Dashing Through The Snow by Whit1210
Summary:

The best lessons are often learned at Christmas.  JC is about to learn the key to fatherhood and marriage:  keeping his promises. 

For my secret santa, JSC_OutOfSync!  Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!


Categories: Challenges, Completed Het Stories Characters: JC Chasez
Awards: None
Genres: Drama, Romance
Challenges: *NSYNC-Fiction Secret Santa 2012
Challenges: *NSYNC-Fiction Secret Santa 2012
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: Yes Word count: 4415 Read: 3021 Published: Dec 30, 2012 Updated: Dec 30, 2012

1. Chapter 1: Promising Promises by Whit1210

2. Chapter 2: A Change of Plans by Whit1210

3. Chapter 3: In the Christmas Spirit by Whit1210

4. Chapter 4: Dashing Through The Snow by Whit1210

Chapter 1: Promising Promises by Whit1210

December 21st

Emma slid the baking sheet out of the oven and rested it on the stovetop.  She pulled her oven mitt off as she glanced at the clock.  “Parker,” she called out, as she looked over at her son.  He had his eyes glued to the television staring at the weather report.  “You should head upstairs and change.  It’s almost time for us to leave.”

“But, Dad’s still not home.  He’s going to miss me in the show, isn’t he?”  He pouted as he crossed his arms with disappointment.  “Mom, he always misses everything.” 

She slipped her hands behind her back to untie her apron and gave him a reassuring smile.  “Your Dad is not going to miss your holiday concert.  He’s probably working really hard so he can take more time off for the holiday.  He’ll head straight to the school and meet us when we get there.  Now head up and get changed so we make it on time.” 

He looked at her curiously.  “Mom, do you think the baby can hear music?”

She slid her hands over her pregnancy bump and smiled, “I sure hope so.  When you were in here, your father used to sing to you all the time.”

“Do you think that’s why I like to sing?”

She smiled, “You’re a Chasez.  I’m pretty sure it’s in your genes!”

“My jeans?”  He looked down at his pants with confusion. 

She laughed, “Not that kind of jeans, but that reminds me that it is time for you to change your clothes.  Upstairs, Parker James.” 

He nodded as he scurried up the stairs to his room. 

**

JC sat at his desk, frantically reviewing e-mails as a sound-byte played in the background.  Through the glass doors of his office he could see the large staff Christmas gathering.  He was too concerned with tying up loose ends before leaving to partake in the celebrations.  His focus was interrupted as his door opened and he heard the blaring music from the lobby.

Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree

At the Christmas Party Hop

Mistletoe hung where you can see

Every couple tries to stop

“Mr. Chasez?” his assistant looked at him quizzically.  “Did you hear the phone ringing?”

He looked up, “Oh, Andrea, could you please hold my calls?  I have to get through this so I can leave on time.”

“I know, but it’s your wife on line three for you.”

He looked at his watch and nodded, “Thank you.”  He picked up the phone and hit the line.  “Hi honey, how are you?”

“JC, where are you?”  He could tell from her tone that Emma was annoyed.

“I know tonight is Parker’s school concert.  Don’t worry, I’ll meet you there.  I promise.”

Emma sighed, “Please, JC.  I know work is busy, but Parker really wants you to be here for this.”

“Don’t worry honey.  I’m going to make it.”

**

JC sighed as he sat in gridlocked traffic on the highway.  The concert was starting in eight minutes and the school was roughly fifteen minutes away.  He checked his rearview mirror and groaned.  Peering over his shoulder cautiously, he pulled into the breakdown lane.  He grinned to himself as he cruised through and headed towards the exit.  “I am going to make it.  I am going to make it,” he chanted to himself.  He was just about to make the turn for the exit ramp when he heard sirens and saw police car lights heading towards him.  “Damn it!  I am not going to make it.”

He pulled over and put the car into park as he fidgeted in anticipation of the police officer approaching his car. 

“License and registration, please,” the officer said as he pulled out a notepad. 

“Sir, I’m in a huge hurry.  I am late for my son’s holiday concert and I promised him I’d be there.”

The police officer slid his sunglasses up and raised an eyebrow at him.  “I do apologize if I’ve caused you some sort of a delay by pulling you over.  How thoughtless of me.  The last thing I would want would be to inconvenience you, Sir.” The cop’s sarcasm made JC immediately regret his words.

“I’m sorry officer, I didn’t mean to offend you.  It’s just…my son…”

“Step out of the vehicle.”

“Uh, really?  I know you’re going to give me a ticket, but why do I…”

“Step out of the vehicle.  Please walk in a straight line.”

JC sighed as he saw that the show had started three minutes ago.  He walked in straight line, praying no one with a camera would snap a shot of him and send it to a tabloid.  “Are we done now?  I haven’t had anything to drink, if that’s what you were…”

“Recite the alphabet, backwards.” 

JC felt his mind whirling, “Z, Y, X…”

**

He let out a long sigh as he saw the empty elementary school parking lot.  “I didn’t make it.”  He knew he’d be late.  But missing the whole thing wasn’t what he had planned.  He rested his head on the steering wheel knowing that he’d have to face a very disappointed son when he finally made it home. 

**

He headed into the house, feeling tense as his exhaustion hit him.  He met Emma’s gaze in the kitchen. 

She crossed her arms at the sight of him.  “Do you know what time it is, Josh?”

He sighed and stuck his hands into his pockets.  “Honey, you should have seen the traffic.  It was a parking lot out there.  I was pulled over and got a ticket and-“

She put her hand up.  “Don’t explain it to me.  It wasn’t my concert that you missed.”  She motioned to the family room where Parker was watching television in his pajamas.

“Hey, PJ,” JC said, sitting down next to him. 

Parker ignored him and kept his focus on the television in front of him.  The Weather Channel was reporting on a major winter storm that was going to be hitting the East Coast in time for Christmas.    

“Look champ, about your concert tonight.  I really wanted to be there and I tried really hard.  It wasn’t my fault that I missed it.”

Parker pressed his lips together, but said nothing.

“I hear you’re giving your old man a run for his money with those vocal chords of yours and some of the parents video-taped the whole show so I am going to make sure I see all of it.”  JC looked over at Emma, who was listening while she washed dishes in the sink. 

Parker quietly sat, absorbing what his father had said.  When he was ready he cleared his throat a little.  “Dad, the thing is that you always say that you wanted to be there and it wasn’t your fault, but you never come.  This concert was really important to me.  All my other friends’ Dads were there.”    

“I saw your basketball game last weekend,” JC offered.

Parker rolled his eyes, “Well, you didn’t come until half-time and you missed my three-pointer.”

JC settled down next to him on the couch.  “You’re right, Parker.  Work has been really tough lately, but it’s not an excuse to miss all of these important moments with you.  I really am sorry.  How can I make it up to you?” 

His son looked at him strangely, “What do you mean how?”

JC grinned, “How about I do something special for you?  Is there something you have been wanting for Christmas?” 

PJ shook his head, “Dad, don’t worry about it.  I got it covered – I wrote to Santa.”

JC nodded, “Right, of course.  But, Santa sometimes gets really busy and Moms and Dads try to help out when they can.”

He shook his head, “No, Dad.  It’s not really a big deal, I think Santa is going to come through on this one.  The Weather Channel seems to already be showing signs of it.”  Parker had always been fascinated with the weather and was usually dissatisfied with the lack of variation in Los Angeles weather patterns. 

“Come on PJ, what do you want for Christmas?”

His eyes lit up, “Snow!’

JC looked at him with a perplexed face, “What do you mean snow?”

“Everybody on the East Coast is going to have a white Christmas.  I always wanted one!  I want to go sledding and make a snowman and drink cocoa and then open Christmas presents.  That sounds amazing!”

JC smiled, “It does feel more like Christmas when you’re in the East then when you’re out here in California.  There’s not much of a chance of snow in our yard.  But, we’re visiting Grandma and Grandpa in Maryland for Christmas.”

Parker nodded, “Yes and see, the weather report says that it is going to snow in Maryland!  Santa made the storm happen.”

“That Santa is pretty awesome.  Since I can’t make it snow, how about I provide you with all of the cold-weather items you are going to need to enjoy it?  Sleds, tubes, the whole works!  I promise that you and I are going to build a snow fort on Christmas day, Parker!”

His son jumped up in response.  “Thanks Dad!  I love you!”

“I love you, too, Parker.  Now, head on upstairs and get ready for bed.”

**


“Did you see us bonding, Emma?  He was so excited about snow.  Our son is a constant surprise,” he smiled as he changed out of his work clothes and let out a yawn. 

“That reminds me.  What is your plan if it doesn’t snow while we’re there?” she asked. 

He shook his head, “It is going to snow.  Worst case scenario, I will take him up to a ski resort or something so he can play around in it.”  He slipped into his pajamas and settled on to the bed. 

“Well, I’m glad you have it all figured out.  He just wants you around more,” she sighed, leaning her head onto his shoulder.  “We both do.”

He laced his fingers with hers and kissed the top of her head.  “I know I have been neglecting both of you lately, but I am putting an end to it.  I love the two of you,” he slid his hand over her stomach, “Well, three of you now, more than anything.” 

She placed the palm of her hand over his.  “I just wish you could find a way to do what you love and be with the ones you love.  There has to be some balance, JC.  Parker is half-way through third-grade now and this little one is going to really shake things up around here.  There are going to be so many firsts I do not want you to miss.” 

“How do you always manage to be so sexy when you put me in my place?” he laughed, running his fingers up her arm. 

She grinned, “Lots of practice.”  She repositioned herself so she was upright.  “Really though, I am due in eight weeks.  Sexy isn’t the first adjective that comes to mind…”

He shook his head, “Pregnancy agrees with you, Emma.  You are glowing.  It is such a turn-on.”  He cupped her chin and pulled her to him, kissing her deeply.  Her cheeks flushed in response. 

“Well, at least we won’t have any surprises since I am already with child,” she chuckled as he pulled at her nightgown.   

**

Chapter 2: A Change of Plans by Whit1210

December 22nd

The smell of pumpkin wafted through the hallway as JC made his way to the plate of pumpkin pancakes waiting for him on the kitchen table.  “My favorite,” he beamed as he grabbed a fork. 

Parker bounded down the stairs dressed with his coat on.  “Come on, Dad.  Hurry – we have to get to the Christmas parade!” 

“I promise I will eat these very quickly,” he said and dug into his food.

“Mom, we are going to meet Mikey there, right?”

Emma nodded, “Yes, Mikey and his Mom are there – Sarah promised to save us spots real close.”

JC finished chewing before speaking up.  “Plus, I can put you on my shoulders so you have the best view in the city.”

**

“Dad!  Look, there goes Snoopy!”  Parker was in awe of the floats as they moved by their spot on the sidewalk. 

Sarah and Emma were catching up while the boys took in the sights of the parade.  Emma suddenly put her hand to her side and grimaced.  “Emma, are you alright?” Sarah asked with concern.

“I think I am having contractions,” she exhaled.  “Sarah, could you watch Parker for us?  I think I should go to the hospital.”

Sarah nodded, “Yes, of course.  I’ll stay here with the kids and then take Parker back to our house.  Call me and keep me updated.”

“JC, honey,” Emma nudged him and whispered, “I need to go to the hospital.”

“What’s wrong?” he asked with concern.

“I think I am having contractions.”

He slid Parker off of his shoulders and knelt down so he was eye-to-eye with him.  “Parker, Mom isn’t feeling well so we are going to take her to the doctor.  You stay here with Mikey and his Mom, okay?  You can hang out at their house when the parade is over.”

Parker nodded, “Okay.  Mom, feel better.”

**

JC carefully helped Emma into their bedroom by the arm.  “Alright, let’s get some comfortable pajamas for you to change into.”  He pulled open the top dresser drawer to rifle through. 

She sighed as she slowly starting undressing herself.  “I cannot believe I have to be on bed rest for the duration of this pregnancy.  Eight weeks in bed?  After a few hours I am sure I will already be restless.”

He handed her a sweatshirt.  “Just make sure you are comfortable.  We are going to make this work, Emma.  I have the week off for Christmas so in the meantime I will be here to take care of you and Parker.”

“I just feel like I am ruining Christmas.  You two have to go to Maryland and see the family.  I will skype or something.  Plus, we were supposed to go to Florida afterwards to see your family and spend New Year’s with them.  This whole thing is a disaster.”  She pulled the sweatshirt over her head and pulled her hair out of her ponytail as she settled onto the bed. 

“Emma, you are being ridiculous.  Parker and I are having Christmas with you – we are not going to leave you all alone here.  We can see the grandparents after the holidays.”  He handed her an extra pillow to help ease her back against the headboard. 

“I just have so much to do and I feel a little helpless.  At least I am allowed to get up to shower and use the restroom – that would definitely be the breaking point,” she sighed. 

“So what are these things you need to do?  I can take care of it,” he said. 

“Well…I need to finish Christmas shopping.  Then there’s the cooking and the cleaning and getting Parker around.  Maybe we should get someone to help-“

“-Emma, I can do this.  I will take care of all of it.  Let’s get you situated and then I will call Sarah.  She said she’d drop off Parker around dinner time.  We will explain everything to him and take it from there.”

She nodded with sadness, “He just really wanted to be in Maryland for Christmas to play in the snow.  I feel so bad, Josh.”

“We have to get you feeling better first, Em.  I do not want to see you feeling down like this three days before Christmas.  Now, let me grab the things around the house you should have within reach.”  He quickly gathered what he could, including her laptop and phone, tissues and lip balm, books and magazines. 

“You’re being really amazing,” she held his hand and giggled slightly.  “When the Doctor says that we are allowed to have sex again I am definitely going to make this up to you.”

“Maybe we can spend that time in bed all day by choice,” he smiled. 

**

Sarah dropped off Parker and JC met him at the door to fill him in on Emma’s condition.

“So, listen PJ, Mom isn’t feeling so well.  So, we are going to stay here for Christmas.  I know you had you wanted to see your grandparents and all of that so I will make sure we get out there real soon.”  He nervously awaited Parker’s reaction. 

Parker nodded, “That’s okay, Dad.  My baby sister is more important than snow.”

“Mom has to stay in bed for a while,” he said.

“Dad, is Mom grounded?” he asked, confused.

JC laughed, “No, she just has to lie down so that she and the baby feel better and get some rest.”

“Oh, okay.  Can I go in and see her?”

JC nodded, “I’m going to cook dinner.”

“Cook?  What do you mean cook?”  Parker furrowed his brows. 

“Parker, I can cook.”

Parker laughed loudly, “You can order pizza, Dad.  Or microwave something.”

JC shook his head, “I am quite capable of feeding you and your Mom.  How about grilled cheese?”

Parker scrunched his nose.  “I guess I trust you to make that okay.”  He headed upstairs to the master bedroom.  “Mom?  Are you doing okay?”

She looked up, “Yeah, thanks Parker.  Did Dad tell you about Christmas?”

He nodded, “We are going to stay here.”  He went around the bed and hopped up onto the other side. 

“I’m sorry Parker, I know you wanted to have snow on Christmas,” she sighed, fighting back a sob.

“Mom, don’t worry about it.  My baby sister and you are a lot more important than snow.”

She fought back tears as she slipped her arm around him.  “When did you become so wise?”

“I think it was somewhere around kindergarten, Mom.  Can I watch a movie with you while Dad finishes making dinner?”

She looked at him strangely.  “What did you say?”

“Dad is making dinner.”

She let out a laugh, “Pizza or Chinese?”

He shook his head, “He is attempting to make grilled cheese.”

JC poked his head in, “My attempt was a success!”  He presented two plates of grilled cheese sandwiches from behind his back. 

Parker cocked his head at his father.  “I can eat in here?”

JC nodded, “We are going to have dinner with your mother.”  He retreated to the kitchen and returned with a tablecloth which he laid on the bed, as well as a third plate for himself. 

Parker snapped his fingers.  “Oh, this is like a picnic.” He took a bite of his sandwich, “Dad, this is pretty good.” 

Emma smiled, “Very good.” 

JC smiled with satisfaction as he took a bite of his own, “I can handle this.”

**

Chapter 3: In the Christmas Spirit by Whit1210

December 23rd

“Alright, Parker, you and I have quite the two-do list today to prepare for Christmas.”

“What do we need to do?”  Parker slid into a stool at the kitchen counter. 

“Well, we have to make these Christmas cookies.”  JC held the recipe card in his hand and attempted to assemble the necessary ingredients. 

Parker sighed, “Dad, the grilled cheese sandwiches were good and all, but I think making cookies is a little out of your league.”

JC shook his head, “Baking is easy, we just have to follow the recipe…”

Parker laughed as he took the mixing bowl and the flour and moved it in front of him.  “Okay, Dad, whatever you say…”

An hour later, the two had successfully managed to put one batch of cookies in the oven.  They were sloppy and strange looking, but the batter tasted pretty good.  Parker believed that this meant they had at least put the right amount of ingredients in and that their ugly cookies would taste right. 

JC looked slightly disappointed as he watched the cookies baking.  “I don’t get it – we followed the recipe just right.” 

“Dad, don’t worry – icing can hide anything.”

**

JC and Parker came into the bedroom, stirring Emma from a nap.  “Where do you think?” JC asked him.  Emma looked at them both with confusion. 

“Over there!  Yes, over there!” Parker pointed to the corner near the window.

“What are you two talking about?” she asked, groggily. 

“Mom, you’ll see.”

A few moments later, JC returned with the Christmas tree from the family room.  He had taken the ornaments and garland, but kept the lights on.  He hauled it into the corner of the bedroom and plugged it in, relieved when it was relit.  Parker followed behind him with the garland and the two furiously wrapped the garland back around it until the tree was fully dressed.  The two left the room again and came back in lugging a large box containing all of the ornaments from the tree.  Parker went to work unwrapping all of them and JC started hanging them back on the tree. 

Parker stood back, examining their work.  “Well, what do you think Mom?”

“I think it looks even more beautiful than it did in the other room.  What made you two decide to move it in here?”

JC looked up from the tree.  “Emma, we are spending Christmas in here with you.  We are not going to sit in the family room without you.” 

**

Chapter 4: Dashing Through The Snow by Whit1210

December 24th

JC’s day had consisted of running around all of the major shopping malls for about five hours until all of the gift shopping and stocking stuffers had been purchased.  He also purchased a considerable amount of wrapping paper to ensure he was able to get it all done when he arrived home.  He then had to hit the grocery store with a sizeable list to ensure he had all of the ingredients for everything that needed cooking. 

He arrived home to find Parker in bed with Emma, working on a coloring book.  The Weather Channel was on and Parker was focusing on the Winter Weather reporting.  He was determined to see if there was going to be even an ounce of snow in California anywhere near them. 

**

December 25th

Emma awoke to the stirring of the bed as JC slipped out of the room.  She looked over and saw his handy work – a pile of presents wrapped under the tree.  He had also taken the stockings and hung them over the dresser in lieu of a fireplace.  He came back in with Parker and a tray of mugs of hot cocoa. 

“I found this little hooligan in the kitchen.  Can’t wake him up for school, but when it’s Christmas day he wakes early, no alarm necessary,” he chuckled as he handed Emma a mug.  Parker took in the sight of all the presents in the room and grinned as he studied the tree intently, deciding which present would be his first to open. 

Emma smiled, “Go on, PJ.  You can open them, go nuts!”

He eagerly snatched a box with his name on it and ripped at the paper.  The box contained gloves, a hat and a scarf.  He sighed, “Well, this will be good for later, I guess.”

JC nodded, “Pick out another present to open, champ.”

Parker ripped open another box and found a pair of snow pants.  Emma could tell he was fighting a frown from his muted facial expression.  “Oh, these are nice.”

Emma looked over at JC.  These were not the presents on the shopping list and she was growing concerned that Parker was going to be disappointed since they were not in Maryland to enjoy the snowy weather.  “Josh?”

He looked back at her with a twinkle in his eye and a knowing smile.  Clearly he had a plan up his sleeve.  Maybe he would take Parker snowboarding in the mountains soon. 

“I guess I will open the big one,” Parker said, taking the large box from under the tree and sliding it out so he could get a good grasp around it.  He opened it and made a sighing sound as he pulled out a red sled.  “Um, this is neat.” 

JC ignored his son’s disappointment and turned to Emma.  “Okay, honey, I want you to turn the television to input.”

She looked at him strangely, but did as she was told.  “What is that?  Is that our yard?”  It appeared to be a live-feed of their backyard from a camcorder JC had set up downstairs.  Except that the yard was covered in snow.  “How did you-“

JC pulled an inflatable tube out from the bathroom and pointed to Parker.  “Get your sled, PJ.”

“What are you talking about Dad?”

JC headed out into the hallway and pointed out the window.  “We’re hitting the slopes!”

“It SNOWED?  It SNOWED?  Dad, how did it snow?  How did you do this?” 

JC smiled, “I had a little help from Santa.”

“This is the coolest!  The coolest, Dad!  I wish Mom could see this!”

“I set up a video camera so she can see everything, okay?”

Parker nodded as he ran down the stairs carrying his sled.  They played in the snow for about two hours before returning into the house. 

Emma smiled, “You guys look like you had fun!  JC, this is amazing.  I cannot believe you pulled this off.  How many snow machines did this take?”

He laughed, “More than I would like to admit.  Not sure how long it is going to take to melt, but it should last through today at least.”

“Well, what an amazing surprise,” she smiled, settling back down on the bed. 

“I have another surprise,” he said as he presented her with a roll of papers.

She unrolled it and stared at what appeared to be blueprints.  “What is this?

“This is the blueprint to the office space downstairs I am going to convert into a recording studio,” he said as he pointed along the piece of paper.

“A home studio?” she asked with excitement. 

He nodded, “Yes.  I am going to start working from home a lot more.  Spending this much time with you two over these past few days reminded me how much I love it.  I do not want to miss another moment.”

“JC, this is amazing,” she said, looking over the blueprints in awe.  “It is going to be so much easier for you to set your own hours now.”   

He pressed his lips to her forehead as he ran his hand over her stomach.  “I told you both I would start keeping my promises.” 

 

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2486