Only Time Will Tell... Sequel to Falling by BrandyRae
Summary:

* Sequel to Falling 

Just when JC and Amanda get settled into their new relationship another suprise hits.  Follow these two, and their ups and downs, as they learn how to be in love with challenges around every corner.

Started in 2002. 


Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: Chris Kirkpatrick, Group, JC Chasez
Awards: None
Genres: Drama, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 21806 Read: 6042 Published: Sep 05, 2013 Updated: Sep 14, 2013

1. Prologue by BrandyRae

2. Chapter 1 by BrandyRae

3. Chapter 2 by BrandyRae

4. Chapter 3 by BrandyRae

5. Chapter 4 by BrandyRae

6. Chapter 5 by BrandyRae

Prologue by BrandyRae

Only Time Will Tell | by BrandyRae

Prologue 

Amanda gave her cell phone a curious glimpse as she recognized the West Coast area code on the LED display. There were only two people that would call her from Southern California. One being her father, the other being his attorney. Neither of which she wished to talk to, especially during dinner. So instead of answering, she silenced the ringer and slipped it back into her purse.

“Who was it?” JC asked curiously, sitting beside her at the round table.

“No one worthy of interrupting dinner,” Amanda answered quietly.

“Was it your dad?” he continued quietly, his voice nearly a whisper as he leaned in close to her ear.

Amanda failed to respond, substituting the look instead. JC new the look. That I-really-don’t-want-to-talk-about-this-right-now look.

With an uneasiness settling somewhere between her stomach and her throat, Amanda tried to finish her meal, but all the while, she knew that a call from whoever that had been, couldn’t be good. And she knew they’d be calling back. She could only put them off for so long.

Forty five minutes later, as their small group of friends headed out of the restaurant and towards their cars, it came again. Instantly her nerves kicked in as she heard her phone chirping inside her purse.

“Babe, just answer it. What if it’s important?” JC said softly.

Amanda glanced at JC, then at Chris – who’d been quietly giving Amanda’s cousin the eye for the past five minutes – and then finally at Terra, who was in a heated debated with Tyler, JC’s brother. It had been an interesting evening, it didn’t look like that was about to change.

With a deep sigh she reached into her brown leather handbag and grabbed her cell. “Hello?” she answered with a bit of irritation as she stepped away from the group.

“Amanda, it’s Henry Billows. I’m sorry to bother you at such a late hour, but I’ve got something that I need to discuss with you and it’s rather important.”

Henry Billows had been Jonathan Ballard’s attorney since Amanda was old enough to remember. Mr. Billows had to be in his sixties by now, but his voice was still the same as it had always been, low and husky, and very formal. There’d really been no need for him to introduce himself because Amanda had known right away it was him.

“It’s not really a good time Mr. Billows. You know, it’s like nine o‘clock here?” Amanda replied.

“Yes, and I apologize. I wouldn’t have bothered you if it wasn’t important.”

 

JC KEPT A CAREFUL eye on Amanda as she slowly stepped away from him in the parking lot. News from her father was never handled very well. Three months had passed since he’d been sent to federal prison, but Amanda still had a hard time dealing with anything or anyone that had to do with him.

JC didn’t blame her one bit. How was she supposed to feel? She was the daughter of a white-collar criminal whose case had been highly publicized and Amanda had been caught right in the middle of it.

Half-following the conversation that Tyler and Terra were carrying on, JC finally gave his brother a soft shove in the shoulder when he realized his younger sibling had carried on about college football for long enough. Besides, Chris looked like he was ready to explode any second and tackle him to the pavement, which wouldn’t have been too surprising, but with the obvious crush Chris had on Terra, it wouldn’t have looked very good if he was actually trying to be serious about the whole thing.

“What was that for?” Tyler asked with an annoyed smirk.

“Ty, that’s enough.” JC remarked, barely catching Amanda’s expression from the corner of his eye, he turned to look quickly, just in time to see her collapse onto the ground, her head smacking down on the hard asphalt.

Immediately he raced to her side, the other’s following quickly behind him. Lifting her head off the ground, he instantly realized she’d suffered a pretty good-sized gash and was bleeding all over the place. It wasn’t gushing, but it wasn’t trickling either.

“Here use this,” Terra said, handing JC her sweater. Folding it underneath Amanda’s head, he pulled her into his arms, speaking her name repeatedly and brushing a hand down her cheek.

Instinctively, Terra had picked up the phone and was now shouting at whoever was on the other line while Chris had instinctively dialed 911.

Slowly Amanda’s eyes opened. “Baby, are you okay?” JC asked softly, “You passed out.”

Sirens poured from down the street as Amanda peered up at JC with hazy eyes. "I – I – "

“It’s okay, don’t speak. Just lie still,” he told her.

“You’re fuckin’ kidding me!” Terra gasped loudly and all eyes suddenly turned to her. She slapped a hand to her face, realizing her language had been inappropriate. “Excuse my french Mr. Billows, but that was the last thing I expected to hear.”

JC’s ears perked up as he listened. What the hell had been so shocking it would cause Amanda to faint?

Terra turned off the phone and kneeled down beside her cousin. “Don’t worry Manda, it’s gonna be okay,” she spoke softly, reaching for one of her hands.

“Uh,” Amanda groaned, trying to reach towards the back of her head. “I think I hit my head.”

“The ambulance is pulling up now. They’ll look at it,” JC assured her as he held her arm gently and returned it to her side. “Just lie still.”

Amanda had hit her head alright, but he wasn’t about to tell her that she had cracked it open. He looked across at Terra with worry in his eyes and discreetly she nodded her head in agreement. It was obvious she wasn’t happy about whatever news Amanda had just received, but he knew he couldn’t ask.

As the paramedics hoisted her onto the gurney, a small crowd began to hover around. It wasn’t exactly the ideal circumstances. JC handed Tyler the keys to his car and asked quietly if he’d follow them to the hospital. “I’ll ride with her,” he told his brother.

“Yeah, I’ll meet you there,” Tyler agreed.

JC climbed into the back of the ambulance with Amanda and immediately they began asking him questions. Questions he could hardly think to answer, but he tried his best.

“Can you sit up for me Amanda?” one of the men asked her.

“Yeah, I think so.” She groaned, slowly rising from her lying down position as the man applied some sort of gauze to the back of her head.

“It looks like you’re going to need stitches, but you should be fine,” he told her.

Stitches? JC thought. That means needle. You can handle this Chasez, it’s for Amanda. You have to.

“Have you ever fainted before?” the paramedic asked.

“No, not that I remember,” Amanda answered, her eyes suddenly dropping to her lap as if she had just remembered what it was that had caused her to faint in the first place. There was a hurt in her eyes that JC could spot a mile away, and that hurt made him want to reach for her and scoop her into his arms, to tell her he’d make it all go away, but he couldn’t do that right now. The men were still fussing with her head and he’d rather not know exactly what it was they were doing. He’d never been good with that sort of thing.

 

 

“TERRA..." CHRIS SPOKE AS he sped to the hospital in his PT Cruiser, following behind Tyler in JC’s SUV, “I know it’s none of my business, but what the heck did that guy tell her to make her just collapse like that?”

Amanda’s cousin knew it wasn’t her place to say. Terra was still in quite a bit of shock herself, she could only imagine what Amanda was feeling. If it would’ve been her, she’d have fainted, too.

“It’s not really my place to say. I mean, it’s kind of personal – well, sort of – and it just wouldn’t be right. I mean, I’m sure you’ll find out soon enough. It’s not really something she’ll be able to hide.” Terra glanced over at Chris and realized that she had only confused the hell out of him.

“Yeah, I don’t mean to pry, but I just can’t imagine what would be so bad.”

“Yeah, well when you do find out you’ll understand,” Terra remarked.

The two made it to the hospital and met up with Tyler in the parking lot. “They’re already inside,” he told them.

“Should we go in?” she asked, and then second guessed her question, looking at Chris beside her. “Wait? Should you go in there? I mean, is it safe?”

“Last time I checked hospitals were considered safe,” he answered with his normal sarcasm.

“Right. But, you know… are you going to get attacked or something? I mean, you don’t have to stay. I’ll catch a ride with JC and Amanda. Actually, you guys could both go. There’s no need for you to wait here. I’m sure she’s fine.”

“My brother might need moral support. He’s not good with needles and blood and things,” Tyler explained.

“I don’t really have anything better to do,” Chris added.

“Okay, well let’s get inside then.” Terra led the way towards the emergency room doors with Chris and Tyler following closely on her heels. With no sight of either Amanda or JC, Terra immediately made way to the front desk. “Amanda Ballard? She just came through with the paramedics.”

“Yes,” the middle-aged woman answered, “she’s being seen now. You can wait for her in the waiting room.”

“Is there any way I can go back there with her?” Terra asked, “I’m her cousin.”

“She already has someone with her,” the nurse answered, and then hesitated in thought. “Okay, go ahead, I’ll buzz you back.”

“Thanks,” Terra smiled.

Terra stood in front of the large double doors as a loud buzz informed her that it was safe to walk through. “She’s in the second room on the right,” the nurse called to her.

“Okay.”

The second door on the right was open, so Terra stepped through knocking lightly against the frame to alert the couple she was there. She found Amanda sitting on the edge of the cot with JC hugging her tenderly. Not a lot had changed with them since Terra had first seen them together nearly four months earlier. It was obvious they were crazy about each other, but normally they weren’t overly gushy in front of other people, just flirtatious and cute. Terra didn’t mind that at all, but every once in a while she’d catch one of those private moments that was meant for just the two of them and she realized how incredibly lucky they both were to have found each other.

She also realized it made her just a tad bit envious.

JC stepped away as he realized Terra’s entrance, instead resting a comforting hand on Amanda’s shoulder.

“The doctor will be here in a minute to stitch up my head,” Amanda informed.

“Oh, so you need stitches then?”

“Guess so,” Amanda answered, “JC’s more worried about it than I am because he hates needles.”

“I am not worried about it,” JC argued. Terra noticed the look he gave her. It was obvious that was something he hadn’t wanted her to share. Although, Terra was already aware of that fact thanks to Tyler.

“If you want I’ll stay with her and you can go out in the waiting room,” Terra volunteered.

“Babe, why don’t you?” Amanda added. “I don’t want YOU to faint this time.”

“I’ll be fine,” he defended.

“But really, I’d like to talk to Terra for a minute anyway,” Amanda explained.

“Oh.” JC’s eyes swirled with disappointment, but Terra could understand completely why Amanda wouldn’t be ready to let JC in on the little bit of information she’d just received. It was something that was going to change Amanda’s whole life, and that meant JC’s life, too.

 

 

Chapter 1 by BrandyRae
Only Time Will Tell | by BrandyRae

Chapter 1

Amanda glanced at Terra sitting beside her and was thankful for more reasons than she could count. She hadn’t spoken one word to her father since he’d been arrested, having to look him in the face was going to be rather difficult, even if it was through a glass window. Her resentment was on the verge of boiling over and Amanda was afraid that she’d have a hard time containing herself once she was actually in his presence.

Of course, she was still having a hard time getting over the initial shock. How could he have done that to her mother? Even if it was sixteen years ago. How could he have done THAT?

Amanda was furious with him. If it weren’t for the thick glass that would be between them, she’d have every inclination to punch him right in the face, and Amanda had never hit one soul in her entire life.

“Thanks again for coming with me,” Amanda sighed softly to Terra.

“No problem. I know you would have been miserable by yourself. Well, I’m sure you still are miserable, but at least you’re not by yourself.”

Terra was a lifesaver. There was no doubt about that. She and Amanda had grown as close as sisters over the last two months and it felt great.Sisters… what an ironic thought. To actually think, Amanda really did have a sister. She’d had one all this time and never even had a clue.

Bastard.

There were so many names she could think to call her father, some she hadn’t even known existed until now, but suddenly she was throwing every name in the book at him.

“I just can’t believe he did that to her,” Amanda huffed, gritting her teeth and fighting back the anger that welled up every time the thought of her father’s affair crept into her mind.

“Maybe he had his reasons, Manda. I mean, maybe things weren’t as great between them as you thought. You were only like ten at the time.”

“I think he’s just an asshole,” Amanda growled, shifting uncomfortably in her first class seat.

“Well, yeah…” Terra agreed, “but there’s no use getting all worked up about it now.”

“Terra, I can’t take care of some fifteen year old. I have no clue how to raise a teenager. Shoot, sometimes I think I’m still one myself.”

“You’re almost twenty-seven, Amanda. You’re definitely not a teenager.”

“How am I going to be able to concentrate on school when I’ve got some troubled fifteen year old living with me?”

“It’s either you or foster care. She is your sister, regardless of how she came about, she’s your sister.” Terra was always good at reminding Amanda the things she would rather forget. She understood that the girl had no where else to go, but that didn’t mean she was happy about it.

“Don’t you think it’s funny how the women in my father’s life didn’t seem to live as long as they should?” Amanda remarked, “I know that this woman was killed in some accident and not a disease like my mom, but don’t you think it’s weird? Maybe he’s killing them all off.”

“Your father did not give your mom cancer, Amanda.”

“I know, but it’s just weird.”

“It’s just one of those freak acts of nature. Maybe you and Samantha are just meant to have a relationship.”

Scowling, Amanda turned to her cousin with disgust. “I don’t think that’s it,” she said, “I think I’m just meant to be tortured.”

 


It was nearly an hour later when the airplane touched down and Terra and Amanda were on their way to the federal prison that held Jonathan Ballard. Luckily it would be a short visit. The two young women would be leaving again later that afternoon.

Amanda’s nerves had kicked in overtime as Terra chauffeured her in their rented car. Amanda didn’t want to see his face. She was angry with him and she wanted to stay that way. Deep down she was afraid that seeing him locked up might actually allow some sort of pity to form and that was the last thing she wanted to feel. Pity for the man who had put her through hell.

It was a short time later she found herself sitting in a booth waiting for his arrival on the other side. Amanda was scared to death and, now, she was alone. Terra waited patiently in the visitors lobby. This was something Amanda had to do by herself, regardless if she wanted to or not.

Finally, he sat down.

His hair was streaked with gray and cut shorter than she’d been used to. Instead of the bright orange jumpsuit she’d envisioned, he wore a blue button down shirt and a pair of blue denim jeans. A sight she’d never seen. Her father in a pair of blue jeans.

His face looked as if he’d aged ten years, even though he’d only been in there for four months. Inside Amanda did feel a bit of sadness for him, but she pushed it away assertively, sitting up straight, ready to face him and the reason she’d come.

Jonathan Ballard picked up the phone on his side of the booth and pointed to the one on the wall beside Amanda. Slowly she reached for it, nervous to hear the sound his voice.

“I’m sorry you had to come here,” he told her.

Amanda stared at the table, her eyes fixating on the edge where the gray countertop ended and the thick glass began. She couldn’t look him the eye. She just couldn’t. She also didn’t have one word to say. What could she say? So instead she bit her bottom lip and took in a deep breath.

“I know you’re upset with me for many things right now Amanda and you have every right to be, but if you don’t take care of Sam she’ll go to a foster home. I understand if you say no. I really do, but please, just this one more favor and I will never ask anything of you again.”

“Why?” Amanda asked, “why did you cheat on my mother?” The words had been difficult to push from her throat, but somehow she managed to shakily let them out.

He sighed deeply into the receiver and Amanda realized it was difficult for him to discuss, but she didn’t care. She wanted to know.

“Amanda, your mom and I were separated for a over a year. It was a choice we had made together. Your mom knew about Sam.”

“Why did you come back then? Why didn’t you stay with that other woman?” Amanda’s voice grew loud as her anger seeped out.

“Shhh,” her father told her, “you have to keep it down. Okay?”

Glancing behind her, Amanda realized there were security men all over the place and keeping their watch on her. Taking in another breath for confidence, she apologized for her loud tone of voice.

“It’s okay. I understand your feelings. You have every right to be angry.”

“So, why? Why did you come back?”

“Your mom and I loved each other very much. We were able to work out our differences and decided that our marriage was too important to let fall apart.”

“So if mom knew, how come I didn’t?”

“You were young Amanda. Do you think you would’ve understood that daddy had another daughter with somebody else?”

Amanda could feel the sting of tears taunting her eyes. She’d known this was going to be difficult, but she’d had no idea his words would hurt so badly. Pausing for a second, she held her palm out in front of her and bowed her head, trying her best to compose herself and push away the threat of tears.

“So why not later then? When I was old enough to understand?” she finally managed to ask.

She listened as her father took in another deep breath. “Because I was too afraid, I guess. I thought of telling you several times but never followed through.”

Never had Amanda’s father admitted to being afraid of anything. He had always been strong and confident. Never afraid. Fear was the last thing she saw when she looked at her father… before, but now, now she saw a man who didn’t look so sure.

 


The third time her cousin’s cell phone rang in the seat beside Terra, she decided to go ahead and answer it. Normally she wouldn’t do that, but she was pretty positive it was JC and glancing at the digital display, she realized that her intuition served her right. He was worried, which was perfectly understandable. He had wanted to be there, but every so often he had this little thing to do called work.

“Hello JC,” Terra answered indubitably.

“Is she out yet?” he asked.

“No, I’m sure she’ll call as soon as she finished,” Terra assured him.

“I’m just a little worried. You know? She’s not very good at confronting him.”

“I think she’ll be fine. Don’t worry. I know it’s tough being on the opposite end of the country, but she’ll be back tonight.”

“You’re not coming back?” he asked curiously.

“No, I’m coming back too. Not that it matters much to you.”

JC smirked. “It does matter. Amanda would be lost if it weren’t for you moving to Orlando.”

“Yeah, I know,” Terra smiled, she couldn’t argue that fact.

“Okay, well… I’m sorry to bother you. I won’t call again.”

“If you do I won’t answer,” Terra replied, her voice on the verge of a tease.

“Yeah, sorry,” he added.

“Bye JC,” Terra said with a smirk.

“Bye.”

Another ten minutes passed before Amanda finally did appear, looking frazzled and worn-out. Funny how thirty minutes with her father could do that. But as she stepped closer, Terra could see the pain in her cousin’s pale green eyes. Amanda was hurt and her feelings were completely justifiable.

Terra stood and greeted her cousin in the middle of the aisle of orange plastic chairs. “Come on Manda, let’s get out of here. This place is starting to give me creeps,” she whispered.

Amanda didn’t need to answer with words. She looked over at her cousin with weary eyes and silently agreed.

“JC called like three times,” Terra announced as they strode across the parking lot in search of their rental car.

“Oh, I better call him back.”

”Yes, you better. He’s going nuts.”

Amanda smiled giddily and pulled out her cell phone.

With near-disgust Terra rolled her eyes, she couldn’t even imagine being so gaga over someone, but it was obvious her cousin was head over heels. Terra doubted she’d ever feel so in love. It just seemed like it wasn’t in the cards.

She’d had her share of lovers. That was no big secret. But no one had ever stolen her heart or knocked her socks off. Terra had deemed herself romantically challenged. Whenever things seemed to get too cozy, she’d always back out. Why she had a fear of commitment? She had no clue, but it was a definite fear alright. There was no denial there.

It must have had something to do with control. She was a control freak and liked everything to go just how she planned it. With relationships, things didn’t always work out that way and it scared the crap out of her. She’d rather be single.

With a romp or two here and there. Just because she didn’t want to commit didn’t mean she didn’t want intimacy.

Amanda slapped her phone shut and tossed it back in her purse as Terra cautiously drove out of the parking lot. “All of these guards make me nervous,” Terra remarked.

“Me too. You should have seen what it was like on the inside.” Amanda replied.

Terra had to chuckle because, technically, Amanda was not even close to being on “the inside”. She’d only been visiting, but the way the words fell from her lips, she seemed so incredibly serious about it.

“How’d your dad look anyway?” Terra asked after a minute.

“Horrible. I think he’s aged like fifteen years.”

”Really? That much?”

“Okay, maybe only ten,” Amanda corrected.

“So when’s she coming?” Terra asked curiously.

Immediately Amanda’s grin faded. “Next week sometime.”

”Should I start looking for an apartment? I don’t want your house to be too crowded. I know it’s big and all, but three woman sharing one place could get ugly.”

“Terra, no! I can’t do this by myself. You can’t move out yet!” Amanda couldn’t have possibly sounded anymore desperate than she did at that very moment. The next few weeks were going to be stressful to say the least. Terra could see that already.

 


Crawling into bed beside JC, Amanda knew that it would be her last night of normalcy. Tomorrow things would be different. Tomorrow she would meet her sister.

“Tomorrow my whole life’s going to change,” she sighed, scooting as close to him as physically possible without laying on top of him.

“Sweetheart, I think it already has,” JC remarked as she comfortably settled against him, his arm folding over her back accordingly.

“Why can’t things ever be easy for us?”

Looking into her eyes, he rested one hand against her cheek. “As far as easy goes, I think we have it pretty good. Well, except for my grueling work schedule and lack of privacy, but other than that, I don’t think we have too much to complain about.”

His smile was enough to make her melt. In five months, that hadn’t changed one bit. It was also very contagious, as she suddenly found herself grinning as well. “Okay, let me rephrase. Why can’t things ever be easy for me?” Amanda took in a breath and smirked, “I know that sounds really selfish, but sometimes I feel like I just get all this bad luck all the time.”

“I’m sorry you’re going through all this, but who knows, maybe it will turn out for the better.”

“Maybe,” she sighed, resting her head against his chest.

Tenderly JC ran a hand through her hair. “Maybe you two will become really close and you’ll be thankful that she’s a part of your life.”

“Maybe.”

“Just try looking at the bright side. Remember, everything happens for a reason. I’m sure there’s a good one behind all this.”

“I guess.”

“I love you, if that helps any?” Amanda didn’t have to look at him to see the smile across his lips, she could hear it in his voice. Actually, it helped a lot. She didn’t know what she’d do without him.

“You know what really bothers me?” Amanda asked, sitting up and crossing her legs Indian style beside him.

“What?” he asked, resting comfortably against the headboard with the blankets pulled just to his lap and his bare chest staring her straight in the face. Even now, it was an image that made her weak all over, but at that moment she was too concerned with letting off the steam that so desperately needed to be released.

“He didn’t even ask how I was doing. He didn’t ask about the move. He didn’t ask about me leaving the hotel. He didn’t ask about you. Nothing.”

“I’m sorry, sweetheart.”

“Obviously he’s more concerned about Samantha than he is me.” So much resentment had been released in her tone, Amanda realized instantly why she’d been so upset. The feelings had been there, but she hadn’t been sure why until that very moment.

“Baby, that’s not true. I’m sure your father cares about you very much.” Gently JC reached for her hand and held on to it supportively.

“I know that was a stupid thing to say. It just makes me wonder. You know? And it’s not like I want him to care anyway. He’s a horrible, horrible man. Just look at all he did. It’s not like I want him to be a part of my life.”

“Yes, you do.”

Maybe he was right, but it wasn’t something she was ready to admit. Maybe it wasn’t that she wanted him to be there, she just wanted to know that he’d actually cared all of those years because right now she was beginning to wonder.

“No, I don’t,” she answered sternly. “Not after everything he’s done and all the crap he’s put me through.”

“He’s still your father.”

“Yes, but that doesn’t mean I have to like him.”

“But you still have feelings, Amanda. Those don’t go away.”

“Maybe I just want to know that he cares about me. Maybe I just want him to feel bad for everything he’s put me through. And honestly JC, I don’t think he cares one bit. You know what he said to me? He said, do this one last favor and then I’ll never ask you for anything again. What kind of dad says that to their daughter? He talks to me more like a business associate than a daughter.”

“Maybe he’s just not good at expressing himself,” JC reasoned.

She hated it when he was right.

“Well, yeah, of course,” Amanda agreed as she climbed off the bed, aimlessly pacing across the hardwood floor, “when it comes to me, anyway. He’s great expressing himself with his business partners or whoever. But me – his only daughter, well, I thought I was his only daughter – no. He’s terrible.”

Amanda stopped, her arms crossed over her chest and her foot tapping with aggravation as JC crawled off the bed and stepped towards her. “Relax,” he said softly, placing a hand on each of her arms.

But she was too agitated to relax. Tomorrow was D-day and she was nervous as hell.

“It’s gonna be alright,” he assured her quietly.

“I’m just not sure if I can do this. I don’t know how to take care of a fifteen year old girl. Huh, a fifteen year old girl that’s troubled and upset because she just lost her mother and who has been living with her sixty-five year old grandma for the past two weeks. JC, I can’t do this.”

“Sweetheart, yes you can.” Supportively JC wrapped his arms around her, embracing her tightly.

“I’ve never taken care of anything. Not even a dog,” Amanda sighed, taking in the warmth of his body against her own and trying her best to calm down.

She felt his smirk and realize that she must’ve sounded pretty pathetic. “Should I hire you a nanny?” he asked.

Amanda pulled back enough to catch the quirky grin across his face. “She’s fifteen, I don’t think she needs a nanny.”

“Then quit worrying about it. Everything will be fine. Trust me, it will.”

Amanda could only hope he was right. Unfortunately she didn’t have the same faith as JC. She knew things were bound to get worse before they’d get better. They always did.

 


When the doorbell rang at eleven thirty the next morning, Amanda’s heart immediately leapt into her throat. Was Samantha early? She and Terra weren’t due until noon, but it could have been possible they were early. Although, Terra wouldn’t have been ringing the doorbell…

Still, Amanda’s nerves kicked into overdrive.

Speeding to the front door in a hurry, she nearly fell as she slid across the front entry way in her white socks. She hadn’t managed to put on her shoes yet. She’d already changed her outfit three times trying to fit in with whatever would look normal to a teenage girl. Finally she’d decided on just a pair of jeans and a t-shirt.

Grabbing on to the door handle and regaining her footing after her near accident, Amanda stretched to get a glimpse out of the peep hole and realized that her guest was only Lance. There was no need for any excitement.

“Lance,” Amanda huffed as she threw open the door, “what a surprise.”

“You okay, Manda? It sounded like you fell.”

Standing aside to let him in, Amanda grinned bashfully. “I’m fine. The floor was just cleaned and it’s a little slippery.”

It was obvious that Lance was trying to conceal his amusement. He held out a copy of his movie on DVD and said, “I just stopped by to give you this. It’s an advance copy.”

“Thanks,” Amanda smiled.

“You said you wanted it. Plus, I – well, I just wanted to tell you good luck.”

“I guess you heard about everything that’s going on, huh?” she asked.

“Yeah, JC told us. Just let me know if you need anything. You know my house is just around the corner.”

“I know, thanks Lance.”

“No problem. Well, I’ve gotta get going. I’ll talk to you later.”

“Okay, thanks again.”

With Lance gone, Amanda was free to continue with her stress. She was practically biting fingernails waiting for her sister’s arrival. She knew she should have just picked her up herself, but Terra had insisted. As frantic as Amanda had been over the past few days, and especially that morning, she might have caused an accident if she were to actually get behind a steering wheel. It was a good thing Terra had went instead of her. Besides, this way there would be a mediator between them because Amanda had a good feeling that their meeting could get a little ugly. If Samantha was feeling anything at all that Amanda was, she wouldn’t exactly be excited about her new home. Amanda could only imagine.

Honestly, she did feel some sympathy for the girl. If anything, they were both going through some very similar times. Both had lost their mothers, although Amanda was well recovered and Samantha had just barely begun the healing process, and both had a jerk for a father who’d be spending the next seven years in prison.

The man just disgusted her. Amanda hated to even think of that fact.

But, Amanda decided, she was going to try her best to be nice to Samantha. She had to. If she didn’t, things were going to get pretty messy. Amanda had made up her mind to accept her sister and do her best to welcome her into her home.

 

© BrandyRae 2002

 

Chapter 2 by BrandyRae

Chapter 2

Amanda was stunned. How could THAT be her sister? How could someone so completely different be her half sibling? She was completely in shock. This was not what she’d expected at all.

Tensely gripping on the telephone receiver, stuck on hold and waiting to order take-out for lunch, Samantha’s image continuously ran through her mind. Her dyed jet-black hair, her all-black clothing, her black fingernails, her black lipstick, her bold, black eye make-up, her strange black and white striped stockings and her big black boots that laced all the way up to her shins, and, as if it could get any better, her pierced lip and eyebrow.

This could not have been Samantha! What kind of mother would let her daughter look that way!

Amanda was expecting someone very similar to herself. Someone dainty and girly and sweet. Not this! How would she ever be able to

relate? She’d never understand her sister now. The girl was completely different in every way possible.

Amanda was doomed. This whole idea was doomed. They’d never make it. Never!

Taking in a deep sigh she searched her cousin’s face for reassurance as the thick-Chinese-accented man finally came on the line to take her order. Softly Terra smirked as Amanda read to him her list. After a minute she hung up the phone and frustratingly let her head fall to the granite countertop.

“Manda, don’t hurt yourself,” Terra remarked.

“I can’t do this,” Amanda groaned quietly, her voice muffled by her arms, which had automatically wrapped around her head. If it were at all possible to turn into an Ostrich and stick her head into the sand, she would.

“Yes, you can,” Terra rebutted, pulling Amanda’s arms from the counter and forcing her cousin to stand up straight.

“You sound just like JC.”

“Well, he’s a smart guy. He knows the truth just like I do. You CAN do this.”

“I don’t want to,” Amanda clarified, “I want to live my life for me.” Her voice turned down to a whisper as she continued, “not some troubled fifteen year old who can’t even dress herself properly.”

“Amanda Marie Ballard, do you realize how superficial and shallow you sound right now?” Terra huffed, quietly. “Now I know this is not something you asked for, but this girl has been through a lot. She has no where else to go and just because she dresses a little differently than you does not mean she’s a bad person. Believe it or not she needs you right now.”

Amanda leaned one hip against the counter, shooting Terra an icy glare. She hated it when her cousin was right. “Okay, so maybe that wasn’t a very nice thing to say,” she whispered in response.

“No, it wasn’t nice at all. She really is a nice girl once you get to know her.”

“Because you know her so well after that thirty minute car trip?” Amanda asked incredulously.

“I’ve talked to her for more than two minutes before sending her off to her bedroom!” Terra countered in a low voice.

“I did not send her to her bedroom! I just showed her where it was so she could put her stuff away!”

Both women froze as the doorbell interrupted their argument.

“Who is that?” Amanda asked.

“It’s Chris. He’s meeting me for lunch,” Terra announced, turning her back and strutting out of the kitchen.

“Wait!” Amanda shouted desperately, scurrying after her cousin and meeting her in the entry way before Terra had a chance to open the front door. “You can’t leave me,” she pleaded quietly, “I’m not ready yet.”

“Amanda, you’re going to have to be alone with her sometime. I can’t stay with you every second.”

“I know. But please, not yet. You guys can eat lunch here. I mean, it’s not like it’s a date, you’re just friends.”

Rolling her eyes, Terra nudged Amanda out of the way of the front door and finally opened it for Chris.

“You two alright?” he asked, stepping inside.

“We’re fine,” Amanda answered almost convincingly. “You’re right in time, I just ordered take-out.”

“Oh.” He directed a look of question at Terra before saying another word.

“Hope you don’t mind, my cousin’s in the middle of a crisis and I told her we’d eat here.”

“No problem,” Chris agreed.

With that, Amanda took in a deep sigh. JC would be over later and then it would be okay for Terra to leave. She just wasn’t ready to be alone with this complete stranger, even if it was her sister. Things were just too awkward and uncomfortable.

She had no clue what she was going to do when she actually had to carry on a conversation with the girl.

“Samantha?” Wearily Amanda knocked on her new sister’s bedroom door. The food had arrived and it was time to eat.

“Just a minute!” Samantha called from the other side.

Uneasily Amanda swayed in the hallway, waiting for her strange looking sibling to appear. Finally after a minute the door opened. “Lunch is here,” Amanda announced.

“Okay.”

Discreetly peering around Samantha’s shoulder, Amanda tried her best to get a glimpse of what the child had done with her bedroom. So far, nothing too out of the ordinary for a fifteen year old.

As the two walked towards the kitchen, the tension between them was undeniably thick. Honestly, Amanda didn’t know what the heck she was supposed to say to the girl. “Did you want to wait a couple of days until you get settled before we register you at the high school?” Amanda finally asked. It was the only thing she could think of to make conversation.

“It doesn’t matter,” Samantha answered.

For such an intimidating look, she didn’t sound intimidating at all. In fact, her voice was very quiet and meek. But Amanda had to wonder if her father had any idea of the image his youngest daughter portrayed. Surely he wouldn’t approve. He had been so hard on Amanda growing up, he couldn’t possibly condone this sort of behavior.

“Well, you don’t have to decide right now. We can talk about it later,” Amanda decided, having an awfully difficult time keeping that confident tone to her voice. It took every ounce of concentration to push back that shaky, unsureness that lurked just beneath the surface.

The two finally made way into the kitchen, where Chris and Terra sat patiently waiting, chit chatting about something to do with Chris’ clothing line. It was a strange relationship those two had developed. Terra had sworn it was strictly platonic, but they sure did spend an awful lot of time together. Of course, Amanda understood that Terra needed to have friends beside herself, and Chris was definitely a fun guy to be around. That much Amanda could understand.

“Chris, this is my, uh – “ she paused, thinking of the right words, “this is Samantha,” Amanda introduced, “Samantha this is a good friend of ours, Chris.”

Immediately he stood and outstretched a hand to greet her properly. “Nice to meet you, Sam. Welcome to Orlando.”

“Thanks,” she remarked shyly.

“Samantha, did you want something to drink? We’ve got soda, water, milk, juice –“ Amanda asked, stepping towards the dual door, stainless steel refrigerator.

“Pretty much ever beverage possible, “ Terra interjected.

“A soda is fine, thanks.”

Lunch turned out to be the most awkward, tension-filled meal Amanda had ever sat through. Neither sister said a word the entire time. If it weren’t for the conversation Terra and Chris had been carrying on, the table would have been absolutely silent. Of course, Chris tried his best to stir up some emotion from Amanda’s little sister, cracking a stupid joke every now and then. Unfortunately, nothing seemed to be working. And will all the stress in the house, Amanda didn’t find any of it too amusing herself.

As soon as Samantha finished she rose from the table. “Amanda, is it okay if I use the phone?” she asked.

“Yeah, sure. I think the cordless is on the kitchen counter.”

“Thanks,” she replied, sweeping up the phone and scurrying back to her bedroom.

As soon as her sister was gone, Amanda sighed deeply, trying her best to not let her head fall into her plate of Chinese food.

“I would be a little shy too if I suddenly had to move in with some stranger and had just lost my mother,” Chris commented after a minute.

“Yeah. Me too,” Terra agreed.

Amanda glanced at them both from the top of her lids and smiled wryly. No matter what the reasoning, it was definitely not the ideal situation. That fact was never going to change.

But nevertheless, Amanda did feel somewhat guilty for not making Samantha feel more comfortable. Standing from the table, she grabbed her paper plate and tossed it in the garbage can. Maybe it was time to actually talk to her new sister.

As she strode down the hall towards the bedroom that had been designated to Samantha, the one farthest away from Amanda’s in the spacious five-bedroom home, she stopped just before arriving in front of the partly open door. She could hear every word of Samantha’s conversation and her curiosity was too strong to ignore. She stopped just outside to listen.

“…She’s such a square. You should’ve seen the look on her face when she saw me Trish! She still looks at me funny. I’m not a monster, I swear!”

Immediately Amanda’s stomach turned, had she made her sister feel that unwelcome?

“I know it’s weird for her, but she didn’t just lose her mom. I did!”

Quietly Amanda switcher her stance, continuing to eavesdrop discreetly.

“You know she doesn’t even work? She just lives off my dad’s money.”

Now that comment made Amanda’s blood boil. That was not true! She lived off her own money!

“Oh, and guess who was here for lunch,” Samantha continued, “one of the guys from NSYNC. What kind of shit is that? I hope I don’t have to suffer through more encounters with members of sucky boy bands. I don’t think I can stay here Trish. I’m gonna go insane.”

With that Amanda had to step away before she barged in and tackled the girl. Those were horrible things to say. Just horrible! Why would she say those things? And god, if she was fussing over Chris, what was she going to do when she found out about JC?

Amanda had known this was going to be a bad idea. Now her hunch was confirmed. There was no way they’d ever get along. No way.

Slowly Amanda walked back down stairs to the kitchen. The look of hurt must have been written all over her face because both of her friends immediately noticed. “Something wrong?” Terra asked.

“You look like you just lost your dog or something,” Chris commented.

“I’ve never had a dog, Chris.” Amanda replied solemnly.

“Did you talk to Sam?”

“No, I just overheard her phone call and she had some not very nice things to say about me.” Amanda explained, deciding it would be best not to mention what Samantha had said about Chris or his “sucky” boy band. No need for him to get involved.

“It’s gonna take her a little while to adjust, Manda. I know it’s hard for you, and this may sound a little harsh, but of course she not gonna like you.” Terra reasoned.

Amanda only shrugged, noticing both had thrown their plates away and Terra was now sitting with her purse in front of her. “You guys are leaving, aren’t you?” Amanda asked with a sour tone.

“I told Chris I’d look over some documents for him.”

“Don’t you have your own attorney for that?” Amanda asked. She knew she was sounding incredibly selfish, but being alone with Samantha was the last thing in the world she wanted at the moment.

“Yes, but I wanted a second opinion.” Chris answered.

“Whatever,” Amanda shrugged.

“Isn’t JC coming over soon?” Terra asked.

“Soon, hopefully.”

“See. You’ll be fine. Don’t worry.”

Both Chris and Terra stood from the table and headed towards Amanda on their way out. “If she tries anything funny, don’t hesitate to call,” Chris told her in a quiet voice.

Amanda wasn’t quite sure if he met it as a joke or if he was serious, but either way she told him “thanks.”

Barely a minute later, they were out the door and Amanda was left alone in her big house with her new sister. Now she didn’t know what to do.

Letting her back fall against the wall in the entry way, she smoothed her palms over her face. Nothing she seemed to say came out right these days and apparently it was starting to catch up with her.

Taking in a deep breath, she paused, realizing that her cell phone was chirping from her purse in the closet only a few steps away. Quickly she pulled open the door and grabbed her leather hand bag, searching frantically so she could make it shut up.

Finally she answered, “hello?”

“How come you’re not answering the home phone?” JC asked.

“Oh, Samantha must be on the phone still. She probably didn’t want to answer the other line.”

“I called twice,” he informed.

“Sorry.”

“How are things going?” he asked curiously.

Amanda had a hard time hiding the anguish in her voice, things weren’t going good at all. “Terrible,” she sighed.

“Come on, it can’t be that bad.”

“It is THAT bad. We have absolutely nothing in common. Plus, she already hates my guts,” Amanda grumbled.

“I’m sure she doesn’t hate you. Just give it some time.”

“I don’t know,” Amanda disagreed, “I think we’d both need about five or ten years and then maybe we might get along.”

“Why? Did you get into a fight already?” he asked with surprise.

“No, it’s just – well, we can talk about it later. I don’t really want to get into it right now.”

“Okay, sweetheart. Well, I’m meeting Justin at the studio in forty-five minutes so I better get going. I just wanted to see how you were doing,” he told her.

“Wait, I thought you were coming over?” Amanda asked desperately.

“Yeah, I’ll be over tonight.”

“Tonight?” she asked with worry. Suddenly the day seemed to be looking even worse. What was she going to do all day alone with Samantha.

“Babe, you’ll be fine.”

“But,”

“No buts, this is kind of important so I can’t cancel. I’m sorry, but I promise I’ll see you tonight,” he explained.

“Alright,” Amanda sighed hopelessly.

“Don’t sound so upset. I can’t help it. You know that.”

“I know,” Amanda whined.

“Maybe you can cook that chicken you do with that cream sauce that I like? You know, for me and your sister. Well, and Terra, too.”

“She’s out running around with Chris. I don’t know when she’s coming back,” Amanda said, her voice still sounding pathetic.

“Oh, no wonder why. You’re all by yourself with her.”

“Yes.”

“Don’t worry, you’ll be fine. I’ve gotta go, though. I’ll talk to you later.”

”Okay.”

”Love you.”

”Love you, too,” Amanda replied and switched off her phone.

Well, at least planning dinner would give Amanda something to do. Besides, then she’d have to go to the grocery store. Maybe Samantha would want to go with her. Maybe that would give them a chance to get used to each other a little bit better.

Trying to look at the bright side of things, or at least find the bright side, Amanda trotted up to her bedroom to freshen up just a little before her trip to the supermarket. It wasn’t long after, she was standing in front of Samantha’s bedroom door again, just dreading the moment her sister would open it.

Slowly it creaked open, Samantha looked just a tad bit more normal since the black eye make-up she’d been wearing earlier had been removed from her face. But the site gave Amanda a chill, because her younger sister had eyes just like her father and that was one stare Amanda could definitely do without.

Maybe she liked her better with the make-up on after all.

“I have to go to the store for dinner. Did you want to go? That way we can pick up any foods you might like that I don’t already have,” Amanda said.

“Um, okay,” she answered, “let me just turn off the TV.”

“I’ll be downstairs when you’re ready.”

“Okay, I’ll be there in a sec.”

Amanda had tried her best to give Samantha everything a fifteen year old might want. Her bedroom was equipped with a television, a VCR, a CD player, a desk and a computer. She only hoped she hadn’t overdone it. Time would tell whether or not Samantha actually appreciated the trouble Amanda had went through to make her sister’s living arrangements more comfortable.

Of course, it would also take time to make the two sisters more comfortable with each other. No material item could do that.

Several minutes later both girls were seated in Amanda’s sporty new BMW and on their way to the grocery store a few minutes away. Samantha sat still in the passenger seat, almost as if she was afraid she might break something.

Using the controls on her steering wheel Amanda switched on the stereo. The radio was, naturally, tuned into the local pop music station. Amanda could immediately see the grimace on Samantha’s face from the corner of her eye.  Apparently BBMak wasn’t her favorite.

“I guess you don’t like this kind of music,” Amanda remarked.

“Not really.”

“You can turn it on something else if you want,” Amanda offered.

Instantly Samantha reached for the knob on the dashboard, scanning through the stations until she found something obnoxiously loud and fast. Amanda nearly jumped out of her seat as the thumping base guitar pounded from her speakers.

“Okay, just not that,” Amanda decided.

Samantha smirked predictably and flipped it back to the station it had been set on originally. “It’s your car, you can listen to whatever you want,” she shot back, her voice laced with typical teenage cynicism.

“Listen Samantha, I know this is really hard for you. It’s really hard for me, too. But somehow we’re going to have to figure out how to live together.”

“As soon as my dad gets out I’m gonna go live with him,” Samantha replied defensively.

“That’s not going to be anytime soon,” Amanda informed.

“You don’t know that for sure.”

“Samantha. Yes, I do.”

Amanda glanced over at her sister, noticing her arms folded over her chest and her eyebrows furrowed into the center of her forehead. It was obvious that it was neither the time nor the place for that particular discussion.

“I just don’t want you getting your hopes up, that’s all,” Amanda added, hoping to prevent the downhill spiral their conversation seemed to be headed.

“Why do you care? Up until today you never even met me before.”

“That’s true, but that doesn’t change the facts. The fact that you’re here now, living with me and regardless of whether either of us likes it or not, we’re both going to have to learn how to live together.”

Samantha exhaled loudly and slumped into her seat, but didn’t add another word to their discussion.

Amanda hoped that her words hadn’t been too harsh, but she only spoke of the truth. There was nothing either one of them could do to change it.

 

IT WAS ALMOST seven by the time JC pulled into Amanda’s driveway. He was almost afraid to knock, knowing that she’d been a stress case for the majority of the day. Hopefully things had calmed down somewhat by now. He knew it had been best for him to stay away, regardless of whether she liked it or not.

Taking in a deep breath of encouragement, he lifted his fist and knocked loudly on her front door. As he stood their patiently waiting, he noticed that the gardeners hadn’t done a very good job at pruning her front flower beds as there were various weeds popping up just underneath the shrubbery.

A second or two later she opened the door, looking to be at her wits end. She didn’t even say a word, only sighed and motioned for him to come inside.

“Your gardener’s not doing a very good job. You want me to talk to him for you?” he asked, stepping into the tiled entryway.

“No, I’ll do it tomorrow,” Amanda huffed, “I’ve been meaning to say something.”

Grabbing her hand, JC leaned in and placed a soft kiss on her cheek. “You hangin’ in there?” he asked quietly.

“Just barely,” Amanda answered, “you hungry? Dinner’s almost ready.”

“I’m starving. You want some help?” he asked, following as she headed off towards the kitchen.

“Thanks, but we want to be able to eat it,” she smirked and looked back to give him a teasing smile.

“Whatever,” he remarked, playfully rolling his eyes.

Leaning against the center island in the kitchen, he watched as she lifted the lid of something on the stove and stirred whatever it was gently.

“So, where is she?” He finally asked.

“Same place she’s been all day,” Amanda answered, still fussing with the pots on the stove, “in her bedroom.”

“Oh, well should you go get her so we could meet?” he asked with enthusiasm.

Instantly Amanda turned, stepping towards the counter and leaning down on her elbows across from him. “I wouldn’t expect a very warm welcome,” she sighed.

“Not a fan?” he asked.

“Uh, no. Extremely opposite.”

Spotting a stray piece of hair across her cheek, he reached across the counter and tenderly brushed it from her face. “Don’t worry, okay?” he said softly, “I can see how stressed out you are. Just give it some time. You’ll see.”

He watched as her eyes fluttered closed and immediately jumped on the opportunity to plant a soft kiss on her lips, standing on the tips of his toes and reaching across the counter top.

A quiet moan released from her voice as his touch met hers. “I feel better already,” she said softly, a grin sliding across her lips as he backed away.

“And I haven’t even done anything yet,” he grinned devilishly.

“Yet?” she asked, obviously intrigued by his comment.

“That’s what I said.”

JC wasn’t expecting for her to stretch across the top of the counter and grab him by the back of his neck, kissing him passionately, but that’s what she did. He couldn’t say that he minded much, because he most certainly did not.

“You’re staying here tonight? Right?” she asked after a minute, still gripping on to him like he would vanish if she let go. “You’re not going home, are you?”

“If I did would you be upset?”

“No.” Her words said one thing, but her tone said another. He knew she’d be upset if he went home.

“Don’t worry, I’ll stay. You know, since you twisted my arm and everything,” he grinned playfully.

Instantly she sighed with relief. “Good.” Her grip on him fell and in turn she returned her feet to the floor, still smiling at him girlishly before returning her attention to the food on the stove.

Casually JC crept around the center island until he was standing directly behind her. Softly he laid one hand against the side of her waist and leaned into the back of her shoulder. “Smells wonderful,” he said, taking in a big whiff.

Gracefully Amanda turned in his arms until her chest was pressed perfectly against his. Her arms slid around the small of his back and she pushed up on the tips of her toes to kiss him one more time.

“Did you miss me today?” he asked softly.

“You don’t even know,” she answered, settling her head against his chest and squeezing her arms around him so tight he could hardly move.

“You know, it really turns me on when you’re wearing your cooking apron.” He reached for the tie at her neck and yanked on the string that held it together.

Amanda recognized that teasing tone in his voice right away. It was a side of him she had grown to cherish and he literally made her feel as giddy as school girl when he teased her that way. “It does?” she asked, playing along.

“Yes, so much I could just throw you on the counter right now,” he continued, caressing his fingertips down her neck.

Her heart raced at the thought. Maybe if they’d have been at his house that would have been okay. But Terra and Chris were bound to walk in the door any minute and Samantha could have easily walked into the kitchen at anytime. Unfortunately, that idea was not a possibility.

“I so wish you could,” she sighed, reaching for his lips again, losing herself for just a moment in the sensual feeling of his touch.

“Why couldn’t I?” he asked, barely breaking away to speak.

Amanda groaned, “I don’t want to think about that. Just give me two more seconds,” she pleaded.

He didn’t answer, instead he complied by scooping her up in his arms and lifting her feet from the ground, kissing her passionately, just the way she had wanted.

She didn’t want it to end.

But then his phone started buzzing in his pocket, and not only could she hear it, she could feel it too.

Immediately he set her down. “Sorry,” he grinned, reaching into the front pockets of his dark blue jeans.

“I’ve got to get back to my sauce anyway,” Amanda remarked just before he answered his cell.

She listened to his conversation as she stirred her sauce and turned it down to simmer. She was guessing it was Justin. For some reason she could always tell when it was him on the phone. Mainly by the way JC spoke to him. Plus the conversation had something to do with the studio and she knew he had been at the studio with Justin earlier in the day so there was a good chance it was him.

A few minutes later he hung up the phone and made the announcement that Justin would be stopping by in a few minutes because he had to drop something off that JC had forgot.

“You should have asked if he wanted to stay for dinner. I’ve got plenty.” Amanda told him.

“Oh, I’ll call him back. Is it almost ready?”

“Pretty much,” Amanda informed, “I guess I should go get my sister,” she added with a sigh. It still felt so weird for her to say, but sooner or later she figured she’d have to get used to it. Anyway, with three out of five members of NSYNC possibly coming over for dinner, Amanda thought maybe she should warn the girl before it was too late.

She could only imagine what Samantha would think now. She’d probably want to run to her bedroom and hide. Oh well, she’d just have to get used to it. Amanda hadn’t asked for the situation, she definitely wasn’t going to change her life because of it. Regardless if Samantha liked “boy bands” or not.

(c) 2002 BrandyRae

 

Chapter 3 by BrandyRae

 

Chapter 3

As Amanda ventured up to Samantha’s room once again, she found her sister’s bedroom door open half-way.  Softly she called her name, “Samantha?” but in turn received no response.

Cautiously she pushed open the door, finding Samantha sound asleep, sprawled out on her full-sized bed. For a moment, Amanda stood still. She was beginning to realize that Samantha probably hated the way her bedroom was decorated. It was girly and Samantha didn’t seem to be girly at all. The walls were an ivory color and her bed spread and pillows were a lavender and pale yellow. Samantha didn’t seem to fit in to her atmosphere in any way. Tomorrow they’d redecorate if she wanted. Maybe that would give the two some peace with each other. It was only fair after all that Samantha have her bedroom the way she wanted it.

Funny though, watching her sleep so peacefully, Amanda realized that under all that outer clothing and make-up, her sister was nothing more than a scared, little girl. Amanda knew just how she felt loosing the only person who truly loves you unconditionally--your mother.

Amanda took in a deep breath and decided to let Samantha sleep. It had been a long day and she needed her rest.

When Amanda returned downstairs she searched for JC where she’d left him, in the kitchen. It didn’t take but a second for her to realize he wasn’t there anymore. “Jace?” she called to him, “where are you?”

Two seconds later she knew, as she heard the music quietly pouring from the next room. She headed in that direction to find him, but he met her at the doorway instead. “A little dinner music?” he said softly, reaching for her hand and pulling her into his arms.

“Samantha’s asleep,” Amanda informed him.

“You should let her sleep then,” he replied, swaying softly to the sounds of Al Green’s “Let’s Stay Together” as it called to them from the stereo in the other room. He curled one arm around her waist, letting his other grasp on to her hand. “Dance with me,” he said.

“Right now?” Amanda asked, partly giving in and letting her body move together with his. “Yes, maybe it will help you relax,” he told her, and then dipped her out of the blue.

Returning upright, Amanda let out a flirty giggle. His sudden movement had made her just a little dizzy. But his next move made her head spin even more as he pulled her in closer and circled both of his arms around her back. Instinctively Amanda rested her head against his shoulder. “This is nice,” she breathed softly.

“See, I told you.”

“Can we just stay like this?”

“For as long as you want,” he told her.

Quietly, she moaned, “good.”

“Before I go back on the road, I’m taking you away for a few days. Somewhere where no one will find us. Just me and you.”

“That sounds really nice,” Amanda sighed breathily, pressing her body into his even more. “How ‘bout tomorrow?”

“I wish,” he answered. “It will be soon though, I promise.”

They swayed contently without a care in the world, Amanda finally letting go of some of that built up stress she’d carried on her shoulders for the majority of the day.

“I think someone’s home,” Amanda announced softly after hearing what sounded like the front door, but not wanting to give up their position whatsoever.

“Just ignore them and maybe they won’t notice us,” JC advised.

That plan sounded just find by her. Of course, the sound of Terra and Chris’ footsteps followed only seconds later.

“Now, if it weren’t for the fact you two are obviously not in the house alone, I would’ve been worried. I mean, you’ve got the fuck-me music on and everything. The last thing I want to walk into is you two getting busy on the kitchen counter.”

JC and Amanda stopped still and both glared at Chris, catching the scene just in time to see Terra throw an elbow into his ribs. Amanda’s strong-willed cousin looked at him playfully and said, “you’re kinda squishy Kirkpatrick, you better get back on the road soon so you can work off that extra layer,” then teasingly poked him in his side with her finger.

“Hey now, hands off the goods,” he remarked, taking one step away from Terra.

JC and Amanda both laughed, tearing themselves apart from each other. “Touring doesn’t help, he’ll still be squishy,” JC clarified.

“At least I CAN gain weight,skinny,” Chris shot back.

“I can gain weight, I just don’t want to,” JC defended.

“Boys, boys. Calm down now,” Terra intervened. “I’m starving. Is it ready?” she asked, turning her attention to Amanda.

“Yes, it’s ready.”

“Was that the doorbell?” Chris asked.

Amanda noticed as JC stopped and listened, then trotted out of the kitchen. “It’s Justin,” she informed them, “he’s eating, too.”

“Oh, what about Sam?” Terra asked.

“She’s asleep.”

“She’s probably hungry. You want me to wake her up?” Chris asked with a devilish gleam in his eyes. Huh, that was about the last thing Amanda wanted. The girl would probably run off and hide if Chris were to wake her up, especially since it probably wouldn’t be the nicest way to wake a person up if he did.

“No, I’ll do it,” Terra offered, “since Amanda’s busy.”

As Terra left the room, JC and Justin entered. “Damn girl, something smells good,” Justin commented.

“Thanks, hopefully it tastes as good as it smells,” Amanda replied.

“I’m sure it will,” JC remarked, planting a quick peck on Amanda’s cheek as he stepped to her from behind.

“Would you two knock off that lovey dovey crap?” Chris asked with irritation. “You’re almost as bad as the kids.”

Amanda smirked, watching as Justin gave Chris the evil eye, knowing exactly who he’d been referring to when he’d said “the kids.”

“You’re just jealous because you haven’t gotten any in like four months,” Justin remarked, taking a seat at the table.

“That’s not true,” Chris defended, sitting across from him.

“Guys, knock it off. Amanda’s sister’s gonna be down any second and I don’t think she wants to hear about all that.” JC warned.

“He started it,” Chris whined, pointing at Justin.

Amanda just rolled her eyes as she set the food on the table. Things never changed much when the boys were over.

She was still dreading the look she was going to get from Samantha when her little sister realized who was having dinner with them. Amanda had a good feeling it wasn’t going to be pretty.

With the food all set, Amanda took her seat at the head of the table, with JC at her left and an empty seat to her right. It was only a few seconds later that Terra and Samantha appeared.

Politely Terra began with the introductions, “Sam, this is JC and Justin.”

“Nice to meet you, Sam.” JC smiled.

Samantha only stood there looking completely perturbed.

“Hey Sam, how’s it goin’?” Justin added.

Her look of confusion continued as she glanced at the two men sitting beside each other and then looked at sister. “Am I sitting here?” she asked, pointing to the empty chair on Amanda’s right side.

“Sure.”

As everyone dished up their food, Amanda kept a watchful eye on her new found sibling. She could only imagine the thoughts that were running through her sister’s head. Maybe it was wrong to put Samantha in such an awkward position on her first night there, but Amanda was being stubborn and she wasn’t about to change her life because of Samantha’s arrival. She wasn’t going to let her father control her life again.

There was no way she was letting that happen.

Dinner carried on as it normally did. The guys settled into a discussion about whatever it was JC and Justin had been working on in the studio that day and the girls pretty much just listened. Samantha mostly stared at her food. It was obvious that she felt very out of place.

“Do you like it?” Amanda asked her quietly, trying to maybe ease the tension between them.

Samantha nodded her head yes, “yeah, it’s pretty good. I haven’t really had a home cooked meal in awhile. I’ve been living off fast food for the past two weeks.”

Amanda almost didn’t know how to respond. For the first time Samantha had opened up and actually revealed something about herself. She hoped the others would continue with their own conversation because if they cut in, there was a good chance Samantha would close herself off again.

“We should talk after dinner,” Amanda told her, “I was thinking maybe tomorrow we could redecorate your room the way you want it.”

A look of surprise clouded Samantha’s dark eyes and once again Amanda was reminded of her father. If only Samantha hadn’t been cursed with that stare, life would have been so much easier.

“I told Amanda that most girls aren’t as girly as she is,” JC interjected, tearing himself away from his own conversation. Obviously he had been half listening to Sam and Amanda’s.

“This is an A and B conversation,” Amanda told him playfully, shooing him away with her hand, “so you just C you’re way out of it.”

JC rolled his eyes and shook his head with bewilderment, “you’ve been hanging around Chris too long,” he told her and turned back to his previous discussion. “Chris, you need to stay away from my girlfriend because you’re starting to rub off on her and I don’t like it.”

Amanda knew he was teasing, but she subtlety smacked his leg under the table anyway. He only looked at her from the corner of his eye, flashing that boyish grin he was so good at giving. The same grin that made her stomach flip flop, but now was not the time for those kinds of feelings.

“But really,” Amanda continued, turning back towards Samantha, “if you want to change your room I totally understand."

“It’s not that bad,” Samantha answered, “I don’t want you to have to go through all that trouble.”

“Well, it’s up to you. We can talk about it more later,” Amanda decided.

Once everyone’s bellies were full, the guys – not surprisingly – wound up in the sitting room, settled in front of the big screen television playing video games. How Amanda even had a PlayStation 2 she wasn’t sure. Someone had snuck it over and it had been there ever since.

Meanwhile, Amanda cleaned up the kitchen, Terra and Samantha helping voluntarily. Her hands soaked with sudsy water, Amanda stared at the phone as it rang, not exactly able to answer it at the moment.

“I’ll get it,” Terra said.

“So, I know this is none of my business,” Samantha remarked, arranging plates in the dishwasher as Amanda handed them to her, “but JC is your boyfriend, right?”

Amanda knew she had a silly grin across her face as she answered, “Yep.”

“How did that happen?” Samantha asked curiously.

“Um, guys,” Terra interrupted, “it’s, um, your dad.”

Instantly Amanda froze. Looking over at her sister, she said, “you go ahead. I’m sure he wants to talk to you anyway.”

“Okay,” Samantha replied, trotting towards Terra who was holding the telephone. Amanda listened as her little sister chipperly spoke into the receiver, “daddy!” she called him.

Terra, taking Samantha’s place at the dishwasher, immediately turned to her cousin. “Did she just call him daddy?” she whispered.

“I think I’m gonna be sick,” Amanda sighed quietly in response.

Once the kitchen was clean, Amanda planted herself on the couch in the room where the guys had sprawled out on the floor, playing some racing game. JC looked back quickly as she sat down, giving her a wink and a grin before returning his sight to the TV.

Amanda’s whole mood had been shot since the call had come in from her father. Samantha had retreated up to her bedroom once she’d finished talking with him and left Amanda to speak with him briefly. Of course, he only wanted to make sure Samantha was adjusting okay. Amanda didn’t know how to tell him his daughter was a little, well… different. So she opted not to mention that fact and instead told him that things were a little awkward, but that they seemed to have made a little progress over dinner.

Overall, Amanda couldn’t help but feel a little hurt over how much more he seemed to care about Samantha than her. He didn’t ask if she was doing okay. He only wanted to know how his youngest daughter was doing. Amanda was beginning to realize that they’d never been close for a reason. He didn’t like his oldest daughter, that’s why. She was beginning to realize it more and more.

“Wanna play?” JC turned back to ask after a little while.

“No, you guys go ahead,” Amanda answered.

“Actually, I’ve gotta get going,” Justin decided and stood from the floor, stretching his arms towards the ceiling.

“Yeah, it is getting kind of late and I’ve gotta early morning meeting,” Chris added.

“Me too,” Terra replied.

Amanda gave a curious glimpse to her cousin and the older man standing beside her. She was beginning to wonder if there relationship was as casual as Terra had said.

“Yeah, me too,” JC remarked with a grin.

“You do?” Amanda asked curiously.

“No, I just thought since everyone else did,” he remarked playfully.

Amanda only shook her head at his silliness as he stood and stretched as well. She also rose to her feet, patting him on the stomach before his arms fell back down to his sides.

“I’ll see you guys in a week or so,” Justin announced, “I’m flying out to meet Brit tomorrow.”

“Tell her we all said hi,” Amanda grinned.

“I will do that,” Justin remarked. “Good luck with – you know.”

“Thanks,” Amanda replied, knowing exactly what he was talking about.

Justin saw himself out. A second or two later, Terra and Chris followed.

JC didn’t hesitate to wrap his arms around Amanda and lift her off the ground in a huge bear hug. “Good,” he said, “now I have you all to myself.”

“Yes, thank god,” Amanda agreed.

“That didn’t go too bad, did it?” he asked her, returning her feet to the floor but keeping her locked in his embrace.

“It was okay, I guess. Hey, is something going on between my cousin and Chris that I don’t know about?” she asked, eyeballing the door to make sure Terra wasn’t coming back inside.

“Not that I know of. They sure have been hanging out a lot, though.”

“I know. I’m starting to wonder,” Amanda told him.

“Don’t you think she’d tell you if something was going on between them?” he asked.

“Maybe. Maybe not.”

“Well, I wouldn’t worry about it too much.”

“Yeah, I was just curious. It’s not a big deal or anything,” Amanda replied. She knew her cousin had relationship issues and wasn’t about to explain all of that to JC. Really it wasn’t her place to say. So what if Terra had never dated the same guy for more than two months?

“So, are you ready for bed, Ms. Ballard?” he asked, whispering seductively in her ear.

The touch of his breath on her skin made her tingle from head to toe. Was she ready? Only if he was going with her.

“I should probably go tell my sister good night,” she said.

“Oh, of course. So, I’ll meet you there?”

“Okay, I’ll be there in a minute.”

 

JC KISSED HER lightly on the lips as he let go of his hold on her and then watched her scurry out of the room. It was only seconds later that Terra appeared.

“You want my friend, huh?” he asked her teasingly.

“Who? Justin?” Terra replied with a devilish grin.

“Now, you better quit that. You know he’s off the market.”

“I know. Damn Britney,” Terra replied playfully, “does she even know how lucky she is?”

JC only shook his head. “You know that’s like my little sister you’re talking about?”

“I know. You know I’m just kidding. I would never try to steal Justin away from her,” Terra assured him.

“Anyway, I was talking about Chris,” JC explained.

“I know who you were talking about Chasez. Chris and I are just friends.”

“Hey, if you say so.”

“I do. Don’t let that little mind of yours wind up too tight thinking about it either because there is nothing going on between Chris and I. Nothing.”

“If you say so,” he repeated.

Terra shook her head with disagreement. “I’m going to my room,” she announced.

“Good night,” JC told her with a smile.

“Good night JC.”

JC headed upstairs and straight for Amanda’s bedroom. He would be glad to finally have her all to himself. Having Terra around hadn’t been too much of an invasion, but he had a feeling now that Samantha lived there too, it could get awfully difficult to have a private moment with his girl.

Hopefully Amanda would be able to adjust okay to her new sister. The girl was a little different, but there was nothing wrong with being different. Amanda would just have a harder time getting used to her, that’s all. JC was sure the two women would work it out.

Once in the privacy of Amanda’s bedroom, he headed straight for the shower. It had been a long day and a hot shower would definitely release some of the tension from his tired body.

 

"YOU THINK THAT you’ll be able to sleep okay? Being that you’re in a new place and all?” Amanda asked her sister as she sat on the desk chair in her bedroom.

“Yeah, I think I’ll be okay,” Samantha answered.

“I’m sorry if things have been a little uncomfortable for you today, and I’m sorry for what I said in the car.”

“It’s okay, you were just being honest with me. I understand,” Samantha replied as she searched through her dresser draws. “It’s gonna take me a little while to get used to everything around here,” she told Amanda, “my mom and I lived in a two bedroom apartment. This house is huge compared to where I used to live.”

“Really? An apartment? I can’t believe that – " Amanda stopped, she didn’t want to say anything to jeopardize Samantha from opening up to her.

“That our father would let that happen? Yeah, well I don’t know him very well like you do,” Samantha revealed, “he didn’t support us. My mom supported us.”

Now Amanda was completely confused. Why did he seem to care so deeply then?

“Did you ever see him?” she asked curiously.

“Once or twice a year. That’s about it.” Samantha answered, finally pulling a pair of gray cotton pajamas out of her drawer.

“I got the impression that you two were close.”

“Not really.”

Amanda didn’t dare ask why then she had called him daddy on the phone. Maybe it was because they weren’t close. That did make more sense to Amanda now that she thought about it.

“Well, I’m going to go to bed now. If you need anything, just help yourself, okay?” Amanda told her.

“I will. Hopefully I don’t get lost going to the bathroom.”

“You won’t,” Amanda smirked softly as she stood and walked towards the door.

“Hey, Amanda?"

“Yeah?” she asked, turning around quickly.

“Is, um, JC staying here tonight? I just wondered if I should worry about running into him in the hallway or something.”

“I wouldn’t worry about that too much. I’m on the other side of the house and I’ve got my own bathroom, but Terra’s only two doors down if you need anything.”

“Okay, thanks.”

“Goodnight,” Amanda grinned and reached for the door handle to let herself out.

“Goodnight.”

Once she finally made it to her bedroom, twenty minutes after she’d told JC she’d meet him there in a few minutes, she found him sprawled out on the bed, freshly showered and dead asleep.

“That figures,” she remarked softly to herself and disappeared into her walk-in closet. She grabbed a pair of pajamas before wandering into the bathroom to perform her nightly routine of washing her face and brushing her teeth.

A few minutes later, she nudged JC in the shoulder as she tried to get him to make some room for her on the bed. Unfortunately, he didn’t budge. “JC,” she said, “scoot over.”

He still didn’t move. Finally she poked him rather hard right smack in his rib cage.

“Hey,” he finally stirred, rolling over onto his back, “you don’t have to poke so hard.”

Amanda grinned, crawling onto the bed beside him and switching on the TV.

“You weren’t moving,” she explained.

“I wasn’t even asleep,” he revealed, “I was faking it.”

“Oh, you were?” she asked.

“Yep. How did it go with your sister?” he asked, sitting up beside her and situating his legs under the sheets.

“It went pretty good, I think. She actually opened up to me a little.”

“I see what you mean when you said she was the total opposite of a fan, but you know, it’s probably just a phase she’s going through.”

“I think I’m past the whole shock issue,” Amanda explained. “It’s obvious that she’s going through a lot and I’m going to try my best and not be bitter about the whole thing and be there for her.”

JC gave her a genuine smile as he snatched the remote from her hand. “That’s my girl,” he remarked, “now that’s the attitude I know and love.”

Amanda ignored his words and instead reached over to turn off the light on her nightstand. “Sure you can have the remote,” she told him sarcastically.

“Thanks,” he replied nonchalantly.

But Amanda wasn’t having it. She had a long day and there was only one thing she really wanted at the moment - him. There was no way she was going to sit back and watch TV.

Although, she had been the one to turn it on…

But that wasn’t the point.

“JC?” she said to him.

“Huh?” he asked, not paying her any attention.

“Don’t you remember our conversation earlier in the kitchen?” she asked.

“What conversation?”

“Oh, this is useless,” Amanda sighed and took the initiative to crawl right onto his lap.

“Hi,” he told her with a wide grin.

“Hi,” she replied, snatching the remote from his hand and tossing it on the floor. “Hope you weren’t watching that.”

“Nope, I was just waiting for you to seduce me,” he grinned devilishly.

“Good, ‘cause that’s just what I’m about to do,” Amanda revealed, inching her lips towards his neck and basking in the clean scent of her freshly showered man. Reaching one hand to the side of his head, she tangled her fingers in his damp shaggy hair before lightly dragging her mouth across his warm flesh.

A solid groan sounded from his voice as she touched him. “I’ve been thinking about this all day,” he told her as his arms wrapped around her back, his fingers searching for the bare skin underneath her thin pajama top.

“You have?” she asked, letting her breath tickle his ear.

“Yes.”

“Me too,” Amanda revealed.

His smooth touch inched up her bare back, his fingers crawling underneath the sheer material that served as her top, and a million tiny sparks ignited throughout her body. For four months she had been graced with his affection and it had been the best four months of her life. Four months that she wouldn’t change for the world. Four months and she still felt just as giddy and excited every time he touched her.

Instinctively her eyes fell closed as she tasted him again, her mouth teasing the freshly shaven skin just below his jaw line.

With one swift movement JC hoisted her up and tossed her gently on to her back, her head laying where her feet usually rested, and shadowed her body with his, hovering above her and studying her image as he balanced himself on one arm.

Amanda stared up at him with wanting eyes. If he only knew how incredibly sexy he appeared at that moment. Every muscle in his chest bulged as he rested his weight on that one arm until slowly he lowered himself against her.

Her arms curled around his neck, her fingers tangling into his hair as she pulled him down for a deep, needing kiss. She was on fire inside and he was the only one that could put it out.

“I want you,” she whispered as his lips broke away momentarily.

He groaned, a deep sexy groan that made the desire in her belly swirl with need.

But the sound of Amanda’s bedroom door creaking open caught them both off guard. Immediately Amanda looked over just in time to see Samantha’s face peaking through the door, “oh my god, I am so sorry,” she gasped with wide eyes and shut the door in a hurry.

JC rolled off Amanda and she instantly sat up in shock.

“Ten more minutes and she would’ve got one helluva show,” he remarked.

Amanda was almost too startled to speak, choosing to ignore his comment.

“I can’t believe – uh… I mean, why? She must be lost. I mean, she must’ve been looking for the bathroom or something. Why would she just walk in like that? Oh my god, this is so embarrassing.”

JC chuckled, “I think it’s kinda funny,” he told her.

“You would,” Amanda remarked, smacking him lightly in the chest.

He only smiled in response. It was obvious he was amused by the whole thing.

Amanda just sat there perturbed. She didn’t know what to do. “Should I go talk to her?” she asked.

“No, it will just make her feel worse. I’m sure she’s a lot more embarrassed than you are right now.”

“Oh god, you’re right. Poor thing. I don’t get it though, why would she just come in here like that?”

“Maybe she secretly has a crush on me and was hoping to catch me naked,” JC teased.

“That’s not funny,” Amanda told him, and then the thought actually hit her. What if it was true? “Oh my god, what if she does?”

JC only laughed at Amanda’s hysteria. “Babe, I don’t think that’s it. I was just kidding. I’m sure she just took a wrong turn down the hall or something. This house is kind of confusing.”

“This is just great. Tomorrow is going to be horrible. I thought we were making progress and now it just all went down the drain,” Amanda stood and walked towards the closet.

“Where are you going?” JC asked.

“To talk to Terra. I need advice,” Amanda answered, throwing on a burgundy colored robe.

“But we’re not finished,” JC reminded, obviously not happy at Amanda’s sudden decision to leave the room.

“I’ll be back. Don’t fall asleep. Okay?”

JC sighed loudly and straightened the blankets on the bed, switching his position so his head was actually where it was supposed to be. “Fine,” he said.

“I promise, I’ll be back in ten minutes.”

“Wake me up if I fall asleep,” he told her right before she darted out the door.

Amanda tip-toed down the hall way towards Terra’s room. Hopefully her cousin wasn’t asleep yet. Quietly she knocked, hoping not to stir Samantha. After a second, Terra opened the door and let her inside. Thankfully she hadn’t been sleeping, which was obvious since her light was on and she had an open book laying on her nightstand.

“What’s up?” Terra asked.

“Oh god, Terr. The most embarrassing thing just happened,” Amanda sighed, taking a seat on the edge of her cousin’s bed.

“What?” she asked curiously.

“Samantha walked in on us,” Amanda revealed quietly.

Instantly Terra’s hand flew to cover her mouth as she had to stifle a laugh.

“It’s not funny.”

“You’re right. It’s not funny,” Terra agreed, but she was still having a hard time wiping the grin from her face. “So, she walked in on you… were you guys like… you know?”

“We still had our clothes on, thank god!” Amanda gasped with wide eyes.

“Not that I really wanted to know the details or anything, I was just trying to paint a better picture of what poor Samantha walked into. I’m sure she’s going to be scarred for life now.”

Taking in a deep breath, Amanda realized that Terra wasn’t going to be much more help than JC. “Terr, it’s not funny. What am I supposed to do now? Should I try and talk to her about it?”

“My suggestions? For one, get a lock on your door. For two, just leave it alone. It would be more embarrassing for her – I’m sure – if you try to talk to her about it. Think about when you were fifteen. How would you have felt if you walked in on your parents having sex?”

That thought made Amanda’s lip snarl.

“Yeah, not a pretty picture, is it? Anyway, would you have wanted to talk about it the next day? No, you would have wanted to pretend it never happened.”

“Yeah, I guess you’re right. Even though we’re not her parents, but same thing. I guess.”

“Now,” Terra said, standing up and yanking her cousin off her bed, “go back to your room. Finish whatever it was that got interrupted – oh god, I can’t believe I just told you that,” Terra realized. “Okay, just go. I need to get some sleep.”

Complying, Amanda opened the door and whispered, “goodnight” to her cousin for the last time.

Terra just shook her head and chuckled.

Amanda was having a difficult time shaking the feeling that things were about to get weirder before they returned to normal. Having a sister around was going to take more adjustments than she had realized.

 

Chapter 4 by BrandyRae

Only Time Will Tell | by BrandyRae Chapter 4

 

Her phone up to one ear, checking her voicemail as she unlocked the front door with her free hand, Terra realized that late February in Orlando was a lot warmer than New York.  Maybe it was time to start unpacking her spring clothes because the thin sweater she was wearing seemed a little warm.

Finally making her way inside, she prayed that no one was home. The house had been a little strange over the past two weeks and really she just wanted some peace and quiet. Just when Terra thought Amanda and her sister might start to get along, something would always set them back.

Yesterday had been no exception as Samantha came home with a surprising new piercing – in her tongue. Amanda, of course, threw a fit. Samantha, of course, went off on a “your not my mother and you can’t tell me what to do” tangent. It had been very entertaining to say the least.

After listening to two voicemails from her assistant and one from Chris, Terra tossed her phone into her purse and headed straight for her bedroom to change out of her confining business attire. She’d kill to have a job where she could wear jeans everyday. Unfortunately she chose the wrong profession for that.

Taking in a deep sigh, Terra collapsed onto her bed. Amanda and JC were leaving for their romantic getaway the next morning and Terra had voluntarily – or not so voluntarily – offered to stay home with Sam. Normally it wouldn’t have been a big deal, but lately Terra had been feeling a little irritated with the whole ordeal. It was time for her to get her own place, whether Amanda wanted her to or not.

Four people in one house were too many, and that’s how it seemed to be most of the time. JC was over almost every night since Sam had moved in. Before Sam came, the couple would switch off, but now it just seemed like he’d practically moved in.

Terra didn’t mind it too much, except for the fact that she had hardly any privacy. Between Amanda, Sam and JC, Terra hardly had any time to herself except for when she locked herself away in her bedroom.

And since it was Amanda’s house after all, Terra had no right to make a fuss. She was living there rent free, which she realized was awfully nice of her cousin.

But god forbid she actually bring home a date. In fact, maybe that was her whole problem. Her sexual tension was wound up pretty tight considering she hadn’t been out with a man since she’d moved to Orlando two months ago.

Well, except for Chris, but he didn’t count. Those weren’t considered dates. They were just hanging out. As friends. Because that’s all they were. Friends.

As she kicked off her shoes, she couldn’t help but hear the echo of voices coming from downstairs. Apparently, someone was home.

After changing into her more casual clothing, she wandered downstairs. Not surprisingly, she found both girls in the kitchen.

“Hey Terr, long day?” Amanda asked as she unpacked some groceries into the cupboard. It looked like they had bought a whole case of soup. Terra had to smirk, because undoubtedly it was for Samantha’s swollen tongue. Amanda tried to be so tough, but deep down she was just a big softy. She would never make Samantha take it out.

“You could say that,” Terra answered, taking stance beside Samantha, leaning against the counter. “How’s your tongue?” she asked the younger girl.

“Big,” Samantha answered with a bit of a lisp, opening her mouth for Terra to see.

“Is that why you guys bought a shit load of soup?” Terra asked.

“Yesth,” Sam answered, still trying to learn how to speak with a foreign object in her mouth. Her words were just a little slurred. “Are you sthill takin’ me to Universthal on Saturday?”

“Yeah, sure.” Terra agreed.

“Thanks again Terra. I really appreciate it.” Amanda said.

“I know you do.”

A minute or two later Sam announced she was going up to her bedroom and left the two cousins alone in the kitchen.

“You two seem to be getting along rather well today,” Terra commented once Samantha was safely out of ear shot.

“Yeah, I guess,” Amanda agreed. “It would take a lot to ruin my mood today since JC and I are leaving tomorrow. Well, maybe if she came home with a tattoo or something. That might screw up my good mood.”

“You never know, it could happen.”

“Don’t say that... please?” Amanda sighed with exasperation.

“Sorry,” Terra smirked.

“Anyway, what’s been up with you lately?” Amanda asked, finally finishing with the groceries and taking a few steps towards her cousin. “You seem kinda… not very happy.”

“Yeah, I know. Honestly Manda, I’m getting kinda lonely out here.”

“Lonely? But you have me. I mean, you’re never by yourself hardly ever.”

It was obvious Amanda didn’t understand. How could she? She’d never had a dry spell. Well, technically she had, but she had never known what she was missing.

“That’s not what I mean, silly. In regards to the male species, I’m feeling kinda lonely.” She explained.

“Well, what about Chris?”

Terra should’ve expected his name to come up. “Manda, for the twenty-billionth time, Chris and I are just friends. I don’t even look at him that way.”

“That’s too bad because I think he really likes you,” Amanda rebutted, turning her back to open the refrigerator. “You want something to drink while I’m in here?”

“No thanks,” Terra answered.

Amanda pulled out a bottled water and returned to her position against the counter.

“Yes, he really likes me AS A FRIEND. That’s it.” She hoped that was it, anyway. The last person she wanted to hurt was Chris. Getting involved with him would ruin their friendship for sure.

“He’s a really great guy. It’s too bad, you know, that you’re just friends.”

“Stop trying to set me up, Amanda. You know how I am. Chris is the last person I would want to get involved with.”

Amanda knew her cousin meant business when she actually pronounced the first syllable in her name, but she still couldn’t help but think it was just a shame that Terra wouldn’t give Chris a chance. “Okay, fine. I won’t bring it up again,” Amanda finally gave in.

“Thank you,” Terra replied. “So, what’s the deal with you anyway? What time are you leaving in the morning and are you going to give me the information on where you’re going in case of an emergency or something?”

Amanda smirked, that goofy grin spreading across her lips with just the thought of their trip. She knew it was there, she could feel it. She didn’t need to look to know.

“God, I hate you for being so insanely happy,” Terra teased her.

“Sorry,” Amanda grinned, trying to return back to reality. “We’re not leaving until after Sam leaves for school. She’s got her house key so you don’t have to worry about being here when she gets home.”

“Okay, and you’ll be where?” Terra asked again.

“I’m not sure. He didn’t tell me where we were going.”

“Okay, I guess I’ll just have to ask him then,” Terra decided. “Is he coming over tonight?”

“Nope, he’s staying at home tonight and picking me up in the morning.”

“Are you kidding me?” Terra asked, feigning shock. “You guys are actually going to spend a night apart?”

“Ha, ha. Very funny. Yes, we are.”

“You know, Manda,” Terra remarked, reaching across the counter and placing her hand over Amanda’s. “Are you gonna be okay when he leaves next week? You guys spend like every day together. What are you going to do when he goes back on tour?”


“Terr, I’ll be fine,” Amanda insisted, pulling her hand away. Honestly, she didn’t want to think about that at the moment. She hated the fact that he was going to be on the road for three months, but there was nothing she could do about it and she’d just have to deal with it. She was sure she’d fly out to visit him as much as she could. Although, with Sam there now, that would be a lot more difficult than she had originally planned. It would work out though, she just knew it would. Some way or another. It had to.

“You sure?” Terra asked inquiringly.

“Yes, I’m sure. I’m strong. I can handle it.”

“Okay.” It was obvious that Terra didn’t believe her.

“I’ll be fine,” Amanda repeated.

“I’m sure you will.”

“I will,” Amanda stressed. But inside she could only hope.

Amanda realized that night as she laid in bed, alone, that Terra was right. It was going to be awfully difficult for her once JC left on tour. Not having him there for one night was rough. How was she going to handle three whole months?

She tossed and turned all night. A part of her was too anxious for the morning when he’d be picking her up and the other part of her was thinking over Terra’s words. Why had her cousin brought that up? She had done such a good job of pushing it out of her mind until then.

When morning finally did hit, Amanda was up bright and early. With her bags all packed, she dropped Samantha off at school and then returned home, where she found JC’s SUV already parked in the driveway. He was early and for some reason that made her happier than beyond belief.

In fact, she was so thrilled, she found herself nearly jogging to get inside the house.

But once inside, she realized Terra and JC were in the middle of a heated debate in the kitchen. She slowed her pace down so she could listen to their discussion.

“You’re gonna hurt her, I know you are,” she heard Terra say.

“Terra, I would never do anything to hurt Amanda. Why would you say that?” he asked.

“Because, you’re leaving next week and she’s not gonna be able to handle it. I just know she’s not. She is so attached to you JC. I can see the depression coming on already.”

“I think you’re overreacting. Besides she can visit me as much as she wants. Hell, she could stay with me the whole tour if she wanted.”

“She can’t do that JC. She has a sister to take care of,” Terra reminded.

“Well, that wasn’t part of the master plan, Terra.” He rebutted.

“I know, I know.” Amanda’s cousin remarked, her voice calming down just a hair. “I just don’t want her to get hurt.”

“I’m not gonna be touring like this for the rest of my life. It won’t always be like this, Amanda knows that” JC explained.

Amanda took the opportunity to make herself known after that comment, coughing fairly loud before making her entrance into the kitchen.

Both just looked at her like they’d been busted sneaking into the cookie jar.

“I appreciate your concern Terra, but JC’s right. I’ll be fine,” Amanda assured her cousin.

“See?” JC added.

“Now can we just drop the whole subject?” Amanda asked.

“That’s fine, whatever.” Terra agreed, stepping up to give her cousin a hug before she left for work. “You two be careful and don’t get yourself into any trouble. I’ll see you on Monday.”

”Thanks, mom,” Amanda replied with sarcasm.

A few seconds later the front door slammed and Terra was out of the house. Amanda stepped towards JC and wrapped her arms instinctively around his waist. “She’s just overprotective when it comes to me, that’s all.” Amanda explained. She felt a little bad for Terra’s interrogation towards him.

“I know,” JC replied. “I’m glad that you have people in your life that care about you as much as Terra does.”

“And like you do,” Amanda added, reaching up to brush her lips against his.

“And like I do,” he agreed, returning the loving gesture. “Are you ready?”

“Did you not notice my suitcases in the entryway?”

“Actually, I already put them in the car,” he grinned.

“Good. Let’s go.”


It was just after four when Terra filled her briefcase with the necessary files she needed to work on her case over the weekend and called it a day. Normally she would have stayed until at least five, but she didn’t really want to leave Samantha alone for too long. She may have been Amanda’s sister, but when it all came down to it, they’d only known the girl for two weeks. Who knew what she was capable of in that big house all by herself.

Despite her doubt, Terra arrived home to find Samantha planted in front of the TV watching some afternoon talk show and snacking on potato chips. Typical teenage behavior. She was thankful, because that she could handle.

The evening went pretty smoothly. Since Terra was not as a spectacular of a cook as her cousin, she ordered every teenager’s favorite food for dinner – pizza. Fortunately, the swelling in Sam's mouth had went down enough so she could actually eat real food. The poor thing had lived off of soup and yogurt for two days.

They had just finished eating when Chris called.

Sam had answered the phone, but immediately given it to Terra. The two had been right smack in the middle of watching the movie America’s Sweethearts. Your typical chick flick. Samantha may have pretended to not like those sort of things, but everyday she seemed to become more and more normal. She just looked different with her piercings and her black fingernails. Her dyed hair, now that was something Terra was set on fixing. It was beginning to grow out and her roots were quite a bit lighter than the dye job. She just knew Amanda would be ecstatic if she came home and Samantha had normal looking hair.

“What’s up?” Terra asked as she took the receiver from Sam, pausing the movie just as the threatening Doberman Pincher was licking Billy Crystal’s crotch.

The girls had been in mid-laughter when the phone rang.

“Not much, what are you girls doing there all by yourself?” he asked.

“Watching Billy Crystal get his balls licked,” Terra chuckled.

“Really?”

“Yeah… by a dog. In a movie.” Terra clarified.

“Sure it’s a movie. Are you corrupting young Samantha?” he asked with his usual sarcasm. “Do I need to come over there and protect her?”

“If anyone was going to corrupt Sam, it wouldn’t be me. It would be you,” Terra remarked.

“I am an outstanding role model for kids of all ages. I have no idea what you’re talking about,” he defended.

“Puh-lease…” That had to be the farthest thing from the truth.

“Anyway,” he said with exaggeration. “Did you girls want some company or not? I could bring ice cream…”

“ONLY if you bring ice cream,” Terra answered.

“Okay, I’ll see you in twenty.”

“Bye,” Terra told and hung up the phone.

“He’s starting to grow on me,” Samantha revealed. “At first I thought he was total dork, but he is kinda funny.”

“Just don’t tell him that,” Terra told her.

“Okay, I won’t.”

“Hey, Sam?”

“Yeah?”

“Don’t be afraid to tell me no if you want to, but you’re hair is starting grow out and your roots are showing. If you want I could take you to the salon this weekend?”

Samantha paused, pulling her feet up underneath her on the couch. “I think I’ll just keep it how it is if you don’t mind,” she finally answered.

“Okay, no problem. It’s your hair.” And with that, the subject was dropped.

Almost an hour later, after eating two different kinds of ice cream and finishing up the movie, Samantha went upstairs to her room leaving Chris and Terra alone in the living room.

Chris was being his normal joking self, making wisecracks left and right, when suddenly Terra started to wonder, what if he did have a thing for her? He did call her a lot. She called him too, but she knew her feelings were strictly platonic. What if she was leading him on? What if he thought she wanted a relationship with him?

Maybe it was time to find out the truth. “Chris,” she said, “when was the last time you went out on a date?”

“Who me?” He asked with surprise. “Actually, I had one right before I came over.”

“Shut up,” Terra told him, tossing a pillow across the room in his direction. “You did not.”

”Okay, maybe I didn’t. Why do you want to know?”

“Just curious, I guess.”

“Has Justin been talking to you?” he asked curiously, his brow furrowed into the center of his forehead as he peered at her from the opposite sofa. As if Justin could tell her all of Chris’ deep dark secrets. Well… she figured, he probably could.

“No,” Terra chuckled. “I wish.”

“I know you want him. They all do. If he wasn’t already taken I would so hook you up,” Chris teased.

“He’s a little young for me anyway,” Terra remarked.

“Oh please, like he would argue! Look at you, girl! You are hot! He’d take you in a heartbeat if it weren’t for Britney.”

Well, Terra decided, Chris was definitely good for her ego. She couldn’t help but laugh at his comment. “You think so?”

“I know so. Shit, if I were a guy, I would SO do you.”

Now that brought on a big laugh. “Chris, you ARE a guy!” she reminded him.

“Well, yeah. But you know what I mean.”

“You’re too much, you know that?” she giggled. “It’s too bad I like you so much, or I just might let you.”

Immediately from the strange look on Chris’ face Terra realized she’d said too much. Sometimes it was easy to forget that Chris didn’t know her THAT well.

“Yeah,” he remarked, puzzled, “I’m not even gonna ask what that meant.”

“Well, you know. Since we’re such good friends and all. I’d hate to ruin that.”

“Okay… whatever you say.”

Suddenly Terra was feeling extremely uncomfortable. “I think I’m gonna get something to drink. You thirsty?” she asked, hoping to end the topic of conversation.

“Sure. You guys got any beer in this house?” he asked.

“Yeah, I’ll bring you one,” she told him and hopped out of the room as fast as she could without looking too obvious. She had a feeling when she came back things were going to be just a little weird between them.

 

It was only a minute or two later when she found out her feeling was right.

Chapter 5 by BrandyRae

Only Time Will Tell | by BrandyRae
Chapter 5 

Saturday morning Samantha’s alarm went off bright and early. Eight thirty to be exact. Giving her plenty of time to be ready by nine thirty when her and Terra had planned to leave for Universal Studios. Groggily she rolled out of bed and headed downstairs to the kitchen for a bowl of cereal.

The night before had been a little rough. As much as she tried to hide it, she was still hurting a great deal over her mother’s death. Late at night, when she was all alone, it seemed the worst. During the day it was easy for life to let her forget, but at night there was nothing, only her thoughts and those were what hurt her the most.

It had been the last thing in her life she’d ever expected. Her world had been completely turned upside down and now her entire life was changed forever. She’d do anything to have it back. Anything.

Stumbling down the curved staircase in her PJ’s and slippers, she realized that the house seemed eerily quiet. Terra and Amanda were both early risers and for Terra not to be up moving around was a little strange. She hoped it was because she was up in her room getting ready for their day. Sam had to admit she was a little excited about it.

Passing the TV room as she headed to the kitchen for that much-needed bowl of cereal, Sam noticed two socked feet hanging over the edge of one sofa. Curious, she took a detour and stepped inside the casual living room.

Instantly she spotted the collection of beer bottles on the coffee table. Taking a step closer, she realized, apparently, someone had consumed a little too much to drink the night before. Actually, make that two someone’s – Chris AND Terra.

Samantha stood there half confused and half irritated, with her nose scrunched and her brow furrowed as she studied the sorry site. How the heck were they going to make it to Universal on time now? Loudly she let out a big huff, hoping it would disturb one of them.

But it didn’t.

Terra, sleeping on the larger sofa – ironically enough since she was the smaller of the two, had her head buried under one of the many beige colored sofa pillows, her arm on top of that and not letting anything through. No light, no sound, no anything.

Chris, on the other hand, was sprawled out on the love seat with his feet dangling over the arm and laying flat on his back. His hair looked like a rat’s nest and one of his hands rested right smack on top of his face. It truly was a sight to see. Sam almost wished she’d had a digital camera at that moment because surely she could make some money off a picture like that on the Internet.

Of course, Amanda would kill Samantha for doing such a thing, but what her sister didn’t know wouldn’t hurt.

She stood still for a minute, trying to think of the best way to wake them. What would make them both want to kill her right then and there? Surely they’d both be hung over. They’d obviously had too much to drink or else Chris would have gone home and Terra would have slept in her bed.

Boy, she could only imagine what Amanda would think of all this.

And then it hit her!

Showing Amanda a picture would be better than posting it on the Internet! She’d be thoroughly irritated at her cousin’s behavior in HER house when she was supposedly keeping any eye on HER little sister.

Ha! With a sudden burst of energy Sam skipped out of the room and headed back upstairs for the Polaroid camera Amanda kept in her office. Surely she wouldn’t mind if she took just one picture. Sneaking back downstairs, camera in hand as she tip-toed into the TV room, Sam took stance in front of the both of them, aimed the camera and snapped.

Of course, the Polaroid was just a little bit noisier than she’d expected. As she pulled the square photo paper from the front of the camera, Chris let out a rather loud groan and, at the same time, the pillow that had been covering Terra’s face was suddenly tossed to the ground.

They were both awake.

Her eyes wide, Sam ran out of the room and straight up the stairs before they both realized what she’d done and tried to kill her!

“Um, Terr?” Chris yawned, “why am I here?… and why did your little cousin just take off like we were going to attack her or something?”

Slowly Terra sat up, rubbing her eyes and gradually focusing in on the numerous green beer bottles in front of her. “Did we drink all of that?” she asked with surprise.

“I think so. Well, I think you drank most of it.”

Terra shook her head and blinked her eyes, hoping the amount of empty alcohol containers would shrink. “Shit, I’ve gotta get in the shower,” she realized instead.

“Wait? What about Sam?” Chris asked.

“What about her?”

“Don’t you think that was a little weird? Her running off like that?”

“She was probably just embarrassed to find you on the sofa. Or wait,” Terra chuckled, “she probably just didn’t want YOU to be embarrassed once you realized someone actually witnessed THAT hair.”

Nervously Chris raised a hand to the top of his head. “Is it that bad?” he asked, trying to comb through it with his fingers.

“YES.”

Disgruntled, he shook his head and stood from the couch. “Do you remember what happened last night?” he asked curiously.

“What do you mean?” Terra asked, trying to grasp as many bottles as possible so she could take them to the garbage in the kitchen.

“I mean, drinking, passing out, all of that. Me sleeping on your couch?”

“I remember listening to – wait, what were we listening to? The Beatles? Oh, and drinking – A LOT,” she explained as he helped her clean up Amanda’s glass-topped coffee table.

“Aren’t you guys supposed to be going to Universal Studios or something?” he asked, following her into the kitchen.

“Yes, that’s why I need to get in the shower,” Terra answered, “but first, I need aspirin because my head is pounding.”

Chris smirked softly as Terra dropped the items from her hands into the garbage. “Rookie,” he teased.

“Am not,” she argued.

“My head doesn’t hurt.”

“Because you drink too much,” Terra accused. “You’ve built up a tolerance.”

“No, I just know how to handle my alcohol. That’s all,” Chris countered.

“Whatever Kirkpatrick,” she sighed with a roll of her light colored eyes, as she had absolutely no desire or energy to argue with him at the moment.

“Alright, well I’m outta here,” he informed her after tossing his share of bottles into the trash.

“Bye,” she replied. He flashed her a wave and was out the door.

What exactly had happened last night? And why did Terra have this strange feeling that she had talked a little more than she would’ve liked? Hopefully, if she had, he’d been too drunk to remember. If not, well… she was sure he’d let her know sooner or later. She wasn’t looking too forward to that day.


“IF YOU'RE GONNA call you better do it now, because once we leave this room I’m not letting you think of anything except for me and you,” JC told Amanda as he waited for her to finish getting ready for their "date."

Ever since Amanda had settled into Orlando it had been too easy to stay in and be home bodies. This weekend he was treating every second like it might be there last. He wanted it to be there best time together yet. So far, his expectations hadn’t been failed.

“I know, I know. I’m gonna call right now,” Amanda assured him. “I know I shouldn’t even worry about it but I just want to make sure everything’s okay since we never gave them a number of where we’d be.”

“Yeah,” he smirked, “I kind of did that on purpose.”

”I know, I’m sorry.”

“Don’t start apologizing to me Amanda Marie. You know I hate it when you do that.”

His words made her pause as she grasped on to her cell phone tightly, almost dialing the numbers. She loved it when he used her middle name. Unlike Terra, his use of it was unmistakably playful. Combined with that smug look he was shooting at her, the use of it was almost deadly.

Girlishly she smiled, “two minutes,” she assured him.

“I’m timing you,” he replied with a wink before looking down at his watch.

Quickly she dialed Terra’s cell number so she could get the call out of the way and continue with their time alone.

Ten minutes later they were safely on their way to the car, and where ever else it was JC planned on taking them because Amanda had no clue. “Jace,” she called him sweetly, “where are we going?”

“Ha,” he replied swiftly, “wouldn’t you like to know?”

“Yes, that’s why I asked.”

Stepping through the lobby of their hotel, she looped her arm through his and stood closely by his side. “Don’t worry, sweetheart. I promise you’ll like it,” he assured her.

“As long as I’m with you I’ll like it,” Amanda smiled.

“I know,” he remarked with a cocky grin, glancing at her as she walked in step right beside him, teasing her just the way she like it. It was that confidence that attracted her so strongly to him. That confidence he carried with him ever since they met. He may have only been playing with her, but either way she loved it.

Of course, she pretended to be immune, rolling her eyes at his arrogance.

In true gentleman fashion, he led her through the exit of the grand hotel, opening the door and closing it behind her. The same went as she climbed into the car, her car, in which he was driving. She paid close attention as he trotted around the front and hopped in the driver’s side.

Instead of turning the key in the ignition, JC stopped, turned towards her and smiled charmingly. “Have I told you how nice you look?” he asked, leaning one elbow into the center console as his body seemed to move in just a smidgen closer.

“Not yet,” she informed, glancing down at her tan colored skirt and the earth tone-patterned, low cut blouse she was wearing. Amanda knew what he was really telling her. He was saying you’re showing skin and I like it. Each time they went out she seemed to show more and more flesh. He was either stripping away that conservative side or making her feel very self-confident. Or maybe it was a little bit of both, she wasn’t quite sure.

JC leaned in even closer, his eyesight blatantly staring down the valley of her cleavage. Amanda could only smirk at his obvious approval of her bosom. Slowly his vision rolled up her chest and neck until finally meeting her eye to eye. “You look really hot,” he said with a devilish grin.

“Thanks.”

“Who would ever know you’re the same girl I met almost five months ago in those stuffy business suits.”

“It was all part of the job,” she reminded.

“Yes, it was,” he agreed.

“Should we go now?” Amanda asked him.

“Um,” he sounded, reaching one arm behind her seat and pulling out a silky black scarf, “first I have to put this on you.”

“What do you mean put that on me?” Amanda asked, not quite understanding what he implying.

“Meaning, I’m blindfolding you, Ms. Ballard,” he said smugly.

“Why?” She asked as he lifted the soft material to her face, letting it brush against the tip of her nose and then hover just in front of her eyes.

“Because where I’m taking you is a surprise,” he explained, dropping the blindfold just enough to let her look him in the eye. He grinned something sexy, his blue eyes captivating her with each second they held her attention.

“A surprise?”

”That’s what I said.” With tenderness he brought the covering to her eyes and carefully tied it.

“Don’t mess up my hair,” she told him.

He ignored her request, asking instead, “is it too tight?”

“No, it’s fine.”

“Okay, good.”

And with that her sight was completely gone, but she could feel the warmth of him close by. She was positive he was still watching her, leaning in to look at her. “This is kinda weird,” she remarked.

He chuckled softly. “Can you see anything?” he asked.

“Not a thing.”

“Not even this?” he asked, but Amanda was clueless because she hadn’t been lying when she’d said she couldn’t see.

“Nope.”

“You wouldn’t lie to me?”

"Never.”

“Good.”

She felt his breath first, before his lips brushed against hers. And for some reason, they seemed even softer and more sensual than they normally did. In fact, the seductive dance of his mouth with hers, his tongue skimming across her lips, was making her unusually warm all of the sudden. This blindfold idea could prove to be extremely erotic.

“Maybe we should just go back up to the room,” she suggested breathily as he broke away.

“Nope,” he smirked, “that would be way too easy.”

“You’re evil.”

“I know,” he agreed, finally starting the car, leaving Amanda utterly hot from head to toe. At this rate, getting through dinner was going to be rather difficult. The scarf over her eyes wouldn’t allow her to witness the grin of satisfaction on his ever-so handsome face, but Amanda was positive it was there.

Amanda fidgeted in her seat as JC guided the car to their unknown destination. She always seemed to get fidgety when she wasn’t quite sure what was going on. This time was no exception. With a slight tickle in her nose, she reached up to slide her finger just underneath the bottom edge of the blindfold.

“Hey. No peeking.” JC warned.

“I’m not. My nose itches,” Amanda griped.

“This is torture for you, isn’t it?” he asked.

“Yes, how did you guess?”

A soft laugh escaped his voice as he chose not to answer. It was obvious he loved torturing her.

“Are we almost there?” she asked after a minute.

“Almost,” he answered casually.

“Will I get to take the blindfold off before we get out of the car?” Amanda asked curiously. She didn’t know where it was they would wind up but she could only imagine the looks she was bound to get walking around with a silk scarf covering her eyes. Oh well, at least she wouldn’t be able to see people gawking since with the blindfold she couldn’t see a damn thing anyway.

“Nope.”

Amanda huffed frustratingly and let her body slouch a little in her seat. “Don’t be upset, sweetheart.” His voice lifted her, as it always did. She could never be upset with him. Maybe a little irritated, but never upset. Besides, she did like the game he was playing, she just didn’t want him to know it.

“Are we stopping?” she asked.

“Just at a light,” he answered.

“Oh.”

Amanda sat quiet, wishing she could just have one glimpse of him. That was the only bad part of the whole blindfold idea. She couldn’t look at him. And oh how she loved to do that. She closed her eyes tight and envisioned the sexy black slacks he’d been wearing and how they made his backside look just right.

A giggle seeped from her mouth and she knew instantly he was going to ask why. But until he did, she decided to keep on with that attractive visual in her head.

As she sat there for those few brief seconds, her legs crossed tightly and her hands folded neatly in her lap, she felt his presence near. Her breath stopped short as the warm touch of his mouth touched just at the top of her cleavage. In less than a second her pulse quickened and her body became flushed with desire. All of this unexpected attention was making her head spin.

“Joshua,” she called him, surprise filling her voice, “don’t you think you should pay attention to the road?”

He chuckled, the cool air hitting her skin as the warmth of his lips left. “We’re not on the road anymore,” he informed her.

“I thought you said we were at a stoplight?” Amanda was thoroughly confused. JC was messing with her in every way possible.

“I did, but we’re not. We’re here.”

“Oh.”

“Just stay there. I’ll come around,” he told her.

Amanda sat there patiently as she heard him open his door, get out, shut the door and then imagined he was on his way around to her side. A few seconds later the passenger door opened and she felt his body leaning over her. Her seatbelt unlocked and the back of his hand brushed against her breast as he slid the shoulder harness from her chest.

One more touch to send her senses into overload. At this point, she wanted him so badly her entire body ached.

She reached for her purse on the floorboard and took his hand, letting him help her out of the car. As soon as he shut her door and the sound of the alarm chirped, she intertwined her arm in his and took in a deep sigh. “So, where are we?”

“You’ll see in a minute.”

There were voices around them, but nothing too particularly loud. It didn’t seem like they were in a restaurant, but they were obviously somewhere public. After walking several feet, they stopped and Amanda heard what sounded like the ding of an elevator.

“Where are we?” she asked again.

JC didn’t answer her. Instead he let out a cheerful, “hi,” obviously to someone other than herself. “It’s her birthday,” he said and bumped her leg discreetly with his knee. She could only guess that meant to play along, but she wasn’t really up for making a big scene about her pretend birthday surprise.

A couple seconds later, he was leading them into what Amanda imagined was an elevator. “Can I take it off now?” she asked.

“No.” JC leaned in, the warmth of his body consuming the air around her, and placed one sweet kiss on her cheek before draping an arm over her shoulders.

The elevator stopped, that much she could tell, but he didn’t budge her to move. “This isn’t our stop,” he whispered softly into her ear.

“Oh.”

The rolling sound of the doors alerted her they had shut and the elevator floor once again began to move. “We’re alone,” JC breathed into her ear.

“Good,” Amanda remarked, “why is it my birthday all of a sudden?”

He chuckled and kissed her cheek once more. “Because there was an elderly couple looking at us funny. Actually they were looking at me funny. I think they thought I was kidnapping you.”

“Well, you kinda are,” Amanda grinned.

“I guess you could look at it like that.”

“But not in an illegal sort of way,” she added.

“Well, yeah. Because I have your permission to kidnap you.”

“Yes,” she agreed.

The rumble of the doors sounded once more and this time Amanda knew it had to be their stop. She was also figuring from their long ride that they must have been pretty high up. She had absolutely no clue where they were.

“Okay, this way,” JC said, guiding her forward.

“Are we in another hotel?” Amanda asked, still trying her best to guess.

“This is not Twenty Questions. This is my surprise and you will find out when I say so.” JC laid down the law.

“Yes, sir.”

“That’s more like it,” he smirked.

Amanda walked beside him, tiny sprays of light trying to seep through the dark blindfold, but still not able to see a thing. Finally, she felt his muscles contract as he moved to open a door. “We’re here,” he said, guiding her through, “but you can’t look just yet.”

“You’re killing me,” Amanda whined.

“I know, and it’s been worth every second. Trust me.”

Immediately Amanda smelled something utterly delicious. Her senses peaked as she took in a big whiff, her mouth watering on command. “Mmmm…”

“Hungry?” he asked.

“I am now.”

“Smells good, huh?”

“Yes.”

“Bet you wanna know what it is?” he teased.

“Yes.”

With those words, their walk came to a halt. His arm fell from her grasp and she stood feeling somewhat alone. But the feeling only lasted a second, because that was all the time it took for his strong arms to engulf her slender frame and his tender lips to seek out hers in a passionate kiss. Almost unknowingly her body sank into his, the thought of their game lost to the heat of the moment.

The pad of his thumb brushed over her cheek and teased the flesh just below her blindfold. “I love you,” he whispered softly and the taste of his sweet lips graced themselves against hers once more. “I have something I want you to hear.”

“Okay,” Amanda agreed quietly, not wanting to ruin the tenderness of the moment.

Sliding his hand into hers, he spoke softly, “sit down here,” he said, as he moved her a few steps forward and then guided her onto the chair… or rather bench, piano bench that is. Instantly she recognized the hard feel of it. Her foot instinctively searched for the pedals.

His hands brushed over her shoulders and then disappeared, only to let his body take seat beside her barely moments later. “I take it you have an idea of what this is?” he asked.

“Yes, I do.”

“Well, in a minute I’ll uncover your eyes.”

“You’re not going to make me play blindfolded are you?” she asked.

“Can’t you?”

“Probably.”

A soft laugh fell from his lips. “Well, lucky for you, I’m not going to hold you to it. Tonight, I’ll be the one playing, not you,” he paused briefly, “but I need you to scoot over just a little.” His hand touched her hip and she shifted herself away from him.

“Is that okay?” she asked.

“Perfect,” he answered and notably took in a deep breath. The bench gave as he adjusted his position slightly. If she hadn’t known better, she might have thought he was just a hair nervous. “Sweetheart,” he spoke warmly, “because... I love you.”

And with that he began to play.

And with the first note Amanda understood.

And she was so incredibly touched that she immediately felt the sting of tears.

And she wasn’t even going to try and stop them.

Instead she closed her eyes, and let one of the possibly most beautiful songs she had ever known encompass her in a completely new way, giving in completely to the whirlwind of emotion that filled her heart.

It was a song that touched her in so many ways he could have never imagined how much it would mean to her. Not only was it the song that ultimately led him to her, it was the song that she had shared a love and a passion for, with her mother. Together, it had been the one song they had loved more than any other.

Tears trickled down her cheeks, moisture gently clinging to the scarf around her eyes. She didn’t care. She was moved in a way unimaginable to her up until that very moment.

And then he began to sing.

His beautiful, perfectly-tuned soulful voice carried over the notes of the piano and touched beyond the meaning of the song. From now on, it would mean to her something completely different.

Oh so long for this night I prayed

That a star would guide you my way

To share with me this special day

Where a ribbon's in the sky for our love


If allowed may I touch your hand

And if pleased may I once again

So that you too will understand

There's a ribbon in the sky for our love


Do...Do...

Do Do Do Do Do...

HMM HMM...


This is not a coincidence

And far more than a lucky chance

But what is that was always meant

Is our ribbon in the sky for our love, love


We can't lose with God on our side

We'll find strength in each tear we cry

From now on it will be you and I

And our ribbon in the sky

Ribbon in the sky

A ribbon in the sky for our love


Do...Do...

Do Do Do Do Do...

HMM HMM...


There's a ribbon in the sky for our love


His fingers left the keys and silence filled the room, all except for Amanda’s sniffle. She couldn’t help it. There was no way she could have held it in. “JC,” she gasped, robustly wiping tears from her cheeks. “That was the most – That was just – You don’t even understand – “ Amanda was so touched she couldn’t even find her words.

“Shhh…” Gently he slid the cover from her eyes and kissed her lips, brushing his hands over her cheeks and drying her tears at the same time. “You weren’t supposed to cry,” he told her, pulling her into a loving embrace. “I know I don’t play it as good as you, but I didn’t think it was so bad I would make you cry.”

Through her tears, she laughed, her chin resting on his shoulder as he held her so contently. “It was beautiful,” she finally managed to say.

“You’re just saying that to make me feel better,” he spoke softly.

“No, I’m not,” Amanda defended, leaning back and looking into his eyes. “No one has ever done anything for me so special. No one.”

He looked at her with a wealth of knowledge in those gorgeous blue eyes, a gentle smile easing across his lips.

He knew.

And he didn’t even have to tell her that he knew, because she knew it, too.


Lyrics: Stevie Wonder, "Ribbon In The Sky" (If you've never listened to it - you should)

© BrandyRae 2002
This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2553