Making A List, Checking It Twice by kasia87
Summary: Meredith Carson finds herself in a predicament when she has to compete against non other than Lance Bass to throw a charity gala. Will the stress of gala planning, the holiday and her upcoming wedding to one, JC Chasez be more than she can handle? 
Categories: Challenges Characters: JC Chasez
Awards: None
Genres: Romance
Challenges: *NSYNC-Fiction Secret Santa 2012
Challenges: *NSYNC-Fiction Secret Santa 2012
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 7719 Read: 2395 Published: Jan 10, 2013 Updated: Jan 10, 2013
Story Notes:

For my secret santa, acciolovesongs 

I apologize for sucking and not posting it on time, but better late than never!!!  

1. Chapter 1 by kasia87

2. Chapter 2 by kasia87

3. Chapter 3 by kasia87

4. Chapter 4 by kasia87

5. Chapter 5 by kasia87

Chapter 1 by kasia87

"Good morning, Los Angeles! How are you this fine December day? Meredith Carson here, for your morning commute on Radio XM’s ‘Meredith in the Morning’. Let's count here. There are 6 days until Christmas and if you haven't even started that Christmas shopping, I'd be in panic mode. Guys, I'm talking to you. Ladies, if you need to find a man to accompany you to that holiday or upcoming new years party, you know where to find them? The day before Christmas scrambling at the mall, doing that ultimate last second shopping. Alright I'll update your traffic report in just a few minutes. Until then here's a dose of Christmas music to start your day. Good Morning!"


She pushed the button on the switchboard in front of her, queued up a song another song on her screen and rested her headphones around her neck as Michael Buble's version of "Let It Snow" went through the airwaves. Meredith Carson's morning radio program had become a way of life for her. 4 AM commutes to work made her slightly envious as she gently kissed her fiance's sleeping figure goodbye. He got to stay in bed while she readied herself for her show.

Earlier that year she had proposed what she thought was a rather brilliant idea to her fiance JC.

"One of these days, I'm going to start broadcasting from home. In my pajamas so I don’t have to leave you in the mornings," she told him. We can put my studio in the lower level of the house. You know, next to your home studio? It could be my Christmas gift this year."

JC Chasez shook his head as she settled into his lap. "Right. I'll get right on that, Meredith. After the twenty Christmas songs I have to record and produce with twenty different artists."

"I thought you said that Christmas albums are recorded in the other eleven months of the year, Mr. Producer," she said, poking him in the ribs.

"They are. 120 different versions of the same eight Christmas songs. You've never had to sing "White Christmas" in the middle of July, when it's 106 degrees out and there's a plastic tree sitting next to you and tinsel on your microphone."

He had a point.

As the song rolled on, she quickly checked her emails. December was going to be a busy month. The light caught her engagement ring, bringing out the stone’s glimmer.  Not only were they on the cusp of the holiday madness, her upcoming wedding to Mr. JC Chasez was less than a month away. Right after the new year, in a very intimate and private ceremony, they would exchange their vows on the sandy beaches of the Cayman Islands and start their honeymoon there.  

JC had been more than adamant on getting her together with a premier wedding planner, but she firmly insisted that a wedding planner was only there for show. They both wanted a low key, intimate wedding, but there were so many details yet to attend to and Meredith was stubborn.

Her focus reverted back to her radio program and she cut to an advertising break when her assistant Logan tapped on her door.

"What's up Logan?"

The young sandy haired man rushed in and took a seat next to her. "This is HUGE. Meredith, have you heard?"

"Heard what?"

Logan pushed his seat closer to her and clicked through her email. He pulled up a document from the head of the Sirius Radio corporation on his tablet. "They've picked two jockeys to have a holiday party for charity. The soiree and DJ that raises the most cash for charity gets an extra Christmas bonus, a new time slot for their program, a ton of promo for their show, first picks for guest lineups. The works."

"Yeah, I'm listening."

"Look at the list."

She took his tablet and scrolled down the page. "What? Oh my god. No way."

"Way. Oh, JC left you a message. He's meeting you for lunch at the cafe down from the station at 11:35."

She stifled a laugh as he handed her a note. "Trust me, that means at least 12:15 in Chasez time."  

Later that afternoon, after her show had wrapped, she made her way to the parking garage. As she looked at her blue Jetta, her heart sank. Pulling out her phone, she made a call she didn't want to have to make.

"Damn it. Pick up the phone Jace, " she said aloud.

"Meredith, " he answered. "Hi. I know, lunch at 11:35. I'm on my way. I'm stuck in traffic."

"You're going to hate me," she blurted out. "You remember that thing you keep reminding me to be careful of? That thing you told me not to do?"

She heard him sigh over the phone. "Mere! Not again! Third time this week!"

She pulled on the handle of her car door once more to check. "I know, I know. My keys are definitely locked in the car... Again."

JC sighed again. "Okay. Let's not panic. I'll pick you up at the station and then go get the spare keys. I'm telling you. You and keys don’t go together. House keys, car keys..."

He was right. She’d lost her house keys just last month, and a set of keys to her office at Sirius 6 months prior. "Unfortunately, I agree."

“Be there soon.”

She walked back to her office cursing under her breath as she struggled to open the door. “Shit.” .
“Ah. Such a pretty lady, such a dirty little mouth,” she heard a voice drawl from behind her.  

She was no longer in the mood for this as she stomped her heel in frustration.  

“Oh will you just,” she started as she turned around and came face to face with none other than
fellow Sirius personality and friend, Lance Bass. Her mood quickly did a turn around when she met his green eyes.

“Oh my gosh, Lance,” she exclaimed, embracing him. “It’s been so long since I’ve seen you.”

“I know. It has been a while. And on that note, the next time I see you, you’ll be a happily married woman, Mrs. Chasez.” He lifted her hand to look at the engagement ring. “What a sparkler!”

“Carson-Chasez.” she corrected. “Although JC doesn’t like that at all. That might be a fight over that.  Less than a month and so much stress.”

“But it’ll all be worth it in the end. And I’ll be waiting for a dance with the bride.”

“You’d better believe it. What are you doing in LA? You’re primarily based in NYC.”

“Have you seen the jockey list lately?”

She bit her lip pensively and met his eyes. “Yes...”

Logan passed her a message and smiled. “This is going to be good!”

“So.... you’re my holiday party competition,” Lance smiled. “Out of all the people!”

“I guess so... Your party planning versus mine. How does this work?” She struggled with the door again.

“So, the hotel next to Sirius is throwing the party. You get one ballroom, I get the other. Each of us have a charity that we have to raise money for through sponsors, donations, appearances ticket sales, our radio shows etc.”

“Okay,” she said, finally kicking the office door and it opened swiftly.

Lance followed her in. “I’m raising money for Trevor Project. Remember the gala JC sang at last year?”

“Of course I do.  I’ll have to do some research to pick a charity”

“You can’t hire a party planner. That’s against the rules. Other than that, there are few limitations. We have a meeting about it sometime soon. You’ll do great, I know you will.”

“Oh...Thanks Lance. Hey, can you come to lunch? JC’s picking me up in a few minutes.”

He shook his head. “Wish I could, but I’ve got a meeting to attend..”

“Hey there,” JC’s voice came as he strolled into her office. He set his sunglasses on his head and leaned on the doorway. “Hey Lance. Broadcasting in LA now?”

Lance got up to give the older man a hug. “Something like that. Your future wife will tell you all.”

“My future wife had better stop locking her damn keys in the car on a weekly basis,” he scolded, tossing her another set. A stern look flashed her way and Lance let out a laugh.  

“Oh, I love you.” She caught them in the air and ran up to kiss him. “Off to lunch. See you later, Lance.”

When they got to the cafe, Meredith studied the menu rather inattentively. Now her head was spinning with ideas for both the gala and the wedding.

“Just a salad. I feel like I’ve been stress eating lately, and I only have one more fitting for my wedding dress. The last time I was at the bridal boutique, we had to adjust the lacing on my dress,” she remarked.

JC smiled and his eyes drew her in. “Does it matter that much?”

“You would say something like that. Now, I have news for you.”

“I’m listening.” he replied and leaned in a bit closer.

“Well...I found out today that I’m competing against Lance for charity to throw the Sirius Christmas party.”

He stopped for a moment processing what she’d said.

“Lance? Lance Bass? That Lance we just saw?”

“JC, how many other Lances’ do you know?” She rolled her eyes.  

“Woah. Babe, you understand what you’re up against? Lance has always thrown a mean New Year’s party. Like, the best. He knows party throwing.”

“Yes... but I can throw a party. I really think I can do this. This is a huge opportunity and it may give me a step up at Sirius.”

“If you think it’s not too much... you know, with the wedding and all?”

She flipped her dark locks over her shoulder. “I don’t. I think it’ll be great. Now I’ve got to do some research on a charity.”

“That’s a challenge. You don’t think it’ll be too much?”

“No, I really don’t. I need this. I just have to get everything together,” she responded, with a smile. “Did you ever call your brother about Christmas?”

“Already done. We’re flying out the day after I get done in the studio.”

“No... that’s the day of the Christmas party. We can’t. JC, you’ve gotta call and reschedule.”

His eyes scanned her disapprovingly. “Meredith, you can’t just pick up and move Christmas.”

She knew he was right. Their flight tickets had already been booked in advance. “Okay. I’ll mention moving the party. Although I hope that’s not a strike against me.”

“It’s Christmas. I’m sure they’ll understand.”  
















Chapter 2 by kasia87
The next day she took the day off simply to plan. Logan had flooded her inbox with menu idea, music and decor trying to be helpful. She decided on an elegant red and gold theme and had busied herself ordering candles and arranging catering services.

“Let me do the food arrangements,” Logan had texted her. “It’ll be one less thing you have to do and I really wanna help. Classy. Calamari, seabass, prime rib.  classy as hell.”

She hesitantly agreed, after he promised her to approve every step through her.  

“Shoot,” Meredith muttered, shuffling papers on the dining room table.

JC reached for an apple and looked over her shoulder. “How’s that party planning coming?”

She chewed her pen anxiously sorting her papers into piles. “I just mixed up our reception seating with the tables for the gala. What a mess.”

The doorbell rang and a delivery truck pulled up to the drive. “I got it, honey.” JC yelled as he ran for the door.

A moment later he walked into the house carrying two large boxes.

“Hi babe,” he said, walking past her, a grin on his face.

She barely looked up from her laptop. “Boxes? Is that for the studio?”

“Mhmm,” he murmured and carried the boxes to the basement steps.

“What’d you get?” She chewed her pencil as she set up the menu for the gala.

“Oh, few odds and ends. Software and such.”

“Hey...You haven’t seen any boxes come in my name, have you? I’m still waiting on the monogrammed napkins for the wedding reception.”

“I don’t think so,” he called, disappearing down the stairs.  

She went back to the set of notes before her. She’d set up the catering, the decorations were already purchased, and just needed to be hung. There was one final thing that needed to be taken care of. And she’d take care of that, later in the evening.

Shutting her laptop, she switched on the tea kettle when she heard a knock at the door.

“Meredith, will you get that?” JC called. “I’m kind of busy right now.”

She opened the door to find Lance standing in the doorway. “If you’ve come to spy on my planning, then I’m not letting you in.”

He smiled. “Nope, not at all. JC needed my help with something.”

JC showed up behind her and put his arms around her waist. “Oh.. Sorry, someone didn’t mean to jump to conclusions. Come on in, Lance.”

Meredith crossed her arms and frowned. “I didn’t jump to conclusions. This is just.. you know.. big. How’s your planning coming?”

“It’s getting there. Fast approaching, you know. Right before Christmas.,” Lance replied. “Now, what did you need help with JC?”

“Come on down, man. I definitely need some help.”

“What are you guys doing?” Meredith asked, innocently.

“Man stuff,” JC replied with a smile.

“Okay, then...” That was more than an answer for Meredith.

“You just keep doing what you’re doing and plan that party so we can beat Lance’s ass!” JC pointed towards her notes.

With a laugh, Lance shook his head. “Oh how some people dream!”

The two men disappeared to the basement and Meredith went back to her party planning. Almost everything was turning out as she’d hoped. There was just one more thing she needed to take care of and that would come later that night.

Combatting a headache made herself a strong cup of green tea and looked for some pain medication in the medicine cabinet. After a long hot bath, she slipped into her bathrobe and went downstairs.

Lance’s car had left while she’d been upstairs. “Jace? Coming to bed?”

“5 minutes, babe,” his voice called, in between random sounds coming from the basement.    

She caught a glimpse of a basket full of silver wine stoppers and monogrammed candy packets lying near the stairs. Wedding favors for their guests had finally arrived. She quickly picked through them and noticed they’d misdated the candy packets.

Shoot, she thought, inspecting it further. Another thing to add to the ever growing to-do list.

Maybe Logan had been right. Maybe the stress of planning a January wedding and a company gala were simply too much for her to handle.The fact that this was also a competition didn’t help either.

Then again, maybe JC was right too. Maybe Lance was way too much competition for her to handle.   

There were so many perks to the holiday party challenge though. The list of potential celebrity guests on the show was amazing. And all the money for charity would be put to such good use around the holidays.

She had decided on the charity based in San Diego called “A Reason to Survive,” or “ARTS.”  It focused on providing arts programs to children from ages 3 to 18  in the form of therapy and creativity.

As she continued reading, JC came upstairs to get ready for bed.

“I found the charity,” she explained with a grin. As she told him all about the organization, he nodded in approval, taking it all in.

She crawled into bed as he finished brushing his teeth. Her tablet computer lit up the room as she scrolled through some plans and looked for how to fix the wedding favors.

“You don’t like it when I bring my work to bed. Bedtime is for...you know... other things,” he said, rather seductively.

“You can go to sleep,” she replied, smartly. “I won’t keep you up.”

“Not what I had in mind, Mere.” He collapsed against the blue satin pillows and leaned in for a kiss.

She took a moment to think as her lips met his. She needed to phrase her next conversation wisely and might have to do some begging in the process.

"So... I'm wondering... If you'd do something for me, Jace. Just for me? Something extra special?"

She soothingly traced her fingers along the bridge of his nose and onto his lips. Her hand stopped at his chin as she gently ran her nails along his beard.   

"Hmm?" He sleepily adjusted his pillow and reached for the bedside light.

"Well..." She placed her hands on his chest and gently ran her fingers down his neck. "I think I have that one little thing that would put my party over the top."

"Yeah? What are you thinking?"

“It’d be something extra special,” she continued, as she lay down to meet his gaze.  “For the best of intentions, not to mention charity.”

“Are you going to tell me or not?”

"If you'd.... sing at my party? For charity?" She closed her eyes tightly as if awaiting impact.

"Uh uh. No, Meredith," he protested. “Normally, I wouldn't have a problem with that.”

"Babe..." she started. She hadn’t anticipated him saying no to the offer.

“No.” He shook his head vehemently.  

“JC!”  

"Meredith, it's not that I won't... I just... can't." He shifted his weight in bed and turned the other direction.

"Then... what is it, JC? Why? I’m not asking for much! What do you mean?" She stroked his back soothingly. She was beginning to panic and a slight wave of nausea coursed over her.  

"Well...it's just... I'm already singing at a party that night." He put his arm under his pillow and braced himself for her reaction.

"What? You're scheduled to appear at my holiday party, regardless!"

"And I'll be there. I promise.” His eyes avoided hers in the dim light “Just after... I sing at Lance’s."

"Excuse me? What?! No! How could you? You can't sing at Lance's party!" She threw a pillow at him. “No!”

He braced himself against her blows. "I'm already down and it's kind of a done deal."

"It is not! Tomorrow you're telling him you're not singing at his party." She violently pulled the covers over her head and switched off the other light.

He moved over to put his arms around her. "Baby. Don't be mad. Please. I simply can’t do that."

"You know how important this is, JC!" Her muffled voice came from under the covers.

“Yeah I do. And we’re going to do everything to outperform Lance’s charity run,” he said calmly. He pulled the covers from over her face.

She groaned. “I might as well concede now. Time to write a speech.”

“You’re being dramatic. You’ve got to have some kind of tricks up your sleeve, honey.”

“Yeah! YOU. You were the rabbit up my sleeve.”

He rubbed his face tiredly. “I will help you in any way you need it.”

She crossed her arms angrily."You're still coming to help me decorate at the hotel tomorrow. You’re not getting out of that!"

"Yep. After my recording session, I'll be there for you. I always am.”

“Yeah, you had better be now!”

He tightly wrapped his arms around her and as JC slept, Meredith pouted. Either this was going to get ugly, or she didn’t have a chance.
Chapter 3 by kasia87

JC loaded another box into the back of Meredith’s car, trying to play tetris with the arrangement.

“Joshua, there’s two more,” she called, as he made his way back up the steps.

He studied the current arrangement of boxes and sighed. “Honey, there is no more room in that Passat of yours.”

“Not my problem, Mr. ‘Sings at Everyone’s Events but Mine’.” She crossed her arms and loaded a bag of ribbons into the car.

“Can I make it up for you? I can get Mario Lopez to show up. Justin as consolation?”

“NO! You sing everywhere but where you’re needed. I’m not happy with you.”

“Meredith, don’t do that! Where are your keys?”

"Always with the keys, JC! 

She tossed them at him and hopped in the car. It was almost like payback to watch him struggle to place the last two boxes within the confines of the car and have the trunk not shut.

He got into the car and reached for her hand. “Can you be a little easier on me? Please?”

She leaned info a kiss as he started the car. “Okay, okay. Bringing down the stress level because I’m running on max.”

The radio was filled with Christmas music as they drove to the hotel.

“He’s making a list, checking it twice,” Meredith sang out. “Gonna see JC’s naughty, not nice.”

“Very funny,” he said rolling his eyes and switching the station.

“It’s true,” she said, as they pulled up. Logan had showed up and was already moving chairs to the appropriate ballroom.

“Trouble in paradise?” He gave her a look as JC moved boxes into the room.

“He’s.... testy today.. I’m.. testy today... Just go with it.”

Immediately she started in on delegating jobs for both her fiance and her assistant. She grabbed her own supplies and started to piece together how everything would look.

"Okay, one tree goes there, and another by that table. And the staircase entrance needs lights. I need you to rope them around the staircase."

JC fiddled with his phone and looked at the two trees Meredith wanted him to move. "Both trees and the lights?"

"Yes, JC. I'm going to get table centerpieces."

Fifteen minutes later as she set up another table and draped tablecloth over it, she watched as JC set down the Christmas tree and reached for his phone.

"So, about those staircase lights? Baby, I really need your help. I have so much to do."

"Mmhmm." JC murmured without looking up from his phone.

"Will you put them on the staircase? You know, like sometime this season?" She continued setting tables, watching him not move from the doorway.

"Okay, okay already. Where do you want these lights?" He roped the lights around his wrist and walked upstairs.

"The staircase, for the third time. What's your deal? Simple directions. Stop being Grinchy."

He frowned as he played with the string of lights on the staircase. "I am not Grinchy. You’re already upset over the gala.”

“I’m upset because you won’t clear plans with me. Simple plans.”

“This is not about Lance’s party! And this just seems like way too much work for one day."

"What's that suppose to mean? This is a big deal, Jace."

"For one night."

She placed a bow on the entryway and stopped. "Oh. Let’s see. Kind of like our wedding?" she asked quietly.

His face fell in shock. "What? No! That's not what I meant! Why'd you have to take it there?"

She put her hand up. "Just stop JC. I'm so stressed out over this, it's making me ill. If you don't want to help me, just go home!"

"Meredith!"

Meredith felt the tears sting her eyes as she walked out of the conference room and to her office.

She closed the door to her radio booth and sat there, trying to hold it in. A moment later, the dam broke and she lay her head in her hands. Did he really not care at all?

Her head was spinning. As she sobbed to herself, a tap on the glass of the studio made her jump. She looked up to see Lance open the door to the booth.

"Can I come in? Meredith, what's the matter? I thought you had that holiday party to plan for. You know, the one to rival my own?"

"Hi Lance," she said sheepishly wiping at her runny mascara. "I do. JC's in the conference room. Or at least he was helping me set up. He just doesn't care this year."

"Yeah, he does. Holidays are stressful enough when you don’t have a wedding coming up. Give him some space and he’ll do anything for you.”

“Anything? You really think so?”

“I’ve seen the way he looks at you. That is a man head over heels in love with you.”

She wiped her eyes. “Maybe he was right after all. Maybe this was way too much for me to take on.”

“You’re over halfway there. It would be silly to just give up. Come on. Give me a run for my money, Meredith. For charity.”

“Well since you’ve already booked my soon-to-be husband as entertainment.” She spun her chair around angrily.

“What?” Lance’s face fell as his voice rang out. “Oh my god! You didn’t know? Damn it JC!”

JC’s voice came from down the hallway before he surfaced in the doorway. “I’m going to kill you, Lance. This wasn’t suppose to happen. Damn it! You’re not suppose to put another man between his fiancee and friends!”

He took a look at Meredith’s saddened face and sat down next to her. “Honey, please don’t cry... I’ll sing at your gala! I... I’ll sing at both galas that night. Or neither.”

“NO!” Lance and Meredith yelled together.

Meredith laid her head on the soundboard in defeat. “Damn it! If that’s not an edge, then I don’t know what is!”

“Both then?” He shrugged and looked for answers in both of their faces. “Or I can get one of the artists I work with to sing at both galas.”

Lance put his hand up to interject. “In my defense, I didn’t really think this through. I just figured JC would sing, not factoring the fiance part into the plan. If I can take one of your artists, then make the call. Meredith he’s all yours.”

JC’s eyes met Lance’s rather nervously. “If Meredith says yes, I’ll sing at both.”  

She tapped her nails anxiously as she and Lance exchanged glances. “Fine. But you’ll emcee my gala during the live broadcast portion, JC.”

He sighed in defeat. “I can work with that. I’m not any better off either way.”

“Just e-mail me what you’re going to sing and we can work it out,” Lance said, walking out the door. “Easy.”

JC cocked an eyebrow at Lance  “You’re dreaming if you think I’m singing ‘Baby It’s Cold Outside’, with you!”

“Perfect! We rehearse tomorrow before the gala!"

He exchanged a glance with Meredith. “That’s just what I needed.”

“Welcome to holiday stress, Mr. Chasez,” she said, as she planted a kiss on his cheek. 

Chapter 4 by kasia87
"Meredith! Car's coming in fifteen!" JC yelled from the bottom of the steps for her.

The day had arrived. After all the work and preparation, the gala was upon them.

Upstairs, she carefully applied a coat of red lipstick and swept gold coloured powder across her eyes. Her dark brown hair was set in loose flowing curls that hit her bare shoulders. A cloud of hairspray put everything in it’s place.

With a final spritz of perfume on her wrist, she grabbed her gold heels and clutch to race down the steps.

JC caught a glimpse of her in the hall as he straightened his red jacket. He had two blazers for the night; red for Meredith’s party, white and black for Lance’s.  

The strapless red gown hugged every curve of her body and was accented with gold tulle at the neckline. He had to catch his breath for a moment.

“Wow. Ms Carson, you look stunning,” he replied, kissing her neck.

She took a moment to straighten the gold necklace around her neck and make sure her hair was right.

“Thank you, Mr. Chasez. You are equally handsome, this evening.” She casually straightened his tie and a moment later they walked out to meet the awaiting car.

“No matter what happens tonight, I’m so proud of you. For all the work you’ve put into this and how it’s come all together. Ready?”  He opened the door to the car.

After a huge exhale, she replied, “I sure, hope so.”

Both galas had sold out almost instantly, and at $425 a pop, there was a lot at stake for charity.

The entrance of the hotel, roped off with velvet velour roping, had two pathways. One for Lance’s party entrance, one for Meredith’s. Photographers and interviewers were already clamoring for a few words from both of them. The walkways met in the middle before splitting again into Meredith’s gold and red soiree and Lance’s black and white masquerade.

JC escorted Meredith to Lance’s side as flashbulbs went off in every direction.

“Meet you inside,” JC said, as Lance took her hand. They posed for a few pictures, and answered questions down the line before making their way inside.

“Wow. JC prepped me a little for that, but it’s a little intense,” she said, as they split into their hallways.

“Always part of the job,” Lance answered, giving her a kiss on the forehead. “Good luck! We’re both winners tonight.”

She smiled at him. A tiny part of her wanted to beat him, but either way would be great for both charities.

As she entered the left side ballroom, everything looked magnificent. Gold and red candles lit up the walkway with fresh balsam and holly wreaths on every table. The stage was set with gold ribbons and bright red ornaments suspended from ribbons.

The buffet table was lined with chefs and entrees ranging from prime rib, and garlic chicken to shrimp, sea bass and calamari. Fresh steamed broccoli rabe salad and bacon wrapped asparagus were neatly laid out next to simmering bowls of golden mushroom soup. The dessert table was equally impressive with chocolate champagne cake, red and gold macaroons and a vanilla pear tea cake.

“You got this Meredith,” Logan replied as he stuffed a crab cake into his mouth. “So good.”

“I sure hope so, Logan.”  

She snuck a peek into the hallway and saw Lance emerge for a moment. His masquerade black and white themed party was in full swing. JC had just gotten off stage with him after singing “Winter Wonderland.” He’d quickly changed his suit jacket back to red.

Damn it! A masquerade party, she thought, how smart is he to think of something like that?  

JC grabbed her shoulder and she jumped. “Spying, I see?”

“Not spying...I was watching you sing. That’s not spying”

He pulled him onto the dance floor and rested she her head on his shoulder. “I guess you’re right.”

They swayed through the slow song as Meredith took it all in. The gala was packed with people. Celebrities and beneficiaries for the charity. Everything was looking good.

Logan grabbed a champagne flute and a napkin and turned to his boss.

"So, why do your napkins say "JMC" on them?" He held one up to the light to admire the detail.

Meredith looked up in horror as she choked on her drink. "Oh my god," she whispered, ripping it out of his hands. "Those are the ones I ordered for the wedding! Joshua & Meredith Chasez."

JC stifled a laugh and picked one of them up. "So... what does that stand for now?"

Logan took a swig of champagne and thought for a moment. "Just Meredith Carson. If anyone asks tonight, when you win this thing, that's what you can name the show. Just put featuring Logan Grimm in tiny print at the bottom"

"Oh Logan, you're a genius," she exclaimed, giving him a hug.  "You may have just saved my ass!"

As the party wore on, Meredith had to avert a crisis with raw calamari on the buffet table right after she’d eaten it. Logan and JC whisked it out quickly, but she had a feeling between all the party commotion, pledges coming in, and anxiety, she was getting ill.

JC came over right before he had to sing. “You feeling alright?”

Reaching for a glass of water, she shook her head. “Leave it to me to eat the calamari.”

He checked his watch as Meredith studied the scene of people in the room, taking it all in. The ballroom was packed and a steady stream of people were trickling in and out. The red and gold tables were full, conversation was lively. The music from the band was playing softly as a few random couples made their way to the dance floor.

JC’s voice shook her from her thoughts

“Hey. Meredith... It’s stagetime. Let’s go. ”

He kissed her cheek and took her hand to escort her to the stage area. He took the stage and applause rang out all over the ballroom.

“Thank you everyone. We all know how important a night this is for our charity, for Sirius Radio and especially for Ms.Meredith Carson. I, in a matter of a few short weeks, get to make that  lovely woman sitting at table 2 my wife.”

Roaring applause came from every corner of the ballroom and Meredith could feel herself blush as the spotlight went from JC to her. It had suddenly gotten warm in the room. Logan sat next to her fanning her with his napkin.

JC continued. “We’re raising money for the ARTS Program. “A Reason To Survive” The arts were always a huge part of my life, Meredith’s life and we’ve come out in support tonight.  Now, I happen to know this is Meredith’s favorite song, so I couldn’t not sing it tonight.”

The opening notes of “Guess It’s Christmas Time,” rang though and she felt tears come to her eyes.

JC’s voice, as magnificent as ever, arranged the song into solo form perfectly. As the song ended, he blew a kiss in her direction. She walked up to grab the microphone from him on stage and pulled him into a tight hug.

“You’re the best,” she whispered in his ear. “I don’t even care anymore if I don’t get this.”

His eyes sparkled as he announced her as tonight’s gala host. “Meredith Carson everyone!”

He escorted her offstage and planted a firm kiss on her lips, away from prying eyes. She gladly reciprocated, not caring who was watching. She heard Logan give a “woot!” as they broke.

Lance and Meredith both broadcasted details about their charities and their galas respectively through their programs and the pledges came through quickly.  A special set of phone numbers directed sponsors and donations to the respective charities.

With JC emceeing the entire event, they both watched as monetary pledges came in.

Ending totals for the night were; Lance Bass $59, 124.34

   Meredith Carson $57, 016.46


She snapped her fingers, a bit disheartened as she met Lance’s sympathetic smile from across the room.  

“So close. That’s still a tremendous amount for charity. And you know what?  I’m okay with that,” Meredith smiled as JC soothingly rubbed her shoulders.

“I’m proud of you, baby. You have nothing to be ashamed of, Mere”

And she wasn’t. But the glittery room was beginning to take on an ugly hue. As they walked towards the car, the hallway seemed to spin.  

“Jace, will you walk me to the bathroom?” She weakly grabbed his hand.

“Yeah, of course. You okay?” His concerned face took on surprise as she bolted for the bathroom door. “Meredith?”

A moment later, he heard her retching and ran in after her. “Who decided calamari was a good idea on that damn buffet?”

“Logan! That was Logan’s idea!”

As she got sick once again, JC knelt down next to her. “Come on. I’m taking you to the ER.”

“No,” she protested, trying to get up. “Just home. Please. Too much excitement for one day.” She ran cool water over her hands and searched for gum in her purse.

“Meredith... really, I should take you to the hospital.” JC stood over her, his cool hands on her shoulders. “I’ll call for an ambulance.

“Jace, just take me home, please. I’m just sick. It’s finally all hit me at once.” She pulled her hair into a messy, curly bun, not caring about her appearance anymore.

Disapprovingly, he shook his hand as he took her in his arms. “Okay, come on, baby.”

Lance stood near the entrance and rushed up noticing Meredith’s sallow appearance. “Everything okay? Meredith, oh, no.”

“I’ll be fine, Lance. Never again with the calamari,” she replied, as JC steadied her. “I’ll talk to you tomorrow. It worked tonight. You definitely gave me a run for it. Those totals were impressive.”

His green eyes looked at her sympathetically. “Thanks. People get generous around the holidays.”

“I gotta take my poor girl home. It’s been a night. I’ll call you later, man,” JC said, holding on to her tightly.

“Take care of her, JC. You’ve got one hell of a gal on your hands.”

He took off his jacket and wrapped her shivering figure in it. When they finally got outside, he whisked her up and carried her to the car.

She collapsed onto his shoulder as they drove home. She barely made it upstairs before JC simply carried her to bed, made her change clothes, and tucked her in. A moment later, he came back with two aspirins and a glass of water.

“Take that. All of it, and just sleep,” he said, with a smile. “You’re amazing. I’m so proud of you tonight.”

As he turned, she reached for his arm. “ Thank you for everything tonight. Come to bed already ”

“In a few minutes. Promise,” he said, kissing her forehead.

As he turned out the lights in their bedroom, he pulled out his phone to dial Lance. “Hey. Yeah she’s fine. You both put on a great gala tonight. Congratulations from the both of us, man. But I need you to do one more thing for me. Put her on your show. As a favor to me. Temporarily, as a guest or something for a talking point. It’ll be good for the both of you.”

“Yeah, of course I can. I’m glad she’s okay. I sent her a text. We have a meeting with Sirius in the morning.”

“Thanks man. We’re both grateful.”
Chapter 5 by kasia87
Author's Notes:

She awoke in a groggy haze and rolled over to whisper good mornings in JC’s ear. His side of the bed was empty. The clock read 11:45. They’d both slept in late, but she couldn’t think of where he could be.

“JC?”

He emerged from the bathroom, looking barely alive. His dark hair was tousled in every direction. His eyes were red and swollen as he trudged back to bed.

“Oh no. Not you now.”   

He nodded, lying next to her. “How’re you feeling? ‘Cause I feel like a truck hit me.”

“Oh no...I feel a little better. Damn it. Logan and that calamari. “

“I don’t even fucking like calamari.” He paused for a brief moment. and reached for his phone. He looked up and pointed at her. “You. You got me sick.”

She pulled her own aching body out of bed to get dressed.

“I doubt that, Jace. Oh, well look at that.. Lance cancelled our post gala meeting," she said, scrolling through her own phone. "He just texted to tell me he's sick... Like really sick."

"That makes two of us," he groaned. "Did you make out with Lance at the Christmas party too or did he eat the calamari?"

She set her phone aside and sat down next to him. "Jace, for the last time, I did not get you sick. Lance probably did eat  the calamari! And there's got to be some flu bug floating around, Mr. Anti-flu shot."

"That's crap, and you know it. It's just the flu." he sniffled and reached for a tissue.” With or without the damn shot.”  A shudder went through his body.

Studying her watch, she was suddenly alarmed at how late it had gotten. "What did you need from the pharmacy? I have an eye doctor’s appointment here soon and could grab some things for you at CVS.”

“Eye doctor?” He looked up from the mess of tangled blankets he was wrapped in.

She looked around the room and reached for her purse. “Yeah, those glasses I have are giving me headaches. Won’t be long though. What do you need from the pharmacy?”

“Cough drops, sleep aids, decongestant,” he listed, slowly. “Oh and tissues. More tissues.”

He waved an empty tissue box at her and swept the pile of crumpled tissue into the trash bin below as she made notes on her phone.  

“Okay, got it.” She blew him a kiss. “Be back soon.”  

He laid back down and looked at the bedside table before hearing her open the door.
“MEREDITH! KEYS!”  

She raced back up the steps as he held out her keys. “I love you, Joshua. What would I do without you?”

“You’d be locked out of everywhere. Lucky girl.”

Two hours later, she came back to find JC peacefully sound asleep. His hands were tightly wrapped around his phone under the mess of sheets.

“I’m back,” she whispered, stroking his hair.

His tired eyes fluttered open to adjust to the dim light. “Mere? You’re back? Good. I’ve been waiting for you.”  

“You’ve been asleep, silly,” she said, running her fingers through his matted hair. She pulled up a plastic bag full of pharmacy items and watched as he rooted through for honey flavoured cough drops.

"Mhmm. It’s about time too. Come on. I've got something to show you." He opened the bottle of decongestant, took a huge swig and filled his pocket with cough drops.

She gently pushed him back into bed. "You're sick, JC."

"I know. And I'll be back in bed after I show you one thing. Help me up?"

"This had better be important." She grabbed his hand to help him out of bed.

He smiled and kissed her cheek. "It is. Your Christmas gift. A little early."

"What?"

As he studied her shocked face, he took her hand and led her down the stairs. "Just come with me."  

JC wrapped his arm around her and covered her eyes with his hand. “Ready?”

“Um...Yes?”

“You sure?”

“Jace... “ .

He placed a small gold key in her hands attached to a SiruisXM lanyard.  "Open your eyes. Here's the key to your new home studio, Ms. Carson."

"What? Oh my god! JC!" Her brown eyes filled with excitement as she held the key in front of her face. "Baby, you've gotta be kidding!"  

He hugged her tightly and planted a kiss on her forehead. "Luckily, you can't misplace the keys to my heart. But. For the love of everything good, don't misplace that key."

She wrapped the lanyard around her wrist tightly. "Oh my god.”

"But...if you do, I installed a device that will unlock your studio with your fingerprint." He took her finger and swiped it across the lock next to the door. The door clicked open and JC grinned.

"JC... Oh my goodness... All the boxes?"

“Mhmm,” he nodded. “I’ve been taking care of it since August. I had to sort out wedding stuff and studio stuff. Probably why the wedding napkins ended up at the gala. Luckily, you didn’t notice too much. Keeping it low key.”

She placed her hands on his cheek and kissed his forehead. “You sneaky devil.”

"You deserve it. Well, go look around." He held the door open as she walked over the threshold.

The entire studio was equipped to broadcast radio from the comfort of their home. A pair of silver headphones rested on the main microphone stand. The leather chair next to her workstation had the letters "MC" in script-like font on the front. She ran her hands over the lettering, her eyes lighting up at the detail.  

"You're lucky, your initials don't change when we get married." He sank onto the leather couch and coughing overcame him.  

She put her hands on her face, pensively taking it all in. "I can’t believe you. Jace, this is amazing. Thank you. All the hard work you put into this. You did all of this? It's more than I could've ever asked for.”

"Well, I had some help. A lot of help. From Lance. That favor for the gala?" He moved his hand to show her everything he's helped with.
 


She turned around quickly as her hands scanned the switchboard. "Really?"

"Yep. I mean, essentially, I know how to set up a studio, but he's the guy specifically for radio. Merry Christmas baby."

She studied every corner. He’d hung her radio accolades and photos from various events, the newest being the Sirius Gala.

“Well, if we’re going to give Christmas presents early... can I give you mine?”

He perked up for a moment. “Will it make me feel better?”

“It might. It’ll make me feel alot better. But first. You.” She pointed at him. “Upstairs, back to bed..”

He groaned and got up from the couch. “This gift had better exceed expectations.”

She bit her lip to keep from smiling as she walked behind him. “You could say that.”   

As they both entered the bedroom once again, JC crawled back under the covers. “Before you give me anything, will you turn off the flashing Christmas tree? It’s making me sick.”

She laughed and clicked it off before crawling into bed next to him. She handed him a small box wrapped in silver paper. “Merry Christmas, love.”

“Do I get a hint?” He sniffled and unwrapped a corner.

She shook her head. “I’m bad at hints. Open it... I’m nervous.”

His eyes went from her to the wrapping. He tore the paper off and uncovered a small box. Inside, ruffling the tissue paper, he pulled out a small pair of sneakers; one with blue laces, one with pink laces

“Oh my god...” he breathed, nervously.  

Meredith buried her face in the covers. “It wasn’t an optometry appointment.”

His face blanked for a moment. “It wasn’t an optometry appointment. Am I feverish or hallucinating? Both?”

She chuckled and placed her hands on his face. “Merry Christmas.... Daddy.”

“There’s my latest project,” he said, kissing her forehead. “Turning the guest bedroom into a nursery.”

She smiled ."This time at least, I get to help." 

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2494