Girlfriend by PopDiva
Summary: Inspired by Avril Lavigne's "Girlfriend".  Jenna doesn't like JC's girlfriend and it's time that he knows.
Categories: Completed Het Stories Characters: JC Chasez
Awards: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, General
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 810 Read: 541 Published: Jul 23, 2012 Updated: Jul 23, 2012

1. Chapter 1 by PopDiva

Chapter 1 by PopDiva

They were calling her name.  She was really going to do this.  She quickly downed the shot that Chris had suggested she use as liquid courage and rose from her seat.  It was a short walk to the karaoke stage, but it was long enough to give her time to wonder if this was such a good idea.  Then she saw JC standing there with her and everything clicked into place. 

She grabbed the microphone and nodded to the DJ.  Let the games begin.  Nobody would ever be able to say that Jenna was a mouse again.  She pointed at JC and surprised even herself with how loudly she belted out the first verse of her chosen song, the song that had been playing through her head ever since the day that JC took up with her.

Hey! Hey!  You!  You!
I don’t like your girlfriend!
No way!  No way!
I think you need a new one!
Hey! Hey! You! You!
I could be your girlfriend.

It was worth public humiliation to see JC look over his shoulder, only to realize that Jenna was singing directly to him.  That moment of recognition gave her all the confidence she needed to continue.

Hey!  Hey!  You!  You!
I know that you like me!
No way!  No way!
No it’s not a secret!
Hey!  Hey!  You!  You!
I want to be your girlfriend!

How dare he talk her up to all his friends?   How dare he flirt with her constantly?  How could he tell her that he liked her and then turn around and date her?  Jenna had saved him a spot beside her at breakfast the day after his confession and JC pretended she didn’t exist as he went out of his way to ignore Jenna and pulled up a chair at her table.   Well, he wouldn’t be able to feign indifference now.

You’re so fine,
I want you mine,
Your so delicious!
I think about you all the time,
You’re so addictive!
Don’t you know what I could do to make you feel alright?
Don’t pretend, I think you know I’m damn precious
And hell yeah,
I’m the mother fuckin’ princess!
I can tell that you like me to and you know I’m right.

This was Jenna’s anthem.  She normally liked to stay out of the spotlight, but when she heard this song, she knew what she had to do.  It was time to give JC and his newest flavour their comeuppance.  Jenna might not have him, but at least she had the chance to tell her that her new boytoy really liked Jenna.  Whatever reason he was with her, at least Jenna had that.

She’s like so whatever,
And you could do so much better.
I think we should get together now
And that’s what everybody’s talking ‘bout!

It was true.  How many of JC’s friends had told Jenna that JC would have been better off with her.  Jenna wasn’t a money-grabbing, celebrity-seeking troll like she was.  Jenna had really cared for JC before he pulled this stunt.  Sure, she was the typical underweight arm-candy that fit in JC’s world, but Jenna had thought that JC was different, that he could see that Jenna had so much more to offer than she did.

Oh in a second I’ll be wrapped around your finger
Cause I can, ‘cause I can do it better.
There’s no other, so when’s it going to sink in?
She’s so stupid, what the hell were you thinking?

The fact that JC had chosen her had hurt like hell.  Jenna had no delusions that singing this song would change anything.  She was singing it for herself.  Chris and Justin had given Jenna the support she needed and just enough liquor to get her up on stage.  It was cathartic, even if it cost whatever semblance of a friendship JC thought they could maintain after he confessed his affection and then dated someone else. 

The truth was that if he couldn’t be honest with himself about his feelings, he didn’t deserve someone as great as Jenna.  Arm candy might satisfy him for a few days, but one day, he was going to realize that he’d made a huge mistake.  Jenna did not intend to be present to pick up the pieces.  JC was not going to toy with her emotions any more. 

Jenna finished the song, took her bow and handed off the microphone.  She stepped off the stage to roaring applause.  Chris and Justin hugged her tight.  Jenna made eye contact with JC one more time.  She wanted to be sure he got the message.  She turned her back on him and walked away.  She kept her head held high and did not look back.  She didn’t like his girlfriend and now he knew it.

 

 

Song credit:  “Girlfriend” written by Avril Lavigne and Dr. Luke.

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2424