Double Occupancy by Alysen Blaine
Past Featured StorySummary:

JC Chasez is the head manager of the prestigious Chancellor Hotel in Islamorada Key. He's not easy to work for and after their first meeting, Delaney Nixon is determined to show him just exactly how much she will give him a run for his money.

 

"

 


Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: Chris Kirkpatrick, JC Chasez, Joey Fatone
Awards: Season 8
Genres: Alternate Universe
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 17 Completed: No Word count: 62854 Read: 16374 Published: Mar 09, 2014 Updated: Jun 18, 2016
Story Notes:

Runner Up - Season 8 Best AU  

 

stories/1967/images/unnamed.jpg

 

stories/1967/images/unnamed-2.jpg 

stories/1967/images/unnamed-1.jpg 

1. Chapter 1 by Alysen Blaine

2. Chapter 2 by Alysen Blaine

3. Chapter 3 by Alysen Blaine

4. Chapter 4 by Alysen Blaine

5. Chapter 5 by Alysen Blaine

6. Chapter 6 by Alysen Blaine

7. Chapter 7 by Alysen Blaine

8. Chapter 8 by Alysen Blaine

9. Chapter 9 by Alysen Blaine

10. Chapter 10 by Alysen Blaine

11. Chapter 11 by Alysen Blaine

12. Chapter 12 by Alysen Blaine

13. Chapter 13 by Alysen Blaine

14. Chapter 14 by Alysen Blaine

15. Chapter 15 by Alysen Blaine

16. Chapter 16 by Alysen Blaine

17. Chapter 17 by Alysen Blaine

Chapter 1 by Alysen Blaine
Author's Notes:
Ny first AU story. Hope you enjoy! Thanks to my Beta and to MissM for encouraging me to do this.

Delaney Nixon stepped out of the limousine and looked up at the massive structure in front of her. Two large pillars stood at the entrance of the Chancellor Hotel and its stucco exterior, though built in 1883, looked as though it had always had a fresh coat of paint on it. Palm trees surrounded the circular drive and two bellboys dressed in red pants with matching collared, faux polyester shirts, ran to her with a luggage cart behind them.  It was 90 degrees that day in Islamorada Key and Delaney almost felt sorry for them. A valet outfitted in black shorts and a blue Polo jumped into an empty blue Maserati and drove off to find the nearest empty parking space in the adjoining lot. At least the valets were comfortable. She let the driver load her four bags onto the luggage rack and picked up her leather briefcase and walked into the lobby. The aqua themed space was the first thing that caught her eye and she winced. It was Florida. Hotels here seemed to love aqua and blue and anything that reminded people they were near the ocean. It was nothing like Manhattan, where the interior of the Ritz-Carlton, the hotel that Delaney had last worked for, was more plain but still upscale. The Chancellor looked upscale of course, but in a much different way.

“Welcome to the Chancellor,” a young woman dressed in a pink Lily Pulitzer-type dress and who looked quite eager to please, greeted Delaney almost as soon as she’d stepped inside.

“Hello,” Delaney replied. “I’m Delaney Nixon. I’m here to meet with JC Chasez.”

The young girl nodded with an expectant look on her face. “Yes, ma’am, right this way.” She smiled and led Delaney across the lobby and over to the Concierge Desk. They stopped in front of a man with gingered hair and hazel eyes. He was dressed in a navy suit (Delaney was thankful it wasn’t aqua) and white shirt with a matching tie. His nametag read “Todd.”

“Todd, this is Delaney Nixon. She’s here to see Mr. Chasez,” the girl told Todd.

“Todd Pursell. I’m Head of Concierge. You must be the new Assistant Manager?” He held out his hand and Delaney shook it firmly.

“Yes. Delaney Nixon. Nice to meet you,” Delaney replied, trying to ignore the sting “Assistant Manager” had to it. She’d left the Ritz-Carlton as one of the three Hotel Managers and had taken the job at the Chancellor because it would mean more money and it would get her out of Manhattan. For a big city, lately it had felt to her as though it were closing in around her especially after the divorce was final.

Delaney had always wanted to live in a warmer climate since she’d graduated college and that had been nearly ten years ago now. Moving to New York had seemed like the dream job and instead of staying put in Orlando, she’d gone to Manhattan. In five years, she’d worked her way to Hotel Manager after starting off as a front desk agent at the Marriott Courtyard. From there, she’d gone to the Marriott Marquis and then landed the job at the Ritz-Carlton three years ago, the same year she’d married Cale. She shuddered at that thought. Cale Paxton had been her downfall in so many ways but ultimately he had made her realize she never, ever wanted to get married again and deal with all of the hurt and rejection he’d caused her.

“Thanks, Andrea. Ms. Nixon, you can follow me.” Todd nodded his head towards the opposite end of the hotel, where a large line had formed in front of the front desk. Five agents were busy doing check-ins and Delaney smiled to herself, recalling the days she’d spent behind the desk at the Courtyard.

“How was your flight?” Todd asked as they passed the front desk and went up a set of stairs that led to another level of the hotel. The walls were adorned in professional pictures taken of the Chancellor in recent years as well as black and white portraits of what it looked like in the turn of the 20th century. The Chancellor was regarded as one of the most famous hotels in Florida and in the United States. When Delaney had accepted the job, her boss at the Ritz-Carlton had told her that with that name on her resume, she’d never have to worry about finding work again. “It was fine. It was more the drive from the Miami airport to here that was awful,” Delaney replied. “Traffic was terrible and the driver wasn’t really paying attention.”

“Sorry to hear about that ,” Todd said, turning around to make a face. “I’ll certainly let valet know. They’re the ones who booked the limousine.”

Delaney only shrugged and continued to follow Todd down a long hallway, and yet again up another set of smaller stairs that led to a large door. On the front was a gold plaque with JC Chasez, Hotel Manager written across it in some sort of fancy script. Todd knocked on the door and smiled at Delaney until they heard JC’s voice.

JC was sitting behind his desk when he heard the knock at the door. He sighed and looked at the time. This was when he was supposed to be meeting the new Assistant Manager. He rolled his eyes and muttered a, “Come in” before going back to his iPad and finishing an email to a friend about getting together for drinks that evening. At 37, JC Chasez had been one of the youngest hotel managers at The Chancellor and he took his job extremely seriously. He’d never thought of hotel management back when he’d been a valet at the same hotel as a college student working summers. The summer after graduation, JC had been offered a position as the Head of Valet and Transportation and from there, had worked his way up every few years. He’d held the Hotel Manager position for a total of five years and The Chancellor had seen increased business since he’d taken over it. JC was proud of himself and even though his employees called him a pompous ass behind his back, JC hadn’t relented and kept pushing forward, not really caring who he hurt along the way.

When the door opened, he looked up from his iPad and rested his chin in the palm of his hand. Todd walked in with a woman JC knew to be Delaney Nixon only from pictures and began the introductions.

“Hello, Mr. Chasez. This is Delaney Nixon, the new Assistant Manager. Ms. Nixon, this is JC Chasez.” Todd stepped back and Delaney moved towards the desk.

“Nice to put a name with a face.” Delaney smiled warmly, but was still all business in the process.

“Same,” JC replied and stood to shake her hand, eyeing her warily. She was dressed in a gray pencil skirt with a lime green, short sleeved blouse and black heels. Her hair was brown with a few blonde highlights throughout and it was pulled back into a professional ponytail. JC decided she was pretty and couldn’t help but look at how her breasts fit tight against her shirt. He sat in his chair again as Delaney took a seat across from him. He folded his arms across his chest and regarded her, dismissing Todd before giving his attention to Delaney.

“Welcome to The Chancellor,” JC said to Delaney. “This isn’t New York so don’t treat it as a city hotel. People come here from all over the world to get away from places like New York or Boston. And we want to give them paradise within a weekend or a week or however long they decide to stay.”

Delaney raised an eyebrow at JC. “When did you get any indication from me that I thought otherwise?”

“You New York types seem to think you know better when it comes to your hotels. Every time I’ve stayed at the Ritz, I’ve felt like I was trapped in some stuffy compartment with bad food and snobby service.”

“New York types? I was born in Virginia Beach and went to school in Orlando. I’ve lived in New York for ten years and I’m pretty well versed in how to be a New Yorker, but I know how Florida hotels and resorts operate. I trained at the Peabody in Orlando and did an internship at The Breakers.” Delaney hated sounding like she was defending herself and justifying her career.

She could already tell he was a arrogant son-of-a-bitch and as much as she’d had her fair share of working with and for people like JC Chasez, he seemed to be even more supercilious and egotistical than others. She decided then and there she would give him a run for his money. She’d be damned if he would make her feel inferior or as if her career was nothing compared to his.  

JC raised his eyebrows at her response and smirked. She was one-of-those who felt empowered because she was a single woman at the top of her game. She was playing in a completely different field and he’d make sure she knew that.

“Sure, sure,” he said holding his hands up in surrender and shook his head, then looked at the time. “We have a meeting in ten minutes downstairs. It’s with the managers in the other departments. You can meet everyone and I’ll get you a tour of the place.”

He stood and walked from around the desk and it was only then that Delaney noticed he had piercing blue eyes and was in his own right on the smoldering, sexy side. She ignored any note of physical attraction she felt and waited for him to open the door leading back into the hallway. They walked down the two sets of stairs and back into the lobby. JC walked ahead with a pompous stride in his step and Delaney made sure she didn’t lag far behind him. Before reaching the front desk, JC turned and opened a door on the right and Delaney was led into a set of cubicle offices where several employees were either on the phone or chatting with each other. When they saw JC, the chatter halted and phone conversations were now at a dull whisper.

“Good to see you're hard at work,” JC said snidely to one of the employees who was sitting on the desk of another.

“We were just discussing room rates-“ the employee ventured to say but JC held up his hand and shook his head.

“No need to justify,” JC snapped and walked past him, then turned to Delaney. “It’s always fun to catch them off guard.” Delaney nodded and had to agree with him, though not necessarily agreeing with how he’d done that.

“Early for the meeting, boss?” A man with dark brown hair and matching eyes was leaning against a shelf at the other end of the cubicle area. He had an iPad in his hand and nodded at Delaney. “Who’s this?”

“This is Delaney Nixon, the new assistant manager. Just arrived from New York.” JC put his hand on Delaney’s shoulder. “Delaney, this is Chris Kirkpatrick. He’s the Food and Beverage Manager.”

“In other words, I can get you a good discount on the drinks after hours.” Chris winked at Delaney and she smiled at him. He seemed like a fun guy and perfect for Food and Beverage.

“Give her a tour after the meeting,” JC instructed and pulled out his phone. “Where is everyone?” He barked and looked around the office. “We start in five minutes.”
Delaney looked around and noticed it was still considerably quiet except for the conversation JC and Chris had been having.

“They’ll be here soon, boss,” Chris replied, then looked at Delaney. “So. You’re from New York? Ready to experience summer in February?”

“I’m from Virginia originally,” Delaney corrected him, but smiled. “And I went to school in Orlando so I’m quite aware of Florida weather.”

“And apparently she’s an expert on how hotels run down here, too,” JC remarked with a hint of a snide tone to his voice.

“I never said I was an expert but if you’d like to think that, be my guest,” Delaney countered and folded her arms across her chest almost in mock defiance.

“Ooh, I like her,” Chris winked at Delaney and smiled at JC, who grimaced.

“Chris, go find out what’s taking the other managers so long.” JC let out a sigh and Chris nodded, quickly leaving the office area and going out through the other side, which led out to valet and the circular drive. JC turned and faced Delaney. “I wouldn’t be such a smart ass in front of the other managers, Ms. Nixon. You’re brand new here. Don’t make me regret HR’s decision in bringing you on.”

“Don’t treat me like I don’t know what I’m doing.” Delaney turned and faced him, almost speaking through her teeth. “I don’t back down, Mr. Chasez and I’m certainly not going to back down when someone’s trying to belittle me. I know what I’m doing and just because I’ve not been here for twenty years like you doesn’t mean I don’t know about this hotel and how you want it run.”

JC looked at her in surprise. “How did you know-“

“The article about you in Forbes last month was a good indication,” Delaney interrupted. “And it’s not like The Chancellor isn’t one of the most well-known historical hotels in the world. I did my homework. I know how to do my job and I’d appreciate it if you wouldn’t ruin my first day here.”

JC was about to retort a comment when Chris returned with three employees, other managers Delaney assumed, behind him. One, a woman, was dressed in khaki shorts and a peach Polo with the hotel logo embroidered on the pocket of the shirt. She had blonde hair that was pulled back into a loose bun and smelled of suntan lotion and coconut. Another male wore a black cummerbund and long sleeved white collard shirt. He had a goatee that matched his brown hair and his nametag read “Joey.” And the third was a younger male in a red polo, black pants, and a smile that Delaney immediately found annoying. His nametag read “John.”

“Sorry we’re late,” John immediately said before introductions to Delaney could be made. “Valet was crammed and I couldn’t find any guys to run cars.”

“Just be on time next time,” JC muttered and looked over at Joey. “What’s your excuse?”

“Two bartenders got back late from lunch,” Joey replied and Delaney could tell he was trying not to roll his eyes. JC just nodded and looked at the blonde girl. “You?”

“Spa was backed up. The hotel’s overbooked this whole weekend, Mr. Chasez.” She was calm in her response but nervous. She looked over at Delaney and smiled. “I’m Ashley. Are you Ms. Nixon?”

“I am,” Delaney nodded.

“Nice to meet you.” Ashley’s voice was low and sounded almost as if she were getting over laryngitis, kind of like Scarlett Johansson.  “I’m Ashley and I manage the Spa and Beach outside.”

“Nice to meet you as well.” Delaney leaned over to shake her hand.

“Joey Fatone. Head bartender at Chancey’s Bar in the back of the hotel.” Joey reached out his hand and Delaney shook it, noting the hint of a New York accent.

“What part of New York are you from?” Delaney immediately asked, smiling at him.

“Brooklyn. Been gone for almost twelve years, though. Guess I can’t get rid of it,” he shrugged.

“When did you think you had gotten rid of it?” Chris ribbed at him. “We can still hardly understand you sometimes.”

“Shut up.” Joey impishly pushed him.

“I’m John Corbett.” John moved away from Chris and Joey. “I’m the Valet and Transportation manager.”

“Oh, so you’re the one I talk to about the limo ride?” Delaney questioned.

John gulped and looked from JC back to Delaney. “Oh? Was there a problem?”

“Your guy had no idea where he was going and took the most out of area way to get back here,” Delaney told him. “Just thought you should know for future airport pickups.”

“Oh, I’m so sorry.” John shook his head. “Ms. Nixon, it will be handled immediately.”

“That’s not really the biggest of our problems right now,” JC cut in. “But now that we’ve all met Ms. Nixon, we’ll go ahead and start.” He turned to Chris. “How did the restaurants do last night?”

The Chancellor was home to three different restaurants on the property. A steakhouse, a seafood restaurant that overlooked the ocean, and an upscale Asian fusion restaurant that rivaled Nobu in Miami. And because Islamorada Key was small, many vacationers came to try the different delicacies offered, even if they weren’t staying at the hotel.

“Sold out at Cartrights, had a two hour wait at Miso’s, and an hour wait at Mussels,” Chris looked at his figures on the iPad. “Tonight we’re booked solid for all three.”

JC touched his finger to his lips and nodded, then turned to Joey. “And the bar is prepared for all of this?”

“Yes sir,” Joey answered right away. “We’ve got enough liquor to last the rest of the month.”

“Good, I know where I’m going after work tonight,” Chris put in and he and Joey laughed with each other.

“Anyway.” JC cleared his throat and looked at Ashley. “Spa bookings?”

“We’re a little low tomorrow but there’s check-in’s going on for the rest of the afternoon so I imagine we’d upsell a lot upon arrival,” Ashley answered.

“Where’s Paul?” JC didn’t seem phased by Ashley’s response and looked at Chris, who Delaney noticed, seemed to be JC’s go-to guy.

“Boss, have you seen the lobby? Check-in is crazy right now. Pretty sure he couldn’t get away if he tried,” Chris responded, then turned to Delaney. “Front Desk Manager. Or one of them. He’s been here for a year.”

Delaney nodded and looked at JC ready for him to continue, which he did, but not before letting out an exasperated sigh.

“Ok. I’ll get the figures for check-ins later,” he muttered and turned to John. “And the lots are full?”

“Oh, yes sir.” John’s voice was high-pitched and squeaky, which irritated Delaney even more. “Employees are having to park across the street.” He looked at Delaney. “Which reminds me, we have your rental car at Concierge whenever you’re ready for it.”

“Thank you,” Delaney told him.

“Fine, then,” JC turned and acknowledged his staff. “Chris, you’re taking Delaney on a tour. Get her rental car and all that settled.”

“Did you already find housing?” Ashley asked, as the meeting dispersed and John and Joey immediately left.

“Yes,” Delaney told her. “Ten minute drive. A little bungalow not far from the beach on Sandpiper Drive. I’m staying here tonight, however.”

“I don’t live too far from Sandpiper. We could carpool if we’re working the same shift-“

“You can talk about that later,” JC interjected. “Ms. Nixon, you’ll go with Chris. I need to tend to business in my office. You can come there after the tour and I’ll show you to your office.”

“Fine,” Delaney replied and looked at Ashley. “We can definitely discuss that later.”

Ashley smiled and walked out of the office and Delaney turned to Chris, who was waiting with a broad smile on his face.

“Ready, Ms. Nixon?” He asked.

“Yes,” Delaney smiled back and turned to see JC’s back to her, already walking out in the opposite direction.

 

The hotel property was huge and bigger than Delaney had expected. Fifteen floors, most rooms facing the ocean, four restaurants, three bars, an ice cream parlor, a coffee shop, a Gucci store on property, a beach and sundries store, four pools, a gym, a spa, and thirteen cabanas and Delaney had only been on one end of the property.

“This is where Ashley works,” Chris said, as they entered the Spa. Immediately they were greeted by soothing music, smells of the ocean wafted throughout, and several girls dressed just like Ashley in khaki and peach polo shirts. They smiled as Chris walked in and Ashley was waiting at the front desk talking with a guest about different spa packages. Chris and Delaney stood to the side and when the guest left, Chris immediately looked around, went behind the counter and kissed Ashley hard on the mouth. Delaney looked at them in a bit of a shock.

“This is my fiancé,” Chris explained. “Sorry, boss, not acceptable?” He pulled away from Ashley who was blushing.

“Well, maybe not in public.” Delaney looked around, noting that there were a few guests milling about the different product shelves. “But good to know you don’t just kiss random employees.”

“Sorry.” Ashley shook her head and pushed Chris away. It was then that Delaney noticed the diamond adorning her left hand. “We don’t say much in front of Mr. Chasez. He gets irritated.”

“Stop with the ‘Mr. Chasez’ shit,” Chris muttered, then became aware of Delaney again. “Um, I mean. Sorry. Gotta remember there’s two bosses now and you’re one of them.”

“Something you have against Mr. Chasez?” Delaney was immediately intrigued, wondering if everyone felt that way.

“He was JC until five years ago. And one of my best friends.” Chris sighed. “We started here together and he kept getting promoted. I did too, but not like he did. He’s not the same guy he was.”

“You have to be a tough ass to be in our position,” Delaney said. “Just what happens.”

“You don’t seem that bitchy,” Chris retorted.

“Chris!” Ashley hissed at him and Chris shrugged.

“Just being honest.”

Delaney nodded and looked at Chris. “Just don’t cross me,” she said, “and we’ll get along fine.”

 

“Yeah, mama, that’s it,” JC growled into Andrea’s ear. “You like it when I fuck you hard, don’t you?”

Andrea was positioned against JC’s desk as he pumped into her from behind. It was becoming a daily occurrence and Andrea was his new flavor of the month. She was young, not even 22, and when JC had walked through the lobby a few weeks ago, he’d noticed the new lobby greeter and immediately had taken interest. He did this with plenty of female employees, but was the first to insist that there be no relations among managers and employees.

Andrea was clinging as hard as she could to the hard wood beneath her, occasionally scraping her nails against the mahogany. He’d pushed up her skirt, unbuttoned her blouse so that her breasts were exposed and was having his way with her just the way he liked it. She moaned loudly as JC reached around to fondle her breasts and then, without warning, pulled out and turned her around so that he could look down at her.

“JC!” Andrea whimpered.

“What mama? You want me inside you again?” He was teasing her by placing his tip at her entrance before sliding inside. “Yeah, you like that? You’re so fucking wet, Andrea.”

Andrea couldn’t speak, just moaned louder and JC dipped his tongue down to lick at her nipple, before taking it between his teeth and tugging on it. He pumped harder and his iPad, which had been on the end of the desk, fell to the floor. Andrea gasped and turned her head at the noise, but JC grabbed her chin and beckoned her to look at him.
“Don’t worry about that, baby. You just worry about me right now.” He kissed her roughly, then slid his tongue down to her neck and began to suck at it. “You’re a bad girl, Andrea. Fucking your boss. You like being bad, baby?”

“Uh huh,” Andrea groaned and shifted so that she was able to wrap her legs around his waist, bringing him closer to her.

“I know you do,” JC bit her neck and Andrea yelped. “What? You don’t want it rough?”

“Yes, JC, please!” She begged.

“Please what, Andrea?”

“Fuck me!”

“That’s what I’m doing, baby. I’m fucking you hard.”

 

Delaney and Chris left the Spa and headed back into the hotel. Chris checked his watch. “Crap, I need to go check on Room Service. Think you can find your way back to the boss’ office?”

“Yes,” Delaney replied. “Thanks for the tour, Chris.”

Chris nodded and smiled at her. “Sure. See you around.” He disappeared around the corner and Delaney continued walking through the lobby towards the stairs that led to the private offices. It was only then that she realized she was exhausted and was thankful that the day was coming to an end. Even if she’d be in a hotel room tonight, at least she knew it was going to be a nice hotel room and tomorrow she would be unpacking in her new home. As she made her way up the second set of stairs, she saw the young girl she’d seen upon arriving in the lobby that day exiting from JC’s office. Her hair was mussed, her blouse looked as though it hadn’t seen an iron, and she was pulling down her skirt. JC stood at the entrance of his office and smirked at the girl as she passed by Delaney. Delaney met his stare and saw that his clothes were equally just as wrinkled and messy and his hair was sticking out in a thousand different directions.

She wasn’t surprised. It was the norm at most hotels for sleazy managers to sleep with the employees. But it didn’t stop her from being disgusted. Especially since that girl hadn’t looked much older than 18 or 19.

“Nice tour?” JC asked, as he opened the door and Delaney stepped inside. He didn’t even try to hide the fact that his desk had been used for the tryst. It was a disaster.

“Uh huh,” Delaney sat down in the chair across from his desk. “Nice fuck?”

“Very funny,” JC glowered at her. “My time, my business.”

“Not really," Delaney countered. “Not when you make it so obvious.”

“You really think you’re a smart ass, don’t you?” JC began to clean up the mess off of his desk. “Remember, you’re new, honey. I can still fire you before you get too settled in.”

“And I can report you to child services,” Delaney leaned forward and rested her hand in her chin.

“She’s of age,” JC muttered.

“Barely.”

“I think we’re done here. It’s five o’clock and you technically don’t start til Monday. So why don’t you go to your room and get some sleep. Maybe you won’t be as bitchy come Monday morning.”

Delaney rose slowly from the chair. “I want to get along with you,” she told him. “But you don’t make it easy. I’m at the top of the top in this business and you know it. We’ve both won the award for Hospitality Management in each of our hotels. So I if you want us to have this kind of working relationship, then that’s fine. But don’t expect me to back down or cower from you. I can be just as much of an ass as you can.”

With that, Delaney smoothed out her skirt and marched out of his office, JC watching in a bit of a shock as she left.

End Notes:
Reviews are always appreciated.
Chapter 2 by Alysen Blaine
Author's Notes:
Thanks for the love and reviews. Keep them coming. Once more thanks to my Beta & MissM for all of their help.

Delaney tied her shoelace and stood from the pavement stretching her arms above her head. The ocean gleamed in front of her like a sea of glass painted against the sun that rose behind it. She liked early mornings and working in the hotel industry hadn’t given her much of a choice either way. She bent down to stretch her legs and touched her feet, then slowly rose again and started to jog in place. Her iPod was playing Coldplay’s Mylo Xyloto, perfect for a nice morning jog on the beach.

Living this close to it was going to be entirely different than the apartment in the Village she’d shared with Cale. Waking up to this view was worlds away from the sound of heels on the pavement, horns honking, and vendors yelling in different languages at each other. Islamorada was quiet in the morning and Delaney already liked it better.

She started her jog and went north on the beach running past condos and old motels. The air was cool but she was still warm even with the shorts and runner’s tank she wore. She picked up her pace and her jog turned into a run and Delaney smiled when the ocean breeze blew across her face and into her hair. There was something about running on the beach that always made her happier and how could it not? She wasn’t dodging half a dozen other joggers like she would be doing in Central Park at this time and she wasn’t tripping over women with strollers who were sitting out on a park bench. It was just her, the beach, and her thoughts.

Delaney had tried to push the previous day’s events out of her mind. She had left the hotel right at five and not said anything else to JC since he’d showed her to her office. It was down the hall from his, a little smaller, and faced the side of the hotel. If she turned her head slightly to the right looking out the picture window, she could glimpse the ocean. It was much bigger than her New York office and not far from Food and Beverage, which made her somewhat relieved to know that Chris wouldn’t be far. Out of everyone she’d been introduced to, Chris, Ashley and Joey seemed to stick out the most in her mind. They’d been the most welcoming, that was for sure.

Delaney checked her time a few minutes later and was surprised to see she’d already run two miles. It was too bad she couldn’t stick it to Cale in this instance, especially since he’d always ragged her for being a slow runner. Instead, Delaney silently congratulated herself and turned around to run back to where she’d started. As she looked up from switching songs on her iPod, she saw The Chancellor gleaming ahead in the distance. Its two ocean towers were hard to miss among the shorter, more contemporary condominiums. She stood for a minute and looked at it, still hardly believing that that was her place of employment now. Despite the interactions with JC, Delaney was excited to be there. She looked at it for a second longer, then turned around and started the trek back towards her street.

 

JC wandered through the lobby late Sunday morning and gave a charming smile to the guests he encountered. He asked them how their stay was, told them the usual spiel about how he was happy they had chosen The Chancellor for their stay, and said he would be happy to accommodate them with anything they needed. He spotted Andrea standing at the entrance of the lobby and bypassed her as quickly as he could. He might be ready for another go later that day, but not right now, and if she saw him she’d for certain run up to him as nonchalantly as she could. He’d warned her that she couldn’t do that before but it hadn’t stopped her earlier. JC glanced over at her and shook his head. He’d have to speak to her again about that. Feeling himself tighten just from looking at her rear, he decided he’d wait until after he brought her up to the office that day, should he decide to do so.

“Good morning, Mr. Chasez.” Todd was standing behind the Concierge Desk as JC walked past him.

“Good morning, Todd.” JC nodded at him and looked at the three other concierges who were either on the phone or speaking with a guest. “How’s today looking for you?”

“We’ve made several reservations at Cartwrights,” Todd said. “Almost ran out of cabanas earlier but someone canceled.”

JC rested his arm against the desk and was just about to ask Todd another question when he heard Andrea’s voice behind him.

“Sorry, Mr. Chasez. Sorry, Todd. Just wanted to let you know that Valet wanted you to call them when Mr. Shively’s car is ready to be pulled around. They said he’d call downstairs and for you to call the Valet desk.” Andrea was doing her best not to look at JC and focused all of her attention on Todd.

“Thank you, Andrea,” Todd replied. “I’ll make sure to let the others know.”

“No problem.” Andrea looked at JC out of the corner of her eye and he knew she was hoping he’d give her indication that he noticed her. JC kept his focus on the Concierge desk and ignored her glances. In a few seconds she had turned to go back to her spot at the front of the lobby.

“I won’t keep you. Gonna go check on the guests at the pool.” JC left the Concierge and headed for the corridor leading outside to the pool and spa area. He looked back at Andrea who was now speaking with a few guests that had just arrived and continued his trek outside. He’d get back with her later.

 

“Chris, you gotta go back to your office!” Ashley heaved a sigh of frustration at her fiancé who was goofing off with Heather and Sarah, two of the massage therapists. Although she’d enjoyed him coming to visit her at work, she knew that if JC were to walk in and catch him like this there wouldn’t be time for an explanation. JC was always popping in and out unexpectedly. Ashley had worked for other spas around the area but none of the managers had been like JC. He was very careful to make sure the hotel always maintained their five star rating and that included a well-managed spa. However, the way that he would sneak in and out was almost irritating. It was as though he wanted to catch someone failing so he could humiliate them. Ashley hoped that Delaney Nixon would be different. It seemed from their meeting the day before that she might be just what the hotel needed to balance JC’s overbearing managerial habits.

“Oh, Ash, it’s Sunday! You know he hardly ever comes in till the afternoon.” In his attempt at being funny, Chris had squirted lotion on his hand and before Ashley could say anything else, he’d wiped it on her arm.

“Chris!” Ashley groaned and rolled her eyes. She wiped her arm off on a hand towel that hung near the register. “He’s here. I saw his car when I came in this morning.”

“He’s not going to get mad he’s-“

“Good morning, Chris.”

Chris stopped mid-sentence when he heard JC’s voice behind him. He turned around slowly and an awkward smile formed across his lips.

“Hey. Hey, JC. Josh. Uh, Mr. Chasez.” Chris cleared his throat and wiped the rest of the lotion off on his pant leg. “I was just um, coming to see if things were going well in the spa.”

JC gave him a disbelieving look and stepped closer to him. “Were you? I’m pretty sure that’s my job.”

“Yeah, boss, it is. I was-“

“You see your girlfriend on your own time, not the clock. Got it?” JC was almost nose- to- nose with him and it took everything in Chris’ might not to haul off and punch him in the face.

“Got it.”

JC looked over at Ashley. “I expect things here are still going fine even with the distraction?”

Ashley nodded and her mouth felt dry as it always did when JC addressed her. She barely got out a, “Yes they are.”

“Good.” JC glared at Chris before he walked out of the spa and turned to go towards the lap pool.

“I’ll see you at lunch, Ash.” Chris waved to Ashley, waiting a few seconds in order not to run into JC when he walked back outside. He looked towards the lap pool and saw JC speaking with a lifeguard. Chris was filled with loathing for his former friend. He’d started as a valet with JC and they’d worked their way up the managerial ladder together. JC had sworn that if his dream of being hotel manager was ever realized, he’d make Chris the assistant manager. It had been five years and in those five years, JC had become a completely different person. Chris remembered what Delaney said to him the day before about how they had to be tough in order to be in the positions they were in. He disagreed. And he missed the old JC.

 

JC sat in his office chair and toyed with his phone, debating on whether or not to call for Andrea or not. It was after lunch and he knew from her schedule that she’d be leaving in an hour. He smirked to himself at how it would drive her crazy if he didn’t end up calling her up to him. It wasn’t as if he couldn’t get sex elsewhere. There was a cute little thing in the coffee shop that he’d started flirting with and he was pretty sure she’d had her fair share of men –and possibly women judging from something she’d said earlier- so it would be easy for him to make a phone call. But he wasn’t finished with Andrea just yet and decided to give her a few more chances before moving onto someone new.

He picked up his phone and dialed the extension to the Concierge.

“Todd speaking.”

“Todd, can you have Andrea come up to my office? I need to give her some information on some guests checking in in a few days.”

“Absolutely, Mr. Chasez.”

JC hung up and removed his tie, then leaned back in his office chair and looked out of the picture window that faced the ocean. He reached for the remote control that lowered the blinds on the window and waited for the familiar, timid knock that Andrea gave when she came to him. If anything, he was helping the girl’s self-esteem. She was drop dead gorgeous but had moved to Islamorada right after graduating from a small college in South Carolina. She clearly had not had much experience dating and for some reason, JC found that to be a turn on. She liked it rough and she did whatever he asked her to do.

The knock came a few minutes later.

“Come in.”

The door opened and Andrea timidly walked in, closing the door behind her.

“Lock it.” JC ordered her and Andrea smiled at him before turning the knob firmly until it clicked. He stood from his chair and walked over to her. He reached for her breast and grabbed it firmly with his right hand, his thumb circling her nipple over the fabric of her uniform.

“Andrea,” he began and continued to rub her breast. “You can’t keep looking at me and making it obvious that you want me when you’re in the lobby.”

“I didn’t, I-“ Andrea tried to protest but JC shut her up with a firm kiss on the mouth and felt her melt into him.

“Yes, you did, Andrea.” He pulled away from her and began to back her into the corner of his office until he had her pressed against the wall. “Take off your dress, Andrea.” JC stood back and Andrea reached behind her and tugged at the zipper of her dress until it began to move enough that she could slide it down to the end of the clasp. She moved her arms forward so that her dress fell off and she stood in front of JC in nothing but a white bra and matching thongs. He’d told her to always wear a thong to work and she had listened today.

“Now take your bra off.”

Andrea again obeyed and JC folded his arms across his chest and smirked at her.

“Touch yourself.”

He sat down in his loveseat and unbuckled his pants, pulling them down to his ankles, his erection hard, firm, and glistening through the opening of his boxer briefs. Andrea began to tug at her nipples with both of her hands and then to his surprise, she walked her fingers down her stomach and to her center. To his delight, she began to rub her clit over her panties at the same time. She moaned and continued to please herself while JC watched and could barely take it anymore.

“Come over here, baby. Let’s finish this the right way. Get on my lap and fuck me.”

 

“Dude, I’m telling you, he’s sleeping with that new chick up front!” Joey was telling Todd late that afternoon. They’d both taken a lunch together and were down in the employee cafeteria.

“No way. Mr. Chasez’s not like that.” Todd shook his head vehemently and went back to his sandwich, then looked up at the television. “Ugh. Lebron James is the worst.”

Joey looked at him as though he were crazy. “I thought you loved the Heat?”

“I can love them but not love James.” Todd grumbled and took a handful of chips shoving them in his mouth.

“Anyway, you’re an idiot. Chasez’s a huge player. You know he was fucking some chick who used to work the Front Desk about two months ago.” Joey was holding his meatball sub in both hands and watched as a meatball slid out of the bread and onto his plate. “Dammit.” He sighed and picked it up between his thumb and forefinger, shoving it into his mouth.

“How do you know all of this?” Todd asked him. “You always hear shit before any of the rest of us.”

“I’m the head bartender. Do you know how much shit people spill when they’re drunk?” Joey shook his head. “This chick, the front desk girl, spilled to Ashley and Ashley told Chris.”

“Ok, fine. But how do you know about Andrea?” Todd wanted to know.

“You can tell. He looks at her like he wants to fuck her-“

“That doesn’t mean he is.” Todd shook his head and gulped down his bottle of water, then stood to his feet. “And besides, I’m pretty sure Andrea’s into me.”

Joey snorted and rolled his eyes. “Just because she comes over to your desk to let you know about important guests or ask you something means nothing. I’m telling you, she’s fucking the boss.”

“Well, until I see it for myself I don’t believe you.” But Todd’s expression told Joey everything he needed to know. It was that of confusion and doubt and Joey knew he had to believe something was up. “Although…” Todd trailed off and looked at Joey. “He does call for her a lot.”
“Because they’re fucking, man!”

Todd shrugged. “Maybe. I don’t know. I didn’t think Andrea would be that dumb.”

Joey looked at Todd’s face and felt sorry for him. Obviously, Todd had developed feelings for this girl and Joey felt bad for continuing to tell him she was sexing with the boss. He’d only done it to see if Todd knew anything but hadn’t stopped when Todd hadn’t had a clue.

“Look, I could be wrong. Just…just watch them, okay? You know enough about the hotel biz that things like this go down all the time.” Joey stood up and grabbed his tray, following Todd to the garbage cans.

 

Delaney had decided to go to the hotel late that afternoon to set up her office. It would be better than waiting until the following day when she might not step foot into it due to the meetings she had. There were two with Room Service that she had to attend, the general afternoon meeting with all of the managers to go over details for that afternoon, and then she and JC had to have a meeting with the Front Desk managers about late check-outs, which were apparently becoming a problem from the memo she’d received on her phone earlier that morning. That was the thing about the hotel industry – she would consistently always get memos even on the weekends.

She came through the back entrance and was just getting on the elevator when she spotted Joey and Todd coming back from the employee cafeteria. They looked like they were in a serious discussion and when they looked up and saw Delaney, their conversation stopped and they both smiled at her as they stepped on the elevator.

“Hello, Ms. Nixon.” Todd greeted her in his most professional voice and Delaney saw Joey subtly roll his eyes. “Are you just getting in?”

Delaney shook her head. “No, I’m off the clock today. Just coming in to set up my office and get ready for tomorrow.”

“Well, the hotel is almost at full capacity and-“ Todd had started to ramble and Delaney held up a hand to stop him.

“Todd, I’m off the clock. It’s okay. You don’t have to talk shop with me right now.” She turned to Joey. “So, what’s your specialty at the bar?”

“I’m good at all of it.” Joey grinned at her. “But I’m told I make a mean Pina Colada.”

“Great. I’ll be up later to try one,” Delaney told him as the doors opened on her floor. “See you guys later.”

She stepped off the elevator and walked down the hall to her office. There were only a few boxes left to be unpacked and she hoped to do that within the hour, then go take advantage of Happy Hour at Chancey’s. As she was unlocking the door, she turned to see Andrea descending down the steps that led to JC’s office. Her face was flushed and Delaney could see that she was clearly upset. She shook her head and walked into her office. No sense in getting involved in office drama. If that girl was stupid enough to do that with the boss, then she deserved whatever she got. It was a cruel way of thinking and one that Delaney probably wouldn’t have thought before going to work in the hotel world, but she’d seen it far too much to even care anymore.

 

JC zipped up his pants and sniffed his fingers, the scent of Andrea still lingering. He’d had her twice in one day, even convincing her to stay for a second shift just so he could get her again. She wasn’t the best at blowjobs but he’d eventually gotten his need met that second time and sent her on her way. She’d seemed quieter this time but he hadn’t paid it too much attention because all he’d cared about was getting into her once more before shutting everything down. He sighed and hit the remote to open the blinds again, turned off his laptop and gathered his things together. As he walked down the stairs to the hallway, he looked down towards Delaney’s office. It had been a welcomed relief not to have her around that day. In fact, he wondered why he’d decided to hire her at all when he knew he could do this job in his sleep.

He headed towards the lobby and nodded briefly at the front desk agents as he passed the desk, then looked over at Concierge where Todd was instructing a new employee on the computer. Guests were wandering about the lobby, some in bathing suit covers and others in resort attire. They all knew who he was and he gave the most professional of greetings when he passed them. He was a schmoozer and damn good at it.

 

“Okay, I’d like to try this Pina Colada that you’re famous for.” Delaney was sitting at the bar at Chancey’s, which was decorated in a nautical motif. The bar was marble like everything else in the hotel but had little pieces of shell poking in and out of it. Delaney was surprised she was able to find a seat at all with how crowded it was but luckily had spotted the seat almost as soon as it had become available.

“You got it, Ms. Nixon.” Joey tipped his head at her and went over to the blender. In less than a minute, she was sipping on one of the best cocktails she’d ever had.

“Well?” Joey stood back, wiping off a beer mug.

“Wonderful.” Delaney smiled at him. “And I’m not just saying that, either. What’s your secret?”

“My wife grew up in the Bahamas,” Joey said. “When we were dating and I had just started out in bartending, her dad showed me how they do it on the island. It’s the main reason I got the job here as Head Bartender. I had to show them just how creative I could be. The secret is that there’s a hint of vanilla rum. Just a hint, not a lot of it. But it changes the entire taste.”

“You’re right.” Delaney had to agree with him, though she knew nothing about mixing drinks. “This is the best Pina Colada I’ve ever had.”

“I’ll be sure to tell my father-in-law. He’ll be pretty impressed that my boss likes it.” Joey went back to work and took another order from the next guest. Delaney sipped slowly on her drink and looked over her shoulder to see Chris and Ashley not far from where she was sitting. They were involved in what looked to be a pretty intimate conversation. Every so often, Chris would reach over and stroke Ashley’s cheek and Ashley would rest her hand on top of his. They were quite in love and Delaney envied them. Chris was not the type to compete with Ashley like Cale had competed with Delaney. It was obvious just by looking at them. Cale never wanted anything good for Delaney and even though she’d already started with the manager position at the Ritz when they’d married, he was always trying to talk her out of staying. He’d pretended that he was fine with the position he held at the bank, but ultimately Delaney made more money and it drove Cale mad with jealousy.

“Want another one?” Joey interrupted Delaney’s thoughts and she looked down to see that she’d downed the drink in a matter of minutes. She knew if she had another it would be difficult to drive the short distance it took to get to her house.

“Huh? Oh, no thanks.” Delaney quickly stood from the chair and gave Joey her card.

“No way, Ms. Nixon. It’s on the house.” Joey assured her and handed her card back to her. “Compliments of my father-in-law I’m sure once I tell him.”

Delaney shrugged and gave Joey a small smile. “Fine. Thank him for me.” She grabbed her purse and waved to him as she left the bar.

It was too bad everyday at The Chancellor wasn’t filled with Joey’s specialty drinks. Although judging from how yesterday had gone, Delaney figured she’d probably be a fixture at the bar if she and JC continued to butt heads.

Chapter 3 by Alysen Blaine
Author's Notes:
Drama, drama, drama....

She was going to be cordial and polite. If anything, this was the one thing Delaney kept telling herself as she pulled into the parking space marked for the Assistant Manager. She sat in the car for a few more seconds, collected her thoughts, and opened the door. JC’s parking space was right next to hers and his brand new Mercedes convertible was so shiny it was almost gleaming in the sunlight. She locked the door to the car and followed the path to the sidewalk that led her to the back entrance of the hotel.

“Hi, Ms. Nixon.”

Delaney turned to see Ashley walking behind her. She smiled at her and stopped as Ashley caught up to her.

“Hi, Ashley. And it’s okay to call me Delaney.” Delaney tried to be assuring in her tone but Ashley shook her head.

“No, Mr. Chasez insists we call all hotel managers by their last name. It garners respect or so he says.” Ashley told her this trying her best not to roll her eyes and Delaney could tell she was trying to keep a straight face.

“Well, I’m not Mr. Chasez. You can call me Delaney, at least off the clock.” Delaney opened the door that led to the back of the hotel. She waited while Ashley clocked in and then they took the elevator up to the lobby.

“I’ll see you later Ms-I mean, Delaney.” Ashley smiled as she walked in the opposite direction of Delaney towards the Spa at the opposite end of the lobby. Delaney turned towards the stairs that led to the corridor of her office. Just as she went to unlock the door she looked up to see JC standing at the other end of the hallway coming towards her.

“Good morning.” Delaney did her best to be polite and smiled at him.

“We have a meeting in fifteen minutes,” said JC, his response less than welcoming or inviting.

“I’m aware.” Delaney opened the door to her office and stepped inside, greeted by a large flower arrangement on her desk. She went over to it and took the card from between a white rose and a red rose.

Welcome to The Chancellor. We look forward to working with you. Regards, Human Resources.

“That’s sweet,” Delaney said to herself and looked up to see JC now standing in the doorway of her office. “Did you need to tell me anything else?”

“Just seeing what you did with the place.” He looked around the office and saw a few pictures of Delaney and who he assumed to be her family. She had her college diploma on the wall above her desk and the Hospitality Management award framed next to it.

“When did you win that?” JC walked closer to her desk and peered at the award. “2011, huh? I got mine my first year here as manager.”

“So 2009?” Delaney asked him, knowing the answer already.  

“Uh huh. How did you know?” He rested his palm on the edge of her desk as Delaney sat down and put her purse in the bottom desk drawer.

“I did my homework before I came here. I told you that.” Delaney shrugged. “And I also won the award my first year at the Ritz, in case we’re comparing notes.” She was trying to be funny but JC didn’t take it as such and pulled a face at her.

“No comparison needed, honey. I know I’m quite good at what I do.” He turned and began to walk to the door. “Don’t be late for your first meeting. See you in a few minutes.” He barely acknowledged her as he left and Delaney, thinking that they were possibly making headway, clasped her hands together and groaned into them. She would not let him do this again and ruin her first day on the new job.

 

Before the first meeting, JC ventured down to The Cup, the coffee shop on property. He was curious to see if the girl he’d seen a few days before behind the counter was working that morning. Opening the door, he spotted her fixing a cup of coffee for a guest and chatting with the other barista. He watched her for a few seconds. She had long black hair that cascaded past her shoulders and an olive complexion. The black button down she wore as part of her uniform was unbuttoned just enough so that he could look at her cleavage. He noticed her breasts were full and big, peeking out just enough for him to gaze upon them. Once the guest had gotten his coffee and left the counter, JC made his way over and rested his elbow on the bar, his chin in his hand.

“Good morning.” He greeted her and she turned around, surprised but then giving him a sexy smirk.

“Good morning, Mr. Chasez.” She walked to the edge of the counter where he stood. “What can I get you this morning?”

JC looked at her right in the eyes and he could already tell she knew what he was there for.

“What’s your specialty?”

She bit on her lower lip and laughed softly. “Hot and steamy…” she started off and paused and JC chuckled when she finished with, “coffee.” He looked at her nametag. Morgan.

“Well, Morgan, I think I’ll take some of that.” He leaned forward and brushed his hand against hers. “And how about you bring that hot and steamy specialty up to my office around eleven?”

Morgan gasped and did her best to compose herself, then nodded. “Okay. Eleven. Do you take cream and sugar?”

JC felt as though he were in a bad porn. That line could be used in so many different ways it wasn’t even funny.

“Just come up to the office at eleven. We’ll handle it from there.” He turned and left the coffee shop, checking his watch as he walked back through the lobby. It was nearing nine o’clock and he was going to get to the meeting just in time but it didn’t matter. He was already looking forward to eleven.

He spotted Andrea at her usual post at the front of the entrance and walked around one of the columns in the lobby to avoid her. He still wanted her around but Morgan was easily going to take her place, no question.

 

Ashley had heard the entire exchange between JC and Morgan. She’d been hidden by the magazine rack and suntan lotion on the other end of the coffee shop and had been far enough to not be seen, but close enough to hear everything. Going to the counter, she pulled out her Chancellor card to receive the employee discount and paid for a latte. She said nothing to Morgan but watched her blush and look at the path that JC had just walked to get back to the lobby. It disgusted Ashley to think of just how many women JC had lured into his office.

As she walked out of the coffee shop and back towards the spa, she felt her phone buzzing in her pocket. She pulled it out and smiled when she saw it was Chris texting her a smile and asking if she could take a lunch break at one when he took his. For a minute, Ashley forgot about the sleaze she had just encountered and went back to the spa.

 

“The new menu for Room Service is going to include specialties from Cartwrights, Miso’s, and Mussels,” said Chris as he passed out the new Room Service menus at the meeting. “We don’t want it to just be club sandwiches or hamburgers. People come to The Chancellor for a whole new experience so why not make the Room Service menu just as nice as any other menu but keep prices lower?”

JC flipped through the four pages of the Room Service menu and looked up at Chris, regarding him as though he were a flea. “That’s all well and good but if people see they’re paying $20 for a shrimp and crab salad and then see that they only have to pay $15 for Room Service, they’ll easily stay in and get the cheaper option.”

“That’s not necessarily true.” Delaney spoke up and looked from Chris to JC. “People who come to this type of hotel want to go out to dinner. They have the money to spend $20 on a salad and five bucks isn’t going to make that much of a difference.”

She could tell immediately she’d hit a nerve with JC. He grimaced and cleared his throat.

“So would Room Service be going back and forth to the restaurants and getting the orders?” JC asked Chris.

“No. We’d get the recipes from the chefs at each restaurant and prepare them in the kitchen in Room Service.” Chris answered and looked at both JC and Delaney waiting for their response.

“Would they be as good as the chef’s original recipe?” JC leaned back in his chair and folded his hands behind his head. He swiveled back and forth and looked at Chris, a look of disbelief on his face.

Chris didn’t say anything at first, only let out air slowly through his nose. He looked down at the table and then back at JC. “There’s only one way to find out.”

“Good. Then the chef should get on it. I leave at six today. I’ll expect to have tasted a few items from each menu before then. Then we’ll decide if this so-called idea of yours works.” JC looked at Delaney. “Do you have anything to add?” He figured it would be a rhetorical question and Delaney would shake her head ‘no’ and that would be it.

“Actually, I do,” Delaney said and laced her fingers together. She rested them on the table and looked at Chris. “I don’t think it’s necessary for you have the chef go through all that trouble.  Maybe he could just do one of the menu items or just create a small sample.” She could feel JC glaring at her but continued. “Making all of those dishes would take away from Room Service and there are supposed to be showers in the afternoon. I can guarantee that means a few people are going to stay in and order lunch.”

“While Ms. Nixon thinks that she’s had the final say here, I’m going back to my decision-“ JC started but was quickly interrupted.

“JC, you can’t expect the kitchen staff in Room Service to drop everything and start making full meals of dishes you’re not even going to finish.” Delaney had tried her best to remain calm and even-keeled but even she could detect the impatient tone her voice carried.

“Then perhaps Chris needs to just stick with the old Room Service menu and be done with it.” JC saw Chris looking at him and Delaney as if he were watching a tennis match.

“Well, then this meeting was a waste of everyone’s time.” Delaney sighed, not hiding at all the exasperation that had built up. “You wanted new items on the menu, Chris is giving you a reasonable suggestion and-“

“Step outside with me, Ms. Nixon.” JC abruptly stood to his feet and before Delaney could answer him, had already made his way to the door of the tiny office room they were using as a meeting space.

Delaney stepped into the hallway and JC immediately began to lay into her.

“I don’t know who the hell you think you are but you’d better go back in there and show some support for me. This wasn’t meant to be up for discussion. I’m the general manager of this hotel and you are the assistant. Assistant. So you can try and call the shots but I’ll be damned if you try to overstep my authority!”

“I’m not trying to overstep anything. But this meeting was called because you said yourself that the Room Service menu needed to be updated and revamped. That’s what Chris is trying to do and you’ve shot down every idea he’s had today. And as for you making the chef create all of those meals for you? That’s a waste of time and food and money. If you go back in there and tell them that you want the menu to stay the same then you’re going to make a lot of employees irritated.” Delaney stepped back and waited for him to reply.

JC looked down at her and his blue eyes looked as though they would shoot icy crystal daggers at her. She had to admit they were captivating but she was beyond looking at him as anything other than an asshole at this point.

“Then I guess I’ll have to risk it, won’t I?” JC snapped and turned on his heel to head back into the meeting. Delaney wished she had something to throw at the back of his head. She collected herself and walked in behind him.

“Ms. Nixon and I have decided it best to forego the new menu idea and just stick with what we have,” JC said and Delaney immediately tried to say something but he continued. “Thank you for your time.”

“So that’s it?” Chris asked, still remaining seated and looking at JC in disbelief. “You asked me to create a new menu and after an hour long meeting this is your decision?”

“Yes.” JC answered the question as though Chris had asked him if the sun rose and set everyday.

“That’s bullshit.” Chris muttered this under his breath and slowly rose to stand.

“Excuse me?” JC snapped and waited at the door.

“Nothing.” Chris shook his head and JC eyed him before walking out of the room.

Chris looked at Delaney. “What did you have against this idea?”

“Absolutely nothing. But apparently the general manager and the assistant are not allowed to disagree.” She was oozing with sarcasm but she didn’t care. “It’s his loss. It was a great idea and I think we should bring this back to the table in a few weeks.”

“Thanks. Though I still don’t know why he continually shoots down every single idea I throw at him.” Chris followed Delaney out into the hall and they began to walk back to their offices. “I don’t even know why I bother to have meetings with him since nothing ever changes.”

Delaney knew that JC had to be jealous of Chris in some way or form. She wondered if Chris had done something to JC unbeknownst to him back when they’d first started out. Maybe it was a fight over a girl or something. She shrugged the thought off and looked at Chris.

“I wouldn’t worry about it. You were made the Food and Beverage manager for a reason.” She was trying to be positive but Chris still had a doubtful expression on his face.

“Yeah, well, he was made the General Manager over the whole damn place. So he did something better.” Chris sighed and went into his office, leaving Delaney out in the hallway alone. She didn’t even hesitate as she began to walk towards JC’s office and did her best to keep her calm as she marched up the stairs and rapped her knuckle against his door.

“Come in.”

Delaney opened the door and saw JC starting out of his office window out at the beach. He turned around and made a face.

“Can I help you, Ms. Nixon?” He asked with a bored tone in his voice.

“Do you have something against Chris, JC? And also, you can call me Delaney. I find you calling me ‘Ms. Nixon’ to be degrading.” She crossed to his desk and placed her hands on the edge, leaning her weight onto it.

“Find it however you want to find it. I was taught to be a professional.”

“Oh? And did they also teach you how to be an ass? Because you’re really good at that, too.” Delaney snapped and JC went to reply but she didn’t give him the chance. “I am not going to come into work and be faced with opposition from you everyday. You may think this place only exists to run because of you but it takes several people, a surplus of many teams, and a lot of decisions. You’re running it like a dictatorship and it may have worked in the last few years but you have to bend at some point.”

“This hotel has seen a gross net of over fifty million dollars this year alone. Our stock is higher than it’s ever been and we’re in the midst of plans to add on a new wing. So don’t you stand there and tell me I don’t know how to run this place!” JC raised his voice it only urged Delaney further.

“I never said you didn’t know how. I said that you run it like a dictatorship and if you know anything about history, you know that dictatorships ultimately fail. Five years is one thing but can it last another five with you acting like you do?” Delaney felt her heart beat fast against her chest and knew she’d never felt as agitated as she did right then and there. She knew she was making great points but they were falling on deaf ears.

At that minute there was a knock at the door. JC issued a “come in” and Delaney turned around to see a female employee from The Cup standing there with a cup of coffee in her hand. She looked a little taken aback to see Delaney and tried to play nonchalant. Delaney knew why the girl was there in the first place and was even more disgusted at JC.

“Is that all?” JC glared at Delaney.

“I guess it has to be, doesn’t it?” Delaney sighed and it was only then that she felt she’d clenched her fists together tightly throughout the whole exchange. She turned and walked past the girl standing in the door and headed back to her office.

 

“Did I interrupt?” Morgan asked JC as she stepped into his office.

“You came just in time.” JC walked over to her, reached around and shut his door. He locked it and then brushed up against her, taking the coffee out of her hand. “We won’t need this.”

“I know.” Morgan reached behind her and took her hair out of the ponytail it had been in. “But I had to have a reason to get up here. You can’t just tell someone you’re going up to fuck the boss can you?”

“Oh? And how do you know we’re going to fuck?” JC had her pressed against the wall.

“Just a hunch.” Morgan began to unbutton her blouse but JC put his hand on top of hers.

“Let me. I’ve been thinking about your breasts since I saw you earlier today.” His fingers skillfully undid each button until he was able to slide the shirt off of her shoulders. He stood back and admired her full breasts, taut and tight against the lacy material of her bra. “Now, Morgan, there are a few ground rules you should know about.” He reached out to cup each of her breasts in his hands and kneaded them as he spoke. “This is just sex, okay? Nothing more, nothing less. If you start thinking otherwise-“

“Let me put your mind at ease.” Morgan’s voice was breathy and low. “I don’t want anything more. To be honest, I’ve wanted to fuck you since I first started this job. I think you’re just about the sexiest boss I’ve ever had.”

“Perfect. Then we’ll get along great.” JC started to undress and pulled her with him over to his desk.

 

Andrea looked wistfully at the large clock over the Front Desk. It was already past eleven and she hadn’t seen him at all that morning. She reminded herself that it wasn’t everyday that they got together but after yesterday and being with him twice like she’d been, she was expecting him to come find her sooner. She knew she was in over her head and that she should’ve remembered what he’d told her after their first encounter. It was just sex. He didn’t want a relationship with her. Unfortunately, Andrea had fallen and she had fallen hard for JC. She couldn’t help it.

“Hi, Andrea.”

Andrea shook herself from her thoughts and looked up to see Todd standing next to her.

“Hi, Todd.” She smiled at him and was grateful that he’d distracted her. She liked Todd. He was always nice to her and had helped her out many times in her first few weeks at the hotel. It was a large complex and easy to get lost in, not to mention as a lobby greeter, Andrea had to know where everything was located. By now she knew the hotel like the back of her hand but most of that had been because of Todd.

“Have you had lunch yet?”

Andrea shook her head. “No. Morgan was supposed to let me know when she was going but I haven’t seen her.”

“Oh yeah. How’s the roommate situation going with her?” Todd picked up a few fallen leaves off of the large floral display behind Andrea.

Andrea shrugged. “Fine, I guess. She’s not really home and goes out and parties a lot.”

“Not really your thing?” Todd asked, already knowing the answer.

“No. I mean, I don’t mind going out every now and then but she’ll go out till four or five and then come here and work all day. I can’t do that.” Andrea shrugged. “But other than that we get along fine.”

 

Morgan kissed JC once more before rolling off of him. She stood with her feet planted on either side of the floor and looked down at him, smirking. JC hadn’t even made it to his desk before they’d both fallen onto the floor together.

“Thanks.” Morgan walked over to where her panties had fallen in a puddle on the floor by the door. She pulled them on slowly and watched as he sat up and reached for his pants, thrown over the loveseat. “You just let me know when you wanna go again.”

JC stood and walked over to her, cupping her face in his hands and kissing her hard. “Not your first time to do this with your boss, is it?”

Morgan fastened her bra and flung one arm around his neck and took her free hand and began to massage him between his legs. JC’s eyes widened at her gesture.

“My business ethics professor and I fucked for months.” Morgan grinded into him and kissed him, letting her tongue trace his teeth. “Then his wife found out. It wasn’t very fun.”

JC raised an eyebrow, chuckling at the fact that it was a professor who’d taught business ethics of all things. “Well, I guess you’re definitely not a stranger to this, then.”

Morgan shook her head, biting her lower lip. “It’s just sex. I’m not looking for anything and I’m definitely not looking for marriage.”

JC looked down at her hand still moving up and down on his partially hard erection. “You know, if you’re gonna continue that, I might need to sit down and let your mouth finish it off.”

Morgan took her hand away and immediately dropped to her knees. “Or I can just do it right now.”

 

Fifteen minutes later, Morgan left JC’s office and quickly went into the nearest ladies’ room to wash her hands and do her best to clean up. She pulled her hair back into a ponytail and smiled at herself in the mirror. She’d always had a thing for unattainable men, which had been the attraction to her professor in the first place. She also had a knack for knowing exactly how to act around them in order to get in their pants in the first place. JC had almost been too easy but he’d been one of the best she’d ever had, that was for sure.

She headed back into the lobby and saw her roommate, Andrea, talking with Todd and it was then she remembered she had told Andrea they could go to lunch together. She walked up and Andrea, caught her eye, and smiled.

“Hey. Where’d you just come from?” She asked Morgan and Morgan didn’t even flinch.

“I had a special delivery for a coffee.” Morgan looked over at Todd and acknowledged him, nodding her head. “You guys wanna go get some lunch? I’m starving.”

End Notes:
Give me some lovin in the form of feedback if you're reading this, please :)
Chapter 4 by Alysen Blaine
Author's Notes:
Thanks for showing love to this lil diddy ;) 

Chancey’s was bustling and busy as usual that evening after Ashley had gotten off work. When she walked in to meet Chris, she saw Joey’s wife Janelle sitting at the bar and talking with him. The two couples had gone out on a few dates together but Ashley hadn’t really seen much of Janelle since she’d had Aamya, their now two-month-old daughter.

Janelle had been a former model in Miami and was born and raised in Nassau, Bahamas. Her mother was French and her father was full-blooded Bahamian. When she got irritated or upset, she would rail at Joey in French and Joey would look helplessly at her until she realized she was speaking another language. It was a funny sight to see and one that Chris always told Ashley he hoped would happen more often.

“Ashley!” Janelle waved to her as Ashley walked over to them. “Haven’t seen you in weeks. How is life?” Janelle reached out to give Ashley a hug.

“Busy. Wedding plans, work, keeping up with Chris.” Ashley grinned and pulled away. “You look amazing for just having had a baby. How is Aamya?”

“She’s home with my mother. I wanted to come see my husband for a little bit. And I’m not nursing so bottoms up!” Janelle held up a bottle of Corona and sipped it.

“We saved you and Chris a spot at the bar.” Joey pointed out two seats next to Janelle. “Where is his lame ass, anyway?”

“He had a rough day. I thought he’d already be up here, though.” Ashley scanned the bar to see if she’d missed him but all she saw were several hotel guests and a few employees of the hotel.

Chancey’s was the watering hole of the employees where they’d all meet for Happy Hour. With their hotel discount and accessibility-not to mention that Joey made the best drinks on the island-it was the easiest choice for them to come and drink.

“Rough day, huh? What did Chasez do now?” Joey wiped out a beer mug and looked over at another bar tender. “Hey, Stuart, do me a favor? Can you man that side for a few? The wife’s here.”

Stuart, a college-aged coed, nodded his head and began to take the next order from the guest seated in front of him.

“He told Chris to come up with a new Room Service menu and so Chris did and Mr. Chasez didn’t like it. So he basically wasted a lot of time and then had to go to a meeting where Mr. Chasez shot down every single idea. Apparently Delaney was on Chris’ side and told him they’d meet again in a few weeks so he’s got hope that something might come out of the time he put into the menu.” Ashley rested her elbow on the bar and placed her cheek in the palm of her hand. “If Chris didn’t like his job so much, he would’ve quit years ago.”

“Chasez’s just mad cause Chris got you and he didn’t.” Joey shook his head and handed Ashley a menu.

Ashley winced at that memory. Five years ago when she’d come on as the Assistant Spa Manager, JC had just been promoted to General Manager. They’d had to go through the same training and there were several times that JC had come onto her, asked her out to dinner, or insisted on walking her to her car at night. Ashley, though flattered, had declined every advance and instead started talking to Chris, who would break for lunch at the same time as she did. As handsome as JC had been, he was too assertive and Chris had been the humor that she’d needed after coming into a job and position that was so much different than the spa she’d left in Atlanta.

There was already tension between Chris and JC from other issues in their teenage years together, but this had been the icing on the cake. JC used his newfound power to continually make Chris’ life miserable. It had worked except for the fact that Chris wasn’t backing down like JC had thought he would, or so it seemed to Ashley.

“That was five years ago.” Ashley rolled her eyes and looked down at the menu, even though she already knew she’d be ordering a Mojito as always. “If he’s still upset about that he really should go see a professional.”

“Seems to me Chasez is upset about a lot of shit. He’s a miserable son-of-a-bitch if you ask me,” said Joey as he pulled a tall glass from the shelf below him. “Mojito?”

“Yeah. I don’t even know why I look at the menu anymore.” Ashley pushed the menu away and rested her hands on top of each other. “Speaking of Mr. Chasez, he has a new fling.”

“The new lobby chick. I know. It’s so obvious they’re fucking.” Joey looked at Janelle. “He looks at her like a tiger ready to pounce. She’s like, 19 or 20, or not much older than that, and she is all about him. You can tell it every time she sees him.”

Ashley shook her head at Joey. “No. She wasn’t who I was talking about.”

“What? He’s got two?” Joey had started to make the Mojito and held a cube of ice in midair with a pair of plastic tongs.

“From what I heard this morning he was gonna get with the girl who works in The Cup. He asked her for a special delivery and it was laced with sexual innuendo.” Ashley looked from Joey to Janelle. “Aren’t you glad you don’t work here and have to see all this shit first hand? It’s rather disgusting.”

“Are you kidding me?” Janelle laughed. “I’m stuck at home with a two-month-old all day. I love hearing all about As the Chancellor Turns!”

Ashley nodded her head in agreement. “Yep, that’s about right,” she said and looked at Joey. “You know, the girl from the coffee shop and the girl in the lobby started about the same time, I think. I heard they were roommates because they couldn’t find housing so HR put them up in an apartment together.”

“Well that sucks if he’s fucking them both.” Joey spoke in a softer voice so as not to gain attention from the hotel guests who were at the bar.

At that moment, Chris walked in looking glum but brightening when he saw Ashley and Janelle at the bar with Joey.

“Hey!” Ashley smiled at him and hopped off her barstool. She met him with a hug and a lingering kiss before taking his hand and leading him to the bar.

“Beer?” Joey held up a bottle of Budweiser and Chris took it almost instantly. He wedged himself between Janelle and Ashley, leaning into his fiancé.

“I hate this day. This and lunch were about the best parts of it.” Chris mumbled into his beer bottle.

Ashley played with his hair, raking it between her fingers and then wrapped her arm across the front of his chest. “Well, it’s over now and you’re with us.” She reached around to peck his cheek, then whispered in his ear, “And tonight when we get home I’ll do whatever you want me to do.”

Chris brightened at the thought and raised his beer bottle to toast her Mojito. “Cheers, baby.”

 

Rain had been forecasted the next three days in Islamorada due to a tropical storm off the coast of Florida. This meant that all the regularly scheduled outdoor summer activities would either be moved inside or that the Concierge desk would be promoting the local movie theater, indoor racquetball at the Tennis Club, or the nearest indoor shopping mall.

Delaney noticed that the interior of the hotel was much darker when it rained due to the floor to ceiling windows that normally brought in sunlight. The lobby felt almost gloomy to her as she walked through it making her rounds for the day. She passed by Todd at the Concierge and waved to the others at the desk. As she was about to round the corner to go and check on lunch at Miso’s, she was stopped by John, the irritating Valet Manager.

“Hi Ms. Nixon.” His voice seemed to get squeakier each time he spoke to her. “Wanted to let you know that the lots aren’t as full today because everyone’s off property.”

Delaney looked at him and waited for him to continue. When he stood there and simply looked at her, she realized this was what he must do on a regular basis with JC. He was a kiss-ass and was only telling her this bit of mindless information so that she would give him an accolade or praise.

“John.” Delaney cleared her throat and tried not to be as patronizing as she wanted to be with him. “You don’t have to let me know every two minutes when the lot is or isn’t full. That’s a waste of your breath.”

John’s face fell. “Yes, Ms. Nixon. It’s just that Mr. Chasez likes it when I inform him of-“

“I’m not Mr. Chasez.” Delaney looked at him and pursed her lips. “Just make sure with the weather like it is today that nobody gets in an accident.”

“Yes. Yes, Ms. Nixon.” John nodded and scurried off in the other direction. She rolled her eyes and continued to walk down the corridor that led to Miso’s.

 

“That’s it, Morgan. Yeah, you like it hard, don’t you mama?” JC growled into Morgan’s ear as she rode him in his desk chair. He was pumping into her hard and fast and she wasn’t relenting.

“Shit, JC!” Morgan nearly screamed. “Fuck me harder!”

“That’s what I wanna hear, baby.” JC pulled her hair and watched her as she bounced on top of him, her breasts right at eye level. Burying his face between them, he bit at her skin and Morgan groaned in a mixture of pain and delight. He grabbed onto her rear and slapped her there, making Morgan scream once more. He watched as she looked down to watch his dick being swallowed by her center and then began to massage her clit.

“No, baby. Let me take care of that.” JC pulled her arm away and replaced her fingers with his. He rubbed her hard and fast, his fingers nearly drenched by how wet she was. “You feel so fucking good, Morgan. Keep riding me, baby.”

 

“I ordered a strawberry margarita! This is not a strawberry margarita!”

Joey looked up to see an older woman yelling at one of the servers. He looked at the situation in confusion, especially because it was Leighanne, one of the most professional waitresses he had hired at Chancey’s.

“Mrs. Corley, I’m really sorry.” Leighanne apologized and took the margarita away. “But we have a special strawberry kiwi margarita and then our regular strawberry margarita. I apologize for putting in the wrong order-“

“This is the second time this has happened at this damn hotel!” Mrs. Corley snapped at her. “Last night at your steak restaurant, my potato was ice cold.”

“Now, Gertie, it wasn’t ice cold. It was warm, but it wasn’t cold-“ The man sitting next to her began to speak but was immediately silenced by her.

“Marvin, shut up!” Mrs. Corley yelled. “You always take the help’s side.”

Mr. Corley looked up at Leighanne, quite embarrassed. “Please forgive my wife. She doesn’t mean-“

“I most certainly do mean!” Mrs. Corley snapped. “Who is the manager of this place?”

Leighanne was about to answer, but Joey had stepped from behind the bar to assess the situation more carefully and was right by her side.

“I manage the bar,” Joey answered and looked at Mrs. Corley. “What can I help you with?”

“Perhaps you should tell the people who run this hotel how terrible their service is at their restaurants. Not to mention we had to wait in the longest line I’ve ever waited in to check in!”

“I’m very sorry, ma’am. Why don’t we get you the right drink and it’ll be on us.” Joey was trying to be reasonable.

“No!” Mrs. Corley shook her head vehemently. “I want to speak to a manager! Now!”

Joey groaned inwardly and went back to the bar to dial JC’s office number.

 

The phone started to ring just as Morgan had reached her climax. She was shaking and convulsing on top of JC and he was too into it to break away from her. She was probably some of the best sex he’d had in a long time.

“Oh…shit..” Morgan fell against JC as she finished. “Shit, JC. That was so hot.”

The phone continued to ring and Morgan pulled away from him. “Shouldn’t you get that, boss?”

“You’re so sexy when you call me that.” JC ignored her question. “Get my dick hard again and then get on your hands and knees. You’re gonna be here for a while.”

 

Joey hung up the phone in frustration and looked over at the Corley’s. Mrs. Corley was yelling at her husband and the whole bar was looking at them. Thankfully, it was a smaller crowd but it was still bringing unwanted attention. Leighanne had gone to the back to collect herself upon Joey’s orders.

Joey sighed and picked up the phone once more, this time calling for Delaney.

 

Delaney had just come back to her office when the phone began to ring. After sampling a few pieces of sushi and a small cup of ginger flavored ice cream, she was craving a real meal and had decided to go down to the cafeteria. She hoped the phone call wouldn’t take too long.

“Delaney Nixon.” She answered on the third ring.

“Hey, Ms. Nixon, it’s Joey Fatone. I’ve got a situation with a guest down here in Chancey’s. Can you come check it out?”

“Sure, Joey. What seems to be the issue?” Delaney knew lunch was going to have to wait.

“Um, just come down here. We’ve got a disgruntled guest so to speak.”

Delaney hung up the phone and quickly walked out of her office, back down to the lobby, and down the corridor to Chancey’s. When she walked into the bar, Joey was standing at a table talking calmly with an older gentleman and who Delaney assumed to be his wife. The wife was scowling and shaking her head at everything Joey was saying to them.

“Hi, I’m Delaney Nixon. I’m the Assistant Manager. Is there something I can do?” Delaney was all business and wore a smile on her face. It was genuine and Joey recognized that. Genuine wasn’t something he was used to from JC, who looked down on everyone under him as though they were serfs in his kingdom.

“Ms. Nixon, I want to apologize,” said the older gentleman. “I’m Marvin Corley. My wife and I have been longtime guests of this hotel.“ He stopped speaking and leaned closer to Delaney. “And she’s got the onset stages of dementia. I wanted to bring her here one more time because I don’t know how she’ll be during the summer which is when we normally come. She got real upset with an order being messed up. Yelled at one of your kind waitresses. The thing is, she wanted a strawberry margarita. Well, she can’t have alcohol with the medication she’s on so I told her to make it a virgin. I guess Gertie can tell the difference because she got real upset and started yelling at her.”

Delaney looked at Joey and back at the couple. Her heart went out to them, particularly because her own grandmother had lost a battle with Alzheimer’s two summers ago. This couple looked as though they were from old money, typical for the older guests who came and vacationed at The Chancellor. It wasn’t as though they couldn’t afford the drink but Delaney knew it was the only way to smooth things over, especially because she’d felt bad for Mr. Corley.

“Comp the drink,” she said to Joey in a soft voice. Joey nodded. “Mr. Corley, we’d like to offer you a gift card to Chancey’s worth $25. And we’re very sorry this happened, Mrs. Corley.”

“Oh, honey, it’s okay. I’m sure we’ll find it.” Mrs. Corley gave a broad smile as though nothing had been wrong in the first place.

“Find what-“ Joey started to ask but Delaney shook her head and Joey closed his mouth.

“I’m sure you will.” Delaney looked pitifully at the Corley’s. “You can pick up your gift card whenever you’re ready to leave. Joey will have it all made up for you.”

“Thank you.” Mr. Corley took Delaney’s hand and squeezed it. “This means so much.” He looked at Joey. “Sir, I’m sorry we disturbed your bar.”

Joey shook his head and put his hand up. “No need for apologies. We understand.”

“Let me know if there’s anything else we can give you while you’re here.” Delaney shook hands with Mr. Corley and turned to follow Joey to the side of the cash register.

“What in the hell was that about?” Joey looked over at the Corley’s who were sitting down once more and then back at Delaney.

“She’s got the onsets of dementia. It’s kind of like the predecessor to Alzheimer’s. That’s why she probably had no idea about any of what she did.”

Joey ran a hand through his hair, a puzzled expression on his face. “Well, kudos to you for handling it like you did. I’ll get the gift card ready to go.”

“Sure. Anytime. Do you need anything else before I head to lunch?” Delaney asked and began to walk towards the entrance of the bar.

“No. Thanks, Ms. Nixon. I really appreciate the way you handled it.” Joey gave a grateful smile and began to work on the gift card.

“That’s my job, Joey.” Delaney left the bar and headed down to the cafeteria.

 

“I wanna see you again.” JC pressed his lips to Morgan’s and slid his tongue inside of her mouth. “You better have your cell phone on when you’re at work. I’ll be texting you a lot. Maybe off the clock, too.” He was holding her against the door to his office and waited before opening it.

“Don’t worry, JC. I’ll be waiting.” Morgan kissed him again and he let her go, watching her disappear down the stairs. He cracked his door and turned around to observe the mess they’d made. His desk was covered in her scent, a chair had been knocked over in the seating area, and the used condom hadn’t made it into the trashcan, but was resting next to it. JC grabbed for a few tissues and picked it up, tossing it into the bin, then began to straighten up his office. As he finished with his desk, he looked at the missed calls he’d received while Morgan had been there.

Three missed calls from Chancey’s.

He picked up the phone and called Joey’s office.

“Joey Fatone.”

“Joey, it’s Mr. Chasez. I saw I had a few missed calls?”

“Oh, yeah, yes sir, it was a disgruntled guest but Ms. Nixon got it all figured out.”

“She did, did she? What did she do?”

“She comp’d the drink and gave the couple a gift card to the bar.”

“For how much?”

“Twenty-five. They were really grateful.”

JC cringed. “Twenty-five dollars?! That’s ridiculous!”

“Ah, well, I don’t know what to tell you, Mr. Chasez. We couldn’t reach you and-“

“Fine. Next time you call until I answer. Got it?”

“Yes sir.”

JC slammed the phone down on the receiver and left the office in a huff. He stormed down the office steps and down the hall to Delaney’s office. It was empty and there was no sign of her. Checking his watch, he saw it was almost one. Maybe she was down in the cafeteria. If not, he’d sit and wait for her until she returned.

 

“Is this seat taken?” Delaney asked Ashley, who was sitting in a booth with Chris at the cafeteria.

“It’s all yours, Ms-I mean, Delaney.” Ashley smiled and moved the salt and pepper out of the way of Delaney’s tray.

“Looks healthy.” Chris noted the food on Delaney’s tray: A salmon salad, fruit plate, and mineral water.

“Better than a bacon grilled cheese with fries and Coke.” Ashley turned her nose up at Chris’ selection.

“Hey, I’m a growing boy!” Chris teased her and Ashley put her hand on his stomach, giving it a pat.

“You sure are, babe.” She winked at him and then leaned over to kiss his cheek. “Hey, Joey told us about the Corley’s. You did a great job handling her. They’re such a sweet couple. I feel bad for them with all that’s happened with her getting sick. I remember she used to come to the spa for pedicures a few years ago.”

“Well, my grandmother died of Alzheimer’s so my heart went out to them.” Delaney began to cut into her salmon. “I don’t know if they’ll be back after this season. Mr. Corley made it sound like they were taking the trip earlier because of her condition.”

“Don’t look now but Chasez’s in the cafeteria.” Chris muttered, causing an automatic change of subject. “Damn he looks pissed, too.”

Delaney turned to see JC scanning the cafeteria, his lips pursed, an angered expression on his face. When he spotted her, he immediately began to make his way to their booth.

“Shit. I probably fucked up a food order.” Chris rubbed his eyes with his hands and Ashley put a supportive hand on his back.

“I don’t think he’s coming to talk to you.” Ashley whispered and just as she looked up, JC was standing next to them, glaring down at Delaney.

“Ms. Nixon, I’d like to speak to you in private. Now.” He didn’t acknowledge Chris or Ashley, only stood looking at Delaney like a cobra ready to strike.

Delaney wasn’t fazed by him and said, “I’m eating. I can meet with you when I’m-“

“I don’t care what you’re doing. Come outside with me, please.” JC moved from the booth gesturing her with his arm.

Excusing herself, Delaney stood and followed JC outside of the employee cafeteria. She watched him look to both ends of the hallway before he started in on her.

“What the fuck are you thinking giving guests a twenty-five dollar gift card? Are you crazy? A situation like that is worth ten, maybe fifteen. But twenty-five?!” JC’s voice cracked as he said the last sentence.

“Do you even know what happened?” She asked him and folded her arms across her chest.

“Disgruntled guest. Happens all the fucking time. You tell them to get over it and give them ten dollars to the damn gift shop!” JC raised his voice.

“The couple has been longtime guests at the hotel, JC. The Corley’s. Ring a bell? She has dementia and it’s probably his last time bringing her here!” Delaney didn’t care that she was on the verge of yelling but JC did because he grabbed her arm and pulled her around the corner.

“I don’t care. That’s a lot of money! Once they tell all of their old friends, do you know how many of them will try to pull the same bullshit?!”

“You have no idea if that will even happen, JC! You can’t base what I did on something that may or may not happen in the future. And besides, where was your ass when Joey tried to get a hold of you? Perhaps the whole thing could have been avoided had you been around? Or should I say not fucking half the employees at the hotel!” Delaney glowered at him waiting for his response.

JC said nothing, only backed away from her, and before he turned, Delaney could have sworn she saw a look of panic across his face.

Good, Delaney thought. Maybe that will teach him to keep his dick in his pants and his mind on his work.

Chapter 5 by Alysen Blaine
Author's Notes:
sorry for the delay. life took over for a little bit there. enjoy & review please :)

Flashback 1981

“…I just can’t take care of him anymore. He’s too much to handle.”

“You’re doing the right thing, Lisa. I’m sure when he’s old enough, he’ll understand.”

Five-year-old Joshua looked around the office space where he was sitting obediently on a brown pleather couch. The pleather stuck to his thighs and he shifted some to get comfortable. He watched his mother as she spoke to someone behind a big desk next to him. She thought she was being quiet enough where her son wouldn’t hear her. But he’d heard every word.

Lisa looked over at her son and grimaced at him, then forced a smile. Joshua gave her a toothless grin back but it only seemed to irritate her more. She shook her head and then looked back at Karen Chasez.

“Everyone keeps telling me that. I’m twenty-years-old and I’m missing out on life because of him,” she said.

Karen looked over at the little boy. His expression had turned from hopeful to puzzled in a short matter of time.

“I’ll call you tonight and let you know what happens.” Karen was assuring in her response and Lisa smiled, standing to her feet.

“Let’s go, Josh.”

Her tone was cold and harsh. Joshua obeyed. His mother didn’t want to be his mommy and he knew it.

They got into the car and Joshua watched his mother irritably turn on the ignition and then sit in the parking space while she lit up a cigarette.

“Your dad was a piece of shit, Josh. I hope you don’t end up like that.”

Joshua had been used to her always snapping at him this way. He’d not known a day where his mother didn’t speak ill of his father or take out her frustration on him. He had enough bruises to prove that. He began to wonder if he should’ve pulled up his shirt to show the most recent bruise to the nice lady his mother had been talking with a moment ago. But that was silly. He deserved those punches. He had to be better about picking up his toys.

“I won’t, Mommy.” Joshua spoke softly so as not to disturb his mother anymore.

“Let’s go home.” Lisa let out a sigh, blowing smoke along with it, and pulled out of the parking lot.

Joshua watched the landscape roll past him. There was the Showbiz Pizza Place he’d always wanted to eat at, the go-cart place he’d wanted to try, the big Toys-R-Us store that he’d heard his friends at school talk about. He’d not been to any of these places. His toys at home had consisted of an old Tonka truck that his mother had found in someone’s junk yard sale a few years ago, a teddy bear from when he’d been a baby, and a few matchbox cars that had been salvaged from a neighbor’s move a few years back.

They were poor and he knew it. The fact that they were actually in a house at all right now was only because Lisa had managed to find a job that allowed her to work while Joshua was in school. But sometimes she wouldn’t go into work, which meant she was too sick to drive. She was sick a lot. Joshua wondered if it was because of all the beer she drank after dinner. 

And then there were the men that were always in and out of the house. Once, there had been two men and Joshua had watched as they’d kissed all over his mother. She’d screamed at him to go to his room and Joshua did as he was told, locking his bedroom door and hiding under the covers. There had been something about those men that he’d not liked. He knew he’d been right when he’d woken up the next day and found his mother on the couch crying and then telling him how bad men were to her.

Once they were home, Joshua ran to his room and began to quietly play on the floor until he was called for dinner. He was starving and his stomach was making grumbling noises. They’d had to skip lunch that day because Lisa told him her work didn’t pay her enough and they’d have to miss it in order to have dinner. In reality, Lisa had spent the allotted money on a carton of cigarettes.

Lisa sat down at the card table she was using for their kitchen table. She sorted through the mail and gulped when she saw the late notice on the electric bill. She tossed it aside. It would have to wait along with the rest of the bills. She lit another cigarette and watched as the smoke drifted up into oblivion.

Six years ago her life had been a completely different story. She was fifteen, a freshman in high school, and had caught the attention of a senior baseball player. Ben Jacobs. She still remembered the first time she ever had laid eyes on him. He was tall, dark brown hair, blue eyes, and very charming and sexy. On their second date they’d had sex in the back of Ben’s truck. It hadn’t been romantic and if anything, Lisa hadn’t enjoyed it at all. But it had happened and Lisa was in love. Two months later when she found out she was pregnant, Ben dumped her, her parents put her in a home for troubled teens, and her life was over.

Now, she lived in a duplex in a shitty part of Bowie, Maryland and she was headed down the path of being an alcoholic. Joshua had been nothing but irritating to her since he’d been born. She had no idea how to be a mother and her own mother had more or less stopped talking to her. When she was angry, it was Joshua who got the brunt of it. The first time she hit him, she’d cried the rest of the night. But each time got easier and easier. He was little and helpless and Lisa was finally in control of something.

This was why she had to get rid of him. She didn’t want him. She’d never wanted him.

“Mommy?”

Lisa looked up and stared at her son without any sort of expression.

“What?!”

 He was used to her snapping at him all the time and cowered as he spoke again.

“Mommy, can we eat dinner now?”

Those eyes were Ben’s eyes that looked into her own and it only reminded Lisa of how Joshua had been the reason that Ben had left and why her life now was the way it was.

“Shut up. It’s only four o’clock, Josh!” Lisa rubbed her temple with her free hand. With her other hand she flicked away the ash of the cigarette onto the floor.

“I know but I’m hungry and-“

Lisa reached over and slapped him across the face. “I said it’s only four o’clock, you little bastard. Go to your room and I’ll call you when it’s ready!”

Joshua didn’t hide his tears and held his cheek as he ran down the hallway and into his bedroom.

Lisa shook her head and took another drag on her cigarette, then jumped up as soon as she heard the phone ring. It was Karen.

“There aren’t any placements, Lisa. But we feel your situation is quite dire so my husband, Roy, and I have decided to take Joshua in for now. We can take him as soon as tomorrow morning.”

Lisa didn’t hesitate. She agreed wholeheartedly and after stuffing out her cigarette in the kitchen sink, sprinted down the hall to Joshua’s room. She found him face down on his mattress, sniffling and holding his cheek.

“Get up. We gotta pack your shit cause you’re getting a new mommy tomorrow.”

Joshua looked up at his mother. He didn’t question, only did as he was told. A wave of excitement rolled through him. He was getting out. He was leaving the monster.

 

“Mr. Chasez?”

JC snapped to attention and looked up from his desk. Morgan stood in the doorway, looking at him with a lustful expression. He’d almost forgotten he’d called for her.

“Huh? Oh hey, Morgan.”

“Should I close the door?” Morgan bit on her lower lip and grinned at him.

JC, normally turned on immediately by Morgan’s advances, found himself responding almost mechanically.

“Yes. Close the door.” He stood up and walked around to the front of his desk. Morgan sauntered towards him and draped her arms around his neck. She began to bite at his neck and had it been any other time, JC would have been all about her. The flashback had thrown him off. He hadn’t thought about that day in years. Tossing his thought aside, he began to undress with Morgan and soon they were on the floor bucking against each other.

 

Delaney clicked on the e-invite from the International Hotel and Restaurant Association. It was the annual weekend getaway invite for those in upper management. It meant that she, along with JC, Chris, and anyone else in their category at The Chancellor would be going to spend a weekend in a five star luxury resort in the Bahamas. Delaney had always found it a little ridiculous at how they would disguise it as a “getaway” when it was really nothing but a series of meetings and breakout sessions crammed together. The only people on the trip who got a “getaway” were the spouses or significant others that came along.

Delaney groaned and clicked on the “Yes, I will be attending” box, then hit “Send” before shutting off her laptop. It was getting close to five and she’d come in early specifically so that she could leave a few minutes early. She and Ashley had planned to meet at Chancey’s for drinks since Chris had to work late. Delaney hoped Ashley would join Chris for the getaway weekend. It would be a nice change of pace to have a friend along. And in the last few weeks, Ashley had definitely become her friend.

“What’s up, Delaney!” Joey greeted her from the bar as Delaney walked into Chancey’s. Delaney waved at him and went over to take her usual spot at the end that faced the window. Ashley had yet to arrive and Delaney went ahead and ordered a martini.

“How’s life in the big leagues?” Joey teased as he began to stir her martini.

“Same old shit.” Delaney placed her elbow on the bar and rested her chin in her hand. “How’s Aamya?”

“Growing up too fast.” Joey shook his head and set the martini down in front of her. “I always heard that happened but until I had one of my own, I didn’t get how much truth was behind that.” He began to wipe down the spot next to Delaney where a guest had spilled some wine. “Anyway. She’s adorable. I miss her when I’m here. Then again, I’m making too much money for her so I gotta keep working.”

“If you need some days off, let me know, Joey. You work really hard and I’m sure we could arrange for more time off.” Delaney took the olive out of her martini and popped it in her mouth.

“I’m sure Janelle would appreciate that.” Joey smiled as he began to wipe down the bar and took a beer stein out to pour a Budweiser for another guest.

“Hey guys.” Ashley sat down next to the empty spot by Delaney. She looked at Joey and said, “Gin and tonic. It’s been a day for sure.”

“What’s wrong?” Delaney asked her friend as she turned to face her.

“One of the new girls double-booked a massage and we had to turn a guest away for another time. It was fine but then on top of that the computer was down after lunch so we had to do all of the appointments by hand. It was just really stressful. I haven’t seen Chris at all since I left this morning but he texted me saying they were super busy in food and beverage and he would probably be working overtime.” Ashley gratefully took the gin and tonic from Joey and sipped it slowly, then let out a breath. “Sorry, I just realized that was a lot to spew.”

“No need to apologize.” Delaney smiled at her assuredly. “We all have shitty days. Though mine was pretty nice. I didn’t see JC at all.”

“Well there you go.” Joey chuckled and leaned against the bar. “That makes it an even better day.” He looked at Ashley. “Any word on the roommate fuckery?”

Ashley shrugged. “Beats me. All I know is that when I make a coffee run and see Morgan, that chick looks sluttier every time.” She looked at Delaney. “Hey maybe you can say something to her about her shirt being unbuttoned too much. Because I’m pretty sure if she undoes one more button that her breasts will be all over the counter of the coffee shop.”

Delaney laughed out loud and shook her head. “Maybe I’ll drop by tomorrow and see. I wonder if JC knows he’s doing two roommates?”

“If he does, I’m sure he’d use it to his advantage,” Joey said with an amused expression. “Hey girls, it’s Happy Hour. Drink up. You’ve still got another drink on its way.”

 

Flashback 1984

 

“Joshua, no, that’s mine!” Heather Chasez chased her brother down the hall as he darted ahead, clutching her Barbie doll in his fist.

“Ha ha! You can’t ru-un!” Joshua turned on his heel and immediately pushed Heather to the ground.

“Mo-om!” Heather wailed, and looked down at the rug burn on her knee. “Mom, Joshua pushed me and he won’t give me back my Barbie doll!”

Karen looked up from the book she was reading in the recliner and let out an exasperated sigh. “Come here, Joshua!”

Joshua glared at his sister and threw the Barbie doll at her. It bounced off Heather’s arm and landed on the floor. He wandered into the living room and folded his arms across his chest, daring his mother to say anything to him.

Lisa had let him get away with anything but that was because there was no one to share his toys-what little he had anyway-with him. He had had to share everything with Heather and Tyler, his two younger siblings, since the first day he moved in with the Chasez’s and he hated it.

“Joshua, did you take Heather’s Barbie doll?” Karen asked him, gently.

“I don’t have it.” Joshua retorted.

“That’s not what I asked. Did you take it from her?” Karen leaned forward and went to touch her son’s arm. He backed away quickly. He didn’t know what to do with affection.

“Maybe.” Joshua wasn’t going to relent that fast and he wanted his mother to know it.

“Well, I guess if you can’t give me an answer, you’ll need to go sit in your room for a while until you figure it out.” Karen sat back in her recliner and looked at her son, waiting for him to respond.

“She took my stuff first!” Joshua exclaimed.

“What did she take?”

“She…she took my, uh, my He-Man stuff!”

He was lying and Karen knew it.

“Heather?” Karen stood to her feet and walked down the hall to Heather’s bedroom. The little girl was sitting on the floor playing with her Barbie dolls in the Barbie corvette.

“What?” Heather looked up from playing and right at her mother, then stiffened when she saw Joshua standing behind their mother.

“Did you take Joshua’s He-Man toys?”

“No!” Heather shook her head.

“Yeah you did!” Joshua yelled and ducked under Karen’s arm and into Heather’s room. “Don’t lie, Heather!”

“I’m not!” Heather was the good one and Joshua had spent years trying to figure out how to best get her back for all the perfection she seemed to endow to their parents.

Karen rubbed her temple and watched her son as he hovered over his sister. She knew Joshua was lying. He seemed to think he was good at it but he got caught every time.

“Joshua, go to your room,” Karen said in a soft but firm tone.

“But Mom-“ he began to argue.

“Joshua. Go to your room. Now, please.”

Joshua kicked the air and grunted as he stormed out of Heather’s room. He hated girls. He hated them a lot.

 

“You’re not even into this at all!” Morgan pushed JC off of her. “You can barely get it up.”

JC rolled onto his back and rubbed his forehead. “I’m sorry, Morgan. It’s just been an off day, okay?”

“Yeah, okay.” Morgan began to quickly dress as JC stood to his feet and followed her to the door. She turned around and kissed him before she walked out. “My roommate’s gone tonight. If you wanted to continue it later, I mean.”

JC had sworn to himself he’d never go to any of these girls’ apartments but after what had just happened to him, he wondered if tonight he should break that promise to himself.

“Where do you live?”

Morgan smirked and sashayed over to his desk, grabbing a pen and a sticky note to write down her address. When she handed it back to him, she pressed her body against his and kissed him hungrily. “Just let me know. No pressure, okay?”

“Yeah, okay.” JC nodded and looked at the address as Morgan turned and disappeared out of the doorway. He let out a shaky sigh. What the hell was going on? Why all of these flashbacks now? Today? He needed a drink. It was time to take advantage of that employee discount at Chancey’s.

 

“…so then I was like ‘um sir, the sauna’s not a nude sauna’ and the guy turns around and I’m seeing everything just hanging out there in the open!” Ashley was laughing loudly with Delaney about a recent guest encounter at the spa and Delaney could barely get down her martini without spewing it onto the bar.

“Oh my god what did you do?” Delaney managed to ask.

“I tried to not look, you know, down there, but I mean, there it was. In all its saggy glory!” Ashley was giggling and trying her best to not spill her second gin and tonic.

“Ew!” Delaney covered her mouth to keep from laughing too hard.

“I know! So then-“

“Shit.” Joey interrupted the girls’ laughter and they were still giggling when they turned around to see what Joey was lamenting. There, standing in the doorway of Chancey’s, was JC.

“Damn. I bet he found out about the double-booked massages.” Ashley groaned and put her head in her hands.

“He can’t do anything. I’ll take care of it anyway.” Delaney put an arm around Ashley’s shoulder, and kept one eye on JC. He looked over at them and nodded, walking over to the bar.

“Shit shit shit shit.” Ashley muttered under her breath as she watched JC sit directly across from her and Delaney.

“Hey.” He greeted them as though he always came to Chancey’s with them after hours. As though they were all work buddies gathering at the watering hole after work.

“Um, hi.” Ashley cleared her throat and gulped down her gin and tonic. “Joey, I’ll have another. Make it a double.”

Joey raised an eyebrow at her. “Are you driving home?”

“I’ll make sure she gets home.” Delaney told Joey, then looked over at JC. “Hi.”

“I’ll have a beer.” JC looked at Joey as though Joey waited on him all the time and knew what beer he wanted.

“Which type, boss. Which brand? And did you want on tap, bottle, can?” Joey waited for JC to answer while he mixed another gin and tonic.

“Oh, yeah. Um. You got Blue Moon?” JC wanted to know, looking behind Joey at the beer options.

“On tap or bottle?”

“Bottle’s fine.”

“Coming up.” Joey turned and reached down into the cooler to pull out a cold bottle of Blue Moon. He handed it to JC and JC took it, nodding at him in appreciation.

Delaney and Ashley grew silent and Joey crossed to the other side of the bar to wait on two guests who’d just walked in. He knew the other two bartenders could handle it, but there was suddenly so much tension in the air that he didn’t want to deal with it.

“How was your day?” JC asked, looking from Ashley to Delaney.

Ashley was attached to her gin and tonic and didn’t make eye contact with him so Delaney had to answer.

“It was decent. Not bad at all. Oh, did you get the evite from the IHRC? Annual weekend getaway is coming up.” Delaney figured she had to make conversation now that it looked as though JC was going to stick around.

“Yeah.” JC nodded and took a swig of beer. “Guess it’s that time again. You gonna go?”

“Yeah, I RSVP’d today.” Delaney nudged Ashley. “You know, you could go with Chris. It’d be really great if you did. It would give me someone to hang out with in between sessions! Plus it’s in the Bahamas.”

“I was supposed to go on that thing last year but I got the flu and had to stay back. I’m sure we’re going this year,” Ashley replied but turned her body so it didn’t face JC.

“Great. It’ll be a blast.” Delaney was trying her best to make the conversation light so as not to make it more awkward than it already felt, but it was getting difficult to do.

“What are you guys up to tonight?” JC wanted to know and Delaney was curious as to why he was suddenly being so nice. It was quite unlike him.

“Just having a few drinks together before we head home.” Delaney smiled at him and JC smiled back at her for the first time since they’d started working together. “What about you?”

JC chuckled softly. “Oh, just a quiet evening at home,” he said. He thought about Morgan’s address that was burning a hole in his pocket. After the encounter just an hour before, he knew he wanted to make up for that. It was embarrassing and he wanted to assure Morgan it wouldn’t happen again.

“It’s still happy hour, boss.” Joey came over to JC and handed him another Blue Moon. “You get two, remember?”

“One’s just fine, Joey. Thanks.” JC gulped down the rest of his beer and stood up. “Good talking to you guys. I think I’m headed home for the evening. See you tomorrow.”

“See you.” Delaney waved him off and then watched as Ashley slammed down her empty glass and looked in the direction in which JC had walked away.

“Damn. Is that going to be a nightly occurrence now? Him coming into our bar?” She griped and pushed the glass away from her.

“Technically, it’s more his bar than ours. I mean, he is the GM,” reminded Joey and took the glass away. “He was in rare form tonight, that’s for sure.”

“Maybe he had enough sex today that it put him in a good mood?” Ashley was teasing and laughed at her own joke.

“Could be.” Delaney looked down at her martini. “He kind of looked a little off. Did you guys notice that?”

“Well, it was a little off of him to come and sit in the bar with the other employees. The only employees he sees are young, single hot girls.” Joey reached below the bar for his water bottle and took a chug. “I guess if he’s going to start this, I should stock up on Blue Moon.”

“Or we should find a new bar.” Ashley muttered.

 

“I thought you were going to be gone tonight?” Morgan stopped dead in her tracks when she walked into the living room to see Andrea lounging on the couch and watching a rerun of Grey’s Anatomy.

“Plans changed. We’re not leaving til tomorrow.” Andrea yawned and turned down the volume of the television, noticing her roommate’s attire. Morgan was wearing a skimpy tank top and boxers with a silk red robe hanging off her shoulders. “Um, are you expecting someone?”

Morgan cleared her throat nervously and forced a smile. “Um. Yeah. Kind of. Do you mind going in your room for a bit?”

“When he gets here, sure.” Andrea shrugged and went back to the show, then looked back at Morgan. “Who is he? Anyone I know?”

“I don’t think so.” Morgan had to lie. Besides, it wasn’t as if JC knew who Andrea was anyway. There were hundreds of employees at The Chancellor and Andrea was just one of many.

Morgan’s phone buzzed from her room and she ran to grab it. It was a text from JC telling her he was on his way. Morgan checked herself in the mirror and looked at her bed, wishing she’d gone for the queen-size instead of the double. How was she to have known that she’d be sleeping with the GM of one of the most well known hotels in America?

Andrea was a little envious of her roommate. Morgan was gorgeous and Andrea knew she had had a lot of guys over since they’d become roommates last month. Not to mention that Andrea’s sex life had all but stopped in the last two weeks. She hadn’t heard from JC at all and he was avoiding her now as though she had some sort of disease. It didn’t matter, she supposed. She was leaving tomorrow for Key West with Todd and a few other of the Concierges and valet guys. She liked Todd but wasn’t sure if she was attracted to him or not. JC had made it easy for her to fall for him. He was sexy and charming and much older. Todd was still in his twenties and more in Andrea’s league and she knew it. It just sucked that JC had decided she wasn’t good enough for him anymore.

There was a knock on the door and Morgan dashed to answer it. Andrea turned off the television and went to walk to her bedroom when she heard a familiar voice greet Morgan.

“You look so fucking hot, baby.”

She turned around and saw Morgan leading JC to her bedroom.

“JC?!”

JC froze and slowly turned around to face Andrea. “Andrea?! What are you doing here?”

Chapter 6 by Alysen Blaine
Author's Notes:
Back after a long hiatus. Hope you guys enjoy. And thanks so much for the 2nd place nom in the Season 8 Awards! 

Andrea looked again from JC to Morgan and back again.

“I live here.” She could barely get the words out and didn’t know why all of the sudden she felt her throat closing up and felt it hard to breathe. She looked at Morgan. “Did you know he was sleeping with me?”

Morgan’s mouth hung open. “Are you kidding me?” She looked at JC. “You were fucking us both?!”

JC felt as though he was in a very, very bad dream. Neither of the girls looked particularly thrilled with him and there was no way he could get out of it. He swallowed hard and nodded his head.

“I had no idea you two were roommates.” That was the best he could come up with because it was the truth and because there really wasn’t any other explanation.

Andrea still couldn’t believe it and looked at JC in disbelief. She knew she’d fallen for him a long time ago and he couldn’t have cared less. Everything he’d told her about their trysts only being for sex had gone out the door a long time ago. And Morgan. Morgan who could have any man she wanted to have had taken him away from her.

“I’ve got to go.” Andrea turned away and walked into her room. She grabbed the duffel bag on her bed that was already filled with her clothes and beach items for her trip. As she walked back out she saw JC and Morgan still standing next to each other in a most awkward manner. It was as though they didn’t know what to do or say to each other.

“Andrea-“ Morgan said but Andrea only gave her the finger as she exited the apartment and slammed the door behind her.

Morgan turned and faced JC. “She’s an immature little bitch anyway. I don’t really care what you did with her.” Morgan let the robe slip down to her feet and reached for JC’s hand. “My room’s this way. Let’s go.”

JC glanced at the door where Andrea had disappeared. A twinge of guilt tugged at him but he brushed it aside and followed Morgan to her bedroom.

 

Flashback 1991

 

“I’m sorry, Josh. I just think we’re better off as friends.”

Josh looked in disbelief at what his girlfriend was telling him.

“We’re just moving too fast for me right now. I need to take a break.”

Tiffany put her hand on top of his but Josh immediately brushed it away.

“Fine. Be that way.” He stood abruptly from the bleachers in the gym and glared at her. “And I don’t want to be your friend.”

“But Josh-“

“No. See ya.”

Josh stomped down the steps of the bleachers and walked across the gym floor. He and Tiffany had been dating for eight months and as far as he knew, things were great. They’d started out as friends first and it had progressed from there. He didn’t know what she’d meant by taking it too fast. It seemed to be exactly the speed it should’ve been for a high school relationship or so he thought anyway. She had made him angry by breaking up with him like she had. But he would make sure to move on before she had a chance to find someone new and flaunt it in front of him.

He walked past the courtyard where the cheerleading squad had been practicing for their upcoming competition. He’d always had his eye on Michele, the captain, because she was drop dead gorgeous. But he’d been with Tiffany and besides that, Michele was a senior. There was no way she’d look at him a lowly freshmen.

Josh leaned against the wall of the building that faced the courtyard and watched as Michele was thrown in the air and did a perfect toe touch. She landed on her feet and threw her hands in the air in the victory stance. She caught his eye and Josh thought he detected a smirk, which made him extremely nervous. He ran a hand through his hair and pretended to look away, still keeping her in his peripheral vision.

A few minutes later, the practice ended and Josh looked up to see Michele walking towards him.

“So, you wanna join the squad?” Michele was an inch taller than him and had springy, curly blond hair. He’d heard from several of his friends that she was easy and although she was supposedly dating a college student, she seemed to have her fair share of whoever she wanted.

“Um, no. I was um, just…” Josh trailed off and couldn’t finish his sentence.

“I’ve seen you around. You’re sexy for a freshmen.” Michele was flirting and Josh felt his cheeks burn.

“Uh, thanks.” He looked up at her and saw her flash him a sexy grin.

“Wanna take a ride? Or are you allowed to leave school before the bus gets here?” She slid her arm through his and began to lead him towards her Mustang.

He felt dizzy. He couldn’t think. He’d only been watching a moment ago and now he was about to go off with this girl. This older, very sexy, and hot older girl.

Twenty minutes later, she’d seduced him in the back of her car. It took less than a minute before Josh had come inside of her and she hadn’t seemed to mind. In fact, she told him she wanted to see him again.

A week later they were the most talked about couple at school. He’d been able to flaunt her in front of Tiffany just like he’d wanted. And even though the rumors flew about how Michele was secretly with some college guy, Josh didn’t care. He was out for himself and that was all that mattered.

They managed to get it on pretty much anywhere they could on school premises without being caught. In between that time, Josh became infatuated with her, despite his friends warning him that Michele was using him. There were times where Michele seemed to be honest and sincere and an all over lovely person to him. He began to forget why he’d gotten with her in the first place – to make his ex-girlfriend jealous.

The rumors persisted and while Josh pretended not to care, secretly he hoped they were just that – rumors.

A month later when Michele dumped him, it shouldn’t have come as a surprise but it did and Josh was devastated. He’d gone from feeling like a king to feeling like a joker.

It was then that he vowed he would always have the last say in the rest of his relationships.

 

JC woke up feeling quite groggy the next morning. The sex with Morgan had been just okay and he knew she couldn’t have thought it was all that great. They seemed to be on a slow path of destruction when it came to their sex life together. What had started out as three very hot and steamy lovemaking sessions had quickly turned into a very awkward and messy romp.

He knew it was partly due to these flashbacks he’d kept having lately. He had no idea why all of the sudden they seemed to creep up like they had been but it was starting to worry him. He wondered if he should see someone about it but then he’d have to own up to a lot of shit that he didn’t feel like dealing with and he had a lot of other stuff that was starting to pile up at work.

He slowly rolled out of Morgan’s bed and reached for his clothes that were strewn all over the floor. He wanted to duck out before she woke up and he thought he had succeeded until he heard her stir and groan just as he was reaching for the door.

“Do you have to be in early today?” Morgan sat up in bed and pulled the sheet over her. “You can stay for coffee if you want.”

“No, I need to get to the office and before that I need to change and shower.” JC reached into his pocket to retrieve his keys when he noticed Morgan slipping out of bed and walking over to him.

“Okay. Well, thanks for last night.” She looked up at him and smiled.

“Yeah. See you later.” JC knew she was trying to seduce him again but he wasn’t in the mood and after the last go with her, he didn’t know if he ever wanted to have Morgan again.

The sun was just creeping up from behind the clouds when JC walked outside of the apartment. He had about an hour before he needed to be back at the hotel. He needed to clear his head but there wasn’t any time. For some reason all he could think about was his first time with that dumb bimbo, Michele, who’d used him. He shook the thought from his mind but knew that it was because of her that it was easy to let women use him for sex and vice versa. He’d become something that he never, ever wanted to be.

 

“…and we’re at full capacity today so be on your toes.” Delaney was giving the morning briefing without JC, something that had never happened before. No one had questioned it and it didn’t really seem as though anyone cared that he was gone. If anything, it was more of a relief.

“Thanks, Delaney.” Chris nodded at her and Delaney smiled as she dismissed her staff. At that moment, the door of the staff room was thrown open and JC stood on the other side looking disheveled and out of sorts.

“Sorry I’m late.” He walked over to Delaney and the other staff, who were just about to disperse. “Okay, so what have we got for today?”

Delaney looked at him as if he were crazy. “You missed the meeting, Mr. Chasez. We’re done.”

JC shot her a look and through gritted teeth said, “Well, let’s review again, shall we?”

“We can review in your office. They’ve got to get to work.” Delaney retorted without batting an eye. “We didn’t know you were going to be a half hour late or else we would’ve gotten coffee and donuts.”

“Don’t be a smart ass, Ms. Nixon!” JC heard himself raise his voice and looked around at the staff who were all a bit surprised at his tardiness.

“Ok. I think we should take this into your office.” Delaney was trying to be as professional as she could and then turned to Chris, Joey, and the others. “Have a great day. See you all later.” Then to JC she said, “Let’s go, Mr. Chasez. I’ll tell you what we covered.”

JC huffed and turned on his heel with Delaney right behind him. They made the familiar trek back to his office and once inside, JC nearly slammed the door and got right in her face. “Those meetings do not happen without me there!”

“Well, you weren’t there and we had no choice! Don’t worry. It’s not a huge deal. You missed and I can fill you in. Once again, I’m not trying to take over your damn job. Once you get that in your thick head, I think life will be a lot easier for you.” Delaney turned and went to leave the office.

JC wouldn’t let her go.

“Just a minute!” He grit his teeth and snapped harshly at her.

Delaney slowly turned and raised an eyebrow at him. “Yes?”

“Who do you think you are? You come in here and try to take over and you keep telling me that’s not what you’re doing but your actions tell me otherwise. How dare you conduct a meeting without my being there!” He moved closer to her as to try and intimidate her, but Delaney stood her ground and stood firmly at the door.

“You were a half hour late! People have to work around here and we can’t all be waiting around for you. General Manager or not, Mr. Chasez, you know if it were anybody else, you would’ve had to start the meeting if you had been in my shoes.” Delaney waited for him to respond but JC just stood and gave her an icy stare. He was desperately trying to think of something to say, but for once nothing was coming to mind quick enough.

“Get out of my office. I’ll figure out what’s going on from John downstairs.” JC turned and hastily went over to his desk, picking up his phone and calling down to Guest Services.

Delaney said nothing but promptly gave the door a quick slam and went to her office. She groaned as she sat down at her desk and began to respond to emails from the night before. There was no winning with JC Chasez. None.

 

Andrea began to feel relief course through her as Todd’s car made its way out of Islamorada. He’d been gracious enough and let her stay with him the night before. She hadn’t said much, only that Morgan had had company and she didn’t wish to be there when she started entertaining. Two other members of the Concierge team, Joe and Liz, were sitting in the backseat sleeping, while an 80s mix played on Todd’s iPod.

Todd had been more than happy to see Andrea at his doorstep. He’d had a thing for her for weeks now and whether or not the rumors were true that she was sleeping with Mr. Chasez, he knew that this weekend away would give him a chance to prove himself to her.

“How’s the coffee?” Todd asked after a few minutes of silence. They’d stopped off at Starbucks on the way out of town and he’d glanced over to see Andrea sipping on her cup once or twice.

“It’s fine.” Andrea smiled at him and took another sip. She couldn’t seem to get the images of JC and Morgan out of her head no matter how hard she tried. She wondered how hard it would be to find another roommate or better yet, live on her own. She knew the latter was impossible on her salary, but anything was better than having to go back to that apartment again.

“You sure you’re okay?” Todd glanced at her through his sunglasses. Andrea couldn’t hide the fact that she was upset. It had been written all over her face since last night.

She knew she couldn’t tell him. Even if she felt betrayed by JC, he was still her boss and he could still fire her for blabbing.

“Yeah, I’m fine. Just ready for a weekend away from work.” That was a truthful answer and the best she could give him for now.

It seemed to work because Todd changed the subject and after Joe and Liz woke up, the car seemed to come to life with laughter and conversation. Andrea started to feel a little better and did what she could to push all thoughts of the night before out of her mind.

 

Morgan arrived at work on time and made sure her phone was turned on vibrate should any texts from JC come in. She knew that last night hadn’t been as steamy or as hot like it had in the past, but she also knew she could do for him more than her little twit of a roommate could. The sheer thought that Andrea had had him before her made Morgan smirk. Just looking at Andrea reminded her of some lost little girl who was naïve to anything having to do with life, especially sex.

By her third hour on her shift, Morgan started to get a little agitated. She knew he was at work but he’d yet to call or stop by the coffee shop. It was slower for a Saturday and she started to get bored. Once or twice she wondered if she should call him but decided quickly against it. That wasn’t how she played her game. Men came to her. They always came to her. She had never once had to beg for anything from a man and she certainly wasn’t going to start now.

“Can I get a latte, please?”

Morgan looked up to see the blonde girl from the spa. She already disliked Ashley because of the disapproving looks she’d given to Morgan on occasion.

“Sure.” Morgan turned away from her and began to make a Café Latte. She heard her phone buzz and jumped a little, almost spilling the espresso.
Ashley eyed her and watched as Morgan hastily made the latte and checked her phone in the process. It was something that was quite unprofessional and very frowned upon at the hotel. Every manager told their employees in explicit terms not to ever look at their phone in front of a customer.

Morgan slid the latte over to Ashley and snuck another peak at her phone.

“Waiting on something?” Ashley dared to ask her. She’d known about Morgan’s little tryst and wanted desperately to catch her in the act.

“No.” Morgan snapped at her and waited for Ashley to pay for the latte.

“Employee discount.” Ashley pointed to her nametag and Morgan rolled her eyes, voiding the previous purchase.

“I know that.” Morgan sighed and punched in the code into the cash register.

“So polite.” Ashley couldn’t help herself. She’d watched this girl flaunt and flirt with Mr. Chasez and she was honestly sick and tired of seeing more of her cleavage every time she came into The Cup.

“I’m sorry, do you have a problem?” Morgan countered as Ashley took her latte.

“Stop looking at your phone and pay attention to the customer. Doesn’t matter whether I’m an employee or not.” Ashley retorted and turned to leave.

Morgan watched her and rolled her eyes once more. She checked her phone and let out a groan seeing that it was only an email alert about college loan subsidizing. She checked the time. It was much past the time that he would have tried to get in touch with her.

He’s busy.

He’s in a meeting.

He’s probably got to make rounds.

He’s in another meeting.

By the end of her shift, she was speechless. He hadn’t called, hadn’t texted, and for the first time ever, Morgan felt desperate. She hated him for that.

She brushed the feeling of desperation off and headed for her car. It was ridiculous. He was just busy that day. He’d be back tomorrow. Morgan was sure of it.

And if he wasn’t, then maybe she’d allow herself to feel desperate.

Chapter 7 by Alysen Blaine
Author's Notes:
Enjoy, ladies! 

“Get it together, Chasez.” The words reverberated in JC’s head over and over again on Sunday as he made his way into the hotel. He hadn’t slept the night before because he’d had yet another flashback before he’d gone to sleep having to do with his mother. Then, he’d dreamt about meeting up with her again and woke himself up crying. Crying. He didn’t cry. Ever. Hell, he didn’t even feel anymore.

He bumped into Delaney on the way into his office. She smiled at him with that annoying, pleasant smile she always had plastered on her face and JC only tightened his lips together in response. Delaney ignored him as usual and kept on walking.

He entered his office and set his briefcase down, settling in behind his desk. He took out his phone and scrolled through a few unanswered text messages, seeing five from Morgan.

“God.” JC muttered and rolled his eyes. For someone who had pretended not to give two shits as to whether or not he called her, she sure was insistent. He’d already written her off. It was too messy with her living with Andrea and after what had transpired two nights ago, he just wasn’t as into her anymore.

He deleted her texts and opened his laptop to check his work email. A confirmation had appeared letting him know that he was all set for the IHRC convention in two weeks. It also confirmed that Delaney Nixon and Chris Kirkpatrick would be in his party. JC had to chuckle. JC already knew Chris was bringing Ashley and the three of them – Chris, Ashley, and Delaney- would form their own party without him. It was fine. He was their boss. He was sure he’d find entertainment of his own. Last year he’d managed to hook up with two bartenders after hours. He was sure he could pull it off again this year, no problem.

A reminder popped up in the left hand corner of his screen letting him know he needed to book his flight to Ocho Rios for the convention. This was when he wished  HR had let him hire an assistant for him as opposed to another hotel manager. He huffed loudly and began to search for flights.

His phone buzzed and he looked down seeing yet another text from Morgan. It was a picture of her in nothing but a pair of thongs. JC wanted to move past this one. But she was going to make it difficult.

He texted her back.

Ten minutes later, she was at his office door.

“You’re an insistent little thing.” He greeted her and Morgan walked in, immediately undressing for him.

She turned around and faced him. “I just want you, boss.” Her uniform was in a puddle around her feet and she stepped out of it, walking toward him. Her bra was lacy and red and it matched her lipstick.

“You know the rules.” JC moved away from her. He wasn’t going to make this easy.

“I’m following them.” Morgan stood in front of him and reached behind her, slowly unclasping her bra. Her full breasts were all he could focus on now and she knew it.

“You can’t text me so much.” He grabbed her and forcefully pushed her against his desk. His mouth sucked on her neck. “But I’ll let that go for now.”

Morgan sucked in a breath and leaned back onto the desk, pulling him on top of her.

“I’ll be good from now on.” Morgan whispered.

JC shimmied out of his pants and pushed a stack of papers onto the floor.

 

“Delaney, have you seen Mr. Chasez?” Joey asked, popping his head into her office.

Delaney had been busy responding to guest emails and looking over comments about the hotel on TripAdvisor when she looked up and saw Joey at her door.

“Oh, hey! Yeah, he was headed into his office about twenty minutes ago. Why?” She pushed her laptop to the side.

“He was supposed to meet with the bartenders about a half hour ago and we can’t get a hold of him.” Joey looked behind him towards JC’s office. “And you know how weird he is about us low life’s going into his office.”

Delaney stood up. “Come with me, then. I’m sure he’s in there.” She was a little concerned at the fact that JC had missed a meeting. He was normally the one who was all about people being on time and prompt. Lately, she’d noticed he’d become somewhat of a slacker in that area.

“It’s weird, Joey.” Delaney told him as they walked towards JC’s office. “He’s usually so on top of things like this that-“ Delaney and Joey stopped dead in their tracks. She’d opened the door only to find JC and Morgan having sex on his desk.

“Looks like he’s found something else to be on top of.” Joey couldn’t help but crack a joke, even as awkward as the situation was.

“Shit! Fuck!” JC fell over Morgan and onto the floor and when he tried to get up, tripped over his feet and fell flat on his face. Morgan sat up in shock and tried to cover herself but it was no use. “Get out!” He yelled at Delaney and Joey.

“Your door was open, Chasez. If you’re going to be doing stuff like this, you should probably lock it.” Delaney was beyond caring at all how she came across. She looked at Morgan. “I think you need to gather your clothes and get back to work.”

“Oh my god am I gonna be fired? Ms. Nixon, please, I swear this is the only time this has happened and-“

Delaney frowned at Morgan. “I swear I think you’re lying. Get back to work.”

Joey still stood at the door and gawked until JC was on his feet and swearing at him to get out of his office.

“Look, boss, you had a meeting with the bartenders a half hour ago. That’s all we were trying to do. Come find you and see what had happened.” Joey turned to leave. “I’ll tell them we’ll reschedule.”

“Yeah, fine, whatever.” JC grumbled and finished getting dressed again. Morgan had snuck out before she had a chance to say anything else. It was just Delaney and JC in the office.

“I could report you.” Delaney quietly said and watched as JC cleaned up the mess on his desk.

“Yeah, I bet you could.” JC didn’t look at her.

“Look, you’re good at what you do. You’re a pain in my ass most of the time, but you’ve got this hotel running on five stars and that’s hard to do. I don’t know what’s going on with you lately, but you know stuff like this has to stop. Everyone knows you’re sleeping with Morgan and we all know about your history with the employees.” Delaney waited for him to interrupt her but he still refused to acknowledge her. “I’m just saying to be careful. That’s all.” She turned to leave and then looked back once more. “Also, if you want me to, I can book your flight when I book mine with Chris and Ashley’s.”

“I’ll book my own flight.” JC was sharp and cold. “Now get out.”

“Fine. Have it your way, then.” Delaney left and closed the door behind her. She shivered at what she’d just witnessed. JC came across so suave in front of everyone but what she’d just experienced showed her that even the most put together men were still sleazy underneath it all.

 

Joey’s brisk walk down the hallway had turned into a run by the time he entered the lobby. He slowed down, trying to look as professional as possible in front of the guests. Inside, he was about to explode and he had to tell somebody. The problem was, he needed to be extremely careful with who he told and he knew it. Todd was still in the Keys with the Concierge entourage and there were only a select group of bartenders that he trusted after that.

He was so deep in thought that he nearly bumped into Ashley, who was making her way from the lobby back to the spa.

“Whoa!” Ashley put up her hand in effort to stop him. “Easy, Joe. Where are you going in such a hurry?”

Joey looked at Ashley and it dawned on him that he had to find Chris. Now.

“Oh, hey, um, where’s Chris?” He continued to speed walk as he spoke and Ashley was doing her best to keep up with him.

“He’s in his office, I think. Why? Is something wrong?” Ashley asked and they headed out the large double doors to the outside courtyard across from the spa. That’s when Joey stopped in his tracks and looked to his left and then his right before he spoke again.

“Text him. Tell him to meet you in the corridor by the gym.” Joey’s voice was so low that Ashley could barely hear him and had to listen close just to understand what he was saying.

“What’s going on?” She pulled away and eyed him with a suspicious look.

“Just text Chris!” Joey was insistent and he was rather proud of himself that he hadn’t spilled the news already to Ashley.

“Okay. I will.” Ashley pulled her phone out of her pocket and quickly texted her fiancé. Within seconds he’d replied, letting her know he’d be there in two minutes.

Joey and Ashley made there way over to the gym, which was right across from the spa and overlooked the ocean.

“What’s he doing here?” Chris asked when he’d met up with Joey and Ashley.

“I told you Joey asked us to meet him here!” Ashley answered.

“Oh. I didn’t see that part. I just saw something about meeting you in the corridor. I thought you wanted to do something kinky.” Chris raised his eyebrows playfully at her and Ashley rolled her eyes. Joey couldn’t help but chuckle.

“Well, apparently kinky is on the brain of a lot of people here,” he said.

“Spill it.” Ashley shook her head at him. “You’ve obviously got to tell us something. And from what you just said I’m only more intrigued.”

“I walked into his office and Mr. Chasez and that girl from the coffee bar were fucking. On his desk. Like going hard and everything.” Joey waited for their response but all Ashley and Chris could manage to do was stand there, mouths open and eyes wide.

“Holy shit, dude.” Chris finally said. “Are you serious?”

“Dead serious. Delaney and I were trying to find him because he had a meeting with the bartenders that he missed. Walked right into his office and his ass was the first thing that greeted us.” Joey was trying to talk as softly as possible but was also gesturing with his hands as he told his story.

“So what happened? Did you leave or-“ Chris started to ask but Joey cut him off.

“Hell no we didn’t leave. He heard the door and got all pissed with us and the girl was all apologetic, telling Delaney this had never happened before and begging her not to get fired.” He shook his head. “That girl’s a fucking liar. She’s got that look, you know? She’s dirty.”

“Well, Mr. Chasez’s not exactly pure. I mean, what, two weeks ago wasn’t he doing that lobby greeter? And I told you guys I heard them talking about hooking up last week.” Ashley sighed. “This place amazes me. To be so proper and five star on the outside, we’ve got a guy who should just go manage a roach motel.”

“What did Delaney do after all that?” Chris asked.

“No clue. I busted ass to get out of there as quick as I could. I’m sure they had it out and Delaney gave him hell, as she should have.” Joey felt his phone buzz in his pocket. “Oh shit, guys I gotta go. I completely left the other guys back at the bar and I need to get back there and let them know the meeting is off.  See you at happy hour?” Joey asked as he backed away from Ashley and Chris.

“Absolutely.” Ashley nodded. “I can’t wait to see if anything happens from now until then.”

“See ya.” Chris waved Joey off and then looked at Ashley. “Let’s go get coffee.”

Ashley burst out laughing. “You mean from The Cup? Are you kidding me? I can’t walk in there and look at that girl now! And you know you’ll just say something smart to her.”

“We’ll make it a game.” He pulled Ashley’s arm toward him. “Whoever bursts out laughing first loses.”

No!” Ashley was still giggling as Chris tugged at her to follow him. “Chris, I need to get back to the spa and you should probably get back to work, too.”

“Fine.” Chris let her go and quickly kissed her lips. “I’ll see you at five.”

“Bye, baby.” Ashley walked away and headed back to the spa.

 

The ocean was calm that evening in the Keys. Todd had made a bonfire and everyone was gathered around drinking beer and watching the sunset. Andrea had been off in her own world for most of the trip and Todd had noticed it. Even though earlier that day she’d enjoyed paddle boarding with him and a game of beach volleyball, she wasn’t her normal, happy self.

By now, Andrea had been drinking for a good two hours straight and was feeling the buzz from her head to her toes. She hadn’t said much to anyone and was taking everything in, dreading the next day when she’d have to go back to her apartment and face Morgan.

“You okay?” Todd asked, sitting down next to her. “You’re not so much yourself this weekend.”

“I got fucked over.” Andrea had hardly said a curse word in her entire life but she was so gone by now that she didn’t care. “By my roommate. That fucking bitch Morgan.”

“What did Morgan do?” Todd moved closer to her and put his arm around her shoulder.

Andrea immediately burst into tears and cupped her face in her hands. Nobody else seemed to notice but Todd managed to pull her away from the crowd just in case. She stumbled a bit as she followed him away from the bonfire and to a secluded part of the beach.

“What did Morgan do?” Todd repeated the question and let Andrea cry into his shoulder before she was able to answer him.

“Todd, I’m stupid. I’m so fucking stupid.” Andrea looked up at him, tears still rolling down her cheeks.

Todd cringed inside and knew what she was talking about. It was exactly what Joey had told him weeks ago. Andrea had slept with Mr. Chasez. She didn’t have to tell him, he could put the pieces of the puzzle together easily. Still, he wanted to give her a chance and was silent as she spoke again.

“I slept with JC. I mean, Mr. Chasez. And I thought he liked me because….because he was my first and he kept calling me and…and I made myself start to believe that he was into me, you know?” Andrea sniffed and the tears began to fall once more. “But he didn’t. He was sleeping with Morgan the whole time he was with me.”

Todd knew that Joey loved to be right about everything. And he was absolutely, without a doubt, right on what he’d said about JC sleeping with Andrea. And the girl from the front desk. And now Morgan.

“He’s disgusting, Andrea.” Todd finally said, just above a whisper. “You didn’t know. Don’t blame yourself, okay?” He looked at Andrea who was still a sobbing mess. “Mr. Chasez is a disgusting excuse for a man. You’re not the first woman he’s done this to.”

“Obviously, because Morgan-“

“Morgan is a slut. I had her pegged the first day I met her. I can guarantee that JC meant nothing to her and she meant nothing to him. They were both using each other.” Todd stroked Andrea’s hair and soon her crying ceased.

“I don’t want to go back to that apartment.” Andrea finally spoke up and lifted her head from Todd’s shoulder. She wiped her face on the sleeve of the long-sleeved t-shirt that covered her bathing suit.

Todd wanted to make it better for her but he knew offering to let her stay with him when he was so crazy about her was dangerous.

“I’ll go back with you to the apartment tomorrow. We’ll figure something out for you.”

Andrea looked up at him and smiled. “You’re so great, Todd. Thanks.”

Todd locked eyes with her and couldn’t help himself from leaning down and kissing her. In her drunken state, she didn’t push him away.

 

When Delaney entered Chancey’s that evening, she was greeted by a very enthusiastic Chris and Ashley, who’d saved her usual spot next to them. Ashley was almost giddy as she patted the bar stool next to her, urging Delaney over to her.

“Hey.” Delaney looked at Ashley warily. “What is up with you tonight?”

“Omigod, Delaney, you have to tell us what happened today!” Ashley couldn’t contain herself any longer.

Delaney looked over at Joey, who looked like a deer caught in headlights. “Really? You know you shouldn’t be telling people!”

“Fire me.” Joey shrugged and then immediately, realizing what he’d said, took it back. “I mean, don’t fire me. Suspend me for a day. Or something like that that’s not as bad as firing me!”

Delaney laughed at him. “Whatever. It’s bound to get out anyway. If not from you, from Morgan.”

“You should fire her,” said Ashley, taking her drink in her hand. “That chick has had it coming from day one.”

“I can’t fire her. Only JC has that power. And he can’t really fire her without getting himself in trouble. And since he’s the GM, that’s kind of impossible.” Delaney sighed and shook her head, then raised an eyebrow. “Although…” She trailed off and looked from Chris to Ashley to Joey. “Although, there’s that rich family over in Tennessee that has some sort of ownership to this place. Their great-great-grandfather built The Chancellor after Henry Flagler built The Breakers. They come down every so often to stay here and check out everything. Crap, I can’t remember their names.”

“What, do they have power over Chasez or something?” Chris asked.

“Sort of.” Delaney nodded. “Technically, they own the property. And they’re pretty particular about who runs everything.”

“Wait a minute.” Chris snapped his fingers and nodded quickly. “When we were teenagers valeting out here, their grandson came out for a summer and worked with us. He was a snotty little punk ass because he kept dropping his name around and saying his dad could fire anyone he didn’t like. He got really close with JC.”

“Of course he did.” Joey rolled his eyes. “JC’s gonna kiss anyone’s ass who can get him ahead.”

“Shit, what was his name?” Chris looked down at the bar as if it had the answer scribbled on it. “Something Timber. Timberwood? Timberland? Timberlake! Timberlake, that’s it! Justin Timberlake was the grandson. I think he was here a year or so ago with his wife and kids.”

“I’ll do some research,” said Delaney, strumming her fingers on the bar. “I don’t know protocol for this because I’ve never been put in a position like it before. But perhaps if I made a phone call to Mr. Timberlake and told him he needed to come down here, maybe he could talk to JC or something.”

“Get him fired.” Joey muttered.

“He’s a good GM.” Delaney couldn’t believe she was defending JC. “He just needs accountability of some sort.” She hopped off the barstool.

“Where are you going? You didn’t finish your drink.” Ashley pointed out.

“I’m going to make some phone calls. The sooner Mr. Timberlake gets here, the better it is for all of us.”

Chapter 8 by Alysen Blaine

Justin Timberlake hadn’t been the easiest person to get a hold of that was for sure. Delaney had called the number she’d found on a database in the office and left two messages. She’d also emailed him and when he finally returned the email, it was a generic response that simply thanked her for contacting him and that he would respond at his earliest convenience.

One week later, her phone rang just as she was about to close down the office for the evening and when she saw the number on the caller ID, along with the name of the city and state, she knew it had to be Mr. Timberlake.

“Hello, this is Delaney Nixon.” She gave her most professional greeting and settled back into her office chair.

“Delaney, this is Justin Timberlake. How are you?” He sounded cheerful and kind, not at all like she’d thought of him, judging from Chris and Joey.

“I’m doing well, thanks. And yourself?”

“Not bad at all. Listen, got your messages and email and I’m sorry I’m just now responding. The missus and I just got back from St. Barts. Anyway, so there’s trouble with Chasez?”

Delaney took a breath before she answered the question, knowing that whatever she said was likely to be documented. She didn’t want JC fired she just wanted him to be held accountable. She knew Ashley, Chris, and Joey would like nothing more than for his forced resignation, but Delaney knew he was a good GM and once he got a hold of his issues, the hotel could be even more spectacular than it was.

“Well, he’s just been…a little distracted as of late, I guess you could say.”

“Distracted how? I need details. I don’t want my family hotel to be drug through the mud.”

Delaney cleared her throat. “Right. Well, I think there’s been some indiscretion with some of the female employees and-“

“Indiscretion how, exactly?”

“Inappropriate behavior.” Delaney was trying so hard not to flat out say, “He’s been fucking all of your staff” and continued. “I think he’s been engaging in some indecent affairs.” There. That sounded about right. And she had to sound professional. Fucking the employees -as much as she wanted to tell him that- was not.

“Indecent affairs. I see.” Mr. Timberlake was quiet for a moment. “Well, the family and I will be visiting in a few weeks. I would come down sooner but I’ve just been asked to oversee a project on a resort over in Virginia Beach and with my son’s soccer schedule, it’s a little difficult to get away sooner.”

“No, I definitely understand, Mr. Timberlake. We leave for the IHRC convention next weekend and I know this next week will be busy with getting all the ends and outs done at the hotel before we leave.” Delaney swiveled in her office chair and felt some relief knowing that Mr. Timberlake was at least going to come and check things out for himself.

“Ok. Well, how about I come a few days after you get back?”

Delaney smiled. “Perfect. Should I tell the staff you’re coming?”

“No. We have a private house on the island and for this situation it’s best if I pop in one day.”

“Great. Thank you so much, Mr. Timberlake.”

“Thank you for making me aware, Delaney. Take care of my family hotel.”

“Will do, sir. See you in a few weeks.”

“Goodbye.”

Delaney hung up the phone and stared at it for a few minutes. She felt relief and yet, in a small way, uncertainty. She knew she should’ve been ecstatic that help was on its way. But at the same time, she also felt as though she was going behind JC’s back.

“You shouldn’t feel guilty.” Ashley told her that evening at Chancey’s. “You did the right thing. He’s a screw up and needs to be held accountable.”

“Yeah, I agree.” Chris nodded. “And you said Timberlake was nice?”

“Extremely,” Delaney said, as she took a sip of her martini. “Very professional and got right to the point.”

“You should see the family house. It’s like a small hotel.” Joey was pouring another beer for Chris. “We snuck on property once. Supposedly, there’s like underground tunnels or something.”

“That’s a rumor.” Ashley corrected him. “Just like it’s a rumor that they used his house to film one of the openings for a Nicholas Sparks movie.”

“How do you guys know all this stuff?” Delaney chuckled. “Am I just completely out of the loop?”

“You’ll learn soon enough.” Joey assured her. “Just give yourself a little more time here.” He slid another martini in her direction. “Also, the three of you are going to Ocho Rios and leaving me all alone. What will I do without the hotel gossip?”

“Take a day off and spend it with your kid.” Chris told him. He looked at Delaney. “That is, if it’s ok with you, of course.”

Delaney nodded her head. “You’re here everyday. Take that Saturday off and go have fun with your family.”

Joey gave a fake salute. “Yes ma’am. Janelle will be thrilled when I tell her I don’t have to work on a Saturday.”

Delaney took a sip of her drink and smiled at the people surrounding her. The transition down to Florida had been tough, but the three new friends she had made were making it bearable. Especially when it came to dealing with the one person they all despised.

 

“Is this all of it?” Todd asked Andrea, as she zipped up her suitcase.

For the last week, Andrea had been staying at Todd’s and had completely ignored Morgan whenever she saw her at work.

Morgan had tried to pretend as though nothing was wrong and that she didn’t care where her roommate slept. At the same time, she was still trying to deal with losing JC. She hadn’t been called back to his office in days now and no text or dirty picture seemed to be doing the trick anymore.

“Yeah, that’s it.” Andrea replied and looked around the now barren room. Todd had an extra room at his place and even though he and Andrea were just at the beginning stages of dating, she’d agreed that it was better to live with him than with a roommate she didn’t trust.

As they walked back into the living room, the front door opened and Morgan walked into the apartment, a look of indifference on her face.

“Where are you going?” She asked and looked at Andrea as if she were the most insignificant human being in the world.

“None of your business. But I’m leaving. My rent’s paid up til the end of the month. Have fun finding a new roommate.” Andrea snapped and turned on her heel. Todd said nothing, only followed her out.

“Don’t let the door hit you on the ass.” Morgan muttered and turned her back as the door closed behind her. “Bitch.” Morgan sighed and plopped down on the couch, taking out her phone and scrolling through texts she’d sent to JC.

How could he just off her like that? No man had ever just given her up, they’d always come crawling back to her. And it made Morgan mad with herself that she was so hung up on him. Granted, the sex had been mediocre the last few times, but still.

She debated on whether or not to text him one last time and gave in to her impatience.

 

JC made his way through the lobby and looked over at the front desk agents, all busy checking in new guests or on the phone. He saw a new one at the end with platinum blond hair and a smile that he was immediately attracted to. He started to make his way over when he was almost plowed down by Chris and Joey, who were on their way up to Food and Beverage for a meeting.

“Oops, sorry boss.” Chris quickly moved out of JC’s way and pulled Joey towards him.

“Watch where you’re going.” JC snapped.

“Just trying to get to the meeting on time.” Joey shook his head and didn’t care if it looked disrespectful or not. He’d seen JC eyeing a new victim and had pushed Chris in front of him to try and block it.

“Then leave on time.” JC pushed past them and they watched as he made his way over to the end of the front desk.

“You tried.” Chris sighed as he and Joey continued their trek up to the Food and Beverage office.

“I hope Mr. Timberlake gets here sooner than later. Before the entire female staff gets screwed.” Joey grumbled.

“Maybe that girl will call him out?” Chris was posing a question, not a statement.

Joey shrugged. “Who the hell knows. Timberlake needs to see it for himself, I guess.”

 

“I hope your training has gone well.” JC was saying to the new desk agent. Her name was Kym. She was 23 and fresh out of college, just like the rest of the girls he went after.

“It’s gone great. Thanks, Mr. Chasez.” Kym responded with a quick smile and went back to work.

“If you ever need anything, you just let me know.” JC patted her hand and winked at her. Kym seemed to be focused on learning how to run credit cards and was too busy to notice the advances being made on her.

Frustrated, JC forced a tight smile, then headed back to his office. It was then that he checked his phone and saw the four missed text messages from Morgan.

What’s up?

You let me know when you want me in your office again ;)

You could at least let me know this is done.

Why are you ignoring me??

He deleted them promptly. It was done with Morgan and if she didn’t know it by now, she would just have to eventually find out whenever Kym decided she was interested.

Plus, he was leaving for Ocho Rios in the next week and he knew he’d find a willing accomplice to satisfy him there.

He leaned back in his office chair and swiveled around to face the ocean view from his panoramic window. Every time he saw Chris lately, his thoughts took him back to that summer when they’d worked in valet and spent the nights getting as trashed as possible and talking up every single female employee they met. Chris had become his best friend just as fast as he’d become someone JC despised.

All because of Ashley.

Ashley had picked Chris over him and JC had never let it go.

 

Four Years Earlier

 

JC watched her as she headed to her car in the massive employee parking lot. He’d tried day after day to get her to notice him. With other girls it hadn’t been so difficult. This one was downright oblivious to him.

Since her first day, JC had tried desperately to get her to pay attention to him. They’d gone out in bigger groups and when they had, he’d made it nearly impossible for her to sit next to anyone else but him. Other girls had been easy to woo. This one? Not at all.

Ashley was still in her spa uniform, walking briskly to her car, and pulling out her phone to check a text message.

“Hey, Ashley!” JC called to her and she looked over at him.

“Hey, JC. You about to leave, too?” She had reached her car and was leaning against the trunk while JC headed toward her.

“Yeah. Long day.” JC was lying. He still had at least another hour before he could even think about leaving. “Where are you headed?”

“I’m actually waiting on someone.” Ashley replied and looked over JC’s head as if she were looking for whoever it was.

“Oh, well, I can wait with you.” JC smiled and Ashley’s response was that of a tight smile, an indication that she wished he wouldn’t. JC ignored it and stayed.

“You know, Ashley, you should hang out with me one on one sometime.” JC wasted no time in going for what he wanted. “I’m in management now. Do you know how many perks we get and places we go for free? People on this island practically give stuff away when they realize who I am.”

Ashley laughed nervously and cleared her throat. “Um, yeah, that could be fun.”

“Seriously, though.” JC turned and faced her. “I think we’d have a lot of fun together.”

Ashley swallowed hard and bit her lip. She was just about to say something when she heard her name.

“Ashley!”

She looked over and relief coursed through her. It was Chris.

“Hey!” She waved at him and moved away from JC.

JC’s whole demeanor went cold when he saw who it was.

Chris looked at JC and nodded. “What’s up, C?”

“Oh, not much.” JC muttered and glanced at both of them, then stared at Ashley. “You’d have a much better time with me.”

“What?” Chris looked from JC to Ashley. “What’s he talking about?”

“Nothing.” Ashley shook her head. “JC, I’m sorry. I thought you knew? We’ve been dating for about a week now.”

“And you didn’t want to mention this?” JC felt his face flush.

“We didn’t really want the whole hotel to know,” Chris said. “Sorry, man.”

JC glared at Chris. “Uh huh. Well, you two have fun.” He turned quickly and made his way back to the office.

How the hell had Chris managed to snatch Ashley? He’d watched them interact before but just thought it was normal for Chris to make her laugh. That was his protocol with women. He made them laugh, but at the end of the day, they chose JC.

Not this time.

He would make sure to never speak to Chris again.

 

JC rolled his neck around so that it popped on each side and stared out at the ocean. He had it all. This hotel was his now.

But deep down, he was beginning to feel quite alone.

 

Morgan was now at her wits end. She’d heard nothing and despite the numerous texts and suggestive pictures, JC was finished with her. This had never happened before and she didn’t know how to cope.

The job at The Chancellor was supposed to have been something to get her out of her college town and onto something more glamorous. Serving coffee had not been ideal, but it was something that definitely kept her busy. She’d flirted with a few patrons but it was nothing serious. Not like she had with JC. And now that was most definitely over.

Morgan folded her arms across her chest and stared out of her apartment window onto the ugly view of the parking lot below. Her mind was racing and if she thought long and hard, she knew something would come to her.

A smile spread across her face when the idea struck her.  It would take a few weeks, but she knew exactly how to get back at JC Chasez now.

Chapter 9 by Alysen Blaine
Author's Notes:
Yes, it's back! Thanks for your patience while I figured out what to do with Delaney and JC. I hope you like this next chapter ;)

The hotel lobby was completely different than the lobby at The Chancellor. For one thing, it was situated outside with just a few awnings to cover guests from weather. A bar was situated across from the registration desk and Delaney had already been eyeing the Pina Colada, which had been the featured Drink of the Day when they’d checked in.

“What time is the first session?” Chris asked, as he and Ashley walked over to Delaney. They’d all checked in together. Chris and Ashley were on a floor above Delaney. Nobody had seen JC since the day before when they’d briefly had a meeting discussing the conference.

“I think not til seven.” Delaney pulled her phone out of her handbag and quickly looked up the meeting times. “Yep. Seven in the Coconut Palms Conference Hall.”

“Coconut Palms Conference Hall? What a name.” Chris chuckled.

“Well it’s Ocho Rios. They can get away with it.” Delaney put her phone back in her purse. “It’s just three now. I say we change and get a drink. We’ve got a lot of time to kill.”

JC walked into the lobby and saw Delaney, Chris, and Ashley directly in front of him. He hoped they wouldn’t notice him. He wanted to remain as separated from them as possible this trip.

The flight had been uneventful, even if he’d scheduled himself in first class. The drinks were mediocre and the food was bland. Not at all what he’d been accustomed to in previous first class flights. He was excited to get to his room. He’d already booked an exclusive suite and he knew he’d be far away from his other employees.

“Shit.” Chris looked right at JC as he passed by them on the way to the check-in desk.

“Hi, JC.” Delaney didn’t care if he was purposely ignoring them or not. She would be damned if he was going to completely ignore them.

JC begrudgingly looked over at the three and gave a small wave, then headed to check into his room. He could almost hear the whispers behind him. They were probably going on about how rude he was, how mean he was, how sleazy he was. JC didn’t care. At the end of the day, he managed and ran the most exclusive hotel in Florida. And they didn’t.

“Let’s go. Forget being nice.” Chris turned and Ashley and Delaney followed him to the set of elevators on the other end of the lobby.

 

The bar was crowded by the time Chris, Ashley, and Delaney came back downstairs. Opting instead to go outside, they found a shaded spot near one of the pool bars instead. Delaney wasn’t content until the Pina Colada was in her hand and she could hear the sound of island music being pumped through the speakers outside. If it hadn’t been for the convention, Delaney might have felt as if she were on a real vacation.

“Ok, so you guys have a meeting after dinner and then a cocktail hour in one of the bars inside.” Ashley was reading over Chris’ schedule. “That shouldn’t be too bad for tonight. We can hang out after your first meeting.”

“True.” Chris nodded and took the schedule from Ashley’s hands. “Or you and I could just go hang out. You know, in case Delaney has big boss meetings to attend.”

“Chris, if you’d rather just hang out with Ashley just tell me. Really, I’d rather not be a third wheel.” Delaney moved her sunglasses down and eyed Chris. “And honestly, I’m going to be so tired from traveling I’ll probably skip the cocktail hour and just go to bed. Those cocktail hours are nothing but a meat market anyway.”

“So you’re saying they’re run by JC?” Chris snickered and Ashley and Delaney couldn’t help but laugh.

“Probably. I’m dying to see who he hooks up with this weekend.” Ashley sipped on her daquiri. “Although given the hotel staff here not knowing his reputation, I’d say he had a fair shot at whoever he wanted.”

 

Flashback. Graduation  1994

 

“Congratulations, Josh.”

Josh glared at her. How dare she come back today of all days and try to reconcile? She was ruining it just like she had ruined everything.

“Josh, don’t just stand there!” Karen pushed him gently. “Go tell her hello. She drove all the way across the country to see you.”

Josh looked at Lisa, his biological mother. A woman he hadn’t laid eyes on in nearly fourteen years. Here she was standing before him dressed in grey pants and a blouse that didn’t match her shoes. Her hair was unkept and next to her were two little boys – his biological brothers he was guessing – staring up at him in awe.

“Hey.” Josh warily walked over to her.

“Oh, Josh!” Lisa immediately grabbed him in a hug. He stood there in her arms, feeling quite awkward. “Josh, I’m so sorry for all I put you through. But look at you now. You’re all grown up and graduating and-“

“And what are you doing?” Josh snapped at her.

“Joshua!” Karen hissed behind him. “Be nice!”

“I-I’m living in Washington State. With my boys. These are your brothers. Max and Luke.” She pulled away from him and moved her hand onto each of the younger boys’ shoulders.

“So you were able to get your act together to have two more kids? Do they have the same dad?” Josh folded his arms across his chest and glared at her. “Or did he walk out on you, too?”

“Josh, please, I only came here to see you on your graduation and tell you I was sorry for everything. I know I made a mess of your life as a child, but Karen told me how well you were doing and –“

Josh turned abruptly and faced his mother. “You knew she was coming?”

Karen’s jaw dropped and she chose her words carefully before speaking. “Joshua, I thought it would be a good thing. I wanted Lisa to see you graduate. She’s your biological mother. She’s not who she was when we got you.”

“As far as I’m concerned,” Josh began and turned to face Lisa once more. “Karen is my mother. You are just some mixed up slut who should have never been allowed to have children in the first place. You’d better be glad I was able to graduate high school and not be all fucked up in the head because of how drugged up you were.”

“Joshua Chasez, that is enough.” Karen walked over to her son but Josh shook her hand away.

“I gotta go. See ya.” With that, he gave an abrupt turn and left.

 

JC woke up in a cold sweat and looked frantically around the hotel room. It was just five and he had drifted off to sleep over an hour ago. Dinner would begin in just a half hour downstairs before the first meeting. He quickly stood up from the bed and went into the bathroom to splash water on his face. Staring at himself in the mirror, he grimaced and shook his head. Too many flashbacks. Too many emotions welling inside of him and he couldn’t rid himself of them fast enough. He refused to feel or think or do anything that would make those memories of Lisa come back to haunt him again. She was the reason for everything that had gone wrong.

 

Josh watched her from his bedroom window. She was hugging Karen goodbye and wiping away a tear. ‘Good, let her cry,’ Josh thought to himself. He looked at the two little boys who were confused at everything going on around them. A part of him wished he had been able to talk to them. They were his biological siblings after all. Probably a lot easier to deal with than his goody-two-shoes sister and his wanna-be brother.

Lisa looked up at him staring out the window and Josh turned away. He balled his hands into fists and punched the air. The gall of her to come back and think they would ever reconcile. She’d abandoned him. She didn’t want him.

“Joshua Scott, you open this door right now!” Karen interrupted his thoughts and Josh sighed, going over and unlocking his bedroom door. Karen burst into the room and frowned at her son. “What was that about? You couldn’t be nice for five minutes?”

“You should have told me you invited her.” Josh glowered at his mother. “It’s my graduation day for god’s sake. Why’d you think bringing her here was a good thing?”

Karen sighed and rubbed her temples as she spoke. “Because she is your biological mother and she and I have kept in touch since you were here with us. I thought it might do you both good to see how each other was.”

“Well all I saw was a trashy whore who had two more bastard kids and wanted to pretend it was all fine!” Josh snapped and turned his back. “I gotta get ready for graduation, Mom.”

Karen sighed and closed the door as she left the bedroom. Josh was glad she couldn’t see him cry.

 

“Welcome to the IHRC Annual Convention!” Gerhard Baumgartner greeted everyone. Gerhard was the President and CEO of IHRC and Delaney had heard him speak at several conferences and meetings throughout her time in New York. He was from Germany and spoke with a thick accent. He had white blonde hair and always wore a three-piece suit, even if it was 100 degrees, which was the case for Ocho Rios.

“We are so thrilled you could all attend. We don’t want to keep you too long tonight as we know you are all tired from travel, but please let me introduce to you our guests for this weekend…”

Delaney sat back in her chair and took in the atmosphere around her. Most of the attendees weren’t even paying attention to Gerhard, but playing on their phones instead. She was trying to listen to the introductions, but at the same time could do it all by heart. They were the same speakers as they normally got for this convention. All bigwigs from hotels and resorts around the world. They would all say the same thing and inevitably try to coerce people to come to their breakout sessions the following two days. Her stomach was full from dinner and all Delaney could think about was going back up to her room and relaxing in the large garden tub in her bathroom.

“…and now please go and enjoy our open bar out by the Tiki Hut!” Gerhard said in his last statement. Almost immediately everyone rose from their seat, gave a quick applause, then quickly filed out of the conference room. Delaney followed suit, only instead of following everyone else, headed for the elevators.

“Not in the mood for a party?”

Delaney nearly ran right into JC. “Huh? Oh, hey. No, I’m tired and just want to go upstairs and relax.”

JC eyed her and forced a smile. “Yeah, I hear you. I’m probably going to the bar in the lobby instead.”

“You don’t want to be around people?” Delaney was doing her best not to ask, “You don’t want to meet your latest fuck?” and was proud of her effort.

“Nah, I kind of just want to drink alone as sad as that sounds.” JC actually let out a chuckle and Delaney could feel a smile spreading on her lips. It was a small smile, but the fact that she was even smiling at him was huge.

“Doesn’t sound sad to me. I’m not feeling so extraverted tonight.” Delaney shrugged and went to hit the elevator button. “Enjoy your evening.”

“You, too.” JC nodded at her and turned in the opposite direction. He had to laugh at himself about that reaction just now. Had he and Delaney actually been cordial to one another? It was probably the tropical air or the fact that they weren’t vying for competition to see who could be top dog at the hotel.

Whatever it was, JC was glad for it after the harrowing flashbacks he’d had earlier. As he headed toward the lobby bar, he passed Chris and Ashley who were holding hands and talking softly to each other. He caught Chris’ eye and gave him a quick nod, then continued his trek to the bar.

“Did JC just acknowledge you?” Ashley interrupted Chris.

“I think he did.” Chris stopped and looked back at JC’s path. “He’s going to the bar. He’s probably just happy that he’s about to get laid.” Chris looked back at Ashley. “Speaking of getting laid…”

Ashley giggled and squeezed his hand. “Let’s go loverboy.”

 

Delaney couldn’t relax. She had made the mistake of going on Facebook and looking at the recent congratulations of her ex’s new engagement. She knew things had been over for longer than the divorce had taken to finalize, but the fact that he had already moved on and gotten engaged was more than she could handle.

She let out a sigh and got out of the bathtub, quickly drying off. She checked the time on her phone. 8:30. It was much too early for bed, especially being that she was in an exotic location. But what else was she going to do? She knew Chris and Ashley were holed up in their room in bed and the only other person she knew was JC.

“I need to get out,” she muttered to herself. The worst thing she could do was sit in the hotel room and look at those posts of the ex and his fiancé. It would only make her feel worse.

Finally, she reasoned with herself to go downstairs, have one drink, and call it a night. There was nothing wrong with getting in bed at a decent hour, especially when she knew her day would be filled with meetings.

Changing into a pair of loose fitting jeans and a tank top, Delaney pulled her hair back into a ponytail, slipped on a pair of flip flops, and headed for the lobby bar.

JC nearly did a double-take when Delaney walked into the bar area of the lobby. She was dressed completely out of what he normally saw her in and that was a pants suit or work dress. She had on a cute pair of jeans, a tank top that fit her nicely around her breasts –he was a man after all and that was wear his eyes landed- and her hair was pulled away from her face so that he could see how defined her cheekbones were. JC knew it was the alcohol he’d consumed but he also knew a pretty woman when he saw her. He knew he’d never given her a second glance at the hotel, but this was different. This was not The Chancellor.

Delaney sat down at the opposite end of the bar. She ordered a gin and tonic, took out her phone, and replied to a text message from a friend in New York who’d asked her if she’d seen the news about Cale. She wished people weren’t so enamored with that, even if it was their way of caring. Just as she was responding, she felt someone sitting down next to her.

“Mind if I join you?”

Delaney looked up at JC. “Oh, hey.” She put her phone away and cleared her throat. “Just came down for a quick drink.”

“Oh yeah? Got bored of your room?” JC was playing with his beer bottle as he spoke to her.

“Something like that.” Delaney gratefully took the gin and tonic from the bartender and sipped it slowly, closing her eyes and savoring the taste. “That’s good.”

“Better than Joey makes?” JC eyed her and couldn’t help but be snide.

“Not better. Different.” Delaney wasn’t going to give him that satisfaction. It was already weird enough that she was sitting next to him at the bar and not arguing with him.

“Different.” JC nodded slowly and swigged his beer, looking away from her.

“Why are you being so…” Delaney had almost finished with ‘normal’ but refrained and instead said, “nice?”

JC continued looking straight ahead. “I don’t know. Maybe there’s just something about being on a tropical island or the fact that I don’t have to worry about running anything. Or maybe I’ve been nice all along and it’s your problem.”

Delaney snickered. “There it is. I knew you couldn’t go a whole conversation without being an ass.”

“Who’s being an ass?” JC glanced at her. “I’m just posing a thought is all.”

“So what you’re saying is that I’m the asshole and you’ve been welcoming and nice to me this whole time?” Delaney looked at him as if he were crazy.

“Yes.” JC didn’t bat an eye

“What’s scary is that I think you believe that’s true.” She finally turned and faced him. “You’ve given me hell since I got to the place and have been screwing every female employee that walks in that building!”

“I haven’t screwed you.” JC locked eyes with her and Delaney suddenly felt a weird sensation rush through her. He was looking at her with eyes that told her she needed to be careful.

“Yeah, well…” Delaney snorted and turned away from him. She looked down at her drink. “I think I’m going to take this upstairs. I’ll see you tomorrow, JC.”

“Wait, Delaney, c’mon. I was kidding.” JC pulled on her arm, coercing her back to the barstool.  I have been a jerk. And yeah, I’ve screwed a lot of women at the hotel. But maybe I’m turning a new leaf?”

Delaney eyed him cautiously. “You’re turning a new leaf in a matter of 24 hours?”

If he was completely honest, he had no idea what was making him feel nice towards Delaney or any of the other staff on the trip with them. But he’d go with it. He had to go with it. Delaney was proving to him that he needed to do whatever it took to play nice.

“I-yeah. Yeah.” For now, at least he thought to himself. “C’mon, drink up. It’s early.”

 

Those eyes. Those damn blue eyes kept staring at her intently and Delaney was too drunk to do anything about it. They’d been sitting at the bar for over three hours now drinking together. Anyone who observed them would guess they were together the way they were openly flirting with one another. Delaney had easily let it slip her mind that just hours before, she was gossiping with Chris and Ashley about what an ass JC was. But right now, her hand was grazing his thigh and his arm was draped loosely around her backside.

“Wanna go upstairs?” JC’s voice was soft and sultry. It gave Delaney a chill down her spine that she enjoyed and hated all at the same time.

“And what are we gonna do? You gonna fuck me like you do all those other girls?” Delaney rested her cheek in her hand and raised an eyebrow at him.

JC snickered. “Nah, not like the other girls.” JC leaned over and whispered into her ear, “Cause you ain’t a girl, mama. You’re a woman.”

Delaney was done. She felt the urge to jump in his lap right there at the bar but controlled it. “Let’s go.”

The elevator was crowded with other drunk convention guests. Many were laughing loudly and pressing the elevator button over and over again. Delaney stood quietly next to JC and waited for the next empty elevator to arrive. She brushed any sort of clarity or discernment from her mind. She tried not to think about what Ashley and Chris would think if they knew what she was going to –

“Ready?” JC tugged at her arm and Delaney followed him into the elevator with the hoards of other guests surrounding them.

JC leaned over and pressed the button to his floor, then pulled Delaney against him. He rested his fingers on her backside, squeezing it and causing Delaney to visibly shudder. She cleared her throat and didn’t look back at him, only watched the floor numbers light up in front of her and when the door opened on the twelfth floor, quietly let him push her towards the front and out into the hallway.

Following him down the long corridor, he stopped at the room nearest the end of the hallway. He pulled out his room key and swiped it, opened the door, and glanced at Delaney. “Ladies first.”

Delaney knew she was drunk but she also knew the huge risk she was taking right now. Flirting with him down at the bar was one thing, but going into that room she knew she would end up in bed with him. The thoughts of how much she’d hated him, how much she’d wanted him gone, and how often she bad-mouthed him with Chris, Joey, and Ashley reverberated in her head. But he was looking at her like she hadn’t been looked at in a long time. He wanted her and she knew it. Because she wanted him just as much.

She cast it all aside and walked into his hotel room. The door shut behind her and when she turned around, JC was walking toward her.

“Did you ever think this would happen?” He moved a strand of hair from her eyes and cupped her cheek in his palm. Bringing her face towards his, he kissed her, not giving her a chance to respond to the question he’d posed.

Delaney’s lips were on fire just like the rest of her body. She didn’t answer, only kissed him back. They both knew that neither of them had ever expected to be in this situation with each other.

JC kissed her jawline and down her neck, slowly walking her to the bed. Delaney felt frozen and out of control. She already knew this was going to be good.

He reached down and lifted her tank top away from her body. It was so swift and fast that Delaney didn’t realize he’d done it until she felt her arms above her head and heard her shirt hit the ground.

“Pink, huh?” JC said, referring to the color of her bra. He played with the strap on her shoulder, his fingers sliding up and down on her skin.

“Surprised?” Delaney’s arms were around his neck and she moved closer to him, pressing her breasts against his chest.

“You don’t seem like the type who’s into anything but black or white.” His fingers continued to toy with her strap while Delaney played with his belt buckle.

“I’m full of surprises.” She undid his belt and then unzipped his jeans. JC’s eyed widened when her hand wrapped around his shaft.

“Yes. Yes, you are.” He moved so that he could lie down on the bed but Delaney shook her head.

“No. We’re not getting in bed yet.” She was moving her hand up and down faster and with a strong grip.

“Delaney, shit, I, I gotta lie down or-or something.” JC was groaning and Delaney snickered, continuing to pump her hand against him. She let him have his way and he sat down on the bed, pulling her into his lap. They began to kiss each other like animals. It was sloppy and wet but somehow they both found it very sexy.

Delaney was soon straddling him in nothing but her panties and JC was completely naked beneath her. She kissed her way down his body and looked up at him before she took his shaft into her mouth.

JC was going crazy with desire for this woman. This woman who just earlier that day he’d wanted nothing to do with. But the alcohol and the way she was fucking him in her mouth right now made him forget everything he’d ever hated about her.

“Oh god, Delaney. That feels so good. Keep going. Keep doing that.” He had had many women do this very thing to him. But whatever she was doing with her tongue and her teeth down there was like nothing he’d ever experienced. She was giving a whole new meaning to it.

He felt himself about to let go and his hand moved to her hair which covered the lower half of his body. He pulled it as he came and let out a satisfied moan as he did. As Delaney crawled back to him, JC lay there in a stupor. He wanted more of her. He wanted all of her.

“How was that?” Her voice was raspy in his ear and she kissed his neck, her hand splayed across his stomach.

JC could only let out a breath of air in response. He rolled over on top of her and looked her in the eyes. “You’re about to get a good little treat, mama. You just close your eyes and wait for it.”

He was deliberate in where he licked and sucked as he made his way down her body. He liked to hear her little moans and grunts as he kissed the skin on her inner thigh and when he pulled her panties to the side, Delaney rolled her neck to the side.

He couldn’t wait to see what else she’d do.

He started off slow, licking her slit and then rubbing her with his thumb. She was wet and it was already getting him hard thinking about being inside of her. He rolled his tongue around her clit and began to finger her at the same time.

“JC…oh my god…JC!”

JC chuckled against her center. He’d barely done anything and she was already on the verge of coming.

“You like that, huh, baby?” He continued licking and rubbing her, taking turns with his thumb and his tongue.

“JC…” Delaney was gasping as he pushed three fingers inside of her. He looked up at her as he went in and out of her and Delaney couldn’t take it any longer.

“Shit!” She threw her head back and JC watched as her legs twitched on either side of him.

Mission accomplished, he thought to himself as he crawled back onto the bed with her.

They lay next to each other, not speaking a word. Delaney turned her head and looked at JC. “I hate to tell you but that was pretty fucking great.”

JC laughed. “You hate to tell me?”

“Your head is already big enough as it is. I don’t want to make it any bigger.”

JC rolled on top of her. “You’re good at making me bigger.” It was a terrible innuendo and JC knew it, but he knew Delaney was beyond caring. They both just wanted one thing right now.

Delaney locked eyes with him and JC felt her wrap her legs around his waist. He slipped inside of her and they both began to rock against each other.

“I can’t believe this.” Delaney could hardly get the words out.

“Can’t…believe what?” JC grunted and began to push faster.

“I can’t believe we’re doing this!” Delaney caught up with his rhythm and JC grabbed her hands, pulling them above her head.

“We should’ve done it a long time ago.” He began to suck on her neck and soon they were going at each other fast and rough. At one point, JC pulled out and held her against him, entering her from behind. His hands massaged her breasts and when he began to roll both of her nipples with his fingers, Delaney lost all sense of control. She hated to admit it. He was the best sex she’d ever had.

An hour later, Delaney was putting her clothes back on and JC was watching her from the bed. He was sprawled on his side, still naked, his elbow propping him up.

“You don’t have to go,” he told her.

“Yes, I do. I can’t walk out of your room tomorrow morning.” Delaney fastened her bra and reached for her tank top.

“It’s already two-thirty in the morning. So technically…” JC raised an eyebrow.

“I stayed too late as it is.” She pulled her hair back into a ponytail and slipped her flip flops on her feet. “I’ll see you tomorrow. Or I guess later today.”

JC stood from the bed and walked over to her. “Come back tomorrow night.”

Delaney chuckled. “You know that can’t happen.”

“Why not?” JC folded his arms across his chest.

“JC, this was a one night stand. That’s it.” Delaney was trying to convince him just as much as she was trying to convince herself.

“Is it?” He looked at her again, his blue eyes piercing hers.

“It has to be. We can’t do this. We were drunk.” Delaney headed for the door. “I’ll see you before the first breakout session tomorrow.”

He watched her as she opened the door and disappeared into the hallway. He rubbed his face in his hands and turned to face the bed which was a mess of sex and rumpled sheets. Normally, women would beg him to let them stay the night. Delaney had made up her mind to get out as soon as she could. It wasn’t just a one night stand. They were too good at what they’d just done for it to only happen once and JC knew it.

Delaney scurried towards the elevator, her mind about to explode from what had just happened. She and JC had had mind-blowing sex. That was all there was to it. She knew it couldn’t happen again. She would just have to get drunk with someone else.

But as she waited for the elevator, Delaney had a sneaking suspicion it wasn’t the last time she’d end up in JC’s bed.

Chapter 10 by Alysen Blaine

Delaney lay in bed the next morning, her head pounding, her legs aching, and her mind racing. It was 7:30 and the first meeting started at 8:00. She knew she had to get out of bed to at least get coffee before it began. All she could think about was JC. His body on top of hers, his hands in places she hadn’t been touched in what had felt like years, his tongue…she shivered. His tongue could do things that she was pretty sure had never been done to her before.

“A one-night stand. That’s all!” Delaney was talking to herself in the bathroom mirror as she put on her make-up. She knew how one-night stands worked. But she’d never had one that had been that good.

She managed to stay calm and collected as she made her way downstairs. She couldn’t let on to anything, especially not in front of Chris and Ashley. The last thing they knew was that she’d spent the evening alone in her room. Delaney had already gone through the story she’d tell them should they ask how her night had gone.

Downstairs was a mass of hungover convention guests making their way to the large conference hall. Chris and Ashley were waiting by the entrance of the ballroom when Delaney walked up to them.

“Hey,” she greeted them with as much energy as she could muster. Her head was just starting to feel normal again after the four Advil she’d downed with her coffee.

“Whoa. You look exhausted,” Chris noted as soon as he looked at Delaney.

“Yeah, um, I didn’t sleep well last night. You know, hotel beds.” Delaney didn’t make eye contact and quickly changed the subject. “Let’s find a seat before it fills up.”

“Are you okay?” Ashley followed Delaney as she scoured the ballroom for three empty seats.

“Huh? Yeah, I’m fine. Just tired.” That was the truth. Not to mention, her legs were still killing her. She had to smirk at that. She hadn’t had sex like that in a long time, if ever.

“There’s three seats right there.” Chris was pointing to a row in the back of the ballroom.

Just as they were getting to their seats, Delaney looked up and spotted JC. He was standing in the back of the room near the row that they were headed toward. And he was staring intently at her.

Delaney locked eyes with him, then quickly looked away and followed Ashley and Chris to the row of seats.

JC had watched her enter the conference room and hadn’t looked away. He was waiting for her to catch his eye and when she did, he was hoping she would keep her gaze on him but she hadn’t. He knew he couldn’t be that surprised. She was doing her best to act as if nothing had happened the night before and he could tell.

He decided to go over and be cordial to Chris and Ashley. It was the only way he could get next to Delaney. Yes, it had been a one-night stand. Yes, he knew how they worked. He was a damn pro at one-night stands. But Delaney had been different. Granted, JC usually preferred younger women and it was evident Delaney had mastered the art of fucking, unlike the fresh-out-of-college coeds he had in his office.

“Hi,” he greeted them.

Chris glanced up at JC with a confused expression. “Um, hi, J-I mean, Mr. Chasez.”

“How do you guys like it so far? The hotel I mean.” JC leaned against the row in front of them and brushed his fingers past Delaney’s shoulder. He saw her shiver and smirked.

“It’s…good.” Ashley was trying to respond without sounding as confused as she felt. Just yesterday he’d barely acknowledged them and now here he was trying to make conversation. “Um, how are you liking it?”

JC put his hand on the chair in front of Delaney. “I’m really liking it. Delaney, could I see you for a quick second?”

Delaney could feel her face flushing and wished she could control it. “Oh, sure.” She casually stood up and followed JC out into the foyer, trying not to seem as nervous as she suddenly felt.

JC led Delaney to a small corridor and made it look as though they were having a casual conversation. “I can’t stop thinking about you.” His voice was soft and low, almost a whisper. “I couldn’t sleep because all I wanted was to do it all over again with you.”

Delaney’s entire body felt weak. He was already turning her on and all he was doing was talking to her.

He leaned in closer. “I need you, Delaney. I want to be inside of you right now.”

“JC…” Delaney’s voice cracked and she cleared her throat. “We have meetings all day today. You know that. How’s it gonna look if we both disappear?”

JC shook his head. “I don’t care. It’s the same shit we hear every year.” He moved even closer to her, put his lips against her ear, then whispered, “I just want to feel you around me again, baby. Do you want that?”

Delaney let a slight whimper escape her lips and tried to compose herself. “JC, we can’t…”

“But you want it too, don’t you?” He didn’t care that he’d backed her against the wall now. They were slightly hidden and everyone else was rushing around the corridor to get to the meeting. His lips were still at her ear and he nibbled at her earlobe, causing Delaney to shudder at his gesture. “You like that?” He chuckled and bit down harder. Delaney looked past his shoulder and saw the doors closing. Nobody knew where they were. They were hidden from view and suddenly she was very turned on.

“God, I want you so bad, JC!” She couldn’t help herself from whispering to him.

“I know, baby. I want you, too.” His hands were at her waistline and she could feel him pressed against her thigh. “Do you feel me? You get me so hard.”

Delaney groaned and pushed him away. “JC, I want this, I really do. But we can’t do it right here. We’ve got to get back in there.”

JC looked into her eyes. “You know it’s the same old shit. Live a little, Delaney.” He grabbed her hand, walking backwards as he spoke to her. “Text Ashley and tell her an emergency came up at The Chancellor and we had to fix it.”

Delaney hesitated but was still letting herself be pulled in the direction of the elevators. The lobby was empty now since most of the guests were convention attendees and were at the meeting.

Ashley’s phone lit up with a text from Delaney. She was thankful for the distraction, as the beginning of the general assembly meeting was quite boring.

Something came up at The Chancellor and JC and I needed to be on a conference call. Be back asap.

Ashley replied with a “thumbs-up” emoji, then put her phone away. She leaned into Chris’ shoulder and felt him sigh against her.

“You sure you don’t want to go hang out by the pool?” he asked her. “I’ll come meet you later if you want to.”

Ashley shook her head. “No. It’s fine. Maybe it’ll get interesting in a minute.”

Chris just shrugged. “Well, at least we don’t have to deal with whatever Chasez and Delaney had to deal with back at the hotel. I bet they’d much rather be in here.”

 

Delaney wondered if the tropical heat had gotten to her head and her hormones because she had never been this insatiably turned on before in her life. JC’s hands roamed her body and stopped and caressed her in all the right places. His tongue made circles around her navel and he looked up at her as he headed down between her legs.

“Are you wet, baby?” He blew on her center and Delaney groaned in pleasure. His thumb made motions around her clit and he grinned at her feeling her juices beginning to soak his fingers. “Yeah, you are. You’re soaked, mama. Did I do this to you? Did I get you this wet?”

Delaney liked the dirty talk. He knew how to do that, too. She couldn’t remember a time when dirty talk got her off like it did with JC. And it was only their second time in his bed.

“JC…” Delaney moaned and tugged at his hair. “Keep going. Please.”

“We’re gonna be up here for a long time, honey.” JC licked her slit slowly before he slid his tongue inside of her.

“Oh…shit…JC…mmm!” Delaney felt as though she was losing control but she liked it. She wanted to watch him do it to her but her eyes were closed and she was on the brink of coming. She started to convulse around his tongue and JC pulled away, crawled on top of her and slid into her warmth.

And it was only just beginning.

 

“I hope everything’s okay back at the hotel.” Chris stood up from his seat. The first breakout session was going to start soon and Delaney and JC weren’t back. “They’ve been gone for over an hour.”

“Has it just been an hour?” Ashley yawned and stood up next to him. “It feels like a whole day.” She looked around at the ballroom. “You’d think they’d put us in a room with windows. It’s so dark in here.”

“If they put us in a room with windows they know we’d all leave and go outside to the beach.” Chris reminded her and looked at his schedule. “I’m going to the session on Successful Food Management. It starts in five minutes.”

Ashley took the schedule and skimmed the events. “I’m going to the one called Lay Out By the Pool While Your Fiance is in Meetings All Day.”

“Thanks for reminding me.” Chris shook his head. “I’ll see you at lunch by the pool, then?”

Ashley nodded. “Let me know when Delaney gets back. I was gonna see if she wanted to grab a drink later on.”

 

Delaney lay next to JC in a complete daze. They’d just fucked a total of two times and both times Delaney had been scared they’d break the bed because of how hard they were pounding at it. They were breathing heavily and she looked over at JC to see him put his arm across his forehead, wiping beads of sweat away.

“JC,” Delaney finally spoke once she’d caught her breath. “What the hell are we doing?”

JC turned to face her. “What do you mean? You know what we’re doing.”

“No, I mean, this-“ she waved her hand between them. “This isn’t us at all. We’re acting like we’re out of control.”

“What’s wrong with being out of control?” He rolled over and propped himself up on his elbow. “We’re on vacation. You know, what happens in the Caribbean, stays in the Caribbean.”

Delaney had to chuckle at that. “You mean Vegas. What happens in Vegas.”

“Dammit, Delaney, why you gotta correct me? I was kidding.” JC rolled his eyes. “And I don’t see you complaining. You were begging me a minute ago to fuck you harder.”

Delaney turned and moved closer to him. “I know that. I just mean…what got into us? We hated each other less than 48 hours ago.”

JC reached over and moved a strand of her hair behind her ear, then cupped her face in his palm. “I don’t know. But I like it. I like it a lot.”

She said nothing, only let him pull her into his arms. They were quiet and the only sounds that could be heard were the sounds of people and music outside by the pool.

“So is this just a weekend thing, then? Like we do this here and when we get back-“

JC cut her off. “Let’s not worry about what it is. Let’s just enjoy what we’re doing.” He kissed the top of her head. “Stay with me tonight. Please, Delaney.”

“Why are you so insistent on that?” she asked him.

JC shrugged. “I don’t know. I kind of like the idea of getting to wake up next to you.”

Delaney cringed at that and moved away. “No, JC. That sounds too…permanent.”

“Permanent?” JC leaned back on his hands. “How is that permanent?”

“Because couples wake up next to each other. Fuck buddies don’t. And we are most definitely fuck buddies.” Delaney rolled over and stood to her feet. She turned around and faced him as she started to get dressed. “This isn’t going to be a thing when we get back. You know that, right?”

JC watched her putting her clothes on and got out of bed. He walked over to her and grabbed her arm just as she was trying to button up her blouse. “Then I guess we’d better make the most of it while we’re here, huh?”

“JC-“

He silenced her by kissing her hard on the mouth and all Delaney could do was give into him once more. She was putty and she knew it. For the first time, Delaney had met her match.

 

By the time Delaney and JC finally emerged from his hotel room it was after lunch. She barely had enough time to go and reapply her makeup before heading downstairs to catch the next large group session.

“Geez, did the hotel burn down or something?” Chris asked when Delaney sat down next to him.

“Huh? Oh, no, it was, um, just something that required both of our attention.” She was proud of herself for thinking on her feet that quickly. She looked over and spotted JC who was sitting on the opposite side of the ballroom. They’d both agreed that in order not to look suspicious, they shouldn’t sit together or converse that much during the meetings.

“Where’s Ashley?” Delaney pulled out her phone and began to look at several emails that had come through while she’d been occupied with JC.

“Laying out by the pool. She was wondering if you wanted to grab a drink with her later.” Chris replied.

Delaney nodded. “Sure, I’ll…” She trailed off when a text from JC came through right then.

Just want you to know that all I can think about is how hot you are. I love going down on you. I love how wet you get.

“I’ll, um, I’ll text her right now.” Delaney was doing her best not to show how flushed she was but when she looked at Chris, he was too busy playing Fruit Ninja on his phone.

I love it when you go down on me. Today was amazing. Delaney quickly typed back and then clicked over to Ashley’s number. She sent a quick text telling her she’d meet her at the Tiki Bar at 4:00.

JC’s name popped up again with another text:

Yes it was. Did you know I have a Jacuzzi on the patio in my suite? We should try that out tonight.

Delaney turned slightly away from Chris as she typed back:

Yes we should. Did you want me to bring my suit?

JC replied with:

Yeah but only so I can peel it off of you.

Delaney knew they had to stop. It was distracting her to no end and after missing all of the morning sessions, she knew she had to pay attention to the speakers in the afternoon.

I’m turning my phone off. I’ll meet you after dinner.

She sat back in her chair and pretended to listen to what was being said, all the while glancing over at JC who was eyeing her from the other side of the room.

 

“Wow, I feel like I haven’t seen you at all today!” Ashley greeted Delaney later that afternoon. “Is everything okay at The Chancellor?”

Delaney wished she hadn’t made up that ridiculous lie now. Chris had asked her and now Ashley was asking her and there was only so much she could make up about whatever it was that was going on back at the hotel.

“Oh, yeah. No biggie. Just had to clear up some stuff with some of the staff.” She caught the bartender’s attention. “I’ll have a banana daiquiri.”

The bartender nodded and began to mix the drink while Delaney hopped up on a stool next to Ashley.

“You know I kind of wondered if Mr. Timberlake had gotten in touch and that was what it was all about.” Ashley played with the umbrella in her drink. “Have you heard back from him?”

Delaney could feel the blood draining from her face. She had completely forgotten that Mr. Timberlake was going to be at the hotel next week to talk with JC. And here she was doing the exact same thing that she’d told him JC was guilty of doing.

“Oh, um, no.” She was doing her best not to act nervous or out of sorts but Ashley was looking at her with a wary expression.

“Delaney, are you okay? Seriously, you’ve been off since this morning.” Ashley leaned in closer. “Did JC do something? Because you know if he is threatening to fire you and all that shit then you know he can’t.”

JC had done something alright. He had awakened some sort of sexual animal inside of Delaney that she’d had no idea even existed.

“I think I’m just tired and stressed from everything that’s gone on at the hotel.” Delaney once again was proud of her fast thinking skills. “I didn’t sleep very well last night. Maybe it’s just that I need a good night’s rest or something.”

Ashley nodded. “Yeah, true. I know when I’m not sleeping well that I feel off.”

Delaney wished she could confide in Ashley about what had really happened. But she knew that with all that had gone on just in previous weeks that Ashley would tell her she was crazy and that she should remember all that JC had done before this weekend.

“Hey.”

Delaney nearly jumped off the barstool she’d been sitting on upon hearing JC’s voice behind her. “You scared me.” It was the best excuse she could muster since Ashley had looked over at her when he’d approached the bar.

“Did I?” JC smirked. “Sorry. Just coming to get a drink. Hi, Ashley.”

“Hi,” Ashley replied and eyed him with suspicion.

“Did I interrupt girl time?” JC asked after he ordered a beer.

“No.” Delaney didn’t look at him. “We were just chatting was all.”

He took a seat next to her and Delaney twitched when she felt his foot sliding up her leg. She moved her leg away and turned to face Ashley.

“So, how are the wedding plans coming?” It was the best question Delaney could think of to distract her away from JC.

Ashley looked surprised at the question. “Oh, I guess fine. We haven’t really done too much. Probably will look at a few florists when we get back next week.”

“Just use the hotel florist.” JC joined in the conversation. “You get a discount, you know.”

Ashley narrowed her eyes at him. “No we don’t. We asked you that right after we got engaged and you told Chris he didn’t get any kind of discount because we weren’t that kind of hotel.”

JC cringed at Ashley’s response, suddenly remembering that particular conversation. He shook his head. “Well, things have…changed.” He nudged Delaney’s leg with his foot and this time she let him.

“Changed? Ok. Well I’ll let Chris know that, then.” Ashley still seemed unconvinced. JC couldn’t blame her. He knew he’d been acting weird toward them the last day and a half. The truth was, being with Delaney made him feel like a nicer person in general.

“See? Now you don’t have to worry about flowers!” Delaney knew she sounded too cheerful and the look Ashley shot her told her she was right.

“I’m gonna go find Chris.” Ashley took her drink and hopped off the barstool. “Sorry, Delaney, it’s just too weird with him here,” she whispered quietly to Delaney and all Delaney could do was nod.

“They hate me.” JC stated when Ashley had left.

“Can you blame them?” Delaney cocked her head at him. “You’ve been an ass to them for years now. You can’t just suddenly decide you want to be nice and think they’ll be okay with it.”

“You’re okay with it.” JC raised an eyebrow at her.

Delaney didn’t answer. She was okay with a lot of things JC was doing to her. Being nice was just a bonus.

“I’m going to change before dinner.” She took one more sip of the daiquiri before she got off the barstool. “See you later.”

“Yeah. After the meeting. My room.” JC winked at her. Delaney flashed a smile before she darted inside hoping that the interaction with Ashley hadn’t felt as off as it had seemed.

End Notes:
If you're reading this I'd love to know ;) 
Chapter 11 by Alysen Blaine
Author's Notes:

 “...I always give flowers to someone I’m about to take on a date.”

 

Ashley was frustrated. It wasn’t that she had planned an extensive vacation with Delaney, but it would have been nice to lay out by the pool in the four hours of free time that afternoon. She’d briefly seen her at the bar before dinner until JC had come over and made awkward conversation. Now it was after dinner and Chris had to go to the last meeting of the day before he could join Ashley for cocktails. She’d texted Delaney to see if she wanted to join, but Delaney had responded that she’d felt a cold coming on and wanted to stay in her room for the rest of the evening.

Ashley thought her friend’s behavior had been a little off for most of the weekend. Delaney was usually always up for a drink and some gossip after work. As it was, Delaney had been disappearing during and after meetings and Chris told Ashley he hadn’t seen her show up at all after lunch. Maybe there was something big going on at the hotel that had occupied her time. But if it was that huge, Ashley felt as though Delaney might at least let on that something wasn’t right.

Then again, perhaps Ashley was over thinking it and she’d just been down that she couldn’t hang out with Delaney as much as she’d wanted.

“Cocktail?”

Ashley looked up and smiled at Chris, who was handing her a blue frozen drink. “Thanks.” Ashley took the drink and Chris sat down next to her in the empty chair.

“You looked all deep in thought. What’s up?” Chris asked her.

“I don’t know. I guess I just thought we’d see Delaney more.” Ashley took a sip. “This is delicious! What’s in it?”

Chris shrugged. “It was the drink of the day. It had alcohol. I got it.”

Ashley chuckled. “Good call. Anyway, I just didn’t think she’d be so busy.”

“She’s the assistant hotel manager. I’m sure she and JC have to be at a lot of meetings we don’t even know about.” Chris kissed her. “Let’s go back to the room. I kind of just want you for myself tonight anyway.”

 

She wasn’t going to spend the night. She had told JC over and over again that she didn’t want to stay. Yet, here they were at midnight rolling around on his bed, fucking each other for the umpteenth time that night. After dinner, she’d snuck back to his bedroom and they hadn’t left. Delaney couldn’t remember ever having sex like this with someone. Animalistic and rough. That was the only way to describe it. But she wasn’t complaining. In fact, she liked it. He brought out something in her that no other man had ever brought out before.

“You can’t go.” JC hissed into her ear. “Stay with me. Just for tonight.”

He felt good like this. He was still inside of her, growing soft, but Delaney liked it. He kissed her on the mouth and rolled off of her.

Delaney let out a satisfied sigh and bit on her lower lip. “Ok.”

“Ok you’ll stay?” JC stroked her shoulder with his fingers.

“I’ll stay. But just for tonight.”

This had gone beyond a one-night stand. A one-night stand was a person you never saw again. This was closing in on 48 hours now. Tomorrow they were headed back to Islamorada, back to normal life, back to the hotel. It made Delaney anxious to think about what it would be like once they were back at The Chancellor. When they’d left just two days ago, JC Chasez had been the most awful person Delaney had ever worked with in her career. In fact, he was probably the worst person she’d ever known.

But now? Now she was addicted to him and he to her.

“What’s going to happen tomorrow?” Delaney whispered in the dark after JC had turned off the light.

“What do you mean?” They were spooned against each other and JC’s lips were right next to her ear. He kissed the top of her ear and his chin rested on her shoulder.

“When we get back. What’s going to happen?” She was still turned away from him but rolled over to face him.

JC knew what she was talking about. He knew that Joey, Chris, and Ashley despised him. He knew she was close with them and could never breath a word to anyone about how she’d spent the majority of this conference in his room. And he knew that Delaney was very aware of just how many women he’d had in his office since she’d started working at the hotel.

“I don’t know.” It was the best answer he could give because he didn’t know. It was up to both of them to determine how they wanted it to go. And two nights fucking didn’t equal to a relationship, not that Delaney had hinted around to that.

“Me either.” Delaney rested her palm on JC’s cheek and smiled. “I guess we’ll just figure it out later.” She yawned and rested her head on his shoulder. JC watched her until she fell asleep, then closed his eyes.

 

 

Flashback 1995

“Josh.”

Josh groaned upon hearing his mother knock on his bedroom door. He’d been home for the summer exactly two days and already she was waking him up before eight in the morning.

“Josh, wake up. I need to talk to you.”

She was in his bedroom; he could hear her shuffling across the floor.

“What?” Josh mumbled into his pillow.

“Get up, come downstairs.” Karen was standing at the end of his bed.

“Why?” He still hadn’t moved but managed to grab the covers and pull them over his head.

“Just come downstairs. It’s important.” With that, Karen left and Josh heard the door close behind her. Reluctantly, he kicked off the covers and slowly stood up. He grabbed a t-shirt off the floor and threw it over his head. He couldn’t imagine what his mother had to tell him before noon that was this important.

When he came downstairs, his parents were sitting at the kitchen table with serious looks on their faces. He glanced at both of them, ran a hand through his hair, and sat down across from them.

“What?” He rested his elbows on the table and cupped his face in his palm.

“Josh, we heard from your biological grandfather last night. Lisa overdosed on pain pills and alcohol. She died a few hours ago.” Karen reached across the table to touch Josh’s arm.

Josh didn’t flinch or blink. He looked at his parents with a deadpan expression. Finally, he spoke. “Serves her right.”

“Joshua!” Karen gasped.

“You know I’m right, Mom. I’m surprised it didn’t happen before now!” Josh pushed his chair back and stood up. “Is that all you wanted to tell me? That my real mom died?”

“Why are you being so insensitive?” Karen looked at her son in disbelief.

“Because I haven’t wanted anything to do with her since she left me with you. I mean, I’m sorry it happened, but not a big loss for me.” He turned and then looked back at his parents. “I’m going back to bed. Unless you need me for anything else?”

“Joshua-“ Karen started but Roy reached over and touched her hand.

“Let him go, hon.” Josh heard his father saying as he left the kitchen and went back upstairs.

He lied down on his bed and closed his eyes but sleep didn’t come. All he saw were visions of Lisa when he was a little boy. Lisa had been a terrible, awful mother and he had never forgotten the feeling of being placed with Karen and Roy. He remembered feeling as if he was finally with a real family and would experience unconditional love from two parents.

But the fact remained that Lisa had been his real mother and he hadn’t gotten the chance to say goodbye.

It was that one realization that caused Josh to cry himself to sleep.

 

Delaney was sound asleep when she felt JC jerk next to her. He gasped and when she opened her eyes, he was shaking and holding his head in his hands.

“JC?” Delaney rubbed her eyes. The time on the cable box read 2:45 and it was dark outside. “JC, are you ok?” She sat up next to him and put her hand on his back. He was covered in sweat.

JC couldn’t verbally answer. Sobs began to wrack his body and he fell into Delaney’s arms crying. It was the first time he’d ever felt this completely broken.

Delaney didn’t know what else to do other than to let him cry. She kissed the top of his head and held him close to her.

He was embarrassed but he couldn’t hide it from her. He tried to control his sobs but the more he tried, the harder they came. When he tried to speak, all that came out was a gut-wrenching cry that only made Delaney hold him closer.

Damn Lisa. Damn her for making him have all of these god-awful flashbacks. And damn her for making him cry like this in front of Delaney of all people.

“It’s okay, JC.” Delaney whispered and kissed him again. “Shh.”

After what felt like hours, but had only been a few minutes, JC was able to calm down. He wiped his eyes with the back of his hand and let out a sigh. His arms rested on his knees and he looked straight ahead while Delaney sat next to him, running her hand up and down his arm.

“I’ve…been having these flashbacks. For a while now.” JC finally spoke, his voice cracking slightly.

“Flashbacks?” Delaney looked at him. “What are they about?”

JC had never opened up to anyone about his life, especially not in detail. But for some reason, he found it comforting to tell Delaney everything that had ever happened to him. Delaney listened intently and was beginning to put the pieces together in her head about who JC Chasez really was.

“It makes sense.” Delaney spoke softly after JC had finished talking.

“What does?” JC had calmed down enough to lie down and Delaney was in his arms.

“Why you’re such an ass.” She wasn’t being smart, she was being honest and he knew it. “You wanted to be the best at everything because you felt like you were nothing as a kid.”

JC turned on his side and faced Delaney. “Why am I having these damn flashbacks?”

“I’m not a therapist, JC, but from what I can see you’ve never dealt with any of that stuff,” Delaney said. “Eventually it had to come up somehow. I guess you’ve stuffed it so long that this is how it had to come out. I don’t know.”

“I just want them to stop. They’re ruining my life.” JC rolled onto his back and rubbed his eyes with his thumb and forefinger, then looked over at Delaney. “I’ve never told anyone any of what I told you.”

“I’m not going to say a word.” Delaney kissed his chest. “I think I’ve gotten good at keeping secrets with you.”

JC laughed. “Yeah, I guess you have.”

They didn’t say anything for a few minutes. Delaney felt her eyelids growing heavy and knew it was getting close to four in the morning. Their flight left for Miami the next morning at ten. In order to get everything packed, Delaney would have to be up in two hours.

“Hey.” JC nudged her and Delaney let out a tired sigh.

“Hm?”

“Thanks for listening to me. Nobody’s ever…listened to me.”

“I don’t think you gave them the chance.” Delaney mumbled and closed her eyes.

“You’re probably right.” JC kissed her forehead. “Goodnight.”

“Goodnight.”

 

Delaney watched the plane touch down and felt her heart start racing. She’d thought about what to do with this whole situation with JC ever since leaving his room earlier that morning. When they’d woken up, they’d had a quickie, except this time JC had been gentle with her and not as rough. He’d kissed her sweetly on the lips before she scurried down the hall and to the elevator, hoping not to be seen by anyone.

Miraculously, the next time she ran into Ashley and Chris was when they ran into her at breakfast. Delaney had hoped Ashley hadn’t seen the guilt on her face from hiding something so huge from her friend all weekend.

JC had been on another flight and Delaney hadn’t heard anything from him since leaving his room that morning. As soon as she turned her phone on again, there were three text messages from him. He wanted to know how her flight was, he wanted her to text him when she got home, and he told her he hadn’t stopped thinking of her.

Delaney hoped the grin on her face wasn’t giving her away.

She replied quickly and then slipped her phone back into her purse as the plane taxied to the gate. Turning around, she waved over at Chris and Ashley, who were sitting two rows behind her.

“You think she’s going to be back to normal?” Ashley murmured to Chris as they started to exit their row.

“Stop being dramatic. She was busy. I told you that!” Chris rolled his eyes and began to get their carry-ons from the overhead compartment.

Ashley was still skeptical but said nothing more about it. It was an intuition she had. Delaney was hiding something from her.

 

JC hadn’t stopped thinking about Delaney. It wasn’t just the sex, which had been incredible; it was everything about her. She had listened to him talk about everything in his past, he’d opened up to her like he’d never opened up to anyone before, and even though they’d had to rush to leave the next morning, he loved waking up next to her.

It was a quiet Sunday at the hotel when he’d returned that afternoon. Delaney had taken the rest of the day off but JC went in just to check in on things and get settled for the next week.

As he sat at his desk, he wondered what it would really be like once Delaney was back in the office the next day. Would they even speak to each other? Would they act as they had before that weekend? JC shook his head. He didn’t want that.

He thought about Andrea, about Morgan, about the countless women who’d been in and out of that office for nothing more than sex. Then he thought about Delaney and even though it had been just sex with them that weekend, JC wondered if there could be more.

There was only one way to find out.

He shut down his computer, drew the blinds, and locked his office. He’d never left early but he was going to take advantage of being the GM today and go.

 

Delaney hadn’t moved from her couch since getting home from the airport. She started a load of laundry and made a pot of coffee that had lasted her most of the afternoon. It was overcast outside and even though she knew it was muggy and warm, Delaney felt cozy inside her house. She would silently scold herself whenever she reached for her phone. She hadn’t heard from JC since the text he’d sent her when she landed and that had been over four hours now. She knew she couldn’t be upset. It was a weekend fling and that was all. Tomorrow things would go back to the way they were supposed to have been all along.

She heard a car pull into her driveway and went to the front window to look out. Her heart jumped and she couldn’t help but smile when she saw JC getting out of his car and walk to her front door. She opened it before he could knock. He was standing in front of her with a bouquet of tropical flowers and a sheepish grin on his face.

“Well, hey.” Delaney greeted him. She motioned at the flowers. “What are those for?”

“They’re for you.” JC handed them over to her.

“Why?” She was skeptical as she took them.

“Because I always give flowers to someone I’m about to take on a date.” He looked at her and waited for her to respond.

“What?!” She couldn’t help but laugh. “A date? JC, I’m in sweats and a t-shirt and-“

“Our reservations aren’t for another hour and a half. Go get ready. I’m taking you out on a date.”

 

They sat across from each other at a tiny little hole in the wall Italian restaurant tucked away on a neighboring island. It had taken a half hour to drive there and all the way, Delaney and JC discussed the weekend and how they felt and JC finally told her he wanted to see what might happen if they went out on a real date.

“When’s the last time you took a fuck buddy on a date?” She couldn’t help but ask him that. She was pretty sure Andrea and Morgan hadn’t had the privilege of getting past his office desk. Or his floor, for that matter.

“I deserve that.” JC shook his head and took a swig of beer. “I can’t remember the last time I was on a date. Probably over a year.”

“I guess when the milk’s free, why buy the cow.” Delaney used a phrase she’d heard her mother use for years regarding women who gave out on the first date.

Little did her mother know about all of Delaney’s first dates.

“Ouch!” JC chuckled at her metaphor. “Damn, Delaney. I take you out to a nice dinner and this is how you repay me? Cutting me down?”

“Oh stop. You know I’m right.” Delaney held her glass of white wine and put her lips on the rim, then took a sip. “Ok, but seriously. This-“ she waved her hand between them, “-what is it?”

“Do we have to come up with a definition now? Can’t we just enjoy a dinner together?” He looked at her linguine alfredo. “How’s the pasta?”

“Delicious.” Delaney answered. “I’m just stuffed. I’ll take the rest of it for lunch tomorrow.”

JC didn’t say anything and finished his lasagna. Then, “I think we can get away with hiding this for a while. At the hotel I mean.”

Delaney looked up from her wine. “You’re serious?”

“I want to date you. I mean, I want to do other things to you, but I think we’d have a good time together. We do well at the other stuff.” As he spoke, he felt Delaney’s foot sliding up his leg and raised an eyebrow. “I’m guessing this is your way of agreeing with me?”

“Maybe.” Delaney winked at him and leaned across the table to peck his lips. “Just don’t screw this up.”

End Notes:
I love it when I get reviews ;)
Chapter 12 by Alysen Blaine
Author's Notes:

Thank you guys SO much for the nominations for this story as well as the others! I'm so honored! I hope you like this next chapter! As always thanks to my awesome beta, Vicki! And of course to JC for just being the best muse ever ;) 

It was dangerous. That’s the only thing that was going through Delaney’s mind as she lay next to JC early the morning after their date. The sun was barely up but Delaney was wide-awake. She didn’t want to move because it felt good to be held against JC like she was. Yet, she was scheduled to be at the hotel by eight and since they’d gone back to his place, she had no clothes for work and would need to get home.

As she rolled away from him, JC grunted and turned over on his stomach. “Where are you going?” he asked, his voice groggy from sleep.

“I have to get home and change before work.” Delaney quickly pulled on the dress she had worn the night before. It had been thrown over the mirror of JC’s dresser in a mad attempt at getting undressed just a few hours ago.

“You should just bring your clothes here.” His eyes were closed again and he’d planted his face into his pillow. “Then you don’t have to leave so early.”

“We’ll just see what happens,” Delaney answered him under her breath. She leaned over to peck his cheek and JC grunted again, rolling over and glancing at her as she looked down at him.

“See you at the office,” he mumbled and Delaney kissed him once more before disappearing out of his bedroom.

 

As she drove home, Delaney fidgeted in the driver’s seat. She turned on the radio and Beyonce’s “Drunk in Love” just happened to be playing. It made her smirk. How they’d ended up in the bedroom last night had been something short of a miracle. He hadn’t been able to keep his hands off of her and when he’d pushed her against the kitchen counter, Delaney had no objections.

 

We woke up in the kitchen saying

"How the hell did this shit happen?" oh baby

Drunk in love, we be all night

Last thing I remember is our

Beautiful bodies grinding off in that club

Drunk in love

 

Delaney shivered. It was going to be a long day at work pretending she wanted nothing to do with JC.

 

 

“So how was it?” Joey asked Chris later that day before the morning meeting. “Did you guys have fun?”

“Yeah, it was ok.” Chris nodded. “You know, meetings all day and breakout sessions and all that.”

“But then the beach and pool with Ashley and Delaney?” Joey leaned against the wall and glanced around waiting for Delaney to join. “And of course watching JC hit on all the women.”

Chris shook his head. “Nah, we barely saw JC. Or Delaney for that matter, which kind of bummed out Ashley.”

“Oh yeah? Too bad. But I guess when you’re the GM and Assistant Manager of one of the most successful hotels in America, you can’t really expect a lot of one on one time.” Joey looked up and saw Delaney coming towards them. He smiled at her but she just returned his smile with a grimace and looked quite deep in thought.

“What’s up?” Chris greeted her but Delaney ignored him and shuffled through papers in her hand. “Um, Delaney?”

Delaney had been so worried about how she was going to react when she actually saw JC at the hotel that she’d barely even noticed she had made it to the meeting. She cleared her throat and nervously smiled at Joey and Chris. “Sorry. Hi. There’s a lot going on.”

“Busy day here?” Joey asked, wondering if the hotel was going to get a high profile guest or more unexpected check-ins.

JC walked in through the back door and Delaney had to catch herself from grinning at him.

“Huh? Yeah. Yeah, something like that.” Delaney sighed and pretended to busy herself on her phone.

Chris glanced at her, narrowing his eyes. She’d been off almost since they’d gotten to Ocho Rios that weekend. He didn’t know what was up, but she was far too jumpy for the Delaney he knew.

JC didn’t make eye contact with Delaney and resumed his status as the head of the meeting. 

“…and numbers are up for check-in today.” JC looked at Joey. “Bar stocked?”

“Always,” Joey answered, eyeing JC as if he had lost it. “That’s a stupid question,” he muttered to Chris, who shook his head.

“Shh,” Delaney shushed them, immediately regretting her action after seeing the look of surprise on both Joey’s and Chris’s face. “Sorry, I thought he was going to say something else.”

“Well, yes, after asking me, the head bartender, if the bar is stocked on a busy check-in day…I can see where you might think differently.” Joey rolled his eyes at Delaney. “You need a drink. You comin’ to Chancey’s when you get off today?”

Delaney had been watching JC, who was scribbling something on a pad of paper while he mumbled something to Todd. He looked up, caught her eye, and looked away. She knew they had to be sneaky and she was doing a terrible job of it right now. All she was thinking about was the night before. Fucking on the kitchen counter. How in the hell….

“Delaney.”

She snapped to attention and looked up at Chris who was eyeing her.

“Sorry. What?”

“Uh, aren’t you supposed to talk to Food and Beverage today?” Chris watched as Delaney fidgeted with the button on her grey blazer. She was nervous about something and completely preoccupied.

Shit. Delaney had forgotten about that. “Oh. Yeah.” She bit on her lower lip and let a slow breath out before turning quickly on her heel. “I’ll see you later,” she called back to Chris as she made her way back into the lobby. Her phone buzzed but she ignored it until she’d crossed through the lobby and was safely back in her office.

Call me.

It was JC, just as she’d suspected.

Delaney let out a shaky sigh as she dialed the number.

“You gotta chill, baby,” JC told her as soon as he picked up on the other end.

“I know. I’m sorry.” Delaney groaned and rubbed her forehead. “I froze. I don’t know what came over me.”

JC chuckled into the phone. “You’re gonna give us away if you’re not careful. Your friends were looking at you like you were crazy.”

Delaney cringed, remembering the looks Chris and Joey had both given her. “Do you think they know?”

JC had to laugh again. “No, I don’t think they know. They’re going to, though, if you keep acting like you did. What time is your meeting with Chris?”

Delaney flipped through her calendar on her desk. “Eleven.” She eased back into her desk chair. “I know Ashley is going to want to meet up for drinks later. I don’t suppose you’d want to-“

“Delaney, you know I can’t meet up with them.”

“I know.” Delaney sighed into the phone. “I don’t know what’s wrong with me. It’s kind of your fault, you know.”

“Oh, really?”

“Really. I mean, last night alone was…just…hot. I’ve never had sex on a kitchen counter.”

“No? Well, what about a bathroom counter?”

“No.”

“Car?”

“No.”

“Wow. Your sex life was boring before me.”

Delaney laughed. “A lot was different before you.”

“Where are you?” JC asked.

“My office.” Delaney swiveled around in her chair and faced the view of the ocean from her picture window. “Where are you?”

“My office.”

“So, right next door?”

“Right next door.” His tone changed. “You have a meeting at eleven?”

“Yeah.”

He was quiet and Delaney could hear him breathing into the phone.

“What?” she asked him.

“What do you mean, ‘what’?”

“I don’t know, you got quiet.”

“I was just thinking.”

“About what?”

“Just…never mind.”
“What?”

“Nothing. I was gonna see if you wanted to sneak over here. But that’s not being careful, is it?”

“No, it’s not.” Delaney sighed into the phone. “You know, JC, last night was really amazing with you.” She knew what she was doing. She was just hoping he’d take the bait.

“What are you doing, Delaney?”

“You know what I’m doing. You shouldn’t even have to ask.”

“I meant…what are you doing right now? Are you thinking about me inside of you?” JC had a way of speaking almost with a silkiness in his voice whenever he was turned on.

Delaney let out a soft laugh. “Mmhm. And your hands are all over me. And we’re on that kitchen counter and you’re fucking me so hard.”

“Uh huh. And what else?” JC had unzipped his pants and was slowly starting to rub himself. He slid lower into his desk chair and let out a breath.

“I like it when you bite my neck, JC. And your tongue travels all over me.” Delaney had slipped out of her pencil skirt and was pleasuring herself as she spoke. “I love your tongue. It feels so good, baby.” Her voice had become gravelly, her tone slowed, and she let out a faint groan as she gripped the phone tighter.

“You like it when my tongue’s between your legs, honey?” All he was picturing was being with her in his bed and regretted how careful they were being. He could have easily coerced her into his office but he wanted this to be different. Not like Morgan or Andrea or any of those other girls he’d had before Delaney.

“Uh huh. And watching you do it to me. It’s so hot.” Her voice was raspy.

Delaney closed her eyes feeling close as she continued pleasing herself. All she was picturing was JC between her legs, pulsating inside of her just as she was doing now.

“God, Delaney…I just…I want you so bad right now.” JC was rubbing harder, thinking of Delaney beneath him, tightening around his dick, pulling him closer to her.

“I’m…I’m almost there.” Delaney whispered.

“Rub your clit harder, baby. Do it like I would do it if I was with you.”

Delaney gasped and tried to moan as quietly as she could. She had to remember she wasn’t hidden in JC’s bedroom. She was in the office having phone sex with him.

“That’s it, baby. Yeah. That sounds so hot, mama.”

Her head was spinning and she felt lightheaded. He was whispering into her ear and it felt as though he was right there and not down the hall. She gripped the end of her desk and gritted her teeth, suppressing a moan and instead gasping for breath as she felt her orgasm rip through her. She opened her eyes. Her head was resting on her desk and her legs trembled beneath her.

“You ok?” JC asked, his voice shaking.

“Mmhm.” Delaney lifted her head and caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror across from her desk. She looked as though she’d actually just been rolling around on the floor with him. She smirked at her reflection and sighed into the phone. “I need to go. If I go to that meeting in Food and Beverage looking like I do, they’re going to know something’s up.”

“I’ll see you tonight,” JC replied. “Go get a drink and then come to my house.”

 

“Where’s Delaney?” Joey asked that evening. Chris and Ashley were at the bar as usual waiting on their friend.

Ashley shrugged. “Dunno. I can’t seem to nail her down. I thought when we got back from the convention she’d be back to her old self. But she’s even more out of it than before.”

“Something happened in Ocho Rios.” Chris was playing with his beer bottle. “I don’t know what it was, but she has been off ever since we got there.”

“Maybe she hooked up with somebody.” Joey suggested as he dried a beer glass.

“Why is it always sex with you?” Ashley rolled her eyes.

“Well, think about it. Maybe she met some guy there, hooked up, and now she’s trying to figure out how to keep the relationship going long distance.” Joey shrugged. “It’s possible.”

“I never saw her with anyone,” Ashley said and sipped on her beer. “Did you?” She looked at Chris.

“Nope. That’s not saying she didn’t meet anyone. I just never saw her with-“

“Shh,” Joey quieted them. “She’s walking in right now.”

Ashley turned around and smiled when she spotted Delaney walking toward them. “Hey,” Ashley greeted her as Delaney hopped onto the barstool next to her.

“Hi.” Delaney smiled at Ashley then looked at Joey. “Gin and tonic, please.”

“Are you in a better mood?” Chris asked, not caring if he sounded rude or not. Earlier at the Food and Beverage meeting, Delaney had seemed aloof and barely responded to questions that were asked regarding a new promotion idea that had been tossed around among employees. When Chris pulled her aside to ask her what was going on, Delaney had acted as though nothing was wrong and left.

“Yeah. Sorry. I’ve just got a lot on my mind.” Delaney felt like that was as much truth as she could tell them without going into more detail. She knew if she wasn’t careful she was liable to reveal more than she or JC would ever want known.

“I’ve been worried about you.” Ashley touched her arm. “I thought you were mad at me or something.”

Delaney shook her head and tried to be as reassuring as she could. “No. No, nothing like that. I’m sorry. It’s going to be a lot better from now on, I think.”

 

Morgan had watched JC pull out of his parking spot that evening. She hadn’t heard from him in weeks now, but it hadn’t made it any easier. After trying to seduce one of the head waiters at the pool bar, she’d given up. Morgan liked older men with wives or significant others. It gave her more of a rush of competition. She knew JC didn’t have a significant other, but he was the General Manager of The Chancellor and that alone gave her all the identity she could ever want or need.

But now he was ignoring her. Worse, she felt as if she hadn’t ever existed to him. And that pissed her off even more.

Texting him was pointless. He wasn’t going to text her back. He wasn’t going to call her. It drover her crazy that the one man she thought she’d had wrapped around her finger had let her go without any remorse about it at all.

She strummed her fingers along the granite countertop and looked around the shop, as if trying to find inspiration for some sort of a revenge tactic. Her eyes landed on the condoms behind the counter of the small sundry shop that was connected to The Cup. There’d been that one time that JC had pulled out early because he didn’t have a condom.

“Or did he?” Morgan said to herself. She snickered quietly and bit on her lower lip, concocting a plan and wondering if it would really work.

 

“This is nice.” JC was holding Delaney against him on his couch, each of them holding a glass of wine. “I don’t think I’ve ever just been quiet with a woman before.”

“Because you’re making them scream?” Delaney couldn’t help but giggle. JC squeezed her and laughed into her ear.

“Yeah. I guess.” He kissed her cheek. “But, I don’t know, you make me kind of calm. I like that.”

Delaney looked up at him. “I like that, too.”  He kissed her again, setting his wine glass on the floor so that he could pull her on top of him. Delaney placed hers next to his and started kissing him but JC pulled away.

“What?” She looked at him and JC shook his head.

“Nothing. I…I kind of just want to kiss you. Like this.” He kissed her lips gently and cupped her face in his hands. “You…damn, Delaney, you just make me want to do things differently.”

“What do you mean?” Delaney stroked his cheek with her thumb.

“I don’t know. I think…I think I just want it to be different this time.” He pressed his hand against her breast and began to slowly knead it.

“That feels so good, baby.” Delaney met his forehead with hers. “Keep doing it.”

“I sometimes feel like…I can’t get enough of you.” JC kissed her over and over again. “God, Delaney, it’s like I just want all of you all of the time.”

Their clothes soon became quickly discarded into a pile on the floor. The wine had been forgotten about. Just as it had been so many times before in the last few days, JC was pulsating inside of her and Delaney was calling out his name.

 

Ashley walked into The Cup the next morning and immediately frowned when she saw Morgan behind the counter putting on make-up. Granted, it was still a few minutes before opening, but there were a few guests waiting outside and could clearly see into the café.

“We’re not open yet.” Morgan didn’t look up from putting on her make-up.

“Just getting a cup of coffee.” Ashley walked over to the free-standing coffee dispensers and placed her thermos underneath the opening. Nothing came out. “Um, excuse me, have you brewed the coffee yet?”

Morgan glanced at Ashley with disgust. “Yeah. Forgot to put it in the dispenser, though.”

“Might want to get on that.” Ashley retorted.

Morgan came from behind the counter and went over to unlock the door. “Thanks for telling me how to do my job.”

“It’s just common sense, sweetie.” Ashley walked past Morgan and through the employee entrance.

“Bitch.” Morgan muttered under her breath as she quickly walked to the back to get the brewed pots of coffee. She was putting her plan of action in today and couldn’t be worried about petty people. She had to stay focused and remembered that she had scheduled an appointment with Human Resources to tell them all about her sad tale. Surely they would feel bad for her carrying a child without sufficient income. She would get the pay raise and in a few days, break the news to JC that she was having his baby.

Chapter 13 by Alysen Blaine
Author's Notes:
Thanks to my beta, Vicki for patiently reading this one over :) Hope you guys enjoy!! 

…Days Later…

JC rolled over and picked his phone up from the nightstand, rubbed his eyes, and looked over at Delaney’s sleeping figure beside him. He debated on hitting snooze but knew if he did, he’d be in danger of never getting out of bed. Leaning over Delaney, he pecked her cheek and then slowly stood to grab his clothes that were thrown over the armchair in her bedroom.

“What time do you have to be in today?” Delaney’s voice was muffled in her pillow but JC could make out what she was saying.

“Seven. It’s six now. I still need to grab some stuff from my place.” He sat down and pulled his jeans on. “When are you going in?”

“I’m off today.” Delaney mumbled and rolled over to face him. He could see her peeking out beneath the sheets and smiled at her.

“Lucky you.” He stood to his feet and slipped on his shoes before walking over to her. He leaned over, pecked her lips, and then walked into her kitchen. He’d become familiar with where she kept everything and immediately took out a coffee mug from the shelf above the stove. He turned on the Keurig and was deciding what coffee to brew, when he heard footsteps behind him. In a second, Delaney’s arms were wrapped around his waist and she was pushing him against the stove.

“Don’t rush off.” She kissed his back and JC could feel himself getting turned on by the way she was pressing up against him.

“You know I can’t be late.” He was still messing around with the Keurig but snickered when he felt Delaney’s fingers messing with his zipper. He turned around and put his coffee mug on the counter behind him.

“What are you trying to do?” He was backing her into the island as he spoke. Delaney was wearing nothing but a white cotton robe that was falling off of her shoulder.

“Make you late for work.” She hopped up on the counter and pulled JC toward her. Her robe fell off easily and JC smirked at her when she laid back on the empty island counter. He pulled her knees toward him and Delaney let out a soft moan when she heard his jeans drop to the floor.

Soon his legs were intertwined with hers and he was pulsating in and out of her at a rapid pace. The only goal was getting off and they both knew it but didn’t care. It was rough and not at all like the lovemaking they’d done the night before. No, this was pure fucking.

Delaney reached out to grab onto something and the only thing that was within her reach was the faucet. Water droplets fell into her palm as she clutched it, feeling the edges burn into her fingers. She let go of it and dragged her nails across JC’s shoulders, baring down so she wouldn’t fall off the edge of the counter.

JC jumped at her nails piercing his skin. They were going harder than he’d ever gone with her before. He bit down on her neck and she yelped in pain but when he looked at her, she was biting her lower lip and gasping in ecstasy. He sucked on her neck, his thumb going in circles around her clit.

Delaney let out the closest thing to a scream that JC had ever heard out of her. She was still shaking when JC collapsed on top of her. They were panting and Delaney looked down to see a puddle of sex beneath them when JC rolled off of the counter.

“Can you move?” JC was stumbling over to his jeans.

“I think…so.” Delaney eased herself up and JC handed her the robe that had been tossed onto the floor just minutes ago. She looked at their evidence and smirked at him. “Guess I’ll be cleaning on my day off.”

“That was hot, D.” He cupped her chin in his forefinger and thumb. He kissed her once more and backed away. “I gotta get to my house and change. Otherwise, I’ll miss the first meeting.”

Delaney watched him leave and chuckled to herself. She’d never experienced anything like JC Chasez.

 

Andrea walked into the Human Resource office at 7:30 the next morning. It was her first day in the new department. Todd had helped her secure a new position so that she didn’t have to see JC in the lobby anymore and it would mean she was far away from Morgan.

The position wasn’t anything fancy. She would basically be a glorified receptionist, answering phones, making appointments, and seeing people to their interview. But the HR office was located a mile away from the hotel property and she wouldn’t have to worry about running into Morgan or JC, at least not as much.

After she’d been shown around, she made a cup of coffee and settled behind the desk that faced the entrance of the office. She signed on to the hotel website and began to pull up the calendar for that day.

She squinted and did a double-take upon seeing Morgan’s name listed as the first meeting of the day. What the hell could she possibly want in HR? Even worse, Andrea would be the first person Morgan would see when she walked into the office. It was all Andrea needed to start off her first day of work.

She sipped her coffee and pretended to busy herself in case Morgan walked in before the appointment. Then again, it was Morgan and if Andrea had known anything about her old roommate, it was that she couldn’t be on time to save her life.

But of course the one day that Andrea was hoping Morgan would be late, she wasn’t. In fact, she was earlier than expected. And she waltzed into the HR office as if she were a wounded lamb. Andrea could see right through her act but willed herself to play nice.

“Andrea? What are you doing over here?” Morgan’s wounded act was quickly dropped upon noticing her ex-roommate.

“I work here. Today’s my first day on the job.” Andrea’s response was terse and her face gave away no hint of any sort of emotion.

“Hm.” Morgan signed her name on the sheet by Andrea’s desk to indicate she was present.

“You can take a seat over there.” Andrea cocked her head to the side to point to the group of chairs in the waiting area. “Mr. Bass will be with you shortly.”

Morgan muttered a ‘thank you’ and walked over to a chair, sitting down and casually flipping through a tabloid magazine. Andrea eyed her and shook her head. There was no telling why she was here. It couldn’t be good; Andrea knew that much.

 

Lance Bass walked out of his office. As the head of HR at one of the largest resorts in America, he had seen and heard his fair share of stories. He felt he was pretty good at seeing through people and the first thing he noticed about Morgan was that she looked like a handful. Upon seeing him, Morgan tried flashing a flirtatious smile but it didn’t get her anywhere. Lance had been married to his partner for a good three years now and women had never done anything for him in that way.

“This way.” Lance had no time for being polite. He had a full day and this girl looked like nothing but trouble.

“Thanks for seeing me.” Morgan said just above a whisper. She took a seat across from his desk and Lance clasped his hands together and looked at her.

“Go on.”

Morgan grimaced. She was hoping for a bit more sympathy from this man. After all, she was about to tell him she was sleeping with the boss and was pregnant with his love child.

“Um, well, you see, this isn’t easy for me to say.” Morgan tried to wipe away fake tears but when she looked up at Lance, he was giving her an apathetic stare.

“Well, then, I suggest you find an easy way of saying it.” Lance was trying to show her he had no time for a long, drawn out story.

“Oh, ok.” Morgan cleared her throat. “So, I started sleeping with JC – er Mr. Chasez, a month or so ago. We were more or less together and now I’m pregnant with his child, except he wants nothing to do with me.”

Lance stared at her as if she’d lost her mind. What happened next was shocking to Morgan. Lance leaned back in his chair and let out a guffaw. “You, you expect me to believe that JC Chasez, the GM of this hotel, was sleeping with you?”

“Uh, well, yeah.” Morgan snapped back at him. “I’ve got a lot to offer.” She leaned forward trying to expose her breasts but Lance held up a hand.

“You’re wasting your time with those.” He gestured towards her bosom. “And do you know how many tales we hear about women sleeping with Mr. Chasez?”

“They’re not tales. He fucks every woman he can in this hotel!” Morgan raised her voice but didn’t care. “Regardless of my pregnancy, I slept with him and did it several times.”

“Fine. I’ll speak with him.” Lance sighed and brushed her off. “If that’s all, then you’re dismissed.”

Morgan sat there, flabbergasted. How in the world had this crumbled before her very eyes? This was not at all the way it was supposed to go.

“That’s it?” She looked at him in disbelief. “But-“

“That’s it.” Lance began to type something on his iPad and Morgan had no choice but to get up and walk out, completely defeated.

She walked past Andrea’s desk and out of the HR building. Before she got into her car, she let out a long sigh. She’d have to take other measures somehow.

 

Lance made sure Morgan had left the building and picked up the phone to call JC. He had been longtime friends with the boss and was often bailing him out of trouble when it came to women. The stipulation had been easy – Lance would cover for him and JC would let him keep his job.

When JC saw his office phone light up, he looked at the ID and rolled his eyes. Lance only called him when something had gone awry with an employee. Usually a woman. For a split second, he wondered if someone had found out the affair with Delaney, but quickly brushed it off to answer.

“Hi, Lance.”

“Some girl from the coffee shop was just here. Claims she’s pregnant with your child. I basically told her in the nicest way possible to get the hell out. But you’d better hope she’s lying.” Lance could hear the hesitancy in the pause on JC’s end.

“Uh..yeah. Yeah, I know it’s a lie. She doesn’t know the word ‘truth’.”

“Good. Just wanted to make sure you knew.”

“Yep. All good.”

“Ok, boss. Talk to you later.”

JC looked at the phone after he hung up. He felt a twinge of guilt but shook it off. There was nothing to worry about. He and Delaney’s affair was secure and the fling he’d had with Morgan was well in the past. He had nothing to worry about.

 

Three Days Later

 

Justin Timberlake stepped out of the limousine and stared up at the gleaming structure of The Chancellor Hotel. His great-great grandfather had built the hotel in hopes to compete with Henry Flagler’s hotel, The Breakers, in Palm Beach. It had worked. The same clientele who flocked to The Breakers also came down to The Chancellor.

After his father’s retirement two years ago, Justin had been given sole ownership of the hotel. While he and his family resided in Tennessee, he came down to Islamorada as often as he could. He knew his friend JC was doing a stellar job of keeping up the hotel as General Manager, but with the rumors floating around of multiple and countless affairs, Justin knew it was time to step in.

He chuckled to himself as he walked through the back entrance. He and JC had had their share of women back in the summers as college coeds when they would run the valet desk. There were plenty of women to share and take back to the old part of the hotel where no one worked. Yes, it had been fun. And even though Justin still had a mistress hidden away in Miami, he was by all accounts a family man now and for the hotel’s sake, he had to admonish JC’s behavior.

He continued the familiar path up to the second floor where the main hotel offices were. JC’s office was locked and it seemed nobody was on the other side. Just to make sure, Justin pressed his ear to the door. It was quiet.

“Oh well.” Justin sighed and turned away, deciding to get back to the family vacation home and settle in for the evening. He’d deal with JC tomorrow.

 

“Don’t look now but here comes the boss.” Ashley muttered to Delaney. They had been chatting about new spa packages in Delaney’s office when JC approached. Ashley had started to feel like Delaney was back to herself again. If anything, she was a lot more cheerful than usual and that made Ashley feel better about how secretive it seemed Delaney had been acting.

Delaney looked up and hid a smile as JC came up to the desk.

“Ms. Nixon, you need to see me before you leave today.” JC’s voice was firm and only Delaney could note the slight gleam in his eye.

“Sure. Ok.” Delaney shrugged and glanced away from him back to Ashley, who rolled her eyes.

“Ashley, I assume you’re here for a good reason?” JC hated sounding like he did now, but Delaney warned him that he couldn’t just overnight turn into a different person. Besides, it helped him keep the bad ass persona he was known for.

“Yes, if you must know we’re discussing new spa packages.” Ashley didn’t bother to look at him, only went back to Delaney and the pictures of the proofs that were to go in a new brochure.

“As long as you’re working.” JC cleared his throat and looked at Delaney. “My office at five. See you then.”

Delaney gave a brief nod but JC winked at her as he left the office and headed back to his.

“What do you think he wants?” Ashley asked Delaney.

Delaney shook her head. “I have no idea.” And it was the truth. She had no idea if they were finally going to fool around in his office or if he was really going to talk about issues at the hotel. “Anyway, I think these proofs look good. We’ll discuss it at the next meeting on Tuesday.” Delaney checked her calendar to make sure. “Yes, Tuesday. But I’m pretty sure everyone will agree.”

“Thanks, Delaney.” Ashley beamed and took her proofs. “I’ll talk to you later. Are you coming to Chancey’s tonight?”

Delaney would have to see what the night held for her and JC before she committed. “Um, I think. It depends on what JC wants with me.” Delaney hid a smirk.

 

At five o’clock sharp, JC looked up to see Delaney entering his office and closing the door behind her.

“What’s up?” She appreciated the casualness behind closed doors with him. It was one of many aspects she liked about their relationship.

“Do you have plans tonight? I mean, are you going to Chancey’s?” JC looked up from his laptop and smiled warmly at Delaney.

“Depends.” Delaney sauntered over to him and sat on the edge of his desk. “On what my boyfriend wants to do.”

JC grinned. “Well, I was going to ask if you-“ he stood up from his chair and leaned in to kiss Delaney –“wanted to take tomorrow off. I wanted to take you down to Key West for the night.”

“Oh, a road trip? Are we there yet in this relationship? Going out of town together?” Delaney wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him.

“Honey, I think we were there the night we fucked at the convention.” JC whispered into her ear. He pulled away from her. “Seriously, can you take the day off?”

“I just had a day off.” Delaney frowned and JC sighed. “And how would it look if both of us took off the same day?”

“You’re right.” JC met her forehead with his. “Then I’m making you dinner tonight.”

“Really?” Delaney brushed her fingers along his jawbone. “Should I bring my toothbrush?”

JC kissed her. “Mmhm. But don’t worry about pajamas.”

Delaney giggled against JC’s lips. “I never do.”

 

While JC was busy in the kitchen chopping up vegetables, Delaney took the time to look around at the pictures scattered about his house. Lots of framed ones of JC and who she assumed were his parents and siblings. A few of JC with big-wigs like Pharrell Williams, who’d stayed at The Chancellor last year, and Bruce Willis who’d vacationed there a few months before Delaney. She then spotted and old one –JC with a younger looking version of Chris. They were both laughing and behind them was The Chancellor. Delaney would recognize that façade anywhere.

“Hey, JC?” Delaney called to him from the living room.

“Yeah, baby?” JC looked up from his cooking and into the living room.

“Is this you and Chris?” Delaney held up the frame and JC grimaced.

“It is.” He gave a quick nod and went back to chopping.

Delaney looked at the frame and then back at JC. She placed it back on the table and walked back to the kitchen. “What happened?”

“What do you mean?” He didn’t look up from chopping the red peppers and pretended to be intently focused on the task.

“I mean what happened with you and Chris? You used to be friends or so it looks like from that picture.” Delaney motioned back to the group of pictures on the coffee table.

JC shrugged. “We grew apart.”

Delaney waited to see if he would continue, but she could see he was shutting down. “JC….”

“What? We grew apart. It happens.” JC looked up at her and caught her eye. “He was jealous that I got the promotion. And, well, I kind of wanted to date Ashley. But he got her first.”

“Well, for my sake, I’m kind of glad he did!” Delaney was trying to make light of the situation, one that seemed to still plague her boyfriend.

“Does he ever talk about it?” JC pushed the cutting board aside and looked at Delaney. “It’s fine if you can’t say anything. I’m just curious.”

“He’s mentioned it before,” Delaney said. “Just that you guys were friends.” She paused and reached across the island to touch his hand. “What happened to you? Did it just go to your head?”

JC shrugged and licked his lips. “I don’t know, Delaney. I was…I was angry about a lot of stuff.” He walked from behind the island and over to her, taking her hands in his. “And I’m not just saying this. But until a few weeks ago, I didn’t think I’d ever feel anything but resentment towards anyone.” He kissed her cheek. “You changed me.”

“JC-“Delaney knew she was blushing.

“I’m serious. You know it’s different.”

“Well, yes, we’re having sex and we’re in a relationship. It’s a lot different.”

“You know what I mean.”

Delaney looked up at him and smiled. “I know. I just like giving you a hard time.”

JC searched her eyes. “Thank you. I don’t know what I’d do without you.” He kissed her again. “I mean that. You’re probably the best thing I can say that’s happened to me and that hotel.”

 

JC was the first one at the hotel the next morning. He’d left Delaney asleep in his bed because he wanted to get to his office to finish up a few things before the day started.

He did a double-take upon seeing Justin Timberlake waiting at his door.

“Justin?”

“Hi, JC. Mind if we step in your office?” Justin’s tone was short and to the point.

JC looked at him questioningly but unlocked his office door and both men walked inside.

“Is everything okay?” JC took a seat at his desk and held his hand out for Justin to sit in one of the chairs in front of him.

“Well, I’m hoping it will be. I got a disturbing phone call a few weeks ago.” Justin crossed his leg over his thigh and leaned back into the chair. “Supposedly, you’ve been sleeping around with the staff. More than just one or two.”

JC looked at Justin with wide eyes, trying to hold back any indication that would give him away. “That’s ridiculous!” JC scoffed and rolled his eyes. “You know I try to always maintain a professional attitude whether in my personal or business life!” JC shook his head, wondering who had given that information to Justin. It had to have been Morgan. She was so intent on getting back at him for dropping her. ”Who in the hell would even suggest such a thing?”

Justin cleared his throat and looked at JC. He didn’t bat an eye when he replied, “Delaney Nixon.”

End Notes:
Reviews please :)
Chapter 14 by Alysen Blaine
Author's Notes:
As always, a shout out to Vicki for betaing this for me. I hope you guys enjoy this chapter. Lots of drama, in fact, more than usual I'd say ;) 

Delaney was almost exuberant leaving JC’s house later that morning. He’d left the coffee pot on for her with a note on a paper towel next to it that said, “You’re amazing. Can’t wait to see you today. JC.” Delaney had felt like a teenager taking the piece of paper towel and stuffing it in a side pocket of her purse. She was crazy about this man and not since her ex-husband had she felt this way about someone. In fact, she felt more for him than she ever had for Cale.

Driving to work, she sipped on her coffee and as busy as she knew she’d be that day, she could hardly wait to stop by JC’s office and tell him good morning. Last night had been just as amazing as the others with him. They’d had dinner on his patio that faced the ocean and then fooled around like teenagers on his couch before moving to his bedroom. She’d woken up when she heard his alarm go off just mere hours after they’d fallen asleep and even though she was tired, it was worth it.

After she parked her car, Delaney walked in through the back entrance of the hotel, saying hello to random employees who greeted her. She loved working here and the fact that JC was in her life only made it better. She’d thought about possibly breaking the news to Ashley soon and letting her know about the affair with JC. She simply just wanted to talk about him with someone. Maybe it would be ok after all.

Her phone buzzed in her purse and she pulled it out and smiled when she saw the text from him.

Come to my office.

Delaney grinned at the message. She had already been planning on it but the fact that he wanted her there made it even better. She walked down the long hallway to where JC’s office was. The door was opened and he was sitting behind his desk typing something into his phone.

“Hey.” Delaney stood at the doorway and smiled at him.

JC looked up and Delaney noticed immediately that something was wrong. “Close the door,” was his reply. Delaney figured something must have happened at the hotel because JC’s expression was solemn and gave no indication of any sort of emotion.

“What’s wrong?” She closed the door and walked toward him.

JC stared at her for few seconds before he spoke. How could it have been that just mere hours ago this woman had shared his bed and all the while was going behind his back to Justin Timberlake himself? She had nerve, he could give her that.

“Mr. Timberlake was in my office earlier this morning. He filled me in on a little secret you’ve been keeping from me.” JC still showed no expression and Delaney’s heart suddenly started to beat at a rapid pace. She knew exactly what he was talking about.

“JC-“ Delaney started but he raised a hand to cut her off.

“No. I’m going to talk now because I don’t trust a damn thing you say to me anymore.” JC snapped. “How the hell could you do that to me? Did you think you were going to get some sort of a raise if you ratted me out? Did you really want my job that bad?”

“JC, no, of course not. It was—“

“It was stupid of you. Fucking stupid of you.” JC shook his head at her. “You used me. You thought fucking me-literally fucking me- would get you somewhere, didn’t you?”
“It was more than fucking and you know that!” It was Delaney’s turn to snap. “First of all, if you’d listen to me, you’d know that I told Mr. Timberlake before we even left for Ocho Rios!”

JC said nothing, only looked at her in disbelief.

“And I told him because at the time I was having to take care of every single thing because you were too busy with that slut from the coffee shop!” Delaney knew she was raising her voice but she didn’t care. “To be honest –“

“Honest?” JC scoffed. “Honey, I don’t think you have an honest bone in your body.”

“Really? That’s how you’re going to treat me? I forgot I’d even called him, JC! I was so wrapped up in me and you that I-“

“Well, we’re done. I mean it. Whatever it was that we had is over because you are a fucking liar and you only did all of that to promote yourself.” JC’s tone was cold and sharp. Delaney hadn’t heard him talk to her that way since before Ocho Rios. “Mr. Timberlake is going to be calling you later today to offer you the GM position. We’d share it, I guess. In the meantime, I’ll be looking for another job.”

“He fired you?” Delaney could barely get the words out. “I didn’t want him to fire you, I only-“

“No, unfortunately for you he didn’t fire me. He wants us to co-run this place together but I don’t want to work with someone I don’t trust. So I’m trying to find another hotel.” JC looked away from her and back at his phone. “That’s all. You can go now.”

“JC-“

“That’s Mr. Chasez to you. Bye, Ms. Nixon.”

“You won’t even listen to me?” Delaney leaned forward in her chair. In the three weeks they’d been together, she’d seen a side of him that she knew existed and this hard-ass exterior he was putting up was a huge act. She knew it was due to his insecurities and she’d be damned if she let him try and do that with her again.

“I said goodbye.” JC looked up at her and their eyes met. Instead of the loving, blue eyes that she had gotten used to, she was met with a cold stare.

Delaney wanted to say something else. She wanted to defend herself, wanted to make him see that it had all been a huge misunderstanding. But he wasn’t going to listen and she didn’t know if she’d ever see that soft side of him again.

Forcing herself to get up, she walked out of his office and didn’t look back as she left. She felt as though she’d been punched in the stomach and as she made her way back to her office, she could start to feel tears welling up in her eyes. She quickly wiped them away and locked herself in her office for the rest of the morning.

 

In favor of doing the best we can here at The Chancellor, I am pleased to announce the promotion of Delaney Nixon, the Assistant Manager, to General Manager, a position she will share with JC Chasez. Delaney has been with us for two months and in that time has shown great progress and promise. Please join us for a celebratory cocktail hour on the rooftop of Mr. Timberlake’s home tomorrow evening at 7:00pm.

Lance Bass

Human Resources, The Chancellor

 

“Did you hear?” Chris had called Joey the minute he’d received the email from HR. “Delaney’s sharing the GM with JC now!”

Joey had been polishing off a beer stein and placed it down on the bar. “What? What happened?”

“You know what happened. Timberlake found out about all of Chasez’s fuck buddies and knew he couldn’t have that for the hotel so instead of demoting him, he put Delaney as a co-GM. It’s all politics. I don’t know why he didn’t just fire the S.O.B.” Chris swiveled around in his office chair and looked up when he saw Ashley entering his office. “Hey, I’ll see you later. Just wanted to let you know.”

“Thanks, man.”

“I guess you heard?” Chris hung up with Joey and looked at Ashley. “Delaney’s been promoted.”

“I did.” Ashley nodded. “I guess that was all the secrecy at the convention and what’s been up with her lately.” She sat down across from him. “Maybe she’ll start coming around again.”

“I just think she’s been busy with all of this. I’m sure Timberlake had to tell her to keep it secret.” Chris looked at the time on his phone. “Ready for lunch?”

“Yeah, I was gonna see if Delaney wanted to join us.” Ashley stood up and Chris followed her outside. They nearly ran into JC, who was walking down the hall.

“Ashley, shouldn’t you be at the spa?” JC snapped at her, stopping only to give her a glowering stare.

“It’s my lunch, Mr. Chasez.” Ashley muttered and didn’t bother looking at him.

“So why were you coming out of Chris’ office just now?” JC asked, a sharp tone in his voice.

“Because I always meet up with him here. Why is this so important?” It was Ashley’s turn to snap back.

“I think I’d watch myself if I were you.” JC turned on his heel and headed back to his office.

“It’s not just up to you anymore!” Ashley heard herself calling down the hall at him and immediately wished she could take it back.

JC slowly turned and faced both her and Chris. “Yes, you’re right. It’s not just up to me anymore.” It was all he said before slamming the door to his office behind him.

“Are you crazy?!” Chris put both hands on her arms and turned her around to face him. “Why the hell would you even say anything like that?”
“I don’t know what came over me.” Ashley shook her head. “All of the sudden it was just coming out of my mouth and I couldn’t stop it.” Both she and Chris began to chuckle with each other. “Come on, let’s go get Delaney.”

Delaney heard the knock on her door but didn’t get up. She’d been in her office all day doing nothing but crying and figuring out a way to fix everything.

“Delaney? It’s Ashley and Chris. You in there?” Ashley’s voice was muffled behind the door.

“I don’t think she’s there,” Delaney heard Chris say.

When Delaney was sure they were gone, she let out a breath and reached for her last tissue. She’d seen the email about the party at Justin’s rooftop mansion and it had made her cringe. She couldn’t believe how fast her world had just been turned upside down and right now there was no way of going back to how it had been.

Finally, at five o’clock, Delaney forced herself to leave the confines of her office. She glanced down the hall and saw JC’s door was closed. It was all she could do not to walk down there and knock. She stared at it longingly and knew going back to her house she’d be faced with traces of him everywhere. Three weeks had not been that long and she knew that. But in that time, she’d shared a lot with him. It was over now and it was her fault.

 

The view from Justin’s rooftop was exquisite. It looked out over the marshes of Islamorada and the lagoons dotted with yachts and boats. Delaney hadn’t wanted to come at all, but there was no way of getting around it. The damn party was for her after all. She’d worn a simple black and white striped sundress and had pulled her hair back in a messy bun. She sipped on a glass of Pinot Grigio and texted with Ashley, who had promised her that she and Chris were on their way.

Joey had been asked to man the bar that night and people were flocking to it. The line was long enough to wrap around the side of the rooftop and Delaney had been grateful that Joey saw her coming and went ahead and poured a glass of her favorite wine. She still felt numb to all that had happened yesterday. Sleeping had not come easily and only after downing a shot of whiskey and three sleeping pills did Delaney finally relax long enough to close her eyes. Yet, her sleep had been fitful and when she’d woken up, the pit in her stomach reminded her of why she was feeling so down.

She hadn’t seen JC at all in the last 24 hours since he’d dismissed her. They’d done a good job of disappearing from one another and Delaney was grateful that she had managed to not run into him at all that day. She knew it would be short-lived and soon they’d have to find a way to tolerate each other, that is until JC got a new position elsewhere.

Downing the wine, she looked over her shoulder and saw that the crowd hadn’t died down. It was funny – here she was at a party for herself but nobody was really coming up to talk to her. They were only here for the free alcohol. She looked down at her empty glass and walked over to the side of the bar.

“Hey, Joe?” She called out to Joey and he turned around from pouring a dirty martini.

“You done? Want another?” He went to reach for her wine glass but Delaney shook her head.

“Gin and soda.” Delaney replied and Joey just nodded and went back to making her drink.

“I knew she’d be by the bar.” Ashley came up behind Delaney and tapped her shoulder. “What’s the new GM drinking tonight?”

“Gin and soda.” Delaney turned around and smiled at Ashley and Chris. “Glad you could make it.”

“Oh we wouldn’t miss a party in your honor,” Chris said. “Hey, Joey! Throw me a Bud Lite!”

“Dude, do you see the line? Go stand in it!” Joey called back.

“I guess JC is too good for this party, huh?” Ashley mentioned after looking around for the other General Manager. Delaney cringed but gave a good poker face and shrugged.

“Who cares.” She glanced over at the bar just in time to see Joey walking over with her drink. “Here you go. I’ll hopefully be over to talk to you guys later. I gotta wait on a few of the other guys to get off work from the bar so they can take over.” Joey reached over and gave Delaney a quick hug. “Congratulations. I’m really glad you’re gonna be the other GM.”

“The nicer GM you mean.” Chris spoke up and then eyed Joey. “Seriously, dude, just grab a Bud Lite and hand it to me.”

“Timberlake doesn’t do domestic beer. I’ve got Heineken, Stella, Corona, and some German imported beer that I can’t even pronounce.” Joey went back behind the bar and began to toss together different drinks while he talked to his friends.

“Give me the unpronounceable German beer.” Chris replied. He turned to Delaney. “So, what’s your first order of business going to be? Firing JC?”

Delaney hated that JC kept being brought up. Every time he was mentioned, she could feel her skin crawl and wanted to change the subject.

“Ha, no. I’m not going to fire him.” Delaney sipped on her drink. “I don’t know. Honestly, this all came up pretty fast.”

“You mean this isn’t what you were dealing with in Ocho Rios?” Ashley asked.  “I thought for sure this had to do with that. You guys were gone the entire conference almost.”

Delaney tried to prevent herself from blushing and was thankful that the evening was yielding itself to the moon and the darkness didn’t allow her face to really be seen.

“Um, yeah, that was a whole other issue. It’s resolved now.” Delaney knew that was true. Resolved was a nice way of putting that it was over and done with.

As the night wore on, Delaney found herself in conversations with different higher ups in the company. She’d not really talked much to Lance Bass and his husband nor had she really had any dealings with Justin Timberlake himself. She’d had more gin and soda’s than she could count and was enjoying the buzz she was starting to feel.

“Oh shit.” Ashley groaned and tapped Delaney’s arm. “Don’t look now but Señor Jerk is coming over here.”

Delaney had just thrown back her fourth gin and soda and looked over to see JC heading towards her, Ashley, and Chris.

“Nice of you to make an appearance,” Ashley muttered under her breath and Chris squeezed her hand.

“Hi, Delaney.” JC was drunk and Delaney could already tell by the glassy look in his eyes. “Am I interrupting?”

“No, just glad you decided to come.” Ashley couldn’t help herself even though Chris audibly groaned in response to her statement.

“I wouldn’t miss it for the world.” JC hadn’t taken his eyes off of Delaney. In his drunken state, she was still beautiful. The dress she was wearing clung to her in all the right places.

If only she hadn’t been a liar.

“Are you enjoying yourself?” He was speaking to Delaney now and ignoring everyone else around them.

“I am. It’s a great party.” Delaney cleared her throat. “Excuse me, I’m gonna go get another drink.” Delaney left the group and headed back to the bar which was just as crowded as it had been at the beginning.

“You back for more?” Joey was still manning the bar. “Gin and soda?”

“Just a shot of tequila.” Delaney smiled and tried not to show how drunk she was starting to feel.

“Oh. Wow. Ok, then.” Joey poured a top shelf brand into a shot glass and handed it to her.

“Make that two.” JC was standing behind Delaney now.

“What are you doing?” Delaney snapped and turned her head.

“I’m toasting with you.” JC said through gritted teeth.

“Why are you here?” She was holding onto the shot glass but had yet to throw it back.

“To congratulate you, baby.” JC nodded his head at Joey when he was handed the shot glass.

“You were pissed off at me yesterday. Remember?” Delaney walked away from him, but JC followed her. She was trying to get rid of him and turned a corner that led to a bathroom, complete with a shower and a telephone by the toilet.  Just as she was shutting the door, JC pushed on it and they were standing face to face in the bathroom together.

“Get out!” Delaney hissed at him.

“You still have your shot.” JC gestured towards the shot glass she held in her hand. “Come on. Let’s drink to your new job.”

“I don’t want to!” Delaney turned away from him and tried to head for the bathroom door. He stood in front of it.

“Oh come on, it’s the least you can do!” JC was inches away from her face now. “Drink up. Come on. To you, Delaney. Best fuck I’ve ever had and best new GM that hotel will ever see.”

He was being sarcastic and Delaney knew it.

“I hate you!” She pushed him aside and as she did, tripped and fell into his arms.

“I hate you, too.” He looked down at her and smirked. Delaney tried to free herself but the way he was staring at her only made her want him more.

“I have to go.” She stood to her feet but was still balancing her arms onto his.

“So go.” JC backed her into the counter.

“You’re not making it easy.” Her voice was caught in her throat. They stared at each other for what felt like a long time but had only been a mere second or two.

“Delaney.”

“What?”

JC kissed her. It was fierce and fiery and Delaney didn’t fight it.

“Get up on the counter.” He growled into her ear.

“We can’t do it!” Delaney whimpered, shaking her head but hopping up on the counter anyway.

“I can’t get enough of you.” His hand was pushing her dress up to her waist and he hovered over her.

“JC…what…is this?” She was gasping for breath. He was suddenly going at her hard and she wasn’t stopping him.

“Just…shut…up.” He groaned into her mouth and drove his length in and out of her. Delaney clung to him, trying her best not to fall off of the bathroom counter. They both should have known it couldn’t last. They were addicted to one another.

 

“I’ll be back. I just need to go to the bathroom.” Ashley told Chris. “And where the hell did Delaney go off to?”

“She was at the bar I thought.” Chris chugged the last of his beer. “Speaking of, I’m getting another drink. You want one?”

“Sure.” Ashley waved to him and went around the corner to the bathroom.

 

“Come for me baby. Come for me hard.” JC growled into Delaney’s ear as he roughly circled his fingers around her clit. “You’re so fucking wet, D. I know you want to.”

“Mmph!” Delaney couldn’t form a sentence. She was intoxicated but very turned on and on the brink.

“Oh my god!”

Delaney gasped and looked over to see Ashley standing in the doorway of the bathroom.

“Shit!” JC stumbled away from the counter and fell over into the shower.

“What the hell, Delaney?” Ashley had her hand over her mouth and was looking at Delaney in disgust.

“It-um-it’s not at all what you think-“ Delaney wished she hadn’t started off that sentence in that way because it was exactly what Ashley thought. Any idiot could see that’s what it was.

“Close the door, Ashley!” JC barked at her and Ashley, who was quite in shock, slammed the door shut and stood on the other side not knowing whether to run back to Chris or wait for Delaney’s explanation.

“Bathroom occupied?” asked a familiar voice. Ashley turned to see Mr. Timberlake standing behind her.

“Uh, yeah. Yeah, it is.” Ashley cleared her throat.

“Huh. Too bad. I’ll just go downstairs, then.” He nodded at her and just as he was leaving, the door flew open and both Delaney and JC stumbled outside.

“Ashley, you have to listen to me. That was, um, it was…” Delaney was hoping her answer would have been better but so far it was sucking and she knew it.

“Delaney? JC? You okay?” Justin asked them and they both tried to feign as much innocence as they could possibly muster.

“Uh, yeah. Yeah, boss. The, um, the toilet was clogged and so I had to help her with that. The toilet.” JC was stuttering over his words and Justin was looking at him as though he had lost his mind.

“Really? Does the clogged toilet involve your fly being down?” He motioned towards JC’s zipper which was unzipped and his boxer briefs on display. “Or your dress caught in your thong?”

Delaney blushed and pulled her dress out of her underwear.

“Let me get this straight,” Justin eyed both of them, then Delaney. “You call and tell me this guy’s fucking everything that walks. You want to tell me that’s not what was going on in there? Cause I know what it looks like. I’ve been with this guy when he gets with women. And you two look like you’ve just fucked each other’s brains out.”

“Uh, sir, it, was-“ Delaney started but JC cut her off.

“Yeah, we were. That’s exactly what it was. In fact,” he looked at Ashley, “that’s what we were doing the whole time in Ocho Rios.”

“JC!” Delaney hissed.

“Oh give it up, Delaney. It’s not like it matters anymore.” JC blew her off and then turned back to Ashley. “Yeah, we basically fucked the whole weekend at the convention. That’s why you never saw her. And since we’ve gotten back that’s all we’ve done after work.” He looked at Justin. “But I never knew she was going to go behind my back about it. She should have known she was the only woman I wanted.”

“JC, you know that’s not how-“ Delaney started but JC continued.

“Anyway, it’s over. I just wanted one last little fling. You can understand, can’t you, sir? I mean, you’ve got your little woman up in Miami. We all need to let off once in a while.” JC knew he’d crossed a line. He was about to lose everything.

“Get your things and clean out your desk.” Justin was calm but clearly perturbed. “You’re done.” “Yes sir.” JC gave a mocked salute and trudged off in the other direction.

“As for you,” Justin turned to Delaney, “I’m not doing anything tonight. This party is supposed to be for your promotion. It’d be a shame to tell everyone it’s really a farewell party.”

Delaney gulped and couldn’t talk. Too much was going on at once. “So, enjoy your party, Ms. Nixon. But I think you should probably start looking for a new position, too.” Justin turned and walked away, leaving Delaney alone with Ashley.

“Is what he said true? Were you really with JC that whole time?” Ashley asked Delaney.

Delaney closed her eyes and let out a sigh, then nodded. “Yeah. It’s true.”

Ashley said nothing for a few moments. Then, “I’ve gotta get back to Chris.”

“Um, Ashley, are you pissed at me?” Delaney dared to ask.

Ashley had started to walk off but turned around to look at Delaney. “Yeah, I am. You lied to me. To all of us. I don’t think I can trust you anymore. I mean, I don’t know what exactly is happening but by all accounts, it certainly does look like you were trying to get to the top by any means possible.”

“Ashley, that’s not what happened. JC and I, I don’t know, it just happened out of nowhere and then we couldn’t stop. I never wanted any sort of promotion or anything else. I told Mr. Timberlake before I started dating JC and-“

Dating JC? You were dating?” Ashley looked completely baffled. “Sleeping with him is one thing but you guys were a thing?”

“I…yeah. Yeah, we were. Until yesterday when all the shit hit the fan.” Delaney sighed.

“You mean, you guys have been dating since the convention and you hid that from all of us?” Ashley backed away from Delaney. “I’m sorry, Delaney. But I need to walk away now. This is way too much to process.”

“Ashley-“

“Bye Delaney.”

Delaney stood there at the bathroom door trying to let it all sink in. She’d arrived at The Chancellor two months ago with no friends to speak of and starting alone. And now she was alone once again.

End Notes:
Did you enjoy? Leave a review!
Chapter 15 by Alysen Blaine
Author's Notes:
As always, thank you Vicki for double-checking my errors. elle-miranda, I hope you enjoy this one ;) 

JC didn’t know what hurt worse – the pain in his head from the hangover he was experiencing or the pit in his stomach from knowing he’d lost everything in only a matter of minutes. He rolled over in his bed and laid on his stomach, staring off into space. His bedroom still had hints of Delaney everywhere. He’d changed his sheets just the night before, but her scent seemed to linger.

Several times during the night, he’d woken up wondering if it was a bad dream. All of it. Getting fired was one thing; losing the one woman who’d seemed to reach him for the first time in thirty-nine years was another.

He didn’t really know what to do next. Normally, he would be going to work. He knew he had to go at some point that day and pack up his office, but he wanted to wait until he knew everyone had gone home for the day.

He shuffled out of bed and dragged his tired body into the kitchen. He needed coffee, that was for sure. Standing in front of the Keurig, he rested his palms on the kitchen counter and stared off into space. He had gotten used to waking up with Delaney and he missed her. Even if she had stabbed him in the back, he still missed her and he knew it would be a long, long time before he ever got over her.

He shook himself out of his daydream and began to make breakfast. He was ready for the day to be done with and it was only 7:30.

 

Ashley was at the spa early that morning. She hadn’t done much of anything except change a few existing appointments and listen to several voice messages left by guests confirming or canceling treatments. She leaned back into her office chair and sighed. She’d hardly slept the night before and had kept Chris awake by her constant tossing and turning. He wanted to take the day off but Ashley knew she needed to go in and do work to get her mind off of all that had conspired the night before. Chris reluctantly followed suit.

If she let herself dwell too much on it, she could then force herself to believe it was really real. Delaney and JC had been having an affair, Delaney had lied to her face, and now JC was fired and it looked like Delaney was going to resign. At first, Ashley had felt guilty for not listening to Delaney, but it was all so fast. Justin walking in on everything and Ashley having to stand there and hear first-hand all of this new information. It was too much too soon.

Of course it explained a lot. Delaney’s constant disappearing during the convention and JC’s oddly nice behavior towards hotel employees. Perhaps Delaney had done a good thing by sleeping with him, but she’d done a terrible thing by hiding it.

Ashley wanted to reason with herself for cutting off Delaney. First of all, she couldn’t trust her, that was for sure. Second, she’d gone behind everyone’s back – JC’s included – just to get herself to the top or so it appeared.

But maybe…maybe, Delaney had just gotten caught up and it had all happened so fast that-

No. No, Ashley wasn’t going to be that easy on Delaney. Clearly she had chosen her career over everything else that had mattered.

 

“Chris?”

Chris looked up to see Justin poking his head in his office door.

“Yes, sir?” Chris still felt ridiculous addressing Justin this way. He was a good ten years younger than him, but Justin owned the entire property and then some and Chris knew better than to reply with, “What’s up?”

“I’d like to talk to you about taking over the hotel. Delaney is resigning and JC was fired, for obvious reasons. You fit the bill for what I think I’d like the hotel to look like.” Justin had come in as he was saying this and sat down in one of the chairs across from Chris’ desk.

Chris looked at Justin almost incredulously. Take over the hotel? He knew he’d need to talk to Ashley about any of this before he gave Justin an answer. “Uh, wow. Well, sir, um, I’m very flattered. But, um, are you sure you don’t need to do an interview or anything like that?” Chris was fidgeting with his tie and cleared his throat. “Cause, I mean, it would be an honor, but I feel like you might want to-“

Justin held up his hand to stop Chris. “No, I’ve made up my mind and ultimately, it’s my decision.”

“Yes sir.” Chris nodded, still unsure. “I just need to speak with Ashley first.”

“Absolutely.” Justin stood to his feet as did Chris to walk him out of the office. “And Chris, don’t say anything to anyone else but Ashley. Delaney hasn’t officially resigned yet, but I know it’s coming. She really has no other choice.”

Chris let out a breath. “Yeah, well, I think we would all agree with you there.” He followed Justin out of the office. “I’m going to the spa to talk to Ashley.”

“Perfect. Be sure to let me know as soon as you figure it out.” Justin turned in the opposite direction and Chris headed down to the lobby.

 

“So, you’d be the GM? Like, the ultimate head of the hotel?” Ashley couldn’t believe what Chris had just told her.

“Yeah.” Chris nodded and watched Ashley’s expression. “What do you think?”

“I think it’s great. But don’t you need to wait until the air clears? Delaney hasn’t even resigned yet,” Ashley reminded him.

“I’d officially accept once all that has happened. But I wanted to run it by you before I told Timberlake. It’s a big responsibility and I don’t want to do it if you think it will hinder our relationship.” Chris reached over and squeezed Ashley’s hand. “We’ve got a wedding coming up and I don’t want to stress you out.”

Ashley shook her head. “Chris, if you want to do this, then I absolutely support you one hundred percent.”

Chris let out a breath. “Well, alright then. I’ll let him know I’ll take the position.” Chris walked behind the counter and pulled Ashley into a hug. “Thanks.” He kissed her.

“Well, what would you have said if I told you I didn’t want you to take it?” Ashley looked up at him and smiled.

“I wouldn’t have taken it.” Chris kissed her again. “You know, once I get to be the boss, I’ll be calling you upstairs for sexual favors.”

“Chris!” Ashley giggled.

“Just kidding. That’s what got everyone into this mess in the first place.” Chris pulled away from his fiancé. “I need to get back to work. I’ll see you for lunch.” Chris walked out of the spa and back to the main building. He passed The Cup and glanced inside. Morgan was there lazily pouring a customer a cup of coffee.

“First order of business is to fire her ass.” Chris muttered under his breath and opened the door to the lobby.

 

Delaney didn’t know how long she’d sat outside and looked at the back of the hotel. It was after seven pm and she knew everyone in the administration offices had gone home for the day. It was the perfect time to clean out her office.

She’d made the formal call to Lance earlier that afternoon. She knew there wasn’t going to be much of a choice. Justin had made it clear that she was either going to be fired or had the choice to resign first. Delaney knew that it would be easier to get another job in the long run if she resigned.

When it was clear there was no need for her to continue sitting in her car, Delaney finally got out and headed toward the back of the hotel entrance. The hallway was empty and Delaney breathed a sigh of relief. She didn’t know what she was expecting or whom she was expecting, but she was glad there was nobody in sight.

As she entered the administrative offices, her heart sank. It had all started here. JC Chasez had started out as a person she despised and overnight had turned into somebody she couldn’t get enough of. And now he was gone. All of it was gone.

She observed the pictures aligning the hallway of The Chancellor through the years. It hadn’t changed much on the outside but she was sure that there was always drama going on inside. It was just the nature of this hotel.

Delaney unlocked her office door and stared at her surroundings. It wouldn’t take that long to take everything out because she’d barely been there for three months. But it would take a long time to get over this job. She walked over to her desk and sat down. She knew she should start with cleaning out her drawers, but she just sat and stared ahead. This would be harder than she thought.

 

JC looked around his office and sighed. It was all packed up and it seemed emptier than it had in a long time. He walked to his picture window and looked out at the ocean, now hardly visible because of the shadow the sun was casting onto the building. He couldn’t believe it was all over. It still had yet to sink in.

Walking out of his office, he glanced down the hallway and saw Delaney’s door open. He wondered if the maid was cleaning but a part of him was curious to know if she’d been there clearing out her space as well.

He sauntered down the hall and stood in her doorway.

“Delaney.”

Delaney had been looking down at her desk, her thoughts a million miles away. She gasped when she looked up and saw him standing there.

“What?” Her tone was sharp but she didn’t care. A million feelings all at once pierced her.

“What are you doing here?” He was accusatory and stepped into the office.

“I should ask you the same thing.” The last time she’d seen him was the bathroom at the party. Sex in the bathroom. Any sex anywhere with him was amazing. And she’d never do it again.

He edged closer to her. “I had to clean out my office. Because you got me fired,” he spat.

Delaney glared at him. “I did not get you fired!”

“Oh. Ok. Really? Well, you did a damn good job of telling Timberlake I was fucking everyone in the hotel.” He stepped closer to her. “But you didn’t get what you wanted, did you? You didn’t get to take over the hotel.”

“Shut up!” Delaney stood and came from behind her desk. “I didn’t want your fucking job! But something had to be done. I thought I was doing the right thing. I didn’t know I would end up with you.”

JC regarded her and shook his head. “Yeah. But you did and all you had to do was call Timberlake and call the whole thing off.”

“JC, are you serious? I was so into us that I could barely think straight at work!” Delaney realized she was raising her voice with every word she spoke.

“You can say what you want, but you came here for one reason and that was to run this hotel. You thought charming your way into my life would get you my job. But it didn’t. And now we’re both screwed.” JC was standing in front of her now. “And it’s all your fault.”

Delaney shoved him. “I hate you!”

JC moved her arm away from him. “Well, the feeling’s mutual!”

She pushed him again and they glared at each other. She stared at him. Those lips that burned her skin when he kissed her. Those eyes that had looked into her own after hours of sex. His teeth that nipped her thighs and coerced her over the edge. His fingers that could penetrate her insides and get her screaming his name.

“What?” JC was still glaring at her.

Delaney let out a breath and before she knew what she was doing, she was kissing him hard on the mouth.

“What the fuck are you doing?” JC mumbled into her mouth, but he was backing her up against her desk.

“I should ask you the same thing.” Delaney bit down on his lip. JC gasped and pulled her hair as he pushed her down on top of the desk.

“I still hate you.” He growled into her ear and roughly shoved two fingers between her legs. Delaney was ever so glad she’d worn a maxi skirt. It made this much easier.

“Mmph!” Delaney panted and began to thrust against his fingers. “I hate you, too!”

“Do you?” JC bit her neck and began to roughly suck on her skin.

“Uh huh.” Delaney pulled him up onto the desk with her. He was hovering over her now, his fingers still going in and out of her.  “I don’t want your fingers, I want your dick!”

“You’ll have to wait.” JC hissed. “You’re not wet enough yet.”

Delaney locked eyes with him and began to rub her clit while he fingered her. “Since you can’t seem to do it yourself.”

“That’s not nice.” JC was turned on and she could see it all over his face. “You know I can get you off.”

“Yeah, but I wanna get off now.” Delaney rubbed herself harder. JC moved his fingers in and out at a faster pace.

“So get off, baby. Let me see you come.” He was staring into her eyes and Delaney began to quiver against him. “Yeah, that’s it, mama. I love it when you squeeze me like that.”

“JC!” Delaney was crying out now and all he’d done was finger her. He pulled his fingers out and sucked on them as she shook beneath him.

“You want more?” He didn’t give her a chance to reply. His dick was soon penetrating her and before long they’d both forgotten about why they’d come to the hotel that evening.

Frenzied, frantic, gasping, touching, screaming – it was the only way Delaney could describe what was going on between them. He would pull all the way out and then shove into her literally causing her head to come off the desk.

She was so pliable beneath him. He loved the feeling of her squeezing him. She was clinging to him. Crying. Groaning. Moaning. Whimpering. It was hot and wet and sexy and JC didn’t want to stop.

She was pleading with him to go harder while she dug her nails into his back. He was whispering in her ear, his breath hot and damp. And as soon as she’d come, he wanted her to do it again.

“I’m almost there, D. Squeeze me, mama. Make me come hard, baby.”

Delaney whimpered and clenched as hard as she could, moving back and forth. JC gripped the edges of the desk and she could feel him release inside of her.

And then it was done and they both laid their catching their breath, suddenly reminded of why they were at the office this late in the first place.

“What the hell did we just do?” JC moved off of her and began to pull his jeans on again.

Delaney was still laying on the desk, her mind in a fog. She couldn’t think or breathe. And before she knew it, she was fighting back tears.

“Are you crying?” He turned around and saw Delaney brushing away tears from her cheeks.

“No.” She was lying and he could clearly see that, but Delaney refused to give in. She slowly sat up and turned away from him.

“We can’t do that again.” JC wasn’t being harsh, he was being honest. “I think we probably shouldn’t see each other again.”

“I didn’t know you were going to be here.” Delaney whispered and was still turned away from him.

“I know. But it’s obvious we can’t stay away from each other…you know…like..that.” JC cleared his throat. “I have to go. I hope…I hope it all works out for you.”

“You, too.” Delaney didn’t watch him leave the office but knew he had gone when the door shut. It was then that she let out a sob and cried, not caring if anyone could hear her. He was gone and he wasn’t coming back.

End Notes:
If you like what you're reading, leave a review. Have any suggestions? I'm all ears!
Chapter 16 by Alysen Blaine
Author's Notes:
Vicki, you're the best! Hope you guys enjoy this one!

Two Months Later

 

South Beach

 

“…we have about twenty-five check-ins in the next half-hour. We’re booked at both restaurants and…”

As the GM of The Shore Club Hotel was listing off facts and figures for the day, Delaney’s mind wandered off as it normally did at that time. She had left Islamorada almost as soon as she could get out. Her old boss at the Ritz had given her a recommendation at The Shore Club, a ritzy, boutique hotel on South Beach. She was now the Front Desk Manager of the hotel, a huge step down, but after all that had happened at The Chancellor, she was thankful to be working in the hotel industry at all.

“Delaney, is your team ready?” Marco Rodrigo was the GM and a tiny, feisty Latino man. He wore a gold ring on his pinky finger and was always rushing to and from meetings. He was never in his office and hotel staff often complained that he was hard to get a hold of but when he did show up, he took care of business.

“Yes, sir.” Delaney looked around at her team of front desk agents. She was still getting to know them and in the two months she had been there, she’d kept her guard up. It had been too difficult losing not only her relationship with JC, but also with Ashley, Chris, and Joey. She hadn’t heard from them since she’d left, even though she’d left a card in Ashley’s mailbox before leaving for Miami.

It was a different world here at The Shore Club. Somedays it was better, other days Delaney missed her life in Islamorada so much that it hurt. But she knew it was for the best. She’d made one of the biggest mistakes of her career at The Chancellor and she was bound and determined to keep a clean slate now.

She headed out to the front desk and saw a line of people waiting to be checked into the hotel. The Shore Club was hip, new, and fresh because it was on South Beach. While there were plenty of famous people and well-to-doers who stayed there, the clientele was much younger than that of The Chancellor. Most of the people checking in looked like they were fresh out of college and using their father’s credit card to spend the weekend like a real socialite. One or two were yuppie looking business men who Delaney could already tell would be heading to the nearest upscale strip club. Yes, it was a different feel all around. And because of how it had ended at The Chancellor, Delaney appreciated it.

Her shift was from seven in the morning until seven in the evening five days a week. She usually took Sunday and Monday off, but because she’d closed herself off, she didn’t really do much with anyone. She’d considered going to a mixer at a local bar one night, but by the time it had started, she’d talked herself out of it.

The apartment she was renting wasn’t far from the hotel. It was right in downtown Miami and overlooked the bay. While most people she knew would kill for an apartment like that, Delaney had only gotten it because of its convenience to work and only took advantage of the views when she remembered.

For the most part, her mind was always on JC and late at night when she was trying to fall asleep, she’d think about the last time she’d seen him. She missed him desperately, but knew better than to try and ever find him. She’d finally reasoned with herself that he was a chapter in her life that had closed. He’d taught her a lesson and if that was all that he had been in her life for, then she was going to have to close that door.
The trouble was, she couldn’t. He was all she ever thought about and sometimes, fantasized about. He’d been the best sex she’d ever had and it was going to take a long, long time to ever forget him.

“Welcome to The Shore Club.” Delaney greeted her first customer with a bright smile. She didn’t feel at all what she was portraying on the outside. “May I have your name for check-in?”

 

“Yes…yes…yes…yes.” Chris was nodding and rolling his eyes as he talked on the phone. Ashley sat across from his desk and watched him in action. She could tell he was on the phone with a big-wig hotelier or someone from corporate that was going on about something that Chris didn’t care about.

In the two months he’d been at this job, Ashley had watched her fiancé take control of the hotel in a fresh, new way. He’d fired Morgan almost on the spot, he’d made Todd the Assistant Hotel Manager, Joey the Food and Beverage Manager, and it was encouraged for all hotel employees to have a drink at Chancey’s on the house if they were off during happy hour. Overall, The Chancellor had become an all-around fun place to work and the employees told Chris all the time how much better it had become-even those who hadn’t really known why JC was let go or left or didn’t know why Delaney suddenly quit. There was almost a light-heartedness to the atmosphere.

“Who was that?” Ashley asked when Chris hand hung up. He put his face in his hands and shook his head.

“Ugh. Lance. Again.” Chris shook his head. “I guess he would check in daily with JC and I’ve told him before I don’t need him to do that. So instead he calls and just tells me about the stupidest stuff.”

“You’re too nice.” Ashley rolled her eyes. “Why don’t you just not answer the phone?”

“Because I get duped into thinking he’s actually calling about something important.” Chris sighed and looked out the picture window behind his desk. “I still can’t believe I have this job.”

Ashley couldn’t believe it, either. It was overnight that Chris had accepted the position and almost immediately he’d promoted Todd and Joey. Chris’ schedule hadn’t changed too much, except that he worked more often than not on weekends but could take off more days now.

Ashley had kept the card from Delaney in her mailbox in her office desk drawer. She’d been debating on how to respond. She missed her friend, especially when she would meet up with Joey and Chris after work for drinks. Sometimes Todd and Andrea would join, but Ashley didn’t feel the connection like she had with Delaney. That and the fact that Andrea had also been one of JC’s flings had given Ashley a bad taste in her mouth.

She wanted to reach out to Delaney but was uncertain how to go about doing it. She could easily find out where she’d gone, but Ashley needed more time to process it all. Looking back, she knew Delaney had just gotten mixed up too fast in JC and the hotel. Deep down, Ashley knew that her friend hadn’t been trying to get to the top by sleeping with JC; it had just happened. But it made her shudder thinking of the weeks that Delaney had blatantly lied to her face and that was what made it more difficult to want to reach out and forgive her.

“For what it’s worth, Chris, I think you’re doing a great job. And I’m not just saying that because I’m your fiancé.” Ashley smiled at him and came around the desk to peck his lips. Chris playfully grabbed her butt and pulled her down into his lap. “Chris!”

“What? I told you I’d pull you in here for sexual favors.” He wriggled his eyebrows at her and Ashley threw her head back and laughed.

“No, we aren’t gonna do what other managers did before you.” She gave him a pointed stare and hopped off his lap. “I have to get back to the spa. I’ll see you after work.” She kissed him again and headed out of his office.

Chris sighed and looked down at his office phone. Ashley was right. He was too nice to Lance. He somewhat felt sorry for Lance because after JC had left, Lance was rather alone over in HR. Chris didn’t need useless information –rather, gossip- that Lance would feed him. If he did that with JC, that was fine, but Chris wasn’t JC and didn’t thrive on who was sleeping with whom or who was applying for a promotion. He wanted to be a different GM and hearing all of that made it difficult to make educated decisions on what to do with the hotel. He realized just how much JC must have depended on Lance and John down in valet in order to keep the hotel running the way he wanted it to run. He kept them around to give him the “goods” on who was doing what, or who, or anything else that made someone suspicious in JC’s eyes. But Chris didn’t need any of that. He wanted to be partial and fair. Something he guessed the hotel hadn’t run on in quite a while.

He checked his watch and saw it was nearing time for rounds downstairs. He put his phone in his back pocket and left his office, heading for the lobby.

 

JC stared out at the vast expanse of the ocean that could be seen from his kitchen window. The water was calm and because of the bays and inlets in Islamorada, there weren’t any rough waves. Crystal clear water fed into the marshes and beyond. He could look out of that window forever and not ever get sick of the view.

The flashbacks had returned. They weren’t as vivid, but JC would wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat. It was always about his birth mother, Lisa. Lisa leaving him with Karen and Roy. Lisa returning but JC shutting her out. Lisa dying and JC never getting to say a real goodbye. He knew it had to do with Delaney. Because he hadn’t gotten to say goodbye to her, either. Not really.

Two months. Had it really been that long? Sometimes it felt like two years. Other times it felt like only two weeks. He was still in Islamorada living off the six months’ severance package he’d been given by the hotel. He knew he had to start looking for another job and soon. His name was a joke in the hotel industry and he knew it. But he had no other experience and didn’t know what else to do.

The truth was, he had loved his job; He’d just taken it all for granted and used all of his power to his advantage. If only he hadn’t acted upon impulsiveness, if only he had reasoned with himself, if only he’d been nicer, if only….He could do this all day long but it wouldn’t stop.

His biggest regret was Delaney. He couldn’t stop thinking about her. He would wake up looking over to the other side of the bed and almost wishing her to appear. At night, he’d sit on the back porch drinking a beer and picturing her next to him. He’d only been with her for almost a month and yet she had imprinted on his mind more than any other woman ever had.

He knew she’d left Islamorada but that was about all he knew. And the only reason he even knew that was because he’d driven past her house a week after they’d been let go and seen the FOR SALE sign. Islamorada was small enough that word got out and he knew she’d moved elsewhere.

JC picked up his coffee mug and sipped from it. The liquid burned his tongue and he cursed under his breath as he moved away from the kitchen window and walked into the living room. Several times he’d debated on whether or not to call the one person who would know where Delaney was. Lance was the only person at the hotel who’d really give him any information. He had to have known because as the head of HR, all of Delaney’s mail would have to be forwarded to her new place of residence. His heart ached thinking that she could be on the other side of the country or even worse, the other side of the world. Taking a position at another hotel in another country wouldn’t be unlike her. She’d mentioned it to him on occasion and this would have given her ample opportunity to go.

JC picked up his phone and looked at it before dialing Lance’s number. He could at least find out where she was and go from there.

 

“Thank you for calling Human Resources at The Chancellor. This is Andrea. How may I assist you?”

JC cringed when he heard the voice on the other end of the phone. He cleared his throat and tried to sound as monotone and nonchalant as possible. “Lance Bass, please.”

Andrea recognized that voice anywhere. “Mr. Chasez?”

JC didn’t say anything for a second but finally sighed. “Uh, yeah?”

“Oh, um, sorry. I’ll connect you.” Andrea fumbled with the phone and JC could hear her on the other end. He’d probably made her uncomfortable if anything.

Andrea couldn’t get rid of him fast enough. Her fingers trembled as she connected her old boss to her new one.

“Lance Bass,” came the familiar voice on the other end of the line.

“It’s JC.” JC shifted on the couch and rested his feet on the coffee table.

“JC? Hey, man, it’s good to hear from you. How are you?”

“Well, I’ve been better.” It was the best answer he could give him.

“I’m sure,” Lance said.

There was an awkward pause and JC realized Lance probably couldn’t say too much to him. He was so damn loyal to whomever was in charge and JC wondered if he thought the phone call was just to get information about the hotel. He figured he should cut to the chase.

“I was just wondering, uh, would you be able to tell me Delaney’s forwarding address?” JC bit his lower lip. “I know it’s probably going against protocol, but I, uh, I just wanted to send her something.”

Lance was quiet on the other end. Then, “Well, no, I’m not supposed to but as long as you don’t tell Mr. Kirkpat-I mean, Chris, then yeah, I’ll give it to you.”

“You have my word.” JC vowed. “I won’t say anything.”

“Just a minute.” Lance said and JC could hear him typing into his computer. He was bracing for the worst. California. Hawaii. Alaska. Or Australia. Or –

“JC? She’s got an address for Miami.”

JC could feel everything inside of him scream relief. Miami was just an hour away, if that. It wasn’t even on the opposite coast of Florida. “Miami? Really?”

“Yeah. Looks like she’s….oh, she’s working for The Shore Club.”

“On South Beach?”

“Yep. Looks like it.”

“Ok, thanks, Lance. I really appreciate it. And I promise I’m not going to breathe a word to anyone.”

“Thanks, JC. I hope things start looking up for you soon.”

“I hope so, too.” JC hung up and stood to his feet. He had to shower, change, and get on the road to Miami.

And hope and pray that Delaney was on duty at whatever position she now held at The Shore Club.

 

It was nearing 7PM and almost the end of Delaney’s shift. Her feet ached and she was already looking forward to soaking in a nice, long, hot bath when she got home. Her lunch break had been hours ago and the thought of picking up Thai food on her way home was making her stomach growl. That was the beauty of living in such a diverse city like Miami – she never lacked for different ethnic foods to sample. Not that Thai was so out there or anything, but after living in Islamorada, she had had her fill of seafood restaurants.

She double-checked the reservation list. Normally, most of the check-ins had already happened earlier in the day but there were a few high profile guests coming in late that night and she had to make sure everything was in order for the next manager on duty.

Her stomach growled again and one of her colleagues turned and looked at her, chuckling.

“Sorry,” she apologized but smiled. “I haven’t eaten since one.”

“Hey, no need to tell me. I totally get that.” Her name was Eden and she had joined the front desk team the same time as Delaney had been hired. She was fun to work with and often Delaney would find herself making jokes with Eden about difficult guests they’d had to deal with. That was as far as it had gotten because she’d sworn to herself that she wouldn’t mix business with friendship ever again.

 

JC gave his keys to a valet and headed into the lobby of The Shore Club. It was much smaller in comparison with The Chancellor and not at all as ritzy. It was definitely a typical South Beach-style hotel with art deco surrounding its interior and upscale, but subtle fixtures.

He didn’t have to look hard to spot Delaney. She was on the other side of the lobby talking to a colleague behind the check-in desk. His heart raced upon seeing her. Her hair had gotten longer in just two months or maybe it had always been that long but he’d not paid attention. As soon as he’d seen her, he knew he’d missed her more than he’d ever missed anyone in his life.

 

Delaney started the process of shutting down her computer and opening the cabinet where her purse had been stored below. She placed her bag in front of her and glanced at the clock by the computer. 7PM on the dot.

“Okay, Eden. I’m out of here.” Delaney turned to her colleague. “See you tomorrow?”

“I’ll be here with bells on.” Eden winked at her and gave a small wave goodbye.

“See you then.” Delaney turned to walk from behind the desk and gasped when she saw him standing in front of her. “Oh shit. Uh, I mean, oh my god. JC?”

JC stared at her and pursed his lips into a thin smile. “Hey.”

“How did you know-I mean, how…what..what the hell are you doing here?” Delaney hadn’t meant to come off as rude as she’d sounded but she was in shock and felt as though she had no control of anything coming out of her mouth.

“Does it matter? I wanted to see you. I needed to see you.” JC was soft in his response and Delaney could feel everything inside of her come to life. She turned and glanced behind her. Eden was staring at them with a confused expression.

“Uh, um, ok. Let’s, um, let’s go somewhere. I mean, to talk. Are you hungry? I need to eat dinner.” Delaney hadn’t realized she was talking a mile a minute.

“D, it’s ok. I know I surprised you.” JC put his hand on her arm and Delaney felt a chill run down her spine. Nobody called her “D” but him. It was his name for her. And she hadn’t heard it in what felt like ages.

“Yeah, you did.” Delaney walked ahead of him, not entirely sure of what she should do next. She stopped in the middle of the lobby and turned to face him. “What are you doing here?”

“I-I just, I wanted to see you.” JC locked eyes with her and she couldn’t force herself to look away. “Can we go somewhere? Just to talk. I just want to set things right with us. And I…I had to see you.”

“You said that.” Delaney whispered and shook her head quickly, her forehead resting in her hand. She heaved a sigh and then looked back at him. “Fine, then let’s go get something to eat. I hope you like Thai food.”

End Notes:
Your reviews keep me inspired!
Chapter 17 by Alysen Blaine
Author's Notes:
This one's all about them...

Sitting across from one another at the restaurant, Delaney felt as if she were in a stand-off with him. They'd gone through the formalities - "How are you?" "How's the new job?" "Are you staying in Islamorada?" - and now it was silent. His blue eyes gazed at her. They weren't hateful or mean or judging. They were soft and kind and the eyes she'd known during and after Ocho Rios.

And she still thought he was the sexiest man she'd ever been around. Just looking at him brought on so many flashbacks of what they'd been like just a few months ago. Laying with him in bed after sex and giggling and whispering together. Climaxing together as one. And that one time on the counter in her kitchen. God.

"Delaney?"

She was so deep in thought that she hadn't realized he was speaking to her.

“Huh?” Delaney looked up at him.

“The server wants to know what you want.” JC cocked his head towards their waiter, who was standing next to Delaney and waiting for her to place an order.

“Oh. Uh, Pad Thai. I mean, I’ll have the Pad Thai, please.” Delaney cleared her throat and handed him the menu.

“Coconut curry soup or salad with ginger?” The server stood by waiting on Delaney.

“Uhm…soup. Please. Thanks.” She smiled at him and then looked back at JC. She was starting to get lost in her thoughts and had to consciously make an effort to block any fantasies of them together in her head.

“So, do you like your job?” JC figured he would at least be just as surfaced as she was being. He knew there was much more to get into tonight. He wanted to find out the truth. He wanted to know if she really had set out to sabotage him. Or was it all just an honest mistake?

“It-it’s ok. Definitely a step down, but you know, it’s a job. And it’s in the field I want to be in.” Delaney picked up her glass of water and began to drink it so that she wouldn’t have to talk anymore.

“Hey.” JC shook his head and reached over to touch her arm. “Look at me. Let’s just be honest with each other ok?”

Delaney stopped drinking mid-sip and stared at him. “Ok. Well, what do want me to say?”

“I want you to tell me if I was right. About the whole Timberlake thing. About you coming to the hotel just to work your way up. About…” JC trailed off and took a breath before he spoke again. “About us. Me and you. Because we had a good thing, D. A really good thing. You know you’re the first woman who’s ever made me feel the way I felt.”

“You’re the one who accused me of getting you fired.” Delaney wasn’t being cold, she was just being honest and JC had to agree with her because he knew it was the truth.

“Yeah, I know. I-I just have had a lot of…issues, I guess, trusting women.” It was his turn to pick up his glass of water.

Delaney knew about the adoption, knew about the way it had affected him, knew that it was the reason he had acted like an ass back at The Chancellor. He’d never dealt with some of these issues before and for some reason, the universe felt it right to pick Delaney to be the one to help him overcome them.

“I know you do.” Delaney leaned in closer to him. “But if you knew I was different, why didn’t you just ask me instead of accusing me? You never gave me a chance to explain.”

“I’m giving you a chance now.” JC folded his arms in front of his chest and leaned back into his chair.

Delaney sighed. “Ok, fine.” She splayed her hands on the table as she began to speak. “I called Mr. Timberlake a week before we left for Ocho Rios. He said he’d come in in a few weeks. When we got to Ocho, you and I were pretty caught up in the moment with each other and you kind of made me forget all about my phone call to him. And when we got back, it was like you had become a completely different person and I just, I don’t know, I forgot about everything. You were kind of the only thing that made sense to me.”

JC knew she was telling the truth but he wanted her to continue, so he said nothing.

“And,” she went on, “when you told me that day that he’d spoken to you, I was devastated because I knew what you must have thought. But I guess I was hoping you’d let me explain. JC, I wouldn’t have ever done anything in the first place if I knew where you and I were going to end up. You made me forget about life before The Chancellor. All I wanted was to be with you and run that hotel together. And I’m so sorry that you think I ruined your career. You’re a good manager. You really are.”

“I thought you said I was an asshole?” JC asked.

“You are. I mean, you were. And you know you were.” Delaney sighed and shook her head. “You treated that staff as if they were your servants. But when it came down to getting hotel business done, you knew what to do. And nobody can argue that. Even people who hated you knew you knew how to manage that place.”

“Well, I’ll never do it again.” JC muttered and looked away. “My career is ruined.”

“Is it?” Delaney was asking an honest question. “Have you tried looking for another job?”

“No. I mean, not in the hotel industry. There was an opening at The Breakers for their golf pro shop, but I don’t want to do that. I could go to a Holiday Inn or something, but it would be a big step down.” JC folded his hands on the table, then cracked his knuckles.

“I took a step down.” Delaney glanced up at him. “Just because The Shore Club is upscale and all, it’s nothing like The Chancellor. But the pay is decent enough for me to live in downtown Miami. And I’m still getting severance so that helps. You should look into something. Anything, really, so you aren’t just sitting at home.”

“I’m not just sitting at home. I…” JC was trying to think of what he actually had done since he’d left the hotel. “I-I’ve started cooking. I mean, cooking more.”

Delaney smirked and then pursed her lips together.

“Don’t laugh at me!” JC couldn’t help but smile at her and then they both started to chuckle. “Fine, you got me. I don’t do much but sit around the house. Sometimes I’ll go for a run or whatever but it’s hard to go out and run into people all the time.”

“Then leave. Get out of there. Why are you still in Islamorada?” Delaney leaned in closer to him.

JC had to wonder that himself. Why was he still in Islamorada? Delaney had left, he had no friends, really, except for Lance, who most of the time was so surfaced with him that there wasn’t a friendship to be had.

“I don’t know. I guess…it’s familiar.” JC gave the most honest answer he could think of off the top of his head. And it was true. It was familiar and he hadn’t known anywhere else in a long, long time.

“You should leave. Go somewhere else.” Delaney looked up and saw their food was coming and for a minute, the conversation ceased while they started to eat.

“Where would I go?” JC was speaking more to himself but had asked the question out loud and Delaney stopped eating and looked at him.

“Well, where do you want to go?” She had caught his eye and they were now intently looking at one another. She could feel a chill go down her spine and did her best to ignore it. Instead, she waited on him to answer her.

“I don’t know, to be honest. Maybe a hotel in the Caribbean. Or maybe go up north to Manhattan-“ He chuckled when Delaney made a face, “Or not. I don’t know. You’re right, I do need to get out of Islamorada.”

When dinner was finished, the small talk returned and soon enough, it was as though neither of them had been apart from each other at all the last two months. It felt comfortable and familiar and Delaney didn’t want it to end.

“I don’t know what you’re planning to do now, but you know you can always come back to my apartment for a drink or something.” Delaney was trying to make it as casual as she could without it sounding like an invitation for sex.

JC hid a smirk. He knew too well what happened whenever he was alone with Delaney. But he also knew they’d been away from each other and she could have easily changed her mind. It was unlikely, but he knew it was a possibility.

They sat on her couch that overlooked the city. JC could see the cruise ships in port and the lights of South Beach lit as the sun slipped behind the clouds. Delaney really did have a stellar view.

“Here.” She handed him a glass of wine. “It’s a red. Not sure if it’s good or not but my boss gave it to me last week.”

“Thanks. Hopefully I won’t die.” He winked at her as she sat down next to him, a glass of wine in her hand, and pulled her knees under her legs. She had changed out of her work uniform and into leggings and an oversized t-shirt. Her hair was pulled back into a ponytail and she looked cozy with fuzzy socks on her feet.

“You’ve got a great view.” JC nodded towards the window. He wasn’t as relaxed as her, and leaned forward, resting his arms on his knees.

“Yeah, it’s nice. I take it for granted most days.” Delaney sipped her wine. “How is it?” She nodded at the wine in JC’s hand.

“Huh? Oh, I haven’t tasted it.” He looked down at the wine, took a sip, and nodded. “Yeah, it’s good.” He hadn’t really cared about the wine. Just being next to her was good enough for him.

The more they began to converse, the more the wall was let down and they could be themselves with each other. They laughed telling each other stories about The Chancellor and The Shore Club. Delaney impressed him with her knowledge of the industry there in Miami. She really did know her stuff and JC thought it ridiculous that her talent was being wasted as a Front Desk Manager when she could have very well managed the entire hotel.

Soon the bottle of wine was finished and as Delaney went to open another bottle, she noticed the time on the microwave.

“JC? It’s almost 3AM!” She turned around and looked at him, shaking her head. “Wow. I had no idea.”

“Me either.” JC shook his head. “I guess I’ll go.” He went to stand but Delaney stopped him.

“No. Just sleep on the couch. It’s fine. I can grab you a blanket from the linen closet.” She walked past him and JC glanced at her as she opened a small closet near the bedroom and retrieved a red cotton-knit blanket.

“Thanks.” He smiled at her and took the blanket, then yawned. “I guess I’ll see you in a few hours. What time do you have to be at work tomorrow?”

“It’s Sunday. I’m off.” Delaney walked over to the entrance of her bedroom. “Sleep well. I’ll see you in a few hours.”

She shut the door behind her and JC waited on the couch, for what he didn’t know. Would she come back and invite him in her bed? Or would she pounce on him and let him take her there on the couch?

After a minute or so, he shook himself from that fantasy and laid down on the couch. She wasn’t going to come back.

Delaney had just laid down in her bed and knew she should have fallen asleep when her head hit the pillow but her brain wouldn’t let her. She knew all she had to do was open that door and tell him she wanted him in bed with her. Or she could have easily gone out there and seduced him on the couch. She’d noticed the subtle looks he’d given her throughout the night, but she’d ignored them because she knew it had to be over.

Somehow she fell asleep because the next thing she knew she had opened her eyes and it was raining. The sky was dark, but Delaney knew it had to have been at last nine or ten in the morning. She groaned and rolled over, picking up her phone off the nightstand. 9:30. She let out a sigh and got up from the bed. She quickly brushed her teeth and put a brush through her hair.

Purposefully, she didn’t put the leggings back on. Not that she wanted to entice him, but…no, who was she kidding. She wanted to entice him.

JC was still asleep on the couch when Delaney walked into the living room. He’d taken his jeans off and laid them across the chair adjacent from the couch. She knew underneath that blanket that all he had on was a pair of boxer briefs. Realizing she was staring at him, Delaney moved away from the couch and quietly made her way into the kitchen.

JC could hear the coffee pot brewing and he rubbed his face with one hand before sitting up on the couch. “D?”

Delaney had just put a piece of toast in the toaster and stepped away to look at him.

“Hey,” she greeted him. “I’m making us breakfast. Coffee’s almost done.”

JC nodded sleepily and let out a sigh. “Where’s the bathroom?”

“In my bedroom.” Delaney answered, her back turned to him.

He got up from the couch and sauntered into the bedroom. He could feel his morning erection pressing against his boxer briefs and made sure the door was closed and locked before he took care of it. It wasn’t hard to get off that morning. He had plenty of thoughts going through his mind about who he wished he was with.

Delaney had just finished setting the table when JC emerged from the bedroom. He was still in his boxer briefs and she glanced at him long enough to see his chest and arms before he threw his undershirt over his head.

“How’d you sleep?” Delaney asked him, as she handed him a bowl of scrambled eggs.

“Good. That’s a comfy couch.” He replied and piled eggs on his plate. He had definitely taken notice of her legs and the way she had crossed them underneath the table. Had she meant to not put her leggings on when she got up that morning? JC knew he was over thinking it. No matter, she still looked hot.

“Good. I’m glad it served its purpose.” Delaney bit into her toast and looked out at the Miami skyline, which was hardly visible with the clouds and rain. “I’m glad I’m off today. It means I can go back to sleep once you leave.”

“Already trying to get rid of me?” JC winked at her and Delaney felt herself blushing.

“No, that’s not what I meant.” She shook her head. “But you know what it’s like to have a good, rainy day off.”

“I do,” JC said.

They were quiet while they ate. Delaney could feel his eyes on her the whole time but she ignored it. No sense in going down that treacherous path again. Especially because he was more than likely leaving today and she wouldn’t see him for God knew how long.

“Finished?” She asked him, getting up from the table.

JC just nodded, wiped his mouth with his napkin, then handed over his plate. He watched her walk into the kitchen and stared at her. How long were they going to pretend there was nothing between them? He wasn’t stupid and neither was she, but JC knew Delaney felt she had more to lose and that’s why she hadn’t come onto him in the last 14 hours they’d been together. If she still felt like it was her fault for the break-up, she wasn’t going to risk it and he knew that.

He stood up and walked into the kitchen.

“D.”

When she heard his voice behind her a million and one chills felt as though they were penetrating her skin. She was facing the sink and running water over their dishes. She knew that timbre in his voice. She knew what he wanted.

“Yeah?” Her voice cracked and she slowly turned to face him. He was standing in front of her now.

He didn’t say anything, only leaned in and kissed her.
“Mm, JC.” Delaney moved away from him and backed herself into the refrigerator. ”I don’t think that’s the best thing to do.”

He looked at her, eyes penetrating hers, and moved closer. “D, come on. We’ve been fighting it since we saw each other last night.” He cupped her face in one hand. “Please, D. Let me kiss you. I’ve missed you so much.”

Delaney almost protested again but when his lips met hers she couldn’t do anything else but give into it. He had her pressed against the refrigerator and then he was backing her out of the kitchen, all the while still kissing her.

“You can’t tell me you didn’t wear that t-shirt and nothing else for no reason,” he growled into her ear and Delaney gasped when he bit her earlobe.

“Fine, you caught me.” She grunted against his mouth and licked his lower lip with her tongue.

“Where you wanna go?” He gasped between kisses.

“I don’t care.” Delaney moaned and it was the truth. The couch, the bed, the floor. It didn’t matter. Hell, if they knocked over the kitchen table and dishes broke, she wouldn’t care.

He somehow got them over to the couch and toppled over her without letting go.

“You don’t need this anymore.” He grabbed the hem of her t-shirt and she sat up long enough to throw it behind her. She laid down and he gazed down at her breasts. They were full and her nipples were hard. He snickered. “We were dumb to think we couldn’t stay away from each other.” His lips were sucking on her nipple, while his thumb and forefinger squeezed her other one. Delaney groaned beneath him and with her foot began to slide his boxers down his waist.

“Whoa, easy honey.” JC chuckled and looked up at her while he kicked the boxers to the floor.

“I just want you so much. I’ve missed you inside of me,” she whispered and began to buck beneath him. “Please, JC. I want you so much.”

JC rested his thumb on her clit and began to rub back and forth. He smiled feeling his fingers getting soaked in her juices. “I know, but I just wanna make sure you’re wet enough.” The sounds of his fingers moving in and out of her now were making Delaney cry out in pleasure.

Delaney sat up so that she was straddling his lap and looked down at his fingers moving in and out of her. She began to ride against them and soon his fingers were soaked.

He pulled them away and was just about to suck on them but Delaney grabbed his hand and put his fingers in her mouth.

“D, holy shit, baby, that’s so fucking hot.” JC watched as Delaney closed her eyes and sucked off her juices from his fingers. He moved so that she could slide down onto him and when he entered her, she bit down on his fingers.

“Just fuck me, JC. Please.” She held onto him tighter, her head buried in his shoulder as she moved with him. “I’ve missed you so much, baby.”

“You have?” JC backed up against the couch and held onto her tighter.

“Uh huh. I think about you all the time.” She kissed his lips and moaned into his mouth. “I think about you inside of me and fucking me like this. God, baby. Go deeper.”

She was normally not so talkative during sex, but JC wasn’t going to argue. He would go deeper or harder or back off or whatever she wanted. He just wanted her like this and didn’t want to let go.

He reached down to play with her clit and Delaney whimpered, her forehead meeting his. Their eyes met and JC wrapped his arm around her with his free hand holding her close as he penetrated deep inside of her.

“I-I’m almost…oh god, JC…I’m almost there.” Her voice was caught in her throat and as she spoke she felt the orgasm hit her. JC held her as she shook on top of him, whispering into her ear how much he wanted her this way. How much he loved being inside of her. How good she felt to him.

“You can’t leave.” Delaney said a few minutes later. He was growing soft inside of her and still holding her against him.

“Are you begging me to stay?” JC raised an eyebrow at her and she giggled at him.

“No, I’m not begging. I’m telling you. You can’t leave. We’re going to figure something out.” She kissed him and moved off of him.

He followed her into the bedroom. “Well, what if I have to go back and get all my stuff?” He watched her as she went into the bathroom and cracked the door.

“Then you come back and you and I will figure something out. We always do.” Delaney began to clean herself up and came out a few minutes later. “You know we do, JC. We ran a damn hotel together and it flourished.”

“Yeah, but then-“ JC started and Delaney shook her head, cutting him off.

“We won’t fuck it up this time. I won’t fuck it up, I mean.” She walked over to him and wrapped her arms around his neck. “Please, baby. You said it yourself a few minutes ago that we were fighting this. We were. We’ll keep fighting it, too. We’re too good together.”

JC let out a breath and gave her a puzzled look. “What do you mean exactly? You and I in a relationship is one thing. You and I running a hotel together is another. And I think you’re saying one thing but meaning another.”

Delaney kissed him and played with the hairs on the back of his neck. “What if we opened our own hotel?”

“Opened our own hotel? What do you mean?” JC pulled away from her.

“I mean just what I said. We both have a lot of experience. And we know the hotel industry.” She sat down on the bed and looked up at him. “We have enough connections. We just need to find the right city and –“

“Whoa, whoa.” JC put a hand up. “Slow down. We just fucked about two minutes ago and we’re getting back together and that’s awesome, but Delaney, opening a hotel? Together? You don’t think that will be bad?”

“It was bad before because we had a miscommunication. We’d make it small. Like…like a boutique hotel.” She touched his arm. “What have we got to lose?”

JC sighed and sat down next to her. “I’ve already lost everything else. I guess it can’t hurt.”

Delaney took his chin in her thumb and forefinger. “You know you and I are a powerhouse together. We fucked up and now’s our chance to make it better. We owe it to one another.”

“We did fuck up.” He nodded and laid down on the bed. He pulled Delaney next to him and she kissed his chest, her chin resting near his stomach. “I guess it’s worth a shot.”

“I knew you’d see it my way.” Delaney couldn’t help but gloat before she pulled him on top of her.

End Notes:
Show this story some love :) 
This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2676