Grown by B-Twice
Summary:

  

 LeToya Brown witnesses the brutal of her beloved parents  Left alone with a young brother to rise, LeToya is forced to grow up a lot faster than she ever dreamed. Enduring hardship after hardship for most of her teenage years, she gets a call from a long lost cousin that deals her a new fresh start, not knowing that a fresh start will come in the most unlikely form that’s until she meets him. He was her blessing in disguise and that disguise happens to come in a 6'2 tanned, slender tattooed body with bullet wound scars and a past just as dark.

 


Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: Justin Timberlake
Awards: None
Genres: Alternate Universe, Drama, Romance, Suspense
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: No Word count: 30296 Read: 4319 Published: Oct 01, 2014 Updated: Jul 19, 2015

1. Cast by B-Twice

2. Prologue by B-Twice

3. Chapter 1 by B-Twice

4. Chapter 2 by B-Twice

5. Chapter 3 by B-Twice

6. Chapter 4 by B-Twice

7. Chapter 5 by B-Twice

8. Chapter 6 by B-Twice

9. Chapter 7 by B-Twice

10. Chapter 8 by B-Twice

Cast by B-Twice

 photo LeToyaBrown_zpsba669be7.jpg" alt="" />

 

 photo JustinTimberlake_zpsb6153338.jpg" alt="" />

 

 photo 239ebcca-6d70-449b-82ca-25162b252982_zpsa6298bf7.png" alt="" />

 

 photo CharlieTimberlake_zpse570bce5.jpg" alt="" />

 

 photo MichaelAugustine_zpsaa2a0508.jpg" alt="" />

 

 photo c04b04e5-04c8-41c5-a940-24fb9306c188_zps0d703c7b.jpg" alt="" /> 

 photo oscarmartinez_zps2cb1b1f4.jpg" alt="" /> 

Prologue by B-Twice
Author's Notes:
I've gotten so many e-mails about my past story "Grown" that I wrote in 2007. I haven't been able to find a copy of it via the internet or old archives. So after much self-delibration. I decided to revise the story in an ypdated way. So I hope I do my story justice once again :) Enjoy. The banner was done by Shona(BlackCoffee)

 

The rain was imminent.

She stared aimlessly at the passing gray clouds, in search of something. A sign this moment in time was merely a dream. A figment of her imagination running wild that this was the consequence of staying up late and watching those lifetime movies while purging the fridge of all times of greasy left overs. She looked a sign of God’s face simply to say that this is not what it was.

She dropped her eyes from sky and turned to stare straight ahead.  Was there even a God? The God she grew up hearing about was a God that watched over his devoted children. He saved from the fowler and the enemy that lurked in the darkness ready to devour his own creation. That God couldn’t have and wouldn’t let this happen.

She swallowed down a lump in her through as she looked around the limousine. The varies faces, some she saw on a regular and some she saw on special occasions and others she saw on mere accident from time to time. The look of grief, regret and disbelief washed over their face. They would look up for a moment pulling themselves out of their own despair enough to look at her and give a slighter of a smile in hopes to break her from her own pain.

She didn’t speak nor did she return the weak smile. She just stared on with a blank stare void of emotion. She felt numb to all that was happening. It didn’t feel quite real to her yet maybe this was what they called post-traumatic stress disorder she overheard her aunt say to the pastor that visited their house one late afternoon.

She googled it and she would say her findings represented how she felt. Maybe she had this disorder, maybe it was all in her head. But right now, she felt numb and disconnected from those around her. Expect for one.

She felt a hand wrap around her fingers and gripped tightly. She looked down at the slender, small fingers and to the face that occupied them. She stared right into the teary eyes of her little brother; he sat right under her like he never has before in the last couple of days.  She held onto his hand as his eyes cast out the window as the car came to slow crawl right in front a church.

The car stopped and the door shortly after opened. She exited the door with her hand still holding tightly onto her brothers hand as family began to crowd around them. They were ushered towards the church doors with men dressed in fine tailored suits and white gloves covering their hands. As they walked to the doors, she could hear the music playing.  They climbed the few steps and the doors were opened before them.

The pews were filled to the brim and spilled over along the white walls and stained windows. She heard the sniffling and the muffled cries from various people. She felt his hand tighten even more as he stepped closer to her nearly hiding behind her arm. She gave him a gentle squeeze of reassurance.  She drew a deep breath and kept her eyes straight ahead cautiously stepping inside and making her way down the long aisle towards the altar as two open white caskets were set out before the altar surrounded by array of flowers and in the very center two pictures of the people everyone was gathered for.

She could feel the trembling of her hand, but it wasn’t from her own. She dropped her hand and wrapped a secured arm around his shoulders as he dug his fingers into the side of her black pea coat. She continued on her descend towards the front altar. Each step was tortures as the weeping began to get louder behind them. She knew everyone heart was breaking, not from their own grief before her and her brothers. She was determined to be faceless because she knew the moment she lost composure that it went send everyone into cascade of welling and weeping.

She could began to see the faces apart piece by piece over the siding of the caskets. She swallowed down the raising lump that had been trying to force its way up all day. She pushed it back down with a little more force, but it didn’t stop the tears begin to tickle the corners of her eyes. She didn’t dare to blink. As they got closer to tried to find something to distract her enough to gather her slowly unraveling emotions.

She could see their faces, their lifeless faces as though they were in a deep sleep, but she knew they weren’t there. The men dressed in all black moved around beside them while they felt the trembling hands of their aunt standing behind him. They stood mere feet from them and she could hear the muffled cries of her brother as he buried his face into her side.

“Come on Damion come here sweetie its okay.”

She turned to see the pastor wife wrapped her thick arms around him as he covered his face with his hands and turned away from the caskets.  She looked up into the First lady’s face as she had tears streaming down her face as well.

“Go on LeToya, I’ve got him sweetheart.”

LeToya looked on for a minute before turning back around as the men guided her towards the first casket to her right. She stepped closer to peer down inside as she took in the face of the man she once called father. She looked over his large statue as he laid in a neatly pressed blue suit with a lighter colored tie. He looked just as he always did every Sunday Morning for church, well put together. The tears began to swell once more,” I’m going to miss you daddy.”

She drew herself back blink back her tears and turned to face as she was lead towards the other one. She could feel her heart pounding against her rib cage as she stepped over and peered down into the other taking in the sight of her mother.

She was pure beautiful dressed in a laced off white long sleeved gown. Her brown hair curled tightly and framed around her light brown skin. Her hands folded over her stomach covered in lace gloves. Her make-up was kept at a minimal which always how she worn it. She was flawless alone. LeToya drew a shaky breath as she placed a hand on her quivering stomach.

” What am I supposed to do without you?” She whispered over the casket. She stood there waiting for answer that she knew would never come, but she asked again a bit louder.

What am I supposed to do without you?” Her voice crackling as she repeated It over and over again with every breath her voice falling her, until she forced it out in a bellow cry.

“WHAT AM I SUPPOSE TO DO WITHOUT YOU!?” She gripped the side of the casket causing it to shake. Quickly her hands were pried from it and bodies were surrounding her, distancing her from the casket and blocking her view. It began to be difficult to breathe with every passing moment as she cried hysterically as the voices around her beg her to breath. Her legs gave way causing to fall to the ground, the grip of her arms by others breaking her fall a bit.

Through the swarm of people, she got a look at the wooden large cross that stood tall behind the caskets as she struggled to breath she stared at it whispering within herself, before her body gave way to the lack of oxygen and her vision went black.

How could you do this to me?

What am I supposed to do now?

A voice whispered back into the darkness.

 

 

Be STRONG! 

Chapter 1 by B-Twice

 

2 years later

“Shit, come on.”

LeToya clasped her hand around her other wrist as she tried to steady her trembling hand enough to insert her key into the lock.  She inhale and exhaled deeply as she turned the lock as quietly as she could. She reached down pulling the door knob towards and listened from the pop of the lock to confirm it had been unlocked successfully.

She pushed the door and stepped inside the dark house, only taking a step onto the wooden floors and hearing the tap from her high heels did she decide to slip out of her shoes at the door leaving them outside on the porch.

Once she fully stepped inside, she closed the door behind her leaving just crack enough that a slither of the auburn colored street light reached beyond the door. She stood at the door to listen for anything that alerted her that someone was up. After a few seconds, she quickly darted across the living room and down the narrow even darker hall.  She blinked her eyes a few times only to wipe them furiously as the runny mascara and eyeliner stung her eyes.

Once she was relieved of the stinging, she slowed her quick walk as she walked along the far right side to avoid the squeaky floorboard, before she reached the door she wanted and opened it and disappearing inside. Once she made it inside, she carefully closed the door. She turned around looking around the slightly lit room as the street lights poured through torn blinds.  She walked over to her twin sized bed and got down onto her knees, pushing away clutters of shoes before she reached a black duffle bag. She pulled the heavy bag from underneath. She took it and placed it by the bedroom door and went into her closet quickly grabbing another that was tucked away in a corner behind boxes of shoes. Once she placed the other bag beside the door.

She turned around looking over to the other bed that shared the room. She quietly walked over bending down and reached her hand out to shake the sleeping body. She shook it hard a few times before she heard a groan and it shifted around until they were facing her.

With a rub of his eyes,”Toya?”

She smiled wearily,” Shh, yeah it’s me”

He let out a soft yawn,” Where were you, you didn’t come home for dinner?”

She ran her hand down his arm,” Yeah I know, I had to go into work unexpectedly, but listen Damion I need you to get up and slip on your shoes. We have to go.”

Damion frowned as he looked over at the digital clock as it read 3:25 a.m,” T, where are we going?”

She grabbed him firmly with both hands as she stared into his sleepy eyes as she tried to speak through the tears that threaten to spill,” Damion, we have to get out of here. I will explain later. But right now we have to go before she wakes up.”

He looked into his sisters eyes as a lone tear escaped the ducts of her eyes. He nodded and sat up pulling back the single sheet. She stepped back and pulled a pair of shoes from under his bed and handed it to him.  She gathered the bags and handed one to him, once he had his shoes on.  She motioned for him to be quiet before opening up the door and quietly and cautiously made their way down the hall. Once they reached the door, she motioned for the door and gave him the keys to her car.

As he went ahead, Toya walked over to the dining room table and pulled the top of her shirt open digging into her bra for a neatly folded piece of paper. She carefully unfolded looking back over her shoulder and tossed the unfolded paper onto the table. Then turned onto her heels and exited through the front door taking one last look before closing the door.

Toya picked up her heels and made a dash through the unexpected rain that was coming down hard. Damion pushed the door open as she flung it open and slipped inside. She sighed as she pushed back her mass of curls from her face and turned on the car as it roared back to life.

Damion looked at his sisters as she pressed the gas letting the car heat up. He looked over her wet clothes as she wore one of his bleached black Nike shirts with a really short pink skirt or dress and some fish net stocks. She oddly look like she had been out partying rather than working.

Toya could feel his eyes on her, she glanced over at him,” I’ll explain later. Right now we have to go.”

He nodded sitting back in his seat as she threw the car into reverse and they both buckled up and drove off.

Ten minutes into their drive Damion couldn’t help himself,” Where are we going?”

“Why don’t you get some sleep, we are going to be driving for a while.” Toya responded glancing over at him, giving him a soft smile before pulling a pillow from the floor of the backseat.

She lifted up the center console and placed it down between them and patted it. He pulled the front of his seatbelt around to his back and leaned over resting onto the pillow. She smiled rubbing his soft black hair and turned up the radio a bit as it played soft r&b. She rubbed his head as she always done when he laid beside her. It always put him to sleep and it always gave her peace knowing that he needed her just as she needed him

Right now, they were going to be all that have for a long time.

 

 

 

8 years Later…

Rocks and gravel dinked against the metal of U-Haul as it drove at a steady 80 miles per hour. She kept her eyes forward looking through the tint of her sunglasses. She propped her left arm against the car door as she brushed a strand of unruly light curls back from her view. She took in the view once more. She noticed the trees becoming more and more frequent verses the miles upon miles of orange sand and dirt. Finally, a change in scenery, she thought.

 

She glanced over at the body that was huddled in the corner of the van with arms and faced tucked inside a baseball cap leaning on a pillow. She couldn't help, but grin. She fixated her brown eyes back on the road as she caught a pass signing stating 80 miles to Los Angeles. She let out a breath of relief that after almost 48 hours she was an hour and a half or so outside of her destination. She couldn't wait to get out of the car and stretch her legs again.

She reached over and nudged the sleeping body a few times before it muttered and groan pushing back every time she nudged even more, she snickered," Wake up D, we are almost there."

She glanced back and forth between the roads as she watched her younger brother rub vigorously at his face as he stretched his long slender body out as much as he could give his height.

"How many more miles?" He inquired with a deep raspy voice still laced with sleep.

"80 miles."

"How long I've been sleep?" Slipping his sunglasses back over his eyes.

"2 hours."

He groaned as he rolled his neck trying his best to get the knots out his neck while taking in the view," I thought we were going to make a stop in Las Vegas. "

She snorted.

She had no desires to stop in Vegas so that he could get taste of what was to come when he came of age.

"You wished I stopped in Vegas, I told you that our last top was it until we got to Los Angeles. The less stops we make the faster we can get in and get settled. I have enough at looking at sand domes and plastered bug guts to last me a life time."

He let out a rumbling chuckle, shaking his head," You call Mike yet?"

"No, go ahead and let him know where we are."

He nodded and dug down into the pocket of his basketball shorts fishing out his cell phone and dialed up the number placing it on speaker. It rung a few times before a voice was heard.

"Hello?"

"Hey Mike, its me Damion man."

"Oh what's up man? Where y'all at?"

“About 80 miles out Los Angeles.” Toya spoke up while keeping her eyes on the road.

“Damn, you made good time. Cool, I’ll just meet you at my house in an hour. You should be there by then. I’m at the barbershop right now. I’ll let yall rest for a minute then we can go grab some dinner.”

Damion nodded licking his lips and Toya chuckled,” Yeah that’s fine we will call you once we hit Pasadena I think. “

“Alright cool. See ya soon cuz.”

Within the next hour Toya was exiting the van with a sigh of relief outside the house of her long last cousin Michael. He exited his house with a warm bright smile as he embraced Damion in the middle of his lawn as Toya walked around and stepped onto the sidewalk.

“Damn, D you tall as hell. How tall are you?” He asked in amazement.

Damion smiled adjusting his hat,” 6’2.”

Michael shook his head and turned to see Toya with a smile. He walked over wrapping his arms around her tightly,” Hey Toya.”

She smiled wrapping her arms around his waist, returning the lovingly hug. It had been a long time since she had seen Michael. The last time they saw each other was the day after her parent’s funeral, he hopped a bus back to Los Angeles where he stayed with his Dad. When he turned 18, he got the hell out of dodge leaving his estranged mom behind, which ended up being their caretaker for two years. She never knew why they had such a bad relationship, until she lived with her.

Michael wanted to take them in, but he wasn’t financially in the position to do so with his ill father. A year after her parents died, his father found out he had stage 2 prostate cancer. So, the medical bills piled up and Michael had to work two jobs to help with keeping them afloat.

Her uncle died a year ago. And left him the house and a large sum of money that would let him live comfortable for a few years and helped pay off all his debt. When he got news of the money, he sent out for them.  When Toya got the phone call she didn’t hesitant because they weren’t living the grandest of lives.

They were held up in a one bedroom apartment in the Bronx’s. She worked two jobs just to pay the rent and other she was public assistance for or whatever money she could get from her school refunds for night classes she took. It has been a hard couple of years, but managed the best way she could and even Michael helped out when he could.

He was the closest thing she had to an older brother, but mostly he was her best friend someone she could go to with her worries and her burdens so she didn’t have to place all that on Damion’s shoulders. He was living it with her and that was more than enough.

They hugged for a while, until he pulled back looking into her soft brown eyes. He gripped her face,”
It will get better from here.”

He assured her in a soft whisper. She wanted to let out a cry of relief, but just smiled and nodded. He winked at her and threw his arm around her shoulder,” You guys hungry?”

Damion clapped his hands together,” STARVING.”

Toya laughed nodded wrapping an arm around his waist,” Yeah we could get.”

“Okay yall more than welcome to go in shower and then we can head out.”

A shower was definitely something she could use right now.

“Did you want a double or single?” The fiery red headed woman looked over her thick glasses suspiciously.

“A single is fine.” Toya fished out her prepaid card and ID as she waited for the woman to ring up her total.

“For the week its 189 and I’m going to need to see your ID.”

Toya slid it across the counter looking at the woman with a blank stare. The woman held the ID up beside her face and then sucked her teeth. She took her card and slid in the card reader before handing it back once it was approved.

She printed out the receipt and slid it over for her to sign. She quickly signed it and handed it back as she turned to look towards the running Car.

The woman grabbed the key and handed it to her,” Okay the room is around back, you break anything it will be deducted from your card honey. If you lose the key, it’s a 25 replacement fee. No funny business or illegal drugs. If I have reason to suspect any such thing, I will call the police and have you escort of the premises with no refund.”

Toya rolled her eyes as she reached over the key the woman brought it back bit,” Understand?”

Toya huffed as she held out her hand again and the woman placed it in her palm. Toya grabbed her cars and stuffed them back in her wallet and rushed out to the running car, climbing in. She looked down at the still sleeping Damion as she pulled out the parking spot and made her way slowly around the other side.

 She checked out of her window as she read the various numbers and pulled into a spot right in front of room 120.  She turned off the car and rubbed Damion head gently before nudging him awake,” Damion we are here.”

He stretched with a yawn sat up rubbing his eyes. He looked out the fogging windows and then looked to Toya as she opened the door letting a gust of wind in. He shivered and opened up his side getting out along with her. He helped her grab the bags out of the car and followed behind her to the motel room door. She unlocked it and the door open allowing them walk inside.

The room smelled of fresh linen with a hint of old mold. She walked over turning on the lap on the nightstand and motioned for Damion to close the door. She pulled the window curtain close and turned on the heat to get the room warm. She watched as Damion wander the small quarters of the room before turning on the TV and sitting on the edge of the bed. Even though he didn’t glance at it once but watched her as she began to open one of the bags pulling out a bag of dry goods she bought.

“Are we running away Toya?” Damion cut straight to the chase.

“No.”

“Then what are we doing here?”

Toya sighed stopping as she held a can of corn in her hand. She didn’t know what to tell or how to tell him. She didn’t know how to explain that they were on their own. That they couldn’t go back to their aunt’s house because she had taken sole custody of him. She didn’t know to tell him why she had to do it. He was so young. So innocent and all she could do was think to protect him from the cruel and unusually punishment this world could give you.

All she knew is that she had to protect. Even if that meant she had to grow up faster than expect.

“Do you trust me Damion?” She simply asked.

He answered without a doubt,” Yes.”

“All I need you to worry about is trusting me. I need you trust and believe in me.”

He slowly nodded as she held glance she walked over to him and kneeled down in front of him holding his hands into her.

“I love you and I will do anything and everything to make sure you have the chances Daddy and Mommy always wanted us to have. But from here on out just know that without a shadow of a doubt no matter how it may look.  I AM doing anything and everything just  to do that.”

 

Chapter 2 by B-Twice

LeToya rose the next morning from the guest bedroom of her cousins’ house and made her way to the back porch with a cup of jasmine green tea and sat down in one of the sun beaten chairs. The sky was bathed a deep orange as it peeked over the horizon. Even the mornings were pleasant in Cali.  She pulled her legs up towards her chest and the heels of her feet dug down into the cushion of the seat while hugging onto her coffee cup.

 

She took a moment to gather her thoughts like she did ever morning. While Damion was sleep, she usually would get up and go running, but after the long 2 and a half day drive she couldn't bring herself to muster up the energy for her normal five mile run. She inhaled the steamy goodness of her tea and took a sip with closed eyes.

 

She breathed in the jasmine scent with the mixture of freshly cut grass and the morning dew. She didn't know when was the last time she was breathing car fumes and back alley nauseating aromas with drunken pedestrians finding any nook and crane to piss in. She quietly whispered a thanks to the heavens for this breakthrough opportunity.

 

She looked back through the glass door as her little brother stretched out along the worn leather couch with his face deep in his pillow and his arm dangling onto the floor. She smiled warmly before turning back taking another sip. Ever so thankful.

 

She sat out until the sun rose up fully, her cup ran empty and her quiet moment was interrupted by her cousin as he pulled back the sliding door and stepped outside with her.

 

"Good morning." His voice croaked a bit as he had his own warm beverage, freshly brewed coffee.

 

She threw him a pleasant smile," Morning."

 

 

He leaned down kissing the top of her forehead before sitting down beside her letting a much needed release of yawn and shake to wake himself. They both looked at each other and chuckled.

 

"Sorry."

 

She waved him off pushing a couple of strands of her curls back out her face. Michael took a couple more sips of his coffee before looking over at her," How you been holding up?"

 

She glanced back over to him and shrugged," Always the best way I can."

 

 

"How did Damion feel about the move once you told him?"

 

 

They both glanced into the house to see Damion still in his deep sleep," He handled like he handles everything in stride. As long as I am okay, he's okay."

 

 

"He hasn't given you a hard time?"

Toya lifted an eyebrow and smiled," Nothing that I can't handle. He's a teenager he tests his limits from time to time, but all around he tries his best not to give me a hard time and I try my best to not smother him. I have to constantly balance being his guardian and his sister."

 

 

"That can't be easy." He looked out towards the lawn, taking another sip.

 

 

"Nope none of this has been easy, but it’s doable."

 

Michael nodded in understandingly. He knew what she meant dealing with his father and his terminal illness and after his death was anything, but easy. But he did the best he could and that was all you could do was just do it.

 

He reached over grabbing her hand as it rested on her knee," I don't know if I've ever told you, but you are one the strongest, bravest woman I've had the pleasure of knowing and being related too. Damion is pretty damn lucky to have you."

 

She squeezed his hand," I'm pretty damn lucky to have him and you."

 

He winked dropping her hand and ruffling her head full of brown curls," So anyways, I'm going to go inside and cook us up some breakfast and we can head out to the apartment complex afterwards. My homeboy's girlfriend said she can only hold the paperwork until the end of closing day."

 

Toya nodded dropping her feet down onto the ground," Yeah we can do that. We will get cleaned up while you cook."

 

"Cool and I'll hop in the shower after we eat."

 

Michael stood up and pulled back the sliding door allowing Toya to walk in front before following behind closing the door.

 

After morning showers and a belly full of breakfast, they were on the streets of Inglewood. Michael and Damion in the U-Haul and Toya following behind them in Michael's fully loaded dodge charger. She glanced out the tinted windows at the various places trying to get a feel of the area she will now be calling home.

 

 

The ride wasn't long it was about ten minutes away from Michael's, but fifteen due to light traffic. They soon pulled up into complex of Shady Grove apartments. They complex was small, four sets of apartment building looking to hold about 45 apartments.  They pulled up at the leasing office and Toya hopped out with her bag following behind Michael as Damion waited in the car.

 

After about fifteen minutes of signing papers, she collected her keys and they headed out back towards the front to the first set of apartments and she was grateful that they had gotten bottom apartment for a change and it seemed for the time being that didn't have any upstairs neighbors.

 

 

 

 

Michael motioned to the top floor," They use that apartment as a showroom. So you don't have to worry about anyone moving in."

 

Another thing to be thankful for.

 

She walked to the door, slipping in the key and unlocking. The first thing she noticed was the fresh smell of paint and carpet. No more cold wooden floors. They stepped inside and Damion darted back towards the bedrooms and Toya headed for the kitchen, black appliances and dark colored counter tops.  Plenty of kitchen storage and plenty of cooking space.

 

"Two bedrooms! Shit yeah!" She heard Damion shout.

 

"Damion!" She warned.

 

He emerged from the back with a sheepish grin," Sorry, but finally my own space."

 

She just smiled at him with a knowing grin. She moved around the counter and he threw his arm over her shoulder," We done come up now sis."

 

She laughed shaking her head as they moved around the apartment checking the place out. As Chris awed at the space, Toya walked around turning on switches and checking the sinks to make sure things worked properly.

 

 

Michael followed behind her as she stood in the middle of her son to be bedroom as her face behind to frown as she was in deep thought," I got the rent covered for about four months until, you get a couple of checks stacked underneath your belt. It’s only $650, but don't tell anyone it turns an easy $800 for a two bedroom and two bath around here. My homeboy’s girlfriend boss owes her some favors."

 

Toya sighed a bit with relief looking over to him as he leaned in the doorway with his arms folded," I don't know how to thank you Michael."

 

He shrugged walking over to her as he pulled her into an embrace," You don't. We family, we are all we have. We stick together. I just wish I could have helped you sooner."

 

She hugged his waist tightly," This was right on time. Trust me."

 

He pulled back squeezing her arms and kissed her forehead," It always is."

 

She hugged once more before releasing him all together," Well let's get to unloading."

 

He nodded letting her lead the way.

 

 

It didn't take long for them to unload and began setting up the apartment. Since they didn't have a lot of stuff. Michael headed up going back to his place and loading up his guest queen size bed and bedroom furniture and placing it into Toya's bedroom.

 

She promised to pay him back for that, but he insisted it was house warming gift for them. They finally finished unloading everything in the house and placing them in their appropriate spot a little afternoon 10 p.m. They went out to grab some food and were now sitting around the living room watching a movie.

 

Toya sat curled up on one end of the couch while Damion stretched out on the other end and Michael was reclined back in old lazy boy. Toya and Michael shared a beer while Damion sipped on a bottled water. Michael stretched his legs and looked at his watch.

 

"Aye, I think I'm going to head home. Got to work at the office for a couple of hours in the morning then I can swing by here show y'all around maybe head out to LA."

 

He stood up from chair, leaning down giving Damion one of those coded handshakes. Before heading towards the door, Toya got up from her spot and followed behind him outside to see him to his car.

 

"Thanks for everything Mike." Looking over to him as they walked side by side. He just smiled and threw his arm around her shoulder giving her a side hug.

 

"Ah, it's nothing. We all in this together."

 

She nodded and smiled at the reassured hugging his side before letting him walk off towards his car. Before he could open the car door wide enough for him to step in they both heard his name called.

 

"Michael is that you?"

 

 

The feminine voice was coming from across the parking lot from the other building. It wasn't until the dark form made it halfway across the street did they get a picture of her face. Toya watched her cousin reaction in pure shock with a wide grin on his face.

 

"Get the hell out here. Angie??"

 

 

The woman laughed as he stepped away from his car meeting her towards the back of his car as they embraced each other warmly. Someone he apparently knew well as they laughed as they swayed back and forth in embrace. Toya took notice of the leopard tattoos that were inked up and down the length of right arm.

 

 

 

She was first to pull back and even she did that a bit hesitantly," It's so good to see you. Wow, how long had it been?"

 

 

 

“A couple of years I think, wow you look good."

 

"And am I not suppose too?" She sassed with a grin.

 

He shook his head," Naw, Naw I didn't mean like that...."

 

She waved him off and smiled Toya shifted which caught her eye and she stepped back from Michael," Oh I'm sorry was I interrupting something?"

 

Michael followed her gaze and forgot Toya was standing behind him and he chuckled motioning for Toya to come over.

 

"No, sorry this is my cousin LeToya, she just moved out from New York, Toya this is Angie we went to school together."

 

Toya led out her hand and Angie shook it gently," Nice to meet you."

 

Angie nodded smiling between the two and Michael beamed back her with Toya held back a laugh watching her cousins reaction towards her. They must have a history she noted that she would have to ask about that later. They stood there in silence for a few moments and when it became enough and took awkward. Toya was the first to bail.

 

Toya turned to her cousin and patted his shoulder. “Well I'm going to go inside, I'm tired. I will see you in the morning. Just call me when you heading back over. So we will be ready."

 

 

He nodded taking a moment to break his glance for the woman in front him," Yeah, Yeah."

 

She stifled a chuckle and gave Angie a wave," Nice to meet you."

 

"You too." Angie smiled back.

 

She turned on her heels and headed back to her apartment looking back over her shoulder once as Michael and Angie stood there talking and once more before closing the door to see them in another embrace.

 

“What do you guys want out of the store?” Regina looked back at her kids as they pushed each other back and forth as they bickered amongst their selves. She sighed reaching her hand back between them shoving to one side and one to the other.

 

“Enough! Now what’s the problem LeToya?” She asked sternly. She watched as her teenage daughter roll her eyes with agitation all over her face.

 

“He is being disgusting picking his noses and trying to wipe them on me.”

 

Regina watched her son cover his mouth trying to let out a laugh while she looked sternly at him. She had to admit she was trying to hold back one herself. He was just so darn cute when he was being a menace and thoroughly joyed getting under his sister skin. But she knew if she just rectify that their bickering would only escalate.

 

“Damion now that’s not right. And she is right that is nasty, so keep your bodily fluids to yourself and stop pestering you sister, do you hear me? “She pointed a finger at him with a raised eyebrow letting him know she met business.

 

He dropped his hand from his mouth and nodded,” Yes ma’am.”

 

She gave him a gentle smile,” Now what do you guys want out of the store before daddy gets out.”

 

“I don’t want anything.” Toya stated with her arms folded looking out the window.

 

“Can I get a ring pop?” Damion asked cheerfully.

 

Regina winked at her son,” You got it baby boy.”

 

She pushed open the car door wrapping her coat around her body tightly as she braced for the gust of cold area. Toya watched as her mother quickly walked across quickly to the convenience store door meeting her husband as he came back from the restroom.

 

Toya turned back to her brother as he was inching towards her with a large green wad on his finger with the most devious grin.

 

“DAMION!!” She screeched as she shoved him back.

 

BANG BANG BANG!

 

She shot up in a cold sweat with tears rolling down her face.

 

 

Chapter 3 by B-Twice
Author's Notes:
Enjoy. Thanks to those who leave a review :)

Justin shut off the engine and exited his car along with his brother Charlie. They walked the short drive way and jogged up the stairs of the porch and heading straight into the house. Justin dropped his keys into the glass bowl sitting on the end table by the door. They took in the aroma of different spices and  freshly made French bread.

 

"Ma!" He called out as he looked up towards the stairs only to hear dishes clinking around the corner in the kitchen.

 

"Yeah in here." She called out.

 

They both rounded the small corner to see their mother standing in the kitchen with her green apron, her long curly hair pulled back from her face as she scrapped the last of cake batter from her mixing bowl into pan. She looked up once she placed the bowl down smiling with a twinkle to her eyes.

 

"Hey my boys about time you came and see you mama." She waved a disappointing finger at them, but the smile still plastered on her face.

 

Justin chuckled being the first to reach her as he wrapped an arm around her shoulders pulling into a hug as she kissed his cheek and ran a hand over his cheek. He stepped back walking around her sticking  a finger into the batter and  taking a taste test.

 

Mm. Lemon cake.

 

Justin turned around and leaned against the counter as his mom rubbed her hands over Charlie's face asking if he was okay. He just nodded with a grin," I'm good ma, we good ma."

 

Once she got her reassurance, she let go and went back to cooking, grabbing the pan and placing it in the oven.

 

"Good, you boys hungry. I just finished the lasagna. The salad is already made up on the table. Justin will you get the pan and place it on the table. Plates already on the table and Charlie you grab the drinks." She instructed as she cleared her counter off of clutter placing the dishes in the kitchen.

 

They did as they were told and were soon seated at her kitchen table partaking in the food. Lynn sat at the head of the table, sipping slowly on her glass of white wine, while Justin and Charlie both shared a beer.

 

Lynn watched as her boys inhaled their food without much of a word. She placed her glass down and began to fork up her food again," So, how's business coming Jay?"

 

Justin sat up from his hunched position as he chewed up his food and washed it down with a swig of beer ," It's going good, the usual competition. We have a group meeting today trying to find another avenue for more income."

 

"Like what?" She inquired.

 

"There's talk of expansion into old white Hollywood." Charlie answered with a grin as he chewed on his bread.

 

Lynn looked at Charlie and back over to Justin," How you feel about it?"

 

Justin shrugged polishing off his plate and pushing back from the table a bit," It's pretty much guaranteed money. Some of the guys want to go after the younger crowd, but its too risky. Kids don't know how to keep their mouth shut. The older crowd are all about their privacy just as much as we are."

 

Lynn thought about it and nodding sipping quietly at her wine before speaking again," Yes that's definitely it. Got any lined up?"

 

Justin nodded. “Oscar said he got a couple. Talk it over in the meeting."

 

"What times the meeting?"

 

Charlie looked down at his watch and looking over at Justin," We should be heading out now."

 

They both moved their chairs back and began to pick up their dishes. Lynn quickly swallowed down her wine looking up at both of them," Wait, I haven't even put the icing on the cake for you to take home."

 

Justin smiled walking over leaning down and kissing his Mom's cheek," You know Charlie will be back for it later."

 

Charlie nodded placing his dishes in the sink and walking back over to kiss her cheek as well. She sighed with a smile, rubbing Charlie cheek and looking over to Justin," That I do know. You boys be safe you hear me?"

 

"Yes ma'am." They said in unison.

 

"Let me walk y'all out." She got up placing her napkin on the table and walked behind him as they headed for the door. Charlie first out as Justin grabbed his keys, giving his mother another kiss as he dug down into his pocket and pulled out his wallet and fingered through a couple of hundreds and picked out four of them and handed it to his Mom.

 

She looked at him and patted his cheek as she took it from him," You know I don't need this Justin. Paul's job takes care of everything."

 

Justin rolled his eyes at the mention of his step-dad," Nothing wrong with having more than enough Bye Ma."

 

She smiled lovingly at his oldest son as she watched him bounce down the porch steps and out to the car with a waiting Charlie. Once inside, he backed out and honking before pulling off down the road. She waved them off , she looked down at the money shaking her head and turned around stepping back inside and closing the door behind her.

 

Justin rode to the eastside of Inglewood to a house that was specifically for himself and his crew. They called themselves the "Wood" pack. They were a collective of men with different trades, different backgrounds that were a local cartel. They were looking to expand their borders beyond Culver City, into Santa Monica and into West Hollywood.

 

His members grew as he expanded, but expansion meant a lot more bargaining with rivals and splitting of percentages. It always had to be planned carefully and he had to reach out to the other gang leaders before anything was set in stone. Sometimes they deals were sweet and simple and other times it only started out that way and declined quickly and ended ugly.

 

Charlie and he had been in gangs since they were young in age. It was something their father and his father before him did. He never intended in being a part of it, but destiny seemed to have other plans for him. He quickly moved up the ranks and was named President after the death of his father.

 

Charlie was his right hand man along with his childhood friend Oscar.

 

Justin soon pulled up into the driveway of the four bedroom house. Some of the members shared the house just to keep somebody living in it. He shut off the engine and climbed, Oscar was waiting on the front step. Oscar stood a even 6ft tall, long dark curly hair with a muscular blood with a storybook full tattoos along it. He was mixed with black and Latino.

 

He was leaned against the house as he nodded towards Justin as he approached with his brother close behind," We just waiting for Ricky."

 

Oscar giving Justin a rolling head count. They shared a quick hand shake before disappearing inside.

 

After a couple hours of discussion and planning they began to filter out of the house a little after midnight. Justin sat on the railing of the porch as he watched his crew walk to their cars, he pulled a cigarette out of his pocket and sparked it up.

 

"What you doing tonight Jay?" Oscar as his cig dangled from his lips running a hand through his long hair before putting his basketball on and twisting it back.

 

Justin shrug," I think I'm head home. Tired as hell man."

 

"Aw shit, old man. Ricky having a party at his crib was going to swing by thereafter swinging by Angie's."

 

Justin eyed him with a smirk while taking another hit," You still hitting that? Man, I always thought Angie was out of your legend man. You know that's Augustine's old lady."

 

Oscar rolled his eyes," Man, not since like what? a couple of years now. Ever since his old man got sick his ass disappeared. Leaving me the opportunity to swoop in like supa nigga to save the day."

 

Justin and Charlie bust out laughing shaking they head. Justin pointed his finger," She ain't into you like that man. not like she was into Mike man."

 

Oscar waved him off pushing off the wall of the house and making his way down the porch," Man please, I'm over there every day at least twice a day."

 

Justin and Charlie looked at each other and Charlie laughed," Oh wow man, you playing house now?"

 

"Man y'all shut up. I'm finna go take care of business then go to this party. You coming' Charlie or you going to be like yo daddy over here?"

 

Charlie popped his hat off his head as Oscar laughed. He looked back over to Justin and threw his head up toward his brother.

 

"Aight I'll see yall later."

 

Justin dragged out another hit as he fished his keys out of his pocket and made his way to his car, hopping in and pulling off.

 

Toya drove into the complex and parked into her spot. Damion got out of the car as she popped the trunk allowing him to get his bags out. She got out and began to help him," How you think you going to like the school?"

 

Damion shrugged," I won't have time to know if I like it or not. This is my senior year."

 

Toya nodded knowingly and she hated that she pulled him out of school that he had known at the end, but she hoped it would be better opportunity for him to get a scholarship or something for basketball. Michael had managed to tell her, that recruits were heavy in their area. A lot of raw talent, but none took it really serious with their grades. Half of them ended up being parents before their time or others were out slinging dope to help mama pay the bills.

 

She knew Damion weren't going to be doing either if she could help.

 

"Well, you won't have much distraction from focusing on basketball."

 

Damion shot her a look as he slammed down the trunk once they retrieve the bags," What?"

 

Damion kept walking towards the door of the house and waited to the side for her to unlock it," Don't start Toya."

 

She slipped her key into the lock and turned pushing the door open stepping inside first," Start what? All I'm saying is now that we are new here. There is no distraction, fresh start, more focused."

 

"I know what you are trying to say, Quinn was never a distraction. She kept me focused."

 

Toya scoffed," Oh please, she kept you focused on her ass. I don't know how many times I got to keep tell you Damion. When those girls see you play they not looking at oh wow Damion is such a nice guy. They are looking at dollar signs."

 

Damion began to unpack the bags he set on the tables," I know that Toya I'm not dumb."

 

"I didn't say you were." She corrected him placing the gallon of milk in the fridge.

 

He stopped and sighed," Well leave it alone, Quinn is history now so stop bringing her up. Fresh start means leaving stuff in the past you don't see me bringing up Bryan."

 

Toya cringed at the sound of his name," Point taken."

 

All together the topic was dropped and they knew it.

 

"So what do you want to eat?" She asked once everything was put up.

 

Damion shrugged tossing all the bag into a cabinet as he always did," Chicken always sounds good."

 

She chuckled smiling rubbing his back gently as he stood beside her towering over her," Alright you go chill. I'll call you when it's done."

 

He nodded making his way towards his bedroom. She turned around pulling the bag of chicken out of the fridge before calling out to her brother again.

 

"Oh and call Mike and see if he wants to come over for dinner!"

 

She had to get out.

Another sleeplessness tossing and turning as flashes of her past ran rapt through her dream world. She shot up from her sleep in sweat soaked sheets and a racing heart with a pounding headache. She got up to take a couple aspirin and changed her sheets and hopped in the shower.

She never could fall back asleep. She sat laying in her bed for a couple of hours it seemed, staring at the ceiling.

She had to clear her head of the nightmare.

The best way she knew how to do that was running until it hurt.

Toya sat on the edge of her bed lacing up her sneakers and adjusting her used iPod shuffle on the arm of her shirt. She stood up walking to the bathroom and grabbed her brush wetting it a bit and brushing her massive curls tightly into bushy ponytail, then apply her pink headband. She shut off her lights and wrapped her head phone cord around her neck before walking a few feet down the hall to Damion’s bedroom. She knocked on it softly before pushing the door open.

She took sight of her brother long lean body splattered across the bed and his head tucked underneath a pillow,” Damion, PSST!”

She kept calling out his name until she got a groggy mumble in response,” I’m going out for a run. I’ll be back in about an hour and a half.

He threw up his hand signaling that he heard her before falling back into his sleep. She shook her head and closed the door.  She walked into the living room grabbing her keys off the counter and headed out the front door locking it behind her. She stuffed her keys into her sweatpants and began to stretch. She used the nearby stairwell to stretch her legs as she scoped out the complex. Every other parking spot was filled still marked with the dew of the morning.

 

The sun’s light just began to color the sky and the area was quiet expect for a few cars that exited, which she assumed with those who had to work earlier than everyone else. Once she felt she stretched enough she began to walk towards the entrance. She grabbed her ear plugs and began to stick them one by one into her ear until she heard a “hey”.

 

She turned to her left scanning for the voice until it landed upon the woman from last night. Angie flagged her down as she made her way over,” Good Morning.”

Toya nodded smiling holding her other ear plug in hand,” Morning.”

Angie looked Toya’s outfit over with a smile, but with a thought in her head. Where the hell she going? Running? In this neighborhood?

“So, you out for a morning jog?” Angie questioned obviously knowing the answer.

“Yeah, it’s a habit.”

Angie nodded sincerely,” Don’t have many runners around here. You be careful. A friendly word of advice I wouldn’t go farther than 10th street. Most of the time it’s quiet on this side of town, but 10th street is like New York City. It never sleeps. High crime area the whole nine. There’s a corner store about two miles from here and its pretty much neutral ground. Don’t go any farther than that.”

Toya nodded taking note everything she said,” Thank you.”

Angie smiled brightly nodding,” No problem. Any family of Michael’s is a friend of mine.”

Toya smiled genuinely before sticking her other plug to her ear and continued her walk towards the complex exit as she flipped through her music to find a beat. Once she did, she turned left and began her jog down the sidewalk.

She ran to get lost.

They say life is a battlefield

 I say bring it on

 If you wanna know how I feel

 Live it till it's gone

 I'm just saying that what don't kill, only makes you strong

 If you don't recognize what is real

 Then forever is a long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long Time

 

Justin flicked his black and mild onto the ground from his window and blew out the smoke as he sat in truck looking towards the convince store.

“I’m going in to get a case of beer and some other shit. You want anything? “

He looked over at his younger brother Charlie as he dug down into his baggy jeans pulling out some money and his baggy of hash and placing it into the center console. Justin shook his head,” Yeah get me an orange soda and some cereal.”

Charlie nodded chewing on the toothpick that hung from the corner of his lip. He opened up the truck door and hopped out slamming the door shut. Justin leaned back in his seat flipping through his phone aimlessly as he nodded his head to the music placing on the radio. He was tired, he had a long time with many phone calls and headed up heading out to the party when he had nothing else to do.

The party was lively as ever full of familiar faces and tons of women hanging on someone arm. He wasn’t to excluded. He didn’t hold conversation with any of them and if he did it was on his way down the hall to a bedroom to smash real quick. Most of them lived for the moment it seem. It was as if they got some kind of recognition if the girls had sex with one of his crew member, but it was like winning the gold metal if they had Oscar and Charlie, but him it was like they were nominated queen of the world.

It all went to their head and it was they were self-proclaimed his woman, but too often then he like he had to put them in their place. He was nowhere near the place or space to be a one woman man. He didn’t need the extra baggage that came with a woman and most of them had kids or had some crazy ex that he would have to put six feet under and a lot of them were still wet behind the ears.

He was almost in his thirties and he didn’t have time to help a young woman find herself. They came with lots of insecurities and haven’t set a standard in their life with shit they would put up with. His life was dangerous, a lot of uncertain and a lot of fast and quick moments that if he was ever to tie himself to one woman. She had to be able to handle her own, she had be able to walk through hell with a smile on her face. Loyalty was a big thing to him along with honesty.

He knew the time of person he was. The last relationship he was in was years ago and he thought he was lucky that he found the one he was going to be with for the rest of his life, but she couldn’t handle the pressure when he moved up to president of the club. It also became extremely dangerous and she had her life threaten a few times, but that wasn’t what broke her down.

She had gotten pregnant and due to the stress of everything. She miscarried and that was the straw that broke the camel’s back. She wanted out and she got it and moved to the other side of the country with her family and he never saw her again.

He got wind a year or two ago after she had gotten married and had two sons.

It hurt like hell, but he had been so busy with the club and knee deep in shit that he didn’t even have time to reflect on what could have been. And he tried not too so he swept it under the rug and let it be what it was going to be.

He dropped his phone into lap as he looked out towards the store. He wished his brother would hurry up he wanted to go home and sleep all day. He stared down the street as the sun finally rose up over the city building. A flash of light caught his attention it flitter off, on, off, on. He searched for the light until he flittered on again. It was a reflector coming off the pink shirt of a woman jogging his distraction.

As she jogged closer enough from him to see, she wore a pink tank top with little reflectors on it and pair of gray sweat pants with t-shirt tucked into the side of it with the cuff of the pants pushed up to her knees. She a pair of head phones in her ear and a head band wrapped around her head with a ponytail full of thick curls bouncing as she ran.

Her caramel colored skin was coated in sweat as she ran focused only what was in front of her. Justin watched as she jogged closer and closer down the side walk. She seemed to slow down her jog as she got closer towards the car and stopped as she reached the end of the sidewalk right in front of corner store. She heaved in and out as she swung her arms back and forth trying to catch her breath as she paced back and forth.

There weren’t too many people in Inglewood he didn’t know. Inglewood was small part of the map of California. He has lived here long enough to know. He damn sure didn’t know of anyone that went jogging at six o clock in the morning around here.

She was new here.

Must be visiting.

He watched as she paced a little less and look to be gearing back up to take off back down the sidewalk she came from. Charlie came busting through the door causing her to lose her footing as she stepped out into his path without looking and stumble to the ground.

Before Justin could even think he was out of the car and was running up on the side walk beside his brother as he reached out help her up.

“Damn Charlie watch where you going” Justin hissed, but without much of a look to his younger brother.

But Charlie looked at him wildly not knowing where he came from. He looked back towards the car seeing the driver’s side door wide open.

Did he really just jump out the car for this chick? Charlie thought as he looked back to the woman as she took hold of Justin’s hand as he helped her up.

“No it’s fine I wasn’t looking where I was going.” Toya shook her head as she held onto each of their hand as they pulled her up.

Justin watched as she dusted the back of her pants off, he couldn’t help but take notice of her rear end through the sweats. Charlie caught him and nudged him just as she turned her head back round dusting off her hands as well.

“Real sorry about that.” Charlie nodded with an apologetic look as much as his stern would allow. Toya glanced at him giving him a tight lip smile as she looked over them both. They must have been brothers they were almost identical, but one had long blonde hair and the other was shaven and looked clearly a bit other, but not much.

“I don’t think I’ve ever seen a woman go running through the streets of Inglewood. Unless she was running from something.” Justin spoke out loud gaining her attention with his sarcastic undertone.

Toya suppressed the urge to roll her eyes and through him a ‘boy please.’ She didn’t know from Adam and neither did she knew this neighborhood getting the stiff warning from Angie. She didn’t dare test the waters by herself. So, she just shrugged, but couldn’t lace her annoyance.

“First time for everything. Thank you for helping me up.”

Justin chuckled,” You don’t sound very thankful.”

Toya threw him a look,” Maybe because I wasn’t talking to you.”

Charlie chuckled with wide eyes, he had never heard a woman talk about to his brother besides his mom. Woman practically groveled at his brothers feet when he came around. She definitely wasn’t from around here and even then those who weren’t were smitten by his brother rude charm. He watched as they stared at enough other for a moment taking note of the spark in his brother’s eye.

They watched as the unknown woman began jogging back down the sidewalk. Charlie patted his brother on the back with a smirk still on his face,” Yup there is truly a first time for everything.”

Justin rolled his eyes shrugging his head off and headed back towards taking another look in her direction as she disappeared farther and farther down the way,” Shut up and get in the car I’m ready to go to sleep.”

Chapter 4 by B-Twice

 

Toya took a deep breath running her hands over her navy blue button down shirt nervously. She looked over her appearance for the thousandth time that morning.  She ran a hand over her straighten that was pulled back into a neat ponytail.  She spent hours the night before straightening out her curls just for this day. She was starting her new job as an assistant manager at a local wholesale store. It was something she had lined up before her move to Cali and was luckily enough to get it just in time for the move.

She wanted to make a good impression. She adjusted her silver necklace and placed her earrings in her ear. She checked the time on her watch seeing that it was time to definitely head out.

“Damion, you almost ready?!” She called out hurrying around the room gathering her things and placing them into her purse.

“Yeah I’m waiting on you.” He answered.

Toya smiled once headed out of the room turning off to see him standing by the front door dressed in a pair of dark washed pressed fitting jeans, with a red belt, a pair of black and white Jordan’s Michael had bought him and a simple V-neck black tee showing off the little tattoos on his arms he had gotten without her permission for his birthday last year.

She admitted her little brother had grown into a very handsome young man. She wasn’t thrilled at the fact she was going to have to beat off another flock of horny teenage girls. He was definitely a charmer, but genuine. He never had problems with girls until he stumbled upon that girl Quinetta, Quinn for short back in New York.

The little tramp stole her brother’s heart the moment he set eyes on her. She was a junior and he was a sophomore and they dated for a whole year. If his time wasn’t accompanied by basketball, it was her he spent the rest of his time in. He followed her around like a lost puppy, but she always rubbed Toya the wrong way. She couldn’t put her finger on it, but she didn’t sit well her. But it wasn’t long until he came to the devastating blow that she had been playing her brother all along. She had been sleeping around with other girls. She used her brother as cover up because she didn’t want anyone to find out that she was gay or at least her parents.

Toya would never forget the ridicule he had gotten from all his friends. It was embarrassing to say the least for him and it pissed her off to a whole new level. It didn’t stop the girls calling the house phone though. It didn’t stop them from getting weak at the knees every time they walked down the street together. It made her gag, she could practically smell the heat of sex coming from them.

She sighed and took a deep breath at the thought. She would have to get through this year as well one horny little bitch at a time.

“How do I look?” She asked him stopping before him.

He looked over her button down shirt tucked neatly into her black belted pants with a pair of black casual dress shoes. She wore light make up from what he could tell if she wore any at all and a little gloss on the lips.

“You good sis, as always.” He smiled at her.

She nodded smoothing over her shirt again a nervous habit she had,” Alright let’s get you to school so I can get there on time. I hear traffic is no joke around here.”

Traffic was definitely heavy on her way to his school, but they made it in good enough time that she was running pretty well on schedule. She pulled up along the sidewalk in the drop-off line and looked over at him as he gathered his bag from the car floor.

“You good?” She asked him as he glanced up at the school watching as other students walked by. He glanced over at her giving her a grin before leaning over kissing her cheek and pushing open the car door getting out.

He threw his backpack on his shoulder and stuck his head back in the door way,” You know I’m Gucci.”

She chuckled shaking her head at her brother use of slang indicating that he was okay,” Have a good day. Love you.”

“Love you too sis.” He winked at her and quickly closed the door turning on his heels and began to follow the crowd of kids into the building.

She watched until he disappeared inside and then slowly pulled off and headed to work. Luckily, her apartment, Damion’s school and her job weren’t too far apart from each other, which made her morning commute a little more tolerable.  She arrived at the store fifteen minute ahead of schedule giving her time to nick pick over her appearance. She never was the self-conscious type unless it came to her job after taking a class preparing her for the interviewing world where they drilled it into the students head first impressions were everything.

She spent a lot of time shopping for clothes that downplayed her assets as much as possible without wearing a burlap sack. Once satisfied she exited her car and headed inside.

Damion sat in the chair in the front office with his leg bouncing up and down nervously as he looked down at his new schedule. His stomach was secretly turning as he waited for his student guide that was supposed to be showing him around to his classes.

He lied when he told Toya he was Gucci, he was anything, but okay. But the last thing his sister needed was to be worried about him stressing about school when she had other things on her plate. It wasn’t that he didn’t think he could hold his own he survived New York he could survive anything. But have to start over in a school during Senior Year, where people already formed their long lasting friendships, groups and cliques.

He witnessed people do it back home and it was never easy transition for some. He just hoped he could make it through without any problems or any distractions.

“Are you Damion Brown?”

He looked up from his paper and into a set of soft brown eyes attached a beautiful smiling face. Damn, he thought.

“Uh yeah?”

His eyes did a quick scan over her features, she had long brown hair that fell past her shoulders, soft caramel skin with bright smile with dimples. She couldn’t be no taller than 5’1, which he knew he would tower over once he stood up. She was petite sporting a pair of fitted shorts, stripped black and white tank top and her backpack on her shoulders.

The young woman smiled brightly reaching her neatly manicured hand out to him,” Nice to meet you I’m Kerri Gonzales, your student guide today. Welcome to Inglewood High.”

Damion took hold of her hand and shook it gently taking into the softness of her hand and mental praying to the gods for strength.

“Nice to meet you too.”

Oh, yeah definitely nice to meet you. He thought.

 

“So that is pretty much how the day goes around  here goes, everyone is a very hard worker and of course you have those who’ve been here a long time and feel entitled  to the job, but they don’t cause much trouble.”

Toya stood with the store manager Matthew Burns as they came from walking the store and him   explaining a typical day and duties that she was going to be responsible for. The  job was fairly  easy just a lot of stocking, taking inventory and making sure the internal as well as the  external of the store was well taken care.

“How about we go over and meet some of the employees while we have a slow start to the day.” He suggested as played with the keys in his pocket. Toya nodded following suite behind, personally she didn’t want to meet them right now.

 

They were a bunch of women and a few men that worked there. The men worked stock and inventory while the women seemed to rule the front of the house. Some older than her that seem to mind their business and go on about their day and the others had to be her age or younger from what she saw from the paperwork she briefly went through.

They made their way to the front of the store by the line of cash registers, their first time was #1. A heavy set woman dark woman with long red talons decked out in rhinestones. She wore a tight fitting green polo shirt and even tighter khaki pants underneath her black company apron.

“Tiwanna, meet Ms. LeToya Brown she is our new assistant store manager she has joined us from all the way from New York.”

Tiwanna smiled, but eyed her openly before holding out her hand,” Nice to meet you. Everyone calls me TiTi or Wanna whatever you want”

Toya shook her head firmly nodding with a smile as genuine as possible for her with the woman eyeing her like she couldn’t believe she was going to be her new boss,” Nice to meet you as well Tiwanna.”

She didn’t know the woman personally to think it would appropriate to call her by her nickname just yet. But she did keep it mind. They moved a register over to a young woman couldn’t be any younger than 20 years old with long black hair with tips dyed in blue, she was another one with long nails but spiked and in black. She chewed loudly on her gum as she threw Tiwanna a look before checking me as well.

“This is Porsche, Porsche meet Ms. LeToya Brown she is the new assistant manager.”

She threw a wave with a tight lipped smile and turned around going back to wiping down her area. They continued down to two more, Lydia and Michelle. They didn’t check her with their eyes, but didn’t seem bothered either way by her.

The last thing she needed was to have to deal with the attitudes of all them before she even got her foot in the door good.

After meeting with the rest of the staff, Toya got started with helping Matthew with the inventory of the store. She clipped her set of keys to the belt loop of her pants and gripped her clipboard as she headed to the opposite end of the store towards the door.

Justin pulled into the driveway of his Mom's house as she was walking out the front door locking the door behind her. She waved towards him as she turned around heading out towards him. He threw the car into park and got out of the car walking around to the passenger door to open it up for her.

She walked around the front of the car greeting him with a gentle pat on his cheek," Hey honey"

He smiled kissing her cheek before she slipped into her seat and he closed the door behind. He walked around the back and hopped in, turning the car back on and pulled out of the driveway and onto the street.

Lynn looked around his car and glanced towards the back seat," Where's Charlie?"

"Sleeping in."  He addressed turning out of the neighborhood and onto the main city street.

She nodded digging into her purse shuffling around for a piece of gum," Oh ok well thank you for taking your old mama to the store."

He glanced over at her with a smirk with one hand steering," You know it's no big deal ma."

She smiled warmly at him and patted his free hand as it rested on the center console," How did I end up with such good son’s?”

Justin scuffed with a chuckle,” I don’t think we are labeled as good ma, compared to others.”

“How can you compare lions to sheep son?”  She questioned with a smirk. He laughed nodding his head in agreement.

Toya sat in the small break room in the back of the store as she ate her lunch while reading over guidelines and policies. She took her thirty minutes while Matthew relived a couple of the ladies up front. As she flipped the page, the door creaked open and in walked Tiwanna. Toya took the liberty of reading up on some of the employee notes.

Tiwanna was the longest member of the particular store. She didn’t have anything worth noting about in her file expect being late a few times out of the year. She scored well on her employee performance cards. Which kind of made her wander why she hadn’t been promoted to supervisor at least if not assistant manager.

They exchanged looks before Tiwanna opened up the fridge and dug out her own lunch. A simple brown bag and a canned coke. She sat down at the table across from Toya, eyeing her once more. Toya, despite doing what she really wanted was to be quiet and continue to eat her food. She decided to strike up small talk.

“So, Tiwanna how are you doing today?”

Tiwanna gave her side eyes as she opened up her bag,” Fine.”

Toya nodded,” That’s good, so um how long have you been working here?”

Tiwanna unwrapped her wheat sandwich from it plastic wrapping,” Going on about ten years.”

“Wow, that’s a long time.”

“Too long.” Tiwanna muttered taking a big bite of her sandwich and taking a long swig of her coke she managed to pop open with her long nails.

Toya remained silent getting the feeling she wasn’t going to get much from her. She decided that this wasn’t a mountain she wanted to climb on her first day. She began to crumble up her wraps into a ball and quickly tossed them into the trash can off to the side.

“I suppose I could have been manager by now. Is that you trying to get at?” Tiwanna didn’t give much a glance towards her direction as she chewed her sandwich.

Toya looked at her and nodded as she continued to gather her things on the table, “Yes, it was.”

Tiwanna let out a chuckle holding her sandwich in between her chubby hands,” They weren’t willing to pay me enough for the shit you have to deal with in here all just because I don’t have a degree. Even then I don’t think management gets paid enough. I suppose that’s why they chose someone from New York thinking they could handle it.”

Toya slowed her pace of stacking her papers,” What do you mean?”

Tiwanna took another bite and tossed her sandwich down on the paper bag getting a couple of chews in before speaking looking up at Toya from her seat.

” This store has been robbed so many times, I can’t even count. After the people stealing are friends of the very people who work here. A bunch of lowlife teenage punks, dating these dumb girls out there thinking the shit is cute. Just a bit of warning and advice the ones you think are the most unlikely to do anything are the most conniving, ruthless bitches as they come. That is why I would never be a manager here. I come and do my job then I go home.”

Toya stood silent blinking a few times trying to take it what was just given to her. She was a bit taken back, but not really surprised at the older woman’s frankness. She probably knew the in’s and out of this place and had seen a lot. So, Toya didn’t intend on taking what she said lightly.

“Well I think you for the advice, Tiwanna.” She grabbed her papers and tucked them underneath her arm and pushed her chair underneath the table and moved around her heading towards the door.

“I really do wish you luck honey. But I’m sure you don’t need it.  I can tell you been through enough shit in your life that I’m sure you can handle this one.” Tiwanna voice softened a bit, but she didn’t bother to turn around and neither did Toya.

She exited through the door letting it close behind her.

 

“I’m going to go down to get some dog food, I’ll meet back up with you.” Justin walked ahead of his Mom as she pushed her cart half full of food.

“Okay I’m going to go the meats. Get some steaks for Paul, he coming home tomorrow.”

Justin rolled his eyes inwardly at the mention of his stepfather,” Alright I’ll meet you over there in like five minutes.”

She nodded as she turned right and he headed left his boot covered feet thumping hard against the tile flooring.

He waited until he saw her disappearing down the aisle and he quickly disappeared between two swinging doors heading in the back of the store in dry storage. He dug down into his pocket as he pulled out a couple of sacks of weed.

He had made a call out to his local customers that he was in the area and one was sitting on the job. He moved through the dimly light area until he made a quick left as he let out a quick whistle to announce his arrival.

“Down here Jay.”

He followed the voice until he met the face of customer,” I got to make this quick man, I just got my new assistant in here today. She should be coming back from her lunch break any second now.”

Justin held out  his head as he looked over at Matt one of his long term offenders as he fetched his wallet out of his back pocket and pulled out a couple of twenties and exchanging them with Justin.”

“I thought they weren’t coming in for a couple of weeks.” Justin asked as he continued his moment holding the twenties up to the light. Even though he had been selling to Matthew for a few years he didn’t take anything for granted. He made that mistake once and ended up a year in the county.

Matthew quickly shifted the bunch and then stuffed them in his pocket,” I thought so too.  But I’m not complaining she is hot and with an accent. Sexy New York Bitch man. You should see her.”

Justin rolled his eyes as he folded his money and tuck it into his pocket,” You see one bitch, you seen them all.”

Matthew laughed as they both headed out of the storage,” You better get out of here before Porsche sees you.”

They both walked out of the swinging door into the main store area,” I’m not worried about her man plus I got mom’s shopping around in here.”

“Oh yeah, tell her I said hello oh wait a minute man there she is over there my assistant.” Matthew motioned to the left of him. Justin turned his head to see the woman coming out of a hall way where he knew the break room to be.

He squinted his eyes a bit as he looked over her features and he instantly recognized her. The woman that had been out running the other day. She held a clipboard underneath her arm as she spoke to one of the stock boys as he stood in the aisle stocking what looked like soup cans.

His eyes wander over her body in her work uniform even those clothes hugged her in the right spot. He couldn’t help but let his eyes wander down her backside as she turned to start counting the shelves. She had a round apple bottom it was firm, but he bet had a bit of a juggle to it.

She had thick hair straighten and pulled back as it dangled down the middle of her back,” I won’t mind spending late nights in the store staring at that all day every day. Instead hard-on.”

Matthew spoke in a hush tone with a bite of his fist. Justin had to agree with him, but he didn’t verbally. He just shook his head and held out to shake Matthew’s hand before heading towards her direction on the hunt for his mom, but not without getting her attention.

He made his way over clearing his throat a little before speaking,” I guess it’s always going to be the first time everything a lot more often huh?”

Toya frowned and turned to look over her shoulder at a pair of dark blue eyes staring at her.  She turned around to see the familiar face smirking at her cockily with a hand tucked into one of his pockets. She remembered him from the other day when she went out for a run.

The little sarcastic prick she meant after running into his brother. She suppressed her recurring urge to roll her eyes at him.

“I guess so.” She stated plainly before turning back around and recounting the cans of beans on the shelf.

Justin moved to her peripheral view,” I knew my hunch was right. You are new here. As many times I’ve been in this store, I never seen. Now if I can put a name to a strange face.”

He glanced quickly down at her name tag before she quickly moved her clipboard to block his view of her name tag,” LeToya.”

She shifted her eyes to catch a quick glimpse of him then refocused her attention her task,” Yeah that’s me.”

  Justin smiled as he stared at the side of her face intensely which usually made other girls squirm under his glare. But the more he stared the more frustration drew across her face until she turned sharply towards him and cocked a perfectly arch eyebrow.

“Can I help you with something????” She motioned towards him searching for his name.

“Justin.”

“Okay your Justin and I’m LeToya, is there something I can help you with if not I would like to continue working here.” She tried her best to keep her customer service voice on and not give him her New York attitude.

It didn’t bother him nor phase him which only made her even more frustrated, but didn’t let it show as he didn’t let his shocked reaction to her not being phased by him.

“I’ll see you around.” He stated coolly.

“Have a nice day Justin.” She threw him a tightlipped smile as he began to walk away. He turned on his heels and motioned toward her male employee who was kneeled on the floor beside her unloading boxes.

“I won’t talking to you. I was talking to DaMarcus.”

DaMarcus held back his chuckle and threw his hand up towards Justin,” Aight.”

 

Leaving Toya baffled.

Chapter 5 by B-Twice
Author's Notes:
Enjoy and leave a review.

 

 

 

Toya entered her bedroom and dropped her purse on the floor and dived head first onto her bed. As soon as her body hit the softness of her bed she let out a long sigh. She was exhausted. It wasn't the job itself because it was a breeze, but it was everything together. The packing, the moving, the driving, the unpacking and everything else in between it had taken a total on her body. She was damn near sleep on the drive home from picking Damion. She knew she only had a few minutes before she had to get up and start on dinner, but for now she was coming let the comfort of her bed consume her.

 

Even though sleepy, she allowed her mind to wander over the days event and only two things stuck out for her. The conversation with Tiwanna and the guy she ran into again. What a little cocky bastard was the first thing that came to mind, but also a bit of amusement came when she recalled their reactions.

 

His little stab at her was comical to her because of the simple fact he was hurt when she used that line on him and jogged away. She knew what it looked like when a man's ego was hurt and he was like any other man, that did the whole "tough guy" act in some lame attempt to catch her attention.

 

It was a total turn-off to her and she had no problem shooting it down. She was no way looking for a man, whether it be something causal or long time, but a fling she might consider. It had been along time.

 

She shook her head at the thought.

 

She had too much on her plate right now than worrying about a man and having to pet his ego. She had dinner to make.

 

She pushed herself up from the bed, grabbing her night clothes from the chair in the corner in the room and headed off to the bathroom. Before she disappeared inside she poked her head inside Damion's open bedroom door as he sat on the edge slipping out of his shoes and lining against the wall with his other pairs.

 

He was a sneaker addict.

 

"Hey what you have a taste for dinner?"

 

He shrug his shoulders as he grabbed his backpack from the floor and dug out the contents," Doesn't matter."

 

"Ok, I'm going to hop in the shower, can you throw the buffalo chicken strips in the over and I'll do the fries when I come out."

 

"Aight,"

 

She closed his door and headed into the bathroom, closing the door behind her.

 

During dinner, Michael stopped by after work to eat and check on them seeing how their days went. After sitting around talking for awhile with Damion about possible going out for the basketball team. Toya got herself ready for the next day. Once her clothes were all ironed and ready and Damion had retreated to the back to do his homework.

 

Toya and Michael stood outside near his car chatting before he made it his business to head home.

 

"So, you going to tell me about Angie?" Toya asked  leaning up against his car with her arms folded.

 

Michael laughed running his hand over the top of his hair," Me and Angie go way back, we use date in high school. Almost all of high school. Then you know Pops got sick and I had a lot of shit on my shoulders and we just drifted apart."

 

"So no ending on bad terms?"

 

"Oh naw, we just let it die out I guess you can say. No hard feelings or nothing. She was real cool, we had a good time together." Michael glancing over across to the street in the direction of her apartment with a smile on his face.

 

Toya couldn't help, but smile along with him. He had a sparkle in his eyes as the mention of her name, but Toya didn't comment on it.

 

"She seems cool. She always speaks in the morning when we head out. She said family of yours is a friend of hers."

 

He grinned even more," Yeah she always looked out for me and anyone concerning. She will definitely keep a look out for you if you ever need anything, but anyways anything else happen at work besides dealing with those broads."

 

"Well actually now that you mention it, I ran into this guy...like twice."

 

Michael raised his eyebrow and Toya waved her hand in disapprove, "No, no not like that. I actually ran into his brother I think he was one day when I was out running and he had a little smart mouth and he was in the store today as well being a smart ass again."

 

Michael chuckled as he patted her shoulder," Yeah got plenty of them around here, so be prepared for that. What he looked like?"

 

"White as hell. Shaved head, I think he had some arm tattoos couple of stars on one."

 

Michael listened as she went on to describe some of the tattoos she noticed, but when she mentioned the name of the tattoo along the guys neck. Michael stopped her mid-sentence.

 

"Whoa, I know who you are talking about and Word of advice cuz, don't mouth off to that one."

 

Now it was Toya's turn to be curious," Why?"

 

" his name is Justin and the one you ran into is his little brother Charlie. I go way back with them too, but he isn't just your regular guy. He don't bother nobody that doesn't bother him. Just be careful with your mouth on that one."

 

Toya rolled her eyes," Michael please, I know better than go mouthing off to people I don't know. Still doesn't take away from the fact he still a jack-ass."

 

He laughed lighting up the mood as he threw an arm around her shoulder," Naw, he's not that bad he is actually good people when you get to know him."

 

She scoffed," Don't plan on it."

 

---

 

 

"Meet us at the warehouse, on 18th street. We got a shipment coming in."  Charlie giving orders to Oscar as Justin steered the truck through the streets of city. They had a shipment of metal coming in that he had to run up to Korea town. He wanted to get there before sundown and around rush hour traffic that way they could blend in with the sea of cars rushing to get home.

 

He hated traffic like a mother though. He knew they were going to at least spend two hours in it and that was just one way. But he had to do what they had to it to keep a low profile. He thought maybe he would send Oscar and Charlie out on the run while he got some business done in the area.

 

He glanced over to Charlie just as he ended the call," Look I'm going to send you and Oscar out to the drop off the shipment. I got to make a few stops through town. Pick up some money, some are running a little late on their deposits. "

 

Charlie ran his fingers over his facial hair," You take Oscar with you and I'll take Ricky with me."

 

Justin thought for a moment, before nodding his head in agreement. They arrived out the warehouse driving inside while the garage door closed behind them. Justin hopped out the truck just as the doors reopened again as a deliver van pulled up behind him. Oscar came from the side office as they made their way over to the back of the van waiting for the delivery men to open up the doors. Inside the van were five wooden boxes.

 

Justin nodded to the other men as they stood around behind him to unload the van. They worked quickly not hesitating at Justin's commands, he didn't have to bark orders with any of them. They had respect for him a lot of them had been working for him for years and they had seen the good side, the bad side and evil side of Justin from time to time  and it was enough to keep them reminded to stay on his good side.

 

Once the boxes were unloaded they bribed open the crates  pulling back some of the stacks of straws to reveal their shipment of guns also known as their metal that was ran from Arizona and they were carrying to Korea Town to sell off. Justin stepped up standing over one crate, reaching for a gun to inspect as he unloaded and reloaded.

 

"Look good." He spoke nodding as he placed the gun back in its place towards the delivery men and motioned for his guys to get a hold of and loaded them up into one of their vans quickly. Justin turned around to Oscar," Charlie and Rickey going to drop this off and me and you are going to head out and make some collections."

 

"Alright man, I'll get the car from round back."

 

Justin nodded watching as Oscar jogged off and he strolled over to Charlie as he was help prepare the van," Call me soon as you get there and drop off."

 

Charlie nodded Justin reached out squeezing the back of his neck firmly and patted his back. Oscar pulled up outside the warehouse doors in a all black Camaro and Justin walked off meeting him at the curb, hopping in and they pulled off heading east.

 

As they drove Oscar steered through traffic nodding his head to the music that played on the road as Justin went through his phone going through his e-mails. Oscar phone rung and he pulled it from his pocket and placed it on his ear.

 

"What's up? Working...Yeah what's up?....What time you getting off? Damn for real what home girl?"

 

Justin chuckled quietly to himself as he listened to Oscar conversation with his girl, Angie. He could deny it all he wanted, but he was sprung off that girl and the times Justin had met her and he could see why. She didn't take no shit and she had a good head on his shoulder, how she ended up with Oscar he never knew, but she kept him in line for the most part and out of trouble.

 

"Toya? Toya from Crenshaw?"

 

Justin ears perked up," Oh you skip out on me for random broad across ..aight then. Naw it's cool just hit me later. Naw I ain't trippin' just make sure you hit me up . Aight bye."

 

Oscar tossed his phone into change holder in frustration, Justin smirked a bit as he continued to go through his phone," Trouble in paradise? "

 

Oscar glanced over and rolled his eyes leaning back into his seat," Naw, man. we was suppose to be kickin it tonight, but she chillin over some new chic house that moved across the street and shit. friend of the family or something. So fuck it"

 

"Oh man chill, you can survive getting some pussy for the night."

 

Oscar just grunted as he accelerated a bit more.

 

They soon arrived at in a neighborhood that was slightly starting to get run down. They pulled up to a brown house with unkempt dead grass, a broken steel fence and a couple of snot nose kids running around in the yard. They pulled behind a dented black old school Buick.

 

Justin got out and leaned against the chair while Oscar made his way towards the house, while the kids ran back chasing each other. Justin watched as Oscar knocked on the door as he pulled a black and mild from his pocket and lit it up.

 

A woman answered the door dressed in a pair shorts that appeared entirely too small for her with a shirt equal just as small struggling to contain her oversized breasts. Justin shook his head as he took a drag of his cigar as she nodded at Oscar and disappeared in side to soon be replaced a tall black male with a dingy wife beater and basketball shorts. He glanced at Oscar and looked over his shoulder to Justin.

 

"What's up Antwan." Justin called out. The man nodded before disappearing shortly inside and back out making his way over to the car with a brown paper bag in his hand. As he approached Justin he held out the bag,

 

"I'm sorry man, I know I'm late. Been caught up with the kids and the crazy ass baby mamas. you know how that go."

 

Justin opened the bag fingering through the money," No I don't."

 

The man swallowed at the chill of Justin's tone. He watched as he handed the money over to Oscar to count. Justin turned his attention back to him as he shuffled back and forth out of nervousness. They stood there in silence, Justin looked at Antwan with a blank stare and Antwan shifted his eyes under the cold glare.

 

Oscar finally finished counting the money and gave a shake of his head.

 

"How much?"

 

"$400."

 

"See what happen was, I had to pay some of my child support so I didn't go to jail--"

 

Justin raised his hand to silence with a sigh," I don't want to do this in front of your kids."

 

Antwan ran a hand over his matted dreadlocks as he groaned heavily before turning around," Aye aye, y'all go inside with ya mama!!"

 

The kids began to whine and beg to stay outside," Now! Tisha! TISHA! Come get the damn kids. Man yall go inside now."

 

The girl suddenly emerged from the house and began to ring in all the kids and ushered them inside quickly as she looked on to her boyfriend and he waved her off. Once the door was closed, Antwan slowly turned around.

 

Justin pushed himself off the car and flicking his cigar off to the side," It's one thing to be late with my money."

 

Without much warning Justin swung a punch, connecting directly with Antwan jawline sending him  crumpling to the ground with thud on the concrete.

 

A swift kick to his rib cage," It's another to take my money and spend it."

 

Justin looked up nodding towards Oscar as he stepped away allowing Oscar to finish his job giving Antwan a severe ass whopping. Before all was done, Antwan laid on the ground coughing and spitting blood with a badly swollen face .

 

Justin kneeled over him surveying his face," Next time, have my money on time and extra in the bag or I will send you out in a body bag."

 

 

 

 

---

 

Popping the bottles of two beers, Toya made her way out of the kitchen and walked over to the couch to awaiting Angie as she polished off her third beer. She handed her new bottle before sitting  down on the couch beside her on the opposite end leaning against the arm.

 

"So like I was saying, Tiwanna oldest son use to be trappin' around here and he end up getting killed and she never quite got over. So she has been very bitter ever since then, but she means well." Angie shrugged her shoulders.

 

"I get it." Toya nodded taking a swig of her beer.

 

Angie nodded scratching her head  while leaning back on the opposite end," Now that Porsche that is a little viper ass girl, if I didn't know one, but can't blame her much both her parents been in and out of prison. Her dad was a small time dope dealer back in the day and couldn't keep himself from underage girls and her mother is a bull dagger. "

 

"A what?"

 

Angie chuckled," Sorry old school term, but she is a hardcore dyke and a pimp. So she grew up between a rock and hard place. So she grew up chew steel. Pretty much takes care of herself ever since the age of 15. Poor girl had to grow up fast."

 

Toya knew the feeling, but she just nodded her head.

 

“And now Lydia and Michelle don't let them hussies fool you, they trifling as they come and don't bring a man around. You will be liable to catch a case."

 

Toya took another swig and shook her head as she listened to Angie give her a run-down of her employees she was in charge of. For the most part, everyone alright expect for the few bad apples, but it wasn't anything Toya thought she couldn't handle in the long run.

 

"Now the manager Matthew, girl he goes from kite to kite."

 

Toya ears perked up," What you mean?"

 

"He stay high and have for years, he learned how to hide it though. He gets personal delivers at work, but you didn't hear that from me. His wife will divorce his ass if she knew."

 

Toya smacked her lips and rolled her eyes. It hadn't been the first time nor the last time she had to deal with management that was into some type of drugs

 

 

 

 

She stood looking up the brown chipped paint shattered along the exterior of the house. She looked back behind her at the dead grass and sprouting weeds. She drew her attention back to the creak of the front door and the tapping of high heels and whom they belonged too.

 

She looked at the familiar woman, as she leaded frame of her door as she delicately held a slim lite cigarette in her between her bright red manicured fingers, matching the color of her lips against her smooth dark brown skin. Toya's eyes scanned the top of her black locks, down to the form fitting yellow off the shoulder blouse and to the black pencil skirt and matching high heel pumps.

 

She remained Toya much of that one woman in the movies, her mother use to watch Dorothy Dandridge, but a darker version.

 

She didn't know much a her aunt Margaret, but she knew she was no ugly woman that deserved to outcast from the family, but from the twinkle in her eyes towards Toya, it gave her a unnerving feeling in the depths of her stomach. It drove her be nauseated. She clinched stomach and gripped her brother's hand tightly as he did the same.

 

"You both going just stand there or come over here so I can get a good look at you?" She chuckled taking a drag of her cigarette.

 

They both approached the steps slowly and carefully as she meet them half way. She first knelt down in front of Damion, running her hand along the side of his face," Handsome like your father. Got your mothers nose though."

 

She smiled at him tapping his nose then she stood up looking over at Toya before aligning herself with her. She looked slowly over Toya before finally resting her face. She took another drag of her cigarette and blowing off into the air and crossing one arm along her stomach and holding the elbow of the other in her hand.

 

"Yes, you are your mother's child." with a hint distasted in her mouth.

 

She looked Toya square in the eye while dragging another from her Virginia Slim and releasing it into the air again with a devious smile that danced across her lips,"  I got big plans for you baby girl"

 

Toya stood in the kitchen trying to steady her hand enough to pour her a glass of vodka. It was 2am and she needed something to help her get back to sleep and stay sleep. She needed help chasing her dreams away. Something she probably should have been on pills for a long time ago, but she refused.

 

The bottle clinked against the cup lightly as she quickly pour less than half a glass. She downed it like a shot, hissing as it burned her throat. She poured another before placing the bottle back in the pantry. She grabbed her glass and made her way to the front door opening it carefully and closing it behind. She sat down in the chair Damion placed by the door one night as he was talking with Michael.

 

It was a nice night, the air was just warm enough to take the edge off the cool breeze. It felt good against her sweat. She took another swig of her drink as she crossed her legs listening to the quiet of the night. She sat for a while trying to gather her thoughts and calm her nerves that was until she heard the thumping of car off in the distance that got closer by the second.

 

A black SUV pulled up in the entrance with dark tint raddling heavily from the music it played inside. The window behind her raddled right along with it, the car parked in front of the other complex building from her. She watched as she sat in the shadow as three of the four doors popped open.

 

She could see them clear as day thankful from the street light that stood a few feet away. She recognized Angie climbing out of the passenger seat, tugging at the hem of her short dress  before closing the door and walking around to the front the car and stepping up onto the sidewalk. The driver stepped out sporting a pair of baggy jeans and a simple black t-shirt and white baseball cap twisted backwards.

 

Toya watched as the man stepped up on the curb in front of the car with the headlights still on like a spotlight on him and Angie. The backseat passenger sported a similar outfit, but with a white shirt and black jeans and no hat. As he turned to shut the passenger door, Toya caught a side glimpse of him and he looked strikingly familiar.

 

He stood and stretched his body looking around the complex casually. Toya remained still as she watched him getting a full frontal of his face. He was the guy she ran into at the corner store. The little brother of that jackass. Charlie was the name, if she could remember correctly. He stopped his surveillance and turned his attention back towards Angie and her guy friend.

 

They were fully engaged in a lip lock with a hand full of her ass that his grip threaten to pull from under her already dangerously short dress. They whispered something to one another and Angie turned grabbing his hand and pulling him towards her door.

 

"Give me a minute man." The guy called out towards Charlie and he just shook his head in response pulling out a pack of cigarettes out of his front pocket.

 

They quickly disappeared inside of Angie's place leaving Charlie outside. He reached in through the passenger door and turned off the car and sat in the door smoking his cigarette while flipping through his phone. Toya felt bad for him, being left outside while his friend got laid.

 

Toya stood up from her chair and went inside to the kitchen grabbing another glass and pouring some vodka in it and made her way back outside. She didn't know why, but she felt maybe she could offer him a drink while he waited and she couldn't go back to sleep. The last she could do after nearly running him over.

 

She stepped off the sidewalk and made her way across the parking. Half way there Charlie looked up noticing her making her way towards," I thought you could use a drink." She held up the glass.

 

Charlie at the young woman's face as her had a head full of curls and wearing a white tank top and a pair of gray sweats and a pair of black adidas sandals. He pushed himself up from his sitting position as she stepped more into the light and he recognized her as the woman that ran him over running.

 

He looked her over and then the glass she held. She gave him a reassuring smile," Hi, I'm Toya."

 

He blinked a few times as he took a drag of his cigarette and nodded taking the waiting glass from her hand," Thanks I'm Charlie."

 

He looked at the glass and took a sniff then grinned taking a sip while looking at her. She took a sip of her own glass and nodded towards Angie's door,' can’t believe they left you out here."

 

Charlie glanced over at the door and shrug his shoulders," It's cool we've all done it before once or twice. I might end up riding out and coming back to get him the way those fuckers go at it."

 

"Really?" Toya inquired.

 

Charlie looked at her with a smirk," Yeah he hooked on that shit."

 

Moans could be heard from the other side of the apartment door. They both turned and stared at the door then glanced at each other snickering.

 

Toya adjusted her hair on her head and sipped her drink," Well, I definitely wouldn't be waiting on them to finish anytime soon."

 

Charlie nodded tossing his drink back and handing the glass back over," I'm witcha when you right."

 

She took it and stacked it with hers," So you are Michael's cousin right?"

 

She raised an eyebrow," How did you know that?"

 

He smirked stuffing his hands into his front pockets and leaning back against the car," Let's just say it's my job to know and I'll take that as a yes and besides it’s not hard to recognize a new face."

 

"I get that, but how do you know that’s he is MY cousin."

 

"Like I said."

 

Toya smacked her lips and rolled her eyes," Okay, well yes that is my cousin."

 

Charlie chuckled at her reaction," Michael's cool people."

“And you are…Ja-.”

“Justin’s brother, yeah.”

“You guys got quite the reputation.”

He grinned tilting his head to the side and brushed back his long blonde hair back,” Oh yeah? What kind of reputation?”

She shrugged swirling her melting ice around in her cup,” The kind I’m guessing would cause people to walk on egg shells around you.”

He shook his head,” We aren’t that bad, but we are business men and when it comes to that. It is just that business. The only people that should walk on egg shells are the ones that get in our way. But you don’t have to worry.”

“What makes you think I was?”

It was time for Charlie to raise his eyebrow at her. He looked her over as she stood with one hip poked out and her arms crossed underneath her chest, swirling her cup around. She was definitely not intimated by the rumors or whatever she hard.

Just as he was about to response his cell phone rung. He fished it out of his pocket and answered,” Yeah?”

His eyes watched Toya as she sipped casually on her drink, turning her attention to the direction from which she came,” Nah, I’m with Oscar, Angie’s I’m stranded. Alright I’m outside. Aight see ya.”

He ended the call drawing back Toya’s attention.

“Got a ride out?” She inquired.

“Yea, brothers down the street.”

She nodded taking it as her cue to high tail it back into the house before she could cross paths with the smart ass,” Well, I’m going to head back inside. It was nice meeting and all.”

“He really isn’t that bad. He is a pretty cool guy and I’m not saying that because he is my brother either. Just bad timing on meeting he can be hard to handle with lack of sleep. ” Charlie knew she was trying to make a quick exit because she didn’t want to encounter his brother again.

She gave him a tight lip smile,” And so am I and with a buzz too. I can’t be held accountable for what I may say.”

Charlie laughed nodding understanding as she turned on her heel to walk away. A black SUV came wheeling in through the complex causing her to stop before she started walking across the parking lot. The car came to crawl in front of her, the passenger window rolling down and there he was.

Justin.

He held her glaze before checking over her body. Charlie watched their wordless interaction and he couldn’t help, but smirk. It was just what he thought.

Toya finally broke the gaze and turned to the side looking at Charlie,” Nice to meet you again.”

“You too.” He nodded.

She turned back around glancing at Justin and made her way around the front of the car and across the parking lot towards her apartment door. Charlie climbed into the truck, slamming the door as they watched her disappear inside her home.

Justin stared for a few more seconds before looking at Charlie. Charlie snickered,” Cool chick. Michael’s cousin moved her from New York with her little brother. Parents died when they were young. She been legal guardian ever since she was 18. Angie gave me the run down. She assistant manager at the local grocery. Little brother senior at Inglewood High, possible basketball star if he can get on the team this late in the game.”

Justin nodded turning his car around in the parking lot and heading back out.

“And she knows about reputation, but I don’t think she knows the details, but she’s a smart one coming to the Bronx. I’m sure she can piece the shit together.”

Justin moved the car back onto the main street as he leaned back into his seat,” Oh Aight.”

“Why all of a sudden interest in her?”

“She runs the local grocery with Matt. I do personal deliveries remember, I need to know if she could possibly be a snitch.”

Charlie shook his head shifting in his seat,” Naw not that one, trust me.”

Justin eyed his little brother for a moment causing Charlie looked back over at him,” What?”

“How you figure that?”

Charlie rolled his eyes and smiled,” She offered me vodka.”

“Oh.”

“Plus I never seen you look at any other chick like the way you just did. Not even Destiny. Mark my words bro. You going to fall hard for that one.”

They both shared a look and Charlie laughed nodding,” Oh yeah real hard.”

Chapter 6 by B-Twice
 

 

“So do you always sit on the side lines of your own party?” Toya spoke up glancing over her shoulder at him as he took another gulp of his drink.

 

“I don’t throw them necessarily, this is my spot and that’s about it when it comes to these things.”

 

“Hmm.” She sounded as she crossed her legs and rolled her ankle around in circles. Justin licked his lips and sat up in his seat.

 

“You don’t seem like the partying type.”

“I’m not.”

“Why did you come?”

She tucked a curl behind her hair and shrugged,” I guess you can say it was suggested I act my age.”

 

“What age is that?”

 

"24."

 

He scoffed in pure disbelief, "Bullshit."

 

She now turned her body a bit towards him with a humorous smile," How old do you think I am?"

 

"I would give you 29 judging by the way you carry yourself. Looks 26."

 

She shook her head turning back around," Nope, 24."

 

"I guess they were right then."

 

"They?" She inquired turning her attention to him again.

 

Whoever told you that you needed to act your age? You are making yourself old before your time. That stick you had in there when I first met you for starters." He chugged the last of his beer before sitting it down on the ground beside him.

 

"Ah there is the cocky bastard, I was wondering when he was going to show up." She rolled her eyes giving him her full back this time. She crossed her legs a little tighter, which Justin took notice of and her leg bounced a little more. It signaled only one thing. She was irritated by him.

 

 

He grew a small smirk,” I never left."

 

She didn't give him a response just kept looking forward and glancing at the time on her watch. She wandered when the game was going to be over so she make her way back to the house. She had a okay time up until this point.

 

 

 

 

 

"Got somewhere to be?"

 

No response.

 

He leaned forward in his chair until he was just barely touching her shoulder with his chin," Past your bed time?"

 

She slowly turned her head glaring at him," Back. The fuck off me."

 

Every word oozed with heavy accent surprisingly turning him on, which made him sit all the way back in his seat. He never had any girl talk to him like that before for as long as he could remember. He watched as she shot up from her seat and charge her way across the parking lot.

 

Charlie watched as Toya bee lined it back to Angie’s car opening the passenger side and disappeared inside with a slam of the door. He turned his attention back to his brother who was raising from his seat, heading over to one of the steel barrels filled with beer and grabbed two and followed Toya's trail. He just shook his head and continued on with his conversation.

 

Justin slowly approached Angie's car as she was leaned in the passenger door talking to Toya," Girl come on get out of the car.."

 

Justin walked around to the opposite and threw his glance to Oscar's direction and nodded. Oscar smirked and walked up behind Angie, tugging at her waist," Come on Ang, let her cool off why don't come with me and shake a little something."

 

Angie shrugged Oscar off annoyingly while peering at Justin with weary eyes as he opened the driver side door and slipped inside.

 

Toya was tossing back her third shot since she been in the car when Justin slipped into the driver seat. She rolled her eyes swallowing down the hard liquor with a hiss. Justin didn’t look at her but popped open the tops to the beer and handing her one.

 

When she didn’t accept right away, his eyes met hers.

 

 

A burst of heat coursed through her body surely making her cheeks redden, forcing her to take the cold beverage, taking a couple of gulps before resting against her seat. Justin watched as she rubbed the glass bottle against the side of her neck letting little ringlets of water cascade down chest and in between the valleys of her breasts disappearing.

 

He shifted and took a drink.

 

As they sat there in quiet, Toya began to chuckle softly shaking her head. Justin turned to look at her with a raised brow. She glanced at him from the corner of her eye.

 

“You have no idea, how common you are to me?”

 

“Common?”

 

She shook her beer in hand,” This is your way of apologizing.”

 

He scoffed,” You look like you needed to cool off.”

 

She disregarded his smart remark,” I know your type all too well. I’ve... I’ve been around your type for a long time.”

 

“Enlighten me on what my type is.”

 

She shifted in her seat pressing her back up against the passenger door and clicked her tongue against the roof of her mouth,” The type that knows they run shit, but like to pretend like they are just a little fly on the wall.”

 

Justin “hmph’d” in response, tipping his bottle back up against his lips.

 

“People around here look at as some type of American Gangster want to be. You have this false illusion that you are helping your community and that everyone loves, but they live in secret fear of you because they know what you are capable of. You think you can’t be denied anything when you through your weight around. Especially when it comes to women.”

 

He just watched her as she continued to ramble on about how she thought she knew him and his so called type. She moved her hands as she talked taking a sip of beer in between, her accent came in heavy the more she talked. She definitely had some rough edges, he could tell by the things she was saying, some of them true, some them not, but her words definitely spoke from experience.

 

She definitely had been exposed to his lifestyle.

 

Toya knew she was drunk because she got really smart at the mouth, bold, aggressive and talkative. It didn’t help that it had been a long time since she had consumed this much alcohol in one setting.  He looked at her with a calmness in his eyes, as though he wanted to know what she actually thought him.

 

Or it could just be the liquor.

 

Her mouth was running a mile minute until she glanced down at the near empty patron bottle.

 

Yeah it was definitely the liquor.

 

She abruptly stop talking and they sat in silence for a while.

 

Justin let out deep chuckle glazing out at the scene before him,” I definitely give it to you, there is some truth to what you said. But let me explain something to you.  I get no glory for any of this. I don’t feel like no king, or boss, or gangster. What I am is a business man. I am in a business, that I can guess you could say I inherited. So, with being the business man that I am. I am responsible for a lot of people. I don’t claim to be no hero or hood Robin Hood. I do whatever it takes to keep the money flowing in this city. I put money in these dudes pockets so they can pay rent, pay their child support, pay their court fees, and put food on their tables and clothes on their back. “

She felt the heat crawl around the back of her neck as began to flush because of embarrassment. She didn’t expect a response from him nor did she expect a serious one. His tone was low, but it held definitely confidence and authority. He meant what he was saying.

 

“As far as the women go. I am a man, but half naked, desperate women with money signs in their eyes don’t appeal to me. Half of them couldn’t make it a few hours in my world. I am unpredictable, I like my privacy. I don’t like a woman on my arm all the time. I separate my life from my business as much as I can and sometimes, more often than none. It ain’t easy.”

 

She knew exactly what he meant.

 

He chug down the last of his beer and motioned to the party scene before them, drawing Toya’s attention to it as well,” These women out here, don’t want nothing but money and a title. They think being the woman of someone in my inner circle is like striking gold. Guarantee protection, guarantee respect and money, but they forget their a guarantee target. Not just them, but anyone and everyone that they are personally connected with. Being with me isn’t a walk in a park and my life isn’t for the faint at heart.”

Silence drew over them again.


"So tell me about you."


Toya glanced over at him and smirked," I'm sure you know all about me."


She reached down grabbing her purse from the floor and began rummage through it until she found her cell phone. She went through her message box and began to text her brother to see there whereabouts.


Damion simply replied," I'm good sis. We chillin'."


She couldn't help, but smile. He wasn't going to give her any reason to come home early and she knew that about him.


"Look I know we got off on a bad start, I'm really just trying to make conversation with you."


"I don't need conversation. I'm drunk."


He chuckled lightly and nodded," Yeah you really polished off that bottle. Yet you manage to hold a conversation really good. I'm impressed."


She rolled her eyes and finished off the last shot, emptying the bottle completely. She laid back against seat pressing back her curls from her damp face. The heat from their bodies and mouths began to fog up the windows of the car. She closed her eyes for a few moments before popping them back open.


She was starting to get sleepy and that meant it was time to go.  She sat up in her seat sighing," I need to get Angie,  It's time for me to go home before I pass out."


" I'll take you home." Justin offered sincerely.


She cut her eyes towards him as if that was the most absurd thing she had heard, but his offered still stands.


She waved him off and shook her head,"  No, I'll get her. She will take me home."


Justin turned around noticing body laying on the back of her chair, while Oscar practically laid on top of her drying humping her. He turned back around and scoffed," Good luck with that. If she goes anywhere it won't be home."


Toya glanced back in the direction he was just looking and groaned at the sight. She cursed underneath her breath.


"Look  how about I get Charlie to take you home. You are more comfortable with him. He won't mind."


He didn't give her a chance to protest before he was closing the door shut to the car.  She sighed guessing she had no choice in the matter. It was a few minutes before Justin was opening her door and offering her his hand in assistances out the car. She was in the middle of texting Michael that she was on her way home and that she would see them when they got there.


Charlie stood there grinning with a chemise cat," Look at you lightweight."


She couldn't help, but smile glancing over at Justin as he held onto her arm firmly, more concerned with balancing her than paying attention to Charlie's playful banter. Even though she hadn't even taken a step. But she certainly felt the laws of gravity.


" Not typically my style and I'm sure I'm going to regret it in the morning."


Charlie smiled and nodded towards to Justin as he offered his arm to Toya. They began to make their way across the yard patiently making sure not to move too quick along the gravel.


Justin already ahs someone pull his car out for them. It sat idle, as Charlie and Justin traced her off so Justin could help her inside the truck. Angie came around back," Hey, what's going on."


Toya stepped into the car as Justin firmly held onto her waist to steady her. Justin glanced over at her with a bit of a scorn, causing Angie to step back at the look. Toya sat down in the car smiled lightly at her," I'm going home I had way too much to drink. Justin and Charlie offered me a ride home so you can stay here with Oscar."


Justin stood in the door way watching as Toya clumsily buckled her seat belt.


"I could have taken you home, didn't know you were readying to go. I thought--" She glanced between her and Justin."


"I'll get her home Ang, don't sweat it." Charlie called out from the driver seat shifting it into drive and nodding towards Justin. That was Justin's cue to close the door and lean over in the window completely cutting the conversation between Toya and Angie off.

Toya looked at Justin with glossed eyes as he reached for her phone that she held in her hands. He was too quick or she was too drunk to object. He quickly typed away and then handed it back to her.


"Let me know you okay in the morning." Justin muttered quickly between them and then nodded at Charlie give him the 'ok'.


Toya back in her seat and closed her eyes as  they slowly made their way out, glancing into the rearview mirror, Charlie watched as her brother turn around and quickly grab hold of Angie's arm and marched her out of sight.


Charlie shook his head and looked over to Toya as she was fast asleep.















Chapter 7 by B-Twice
Author's Notes:
Just a littke something

 

 

Ringgg…

 

 

Damion rose from his chair after stuffing his books down into his backpack. He filed out of his history class along with his other classmates at the end of class. He moved down the crowded hallway until his reached his locker. He spun the lock in a sequence and then popped it open, swapping his books for his next set. He occasionally glanced around him watching as others did the same as some were headed to lunch and the others headed to another class.

 

He was heading to lunch, he threw his backpack over his shoulder and closed his locker. He made his way once more through the crowd heading in the direction of the cafeteria. He round the corner and out the double doors to the outside covered cross walk.

 

As he did, he spotted Kerri walking with a group of her friends ahead of him. He watched as she laughed jovially at whatever the conversation was. He couldn't help but crack a smile at her infectious laugh.

Kerri turned her head as tucked hair behind her ear. She caught a glimpse of Damion behind her,” I’ll catch up with you guys.”

She backed her way out of her circle of friends and called out Damion as he was digging in his pocket for his phone. He glanced up and smiled at her,” Ay, what’s up?”

She smiled holding her textbooks to her chest as she turned to walk in sync with him,” How are you doing? I haven’t seen you in a couple of days.”

“Ah, you know doing the school thing. How you been?” He asked holding the door as they walked through another set of double doors back inside to the other side of school.

“Had to do some tutoring classes with some people. Then had more new people come in. So I’ve been busy. Senior year is really kicking my butt.” She sighed for a moment, but went back to smiling again as she looked at him.

He nodded smiling down at her as they made their way into the noisy cafeteria and fell in line for food,” You definitely can handle it I’m sure about that.”

She bite down on the corner of his lip trying to contain her wild smile.

 

 “Thanks.” She replied sheepishly.

 

 They stood grinning at each other while the moved through the food line. The choices for the day were; BBQ chicken, rice and beans, seasoned potatoes, corn and bread. Then add on the salad bar that stood alone, along with ready-made sandwiches and fresh fruit. Damion opted for two bananas and two peanut butter sandwiches with a Gatorade.  Kerri choosing BBQ chicken and a small salad.

 

 

As they paid for their food, Damion followed beside Kerri until he headed in the opposite direction.

 

“Hey Damion, come just me at our table.”

 

Damion glanced over to her table with her friends and a couple of guys hanging around. He just smiled and shook his head,” Naw thanks though, I’m going to head to the gym throw the ball around. I’ll see you around though.”

He turned to make his way out of the cafeteria and down the hall as he placed his food down into bag and cracked open his Gatorade. He made it half way down the hall when he heard Kerri’s voice grab his attention. He turned around as she was jogging her way towards him with her food in to-go box,” Care if I join you?”

“Sure why not.”

They smiled at each other once again and began walking side by side in the direction of the gym.

--

 

“Oh God.” Toya groaned as she rattled four aspirin from the bottle and tossed it back into her purse. She popped them into her mouth and chugged down half her bottle of water.

 

She had a massive hangover.

 

She regretted the night before with much passion the moment she woke up. After a long shower and another hour laying down she looked better than she actually felt. She had to muster the energy to get ready for work and drive Damion to school. The whole ride was quiet, but Damion found much humor in his sister being hung over for the first time he ever known of.

 

 it was very much out of character for her, but he enjoyed it because that meant she would bagger him about school and friends especially girls.

 

Once she got to work, she spent the better half of the morning in the office going over paper work in the soft lit room, but she couldn't break the headache.

 

 She would have to just work through it and hopefully be able to stay hidden with much interruption. She took on the task of trying to organize paperwork and do schedules while Matthew worked the front of the store.

 

As she was setting up her Excel worksheet for the new schedule, the office phone rung causing her to jump, she glanced at the screen and yanked it from its holder, ”LeToya.”

 

“Hey, can you give Porsche a call, she’s thirty minutes late for her shift?”

“Got it.” She hung up.

 

She went through the phone directory and dialed Porsche’s cell, only for it to end up at the voice mail. She left no alternate number, so she called again then left a message.

 

” Hey Porsche, this is LeToya your assistant manager, was just calling to check up on you. You’re thirty minutes late for your shift.  I just wanted touch bases with you to see if you were alright. Give us a call back when you can 555-7878. Thanks bye.”

 

She hung up the phone and went back working the schedule, until her cellphone buzzed.  She lifted it out the slightly open drawer, seeing a text message was awaiting for her.

Mike: You alive, champ?

She grinned texting a reply back.

Barely. Head is about to explode and I thought it was a good idea to do a spreadsheet.

She sat it down only for it to buzz again.

 

Mike: Genius. Heard you made quite an impression on the Timberlake brother’s. Jay to be more specific.

 

She scoffed.

 

I don’t know what you talking about. I came. I got pissed off. I drank. I got drunk and went home. Life was conquered last night. I’m done for the year.

 

She hadn't forgotten about Justin, even with a raging headache. She hadn't forgotten their conversation or his gentleman approach to make sure she had gotten home safely even though it wasn't him dropping her off. Even though it would have been more reassuring on his end if he saw her home.

 

He took in account that she was more comfortable with his younger brother and did was necessary in her best interest all around.

 

Angie was right, he wasn’t really all that bad.

 

She also remembered him placing his number into her phone and that he request that she text him when she got home and she would have if she hadn’t passed out on the way there, forcing Charlie to wait until her brother got home because he didn’t feel comfortable going through her purse to find her keys.

Timberlake’s were quite deceiving. They had a gentleman side under all that rough exterior, which was much unexpected.

She probably would through him a text later.

Her phone buzzed against the desk once more.

Mike: That you did. And Conquered a Timberlake, that’s a lot to be said. All this coming from Angie, who was given the horns by Justin for and I quote “face down and ass up in gravel while Toya was drinkin’ herself into a coma.” He was pissed. Never known him to give a shit nor raise hell over a woman. People are definitely talking.

 

 She frowned.

 

The last thing she wanted was people talking about her or linking her to the Timberlake’s. As Justin stated that night, being associated with him had its consequences. None which she could afford.

 

 

She decided against communicating with him.

--

 

 

Damion stood at the three point line and bounced the ball against the polish wood floors a couple of times because taking his stance and throwing the ball in the air allowing it to roll from fingers and into the net, effortlessly with a soft swish.

 

It stood there in the zone for a couple of minutes, from time to time doing jump shots never missing a shot. Kerri sat on the bleachers in amazement, jabbing at her lunch. He shot the ball as though it was another part of him. Like it was as easy as blinking.

 

 He jogged after the ball, grabbing it with one hand and tuck it underneath his arm before walking over to her. He gathered up a sweat around his temple and along his neck, but nothing serious. He sat down beside her, tucking the ball underneath his legs as he grabbed his drink.

 

“Wow, you are really good at that.” Kerri nudged him with her shoulder as he gulped down some of Gatorade. He glanced over to her and chuckled before speaking.

 

“Thanks.” He recapped his drink and sat a moment to cool off.

 

“Did you play school ball back home?” She inquired as she took a small bite of shredded carrot from her salad.

 

He nodded leaning back against the bleachers,” Yeah was on varsity my freshman year. Won every championship.”

“That’s awesome. You should definitely try out for the varsity. I think try outs are next week actually.”

She reached into her backpack pulling out her planner organizer and began to flip through the pages. Damion sat up and looked over her shoulder, as he did he caught her scent. She had a sweet vanilla scent. He glanced at her pink glossed lips as she bite down on her bottom lip flipping through her planner.

 

She probably tastes just as good as she smells.

 

 “Here it is, yeah starts next Monday. “

 

He pulled back and nodded grabbing the ball again and standing to his feet. He bounced the ball and spun it on his finger tip,” You play any sports?”

 

She closed her planner and shook her head,” No, I’m on the student government, assistant president of the debate time and dance team. That is about as much sports as I get.”

 

He wiggled his eyebrow impressed, but not surprised. She was definitely bright,” Let me show you something.”

She raised a brow,” Show me what?”

 

“How to shoot.”

 

She shook her head wrapping her arms around herself and leaned against her knees,” Naw, I’m okay.”

He rolled his eyes and reached down grabbing her arm gently and pulled her up onto her feet,” Come I’ll show you it’s easy. Piece of cake.”

 

She laughed sarcastically allowing her to drag her towards the middle of the court,” Says a 6 foot something, superstar since freshman year.”

He snickered and positioned her on the three point line and stood behind her holding the ball out in front of her,” Trust me.”

 

 She hesitated for a moment before grabbing the ball. Damion coached her through her stance standing beside her eyeing her and adjusting her a bit when needed. Then drew back and allowed her to shoot. She closed her eyes once she released the ball from her hands. Few seconds passed before she heard the swishing of the net and the ball hitting the ground.

“A natural.” Damion whistled.

 

Her eye darted from the net to him and back,” It went in?!”

He nodded laughing jogging to grab the ball,” Yeah nicely too. You would have known if you hadn’t shut your eyes woman.”

She jumped up in the air with a squeal, as she ran towards him and jumped on top of him in pure excitement. He stumbled back as he laughed heartily wrapping an arm around her small frame.

--

 

 Toya was standing at the register with a smile as she checked out a customer while Tiwanna took her first fifteen minute break. As she finished with her customer. She noticed Porsche come walking into the automatic doors with her sunglasses on her face and her large purse dangling from her arm.

She walked with an attitude in her step as she bee-lined it start to the back to clock-in. Toya groaned inwardly as she logged off the register as she motion to one of the girls that she could be right back.

As she made her way down an aisle Porsche was coming towards her, throwing her apron over her head roughly," Yeah I know I'm late." She barked a bit.

"Follow me to the office." Toya responded as she radioed Matthew to meet her there as well.

 She could hear Porsche click her tongue against the roof of her mouth as she turned to follow behind Toya. They made it to the office and Porsche threw herself in the seat in front of the desk, folding her arms and crossing her legs bouncing her foot impatiently. Toya sat down and they awaited Matthew appears.

He finally came into the door, closing it quietly behind him. He glanced at Toya and then at the annoyed Porsche," You are an hour late, what's going on Porsh?"

"I overslept." She replied glancing down at her feet.

 

Matthew and Toya exchanged looks.

Toya wasn't about to have this nonsense. She wasn't buying the excuse and a lame one it was. While she spent the better half of her morning going through paperwork. She noticed in the time-sheets that Porsche was notorious for being late. It started off as no longer than fifteen minutes, then the times continued to get longer until sometimes she was an hour and half late almost two hours.

Everything was documented, but she never signed anything of her disciplinary notes, nor was the stated disciplinary actions taken from what she could tell. She didn't know whether Matthew cared, or that he simply just didn't feel like going through the termination process. In this city, he probably didn't want to make enemies.

 “Well Porsche, I've noticed here in several pages of paperwork that you have a track record of coming in late, without no documentation, sometimes not even with a phone call. I'm just trying to figure is there something we can help you with, maybe change your hours around so that you can get here on time." Toya suggested.

 

 Porsche slowly lifted her glaze from her fascination with her shoes to Toya. She knew that it took all power in her not to throw Toya a death glare, but didn't stop her from rolling her eyes slightly.

 

 

 

"No, I'm fine. Like I said I overslept. It happens."

 

 

 

"Well, I just hope you know that we are going to have to write you up for this. It has been a bit too excessive for a long time and I also want to say that disciplinary action will follow after the second write up. Now, this is a verbal warning. I will have you sign this paper stating that this is exactly what has happen. You can chose to sign it or not, but if you do not it will be noted and signed by us. Let us know if we can help you work out a better plan as far as your schedule goes. We will do anything we can to help you."

 

 

 

Matthew agreed with a head nod. Toya fetched the write-up papers from the drawer and signed them heading it over for her to sign. Porsche snatched a pen from the desk, scrabbling her name. Matthew reached and signed his John Hancock as well.

 

 

 

"We done?" She asked clearly pissed off.

 

 

 

Toya nodded and motioned for the door. She stood up snatching her bag from the floor and stormed out of the off. Matthew glanced at the door and then turned around and looked at Toya," Safe to say she is pissed."

 

 

 

Toya shrugged her shoulder placing the paper into a file," I could care less. It has been going on for far too long. You can't expected to come in when you want and expect to have a job. Shit doesn't work like that."

 

 

 

Matthew nodded agreeing sitting down in the seat that Porsche occupied," Yeah, she does definitely live on her time."

 

 

 

Now it was time for Toya to roll her eyes," Well she needs to get her own business. If she wants to work her own hours that is. Another thing her attitude is something else that will get her in trouble as well."

 

 

 

"She's not that bad."

 

 

 

"I didn't say she was, but her actions say otherwise. This is a business even though its local grocery store. People come in to shop and try to enjoy it as much as one can. They are paying for food, not attitude."

 

 

 

Matthew looked at her and whistled as he ran his hand over the top of his slacks," I hear you there."

 

 

 

"Also another thing." As she fiddled with some more paper work. She waved at the space in between them.

 

 

 

"They are a representation of us as management. Their attitudes and shit reflect on us. If we have the director come in and she running two hours without much a phone call. We will be in here having our asses handed to us. I'm not letting no determine my life, but me. This should have been nip in the butt a long time ago."

 

 

 

"I guess I’ve been numb to the attitudes as long as they did cause no problems with customers. I've been okay." He confessed.

 

 

 

Toya shook her head dropping her handful of paper against the desk," This is why, from what I've seen and heard this place get robbed almost twice a month. You've grown numb to all of it. With much respect Matt, you seem like great honest guy you have got to put your foot down, its time to end all this crap. You start caring about your job and your employees they will in turn show you respect and if they don't it’s time for them to go. My name is on the door just like yours. No one is going to misrepresent me. If I have anything to say about it."

 

  --

 

Justin glanced down at his phone before tucking it back into his jacket pocket.

 

“You heard anything yet?”

 

Justin turned his head to see his little brother standing in the door way of his office. He didn’t respond, but went back to flipping through his papers. Charlie chuckled scratching through his beard as he walked further inside and took a seat on the small sofa adjacent to Justin’s desk and kicked his feet up on the office table.

 

“I could always go by there and check up on here. You know just a quick run through. “

 

Justin threw him a quick glance, but remained silent as he punched numbers into a calculator and copying down the number.

 

Charlie waited a moment before continuing,” I heard what you said to Angie, got carried away there bro?”

 

“Nothing she didn’t deserve...” He mumbled quietly and muttered something else underneath his breath.

 

Charlie shrugged his shoulder,” I guess you right, but since when do you offer my services to escort anyone home? Not that I didn’t mind, she was passed out the whole way. Had to wait till Michael and her little brother showed up before I could get her in the house.”

 

“That’s why and besides she more comfortable with you than she is with me.” Justin stated.

 

“Yeah maybe if you haven’t come off as a smart ass when you first met her man. Usually you are a little more subtle with that remarks.”

 

Justin looked up from his paper work, clearly not in the mood to have this conversation,” You needed something?”

 

Charlie shook his head as he folded his arms across his chest and stared up at the cracked ceiling,” I think she is a real cool chick, hot man.  You should definitely give it a go with that one. She has potential.”

Justin turned up his face,” Wait a minute, who asked you anything and since you want to talk about women. What’s up with them eyes you been giving Angie last night?”

“What?” Charlie dropped his feet from the coffee table and Justin smirked.

“Yeah, you know that’s Oscar’s girl. He will beat your ass over that one.”

Charlie rolling his eyes,” Please, we might have grown up together, but I know his weakness. Right in his crumbled knee.”

Justin dropped his head in a chuckle,” Oh alright.”

Running his fingers over his hair, Charlie shrugged,” She’s cool though. But I’m not trying to compete with nobody. “

“True.”

“Now that red hair Clarissa.” Charlie bites his fist in agony with a roll of his eyes.

Justin shook his head,” You know she’s not a natural red.”

Charlie dismissed him with a wave of his hand,” I don’t care about that!”

--

 Damion pushed through the front doors of the school at the end of the day. He stayed around to talk the coaches of the basketball team after Kerri mentioned his name to him.  He pulled his phone from pocket as it rang and pressed it to his ear.

“I’m in the parking lot.” Toya voice filter through the ear piece.

“Coming now.”

He hit the end button and walked out into the sun. As he looked around he noticed Kerri standing by her car in the parking lot talking with some guy Toya was a few parking spots away from her.

He made his way across the lot as, he glanced back over to notice, whatever conversation they were having it wasn’t a friendly. He had her blocked in with a black lifted Chevy with oversized rims and with a Spanish Decal on the back of it.

As he got closer, he could catch bits and pieces of the conversation.

“Chico, look would you just move your car? How many times do we have to go through this? I’m not interested, this is like harassment. Besides I—I’m talking to someone right now. My OWN age. “

The man was an easy 5’7 , with a bandana wrapped around his slick black hair pulled into a ponytail. He looked like one of the Hispanic straight out of the movie Next Friday. Damion chuckled to him, as he glanced over at Toya as she sat waiting in the car and held him his hand before turning the opposite direction and heading towards Kerri.

Toya watched from afar as her little brother moved towards the scene that she had been watching herself. The young teen was arguing with this much older man as he attempted to sweet talk her. He obviously was almost twice her age. And here he was talking to talk to this young girl who kept pointing out, in plain English that she wasn’t not even remotely interested.

Toya looked on as Damion walked up to them and threw his arm around the girl, pulling her into a tight side hug with a kiss on the forehead. Toya knew what he was doing trying to save her from the uncomfortable conversation. She smiled watching as the guy stood there for a few moments awkwardly before Damion offered a handshake.

The man just nodded his head and turned to get in his car and drove off.

Toya had to give it to him, he was a pretty good gentleman.

After waiting a few minutes, Damion headed back to the car once she was in hers and off. As he climbed in the car and buckled up. Toya threw the car in reverse glancing at him,” She okay?”

“Yeah, she straight.”

“Nice thing you did.”

He mumbled a thank you as he glanced out the window and then over to her with a grin,” You okay? You will real messed up last night.”

“Still got a headache, long day just ready to get home and get in the bed.”

“Yo, who was that dude that dropped you off?”

Toya thought for a minute until it came to her,” Oh his name is Charlie, one of Michael’s friends.”

“Yeah, what about the other one, his brother I think. He came by this morning as I was heading out to check-up on you.”

Toya frowned her face, shifting her eyes from him to the traffic in front of her.

“Dude with short cut, looks just like the other one.”

“I know who you talking about, like you said that’s his brother. Justin or whatever. What he say?”

Damion shrugged his shoulders,” Just that he wanted to make sure you was straight. He gave me a ride to school.”

She snapped her head to the side almost slamming on the break, but quickly realizing they were still in moving traffic.

You what?! You got in the car with him!? Damion have you lost your fucking mind?”

He threw his hands out,”Yo! What the fuck!”

“Watch your mouth! Why would you get in the car with a damn stranger! What is wrong with you?!”

“Man first, you was too f---freaking drunk, second dude offered cause Mike was running late for a meeting going the opposite direction. Mike said it was school man.”

She groaned out loud in frustration sending her headache roaring again, she snatched her phone from the center console and dialed up Michael’s number.

“Yo cuz what’s up?”

“Are you fucking insane Michael?!”

“Whoaaaa, what’s going on?”

She turned the car sharply into the parking lot of their apartment complex,” You let a complete stranger take Damion to school???”

Damion sighed,” Toya chill man, I’m not fucking five!”

She shot him a glare as she threw the car into park causing it to jerk hard,” Toya listen man, Jay is cool dude man he ain’t like that.”

They climbed out the car and she directed Damion to get the bags out of the car as she went to unlock the door,” I don’t care, I don’t know him. He doesn’t know him. Don’t do that shit Mike, cause I swear if anything—“

“Man LeToya! You think I would really let him ride off with someone—“

Toya flung her purse onto the couch and began to kick off her shoes as Damion sat the groceries on the counter shaking his head,” It doesn’t matter I am his guardian! He is my responsibility! I do not under any circumstance---“

Damion snatched the phone out of her hand,” Yo Michael its cool. She trippin’ we will holla at you later before she say anything she will regret.”

He ended the phone call and tossed the phone on the counter as he gave Toya a look that could start a fire if it wanted too. There was one other time she looked at him like that and that was when she went ham on Quinn for something she said to her and embarrassed him.

“Says the one who had to be drug in the house by a stranger because she was passed out. And I’m the one was lost their mind.”

She opened her mouth, but then closed it again. He scoffed and went back to unloading the groceries.

 

 

 

Chapter 8 by B-Twice

 Toya stood over the stove pulling the last few pieces of chicken out of the fry and placed it on the paper towel lined plate. She turned around and pulled three plates out of the cabinet and began to pile the plate up with mash potatoes and green beans and saving the chicken for last. She took a single plate out and walked into the small dining area where her Aunt Margaret sat tapping the ashes of her cigarette into an empty cup.

She watched as the older woman took another puff and waved her to place it down in front of her. The woman didn’t move to begin eating, but continued to watch Toya as she turned to grab the other two plates. She had been watching her closely ever since they had arrived to the house after being dropped off by their parent’s pastor and first lady. She didn’t speak much to her and her little brother Damion, but told her to go in and find them something to eat.

Toya returned with her and her brothers’ plates and set them up on the table. She looked over to see him sitting in front of the television half watching it, but glancing ever so often to look at their aunt as she puffed away.

“Damion dinner.” Toya called.

He nodded and quietly made his way over and sat down across from his older sister while eyeing his Aunt. Toya cleared her throat and reached out for his hands so they could say grace like they always had did at home.

Margaret scoffed with a mumble. “You are my sister’s children.”

Toya whispered a simple prayer and they began to eat quietly.

Margaret puffed again on her cigarette as the smoke filtered throughout the dinner area. Damion would cough occasionally throughout his meal and his eyes began to turn red. They weren’t use to the continuous smell of cigarette smoke.

Margaret didn’t touch her food, Toya had noticed.

She just continue to stare at Toya.

It wasn’t until they had got done eating and Damion was off in the shower and Toya was washing up dishes, did she decide to speak.

“How old are you again Toya?”

“16.”

Margaret stood up from her chair putting out her smoke and bringing her cup to dump out the ashes and placed it down into the dish water. She leaned up against the counter top next to Toya as she continued to wash dishes. She folded her arms across her chest and looked at the girl.

“I want you to know right now, I’m done raising kids I did my part with mines and he took his ass off to the other side of the country with his good for nothing daddy and left me here without a second thought. So listen, you going to have to watch your own brother and I mean you make sure he do his school work, he eat, clean and look half way decent. I’ll make sure you have want you both need and that’s it.”

Toya didn’t lift her head , but kept her eyes focused ahead while listening to her aunt say what she would and won’t do,” You old enough to have your own money, so you going to be working, I got the job just for you. If you want enough money to get yourself out and get your own place when you of age, you can take your brother with you. You ain’t going to offend me none.”

She pulled her small carton of smokes out and lit another one while eyeing Toya’s figure and with a smirk,” Yeah I definitely have the job for you.”

The next day Toya was coming out the bathroom headed back to the room she shared with her brother. When Margaret called out to her from her own bedroom. Toya pushed the door open and saw her aunt sitting on the edge of her bed with a red silk night gown on and matching house coat.

She sipped on her whiskey on ice while she reached for her cigarette carton again. For such a beautiful woman she smoked like a chimney. She placed her glass down on its crystal coaster and motion to the door of her closet,” Open up that door and try on the dress that hanging on the other side.”

Toya eyed the door and then Margaret,” GO on girl, I’m finna go to bed.”

Toya moved for the door pulling it open and scanned her brown eyes over it. It was a short red dress that low plunge that framed down into a V with an open back and straps wrapped around her neck. She looked back over her shoulder at her aunt and she flicked her hand quickly at her signaling to hurry up while she took another sip of her drink.

 She disappeared into the closet and re-emerged with the dress fitting every curve of her young body. Margaret looked at her through the smoke cloud that framed her face. She stood up walking over and stood before her,” Turn around.”

Toya did as she was told turning slowly until she was facing her aunt once more.

Pulling the cigarette from her faintly lipstick stained lips, she blew smoke into air and sucked her teeth,” Yeah you going to do just fine.”

It was a Thursday mid-morning when Toya walked into the 99 cent store with her wristlet round her wrist and her shopping list in her hand. It was her day off, but didn’t mean she had much time for rest, after getting Damion to school and coming home for a quick run around the block. She made her way back out to run a couple of errands around town. Her first stop was to get some household products, before going to the grocery store to get some food for the upcoming week.

 

Still dressed in her black spandex carpi pants, running shoes and a loose white t-shirt. She pushed her way through the aisles collecting various items. As she did, she began to feel eyes on her. She casually looked up from her list to see two girls, the aisle over glancing at her from time to time while they conversed in a rush tone.

 

She simply ignored them and continued with shopping, making a quick trip of it. As she made her way to the checkout line the same girls stood behind her with their own items to check out. Toya stood in line flipping through and mentally checking off her to-do list.

 

“Yeah, I heard she’s from Brooklyn or somewhere.”

 

She caught one of them whispering, she didn’t stop what she was doing as her ears tuned a little more in the whispered conversation.

 

“…. She call herself tryin’ to run shit at Porsche job, but she ain’t nobody.”

 

Toya rolled her eyes and tuned them out again. They must be some friends of Porsche. She didn’t have time to listen to petty gossip of a pouting little girl and her friends. She needed to check-out and head out to get an oil change. As she approached the check-out, she placed her things on the conveyer belt and the clerk began to scan her items.

 

“Good afternoon Ms. Did you find everything okay?” The young Hispanic woman asked as she smiled popping her chewing gum between her teeth.

 

A brief smile and a nod is all Toya gave her as she watched her drag items quickly along the scanner. Toya watched the screen as the items added up and once the clerk was done. She stabbed at the enter button with her long neon orange talons and popped a bubble as she read the total, “That will be 20.42.”

 

Toya dug exact change out of her wristlet and handed to the woman and she handed her back the receipt.

 

“I have a question?” Toya asked as she glanced at the girls name tag.

 

“Melinda.”

 

She nodded as she began ring up the next customer’s items,” Do you know of place that does affordable oil changes around here?”

 

The woman thought for a moment and then clicked her tongue when the thought came to her,” Yeah yeah, its a few blocks down a family own business called J.C and Family. They real good and real easy on the pocket they will work with you if you don’t have it. It’s the blue building on the right two lights down.”

 

“Oh ok thank you I appreciate it.”

 

“No problem, oh tell them Melinda sent ya. Have a nice day honey.”

 

Toya smiled back while grabbing her few bags out of the cart and pushed it back over to where she found it. She headed back outside and placed her things into her truck and headed off to find the place.

 

J.C and Family.

 

 She thought it sounded familiar or maybe she had seen it before.

She pulled up to the second light while looking out of front view mirror at the blue building in the short distance. It confirmed her thoughts, she had seen the building before. She drove slower and closer turning onto blinker while turning into the side parking lot, once she entered it hit her.

 

This is Justin and his brother’s place.

 

She groaned inward as she pulled into the parking lot. She glanced at herself in the mirror and reached up to undo and redo her ponytail before grabbing her wallet and phone and getting out of the car. As she locked her car up. She opened up the top of her shirt fanning herself trying to see if she smelt musty after her run this morning.

She wished she would have went and took a shower before running around, but was glad she didn’t smell. She made her way up to the garage door as various cars were being worked on, music blared from further inside. The smell of oil, car exhaust and cigarette smoke instantly hit her noses once she set further into the building. As she approached closer, she noticed Justin bent underneath a hood of a car tinkering on the inside. He grunted as it looked like he was trying to get something loose, his arms flexed with every moment his forearm streaked with dirt, sweat and oil.

Sweat dripped down the sides of his face and along his neck. The front of his dirty v- neck white t-shirt was damp with perspiration and his open gray uniform with his name on the right and the company logo on it was worn and faded. The heat definitely picked up a few degrees within an hour and the back of her neck was began to sweat as well. He reached down at the bottom of his shirt and dragged it across his face to wipe the sweat exposing his tone stomach.

Toya hummed softly as she licked her lips subconsciously and then shifted her eyes from his stomach back to his face.

 He pulled a part out and wiped it with the dirty rag that was tucked in his back pocket and tossed it to the man that stood beside him watching.

“I think we have one more of these parts in stock, if not put an order in for it.” He instructed as he readjusted his baseball cap and twisted it backwards.

“Aight boss.” The man replied making his way into the back.

He backed away from the car wiping his hands.

“Hey Toya…”

She turned around to the sound of her name being called from deep within the garage. Charlie faced appeared as he walked out. She gave him a friendly smile while glancing over to Justin who was now focused in on her as well.

“Hey Charlie.”

He approached her stopping a few feet from her,” How you feelin? It looks like you survived your hungover.”

She chuckled,” Yeah and the last one. It was more trouble than it was worth.”

“I hear ya, what’s brings you over here?”

“Um, well I was in need of an oil change, Melinda sent me over there.”

“Ah, little senorita, always bringing in the business for us. But yeah we can take care of you, well Justin can. I was out to do a run, but he can get you squared away, who better than the boss eh”

Charlie smirked and winked while throwing an arm around her shoulder and moving them towards Justin were he still stood,” Hey Jay, I’m heading out. Toya needs an oil change I told her you would take care of her.”

Justin nodded and glanced out towards to the parking lot,” The Lexus right?”

“Yeah.”

He held his hand out for her keys and she dropped them in his waiting hand,” I’m going to pull in over on the other side.”

She nodded watching as he headed out towards her car.

“ Alright I’m gone. He got it. I’ll see you lata.” Charlie pulled his arm from her and winked walking out as a couple guys follow behind him as they hopped into a cargo van and drive off.

Justin hopped out the car and yelled for one of his workers to lift the car. Toya looked standing in the spot Charlie left her in. She shifted nervously as people buzzed around, some glancing and some gawking. As he began to drain her old oil into a pan, he waved her over.

She walked over carefully trying not to get in anyone’s way. Once she approached Justin spoke,” You need an alignment on your wheels as well as some new tires. You need some Freon it will help the A/C blow cooler.

He moved around the underside of her car, checking it out, wiggle and pulling on things. As he rattled off the repairs she needed, she began to run off numbers in her head. She could feel the stress began to build up in her shoulders by it tighten. She sighed rolling her neck and her shoulders

“ Okay, what is most important and the cost?”

Justin eyed the car once again as he rattled off an oil number to one of the guys and they scurried off to grab it,” Breaks, the wheels and alignment. You need to align your wheels so you don’t wear out your breaks and tires quicker than needed. So you look at about 300 for the set of breaks, you can get used tires that’s going to be a little under 100 and the alignment is going to be 50.”

She sighed calculating it on her phone muttering,” If its not one thing its another.”

She checked her accounts to see what monies she could afford to let go off. She would have to go home and shift something around, she sighed,” Okay I’ll have to figure it out later, but let me just get the oil change for right now.”

Justin nodded and went back to changing her oil while she watched. She folded her arms over her chest. She looked around the shop watching as his workers worked tentatively to their respective duties, laughing and joking around from time to time. She stepped over a little closer to him, but staying out of the way.

“I want to thank you for taking my brother to school the other day. You really didn’t have to do that. He could have just woke me up.”

Justin shrugged,” It’s no big deal. You can go wait over there by the office door. This won’t take me long.”

He pointed out a couple of chairs off to the side against a concrete wall. He didn’t look at her, but continue on to what he was doing. She dropped her head a little at his abruptness and ambled over and took a seat.    

Thirty minutes later, while Toya was emerged in a game of Candy Crush Justin walked up with her keys dangling from his finger tip.

“It’s already for you.”

She jerked her head up looking at him he was now just wearing his white tee.

“O-oh okay.” She gathered her wallet and stood up to take the keys from him and went to unzipping her wallet to get her debit card.

“It’s on the house.”

She shook her head,” No, I’ll pay. I don’t want no favors.”

Justin rolled his neck cracking slightly,” First time customers for basic services fee are always waivered. It’s what we do and that’s what are makes us. Contrary to popular rumor.”

She stares at him as he looks boldly back her with a serious demeanor. She slowly zipped back up her wallet and cleared her throat.

“Well thank you.”

“I’ll walk you ot to your car.” Stepping aside allowing her to walk ahead.

He didn’t give her any room to argue or didn’t seem in the mood too. She didn’t want have to owe him or anybody for that matter. So maybe she could ask Charlie or better yet Angie how much it cost and she would drop off the money when he wasn’t there.

She nodded and headed out towards her car and he went to open it for her. She gazed up into his eyes and her breath hitched in her throat as he was staring right back without hesitation.

“I put the Freon in it too, turn it on and you can tell the difference.” He instructed her.

She sat down in her seat and put her keys in and bringing it back to life. She adjusted her temperatures and it was almost instant she could feel the icy cold blast against her skin, sending goose bumps along her arms. She closed her eyes letting it blow against her face as smile of relief creeped over her lips.

She looked back at him.” I really appreciate this.”

He nodded his head before taking hold of the door and closing it shut for her with a tap of her hood. He turned back to the shop. Toya watched from her rearview as he walked off and caught herself longing for him to look back.

In which he did.

She grinned to herself.

Toya pushed her gear into drive and rolled slowly out towards the exit, stopping just before the street as she waited for a clear break back into traffic. As she looked up and down the street, suddenly a white van came screeching onto flowing traffic, full speed. She looked on as a black truck followed closely behind followed by gun shots.

It happened so fast and also in slow motion. She could see the flying bullets scattering random car windows that was in its path. She could see Charlie hanging out of the window of the white van, shooting back at the mysterious truck. As they forged forward closer and closer a bullet went straight through the back window of a car going past her and hit the driver in the back of the head splattering blood everywhere.

She opened her mouth and could feel the blood shrieking scream leave her mouth, but she couldn’t hear it. She pressed her hands so tightly to her ears that she let go of the wheel and drew her legs instinctively towards her body forgetting her foot to remain on the park. The car rolled out onto incoming traffic.

A car sped towards her in attempt to get out of the line of fire and clipped the tail end of her car, sending her spin out towards the other end of the street. She screamed and screamed not knowing whether to steer her car or keep her head down in fear of catching one of those stray bullets herself.

All she could think about was the death of her parents, she didn’t want to go out like her parents. She couldn’t leave Damion behind to bury his sister. She hit the break, with her head still down and hands over her ears. She prayed for the best.

Justin turned his head to bullets and screeching tires. He nodded to his men as everyone broke out in all direction. Some to fetch the guns, some to gather all the innocent bystanders and some towards the gate of the garage waiting for Charlie’s van to come flying inside so they could quickly shut them off.

As one of his man returned with his gun, he cocked it as he made his way to the gate just in time to hear a scream. He looked up to see Toya’s car flying off into traffic and went spinning after a car crashed into the back of rear end.

His body took flight, taking off running at full speed while sending out orders,” Cover me!”

 

 

 

 

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2712