My Best Friend by AmberW
Summary:

She wasn't supposed to find out this way...

 

For my Secret Santa Musiccrazedjazzy!


Categories: Challenges, Completed Het Stories Characters: JC Chasez
Awards: None
Genres: Romance
Challenges: *NSYNC-Fiction Secret Santa 2012
Challenges: *NSYNC-Fiction Secret Santa 2012
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 3501 Read: 678 Published: Dec 28, 2012 Updated: Dec 28, 2012
Story Notes:
Girl, I hope you like this. I hope I fufilled your idea of Christmas fluff using the lyrics of My Best Friend by Tim McGraw! Merry Christmas (a few days late!)!

1. My Best Friend by AmberW

My Best Friend by AmberW

Hannah had moved to Los Angeles from Colorado when she was 23. She had finished college and was lucky enough to snag a job at a public relations firm in LA. In no time at all, she had fallen in love with the city. She loved the people, the different neighborhoods, the shopping. Oh the shopping. There was a lot of shopping to do in a city like LA.

When she first moved to LA, she traveled up and down all the famous stores she could think of. She hit up all the restaurants she had remembered seeing celebrities eat at. Her dream was to meet someone famous. She didn’t want it to be like a meet and greet, she wanted a great story to tell. Within a few months, that dream had quickly been forgotten. Work had become incredibly busy.

Hannah moved up quickly in her job. Within a couple of years, she had earned the title of publicist. No longer was she an assistant or a gopher. Instead, she was calling the shots and she was getting the clients. This new title brought on longer hours at work and a phone that never stopped ringing.

Her days started out the same way. Get up, get ready, eat some breakfast and head out. The condos she lived in were just a few miles from work. It was a godsend to not have to get on the freeway at this time of morning. Hannah turned the key in the ignition of her car and nothing happened. She tried again. Nothing. She tried a third time and silently prayed. Nothing. She grabbed her phone so she could call for help, but she was in the garage.

“Just great.” She mumbled getting out of the car. She now had to get above the garage to get any kind of cell service. She marched over to the elevator and got in. Angrily she pressed the button. Within seconds she was at ground level and plowed out of the garage elevator and right into a warm body.

She stumbled and tried to regain her balance. Stupid heels. She stood up and straightened herself out.

“You okay?” He asked. She sized him up and down. Well dressed, cute, needs a hair cut, but amazing blue eyes.

She smiled. “I’m fine. Sorry.”

“I wasn’t watching where I was going, I’m in a hurry this morning.” He explained.

“It’s my fault. I shouldn’t have been on such a mission to get out of the garage.” She looked in his eyes and felt warmth rush up her cheeks.

“Is there something wrong with the garage?” He asked.

“Oh, no. It’s just doesn’t have cell service and my car wouldn’t start.” She ran her fingers through her hair.

“Well, at least the garage monster isn’t making an appearance, this morning.” He joked. “Is there anything I can do to help remedy the car not starting?”

“Are you a mechanic? Or own a tow truck? Or have your own cab?” She laughed.

“No. No. No, but I do have my car here.”

“Oh, you don’t live here?” She questioned.

“I’m here just visiting a friend.” He smiled. “I can give you a ride if you need it.”

“Thanks, that’s very kind, but I don’t even know you.” She said while releasing a nervous giggle.

“That’s true. I’m JC. My friend Mike lives here.” He introduced. He held out his hand waiting for her to grasp it.

She put her hand in his, “Hannah. Mike…I know a Mike here in the building. What unit number?”

“K13.”

“Hey, we know the same Mike! Do you work with him at the studio?”

“I guess you could say that.” He smiled.

“Well, I guess I kind of know you then. Are you sure you can give me a ride? You said you were in a hurry…” she trailed off.

“Nothing can start without me, so I’d be honored to take you where you need to go.”

“Ugh, I’m headed to work. I work at Lawson Public Relations.” She said grudgingly.

“Hate your job?” He asked. They both stepped into the elevator and made their way down to the garage.

“I actually love my job, but you know how when your morning starts like this you just know you’re in for it for the rest of your day?” She took a deep breath. “I’m just waiting to see what mess there is today.”

“So you’re a believer in karma?” He asked as he opened her door for her.

“I wouldn’t necessarily call it karma, maybe more like what goes around comes around?” She questioned.

“So, karma?”

“Haha…if karma is causing today, I would love to know what I did to piss her off.” She laughed.

Hmm, she has a nice laugh. JC thought.

In the short ride to her office, they had exchanged pleasantries. Before they knew it, he pulled up in front of Lawson and she reached for the handle of the car. “Here, take this.” She handed him her business card. “If you ever need anything, you let me know. You saved me big time!” She smiled.

“Any time!” He laughed.

She quickly got out of the car, waved and ran into the building.

He pulled away and headed towards the studio.

*******

“Dude, you carry that thing with you everywhere lately!” Hannah pointed out as the worn leather journal was laid on the table next to his keys. It was another gorgeous, breezy, winter day in Los Angeles. The town was decorated for Christmas and as the days ticked closer to Christmas, there was an excitement that was felt all over the town.

“I’m working on a song and I’ve gotten stuck. It’s going to travel with me.” He chuckled.

“Oh come on! I’ve known you for how long now? Five years? I know for a fact that you have not once brought that or any of it’s cousins to a meal we have shared.” She laughed.

“I’m feeling inspired. I need to be able to write it down…” He quipped.

“Oh someone’s defensive today. You alright?”

“Fine.” He grumbled.

The waitress appeared at the table. “How are you guys doing today? I’m Emily, I’ll be your server today. Have you been to Michael D’s before?”

Hannah smiled, “Yes we have. Best breakfast in town!”

“Great, can I get you guys started with some drinks?” Emily asked.

“I’ll take a coffee.” JC ordered.

“Orange juice? Oh and can I get a water too?” Hanna asked.

“Of course. I’ll bring your drinks right out.” Emily smiled and walked away.

“Feeling high maintenance today?” JC asked.

“Dude, quit with the snark.” Hannah bit back. “Are you sure you’re okay? You seem like you don’t want to be here.”

JC quickly looked up. He looked into her green eyes. “I want to be here. It’s just this song…it’s eating me alive.”

“Well, let me hear it.”

“This is one of those songs that no one will hear til it’s done.” He answered quickly. “Plus, we’re in the middle of a restaurant; I’m not going to break out in song!” JC and Hannah laughed.

“Fine, don’t sing.” She smiled, “at least let me read what you got. You know I’m good at this stuff.”

“No Han. You’re not good at song writing. You’re good at publicity stunt writing.” JC winked.

“Hey, good at writing is good at writing. I’m quite the wordsmith, ya know…”

“In whose opinion?” He laughed. She put on a fake frowning face.

“Alright, coffee for you and an orange juice and water for you. You guys ready to order?” Emily said appearing out of nowhere.

Hannah and JC ordered and continued the weekly Saturday ritual of a late breakfast.  They had been doing this almost since they had met five years ago. It started with JC bringing Hannah lunch that same day to “ensure that the day was not ruined” and somehow it turned into weekly breakfast on Saturday. Without fail, they two had breakfast together.

“So this song, can you at least tell me about it?” Hannah asked. She looked at him with the face right before the sad puppy face.

“Is that the ‘I’m about the beg look?” JC asked.

Hannah laughed. “Maybe, but if you don’t want to tell me, fine. It’s not like I should get my hopes up about ever hearing it on an album anyway.” She winked at him as she bit into her bacon.

“Oh burn! Are you trying to reverse psychology the situation?” He teased.

“Only if it’s working!” She smiled.

“I assure you, it’s not working. I really should have a lock on this book.” He laughed.

“Okay, so you won’t let me read it. You won’t sing it for me. Can you at least, I don’t know, give me the story? Like what it’s about?” She pried.

“Why are you so into this song?”

“Cause your songs are never this big of a secret!” She giggled. “Usually, you piss and moan for a couple days in the privacy of your studio then its over. I don’t have to hear about it or try to pry it out of you!”

“Am I really that predictable?” He questioned.

“I wouldn’t call it predictable, maybe just very routine?” She offered.

He smirked. “So predictable.”

“Joshua, I hate it when you do that to me!” She laughed.

“Do what? Be right?” He joined her laughter.

The two enjoyed their breakfast. The plan for the day was to eat some breakfast and spend the rest of the day Christmas shopping.

“I’m so tired. I hate shopping on weekends.” Hanna complained. She sat on a bench and dropped her bags on the ground. The mall was packed and she wanted nothing more than a warm drink and foot massage.

“This was your idea. I offered to go shopping with you during the week!” He pointed out.

“I know, but I have such idiot clients. I have to work during the week.”

“Maybe you should call out sick and go shopping with me?” He suggested.

“Yeah, just to get my picture posted in a magazine. So much for being sick!” She chuckled.

JC sat down next to her. “Lets call it a day. We’ll grab some takeout and head back to your place to enjoy a movie. Deal?”

“You don’t have plans tonight?” Hannah asked.

“I was just trying to make some.” He winked.

“Deal. But I really want to rent Pitch Perfect.” She stood up and grabbed her bags.

“Really? I have to watch that garbage?” He asked.

“You suggested it, remember?” She teased. She stated to walk away.

“I suggested a movie, not a torture session.”

“You watch Pitch Perfect and I’ll watch whatever you want afterward.” She compromised. “Deal?”

“Deal.”  They continued their trek to the car and headed back toward Hannah’s condo.

That following Wednesday, Hannah decided to head home early. The office had been pretty quiet and she really wanted to get out of there. She had her assistant forward all calls to her cell and figured working from home with a nice bottle of cabernet was the best way to finish out her day.

Hannah climbed in her car and “ordered” her car Bluetooth to call Mike. She sucked at these types of things, so she hoped it actually called him.

“Hannah banana!” Mike’s voice boomed over the speakers. “What’s goin’ on?”

“I’m cutting out early from work. I figured I’d bust out a bottle of cab and get some Chinese. You down?” She spoke. She felt funny speaking to no one. She pulled out of her space and headed towards the main street.

“I wouldn’t mind some Chinese, but I’m at the studio with JC. Why don’t you stop by and we can all grab a bite afterward?” Mike asked.

“Sounds good. I’m headed your way!” She said. They ended their call and Hannah made her way towards the studio, which happened to be at JC’s house.

As usual, she let herself in and headed upstairs to the spare bedroom that had been transformed into a studio. She quietly opened the door and was greeted with the most pleasant sight. JC was behind the glass, recording a song.

You're more than a lover
There could never be another
To make me feel the way you do
Oh we just get closer
I fall in love all over
Every time I look at you
I don't know where I'd be
Without you here with me
Life with you makes perfect sense
You're my best friend
You're my best friend, oh yeah

“Dude, I gotta do that again, my voice cracked.” JC instructed, looking up for the first time. “Hannah, what are you doing here?” JC took the earphones off and hung them on the music stand in front of him. He came through the door so he could talk to her. “You’re not supposed to be here.”

“I, um, I-“ Hannah started. Instead of finishing she turned and left the room. She made her way down the stairs as fast as her legs would carry her.

JC quickly went chasing after her. “Hannah, stop!” JC called as she reached the door. She paused for a moment then quickly went through the door. JC sped up his pace. He had to get to her before she got to her car.

He chased her down the pathway, calling her name. She fumbled with her keys and finally got the door unlocked. As she opened the door, his hand forced the car door closed. “JC, let me go!” Hannah pleaded.

“No, not until we’ve talked.”

Hannah kept her back towards JC. “Talk about what? I think everything has been said.” Hannah’s voice was quiet.

“It hasn’t, plus, you just-“ JC stopped himself. He needed to gather his thoughts quickly if he wanted her to stay. “Please stay and at least hear my out. After that, if you want to leave, I won’t stop you.”

Hannah thought for a moment. She turned around and looked at JC. Taking a deep breath, she answered, “You have five minutes.”

“Thank you. Please, come inside.” JC said grasping her hand to lead her back into the house.

“No, I want to stay right here.”

“Okay.” JC half smiled. He ran his fingers through his hair. “Hannah, I was going to give that song to you for Christmas. The last few months my feelings have changed. From the moment I met you, I knew you would be a fixture in my life forever. At the time it was just as friends, but lately it’s just been different. I,” JC paused. He was going to say it and there was no turning back, “I’m in love with you.”

He looked at Hannah waiting for a reply. She said nothing. Her eyes were glued to the ground. The silence between them was awkward for the first time in five years. “I don’t know what to say.”  JC stood there waiting for something, anything. The look on Hannah’s face gave him hope that maybe she had more to say. “Jace, I’ve never looked at you as more than my friend. You’ve always been the guy I could count on, you’ve been my best friend. I just,” Hannah paused, “I need to think.” Hannah quickly got into her car. As the engine purred, JC slowly walked backwards. He watched her back out of the driveway.

He wasn’t ready to go back into the house. Part of him was holding out hope that she would pull back into the driveway and say that she felt the same. He sat down in the grass while he waited.

“Well, how’d it go?” Mike asked from behind him.

JC turned to look at him then faced the driveway again. “Well, I told her I love her.”

“And?”

“She didn’t say she hates me, but she left.” JC explained. Mike sat next to him.

“Well man, give her some time. I’m sure she’ll come around.” Mike offered.

“I know, but it’s not what I was hoping for. I was hoping she’d hear the song then tell me she feels the same.” JC lamented. “I mean, don’t girls say they want to be with someone that is their best friend? I mean, c’mon, I am her best friend.”

“That’s the point. You’re her friend, dude. Making that jump from friends to more isn’t an easy one.”

“I know.” The men sat there for a bit. The breeze picked back up and forced the men inside. “I need to finish that song.” JC started up the stairs. Mike followed him up the stairs and into the studio.

Several days had passed and no one had heard from Hannah. JC was hoping he could just call her and talk to her like he used to. He pressed her name in his contacts and her phone started to ring. It rang forever before her voicemail clicked in.

“Hey you’ve reach Hannah. I’m either away from my phone or ignoring you, so take a chance and leave a message!”  Her voice rang through his ears.

“Hey Han, it’s me. It’s about 7:40 on Wednesday. Christmas is next week and just wanted to see if we were still on for our annual day of movies and junk food. Call me back, bye.” JC pressed end and set the phone down on the arm of the couch. Well that was bust.

Later that night, JC’s phone went off signaling a text message. It was from Hannah.  His heart started to race.

Headed to my folks for Christmas.

That’s it. That’s all it said. She never went home for Christmas. She usually visited her family after the new year. He didn’t respond. He didn’t know what to say. So he left it.

Christmas came and went. JC Skyped with his family as he usually did for Christmas.  Mike came over and they enjoyed take out and the basketball game. JC checked his phone incessantly hoping that Hannah would make some form of contact with him.

“Dude, stop checking your phone. That’s not going to make her call you.” Mike teased.

“I know. It’s just weird. I haven’t talked to her for almost three weeks.” JC offered.

“If I tell you something, will you promise to not get upset?”

That got JC’s attention. “Depends on what it is.”

Mike shot him a look. JC’s expression changed. “She’s at home.”

“Wait, what?” JC asked.

“She didn’t go to her folks. She’s at home.” Mike told him. That’s all it took for JC to grab his keys and head out the door.

He couldn’t get to her condo fast enough. He pulled into the garage and parked in Mike’s spot. The elevator took him up to the 8th floor and he ran to her door. He stood there and stared at the number posted on the door. He smoothed out his clothing and took a deep breath.

He knocked. He listened for any kind of sound to come from the other side of the door. He felt like he had waited forever. He raised his hand to knock again, when the door opened. Hannah’s face was on the other end and held a look of surprise. “JC?”

“You’re not at your parents.” He suggested.

She opened the door wider. “No I’m not.” She couldn’t look at him. She had lied to him and had gotten caught. “Do you want to come in?”

He stepped in her apartment like he had done so many times. “Take out?” He asked looking at the boxes of food on the counter.

“Junk food and movies is a tradition.” She answered.

“No, the tradition is take out and movies together on Christmas.” JC said.

Hannah made her way back to the couch.  JC followed her and sat down next to her. “Jace, I’m sorry.”

“For what?”

“For running away then hiding from you.” Hannah looked at him. “What you said kind of freaked me out. I mean, you’ve been my best friend almost since I moved here and then you suddenly say you love me. It was a lot to digest.”

“I know. You weren’t supposed to find out that way. I was going to do it all differently and warm you up to the idea.” JC explained.

“I don’t think I need to be warmed up to the idea. I mean, I thought about it and Jace, you’re my best friend. You’re there for me and these last couple weeks not having you around has been torture.” Hannah smiled.

“What are you saying?”

“I’m saying that not having you here to talk to and be with made me realize that I’m in love with you too.” Hannah’s smile got wider.

As soon as JC processed what she had said he grabbed her face and kissed her. “Really?” He asked as he pulled away.

“Really.” She smiled.

He kissed her again. “Best Christmas ever.”

She smiled. “Merry Christmas.”

“Merry Christmas.” He responded.

 

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2480