Cold Reality by theusagirl
Summary: Justin is attending the 2013 Grammys, his performances went well, but soon realizes that he has something missing in his life..
Categories: Completed Het Stories, Group Characters: Group
Awards: None
Genres: Alternate Universe
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 3025 Read: 635 Published: Feb 15, 2013 Updated: Feb 15, 2013

1. Chapter 1 by theusagirl

Chapter 1 by theusagirl

Justin looked once more at himself in the mirror in his dressing room, he was at the Grammys and he was about to perform his hit single “Suit and Tie.” It has been years since he actually performed on stage, and he was bit nervous, in which he wasn’t supposed to be, cause he’s Justin Timberlake, a mega super star, he was supposed to be happy and excited that this opportunity that had occurred to him, it was always his dream to go back to the stage, he had it all, but then why was he feeling so down? He stepped away from the mirror he has been looking at, and he sighed when he heard his name being called.

 

“Well, here it goes, time to put the face that people know and love.” Justin said to himself and off to the stage he went, and was greeted by the sound of cheers from the audience.

 

 

Meanwhile, JC was not in the audience, he was giving an interview at the Clive Davis party and was watching the Grammy performance on the TV screens, after the interview was over, JC continued to watch Justin’s performance, he was proud of him, and was glad that he was able to get back on stage and do what he did best. He knew that even if he and JC were in the same place, they didn’t really try to have a light conversation together, because they were always pulled into different directions, it felt like they both grew apart, not that they didn’t want it to be that way, it was just how the media had them, it was a tough situation, but that is how it was. When Justin’s performance was over, the audience applauded, gave them a small smile and thanked them. He then headed backstage once again.

 

 

Lance was with his boyfriend Michael, preparing for the after-party Grammy interview, he caught of glimpse of Justin performing his new hit single and it was pretty remarkable to watch. Joey and his wife Kelly were on the other side of the room, trying out all of the new dishes that were currently on display for the party guests, Joey and Lance were actually the only two *NSYNC members that kept in touch, they do try to keep in touch with the rest of the members, but they are always so busy with their schedules.

 

“Say bye bye shrimp.” Joey munched on the shrimp and plopped it in his mouth.

 

“Joey, if you keep eating those shrimp, you’re not gonna leave anymore for the guests you know.” Lance joked.

 

“I only ate one.” Joey told him.

 

“Yeah right.”

 

Joey just made a face at him and took some more shrimp and went to go sit down the table with Kelly and to mingle with the rest of the crowd that were attending the party.

 

 

“This is never gonna work Karly, never!” Chris argued. He was just outside of the Staples Center in LA, and was dreading not to go inside.

 

“Chris, trust me, I rounded you guys up before, I can do it again.” Karly said in a sing-song voice.

 

“I know that Karly, but I can’t just barge in there, I don’t like being in places that’s all glitz and glamour.” Chris said, his face was glued on the window of the SUV they rented.

 

“First of all, you are not gonna barge in, I got you an all-access pass.”

 

Chris looked at her amazed, “And how did you get this? I’m not popular enough to receive this anymore you know.”

 

“Melinda.” Karly replied simply.

 

Chris just stared at her disbelief, “You have a pass too right?”

 

“Of course I do silly, now come on, let’s get inside.” Karly got out of the SUV and Chris took his sweet time trying to get out.

 

“Karly, I can’t go in there, I’m old.” Chris joked.

 

“Chris, stop you are just stalling, we are gonna enter backstage and enter Justin’s dressing room, not a lot of people go back there anyway, if they don’t have an all-access pass.” Karly grinned.

 

“Do the rest of the guys know?” Chris wondered.

 

“No, I’m gonna tell Melinda to text them and they are all gonna be there together, and they won’t have a clue.

 

Chris had no idea what Karly was doing, but he decided to go along with it.

 

 

JC let out a yawn; he was sitting down on the table with some friends, drinking some wine and people watching.

 

“Tired man?” His manager Eric said.

 

“Yeah, stayed up all night working on a song but it didn’t come out right.”

 

“Don’t worry, you’ll finish it.” Eric didn’t look from his Iphone and furiously texting and checking email messages then and again.

 

JC just looked at him and told Eric that he was gonna get a refill on his drink, he admit though, he was kinda bored, despite all of what was going on, nothing felt the same anymore, sure he helped produce a girl group recently, but that was it, he knew that singing was his passion, but all of the songs he wrote, they either were half-finished or didn’t make sense.

 

He caught a glimpse of Joey who was with Kelly and his face brightened, and walked over to their table.

 

“Hey man.” He told them.

 

“JC, its so good to see you!” Joey immediately got up from his seat and gave him a hug, JC then gave a hug to Kelly.

 

She gave him a sweet smile, “Nice to see you again JC.”

 

“Same.”

 

The three of them chatted and were talking about Justin’s performance and the rest of the Grammys that were going on, and JC quickly forgot about Eric who seemed to pay no attention to him anyway.

 

“So how are the kids?” JC asked Joey and Kelly.

 

“Oh Briahna is great, and Khloe, she’s growing up so fast.” Joey said, pretending to cry.

 

Kelly just looked at him and laughed but continued their conversations.

 

 

 

Lance fixed his tie once again, while Michael was putting on his shoes.

 

“We have an hour left until the Grammys are done right?” Michael told him.

 

“I think so.”

 

Just then Lance’s phone started to vibrate, picking it up; he saw that it was a text message from Melinda saying that she was right outside the Staples Center and told him to meet her backstage.

 

“Hey Michael?” Lance asked without looking up from his phone.

 

“Yeah?”

 

“You know Melinda is here at the Grammys?”

 

“She is? Why?

 

Lance sent her a quick text saying “Why was she at the Grammys?”

 

Her reply back to him was that she was sponsoring some artists and the security guard wasn’t letting her inside because she didn’t have an all access pass.

 

“Be there in a few.”

 

Lance put his phone back in his pocket, “I’ll be back Michael, let me go see what the problem is.”

 

Michael nodded and Lance exited the room and headed to the backstage area.

 

 

Justin was sitting on the sofa of his dressing room, a drink on one hand, and his phone on the other, he was startled when a beeping sound occurred, indicating that he had a text message. He had a confused look when it was Melinda, and it was the same message that she had sent Lance, only he didn’t know that. Justin shrugged and said that he was gonna have a little chat with security.

 

Joey and JC also received the same message, but since they were both together in the same room, they decided to go help Melinda out.

 

“I haven’t seen Melinda in a while you know that?” JC told Joey, pushing random doors and heading down narrow hallways.

 

“I saw her a few months ago, but that was it.” Joey said with a laugh.

 

“I wonder who the artists she’s sponsoring are.” JC wondered.

 

Joey just shrugged and continued walking towards the backstage area, with JC following close behind.

 

 

“Are they all coming?” Karly asked excitedly.

 

“Yeah, our plan is working perfectly.” Melinda told her.

 

Chris was leaning against the wall with his arms crossed and just shook his head.

 

“Justin is not coming; he’ll probably send a bodyguard to open the door for you Melinda.” He joked.

 

Both ladies jumped up when they heard doors opening and closing from a distance, “Shh, someone’s coming.”

 

“Yeah a ghost.” Chris chuckled.

 

Melinda, Karly and Chris headed to a storage room and waited for whoever was coming.

 

It was Lance and the confused look on his face was priceless when he saw that there was no security guard and nobody around, he then took his phone out but stopped when he heard other doors opening and closing, he saw Joey and JC coming up behind him.

 

Justin also came in using the double doors near his dressing room, and was dumbfounded by who he saw.

 

Melinda and Karly couldn’t hold down their laughter and got out of storage room along with Chris.

 

All five guys just looked at eachother in amazement while Melinda and Karly started giggling.

 

“Guys?” Justin asked astonished.

 

“What are you- how? JC wondered.

 

“Chris?” Lance said.

 

“It was their idea, not mine.” Chris said pointing at Karly and Melinda.

 

Joey didn’t have to say anything he was literally grinning at what he saw.

 

“I just wanna know how this was all planned.” JC said.

 

“Nobody knew anything, except for Chris who I dragged from Florida.” Karly laughed.

 

“Yeah I knew that Lance, Joey, JC and Justin were attending the Grammys tonight, even though you guys don’t necessarily hang out in the same room as you used too, so we decided to do something about it.”

 

“By taking me out of Florida and bringing me to LA.” Chris repeated.

 

“And also, since it’s the Grammys, we figured that you guys could, you know-

 

“What like a reunion?” Joey grinned.

 

“Not necessarily, I want you guys to show up on stage tonight, together and sing a song.”

 

“Great idea!” Lance and Joey replied in unison.

 

“Bad idea.” Justin said.

 

“Oh no Justin, we aren’t gonna take the spotlight away from you, if that is what you are thinking.” Melinda explained.

 

“It’s not that, it’s that, this is all coming so fast, I wasn’t expecting any of this, and now that you guys are here, it’s like a door that has been locked up for years, and I finally figured out how to open it, and I feel bad, cause I remember all of the wonderful times we had together, and shortly after, we all went our separate ways, I kinda felt like I ditched you guys, I mean, we got together for Chris’s birthday, but not here, at the Grammys, one of the biggest nights of year.”

 

“We used to be together at the Grammys those many years ago.” Chris told him quietly.

 

“Justin, what you are doing now is a great thing really, and no one is stopping you from singing your new songs and releasing that new album of yours, but admit it, the Grammys hasn’t been the same music-wise.” Melinda continued.

 

“You’re telling me.” Lance added.

 

“I have been realizing that, one of the reasons why I chose to release an album for myself now; I felt that it was time.” Justin said looking at his shoes, but continued speaking:

 

“I’m sorry that I didn’t tell you guys that I was releasing an album, I know that I have probably been a mean and inconsiderate jerk all of the years, and I think I finally found out why I was feeling so down earlier today before I did my performance, I realized that I was missing you guys all along, since I haven’t been on stage for a while, that is what I thought, and I know that I had an ego issue and-and-

 

Joey saw Justin’s eyes water, “I’m sorry guys.”

 

“Justin, you don’t have to be sorry, we are proud of what you have accomplished, so you don’t have to bring yourself down okay?” Joey told him and gave him a hug.

 

“This is all so surreal.” JC said.

 

“JC, you’ve done some pretty great stuff yourself you know.” Lance added.

 

“Yeah Jace, you helped produce some songs for that girl group and you sang at the college and stuff, great job by the way.” Chris told him.

 

“Thanks Chris.” JC told him with a smile.

 

There was an awkward silence for a moment until the silence was interrupted when Ryan came into the backstage area and was looking for Justin.

 

“Justin, I’ve been looking everywhere for you, where have you-He stopped when he saw the rest of the members of *NSYNC in the same room.

 

Ryan let out a gasp and just continued to stare at them, “Oh wow, Justin have you been planning this?” What an awesome idea! Tonight is the perfect night for you guys to go out there and do your thing, because believe me, these Grammys need some sort of spark or something, if it weren’t for your performance tonight, I’ll probably go home early.”

 

“No, you see, I didn’t plan this at all, this was all their idea.” Justin said pointing at Karly and Melinda.

 

“Melinda?”

 

“Hey Ryan.”

 

“It’s been years since I’ve seen you, oh my goodness how have you been?” Ryan went over to her and gave her a hug.

 

“Oh you know the usual.”

 

Ryan continued speaking to her and thanked her for this wonderful idea, but wanted to make sure if it was okay with Justin.

 

“Are you okay with this though?” He asked him.

 

“Oh yeah, I’m just still in shock that we are in here together, it’s pretty great actually.”

 

“Well, what are you gonna do?”

 

Justin just looked at the guys and then looked over at Ryan.

 

“We are gonna hit the stage, even if it is just for one night.”

 

 

At the stage

“Ladies and Gentleman, we have four special guests here tonight, that would like to join Justin Timberlake on stage, in which I’m still surprised myself at this, it’s been years since their hiatus, but these guys all came here to share the stage with him. Ryan explained.

 

“Justin himself wasn’t even expecting this, in fact, none of us were, ladies and gentleman, give it up for all five members of *NSYNC.”

 

The crowd let out gasps and cheers when all five members of *NSYNC entered the stage, and the twitter feed was incredible, fans started tweeting, some were crying, some were happy, some just couldn’t believe it.

 

“Hey guys.” Chris spoke to the mic, “long time huh?

 

“Whatever questions you may want to ask, Melinda Bell would answer them for you, she’s currently on Twitter right now explaining this situation.” Lance told the audience.

 

“Yeah, it’s a one night only sorta thing.” Joey said.

 

“So the song that we are gonna sing, is of course, This I Promise You, cause it’s a suitable Grammy song, in which you are probably all sick of it.” Chris told them.

 

JC just laughed, but continued to wait for Chris to finish.

 

“And without further delay, it’s the only song that we are gonna sing, at the moment, we are not gonna be dancing on stage, cause I don’t wanna have any broken bones.” Chris joked.

 

All five members of *NSYNC started to sing, it was the most beautiful sound that the audience has ever heard, even if they haven’t sung in years, the way their voices blended together was unbelievable.

 

When they finished the song, the audience was silent; they were even a few tears that were dropping, then they let out a round of applause, the whole audience was in awe of their performance, this has been the highlight of the night for sure.

 

Justin breathed out a happy sigh, “Wow.” He gasped, and he looked at his four best friends, and he knew that deep down, despite all of the success that he had, this is what he had been missing all along.

 

Justin’s dressing room

 

“Guys?” He told them, “Would you like to go on tour with me?”

 

“Seriously?” Chris added.

 

Justin nodded.

 

“You mean like hang out on a bus and all that?” Joey grinned.

 

“Yeah Joey, and that includes your smelly socks.” Justin joked.

 

“I don’t have anything to do in the next couple of months, so I’m in.” Lance said.

 

“I have to check my schedule, and then I’ll let you know.” JC replied with a wink.

 

Karly and Melinda were sitting on the sofa and watching them think things through, Ryan Seacrest was right, this has been a wonderful idea.

 

“So how are we gonna do this, you’re tour is not coming up soon right? Chris wondered.

 

“Not now though, but soon, I think it would be nice if you guys would like to come on tour with me, that way we can share some ideas, and catch up, we have a lot of catching up to do.” Justin smiled.

 

“Oh but of course.” Chris said, with a hint of sarcasm in his voice.

 

Even though this wasn’t a reunion per say, it sure felt like it to the millions of people that were watching the Grammys, even if it was just for one night.

 

End Notes:

Song credit-This I Promise You-*NSYNC

I was trying to figure how to actually write this story, but I think its okay, let me know what you all think..read and review..thankies. :)

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2505