Random Act of Kindness by Dollface
Summary: A chance meeting at an antique shop turns out to be more than what Etta expected. When a complete stranger goes out of his way to make the holidays special for her family, Etta decides she must find a way to repay him. 
Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: JC Chasez, Justin Timberlake
Awards: None
Genres: General, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 7584 Read: 2732 Published: Dec 02, 2012 Updated: Dec 09, 2012

1. Chapter 1 by Dollface

2. Chapter 2 by Dollface

3. Chapter 3 by Dollface

4. Chapter 4 by Dollface

5. Chapter 5 by Dollface

6. Chapter 6 by Dollface

Chapter 1 by Dollface
Author's Notes:
This is the first N Sync fanfiction I have written in years. I hope that those left reading enjoy it!
Etta's GPS guided her to the parking lot of the antique shop with little difficulty. She had gotten lost only once, but the long trip was worth it. She'd been searching for months for a piano just like the one her mother used to have- and after lots of calling around, had finally found one. She just needed to check it out to make sure that it was in good shape before buying it. Her mother was going to be thrilled. It was going to be a complete and total surprise. She couldn't wait to see the look on her face when it was delivered on Christmas Eve.

The bell over the door let out a little jingle as she entered. Etta could hear someone playing a piano from within the shop. She didn't see anyone behind the counter, and decided to take the chance to browse. The shop was more like a large warehouse- full of random items. Furniture, more than a few pianos, random knick-knacks scattered along shelves. For the most part, it seemed to be full of junk... Not that Etta was surprised, most antique shops were.

Without realizing it, she'd been following the sound of the music. It wasn't long before she came upon a man seated on a bench in front of a piano. Not just any piano- but the very one she'd come to find. It looked just like the one her mother had been forced to sell just last year. It wasn't in as good of shape- the wood needed a new finish, but Etta could tell it would be perfect. And the piano sounded great, judging from the way the man seated in front of it was playing it. The tune he plucked out was melancholy, but beautiful. Etta leaned against a shelf and closed her eyes as she listened.

Both were startled by the loud clatter of a ceramic something breaking on the floor. Etta's purse had nudged it from its spot on the shelf. "Christ!" she immediately knelt to the ground, gathering up the pieces in her hand. She found the piece with the sticker. Thank God it would only cost her twenty dollars. That could have been a hell of a lot worse.

"Are you alright?" the man asked, tilting his head at her curiously.

"Yes- I'm fine. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to..." Etta trailed off. Could you really eaves drop on someone who was playing in public? "Startle you," she finished.

"It's alright."

She watched as another man came up, holding a yellow slip of paper. He handed it to the man who had been playing piano. "She's all yours!"

Etta's heart sank. "You bought this piano?" she asked.

The piano playing man nodded. "I did."

She cursed, then groaned. "Fuck, damn, shit!" What was she going to do now? She didn't have another few months to find another piano like this one! Christmas was only a month and a half away.

"Are you quite alright?" the piano playing man asked, waving off the shop keep who had just brought him his receipt.

"Yes, I mean... No. But it's not your problem. I've just been looking for a piano like this for months- for my mother. I called the shop a couple of days ago and they said they had one. Today was the first chance I've had to get out here to take a look at it. But it seems you've beat me to it. I guess I... will just have to try to find another one."

The man frowned. "I'm sorry. I didn't know. But there are a lot of other really nice pianos here. I'm sure your mother would like one of those."

"She might. But I don't know anything about them."

He stood up from the bench. "I know a lot about pianos. I collect them, and I play. I could probably help you pick one out. I'm Josh, by the way."

Etta took the hand he held out. "Violet, but most people just call me Etta. And that would be very nice of you. I don't think I'll have the time to search out another one like this," she motioned at the piano Josh had just been playing.

"Why is this piano so special?" Josh asked. "It's not particularly ornamental or rare... The only thing about it is that it's old."

She shrugged awkwardly- not wanting to go into it. Etta didn't want this stranger to think she was trying to gain his pity. But... if it was for her mother... "My mother used to have one just like this. It used to belong to her great grandmother. It had been passed down through the family. It was in much better condition than this, though," she motioned at the piano. "We had to sell it last year, though. A collector offered her a lot of money for it. Our family- well, we needed the money more than the piano at the time. Medical bills. My father- he had just died from cancer, and his life insurance wasn't enough to cover the final expenses. I promised my mother I'd replace it some day."

Josh frowned. "That's... That's awful. I'm sorry. I can... I can let you buy it, if you'd like."

Etta smiled."Thank you for the offer, but that really isn't necessary. I would feel absolutely awful about it. I mean... it isn't the same piano, anyway. So the sentimental value wouldn't really be there. My mother just misses playing, and I really wanted to give her one for Christmas. I'm sure another one would do just as well."

"I really don't mind."

"No- I couldn't accept that offer. I wouldn't dream of it. What's important is that she is able to play. The state of the piano might just make her sad, anyway. The finish isn't the same. It's close to being the same, but isn't the same. It might just remind her of what she gave up and upset her more. Maybe it is better to just buy a different one."

Josh narrowed his gaze a little, then shrugged. "Then I at least insist you let me help you pick out a good one. Like I said, I know a thing or two about pianos. What kinds of things does your mother like to play?" he asked, stepping in the direction of one of the other pianos he'd been considering purchasing.

"Mostly classical music. Hymns now and again. But she really loves classical music. My mother says that it soothes her soul."

He smiled. "Oh! There is one here perfect for classical compositions. It's the same price as the other one, but much better suited for that kind of music."

It was a beautiful piece, that was certain. Etta didn't know much about pianos, but she knew that it would look beautiful in her mother's house. Not as perfect as the one she used to have, but it would be a great addition. "Can you play something on it, so that I can hear it?" she asked. "I never learned to play, so I don't know how to test it out."

Josh sat down in front of it. "Of course," he said. His fingers rested momentarily over the keys before they began to carefully pluck the melody to Clair de Lune. Etta immediately recognized the piece as one of her mother's favorites, and smiled lightly. He played so well. And as the last note hung in the air, she knew that this piano would be just as good as the one she was originally going to buy.

"Thank you, so much." She brushed tears from her eyes and offered a smile. "This really means a lot to me, you don't even know."

"You're sure you don't want the other one?"

"Positive. I can never replace my mother's piano, but I can give her a new one."

He smiled. "I'm glad to hear it." Josh glanced at his watch and then offered Etta one last smile. "I really do need to get going though. I have a meeting at four, and it's at least a half hour drive- assuming traffic isn't bad. I really hope your mother enjoys her gift. She sounds like a lovely woman, and she certainly has a lovely daughter."

Etta blushed. The fact that he was handsome had not gone unnoticed. "Thank you... Josh was it?"

He nodded. "Joshua Chasez. It was a pleasure to meet you Etta."

She watched him walk away, and sighed lightly. If it was already three, she needed to get going, too. Etta had dinner plans with her sister. She couldn't wait to tell her about the gift. Etta couldn't afford to pay off the piano now, but the shop keeper had agreed to let her make payments. Just in time for Christmas.

Chapter 2 by Dollface

Etta's sister had managed to get her mother out of the house for some last minute shopping. Her sister had cleverly "forgotten" a very important ingredient for Christmas dinner. The piano that Etta had bought was scheduled to be delivered at two. She was antsy, and excited. Her mother would be so ecstatic!

When the doorbell finally rang, she ran to the door and threw it open. "Deliver for a... Violet Lynn?"

"That's me!"

"Sign here, please."

Etta took the clipboard and signed it. "It goes in the next room," she said, propping the door open with something heavy. When she looked up, she gasped. The piano that they unloaded off the truck wasn't the one she bought. It... it was identicaly to the very one that her mother had sold last year. She guided the movers into the right room, and made sure they carefully positioned the piano in the bare spot on the wall where the old one had been. She gave them a very generous tip and shut the door behind them.

Could it be? Had that piano man from the antique shop sent her the piano he'd bought? But how could he have known the right finish on the wood?

There was a note pinned to the bench cusion, her name printed carefully on the outside of the envelope. Etta opened it with trembling fingers.

Dear Etta,

Your story about your family really moved me. I hope you don't mind- but after our meeting I tracked down the collector who bought the piano from your family last year. He told me about how your great-great-grandmother's name was inscribed on the back of the piano. When he showed me the carving, and I realized you had been named after her, I knew this had to be right instrument. I bought it back from him, and am having it delivered on Christmas Eve.

I found out your plans for the other piano from the old man at the antique shop. Please don't be cross with him. It's all in the spirit of the season, isn't it? I also had him write you a check for a refund of what you paid for the other piano at the shop. Maybe you can use it to buy yourself something nice.

Here is hoping that you aren't angry. Merry Christmas, Etta! To you and your mother.

-Joshua Chasez

Etta couldn't believe that a complete stranger would do something so amazingly kind for her. She sniffed and wiped tears from her eyes as she inspected the piano. It was the very one her mother had sold. And Etta knew how much her mother had gotten for the piano, and Josh had probably paid twice that to get it back. It was in better condition now than when they had sold it.

She looked at the letter again, but he hadn't left any contact information. A name. But no phone number or return address. How could she ever make it up to this man? Let him know how much something like this meant to her? What it would mean to her family? Etta hoped the old shop keeper would be equally willing to help her when she paid him a visit after the holidays. Something like this couldn't go unnoticed in her life.

Her mother and sister returned not even half an hour after the piano had been delivered. Etta stopped them at the doorway, and excitedly tied a scarf loosely around her mother's eyes. "Santa brought you something while you were gone!" Etta exclaimed. "But it's not ready for you to see just yet." She guided her mother through the living room and into the kitchen. "Sit at the table."

"Etta! You shouldn't have! Did you and your sister plan this?"

She glanced at her sister, and smiled. "Just sit still, mom. Promise me that you won't peak!"

Her mother smiled. "I promise."

Etta hurried her sister into the living room and gestured at the piano. "It's the same one! It's mom's piano!" she whispered. Then she quickly relayed the story of the man she'd met at the antique shop, and let her sister read the letter that had been attached to the bench of the piano.

"Mom is going to die, Etta. I can't believe someone would do this!"

"I'm determined to find him, Anne, and to thank him. He can't know what this means to our mother."

They carefully pulled the piano out from the wall, and ran their fingers over their great-great-grandmother's name still carved into the wood of the piano.

Etta returned to the kitchen, and placed her hands gently on her mother's shoulders. "Mother, you're ridiculous, you could have taken off the blindfold while you were waiting!"

"I was afraid to ruin your surprise! You sounded so excited."

She helped her mother stand and let her into the living room. She placed her at an angle, so that she would be able to not only see the piano- but the name on the back of it. Then she pulled the knot out of the scarf. "Surprise!" Etta and Anne exclaimed at once.

Etta's mother covered her heart, and her other hand balled into a fist and pressed to her mouth. "My god," she whispered, taking a few unsteady steps forward. The hand on her heart moved to the piano, steadying herself. "You... you got it back. I can't believe it!" She sat down on the bench and lifted the lid covering the keys. She immediately began to play. Etta and Anne smiled at each other, standing with their arms around one another as their mother played. It was the most beautiful song either of them had ever heard, or would hear in their lifetime. The sound was that of their mother's soul pouring into the keys.

This complete and total stranger had brought happiness into their home on Christmas. At great personal cost to himself, Etta was sure of it. The part of her that wanted to be angry and offended that he would butt into her life was quickly silenced as she saw the complete and utter joy on her mother's face. She didn't know much about this Joshua Chasez- but she did know one thing, he was an angel.

Chapter 3 by Dollface
Author's Notes:
Thanks for the kind words and encouraging reviews!
Two weeks later found Etta parked on the outside of a very large home in Los Angeles. She couldn't believe this was the right place. But it matched the address that the shop keeper had given her. She pressed a button on the little speaker by the gate, and a few moments later she heard a voice. Etta was fairly certain she recognized it as Josh's.

"Who is it?"

"Is this Josh?"

She heard him sigh. "Yes, this is Josh. And no, I will not sing for you."

Etta laughed. "I wasn't going to ask you to sing for me! This is Etta. I got your address from-"

"Oh!" he exclaimed, cutting her off. "Hang on, I'll let you in."

The gate opened, and Etta drove through. The drive led up to the front door of what could only be described as a mansion. Suddenly she no longer felt guilty about all of the trouble he had gone through to get her mother's piano back. Obviously money wasn't something he was short on. What on earth did he do to make him enough money to live in a place like this?

As she climbed out of her car, he opened the door. His hair was dissheveled, jeans wrinkled, and his shirt was on inside out. Oh god! Had she interrupted something... important? Etta blushed a little as she walked toward the door. "I... I'm sorry. I would have called first, but the man at the store didn't give me your phone number... Just an address. Did I interrupt anything?"

"No. I was just down in my studio, working on something. Come in, please." He stepped out of the way of the door, ushering Etta inside. She looked around, surprised at the simple decorative touches inside. They were masculine, yes, but it was obvious that even if he did have money he didn't need to show it off.

"Your house is beautiful. And huge. What do you do?" she asked.

Josh arched an eyebrow at her, and shut the door. He rubbed his hand through his hair, then laughed. "You really don't know?"

She shook her head. Was he a celebrity? Was she about to have made an ass out of herself? "I'm sorry, but I don't."

"How old are you?" he asked.

"I'm twenty-six."

She was the right age to know who he was. "I'm Joshua Chasez. Better known as JC. Once upon a time I was in a little band called N Sync... Then I tried to have a solo career. Now I work more... behind the scenes in the music business."

Realization dawned on Etta. "That must be why you looked familiar! No offense, but I never really listened to much pop music growing up. My dad and mom raised me on older music. I only heard about you guys through friends. When I was fourteen I was in love with Frank Sinatra."

"You and I both, Etta. So what brings you here?"

"I had to come and thank you. You can't know how great you made my holiday. I really wanted to figure out a way to repay you, but I can see now-" she gestured around her, "that there is probably very little I could do to show you how thankful I am. I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out something to show my appreciation."

He smiled a little, leading the way through the house to his living room. "You really don't have to do anything. It was just a chance to do something good for somebody on Christmas, that's all. Just knowing that you'd go so far out of your way to try and find me to thank me is enough."

"It really isn't," Etta said.

Josh sat down in an arm chair and motioned for her to sit down. Etta settled on the end of the couch nearest him. "It's not very often that I get the chance to do something like that for someone. And I was in the Christmas spirit. It's really not that big of a deal."

"Not to you," Etta countered.

"Is your mom happy?" Josh asked.

"Incredibly. She's been playing it all of the time. I haven't seen her this happy in a long time. She's even been learning new pieces, buying new music. She's teaching my niece how to play, too. It's amazing."

"That's all the repayment I need, to know that it was worth it."

Etta smiled. "That has to be the nicest thing anybody has ever done for me in my entire life. Or for my family. You really did give us Christmas cheer. I hope your Christmas went just as well."

He shrugged a little and tugged at the hem of his shirt, realizing he had it on inside out. "It was alright. I went home to visit family. But it's been a long time since I really enjoyed Christmas. I mean, Christmas to me is more for kids. And there aren't any young kids in my family anymore. And my parents don't have many needs. It's hard to find ways to really do good things for the people I care about, because I've been doing good things for them for so long."

"Don't you have a girlfriend?" Etta blurted with little thought. Surely a man like him had to be attached. He was obviously successful, and Etta thought that he was quite handsome. At some point in time, the majority of the female population must have thought so considering the popularity of the group he was once a part of.

"Not currently," he told her. "Hard to find genuine people in my world. Plus I'm of an age where meeting girls at parties or bars isn't ideal."

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked that. It's really none of my business."

"No, it's really okay. I'm glad someone just asks. You know, talking to me like I'm a normal person."

Etta blinked. "But you are a normal person. I mean... I didn't know who you were when I met you. You're just Josh. I had no idea when I started the drive out here that you would live in a place like this and be... famous, I guess? Why wouldn't I talk to you like you're a normal person?"

He laughed. "I don't know. Just not used to it. Glad to know someone thinks I'm just a normal person. I mean, I'm blessed beyond belief. And I know celebrities say it all the time- but you know, it just gets lonely. Surrounded by fake people who always have some kind of hidden agenda."

"I know it's not much to offer, Josh, but if you're ever lonely you could call me. I mean, you're a long drive from where I live- more than an hour- but it's one way to try to repay you for your kindness."

Josh fidgeted uncomfortably. That was... a very forward and presumptuous offer on her part. Though it meant a lot to him. "I don't want a friend who feels obligated to be there."

"I don't mean for it to sound that way. I mean... You obviously must be a really great person. I'd like to be your friend and get to know you. Anyone who would do what you did is worth getting to know."

Josh smiled a little. "A friend would be a great thing to have. I warn you though, I can be pretty damn needy," he joked.

"I warn you I can be pretty damn maternal and have a hell of a lot of opinions and advice to offer."

"Well, I don't want your trip out here to be a total waste. How long have you got?"

"All day," Etta told him. "Off work today. That's why it took so long to get down here, had to get a day off first."

"What do you say we go out for lunch, then, and get this friendship kicked off right. Make sure you know what you're getting yourself into. Make sure that you're up for it. Being my friend isn't an easy thing to do."

She smiled. "Maybe not, but I'm the sort of girl who is always up for a challenge."

Chapter 4 by Dollface

“So the first part of being friends is getting to know one another,” Etta said after they were settled at a table for lunch. “So tell me all about yourself. Start from the beginning.”


“Which beginning?” he asked.


“... Birth is pretty much the only beginning that we have as human beings.”


“That's a very long story.”


“I've got all day. Are you crunched for time?” she asked him.


He shook his head. “No. I make my own schedule.”


“Then it seems that luck is in our favor.”


Josh took a deep breath, levelling his gaze on this woman. This complete stranger. Then he did something that he rarely did- he opened up to her. Josh told her about being adopted, growing up, his time on the Mickey Mouse Club. Then he talked about N Sync and how stressful that level of fame was. He discussed how his solo career had floundered- his jealousy that Justin had been able to make it on his own. The way he'd been spending his time working behind the scenes, writing and producing for other artists. His current endeavors- including another shot at a solo record, and putting together a couple of groups to capitalize on the fact that pop really seemed to have come back to the forefront.They'd been sitting at the restaurant for hours. And Etta had been listening to him intently. It was so strange to hear about all he'd been through, but he was incredibly well spoken. A lot of the things he said were incredibly poetic, and she couldn't help but find herself in total awe of him.


“..And then I met you,” he finally finished. Heglanced at his watch- shocked he'd been talking for so long. “So what about your story?” Josh asked.


Etta laughed. “It's far less interesting than yours. I can assure you of that.”


Josh stood up, and offered his arm to Etta. “Well we should probably get out of their hair. I think we've been at this table for far longer than is appropriate. The waiter will be pleased, at least. I left him a hefty tip for his troubles.”


“It's only fair, though, if you heard my story that I get to hear yours. See what kind of a woman I'm trusting my deep, dark secrets to,” Josh said as he opened the car door for her.


She settled into the passenger seat, and shrugged. “It really isn't exciting. I was born out east,” she told him. “The coast of North Carolina. My dad, he was in the military. We came out to California when I was sixteen. It was his last assignment with the military. And afterward, we just stuck around. It was the first time we'd lived somewhere for more than a coupleof years at a time.”


“Let's see... I graduated high school, and went to school for early childhood education. I love kids. I graduated from college at the age of twenty-two. Then I got a job as a live-innanny for a wealthy couple who lived out here in Los Angeles. I worked for them until last year- when my father got sick. Then I moved back home to help take care of him. He died from cancer. By the time they found it, it was too late to do much of anything. My father died about eight months ago. Since then I've been working at a daycare close to where my mom lives. But I really miss working with just one family and one child.”


“You're right, that's not very exciting,” Josh said as he pulled back into his own driveway. “But I mean- if you really do miss working with just one family, I bet I could help you to find a job. I know a lot of people who have kids who need extra help. I'm sure the pay would be a lot better than whatever you're getting now.”


Etta shook her head. “No, there's no way I could let you do something like that for me. You've already done enough. I came here to find a way to say thank you, not to find yet another way to be in your debt.”


“Well, think about it. I have a really good friend who could definitely use the extra help.”


She followed him back inside, and graciously accepted the beer that he offered her. “I'll think about it, then. I do miss living in the city. There's a lot more to do. And with my sister recently moving in with my mom, the house feels a bit crowded. It's hard for grown women to live with one another. I swear that it's nothing like The Golden Girls.”


“I don't imagine that it would be.”


They sat in silence as they drank their beer. Etta was still surprised to find that she was beocming friends with a one time celebrity. He seemed genuinely nice and easy to talk to, and obviously was good hearted. Especially if he was willing to go out of his way, yet again, to offer her a little bit of help in her life. She could't believe that a man like this was single. This all seemed like the Hollywood beginning to a romance. A strange man does a good deed, and then the two become friends, and find themselves completely enamored with one another.


Etta was quickly enamored with him, but didn't want to be forward about it. She'd told him she could be the good friend that he needed, and she meant that. Complicating it by romance would be a disservice to her promise.


“So why do you say it's not easy to be your friend?” Etta finally asked. “From what I can tell, you seem like a perfectly kind and reasonable man.”


“You haven't known me long enough to see my flaws. I can be more than a little stubborn and self centered. You learn early on in the business that you've got to look out for yourself, because nobody else is going to do it. I tend to shut people out. I work too hard and play too little. Success is important to me. Probably more important to me than it should be.”


“Oh,” Etta said with a nod. “Well, I promise that I'll keep trying- even if you try to shut me out. I'm pretty good at getting to know pepole. And if there is one thing I've learned, it's that stubborn men really are just like petulant toddlers. And I've learned through the years how to best deal with those, believe me on that one.”


“You say that now. But you'll see, Etta. It's not going to be that easy.”


“Like I said, I'm always up for a challenge.”

Chapter 5 by Dollface

Their friendship blossomed quickly. Etta was spending her days off in the city with Josh. They had talked about everything- their past, present, and hopes for the future. Etta was surprised at how easily she opened up to him. Not that she had many deep, dark secrets of her own- but there were some things she hadn't talked to anyone about that she found herself telling him. Usually over a beer or a bottle of wine.


“I really think you should at least meet my friend,” Josh said to her. “I mean, he and his son. He's been interviewing nannies. He's been offered another great role in a film, and is really looking for a permanent child care option. It's another live in, and it isn't far from here.”


Etta sighed. Josh had been pestering her about this since the day she'd shown up on his doorstep two months ago. “If you really want me to meet him, I will. But I am not going to make you any promises about taking the position. Who is this friend anyway?”


“Justin.”


Her eyes grew wide. “Justin Timberlake?” she asked, scooting to the edge of her chair.


Josh laughed. “I'm hurt! You know who he is, but you didn't know who I am?”


“Everyone knows who he is!” she said with a dismissive gesture. “I didn't know he had a kid, though!”


“Yeah. His son turns four next month. He's had custody of him for the last year or so. The mom... Well, she wasn't exactly fit to be a parent and when she tried to extort Justin for an insane amount of child support, Justin fought for custody and he won it. He didn't even know about the kid until then. It was some one night stand that came back to haunt him. But he's adjusted to fatherhood pretty well. Took a year off from work to devote his time to the kid and help him transition. But you know- Justin is a mogul. He misses being in the business.”


Etta gave him a scrutinizing look. “You've already told Justin about me, haven't you, Josh?”


He blushed. “Maybe. But it was all good things! I told him about how we met and how nice you are and that I already trust you. He really wants you to come meet him and his son and see whether or not you think that you're up for the job. Justin would rather not hire a total stranger, even if it is through some kind of an angency.”


“If it means that much to you Josh, I'll meet him.”


He grinned. “Great! Because he's coming over tonight for dinner.”


Etta shook her head. “I should have known you'd pull something like that Chasez. We may not have known each other very long, but I know enough to know that you always get your way.”


“It's one of the perks of being so damn stubborn all of the time.”


“So what's the plan for dinner then?”


“I was going to order takeout. Chinese, probably. And we'll just hang out and talk and stuff. Chances are the television will be playing some kind of cartoon on repeat to keep Colton entertained.”


“I like that name.”


“Colton James Timberlake. Justin gave him his last name when he got custody of the boy. Awfully southern name, though.”


Etta laughed. “Nothing wrong with that. You seem to forget that Violet May is a southern name, too.”


“But I'm not allowed to call you Violet.”


She was worried about meeting Josh's friend. Had it been someone she'd never heard of, she probably would have been far less concerned. Even if she didn't follow popular music very much, she knew that Justin Timberlake was a big deal in Hollywood. Taking on this kind of a job wouldn't be something simple or trivial. Etta wasn't sure she would do it, even if she did get on well enough with Justin and his son. It felt a lot like Josh was meddling in her life, and Etta wasn't sure how she felt about it. Especially when she knew that it would put her in Los Angeles, which meant a lot more time around Josh.



She'd been sitting with Josh down in his studio, listening at him tinker with a few tracks when the doorbell sounded. She looked over at Josh and he stood up, grinning. “Let's go meet Justin and Colt.”


Etta followed him upstairs, stopping in the living room to gather the few empty beer bottles and toss them into the trash. They certainly didn't need a little kid grabbing hold of something like that. Then she made her way to the door. She looked at the little boy hiding behind his father, and smiled at the way he peeked out at her.


“This is Justin,” Josh said, introducing the two of them. “Justin, this is my friend Etta that I told you about.”


She took the hand that Justin offered, then knelt down to look at the little boy. “And you must be Colton. You certainly are quite handsome.”


The child hid again, and Justin bent over to pick him up. “He can be shy. It's nice to meet you, Etta. Josh tells me that you used to work as a nanny?”


Wow. He certainly was getting right down to business. “I did. And I loved it. I work at a daycare now. Josh says you're in need of someone to help you out with your little one?”


Justin nodded, walking through the house to the living room. He dropped the diaper bag on the couch and pulled out a few movies. He put Cars on the television, and Colton was immediately distracted. He sat in the floor, staring up at the television, gripping a stuffed dog tightly to his chest.


“I am. I've been doing it on my own now for about a year. But I really want to get back to my career. I need something more than a bunch of random baby sitters. I want someone who can really be a big part of his life. Teach him things. Stuff like that. If you have a degree in it, then I bet you definitely know what you're doing. And if you can handle a room full of them, I'm sure you're great with kids one on one.”


“It depends on the kid. Some children bond with you and some don't. It's as simple as that. I mean, I try hard with all kids. But sometimes they just don't like it. Which is normal. Sometimes I just don't like people, either.”


Justin laughed. “Considering the fact you like JC, I have to wonder about your taste in people.”


Etta grinned. “Well, then I'll have to worry about your taste in people as well, considering you've been friends with him a lot longer than I have.”


As Josh and Justin slipped into conversation- talking like boys do- Etta moved to the floor to sit next to the little boy. She didn't try to distract him from the movie, but instead watched it with him. By the time the movie was off, the boy had moved to sit in her lap, and had fallen asleep. Apparently Colton had decided he liked her. Etta lifted him and carried him into the other room, laying him down and covering him with a blanket.


“So what happened to Chinese?” she asked Josh.


“I've never seen Colton take to someone that quickly,” Justin said. “You didn't even do anything but sit there.”


“Sometimes that's all it takes.”


“So are you interested in the job?” he asked.


Etta shrugged. “Let's talk about it over dinner.”


Chapter 6 by Dollface

It only took Etta a week to get packed. Justin's son was an absolute angel, and Etta couldn't turn down the position once it had been offered to her. She'd always wanted to do one-on-one care with kids. And it was a great move for her career. Having experience working with a celebrity's child meant that when the boy was too old for a nanny, she could move on to another celebrity family. And the money was better than she had expected. Etta had argued that it was too much, but when Justin proved to her that it was on par with what other caretakers made in Hollywood she accepted.


Her room at his house was more like an entire wing. She had thought that Josh's house was impressive- it was quaint in comparison to the mansion that Justin lived in. You could tell who was the more successful man in the world.


Josh had been thrilled to learn that Etta had accepted the position. He was glad she was going to be in town. Seeing her once or twice a week wasn't good enough for him. And Justin's house was only a five minute drive from his. Josh had been sure to let Etta be fully aware of that.


Josh was going to help her move her things to Justin's house. He rolled into the driveway of Etta's mother's house with a truck early in the morning. She greeted him at the door with a bright smile. “I made breakfast,” she told him. “Have you eaten?”


“Nope. And that sounds great. Smells great, too,” he said following her into the house.


Etta introduced him to her mother and sister, and motioned for him to sit down at the table. She handed him a plate then sat down next to him. “Help yourself. There's a little bit of everything. You just have to be sure to try the pancakes. I made them from scratch.”


“I plan to try a little bit of everything,” he said then loaded his plate down with food.


After breakfast, Etta quickly did the dishes then began helping Josh carry her boxes out to the moving truck. She had carefully labeled everything... Perhaps a little too carefully. Some boxes had entire lists written down the sides.


“You don't have very much stuff,” he commented.


“A lot of my things are out in the building behind the house. But it's stuff I doubt I'll need. Furniture, mostly. Justin told me that the room had a television in it and a brand new bed, so I'm going to leave that stuff here. He tried to get me to let him buy me all kinds of stuff so I'd feel at home and I told him not to. It's nice of him to offer, but I'm going to work for him... So he shouldn't be going out of his way for me.”


“It's not like it's a big deal for him.”


“But it is to me,” Etta said. “And that is what matters.”


She helped him carry a few things out of the building out back, and within a couple of hours they had all of her things in the truck. There was an awful lot of room left in the back.


“Looks like you over estimated how much junk I have.”


“Smallest truck they had to rent, actually,” Josh said. “You always have struck me as a relatively low maintenance girl.”


“Looks can be deceiving,” she said with a smile. “I'll be back out in a minute. I'm going to go tell my mom and sister goodbye one last time and I'll be ready to go.”


Josh nodded and settled himself behind the wheel.


Etta went back inside, and wasn't surprised to see her mother was tearing up. “Mom, it's only an hour away, I'll be home all the time. You know that.” She hugged her mother anyway, and kissed her cheek. “I'll take care, don't worry.”


“He's handsome,” her sister said. “He seems like a great catch. You should stick with that guy.”


Etta laughed. “It's not like that.”


“Then snatch up Justin. I know for a fact he's damn good looking, too. And talented.”


She rolled her eyes. “This isn't about romance. We're just friends. And I'm going there for my career. It's really good money, and it's good for me long term. I've missed taking care of a kid one on one for a long time. You both know that.” Etta hugged her sister. “But if you want I'll introduce you to Justin and you can snatch him up for yourself.”


Her sister beamed. “Now <i>that</i> sounds like a plan.”


“I'll call you guys tonight after I get settled in.”


“And send pictures!” her mother reminded her. “I want to make sure you're living well.”


“Mother- he's a millionaire. I highly doubt I'm going to be living in squalor. But I'll send you pictures. And everything else that you want to know as soon as I get settled.”


Etta gave them one last hug before heading back out to the truck. She grinned at him through the window. “Lead the way, and I'll follow in my car.”


When they got to Justin's house, he was waiting on them. He'd hired a few men to carry all of Etta's things into the house and up to her room. “I'm really glad you decided to take the job,” he told her, shaking her hand as she came up the stairs.


“I'm glad, too. Where's Colton?”


“He's gone to spend the week with my mother. I figured I'd give you time to get settled in and used to the house before throwing a kid at you, too. I hope that's okay.”


“Of course it is.”


Justin led the two of them inside, Etta watching warily as her boxes were carried up the stairs. She hoped they were careful, some of her things were breakable. She sat down on the couch next to Josh, comfortably slinging her legs across his lap.


“After they get all of your stuff carried in, I was thinking we could all go to eat,” Justin said. “They just opened a new fifties diner that's I've heard great things about.”


“That sounds good to me,” Etta said. “I like food and I like the fifties.”


“You going to need any help unpacking?” Josh asked. “I don't have anything to do for the rest of the day, I could lend you a hand.”


“Yeah, sure, I could use some help.”

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2465