Fridays, Three Fifteen by ialwayzbesingin
Summary:

 photo fridaysban_zps6bfb810b.jpeg

 

Every Friday afternoon, he gave her something to look forward to.  What she didn't know was that she gave him something to look forward to as well.  Something that took him away from his life, for just a little while.


Categories: Completed Het Stories Characters: Justin Timberlake
Awards: None
Genres: Alternate Universe, Drama, Humor, Romance
Challenges: Fall Into Fall
Challenges: Fall Into Fall
Series: None
Chapters: 17 Completed: Yes Word count: 37445 Read: 14502 Published: Oct 26, 2012 Updated: Oct 26, 2012
Story Notes:
I'm early! I was supposed to post on the 31st but I've been busting my ass to get this done before secret santa starts! I hope you all enjoy it. I have no idea if it's good or not.  i feel like I kind of threw it together on a whim, but nevertheless, here you go!

1. One by ialwayzbesingin

2. Two by ialwayzbesingin

3. Three by ialwayzbesingin

4. Four by ialwayzbesingin

5. Five by ialwayzbesingin

6. Six by ialwayzbesingin

7. Seven by ialwayzbesingin

8. Eight by ialwayzbesingin

9. Nine by ialwayzbesingin

10. Ten by ialwayzbesingin

11. Eleven by ialwayzbesingin

12. Twelve by ialwayzbesingin

13. Thirteen by ialwayzbesingin

14. Fourteen by ialwayzbesingin

15. Fifteen by ialwayzbesingin

16. Sixteen by ialwayzbesingin

17. Epilogue by ialwayzbesingin

One by ialwayzbesingin

“But I put the order in a month ago.”

“Sorry, Sal.  You know how these things work sometimes.” I smile tenderly at the older gentleman.  He’s a regular, comes in at least twice a week with the strangest book requests.  His latest mission is trying to find a priceless first edition of Huckleberry Finn.  I actually did find one, overseas, but getting it here is a whole other story.  I feel for the guy.  I’m sure if I paid five hundred dollars for a book I’d be concerned too.  “Maybe next week.  I’ll call them again tomorrow morning, hows that?”

He sighs, but flashes me a small smile after a moment.  “If it was anybody else I’d be a whole lot angrier, but I can’t be angry with the best book consultant in New York.  I’ll just take my usual order.”

I nod, retrieve it from his designated shelf behind me and hand the pile of books over.  

“What’s the damage?” He asks me, as I find myself eyeing the clock on the wall.

3:11

My palms immediately start to sweat.  “It’s one fifteen forty seven today.”

He slides his charge card.  “How goes that job hunt?”

“It’s going,” I chuckle.  “No openings right now, unfortunately.”

My mother is a semi famous poet, and my father is a professor of English at Boston College.  From the moment I was born, they had destined me for great things, felt that I would grow up to be a famous Pulitzer prize winning author, or a world reknowned professor.  I did neither.  I decided to help people instead, get my degree in Library Science, and try to find work in the New York library system after I graduated.  I’m working on it.  Those jobs are a little hard to find, but I’ve been busy in the meantime.  I work part time at a cute little bookstore on the lower east side of Manhattan, and volunteer at a senior citizen center during my free time.  Sure, it’s not the most exciting life, certainly not the one my parents envisioned for me, but at least I’m independent, and one day...I’ll have a job that they can be semi proud of.  We talk often, and I go home most holidays to spend time with them.

My love life on the other hand, is nothing to write home about.  I was a dork in high school, too busy keeping my nose buried in a book rather than worrying about going out with boys.  Since I moved to New York, I’ve been stood up for most of the dates that have been set up for me, and the ones I’ve been on...

I shudder at the memories.

“Keep at it.” He winks as I bag his books.  “You’re a young, attractive woman. You’ll either land that job or a hunk soon enough.”

“There’s no good men left in this city, but I’ll keep an open mind, Sal.  I’ll call you if the book comes in.”

“Take care sweetie.”

I bid him a goodbye, watch him walk out the door, my eyes lingering after him.  I wish life could be that easy, coming down to a simple book on order.  Unfortunately, my life is anything but at the moment.  With an expensive rent due by the end of next week, and a stack of bills to pay, I won’t be doing much of anything until I can land a better job.  My parents have money, but I don’t ask them for it.  I don’t want to give them another reason to sigh, and ask me why I chose the career pat that I did.

Oh yeah, Mr. Wonderful number seventy thousand stood me up a couple of nights ago to top things off.

I’m done dating.

I’ll just look forward to Fridays at 3:15 instead.  It’s a much safer play.  Sports Fiction guy doesn’t even know I exist, thanks to those earbuds shoved in his ears, and that’s good.  He hasn’t caught me staring.

At least not yet.

“Is he here yet?”

Sandra fixes her hair and her boobs once she’s confident our crotchety manager isn’t lingering nearby.  Determined like never before to have an excuse to say something to the guy, she took the liberty of screwing up the order of every book in his favorite section at the start of her shift today.  Talk about being productive.

“Not yet.” I look up at the clock again.

3:15 on the dot.

“He’s bound to come to the counter today,” she reassures me.  “Then we can get a really good look at him.  You know, make sure he’s not one of those faraway hotties.”

I roll my eyes.

“Es, come on, you know the lighting in here is the worst in New York.  Remember the last guy?”

“He was clearly ugly from across the store,” I laugh.  “You just forgot your contacts that day.”

“My brain is more like it.”

The bell tinkles above the door, and our conversation immediately stops.

I know it’s him right away.  The music is blaring out of those earbuds of his, the volume on his iPod obviously turned up past the safety level.  He never notices though, never glances around to ensure he’s not bothering anybody.  His head bobs in time with the beat, as he blows past us and over to his favorite section of the store, without so much as a glance in our direction.

Three fifteen to four o’clock on the dot, every Friday without fail for three months, he’s graced us with his presence.  He never says a word, never buys a thing, and normally I’d just ignore him...but I can’t.  Something forced me to look over at him from the very first time he came into the shop, and I was hooked ever since.  That first Friday, I stared at him for a good half hour, couldn’t stop, but he never noticed.  He has and seemingly always will be oblivious to his surroundings.

He’s tall, that’s the first thing that caught my attention.  At least six feet.  I like tall guys, because I consider myself to be too tall for a girl at five foot seven and a half.  This guy could easily tower over me if I wasn’t wearing heels, and the other day I found myself buying an expensive pair of dress flats just in case the opportunity ever arose to have dinner with him.

I’m ridiculous, and pathetic.

“I think he got more doable since last week,” Sandra hisses.  “My God, look at those arms.  Those biceps are just...and those cheek bones...mmm.”

“Shh.”

“What do you think he does, seriously?”

“I dunno,” I mumble, as I watch him looking through his normal section of books.  His brow is furrowed, and I’m sure he’s confused about the lack of organization.  Maybe Sandra’s idea will work...

A small smile cracks at the corner of his mouth suddenly, and he pulls a book off the shelf, flipping it open to the place he left off last Friday afternoon.

“Shit.”

“Well he’s not stupid,” I whisper.

“Still, I thought he’d get lazy and ask.  That’s what most men would do.”

“Well he’s not like most, I guess,” I chuckle, but don’t take my gaze away from him.

“I’ll find out what book that is and hide all the copies next week,” she says, devilishly.  “Then he’s bound to talk to us.”

I shrug.  “Or he could pick out a different book.”

“I doubt it.  He’s read that same book with the  blue cover for the past four weeks.  We should make him buy it.  Maude would.”

“Yeah, but are you gonna tell him to buy or scram?”

“Hell no.”

I lean against the counter.  “Well that makes two of us.”

“Anyway, back to the original question, what do you think he does?”

I look at how he’s dressed, like I always do.  Khakis, polo shirt, loafers, black rimmed reading glasses that he only slips on after he settles himself inside our store.  It’s business causal but that doesn’t narrow things down much.  So far Sandra and I have determined that he couldn’t work construction, he’d be dirty.  Couldn’t work in a restaurant, he’d wear more comfortable shoes.  “Maybe he’s just some rich guy that’s going to graduate school.”

“He’d buy the book if he had money.”

I shrug.  “Maybe he’s cheap?”

“He’s too cute to be cheap.”

“Sandra,” I laugh.  “His looks don’t have anything to do with being cheap.  Besides, we already know that he’s waiting on something, or someone.  He stays for exactly forty five minutes, and looks rushed when he leaves.”

“Maybe he’s a gigalo,” she cackles.  “Waiting on his boss to pick him up for his shift.”

A completely inappropriate scenario pops into my mind at the thought.  Me, in fuzzy handcuffs, him, in leathers, straddling me from behind...

I either really need to get laid, or I just have a sick, sick mind.  I shake my head roughly.  “Doubtful.”

She takes in a deep breath, and lets it out slowly as she keeps her gazed fixed on him.  “I can’t wait around anymore.”  She shifts her boobs around again and straightens out her blouse.  “I’m going to talk to him.”

“No...” I grab her arm before she can get two steps away from me.  “He’s in the moment, don’t bother him.”

“In the moment?” She tugs her arm out of my grasp and gives me an odd look.  “It’s a damn book, Esmerelda.”

“He might have a girlfriend,” I warn.  “Maybe that’s who he’s waiting on.”

She shrugs.  “I’ve never seen him with a girl.”

“You don’t see where he goes after he leaves here,” I laugh.  “C’mon Sandra...”

“You know...you’re right,” she says, seeming to forget her mission to go talk to the guy.  “Maybe...oh man, I have the best idea.”

“What.” I grunt it out.  Sandra, while I love her, never has the most brilliant ideas.  She flunked out of NYU her sophomore semester and has been working at this lame ass book store ever since.  She really has no other goals, no drive, no ambition.  She stays here because it’s easy and pays her rent.  At least I’m trying.

“One of us should follow him.”

“We can’t leave,” I scoff.  “Maude would go ape shit.”

“Not tonight.  Next week.  You should ask to leave early and I’ll take the day off.”

“Stalking is illegal in all fifty states.”

Mr. Sports Fiction coughs, clears his throat, but doesn’t take his focus off his reading.  

“It’s not exactly...stalking.  We’d just be walking in the same direction,” Sandra points out.

“I’m not doing that.” I shake my head.  “Let me know how it goes, and please, don’t use your one phone call on me, all right?”

“Wimp.”

“I’d just prefer not to get arrested.”

The bell dings again, and a woman with two children walks into the shop, immediately striking up a conversation with Sandra.  She wants to know about some new books we may or may not have, and so, Sandra comes around the counter to show the customer what she’s looking for, not without letting out a harsh sigh from the loss of her eye candy.  The books she’s been asked to look for are on the second level of the shop.

That means I’ll be left alone with Mr. Sports Fiction.  That’s never happened before.  Sandra has been here every other time.  A small smile pulls at my mouth but I quickly hide it away, try to busy myself with the computer, make it look like I’m actually working.

3:50

Shit, time sure flies.  I hate waiting for Fridays to come around again.  Sometimes, I hope that he’ll just randomly stop by, tell me he can’t take it anymore, that he needs to buy that book.  Of course, I would get it for him, place it into his large, strong hands, tell him to have a nice day.  Then he would pull me into Travel and Leisure, and do me against the bookcase, unbeknownst to the rest of the world.

In another lifetime, anyway.

“Excuse me.”

The music is blaring louder now, and I know...I know he must be right there in front of the counter.  I was looking at the computer screen for the past few moments, and I still am, but I know I need to snap out of it.  His earbuds are out now, hanging down around his neck, and he’s the one staring at me this time.  “Uh...hi...”
r32;

God, he’s anything but a faraway hottie.  He’s gorgeous up close.  Blue eyes that justpierce you, bury themselves deep into your soul you the moment you look into them, tear you all apart inside.  Right now they look a little tired, a little sad, and the stubble under his nose and around his jawline suggests he’s in the middle of twelve different things.  He’s got curly hair, really curly, light brown hair that looks like it’s about to puff out and look all crazy in a few minutes.  It’s this damn humidity.  I bet I could recommend something really great to tame his issue.

Great, now I’m going to be his beautician and his sex slave all in one.

“Do you think you might be able to uh...hold this one for me?”  He slides the book across the counter, and glances at his wristwatch.  It looks old, beat up.  The leather strap is worn and the glass face is a little scratched.  “I didn’t see anymore out there.”

“Um...yes...I can, I think.”

“You think?”

A small smile flashes at me.  It’s perfectly aligned, kind, makes his eyes and entire expression just light right up, forcing the sadness and fatigue away.  Then it all returns as quickly as it left.

It’s the type of expression my mother always gets on her face, when my father tells her he has to go out of town.

Something’s wrong, in his life, and maybe it’s the reason why he’s here every Friday.

But it’s none of my business.

“I mean....”  I take in a small breath and can feel the redness in my cheeks.  “Of course I can hold it.  I just wasn’t sure when you’d be back.”r32;

“Oh, next week, same time,” he nods.

“Sure...” I scramble for a hold form, my hands shaking, my heart beating furiously inside my chest.  I want to ask him everything, force him to tell me his life story right here and now.

3:57, the clock reads.

Crap.  Time’s almost up.

“I just need your name.”

“It’s Justin,” he says quickly.  “Is that all you need? I gotta run.”

He’s inching closer and closer to the door as I scrawl his name down on the slip.  “I...good.”

“Thanks.”

He’s gone in a flash.

Good.

Good?

Good!

Oh my God I’m an idiot.  I could have gotten his number, could have told him that he’s one of the most beautiful creatures I’ve ever laid my eyes on, and all I could say was Hi, Sure, and Good?

“Was he...did he just come up here?”

Sandra’s back, looking slightly disheveled and very disappointed.

“Yeah,” I laugh softly.  

“Well..what happened? Did you introduce yourself? Is he single? What’s he do?”

“I didn’t exactly...get much out of him.  He just wanted me to put this on hold for him until next week.”  I hold the book up, and force a smile.

“Tell me you got his number at least?”r32;
I shake my head.  “Just his first name.  It’s Justin.”

“You’re useless.  Really, Es.”

“I kind of froze...I don’t know...I didn’t know what to say.”

“You were supposed to either ask him out, or tell him you have somebody you want to set him up with.”

“Sandra.” I narrow my eyes.

“Well at least he’ll have a reason to come to the counter next week, and if a customer comes...you’re taking them.”

I sigh.  I expect that, but really, it’s better this way.  Sandra won’t have a reason to stalk him, and I won’t have another chance to embarrass myself in front of him.  I doubt I’m his type anyway.  I’m not outgoing like Sandra is, not as sexy or put together.  I’m a bookworm, and I doubt that’s him.  He probably plays baseball, since that’s what the book is about, or maybe football.  Probably has a pretty girlfriend and if he doesn’t, Sandra will do nicely.

But that doesn’t mean I’ll ever be able to stop staring at him.  

There’s just something about him.

Justin.

I smile.

Next week I’ll let him know that I have a first name too.

Two by ialwayzbesingin

“You’re a hundred short.”

“I know that.”

She lets out a disappointed sigh, and plops down across from me at the kitchen table.  “Well what am I supposed to tell them?”

“Can’t your folks spot it? Just this once?”

“No.”  Her eyes narrow and she sends me an angry glare.

I pinch the bridge of my nose, inhale and exhale, before I continue.  “I’ll get you the rest.  I’ll pick up a shift or call my folks, and give you extra next Friday.”

She shakes her head.  “They already told me, Justin.  They told me no more IOU’s.  What am I supposed to do if they won’t let him come back?  You know how important it is that he goes.”

“Da. Daa. Daaaaa.”

I pick him up and put him on my lap, smiling slightly, before kissing him on the cheek.  “There’s nothing I can do.  I didn’t get that much this week.  Overtime isn’t that easy to come by these days and I have my own bills to cover too.”

“He should come first.  I wish I could put him second but I’m saddled with him.”

“Saddled?” I scoff.  “Do you even know how hard I work so you don’t have to?  So you can go out and party with your fuckin’ girlfriends every weekend while I take care of him?”

“He screams and I don’t know what he needs, because I can’t talk to him!  Hell, if I could afford it, I’d ship him off to that boarding school myself!  But I can’t afford it, because I can’t get a real job, my family still won’t accept him, and you...you just...can’t amount to anything, can you Justin?  Working that stupid job, like you’re going places, while I just...suffer.  I’m tired.  I didn’t ask for this.  I don’t know how much longer I can do it.”  She puts her face in her hands and starts to sob.

Jesus.r32;


“Spare me.  You’ll do it, you’ll try, because it’s not his fault.  It’s ours.”

It takes her a minute to pick her head up and send me a hateful glare.  “You could have used a condom, idiot.  Then we wouldn’t have to worry about it.”

I laugh at her, put my son down, and get up.  “I’m not doing this tonight.  My week has been too long.  Is he ready?”

“His shit is by the door.”

“Then I’ll see you Sunday night.”

She doesn’t say anything, just turns her back on me.

“Tory, I know we’re not together, but we still need to be a team.  He needs us to be one.  If you’d just come to the classes with me...”

“I’m not taking a fucking class, Justin.  I need you to pay for the school, that’s all I ever asked you to do.”

I sigh.  “I’ll see you Sunday.”

She doesn’t say another word.  It pisses me off.  She doesn’t take it seriously, just expects me to handle it so her life can go on, unaffected.  If I didn’t have to work so much, I’d just take him off her hands, but I can’t do that.  I have no family here to help me, and her family, well, that’s another story.  

“Hey Ben.” I crouch down and smile at him as he stands in front of the TV, staring at the cartoons moving around on the screen intensely, and I know he’s trying to figure out what’s going on.  Poor kid.  “Hey.”  I tug on him gently, and eventually he looks at me, smiles, because he loves me.

“You hungry?” I sign out the words as I say them.  I’m getting pretty good at it.  That class is a godsend and I wish I would have started taking it sooner.

He smiles and nods his head rapidly.

“Let’s get a cheeseburger.” I stand up and take his hand that he’s extended out to me.  We walk out of the apartment, not looking back at the miserable woman we leave behind.

Weekends are the best part of everything.  Even though the weeks are hard, the work is grueling, I manage it all somehow for him.  I go to class religiously now, every Friday at two o’clock.  Then at three I get an hour, maybe a little less, to myself before I have to go pick up Ben.  Just to myself from about three fifteen to four o’clock.  It’s solitude, bliss.  Just me, my iPod, and a good book.  I cherish it, use the time to abuse a little bookstore a couple of blocks away from my class.  I never buy a thing, but the girls behind the counter don’t seem to mind.  They let me read for free, and I don’t think they realize how much of a blessing they’ve bestowed upon me.  I certainly don’t have money to be throwing away on a book.

One day though, I’ll be able to buy whatever I want, or so I hope.

My job isn’t shit, it’s just a lot of work for not a lot of pay.  I’m a mail room clerk at the Daily News, and sometimes I do work on the side for a few of the journalists upstairs.  I go over their articles before they submit them to the editor, for a small fee.  Most of the time, I get a smile and a big thank you from the parties involved.  Often, I’m asked why I never went to school for journalism, because I’m a good writer.

But I did go to school.  

Things just...didn’t turn out like they were supposed to.

I met Tory freshman year.  I had my whole life ahead of me, got a scholarship to NYU, left my family behind in Virginia to pursue a new life in New York City.  I was so determined then, convinced that I was going to graduate, go on to win a Pulitzer.

But all I really did was get my girlfriend pregnant, and ruin my chances at a bright, rich future.

Of course, I don’t blame Ben.  I love him more than anything else in this world.  He was just a little unexpected and...the rest of it...the rest of it was really unexpected.  But I’m a smart guy.  I’ve been determined to cope with this thing for the last couple of years, now that Ben is older...now that I understand things better.  I’m doing it.  I have to, because Tory refuses.  I know I’ll make it.

Tory isn’t one to go out of her way.  She would have been fine with raising a normal, healthy child, but not one like Ben.  She has no patience, has no interest in learning to cope with his disability.  It’s too much for her.  I guess...I guess she’s too young.  So am I, but I was raised differently.  My family owns a farm and I grew up with a strong work ethic and compassion for others instilled in me by my parents.

Ben is completely deaf, and has been that way since he was born.  It’s not the end of the world, but it might as well be to her.  She claims she has no time to learn how to sign, but I know that it’s a bunch of shit.  She’s just lazy, and   I guess...angry, that she’s had to sacrifice her social life for a kid with special needs.  We’ve agreed he can’t be left with a sitter.  It wouldn’t be fair to Ben.  He’s scared of strangers.  He can’t communicate with them that well.  That’s what the school is for.  It’s one of the best in the country, but it comes with a hefty price tag.  Of course, in the beginning, before he was born, I told her she had a choice, but she was naive then.  She thought having a kid would be fine, that we’d work it out.  We were together then.

But our relationship quickly fell apart six months after Ben was born.  We both knew he was different, although we weren’t sure why at first.  It put a strain on us that we never came back from.

When they told us what was wrong, I think that’s when things took a drastic turn.  She wasn’t the same, she was making me fucking miserable and her family was too.  They’re rich socialites, who resent me for ‘ruining’ their daughters future.  They refuse to help pay for Ben’s expensive school, and actually, they practically refuse to accept him at all.  My family is a lot different.  They love Ben, send me money when they can, and would love to help out more, but they’re far away, and I’m determined to make things work here in New York, move my way up at the paper and get a real position one day.  Go back to school when I have the money and get my degree finally.

Things are just...slow right now, that’s all.

I take my son down to a diner close by my apartment.  It’s routine.  We’re here every Friday night by six, the latest.  Ruth, an elderly waitress, approaches our booth once we’re seated and smiles down on us.

“Hello, dear,” she says with a bright smile.  “How’s your week?”

“Could be better,” I smile up at her.  “But it could be worse too.”

She nods, her eyes telling me she feels sorry for me, but she’d never say the words.  “And how is Big Ben?” She smiles, ruffles his hair, and gets a smile out of him.  “He’s getting so big.”

“I know.  Five going on twenty five,” I smirk.  “We’ll take the usual, plus a chocolate shake.”

“You got it.”  She winks, as usual, and walks away to get our order.

Ben busies himself by playing with a toy car up on the windowsill and I take the opportunity to pull out an article somebody gave me to edit, and work on that for a few minutes.  I can’t stay focused on it though.  Too much is on my mind, and I’m too tired.  I know what I really need is a good nights sleep.  I don’t sleep well though.  I’m too worried about how I’m going to pay for everything, how I’m going to continue to better my life and my sons life, and deal with Tory and her shit every single week.

It’s enough to drive me insane.

Then I look at my son, and everything seems to just...make sense again.

“Here we go.”  Ruth comes back then, and plants all of the food in front of us.  Ben’s cheeseburger and fries are made up the way he loves, a ketchup smile face and french fries made up to look like hair.  He giggles in that muffled way he does, and it gets me to smile.  

“Thanks.” I give her a grateful smile as she splits up the shake between me and my son.  She rubs my shoulder consolingly, the way only a mother can, and I’m sure she has a few grandkids of her own.  In a way, she reminds me of Gram, and I wish she were here.  I know if she were, things would be a hell of a lot easier.

But she’s not here.

My family has begged me to move home, they tell me that they can take care of us both, but the thing about that is, I know Tory would never let it happen.  Not because of her love for Ben, but because she’s been determined to make my life miserable ever since we found out that our son was deaf.

It’s like she blames me.

And maybe, if I’d been a little smarter, thought about the future, none of it would have happened.  At times, I think...maybe she’s right.  Maybe everything is all my fault.  I didn’t think and now Ben is paying the consequences.

But if I had used my head, I wouldn’t have him at all, and to be honest, if I could go back in time, I’d still make the same choices, because Ben isn’t a regret, or a mistake, or a burden.

He’s my life, and he always will be.

Three by ialwayzbesingin

“Manhattan Public is having a girl go out on maternity leave.” I smile brightly, and take a sip of my coffee.  “They say that they’re considering me and a few other people to fill the spot, and that it might be a permanent one.  They’re not sure if this girl is coming back or not.”

“Well praise the lord,” Sandra snorts.  “It’s about time.  What do you have to do to convince them to hire you? Get in somebodies pants?”

I laugh a little.  “Not quite, no.  They’ll hire whoever they feel is the best qualified.  It’s just entry level anyway, but the pay is twice what I make here.”

“I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you.  One of us should escape this place if we can.”

“Can’t you two find something to do?” Maude scowls from the top of the staircase.  “Other than socialize, I mean?  Fill the bags, organize the shelves.  I don’t pay you girls to stand around all day.”

“She’s on the warrr-path,” Sandra sings, with a roll of her eyes, and ventures out from behind the counter.

At least it’s Friday.  It gets me to smile, as I plop a fresh box of plastic shopping bags on the counter and begin to fill the bin underneath the register.  I eye the shelf behind me as I do it, ensuring the book with the blue cover is still there.  Of course it is.  It’s only the tenth time I’ve checked today.  

Mr. Sports...I mean, Justin...he’ll be here in about an hour.

I can’t wait.  I can hardly contain myself, and I’m praying Maude decides to get out of here before he comes in.  I know if she catches him in here reading and not buying, she’ll chew him out, he’ll leave, and possibly find another place to hang out on Friday afternoons.

Although, if I get this job at the library, I won’t be here on Fridays to stare at him anymore.  But I guess putting my college degree to some good use is more important.

My heart though, it’s telling me to stay here, just for the sake of him.

Every day, when I think about him in the middle of the afternoon for no good reason at all, I get this funny feeling.  A feeling inside of me that’s so strong, telling me to take a chance, to introduce myself, not to miss out...because he might be special.  Different.

I don’t get it, so I chose to ignore the feeling all week.  But now it’s Friday, and I have an hour to prepare for him to walk right in here and out again without embarrassing myself.  I doubt I can do it.  I’ll probably stutter and get all red in the face like last week.

“Hold down the fort,” Maude mutters at ten to three.  “I’m going for a bite.”

“Will do,” Sandra calls to her with a smile as she pretends to dust the tops of the books on the shelves.

Maude just glares, and the bell tinkles when she opens the door.  She holds it open, and smiles tightly for the customer about to enter.

I know who it is before he’s even in the store. I motion to Sandra, and she gets it right away.

The music is blaring from his earbuds as normal, but today he stops at the counter, pulls them out, and smirks quickly at me.  I hate to say it, but he looks more worn out than he did last week.  His eyes are a little bloodshot, and there are the beginnings of those dark circles around them that you can only get when you’re exhausted.

He doesn’t deserve it.  I mean, I don’t know him, but I get that vibe.  Something is telling me that he’s a good person, and should have it easier, but he doesn’t.

“Welcome to Bronson’s,” Sandra says, sauntering up to him.  “How can I be of...service?” She smiles.

Oh God.

Justin eyes her quickly, and then looks back at me with a desperate gaze.  “I think I put...a book on hold.  Last week.”

“You did.” I blurt out, feeling my eyes grow wide as I say the words.  “Do you...do you want it?”

“If it’s okay with you.” He says it very slowly, looking at me, then at Sandra, then back again.  It’s obvious he’s confused as to why we’re paying so much attention to him when we both know damn well he never buys anything when he comes here.  

I pull the book into my hands, and turn back to him.  Sandra is practically groping him by this point.  Her hand is on his shoulder and she’s attempting to make small talk with him, but it’s obvious by the look on his face that he wants nothing to do with her advances.  

Geez.  It’s like he really does just want to come here and read.

This would seem weird to most, but not to me.  I’m obsessed with books.  If I could, I’d spend all my time reading, but then I’d be broke, and homeless.

“I’ll just take the book.”  He steps away from Sandra finally, and flashes her a tight smile.  “I’ll even buy it.”

My eyes widen as I slide it across the counter.  “Buy it?”

He pulls out his wallet and smiles casually.  “Yeah, it’s about time, don’t you think?”

“We don’t mind if you read it here,” Sandra says with a smile.  “You can stay as long as you want, honey.”

I narrow my eyes at her and shake my head.  She stares at me, pouts, but seems to get it.  

“I’ll just...go dust something,” she says gently, and walks away from us.

We’re alone, again, and this time, we have more than just a few minutes.  It’s obvious we’ve scared him off, but it was bound to happen.  He has to understand though, that this is a tired old bookstore.  The only men that come through here are beyond their fifties and on viagra.  “Sorry about...that,” I manage a smile as I begin to ring up the book.

He shrugs.  “It’s fine.  I know you two have been staring at me for months.  I just figured it was better to pretend I didn’t notice.  Money’s been kind of tight, so...thanks for letting me get away with the reading.”

My jaw hangs open for several minutes.  He knew? Wait...of course he knew.  How could he not?  Still, I feel my face burning with intense embarrassment.  “Thirteen fifty,” I croak.

He hands me a twenty.  “Please don’t be embarrassed,” he laughs.  “It was actually kind of cute.  Nobody has ever taken that much of an interest in me before.”

I just nod. I swear, I’ll never live this down.  If I felt I was pathetic before, it’s nothing compared to how I feel right now.  I put the book in a bag.  “Thank you for shopping with us.  Come again.”

He laughs at me, and clutches the bag in his right hand.  Now he’s staring at me again, like he did last week only now...he’s smiling instead of frowning.  “Maybe you can help me with something else, since I have your undivided attention.”

I swallow.  “Maybe.”

“Do you have any books about sign language?”

“A whole section.” I say, in disbelief.  Of all the things...

“Would you mind showing me...uh...” He leans in and peers at my name badge.  “Esmerelda, wow, that’s different.  Family name?”

“My mom went through a victorian romance novel phase while she was pregnant with me.  She named me after her favorite character.”

He chuckles.  “Seriously?”

I frown.  It’s the first time I’ve actually been able to hold some kind of conversation with the guy, and all I’ve told him is the embarrassing story of how I got my first name.  “Seriously.  So do you want to see the books?”

“Yeah, please.  I promise, I plan on buying something.”

The section is upstairs, in the back.  Secluded.  God.  Oh God.  I step out from behind the counter and stand beside him for a moment.  As if it wasn’t bad enough that he’s so incredibly handsome, he smells amazing too.  “It’s upstairs.”  I glance at Sandra.  She may as well be holding pom poms because she has a fist raised in the air, telling me to go for it.

Justin notices that I’m staring behind him, and glances back over his shoulder, but Sandra pretends to go back to her dusting before he can catch her.

“It’s this way.”  I say it quietly, as I move past him and start up the stairs.  I hear him following behind me, his breath in my ear.  He’s so close, and I feel like I might just fall apart on the staircase, but somehow I manage to get myself to the upper level of the book shop.  I take a minute, collect myself, before moving forward and guiding him towards the back of the department where Maude houses the Braille and other special needs literature.  “Something particular you need?” I say, as I point towards the appropriate shelves.  “A certain title?”

“Well...” He trails off and surveys the selection.  “This one, I’ve heard about.”  He pulls out The American Sign Language Dictionary, and begins to thumb through it.  “I can take this and, on the off chance you have anything for kids.  Any type of story books that use sign.”

It’s cute.  He must know somebody who has a deaf son or daughter and is trying to do something nice for them.  Or maybe, he’s a teacher.  God, a special education teacher.  That makes him even hotter.  Helping the community, like I help the senior citizens.  Maybe we have more in common than I thought.

Although, something inside is telling me his life might be a little more complicated than that.

“Here’s some.”  I crouch down and pull out a special edition of Corduroy and one other Curious George title.  “Is this the right age level?  We might have more...”

He crouches down beside me, and when I look at him, I see that smile again.  The one he rarely shows.  It’s the biggest I’ve seen, and when he opens it up and thumbs through, it grows even wider.  It means a lot to him, this stuff.  I know that now.

“This is great,” he says, almost in disbelief.  “I mean, I figured they had stuff like this but I never would have thought to look for it.  I read to him, but he doesn’t understand.  Now he will, so thanks.”

We both rise up from the floor at the same time.  “Glad to help.  Who is it for...a student or something?  Do you teach?”

He laughs a little, and presses his lips together before looking down at the floor.

Did I say something wrong?

“No, I don’t teach,” he says after a moment, looking up at me again.  “My son is deaf.”

“Oh...”

Idiot.  Way to pry into the guys life.

Guess he’s not single after all, but really, why would he be?  Look at the guy.

“It’s fine,” he smiles.  “It’s not a big secret or anything.”  He glances at his watch suddenly, like he usually does when he’s here.  “Anyway, I better get going.  He’s waiting on me.”

“Oh...yeah...right.” I laugh stupidly.  “Sorry.”

I lead us back down the stairs, and my eyes widen when I find Sandra standing there, her attempts at eavesdropping on our conversation more than obvious.  I motion for her to get out of the way before Justin can see her, and she does it.

“Thanks again for everything,” he tells me, as I finish ringing up the rest of his purchase for him.  “Ben and I are eternally grateful.”

“Anytime.”

“Maybe I’ll see you next week?  Same time.”

“I should be here.”

“Cool.  See you around.”

He walks out, and all I can do is stare after him.

“Is it just me, or was he like, totally into you, Esme?”

I roll my eyes and go back to bag filling.  “He’s just a nice guy.  He’s not single anyway.  He has a son.”

“Just because he has a son doesn’t mean he’s taken.”

“Come on.”  I narrow my eyes.  “If you had a son with a man like that would you let him go?”

“No way, but you don’t know the circumstances.  I say you should pry into it more next week.”

“No.  No way.  That’s intrusive.  You saw how freaked he got when you decided to be little miss flirt.”

She shrugs.  “It was innocent fun.  It’s obvious he hasn’t had any in a long time.  That right there should prove that he’s not with anybody.”

“His son is deaf,” I tell her, even though I shouldn’t have.  “Maybe they don’t have time for that.”

“There’s always time for sex, honey.”  She comes back behind the counter.  “Trust me, he’s not with anybody, and if he is, the relationship is on the outs.  Pursue it, before you get that fancy job and never see him again.”r32;

“I don’t even know him.  I can’t just go after him.  I’m not like you.”

“He doesn’t want somebody like me.” She puts a hand on my shoulder.  “He’s different, not my type.  He’s got that bookworm, intellectual shit going on, just like you do.”

“Is that a bad thing?”

“No honey...just not for me.” She smiles.  “Take my advice.  Next Friday...the two of you should go off and have a coffee.  I’ll cover for you.”

“I don’t know...”r32;
“Well I’m not giving you a choice.”

“Really,” I smirk.  

“I can embarrass the hell out of you. Don’t forget that,” she reminds me.  “I know all kinds of crazy shit about you.”

I let out a long breath.  I know she’s right and I know she’ll do it.  The last thing I want is to be humiliated in front of the guy again.

I guess I don’t have a choice, but at the same time, I don’t think I’m Justin’s type either, even if Sandra, relationship guru, is convinced otherwise.

Four by ialwayzbesingin
“Gone?”

“Yeah.  Back to her folks.”

Ben whimpers because he’s cold and I hold him closer to my chest, pull the towel snug around his little body and kiss his forehead, adjusting the phone against my ear so it doesn’t fall.

“Honey, I want you to come home.  This has gone on long enough.  We’re all ready to help.  You know that.”

I sigh, close my eyes.  I don’t want to.  I know I don’t.  I want to make things work here, so my dream of being a journalist can come true.  But I don’t think I have that option anymore.  Moving home might be my only option now, because Tory has washed her hands of the two of us, moved back in with her parents under the strict circumstance that Ben and I won’t be a part of her life anymore.  I found out the hard way, after the bookstore, Friday.  I took the subway to her place, like I always did, but when I got there, I found Ben sitting with a young girl from a few apartments over and she seemed more than thankful to be rid of him, said she’d been stuck with him since the night before.  I gave her a twenty, thanked her, but she didn’t return it.  She just walked away.

Naturally, Ben was screaming, freaked out from being left with a stranger overnight and most of the following day.  It took me forty five minutes to calm him down before I could even open the letter Tory left behind, and even then, it was only because he’d fallen asleep.  I wanted to get him out of there as soon as I could, but I had to pack him up, had to get things in order.  Had to find out why Tory thought the best solution was to walk away from him without giving me a call first.

I tore open the letter, my heart racing, the tears threatening to spill out of my eyes.  I was furious with her, and I was on the brink of my sanity.  I didn’t know what I was supposed to do without her.  She was Ben’s childcare Monday through Friday.  I knew I couldn’t afford day care, and without that...there was no way I could continue to work at the News.

The words you’re screwed, replayed themselves in my mind.

Justin,

My parents have agreed to give me a second chance.  One without Ben, and it’s the only option they’re giving me.  I never intended on abandoning him, but I don’t understand him, and honestly, I don’t have the time or the patience to learn how to take care of him.  You’ve always been good at that, and so, I know this is the right choice for all of us.  I know you can take care of him.  My father is getting a lawyer.  I’m forfeiting all rights to Ben, and leaving you sole custody.  You should get those papers in a week or so.  Please don’t come looking for me, please don’t call, and please don’t harass my parents.  This is the way things have to be, and I’m sorry.  I’m sorry I couldn’t be a better mother for him.

I know you’ll do the best you can.

Tory

That was it.  She was sorry.  She knew I’d do the best I could. She didn’t give a shit and she never had.  I crumpled the letter, swore, and threw it across the room before I remembered my son was still there.  He was awake then, staring at me, in tears, obviously scared.  I tried not to do things like that in front of him if I could help it.  I signed out an ‘I’m sorry’, and he seemed to accept that.  Then I packed up his essentials, and took him back to my apartment.

I haven’t looked back, and I haven’t been to work, since.  

It’s been two weeks.  My rent is overdue, I haven’t paid the bills this month so Ben could continue to go to school on whatever money I had left in my checking account.  My basic cable is shut down, and the electric company called, told me I need to give them something in a week unless I want to be in the dark.

I’m desperate.  I have no idea what I can do, other than go home.  Today is the day that I broke down and called my mother.  I never do, if I can help it.  I don’t like asking my parents for help.  I’m one of six kids, the oldest, and my youngest brother and sister are still in high school.  They have enough to worry about, saving for their college tuition, and so, I usually keep to myself unless I’m extremely desperate.

This would count as one of those times.

“I want to make things work here,” I say, softly.  “I really do, mom.”

“I know you do.  But you have to think about what’s best for Ben.  You can’t afford those expensive day cares in the city, darling.  I know you can’t.  Please, just consider coming home.  We’ll get you both plane tickets.  Your father says you can come work for him.”

I sigh, pull Ben closer to me and rock him slightly as he stares at the wall.  “I guess I’ll consider it.”

“We can spare a couple of hundred dollars,” she tells me.  “What can I pay for in the meantime?”

I press my lips together.  I’m thankful, but I feel terrible accepting it from her.  “The electric.”

“I’ll call the payment in for you.”

“Thanks, ma.”

“All my love baby.”

“Bye.”  I hang up, put the phone down on the edge of the tub, and sigh.

“Da.”  Ben points to his mouth, signs ‘I’m hungry’, and it gets me to smile for him.

“Clothes first.” I say and sign,before hoisting him up in my arms and pushing myself to my feet again.  I carry him into the bedroom, which is also mine, because there’s only one, and I help him get some clothes on.  Then I brush his hair, and get his velcro sneakers on before taking him by the hand and leading him out of the apartment.

Sure, I’m broke, but I can’t resist taking him to the diner for his favorite cheeseburger.  I won’t eat, but at least he will.

“Justin you look terrible.”  Ruth huffs when we get seated in the booth.  “What’s going on with you?”

I smirk at her.  “Nothin...just tired.”

She narrows her eyes at me.  I can’t get anything past her.  She’s a mother.  She knows a lie when she sees one.  “Tell me.”

I stare at Ben, happily playing with the action figure he chose to take with him, oblivious to the issues I’m having.  Sometimes, I’m grateful that he can’t hear anything.  It shields him from more than he’ll ever know.  “Tory left...I have to work, but I have nobody to watch him, so I can’t.  He has school, but his sessions end at eleven.  The News needs me until five except on Fridays when they let me out at one. I think I have move back home.”

“Oh, dear.”  She sighs, and sinks down beside me in the booth, putting that consoling hand on my shoulder that I’ve come to treasure so much over the couple of years I’ve been coming to this place.  “I’m so sorry to hear that.”

I nod, and suck in a breath.  “We’ll be okay.  My family is great...they just live in the sticks.  There’s no opportunity to be a journalist there unless you want to write the Farmers Almanac.”  I try to smile but I fail, feel a tear on my face, and rub it away harshly.

I can’t let my boy see me cry.

“Maybe just move back for a year, save some money, and then come back.”

I shake my head.  “I can’t.  If I move there, it’ll be for good.  I can’t move Ben back and forth like that, and I doubt my parents would appreciate it.  They didn’t want me to stay after he was born, but I was determined to make things work.”

“I can ask my granddaughter if she’d like to watch him a few days a week,” she suggests with a smile.  “She loves children.”

“Ben doesn’t do well with most strangers.  I really appreciate it though,” I nod.  “Maybe it’s for the best.  He’ll be with my family, they love him, and the school for the deaf in Virginia is a lot less expensive than it is here.”

She sighs.  “I understand, dear.”

I just smirk, and look down at the placemat, wishing like hell that I wasn’t so helpless.  Then I just...break down.  I hate myself for it, but I’ve been on the brink of this for a long time, and Ruth...she’s like family.  She’s the only person I’ve ever opened up to besides Tory since Ben was born.  The only person I consider a friend, mostly.

Although, I’d love to get to know Esmerelda at the book store a little more.

I barely have time to think about anything besides Ben lately, but sometimes, at night, when he’s asleep and I have a few minutes to myself, my mind drifts to her.  To her long blonde hair, those green eyes, and that quiet, sneaky little demeanor of hers.  Of course I always knew she stared at me when I went into the store, but I’m sure she didn’t know that whenever a customer would distract her, I would take the opportunity to stare at her.

I think if my life wasn’t so complicated, I might be able to ask her out to dinner.

I think I should at least say goodbye, if nothing else.

“Shh, honey.”  She rubs my back gently, and kisses my cheek like my Gram used to when she was alive.  “Things will work out for the best.  They always do, in the end.”

I nod, and sniffle, rub my face with my hands.  When I clear my vision, I find that Ben is staring at me, his expression perplexed, because he doesn’t understand why I’m so upset.  “Can you get him a cheeseburger the way he likes?” I whimper.  “Nothing for me.”

“I’ll get you both something,” she winks.

“I can’t...”

“You hush.”  She gets up and give me a scolding look.

It’s the only thing that makes my emotions ease up a little.  At least somebody here cares about us.  

I’ll miss her.

“Do you want to go stay with Grandma?” I say and sign it to Ben, who seems to light up at this.  He doesn’t get to see her much, but I can tell how close they are when she’s able to visit.  

“Yes, when?” He signs, excitedly.

I smile sadly.  “Soon.”
Five by ialwayzbesingin
“It’s so exciting.” Sandra smiles.  “I’m so happy for you.  You’re finally getting out of this dump.”

It’s bittersweet.  While she’s excited that I’m moving up in the world, she knows what this means.  It means I won’t be here to gossip with her for eight hours a day anymore.  It means she’ll be left alone with Maude from now on, until she decides to hire somebody else to take my place.

While we’ve never admitted it to each other, I know we’ve become the very best of friends over the past couple of years.

I don’t usually make friends, either, and it’s probably why I feel so damn...sad.

It’s Friday.  The last one I’ll be working in the shop.  On Monday I’ll start my new position at Manhattan Public Library, as a true librarian.  I’ll also be in charge of the senior book club there, so they say.  They’ve heard about the work I do at the Senior Center, and they want me to implement that with their senior members.  I’ll assemble book clubs based on individual interest, hold luncheons for them, and bake sales, things like that.  I’m such a dork, but I’m so excited about it.  Those are the things I love to do, help people, make them feel a little bit special.

Maybe it’s because nobody makes me feel special in my personal life.  But I don’t have time for dating anymore.  I’m too busy.

It’s been three weeks now, and Justin hasn’t shown his face in the book shop.  I’d be concerned, but honestly, I don’t know him like that.  Sandra says he probably changed his plans, or maybe his son started doing something new.  “That’s what kids do, change your schedule,” she told me.  “My sister complains about hers all the time.”

It’s still disappointing though, the thought that I’ll never get a chance to talk to him again.  Of course, Sandra has reassured me that if he happens to show up, she’ll forward on my info so he can find me.  I tell her she’s nuts, that he doesn’t care and he never has.  He gave me something to look forward to at the end of every week, but once I talked to him, I realized he had a lot more going on in his personal life than I thought, and there was no room in it for a silly woman who liked to stare at him every Friday afternoon.

The bell tinkles.

I look up at the clock.

Three fifteen on the dot and I didn’t even realize.  But he’s there, walking casually through the door, like he hasn’t been gone for three weeks.  The music isn’t blaring like normal though.  No earbuds today.  He’s clutching a small boy by the hand instead, and staring at me, like he came down here just to see me.

Sandra nudges me, and I glare at her.

“Hey.”  Justin smiles a little and approaches the counter.  

“H-hey.” I smile for him, genuinely, and look at the boy he’s holding by the hand.  It must be his son.  They have the same eyes, same curly light brown hair.  He’s truly adorable.  “Is this your son?”

“Yeah...Ben.”  He looks down at him, and lets go of his hand, starts to sign to him.  I read it as, ‘can you say hello?’

I took the course in college.  I figured it could only help to learn, because deaf people frequent libraries just as much as anybody else, and I wanted to be able to help.  I did well in the course, and I’m still fluent in sign even now.  I use it often at the senior center.  It’s helpful to some of them, that have lost almost all of their hearing.  

Ben smiles a little, doesn’t quite meet my gaze as he signs out ‘hello it’s nice to meet you’.  He’s shy, that’s obvious.  I come around the counter, and smile down at him as I sign out ‘it’s nice to meet you Ben.’

The little boy smiles at me, not expecting to get that kind of response.

Justin stares at me, like he doesn’t know what to think.  Obviously, I neglected to tell him I knew sign language, but I guess I was too...overpowered by the impure thoughts I was having about him here in the shop three weeks ago to bother then.

“You sign?”

“Yeah I...took the course when I was college,” I nod and lick my lips.  “I wanted to implement it with my Library Science degree.”

“She’s just all around amazing, isn’t she?” Sandra speaks up.  “Our little genius.”

“...yeah,” Justin nods.  “Well I just...I was around so I thought I’d bring him by to thank you for the books.  They’ve been great.”

“No problem.”

“Esme is leaving us,” Sandra speaks up before I can shut her up.  “If you want more help you’ll have to consult the Manhattan Public Library.”

“Really,” he smiles.  “Librarian Esmerelda?”

“That’s me.” I roll my eyes.  

“Better than a dust bin like this, for sure,” he says, not without regret in his voice.  

“Yeah.”

Awkward silence ensues, and soon enough, I realize that Sandra has left us by ourselves.

“I’m probably pathetic but I also came to say goodbye,” he tells me gently.  “I know I don’t know you but...I don’t have any friends here, really.  Coming here for a couple of months and reading for an hour every Friday was a huge vice for me.  I really appreciate it.”

“You appreciate me staring at you?” I say, stupidly.

He laughs and shrugs.  “I guess so, yeah.  My mom always told me my good looks might get me somewhere one day.”

“Good looks, huh?”

He blushes.  “Well, I’m just messing around.”

I nod.  “Right.  Where...where are you going?”

“We’re moving back to my hometown,” he tells me.  “Things aren’t working out, so my parents are taking us in for a bit.”

“Oh.” My small smile vanishes to nothing in seconds.  “Where’s home?”

“Virginia.  My parents own a farm out in the sticks.  The town is called Wytheville.  I’ll get to ride a tractor, and shovel horse manure.  It’s been my life’s ambition.” He rolls his eyes.  “My father is ecstatic that I’m finally taking part in the family tradition, me...not so much, but Ben will be better off for it.”

I stare at him, press my lips together.  Somewhere, deep inside of me, a voice is crying out to me, telling me to stop him from leaving.  That he can’t leave because...because I haven’t been able to have dinner with him yet.  That it’s not fair.

Christ.

“What were you trying to do in the city?”

“I was going to school for journalism five years ago, but I sort of...got carried away with the wrong girl.”  He looks at his son, and smiles.  “I got the best part of her though, I just couldn’t afford to go to school and provide for him at the same time, so I started working instead.”

“Where is she...” I trail off.  “I’m sorry, it’s none of my business.”

He stares at me for a while, trying to read me, find out if it’s safe to talk to me.  “It’s not a big deal, I can tell you.  She’s gone.  Done with us.  I should have seen it coming.  I guess I’m just thankful I have a supportive family to go back to. Otherwise, I don’t know what we’d do.”

I nod.  It’s a lot to take in.  He’s young.  My age.  He shouldn’t have the burdens of a single father.  Shouldn’t have to kill his dreams because she decided to run out on them.  It’s not fair.  I can see something in him.  Something good, that hasn’t been allowed to grow to its full potential.  

I want to help him.

I wish I could.

The bell tinkles.  Customers.

“Excuse me, I have an order...Living with Sexual Disorder.”

Justin stares at me, stifling his laughter, and I have to do the same.  “Yes I have it, one second.”  I walk down to the end of the counter for the hold, and when I look up, I find that Justin has followed me.  

“You busy tonight?”

I stare into his eyes, wait for him to say, ‘just kidding’ but he never does.

Is he...is he trying to ask me out?

God.  Mr. Sports Fiction himself.  Somebody I’ve only dreamed about being alone with for months, and now that I’m getting my chance, I know he’ll just be gone in a week or less.  Not fair.  Not at all, fate.

I’m so angry with you.

“I...no...”

“You want to come to my place for dinner?  I’m making meatloaf, mmm mm good.”

I stare at him, in disbelief.

“Miss? Is my book there?”

“Yes...yes right here.” I grab it, without giving Justin an answer, and go to ring up the customer.

He doesn’t leave though.  He’s waiting for me to give him an answer.

“What do you say?” He pushes, when the customer exits.  

“Why?”

He laughs at me.  Really laughs, out loud, eyes closed, belly rumbling.  “You’re not the only one who was staring, you know.  If I have to move, I’d like to at least get one dinner with you before I do it.  You’re not like most women.  You seem different, and I like that.”

Now I’m just floored, and when I look toward the back of the shop, I see Sandra standing there, the duster at the floor by her feet, mouth hanging open, because she obviously heard what he said, and is about to have a cardiac.

“Only if it’s okay with Ben,” I whisper.  

He smirks and looks at his son, signs out ‘should we have her over for dinner?’

Ben looks at me, questioning me with his blue eyes for several moments before smiling and agreeing.  ‘Please come’ he signs.  

I guess I don’t have a choice now.

“Sure, I’ll be there.”

“Great.”  He flashes me that rare smile, and scribbles down his address.  “Is seven okay?”

I just nod and take the slip of paper from him.

“It’s a date, then.  We’ll see you tonight.”

Ben waves goodbye, and then they walk out of the shop together, back into the hustle and bustle of New York City.

“You need an outfit.” Sandra says, breathlessly, running back over to the counter.  “Something...”

“It’s just meatloaf,” I say, trying to contain my excitement.

“Jesus Christ, Es, he’s the hottest guy that’s come around here in forever and he’s into you. You need an outfit.  Maybe you can give him a reason to stay.”

Yeah, right, I think.  Nobody like that is going to stick around for me, especially when there is a child involved.

But something inside just won’t let me give up.  Not yet.

“I need an outfit,” I agree.

“Well, you've come to the right place.” Sandra smiles.

I’m not so sure, though, knowing her taste in clothing.
Six by ialwayzbesingin

Inviting her here tonight was random, very unlike me.  Since Tory and I split five years ago, I’ve had exactly three dates, all of which went very badly.  In fact, I know how bad tonight could go too, so I’ve decided to keep things simple, basic.  I’m leaving the end of next week, and can’t afford any regrets.  I should have called her, told her this whole thing was a bad idea, that I can’t afford to get close to anybody right now.

But as many times as I picked up the phone to call the store, I just couldn’t do it.  Something wouldn’t let me.

I guess it’s because I like her.  I can’t help myself, can’t shake the feeling off.  Something just hit me, the very first time I laid eyes on her.  It was a sign, telling me that it was okay to lose myself in her every Friday afternoon.  That it was safe, because she was different.

It’s the only reason I’ve decided to go through with tonight, because I can see us being friends, if nothing else.  

It would be nice to have an email friend, outside of the dozens of people awaiting me back home.  There’s my family of course, but then there’s all my friends too.  There’s a whole group of us, eight in total.  Out of everybody, I’m the only one who got out of Wytheville and tried to make something out of himself.  The rest of the them went to state college, and most of them work on their families farm now, or in town.  I know they’re excited to see me, especially Lacey.  She’s gotta understand though, that what we had was a high school romance and nothing more.

But I guess you never forget the first person you ever loved, and I admit, I still think about her every now and then.  She’s been engaged twice since she graduated college, and for some reason those relationships never worked out for her.

I guess we have that one thing in common.  We suck at holding a relationship together.

Our families are close.  I wonder how long it will take before they’ll all start plotting to get us back together.

I’m going to run and hide the minute that starts happening.  I have no interest in her.  None.

This is about Ben, after all.  I’m making this move for him.  There’s no room for a relationship.  I’m going to concentrate all of my efforts on working hard, saving money, so we can get back on our feet.  Maybe, one day, we’ll be able to get a place of our own, and I won’t have to break my back doing farm work forever.

My father and I have always had a good relationship, but he’s a lot different when it comes to working for him, even if I am his son.  I already know how it’s going to work.  He’ll let me settle in for a few days, get Ben situated, but after that he’ll expect me to get up at 4:30 every morning to start work.  We spoke on the phone briefly the day after I broke down and called my mom.  He says he wants me to do the tractor runs in the fields after the morning routine.  That means six or seven hours in the hot sun, every day over the summer, on a hot piece of machinery, with nobody to talk to.  It’s one of the things I hated the most when I was in high school, and he’s forcing me into it again because he knows I don’t have a choice.  Arguing would only force him to point out that he’s doing me a favor.

I’ll just have to suck it up, for the good of my son.

“Da...da-ad.”

They’ve been helping him with some of his words at school.  I’m concerned at the new school they won’t work as well with him.  He’ll go back to incomplete phrases and babbled mumblings that nobody can understand.  I don’t let it show on my face though.  Since my breakdown at the diner, I’ve forced myself to get it together, to be stronger for my son.  I smile and pull him into my arms when he runs up to me with that proud smile of his, not hesitating to kiss him on the forehead and cheek.  

Then the doorbuzzer goes off, telling me there’s somebody downstairs waiting to be let up by me.

It’s gotta be her.

I put my son down, and sign out ‘our guest is here.’  He gets excited, goes to his chair at the table and patiently waits for dinner to begin.  It’s new and different for him, because we never have company over here.  It’s good that I’m doing it.  It will get him used to life in Wytheville, where there are always people coming and going from the house.  

“Hello?” I call through the intercom.

“Is this Justin? I don’t know if I have the right apartment.”

I laugh.  “No, I’m the serial killer a floor down.  Come on up.”

I hear her giggle as I buzz her in, and a few minutes later she’s knocking on my door.

When I open it, I see a woman I barely recognize.  She’s not in her usual get up.  I’ve always seen her in jeans and a casual top.  Tonight she’s in a skirt and a cute little tank.  She’s curled her usually straight, ponytailed hair.

And she looks amazing, even though I can’t tell her that.

“Hi.”  

I’m sure my expression is giving those feelings away.  I feel the color in my cheeks, and I can’t seem to stop staring.

“Hey.”  

We stand there for a moment, smiling stupidly at each other.  This feeling rushes through me, telling me that...that this is right.  That she’s right.

But I can’t stay here.  Ben has to come first.

“Sorry, come on in.” I laugh slightly and step aside, allowing her into the apartment.  “It’s not much.”

She looks around the studio quickly, before spotting my son sitting at the small dinner table, and signs out a hello to him.  “It’s good enough for what it is, Justin.  You don’t need to impress me.”

I just shrug.  “Must be those instincts that my parents drilled into me.  My father always says, if you don’t think your place is suitable for a lady, man up and take her out.”

I sound like a doofus.

“Sounds like a good guy.”  She takes a seat at the table next to my son.  “But in this city, you’re lucky to be able to afford rent at all.”

“You’re right.”  I nod and go over to the counter, so I can fix her a plate.  “Ben already ate, he’ll go down soon, but I waited for you.”

“Well thank you,” she laughs.  

I smile slightly at her when I finish putting together the two dinner plates, and carry them over to the table, placing one in front of her.  “All I have is water.  Sorry.”

“That’s fine.”

I pour us both glasses from the pitcher in the fridge, and finally, get a couple of cookies from the small jar and give them to Ben for his dessert before presenting her with her glass of water.  We all eat in silence for several moments.  Well, it’s more like I’m watching her eat.  Watching as her tongue glides over her lipsticked lips as she savors my meatloaf.  It really is the only thing I can cook well, thanks to my mother.  

“So um...”  Esmerelda begins awkwardly after a long sip of her water.  “When are you leaving?”

“End of next week.”  I pop some food into my mouth.  “We’re flying.”

She nods.  “I’m sure the move will be for the best.”

I shrug, look down at my food and push it around with my fork.  “It’s not like I have a choice.  Anyway...enough about my situation.  What about you?  All I know is your name,” I chuckle.  “Your first name.”

“Oh...” The color rises to her cheeks, and she smiles.  “Well, my last name is Warton.  I grew up in Boston.  My dad teaches English at Boston College, and my mom is a poet.  I went to NYU for Library Science, even though my parents wanted me to do something else.  I could have done anything, but I wanted to help people.  My senior year of high school I did a lot of volunteer work, and felt it was my calling.”

“That’s noble.  Nobody should hold it against you.”

“Well, my parents don’t really but...they always throw those subtle little hints at me, about their slight disappointment.  I let it roll off my shoulders though, especially now that I’ve gotten this job.  If I stay with the library long enough, my salary will grow.  I’d like to be director of a library one day.”

“Great.  So when I write my Pulitzer you’ll have me in for a reading or something, right?”

“Naturally.  I’ll put a big sign out front like they have for my mothers book signings.  Justin....oh...wait, I don’t know your last name either,” she laughs.

“It’s Timberlake,” I smile.  

“Justin Timberlake,” she sighs out.  “It has book cover potential.”

“I don’t know,” I smirk.  “Maybe one day, when he can take care of himself, I’ll be able to write that novel that’s been on the back burner for a couple of years.”

“You shouldn’t stop writing,” she says seriously.  “My mom almost did that after I was born, but she kept at it.  If she hadn’t, I doubt she would have a career right now.”
r32;“Your mom is a poet?” I ask her, the last name suddenly ringing a bell.  

“Tabitha Warton.  She’s written a couple of dozen poetry books.  A few of them have made the best sellers list.”

I slide my chair out excitedly, go to the bookcase across the studio where I keep all the books I own, running my fingers over the bindings until I find what I’m looking for.  I stare at the thing in disbelief.  I’m not big on poetry, but I picked this up one day and I couldn’t put it down.  Now I’m sitting here with the authors daughter, and realize what makes her so different.  “This book is probably in my top two.”  I sit back down and put it face up on the table top.  “This is your mothers work?”

She slides it closer to her and laughs slightly.  “It is.  Wow.  Here I was thinking only little old ladies read this stuff.”  She flips through the pages and stops on one randomly.  “Come to my door, call my name.  Come to my bed, shake me awake.  As the morning sky yawns, as the birds chirp away, as you’ve done, a countless times before.  Stand still, please don’t leave.  Let me have my fill of your face.”

She closes the book and takes a small breath.

“That’s a good one.  I read that one a lot,” I tell her.

She laughs slightly.  “Want to know what it’s about?”

“Sure.”

“Well you’ve read it all the way through, I suppose.”

“Of course.”

“It’s about the way she feels every time my father goes away on his business trips.  We’ve both known for years that they’re not for business, but for some reason she’s still with him.  The funniest thing is, she won a ton of awards for that one poem.”

Her life isn’t so picture perfect either.  Again, it’s one more thing we have in common.  “Why does she put up with it?”

She shrugs.  “I guess she loves him too much to leave him.”

It’s silent again.  She goes back to eating, and I push my food around the plate, my appetite suddenly gone.  I look over at Ben, and see the chocolate all over his face from the cookies.  “Messy boy.” I smile for him and sign it out as I say it.  “Sorry let me just get him cleaned up.”

Esmerelda finally looks up and notices what’s happened.  She smiles and laughs.  “He certainly knows how to put it away.”

“He’s got his fathers appetite,” I call back to her, as I take him over to the sink.  I wet a cloth and wipe his face as he scrunches up his nose.

“When did you know...that he was completely deaf?”

“They told us right after he was born.”

“His mother didn’t take it well, I guess?”

I finish wiping Ben’s mouth and sign for him to go get his pajamas on, which he does without a fight tonight, and I’m thankful.  Normally, he hates being told that he has to go to bed, but with a guest his mood is a little different.

 “Tory was never into working hard, at anything.  We met my freshman year at NYU, and I liked her because she was that typical party girl I could mess around with on the weekends.” I smirk, and take my seat at the table again.  “Then we found out she was pregnant.  We tried to make it work, but she was making me miserable, so I said I would move out, and give them money to live on so she could stay with Ben.  I had to drop out of school, and get a job in the mailroom at the Daily News.  It wasn‘t the journalist job I wanted, but I was still exposed to the industry, so I wasn’t completely let down.  It worked up until this year.  She got tired of missing out on her social agenda for Ben’s sake, and decided to give him to me for good.  I signed the custody papers a few days ago, and...I guess that’s the end of Tory in his life.”

“That’s....horrible.” She says sadly, looking me in the eyes.  

I shrug.  “I was upset for a couple of days, but you know...this is for the best.  He won’t be exposed to her, and she won’t be able to rub off on him, you know?  I’d rather him have the same values instilled in him that were instilled in me, and my parents can help with that.”

“You’re a great dad to him, Justin,” she says softly.

I shrug.  “Thanks, but if it weren’t for my parents, I wouldn’t be all that great.  He’d have to start going to public deaf education, and those are always overcrowded.  I wish I could have been a little more successful, gotten a better job, so we could stay.”

“It’s New York City.  Everything is too expensive.”

“Yeah. I guess so.  It’s not just the money...I mean, I just met you...now I’m leaving.”

She stares at me with that disbelief in her eyes that she’s so famous for.  I don’t get it.  She’s a pretty girl, who has a good head on her shoulders.  Why aren’t guys lined up around the block to date her?  

“We should keep in touch then,” she finally decides.  “Emails and...maybe phone calls.  I still feel like we barely know each other.”

“That’s because we don’t,” I smile.  “But long distance things almost never work out.”

She shrugs.  “We’re friends.”

“Yeah.”

We stare at each other, and suddenly, I’m walking towards her, forgetting to listen out for Ben, not concerned that he might catch the two of us in the moment.  Then I reach her, she seems frozen in place, and when I extend my arm, touch her face, I can feel her tremble a little.  “When’s the last time you did this?” I whisper.

“Did what?”

“Enjoyed somebody else’s company?”

“I can’t remember,” she croaks.

“Me either.”

Our lips touch.  I taste a hint of vanilla on her lips, savor the feeling of her smooth, silky skin under my finger tips.  A warm, comforting feeling fills me up inside as her hands pull my face down closer to hers, allowing the kiss to deepen.  This isn’t playful fun, something to keep us occupied.  This is more.  There’s emotion behind this kiss.  So much emotion, even though we’ve only just met.

And I’m leaving.

I pull back, and when I glance to the side, I see my son standing there in his striped footed pajamas, holding his prized teddy under his arm, staring at us like he doesn’t know what to think.

Idiot. You’re an idiot.

“I’m um...”  She trails off and runs a hand through her curly hair.  “I...I should go.”

“You don’t have to go.  I shouldn’t have...I mean...”

“You’re leaving.  It’s a bad idea.”

She’s right.  If we let this escalate tonight, somebody will get hurt, I’m sure.  Neither of us can afford that right now, either.

I know I have to let her go.

This just sucks, all around.

“Here...”  She goes back to the table quickly and picks up her mothers poetry book.  “Do you have a pen?”
r32;

I scramble for one, and give it to her with a trembling hand before I go pick my son up from the floor.  He stares at me as if to say ‘what are you doing, daddy?’

Daddy doesn’t know.

“I’m leaving you my email and phone number,” she tells me, as she writes on the inside cover of the book.  “Let’s write, okay?  And you can call me whenever you get a chance.”

I smile for her, but I know the reality.  It will hurt me too much to keep in contact with her like she wants.  We’ll be too far away, and I won’t be able to afford to come see her.  I also know hell would probably freeze over before she came to visit a town like Wytheville.

“Yeah, okay.” I nod.

“Thanks for dinner.”  She puts the book down once she’s finished, and picks up her purse from the place she left it.  Then she opens the door, ready to let herself out.  “Good luck, Justin,” she says, before signing the same thing to Ben, who signs out a thank you.

I can barely look at her.  “Good luck.”

The door closes, and I feel my heart sink down into the bowels of my soul.  It’s strange but I feel like I’ve just had something important ripped away from me.  Like I let an opportunity pass me by, an amazing one.  I’ve only felt this way one other time in my life...when I dropped out of school.  But what can I do?  I have a child to take care of, and there’s nothing I can do to change that.

Just like my writing, Esmerelda the Librarian will have to be put on the back burner now.

Probably forever.

“Da-ad.”

I smile, and kiss him.  

Back to reality.

Seven by ialwayzbesingin
Three weeks later

“So let me get this straight,” Sandra sighs from her end of the phone.  “You were there, in his apartment, you kissed, and then you left?  I can’t believe it took you this long to tell me the truth.  I knew something was off when you barely said a thing when I asked you originally.”

I adjust my grip on the steering wheel.  “What was I supposed to do?”

“Strip off his clothes and have a fuck fest, of course.”

She’s serious.  That’s the sad thing.  “His kid was there.”

“So? Put the little guy to bed and take it into the bedroom, girl.”

“It wasn’t that kind of a date,” I explain.  “I told you, it was just dinner.”

“I bet he was looking you up and down when you walked into his place with that skirt on.”

It’s true.  I saw that look on his face when he first opened the door, like I was beautiful, instead of a dorky library chick.  I guess I impressed him, or something.

Maybe that’s why he kissed me.

It was the deepest, most passionate kiss anybody had ever given me, and I didn’t want to let him go, but there was no choice.

But it doesn’t matter now, because he’s gone and he’s not coming back.  My life is moving on too.  New job, new agenda, and now...news from my parents.  That’s where I’m headed today, for a long weekend with them for the Memorial Day holiday.  My mom told me they have something they want to tell me.  My dad is actually home this year.  Usually he tells us he’s off to some convention.  What he doesn’t realize is, we’ve known about his mistress for years.  I can’t deny I was glad to be away from the two of them when I left for school.  Away from their problems, my views of my parents could no longer be tainted.  They were the same way I left them when I moved to the dorms, in my mind.  

I have a feeling whatever news they’re about to tell me won’t sit well, though.

At least I’m independent now, can get over their problems easier than I would have been able to before.

The position at the library has worked out very well.  Everyone is so nice, and I’ve become a valued part of the team in the three weeks since I came to work there. My boss loves me, and there’s talk of promotion already, despite the fact that I haven't been there long.  I know by the end of the year a few of my goals will have been met.  I should be happy.

Something’s missing though.

But it’s so foolish to dwell on the things I can’t have.  Justin is gone, has been for weeks, and I know he’s better off.  No, he hasn’t contacted me, but did I really expect him to?  I think I did, and that’s the most disappointing part, knowing he doesn’t care, that he has his own life and probably forgot all about the girl he kissed over meatloaf and life story swapping.

I’m done with dating.

Add Justin to the list.  The list of horrible first and only dates.

“Maybe just give him some more time,” Sandra suggests.  “He must be busy with all that family in his face, on top of trying to get his son settled in.”

“Sandra, it’s a lost cause.”

“I saw the way he looked at you,” she snickers.  “Nothing like that is ever a lost cause, honey.”

I sigh, open my mouth to say something else, but then I hear Maude in the background ,telling her to get off the phone.  Some things never change.

“I better go,” she mutters.  “She still hasn’t found anybody to take your spot, and she’s been running me ragged in the meantime.  I’ll call you later.”

“All right,” I force a laugh.  “Talk to you then.”

We hang up, and I take my bluetooth out of my ear, thankful to be rid of her guilt trip for the moment.  Sure, I love her, and with my new job we don’t see each other as often as we used to, but I can’t take the feeling she gives me whenever we talk about it...that I let something go that I shouldn’t have.

I turn my phone off, to ensure she wont’ be able to call me back and bother me anymore about it the rest of the way to my parents house.

I pull up the long drive about an hour later, letting the gates close behind me.  They bought the house a few years ago, when my mother renewed her publishing contract.  It’s a beautiful home on the outskirts of Boston, with a couple living inside of it that shouldn’t be together.  I sigh, thinking of how awkward I’m going to feel being with the two of them all weekend, even though...I’ve wanted this for a long time.  Us being together again on a holiday, like a family.

“Essie!”  

My mother yells excitedly once she opens the door for me, and I let her throw her arms around me so she can pull me in for a tight embrace.  It feels nice, being in her arms again.  I realize it’s been a little bit too long between visits.

“Hi mom.” I say, when I’m finally able to pull away from her.  She gives my cheek a forceful kiss which I’m sure has left behind some of her lipstick, but I don’t try to wipe it away.  I know she needs this.

She leads the way inside as always, and the housekeeper bids me a hello and offers to get somebody out to the car to bring my bags inside, which I thank her for.

“Where’s dad?”

She’s silent for a moment.  “Out back.”

I stop walking, and pull on her arm slightly so she’ll be forced to face me.  “What’s going on, mom?  I know you said you have news.”

She nods.  “Let’s just go out back and talk.”

I see it in her eyes.  This is it.  Something drastic has happened and she only has one choice now.  She’s done living in the shadow of another woman.

God.

I don’t want to go out there.  If I don’t, they won’t be able to tell me . They won’t be able to sit there and tell me that our family is finally being torn apart after all these years.  We’ve only lived with this flaw up until now.  Things are different this time around.  This time around the Wartons will no longer be.  My parents will go off on their own, live their own lives and I’ll just be caught between the two of them, splitting up holidays like it’s perfectly fine.  I’m just supposed to be okay with that, rearrange my life to suit theirs.  

It’s not fair.  It’s not fair that my father never loved my mother enough.  It’s not fair that my mother put her writing before making her marriage work.

I follow my mother through the rest of the house, out the back door that leads to the patio, with a heavy heart.

“Hey, there’s my baby.”  My father rises up, glances at my mother just slightly before focusing on giving me a large smile.  It’s the one I remember from my childhood.  The one that always convinced me that he loved and valued this family above all else.

He’s a great liar, I guess.

“Hi, daddy.”  I give him a quick hug and kiss before I sit down.  My mother takes a seat at the opposite end of the patio table, and my father sits down too...not next to her though.

“How is the city?” My father asks, that same smile on his face.  “Your mother told me about your new position at the Library.  I’m so proud of you.”

I know he’s lying . He never wanted me to take the career path that I did.  He wanted me to be a teacher, or something along those lines.  “You never cared before, dad.”

He’s silent.  He knows I’m not buying it.

“What’s going on with you two?” I ask, immediately.  “Just tell me.  That’s why you wanted me to come here, right?”

“Well we wanted to see you too, honey,” my mother says, forcing a smile.  “Don’t forget about that part.”

I look at the ground.

“Baby, your mother and I...we’re not happy,” my father speaks up since my mother won’t come out and say it.  “We haven’t been happy for a long time.”

I lean my cheek against my fist, still not looking at either of them.  

“What we’re trying to say, dear, is, your father and I have decided to go our separate ways.”

“It’s about time,” I mutter.  “Did you decide to move in with your girlfriend, dad?”

He doesn’t say anything.  It’s like he’s ashamed, but he should be.

“We just wanted to be the ones to tell you, and we wanted to do it together,” my mother continues.  “Your father and I have reached an understanding.  Nobody is angry anymore, dear.  You see...it’s all for the best.”

I stand up, stare down at the both of them.  “Why were you two okay living like this for all these years then? Why did you decide to go off and sleep with some other woman, dad?”

His eyes go wide.  I’ve never talked to him like that, ever.

“Esmerelda!” My mother yells.

“I don’t even know why you invited me here!” I yell at her, the first tears beginning to float down my face.  “I was fine on my own...letting you two live your messed up lives without me!”

“Nobody wanted this to happen,” my father says to me, getting up from his chair too and making his way over to me.  “Things just...”

I push him away when he tries to put his arm around me.  “Things just what? You weren’t getting it from mom so you went somewhere else instead?”

He glares at me.  “That’s enough, young lady.”

I snort.  “You’re right.  It is enough.”

I turn on my heel and walk away from them, disgusted and in tears.

“Esme! Esmerelda, just wait!”

I want to keep walking, go out to my car and drive back to the city.  But when I glance back at my mother, I just...can’t do it.  I stop, and sigh, sobbing right there in front of the woman who gave me life.  “Mom, what happened? Why...why did you let dad do this?”

“I didn't let him do anything,” she grunts.  “Your father had certain needs and now...now I’ve had enough.  Surely, you can understand.”

I shake my head.  “I’ll never understand.”

She nods, and I know she’s starting to see why I can’t.  “In a few weeks I’m going out on a tour for the new book.  I was wondering if you would come with me.  We could spend some real time together, honey.  It’s been too long since we’ve done anything like that.”

I sigh, look into her eyes, and I can see how much she wants me to do this with her.  This new book is a big deal.  It’s her first fiction novel, not a poetry book.  Her publishing company is very excited about it, and this promotional tour is supposed to drive the sales insanely high.  Hell, I’m even excited for her, but I never thought I’d be joining in on her book tour.  “I just started at the library...”

“Please honey,” she squeezes my hand.  “I need this time with you.  I think...we can talk about a lot of things, and get past the divorce together.  I want to make sure that we stay close even if the family can’t be any longer.”

How can I say no now?

“I...I guess I could take a leave or something for a couple of weeks.”

“I’ll pay you.  You can help Raegan set up the meet and greets.”

God, Raegan.  “He’s so annoying, mom.”

“Maybe so, but he gets things done.  Did you know he’s single again?  And so handsome.”

Raegan is my mothers manager, and I have to admit, if it wasn’t for him, she wouldn’t have half the career that she does.  He’s young too, not as young as me, he’s in his thirties but barely looks older than twenty eight.  He’s nice enough, but something about him has always made me cringe.  He just acts so pompous at times.  Like he’s the best thing there is when it comes to managing authors.  I guess having people like Stephen King on the roster would give anybody a ego boost, though.  

But that doesn’t mean I have to like him, or accept the way he chooses to talk down to people.

“I’ll go for you, mom.  Not to get engaged to Raegan.”

She smiles and kisses my cheek.  “Good enough, baby.”
Eight by ialwayzbesingin
With a loud rumble and a strong shudder, the huge steel machine gives into my key turn in the ignition, not without letting a strong hiss of steam escape the exhaust as the engine shuts down, seemingly in protest of my action.

I sigh, sit back in the ripped up cloth seat and grab the canteen at my side, unscrewing its cap and quickly raising it to my lips, letting the cool liquid glide onto my dried up tongue.

It’s the beginning of June and the heat is only going to get worse here in Wytheville.  While I grew up with this type of weather year after year, I haven’t been back home long enough to get used to it again.  When the morning begins to slip into afternoon and the sun rises to it’s highest point in the sky, I expect to feel the moisture in the air, the sticky goodness of humid New York City weather, but it’s not there.  It’s only the dry, intense heat out in the wheat fields, and the hunk of metal I ride around on all day doesn’t help things.  It’s an old tractor that my father refuses to replace because they’re extremely expensive.  It uses a lot of energy which drives the temperature way up, all around me.  At some points its nearly unbearable.  I try to drape damp cloths over the back of my neck, but they dry out quick, and I can’t keep that much water on this thing with me, there’s no room.

I don’t complain though.  I can’t.  My parents are doing me a huge favor, and working for my father is a lot better than working at the Gas Pit a couple of miles down the road.  This work is hard, relentless.  When I’m done with one thing, there’s always something else just as grueling to get into.  The list doesn’t stop until supper time at five o’clock, and my day starts at four am.  I drag myself in the house, completely exhausted, and it’s a miracle I can make it down for dinner.  My father wouldn’t accept me skipping out on family time of course.  He’s done this very same routine my whole life, and wants me to learn to put up with it, be a working man just like him so I can live up to his standard, and run this place one day even though it’s not what I want at all.

The sweat continues to roll down my face as I satisfy my thirst, and I wipe my forehead with my sweaty arm.  It doesn’t help.  I’m just one big mass of sweaty skin, and I wish I could go back to the house, escape into the shower and the cool spray of the running water.

But I have a long way to go before that will happen.  It’s only noon, lunchtime, and I’m just halfway through my workload for the day.

Other than the heat, it hasn’t been so bad being back home.  Before I came, my mom turned my old bedroom into a room for Ben, and I’ve been sleeping in the small guest room down the hall.  Ben’s adjusted well, considering how shy he is and how difficult of a time he has with change.  The new school has suited him so far.  His teachers are really nice, and he’s made a couple of friends there.  My mom set up a couple of play dates, and those have gone over well.  She’s kind of taken over when it comes to the daily child care routine.  I’ve been so busy with all the farm work that she hasn’t really had a choice, but she doesn’t mind.  She tells me all the time how much she loves having us here, and I’m sure, deep down, she’d prefer it if we never went back to New York.  

With money the way it is, she just might get her wish.  As long as Ben is happy and healthy here, I shouldn’t have a reason to complain either.  I guess I’m...disappointed, more than anything else.  I told everybody I was getting out of this small town, moving on to better things, and I did it.

Now I’ve come crawling back because I had a kid and couldn’t make it work.

My friends have been as supportive as I expected them to be.  Sure, they all laughed at me, told me I couldn’t hack the city life, but it was all in good fun.  The were actually really excited when they heard I was coming back.  They even had a party for me last weekend, had my mom watch Ben that night and the next day so I could get plastered.  It had been a long time since I’d seen them, partied with them.  It took me back to a different time, when I was young, and didn’t have any responsibilities.  

So, when Lacey Cooper came sauntering up to me later that evening, after I’d had one too many beers, I didn’t think twice when we started to make out in the corner.  We were both drunk, I know that now, and I’ve been avoiding what happened, and her, like the plague ever since.  My best friend thinks that I should just give in...that we’ve always been meant for each other, and my family and the rest of my friends feel the same way.

But I just don’t think I’m ready.  At least, not ready for her.

Maybe I’m just holding out for somebody else, but that idea is so ridiculous.  I’m here, in bum fuck Virginia, and Esme is in New York City.  I haven’t written her, because I can’t deal with a long distance thing.  For some reason I get flustered when I think about her, when I talk to her, like I need to have her, right there and then.  The fact that she’s captivated me from the first moment I stepped into that bookstore hasn’t escaped my mind, and when I think about her, I get lost in her even though she isn’t there.

That’s bad.

I gotta just...leave that entire situation alone, because I know I’ll never see her again.

“You had your fun in the city, got a kid out of it and all.  But now your back and...maybe it’s a sign, you know? Maybe you should give this thing with Lacey another chance.  She’s really accepting of Ben’s issues.  She’s patient.  It’s going to be hard to find another girl like that, Justin.”

Trace Ayala, my best friend since diapers, said it to me as he guzzled his beer last night.  He stopped by for dinner with his daughter, who has become one of Ben’s favorite play buddies since I’ve been home.  It’s good for them, and good for us.  Trace has a decent excuse to escape his house now, so we can catch up.  I admit, our relationship sort of drifted after I moved away, and I didn’t realize how much I missed him until we were able to sit down and talk together.

He’s married.  Has his daughter, Amy, who is a year older than Ben, and he has one on the way.  Leah and Trace were married right out of high school.  He didn’t go to college, got a job at his Uncle’s garage instead, and has been there ever since.  It was never his dream job.  He was trying to get a baseball scholarship before the thing with his knee.  He shattered it in a motor bike accident our senior year, and it destroyed his chance.  It was hard for him, and I guess...I wasn’t there to see him through the aftermath because I left for New York a couple of months later.  He didn’t hold it against me.  If anything, he was glad one of us was able to do something, get out of town.

“I’m not looking for a relationship right now,” I told him, not meeting his eye line as I took a swig of my beer.

“Who’d you meet in New York?”

The smirk on his face annoyed the shit out of me.  Of course he would have figured it out.  He knew me better than anybody else.  “It was just a date,” I muttered.  “It was nothing, and besides, I’m here now, and I have Ben to worry about.”

“Sounds to me like you’re holding out.  Trust me dude, the long distance thing...”

“I know,” I grunted before he could finish . “I know it doesn’t work out.”

He didn’t say anything else.  He knew it was a sensitive subject then, so he backed off.  Of course, it’s still a sensitive subject, but I avoid it when I’m with him.  He hasn’t brought it up again, but I know he’s expecting me to ask Lacey to the fair next week.  If I don’t, he’s just going to bug me some more, force me to tell him about Esmerelda the Librarian and how I think I might be in love with her, even though I barely know her.  He might laugh me right to the town line if I tell him that, too.

Maybe I should just...let go.  Maybe I should take Lacey up on that invite to dinner, the movies.  Maybe I should just get used to small town life with a small town girl, get married because she’s the only one worth troubling myself with.  I mean, she’s a beautiful girl, I can’t deny that.  She’s sweet too, she knows me, she’s a good listener and she’s great with Ben.  What’s more, I know she cares about me, and once upon a time I cared about her too, a lot.

Fuck, maybe I still do.  I don’t know anymore.

I eat my sandwich and my ham and potato salad, all prepared by my mom last night.  That’s another thing I love about being home...her cooking.  The woman is the best cook in the county, hands down, and everybody else in town would agree.  She wins first prize at the county fair every year for her pies and her casseroles, and it’s one of the only reasons I’m looking forward to attending that thing.  I’m a little excited to introduce that all to Ben too.  He’s never seen anything like it, tasted real hand spun cotton candy or freshly popped kettle corn.  It’ll be nice sharing something like that with him, helping him to sign out all the new things he’ll be seeing so he can show his teacher.  I still have those books Es helped me find.  We read the stories and sometimes we just sit and flip through that dictionary.  Ben points out the signs he thinks are the most interesting and I do my best to practice them with him.  It’s helping.  He’s a lot more active with his signing than he was before, and with his teachers help, he’s become a lot better at reading lips.  It’s great for my dad because he doesn’t have a lot of time to learn how to sign, and I’d like them to become a little bit closer...but when it comes to my father, quality time is hard to come by.

I start up the engine again, recalling the conversation the two of us had this morning over coffee and cereal.

“You doing the left half of the field today, son?”

“Hm...oh yeah.  Yeah the left half.”

“Make sure you keep the lines even.  Bring ‘er in around three, and get the pigs fed again ‘fore supper.  Chicken coop wire needs some work too, if you have time.  If not, get it done tomorrow mornin’, ‘fore you change those horseshoes we were talkin’ about.”

“Yes, sir.”
 
That was it, and...it was the longest conversation we’ve had since I’ve been home.

I can’t deny that he’s a good man.  He raised all of us well, provided everything we needed, and instilled a lot of great values in us, but he’s never been the best talker.  My mom has always been the one that gave the speeches and laid down the law, letting him go out and run the farm instead.  If any of us ever wanted something, we would always ask momma first, and she would say ‘I’ll talk it over with your father.’

Now that I’m grown, I think it would be a little awkward to go asking momma for things I should be talking to my father about.  Somehow though, I feel extremely uncomfortable with the idea of asking my father for anything.
I finish my tractor run, and drive it right up to the gate, jumping down and beginning the tedious task of running piles of wheat through the special machine that packs it together in bundles.  It takes me until a little bit after three to secure it all, and I feel like I’m going to collapse, but there’s still more work to be done.

I drive the thing back to it’s place in a large red barn a few hundred feet from the house, park it, and unlatch the bin that contains the days wheat load, hauling it outside and locking the barn doors behind me.  It’s three forty five, and that leaves me enough time to slop the pigs and get a head start on fixing the chicken coops.

Great.  I might as well though.  It’ll be one less thing on my list for tomorrow, because tomorrow is horse day, and horse day is an awful smelly day with flies and animal shit everywhere.  In fact, I think I’d take the tractor and wheat hauling over that, despite how hot it is.

“Justin.”  My mother sighs when I walk into the house to refill my canteen.  “You look a fright.  You’re all red.  What did I tell you about wearing enough sun screen?”

“I’m all right, momma.”  I smirk as I hold the canteen under the tap.  “It’ll turn into a tan like it used to.”

“Still,” she sighs.  

“Ben get home yet?”

“Yes, he’s over at that boy Jimmies house today.  They’re keeping him for supper.”

“Oh.” I screw the cap on and turn to her.  She didn’t tell me and it annoys me slightly.  I might be tired but I’d like to have dinner with my son, if nothing else.  “Well, that’s fine but I wish you would have run it by me.”  I walk over and kiss her cheek.  “Next time, huh?”

She shrugs slightly.  “It’s good for him to be with other children from school.”

“I know but I barely get enough time with him during the week as it is.”  I call it back to her as I head out the door.  “I’m just saying that I’d like him at our table for dinner from now on.  It’s not a big deal mom.”

I go to open the screen door again, but stop when I see her standing there, blonde hair falling in perfect, wavy curls around her bare shoulders, smile as wide as anything, blue eyes sparkling.

My mom planned it this way.

“Hi,” Lacey says brightly.

“Hey...” I trail off, glance back at my mother who is busying herself by sweeping the floor.  “You um...need something? I’m just getting back to work.”

“Well your momma invited me for dinner.  I said I would help out.”

“Oh, is that you Lacey?” My mom says, suddenly appearing at my side like seeing Lacey standing there is the shock of her lifetime.  “Dear, I wasn’t expectin’ you until later.”

Lacey doesn’t say anything, just continues to smile and stand there, pretty as anything in that pink off the shoulder sundress she’s wearing.  Obviously, she made an effort because somebody told her to.  Somebody told her to come here, talk to me, so maybe I would finally give in to her damn advances.

It’s a conspiracy.  It has been all along and my mother has turned into the ring leader.  “ ‘scuse me.”  I open the door and Lacey grabs hold of the side of it as I pick up the roll of coop wire and push past her,  setting my focus on starting my next project of the day.  I slop the pigs quickly, pull on some work gloves and start on the coops, managing to get the first one emptied of all the chickens with forty five minutes to spare.  I start on the right hand side, tearing the old screen off with wire cutters, and replacing it with a new, fitted section of the stuff.

“Justin.”

I sigh, and hang my head low.  Why? Why can’t she take a hint?  “Lacey.”  I drop my tools and slowly rise to my feet.  “What is it?”

“I just thought we could talk...maybe.  We haven’t said anything to each other since your homecoming party.”
r32;“I was drunk and so were you.” I scoff.  “What’s there to say?”  I crouch down, and begin work on the next part of the coop, pushing the thought of her...the thought of us, away.

“Why are you avoiding me? I mean, aside from...what happened at the party, I’ve been coming around, spending time with Ben.  You duck out every time I’m here.  I think I deserve an explanation.”

“I just don’t have time to get involved with you.”  I say it to the wire as I continue to twist and cut it away from the wooden frame.  “We’re...different people now.”

“After all this time, you still act like a child.  You haven’t changed at all.”

I drop the tools again, and look back at her angrily.  “That’s messed up.  I have a lot going on.”

“Oh and I don’t?” She laughs bitterly and puts her hands on her hips.  “What, with Winston and all?  Momma’s gone half crazy with everything he’s going through.  I’m stuck in the middle, but you don’t see me complaining.”

I shrug.  “I’m sorry...about your brother.  You know I’m sorry, but you should understand where I’m coming from.  I’m trying to settle in, Lacey, and we can be friends, but that’s all we can be.”

She smirks, just slightly, and steps forward, her body swishing from side to side in that sexy, seductive way it does when she wants something from me.  “I’m not so sure you believe that.”

“I do,” I whisper, when she’s right up in my face, licking her lips, daring me to resist her.  “I mean it.”

She doesn’t hesitate, just brushes her lips lightly against mine, and it takes me away.  It makes me melt into her slightly, and I hate it...but I can’t stop the feeling.  One touch of her lips brings back all those memories of her, from years past, when I loved her.  When all I wanted to do was hold her, tell her one day I would marry her.  Then she said she wouldn’t drop her life here to take a chance at going to school in New York with me.

So I said I couldn’t be with her anymore.

“Do you believe it now?” She finally asks me, after kissing me several more times, and my arms have found their way around her waist.

“I don’t know what to believe.”

“You have a date for the fair?”

I smirk.  “I’m going stag with Ben.”

“Doubt it.”

“Why’s that?”

“ ‘Cause you’re head over heels for me, Timberlake.  Always have been, always will be, kid or no kid.”

With one final touch of her lips to mine, she tugs herself out of my arms, winks at me, and tells me she’ll see me at the supper table.

And I guess she will.

I guess she’ll be on my arm at the fair too, and after that we’ll go to the dance together.  The one that’s supposed to raise all that money for her brothers cancer treatment.  Then our relationship will blossom, grow, and she’ll be my girlfriend before I have a chance to back away again.  That’s how it is down here, there aren’t a lot of choices and you have to keep the people around you that matter the most, make an effort to get them back in your life if they’ve been out of it for some time.

As far as Lacey Cooper is concerned, I’m always going to be the one she loves, the one and only guy for her.

I just don’t know if I’m ready to accept that she might be the only girl...the only choice, for me.
Nine by ialwayzbesingin
“Finally a day off tomorrow.”  My mother plops down beside me on the bed and laughs a little bit.  “You know, I heard there’s a cute little fair about thirty miles from here.  What do you think about going to that? Unless you’re too tired?  Raegan said he’d love to take us.”

“Of course he’d love to.” I roll my eyes and flip the channel on the television.  “Anything to get me alone with him.”

“You won’t be alone.” She swats at me playfully.  “I’ll be there.”

“Until you get distracted.”

“Exactly what is wrong with Raegan? I think he’s been a perfect gentleman the whole tour, and those dinners he’s taken you to, they’re not exactly cheap.  He makes the effort because he likes you, honey.  I think you should give this thing a chance, don’t you?”

“No.”

She groans and flicks the TV on.  “You’re impossible, just like you’re father.”

“I won’t comment on that,” I scoff, and pull my cell out of my pocket when it buzzes to life.  A text message reads ‘Lobby in twenty?’ and I start to feel sick to my stomach.

I’ll be there,  I type out, and shove the phone back in my pocket.

Sandra said it would do me some good to get away for a month or so, that my mother probably needed me around for support more than I even knew.  She was right.  I can see it in my mothers eyes, and sometimes, when she doesn’t know I’m watching, I see how sad she is.  The divorce is painful for her, despite her efforts to hide her emotions from me.  So I hold my head high for her, I don’t complain, I smile, and I put up with Raegan because it’s the best thing, health wise, for my mother.

The book tour has been very good to my mother.  She loves meeting her readers, and she’s been selling three or four copies to nearly every person she signs for, doubling her sales from ebooks and regular bookstores.  The money is rolling in, and the way Raegan tells it, this book might make the top three on the best sellers list.  He’s also trying to get her a movie deal, says the book has a great story line that will draw audiences all over the country.  My mother is in her glory, and I know she’ll be all right.

In the meantime, I can’t wait for this damn thing to be over.

I go to dinner with Raegan because it’s gives my mother peace of mind.  As long as I go, she’s happy, doesn’t think I’ll be a single librarian for the rest of my life.  The restaurants he takes me to are always posh, high class, and the food is always incredible.  Our conversations consist of me sitting there while he talks about business and how he’d love to take me on a tour of Italy after this whole thing is all over.  I smile and nod, but I don’t really give him an answer.  I know he likes me though...really likes me, and I’m not sure why.  My mother says I’m his type.  I’m a nice quiet girl, and he likes that.

I think he just wants sex, personally.

“God, that’s him?” Sandra said to me last night over the phone.  I texted her a picture my mother took of him and I so I could show her what he looked like.  Of course I didn’t want to pose for a picture with him, but it was the only way I could get a good picture of the guy without him thinking I was a creeper.  “What are you doing?  Stop waiting around!”

I laughed.  “I’m not all that interested, actually.”

“Why the hell not?”

“Sandra, he’s...good looking, but I’m not sold on his personality.”

“Good looking?”

Okay, so Raegan isn’t the ugliest guy in the world.  In fact, he’s one of the better looking men I’ve met in my life.  He can’t hold a candle to Justin of course, but I’ve done my very best to put that man out of my head for good.  It’s been too long, and it’s obvious that he never meant to stay in touch with me.  “He’s more than good looking.”

“Damn straight he is!  Es, I want you to go on a legit date with this guy.  Dinner, dancing, sex.  I mean it.”r32;r32;“Sandra...”

“Look, I’m serious,” she grunted.  “I’m tired of this wishy washy view you have on romance.  It’s time to start seeking out that husband missy.  You can’t wait around forever.”

“I just don’t want to marry the first guy that comes along, that’s all.”

“Please, honey.”r32;r32;“Look at my parents,” I whispered.  “They were miserable for years.  I don’t even know if they were ever really in love.  I don’t want to make that same mistake.  Raegan is...charming but...that’s not everything.”

“Especially if you’re holding out for someone else...”

“Sandra...”

“Well it’s true.”

I was silent for a long time.  I hated it because it was true, but I didn’t want it to be.  “I’m doing my best.”

“You’re best isn’t good enough.  Look, I don’t want you calling me again until you’ve gone on a legit raunchy sex date with that fine ass man in the picture.  You got me?”

I laughed.

“I want to hear you say it.”

“God...”  I knew I had to do it, because I would never hear the end of it otherwise.  “Fine, one date.  That’s it, and I’m not planning on having sex with him.  You’ll have to live with that.”

“If you get caught up in him you will, and believe me, you’ll thank me later.”

When I hung up with her, I really, really wanted to believe her.

Tonight will be the test.  When I told him yesterday afternoon, during the meet and greet, that I wanted to have a real date with him for once, he seemed to light right up, flashed me that perfect smile of his that I’ve come to sort of...like, over the past few weeks.  Still, something inside told me not to trust him.  That he’d let me down just like everybody else.

“I’m meeting Raegan downstairs, mom,” I tell her as I get off the bed.  “We’re going to dinner.  Should we bring you anything?”

“Certainly not.” She flashes me a satisfied smile.  “You two go and have a nice time.  We’ll all go to the fair tomorrow, okay?”

“Yeah...fine...”

“Don’t you scare him off,” she warns me as I start walking toward the bathroom.  “I really think you two would make a great couple if you would just give him a chance, dear.”

“Okay, mom.”  I say it quickly, and then I shut myself in the bathroom.  I can still hear her talking to me, and I run the water so I can drown out the sound of her voice.  Surprisingly enough, it works, and I busy myself with fixing my hair and applying my make up.  Then I stare back at myself, try to see what Raegan sees when he looks at me.  I don’t get it.  I don’t get why he acts like I’m worthy of so much.  I don’t feel that way, not at all.

I guess because I was let down by a guy that I can’t get out of my head no matter how hard I try.

By the time I walk out of the bathroom, my mother is on the phone, oblivious to my sudden return.  It sounds like she’s talking to her publishers and I smirk as I make my way to the door, knowing she’ll be too caught up in that conversation to lecture me on my etiquette with Raegan.  I slip silently out the door, and ride the elevator down. I see him immediately when I step off, sitting on the plush leather sofa, staring at the fountain in the center of the lobby like he’s lost in his thoughts.  I’ve never done this, just stood back and taken him all in before.  He looks so peaceful, like all he has is goodness inside of him, ready to be shared, but I know different.  I know he’s too caught up in himself most of the time, and that doesn’t sit well with me.

“Hey, Es.” He smiles when he sees me coming towards him, and pushes himself up from the sofa.  “Ready?”

I shrug.  “Sure, I guess.  My mom said she wants to go to that fair tomorrow too, the one you were telling her about.”

“Oh...” He trails off, as if he forgot, but then it seems to hit him at once.  “Yeah, that’s right.  It’s in Wytheville.”

I stare at him.  Just stare.  I recognize the name of the town right away.  I could never forget it.

That’s where Justin is, right now, at this very moment.

“Did you say...Wytheville?”

He laughs.  “Yeah. Wytheville, Virgina.  It’s off the turnpike.” He gives me a suspicious look.  “Why...do you know it?”

“No, no...it just...sounds interesting.”

He rolls his eyes.  “It’s Hicksville, but it’s something to do.  Your mom deserves a day out for herself, and I figured it was the safest play...not too tiring, you know?”

I just swallow and nod my head.

Christ what if he’s there?r32;
No, no that couldn’t happen.  It couldn’t.  I can’t get that lucky.  

“C’mon, that’s tomorrow’s plan.” He smiles and holds his hand out.  “Tonight it’s just about us.”

I don’t take his hand.  “There’s no us, Raegan.  I said I’d go on a date with you, but that’s all.”

“What do I have to do to win you over, huh?” He smirks.  

I shrug.  “I’m not a prize.  You know, we’ve been out to dinner all these times and I don’t think we’ve ever once had a conversation that wasn’t about the book business or your money.”

He stares at me, like my words have shocked him.  “Well what do you want to talk about?  It’s not like you ever initiate the conversation.  That seems to be my job.”

“I don’t know...” I trail off and sigh.  I know talking to him like this isn’t going to get me anywhere.  He doesn’t get it.  He doesn’t understand me, really.  We’re both into literature, and it’s probably the only thing we have in common.

“You gotta let these barriers you have built up around yourself, crumble a little.”  He steps up to me and brushes a strand of hair back behind my ear.  “I’m not so bad, I swear.”

I don’t meet his gaze.

“I really like you, Es.  You’re intelligent, you’re...Christ, you’re beautiful.  You’re into the same business that I am, and you understand how busy I can get.  We’re a good match, you just have to give me a chance here.”

Did he just call me beautiful?

“Beautiful?” I rasp.

He smiles.  It’s the one I’ve grown attached to.  The one that makes me melt, just a little.  “Nobody’s ever told you that, huh?”

I hate to admit it, but he’s right.  

Justin didn’t even tell me that, although, he might have just run out of time.

“No.” I shake my head a little, and almost look down at my feet before he pushes my head back up with his hand so I’m forced to look into his blue green eyes.  

“Well I’m saying it,” he whispers.  “It’s the truth, you know?  You’re beautiful, Es, and if I could, I’d spend every day with you.  I’m moving back to the city, did your mom tell you that? I picked up a lot of talent in Manhattan, so...we’ll be neighbors.  I’ve always felt we were never able to get close because I was in LA, so...we might have a chance now.”

Great.

I’m about to tell him that he shouldn’t hope for anything.  That I’m not ready to be with him or anybody else, but then his lips grab mine, and he gives me a deep, passionate kiss.  One that sends my emotions spinning, causes my heart to beat furiously inside my chest, and want him more than I ever have before.  

“Raegan...” I say it breathlessly when our lips finally part, and I look into his eyes.  There’s a difference in them now.  His gaze is soft, and caring, and I’ve never seen this side of him before.  I guess, because I never gave him a chance to get this close to me, and I have no idea why I’m doing it now.

It felt good though, his lips on mine.

“I’m not going to push you, Essi,” he smiles and holds his hand out once again.  “Let’s just go to dinner, huh?”

“Yeah, that’s fine.”

I let him guide me away, out the door, and over to the awaiting taxi, not being able to help but think about what tomorrow will bring, even though it’s the last thing I should care about.

Christ, I’m going to Wytheville, tomorrow.
Ten by ialwayzbesingin
The sweet smell of kettle corn immediately filled my nostrils as we stepped through the large archway this morning, and paid our way into the fair.  Lacey gripped my hand tighter and leaned her head against my shoulder as she smiled while our group walked to the first kiosk, and I didn’t stop her, because being with her was the logical thing, the only thing that made sense since I was officially back in Wytheville for good.  After the visit she paid me that day, I couldn’t seem to resist her anymore.  At the dinner table, she seemed like family all over again.  Karen, my sister who is younger than me by a year, stopped over for dinner that night, and made small talk with Lacey about the fair, how she was baking a pie along with momma.  My youngest brother and sister, Rebecca and Garret, talked her ear off about everything that was going on in their lives, as they always did in the past.  My parents were all smiles, seeming to know that Lacey and I would be getting back together soon, just like they always wanted.

It felt like I was really back.  Like I’d never left.

That night, after supper, we went for a walk down by the lake behind the farm, sat and watched the stars as the moon crept out from behind the clouds.  We talked about everything...about what happened before I left for the city, about her and what she’d been doing, about me and my crazy situation.  She didn’t hold it against me, tell me I was a bad person for getting involved with somebody like Tory.  She said she was proud of me for doing what was right for Ben, and that if I let her, she’d stick by me, help me, and possibly even love me.

I remembered that girl then.  The girl I used to love, and I couldn’t help myself.  I kissed her right there, by the lake, and told her how much I missed her, that I tried to push her away after I left town, and how I regretted that decision.

We’ve been together ever since, just seemed to melt right back into the relationship we used to have, and I know I’m better for it.  Ben is too.  He’s taken to her right away, loves to spend time with her, and Lacey has been making a contentious effort to learn how to sign.  I sit with her often, work on the basics with her.  It’s brought us that much closer together.

I’ve almost forgotten about Esme.

Almost, but something inside is holding me back from letting her go completely.  It’s frustrating the hell out of me.  I just want to move on with my life and never look back at what I almost had.  It’s too depressing, knowing I lost my shot at my dream. I know I’ll marry Lacey Cooper in a year or so, and we’ll start a family.  I’ll work on the farm until it’s time for my parents to pass it down to me, and then I’ll run it, just like my father always has, and when Ben is old enough, he’ll start to follow in my footsteps as best he can with his disability.  If Lacey and I have a son, he’ll do the same thing.

That’s our destiny, but I know it could be a lot worse.

“What’s his favorite?”

I smile as I look down at Ben.  His mouth is smeared with chocolate from the homemade fudge we bought a few minutes ago, and his eyes are wide as he looks up at all the different balloon animals scattered around the booth.  I sign to him, ‘which animal do you like’, and he smiles, real big, which I love to see.

“Bir...bir.”  He manages and points to the one on the far right of the booth, excitedly.  “Birrr.”

“We’ll take the bird,” I smile and fish a couple of bucks out of my wallet to hand to Becki, the lady that’s been doing this since I was Ben’s age, but she waves me away.

“It’s on the house,” she smiles, and begins to twist the blown up plastic into shape.  “Welcome back, dear.”

It’s crazy.  In the city I was nothing, vapor, but here it seems like I’m this big celebrity.  Most of the locals know me as the one who got his shot in the big city, and even though I didn’t succeed, it doesn’t make them any less proud.  That’s what small towns are like I guess.  Nobody does much of anything, but when somebody does, it’s a big deal.

“Here’s a bird for big Ben.”  Becki smiles and leans over so she can fashion the bird balloon hat on my son’s head.  “Y’all have fun now.  See you at the dance?”

“Oh, yeah.”  I nod.  “We’ll all be there.”

“Heard you’ll be there with somebody special,” she winks.

I feel the color rise to my cheeks, and clear my throat slightly.  “Well, yeah...”

“You and that Lacey Cooper.  We all just knew that would happen when they said you were movin’ back.  When’s the weddin’?”

I laugh slightly and roll my eyes as I take my son by the hand.  “Don’t push it.  I haven’t even gotten to the sand art booth yet.  Mary Wilkinson is gonna yak my ear off.  We’re just starting out.”

“Well if you ask me, the two of you should have been married off a long time ago.”

I expect it, from everybody.  People don’t forget you here, not easily.  Everyone is in everyone else’s business, and if they like you, who you spend your time with, they let you know it.  It’s one of the reasons I was so keen on getting out of here, but now that I’m back, I’m comforted by the welcome I’ve received.  “I’ll keep that in mind, Beck.  Thanks again.”

“Anytime, see you tonight.”

I have Ben sign her a thank you, and then we wander off, across the fair to the designated place I agreed to meet Lacey and our friends.  Rebecca is competing in the beauty pageant this afternoon and has spent the morning getting made up by my mom, my sister, and Lacey.  Momma always sent me these pictures of her dressed up in gaudy evening gowns when I was living in the city.  Last year, she was second runner up, and I’m so...lucky...to get the chance to possibly see her crowned Miss Wytheville later today.

I’d much rather jab needles into my eyes, actually.

Ben delays our travels when he spots a clown doing face painting, and I allow him to stand there for a few moments, watching as the clown paints and makes funny faces.  Later on, I’m sure I’ll be forking over ten bucks to have the same thing done to my son, but I’ll pay it, because he’s been through so much and I want to give back to him if I can.  

“Hey.”

I turn slightly, smile when I see Lacey standing at my side, and I kiss her lips gently.  “Hi.  We got sidetracked a little bit.”

“It’s fine.  You should see your sister though.  She looks stunning, even more than she did last year.  I think she has a shot at this thing.”

I shrug.  “I’ll see her in a bit.”

“You know, if she wins, she gets a fifteen thousand dollar scholarship for state college.  Isn’t that great? Your momma was telling me it would be a burden off her shoulders, since she’s been worried about how the family is going to put her and Garret through college.  Money isn’t what it used to be for farm people.  It’s a shame.”

I nod, slightly.  I know it’s true.  With foreign imports and the cost of equipment going up, we’re lucky that the farm hasn’t gone under.  While my father never goes into specifics with me, I can see the strain on his face most of the time, even when I’ve brought in a good load from the fields.  Our client list just isn’t what it used to be, and I know...his booth this year at the fair is a big deal.  He needs to make money this time.  It’s not about the fun of selling our produce to the locals anymore.  If he doesn’t do well, it could mean bad things for the family come winter.  I wanted to go away to college because I knew times like this were coming.  I thought if I could get ahead, I could clear my fathers machine debt, get him into some new equipment, allow him to hire some more hands too.

But I failed.

I swallow hard, try to push it all out of my mind.  “What’s next?”

She smiles like she knows I’m avoiding the subject, but doesn’t push me about it.  Instead, she takes my hand and gives me a light kiss on the lips.  “Trace and the other boys are trying their luck at the Strong Bell, but I told them you could beat them all.”

“Oh did you?” I laugh, thankful that the subject has become more light hearted.  

“Yeah, the big prize for hitting the bell is dinner for two at Kurt Almond’s,” she sings, sweetly.  “What do you say, honey?  Try for me?”

It would be a nice night out on the town.  Actually, Kurt Almond’s isn’t in Wytheville.  It’s in Greensboro, about forty five minutes from here, but it’s worth the drive.  My parents took me there after I was accepted at NYU, and I can still taste the steak with burgundy glaze to this day.  It’s damn good, but insanely expensive for our area.  “I’ll try, but no promises, okay?”

She squeals, delighted with me, and I pull her close, so she’ll lean her head on my shoulder again, while taking Ben’s hand with my free one.  With all the other problems in my life, in hers, in our families, at least we can have this moment, happy together after everything else.

“Timberlake.”  Trace swats me on the back as we reach the Strong Bell, and smiles widely.  “Heard you’re up to the challenge.  I didn’t hit the top, but I got seven bars from the bell.  It’s tough this year.”

I look up the tall wooden structure, and see the shiny chrome bell sitting at the top. I think it’s taller than any other year I’ve been here, looks nearly impossible to reach the top, even with the strongest whack of the hammer, but I try not to let my insecurities shine through to him.  “Childs play,” I smirk.

“It better be at six bucks a whack,” he chuckles.  “Your girl seems to think you can conquer it though.”

“He can.” Lacey calls to us from her place with Ben and Trace’s family to the right of the Bell.  “All that farm work has built up those puny city muscles of his.”

Trace laughs and then lands his gaze back on me again.  “Glad to see you’re back in the game.”

“Yeah.”  I fish my money out of my wallet and hand it to the man, who hands me the large hammer.  “So am I.”  

I step up to the steel plate, as my friends cheer me on from behind, and I smile, knowing even I if I don’t win a fancy dinner for my girlfriend, at least I’ll still have all that love in my life.  I raise the hammer up over my head, take in a breath, and bring it back down as hard as I can.

When I hear the ding, I’m completely shocked.  I look up, all the way up to the top and see the light flashing.  I really did it, and as stupid as the whole thing is, I feel like I really accomplished something for once.  

“You did it baby!”  I feel Lacey’s arms around me from behind, and I know she’s more than excited about the win.  I turn around and hold her in my arms, letting her kiss me harshly on the lips and laughing when we break apart.

“Burgundy steak,” I sigh, dreamily.  “Farm chores paid off, I guess.”

“Here you go, son.”  The man running the game butts in, and hands me the envelope with the prize inside.  “Have a nice night out.”

“Thanks.” I take it from him, and dangle the envelope in front of my girlfriend.  “You better be a good girl.  Mind your manners and all that, or I might have to ask somebody else to dinner.”

She swats me.  “You better mind your manners.”  

I put my arm around her, suddenly thinking that life can’t really get much better.  

“Justin, where’s Ben?”

I hear Trace say it, and I immediately look over at where he’s standing.  I see him, his pregnant wife who is clutching their daughter by the hand, and look all around, hoping beyond hope that Ben is just hanging around behind them.

But he’s not there. The panic begins to surge inside of me, knowing he could be anywhere.  The fair isn’t exactly small and there’s hundreds of people around.  In all the excitement he probably wandered off, distracted by some amazing thing he’s never seen before.  I feel sick to my stomach.  Why wasn’t I more careful?

He can’t hear me calling out for him, and I doubt many people here know how to sign.  “Oh...God...”  I pull away from my girlfriend, and start to race around the area frantically, searching for my son.  “Shit!”

“I’ll go find the sheriff,” Lacey calls out.

I barely hear her.  I’m too busy freaking the hell out, my mind racing with a million different, horrific things that could happen to my son.  He could get lost, go off with somebody he doesn’t know, he could get hurt by some massive machine...he could drown...

“Honey, goodness what’s the matter?”

I run smack into my mother, who looks just as lost as I feel.  I hate to tell her this way, that I lost my son because I was too busy showing off for my girlfriend.  “Ben wandered off,” I say, half sobbing.  “I...”

“Does the sheriff know?”

“Lacey went to get him.”

“Then let’s start looking, together.  In a few minutes they’ll page for everyone to keep an eye out for him.  Thank God I wrote his name in all of his shirts.  We’ll find him, son.  We will.”

I’d love to believe her, but I know how grim the situation is.  Finding a deaf child at the biggest town event of the year is the same as finding a needle in a haystack.

And I’ll never be able to forgive myself.
Eleven by ialwayzbesingin
“We should have set up a booth here.  Your mother would have made a killing.  I didn’t realize this thing was so big.  We’ll look into it next year, huh?”

Raegan squeezes my hand tighter as we make our way past another booth filled with all kinds of canned, homemade goodies.  I’d love to stop and look, possibly pick out some marmalade and pickled okra to take home, but Raegan’s attention span is that of a small boys, and I can’t take a look at anything here for more than five minutes before he’s pulling me on to the next thing.  My mom was smart, got away while she could in the beginning, and we haven’t seen her since.  I’m sure she’s taking her time at each kiosk, filling her canvas shopping back with various goodies.  I hope that she’s kept me in mind, gotten a few things that I’ll enjoy as well.

“Es?”

“Huh? Oh...yeah, next year.”

I let my guard down at dinner last night.  The food was fabulous.  Raegan took me to this restaurant in Greensboro called Kevin Almond’s, and I ordered the burgundy glazed steak with garlic mashed potatoes.  It was heavenly.  I can still taste it, even now.  The wine was incredible too, paired exactly right with my meal, and I found myself ordering another glass, and then another when Raegan encouraged me to.

I didn’t make it back to the hotel room I shared with my mother last night.  Somehow, I wound up in bed with Raegan instead.  Still tipsy off the wine, I didn’t think about it when he started to kiss me, and barely reacted when my clothes started coming off, piece by piece, his lips covering the bare places on my body immediately after the clothing came off.

I woke up this morning with one of his arms draped over me as he slept on.  My head pounded, my mouth was dry, and I began to ask myself what the hell had happened, because I never went to bed with a man that easily.

Maybe I needed it though.  Maybe I needed to feel a little bit more alive, and since the person I really wanted to spend my time with was out of the picture, Raegan was the next best choice.

Although, he’s back to his usual personality today.  He feels he’s won me over I guess, and that gives him the peace of mind to continue acting like a selfish idiot.  I should have left, told him I was uncomfortable, but I haven’t.  I’ve held his hand, sat down and had ribs with him this afternoon, and let him drag me through the fair at the pace of somebody who is from an urban area.  We did make one longer stop, at the Strong Bell.  He barely made it halfway up the thing, and they gave him a lollipop as a consolation prize, since he landed on the word ‘sucker’.  It was supposed to be funny, but he didn’t see it that way.  He felt embarrassed, called the carni guy a ‘stupid hick’ and tossed the lollipop into a nearby garbage can.

Obviously, he’s not cut out for this type of thing.

Note to self, no more county fairs with Raegan unless it’s business related.

Justin has been slipping in and out of my mind since we arrived in Wytheville this morning.  It was stupid, I kept thinking I was going to see him walking the streets as we drove through the tiny town.  Naturally, that didn’t happen, but when we pulled into the fair’s designated parking area, I couldn’t help but look around, thinking he was going to pop out of a random car.

That didn’t happen either.

There’s been no sign of him all day.  This fair is a week long event though, so we probably came on the day he decided not to show.  It figures, but then again, it’s probably for the best.  What would I say anyway?  His life is different now and so is mine.  It would be more awkward meeting him with Raegan at my side, considering the last time we saw each other, we both had to try our best not to take each other right there in the middle of his tiny studio apartment.

It’s for the best.

But damn, I can’t help but wonder if he’s doing okay.  He’s so close...if not here then just a few miles away at his family’s farm.  It’s really not fair, but it would take a miracle for something to bring us back together.

“I’m going to use the ladies,” I say to Raegan quietly, when we pause at a booth loaded with flowers for more than a few seconds.  “Will you be okay by yourself for a minute?”

“Sure, I’m going to get one of those frozen bananas I saw a few booths back.  You want one?”

“I guess so.”

I don’t know why, but I’m practically running to get away from him.

This is bad.  What am I doing? I don’t really care about Raegan.  He’s just convenient for the moment, and while Sandra would tell me there was no harm in using him for his body, I don’t like playing with his emotions like that, even if he is kind of a jerk.

I duck into a restroom right as an announcement begins to play over the loudspeaker.  It’s something about a lost child, but I barely pay attention.  My mind is swimming with too many confused thoughts about last night, and how I’m going to handle either being, or not being with Raegan in the future.

“D-a-a-d.”

I stop when I hear it.  The restroom looked empty, up until now.  It sounds like a child’s cry, but it’s a strange one.  The voice isn’t normal, it’s sort of muffled, and the cries are too.  “Hello?” I call out.

But there’s no answer.  The crying continues though.

I walk down the row of closed stall doors until I come upon the last one.  It’s open a crack, and I can see a pair of blue and white velcro shoes peeking out from behind the door.  I smirk slightly, and push the door open a little wider so I can try and calm the crying child, but when I see the small boy sitting there, rocking himself back and forth, I feel my heart skip a beat.

It’s Ben.  Ben who isn’t with his father, because he’s probably lost, and that was what the announcement must have been for.  About a deaf child lost in this massive fairground.  

What are the odds of me being the one to find him?  What’s more, I know Justin is here.

Justin is here, and I’m here, and I have no idea how I should feel about that, or what will happen if I see him.  Maybe I shouldn’t.  Maybe I should just discreetly drop Ben off at the sheriff's booth, find Raegan and tell him I’m not feeling well so he’ll bring me back to the hotel.

Right.  Good plan.

I crouch down and give Ben’s hand a little squeeze, and it’s only then that he looks up and gasps when he sees me.  His eyes are wide, like he recognizes me, but he still looks panicked.  I’m sure it was a lot for the little guy to take in, being lost in a place like this.  “Are you okay?” I say it and sign to him.

He nods, and signs out ‘I want Daddy’ before groaning out ‘da-a-d’ again.

“I’ll take you to daddy,” I reassure him, and hold my hand out, which he takes right away, and latches onto tightly.  It’s trembling and my heart sinks.  Poor kid.

We walk a little ways, before I have to ask somebody how to get to the sheriff’s station, and instead of giving me directions, they seem to understand that the child is the lost one, and walk me there themselves.  I thank the man when he leaves me outside of the small office at the end of a row of booths, and take a in long breath before I step inside.  I see the man that looks to be the sheriff standing at a podium when we enter, talking to a woman with light blonde hair.  She’s wearing an apron smeared with various things, and pointing her finger at him as she tells him to ‘try harder’.  

“DAAAD!”  

Ben pulls out of my grasp then, and that’s when I see him, sitting on a chair in the corner, a pretty blonde girl at his side with a consoling hand on his shoulder.  They both perk up when they hear the sound of Ben’s voice, and Justin catches him in his arms, spends the next ten minutes kissing his son’s face and yelling at him to never leave daddy’s side again, even though the boy can’t hear him.

The girl at his side just stares at me, her smile grateful, her gaze slightly cautious when Justin begins to speak again.
r32;“Esme?”

I stare at him for a moment, while Ben curls himself up against his fathers chest.  He looks good, a little tired, but not as fatigued as he was back in the city.  His curly hair is gone, replaced with a shaved head instead which I’m sure is due to the heat of the summer more than anything.  “Hi, Justin.”

“Where on earth did you find him?” The woman I assume is Justin's mother comes up beside me and grasps my hand tightly, her eyes thanking me a million times over.  “We were so worried...thank you...thank you so much.”  She leans in and kisses my cheek.  
r32;“He was hiding in the ladies bathroom.  It was nothing.  I’m just glad I found him before he could wander off someplace else.”

“Well, that’s one issue over with.  Son, you better not let that boy out of your sight the rest of the day, you hear me? I don’t care if there are twelve thousand Strong Bells.  I have a pie contest to win and a sweet booth to run.”

“Yes, ma’am.” Justin’s cheeks turn pink and he lowers his head slightly.
“You come by the my sweet booth in a bit,” Justin’s mother says to me with a smile.  “I’ll have one of my best pies for you.  Thank you so much, again.”

She rushes off, and I’m left standing there with Ben, Justin, and...who I can only assume is his new girlfriend.  

“What...I mean...why are you in Wytheville?” Justin blurts out, next.
 
“My mom is doing a couple of book signings in North Carolina,” I nod.  “Today she’s off and we heard about this, so we wanted to check it out.”

He just stares at me, until his girlfriend clears her throat in annoyance.  

“Oh, Lace...this is Esmerelda.  She’s a friend from New York.  Esme...Lacey.”

“Hi...um, thanks for finding him.  There’s a dance.  A benefit for my brother, later on tonight.  You should come.  I’ll be at the door. You won’t have to pay admission.  C’mon baby.” She squeezes Justin’s hand.  “The pageant is going to start soon.”

“I’ll be along.”  He reassures her, giving her a light kiss.  She stares at him, questioning why he wouldn’t follow obediently, but gives up soon enough.  

“I’ll...I’ll be at the tent,” she says quietly.

Justin only nods, and then she leaves.

I let out the breath I was holding.  Damn, that was awkward.  Speaking of awkward, I’m sure Raegan is wondering where the hell I went, but standing here in front of Justin is forcing me to forget about him right now.  

“How, um...” Justin pauses, shifts Ben in his arms a little, and smirks.  “How are you?”

“I’ve been okay, I guess.  I wasn’t going to do this with my mom, but...my parents split up and she needs me right now.”

“Sorry to hear, but you knew that was coming, didn’t you?”

“I did.”

He nods.  

“How...how are things here?”

“You know, they’re going.” He laughs a little, but doesn’t look me in the eye.  “Ben is doing great, he’s made some friends, now...he just needs to learn to not wander away, but I think this whole fair thing was a little overwhelming for him, anyway.  I’m thankful somebody found him but...it’s you.  I’m a little shocked.  I didn’t think I’d see you again.”

“Well, you didn’t write.”

He’s silent, won’t look at me.  He knows what he did, and I get the feeling he did it on purpose.  Like it hurt him too much to write me because he was so far away.  “I know I didn’t.”

I don’t ask him why, don’t get into it, because it’s not the time or place.  He’s got things going on.  A lot of things, like his life here with his new girlfriend.  “How long have you guys been dating?”

“Since high school,” he laughs, but it’s a sad one.  “We’re trying round two.”

“Well...that’s great.”

“Yeah.”

“Well it was...really great seeing you, Justin.”

He looks at me, silent for a moment.  “You look great.”

Really?

He presses his lips together.  “I um...I better get going.  My sister is in the beauty pageant.  My mom will kill me if I miss it, since the drama today is because of me anyway,” he says quickly, as he gets up with his son still in his arms.  “Maybe I’ll see you at the dance?”

“Oh...I don’t think so.  Gotta get back to the hotel with mom, you know how it is.”

“Oh right...yeah.”

We stare at each other for another few moments.  That lingering is still there.  That want, that emotion between us that’s always been.  I want to just...take him, run out of here with him, keep him all for myself.

But I can’t.

“Good luck, Justin.”

“Thanks.”

I walk away, forcing the tears back.

Fuck, really?  That’s it?  

I guess so.
Twelve by ialwayzbesingin
“I’m Miss Wytheville!”

“You looked so beautiful honey, really....here you go, darlin’, enjoy it...” My mom hands a pie off to another happy customer before continuing her conversation with my sister.  “...I’m so proud of you.  Everybody is.”

She looks at me, narrows her eyes, expecting me to congratulate my sister for the thousandth time tonight.

“Yeah, I’m really proud of you, Bec,” I smile for her.  “You’re really great at all that pageant stuff.”

“Thanks, Justin,” she rolls her eyes at me because it wasn’t the most sincere compliment I’ve ever given her.  “Momma so...can I bring Anderson as my date? You know, to the dance?”

Momma huffs and doesn’t look at my sister.  “That’s not up to me.  You know your daddy’s rules.  You’ll have to ask him.”

“Fine.”

My dad has always had this thing with my sisters, not allowing them to date until they’re out of high school.  When we were younger, I used to have to cover for Karen every time she would sneak out of the house to go with a boy.  She actually paid me.  I got double allowance for six months one year because she was dating this kid in her class.  I bought myself a car with part of that money, so in a way we’re even, despite the fact that I had to take a few punishments from my parents because of her escapades.  Dad is pulling the same crap with Rebecca, only...she’s a little goody two shoes and wouldn’t dream of defying our father.

She’s always been his favorite.  Never mine, though.  We’ve never been that close, even though Garret and I have always gotten along well.  She’s always siding with dad, about everything, and constantly pointing out Garret’s faults in front of our folks.  I love her, she’s my sister, but I don’t really like her.  In fact, I was glad to be rid of her when I went to college.  Now that I’ve gone back to seeing her on a daily basis, I try to avoid her however I can.  The last thing I need is her running to dad with something that she doesn’t like about me.  I have enough problems.

Especially today.

She looked...great.  I couldn’t believe it was her.  Of all the places, of all the people and children she could have come across, she found Ben, and found me too.  Lacey was there, but I couldn’t focus, I couldn’t concentrate.  All I could really do was stare at her, take her all in, because I realized she looked even better than she had that night in my apartment.  There was this new, revitalized look of professionalism about her...like she’d gotten everything she ever wanted and was living a great life.  A life I couldn’t be a part of, but I was still happy for her.

I wanted to pull her close, tell her that I was so happy for her, but I couldn't touch her, couldn’t go near her, because my girlfriend was there, and even when she wasn’t...I felt too awkward to do anything else but sit there and stare at Esme like a fool.

I regret it, a little.  I wish I could have hugged her, told her that...she was special to me and would always be, even if we couldn’t be together.  That she always gave me something to look forward to every Friday at three fifteen.

I wish I could have told her how much I miss her.

But she’s gone again, I doubt she’ll go to the dance, and that means I’ve lost her all over again.  Part of me feels that I should have taken the opportunity, begged her to stay, talk...that we could find a way to make something work out between us...

That’s silly though.  I’ve got a good thing going down here, and I care about Lacey.  I can’t throw it all away for something that I’m not even that sure about.

It’s better this way.

At least, I keep trying to make myself believe that.

“Well I’m gonna talk to daddy,” Rebecca pouts as she slides off the stool she’s been perched on since we walked into the pie tent a little while ago.  “I just won the whole frickin’ pageant.  He’ll have to understand.”

“Do your best, darlin’,” my mother says to her with a sigh.  “Just don’t come cryin’ to me when he doesn’t let you have your way.”

My sister says nothing, just tosses her hair back behind her shoulder and storms off.

“Sometimes I wonder whether she got switched at the hospital.” Momma says it to me quietly, and smirks.

I smile back.  “Nah.  She’s got the classic Timberlake nose.”

“True,” she laughs.  “Did you send Ben off with Ann and Trace?”

“Yeah.  They said they’ll bring him by in the morning.”

“Good.  Hopefully he’ll be relaxed enough to fall asleep there tonight.  Poor thing had such a rough day.  Anyway, you better start headin’ off to the dance, son.”

“I’ll go in a bit.  Lacey’s busy running the fundraiser with her mom anyway.”

Momma nods, and sells a few more pies, before slowly turning to meet my gaze again.  There’s a million questions in her eyes now, like she’s been waiting for this opportunity all day.  “I heard that girl that found Ben was somebody you know.”

I’m sure Lacey said something.  I’m not angry, I guess I just wish she could have kept that information to herself.  Now I have to explain Esmerelda to my mother, who won’t understand, because she wasn’t in the city and never met her before today.  “She’s...she’s just this girl I met in the city.”

“What’s she doing here?”

“Her mother is a writer.  She’s been promoting her new book in North Carolina.  They came here on a whim and...somehow, she found Ben.  Crazy, huh?”

“Did you date this girl?”

She says it icily, as if Esme could be a threat to my relationship with Lacey.  That’s my mothers problem.  She views Lacey as the only woman who is right for me, because she has that small town mentality and she always will.  She doesn’t understand the big world that’s out there, or how good Esme made me feel for that short time that I was able to spend with her every week, and on our one and only date.  “I didn’t get the chance to.”

“Well, I suggest that you stay away from that whole situation, Justin.”  Momma crosses her arms and narrows her eyes at me in that commanding way that always forces me to listen to her.  “Things have been going well down here.  Your father can’t stop talking about what a help you’ve been.  He’s even considering helping you and Lacey buy a house, once you cave in and marry the girl.  That’s what Ben needs, a stable family, not you running around chasing after some girl you barely know.”

“Geez, Momma.”  I get up and shove my hands in my pockets.  “I’m not doing that.  I just said hello to the girl, that’s all.  Lacey and I are working on things.  I’m not breaking up with her or anything.”

“Just make sure you don’t, son.”

She turns away and begins to talk to more customers that saunter up to the counter.

Esme never took my mom up on her offer for pie.  Maybe that’s why she’s so bitter tonight.

It’s bullshit though, no matter how I look at it.  I need to make sure I’m with Lacey for the right reasons, not just because my folks think it’s the best thing.  I don’t want to end up married and miserable.  There’s too much of that in the world, and in a way, Ben and I have already been through that once with Tory.  I won’t let it happen again.

I walk up behind my mother, who I know is doing her best to forget I’m even here, but I feel her give in when I place my hands on her shoulders.  She’s afraid for me, that’s obvious, but I don’t want her to be.  I’m independent and I can handle my own life.  Sure, I messed up in New York, but that doesn’t mean I need to live my life by her guidelines.  “Momma.”

“Go on, get yourself to the dance.  I’ll be by just as soon as they close this tent down.”

“I wish you wouldn’t worry about me so much,” I tell her gently.

She turns then, stares at me, and sniffles slightly.  “It’s hard for me not to worry about you, son.  It’s hard for me to think that...something might make you want to leave home again.”

That’s what this is all about.  She wants her children close.  There’s six of us, but the farthest any of us live from the farm now is about forty minutes.  “You know...I can’t promise I won’t move eventually.”

“But you have every reason to stay, Justin.  Every reason.  I know...part of the reason you wanted to leave was because of Grandma.  Nobody wanted her to go that way, dear.  You know that, and I doubt she would have wanted you to walk away from the family because of how her death affected you.”

It’s the last thing I want to talk about tonight, and I quickly back away from momma.  “I...I don’t want to talk about it.”

“You never do.”

My Nanna was one of the biggest parts of my life.  We spent more time together, I think, than I spent with momma.  I could talk to her...she was creative, like me.  She liked to read all of my short stories, and gave me insight on them.  Every week, without fail, we would go down to the bookstore and scope the place out, try to pick out the best titles to read so we could discuss the story lines together later on.  Nobody in the family ever really understood how special she was to me, and...when she suddenly had a heart attack my junior year and passed away, I never got over it.

It’s one of the biggest reasons I wanted to get out of Wytheville.  I just missed her too much.  I felt like I couldn’t stay.  Even now, it’s hard being home, but I’ve sucked it up, tucked the memories of her away.  Now momma has to shove it all in my face, on a day like today.

“I’ll see you at the hall.”  I say it, and walk away quickly so I won’t be able to give my momma a dirty look.  Everybody knows that’s cause for disaster in our family.

I get to the dance hall fifteen minutes later, and spot Lacey immediately, standing out front, greeting people as they walk inside.  She freshened up before she came, changed into a dress that makes her look even more beautiful, and I’d be crazy to think I don’t have it made with her in my life.  I mean, she really is a good woman.  I can’t deny that.  She’s supportive and knows how to be a loving partner.

But do I love her?  With my whole heart?

After seeing Esme today I’m not so sure, and I can tell my mother knows that too.

But I don’t want to hurt Lacey.  Not after how patient and understanding she’s been when it comes to me, and Ben too.  As far as living here goes, if I was to stay, she’d be the best person to have in my life.  She loves this town and treasures the same values that I always have.

But out in the real world, we’d never work.  She’s not into the big picture like I am.  She never has been.  She’s satisfied living here, marrying somebody, and becoming an excellent homemaker just like her mother was before her daddy left.

“Hey love.”  She smiles when I make my way up to the door, and kisses me lightly.  “Is Ben all set?”

“Trace and Ann took him back to their place.”

“So it’s you and me for the night, huh?”

“Looks that way,” I smile gently.

“Are...are we okay?”  She touches the hand resting on her face and whispers it, her eyes full of uncertainty.

It takes me a minute to answer her, because I’m...I’m a little unsure of the answer.  I know I can’t do this to her though.  I can’t pretend I’m ready for her, ready to settle down here, because it’s the way my life was always supposed to be.

“I’m not sure.” I say, a little proud of myself for being honest.

“What?”

“I just...I don’t know if I’m cut out for all of this.  It was never my ambition to stay in Wytheville forever, and live a small town life.  You know that.  It’s why we broke up in the first place.  You didn’t want to leave, and you still don’t.”

r32;“But now you’re back,” she says desperately.  “We’re working on things.  Ben...Ben is happy.  We have a good thing, Justin.  If we try...in a year or two...your father is...”

“I don’t want the farm,” I tell her, realizing it’s the first time I’ve admitted it to anybody.  “I never have.  I just...I don’t have the money to live anywhere else right now.  I’m doing my best to save, and once I have enough, I’m going to get a place of my own so my parents can’t mandate me to farm work forever.”

“So what...what are you saying, Justin?” she begins to sob.  “Are you saying that you don’t want to be with me? That you want to give up everything we’ve been doing for the past couple of months?  I thought we loved each other...”

“I wanted to believe I loved you,” I say, sadly.  “But I don’t know if I will in a year.  The last thing I want to do is hurt you, Lace.  You’ve always been one of my best friends.”

“Best friends?” She scoffs.  “I didn’t make all this effort so you could decide that we should just be friends.”

I just shrug.

“You’re a bastard,” she grits it out through her teeth, as more tears travel down her face.  “I feel like you just...used me!”

“I didn’t use you...”

She slaps me, and I hold my face, but say nothing to her.

“How could you do this?”

I just look at her, still holding my throbbing jaw.  “I’m sorry.”

“Yeah? Well so am I!”

She storms away, sobbing harshly, and I’m sure my momma will hear all about this within minutes.  But there’s nothing I can do.  I’ve made my mind up, and I have to stick with my decisions, show people that I have a mind of my own and I’ll live my life the way I want to.  It’s how my Nanna always raised me up to be.

And I think she’d be proud of me, if she were here.
Thirteen by ialwayzbesingin
“Tell me again why we’re here?”

“It’s something fun to do.”

He rolls his eyes.  He’s not feeling this dance, not at all.  It’s a world away from the posh night clubs and chic lounges he frequents.  This thing is inside of a dusty old dance hall, and the music of choice is mo stly bluegrass and country rock...not Raegan’s thing.  It’s not really mine either, but I’m not here for the music.

I tried so hard to push him out of my head, on the way back to hotel and when I was back in the room, sorting through my mothers sack of goodies from today.  Somehow though, my mind kept drifting back to him, to his little boy.  I wanted so badly to talk to him again, to catch up...to find out...if he still saw me in that way.

I decided that I couldn’t stay away.  I had to see him again, and then I remembered that dance that was mentioned to me.  The one I was invited to for finding Ben, and I decided I needed to go.  In my hurry to prepare myself, I completely forgot that Reagan had decided we go out tonight, and he came knocking at the door just as I was about to slip out while my mother was in the shower.  He asked me if I was ready, and what could I do? I didn’t want to go to the place he’d picked, but I didn’t want to bring him back to Wytheville either.

“There’s this dance back in Wytheville.” It slipped out before I stopped myself.  “I....I was hoping we could go.  I think it’ll be nice.”

He didn’t seem very enthusiastic, and I hoped he would have ditched me instead, but in the end he agreed to take me, because he wanted to spend the night out with me.  

It hasn’t helped the guilt at all, having him here, and I know it’s going to be awkward when Justin and Raegan finally get to meet each other.  The situation is already awkward enough for me. As it is, the girl that I’m certain Justin is dating was at the door, handing out pamphlets that talk about her brother’s illness.  She was accepting five dollar admission fees, but recognized me and let us pass, not without giving me a sideways glare, warning me not to cause any trouble tonight.

I have to know though.

I have to know why this thing with Justin won’t go away, why he keeps popping up in my life and I keep popping up in his, and I won’t feel right going home unless I know for sure that we don’t have any real feelings for each other.  Raegan, unfortunately, was an unexpected tag along, but I’m running with it.  After all, he’s not really my boyfriend...

Just some guy that I’m now sleeping with.

I sound like Sandra, and if she knew what was going on right now, I’m convinced she’d book the first flight out here to see all the action unfold.

At least she’ll be proud of me when I get back to the city.

“I gotta take a piss.”  Raegan says it miserably, and doesn’t give me a response before he wanders away in search of a bathroom.

Okay, I’m being ridiculous, like some little teenage dreamer chasing after her favorite celebrity.  I knew this wouldn’t work, and really, if I have an ounce of consideration for his feelings I’ll tell him we should leave as soon as he comes back.

But then I see him.

He’s not in that plaid button down shirt and jeans combo I saw him in earlier.  He’s cleaned himself up, put on a dress shirt, tie, and black slacks to match.  His shoes are formal, but scuffed, probably because it’s the only pair he can afford at the moment, and his arm isn’t around Lacey.  She’s nowhere to be found at the moment, in fact.  He’s standing with a young couple instead, their conversation filled with laughter.  Friends of his, I’m sure.

I shouldn’t stare, this isn’t the bookstore.

I try to look away, but I can’t.  Just like the bookstore, he’s captivated me from the very moment I set eyes on him.  Eventually, he feels it, notices me as he turns his head to find out who is stalking him.

And he smiles.

I look away.  God, how embarrassing.  He’s with his friends and family, and the last thing I want to do is cause trouble.

I should leave.  Where the hell is Raegan?

“Hey.”

It took him all of thirty seconds to break away from his group and come over to me.  He’s staring into my eyes as he awaits my response, but if anything, he seems overjoyed that I bothered to show up.  “Hey.”

“I didn’t think you’d come to this,” he chuckles.

“Me either.”

He looks around me for a few seconds.  “Did you come by yourself?”

“Well I...”

“That bathroom is disgusting...oh...hello.”

Raegan.

I look up at him, and he’s staring at Justin, perplexed, like he’s invading my space.  I’m sure he thinks Justin is some guy that’s come to hit on me, and he’s not entirely wrong.  “Um, Raegan...this is Justin.”

The confusion doesn’t leave his expression.  He continues to stare at Justin, but his face is getting red, and his frown is growing into an angry sneer.

“I’m a friend of Esme’s.  I used to live in New York.” Justin says it brightly, with a hint of smugness and sticks is hand out for Raegan to shake.  “I didn’t know she was dating anybody.”

I don’t meet his eye line.  

“Raegan Benter,” he says quietly, and it takes him a moment to return Justin’s handshake, but he does it, because he’s a professional.  “I guess now I know why Es seemed so excited to come to Wytheville.”

It was a shot at me, even though he isn’t looking at me.  I feel my cheeks burning, and I want to leave...right now.

“Excited, really?”  Justin smiles.  “Were you?”

I just shrug.

“I think we should talk.”

Lacey comes up to us, and she looks horrible.  Her eyes are all red, and the makeup running down her face is a dead giveaway that she’s been crying for a while now.  They must have fought.  Perhaps they broke up, or...were trying to.  But Lacey doesn’t seem like the type of girl that will go down without a fight.  She’s glaring at me too.  It’s obvious that she doesn’t trust me around her boyfriend, and if she knew the reality of it, she’d probably throw me out of here.

“Lacey...” Justin begins, with a heavy sigh.

“Please, baby,” she whimpers.  “I’m sorry about...what I did.”

“I um...I better go.” Justin decides, with a regretful sigh.  “You two enjoy yourselves, all right?”

“Yeah, we will.”

He’s lead away quickly, into the mass of people on the dance floor.  I get a sinking feeling in my stomach, the same one I felt when I walked out of his apartment that night in New York.  The one that tells me I need to try a little harder, because Justin is important.

It’s not fair.

“You get that all out of your system now?”

Raegan sounds angry, and when I look at him, I can tell he’s furious.  “I wasn’t...”

“Give me a break.  You wanted to come here to see him, didn’t you?”

“I...no.  He’s just a friend.”

“That’s bullshit, Esmerelda.”

I swallow hard, and look down at the ground.  He’s not stupid.  

“You know...I thought...I really thought that you were starting to like me,” he laughs, bitterly.  “Especially after the other night.”

“I was drunk, Raegan.  You took it out of context.”

He steps closer to me, his hands on his hips.  “Did I?  Or were you just leading me on?”

“Raegan...”

“Fuck...nevermind, let’s just go.  I should have known better.  I knew it.”

He storms away from me and a moment later he reaches the door, and bangs through it.

Just great.  I may not be in love with the guy, I may not like him all that much, but I didn’t want to hurt him.  I know I need to go out there and talk to him, calm him down and tell him that while we had fun, I was never really serious.  I need to try and apologize, because I’m sure my mother is going to have a conniption once he tells her what I’ve done.

At the same time though, I don’t want to leave.  Not now.  Not when I have such good eye candy.

I sound like a fuckin’ stalker.

For the first time in my life, I feel like I’m the bad guy.  I guess I am.  I hurt a family friend and I’m almost ready to stay here for my own selfish desires.  What am I doing? This isn’t right.  I’m going.  I am.

I strut across the dance hall, almost certain that I pass Justin’s mother on the way, sitting with a bunch of other ladies.  They’re whispering and sending strange looks my way as I pass by, but I pretend not to notice.  I reach the door just as the songs begin to change, and push it open, the tears threatening to come streaming down my face.

“Now, you weren’t really going to leave without saying goodbye, were you?”

It’s him.  Why does it have to be him right now, here, when his family, friends, not to mention his girlfriend are watching his every move?  I want to keep moving, but when I feel his hand on my shoulder, I find that I can’t.  I’m trapped, and I have to turn around and look at him.  My eyes automatically meet his.  They’re vibrant tonight, full of laughter after what I know has probably been a long day for him.  

“I think it’s better this way,” I say, gently.  “I already made the situation awkward enough.”

He laughs slightly, looks down at the floor and shoves his hands in his pockets before meeting my gaze again.  “I don’t know if you really understand...when I moved to the city, none of the people here were all that supportive.  I don’t care what people think, Es.   But I do care that you’re basically running out on me, when we’ve barely had a chance to talk.”

“We’ve never had a chance to really talk.”

“I know.”

“What about your girlfriend?”

“I don’t know.” He says it honestly.  “I was sure about her yesterday, when you weren’t here.  I told her about you just now, and about how I might feel.  I didn’t want to hide it, because I respect her.  You...seeing you, has made me realize some things.  Now...I’m not so sure my life has to be this way, you know?”

“What way?”

“Like my parents planned for it to be.  It’s like, the minute I was settled, my father was ready to make me his right hand man while my momma went to work, setting me up with my old girlfriend again.  Besides Ben, they’re trying to make it as if I never even left.”

“Is that so bad?”

“It wasn’t horrible, but then...you showed up.  You’re not like everybody I grew up with.  It’s different out there, in your world, Es.  I guess you kind of jolted me awake, and made me realize why I decided to leave here in the first place.”

I realize what I’ve done, and I’m not sure if it’s the best thing.  Justin was settled here.  Ben was fine, his parents had completely accepted the situation, and were working on making him comfortable again.  Until today, they were happy he was home, and more than willing to turn him back into the man they always intended.  I don’t know if that’s fair.  Justin, I know, has always been a little more free spirited...beyond a small town.  He was meant to do something, and if Ben wasn’t around, I think his life would be very different.  “But Justin, what about Ben?”

“If my finances were more secure, I’d pack us both up tomorrow.  You know I can’t do that, at least...not on what my father is paying me.  It’ll take a long time to save up enough to leave here again, and I don’t know if I can rip Ben away from all of this once he’s established friends and a routine here.  It wouldn’t be fair, and he’s always come first with me.  For now, I’m just concentrating on saving up enough to move off my family’s farm.  At least that way, I won’t have to do something I hate every day.”

“So you’re just going to stand by...let your dreams go?”

“I have to.  But if...if I have to, at least let me dance with you so we can say goodbye properly.  It would mean a lot to me, unless your boy there...”

“He’s not my boyfriend,” I blurt out.  “He’s a family friend that...I guess I made a mistake with.”

“He looked a little to suave to be the one for you,” he laughs.  “So...how about it?”

He’s holding his hand out, and I stare down at it.  He’s still wearing that watch.  The one with the tattered leather strap, and I have to laugh slightly.  “Are you ever going to get a new watch?”

“Oh...”  He glances at it and smirks.  “It’s sentimental.  My grandmother gave it to me before she passed away.  It was her fathers.  She was...special.  You remind me of her a little bit, actually.”

“Me?”

He grabs my hand and pulls me close to him before I have a chance to escape.  “Yeah.  You’re creative, and smart.  She was like that too.  I think, if it wasn’t for her rubbing off on me, I wouldn’t be this way....writing and everything.  She used to critique all of my stuff.  I haven’t let anyone read my writing since her.”

“Hm.” I smirk slightly.  “I’d be honored if you’d give me a chance to see it.”

“Well, maybe I can change things.”  He smiles at me.  “I’m always looking for a good editor.  I think you’d do a good job.  You’re really good at focusing.”

We both laugh.

He’s pulling me out to the dance floor now, and I can’t stop him, despite the fact that all eyes are on us right now.  It’s a small town, and while I didn’t grow up in one, I can tell that this is probably the biggest thing that’s happened since Justin’s homecoming.  Still, I don’t pay attention.  Time has seemed to stop, because he’s gripping me gently by the waist right now, and staring right into my eyes as a new song begins to play.  I feel like I’m in the middle of some fantastic dream, like I’ve had in the past, starring him.

But this is no dream.

“I wanted to write you,” he continues as we dance slowly together.  “But I was...scared, I guess.  I was scared that I’d get your email and I’d miss you even more than I already did.  You know...I’ve tried not to, but you’re basically all I’ve thought about, and I’m not sure I understand why.”

It dawns on me that I’m not as crazy as I thought.  While I’ve thought about him, always, he’s been doing the same thing.  It hurt him too much to write, because of how far apart we were, and knowing him a little better now, seeing the type of person he is, allows me to understand.  I think it’s the thing with his grandmother.  I can tell they were very close, and losing her might have caused him to push most people away, cover up his feelings, and being away from me was too much for him.  “I’ve thought about you everyday.”

He smiles and reaches his hand up to caress my face.  “Do you think this is crazy?”

“Yeah.”  I put my hand up to his, so he’ll keep it there, on my cheek.  “But I don’t want you to stop.”

Then he kisses me, just like he did that night in his apartment, but it’s even more powerful this time.  He’s not scared of me anymore, even if his family and friends, and Lacey are all able to see how he feels.  This is what he wants, and...I know it’s what I want too.

“You’re in trouble,” I laugh, after we finally break apart.

“I know.  You wanna get out of here?”

I stare at him, at a loss for words.  I know I have no idea what the night will bring, if I’ll wake up in his arms, or I’ll be calling a taxi to take me back to North Carolina because things didn’t work out.  It’s a gamble, but so was hoping that he’d notice me every Friday at three fifteen.

“Let’s go,” I smile.
Fourteen by ialwayzbesingin
She’s beautiful when she sleeps, like a dream.  I haven’t allowed my eyes to close once since we stopped making love, hours ago.  I pulled her close to me after we were done, kissed her softly, and told her to get some rest.  She did it without a question.  She was exhausted.  I was too but...I was too captivated and caught up in her to let my energy give out completely.  Instead I continued to lay there, staring at her, brushing the hair out of her eyes, letting the tips of my fingers travel down the perfect skin on her face.

There’s nowhere else I want to be, ever , and I know that.

There’s no question.  I’m in love with Es.  I think I was right.  I really was in love with her from the very beginning.

But I know once the sun has risen, and I get her where she needs to be, there’s going to be a lot of explaining to do on my part.

I don’t know what momma will say, or what my father will do to me when I walk in the house.  I wonder if they’ll throw me out, force me to pack myself and my son up today.  I wouldn’t have a place in the world to go if they did that.  I think they know that though, and if nothing else, they’d let Ben stay.  But the thing is, I wouldn’t leave my son.  Ever.

I brush all of it to the side though.  It’s not time to worry about all of that yet.  I still have time,  this precious little bit of time left with her, oblivious to the problems looming overhead, and I’ll cherish these moments, because I cherish her.  

“Did you sleep?”  She smiles sleepily as her eyes open up again.

“Not really,” I laugh, and kiss her gently.  “The sun isn’t all the way up yet.  You can go back to sleep.”

“I don’t want to.”  She snuggles up closer to my bare chest, and I hold her close.  “That’s less time I get to talk to you.”

I smile, stroke her hair, pulling pieces of hay out of it.  Yes, I brought her up to Branson’s old place.  It’s been abandoned since I was in high school, but just like small towns are notorious for, nobody has torn the place down yet.  The barn still stands, strong as ever, filled with hay.  Most of the people I grew up with came here at one point or another in their lives, with their women, to have some fun.  I’m a little old for this sort of thing now, and I know she is too, but she didn’t protest when I drove us up here and parked.  In fact, she was the first one to get out of the truck, and lead me inside by the hand.  

I never thought a roll in the hay could be so damn passionate.  I’ve never been like this with any woman, ever.

“When do you have to leave?” I ask her.

“My mom has another signing today, in Greensboro.  Then we’re supposed to fly to Houston in the morning.”  She shifts herself in my arms so she can get a better look at me.  “Maybe I can stay though...you know?”

I’d love for her to stay.  I’d love to spend a week with her, really get to know her, romance her, take her around town and show her all the places I used to go when I was a kid.  The problem is, my family would make her time here hell, and I’m sure momma would never let her stay at the house.  “I wish you could,” I whisper.

A knowing expression takes over, and she sighs.  “But your family wouldn’t like it?”

“It would just be hard for them.  They’re so set in their ways about me.  I wish I could come with you, to Houston...but I know with Ben...your mom wouldn’t...”

“Yeah, it wouldn’t work.”

We’re quiet.  

It hits me that this isn’t going to work, as much as I love her, as much as she’s starting to love me, the people in our lives are preventing us from taking it any further.  I press my lips together.  I have to, so I won’t start screaming and yelling like a crazy man.  “Can I tell you something then?”

“Anything.”

I lean down, and kiss her again, letting my lips linger on hers for the longest time before I find the strength to tell her the words.  “I’m in love with you.”

She stares back at me, her eyes wide, as if she can’t believe it.

I don’t know if I should feel foolish or not for saying it.

“I think I’m...I’m in love with you.”

I smirk, but it’s a sad one.  “Would you wait for me...to get enough money saved so we could be together?”

She takes in a deep breath, before looking me right in the eyes again.  “I wouldn’t want to promise you that...in case it didn’t work out.”

I nod.  It’s understandable, because I have no idea when money will be good again.  “That’s why you’re the smart one, Es.”

A single tear floats down her cheek, and I wipe it away tenderly.

“It’s not fair, you know?” She whispers.

“I know.”

She curls into my chest again, and I hold her, because I know she needs it.  We have an hour, maybe a little less, before we have to get out of here.  I’ll probably drive the forty five minutes, drop her in Greensboro, and after a sad goodbye...she’ll be out of my life again.

“Justin.”

“Hm?”

“What if I could have somebody look at your writing.  Somebody...important.  Do you have anything that’s good enough?”

I give her a weird look.  “Well...I’ve been working on a book of short stories forever but...”

“Do you trust me?”

It’s strange.  I’ve never let anybody else into that part of me, not even Tory.  Junior year, after Nana passed, I started writing one short story a month, to commemorate her.  She was the one who always told me never to stop writing.  That if it was my passion, I had to do it to the very best of my ability.  I have about forty short stories that I’ve written, mostly about the countryside, and about people growing up in a small town.  I’m quite proud of most of them, actually.  But...to have somebody take them seriously, I just don’t know.  I don’t know if I’m ready to share that part of myself with the world, because I’ve hidden it away for such a long time.  Writing for a paper was my main goal, because it was a realistic, unemotional one.

“I...I do but...”

“Raegan is a book agent,” she says quickly.  “It’s his job to find talent.  He’s my moms agent, but he’s always looking for more clients.  If I show him...”

“I doubt he’ll want to read my stuff.  He probably wants to punch me.”

“He’ll have to take it seriously if it’s good enough.  If he decides to manage your work, you’ll be able to do whatever you want.  You’ll have enough money to move anywhere, even the city.”

“I don’t know, Es.  I mean...”

“The worst that can happen is that he rejects it. There’s two sides of the relationship that I have with him...well, really one now.  It’s a professional one.  Don’t forget, if your work is good enough, he makes money too.”

It’s an incredible shot at my dream.  If I can get money for my work, I can live the life I want and give Ben the life he deserves too.  But it seems too good to be true.  We’re both in the heat of the moment here, coming off a night of incredible passion, and I doubt anyone like Raegan will want to me a favor now.  “I...”

“We could be together,” she says quickly.  “We might have a chance.”

I stare at her, knowing she wants this for us, badly.  Esme isn’t stupid either, she knows an opportunity when she sees one, and even without reading my work, she’s convinced that it’s good enough for the world to see.  It makes me love her more, makes me want to do anything to run off with her and my son, escape this small town life for good.  “You think he’ll read it?”

“If I word it right,” she smiles, slyly.  “He’s a great businessman, but he has no common sense.”

“Why do I think you’re up to something?”

 “Because I am.”

She doesn’t give me a chance to respond, she just kisses me, and soon enough it grows into much more, just as it did last night.

I’m not getting home anytime soon, but I know I didn’t want to anyway.
Fifteen by ialwayzbesingin
“I’d open up two more.”

I nod and do it, placing the books on top of the table when I get them out of the box and remove the plastic protective wrap around them.  Our flight took off at six this morning, and we got into Houston a few hours ago . While my mom went to rest at the hotel, Raegan and I went to the bookstore to scope it out and set up everything for the signing this afternoon.  He’s been surprisingly civil with me, considering what happened, but then again, we’ve always been able to maintain a professional relationship when it comes to my mothers career.  That’s how he is, and it’s why I’m confident I can show him Justin’s book, that he’ll take it seriously.

If he doesn’t it’s crazy, and even though I might be a little biased, I can’t deny that I couldn’t put it down at the airport and during the flight to Houston this morning.  It’s very good, very well written for an amateur.  There’s forty stories in total, and I haven’t gotten through them all.  They all involve the same boy, the same family.  I know he based the characters off himself and his family, even though the names of the people and places aren’t the same.  There’s emotion in every sentence.  It made me laugh, made me tear up at times, and I’m still not done.  

The last story I read, was about the boys grandmother passing away, and I could tell...that was the one that was the hardest for Justin.

I think I’ve gotten to know almost everything about him through his stories, and that makes him a great author.  One that Raegan shouldn’t pass up, and I’m going to ensure he gets a look at the book, no matter what.  After all, he doesn’t have to know who the author is right away.  As long as he sees dollar signs after he reads the first story, that’s all that counts.  That’s what will ensure Justin’s future.

Our relationship.

It’s so premature, but I really can’t deny how deep my feelings go for him.  He drove me all the way back to Greensboro yesterday, his fingers laced through mine, a soft smile on his face as I talked to him about this or that.  It didn’t matter, he was just happy being there with me, and it was so hard...so damn hard to say goodbye to him.

“I’ll see you soon,” he promised me, as we stood outside the hotel.  “Don’t worry.”

“Write me,” I said, after I kissed him.  “Promise me you’ll write.”

This time, I could see it in his eyes, that he wouldn’t have missed out on it for the world.  “I’ll write you everyday until you come back to me.  I’ll call you too, every night.”

It was sappy, but that’s one of the things I love about him.  He’s more emotional than people think...more romantic, more caring.  His family can’t see it.  He’s too closed off with them due to one thing or the other.  Being one of six kids, as I found out from his stories, must have something to do with it.

“We’ll make it work,” I told him, as he turned back to his rickety old pick up truck.  “I know it, Justin.”

He turned back to me, and pushed away from his truck, not being able to contain himself.  He caught my lips with his and swept me up in another long kiss.  I knew he didn’t want to let me go, and it was killing him inside, that he had to go back home.

“I love you,” he whispered.

“I love you too.”

He kissed me again, and had to force himself to leave after that.  I watched him go, trying my best not to break down.  

It’s so hard.  

It shouldn’t be this hard for two people to be together, and it might be selfish, but I’m going to use Raegan to my advantage if I can.  Being with Justin is the happiest I’ve ever felt, and I know...I just know that if we had the chance to be together full time, we’d never be apart again.

“It should be a good turn out.  The manager here told me they’ve had people on the waiting list for weeks,” Raegan tells me, once everything is in it’s proper place.  He stands with his hands on his hips, peering out into the huge bookstore, his eyes glistening with profit.

“I bet.”

He glances at me.  “You know, Es...about the other night...”

“It doesn’t matter,” I say quickly.  “You had every right to be angry.”

“Maybe we should just stick to being friends,” he says gently.  “I think...I think it’s for the best.”

If I could find a way to let confetti rain down from the ceiling, I’d do it.  “That’s a great idea, Raegan.”

He smirks, slightly.  “Good.”

“Hey...are you reading right now?”

He shrugs, as he goes back to staring out into the store.  “I’m always reading.  Why?”

“I think I might have something for you.”

He laughs.  “Don’t tell me you’ve started writing now too?”

“Well no, a friend of mine wrote it.”

He glances at me.  “Yeah?”

I nod, and reach into my purse, pulling out the binder filled with Justin’s book.  “I think you’d be interested.”

He gives me a suspicious look, but takes it anyway, opening up the black cover as soon as the thing is in his hands.  His eyes shift around, pages turn, and I know he’s doing his normal skimming that he usually does with something new.  “Comfort fiction.” He mumbles it, but the pages keep turning.  “Like something you’d curl up with on the couch during a rainy day.  It’s relatable, people will like it.  What’s the title?”

“There’s no title yet.”

He stops reading and looks up at me.  I can tell he likes it, a lot, even though he’s trying to hide that from me.  “So you just magically came across something like this?”

I shrug.

“There’s talent here,” he sighs.  “A hell of a lot of talent.  Do you know how much garbage I’ve flipped through this month?”

“Too much?”

He smirks.  “There’s gotta be a catch.  The last time I read something I felt this strongly about, I signed your mother.”

“Well you’re obviously interested...”

“It’s him isn’t it?”

Okay, I probably couldn’t put that one past him, but I was sure ready to try.  Now, I can’t lie to him anymore.  Even if I did, he would find out the truth eventually.  “Maybe but...”

“You’ve gotta be kidding,” he laughs, and shoves the binder back into my arms.  “No way.  No no no.”

“Raegan!”  I call after him, when he starts walking away from me.  “Raegan just wait!”  He pushes himself out the door of the store, but I follow him, pull him to a stop on the sidewalk.  “Would you just listen to me for a minute?  I thought we were friends.”

“It’s fucking...too awkward, Esmerelda.  Jesus.”  He pushes the button on his rental keys and the alarm beeps off.  “What are you trying to do?”

“He’s really good, Rae.  Come on.”

“I just...I mean, how can you expect...look, just forget it.  I’m not doing this.”

“I love him.  If you won’t do it for his talent, do it for me...somebody who has stuck by your side as a friend even if you’ve been a jerk half the time.”

He pauses when his key is inserted into the lock, and his eyes close, like he’s trying to make me disappear.  He knows I’m right.

“Raegan, I do.  I love him, and I know that....I know you feel a certain way about me, and I’m sorry.  I’m sorry that I can’t be with you like you want me to be, but are you really going to pass this up?  I know you’re antsy for a new deal.”

He drops his hands at his sides and groans harshly.  I know he’s giving in, because he cares about me.  I think it’s hard for him, trying to figure out what the feelings he has for me mean.  It’s my own fault.  I had drunken sex with him, but he’s done that enough with plenty of women to know that it never works out.  

“Why him and not me,” he finally says.

“What?”

“I mean, what is it? Am I that bad, Es?”

“No I...I’m just not your type.”

He stares at me for a while, his eyes sad, tired, and hopeless.  “You’re my type.  You are.”

“I lead you on,” I mutter.

“No...if anything, I pushed it.  I shouldn’t have pushed it.  Maybe you...”

“We’re not the best match, Raegan.  If we did get together, if we got married, we’d end up like my mom and dad.  I don’t want that, and I know you don’t.  In fact, I wish you’d stop dating all those bimbos mom tells me about.  You need a nice girl.  She’d change you, make you a lot more mellow and down to earth.  People might like you more.”

He rolls his eyes.  “My life is too hectic for a nice girl, Es.”

“Maybe not.  In fact, I think I might have just the girl for you.”

He cocks his head to the side.  “Oh yeah?”

“Yeah, but you’re not getting anything from me unless you agree to take a closer look at that book.”

“That’s not fair.  For all I know this girl could be...”

“You should trust me, really, Rae.  You’ve known me long enough.”

He sighs.  “God, Jesus...”  He puts his hands on top of the car and hangs his head low.  

“Is that a yes?” I smirk.

“Fine.  But I’m not making any promises.  The book looks good but it needs work and the publisher, I mean...they have to like it too.  I’m going to have to work with it for six months before I can try to market it to anybody.”

“Good enough, Raegan.  I really...I really appreciate it.”

“Yeah,” he nods.  “I know you do.”  He comes around to the other side of the car, and pecks my cheek quickly before opening my door for me.  “How’d you meet this guy anyway?”

“In a bookstore,” I laugh.  “Where else?”

That wasn’t so bad.  Everything is coming together, falling into place.  Justin will get to live his dream now, writing, and he’ll be able to move away from that small town life, back to the city, with me, and we’ll be able to have something incredible.  Something only a few people are able to experience in their lifetime.  I smile as Raegan shuts me in the car, and gets into the drivers seat.  I can see the future in front of me, staring me in the face, and for the first time, I love what I see.

I can’t wait to start it.  Start everything, with Justin, Mr. Sports Fiction himself, by my side.
Sixteen by ialwayzbesingin
Momma isn’t speaking to me.  She hasn’t been since the fair, but I expected her to act this way.  What I did was pretty messed up, leaving the dance, a big benefit for somebody that was practically family, to see about some girl that she’d barely met.  I had to do it though.

I don’t regret it, either.

My dad has been pretty hard on me, working me to the bone, because he feels I disrespected momma.  I’ve apologized I don’t know how many times, but it hasn’t done much.  While she’s angry with me about what I did, she’s even more upset that I broke it off with Lacey.  My dad says I’ve let them both down, that they gave me a great opportunity, that I had the chance to settle down with a concrete future and I chose to turn my back on it all instead.  I told him I was in love though.  I was in love and I didn’t care what he thought.  Then he told me he didn’t know why he let me come back, that he’d he trusted me even though I was irresponsible, had a child out of wed lock.  He told me I was going to work harder from then on, that he was going to give me more work to keep me busy, to keep myself out of trouble.

He has me out in the potato fields lately, picking shit by hand like some of the help.  He lets somebody else ride the tractor now, and while I thought I would be better off, this is even more grueling.  I’m on my feet all day, picking vegetables and fixing up the crops until my hands are full of blisters.  I barely make it to the supper table anymore.  It was his intention.  He wants to keep me away from my mother until I’m ‘better’.  What’s worse, I barely see Ben.  They keep him at school later now, and I’m too worn down after work to spend time with him.

I’m being punished, like I’m a child, and I know I need to get out of here.

It makes me upset.  I love my family, but right now, they aren’t treating me the way they should.  

I need my Es.  We been doing great, talking and writing just like I promised her we would.  We talked on the phone just last night, and I finally confessed to what’s been going on here.  I held it back for a couple of weeks, didn’t want to upset her, but I couldn’t take it anymore.  She’s my vice, my rock, the only person I have that will listen, understand, and love me no matter what.  All I want to do is hold her in my arms, spend all of my time with her, and if I had the money for a plane ticket, I’d leave tonight.

But I don’t.

She’s coming to see me, told me she would be in town either tonight or tomorrow morning.  We’ve been planning this visit for a couple of weeks.  Her mother’s tour is over, but that guy Raegan...he’s interested in my book.  It’s a funny feeling, knowing somebody has taken an interest in what I’ve written.  I never thought it would catch anybodies attention.  It’s really more of a memoir of my own experiences growing up in Wytheville, but Es says that it’s so much more than that.  She says it’s relatable, that people can put themselves in the story with the characters, feel their emotions.

I guess Nana was right.  I do have a talent for storytelling.

I don’t know what this visit will bring though.  I know I’ll get to be with my girlfriend again, which is the most important thing, but I have no idea what Raegan will have to say, or what he’ll want to do.  Es says there’s a chance I could get a book deal, that Raegan would sign me with his firm, and give me money right up front.  Enough money to relocate again, just like Es talked about in the beginning.  

I hope that’s the case.

“Duck...du-ckk.”  Ben smiles to himself as he moves his rubber duck around in his bath water.  “Da-da duck.  I li-ike d-uck.”

I smirk and scratch his head, sign out a good job for using his words.  He’s so much more vocal now, and if nothing else, it’s the best thing that’s come out of my move back to Wytheville.  Tonight is a welcomed rarity, being able to give my son a bath.  It’s Friday night, so there’s no school tomorrow obviously, but I finished my work a little earlier than normal today, and spent the rest of the afternoon and evening with him.  We read stories and played outside with some of his toys.  I miss doing things like that with him, and I find that he’s learning so much so fast.  I missing so much of his life, because of the farm labor my dad is forcing on me.  It’s not right.

No matter what, when Es comes, I’m leaving with her.  Ben and I.  I have to, and if I have to borrow a little money from her for a plane ticket, I will.  I hate borrowing money from anyone, but this situation is only getting worse, and I’ll pay her back, the first chance I get.

“Justin!”

I turn slightly, knowing its my mothers voice.  “Yeah!”

“Visitor!”

I gasp.  It’s early but...but is it her? I don’t take the time to think about it.  I yank my son out of the tub, and he laughs his muffled laugh as I dry him off quickly and yank some clothes on him.  I race out of there, gripping him by the hand as I race down the stairs.  I see my mother at the bottom, her look of disapproval all too familiar to me, and I let go of Ben’s hand as I stand before her.

“Living room.”  She says it darkly, and walks away.

I take two steps, and then I see her sitting there on the sofa, with Raegan by her side.  

“I thought the ice queen would never leave,” she smirks, when she finally sees me.

I don’t say anything, just smile, and race towards here, grasping her hand and pulling her up from the couch so I can plant my lips on hers.  I feel better automatically.  All the shit my parents have been putting me through for weeks, melts away.  “I missed you.”

“I know,” she giggles, pressing her forehead against mine.  “I missed you too.”

“Can we talk, or do you two need a room?”

We both laugh and when I meet Raegan’s gaze, I can tell he’s all business for the moment.  “We can talk,” I say, gently.

“Great.”

He pulls out the binder I gave to Es so many weeks ago, and begins to tear into it the minute she and I sit down across from him.  He really is brilliant when it comes to this stuff and it’s obvious he’s read the whole thing several times.  He tells me what we have to change, what we have to tweak, and that it’ll be a while before he’ll feel confident showing it to a publishing company.  I tell him that it doesn’t matter, that I can wait, and thank him for giving me a chance.

“Don’t thank me, thank your girl over there,” he smirks.  “She pushed me to give it a chance, but I’m glad I did.”

I look at her, and she’s smiling at me.  “You pushed for me, huh?”

She kisses me gently and smiles.  “You knew I would.”

“It’s really great stuff, Justin.  It’s something to be proud of, and I know people all over are going to love it.  There’s just one more thing we need to figure out before we start going forward with the deal.”

I glance at Es, slightly confused.

“Every book needs a title,” she smiles.

“Right,” I nod.  “I left that off, but I think I got it now.”

“Shoot,” Raegan says.  

“How about Memoirs of a Simple Life?”

“Sounds good.  Bookshelf intriguing,” Raegan nods.  “What’d you think Esme?”

“I think it’s great.”  She kisses me again.  “Simple but intriguing.”

“Good, it’s final then,” I say.

“Great.”  He jots down the title on the notepad that he brought with him.  “We’ll have an official meeting, maybe the end of next week? My office.  Es knows where it is.  I just relocated to Manhattan.”

I look at her.  “I don’t have a place...”

“Tell him what else, Rae,” Esme smiles.

He sighs.  “I got you a place, down in the village.  The lease is paid up in full for two years.  Es told me about your son, and I took the liberty of getting him enrolled at the same school he was in before you moved.  He’s paid up for the next two semesters, and by the time that’s up, you’ll have plenty of money to keep him going.”

“You’re...you’re serious?”

“I believe in your work,” he tells me, with the first smile I’ve ever seen on his face.  “I wouldn’t have done all of this if I didn’t.”

“He’s serious,” Es says.  “Trust me.”

“So...then...I’m moving back?”

“You are.”  She wraps her arms around me and pulls me close.  “Just like I said you would.”

I feel like crying, but I know I can’t.  It’s all so incredible.  My dream is coming true, and Es...she loves me.  What’s more Ben is going to be okay, he’ll get the best education, and he’ll be able to function on his own when he gets older.  

Everything would be great, if it wasn’t for my family and how much more I’ll hurt them by moving away again.

But I have to do this.  For Esme and I.  For our future, and for Bens too.

“You’re going to have to work hard, Justin,” Raegan reminds me, in mid kiss with Esme.  “Promotions and interviews, once the book hits the market.  You’ll be insanely busy the first six months.  I need you to plan ahead for that, make sure your son will be cared for.”

I didn’t even think about that.  I look at my girlfriend again, with fear in my eyes.

“We’ll figure it out,” she reassures me.  “We can always bring him with us.”

Ben needs his school though.  I know I can’t just pull him out of that, out of his routine, because he’ll get confused, like he tends to be when too much happens at once.  He’s deaf, but he also has a hard time focusing too, and remembering things.  “I don’t know about that.”

Esme squeezes my hand and looks into my eyes.  “We can talk about it, though,” she smiles.  “It’s too early to plan for something like that anyway.  Let’s just...relax for now.”

“Okay.” I smile for her, and push my worries to the back of mind.  It’s selfish, but all I really want to do right now is hold my girlfriend, the woman I love, in my arms and kiss her, because I’ve missed the hell out of her.

“Da.”  

I feel him tapping on my leg and I stop kissing her for a moment, so I can look down at him.  “Hey buddy.” I say and sign, pulling him onto my lap.  “Say hello to Esmerelda.”

“Es Es.” He smiles brightly and signs out a hello.

“I’ve missed you Ben.”  Esme signs it out and plants a kiss on his forehead, and Ben coos, his cheeks growing red in response.

The three of us will make this work, I realize.  We have to, and we will.  I can’t be so afraid for my son, have to let him face his challenges so he can overcome them.  I can’t be so dead set on sticking to a routine, because he has a chance to have an amazing life if this book deal goes well.  I could show him the world, with Esme, and that would be the best thing for him.  I know that now.  

“You guys want a lift back to the hotel?” Raegan offers as he gets up from the sofa.

“Yeah...Justin, are you okay leaving now?  We can come back in the morning,” Esme tells me.

I know what I have to do, it just kills me to do it, to leave, to turn my back on my family.  This time, I doubt they would welcome me back into their lives.  “Let me get the bags.  Can you watch him, Es?”

“Sure.”

We kiss gently, before she takes my son by the hand and begins to sign a conversation with him.

It makes me love her that much more.

I race upstairs, gather our luggage that’s been packed since Es told me she was coming to visit, and to possibly take me back to New York with her.  The room is bare again, just like it was when I came back home.  It seems too soon, that I’m leaving it all behind again.

If I write a sequel to my book, it will start out just like this.

Memoirs of a New Life

I carry the luggage out of the room and to the foot of the stairs, grabbing a couple of suitcases for the first trip down the stairs.

“Are you leaving tonight?”

I turn, see my momma standing there in her night gown, her hair in that braid she always makes right before she goes to bed.  It’s the first sentence she’s uttered to me since she stopped speaking to me, and I sigh a little.  I don’t want to argue, I just want to leave.  “Yeah.”

“If I was stern with you son, it was only because I wanted you to realize how much you were jeopardizing your future.”

“I wasn’t.” I narrow my eyes.  “I fell in love with somebody else, momma.  It happens.”r32;
“It happened with Tory and look where that got you.”

“Esme isn’t like Tory.  She’s...an incredible person.  She loves Ben, and she loves me.  I wish you could see that.  I do, but I understand.  I’m not cut out for this life.  I can’t stay.”

“I know you can’t.” She steps toward me, her lips quivering, and reaches out to stroke my cheek.  “And I think I tried too hard to make you.”

“You should meet her,” I smile, and put my hand on the one she’s placed on my face.  “I think you’d like her.  She’s a lot like Nana, but she’s...just incredible.”

“One day,” she nods.

I know it’s going to take time, but I’m different and I expect her to act this way.  I’m not like the rest of my family, and I think she’s making peace with that right now, if nothing else.  “I love you momma.”  I lean in and give her a long hug.  “Thank you for helping us.”

“I’ll miss you baby.”

We hug for a very long time.  I know she realizes this is it.  That I won’t be back, that I’m moving on to the bigger and better like I always intended, and my life will never be the same.  “I’ll miss you too.”

She smiles slightly when she pulls away from me again, kisses me quickly, and then turns into her bedroom, shutting the door closed silently behind her.

“Will she be okay?”

I turn, face the woman I love, and smile at her.  “Yeah.  I think she’s made peace with the fact that I need to live my own life.”

She walks over to me, and I put my arm around her.  “I’d like to talk to her one day.”

I kiss her forehead.  “One day, baby.”
Epilogue by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
Here we are at the end! If you made it this far I hope you enjoyed it and I hope it wasn't too cheesy! thanks for reading!

"All the praise it’s received is just...so unbelievable.  How does it not go to your head?  They say you may sell more than Fifty Shades in the coming months."

“I guess I’m just humble, you know...I never had much growing up or after high school.  I was a college drop out with a kid to feed, and writing was sort of a vice for me.  My grandmother always told me to keep writing and to never stop.  I think that if you live your life as a regular joe, when something like this happens to you, you’re able to keep your ego in check.  Well, that, and my girlfriend would make me sleep on the couch if I started to act like the king of the fiction world....”


“You’re right.  I totally would.  Smart boy.”  I smile at him, and flick off the television, as he squeezes my thigh, and I kiss him on the mouth.

“Twelve weeks at number one, and Raegan says I’m not going anywhere,” he smirks.  “I need you to keep my ego in check.”

“Are you kidding? He needs me to keep his ego in check,” I laugh.  “Good thing he’s got his hands full with Sandra.  That woman runs him ragged, but you know, I think it’s for the best.  He doesn’t have time to get drunk and do all the raunchy stuff he used to.”

“Better him than me.  That girl tried to seduce me in a bookstore.”

“I got to you first,” I smirk.

“You did, huh?”  He smiles and pulls me closer to him, before giving me another deep, passionate kiss.  “How’d I get so lucky?”

“You put your book on hold with the right lady.”

“That I did.”

It’s been a whirlwind, ever since Justin was able to move back here with me.  After we were moved into the new apartment, Raegan got right down to work with Justin on his book.  I was there for him everyday, looking after Ben when he really couldn’t.  I would bring him to school, and pick him up, on the condition that the three of us would always be able to sit down to dinner together each other.  For the most part, Raegan allowed him to hold up that end of the bargain, except for release week, but I gave that to him.  

The book has been accepted so well by the public.  Its first week on the market, we sold two hundred thousand hard copies, double that for ebooks.  Memoirs shot to number one on the New York Times best seller list, and a huge book tour followed along with multiple radio and talk show interviews.  Justin was reluctant to pull Ben from school for it, but after much discussion on the subject, we decided it was the best thing.   He’s more like my son now, than anything, and when Justin and I get married, I have every intention on adopting him.  

The tour did Ben good.  He was able to experience parts of American he wouldn’t have seen otherwise, and the three of us got to bond as the family we wanted to be.  It was during the second month of that book tour that Justin put a ring on my finger, and even though we hadn’t been together a full year, I knew it was the right move.  There was nobody else out there for me, Esmerelda the librarian turned assistant to the biggest book agent in America, and there was nobody else out there for Justin, the country bumpkin who was beyond the small town life.

We were made for each other.  That’s what everybody says, anyway.

Sandra is proud.  Proud of me for taking a risk for once, for going after a feeling that wouldn’t go away.  She’s also thankful to me, for bringing Raegan into her life.  Like I said, she was just what he needed.  She was spunky enough for the raunchy side of him, but sentimental enough to calm him down and bring out his true emotions.  He’d never say it, but he loves her more than anything, and I’m sure once enough time passes, he’ll put a ring on her finger too.

My parents are excited that I’ll be getting married, they like Justin too, and my mom has been very excited that I’ve decided not to work in a library after all.  Although, once all this book hoopla dies down I fully intend on volunteering at one, starting a program that involves Ben’s school and another senior book club.  I may have a much different life now, but I’ll always have a passion for helping people.  

As for Justin’s family, they’ve started to come around.  He’s doing a book signing tomorrow, in Wytheville, as part of the promotion, and his whole family is coming out.  His mother and I have talked, like Justin told me we would one day.  It’s been all phone calls, but I know we both feel better about the situation now than we did originally.  She really is a great lady, it just took her awhile to understand her son.  Until this year, I don’t think anybody in his family did, his father most of all.

He’ll be the hardest to crack, but he’s coming to the signing and we’re all having supper afterward.  Justin says its a good sign.  That when his father wants to have a classic family supper it means he’s accepted the way things are.  Finally, all of that aggression that’s existed between them will be put to rest.

I can’t wait.  I can’t wait for him to just be able to live his life without all of that on his shoulders.  He loves his family, and all he’s ever wanted was for them to accept him, and lately...me.

“You think I’ll get my Pulitzer one day?” Justin asks, the longing apparent in his eyes.

“I think so,” I smile.  “You just have to find the right kind of inspiration.”

“Oh, I already have it,” he says, with a sly smile.  “I want to write about this guy...how he used to stare at this girl every Friday afternoon, praying that she’d get the guts up to say hello, since he was too timid.”

“Sounds familiar,” I smile.

“Maybe I’ll call it Fridays, Three Fifteen.”

“Sounds relatable.  Very bookshelf intriguing.  The dollar signs are sparking in my brain.”

“Okay, Raegan,” he laughs.  “You know, the girl in the book...she saved that guys life.  She went chasing after him, even though he was too stupid to keep in touch.”

“Sounds like a smart girl,” I giggle.

“The smartest.”  He kisses me and stares back into my eyes.  “I love you, Esmerelda the Librarian.”

“I love you too, Mr. Sports Fiction.”

The End

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2452