. If it would just stop beating, it might just work. That wasn't the answer, so Joey was going to do what he did when he had to make something work. He'd fake it until it became real.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^***

“Hi Josh,” Rachel said, smiling as she hugged him. “You smell good.” She didn't care he was sweaty and had alcohol on his breath. He still had on cologne and deodorant and his own scent.

“Thanks,” JC said, holding Rachel, his eyes wandering over her. “That's a good look for you,” he said, fingering the tie as he sat down on the bed. He looked around at the bottles of alcohol and then at Rachel who was still smiling at him.

“We stole Lance's stuff. His pants don't fit. We tried,” she said, giggling. Rachel knew she was talking to JC, her brain just wasn't registering everything she was saying. “And if it had been your pants...” her eyes went to JC's pants and back up to his face before shrugging.

“Oh Rachel.” Josh cupped her face and smiled, “You're somethin' else.” He could hear Chris and Melissa talking in Chris's room and pressed his lips against Rachel's. A satisfied moan left his mouth as she returned the kiss, not caring he shouldn't be doing that. He let his fingers run through her hair as he pulled her closer. It took all of his willpower to break off the kiss, studying Rachel's face. JC prayed she wouldn't be mad at him. “Sorry..I shouldn't have-”

“It's alright, JC. Really,” Rachel told him, returning his kiss with one of her own. In the back of her mind, she knew it was wrong, but she also thought she could play it off, the alcohol helping muddle those thoughts. She smiled against his lips, her forehead resting against his after she'd broken off the kiss.

“Come on, let's get some of this picked up,” JC said after holding Rachel a few moments, both of them quiet, enjoying the moment and feelings that neither one of them would admit to. “Or how about you stay on the bed and I'll pick up.” Josh patted Rachel's leg and went and started picking up empty bottles of alcohol.


Lance opened the door to his room and paused, looking around. He could just make out the dresser where the mini bar was sitting on and saw it was open and stepping in a few more steps, he could hear the clink of glass against glass. “Holy shit,” he said, watching JC toss another bottle into the trash.

“Hi Lance,” Rachel sat, watching JC like it was a sporting event, a goofy smile on her face. “I'm watching Josh clean. All he needs is a maid's outfit.”

“Don't think so, Rachel,” JC told her, sighing at another bottle. “It's a wonder they didn't get alcohol poisoning.”

Justin came in behind Lance and looked at the room that was still disheveled no matter if someone was cleaning it or not. “You have fun, chica?” he asked Rachel, going over and hugging her.

“Yeah, Timber timber timberlake,” Rachel replied with a laugh. “We drank and sang and drank more.” She let Justin go to hug Lance. “I missed you,” she snuggled into Lance when he sat beside her on the bed. When Lance didn't say anything, she frowned a little. “What's wrong?”

“Nothing. Really,” Lance gave her a little smile, his arm around her. He'd told JC not to worry about the rest of the stuff on the dresser and anywhere else. “I don't think I'll be leaving you and my sister alone with any alcohol for a while. Speaking of, where's Melissa?”

“With Chris,” Rachel said, closing her eyes and sighing. “Hope she drank enough. Cause I don't want anymore.”

“You drank two minibars. That should be quite sufficient,” JC said, sitting on the other side of Rachel and looking over at Lance. “You want me to hang out here tonight? Just to keep an eye on the girls? It won't be fun for them when they wake up if they mixed all that alcohol.”

“Stay if you want, C. The bed's big enough or there's the couch hide-a-bed,” Lance told him. The king sized bed could have fit four easily and it wouldn't be the first or last time one of his bandmates crashed in his room.

“Dude, it won't be fun for us either,” Justin told JC, going to Chris's room and standing there at the doorway. “Fuck. I told myself I was done getting emotional at this shit.” Justin went over to the light and was about to shut it off when he heard Chris's voice.

“She asleep?” he asked, his voice raspy, opening his eyes.

“Yeah man. Out,” Justin replied, watching Chris move Melissa around to get comfortable. He watched her squirm and whimper, sitting down on the other side of the bed. “It's okay, Mel,” he brushed hair out of her face. It hurt to watch her face scrunch up and he was relieved when she finally fell back asleep. “Tomorrow's gonna be fun.”

“That's what I'm screaming. All this alcohol and no one got into a cat fight. I'm a little disappointed,” Chris said with laugh.

“Dude, you really need help,” Justin said, tossing his tuxedo jacket and dress shirt towards a chair, along with a tie. “And if I wake up and find you curled up next to me, I'm gonna whip the shit out of you.”

“Try it and see what happens.”

Justin smiled, turning off the light, a glow still coming from Lance's room and talking. “Fine. I'll just tell Joey you got fresh with his 'Bambina'. She was drunk and you wanted to get in on the action.”

“You're a bastard, Timberlake. And don't do it. I'd like to live to have kids someday,” Chris told Justin, letting Melissa snuggle closer to him.

“I don't think Joey would just stop at castration. He'd go all Gestapo on your ass.” Justin smirked as Chris muttered. “Night old man.”

“Shut up, fool.”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^^*^*

JC couldn't sleep. It wasn't for lack of being tired, because he was tired mentally and physically. And it wasn't where he was. He was comfortable on the couch in Lance's room. He laid there in the dark and thought about things. Things that wouldn't leave him alone. Mostly one thing. The woman laying in the bed in the same room. He closed his eyes and told himself to quit fooling himself. It was just the alcohol talking for the both of them. As much as his head wanted to be rational, Rachel's smile came back to the foreground of his memory and the way she pressed her lips to his. He wasn't going to admit it, but Josh Chasez was smitten.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“Never. Drinking. Again,” Melissa moaned softly as she felt her stomach clench up again, tears coming to her eyes. Her head pounded and after she flushed the toilet, she curled up beside the counter and whimpered. Everything was a haze sometime after a Britney Spears song. She felt a cool washcloth on her face and looked up, not hearing anyone come in. “Justin,” she croaked, shaking her head when he asked if she needed help.

“You look like shit,” Justin told her, looking concerned. “Let's get you back in bed,” he said, gingerly helping her up, only to be shoved out of the door when they got close to it, listening to her heave again. “Want a Heineken?” he asked, smiling when she told him to fuck off. “I love you too, Bass.”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Rachel woke up and laid in bed a moment. She rolled over and smiled at Lance's still form, the covers just barely moving. A soft snore coming from the couch got her attention and she turned. Her eyes adjusted in the dark and she could make out JC's form. She knew it was him by the way he slept. She prayed her stomach would behave a few moments, her head starting to throb. A few seconds later her feet hit the floor as she made her way to the bathroom. Rachel got sick, glad no one was awake yet. She certainly didn't want to be babied and groaned when someone knocked on the bathroom door.

“You're a guy, go pee in a plant or something,” she barked, rinsing her mouth out with water after she flushed and washed her hands. When the knock came again, she jerked the door open, surprised to see a half asleep JC.

“There are no plants to pee in,” JC mumbled, waiting until Rachel had moved before shutting the door. He came back out a few moments later, wiping his hands on the towel just outside the bathroom with them smelling faintly of soap. “All yours again, mademoiselle.”

“Go back to sleep, Josh.”

“Don't worry. Wake up call isn't until noon,” JC replied, curling back up on the couch. “Wake me or Lance up if you need anything,” he muttered, a soft snore coming from his lips a couple moments later.

Rachel slipped back under the covers, actually glad she hadn't drank quite as much as Melissa. The night came back to her in snippets and a small smile came to her face. She wasn't sure if she really kissed JC or not, but the thought of it was nice. As was the thought of Lance kissing her. She knew it sounded crazy to like both men, but it was possible. At least for that time. Her eyes closed as she moved back next to Lance, ignoring the sounds of the hotel, trying to keep from having to get up again.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Joey downed four Aleve and slipped his sunglasses on, even though he was still in the hotel room. Part of the night was hazy, but he did know Kristen was mad at him. Judging by the way she was ignoring him, he wondered if there was anything he could do to make the honeymoon go smoothly. He wasn't about to go spend three days in the Bahamas with his wife pissed at him. A part of him didn't care, but the more sober and nice part of Joey won out. He went into the bedroom and looked at Kristen. “Sorry about last night, Kris.”

“Mmmmhmmm,” she said, not looking up from her magazine. “Listen, I know you've been stressed out with work, and the news of becoming a father and us getting married. But you were an ass last night. I mean, I didn't care you wanted to see your friends and everyone- I get that. But I'm your wife.”

Joey nodded, pulling her to him and kissing her. There was a piece of paper stating that fact. “I'll do better,” he promised. He had to do better. This was his future. It was at that time, he stuffed every facet of feeling he had for Melissa back into the recesses of his mind. Joey knew that time was coming, he just hadn't wanted it to come so soon. It took him a minute to remember to breathe, letting it out and smiled at Kristen. “Let's hit the airport. We got a plane to catch.”

Kristen returned his smile, kissing him on the lips. “As long as you let me have the inside seat.”

“Whatever you want, Kris.” Joey didn't miss her laugh at that statement, grabbing the bags after checking once more they had everything. His parents were going to get his tux and Kristen's wedding dress out of their room later. It was early enough no one else was up and they had almost made it to the door when Sofia Fatone called out his name.

“Nona, you are up early,” Joey said in Italian, hugging her.

“Nona is always up early, my Joey,” she replied, returning his hug and hugging Kristen. She studied Joey's face, pulling down his sunglasses. Without a word, she pushed them back into place and patted his cheek. “Be careful and have fun,” she told the couple, promising her grandson she would talk to him soon.

“What was that about?” Kristen asked, curious as they got into a cab to take them to the airport.

“That's just Nona,” Joey said, winding his fingers through hers. “I love you.”

“I love you too,” Kristen leaned into a Joey, a small smile on her face. Everything had gone the way she wanted it to, aside from a few moments. Her wedding ring sat on her finger and she studied it. She had the perfect life now, at least to her way of thinking. Everything was just going to fall into place.
Chapter 26 part 1 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
Part 1 of this chapter. Real life has been a real bugger lately. Between school, work and everything else, I have been crazy. Enjoy this chapter. Got another couple waiting for you!
“To your left, you'll see Super K-Mart and various other stores crammed into this shopping center with the mall,” Rachel pointed out in her best tour guide voice as they got into the turn lane to turn into said shopping mecca. The California sun shone on the girls, the same sun that was on Florida albeit it felt different.

“I still can't believe you picked this loser rental car. We could be in an Escalade,” Melissa said as Rachel slowly went through the parking lot to find a space.

“We could have, but we would have been driving it to the gas station every few blocks or so.” Rachel found a spot and pulled in. “Where to first?” she asked, scanning names of the stores and then the mall entrance.

“The ATM. Then I guess we can hit Bed Bath and Beyond and then K-Mart,” Melissa made a face and looked over at Rachel. “This ain't Kansas anymore...or Florida,” she told her friend, forcing herself to smile. It was her choice to be out here, so far from her family and friends. She'd spent the days leading up to the flight they'd taken this morning flip flopping on if she really wanted to move. The sticking point was that Joey was married and had a new life now. She'd prayed the whole way there that it wouldn't hurt so bad leaving. “Thanks for coming out here with me,” she told Rachel as they got out of the car.

“Had to clear my busy schedule and all,” Rachel replied, bumping Melissa's shoulder affectionately. “Seriously, Mel. I'm glad to be here. Who wants to be starting a tour anyway? The first week or two is always a pain in the ass.” Rachel had been around the guys enough to know that she'd be spending that time alone. The promoting and different public outings were heavier in the first two weeks than the rest of the tour. And she didn't relish the thought of possibly being stuck on the bus with Joey's wife.

Melissa found the ATM kiosk and grabbed her ATM card. Rachel was standing with her back to it, but blocking other people from seeing the numbers. “Let's see,” Melissa punched in the pin number and raised an eyebrow. “That's odd,” she muttered, hitting the arrow to look at her deposits. “That man....”

“What man?” Rachel said, turning her head enough to see her friend. “Got a sugar daddy I don't know about?”

“At least he didn't make the memo for 'sexual favors',” Melissa told her, shaking her head, withdrawing money. “Text Joey and tell him thanks. I'm trying to kick the habit...” she waited for the money to come out. “Seriously, he put in five hundred bucks. He's buying lunch.”

Rachel pulled out her phone and sent off a text to Joey, smiling when her phone beeped a minute later and laughing hard after she read his response.

'Getting rid of mafia money and gigolo funds. Have fun! ;)'

Melissa looked over Rachel's shoulder and laughed. “Tell him we're spending it on male strippers and Victoria's Secret.”

Rachel barked a laugh and fired off the text, getting one back quickly.

'Yes to Vickie's. No to strippers. I thought you were nice girls.'

Melissa's phone buzzed and she looked at it. Her brother had sent her a message. 'Fatone's looking concerned. What are you doing?'

'What we do best, big brother. Love you. Have fun today!' Melissa stuck her tongue out at her phone and sent the message.

'Sending pictures of the strippers..not at Vickie's' Rachel fired back with a heart symbol. She smirked when she didn't get a reply back, other than one from Lance.

'We lose our baritone, I blame you and my sister. I miss you!'

'Miss and love you too, Lance. Call you later after we've bought out the mall with Joey's whoring money. I don't know who paid him for sex, but they should get a refund for him being a screamer. No sneaking in the closet.'

Rachel's hand clamped over her mouth and she felt tears sting the corners of her eyes as she laughed hard. She'd accidentally sent the text to Joey too. “Oh. Shit.” She laughed when Joey messaged her back.

'How would you know? ;) And for that matter, it was Mel's money to begin with...so there.'

“Oh he didn't!!” Melissa yelled, laughing as they moved away from the middle of the sidewalk and started walking towards the first store. She couldn't let the text go unanswered and fired off one of her own to Joey.

'Worth every penny. Smartass...'

'I try. Have fun. No escort services and stay away from Compton.'

Melissa rolled her eyes and put her phone up. It was like Joey was being two different people. One minute he was the Joey she knew, and the next he was more serious..acting like her father instead of the man she'd loved..still loved.

Rachel's fingers flew over her phone and she smiled when a text popped up from JC. Her smile grew bigger as she read it and sent the reply back. It was just a normal message, one that said he hoped she was having fun. He was over there trying to keep order to the three ring circus that was going on.

'Good luck with that C. Go borrow some straight jackets and some good drugs. Might work then. Gotta shop!'

“You done over there, Social Queen?” Melissa asked with a smile, her own phone vibrating.

“Bite my ass. I bet you have texts from Justin.”“Uh...” Melissa looked at her phone and rolled her eyes seeing Justin's name pop up. “Fine. Let's tell them we're unavailable or we'll never get into the first store.”

“Deal,” Rachel said, sending x's and o's to Lance and telling JC she would text him to see if he survived later. Slipping her phone down into her purse, she grabbed Melissa by her shirt sleeve and pulled her into the massive home goods store. “Grab a cart woman.”

“I'm not buying anything by Martha Stewart. She's the devil.” Melissa grabbed a cart and followed Rachel.

“How do you know? She does some cool stuff,” Rachel said, going back to the bathroom stuff.

“She went to jail and her stuff is over priced. I dislike her like you do Will Ferrel. So there.”

Rachel rolled her eyes and stopped at the color coordinated towels and décor. “See anything you like?”

“I have towels, Rach. I don't need more towels,” Melissa started, then sighed. “Fine..I like the black ones. Black and white is a good bathroom theme.”

Nodding, Rachel grabbed a black bathroom rug and a couple big towels and then some white smaller ones. “Now for a pop of color,” she said, grabbing a red soap dish and toothbrush holder. “See?”

“Dirty Pop, bet you can't stop.”

“Only you, Bass. Only you,” Rachel muttered, shaking her head. There was a smile on her face though as they walked through the store, laughing at displays and cutting up before heading to the check out. “Oh Lord,” Rachel said, rolling her eyes at the magazine rack located at the front. Most were the usual home decorating ones, but there was one People magazine in the stands. And it was a cover of Joey and Kristen's wedding.

“I didn't even bother,” Melissa told her, seeing what she was looking at. “Although they did get a good picture of you and Lance,” she told Rachel, giving her a small smile. “I looked online at a couple.”

“Then I guess you didn't see this,” Rachel grabbed the magazine and flipped until she found what she wanted. She and Lance had kept quiet about what was in there, knowing how Melissa was feeling about everything. Now that they were out in California, Rachel felt like it wouldn't be as big of a deal.

“Oh..wow,” Melissa said, holding the magazine and her mouth slightly open, staring. Whoever had taken the picture had caught her and Joey making eye contact. It was taken where the camera was focused on Rachel and Joey and Joey had looked in her direction and you could see Melissa with Justin with her looking at him. “I bet Kristen was pissed.”

“This picture only made it into a few issues before Joey called to have it yanked. Not before he made his mom go get a copy or five..”

“This would make a good picture to go in the on the wall with all of my other black and whites,” Melissa said, tossing the magazine in there. She wouldn't read the article or look at any other pictures.

“And you were worried about having art work in your new place. What do you need me for?” Rachel asked, slipping her arm around Melissa and giving her a sideways hug.

“Well someone has to help carry body bags,” she quipped, making the cashier look nervous.

“What are you gonna kill them with? Your cooking?”

“Very funny,” Melissa cut her eyes at Rachel and handed over her money. “When we get to the parking lot, I'm gonna shank your ass with my plastic Wendy's knife. Cause that's how I roll.”

“Please. I'd shank your ass with a spork.”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

K-Mart proved to be more successful than the previous store, cleaning supplies and odds and ends were bought. Curtains, shelves that stand on the kitchen counter and more bathroom stuff to go in the half bath on the bottom floor. Along with a blow up queen size mattress and a sheet set.

“Look!” Melissa smiled wide at the towels hanging on the clearance rack. They were now only a few dollars, having a Christmas theme, but had NSYNC on them, a picture of the guys. “Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays,” she sang, grabbing two of them. “There..we can be twins.”

“No more driving the cart,” Rachel told her friend, stopping when she spotted Backstreet Boys t-shirts and NSYNC t-shirts hanging in the same vicinity in the petites section. “I think we need to wander that way.”

A smile crossed Melissa's face as they went to the shirts and grabbed a couple of both groups. “You know we need pictures. What we spent money on,” Melissa snapped a picture of Rachel pretending to kiss Brian Littrell's picture on the shirt. “Nice.”

“You didn't,” Rachel's eyes narrowed and she saw her friend smirk. “You're dead, Bass.”

“Oh hush,” Melissa picked up the NSYNC shirt and smiled, pretending to kiss Chris's face.

“That's even better,” Rachel said, snapping her own picture. “Now we have blackmail.”

“Poor Christopher...He needs a woman.” Melissa tossed the shirt into the basket.

“He has his mother,” Rachel told her, snickering. “I'm kidding, Mel. Sheesh...I thought Chris was still hung up on that one girl.”

“Chris is hung up on lots of girls. They're just the wrong sort...He needs a nice girl. And not Lucy,” she told Rachel before she could open her mouth. They walked along in silence for a few minutes before Melissa spoke again. “I kissed Chris on Joey's wedding night. At least I think I did.”

“It doesn't count if you don't remember,” Rachel told her, not mentioning her own kiss to JC. She wasn't quite ready for that to be aired. “How about we worry about you for now? And about some mall shopping.”

“You said the magic words,” Melissa cheered as they made their way to check out. “Who decided we needed all this stuff?” She looked down in the basket.

“Don't even take that out,” Rachel snatched a picture away that said 'Martha Stewart' on the label.

“If I buy that and take it into my house, little people from New Zealand are going to come shrink my head and put it on a stick. I read it once in a National Geographic.”

Rachel laughed as the item was rung up. “I find it hard to believe you read anything in National Geographic.”

“Says the woman who reads smutty romance novels.”

“Touche,” Rachel replied, gathering up some of the plastic bags. She made her way back to the rental and then checked her phone, smiling at the text from Lance.

'Shop til you drop yet? Sucks here without you.'

'Not yet. Miss you too. Give Chris a knock upside the head for me.' Rachel sent off the text and grinned when she got a picture of Chris grimacing.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

The girls shopped around the mall, hitting their favorite stores before making their way to where a couple of restaurants were situated. They'd stopped in the food court long enough to get a drink on their trek from Aeropostale to Cato's.

Rachel and Melissa had talked and laughed and giggled the whole way through their drink order. Now they were semi quiet, their food being sat down in front of them.

“Look,” Melissa pointed at something behind Rachel, making her friend turn around and look before stealing a couple fries off of Rachel's plate.

“What were you lookin- Hey!” Rachel looked down at her plate where she'd piled her ketchup beside her fries and saw it was now used. “You took my fries, bitch.” There was no bite behind the name, watching Melissa look innocently at her. “You might get away with that when you're with Joey, but I'll hurt you over my fries.”

“Whatever,” Melissa told her, grabbing her own fry and popping it in her mouth. “You ever seen Joey share his fries?” She chuckled at Rachel's shake of her head. “Me either. Why haven't we come here before?”

Rachel looked around at The Rainforest Cafe. The place looked like the jungle, complete with sounds of wild birds and animals, a waterfall and small stream running through it. It was a very cool esthetic and the food was good. “I dunno. I mean, usually we're busy and can you see the guys getting stuck in the mall?” She mentally shuddered at what would happen when fans realized that one of the most popular boy bands was inside a place. The amount of people that could be there would be a logistical nightmare.

“Good point,” Melissa said, taking a bite of her cheeseburger. She always liked going to places that were different, and even though this one was in the mall it was still not a place she'd been to. “We need to order dessert,” she told Rachel after she swallowed, pointing out the dessert menu.

“You haven't even finished your food.”

“Yes, mother,” Melissa rolled her eyes at her friend and then stuck her tongue out when Rachel's phone rang. “Tell my brother to go away.”

“Hush,” Rachel admonished, opening her phone to answer it. “Hi. How's the bus?”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Lance looked at Chris who was watching television and shrugged. “It's the bus. I feel for Justin. He's the odd man out on the other bus with Joey and Kristen. It's just so happy over there,” he said sarcastically, groaning. “Joey called..Hold on. I'll let Chris tell you since he called him.”

“When are you gonna dump this guy and be with me?” Chris teased Rachel after he took the phone and said hello. “JC's doing what he does best..Sleeping his life away. Probably dreaming of tonight's performance and writing songs.”

Rachel couldn't help but smile. She'd gotten a text from JC that he was going to try and sleep. She flipped her friend off across the table when she rolled her eyes at her grin. “So, tell me this story.”

“ Joe calls me and asks if anyone took his food that he requested for the bus. I come look in this fridge. All his stuff's here, so I tell him that. Dude tells me he'll pay me a hundred bucks if I sneak him a Coke and a Hostess cake. Kristen took all the food that was junk and tossed it. Told him and Justin that they could eat shit when she left, but she wasn't going to sit and watch Joey stuff his face.”

Rachel blinked a few times and processed the information. “I bet that went over well.”

“Like a lead balloon. Justin just went to his bunk from what I heard. And Joey just took it. He texted and told me we were finding an all you can eat buffet after the show tonight.”

“Damn. I'll be there in a couple weeks. If you all survive that long,” Rachel told him, trying to smile. “I think Mel ordered a big dessert we're sharing.”

“I'm jealous,” Chris told her, talking a few more minutes before handing the phone back over to Lance.

“So yeah, we are just living the dream here. Public things and touring and all this great wonderful stuff. Sucks ass,” Lance told her. “I love the music. Love the fans and the songs..but all the drama.”

“These are the days of our lives,” Chris said loudly, making Rachel laugh.

“You need help. Tell the rest of the guys hi. Our dessert's here. It looks almost as hot as you do,” she flirted with Lance and giggled when Melissa groaned and covered her ears. “I love you. And I embarrassed the hell out of Mel.”

“Good job. Love you too,” Lance chuckled, hanging up the phone. He looked over at Chris and sighed. “All I can say is the Fatone's have their own hotel room. On a different floor,” Lance fist bumped Chris.

“No shit.” Chris felt a little bad for not wanting Joey to be right with them, but Kristen was just too much for him to handle. He didn't want to be mean, but he had the feeling this tour was going to be vastly different than the one they'd done last year. He missed Melissa being there, seeing his friends all happy and smiling. “You think your sister will be okay in California?” he asked Lance.

“She'll be alright until Rachel leaves. Then after that...” his voice trailed off. Lance was trying not to be scared for his sister. He knew she wasn't a kid, but he also knew she'd never lived by herself either. Even if she'd moved out of his house and stayed somewhere close to Orlando, they were all there. He felt himself give Chris a look. “I made her have one of those security alarms installed before she even paid the moving company.”

“Mel will be fine. L.A is a cool place to live. Besides, her and Rachel will be attached at the hip with the phone. You worry too much,” Chris said, pushing himself off the couch. “I'm gonna take JC's advice and try and get some sleep. TV's yours.”

Lance nodded, stretching out on the couch, remote in hand. He smiled at the picture Rachel sent him, one of her and Melissa both about to take huge bites of a brownie with ice cream, big grins on their faces. He sent off a reply and shut his phone, throwing the remote on the floor and closing his eyes. He took a moment to pray that everything would work out for the best. He let that thought drift off as he kept his eyes closed, willing himself to relax. A nap sounded like the perfect thing to wile away the next few hours on the tour bus.

*^^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“It looks good,” Melissa told Rachel, surveying her bathroom upstairs. They'd hung the black towels and a white hand towel up, along with a couple of red wash cloths and red accessories. A long black bathroom rug was on the floor and the shower curtain was a bright red as well. “You had a good idea.” She threw an arm around Rachel, leaning on her.

“I know I did. Now let's get some dinner going. We didn't go buy all those groceries to eat out again,” Rachel said, standing there a few more minutes. She studied her and Melissa's reflection in the mirror and smiled. “You've come a long way, baby.”

“Oh shut up,” Melissa said, laughing. “I'll make you sleep on the floor.”

“Like hell. That blow up bed is big enough for the both of us. You have your own cover and everything,” Rachel pointed out as they made their way downstairs. There was still bags to go through, but the girls both agreed they wanted the bathroom fixed up so they could take a bath or shower and have one less thing to worry about.

The girls put up groceries and then looked at their options. “Okay so Olive Garden sounds good,” Rachel said, grabbing Melissa's shirt before she could protest. “I need a glass of wine and you don't have any. That made my decision for me,” she looked sideways at Melissa. “And I'd hate for the smoke alarm to go off your first day.”

“Kiss my ass,” Melissa said, grabbing her purse and keys. “I'm so taking those cooking lessons Justin got me. Then the next time you come, I'm cooking you food.”

Rachel reached over and patted her knee. “Keep the dream alive, Melly.”

Melissa snorted and shook her head as they got in the car. “Between you and Chris, I'm surprised I'm not in jail. Smartass,” she told her friend, turning the radio up when “I Want It That Way” came on, both of them singing along. “This would so not happen on the tour bus,” she said loudly.

“Not likely,” Rachel replied, turning the radio back down after the song. “Think you can do this? I mean, when I'm not chauffeuring you.” The traffic wasn't bumper to bumper, but it was heavy. “I'm making you drive after your car gets here. We'll wait and get things set up in your place and then that night you're gonna drive. I'm not leaving you in Los Angeles afraid to drive.” Rachel didn't hear an answer and looked over at her friend. “You'll be fine, Mel. You can drive in this...”

“I don't live anywhere near Compton do I?” she asked out of nowhere, watching Rachel shake her head. Melissa nodded, knowing Rachel probably thought she was crazy. At least if she didn't live near there, there was less possibilities of her getting lost. That was her biggest fear more than driving. “You know if you drink wine, I'll have to drive right,” she pointed out to Rachel.

“I was just telling you that to get you out of the house,” Rachel replied, smiling.

“I don't even want to know what you say to my brother to get him out of the house. I don't want to hear it either.”

Rachel laughed. “I'm not always perverted when I think,” she caught Melissa's stare and chuckled. “Okay I lie. Most of the time I am.” Rachel pulled into Olive Garden and parked. “Let's go eat. Then we can discuss where we want all your crap to go in your place.”

“Thanks for the encouragement, Kemosabe.” Melissa felt her phone vibrate and smiled at the message from Justin, messaging him back before slipping her phone in her purse.

“Anytime, Tonto. Anytime.”
*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
“Well, your dad was right Mel. You definitely needed a couch and chair. And the small kitchen table.” Rachel studied the items being brought in by the movers and was glad Jim Bass had talked his daughter into letting him and her mother buy her some furniture. The apartment was starting to fill up with boxes and the movers had told the girls they would help set up the television and even put together the bed frame. She raised an eyebrow at the weathered leather ottoman that was carried in and put down by the couch. “Where did that come from?”

Melissa had been in the kitchen and stuck her head around the corner. She looked at the item and then at Rachel. “No idea,” she told her, coming to inspect it.

“There was a note with that,” one of the men handed Melissa a note before going out to grab something else.

Melissa unfolded the note and read.

'A familiar place to rest your feet. Enjoy! Love, Joe Sr. and Phyllis P.S. The top opens up for storage.'

“I guess it came from the Fatone's,” Melissa looked at Rachel and smiled. “This was in the den. I think it got moved to Steve's place a couple years ago. Before that, Joey and I used to fight over it. It's
comfortable to sit on. They asked what I wanted for Christmas one year and I told them this.” Melissa sat down on one side of the ottoman and patted the other. “Sit with me.”

Rachel sat down and could tell why there was a fight over it. It was worn enough to be very comfortable. “Forget the bed, I'm sleeping sitting up.”

“Whatever. Get up so we can look inside it.”

“They wouldn't leave anything in there, Mel,” Rachel told her, but got up anyway. She grinned when Melissa lifted the top and looked inside. “See?” It was empty, but she'd secretly hoped something would be in there. “What were you expecting? Millions of dollars?”

“Jimmy Hoffa,” Melissa told her, smirking.

“Come on, let's get this done. We have a hot date tonight,” Rachel said, ready to get the clutter and boxes out of the way. “Let's start in the kitchen.”

“Geez, you're bossy. It's almost like living with my brother.” Melissa put the ottoman back together and pushed it against the couch. She followed Rachel to the kitchen, glad for some help. They made their way from the kitchen to the living room after the movers left, having a method of emptying a box and putting things up in it before grabbing another.

“This box has...pictures,” Melissa said, opening it up. She grabbed a sleeve and opened it, pulling out a few. “New Year's,” a small smile came to her face as she studied her and Joey as Rizzo and Kenickie. It had been a wonderful night until Kristen had shown up. She took a shaky breath and moved on through the other pictures. “You and my brother look hot.” She held the picture up to Rachel who was standing right behind her looking over her shoulder.

“Yeah, we do, huh?” Rachel grinned wider at the picture of her and JC. “I didn't know you got that picture.”

“I didn't know you'd look at another man like that,” Melissa told her, chuckling when Rachel blushed a bright red. “Oh good grief. Let's get this done. I still want to unpack stuff in my room.”

“Tell you what,” Rachel took the box with the pictures. “You go upstairs and deal with all your clothes and stuff. I will stay down here and unpack and arrange your pictures. They'll all look spectacular.”

Melissa nodded. “Let's give it an hour and then get ready to go out,” she suggested, watching Rachel dig out pictures.

“Works for me. We got most of it done anyways. Dishes and kitchen stuff put up and the bathrooms ready to use, the bed made and tv set up. Now it's just the little stuff. And I'm not getting into your underwear drawer.”

Melissa laughed and shook her head. “Not like we don't know about that shit...but yeah. It won't take me too long to get all that stuff done. And don't put any pictures of me and Joey up. I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet.”

“Just one or two. I promise,” Rachel said, knowing which ones she was getting out and smiled when her friend relented. They'd bought some shelves to go on the walls to display pictures and put them up. She eyed the photo albums and grinned big. It was fun to decorate for other people, as she went and grabbed the bags from K-Mart and a couple of the mall stores for photo frames. She started arranging pictures on the couch and sat on the ottoman, picking out what would go good together as a group of photos or one to set alone. One caught her eye and she paused. Rachel had never seen it before and figured it was from the Fatone house from a while back. Someone had stood over Joey and Melissa and took a picture as they slept, curled up on the couch. She could see dark circles under Joey's eyes as well as her friends. 'After last day of U.S. Tour for NSYNC album. Two peas in a pod.'

Rachel went on through other pictures, taking ones out until she had the ones she wanted. A variety of pictures that showed Melissa's family and friends. There were others that would be set other places, but for now she was happy with what she had. She smiled at the first picture she set on the shelf, the one Justin took of her, Melissa and Lance. Getting them all situated, she made her way upstairs to check on the progress being made in the bedroom. “Looks good in here, Bass.”

“It's not too shabby,” Melissa commented, tossing another empty box towards the door. “I'm tired. I vote we take showers and make dinner and watch tv for a little while. Forget this whole moving mess.”

“You read my mind. I think some leftover Olive Garden sounds wonderful,” Rachel replied, flopping down on the bed.

“You know where the microwave is, Weatherly. Get your ass up.”

“Don't be rude, Mel. You don't talk to your guests like that,” Rachel told her, laughing when a pillow was aimed at her head and went on the other side completely missing her. “You suck.”

“You're not a guest, but I guess since you did help me unpack this stuff I can fix your dinner. Not like I can burn the house down with the microwave. Okay, maybe I could, but I got mad microwave skills.”

“You should put that on a dating site. SWF seeks SM who can cook. SWF has mad microwave skills,” Rachel got up and laughed when Melissa flipped her off. “Come on and laugh. You know it's funny.”

“Ha ha ha. I'm telling Lance you're being mean. No gay man sex for you. What will you do then?” Melissa asked, watching Rachel pretend to cry.

“Easy. I'll call Chris,” she replied as they both started laughing uncontrollably.

*^*^*^*^*

“Thank God we're off the bus,” Kristen said, watching Joey get ready for sound check. “What are we doing for dinner?” she asked him, hoping it was going to be something good.

“Whatever is in catering,” Joey replied, pulling on a t-shirt. “They usually have good stuff. We have to be back on the bus around midnight to hit Dallas from here.”

“Catering? Really, Joey..I've had catering the past week. And when we did go out, it was to wherever the whole group was going.” Kristen didn't miss Joey's glare at her from the mirror.

“No one said you had to come. You told me you wanted to come on tour with us. Everyone else is gonna eat whatever's in catering. That's what we do. I have to go to sound check, eat, get ready for the meet and greet..not like we have a lot of time to go out somewhere.”

“Fine,” Kristen huffed, getting up to find some different clothes. “You told me other females were going to be on tour too. What happened to that?” she opened her suitcase and pulled out a shirt.

“Rachel will be here in the next couple of weeks. And all of the dancers have tried to be nice to you until you asked Monica why she had to dance like a slut with me. It's her job, she's a dancer and those are the moves. Just like the damn hip thrusts and whatever else I do.”

Kristen just sighed, changing clothes. “Just make sure all those other girls know you're taken.”

“Oh they know alright. How could they not? You hang on me like you're attached to my ass.”

“I didn't hear you bitching before..when it was her,” Kristen had turned her head to smirk slightly as Joey stopped what he was doing.

“You tell me not to bring Mel up, and then you do? Fine,” Joey turned around to face Kristen. “I can't compare the two of you. She knows this is my job. It's Lance's job. That whatever I do on stage, or at the meet and greet doesn't have a damn thing to do with how I feel about her. If I kiss a girl on the cheek cause she rode with her mom five hundred miles because I'm her favorite guy ever, she wouldn't freak the fuck out and not talk to me for five hours.”

Kristen just glared at Joey, shrugging when he waited for her to respond. “I'm jealous. I'm your wife and we're having a baby and it seems like you're more worried about the fans than you are about me.”

“You're not helping your cause any, Kris. Tossing my shit off the bus pissed me the fuck off. I should get all your healthy food and toss it. But I won't. Cause I'm a nice person. Because for some reason I keep hoping that somehow you will figure out that whoever you think I am on tour or on stage isn't the only part of me. That you can love me even if I wasn't making a paycheck like I am. Can you do that?”

Kristen's mouth dropped open like she'd been slapped. “You're an ass, Joe Fatone.”

Joey's mouth clamped shut and he jammed his fedora down on his head. “Let's go,” he said, ushering Kristen out the door, in a bad mood. He only prayed the night would get better but his hopes were slim.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“Look at the lights,” Rachel pointed out as they went towards Los Angeles. “I always loved big cities at night. The guys are in Houston tonight.”

“I know. Houston is a good venue,” Melissa replied. “My favorite is NYC though. And Orlando.”

“And Atlantis,” Rachel said as she smiled. She and Melissa had went with the guys and their families when they performed in the Bahamas. It was three days of sun and sightseeing and a great concert. “Other than JC's god awful pants.”

“I loved his shirt though. It reminded me of Elvis.” Melissa laughed when Rachel rolled her eyes as they drove. “At least my car fits in here. I love this car.”

“Joey wanted to buy you something flashier and you turned him down.”

“This is what I wanted. He told me to pick it out and I did. Of course the sales man bent over backwards to make sure it had all the bells and whistles on it. The killer stereo system...” she smiled, fiddling with the knobs. The car was a few years old, but Melissa was happy to drive it, keeping it maintained and polished up.

“Huh? What did you say? I'm going deaf,” Rachel exclaimed, sticking out her tongue and turning the radio up.


“This isn't so bad,” Melissa said after they'd gotten quiet for a little bit, checking her rear view mirror again, merging with traffic. “You haven't gotten sick yet and I'm not having a panic attack.” It was nearing eight thirty and cars going down the interstate had tapered off from rush hour traffic. As many times as she'd been to Los Angeles since NSYNC had been formed, she was still backwards on where things were at times, since most of the time she was in the passenger. It was much different being there and in the flow of vehicles.

“Take this exit and we can go downtown,” Rachel instructed, planning on showing Melissa the fastest way to get to the Staples Center and a few other places. “Other lane, Mel,” she said, watching her friend get nervous a little. “Take a breath, you did fine. Plenty of room to get over.”

Melissa looked at the turn lane and at the light. She was the first in the line of cars and paused a moment to look. She pulled out and was in front of the waiting traffic when she saw the flash of headlights. There was a screech of tires and the last thing she saw was a truck coming towards her side of the car.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“We've got two females, both early twenties with multiple injuries,” an EMS responder said, talking on the phone to the paramedics that were en route to the accident. “One has a laceration to her forehead and a broken elbow. She got knocked out for approximately two minutes. There is bruising to her ribs from the seatbelt and a contusion on her head where it struck the passenger side window. The driver has a black eye from contact with the airbag and steering wheel. A broken ankle from where the door and floorboard came together. She also was unconscious for a matter of minutes. Both are awake and somewhat oriented. We have them immobilized and awaiting your arrival..” the woman looked at the girls that were laying on backboards and then at the car they'd been in, as well as the huge F-350 that hit them. The car was a total loss.


“What's your name?” A mustached man asked Rachel, holding a small flashlight up to her pupils.

“Rachel Weatherly,” Rachel told him, her head pounding at the light and having to think, reciting off her address and date of birth. “My arm hurts,” she groaned, surpressing a scream when her right arm was moved and taped to her clothes with heavy tape.

“I know, hon. Paramedics are on their way. If you feel sick let me know,” the man looked up when someone hollered his name. He brought a purse into her line of sight. “Is this yours or your friend's?”

Rachel could make out that it was hers, reaching out for it with her other arm. “Thanks.” All she could think of was calling her parents and then Lance. She figured the hospital would call her parens, so Lance went to the forefront of her mind.

“It was wedged in there good,” a different voice said out of Rachel's range of sight. “Damn..let me go help.”

Rachel frowned and wished it didn't hurt so much to move her head, her whole body hurting. Her eyes closed but she could hear Melissa getting sick and then wondering about her car. From what she could gather, the truck hit them doing forty and ended sending them into a light pole. The man was drunk and had sustained only minor injuries. “You're taking us to the same place right?” Rachel asked, concerned when she heard the ambulance sirens.

“Yes. Cedar Sinai. The man said as they hoisted Rachel, backboard and all onto a gurney.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“There's a Jim and Linda Bass listed as your emergency contact. And a Joey Fatone?” the girl in the ambulance riding with Melissa questioned, holding a cold compress over Melissa's eye, on the phone with the hospital.

“Call Jim and Linda..my parents. Joey's..working,” she mumbled, hurting and scared. She didn't know what had happened, glad that she and Rachel were going to the same place. They'd given her some pain medication for her ankle and all she wanted was to be out of the moving vehicle. “Did anyone find my purse? My phone..”

“It's right here. Just lie still and take a couple deep breaths. We're taking you to X-ray as soon as we get to the hospital. Then you'll be put in a room with your friend.”

Melissa nodded and laid there, trying hard not to cry. She wondered what the guys were doing, trying not to think about the wreck. It was just something else to make it seem like she was destined to not have anything good happen.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*


The dancing of the phone across the table as it vibrated broke through the laughter.
Chris snatched up the device. He grinned at the name flashing across the screen. “The future Mrs. Bass,” Chris boasted.
Rachel groaned and pulled the phone away from her ear. The loud voice causing her head to pound. “Chris...” her voice came out a little breathless.
“Ooo did you call to talk dirty to Lance? Well tell me and I'll pass it on,” Chris laughed out loud, joined in by Joey and Justin.
“Put it on speaker! Why should you get all the fun?” Justin yelled before snatching the phone. “Hey girl, if you're gonna talk dirty don't waste it on these yahoos,” he smirked and lowered his voice. “Talk to me.”
“A player like you? Wouldn't waste my breath,” Rachel quipped. She pinched the bridge of her nose; the pounding growing worse.
“You wound me!” Justin grabbed his chest, feigning hurt. “JC!” He yelled as the older man walked into the room with Lance. “Rachel's hurt my feelings for the last time,” he thrusted the phone out.
JC took the phone raising a questioning eyebrow toward Justin then Lance. The latter shrugged.
“Rachel called to talk dirty to Lance,” Chris filled them in. “She's holding out though. I bet she'll respond to your sexy voice.”
JC rolled his eyes ignoring Lance's protests of it's my phone'. “Hey Rachel,” he said with a smile.
“Can I just talk to Lance!” Rachel snapped out not ready to deal with anymore teasing. Her head pounded furiously and her stomach started to roll. The doctor had warned her about the queasiness. This was worse than any hangover she's ever had. At the silence on the other end she cringed; ashamed for snapping at JC. “C,” she whispered. “I'm sorry. It's just...” she trailed off and laid back on the Emergency Room gurney. She closed her eyes shutting out the light. It brought little relief.
JC's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. Rachel had never been short with any of them before. It took him by surprise. She could always put a stop to their teasing, her and Melissa both with a short retort but it was never angry. “No, it's okay,” JC brushed off her apologies.

“JC I'm sorry. I didn't mean to snap,” Rachel sighed cutting him off. She felt a couple tears slip through her closed eyes. She let out a wavering breath trying to hold the tears back. She shouldn't be crying. She was fine; Melissa was fine. But she could still hear the screech of the brakes as the tires squealed against the asphalt; the pop as metal collided with metal. They were like rag dolls in the car as it turned and skidded out of control on the highway.
“Rachel, what's wrong?” JC's heart stumbled as he heard the tears over the line. His pulse quickened and he tried not to panic. “Are you okay? Mel?” The worry in JC's voice brought Lance closer to him, his own worry evident on his face. The other three members stopped horsing around and migrated closer to the phone.
“We're at the hospital,” Rachel's voice broke. She wiped at her tears listening as JC yelled questions into the phone. She winced as the level of loudness grew.
“Hospital? Why are you there? What happened? Are you hurt? Are you okay? Is Melissa okay?'”JC shot questions out as his mind blew through scenarios of why she ended up in. The hospital - none of them good. A chorus of other questioners joined him, all of the guys talking at once.
“Quiet,” Rachel whispered on the phone, her eyes clenched. The voices on the other end of the phone abruptly stopped before JC, volumes lower, returned.
“Are you okay?” JC spoke softly into the phone.
“I'm okay, JC,” Rachel felt a small smile grace her lips. The worry the man was feeling washing over her. “Can you put me on speaker so I can say this once? And the first time I hear yelling I'm hanging up. My head will explode.”
“Shut up and let her talk,” JC punched a button on the phone and held it in front of him. They all leaned forward waiting for Rachel to speak.
“Mel and I were in a car accident,” Rachel started out. The other end stayed silent and a small smile formed on her lips as she imagined them all hovered around the phone, bouncy movements as they fought to stay silent. “We are both okay, just banged up good. Mel's car is destroyed...”

“Who cares about the damn car, Rachel,” Joey burst unable to keep quiet any longer. His mind was racing, his heart thumping wildly. Melissa was in a car accident. She was in a hospital thousands of miles away from him.

Lance's eyes cut to Joey. He could agree with his best friend; he didn't care about the car either. He was more worried about his sister and Rachel. At least he knew Rachel was fine just by hearing her voice. But Melissa, he had no idea. Rachel wouldn't lie to him about the extent of their injuries.

“I know; I'm sorry,' Rachel said softly causing JC to raise the phone higher so they could hear. “It's all still kind of fresh.”

“Take your time,” JC's voice melted over the phone, laced with worry.

“They took Mel for an X-ray and a CAT scan. I went first for the CAT scan and then the X-ray. Now waiting for the results. I knocked my head against the window. Got my bell ring pretty good. They say I have a concussion. Have the worst headache in the world. Lights are killing me.”

“A CAT scan?”Lance questioned, mentally going through their schedule the next couple of days to see if he can go to California. After the show tonight, they had a travel day before the next show. He could see if there was a flight available after the show.

“Just a precautionary measure Lance,” Rachel assured him. “I promise you, we're fine. We're bruised from the seatbelt. The airbag gave her quite a shiner though. I knocked my elbow pretty hard, I cracked the bone and they have me in a cast. Mel broke her ankle and they might have to do surgery.” She gave a slight pause. “She's fine Lance. I talked to her before they took her back. She's already bitching about how she loved that car.”

“Jesus,” Chris released the breath he'd been holding in relief. “I'd have much rather this had been a dirty phone call.”

“A dirty phone call with five guys on speaker? What type of woman do you think I am? Shut up Justin.”

Justin snapped his mouth close. The quip he had died on the tip of his tongue. “I wasn't gonna say anything, chica.”

Rachel laughed, “You're such a liar. They want to keep me over night. I haven't heard if they want Mel to stay as well. I would assume she is.”

“Keep you overnight?” JC broke in. “Why? Are they worried?”

“Relax JC,” Rachel smiled. 'I'm really alright. They just want me to stay for observation. I knocked my head pretty hard; I was out for a minute or two.”

It was easier said than done for JC. He felt tied. He was thousands of miles away unable to do anything. And Rachel could tell him she was fine seven ways to Sunday; he wouldn't be put at ease until he physically saw her.

“I'm coming out there,”Lance said abruptly. Hospitals and CAT scans. There were just too many things about it that he didn't like.

“Lance, you can't. You just started your tour. Of which you should be getting ready to go on stage in an hour or so. If we stay at the hospital-”

“You're staying.”

Rachel rolled her eyes. “Yes Dad. But seriously, you don't need to come. I won't allow you to cancel any dates.”

Four sets of eyes looked at Lance with their eyebrows raised. “Allow?” Chris mouthed.

“You and Mel are more important than any concert Rachel. You know that.”

“And I'm telling you we are fine. Nothing a couple days of rest and the best over-the-counter meds money can buy. I'm sure they'll let us out tomorrow, broken limbs and all.” The curtain surrounding her cubicle on one side parted and her doctor walked in. “I need to go guys. The doctors back. I'll call and let you know anything new hopefully before you go on stage and I'll make sure Mel is with me when I do so you can hear that she's fine.”

“You better call before we go on stage tonight.”

“I will Lance,” Rachel said softly. “Stop worrying. Bye guys,” she clicked off the phone. Before looking at the doctor she quickly sent off a text to Lance a grin on her face.

'Let me know when you land.
Chapter 26 part 2 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
Here is the rest of the chapter. My muses are long winded. :) Enjoy, leave feedback and let me know what you think.
"How was your CAT scan?" Rachel asked as Melissa was wheeled back into the room with her. She tried not to smile as her best friend gave her a look that asked if she had gone crazy. "Just wanted to know if it was as fun as mine trying not to get sick while the thing whirred around my head." She was a glad a smile creased the corners of her friends mouth.

"It was a CAT scan. Now I feel like I'm on a tilt a whirl and want to get off," Melissa replied, sitting up a little and grimacing when her ribs caught with the tape that was on them. "Someone get that license plate of the truck that hit us?" she joked, leaning her head back as tears came. Melissa felt bad Rachel had gotten hurt, and most of all wanted the one thing she couldn't have. She was doing what she'd always done when things got too much, she was running away. And now she'd gotten her friend hurt. None of this came out, only in tears. It had scared her to see it all happen in slow motion, the truck colliding with her Mustang and the screech of the tires and other cars.

"Hey," Rachel said, getting up gingerly to make her way over to her friend, putting an arm around her and pulling her in close. "We're alright, Mel. I called the guys....they were worried. I told them I'd call them back before the show so they could hear your beautiful voice," Rachel sighed inwardly as Melissa cried harder. "Buck up, little camper..you cry on them and they'll freak out."

Melissa wiped her eyes and tried to get her emotions in check. "Did you cry?" she asked, eyeing Rachel and watching Rachel nod. "Just call them," she finally said, watching Rachel dial the number.

The phone rang and there was a fight for the phone, Justin coming up with it. "Talk to me, gorgeous," Justin said, holding up a finger and putting it on speaker. "You're on with all of us, Rachel," he said, holding the phone in the middle of the guys.

“I told you I'd call when Melissa got back. Say hi, Mel,” Rachel said.

"Hey," Melissa told them all, listening to a chorus of hi's. "I survived the wreck, and them giving me shots...and a CAT scan that made me want to throw up. I'm fine," she lied, hoping they would believe her.

"Bullshit," Justin said before anyone else could, "Rachel said you looked like you went a few rounds with Holyfield and broke your ankle and shit. That is not fine, chica."

"Okay, so other than all that stuff, you're fine," Chris asked, his eyes going to Joey's. He watched Joey chew his bottom lip, and not look at anyone, just the phone. "Cause we got people over here about to flip out."

“Oh I'm wonderful, Kirkpatrick. Couldn't be better,” Melissa snapped at Chris, sighing. She swallowed hard. “I'm sorry, Christopher. I'm alright. I'm here with Rachel in this nice room and a button to push to make a nurse come in and give me pain meds. And I get to have surgery on my ankle in the morning,” she told them, looking over at Rachel then leaned her head on her best friend's shoulder. “Don't worry about us. We're fine. Gonna sit here and watch television and mourn over my car. I loved that damn car.”

“We can get you another one, Chica. It's just a car. What kind do you want?” Justin asked, frowning when he heard a sniffle. “What did I say?” he asked, his hand over the reciever.

Joey had an angry look on his face when he lifted his head to face Justin. “I took her to get that car. Signed the note on it and wrote the fucking check. Graduation present,” he hissed.

“And earlier you fucking said who cared about the fucking car?” Justin retorted angrily, glaring at Joey, hearing the phone shuffle. “Rach?” he said, not sure who he was talking to.

“Yep. It's okay Timberlake...” Rachel looked at her friend who was just staring at the television a tear or two escaping down her cheek. “Kick ass at the show for us tonight.” It was her not so subtle way of changing the subject.

“We'll see you later tonight,” Lance promised the girls, hanging up the phone after the guys said goodbye.

“What the fuck?” Justin growled at Joey, body checking him slightly as he walked by. “I didn't know any of that shit about Mel's car. You were bitching earlier because she was worried about the car. So either you don't give a shit or it's tearing you up,” he watched Joey fight his emotions, shaking his head.

“Let's just get through the show,” Lance said, waiting to get the mic hooked up to his clothes, trying to defuse the situation. “We gotta do this and them I'm out to L.A for a day or so.”

The other men nodded, finishing up what they needed to do to get ready.

“I'm going with you,” JC told Lance as they got on the lift.

Lance nodded, listening to the crowd go crazy. He'd felt better now that he'd heard his sister's voice as well. That wouldn't compare to seeing Rachel and Melissa, praying that the show would go fast. He caught Joey's eye and wished the other man was going as well. He doubted that would happen with Kristen being there waiting for them backstage. He couldn't imagine her being thrilled if Joey announced he was hopping on a plane. He heard Justin sing 'Dirty Pop' and tried to get his mind to focus. A couple of hours and he'd be on a plane heading to California.

*^*^*^*^*^*^
“We'll call you when we get to the hospital. Someone better have their phone on,” JC told the other three guys who were gathered in the room they'd started in before the show. “We'll be back in time for the curtain to go up in Dallas,” he said, ticking off the plan for the next day. Joey, Justin and Chris had a radio interview with one of the Dallas radio stations after the buses pulled in the next day.

“I'll have my phone on,” Joey told him, wishing he was going. He'd mentioned it to Kristen and she'd given him a nasty look. He relented, but that didn't mean they were done talking about it. It was his friends in the hospital and it hurt him that he couldn't go. He felt like it was his fault Melissa was there. It was a constant fight with his mind. Hating himself for sleeping with Kristen, getting her pregnant and the happiness he felt at the news of impending fatherhood. The two parts went back and forth while his heart reminded him that he felt empty. All while he had to keep pretending he was happy.

“Had no doubts you wouldn't be up,” Lance said, clapping his best friend on the shoulder. “I'll call you first.”

“Sure, call him first,” Justin teased, rolling his eyes at Joey. “Leave us out. Chasez will tell us what's the 4-1-1.”

“Be careful,” Chris told them, not missing the raised voice of Joey as he'd walked by the dressing room earlier. He hadn't stayed to listen, but he could tell Joey wasn't happy.

Justin watched two of their bandmates leave and looked at the two remaining members. “Well, this officially fucking sucks ass. We tried to talk her out of moving,” his eyes went to Joey's. “You tried to talk to Mel, right? Tell her you needed her to stay? Begged or some shit?”

“And what good would that have done, Justin?” Joey held up his left hand, showing his ring finger. “You seem to think it's just that easy to forget now that I'm married. I lied to her and told her I'd be happy. So here I am-”

“Fucking miserable,” Justin interjected. “No need to lie among friends.” He flinched when Joey cussed, his fist hitting the door and making the metal rattle. “That's it, Rocky. Beat the shit out of something. Let off that steam.” He smirked when Joey flipped him off, looking at Chris after Joey had walked away.

“You shouldn't do that. He's hurting,” Chris said as they went to grab their bags.

“What are we doing? Fucking living with rainbows and god damn unicorns? I'm not tiptoeing around Joey just because his life's riding on the roller coaster from Hell. Besides, you know Melissa's just as miserable as he is. It's like one of those Shakespeare tragedies. No one fucking makes it out happy, or alive.”

Chris gave Justin an odd look and shook his head. “Somehow, I don't even want to know. You need some therapy or something. You make it sound like Joey and Mel are going to be miserable forever.”

“Dawg, if I fucking lost my soulmate, I wouldn't have bothered to leave my house. Just let me lay there and die. But not our Joey, he's going down in a blaze of glory,” Justin hitched his bag onto his shoulder and waited for Chris so they could walk together.

“What about Mel?” Chris asked, still not quite sure what Justin was talking about.

“Chica's gonna get out there and realize her life goes on. Then she'll be the girl none of us knows, all the time wanting Joey back. She won't say it, but no one will be her Joey. So she tries to substitute it with whatever...Trust me on this.”

“You sound insane, Justin. Either insane or a genuis,” Chris told him as they were then flanked by security to get on their respective tour buses. “You write songs about this shit don't you?” he asked, halfway leaning out of the door to the bus.

“It's what I live for,” Justin called out with a laugh, getting on the empty bus. He sat down and sighed after the bus started going, watching the fans yell and shout as it left, giving a wave and then looking around at the empty seats that his friends usually sat in. His mind was full, unable to relax. His thoughts went to Rachel and Melissa, glad they were alright. He'd only teased Joey because it was how Justin dealt with situations that made him scared. It unnerved him to think of his friends being so upset over the absence of the other. Justin picked up his phone and sent off a text message. 'You missed the Astrodome.'

He smiled when he got one back, his phone beeping. 'No shit.My car was turned into a sardine can. How was the show?'

'As always, we sucked big donkey balls.'

'F-U Timberlake.'

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
JC tried to relax, but it was hard. It was no secret he hated hospitals. He disliked the smell of them and automatically his mind went to the worst thing that could happen. The girls could really be hurt worse than they'd said, something could go wrong and them not be there in time...for what Josh didn't know. He rubbed his palms on his jeans and looked over at Lance. “This is a non-stop flight, right?” he asked, knowing it was, but wanting confirmation.

“Yeah, we'll be there in a couple hours. Take a deep breath. It's not as bad as what you're making it out to be. Quit over thinking it in that head of yours.” Lance sat there a few minutes. “Thanks for coming with me, man. You didn't have to ya know.”

Josh studied the people around him, watching the other first class passengers read or watch the in flight movie. Others were sleeping and he was about to jump out of his skin from nerves. “Yeah I did. Call it crazy, but I have to go see those two with my own eyes...If I don't I'll be waking up screaming with nightmares from some movie.” He tried to smile at his own joke, but couldn't, running a hand over his face.

Lance nodded, letting the comment go. He leaned back in his seat and sighed, trying to think of something other than the wreck and about all the drama surrounding them. As a group, they were under a microscope for everything. If Joey's hair changed color or Justin made an off color comment, the world knew about it the next day. They'd all dealt with Joey's recent nuptuals as best as they could. He wanted to say that he was happy for Joey, but it was difficult to stomach. And Rachel was trying to be the best friend to Melissa that she was and not treat Joey any differently than before. Lance looked at his phone. “How do you think the other three will do at the radio interview?” he asked, hoping it would go well.

“We left the three stooges...How do you think it will go?” JC asked, looking at Lance. “Although with Joey's state of mind, it might turn out okay.”

“Or a disaster,” Lance interjected. Both men talked for a little while about various subjects, getting quiet for a while, each lost in their own thoughts. They had both had a consensus of calling the hospital as soon as they landed so that they could be taken straight to the private room where Melissa and Rachel were.

The passengers on the plane slowly came to life as the captain came on and announced that they would be landing in fifteen minutes. JC looked over at Lance and raised an eyebrow. “You think the nurses have given the girls some good meds yet?”

“I'd have knocked them out as soon as they got in the room,” Lance chuckled. “I'm sure they've had something for pain. My sister ought to be good and pissed off if she can't have anything until after surgery tomorrow.”

“Have I mentioned I hate hospitals?” JC reiterated, putting his seatbelt on. The knot in his stomach came back, anxious to see Rachel. That feeling scared him as well, not sure what was going on with the two of them. Not someone to get involved with someone who was already in a relationship, Josh knew he was playing with fire wearing his feelings so close to the surface. At the same time, he couldn't help it. Since New Year's, JC had been fighting his feelings. Before then, if he admitted it, but kissing Rachel had sealed the deal. It had brought him to where he was now, breathing a sigh of relief when the plane landed and taxied down the tarmac.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Rachel laid in the hospital bed, her eyes closed. The beeping noises and hallway sounds kept her awake. Also the thought of Lance and JC being on their way. It wasn't that JC was coming that was a problem, it was why. She reasoned it could be because he didn't want Lance to come by himself. In the back of her mind, Rachel wanted to think it was because of her. It sounded selfish, but it made her feel better that she was attractive to a man again. That she felt something for someone who she thought liked her. Something that wasn't an act. She'd smiled big when she'd gotten the text from JC when he said he was coming with Lance.

There was no pretending to like Josh. Rachel had told herself that a couple of weeks ago. She liked him. Loved him even. That train of thought was broken by a sniffle. Melissa was laying in the bed next to hers, her head not facing where she could see. "What's wrong?" It sounded like a stupid question, considering everything her friend had been through, but Rachel wasn't a mind reader.

Melissa had tried to be quiet. Tears coursing down her cheeks had wet the pillow and her hair. Nothing had gone right since the year started. She heard Rachel's voice and wanted to laugh at the question, but instead swallowed and turned her head. "I want Joey," her voice was soft and sounded slightly hoarse. "I want him here, Rachel. I shouldn't want that, but I want to see him smile and hold my hand... Tell me everything's okay."

Rachel twisted around and got to where she could sit up and not knock around her arm that was in a sling. "I thought you were doing alright with all of this," she told Melissa, getting up and wincing when she put weight on her legs. Her whole body felt like it had been beaten and shook, hurting when she moved towards her friend's bed.

"I don't know if I'll ever be truly alright with this," Melissa whispered, using the back of her hand to wipe tears. "I've loved Joey for so long. And we had just started the next part of our relationship. After all this time being just friends we were able to move on. I got to see how it felt to really be with him. To be his. And then it was just all snatched away and I'm not even left with a friend. I feel empty; like there is this big void that's missing."

Rachel took up the side of the bed Melissa had vacated when she'd rolled to her side and she felt awful for her friend. For a moment she thought of what it would be like if she and Melissa weren't friends. It wasn't the relationship like she had with Joey, but Rachel knew as friends, she'd be devastated. A part of her would be missing, someone who was her sister. "I'm sorry, Mel," she replied, putting a hand on her shoulder. "I have no doubt Joey's worried about you..it will drive him crazy that Josh will be here and not him."

Melissa didn't smile at the thought. "I doubt JC's coming to just see me," her eyes met Rachel's. “He hates hospitals and it bothers him if someone he cares about is in one. He'll be imagining a scene from a horror movie by the time him and my brother get here."

Rachel smiled slightly at the thought of him braving the hospital for them. "Josh will come and then wish he'd have stayed on the bus."

"Whatever," Melissa gave Rachel the 'talk to the hand sign' after wiping her tears. She rolled over and stared at the wall. She wasn't mad at Rachel, or even upset at JC for coming. It would be nice to see Josh. However, it wasn't the same. No one was coming just to see her. She was happy for her friend. A pang of jealousy went through her. JC could tell all sorts of lies, but she knew he was coming to see Rachel. And even though Lance was coming for both of them, he'd be worrying about Rachel. Melissa rolled back over on her back. “I guess this will teach me to move. Welcome to California,” she snorted, trying to make the hurt go away.

“At least it wasn't your fault,” Rachel pointed out, grabbing the remote that was attached to her bed, flipping on the television. “Look what's on.” A smile crossed her face when Carson Daly's face appeared on the MTV screen, a re-run of TRL on.

“Lovely. Have fun. I'm going to try and sleep,” Melissa told her, knowing it would probably be impossible. “Love you Rach.”

“I love you too,” her friend replied, a small smile coming to her face as Pop started. She figured Melissa was over there listening, hearing the bed shift once more when Joey's part came up. “I knew you were awake.”

“You can so tell that is Wade's body. Unless Joey went on a diet. Kristen's probably stuffing healthy food down him every chance she gets,” Melissa sat up a little. “Send him to the store for bok chow or some shit.” Tears streamed down her face at the thought, not sure if she thought it was sad or funny. “He'd be lost for hours...”

“He'd hit up the McDonald's and buy fries just to piss her off. You know that.”

“You came home smelling like fries. Fries aren't healthy,” Melissa laughed a little, wiping tears. “Hi, my name is Joey Fatone and I'm addicted to McDonald's fries because my pregnant wife refuses to let me eat real food.”

Rachel let her friend get quiet and then looked over at her some minutes later, passed out. “Damn you, Joey,” she muttered. She toyed with the idea, but left it alone. She wasn't about to get involved in business that wasn't hers. She had enough on her plate. TRL came back on and Rachel smiled wide as the Backstreet Boys played. She turned the volume down and closed her eyes, hoping to get some rest before Lance and JC showed up in a little bit.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Lance paused a moment at the door, looking at the paper that was inside the clear holder next to the room number. 'Private Room' it said. 'Weatherly/Bass' underneath that. He and Josh stepped into the darkened room, the television on, casting a glow on the beds.

“Hi,” Rachel said softly turning her head when the door opened, tears pricking her eyes as both men came up to her, one on either side of the bed. She was expecting the nurse, but was glad it was them. “I told you I was alright,” she told JC, but had wound her fingers into Lance's. “You got here fast.”

“Non stop flight,” Lance said, leaning down to kiss Rachel softly, wiping her tears. “Shhh..It's okay, Rach,” he leaned down and gingerly gave her a hug. It made him feel better to see Rachel, listening to JC talk to her as he turned his head to see his sister laying there, staring at him. “Mel.”

Melissa swallowed hard, pushing down the momentary jealousy at her brother and JC. She'd woken up to see them in the room, figuring Rachel had been awake. “Hey, Lance,” she turned and grabbed the bed clicker, moving the top part up some so she could sit up. “Welcome to Cedar Sinai,” she joked, hugging him, wincing when he touched her face gingerly. “That airbag hits like a bitch.”

Lance chuckled and shrugged. “Mom and Dad were coming, but their flight got turned around because of storms. So it looks like it's just me and Josh.” He watched Melissa bite her lip and nod.

“You and JC are wonderful to come. I told you not to come though,” Rachel admonished both men.

“What kind of guys would we be if we left you two here by yourselves?” JC told Rachel, sitting down beside her in a chair. He looked her over carefully for any other bruises that he could see, anything that might need attention. All Josh knew was that he'd have come no matter what the situation would have been. That thought alone struck him silent as he listened to the conversations around him, content to just sit and hear what was said, stealing glances at Rachel when he hoped no one was looking.
Chapter 27 part 1 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
I am so sorry I haven't updated a lot. I am finishing up with finals and will be done with college! Also writing on this and Secret Santa and holidays...anyways, enjoy! Let me know what you think.
Rachel woke up with a start, not sure of where she was for a moment. She then jumped at the sight of JC sitting next to her, leaned back, eyes closed with the recliner fully out, a hospital blanket covering him. On the other side of the room was Lance in the same position in the recliner next to Melissa's bed. There was no clock on the wall, so Rachel grabbed JC's phone that was sitting on the table and looked at the time lit up in the front face. It was almost two in the morning.

She and Melissa had told the guys they could go stay at the condo or in a hotel, but they'd refused, arguing that it was easier just to stay there. No one would bother them and they could be there as soon as Melissa went to have surgery and she got discharged, no one would be waiting for someone to arrive. She laid there and listened to the sounds of breathing and wondered how hard it would be to get up and go to the bathroom. Rachel felt more sore now than she had earlier and grunted a little as she sat up.

“Damn,” she muttered, sliding one leg over to dangle off the bed and bring the other one as well as she pushed up with her left arm to sit up straighter.

“You need help?” Josh mumbled, not really awake but hearing noise.

“I got it,” Rachel whispered, gingerly testing out her legs and standing there a few moments. “I think I got beaten with a baseball bat.”

JC sat up and stretched, yawning. He wasn't really awake, but peeled his eyes open and watched as Rachel made her way to the bathroom. He heard her move around and then heard his name. He got up and went to the door. “Need help?” he asked, listening to her mumble.

Rachel stood up by the toilet and sighed. “Not help. Just need..well..come here.” She'd found it was hard to wash her hand with one hand. She smiled at JC as the both of them came into the bathroom. “Help me wash my hand.”

“I hardly think you needed help with that,” he pointed out after turning on the sink, taking the soap and lathering up on her wet hand. JC's fingers liguidly ran along Rachel's and then after he rinsed it under the water. He looked her over, studying the stitches on her head, frowning and bringing up one of his hands to cradle her face. “You look tired,” he said, trying not to sigh when Rachel leaned on him, her good arm wrapping around his midsection.

“I am,” Rachel said, tears coming to her eyes and smiling as JC wiped them away, humming some unintelligible song as he rested his arms around her. She was tired of fighting her feelings for JC and at the same time, knew that Lance needed her. “Thank you for coming,” she looked at his reflection in the mirror. Josh just held onto her, nodding. “I should go back to bed.” There were so many other things she'd wanted to say, but that was what came out.

“Shit!” JC said, groaning. “We forgot to call Joey, he's going to be pissed.” He let Rachel go as she exited the bathroom and handed him his phone. “He'll be asleep, Rach.”

“At least call and tell him you made it fine. And that Mel's fine...” Rachel let the door close most of the way and went and sat on the edge of the hospital bed. She felt a twinge of regret that Joey wasn't there.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Joey heard his phone ring and he plucked it off the floor next to the couch in the back of the tour bus. “This is Joey Fatone. My life is Hell, please leave a message after the fucking beep,” he said not bothering to open his eyes.

“We made it to L.A fine. The girls are fine,” JC told his friend, feeling guilty that he was standing there all of a sudden, knowing that Joey should be there.

Joey snorted. “Nice of you to call, Chasez. What, did you suddenly remember I've been waiting for you to call the whole damn night?” He didn't hold back the bite in his voice, pissed off and hurt. “When's Mel's surgery?”

“Around nine. I'm sorry Joe. We got here and the girls were asleep...they woke up and we talked and then all fell asleep. If it helps any, she said your name a couple times in her sleep.”

Joey frowned, hating himself. Hating that he was stuck on a bus in Texas with no way to be in California. “No. That doesn't help Josh. It makes me feel more like shit than I already do.”

“I'd change places with you man.”

“Fuck you, JC. Someone better damn well call me before she goes back. You never know how that shit can go,” Joey said, not even wanting to think about what could happen. They always gave the spiel before going under with anesthesia that you had the possibility of not waking up. That made it hard to breathe, forcing him to swallow deep a few times. “Just promise me Lance will call.”

“I'll tell him. I'm gonna get off here and try and get more sleep.”

“You do that,” Joey told his friend. “Tell Rachel I'm glad she's okay. Not like she doesn't have enough attention from Lance...”

JC's jealousy pricked at that moment, wanting to inform Joey that he was there too, but he quickly forced those words back. “I'll tell her Joe. See you later.”

“Later.” Joey hung up and stared at his phone. All he wanted was normal. Normal for him at least. His phone buzzed with a text message and he looked at it. He frowned, hating what it said. 'She wanted you here. Not any of us. Just so you know.'

“I heard you talking,” Chris said, coming to the back and flopping down in the chair next to the couch, not all the way awake. “Things okay?”

“Wonderful, Kirkpatrick. Just absolutely great. Couldn't be any better.” Joey was in a mood, tired of people asking him if he was alright, or people just giving him a look. The looks were the worst, one that made him feel like they were judging him. Like they expected him to be this happy go-lucky person twenty four hours a day. He could manage four or five hours of smiling, pretending that his life was great.

“It could be worse man,” Chris said, listening to Joey harrumph. “No one died in the car accident, did they? You're getting to be a dad. A woman who's had her heart stomped on is still talking to you, when it was you who did the damage. Three things you can be thankful for.”

“Oh yes, let's add that all up with a pile of shit and see what happens.”

Chris turned his head and looked at Joey, a slight growl to his voice. “Just because you're hurting doesn't mean none of us aren't either, assfuck.”

“What could you possibly be hurting about?”

“It's too early in the morning to start this, Fatone. Go to sleep,” Chris told him, pulling the lever to let the recliner out. “Just know that we're brothers, man. Whatever you're going through, we all feel it. Go to sleep,” he repeated, his voice changing tone slightly. “Sweet dreams.”

Joey laid there after Chris had gotten still and heard a soft snore coming from the older man before he tried to close his eyes. Worry had made him exhausted and he knew he had to try and get some rest. His mind drifted and the last thing he remembered was thinking of how the couch wasn't as comfortable as he'd remembered.

*^*^*^*^*^^*^*^*^

“You're going home, Weatherly,” Melissa told Rachel, holding up the papers the nurse had given her to read and sign off on for her surgery. “One of us is going home and sitting on the couch. I'll be home later...This is an outpatient thing, right?” she asked Lance, who nodded. “See, I'll be home later.”

“I could sit with Lance,” Rachel told her, wanting to stay with her boyfriend. She also did want to go to the condo and put on some of her own clothes, to sit down and think without hearing a beeping noise of a machine or footsteps down a hallway.

“You could, but JC's going with you to the condo so you can rest,” Lance told Rachel, getting up and pulling her into his arms. He could see that she was exhausted and knew that her just staying here would wear her out more. “I'll be fine,” he smiled and kissed her softly. “I can call and let you know how things went. Who knows, maybe they'll give her good drugs where she can't talk for a few days. Give us all a break,” he teased, making a face at his sister.

“Remind me I need to put ex-lax in your chocolate shake, you ass,” Melissa told her brother, looking at Rachel. She shared a knowing smile with her best friend. Time alone with Josh was something she figured Rachel wouldn't mind at all. It was something that didn't happen often out on tour. This was just a blip of time. Melissa waved her friend off, telling her to go home and sit and watch tv. “Keep my ottoman warm for me,” she called out to Rachel after getting hugs from her and Josh both. They'd called a cab to take them home. Laying her head back on the pillow, she looked over at Lance and swallowed hard, taking his hand. “I don't have to pretend to be brave anymore do I ?”

Lance's green eyes met his sister's and his heart stumbled, watching her cry. “No, Mel...” he bit his lip. “Someone wanted me to call. I promised Joe I'd call before they gave you goofy juice. He wanted to talk for a few minutes.”

Melissa nodded, wiping her face with the back of her hand. She closed her eyes and listened to the phone ring, since Lance had it on speaker. “Talk..I'll be back.” He got up, giving her privacy as he slipped just outside the room. Melissa listened to Joey say hello and she fought to keep her voice even. “Hey Fatoney,” she said, hating that tears came anyway.

“Bambina,” Joey said, ignoring the sudden stop of talking between Chris and Justin. “Are you alright?”

Melissa could hear the worry in his voice and wished she could see him to reassure him that she was okay, even if she wasn't totally sure. “I'm a little scared. I mean, it's a routine surgery..I just hate needles and all that...” her voice fell off and she took a shaky breath.

“I know, Melly. I called Nona this morning and she said she was praying for you. She said to tell you she loves you,” Joey told her, listening to her tell about her parents calling, and a few other calls she'd gotten. “Do you need anything?” he asked, hating that he wasn't there.

Melissa could have answered that so many ways, but instead changed the subject. She didn't want to be truthful not wanting to hurt more than she was or hurt Joey by telling him she wanted him. “I'll have Lance call you when it's over. It made me feel better, talking to you” Melissa whispered, a calm feeling washing over her, hearing Joey chuckle.

“Glad one of us does. Tell him to let me know..text is fine if I don't answer. We have a radio interview. Guess I better go get ready. Seems like I can't wear the same clothes for more than a couple days before people bitch.”

“The Fatone funk. Ewww,” Melissa told him, a smile coming to her face. She listened to him grumble and then told him goodbye as Lance came back in, along with a nurse.

“I tried to keep her out as long as I could,” Lance said, taking the phone. He felt it buzz and smiled, seeing Justin and Chris telling him Joey actually was smiling. Or at least not pissed off and scowling. He left the room while they put a catheter in and hooked the IV up with medications and walked beside her as they wheeled the bed to where the anesthesiologist was. “I love you,” he told her, kissing his sister's cheek.

“Love you too,” Melissa laid back on the bed, letting the first round of drugs work, a smile on her face as she drifted off.

“Mr. Bass, if you'll come with me, I'll show you were the waiting room is,” a nurse said, smiling at him.

Lance walked along the hallway and sat down, flipping his phone open. He sent out a blanket text message that Melissa was fine and now in surgery. He smiled at the replies, then shut his phone and leaned back and sighed. He prayed that his sister would be fine, and that Rachel was getting rest. His thoughts drifted and Lance found himself wondering about the tour. He wasn't worried really, just that he knew he and Joey would be busy filming the movie and doing the tour. Not only that, but with a baby on the way, he figured Joey was going to feel like he was never still. Lance's thoughts were never very far from Rachel and he smiled at her text. 'Condo sweet condo' she wrote, sending a picture of herself on the couch. 'See you in a little while, xoxo' she added.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

“Should you really be doing that?” JC asked, his eyebrow raised as he watched Rachel load the dishwasher. “I can help-” he started towards her, but stopped when she held up a hand.

“It's a few cups, Josh,” Rachel told him, shutting the machine and looking at him. “I'm sure the insurance company hasn't been called about the car. I can do that,” she said, naming off a few other things that needed to be done.

“Rachel,” JC said, giving her a look and folding his arms as he watched her go to a binder and flip through it. “Rachel,” he repeated, his voice taking on a more authoritarian tone and he had to fight to not smirk when she looked at him, clearly not liking being interrupted. “You need to rest.”

“I'll rest after-” Rachel was cut off by JC coming over to her and taking the binder full of business cards from her hands. “I need that...”

“No. You don't,” JC said gently, setting it down on the counter and sliding it a little ways from where they stood. “You're about to fall over. Go to the couch and sit and relax. I'll fix you some hot tea and something to snack on,” his hand caressed her shoulder as he pushed her towards the living room.

“You're bossy, Chasez.” Rachel's body nearly hummed at JC's hand on her, her body moving towards the couch. She let him arrange a pillow under her arm that was in the sling and cover her with a blanket.

“Only when someone's being stubborn and won't listen,” JC reached and pushed a strand of hair away from Rachel's face giving her a grin. “Just sit here and don't worry about anything.”

Rachel watched JC turn the corner to go into the kitchen and she frowned, hating that she couldn't see him. How could she not worry? Her best friend was in surgery and they were both hurt. She felt like it was her job to worry, at least somewhat. To take care of things. “Need any help?” she called out, listening to cabinet doors opening and closing.

“No,” JC called back, finding what he needed and putting the water on to get hot. It would take a few minutes, so he came back into the living room and sat down next to Rachel. “Where did Mel find that tea kettle?” he asked. “The last time I saw one was at my grandma's.”

“That one was her mom's..and before that her grandmother's. It's moved quite a few times,” Rachel told JC. “Can I ask you a question?” her eyes met his and she smiled slightly, their hands next to each other on the couch. Her breath caught when JC's hand found hers and he held on, his thumb running over hand as his fingers intwined with hers.

“Anything,” JC waited for her to speak. He prayed it wouldn't be a question about his feelings. He had an idea of how he felt, but not sure he was ready to share it with Rachel, not sure if he wanted to confess that he thought of her as more than a friend. And even if he did feel more, she was dating Lance. He wasn't the type to steal someone's girlfriend, no matter if it was just for looks or not.

“Why were you so worried about me? Even after I told you I was fine...” Rachel raised an eyebrow at him, watching him swallow hard. “I wouldn't lie to you about that, C.”

“I know that. I just...I don't deal with people in hospitals well. I never have. And we were in Texas and you were here...” his voice trailed off. “No one could tell, the fans I mean, but we were barely keeping it together on stage. All I could think about was something happening and the phone ringing and no one to answer it, to find out that you needed us here.”

The shrill whistle of the tea kettle interrupted the conversation and JC got up quickly. “I'll be right back,” he said, giving her a smile.

Rachel leaned her head back on the couch cushion and sighed. She wasn't afraid of JC. She was afraid of what would happen if she got hurt, or the bigger fear, if Josh hurt her. That thought had crept up in her mind the more she thought about her pseudo relationship with Lance. It was her safety barrier against being hurt. Lance would never hurt her like another man would. He cared for her more than just a girlfriend, and more than a friend. It was almost perfect if she had to put a word on it. And as perfect as it was, Rachel found herself falling a little more when JC came back into where she was carrying a cup of hot tea and some cookies. “You spoil me, Josh.”

“I was given strict instructions to take care of you like you were my own,” he replied, giving her a genuine smile and then a non committal shrug, playing it off.

“So you boss me around and make me relax,” Rachel took a sip of her tea and sighed. She could taste the sweetness of honey in it. “I'm really glad you came with Lance. I'm sure he needed someone to come.”

JC nodded, looking at one of the pictures on the table between the couch and the chair. He picked it up and smiled, showing it to her. It was one of Melissa and Joey back when they were younger, both of them making a stupid face at the camera. “I think Joey will be glad to have you there with us,” he said softly. “He's so heartsick. I hate seeing him like that and at the same time, I can't say anything. Besides that, you're a lot prettier to look at than those four.”

“Thank God,” Rachel told JC, playfully pushing his arm. “If I'm not better looking than Justin, something is wrong.” She smiled and grabbed a cookie from the plate. “Chewy cookies are the best.”
Rachel wanted to roll her eyes at herself, wondering if that's what 'Baby' felt like in Dirty Dancing when she told Johnny she carried a watermelon.

JC chuckled and picked one up from the plate, taking a bite of it. “Glad we agree on this subject. I'm not sure I could take care of a woman who didn't like cookies that weren't soft.”

“Josh...I didn't know you had a dorky side,” Rachel smiled wide when he blushed as he polished off his cookie.

“Don't tell anyone,” he whispered, putting an arm around her. It wasn't to be totally romantic, but JC had to admit it felt good when Rachel leaned more into him, her hair tickling his face. He felt his phone buzz and pulled it out of his pocket. “Surgeon came in and told Lance the surgery went well. He's going to see her in recovery in about thirty minutes or so and then they can come home after she gets up and gets around a little.”

“This should be interesting,” Rachel told him, seeing her phone light up with a text. It was the same as JC's and she hit reply and sent Lance a message. “I just hope they give her good drugs.”

“You mean like yours?” JC got up and took the dirty dishes back into the kitchen and grabbed the prescriptions off the counter, reading off the name and instructions. “These could put an elephant down,” he muttered, handing them to Rachel. “You want some water or more tea?”

“Water for these,” Rachel said, getting her pills out. She grinned when JC brought her back both water and tea.

“It will help you get some rest.” JC took up residence in the recliner and watched Rachel. It wasn't much, but he was enjoying taking care of her. Even if they weren't a couple he could tell she appreciated it, that he wasn't doing it to impress her or be someone he wasn't. He raised an eyebrow at her trying to get comfortable. “You look uncomfortable.”

“I hate laying on this side,” Rachel told him, getting up and sighing. Moving to the other side of the couch, she tossed a couple pillows at the end and laid that way with her injured arm on the inside. “I'll have to kick Joey off the couch in the back if he's riding on our bus. There's no way I can sleep in one of the bunks.”

“Milk that injury for all it's worth,” JC told Rachel, smirking when she gave him a look. “What? You have five guys..well..four, at your beck and call.”

“That just sounds so wrong, Josh. I know women that would do anything for that type of thing.” Rachel smiled at his snort as she closed her eyes. “I've got a song in my head,” she stated after a few quiet moments.

“What song is that?”

Rachel laughed. “Don't hate me, but it's Drowning..by the Backstreet Boys.”

JC nodded, humming part of the song. “Every time I breathe I take you in and my heart beats again. Baby I can't help it, you keep me drowning in your love. Every time I try to rise above, I'm swept away by love, I can't help it, I'm drowning in your love,” he sang, adding his own sound to the song, knowing he didn't sound like any of the Backstreet Boys. It didn't matter to him if Rachel had said 'Tiptoe Through the Tulips' Josh figured he'd sing it. As silly as it sounded when he heard Justin give Joey crap about serenading Melissa, it made his heart beat faster when Rachel turned her head and mouthed the words along with him. It took a lot for JC not to confess he was falling in love with her, getting up and pulling the blanket up around her more. His lips brushed her forehead, then he pulled back a little so he could look at her, not sure what to think.

Rachel wanted his lips on hers. She wanted more than that, but didn't utter a word, looking at Josh. She was realizing that whatever it was between her and JC wasn't going to go away. For now she had to tamper it down, hating that she couldn't tell him to keep going. “You're the best, C,” she heard herself say, watching a grin stretch across his face.

“I try,” JC shrugged, pointing a finger at her. “Now sleep Weatherly.”

“Don't be such a bossy butt, Chasez. You might order around those other four guys, but I'll take you down a peg or two.”

“When you think you're big enough, we'll have a throwdown.”

Rachel didn't open her eyes, but she smiled. “You're the quiet one. Where does all this violence come from?” she questioned, wondering if she'd get an answer.

JC leaned back in the chair once more and pulled out the recliner. “I blame today's youth. And video games.” He smiled at her laugh, grabbing the remote to watch some television. He turned it on mute and settled on SportsCenter. He was about to open his mouth when he saw that Rachel had fallen asleep. He was glad, since she needed the rest. Also he'd tried hard not to kiss her. It wouldn't be good to have Lance come home and see him kissing Rachel. His eyes went to the television and he sighed, wondering how he was going to handle being on a tour bus with his friend's girlfriend that he wanted. It was bad enough Joey was dealing with everything, but add in the other drama on the bus and Josh groaned to himself. “Welcome to NSYNC. Where it's all bullshit and the points don't matter,” he muttered, mimicking a television show.
Chapter 27 part 2 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
Here is part 2 to this chapter. :) Enjoy
"I still don't know why JC went with Lance," Joey said as the remaining three band members lounged around the bus. The outside scenery passed them by as they headed toward the next venue. After the show last night, Lance and JC left immediately for the airport, leaving Joey, Justin and Chris behind. The two N'SYNC buses convoyed down the interstate, but the front bus was empty. It had already been hashed out and settled who was on what bus with who. Lance and JC had Justin, while Chris and Joey, along with Kristen, took the second bus. When they piled on the buses last night, pulling from the arena, Justin had crashed on his bus, but in the morning decided to ride on the second bus. He didn't want to be by himself.

Chris sighed as his fingers rapidly hit the buttons on the controller in his hands his eyes never leaving the screen. Joey had been in a mood from the moment the phone call came about the girls' accident. And Chris could understand what Joey was feeling. He had been close to telling the buses to pull over and crash with Justin last night when Joey and Kristen started going at it. He just turned up the music on his headphones and tried to drown them out. He heard from Justin they had fought before the show over Joey going to California. Judging by the glares and clipped words, all was not well for the newlyweds still this morning.

"Because Dawg," Justin tapped a combination of buttons on his own controller. He tilted the controller with his character even though it didn't help. "JC has the hots for Rachel." He punched a couple more buttons and let out a whoop. "Ha! In your face!" He pumped his fist in the air, laughing as he bested Chris. He stood up and did in a little dance. "What?" He asked when he saw Joey and Chris staring him. "Oh come on, you didn't know?"

"JC likes Rachel? Lance's Rachel?" Joey asked, still trying to comprehend the new information. It still stopped him stupid. "Since when?" He told himself he was a pretty observant guy and he hadn't noticed anything. But then again, the last few months had been a colossal mess.

"She's the only Rachel around."

"Jesus, it's like a fucking soap opera around here!" Chris snapped the game off losing interest. He pushed himself up off the floor.

"We should be recording this shit," Justin said as he returned his controller to the entertainment center. He then plopped down on the couch with his feet up. "We have a gold mine here. First Melissa is dating the jerk Travis, but she's in love with Joey, her best friend, but he's dating the Socialite Kristen. Then Lance reveals that he's not only gay, but is going to be dating his sister's best friend as a cover. Of course we know what happens next; Mel and Joey get their head out of their asses and finally get together. By Thanksgiving, JC realizes he's starting to have feelings for his friend's fake girlfriend. Fast forward to New Years and we have Mel and Joey's wedding plans thwarted when Kristen comes back on scene stating that she's pregnant with Joey's baby. So the Fatone/Bass wedding plans are axed so Joey can marry his baby's Momma. This has got to be better than anything that's going on on daytime television."

"JC has feelings for Rachel?" Chris asked, picking that tidbit of information out of Justin's speech.

"You don't see it?" Justin rolled his eyes as he stared up at the older man. "God, he's so obvious. Feelings go both ways though."

"What!" Both Joey and Chris shrieked.

"I need to sit down," Chris fell down into the booth to the kitchen table. "You're telling me that not only does JC like Rachel, but she likes him in return?"

"You guys need to open your eyes. Haven't you noticed the looks, the lingering gazes, the little smiles like they are sharing a secret."

"This sounds like a damn love song." Joey grunted making a face. Love songs made him sick. He still could not make it through 'I Thought She Knew' without feeling the urge to lock himself in the bathroom and puke his guts out.

"I wouldn't be surprised if JC hasn't already written something of the sort," Justin said matter of fact. "You know he's always thinking of lyrics and music. But if all that wasn't obvious, you morons should have been clued in with the phone call. You didn't see how close he was to freaking out? Of course not," he rolled his eyes. "You definitely should have gotten it when he took off to California. There really was no reason for JC to go with Lance."

"God," Chris groaned folding his arms across the table before resting his head on them. "This is a fucking soap opera. JC is in love with Lance's cover girlfriend."

"Lance is gay?"

Three male heads snapped up at the feminine voice. Three sets of eyes landed on Kristen, who stood in the hallway leading back to bunk area, her arms crossed as she looked at the men. There was an unrecognizable look on her face. But they men knew it wouldn't bode well for any of them, including their counterparts in California.

*~*~*


"Are you fucking kidding me, Joey!" Lance yelled into his phone as he paced the living room. He barely had time to check on Rachel after getting Melissa settled into the recliner with her foot propped up before his phone had rang. He'd wanted to look over Melissa's hospital papers and what they'd been given about the accident from an officer that had come by. Now he was listening to Joey tell him what had happened while he was gone. "Why are you calling and not them?"

"I'm sorry Lance," Joey said, glaring at his two friends sitting on the couch. "I'm calling because I drew the short straw. It helped that we are best friends."

"Jesus Joey, what the hell were they thinking?" The anger coursed off him. "Did you talk to her? Tell her they were joking?"

"I talked to her yes," Joey slowly said. "But we couldn't brush it off. There was no way we could fix it. I'm sorry."

"Goddamnit," Lance cursed and snapped his phone shut. Ignoring the others in the room, he stalked through the kitchen and out onto the patio slamming the door behind him. He griped the railing, locking his elbows. He bowed his head, his eyes clenched in anger. The only people who knew he was gay were the people he trusted. The ones that he could trust not to say anything until he was ready for the world to know. And now there was a unknown thrown in the middle. Kristen now held the power over him.

"Was that slam a 'the-friend-needs-to-talk-to-him'," Rachel turned her head from being buried into the cushion after Lance stormed from the room. "Or the 'sister-needs-to-talk-to-him' slam or the 'girlfriend' slam?"

"Girlfriend," JC and Melissa said at the same time, laughing.

"Damnit."

"He's pissed. I haven't seen him this mad in a long time," Melissa said wondering what Joey had told him over the phone.

"The 'them' must have been Justin and Chris, hard to tell what they did," JC shook his head. "I can't believe they'd get into trouble and we haven't been gone a day yet.

Rachel groaned as she pushed herself up from the couch. "I actually think that was a 'friend' slam considering who it was that pissed him off. You so owe me."

JC grinned as he watched her walk from the room and out onto the patio. She closed the door much quieter than Lance did. He took a seat on the couch and leaned his head back closing his eyes. He felt he could relax for the first time since the phone call yesterday. Aside from the two stitches on her temple and her slow movements and elbow in a cast, you couldn't tell Rachel had been in a serious car accident. Walking into her room, he had been able to put his mind at ease, seeing her smiling at them. The whole flight to California his mind wouldn't turn off thinking Rachel didn't tell them the whole truth so they wouldn't worry. Or some problem would arise while they were in the air.

"She loves him," Melissa broke the silence in the room. She watched as JC's eyes shot to hers. She couldn't finger the emotion that crossed his eyes before it was gone. "But she's not in love with him. I know it doesn't look like it from where you're sitting, but it's true. If you haven't noticed by now, the Bass family has been cursed with the touchy-feely gene. Sometimes it's really great, other times, it's a pain in the ass. Unfortunately somewhere in the Weatherly family tree, and after meeting some of them I'm inclined to think it was generations and generations ago, they had the same touchy-feely gene and Rachel was cursed with it as well.

"Don't get me wrong, I like the hand holdings, hugs and snuggles. But seeing someone else do it, it can be sickening." She grinned when she saw JC smile and knew he was thinking of her and Joey, but wisely didn't say anything. She felt a pain in her chest as she thought of all the touchy-feely she and Joey participated in that wasn't in a sexual manner. Snuggling together, albeit on a couch or bed or the floor was her favorite. "They've gotten close over the months they've been dating. For a moment there I thought I was being pushed aside in the best friend category. But there is something you need to realize. Rachel and Lance both want different people. They make you think things are there but they aren't."

“A mirage," JC said giving her a look before his eyes wondered toward the patio door where Rachel and Lance stood on the other side. Talking. Holding hands. He felt a swift pang of jealousy rush through him as he watched their fingers entwine. Their bodies leaning toward each other. He wondered if they knew it happened or if it was a reflex; a side effect of being that comfortable together that they just sought each other out. Melissa had just told him they weren't in love with each other, that this was all pretend, to keep the cover Lance sought. But this was a private setting, there were no cameras around. There was no need to put on this show.

"That's why I love you, Josh," She let a small smile grace her features, feeling happy when JC returned it with on of his own. "You're forever the perfectionist with words. But I'm not the only one who loves you."

JC stood from the couch, unable to sit still any longer. He walked across the living room, staring out the front window. He rubbed a hand across his face then through his hair. "Are you saying she loves me?"

Melissa tutted and shook her head. "That is not for me to divulge. I've said enough already. She's liable to give me a matching goose egg on the other side of my head if she finds out I told you that." She bit her tongue hearing the words through her mind. And she realized that without trying to, she told him what she hadn't meant to. "Don't listen to me, I'm under the influence of medications."

JC let the smile on his face grow, his heart feeling lighter. "How do you know she wants something real?"

Melissa pushed herself up from the couch with one crutch, grimacing as weight went to her good leg and her ankle protested and she gave up. “Come sit by me JC.” Melissa waited until he was sitting down next to her. "Don't you remember the song? 'For the girl who has everything...' she sang, swaying into him, giving him a nudge. "She wants the real deal. Even if you have to keep it on the D-L."

"Right then, you sounded just like Chris," JC laughed wrapping his arm around her, pulling her into a sideways hug. "Thanks."

Melissa leaned into him, wrapping her arms around his lean frame. "I expect royalties on your next song if you write about all this." It made her ankle hurt less and it felt good to have someone hugging her.

JC chuckled but nodded, "Deal." They stood in silence at the window offering each other comfort. "Just so you know, I think Joey's an idiot."

Melissa stiffened at the mention of Joey's name. He hadn't been for from her mind since the accident and she still berated herself for looking for Joey behind Lance and JC when they came into her hospital room. She knew it was silly; knew he wouldn't be there. Why would he be there? He had a wife now; a baby on the way.

"I know he did what he thought he had to do, but..." JC's voice trailed off. "I'm sorry to bring him up Mel. I shouldn't be talking about this."

She gave him a watery smile and wiped at her tears. "It's okay JC. We can't just not mention his name anymore. He's apart of the group and he's still Lance's best friend. He's your friend."

"He is my friend and I still think he's an idiot. He didn't have to let you go." He reached up to wipe a tear away that rolled down her cheek. "He was gonna come." He heard her breath catch and he wondered if he was making the right decision. "He was freaking out when Rachel called. When Lance made plans to leave after the show he tried to go with but Kristen..."

"Yeah," Melissa sighed, blowing out a quivering breath. "I understand." JC didn't have to say it. She knew Joey didn't come because Kristen wouldn't let him and he wouldn't want to make her angry, especially while she was pregnant. "It's probably a good thing he didn't come."

"Yeah," JC echoed. His eyes once more went to Lance and Rachel as he sat there, wondering what they were talking about and he wanted the same thing with Rachel. The friend he could go to with anything.
Chapter 28 part 1 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
Enjoy. I have a couple more chapters to post before you all are caught up. Please review if you read, I love hearing what you all think. Can't believe this story has gotten so many reads. Thank you for making this so fun for me!!
Rachel stood outside the door looking at Lance. He didn't acknowledge her, but she knew he knew she was there. Sighing inwardly and she moved to stand next him. She rested her butt against the railing as she faced back toward the house. She stared at him silently.

"You get the short straw too?" Lance asked, opening his eyes to look at Rachel. His eyes flickered toward her wounds and forced himself to relax. "You should be resting."

"And I will," Rachel placed her hand over his on the railing and gave a triumphant smile when he threaded their fingers and shifted to stand in front of her. "So don't make me beg and pull teeth. What happened?"

Lance blew out a breath and stared over Rachel's head. "The guys have big mouths." He saw Rachel's eyebrow raise in question and he shook his head. "I know it's not big surprise. I know sometimes it's worse then a bunch of girls gossiping on the bus sometimes, but its never been this big."

"What were they talking about?" She squeezed his hand reassuringly.

"Us."

Rachel's face fell. 'Guess it was a 'girlfriend' slam,' she thought. "Why were they talking about us? And what did they say? And what does it matter if they were on the bus?"

JC's name was on his lips before he stifled it in time. He hadn't been as clueless as Chris when it came to his friend's feelings. Nor was he as clueless when it came to his 'girlfriend's' feelings. But he didn't think it was his place to say anything on the matter. So he fast forwarded the conversation in his mind. "They were talking about the drama surrounding us, particularly Joey and Mel and then how you were my cover."

"Oh no..." Rachel breathed his face paling as understanding donned. "You said they were on the bus?" She closed her eyes as the answer came to her without Lance having to say anything. "Kristen..."

Lance nodded, "She overheard. Joey said with the whole conversation they had, there was no way to play it off so he told her the truth."

"So she knows." Rachel stated and leaned forward resting her forehead against Lance's chest. "Damn. I don't think Joey can stop her from saying something. You know those damn friends she has."

Lance wrapped his arms around her waist, holding her lightly. "I didn't plan for anyone to know about this until I was ready for everyone to know. This is an unknown that I hadn't planned on. And I should have. I should have planned for the fact if someone let it slip."

"Don't Lance. Don't beat yourself up over it." She entwined her good arm around his back, pulling him closer to her. "It's not your fault. Not your fault."

"I don't know what to do. What can I do? Should I do nothing and see if she has a shred of decency and keeps her mouth shut? But then I'll be living each day waiting for the other shoe to drop. Should I pay her off?"

Rachel whipped her head up so fast, she barely missed knocking Lance's. "Don't even think about that. Do not give her money. That's just more ammunition."

"Well she already has the smokin' gun." Lance sighed, his shoulders dropping. "I don't know what to do."

Rachel said nothing but tightened her hold on Lance. She leaned against him, hoping to give him some sort of comfort. She had no words to offer. She wasn't sure what there was she could say. Kristen was a unknown. None of the guys trusted her, but she was Joey's wife and they had to tolerate her. But she definitely held a major piece of news that could create a lot of chaos for the band and her included.

"You were my only choice to do this with. The cover," Lance spoke softly. "There isn't anyone else I would trust with something like this. I don't think I really ever thought about the sacrifice you made to do this for me."

"There was no sacrifice, Lance. I wanted to do this. I knew what I was getting into." Rachel lifted her head meeting Lance's green ones. "And I would do it again." She told him firmly. "Are we calling it quits? You kicking me to the curb? Because if you are you have lousy timing."

Lance shook his head and sent her a smile. "Aren't you worried you're gonna miss the one while you're stuck pretending with me?"

His words stopped her for moment. When they had first started this charade she wasn't looking to the anyone, let alone 'the one'. But somehow, someway her feelings sneaked up on her; for someone who had been around all along. But how could she just leave Lance to pursue her own chance at happiness? He needed her help, he trusted her to be his cover. How could such an easy decision not so long ago, now seem like a not so easy decision?

"You know that I love you right?" Rachel countered but she couldn't forget his words. She didn't know how long she would be playing Lance's girlfriend. And what if during that time she was pretending the man she was meant to be with crossed paths with hers and she didn't know it. What then? Because sooner than later, the charade would end and Lance would need a cover anymore. "Aside from Mel, I consider you one of my best friends."

A soft smile played on Lance's lips and he gave her a hug. "I know, Rachel. You are without a doubt my best friend... of the female variety," he laughed. "And I love you too. And that's why I don't want to be the reason you miss out."

Rachel stared at Lance, her mind rolling, searching. "Do you know something I don't? Why are you bringing this up all of a sudden? Are you trying to protect me in case Kristen starts something about our relationship? Because while I appreciate the sentiment I don't need it." She watched him for another moment. "No. There's something else. You do know something. What is it?"




Lance took a deep breath and brought Rachel to his arms. “I'm not blind, Rachel. And let me just get this out before you try and interrupt me. I know the other four guys as well as I know myself. And I'm not going to be the reason you don't see what happens with you and Josh. He doesn't just open up to anyone. Or hop on a plane for just anyone. I...” he took a breath. “I don't want to lose you, Rachel. I'm not saying I want to break up. I'm not sure what Kristen will do, and I'm not ready to come out yet. But,” he held up his hand, “don't lie to me and tell me there's no feelings between you and JC. We've been through too much for that.”

Rachel's eyes cut quickly to JC and Melissa talking. She went to look at Lance's face and sighed. “I like him. I mean, I think I do. He doesn't know how I feel, I'm not even sure how I feel,” her voice trailed off and she shook her head slightly. “I'm sorry,” she whispered, feeling ashamed.

Lance's mind was trying to go in two different directions. Part of him wanted to be upset. Rachel had said she loved him, wanted to be his girlfriend even if it was just an act until he was ready to come out. That small bit of jealousy went through him until he realized that Rachel was confessing to him that she liked someone. Someone who would-and could- love her like he wanted to. Even better it was a guy he considered a brother. “I've seen the way he looks at you when you don't think anyone else sees. He likes you, Rachel.”

“But I love you,” Rachel told Lance. “I'm scared...Of letting him like me. I'm scared for you,” Rachel's mind had started going through what was going to happen to Lance if Kristen let it be known that he was gay. Each scenario that played out in her mind was worse than the last. She hated that for him, the negative light that would be cast on his family. Especially since it was widely publicized that Lance had grown up in a church going home and now he was found out to be gay. As well as the drama surrounding anyone associated with the group.

“I'll be okay. We'll be okay,” Lance leaned in and kissed her lips. “I need you to keep being my girlfriend for now...but...I don't want you to hide from JC. There's not many men like him.” Lance smiled as he watched JC and Melissa on the couch and talk, both of them smiling. “I want you to talk to him soon.”

Rachel squeezed Lance's hand, leaning her body more into his. “I will. I just..I'm sad. I didn't set out looking for someone. And I thought if you found someone, I could let you go easy. I mean, this was all for show.”

“The feelings weren't, Rachel. I feel so genuinely blessed that you are in my life like this. Besides, the sex was out of this world. Who else can say they turned a gay man straight for a night?”

Rachel chuckled at the grin on his face, reaching up to pull his face towards hers for a quick kiss. “So..we're still a united front. Kristen won't say a damn word. I'll have lawyers so far up her ass, if she coughs, my grandpa's two thousand dollar pen made from the bark of some foreign tree will come out her nose. She's not going to intimidate you. Or me..or anyone else.”

Lance led her to the door, grabbing the handle before stopping. “You'll talk to Josh. You aren't hiding behind me. You wouldn't let me fade into the wood work if there was some guy I thought I liked, would you?”

“Hell no, Bass. I'd make you get all handsomely sexied up and shove you out there as man candy.”

“You've been spending entirely too much time with my sister,” Lance told Rachel, pulling the door open and going into the kitchen. “Man candy...” he muttered. “Is this what you girls talk about when we men aren't around?”

“I'm not telling our secrets. I don't want to know what you guys talk about. Actually I know what you talk about, at least four fifths of you,” Rachel smiled at Lance, trying not to worry. “You won't cave in to Kristen right?” she asked him once more, her voice in a harsh whisper, her facade cracking just a little.

“No. And I don't want you to worry. Joey won't let her do anything.”

Rachel nodded, trying to smile for him. She blushed a little when she heard Melissa yelp and yell at JC. “We better get in there before she jabs one of her crutches in his foot. How do you explain that?”

“As long as he can still sing, I don't care.” Lance caught the slight blush on Rachel's face and knew as much as it scared him, he was going to get her and JC to admit their feelings for one another. At least someone on the NSYNC circus deserved to be happy.
Chapter 28 part 2 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
The end of Chapter 28. Enjoy!
“You're not serious,” Joey asked his wife, trying to get through his head what she'd just asked him. “I'm not doing that.” He was dressed in his usual concert attire, a t-shirt and jeans, knowing he would change during songs. His hand went to his jeans pocket and the open pack of cigarettes in there. Justin had given him his last couple after he bought a new pack. Joey knew it was hell on his voice, but he was desperate.

Kristen was fluffing her hair, smiling at Joey from the mirror. “You have a choice. Her...or Lance.”

“That's not fucking fair, Kris! You can't blackmail me,” Joey growled, his blood pressure going up. They had a few minutes before they had to head to sound check.

Kristen raised an eyebrow at him. “It's not blackmail. I'm your wife. If I just happen to let it slip that one of the guys in the biggest pop group ever happens to like guys. Are you really going to let that happen? All so you can talk to some girl..your ex. You must not care about your friends as much as you claim to.”

Joey's eyes narrowed and he pursed his lips. Somewhere inside of him, his heart turned black. It wanted to quit beating, but that didn't happen as Joey took his phone out. “You want her gone? Separated from me?” he watched his wife nod. He made a great display of deleting Melissa's name out of his contact list, even going so far as to block her number. And if that wasn't enough, Joey blocked incoming text messages from her as well. “Happy?” he asked, seeing the two names that had been before and after her name now next to each other. Joey hated that he wouldn't get to explain to Melissa, wanting to take his ring off and throw it as hard as he could.

“Thing is, she can't talk to you either. You'll have to give her a message through one of the other guys. Justin could tell her. Something like you just don't feel that it's in your best interest if the two of you keep in contact anymore.”

Joey nodded numbly. Justin wouldn't understand. “Anything else?” he asked, knowing it was the wrong thing to say as Kristen smiled.

“Make it sound like it was your idea.”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

JC glanced over at Rachel, wishing he didn't have to leave. “You're still coming on tour right?” he asked, pulling her in gently for a hug. He tried to not be obvious, keeping it looking like it was just between friends. They were friends after all, seeing Lance and Melissa talking about something, their voices hushed.

“I'll be there in a week and a half. Think you'll make it til then?” Rachel's heart stammered as she saw his face light up like a little kid. “Don't smile like that, Josh,” she whispered. It was hard enough to keep up pretenses now that she knew Lance wouldn't hate her if she liked JC.

“Smile like what?” he asked, pulling away enough to give her a searching look. He was about to say something else when his phone started ringing. “Damn piece of shit,” he muttered, hating technology sometimes as he looked at who it was. “Talk to me, Chris,” JC's eyes widened as he listened. “We're getting on a plane in less than an hour. Don't go anywhere. Hell, go to the fucking arena. Don't go look for Joey. WHAT?” he yelled, making the three of them jump. “What do you mean they're both gone? Kirkpatrick if you're fucking with me, I will kill you and mail your lying tongue to that girl who wrote you that ungodly letter!” he listened a few moments later and shut his phone. “We have to go. Now.”

“What happened? Where's Joey?” Melissa asked, not sure how to feel. She was hurting and trying to deal with everything and now add this in.

“Apparently Fatone told the guys he was going for a quick walk around the hotel. Justin went with him and now they can't be found. Security didn't go with them because they were just walking down the hallway and around the corner and back. On our floor.”

“Shit,” Lance cursed, hugging his sister and then Rachel. “We need to get to the airport. We'll call you as soon as we know something.” He kissed her lips and leaned in to Rachel where his sister couldn't hear. “I wouldn't say this normally, but drug her up.”

Rachel bit her lip and nodded, kissing him once more and then hugging JC, holding on to him a bit tighter and longer. “Be careful,” she told him, not missing the brush of his fingers along her jawline before the two of them left to catch a cab. She sat down next to Melissa, watching her friend frown deeper as she messed with her phone. “What's wrong?” She watched Melissa send off a text and shut her phone, a worried look coming to Melissa's face.

“It says my text is blocked.”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
“You're a mean hearted bastard,” Justin spit out blood where Joey's fist had connected with Justin's lip. He returned the gesture with fervor.

Joey tasted metal from the blood on his lip and raised his fists again. He and Justin had went out for a smoke and were now holed up in an empty conference room down one of the back hallways of the hotel. “Fuck you, Timberlake.”

“Fuck me? Fuck me...You tell me you're not talking to the one person who has been there for you through all this bullshit. And you want me to tell her because you don't want to be the one to say it. And then you tell me 'Fuck you'?” Justin sneered at Joey, popping him another good one in the side of the head. “Why should I tell her? Why can't you scrape up your cojones and tell her?”

Joey took the blow and figured he'd have to doctor himself up a bit before the concert He felt his phone vibrate and ignored it. Then Justin's phone rang. He closed his eyes, knowing the ring tone.

“Speaking of the devil...” Justin, pulled his phone out of his pocket and answered it. “Chica de mi vida,” he listened to Melissa ask him about Joey, then what they were doing. “Oh, we just had to have a moment to ourselves, Bass. He's right here...” Justin's eyes narrowed at Joey. “He doesn't want to talk to you.” Justin swallowed hard, listening to her take that information in. He had no idea what was going on, but he wasn't going to let Melissa suffer anymore from Joey. She deserved that much. “Listen, chica...Joey thinks it will be better on the both of you if you didn't talk anymore. He asked me if I'd tell you, so I am.” Justin flipped Joey off. “No, he didn't even seem upset about it. He just thought that it seemed suspicious if the two of you were always talking and he was married. Press and all that...I know. I know it is, but he just thought it was easier to stay away from you.”

Joey stilled at the lie Justin was telling, shaking his head emphatically. He listened until Justin hung up. “What the hell did you tell her that for?” he roared, his fist connecting with Justin's jaw. “That was a fucking lie, Justin!”

Justin was smaller than Joey, but he had Joey on the floor and cutting off his airway, his nose touching Joey's. “You. Are.A, Piece.Of.Shit,” he ground out, smacking Joey's head hard on the floor with each word. He squeezed harder and watched tears come to Joey's eyes as he gasped for oxygen. “I was saving her the misery of you hurting her anymore. You wanted out of her life, I just made it so you'll never have to worry about her again. Don't fucking talk to me, dawg. I don't want to hear a word you have to say. If the hotel catches on fire, I'm not saving your ass. You're not fuckin worth it.”

Joey saw stars as Justin slammed his head again and he gulped in air when Justin let him breathe, listening to his footfalls fade. Joey let out a gut wrenching sob. He'd thought he was done breaking Melissa's heart, but it seemed to keep happening. And he was the one who did it all. No one else was to blame. At least that is how it seemed to everyone around him. He got to his knees and sat there, not sure of what to do or think. He thought of the reasons he was doing what he was doing. It seemed awful to question, but in his mind, Joey wondered momentarily if a child was worth it. The thought of holding and loving something small and so helpless that would depend on him for everything it needed. He knew the answer was yes, but he still hated himself. He didn't want to think about what his friends and family would say. And he didn't even want to think about what Melissa was feeling in California. It made his heart hurt as he got up and went back upstairs, listening to the complaints of security and management for him and Justin sneaking off, asking what happened to his face. He gave some bullshit answer and threaded his fingers in with Kristen's. He'd need more time than this to process everything, frowning a little when Chris's eyes met his and narrowed, watching Justin nod slightly. If he was a betting man, he'd place a wager that he was the kid on the playground that was going to get the shit stomped out of them by the other kids for picking on one of their own.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Rachel carefully untangled herself from her best friend, thankful she hadn't woken up. Two hours had passed since Justin had broken the news and if Rachel could have reached through to phone and gotten a hold of Joey, he'd be the next one in the hospital. The worst part was the look on Melissa's face when she retold the words to Rachel. It was like reality had finally hit. It was a good thing Melissa had a cast on her ankle because Rachel figured every picture with Joey in it would have been broken if she could have gotten up and to them in the next few moments. She'd drugged Melissa up at Lance's request and it was like her friend was drunk, sobbing over Joey. She'd held Melissa as she cried, letting her eventually cry herself to sleep.

Now Rachel sat in the recliner, the television still on Sports Center. She grabbed the remote and flipped the channel to where Roseanne was on. The characters went across the screen and her mind wandered. Joey had been concerned that morning about Melissa, so why would he decide he couldn't talk to her. That bothered Rachel. For as long as she'd known Joey, he'd always been that friend who was unquestionably loyal. His personality made him that way. Leaving him and Melissa in a room of people was dangerous. They'd come home with new friends every time. And if Joey let you into his life it was hard for him to just shut that off. Rachel's head hurt from thinking about it. Her phone hadn't quit blowing up as well, calls from her parents and grandfather. The eldest Weatherly assured her that he had things covered for at least the next week so she could rest and not worry about work. However, he'd asked if she could pop in on his businesses in Los Angeles before she left to meet up with the guys. Her parents hadn't spoken about work, just a mirage of questions about if she was alright and how Melissa was. Rachel was glad she'd called them before she'd called the guys and assured them that they didn't need to come out. That was all on her mind, as well as what she was going to do with the situation between her and Josh.

Fingering her text messages, she scrolled down to where it popped up 'J. Chasez'. She had an unread message and she hit it to read.

'Think we can call those Backstreet guys and borrow one of their guys? Should have told them screw it and stayed in California...Think they would miss me? ;)'

'Nah. :) You'd have to watch Roseanne with me though. Is it that bad?' Rachel asked, frowning. She hadn't heard from Lance since they'd landed and she wondered what was going on. She'd let him know about Melissa and that she hoped he popped Joey for her.

'Tonight won't be pretty' JC replied to her, then the phone buzzed again. 'Wish you were here. Joey's not talking to any of us and his lip and eye look like he went a few rounds in a boxing match. Justin took a good one to the lip as well. Press having a field day.'

Rachel wasn't sure what to say back, sitting there staring at the television. Everything in her best friend's life seemed to be going haywire. She knew when it had started, when Kristen had come in New Year's Eve and announced she was pregnant. After that the world had gone crazy. Rachel let a tear slip down, not bothering to wipe it away. She wasn't a real praying person, but she did take a moment to say a quick prayer up for her friends.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^**

“I just don't understand, why you running from a good man baby why you wanna turn your back on love...,” Justin sang, casting a glare over at Joey. He was still pissed off. What Justin didn't understand was how Lance could still talk to Joey after what he'd done to the other man's little sister. If it had been his sister, Joey would have been lucky to be able to walk around on both legs. He focused on ending the song and harmonizing. The audience went crazy and the five men went to change. “I don't see how you can stand next to him and sing,” Justin muttered to Lance, the mics off.

“Don't worry about it. It's our job...I'll deal with Joey later,” Lance replied, getting ready to go back out.

Joey heard voices and figured he was being talked about. After he and Justin traded jabs, they'd all ridden down to the arena in stony silence. The sound check minus JC and Lance had been quiet, so unlike the usual horsing around. Even Chris didn't crack jokes, the rehearsal taking a mere twenty minutes instead of an hour. He felt a slight push and looked over his shoulder to see JC pushing him towards the opening of the stage


Joey flipped him the bird as the audience started screaming again when the jumbo tron came to life as they walked out. He could smile for the fans, he figured. At least give them that much. They came to see him smile and sing and dance. It would be the best acting he'd ever done. It was good practice for the rest of his life.
Chapter 29 part 1 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
Real life caught up with me. This has been sitting...but heeeere we go again on this NSYNC merry go round. Enjoy!! Thank you so much for making this a featured story! You all rock!
Rachel let the cab driver put the last of her bags in the back of the taxi before turning to Melissa. She smiled at her, pulling her in for a one armed hug. “You sure you don't want me to stay longer?” she asked once more, listening to Melissa sigh heavily. The last week had been a trying one, and Rachel was worried about her friend being alone. However she also knew that Melissa didn't want to be babysat.

“I'm fine, Weatherly. Besides, you have some hot guys waiting on you,” Melissa smiled, looking over Rachel after she pulled back. It was a wonder to her how she could look so put together in just a t-shirt and jeans, her hair and make up done. Not a lot, just the right touches to make it look like she was wearing more than she was. “I could have driven you in that piece of shit,” she looked over Rachel's shoulder to the parking spot next to the taxi. The insurance company had sent her a Ford Focus until they got the check cleared for her vehicle.

“You can't drive with a cast on, Mel. And besides, you hate that car.” Rachel hugged her again. “I'll call you when I land in Seattle,” she told her, going to catch up with the tour in Washington. “Call me if you need anything.”

“I will,” her friend promised, waving to her after she'd gotten in the vehicle. Melissa watched Rachel leave and hobbled back into her apartment. She stood just inside the threshold a minute after the door closed and sighed heavily. Tears pricked her eyes and for the first time in a long time she felt alone. Her eyes fell on the pictures that were sitting there. Rachel had taken out the ones of her and Joey, telling her that it wasn't fair to have to look at him every day. Putting her weight on one of the crutches, she went up to the guest room and flipped the light on. The box was sitting next to the closet and she dug a picture out and smiled, letting a tear drop. Her mind screamed at her, telling her that Joey wasn't hers, that he'd hurt her, written her off as the past. Melissa stared at the picture of them smiling and gingerly sat down against the wall and put her head in her hands and sobbed. No one was there to tell her she couldn't or would admonish her for crying over Joey. She could hear Rachel's voice in her head telling her that Joey didn't deserve her tears. And Justin's calling him a stupid motherfucker. What hurt the most was that Melissa still cared, even if she was heartbroken.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^**^*^*^*^*^*^*

“We're at the arena taking a break between sound check and meet and greet,” Lance told Rachel as he sat in the dressing room. JC was sitting on the opposite end of the couch from him, looking down at his notebook and tapping something out with his pen. Justin and Chris were playing a video game and Joey was...Lance looked around and didn't see Joey. It didn't surprise him. His best friend had become scarce once it had been found out that he'd quit speaking to Melissa. The only time Joey and Lance had really interacted was on stage, and even then it was just for the show. Every time Lance had tried to find out what happened, Joey would just snarl and tell him to mind his own business. “What did you say?” he said, snapping him out of his thoughts when he heard his full name from his girlfriend's lips.

“I asked if you were ready to see me,” Rachel said, smiling at the fact she was early. She'd gotten bumped to an earlier flight than she was supposed to have. It was going to be a surprise to him, since they weren't expecting her until it was almost time for the show to start.

“Of course. More than ready,” Lance assured her, smiling and pushing himself up off the couch. “You'll be here in about two hours right? Enough time to come backstage and give me a kiss,” his grin widened as he thought about her, going out of the room they were in and down to the room marked catering.

“Well, you see...I sort of left out the fact that I'm in Seattle already. So in about, oh, ten minutes I should be there. Let the smooching begin,” Rachel told him, laughter in her voice.

Lance's voice dropped a little as he pulled the phone closer. “Would you rather be kissing me or someone else?” he teased, listening to Rachel suck in a breath.

“I plead the fifth,” Rachel finally said, smiling. “I know you might be okay with it all, it's just...I'm still taking it all in.” Rachel wasn't about to admit her thoughts were usually split between the two men. That she thought about Lance and then Josh more than she cared to tell him.

“Fine. Just remember what we talked about. Hurry up, I wanna see you,” Lance told her, hanging up his cell phone. He grabbed a bottled water and twisted the cap off and took a drink. He'd had a week and a half to think about Rachel and JC being together. While it made him wonder about himself, he couldn't deny that he liked the thought of them together. He could trust Josh.

Rachel paid the cab driver and made sure her hard card was around her neck before turning to the back of the arena. The fans weren't allowed back there, where the tour buses were and her eyes narrowed as she spotted someone leaning against one of the walls. As she got closer, her gaze hardened until she was standing in front of Joey, watching him inhale on a cigarette. “That's a nasty habit. Just like you telling my best friend you wanted nothing to do with her. Actually you didn't tell her because you weren't man enough.”

Joey dropped the butt of the smoke and lit another, knowing he wasn't going to go anywhere as long as Rachel was talking to him. And truth be told, he wanted to hurt. He wanted to know how much he'd hurt Melissa so that he could make himself keep going. “Tell me how you really feel, Rachel...What happened?” he asked, mirth in his voice.

Rachel reached back and slapped Joey across the face as hard as she could with her left hand, her whole body turning and her hand throbbed with the blow. “You bastard,” Rachel hissed, a satisfied smirk on her face when a large red welt appeared. The only part that disturbed her was that Joey didn't look angry. He looked relieved in a way, like he knew he deserved whatever she dished out. “I had to drug her up to get her to stop crying. And when I couldn't do that anymore, I had to listen to her ask my why you would do that. You wanted her gone from your life...I'm glad she is. You aren't anything like the man I thought you were. I wouldn't let you near her.”

Joey just nodded and shrugged, taking another drag off the cigarette. He hated smoking, but he wasn't about to take up drinking or drugs. This was the least of the evils and it was something to do to keep his nerves from fraying completely. “I guess it's a good thing then. I'm not near her and she doesn't have to worry about me.”

“Unlike you, she doesn't just quit worrying about her friends. Or caring. Even if you don't deserve another thought from her,” Rachel spat. “So while you're living your wonderful life, just know that my friend is all alone out in California. I hope you're happy with that.”

Joey watched her leave and leaned his head back on the wall and closed his eyes. He could picture Melissa's face as if she was standing there, her voice. When he opened his eyes again, he saw Kristen standing there, a smug look on her face. “You know that's not healthy,” she told him, watching Joey flick ashes off his cigarette.

“Neither is eating food you buy, but somehow I manage to choke it down,” Joey replied, taking a long drag and then putting his cigarette out and stepping away to blow the smoke away from her. He allowed Kristen to run her arm through his, shoving his hands in his pockets. “Rachel's here.”

“Oh good, that means another girl to hang out with,” Kristen told him as they walked along. She watched Joey's demeanor change, relaxing as they got closer to the door, loosening up. “She has to like me. I'm part of the NSYNC family now.”

Joey suppressed the urge to tell her that she wasn't a part of it, but he just smiled and nodded. “Rachel is her own person. She'll decide how she feels. I don't think you should push it, Kris.” It would have been easier just to tell his wife that Rachel would probably rather put a red hot poker in her eye than be friends with Kristen, but he could only handle so much and he was close to snapping. “When do we get to have an ultrasound?” he asked, changing the subject as he held the door open for her.

“A couple of weeks. I'm flying to Pittsburgh to my doctor,” she told him, watching as he nodded agreeably. “I'll try and make sure it's on a day you can fly up there.”

Joey raised an eyebrow at her. “We'll be on the east coast in a couple of weeks. So it's not a big deal,” he put his hand on the small of her back and walked with her down to the dressing room. He smiled and kissed her softly on the lips. “See you in a little bit,” he said, hearing Justin call out his name, aggravated he was holding them up.

“You smell like cigarettes,” Kristen made a face and pushed Joey away, glad when he turned and went to catch up with the guys. Her hand went to her stomach and she pulled out her phone, looking at her messages. Other than being on a bus and dealing with her husband's moods, everything was still wonderful, at least in her way of thinking. One less thing to worry about since Lance's sister had moved. Her phone chirped and she smiled, replying to her sister about something to do with the baby. It wouldn't be but a few more months they would be a family.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
“Uptown girl, you've been living in your uptown world,” Chris sang to Rachel as they goofed off for sound check, smiling at her blush.

“Listen boy, I don't wanna see you let a good thing slip away,” Justin sang, another Billy Joel song coming to him as the other four guys harmonized with him. “Tell her about it, tell her everything you feel, give her every reason to accept that you're for real...”

Lance pulled Rachel to him as they waltzed across the stage over to where the band was, the rest of the guys following. “We missed you Rach,” he said, watching as JC sat down at the piano.

Rachel felt a blush creep on her cheeks as she was deposited on the seat next to him, watching him pick out notes on the piano, giving her that grin that made her weak in the knees. His true smile that made his eyes crinkle up. He winked at her and he looked at the rest of the guys, giving them a nod. They switched songs and and JC's voice floated across the notes, without the aid of microphones.

“You drive a pretty car, you know how fine you are and nobody needs to say it. They love the clothes you wear, they compliment you and I just love the way you play...but the only thing you dream of money can't buy for you, and in my dreams I'll make your wish come true...” Josh winked at Rachel before the other four voices joined in the chorus. He was putting his heart out there, singing this song to her. He'd hoped doing the other songs in fun would make it seem not so serious. He'd never been this nervous before and he smiled a little at her.

“Gotta listen to your heart and not your mind,” JC sang, reaching over for Rachel's hand. Neither of them noticed that the other four had moved off until they looked up and noticed that they were over talking to some of the guys in the band.

“That was wonderful,” Rachel told JC, looking at her hand in his, her heart trying to jackrabbit out of her chest. “Mel always teased me with that song,” she gave a shy smile and finally lifted her head so her eyes could meet his. She couldn't remember when they were so blue and she swallowed hard. “Josh...I can't..”

“Just tell me there's a chance, Rachel,” JC whispered. “That's all I want to hear. That we'll do what we have to do for now,” his voice took a hard edge to it, like he was holding back emotions. “If I don't have a chance...I'd rather just know.”

“I'm in love with you,” Rachel blurted out. It wasn't loud, but she shocked herself, turning away to where her back was to him. She frowned, hating herself for letting her feelings come out so fast. She didn't even know if he felt the same way.

JC sat there, not sure of what to say or do. He was expecting Rachel to tell him to back off a little maybe, or flirt, not say she was in love with him. A smile spread across his face that made him wonder if he'd gone crazy. “I...” he looked over to where the guys were, then back at Rachel. JC was scared to admit his feelings. “I'm in love with you too,” he said softly, looking out into the arena. “I just don't know how we're supposed to do this. I mean....I'm not supposed to love a girl I can't have.”

Rachel watched the emotions play across his face and felt bad. He was trying to do the right thing. He didn't want to make her leave Lance, but at the same time, this was a chance to see if she could trust a man with her heart. “No one said you couldn't have me, C. It's just complicated.” She looked around at the potential eyes and ears, knowing that this wasn't the ideal place to keep the conversation going. Even them being like they were might raise a couple eyebrows.

Josh's fingers ran over hers before going to pluck the ivory keys softly. “Complicated,” he gave her a chuckle before turning back to the piano, “that's the nice way of saying fucked up.” His eyes met hers. “Here's to us then,..to the beginning of us that no one knows about. We can finish this discussion later in private. Away from all this,” he waved his hand towards the guys and stage crew still setting up.

Rachel knew that wasn't quite true, since she figured the other four men had some inkling of an idea, but to the public in general it would be a secret. One she would be more than willing to keep. She gave him a nod and a smile, suppressing a giggle as she watched him get up and wander over to where the rest of the guys were.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“So, what are you doing?” Rachel asked, listening to the noises on the other side of the phone.

“I'm up dancing, Rach,” Melissa said dryly, standing and looking in her fridge. “No, I'm leaning on my fridge door looking at lots of food I don't want to stand here and make. What are you doing? Shouldn't you be hanging out with my brother and trying not to make goo goo eyes at Josh?”

“I don't do that,” Rachel blushed anyways, watching the crew set up the rest of the stage, sitting on the front row. “It will be weird without you here.” She listened to the door shut and then the noise of a crutch smacking the floor.

“You'll be alright. You can hang out with Kristen.”

Rachel tried not to laugh at the gagging sound her friend made while talking about the other woman. “You're horrible. Did you find something to eat?” she questioned, listening to the harrumph and cursing.

“No. I will later. I think I'm going to try to sleep some,” Melissa said, wanting an excuse to get off the phone.

“You better eat, Mel. You have to eat to take your meds...” she frowned, now wishing she hadn't left so quick.

“Rachel, I'll eat. I promise. I'll order Chinese or something,” Melissa told her, suppressing the urge to roll her eyes. “Have fun at the concert. Tell Chris and Justin hi.”

“I will. I'll call you later. I have news,” Rachel smiled once more at what she and JC had shared, saying her goodbyes and hung up the phone. She wandered back to the dressing room, watching the guys get ready. Well, everyone but Joey. “Where's Joey?” she asked Justin, frowning at his shrug.

“Fuck if I know. He rarely stays still, chica. I think his new hobby is seeing how many smokes he can have between now and the show. I wouldn't have fucking gave him the first one, ya know?” Justin threw an arm around Rachel. “Besides, you got enough men to worry about, right? Aren't four of us good enough?” he sent her a wink and hugged her lightly, not brushing against her arm.

“I'm doing good with just one, Timberlake. I'm not a groupie,” Rachel leaned on him a moment. She smiled when JC walked by them and told them to quit grab assing.

“You're just jealous, Chasez,” Justin told him, chuckling.

“Be nice to him,” Rachel said, poking Justin hard. “I'd hate to have to mess up your pretty hair.”

Justin jumped and looked at Rachel. “You're damn mean, woman. Even without Mel here. This tour just got whack.”

“Quit bitching choir boy. Get ready so I can see you sing and shake your money maker,” Rachel patted Justin's cheek and smirked before going to sit down beside Lance. “I got Justin stirred up, my work here is done,” she said, smiling at the other man as he glared in her direction and flipped her off.
Chapter 29 part 2 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
Part 2 of this chapter. My muses seem to getting longer winded. LOL
Rachel stood at the front of the stage in the pit. Her ear plugs were in and the screams still made her ears ring. The concert had been wonderful, even Justin's almost seven minute solo so the guys could get changed and the set could be done different for the next round of songs. They'd sang all the songs from the Celebrity album and now it was on to some of the old ones, fan favorites and some of their personal favorites.

“Have you ever had someone come into your life that was your everything?” Justin asked the audience as girls screamed louder as he worked the crowd, going first from one side and then the other, picking up a water bottle and getting a drink, grabbing a towel and wiping his face with it. “You have,” he smiled, waving to a girl in the audience. “So being a guy, you might ask yourself, Justin..what would you do if she got away? If she got away, was it because she didn't know how you felt? Or that you thought she knew...”

Rachel heard the harmonies and smiled, tears coming to her eyes. She mouthed the words and caught Lance's eye and gave him a small wave, receiving a grin in return. Her eyes met JC's and she gave him a smile, getting a wink.

The five men got to the stools that were set out and sat in the usual arrangement. Joey was anchoring the end, then it was Justin, Chris, JC and then Lance. Justin started off the song and it was all going well until it was Joey's turn to sing.

Joey sat there, one of his legs propped up on the stool rail the other foot on the floor. He knew the words to the song, knew he should be singing but his emotions threatened to get the best of him. The mistake he'd made was the look at Rachel, an empty seat next to her. He swallowed hard, opening his mouth but the words didn't come. Every other time they'd sang 'I Thought She Knew', the audience had been full of fans, strangers. Now with Rachel standing there, it hit Joey full force. He swallowed and felt like he was in a vacuum, the crowd screaming sounding far away.

“Joe, you okay?” Justin asked, trying to smile and not panic since he was the one sitting next to the man. Joey's eyes met his and he sucked in a breath. It was like Joey had slipped away and they were looking at someone else. Justin looked helplessly at the other three as Joey still sat there with a glazed look in his eyes.

Rachel watched the men on stage and held her breath, not sure of what was going on. The band kept looping the song and she knew it would only be a matter of minutes before someone came to see about Joey from backstage. She'd suspected something when Joey gave her a look and then his face pinched up before the panic stricken look had happened.

“I...” Joey said, swallowing hard, his thoughts a mess and he shook his head. “I can't do this tonight,” his gaze went to Rachel and then looked over at the other four men on stage with him. His voice sounded raspy. “Justin asked before the song started what a guy would do if she got away...” he licked his lips and closed his eyes. “I had a best friend. A best girl friend that isn't...” The rest of the words wouldn't come and he shook his head. “This was her favorite song and it hit me all tonight.” Joey stood up and looked at the crowd, not caring that a couple tears had slipped down his cheeks. “A heart full of words left unspoken, now that we're through....”

JC turned to look at Lance, his eyebrow raised as Joey sang. It was better than he'd sang all night or in the last two weeks. When the song was over, Joey was the first one to leave the stage, all but sprinting towards the dressing rooms.

By the other time the rest of NSYNC had caught up to him, they heard the fan on in the bathroom but it couldn't cover up the sound of Joey being sick.

“What happened?” Chris asked Kristen who was sitting there reading a fashion magazine.

“He ran in here and slammed the bathroom door and locked it. I hope whatever it is, I don't get it.”

The sound of Joey heaving again made the four of them look at each other silently, then over at Kristen.

“You're going to check on him, right?” JC asked, concerned that Kristen didn't seem to care that her husband was in the bathroom getting sick.

“I don't do the whole throw up thing,” she replied. “It's nasty.”

“Then what are you going to do with a baby?” Lance asked her, going over to the door and knocking on it softly. “Babies get sick and do things...”

“What?” Joey croaked, his throat burning, hearing voices talking outside the bathroom door. “I'm fine..just some stomach thing.” He hoped the lie would work, turning on the sink to get some water to wash his mouth out. He splashed some water on his face and wiped it off with a paper towel, balling it up and tossing it in the trash. He opened the door and stood there looking at his friends. “I'm fine,” he said, ignoring the glances. “I'll be back before the bus leaves in a few hours.”

“You can't just go with no security, man!” Justin yelled after him, then looked at Kristen and the other guys. “Does anyone know what he's going to do?” he asked, running a hand through his hair.

“He was calling tattoo places earlier today...” Kristen said, putting her magazine on the couch. “You guys need to calm down about Joey,” her mouth slid into a smile. “He's fine.”

“I call the bullshit flag,” Rachel said, having come in the door when Kristen said Joey was fine. “Anyone of us that really knows Joey knows that this is not like him.” She folded her arms and glared at Kristen. The woman made her sick, that she had Joey's last name and there was nothing she could do about it.

“Well maybe you just think you knew him. People change,” Kristen told Rachel, letting her eyes wander over Rachel's designer clothes and giving her a real smile. “You have some good taste in clothes.” She got up to go stand by the other blonde.

“Yeah, I buy them with my own money,” Rachel spat, taking a step towards Kristen. “You're not fooling me. I'm not your friend.”

“Yes, but I'm yours...” Kristen said quickly, putting a hand on Rachel's shoulder. “I'm not looking for this to get nasty...” her eyes met the blonde's and she gave her a wink. “I'd like us to try and get along. For the guys' sakes...”


Rachel bit back a venomous spew. It was worse than what she thought. Kristen had not only Lance, but her as well. Joey was in his own personal Hell and she knew it couldn't keep things from happening once word got out about everything. “You breathe a word and I will own your life and everything in it. If I go down, so do you.” Rachel's smile bested Kristen's and she watched the other blonde's falter slightly. “I could buy and sell NSYNC like we were clothes shopping. So all I want you to do is worry about your husband.”

The four men watched the women talk, each of them praying it wouldn't turn into a cat fight and relieved when Kristen backed off. Rachel Weatherly had brought out her claws and wasn't about to let them be torn apart. Which was all fine and good, other than the fifth member was missing.

“You think Joe's okay?” Lance whispered, his eyes going from his friends to Rachel.

“We'll give him an hour and call. I think he left his heart on the stage,” JC said, blowing out a breath. Tonight looked to be a long night on both buses holding the core of NSYNC.

“No dawg. It's in California.”

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“You look lost,” Lance told Rachel, sitting down beside her as the bus rolled towards their next destination. Salt Lake City, Utah. He, Rachel and JC had gotten on the bus and breathed a sigh of relief. Joey had come back just as they done eating dinner and ambled onto the bus he was on after smoking a cigarette not really talking to anyone. “Wanna talk?” he wound his fingers through hers, watching her face change, her eyes meeting his.

Rachel sighed and leaned on Lance's shoulder. “You don't think Mel will hurt herself do you? I mean, on purpose...” her voice trailed off and she shook her head quickly. “Don't mind me, I'm overthinking. Just with Joey freaking out and your sister in California by herself...”

“Mom and Dad are worried too,” Lance told her, “speaking of my parents, I need to call them before they go to bed. And JC's up at the front table, scribbling away in his song notebook. I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you interrupted.”

Rachel leaned in and kissed Lance on the lips softly. “That's a nice way of saying go away,” she told him, getting up. She'd since changed from the clothes she was wearing to some pajama pants and a layered tank top, her hair up in a messy pony tail and some fuzzy boot slippers on her feet. It had been a feat with her arm in the sling, but she'd done it. She made her way from the back through the bunk area to see JC writing. She slid into the booth across from him and started to speak but he held a finger up.

“Let me finish this phrase before I lose it,” he said, writing faster before shutting the notebook. “Now,” JC gave Rachel a smile and reached across the table and taking her hand, “how can I help you? Do you want something to drink?” his eyes studied hers and he was thankful that he'd gotten to be on this bus. Not that the other bus wasn't good, but he knew he and Rachel needed to talk away from prying ears.


“Why do you have to think you have to take care of me?” Rachel asked him, giving him a grin as he got up to retrieve a couple waters out of the fridge.

“That's what a man's supposed to do right? Take care of the people he cares about?” JC questioned, taking a drink. “I like your boots,” he told her, messing with the toe of the slipper since she'd put her feet on the other side of the bench.

“Mel got them for me at Christmas. Told me I needed to have something so I wouldn't gripe about my feet being cold all the time,” Rachel told him, smiling. “You look high fashion too,” she said, looking at JC's faded Miami Heat shirt and some mesh shorts, his feet in some ankle socks.

“Don't tell anyone, but we hate getting dressed. Other than the fact it's cold outside, I wouldn't change out of this to eat breakfast later,” JC smiled, thinking of what a silly conversation this was to have. It was also the kind of conversation he could have with a girl who was his friend. “So...about us,” he started, loving it that Rachel blushed, “are you okay with this? I mean, I can't exactly kiss you in public. We'll have to lie to people.”

Rachel played with Josh's fingers, nodding. “I don't like lying, but in this case...I'm willing to tell a few untruths. I'm not throwing Lance to the sharks, but if it was reversed...If he met someone, I wouldn't make him stay with me. I'd keep the cover going.”

“What if someone blows the cover?” JC asked. He wasn't trying to be the pessimist but he wasn't going to pretend that someone that knew about them wouldn't slip up, or that he or Rachel wouldn't get tired of pretending not to be together.

Rachel bit her lip and them moved to where she was sitting next to JC in the small booth, her arm in the sling against his body. “We'll just have to be careful. Kristen knows Lance is gay. There's no way I can make her believe otherwise...unless we keep up hot and heavy in a relationship. If Lance is dating me, if we're together then she can't go blabbing he's gay and have it be believed by everyone if all of our stories match.”

JC nodded, his mouth setting into a thin line. “So Kristen knows he's gay, but what about us?”

“I think she just thinks we like each other. That there might be something more there... Justin picked up on it and I don't know how much she found out, ya know? If we keep it under wraps from everyone else...”

“So what you're saying is keep it from our family and friends. How long do we have to do this?” JC asked, not mad but curious. It was almost worse that they'd have to be this way. On tour and in contact but unable to be together unless it was in secret. “Lance will obviously know something. And I know you and Mel can't keep a secret from one another. It might be good if she knows...” a grin crossed his lips as Rachel reddened slightly. “She already knows..”

“Actually no. I haven't had a chance to call her. She won't say anything though. It might be better just to keep everyone but the Bass siblings in the dark. That way we're not worried about as many mouths opening and slipping up,” Rachel told him. “Have to get in our PDA on in private,” she grinned as she looked up at him, wondering why she hadn't fallen for him until now.

“That sounds like a plan,” JC replied, turning in the booth to where he could hold her and pressed his lips on hers. No one was going to protest if they were kissing. He could kiss Rachel and know that he wasn't making Lance mad. He felt her hand kneading his neck and grabbing the hair at the nape of his neck, making him groan a little in appreciation. His hands moved of their own accord, one to cup the side of Rachel's face, his thumb stroking her cheek as his fingers splayed in her hair. His other hand moved to the back of her neck, holding her head gently as they kissed.

Rachel let out a whimper as JC pulled away just slightly to change the position of his mouth on hers. She'd kissed Lance plenty of times. This was so different than that. There was nothing in the back of her mind that told her she was just doing this for show. With Lance, no matter how real the feelings were, she'd known that it would end between them. Now kissing JC, she realized that she wasn't scared about those feelings, of getting hurt. She was scared of not getting to see what would happen, to see if the feelings would be deeper. When she felt Josh's tongue at her mouth, she opened and let him in, caressing his tongue with hers, letting out a moan. When they finally broke the kiss off, she looked at him with a silly smile on her face. “Are you always going to kiss me like that?”

“Maybe not always like that,” JC told Rachel, slipping an around around her as they sat there together. “But yes, I'll kiss you anytime you want..circumstances permitting for now.”

“You aren't going to sing one of those cheesy boy band songs to me are you?” Rachel asked, trying not to chuckle at her attempt at teasing him.

JC shook his head. “Never. Won't you be my girlfriend? I'll treat you good,” he sang softly, then raised an eyebrow at her. “You mean those songs?”

Rachel rolled her eyes dramatically at him. “Whoever thought those songs would make girls swoon is crazy.”

Josh barked out a laugh. “So do I need to get a new job or something?” he asked, knowing she was teasing, loving that she didn't take life so seriously.

“Nah, I kind of like the one you have now. You're like the Pied Piper of boy band members.”

“As long as I don't have to wear tights and play a flute, I'm good.” He grinned as the conversation turned to other things, individual likes and dislikes on an array of subjects. It wasn't until quite some time later that JC looked at the clock on his phone. “Holy shit, it's almost four in the morning,” he told her, sighing. “We could go sit in the back and watch some television if you aren't tired yet.”

Rachel shrugged, getting up. Her muscles protested sitting in one position for so long and she gave him a smile. “I'll go to the back but I'm not promising anything. I'm not on NSYNC time yet. I'm still on L.A. Time.” She loved the feel of JC's hand on her back, pausing when she saw Lance's hand reach out through the curtain of his bunk and take her hand.

“Just thought I'd tell you,” Lance's voice was soft, since he wasn't quite all the way awake, “that my parents are going to stay with my sister for a week. She's not happy about it...” his voice trailed off. “You better take care of her, JC. I'd hate to kick your ass like Bruce Lee.”

“She's all yours when we get off the bus,” JC said, watching Lance grimace at the light coming into his bunk.

“I feel like I'm a custody case,” Rachel teased both men. “I guess I should feel special.”

“You got two fifths of NSYNC claiming you. What more do you want?” Lance asked her.

“A pony,” Rachel told him, laughing at both men groaning. “Love you, Lance,” she leaned in the bunk and kissed him on the cheek. “Thank you,” she whispered, loving the smile he gave her.

“You deserve it, Rach,” Lance whispered back. “Love you too. Go to bed. I'm not listening to you bitch later about being tired.”

“You sound like JC now,” Rachel told him, looking at the dark headed man still standing there.

“Hey, what's wrong with that?” JC asked, fiddling with his phone, looking at his text messages.

“Just come on,” Rachel grabbed his hand and pulled him towards the back, “I might could stand two of you. If there were two of Justin, I'd run screaming down the road.”

JC chuckled as he sat down, patting the empty couch next to him. “If there was two of Justin we'd all run screaming down the road.” He sighed as Rachel snuggled into him, her hurt arm on the other side away from his body so he wouldn't jostel it. JC would have to say this was the best time on the tour bus he'd had in a very long time.
Chapter 30 part 1 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
Enjoy..it is starting to get good. I am so thankful for my readers and reviewers. You all make it worth writing. Thank you for the featured story nomination as well. My bestie, jr88freak, has joined NF. Check out her stuff, she is a wonderful writer.
Chris studied the fresh tattoo on Joey's arm just on the inside where it bent. The skin was still red around the black markings. He squinted and wondered if his friend had gone crazy. “Is that even English?” he asked, watching Joey press buttons as his running back headed for the end zone against Justin's team.

“No,” Joey replied, having been silent most of the bus ride so far. He didn't feel like talking, much less explaining where he'd been for three hours. When he'd come back, Kristen had griped. Not that he'd cared, but after listening to her tell him he was acting childish and stupid, he'd decided to just keep his thoughts to himself.

“Well is it even a language?” Chris tried again, his eyes going to the screen after Joey gave him a dirty look. “You having a mid-life crisis?”

“He's not old enough for that, dude,” Justin remarked, gazing at Joey. The eyebrow ring and lip ring was something very different for his friend. Much like the perpetual frown that had been on his face since the tour started. “It's called rebellion. Our Joey's joined the dark side of the Force. That was supposed to be a joke,” he added when Joey didn't even smile.

“This is not the Joey you are looking for,” Joey told them, waving his hand at them. He glanced down at his arm, knowing that there were only two people that would know what was on his arm. Well, he guessed more, but that didn't matter. It had been the geek in him, the kindred one in Melissa that had let her drag him to all of the Lord of the Rings movies. She'd put up with his Superman and Star Wars obsession, so he went along with hers, the piece of paper she'd drawn their names on still stuck down in his wallet behind his voter registration card. The guy doing the tattoo hadn't said anything when Joey showed him what he wanted, nodding appreciatively when Joey'd just told him it was about a girl. The guy had made the symbols look harder so it didn't look un-manly but still the Elvish script that Melissa had drawn out.

“You okay to sing tomorrow night?” Chris asked Joey as he handed the controller to Justin.

“Yeah, tonight was just...a slip up. Won't happen again,” Joey told him, getting up to go make sure Kristen was alright on the couch in the back. He was exhausted, but he hated sleeping. He watched his wife sleep for a few moments and wondered if there would be the affection and love there that was supposed to come with having a significant other. He knew he wasn't acting exactly like a husband should, but it was hard when his wife acted like the only thing he was good for was a booty call and his bank account. What kept him there was the baby that was his, telling himself that he wanted to be a good father. That superceded anything else.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^**^
“You know we're gonna be in Los Angeles in a month and a half,” Chris said quietly, smiling when his player sacked Justin's quarterback.

“You fucking suck ass.”

“You love it, don't be a sore loser,” Chris told him, sighing. “Do you know what Mel had to eat yesterday? Frozen waffles and popcorn. That can't be healthy,” he said.

“She's not gonna move and automatically be a chef, dawg. She said she was doing okay.”

“And just how much of that do you believe?” the oldest man in NSYNC stopped pressing buttons and looked at the youngest. “I know you aren't stupid, Timberlake. You're our resident psychologist...and even I know she's not alright.”

Justin didn't want to think about the fact that his friend was hurting so bad. He wanted to convince himself she was fine while they were out touring. That he could pick up the phone and the old Melissa would be there to answer, her bubbly voice coming to him. The one who would give him smartass remarks. He took another minute to answer, looking sad. “Chica's hurting bad,” he told Chris. “I.I told her about Joey's latest antics....”

“What the fuck for?” Chris almost yelled. “What will that help? Make her feel worse...”

“She asked about how we all were doing, Chris. Did you want me to lie?” Justin questioned him, hating that he was going to lie to his friend about someone else.

Chris nodded. “As far as she's concerned, Joey's fine. He quit talking to her, so she doesn't need to know any differently.”

“She worries about him. I don't know what the fuck he does.”

Joey laid in the dark bunk, unable to sleep. He could hear Chris and Justin talking and his breath hitched. He knew what he did. Joey sang and danced and smiled. He pretended to be happy about his life while inside he was a mess. He pulled out his phone and hit a few buttons and pulled up a screen. He hit the password and it lit up with a picture of him and Melissa. He'd taken it and they were both making faces at each other. His lip was snarled up and she was pretending to look shocked. The next one showed them both smiling. And the last picture made Joey swallow a lump in his throat. JC had come by and taken it after telling them both to get a room. His hands were holding Melissa's face as he kissed her, one of her hands was combing through his hair. Looking at it a moment longer, he hit delete, tossing his phone beside him. He could still see the pictures in his mind and that placated him somewhat, even though he still felt lost.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^^*^*^*^

“Gimme a minute,” Melissa yelled at the knock on the door, sitting on the couch watching television. Heaving herself up with one crutch, she got to the door and opened it, expecting her parents. “Can I help you?” she asked the woman who looked a few years older than her, with dark hair and green eyes, a smile on her face.

“Oh..wow, I didn't know you were hurt,” she said, making gestures with her hands as she talked. “Anyways, I'm Holly Witten and I just wanted to introduce myself. I live just next door. I just wanted to come say hi...”

Melissa's mouth twitched into half a smile. Holly reminded her of Rachel somewhat. “I'm Melissa Bass,” she told Holly, waiting to see her reaction.

“Nice to meet you,” Holly said, nodding when Melissa asked if she wanted to come in so they weren't standing there with the door open. “When did you get hurt?” she asked, looking around at the pictures and décor, sitting down on the ottoman.

“My friend Rachel and I were in a car wreck a couple weeks ago. My parents are coming this morning and I thought you were them,” Melissa sighed as she went over and looked at her pictures. “How long have you lived in Los Angeles?”

“For seven years or so,” Holly replied, watching the other girl. “It's a big place but you'll get used to it.” She got up and went over to Melissa and looked at the pictures. She recognized Lance and then noted the similarity in the features. “You must miss Florida,” she said carefully, not wanting to be rude.

“More than you know. Sucks even more not having a car yet...” Melissa looked at Holly. “You aren't going to ask if you can have Justin's number are you? Or send the paparazzi to hang out?” she questioned, raising an eyebrow at the woman, watching her start to chuckle.

“Fortunately, I'm just here as the welcoming committee. There are enough siblings and famous people living around here that you aren't as alone as you think. My cousin Jason plays football for the University of Tennessee and is looking at going in the draft. A couple people that work on the movie lots live in the condos on the other side of the lake from you,” Holly named off the other people she knew or knew of, watching the younger woman relax.

“I'm sorry. I just...it comes with the territory,” Melissa said, looking a little ashamed. “I would say you could stay for breakfast or even lunch, but you've met the one person who can't cook. I burn water,” she explained as Holly started laughing. “Let me guess, you're a chef?” She laughed as Holly laughed even harder, nodding as she wiped tears.

“Oh my...Hold on,” Melissa went and grabbed her phone and dialed a number and put it on speaker. “Listen to this,” she told Holly who was now sitting upright and shaking her head.

“Talk to me beautiful,” Chris said, walking from the bus to the gas station they'd stopped at. He was glad to see her name pop up on caller ID.

“I love you, Christopher. I made a new friend and she's a chef. No one needs to send meals on wheels or Jenny Craig.”

“Fuck...” Chris said, and the girls could hear him yelling. “Timberlake you better cancel that order to Jenny. Mel said she has a neighbor that is a chef.” They heard Chris go in a door and the background noise get louder. “So, is she hot?”

“I cook in nothing but my chef's jacket and garters,” Holly called out, rendering the man speechless.

“Bye Chris. Tell the guys hi and pick your jaw up off the ground.” Melissa hung up and laughed, pointing at Holly. “I think this is the beginning of a great relationship. I do know how to make orange juice though. It's in a carton.”

“Stick with me, kid. We'll go places,” Holly said as they talked about different topics, glad she'd decided to come see who the new neighbor was. Most of the females that lived around them were there to try and make a name for themselves in the entertainment industry. This one seemed to just want to have a friend and be as normal as she could be for having a brother in one of the biggest pop groups ever.

Melissa heard the door and got up. “Excuse me a moment,” she told Holly, going to answer the door. She was surprised when it opened to see her grandparents there and not her parents. “Hi, Grandma..Grandpa...”

Louise Raynes came in and looked around. “Well, from the way your mother talked, the world was ending in California. The house hasn't burned down...Hello dear,” the older woman said to Holly as she went into the kitchen. “Nikki, where is the coffee pot?” she hollered, opening drawers.

“Is she always like that?” Holly whispered as she, Melissa and Edgar stood in the living room.

“You should have seen her on the plane. They moved us to first class so she could tell the pilot how to fly,” he joked.

“I heard that,” her voice carried out from the kitchen. “Your parents will be here this afternoon.”

Melissa turned to Holly and made a yikes face. “I know we just met, but I may come see you later if I don't die from all the love.”

“I'll be home until six.” Holly gave Melissa a little wave after leaving, a smile coming to her face as she thought of what she'd told Chris. It wasn't because he was Chris from NSYNC, just that she was a flirt. And it had been fun. There was no harm in that.

Melissa grabbed her phone and texted Rachel. 'I hate you. Grandparents and parents both coming. Tell Lance I'm killing him and they'll have to find another guy to sing bass.'

She smiled when Rachel replied. 'At least you won't have to eat your own cooking.'

'Kiss my ass, Weatherly. Moved in next to a chef. Ask Chris about her. ;) Love you.'

'Love you too. Josh and I are together, but not together. Will explain later.' Melissa read this and smiled, shaking her head and going into the kitchen where her grandparents were sitting. “I am glad you came,” she told them, hugging them both.

“It was either come see you or move you back home. This was cheaper,” Louise told her, watching her sit down. “You can't just sit around and mope about that boy. You have to show him you're stronger than that.”

“I'm not moping about Joey,” Melissa said, shaking her head a little.

“He'll respect you more if you act like you don't need him,” her grandmother told her. “It will be hard for you, but life goes on. There are other men out there besides Joey Fatone.”

Melissa looked at them, swallowing hard. She didn't want to hear a lecture about how she needed to move on. That there were more guys out there. She didn't want more guys. It wasn't just that simple. “I thought you were here to visit..not lecture. I'm doing alright...” she got up, frowning at them. “I can't just turn it off. I want to. Believe me, if I could just go back and erase Joey from everything, I would if it would help!”

“We weren't griping, Nikki, just giving you advice.”

“I don't want advice. I want you to quit worrying about me. I'm fine!” she all but yelled and grabbed both crutches and made her way out of the kitchen through the living room and upstairs, tossing them against the door after she shut it hard. Angry tears came as Melissa tossed a picture from her nightstand onto the floor and it fell to the carpet with a flood.

“Leave her alone, Louise,” Edgar said when the older woman started to get up, sipping his coffee. “Not everything is cut and dried like you think it should be.”

“I know, I just know she's strong enough to get past all this.”

“Not all of us can be you,” he said, taking one of her hands and squeezing it. “A good fit and then a nap will probably do her some good. I'm going to go try to figure out her television while you pretend to clean even though the kitchen is spotless,” he gave her a knowing smile.

“Sometimes you're a pain.”

“That's what the girls at the doctor's office say too,” he told her, leaving her to go sit in a recliner. Edgar had come for moral support, even though he figured his granddaughter didn't particularly want them there. He wasn't a tough love type of person, but he was glad they'd come. He'd let her parents and Louise dole out the advice and he'd be the one to sit and listen, like he always was.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^^*

“I hate that we'll get to be so close, yet so far away,” Rachel told JC, having squeezed into his bunk after they'd stopped at the gas station. They had about an hour until they were at their destination and it had to go back to them not acting all lovey dovey, despite spending the last few hours dozing on the couch in the back except when they were talking and kissing.

“I know,” Josh replied, pulling his covers up closer around them. “It will make the time we spend together that much better,” he kissed Rachel's lips softy and smiled, running a hand over her face. “If anyone asks why I look like hell, I will just tell them you and Lance kept me up.”

Rachel chuckled, shaking her head. “You're just as bad as Chris and Joey.”

“You have no idea,” JC smirked and pulled her in to kiss her once more. He wasn't going to let Rachel go until the bus came to a stop in front of the hotel.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“Is this all we're doing?” Kristen asked, a disdain in her voice as the SUV carrying her, Joey, Rachel and Lance followed the front one holding the other three members. They were on their way to a couple radio shows and then had the rest of the day until it was time to get ready to go on stage.

“Yes, a rare day to relax between media obligations,” Joey told her, looking over at his wife and then glancing at Rachel and Lance. Usually there would be conversation flowing back and forth but it was quiet. “What were you expecting?” he asked, not sure he wanted to know the answer.

“I thought we could go shopping or something,” Kristen said sweetly.

“You shopped in Seattle. The Amex card is still smoldering in my wallet,” Joey said, shaking his head a little. It wasn't that money was a big deal, but he failed to see how his wife needed more clothes or shoes. When he asked if she'd bought him anything, all he'd gotten was a dirty look and a big sigh when he'd needed some deodorant and some toothpaste.

“I thought you got paid this week,” Kristen said, looking at him. “I mean, we still haven't gone to pick out a crib. I wanted you to do that with me.”

Rachel exchanged a look with Lance and then watched Joey's body language. He was still holding his wife's hand, but he was looking out the window, the same sad look on his face that she was told he'd had since he'd come back from his honeymoon. “Have you picked out names yet?” she asked, shooting a smile at Kristen. It wasn't that she wanted to be friends with the woman, but for Lance's sake and Joey's she was going to try and make things smoother.

“Well, we wanted to wait until we knew if it was a boy or a girl,” Joey said, looking at Rachel, “but there are a couple names we liked.”

“Preston Joseph for a boy,” Kristen told her, “or Amelia Rene.”

Joey raised an eyebrow at her, “I told you we're not naming a girl after your aunt that killed herself.”

Kristen let go of Joey's hand and her lip quivered, playing the pregnancy card and watching him glare. “You told my Mom it was a nice name. Is that not what you said?” her voice was thick with tears.

“I said it was a nice name. I didn't say I wanted to name my kid that,” Joey spat, fiddling with the seat belt when the vehicle stopped. “How about we just drop the subject?”

“Oh yeah, let's not talk about it at all,” Kristen told him as he got out. “I bet you and her had names picked out already for kids.” A satisfied smirk came to her face momentarily when Joey stilled. “What would have happened if she'd have ended up pregnant?”

Joey turned and was going to take a step towards Kristen, but Rachel jumped in front of him pressing her back against his front, one of her hands moving to where it could grab his hand and squeeze it tight. He didn't care it hurt, reaching with his other hand in his pocket and getting his pack of cigarettes and lighter. She wouldn't have been able to keep him back if he'd have wanted to move since she didn't have the use of both arms..

“Lance and I picked out baby names,” Rachel told Kristen, listening to the flick of the lighter, turning her head slightly. “Don't burn my hair, Fatone,” she gave him a small smile as he nodded, his face unreadable. “I mean, it's just something you talk about, right?” Rachel smiled as Lance nodded, moving to where Rachel was.

“What were your names?” Kristen crossed her arms and stood there, looking at the two of them, trying to decide if the other woman was lying.

“Catherine Emily for a girl,” Rachel told her with a smile, letting Joey's hand go and reaching over and grabbing Lance's. “And Alexander Michael for a boy.”

Lance nodded, knowing Rachel had kid names picked out since she and his sister were in high school. “We're just waiting to see what happens. That sort of thing,” he added, leaning in to kiss Rachel. “Catfish is a good nickname, right Joe?”

Joey gave a snort, but he did smile and shake his head a little. “Catfish is awesome. Sounds like something you two would come up with...” his voice trailed off as he inhaled the last of one cigarette and went to light another. His temper was still up and he wasn't ready to quit smoking.

“Well, that's good for you,” Kristen gave them a small smile and looked at Joey. She knew he was pissed and looked at Rachel. “What were you going to do today?”

Rachel sucked in a breath, knowing she would probably regret this. It was a split second decision to give the guys a break. “I was going to say that when we get back to the hotel, we get ready and go out shopping on me. Just us girls.” She watched Kristen's face light up and she tried not to get her own devilish grin at the thought of one upping the woman who thought she had the say in all of this.

“See?” Kristen told Joey, watching him suck on nicotine, making a face. “I told you I'd find someone who was like me,” her smile widened as Joey and Lance left, leaving the two of them alone to go into the radio station, starting to autograph things as they slowly went. “I think this will be good girl bonding time.”

“I do too,” Rachel smiled at her sweetly, pulling out her phone and Lance a message. 'You owe me. Get Fatone happy. Don't care how.'

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

“Dawg, you look like you could build a house,” Justin whispered to Joey as they waited outside of the booth where the DJ was. He'd seen the girls come in and was surprised to see them talking like they were old friends. He looked questioningly at Lance who just shrugged.

“It's not been the best day ever,” Joey replied, fighting to bottle up his feelings. He wanted to ask his wife why she enjoyed pushing his buttons. Just when he thought he was at the point he could try to be a supportive husband and let his guard down, Kristen just made it that much more of a Hell he was stuck in.

“We're going out after this,” Lance told them all, getting up when they were told they could go in. “Just us guys.”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Jim and Linda Bass knocked on the door to their daughter's condo and smiled when it opened, but then frowned when Louise Raynes appeared in front of them.

“Hi...Louise,” Linda said, giving her mother in law a hug and then going in to let Jim come in behind her and carry their bags. “We weren't expecting you here.”

“Oh I know,” the older woman told her, hugging Jim and then shutting the door behind her. “It's just that Lance called and we asked about Nikki. He sounded worried and said something about you coming up, so I told Edgar we needed to come too, make sure our granddaughter is doing alright.”

Jim sat down next to his father after hugging him and looked at the television. “So you came too?”

“I'm not feeding her to the wolves,” Edgar muttered, turning up the basketball game that was on. “She's been asleep most of the day, looked exhausted when we got here,” he told his son, watching the women talk.

“I think it's been blown a little out of proportion, but we were coming anyway for a few days,” Jim replied, watching Linda go up the stairs.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Melissa felt the weight of someone on her bed with her. She wasn't all the way awake but was enough to open her eyes a little. “Hi, Mom.”

“Hi, honey,” Linda looked at her daughter and at her room. It looked much like the one at Lance's house did, except there weren't pictures everywhere of Joey. She caught sight of a graduation one and saw that it was stuck in her mirror between one of her and Rachel at an early NSYNC concert and one of her and Lance. “How are you?” she watched her daughter shrug and roll back over.

“Phyllis can't get Joey to say much on the phone either. The two of you act so much alike...” Linda said with a sigh, poking Melissa's leg and listening to her groan.

“I don't want to talk about Joey,” Melissa mumbled into her pillow, “go bother the other people.”

“Melissa Nicole,” Linda said, standing up and glaring at her daughter. “I'm sorry you're hurting and think this is the end of the world, but I'm still your mother,” she tried hard not to smile when her daughter sat up and sighed. “How about a shower and something to eat?” she suggested, watching Melissa reach for the picture that had been tossed on the floor, having to almost roll off the bed to get it. She smiled when she saw it was one of Melissa and Joey and Lance, all of them smiling. “That was a great picture.”

“It sucks,” Melissa replied, putting it carefully next to some others, but where it was facing away from the bed. “I'm alright, Mom,” she tried to give her a real smile, then sighed when she couldn't. “Tomorrow's another day. Maybe I'll fall off my toilet and invent the flux capacitor so I can go back in time and keep Joey from having sex with Kristen. Of course if I see myself it will cause a rift in the time continuum. I'll either pass out or the world will blow up. Either way, we're all good... I'll go take that shower now.”

Linda sat down on the bed and sighed. From what she'd heard, 'coping' and 'healing' was a term reserved for other people's kids besides hers and the Fatone family. It was just something they would all have to deal with. She looked over the pictures and found the one from graduation where Melissa and Joey were making duck faces. Her tears came and she wiped them away quickly. It wouldn't do any good for her to be upset and got up quickly when she heard her daughter call. “Yes?” she asked at the bathroom door. Her eyes widened when her daughter thrust a piece of paper at her, the drawing from the movie on there. She heard Melissa's laugh and just shook her head. “Don't tell me you fell off the toilet...”

“No, Ma. I just thought it was funny enough to do,” Melissa looked at her mother and sighed. “Tell Dad and Grandpa we can go pick out my new car tomorrow. They can go be the muscle and get me a good deal.”

Linda nodded. “What are you thinking of getting?” She was hoping her daughter was going to say something sensible, like a Honda or Toyota.

“Another Mustang,” Melissa told her, listening to her sigh. “I'm not driving some old crappy car just because I got in a wreck. It wasn't my fault...”

“I know it wasn't but you and Rachel got hurt,” Linda started, watching the door shut. “Just think about it, honey.”

Melissa waited until her mother's footsteps faded away and took her phone and texted Rachel. 'Mom wants me to get an old lady car. Told her no. What are u doin?'

She got a picture in return and looked at it. It wasn't the Rachel Weatherly she usually saw, but the one who went to New York and schmoozed with socialites and billionaires. 'Entertaining Kristen for an afternoon. Even Lance is afraid. ;) I AM the bigger bitch.'

Melissa laughed and replied 'Have fun with that. Be nice to my brother since he won't be alive after I see him the next time.' She put her phone on the counter and reached for her shirt and pulled it off. Truth was she didn't care about getting a shower, but it was a good excuse to not have to deal with her parents and grandparents for a little while longer.
Chapter 30 part 2 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
Part 2..yay! Please review. I love hearing your thoughts on the story.
Lance swallowed and looked over Rachel's final touches. Her hair looked perfect and she looked like she'd fallen out of an issue of a magazine. The clothes were all name brand that Lance knew cost more than Kristen had blown from Joey's account. He smiled at the heels and pulled Rachel close. “You look gorgeous. I'll have to get Josh and we'll both have to kill a few guys,” he leaned in and kissed her, watching her blow out a breath.

“This is just the look. You haven't seen the attitude yet. It's what makes the Weatherly social status like those in The Hamptons and the old Hollywood money, the mafia ties...” Rachel's voice trailed off. “I guess I'm not as much of a hard-ass as I thought. I want to see Joey smile...”she leaned on Lance's chest, her forehead resting on him. “Your sister said she's going to kill you, by the way. Did you know your grandparents are in California?”

Lance groaned and closed his eyes, “No. I should have thought about what I was telling my Grandma but I didn't. That's probably why she hasn't texted me back.”

“I wouldn't text you back either. You're a mean brother,” Rachel told him, giving him one more kiss before slipping out of his arms. She gave him a smile and then looked him up and down like he wasn't worth her time. Rachel watched Lance's brow furrow in confusion for a moment.

“You are deadly, Rachel Weatherly,” Lance told her, holding the door open.

“I expect to be treated like a queen when I return...by all of you. Even Joey should be paying homage.”

“I think Joe will just be happy to have a thought in his head that's not something about the baby or his wife.”

“What about Mel?” Rachel asked, pausing.

“I don't know,” Lance said softly, shrugging. “He doesn't even talk about her to me. Not even to Justin...but anyways, we'll drag him out later for a good time.”

“Someone better have a good time for what I'm gonna go through today,” Rachel told him, tossing her head once more before walking down to where Joey and Kristen's room was. She knew the walk, the one that made her look like she was every bit the oil tycoon heiress that she was. It was hard not to smirk at Lance's intake of breath when she'd turned and walked away, knowing that he was male and the view he was seeing was of her ass in the jeans she was in, accompanied with the heels. She smiled even wider when Joey opened the door and she had to shut his mouth. “It's just part of the show, Fatoney,” Rachel whispered, giving him a one armed hug, squeezing him a little tighter when he didn't let go.

Kristen came out of the bathroom and she almost made a snide remark until she remembered that Rachel was paying for this shopping trip. Besides that, it wasn't like Rachel wanted Joey. “Are you ready?” she asked Rachel as the two of them parted and Kristen laced her fingers through Joey's. “How do I look, babe?”

“You look good, Kris,” Joey told her, noting that she did look good. At least as good as she could being pregnant and trying to wear a shirt that showed off her assets and not her stomach. “Have fun,” he kissed her chastely on the lips, letting her go and giving her a smile. The door shut after the women left and Joey collapsed on the bed and let out a long groan. He laid there wondering why his whole body hurt and then he realized why. He'd been tensed up since this morning. Joey's mind flittered back to the conversation where his wife had hurled the words at him about baby names. A slight smirk crossed his face.

“What are you doing?” Joey asked Melissa, seeing her write down something, hiding the paper from him. “I wanna see, Bass.” His eyebrow raised when she shook her head, finally picking her up out of the recliner and throwing her over his shoulder. Amid her shouts of protest as he carried her to the couch and dropped her unceremoniously on it, he'd gotten the paper and smoothed it out as she glared at him. He looked at the list of names and then at her. “You're scaring me, Melly...” he said, raising an eyebrow.

“I'm not pregnant, sheesh. It's just...I was thinking,” she shrugged, reaching up and pulling on his hand for him to sit beside her. It was a couple days after Christmas and she'd gotten asked when they could expect the pitter patter of little Fatone feet. She and Joey weren't trying to have a baby, but she just wanted to write down names. “See any you like?” she asked, snuggling into Joey.

“Eva Sofia has a nice ring to it,” Joey replied after looking over the names. “And if it's a boy he can be Joseph Anthony Fatone, III. We can call him Trey.”

“This time, I think you seriously bumped your head. I am not naming a kid that mouthful of a name that I have to yell when I get mad at you just to call him some stupid nickname,” Melissa told him, sitting up to kiss Joey on the lips. Soon the piece of paper was forgotten as they got involved with each other. “Are you trying to seduce me?” she murmured as Joey's lips found her neck, making her moan when his tongue snaked along her jugular vein to her earlobe. “You know what happens when you do this right?”

“Your clothes come off a little faster,” Joey whispered and grinned as Melissa smacked him on the shoulder. “We're practicing...maybe we can have enough kids to name them all the names on your list.”

Melissa barked a laugh as Joey pulled her shirt up and off her. “All we'd do is have sex and take care of kids.”

“Bambina, you make that sound like a bad thing..” Joey's hands ran over her body and to her stomach.

“I didn't say it was bad.”


The knock on the door brought Joey out of his memory and he got up and answered it, letting Justin in. “What's up Timberlake?” he asked, watching Justin sit down in the chair next to the small table that was in there

“Nothin' dawg. Just wanted to see you while the “wife” is out,” Justin made a face at the word. “What were you doing?” he asked, looking at his friend. He couldn't help but notice that Joey looked tired. And sad.

“Just thinking,” Joey told him, going to grab his wallet and cell phone and cigarettes. “You know, me smoking is your damn fault. But it was either this or drinking and I figure a nicotine fix is better than a whiskey one. We going or not?” he asked, not wanting to be asked what he was thinking about. It wasn't anyone's business that he kept memories of Melissa close at hand, letting them run rampant when he could.

“Yeah, let's go round up the others,” Justin told him, knocking on doors and grinning when Chris emerged in just a towel. “You can't go like that, dude.”

“No shit. I thought we still had some time,” he told them, folding his arms over his chest. He flipped off Justin when he took a picture. “Who are you sending that to?” he asked when Justin laughed.

“California,” Justin grinned when he got a reply. “She said you need a tan.”

“He needs a lot more than a tan,” Joey said, getting punched in the shoulder from Chris as he walked back into his room to get dressed. “You need a woman, Kirkpatrick.”

“I'm working on it,” Chris said through the muffle of the door, coming back out a few minutes later, dressed except for pulling a long sleeve shirt over his head. He looked at the rest of the guys and at security who was going to go with them. “I think we can all agree that wherever we go needs to have food and fun,” he said as the others agreed.

“I don't care as long as we can semi be left alone while we eat,” JC said, hating being interrupted while eating for an autograph. He'd oblige them, but it seemed like when one person asked, there was always two or three more behind them until he went back to cold food.

“So. Food and fun,” Lance said, trying to think of somewhere. “How about Dave & Buster's? They're closed for a little while between lunch and dinner, but I'm sure there are still people working.”

“I'll give them a good tip if they'll let us in and keep it quiet.” Joey checked his bank balance on his phone and cringed a little. It wasn't the fact that Kristen spent money, just that he had no idea why she felt the need to spend so much in one whack. He was thankful Rachel had gotten this shopping trip, texting her to see if she'd pick him up a couple t-shirts and a hat. Kristen would come back with something he'd never wear and Joey knew Rachel would get him something decent. He paid attention enough to hear Mo on the phone talking to the manager and they would be treated right if they came to eat and have fun for a few hours.

“Come on, Fatone,” JC clapped Joey's back, giving him a smile. “Let's go have some fun.”

Joey nodded, slipping his phone down in his pocket. “Let's hit the road. I'm ordering the biggest steak they have and about four sides.”

“That's our Joey!” Lance cheered as they all made their way to the elevators.

“I don't care what you order, but dude, if we dance and you get sick, I'm laughing my ass off,” Justin told him, high fiving Chris. It was nice to see Joey in a good mood, even if the smile didn't meet his eyes.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Rachel looked at her phone and replied to her texts, smiling at Joey's. She almost told him about asking his wife, but instead told him yes. She'd seen Kristen's taste in clothes and knew Joey was destined for “worst dressed male celebrity” if she was allowed to shop. “Let's go in here,” she said after walking a few moments and seeing a comic book store at the end of one of the entrances coming into the mall.

Kristen rolled her eyes and looked at Rachel. “Seriously? We just spent five hundred dollars in some really good stores and you want to go in there?” She followed Rachel and sneered at the kid working there that had big glasses and was wearing an Avengers t-shirt.

Rachel gave the kid a smile and went to the apparel section. She found a few shirts Joey would like. One was a Superman shirt with the 'S' on it. Another said “Cape at the dry cleaners” and the last one made her laugh hard. It was something Melissa would have bought Joey had she been here. It said F.B.I. Female Body Inspector.

“Who are you getting those for?” Kristen asked as Rachel laughed, grabbing a hat that had the X-Men logo on it. “They already have enough clothes from photo shoots and stuff.”

Rachel looked at what was in her hands and then at Kristen. Was she crazy? Most of the clothes they were offered they turned down or gave to charity. Only the clothes they really liked got kept. “They don't keep all of that. A lot of it goes to charity.”

“My husband needs to start keeping some of his stuff. He won't let me get rid of anything that is in his closet and his taste in dress clothes... It's worse than living with a kid,” Kristen said, as she watched Rachel rifle through the comics that were used. The guy came over and watched her.

“You buying for you or a friend?” he asked her, anxious to help.

“A couple of friends actually,” Rachel told him, thinking of Chris and Joey. Chris liked Avengers and Hulk, while Joey went for Superman. “Do you have anything older?” She watched him nod and go around the checkout counter to pull out a stack of comics and bring them back over.

“These were brought in a few days ago. Someone passed away and these were in the attic. I'm not even sure I can put a real price on them. This one,” he held up and old Superman comic, “will go for six hundred bucks easy.”

“I'll give you cash for all of them if you'll make me a deal,” Rachel told him as he looked at her as if she'd gone crazy. It wasn't about the money. It was about the look Joey would get on his face that she wanted to capture, that smile he'd give. One that she hadn't seen since early New Year's Eve.

Kristen's eyes narrowed at Rachel and she started to open her mouth until she thought about it. She wasn't having to buy Joey stupid things like t-shirts and comics. And he wasn't wasting money on them. She smiled wide at Rachel as she paid for the purchases. “Now that we're done here...I say we go to a salon. I'm in need of a mani-pedi. I saw a place that was on the way here that looked really trendy.”

Rachel let the driver open the trunk of one of the rentals and fought the urge to claw Kristen's eyes out. The woman spent money like it was a sporting event. “Yeah, we can make that our last big thing we do. I'm sure the guys aren't done yet,” she fired a text off to Lance asking what they were doing. She received a picture in return that showed Joey and JC playing laser tag against Justin and Mo. A big smile was on his face.

She swallowed her feelings about Kristen as she got in next to the woman. It was hard for Rachel to find something to talk about with her, since all Kristen had talked about was herself for the most part. Or the baby. It wasn't that Rachel didn't like babies or the thought of kids, but it made her cringe when Kristen had remarked she hoped the kid would look like her and not Joey. Rachel wanted to turn and ask why she didn't want the baby to look like its father but just let her go on. Until Kristen asked her what she thought. “If the kid looked like Joey, you'd have a kid with a great smile and that nose...” she said, shrugging.

“He's hairy and is probably going to lose part of his hair when he gets older. Ew,” Kristen made a face.

Rachel chuckled only because it was the only thing she could do. “Then why did you marry him?” she asked as Kristen scoffed at her question.

“Why else would you marry a guy like Joey? I mean, if he wasn't in NSYNC, he'd be just some guy singing at Disney World or Universal every weekend for a couple hundred bucks, maybe a wedding or something. If he hadn't have met me...He'd just be with your friend.” Kristen shrugged as if it was no big deal that she'd come in and broken the two of them apart, that there were no feelings involved. “I mean, I know they were going to get married and everything, but I seriously doubt Melanie could have kept up with Joey's lifestyle.”

Rachel dug her fingernails into her palms and prayed to every patron saint she knew that no one would miss Kristen if she just happened to drown her in the water that was there for the pedicures. The only thing that stopped her was that the baby was Joey's and it was because of that Rachel just shrugged. “I guess we'll never know,” she told the other woman, looking away and wiping tears quickly.

Kristen just smiled when the car stopped at the salon and they got out. She went in first, telling the girl who they were and once it was confirmed by Rachel who she was, it was as if the salon velvet ropes had parted. She was grinning ear to ear and telling everyone would listen about her and Joey dating and that they were just meant to be together and that they were so happy. “I'm sure he's going to be a wonderful father,” she told the girl doing her nails. “We broke up for a little while you know, and it was awful being apart...I found out I was pregnant and knew right then we had to get back together,” she batted her eyes sweetly at the girl who returned the smile and looked at Rachel.

“So is your friend here going to talk you into getting something done with your hair?” she girl asked Rachel who was a couple of tables away, getting her own nails done. “You need something shorter with some darker tones I think.”

“I don't think”” Rachel started, but got cut off.

“You should try something different, Rach,” Kristen schmoozed, smiling at her sweetly. “Keep that man of yours around.”

“That's not a problem, Kris. Lance is very happy where he's at. He wouldn't care if I got a purple mohawk, but I prefer my hair long and it's naturally blonde so I'm good.” Rachel gave her a cutsie smile back and then gave a soft sigh. She missed Melissa, who would have already told them they both wanted bowl cuts like Moe off of The Three Stooges. She'd have been the one trying to convince Melissa to come into a place like this. Rachel's lip quivered as she thought of “Beauty School Dropout” playing in the background. Her heart also ached for Joey now that she'd been around Kristen. The phrase 'wolf in sheep's clothing' had never been more accurate.

“You know your friend talks a lot more than you do,” the girl told Rachel, trying to get her to open up some.

“Yes, she does,” Rachel replied, turning her attention back to what Kristen was saying and she heard JC's name come up.

“I'm not sure who he's on the phone with all the time. I'm sure there's at least two girls, maybe three...I mean, I don't try to nose into other people's business of course,” she looked innocently at the woman and then at Rachel, giving her a wink. “JC's a great guy, just too shy for my tastes. I have a friend that I'd like to set him up with. I think she'd pull him out of his whole shy 'thing'.”

Rachel winced as she bit the inside of her lip to keep from saying anything. She'd gladly spend the rest of her life in prison if one of Kristen's friends even rolled her eye towards JC. She wouldn't let anything like that happen, even if she was Lance's girlfriend.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“How was shopping?” Lance asked, putting down the remote when Rachel dropped her bags and let her purse fall with them, looking like she could burst into tears. “Rachel...” he went to her and held her as she let out a sob. He stroked her hair and his heart broke as she cried more, not knowing what it was about. “Shhhh, Rach...it's okay,” he whispered, walking them both towards the bed.

“It's not,” Rachel said, wiping her face with the palm of her hand, laying her head on Lance's chest, listening to his heart beat. She felt better when his arms wrapped around her tighter. She winced at the slight pain in her right arm when it stretched around Lance's middle. The doctor had told her she could quit wearing her arm brace after the cast had come off, just to be careful moving it too much for the first few days. She'd taken it off earlier that day.

“She married Joey for the money. She doesn't care about him, doesn't love him. The bitch even said she hoped the baby doesn't look like him. I wanted to stomp her ass...if she hadn't been pregnant...” Rachel's teeth clenched together and her voice got dangerously low. “If one of her friends even looks at Josh the wrong way...” she let it drop off and looked at Lance. “I'm not sure what's going on, but somehow I don't think it's all Joey's doing.”

Lance looked at Rachel's tear stained mad face and blew a breath out. Kristen had no idea she'd made the mistake of thinking Rachel was just going to overlook what she said and how she acted because Rachel had taken her shopping. He also knew it was dangerous to write the other woman off if she was really trying to do something. “We can't just accuse her of making Joey not talk to my sister. He'll back her because that's his wife...even if he doubts her. That's what a good man does,” Lance told Rachel and gave her a small smile. “He was our old Joey for a few hours. Didn't even reach for a smoke until we were on the way back here. He said they keep his nerves steady.”

Rachel nodded, slipping from his arms. She wasn't going to accuse Kristen of anything, at least not now. It wasn't worth making anyone more upset or getting the microscope drawn in closer when she and Lance were trying to be as real as possible. However, she did fire off a text to JC, asking him to come to Lance's room. She waited for a reply before she looked at Lance. “Josh is coming over for a few minutes. I'm not going to tell him everything, but I am going to tell him about Kristen wanting to set one of her friends up with him.”

Lance went to answer the door when someone knocked and let JC in. He gave him a small smile as he shut the door and went and sat down in a chair and watched JC and Rachel embraced.

“What's the 9-1-1 text for?” JC asked, letting Rachel go but still close enough to hold her hand, concerned when he got the text. He frowned at seeing the tear tracks that went down her face.

No one would think it was weird him going to Lance's room, which he was glad for. However if they saw how close he and Rachel were standing, they might question it.

“Kristen is going to try and set you up with a friend of hers,” a jealous tone came out in Rachel's voice and she frowned with JC's mouth curved into a smile. “I don't think it's funny Joshua.”

Josh pulled Rachel back to him and pressed his lips on hers. One of his hands cradled the back of her head and held her there until he broke off the kiss, his blue eyes staring into hers. “Do you think I'm going anywhere, Rachel?” he asked softly, looking over at Lance. “Lance would kick my ass. And besides that, I don't want any of her friends to even think they can get me. I'll tell her no thanks.”

“She's convinced that she can get you out of your 'shy' state that you stay in. I didn't tell her that you just wanted to be left alone and didn't want all of the attention aside from what you do on stage and what you have to do,” Rachel told him, leading him over to where Lance was sitting. Rachel smiled as JC sat down next to her with Lance on her other side. “I have to say I'm a lucky woman. I have two guys that care about me...”

“That will never stop,” Lance told her, putting his arm around her.

JC nodded, running a hand through his hair. “We're gonna have to be like the three musketeers meets James Bond with all of this.”

Rachel rolled her eyes at JC. “Why is it every guy thing has to have James Bond in it?”

“Because,” Lance told her with a big grin. “Bond got all the chicks.”

“And he had a lot of sex,” JC added, his smile getting wider.

Rachel got up and turned to face the two of them, shaking hear head. “Gay or straight, you men are all the same. Sex on the brain.”

“That's not true. It's only about every few minutes or so,” JC told Rachel a matter of factly.

“Only you, C, would be the perfectionist about sex.” Rachel's mouth went a little dry as JC arched an eyebrow at her and smirked.

“I treat it like I do my music. I'll just leave it at that,” JC told her, getting up and giving her the barest whisper of a kiss. “We're on the same bus again tonight,” he whispered, chuckling at her blush. “Don't forget sound check is in a couple of hours, Lance,” he reminded his friend who nodded as he left.

“I don't know whether to be jealous or in awe,” Lance told Rachel, watching her stare at the now closed door as he got up and pulled her in and let her head rest on his shoulder. “Makes me want to see if I can make you all hot and bothered like that.”

Rachel raised up her head and gave him a smile. “Of course you can. It's the gay factor. Gay guys are hotter just because they are gay and therefore unobtainable by the female sex. You're still the hottest thing going besides Mr. Chasez.”

“Somehow, I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not.”

“It is, I promise,” Rachel told him, kissing his cheek. She was positively giddy at the prospect of spending more time with JC. Rachel just prayed it would all work out, not like the possible train wreck she could see in her mind if things went wrong.
Chapter 31 part 1 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
Okay I am loving the reviews from you readers. It makes me want to keep going and writing faster to get you to the next part of the story. Thank you so much for loving this story! You all rock!
Melissa stretched out her left leg and looked at the walking boot that was on instead of the cast. It was heavy and obnoxious. The upside was that her armpits didn't hurt and she could get around easier. Although dancing was still out, she could do the arm movements as 'Bye Bye Bye' played on her stereo as she folded clothes that were on the couch. It had been a couple of weeks since her parents and grandparents had been to see her. She was never more relieved when they all left, her grandfather hugging her the longest and telling her that she'd have to learn to drive faster. Her new Mustang sat in her parking spot, still unmoved after her father had parked it a couple of weeks ago. Her walking cast got in the way of the pedals even though she used her right foot to drive.

Her computer was open on the table beside the couch and she looked at the Yahoo News that was scrolling over the screen. She caught the picture of Joey and sniffled. 'It's a boy for Joey Fatone and wife Kristen Devon-Fatone: Ultrasound results confirm...' the headline cut off so you would have to click to read the article. She'd read the article a few times, smiling stupidly at the grainy ultrasound picture. She had no doubt that Joey was over the moon at the prospect of having a son to carry on the Fatone name.

“I need a life,” she sighed to herself, folding some socks and tossing them in the laundry basket. Melissa picked up her phone when it buzzed, seeing a text from Justin, asking what she was doing.

'Same thing as always. Nothin.' She heard a knock on her door and got up, surprised at who was on the other side, opening it and gracefully falling into his arms. “Timberlake!” she said, tears coming to her eyes at the familiarity of Justin's cologne and embrace. “What are you doing here?” she asked as she invited him inside, looking for the other guys. She turned off the stereo so they could talk.

“Just visiting a few old friends,” Justin told her, looking around. “I came up early, but we're shooting the video for 'Girlfriend' in a couple days. You should come hang out.” Justin looked around the living room and smiled at all the pictures that were up. A lot of the group, some individual shots, more family photos and friends. “I've missed ya, Bass.”

“Sure you have, JT. You've been busy with all sorts of shit going on,” Melissa told him, tossing the rest of her laundry in the basket. She watched Justin flop down on the couch next to her and look her over. “I hate when you do that.”

“Do what?” Justin asked, raising an eyebrow at her.

“Read me like a book. Chris is right. You should have gotten a PhD in psychology or something. Forget this singing crap...” she smiled at him and listened to him chuckle. “How are the guys?” she asked, knowing how everyone was, except Joey. She quit asking about him and everyone quit volunteering information.

“Oh, everyone's just the same. Chris still acts like the biggest kid we have. Although JC's lightened up, he's still on our asses. Lance is Lance,” Justin shrugged, his voice trailing off. He looked at her carefully, trying to gauge if he wanted to talk about Joey. “Joey's doing alright, chica. Carrying around a sonogram picture and smiling like a damn fool...” Justin pursed his lips and let out a curse when Melissa wiped tears. “Goddamn it. I knew I shouldn't have come over.”

“No. Justin, please don't leave....” Melissa begged, wiping her tears and grabbing his hand before he could get up.

“Then tell me what good it's doing. You're still sitting there crying...It's been a month and a half, Mel,” Justin's voice got soft and he slid over, pulling her into him. “You've got to move on. Find something to do with your time...”

Melissa swallowed back tears and wanted to hate Justin. She wanted to hate what he said. Her Mom and grandmother had told her the same thing and she'd kicked around the idea in her head and promptly shoved it into the recesses of her mind, but when Justin said it, it was a slap in the face. “I thought you were my friend, Justin. And then you come see me and tell me that I need to find something to do.... I had something to do in Florida. I had a life and my family was there,” Melissa scooted away from him and pointed a finger at him. “I had a best friend and then a boyfriend who I was so in love with...we were going to get married,” a sob escaped her mouth and she covered it with her hand and tried not to choke on the sudden spit that had come with the onslaught of tears. “I hate you, Timberlake...”

“Find it here, Mel,” Justin pulled her face up and moved her hair out of her eyes. “Find a life here that you can love. You're in fucking Los Angeles... There's nothing you can't do, besides cook,” he said, chuckling when she flipped him off. “I'm not saying you won't miss Joey, that you can't miss him. Just don't let it take over. Go find out who Melissa Nicole Bass is without your brother. Without Joey Fatone...”

“It's hard. I miss you, and I miss the craziness of the tour. I even miss the stupid songs you and Chris make up late at night when you've drank too much. I miss Rachel...” Melissa's voice trailed off. “Will you do something for me?” she asked Justin, watching him nod. “Tell Joey I'm happy for him,” tears came again and she didn't bother to wipe them away. “Tell him that I smiled and told you that with any luck the kid will have his nose and eyes and break hearts.”

Justin nodded again, feeling his phone vibrate. He looked at caller ID and leaned in and kissed Melissa on the cheek. “I promise I'll tell him, chica. I love you. I gotta fuckin' go, these people are vultures,” he told her, pulling her up to hug her and let her walk him to the door. “Remember what I said,” he tweaked her nose gently. “Find yourself.” He gave her a little wave before getting in his rental car and driving towards downtown Los Angeles. For all his smart ass antics and superficial feelings on a lot of subjects, Justin felt like for the first time in his life, he had actually given someone advice that might be something worth some substance that wasn't going to be in a song.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“What do you mean you aren't coming to see me? You will come out to dinner right?” Lance asked his sister as he watched people mill around for the video shoot for their newest song that was coming out. “You found a job?” he asked, smacking Chris's hand when he reached for Lance's phone. “No..it's okay, Mel.” He hung up the phone and frowned, looking over at Chris, who looked hopeful. “She's not coming.”

“Not coming?” Chris's voice echoed and he threw up his hands. “First damn time we have a video shoot close and she doesn't come. Did you tell her we wanted to see her? That Kristen's in Pennsylvania?” he asked, watching Lance shrug.

“You know my sister. She's avoiding anything that looks like real life.”

“No,” Justin came up and stood beside the two of them. “I told her to get a life and not sit around mourning over what she couldn't have.” The three of them found Joey, watching him sit on top of a picnic table and smoke a cigarette. “She got pretty pissed off.”

“Well now she's avoiding the rest of us. Thanks a damn lot, Justin. She's our friend too. Not just yours or Joey's,” Chris huffed, shoving his hands in his pockets and walking off towards where Joey was. “I thought you were quitting,” he said, sitting down next to his friend, looking at Joey's shirt Rachel had gotten him. Joey rotated those out regularly so now they looked as worn as his others.

“It's either smoke or eat...And I hear less bitching about the smoking than shoving a doughnut in my face,” Joey told him, looking over at Chris. “What were you yellin' at Justin for?”

“Well, here we are in sunny California, thirty minutes from Thousand Oaks and guess who's not coming to see us? And guess who's fault that is?” Chris asked, sighing.

“Mel..and probably my fault,” Joey said, flicking ashes, surprised when Chris shook his head.

“The first part is right, the second part is Justin's. He told her to get a life that didn't involve being in mourning over you.” He watched Joey's face and saw it drop momentarily before he tried to put the mask on that he wore. “You're just as bad...”

“That's not open for discussion,” Joey growled, lighting another cigarette. “There's always going to be a hole in my heart that won't heal. You can't fix it with time or something else. Even if the rest of my life ends up being just fucking wonderful, I will still have that space that's not filled. So it doesn't damn well matter if I tell you anything or not. We have work to do,” Joey pushed himself up off the table and jumped down to the ground, shoving his hands in his pockets. He wasn't going to tell Chris he'd held out hope that she'd come. Not to see him, but to see Lance and Rachel. Hang out with Chris and Justin and JC. At least that way he could look at her, to see how she was doing, even if she avoided him. His fingers touched the ultrasound picture in his pocket and the corners of his mouth turned up. A son. He let that thought interfere with the other, causing him to breathe in deep and let it out slow. Joey was living for someone else now. That pushed him on, plastering a smile on his face as he made his way to wardrobe, not missing the smiles from the girls who were being picked for the video shoot. He winked at a couple of them. It wasn't the same, but he was still male and with Kristen on the other side of the country, Joey wasn't afraid of saying or doing the wrong thing with an innocent smile.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“Josh,” Rachel's lips found his once more as his hands slid up under her shirt. She let out of a small moan when his fingers ran over her bra and back down, his lips still on hers. “We're going to get caught,” she mumbled out the side of her mouth, listening to him sigh after he broke off the kiss. She couldn't count the number of make out sessions they'd had on the bus, in a hotel room when everyone else was busy or asleep. Getting braver, they'd meet up like this in a trailer that was marked for JC, clothes hanging in it for the video shoot or somewhere inconspicuous. They hadn't had sex yet, but there had been plenty of touching and kissing and sexual innuendos that led to things that were close enough to sex for now.

“Kristen's not here, so I'm not worried,” JC informed Rachel, bringing a hand up to caress her face. “I am more than ready to have you to myself out where everyone can see. Introduce you as my girlfriend...” his voice trailed off and he stood there, looking at her. “I love you Rachel. I know we're doing what we have to and I'll wait, but it doesn't mean we have to act like we're strangers.”

“I love you too, C,” Rachel ran a hand through his hair. She loved the dark curls that were there now that it was longer, playing with it as she pressed her forehead against his, her nose nuzzling his. They'd spent the hours they could talking. Texting when they weren't together if work happened to call Rachel away and talking into the late morning hours until JC could go to sleep. They'd gotten so close and yet they'd not even been out on a date yet. At least not a real one. Sitting in the back watching movies didn't count. “Look at it this way. It's a lot of fun sneaking around.”

JC nodded, pressing his lips to hers once more. “It is. It's like some naughty secret,” he smacked her bottom playfully when she walked away from him. “You better get out there and make sure no one is looking for us...or you...” he added, giving her a big smile.

“You better change into what they want, Chasez.”

“Geez, Weatherly..who do you think you are ordering me around?” JC laughed when she gave him a dirty look. “You're just standing there to see me take off my shirt.”

Rachel just shrugged. “Only if you do a little dance with it.”

JC pulled up the front of his shirt to show his stomach and thrusted his hips, humming 'It's Raining Men' and laughing at the blush that crept onto his girlfriend's face. Once he'd taken the shirt off, he threw it at her. “There.”

“Ewww...I don't want your smelly shirt,” Rachel dropped it and yelped when Josh lessened the space between them and growled in her ear. “Then tell me what you want, Rachel. I want some time with you alone...Real time. For a date and everything else that comes with being in a relationship.”

Rachel's eyes fluttered closed at JC's voice in her ear, leaning back on his body. “I want that too,” she whispered, feeling his lips press up against her temple. “Get ready before people start beating on the door,” she told him after a moment. “I love you.”

“I love you too,” JC told her, watching her leave. It wasn't that he was worried about Lance would think if they had sex on the bus, or even at a hotel, but it was the fact that JC didn't want that for Rachel. He wanted everything to be perfect. For them to be totally alone, without an alarm or worrying about who might find out or find them. He pulled on the clothes and went out, trying to put an expression on his face that would look neutral. His eyes found Rachel and he sent her a smile when she stuck her tongue out at him. It was always the best part, the flirting. And knowing later he could have her all to himself again.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“Cassandra, Evelyn, Monique and Jessica,” Joey said, moving on to the next group of girls. “Lindsey, Beth, Sasha and Lisa.. Tabitha...Dawn...Victoria, Jordan and Gina.”

“You sound like that guy that sings Mambo number Five,” one of them said, making Joey laugh. He'd always been good with names and this was no exception. “So which one of you lovely ladies is with me?” he asked, smiling at Sasha when she stepped out and he offered his hand.

“I was wondering what your tattoo was,” she asked him innocently, the other girls telling her to ask.

“It's just a word,” Joey told her, knowing it was covered up. “A friend's name.”

“Your ex,” Sasha pressed, frowning when Joey gave a curt nod. “She'd probably be jealous with all of us around and you flirting.”

“Nah. She wouldn't care. She was cool like that. Probably would be telling you all the stories I didn't want anyone to know.”

Sasha looked Joey up and down and nodded. “Congratulations, by the way...on finding out you're having a boy.”

“Thanks. I'm excited. My wife just hopes the heartburn stops. She's miserable,” Joey said, glad for the change of subject. “How did you know about it?” he watched Sasha blush.

“My sister's a huge fan. Justin's her favorite but you are her second favorite. We keep up with the website and MySpace...” she shrugged. “Hate all the gossip crap but we were so excited about you and Lance's sister and then...” her voice trailed off and she didn't meet Joey's eyes, changing the subject. “So we're trying to be supportive now.”

Joey gave her a smile and pulled her in for a hug. “I appreciate it. I really do.” He didn't feel like she was trying to get information from him or wanted anything. It made him feel better than he had in a while. “Now let's get ready for me to sing to you about being my girlfriend. Think you can handle that?” he asked, making a stupid face at her.

“You might wanna watch him. His face could stick like that and where would that leave you?” Lance told Sasha, making an ugly face at Joey as he walked by.

“I'll whip your ass, man,” Joey taunted Lance, laughing when some of the other extras gathered around them.

Lance and Joey faced off with each other, pretending to fight. They heard cheers from the others and then the director yelling at them to get to make up, laughing when Lance accidentally swung and caught Joey in the jaw and he put Lance in a full Nelson.

“I think that's the first time I've laughed that hard in a long time,” Joey told Lance, throwing an arm around him in a manly hug when they were done goofing off.

“It was good to see you like that,” Lance told him, still smiling. He just prayed that it would stay that way for his friend as they got ready for the shoot. “My hair looks insane,” he told Rachel who had joined him, watching the make up artist apply foundation to even out his skin.

“You keep having to dye it and it looks odd,” Rachel told him, watching him nod. “I'm amazed at how fast Joey's goatee grew back.”

“He said it was black magic,” Chris said from the chair next to where Lance was, garnering laughs from everyone around him.

“Next I'll use my voodoo powers to get us another counter tenor,” Joey said as he wiggled his fingers at him, smirking when Chris just shook his head. It was nice to be with his friends and have fun, concentrating on the task at hand.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Why are you cleaning? You cleaned yesterday,” Holly remarked when she came in, setting down a bag of food. “I brought dinner.”

“You act like I'm some sort of invalid,” Melissa said to her new friend, shaking her head as she walked slowly with the dust mop. “Fine. Let's go out tonight...My treat.”

“I thought you said your brother was in town shooting a video?” Holly asked. She and Melissa had become fast friends, able to talk about anything. She still hadn't heard the whole story on what all was going on, but waiting until she could until she made judgment of her friend's mood. “You aren't going to go see him?”

Melissa grabbed a couple plates and shook her head. “He's in the penalty box. Our grandma came and made my life twenty times harder than it was already...” she sighed. “Even worse is when one of the most famous pop stars in the world comes to your house and tells you that you need a life. And to quit mourning over someone else. I don't mourn, I pout. There's a difference.”

“And who would this pop star be?” Holly asked, taking the food out of the containers and then sitting down after putting a serving spoon into the food. She'd had leftovers from an order and didn't relish the thought of eating alone so she brought it over.

“Justin freakin' Randall Timberlake. Asshole extraordinaire.”

“There are millions of girls who would love for him to tell them to get a life,” Holly smiled when Melissa glared. “Just sayin...”

“Shut up,” Melissa retorted, sighing. “We'll run by and see them and drag Rachel with us.” She sent off a text to Rachel asking if she wanted to go clubbing. They ate, talking about different clubs before deciding to go to one out in west Hollywood. “Pick me up in an hour. I have to go make myself presentable. And thanks for the food by the way..” she told Holly after they cleaned up, sticking the leftovers in her fridge.

'Of course I wanna go. Pick me up. Come see Chris, he's pouting like a baby.'

Melissa smiled, sitting on her bed. 'He always does that. Tell Lance I'm coming to kick his ass.' She tossed her phone on her bed and went to her closet and sighed. It wasn't that she didn't want to go out, it just required effort. Once wouldn't kill her, she decided, grabbing a shirt that she'd wear in Florida, pairing it with some loose pants that went over her walking cast. Her mind wandered as she did her make up and she snapped a picture, sending it to Rachel. 'I feel like I should run and hide..'

'You look great. Smile.'

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Rachel slipped her phone in her pocket and sighed. Melissa didn't say it, but Rachel was sure she was scared. She went and bumped Joey's shoulder as he talked to the girl he was paired up with. She accepted his hug and leaned on him. “Now I know why all the girls love you, Joe.”

“Because I'm just so damn irresistible,” Joey said, giving Rachel a smile. “You know who would love this hat?” he said, watching her nod.

"Oh yeah Fatone," Rachel chuckled hugging him again. "Why, I'm having a hard time holding back right now. Just don't know if I can control myself."


“I know; I know," Joey grinned his arm sliding around Rachel's waist. His smile faltered when he thought about the fun times he, Melissa and Rachel had, teasing each other. Sometimes when they got going, he found it better to sit back and watch. It was a riot.


Joey excused himself from them, going to grab a smoke. He eyed the cars they were supposed to dance on and wondered who was going to fall on their ass first. If he put money on it, it would be him or Chris.
Chapter 31 part 2 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
The end of this chapter. Enjoy and leave feedback please. :)
“This isn't right,” the director said after a few moments, looking at all the guys with their girls. He looked around at all the other extras and then spotted Rachel standing there with her phone. “You,” he motioned at Rachel and crooked his finger towards her to come to where he was. He frowned when he saw the hard card around her neck. “Damn, I thought you were an extra,” he muttered.

“Um...I can help out,” she gave a nervous smile to him and looked over to where Lance was.

Lance returned her look with a shrug. He had no idea what was going on. They had just started shooting a scene; he didn't know what could be the problem

“Okay, I need to see you with JC,” he told Rachel.

“Uhm, sure," Rachel shrugged and walked over to stand next to JC. She relaxed a little when he smiled at her. She looked back at the director who was looking at them and nodding.


"Yes, good," the director walked over to the couple where he told JC he wasn't satisfied with the woman who was chosen to play the role of his 'girlfriend'. "It's not looking right on the tape," he explained. "But you two... You two look great together."


"Wooo!" Chris yelled, laughing. "This is awesome!"


"You hear that Bass? Your girlfriend looks great with JC." Justin chuckled.


Lance rolled his eyes at the two band members. 'If they only knew,' he thought. His eyes met Rachel's and he smiled. "That's alright; she knows who she's sleeping with tonight."


Rachel's face was on fire when she covered it with both hands. She shook her head not believing what Lance had just said. She was aware of JC standing close behind her, so close she could feel the heat of his body.


"This gonna be a problem," the director looked back and forth between Lance and Rachel. He hoped it wouldn't be because he really liked how JC and Rachel came off together. He couldn't wait to see how it ended up on tape.


"No," Lance turned to the director. "We're good."


"Great," he smiled rubbing his hands together.



“Would you be my girlfriend? I'll treat you good,” JC whispered in Rachel's ear, giving her a smile as the play back started for the beginning of the song and the director yelling at them to look at one another like he was trying to get her.

“Come on JC; you have a beautiful girl in front of you. You want to make her yours. You know she's dating a jerk. You have to convey through your eyes and small touches that you want her."


"I'm dating a jerk," Rachel murmured softly so no one would hear her. "I'm not sure I should jump to your honor or Lance's."


JC chuckled; a sound Rachel felt all the way to her toes. She swallowed thickly as her eyes met JC's. "Act like you want me. That's not so hard right?"


"That's not the hard part," JC whispered, smiling as Rachel blushed at the sexual innuendo.


"Rachel," the director's voice broke their connection. "You need to be smiling at him. Not big, but something small that says 'I got a secret'. Be shy about it. Give him just enough that says you're interested."


"Are you interested?" JC whispered.


Rachel sent him a look that had the director ecstatic and shouting, telling everyone to get ready they were rolling again.


Everyone else around them melted away and it was just them and she wished they were alone as he mouthed the words, listening to the director to smile and pretend to be interested in JC. That wasn't hard at all since she wasn't pretending. The harder part was when he yelled cut and they had to act like they weren't involved when the truth was all she wanted was to pull Joshua Scott Chasez to her and kiss him as hard as she could. She gave him a small smile when she was told to go to wardrobe and make up so they could continue the video shoot.

“Work it, Weatherly,” Chris called out to her as she walked by, “you gonna be makin' some money girl..woo,” he was teasing and clutched his heart dramatically when she blew him a kiss. “Eat your heart out, Bass.”

“Remember that's my woman, JC! And Chris, quit making it seem like you're a playboy,” Lance told them, shaking his head when they both pretended not to hear him.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Chris grinned when he spotted Melissa a little while later as she sat down on a picnic table watching them film. They were setting up the scene for Justin to race the muscle car. “Melly! My girl!” he yelled, running to her and pulling her up and engulfing her in a hug.

“Christopher...can't...breathe,” Melissa gasped, smiling at him letting her go and hugging him again. She smiled and looked at Holly. “Chris, this Holly Witten. Holly, this is Chris Kirkpatrick.”

“Nice to meet you,” Holly told him, shaking his hand.

“I guess you left your chef's jacket and garters at home?” he asked, making her blush. “At least Mel knew who to make friends with,” Chris leaned in and mock whispered. “She can't cook. Don't eat her food unless you want to be poisoned.”

“You jerk!” Melissa yelled at him and got up. “I'm going to say hi to JC and that guy also known as my brother. Don't believe a word Chris says,” she told Holly. She found Lance and poked him in the side, giving him a small smile when he hugged her. “Hi.”

Lance wrapped his arms around Melissa and smiled. “Hey...I'm sorry about Grandma. I had no idea she'd come here.”

“Next time you want to volunteer information about me, just don't,” she told him, seeing Joey watching her. Her eyes met his and she swallowed hard. He looked good and she was glad to see his goatee back and her heart ached Of course she also felt the pang of being ignored and she pulled away to look at Lance, feeling tears prick the corners of her eyes. “Your hair looks weird,” she pointed out, not messing with it since he had hair gel in it.

“I know,” Lance smiled. “You should see Rachel. She's in make up now...The director put her in the video to be JC's girlfriend.”

A big smile came to Melissa's face. “I bet they love that,” she said, waving to JC as he talked to some of the guys that were extras.

“It's interesting that's for sure,” Lance told her, giving her a smile and put his arms on her shoulders. “You okay?” he asked softly, seeing her look past him.

“Joey looks good,” was all she said, smiling at Lance and meeting his eyes once more. “And I lied to you about the job.” Melissa frowned at him and looked away. “I am going to look soon though and sign up for a few business classes I think. I just didn't want to come here...” her voice trailed off as she swallowed back a lump in her throat.

Lance nodded, knowing it wouldn't do any good to condone his sister for her slight little white lie. He might have done the same thing if he was her. “Well, it is good to see ya. And I see Chris has a new friend.”

Melissa looked over to see Chris and Holly talking and nodded. “I wasn't trying to set them up, but they have similar personalities. Holly acts a lot like Rachel, so I liked her. Speaking of,” Melissa cupped her hands and yelled in Rachel's general direction. “Hey sexy, how much you charging these overpriced choir boys to be in their video? Ow you look hot!” she catcalled and laughed when Rachel gave her a dirty look and flipped her off. “Baby, you just name the time and place.”

“Rachel's getting' more love than any of us, man. You must be puttin' Love Potion number 9 into drinks or something!” Justin yelled as Rachel just shrugged. “Don't worry, I'll figure out your secret.”

“Her secret is that she's hotter than you, Timberlake,” Joey yelled, his eyes studying his best friend. Well, former best friend, he guessed. How could you be best friends with someone you couldn't talk to? His eyes met hers again and he shot her a smile, watching Melissa wiggle her fingers at him before turning around to hug Rachel. That was as close as he was going to get. He pulled out a cigarette and lit it and Sasha gave him a smile. “What?” he asked her, inhaling the nicotine, glad for its calming effect.

“I'd give a hell of a lot for a guy to look at me the way you did her in that span of a few seconds.”

Joey blew out the smoke and smiled, shrugging. “You'll find someone that can't get enough of you,” his smile widened as he slipped an arm around her, “but for now you get to be my girlfriend.”

“What would your wife say?” Sasha inquired, getting an eyeroll from Joey.

“You don't want to know. It involves a lot of ugly words to the both of us,” he told her as they went to have their make up touched up. Joey cut his eyes to look at Melissa as he walked past her, close enough that their hands brushed but there was no motion on either of their parts, no acknowledgment that anything had happened. Other than the jolt that went through him, that familiar sensation he'd tried to not think about. He was glad that he had to think about something else, or Joey might have just turned around, his heart momentarily sputtering telling his brain to stop.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

“Places everyone,” the director yelled and then playback started on the song. It looked like disorganized chaos, but everyone was in their places and the cameras were where they needed to be.

“Why you thinkin' bout him momma?” Josh said to Rachel, their noses touching, sharing breathing space. He gave her a smile running a hand over her cheek. What he wanted to do was kiss her, but it wasn't a part of the script. “He ain't even payin' attention,” he said, smiling as Rachel's fingers caressed his jawline.

“You are so freakin' hot, C” Rachel whispered, knowing the cameras weren't on them for a moment.

“You think so?” JC raised an eyebrow at her, giving a sheepish grin whispering back. “You look fine yourself. You should tell wardrobe you want to keep these clothes,” he told her, looking at her outfit. Rachel had on a red spaghetti strap tank top that showed a little of her stomach and a cropped tan jacket paired with some ripped jeans and some tan Adidas sneakers. Her hair had been straightened and her make up was a little more noticeable for the cameras. To him, there was no other girl that grabbed his attention. His hands flirted with the bare skin just above the waistband over her jeans when the director told them they were going to go through the first verse and chorus once more to make sure he got all the shots he liked.

“If I keep the clothes, you have to at least keep the hat. I love the hat,” Rachel replied, biting her lip when his hand went a little higher than what it probably should have under the back of her shirt. His fingers lazed over her spine and his warm palm ran up and down her flesh as her eyes met his, a small smile crossed her lips. JC was making the most of this opportunity like she was, her hands on him as well.

“Does he know how what you feel. Are you sure that it's real? Does he ease your mind, or does he break your stride. Did you know that love could be a shield...” JC's eyes met Rachel's and he was trying hard to keep it strictly professional. He'd seen that look on her face before when things would get hot and heavy between them, neither one of them wanting to stop. It was that look that always got him. “I want to kiss you,” she murmured, rewarded with a brush of JC's lips on hers for a split second. It wasn't the soul searing kiss she was yearning for, but it still made her lips tingle.

For a moment Rachel entertained the idea of dragging him off to a dark corner and letting him continue with what he'd been doing, but that was thwarted since the director yelled cut and started to give directions for the next setup.

Rachel finished off the bottled water she'd gotten and nodded, heading over to make up when she and Josh heard that they were next to dance. She shot a smile to JC who was doing the same thing. “This is the dancing scene right?”

“Yeah,” Josh couldn't nod or he'd end up with make up sponge in his eye. “You're gonna have to shake your groove thing with me.” The tone of his voice was even, but the hint of a smile traced his lips and he knew Rachel would catch the hint. He was glad the video was like it was, one where he could dance with Rachel provocatively and no one would say anything if his hand was somewhere lucidly on her body.

“You are gonna get us in trouble,” Rachel mouthed, smiling as she and JC took their places in the middle of the crowd to dance. She caught Lance's eye and gave him a smile, chuckling when he arched his eyebrow at her. She blew him a kiss, mouthing 'I love you' at him, grinning when he said it back. Playback started and then Rachel concentrated on JC. She raised her arms in the air and swiveled her hips at him, giving him a sly smile as JC grabbed her hands and pulled her to where her body was flush with his.

JC sang along with the play back, letting Rachel look him over. “Won't you be my girlfriend, I'll treat you good.” He gave her a slow smile as they kept dancing, going through the rest of the song. All of the other guys had done it that long, even if they were only going to use five seconds of it. When it was barked out to quit, he pulled Rachel to him and threw an arm around her as they walked back to where the guys were. “How'd we look?”

“You looked smokin', dude,” Justin told him, pausing from his phone. “If Rachel wasn't already Lance's ol' lady, I'd say you two hook up.”

“Old lady?” Rachel exclaimed, looking at Justin pretending to be hurt. She went to Lance and slipped her arm through his and looked at him. “Did you hear that?”

Lance nodded, giving a chuckle. “Justin, I think you should quit while you're ahead.”

“Just sayin' man...Weatherly and Chasez looked into it. I didn't know you could dance like that, chica,” Justin told Rachel, shoving his phone in his pocket.

“You were too busy looking at all the women trying to shove their phone number down your pocket or cop a feel...I've danced like that at clubs,” Rachel pointed out, sticking her tongue out at him.

“Dude, I got no love,” Justin said, shaking his head as he looked at Lance and Rachel. They looked comfortable. Like a couple. He didn't miss the quick look between JC and Rachel however, a small smirk coming to his face. No one had to tell him anything, but he figured that whatever love triangle was going on, it was one that no one else realized was happening.

JC went to stand by Lance when Rachel excused herself. They watched as filming was done for the snippets, the other 'groups' in the video being shot doing their own thing. “How did it look?” JC asked quietly, not wanting to make it seem like they were having a secretive conversation of sorts. He didn't want anyone outside of the Bass siblings to know anything different than what was supposed to happen, which was Rachel and Lance. Even without Kristen here, it still worried him a little while they were all like this.

“Like Justin said, you two go together,” Lance replied as he looked over to where the rest of the guys were. Holly and Melissa had left a little while ago and he'd not missed his sister's long look at Joey while his back was turned. She'd hugged Rachel, the two of them giggling. As much as he might want to deny it, Rachel and JC looked like a couple. It made him smile that much more when Rachel came back and put her arms around both him and Josh. It made him feel like they could make this awkward love triangle work. “Melissa and her friend Holly wanted us to meet them later at a club.”

“Sounds like a plan. Depends on how late we get done here as to whether I go clubbing or to the hotel and to bed. We have to be here tomorrow to finish the day time shots.” Josh knew all of the guys knew that, but it was just a way of reminding them that there was work. Mostly his answer would depend on what Rachel was going to do. If he had to guess, Rachel would be going to meet her friend no matter what the hour was.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
“It's the car shots!” Justin yelled, looking at the five classic cars parked next to each other. He was excited about this part of the shoot. He looked over at Chris and laughed. “You look like a corn cob is stuck up your ass, dawg. How you gonna dance like that?” he taunted Chris, doing a few of the moves on the roof of the car.

“Shut the hell up,” Chris said, doing the same moves and slipping on the edge of the car where the windshield met the roof. “Fuck!” he yelled when his ass slid down the windshield and he sat on the hood of the car. He didn't mind heights, but he wasn't comfortable dancing on top of a car. Of course Justin laughing made it worse as he laid there, the wind knocked out of him.

“You okay?” Joey asked, trying his best not to snicker when Justin almost fell off his own car laughing so hard.

“Seriously, Kirkpatrick...You alright?” JC asked, looking at the oldest member of their group. He watched Chris get up and flip Justin off, taking his place back on top of the car.

“Yeah, nothing a Tylenol or three won't fix,” Chris told him, tugging at his clothing to right it. Truth be told, his butt hurt as well as his back, but it would do no good to complain. He looked over at Lance and tried to have a good attitude about it all. “Mel would have laughed.”

“She'd have been rolling on the ground and then when she could breathe, she'd find out if you were okay,” Lance told him.

“Actually she would have laughed harder if it would have been me, but you were the one who tried to do the Cirq de Soleil on the car,” Joey told Chris.

“Yeah, I bet you'll be the next one to assplant, Fatone. Least you got enough padding on your ass it won't hurt...other than your brain,” Chris replied.

Joey just shook his head and did the same moves Chris just did but without falling. He shot the older man a smile and them they got ready for the scene, the crowd of people watching them dance.

JC looked at all of the extras and everyone else and found Rachel in the crowd and gave her a grin, then heard the music play back. They were getting tired the later it got. He could tell after the third or fourth time of the run through that his friends were dragging. It was all part of it, they'd lived on less sleep but that didn't mean any of them liked it. And they would have to get up tomorrow and do it again. He loved his job, but Josh knew his mind wasn't on his work near as much as it needed to be. Especially with a certain blonde standing there watching him.
Chapter 32 part 1 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
Sorry I haven't updated in a bit. I hope you all enjoy this chapter. :) Thanks for reading, would love to read what you think on the story.
"So what's the plan, Yo?" Justin asked after the video shoot ended for the night. There were still more to finish tomorrow; the daylight scenes before the footage would go into the post production where the scenes would be meshed and spliced together.

"Mel and Holly are at a club waiting on us if we were up to going," Lance named off the name of a popular club in Los Angeles. He glanced to his right seeing Rachel exit one of the trailers. She was back in her regular clothes; her face void of makeup. When her eyes met his he smiled and watched her smile in return and make her way to him.

"You have no idea how good it feels to be back in my own clothes," Rachel yawned and leaned into Lance wrapping an arm around his waist. "What were you talking about?"

"How you're gonna show me all those dance moves you've been hiding," Justin grins and starts a remix of beat boxing as he pulls Rachel from Lance and starts dancing with her.

Rachel laughed, shaking her head but she moves with him. She raises her hands above her when Justin moves close behind her. She felt his hand lightly on her hip.

"Work it!" Justin laughed, the smile big on his face. "We better stop," he spoke into her ear. "Your boyfriend's gonna get jealous." He stopped dancing and pulled her back against him in a hug.

Rachel's eyes slid to JC as he walked toward them with Chris. Her smile widened at his raised eyebrow as he took in the scene in front of him. She winked at him before extracting herself from Justin.

"Don't stop on our account," Chris grinned as he gave his hips a shake. "It's my turn!"

"Later," Rachel said, holding a hand up to ward off Chris's advances.

"Count on it," Chris winked. "What's going on?"

"We're heading to catch up with Mel," Rachel indicated her and Lance.

"Apparently we're catching up with Mel," Lance said.

"Hey you don't have to go," Rachel told him. "You can go rest up," she pats his cheek.

"That's right," Justin rests an arm on her shoulders. "I'll take care of her."

"Yeah, I don't think so." Lance pulled Rachel away from Justin. He held her to his side, his hand resting lightly on her denim covered hip. "Find your own woman."

Rachel threaded her arm behind Lance, resting her hand on his back. She caught JC's gaze and sent him a smile wishing she could be held against him. Her skin still tingled where he had touched during the video; a caress down her cheek, where he tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, the tip of his nose brushing hers as he sang softly as if she was the only person around.

JC itched to pull Rachel away from Lance and tell them all to get their own woman - or man. He wished he could act on what he's been wanting to do since they started filmed; pull her into his arms and kiss her. It had been one of the hardest things he ever had to do. Being close to Rachel like he was during the video and not being able to touch her like he wanted to was rough. He had stared into her eyes and read the emotions that flickered through while he sang about being his girlfriend. He knew what she had wanted. He had wanted it too.

"Your sister's available," Justin grinned. He looked around to make sure Joey wasn't in hearing range.

"Shit." Chris scoffed. "Mel's the most unavailable woman in the world."

"Who's the most unavailable woman?" Joey asked as he walked up on the last half of the conversation. He looked around at his friend's faces noting how they looked at each other, exchanging glances.

"I am," Rachel grinned brightly and snagged her arm across Lance's stomach, meeting her other hand. She clasped her fingers together and hugged him tightly. She wasn't sure if Joey bought it, even when Lance played along and kissed her. Judging by the pursing in Joey's lips, he didn't.

"What's the plan?" Joey asked changing the subject. He didn't want to get involved with whatever they were talking about. He knew it was Melissa.

"We're going to the club," Lance answered.

"Same here," JC echoed hoping under the guise of dancing in the club atmosphere he'd be able to be close to Rachel without raising questions.

"Yup," Justin grinned. "I'm feeling good and feel like dancing."

"I was going to but if you want to do something else, I'm game for anything." Chris said. He didn't know if Joey knew Melissa was going to be at the club or not. He didn't want to be the one to spill the beans.

"I'm down for clubbing," Joey nodding feeling the need to go out and drink; to feel the loud music pulse through him. If anything, it might take his mind of his screwed up life. For a few hours anyway.

The four men exchanged glances and shrugged. No one mentioned Melissa.

"Let's head back to the hotel and change." Lance said and they started walking to the van that would take them back to the hotel. Joey climbed up front with the driver.

"Move your ass, Christopher," Justin said as the older man climbed over the middle seats to the back. He rolled his eyes as the aforementioned ass started shaking. "Get your fat ass out of my face." He reached up pushing Chris causing him to tumble into the seat.

"Hey fucker!" Chris's voice was muffled before he righted himself. "Do it again."

"Don't shake that thing in my face," Justin followed Chris over the middle seats plopping down beside him. "Damn, dawg!" He yelled his hips thrusting up. "That fucking hurt!" He reached down rubbing his behind where Chris had pinched him.

Lance rolled his eyes as he climbed in sliding across the bench seat to the other side. He ignored the ruckus going on behind him as Chris and Justin got into a pinching match. Rachel climbed in taking her seat next to him leaving the final seat next to her for JC. He smiled seeing the look JC gave sent Rachel seeing no one else payin attention. It made him happy that his friends were happy.

"Who's the pimp now?" Rachel laughed, wrapping her arms around both Lance's and JC's necks. "A girl could get used to this." She sighed contently as both men shifted closer to her. Her thigh now was pressed against JC.

"You can always jump back here and sit in my lap," Justin's voice spoke directly in her ear from where he had leaned forward; his head between hers and JC's.

"Now there's an offer," Rachel laughed as JC palmed Justin's forehead pushing him away.

"Best one you'll get all night."

"Not hardly," Rachel mumbled giving JC a sly look out of the corner of her eye. A smile teased his lips. "Is that one of the lines you use to get ladies?" She asked louder.

"Ladies?" Chris laughed out loud and that started Justin and Chris going at it again.

Rachel settled in her seat as the van pulled away. She took Lance's hand out of habit. Even before her and JC happened they held hands often. She had to keep pretenses up. But she took the opportunity while Joey was sulking in the front seat staring out his window, Chris and Justin discussing women and pick up lines to reach over and grasp JC's hand. She entwined their fingers and squeezed. She looked at their hands clasped together, his thumb moving slowly over the back of her hand and smiled. She quickly released his hand when Chris jumped forward drawing the three of them into the discussion of best pick-up line. Joey remained quiet in the front seemingly ignoring them all until he was directly questioned.

“Come on Joe, what was your best pick up line?” Chris asked, ignoring the dirty looks he was getting. He wasn't going to let his friend just sit up there and pretend that life wasn't happening around him.

Joey gave a half smile and shrugged. “Mine are all stupid. The girls always laughed at me and then I think let me buy them a drink out of pity. I had no game... I'm just the flirt. But,” he turned, angling his body to where he could look at the rest of the group, “one time I told Mel that she must be tired because she'd been running through my mind all day.”

Rachel laughed, watching Joey smile. “What'd she say back at ya, Fatone?”

“She told me that it couldn't be true. She had to stop and ask directions because there wasn't anything there.” Joey gave a forced smile at his friends laughing and then turned back to the front and lit up a cigarette.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“So how are you liking the city of Angels?” AJ asked, downing another shot as the music pulsed and played. He'd spotted the two girls when they came up to VIP and had sat down with the blonde. The last name had resonated with him, but he really didn't care if she was the little sister of one of the guys from NSYNC. He was just hanging out, making a new friend.

Melissa smiled at AJ, still trying not to pinch herself. “It's alright. I miss Florida but it has its perks,” she grinned wider, making a face at the boot on her foot. “You know my brother is supposed to be here soon. Not sure how he'll feel about seeing you talking to me.” Melissa didn't miss the odd look on AJ's face.

“Does your brother run your life? Last time I checked, free and over 18 counted as adulthood. And who the hell cares? You like talking to me right?”

“Yeah, it's been a lot of fun,” Melissa admitted, feeling foolish for worrying about what her brother would think. Or anyone else, for that matter. “I will admit my best friend Rachel and I have liked y'all since we were in high school. Only reason I didn't hyperventilate is that you aren't Brian.”

AJ laughed long and hard. “You had to be a Rok chick. I guess I can live with that. And your friend is...”

“Hopelessly lost to Nick. You're out of luck I guess. No one wanting to rip off your clothes tonight. Although I'm sure we could find someone...” Melissa looked around, pointing out a couple of girls.

“Will you stop? I get enough of that shit...” AJ waved it off, lighting a cigarette. “You do a good job of handling all this. Or is that why you moved to L.A?” he questioned. He could read people and knew he was scratching the surface of this woman. He watched her facial expression changed and looked at the door, at the man that was coming in. The one with the goatee who stared at him as if he could snuff him out with the greatest of ease. His expression darkened and AJ shifted. “Someone you know?”

“My...former fiance,” Melissa replied, motioning for Rachel to come over, dragging Lance and JC with her. She was glad to have the subject suddenly be interrupted with her friends and brother.

“I leave you with Holly and see what riff raff you come up with,” Rachel exclaimed, trying not to freak out. She first wasn't sure who she saw sitting with Melissa but then when she realized who it was, her stomach had knotted up and she'd become nervous.

“She's doing a good job of freaking out and I'm not Nick,” AJ pointed out, getting a wide mouthed stare from the taller blonde and then at Melissa.

“What did you tell him?” Rachel said, her voice low. “I'll kill you slowly and painfully, Bass.”

“Just that he wasn't the main man on the top of our Backstreet list,” Melissa said as Lance and JC greeted AJ.

“Ouch. That hurt.What's up, McLean?” Lance asked, thumping AJ goodnaturedly on the back.

“Not much. I must say your sister got the looks. And I may not be at the top, but I can stand for second place,” he replied, slapping hands with JC. “JC?” he said, getting a greeting from Josh.

“I would agree there,” Lance smiled as Rachel and his sister were now whispering. “You got a show tomorrow night?”

“Yep. Was about to ask if Mel and her two friends wanted to come. My treat of course,” AJ grinned wide at the two girls who looked like they'd just been given the key to Fort Knox and told to go get whatever they wanted.

“Is this what our fans look like?” JC leaned in and asked Lance as he watched Rachel and Melissa turn into teenage girls and hug each other and then kiss AJ's cheek before they went to find Holly.

“I don't know if you can compare my sister and girlfriend to other fans,” Lance replied, sitting down in the chair and ordering a drink. He knew they couldn't get drunk tonight since they had to finish up the 'Girlfriend' video in the morning. “Pull up a chair, Josh. We've lost the rest of our companions.”

“Where's your crew tonight?” JC asked, ordering himself a Corona, looking around at the VIP part of the club. He didn't mind clubbing, but when he found Rachel in the crowd talking with Holly and Melissa, it was the last place he wanted to be.

“I'm here with some other music buddies. The guys are all out doing whatever. I think Nick, Brian and Kevin went to see a movie and D is batching it in his hotel room, he started getting a cold the other day,” AJ answered, swirling his stick in his Jack and Coke on the rocks, mixing it up. He'd watched where the other two guys had sat down- Joey, he remembered- and Justin.
*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
“Woman, we have to get you to the club more often,” Justin half yelled at Rachel as he danced with her, a smile on his face. His hands pulled her closer, more so than he usual. There was no protesting on Rachel's part, especially when he handed her off to JC.

Rachel snaked her arms around Josh, who held her much like Justin did, glad that no one was really paying attention. Justin always danced like he was trying to get the woman in the bedroom, no matter if it was a friend or one of the dancers on tour or a stranger. Josh often asked Justin if he was half black. He smiled at Rachel, letting one of his hands linger on her side, his fingers caressing skin from the outside of her t-shirt. “You look better like this,” he told her, his mouth close to her ear for a moment. “Without all the make up and stuff.”

“You mean just me?” Rachel replied, grinning. She knew he didn't mean it like he wanted her to never dress up or wear make up, but that he wasn't one of those guys who thought women should always look like they had tried to rob the make up counter at Bloomingdales.

“I love just you,” he said, glad no one could hear them. “Coming over tonight?” he asked, getting a nod in response. He and Lance had rooms with adjoining doors on purpose. He looked over Rachel's head and looked at Lance. He hated to give her up just yet, but Lance was coming their way. It was for looks, he reminded himself, knowing that they'd be together later. He let her go, sighing when she melted into Lance's embrace. No matter how much he knew Rachel loved him, he wanted to have everyone know she was his.
Chapter 32 part 2 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
Part 2 of this chapter. Thanks for reading everyone. ;)
Joey had done his best to ignore the blonde sitting across from him, his body angled so that he was watching the dance floor more than her. It wasn't that he was being rude, neither was Melissa, but it was just better if they didn't talk. He hoped if he kept telling himself that, it would actually work. AJ had said his goodbyes to them all a few minutes ago, telling Melissa where they needed to pick up tickets and passes at. He'd not missed the excited look on her face, the slight blush when AJ winked at her. Another shot had him turning back to face the table. He raised an eyebrow at her drink choice. “How many of those you had?”

“Not near enough,” Melissa replied, eying Joey. “You have a video shoot in the morning.”

“I can hold my liquor better than you, Bambina. You're a lightweight.” Joey's lip twitched into a smile when she downed her drink and took his too. “Watch it there, killer.”

“I'll have you know I could out drink Rachel. And you shouldn't care how much I've had...” Melissa knew she was done drinking when the alcohol hit her. “God, it's hot,” she mumbled, blowing out a breath.

“Wanna take a breather outside?” Joey questioned, watching the alcohol start to take effect. “Come on,” he said, not waiting for her to reply, pulling her up. Their friends were out on the dance floor and he didn't really care if they knew that he was leaving with Melissa or not. Waiting cabs were parked in the back.

“I'm okay, Joey,” Melissa told him, actually glad his hand was on her shoulder as they walked. The night air helped, cooling her off and sobering her up a little. They stood in the alleyway and she watched Joey light up a cigarette. “That help any?” she asked, watching him shrug.

“It gives me time...” Joey shook his head, not sure he wanted to tell her what went on in his head. Not that he thought she'd care, but he used that time to think about her. “I think about what I don't have,” he finally admitted, flicking the butt to the ground and lighting another.

“Oh,” she replied, her voice small. “Look, Joey...I can take a cab home. I'll be fine,” Melissa hadn't brought a purse and had her keys and ID and money in her pockets.

“I have no doubt,” Joey smirked, grabbing her left hand, rubbing the spot where the engagement ring had been. “What if I told you I won't be fine...Melly,” his voice got soft and he waited. Joey knew this was wrong. He was married; having a baby. A career that was on top of the world and everything he could ever want by most people's standards. Except here he was, looking at the one woman he still wanted.

“You...you told me not to talk to you Joey. Actually, Justin did.” Melissa's voice was just as soft, hurt. “I cried and cried...You just quit loving me all of a sudden, like it didn't matter. Our friendship didn't matter. Like what we'd had just went extinct.”

Joey started shaking his head, pulling her into his arms. His lips brushed her forehead and he sighed when Melissa's head found the spot on his shoulder and her arms went around his neck. “Let's get out of here,” he suggested, pulling her along after she nodded slightly. His fingers laced in hers, they got into a cab. Melissa gave her address and they rode along, neither of them saying anything for a while.

“I can't believe you moved out here. I mean, there's no seasons here,” Joey said, watching Melissa shrug.

“There's no seasons in Orlando either, Fatone.”

“Yeah but you're far away from New York. Why live in a place where the Big Apple is across the country?” he asked. It was a selfish question. He hated she was far away from any of the cities he considered home. Los Angeles wasn't bad, but it certainly wasn't Florida or Brooklyn.

“What's in New York?” she smiled at his harrumph. “You're not in New York.”

“I might be in a few months...refused to move to Pennsylvania,” Joey admitted.

Melissa nodded, sighing. When they pulled up to her apartment, she paid the cab driver and then pulled out her key. “Holly lives next door,” she explained, letting them both in and then shutting the door and locking it. Her breath caught when she felt Joey's fingers brushing away hair from the back of her neck and then his lips on her skin. When his teeth nipped, a sigh left her. It was wrong, she knew, but the alcohol was still dulling her sense of right and wrong, making it a vast gray area.

“I hate the thought of hurting you, Melly,” Joey whispered, feeling her body relax and lean back on him as he whispered to her, sometimes in English and other times in Italian. Words he'd told her before.They were still in the doorway and he stayed there until she pulled him along. No lights were turned on as they made the stairs, pausing in the middle when Melissa stroked the side of his face before kissing him hard on the mouth. Joey felt a little bad not having any gum on him, knowing he smelled like cigarettes but didn't hear any complaining. “Oh fuck,” he growled when the hat he was wearing came off and he felt fingers along his temples. A tug on his hair was all it took for Joey to break off the kiss and look at Melissa, his fingers tracing her face. “I want you,” he said, swallowing hard.

“Joey...” she was cut off by his lips once more. The alcohol made her not protest anymore. The man she loved was there with her, telling her he wanted her. Just like her dreams, except he was flesh and blood real. Melissa let him take her up the stairs and then she led him to the bedroom. It was quick work of getting them both unclothed and she didn't notice Joey slip his ring off. A small night light cast a glow on them. “This should be interesting,” she laughed as Joey messed with her walking cast, taking it off before turning a lamp on. “Why did you...” she asked, then stopped, her eyes widening as she sat up. Joey looked skinnier. And not in a good way. “Joseph you've lost weight..”

“Nothing tastes good any more. Doesn't matter if it's a salad or a Big Mac,” Joey confessed, pulling her to him. “Don't start in on me, Bambina. I need this...” he planted a kiss on her shoulder and wiped away her tears. The guys knew he ate. They just didn't know he went and ran it off at the hotel gym. Two hours could breeze by and Joey would be able to sleep. He'd not lost enough weight to make him look sick, but he'd had to go buy some different pants.

Melissa gave him a searching look and nodded. She'd give him whatever he needed. It didn't matter. She told herself she should be scolding him, asking Joey why he wasn't taking care of himself. It wasn't that easy. If left to her own devices, Melissa would have just sat in her condo and let the world pass her by. An occasional phone call to her parents and brother, talking to Rachel; just trying to get by.

Joey reached over and turned the light off, leaving the two of them in darkness once again. “I love you, Bambina. No matter how I act,” he put one of his hands over his heart. “You have this. No other woman has it.”

“I guess I shouldn't tell your mother you said that,” Melissa joked, squealing when he tickled her. She felt his body shift to where he was on top of her, his fingers touching her, his mouth and tongue making it's presence known on the spots she loved. “I love you, Joey,” she whispered, smiling when his fingers entwined with hers to take her arms up over her head and his body came to rest fully against hers.

“Then just let me love you tonight, Melly.” Joey smiled when she nodded once more, giving him a smirk. His heart felt like it was full once more. Even if it wasn't right, he wasn't about to turn back now.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“Did you see Mel?” Rachel asked Holly as the group gathered to leave. It wasn't that she hadn't thought of her friend, but the club had been crowded and she'd been preoccupied between Lance, JC and Justin. Now all she wanted to do was get to be in Josh's arms for the night. And that time was slipping away.

“No,” Holly shook her head, looking over at Chris. They'd spent most of the time at the club dancing and talking. They'd exchanged numbers and promised to talk more. “Aren't you missing someone as well?” she pointed out and for the first time, they all noticed the absence of Joey and Melissa.

“Fuck, dawg. This is like a damn Jerry Springer episode.” Justin commented. He grabbed Rachel's phone before she could hit the send button, seeing she had Melissa's number pulled up. “I highly doubt you will get either one of them to answer. And if you did, I doubt you wanna hear what's going on...” he told her.

“You don't think they'd...” Rachel stopped before she said it. Joey was married. Melissa wouldn't ever ask him to have sex with her. Not sober at least.

“Let's just go to the hotel, Weatherly,” Lance said as they said goodbye to Holly. He said very little on the way there. He wanted to agree with Rachel that it was stupid for them to do. However, Lance also knew Joey and his sister. He doubted either of them really cared what they might think. And truth be told, worse things could happen. As much hell as Joey had went through, he wasn't sleeping with other women that weren't his wife;or now, Melissa. He just prayed nothing would happen between them that would make things any more awkward than they already were.

The group all got out of the cab and the guys paused, signing autographs for the few people hanging around this time of night before making their way with security to their floor and rooms. Lance looked over at Rachel who was pulling out her sleep clothes. “Have fun,” he said, giving her a small kiss on the cheek and squeeze.

“Thank you for letting me do this,” Rachel told him, giving him a smile. “I just want you to find someone and be happy.”

Lance grinned. “It'll happen, Rach. Just might take a little longer. Don't worry about me,” he told her, going to open the door to JC's room when he heard Josh knock. “What time do we need the wake up call for?”

“Six,” JC told him, pulling Rachel into his arms as he heard the door close from Lance's side before leaning in and giving her a kiss. It was one that he couldn't give her before since they'd been in public, his tongue dueling with hers. One hand was cradling her head while the other was on her back, pressing her up against his body. Josh felt her fingernails on his arms and groaned. He finally broke off the kiss when he needed more air, smiling at her. “Hi,” he said, nuzzling her nose with his.

“You are without a doubt the most charming man ever, Joshua Chasez,” Rachel said softly grinning at him. “And I still need a shower,” she informed him, pulling him along to the bathroom, laughing when he insisted on waiting outside until she was in the shower.

“You know we have a couple weeks off coming up,” JC said, leaning against the bathroom counter. “My vote is that you run away with me somewhere warm.” He'd wanted to surprise her with it, but then thought differently, not knowing what Melissa or Lance might come up with for plans. Josh wanted first dibs on his girlfriend's time. “Or we can just hide at the house.”

“I like hiding at the house,” Rachel told JC as she washed her hair. “Less likelihood of someone asking questions if we're all in the same spot. And then finally we can be alone. Together,” a smile came to her face and she put her head out of the shower and looked at JC. “You sure you don't want to join me?”

“I'd love to, babe...but..” JC sighed, seeing her pout. “I didn't want to do this...like this,” he explained, standing up and pulling his shirt off, letting it fall to the floor, then the rest of his clothes when Rachel shut the curtain to rinse her hair out.

“Like what? We've been almost naked enough times.”

“Yeah, but I wanted something better than the hotel,” he admitted, getting in the shower and looking at Rachel who was looking at him. “Somewhere secluded and no time limits,” his eyes took her in, the water cascading down her body, all the places his lips and hands had touched. Stepping up to her, JC touched Rachel's face and palmed her cheek, fighting back a groan when her body ended up flush against his. “You're beautiful, Rach,” he murmured in her ear, his teeth nipping her earlobe, leaving a trail of kisses along her neck. “This is your fault you know.”

Rachel's hands were on JC's shoulders, kneading them as his mouth went farther down, her mouth parting and letting out a soft moan when his tongue flicked over one of her nipples. “Joshua,” his name came out breathless. Her fingers ran through his wet hair, playing with it as his hands helped out what he was doing, tweaking the other nipple until it was a hard peak before his mouth moved over it. The warm water flowed over them both as Rachel let herself get lost in her boyfriend's attention. When he stopped suddenly, Rachel opened her eyes and looked at him. “What's wrong?” she questioned, trying to keep his body where it was, his fingers touching her pussy.

“Our first time's not gonna be in the shower,” JC said, standing up. He growled when Rachel's fingers closed around his hard dick, pumping it a few times. “Rach...please..” he grunted, moaning when he felt her teeth on his chest. “Stop,” he commanded, reaching down to stop her hand from doing any more. He pulled her to him and turned off the water. “Let's dry off a little and get in bed. Who needs sleep right?”

Rachel smirked at him as they each grabbed a towel and dried off, letting out a small moan when JC's fingers pulled her towel away to touch her breasts again. “Those hands are deadly, Chasez,” she told him as she pulled him towards the bed. The back of her legs hit the mattress and she pulled JC down as she laid down, inching up towards the pillows. He was helping her along, until he put his fingers down between her legs where they had been in the shower, moving off her enough to go at the right angle. Rachel stopped then, looking at Josh. His blue eyes looked her over like she was a precious jewel, studying her face as he fingered her, reacting to her expressions and breathy sounds of things she liked.

Nibbling her earlobe, JC continued, grinning when Rachel grabbed his wrist insisting he go faster and harder. He could taste the saltiness coming out in her skin the longer they went. And every time his penis brushed up against her leg, his erection twitched a little. If she thought she was going to do anything to him, it might be short lived. “That's it Rach. Come on baby, cum for me,” JC told her, his thumb brushing her clit, knowing what she liked. This time there was no reason to be quiet. They weren't on the bus and he grinned when she called out his name as her whole body convulsed with an orgasm. “Beautiful,” Josh murmured, kissing her as he slipped his wet fingers out, running them over her swollen sex now.

“I love you,” Rachel looked at him, grinning as her body tingled. She wanted to do the same for him, reaching down to his hard cock. “You like that?” she asked as JC bit his lip and nodded, suppressing a groan. She ran her thumb over the head of his penis, pre cum lubricating it.

“Fuck, Rachel,” JC growled, rolling her back over from where she'd been now on her side since starting with him. “I want you,” he told her, grabbing a pillow from the head of the bed and lifting her head up to put it underneath carefully, his lower body still flush with hers, his dick throbbing with need. “Let me make love to you now, Rach. I love you,” he told her, reaching down to position the head of his penis to go in. “Let me know if I hurt you.”

“You won't hurt me, Josh,” Rachel reassured him, bringing the palm of his hand up to kiss it lovingly before lacing her fingers through his. She wasn't worried about getting pregnant, having been on birth control for a while. She carded her hands through JC's hair as he let himself sink fully into her. She looked up at him and smiled, pulling him in for a kiss.

“You feel wonderful,” JC told Rachel after they'd broken off the kiss. He kissed her lips once more, trailing kisses along her jawline and to her ear, nipping the spot right behind her ear and down her throat. One of his hands was buried in her hair and the other was gently kneading a breast. He hadn't moved much, afraid he was going to cum soon. He hadn't had sex in a while and knew he wanted to try and get Rachel off once more before he was done.

“Josh,” Rachel bucked her hips a little, causing them both to groan in pleasure. Her fingernails ran down his back and she grinned wickedly at the goosebumps she made, grabbing a handful of his ass. “I want you to fuck me. Hard. Enough of this tender stuff...we've teased and played and everything else,” her eyes closed at him rolling one of her nipples through his fingers, pulling at it. “Please, babe.”

“Your wish is my command,” JC told her, running his hands down to her legs and bringing them up more to rest over his hips. He started out slow, glad they had taken a little time to just touch and kiss. He didn't think he'd explode now; starting the rhythm, chuckling at Rachel's hiss when he pulled almost all the way out to go just as slow all the way back in.

“Faster, Chasez,” Rachel almost begged, pulling his hair. She was rewarded, and sucked in a breath when she felt one of Josh's hands slip between their bodies to flick her clit. “Oh yes. Oh god, Joshua...mmm..”

JC swore softly to himself. She knew how to get to him. He loved to be talked to during sex, the moans and noises turned him on. “Cum for me Rach,” he whispered, kissing her softly. They were both starting to breath hard and his dick twitched. “Fuck,” he groaned, feeling her tighten up, getting faster and harder with each thrust.

“Mmmm..Josh..God..oh,” Rachel's words turned into incoherent moans until she came hard, yelling out his name, her fingers buried in his shoulders, encouraging him to cum right after her, which he did after a few more thrusts. A stupid smile came to her face when he put his head on her shoulder, his face buried in her neck. “You okay?” she asked, both of them sweaty and breathing hard, smelling like sex.

“I'm wonderful,” he replied, moving so he could slip his softening penis out of her and pull her to him. “How are you?” JC smiled when Rachel curled up to him.

“I'm alright,” she chuckled at his crestfallen look. “I'm perfect,” she told him, kissing his lips.

“Yes you are,” JC replied. He looked at the clock and groaned. “This video shoot's gonna be a bitch. And then you have that concert. Should I be worried about one of those Backstreet dorks stealing you away?” he asked with a smile.

“Not a chance,” Rachel played with JC's hair, making it stick up in odd angles. “I'm yours.”

“That's just what I wanted to hear,” he said as they both laid there in silence for a little bit. He would have been content to not have to go anywhere that day, but he knew they had to work later. “Would you be my girlfriend? I'll treat you good...” he half sang, grinning when Rachel laughed, watching her get up and find one of his shirts to wear after grabbing panties, getting up himself to pull on boxers. He pulled back the covers. “We smell like sex,” he pointed out.

“For once, Joshua, don't overthink it,” Rachel told him, crooking her finger and telling him to come to the bed. “We smell like sex because we had sex,” she pulled him down with her, tangling his legs with hers. “And I hope we wake up early enough to do it again.” She kissed his nose and grinned when he just smiled. “That's what I thought you said.”


*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^**^
Joey slipped on his pants, listening for any sound that the girl in bed had woken up. It had pained him to leave her like this, but he knew it was for the best. He couldn't have Melissa thinking that he could just have her slip back into his life. This was a one time thing. A one time thing that shouldn't have happened, but he didn't regret it for a second. They'd made love the first time in bed, then again in the shower until the hot water ran out and he'd laid with her until she fell asleep. They'd talked about nothing important, laughing at stupid jokes they'd had together and Joey singing to her. He'd wiped her tears and kissed her soundly, promising he'd be there when she woke up. He'd lied, he knew, slipping his wedding band back on. And he hated himself even more for it. After he was dressed, he gave her one last look before quietly leaving, the cab waiting for him at the complex entrance. “Mind if I smoke?” he asked, lighting up when the driver said no after he got in. It was the only thing that kept Joey sane, sucking in the nicotine.

“Have a good night, son?” the older man asked, driving him back to the address he'd given.

“As good as can be expected,” he replied, knowing Melissa would wake up and wonder where he was. Joey would be doing what he always did. Just trying to get through a day without her. He hoped and prayed when his son made his entrance into the world that he wouldn't be so hung up on what his life was like before now. It was hard at the present time not to dwell on that, so Joey let his mind wander. He prayed that someday the woman he'd left sleeping would understand.
Chapter 33 part 1 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
Real life stinks sometimes. Enjoy this chapter. Will try to update more than I have been. I blame my Joey muse...Please review. I love hearing what you think.
Rolling over, Melissa expected a body to be next to her. Her eyes popped open in surprise when it was nothing but the cool sheets, shivering at the air conditioning going full blast. “Joey?” she called out, thinking he just got up for a smoke or to go to the bathroom. Listening, she heard nothing. Sitting up, she turned on the lamp and saw that all of his clothes were gone, along with his wallet and cell phone. Getting up, tears welled up in her eyes when she saw the only thing he'd left. The cap he'd worn that day for the video shoot. She'd asked him sleepily if she could have it and he'd said of course. Melissa took it and let her fingers run over it, tears slipping down her face. She sat back down and grabbed her phone and sent off a text to Joey. A strangled sob came from her throat when it came back a few seconds later.

'This cell phone customer has blocked this number...'

Shutting her cell phone, Melissa slipped on some sleep clothes and turned the air conditioner off. It was silly to hope that anything had changed. That Joey was just going to come back to her. What hurt the worst was that he didn't even tell her goodbye. Hugging her pillow, more tears came as she cried herself back to sleep, all the while telling herself that she couldn't keep doing this.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Joey suppressed a yawn as he got off the private elevator and made his way to his room. He froze when he heard a door open, hoping it was someone unimportant that wouldn't care it was almost four in the morning and he was dressed in the clothes from the club, smelling of alcohol, cigarettes and sex.

“Have fun, Joseph?” Justin asked with a smirk. “Where the hell ya been, dawg?” The younger man walked over to Joey and looked him over. Joey looked like hell. “Make up's gonna have a field day in a little while. You fuck up today, and I'm gonna be on your ass...You even kiss Mel goodbye?”

“Fuck off, Justin. It's none of your goddamned business,” Joey muttered. “I just wanna go to bed a'ight?” He slipped the key card in and waited for the little light to blink green.

“A'ight, dude,” Justin mimicked Joey and held up his hands as if surrendering. “Just be sure to let us know who's gonna be coming to the hotel room. Don't wanna call somebody the wrong name...” his voice trailed off as Joey turned to glare at him. “You must have the life dawg. You got your wife and soon to be kid..the best friend who you're fuck-”

“You breathe a word and I'll spill every dirty secret you have, Timberlake. Stay the fuck out of my life,” Joey threatened, watching Justin pale a little. “We were both drunk. It was a one time thing,” he groused as if that could explain it away, letting the door shut in Justin's face without another word. He went to the shower and turned it on, intending to let the water get as hot as he could stand it. He told himself that it was a wake up call. He deserved to be happy in his marriage and if he kept it up, he knew there was a good chance of not being married or having his kid in his life. The latter was unacceptable.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Rachel opened her eyes when the phone rang and felt air hit her when the warm body she was next to moved to answer. She listened to JC say hello and then hang up, knowing it was their wake up call. “Just a few more minutes, C.” She smiled when she felt his hands on her body under the covers. “That's not sleep, Josh.”

JC kissed Rachel's lips and then grazed her neck with his teeth. “I wasn't planning on waking up early to go back to sleep.” He pulled her under him, his body on top of hers.

Rachel looked over at the clock and saw that it was a half hour before their actual wake up call. “Sneaky, sneaky Chasez.” She ran a finger along his jawline, marveling at the man that was with her. She loved him. And as much as she might not want to admit it, she had deeper feelings for him than she did for Lance. That didn't scare her, she welcomed it like now, letting JC make love to her before they needed to get up and get ready to do the rest of the video shoot for “Girlfriend”. “I love you,” she told him, running her fingers through his hair as he smiled.

“I love you too,” he replied, dropping kisses on her shoulder. “You sure you wanna go to that Backstreet concert tonight? I should feel betrayed,” JC teased Rachel as they made their way to the shower.

“What do you want me to do?” Rachel asked as he turned on the water. She touched him, letting her fingers graze over skin that was usually covered that she now considered hers. Goosebumps rose on JC's body at her touch and she chuckled softly. “I could make it up to you.” It was her best innocent look she could muster as he pulled her into the shower.

“Make it up how?” JC murmured as he pulled her to him so that they were touching, Rachel's breasts against him, turning him on more as the water ran down over them. He gave her a look before leaning in and giving her a soul searing kiss. His fingers were tangled in her hair and when she opened her mouth to take a breath, his tongue darted inside stroking hers, exploring once more. “I want you to be mine once more before we have to get ready today and act like we're only friends,” he said after breaking off the kiss, both of them breathing heavy.

“We are friends,” Rachel countered, biting JC's lip playfully as he growled, letting her hands rest on his chest before sliding them around his neck as he picked her up to press her up against the wall of the shower. Her back arched as she felt Josh's fingers run along her stomach between their bodies down in between her legs. She let out a moan when his thumb rubbed over her clit at the same time his teeth found her neck. “Oh...oh C..mmm..Joshua,” she groaned, tugging on his hair, trying not to slip more down the wet shower wall.

JC made Rachel lock her arms around his neck as he held her against the wall with one arm, his muscles straining a bit and her legs were wrapped around his hips. His erection pressed up against her and it took him a minute to get into position so he could slide into her. “Rachel,” JC breathed her name, feeling how tight and wet she was. “I love you.” He gave her a smile when she replied in kind, setting up a slow rhythm so he wouldn't be hurting her by shoving her hard against the wall.

Rachel moved her hips in timing with JC's thrusts, realizing that she could control how fast or slow they were going since he was holding her up. She shot him a dazzling smile and then proceeded to work her hips faster, twisting in such a way that let her get more of him in her. Biting her lip, Rachel watched JC as his muscles flexed, caught up in their lovemaking. He was the most beautiful thing she'd ever seen. He was watching her with guarded eyes; going from her face to her breasts and back. She was turned on more to know that he liked her body. Rachel's eyes closed, concentrating on the feeling she was getting. The familiar sensation of the tightening of muscles as she got closer to release. Her head leaned back and her mouth opened in a pant. “Faster...harder,” she instructed, yelling out his name after he complied, listening to him grunt and groan as their bodies slapped together, grinding against him as she came hard.

JC did as she asked, his whole body shaking when he came a few minutes later. He kissed her softly, quickly, as he tried to catch his breath. “Just remember who loves you while you're at that stupid concert,” he tweaked Rachel's nose gently as he set her on her feet, his legs feeling jello-y.

“Backstreet who?” Rachel huffed, grinning at him, closing her eyes for a moment. Her whole world felt perfect at that moment. And when she opened her eyes again, she sent up a small prayer that it would keep feeling that way.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“Jesus, you look like a fuckin' chimney,” Justin sniped at Joey as they rode to the video shoot. He was stuck by him and Lance, who was busy with his phone. “Not all of us want to smell like an ashtray, dawg.”

“I cracked the window, it's my lungs,” Joey groused back, blowing smoke out the crack in the window.

“What's up with you two? You act like an old married couple that's been in an argument,” Chris remarked, turning around. “Where's your hat, dude?”

Joey looked at Chris. “Why the fuck do you care, Kirkpatrick? Are you my hat's keeper? I couldn't find it.” He wasn't about to tell them where it was. That wasn't any of their business.

Justin shot a look at Joey and turned his head to Lance. “You talked to your sister? See what kind of night she had?” he asked.

The atmosphere in the van got eerily cold. Rachel turned around and gave Lance a look, raising an eyebrow at him and then her eyes found Joey's face. She couldn't see his eyes, hidden by sunglasses, but she didn't miss the way his lips were pursed. “Justin, trade me spots,” she told him. They were at a stop light and she unbuckled, making JC look at her.

“I'm good here, Chica.”

“I said move your ass and sit by JC or I'm going to tell wardrobe you need a damn haircut,” Rachel threatened, smiling sweetly at him when he groaned and got up quickly, switching seats and she flopped down by Joey.

“What's up Fatone?” Rachel asked, getting a grunt in response. She wrapped her arms around him and hugged him from the side, smiling when he moved his one arm and pulled her into a sideways hug. “You are the best one to hug,” she told him, giving an evil eye to Justin. In reality, Rachel wanted to be pissed at him. However she wasn't going to treat him like the redheaded step child on the bus. Justin could toss out insults enough for all of them. It was common knowledge between them what had happened.

“Oh, I am?” Joey said, pulling his sunglasses down and giving her a small smile. “How come?”

“Cause a hug from you can make anyone feel better...but..I didn't say that,” she told him. Melissa had always told her that a hug from Joey could make her whole day better. And Rachel thought he needed one now.

“My sister always said that,” Lance spoke up, looking at Joey as he laced his fingers through Rachel's after they'd quit hugging. He gave Joey a searching look until the other man looked away.

Chris looked at Joey. “I bet Mel knows where your hat is,” he said, getting a head slap from JC. “You got that shit eating grin on your face. Like koolaid...” he told Josh, quickly changing the subject from Joey to JC. “Who was it? Anyone we know?”

“No one you know. Or will ever know,” JC told Chris, shaking his head. At least at this moment, his secret was safe.

“You get some, dawg and don't share the horny details. What the fuck is up with that?” Justin asks, ribbing JC.

“I don't remember you telling sordid details, Timberlake.”

“That's cause it's none of your fuckin' business,” Justin retorted.

“Besides, you all know we're still 'good guys'...None of us are gay or doing anything we shouldn't be,” Lance said, a huge smile on his face as Joey snorted.

“Yes, life is perfect. We're perfect. The shit,” Justin told Lance with a laugh, turning around to look at Rachel, giving her a grin. “I mean, that's what you'd say right?”

“Oh yes, Justin,” Rachel rolled her eyes at him and shooting him a smile. “Everything except for your damn seven minute solo,” she teased.

“Good one, Weatherly,” Joey said, fist bumping her and flipping Justin off.

“Kids, play nice,” JC told them, turning around to look at Lance and Rachel. “I feel like a mother hen.”

“Somedays you are. With Chris and Joey it's like a kindergarten full of kids with ADD,” Rachel replied, blowing them both kisses.

“See if I don't spit in your drink later, Chasez,” Chris threatened, a huge smile on his face.

Lance looked between Rachel and JC, then leaned over to Rachel after the conversation had went quiet for a few moments. “Just a tip. Use different soap,” he kissed her temple to make it look like they were sharing a secret and not something so important. Lance could tell by soap or cologne who had passed him with his eyes closed. It wasn't an overpowering smell, but it was one he associated with JC. He gave her a smile when she blushed, putting his arm around her. That way she would soak up some of his cologne and it wouldn't matter.

The van pulled up and stopped, letting the guys off, the van that was in front with security and other various people unloaded as well.

“Okay, NSYNC and anyone else in the video, you need to get to make up and wardrobe pronto! Let's get this in the bag,” the director yelled, smiling at his cast that was assembled there. It was morning and it was cool outside, but he knew it would quickly warm up. Not just the temperature, but on the set as well when they got ready to do a walk through for the video shoot.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“Just ask me, Holly. I can tell you wanna know...or better yet, I'll just tell you,” Melissa sighed, looking at her friend as they went to pick up Rachel to go shopping and then back to Melissa's to get ready for the concert. “Joey and I came back to my place and things got...complicated. And now we're back to where we were before...”her voice trailed off.


“You can't keep doing this to yourself, Mel,” Holly told her as she got on the interstate.


“Yeah, I know. I'm trying...” she looked down at her phone when it buzzed. A smile crossed her face. “One AJ McLean just asked if I wanted to join him for dinner after the concert. What should my answer be?”


“Hell yes!”Holly said, smiling. “That should be your answer, cause that boy is hot.”


Melissa replied back with a yes. It was a start to letting herself get over Joey. She knew she couldn't stop loving him. That wouldn't happen. Part of her heart would always be his, but like Justin had said, she had to stop letting her life pass her by.


“There's Rachel,” Melissa said as they pulled in to the lot where the video had been shot. She watched as her best friend kissed her brother, talking to him before hugging him and then giving a look to JC. It was a quick look, but she figured Rachel's phone would be blowing up with texts between now and the concert. She gave a wave to her friend and rolled down the window when Justin came up to her side of the car.


“You're a traitor, you know that right Chica?” Justin said, putting half his body through the car to give her a hug. “But I still love you.”


“Glad to hear it, Justin,” Melissa said, hugging him back. “Now get out. We have important things to do. Like shopping for some concert attire.”


“Spanky panties and push up bras,” Justin teased, laughing when the girls glared at him.


“No one better be buying that crap,” Lance told the girls, walking up to the car.“Well, I can't speak for Holly,” he gave her a smile then looked at the other two women. “No going looking like a hooker.”


“Damn it, my hooker boots were all polished,” Melissa pouted, giving Lance an eyeroll. “You're such a worry wart. We'll be fine.”


“Says the girl who ended up in jail with her best friend singing 'I Drive Myself Crazy',” Lance muttered.


Holly's mouth dropped open and she stared at Melissa and Rachel. “I haven't heard this story yet,” she told them, causing them both to glare at Lance. “And someone has a date,” she sing songed the last word and looked at Mel.


“NSYNC sister goes out with Backstreet's bad boy,” Rachel quipped from the backseat, smiling when Melissa groaned and slunk down in the passenger seat.


“Melly's going on a date?” Justin said way too loud, which caused Lance to punch him hard in the shoulder. “Like Joey gives a fuck if she's going on a date...He's married.”


“Okay, we're going now,” Melissa told them, pushing Lance's fingers off the window. “If I miss you before you leave, I love you brother!”


“I love you too, sister!” Lance called back, laughing as the three girls all made kissy faces at him and Justin.


*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*


“This is by far the dorkiest thing I have ever done,” Melissa told the other two girls as they got ready. Other girls dressed like this to go to concerts. Ones who had pictures plastered all over their walls and thought they were going to marry said boy band member and have ten kids.


“I would have to disagree. Your high school locker looked like a shrine to Brian Littrell and then those damn pictures of Joey. If you'd have lit a candle in there we could have paid homage every day,” Rachel made a face at her while Holly laughed.

“It wasn't that bad, Ms. 'I love Nick Carter'.”


“Nick's gotten hotter since he's grown up some,” Holly said, with both of them agreeing.

The girls were all wearing Backstreet Boys t-shirts and jeans, make up done. Their hair was all back in one or two french braids and they looked the part of adoring fans. Silly, but not totally outrageous.

“And for the final piece,” Melissa said, fetching Joey's hat.


“Wardrobe chewed him a new ass,” Rachel said, her eyes narrowing. “You're seriously gonna wear that to the concert?” she asked, watching Melissa fiddle with her braids.


“I like the damn hat. No one has to know it was Joey's hat,” Melissa told her.

"Until the 'Girlfriend' video airs and people put two and two together between the hat Joey wears in the video and pictures from tonight," Rachel pointed out. But she had no room to talk. The hat JC wore during the video had wound up in JC's bag. She loved that toboggan.

“AJ wears hats like this.” She shrugged it off, not caring what they thought. Slipping on her glasses, she smirked at Rachel. “We should have dressed like hookers. Just to take a picture and send it to my brother. He'd have a stroke.”

"Can you imagine?" Rachel giggled. "We definitely should have! I can just see Lance's face."

"We could have gotten these t-shirts a size smaller," Holly jumped in tugging at the hem of her simple black shirt. It had a print of all five faces with Backstreet Boys printed down the left side in sparkly silver font. "Push up bras."

"Definitely a push up bra," Rachel looked down at her own less than endowed chest. Her t-shirt was also black but unlike Holly's hers simply had Nick Carter front and center.

"I need more than a push up bra; I need a miracle," Melissa said causing the other two women to burst out in laughter. "Bite me," she stuck her tongue out at them.

"AJ looks mighty happy to be snuggled right in the middle of your bosom," Holly commented on the AJ shirt Melissa was wearing.

"A sign of things to come," Rachel muttered to Holly under her breath. She shrieked when Melissa slapped her arm.

"That has more than one meaning," Holly grinned as Rachel broke out into laughter.

"You guys both suck."

"Quite well according to JC," Rachel grinned.

"I am not hearing this," Melissa covered her ears.

"You wanna hear about the time with Lance."

"Whore," Melissa and Holly said together. "And I don't want to hear about the time you did the nasty with my brother. So gross."

"Alright ladies," Holly said, holding her phone up. "Smile!" She snapped a picture of Rachel and Melissa sending it to Chris before she joined her friends. "Say NSUCK," she snapped the self portrait amidst the laughter and giggles.

"Send me all those," Melissa told Holly. Once the pictures came to her phone, she sent the group picture off to AJ. 'Ready to come see you rock it out, Mr. Smooth.' She giggled at his picture response, showing Rachel. "Hello, Mr. McLean," she said as Rachel shook her head. AJ had snapped a picture of himself giving a smirk and a raised eyebrow. 'See you girls in a bit.'

"Send the picture off to the guys," Rachel said.

"Why would the guys want to see a picture of AJ?" Melissa asked.

"Are you serious?" Rachel stared at Melissa. "The picture of us, you moron!"

"Oh right, sorry," Melissa laughed as she typed out a short text. "'NSUCKA!"

"Let's get our fangirl on, girls," Rachel said with a grin as they grabbed their debit cards and ID's while Melissa got her keys.

"Someone has to drive my car. It's sat long enough," she dangled the keys out in front of them. "Since I can't drive yet."

Holly and Rachel looked at one another and then Rachel grabbed the keys. "We're driving it back here. Or Holly will since you have a hot date tonight." She smirked.

"I guess I shouldn't wait up," Holly said as the girls left Melissa's apartment.

"I'll be home by curfew, Mother," Melissa said.

"Just drop me off back at the hotel with the guys so I can hop on the bus," she made a face. "Lance and I are sharing a bus with Justin for awhile."

"Awww," both Holly and Melissa chorused before giggling. "Poor Rachel won't be able to get laid for awhile."

Rachel stuck her tongue her tongue out at the women. "This is big stuff! The bus is really the only place we can be together without having to worry. But without arising questions, we had to switch it up. JC's on the other bus with Chris. Then Joey's got the one man bus."

"Don't scratch my car," Melissa said, getting in the passenger seat.

"Yes, Grandma," Rachel told her. "Holly, I"m glad you live next to her. You can hear her whine about traffic."

"I've heard it all. 'This traffic sucks. Why do they have six lanes? Are you sure you should be driving that fast?" Holly mimicked, jostling Melissa's shoulder in fun.

"You guys suck ass," Melissa muttered, looking out the window. She was excited for tonight, trying to keep herself from thinking too much about things she had no control over.
Chapter 33 part 2 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
End part of this chapter. Enjoy. Review!!!
“Backstreet's back, alright!!” the crowd sang along with Kevin, Howie, Nick, AJ and Brian as they danced.


AJ had spotted Melissa and her friends, making sure to give them a little wave as he worked the stage. He'd laughed earlier at her meeting Brian, going speechless for a few moments as her mouth and brain seemed to have a lapse in connecting.

“Happens all the time,” AJ told her smoothly as she blushed profusely, embarrassed at herself. He'd thought it was endearing. She hung out with the guys of NSYNC and flipped out at B-Rok. Of course after five minutes they were laughing about something stupid as her friend Rachel took a picture of them.


“I'm next,” he announced, sliding into where Brian had been, pulling Melissa close to him. “You excited?” he whispered, giving her a smile.


“Yeah. A little nervous...not been on a date with anyone in..a long time,” she confessed, smiling when Rachel told them to. “Or I should say, someone different.”

AJ just nodded, letting that comment go before grabbing Rachel's phone. “Get over there with Nicky C.” He smiled wide at Rachel and Nick who were shoved together for some pictures before Holly got pictures with Kevin. Then they had some group pictures before they went to get ready for the concert and the girls left to find their seats.

Now came the part of the show he loved. He was breathing heavy, his heart pounding after dancing through a couple fast numbers. The arena rocked, the fans were screaming and shouting. His ears were ringing. This was great! "How are you doin' Los Angeles!" He grinned as the fans grew louder. "We have some special ladies in the house tonight," he continued.

"Well now, AJ," Nick cut in, grinning. "All the ladies out there are special!"

"Very true, Nicky," AJ agreed. "But these three... these three aren't your typical fans. Would you believe one of them is dating a member from NSYNC?" AJ laughed as boos rang out.

"You're gonna get her hurt, man," Brian said, coming over to stand next to AJ.

"What are they doing?" Rachel whispered to Melissa as the five guys walked to stand in the section of the stage they sat in front of.

"I don't know, but I have a feeling I'm not gonna like it." Melissa whispered back she was beginning to feel as if everyone in the arena was looking at them.

"One is a sister of a member of NSYNC," Kevin continued, smiling as boos continued to ring out. "And she nearly cried when meeting B-Rok over here."

"Think she forgot her name," AJ interrupted. "Look she's blushing." When he pointed toward Melissa, the camera that projected on the big screen behind the stage turned and centered in on the three women.

Melissa could definitely feel the stares from the girls around them. Even in the noise, she could hear the whispers from the girls as they recognized her and Rachel. "I'm gonna kill him. AJ... all of them them."

"Right there with ya, Sister," Rachel whispered back, sending a smile to the girls around them.

"The other is a world class chef right here in Los Angeles," Howie added. "So we thought we'd bring them up on stage,"

"And embarrass them some more," AJ laughed.

"Along with a couple more of you beautiful girls," Howie continuing on as if AJ never spoke.

"He's dead. So dead," Melissa muttered as a security guard led them around the barrier and up on stage as the band started the intro to a song.

"Fucking dead," Rachel whispered imagining all the videos and pictures being taking of her right now. She watched as the guys produced stools.

"Come here Melissa," AJ said grinning, patting the wooden stool.

"You are dead," Melissa whispered. Her face aflame. She couldn't raise her head to look out into the sea of people. Her stomach rolled and she felt sick. 'Wouldn't that be fantastic?' She thought. 'If I get sick and throw up all over the stage and AJ. Though it would serve him right...'

"Oh Rachel," Nick sing-songed, crooking his finger in her direction.

"You're kidding me," Rachel said and walked toward Nick allowing him to take her hand as she sat on the stool. She felt a blush cross her face when he kissed her hand.

"Careful Nicky," Howie said as he led Holly to a stool. "Lance won't take too kindly to you hitting on his girlfriend."

'Or JC,' Rachel thought trying to imagine what JC will say when he finds out about this little stunt. 'And Joey,' she added looking to her left at her best friend.

Melissa's leg bounced as she waited for whatever was going to happen, happen. She was sitting on a stool with AJ behind her. She was on the end and she couldn't help but thinking how that mirrored Joey. Joey was usually on this end of the group. She quickly shook her head, ridding herself of those thoughts. She was on the end. On the stool next to her was a girl she didn't know. The girl was literally crying. The tears were streaming down her face and Melissa thought she was liable to pass out at any moment. She prided herself on not being that bad. Behind the hyperventilating girl was Brian. So Melissa couldn't think the girl was overreacting too much. After all, she was sure she looked exactly like that before the concert.

Next to the hyperventilating girl was Rachel with Nick behind her. Melissa smirked wondering what was going through her best friend's head. She watched as Rachel seemed relaxed as she laughed at something Nick had said. She even saw Rachel give a little wave to the crowd. She wished she could be as relaxed as her but Melissa felt like her heart was going to beat out of her chest. She didn't do the onstage stuff. No, her brother got all that. She was happy to stand in the shadows and watch all the girls cry over him.

After Rachel there was another girl but Melissa was too far away to see if the girl was hyperventilating number two or not. But she could see Kevin standing behind her. She smiled when that meant Holly was on the end with Howie.

Rachel's smiled wider when she heard AJ first, looking at her friend out of the corner of her eye.

“From the first day that I saw your smiling face, honey I knew that we would be together forever,” AJ sang, taking Melissa's hand as she blushed.

“When I asked you out, you said no but I found out, darlin' that you'd been hurt. You thought that you'd never love again...” Brian's voice floated across the stage.

Melissa swallowed hard at the song. She couldn't look out at the crowd. She hated being in the spotlight, but was being a good sport about it. Suddenly, she wished she hadn't worn Joey's hat. It hadn't mattered before, but now it felt like a bullseye. And she knew there would be pictures. Her eyes caught Rachel and she smiled wide, bigger still as she watched Holly and Howie. This was completely insane.

The noise was deafening when the song came to the end and the guys all hugged the girls. AJ kissed Melissa's cheek. “See you later, babe,” he whispered, giving her a grin and messing with her hat. The crowd had seen the kiss and went even more crazy.

“Kiss her,” came chants and Melissa buried her head in her hands.

Rachel looked over at Holly and made a 'yikes' face. This was quickly getting out of control. She'd admit that the guys from NSYNC did some crazy stuff on stage, bordering on insane, but her friend was caught in it. They were already marked for all the gossip columns and all the phones now took pictures you could send off.

“Do you think Mel here should kiss Bone?” Nick asked, throwing an arm around Melissa, pulling her back to AJ as she was trying to get away.

“Nicky. I'm all hot and sweaty...nothin' sexy here,” his gravelly voice said as girls screamed their disagreement.

“Just kiss him so we can sing,” Brian said, cheering when Melissa finally nodded.

Melissa knew it had to be over fast. She wanted off the stage. “You have to get back to work,” she told AJ as he pulled her close. The kiss was over dramatic for effect and she played her part, kissing him back.

“This can't be good,” Holly half yelled as camera flashes went off everywhere.

Rachel nodded and watched her friend get off the stage. When she took her friend's hand, it was shaking and she pulled Melissa to her. “If you want to leave, we will.”

“No,” Melissa replied, blowing a breath out, wiping a stray tear away. “We're having fun right?” she asked them both.

“You look pale,” Holly pointed out, looking concerned. “Sit and drink something,” she suggested as Melissa sat and sipped on the Coke she'd bought. It made her feel better, laughing at her friends who were singing along with an upbeat song. She was glad they'd come, watching AJ wink at the crowd. He was a charmer much like Joey was. Melissa couldn't help it, wondering momentarily what he was doing.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Joey checked his phone again and looked at the time. He raised an eyebrow when Kristen's name popped up and the phone rang. “Hey,” he said, smiling a little, “How are you? Everything okay?”

“I'm great, Joey. I have a surprise for you,” Kristen said, coming around the corner from where the hotel was, seeing him standing outside. “Look to your left.”

Joey did as he was told and his mouth dropped open and he went to his wife. “I thought you weren't supposed to fly...” he said, looking concerned, his hand going to her stomach protectively.

“We're fine. I had another week anyway,” she gave him a soft kiss, watching him study her. “You're happy to see me right?” Kristen grinned wider when Joey pulled her to him.

“Very happy,” he whispered. He pulled back, his hands on her shoulders. “I've been a mess Kris. I haven't been the husband I should have and I'm...I'm sorry. Forgive me?”

The tears came, which Kristen blamed on hormones. She was glad she could do this for his benefit. “Of course, Joey. You had a lot of stuff going on...the movie, touring, a family. We'll be just fine. I promise,” her mouth curved up into a smile as she kissed him. “Love you.”

“I love you too.” It wasn't the same. Joey realized it wouldn't ever be, but he had to be fine with it.
This was his life now. Kristen and the baby were his life. What he had with Melissa was in the past. There was nothing he could do to change it.
He led her into the hotel lobby, making small talk as they went up to his room. “We have an hour until we roll out. And I have the bus to myself,” he raised an eyebrow at her.

“Mr. Fatone, you're a bad man,” Kristen purred, running a hand over his scruffy cheek.

“That's what I've been told,” Joey said cheekily as he opened the door.

*^*^*^*^*^*^

Kristen and Joey were already settled on the bus by the time Holly and Rachel pulled up in Melissa's Mustang to drop Rachel off. The two girls got out singing 'I Want It That Way' loudly as the guys all yelled and booed.

“Yo chicas, that song sucks ass,” Justin said, coming to get Rachel's bags, slinging one over his shoulder. “Have fun? Where's my Melly?” he asked, not really figuring she went on the date. And what the hell are you wearing?" He asked finally getting a look at the t-shirts the girls adorned.

"Appropriate concert attire," Rachel grinned looking down at her shirt. "You don't like it?"

"How come you never wear my face to our concerts?"

"No one likes your face," Chris yelled as he stood beside Holly.

“She's became a Backstreet groupie,” Holly told him. “Mel and AJ left after the concert to go out clubbing.” She screamed when Chris picked her up and spun her around and put her down, running off and then coming back.

“No shit?” Justin raised an eyebrow. “This seems to be moving fast.”

“Whatever, Timberdork,” Rachel said, pulling Lance to her. “Cause my love is all I have to give,” she sang as he rolled his eyes, dancing with her. “Did you miss me?”

“Of course. Always,” Lance told her, listening to how hoarse she was. “You've never been hoarse after one of our concerts. Should I be jealous?” he grinned as she wrapped her arms around him.

“No. It's just..different,” Rachel told him, swallowing, hoping she'd feel better after a few hours. “Did you miss me?”

“We all missed you,” JC told her, giving her a wink. “Lance cried for an hour and we had to sing him stupid songs to cheer him up. Justin pouted because there was no one to aggravate besides Joey. And he's a chump.”

“So it was fun right?” Chris asked Holly as she hummed a different song. Joining in singing way off key for the rest of the chorus.

“It was awesome or we both wouldn't sound hoarse and our ears ringing. You sound like you're in a tunnel,” Holly told him. “I mean, it's the freaking Backstreet Boys. We were in the front row!”

"Nick Carter sang to me!" Rachel shrieked trying to do her best imitation of one of the teenagers in the crowds. The effect was ruined when her voice cracked and she coughed. "I am never washing this hand again!"

Holly giggled. "He touched more than that! You'll never shower again."

Rachel sighed dreamily, "I feel faint," she pressed the back of her hand to her forehead leaning back against Lance. "Nick was so hot," she coughed feeling the words tickle her throat. She covered her mouth and coughed harder, feeling Lance tightened his hold on her.

"You can tell which one of us screamed the loudest," Holly said dryly watching Rachel. "It was so awesome to be up on stage and having them sing to us. Of course, I was embarrassed as hell at first, but now it was so cool."


“And if that wasn't enough, that kiss on stage was...hot,” Rachel remarked, fanning herself as she looked towards JC. She could tell when he registered the words. His eyes narrowed as he stared at her.

The noise level got louder as four men started yelling all of them saying something different.

“What the fuck? Who kissed who?” Justin exclaimed.

“It better not have been you, Rachel,” Lance said, giving her a look.

"You jealous?" Rachel's voice cut out missing the first syllable in 'jealous'. She spoke to Lance, but her eyes drifted to sneak a peek at JC.

"Over Carter?" Lance rolled his eyes. "Please."

"Details ladies," Justin spoke up.

It was Holly and Rachel's turn to roll their eyes as the four guys gathered closer to hear the details. "Worse than old ladies at the beauty parlor."

"No kidding," Holly laughed. "So it happened like this," she started and began telling the story of how they ended up on stage as the Backstreet Boys sang 'I'll Never Break Your Heart'. "When the song was over, I gave Howie a hug and we walk across the stage. Rachel and Nick were hugged and were laughing when we get there. Then we turn and..."

"There's AJ giving Mel a kiss on the cheek..."

"A kiss on the cheek!" Justin bursts. "That's not a real kiss. I've kissed plenty of fans on the cheek."

"If you wouldn't have interrupted," Holly says giving Justin a look. Justin blushed and looked down like he'd reprimanded.

"The crowd started chanting 'kiss her, kiss her'," Rachel said, her voice cracking.

"Stop talking," Lance spoke in her ear.

"Easier said then done," she said, but only certain syllables came out. She caught JC's worried look and sent him a small smile. She couldn't believe she lost her voice at the concert. She didn't recall really screaming that loud but she did sing along with every song. But she had done that at all the NSYNC concerts and never lost her voice before. It was strange.

"So the crowd was chanting," Chris spoke up, he was antsy waiting to hear the story.

"AJ kissed her cheek and messed with the hat Mel was wearing," Holly didn't miss the exchanged glances between the guys. "And the crowd goes nuts yelling at him to kiss her. Mel was so embarrassed. She tried to get out of it. But in the end, AJ laid this over dramatic kiss on her, much to the crowds delight."

"This won't be good," JC muttered, running a hand through his hair. There was no telling how many pictures of the kiss will pop up onto the Internet. There would be no hiding it from Joey, especially if one of the rag magazines got a hold of one of the prints.

"Wait until Joey hears this," Chris sighs.


No one had heard the bus door open and Joey and Kristen come out.

“We having a block party we weren't informed of?” Joey asked, watching them all still and try and look somewhere else than at him and Kristen. “Have fun, girls?” he asked, watching them nod as he pulled away from Kristen to grab a cigarette. “Where's hop-a-long?” he said once he was far enough away from his wife to say it in a whisper. “And what was I supposed to not hear?”

“Apparently Mel got kissed. On stage,” Chris explained as the rest of them glared at him. “It was just some stupid concert thing,” he covered quickly.

"Yeah," Rachel spoke up despite Lance's orders not to talk. "I got kissed on stage too." She hoped to bring the attention off of Melissa's kiss to hers.

"What?" Joey asked staring at his friend's, none of whom could look at him.


“Oh. I saw a picture,” Kristen spoke up, forcing herself not to smirk. “It hardly looked like it was just some concert thing. It was one of those where you have no doubt both parties were enjoying it.”

Joey inhaled nicotine and held it in his lungs until he felt lightheaded and then exhaled, watching the smoke dissipate into the air. “Good,” he said, watching the group look like he'd gone crazy.

“Dude, he's finally lost it,” Justin whispered to JC, watching Joey methodically light another cigarette and inhale it.

“See?” Kristen had it saved on her phone from where she'd been sent the picture by her sister, shoving it in Joey's face. She smiled when he blanched and pushed the phone back at her.

“No one wants to see that shit at a concert,” he muttered, shaking his head. “Glad you had fun,” he said louder to Holly and Rachel.

“You got a smoke, Joe?” Justin asked, lighting up when Joey handed him one. “You're gonna smoke half a pack, dawg.”

“It's a long bus ride til we stop again. I got a carton.”

“It's still nasty,” Kristen informed them both, getting back on the bus. Her work was done.She smiled to herself remembering the look on Joey's face when she showed him the picture. It was better than she thought it would be.


Rachel stood in Lance's embrace not sure what to say, pretty sure that nothing could be said. The air around them turned tense and awkward. One minute they'd been goofing off and having fun one minute and the next... She sighed. "Mel...she didn't want this. She tried to get out of it. It was for show," she told him quietly. Her throat burned and it hurt to talk. She wasn't certain if Lance could even understand when her words came out cracked and broken.

"I'm sure it was," he replied. It wasn't that Lance didn't like AJ; he was just more worried about his sister. He didn't want her to just jump into a relationship, especially after what occurred last night. He wasn't sure what song and dance Joey and his sister were doing; he didn't want to get involved. He didn't want her to get hurt, but at the same time, he couldn't stop her either. She was old enough to make her own decisions. He gave Rachel and smile and squeezed her arm reassuringly. "It'll all work out. You know that."

Out of the corner of her eye, Rachel saw Holly and Chris hugging, then Holly and JC. She went over to bid her goodbyes. The party was over. "It was a blast," she told the brunette as they hugged. "We'll definitely have to do it again."

"How about an NSYNC concert this time?" Chris said. "We put on a better show."

"Not sure even the amazing and talented NSYNC could upstage this," Holly winked at Rachel. "Don't worry. I'll take care of Mel..make sure she doesn't get too wild and crazy. Rest your voice."

Rachel gave her a mock salute as Holly climbed into Melissa's mustang. Holly honked the horn and waved out the window as she drove away.

"I'm gonna miss you!" Chris grabbed Rachel into a tight hug, he faked sobbed. "First you ride with JC and now Justin, I'm beginning to think you don't like me."

"Awww," Rachel hugged the older man back. Her eyes met JC's over Chris's shoulder and she smiled softly at him. "I love you," her eyes never wavered from JC's.

"Let's run away together!" Chris pulled back gripping Rachel's hands. "It will be just you and me. You'll have to change that shirt though."

"You had me until the shirt." Rachel laughed, playfully pushing him away. "Sorry Chris." She heard the buses come to life behind her. It was time to roll out. "You'll have to cheer Chris up," she smiled up JC. "I broke his heart."

"I'll let him kick my ass in playstation," JC grinned hearing Chris's whoop, pulling Rachel into a quick hug. "I love you."

"Don't worry," she whispered after she told him she loved him. "Nick doesn't have anything on you." It was hard to pull away from JC, but she knew they couldn't hold onto one another.

JC's smile widened hearing the news. "Go rest your voice."

"You and Chris behave."


“I'm a perfect example of model behavior,” Chris said, looking hurt.

“Yeah and I'm St. Justin, patron saint of Bullshit.” The younger man punched Chris in the shoulder and looked between JC and Rachel. He knew something was there, but didn't say anything. “You better not pull off the hanky panky shit on my bus,” Justin told Rachel as he threw an arm around her.


"I'm gonna reenact the entire concert for your benefit Justin," she teased leaning into him. "Everybody! Rock your body!" She covered her mouth as she coughed.

Justin laughed, "No singing for you tonight, Chica." He said as they climbed onto the bus.

Lance shook his head watching as Rachel climbed up on the bus with his friend. He raised his hand sending a wave to JC and Chris. "Later," he said as they climbed up into the bus and he climbed onto his. He groaned hearing Justin and Rachel singing a bad rendition of 'Larger than Life'. This was gonna be a long trip.



*^*^*^*^*^*

“This is different than clubbing,” Melissa told AJ as she looked around at the nice restaurant they were at. The lighting was low and they were seated in a semi private booth. She saw a few curious glances their way, but thankfully no one interrupted. The concert alone was gonna be enough to raise eyebrows and garner whispers. She gave him a smile as she sipped her drink he'd ordered her. There was a lot of rum in it from the taste and it made her relax just a bit. Clubbing the night before was different than dinner. And Melissa wasn't sure what to say so instead she just studied her menu intently.


“Are you always this quiet?” AJ asked, pulling her menu down a little and giving her a smile. “Or is it just because I'm used to women talking my ear off?” he took a long drink of his beer, studying her.


“Probably the second. And I just...” she shrugged, not sure of what to say that didn't involve Joey somehow. Melissa stared at the hat now sitting beside her, fiddling with it. She wished she would have left it at home. It seemed like a good idea to wear it tonight but now it was a glaring reminder of something that wasn't hers anymore. “I'm not good at this. It's been a long time since I've been on a date that didn't involve..." her words tampered off. She didn't want to speak his name out loud. "It's not going to work,” she told him softly, apologizing.

"Hey," AJ moved around the booth so he was sitting closer to her and took her hand. "I don't expect you to come back to the hotel," he gave Melissa a small smile. "You were cool last night; what happened?" He stared at her a minute before stiffening. He dropped her hand. "You weren't playing me for his sake were you? Trying to make him jealous?"

"What?" Melissa asked stupidly. She stared at AJ seeing the hint of anger rising in his brown eyes. "No, I would never... I'm not that kind of girl. I enjoyed talking with you last night and hanging out."

"Then why are you so nervous tonight?" AJ asked breathing slowly as he tried to let go of the anger that had risen sharply at the thought of being played. He had been in this business for awhile now; he might have been naive and green around the edges when the group first started, but now he was a pro. He could spot a woman who was trying to play him a mile away. He didn't like thinking that Melissa had slipped under his radar.

"Probably because this is a date and last night wasn't," Melissa said truthfully. "Last night we just ran into each other. There was no expectations. We were just two people having fun."

"Why can't we be two people having fun tonight? Why do we have to put a title to what we're doing?"

Melissa stared down at their hands, still entwined on the table and thought about AJ's words. He was right. Why can't they just be two people having fun? Why did she have to label it? She sent him a smile and when he smiled back she felt herself finally begin to relax. "You remembering seeing the group pictures of NSYNC and Justin with the horrible bleach dye job?"

"Yeah," AJ laughed. "We made fun of him for weeks. We wondered what kind of bet he lost."

"Well," Melissa grinned, settling in. "It started like this."

*~*

AJ was roaring with laughter as Melissa finished telling him about a practical joke from the No Strings Attached tour that left Chris hanging upside down in the middle of the stage. "And they left him there?" He sat back against the booth laughing.

"Turned the lights out and everything," Melissa wiped the tears that rolled down her cheeks. Her stomach cramped from laughing so much. "The best part was he assumed one of the guys did it."

"And they didn't?"

Melissa shook her head. "No, Rachel did. There was a couple weeks there where he just constantly picked on her; jokes, pranks, just being flat out irritating. She finally got fed up."

"And strung him up. Oh shit, that's awesome."

Melissa's cheeks hurt from grinning so much. Their dishes, void of food, sat before them. She could barely remember eating the meal, but she must have because when the waitress came by asking if they wanted dessert, her stomach protested. Even though they turned down dessert, they got refills on their drinks. They sat in silence waiting while the waitress cleared some of their dishes away.

"Tell me something about you that doesn't have to do with anything recent."

"Okay, wow," Melissa said, leaning back to think. "My favorite holiday is Thanksgiving. And the best one that wasn't recent was when I was sixteen. Rachel invited me to have it with her family so we flew up to The Hamptons to have it with the hoity-toity Weatherly's. The kind of dinner that was served in a formal dining room. You didn't serve yourselves, you were served. Wine was sipped and you better not eat with the wrong fork."

"Did you?"

"Are you kidding me? I never ate with the right utensil," Melissa rolled her eyes. "A fork is a fork is a fork. I can eat my salad with the same fork I eat my turkey with! I remember one dinner I had there, not Thanksgiving, but another every day meal. It was the same kind of deal. You sit in the formal dining room and no one talked. How can you eat dinner without talking? I couldn't take it. I had to talk. I was school age at the time, I can't remember, fourteen or something like that, it was before that Thanksgiving dinner. Well the silence was getting to me. So I started talking about the Friday in school."

AJ knew the story had to be good when Melissa started laughing before she could even begin to tell it.

"Oh God, Rachel's grandfather, the Emperor of the Weatherly fortune..."

"Emperor?" AJ snorted.

"He can probably purchase a country just from the cash he carries on him."

"You're kidding?"

Melissa shook her head. "Probably. He's a tight ass."

The words caused AJ to laugh again. His date had just called one of the richest men in the country a tight ass. The laughter didn't stop as Melissa spun a story about health class, girl's periods, boners and condoms. "You're making this shit up?"

"Swear to God," Melissa crossed herself. "I thought Rachel's grandfather was going to have a heart attack. Rachel's parents were staring at me in shock. Rachel had her nails dug so tight in my thigh to get me to shut my mouth that I have the scars to show. So back to the Thanksgiving dinner..."

"What story did you tell this time?" AJ asked, taking a drink of his beer.

"No story," Melissa said. "It's my favorite because all my life I lived in Mississippi and then Florida. Here I was up north in November. It snowed so much that year! It was the first time I had ever gotten to see snow up close like that. I was able to go outside and play in it. We built snowmen, had snowball fights. I called Lance to rub it in, tell him every detail. He was so jealous. It's silly, but it's one of the best weekends ever."

"It's not silly," AJ told her truthfully. "It tells me that you value the small things in life that other people, especially people we are surrounded by, take for granted day after day."

"I'm just one of those girls who thinks holidays and birthdays are important. Friendship and laughter. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have Rachel in my life. And Holly has became vastly important as well in such a short amount of time. We're laughing together, crying together. We always have a good time. Those moments are important to me. I'm the sort of girl who will start singing in the middle of the mall or in the aisle at a store. I send goofy cards for birthdays."

"You sound pretty amazing. Sort of too good to be true."

Melissa laughed softly. "I'm also the kind of girl who is better at running away from things when I can't handle them. Which is why I'm in California, on the other side of the country from my family. I could have probably gone further - Hawaii or Alaska. I may like the snow, but Alaska's just too damn ridiculous."

"And Hawaii?"

Melissa blinked. "You know, now that I think about it, I should have chosen Hawaii. Least there isn't bumper to bumper traffic every single time I want to go out. There isn't six lane high ways and people who drive like the beach is going to disappear if they don't get there in a hurry. The very first week out here, Rachel and I wound up in an accident," she motioned toward her foot, still encased in a walking boot. "This is a hang up. I should have taken it as a sign to pack up and head back to Florida, but..."

"Here you are," AJ nodded in understanding. "You're only human, Mel. We all have our own demons to deal with. Some more than others. The woman who raised me - other than my mother, passed away earlier this year. It sucked. It still sucks. I still find myself when something great happens to me or the group, wanting to pick up the phone and call her. Then I remember that she's not there anymore and it's like I've just lost her all over again. If I didn't have those guys and the music, I'd be so fucked up," he confessed. "So in a way, we need each other. I need a friend. Someone to call at three in the morning when I can't wind down."

"Sure why not; I mean what else do I have to do at three in the morning besides sleep," Melissa teased.

"Sleep is overrated," AJ replied. "Best things happen at night," he grinned when Melissa blushed. He signed the credit card receipt and scooted from the booth. Just like throughout most of the dinner, her hand slipped into his. "So," he said as they walked from the restaurant. "How did you like the show?"

"It was great! I like that there was a lot of ballads. NSYNC has a much faster show. High octane, more dancing. You do some of both. It's two completely different shows, you can't compare them really," Melissa told him as they walked down the sidewalk in the night as the conversation spun off onto other topics. For the first time in a long time, she was having fun with guy. 'Maybe this is what life is life after Joey,' she thought, trying not to be sad at the thought. He had a life and now she had to find hers.

“So tell me something about you... Do you really like some of those god awful hats you wear?” she asked after they had walked in silence for a few moments. “Okay, they aren't all god awful..but the bright yellow hat with the red feather in it for the Tiger Beat magazine,” Melissa made a face as AJ shook his head.

“Some of them are just for the photo shoots. You know that,” AJ chided her. “Some of the clothes are awesome. I do have a lot of hats. And sunglasses, of course,” he chuckled. “I could buy out a shoe store if the mood strikes me.”

“So could Rachel, but I doubt you and her wear the same size shoes. I like shopping...just not on a professional level. I have some high end clothing, a lot of it for going out with my brother or whatever. I don't sit at my place in a Vera Wang dress and Jimmy Choos while I watch tv.”

“That's funny to think about. Might be an interesting photo shoot,” AJ told her, chuckling at what she'd said. He could tell she wasn't one of those girls who dressed up, just from what she'd worn to the concert. It didn't bother him. He wasn't into women who wanted drama, he had enough of that just day to day. “Sometimes I hate the job part of what I do,” he said after a moment. “Not the fans or the music, just the bullshit.”

“There's a lot of it,” Melissa remarked as they turned around to head back to where the car was parked. “Although there is one thing that makes it better.” She gave him a grin.

“What's that?” he asked, curious to know what she was going to say.

“That no one came make decisions for you, but you.”

“How'd you get so smart, babe?” AJ pulled Melissa close so he could wrap an arm around her.

“That's easy. I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once.”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

'You still awake?' the text asked, making Joey's phone vibrate across the table where he sat watching an episode of “The Twilight Zone”.

'Yeah, why?' he replied to Justin, sighing heavily. His mouth twitched, wanting some nicotine. He'd wanted another cigarette since a couple hours ago when Kristen had announced she was going to sleep. If he'd truly been by himself on the bus, he'd have the back window open and smoked.

'No reason.' Joey rolled his eyes. Justin had to be bored if he was texting at almost two in the morning. He put his phone face down and on silent. He wasn't in the mood to talk to anyone. He'd talked to Kristen for a while, but all the thoughts on his mind weren't the things coming out of his mouth. Now that he was alone, he could let his mind wander and try to figure out his feelings.

The picture of AJ kissing Melissa had shocked him. He knew part of what Kristen had said hadn't been true. His friend had changed, but not that much. Melissa was still Mel and she wouldn't be all over a guy like that in front of that many people. Not unless it was just for fun. A frown came to Joey's mouth and he ran a hand through his hair. It still pissed him off. His hat was on her head. Like a slap in the face.

As much as Joey told himself his thinking wasn't going that way, it did. There wasn't anyone to tell him he couldn't and his heart wouldn't listen to his brain. If..if they had gotten married, where would they be now? He could picture it in his mind. His 'alternate' life. Joey's mind took flight and he could picture Melissa and him making love every night, trying to make a baby. Doing nothing on the days off, being silly and in love. They could have been pregnant already and Joey rubbed his eyes hard. This was the last time, he told himself. Melissa had moved on. He was happy for her, he supposed. Joey had to be happy for her. What good did it do to be jealous? His heart ached at the thought of getting the invitation to a wedding. He knew how it felt now. Not about her getting married, but the other side of the coin. That he couldn't have what he wanted. That Melissa put aside what she wanted for him when he needed her the most on a day that should have been happy. She let him go because she loved him. Part of Joey was selfish. He'd wanted to keep her for himself, even if he wasn't with her.

His thoughts jumbled up then. Of Kristen and their baby. He was excited for that part, of being a father. Joey was glad to be married to the mother of his child. It was the right thing to do, not wanting the child to think they were a mistake of some sort, since he believed kids were a blessing. And he and Kristen both needed time to work out everything for themselves. He'd give himself a hundred and ten percent to this marriage. And while that thought came, he shook his head slightly. No matter what other man Melissa had in her life, she was still someone he cared about. And if a hair on her head was messed with, they better pray that God came to get them before he found out about it. Joey consoled himself with that thinking since the rest of the guys felt that way. Lance's little sister was family.

Joey's eyes caught the television and he smirked before turning off the television. “Dirty Dancing” was playing the opening credits. “I've had the fucking time of my life,” he half sang in the darkness, making his way to his bunk. It was then he thought about his phone and gave it the finger. Justin could bitch at him tomorrow.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*

'Don't call, can't talk' Rachel texted JC, frowning. Her voice was gone. Lance had babied her, making some hot tea with lemon and honey and finding some cough drops with menthol to help numb her throat. She'd felt hot and achy some and didn't want to lay there with Lance in his bunk. Justin had actually chilled out after the bus got rolling, watching some tv before going to bed. Lance was playing nurse and then Rachel made him go to sleep. She'd changed into her pajamas and climbed in the bunk with him and got hot.

'And I'm not there to take care of you. Damn.'

Rachel smiled at JC's words, picturing him frowning at the phone aggravated that he was stuck with Chris and not with her. 'It's okay, C. I love you. You need sleep.'

'I love you. You aren't sleeping either'' came the reply.

'I don't have anything to do later but find a doctor's office. I feel like shit.'

Rachel sighed when her phone rang, seeing JC's name come up on caller ID. She hit send, smiling at JC's voice telling her not to talk.

“I just had to call and tell you that I love you. Chris's got his headphones on and they're loud as hell,” he said. “I wish you weren't feeling bad but I think next time you aren't allowed out with Mel and Holly. They corrupted you with that evil music and now you can't talk.”

Rachel wanted to laugh. She could hear the teasing in Josh's voice and shook her head.

“But now that you can't talk, I can tell you whatever I want and you can't interrupt,” JC sat in the recliner in the back and flopped down. He was beyond tired but he wanted to talk to Rachel. “I love you and I have to say that last night and this morning was amazing. And I think you're amazing. And since you can't argue with me and tell me to stop, I must say that you are beautiful and funny as well. I love the way I feel when I'm with you and the fact that you make everyday a better one than the last. And I can't wait until I can tell everyone that, Rachel,” JC's voice trailed off, hearing her sniffle. “And now that I made you cry, I'm saying goodnight. Love you, Rach.” He hung up and leaned his head back on the chair. His phone buzzed and he looked at it.

'I love you and you so earned brownie points. And there are so many things I want to say back, but not in text. I will see you tomorrow. Get some sleep so you don't act like a complete troll. ;)'

JC snorted. He didn't act that bad he decided, shaking his head. He replied with a goodnight and let his mind wander as he drifted off, not moving to his bunk. He smiled as Rachel came to the front of his thoughts. Josh wanted her there, could picture her curled up in his arms. Most of all, he wanted to be taking care of her while she was sick. He knew Lance cared for Rachel, knew that his friend would take care of her fine. However, much like after he'd heard she had a wreck in California, JC knew he wouldn't be fine until he saw Rachel later.
Chapter 34 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
I got a job and so now real life has taken over. what a major bummer. However, here is more of Between Friends. :) Thanks for reading and reviewing. I love to hear what you think.
1forWeather: you there?

Supermanzgirl: no, I disappeared ;) yes you dork

1forWeather: bite my ass, Bass! Doc said I have strep throat. So now I gotta wear a nice mask and no smooching

Supermanzgirl: Poor boys. Did they give you meds? Wish I was there...or you were here. Did you see the lovely pictures?

1forWeather: Yes, antibiotics twice a day. Looks like a damn horse pill. What lovely pictures? You're talking in half sentences, damnit. I hate that!!

Rachel figured she knew what pictures, clicking on the link when it popped up in her messenger screen. AJ and Melissa looked cozy as they walked and she sighed when she read the headline. Of course the paparazzi would make up some stupid headline to sell. And they would bring Joey back into it.

'Former Fatone love interest finds flame with Backstreet's bad boy'

1forWeather: Who makes up these shitty headlines? You know it's a load of crap, Mel.

Supermanzgirl: I know. AJ and I just hung out. We didn't 'do' anything. He's a cool guy...I told him stories about Thanksgiving with the Weatherly's in the Hamptons. I haven't laughed that hard in a while. It was nice.

Rachel smiled as she typed back to her best friend. The doctor had told her to rest as much as possible and to not leave the hotel room unless absolutely necessary. It had been fine with her, since Lance and JC both had come to check on her. Even though she couldn't talk, she'd made the most of her time with JC. Her smile became bigger as she thought of Josh's hands on her, working her pants down before bending her over the bed. There had been no kissing, doctor's orders, but she'd wanted him and JC obliged in other ways. It was a good thing that Rachel's voice was shot, because she was certain she would have been screaming JC's name. Her mind went from that back to the conversation, frowning at the next question.

Supermanzgirl: Did Joey see? :(

1forWeather: Unless he was struck blind, then my best guess would be yes. Lance texted me earlier and said Joey is 'in a mood'

Supermanzgirl: If he smokes any more, I am nicknaming him Train...as in, he smokes so much he looks like a freight Train.

1ForWeather: Real mature, Mel.

Supermanzgirl: better than fuzzy wuzzy ;)

1forWeather: Why are we even having this conversation? You're now a Backstreet girl.

Supermanzgirl: NSYNC hoe.

1ForWeather: Groupie slut.

Supermanzgirl: I love you, Weatherly. Xoxo

1forWeather: I heart you too, Bass. :*

Supermanzgirl: Guess I'll have to change my s/n now. Fuck.

1ForWeather: How about Ilovecheetahhats

Supermanzgirl: fuck you. Yours could be IbangSkinnyWhiteGuys...or Jcspenisinspector

1forWeather: Mine was nice, asshat.

Supermanzgirl: That's Ms. Asshat to you.

1ForWeather: I say leave it the same. Piss people off.


Melissa saw a new messenger pop up and smiled. Her other favorite person to chat with was on his phone.

Ckirk4Pres: What up, babygirl?

Supermanzgirl: N/m old man. Love ya.

Ckirk4Pres: Love you too. How's Cali?

Supermanzgirl: Too sunny. How's...wherever you are.

Ckirk4Pres: ha. Detroit. Eh, it's okay. Joey almost choked Justin for making a crack about the pictures floating around. Not seen Fatone move that fast since the Dominoes guy tried to run off with the pizzas. ;)

Supermanzgirl: :( What did Justin say?

Ckirk4Pres: Something abt his hat being tossed on the floor along with clothes... It wasn't pretty. We miss you, Mel.

Supermanzgirl: Miss you too, Christopher. Gonna get off here. Holly's coming over to teach me some chef stuff... I'll be on the five o clock news for setting my apartment on fire. :p

Ckirk4Pres: I'll call the locals for you. Tell Holly I said to wear the pink lacy ones and see how red she turns.

Supermanzgirl: Perv! Behave...take care of Joey for me.


Rachel and Chris both said their goodbyes via instant messenger and then saw Melissa's screen name go grey.

Rachel figured the name wouldn't change. It was a pain in the ass to mess with. And since Mel was sentimental about it, it would stay the same.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Joey sat on the couch in the dressing room, mindlessly flicking buttons on the controller. He didn't really care about the game. Lance had long since taken the lead in the game and he was just doing something to keep from smoking more. He knew he had to cut back. He was getting more winded and his voice starting to get gravelly, or at least more so than usual. The physician that traveled with them recommended that he cut it down from a pack a day to half to start out with. “Let's play another game,” he told Lance, who looked at him like he was crazy.

“I just handed you your ass,” Lance said, watching Joey shrug. It had been a while since they'd talked. Kristen was at the hotel and the rest of the guys were out on some tour thing of a car plant. It wasn't a group activity and Joey hadn't wanted to go, so Lance had stayed behind to spend time with his best friend. “You hate this game.”

“So the fuck what... You're having fun, right?”

“You're not,” Lance shut the game off and looked over at Joey as he threw the controller down. “I know you're pissed about what Justin said..”

“That little fucker has no idea how I feel! I know those fuckin goombahs write whatever will sell. And I know your sister. You know her! She wouldn't act like that!!” Joey yelled, his chest heaving as his emotions came out. “And I'm so fucking jealous I could choke that skinny bastard and Justin. And what's more; I'm married! And everytime I try to separate my feelings for your sister and my life, something always brings it back around. I have to let her go...I didn't think I'd have to,” Joey ran a hand over his face and groaned, trying hard to keep his voice from cracking. “And every morning I wake up and remind myself I can't call her or talk to her. I make myself live in this Hell, Lance.”

Lance sighed, looking at Joey. He took his phone out and messed with it, pulling up a screen. He'd promised his sister...and at the same time, Joey needed to hear this. “If I read you this, I'm going to Hell. Since Mel basically made me swear on a stack of bibles..”

'Last night was the first time since New Year's Eve that I have laughed. I mean, really laughed. And for once I wasn't worried about Joey. I felt guilty afterward when I got home. Who's going to worry about him if I don't? He still looks skinnier. I don't like skinny bastards...but here I am, hanging out with one. I can tell you this because you won't reply and try to fix it. As my brother, you are going to just ask me if I'm sure this is what I want. And tell me if someone hurts me that you'll kill them. Or at least maim them really good,” Lance smirked, his eyes flicking to Joey, who was standing there. 'I'm not saying I'll ever be over Joey. That is something I deal with in doses and there is not enough of anything in the world to make that go away. I keep it bottled up,buried so that it only leaks out in moments when it's quiet. I can still hear him sing me those stupid songs and when one comes on the radio, I cry. Don't tell anyone, but I still can't listen to ITSK. The first (and last) time I did, I made myself sick. Anyways, back to this rambling. I am not saying AJ is 'the one'..I don't even know if it will be anything more than what it is. But last night, it was good to have a friend that was a guy. And to laugh. I missed it. I miss you, big brother. Give all the guys a squeeze from me. Even Fatone. And tell him his nickname is Train. Cause he smokes so much and looks like he's gonna run something over. Of coure I end up thinking about Joey again. See how much help I need? 'Dr. Kravitz, you have a visitor in the main lobby'
Chapter 34 part 2 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
Part two of this chapter
Lance closed the email and looked at Joey who was standing there visably shaking with emotion. “She's letting you go again. You have to let her go, Joe. No one said you two had to forget about each other. I know my sister. She just wants you happy. And you just want her happy, right?”

Joey nodded. He wanted a cigarette bad. He wanted a whole pack at once, wondering if it would make him stroke out. “Train, huh?” he muttered, shaking his head. “Choo choo motherfucker.” He chuckled, reaching for his cigs and lighter. He'd agree to let her go if that's what Melissa wanted.

“What are you humming?” Lance asked as they walked out with Mo so Joey could smoke.

“I Will Survive,” Joey replied, flicking his lighter and inhaling, giving the blonde man a smile.

Lance grinned and shoved his hands in his pockets. It sounded like something smart ass his sister would say. He just prayed hard that it would work out. For their happiness and his. It wasn't bad being essentially single, but at the same time it sucked. He was still looking for his “Mr. Right”. That was going to be a long search. He wanted the fairytale...man of his dreams. However, Lance knew reality had a way of interfering in ways you had no control over, so he kept that one to himself.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“See, you can do it,” Holly smiled proudly at the dinner before her. It was just eggs and pancakes and bacon. However, the eggs weren't burnt and the pancakes were fluffy. Bacon was crisp. “It's breakfast that's not out of a box or in a microwave.” She made a face at Melissa who flipped her off.

“Like I'm gonna cook this just for me,” Melissa told her, looking at the food. “Who am I cooking for?”

“Some random hot guy...” Holly shrugged, giving her a smile.

“Speaking of random, Chris mentioned something about pink lace panties,” Melissa held her hand up before Holly could speak. “I have no desire to know what you and Kirkpatrick talk about. He just said it to embarrass you, which has worked.” She grinned and pulled out her phone and took a picture. “I'm sending this shit to Justin. He'll think it's fake food.”

“He wouldn't,” Holly said, pulling out the pancake syrup and laughing when Melissa nodded.

“Chris said he was calling the fire department to put them on notice. Keep your man in line, Witten.”

“He's not my man yet,” Holly felt herself blush. She was hoping. Chris texted her a lot, or caught her online at weird hours. It worked for them and she found him hilarious. It was like talking to a big kid even though he was the oldest. And when it came down to it, Chris was just normal. He appreciated the little stuff more so than a lot of guys making the money that they were raking in. She'd found out why during one of their marathon chat sessions. He'd grown up poor. He'd told her that one time he'd yelled at his mom when they had the same supper for three nights in a row, not understanding that was all she could afford. And Chris explained that every city they went to, he always searched the NSYNC message boards to find parents who had kids who wanted to go to a concert but couldn't afford it. What was a couple hundred bucks or so? Holly had cried at that, listening to him talk about his dogs at home and how he missed his grandmother who'd passed away last year. The thing that had gotten her was what Chris had said after that. “I think she would have liked you. Cause I like you.” That had made her smile.

In turn, she told him about her family. Her family was scattered all over and they all worked pretty normal jobs. Holly had grown up with her parents and was close to her siblings and cousins. They had a lot in common, love of sports and animals and music. He told her sometime he wanted to take her to a hockey game to which she readily agreed. It had made her smile until she'd fallen asleep later that night, reluctant to get off the phone.

“Earth to Holly,” Melissa waved a hand in front of Holly's face, grinning when her friend's eyes moved and focused on her, “Have a nice day dream?” Her lips curved into a smile.

“Yeah, sorry. I'm tired. I stayed up way too late on the phone,” Holly blushed a little when Melissa whistled, grabbing their drinks. “How was your dinner?” she asked as they sat.

“It was good. Fun,” she told her, digging into her pancakes and stuffing some into her mouth before Holly could ask anymore.

*^*^*^*^*

Justin felt his phone vibrate and he grabbed it, ignoring the groans since they were about to get into wardrobe for the concert. “That's fake food,” he muttered, laughing at the next picture of Melissa flipping him off as she took a big bite. 'Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie' he texted, sending off his own picture flying the bird. 'Love you Chica' he added, tossing his phone back into his bag.

“What was that about?” JC asked, raising an eyebrow as the wardrobe people put his jacket on him where it wouldn't mess with his mic.

“Lookout, dawg. Our Melly's cooking now, Watch out Julia Child,” Justin quipped, smiling big. He was proud of her. It took a lot to get her out of her comfort zone. And he figured she was scared to death but he knew if she could survive Los Angeles, everything else would be gravy.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“You'll be here in a couple hours?” Melissa half yelled, her finger in her ear standing just outside the club. It had been almost a month since she'd seen Rachel and wasn't about to miss seeing her friend. Her shift ended in half an hour and that would leave her enough time to get to the airport.

“Yes! Gate 25 American coming from Orlando. It sounds like a circus. How's the job?”

“Best damn job in my life,” Melissa told her, grinning. “I get paid to play music and watch people dance. I gotta go, Weatherly. Love you!”

“Love you too, Mel. See you in a little while.”

Melissa shoved her phone back in her pocket and waved to the people outside smoking. She'd gotten this job a few days after the Backstreet concert on a fluke. She and Holly had went out and spotted the advertisement for a DJ. After a few late night calls to Chris about turn tables, which she'd watched him master, Melissa Bass was spinning tunes five nights a week, bringing home some good money. The best part was getting to pick out some of her favorite songs, setting the mood.

Time flew and before she knew it, Melissa was parking her Mustang in the parking lot of LAX. She looked down at her outfit and smiled. She was wearing a form fitting top with some flare jeans and Doc Martens. Her hair and make up done for work. Rachel would be proud that she was dressed in something more than just a t-shirt and no make up. And the best part was that her walking boot was off. The doctor told her not to go running a marathon, but it had felt so good to not mess with getting around. Pocketing her keys and putting her purse on her shoulder, she sent off a quick text.

'At LAX, can't wait to see you!'

'Me either! A whole week to relax and not be on a bus.'

Melissa smiled at the response. Rachel loved touring but being stuck on a moving bus was getting to her. She'd sucked it up for Lance and JC's sakes, but she'd plainly told her best friend that she wasn't cut out for life as a roadie. Melissa was the opposite. Well, she used to be, she thought. In the last five years, Joey hadn't changed much. Bus living with him took talent. At least this year he was putting his dirty clothes in a hamper and the trash in the trash can. Anything else was suspect, but the Joey pillow was always available and more than once she'd taken advantage of the opportunity to use Joey to soak up heat since his bus was colder than Grant's tomb the last time she'd went on tour. Her mind strayed to him every once in a while and she closed the lid on that line of thinking when the doors automatically opened for her and she went towards where Rachel would be exiting the plane.

Her phone buzzed and she smiled at the text from JC. Melissa typed out a quick reply that she'd have Rachel call when she landed. He worried more than a woman, but she knew that was JC's personality. He and Rachel had grown close and Melissa had spent time talking with both Rachel and then Lance. Her brother was happy, but she knew he was struggling not to be disappointed that he wasn't able to come out and have the relationship he longed for. Her head snapped up when the call for the flight came in and she grinned.

“Weatherly!” Melissa yelled, quickly making her way to her friend and hugged her tightly.

“Who are you? You sound like Mel,” Rachel teased her, hugging her in return and then holding her at arm's length. “Who took you shopping?” she raised an eyebrow at the outfit.

“When in L.A...” she shrugged, linking her arm through Rachel's. Melissa grabbed Rachel's suitcase off the terminal and grinned. “How do you feel about Chinese?” she asked when they got to her car, getting in.

“Chinese sounds good,” Rachel said, praying the queasiness would go away. After strep throat, she'd had about of some sort of stomach virus a couple weeks after that came and went.

“Well then what sounds good?” Melissa asked as they pulled out of the airport. “Hey buddy, the gas is on the right!” she yelled, honking her horn.

“Oh my God, you moved here and became one of them,” Rachel laughed until she had tears running down her face and was holding her stomach. “You just yelled at a car in the slow lane,” she commented, shaking her head.

“Speaking of yelling,” Melissa dramatically rolled her eyes. “Your skinny mini of a boyfriend sent me a text to tell me to have you call him.” She laughed when Rachel pulled out her phone and dialed, leaving JC a voicemail. “You two are sickening. Really. It's disgustingly adorable.”

“Like you're much better, Mrs. Backstreet. I'm almost jealous,” Rachel told her as she slipped her phone back in her purse. “How are things with dear Alexander McLean?”

“They're good,” Melissa told her, giving her a smile. Her fingers gripped the steering wheel a little tighter and she sighed. “We have a lot of fun. He's flown me all over the U.S. So we could be together, hang out.”

Rachel studied her friend and her eyes narrowed. “There's something you're not telling me,” she replied, turning more in the seat. “What's up, Mel?”

“Well...I didn't want to say anything because I wasn't around AJ all day every day, you know. And he's a great guy. He just...drinks. A lot. I mean, he's went on stage drunk. A functioning alcoholic if you will...I'm not scared of him, Rach. I just don't want him to hurt himself. Or someone else. The guys have tried to talk to him and he told them all to fuck off. And then he calls and tells me I'm the only woman in his life that doesn't want something from him besides friendship.” Melissa spilled it all out as she drove and then pulled in the parking lot of the Chinese restaurant. She looked over at Rachel and sighed. “I hate seeing him like that.”

Rachel took her friend's hand. “Don't make his problems yours.”

“I'm not, Rachel. I promise. Let's go eat. I hear shrimp friend rice calling your name,” she grinned.

“Way to avoid the conversation, Bass,” Rachel muttered as they shouldered their purses and made their way in. They both ordered drinks and went to the buffet. Rachel's stomach turned more at the smell of the food and she ended up just getting some soup and a small helping of fried rice. Her first bite was alright, but the second made her put down her fork.

“What's wrong?” Melissa asked, seeing Rachel's face pale a little, pointing a fork at her that had a spear of beef broccoli on it.

“I don't know..I feel awful. The food tastes funny,” Rachel admitted, sliding her plate away gingerly, sipping on her water with lemon.

“You aren't pregnant are you?” Melissa joked, going back to her fried rice.

“Ha ha ha, very funny.” Rachel was about to quip off something else when her brain went backwards. She'd felt so bad when she'd went to the doctor and then to get the prescription that the words didn't really matter at the time. She was exhausted and felt like total crap. Now that she could remember clearly, it was like a dash of cold water hit her. Her mouth opened and then shut and opened again but nothing came out.

“Rach..you're scaring me,” Melissa said, watching her friend's eyes get wide and her knuckles whiten as they gripped the glass. “Breathe, Weatherly.”

Rachel let out a breath she'd been holding and looked at Mel. “Can we go? I'm feeling faint,” she whispered, feeling a little bad looking at her friend's still over halfway full plate. She pulled out a twenty dollar bill when her friend nodded and they got up. She was numb with the thought of the possibility. It was silent for a few minutes, both girls listening to the radio play as the car ran, the air going on low. “I need you to stop at a store,” she said softly.

“How did this happen?” Melissa asked, looking over at Rachel as if she had two heads.

“You see, when two people love each other...” Rachel started out, shaking her head, “How do you think it happens?”

Melissa backed out of the parking space. “I thought you were on birth control, Rach. I mean, you didn't stop or anything did you? It helped wonderful Aunt Flo out...” her voice trailed off as Rachel nodded.

“Yeah, I didn't stop with it, but while we were in there I was suddenly hit with the thought of the antibiotics I was on. They counteract the birth control,” a tear rolled down Rachel's cheek and she wiped it away quickly. “What if I'm pregnant?” she whispered, the word sounding horrible to her as she wiped her hands on her pants.

“Then I gotta say there's something in the water. Glad I cut ship before now,” Melissa teased, spotting a Walgreen's. She looked over at her friend and gave her a smile. “Don't freak out, we don't know anything yet. I'll go in and then we'll go home. I can make you some hot tea.”

“You can make tea?” Rachel said, attempting to joke as her friend flipped her off. She watched Melissa get out and go in the store. She raised an eyebrow when Melissa came bag with a bag and handed it to Rachel. “Did you buy the whole store? Are we going to a pregnancy checking party?” she peered down at the five different tests and then at her friend.

“I didn't know which one to get, so I got them all. I wanted to be thorough.”

Rachel groaned but couldn't suppress a grin. “That's what he said.”
Chapter 35 part 1 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
I am really hoping I get reviews for this chapter. :) Enjoy
Rachel looked at the pregnancy test and swallowed hard. Her hands were shaking and she glanced at Melissa. “You sure you read the directions?” she asked as her friend shoved her in the bathroom and shut the door.

“You pee on the stick and recap it and leave it on the counter and I will check it in ten minutes,” Melissa told her, leaning on door outside in the hallway. “It's not that hard.”

“Shut up, you've never taken one.”

“Not like you have either til now. Besides, we have four more if you mess that one up,” Melissa replied. She was nervous for Rachel, not sure what she was going to do to keep her friend from freaking out. “Get to it, Weatherly.”

Rachel did as the directions said, leaving the test on the counter. She wanted to wait and watch the test, to see if said 'pregnant' or 'not pregnant'. It could be a fluke, she told herself as she exited the bathroom. She slid down the wall next to Melissa and sat there. “JC's not going to be happy,” she said quietly. “He plans everything. What if he doesn't want me? Or what if...” Rachel looked at Melissa, trying not to cry. “What if he does what Joey did? I mean, Joey got married because Kristen was having his baby. He doesn't love her. I mean, not like he did you.”

“Don't think like that. You love Josh. He loves you. I mean, it's not out in the open but you two are the cutest couple ever. It makes me wanna throw up every time you send me a picture. He's crazy about you.”

“But what if he doesn't want me?” Rachel asked again, worried.

“Then you can move in with me and we can pretend to be lesbians.” Melissa was totally kidding but it made Rachel laugh. “I guess I'd have to be the dude though,” she threw her arm around Rachel and hugged her. “Let's worry about it all in about six minutes, okay?”

“Six minutes...” Rachel sighed and leaned her head on Melissa's shoulder. “This year has been nothing short of fucked up. Why not add something else to the list?” she muttered. “Grandpa even wants me to head up an office in New York City. I told him I'd think about it. You don't want to move to New York do you?” she asked sarcastically. Rachel wasn't moving to New York.

“Are you kidding? They have winter up there. And Joey's grandparents are up there. I would never have to cook again.”

“I thought you cooked with Holly,” the taller blonde looked at Melissa when she shrugged.

“It's fun and all, but I still don't like just doing it for myself. I made a cake the other day. Or tried...the trashcan ate good. I ate the frosting out of the container and then went to The Cheesecake Factory.”

“If you weren't my best friend, I'd say that was really pathetic.”

“Thanks, I needed someone to tell me it was. Especially since I bought a whole cheesecake so I wouldn't have to cook,” Melissa said, looking at her watch. “Let's go see if you need to go into the witness protection program.”

“Very funny, Bass,” Rachel felt sick as her friend got up and went into the bathroom and was silent. “Mel?” she asked after a few moments, looking at her friend who'd come back out with the test. “Well?”

“It's positive,” Melissa murmured, wiping a tear as Rachel stilled. “You're having a baby, Rach. A Chasez baby...”

“Oh God,” Rachel said as her stomach heaved. She slammed the door and went to the toilet, getting sick. Her head swam and tears came. She jumped when Melissa's hands pulled back her hair as she got sick. “What am I going to do? My parents..grandfather...oh..” she got sick again and cursed to herself.

“Just worry about telling JC,” Melissa replied, reaching for a clean washcloth and getting it wet with warm water. “I think if you tell him, he'll surprise you. It will scare the shit out of him...”

“You're not helping any,” Rachel muttered as she flushed and then took the washcloth. “Should I take another test? To be sure??”

“Knock yourself out. What am I going to do with them?”

“Scare the shit out of some unsuspecting guy,” Rachel told her, sighing. “That oil rig in the middle of the Indian Ocean sounds good.” The girls went to sit on Melissa's bed since they were upstairs.

“You can't just run away,” Melissa told her, frowning when Rachel glared at her. “I know. I have no room to talk, but I'm not having a baby.”

“You should be, we could be miserable together. I feel like my stomach has gotten on a tilt a whirl...” Rachel closed her eyes. All she could think about was JC getting pissed at her. For ruining his life, possibly breaking up NSYNC.

“I doubt the man I wanna have a kid with would want that much drama in his life. Besides, I get to be an Aunt. I'll spoil your kid so much you won't know what to do.” Melissa's smile faded when she saw Rachel with tears running down her face.

“I'm going to be the reason NSYNC breaks up. The media will have a field day and JC will hate me for ruining his life!” she said as she tried to swallow spit and sniffled. She felt Melissa hug her again and she cried more. “I've never been around a baby. I'm not even married, Mel! I wanted to be married. We were supposed to both get married and have kids that would grow up together and be best friends.”

“Life happens. You know your parents will be excited after they get over the shock. My parents will act like it's their damn grandkid too...He or She will have four uncles who spoil them rotten. And Josh will love you. He won't leave you hanging.”

“How do you know? I mean, he makes lists for things. He drives me crazy that he's so meticulous. And this blows up whatever plans he's made for his music career.” Rachel stopped when Melissa pulled away from her and looked at her like she was crazy.

“Do you not think that JC would give that up? That if he had to take a break or God forbid not sing like this..touring, that he'd do it for his kid? What more reason would he need than to be with you and your baby? Give him some damn credit, Rachel. Save for maybe Justin, the other three guys would give this up for their family if it came down to it.”

“Then why didn't Joey?” Rachel shot back, her arms folded across her chest.

“I don't know. I can't speak for Joey anymore. Kristen obviously doesn't care if he's home or not.”

“What if it was you?”

Melissa sighed. “If it was me, I'd be on that tour bus. I wouldn't care where I was as long as I was with Joey. And if I was in Florida, I'd go to him. Joey would be over the moon-is over the moon. I suspect JC will feel the same way. You have to talk to him, Rach.”

“I'm acting like a bitch, aren't I?” Rachel muttered, sighing heavily and running a hand through her hair. “I'm scared.”

“I know. I would be too. And you aren't being a bitch. You're allowed to freak out a lot. I mean, it's not every day you find out your pregnant with JC Chasez's baby,” Melissa sat back down by her. “So many girls will be devastated.”

“I'll get hate mail, death threats...” Rachel whispered.

“Not if they don't know. You can keep this private,” Melissa stated simply. “I mean, you're not that far along. Save for your baby daddy and Lance and me...maybe your parents and his, no one has to know.”

“So then what happens when JC and I come out as a couple and all that? I just magically got pregnant?”

“I swear it was the Vodka flavored skittles.”

“That shit was nasty. I can't believe you and Chris did that to candy. It was sacrilege. And you threw up on my new purse.” Rachel shook her head at the memory, shuddering a little. Melissa had ruined a brand new Dulce & Cabana purse when she and Chris had decided to put skittles down into a bottle of vodka and let them soak up the alcohol before eating them.

“That was two years ago and you're still bitching about it,” Melissa laid back on her bed and sighed. “I'm still hungry.”

Rachel laid back and rolled over to face her friend. “I'm not hungry. At all.” She was still thinking about how she was going to tell JC. There was no easy way to tell him. “Should I call him?” she asked, just talking out loud.

“No. You're going to tell him in person. That's not something you tell a guy on the phone,” Melissa told her, sitting up. “Least you and Kristen will get to swap baby stories.”

Rachel rolled her eyes and groaned. “She says she still has four weeks and looks miserable. Her sister is at her and Joey's house since this leg of the tour doesn't stop for another couple of weeks. She's huge. I'm going to look like the Staypuff Marshmallow Man.”

“Nah, you'll look like you swallowed a watermelon,” Melissa chuckled as Rachel frowned. “Close your eyes,” she instructed when Rachel got a panicked look on her face. “Do it, Rach,” she instructed her friend. “Now picture yourself holding a sweet little dark haired, blue eyed baby.” Melissa smiled as Rachel's facial features relaxed. “Think of snuggling that baby after giving him or her a bath and then handing them off to JC. JC smiles and kisses a tiny forehead and nuzzles a cheek, humming softly.”

Rachel could picture all of this and it made her feel better. She was still scared, but it helped to think about the end result. She opened her eyes and stared over at Melissa who'd stopped talking and was staring off into space, a slight frown on her face. “You're thinking awful hard, Bass.”

“Nah, not really,” Melissa said, pushing her own thoughts to the back of her mind. Her eyes met Rachel's and she smiled. “We'll figure it out, Weatherly. You have a week until you go back on tour.”

“I'll be booking my flight for the Indian Ocean then,” Rachel quipped, placing her hand on her stomach and thinking of the tiny life growing inside her. It was going to be a long week with a lot of decisions to make. She also had to tell Lance. That almost scared her as much as telling JC. It hurt her heart to think about Melissa's brother going back to being single and still hiding his sexuality. She wanted Lance to be in a relationship like she had with Josh. Someone who would love him through all of life's up and downs. Her eyes met Melissa's and realized the shorter blonde was looking at her expectantly. “Did you say something?”

“I asked if you felt like going downstairs and watching a movie?”

“Why not? We're not sleeping,” Rachel told her as they both changed into pajamas. She fingered her fuzzy flannel pajama pants and sighed. “These wont fit in a few months.”

“You'll look adorable. You know Chris or Joey will want to poke your belly to see if you laugh like the Pillsbury Doughboy.”

“I'll break their fingers. They don't need those to sing,” Rachel pointed out, a smile on her face.

“I'm sending you back to NSYNC with a warning that you are dangerous,” Melissa pointed out, pulling on a shirt out of her drawer, her back to Rachel. She looked down at the shirt and half smiled. It went with a pair of silky shorts. “This shirt has been through the mill. Lance sent it to me from Europe.” It was faded and had a big hole in the bottom. The only letters in the group's name that were readable were the S and the Y.

“I know. I got one too remember? I left it in a hotel in Atlanta, I think.” Rachel hooked her arm through Melissa's. “Thanks for letting me freak out. What would I do without you?”

“Your life would be one horrible, depressing sequence of events that spiraled into an enigma of loneliness and despair,” Melissa told her as they went downstairs.

“You've been talking to Chris way to much,” Rachel pointed out as she went to rifle through the movies. She grinned big and pulled out a Disney move. 'The Little Mermaid' always made them laugh, even now that they were supposed to be grown up. “Are you burning the kitchen down?” Rachel asked, coming in after hearing a noise, holding up the movie. “I got our flick.”

Melissa laughed and shook her head, watching the popcorn in the microwave. “Good choice,” she pointed out, grabbing a Coke out of the fridge and a water for Rachel. “You want something to eat?” she asked, watching as Rachel took her popcorn. “Brat.”

“You love me, Bass.”

“Sometimes. And only for your money,” Melissa teased her, bumping her slightly with her shoulder.

“Whatever. I could be living in a van down by the river-”

“Selling used tires,” Melissa finished, sticking out her tongue. They got more snacks and went to the living room, flopping down on opposite ends of the couch, the movie playing a few minutes later after Rachel put it in. “I love you, Rach. And I'm excited for you,” she said quietly.

“Thanks. I am too, I think,” Rachel replied. She knew her mind wouldn't be totally on the movie, but it was a nice distraction for now.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“Look who the cat dragged in,” Holly said with a smile as she came through the door of Melissa's apartment. “Honey, you look like crap,” she told Rachel who was sitting there trying not to get sick. “Whatever it is, I don't want it.”

Rachel tried to smile but her stomach rolled. Even though it was almost five in the afternoon, she felt worse now than she had in the morning. “You might wanna not hug me,” she told her, “but I am glad to see you.”

Holly's phone chirped again and she groaned. “I swear Chris is worse than a damn kid,” she pulled her phone out and stilled. “Joey's flying to Orlando. Kristen's sister is taking her to the hospital,” she said, quickly typing out a reply to him before her phone rang. “Hey stud.”

“Hiya, sexy,” Chris replied, a smile coming to his face. “We just sent Joey on a first class flight from Milwaukee to Orlando. He's going to have a nicotine fit and drive everyone crazy....” his voice trailed off and he sighed. “The baby is early so Joey's worried, ya know?”

“That's understandable,” Holly replied, giving Rachel a smile and then waving to Melissa as she came into the living room. She frowned when Melissa swallowed hard and showed Rachel her phone, hearing them talk about Joey. “Chris, call me when you find out more. I think I'm needed here...I love you.”

“Love you too, baby, see ya,” Chris told her, hanging up.

“You okay?” Holly asked, pulling her friend into a hug and heard sniffles. She watched Rachel and raised an eyebrow. “C'mon, talk to me, Bass.”

“I'm fine, I just need a moment. Joey's probably freaking out. And the baby's a month early. That's not good, it can't be good,” her voice stilled as her phone rang and she looked at caller ID. It was her mom and Melissa hit end. She didn't feel like hearing anything right now, having had missed calls from everyone but Joey and text messages. It felt like she was there even though she wasn't and in a way it sucked.

“I am sure everything will be fine,” Holly told her with a smile. “She's going to a good doctor, right? To one of the best hospitals.”

“She went to Pennsylvania a lot for her appointments since Joey was gone on tour,” Rachel told them, getting up and standing by Melissa. “For the other appointments though, yeah, she was in Orlando.”

Melissa knew there was nothing she could do about it, but her stomach was knotted up anyway, she gave both of her friends a smile and just prayed for the best.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“The contractions won't stop,” Kristen whined to her sister as another one hit. “Where's my husband?” she asked, looking to Phyllis who was on the phone with Joey.

“I know, honey. She's doing fine. How long is the flight delay?” Phyllis asked, listening to her son's voice. There was a storm in Atlanta that had grounded flights since there was lightening but it should be through within the hour. “Kristen's dialated to a six...you'll be here in time,” she reassured him. As his mother, she was going to tell him whatever didn't drive him crazy first.

“Why is the baby coming early?” Joey questioned, pacing a quiet hallway in the airport near the gate to his connecting flight. Rick had come with him for security. He'd told the guys to give Chris his parts and left them all as fast as he could. “Nothing better be wrong,” he muttered, sighing.

“These things happen, Joey. You were a week early, perfectly healthy,” his mother told him, walking to the waiting room. Joe Sr., Janine, David and Steve were all there. She gave them all a small smile as she sat down next to her husband. It wasn't that she didn't think Joey could handle this, it was just that she knew how much he wanted to be there. “I'll call you if anything at all happens, Joseph. Do you want me to have Kristen call you?” she asked.

“No, I talked to her before I called you. She said she was fine and for me to hurry the hell up,” Joey gave a small chuckle. “I'm excited, Mom. I mean, it's been a hell of a ride and now it's here...” he took a deep breath as lightening flashed. “Just pray the storm leaves Atlanta really quick.”

“I will, baby. I love you.”

“Love you too, Mom,” Joey closed his phone and ended the call, going to sit down beside Rick. “I'm going to be an old man by the time this all goes down.”

Rick laughed and shook his head. “The moment you hold that little baby, Joe, you won't give a crap what happened. Trust me on this. It's the best feeling in the world. It will all be fine, man.”
Chapter 35 part 2 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
The end of this chapter. Hope you liked it. I am going to try updating more frequently to get you all caught up. It means so much to me that you are reading this story.
Joey practically ran into the hospital out of the cab, leaving Rick to pay the man. He could care less who saw him or if he acted like a crazy man. He spotted his parents and rushed to them. “Where is my son? Is he okay? Kristen?” he asked with it all coming out in a jumbled mess as he looked expectantly at them. He frowned when they didn't answer right away, his heart beating faster at the thought that something was wrong.

“Joey...” his mother's voice was soft, not sure of what to say or do. The doctor had pulled her and her husband into his office. “The doctor wants to talk to you..He asked if you'd come when you got here.”

Joey swallowed and nodded, not sure what to think. No one had said anything about the baby and that scared him. His father knocked on the door and the older man let them in, looking very forlorn at Joey. “Joseph, sit please, son.”

“I'm fine,” Joey said, hearing his mother sniffle beside him. “I want to see my son, Doc. I'm late getting here...”

“Joey, I know you have a busy life and job that keeps you away from your home here. However, I am not about to let you live a life that is a lie.” Joey looked as a piece of paper was slid over in front of him. “This is your blood typing. It's on file. You are AB positive. The baby that I delivered a couple hours ago,” he paused, shaking his head, “had B negative blood.”

“I don't get...” Joey's words died on his tongue. He felt himself falter and fell into the chair ungracefully. “You're sure?” he croaked, his mind going full steam as he sat there in shock.

“Blood tests don't lie. However, when I finally got all of Mrs. Fatone's records, I can tell you that she was over a month farther along than what you'd been led to believe.”


Joey sat there, gripping the chair arms. His brain rushed to understand everything he had just said. Words jumbled in his head. Blood. Positive. Negavite. Early baby. On time baby. It was like his brain grasped the fragment. On time baby. The moment he had received the phone call Kristen was in labor, he had been beside himself in worry. Kristen wasn't due for another month. There had to be something wrong. There was something wrong with the baby, with his son. He went back over everything he could think or with the whole pregnancy wondering what he could have done differently. If he hadn't smoked so much. If he had been nicer to Kristen. There had to be something there that was his fault, something there that he could have prevented this from happening.

On time baby.

Anger slowly started to take over. He could feel it coursing through his blood. There was nothing wrong with his son. He swallowed hard. No. Not his son. And just like that he felt as if something had slammed into his chest and he fought to breathe.

"Are you okay, Son?" Joseph asked worriedly. He knew the anger he was feeling now at finding out he was not a grandfather was nothing compared to what his son was going through.

Joey laughed humorlessly. "Okay? No Pop, I'm not okay. I just found out the woman I married; the woman was told me she was pregnant with my child - a son - was lying to me." He clenched his jaw and looked at his father, his eyes blazing in anger. "Call my lawyer. I'm going to see my 'wife'." He stood up and shook the doctor's hand, thanking him for telling him. He took the results from the blood test and looked at his parents. "Just tell everyone to go to your house. I'll be along in a little while. Rick can hang out in the lobby. I might need him to drive me home. No one talks to the media."

The elation he had been feeling when he first ran into the hospital was gone. A weight of hurt still rested heavy on his heart. There was sadness when he thought about the baby he had felt kick, the baby he had talked to through Kristen's stomach wasn't his. When he remembered the completed nursery in his house the anger returned forcing the sadness and hurt to take a backseat.

He paused at the room hearing his wife's voice and then her sister's. She'd played him a fool the whole time. "Hey Kris," he said as he entered the room. A quick glance told him the baby wasn't there. For that he was thankful. He wasn't sure he wanted to see the baby whom he had called son. It was better this way. Better he didn't lay eyes on the baby. "Sorry my flight was delayed." His cheek twitched in anger as her sister hugged him, telling him she had pictures. "I need to talk with Kris alone."

Kristen watched her sister leave then looked at her husband. "I love you. He's just the most perfect little baby." She said, watching Joey pace in front of her. "I was worried because I was a month early, so scared. But the doctor said he was perfect."

"Funny you should mention that," Joey turned and nailed his wife with a hard stare. He felt little satisfaction when he saw her swallow and look away. "I just spoke with the doctor..."

Kristen gasped. "The baby, is he okay? Oh Joey..." she felt tears well in her eyes.

"Give it a rest Kristen. I know." He stared at her saying no more. He watched and noticed the exact moment she caught on to what he was talking about. "You must think I'm the most stupid fucking guido ever," Joey's New York accent came out heavily and he fought to stick with English instead of switching over into Italian which happened a lot when he was angry.

"What do you know?"

"Don't fucking play games with me!" Joey yelled. "I know that baby you just gave birth to is not mine! It's not possible! Our blood types don't fucking match! I also know that that baby was not born a month early. He was right on time. I know that you fucking lied to me! That is not my Goddamned kid, Kristen! Did you think you would get away with it? Did you think that I wouldn't find out?"

"I have gotten away with it so far," Kristen glared at Joey. She washed the look of 'love' and happiness off her face. The act was no longer needed. "I would have gotten away with for a lot longer if the doctor would have kept his mouth shut."

"Why the fuck would you do this to me? To my family!"

"Why? Because the stupid bastard that knocked me up bailed on me! I was pissed at you for dumping me for your best friend. Me for your precious Melissa! What the fuck were you thinking Joey? Why the hell would you want to be with someone like her?"

"Don't you dare say anything bad about Melissa or so help you God..." Joey broke off before his anger really went through the roof.

Kristen shrugged, not caring. "So I thought of a way to ruin her life and get what I wanted at the same time. " She gave him one of her perfect smiles. "I think it worked out perfectly. Melissa was just so devastated when you chose me over her. I must say it was great watching her little country bumpkin heart break. Like she would know what to do with someone of your fame and fortune. No one wants to see her on the red carpet. You have an image to uphold and she doesn't fit it."

"You stupid little whore," Joey bit off.

Kristen tsk-tsked give a small shake of her head. "Need I remind you of who was kissing a singer on stage? Oh the look on your face," she laughed. "Priceless!"

Joey was so angry he was shaking. He clenched his hands into fists for fear he'd reach out and strangle her. "Laugh while you can because you want to know what's really hilarious?"

"What's that?"

"All those papers you sighed that you didn't want to read before we got married, Dear?" His mouth curved into a predatory smile. "Pre-nup, my wife. You get nothing from me. No money. No car. No house. Nothing." He watched satisfied as the smile faltered on Kristen's face. "And before you think you can make any money by sell NSYNC secrets to any of those rag magazines, think again. Because one of those papers your so greedily signed your name to bans you from disclosing anything you learned about the group. If you think in your pretty little head that you can do it anonymously, we'll find out. We have people who live to search the Internet for people who post stuff about us. We'll have your ass thrown in jail so fast you won't know what hit you. Your parents will be raising your kid." He snuffed, looking down his nose at her. He wondered what he ever saw in this ugly woman in front of him. "Which might be a better option seeing what a piece of shit you are. My lawyer will have papers to you in the morning. I suggest you sign them. You don't want to fight me. I'm done playing stupid."

"You can't do that!" Kristen sputtered. She was slowly seeing her dream collapsed. She remembered signing her name to dozens of papers before the wedding. She signed them all quickly just wanting it to be over with so they could get on with the wedding.

"I can. And I will." With that, Joey turned and left. On his way down the hall, he twisted his wedding band around and off his finger, chucking it in the trash can in the hallway. He made his way back to the lobby and kicked Rick's foot. Joey gave his friend a small smile, shaking his head. “You ready to go to the house?”

“Sure, Joe. I'm just here for you man,” Rick said, knowing he'd go back to his own place with his family after he dropped Joey off. He had kids and couldn't imagine what the other man was going through. He pulled keys out to Steve's car. “Your brother left us his ride. You want me to drive?”

Joey nodded. “Stop by the smoke shop and the liquor store,” he told him as they got in his brother's vehicle. He leaned his head back on the headrest and sighed. He didn't want to get emotional about it now but he couldn't help it. “I was played, man. The whole fucking time...” Joey wiped his face with the palm of his hand, unable to stop the tears.

Rick drove and let Joey be upset, stopping at the two places he wanted. They drove the rest of the way to Rick's house in silence. “If you need me, give me a call. We're leaving on Saturday?” he asked, making sure, giving Joey a slap on the back.

“Yeah. See you then if not before,” Joey told him, getting in and driving to his parents house. He wasn't ready to go to his own place and deal with everything there. He knew he'd have to but right now he just wanted to go sit and smoke some cigarettes and get drunk. The guys were getting ready for the show and he hoped that no one would be too upset that he wasn't there. His excuse earlier in the day had been impending fatherhood. Now it was just Joey trying to keep a handle on his life.

*^*^*^**^*^

“I'm fine, Pop. I promise,” Joey said, not meaning to sound as harsh as he did. He knew his family meant well, but he could only stand so much hovering and asking if he was alright. His lawyer had come over and laid out all the paperwork, as well as to get the ball rolling to get Kristen's name removed from things it was on like bank accounts and other legal documents as well as insurance and things like that. It was taxing and by the time Skip had left, Joey had a headache. Of course that could also be due to the half carton of cigarettes he'd smoked as well. “Sorry,” he apologized, watching his father sit down in the lounge chair beside him in the backyard. He inhaled on a cigarette and sighed, looking up at the stars beginning to come out. “I'm a failure, Pop.”

“No you're not, Joe. What makes you think that?” Joe Senior asked, looking at his youngest son.

“I mean, I had a marriage and was gonna have a kid. Now what do I have? She fuckin' ripped my heart out. And I didn't even see it coming. I was stupid,” Joey replied, flicking ashes and sniffling as tears came again. “I failed at this whole marriage thing.”

“You were tricked. Lied to. You didn't fail at anything. You just had the rug pulled out from under you. Did she even say why she did it?”

Joey took a long pull off of his beer and sighed once more. “Revenge. Getting back at me for dumping her for Mel. She told me that she wanted to ruin her life and in turn ruin mine. Now I'm not sure how to fix anything.”

The phone skittered across the table and Joey picked it up. He saw Lance's name come up and gave a snort. “I guess I'm gonna talk to Lance. Might as well tell them the ugly truth.”

“I'll be inside. Your mom left food in the fridge if you get hungry,” Joe Senior squeezed his son's shoulder affectionately as he got up and went inside the house to give Joey some privacy.

Joey hit send on his phone and said hello, hearing four other voices. He rolled his eyes and lit a cigarette.

“What's up, big pimpin? We got some awesome cigars, dude,” Justin said loudly as the other three yelled congratulations.

“Please tell me that baby doesn't have your ugly mug, Joe,” Chris yelled. “Kid prolly came out with red tips and a goatee.”

He listened to them all laugh and shook his head. “Guys...”

“No don't tell us, you got peed on already,” JC said, a grin on his face as they sat on the tour bus, riding to the next venue.

The jabs went on for a few more minutes before they realized Joey wasn't saying anything back. There were no details of any kind, of the proudest moment of their friend's life. “You okay over there, Joey?” Lance asked, looking at the other three men as they got quiet.

“Not really,” Joey told them. “Flight got delayed in Atlanta with storms, so I missed the birth and all that. I get there and the doctor pulls me into the office before I can go back to there-”

“And he tells you that the milkman did it!” Chris says, causing the rest of the guys to groan.

Joey had to hand it to Chris, lighting a cigarette. “Yep, Christopher. It was the fucking milkman with a spoon in the basement. She played me. Kid's not mine.”

There was a long pause, as if the guys were thinking he was going to say he was kidding. It never came and Joey knew how they felt. What do you say to the fucker who had been sucker punched in the stomach like that.

“Fucking cunt ass bitch motherfucker!” Justin yelled, “That lousy piece of shit walking two faced whore! Skank...” he growled. “I'm fucking sorry, dawg. You want us to come help bury her body like in mafia movies?”

“I thought about it, but first I want her to have to watch all her shit being tossed out into the yard. She gets nothing. Cause my stupid ass ain't that stupid when it comes to paperwork,” he told them.

“What about the kid?” JC asked, curious. “I mean, I know it's not yours but is she even gonna take care of it?”

“Don't know, don't really give a shit at this point and time. I told her that her parents should take care of it since she's a piece of dogshit.”

“Did she say why?” Lance asked and they got quiet again. His heart hurt for Joey. He had been excited for his friend, that in their crazy life and jobs, he was going to have a family.

“Because I was in love with your sister. That's why.” Joey didn't want to get into that and he was thankful they didn't ask anymore questions; but they all gave very detailed suggestions of what he could do to his soon to be ex. All of which were very tempting, even if he ended up in jail.
He did listen to the guys tell him about the show and how weird it was to figure out since he wasn't there to sing. That they had to rehearse the whole show again to make sure they didn't run into one another while dancing. His arm was slung over his eyes and he let them talk for a while.

“You know we're here for you, Joey,” Justin said. “And I know it's shitty to ask, but you are coming back right?”

“I'll be back Saturday. What else was I going to do? Ain't got shit here, Timberlake...but thanks for asking. My life's in the proverbial toilet and you're worried about me performing.”

“Dude, you know I didn't mean it like that,” Justin shot back. “Damn.”

Joey sighed, sitting up a little. “I'll be fine to sing. We only got a week before we have a few weeks off, right? I'll handle my shit and be back.”

“We'll be sure to get you a stripper or something. Cheer you up,” Chris told him, smiling when Joey gave a chuckle.

“I could give a shit less about a woman right now. All of them save for a few can all go jump into the Hudson and drown for all I care.”

“You know you can call us if you need us,” JC told him, watching Justin sit over there and pout. “Even Justin, who's sitting over here pouting like you kicked him.”

“He'll be alright. I promise to give him a swirly in the toilet backstage when I get back.”

“Fuck you, dawg!” Justin yelled, giving the phone the middle finger. “And for the record, I wasn't pouting. I just hate it when you aren't yourself. I know you got a good reason, but dude,” he smiled. “We want our Joey back,” he sang, mimicking the famous Chili's commercial.

“I love you too, sweetcheeks,” Joey told Justin, making him cuss. “I'm gonna get off here and go see if I can relax a little.”

“Talk to you later, Joe,” Lance said, hating that he couldn't have talked to his friend by himself but he didn't mind they'd all heard the news at the same time. He hung up the phone and looked at the other four men.

“I told you we should have kidnapped Joey,” Justin said, shaking his head. “Poor fucker.”

“All I wanna know is who's telling Mel. Not it!” Chris said quickly as JC and Justin said the same thing and they looked at Lance. “She'll go postal.”

“Rachel's there with her, thank God,” Lance said, giving a big sigh. “You realize how fucked up this is right? That all this time we could have had my sister and Joey together and now they don't even talk.”

“It won't take them long, Bass. It's Mel and Joey..Moey. The dynamic duo,” Chris pointed out as Lance walked towards the back of the bus. Part of him prayed his sister wouldn't answer the phone, but he heard her voice answer. “Hey,” he said, trying to sound cheerful.

“Hi,” Melissa said, mouthing Lance's name to Holly and Rachel. “Have you heard from Joey?” she asked, thinking it was odd no one had texted her about anything. “The last thing I heard was Kristen's sister was taking her to the hospital.”

“We just talked to him, actually,” Lance told her, pausing. “The baby's not Joey's. The blood type doesn't match.”

Melissa sat there in shock. She swallowed hard, but wasn't able to stop the tears that came as she blinked. “Not his? What's he doing? Is he okay?” she fired off questions, feeling Rachel put her arms around her and Holly come to sit by her.

“He's...dealing with it all. From what we could understand, he's going to extract himself from that situation as quickly as possible. Joey sounded alright, Mel.”

“He'd tell you he was alright, Lance! Why...why did she do that to him? Made him marry her...” Melissa's voice trailed off as Rachel pulled the phone from her hand gently.

Lance took a staggered breath and closed his eyes, listening to Rachel tell him she was going to the kitchen. “I was the one voted to tell her,” he said lamely, hating the whole scenario.

“You're her brother, of course you get the hard stuff,” Rachel said with a small smile. “I want to know why that fucking bitch did that...”

“Kristen did it out of spite. She was determined to ruin my sister's life and Joey's. Although I can say that Joey got the last laugh. She didn't read the pre-nup she signed and gets nothing.”

Rachel's stomach clenched up and she closed her eyes, listening to Lance elaborate on how the guys reacted to the news. She didn't blame them for being angry, she was pissed off herself. The emotional roller coaster that they'd all been on since New Year's Eve had taken its toll. And now she was going to be on one with being pregnant. One long drawn out piece of drama. This wasn't what she wanted as a backdrop for telling JC the news of his impending fatherhood. “Mel will be alright. She'll be ready to go to Florida and kill Kristen for hurting Joey like that.”

“I am sure there will be a line, but she should get to go first,” Lance replied. “Joey's going to fly back Saturday and finish out the shows before we go on break. I'll get off here, I just wanted Melissa to hear it from me and not someone else.”

“I'll make sure she's alright. I mean, your life can only go spiraling out of control once, right? That's already happened so now we have to put the pieces back together,” Rachel bit her lip when she heard her friend sob. “I'm going to go, Lance. Love you.”

“Love you too, Rachel. I am more than ready to be off this insane merry go round for a little while,” he admitted, saying good bye. He felt emotionally drained after he'd talked to Joey and then his sister. He laid his head back and closed his eyes, saying a prayer for his best friend that everything would work out. It had to work out and have something better.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“How is she?” JC asked Rachel softly, stretched out on the couch in the front of the bus. He couldn't sleep and wanted to talk to his girlfriend. Rachel had called after they'd texted back and forth most of the night. From what he could gather, Melissa was asleep finally after Rachel and Holly had taken away her car keys and hidden her purse. “How are you?” he asked before she could answer.

“I'm fine, Josh. Just shocked...And Mel's distraught. I think she'd resigned herself to what was happening and then all of a sudden it changed again. I'm going to have gray hair before I come back on tour,” she teased, listening to him chuckle. She curled up around the pillow beside her and sighed. Her mind was on the pregnancy and Rachel wanted it to go alright. “I miss you,” she half whispered, trying not to get emotional. It just felt like everything was piling on her and she knew she couldn't keep the information of her being pregnant a secret. It wouldn't be fair to JC or Lance.

“I miss you too, baby. The bus is lonely without you,” JC replied, groaning as he stretched. “We have two more shows and a few interviews before Joey comes back. I can't wait to see how that goes. Let's hope Justin doesn't get down on women like he did earlier. I think he would have almost thrown his mother under the bus if it had helped.”

“How do you feel about it?” Rachel inquired, pulling the covers up to her chin, trying to get comfortable.

“I think a woman that traps a man like that should be taken out and horsewhipped. I'm not saying shit can't happen, but when they are underhanded like Kristen was and lie about it... She's the reason most men don't want to get married. They're afraid of getting trapped.”

Rachel had to remind herself to breathe, that she'd asked JC how he felt with no idea that she was carrying his child. And he was angry at his friend being hurt. “You just mean that with women who are like Kristen, right?” she fished for something to reassure herself without letting Josh know something was wrong.

JC sat up and walked back towards the bunks. “Yes, baby. You're perfect. Nothing like Kristen...why would you even ask that?” he questioned, pulling the curtain back on his bunk, listening to the snores of three other men. “It sounds like a chorus of chainsaws,” he told her before she could answer.

The break in subject matter made her smile and momentarily made her nerves calm. “Just worrying you'll swear off women,” she lied, blinking back tears hard.

JC laughed and got into his bunk, getting comfortable. “I love Lance, but I don't go that way. You don't have to worry about that.”

They talked a little while longer about different things. Music, work, and plans for the break that was coming up. JC had planned on just having Rachel stay at his house so they could have some alone time they so desperately wanted. “Just think, it will be just you and me.”

Rachel smiled slightly to herself, knowing by that time he would know she was carrying his child. “It will be wonderful, C. I can't wait.” Later she heard him yawn and sighed. “You need beauty sleep and so do I. Well, not as much as you.”

“Hey now, if anyone needs it, Chris would be sleeping all the time.”

“That's not nice, C,” Rachel admonished him. “I love you.”

“I love you too, baby. I'll call you later today,” he told her, hanging up his cell phone. He stared at the picture with her name underneath and smiled. JC couldn't wait until they were done touring for a little while. He was ready to be home for once and not on the road.

Rachel laid there, watching the clock. It was long past time she should be asleep. Her flannel sleep pants were itchy and she rolled over, her stomach flipping a bit and she groaned, throwing her arm over her face. “I know JC will freak out, but I really wish when I told him I could choke him too. Charming asshole,” she muttered, sighing. She still had the rest of the week to think about what she was going to say and how she was going to say it. And it still seemed like it was coming too fast.
Chapter 36 part 1 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
Wow, I didn't realize where I left the story hanging. I will be updating a lot tonight. Enjoy. Thanks for sticking with me.
The week had went by fast. Faster than she wanted it to and before Rachel knew it, she was on a plane taking her back to the tour. She watched the clouds go by out the window and was glad for some time to herself. She always had fun with her best friend, but this week left her drained. Between the two of them trying to figure out what she was going to say to JC and Lance, then with all the news surrounding Joey it had been a full time job to not let everything creep in. Her grandfather had called as well, asking if she would be able to work some after the tour was done. It would be local work in Tampa and then in Miami and a week tops. Rachel couldn't turn him down since he let her off to tour with NSYNC. She only worked on a handful of accounts she could access by email and spent time on the bus working while the guys had media obligations. She wondered briefly how the elder Weatherly would take the news, shoving that thought away quickly. Right now she was worried about telling JC.

Her mind wandered along that subject until she found herself going for her carry on and making her way out of the plane. She knew a car would be waiting for her to take her to the arena. What Rachel didn't expect was Joey to be there with Rick. He was a day early, leaning against the taxi, smoking a cigarette. He was wearing a Superman shirt and some ripped jeans and Nikes. The thing that brought a smile to her face wasn't that, but the fact that his hair was red again on the ends. Her smile grew when he gave her a smile. Rachel could tell he was still hurt, but it was a smile she'd seen before.

“Hey you,” Rachel put her bags down and hugged Joey hard, feeling him give her a hug in return. “You look like Joey again.”

Joey held Rachel for a moment before letting her go, shrugging. “Mike hooked me up,” he ran a hand over his face, the beard that ran over his jawline trimmed up. “How was California?” he asked, grabbing her bags and then opening the door while the driver got the trunk.

“It was Los Angeles. I think I left Mel's place only for her to go to work, or for me and Holly to do a few things. Nothing exciting,” she replied, sliding in and asking Rick how his family was doing.

They all talked for a few moments until Rachel looked at Joey, who was studying the scenery. “How are you? I know you've been asked that a million times between when you left and now. I just want to know if you're okay.”

“I'm...doing better. All the paperwork is filed and everything else that had anything to do with Kristen is dealt with. Everything is out of the house and the real estate agent is showing my place this week.”

“You're moving?” Rachel said, surprised as Joey nodded.

“That was my first house I bought with my own money. And I love the house...” his voice trailed off a moment. “But I don't want to be stuck there with other memories, ya know? There's some houses closer to my Mom and Pop that I've heard of for sale, some with killer backyards and pools. Something new.”

“I'm sure you'll find something you love, Joey.”

“Me too. I'm glad Johnny and everyone was okay with me taking off even though we were going on vacation. I just couldn't leave that shit with my parents. I saw the kid...”

“Oh. Wow..I'm sorry,” Rachel told him, confused when he chuckled.

“He was a cute booger..however, if she thought I was really that stupid, she had another thing coming. The kid's half Hawaiian or something. Darker skinned than my Italian ass,” Joey explained, shaking his head.

“You're handling this better than I thought you would be,” Rachel told him, reaching over and squeezing his hand.

“This is me after some good drugs to get me to sleep, Rach. Yesterday you would have been locking me up and throwing away the key. Not even sure Mel could have stood me,” he replied softly.

Rachel wanted to open her mouth and tell him that Melissa would have come too if she didn't have to work and that she was worried about him, but that wasn't her place. Joey still had some making up to do. Even though now it was clear it wasn't his fault, he'd still hurt the other woman. “Sometime when you feel like it, you should give her a call.”

“How do you know she'd even want to hear what I have to say?” Joey rolled an eye towards Rachel and raised an eyebrow. “If I was her, I sure as hell wouldn't listen.”

“Maybe you'll just have to make her listen. I'm sure you'll come up with something,” Rachel told him as her phone buzzed. She looked at it, grinning at the picture that was attached to the message. It was JC and his face was bright and smiling . 'Can't wait to see you.
Chapter 36 part 2 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
Part 2 of this chapter. Enjoy!!
“Come on, Mel,” AJ yelled, pulling her to him in a hug. “Let's go back to the hotel and finish this party with a bang.” AJ's drunk gaze fell on her and he smiled. He loved being with her, she made him laugh and never failed to be the one who made things seem right. A best friend that was sometimes more in certain situations. Never sexual, but there had been kissing. She was a good kisser, he'd found out.

“Alex, you need to be done. You've had a lot. More than usual,” Melissa said as they made their way out of the club, the music going to a dull thump-thump as the door closed. “I have a headache and just want to go to bed.”

“I'll go to bed with you,” AJ said with a smile, getting into the cab, feeling tipsy and really good. “We can play army. I can lay there and you can blow the hell out of me.”

Melissa rolled her eyes and looked at him. The drinking had gotten steadily worse. The more he drank the more forceful he became with his sexual innuendos and possessive. “I won't be around next week, AJ.”

“Where you going? I'll be back in L.A at the end of the week,” he said, frowning at her when the cab stopped.

They got out and made their way into the hotel with little fanfare. Melissa sat down on the bed and watched AJ move around and get the bottle of Jack Daniels out and pour a shot. A functioning drunk was what he was becoming. “I'm going to Miami to see the last show on this leg of the Celebrity tour,” she said softly. “I haven't gotten to talk to Joey and want to see him and the rest of the guys.”

“So you're leaving me for that fat bastard?” AJ said, licking his lips and taking another shot that he'd poured himself. AJ didn't dislike the other man, but he figured if he was stupid enough to let Melissa go, then he deserved whatever he got. He'd been the one there to listen to her talk about Joey and had tried to not be jealous, but he was.

“I hate it when you're like this, Aje.” Melissa pushed herself off the bed. “I'm not leaving you. And Joey's not what you called him.”

“Yes. He is.”

“You're an asshole, AJ,” she went to gather up her purse, intending to get herself a room on the same floor the rest of the Backstreet Boys were on. She'd flown into Dallas earlier in the day to catch the show and spend time with AJ since he'd called, all but begging. Now Melissa wished she'd have just stayed in Los Angeles. “You're drinking way too much and making me feel like you just wanted me here as your personal punching bag.”

“So what? You came didn't you? I need you here...” AJ turned and pulled Melissa into his embrace. He frowned when she didn't return his hug. He glared at the tears running down her face. “What are you crying for?”

“Because you're letting that damn stuff ruin your life. You were barely functioning on stage tonight! I came to see a show and I got cheated on part of it because you weren't at your best--” Melissa was in shock when AJ grabbed her mouth, squishing her lips together so she couldn't speak.

“I am always at my best and those people got a damn good show tonight! Just because you're still in mourning over your a guy who fucking dumped you for the girl he knocked up. Then he drops you like a bad habit. And you want to go see how he's doing? He's probably got three or four different girls on him right now!” AJ let her mouth go and his mouth twitched when she glared at him. He wanted a fight. He wanted someone to feel like he did on the inside. Lost. Empty. Hurting.

“So what if he does. At least he's not a lousy drunk!” Melissa yelled and before she knew what happened, she saw AJ's fist ball up and come at her. The punch to her lip stunned her, but his fist connected again to her cheek and she put her hands up to defend herself.

“Fucking bitch! How dare you call me that!” AJ roared, backing her to the bed, his body leaning on hers as she bent backward on the bed.

“Get off me, AJ!” Melissa yelled fighting to get away, neither of them hearing the door open until Kevin was pulling AJ off of her.

“We could hear the yelling from down the hall,” he said as Brian followed. “Alex, stop!” Kevin tightened his grip on the smaller man until AJ just stood there. “God you smell like booze,” his green eyes went to Melissa's face. Her eyes was swelling shut and her cheek was bruised good.

“What happened?” Brian asked softly, pulling her up from the bed. He wasn't able to look at AJ just yet, not quite believing their loveable friend was acting like this. He'd only seen the angry outburst a couple of times when AJ was stressed, but never laid a hand on anyone, especially a woman. It was worse than the rest of them had thought.

“She wouldn't shut the fuck up about Fatone idiot,” AJ snarked, trying to get away from Kevin. “Told me she was leaving to go see those fuckups next week.”

“What is she? I don't see anything saying she's your property, Bone. She's allowed to go where she wants.”

“Then who's going to take care of me?” AJ asked Brian loudly, still angry. “Who the hell cares...” AJ shook his head, still clearly drunk. “Just let her go. She's just like all the other groupies. I was good til something better came along.”

Melissa couldn't believe what she was hearing. AJ had been a friend. A close friend and now he was talking to her like she was just a piece of trash. “I'm your friend, AJ,” she swallowed and gingerly touched her face. “But this changes things...” she took a long breath and smiled at Brian. “Tell..Tell Nicky C and Howie I had to leave early, okay?” Then Melissa's eyes met Kevin's and her eyes watered some. “I need to talk to you, Kev.”

“Bri, stay here with the dumbass,” Kevin let AJ go, who shoved him away and went to sit on the couch and light a cigarette. He watched as the blonde girl gathered up her purse and suitcase that hadn't even been opened. They walked into the hallway and down to his room and he was glad that it was quiet.

“I'm not pressing charges on one condition, Kevin. AJ needs help. Professional help-rehab. I love him, he's a wonderful person when he's not drinking,” Melissa said, turning around to study her face in the mirror. It looked bad. “I never thought I'd let someone hit me. I didn't do anything to him, Kev.”

“I know, sweetheart. And you've...” Kevin's words fell off for a moment. “You've stuck with him longer than we all thought. I know you two weren't dating, but you were good for him. You put up with his shit. But this is too much, even for us to handle,” he went to the bathroom and came back out with a wet washcloth with ice in it from the ice bucket. “We've got a big mess to fix,” he said with a sigh, accepting a hug from Melissa. Kevin looked down at her and felt bad he wasn't more worried about Melissa, but he'd had no idea AJ was so bad. “Did you see this coming?”

“Honestly, no. You all knew he was drinking and nothing was ever this...bad,” Melissa let him go and stepped back. “I am not going to the media, but if my family asks, I am telling them the truth. I just want AJ to get the help he needs. If he doesn't want to go, Kev... I'm not going to enable him to hit someone else. He can sober up in jail.”

Kevin fought back tears. He could see her point and at the same time, AJ was like a brother to him. “Let's just pray he does the right thing, then. Are you sure you don't need anything, hon?” he asked again, watching her wince putting the ice pack back on her face.

“No. Go be with AJ..I will call the hotel from my cell phone and get a room down the hall...I'll be fine.” Melissa gave him a watery smile, watching him leave. She felt tears run down her face as the door shut softly. Her phone buzzed and she looked at it, groaning. Lance would decide to call her in the middle of the night.

*^*^*^*^*^

“Hey,” Lance said, a good buzz going on as he laid in his hotel room. He and Chris had went out to dance and have a good time. For once, he and his sister were in the same time zone and he hadn't talked to her in a few days.

“Hi, Lance. How are you?” Melissa questioned, knowing she couldn't hide the fact she was crying. Even if she did, her brother would get it out of her.

“I'm good. You sound like you're either sick or crying. Everything okay?”

“Ummm,” Melissa took a breath and closed her eyes. “No. Not really. And before I tell you anything, you have to promise you won't talk until I'm done.”

“I don't like the sound of this, Mel.” Lance sat up a little straighter in bed, hearing her cry harder. “Melly, you're killing me. Is something wrong? Are you in trouble?” He listened as the story spilled out, keeping quiet even though he was pissed, his fist automatically balling up at the thought of a man hitting a woman.

“So you're not pressing charges as long as he goes to rehab?” he questioned again, running a hand through his hair. “What does it look like?” he questioned, praying it wasn't as bad as he thought.

“I'll send you a picture when I get off here. I need to get a room and move my stuff out of Kevin's room. I love you, Lance. Don't tell anyone. Especially Joey...” her voice trailed off.

Lance closed his eyes and swallowed hard. It wasn't like he hadn't kept a secret before. It was just the magnitude of what he wasn't telling. He didn't care what the media might say, even though they would blow it up into something bigger than it was. The rag magazines would say that AJ was a woman beater or that his sister let herself get beaten up. He wasn't going to tell because he knew what his best friend would do. Joey would be on the next flight to wherever they were and AJ would find himself in the hospital. Despite the fact they hadn't talked in a few months, Joey would gladly go to to jail for someone touching Melissa in less than a loving manner. “I won't tell. Just promise me you aren't going to be around him anymore.”

“I'm not. He has to get help...And I'll be in Florida next week for a few days.”

“Don't change the subject,” Lance told her, leaning back on the pillows. “Can you cover it up with make up?”

“Maybe in a few days...right now I look like I got in a boxing ring with Floyd Money Mayweather,” Melissa told him. “I'm begging you don't tell anyone, Lance.”

“I'm not saying a word, sis. As much as I might want to, I'm keeping my mouth shut. For AJ's sake as much as yours. Joey would be on the first plane there if he knew. I don't think it would help us any to have a member of NSYNC in jail.”

“I've been to jail.”

Lance smirked and shook his head at her. “Go take care of yourself. Call me if you need me. I love you, Melissa Nicole.”

“Love you too James Lance.”

Lance let her go and sat there and stared at the television. It made him angry that AJ had that bad of a drinking problem and no one saw it. Or either they did and ignored it. The thought crossed his mind for a moment that maybe he did it when no one was there so they didn't know how much the man had drank. In any case, no one should be hitting his sister. Or any woman for that matter, but as her brother he was overly protective. And some son of a bitch laid hands on her. He wiped a tear and thought of her begging him not to tell anyone. He'd promised and at the same time, he hated himself for it. If he was ready to go break AJ's neck, Joey would go completely off. His phone chimed and he looked at the picture Melissa sent. The only thing that kept him from calling his father was Melissa's voice coming to his head once more. She had made a promise to him as well, to stay away from AJ. So they both had to trust one another to do what they said. Even if he hated it.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

The NSYNC entourage rolled down the highway to Atlanta and the next show before they were in Florida and the end of this leg of the tour. At this point, all five members of NSYNC were ready for a break. It never showed during the shows. They still gave everything they had for their fans, but much of the giddiness of starting a tour had waned. In the dressing room earlier that evening, Rachel had observed that 3/5 of NSYNC seemed preoccupied. She could speak for sure on JC, who was still digesting the news of his impending fatherhood. Joey and Lance she couldn't say, and Chris and Justin had both given the three of them a hard time until they snapped out of their moods somewhat; enough to laugh and cut up during dinner from catering and hacky sack.

Now she and JC were on the bus in the front with JC scribbling down something in his notebook. She was in a pair of soft cotton capris and an NSYNC t-shirt, loving that all of the guys roamed the buses in t-shirts and shorts, relaxed. JC was in some sweatpants and a University of Maryland t-shirt, his hair still damp from the shower and curled up some around his ears. “C?” she said, watching him write.

“Yep?” he asked, holding a finger up, marking something out and writing something beside it. JC put his pencil down and looked at her. “Need something?” he asked, looking concerned.

“No. I'm fine...I just..I want to tell Lance. We've waited all day,” she said, knowing Lance was in the back watching television.

“Alright,” JC took her hand and squeezed it, following Rachel to the back. He swallowed hard, praying the other man would take the news alright and not hate either one of them.

“Hey,” Lance looked up from his phone and smiled at Josh and Rachel as they sat down on the couch. He was in the recliner. “I didn't figure I'd see either one of you tonight,” he gave them a smirk.

Rachel gave a small chuckle and squeezed JC's hand tight. “We need to talk to you, Lance. It's important.”

Lance raised an eyebrow and closed his phone, sitting up a little straighter. “Is something wrong?” he asked, concerned. He'd had his mind on his sister that day, relieved when she texted him saying she was back in Los Angeles with just a few hiccups in travel and media and that she'd be off the next month since the club was closed for vacation. He'd asked her to go to Orlando, but she said she'd just see him when she got to Miami for the last show. His green eyes traveled from Rachel over to JC, waiting for one of them to speak.

“I...I mean, JC and I..we're having a baby.” Rachel felt like it was telling JC all over again as she looked at Lance. She quickly wiped a tear and continued. “We..we weren't trying for me to get pregnant, Lance. And I know I'm supposed to be your cover...I..I'm sorry.”

Lance sat there for a few moments, letting the words run through his brain until they straightened out until they made sense. He looked at them both and saw that Rachel was squeezing JC's hand so hard his fingers were a red color. “Rachel..let go of JC's hand before you break his fingers,” he moved to sit beside her. He wanted to be mad. To tell her she was ruining what they had, that she'd promised him to be his 'cover' until the tour ended. Except when his mouth opened, none of that came out. “I love you, Rachel. And when I told you that you could be with JC, it was with a hope that the two of you would be a couple. And you've had to hide that.” Lance gave her a smile and looked at JC before studying Rachel's face once more. “I'm breaking up with you, Rach. You are still one of my best friends that I've had-the best female friend. But I can't ask you to keep pretending to love me for appearances.”

Rachel hugged Lance long and hard, her tears soaking his shirt. JC didn't say anything, he just patted her back comfortingly and Lance just held her. She was scared for Lance, not wanting him to be hurt. She pulled away from him finally to see that he had unshed tears. “You and Josh suck at being mad at someone. You should be mad at me,” her lip quivered and he became blurry again.

Lance chuckled and pinched the bridge of his nose. “I'm not mad. Just...surprised. What am I supposed to say, Rach? How can I be mad at a baby? Isn't that what happens when you have sex? I highly doubt either of you planned for it to happen, seeing how Joshua over there has looked like someone made him eat liver and onions all day. His mind's not been here. Joey hasn't noticed cause he's going through enough shit. I only noticed since Chris was the one barking orders and not JC,” he confessed, pushing back the thoughts of his sister. This was a lot on his plate and he could either get pissed off or he could deal with it. “Please tell me you're taking care of her, Chasez, or I will dump your body out the back of the bus.” Lance's tone held no teasing to it and his gaze hardened at the slightly older man.

“We're planning on getting engaged or married..whichever one Rachel is more comfortable with before the baby's born. I'd prefer married, but it's up to her,” JC told Lance. “I'm not leaving her. I'm taking care of her, Lance. You don't have to worry about that. We love each other.”

Lance nodded and then looked at Rachel, his features softening. “He treats you bad, makes you cry, doesn't buy you five gallons of ice cream and rub your feet, you call me.”

“What about you?” Rachel asked softly, winding her fingers through Lance's. “You can't tell me this doesn't bother you. I mean, what are you going to do?”

Lance shrugged, looking down. “Not sure yet. It's hard to be out when I have four other guys to think about. I've not told anyone in so long about being gay, it just seems better to keep lying about it until the tour is over. It's not like I can't be single.”

“It's not fair to you, man,” JC spoke up, studying his friend. Lance was like his brother and he wanted him happy. “I'm just telling you this..if you wanted to come out, we'd support you. All of us. You deserve to have someone love you. A man of your dreams.”

Lance gave JC a smile and his heart swelled at the words. “I know..and I'll find my Prince Charming one of these days,” he let out a sigh. “Right now there's enough media shit with Joey, and when they get wind of this, no matter if it's a couple weeks or months or whatever, it will be insane. I am not adding to it with an announcement that I'm gay. I think it would be the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak. I will be alright and deal with it all.” He accepted hugs from both Rachel and JC, kissing Rachel on the lips chastely. “It will be hard not to pull you to me,” he told her, giving her a grin.

“I know,” Rachel told him, scooting back to lounge in JC's arms after she let Lance go so he could sit back. “I guess all that's left now is telling the guys and management and our families. Well, your sister knows.”

Lance rolled his eyes. “Of course she does. You two should be conjoined twins with the way you can't keep something from one another.” He knew his sister hadn't told Rachel what had happened and he himself wasn't spilling the beans on that.

“We don't tell each other everything. There are some things about Joey I told her I never wanted to know,” Rachel informed him, laughing when Lance blush and JC turned red. “And I never want to hear stories either. I hear enough from Melissa about the tour bus back in the day and it gives me nightmares.”

Lance laughed. “Joey's done better since then. At least all the porn is put up now and not just laying out. Was embarrassing as Hell to have my Dad find a movie shoved in the cabinet with the chips. Joey grabbed it and goes 'Oh, I've been looking for that, thanks Jim.' I could have killed him.”

“What happened after that?” Rachel asked, knowing Melissa had come on that tour as well.

“He made sure my sister was sleeping in a separate bunk away from Joey. Of course Mel never listened and she'd climb into Joey's bunk since he kept it minus fifteen in there. She'd get under the covers and cuddle up to him and he'd wake up bitching that her hair tickled his nose.”

JC snorted and shook his head. “He was as happy as a cock in a henhouse. I never heard any complaints.”

Rachel got quiet for a few moments. “You think they'll get back together?” she asked both men. “I mean, none of this happened like we had it planned out when we were younger,” her mouth twitched into a small smile as they gave her a look. “We're girls. And as best friends, we wanted to get married and have kids that grew up together and were best friends.”

“I think if my sister will come home from Cali, that will help. She's still in love with Joey. There's still time for all the marriage and kids stuff. You just got a jump on it all. You alright?” Lance asked as he watched Rachel get still.

JC looked concerned when Rachel didn't move and then suddenly jumped up and ran for the bathroom. “Need help?” he called to her as the door shut.

“Got someone helping already,” Rachel yelled back behind the closed bathroom door as she leaned over the toilet. The nausea had come on suddenly and she hated it. She was ready for this to be done. Seven more weeks was typically when morning sickness ended, at the three month mark. “Come on, kid, work with me,” she muttered, putting a hand on her stomach.


JC looked at Lance. They could hear Rachel a little and he hated the thought of her being sick. “You sure you're alright?” he questioned the blonde man who was watching him.

“I'm okay, JC. You look like you're about to wig out. Women have been having babies for a long time, man. The morning sickness will go away. Or night sickness...” Lance's voice trailed off and he sighed. “I think this news calls for a good stiff drink,” he announced, getting up and coming back a few minutes later with two shot glasses and some vodka.

“To you and Rachel,” he said, pouring them both a shot.

“To you finding the man of your dreams.”

Neither one of them heard Rachel come back, looking at them taking a second shot. “I hate you both,” she muttered. It wasn't that she wanted to drink, but it was just the principle of the matter.
Chapter 37 part 1 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
Yes...I know...I updated. I will try and get a few chapters up. Enjoy!!
Rachel's eyes studied the four men that were gathered in JC's hotel room after JC called an impromptu meeting. Chris and Justin were talking a basketball game, Lance was fiddling with his phone and Joey was pretending to watch the show that was playing on the television. In his hand was a Zippo lighter that he was flipping open and shutting.


“Let's get this started, C. I have to go whip the the ol' man's ass at HORSE,” Justin said, flicking Chris's ear.


“Shut up, Curly Sue. Oh wait, you shaved your curls off." Chris reached out slapping Justin's hand. "You still cheat.”

"You're just a sore loser," Justin taunted as he continued flicking Chris's ear. "Getting too old to hang with the younger kids."

"Keep it up Fucker," Chris swatted Justin's hand. "You're gonna be toast."

JC watched them banter back and forth. He reached behind him and felt Rachel take his hand. He gave it a reassuring squeeze. He was nervous and he wasn't sure why. These guys were his friends; they weren't going to turn their backs on him. It helped having Lance already know what was going on. There was already one person on his side. He sighed looking at the other three men who had yet to know what had been going on right under their noses. "This meeting has nothing to do with us as a group, actually. It has to do with me and Lance and Rachel." He watched as Joey, Justin and Chris stopped what they were doing and looked at each other before turning their attention to him. He took a deep breath. "Rachel and I have been seeing each other since the accident--"

"I was fucking right!" Justin yelled, fist pumping. "I knew there was something going on!"

JC smiled at Rachel. "Lance was kind enough not to stand in our way and let us secretly date."

Joey looked at Lance. He was a little hurt that his best friend hadn't told him this. It was a pretty significant piece of news. At the same time, a lot of shit had been happening in his own life that he'd only been half aware of, he doubted he would have noticed anyone else's comings and goings.

"Wait a minute... why didn't we know?" Chris asked looking at them? "We not good enough to tell anything to?"

"Yeah man, we would have kept your secret," Justin stated. "You didn't have to keep it from us."

"No, it's not that," JC told them sighing. "We thought it would be easier this way. Lance would still have his cover in public and our relationship wouldn't... well... the wrong person..."

"You didn't want Kristen to find out." Joey said flatly.

"Sorry Joey," Rachel said softly. "It wasn't just her. We didn't want people to find out about me and JC and cause problems and rumors for me and Lance. We realize we should have told you guys from the beginning. It was just easier to control if no one knew."

"When did this happen, Dawg? I mean, I know these dorks were oblivious," Justin dodged Chris's hand, swatting him away. "It was the 'Girlfriend' shoot wasn't it? You two were sending off some serious vibes. It was hot."

Rachel blushed and looked down not sure why she was embarrassed at everyone knowing. "The feelings have been there for awhile since around Thanksgiving..."

"Thanksgiving!" Joey, Chris and Justin shouted together jumping to their feet.

"You've been secretly dating since Thanksgiving and you're just now telling us!" Justin yelled.

Lance rolled his eyes. "You're an idiot. What these oblivious morons are trying to say is they've ignored their feelings since Thanksgiving."

"Thanks... I think..." Rachel sent Lance a look, rolling her eyes when he grinned at her. "For our own reasons we didn't act on our feelings until after the accident Mel and I were in."

"You're okay with this?" Chris asked Lance. Now that he knew JC and Rachel were together looking back he couldn't believe he didn't see. The 'Girlfriend' video shoot should have given it away.

Lance smiled. "Sure I am. I know if the situation was reversed and I found a guy I wanted to be with, I know Rachel would have let me go."

"Tearfully," Rachel teased.

"Rachel's the luckiest woman we know." Joey said with a bemused smiled. He meet the other occupant's confused looks. "Just think about it. She had Lance and JC."

"Not that lucky," Justin grinned. "She hasn't had me."

"She's not ever going to, either." JC sent Justin a look.

"She doesn't want to," Rachel said.

"There's girls that would give up their best friend for that sort of thing."

"What sort of 'thing 'are you talking about?" JC looked at Joey. "We didn't have a threesome." His words caused everyone to break out into laughter.

"Oh shit," Chris laughed wiping a tear that escaped. "That's a good one, C."

"What do you see in him anyway," Justin asked as the laughter died. "He's too damn skinny and boney."

"She likes his bone," Joey snickered.

"Your face is so red, Rachel," Lance laughed as Justin and Chris collapsed against each other laughing. "You're gonna break a lot of hearts JC when you advertise you're dating Rachel."

"They can lust after Justin," JC told Lance before looking at Justin. "Though I'm not sure why."

"Not sure why? Look at this face?" Justin grinned pointing to himself.

"Exactly," Chris rolled his eyes, slapping the back of his head.

"That's it," Justin said as he rubbed his head. "Time for your ass to get taken to the cleaners."

"We're not done yet," JC spoke up seeing the guys gather their things to leave. "We have something else to tell you." The butterflies came back and he felt sick. The guys had taken the news of he and Rachel dating better than he thought, but this news was bigger.

"More?" Joey asked sitting back down on the couch. He saw JC's face had paled and Rachel looked like she wanted to puke. He frowned staring at his two friends wondering what else they could say. As JC opened his mouth, Joey suddenly knew what JC was about to say.

"Rachel's pregnant."

Rachel watched as Justin's and Chris's mouth drop in shock. She tightened her hold on JC's hand as she waited for someone to say something. She saw Chris look at JC then at Lance, then back to JC. "The baby is JC's. Lance and I," she could feel her face heat. "That relationship between us ended when JC and I started dating."

"So..." Justin paused as his brain fought to keep up with the information. "Wow."

"How do you feel C?" Chris asked JC.

"My brain still hasn't wrapped around the fact that I'm going to be a dad. I'm doing better than I was when Rachel first told me," he smiled at Rachel. "I'm excited and scared and wondering what the hell I'm going to do when Rachel's grandfather hires someone to break my kneecaps."

"That's my gig. I'm from New York so I get to do the mafia bit." Joey told JC. "He's not gonna do anything to you without coming through us first." He stood up and made his way to JC and Rachel. "I'm really happy for you both," he hugged Rachel first, then JC. "Does that mean you and Lance are calling it quits?"

Rachel nodded. "We're ending our fake relationship."

"Looks like we're taking you out drinking tonight." Joey said as he sat down on Lance's lap.

"Why?" Lance grunted. "Get your fat ass off me."

"Because you just found out your girlfriend was not only cheating on you but is pregnant. That's grounds for your best buds to take you out and get you fucked up drunk."

"And trash the bitch." Justin grinned. "Fucking whore."

"Hey!" Rachel glared at Justin. "I'll break your damn knee caps."

"Joking Rachel, joking!" Justin held his hands upp to ward Rachel off. "You know I love you," he hugged Rachel. "I'm happy for you and C."

"Can you please get your fat ass off of me, Fatone," Lance pushed at Joey. "You're my sister's type, not mine. If she wants to bang your Chewbacca looking ass, then she can have at it."

"I'm not that hairy," Joey pretended to be hurt. "I haven't talk her either, so who knows."

"Like you can keep Chica away," Justin told him. "Hey, you're naming the kid after me right? Justin or Justine works."

"There's no way in hell I'm naming the baby after you, Timberlake," JC told Justin as he laughed.


“It can be Anthony James Scott Alan Randall Chasez,” Rachel said with a grin.


“I got the first middle name you bitches,” Joey flipped them all off.

“And the only part we're keeping is the Chasez for now.” JC said with a grin thinking of a baby with his name.

"Can you imagine how the media would love that?" Rachel rolled her eyes. "Dating Lance, having JC's baby, but name the baby after Justin."

"You're such a whore," Chris teased. "Seriously, we're happy for you," he hugged Rachel then JC. "I wish you'd have let us know sooner so I could have started making jokes at JC when he came out of the hotel room looking like he'd been rode hard and put away wet."



“Just cause you weren't getting any, don't hate on me,” JC retorted. He ran a hand through his hair, giving Rachel a smile as he pulled her to him. “Now we don't have to sneak around to do this,” his lips met hers and he smiled at the wolf whistles and bawdy yelling that ensued. JC smiled and nuzzled her cheek. “Are you okay?” he whispered as she nodded.


Rachel let JC go and smiled. She was happy that their friends had accepted their relationship and news of them having a baby. It was just her hope and prayer that management would take the news in a positive light. “I'm staying here while you go take on the big guns.”

“You're telling Johnny tonight?” Lance's head snapped up when he overheard them. He frowned and watched the rest of the guys crowd around them.“Mind if we come with?”


“The more the merrier. Least I'm not doing this on my own. I'd rather face Rachel's grandfather than Johnny,” JC told them, giving Rachel a lingering kiss. “Be back in a little while,”he told her, giving her an encouraging smile. “I love you.”

“I love you too, Weatherly,” Chris told Rachel, grabbing her and dipping her dramatically and pretended to kiss her before standing her upright again.

“You've lost your mind, Kirkpatrick,” she yelled standing in doorway of the hotel room as they went down the hall.

“You can't lose what you never had, woman!” Justin yelled back, blowing her a kiss before they got onto the elevator.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“So you told the guys?” Melissa asked Rachel, standing in front of her bed looking at the clothes there were piled there. She had everything she owned off the hanger and none of it looked like anything she wanted to wear.

“Yeah. They all took it good. Even Joey,” Rachel added. “Now they are talking with Johnny. I'm more worried about that. They could always recommend that I don't come on tour with JC...” her voice trailed off at the thought of being 'banned' from touring.

“That's stupid. They can't do that. Johnny wouldn't do that unless he wanted a mutiny on his hands.”

“Justin wanted us to name the baby after him,” Rachel told her, smiling and shaking her head. “They were all really happy about it,” she swallowed, getting a little choked up at the thought. It could have gone worse and she was thankful that they all took it in stride.

“Timberlake's messed up in the head. He can have his own kid and name it after him,” Melissa told Rachel, listening to her friend sniffle. She could only guess what Rachel was thinking. “It will be alright, Rach. JC will make them understand. And if he can't he has four other enforcers. Now you just have to tell your families.”

“I told you and Lance. That counts as family,” Rachel told her, closing her eyes. She didn't want to think about that right this second. They had the time between the tour to inform family. Besides that, the more people that knew, the more likely it was that someone would let it slip. At the same time, it was her family. She wanted them to know about her and JC and that they were going to have a baby. “How was Dallas?” Rachel finally asked, wanting to change the subject. She didn't want to sit and think about what was possibly happening in that meeting.

“It was good up until the point AJ decided to hit me when I told him I was going to Miami.”

“What? He hit you!” she yelled, waiting for an explanation. Tears came to her eyes as she listened. “Does anyone else know? What the hell is going on, Mel?” she asked quietly, scared of what might happen if a lot of people knew.

“Lance and you,” Melissa replied, sitting on the edge of the bed. “It will look better in a few days, Rach. He didn't mean to do it. It shouldn't have happened, but it did. I'm just glad Kevin and Brian were close. His drinking has gotten so bad, Rachel. He's never once gotten violent like that. Ever. I think they all knew he was drinking, but they just didn't know how much.”

“I think they need to make sure he's totally done with that crap before they go back on tour. I know he's your friend, Mel.”

“It was nice to have a friend that was a guy. I mean, I have the guys...but it wasn't the same. It still sucks. I'm not packed. Everything I own is on my bed and none of it looks like anything I want to wear.”

Rachel rolled her eyes and laughed at her friend. “You still have a couple days to pack. Why are you freaking out about it now? I mean,, Joey won't care if you came in a paper bag. Seriously...you have some cute clothes.”

“Yeah, but to him I'm just Melissa Bass, Lance's little sister.”

“Don't make me reach through the phone and smack you! Are you even listening to yourself? You're talking about Joey Fatone. The same Joey Fatone who would call you in the middle of the night from across the ocean to sing you stupid songs and help you with math homework. This is the guy who snuck into our school and surprised you on your birthday when he was supposed to be recording an album, was it not?”

Melissa nodded, trying not to cry. She'd been so upset that she wouldn't see Joey on her birthday since he was in Los Angeles recording the first NSYNC album for the United States release. She'd come out of History class to put her books up and there was Joey standing there like he'd just been waiting the whole time. When she asked where he'd come from, he just shrugged, telling her that he hadn't had time to get her anything, that he'd have to do as her present. In true Joey fashion, he then made fun of her when she cried on him. “Okay so he likes me. A lot.”

“He loves you, you freaking dork!”

“Fine, he loves me.” Melissa laid back on her clothes and sighed. “I miss you. The traffic sucks here. I want to just be able to drive and it not take two hours to get everywhere.”

“I miss you too,” Rachel replied, sniffling. “God, when are you moving back to Florida? All you've had in California is bullshit. It's not the place for you, Mel. You are not a California girl.”

“You tell me that now,” Melissa teased, sighing. “Why didn't you tell me that before I moved?”

“When you get to Miami, I'm so kicking your ass.”
*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

JC slipped quietly into the hotel room and slipped off his shoes and shirt, tossing them towards the closet. It was later than he wanted it to be and cursed that there would be a wake up call in a few hours. He could make out Rachel's sleeping form and stood there watching her. The meeting with management had went longer than he'd wanted, but in the end, the results were some he could live with. Josh smiled when Rachel snuggled into him, kissing her forehead softly.

“Hi. I couldn't stay awake anymore,” Rachel whispered. She'd tossed and turned in bed before finally getting still and falling asleep after talking to Melissa. “How did it go?” she asked JC, running fingers through his hair.

“It went better than what I thought it would have. PR is going to have it spin that you and Lance split mutually. As far as you and I go, whatever we decide is our business until we are ready to let the public know. They were more worried about how you were doing and if you were sure you wanted to keep me around.”

Rachel could hear the smile in his voice, one that said he was relieved. “Are you sure there wasn't more than that?” she pushed, hearing JC sigh.

“There were a few things that weren't fit for your ears, but none of us could understand it either. Joey was yelling in Italian and he stormed out.”

“It's only a couple days until Miami. Mel will be here then,” Rachel informed him, thinking of Joey for a moment. She almost told him about the incident with AJ, but kept her mouth shut. There was enough going on without that and she wanted to know what was said. “Talk to me, Josh. We can't start keeping secrets now.”

“It's not a secret, Rachel,” JC pulled her into his arms. “They weren't happy. Johnny wanted to know what I was doing, if I had my head up my ass and if I was going to finish the tour. I told him of course. The rest of the guys backed me up when I told him that if I heard a peep out of anyone about you, even if it was a rumor, that I was going to go completely off.”

“I don't think I've seen you mad. I mean really mad.”

“It's not something you really want to see, baby.” JC's hand found her cheek and he stroked it. “I'm so ready for some time off. I want to talk to our families and let them know and I want some time with you.”

“I like the time with you part,” Rachel replied, kissing him softly on the lips. “Especially if I want to try and plan a wedding.” She'd thought about it, deciding she would rather be Mrs. Chasez by the time their baby was born.

JC smiled in the dark and pressed his lips to hers, deepening the kiss after a moment. “I haven't even proposed yet,” he pointed out, his mouth finding her jawline and making a trail up to her ear. “However, I was hoping you would say that.” He had an idea of what he was going to do and what he wanted the ring to look like, but Rachel didn't have to know that.

“I just thought if there wasn't enough for you to think about besides touring and performing, I would throw that in there,” she told him, finding his mouth and kissing him.

“Despite what the guys say, I'm an excellent multi-tasker,” JC informed her.

Rachel moved around to where JC was on top of her. “I only want you to worry about one thing right now.”
Chapter 37 part 2 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
Part 2 of this chapter.
'Miami. Finally.' Melissa yawned tiredly as she grabbed her luggage from the carousel from baggage claim at Miami International Airport. She was ready to find a bed, fall into it and sleep; changing into sleep wear optional. The day had been a killer. She spent the whole day in airports. Her day had started off getting up in the middle of the night for her flight out of LAX to make the cross country trek. That had been the only thing to go right.

The flight was supposed to take her into Atlanta where she would endure a short layover before jumping on another plane that would take her into Miami where she would meet Rachel's and Holly's smiling faces. Then it was to the arena for the last concert of this leg of the 'Celebrity' tour. That was what was supposed to happen.

What had actually happened was instead of flying into Atlanta, they encountered a spring storm in Atlanta. The plane had been unable to land and had been rerouted to St. Louis. Why St. Louis, Melissa had no idea. There were many airports closer to Atlanta where they could have landed. But she was just a pawn and instead of flying closer to Miami she was flying further away.

Melissa was thankful she packed her phone charger in her carry on bag because there was no way her battery would have lasted the entire layover in St. Louis. She had talked to Rachel letting her know the news and she certainly gotten her money worth on the unlimited text especially once the concert started. Rachel and Holly text her letting her know what song was performing and how the concert was going.

When she finally made it to Atlanta, the whole flight schedule had been shot and she had to find another connecting flight to Miami. The saving grace during the struggle to find a connecting flight through all the other disgruntled passengers had been a voicemail on her phone. While she had been in mid-flight, Rachel called. The boys had performed 'I Thought She Knew' and Rachel had let her voicemail catch them singing. She must have called her voicemail ten times just to listen.

Now here it was two in the morning. Melissa was standing outside the airport hailing a cab. One phone call would have yielded seven people offering to come and pick her up but she didn't want to bother them. The guys just had a show; they would be passed out sleeping after having come down off the post show high. If they decided to go out afterward, well they wouldn't be in condition to drive. She knew Rachel and JC didn't go out, but she didn't want to bother her pregnant friend. She needed her sleep. It was just easier to grab a cab to the hotel.

She tossed her luggage into the backseat and climbed in the back of the cab after and told the drive the name of the hotel. She sighed and leaned against her luggage, thankful that during the excursion her things hadn't been lost. 'Least that went right.' Nothing like being in Miami with no clean underwear.

Given the late hour it didn't take long before the cab pulled in front of the hotel where the guys were staying. After climbing from the cab, she pulled the fare from her purse and paid the driver. Grabbing her bags she smiled at the doorman, as he held the door open for her. As she bypassed the front desk, Melissa wondered briefly if she should get her own room. Justin had text her earlier stating that Joey wasn't hitting any clubs instead decided to go to bed.

'He makes Oscar look like one of the Teletubbies' She wasn't sure what that meant but figured Joey wasn't in a good mood. Deciding she could deal with a grumpy Joey, she road the elevator to the floor the guys were staying on. Her mind chanted 'bed bed bed' as she walked down the hall looking at the numbers on the door until she reached Joey's. She took a deep breath trying to dispel the butterflies that fluttered around in her stomach. Blowing out the breath, she knocked on the door. She frowned when there was no answer. She placed her ear against the door and heard no movement coming from the other side. Raising her hand, she knocked again; harder this time.

"Housekeeping," Melissa called, disguising her voice. She held a hand over her mouth to muffle the giggle when she heard a groan. "Housekeeping!" She bit her hand when she heard Joey start cussing. She back away from the door and pasted a big of a smile she could on her face. Being tired, it wasn't much of one but it was something.

Joey yanked the door open ready to give a piece of his mind at the person on the other side. He blinked sleepily when he saw Melissa. He rubbed a hand over his face before meeting her eyes. "You look tired, Bambina."

“Damn time zones and being stuck in an airport,” Melissa told him, wanting to reach out and touch Joey. It had taken this long to get to him and all she wanted was one of his hugs. “Can I have a hug?” she asked, biting her lip.

“Can you have a...?” Joey's last word fell off. The woman who had his heart and soul was asking if he'd hug her. “What kind of question is that?” Joey opened his arms, letting out a sigh when Melissa melted against him, her face buried in his chest. He felt something wet and ran a hand over her back, his eyes closed as his chin rested on her head. He grunted when he felt fingers at the nape of his neck pulling on the short hair that was there. “Look at me,” he told her pulling her chin up. Joey studied her tear stained face, frowning at what looked like bruising. “What the fuck happened there?”

“Let's go inside your room,” she replied, getting her bags in the door and leaving them. She watched Joey turn on the bathroom light and then she went in with some face cleaner to take off the make up. It was unnerving to have him watch her, his face getting angrier when she winced. The bruise was a greenish blue instead of purple like it was earlier in the week.

“I need a cigarette,” Joey growled, leaving her in the bathroom to go stand at the sliding door to the patio, blowing smoke out. He heard her come out of the bathroom and open a bag, rustling around and changing clothes. He didn't turn around when her hand met his back. “What's the bastard's name I'm killing?” he asked, taking a long drag off his smoke.

“AJ is going to rehab next week. He..he never hit me before, Joey-”

“No one should ever hit you!” Joey yelled, slamming the door and locking it. “Why did he hit you?” Joey watched her bite her lip and he pulled her to him. There was enough light coming from the bathroom that he could see the bruising and he let out a shuddering breath. “It killed me to leave Los Angeles and leave you in that bed. No matter if it was right or not. And now you come back to me and someone has put their hands on you...” Joey brought Melissa's fingers to his lips, kissing them softly before putting her palm against his chest where she could feel his heartbeat.

A tear slid down his face and Joey kissed her softly. A growl came from him when she whimpered. Joey deepening the kiss; his tongue snaked out, demanding entrance to her mouth. He could tell where he lip was swollen and that angered him more when he thought about it until Melissa's mouth opened. It was the same, kissing her, his tongue stroking hers. He broke off the kiss to study her face intently. “Tell me what happened,” he demanded, pulling her to the bed, smirking when he realized she was wearing one of his shirts from his bag.

Melissa waited until Joey had arranged the pillows where he could sit up and talk and she took the opportunity to curl up next to him. “I should ask how you're doing,” she said quietly, reaching over to stroke the hair at his temple.

“I asked you first. I'm fine,” Joey said, shifting around to where Melissa was now lounging in his arms, his fingers touching her skin. “Talk to me, Melly. We've got a lot to talk about.”

Melissa swallowed, nodding. She told Joey about AJ. She didn't leave anything out, even the parts she didn't want him to know, about her and AJ kissing, up to the incident in Dallas. Falling silent, Melissa waited for him to say something.

“I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to go break his fucking neck. He better not show up anywhere around you.”

Melissa nodded, sighing and scooting closer to Joey. “So, how are you?”

“I'm getting divorced. Papers should be done in a few weeks if not before. My house is on the market and I'm looking to buy closer to my parents...” his voice trailed off. “I'm doing better than I was. Pissed off that a woman would do that..rip apart my life. And yours. I mean, I wanted to be a father, but my heart was never in the marriage. Even when I quit talking to you, my heart was never full. I don't think it would have been even with a baby. Do you want to hear the whole story?” he asked, watching her nod slowly.

Melissa listened to him talk, loving the rise and fall of Joey's voice even if what he was saying was tearing up her heart. Like her story with AJ, he didn't leave anything out. He paused though when she put her arms around him and hugged him tightly, not bothering to hide her tears. Melissa heard him sniffle and pulled away to study his face, wiping his tears with her thumbs, neither one of them speaking. “Do you think you'll ever be happy again?” Melissa finally asked, surprised when Joey shifted her around in his arms so that she was lying across his body, her head cradled in his elbow as he looked down at her.

“Bambina mia,” Joey whispered, leaning in and kissing her. “Right now I am happy. I'm not letting you go. Do you love me?” Joey asked, his voice breaking a bit, scared she might answer in a way he wouldn't like.

“Do I love you?” Melissa's voice was high and tight with emotion. “I haven't stopped loving you, Joey. Do you love me?” she countered, smiling at his mustache tickling her ear as his lips grazed the spot just underneath it.

“When winter comes in summer, when there's no more forever, that's when I'll stop loving you...” Joey sang softly. “I want us again- you and me. I don't care what anyone says. I don't care what they think. I want you to pick out a house with me. A house for us to live in and get married and start a family. Tell me we can at least do that. Spend these three weeks off with me. I know you don't have work. Just be with me.”

“I thought it would be harder than this,” Melissa confessed to Joey. “That it would be awkward...And it's not.”

“Nothing between us has been hard..I mean, in a non sexual way,” he rolled his eyes at her snickering. “I'm being serious, Melissa Nicole.”

“Joseph Anthony.”

“Listen, bambina,” Joey pulled her down into the bed and sighed when her hands found his hair. “We've always been able to talk about anything. It hasn't changed. Right now I don't care if we ever mention the last six months or so ever again. It happened. The times I got to see you were the parts that kept me going. The rest of it felt like my soul was lost. Now I feel whole again.”

Melissa nodded, knowing exactly how he felt. “So what does that make us?” she raised an eyebrow as she carded her fingers through his hair as he buried his head in her neck and groaned appreciatively. She yanked on a lock of hair and felt his teeth nip her collarbone.

“It makes you mine,” Joey said, pulling the covers up and moving around until Melissa was in his arms.

“I'm going to call you George and love you and hug you and pet you...” Melissa teased, not tired anymore. “Let's go to the beach.”

“It's three in the morning.”

“Please,” she stuck her lip out and pouted, feeling Joey get still. “We haven't done anything fun in a long time.”

Joey opened one eye and sighed when she messed with his hair more. “On one condition,” he said, rolling her under him and pinning her arms down with his hands.

“What?” she asked, letting out a peal of laughter when he secured her wrists and tickled her. “What? Joey!” she screamed again and tried to get away from his fingers.

“Marry me. When we can get married...” his voice trailed off, knowing the obvious since his divorce wasn't final yet.

“Anything else?” Melissa asked with a smirk, lifting her head so her lips could meet his.

“What do you think?” Joey asked, letting his lips graze her neck.

“A baby...or two or three..” Melissa murmured as Joey's hand let hers go, his fingers skimming underneath the shirt she had on.

“Or five,” he mumbled, his lips grazing her skin.

“Joey...” she said, letting out a small whimper when his tongue found her earlobe. “God, Joey.”

“Still want to go to the beach?” he mumbled, raising up to look down at her.

“Yes,” Melissa swatted playfully at him as he pouted and got off her. She got up to dig around in her bag and laughed at him watching her find some shorts. “Don't pout, you big baby.” She laid her head on his when he put his head on her shoulder and stuck out his bottom lip. “You think that will get you anywhere?”

“Yes,” Joey said, kissing her cheek before letting her go and turning on the light on the nightstand to find some swim trunks and flip flops. “You better want to get wet.”

“You have to catch me first, Fatoney,” Melissa shoved her flip flops on and ran out the door, stopping in the hallway long enough for Joey to come out the door before taking off towards the elevators. She hit the down button and grinned when Joey caught her wrist. The door opened and Justin stood there looking at the both of them.

“Dawg, where the hell are the two of you going?” he asked, laughing when Joey picked Melissa up and threw her over his shoulder.

“The beach,” Melissa said, hanging upside down. She poked Joey in the back and then pinched his butt.

“Hey now,” Joey smacked her leg playfully and looked at Justin. “She bribed me,” he said innocently.

“I'm sure it took a lot to get you out of bed.”

“I was trying to keep her in it,” Joey told Justin with a chuckle.

“Have fun,” Justin yelled at the two of them as the elevator doors closed. He grinned big at the two of them together, happy and smiling. It had been too long since he'd seen that. The world was turning right once more.
Chapter 38 Part 1 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
2 chapters in one night. I love you guys for reading. Thank you for sticking with this story.
“So they were going to the beach?” Lance asked Justin, not quite sure he was believing the younger man's story as he sipped his orange juice.

“If I'm lyin', I'm dyin',” Justin replied, taking a bite of his scrambled eggs. “Dawg, Joey was smiling and your sister was laughing. It was the best thing I've seen since the year started.” His eyes shifted and he grinned, seeing Joey come in looking half asleep.

“There's part of the beach bums now,” Justin said, watching Joey sit down. “You look half dead, Joe.”

“Not awake yet. Hungry,” Joey grunted, smiling at Lance. “What's that smile on your face for?”

“Why are you smiling like you are?” Lance fired back, watching Joey sip some ice water. “You and my sister have a fun time last night?”

Joey ran a hand through his hair and smirked. “Fun...being woken up at two in the morning and drug to the beach. Then back to the hotel dripping wet and cold.”

“I'm sure you bitched and complained the whole time, dawg.”

“Not a damn bit,” Joey smiled wider, smacking the table as he got up to go help himself to the buffet.

Lance just shook his head and laughed when he spotted his sister coming in with Rachel and JC. “You think you're fooling everyone? I know where you were,” he called out to her, watching her wave him off to go to Joey and kiss him soundly on the lips. It made him feel good to see them together, his eyes going from one couple to the other that had joined them. Rachel and JC looked good together. Relaxed. He figured they were just glad to have to no longer keep their relationship a secret. “We're missing Chris and Holly.”

“Holly said they were staying a couple more days in Miami and I don't figure they'll be up until noon or so,” Rachel told Lance, stealing a piece of Melissa's bacon off her plate when she sat down. “Thanks, Bass.”

“Get up and get your own damn bacon. Or make JC do it.”

“Fiesty,” Rachel remarked with a smile. “Was she that way last night, Joey?” Her eyes met JC's and then went back to Joey, watching him pull apart a cinnamon roll.

“No, she was bossy...” Joey started to say until Melissa's hand covered his mouth and he grunted and pulled her hand away. “And then I had her right where I wanted her,” Joey laughed as Melissa glared at him.

“Well we know that wasn't in the kitchen,” Justin fired back with a chuckle as Melissa flipped him off.

“Laugh it up, Timberdoofus,” Melissa said, slipping her hand under the table to find Joey's and squeeze it.

“I'm not too worried about starving,” Joey told him, spearing a piece of cantalope.

“When is everyone leaving?” Lance asked, listening to them all talk about plans. Everyone but Justin was heading back to Orlando, at least for a few days. He had his own plans to go home and then head to Mississippi to see his grandparents and other relatives. The meal progressed and they were all about to leave when Holly and Chris came strolling in.

“Don't have the player, hate the game,” Chris told them as they sat down among the snickers that were happening. “We had to do something cause Joey sounded like a wounded werewolf at almost four thirty this morning,” he stated, making them all laugh.

“I wasn't that loud,” Joey grumbled.

“Dude, you need a muzzle,” Chris told him, shaking his head. “Of course I could just be giving you shit too.”

“Take him somewhere and tie him up and leave him for three weeks,” Joey told Holly. “No one will kidnap him cause he's a pain in the ass.”

“Boys, play nice,” Rachel told them as they all chuckled. She knew they were joking and at the same time, they were all glad for a break. She was more than ready to have some time with JC uninterrupted. Time to figure out what they wanted to do exactly with them. She smiled at Melissa who was leaning on Joey with his arm around her. You'd never have thought the last six months happened, seeing them together.

“We're all still gonna get together before the tour starts up again at someone's house for a party, right?” Justin asked as they all nodded. “Good, we'll go to Lance's,” he said as Lance shrugged.

“I don't care, long as you bring the food. I got the drinks and the pool,” Lance told them all as they nodded, trying to set a date before they all went their different ways. “The Friday before we go back, then?” he asked, putting it in his phone and then sending it to all of them.

“Your sister shouldn't have me tied up by then,” Joey told Lance, bumping his shoulder.

“On that note, it's time to leave,” Lance said, hugging his sister. “You know Mom and Dad want to see you,” he reminded her as she nodded. “Love you.” He watched Melissa and Joey say goodbye to everyone and head back towards the elevator to get their stuff.

“Hundred bucks says they'll be married within two weeks of Joey being single,” Justin told them.

“I'll take a piece of that,” Chris said, shaking Justin's hand.

“Two hundred says they go to Vegas,” Lance told them both.

“That's just wrong,” Rachel told them, grinning. “But make it five Lance. Five hundred says they go to Vegas within the first week.”

Holly and JC just listened and gave one another a look and shrugged.

“The stipulation to this is you can't hint about it or the bet is no longer in play,” Holly told them all. “You can't suggest it.”

“I can't believe you're even betting on this. Everyone's gonna lose,” JC remarked, folding his arms over his chest. “They aren't going to elope in Vegas. Cheat themselves out of a real wedding? Not a damn chance.” He smiled when they all looked slightly crestfallen and declared the bet off. Even though he and Rachel could elope, he wasn't going to do that. And he knew Joey wouldn't either. He had other things to think about besides a wedding, glancing down at Rachel's left hand. He wanted a ring on her finger before it was time to go back on tour. That was his main focus besides them telling their families and deciding what to do. JC gave Rachel a smile, taking her hand as they walked towards the elevator themselves. “My mom invited me over for a late lunch,” he told her when the doors closed to take them up to their floor. “You could come too and we could tell them the good news,” he suggested.

Rachel blew out a breath and nodded slowly. “I'd rather tell them first than my family, I think. Your mom won't mind if you bring me along?” Rachel had met Karen Chasez quite a few times and spent some time with her, but it was still different than going home with this sort of thing. All she could do was pray it would go well.

“Of course not. She'll be thrilled. Dad, Tyler and Heather will too,” JC reassured her. “It will be fine.”

“That's what they all say,” Rachel muttered under her breath as they stepped off to go to their room. She stopped to hug Melissa one more time as her friend and Joey left. “Be good while you're with that guy. I've heard he's one of those guys who can get you in trouble.” She gave a sweet smile to Joey.

“I'm a perfect angel,” Joey said, taking Melissa's bag and heaving it on his shoulder with the other. “Geezus, Bambina. What's in this?”

“Clothes. I didn't know what to bring.”

“So her whole closet is in there,” Rachel told him, patting Joey on the cheek. “Have fun. See you in Orlando.”

“I might be in traction by then,” Joey said, glad when a bellboy came, tossing the bags on the cart. “Thank God. Let's hit it, Bass. We got things to do.”

Melissa nodded, waving bye to Rachel. “Have fun with JC.”

“We're going to tell his family,” Rachel replied making a yikes face.

“At least you're not telling them you're having Chris's alien baby.”

Rachel laughed hard, shaking her head. “That's just wrong, Mel. That would imply I had sex with Chris...I love Chris, just not like that.”

“Damn...that would be one ugly baby. Would look like Chris,” Joey said.

“Yeah, go on. You've ruined the moment for me, Fatone,” Rachel told him, shoving him towards the elevator. “Now I'm gonna have nightmares.”

“Aren't we all,” Joey said, smirking when Melissa giggled. He slipped an arm around her as he fished out car keys. Johnny had their personal cars brought from Orlando to the hotel and he was more than ready to get back home. Slipping on his Oakleys, Joey gave her a smile. “Let's go home, Bambina.”

“Sweet home Orlando,” Melissa cheered as Joey pulled out of the parking lot to head towards the interstate. She was looking forward to the time off and reclaiming some of her Joey time. “What's first on the agenda?” she asked after he'd set the cruise control and reached for her hand.

“Meeting with the real estate agent. We'll get back just in time to meet him at the office. It's Pete Truman...the guy I used to get the house I'm selling,” Joey told her, amazed how easy the conversation was between them once they got started. He'd decided he wasn't letting Melissa go; he wasn't losing her again. Joey had his soul back. He glanced out of the corner of his eye and saw Melissa yawning. “I blame that on you,” his voice got high pitched. “Oh Joey, let's go to the beach at three in the morning. Swim with me, make love to me..”

“Shut up, Fatone! That last part was your idea,” Melissa half yelled, grinning big.

“I didn't hear you griping at all, Bambina.”

“Yeah, well...” Melissa shrugged, squeezing his hand. “You seduced me.”

Joey snorted and gave her a knowing look. “You know damn well it was the other way around. Like any sane guy would resist what you were doing. I was trying to tell you stop.”

“I think there was a 'don't' before the 'stop', Joey.”

“Whatever, Melly. I'll have to tell my Nona you took advantage of me,” Joey said, smirking when Melissa just glared at him before leaning the seat back. He watched her get comfortable and turned the radio down a little. “Hey, Bambina.”

“Yeah?” Melissa opened her eyes to look at Joey, watching him drive.

“I love you.”

She smiled and sighed contentedly. “I love you too.”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Rachel squeezed JC's hand and smiled nervously. The closer they'd gotten to his parents house, the quieter she'd become after spending the first hour and a half on the way home discussing how they were going to tell his parents and the possible reactions. It had started off joking and funny and then got serious. Now they were close and she just sat beside JC in silence and tried not to panic. She looked at him and realized he was looking at her as if he was waiting on an answer. “Did you say something, C?”

JC nodded and gestured to the windshield. “I asked if you were ready to go in.” They were sitting in the driveway and had been for a few minutes. He wasn't going to rush Rachel since he was nervous himself. He'd told her that his parents and siblings would be thrilled, but at the same time he didn't want Rachel to stress out even more than she was. JC looked her over, giving her a smile. “Just take a deep breath,” he said, taking one himself, “and remember I love you.”

Rachel returned JC's smile. “I love you too,” she replied, kissing him softly on the lips before getting out of the car. A smile came to her face when the door opened and JC's siblings came out to greet him before he got to the door.

“How are you guys?” JC asked, hugging Heather and then Tyler giving them a grin.

“Good,” Heather replied, giving a look at Rachel. “Rachel, right?” she asked as Rachel nodded, looking at her hand in JC's.

“I sort of brought surprise company,” he told her as they all made their way inside the house. JC didn't want to, but let go of Rachel's hand long enough to greet his parents, accepting their hugs before they spotted Rachel. “I brought Rachel with me, I hope you don't mind,” he told his Mom, suddenly not sure what to say about it all. He knew they knew she and Lance were dating and that they had a lot to explain.

“Of course not, Josh,” Karen Chasez told him, giving Rachel a small smile and noting her smile back. Her eyes flicked to her son and back to Rachel. She decided not to say anything, sure that if something was going on that JC would tell her. “We're glad you could come, dear.”

“Thanks, I've been here before, but it's been a few years. Christmas party, I think.” Rachel had met all of the parents of the guys, but didn't see them near as frequently as she did the Fatone's or the Bass'. She let out a breath and was glad when they were all seated at the table, the conversation going on all around her as they passed food. Rachel's plate wasn't very full and her stomach was already queasy since it was the afternoon.

“Please don't tell me you're dieting,” Heather said, a smile on her face as she pointed a fork full of macaroni salad at Rachel. “If you are, I'm going and buying a bacon cheeseburger and shoving it down your throat.”

Rachel smiled, shaking her head no. “I just have bus lag from being on a traveling bus and everything,”she told the girl, eating some. She got the food swallowed and then sat a minute. She closed her eyes, praying that what she felt like was happening wasn't. “C, where's the restroom?” she asked quietly, swallowing again and getting up.

“I'll show you,” JC replied, getting up as well, leading her quickly to the downstairs bathroom. The door was shut and he heard the fan turn on and sighed heavily. He nearly jumped when he turned to see his mother standing there.

“If she needs anything, get it for her,” Karen told him, watching JC nod and blow out a breath. “What's wrong?” she asked him, frowning when she heard Rachel heave again.

Rachel got sick and then flushed the toilet, rinsing her mouth and getting a drink of water from a disposable plastic cup. She dug into her pocket and produced a breath mint. It made her stomach settle some and she prayed it would get her through lunch, even though she doubted she'd eat anything until later that night.

“Nothing's 'wrong' per se...” JC's voice trailed off. “We should have talked before lunch...” he was relieved when Rachel opened the door, looking slightly pale. JC turned to her, his eyes full of worry.

“I'm fine, JC,” she told him quietly, looking at Karen. “Did you tell her yet?” she asked him, hearing him say no.

“We're having a baby. Rachel and I have been dating for a few months and um..we just recently found out the good news,” JC said, pulling Rachel to him.

Karen teared up, hugging them both. “I think lunch can wait,” she said, hugging Rachel once more as she wiped tears. “How far along are you?”

“Almost six weeks,” Rachel told her before they went back toward the dining room. She sucked in a breath when she felt JC squeeze her hand. The other people that had been left sitting at the table looked up expectantly.

“JC and Rachel have something they would like to tell you,” Karen said after a few minutes of silence and seeing her oldest son pale a bit.

“I..I mean, Rachel..We're having a baby,” JC told them, giving them a smile.

“Really?” Heather looked at them, surprised.

“No way!” Tyler said, shaking his head.

A small smile crossed Roy Chasez's face as he looked at the young couple that looked scared to death and relieved at the same time. He could imagine they were thinking they would be coming into a firing squad. “Well, when did all this come about?” he asked, pushing his plate away. He could see they were not going to eat anymore since this news superceded eating. “I mean, the last thing we heard was that Rachel was dating Lance.”

“Well, that's a whole different story, but we can just tell you our side of it,” Rachel said, letting herself be led into the den after accepting the offer from Karen for some hot tea. She sat on the loveseat next to JC and clasped his hand tightly.

“Rachel and I started having feelings for one another around Thanksgiving. We didn't act on any of those feelings because Lance and Rachel were a couple and we didn't want anyone to know...” his voice trailed off. Lance being gay was part of the story but he didn't feel like he needed that to come out right then. He knew the parents all talked, but still. JC would keep that to himself. “Then New Year's rolled around and the whole fiasco with Joey and Melissa that Kristen orchestrated.”

Between JC and Rachel, the story fell into place. Nothing was said about Lance's sexuality, just that they'd not wanted anyone to know especially when they realized how much Kristen could make them miserable if she knew. When it was done, they both just sat there, waiting for more questions and reactions.

“My only question is what are your plans with each other?” Roy asked, watching them smile.

“I haven't proposed yet, but we want to get married. I told Rachel she could choose when, either before the baby is born or after,” JC told him. “We haven't told her family yet, so that's going to come sometime soon. And we aren't ready for it to go public, so if you could keep it to yourselves until we let you know, that would be appreciated.”

“I think I want to be married before the baby is born. I have to make a doctor's appointment now that I'm home for a bit,” Rachel told them. “We want to keep this out of the media as much as possible. If we have a wedding, I think we'd both prefer a private ceremony. Family and close friends only... I don't want it to be a circus. JC and I both have enough of that without adding the drama of what is going on now.”

“I think that's a wise decision,” Karen declared softly. “How do you two feel about being parents?”

“Terrified,” JC admitted, giving Rachel a small smile. “Terrified and excited.”

“That pretty much sums it up perfectly,” Rachel said. She felt better than she had the rest of the day now that the news was out to JC's family and no one's head was being cut off. “I was just so worried that you would be mad at me or JC,” she whispered, wiping a tear quickly.

Roy grabbed a kleenex box and handed it to JC to hand to her. “Why would we be mad at the news of a grandchild?” he asked, watching her shrug and dab her eyes as JC hugged her. “You two clearly love one another...and even if we weren't thrilled about the timing, which doesn't matter one way or the other to a baby, it's not up to us. Some of the greatest blessings are the things you don't plan.”
Chapter 38 part 2 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
Part 2 of this chapter. Let me know what you think.
“Well, we have news,” Joey said, pulling Melissa to him and kissing the side of her head gently as they sat in his sister's living room. He saw the looks on everyone's faces. “What?”

“Is it a baby?” Janine asked, grinning.

Joey raised an eyebrow and chuckled, looking at Melissa. “They could care less about anything else. 'Knock 'er up, Joe. Make babies',” he said in a falsetto voice, shaking his head.

“It's not a baby,” Melissa told Joey's sister and smiled when she frowned. “We did buy a house though. About fifteen minutes from Joe and Phyllis. Well, we put the offer in. I don't think they'll reject the offer. It's beautiful..”

Phyllis looked at the two of them and tried her hardest not to tear up. She got up from the couch and hugged the two of them. “We'll have to get you some housewarming gifts.”

“We don't need anything, Mom,” Joey told her. “Well, maybe that Shiatsu massage chair...” he grinned as she harrumphed.

“We'll go shopping and leave him at home,” Phyllis told Melissa. “You'll be back in Florida,” the older woman hugged the younger one once more. No matter that Joey had married Kristen, this was her daughter as much as Janine was.

“Tell us about the house, son,” Joe Senior said as he and David fired questions off about the square footage and the yard.



The couple told them about the house, describing some of their favorite things. One of which was the backyard. There was a covered patio and a pool with landscaping. A rock path led away from the porch to a reflection pool that had palm trees around it and a wooden bench to sit at with lights along the path. It had felt like home when they were out there. They could see themselves living there and raising a family.

“It has two walk in closets. Since someone has more clothes than I do,” Melissa bumped Joey playfully as he just shook his head.

“You can go shopping. I'll even go with you,” he offered, threading his fingers through hers. “The kitchen was impressive. Even Melly thought she might cook.” Joey told them about the lighter cherry cabinets and the granite counter tops. The sink and dishwasher were on a massive island, leaving plenty of counter space and a double oven with a gas range and even an indoor grill next to the stove.

“There's a room next to the front door that's like a small library. I'm using that as my art room and reading room. It has a bay window and enough room for a lamp and a small chair, built in bookshelves.”

“There's an office on the first floor too, full bathroom, pantry.”

Phyllis shared a look with her husband, listening to Joey and Melissa talk about the house. She knew it might have been wrong since Joey was still married in a way, but she knew in her heart that this was right. They'd been through so much and were finally back together. It would be good for them to have a little time to themselves.

“My friend Holly is going back to Los Angeles in a few days, I think I am going to call her and see if she will take my food that's in my fridge and ship my laptop and stuff like that and we'll find a moving company to move my stuff back to Orlando.”

“I missed you,” Janine told Melissa hugging her from the side. “And it's good to see my little brother smiling.”

“Agreed. Joe looked like he'd lost his best friend for about six months...now he looks like his old self. A few more gray hairs,” David said with a smile.

“I'm not going gray yet,” Joey defended with a smile as they sat down to eat.

“I think it'll look good though..make you look hotter than you do now,” Melissa told him.

“Do you two ever stop? It's really disgusting,” Janine said, passing the salad after the blessing had been said. “And by disgusting I mean, I hope you two gross out your kids with it. Like Mom and Dad do at times.”

“It's the Fatone charm,” Joe Senior pointed out with a grin.

“Ladies love us,” Joey said with a smirk when he saw Melissa roll her eyes. “I'll just have to break their hearts and tell them I'm taken...”

“By the right girl this time,” Phyllis pointed out. “Skip called today and said he was taking the papers to the judge to look over this week and sign them.”

Joey's head snapped up, surprised. The last time they'd spoken, his attorney had said it would be longer. “How did he wrangle that shit? He said it would be at least a month.”

“The judge is going out of town and wanted to get all of the cases out of the way before he leaves next Friday. It will still have to go through the court house but once he signs off on it...” she shrugged. “He said he would call you when he knows more. The only reason he called me was because he knew you were just finishing up the leg of the tour.”

“So..good news and good news,” Joey said, feeling relieved. Finally something was going right. He felt Melissa squeeze his hand and gave her a smile and leaned over to kiss her hair. There was still a lot to do but now it felt like he could handle it even if it didn't go as smoothly as he thought it should.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
Boxes were still in the living room, labeled with what they were stacked against one wall as Joey and Melissa came home from the Bass house after eating dinner with her parents and Lance. They'd closed on the house that Monday and were moved by Wednesday. At least that was Joey's stuff.

It had been many hours on the phone and a lot of paperwork and declaring Holly for sainthood to get Melissa's things in the process of packed up and moved across the country. Those things would be there by Friday, giving them a few days to get at least part of the things put up. They'd gotten the master bedroom and bathroom done enough to find a few things, and the kitchen as well.

“I guess I should feel good about one thing. I have most of my clothes here...” She smiled when he snorted, curling up against his side wishing she could snap her fingers and it all be done. However it was fun, going through pictures and deciding where to put things. Her fingers wound through Joey's and Melissa found herself for the first time in a long time, completely content with her life. Like it wasn't one big disaster after the other.

“You're awfully quiet, Bambina,” Joey said after a few moments. “I vote we go swimming,” he suggested, watching her nod and get up to go find her swim suit. “Can you find my swim trunks?” he asked, watching her nod. That would give Joey time to finish what he'd been doing earlier in the day when Melissa had taken it upon herself to put up curtains in the master bedroom and told him he could go putter around downstairs if he wanted.

Joey hadn't minded, there was enough to do and some things weren't a two person job. He'd cleaned the pool and put chemicals in it, humming as he went along. Then he got an idea seeing a box of lights and some candle holders that had been stuck in the back of a closet at one point in time. He guessed they were some from Janine and David's wedding. Now he was walking around the edge of the pool and lighting candles. Call it the romantic sap in him, but Joey wanted to surprise her. He heard the sliding glass door open and smiled when she said his name, clearly surprised.

Melissa looked at the flickers of light the candles gave out and at Joey who was bent over lighting the last of the candles. The holders were all red and he'd strung up lights on the porch banister. “Joey,” she said, clearly not expecting what she was looking at. It had taken her a little bit to find Joey's swim trunks and then she fussed with her own bathing suit, not sure if she wanted to wear a two piece. “What are you doing?” she asked as Joey took her hand and kissed her knuckles, leading her to one of the chairs and sat her down.

“Just sit there for a minute while I change.”

Melissa sat there and looked around, not sure what was going on. It made her smile that Joey would come up with something like this. He was forever surprising her with things, even things that seemed stupid or silly to everyone else made her love Joey that much more. She turned her head and was surprised to see him carrying an acoustic guitar, not changed out of his clothes. “You were supposed to change,” she pointed out as he drug up a chair to face her.

“Okay, so I fibbed Bambina,” Joey gave her a small smile, adjusting the instrument where he could play. He picked a few notes out and gave her a grin, watching her study him. When he started strumming the guitar, he chuckled at Melissa biting her lip.


“Love me tender, love me sweet, never let me go. You have made my life complete, and I love you so,” Joey sang, putting his heart into the song. He knew she'd never heard him sing and play the guitar. “Love me tender, love me true, all my dreams fulfilled. For my darling, I love you and I always will. Love me tender, love me long, take me to your heart. For it's there that I belong and will never part..” Licking his lips, Joey paused, not sure exactly what he was thinking, but kept on singing, going to the next song. “Baby you'll find, there's only one love, yours and mine, I've got so much love...and needing you so, my love for you, I'll never let go. I've got so much love..All I want is to hold you, let me show you how much I love you-” Joey had his eyes closed momentarily and didn't see Melissa move and jumped when her lips collided with his. He opened his eyes and one of his hands caressed her cheek, feeling that it was wet.

“What's wrong, Mel?” he asked, pulling away to put the guitar down and then looking at her. Joey was confused, watching her bury her face in her hands and sob. “Bambina, mia...” he murmured, pulling the woman he loved into his arms and then into his lap. He felt helpless as she cried, finally looking down at her as the sobs quieted. He smiled a little at her tear stained face. His shirt was wet and Joey kissed Melissa's forehead. “I wasn't meaning to make you cry like that,” he told her, using his thumbs to wipe more tears.

“I..” Melissa took a swallow of air and sighed. “I know. I just...” she shook her head a little, not sure of what to say. “You always do this for me. You make me feel so loved. I'm not sure I can ever tell you how I feel or how I see you. I mean, none of the words to any of the songs fit just right. And you seem to make it so easy...I love you, Joey. That's the only thing I know to say.”

“Then that's perfect. All I need to know from you to know that you love me is for you to tell me. For you to marry me...” his voice trailed off, nibbling on one of her earlobes and smiling when he heard Melissa suck in a breath. Joey let his fingers trail over the exposed skin that the bikini afforded, kissing the spot just behind her ear, his tongue snaking out to taste her skin. “Have babies with me...”

Melissa's eyes fluttered shut and she tried to not squirm at what Joey was doing. “Joseph...” her hands found his hair and yanked, getting a satisfied groan from him. “Come swimming with me,” she said, getting up quickly before he could stop her and turned, looking at Joey sitting in the chair. The bulge in his pants left no doubt that he was turned on and she smiled wider, toying with the front tie on her swim suit.

“What are you doing, Bambina?” Joey's eyes were locked on her, watching her take off her top and toss it into the pool. He swallowed hard at her breasts bouncing some as she stalked toward him. Joey groaned when Melissa straddled his lap and held his hands down on the arms of the chair so he couldn't touch her. “God, Melly...” his voice was gravelly as she purposely rubbed against him, the friction of his jeans making his dick harder.

Melissa impishly grinned and leaned in, swiping her tongue across Joey's mouth and then once more as he leaned up to capture her lips. It was her undoing, kissing Joey, letting go of one of his hands so she could cup his face and run her fingers on his beard. “Mmmm,” she sighed when Joey's hand cradled the back of her head and she let his other hand go, feeling it press on her back. “Joey,” her voice murmured, kissing his cheek. Melissa's fingers found his hair and lightly tugged and then she attacked his ear, nipping the earlobe, running her tongue along the shell.

A growl came from Joey and he picked Melissa up, resisting the urge to just have his way with her right there on the back porch. “You know should know better, Bambina,” he said, putting her down and reaching for the hem of his shirt, pulling it off and tossing it towards the door. He started for his pants, smirking when Melissa smacked his hands out of the way. Joey watched as she got him undressed the rest of the way. “Fuck,” he muttered when he felt her hand wrap around his cock, pumping his dick a few times before her tongue slid down the shaft.

Melissa's one hand was wrapped around the base of Joey's cock, pumping in time with her giving him a blowjob, her tongue running around the head and her teeth barely scraping him. Her other hand was fondling his balls, running a fingernail lightly over them as she listened to Joey grunt and groan in pleasure. She smiled when she felt his hand reach for her hair, taking more of him in her mouth and deep throating.

“Shit..enough of this playing around, Melissa Nicole,” Joey knew if she kept going he'd blow his load and he wanted this to last longer than just what she was doing. He looked around, seeing most of the candles had burnt out already. “Let's go inside. I have a much better place for you to be.” He bit his lip as she released his dick with a 'pop' sound. “You. In the house.” Joey smacked Melissa's bottom and laughed as she giggled and went towards the sliding glass door. He stopped long enough to pull the plug on the outdoor lights. Everything else could be picked up in the morning.

“Stop,” Joey told her, pausing just long enough to lock the door and then caught Melissa by the arm and ushered her toward the couch. He'd spent the nights he had been home during the six months sleeping on the couch, snarling whenever Kristen would gripe about how worn out it looked. He'd even moved it downstairs in the old house so that she could have a new one. It didn't matter now and the thought didn't bother him as he shoved Melissa down on it forcefully, his lips meeting hers as her head came to rest on one of the pillows.

Melissa knew it was pointless to argue with Joey, to try and make him slow down or speed up. He was going to do what he wanted, which was to please her. Sighs and gasps came from her lips as Joey worshiped her body, her swimsuit bottoms coming untied and ending up on the floor. His lips grazed her collarbone, his teeth leaving gentle marks. His tongue, warm and wet latched on to a nipple, making sure to have it more at attention before going to its twin.


Joey didn't care that he was so hard he was about to explode. That every time he brushed against some part of Melissa's body that his dick throbbed. He was going to kiss, lick and suck every part of her that he could. He could smell her scent before he got to her sex, his fingers already slick with her juices. Now his tongue lapped at her pussy, groaning loud at how wet she was. It turned him on that Melissa always wanted him. Other than a couple times, she'd never turned him down for sex. It wasn't just that, but it was the fact that she'd drilled it into his head that he was her 'type'. Joey had always figured when they were friends that she'd go for a guy more like Justin. Or someone that looked not as husky or hairy as he was. And Joey wasn't going to deny that he liked sex. Had a massive porn collection and had teased Melissa to no end when he found out she'd never watched it. His thumb flicked her clit and Joey buried his nose in her pubic hair. A sharp tug on his hair told him she was close.

“Oh God, Joey...oh baby..mmm,” Melissa wound her fingers into Joey's hair, her legs over his shoulders as he kept going, making her shudder and shout his name as she came hard as his mouth lapped up her wetness. Her eyes wrenched open and she looked at Joey who had moved up to rest his head on her stomach, breathing hard himself. “I love you,” she murmured, running a hand through his hair.

“I love you too, Bambina,” Joey said, grinning as he moved to be able to enter her. He was still hard, but at least didn't feel like he was going to cum in a short amount of time. “So wet,” Joey took his dick and rubbed over the wetness, groaning a little when Melissa arched her hips. “Patience, my love.”

“No. I want you.” Melissa reached down to swat Joey's hand away and place his penis where it was at her opening. “Make love to me, Joey,” she whispered, whatever she was going to say swallowed by his mouth on hers. Melissa's nails ran along his shoulders, squeezing and scratching as he put himself inside her. Her breath caught when he buried himself inside her. “Fuck.”

“Yes, that's what we're doing Bambina,” Joey teased her a little, groaning when she ran her fingers over his scalp and tugged at the hair at the front of his head. He used his hands and pulled her legs up more so he could go deeper. “So tight, hot...god,” Joey licked her earlobe as his hips pistoned, growling in her ear.

It took some doing, but Melissa moved further underneath Joey to be able to arch her back more and thrust as hard as he was, grinning when he let out a moan. “That's it, Joseph,” her fingers trailed down his back to his buttocks, squeezing.

“Oh fuck, Melly,” Joey huffed, grunting when her hands went back up to his hair. He didn't care if he went bald in five years. He began to sweat from the exertion and smiled at the scent of sex they were giving off. “You make me so turned on, Bambina,” Joey bit his lip and then bit at Melissa's neck. He wanted to let go and make noise and be loud. It wasn't his fault he was a screamer.

“Be loud for me, baby,” Melissa pulled his face up so she could kiss him, holding on to the back of his head so he couldn't get away, slipping her tongue in his mouth and listening to him whimper as she thrust her hips up hard. “Cum for me, Joey.”

Joey got more turned on, his cock throbbing as he got faster and louder, spurred on by moans of his name and his hair being yanked almost painfully. He could feel Melissa's pussy tighten up around him and all he wanted to was to explode inside her. “Oh...oh god. Shit, Melissa Nicole,” Joey huffed, grinding against her hard as his dick twitched and then his eyes rolled back in his head as he came, his whole body convulsing. He pumped a few more times before laying there on top of Melissa trying not to fall on her, holding himself on shaky arms.

“You're so sexy when you're like that,” Melissa murmured, giggling when Joey made a growling noise and tried to bite her. “You neanderthal.” she swatted at him as he rolled over to where they could stay together but not where he was inside her.

“Did you cum again?” Joey asked, pulling Melissa to him and frowning when she shook her head. “I'm doing something wrong then.”

Melissa rolled her eyes and shook her head vigorously. “Do not even go there,” her mouth twisted into a smile. “You're complaining when we just had sex in our house. On our couch...” she giggled a little. “We got almost naked by the pool.”

Joey captured her lips with his once more, smiling. She was right. “Next time, you're not seducing me like that,” he told her matter of factly after he broke off the kiss.

“You can't resist me,” Melissa smiled. “Joey, I am your destiny,” she said in her best Darth Vader voice, sighing as she got up on wobbly legs to follow Joey upstairs so they could clean up and go to bed.

Joey just chuckled, loving the feel of his hand in hers, not caring they'd left stuff everywhere and he was sure the living room smelled like sex. “That you are, my young padawan. That you are.”
Chapter 39 part 1 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
I have been so bad about updating. I'm sorry..real life has been work, come home, repeat. Enjoy... :)
Rachel's phone vibrated and she looked at it before hitting the 'off' button and sighing. She'd been avoiding her parents. And her grandfather. She'd at least placated him in that she was answering her email with what he needed, but she had told him she was taking a couple weeks off. She worked more than a 40 hour week and knew it wouldn't hurt if she took some time for herself. And also it was a way of not dealing with her family right now. JC's family had taken the news of the baby well. That had made her less nervous, somewhat. Her phone buzzed again and she thought about tossing it over the back of the couch and hoped it shattered.

She was curled up with one of JC's blankets and watching the rain come down from the blinds that were open. He was downstairs in his studio and she could hear him playing the piano, adding notes and chords to something he was working on. A small smile crossed Rachel's face at the thought of JC. He wanted her. And their baby. It wasn't that she hadn't thought about it, but it was still such a new thing. Part of her knew it was fast for both of them and it scared her a bit. As much as Rachel knew she and JC weren't like Joey and Kristen, she wanted both of them to be totally sure. Two people could make a baby, but for parents it didn't always work out. However, every time her mind wandered too far down that path, Rachel thought of Melissa's words and those doubts fluttered away. The baby in her arms, curled up to her chest fast asleep with dark curls. That was on her mind when she jumped at JC sitting down next to her.

“You're thinking awfully hard,” JC commented, grabbing one of Rachel's feet and tried to tickle her as she jerked her foot away as he grinned. “Come here,” JC opened his arms and smiled when Rachel sat up and curled up next to his body. The past few days by themselves had done a lot to get him thinking of how much his life would change. It was frightening to think that he would be responsible for someone else's life. Not just a baby, but the woman having his baby. “I love you,” he whispered, his lips brushing Rachel's temple lightly. It wasn't just words to him. Not a line in a song just to sing anymore, wishing that it would happen for him. He chuckled at his next thought before Rachel could say anything.

“Do I even want to know why you are laughing after you told me you love me?” Rachel's hand traced a finger over the contours of JC's face as she gazed at him.

“I'm sorry, Rach. It was just something Joey told me a while back. I was giving him hell about what a stupid lovesick sap he was with Melissa. He told me he hoped I was worse and that it was the best feeling ever.” JC watched her eyes study him and he let his fingers graze her sides to rest one hand on her stomach lightly.

“Well, I do love you,” Rachel replied, placing her hand on top of the one on her stomach. “And anything Joey says should be taken with a grain of salt. Well, most of it. How do you feel about it all now?” she asked as a flash of lightening went across the sky.

“I think that he was right. It's a great feeling having that stupid feeling when I see you and know that you're mine...” JC say Rachel's phone light up and he frowned when he saw her mom's name pop up on caller ID. “You aren't going to talk to your Mom?” he asked, watching Rachel shake her head and bury her head into his neck. When he felt something wet on his neck, JC soothed her. “Talk to me, baby.”

“What is there to talk about?” Rachel's voice was hoarse and cracked with emotion when she lifted her head. “My family isn't like yours, C. They won't see that we love one another, or that we want this baby. The only thing will be the Weatherly name and how this will effect the way people see them...” she sniffled and bunched up JC's shirt. “I'm...I'm scared. Not just of them knowing, but of all the what if's. What if we get into this and it doesn't go right?” The rest of her unspoken fears were swallowed by JC's lips meeting hers. It was a tender kiss, but it lingered and deepened, with Rachel moaning a little when JC momentarily lifted his lips only to turn his head at an angle to meet her mouth better.

JC finally broke off the kiss, wiping Rachel's tears with his thumbs, his forehead resting against hers. “These what ifs...they haven't happened. Why are you so upset at something that hasn't happened yet? That might not ever happen,” he continued. He had to keep his fears from coming up. JC felt like he couldn't let Rachel see how vulnerable he was at the moment. All he wanted was Rachel to be alright right now, hating the tears.

“You can't just be okay with this,” Rachel said softly. “I mean, we're going to be parents,” her eyes caught JC's and she saw the fear there. “I'm glad I'm not the only one,” she told him.

JC swallowed hard, looking away out the window as the rain came down harder now. It was quiet save for that. He tried to rein his feelings. “I'm scared...” his voice was a whisper. “I mean,” JC blew a breath out and shook his head. “I'm supposed to be strong for you. Not admit that I want to go upstairs and lock myself in the master bathroom and cry...” he chuckled, but a tear escaped before he could stop it. “I can't promise you all those things like I'll be home every night. That I can keep the media and fans off you at all times. I can't say I'll be a good Dad..that I won't mess up with you. I can't keep anything...” JC let go of Rachel then, one of his hands covering his face. It was one of his faults, he knew. That he had to be in control, and this was out of his realm of plans and it scared him. “If anything happened to our baby..Or to you,” he whispered, looking over at Rachel, his face blotchy. “I would lose my damn mind.”

Rachel wiped her own tears, her fears were the same as JC's; more for their baby than for herself. It didn't do any good to think like that, but it was still there. She laced a hand through his and squeezed it gently. “You can't think like that, C. I mean, it's okay to be scared. It's something new that we have to get ready for...but you can't worry so much. Promise me you won't.”

JC sighed. He wanted to tell her he wouldn't but that would be a lie. “I'll try my best,” he replied. “We just have to think positive and say a few prayers..or a lot of prayers..”

“Lots. And I want to plan out a nursery when things get farther along...” her voice trailed off as her imagination took over. Rachel could picture some antique furniture in a room with a crib and a rocking chair, stuffed animals and a soft color palette on the walls. She wanted their baby to grow up in a peaceful house and have the love of two parents who would dote over him or her.

“A nursery is good,” JC looked at her, taking a deep breath before pulling her back to him. “Do you think you'd want to move in with me? Or look at a different house?”

The question surprised Rachel and she paused. Moving her stuff out of her parents house would be different for her and she wasn't sure she wanted the task of moving a whole house with JC going back on tour for three and a half months. “I could live here, JC. I mean, we might redecorate, but I love the house,” she told him after a few minutes.

“Good,” JC leaned in a captured Rachel's lips once more and smiled. “So you're mine then?” he asked as if it was a question.

Rachel raised an eyebrow at JC as if he'd lost his mind. “Yes. Always. What kind of question is that?” she looked at him a little worried, wondering what he was thinking.

“It's an important question,” JC told her, pulling her down with him on the couch so they could stretch out. “One that we'll contemplate on after we lay here for a while.” He smiled as Rachel wrapped her arms around his neck her head on his shoulder. At that moment, JC decided he'd gladly give up touring. His heart was content right where it was even if he didn't know all the answers yet.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“Don't want any,” Joey mumbled, his arms pulling Melissa closer, letting out a snore as he quickly got comfortable again. The pounding noise ensued and he laid there a moment before opening one of his eyes to look at the clock. It said 10:45 and he groaned, carefully untangling himself from the blonde curled up next to him. Joey shoved the extra pillow where he'd been, leaving her asleep while he found a t-shirt and shorts to put on over his boxers. “I hear you, don't break the fucking door down,” he hollered as he went downstairs. He looked through the peep hole and was confused, seeing an older gentleman on the other side of the door. “Can I help you?” Joey asked, opening the door some raising an eyebrow.

“Is Rachel here?” the older man asked, looking at Joey with a raised eyebrow.

“Rachel?” Joey shook his head, chewing on his bottom lip. “I'm Joey...Melissa's-”

“Oh so you're the one that Bass girl is in love with,” his mouth twitched into a smile, his expression softening a bit. “I was looking for my granddaughter. Celeste said she might be with Melissa...” he looked hopeful before suddenly sticking out his hand. “Jack Weatherly.”

“Joey Fatone,” Joey replied, shaking the other man's hand. “No, she's not here. How did you get this address?” Joey asked, wondering if Donald Trump was going to get out of the very nice Cadillac sitting the driveway as well.

“Celeste called Linda, who said you'd moved,” he looked at the house. “Do you know where Rachel is? She hasn't returned any of our phone calls. We're worried.”

Joey studied Rachel's grandfather. The man who had more money than most people made their whole life. Two or three people working doing what Joey did for twenty years, he guessed. He felt arms around him and smiled. “Bambina, we have company,” Joey pulled Melissa around to where he could hug her.

“Oh,” Melissa said, surprised at who it was. “Hi, Mr. Weatherly.”

“Melissa, nice to see you again,” Jack replied, looking her over. “Have you heard from my granddaughter. She seems to have forgotten how to call and her mother is worried.”

“I haven't seen her since we were in Miami,” Melissa told him, not giving out any more information than was necessary. She was going to message Rachel as soon as her grandfather left, telling her that he was on the hunt.

“Did she say anything about going anywhere?” Jack asked, watching them both shake their heads no. “Lance wasn't home either, so I guess they are together...” his voice trailed off. He wasn't sure exactly what was going on, but he'd been around enough to know when he was being given the slip.

“We've been busy getting stuff moved and everything. Rachel and I have talked some but she's having fun having an actual vacation...” Melissa's voice trailed off, giving the elder Weatherly a smile. “We could always come stay with you a couple days..then you won't miss Rachel so much.” Her grin widened when he started shaking his head.

“No, uh, that's quite alright, young lady. I will see if one of her other friends knows where she is,” Jack said, shaking Joey's hand and Melissa's once more. “If you see her, tell her to call her mother.”

Joey and Melissa both watched as Jack Weatherly made his way back to his pristine Cadillac and leave the driveway.

“The shit's about to hit the fan. I'm calling Rachel,” Melissa said as she slipped out of Joey's embrace. She felt him pull her back and she smiled, feeling his lips on her hair. “Morning, Joey,” she said as he walked her into the house and shut the door.

“Morning, Melly,” Joey kissed her once more before letting her go. “I'm calling Lance,” he told her each of them going for their respective cell phones. He couldn't get a hold of Lance and cursed after he left a message. He looked over at Melissa who was silent, Joey guessed, waiting on an answer for the phone.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^^*^*

“He what?” Rachel gasped, sitting up straight out of bed with the covers pooling at her waist. Her eyes went wide and she shoved JC hard who jerked awake. They'd spent the night talking, finally falling asleep around five that morning. Of course that had been after making love a couple of times, falling asleep in one another's arms. “Where was he going?” she asked, panic rising. Rachel didn't want to see her grandfather, knowing he would eventually find her. She listened to Melissa's voice telling her not to worry.

JC blinked, trying to think about what Rachel was saying. He'd been woke up abruptly and his brain was still processing the lack of sleep he'd had. When his mind finally unfogged and he processed words like 'grandfather' and 'searching' and he sat up and pulled Rachel to him, running a hand comfortingly over her shoulders. He frowned when he heard her voice soften and tears in it.

“I was avoiding him for this reason. He'll find some way to find me, Mel. You know that,” Rachel said softly, leaning on JC. All of the good feelings she felt were gone, leaving her deflated. She was scared, knowing how her relatives could be, having heard them talk about others like they were no better than mud on their shoes. Rachel thanked Melissa for letting her know and hit end on her phone and sat there, not sure what to do. “I didn't want them to know yet. Like ever.”

JC dropped a kiss on Rachel's neck. “Are you ashamed of me?” he asked, trying to keep the hurt out of his voice and be as neutral as possible.

“No,” Rachel searched JC's face and swallowed. “I love you JC-”

“Then we can tell your parents, your grandfather...” JC said gently. “I'm not saying they need to know all the nasty details, but I'm not hiding us. Or this,” his hand went to her stomach and his fingers softly caressed Rachel's stomach. “If they don't like it, they don't have to come around.”

“You make it sound so easy,” Rachel replied, wiping tears. Her stomach turned and she pushed JC away so she could make a mad dash for the bathroom. She didn't want to tell her family. It was a selfish reason and she knew it. She just didn't want to hear the reactions from her parents and grandfather, see the disappointment and hear what they would say. How the 'wonderful' Weatherly name would be ruined in this scandal. Flushing the toilet, Rachel turned and reached for a washcloth and got it wet before washing her face and then going for the mouthwash. Having a baby was supposed to a good thing. It hurt when JC asked if she was ashamed of him. By telling him she didn't want her family to know about the baby was essentially shoving JC in the dark as well. When they'd been keeping it a secret from the guys, it had been for a very good reason. To protect Lance and to keep Kristen from finding out anything more.

“Are you alright?” she heard JC ask through the door. Rachel's eyes studied her reflection and tears pricked her eyes.

“I'm fine,” Rachel told him, confirming in her head what was going to happen. She couldn't predict the outcome or what might happen, but she wasn't going to leave herself to be scared of her grandfather or her family any longer. “I think we need to go see my parents,” she told him, blowing out a deep breath, trying not to re-nig on the pep talk she'd just given herself. She studied JC's reflection as he came into the bathroom and pulled her to him. “I'm not ashamed of you, C. It's just that it's easier to avoid them, and save myself the stress of worrying about what they think. I'm old enough now though to do what I want. Marry who I want...have a baby,” she gave him a small smile as he nodded.

“I'll be right beside you the whole time,” JC promised, leaning his chin on her shoulder. “We can get ready and then go. Maybe stop for some breakfast.”

Rachel wrinkled her nose and shook her head. “Maybe for you...” she told him, Her stomach was still a bit queasy and now that they were actually going to tell her family, she was even more nervous. “I know I have to eat, C, just not right now. In a couple hours...Maybe a piece of toast or something,” she relented, seeing him stick his bottom lip out. She had a hard time telling JC no and knew she'd have a hard time telling their baby no, especially if they had a little boy that looked a lot like his daddy.

As Rachel showered, she thought about how the conversation with her parents might go, not sure she wanted to explain all of it just yet. Her parents dealt better with the facts that were now than a long drawn out story. And if she told them first, maybe they would tell her grandfather. She didn't count on that though, the old man always wanted the story again. She turned the shower off and stepped out onto the rug and smiled at JC holding out a towel for her, clad only in his boxers, his face half shaved. “There's a sexy look. All the guys should do that. Go half shaved and see if it creates a phenomenon.”

“Ha,” JC barked a laugh and shook his head as he went back to shaving. “You might get Joey and Chris to do it, but I'm not.” JC planted a kiss on Rachel's cheek as she went by him to the bedroom. “I love you, Rachel.”

“I love you too, JC,” she paused to give him a smile. “Mel thinks you're too skinny. I think you're perfect.”

“This is coming from a girl who named Joey's arms 'Hanz' and 'Franz' a couple years ago. Besides, she's not my type either. I go for the girl who's been around forever that I didn't open my eyes up and notice. I wish I had sooner.”

“And if you had sooner, who knows what might have happened?” Rachel pointed out. “I am happy to be having your baby. And to be marrying you, for this to be happening now.” The towel was wrapped around her and she let it fall to grab her under clothes and then clothes, pulling on her jeans and frowning. They had been snug a couple of weeks ago and now they were tighter. “I guess I need some new jeans soon,” she told JC, giving him a slight but nervous smile. “We're gonna do this...”

“Don't start that,” JC pulled his shirt over his head after pulling on some shorts. “We are gonna do this. We'll be alright. I have thick skin, Rachel Weatherly. I'm in a boy band for crying out loud.”

That statement took all the nervousness out of Rachel's scattered thoughts and made her laugh. Not just because of what JC said, but because he was right. He was in a boy band and had been through a lot more than most guys that had ever been in this position in a way. She'd seen how he handled himself when the boys went through the turmoil with Lou Pearlman and all of the rag magazines that would print up lies just for attention. Rachel shook her head and went to find some flip flops and slipped them on. “You are in a boy band. One of the best ones ever,” she admitted as JC chuckled.

“What are you going to say when you get mad at me?” he asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Backstreet rules, NSYNC drools,” she countered, grinning wide when JC grabbed her wrist and pulled her to him. “I'm just kidding, C,” Rachel told him as he held her close, swallowing hard as he leaned in to kiss her.

“I know you were...I sing better than any of those yay-hoos,” JC murmured, brushing Rachel's hair behind her ear after they'd kissed. “And remember this, if they say anything we don't like, we can always leave. You don't have to tell them anything you don't want to.”

She nodded and held on to JC tighter, hating that it was so emotionally nerve wracking. One moment Rachel thought she could handle it, and now she was clinging to JC's shirt, trying not to cry. “Just promise me you'll love me no matter what they say.”

“Always,” JC promised, holding her close. “Let's go find some breakfast that sounds good and then we can make our way over there.” He'd lie as much as it took to keep Rachel calm. Truth was, he was as nervous as she was. It wasn't like the high he got before going on stage. This was like he guessed someone felt when they went before a firing squad. He didn't say any of this, instead taking Rachel's hand and threading his fingers through hers.


“You can tell you've been around Joey and Chris too long. Everything revolves around food,” Rachel told JC with a smile.

“Not everything,” JC retorted with a grin.
Chapter 39 part 2 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
Part 2 of this chapter. Enjoy..and I wanted to say thanks to all my readers for the nominations. I feel so humbled that you have enjoyed this story so much.
Rachel picked at her cantalope and ate a piece to pacify JC who was watching her. It was better with some of the fruit dip and she covered it in that and popped it in her mouth. She watched him stick his fork in a veggie omelet and smiled. “Just for the record, that looks nasty,” she made a face.

“Don't knock it til you try it,” JC told Rachel, glad she was eating a little. He knew she'd feel better the later it got in the day. They usually ate later at night and JC didn't gripe too much about food choices since the morning sickness was so bad. His hand found hers under the table and he laced his fingers through hers and squeezed her hand. “It's gonna be okay, Rach.”

Rachel swallowed and looked at JC. She wanted to believe him. The only thing that made her even think it might was that he'd not run away yet. That he was still there and they were only ten minutes from her parents house in a really nice part of Orlando eating outside on a covered veranda. She wanted to run away and forget this. However she just gave him a forced smile. “I know. You're here with me.”

Jack Weatherly narrowed his eyes at the couple sitting out on the veranda of the restaurant, getting up very quickly before they spotted him. His face held a deep scowl as he reached and opened the door that led outside, seeing the two of them look at him. He vaguely knew who the man was Rachel was with, one of the guys that was in the same singing group as Lance. He saw Rachel pale as he sat down in the chair across from them.

“I was told you were with Lance,” Jack's voice held a no-nonsense tone to it as his eyes flicked from his grand daughter's face to the dark headed man's who was staring at him. “Excuse me, Jack Weatherly,” he said, sticking his hand out.

“JC Chasez,” JC replied, shaking the older man's hand. He wasn't going to say anything just yet and see how the conversation was going to flow.

“As you can see, Grandpa, I'm not with Lance,” Rachel told him, trying to hold her head up. This was like waving the red flag in front of the bull and she could feel her heart beating faster and her stomach do a flip flop. “JC and I are together and very happy.”

“When did this happen? You seemed in love with Lance. And you just quit answering your phone. I've been out looking for you...”

“I know. Mel called and told me...Am I not allowed to have a life? I don't have to answer every call I get. I'm not working right now. I didn't know I was under the microscope when I wasn't in New York.”

JC was surprised to hear the tone of voice come from Rachel, shaking his head at the waiter who was about to come out to check on them.

“You're a Weatherly,” Jack growled, pointing a finger at her. “You're expected to act like one.”

“I don't want to be a Weatherly anymore! I've spent my whole life trying to be someone I'm not! I don't care about the money or the name or anything else.” Rachel's voice was raised and she didn't care that she was squeezing JC's hand so hard she was crushing his fingers.

“So you'd rather throw away who you are to be with him?” Jack turned his gaze to JC. “Some 'music guy' like your friend Melissa? Does she know that the man she's with is still married?” he said it as if it was the worst thing ever.

“You leave Joey and Mel out of this! You've never liked her since we met because she didn't care about anything you did. And yes, I'd throw it all away to be with JC. We're starting a new life that doesn't have to include you. We're having a baby...” Rachel's voice trailed off when she realized what she'd just said.

“A baby?!” the old man stood up and leaned over the table, glaring at the couple. “You can't even be responsible for yourself much less a baby. And you expect him to take care of you?”

Before Rachel could say anything, JC stood up. “I don't know who the hell you think you are! I'm not some punk ass kid that's running away from the situation and neither is she. We're planning on getting married and we don't care if you're there or not. We don't need or want your money or whatever else you have. I make more than enough to provide for Rachel and our baby and if you're too worried about how it's going to look in your life then I suggest you stay out of hers. And don't ever say another word about any of my friends...You have no idea what they've been through. Or how much of a great woman your grand daughter is for finding real friends.”

Jack sneered at JC. “You're just some trick pony that's going to run out of steam and when the kid comes along you'll not want to deal with it and a dwindling career. I give it a year tops before you move on and then where will that leave Rachel? Homeless and with a kid.”

“I'd never do that,” JC glared back at the older man.

“I'll offer you twenty million dollars to drop this whole thing right now,” Jack stated, not batting an eye at either one of them. “Each.” He pulled out his check book and a pen.

“You're sick,” Rachel finally regained her voice and stood up. “You can take your checkbook and your money and shove them both up your ass, Jack Weatherly! Don't bother firing me, I quit. And I don't want a thing from you. Take me out of your wills and everything else since I mean so little to you...that the thought of a great grandchild means so little to you...” Rachel's stomach heaved again and she scooted the chair out quickly to make a dash for the restroom.

JC's eyes tracked her before he looked back at the older man. “I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt, Jack. But I think everything Rachel told me was right. You are an arrogant self righteous bastard. Don't bother my fiance unless you want to deal with me. And I'm not about to let you strong arm me. I'm not afraid of you. I love her and our baby and there's nothing you can do about that,” he gave the other man a sly grin as he got up from the table. “And just for the record, I already have 20 million dollars. So go fuck yourself.” He left the older man sitting there sputtering as he went in to find Rachel.

JC knocked on the women's bathroom door and heard the toilet flush and the sink water running. “Rachel?” he asked, hoping she was okay.

Rachel stared at her reflection in the mirror, her face flushed from being sick. This was not how she planned on things to go. Of course now she didn't have to worry about telling her grandfather. She heard JC knock and say her name. “I'm okay, C,” she said softly, rinsing her mouth out with water once more. She opened the door and looked at him, the anger still evident on his face as he ushered her towards the exit, stopping for a moment to pay. Her gaze went to where they had been sitting and her grandfather was still sitting there. It was hard, but she had learned long ago not to react to what he said at least for the most part. This was hard though, since the subject in question was the baby growing inside of her. Her hand went to her stomach as she numbly was lead to the car and got in, autopiloting the seatbelt and looking at JC.

“He just offered us forty million dollars to not be together,” Rachel whispered, not believing what she'd heard. “He didn't even care about me or the baby...it was all about the name.”

JC leaned over and kissed Rachel softly on the lips, one of his hands brushing her cheek. “Soon your last name's not going to be Weatherly...it's going to be Chasez,” he told her with a small smile. “I love you Rachel. No one is separating us,” he promised her.

Rachel kissed him back as tears fell. “I want to get married, C. I don't want to be Rachel Weatherly anymore.” She knew it was irrational, but at the moment she didn't care as JC kissed her once more. What hurt was that her own flesh and blood treated her worse than a perfect stranger would. “Marry me, Joshua Scott Chasez.”

“We will, Rach...I promise,” JC told her gently, hating the tears. He wanted to marry her, but he wanted it to be more than just something thrown together. “Do you want to go back to the house? Or I can make a few calls and have your stuff moved all to my place?” he suggested, looking over at Rachel who was sniffling.

“Who are you gonna call?” she asked after a few minutes, not really wanting to leave her things at her parents. It wasn't like anything was going to happen to her stuff, but there was no use in pretending that she was going to live at home forever. And some of her things were still at Lance's house.

“I got people,” JC told her with a grin. He made his way through Orlando and back to his house. He reached for Rachel's hand and squeezed it gently. “We'll get through this. So what your grandfather isn't happy? He's one person. Think of all the people that are happy about us and about what's happening.”

Rachel tried to give JC a smile but it never met her eyes. She could name off his family, the guys and Melissa...that wasn't a lot of people, and she knew management wasn't ecstatic about the situation, but they weren't about to piss off JC. “It's a short list, C.”

“Okay, so it's a short list, but an important one,” JC ran a hand over her cheek. “Let's go in and I'll start making calls.”

“My parents won't just let anyone into their house,” Rachel pointed out.

“I'm not calling just anyone.”

*^*^*^*^*^*^**^*^*^*

“Open the door, Josh! This shit's heavy!” a voice came as a loud kick banged the bottom of the door later that evening.

JC got up quickly, looking at Rachel who was curled up beside him, giving her a smile as he went and opened the door. “Damn, you should have called.”

Steve Fatone just motioned for JC to move as he and Joey manhandled Rachel's mattress into the living room and up the stairs.

“Mel's stuff got here last night with Holly and Chris in tow...What's moving one more person?” Joey said winking at Rachel as he came back down.

“We brought everything,” Melissa said as she hauled a box in with Holly and Janine coming in behind her. “It's an NSYNC moving party.”

Rachel blinked, seeing Chris and Joey haul in her dresser and bit her lip. JC must have called everyone he knew. And they called other people. “You shouldn't have all come...” she started, her voice trailing off. Melissa and Joey looked exhausted and she knew they'd probably not gotten much sleep that week unpacking two different houses.

“Bull,” Chris said, pulling her into a hug. “We got your back,” he told Rachel. “Besides, someone else came along you might want to see.”

Celeste Weatherly came, giving a small smile to the men who were carrying in a chest of drawers, tearing up at the sight of her daughter standing there with her mouth agape. “Your grandfather came by...” her voice broke for a second as she stepped closer to Rachel and opened her arms for a hug. “I don't care what he thinks. Or your father either for that matter. You are my daughter and this man that you love,” she looked at JC with a raised eyebrow as he nodded affably before she continued, “are having my grandbaby.”

The rest of the crew moving stuff kept hauling stuff in as Rachel hugged her mother, crying. She felt JC's hand on her back and sniffled as her mother told him she loved him too. It was a surprise and she couldn't help but wonder if there was another motive. And at the same time, she'd seen a lot of times when alone, her mother acted nothing like the Celeste Weatherly did in public. Rachel lifted her head and looked questioningly at her mother. “What will you do?” she asked quietly.

“What will I do when?” Celeste asked, curious. “I had money before I ever married your father. And if he's stupid enough to act like his father, then he'll have to figure out how the hell to make his own damn coffee.”

Rachel breathed out a sigh of relief, smiling at her mom. “Well, we're glad to have you here. This is my fiancee, JC Chasez,” she introduced JC to her mother. “JC, this is Celeste Weatherly.”

JC shook her hand and blew out a breath. “If I had known you were coming we would have cleaned...made dinner or something.”

“Just order us some pizza and beers,” Chris called out as he walked by. “That's payment enough for you slave driving us.”

JC rolled his eyes. “We don't know him, he's adopted,” he told Celeste, who just laughed and put one arm around him and the other was still around Rachel. He had to admit he felt better that she was there, it would give Rachel some peace. “Well, I will leave you ladies to talk and I'm going to go help before Joey falls over from exhaustion.”

Celeste looked confused at Rachel for a moment as she followed along.

“Joey and Mel have moved him and then her stuff came in from California and now me. He really must be Superman,” Rachel explained as she watched Joey carry in a box. “I should help,” she said, making her way up the stairs where she could hear Holly and Melissa discussing where to put boxes.

“Just worry about dinner, pregnant lady,” Steve told Rachel as he came by with a huge armful of clothes slung over his arm on hangers. “That's your only job.”

Rachel socked his arm goodnaturedly and continued upstairs where she hugged Melissa and then Holly. “Nice of you to join us in Florida,” she told Holly who just shrugged.

“I had some vacation days to burn and Chris needed to come home to do a few things,” Holly explained, holding one of Rachel's pictures in a frame. It was one of her and Melissa at some school event. “You two looked so cute,” she grinned. It was one from their sophomore year.

“I remember that,” Celeste said, smiling. “Rachel wanted to go to the ball game and asked if she could stay the night with Melissa. Then they ended up going to a party with Lance with some older guys...” she gave a pointed look at them and tried not to smile.

“It was just the guys and it wasn't a party really. My mom was there,” Melissa told Celeste. “And Joey's sister Janine. All we did was play video games with Justin and stay up and watch movies.”

“That was when you fell asleep next to Joey in the floor,” Rachel told her friend. “We have pictures somewhere.”

“Now she has to drag him to bed with her, look where it got her,” Holly pointed out with a laugh.

“Are you sure you don't want help?” Rachel asked after they talked a few more minutes.

“Like Steve said, we want to be fed. And since you're the one who's picky at this time, we're letting you figure out dinner,” Melissa threw an arm around her best friend and hugged her once more. “Call in something and have your Mom go with you to pick it up.”

Rachel nodded, linking her arm through her mother's as they went back downstairs. “I...I'm not quite sure what to say first. Do you want to see the house? Well, other than the upstairs right now.”

“I'd love to.”

Rachel took her mother through the main floor, the kitchen and living room, the office and then out to the back porch to look at the yard and the pool. Her eyes focused on the sun that was slowly sinking before turning to her Mom. “I'm happy, Mom. And I know it didn't happen probably the way you might have wanted but JC wants to get married...And Lance and I are still friends. He knew JC and I had feelings for one another and wasn't hurt by it.”

“Linda told me...about Lance. I never said anything to you because I was proud of you and Lance is old enough to know what he wants in his life. And I was trying to give you some space. It's not easy to be a Weatherly. I do what I do because I've been with your father so long I'm used to it. But I knew you weren't like him or your grandfather or even me,” Celeste smiled at her. “You have always wanted to just be a normal kid and now grown up. Well, as normal as you can be with who your friends are and who you are marrying.”

“You're taking this well...” Rachel said, sitting down. “We're still a little scared.”

“Everyone's scared to be a parent. And that means you care...And...” Celeste paused, sitting down and taking Rachel's hand in hers. “I want to help with the wedding. I don't care if it's before the baby is born or not. How did his family take it?”

“They were happy for us. I mean, it wasn't the plan for me to end up pregnant...” Rachel turned and smiled at JC who was looking out the patio door at them, wiggling her fingers at him.

“I can tell you're happy and that JC is happy,” Celeste told her daughter. “How about we figure out what we're feeding your moving crew? Do they all like Olive Garden?” she asked as Rachel nodded. “Do you feel like that or do you want something else?”

“Right now I could eat a pound of pasta with alfredo sauce. It sounds good...I'll call it in and we can pick it up,” Rachel told her mother. “If I name drop it will get done faster,” she grinned cheekily.

“Now you sound like Melissa,” Celeste replied with a laugh, getting up to go take orders before Rachel called. She was glad she came after Melissa and Joey had shown up with Joey's brother and the rest of everyone in tow to move their friend. She was also glad her husband hadn't been home. He wouldn't have liked what was happening. At the same time, Celeste knew it would still be hard for her daughter and JC, just because it was life. However, she wasn't going to be the one to get in the way of the love she saw between the two of them even in the short amount of time she'd been there.
Chapter 40 part 1 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
I have been a bad updater. To my readers, I apologize. Thanks jr88freak for your help with this chapter. You are awesome.
"We should just donate all this crap and go by new. It'd be a helluva lot easier," Joey said leaning against the archway leading into the kitchen. It was very tempting. There were boxes piled everywhere, much like the rest of the house. The only room in the house that was semi unpacked was the master bedroom and that was only because they needed a place to sleep once they collapsed from pure exhaustion like they did last night after coming home after moving Rachel's things into JC's. He had been so tired he couldn't manage more than a small kiss on Melissa's lips before he spooned behind her and fell asleep.

"Yard sale," Melissa's voice came from somewhere in the midst of boxes. "There will be hundreds of girls bringing their allowances to buy the fork you've eaten with."

"I wouldn't go that far," he said though he was sure it was probably true. Their fans were a bit crazy at times.

"Oh my God!" Melissa's voice was high-pitched and loud. "Joey Fatone ate off this fork!" She shrieked...loudly. "This fork was in his mouth...it would be like he kissed me! Oh my God! He could have had Justin over for dinner. He could have used this spoon."

"You're insane," Joey pushed away from wall and walked into the kitchen, following the sounds of Melissa's laughter until he found her on the other side of the island. She was kneeling on the floor pulling pots from the box stacking them neatly in the cupboard.

Melissa hummed as she stuck the colander next to the pots. It was a staple in an Italian's house. "They'd probably flip over bath towels. I mean come on; kitchen utensils only touch the mouth. Bath towels touch so much more," she sent him a sly look complete with a wink. "They'd be fighting over the towel you used to floss your behind."

"I do not floss my behind," he said indigently. "Why are you unpacking the kitchen anyway? It's not like you're gonna be using any of this."

"I'll be using this to knock you upside the head," she held up a small pot. "When I get to the utensils I'm sure I could use the tongs to pinch your nipples."

"Kinky..."
Melissa put the last of the pots away; the box empty. She lifted it up and tossed it somewhere behind her before she pulled another box to her. She sliced open the tape and sighed moving the packing paper away. "I had a dream last night I was being attacked by boxes."

"Boxes huh?" He wiggled his eyebrows. "Back in my hay day before, you know, sowed my oats, that would have been a dream come true."

"You're such a perv," she rolled her eyes as she set about unpacking more pots.

"Oh baby you love me, perviness and all."

Melissa stared up at him, meeting his brown eyes. Her heart stumbled as she gazed into his eyes seeing his love shining bright. It was still hard to believe that everything had come back around. After the New Year started off so horribly; they were standing in their brand new house ready to push all the bad memories away and start fresh. Her love for Joey never died. She just tried to box it up and put it in the darkness corner of her heart where she tried to forget about it. Not that it ever worked. Stubborn Italian.

"I do love you."

"You keep looking at me like that and you aren't going to be unpacking anymore boxes," Joey said matter-of-factly.

"Maybe I don't want to unpack any more boxes," Melissa stood up, leaving the half unpacked box. Her gaze never wavered from Joey's. "I think I earned a break." She stepped around two boxes stacked on one another coming to a stop right in front of Joey. Pressing a finger to his chest, she trailed a line down over his stomach to the waist band of his jeans. His Adam's apple bobbed as he swallowed.

"I can think of better activities we could be doing."

He drew a swift intake of breath as Melissa's finger lightly trailed over the bugle in the front of his pants. It had only taken that one light touch to get him hard. He licked his suddenly dry lips. Melissa's normal bright green eyes had darkened with passion. "Li...like what?"

"Oh, I don't know," she leaned forward running her tongue along the shell of his right ear. Her breath came out hot and she grinned when she felt Joey shiver. Her finger still trailed up and down his erection pressing against the denim waiting to be freed. "We can wait and see what comes up."

"Oh something's come up," Joey muttered, groaning softly when Melissa cupped him. He couldn't stop the full body shiver as she massaged his erection and sucked on his ear lobe. He gasped feeling the light nibbles on his lobe. "Mel..." he tilted his head as she trailed kisses down his neck. Her hand still massaged him through his jeans. He pressed himself into her hand.

Melissa met Joey's lips with wild abandon. She wasted no time licking and nipping at his lips under he opened for her. Her tongue swept into his mouth, seeking and finding his tongue. She stroked playfully, teasingly as her hands moved to the button on his jeans making quick work of the button and lowering the zipper. Her hand slipped beneath the fabric and she wrapped her fingers around him. He was hot, plump and hard. She worked him in short strokes; her movements confined by the material. The back of her hand rubbed against his boxers and she felt a damp spot appear. With one last sweep of her tongue in his mouth, she broke the kiss and sank to her knees.

"Mel," Joey groaned, his hand threading through Melissa's blonder hair to the back of her head.

Melissa pulled the jeans and boxers down over his hips, freeing Joey's hard erection in all its glory.

There was a glistening drop of cum and leaned forward swiping her tongue across the head.

"Fuck," Joey drew out. He dropped his head back closing his eyes.

She wrapped her hand around the shaft slowly stroking. Daring a look, she peaked through her eyelashes biting her lip when she saw the display of emotions on Joey's face. Bringing her eyes back forward, she licked her lips as hand still worked in sure movements. She gave him a couple more quick strokes before she released him.

"What?" Joey opened his eyes, trying to blink through the cloudy confusion. "Why..." He gave a long groan when he felt Melissa's tongue lick him from base to tip. "Sweet Mother of God..." His hand tightened in her hair when the head of his penis finally entered the warm, wet, delicious mouth. "God Mel," he breathed as her tongue swirled around his head. It pressed against the tiny slit drawing more precum. He fought not to press forward. He wanted to push himself into her mouth feeling her warmth surround him; feeling her tongue bathing him. He moaned.

Melissa raised a hand wrapping it around his penis once more. While she suckled and tongued the head, she started stroking him again. She could feel him pulsing in her hand and she held him tighter. Raising another hand, she gently cupped his balls, rolling them around in her hold; gently tugging on them.

"Ah," Joey clenched his eyes shut. "Oh God..." Mel released her hand and started taking more of him in her mouth. "Oh fuck... that's it..." he couched as he slid deeper; finally sounded in the wet warmth. He could feel more fluid leaking from his tip and his dick tightened. He was close to coming.

Opening her mouth wide, she took Joey in as far as she could. Her tongue moved around the shaft, stroking and pressing. She pulled back just as slowly as she took him in hearing his appreciative groan. His dick was now coated with her saliva as she let him fall from her mouth. She took him in her hand again, gliding up and down his hard shaft now perfectly lubed. She nuzzled his groin breathing in the masculine scent. Her pussy clenched involuntary and she wanted nothing more than to pull off her clothes and lay back to allow Joey to slide into her. A soft moan escaped her as she could feel him inside of her. Her panties dampened.

"Jesus Mel..." he breathed. He moved his hips against her hand. He wished she'd put her mouth back on him. He wanted to be between those lips. He wanted her tongue moving around him. He grunted feeling that tongue wash over his balls. She drew one into her mouth sucking lightly before the other. He nearly whimpered when her movements stopped and her mouth left. He did whimpered when her mouth returned engulfing his shaft, taking him all the way. His knees quaked and he pressed back against the counter, willing his legs to hold him, not to give out on him now.

Melissa hummed around his shaft before pulling back enough so she could work her hand around him again. Squeezing him tighter, she stroked him as she sucked hard. Her tongue moved over his head to the vein underneath. She could feel him tightening and knew he was close. Her hand moved faster and she cupped his balls once more tugging them gently.

"Oh yeah...fuck Mel..." Joey hissed. His hips worked with her. He clenched his eyes tighter; his breath coming out of his nose. He bit his lip and tasted the metallic. "God...Mel...Yeah...Fuck..." Words dropped from his mouth. "I'm...gonna...cumming...aurgh!" He grunted as his dick spasmed, shooting out thick loads of creamy white cum.

Melissa continued stroking as she held her mouth still. She swallowed the hot, tangy substance careful not to allow any to spill from her mouth. She sucked him dry sure to take it all before licking him clean. With a kiss to the tip of his softening cock, she slowly stood. Using the back of her hand, she wiped at her mouth; her lips swollen and no doubt red. She watched as Joey slowly opened his eyes and looked at her.

"Come here," he growled wrapping her in his arms. He kissed her feverishly, refusing to allow her any chance to breath. She clutched his shoulders, her nails digging into his skin. He pressed his tongue into her mouth, sweeping across hers leading it back to his mouth, where he sucked it. When he broke the fiery kiss, Melissa panted for breath, her chest heaving against his. He didn't give her time to get her bearings. He dipped down nipped at her neck, drawing a gasp. He soothed the mark with his tongue before moving to her ear. He traced her ear with his tongue nibbling at the lobe. "It's my turn to return the favor," he whispered. "Did that turn you on Melly?" He felt a shiver course through her and he grinned predatorily. "I bet it did. How wet are you? I bet you are so wet I could slide all the way in, in one...long...stroke." He pressed his hips against her drawing out a moan.

"Joey..."

"Oh don't worry Bambina," he whispered hotly against her ear. "I'm going to take care of you." He reached down, quickly unfastening Melissa's jeans. He pressed a hand beneath her panties running over the soft downy curls until he found what he was looking for. Pressing a finger into the wet cavern enlisted a moan from them both. The earlier words were true. She was completely wet; he could slide in to the hilt. Removing his hand he grinned when he heard her moan of protest.

Joey pushed Melissa's jeans and panties down her legs. With a hand on either of her hips he lifted her up sitting her on the counter. Once she was seated he pulled both her jeans and panties completely off, dropping them to the floor. He pulled her toward the edge of the counter and stepped between her legs. His cock was already hard once again but that was going to have to wait. "I want to slide into you right now, Bambina. You've got me hard again already just by feeling how wet you are. Would you like me to slide into you?"

"Please," Melissa nearly begged. She wrapped her legs around his waist, using them to pull her closer.

"I will, but first," he stepped back, breaking the hold Melissa had on him. He spread her legs opening her up to his view. She was glistening already; the curls around her clit were damp. "Sucking me off really turned you on," he commented. He reached out trailing one finger around her hole. It slid easily. He smiled hearing the slight whimper. He pressed that finger inside of her watching Melissa's face as her eyes slid shut. He watched as she drew her bottom lip between her teeth and he leaned forward pressing his lips to hers. He cupped the back of her head, his tongue sweeping into her mouth once again as his finger worked in and out of her pussy.
He broke the kiss rather quickly and bent down. He shivered involuntary as her scent hit him. His dick hardened and he fought the urge to slam into her. Withdrawing his finger, he didn't give her much time to think before he took a swipe of her nether region from hole to pubic hair.

Melissa moaned pressing her pussy against Joey's mouth. Her hands wove through his short hair. She was already wound tight; she wouldn't be able to handle much of Joey's ministrations.

"Joey...mmm..." His tongue entered her and she drew her bottom lip between her teeth. "God."

Joey placed both his hands on her thighs keeping her spread open for him as moved his tongue in and out of her. He could fell the muscles in his legs quivering and knew but the sound of her breathing that she was close. He pulled his tongue from her depths and let go of one of her legs. He pressed two fingers deep inside her as his tongue found the sensitive nub usually hidden by curls. In this position it was sticking. He flattened his tongue over it, pressing against it in an upward swipe. This drew a moan from Melissa. Her muscles clenched around his fingers and he imagined them gripping his dick.

"Jesus God Joey," Melissa panted. She couldn't stop her hips from moving in time with the trusting of Joey's fingers. She tightened her fingers in his hair when his tip of his tongue flicked over her clit. Back and forth; back and forth. "Oh fuck...fuck fuck fuck..." When Joey drew her clit into mouth and sucked it was over. She pulled his face into her center, threw back her head and released a garbled shout.

Joey winced at the hold on his hair, but he withdrew his fingers, holding her quaking thighs as he pressed his tongue back into her hole and lapped up everything she offered. Straightening, he pressed closer grinning when the height of the counter aligned his erection with her center. "I knew I liked this house." He wrapped a hand around his dick, stroking a couple times. He teased the head of his cock against Melissa's pussy.

"Stop fucking around," Melissa's hand covered Joey's holding his dick in place. She wrapped her legs around his waist and using her heels nudged him forward. They both released groans when he entered her. "God..."

"Jesus Mel," Joey gasped feeling her muscles, still recovering from her orgasm, grip him tightly. He leaned his forehead against her shoulder a he settled deep inside her. "You keep doing that, I'm gonna come right here."

"Doing what?" Melissa asked innocently as she clenched her muscles again causing Joey to start slightly.

"Minx," he muttered. He dropped his gaze as he pulled out of her sex. His dick shined with her juices.

"Stop fucking around," she repeated, growling after his movements were slow and precise. "And fuck me."

"Yes Ma'am," he slammed into her enticing a moan. Gripping her hips he kept up his actions, using long strokes. He entered her deeply each time. She titled her hips to meet him; her muscles still clenching around him as if they didn't want him to pull out. "Shit Mel..." he bit his lip. He felt sweat bead on his forehead.

"Mmmm," Melissa weaved her hand throw his hair, cupping the back of his head. She brought his forward, running her tongue along his ear. His movements quickened. "The whole time my mouth was on you, I imagined your dick in me. That's what made me so wet," she whispered, drawing a moan from Joey. "I wanted you to bend me over the counter and take me from behind. Would you like to do that Joey?"

"Oh fuck yeah," Joey grunted. He couldn't stop. He imagined Melissa bent over the counter with his dick buried deep in her. That was all it took. He came with a roar, his hot seed shooting inside of her. He pressed his head against her neck as his hips jolted. A shuddered coursed through his body as he stilled breathing heavily. "Wow..." he said picking his head up. He kissed Melissa's softly, nipping playfully at her bottom lip. "If unpacking turns you on this much, we're moving every month."
Chapter 40 part 2 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
The second part of this chapter. Enjoy.
Melissa found herself buried in boxes later after showering following her afternoon delight. Her eyes drifted toward the counter and she giggled think about what had taken place. She was going to have a hard time looking at the counter without thinking of her sitting on top of it with Joey buried deep in her.

Breaking down an empty box, she stacked it with the other empty boxes. She found instead of tossing the empty boxes out of her way, if she broke them down it gave her more room and looked like she did a lot more. With the boxes gone you could tell a difference. It actually looked like she was making some headway.

Moving sucked. She hated unpacking boxes and putting things away. It was tedious and seemed never ending. There was always another box to put away. With two houses converging into one, there were twice as many boxes. It was also very boring. She was stuck in the kitchen unpacking while Joey was tackling the living room. That room was the worse because boxes just sort of ended up in there off the truck. If the movers didn't know where to put it, they just stacked them into the living room. So Joey sat about going through the boxes and putting them in the rooms they were supposed to be in.

She had a goal of wanting the kitchen and living room somewhat unpacked. Any other room can wait. There was no rush. But they needed the kitchen and the living room of course where they could collapse after killing themselves unpacking. She preferred not to collapse on a couch still encased in saran wrap. Though, the saran wrap would certainly protect the fabric from certain...spills.

She needed a distraction. Something to take her mind off her earlier...activities. She reached for her cell phone on the bar intending to call Rachel to see if she wanted to come over before she remembered that her best friend was also in the middle of unpacking. Not to mention Rachel was also pregnant, battling morning sickness and going through a family crisis. Melissa still couldn't wrap her head around the fact that Jack Weatherly had offered both Rachel and JC twenty million dollars each to end their relationship.

'God, twenty million dollars,' Melissa thought shaking her head. Just to stop seeing someone. It was absolutely crazy. There was no amount of money she would accept to end her relationship with Joey. Not now, after they were finally back together were they belonged and not even before all the mess went down with Kristen. She didn't envy her friend's family problems a bit but was happy that Celeste seemed to come around, breaking the uptight Hampton mold.
"You look deep in thought."

Melissa started turning away from the kitchen window she'd been staring out unseeing. She whirled around see Joey walk into the kitchen. "How long have you been there?"

"A few minutes," he opened up the refrigerator and grabbed a bottle of water. He was hot. Give him a hundred degree warehouse with no air conditioner and ten hours of nonstop rehearsal any day over logging boxes from room to room, bending and straightening. He took a long gulp of the cold water. "Whatcha thinking about?" He asked leaning his hip against the counter. The entire counter space, including the island was covering with all the cooking paraphernalia, pots, pans, silverware, toaster, blender, dish towels, spices.

"Was thinking about what I would do with the money if my grandfather offered me a cool twenty million to dump you," she teased as she opened a drawer, sticking the silverware container inside. In the drawer beneath, she started tossing in the cooking utensils.

"Oh yeah," Joey arched an eyebrow. "What would you do Mel?"

"Hire someone to unpack all this crap while I sit outside by the pool while a good looking boy with rock hard abs, cut hips and shorts resting low on his hips serves me strawberry daiquiris."

"Please," he rolled his eyes. "If you're gonna lie to me at least make it believable."

"What about that is not believable?"

"Rock hard abs. Cut hips. You know damn well that is not the type of man you prefer. You and I both know you like a man with a little meat on his bones," he motioned toward himself. "A little cushion for the pushing."

"Mmmm," Melissa closed her eyes, a smile toying at her lips. "Forget Mr. Needs-To-Eat-A-Sandwich, he's Rachel's type anyway. Bring me a big ole burly man. Oh yeah..." She felt the air change around her seconds before she was drawn into a bone crushing hug and a claim-staking kiss.

"Damn right you want a big, burly man with meat on his bones," Joey muttered against her lips. "You know you lust after my body."

"Oh baby, baby," Melissa cooed. "Your body makes me so hot," she slid her hands around Joey's waist, slipping them into the back pockets of his jeans. She cupped his ass pulling him against her. "Just so you know I love your big ole butt. The thought of making love with someone like JC doesn't," she shook her head. "Doesn't do a thing for me."

"Think of about making love with JC often huh?" Joey teased. He reached up brushing a strand of hair from Melissa's face, tucking it behind her ear. "Just wait until I tell him."

"I can't get past not having anything to grab on to," she emphasized the words with a squeeze of her hands.

"So, have you earned another break?" Joey wiggled his eyebrows suggestively.

Melissa's laughed echoed in the room. "You're a horn dog." She pushed him away and slipped from his arms. "No more play time. We have work to do. You Mister need to get back in the living room and start empty boxes. And," she called, causing Joey to stop as he walked from the room. "Actually put the stuff away instead of just emptying the boxes."

"Damn," Joey muttered. "Slave driver."

"Faster you clear the boxes out the faster we can christen the living room," she giggled when Joey ran from the room. She turned back to the counter and started putting the drinking glasses away.

"Just so we're clear," Joey stuck his head back in. "You wouldn't dump me for twenty million, right?"

Melissa rolled her eyes as she looked at him. "Fatone, I wouldn't dump you five bucks."

Joey worked diligently in the living room, keeping a steady pace of unpacking boxes, breaking them down and clearing away the trash. The living room was slowly taking shape. It hadn't been long after he left the kitchen when he heard a radio start playing. When he heard Melissa's voice sing along, he shook his head. His heart was light and happy as he moved about the room, mixing both his things and Melissa's. He felt completely different now than he did a month ago. He started singing along to the radio under his breath.

When his stomach rumbled he looked at the time realizing they had worked right through lunch. He wondered if he could persuade Melissa to take a break. They had to eat and there was no law that said they had to get completely unpacked today. There was definitely no hurry. They had all the time in the world. Well... at least until they went back on tour, which he didn't want to think about just yet. He wanted to concentrate on spending time with Melissa and getting their relationship back to where it's supposed to be.

His cell phone rang in his pocket and he placed the framed photograph of Melissa and Lance he had just pulled from the box up on the entertainment center. By the third ring, he finally pulled the device from his pocket. When he saw the caller ID and braced himself. "Hello?"

"Hey Joey, Skip here," the lawyers voice came through the line. Joey found himself picking apart the man's tone. Did he sound happy? That meant something good. Or was it a fake happy and he was about to break some bad news. "How are you?"

"Good, good," Joey answered, keeping his tone light. His body had tensed and he waited; waited for the shoe to drop. "Just unpacking. Boxes everywhere."

"I hear ya, man," Skip's laughter was light and airy. "I don't envy you one bit. Last time I moved, I lost half my stuff. While I wasn't looking, the wife was slipping stuff out the backdoor to donate." When the laughter died, Skip got down to business. "I have news for you."

"Should I sit down?"

"No-no; not at all," Ship laughed and Joey felt himself start to relax. "I'm calling to inform you that you are a free man."

"I'm a free man?" Joey repeated dumbly.

"Yes. The judge signed the paperwork; your divorce is finalized."

Joey let an excited whoop. The final chain on his heart broke and fell away. There was nothing connecting to his previous life. He could finally box up this hellish year lock it in the 'never-to-be-opened' section of his heart and forget about it. He was finally free.

"What on earth is going on in here?"

Joey quickly finished up his conversation with Skip before shoving his phone back in his pocket. He grabbed Melissa in his arms and twirled them around the room sidestepping around boxes and furniture.

"What's gotten in to you?" Melissa laughed as he spun her away from him before pulled her back to him. "Did you find my stash of pot?"

"You have a stash of pot?" Joey asked staring down at his love. He couldn't keep the smile from his face.

"Judging by how weird you're acting I'd say not anymore," she teased. "Who was on the phone?"

"The bearer of some very good news!' Joey grinned. "My divorce is final. I am, according to the lovely state of Florida, a free man!"

"How free?" Melissa narrowed her eyes at him. Her heart pounded in her chest at Joey's words. He was officially divorced. Kristen was no longer a part of their loves. They can finally finally move on!

"Not free at all." He quickly amended. "Not one bit. I am one hundred percent taken. By you, always by you, forever by you." He leaned down a kissed her gently. He wrapped his arms around her giving a content sigh when she laid her head on his chest. This was life. "I think this calls for a celebration."

"What did you have in mind?" Melissa asked, leaning back in his arms so she could stare into his face. She trailed her hands up his chest palming his cheeks; her thumbs running over the goatee framing his mouth. "A public celebration or something a little more private?"

"Well..." he trailed off in thought, "A private celebration sounds real nice."

"We have all night for that," she smiled at him. "What did you really have in mind?"

"I don't know; I'm can't get past a private celebration," he ran his hands up and down her back. "We can go to the bedroom where the bed is made and we can forget about all these boxes out here. Celebrate the start of our life.”

Melissa rolled her eyes playfully. "Focus Joey, if you can," she smiled. "Now... celebrate."

"Celebrate."

"Where did you want to go?" Melissa watched as Joey stared off, trying to think for a moment before grinning widely at her.

"Upstairs."
Melissa groaned. "You have a one track mind." Her eyes narrowed as he grinned at her. "Stop messing with me or we will never go upstairs again."

"That's okay," Joey grinned. "You proved this morning we don't need to go upstairs." A blush swept across her face deepening his grin. "I love it when you get riled," he placed a chaste kiss on her lips. "I was thinking of calling the guys see if they wanted to go out. We'll hit up Tabu or something like that. We'll drink and dance the night away celebrating my non freedom."

"You want to go out? With the guys?" She raised her eyebrow at him. "The same guys whom you just got off tour with? Whom you've tripped over for the past few months being cooped up on the tour buses and in hotels?"

"Well... yeah," Joey said sheepishly. "And it's not like I can get away from them if I wanted to. You're Lance's sister."

"True." Melissa shook her head. "Okay. But a club? I don't think Rachel will be up for that."

"She can come, party hard - non alcoholic drinks of course - and forget about her messed up family. Of course she won't be able to hang all over JC which judging from yesterday will be hard for them to keep their hands to themselves."

"Like you don't have wandering hands."

Joey hummed. "But I'm allowed to touch you." To prove his point, his hands moved down her back over her behind, where he was sure to squeeze, before settling on her hips. "So let's call them up; celebrate my divorce, our new start and JC's impending fatherhood. The last one quietly of course. If everyone is busy, we'll stay here and have our own celebration."

"Alright. You call Chris and Justin. I'll call Rachel and Lance." She pulled away from Joey thinking it would be nice to have a fun night out with 'the gang' again. Aside from minor Weatherly drama, everyone was pretty damn happy for a change. That in itself was cause to celebrate.
Chapter 41 part 1 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
I realized I had to chapters to update so here you go. Enjoy. If the moon and ocean work for me right and the stars align..we are nearing the end of this story. Or at least on the downhill swing.
"How are you feeling?" Melissa asked as she slipped into the booth next to Rachel. She twirled the straw in her drink after taking a sip.

"Whoever named it morning sickness played one helluva joke," Rachel grabbed her drink. She held the straw away and lifted the glass to her lips. A few dribbles of water touched her lips before she opened her mouth accepting an ice cube, crunching on the coolness. "It's morning. It's afternoon. It's evening. It's a cruel cruel cruel joke."

Melissa blanched feeling for her friend. "You need me to get you another drink?" She nodded toward Rachel's empty drink as she chewed on another ice cube.

Rachel shook her head. "No. Besides JC went to get me a refill."

"So how's everything at," she looked around before leaning forward and lowering her voice. "Casa De Chasez?"

"Slowly sifting through all the stuff that was brought over from my parents; going through what we don't need and rearranging his stuff to mine will fit in. Of course he won't let me lift anything which slows it down. Every hour he makes me take a break and he keeps telling me to eat."

"Awww," Melissa grinned. "Isn't that adorable!"

"Not really; if he keeps telling me to eat, I'll end up weighing two hundred pounds by the time..." she dropped her eyes to her flat belly, "You know."

"Look at the bright side," Melissa's eyes took a teasing glint. "If you keep throwing up, you won't gain as much weight." She giggled seeing her friend wasn't assumed. "But it's cute that he's taking care of you. Have you heard anything from your grandfather?"

"No, thankfully," Rachel sighed leaning back in the booth. "All's been quiet on that front. I haven't even heard from my father."

"I'm sorry Rach," Melissa reached out squeezing her hand. "It's completely messed up. I can't believe your grandfather would offer you that much money to stop seeing JC. Not to mention, having an abortion." She shook her head. "What a fucking asshole."

Rachel hummed in agreement. With her left arm she cradled her stomach and the life she was nurturing inside. The baby may have been unplanned but she could never imagine terminating it; getting rid of it like trash. Even if JC had decided not to, she swallowed, be with her in their lives, she would have kept the baby; raising her son or daughter on her own. Feeling eyes on her and she looked across the room toward the bar. Above the dancing bodies her eyes latched on JC's.

A smile formed on her lips as she stared at her lover. Her heart flip-flopped when he returned her smile. She pressed her hand against her belly and watched as he laughed at something Joey said. Even though they were separated and the music was loud with the bass pumping, she could still hear his laugh in her mind. Boy or girl, she decided, she wanted the baby to have JC's laugh.

"When are you guys going to tell everyone you're dating?" Melissa asked watching her friend's face. It was completely open. She didn't have to turn around to see who Rachel was watching. "Because if you keep looking at him like a love sick puppy, people are going to start to notice."

Rachel snapped her eyes back to Melissa. "I know and I'm usually better than this. But after spending the last few days with just us I've just gotten used to not having to hide how I feel. It's been nice."

"Are you going to be able to slide into the 'friends' role when they go back on tour if you have to?"
"Sort of hoping I won't have to," Rachel said slowly picking at the napkin her drink was sitting on. "We've hidden our relationship until we could tell our families. As far as the world knows, Lance and I have only been broken up for a week now."

"And my heart is still bleeding," Lance spoke as he dropped down into the booth next to Rachel. "Non alcoholic right?" He glanced pointedly at Rachel's empty glass.

"Good ole H-two-O," she smiled at him, scooting over, giving him more room.

"Bleeding heart right," Melissa rolled her eyes. "That why you were just surrounded by no less than three ladies all vying for your attention."

"They didn't do a thing for me."

"I've ruined you for all other women," Rachel laughed and kissed his cheek. She had been slightly worried after ending her 'relationship' with Lance how they would act afterward. It had all been for naught. They slipped right back into their friendship without missing a step. She would be forever grateful for that. She hated to think they had ruined their friendship.

"How are you feeling?" Lance asked turning the conversation to serious for a moment. He scanned the room, grinning when he saw JC look at them. He stretched and wrapped his arms around Rachel's shoulders. When JC's eyes narrowed at him, he winked.

"Stop it," Rachel elbowed him seeing the looks exchanged across the room.

"I didn't know it took this damn long to get a refill on drink," Melissa turned around in the booth finding Joey and JC standing at the bar. She rolled her eyes. Of course. They were deep in conversation with a couple of people. "Want something done you have to do it yourself. Fucking men, I swear. Refill, Brother?" At Lance's nod she slipped from the booth.

"All is right in the world again," Lance said nodding toward his sister.

"Thank God," Rachel said. "You know how many of our problems were solved when they got back together?"

Lance nodded. "And then you go and create a whole mess," he teased.

"I can't do anything easy can I?" Rachel smiled at Lance, her hand brushing with his. She was glad they were still close, even if they weren't together.

"Can't help who you fall in love with."

"Don't I know it," her eyes traveled back to JC again, smiling when he saw him heading back toward the table armed with three drinks. She didn't see Joey or Melissa. Searching further she found them on the dance floor dancing with Holly and Chris. "Where have you been hiding out?"

"Around," Lance said elusively as JC sat the drinks down on the table. He passed Rachel her water and Lance his before sliding into the spot Melissa had vacated.

"Around huh?" Rachel grinned stretching her left leg out in front of her until she hit one of JC's feet. She gave it a nudge, smiling when she felt a return touch. "What's his name?" She bumped shoulders with Lance. Her grin widened when she saw Lance blush. "I was right!" She said triumphantly. "What's his name? Where'd you meet him? When can we meet him? And more importantly, what's he look like?"

"I met him in Miami..."

"So that's why you were so vague about coming back with us," JC spoke. He looked across the booth wishing he and Lance could switch places. He wanted to be sitting next to Rachel; wanting to wrap his arm around her shoulders and hold her to his side. It sucked having to settle for touching their feet together under the darkness of the table. He nudged her foot again, earning a look which he met with a small smile.

"So you met someone in Miami," Rachel crossed her legs. This time when she stuck her leg out she was able to touch JC's knee. Armed with that information, she sat her foot back down on the floor, slipping out of the flat she wore. Re-crossing her leg, she touched him again this time moving her toe along his pant leg.

"And we spent time together; just getting to know each other on the down low and off the grid," he shrugged his shoulders. "Kind of dumb to chance it in a city that we just had a concert in. Anyone could have spotted us. Not like we were doing anything but..."

"We know you'll be careful," JC scooted forward on the bench. The topic wasn't one he wanted anyone to overhear. Not so much for the group's sake because Lance was more important than their careers. "You won't do anything to jeopardize us," he reached below the table finding the foot that had been rubbing his leg. From his new position, sitting almost on the edge of the bench, he was able to rest Rachel's foot on his knee. From there he set about massaging the foot in his hand.

"Are you gonna see him again?" Rachel asked fighting the urge to place her other foot in JC's lap to receive the same treatment.

"Well," Lance swirled the liquid in his drink.

"What?" Rachel pressed.

"He's here isn't he?" JC asked grinning slyly. He laughed when he saw Lance blush again.

"What?" Rachel looked back and forth between the two men. "You brought him here? Well where is he? Don't tell me you brought him out and then left him to fend by himself?" She watched as Lance lowered his head. "Lance! That's no way to treat your boyfriend!"

"Should I make him sit down next to C so I can play footsie with him?" Lance said with a sideways glance at Rachel.

This time it was Rachel's turn to blush. She felt JC give her foot a reassuring squeeze before continuing his movements. "Invite him over Lance. He can hang with us so he's not surrounded by unfamiliar faces and you guys can still talk. Unless you're ashamed of us..."

"Maybe he doesn't want to introduce his new boyfriend to his ex-girlfriend," JC smiled ruefully.

"I don't see why not," Rachel muttered. "I like to think I'm a fantastic ex. I'm not stalking you, selling any of your things on the Internet. I'm not even spreading nasty lies about your sex drive or how small you dick is."

"How I am forever thankful," Lance said dryly.

"Who has a small dick?" Chris asked as he and Holly finally came off the dance floor.

"You, Dawg," Justin grinned joining his friends. "Damn man, I thought you knew."

"I'll drop my pants right here and show you just how big my dick is. It will have you crying tears of envy."

Justin barked with laughter. "You forget man; we share a bus. I've seen your ass naked. Only tears I'll be crying are those of pity."

"What are we crying about?" Joey asked as he came up to the booth, his hand clasped around Melissa's.

"Chris's small dick."

"Oh yeah," Joey nodded. "It is pretty small."

"Fuck you," Chris stated looking at Joey. "You're just jealous because you have the smallest."

"Shit," Joey laughed. "I'm Italian. We're known for our sausages."

"Boys boys boys," Melissa cut in, "There's only one way to settle this." Her eyes met Rachel's and they grinned. "Measure 'em."

"You heard the lady," Rachel said glancing at the men. "Whip 'em out boys. Mel, Holly and I will judge." She felt JC's hand tighten on her foot and she giggled meeting his eyes.

"I'm not drunk enough for this," Joey states grabbing Lance's drink and finishing it off; ignoring Lance's cry of protest.

"You owe me a drink, Fucker," Lance said when Joey sat his empty glass down.

"Is that your pick up line, Bass?" Chris asked as he slid into the booth next to JC. "Move your skinny ass over C."

"Yeah you and Rachel can play grab ass," Justin laughed.

"You're just jealous because no one's grabbing your ass," Rachel smiled sweetly at him. She lowered her foot, slipping back into her shoe before scooting closer to JC as he moved toward the back of the round booth. To make enough room, her left side was pressed up against JC while Lance was close to her right. Holly and Justin joined Chris's side of the booth while Melissa and Joey slid in next to Lance.

"I'll grab your ass later if you want me too," Joey batted his eyes across the table at the youngest band member.

"There are plenty of women here who will be willing to grab my ass and among other things. I don't need you."

"Now you see why I didn't want Michael sitting here?" Lance whispered in Rachel's ear as Joey and Justin took turns insulting one another.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

“So his name's Michael?” Rachel said quietly back. “What's he like?” she grinned, wanting to hear more about Lance's first male love interest.

“He's really nice. An artist...” Lance went on to tell Rachel how they met. He spotted the man over at the bar and knew he needed to get up and see him instead of just sitting with his friends. “Do you want to meet him?” he asked.

“Hell yes,” Melissa chimed in, removing her hand from Joey's. “Move your sweet ass, Fatone. Rachel and I are gonna go meet Lance's man candy.”

“I asked Rachel, not you, twerp.”

Melissa stuck her tongue out at her brother and got up waiting for him and Rachel to follow. “Too bad. As your sister I have to meet him,” she gave Lance a hug and leaned in. “I promise I won't say anything embarrassing or pass immediate judgment.”

“That's reassuring,” Lance rolled his eyes a little and chuckled at Rachel and Melissa both putting their arms around him, like they were escorting him to the bar.


Michael had come knowing Lance was going to hang out with his friends some, a little nervous about meeting them all. He'd watched as the group converged and the way they all interacted. He knew who the guys were, but it still was different hearing Lance talk about them than meeting them. He smiled at the blonde man coming toward him with the two girls at his side. “I'll get their drinks too,” he told the bartender who nodded, turning back to the the trio.

“Hey,” Lance told the dark haired man, giving him a smile. Now he knew what it felt like between Melissa and Joey. Maybe not the deep feelings like they had, but the giddiness of the new feelings love could bring. “I want you to meet two very important women in my life...well, one of them is important just cause when she was little I didn't try and drown her with the garden hose.”

“Jerk,” Melissa said, poking Lance in the stomach.

“This is my little sister Melissa Bass. She's stuck on that big hairy guy named Joey. Some day they're gonna get married and have kids that are half Wookie.”

Michael chuckled at Melissa's face turning red and held out his hand. “I'm Michael Turchin. And I promise I won't believe everything he says about you. I have a twin sister so I know how it goes.”

“Very nice to meet you, Michael. And for the record, I like you already. I am sure what he's said is a lie.” Melissa chuckled as Lance shook his head.

Rachel snickered and looked at her best friend, “Yeah right. Most of what Lance says is the truth. You just don't want to admit it.”

“I want to know if the hickey from Kenickie thing was real,” Michael said as the girls broke out into laughter.

“Trust me, you don't want to know,” Lance said, pulling Rachel up beside him. “And this is my other blonde and one of my best friends, Rachel Weatherly.”

Rachel shook Michael's hand. “You don't have to worry..well, you do. As long as he's happy, I'm happy.”

“That sounds like a reasonable request,” Michael replied with a grin. “I guess I should worry since the guys haven't come over,” he took a glance at the table where the remaining guys and Holly were sitting talking.

“Not at all,” Lance reassured his boyfriend, putting a hand comfortingly on his back. “I wanted you to meet my sister and Rachel first, that way you wouldn't be scarred for life meeting the guys.”

“They can't be that bad,” Michael rolled his eyes at Lance.

“That's what they all think,” Melissa told him. “Besides, we're the sane ones.”

“You might as well let him meet them. No one will bite. Well...” Melissa bit her lip and colored slightly.

“No one wants to hear about you and Joey's sex life. Ever,” Rachel told her, giving Michael a grin. “We promise to keep them on their best behavior.”

“That's the pot calling the kettle black,” Lance muttered as the four of them walked to the table. He was nervous and at the same time glad that this part in his life wasn't going to be a secret from his friends. To the rest of the world, Michael would be a friend for now, since they were just getting started in their relationship. His heart swelled with pride when Joey stood up with a huge grin on his face and reached out for Michael's hand, not batting at eye. That Joey was the first person he'd told he was gay and his best friend had never treated him any differently than before he'd said those words.

“I'm Joey,” Joey shook Michael's hand and gave him a smile.

“Michael Turchin,” Michael said, giving Joey a grin in return. “It's nice to finally meet you.”

“Well, Lance was sort of vague on the whole thing, but we can forgive him at least this once,” Joey replied giving his best friend a wink and reassuring grin.

Lance and Michael pulled up a couple chairs at the open end of the table so they could all sit and talk. Another round of drinks was ordered, along with food.

“Are you serious?” Rachel raised an eyebrow at the plate of nachos that was sat down in the middle of the table, along with hot wings and another pitcher of beer and water. “This is the third plate of nachos.”

“Don't judge. We're growing men,” Chris said, grabbing a chip with cheese and a jalepeno on it.

“Dig in before it's gone,” Justin told Michael. “There's not time to be shy, man. As long as you don't take Rachel's Reeses Pieces, your life will be just fine.”

Michael looked from Justin to Rachel, smiling slightly. “Do I even want to ask?”

“Justin thought it would be funny to leave an empty bag sitting in the cabinet. So I ate all of his candy. And his beef jerky. His pop was all gone,” she smiled sweetly at Justin who gave her a dirty look. “By the time I was done eating it or giving it away, he didn't have anything left on the bus.”

“Ruthless. I like it,” Michael replied, reaching for a chip.
Chapter 42 part 2 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
The end of this chapter. Thanks for reading
“So....” Lance left the statement hanging as he and Michael got into Lance's car.

“They were great,” Michael replied with a smile, reaching over and squeezing Lance's hand. “They really care about you.”

Lance smiled a little, nodding as he looked at Michael's hand in his before he pulled out of the parking spot. For the first time in his life, he felt comfortable with who he was. Totally comfortable and not ashamed that he was gay. He was still not 'out' but this made it so much better. “Thanks for coming tonight,” Lance swallowed, sighing. “I really like you, Michael. I just...you know I can't exactly be like this when I go back on tour. It's not fair to you-”

“We've already talked about this, Lance. I understand the situation,” Michael leaned in and kissed Lance's cheek. “I think you're someone worth waiting for.”

“And here I was just telling myself to go slow cause you were younger than me,” Lance said with a grin. “I guess that flew out the window.” They were making their way back to Lance's house where Michael had arrived earlier that afternoon. He'd spent the morning tidying up and fiddling with things that were perfectly fine up until Michael knocked on the door. Even though it had only been a short time, he had a feeling this was going to last.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

“Come outside with me,” Joey told Melissa, turning his head to look at her. He was still buzzed from the club and not sleepy. The path to the reflection pond was lit with small lights and the water fall was running. He'd had someone out to make sure everything was working while they were unpacking boxes so they hadn't had any time to enjoy it. It was one of the features they'd both fallen in love with about the yard.

Melissa smiled and took Joey's hand, letting him lead her outside. Neither one of them spoke, the noises of crickets and sounds of wings rustling and frogs croaking made up the quiet. The stars were out and it was a beautiful night. Melissa sighed when Joey's lips met her neck after he'd pulled her to him after sitting down on one of the flat rocks beside the pond. “I love you,” Melissa's statement came out as a sigh, tilting her head to give Joey better access.

“I love you more, Bambina,” Joey mumbled, his lips still on her skin. He smiled when her hands found his hair and tugged gently. He grunted, regretfully pulling away to untangle her. He'd brought her out here for a reason. He didn't miss the pout of her lip when he studied her face with the soft glow the light was giving off from the water and the path. Joey ran a finger over Melissa's cheek and smiled when she leaned into his hand. He didn't care how many girls screamed his name, who wanted a piece of him. The woman he was with at the moment was the one he wanted to spend the rest of his life with. It was true back when he'd proposed the first time and it hadn't changed. “I have a new song to sing to you,” he said, watching her study his face intently. “Don't laugh.”

“Do I ever laugh?” Melissa said, then saw him look away and her heart beat a little faster. He was nervous. It was endearing that the goofy guy he was on stage and to millions of fans all over the world that he was nervous in front of her. “Sing to me, Fatoney.”

“You know I'd fall apart without you, I don't know you do what you do. Cause everything that don't make sense about me, makes sense when I'm with you...” Joey sang, getting up and then dropping down to one knee, still singing. “And I wanna call you mine, wanna hold your hand forever, and never let you forget it. Yeah, I wanna make you feel wanted.” He pulled Sofia Fatone's ring out of his pocket and held it up to the woman who was wiping tears. “Marry me, Melissa Nicole Bass. I know I asked before...and all I want is for you to be mine.”

Melissa sniffled, nodding and letting Joey slip the ring back on her finger where it had been. It felt right and she held Joey's face and kissed him softly, her hands holding the sides of his face. “Yes,” she whispered, smiling as she brushed her nose with his. “I was yours a long time ago.”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“I need your help, Rach,” Melissa told her friend, smiling a little when Joey pulled her closer to him under the covers. She tried hard not to giggle when she felt his fingers under her shirt, reaching down to keep his hand still.

“What did Joey do now?” Rachel asked, curling up in the chair by the bookshelves. Melissa had called her a bit ago and they had chit chatted before now. She was curious, since she figured the couple would be much like she and JC were other than coming out the night before, which meant they were just hiding out at the house and spending as much time together as they could without the rest of the guys and the tour and everything associated with that.

Melissa smiled and looked back at Joey who was trying to look innocent. “He proposed.”

“How long do I have?” Rachel asked with a smile, knowing what her friend wanted before she even asked.

“Two weeks...”

Rachel blinked and sat up a little straighter. “Excuse me? Did I hear two weeks? You have lost your damn mind. Joey actually agreed to this?” she asked, surprised. The guys were due back to run through rehearsals again in a week.

“We can do this, Rachel.”

Rachel sighed, closing her eyes. Melissa always had been over eager on things, and this was no exception. However, to hear her friends voice bubbling over the phone and picturing her face as she married Joey was something she couldn't say no to. And she knew that Melissa would be there helping her plan her own wedding to JC in a short amount of time. “Just promise me you won't freak out. There is no freaking out in this time period. I'm pregnant and not in the mood to hear about you not being able to choose a napkin color.”

Melissa rolled her eyes and sighed, a smile on her face though. “When have I ever freaked out about something?” she asked innocently as Rachel just started going off. “I'm kidding. No freaking out.”

“Bass, you so owe me,” Rachel told her, getting up to go find her laptop so she could start making a list on there and checking off things. “This is going to be crazy. You know that right?” she asked as she sat down with the machine and let it boot up. “You're sure this is what Joey wants? He will have to be Superman to pull this off.”

“He's Superman. We're all good. His only request was that there is something with his precious 'S' on it. And that we have real food at the reception. Like a full meal and all that other stuff.”

“Define other stuff,” Rachel said, pulling up a word document and started typing. “I can't read your mind, Mel. Unless you're thinking about Joey, which is all the time.”

“Drinks, finger foods, groom's cake...that other stuff,” Melissa told her. They talked a little while longer on a few easy things before the girls planned to get together later that day. “And I don't think about Joey all the time,” she said after the fact, pulling the conversation back around.

“Lies!”

Rachel laughed as Joey yelled into the phone. “Go have fun with your man before they are back trying to kill themselves to remember the dance moves. I will see you this afternoon. And for the record, you're both crazy.”

“I love you too, Weatherly,” Melissa said before telling her friend goodbye. She let the phone drop to the carpet and then turned to Joey and narrowed her eyes. “You are mean, Fatoney.” Her hands reached for him, pulling him closer and kissing him soundly on the mouth.

“Mean, huh?” Joey mumbled as they kissed. “I hardly think you think that, Bambina,” he whispered, his teeth grazing an earlobe. “I'm a nice guy.”

“Very nice,” she replied with a sigh and a small laugh. “Think you can help me plan a wedding in two weeks?” Her eyes met his and she bit her lip at the look on his face. He was just staring at her with this goofy look on his face. “What?”




“In two weeks you'll be Mrs. Joseph Anthony Fatone, Junior,” Joey leaned in and kissed her cheek. “For that, I'll plan anything you want. Want me to pick out your dress?” he grunted when her fingers found his hair. “Okay, I'll do the flowers and your dress and the food.” Another sharp tug and Joey sighed. “Everything. I surrender. Just keep doing that.”

“How about you worry about your clothes and who you want to be standing next to you and me and Rachel and our families will worry about everything else. I can call in reinforcements,” Melissa smiled as Joey laid his head on her and moaned in appreciation. “I need you to do the whole we have one day for a honeymoon type thing.”

“I can do that,” Joey said, groaning loud and burying his face into her shoulder before he turned his head and spoke again, “Or we could get married on Friday night. Have two nights and then its life on a bus.”

“I can't wait.”

“Me either,” Joey replied, not sure how he was going to keep it together for the next two weeks. In the back of his mind he knew he had obligations to the guys and to his job, but he was ready for this step in his life. He wanted it to be perfect; to have all the memories that went along with it.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
Rachel made her way downstairs and paused. She could hear the piano downstairs playing and listened. JC had gotten up only a little while before, leaving her to sleep late after the phone call from her friend. It had been a wonderful respite and she'd spent the next hour in the bed with the covers pulled up to her chin, cuddled up to JC's pillow. She knew it wouldn't last, that she would join JC and the rest of NSYNC on tour and there would be no more sleeping in their bed for a while.

She made herself a glass of juice and poured JC a cup of coffee from the pot that was half full. It was funny that he never made a whole pot, claiming that he never drank it all so it was wasted if he made a full one. Rachel smiled at the music that JC was playing, humming “This I Promise You” as she made her way down the stairs and set the drinks on the small table next to a chair and sat down next to him on the piano bench. “Hi,” she said, leaning her head on his upper arm and sighed when his lips met hers.

“Morning,” he replied with a grin, his fingers still on the keys. “How are you feeling?” JC smiled when Rachel did, reaching over to caress her stomach and the slight bump that was there.

“Well, I feel like I've slept half the day away but it's been nice. And now that I'm semi awake, in a panic because I'm supposed to help my insane friend get married in two weeks. Of course she's marrying Joey, so that makes the insanity something of a moot point.”

“Speaking of getting married...” JC's voice trailed off and he looked at Rachel. “I'm still going to propose, but we have a few days here and there that are free. I mean, unless you want a long engagement.” He frowned, the words not coming out right. “Damn it,” he muttered.

“What?” Rachel asked, seeing JC look away. “What's wrong, C?” Her mind ran through things and she frowned when he didn't answer. She pulled his face to look at hers and she was surprised to see him with tears in his eyes.

“I want you to be happy with me. And I want to romance you and everything to go smoothly...and I felt like what I just said was 'Let's do this cheap and lazy so we can be married before our baby gets here'. Which is not what I meant at all.” JC sighed and looked down again, wishing he'd just kept his mouth shut.

Rachel paused and studied JC's body and wrapped her arms around him gingerly and gave him a hug. “I love you, Joshua Scott Chasez.” She tipped his chin up to face her and planted a kiss on his lips. “ I am going to marry you. Before our baby is born I will be Mrs. Chasez...Not because everyone expects that, or because we are hurrying but because that's what I want. I'm not going to freak out if it's not a year long engagement. So quit worrying so much, Mister Perfectionist.”

JC gave her a small grin and returned her affections. “It's my job to worry. I'm good at it. I just want to make sure you're happy.”

“I am happy, JC. I have a man that loves me and we're having a baby. I have friends that care about us and my Mom said my Dad was coming around to the idea of having a grandchild. She caught him looking at a baby book in the grocery store and when she asked him about it, he just glared at her.” Rachel ran a hand over JC's cheek. “I don't expect anything more from you than just you, C.”

“It's just a lot to deal with...” JC blew a breath out. “The touring and planning a wedding and doctor's appointments. I can't be there for all of it,” he frowned, hating that. If he had a regular job he would be home for everything. It ate at him and he felt like he wasn't being as good of a man as he could be.

“I can't be there for every concert and radio interview. Does that make me a bad person to you?” Rachel asked and JC shook his head. “It's life. I know you love me and care about me even if we aren't together every day. However, I am planning on living on the road with you for a couple months. Mel and I can keep one another company while NSYNC is off being the best boy band in the world.”

“I thought you said it was the best boy band in the universe.”

“I found another boy band in an alternative universe that had you and Nick Carter in the same group,” Rachel grinned big when JC gave her a glare, “so they trumped you.”

“Very funny,” JC muttered, shaking his head. “What time to do you have to be over at Joey and Mel's?”

“Around four. Joey said you could come too. They are having finger foods and drinks...this isn't just me going. They are rallying the troops,” Rachel told him, slipping her hand in his. “Playing me a song...please?” she added, batting her eyes.

JC squeezed her hand and nodded. “If I play this for you, you can't tell Mel. Joey started on this a while back and I just got the melody worked out.” His hands ran across the keys, humming at the beginning. “Feel the wood grain on the floor, passion burns behind the door. Crying out pull me inside, silhouettes they shine, baby we're on fire..” He reached over and hit a button over on the electronic keyboard and a beat started as he finished the song. “He wrote part of it after the night he stayed with her in Los Angeles. He wants to record it soon.”

Rachel had goosebumps listening to JC sing. It wasn't just that, but the words that their friend had written were amazing. She let out a breath she didn't realize she was holding and shook her head a little. “That was awesome. Who knew Joey had it in him?”

“Amazing what comes to mind when you're inspired,” JC told Rachel giving her a smile. “I confess I think about you now every time I sing 'This I Promise You' now since I found out it's your favorite song.”

Rachel blushed and shifted on the piano bench. “Yeah, I have a weakness for that song. Speaking of weaknesses, we have a few hours until we have to be over at the Bass-Fatone house...” she raised an eyebrow and gave JC a flirty smile.

“I was done here anyway,” JC told Rachel, getting up and pulling her to him. “I love you,” he murmured before kissing her, letting his tongue press against her lips demanding entrance. A groan left him as she complied. Her fingers tugging at his shirt made JC break off the kiss and study her face intently before letting her undress him halfway. He balled up his shirt and intwined his fingers in hers as they slowly made their way up the stairs, pausing to kiss and touch; clothes littering the stairs.

Rachel let JC take her back to the bed, smiling when her head hit the pillow. “Oh bed, how I've missed you,” she remarked, giggling as JC rolled his eyes at her. “But the company is a lot better than it was a couple hours ago.”
Chapter 43 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
Okay I know, an update!!! Sorry it took so long but I have wonderful news! I have finished Between Friends and am posting the end of it tonight!! Thank you so much for reading and reviewing. I have enjoyed taking you on this Joey and Mel journey.
Joey wiped the sweat off his face, glaring at Wade's back as they ran through the show again. They all knew the moves, this was to tighten them up after a few weeks off. “Some of us have better things to do today than this, Robison,” he said grabbing a bottled water.

“Like what, Fatone?” Wade gave his friend a cool look in the mirror.

“Book a room for the honeymoon,” he replied, rolling his eyes when the rest of the guys started whistling and giving cat calls. “Remember that's your sister, Lance.” Joey grinned when Lance just shut his eyes and shook his head.

“Nevermind I said anything,” Lance muttered, he watched Joey sigh heavily and check his phone. He knew they had another week of practice and knew the closer it came to the wedding day the less his best friend would pay attention. “Wade, I'll make you a deal. If Joey gets all the steps right the whole run through, you give him next Thursday off. Actually, you give us all off.”

“Why would I do that?” Wade asked, leaning on the mirrored wall, looking at Lance.

“Because Joey really does have a lot to do. And he's helping my sister plan the wedding.”

“What color are the napkins, dude?” Justin asked, a huge grin on his face, figuring Lance was just trying to get them out of rehearsals for one day.



“Silver,” Joey replied without batting an eye. “Mel and Rachel are doing the dress, the cake and groom's cake, bridesmaids dresses and the church. I told her I have the reception and the honey moon and whatever I pull off besides that um, the rehearsal dinner. We have suit fittings after this. We're meeting my dad, Jim Bass, Steve, and David over there.”

“Have you fell and bumped your head? The guy is just supposed to show up...” Chris said, looking at Joey like he'd suddenly gone crazy.

“Oh, and the flowers too.”

Five men all looked at Joey and he shrugged. “Don't hate the player.” He got out his phone and pressed a couple of buttons and smiled. “Wanna see the bouquet?”

“At the risk of sounding like my mother...yeah,” Justin said, stepping up and looking over Joey's shoulder. “That's sick. You picked that out?”

Joey nodded as the other guys crowded around him. “My dad knows the guy who owns the flower shop and I went in and saw what he had and could get. And Mel has one less thing to worry about. Besides that, he told me about this great little get away that has no cell phone reception. So you guys can't call and bug us for a couple days.”

“All of those in favor of no one sharing a bus with the newlyweds raise your hand,” Lance said as the other three men of NSYNC put their arms up. “I have no desire to hear your mating call.”

“I'm sure it sounds like a flock of dying geese,” JC said, making them all groan.

“How did you even get Rachel in bed, man? That would have messed up your corners you could bounce a quarter off of.” Justin stuck his tongue out at JC.

“I have an idea, guys..Let's rehearse once more and then I will let you go early. Since Joey has to go pretend to be David Tuttera,” Wade told them, hoping to get the concentration back on the task at hand. He saw Joey roll his eyes and grinned. “Just remember, man. You have more mochismo than most men out there. Cause I wouldn't set foot in a flower shop.”

“And that's the reason you're single,” Chris told him as they got back into position to dance.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“I'm nervous about the flowers,” Melissa confessed to Rachel as they pulled up to the flower shop. They weren't doing the flowers but she wanted some to go in the church. They'd been planning for a week and it still looked like they hadn't done anything but get her dress and picked out bridesmaids dresses. The appointment for the cakes was tomorrow and she realized when people planned weddings why they did it with a while to spare. She and Joey had spent the first day picking out wording for the invitations and then she'd handed that task off to Janine, who promised it would be done and it was but still. It was nerve wracking.

“It will be fine. Joe Senior knows the guy. He won't let you have ugly wedding flowers,” Rachel reassured her, hoping that she was right. She had no idea what Joey was thinking being in charge of that part of it. He'd come strutting in like a peacock, telling them that he'd done the flowers. When she and Mel introduced themselves, the older man got a huge grin on his face and started jabbering in Italian before switching to broken English and pulling them both back to the cooler and pointing to a case that said 'Fatone wedding'.

“You see, Joseph want beautiful, bellisima like his Bambina. I make you something to take home today..The rest ready next week. And a surprise,” Bartolo said, handing Melissa the bouquet. “Dees real..you cake flowers real..rest..you take home. Silk flowers, very expensive,” he added, reaching next to Rachel and pulling out a smaller bouquet. “You like?”

Melissa and Rachel both stood there, staring at the flowers. Deep red asian lilies were paired with white and light purple roses with greenery. Little crystals were stuck in at various points to give it a sparkle to go with the silver ribbon that adorned the stems and kept it together. It was beautiful. And you couldn't tell they weren't real.

“Joey picked this out?” Melissa half whispered, stunned. It wasn't that she didn't think he could, just that it was better than she could have done.

“Si. Yes, he picked out and told me to do best job I ever do,” the man smiled and herded the girls back out to the front of the store. “You tell him come pick up boutineers next Thursday and I set up everything else and deliver Friday to the church.”

“Thank you,” Rachel and Melissa both said, walking back out to their vehicle and getting in, neither of them saying a word for a few moments.

“I don't know what planet Joey's from, but right now I think he is Superman,” Rachel said after a moment, looking at the bouquets Melissa was holding as she pulled out of the parking spot. “What else did we have to do?”

“The cakes are tomorrow. And Holly said she was taking care of the catering. The appointment is at 1:30. And my dress fitting is at 3 today. Joey and the guys go to try on their suits after that. It's going to be sort of an old world feel.”

“I know,” Rachel told her, not telling Melissa she'd told her that about three different times in the past week. She knew it was nerves and excitement. And the best part was that the dresses had complimented the girls even though they were all different heights and shapes and sizes, so Rachel wasn't as worried her baby bump would stick out as much as she thought it might. “Don't forget you and Joey have to go get the marriage license sometime before Thursday.”

“I know. We're going tomorrow,” Melissa's phone chirped and she smiled. “Sofia Fatone will be in on Wednesday, along with some cousins from New York. That's from Janine. And my grandparents will be coming from Mississippi along with other relatives. It might not be a huge crowd, but it will be fun.”

“I never doubted that for a minute,” Rachel told her friend as she made her way towards the pastry shop. “You and Joey have the streamline on fun.”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Melissa looked at the garment bags hanging on the door of the closet. She smiled a little, thinking of the dresses. She hadn't meant to get another dress, but it had called to her when the girls had all went to the dress shop. They went with the shoes she'd seen that were red like the lilies Joey had picked out. Those were in a bag along with some new make up from Ulta. That had been an early wedding present from Janine.

Her mind wandered and she jumped when she saw Joey standing there with a garment bag as well. “How long have you been standing there?” she asked, watching him smile.

“A few minutes. You looked happy so I wasn't gonna interrupt. Hopefully you were thinking about me...”

Melissa watched Joey lay his things on the bed and then went to him, pulling him to her. She pulled his face to hers and kissed him softly. “I'm always thinking about you, Fatoney.”

“Are you excited?” Joey asked her as she nodded, leaning in as his lips met hers once more. “Let's go downstairs and watch some television. I brought home Mr. Chow's...we need a night to just unwind,” he held fingers to her lips as she started to protest. “Bambina..I know we have things to do. I don't figure we will get much sleep in the next few days..I just need you to sit with me on the couch and relax with me.”

Joey knew if he didn't make her, Melissa would start freaking out about things that weren't done. Worrying about what they'd given to their friends and relatives to do and drive herself and him crazy. He stuck out his bottom lip and pouted, watching her sigh and finally nod.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“I'm getting married today.”

“If you say that one more time, I'm going to smother you with a pillow and you will be getting buried instead of married, Mel,” Rachel whispered harshly, although there was a smile on her face.

“It's four in the morning. I wonder if Joey's awake...” Melissa went for her phone and then frowned when Rachel plucked it off the nightstand and tossed it on the side of the bed she was on. “What was that for?”

“Please, for the love of everything that is holy. Go to sleep. Joey's asleep. And if he's not he should be. You will be worn out by the time the wedding gets here and I will have to deal with you being a whiny nagging pain. Take a nap.”

Melissa sighed, knowing Rachel was right. She'd slept for a few hours and was awake. It was nerves and excitement. She was still in awe that everything except for them getting ready was done. She and Joey had spent the time the day before packing clothes. Not just for a honeymoon but for the tour. It wasn't the most fun thing they'd ever done together, but it was one less thing to worry about. Friends and family had arrived, taking up space at respective houses and a hotel, while she and Joey were separated for the night. That was another reason she couldn't sleep well. Rachel was not a cuddler, and besides that, wasn't a big hairy goateed guy. “You aren't as fun to sleep with as Joey,” she finally said softly as Rachel gave her the finger.

“I could steal you away from him in a red hot minute,” Rache replied. “However, you aren't my type. Too blonde.”

“Goodnight, Weatherly.”

Rachel picked up her phone and turned to where the screen wasn't visable to Melissa. She smiled as she typed out a message to JC.

'Hope you all are getting more sleep than we are. I love you.'

Her phone buzzed quickly and she smiled wider.

'The groom is finally passed out. He had us working. Let's just say it will be surprising later today. Gonna get some sleep. Love you.'

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Lance knocked on the door of Joey's house, not sure who would answer. He knew it would be a female, but from whose family was the surprise. He smiled when he saw Rachel. “I was told to come check on the bride,” he said, pulling her in for a hug. “How's the maid of honor?”

Rachel hugged Lance. “I'm fine. How are you?”

“Well, Joey woke up around noon and got the rest of us up. So far it's been nothing but video games and an ongoing pool tournament. Among other things,” Lance smiled and held up a small package. “Where's my sister?” he asked, seeing more women in the living room.

“I think she's in the bedroom,” Rachel said.

Lance made his way up the stairs and knocked on the door, opening it when his sister said come in. “How are you?” he said, smiling at her surprised look. “I came bearing gifts,” he said, going to sit down next to her on the edge of the bed. “You're awful quiet.”

Melissa looked at her brother and smiled, leaning on him. “I'm trying hard not to be nervous. And I'm so excited. I'm afraid I won't remember anything later today. I'm getting married, Lance. To Joey!” She couldn't help it, the tears came them and she was glad when her brother just held her.

“You two deserve one another. To drive us all crazy for the rest of our lives,” he teased, then got serious when she looked up at him. “He asked that you open your present with me here. He wanted to hear about your reaction.” Lance handed her the package that was wrapped.

Melissa fingered the silver wrapping paper with the white ribbon and pulled out the small card and smiled. “This is for your 'something old'. It came from my father when he couldn't wear it any more. I wore it until we went to Europe, I'm not sure you ever saw it. Either way, now it is yours, Bambina mia. Never forget that you have my heart,” she read, looking at Lance.

A jewelry box was revealed and Melissa opened it and blinked. It was a bracelet
that looked very old and said 'Fatone' on it. She smiled and picked it up. “It's beautiful,” she told Lance, slipping it on. It was almost too big, but then she watched him pull a smaller package out.

“These go with it,” Lance said, watching her open the charms. He chuckled, watching her open the fasteners and put them on. One was a heart and the other was a ring. “Here,” Lance reached for them and helped his sister put them on. “There's more, but I'm sworn to secrecy.”

“You suck..” Melissa shoved him and stuck her tongue out before looking at her present. “I wasn't sure what to get Joey...” her voice trailed off and she went to her nightstand and opened the drawer and pulled out an envelope with Joey's name on it. “Take this to him. And tell him I love him and I can't wait to see him later.”

A knock came to the door and Janine stuck her head in. “I hate to break this up, but we have to get to the salon so we can all look hot. No men allowed.”

Lance got up and took the envelope from his sister. “I'll tell Joey you loved the bracelet. See you later this evening, Bass.”

“You only have a few more hours to call me that, then it's Fatone!” Melissa yelled at him.

“I thought you were going to hyphenate it,” Linda said to her daughter who shook her head.

“As much as I loved being a Bass, I'm excited to be a Fatone.”

Holly laughed and shook her head. “You wouldn't care what Joey's last name was, as long as you were marrying him.”

“This is true. But now I can legally claim him as mine.”

Rachel groaned and looked at her best friend. “Remind me again why I'm going on tour with you? I'll never see you.”

“Yes you will..”

“Joey's not that good in bed,” Sofia Fatone spoke up with a grin. “He has to rest sometime.”

All the women were at a loss for words as the older woman smiled. It was Louise who spoke up next.

“If he was that good in bed they would have eloped.”

“Dear God, please bless the grandmothers, for they know not what they say. And that now I will not be able to look at Joey tonight without laughing.”

“There's a confidence builder for the honeymoon,” Rachel told her as Janine stuck her fingers in her ears.

“I'm just hoping for a grandbaby,” Phyllis said as she patted Melissa's cheek. “No pressure.”

“I'm just calling Joey and telling him to meet me at the courthouse in an hour,” Melissa told them all, a smile on her face. “Between sex jokes from grandmothers and baby stuff from the next generation down, I will be lucky not to have Joey lock himself in the bathroom.”

“I hope you get video of all this.” Holly burst out laughing when Melissa gave her a dirty look. “Okay we give. Let's get to the salon, woman. We gotta get you married.”

“You make it sound so wonderful now,” Melissa said, gathering up her phone and charger and her garment bags. It looked like she was moving and smiled when Bartolo pulled up in the van, flanked by another car. “You made it just in time.”

“I know, I run late but I am here. The back is unlocked yes?” he asked, watching Melissa nod. “You come home to a beautiful surprise. Your flowers are already at the church,” the older man kissed her cheek and then greeted the other women the same way, speaking to Phyllis in Italian.

“You know, his Italian doesn't sound the same as Joey's,” Rachel pointed out as they got into a vehicle.

“That's because Joey yells in Italian when he gets mad. And the rest you don't get to hear.”

“Bass, my ears are going to bleed. And baby Chasez doesn't wanna hear this.”

Melissa looked at the slight baby bump and grinned. “I'm sure I'm not the only that's going to warp this kid. There is Uncle Chris.”

The conversation as they went was light and fun, with Melissa excited. She pulled out her phone and sent a text off to Joey, telling him that she loved him and couldn't wait to see him later.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Joey grinned when his phone buzzed. He was about to respond when Justin plucked his phone from his hands. “Give that back you little shit,” he growled as Justin laughed.

Justin just smirked and read the message in an overly feminine voice. “I love you so much. I can't wait to see you later and marry you.”

“That's so sweet..and kinda nauseating,” JC teased.

“You're getting married next, Chasez. You'll be a damn wreck,” Joey pointed out as JC wouldn't meet his gaze.

“What are we gonna do for the next couple of hours? I mean, all we have to do is get dressed,” Chris asked from his spot on the couch.

“It's up to the groom,” Steve said, pulling Joey into a headlock. “What are you gonna do today? I mean, we've wasted most of the day away sleeping cause you are a slave driver.”

“It was for a good cause, dipshit,” Joey said, punching Steve in the gut.

“I got fifty on Joey,” Lance said, walking through the door. “And I have something for you.” Lance held up the envelope and smiled at his friend.

Joey shoved Steve hard and got away from him. “Yeah. Did she like her present?” he grinned, waiting for an answer.

“Its on her wrist, as well as the charms,” Lance replied as Joey nodded.

“What is it?” Justin asked, standing over Joey's shoulder. “A love letter?”

Joey lifted the flap on the envelope and opened it, pulling the letter out. A picture fell out and he picked it up. It was a polaroid picture of him and Melissa. A much younger version, both of them smiling.

He unfolded the letter and started reading, looking up at the guys and then down at the paper again.

“What's wrong?” Steve asked, watching Joey just stare.

Joey shook his head, letting out a small laugh as he used the back of his hand to wipe tears. “I never thought I'd turn into some puss on my wedding day, but here I am..” he cleared his throat and looked down at the paper once more. “This is our first picture together. It took me a while to find it, buried beneath all the others. I never thought about it, but we were so young then. And I think somewhere along the way I gave my heart to you early on because I knew it would be safe. It was a crush at first, but I fell in love with the New York boy. The one who would sing me songs on a whim and call me in the middle of the night just to say hi. You made me feel special. Like I wasn't just someone tagging along with Lance. I am sure it felt that way at times. … however, today, I am marrying my best friend. I love you, Joseph Anthony Fatone, Junior. And I am so happy I get to be your wife.”

Jim Bass looked at Joey and smiled, putting an arm around his soon to be son in law. “You know you are family already. And if it were anyone else, I might have reservations about my baby girl getting married. I get the feeling she will be pulling me down the aisle to get to you.”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*


“How do I look, Pop?” Joey asked as his father finished pinning the boutonniere to his suit. He was nervous and excited, hoping that he wouldn't forget his vows he'd wanted to say.

“You look good. Like you're ready to be married,” Joe Senior told his youngest son, smiling at him. “I will finally get another daughter to dote on,” he said, straightening Joey's tie.

“Come on, Fatones, we got five minutes,” Chris knocked on the door and yelled.

“The house looks like a war zone hit it,” he said, looking at the garment bags and clothes in the guest room of his parents house. “I'll make sure the housekeeper knows to come here and clean.”

“Just go get married. I know how to clean.”

“Since when? Mom finally whipped you into shape,” Joey teased his father as they went out. Joey grabbed his cell phone, keys, wallet and sunglasses. His and Melissa's suitcases were already packed in her Mustang so they could leave from their house to go on their honeymoon. “Let's rock and rolla and lose controla.”

Chris laughed as they went out the door. “Sometimes, I don't know who's dorkier, you or Mel.”

“Now they're getting married. Their kids are going to be warped,” Lance replied from the backseat, laughing when Joey flipped him the bird.

“That kid better have Mel's looks,” Steve remarked.

“Be jealous, assholes,” Joey grinned wide, glad the older men were all riding in a different vehicle. “Cause tonight, I'm fucking Lance's sister.”

A chorus of cussing and gagging sounds was made as the whole car fell silent. Joey just laughed, turning up the radio singing along. Nothing could dampen his mood as they drove toward the church. He was beyond ready to have Melissa be his wife.
Chapter 44 by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
This is the last chapter before the epilogue. Yes, I cried writing it.
Edgar looked over the church and then at his wife, who was talking with one of Joey's relatives. Instead of sitting on one side or the other, they were told to sit on either side, get to know one another because they were going to be family. Or as one of the New York Fatone's said “Familia”. Flowers were everywhere and he was even more impressed to find out they were silk.

“One of the cousins said there was something before the ceremony,” Louise whispered, watching her husband nod.

The screen that was at the front of the church for use during worship came to life and the small whispers that had been going on got quiet when they saw something happening.

'A Bass-Fatone production. Filmed and edited by Steve Fatone. Directed by JC Chasez.'

“Oh my,” Sofia Fatone grinned when she saw her youngest grandson, humming a song as he skips along in the rain.

'I'm singin' in the rain, just singin' in the rain, what a glorious feeling I'm happy again' his baritone voice rings out as he goes along, getting to a door and the music stops and he knocks.

The door opens and he sees Chris's face.

“You're going to be late for your own wedding. What were you doing?” he asks, pulling him inside and the screen goes dark for a moment.

It comes back with Melissa and her wedding party around her.

“How do you feel, Mel?” Janine asks, and Melissa shrugs as she applies some lipstick and then blows a kiss to the picture of Joey taped to her mirror.

“I feel pretty. Oh so pretty. I feel pretty and witty and gay...and I pity, any girl who isn't me today,” she sang part of the song from Westside story, as the girls help her finish getting ready.

'See you in a few' the last lines said before it started playing instrumental music and rolling through a set of pictures of the couple together.

*^*^*^*^*^*^

“You have Joey's ring?” Melissa asked Rachel, looking when Rachel showed her that it was tied onto her small bouquet. “And I look okay?”

“You look gorgeous, Mel..don't panic. Joey wouldn't care if you walked out naked, though it might scar the rest of us,” she teased, glad when Melissa cracked a smile. “I'm leaving you in some capable hands,” she told her, going to answer the door when Jim Bass knocked.

“Hi Daddy,” Melissa said, hugging him tight. Her mother had been there until she had to go be seated by Lance. “I'm alright..just..excited and nervous...” she admitted, trying not to cry.

“Why are you nervous?” Jim asked, grabbing a kleenex and dabbing her eyes. “Everyone out there knows and loves you and Joey. We've all been waiting for this....” he looked at his daughter, thinking back to when she was little and she needed him to tell her there were no monsters under the bed. Or later when he took her school with Linda for the first day. “I don't feel like I am losing you. Yes, you are marrying Joey. And you will have a new last name..but I promise you there is nothing to be nervous about,” he smiled when she nodded and took a deep breath. “Ready to go?” he asked.

Melissa looked in the mirror once more and smiled at her reflection before picking up her bouquet. “Joey picked these out, aren't they gorgeous?” she said of the flowers.

“They are. And I think he did a good job of picking out the woman...but I'm biased,” Jim replied. “Just don't look at your mother or grandmothers. They are crying already.”

Melissa rolled her eyes and chuckled a little as they walked arm in arm down the small hallway, then faced the doors of the chapel. She swallowed and took a deep breath, looking over at her father and then smiled when the doors opened. It was then everything else just sort of faded when the music started and she spotted Joey.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“The bride and groom have elected to say their own vows.” The minister nodded toward Melissa.

Melissa had tried very hard not to cry and was losing that battle hearing Rachel sniffle and Joey having tears in his eyes since she was handed off to him from her father. That had been a bittersweet moment in itself, since instead of just handing her off, her father hugged Joey and told him that he loved him.

“My Joey...coming up with these words was hard, because how do you describe the way I feel about you? You are my heart. When something is wrong, I look to you to fix it, to weather me through whatever storm comes. I promise that I will do my best to do the same for you. God has blessed me with one of the most caring men to look after me for the rest of my life,” Melissa let one tear slip down her cheek and reached out to wipe one of Joey's. “I promise to be yours in sickness and health, for richer or poorer, for better or worse...I will love you until death do us part.” She smiled a little and leaned in. “Your turn, I love you.”

Joey quickly kissed her cheek. “Not fair. I love you too,” he whispered as he straightened up and looked at the woman who was standing in front of him. The woman who had his heart and would forever. He looked out at the crowd and then back at her, taking a deep breath. “I can honestly say five years ago when I met the girl Lance had tagging along with him to recording that I would be here. I was going to stay single...” he paused and swallowed, willing himself not to cry. “And then love happened. I found my world turned upside down and I thank God every day that I have you, Bambina mia. I promise to love you, honor you, take care of you through everything that life throws at us.”

Phyllis Fatone wiped her eyes as rings were exchanged and then slipped her hand through her husband's.

“I now pronounce you man and wife. Joey, you may kiss your bride.”

Joey pulled Melissa to him, smiling. “You're mine now, Mrs. Fatone,” he said softly as he pressed his lips on hers. He could hear the cheers and whistles and clapping as they kissed. He broke it off only to kiss her once more.

“I love you, Mr. Fatone,” Melissa replied, running a hand down one side of his face lovingly. She couldn't think of anything that made her happier than this moment. Slipping her arm through his, they made their way slowly back down the aisle.

“Welcome to the family cara mia,” Sofia Fatone said as she hugged the young girl. “Now comes the fun part,” she whispered with a knowing grin, reaching over for her grandson.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
“Oh wow,” Melissa looked out from inside the kitchen where she and Joey had come to stand to be introduced while their friends and family were starting to enjoy the drinks and appetizers. She grinned at Joey, loving that the decorating had went from outside into their kitchen. Silk flowers were on the table where cards and presents were stacked. Her eye caught writing on one of the envelopes and she pointed to it. “I love that.”

Joey looked to where she was pointing and nodded. 'Joey and Melissa Fatone' it said and he leaned in and kissed her once more. “We're married,” he told her, still not sure if his feet were touching the ground or not. The wedding had went off almost perfectly, not without some little hiccups, but it had been wonderful.

“I know. I'm still waiting to be woken up from this dream.” Melissa stuck her tongue out at Rachel who walked by and made a face at her before motioning them to come out. She slipped her arm through Joey's as they went out on the porch greeted by claps and whistles.

“Ladies and gentlemen, for the second time tonight, let's give it up for the newlyweds. Mister and Misses Joey Fatone, Junior,” Steve said, garnering more applause. “And just for the record, Mel, you look good as a Fatone.”

“Suck up,” Joey hissed to his brother, the smile not leaving his face. He didn't let his bride leave his side as they made their way to the head table, their friends sitting on either side of them. Joey hoped that someone was taking a lot of pictures. He didn't want to forget a moment of it.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

“I love you,” Melissa told Joey, her arms around him as the danced slowly to the band playing. The night had been unbelievable. The food had been incredible, along with the drinks. Everyone was having a great time out on the dance floor and visiting at various tables. However, they'd not danced to a formal 'wedding song'.

Joey smiled and leaned in and kissed his wife. “I love you too, Bambina,” he said. He caught JC's eye over her head and nodded slightly. “Stay here. I gotta go for a minute.” He slipped from her arms and made his way to the stage where the band was playing, along with his band mates. He grabbed a microphone and grinned out at the crowd of family and friends. “Well...last night I was trying to come up with a wedding song for me and Mel to dance to...”his voice trailed off and he looked at his wife. “And, you wouldn't believe this, but I couldn't pick one. How do you pick one song that means everything you want to say? So I came up with this...”

Rachel slipped up next to Melissa while Joey was talking and handed her a kleenex and put an arm around her. “You'll probably need this,” she whispered with a half smile, her kleenex balled up already. JC had halfway spilled the beans about what Joey was planning and being hormonal hadn't helped. She'd bawled on his shoulder, then smacked him hard for making her cry.

“If my brother is already crying, you can believe it,” Melissa pointed out, looking at Lance, who was trying hard to keep himself together. When Joey started singing, she understood why.

“Baby you'll find, there's only one love, yours and mine...” Joey started out, pausing a moment before stopping completely. “But then I thought..that's not the beginning of how I feel..”

There was a full size keyboard and Joey sat down and adjusted the microphone. “Just for the record, no one cried last night. But we were all dog assed tired,” he added as the crowd chuckled. “I may cry..so..at least I don't have mascara on. Sorry ladies.”

“No New Year's Day to celebrate, no chocolate candy hearts to give away. No firsts of spring, no song to sing. In fact, here's just another ordinary day. No April rain, no flowers bloom, no wedding Saturday within the month of June..But what it is is something true, made up of these three words that I must say to you. I just called to say I love you...I just called..to say how much I care..I just called to say I love you. And I mean it from the bottom of my heart..”

Justin, Chris, JC and Lance harmonized for the chorus and then paused as Joey got up and grabbed the microphone. “And then that wasn't good enough.” He smiled at his friends, wondering what his wife would think as he launched into a medley of songs.

“Oh..my..” Melissa's hand covered her mouth and she watched Joey smile at her. She dabbed at her eyes with the tissue and watched them all sing. She heard Lance sing and stuck her tongue out at him. What surprised her the most was Justin. Justin had tear tracks down his face but was singing his heart out. “Remind me of this when he makes me so mad I can't see straight,” she leaned over and told Rachel, who just nodded.

Joey left the rest of the men on stage and went to his wife. “I think I owe you a dance,” he said, pulling her back to him. “Surprised, Bambina?”

“So what is our official song?” Melissa asked after the song had ended and applause and whistles were loud.

Joey just gave her a grin as “Selfish” started and the remaining four men of NSYNC were on stage. “I still couldn't pick one song..” he confessed as they danced.

Selfish morphed into How Deep Is Your Love. Chris's counter tenor rang out as he took the lead before the music changed. You Rock My World started and Joey did a little Michael Jackson move as Justin sang, grinning at them.

“Wait, wait, wait...” JC interrupted, looking very stern at Joey. “A Michael Jackson song? That's how you feel about her?” he asked as everyone looked on.

“What's wrong with that, C?” Joey asked as JC shook his head again.

“That is not the song that makes me think of you and Mel..” JC replied as the other three guys started griping. “We need to show you...not just tell you..”

Joey looked slightly confused and then a white sheet was lit up with a picture of him and Melissa. It had been strategically placed behind the band and did double duty as a backdrop. Then the music started and he started shaking his head. “Damn..” he said, listening to JC sing as he watched the pictures flicker through.

“If I had taken the time to write down a few lines, every time that you crossed this heart of mine, and put them all in a book, how much time would that have took...

Melissa sniffled and then glanced at Joey who had tears running down his face. “I think we're supposed to be dancing,” she whispered, not moving, just holding her husband's hand tightly and looking at the pictures. She wondered where they all had come from. A lot were ones she didn't have.

“A beautiful song and it starts with your name, written my way into fortune and fame. But I have no regrets for not doing enough..I was too busy being in love, yes I was too busy being in love.”


*^*^*^*^^*^*^*

“You look tired,” JC told Rachel as they slow danced. He'd lost his jacket and tie over an hour ago and Rachel's heels had come off as well. It was going on almost midnight and he knew everyone was having a good time, since no one had left.

“I am,” Rachel confessed, leaning her head on his shoulder. “I was up at oh my god thirty keeping Mel off the phone. And then today was...” she smiled when she spotted the bride and groom dancing and laughing. “Today was wonderful.” It had been crazy trying to plan a wedding in such a short amount of time, but it was worth it to see her friends smiling and happy.

“Let's go sit down then,” JC said, pulling Rachel out to the backyard past the tables and to the reflection pond that was lit up with tea light candles and small twinkling rope lights. “You sure you're ready to go on tour?” he asked, concerned about her welfare and their baby.

“I'm ready, C. I promise. Just let me sleep all day tomorrow and I'll be bright eyed and bushy tailed to get on the bus. I still can't believe we helped pull this off,” she said, shaking her head a little. Rachel lounged in JC's arms, sighing contentedly. “No matter how much planning, there's always something that goes wrong. Even if it's a little something...”

“True,” JC said, adjusting Rachel so that he could see her face. “I mean, plans don't always go the way you think they should. I mean, I've been wracking my brain for a while to figure out how I wanted to do this...” he took a breath and grinned when she looked confused slightly.

Rachel's heart sped up when JC moved to get on one knee in front of her. She could see JC's face and bit her lip, holding back tears when she saw him blinking back his own.

“Rachel, I tried to plan out how things would go since I was little. Forever the perfectionist...” he paused and chuckled. “And you were always around with Lance and Mel. I didn't plan on falling in love with you, but it happened and I am so deliriously happy. Add to that we're having a baby...a blessing from God. And I have just one question for you. Will you marry me?” JC pulled out a very nice diamond ring from his pocket and held it up.

“Y..Yes,” Rachel choked out, pulling JC to her for a heated kiss. She let him go when she heard cat calls and whistles from some of the group. She let JC slip the ring on her finger and grinned at him. “I love you, C.”

“I love you,” JC leaned in and kissed her once more. He wasn't sure the night could get any better. His friends had gotten married and he was now engaged.

“Let's offer up a big congratulations to JC and Rachel...” Chris said into a microphone a few minutes later after all of the squealing and hugging and back slapping had been done. He held up a glass of wine. “Rumor has it they're engaged. What happened to us, Rach?” he asked, a pout on his face.

“Keep dreaming, Kirkpatrick,” Rachel shouted back at him with a smile on her face and accepted his hug. “You know I love you Chris,” she told him with a laugh as he pretended to cry on her shoulder.

“I know,” he said, “I just gotta give you shit. Marrying Chasez. You deserve it.”

“Well, two-fifths of NSYNC just went off the market in one fell swoop,” Lance remarked, smiling at Michael as they sat watching the festivities.

“You jealous any?” Michael asked, his fingers wound through Lance's.

“In a way that I can't be out with you yet...but that time will come I'm sure,” he smiled at the younger man. “And now my sister has to put up with Joey farting in the bathroom and not turning on the fan. I will tell her payback is a bitch.”


“I love you, Melissa Fatone,” Joey half whispered, grinning at Melissa, pulling her to him and kissing her softly on the mouth. He still couldn't believe they were married. The marriage license was signed, with Phyllis agreeing to take it to the Courthouse as soon as it opened Monday morning. That thought didn't really matter though as he kissed his wife in their bedroom. They'd come inside and upstairs to change to get ready and leave on their short honeymoon and Joey wasn't going to miss an opportunity to kiss her. He pulled away and was surprised when she pulled him back to her. “What, Bambina?”

Melissa nuzzled Joey's nose with hers and smiled, kissing him once more. “Want me to help you get undressed?” she asked when she broke off the kiss and he chuckled. She could tell he almost said yes when she batted her eyes and stuck out her lower lip.

“I don't think it would be a good idea,” Joey said, pulling at the knot in his tie. “That reception was killer.”

“You were amazing,” Melissa told her husband, turning around so he could unzip her dress. She smiled at his warm hands on her back for a moment. “I am sure our backyard will look like we had a frat party out there.”

“It will be clean by tomorrow afternoon,” Joey replied, nuzzling her neck. “And how was I amazing? I just got up there and sang a little...” his voice trailed off as he planted a kiss on her neck. He heard her suck in a breath and moan slightly. “We gotta get ready to go,” he said, pulling away and smiling at the glare he got.

Melissa turned around and pulled Joey's face down to hers and kissed him hard on the mouth, one of her hands on his cheek, the other going to his hair and yanking, getting a groan from him. She tried not to smile but couldn't help it. Turn about was fair play. A few moments later, she gazed at her husband and giggled. His hair was messed up and he was standing there with a dazed look on his face. “We have to get ready, Fatone,” she said simply, patting his face gently.

“Played by my own wife...” he muttered, watching her slip out of her dress and hang it up carefully. “You know how this started right?” he said, tossing the tie on the bed, reaching for the buttons on his vest.

Melissa pulled her shirt over her head and nodded. “It started out between friends.”
Epilogue by DiamondDoss
Author's Notes:
Here is the end of this story. It is one of the longest I have ever written. And I have a couple people to thank: jr88freak and creativechaos. Thanks ladies for your help and nudging and letting my muses play. And to my readers and reviewers, thank you so much for letting me share this story.
“Bambina, what are you doing up?” Joey asked, pulling Melissa's body to his. His hands wandered over her very pregnant stomach and he watched as she half smiled. “How's our little Evie doing?” he asked, kissing her neck.

“I think Evie and I need you to take us to the hospital, Daddy. Cause these contractions aren't getting any farther apart and I think my water broke.” Melissa grimaced as another contraction hit her, trying not to look scared at Joey's panicked face. “Don't freak out, Fatone..we're just having a baby...”

Joey's eyebrows rose even more. “Just having a baby? That's my baby...” he said, looking her up and down and then at himself in just some sleep shorts. “Give me five minutes, Bambina mia..” his fingers brushed her stomach again and he leaned in and kissed her once more.

Melissa watched her husband practically sprint toward their bedroom, shaking her head when she heard him singing very loudly in Italian. She'd gotten ready about thirty minutes ago when she realized that the contractions were getting a little closer and a bit harder. The doctor had told them last week that their daughter could make her appearance at any time and Joey had been a nervous wreck since then. She couldn't fault him though. Even though he'd driven her crazy at times, asking her if she'd eaten the right things and rested, not wanting her to clean too much and telling her it was okay to miss a show if she was tired; he'd been wonderfully attentive and put up with some of her less than loving moods when hormones hit and left her a bawling mess in his arms. Joey had rubbed her feet and went and got her a frosty from Wendy's at 3 a.m.

Joey pulled on a shirt and grabbed the jeans he'd worn earlier that weren't really dirty and shoved his feet into some sandals. Snagging a ball cap, he threw it on and grabbed his wallet and keys and headed back downstairs, pausing to grab his phone off the charger. “How are you, Melly?” he asked, watching her walk slowly.

“Fine,” she replied, her voice strained a little. “I have my purse and phone..the bags are in the Mustang.” She leaned on Joey a moment, sighing. “I'm a little scared,” she confessed. Melissa hadn't voiced any of her fears, the ones in the back of her mind that something could go wrong. She felt her husband's arms around her as he held her close.

“Bambina mia...Mel..You'll be fine, Evie will be fine. Let's get you to the hospital so I will have an excuse to park in Emergency parking and act like an idiot,” Joey told her with a smile, nervous as well, trying to hide it. Of course he'd never voiced this to his wife, knowing it would stress her more. Helping her into the car, he kissed his wife once more. “Let's go have a baby.”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Joey stood outside the hospital room while the nurse helped Melissa get undressed and put a hospital gown on, along with a few other woman things he wasn't sure he wanted to know about. He'd called his parents and siblings and in laws. Now he dialed his brother in law's number listening to the phone ring.

“'Lo?” Lance's deep voice mumbled from sleep.

“We're at the hospital. Melissa woke me up a little while ago with the contractions not going away,” Joey told Lance. They talked a bit longer before hanging up. Melissa had called Rachel on her way to the hospital and Joey knew she would be there in a little while to help coach. Joey had joked with the women from his family and Linda Bass and Rachel, that he wouldn't have a reason to be there. He'd realized that had been the wrong thing to say when his wife promptly burst into tears. After that, Joey decided just to keep his mouth shut. And after being questioned, Melissa had informed him that he was the only one she wanted in there when it was time for the baby to come.

“Mr. Fatone,” the older nurse said, touching his arm lightly. “You can go back in now. We are monitoring the baby's heart rate and the contractions. They are about nine and a half minutes apart.”

Joey thanked the nurse and went back in the room, pausing at seeing the monitors hooked up to his wife, her round stomach sticking up. He took in a breath and gave her a small smile. “How do you feel?” he asked, sitting down and taking her hand. It was almost four a.m and he was wide awake.

“Like my insides are starting to try and come out.” Melissa smiled and reached for Joey's hand, placing it on her stomach. “Say hi, Daddy.”

Joey smiled, a kick pushing against his hand. Leaning down next to her stomach, he kissed the place where their daughter had kicked. “Eva Sofia, cara mia...Daddy loves you. You be nice to Momma...” he felt his wife squeeze his hand, watching the monitor as a contraction hit. “Breathe, Melly.”

*^*^*^*^*^*

“We heard there was a baby, yo,” Justin said with a big smile as he came into the private waiting room with Chris and Holly. He set down the bag that had a big stork on it with a pink blanket.

“Not yet,” Janine told them, putting down her magazine. “They've been in there since four.”

“It's almost noon,” Chris said, to which Linda Bass just smiled and shook her head. “What?” he said innocently as he sat down next to his friends.

“Labor doesn't have a set time,” Linda explained to which Phyllis just nodded. “And she is related to Joey. I'm sure she will have to make an entrance.” She had been in with her daughter for a while, until coming back out to let someone else come in.

“What's in the bag?” Steve asked Justin, who quickly produced a soft purple unicorn.

“It's Mr. Biscuit,” Justin said as they all laughed at him. “I just figured it's a weird enough name...for a Fatone toy.”

“Oooo it's soft,” Holly said, hugging it to her. “It's adorable, Justin.”

“That's cause I got the know how on baby swag.”

“Yes, because you've been to how many baby showers?” Lance shot back, a smile on his face.

Justin glared at Lance, all of them turning as Rachel came into the room, a smile on her face. “Mel's started pushing and we should have a baby soon.”

“How's Joey handling it?” Joe Sr. asked, looking concerned.

“Like a champ. The perfect coach,” she sat down next to Linda and texted JC, who was at home with their two year old, Noah. “I'm telling C that my next cheerleader will be Joey. All JC did was freak out.”

“What a great thing for your husband to hear,” David said, teasing Rachel. “I love you and I'm having your baby but you suck in the delivery room.”

“JC would agree with your statement,” Rachel said with a short laugh. “Actually JC did good, I'm just surprised Joey hadn't passed out yet. He was close when Melissa's blood pressure spiked but it went down.”

Jim Bass looked at Linda and took her hand. They were excited for their first grandchild and wanted everything to go smoothly.

*^*^*^*^*^*^

“Joey...” Melissa sighed, tired and looked at him. “I'm exhausted.” She'd been in labor for most of the day and now she could push and she didn't want to. She tried to smile at him, letting him feed her an ice chip.

“I know, Bambina. Just a bit longer and we'll have our Evie with us,” Joey brushed her hair back and watched the monitor, knowing another contraction was coming. “Get ready to push, Melly.”

Melissa watched the monitor too and braced herself. The epidural had kicked in so she couldn't feel hardly anything, just knowing she was supposed to push. All of the time they'd waited to see their daughter and now she was almost here.


“Come on Mel,” Joey urged, feeling like his fingers were breaking as his wife pushed. She'd been at it for an hour and it was like all at once there was a screaming, wiggling baby being wiped off by the nurse and put on Melissa's chest. “Oh..my..God..” Joey whispered, tears coming to his eyes. He stared in wonder at the little person still crying and at his wife crying and kissing her head.

“Say hi, Joey...” Melissa watched tears roll down Joey's cheeks and sniffled when he kissed her softly. “Hi baby..that's your Daddy.” The nurse let them have a few moments before instructing Joey on how to cut the umbilical cord before taking their newborn away to get weighed and meaured and shots. Melissa smiled at Joey, who was just standing there in a daze, a smile on his face. “You did good, Fatone. I love you,” she said, leaning back on the pillow and closing her eyes for a moment while the nurse cleaned her up.

“You did amazing,” Joey told her, leaning in to kiss her. “I'm going to tell everyone and then to the nursery to get pictures.” He watched her nod and took off, his heart beating wildly. He was a dad. The precious life he and Melissa had made depended on him for everything. He'd been in love with Eva before she'd been born. Now he was sure his heart was more full.

“Eva Sofia's here!” Joey announced loudly to the group that was in the waiting room, accepting handshakes and hugs before leading them all to the nursery to where they could see her getting weighed and measured.

“She has blonde hair,” Phyllis commented, smiling at her son. “I always knew you liked blondes.”

“She's a cute half wookie,” Chris commented, getting slapped hard on the shoulder by Holly. “Ouch. What did I do?”

“Hi baby, I'm your Uncle Justin,” Justin said loudly through the glass, a huge smile on his face. “I will teach you to be the coolest, sweetest kid ever. I will buy you all the stuff your Daddy says you can't have.”

“Whatever,” Joey huffed, a grin on his face. “Uncle Lance might have something to say about that.”

“Uncle Lance thinks all the honorary uncles will have to wait their damn turn to hold my baby Eva.”

Michael grinned and slipped his hand into his boyfriend's. He'd been the one to paint the pictures that were in Eva's room, getting hugs and kisses from Melissa and a huge bear hug from Joey for the gifts at their baby shower. He felt like he was a part of the Bass family and the rest of the guys had accepted him as well, smiling at the love in the room and the joy of the new baby.

*^*^*^*^*

“Nona said she will be here in a couple days,” Joey told Melissa after he said goodbye to his grandmother in Italian, sending her pictures to her phone and promising her more real pictures. Everyone had come in and held Eva, kissing and cooing over her. Much to Joey's delight, she screamed when Chris held her. And she fell asleep with Uncle Michael, who passed her off to Jim Bass. His father in law would have held her all day if he could have, being pulled away by Linda to the cafeteria so that they could have a little time to themselves.

Now he was sitting the rocking chair with the plastic bassinet next to him. Eva was wrapped up 'burrito style' in a blue and red blanket with a small pink hat on her head. She was asleep and all he wanted to do was look at her. He looked up at Melissa and smiled at her. He'd been in love with her before now, when they got married. And he'd fallen more in love with her, but now it was different. He couldn't explain it exactly, just that she'd given him something that was like nothing else. A child-his child. And he prayed there would be more, but for now, Joey was completely happy with the baby next to him.

“She's perfect, Joey.”

“Yes, she is. Like her mother.”

“If you think that's getting you anywhere...The doctor said no sex for like 10 weeks.” Melissa laughed at his face and sighed. “I figure after that time we'll be lucky to remember our names with no sleep.” They'd been through Rachel and JC's sleep deprived newborn episode, so it would be interesting to see what would be in store for them.

*^*^*^*^

A soft knock came to the door and JC peeked his head in. “Hey,” he half whispered, holding Noah Chasez. “Can we come say hi?”

“Sure, man,” Joey got up and hugged his friend and ticked Noah, who just buried his head in his father's neck. “You wanna see my baby, Noah?” He smiled when the boy shook his head no.

“He woke up from a nap and kept saying 'Baby'...Then we get here and he doesn't want to see,” JC shrugged. “Hey Mel. How you feeling?” JC asked, going and giving her a hug and kiss on the cheek.

“I'm on some medication and had a baby. I'm great,” Melissa told JC, kissing Noah who let go of his daddy to curl up next to her on the bed.

“Baby,” Noah pointed, looking at Melissa with big blue eyes and unruly hair like JC's.

“Yes, sweetheart. Aunt Melly and Uncle Joey's baby,” she explained, watching Joey pick Eva up carefully and deposit her into JC's arms.

“Hi little girl,” JC whispered, smiling when she yawned. “I'm your uncle C. Your Daddy and Momma love you very much. And we do too...” he added, looking up when Rachel came in.

“Hi, I see you have a cute baby,” Rachel went over and kissed Noah and then went over to JC. “She looks like Mel..well..other than the Fatone nose.”

“That's a good Italian nose,” Joey defended, giving her a wink.

“She screamed with Chris,” Rachel told JC with a wide grin.

Eva started fussing and Joey took her, sitting down in the rocker.

Rachel smiled at Joey and went over to Melissa and picked up Noah. “You good, Bass?” she asked, teasing her best friend.

“I'm perfect, Weatherly. Thanks for being here.”

“Where else would I be?” Rachel gave her a hug. “Give me a call if you need anything. We'll come see you and bring goodies later this week. Love you.”

They said their goodbyes and left the new parents alone. Melissa watched as Joey carefully changed Eva's diaper and tried to feed her with the bottle. She heard him whispering and then tears came to her eyes.

“Let me sing you a song, cara mia..Your Momma likes it when I sing to her,” Joey said softly as he rocked. “Tale as old as time..true as it can be...barely even friends, then somebody bends unexpectedly...”
This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2423