Standing In Front Of You by ialwayzbesingin
Summary:

  photo standinginfrontofyouban_zps9555eeb4.jpeg

When things seem to be falling apart during the holidays, it takes a true friend to pick you back up again.  But sometimes there's more feelings, standing there, right in front of you.  Making it work in the end though, is the ultimate challenge.

For my Secret Santa Hollie. 

Check out the soundtrack for this story here:  https://play.spotify.com/user/1293431286/playlist/6jSfpdbkmjzkxKJmJ0ZEHh


Categories: Challenges, In Progress Het Stories Characters: Justin Timberlake
Awards: Season 8
Genres: Alternate Universe, Drama, Humor, Romance
Challenges: Secret Santa Challenge 2014
Challenges: Secret Santa Challenge 2014
Series: None
Chapters: 38 Completed: No Word count: 116777 Read: 24459 Published: Dec 20, 2014 Updated: Mar 03, 2016

1. Chapter 1 by ialwayzbesingin

2. Chapter 2 by ialwayzbesingin

3. Chapter 3 by ialwayzbesingin

4. Chapter 4 by ialwayzbesingin

5. Chapter 5 by ialwayzbesingin

6. Chapter 6 by ialwayzbesingin

7. Chapter 7 by ialwayzbesingin

8. Chapter 8 by ialwayzbesingin

9. Chapter 9 by ialwayzbesingin

10. Chapter 10 by ialwayzbesingin

11. Chapter 11 by ialwayzbesingin

12. Chapter 12 by ialwayzbesingin

13. Chapter 13 by ialwayzbesingin

14. Chapter 14 by ialwayzbesingin

15. Chapter 15 by ialwayzbesingin

16. Chapter 16 by ialwayzbesingin

17. Chapter 17 by ialwayzbesingin

18. Chapter 18 by ialwayzbesingin

19. Chapter 19 by ialwayzbesingin

20. Chapter 20 by ialwayzbesingin

21. Chapter 21 by ialwayzbesingin

22. Chapter 22 by ialwayzbesingin

23. Chapter 23 by ialwayzbesingin

24. Chapter 24 by ialwayzbesingin

25. Chapter 25 by ialwayzbesingin

26. Chapter 26 by ialwayzbesingin

27. Chapter 27 by ialwayzbesingin

28. Chapter 28 by ialwayzbesingin

29. Chapter 29 by ialwayzbesingin

30. Chapter 30 by ialwayzbesingin

31. Chapter 31 by ialwayzbesingin

32. Chapter 32 by ialwayzbesingin

33. Chapter 33 by ialwayzbesingin

34. Chapter 34 by ialwayzbesingin

35. Chapter 35 by ialwayzbesingin

36. Chapter 36 by ialwayzbesingin

37. Chapter 37 by ialwayzbesingin

38. Chapter 38 by ialwayzbesingin

Chapter 1 by ialwayzbesingin
December 22, 2014

10:45am

New York Supreme Civil Court

60 Centre St, New York, NY


“I’m in court,” I hiss the words while gazing back at my reflection.  My complexion is a drained, ghost white color.  I feel like I’m going to be sick.

“It’s been a month, Maggie.  I need you to come get your stuff, and you’ve been avoiding my phone calls.  I mean, I get it, but we need to be adults about this.”

Adults?  Is he kidding me? I press my iPhone closer to my ear and harshly rub my face with my free hand.  “This is why you’re calling me?”

“I didn’t know you were in court,” he sighs.  “How about I call you later?”

I’m silent.

“Or maybe you can stop by after work and get the boxes.  I think that would be the easiest solution to all of this, don’t you?”

“Why?” I let out a disgusted chuckle.  “Is it more convenient for you? Is she working tonight, out with her girlfriends or something?”

“Come on, Maggie.  Are we going to do this right now?”

“Hey, you’re the one who called.  But I guess I’m used to you turning everything around on me.”

“Look,” he snaps.  “I don’t care if you come tonight or not, but come January I fully intend on getting a place of my own.  If the rest of your stuff isn’t out of here by New Year’s, I’m putting it in the trash.”

“Fine, Hunter.”

“I need the ring back too."

He hangs up on me.

I raise my phone in the air, ready to throw it at the mirror, but then decide against it in case my boss needs to get in touch with me.  I grit my teeth instead, and shove the thing back in my purse.  Then I run the faucet, my hands shaking as I scoop up the cold water and splash it on my face.  I splash more and more until I feel like I can walk out there, composed, and face my client.

I don't get more than two steps before I have to turn and throw up in the toilet, sobbing as I flush my anxieties away.

That bastard. 

My phone dings, letting me know I have a new text message.  I hesitate.  I’m nearly back together again, and I can’t take another message from him, explaining just why it is that he wants to love someone else instead of me.  I pull my phone out after a moment.  I can never be too careful, because if its my boss and I don’t answer, I’ll be in for it when I return to the office. 

Timberlake:  Did they come back yet?

I sigh with relief.  At least it’s him.  At least I can try and forget about Hunter for a little while.

No, we’re still waiting.

Timberlake:  Hunter called looking for you before.  I told Shelby to tell him not to call your cell.  He didn’t, did he?


I run a hand through my hair.  I don’t want to answer him, because when I do, he’s just going to ask me more questions, and I can’t break down again.  I have to get back to work.

At the same time though, I can’t lie to him.  I’ve never been able to.

He called, but can we talk about it later? I have to get back out to the client before the jury returns.

Timberlake: Sure.  You’re okay though, right?

I’m not.  It’s the only thing I won’t admit right now.  It's a question that doesn't have to be asked, because he knows I've been a wreck for months.  I guess he's just very worried.  Hunters call set off alarms inside of him, and I'm sure he's been sitting at his desk since since then, staring at his phone, waiting for me to tell him if the bastard actually got in touch with me.

I’ll survive the rest of the day.


Timberlake: Happy hour. Tonight.  My treat?

Sure.

Timberlake: TTYL Good luck with the jury :0)


Sometimes, I don’t know what I’d do without him.  I put my phone away, and give myself one more glance in the mirror before I head back to my client.

When I meet him in the hallway though, his mood is anything but pleasant.

“I don’t know if I’m confident in the closing remarks you’ve made today, Miss Dawson.”

“The jury was very attentive,” I say, trying to hide the nervousness in my voice.  “I'm confident that we proved our case, sir.”

“Because, as you know, we have the utmost confidence in Harrison and Fink.  I would hate to have to find another firm to conduct business with.”

“Yes, Mr. Garbin.  I understand, but I have no doubt that when they come back, we’ll walk away clean.”  I smile for him.

I’m sweating.  I never sweat.  Usually I know if I’ve won a case, and I haven’t lost since I was an assistant attorney at McMoorland and Klein, and that was a criminal defense case.  That was years ago too, when I was clueless and fresh out of law school.    

No.

No I won’t lose.  I can’t lose.  This is a multimillion dollar insurance case that I’ve worked my ass off on.  All my ducks are in a row, oh yes.  No room for failure here.

That’s what Barry always tells me during staff meetings.  “There’s no room for losers at this firm, Miss Dawson.”

Justin always exchanges glances with me and eventually looks up at the ceiling.

He’s never lost a case either, but he’s a legacy.  His father’s father’s father was a lawyer.  It’s in his blood.

I’ll make partner before Justin Timberlake or die trying.  He knows it’s my goal too, but it doesn’t phase him.  He’s not about the partnership.  I tell him all the time that he’s out of his mind, and he just tells me that he has his reasons.  He doesn't like to get into those reasons with me.  Despite how close we've become, there's still this part of him that's so private.

But I can’t think about that right now.

The Bailiff sticks his head out of the courtroom.  “They’re back.” 

I draw in a long breath and stand up, straightening out my skirt before leading my client back into the large courtroom.  I see the attorney for the other side sitting at his desk, smiling up at me, as if he knows how fucking scared I am right now.

No, I’m not confident in my closing remarks either.  I got jittery back there in front of the panel.  Normally I’m calm cool and collected, have them eating out of the palm of my hand, but not today.  Lately I’ve been distracted, with good reason, but still, there’s no room for that at Harrison and Fink.  I steer around what’s been going on at home, because I know my bosses don’t give two rat craps that my fiancé is currently living with some other woman in the Brooklyn apartment we saved for and leased together, or that I’ve moved into a barely affordable studio with shitty insulation and a roach problem.

Justin says I should have thrown him out, but I just wanted to get away from the situation, and leaving was the easiest thing I could have done, in the end.

“All rise.”

We honor the bailiffs orders and the judge enters the courtroom, taking a seat on his leather throne before looking out at the courtroom.  I’ve worked with this particular judge several times.  He’s always respected me and the practice I work for, but today the look I’m getting from him is telling me I’m losing my touch.

I am.  I’ve been going down hill for the better part of six months.

“It’s considerably shitty,” Justin said to me during happy hour the other night.  “But Mags, you can’t let it stop you now.   You’ve worked too hard.  Fuck, everybody knows you live at the firm. ”

He was right. He usually is.

I can’t help it.  I’ve always been with Hunter, I never considered anybody else because I was so caught up in him. We met in law school, and when we graduated, he moved here with me.  We were together eight years, and I never pictured life without him until now. When I wake up in the morning, I feel a little more lost than the previous day.  My mind swims with a million memories of us.  I can’t shake it.  I can’t stop loving him, and that just makes me certifiably fucking insane.  Hunter dropped me like a bad habit, and there’s no reason why I should be clinging to the memory of our relationship like I have been.  It’s a miracle I’m able to sit in this court room right now, let alone address a panel of jurors.  I’m constantly lightheaded, I only sleep a couple of hours a night.  I feel weak, and I don’t eat enough.  I drink too much. I alienate myself from my family, and people in general.

Well, besides Justin.

“Be seated.”

I plunk down into the chair.  My client narrows his eyes at me and frowns as if he’s sorry I was ever appointed to represent Mulligan Insurance.  I quickly look away from him and pour myself a glass of water, chugging it down in a completely un-lady like manner.

“Has the jury reached a decision?”

“We have.”

I’ve lost.  I know it even before the juror begins to read the decision out loud.  It’s the look they get in their eyes and the expression that falls on their face that tells you if you’ve failed.  It’s the same one, every single time.

“We, the jury, find for the plaintiff in the amount of seventy million dollars.”

I feel the clients gaze digging into my skull, but I can’t bring myself to look at him. I know it’s my fault.  Nobody has to say anything.  I’m done for.

Finished.
*****************
December 23, 2014
8:25 am
Harrison & Fink, Attorneys at Law

598 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY

You blew it Mags


With a whap, my briefcase hits the desk and I collapse down into the chair.  I won’t cry.  No, I can’t, not at the office.  I wish I could though.

Because I fucking blew it.

This case was supposed to seal my fate.  They were counting on me, Barry and Lawrence.  They told me if I ever wanted to become partner, this was the case that would make me worthy of the title in their eyes.

I thought I had it all together, but I really didn’t.  Once I realized what Hunter was doing all those nights he said he was working late, I started to slip more and more until I'd dug myself into a hole so deep there was no coming back.  I was in denial.  I wish I could have been smarter.

I blew Justin off for happy hour last night, gave him some lame excuse that I was tired.  I knew he didn’t believe it, but he didn’t push me.  He talked to me about the case over the phone for awhile instead.  He told me it was a risk, even taking it on.  Both of us knew from the beginning I guess, that Barry or Lawrence should have handled this one.  Justin was actually offered it first, but turned it down.  He told me that he knew better, that his father had taught him better than that.  The thing is, I don't have a legacy of family members to ask for advice.  I've only had myself and my gut instinct ever since I can remember.  That instinct was telling me the partnership would be mine if I won.  So, I took the case, while Justin wouldn’t have put his promotion in jeopardy for the world.  I figured taking a risk would make me look better, but all that’s done is probably lost me my career.  Hell, I’m about to lose everything, and for what?

I sat alone in my apartment last night with those same thoughts, a bottle of wine at my side and a big ass glass, attempting to drink my sorrows away.  It didn’t help.  The only thing I woke up with this morning was a killer hangover and no hope for the future.

Fuck.

I want to disappear.

I groan into my hands and lean forward, putting my head down on the desk.  It’s pounding.  I start to feel sick again.  I spent a good part of this morning with my arms wrapped around my toilet bowl, but I can’t do that here.

Life as I know it, is over.  Completely over.

“Miss Dawson?”

No.

“Miss Dawson?” Our assistant, Shelby, whispers it even softer this time.

“Hm.”

“Mr. Harrison and Mr. Fink want you in their office right away.”

I don’t respond, and after a few moments, I hear her shuffle away.  Yes, I know they want to see me.  They’re going to fire me.  I’m a wreck.  How the hell can I go in there, and face them like this?  I’ll break down, show my weakness, and they’ll tell me I’ve lost my mind, that I’ll never work another case in my lifetime.

I sit up and spot the picture on my desk from the corner of my eye.  Hunter and I, last Christmas in front of the Rockefeller Center tree.  We looked good then, smiling, carefree.  I forgot to toss it, or maybe…I've stupidly been holding on to the memory.  It’s like the things that are still at the apartment.  I’ve left them there, foolishly hoping that he would decide to come around, but it’s been a month since I moved out and he’s not coming back to me.  He fell in love with someone else, and it's time to accept that.  I flip the picture face down.  Christmas is only a few days away.  I should be happy right now.  I’ve worked hard to get where I am, and make a decent living.  I just…all I do is work, I guess.  Maybe that’s why Hunter did what he did.  Maybe I stopped making time for us a while ago and he couldn’t take it anymore. 

It’s my fault…I mean, it has to be.  It’s been easier though, not having anyone to answer to.  Now I can work weekends and holidays without repercussions.  I came in on Thanksgiving and not a soul seemed to care.  Justin tried to talk me out of it the day before, but when I wouldn't give in, he simply wished me luck and went home to celebrate with his family  There are no more fights now, no more rushing around to please Hunter.  The only thing on my agenda after work is usually happy hour drink specials with Justin, if he has the time to spare.

It’s fine this way.  If I get to keep my job, I can come in Christmas morning and start putting things together for the new year.

It will work out.

It has to work out.

I walk out of my office, head held high as I head toward the other side of the firm.  Justin’s office is on the way, and he’s standing outside his door, coffee in hand, giving me a pitiful look before standing in my path so I can’t get by him.

“I have a meeting with Barry and Lawrence,” I sigh.

“You should skip it.”

“Do you think I want to go?” I chuckle.  “I lost seventy million dollars for one of their best clients yesterday.  I’m finished.  I don’t feel like being reminded of that again, but I don’t have a choice.”

“You’ve been distracted.  Everyone is allowed a slip now and then.”

I narrow my eyes at him and he looks away from me and down at the floor.  As one of the best lawyers in the business, he knows what he just said was a load of crap.  There’s no room in any firm for this big of a loss.  He’s just trying to be my friend, and I'm thankful for him.  If nothing else, he’s helping me to maintain what’s left of my sanity.

He’s my only friend, and I’m going to miss him when I’m gone.

“I have to go,” I tell him.

He sighs, but doesn’t hesitate to give me a quick hug.  “You’ll be…you’ll be fine. They have to give you one more chance.  Probation or something, you know?  I even told them yesterday…they should think about what the firm would be losing before they finalize anything.”

I pull away and feel the tears pushing from behind my eyes but don't allow them to escape.  After a moment, I'm finally able to look him in the eye.  “You talked to them?”

He smiles.  “Of course.  I gotta defend you.  You’re the best chick that’s come out of Harvard Law in a long time.”

I feel myself smile just slightly.  He’s sweet, probably the only person that could make me feel a little better today.  Regardless, I can’t cling to the hope that the partners have taken what he said seriously.  They’re businessmen, and they don’t play around.  “It was really awesome of you to do that, Justin, but you shouldn’t have.  You know how Barry and Lawrence are.  When something goes wrong, they’re out for blood, and  I’ve accepted the inevitable.  There’s nothing anyone can do.”

“Hunter’s a mother fucker,” he mutters.  “He messed you up.  No one should blame you for losing that case.”

I shrug.  “I’ll see you after.”

He just nods, and sips his coffee as he walks back inside his office.  I hear him on the phone within seconds and know he’s gone back to work.  He deserves to make partner.  He really does.  I may work a million hours and come in on ungodly days to do extra work, but Justin is so much smarter at this game than I’ll ever be.  He knows the tricks of this business better than anyone I went to law school with, and he can take on the most difficult cases that come into the firm.  He wins them all, he’s the golden boy, but yet…somehow, we’ve become friends instead of two lawyers constantly at war with one another.

I was a fool to think I could ever be better than him, and the thing is…I can’t even be jealous of him, because he’s such a nice guy.  Most lawyers are sharks, do what they can to stab you in the back and make themselves look better than everyone else at the firm.  Justin is so different.  He went to bat for me and told the bosses they should give me a chance to prove myself.  I was brand new to the firm then, and getting grunt work cases.  I still don’t get why he did it, or why he still feels compelled to defend me in a situation like this.

I probably never will.

I feel my stomach flip flopping as I turn down the hallway that leads to Barry and Lawrence’s office.  Their secretary, Vivian, greets me with a tight smile when I reach her desk, and she instructs me to sit and wait until they’re ready for me.

I already know how angry they are.  They only make you wait when they’re pissed.  That way, you’ll be that much more unhinged when it’s finally time to face them.

Shit. 

Should I just leave now? Save myself the trouble?

“Maggie.”

Barry Fink stands in the doorway.  Handsome for a man in his mid fifties, the kind smile he usually displays to me every week is non existent, and I know how this is going to go.  Still, I get up from the chair and walk towards him with my head held high.  The last thing I want to do, is become hysterical before they’ve even talked to me.

“Good morning, Barry.”

He nods, and allows me to walk past him into the office.  I see Lawrence sitting behind his large Mahogany desk.  He barely acknowledges me.

Then the door closes, and I’m trapped in here with them.

“Have a seat, Maggie,” Lawrence finally says.

I do it automatically, and then Barry goes to stand beside Lawrence.  They both stare me down like I’ve murdered someone.  I wish so badly that Justin could be here with me right now.  At least they like him.  It might lighten the mood.

“Maggie, I don’t think we need to tell you why you’re in here,” Barry says gruffly.  “Yesterday was a travesty for this firm.  The first huge blow we’ve ever been dealt.  When we talked to you about taking the case, you understood what a big undertaking it was going to be.  We both advised you that there was no room for distractions.”

I nod.  “I…”

“Miss Dawson you have disgraced this firm,” Lawrence continues.  “You’ve nearly made us the laughing stock of the New York legal world.  This morning alone, I’ve had two other major clients we represent, threaten to leave.”

“But they didn’t leave?”

They just stare at me.

Wrong question, idiot.

“I don’t think that matters,” Barry says.  “Do you think it matters, Maggie?”

“No.”  I look down at my lap. 

Barry sighs. “Mr. Garbin told us you’ve seemed very out of touch the last couple of months.  When we asked him why he didn’t reach out to Lawrence or myself, he informed us that you constantly reassured him you were on top of the case.  He trusted our firm that much, not to ask questions.”

“You’ve compromised the integrity of this law firm,” Lawrence spits out.  “Frankly, it’s embarrassing.  I thought you had more common sense than this, Maggie.”

“I’ll pack my things.”  I get up and give them a tight smile.  “Thank you both for everything. I appreciate the experience I’ve gotten here.”

“Nobody said you were fired, Maggie,” Barry says, and I see a slight smirk appear on his lips.  “We were going to fire you, but…”

“We’ve reconsidered,” Lawrence says, still glaring at me.  “For the time being.”

“Reconsidered?”  I sink back down into the chair before I collapse.

Are these two for real? They’re letting me keep my job?

“Mr. Timberlake seems to think we would be making a huge mistake, letting you go, and he has put his job on the line to ensure you won’t lose yours,” Lawrence explains.  “We trust him, and so, we’ve decided to extend you a probationary period.  We’ll give you a few small civil cases, and let you assist Justin with his case work, until we feel you are ready to handle your own caseload again.”

“I…well, thank you.”  I can barely get the words out, I’m so fucking shocked.  But Justin? His job is on the line?  “Um, when you say Justin’s job is on the line…”

“It means, Miss Dawson, that if you lose the firm more money, you’ll both be out of a job.  That was the deal he made with us,” Barry explains.

“Tread lightly, Miss Dawson,” Lawrence says cooly.  “Get back to work.”
 
I swallow hard.  “Yes…yes sir.”

I walk out of the office as fast as I can, and shut the door behind me.  I take advantage of the solitude of the hallway and lean back against the wall, letting out the breath that I’ve been holding.  Oh God, Justin.

What the hell has he done?
Chapter 2 by ialwayzbesingin
December 23, 2014

10:00 am

Harrison & Fink, Attorneys at Law
598 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY


“Are you fucking crazy?”

She’s standing in my doorway, hair disheveled, panting harshly, like she’s just had really rough sex in one of the bathrooms.  I sigh.  “Let me call you back George.”

“What about the game?  Are you coming or what?”
 
I hang up on him.  No time for Rangers tickets right now.  “What’d they tell you?”  I grab my pen and tap it on the desk gently.

She closes the door and slowly makes her way towards my desk.  “You know what they told me.”

I lean back in my chair and smile for her, folding my hands behind my head like I couldn’t care less.

Am I scared? Hell yes, but I’d never let it show.  Not to her.  She needs someone to be confident right now, since her fiancé turned out to be such a fucktard.  Hey, it’s the holidays too, and nobody should have to be as miserable as she is, even if our bosses are jerks and our jobs are on the line.

I’m confident we’ll keep our jobs and be just fine.

“Look, it’s just a formality.  They told me if I wanted them to give you another chance, I would have to put my job reputation up as collateral.  It’s not a big deal Mags.  I’m smart and so are you.”

“You know they’ll fire you and not think twice about it.”

I laugh at her.  “We’re young.  There’s plenty of opportunity out there.”

She plops herself into the chair that’s in front of my desk.  “You really are crazy.”

“I wasn’t going to stand by and let them fire you.  Besides, I knew the case.  That insurance firm is corrupt as shit.  They deserve to pay out.”

“Corrupt or not it was still my responsibly to make sure we won.”

I shrug.  “It’s in the past now.”

“Justin--"

“Get over it.” I say it bluntly, harshly, because it’s the only thing that gets through to her these days.

She sits back and puts her hands over her face.  Then she starts to cry.

Oh God, Mags.

I remember when she first came here.  She’d been recruited from another firm.  I’d been with Harrison and Fink about a year, but she was fresh out of law school.  I could tell she was scared, and that I intimidated the hell out of her too.  Even then, I was really good.  The best, because I learned from the best.  I try hard not to be cocky about what I do, how many cases I’ve won, but when someone questions my integrity as a lawyer at Harrison and Fink, I’m smart enough to back myself up and prove myself worthy.  Really, this is the best law firm in the Manhattan.  Everyone knows that.  It’s also one of the hardest to get into.  But when your father is Benjamin Timberlake, most firms will hire you in seconds, foaming at the mouth and shaking your hand all the while.

It doesn't hurt that Barry Fink was my father's fraternity brother in college, either.  It's not a blessing by any means.  He tells my dad everything that goes on, and I'm always subjected to some lecture about how well I'm handling my cases whenever I have dinner with the family.  My dad doesn't want me to just succeed at law, he wants my career to exceed his. So far I haven't let him down in that sense, but I've always toyed with the idea of losing a big case on purpose, just to shove it in his face that nobody can be perfect all the time.  Failure isn't built in to my DNA though.  I can't make myself do it.

I knew Maggie Dawson didn't have the same advantages that I did.  She needed guidance, had gotten hired by sheer luck coming out of Harvard, and after I got to know her, I didn’t want to let her drown,even if it could have meant not getting partner.

That’s not what I want my life to be about anyway.  So many lawyers center their careers around making partner, including Maggie, and most of the time, it’s barely worth it.  You give up a good chunk of your social life all for the sake of bragging rights and a bigger paycheck.  I grew up around it.  My father worked night and day to make partner at his firm when we were kids. When I was home from school, I barely saw him.  I never wanted to do corporate litigation, and at times, I was reconsidering going into the practice at all. I’m a pretty decent cook, and for awhile I considered culinary school, but Benjamin never would have tolerated that from his only son.  I was enrolled in law school before I even knew what it was.  

Working as a corporate lawyer has it’s perks of course, and I have no reason to complain.  It’s very lucrative, and if you get in with the right firm, you’re able to work with only the best politically corrupt companies and executives.  While I defend my clients to the ends of the earth, I hate ninety five percent of them.  I only hate my bosses sixty percent of the time.  I guess that’s why I’m still here.

Well, that, and the great company car doesn’t hurt either.  This year its a Ferrari 612 in glossy black, an upgrade because I won that big case for the firm last year.  I like to take it around the backroads by my house and work out the engine.  My nephew, Tyler, thinks its the coolest thing ever, but my sister won’t let him ride in it with me unless we are on public roads and highways, after I’ve all but signed a contract to obey the speed limit.

“You gotta stop crying.”

“I can’t,” Maggie groans.  “You just…you can’t just put your future at risk because I was stupid.”

“You’re not stupid, and my future isn’t at risk.” I sigh, and get up from my chair, coming around the desk so I can stand by her side.  “Mags,” I rub her shoulder consolingly.  “I’m smart, okay?  I know what I’m doing.”

It takes her a couple of minutes, but she stops sobbing long enough to wipe her eyes and look up at me.  “I thought I was smart too.”

“You are smart.  You’re as smart as I am.  Maybe even smarter.  My fiancé didn’t just break up with me though.”

“You don’t have a fiancé,” she croaks.

“True,” I chuckle.  “But even if I did, and even if she left me, I would have to realize that it wasn’t worth my integrity, dwelling on it.  Come on huh? It’s the holidays.  Fuck Fink and Harrison.  Do you think they’re letting this case ruin their Christmas? I mean, I’m pretty sure Fink just signed a deal on a new ranch for those stupid horses his wife dresses up in those parades. It’s her Christmas gift.  He took me out to a business lunch Tuesday and it was all he talked about.”

“She dresses them up?”

“Yeah.  Little hats and decorative saddles, things like that.  He showed me pictures, told me that it was a good investment for a side business.  Do you think I should look into it?”

We stare at each other for several moments, and then burst out laughing.

I know I’m the only one that could get her to laugh at a time like this, and she’s the only one I would put my job on the line for.  I guess that makes her my best friend, and it's weird to label her that way since I don't keep friends, just colleagues.

Even so, deep down, I’ve always wished it could be something more.  

I’ve never told her, but I think she’s beautiful, and Hunter doesn’t know what he lost.  She hits me in a place that no woman ever has.  When she’s around I forget about the woman I went on a date with last week, and my latest conversations on match.com (the subscription was a birthday gift from my sister).  She makes me laugh, makes me forget the stupid crap that Lawrence spouted off to me in some email, or the grief a client gave me the day before about something completely fixable.  

Here, now, I realize all I need is her to keep me happy.

But I can’t tell her that.  She’s too damaged and she’s still in love with fucking Hunter.

My sister asked me what I wanted for Christmas the other day.  She has it narrowed down to a deluxe detail service for the Ferrari or a cool new pair of sneakers.

But if I could, I’d only ask for one thing this year.

Maggie Dawson.
Chapter 3 by ialwayzbesingin
December 23, 2014

7:30pm

Le Bernardin

155 West 51st Street, New York, NY


She’s really beautiful.  Long, flawless legs, flowing brown hair that falls perfectly at her shoulders.  Her smile is contagious, and she has a really soothing tone to her voice. I should be enjoying my date tonight, and thank my father tomorrow for setting me up with one of his colleagues daughters.

But I can barely focus.

She’s talking about a project she’s working on at the office.  She works for BuzzFeed, which is kind of cool.  I love watching all the videos they put out, but at this moment, I can’t remember what she told me the project is all about.  My mind is constantly drifting from our conversation.  I keep thinking about the way I left Maggie earlier.  It was happy hour at Mercury Bar, our favorite place to have a drink after work.  Denise, our waitress of choice, even set us up with some really cool holiday cocktails and a couple of on the house appetizers as a Christmas gift, since we’re always there on her nights.  None of it got Maggie to smile.  She’s miserable.  

She’s miserable and it’s Christmas.  I’d give anything to help her, but I have no clue what I’m supposed to do.  I can’t make Hunter love her again, and frankly, I don’t want that asshole anywhere near her.  If I see him, I might punch him in the face, and that wouldn’t be very holly jolly.

“I’ll stay.” I motioned Denise over, prepared to order another round of holiday concoctions for us.  “I don’t need to go on this date.”

“It’s a date.  You need to go.  There’s no reason why you should stay single forever, you’re too nice of a guy.” She managed a half smile for me, before she focused back on her empty glass.  

“They’re all the same, Mags.  Boring, superficial.  I don’t click with any of them.”

“You must click with someone.” She rolled her eyes.  “You’ve been on countless dates since I’ve known you.  There was that one you were with for like a month right? Cindy…Shera—“

“Cheryl.”

“Right.  What happened to her?”

“Weird tits.  Pointy ones.” I smirked and took a drink.

“You’re stupid,” she said it, but it still got her to laugh, and I joined in.

I knew who I clicked with,  I knew who I wanted my next dinner date to be with, but as I stared back at her, I couldn’t get the fucking words out.  It was probably my best opportunity to tell her how I felt too.

But I chickened out.  I always chicken out when it comes to her.  My heart pounds, my throat gets really dry, and my tongue seems to get all twisted up where I can’t speak for at least ten minutes.

“What can I get you guys now?” Denise smiled brightly.

“Another round.”

“No,” Maggie protested.  “We’ll just take the check.”

Denise laughed slightly and glanced nervously between us.  

“Seriously, another round.” I smiled for Maggie and nudged her.

“I’m telling you, we’ll take the check,” she gritted it at Denise.

I knew she wasn’t going to tolerate me canceling the date for her sake, so I decided to back down.  “Yeah, the check is fine.”

Denise nodded slightly, and walked off.

“Mags—”

“I’ll be fine, Justin, okay?”  Maggie swept her hair out of her eyes and licked her lips, but wouldn’t meet my gaze.  “You’ve already done enough for me, and I’m finished wreaking havoc on your holiday season.”

“You’re not—“

She threw some bills down on the table.  “I’ll see you tomorrow.  Just go, or you’ll be late.”

I sighed.

“Go, Justin.”

So I did.

I could kick myself, because I have no idea where she wound up.  She shouldn’t be alone.  Tomorrow is Christmas eve, and despite the fact that she and I will both make an appearance at the office, I know I’ll leave in the early part of the afternoon and she’ll end up staying late into the night.

There's no denying she's going to be alone on Christmas.  The very thought makes my heart ache.  I’m not a real romantic.  At least, I don’t consider myself one.  I just…care about her.  I really do.  I always have.  Something inside, has been holding out for her all these years.

That could explain why I don’t click with any of these women that I meet for dinner.  Hard as I try, I can't find anyone that compares to her.

“Is everything okay?”

My dates voice catches my ears and I snap to attention.  “Yeah, everything is great.” I flash my ‘lawyers smile’, the one I show to reassure clients that they can trust me.  “You want some more wine?”

She glances at her half full glass.  “I think I’m okay.”

She knows I’m not interested in our conversation.  I can tell it’s pissing her off.  She probably spent an hour getting ready for this date, because my father talked me up really well to her father, made me sound like some kind of dream date.  I feel like a jerk, because any other guy would have been totally immersed in conversation with a beautiful woman like her by now.

I’m completely bored though.  I always am.  It’s always the same thing.  I’m not into model types, and that’s always who I end up with.  I like a casual woman who knows how to kick back and have a good time, a woman that isn’t afraid to stuff her face.  Someone real, I guess.

She’s not the one.  I knew that when I agreed to the date.  I should stop doing that.

“I’m sorry,” I sigh, and take my wallet out.  “I just…I’m distracted, and it’s not fair to you.” I throw some bills down on the table.  “Order whatever you want.  It was nice to meet you.”

“You’re just going to leave?”

“Pretty much.”

I’m such a jerk.

She starts ripping into me, calling me every name under the sun, tells me how she’s going to make sure my father knows what a jerk his son turned out to be.  I couldn’t care less about Benjamin’s opinion, so I barely pay attention to her outbursts.  Instead, I walk away from the table, and out of the restaurant.  After hailing a taxi, I immediately call Maggie, just to check in with her.  

When she doesn’t answer, alarms go off inside of me.  

I direct the driver to take me to Penn Station, and I grab the first subway to Brooklyn.  I’ve only seen her new place once, when I took that weekend and helped her move some of her stuff into it.  Despite how much of a wreck she was, the smile stayed on her face for me the whole time, and when we were done, she told me how thankful she was to have someone like me around.  

It was another time that I could have told her how I felt, but didn’t.

What’s stopping me?  Am I afraid of her, or just afraid that I might be in love and not sure if she could ever love me back?  It’s probably the latter.  I know if I told her, and she told me that she didn’t feel the same way, it would crush me.

An hour later I arrive on her block, and I try to call her again.  There’s still no answer.  When I reach her building, I find her name on the set of doorbells and buzz her apartment.  I wait a good ten minutes, and she doesn’t answer then either.  I sigh, and reach for my wallet, producing the spare key tucked behind my bank card that she gave me for an emergency.

Is this an emergency?

Yes.

I unlock the door and take the elevator up to the seventh floor.  7C.  I knock.  “Mags?”  

No answer.

I press my ear to the door, and make out the distinct sound of a shower running. She’s either home and not answering or she left the water running this morning.  I take the chance that she’s actually inside, and open the door.  It’s a complete violation of her privacy, but I’m worried.  I can’t help myself.

I walk in.  The studio is as dismal as the day I helped her move in.  She hasn’t painted the stained white walls, and it’s drafty enough to make me shiver.  “Maggie.” I call out.

No answer.  Just running water.

I draw closer to the door that leads into the bedroom and bathroom.  Knocking and calling out her name doesn’t get her to answer either, so I enter.

The steam inside the bedroom is mind blowing.  I can tell the water has been running for hours.  My heart jumps up into my throat and I rush to the closed bathroom door.  “Maggie!” I pound on the door, wait exactly five seconds, and then push it open.

Jesus.

She’s there, in the tub, shower running with a wine bottle in her hand, fully clothed, soaking wet, and passed out cold.  “Maggie.”  I go to the side of the tub and grip her by the shoulders, shaking her.  “Maggie wake up.”  I reach out and turn the shower off.

“Maggie!”

Her eyes open a crack, and she groans.  

I take the bottle from her, sighing when I realize it’s empty.  “C’mon.”  I lift her into my arms, and awkwardness ensues immediately.  I don’t know what else to do though.  I can’t just leave her in the tub like this, all wet and drunk.

“Jus—“  She wraps her arms around my neck and leans her head against my chest as I carry her away.

“I’m going to help you change into some dry clothes, okay?”

“Mm.”

I put her down on the bed and immediately regret my choice when she starts to vomit all over her blanket.

“Shit.”

It’s disgusting.  Her vomit is the color of the wine, burgundy red, and it stinks to high heaven.  I wait for her to finish, and then I start to strip her out of her nasty clothes.  “I’m…I’m not going to touch you or anything.  I just want to help you change.”

“Touch me baby.”  She cackles, but gets interrupted by a harsh hiccup and a groan.  

I shake my head roughly, doing my best not to stare at her naked body after I slip the rest of her underwear off.  It’s impossible.

She’s beautiful, even now.  It takes all of my stamina not to reach out and touch her thighs, her breasts…


“Sit up for me.  Let’s get your shirt on.”

She sits up, but only because I’m supporting her from behind.  I struggle to get her arms through her sleeves, but once that’s accomplished, getting her pajama bottoms on is easy.  My fingers glide against her smooth as silk skin on the way up, and I start to sweat.

Stop it.

I put her on the bean bag chair in the corner of her bedroom and pull all of the bedding off, tossing it into the bathroom so we can figure out where to bring it for washing in the morning.  I put her back on the bed next, and find a spare quilt and toss pillow out in the main room of the studio to cover her with.  

“Better?”

Her eyes open a little wider and she nods.  “Little. Mmhm.”

“I’ll leave you a bucket and some water, okay?  Don’t drink anymore tonight.”

“Stay.”  She reaches out to me.

Is it the drunk part asking me, or is she really asking me?  Either way, I know I can’t turn her down right now, even if it’s the better choice.  The safer choice.  The one that will keep our friendship in tact.  “Okay.”

I strip down to my undershirt and boxers, draping my work clothes on the back of chair so they'll be somewhat fresh for the morning.  I make sure to grab the bucket and a couple of bottles of water, leaving them at her bedside, before I climb in beside her.  She snuggles up against my chest, and her lips curl into a sleepy smile  She’s content now, she feels safe.  I reach out and stroke her hair, and give her the softest kiss on the forehead.

She’s a wreck.

But I’m not going to let it ruin her Christmas.
Chapter 4 by ialwayzbesingin
December 24, 2014

6:30am

208 India Street, Brooklyn, NY


The sound of the alarm clock going off next to my ear literally annihilates me.  My brain is throbbing, or at least it feels that way.  Is that possible?  Can your brain throb, and if it can, is that a sign that you should seek medical attention? Should I be in the ER right now?  Is my brain going to start dripping out of my ears?

Get a grip, Mags

I drank too much last night.  That's right.  The bottle of Pinot did me in after I was half way through and I can't remember exactly when I finished it, or when I blacked out.  I remember feeling hot, and heading to the shower at some point, but I don't remember taking my clothes off.  

Wait.

Did I fall asleep in the shower?

My alarm clock is whacked into silence, but I'm not the one who did it.  Did I do it with my brain? Maybe it's not throbbing, but swelling.  Maybe the wine gave me super powers?

I must still be drunk.

I open my eyes more than just a crack.  The light filtering in through my window curtains makes my brain throb that much more, but I know I have to get moving.  It may be Christmas Eve, but we're always expected to come into the office for a few hours.  We usually get our bonus pay today.

I won't be getting a bonus, needless to say.

I sigh and attempt to turn over so I can look at the time.  I find that it's hard to move, partially because of the hangover, but there's more to it than that.  Something is pressed up against me.  It's warm and surrounding me at the waist.  Tangled in the covers.  Wow, I'm a mess right now.  I reach out to pull the comforter off of me, but I quickly realize it's not that at all when I feel warm flesh against my finger tips.

I scream.

"Whoa!"

"Get off! How the hell did you get in here you freak!"  I break away from the grasp this sicko has around my waist.  Oh my God a rapist.  It's not the best area of Brooklyn, but I thought my locks were a decent quality.

Did I forget to lock the door? No, I never do that.  He must have picked the lock, yeah.  Oh shit.

"I have mace!" I scream, frantically throwing open the drawer to my nightstand and retrieving the bottle.  "I'm not afraid to use it!"

"Maggie! What the hell! It's me!"

I turn, bottle raised in the air, aimed right at him.  It takes me just seconds to realize who it is, and I can't do anything else but lower my weapon and stare.

Justin is kneeling on the bed, holding his hand over his right eye where I probably just whacked him.  He's in his undershirt and boxer shorts.

What in holy hell is going on?

"Justin?"

"Good guess."  He groans and stumbles out of the bed.  

"What the hell are you doing here?"

He laughs slightly as he heads into the bathroom.  "You really don't remember anything from last night do you?"

I cautiously follow behind him, my breath quickening, my heart racing.  God, oh God...we didn't...we couldn't have...

Right?

"What should I remember," I croak, while he soaks his face with water from the sink.  My gaze lands on the pile of crumpled bedding in the corner.  I can see the vomit stains from the night before all over the comforter.  Great.

"You, drunk in the bathtub.  Me, getting your act together for you."  He turns the water off and wipes his face with a nearby towel.  "I came by because you weren't answering your phone, and when you wouldn't come to the door, I decided to use the spare key you gave me to check on you.  It's a good thing I did.  You were passed out in the tub with your clothes on, and probably would have let that shower rain down on you all night."

"I'm dry." I feel my cheeks burning.  I couldn't have possibly gotten undressed by myself, I know I was that much of a mess.

He sighs and clears his throat.  "I helped you change.  It was quick and I didn't touch you...or anything.  It's what any decent friend would have done."

"You went on a date though.  I remember that.  I remember telling you to go."

“Yeah well, I went, but I ditched her."

"Why?"

"I wasn't interested."

"So you took an hour subway ride here instead?"

"You didn't answer your phone, and I was worried about you."

"Why?"

"I need a reason? You're a friend of mine.  A good one."

"I was naked?"

"For a minute."

"You saw me?"

"Mhm."

"But we didn't--"

"No...I never would have...just...nothing happened, okay?"  He looks away from me and scratches the back of his head, an obvious sign that he's uncomfortable.  "Once you were settled I was going to head out, but you asked me to stay, so I did."

"I asked you to stay?"

"Yeah, I mean, you were really drunk." He laughs at me.  "You've been in a bad place lately, and I didn't think leaving you alone last night was the best idea.  It didn't occur to me that you would wake up and think a serial killer had made his way into your bed.  I'm sorry that I scared you."

"No..." I shake my head.  It's not exactly strange, I guess I'm just surprised that Justin would do all of that for me.  He's my co-worker and pretty much my only friend now that I'm single.  We go out for drinks, occasionally we'll add dinner in, and he even helped me move my things into my new place when I left Hunter.  We've never taken our friendship beyond that though.  I never invited him to the parties that Hunter and I would throw at our place, and besides his numerous blind dates, he's never talked to me about what goes on in his personal life, what he does on the weekends, or who goes with him when he takes vacations.  I'd say we have a business friendship with a little casualness built into it, but that's all it's been.

Up until now, anyway.  

Would I do what he did for me last night?  Without a doubt, yes, and it concerns me, because I've never thought about it before today.

He's not just my only friend, he's my best friend.  

"What's the level of permanent damage," he smiles.  "Are we still going to be happy hour buddies?"

"There's no permanent damage done." I reassure him, forcing a smile even though it hurts my head to do it.  "Just---everything is normal right? With us?"

"Sure." He shrugs, but won't look me in the eye.  "Nothing is going to change, I just did you a favor.  That's it.  We don't have to linger on it, Mags.  You can repay me during happy hour next week.  Drinks are on you."

"Deal." I say it softly.  

We take turns showering and avoid any conversation that will lead back to the events of last night.  Justin helps me pack up my bedding so we can drop it off at the cleaners down the block, and we grab a quick round of coffee and pastries before catching the subway into Manhattan.  Despite my hangover, things become a lot less awkward as we laugh and joke about our bosses, case loads, and the craziest clients we've had this year.  This is the best part of our friendship, being able to vent to each other about work and life, and I'm so glad he's mature enough not to dwell on last night.  It was just a fluke, after all.  When the holidays are over, he'll resort to dating random women again and I'll go back to working triple overtime in hopes of pleasing the bosses.

Nothing will change.

"So what are you doing for Christmas? Do your folks live around here?" Justin asks, as we walk the twelve blocks from Penn Station to the office.  

This is the first year I haven't been so busy planning out the next few days with Hunter that I've had the chance to talk to Justin about my Christmas plans.  Over the last eight years, Hunter and I have switched off spending the holidays with my family and his.  I've always worked late Christmas Eve, and Hunter has physically dragged me out of the office by nine or ten o'clock at night so we could make the drive and arrive by morning to open presents.  

This was supposed to be the year with my family, naturally.  My mother has asked me every question under the sun about the reasons Hunter and I couldn't work out our problems, and I have yet to give her the perfect answers.  Meanwhile, my father has said that if I bring Hunter around again he's going to be sorry, and my perfect sister has just told me that I'll eventually find someone else.  I've told them more than once that I'll be staying in the city this holiday.  That I need time alone.  

Naturally they don't understand.  Christmas has always been a staple in our family.  I was raised in a traditional household.  My father and mother own their own Florist Shop in downtown Boston.  They've done the floral displays for many of Boston's most elaborate weddings, and when my sister and I were growing up, we never wanted for anything.  Still, the money they made was never enough to give me a full ride to Harvard.  Most of my education was paid for in grants and scholarships.  I was a damn workaholic in school, similar to how I am now.  I had a couple of girlfriends who were just as serious about school as me, but I never fit in with the popular kids.  That was my sister's specialty.  She was a cheerleader, homecoming queen, all of that.  I didn't go to my prom while she made hers into the event of the century, dragging my mom and I from one dress shop to the next.  She married her high school sweetheart too, and they have a perfect little existence in suburban Boston.  She stays home with the kids, while I bust my ass morning noon and night.  Things have always seemed to come easier for her.

I don't hate her though.  We just don't relate to each other well, and we've never been close.  We're more like acquaintances.  When I come home she barely reacts.  As for my niece and nephew, they're spoiled rotten to the core by her, their father, and my parents.  Nothing I seem to do for them is ever good enough, so I've simply stopped trying so hard and get them board games for Christmas instead.  When I was with Hunter, going home for Christmas seemed more enjoyable, I suppose, because he could keep the conversation flowing between us and my family.  I've never been good at that.  

My parents were so excited that I was going to get married and start a life like my sister.  It's silly, but I keep thinking that I've let them down.   I don't want to face them, or their questions about our breakup.  It's easier to just stay away this Christmas, and get myself together.

"My family lives in Boston, but I think I'm going to take the extra time and catch up on some paperwork," I finally say.  If nothing else, I owe him the truth right now.  

"That's a crappy way to spend a holiday."

I shrug, and take a sip of my coffee.  "It's just a day.  It's not the end of the world.  If I went home, all my parents would do is pester me about Hunter.  I'm not really in the mood."

"Yeah, but still, it's Christmas.  I doubt Hunter is spending it alone, or at work."

No, Hunter definitely won't be alone this Christmas.  He'll be with his love affair, forgetting about me, his would be fiancé.  I feel the emotions building up inside of me, refusing to go away, but I can't afford to fall apart right now.  Last night was a mess, and I'm trying to just...work through it so I can get back on top again.  

"Let me handle it how I need to, Justin."  We reach the building and I push my way through the revolving door, knowing he's right behind me.  "It's not your place to worry about me this much.  I'm sure you have a lot of great things lined up for tonight and the rest of the week, and I want you to enjoy them."

"I don't want to see you spend Christmas like that."  He stops in the middle of the lobby and gently pulls on my shoulder so I'll turn back to him.  “You don’t deserve it, Mags.  It’s the worst time of year to be on your own."

"I'm a big girl.  Besides, it’s a good opportunity to it show Fink and Harrison that I'm not giving up."

"Fink and Harrison don't care if you're here on Christmas.  It doesn't make a difference to them.”

"Justin," I sigh.  "Let it go."

"Come on--"

“What do you suggest I do?” I say it forcefully. “Sit alone in my apartment?  It’s not like I have anywhere else to go!”

He stares back at me for several moments.  The look in his eyes seems to want to tell me something...something more.  I feel the curiosity pulling at me, but that gaze of his quickly vanishes and is replaced with one of defeat.

“What is it?”

He shakes his head and miserably shoves his hands in his pockets. “I guess I'll just see you upstairs."

He walks away from me and I let him.  I don't get it.  He looked so defeated, like he'd just lost a battle with himself.  What kind of battle though, and why is it so important to him that I don't spend Christmas on my own? I'd ask him, but I feel like it would just make things even more awkward, and after last night, we can't afford it.  If we couldn't be friends anymore I think that would put the final stake in my heart, because he's the only one who listens, the only one who really understands me, now that Hunter is gone.

I need him.

I guess I never realized just how much, until now.
Chapter 5 by ialwayzbesingin
December 24, 2014

11:00am

Harrison & Fink, Attorneys at Law

598 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY


“I’m going for the gold and assuming your date worked out last night.”

“Why would you assume that?”  I cradle my cell between my neck and shoulder, only half with her as I skim through an email from a client.  

“Because you didn’t come home,” she giggles.  “You’re lucky I love you so much. Tyler was asking me all kinds of questions that I had to bullshit my way through.”

“It’s not what you think.”  I start typing out a response, my fingers clicking the keys harshly in frustration.

“What happened this time?”

She sounds disappointed, and I knew she would be.  Unlike most of the others, Fay knows this woman I tried to go on a date with.  My whole family does, actually.  Our parents are friends.  I’ve failed yet again, in their eyes, and it’ll be the top subject at Christmas dinner tomorrow.  

I stopped caring about my family's opinions after law school, my sister being the only exception.  We’re three years apart, but I’ve been close with her since the day my parents brought her home from the hospital.  Fay, my little baby sis, I can’t imagine life without her.

But I might have to start.

I completely avoid her question.  "Is he mad that I wasn't there to tuck him in?"

"You know Tyler's attention span," she laughs.  "He's focused on what he's going to get under the tree.  He's probably forgotten all about your little absence by now."

I love hanging out with my nephew.   When my sister and I were growing up, we were never home long enough to simply enjoy being kids, so I get to experience it through his eyes.  We both went to a prestigious boarding school in upstate New York, where we were taught to act like little adults.  Yes, our childhood was there during the summer and holidays, but even then, we were always expected to act a certain way.  Well behaved, and polite, never loud or playful, and we weren't allowed to ask for anything in front of company.

I didn't make friends easily.  I had acquaintances at school, but those relationships didn't extend beyond the classroom or study groups.  I didn't go out for lacrosse or the swim team, I buried myself in my schoolwork instead, and was quickly labeled as nerdy.  It turned me into a loner, but it was easier for me.  I guess it helped me to fall in love with the law when the time came.  It was my escape from how alienated I felt from my classmates and my parents.  My sister, on the other hand, fell in with the social circle at school because of who our father was.  She used it to her advantage, surrounded herself with as many people as she could so she wouldn't be lonely.  It never stopped us from being close.  We always made it a point to talk every week, and be our own little family, since our parents never seemed to have time for that.

It was really hard on her when I graduated and left to attend Yale.  Sometimes I blame myself for what happened next, but if it hadn't, I wouldn't get to spend all my time with Tyler and give him the carefree childhood I never had.

When she got pregnant at sixteen, it was the first time in our lives our parents realized she was still just a kid.  I was away at school in Connecticut, but my sister was allowed to come home and be privately tutored until the  baby was born.  After that, she was enrolled in an elite private school close to home, and was allowed to have a somewhat normal end to her adolescence.  Tyler was basically raised by our parents during that time, but when Fay graduated, she made sure to take full control of her son, and move the hell out of that house.  She started college courses, graduated, and started working as an executive marketing rep for a retail company.  

She was doing really well.  Her life was set, and I was so happy for her.  I get angry a lot these days.  I feel like she's been cheated, after struggling so hard between our parents and trying to raise Tyler without them butting in.  She tells me I shouldn't be, that sometimes life has a funny way of working out.

I just can't understand.  I'lll never understand.

"Enough about Tyler," she continues.  "You haven't answered my question.  What happened?"

“We just didn’t click, that’s all.  I wasn’t interested.”

“Okay, fine,” she laughs.  “But that still doesn’t explain why you didn’t come home.”

“I was helping out a friend.”  Damn it, I really don’t want to discuss Mags with her.  That friendship is the one thing I have that doesn’t involve my family whatsoever.  I know if it did, they would pester me about why I can’t find a nice girl like her to settle down with.

It’s not that I don’t want to settle down.  I just haven’t found anyone that captures my interest, or anyone I feel would understand my personal situation at home.  Maggie would understand, I know she would, yet…I haven’t told her what goes on at home, or why I sometimes have to cancel happy hour plans we made a week ago, at the last second.  I’m scared of revealing that to her, just like I’m scared of telling her how I feel.

It’s ridiculous.  I know she would listen, and she might even have good advice for me.

I’m just so protective of them, my sister and my nephew.  They’ve been through enough, and I’m trying to give them the best life possible, until the inevitable happens.  It’s really difficult, admitting it to myself.  I have a hard time coming to terms with the fact that my sister is terminally ill.  Some days she does so well that I forget how sick she is.  I start thinking she’ll be around to watch Tyler graduate high school, go to college, and start a family.

But then there are her bad days, the ones that immediately give me a reality check, the ones that prove she's declining rapidly.  I'm going to lose her and I'm so damn scared.  I don't know how I can move forward if she's not around.  She may be younger than me, but I’ve always admired her.

She’s the bravest person I’ve ever known.

“A friend?” The curiosity fills her voice.  “Justin, you don’t have friends.”

“I have friends."

“Really? Who am I, Mom? Tyler and your business colleagues don't count."

“It was a co-worker,” I grumble.  “Satisfied?”

“You’re not going to give me details are you?”

“No.”

“Fine.”

“So what happened at the appointment yesterday?  What’d they say?”

Fay was diagnosed with ALS, or Lou Gehrig’s Disease, just over a year ago.  It was so sudden,  we never saw it coming.  The symptoms started out simple enough not to make us think twice, but as they grew more intense, we pushed her to make an appointment with the doctor. She would come home from work, complaining of cramping in her hands and feet.  Some days, she would barely be able to get out of bed, and she fell a lot.  We all figured it was something that had an easy fix, a miracle drug or surgery that would rid her of the problem.  When the doctors said it was ALS, no one in my family was prepared to handle it, including me.  

She’s deteriorated rapidly since then.  First she lost feeling in one leg, then both, and she went into the wheelchair.  Her arms and hands have been acting up recently.  I finally broke down and got her into an electric wheelchair, because she can barely lift a book on her own, let alone push the wheels on a chair. Soon, both limbs will be useless just like her legs are, and she'll barely be able to function without help.  Once the disease spreads to her chest she’ll have to go on a ventilator.  Her speech is already affected.  She slurs on her bad days, and at times she has trouble swallowing. Once she went into the manual wheelchair,  my fathers solution was to put her in a high end care facility.  She and Tyler had been living with our parents then, because of the diagnosis.  He said it would be easier, as if tossing my sister into a home because she was sick was perfectly acceptable.

It wasn’t to me.

So I packed up Fay and Tyler, and moved them into my house.  I hired a nurse to stay with her five days a week while I’m at work, but I know Fay’s care is starting to turn into more than a one person job.  She going to need round the clock care in the matter of a couple of weeks.  While I’ve promised myself that I can do what Matilda can't…the more I see her decline, the more I have to accept that I can’t work, take care of Tyler, and tend to Fay too.  It’s impossible.

“It’s the next stage, Justin. We knew this was coming.  If it happens like they say, I’ll be completely dependent in the matter of a few weeks.  I won’t be able to eat or go to the bathroom on my own anymore.”

I focus on my computer screen, hard.  I don’t want to accept the news.  This is happening too fast.  Six months ago she was walking.  Walking with a cane, but still, she was walking.  When they said she would need to start using a wheelchair, I didn’t think much of it, but I was in denial.  I didn’t want to accept that my sister was getting worse, because if I did, it meant that her requests of me were very real, and I would be without her entirely too soon.

“Justin say something.”

I sniffle and blow out a long breath.  “It’s just some stiffness.  You have to build up more muscle in your arms.  It'll be okay.”

My denial is more than obvious.  I know better, or at least I should, by now.

“Dad says we should start looking into Verdan again.  Mom said it isn’t the worst choice.”

“Right.  I hope you told them that I’m not looking into fucking Verdan and that Dad should mind his own business, since he never wanted to deal with this from the beginning.”

Shit.  I hate when I slip with her.  She doesn’t deserve it, especially on Christmas Eve.  We’ve known for awhile that this might be her last at home with us.

“Don’t you think it will be better for Tyler,” she says gently, ignoring my outburst like she always does.  “He’ll be able to be in the house without the constant reminder of what I’m going through.  I don’t want him to see Matilda spoon feeding me, having to bathe me, or clean me up when I have an accident.”

“So I’m supposed to throw you in a home like an invalid?  I…I promised you I wasn’t going to let that happen. You deserve privacy and as much time with Tyler as possible.”

“No one is throwing me anywhere, Justin.  Verdan is the Four Seasons of care facilities.  I know what you promised, but you have a career.  It’s not fair for you to give up the rest of your life, because I’m sick.  Matilda can only work so many hours in a day.  If I don’t get around the clock care at Verdan, you’re going to have to pick up her slack.”

“Then I will! I don’t give a fuck about my career.  It doesn’t matter to me, Fay.  You and Tyler—that’s what’s important.  I’ll quit.  I can do legal work from home.”

“You don’t mean that, Justin.”  She sighs heavily.  “You’ve worked much too hard to quit now.  Dad is a hundred percent convinced you're going to get the partnership after the holidays."

"I don't want the fuckin' partnership," I grumble.

"I swear to God, paralyzed or not, I will find a way to kick your ass boy.  You've worked hard for this, and you deserve it."

“Fay,  I just... I can't think about that right now.  Don't you get it?  I..."  I trail off and rub my forehead.  "I'm having a hard time with this."

"I realize that, but you can't let it stop your life."

I've said those same words to Maggie more times than I can count.

Maybe I should be looking in the mirror, but then again, nobody she loves is this sick.

"Fay, I can take care of you, all right? I know—I know how much work it’s going to take.  I’ve been over it in my head a million times.  It seems impossible to get everything done between work and Tyler, but I’m willing to try.  You know I’ll try as hard as I can.”

“You can’t do it all, so just…stop trying to make yourself believe that you can.  It’s been months since you started taking care of me, and it’s been wonderful.  I don’t think I’ve been this comfortable, or hell…this happy, since we moved in with you.  But Matilda has her hands full now, it’s been getting harder for her to do the job, and Tyler can see that things are getting worse.  It’s confusing him.  We agreed from the beginning, that we wouldn’t put him through that.  You promised me.”

“I--I know…”  I trail off and bite down on my bottom lip, refusing to lose control of my emotions over the phone.  “We can get a second opinion, you know?  I mean, that doctor could be wrong.”

“He’s not wrong.  Justin, you’re smarter than this.  You’ve always been the logical one.  You knew this was going to happen eventually.  It’s foolish to live in denial.  I stopped that a long time ago.”

“They said it wouldn’t be this quick.”  I bite down on my knuckles, and then the tears force their way out of my eyes.  Shit.

Not here.  Not today.

“They never guaranteed that,” she reminds me.  “They said one to three years.  This is the worst case scenario, that’s all.  I drew the short straw, I guess.”

She laughs it off.

“How is this funny to you?”

“Do you want me to be hysterical?” She snaps at me, her real personality shining through the sickness.

I miss her already.

“No.”

“I’m done being a mess over it.  I want to spend the rest of my time at peace…with everything. They told me I could move into the facility in a few days if I felt the need.  We have to prepare for that.  We have to be ready to get Tyler through my absence if I have to be moved into Verdan on short notice.”

“It sounds like you’ve already made your mind up.”

“Justin I love you, and I’m grateful for everything you’ve done for Tyler and I, but I can’t continue to live in your house like this.  I…I refuse to. It’s a great house, but it’s not the most wheelchair friendly, and I’m tired of being carried upstairs to bed like a child. I’ve…I’ve already started the paperwork with dad so I can move into Verdan after the New Year.  I didn’t want to spring the news on Christmas Eve, but I guess I don’t have a choice, since you won’t see my side of this.  I want to put it out in the open right now, without Tyler knowing. This is my choice, and I’m not reconsidering.”

“After the New Year?”  I squeeze the bridge of my nose and close my eyes.  “That soon?”

“We’ll get through it to-gurth—-to-tath—“

She stops trying and is silent for several moments.  The slurring is back.  She’s been doing better with that.

“Fay?”

“She ooo a‘ome.”

“I’ll see you at home.  Can I talk to Matilda?”

“F-ain.”

She’s on the line within seconds.  

“Hello, Justin.”

“She’s slurring,” I whisper.

“She is.”

“Has she been bad today?”

“It’s not her best day.  She’s been stressed because of the visit to the doctors.  Getting in and out of the van yesterday really wore her out.  I think it has a lot more to do with that.  She has speech therapy the day after Christmas.  That may help.”
 
I rub my forehead, desperately trying to hold the rest of my tears back. “Can you make sure she eats something and gets some rest?”

“Of course.”

“Thanks.  I’ll be home as soon as I can.”

I end the call and sit at my desk for several moments, covering my face with my hands, trying like hell to rid myself of the misery that has built up inside of me.

My sister is dying.  It’s the first time I’ve ever faced it, head on.  She’s dying, and this will be my last Christmas with her.

I feel so fucking lost and alone.  I don’t know whether to scream, or cry, or just go on with my stupid career like nothing is happening.  I do it every day.  I hide how I feel about it.  It’s easier.  It’s easier to melt away into Mags, even though that’s not reality.

It’s sick, but she’s my escape.  If I told her that, she’d probably want to get far away from me.  That’s why I don’t tell her about Fay.  I don’t want her to think I’m using her for a shoulder to cry on.  I mean, I’m not…

She’s just like, the only fucking person I can talk to.  The only person.

Damn it.  I wish I could tell her.  I really do.

I shake my head roughly, and the smallest of sobs escapes me.

“Mr. Timberlake?”

I snap to attention.  Shelby, our assistant, is standing in the doorway, and I have no clue how long she’s been there.  I rub at my eyes harshly.  “Hey, yeah…I forgot my allergy meds. This weather…it’s been so up and down, you know?  It’s really messing me up.”

She nods slightly.  She doesn’t believe me, but she’d never admit that.  

“What is it, Shelby?”

“Mr. Fink wants you in his office right away.”

As if my holiday wasn't crappy enough.

“Thanks, Shel.”

She leaves quickly, and I take a few minutes to gather my thoughts, and turn back into put together Justin Timberlake that pleases everyone.  There’s no other choice.  There never is.  

I step out of my office finally, but nothing can prepare me for what I see.  There’s Maggie standing by the main entrance of Harrison and Fink.  She’s holding a bouquet of long stem roses, staring into the eyes of none other than her ex fiance.  The jerk that turned his back on her just months ago,  after an eight year relationship.

I’m staring at them, and I guess she realizes, because she glances over her shoulder after a moment.  She doesn't say a word, and neither do I.  Her eyes are wide, she’s freaked the hell out, and has no idea what to do.  Hell, I don’t even know why Hunter is trying.  

"Maggie, come on."  He tells her, trying to lead her to the doors.  

Whatever.  Of course she’ll go back to him.  She doesn’t know any better.

I shouldn’t care.  I have dates lined up into 2045.  I’ll find someone, eventually.

I don't wait to see if she follows him, I just walk away.  I have to just…walk away.  She’s a great friend, and that’s all she’ll ever be.  I have to focus.  Focus, Justin.  Focus on the bosses and Fay.  You can’t afford to do anything else.

I’m at their door within seconds, and Vivian tells me I can go right in. Thank God. One thing is simple today.

“Justin.”  Barry is sitting at the desk, but Lawrence is nowhere to be found.  I’m guessing he’s cut out early for the holiday.  For the amount of time I’ve put in, I should be able to do that too.

“Good morning, sir.”  I extend a professional handshake.  Normal procedure.  His smile doesn’t relent.  This guy has always loved me, mostly because of Benjamin, and I’m sure that’s the only reason Maggie still has a job.

I hope it’s been worth it, sticking my neck out for her.

“Do you have a few minutes to talk?”  

He motions to the chair in front of the desk, and I take the opportunity to sit.  “Yeah, of course.”  I flash him my best smile.  How I’m managing it, I have no idea.  I guess I’m just that good.

“Lawrence and I have been discussing some things.  We realized that the deal we made regarding Miss Dawson, may have come down harsher on you than we intended.  We never meant to put your job in jeopardy, I feel we were just aggravated at that particular moment, and made a hasty decision.  Using your job as collateral is off the table."

“Well I’m still sticking by my compromise,” I shrug.  “If she messes up again, it’s my ass too.”

“We’ve decided not to go down that road.  Miss Dawson has her own work she needs to do to reclaim her rank at this firm, but you shouldn't be dragged through the mud with her.  This conversation, really, has nothing to do with her at all.  Lawrence and I don’t want you being involved with all of that, and we should have thought twice about it from the beginning.  We’ve found some new candidates, and are ready to change things up a bit.”

I know what he’s going to say even before the words have left his mouth.  It’s the day my father has been dreaming of for years, and the one I’ve pretty much been dreading. I never asked to be made partner, I’ve just worked hard, and it’s starting to pay off extremely well.  

“We’ve been planning on making you partner for months now.  We were just waiting for the right opportunity to present it to you.  Unfortunately we’ve been a little distracted due to the Garbin case failing, but Lawrence and I didn’t think it would be fair to let the Christmas holiday unfold without letting you know.”

He opens his desk drawer, pulls a folder out of it, and slides it over to me.  I already know that it’s my contract.  They want me to take it home and review the terms of my partnership over the holiday break, and be ready to sign when I return to work.  If I sign, this firm will turn into Harrison, Fink, and Timberlake, and I will become a common name in the legal world, just like my father.

I sit back slightly, leaving the folder closed on top of the desk.  “What about Maggie?”

He laughs slightly.  “What about her?”

“Why not her?”

“Justin, this partnership has been yours from the beginning.  Surely, you must know that.”

I shift around uncomfortably.  “Because of my father.”

He sits up slowly and his eyes narrow.  “Because you’re the most talented lawyer I’ve worked with in fifteen years.  We don’t pick based on politics.  Miss Dawson isn’t right for this.  She needs to work on herself, and it would be in your best interest to stop babying her.  Eventually, she will need to stand on her own, without your support.  Now, we're willing to keep her on, and give her the small cases that come in.  Her job isn't in danger anymore, we're just going to be very...selective, with her case load.  We figured that would make you content enough to sign."

I sigh harshly.  I don’t think I could give him any type of answer right now.  There’s too much going on.  “I really need to consider this before I do anything.”

He nods slightly. “How’s Fay?”

I barely look at him.  “Worse.”

He falls silent, and it’s fucking awkward.  The only thing that could be worse right now is if Lawrence were here, staring me down in that creepy ass way he tends to do.  At least Barry is kind of normal.  

“You take the holiday,” he says, gently.  “Think it over, and get back to us.  If things…progress, you make sure you take a leave…as long as you need.  We’ll pay you for every day you’re gone.  You can count on that.”

He holds his hand out to me so I can shake it, and thank him profusely.

I don’t.

“Merry Christmas.”

He withdraws his hand, and gives me a tight, but understanding, smile.  “Same to you.”
Chapter 6 by ialwayzbesingin
December 24, 2014
 
2:00pm

Harrison & Fink, Attorneys at Law

598 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY


There's this stairwell.  I stumbled upon it haphazardly during a power outage a few years back.  It's an old emergency exit that was never sealed off, and the only place you can sneak a cigarette without going outside of the building.  They never put the smoke alarm back in.  In fact, I doubt anybody knows this place is still here.

Thank God.  During times of peak stress, it's our only salvation.

I take a long drag of my cigarette, flicking the ashes into the paper cup down by my feet.  Am I hiding from my issues? I guess so, but I don't know what else to fucking do.  I really don't.

We were finished.  He told me so.  Then he was just there, at my job, with my favorite roses and an apology.  Somehow, he convinced me to come with him to the Starbucks around the corner so we could talk.

I've never been so uncomfortable in my life, and what's worse, Justin witnessed me standing there, my arms filled with flowers, staring at my ex like a fool.  I'm sure he figured out we left together, and he's more than likely lost all respect for me.  When I first left Hunter, Justin made me promise never to go back, no matter what things he might come up with to win me over.  I told him I wouldn't, because I didn't think Hunter cared about me anymore.  

Does that make me a liar for going with him? Or just an idiot?

"Your mom called me last night," he said, once we had our coffees and were settled in a booth at the back of the cafe.  "We had a long talk.  She told me that you've been really upset and I guess I just...realized some things.  I've been a fool, Maggie.  I've always known that you're a hard worker, but I felt like you would have rather been at the office than at home most of the time.  I was lonely, but I shouldn't have gone to someone else for comfort.  I should have talked to you about it."

"You were an asshole."

I said it harshly, but I didn't leave the table, and he smiled, because he had me right where he wanted me.

“I’d really…like to try again.  Do you think you can give me another chance?”

I couldn't answer him.  I looked down at my coffee and stirred it around.  I knew the best thing would be to let him sweat it out, and work to gain my respect again.  I've never been able to back down from Hunter though.  He's always had this gripping hold over my emotions.  Anything he asked of me, I would do.  It always bothered him when work got in the way though.  He knew how badly I wanted a partnership, but at the same time, couldn't stand that I would rather work than go home to him.  

I started to wonder if it was his plan all along, letting our relationship disintegrate, so my career would be affected.  He knew I would be desperate for him.  I wanted to point it out.  I wanted to back him into a corner like he'd done to me, when he told me he wanted his new girlfriend to stay at the apartment once in a while.  

"I want this to work itself out."  He said it before I could get the words out, and pulled a small box out of his pocket.  

I knew it was jewelry and I sat back, rolling my eyes at him.  "Hunter you can't just buy me back."

He smirked, and said nothing as he opened the box.  "Could you just consider it...us?  I miss you Mags."

The diamond was breathtaking.  It was pink.  Hunter had bought me diamond number two and it blew my mind.  "What did you do?"

"You wanna put it on?"  He started to take it out of the box.

"No."  I said it automatically, and took my gaze off of the thing.

"I got it down in the diamond district.  The guy said the cut is one of a kind.  You're one of a kind too." He smiled.  "I love you Maggie.  I screwed up, all right?  Come home for Christmas with me.  I'll pick you up in a few hours.  What do you say?  We can take the time and really talk about things."

I didn't know what the fuck to say.

He slid the box with the ring it in across the table.  "Call me when you're leaving the office."  He got out of the booth and caressed my face with his hand.

I pulled away.  "Stop, okay?"

He didn't listen.  Instead, he leaned in and pressed his lips against mine.  My heart was racing and I started to tremble.  It took every ounce of strength I had not to turn into a sobbing fool when our lips parted, and needless to say, I barely had any emotional stamina left.  

"I'll see you later."  He smirked.  "Be good."

He just left me there.  I was speechless, breathless, and completely confused.

I hate that he left me that way.  I know he did it on purpose.  He thinks he's won.

I don't want to be won over.  I don't want to give in, because I've been a fucking mess over him, and I shouldn't be making this easy.  I could kill my mother for butting in.  She's always wanted Hunter and I to get married though.  He's her ideal for me because he comes from a prominent family.  Hunter's father is a senator, and the law practice he helped to get off the ground for his son is doing very well.

Is that why I stayed with him for eight years? Was it my families influence?

I just don't know.  

I'm driving myself fucking crazy though, I know that much.

I hear the door at the top of the stairs creak open.  There's only one other person who knows about this place, but I'm not so sure I want to see him right now.  I'd rather sit here alone with the stash of cigarettes and figure out what the hell I'm supposed to tell Hunter later.

I feel sick.

"Mags?"

"Down here."
 
I hear the click of the flashlight being turned on, and then his footsteps are on the stairs.

"Hey."

He sits and clicks the flashlight off so only the red glow of the emergency exit sign at the bottom of the stairs remains.  Justin looks drained, like someone knocked the wind out of him.  I'm too much of a mess to ask him why.  

"Hey," I whisper.

"You wanna share?"

I take one last drag, before I pass the cigarette to him.  "They haven't gone stale yet."

"This pack is newer.  I've been coming down here a lot more lately."

He didn't tell me.  I haven't wanted to admit that something has been off with him the last few months.  He's still been the best friend I have, but he's been retreating from me a lot more, canceling our plans without much of an explanation, or changing the subject of a conversation when it starts to get into his personal life.  For awhile I thought he met someone, but when he continued to complain about his awful dates, I knew it was something else.  

"Why?"

He exhales the smoke slowly.  "There's some things I've been dealing with at home.  I try not to drag them to work with me.  I wouldn't be able to focus on my job, and one ass chewing a month from the bosses is more than enough for me."

I nod slowly.  "It's okay, but you know you can tell me anything, right?  I mean, I feel like I tell you all my stupid crap."

He takes another drag.  "It's not stupid crap.  I tend to keep things to myself.  It's not you Mags.  I've been this way since I can remember."

"Well, are you okay?"

He shrugs, and glances up at me after a moment.  "No."

Silence takes over.  I can't push him.  If there's one thing I know about Justin, it's that he says what he wants to say, when he's good and ready.  I respect that, and I think that's why he's so comfortable around me.  

"They offered me the partnership," he finally says.  “Just now.”

"Well, that was inevitable."

"I guess."

"Are you going to take it?"

"I don't have a fucking clue.  They want my answer after the holiday."

"It was always meant for you, Justin."

"You're just as qualified," he tells me.  "Don't let them make you think otherwise."

"I don't think--"

"Maggie I mean it."

He says it harshly.  I know he's serious, and won't back down.  "Well I'm flattered," I say softly.  "But your decision shouldn't be based on how qualified I am.  You're one of the best lawyers in the business.  They'd be crazy not to give you the promotion."  I reach out for the cigarette and he passes it to me.

"I don't want to give a shit, you know?  I don't want it to matter.  A big part of me doesn't care, but there's also that small part that lives for this business and wants it more than anything in the world.  I'm torn, I guess that's the most frustrating thing.  I don't want to base my Christmas holiday around a career choice."

I nod slightly as I pass the cigarette back to him.  I let him smoke in silence for several moments, so he can calm down.  He needs to do this, because once he goes out there, he'll force himself back into perfection.  I feel like he's this trained robot.  He can smile on cue and outperform the best of them.  Nobody that matters is ever able to see him this way.  Just me.  He hides everything, buries it deep down inside of him.  I don't know whether he's protecting himself, or if he simply doesn't want people to think he's vulnerable, even in the smallest sense.

"So what happened with smart ass?"

I guess I knew he'd ask.  "Hunter wants me to come home with him for Christmas."
 
"Are you going?"

"I probably shouldn't."

"But you're considering it?"

"There's a part of me that still loves him."

"Understandable."

"What do you think I should do?"

He looks up at me and licks his lips as he scratches the back of his head.  

"Justin?"

"Should I tell you what I wish you would do, or the by the book thing to do?"

"I um...well, what do you wish I would do?"

He looks into my eyes, and something inside of him seems to crumble.  "I guess I wish you would come home with me."

"With you?"

He chuckles and takes another drag.  "You asked."

"So what's the by the book thing?"

He sits up slightly.  "Go home with Hunter, reassure your family and his that you'll be living your life the way they always intended, and hope that he doesn't fool around on you again when work gets hectic."

"Can I ask you something?"

He nods.  "Of course."

"Going home with you...is that like, as friends?"

"We're already friends, so unless you want to go as enemies I guess the answer is yes."

I laugh at him and he smiles for me, passing me back the cigarette. "You're the best friend I have in the world Mags.  I want you to know that, and I don't want you to spend your Christmas alone, or miserable with someone you're not sure how you feel about.  You deserve better.  If Hunter really cares about you, he'll have to understand that you need to time to think about getting back together."

"He gave me a bigger diamond when we sat down at Starbucks.  It's pink."

"Like J Lo pink?"

"I guess."  I sigh and pull the box out of my purse, cracking open the lid to reveal what's inside.  

Justin leans in close and his eyebrows raise when he looks at the diamond.  "Shit.  That's a statement."

I shove it back in my bag and take another long drag, releasing the smoke through my nostrils.  "What are you thinking?"

"I would say he's trying to prove something, but I'm biased, because my opinion of him isn't high, and that will never change."

"You don't think he can change?"

Justin shrugs.  "He was pretty quick to let you go after eight years."

"Yeah, but every relationship hits a breaking point once in a while."

"You don't have to defend your relationship to me, Mags.  This is the open forum stairwell.  I'm not going to agree or disagree with you.  I'm just saying that running right back to him is a little risky considering how whacked out your emotions have been.  I think he knows that.  I think he knows that you're vulnerable."

"I'm just afraid of being alone."  I settle back against the wall and close my eyes.  "I've never been alone before."

"You're never alone, Mags."

I open my eyes and glance down at him.  "What do you mean?"

"I mean,"  he smirks slightly but quickly looks down at his lap.  "I'll always be here for you."

I feel my cheeks burning, but I have no idea why.  I also don't understand why my heart has started to beat a little bit faster.  It's only Justin.  My closest friend.  "I was meaning to ask you why you were so worried about me spending Christmas on my own."

He shrugs.  "No one should spend Christmas alone, that's all."

"You were pretty pissed at me earlier, when I told you to drop it."

"I know."  He clears his throat slightly.  "I'm fine with it now."

"Justin--"

"We better get back."  He stuffs the cigarette out in the cup.  "Another hour or two and we'll be done for the holiday."

He's blowing me off.  I just got too personal, too close to his heart, and he's backing down.  "You're serious about me coming home with you?"

"You're going to go home with Hunter."  He rises to his feet and smooths out his shirt and tie.

"I didn't say that."

"No, but I know you.  You love him, and that's completely cool.  Come on, let's go."

He clicks the flashlight back on, and begins to lead the way back up the stairs.

I'm so fucking confused.  I hate feeling this way, and I can totally relate to Justin right now.  He's torn, and obviously upset about something going on at home.  

Fuck it.  Fuck Hunter and his pink diamond.  I just don't have the patience to let it take over my holiday.  After the shit I’ve been through the past couple of months, I owe myself a good time.

"Justin."

"Hm?"  He pauses on he stairs and looks back down at me.

"I'd um..."  I take a large breath and let it out slowly.  "I'd love to spend Christmas at your place.  You know, as friends."

He smiles for me.  It's that genuine one I see on his face whenever we go to happy hour or camp out in his office for lunch.  "Sounds great, Mags."
Chapter 7 by ialwayzbesingin

December 24, 2014

4:45 pm

Oyster Bay Railroad Station

102 Audrey Avenue, Oyster Bay, NY


I purchased my home in Long Island, about two years ago, after I made my first significant earnings at the firm.  Oyster Bay is an upscale part of Long Island, and about an hour train ride from the office.  The house was pretty much my dream home from the start, with the small lake out back and a sprawling back yard.  I dreamed of meeting the right woman, marrying her, and raising our children in it.  So far, that hasn't happened, but Tyler loves running around in the back yard, and over Thanksgiving we even tossed around the football.  I guess Fay is right though, it's a great house but it's definitely not meant for someone in her condition.  It's too big, and I haven't had the time to convert the staircase into an elevator.  There's seven bedrooms and nine baths, and none of the bedrooms are on the ground floor.  I get it, I do.

But I'd rather carry Fay upstairs for the rest of her life than see her move into Verdan.

I'm not sure about Maggie's financial situation.  She should be living in a house like mine because she's a good lawyer, but instead she had to move into that rathole studio.  I'm sure the lease she took out on the apartment in Brooklyn was pretty high and I have no idea how much Hunter contributed to the cause.  She's told me before that they saved for the place together.

It's better not to pry.  Lord knows, she's never pushed me about things.

"Have you always lived out here?"

I click the button on my car key and the lights on my Ferrari flash on and off.  I leave it in the garage across from the train station when I go to work, and I can't deny I've been a little worried about her since I didn't come home last night.  

"Well, my parents live in Old Westbury, but when I was growing up, I stayed at school except for the summers and holidays.  Their house is about ten minutes from mine.  I would have moved into the city but, uh..."  I hesitate and she looks back at me expectantly.

Shit, why can't I just tell her? I mean, when she walks in my house she's going to meet my sister and see that she's sick.  I have to stop this.  There's no reason to keep secrets from Maggie.  Not anymore.

I can't believe she's really here.  I took a risk, told her I wanted her to spend Christmas with me, and she actually said yes.  My stomach has been in knots ever since, because I know this is my shot.  I have a real chance to prove myself to her now.  Of course I'm scared, but I don't want to  wimp out this time.  At some point, today or tomorrow, I have to let her know how I feel.  I have to tell her that she shouldn't go back to Hunter, because I know I could be good for her.  I could be the man she's been searching for.

"Justin?"

"I um..."  I lick my lips.  "I didn't want to be that far away from my sister."

"Oh, you have a sister?"  Her expression brightens.  "You never told me that.  Do I get to meet her?"

"Yeah," I smirk slightly.  "I have a nephew too, Tyler.  He's nine.  They live with me.  At least, for now."

"Oh..." Her expression falls slightly.  It's obvious that she's starting to put two and two together, relating my "problems at home", with Fay.  I should explain myself, but I just don't know if this is the right time, or place.

Still, I'd rather her be prepared for Fay, so she won't ask a ton of questions at the house.  We reach my car, and I open the passenger door for her.  I'm almost there, almost ready to spill my guts right here.  "Mags..."

"This is a Ferrari."

I chuckle slightly.  "Bonus upgrade."

"Banks case?"

"Yeah."

She nods and smiles slightly.  "Your rocked that one."  

"After you."  I motion her to take a seat, and then I shut the door.  Shit.  So close.

I have to tell her.  I have to.

I get into the drivers seat, and after starting up the motor, I sit, gazing out the windshield, flexing my fingers around the soft leather that encases my steering wheel.

"What's wrong?" She says softly.  

I look over at her.  She's so beautiful, even now.  The wind has been whipping through her hair, tossing it here and there so it rests seductively around her face and on her shoulders.  Her cheeks have turned pale pink because of the frigid air and her lips are a blush red color.  It all brings out the color of her eyes.  Emerald green.  I can't get them out of my head.  They're driving me wild, and the scent of her perfume is filling the  Ferrari's interior now, here to stay for at least a few days.  

It's so hard to sit here with her, alone, finally all mine, and not say a word about how hard I've fallen for her.  

"My sister Fay, she's been sick for awhile.  She's in a wheelchair, and hasn't been doing very well lately.  I just want you to know now, so when you meet her, it's not as much of a shock."

"Oh..."  Her eyes widen slightly.  "Well, she's going to get better right?"

I suck in my bottom lip, and I can't bring myself to look at her.  "No.  She has ALS.  It's starting to take its toll on her.  She wants to go into a full time care facility after the holidays.  After that, I have no idea how much longer she’ll be with us.”

"That's why you cancel on me sometimes.  You've been taking care of her?"

"I've been trying," I laugh, sadly.  "Nothing I do seems to make any difference."

"I'm sure it makes a difference to her, and to your nephew."

"I moved them in with me because my father wanted to just...throw her in a home as soon as she went into the wheelchair.  I wanted her to have a normal life, until it wasn't possible for her to have one anymore, you know?  It's been great having them at the house too.  She just...she doesn't want Tyler to see her at her lowest.  She'd rather do it in a home and have him be oblivious.  Then you know, I ask her...I ask her what happens when she dies? Tyler won't be oblivious to that..."  I laugh and then I can feel the tears on my face.

I wipe at my eyes harshly.   Damn it.  I shouldn't have done this here.  I'm still entirely too emotional after my conversation with Fay this afternoon.

Maggie is silent.  I don't think she knows what to say.  Still, I make myself look at her.  "This is going to be her last Christmas at home."  I clear my throat and get my emotions together.  "I'll do anything to make it her best one."

"You should have told me," she whispers.

"I didn't want to.  I would have been a wreck at work, and you...I guess I felt you needed me to be the stable one.  At times I felt you didn't have anyone else to talk to.  I wanted to give you that support if I could."

"Did you have anyone else to talk to about what you were going through?" She asks me, keeping her eyes locked onto my own.  

I get nervous, lick my lips and frantically think of a great lie to tell her.  I can't though.  I can't lie to this girl, not now, not ever.  "No."  It's a hoarse whisper and nothing more.

"You have to stop blocking people out," she tells me, roughly.  "I've always been able to tell that it's one of your best talents.  You just...fucking smile, and act like nothing phases you!  You're the shoulder for my pathetic ass to lean on.  I can't believe you'd hide all of this from me.  I'm really pissed at you."

"Maggie..."

"No." She shakes her head roughly and crosses her arms sternly over her chest.  "I'm serious.  I can't believe after all the years we’ve known each other, you felt you couldn't pull me aside to tell me that your sister is really sick.  What is that supposed to tell me about our friendship?"

My mouth hangs open.  I don't think there's anything I can say right now to make this better.  She's right.  I've been a great friend to her, but friendship is supposed to work both ways.  When Fay was diagnosed I simply tucked my feelings away and focused on work, but I didn't have to.  I could have talked to her about this...about lots of things.  I'm just figuring that out now, because I'm a fool.  There's so many people in my life that have been better off without me coming to them with an issue, and I’ve just grown accustomed to keep everything to myself.  Fay is the only one that's been able to get things out of me, up until now.  Maggie is the only other person, but I can tell she doesn't have the patience my sister does.

"Should I put you on the next train?" I sigh.

"See, there you go again!"

“What? You said you were pissed! I didn't think you wanted to spend time with me anymore!"

"Just because I'm pissed off doesn't mean I'm going to turn my back on you! God, Justin, hasn't anyone cared about you before?  All you do is push opportunity away.  It's no wonder you can't enjoy a date.  You're so afraid of what might happen if you let someone stick around long enough to enjoy your company!"

I look away from her and straight ahead into the garage again.  "It's just how I am."

"Yeah, well maybe you need to change, before you end up completely alone."

I can't say anything.  I might break down, or say something really stupid to her, like how I'm in love with her and terrified of letting her know.  It prompts me to rev my engine, and put my car into drive, peeling out of the garage so I can drive home.  She doesn't say a word about my recklessness, or that I should slow down once we hit the freeway.  I think Maggie knows I'm upset, but she's angry too.  I steal subtle glances at her as I drive, and find that she's staring straight ahead, chewing at the corner of her lip, like she's thinking very hard about something.

I wish I could blurt out every single thing that's on my mind.  Things about Fay, and about her.  I open my mouth several times, but the words won't form.  My throat goes dry.  She's too beautiful when she's angry, and I'm terrified she won't understand or just tell me to get over it.  To grow up.  That's what Benjamin has told me in the past, when I was upset about Fay.

I'm failing.  I don't fail at anything usually.  Well, except romance.

It must be my epic flaw.

And I suddenly regret asking Maggie to Christmas.
***********
December 24, 2014

5:45 pm

Timberlake Residence

43 Berry Hill Rd, Oyster Bay, NY

My phone has been buzzing inside my pocket since before we left the office.  Of course it’s Hunter, and the dozen voicemails he’s left must be asking why I haven’t called, or if I’m still coming home with him for Christmas.  At first I was tempted to call back and tell him what was going on, but then, the more I thought about it, the more I felt it was time for him to suffer, just like I had.

I don’t regret what I’ve done to him on Christmas, and I fully intend to give both engagement rings back after the holiday.  I have to face facts.  He’s just not the love of my life anymore.  Maybe he never was.  Things were simpler in college.  I was away from my parents for the first time, and aside from classes, I had no other responsibilities.  It was easy for me to fall for a guy like Hunter, because he knew so much about the world, and life, having come from an affluent household with every advantage at his beck and call.  I was easily impressed then, and now that I think about it, I let him have complete control over what we did, and who we were friends with.  When we moved to New York, he still thought that my career was just going to be something on the side, while his life, social and professional, would dominate our relationship.

I took me eight years to see his real personalty rear its ugly head.  Christ, I almost married him.  

I guess I’m on my own now.

Well…almost.

The house is a classic Long Island dream right out of Better Homes and Gardens.  Fully decked out with elaborate lights and goofy holiday lawn ornaments, you'd never know that there wasn't a big happy family celebrating the holiday beyond the front doors.  All of this has been done for Tyler, the nine year old little boy that lives here, I'm sure.  That means Justin cares more about his sister and nephew than anything else on the face of the planet.

I could tell just by his tone, that "it's taking its toll" means his sister won't be around to enjoy the following Christmas season with her son, or with him.  This is her last, and the more I think about that, the guiltier I feel about yelling at him in the car.

Damn it, he really deserved it though.

A part of me is still so furious with him.  The debilitation of a family member's health is a lot more important than my relationship troubles, yet he didn't give me any hint that it was happening to him. I guess I'm a little hurt.  By now, I figured we were close enough that he would have come to me with an issue like that.

The fact that he didn't is making me question our entire friendship.  At the same time though, I can't stay mad at him.  His eyes lit up as soon as we pulled into his driveway, and that smile took over.  The genuine one.  I knew he was finally excited about the holidays, and I really didn't want to spoil his mood.  

“If you still want to go home, I can take you back.”  

Ever the gentleman, he’s opened the passenger side door for me and is holding his hand out for me to take.

“I didn’t say I wanted to.”

“Yeah, but I know you’re not happy with me.”

I sigh harshly and narrow my eyes at him.  “How about you shut up.”

He frowns.

“Look, I just thought we were close,” I tell him.  “I figured you would have told me something like this, right away.”

“We are close.”  He stares at the ground.  “I just…I have trouble.”

“Trouble?”

“Yeah.”

“Trouble with what? Talking?”

“I don’t know.”  He finally looks at me again, and rubs his hand over his head.  “I…I’m  uncomfortable telling people that I’m upset, or having a hard time.”

“You tell me about your dates.”

He laughs softly.  “That’s different.”

I roll my eyes and get out of the car on my own.  “Timberlake, I’m giving you a pass, all right? Lord knows, getting my drunk ass out of the tub has to count for something.  I’m not mad at you anymore, but if something serious is going on with you, I expect you to tell me from now on, all right?”

“Yeah.” He smiles for me again.  “All right.”

I hug him then.  I’m not sure what makes me do it, but when I feel his arms around me, holding me tight, it makes me feel different.  Not a ‘we’re spending christmas as friends’ different.  But really different.  The scent of him, the soft sound of his breath against my neck, the feeling of his heart beating through his shirt, is sending me into sensory overload.  I feel myself begin to sweat, and my heart beings to race, just like earlier in the stairwell.

Shit, this can’t be good.  It’s that rebound crap, taking over.  I’m still a mess from Hunter, and that’s all.

“You okay?”  I force myself to pull away from him, and he seems a little disappointed.

“Uh, yeah.”  He nods quickly and straightens out his jacket, but won’t look at me.  “Yeah, we’re good.  You wanna go in?”

“Well it is pretty cold.”  I laugh to lighten the awkwardness, and its the only thing that seems to snap him out of whatever it is.

“Come on.”  He smiles and takes my hand, pulling me towards the wheelchair ramp that leads up to his front door.

I don’t pull away.  I just let him do it.  Strangely, it feels right.  It feels good and I feel the warmth and comfort flowing through my veins for the first time in months.

But this is Justin.  My best friend.  I can’t start to feel any other way about him.  No, because those kind of things never go well.  I couldn’t bare to lose him, if things didn’t work out in the end.

Justin unlocks the door and leads the way inside the house.  I look up and all around, gazing at the comforting surroundings.  It looks like something out of a Williams-Sonoma catalog.  The white crown molding with the mahogany wood floors, staircase, and trim.  The brass door handles and the oriental rugs.  I fall in love immediately, and the heavenly scent of of Christmas cookies wafting in the air from elsewhere in the house is the icing on the cake.

I want to stay here.  I never want to leave, and that’s very bad.

“Mags?”

I snap to attention.  “Yeah, sorry.”

“What’s wrong? Do you hate my house or something?” He laughs.

“No,” I chuckle.  “I just…I love it here.”

His eyes get a little wider.  “You just got here.”

My cheeks begin to burn, yet again.  “I can’t explain it.  It feels like Christmas now, that’s all.”

He stares at me, like I just blew his mind.

“UNCLE JUSTIN!”

Before either of us can react, a small boy who could only be Tyler flies towards us at full speed, throwing himself into Justin’s arms when he gets close enough.  

“Uncle Justin! You didn’t come home last night!”

“Whoa, bud!”

Tyler wraps his arms around Justin’s neck and buries his face in his shoulder.  “Why didn’t you come home?”

Justin plants a kiss on the top of his nephews curly brown hair.  “Mommy told me you were over it.”

“I missed you,” Tyler whispers.

Justin sighs.  “I’m here okay? I’m not going anywhere right now.”  He tightens his embrace around Tyler and boosts him up in his arms.  “You’re getting to heavy for this,” he laughs.  “Come on, it’s Christmas.  There’s no time to cry.”

“Grampy said this is why we shouldn’t live here.  He said you’re busy at work.”

Within seconds I see Justin’s carefree demeanor fade away.  He looks serious now, strained, and tense.  He gently places Tyler on the floor, and bends down slightly, wiping the tears off of Tyler’s face.  “When was Grampy here?” He doesn’t stay it roughly, but I can tell it’s taking a lot for him to keep his mood in check.   

“He came to talk to mommy this morning.  They were arguing.  She made me go upstairs.”

“Okay.”  He tousles Tylers hair.  “Don’t worry about it, all right? I smell cookies! Did you guys bake?”

“Sugar and Chocolate chip! Matilda helped me!”  He smiles brightly.

“Oh you baked them?” Justin laughs.  “Wow, I’m impressed, Ty.”

“We used your recipe!”

Justin glances back at me slightly, as if he just remembered that I’ve been standing here.  “Well I can’t wait to try them.  Can you say hello my friend Maggie?”

Tyler’s gaze finally lands on me.  You can tell he’s a Timberlake just by how tall he is, and the nose.  The nose is the same as Justin’s, a family trait.  He’s cute as a button too, but I won’t tell him that.  Most boys his age get embarrassed and grossed out, and I don’t want to create that as my first impression.   

“Hi, who’re you?” Tyler asks, his eyes wide with wonder.  “Are you Justin’s girlfriend?”

My face burns.

“Tyler…” Justin trails off, the nerves apparent in his voice.

“I um…no.  I work with your uncle, in the city.” I force a smile.  “We’re friends.”

“Oh.”  He frowns for a moment, but then it turns into a smile.  “Are you going to spend Christmas with us?”

“That’s the plan,” I chuckle.

“Matilda!” He yells.  “Matilda!  We gotta make more cookies! Uncle Justin brought his friend!”

He races away.
r32;“Tyler!” Justin yells after him.  “God…I’m sorry,” he laughs as he turns back to me.  “He’s a bundle of every type of emotion, most of the time.  I’ve never brought anyone home before.”

“I think he’s sweet,” I chuckle.  “He seems like a lot of fun.”

“He is,” Justin nods.  “He’s a lot of work though.  He never got to meet his dad, so he needs a lot of attention from me.  When I have to work overtime, or go on a business trip for the firm, he gets really upset.  The Banks case nearly drove him out of his skull.  If it wasn’t for FaceTime I have no idea what we would have done.”

“I’m starting to get your feelings about the partnership.”

He sighs a little.  “Well, I’m glad someone does,” he says gently.  “I’m just going to get changed, all right?  The kitchen is right down the hallway to the left, if you feel like joining Matilda and Tyler in their baking festivities.  Matilda is my sisters nurses aid, but she sort of doubles as a babysitter for me these days.  She’s a really nice girl though.  You gonna be okay for a minute?”

“Oh…yeah.” I force a smile, but I know how uncomfortable I am.  

“All right.” He flashes that great smile of his for me.  “I’m…I’m really glad you came,” he nods.  “It means everything to me, Mags.”r32;


I stare at him, breathless.  He’s never been so upfront with me before, and I don’t know what to make of it.  What do I say? I mean, he looks so damn happy right now.  I’ve never seen him this way, in all the years I’ve known him.  To know that I’m causing those emotions is making my head spin.  “It does?”

“It does.”  He licks his lips.  “I um…”  He trails off and laughs as his eyes meet the floor again.  “Maggie I…” He starts over but stops again, shaking his head roughly.

“Justin?”

“I’ll…” He lets out a large breath.  “I’ll just be a few minutes.”

He turns and walks up the stairs.  I’m completely confused, but something deep down inside is starting to burn brighter.  Something that I feel has been hiding out for a really long time.  It’s longing, and it’s telling me that I’m starting to long for him.

But that’s just nuts.

Chapter 8 by ialwayzbesingin

December 24, 2014

6:30 pm

Timberlake Residence

43 Berry Hill Rd, Oyster Bay, NY

 

“Are you okay?”

I hear Fay at the doorway but I don’t turn to face her.  “I’m just changing.”

“That’s the fourth outfit you’ve put on.”

“You’ve been watching me? Isn’t that kind of like incest?”

“Whatever, you’ve seen me naked more times in the past month than I’d like to think about.  I think it’s only fair.”

I’m so fucking mad at myself.

She must think I’m a fool by now. In fact, when I go back downstairs, I’m fulling expecting her to call a cab and go back home.  It’s childish that I can’t tell her how I feel. I was almost there, but I chickened out.  I did it again.

I’m a fucking fool.  I don’t know what to do anymore. Giving up would be a hell of a lot easier.  I can’t do it though.  Back there, at the stairs, she looked so beautiful and it took my breath away.  I don’t know why.  She hasn’t had the chance to freshen up yet.  I guess it’s just because we’re here at the house, and it’s Christmas, and she was smiling.  Those feelings I have for her kept building up, more and more until I thought I was going to explode.

I know I love her, even if that deems me psychotic.  I can’t lie to myself, right?  I feel in love with her years ago, there’s no escape.

There’s nobody else for me.

But I can’t get the words out.  It’s fucking killing me.  I know I’ll watch her walk away from me the day after Christmas, and let our lives get back to normal.  I think I can take rejection from the strangers I go on dates with.  I’m unaffected.  But rejection from Maggie will be as bad as losing Fay at some point next year.  I can’t risk that kind of pain.  I don’t think I’d survive it.

“It’s just us.”  I hear her wheelchair gliding into my bedroom.  “I mean, you’re going to be coated with sauce and flour in a few minutes.”

“I brought a guest,” I grumble.

This is the hard part.  My sister won’t believe for a minute that I’ve brought Maggie home as a friend.  One look at my expression and she’ll have me figured out, because she knows me better than anyone on the planet.  I don’t want to answer her questions, and I don’t want Maggie to get uncomfortable and start asking me questions either.

“A guest?”

I finally turn, holding my breath as I give her the once over, hoping for the best.  My heart sinks when I see that one of her arms is curled into her lap, unmoving. The other arm is resting on the arm of her power chair, strapped into place so it can’t slip off, allowing her fingers to push her joystick forward and back.  This is it for Fay.  Soon she won’t be able to maneuver herself around at all.  She’ll need someone to push her. I’m starting to understand why she wants this full time care, but I don’t want to accept it.

“Stop staring, Justin.”

I meet her gaze.  “Fay…”

“Look, I’m making the best of it,” she whispers.  “You should too, for Tylers sake.”

“How are you going to eat.” My voice trembles, and I fight off the tears.  

“Matilda is still here,” she smiles. “She said she’d get us through dinner, and if you’d be so kind to help me out, I’d really love some of that Apple Pie you’ve been going on about for a week.”

A feeling of disgust comes over me.  Tonight is fine.  I know Maggie is a good person and won’t say anything while I’m feeding my sister dessert, but tomorrow at our parents house…I don’t know if I can stomach the way they’ll probably treat her at the dinner table.  “What about tomorrow?”

“You can take Tyler,” she nods.  “I’m not going to Mom and Dad’s.”

“Why?”

“I would just rather not,” she sighs.  “Justin, you shouldn’t have to ask me, you know?”

“Tyler said Dad came by.”

“Yeah.” She rolls her eyes.  “He did.”

“And?”

“I’d rather just talk about it later, okay?”  She looks me in the eyes, and then she smiles.  “It’s Christmas Eve, and I don’t want to think about all the bullshit going on. I just want to spend time with you and Tyler and…well.” A sly smile takes over her expression.  “Your ‘guest’.”

“It’s just a co-worker.”

“Oh my god you are such a bad liar.”

“It is!”

She inches closer to me.  “I saw her out the window.  Very pretty, J.”

“She’s my co work…”

“I’m going to figure out a way to slap you if you say that again.  Who is she?”

I turn back to her, and I can’t help but let the smile break out across my face.  I forget about the chair, about the fact that I’ll have to put a bib on her and feed her like a baby in a while.  It’s just my sister right now.  Everything else seems to melt away.  “Her name is Maggie.  She’s an executive lawyer at the firm, like me.”

“So when you said you were helping your co-worker last night?” She raises and eyebrow.

“I was helping her. Her fiancé dumped her recently.  She needed a friend last night.”

“Mmhm, and how long have you had a crush on her?”

“I haven’t had a crush…Jesus, Fay!”

She laughs.  “Oh Justin, you are so cute and inexperienced about relationships.  I just want to pinch your cheeks or something.”

“It’s not a crush.” I harshly turn back to my dresser, digging for yet another outfit.

“But you like her.”

“I dunno.”

“Give me a break.”

I sigh harshly.  “It doesn’t matter if I do or if I don’t.  It would never work.”

“I knew it!”

“Fay—”

“Do I get to play match maker tonight? My wishes are coming true, finally.  I’m only sorry I spent a hundred bucks on match.com.  Lord knows you never fucking use the thing.”

“Please don’t say anything.” I quickly turn back to her.  “Please, just…let it go, okay?”

“There’s a lot of things I put up with Justin,” she says softly.  “But you spending the rest of your life alone, isn’t something I’m willing to accept.  I want to…know…that you’re going to be taken care of when I’m gone.”

“Fuck, really, you’re going to go there tonight?”

“When would you like to discuss it, then?”

I shake my head roughly.  “We already talked about this today, remember?  I’m not going to do it again right now.  Are you ready? I’ll bring you down in a minute.”

“You can’t keep avoiding the inevitable,” she tells me.  “Eventually, I won’t be here for you to lean on.  You have to figure out what you’re going to do, Justin.  I mean yeah, we discussed Verdan this afternoon but it’s obvious that you didn’t grasp the concept of our conversation.  I don’t think you’re going to be able to handle things when I’m gone.  Do you know how hard that is for me? You have next to no relationship with Dad, and Mom might as well be on another planet, because she barely knows what’s going on in your life.  You don’t keep friends, and you cast off every opportunity at having a relationship.  I mean, Tyler is lucky to have you, but he can’t be everything in your world.  I want you to fall in love and be with someone that makes you happy.  One of us should be able to have that kind of life.”

“It’s like you want me to just forget about you.  You want me to let you go into that home, and move on with my life.”

She narrows her eyes at me.  “That’s exactly what I want you to do.”

I stare at her, the anger building up inside of me.  I can’t believe her.  It’s like, she would rather I didn’t care.  Like the relationship we’ve had all our lives, shouldn’t mean shit to me anymore because she’s dying.  “I’m not just casting you off Fay! I’m not Dad!”

“Do you what you want,” she says, sadly.  “I’m just trying to prepare you for what it’s going to be like when I’m not around. It’s going to be lonely here, and I don’t think you’re going to be able to handle it.”

“Well if you would listen to me, and stay, then I wouldn’t be lonely.”  I cross my arms harshly, but I won’t look at her.

I know she’s right.  She’s looking out for me.  When she moves out, it’s going to be a different world here, and I don’t know how I’m going to react.  I could lose it all, fall into a deep depression that I won’t be able to spring back from.  I won’t have anyone to confide in, because I alienate everyone.  Even Maggie can tell that it’s what I do best.  I wish I could be different, but it’s really hard to change a lifelong personality on such short notice.  

“You know I would stay if it was the best thing for everyone.”

I nod slightly.  “I know that.”

My face is burning, and in just moments I feel the first batch of tears push out from behind my eyes and glide down my face.  I’m a wreck.  I’m a wreck and she hasn’t even left yet.  I have no idea what the hell I’m supposed to do, and now I have to face Maggie too.

I’m so stupid.  How the hell did it make sense to invite her here?

“Please don’t cry,” she says after a moment.  “Justin, I can’t take it.  I really can’t. Not tonight.  My speech has been somewhat okay today.  I’d really like to keep it that way for Tyler.”

I sniffle harshly and wipe my face.  “I’m sorry,” I whisper.  “I just…you’re the only one…”

“I know.”  She closes her eyes for a moment and nods before opening them again and smiling for me.  “Let’s just try and have a great holiday, okay?”

I smile slightly, go over and kiss her cheek and stroke her hair.  “I love you, sis.”

“C’mon,” she chuckles.  “I want to meet this mysterious co-worker of yours.”

Oh God.

Chapter 9 by ialwayzbesingin

December 24, 2014

6:55 pm

Timberlake Residence

43 Berry Hill Rd, Oyster Bay, NY

 

“So, you work in the city with Justin?”

I look up from the cookbook I’ve been thumbing through and meet Matilda’s gaze.  She’s very young, and is in her last year of nursing school.  This job is counting as her internship, and she told me it’s a lot less stress for her.  She’s able to study during downtime and Justin has helped her with books and exam expenses on top of the paycheck he gives her. She seems very happy where she is, and I can tell that Tyler has grown very attached to her.  

“Oh yeah, at the firm,” I nod a little.  “I’m a lawyer too.”

“It’s crazy,” she chuckles and begins to help Tyler pour more chocolate chips into the batter they’ve been working on.  “In all this time he’s never brought someone home with him.”

I swallow hard.  “Well um…I mean, I didn’t really have plans anyway, and he asked so…yeah.”

She smirks slightly.  “Well you seem awesome.  I’m glad he invited you.  We can use a little more cheer around here. The more the merrier, right Ty?”

He glances up at me in the middle of his batter mixing, sporting a face smeared with chocolate and powdered sugar from the other cookies he’s been sampling.  “Where did you take my Uncle Justin last night?”

My face automatically burns with embarrassment.  “Well we…just…we had dinner and…”

“Tyler.”  Matilda narrows her eyes at him.  “That’s not polite.”

“He was ‘posed to tuck me in and read me a story,” he pouts.  “He promised!”

“And I’m going to read you two stories tonight, Ty.  Come on, that’s no way to talk to company is it?”

Matilda winks at me quickly, and wanders into the next room to take care of something else.  It prompts me to look over my shoulder.  Justin is standing in the kitchen archway, his brow furrowed at his nephew.  He’s dressed down, a nice polo sweater and a pair of blue jeans.  I can’t remember ever seeing him this way.  It’s always business attire with him, and I guess…I realize how much I’ve been removed from his personal life up until now.

“But she was—“

“Tyler James Timberlake.”

Justin only has to say it once to make Tyler hangs his head low.  “Sorry.”

“Don’t say sorry to me,” Justin smirks at me slightly.  “Say it to Maggie.”

“Sorry Maggie.” He looks up at me and sniffles slightly.  “I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay, honey,” I chuckle slightly.  “I understand.  Story time is pretty sacred.”

“I like Ferdinand.”  Tyler’s smile returns and he goes back to mixing his batter.  “Do you know that one?”

“Very well,”  I nod, remembering how much I begged my mother to read it to me before bed when I was a little girl.  That and The Monster at the End of This Book, will always rank high on my list.  

“I’m partial to Corduroy,” Justin chuckles, drawing closer to the kitchen island so he can ruffle Tylers hair and kiss him on the cheek.  “This one won’t let me read that one to him.  Stubborn kid.  We’ve read Ferdinand every night this month.”  He starts tickling him and it sends Tyler into a fit of squeals and laughter.

“Please don’t tickle him to death tonight.” A feminine voice laughs.  “He’s had enough juice and soda to pee his pants twice.”

I turn and see who could only be Justin’s sister in the archway, propelling herself forward in her power chair.  Her complexion is pale, and she’s very frail, but her smile is unwavering.  She has this brilliant light in her eyes.  It shows me how strong she is on the inside, and how determined she is not to let this thing get the best of her.  I like her already and I haven’t even said hello.  This is the woman that gets Justin through his days.  The only one he’s been able to talk to about everything he’s been feeling, up to this point.  

“You must be Maggie.”  She smiles up at me as she stops in front of my kitchen stool.  “From Harrison and Fink?”

“Oh…yes.”  

“Just lean down and give me a kiss on the cheek because I can’t give you one,” she laughs.

I do it with a smile.  “Fay, right?”

She nods.  “That’d be me.  Thank you so much for joining us tonight.  I really wasn’t expecting such a big turn out.” She eyes Justin a little.  “Usually its just us.”

“Well, thank you for having me.  I love your house.”

“Please, it’s Mr. Successful’s house.”  She backs up and propels herself around the Island to where Tyler is still mixing his batter.  “We’re just lucky to have him around.”

“It’s our house.  Don’t listen to her, Mags.”

I feel his eyes on me now, and finally meet Justin’s gaze.  He’s giving me a thankful little smile, as if my being completely cool with his situation is some kind of blessing.  I don’t get him.  Nothing about this is weird.  His sister is awesome and Tyler is no where near as annoying as he seems to think.  I’d love to have this kind of family, despite it’s problems.  I’ve never been close like this with my sister.

It’s killing me that Justin is going to lose this light in his life.  She’s so young, and it’s sad to see her dwindling away.  I realize that I’m scared for him.  I don’t want to imagine the wreck Justin will turn into when his sister isn’t around anymore.  She’s his only support, and when he loses that…he might just lose it all.

“So what’s on the menu?” Fay rolls herself up to the table and hits a button on the arm of her chair that boosts her level with the rest of us.  “Chef Justin?”

“You’re cooking?” I say it to him automatically.

“Oh didn’t you know?” Fay chuckles.  “Justin is a chef at heart.  I told him he should have gone to culinary academy in the city.”

“Fay, enough,” he drones.

“He wouldn’t listen though,” she continues with a smile.  “Pleasing our father was more of a priority then, you know how it is I’m sure.”

“Oh…yeah…”

Awkward.

“Prime rib.” Justin grunts and pulls it out of the fridge, plopping the packaged roast on top of the island with a whack.  “Tyler why don’t you let us put the cookies in the oven so you can get dressed for dinner.”

“Aw but—“

“Tyler, we’re not going to ask you again,” Fay says to him.  “Go get ready for dinner.”

“Fin-ne,” he sighs harshly and puts his spatula down in the bowl before running out of the kitchen.

“You sure love to kill the moment,” Fay laughs.  “Dear brother.”

He flashes her a sarcastic smile.  “You sure know how to make a person extremely uncomfortable in front of a friend, dear sister.”  

She just laughs it off.  “Maggie are you uncomfortable?”r32;
“Well, no…”

“I meant me.”  Justin grabs an apron from a hook inside the pantry door and drapes it over himself.  “I’m uncomfortable.”

“You’re always uncomfortable,” She narrows her eyes and flashes me a devilish grin.  “He is, you know.”

For the first time, I realize I can agree with her.  “You know…I think you’re right.”

“Mags?” Justin squeaks.

Fay cracks up.  “Oh my god! I”m not alone! Thank you, Maggie…really, I think we’re going to be great friends.  Maybe you can get through to him, huh? I know that after twenty five years, I still can’t.”

“He’s a hard one to crack,” I giggle.

“Great, now you’re both ganging up on me.”  He shakes his head, but I can see that smile of his peeking out.  “This is a very merry Christmas.”  He pulls a knife out of the block and begins to tear through the plastic wrap encasing his roast.  

“I didn’t know you could cook, Justin,” I say, before the moment can drift back into awkwardness.  

“Did you taste the cookies?” Fay’s eyes widen slightly.  “They are to die for.  Even our picky mother won’t let the holidays end without having a plate hand delivered to her by Justin.”

“They’re not so great.”  Justin rolls his eyes and slides the platter of cookies over to where I can reach them.  

“Let the lady judge for herself, and just so you know, I haven’t even been able to have one yet.  You could have brought a couple upstairs, you know?”

He sighs.  “Sorry.”  

I grab one up, as he takes a seat beside his sister and begins to break off pieces of a cookie, feeding them to her one by one.  Biting into the thing is incredibly amazing.  I’ve never tasted anything so tender and sweet before.  Honestly, I didn’t think Justin was capable of something as complicated as made from scratch baking.  Lord knows, I burned the last batch of Tollhouse that I attempted, and that was after reading the instructions three times.

“This is…God, Justin…this is your recipe?”

He looks over his shoulder while Fay is in mid chew.  “Yeah I mean it’s…”

“It’s so good! I can’t believe this! I just…I want to bring home plates of these to everyone I know.”

He blushes. “Well, thanks.”

“Told you,” Fay says, as Justin wipes some chocolate from the corners of her mouth.  “He’s incredible.  That’s only the beginning.  Wait until you taste the meat, and the sweet potatoes and…just everything.”

“You could go into business, you know?” I say it to him softly.  “I’m not just saying that.  People would pay to eat this stuff.”

“Yeah well, it’s just a hobby.” He says it quickly, and looks back at Fay.  “You want some more before I start the meat?”

“No, I’ll save my appetite,” she smirks.  “He’s too modest, Maggie.  That’s his problem.  He never tells people how he really feels until it’s too late.”

Justin shoots his sister an icy look. “Maybe you should go rest for awhile, Fay.”

“Why?” She rolls her eyes.  “I’m talking to my new friend Maggie.”

“Well it’s going to be a late night since you want to watch me put out the gifts for Ty.”

“Oh please,” she rolls her eyes.

“I’m just saying.” Justin grumbles and focuses on seasoning the roast.  

“You’re trying to get rid of me is more like it.” She leans closer to me.  “He always does this.  Maggie, aren’t I right through? Doesn’t Justin keep things to himself?”r32;
“Well…”r32;
Justin stares at me, like I’m destroying his whole world, but I just don’t care.

“I mean…” I continue.  “I didn’t know about you until tonight.”

“You mean about this whole wheelchair thing?”

“No.” I shake my head.  “I mean, I didn’t know he had a sister.”

“Really?” She feins surprise.  “And how long have you worked with my brother?”

“About five years now.”

“I’m so disappointed, Justin,” Fay tells him.  “You know how awesome I am.  You should want to brag about me.”

“Whatever.” He doesn't look up from the meat.

“Why didn’t you tell her?” Fay asks.

“Didn’t come up.”

“In all these years?”

“Nope.”

She glances at me.  “Is he a closed book at the office?”

“Pretty much.  Out of the office too.  I told him it pissed me off.”

“Someone else should,” Fay snaps.

“Thanks a lot,” Justin grunts.

“But yet you’re still friends with him, and you still came home with him?” Fay continues.

I shrug.  “Yeah.  He’s a good listener.  He’s always been there for me.”

“See? At least someone respects me,” Justin says.  

Fay smiles, like she knows something that I don’t.  “I knew I liked you.  Didn’t you just break up with your boyfriend or something?”

“Oh well I…”r32;
“She doesn't want to talk about it,” Justin interrupts.

“She didn't say that.  Maggie, you don’t mind do you?”

“It’s not a big deal,” I chuckle.

“See? She doesn’t mind.”

Justin groans.

“What happened? He was a jerk right?”

“You could say that.  The bastard cheated.  I’ve been kind of a wreck.  We were together eight years, but…I think I’m going to be able to deal with it, you know? I’ve realized a lot of things.  Coming here for Christmas was the change of pace I needed, I think.”

“It was definitely the change of pace Justin needed.”

“I’m still here,” Justin says.  “Remember?  The one who’s cooking the meal?”

Fay ignores him.  “Seriously, he never hangs out with anyone.  When he didn’t come home last night I thought his date might have worked out for him, if you know what i mean.”

“Fay!” He yells.

I crack up.  “No, not quite.  I needed some help so he came to see me.  That’s all it was.  He fell asleep at my place.”

“Ohhh, so are you guys dating?” Fay grins.  “Like in secret?”

“Shit, no!” Justin yells at her.  “Seriously Fay!”

I’m blushing, but Justin is completely freaking out.  I look at him and can see how red his face has gotten, how harshly he’s breathing, and I know it’s up to me to calm the situation down.  “We’re friends,” I tell her, calmly.  “You know…that’s all.”

“Hmph.”  She smiles to herself.  “Seems like there’s more here.  You guys are cute together.”

“There’s not more here, and we aren’t cute.  There’s not and there won’t be…just…no.”  Justin looks like he’s just about to fall over and die, and I don’t know what to make of his attitude.  

“We’re friends.  He’s a great friend to me, Fay,” I speak up.  “Sometimes I don’t know how I would have gotten through the past few months if it weren’t for him.”

He stares at me, his grumpy expression falling away into a soft smile.  

“It’s a shame, you know?” Fay says.  “I’d love to see him settled with a nice girl like you.  I’m going to go get Matilda to turn on a hokey Christmas special while dinner cooks.  Feel free to join in, if you want to Maggie.”

She glides away from us, and doesn’t look back.  I can hear her talking to Matilda moments later, and know that we are finally alone.

“She’s pretty sure of herself,” I laugh at him.  

“Yeah,” he grunts.  “It figures that she’s having one of her really good days.  She can talk about how pathetic I am a mile a minute.”

“Come on, she was just having some fun, Justin.”

“She doesn't know when to stop.  That was fuckin’ embarrassing. I mean…it’s not like you’ve ever been here before and I wanted it to be special for you, not twenty questions from my sister.”

“Justin I like being here.  She’s great.”

“She’s always on me to find someone,” he goes on, oblivious to what I’ve just said.  “I go on dates upon dates upon dates.  She just doesn’t get it.  I’m not fucking interested in anybody else.”  He starts rubbing the seasoning into the meat harshly.  

“Anybody else?”

He looks up at me suddenly, like he just realized what he said.  “Well I…you know, I mean, I’m not interested in them.  Those women.”

“Then who are you interested in?  You said you’re not interested in anybody else, as in…there’s only one person you’re interested in.  Am I making sense?”

He won’t look at me.  Now I’m the one who’s uncomfortable.

 “You’ve been acting strange since the other night,” I say.

He laughs it off.  “I did see you naked.”

“And?”

“I dunno.” He shrugs.  “It’s nothing, really.  I care about you, that’s all, as a friend.”

“As a friend?”

“Yeah.”

“You’re sure?”

“Maggie, you’re a great girl, but you’re not my type,” he laughs a little but gets serious.  “You know? I mean, we’re different people.  I love you as a friend and everything, but you and I would never work.”

My heart sinks.  I don’t get it.  It shouldn’t matter.  “So who is your type then?  Anorexic model pretty? Bitchy?”

“Pretty much.”

I roll my eyes.  “Now I’m nauseated.”

“Why?”

“Because I know you’re full of it, Justin.”r32;

“Huh?” He looks up, his eyes wide, his expression full of fear.

“You hate those kinds of women.  What happened? Did you just forget that I’ve known you for the past five years?  You may hide most things from me, but I still know some things about you.  I mean, what the hell was that back there on the stairs? You were stuttering, trying to tell me something, and then you just ran away.”

“It was nothing.” He laughs and shakes his head, then desperately tries to focus on the roast.

It’s undeniable.  I can’t sit here and tell myself that Justin doesn’t have more-than-friends feelings for me. It’s obvious, but the question is, how long has he felt this way?  “So look me in the eyes right now, and tell me you don’t have feelings for me.”

“UNCLE JUSTIN!” Tylers voice booms from upstairs.  “I CAN’T GET MY PANTS ON!”

He doesn’t move, doesn’t flinch, just stares at me.

“I’m waiting for an answer.”

“What about you?” He whispers.

“This isn’t about me.”

“Yeah it is.  It works both ways.”

“I…”  I stare at him.  Into those eyes that I’ve look into a million times before, and I feel that energy between us.  I don’t know if it’s the first time I’ve realized it, or if I have subconsciously when we’ve been at happy hour, being drunk and silly together.  I remember putting my arms around him, laughing with him, but thinking nothing of it.

This is different.

I’m single now.

‘UNCLE JUSTIN!”

“You better go,” I whisper.

“Oh-hh no.” He snickers.  “You got us in this predicament.  We’re going to get out of it now.  He can wait.”

“I didn’t get us into anything.”

He rinses his hands and after drying them, walks around the island and right up to me.  “You brought it up.”

“Well it was more Fay than anything.”

“Still,” he whispers.  “You could have dropped it once she went into the living room.”

I know I could have.  That’s really bothering me now. Damn him for pointing it out.  “I haven’t really thought about it.”

“So if I said that I did have feelings for you…that…”  He licks his lips and inches a little closer to me.  “That maybe I always have.  What would you say?”

The shock hits me right in the chest and I can’t speak, all I can do is stare at him. 

"Now I'm the one who's waiting for an answer," he smirks.

“A minute ago you said things with us would never work.  Where are you pulling this out of?  Are you being serious?” I say.

Suddenly his emotions give it all away.  I see that look in his eyes.  The one that can only be associated with a strong emotional connection with someone else, and all I can think is that Justin might have fallen for me not just recently…

But a really long time ago.

“I’m serious,” he manages.  “I would never make that up.  Not when it comes to you, Mags.  I just…I’ve been sort of a coward I guess.  I haven’t been able to tell you how I feel.  Right now, it doesn’t make sense to keep it from you, even if things will change because of it.”

“Justin—“

“So how do you feel?” He whispers, keeping eyes locked onto mine.

I stare back at him, my breath caught in my throat, and the only thing I can come up with is: “Speechless.”

“Speechless, but…what?”

“But I…I can’t make myself tell you to back off,” I confess, my heart racing as the sweat begins to bead on my forehead.

“What if I kissed you?”

I feel my eyes go wide, he’s right in front of me know, inches from my face, and I have no idea if I should run away, or if I should let him…let him do this.  “Kissed me?”

He reaches out and every so slightly trails a couple of fingers down my cheek.  “I…I dream about it, you know, kissing you.”

Justin never would have made my lists of romantics.  He’s the type to stumble with his words when he gets nervous, and constantly shies away from affection.  Right now I would never know it.  He’s captured me right where I’m most vulnerable, and the only thing I can do is stare back at him, my mouth hanging open slightly, practically drooling because I’ve started to realize how amazing he smells and how handsome he truly is.  “You dream about me?”

“Yeah.  All the time.  Does that make me a creep?”

“A creep?” I chuckle.  “No.  I just…I guess I wish I had known this before.”

“I’m a chicken shit,” he mutters.  “I’ve wanted to say all of this to you, for years.  I just couldn’t make myself do it, until tonight.”

“Well,” I sigh.  “I mean, if you want to kiss me so badly,  I guess you can consider it more payback for the tub incident.”  

Have I completely lost my mind?

“Payback huh?” He smiles and laughs a little bit.  “It’s more like a Christmas gift, don’t you think?”

“Well I mean if…”

I start to say it but he doesn’t hesitate to take me up on my offer.  It takes him just seconds to tuck a strand of hair back behind my ear and hold my face in both of his hands, before giving me the most passionate kiss I think I’ve ever received in my lifetime, right in the middle of his kitchen.

Chapter 10 by ialwayzbesingin

December 24, 2014

7:30 pm

Timberlake Residence

43 Berry Hill Rd, Oyster Bay, NY

“UNCLE JUSTIN!”

I think I hear Tyler’s voice somewhere far away, but I can’t focus on him.  For the first time in a while, the only thing I can keep my focus on is my heart, and how much I fucking love this woman.

Her lips taste sweet, like vanilla and strawberry and her hair smells like a meadow after it’s rained.  It feels like silk between my fingertips, her hair, and the skin on her face and neck feels like satin.  The same way her legs were that night I had to help get her dressed.  I’ve fallen even deeper into Maggie Dawson in the matter of a few seconds, and I don’t know how the fuck I’m supposed to come back from this.  

How can I?

This has to be a rebound for her.  She can’t possibly have the same feelings for me that I do for her.  It’s impossible because she just got out of a relationship, and I’ve never had a meaningful one in my life.

I should stop kissing her.  I should stop right now before I get myself into more trouble, or someone sees me doing this.

But I can’t stop.

This is all I’ve ever wanted, after all.  Here, with her in my arms, my lips on hers, knowing I have her emotional attention.  If I never received another promotion, or another gift of any kind for the rest of my life I’d be fine with that as long as I didn’t have to give her up.  I’ve got it bad for her.  It’s like a sickness, but I don’t want to be cured.  

I’m only afraid of what’s going to happen when we finally stop kissing.  Is she going to stay? Is she going to try this thing with me? Or is she just going to apologize and tell me she’s not ready? I have to be prepared either way, and I know that.  I can’t be a child about it, but at the same time, my heart is completely out in the open right now.  I did it.  I went there, let my emotions flood her and hoped for the best.  I don’t know what sparked it, really.  My sister got on my last nerve, and it got Mags curious.  I guess I finally decided it was time to tell her.  It’s Christmas.  Time to go big or go home right?

My oven beeps.

“Preheated.”  Mags pants, breaking our passionate round of kissing.

“It’s okay,” I laugh lightly and grab her lips with mine one more time.

‘UNCLE JUSTIN!!”

“Tyler,” she whispers.

“I…I can’t…I can’t focus on that right now.”  I go in for another kiss, but she pulls away.

“You have to.”  She smooths her hair out and sighs.  “Justin, this isn’t the best time.”

“Oh…” I look down at the ground.

Shit.

Maybe she’s not into it.  It was fluke, yeah.  I mean, I’m just me and she’s beautiful, and amazing.  It would never work.

“I just…I need to catch my breath,” she says quickly.  “Justin, it’s fine.  You didn’t do anything wrong.”

“I didn’t think…Maggie…” I shake my head.  “I just…”

“How long have you felt this way?”  She continues to run a hand through her mess of hair.  “I mean, was this random or…”

“I think you’re beautiful,” I say it gently.  I can’t lie anymore.  It’s not fair to me, or to her.  “I think you’re the most beautiful woman I’ve ever met, inside and out.  If that makes me corny or lame…fine.  I’m not good at this stuff.  I’ve never had a girlfriend.  My life has been planned out from the moment I was born, and if my parents had their way, I would have been married to one of their socialite friends daughters years ago.  I was seeing this one girl before I met you…Diana, but then you got hired and I met you at the office.  You were the first woman I could talk to that didn’t seem to care who my father was.  I…I had never had that before, you know?  I never had a friend that just wanted to hang out, and drink after work, because they liked me for me. I didn’t know what to do after those first few weeks.  I knew I felt a certain way about you, but you were practically engaged.  I just kept my mouth shut, and I stopped seeing Diana.  My dates have been pointless ever since, because I wanted them to be.  There’s no one else for me, Mags.  There’s never been.”

“You think I’m beautiful?” She cocks her head to the side, seemingly in awe.

“I do,” I nod.  “And I don’t think someone like Hunter, deserves to breathe the same air as you do.  You deserve everything, Mags.  You deserve someone that’s going to cherish you.  I don’t have a clue if I’m that guy, all I know is that I don’t want to keep going like this.  Every time I see you, and we say goodbye, it hurts.  I just…I need you Maggie.  You’re everything to me.”

“Wow I just…I mean…”

“What?”

“It’s just a lot.” She shakes her head a little.  “I had no idea, Justin.”

“I know it’s a lot, but I had to tell you.  Keeping it bottled up was killing me, and right now, with Fay and everything else, I can’t afford to have that weight on my shoulders.  It’s kind of a now or never thing, you know? I don’t expect you to be with me.  I just figured the right thing to do, would be to tell you.  I didn’t count on…what just happened.”

She smiles slightly.  “I liked it.”

I feel myself blushing.  “Yeah?”

“Yeah.”

“Uncle Justin!” Tyler comes plodding into the kitchen, holding his pants up at his waist with one hand.  “I can’t get the button through these pants!”

Maggie and I start laughing together, and I immediately feel right at home with her.  This is normal for us, laughing together.  Kissing? Not so much, but it seems as if the moment has passed.  I have no idea if she wants to continue, or just forget it happened.  Either way, at least I went there, finally, after all these years.

I’m proud of myself.

I help Tyler with his pants while Mags takes a seat back by the island and watches us with a soft smile on her face.  She hasn’t run away, which I guess is good, but with dinner, presents, and Fay’s nightly routine well on the way, I have no idea when we’ll be able to continue our conversation.  Maybe its better to prolong the inventible.  I’ll have more time with her this way.
“There.” I finish adjusting Tyler’s pants and smile for him while I ruffle his hair.  “Good as new, but you know, you really need to learn how to do this on your own bud.”

“It’s just these ones,” he pouts.  “The button is too little.”

“Go on.” I roll my eyes and pat his behind a little.  “Mommy has the Christmas shows on.  I’ll let you know when it’s time to come back in.”

“Do you think I’ll get the Xbox One?”

I shrug.  “One never knows.  I hear Santa’s been in a pretty good mood this year though.”  I glance back at Maggie and she’s trying hard to stifle her laughter.  

“There’s no such thing,” Tyler tells me with a smirk.  “Daniel from my class told me he found his Christmas presents in the hall closet.”

Damn kid is growing up way too fast.  Last year he couldn’t wait to put out the cookies and milk, and now he’s getting “too cool” for Santa Claus.  “That’s because Santa doesn’t visit Daniel’s house, so his parents have to buy his presents instead.  Good thing me and Santa are like this.” I cross my fingers.  “Right Mags?” I wink at her.

“Oh yeah, we just saw him before we got here, on the train.”

Tyler’s eyes go wide.  “On the train?”

“Yep,” Maggie continues.  “And he told me that he was upset, because he heard a little boy named Tyler had started not to believe in him.  He had an Xbox in his bag and everything, said he was going to have to give it to someone else.”

My  nephew’s mouth drops open a little and he looks up at me longingly.  “He’s gonna give it to someone else?”

I shrug.  “Well he can only give it to someone that believes, Ty.”

“I believe!” He jumps up and down.  “I made extra cookies n’ everything! I did! Can you tell him Uncle Justin?”

“I think we have his number, don’t we Mags?”
r32;“Well…” She pulls her cell out of her pocket and stares at the screen seriously.  “It just so happens that I didn’t delete it, so I say you still have a shot at that Xbox, Ty.  But only if you’re well behaved for the rest of the night, and get to bed on time.”

“I will!” He yells it at both of us.  “I’ll do all of that!”

“All right, we’ll try to relay the message, but you have to go inside.  Santa doesn’t like too many people knowing his routine tonight, after all.”

“Okay! Mom! Mom! Uncle Justin is calling Santa!”
He runs off and I smile.  “Crisis averted,” I whisper to Mags, who is laughing quietly to herself.

“You’re great with him,” she nods.  “You really are.”

“You’re not so bad yourself.  He’s usually not this comfortable around company.  Thanks for playing along.”

She shrugs.  “Least I can do.  So um…and if this is too forward, just tell me…”

I shake my head.  “I think at this point, we can pretty much say whatever we want to each other.”

She laughs.  “Yeah, I guess so.”

“Shoot.”

“What’s going to happen to Tyler?”

“You mean…when Fay goes?”

Maggie nods.

I’d like to say that I haven’t thought that far ahead, but the truth is, we planned that all out once I moved Fay into my house.  She sat with me and I drew up her will with her.  She wants Tyler placed in my care once she enters a facility, and I’ve been preparing myself for it.  The fact that it’s happening sooner rather than later is a lot for me to take in, but I know I’ll have no problem raising my nephew.  I have all the resources, and we’re so close that he’ll be comfortable with the transition.  Fay says I’m the best person to raise him, because I’ll give him a real childhood.  We both know that our parents would ship him off to a fancy boarding school the first chance they got, because they believe it’s the best way to educate a child and prepare them for the real world.

Hell will freeze over before I’ll allow him to end up like me.

“I’m going to take care of him,” I say softly.  “It’s the best solution, because he’s really attached to me, and I love him like a son.  He’s the biggest reminder I’ll have of Fay too, when she…you know.”

“Yeah.  Well, I think that’s really noble of you Justin.  There aren’t too many men our age that would be up to that type of challenge.  It makes you…I dunno, special, I guess.”

“I don’t know about special.” I chuckle.  “I’m just doing what I think is right for Ty.”

“I think you’re special,” she whispers.

We stare at each other for a long time, getting lost in the moment.  I want to continue what I was saying to her before. I want to figure this thing out with us, and I almost start in, but the obnoxious bonging of the doorbell stops me.

Who the hell is coming to my house now? I’m really not that popular.

“I’ll get it.”  Matilda whizzes by me, and I’m thankful, since my hands are full of seasoning and raw meat juice.

“Thought you didn’t have friends,” Maggie smirks.

“I don’t.”  I stare down the hallway, dreading what is probably coming next.

“Hello Matilda.”

My blood runs cold.

“Merry Christmas Mr. Timberlake, Mrs. Timberlake.”

“Be a dear and take my mink.”

“Of course.”

“We have some packages in the trunk. Please start unloading them, Matilda.”

“Right away.”

Shit. No.  Damn it.  Of all the nights…

“Justin!”

My mother rushes into the kitchen, her arms open toward me, just like every holiday.  Her face is freshly nipped and tucked, as per norm, her lips shining and thick with what’s surely a recent shot of Botox.   I swear to God, one of these years I’m going to be having Christmas with the reincarnation of Michael Jackson.  

She embraces me tightly, and the nausea quickly takes over.  That’s normal too.  I’ve never felt comfortable hugging my parents, because they never hugged me when I was a child.  I’ve always found it foreign, and odd, even though it’s one of the most basic signs of affection out there.  

“H-hey, Ma.”  I pat her back awkwardly, and do my best to pull away from her.  Maggie meets my gaze after a moment, and she seems confused and concerned all in one.  I wish I could have prepared her, but I didn’t think we’d be seeing them until tomorrow.  I begin to pray that they don’t notice her.  I don’t need to expose her to their stupidity and ignorance on Christmas Eve.

“Oh, it’s so good to finally see you.” She gives me a kiss on the cheek and forehead, and I can feel the lipstick seeping into my skin.  “Where’s your sister and Tyler? We brought gifts!”

“Um…in the living room…I thought we’d just see you tomorrow.”

“Nonsense.” She gives me a fake smile, and I know they’ve planned to sabotage our Christmas Eve since the beginning of the week. “You come to our house every year, it’s about time we changed things up.  It smells wonderful.  I hope you saved me a plate of cookies.”  

She pinches my cheek and I force a smile.

“Justin.”

I look up, and see Benjamin standing in front of me.  He looks intimidating as always, pissed off too, but that’s nothing new.  “Sir.” I nod.

“Emma why don’t you go and find Tyler.”  My father smiles and rubs my mothers shoulders.  

“Who is this!”

My mother has discovered Maggie, but that was inevitable.

She slides off her barstool and makes her way over to my parents.  “Maggie Dawson.  I work at the law firm with Justin.”

“Oh?”  My mother gives me a suspicious glance.  “And you’re here with Justin for the holiday?”

She eyes me nervously.  “Well, yes.  I ended up having nothing to do so…Justin graciously offered to make a place at the table for me.”

“That’s lovely.  I’ve been hoping he would bring a nice girl home one of these holidays.  Are you single dear?”

Maggie’s cheeks turn deep crimson.  

“Mom!”

My mother laughs.  “He’s so bashful.”  She comes over and pinches my cheek once more, giving my face a playful little slap.  “It’s adorable.  He’s always been my adorable little man.”

Maggie can’t seem to hold in her laughter, and I rub my face with my hands to hide my embarrassment.

“Grammy!”

Saved by the Tyler.

“There’s my other little man!” My mother hollers and rushes over to where he’s standing.  “Give me a squench and tell me about your day…”

Her voice gets fainter as she carries him off into the living room where Fay is.  Benjamin has been left alone with me now, and that’s always been the perfect combination for disaster.

I pray I can keep my temper at bay tonight.

“Maggie Dawson?”  My father smirks slightly and strokes his chin.  “Didn’t you just lose that…”

“Not now,” I snap at Benjamin.  “Not right now, okay?”

“Well I’m just curious,” he laughs.  “Biggest case loss on the market right now, so I’ve heard.”

Maggie just nods as her cheeks turn crimson.  “Well, yeah.”

“And you still have a job?”

“They didn’t fire me, if that’s what you mean.”

Benjamin chuckles.  “Old Barry decided to cut you a break, huh?”

Maggie won’t look at him, and I can tell that she’s extremely uncomfortable.  Shit, if anyone can drive her away tonight, it’s Benjamin.  “Uh-huh.”

“Good man, Fink.” Benjamin nods.  “Good businessman.”

I cringe.  “That’s enough,” I mutter.  “Please, dad.”

“Speaking of business,” My father turns his attention to me now.  “Have you signed yet, Justin?”

I grit my teeth, and ball my fists tightly at my sides.  “I just got it today.”

“Well I don’t see the need for hesitation.  You’re either taking the promotion or you’re not.”

“You just fuckin’ got here,” I spit out. “You can’t wait ten minutes before you start in?”

“It’s a simple question.”

“I’m not doing this right now.  Not tonight.”  I shake my head roughly.  “If you want to visit with Tyler and Fay, fine.  As long as you’re focusing on the holiday, I don’t have a problem with you being here.”

“Your mother wanted to spend Christmas Eve here, but I came to discuss some things with you before tomorrow.  After dinner, I need some time with you alone.”

My stomach lurches.  I can only imagine what that conversation will entail.  “It’s Christmas.”

“And some things can’t wait,” he says sternly.

“So let’s have it then,” I snap.  “Right now.  You were here earlier, upsetting Fay.  I’m sure it has something to do with that.”

My father glances at Maggie, who has been sitting silently since his remarks about the Garbin case.  “I’d rather talk in private.”
I sigh heavily, but realize it’s probably better to cover whatever it is with him now, so I can get them both fed and out of here in time to keep my sanity.  “Fine.”

“In the study,” he orders.

I glare at him as he walks out of the kitchen.  Then I open the oven and practically throw my prime rib inside of it, slamming the door harshly.  “Fuck.”  I breath it heavily into my hands and run them over my head and down the back of my neck.

“Are you going to be all right?”

I look up suddenly.  Shit, right, Maggie.  “I um…I’m so sorry,” I rasp.  “If I had known that they were going to show up I wouldn’t have invited you out.”

“I’m not offended or anything.  The guy is an asshole but it’s not your fault.”

I feel the small smirk pulling at my lips.  She really does understand every part of my life, and it’s so uncanny.  Before today, I hadn’t shared any aspect of my personal life with her.

I know that she’s the only woman I’ll ever need, I’m just so unsure about our status, and that’s my own fault for kissing her prematurely.

“I hate to leave you again,” I manage.

“I’m sure Fay will come up with a way to entertain me.”  Maggie smiles and gets off the stool so she can walk right up to me.  “Since you’re preoccupied.”

I gaze into those amazing eyes of hers, and I can’t help but smile.  She’s really here, right here in front of me, and for the moment at least, I forget that Benjamin is waiting for me in my study.  “What’s going to happen now?” I whisper, gently reaching out so I can rub my hands across her shoulders and down her arms.

“I guess we have a couple of days to figure it out.”

She leans in and kisses me, letting her lips linger on mine for a few precious seconds, running her fingers through my hair and down the back of my neck.  It makes the hairs there stick straight up.  Goosebumps.  I can’t remember the last time I had those.

There’s no more questions.  I just…know…that she wants to try this with me, as fast and crazy as it’s turning out to be.  For some reason, I seem to be worth it to her.  She’s putting her insecurities to the side, and that means more to me than she’ll ever know.

“I’ll see you in a bit.”  She pulls away and winks at me,  flashing me her amazing smile before walking off into the living room.

I stare after her until I can’t see her anymore, and then I know I don’t have a choice but to follow up with my father.  With a large sigh, I force my feet to start moving, and head towards my study.  Naturally he’s there, sitting at my desk, waiting for me to sit across from him.  I feel like I’m at work.  He’s sitting in my executive chair and thumbing through paperwork on my desk that isn’t any of his business.

I hate him, but I have to put up with whatever it is he’s here to discuss.

“Shut the door.”

I do it, and then I take a seat.  “What is it?”

“I came to talk to Fay earlier about events going forward.”

“Verdan,” I mutter.

“Among other things, yes.”

“Fay already told me.  She wants to move in after the New Year.  I’m not happy about it but I’m not going to tell her how to spend her time.  Is that all?”

I hold my breath.

“No.  Not quite.”  He leans forward, a stern, commanding expression on his face.  It’s one I know well, from my childhood, when he was about to lay down the law and tell me how my life was going to be.

I swallow hard.

“Justin, I know you have every intention of becoming Tyler’s guardian once Fay moves into Verdan.”

Tyler.  

“You’re not getting him.”  I say it angrily.  

“Justin…”

“You’re not fucking getting him.” I stand up and narrow my eyes at him.  “That’s what this is about?  You came here and told Fay what your plans were, didn’t you? How the hell could you do that? You know how it’s been.  She’s been worse!”

“I was trying to talk some sense into her.” He says, keeping his voice low as he stands up.  He comes around the desk and cross his arms, staring me down intimidatingly.  “You’re a fool if you think you can be attentive given your career and where it’s going.”

“I can handle it.”

“I don’t agree,” he sighs.  “Tyler deserves the best kind of education.  The type of education I provided for you and Fay when you were young.  He’ll grow with his peer group and attend an ivy league university.”

I step up to him and lean my face right into his.  “You. Are not. Getting him.”

“Do you really think I want to bring this to the courts?  Losing Fay is hard enough on the family.”

“Go ahead,” I grit out.  “I learned all my slimy tactics from you, and you’ve never given a damn about the ALS.  You wanted to toss her in a home right from the start.  I’ve been the one killing myself for all this time, because I love her.  In fact, she’s named me in the will as guardian.”

“A judge has to agree to that first, and Justin, I promise you, I will take you down,” he says darkly.  “It pays to have friends in high places…judges, social workers, DA’s.  They’re all on my speed dial, so don’t push me.  I’ll end your career.  I’ll make you the laughing stock of the legal world, like your pretty co worker in there.  You’ll lose this house, and I’ll make sure you don’t even get visitation.”

I let out a bitter laugh.  “You heartless prick.”

“Think about what I’ve said,” he nods, ignoring my comment.  “We’ll talk after the holidays, once Fay is settled into Verdan.  Getting Tyler acclimated to life at our house will be easier if it’s done right away.  I suggest you have a talk with him about this, and then call me so we can arrange something.”

“No.” I shake my head.  “No I’m not fucking giving into you!  I won’t!”

“Son,” Benjamin sighs and puts a hand on my shoulder.  “I know what’s best.  I always have, and the family has stood it’s ground through thick and thin because of that.  This is for your own good.  In ten years, when you have your own family and you’ve taken over that firm, you’ll thank me for taking the burden of raising a child alone off your shoulders.”

He gives my shoulder one more light pat, and then he leaves me there, alone with my thoughts.

I want to crumble, scream, cry, beg for help of any kind.  I can’t though.  All I can do is stand in the middle of my office, shocked that my father has gotten the best of me once again. It doesn’t even matter what Fay wants, because in the end, Benjamin is going to take custody of my nephew and throw him in a boarding school for the next ten years. I’ve lost before I’ve even started.

I’m a failure.  I’m about to let my sister down.  Her dying wish…I can’t even follow through with it.  My father is too powerful.  He’s not wrong about taking me down.  I know it would be quick and very painful, once I faced him in court.  There’s no denying how many people he knows or how much pull he has.

I’m just…helpless, and I’m going to lose the one thing I’ll have left, once Fay passes away.

Chapter 11 by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
Sorry for the delay!


December 24, 2014

11:00 pm

Timberlake Residence

43 Berry Hill Rd, Oyster Bay, NY


The best thing about tonight was the food.  Well…no.  It’s probably a tie between the food and discovering Justin for the first time.  I thought I knew him before, but tonight has been a mind blowing look into the person he actually is.  I guess I’ve started to realize what I’ve been missing out on.  He really is the best kind of friend and romance prospect wrapped into one.  I can see how genuine his feelings are for me, and deep down I know he only has my best interest at heart.  He really cares about me, I think, more than Hunter ever could.

It’s a little scary, and a lot to take in tonight, but for some reason I’ve been fine dealing with it.  The more intense my feelings get, the more I want to stay right by his side, smiling and laughing with him.  Oh yeah, and kissing him too.

That’s been my favorite thing so far, although, we haven’t been able to touch on any of that since before dinner.

I could tell something serious went down between Justin and his father after their private discussion.  Justin looked so painstakingly heartbroken that it took all of my strength not to run right over and throw my arms around him, damning his father to the high heavens.  I knew my input wouldn’t have been well received by anyone, so I figured the best thing I could do was remain the silent partner while he focused on getting the rest of dinner together.  

“What’s in that one?”

Justin holds the wrapped gift out in his arms and shakes it slightly before the smirk appears on his face.  “Star Wars Lego play set.”

Fay grins as Justin bends down to place it under the tree amongst the dozens of other gifts.  “He’s going to flip out in the morning.  We totally spoiled him rotten.”

“Yeah,” Justin nods and sighs a little.  “He deserves it though.”

Fay can barely look at him.  

Their parents left right after dinner, with the reassurance from Justin that he would bring Tyler to Christmas at their house the next evening.  Despite how delicious the meal was (and I mean delicious as in, I just ate at the best restaurant in Manhattan), neither his mother or father complimented Justin on his efforts.  The conversation mainly revolved around Tyler.  Mrs. Timberlake kept asking him what he thought he was going to get for Christmas and what he did to celebrate the holiday at school.  Mr. Timberlake was mostly silent, aside from the few mutterings of ‘that’s my boy’ every time Tyler would say something that pleased him.  Justin and Fay seemed to force their laughter and play along with their mothers mood, and I guess it was a good thing. Nobody seemed to want to ruin Christmas Eve for Tyler, and getting along for the duration of the meal was the most mature thing the family could have done.  

I seemed to become invisible to his parents as soon as dinner began, but I liked it better that way.  If anything, it helped Justin get his sister fed in peace.  I could tell it wasn’t the easiest task for him, cutting her food, feeding her, wiping her mouth, making sure her bib caught any excess, and helping her to take sips of her drink. It was all so sad, and I have to say, I don't think I’ve ever met someone with as much stamina as Justin.  If it were me, with one of my family members, I’d surely break down.  The emotional strain would just be too much.  But Justin kept that smile on for her the whole time, laughing with her when she made fun of herself for drooling between bites.  I realized he would have sat there with her all night, even if that meant he wouldn’t be able to eat his own dinner.

Come to think of it, his plate is still on the table.

“So what did Dad say?” Fay says it wearily, barely looking at her brother as he continues to put the rest of the gifts under the tree.

Justin shrugs slightly.  “I’d rather not talk about it right now. Let’s just enjoy the holiday.”

“Are you going to let him do this?”

It takes him a minute to rise up from the floor and turn to face his sister again.  I just look at the floor, debating if I should step out of the room or not.  I feel his eyes on me for a few seconds, but I don’t meet his gaze.  I just don’t feel it’s my place to have any type of an opinion, and that includes showing physical remorse for what he’s going through.

“What choice do I have?”

“You’re a good lawyer.”

“Fay…”

“Damn it,” she groans harshly.  “Justin he can’t rule the both of us.  I don’t want you to just…hand Tyler over to Dad like he has every right to him.  We both know what’s best.”

I suddenly realize what Justin and his father were talking about.  A custody battle on Christmas.  That has to be one of the harshest things I’ve ever heard of.  

“It doesn’t matter what’s best,” Justin whispers.  “He’ll ruin me.”

“He said that?”

“Of course he said that.  He’s right, too.”

“You’re a fucking wimp, you know?”

I look up, and see Justin staring back at his sister, his eyes filled with sadness.  I don’t think he knows what to do.  He has a backbone when it comes to a lot of things, like his career, and more recently me, but his father…his father seems to have a type of control over him that he can’t shake.  

“If I take this to court, you know he’ll just win anyway, and he’ll drag Tyler through it to spite me, Fay.  Is that what you want?”

“I don’t want Tyler to go to shool… berwdeng shool…bershin…”  She stops herself and lets out a painful sigh, gazing down at her lap as the tears begin to crawl down her face.  

“Fay.”  Justin goes to her side and holds her face in his hands.  “Come on, look at me. Focus.  The doctor says if you focus it passes faster.”

“I dun cur! Lef ma ‘lone.”  She turns her head away from him, still sobbing.  “Qerter!”

“I’m not a quitter!” He yells back at her as she begins to back her chair away from him.  “You know how it is!”

“Fuck you.” She gets it out clearly this time, boldly, and stares him down with a cold gaze. “You…prewmised may.”

Justin says nothing.  I don’t think he can.  The most he can seem to do is give me a pitiful look before storming out of the room, leaving me there with his sister, who seems more distraught than she did just a second ago.  I have no idea what to do.  I’m usually the one that needs comfort, not a stranger.  

“Mmm shooray.”  She sobs.

“No…you don’t have to be sorry,” I whisper.  “I mean, I’ve never been through a situation like this, but I’m sure it must be difficult.”

She sniffles slightly, and turns her chair back around so she can face me.  “Ken yew wap ma fesh?”

It takes me a moment, but I finally get it.  “Wipe your face?”

She nods.

“Sure.”  I grab a few tissues from an end table and go to her side, gently wiping the trails off her cheeks and the fresh tears from around her eyes.  

She draws in a long breath, and after a moment, she seems to have gotten a little bit of her stamina back because her speech starts to clear up.  “Mmmm…Maggie.”

“Yes.”

She looks at me with this crazy desperation in her eyes, seeming to pull the last of her energy together for the night so she can hold her head high and act somewhat normal.  It’s almost as if I’m her last line of defense, and that’s just nuts because she barely knows me, and I’m definitely not the greatest person to rely on for anything right now considering the emotional wreck I’ve been.  

“Heesh all alone,” she whispers, her voice trembling as she tries to keep the slurring at bay.  “It may not sheem like it, but he ish.  He’s terrified and…and ‘m ’bout to go into assishted livshing.  Once that happens h-h-he’ll do whatever my father tells him to.  That’s how he’s always been, and…I c-c-can’t hold it against him.  I’ve acshept….ac-c-cepted that.” She pauses and takes a few seconds to catch her breath.  “But he needs….shoom…s-someone to be here for him when shit starts to get hard.  And I know it will g-get v-very hard, very quickly.”

I know what she’s trying to ask me.  She wants me to stick by her brother, no matter what.  The thing about that is, I already do.  Romance aside, he’s my very best friend, and he’s been there for me at my lowest points, regardless of the issues he was dealing with at home.  I’ll do anything to make it up to him.  “I’m not going anywhere,” I tell her softly.  “I care about your brother very much.”

She nods slightly.  “I know you do, but he’s an expert at pushing people away.  I hope you won’t let him.”

“I won’t.” I say it seriously, but something is telling me that she doesn’t completely believe it.

“I’m going to turn in,” she sighs, her voice full of exhaustion.  “Merry Christmas Maggie.  I’ll see you at some point tomorrow.”

“Merry Christmas.”

She gives me a sad little smile, before gliding out of the room.  I can hear Justin talking to her from inside the kitchen moments later.  He keeps apologizing, and she continues to tell him it’s not a problem, that she just wants to go to bed, her speech moving in and out of that slurring phase.  Then it’s silent for, God, what seems like hours.

And then…then he’s just there again, in the entranceway to the living room, but this time I can tell how exhausted he is.

“Are you okay?”

He licks his lips and plasters on his perfect smile for me.  “I’m great, Mags.”

“Please don’t tell me that.” I narrow my eyes at him.  “Justin, if this whole thing with us is going to work, I need you to be honest with me.  I need you to tell me when you feel like you’re losing your mind, because I don’t see how you couldn’t be at this point.”

That smile fades away to nothing.  He’s serious now, almost angry, but I won’t back down.  That’s not what he needs.  He needs someone to be real with him for the first time ever.  Someone besides his sister.  

“It’s not right for me to burden you with my problems,” he whispers.

“Oh but it’s perfectly fine for me to burden you with mine?”

He shrugs and crosses the room so he can plop down onto the couch.  His shoulders sag, he sighs, and then he rubs his face with his hands.  “Helping you through your problems always took me away from mine,” he confesses.  “I never had a problem with it.”

“You can’t hide in my problems anymore.”

He meets my gaze.  “I know, and…I guess that scares me most of all.”

I sit down beside him, and look down at my lap for a few moments, before finding my voice again.  “Your sister is afraid.  She thinks you’re going to push everyone away, and be all alone after she’s out of the picture.”

“She said that to you?”

“Yeah.”

He laughs bitterly.  “She just expects me to move on right away.  That’s the problem.  How am I supposed to? She’s been my whole family for as long as I can remember.  She’s…she’s dying, you know? I feel like I’m losing everything I’ve ever cherished in the world, and then my father wants to raise Tyler instead of me.  I know he’ll get his way regardless if I fight back.  Why put the kid through all of that? It’s easier just to let go.  At least that way, I’ll be able to see him whenever I want to.”

“Giving in means he still has control of your life, Justin.  This is for Fay.  This is about what she wants for her son, and for you.  It has nothing to do with your father.”

“Don’t you think I know that?” He snaps.  “I know this is what she wants, but he…he’s just too fucking powerful.  I can’t win.”

“You can try.”

“I can’t.” He gives me a look that’s telling me to drop it.

“Then you really are a quitter.”

He gives me the harshest glare of our entire friendship.  “I can’t believe you would say that to me right now.”

“How many times have you told me to toughen up and put Hunter behind me, Justin? How many times have you told me I’m a wreck and I need to snap out of it? The tables have turned now, but for some reason you feel like none of that should apply to you!  You can’t just…quit.  Fay is counting on you and so is Tyler.”

“I just don’t think I’m strong enough.” He shakes his head roughly, buries his face in his hands, and then…

Then he just loses it.

Justin sobs long and hard into his hands, and I can’t deny that it frightens me slightly.  That perfect, put together guy is completely gone, and that’s telling me Justin feels just like this, deep down inside, every single day.  He’s never been able to let go before, and I think he needs this, and what’s more, he needs me to stick by him while he does it.

He needs me to tell him that I’m here for him.

I don’t think, I just wrap my arms around him and pull him towards me.  He automatically turns his face into my chest and just…cries so hard into me.  He cries like a baby, and I let him, because I know he hasn’t been able to do this with anybody.  He’s been alone in his suffering, and it’s nearly killed him.

I can’t let him just…dwindle away as Fay gets weaker and eventually passes away.  It would be a crime, because Justin is a good person who deserves to be happy.  

“I don’t want her to die,” he sobs.  “Maggie I don’t want her to die.  I don’t want to lose her.”

I can’t say anything to him, because I don’t have the response that he’ll want to hear.  I can’t say that his sister isn’t going to die, because that would be a lie.  The only thing I can do, is rub his back and kiss the top of his head as I whisper reassurances in his ear.

“I’m right here, Justin, and I’ll continue to be here.  I’m going to help get you through this, but you can’t quit.  I won’t let you.”

“I’ve never been so scared in my life.”

“Look at me.”  I gently pull away from him, and take his face in my hands, just like he did to me in his kitchen hours ago.  “You don’t have to be scared anymore.”

His eyes search mine frantically.  For what I’m not sure, but when he leans in and kisses me with as much passion as he did earlier, I know he believes what I’ve told him.

“I care about you,” He presses his forehead against mine as our lips part and sniffles.  “I care about you more than anyone I’ve ever known, besides my sister and Tyler.  I want you to know that.  I’m…I’m so sorry, Mags.  I’m sorry I kept it from you…I’m sorry I kept all of this from you.”

The tears escape from my eyes and glide down my face.  “I care about you too.”

He smirks through his tears, before reaching out and brushing my tears away with the tips of his fingers.   Then he kisses me, and I fall away from the glistening Christmas lights and the sound of the crackling fire.  My world is a blur, and the only thing that makes any sort of sense is Justin.  We kiss until we can’t seem to anymore, and then he’s cupping my face in his hand, his gaze asking me if he should move forward with tonight. I can feel him pressing up against me, rock hard inside his pants, and I know what’s coming next.

“Do you want to go up to bed,” I whisper.

He licks his lips nervously.  “Do you?”

Debating is bad.  A million different scenarios pop into my head about what will happen if he takes me up to bed with him.  I could wimp out, or…maybe he won’t like what he sees once we’re naked.  But oh, he’s already seen me naked, right?  I could have a thousand regrets when we wake up, or maybe he won’t even be there when I wake up.  He could tell me it’s too much too soon, and that we should just be friends.  Or maybe I would…

“You’re overthinking this aren’t you?”  He strokes my hair and plants a few gentle kisses on my neck and behind my ear.  

“Yes.”

“Then we’ll wait.”  He continues to kiss my neck.

“There’s no way I can, if you keep doing that.”

He laughs now.  No more tears.

I guess that’s good.

“Do you want to?”  He says it gently, craning his head around to meet my gaze again.  

“Its going to change everything,” I tell him.  “Kissing is one thing…but if we do this, we can’t just be friends anymore.”

“I know.”  He kisses me on the lips.  “But I can’t worry about that.  I want every part of you Mags.  I need to take in every part.”

I feel myself melt into a puddle of goo.  I can barely breathe, hearing him say that to me.  He has no idea how bad that makes me want him, and I feel like I have no more control.  Damn him.  

“Then lets go.”

He smiles.
**********************
December 25, 2014

6:25 am

Timberlake Residence

43 Berry Hill Rd, Oyster Bay, NY


I can’t sleep.  I haven’t been able to all night.

Maggie is a light snorer.  While most people would find it annoying, I find it adorable, and I want this part of her all for myself until the end of time.  I prop myself up on my side and trace a pattern with my fingers all the way down her beautiful naked back until just above where her ass starts.  So smooth.  Like silk.  I’m obsessed.  Despite the fact that she fell asleep hours ago, I haven’t been able to sleep, let alone stop touching her.  She hasn’t seemed to mind, but then again, I think I wore her out.  

I’ve never made love to a woman so passionately before, and I’ve never had a woman give me that same amount of passion right back.  At times I felt we were made to be doing that…all of it.  Our bodies seemed to fit together in all the right places, every touch was electric, every climax was out of this world.  

I never came like that before.  While my dates barely interest me, I can’t deny that I’ve shared my bed with more than just a few women.  None of those experiences can hold a candle to tonight, and it might make me a freak, but I don’t want to spend another night without Maggie at my side.

I just want to love her.  But that’s a lot to throw at her, especially at Christmas, and I can’t afford to scare her away.  My breakdown in the living room was bad enough.  I’ve never cried in front of anyone before, besides Fay.  It was a lot for me to grasp, that Maggie wanted to be there for me, and support me…get me through the moment.  

I hope like hell that she’ll stick around after this.  She warned me, said things will change, and I was ready to accept that. I’m ready for the changes even now, but I have no idea if she is.

I guess I’ll find out.

I kiss the nape of her neck, and she moans sleepily, turning over in my arms and resting her head against my bare chest.  Her eyes drift open after a while, and then she’s gazing right back at me.  I find I can’t hold back my smile from her anymore.  “Hi.”

“Hey.”  She rasps, allowing the smile to creep across her lips.  “Did you sleep?”

“No,” I chuckle, and let my fingers travel through her messy hair.  “I was busy watching you do it for the both of us.”

“You’re obsessed with me, aren’t you?”

“You already knew that,” I laugh.

She reaches up and pulls my face close to hers, and I don’t hesitate to kiss her again, and again.  I can’t get enough of her, naked in my bed, ready for sex.  It’s like a dream come true, and I’m totally ready to pick up where we left off hours ago.  

“UNCLE JUSTIN!”

Bang bang bang

“Shit.”  I groan and lean back against the pillows.

“UNCLE JUSTIN! WHY’S THIS DOOR LOCKED?”

The handle on my door begins to jiggle.  

“It’s Christmas,” I laugh softly, gazing back into her eyes.  “I forgot.  I really did.”

“I can’t say I blame you.” Maggie smiles up at me.  “I sort of forgot too.”

“Merry Christmas.” I whisper.

“Merry Christmas, Justin.”

We fall back into a deep kiss, both of us completely forgetting about the nine year old outside my door that wants to open his gifts.  

Bang Bang Bang

“Maybe we can watch him open gifts, and then get back to what we’re doing,” Maggie laughs.

“I don’t make Matilda come in on Christmas.  I gotta get Fay going,” I groan.  “She’ll never forgive me if she doesn’t get to see Tyler open his gifts. Getting her ready takes about an hour, if she’s feeling okay.”

“Well after that.”

“Gotta take Tyler to my parents,” I say, in-between kisses.  

“After that?”

I chuckle.  “Definitely.  I’ll make a drama free dinner, how about that?”

She narrows her eyes at my seductively.  “Will you feed it to me in bed?”

She’s bad.  I never would have thought she could be this way, flirty, sexy, and kinky, but damn, it’s like she wants to eat steak and drink wine naked in my bed and fuck…fuck I don’t have the time to kill another boner right now.  “You can’t say that shit to me right now.”

She laughs.  

“What are you laughin’ at?”

Her response is a devilish grin and nothing more.

“UNCLE JUSTIN! I WANT TO SEE MY PRESENTS NOW!”

I let out a large breath.  “Oh fuck it.”  

“Justin!”  Maggie cackles.

I dive right into her, ignoring the banging, ignoring everything, so I can focus on Mags.  I take her quickly, but tenderly, biting down on my lip to keep from crying out, and I know she’s doing the same.  

“Oh God,” she pants.  “You can’t just sneak up on me like that.  Jesus.”

I lean back and pull her close, panting harshly.  “Your fault.  Talking about eating naked in bed and shit.”

“I never said that directly, you conjured up that vision on your own.”

“I hate you.”  I can’t hide my smile.

“I know.”

I give her one last kiss.  “I’m going to get Fay dressed.  You can use the shower right through there.” I point toward my bathroom.  “You gonna be okay?”

She props her head up with her hand and gives me a dazzling smile.  “I’ll survive,” she chuckles.  “See you downstairs in a bit.”

My heart sinks as she pulls herself out of my arms and rolls out of bed.  I can’t help but stare at her as she makes her way toward the bathroom, stunningly naked and beautiful from head to do.  When she slips behind the door and it closes, that’s when I know I have to face reality and come down from my Maggie cloud, at least for now.

Bang Bang Bang

I yank my boxers and my undershirt on and stagger out of bed and over to the door, throwing it open to greet my nephew.  He looks impatient and pouty, like I suspected he would.  “Buddy it’s still early,” I tell him.

“I heard you talkin’,” he crosses his arms.  “I wanna open presents!”

“Well let me get mommy ready, okay?”

He shrugs.  “She’s still sleeping.”

“Well I’ll see if I can get her up.  She wants to see you open your gifts, all right bud? You can go get some cereal but I don’t want you opening anything until everybody is ready.”

He groans.  “Okay.”

I smile and ruffles his hair.  “See you in a few minutes.”

He rushes away.  “Hurry up!”

I laugh slightly and shake my head as I make my way down the hall and to Fay’s bedroom.  For the first time in months, I feel a little more free.  It’s like, I have someone to turn to now, regardless of our relationship status.  On Fay’s hardest days, I know I can turn to Mags, talk about it, and work my way through my feelings.

I feel so damn lucky.

“Fay.”

I knock on her door gently before pushing the door open and entering the room.  Fay is asleep, just like I left her last night, her hospital bed more upright than it has been in the past because the doctor said it would help the fluid to flow out of her mouth if she started to drool in her sleep.   Sure enough, her chin and night bib are practically soaked in the stuff, and I rush to her side to clean her up.

“Hey, Fay.”  I smile slightly and run my hand across her cheek.  “You wanna get up? I don’t know how much longer I can keep our little monster out of the presents.”

Her eyes open slowly and she looks up at me, her expression tired, and weak.  She’s just about had it with this battle, and I can’t deny it anymore.

“Merry Christmas.”  I kiss her cheek.

“Mmmmm…Mmmmm….”  She tries to form the words, but she just can’t seem to do it.  She shakes her head roughly.

“Take your time,” I whisper, desperately trying to hold every emotion back for her.  

“Mmmm….”  She shakes her head again.

This could be it.

The doctors told us.  They told us but I didn’t want to believe it.  They said one day she could wake up and not be able to speak anymore.  That the muscles in her throat would start to shut down and speech would be the first thing to go.

It’s gotta just be another bad day.

But even on her worst days, I’ve never seen her this way.

“Just take a deep breath.”

She just shakes her head.

“Fay?”

“Mmmmm.”  Her eyes fill with tears.

She just can’t do it.  

It’s Christmas Day.  She can’t talk anymore, and the last real conversation we ever had was a fight about me quitting on her.

Jesus.

I’ll never forgive myself.

She throws her head back and begins to make grunting sounds in her throat, as loud as she possibly can.  It’s horrible and makes my skin crawl.  She’s doing it because she knows how bad this is going to be from here on out.  She’s lost all hope.

“Fay…shhh…”  It’s all I can do.  I try to hold her and she just shakes her head violently.  It’s the only part of her that she has any control over now.  “I got you…I promise. I’m right here.”

She turns her head roughly to jerk me off.  I do it.  I back off, and stare at her.  She gazes back at me desperately, gritting and struggling, trying to make her mouth open.  Then, miraculously, it does, but it just hangs there.  She can’t close it.  “Aauuuuuuu.”

I know she wants me to call Benjamin, but God damn it, that’s the last call I want to make.  “Not today, Fay.  Please.”

“Aaaaaaaaaauuuu.” She groans it angrily at me and she shakes her head so hard that her upper body slumps forward onto the bed and of course can’t pull her self back up again.  Her jaw still hangs open, and the drool dribbles out of her mouth and onto the bedding.

With shaking hands I gently pull her upright and back against the pillows.  I push her jaw closed gently, but it simply falls open again and she can’t close it. Her head falls down at her chest and she lets out a defeated groan.

The paralysis is taking over now, completely.  

“Uncle Justin! I…”

I turn.  Oh fuck.  No.  Tyler is standing there, a half opened Christmas gift in one hand, and even though he wasn’t supposed to touch them, I can’t even say anything about it right now.  “Ty…go back down.”

“Mommy?” He looks around me, and his eyes widen when he sees the condition she’s in.

“Tyler go back down, I said.”

“Uuuuuuuuurrrrrr.” I can hear Fay groaning from behind me, trying to make him leave.

“What’s wrong with her?” He whimpers.  “What’s wrong with my mommy?”

“Tyler I said go back downstairs.”  I say it to him gruffly, and then push him out into the hall as gently as I can, closing and locking the door behind him.  I can hear him crying now, but it’s better he’s removed from the situation for the time being.

“Urrrrrrr.  Aauuuu.” Fay is groaning it at me, over and over.

I know I don’t have a choice but to call my father.  He’s set everything up.  She can be moved today if that’s what the situation calls for.

I know she’ll be gone by morning.

“I don’t want to make this call,” I whimper.

“Ooooo.”  She nods rapidly.  “Oooooaaa.”

She’s teling me I have to.

I scratch the back of my head, and then I go to the nightstand, pick up the phone and stare down at the key pad.

This is one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do, or accept.  The only thing keeping me sane right now is the thought that Maggie is one room away, she cares about me as much as I care about her, and she’ll be here to support me while I watch the paramedics arrive to deliver my sister to her new home.

I dial.

“Hello?”

It’s him.  “Dad.”

“Son,” he says gruffly.  “Have you given more thought to our conversation?”

“Fay’s speech is completely compromised,” I whimper.  “She wants to go.  Today.”

“Are you sure it’s not just another spell?”

“It’s not.”

“Well…” He trails off and clears his throat.  “I’ll make the call and head over to you right after.”

I hang up on him,  Fay continues to groan and sob because she’s terrified of what’s happening to her.  They say ALS patients eventually feel trapped inside their bodies, and that’s exactly what’s happening to Fay right now.

I can’t even do anything.  I can’t comfort her, because she’ll just want me to get away from her.

I walk out into the hall in a daze, pulling the door closed behind me.  It muffles Fay’s groans, but not by much.  I don’t even realize that my back has hit the wall until I find myself sliding down it, crying hysterically into my hands once I hit the floor.

“Justin, my God… Is that Fay?”

I look up and she’s there, standing in front of me.  Tyler is at her side, clinging to her leg, whimpering.

“She can’t talk,” I shake my head and meet Maggies gaze.  “Fay can’t talk.  They’re coming to bring her to Verdan now.”

She’s right by my side in an instant, Tyler huddled close to the opposite side of her, and she puts her arms around me as I throw myself into her, burying myself as far into her as I possibly can for comfort.

“I’m right here.” She whispers.  “I love you.”

And I know I love her too.

Chapter 12 by ialwayzbesingin

December 25, 2014

10:15pm

Timberlake Residence

43 Berry Hill Rd, Oyster Bay, NY



I haven’t thought about work at all, and that’s a first for me on Christmas night.  Normally I’d be gathering my notes and preparing myself for any end of year business that needed attention in the morning.  Not today though.  There’s been no room for it.  

The only thing I’ve been able to focus on, has been Justin.  I know Fay was right in what she said.  He doesn’t have a single person in his life that he can count on to be there for him now that she’s gone.  His parents are entirely too self absorbed to deal with how much this is effecting their son, and Tyler…Tyler is just a child.  He can’t grasp his own emotions, let alone his Uncles.

If I wasn’t here, he’d be completely alone, and that scares and angers me all in one.  It’s not right.  You’re supposed to be able to depend on your family during times of crisis.  I mean, my parents and I aren’t huge talkers, but at the end of the day they would be there for me if I was in need.  I’ve been thinking about them a lot today, and my sister too.  When I get back home, I think I’m going to make plans to visit them.  I want to tell my parents how much I love them, and try to be closer with my sister because she’s the only one I’ve got.

If nothing else, Justin has taught me that family is precious and they can be ripped away from you in a second.

Watching the EMT’s load Fay onto a stretcher and cart her out of the house brought Justin to his knees in the middle of the living room.  He just couldn’t handle it, and I didn’t blame him.  I was still holding tightly onto Tyler, while he cried into my side.  For some reason he felt safe with me, and I didn’t take it for granted.  I knew Justin and Fay would rather me comfort him, than have their parents try to do it.

It’s been hours since then.  Justin has been on and off the phone all day, arguing with his father about Tyler and talking to Fay’s doctors about what’s going on with her.  He hasn’t told me much, but I haven’t asked a lot of questions.  I kept Tyler busy, opening his presents with him so his mind could be taken away from the fact that his mother isn’t here anymore.  It didn’t really help.  Tyler barely smiled, and he went up to bed a little while ago on his own.  He told us he was tired, but we knew otherwise.  Justin went up to tuck him in, but it didn’t take long for him to return.  He told me that Tyler fell asleep quickly, most likely exhausted from the emotions of the day.  

“I meant to give you a really nice stress free holiday.” Justin sits down next to me on the couch and sighs heavily.  “It’s been anything but that, and I know I can’t make it up to you.”

“Nothing that happened today was your fault.”  I stroke his face gently and put my best smile on for him.  “It was just bad timing, that’s all.”

He nods slightly.

“Besides, coming home with you wasn’t all bad.  We had our moments.”  

He manages a small smirk.  “Several moments.”

“How did Fay settle in, did they tell you anything?”

He shrugs.  “I mean, she’s there, at Verdan.  She has a private apartment and everything, but it’s not like she can get up and walk around.  Her doctor told me they are going to give her eye scan technology that she can use to communicate with going forward, but I have no idea what that is or how it works.  Inside she’s my sister, nothing has changed, she just can’t move or talk.  This will help I guess, but I know Fay.  She’s going to feel like a prisoner, and I…I can’t do anything to help her this time.  Then my father keeps calling me about Tyler.  He wanted to take him today…I mean, fuck, Fay just left.  I wanted to reach through the phone and strangle him.”    He shakes his head roughly.  “I don’t know what’s going to happen now.  I don’t know if I can hang on to Tyler for much longer, because I know my father and he’s going to do whatever he has to, so he can get his way.”

“You’re going to fight,” I whisper.  

“Yeah.”

I know he doesn’t mean it, he’s falling apart inside.  But do I yell at him? I don’t think I can.  I saw what happened to him today.  He basically lost the only family that’s ever gave a damn about him. In the coming days, he could fall into an even deeper depression, and I doubt that will leave him the energy to tend to a severely traumatized nine year old.  Still, Tyler’s place is here with his Uncle.  That’s where he’s the happiest, and Justin’s father is only going to try to turn him into an elitist, a miniature version of himself, and Tyler is too young to grow up so fast.  

“I know it’s hard.” I slowly take his hand and lace my fingers through his.  “And the next few days are going to be even harder, but that kid is probably the most important person in your life right now.  If you let your father take him away, it’ll kill you.”

“What if he’s right,” Justin murmurs.

“What’d you mean?”

“I mean, what if my father is right? If I sign on for the partnership, when will I be home to spend quality time with Tyler? I know how cases can go and how wrapped up I get in them.  Is it fair to make him wait around for me, and have Matilda babysit him until I get home? I mean, as it is, I’d probably have to ask her to move in here.  The more I think about it, the more my father is starting to make sense, and I…I fucking hate that.  You have no idea, Mags.  I don’t want him to be right, but at the end of the day, I just want what’s best for Tyler.”

“It’s what Fay wanted though,” I whisper.  “She wanted you to take care of her son.”

“I know that, but when you’re sick, you’re desperate.  We both hate our father, and she never wanted him to get control of her son.  Things don’t always work out the way you want them to.”

“You’re quit…”

“I’m not quitting!” He rips his hand from mine and gives me a dark look.  “Maggie can’t you just listen to me for five seconds! Jesus, you meet my sister once and automatically side with her on this!  I’d love nothing more than to be Tylers whole family, but if I take the promotion I won’t be able to give him much of a family life! That’s all I’m saying! At least if he’s away at school he’ll have people around him.  Strangers, yes, but they’ll be his age and I’m praying he’ll be as social as his mother was when we were away at school.  It might be good for him.  I wouldn’t allow myself to think about it this way until now.”

I get it.  I do.  Fay has just been so determined to make things work out with Justin and Tyler, that I can’t help but stick up for her.  I can’ t blame her, but perhaps, deep down, she knew things wouldn’t work if Justin took a promotion.  He’s making complete sense right now, and it’s crazy, because he’s had such a trying couple of days.  

“I’m sorry.”

He sighs heavily, and puts an arm around me.  “I didn’t mean to yell at you.”

“I was putting pressure on you for no reason.  It’s not my place, Justin.”

He kisses the side of my forehead.  “You still want to stick around?”

I chuckle slightly.  “I couldn’t tear myself away from you now if I tried.”

“When you said you loved me…”

“I meant it.” I snuggle into his chest, and stare out at the glowing Christmas tree.  “I still mean it.”

“Are you going to the office tomorrow?”

I feel his lips on the top of my head, kissing me tenderly, and I know the only thing I want to do, is stay right by his side.  “Not if you want me to stay.”

“I need you with me when I go see Fay tomorrow.”

I look up at him.  “Then I’ll be here.”

He smiles, and it’s the first really genuine one I’ve seen on his face all day.  “So that stuff I was saying about not having time for Tyler, there’s a way around that.  I should have brought this out before, but I was frustrated…and acting like a jerk.”

“Understandable.  What’s the brilliant idea?”

“I could quit.”

“You’re not serious.” I whisper, stroking his cheek gently.  “You’ve killed yourself for that place.”

“I have enough saved to start my own business,” he nods.  “I’ve had the money saved for years.  I haven’t touched it, and I haven’t told anyone.  Not even Fay.”

I sit up a little bit.  “What kind of business?”

“A restaurant.  Out in Montauk.  I’ve had my eye on the land for about a year and a half.”  He licks his lips.  “It scares me, that I could probably break ground in a couple of months.  I have a few investors who told me they would jump in as soon as I made the phone call.  They said if things work out, we could probably open a second location in Midtown.”

A restaurant in the Hamptons mixed with Justin’s cooking would equal a cash cow beyond anyone’s imagination.  He has the heart and the drive, he’s just scared.  A part of him is still that little boy that listens to his Daddy.  I already know how badly he needs to make this change, not only for the good of Tyler, but for himself as well.  Cooking is his passion, not practicing law, that’s more than obvious.  

“Justin,” I smile.  “You have to do this.”

“I’ve never gone into something blind.  Law guaranteed me a future.  Restaurants can be risky.”

“You’re not blind.  And how the hell is it a risk? Have you tasted your food?”

He chuckles.  “It’s not that good.”

“Are you kidding? I went to five course dinners in the city with Hunter that didn’t taste as good as your prime rib.  You have a gift, Justin.  Fuck, you need to use it.  I know Fay would want you to do this.  I bet you didn’t tell her because she would have nagged you about it, right?”

“She would have,” he nods.  “I just wanted to keep it to myself for awhile.  At least until she had to move out.  I really wanted them to give you the partnership.  If they had, it would have given me the perfect opportunity to leave.”

“They were never going to give me that partnership.  They never will.”

“I know,” he sighs, and then meets my gaze again.  “That’s why I…I would want you to come with me, if I do this.”

“Come with you?”

“Yeah, you know…work with me.  We could be partners.  You’re really good with the business end of things.  I’ve been watching you, all these years.  I could run the kitchen and you could handle the financial aspects of the day to day business.  We’d split all the profits after the investors get their cut.”

The past week has been a lot for me to grasp.  Between being a mess over Hunter, having Justin come to my rescue when I was drunk in a bathtub, to coming home for Christmas and falling in love with him, I would say I have a lot to think about as it is.  Now he wants me to quit the firm to help him start his restaurant? I don’t know whether I should be flattered or terrified.  I know I love him.  I know that now, even if we’ve moved a little fast.  I’ve known him too long, and my feeling have always been there.  It just took the holidays to bring them out of me once and for all.

But am I ready to give up a law career? I know my days at Harrison and Fink are numbered, but that doesn’t mean I can’t get my career back where it should be somewhere else.

“Mags?”

He’s waiting for me to answer him.  

“It’s a pretty big decision, that’s all.”

“Yeah, I’d say so,” he frowns.  “Since I’d be walking away from my career too.”

“Justin…come on.” I narrow my eyes at him.  “I’m not saying no, I’m just saying I need to think about it.  It’s been a crazy day.  Let’s focus on getting through tomorrow, and then we can talk about work, all right?”

He sighs into his hands.  “You must think I’m crazy.”

“No crazier than I’m sure you thought I was, when you found me in that bathtub.  You’re confused and your mind is taking you in ten different directions.  I know how that feels.  You just want to…escape everything, somehow.  It takes a good friend to slow you down.  Thankfully, I had one, and now, you do too.”

He’s able to look up at me after a few moments, and the smirk finds its way onto his lips.  “Are you saying we’re even?”

I nod.  “For now, Timberlake.”

He leans forward, and gently presses his lips to mine, letting them linger for just moments before he pulls away and smiles for me once again.  “Thank you, Mags.”

“Anytime.”

He pulls me to my feet and before I know it, we’re upstairs again, right outside his bedroom, being careful not to wake Tyler before he leads me inside.  I’m not nervous tonight.  Tonight this feels ordinary, going to bed with him.

Tonight, there’s no where else I’d rather be.
************
December 29, 2014

3:30pm

Verdan Long Term Care

Brookville, NY


Barry didn’t ask questions when I called him the morning after Christmas, and he didn’t mention my partnership decision either.  The tone he used with me when I informed him that Maggie was with me and neither of us would be returning to work for at least a week, told me Benjamin had already filled him in about the situation.  He sent his condolences and said if I needed Maggie for support, that was fine.  All he asked is that we let him know when we were ready to come back to the office.

I don’t even know if I’ll be returning, but no one at the office needs to know know that right now.

I guess it’s easier this way.  Crying during a phone conversation with your boss is never cool, even when they like you as much as Barry likes me.

It’s been an adjustment, getting used to Fay how she is now. The past five days have been a challenge for all of us, and it’s been all I could do to keep myself from losing it in front of my nephew.  Naturally, he’s been asking me a ton of questions.  He doesn’t understand why a computer has to speak for his mother now, or why she can’t turn to look at him, or smile.  It’s been really hard trying to make him understand, and I’ve had to have Fay’s doctor step in a couple of times to make the situation less confusing for him.  I know he’s still lost despite my efforts. He’s so young and it’s going to take a long time before he’ll start to be comfortable with the situation.

The thing is, I really don’t know if Fay has that much time left.  I haven’t said those words to anyone, not even Mags.  I guess I can’t face it right now, what the next phase is for Fay, because I know it’s going to be death.  There’s no getting around that.

I just hope to God that we can have one more year.  Or even close to it.

SO SAD BROTHER

:(

The robotic voice fills my ears and it gets me to sit up taller in my seat at her bedside.  A large yellow sad face has shown up on the screen in front of her, and I can’t hold back the smile that creeps across my lips.  “That’s a little dramatic, don’t you think?”

I CANNOT SURVIVE WITHOUT SOME DRAMA

I laugh.  I actually laugh, and it’s a first for me.  For some reason I’m starting to get used to this.  I guess it’s because we can still talk, in a way, and her personality is still there, despite the fact that it’s all computerized.  I glance at her, expecting to see her little smirk, but it’s not there.  She stares straight ahead, her mouth hanging open, in a catatonic daze.  In the matter of a few days, she lost the remaining control of her head and neck, and is now completely paralyzed from head to toe.  She can blink and move her eyes, and thank God, because otherwise she wouldn’t be able to communicate like this.  The doctors don’t know how long this part of her will last, but I’m praying for as much time as possible.  Her breathing has been severely effected because of the paralysis to her chest muscles, and various tubes run out of her nose and mouth, making her look strangely alien.

She’s still here though.  Alive.  That’s all that matters now.

TYLER?

“Mom took him down to the cafeteria to eat some lunch.”  I reach out and rub the top of her hand, even though she can’t feel it.  “He’ll be back later.”

DID YOU TALK ABOUT CUSTODY?

It would be so easy to lie to her at this stage.  It might be better for her, health wise, if she didn’t know what was going on.  But I’ve never been able to lie to my sister.  We’ve always been very in sync, each others whole family, and lying to her now would make me feel like I’ve turned into my father.

“We’re figuring it out, Fay.”

I DO NOT WANT HIM SENT AWAY

I look down at my lap, the tears threatening to spill out of my eyes.  I don’t know what to tell her.  I talked to Benjamin.  We talked about a lot of things that day, and a lot of things were said that I’d never had the courage to dish out to him before.  It’s all Mags.  She gave me a type of strength I never knew I had.  I promised her I would hold my head high that day we agreed to meet and talk about things, that I wouldn’t back down, and I didn’t.  I presented my case very well, almost like I would have in court, while defending a client.  I think I shocked him.  He never saw that side of me coming.  I’ve always been entirely too intimidated.

He’s sort of backed off, hasn’t tried to come take him from me or force me to deliver him to the house, like he was on Christmas Eve.  He’s still hounding me about boarding school, shoving pamphlets and informations booklets at me anytime he sees me.  He wants me to make an appointment with the school that Fay and I attended.  He thinks it’ll do Tyler some good to see the place, that maybe he’ll want to go there on his own, which of course, would make his life so much easier.

I can’t do it.  I can’t bring him to that place and ask him to live there, no matter what my career choice is.  Maybe it’s selfish, wanting him there.

He’s my only real link to Fay now that she’s like this, I know that’s the biggest reason I don’t want him to go.  Is it the best thing for him? I have no idea, and that makes me hate myself.  I don’t want to make selfish decisions when it comes to Tyler.  My parents did when it came to Fay and I, and I’ve never forgiven them.  I want him to be happy.  I have to figure out the best way to make that happen.

“Can I ask you something, without you flying off the handle?”

IT DEPENDS

I roll my eyes.  “Did you ever think, it might be good for him, to go away to school?”

IT WOULD NOT BE GOOD FOR HIM

“Think about it,” I whisper.  “He’ll be around kids his own age, and it’ll take his mind off of…things.”

OFF OF ME

“That’s not what I mean.”

THEN WHAT DO YOU MEAN JUSTIN

I sigh and rub my hands together, choosing my words wisely.  “If I take the partnership, when will I be home to spend time with him? Weekends? How is that fair?  He shouldn’t have to rely on Matilda for everything.  I’m supposed to be the one raising him, but…I can’t, not the way I want to, if I sign on to the firm.”

The robot voice doesn’t respond right away, and I sit in silence at her bedside for a very long time.  I know she’s taking in what I’ve said.  I should have come to my senses sooner, shouldn’t have let it get to this point, but I couldn’t have known that she would…fall apart, on Christmas Day.  

I WANT HIM TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD.  I WANT HIM TO HAVE WHAT WE DID NOT HAVE.

“Fay, he already does.  He’s happier than we ever were at his age.  I just think we need to look at this school thing more realistically. I’m not saying I agree with Benj…with Dad.  I’m just trying to do what’s best for Tyler.”

YOU ARE TRYING TO DISTRACT HIM.  WHEN WILL HE BE ABLE TO COME HERE IF HE IS AWAY AT SCHOOL? I DO NOT KNOW HOW MUCH TIME I HAVE.

“Fay I’d never keep him away from you for long. I’d make sure he could come at least twice a week, maybe even more.  I’d take as much time as I needed off of work…hell, I’ll take a sabbatical as long as you’re…here.  I have plenty of resources, and the firm will pay me for the time I’m gone.”

WHAT DOES MAGGIE SAY?

My mind is kind of blown.  She barely knows Mags, and all of a sudden her opinion matters.  “Why does it matter what Maggie says?”

I LIKE HER, AND SHE IS IN LOVE WITH YOU.  I KNOW YOU LOVE HER TOO.  HER OPINION COUNTS.

I feel my cheeks begin to burn.  “She…she thinks boarding school might be good on a social scale, for him…if I take the partnership.”

ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT NOT TAKING IT?

I shrug, but then I realize she can’t see me doing it.  “Maybe.”

WHAT WILL YOU DO?

“I’ve been sort of thinking about a business.  My own business.”

A RESTAURANT

My mouth hangs open for a few moments.  I’m a little surprised.  She never said anything to me about this before.  “How did you know?”

YOU ARE BAD AT HIDING PAPERWORK IN THE HOUSE.  I DID NOT SAY ANYTHING WHEN I SAW THE DOCUMENTS.  I DID NOT WANT TO PRESSURE YOU.  I HAVE WANTED TO TELL YOU ALL ALONG, TO GO FOR IT.  WALK AWAY FROM THE FIRM.  IT IS THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN KEEP TYLER WITH YOU, AND IT IS THE ONLY WAY YOU WILL BE TRULY HAPPY.  DO WHAT YOU LOVE.

“Yeah but Dad…”

YOU HAVE TO STOP CARING ABOUT WHAT HE THINKS.  YOU ARE A GROWN MAN.  YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN CAREER CHOICES.  PROMISE ME YOU WILL TAKE THIS OPPORTUNITY.

“I-I don’t want to promise you anything,” I whisper.  “What if I can’t keep my word?”

YOU WILL KEEP YOUR WORD.  YOU ALWAYS HAVE.

She’s right.  I know if I went into this, I wouldn’t look back.  I would put my heart and soul into the business, be happy, and one day, pass it along to Tyler.  God willing, Maggie would decide to be my partner.  We could work together and be happy.  It’s this picture perfect vision in my mind.  Nothing is ever that simple of course.

But I have to try.  For Fay, I have to try.

“So what…I just tell Barry ‘thanks for everything’ and walk away?”

BASICALLY.  THOSE JERKS DESERVE TO SCRAMBLE FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS.

I laugh.  Frozen in place, laid up in bed and all, she’s still my sister.

DO WHAT YOU LOVE JUSTIN

I nod.  “I will.”

“Look who’s here!”

I look over my shoulder and see Tyler standing in the doorway next to my mother, Benjamin looming behind them.  I know my time alone with my sister is over, and it’s their turn now.

“I love you, Fay,” I whisper.

I LOVE YOU TOO

I head to the door, and ruffle Tyler’s hair a bit.  My mother smiles her waxy smile at me, but for the first time in years, it seems genuine.  When she kisses my cheek it feels different than it has for the last thirty years, and I start to think that maybe this is a good change for the two of us.  

“How is she?” My mother whispers.

“Talkative as ever,” I chuckle.

“Wonderful.” She wipes some of her lipstick off my cheek.  “Do you want to go talk to Mommy, Ty?”

“Yeah!”  He smiles, excited as she leads him over to the bedside, and soon enough Fay is in full on robotic conversation with her son.  He barely seems to notice, he’s just happy to be talking to his mother.

It’s better than nothing.

“Justin.”

I look back at Benjamin, and nod.  “Sir.”

“Have you given anymore thought to our conversation?”

“Some.” I shrug.  “I have a few ideas, I’m just making some final decisions.”

“Such as?”

“I’ll let you know when I’m ready,” I nod.  “Happy New Year.  Is Tyler sleeping at your place tonight?”

“Your mother would like to spend the New Years holidays with him, three or four days.”

“I think that’s a good compromise.  I have a lot of things I need to get in order before I take a trip back to the office.  I’ll pick him up on Friday.”

“Yes, Friday.” My father nods, and simply brushes past me.  He doesn’t look back.
I’ll never have a real relationship with the man, but the fact that we can compromise after all of this, is a miracle in itself.  As I walk out of the room I feel a small sense of accomplishment.  I’m sure when I see Benjamin again, it will be to tell him that I’ve decided to turn my back on the law.

But I won’t regret it.

“Hey.”  

She’s standing in the waiting room, smiling for me when I reach her.  I go to her, immediately wrapping her up in my arms.  Nothing feels better than this.  Nothing in the entire world.  “Hey,” I smile.

“Did you break the news to him?”

“Not yet, but Fay and I talked about it, and she’s on board with the restaurant thing.  She even asked me what you thought about it,” I laugh.  “She likes you.  Breaking the news to Benjamin will come later in the week, but I think I’m going to be okay with whatever his reaction is.  He doesn’t intimidate me as much now.  I just…I can’t live in fear of him anymore, you know? You showed me that.”

“I’m proud of you.” She presses her forehead against mine and smiles.  “I’ve never been prouder, actually.”

“So I guess I’m going to open a restaurant,” I laugh.  “And cook for people.  It’s a scary thought…other people eating my food.  They might hate it.”

“Not possible.” She laughs and kisses me on the lips.  “In fact, just to keep your culinary skills on point, I’m demanding a steak dinner tonight.”

“Oh really?” I raise an eyebrow.  “What’s in it for me?”

 “You’ll just have to wait and see,” she smiles.  “But I think it might be something along the lines of joining forces with a new entrepreneur.”

My heart skips a beat “You want to…come work with me?”

“I’ve been doing a lot of thinking, and…I spoke to my family last night.  I’ve never really been one for over the phone heart to hearts, but my folks seemed to want to listen to what I had to say.  They think it’s great that I want to try something new, and…they told me that they aren’t disappointed about me leaving Hunter.  It felt good to talk to them, you know? I don’t think I would have if you hadn’t shown me how important family is.  No one has ever been able to open my eyes like this and…I don’t want to give you up, you know?”

I stare at her, at this woman who I never thought in a million years would be here with me right now, and I can’t help but think that she’s the most amazing person I’ve ever known.  “Partners,” I smile.

“Yeah.” She leans in and kisses me gently.  “Partners.”

Chapter 13 by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
Sorry I've been such a MIA terrible person Hollie! I promise you will have a completed story one of these days!
February 20,2015

9:15am

Lake Effect Diner

3165 Main St, Buffalo, New York


Changing nearly everything about your life over a week long holiday is pretty crazy.  I can’t lie, most people would have told me that I was about to enter one of those ‘hot for a second’ microwave relationships that I would regret later on.  I’m sure they would have also told me walking away from a law career for a semi secure restaurant prospect was idiotic.  Hell, Hunter told me that I was a fool when he came around asking questions after New Years.  Luckily, I had so much confidence instilled in me by my boyfriend, and his sister, that nothing could have brought me down.  

I basically told Hunter that he was an idiot for not taking our relationship seriously.  Then I threw his pink diamond at him, and sent him on his way.  We haven’t spoken since, not that it matters, too much has been going on for me to dwell on that.

Justin and I floored Barry and Lawrence.  We decided that resigning at the same time would have more of an effect on them than if we did it at separate times.  I never thought Lawrence was capable of begging like that, and it took all of my stamina not to crack up laughing in his face.  Later, at happy hour, Justin and I would do our best imitations of them, and nothing would ever feel so care free.

Our relationship definitely hasn’t been just ‘hot for a second’.  We fell in love with each other on  Christmas, and our feelings grew even stronger over the New Years holiday.  Without a kid in the house, needless to say, we were able to discover “everything” about one another.  Now, at the end of February, I couldn’t picture life without him.  Justin decided it would be a “good idea” if I moved into his house in Oyster Bay.  He said it would be better for business, but I knew otherwise.  He needed me there, at his side, so I got out of my rathole studio, and took my share of the apartment that Hunter and I had leased together.  Justin helped me with the paperwork, and when Hunter threatened to fight me for my share, it only took Justin mentioning a law suit to make him back down and give me what was mine (about fifty thousand dollars).

One thing every New Yorker knows, is that you should never mess with a Timberlake in a court room.

That money was what was holding me back from getting a nice place of my own, but now that I have it, I don’t even need to look, because I’m settled in at Justin’s and he makes sure my place is right next to him every night when we go to bed and when we wake up in the morning.  I’ve never had anyone love me like he does, and I wish I would have realized his feelings for me sooner, but even if I had, I doubt I would have left Hunter right away.  

My parents have been eager to meet Justin but we’ve been so busy starting the ground work for the restaurant we haven’t had a chance to make plans with them.  This weekend will be our chance.  Justin and I are going to Boston with Tyler so they can meet my family, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen Justin so excited about anything before.  He begged me to put him on the phone with my mother, and they ended up talking for a little more than an hour.  It’s amazing how they’ve clicked, but I shouldn’t be so surprised.  Justin has one of the best personalities around, and I know my parents are going to fall in love the second they meet him.

I’m so lucky.  At times, I feel like I don’t deserve a guy like him.  I feel like I can’t repay him for all the things he’s done for me, but then he tells me that I’m his miracle. That I’ve been the one person to keep him sane during the hardest moments of his life, and I guess…he’s right.

I hate to admit it.

Fay is worse.

Her rapid decline has baffled me.  I’ve researched ALS a lot over the past month, and found that Fay’s case is one of the most severe ones out there.  Some people live ten or twenty years with the disease, and Fay is at the final stages after just a year.  I feel like our hands are tied.  There’s nothing anyone can do to help her.  I’d give anything to have her back in her wheelchair, bickering with Justin and making small talk with me.  I barely got the chance to know her, and it’s heart wrenching to see her the way she is now.  The robotic voice was working really well for a few weeks.  We would go and talk to her, and it almost seemed normal.  Tyler was even used to visiting his mom that way.  For awhile, it seemed like things were going to carry on that way, and be tolerable.

Then one day she just couldn’t do it anymore.  She lost control over her eye movement, so the computer is useless.  Fay can’t speak to us anymore, all she’s able to do is lie there in bed.  It’s devastating, and despite how strong Justin has tried to remain, I know he’s starting to fall apart inside.  He’s started drinking more, trying his best to hide it from me, but I know better…I was like that once. I see his bloodshot eyes, his fatigue, and the stench of stale booze on his breath is something that never seems to go away.  I don’t say anything.

Maybe I should.  I just don’t have the heart, because he never pressured me when I was like that.

There’s been talks about taking her off the ventilator, about what’s the most ‘humane’ thing.  Before all of this, Fay wrote out her will and a message about what she wanted to happen if she could no longer speak or function on her own. She put in writing that she wanted to be taken off the ventilator and be at peace.  Justin never saw the document, and when his father sat him down and showed it to him, he practically lost his mind.  Naturally, he’s been doing everything in his power to override his sisters wishes.  He’s been in several screaming matches with his father over the subject.  Despite her condition, he knows his sister is alive on the inside.  He says it would be the same as killing her, but even her doctors disagree.  Her breathing is now solely controlled by a machine.  She has no quality of life, and she never wanted things to be this way.

I don’t know how I feel about it.  I know her brain is fully functional, but she can’t tell us what she wants.  She can’t do anything.  What’s the best thing? To let her live out the rest of her days as a vegetable?  I doubt it’s my place to have a say, but I guess…what Fay wants or…would have wanted, should override anyone else’s opinion.  Even Justin’s.

We’ve taken a few days off from the job site to go up to Valley Hill.  It’s the same school that Justin and Fay attended when they were young, and Justin has been convinced for the past couple of weeks that sending Tyler away is the only option.  He says he doesn’t have the time he thought he would have to spend with his nephew, only I know different.

I know he’s just pushing him away.  Fay was right.  This is what he does, and I don’t know if he’ll ever change.  He hasn’t exactly pushed me away yet, but I feel like theres been a change.  Of course he loves me, of course he’s here for me, but there’s been a slight difference between us since we got up here.  He’s been very quiet at the hotel, losing himself in a television show while I’ve been working on spreadsheets for the restaurant.  I’ve caught him sneaking out of the hotel room late at night to go down to the bar, and last night, he stumbled into bed around four in the morning.

I still haven’t said anything.  I guess I just love him too much.

“Coffee?”

I smile at the waitress.  “Please.”

Justin says nothing as she fills our respective mugs, and it’s only when she leaves us to our menu selection, that I say something.  “You don’t have to do this.”

He flips through the pages of the school contract briefly, before gently placing it down on the table and looking into my eyes.  “It’s the best thing for right now.”

“It doesn’t have to be.  I said I would help.  Hell Justin, Matilda even agreed to stay on and take care of him, no questions asked.”

“I can’t have him around like I am.”  Justin rubs his face harshly with his hands.  “And I’m not going to leave him with my parents.”

Justin has changed when it comes to his nephew.  Now, instead of playing with him, and making him feel loved, he seems to push him away every chance he gets.  I know what it is.  It’s painful for him to interact with Tyler, because he’s so much like Fay.  I can’t be angry with Justin.  He’s handling this situation the best way he knows how, but at the same time, I feel bad for Tyler.  He’s sort of stuck in the middle of all this, and Justin sending him away to school is only giving his father what he’s always wanted.  It’s not benefitting anyone else.  

“I just feel like…you can work through this.  It’s going to be painful for awhile but I know that eventually you’ll realize how much you want him around.”

Justin shakes his head.  “I’m not going to put Tyler through all of this in the meantime, Mags.  It’s not a place for a kid.”

“He’s your nephew.  I guess I wish you would just remember what Fay always wanted.”

He starts pouring sugar in his coffee and mixing it around.  “I don’t mean to sound like a  dick, but you barely know my sister.  She wants certain things, yes, but she doesn’t think about the difficulties that come with those choices.”

“You sound like your father.”  It just slips out, because I’m disgusted with the way he’s just talked to me.

He stares back at me.  “What?”

“You do.”  I take a gulp of coffee.  “That’s exactly what he would have said to you.  I guess he’s getting what he wants.”

“Maggie what the hell are you talking about?” He grunts.  “My points are valid.”

“You’re scared.”  I hiss.  “It’s nothing more than that.  You're in pain, and you’re pushing Tyler away.  Part of me wonders how long it will take before you start doing the same thing to me.  I mean, you’re already drinking every day of the week now.  What happens when Fay finally passes away?”

“Shut up.” He says darkly.

“That day is coming.” I say it bluntly, because there is no other choice.  “I know you don’t want to accept it, but it is, whether she’s pulled off of the ventilator of if she passes on her own.  You’re not prepared, and I wish there was a way I could help you, but lately, you’re not letting me.  You’re not letting anyone.  You tuck it all away and allow us to have a great relationship outside of Fay, but how much longer do you think you can keep it up, Justin? Do you expect me to stick around when you completely break down and shut yourself away from the world?”

“Fuck where the hell is this coming from? I take you to breakfast and this is what our conversation is going to be about?”

I shake my head gently.  “I should have said all of this days ago.  Between the restaurant and trips to Verdan…I guess we haven’t had the chance to sit down like this.”

“It just…it doesn’t matter.” He shakes his head roughly.  “My mind is made up.  He’s going to that school, and I’ll deal with Fay in my own way, if that’s okay with you.”

“In your own way?”

“Yeah.”  He won’t look up at me now.

“I thought we were in this together, Justin.”

He shrugs.  “I love you.  You know that.”

“You have a real funny way of showing it.”

“Is your sister a vegetable?”  He looks at me now, his eyes not sad, but angry.  Angry at me.  “You have your family.  Your parents are awesome and only want the best thing for you.  I have no family Mags. My parents may as well live on another planet, and Fay is basically gone.  I’m alone.  What do you expect me to do?”

“Not take it out on me.”

The anger fades from his eyes.  I know I’ve struck a cord with him, but it shouldn’t have had to go this far.

“I’ll see you back at the room.”  I get up and grab my purse, completely willing to get a cab back to our hotel.

“Mags.”

I walk away from him and out of the diner, standing in the middle of the parking lot as I pull out my phone and start looking up the numbers of cab companies, trying to keep my tears at bay.  

I never thought he’d be the one to make me cry.

“Maggie!”

I feel him behind me, but I don’t tear my gaze from my phone.  I want to leave.  I want to just…let him suffer on his own.

But does that make me a quitter too?

“Mags.”

His hand his on my shoulder, and I feel myself give in.  “What,” I rasp, and turn to face him.

“Shit, I thought you were really going to leave.”  He laughs nervously.

“I should have.”

“I…” He looks down at the ground.  “I’m sorry.”

“I’ve been through a relationship with someone that was all about himself, Justin.  I spent eight years catering to him.  I won’t do it again.”

“Look, you’re the last person in the world I want to be without.”  He takes my hands in his finally and looks me in the eyes.  “I just…back there…I lost it.  I wasn’t thinking, and when you walked away, I knew that I’d made a huge mistake talking to you like that.”

“I guess I’m just afraid of what might happen when things get worse.”

“So am I.”

He’s being honest with me.  With as much heartache as he has, I should be happy that he can be, but at the same time…it hurts to hear him say those words.  It means he doesn’t know what our relationship is going to be like once Fay passes away and he has to deal with it.  Should I be afraid?  I really don’t know.  

“Mags I don’t know what’s going to happen.”  His voice trembles slightly.  “All I know is that I won’t make it a day without you here with me.  If you leave, I may as well forget the restaurant, because I wouldn’t have the heart to do it without you.”

I nod slightly.  “I’m just warning you, I guess.  I won’t put up with what happened back there for long.  I want to help you through those moods, but…I won’t let you talk down to me like that.  I’ll walk away. I…I love you, but I will.”

“Understood.”  He smooths his hand over my cheek and tucks a loose strand of hair behind my ear.  

“Justin.”  I lick my lips nervously.

“Yeah baby.”

“You have to stop drinking.”

“I know.”

I look into his eyes, and find that they’re glistening with tears.  “It’s scaring me.  You’re worse than I used to be.”

“I don’t know what else to do.” He whispers.  “I don’t want to…take Fay off the ventilator, but I know I have to.  Drinking has turned into an escape for me.”

“It can’t be.” I shake my head.  “You understand why.  I almost fell over the edge, and you were the one that brought me back from that. Please don’t lose yourself that way, Justin.  You’re better than that.”

“I’m sorry.” He whispers, and leans in, burying his face into me.  “Mags I’m so sorry.”

I hold him tight as he sobs into my shoulder, and let out a long breath.  It’s the biggest breakthrough I’ve had with him in weeks, and I have to understand what kind of pressure he’s been under.  He really does love me, that’s more than obvious.  He ran after me when I walked out that door, and that proves how much he still values us.  I think I may have set him straight.

I hope it lasts.

“Mags.”

He’s pulled away from me now.

“Yeah?”

“You love me right?”

I laugh a little.  “I think we’ve established that.”

He nods and digs into his pocket.  “I sort of had another reason for bringing you to breakfast, although, I fucking ruined it, but I thought I could start over.”

I feel a heavy weight on my chest as he pulls the thing out of his pocket.  “Justin what are you doing?”

“If it’s a no, then I’ll have to live with it.”  He gets down on one knee and opens the box.  “Maggie…”

“Oh God.”  

Right now? He’s lost his mind.

“Let me ask before you say that.”

He’s laughing.  This is the man that I love.  This is the relationship that I value more than anything in the world right now, and I know when he asks me, I’m not going to be able to say no.

“Let’s get married, Mags.”
Chapter 14 by ialwayzbesingin

April 4, 2015

Roslyn Heights Funeral Home

75 Mineola Avenue

Roslyn Heights, NY


“Burgundy is suiting.  A nice touch.  I think she’d like that.”

“Burgundy? She’d never agreed to that.  She hates dark colors.”  

“It’s not meant to be festive,” Benjamin grits.  “It’s a wake.”

The funeral coordinator, a pale, skinny man who’s personality matches this place, shifts his gaze between Benjamin and myself.  Sure, he’s tired.  We’ve been disagreeing about every aspect of this for weeks.  It was supposed to be cut and dry, give the guy the details and the funeral home would do the rest, but it’s been far from that scenario.

There’s not much time left to put all of this together.  He knows that.  Benjamin knows that, and by now, I should know that.

But I can’t let go.

“Perhaps royal blue?” The funeral coordinator suggests.  “Not too dark, just the right amount of brightness to lighten things up a bit.  I have talented staff who will make her look lovely in that color dress.  We can coordinator the color of the flowers to match her outfit as well.”
 
I’m up nights, thinking about the last spoken conversation my sister and I shared.  I think about how much I regret it.  How she was right about me all along.  I am a quitter.  I gave my father exactly what he wanted.  Tyler is up at Valley Hill and my father has taken complete control over his courses, his friends, and his future plans.  I have no say.  I try, but I’m quickly talked down, told to focus on my own life.

I’ve let him take over.

I’ve failed her.  I haven’t had the heart to tell her, and my father…he says that Fay is better off not knowing what’s happening in our lives right now.  She can understand everything we say, she just can’t respond, or move, or breath without a machine, or live her life, so telling her would do more good than bad.  

I’ve asked for an hour alone tomorrow, just me and Fay.  There’s some things I’d like to talk to her about, apologize for, even if she can’t talk back.  Benjamin has granted me that, begrudgingly.  He told me I’m making things harder on my mother.  It’s always about someone else.  Never once has he asked how I’m handling this.  He should know more than anyone how close Fay and I have always been, how fucking hard it’s going to be for me when she’s gone.  He doesn’t care about how I feel.  He thinks I should learn to deal with it, because that’s what he’s doing.

Tomorrow, we’ll pull Fay’s life support.  

There’s nothing I can do.  I stopped fighting weeks ago.  I had to, because it was the only way I could force myself to stop drinking, and I had to stop if I wanted Maggie to stick around.  I had to stop if I wanted to focus on the restaurant too.  Despite all of this, the business is the one thing that hasn’t fallen into disarray.  The construction is going as scheduled, we just hired our head chef and are almost finished hiring our sous chef, maître d' and wait staff.  Maggie is mostly to thank. While I’ve been a mess, fighting with my father and crying myself to sleep, she’s taken charge and made sure things continued to go as planned.  Sure, it’s her livelihood on the line as well.  If this fails we’ll both be scrambling back into law practice, but I think she’s putting all this effort in for other reasons.

Reasons that are more important than money.

I mean, she said yes.

She said yes and I’m still baffled.  I acted like a complete fucking idiot, and I had no business proposing that day.  In fact, I had no business buying a ring at all during that time frame.  To think she would want to marry me while I was off drinking and giving her a bad attitude the rest of the time was selfish.

But she still said yes.

No one has ever really loved me before, not like this.  When I was a kid, my parents idea of compassion was a pat on the head and a small smile.  There were no hugs or kisses, no bedtime stories or coddling when I was sick.  When I grew older women were always attracted to me physically, but they never wanted to get to know me.  The me inside.  It’s always been about my looks and my status, apart from Mags.  She sees the me inside, like Fay always has.  She’s the only one and I love her so much for that.   Am I desperate? Is that why I proposed to her, so I’d have more reassurance that I wouldn’t lose her? I ask myself the question all the time, and that’s bad.  I shouldn’t be this insecure.  When Maggie decides to do something, it’s because she wants to.  There’s no second guessing with her.

But am I second guessing this? Am I not ready for this?

I don’t have much time to think about it.  I’m tangled in a web of emotions that I can’t escape from.  I think about Fay, my father, and the fact that I’m not around for Tyler, constantly.  At the end of the day, Maggie is there with her arms open just for me, and I only have the strength to fall into them and try to hide from everything.  She’s letting me do it, doesn’t complain about how much work I’m not doing when it comes to the restaurant, and that alone proves she’s completely committed to our relationship.

If she knew how I felt, she would probably laugh and tell me I worry too much.

“Justin, I don’t agree with the color, but I’m exhausted, and ready to put this thing to bed,” Benjamin finally says.  “If you want a brighter color, so be it.”

I glance up at him. “This thing?”

He lets out a disgusted chuckle and sticks out his hand for the funeral coordinator to shake.  “Mr. Becker, thank you for your time.  I’ll be in touch shortly.”

I rise up from the chair, and stand in Benjamin's path before he can walk away.  “That’s what Fay has been to you all this time? A thing?”

“Son, I really don’t have time for this.  Your mother is a wreck and I need to get back to the house.”

“You never gave a fuck. I don’t see why you suddenly care now.”

He shoves past me, but I turn and catch him, yank him hard on the shoulder so he’s forced to spin around.  “Stop ignoring me!  All you ever do is walk away!”

“The thing I was referring to was Fay’s dress color.”  He doesn’t raise his voice, or cross his arms, or even stare me down in that intimidating way that I’m used to.  “I have never referred to your sister as a thing, nor am I about to start.  Justin, I understand that you two have always shared a special connection, and I’ve known from the beginning how hard it was going to be for you when Fays time came.  I’m not a compassionate person, I’ve never been that kind of a man, and I’m never going to be.  I’m sorry that you’re losing her.  I don’t want to lose her any less than you do, as much as you might like to think otherwise, but fighting with me at every turn isn’t going to change the fact that she’s basically gone.  You have to accept that now, son, for your own sanity.”

The truth hits me hard, ripples through my body and shakes me to my very core.  He’s never been this open with me before, this real with me before.  It’s the closest I’ver ever come to receiving some sort of fatherly compassion in my life, and it makes me feel sick to my stomach.  Part of me wants to punch him, another part wants to scream and tell him that I hate him, and then the smallest part of me wants to tell him that I love him.  

But I won’t do any of that.

“I’ll see you in the morning.”  It’s barely more than a whisper, and then I’m the one turning my back on him.  I walk away, out of the funeral home, and out to my car.  He doesn’t come after me, doesn’t try to stop me, and I wouldn’t have expected anything else from Benjamin.  He just doesn’t have it in him.  That conversation right there, is probably the most we’ll have to say to each other for a very long time after tomorrow.  

I try to think of my mother as I get into the Ferrari and start up the engine, how she might be feeling and how I can help her through this.  But it’s almost the same thing.  While we’ve been a little better lately, we’ve never been that close.  I wouldn’t even know where to begin a conversation about Fay with her, or about anything really.  I can’t talk to my mother.  I can’t talk to Benjamin.

There’s only Mags.

I’m terrified that I’ll forget how to talk to her too.  It’s messed up.  My fucking dream girl.  The one I seemed to love more than life itself just a few months ago, now seems almost distant to me despite the fact that we’re engaged.  I swore to myself that I was going to be the man for her.  The one who would show up Hunter in so many ways, and treat her the way she deserved.  It’s seemed so forced these last couple of days, every smile, every sentence.  I’ve been trying to keep my fiancé face on in the wake of my sisters death.  I mean, is that right? Does Maggie expect me to keep on smiling despite what’s happening tomorrow?  I just…I have no clue.  I don’t know how to talk to her about it.

I feel like I could push her away at any moment because that’s how I deal with shit, and at this point, that would make me even worse than Hunter.  I’ve already crossed the line.  I went to meet her parents, naturally we hit it off great.  They’re normal, down to earth, and seem to care about Maggie a lot.  They want to help with the wedding plans, and were adamant about coming down to pay their respects to Fay even though they weren't able to meet her before she got sick.  That means their invested in me…in us.  They’re like family now.  I’ve never had that…a kiss on the cheek from her mother who looks at me like she would her own son, or a pat on the back from her father who gives me that ‘atta boy’ smile and offers me a beer while we watch the basketball game together, like father and son.

In those moments, I’ve almost been able to forget Fay, and the pain.  It’s felt good to see Maggie smile at the end of those days as she’s leaned her head against my chest, telling me she’s glad that she can share her family with me.

But those moments can’t last forever, and then it’s just me and the pain again, and I hide it from the love of my life, because I’m terrified of what I’ll do if I show her just how bad I’ve gotten.  I couldn’t hide the drinking.  Not with the stench and the bloodshot eyes, and the fatigue.

But I’ve found that it’s extremely easy to hide this from her…from everyone.  It’s not the first time I’ve gone on a binge with Cocaine.  Studying for and passing the Bar takes a lot of effort when your Benjamin’s son, and sometimes, a little bit of artificial stimulation is the only option I had to keep me going during that last year of law school.

I’m not saying it’s right and I’m not saying that I’m a great guy.

I just need something.  

I take it out of the glove box, and my phone rings.

“Hey baby.”

I feel the smile pull at my lips as I tap some out on the top of the dash.  “Hey.” I cradle the phone between my neck and shoulder, and begin to roll the bill up into a tight tube.  

“How’d it go,” Mags asks, the hesitation seeping into her voice.  “Did you get everything settled, finally?”

“For the most part.  Can you hang on a sec, baby?”

“I uh…sure.”

“Hang on.”  

I put the phone on the back seat, and take my time snorting up the white lines from the dash.  I lean back against the seat after, close my eyes, and let the rush hit me.  It all melts away, how angry I am, how tense I am…I feel my body start to go numb and it makes me smile.  I reach for my phone and press it back to my ear again.  “Hey sorry.  I was just getting situated in the car.  I’m on my way back.”

“Oh okay, well I shut things down at the construction site for now, until…we’re ready to start up again.”

“Shouldn’t be more than a week.”

“Well…let’s just see how things go.”

I lick my lips and stop at the first traffic light.  The sweat begins to bead on my forehead, my mind is swimming in numbed bliss, and I can’t think about how things are going to go, only that everything is just going to be fine.  “Everything is gonna be fine, Mags,” I promise her.  “I’ll be home soon and we can have dinner.”

“Yeah, okay.”

“All right.”  

“I love you,” she says quietly.


“I love you too.  See you in a bit.”

I click off.  It takes literally seconds, before I start to feel like a lying piece of shit.  There’s a lot the drugs can hide, can numb, but they can’t change the fact that I’m not being honest with the one person who has always been honest with me.
*******************
April 11, 2015

Timberlake Estate

10 August Ln, Old Westbury, NY


“Cake?”

“I’m okay.”

“Oh come now.  Have some cake.”

“No, thanks.”  I flash her a tight, but thankful smile and it’s enough to make her move on to the next person.  

What is it about post funeral receptions and cake? Is it the magical solution to the loss of a loved one? Will stuffing your face full of calories and adding on a few pounds drown out the fact that you’re a raging mess of emotions?  I’ve had four pieces since this thing started, because I was too polite to say no, and I don’t feel any better about this situation.  Maybe I’m not supposed to feel better though, just slightly comforted, a little warmer inside?  It’s so fake.  Why cover it up? It’s shit.  All of it.  She was too young, her son is too young to grow up without her, and her brother is lost now that she’s gone.  There’s no reason to cover all of that up, because eventually, it’s going to come rushing back, probably even worse than before.  

I didn’t go to Verdan with Justin that day they pulled her off life support.  I thought it best to give him his space.  He didn’t beg me to go with him, not that I thought he would.  Actually, he seemed thankful to have that time just for himself.  The night before had been strange.  He’d come home after that meeting with the funeral director, and I could tell it had worn him down.  Justin wouldn’t admit to it.  He devoured dinner, and then, when I said that we should talk, all he wanted to do was take me to bed.  He had so much energy, it seemed like it was coursing through his veins, ready to explode, as he devoured me in our bed.  I let him.  I didn’t know if it was healthy, or the best thing, or whatever…but I just…let him.

It’s been this way between us in bed for awhile, but I haven’t said a thing about it.

It’s been a week.  My parents were here yesterday for the wake, and it was the first time I saw Justin smile since the day Fay passed.  I knew it was a show.  He was good at that.  He wanted to please them, for my sake.  I wanted to tell him that it was okay to be in mourning, but didn’t want to push things.  We had barely talked since the day she passed.  All he wanted to do was sleep, curled into me, and I didn’t hold it against him.

“Broccoli cheddar casserole?”

It’s another relative or family friend that I’ve never met before.  Justin has pretty much failed in the ‘introducing me around’ department.  To be honest, when we arrived here at his parents estate following the funeral, he left me to fend for myself.  I don’t have the heart to be upset with him, though.  Not today.  “No…no thank you,” I smile gently.  “I’m pretty stuffed.”

She shrugs and wanders off, and I take the opportunity to escape and find my fiancé before I can be bombarded by another wandering comfort food confidant.  I wander through the massive downstairs rooms that makes up Justin’s parents estate, and only find more people, cakes, and pies.  At one point I spot Benjamin and his wife standing with Tyler, talking to a group of relatives, but Justin is nowhere to be found.  I’m about to ask if they’ve seen him, even though they are the last people he would want me to ask at this point, but then I spot him through the french doors that lead out to the back of the house.  He’s sitting alone, on a stone bench in the garden, and I can already see the plates of food stacked beside him.  I don’t hesitate to go to him, and nobody pays me any mind as I make my through the room and out the doors.  I may as well be invisible.  Justin may as well be too.

“Hey.”

He slowly looks up, and his eyes widen slightly when he sees me standing there.  It’s almost as if he’s surprised I made the effort to find him.  I’m not sure I understand.

“I um…I thought you would have been making the rounds with my folks.”  He quickly looks away, and picks up the beer bottle sitting between his feet.

“Are you kidding? Your parents don’t want me around.” I scoff slightly and move some of the cakes over so I can sit at his side. “I stick out like a disease in there I guess, because people have been trying to pawn their food off on me for the past three hours. Other than that, no one has made an effort to find out what I’m actually doing here.”

“Sorry.”

His tone is less than believable, and he begins to chug the beer down.

“Justin,” I sigh, and put my hand on the bottle, forcing him to lower it away from his mouth.  “You don’t have to be sorry, okay? Today, this week…none of it is about me.”

“Yeah,” he whispers but won’t look me in the eyes.  “I know that.”

“I just wish you would talk to me a little bit.”

“What do you want me to say?”

I chuckle a little bit, slightly annoyed at his response.  “It’s not about me wanting you to say anything.  I just know that you’re bottling up…a lot right now.  We’ve barely spoken at all this week, and I’m fine with giving you space.  You know that.  It just worries me, that’s all.”

“I’m fine, Mags.  I’m handling it fine.”  

He seems almost put off by my little speech.  Should I have expected this attitude from him? I’m not sure.  It’s been so up and down lately.  “Well I figured we were engaged, so you might be comfortable talking to me for just a few minutes.”

He glares at me.  “Just because I put a ring on your finger doesn’t mean I have to talk to you about every single thing.”

It’s something we’ve talked about, this attitude of his.  I told him I wouldn’t tolerate it, but today…today I should be able to give him a pass.

It hurts though.  I can’t deny that hearing him say that to me, after everything, really hurts.

“Okay.” I nod slightly and get up, fix my skirt and sigh.  “I’m just going to head back home, all right?  Take however long you need, and I’ll just…see you later.”

He sighs harshly.  I know he’s at war with himself right now, but I don’t have a clue how to help him, because he isn’t letting me in.  Fay warned me.  She said this is what Justin does best, but I stuck with it, because I fell in love with him.

Did I make a mistake?

“Look.” He stands up and looks me in the eye this time.  “I’m going through something right now.”

“I know.  I just hope that eventually, you can talk to me about it.  It doesn’t have to be today, but if this is going to work…you can’t…you can’t hide from me forever.”

“And if I can’t talk to you about it?”

“What do you mean?”

“If I decide I can’t talk to you about it, then what?”

The tears sting my eyes but I hold them back.  This isn’t the guy that I fell in love with.  This isn’t my best friend.  The fun loving guy that used to take me to happy hour and laugh the week away with me is gone.  He’s been replaced with this stone cold, semi drunk, depressed mess.  I can’t blame him right now, but I have the worst feeling that he’s not going to bounce back, and how the fuck is our relationship supposed to survive like that?

“Why would you decide that?”

He looks away for a moment.  “I have my reasons.”

“I thought you loved me.”

“I love you more than anything.”

He’s officially confused the hell out of me.  “Then what’s the problem?”

“I don’t know if…”  He shakes his head and sucks in his bottom lip for a moment.  “I don’t know if I’m ready.”

“Ready?”

“Mags I—“  This time he sobs.  “I don’t know if I can marry you.  I don’t know if I’m the right guy for you.  Maybe I rushed it.  Maybe I was afraid if I didn’t, I’d lose you.”

“What…”  I trail off and shake my head in disbelief.  Is he being serious? He can’t be.  It’s gotta be the emotions of the day.  “Justin, it’s been a rough week okay?  You’re not thinking straight right now.”

“I need some time, probably longer than you’re willing to put up with, Maggie.  I’m not about to make you wait around for me.  You deserve better, all right? I—I love you enough to let you go.”

I feel the first tear glide down my cheek.  “You’re serious,” I whisper.

“I’m serious.”

“I’m not letting you do this to us,” I whimper.  “No!”  I shove him a little, and he lets me do it.  “You’re confused…you—-“

He pulls something out of his pocket then.  A small glass vile filled with a white powder, and I’d be a fool to pretend I don’t know what it is.

“This is how I’ve been coping.” His voice trembles.

“How long?”

“Months. Since I stopped drinking.”

I just stare at him, disappointment more than resentment, filling my mind.  I didn’t catch it, but maybe I wasn’t looking hard enough.  I turned a blind eye to his paling complexion, to his sudden lack of appetite, and his sudden urges for hours of sex with me during some of his most depressing days.  I should have questioned it a long time ago.

But I didn't want to.

“I can’t do this and be with you, Mags.  I can’t do it anymore.”

I stare at the vile again, and then back at him.  “Then stop.”

His nostrils flare and he puts it back in his pocket.  “I need it.”

“More than you need me?”

His eyes meet mine again, and for the first time, I see something inside of him crack.  “I wish I knew.”

It’s the last thing I expected him to say.  

“We can still be business partners,” he says softly.  “The restaurant can still work out.”

“Keep it all,” I spit at him. “I don’t want any part of it.”

“Mags.”

I tug at the diamond around my finger, and throw it at him the second it comes off.  “I don’t even know who you are anymore.”

His shoulders slump in defeat, but I don’t even give him a chance to try and explain himself.  I know it’s too late for that.

So I make myself walk away, head held high with my tears wiped away.  The strongest lesson my best friend taught me was that letting a relationship die shouldn’t be the end of your life.  You have to pick yourself back up again and move on, because life should be worth more than that.

I really miss that guy.

I always will.

Chapter 15 by ialwayzbesingin

October 15, 2015

4:45 pm

Harrison, Fink, & Timberlake, Attorneys at Law

598 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY


I don’t smile anymore, not on purpose anyway.  They’re fake now, put on, rehearsed and tucked away so they’ll be ready to show off when the moment arises.  The last time I brought out a completely genuine smile was when I saw Tyler on his birthday, and that was almost four months ago.

“Hey buddy!” My smile flew on as I greeted him in my parents Foyer.

“Hi Uncle Justin.”  He didn’t smile, just half hugged me and walked further into the house.  It had only been a few months, but he’d seemed to age years in that time.

I knew it was my fault, but it was too late to change things.  He was deep into school at Valley Hill and was accustomed to a new routine.  I had to simply look the other way, and tell myself that yes, this was the best thing for him.

I’m not a groveler.  I didn’t go chasing after her that day.  I didn’t call.  I didn’t text, or attempt to write a long worded hand written letter expressing all the ways I loved her.

Sometimes I think, hey, you should have, just for the hell of it.

But I didn’t, and after all these months, with all the stuff that’s coming up, I really should stop dwelling on what I should have fucking done, because I can’t go back now, or ever.
r32;I let her go, because I knew that was the best thing I could have ever done for the girl.  She was better than me.  Better than the coke head I was becoming, and I knew that one day Mags would find someone that would cherish her more than I ever could.

No, I’m not a groveler.  Just a sell out.  The second she walked out on me, I knew the restaurant would never work, because my passion for it was completely gone.  I sold my share of the business to the investors shortly after Fay’s funeral and moved the hell on, because I knew it was the only choice I had unless I wanted to wind up in serious financial trouble.  I mean, it was hard enough asking Benjamin to talk to Barry for me about taking the partnership.  If I had to ask him for money on top of that I don’t think I could have lived with myself.

And it was really hard for awhile, living with myself.  At times, hell, most of the time, it still is.

I don’t like to talk about what those first couple of months were like for me.  My shrink hates it, says I hold back too much, but I tell him I don’t even know who the hell I was then.  I look in the mirror now and I see Justin Timberlake, Benjamin’s perfect son who has it all together.  I don’t see that guy who lost his sister, or pushed the love of his life away anymore, and that’s fucking progress, let me tell you.  It took me a really long time to come out of my funk, wake the hell up.  After the funeral, I slipped into this sort of cocaine coma.  I barricade myself in the house and only left to get my fix.  I blacked out a lot, and most of the time, I had no idea what day it was.  I had a couple of good scares, overdoses that led to emergency hospital visits, but I didn’t take any of it seriously until that fifth trip to the ER that almost left me dead.

I suffered a massive heart attack because of the drugs, that required me to have open heart surgery.  I have a pace maker now, at twenty-nine. It took three months of physical therapy to get back to a normal routine, and I received the ass reaming of a lifetime from Benjamin.  He told me it was either go to rehab or quit the drugs cold in private and move on with dignity.  Those were my options, and I knew if I ended up in rehab, I wouldn’t have a chance in hell at becoming partner.

So I just gave up the cocaine…cold.  Rough? That’s not even touching the experience my body went through, getting off that shit.

If nothing else, it taught me enough never to pick it up again.  I really can’t.  The cardiologist told me that any more exposure of cocaine to my heart would be like a death sentence.  I toyed with the idea for about thirty seconds, but figured I’d already let Fay down enough.  If I ended up dead, it wouldn’t have done her legacy any good.  As fucked up as my parents were, they didn’t need to lose another child, and Tyler didn’t need to lose his uncle, either.  So, for the first time in a very long time, I decided to put some effort into myself.  

I decided to try and start my life over.

Benjamin had a nurse stay with me, in my house, for two weeks of detox.  After he was satisfied that I could stand on my own again, he booted my ass out of bed, made me get a haircut and a clean shave, and set up an interview with Barry.

And Barry, God bless him, he gave me that partnership, no questions asked, the very same day that we talked.

It’s been two months since I signed on, and I’ve fallen right back into the swing of being a successful lawyer.  My case work continues to be flawless, and I’m still winning as many high profile cases as before, if not more so.  I don’t deserve any of this, the fresh start, the money, or the cars, or the house.  I deserve to be struggling, to be an addict, after what I did to Maggie, after I went back on my promises to Fay.  Benjamin wouldn’t hear of it.  He lost one child, and he wasn’t about to allow his son, the one with the most promise, to embarrass him.  So he ensured my future.

There will be no repayment to Benjamin.  He’ll hold all of this over me for the rest of his days, rubbing his sacrifices in my face whenever it’s convenient.  I have to live with that, because all of this is my fault.  I had my shot, could have done my own thing.  I had all the means right there in front of me, and an amazing girl to share it all with.

I just threw it away. I threw it away because I was lost, and also because I was selfish.

Sometimes when I’m at dinner with her, and I just…fuck…I just can’t take her mindless BS anymore, I start to think about happy hour, and Mags, and her smile. It takes me away for a little while, helps me relax, and it’s good for my heart, when I relax.  It’s the only way I can continue to tolerate her and my choice.  Well, choice isn’t really the word.  This isn’t the stone age of course.  I’m not in an arranged relationship or anything.  She’s my choice, I guess, but Benjamin had a lot to say about me dating her.  He said it would be good for me, that we had a lot in common, and that I would eventually see that.

I guess I have. Our backgrounds are similar.  Our families are old friends.  We both went to Valley Hill, and attended Yale.  We can talk about all of that, about Yale, about material things, vacations, and yachting. Just not about Fay, but I don't talk about her with anyone.

But what about love?

There’s no such thing as love.  Just what makes sense, and this does.  It does financially, and yes, she’s a beautiful woman, there’s no question.  Nobody has to twist my arm to crawl into bed and do her.  At least I have that, for now.  I mean, until we’re married and she starts holding that all back, like I’m sure she will, because she knows damn well that I’ll never be in love with her.  She’s in this for the money and I’m in it so I’ll be able to have a fucking blood line, nothing more.   

There’s no magic here. No love of my life.  Just generalness.  Just ‘what’s-supposed-to-be’.  One day leads into the next in a mindless circle and nothing ever changes in this world.  We’re on that five year ‘i’m a hot shot lawyer married to a trophy wife’ life plan.  There will be the wedding first, of course. Then we’ll have two kids spaced exactly 2 and a half years apart, careers planned before they’re even out of the womb. After that comes the brownstone in Manhattan, the weekend house in Montauk. Summer trips to the French Riviera and winter trips to Aspen. Me living at the law firm, her decorating and redecorating the house, shopping endlessly for an every growing supply of clothing and shoes, and having the nanny cart our toddlers from one stupid activity to the next since she’ll be too busy bragging about what a catch I am to her friends to spend that time with them.  I’ll never see my kids until retirement comes, and by then, they’ll have turned into miniature versions of myself, thanks to my stern upbringing and the expensive boarding school they’ll have attended for most of their lives.   It’s just like Benjamin always planned for me.  He’s proud I’m turning out this way…his way… after all, and doesn’t think I should have any complaints.

I had my shot at what I really wanted after all, and I fucking blew it.  There can’t be any resentment, except towards myself, and in order to stay healthy, I can’t hate myself. I have too many debts to repay, and too much to live up to now.  I’m filling Benjamin’s legacy, and that’s my only focus.

“Mr. Timberlake?”

I glance away from the computer screen and nod slightly at Shelby before focusing again.  That was the first thing I did after they put my name on the door, promote her as my secretary, because I knew she was the only person in this whole place who really gave a damn about my career.  “What is it, Shelby?”

“You were on the line…did you miss your 4:30?”

“Oh, shit.”  I scramble for my pill box in the right hand drawer.  “Thanks.  I need to remember to set that timer instead of relying on you all the time.  I’m sorry.”

“It’s not a problem, sir,” she smiles sweetly.  “Have a good weekend.”

I pop open Friday’s tab and pull out my two afternoon pills before nodding at her one last time.  “You too.  See you Monday?”

“Bright and early.” She waves a little and closes the door on her way out of my office.

I pop the pills back with my lukewarm coffee and let out a small sigh once they’re down.  Six pills a day, seven days a week.  Miss a dose, not the end of the world.  Miss a day, and it’s certain to land me in the hospital.  I still have a hard time remembering, and it’s even worse when I’m home.  She yells at me constantly, tells me that I’m going to forget all my dosages one day and then we’ll never have the wedding.  It’s not that I might die no, that’s not her biggest fear.  It’s that we might not have the wedding of her dreams and pump out a couple of little marriage security rug rats.  

I’m not looking forward our wedding, and there’s something very wrong with that, although, I’m sure Benjamin had the same feelings when he was about to marry my mother.  I’ll get used to it, that’s what he would tell me.

I’m sure I will.

Five o’clock turns into half past, and then before I know it, it’s nearly six thirty.  I know I’m in for a lecture before I even get my jacket on and set foot out of the building.  I’m supposed to be meeting her in Soho for dinner with friends at six thirty, something she's been reminding me  about all week.  She’ll tell me that I embarrassed her in front of our friends.  They’re not even people I would ever consider my friends in a million years.  They’re yuppie assholes that I guess someone like me is supposed to associate himself with.  They’re the type of people Benjamin keeps as friends.

I hate this life.  Truly.

The firm’s car service gets me down to Soho, but it’s not quick enough with rush hour traffic still in effect.  They’re on caviar appetizers and cocktails by the time I sit down next to her at seven fifteen, and I receive the classic glare, but I don’t hesitate to pull out one of my carefully preserved smiles for her.  I kiss her neck and lips and rub her bare thigh.  

“You’re late,” she grits through her poised smile.  “Again.”

“Clients.” I nod slightly, and turn to our dinner companions.  “Sorry about this,” I apologize to our friends, not to her.  “I couldn’t get out of the office fast enough today.”

“Don’t sweat it brother.” Elijah Conrad flashes his perfect smile at me and throws an arm around Charmaine Harrison, his bride to be and her maid of honor.  “The brokerage is just as hectic on Fridays, I just happened to sneak out under the radar today.”

“He’s just that good.” Charmaine smiles up at him and they share a brief kiss.

They may not be my kind of people, but I can tell what they have is real.

I envy them.  I’d give anything to have that back in my life.

The conversation quickly turns to dinner selections and our wedding plans.  Charmaine and my fiancé eventually end up in their own little world of crystal selection and china patterns in a magazine one of them brought with them, which gives Elijah the opportunity to talk with me about himself for the rest of our meal.  My timer goes off at eight thirty, warning me that I have to take my evening dosage, and I’ve never been more thankful for anything in my life.  “Excuse me.  I just need to run to the rest room.”

She rubs my thigh slightly, for the first time all night taking her focus off of our lavish, ridiculously expensive wedding plans to focus on me.  It’s strange, because she never really does.  Only in bed, sometimes, after sex, and even then, it seems forced.   “How do you feel?”

“I’m…I’m okay,” I nod slightly.  Of course it’s a lie.  My chest has felt a little tight today, and I’ve been coughing.  I have another appointment with the cardiologist next week, and he said this type of feeling is normal the first year, so I’m not worried, just uncomfortable.  I would never tell her that.

She strokes my face gently, and a small smile pulls at her lips.  “How about Montauk this weekend? My parents said it’s probably the last nice one we’ll have before winter hits.”

I blow out a long breath but don’t pull away from her.  Sometimes I like this, her smiling up at me, stroking my face.  It gives me a small feeling of comfort, and with a heart condition, I need as many of those moments as possible.  “I have some casework…you know how it is.”

I really don’t want to go.

“Baby.” She pouts slightly.  “Please? I’d really like to get away before the holidays start.  You know how crazy it can be, shopping, baking, all of that, and a wedding to plan.  When will we ever have a moment alone again before the wedding?”

I think…sex? Yes.  It works.  I haven’t had any in almost a week and a half, so it’ll be good, take some stress off of me.  “All right.” I pull out just a half smile so I won’t have to put as much effort into it.  “We’ll go.”

She smiles brightly, and kisses me deeply on the lips.  “I know your heart is only half in this right now,” she whispers, while our friends are distracted in conversation.  “But Justin, I’d really like to try.  I’d like us to have something real.”

I stare at her, bewildered.  She’s never said anything like that to me before.  “Where’s this coming from?”

She shrugs slightly.  “I want what they have.  Is that so bad?  I think we can do it if we try.  I think we can really love each other.”

I shrug.  “I have to take my pills.”

She frowns slightly.  “Okay.”

I don’t even have to leave the table to know that this conversation is far from over, but no conversation between us ever really is.  She doesn’t let things go, just keeps pushing and pushing until I either have to give in or have a god damn heart attack, and I’ve worked too hard on myself to die now.

The blessed event is in April, but it may as well be next week since she’s constantly reminding me that it’s right around the corner.  Why did I propose? It’s a good question.  She’s not a bad girl, that’s probably why.  Out of all the fake, manipulative, selfish women that my father has set me up with in the past, she’s been the most genuine and the most tolerable.  We hadn’t known each other more than a few months, but I knew I wouldn’t do better.  So I figured, why not lock her in? I bought the ring on my lunch hour, and I proposed the same day.  No, I didn’t get on my knee, and I barely smiled.  I just told her I thought it would be a good idea if we got marriage out of the way.  I actually said that, and she was actually thrilled. That’s how fucking shallow we both are.

The sex was great though, so bonus for me, although, that’s been the only highlight so far.

I’m never more thankful for the priceless serenity of the mens room.  I pop the pills and slug down some water that the bathroom attendant hands me with a smile.  My chest tightens slightly and I cough, but it passes, and I lean against the sink, back to the mirror, making sure I’ve caught most of my breath before heading out to tackle reality and a woman that wants to try and love me, because it’s what her friends are doing in their relationship.

I rub my face, and when I look up again, I almost jump out of my skin.

“What are you doing, Justin?”

My sister is there, standing on her own two feet, arms crossed sternly, giving me a disappointed look.

I’ve done everything I can, not to think of her.  Only during therapy, and even then, it’s few and far between.  I find that thinking of her drives me to a dark place.  I can’t handle it, and it used to lead me right back to the coke.  “Wha…”

“There’s a lot of things I expected you to do, but I never thought you would just go ahead and turn into Dad.”

I shake my head slightly, clutch my chest when it begins to tighten more and more.  I cough, wheeze, and gasp for a breath, before digging into my slacks for my inhaler.  I take a long drag from it and it relaxes my chest, but Fay is gone when I get my bearings again.

It’s the medication.  There’s no other explanation.  Fay is long gone.

Even so, I know she was right in what she said just now.  Turning into dad was never an option.

But here I am.

I head back out and they’re waiting for me.  It’s been decided that we spend the rest of our Friday night at a jazz club uptown, and I’m totally not up for it.  That little attack wore me out, and all I really want to do is go home and fall into bed until she forces me up at first light to drive out to Montauk.

“I’m not up for it.”  I whisper it in her ear when we get outside and Elijah steps to the curb to hail the taxi.  “You can go ahead if you want.”

“Come on, Justin.  You never want to go out.”  She rolls her eyes at me and pulls me along like I’m supposed to play nice.  Before it was all about if I felt all right, and now it’s turned into me ruining her night out.

“I’m just not feeling well,” I tell her harshly.  “My chest is acting up.  Give me a break, all right?”

“Forget it.  We’ll just fucking go home.”

Typical.

She spends the next ten minutes apologizing to Elijah and Charmaine, before we hail a cab of our own and head back towards Penn Station.  It’ll be another hour before we get back to Oyster Bay, and I pray she just pulls out her Blackberry or a god damn romance novel and leaves me to my thoughts.

“Honestly, how are we ever supposed to have friends if you bail every time I make plans for us?”

She starts in the minute we’re settled on the train.

I sigh harshly.  “I don’t bail every time.”

“It’s every time.”

“Fine, whatever.  I told you that you could go ahead.”

“We’re supposed to do things as a couple!”

She goes on and on about how awful I am to her.  How I never want to do anything, how I’m a lousy, stupid asshole that only cares about himself, which I guess, in a way, is pretty correct.  Not that I’m admitting that to her.  

“SHUT UP! JUST SHUT UP!”

I scream it at her on the train.  I’ve never done that before.  My chest throbs, and I clutch it with one hand, trying to catch my breath.  I close my eyes and lean back against the seat when it doesn't work right away.  I feel the sweat dripping down my face, and I know my condition is only getting worse.  

“Oh that’s really cute,” she mutters.  “Let’s put on the sick show now so everyone will feel sorry for you.”

“It’s…It’s not a show.”  I wheeze and reach for my inhaler, but even that isn’t enough.  “I need to go to the hospital.”

“Please.”

“I’m fucking…serious.”

She glances at me, and I can tell she believes me this time.  “Oh my god, Justin, your face…it’s bright red.”

“Get someone…anyone.  Hannah, please.”

And for the first time since I met the girl, she’s actually of some use to me.

Luckily for me, there are several doctors on our train.  At some point after they’ve laid me out the floor and ripped my shirt open, I pass out, while Hannah freaks out in the background.  When my eyes open again, the scenery is all too familiar.  Sterile white, the feeling of tubes shoved up my nose and down my throat.   She sits at my beside, tiny, perfectly manicured fingers curled up inside my right hand that’s been laced with tubing at every angle.  

She’s here for me.  I shake my head ever so slightly and sigh.  Despite our differences, how much I’ve said I don’t love her, and how much she knows that I don’t, she’s still here for me.

No one else is.

Her eyes flutter open when I give her hand a squeeze and she snaps to attention.  “Justin…Justin oh my…Justin they said you had like a mini heart attack or something…oh my God…I…”

“Shh.”  

The smile that forms isn’t one I’ve conveniently pulled out.  I don’t have the energy for that right now, so that must mean that this one is genuine.  It’s been too long.  I forgot how it felt.

“I’m sorry,” she whimpers, and presses the back of my hand to her cheek.  “I’m sorry I pushed you tonight.  It was my fault.”

“It was bound to happen,” I whisper.  “I’d been having issues the past couple of days, and I should have said something.”

“You’re fucking stubborn, that’s your problem.”

“Yeah, I know that.”

“Don’t do it again.  Do you have any idea…I mean, I could have lost you.”

She looks into my eyes, and I realize for the first time in a while, how empty I’ve felt inside for all this time.  I’m only really seeing her for who she truly is, right now, and I feel something spark to life inside of me, but I can’t be sure if it’s real or not.  Something might be playing a trick on me, or I might just be imagining that she’s here, or that she seems to give a damn right now.  

“You’d figure something else out,” I say, gently.

“Damn it Justin,” she sobs.  “Do you think I just…that I just don’t have any type of feelings for you?  Do you really think I’d waste my time yelling at you if I didn’t fucking love you?”

“I really don’t know, Hannah.”

“Can you please try and let me in?  Please? Before something else happens to you.”

I can’t promise her anything.  Nobody gets in, not anymore.  I can’t afford it, have no time.  Work is first, our children will come second, and I guess she would make a close third, if I gave a damn.

But I guess if I die, none of it will matter.

“You have your pick of any guy in Manhattan, and you let my father convince you to date me.”  The smallest smile pulls at my lips, and I feel the fatigue pulling at my eyes, but I don’t want to go just yet.  

“Yeah.”  Tears fill her eyes, but she’s smiling for me.  

She has a beautiful smile.  

“Would you change your mind…if you knew how things would be?”

“Now?”

I nod.  

“You can’t help who you love, Justin.”

She’s right.

Her hand goes to my cheek and my eyes close as she smooths it over my skin.  I pull her fingers to my mouth at one point, and press my lips to the tips of them.  “I love you Hannah.” I manage it, before I drift off.

It’s weird, but I might actually mean it now, and that’s definitely not something Benjamin would do.

Maybe there’s hope for me yet.

Chapter 16 by ialwayzbesingin

December 3, 2015

12:20pm

Rockefeller Center- The GE Building

30 Rockefeller Plaza, New York, NY 10111


“So I’ve come up with Candace, Claire, or Claudia.”

I cradle the phone in the crook of my neck while I balance my breifcase and purse in my arms.  “What’s with all the C’s?”

“Well I figured it would be a good fit, you know? I have Ava, and Benjamin. I thought a C name would go nicely.”

“Or did you decide alphabetizing by age would make your life easier?”

She laughs out loud.  “Am I that obvious?”

“Totally, but you wouldn’t be so good at this mom thing otherwise. You label, laminate, and color coordinate.  I could never keep up with that.”

“It takes a special sort of woman to do it,” she snickers.  “These things can’t be taught.  It’s an art form, being a good housewife.”

My sister is pregnant with baby number three, and has two months to go.  One thing I haven’t minded, is getting closer to her this year, and I only have one person to thank for giving me the inspiration to do it.

I try as hard as I can not to think about him.  It hurts too much.  I want to hate Justin for what he did, but I can’t.  He wasn’t the same guy once Fay reached that final stage.  It was just…this shell of him that I was left with.  He was no longer the one I had fallen for, no longer the one who made me giddy with laughter after work.  That one was never coming back to me, and so,  I barely fought back when he ended things with me. I felt had no choice but to walk away for the welfare of my future.

I stayed in Boston with my folks for a few months after I moved out of Justin’s place, and while they didn’t question things, they casually dropped their feelings about my horrible luck with boyfriends whenever they could.  I was set up on quite a few dates that I smiled my way through but thought nothing of the next day, and took some more law courses in my spare time.  I decided that corporate law wasn’t the best field for me.  For one it was stressful, and I guess…I knew if I ever wanted to work in New York City as a lawyer and steer clear of Justin Timberlake, getting out of the corporate realm was the best way to do it.

Was I hiding from him like a wimp? Probably, but only because I knew if I saw him again, I might do something regrettable, like forgive him and go to happy hour, and I couldn’t do that.  I’d given myself a chance with Justin, given my heart to him, my faith, and my reputation.  I had fallen completely in love with him, he’d taken complete advantage of me, and smashed my heart to bits.  I would never let him do that to me again.  He was the one who taught me how to avoid letting a jerk weasel his way back into my life, after all, and that’s all he is to me now…a jerk.

I mostly practice entertainment law now.  I like it because it’s easy work, cut and dry, the only downside being the attitude of the clients, but I deal with it the best I can.  I’ve discovered I can be pretty tough, now that I don’t have Barry and Lawrence ridiculing me every damn day.  My boss at the firm is a middle aged white woman named Doreen, and she couldn’t love me any more if she tried.  She has complete faith in me, lets me do my job the way I’m most comfortable, and I’ve never been happier at a firm my entire career.  Another plus, there’s as much money in this as corporate law, sometimes more, depending on who I’m representing.  I recently bought a two thousand square foot apartment on the lower east side of Manhattan.  A hundred and fifty thousand dollar two bedroom with an amazing view of the empire state building.  I paid cash.

Life is good, even though I’m alone.

I currently have six clients on my roster.  Two host a day time talk show called City Points with Tad and Hannah, which has recently claimed the number three spot in NBC New York’s daytime ratings. Tad Avery isn’t as well known, he came from commercial work and this is his first hosting type of gig.  Hannah Monroe, on the other hand, has been drifting through the NBC morning news circuit for years, doing special segments on fashion and media, among other things, and this is her first big solo break.  They both bring something to the show that keep the public interested, and there’s rumors about bringing the show national just like The Today Show and Live! With Kelly and Michael.  Hannah’s sweet girl next door personality and charisma make her relatable to almost anyone, while Tad sits back with those cute dimples and much needed subtleness that keeps horny housewives curious enough to keep watching.  I spend a lot of my mornings and afternoons on set with them and their managers, going over endorsement deals and contractual agreements.  It’s easier if I go to the studio since their schedules are all over the place right now, but I don’t mind rearranging my days for them.  They’re both such nice people compared to the actors and musicians I work with who are temperamental as fuck and constantly want me at their beck and call.

Needless to say, my weeks are usually jam packed, but I like it that way.  There’s no time for distractions, well, except when Tad is begging me to go to dinner with him.  I tell him I don’t date clients, but shit, one more surprise bouquet of flowers on my desk and I might just have to give in.  He’s pretty sweet, even for a talk show host.  He got divorced last year, but as I’ve come to realize, that happens a lot in the entertainment world.  He’s not fake, and actually, we’ve discovered that we have a lot to talk about during down time.  At the end of the day, he seems like a really nice, genuine guy.

I’m just not so sure I’m ready to start dating again.

Hannah brings my romantic prospect up every chance she can.  She says that we can go on a double date with her and her fiancé whenever I decide to give in.  He had open heart surgery this year, and a minor heart attack due to complications from it almost a month and a half ago that left her very jumpy.  She seems obsessed with trying to find ways to keep him active and get him out of the house, and even does a once a week segment on the show about heart health, hoping he’ll tune in.  She really does love him, and I have yet to meet him, but I’m praying he cherishes her just as much and realizes how much she dotes on him.  He’s some kind of litigator, which helps me to understand the heart surgery thing.  High stress jobs don’t bode well on the body.  She’s such a sweetheart that I’m ready to give in just to help her out, but I don’t know where that would leave Tad and I at the end of the night.

That makes me nervous, but she’s not just my client, she’s a friend, and I know I would do the same for her if the situation were reversed.  Hell, she’s even asked me to be in her wedding in April.  If she didn’t think it was good match with Tad she wouldn’t ask me to do this every morning that she sees me.

Maybe I should just live a little.  Not every guy is out to hurt me.  Justin wasn’t even out to hurt me initially…it just ended up that way in the end.

Right.  I’ll take the date.  I’ll tell her today.

“Sherrie, I gotta go,” I tell my sister as I push my way through the revolving door at 30 Rock.  “Can I call you tonight?”

“Yeah, I still need your help with the name thing, and the shower.  Are you still coming out this weekend?”

“It depends on work.”  I reach the elevators and wait in the mass of people for the doors to open up.  It’s middle of lunch hour, but the only chance I’ve had today to get down and see Hannah and Tad, which means fighting the masses and eating on the run.  “But I’m going to try.  I love you okay?”

“I love you too.  Make sure you let me know about any interesting date prospects.  What’s going on with that cute tv guy?”

I roll my eyes.  “I don’t know yet,” I say it and feel my cheeks burning.  

“Well you work on that.  You’re too sexy and successful to be having such a bad run.”

“Will do.  I gotta go, my elevator is here, love you.”

“Love you!  Bye!”

I click off and step onto the elevator with half a dozen television producers and I think…Jimmy Fallon?  Hm, he’s very cute up close.  I smile and make a mental note to tell Sherrie tonight.  She’ll die.  I’d totally ask for an autograph for her, but I try to maintain my professional demeanor when I’m here.  Maybe Hannah can get me one.  Good call.

The elevator doors ding open and I rush out with the mob, digging my ham and cheese croissant out of my purse on the way down to the studio where City Points is filmed.  I spot Hannah Monroe right away once I’m through the doors, and she squeals a little bit, jumping up and down slightly in her little silver stilettos as she rushes over to me.  My croissant is half hanging out of my mouth, definitely not the way I want to be portrayed while she’s looking fucking amazing with her blond hair curled to perfection and flawless make up, not to mention that little dress that hugs her in all the right spots.

I’d kill for her body.  She tells me about all this juice cleansing and kick boxing she does to stay fit.  The juice cleansing is newer for her.  She started it more so for her fiance's sake, so he would have to do it too, but she tells me it does wonders for her skin.  Juice isn’t really something I have time to study, but I did go with her once to try the kick boxing cardio thing.  I thought I was going to die, and was sore for days afterward, but she didn’t hold it against me.  

It’s weird to admit it, but, she's turned into one of my very best friends. 

I never thought I’d have another one after Justin.

“Oh my gosh! I’m so glad you’re here!” She grins brightly and gives me a tight hug around the neck.  “Did you eat yet?”

“Well…” I show her my pathetic half eaten croissant-which.  “Sort of. I had a lot of meetings today.”

“No bother, my fiancé is bringing us all lunch from that new place, you know…the one that has the juice bar and the little vegan sandwiches?”

There’s about a million places in New York City that have juice bars and vegan sandwiches, but still, I smile.  “Oh yeah?”

“Yeah, I told him that our lawyer was coming so he said he would just pick up something extra.  You like kale right?”

“Oh…sure?”

She giggles.  “It’s so great because we can set up that double date since he’ll be here.  He won’t be able to say no in front of you.  I’ve mentioned it to him for weeks now, but he just blows it off, you know how men are.”

“Oh…yeah.”

“So we’ll do it right? I mean, you should see Tad, he’s like this lost little puppy trying to figure out a way to get you to date him.  I think he sent more flowers to your office this morning.”

“He did.” I can’t suppress my smile.  “He’s sweet, really.”

“Look I know you’ve told me that you haven’t had the best luck with relationships, but I really think that you should give him a chance.  He was devastated when he got divorced, but after a little while, he got back on that horse.  You have to, you know?”

“Yeah…”

“So it’s done. Tonight maybe? How about that?  We’re already in the city and Justin’s firm is only about ten blocks from here. He can just meet us wherever we decide to go.  There’s this amazing Thai place on forty ninth.  They have an awesome vegan menu and I won’t allow Justin to even look at any other types of restaurant food at this point.  Does that sound okay?”

“Justin?”

“My fiancé,” she chuckles.  “Sorry, have I really just called him my fiance this whole time?"

"Sort of."

 "I'm such a dope," she laughs.  "Didn’t I ever show you a picture?”

“Oh…no…”

Queasy.  I shouldn't be queasy.

“I put a new one on the dressing room vanity today.  He normally hates pictures but he was in the right mood the other day and I got what I wanted.”  She giggles slightly as she walks me toward the mirror and picks up the new framed photograph of the two of them.  “He’s the cutest thing, that’s why I put up with the moody as shit attitude he gets now and then.”

I take the picture and my heart sinks when I’m forced to accept the inevitable.

Really?

Justin’s smile is forced, that’s the first thing I notice.  It’s forced, and I can tell that he’s tired…or sick.  I guess both.

Heart surgery.

The bile rises in my throat and I suddenly have no desire at all to share this vegan lunch with them, or a Thai date night.

But what do I do? Fucking run away from my best friend? This girl has been nothing but a complete sweetheart to me from the get go, and she’s only trying to help me.  That’s all she ever seems to want to do…help me, help Tad, help her fiancé, help the viewers at home.  That’s just her personality, all day long.  I don’t think she has a ton of friends, simply because she’s much too busy, and it’s obviously a project getting Justin do to much of anything with her these days.

I hate that I’m so fucking worried about him, but I can’t be afraid.  I’ve moved on with my life, and obviously, so has he, in a ton of ways that aren’t really any of my business.  I should be able to handle this professionally, and wish him luck, if nothing else, because we’re not a part of each others lives anymore.

“Hey.”

She turns.  “Baby! Hi!”

I look on as she clip clops across the studio and over to where he’s standing with the handled bag that contains lunch.  His shoulders are sagged like he’s completely exhausted, and he’s less than enthusiastic as she wraps her arms around him and gives him a passionate kiss on the mouth.  I can tell it’s Justin going through the motions.  He seems numb, and distant, removed.  I want to feel bad for him.

But I’m still so angry.

He hasn’t noticed me, that’s obvious, because he’s still in his own world as Hannah drags him over to be introduced to me.  I just stand there, waiting for the inevitable, with a forced smile.

“Baby this is…”

“Mags?”

I look him in the eyes this time.  In an instant, his entire demeanor has changed.  I expected him to be glaring, cold, and angry.  He’s the complete opposite.  He’s smiling, the way he used to when he was my best friend, and I can tell he’s not forcing it.  “Hey.”

For just moments she seems shocked, but then her infamous warm smile breaks out across her face again and I know she’s back to normal and doesn’t hate me.  “Babe you…you know Maggie?”

“Yeah uh…”  He pauses and licks his lips, his cheeks turning a slight shade of pink.  “We were at Harrison and Fink together…five years.”

He neglects to tell her the other part.  That we were in love, that we were going to get married, before he started to slip, use drugs, and push me away.  No matter, it’s not like I was going to put any of that out there right now.  I have no idea how Hannah would take that news, and I’m not ready to give up our friendship.  I’m not going to let Justin take one more thing away from me.  “Yeah, we were like a team for a little while.” I force another smile and narrow my eyes at him slightly.

He seems to remember himself then, and his confidence falls away.

“Oh my gosh how perfect!” Hannah gasps.  “We’ll have loads to talk about at dinner! What a small world!”

“Dinner?”  Justin hides his true emotions completely, but won’t look me in the eye anymore as he gently puts a hand at the crook of Hannah’s waist and pulls her toward him.  

“Yeah…you know…Tad has a little crush on Maggie, so I thought we could kind of help them break the ice and do dinner.” She smiles and pecks him on the lips.  “I know you don’t have a late night.”

“Babe I just…”

“Don’t start.” She grits it out, and it seems to force him to back down.

“Yeah, dinner.”  He chuckles half heartedly.  “Sounds great.”  He kisses her forehead.  “Let’s eat huh?”  He barely glances at me, before heading over to the sitting area in the corner of the studio.

She’s in complete control of him, that’s more than obvious.  I begin to wonder if she’s always treated him this way, or if it’s just something that’s started recently, because of his health complications.  I mean, they can’t have been together all that long.  I left him in April, now it’s December, and they’re already set to get married next April.  That’s quick…

It must be his father.  That’s the only thing I can think of.  He introduced them.  Her family must be friends with Justin’s family.  That’s how they do things.  He’s rushed into this partially because of his father and I guess…

I guess she’s there for him.

I stop in my tracks for a moment while Hannah goes on ahead and joins him at the table, pulling the lunches out of the bag, checking Justin’s carefully for whatever it is he’s not supposed to be eating before she allows him to have his food.  

She’s there for him.  She’s the only one, because his shit attitude pushed anyone else who might have cared far away.  Hannah Monroe isn’t one to be pushed away though.  She gets what she wants, despite being a sweet girl on the exterior.  So Justin uses that.  He doesn’t have to be alone as long as he has her.  He doesn’t really love her and he never will.  It doesn’t matter to him though.  He’s turned into his father, more worried about business and bloodlines than having a true, meaningful relationship that will make him happy.

I want to ask him about his heart, how he got this sick, but it scares me to think of the reasons.  It scares me to think about what happened to him after I left, what he might have done to himself, because if I know the truth, I might blame myself.

But it wasn’t my fault.  It’s not like he gave me a choice.  I couldn’t just stick around and he…he broke it off with me.  He told me he couldn’t do it.  He couldn’t get married to me.

But he can go off and marry her?

“Maggie? Are you okay?”

Hannah is smiling at me, and Justin is digging his fork around in his salad miserably.

“Just fine.”  I flash a dazzling smile.

Professional Maggie takes over, and I make myself cross the studio and join them.  Hannah immerses me in conversation immediately after I start eating  It’s much easier than I thought it would be, letting Justin fade into the background with his bean sprout, spinach, and tofu salad, while Hannah and I begin to discuss business prospects.  He says nothing at all, barely makes a sound until our meals are finished, like some kind of obedient dog.  I figure that Hannah has trained him very well about patience, manners, what she will and won’t tolerate, and what it will take to ensure that she never leaves him.  I think he puts up with it, due to his health and the fact that he probably couldn’t take one more blow, even if his feelings for her aren’t genuine.

I shouldn’t be guessing things about their personal life.  It’s really kind of sick.  

I steal a glance at the diamond on her finger.  It’s beautiful, a Tiffany cut, much more elaborate than the one he’d chosen for me.  It’s a show piece really, designed to prove something about himself to her.

I never needed anything like that though, and he knew it.

It starts to make me so fucking angry, but I quickly calm myself down.  No. I can’t let it get to me.  He doesn’t matter to me anymore.

“So tonight, at seven thirty?” Hannah smiles at me, the excitement growing in her eyes.  “I’ll get all the details to Tad, and the three of us will meet you at the restaurant.  How does that sound?”

“It sounds…great.” I force it out, steal a glance at Justin, but he’s staring off into space now, his salad only half picked through, the tofu glistening under the studio spotlights.  “I’ll be there.”

“Baby isn’t this exciting?” Hannah giggles and the bridge of her nose wrinkles up slightly, a signal that she’s really happy about all of this.  “We get to play match maker and have a date night all in one!”

His smile is there in less than a second.  “Can’t wait.”  He leans across the small table and gives her a kiss.  “I gotta get back, all right?”

Damn.  She’s got him trained to a science.

She kisses him back and grins.  “I’ll see you later baby.  Maggie, would you mind walking him out? I have to change for the health segment. We’re pre filming today, but if you don’t mind hanging around, I need to go over some things with you after.”

“My schedule is clear,” I nod.  “No problem.”

“You’re the best.”  She hugs me quickly, and then races off with one of the producers stationed at the other end of the studio.

Now it’s just me and him.  Well, me and my best friends fiancé, rather.  I feel horrible.  I have to figure out a way to tell her that I used to be engaged to the guy she’s about to marry, because I know Justin, and he won’t tell her if he feels he can get away with it, and that’s not fair.  She’s a good person, albeit a little hyper, but a good person who I respect.

“I can get myself out,” Justin tells me.  “I do it every afternoon.  She’s afraid if I’m alone I’ll have a heart attack and nobody will find me in time, that’s all.  I’ve been having a good run this week though, so, don’t bother.”  He begins to pick up the empty food containers, as I’m sure Hannah expected him to do, and dropping them inside the handled bag.  “It’s uh…it’s nice to see you though, Mags.  You—uh—you look great.”

I roll my eyes and start to help him with the trash.  “Spare me the niceties, okay?”

He shrugs.  “Well I wasn’t making it up.”

“Look.”

He pauses and stares at me.

“This this is awkward for you.  This is awkward for me. But she’s a really good friend of mine, and hell, I dunno, If I’d known you were dating Hannah Monroe maybe I wouldn’t have gotten as close with her.  The point is, I have, and I’m not exactly ready to give up a friendship, because of you.  So lets just act like the old work colleagues that you’ve managed to make her believe we are, and move on.”

He laughs slightly.  “Whoa, relax.  I’m not getting in the middle of your girl time with my fiancé.  It hasn’t exactly been that long, but I’ve been through…a lot, too much I guess, because it feels like what happened between us, happened years ago.  All I’m doing right now is taking one day at a time, because she’s demanded it, and she’s there for me, every day.  She takes care of me, hell, she pre orders my lunch for me before I can go pick it up.  She cares, and I’m really trying to care about her too.  I’m not the same person I was before, but I’m trying to learn to be…I dunno, better? Maybe spiritual is a better word…”

“Spritual?” I try to hold in my laughter.

“Yeah.”

“You’re not spiritual.”

“Yeah I am.  I do yoga now.”

“You?”

“Yeah, with a mat, and an instructor.  It’s couples Yoga, and my entire Tuesday and Thursday night.  That’s gotta count as spiritual.”

“Jesus.”

His smile breaks free and he laughs at me. I see a flash of him how I remember.  Happy hour Justin laughing with me over some stupid wisecrack.

My heart begins to ache.

“My doctor says it’s good for me, so naturally, Hannah demands I go.  I’m trying to make her think I’ve bought into all this rejuvenation crap so she’ll let me watch the Knicks game on the weekends and possibly have a beer once a month.  That’s what my life has come down to now, little bonuses, because I don’t get to control anything in my life outside of the firm anymore.  I have a pace maker, heart complications…possibly another surgery in a few months if things don’t improve more, so I can’t afford to stress or take on more than I can handle.  I’ve promised her that I wouldn’t, and so, she does it all.  I don’t complain, because it makes her happy, and I don’t know how to make her happy otherwise, because I’m a complete fuck up when it comes to that.”  He leans in closer to me.  “Hannah aside Mags…it’s just…it’s nice to see you.  It’s nice and…I’d like to be friends with you, if that’s even possible.”

“You know I’m in your wedding right?”

He stares at me for several moments, at a loss for words.  “Invited?”

“In the wedding party, Justin,” I groan.  “I’m a bridesmaid.  I just started looking at dresses with her…” I trail off and shake my head.  “How the fuck are we supposed to be friends like it’s nothing?”

He runs a hand through his hair and blows out a breath.  “Oh.”

“Yeah.”  I shake my head slightly, and pick my purse up from the table.  

“You haven’t even told me what you’ve been up to.”

I sigh harshly, hating that he’s pushed the subject of his wedding under the rug.  “What does it matter? I have to get things sorted for Hannah…”

“You don’t have five minutes?  You said you’d walk me out anyway.”

I roll my eyes at him.  I don’t want to give in, don’t want to make small talk with him as we walk back outside.  But I know Justin, and he won’t quit until I give him something, and if I have to see him again tonight for dinner, I may as well play nice for my friend’s sake.  “Whatever, fine.”

We take the elevator down and walk outside to the center of Rockefeller Plaza, stopping at the top of the ice rink.  Justin looks out and observes the skaters and the tourists milling around for several moments, and I do the same, praying he’ll simply tell me that he has to leave, but he never does.  

“So.”

“So?”  I look down at the railing and rub my hand across it, trying to focus my attention elsewhere.

“You’re obviously working.”

“Wallace and Akerman.”

“That entertainment firm?  I’ve heard good things.”

“They’re great.  I make three times as much as I did at Fink and Harrison.  They’ve been talking to me about a partnership, so we’ll see.”

“It’ll happen,” he nods.  “They’d be crazy not to do it.”

I shrug.  “I’m not worried about it.  Somebody once told me that a partnership isn’t the only thing that matters.”

He smirks slightly.  “Sounds like a smart guy.”

“He was.  I haven’t heard from him in awhile.”

He grows serious.  “I haven’t either.”

Awkward silence looms over us, and I’m about to tell him I have to get back, but then he starts to speak again.

“It’s actually Harrison, Fink, and Timberlake now.”

“They still gave it to you?” My eyes widen slightly, but I can’t say I’m surprised.  “I mean…what about the restaurant?”

“I sold off my share a long time ago.  As for the firm, my father had to step in and help, but yes they gave it to me.”

Right.  That explains it.  “Well…that’s great Justin.  Congratulations.  You must be happy.”

“Yeah.”  He stares out at the rink again.  “It’s the same as always, just a bigger office and a bigger paycheck.  Where are you staying? Out on the island or…”  

“I just bought an apartment on the lower east side.”

“Nice.” He nods.  “Sounds like you have it all together, Mags.”

“Yeah.”  I try to smile but it doesn’t work. I just want to cry, because as much as I hate it, I know a part of me will always love him. “Will you…I mean, you’re going to be okay right? With your heart?”

“For now,” he nods slightly.  “I was a fucking idiot and messed it up, so I suppose I deserve to live this way.  I get a different answer about whats actually going on with me every couple of weeks, but I’m doing what I can to keep myself healthy in spite of that.”

“I don’t…I don’t know what I’d do if…”

“Maggie I’m going to be okay.”  He turns to me, concern riddling his expression, and looks deep into my eyes.  “I promise, all right?”

“Yeah.”  I press my lips together and look back out over the rink again.

He lets out a long breath.  “I’m sorry, Mags.” He says it after awhile, soft and sad.  “I really am.”

I nod slightly.  “I know you are.”

He rubs my shoulder for a quick second, but I shrug away even faster. 

“See you tonight then?" he asks.


“Oh…yeah.”

A flash of a smile breaks across his face, and then it’s gone.  “It really is— great to see you again.”

I watch him go, hands shoved into the pockets of his overcoat, and I think about how close I came to being with him for the rest of my life. My heart begins to ache again, because I miss how we were, how he was…and I’ll admit, how I was.  Even I know I’ve changed.  I’m a little more closed off, much more headstrong and professional.  I don’t kick back much.  Actually, Hannah is one of the only people I have any kind of fun with anymore.

And now this.  Now Justin.  How can I handle it? Being around him constantly, having to deal with forcing smiles, feeling his eyes on me, and stopping myself from staring at him, from letting him take my breath away.  It won’t work.  It can’t.  I should tell Hannah, but I don’t want to do that either.

I’m as trapped as he is now.

Chapter 17 by ialwayzbesingin
May 1, 2016

1:30 pm

Timberlake Residence

43 Berry Hill Rd, Oyster Bay, NY


Our wedding was supposed to take place a month ago, but as it turns out, that won’t be the case after all.  Am I happy about it? I’m not sure.  I haven’t had much time to dwell on all the crap I’ve had to cancel, because I’ve been in too much pain, and been so short of breath and low on energy that it’s been hard waking up most days.  Hannah understands, and she’s not going anywhere.  She keeps saying that all of this will work out in the end, that our lives will get back to normal.

I don’t see the light at the end of the tunnel this time.  It’s been too much wear on me, my most recent heart attack and the surgery that followed.  There was no eight week recovery period this time around.  I’ve been weak since I came home from the hospital, and after seven months of rehabilitation and trying to get better I really…I have no idea when I’ll be able to be myself again.

Maybe it’s a never.  Maybe I’ll just be laid up like this…turn into Fay, slip away after a few years of telling people that it’s not the worst thing that could happen.  My doctors say that I could recover quicker if I wasn’t so depressed.  They all keep asking why I am when I have so much going for me.  Great career, amazing woman that wants to marry me, no money troubles, plenty of real estate and valuable assets to pass on to my children, when the time comes.

None of that matters though.  Not to me.  Not when Fay is gone and the one person that…that I love, isn’t ever coming back to me.

They just don’t get it, not even Hannah, as much as she tries.   And I know she tries.  I don’t hold it against the poor girl.  Lord knows, she makes more of an effort to help me than anyone else right now.  I keep her close, so close, because if I were to lose her, I think that might just put me over the edge.  It’s funny, I’ve started talking to her a little bit, just a little…late at night, as she lays next to me, stroking my scarred chest and telling me I can say anything I want to her and she’ll listen.  And so I talk, and she does exactly what she said she would, no matter how dark my ramblings might become, no matter how hard I cry.  She’s just there.

I love her for that, but I still don’t love her like a man should love the woman he’s about to marry.  Is it wrong? I know it is, but she looks the other way.  I want to beg her not to, but I can’t bring myself to do it.  I’m too dependent on her, and I think I might always be.

After that Christmas with Fay, I didn’t think I would have a shittier holiday season for as long as I lived, but this one came pretty close.  Having a massive heart attack in the middle of a room filled with three hundred of Benjamin’s closest colleagues and our extended family wasn’t just embarrassing, but really fucking scary.  Part of me was hoping I would die right there on the priceless oriental carpeting, cocktail frank hanging out of my mouth, so I wouldn’t have to face the surgeries, the pain, the prolonged rehabilitation period, or the scarring that was sure to follow my episode.

Not in the cards.

Not in the fucking cards.

I swear I saw Fay while the paramedics were trying to revive me.  She was standing over me, a look of utter disappointment on her face, because she knew it was my fault.  It was.  There was no denying it.

I can’t understand how I survived the night.  My doctors were baffled, as this attack was even worse than the first one I suffered.  I should have died on that operating table.  I flatlined twice.  The second time was for a straight up ten minutes, and they went in the hallway and told my family I was dead, sending Hannah into a hysterical breakdown.  It was the only thing I was really, seriously angry about when I finally woke up again.  I care about her…in that way.  I can’t stand to see anyone make her upset, and I screamed at my doctors for a good hour because of it.  They had to sedate me,  otherwise I would have torn the stitches in my chest wide open, or worse.

I’m alive, for whatever fucking reason, seven months later.  It’s been an extremely long road to recovery, and I’m still not up on my feet, still have to rely on an oxygen tank to help me breathe, but I’m determined not to let this thing get the best of me. I want to work really hard, I just…have to get more strength back.  

I go to therapy four times a week and use hydraulics and cardio machines, massage therapy on my chest, anything I can.  Nothing has quite kicked in yet, but we’re hopeful.  Hell, even if I could get up and walk more than thirty feet without getting winded I would feel like I had accomplished something.  My butt in is a damn wheelchair so much I think it might fall off one day.  I’m fucking sick of it.  I try to pass the time working from home.  Barry sends me casework to look over for him.  I give him advice, and edit things that his secretary misses.  It’s pathetic work for someone of my experience, but it’s the only thing I can do right now.

A fall wedding is perfect, September, still enough time to enjoy a Caribbean honeymoon, as long as I’m okay to fly. That’s what Hannah keeps telling me, and I keep fucking smiling.  The hope is I’ll be able to walk in there on my own and take my vows without a cane in my hand and tubes shoved up my nose.  She doesn’t hold it against me, and Benjamin hasn’t complained about the fees he’s had to put out because of all the changes we were forced to make at the last minute.  Everyone I talk to keeps telling me they’re just glad that I’m okay, that things will get easier before I know it.

“Baby?”

I groan, press my face into my pillow just gently enough so I don’t knock the oxygen tube out of place, and pray she forgets I’m here.

“Baby.”  A gentle knocking comes before the door is slowly pushed open.  I glance at her slightly, see her standing there with my tray of food complete with bud vase and flower.  “I fixed you lunch.  I have to run to the studio for a few hours, but I promise I’ll be home to have dinner with you and we’ll talk about what you want to pack for Montauk, okay?”

Montauk for my birthday.  It was her idea.  She said we could invite a bunch of people to the beach house and really celebrate.  I don’t see why she’s making a fuss.  I don’t even know how I’ll feel and it will be complete shit if I have to lay in the bedroom while they’re all downstairs partying the weekend away.  I said that to her too, but she insisted that we go despite my attitude.  I didn’t fight her, I just gave in, like I always do.

“Elijah said he would stop by and take you for a walk in the wheelchair though.” She smiles brightly and kisses my cheek after she sets the tray down on my lap.  “I know how much you like that.”

Oh, my favorite person.  It annoys me how naive she can be at times.  Can’t she tell how much that guy annoys me?  “I think I’d rather be on my own for the afternoon, baby.”

“Justin.” Her voice gets a little more stern and her eyes narrow as she helps me sit up in the bed.  “You know Doctor Albert said it wasn’t healthy for you to be on your own so much.  It’s why you get depressed.”

No it’s not.

Hannah still doesn’t know the truth about Mags and I.  They’re still best friends, and Hannah just thinks that the two of us get along so well because of our camaraderie at the firm.  I guess it’s easier…her not knowing, but I had a hell of a time hiding my feelings during all of those double dates and outings we went on together before my heart attack.

They hit it off, Tad and Mags, that night we went to dinner.  I really wasn’t expecting it.  I mean, it was so fast.  The guy is usually so damn quiet and the minute we all sat down they just started talking like they were old friends.  I felt it, that pain in my gut.  The one that told me she was going to fall for him, hard.  That he might possibly turn into the love of her life.

And he did.

They’re always together now.  He recently moved into her place on the lower east side.  We went there for dinner a few times before my attack.  It’s nice.  She’s done well, and I’ve never really…had the guts to say it to her like I want to, but I’m so proud of her.  She’s so strong now, so independent, so unlike messy Mags who hung around Hunter for way too long.  She left that woman behind a long time ago.

I guess I showed her how, when I decided to throw what we had away like the trash.

I miss the fuck out of her.  Sometimes, I think I might just miss her more than Fay, but I won’t readily admit that to myself.  My heart aches when I think of her smile, and her laugh.  Sure, we’re friends, and I guess I should be more thankful for that than anything else, because in the beginning, she didn’t even want to be that close to me.  When I was in the hospital, she must have come to visit me three times a week.  We never talked about us, or the past, all she wanted to do was cheer me up, bring me little gifts to keep me busy while I was in bed, and make me laugh if she could.  She never brought Tad with her.  I think she knew that it might have killed me, seeing them together like that.  She says he loves her.  She’s never said whether she loves him.

She must though.  She has to.  It’s obvious.  I’ve seen the way she looks at him, the way she smiles, the way he can make her laugh as he holds her in his arms.  He cherishes her.  It’s what I wanted, I know…it just hurts that I was stupid enough to let her go, because I could have had that.  She could have been here by my side instead of Hannah.

Actually, I don’t even know if I would have all the complications I do, if we’d stayed together.  Maybe…I mean, I guess I would have.  I was pretty strung out on that cocaine by the time I broke it off with her, already on the decline, already poisoning my heart in such a way that I would never be completely healthy again.

I was so fucking stupid.  

“Baby you have to eat.”  Hannah sits beside me and strokes my hair gently.  “Please?”

I look down at my half grapefruit on a plate with my skim milk and try not to make a face.  “Sure honey.  Sorry.”  I sit up a little straighter, wincing slightly, and let her help me settle back against my pillows before I dig into the fruit and take a mouthful.

“I love you.” She kisses my cheek and flicks the tv on for me as she gets up to leave.  “Three hours, and I’ll be on the first train back, I swear.”

“Have a good day baby.”  I yank out a smile so she won’t worry.

One last wave and she’s out the door.  I don’t want to hold her back.  She just got word a couple of weeks back that the show is going national, and I’m happy for her.  I know it’s her dream, to make it big on that kind of daytime talk show circuit, and I’ve told her that.  It’s only made her love me more, which should be a good thing.  I should care more that a woman as beautiful as her loves me like this.  It makes me a bastard for not caring, but then again, I’m my fathers son.  I told her that I’d be willing to sell the house and move into the city before the wedding if it comes down to that.  It’ll be easier for her, commute wise, and she’ll be able to network herself in other ways, being so close to everything.  I know she’s looking to advance in the entertainment world, and I guess the best thing I can do is stand by her and be supportive, since I can’t love her like I’m supposed to.

We’re looking to put the place on the market in a month or two.  Hopefully, I’ll be a little bit stronger by then.  I mean, I have things to go through if we’re going to do this.  Fays room isn’t packed, because I haven’t been able to take that step, but I refuse to hold Hannah back.  It wouldn’t be right, after everything she’s done, and the shit she puts up with from me.  My father has offered to help if I realize that I can’t do it.  He said he would hire people.  I’d rather not have strangers rummaging through Fays things…our memories, but I’m sick, I may not have a choice, and I’d never ask Hannah to do it for me.

It’s so fucking depressing, and a big part of my problem right now, I think.  A part of me is still latched onto Fay.  It hasn’t let go.  That combined with my feelings about Mags, are probably what’s holding me back the most, and I can’t say a damn thing about it.  

What do I do?

The phone on the nightstand beside the bed begins to ring, and it takes me several painstaking seconds to reach out and pick it up.  “Hello?”

“Baby hey, sorry…”

“You okay?”

“Yeah, it’s just that Elijah said he can’t make it after all.”

I try not to sound pleased.  “Oh…damn.  Well, I’ll just have to go for a walk tomorrow or something.”

“No well…I mean, Maggie offered to come in his place.  I was just talking to her when Eli called me, and I told her, and she said she didn’t have anything else going on today.  Would you want her to come and do that?”

Shocked isn’t the word.  I mean, what are the odds of this? Alone with Mags? I don’t know if I can handle that right now.  I’m so fucking weak.  What if I fall, or start rambling on and on about how much I miss her?  
“I uh…well er…I mean, yes.  Yes I would like her to,” I say it as subtly as I can as to not arouse suspicion.  “Baby, thank you.”

“Oh Justin, great! I’m so happy.  You really need to get out of the house.  You’re so pale all the time.  I’m going to call back and tell her.  It’ll probably be about an hour, but she’ll be there.  I left the back door open, so she’ll just come in that way.”

“All right.”

I’m in my jammies.

“I’ll see you later.  Ah! I’m so excited.”

She hangs up.

Shit.  What am I thinking about? How is this suppose to work? I mean, why the fuck would she even want to do this, first off? A favor for Hannah? I guess.  She knows what her friend has been going through, and is trying to be supportive.

It doesn’t make me any less nervous though.  I’d like to keep topics of conversation light between us, but this is Mags.  Mags who I used to lose myself in conversation with for hours, and she was the same way with me.  I’ve never laughed, or joked, or related to anyone like I related to her…the love of my life.

This is probably a bad idea, but will I call Hannah back?  No, because I don’t know how many more opportunities I’ll have to talk to Maggie like this.  I mean, I know my luck.  She’ll probably marry that guy and her life will change again.  She won’t have time for me, she’ll be too distracted by her busy, married world.

So this is my chance, I guess, even though I’m in no condition for it.  Chance for what? I’m not really sure. I’m not sure what I’m going to say.  

I just know that I still love her, so damn much.
Chapter 18 by ialwayzbesingin

May 1, 2016

3:15pm

Jupiter 21- Luxury Apartments

21 East 1st Street New York, NY 10003


When I told Hannah I would go in Elijah’s place, I didn’t expect her reaction.  I thought she was going to start crying, but somehow, she held it together.  She rambled on about how worried she’s been, how he was so weak, how he didn’t get out of the house anymore because he couldn’t really do it on his own, and she was at the studio so much.

I’m worried about him.  More worried than I’ve ever been before.  I just…I get this feeling sometimes, that he could be gone just like Fay if things don’t change.

I can’t think about it.  I force myself not to.  

“You’re going out to the Island? Now?  We’re all going out to Montauk this weekend, doesn’t Hannah realize you’ll see him then?”

“She’s just worried,” I sigh.  “We all are, Tad.”

He turns his back to me, and says nothing, just pours his coffee and stirs in the fixings.  I know he’s angry.  He only ignores me when he’s angry, and he never gets angry at me, really.

“Tad?”

“I hate the way he looks at you.”

I chuckle and shake my head a little.  “What are you talking about?”

He finally turns back to me, his eyes sad, his shoulders slumped in obvious defeat.  It tells me he’s not really going to fight me on this.  He always lets me have my way.  At the same time though, he’s not happy with my choice.  “It just…it makes me uncomfortable.  I don’t want you to be alone with him.”

“Babe, come on.”  I move across the kitchen and take the coffee mug out of his hand, placing it behind him on the counter so I can drape my arms over his shoulders and caress the back of his neck as I stare into his eyes.  “You have nothing to worry about.  He’s latched onto your co host and has a lot of other things to concentrate on besides me.  I’m just taking him for a walk, so he can get some air.  That’s all it is.  He’s a friend, and Hannah asked me to do him a favor.  Wouldn’t you do the same thing if Hannah asked you to?”

“She wouldn’t ask me to do this.  I’ve never been close with him, you know that.” He rolls his eyes slightly, but pulls me closer to him.  “You’re just…I guess I get a little possessive of you sometimes,” he admits, reluctantly.  “I don’t want some other guy trying to hit on you.”

“Justin isn’t trying anything.  I’ve known the guy for years…before I knew Hannah or you, so just relax okay?”  I peck him on the lips.  “I love you.  Nothing is going to change that.”

He sighs heavily, but it seems to ease his insecurities slightly.  “I’ve never understood your whole…history with him.  I guess that’s my biggest problem.”

I feel the beads of sweat begin to form on my forehead as the pangs of guilt begin to surge through my body, and I gently tug myself out of his grasp.  In the beginning of this whole “reunion” Justin and I agreed not to say anything.  We knew it would be easier on the two people who had taken such an interest in us, if we keep the truth from them.  Justin may not have the most traditional relationship with Hannah, but he doesn’t want to hurt her, or make things awkward between her and I.  It’s the same thing with Tad.  I know he would feel weird around Justin if he knew we used to be together.  

But it doesn’t make it right, keeping secrets from them.

“It’s a co worker history,” I tell him quickly.

“Seems like it was more, the way he talks to you sometimes.”

I’m such a bad liar.  I know what he means.  Of course I know what he means.  I used to catch it all the time, at dinner, at random meetings at the studio, on group outings with the four of us.  He could never seem to keep his eyes off of me for long.  In fact, before the attack, I was getting up the guts to say something.  I wanted to tell him he had to stop, because it was distracting…because it was scaring me.  I would find myself staring right back at him all too often, catching myself in a small smile, even when Tad was right there next to me.  Justin was changing for the better before the attack, personality wise.  He was starting to act like the guy I used to know, smiling the more I saw him, joking around with me, even with Hannah.  She seemed happier than she ever had been with him, and for a while, I really though things were about to turn around for Justin.  That he was going to move on.

Then, just like that, everything fell apart, and he was back to square one.  This time though, he has yet to bounce back from it all.  Bedridden half the time, and no choice but to work from home, his cabin fever has gotten way out of hand.  I’ve only seen him a couple of times since he was released from the hospital, and each time he’s looked worse, paler, more exhausted and much weaker. Naturally, his attitude has taken on a personality all it’s own.  He’s more miserable than I’ve ever seen him.  

Justin’s birthday is Saturday and Hannah has set up a gathering at her families beach house in Montauk to celebrate.  It’s a last ditch effort for her to get him smiling and involved in conversation.  I really don’t know if it’s going to work, and she’ll be crushed if it doesn’t.  If nothing else, I intend on talking to Justin about it today.  I’m going to tell him how important this is to Hannah, how hard she’s planned, how much she’s confided in me about it.  I’m hoping it’ll give him a wake up call, and really want to make him try.  I want him to see how much she loves him, even though, that doesn’t mean he’s just going to drop everything and consider her the greatest love of his life.

I hate to admit it…but I know he still has feelings for me, and while he would never admit that to me, it has to be tearing him apart.

It might be one of his biggest problems, those feelings, but what the hell am I supposed to do about it? I’m with someone else now.

I’m happy.

Tad treats me like a queen, and has since the first time we were given the chance to be alone on a date together.  He holds doors, pulls out seats, pays for everything, and is completely willing to try new things.  Needless to say, it wasn’t hard for me to fall for him.  I realized how lonely I was when he started coming around more than a couple of times a week.  Before I knew it, I never wanted him to leave, and six months later, he had moved into my apartment.  It’s been really nice, having him here.  He dotes on me every single day, brings me flowers every chance he gets, and constantly plans surprise weekend trips and little dinners for us that completely throw me off guard.  He keeps hinting at it…that we’ll get married in the next year or two.  I barely say anything.  I’ve been engaged too many times to trust that it will actually happen.  I’m content with the way things are…

But I know Tad won’t be satisfied until that ring is on my finger, we say our vows, and buy a house in suburban Long Island.

I guess I want that too.  But if I do, then why am I rushing off to tend to Justin? I have my own life, and Tad’s feelings about this should come first.  I won’t let him stand in the way of my visit though.  Does that mean something is off? Wrong with my relationship?

I won’t admit the truth, and that’s very bad.  I don’t want to hurt this man, because he’s probably the nicest one I’ve ever been with, or will ever be with.  

He’s not Justin though.

Nobody will ever be like Justin.  I mean, the Justin I knew.  The one that could bounce me back from some of the worst days I ever had, give me good advice, and throw his arm around me at the bar, drowning any issue out with a stupid joke and cute grin.

I miss him.

“Just promise me you’ll be home at a decent hour.” Tad huffs.  “All right?”

“Eight thirty, the latest.” I promise him with a small nod and bright smile, finishing it off with a long, slow kiss on his lips.  “And that’s with train time.”

“All right.”  He kisses me back with more force, and slowly pulls himself out of my arms so he can throw his blazer on.  “Call me on your way back?  I shouldn’t be at the studio long so I’ll fix dinner.”

“Sure.”  

He comes over and gives me a final kiss on the cheek.  “I’m sorry.”  He searches my eyes for a minute.  “Sometimes, I guess…I still can’t believe that I get to be with you.”

He can melt hearts.  That’s why the network resigned him to a multi million dollar contract.  I know the only heart he really wants to melt is mine though.  “I love you too.”

“I’ll see you tonight.”

I smile for him, and then he leaves for the studio.  When the door closes, I let out a huge sigh.  

I really need to get my priorities sorted out.  

I pack Justin and I a picnic basket with healthy snacks and fresh pressed fruit and vegetable juice that Hannah gave me a recipe for over the phone.  The lake behind his house is the perfect place for us to sit and enjoy it, and I start to look forward to the scenery and the fresh air, rather than worrying about my could-be feelings for him and the ones I know he has for me.  We have to talk about it, yes, but I’m ready to face it, to tell him that it just…can’t be, because I’m moving forward with my relationship, and he needs to do the same.

The house is mostly silent when I arrive, only the soft murmur of a television coming from the living room giving me any indication that there is indeed someone home.  “Hello? Justin? It’s me.”

“Living room, Mags.” I hear him say it after a moment.  

His voice sounds much weaker from what I remember, and the despair quickly begins to take over, prompting me to set the picnic basket down on the kitchen counter and make my way towards him.  It’s been a long time since I was here, but I can still remember the voices that used to fill these rooms.  An excited Tyler, asking his Uncle what he was making for dinner, a laughing Fay, stationed in the doorway, poking fun at her brother for one thing or another.  None of that exists anymore.  As I pass through the hallway I see obvious signs of Hannah’s presence instead.  New wall paper and throw rugs, along with framed pictures of the two of them positioned in various spots along the walls.  

His smile is forced in all but one.  I stop, stare at it…a group picture of us out in the city last Christmas, right before his heart attack.  Hannah is on his right, and I’m on his left, Tad following after me.  His eyes are bright, and his smile is carefree.  I try to think back on that night, what we did, where we went.  I can’t even remember.  It was a good night though.  I remember laughing with Justin, his personality almost completely like I remembered it to be.  


r32;I force myself to keep moving so I won’t get emotional.  I can’t be, not when he’s right around the corner.  

“Hey.”  I put on my best smile for him when I enter the living room.  “Hannah told you I was coming right?”

He glances over at me slightly before sitting up taller in the wheelchair and turning it towards me.  “Yeah.  It gave me incentive to drag my ass out of bed and get dressed,” he laughs.  “She’d be so proud of me.”

“She totally would be.”

I try to laugh, to keep my smile going for him despite his condition.  He’s paler than I’ve ever seen him, and so thin, the cheekbones are literally sticking out of his face now.  It’s scaring the hell out of me.  The oxygen is still there, the long clear tube jutting out from his nostrils, running over his upper lip and behind the tops of his ears, to keep it from getting tangled. The oxygen pack is attached to his chair, clicking and beeping every few seconds as new air is cycled through, into his body.

“I know, I look like a monster or a robot with this thing on,” he chuckles, in response to my staring.  “I was hoping I wouldn’t need it by the time we saw each other again.”  He reaches out to his right, where the four legged aluminum cane sits beside his wheelchair, and grabs the handle, groaning as he begins to use all his strength to stand up.

“Justin you really don’t have to…”

“I’d really like to.”  He coughs a little, pauses, but continues.  

“Maybe you shouldn’t.”

“I’m fine.”  He manages to look up at me, mid stance, his eyes serious, and determined.  It takes several more grueling minutes before he finally manages to stagger to an upright position away from his chair.  He pants, completely out of breath as the thick beads of sweat roll down the sides of his face.  “Mags…do you think….”  He has to pause  and catch his breath again.  “Mags do you think you can get my air tank and put it in that little backpack over there?”  He points somewhere behind him.  “Handle side up.”

I see it in a small wicker basket by the sofa, no doubt left by Hannah for easy accessibility.  I nod quickly and do ask he’s asked of me, using extreme care as I pull the air pack out of it’s cradle and position it inside the bag.  “Do you want me to carry it?”

“No you can just sling it over my shoulder.  It won’t knock me over, at least I don’t think it will,” he smiles.  “Hannah said you were packing a picnic right? The walk to the backyard shouldn’t kill me.”

“Yeah, she gave me some recipes, and I made some things…”  I sigh harshly and run a hand through my hair.  “Justin I don’t know, are you sure you’re up for this? You look…”

“I’ve looked like this for months, Maggie.  You just haven’t seen me.”

“Aren’t your doctors worried?”

“Of course.”

That smirk of his won’t go away.

“But Justin…”

“Can we just go?”  His eyes get sad, and his tone is pleading with me to drop my concerns.  “I’m sure we only have a couple of hours, right? Tad must have said something to you about coming out here so late in the day, and I know you, you’re not going to disappoint him if you don’t have to.”

 After all this time, he still knows me better than anyone, but that shouldn’t surprise me.  “I promised him I’d be home by eight thirty, the latest.”

He lets out a breath, and looks me in the eye.  “He’s a lucky guy, you know?  I hope he appreciates the fact that you’re going to run home to him after coming all the way out here.”

I shrug a little bit.  “He appreciates it.”

Nothing more is said. Once we make it into the kitchen, Justin has to put all of his concentration on making the walk from the back door to the patch of grass in front of the lake.  Despite my attempts, he refuses to let me help support him.  He does it all on his own, and it takes a good forty five minutes.  Each time he puts the cane in front of him, he can only take a couple of steps before he has to catch his breath.  It takes every single ounce of strength in me not to start crying.  I realize I can’t, because he’s keeping himself composed for me.  I have no idea if this is how he acts with Hannah, or if he allows himself to break down.  Knowing how he is now, so closed off to the world, I don’t doubt he’s this stubborn all the time.

“I just…I think I need some help sitting down.”  He pants out once we’ve made it to the lakeside.  

“Of course.”  I’ve made us a nice place under the shade of an oak tree in front of the water, and I quickly get to my feet and rush to his side, gripping his upper arm as he lets go of his cane.  It takes several painstaking minutes getting him lowered to the ground and propped up against the trunk of the tree, and he lets out a relieved sigh, his eyes closing once he realizes the worst is over.

“Are you sure you’re okay?”

“You sound so alarmed Maggie.” He laughs it off, and coughs harshly.  “It’s like I’m dying or something.”

I don’t say anything.

“Maggie.” His eyes flutter open.  “It was a joke.”

“You’re such an asshole.” I try desperately not to whimper, but I can’t hold it back.  “Are you always this fucking insensitive?  Wait, I don’t have to ask you that do I?”
 

He rolls his eyes.  “Damn, I can’t even joke around with you.”

“That’s not a joke.” I snap.  “Not to me.  Not to anyone.”

“Fine.” He sighs harshly.  “I’m sorry okay?”

I rub my face with my hands, and then I finally take a seat with him on the picnic blanket.  “It’s fine, just…don’t say things like that, all right?”  I begin to take all of the food and drinks out of the basket I brought.

“Noted.  So…what’s in your basket today? Cauliflower juice? Tofu?  Carrot sticks?”

“Everything that you’re allowed to eat.”  I force a cheesy grin for him, and when he shows me the same one in return, I know we’ve moved on from our last topic of conversation.  Thank God.  “And…”  I smirk.

He cocks his head to the side, and smirks.  “And?”

“If you’re a good boy there might be some contraband too.”

“God bless you.”  

I giggle as I pour some veggie fruit cocktail and pass him a cup.  I take some for myself too, and can feel the disgusted expression spread across my face after the first sip.

“Good stuff right?”  He winks after drinking half his glass.  “I don’t notice the sweaty balls aftertaste so much anymore.”

“I guess it’s an acquired taste.”

“It’s a tolerated taste so I don’t wind up on the pre-martial shit list more than I have to.  I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but I have a really demanding woman living with me,” he laughs.  

“But you love having her around.  I know you do.” I smile, but don’t look him in the eyes.

“Yeah.”  He gets another smile out for me, but that’s all he says.

“Hannah said the wedding might be a go for September now?” I question as a I pop a carrot stick in my mouth.

“Who knows?”  He shrugs slightly.  “If they can get me up the aisle and back without an oxygen tank and cane, I guess it’ll be a go.”

“Don’t sound too excited or anything.”

“I just have a lot more to worry about, you know?”

“What’s more important than Hannah at this point?  I mean, she’s here for you, every single day, and the only thing she wants is for you to get better, so she can marry you and continue to love you.  That’s fuckin’ dedication, Timberlake.”

“You really know how to make a guy feel guilty,” he laughs, a little sadly.

“Why guilty?”

“I just…it’s been fixed from the start, you know? My father set us up, and we set out on this five year plan.  Wedding, kids, all that.  It made sense and it wasn’t overbearing.  Then I started having complications and…I dunno…”

“You realized that her feelings weren’t fake, like yours were?”

“You got it.”  

I hate that he just admitted that.  It’s terrible, but at the same time, I’m not just anybody.  He’s always been able to talk to me like this, and it shouldn’t matter how much shit went down between us.  I’m still Maggie and he’s still Justin.  That will never change.

“That’s fucked up.”

He shrugs.  “Well, I’m pretty fucked up Mags.”

“You shouldn’t marry her if that’s how you feel.”

“I don’t have any other options.  Part of me loves her…for the kind of woman she is, for the things she’s done and still does for me.  It has to work Mags.  I don’t have anyone else that’s here for me.  Deep down, Hannah knows how I really feel, but she accepts it.  It’s a different world for us, but I would never hurt her.  I’ve learned my lesson that way.”

“Yeah and look, all you had to do was fuck up what we had to learn it.”

“Maggie…”

“You don’t deserve her.  You don’t deserve anybody.”  I shake my head and shove more carrots in my mouth.  

“I should just die alone, right?”

I feel tears on my cheeks. I don’t know where they came from.  “No. I…”  I hang my head low for a moment and wipe the tears away.  

“Do you think if I thought for a second that you still loved me, I wouldn’t try my hardest to get you back?  Do you actually think when I…when I pushed you away that I didn’t love you anymore?”

“Justin…”

“I’ve loved you since the day you walked into the firm for the first time Mags.  I’ll never stop.  I just lost my way…I lost Fay, and you didn’t deserve to stick around and watch me fuck my life up.  I wasn’t going to let that happen, so I broke it off.  I did it for you.”

“For me?” I let out a disgusted laugh.  “You broke my heart for the sake of my own welfare? How sweet of you.  I should be thanking you then?”

“I’m just trying to explain myself,” he whispers.  “You’re the only person I’ve ever really loved.  Hannah is great…she’s probably my best friend, but she’ll never be the woman that I love.  You don’t have to understand it, but that’s the way I feel.”

It takes me a long time to say anything at all.  This little voice in the back of my mind is crying out, telling me that Justin loves me.

Well I don’t care.

Because I’m not in love with him anymore.

I’m not.

“I’m in love with Tad.”  I finally say it.

It doesn’t make me feel better.

“Are you?”  He sits up slightly and cocks his head to the side.  “You were pretty quick to drop everything and come out here today.  I bet he had a few things to say about it too, because the guy can’t stand me.”

“I came because Hannah asked and…and you’ve been sick…”  I shake my head, press my lips together, determined to keep my tears at bay.  “I mean, I heard you were worse.  I had to make sure you were going to be all right.”

“Are you sure that’s the only reason why?”

He stares at me intensely, waiting for my response.

“I’m moving on with my relationship, Justin.”

He snorts.

“I love him.”

“You love the idea of being with a guy like him.  Come on Mags, this isn’t who you are.  Having a guy hold the door for you, pull out your chair and kiss your hand…where’s that girl I used to know huh? The one that did things for herself and drank me off my chair?”

“Gone.”

He sighs.  “If you’re going to be with someone else, please don’t let it be with a candy ass like that.”

“It’s not your fucking decision to make, is it?”

“No, it’s not.”

Frustrated, I push myself to my feet and begin to gather the contents of the picnic basket.  “This has gone on long enough.  I just…I have to get back and I’m sure this conversation isn’t good for your heart.”

“They told me I’ll need a heart transplant if things don’t improve.”

I stop.  My whole world just…stops, and I turn to face him quickly.  “If you’re just saying that…I swear…”

“I’m not.  They told me two days ago, at my appointment.  Nobody knows.  You’re the first person I’ve told.”

“Well I mean, it’ll help you.  You’ll get better.”

“Do you know how many complications come with a heart transplant? I mean, it’s optional, but they said it’s the only way I’ll get better.”

“Optional?”

“Meaning I don’t have to do it.”

“And if you don’t?”

He sighs again, and stares at me for a few minutes before finding his voice.  “Then I have to hope I get better on my own.  If I don’t, I’ll have a year, maybe less, depending.”

“So that means it’s not optional.”  I grit it at him.  “Obviously.”

“Things can go wrong even if I get the transplant.” He says it nonchalantly, like we’re talking about the weather.  “I mean hey, it’s not that big of a deal I guess, they’re just taking my heart out of my body and putting a different heart back in.  I may die on the operating table,  I may not.  People can take bets…make it fun—”

“Fuck, Justin, would you shut the hell up!” I scream.  “You’re not dying!”

“I’m trying to be real with you, in terms of what to expect.  I don’t want you to turn to me later and ask why I didn’t tell you from the beginning.  There’s nothing else I regret more than holding my feelings back from you Mags.”

“You have to get that surgery.  There’s no other choice, Justin.  Do you understand?  When Hannah gets home you better tell her, or I will.”

“I already planned on telling her tonight,” he nods.  “I’m not going to keep it a secret, I’m just…glad, that I got to tell you first.”

“Oh yeah, because it’s such great news.”

It’s silent.  I feel like I’m going to be sick.  

He could die.  He really could.  

I don’t know if I’d survive it, if he was gone.  I don’t think I could live without him.  It would leave this big empty space inside of me, and all that means is, that I really do still love him.

I start to weep right there in front of him.  I can’t help it.  I just keep thinking of him gone…just…gone…

“Mags, it’s going to be all right,” he says gently.  “Come on, don’t cry.”

“You bastard.”  I whimper, rubbing my eyes harshly as he continues to sit against that damn tree.  “You’re such a bastard and I hate you for it!”

He does his best to get to his feet.  I’m so hysterical that I can’t even yell at him to stop.  I just cry, and cry, right there by the lake, under the tree.  And then, by some miracle, he’s there, his arms around me, his hand rubbing my back in a soothing motion.

“I don’t want you to die.” I sob into his thin, bony shoulder.  “Please don’t die.”

“I’m not gonna die, Mags.” He laughs into me.  “Come on, you know I’m stronger than that, even if I am a bastard.”

I can’t help but laugh through my tears.  “I’m sorry I said that I hated you.  I don’t…I don’t at all.”

“But you still think I’m a bastard.”

“For now.” I sniff.

“Hey.”  He tucks a finger under my chin and tilts my head up, so I’m forced to look into his eyes.  “I don’t care how it makes me sound, but I’m in love with you.” He tucks a strand of loose hair behind my ear, just like that time in his kitchen, before he kissed me.  “And I understand if you can’t love me back, if you’ve moved on, because you have every right to do that.  I deserve to be without you.”

I close my eyes and shake my head.  Stupid.  I’m stupid.  “No you don’t,” I say, and then I feel the touch of his lips to my forehead.  It feels amazing.  

“But we can’t do this right now,” he whispers.  “Can we?”

My eyes open.  “No.  We can’t.”

“Baby! They didn’t need me for that long after all!  Maggie did you get him outside! Oh my gosh!”

It’s Hannah.  Justin takes his hands off of my face but doesn’t back away.  I know this will be acceptable to her, because he can barely stand on his own.  

“That’s your soon to be wife,” I laugh and sniffle, wiping the excess tears away.  

He doesn’t acknowledge her presence.  “Will you stick things out…just…be here for me, until all this surgery crap blows over?  I don’t think I can make it through this without you, Maggie.”

I nod gently as Hannah begins to loom closer to us in the background, big smile on her face, probably because she got out of the studio early.  “I’ll be here.”

He squeezes my hand.  “Thank you.”

That smile is back.  The one I fell in love with.  

It’s a good start.

Chapter 19 by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
I'm a horrible person...It's almost done I swear

May 3, 2016

1:10pm

Monroe Family Beach House

212 West Lake Dr.

Montauk, NY 11954


I didn’t realize how wealthy Hannah’s family really was until Tad and I pulled up to the giant beachfront home a few hours ago.  It must have simply slipped my mind, because Hannah has never acted like a spoiled rich girl in front of me.  The place really is breathtaking though, with panoramic views of the beach and ocean from every room, and cozy, expensive furnishings I could only dream of.  You could probably fit a family of fourteen right inside the foyer with plenty of breathing room to spare.  I can’t even begin to image the size of Hannah’s family estate, but I’m sure it’s the same as, or even larger, than Justin’s family home.  I can’t help but feel a little out of place here.  It’s a completely different world that the two of them are from.  Old money, old traditions, and unfathomable wealth.

Even so, there’s so much missing behind the scenes.  Things that money can’t buy.

I can tell Justin broke the news about the surgery to Hannah, as promised.  That light that’s normally sparkling in her eyes is nonexistent today, despite the smile she’s keeping on her face for everybody.  She’s barely struck up a conversation since we’ve been here, and she’s constantly checking the time, racing away when the little alarm on her phone goes off every hour.  Justin must be on new medication.  

It makes my heart ache, to know how much she cares about him, while his heart is in a completely different place.

Dozens of people have turned up for the occasion.  Hannah’s colleagues from the network, friends, and a lot of people from Harrison and Fink, who haven’t hesitated to trap me in a corner and interrogate me about what I’ve been up to since I left the place.

“I thought for sure you and Timberlake were going to end up as a thing.” Nancy from Human Resources had laughed over the rim of her wine glass.  “Attached at the hip, that’s what you two were.  What ever happened anyway? Hannah snatched him up? Such a pity.”

I felt my stomach turn, and wasn’t sure if I wanted to slap her or just scream at her.  “I…”

“Hey.”

Tad stepped in then, showing off those perfect dimples of his, and thank God.  I quickly introduced him, hoping to steer away from the subject, and it worked.  She immediately became enraptured with the fact that I was engaged to Tad Haines, the subject of Justin and I floating away like the cool summer breeze outside the window.

I’ve been keeping a low profile since that uncomfortable conversation.  Tad has been his usual self, doting on me, and attempting to wait on me hand and foot while lunch was being served.  Eventually I told him to go hang out with Elijah and the boys since the game was on, and…well…he was really starting to get on my nerves with his constant ‘baby what can I get you’s’ and all the touching and kissing.  He loves PDA, and yeah, I guess most women would swoon at those damn dimples and let his hands wander wherever they wanted to on a daily basis.  I’m not most women though.  I don’t want him groping me in public…

Or hell, maybe I’m just irritated today.

I haven’t even seen Justin yet.  Hannah told me he was resting until it was time for cake, and I’ve been trying since we got here to go and wish him a happy birthday.  Naturally, Tad has been doing everything in his power to keep me distracted and in his line of vision.  He’s nervous.  He’s been nervous since the day I brought Justin that picnic lunch, because when I came home I was still a wreck from the emotional moments we shared by the lake.  I could still feel his frail form wrapped around me, I could still smell the scent of his body wash, the warmth of his neck pressed against mine as he hugged me, and the electric touch of his lips to my forehead as we were forced to part ways.

I knew the only thing I wanted to do was go back, and lie in his arms.  I couldn’t tell Tad any of it, but I’m sure he figured it out.  Deep down he knows that I have feelings for Justin.  He doesn’t mention it, because he’s terrified that I’ll agree, and leave him.

I know that we can’t keep going on like this.  Sooner or later, I’m going to have to make a choice to be in this relationship with him, or focus on Justin.  But how is that fair if I choose Justin? He’s not exactly single, and…he’s with my best friend, who, in fact, is still fucking clueless about the feelings I have for her fiancé, and our past.

It’s just a big damn mess, but yet, here I am.  If I gave a damn about my relationship, I would have skipped this party all together, and gone out for a day of fun with Tad.

I couldn’t miss it though. Justin needs me, and I made a promise.

I manage to make it outside unnoticed.  Elijah and the other guys have my fiancé completely distracted with basketball and beers, and I savor the soft breeze that sweeps across my face as I plant myself down in a lounger on the deck, gazing out at the dark blue waves lapping up on the white sand beach.  I close my eyes.  Justin and I never had a chance to go for a walk on the beach.  We never really had a chance to do anything as a couple, besides cope together, and that didn’t even work.

Sometimes I feel so cheated, but then I push those feelings away.

“Well, you can’t just hide all day.”

The door at the opposite end of the deck opens, and Justin is wheeled out by Hannah, who looks absolutely flustered.  

“I just need some air! What don’t you understand? Damn it, Hannah.”

“This is your party, Justin.  These people came to see you and…I understand, all right? I’m not asking you to spend the entire party around all the noise, but just a few minutes to say hello.  That’s it.”

“I didn’t ask for the party.  I told you I didn’t want a party, but you insisted.  You told me what I was doing.  That’s all you ever do.”

“You’re so fucking stubborn. No wonder your heart…”

“Maggie?”  

He notices me as I get up from the lounger, ready to hightail it inside the house so I don’t interrupt their banter. “Oh, hey…um…happy birthday.  I was just going inside…”

“Don’t be silly.” He sits up a little taller in his wheelchair, and his smile instantly appears.  “Seriously, this deck is huge.”

“Hi Maggie,” Hannah huffs with a disgusted look on her face.  “Maybe you can talk some sense into him, because he sure as hell won’t listen to me.”

Her voice cracks.  I know she’s an even bigger mess because they’ve been fighting.  I’m sure it started upstairs, and has gone non stop up until now.  “You guys need to talk.”

“I’m done talking to him.”

She just leaves him like that, out on the deck, without a kiss, another word, or a plate of food or a drink, like she normally does.  The door bangs shut harshly behind her.  In all this time I’ve never seen her this angry with him, but then again, I think it has a lot more to do with how worried she is about the upcoming surgery than anything else.

“Fuck.”  Justin seems to whisper it to himself with a shake of his head, rubbing a hand over the stubble that’s covering his cheeks and chin.  

“I can probably go and calm her down,” I tell him, starting toward the door again.

“Don’t bother.”

I stop in my tracks.  “She’s upset.  That’s obvious.”

He licks his lips as he stares out at the water.  “Let ‘er go.”

“What happened.”  I look back out at the waves as I say it, barely being able to look at him for more than a few moments, in fear of what I might say.

Of what I might confess to him.

“She cares too much,” he tells me gently.  “She thought throwing this party for me would somehow make me feel like myself again.”

“I don’t think she knows what else to do.”

He shrugs.  “Neither do I.  I’m out of options, Mags.  But I wouldn’t…I mean, if this were happening to Hannah I wouldn’t force her to do things she didn’t feel like doing.”

“Did you tell her that?”

He shrugs a little bit, and begins to cough harshly.  So harshly that I start to fear he won’t be able to stop, or catch his breath.

 “Are you…”

He digs out his inhaler and manages to get it in his mouth, sucking in deeply.  “Fine,” he croaks, and clears his throat harshly, being sure to adjust the oxygen tube securely back in place, before his gaze lands back on me.  “How long are you staying?”

I pull a chair up beside him, and cautiously slip back against it.  “I don’t know.  All day I guess.  Tad is preoccupied with the game and the guys so I snuck out here for a bit.”

“Can you stay?”  He stares at me intently.  “Out here with me?”

“I…”  I glance back through the window and into the house.  I can just make out Tad, high fiving Elijah over something. “I guess it’s okay.”

“I told her, yesterday,” he says it quickly, like I’m about to run off or something.  “She hasn’t taken the news well, you know how she can be…” He trails off and lets out a small laugh.  “I told her that the stupid vegan shit she’s been feeding me hasn’t helped at all.  I guess I was angry.”  He looks down at his lap.  “We’ve been fighting ever since, and I really…I feel like shit for it, I do, but at the same time, it’s like my only outlet.  Tossing those emotions at her is the only way I can fucking relax, you know?”

“It’s not fair to her though, you must know that.”

“I just don’t know how else to deal with it.  I’m…”  His face turns red and the tears begin to seep out of his eyes and down his face.  “I’m fucking terrified, Maggie.  I don’t know what to do.  I can’t tell her how I feel, not about this.  She’s not like you.  She can’t just listen to me, have a conversation and figure things out…she blows everything out of proportion most of the time.  I could handle it before, you know? At times I thought it was kind of cute.  Now it’s just driving me out of my skull.”

I look back out at the water, gripping the arms of the lounger tightly.  “You have to stop comparing her to me.  She’s not me, Justin.  She’s Hannah and she’s funny, and bright, and she loves you…”

“I don’t love her.”

I refuse to look at him.  “Don’t say that.”

“It’s the truth.  You know it’s the truth, because you know where my heart is right now.”

“You can’t keep doing this, Justin.” I shake my head.  “You can’t, because you’re going to get hurt in the end.  We talked about this the other day.  I can’t just…leave Tad, and I don’t care what you say, I know you care about Hannah.”

“So you’re staying with him?”

“Why wouldn’t I?”

He says nothing.  Only the beep and click of his oxygen pack fills the void in our conversation.

“I’m going in,” I sigh harshly and push myself to my feet.  “This conversation isn’t helping you, and you can’t afford to be stressed out anymore than you already are.  Talk to Hannah, would you?”

“I meant what I said you know.”

I groan.  “Justin…”

“I’d fight for you,” he whispers.  “If I thought there was a chance for us.  I’d fight until I couldn’t physically do it anymore.”

“There’s no chance for us.”  I try not to let my voice crack, but fail miserably.  “I’m here for you.  I always will be, but…it can’t…we can’t do this, Justin.”

“Now look at me and say it.”

Fuck.

Fuck.

“Mags.”

I turn to him, stare into his eyes, sunken in and hollow.  His skin is paler than it was two days ago, and I’m scared of losing him.  I’m so scared of losing him, but I don’t want to turn into a blubbering mess like the other day.  I can’t afford it, and God forbid someone walked out and caught me that way.  

“Tell me that you don’t love me,” he whispers, coughing a little more but getting it under control this time.  “Say it.”

But I can’t say it.  I can’t, and I hate it.  I want to call him a bastard and a fool, but my tongue goes dry when I try to get the words out.  All I can do is stare at him for the longest time, and then it just comes out of my mouth, like vomit.  “I fucking miss you,” I whimper.  “Christ, I don’t…I don’t sleep…I just…I dream about you…all the time.”  I rub the tears pouring out of my eyes harshly.  “And I hate that! I fucking hate that because Tad is a good guy! He treats me like I deserve!  I have no reason to look back, or regret walking away from us!”

Justin wheels himself closer to me, looking up into my eyes.  “But you do.”

“Yeah.”  I miserably plop back down into the lounger.  “I do.”r32;
I

n an instant I feel his hand on my cheek, and I can’t do anything else but put my hand on top of it, clinging on like it’s my very last moment with him.

“Mags.  I love you.  I love you with everything that’s left inside of me.”

My eyes meet his.  “I love you,” I whisper.

Then he kisses me.  He kisses me before I can stop him, before I have a chance to look and see who might be watching.  None of it matters to him, because he knows he doesn’t have anything else to lose.  My lips grab his back hungrily, and I’m so careful not to be too harsh, not to pull on him for fear of toppling him out of his chair.

“Let’s go somewhere,” he begs me, out of breath, as our kiss breaks.  “Away from here.”

“We can’t.”  I shake my head harshly and smooth my hair back, wiping off the remnants of his kiss from my lips.  “You know we can’t.  You’re too sick, Justin, and there’s too many people here.”

He nods slightly.  “I’m going to tell her, before the surgery.  I’m going to tell her that it’s over.”

“Don’t.  Just…leave it.”

“I’m not leaving it.”

I know he’s serious.

“She’ll hate me.”

He shakes his head slightly.  “I won’t let her.”

“Tad’s going to propose.”

He stares at me for a long moment.  “How do you know?”

“I just know.”

“So tell him you can’t.”

“I don’t know what I’m going to say, and you don’t really know if you want to end things with Hannah either.  We love each other, but are we supposed to be together?”

“Of course we are.”

I sigh harshly and sniff back the onset of more tears.  “There’s so much more to it, Justin.  So much more than you’re thinking about right now, and I understand why you can’t see the problems that will be waiting for us.”

The door opens suddenly, down at the other end of the deck, and my heart skips a beat when I see Tad sticking his head out of it, smiling at me.  “Babe, the cake is coming out….oh hey Justin, happy birthday.”

My heart begins to regulate itself again.  He doesn’t have a clue, and that means no one else does either.  That’s fucking miraculous.

“Thanks, man,” Justin nods, forcing a smile like always.

“We’ll be right in,” I smile for my boyfriend, and when he simply smiles back, I know we’re completely in the clear.

“All right.”

Tad walks back inside, letting the door close gently behind him.

“Justin I’m going to marry him,” I say quickly.  “I just…am, and you’re going to marry Hannah.  It’s the way things have to be, and I wish they were different.  I wish we could go back, and change everything that happened, but we can’t.”

“There’s second chances,” he tells me.

“I can’t trust you.”  I barely look at him.  I hate it, but it’s true.

That’s what’s holding me back.  

“I’m clean, Mags.  You know that.”

“That’s not what I mean.  You shattered me that day you pushed me away, and I can’t be sure that you wouldn’t pull that on me again,” I whisper.

“You know I wouldn’t.”

“But I can’t be sure.”

“Mags, come on…”

“I can’t just…get over it like you think I can, and I’m not going to screw Tad over because you want to try things again.  That’s not fair.”

“It’s not about him.  It’s about us.”

“But it is about him, it’s about Hannah too.  You just can’t see that.”

He just laughs.  I don’t think he has a clue how to respond.

“I…I’m going in.  Are you coming?”

He doesn’t say anything, just turns his chair around so his back is to me.

“Real mature.”

“I love you more than anything.  That’s what you can’t see, Maggie.  Despite what happened, I never stopped loving you.”

“You said you couldn’t love me.”

“I said I couldn’t marry you.  I never said that I couldn’t love you.”

“I have to go.”  I force myself to say it.

His shoulders slump in the chair.  “Then go.”

And I do.  Head held high.  Barely being able to control my tears this time.

Chapter 20 by ialwayzbesingin
July 23, 2016

1:04pm

Glen Cove Hospital

101 St. Andrews Lane

Glen Cove, NY 11542


“Everything is pretty black and white.  I looked it over one more time, but you should be fine signing it today.”

I lick my lips and take the packet with a trembling hand.  Signing your last will and testament when everyone is telling you that you’re going to pull through just fine is pretty damn unsettling.  I have no choice though.  I want to make sure Tyler gets what’s rightfully his just in case…well…just in case.  Benjamin has been surprisingly supportive, even offering to draw up the papers himself and take in a list of all my personal assets so I wouldn’t have to worry about it.  It’s the first time in my life we’ve had any type of bond and also the first time I’ve trusted him.  I mean, he has more money than I do, so there’s no reason why he would try to cheat Tyler out of what I want to give him.  

If I do one thing right in this life, it’ll be leaving that kid every penny I have if I…well…if things don’t go like they’re supposed to.

“Very risky, you’ll probably die right there on the operating table,” said no doctor ever.  I wish someone would, just one cardiologist.  I wish he or she would pull me aside and let me know that yes, there is a very high risk factor in all of this.  That yes, I could go under the anesthesia and never wake up again.  

Nobody wants me to hear the truth. They’re afraid of what it might do to me in my ‘fragile’ state.  

I hate doctors.

“What…what is that?”

We both look toward the door, and I groan inwardly.  Hannah has come back from her coffee run.

“Just some paperwork…” Benjamin starts.

I frantically sign on the dotted line so she won’t be able to stop me.

“Is that the will?”  Hannah storms over and snatches it out of my hand.  “Benjamin! Today?”

“I’m just trying to get it out of the way now so…”

“Get out!”  The tears stream down her face and she literally throws it at my father.  “GET OUT!!”

“Talk later…” He yells it back to me over his shoulder as he escapes from the room.

“I swear…the fucking nerve.  I can’t leave you alone with that man for five minutes.”  She slams the door, and turns back around, pressing her body against it and sniffling a little.  “Are you okay?”

I sigh slightly and glance out the window.  “I asked him to come here.  You didn’t have to chase him out.”

“You’re getting surgery tomorrow.  Heart transplant surgery, Justin.  This isn’t the time for him to come barging in with that—”

“And when was I supposed to sign the thing, Hannah?” I cut her off.  “It’s reality.  It had to be done, and now it is.”

“You act like he’ll actually need to use it.” Her voice squeaks and cracks.  

“I don’t know what’s going to happen.”  I finally make myself look at her.  “That’s what it’s for, in case it’s needed.  Let it go, all right?”

“Oh, let it go, right.” She lets out a bitter laugh and begins to walk towards me.  “There’s a chance you may never see me again after tomorrow, but I’m just supposed to suck it up? I mean how the fuck can you expect me to do that…”

I begin to tune out her ramblings, even when she’s right there beside the bed, telling me how messed up I am for not caring about her feelings.  It’s all I’ve heard for weeks, and I’ve gotten pretty good at this selective hearing thing.  Actually, it’s probably the only thing keeping me sane.

Well, that and Mags.  Mags has been a fucking lifesaver.   I haven’t seen her in a couple of days, but she promised she would be at the hospital to wish me well before I went in for surgery.  I’m counting on that I guess.  I’m counting on her smile, her soft, subtle way of joking with me, listening to her tell me that she cares.  It might be the one thing that gets me through all of this, and that’s pretty bad, considering Hannah has been by my side all along, making certain I’m comfortable, well fed, and relaxed.

What happened between Mags and I on my birthday is something we haven’t talked about.  It took her the better part of the following week to call me, but when she did, we had a long talk about what our friendship meant, and both agreed that we didn’t want to lose it.  It’s been hard, not discussing my feelings for her, but she made it perfectly clear that she couldn’t be my friend if it meant a constant argument about what couldn’t be.

I still miss the hell out of her.  That kiss…it left me with a feeling inside that I haven’t experienced since we were together.

I’d do anything to get it back.  To get her back.

Am I a bad person?  I really don’t know.  I just know that I’ve been a lot happier since Maggie has been coming back around, visiting, and talking with me.  I’ve found that I can still talk to her about anything, just like before, and she listens, and understands.  

I know I could spend the rest of my life with her, that’s the only bad part.

“Are you even listening to me?”

I tune her back in.  I have to.  She’s standing there, her beautiful face streaked with tears because of how insensitive I am, and while I don’t have a deep love for her, I still feel like shit, making her cry when everything is so up in the air with the surgery.  “I’m sorry.  I should have signed those papers weeks ago, I just…”

“You put it off, and you kept that from me.”

“I guess so.” I shrug slightly.  “I didn’t want to face it.  I didn’t think it would come down to all this.”

“You’re lucky that they found a donor,” she whimpers.  “You’re lucky that your father is so damn powerful and could get you to the top of a waitlist.  Imagine if things hadn’t worked out this way, and you hadn’t faced it in time?”

“Well that didn’t happen.”

“But it could have.” She sniffles.

“I left everything to Tyler, I hope you know.” My eyes narrow.  “That will has almost nothing to do with you.”

“Just the ‘you’ll be dead’ part,” she sneers.  “I guess I should look the other way, huh? I must be a fool.”

“Hannah, come on…”

“No! Damn it, Justin, our future is at risk too, but that seems like the furthest thing from your mind.”

I stare at her, the thoughts taking over me immediately.  If this goes well, which, god willing, it will, the next step for us is marriage.  There’s no doubt about that, it’s only a question of how long it will take to get back on my feet. Three weeks in the hospital post surgery then… six months? Eight? Who knows?  The point is, there won’t be anymore excuses once I get there.  If I’m well, the wedding will go off without a hitch.  I’m not scared of it, I just…I guess I know that I want something else even more.  It’s unrealistic to think about being with Mags though, especially now that Tad has put a ring on her finger.  

It happened a couple of weeks ago, and I told her…I never expected her to say no to him.  We had been alone, by some miracle, and she actually apologized to me.  I have no idea why.  Yes, I had told her that I was in love with her, but I never expected her to come back to me.  I didn’t deserve a second chance with her, after what I’d done, and she flat out told me that she couldn’t trust me.

It’s just going to be hell, living with it, watching it, seeing her build a family with him.  The family that could have been mine.

Somehow, I’m going to have to learn to be happy with Hannah, and the life we build together.

First though, I have to survive this heart transplant.

It was just a week after my little picnic with Mags that my cardiologist started his search for a donor.  Benjamin, being Benjamin, made a very large contribution to the hospital, and so my name was conveniently placed on the top of the wait list for a heart. I feel guilty, every single day.  I’m sure there are lots of people on that list that deserve another chance at life besides me, but at the same time, am I going to tell them that I’d rather wait to bump someone else up the list? No.  I’m too selfish, and I guess…I really don’t want to die at thirty.   

I’m terrified of tomorrow.  Terrified of the way the steel of the operating table will feel underneath me, like icy cold death.  I’m terrified of the anesthesia, of the mask they’ll put over my face and the way they’ll tell me to count back from ten.  I’ll be out cold before I can count down to seven, and then my life will officially be in their hands.  I can’t tell Hannah that.  I can’t break down, because I know she wont’ be able to handle it.  She’s a wreck, and while she won’t admit how bad it’s gotten, I can tell she hasn’t been sleeping, has barely been eating.  She’s sacrificing every emotion and every part of her life for me, and while I don’t want her to care this much, saying that won’t change the way she feels.

“Can’t you say something? Anything?”

I stare at her, into her eyes that are filled with tears, and I try to come up with something good.  I try to talk to her sometimes, like I would talk to Maggie, but it never works.  I can’t share my feelings with Hannah the way I can with Mags.  They’re too different, and they will always be.  

“I know that I’m going to pull through this.” I slowly take her hand in mine and lace my fingers through hers, squeezing slightly so she’ll know I’m being sincere.  “Sometimes I can be selfish, and distracted, and I’m sorry about that, but you’ve always known that this is how I am.  We’re going to get married, have children, and build our lives just like we’ve always talked about,” I nod. “Right now, what I need is for you to stop panicking about everything.  Benjamin is just doing what I asked of him, nothing more.”

“You make it sound like we’re just going to go through the motions.”  She pulls her hand from mine, and slowly sinks down into the chair at my bedside.

“What?”

“There’s no emotion coming from you about all of that…marriage, and having children.  It’s all cut and dry, like it’s what we’re supposed to be doing because it’s written in some manual.”

I snort.  “Now you’re being ridiculous.”

“Sometimes I feel like I care about you more than you’ll ever care about me.”

I meet her gaze, and her expression is stone cold, because she knows its the truth.  “I care about you, Hannah.  You know I care about you.”

“But you don’t love me.”

I sigh.  “This isn’t a conversation I want to have right now.”

“Well we’re having it, so deal.”

“I love you,” I nod.  “I love you the best I can, in our circumstance.  You know what I mean Hannah, and you’ve always known how things are.  You and I were more set up than anything else, but that’s what you wanted, that’s what our families wanted for us.”

“Is it what you wanted, Justin?  A fixed up relationship? A love that’s barely there?”

“No.”  It slips out before I can stop myself, but I won’t look at her.  I can’t look at her.  

This is fucking ridiculous.  I shouldn’t be having a conversation like this before life altering surgery.  She’s here for me, and that’s all that should matter.  I should have made up more feelings, acted like she was all I would ever need.

But I can’t.

I know where my heart is, and it’s barely with her.

“Then what did you want?”

“Hannah…”

“At this point, we should just be honest about everything, don’t you think?”

She’s right.  There’s no point in holding things back, because tomorrow could go in a lot of different directions.  

“I was in love once, really, deeply in love, with someone.  When my sister passed away, I lost control of everything in my life, including her, and I’ll always regret that, but I have to live with it.”

“I wish you would talk about her with me…Fay.  Your father always tells me how close the two of you were, but I feel like I’ll never get to know the person that she was.  I feel like…the person you really are died with her.”

“It did,” I croak.  The tears begin to glide out of my eyes and over my cheeks, and it’s pointless to try and stop them.  I haven’t talk about Fay with her, ever.

Maybe it’s time.

“She was the best friend I ever had,” I continue.  “And the more she tried to prepare me for living my life without her, the more I hid from the truth.  It was my own fault…everything that happened to me after she died, including losing the person that I loved.  When you came along, it saved me from going over the edge I guess, because I was a mess, and so lonely…I was lost, Hannah.  Sometimes, I don’t know what I would have done if you hadn’t been there for me, and I hate myself for being so god damn selfish when it comes to you, because I know how much you care about me.  I just…I never got over Maggie.  I don’t know if I ever will, and you should know the truth.  I should have told you right from the beginning, but I didn’t want to lose one more person in my life.”

“Maggie?”

I nod.  I don’t have to say anything, because she’s not stupid.

“You and Maggie…” She shakes her head slightly.  “It makes sense now.  You two get a long like…my god…I’ve never seen you that way around anyone else.  I told myself it was because you’d worked together for such long time but…I guess…I always knew it was more than that.”

“If you’re angry I…”

“Has anything happened?”

I hesitate.  I know the truth will hurt her, but I can’t lie.  Not today.  God forbid something goes wrong tomorrow… “We kissed…in Montauk.”

It takes her a long time to answer me.  At first she’s staring back at me, her eyes stone cold, but then her emotions seem to take over, and she has to look down at her lap.  I don’t hear her sobbing, but when she looks up at me again, I see a stray tear or two on her face.

“What else happened?”

“Nothing,” I rasp.  “But that’s mostly because I can’t do anything the way I am right now.”

“Do you want more, Justin?”

I want to lie.  Lying would be easier, because I know her heart is starting to break right here in front of me.  The last thing I ever wanted to do was hurt this woman, but it looks like I don’t have a choice.  “I love her, Hannah.”

“Does she know that?”

“She’s known for a long time.”

She looks down at her lap again, but no sound comes out of her.  She just keeps nodding her head, as if that will make what I did…what I said, completely fine.  

“I guess I’m supposed to be really angry, or just really sad.” She laughs a little.  “I don’t know how to feel though.  Not today…with all that’s happening.  I just…I want to understand, Justin.  I want that more than anything else.”

It’s the craziest thing, what she just told me.  I expected her to storm off, or just cry hysterically.  I guess Hannah has a lot more backbone than I thought possible, and she’s proving it to me.  She’s showing me what she can put up with in our relationship.  She’s showing me that cheating wouldn’t drive her away.  

But I don’t want to cheat on her.  She may not be the person I truly love, but she’s not a piece of shit.  She deserves better.  

I wish she hadn’t picked me.

“Telling you that I don’t want something to happen, would be a lie,” I finally tell her.  “But …we have different lives now, she’s engaged, and…I have you, if you’ll still have me.”

“So you’d be fine with just settling for me? Because it makes the most sense?”

She doesn’t say it with disgust.  Actually, she seems pretty open to the whole thing, because she knows how this works.  Her parents marriage is the same as my parents marriage.  It’s how our world works.  “I sure as hell don’t want anybody else.  You and me…we make sense.  We can make this work if we want to, and I’m okay with that.  I’m okay with being a team and raising a couple of smart, successful kids with you.  I know I can’t do any better, although, I know you could.”

“I don’t want to do better,” she whispers, and covers my hand with hers, rubbing it gently.  “I want to be with you Justin.  I want to do this with you.  I know that…over time, we could grow to love each other deeply.”

I’d like to tell her I believe that.

But I don’t.

She doesn’t wait for me to explain, I think she knows that I couldn’t say anything else at this point, so she leans in and gives me a soft kiss on the lips and forehead instead, caressing my cheek gently afterwards and giving me her classic smile.  “I’ll be back a little later, all right?  I’m sure you need to rest.”

“Probably.” I manage a half smile.  “You should try to get some sleep.”

“Yeah.”  She crosses the room and opens my door.  “I’ll try.”

“Hannah.”  I call out to her when she’s halfway out the door.

“Yeah?”  She looks back over her shoulder.  

I try to find the words.  To tell her that I meant it when I said I loved her, because I do…to an extent.  

I can’t do it.

“Justin, do you need something?”

“You and Mags, I mean…is this going to affect your friendship?”

She laughs slightly.  “It’s not like you slept with her.  I’m sure we’ll talk, but…she’s one of my best friends.  I can understand why she didn’t say anything.  We’ll be fine, I don’t want you to worry about it, all right?”

“Okay.”

She nods slightly, but says nothing else before leaving me alone in my room.  The thoughts about tomorrow, signing the will, and my conversation with Hannah overwhelm me.  I don’t remember dozing off, but when my eyes flutter open again, it feels like hours have gone by.  I find my bed tray in front of me with a small plate of toast and crackers waiting and I sigh, grunting slightly as I push myself up in bed.

“I didn’t know when you were going to wake up, so I just told them to leave you a snack.”

My eyes dart to the voice, and then I see him there, sitting in the chair by my bedside, ball cap clutched in his hands, barely meeting my gaze.  It’s been a long time since I’ve talked to my nephew, and I have to admit, he looks more grown up than ever.  It’s been almost two years since we lost Fay, and he’s gotten much taller, the lacrosse he plays has made his body toned and athletic, and I know that he’s turning into a teenager.  He hasn’t been that wild little boy for some time now, and it’s obvious that I barely know him anymore.  “Ty…hey.”

“Grampy said I should come visit you before tomorrow,” he says it quietly and looks at the floor.  

“Yeah well, I’m really glad you made the trip out.” I smile for him, but he doesn’t return it.  “How’s…everything been going? How are your classes?”

He shrugs. “Okay.”

Silence settles over us.  It fucking blows.  I have no idea what to say to the kid, and Fay would be more than disappointed if she could look in on us now.  

“You know, after all of this blows over…I can talk to Hannah about you and I taking a trip, just us.”

“It’s okay.”

I laugh slightly.  “Well, I think it might do us some good.”

“Uncle Justin, I’m too busy at school to take time off.  My classes are pretty hard, and I have a full schedule.  When I come home for visits Grampy has me doing things too.”

“There’s always room for exceptions, Tyler.”

“I just wanted to come see you today.  I don’t need to go on a trip with you.”
I run a hand over my mouth.  I’ve lost when it comes to him, and it’s been that way for a long time.  There’s no one else to blame but myself, and it’s something I’ll regret always, just like Maggie.  “Well…I’m glad you came out.”

“Uncle Justin.”  He looks me in the eyes this time, and I can tell that he’s terrified.  “I just…are you going to be okay after tomorrow? You know, after the surgery?”

“Of course buddy.”  I swallow my lie and it hurts going down, but I do whatever I can to keep a straight face for him.  

“I just don’t want to go through it again…like when mom died.” He rubs his face harshly and sobs a little.  “I know…I know we don’t really see each other anymore, but I still…I still need you.”

“Ty…”  I shift a little, but I’m too weak, and in too much pain to make a move out of bed.  Frustrated, I sit back against the pillows and sigh.  “Look, I’m going to be fine.”

“But what if you’re not? Then what happens?” He whimpers.  “I miss…I miss living with you.  I miss mom.  Things don’t make sense now, and sometimes I just…I don’t know where to turn.  I want to call you, but I never do.”

“You can always call me, Ty.”

Christ, what have I done? I’m a complete asshole.  It’s obvious that he’s having a hard time adjusting to school, and misses me.  I pushed him away.  That was my fault, but I don’t know if I can just rip him out of school now.  He’s established, and starting over again might do more damage to him than good.  I’m sure he has friends, and he must like it there since he plays sports.  Benjamin told me that he’s been doing well with Lacrosse and Soccer.

“I want to come home,” he sobs.  “I hate Valley Hill and the snobs that go there.”

“Of course you can come home.” I say it without another thought.  There’s no options, just this, because he’s Fay’s son, and it’s my obligation to make him happy.  It’s a second chance for us, and no matter what Benjamin says, or how bed ridden I am, I’m going to make this happen for him.  “You can move in whenever you want.”

“You mean it?”

He’s smiling, and it gets me to smile brightly back.  “Come ‘ere.”  I hold an arm out to him, and he gets up and buries his face into my neck, sobbing harshly, telling me how much he misses me.

“I love you too,” I whisper, rubbing his back as he cries.  I’m determined now.  I have to keep on living, for his sake, and I’ll push through this surgery so his life can be better.  So it can be everything Fay always wanted it to be and more.

Nothing else matters to me.  Not anymore.
Chapter 21 by ialwayzbesingin

July 24, 2016

9:30pm

Glen Cove Hospital

101 St. Andrews Lane

Glen Cove, NY 11542

We’re sitting in the waiting room.  Hours ago it was bustling, filled with nurses and doctors, patients with their walkers and canes, spouses and children.  At times it was so loud I couldn’t think straight, and it made me feel sick.  I’ve vomited several times throughout the day, but I haven’t said a word about it.  I haven’t wanted to make my feelings known to everyone, because the focus shouldn’t be on me today, only on Justin.

Now the room is void of most of those noises.  Only the casual nurse or night shift resident walks by.  The beeping and swooshing from various electronics scattered throughout the unit takes the place of the talking and the footsteps from hours ago.  

It’s been hours since they took Justin into surgery.  It’s just the two of us here now.  The rest of the friends and family associated with Justin and Hannah left over an hour ago to get some rest, after Justin’s surgeon reassured us all that the surgery had gone smoothly, that he would recover after some intensive therapy, and would be moved out of the ICU just as soon as he woke up from the anesthesia and his vitals appeared normal.  I stayed behind, mostly because I promised him I would be here when he woke up, and Hannah stayed for obvious reasons.  She hasn’t said much to me…Hannah.  She’s been focused on a book, or her phone, all day.  I came to the conclusion that she was trying to distract herself from the situation at hand, because it was the only thing that kept me from dwelling on what might actually be the problem.

That she knows.

That Justin told her, because he felt she should know, just in case.

I’ve been waiting for her to break the ice, to ask me the questions that she deserves an answer to. Once or twice I tried to muster up enough courage to talk to her, but my tongue seemed like a slab of cement in my mouth, and my blood ran cold when I tried to look at her.  I’ve been thanking the powers that be that Justin and I hadn’t allowed our emotions to get away with themselves that day at the beach house.  Although, if Justin had been in the ‘having sex’ condition before all of this I don’t know what the hell would have happened.  No matter.  The point is, it didn’t, and I’m sure it’s the only reason why I can sit here next to Hannah Monroe and not want to hang myself or something.

But if she knows about our little kiss, about his feelings for me, than why hasn’t she tried to kill me herself?

I guess…the state of her fiancé is preventing her from retaliating against me, although, I have no clue how long it will last.  She’s been on edge since we sat down this afternoon, and I know she won’t be a hundred percent until she’s able to sit face to face with Justin in his hospital room, and hold a normal conversation with him.  

I admit, I’ve been a jittery mess since he went in the operating room today, but I guess I can conceal my feelings better than most.

I promised him I would.  I promised, as he laid in that bed, looking weaker than I’d ever seen him, that I wouldn’t react, that I wouldn’t cry, and that I would hold my head up.  

“That’s you Mags.” He managed a smile.  “The strong one.”

I wanted to laugh at him.  Him pulling me out of the bathtub drunk, hadn’t been that long ago.  He’d always been the one with the advice for me, the one who had it all together, and then suddenly…he just couldn’t be that person anymore.  Losing Fay changed him for the worse, and I couldn’t even help him.  I should have been able to.  I shouldn’t have let him push me away.

I told him that, but all he did was disagree.

“I’m glad you walked away,” he nodded.  “Look at you, you found someone who’s really worth it Maggie.  You’re happy.  That’s all that I ever wanted for you, even if I couldn’t be that guy.”

I couldn’t come up with a response.  Not so close to his surgery.

I couldn’t tell him that lately, I felt like I was going through the motions with Tad, even though I had said yes when he asked me the question.  Since it was confirmed that Justin would indeed be undergoing heart transplant surgery, he was all I thought about.  I went to bed at night with Tad’s arms around me, thinking about the way I used to feel when I had been doing that very thing with Justin.

I couldn’t help but admit that I missed him…badly.

So why have I decided to go through with this wedding? I’m not totally sure.  I guess…deep down, I know Justin wouldn’t be able to make himself leave Hannah.  He’s not in love with her by any means, but I know he respects her, and cares about her like family.  If he left her it would kill her.  He’s trapped.

I guess we both are, and when he recovers from all this, which I know he will, he won’t want to do anything else but focus on his second chance at life, and make things work with Hannah.

I’ll move on.  I’ll start a family of my own, and I won’t look back.

“Maggie.”

The bile rises in my throat.  It’s the first time she’s spoken to me all day.  I’d like nothing more than to make up some shit excuse and just leave, but the best friend in me won’t allow it.  “Yeah?”  My voice cracks, a sure sign of my guilt.

“I need to talk to you.”  She turns to me, shoving her phone into her purse and placing the thing on the seat behind her.  “I’ve been debating about it all day, but now that we’re alone, I know that I have to.”

I swallow hard.  “Oh um…yes, of course.”

“Justin told me about Montauk…about when you were alone.”  Her eyes pierce into me like daggers and she doesn’t smile.  She’s cold, plotting her next words to me carefully so I’ll be as mentally vulnerable as possible.

“Hannah I…”

“I know him well, Maggie,” she cuts me off quickly.  “You may not think so. Actually, I’m sure you think you know him better than anyone else, but that’s all false…that’s you being the naive little girl that you are.  The way you see him is the way he wants you to see him, but I get the real deal, twenty four hours a day, seven days a week. I know the kind of man he is, and…I’ve always known what kind of relationship we would have from the start.  I expected him to mess around, to eventually have a mistress.  I was prepared for it, because that’s what happens when you come from a background like ours.  You’re matched with someone who will uphold the legacy for both of your families, and in the end, everyone is better off for it.  There’s love between us, maybe it’s not the sunshine and daisies type of love that most people think of, but it’s still love, and in time, it will grow into more.”

“Hannah I didn’t mean…”

“Just let me talk.”

I quickly back down.  

“That being said,” she continues.  “My friendships are never something that I have arranged for me, and I really did enjoy confiding in you, and welcoming you into my circle, Maggie.  I never lied to you once, because I respected you, and silly me, I expected that you would have the done the same for me.  Now I find out that you and Justin were together once, and I have to say, I’m very hurt that you kept all of that from me.  If I had known…I mean, I’m sure I never would have wanted you to be around him as much as you have been, especially by yourself.  Even if I let you, even if I took that risk, I would have done it because of my faith in you…that trust that you wouldn’t go behind my back and make a play for him.  You’ve destroyed all of that.  You’ve destroyed our friendship, because I know that if Justin had been able, things would have gone much farther than just a kiss.”

“Hannah…I just…I never meant for things to be like this.”  I shake my head slightly, but I can’t look at her.  I know she’s right.

“There’s no sense sitting there stuttering.  Just admit it, Maggie.”

It seems to take an eternity before I can look her in the eye.  When I do, she’s staring right back, her stone cold expression unwavering.  “You’re right.  It would have.”

“And you have feelings for him.”  It’s not a question.

“I do.”

“Are you in love with him?”

I can’t answer her, can’t look at her. The guilt is gnawing at my insides and I feel like I’m going to throw up again.

“Answer the question.”

I sigh harshly.  “Yes.”

Silence.

“But you’re going to marry Tad and move on with your life.”  She picks the conversation back up quickly, and her tone is unforgiving as she leans leans in close to me with a glare.  “Because if you don’t Maggie, I’ll make sure your life turns into a living hell, and you can count on that.  You won’t have one client on your roster by the time I’m finished throwing you and your firm under the bus.  Just stay the hell away from Justin, and I’ll find myself a new lawyer in the meantime.”

She doesn’t give me a chance to come back at her, to tell her how our relationship was in the beginning, that we were friends first, and that he’s the only person I’ve ever been able to talk to.  No she doesn’t give me a split second to say anything at all.  She grabs her purse and gets up, walks across the room and makes another spot for herself.  Going after her would be a death trap, so I just stay in my seat, not saying a word.

“You can go.” She calls to me.

“What? He’s not even awake yet.”

“I’ll tell him what he needs to know,” she nods.  “Leave, Maggie.”

I stand up, hands on my hips, ready to fight her to the death over this.  “You mean you’ll make up a lie to tell him about why I left.  You’ll make him want to hate me.”

“You’re not a part of his life anymore.”  Her eyes narrow.  “It’s easier this way.  A long drawn out goodbye won’t do him any good.  He’ll just fight harder to make you stick around.”

“You don’t get it.  It’ll mess him up even more if he thinks I just abandoned him.”

“He’ll have me.” She nods.  “I’m the woman he’s marrying, so I’ve got it covered.  Move on, Maggie.”

“But…”

“Move on.”  Her tone is a hundred times more intimidating, and I know I’m walking on thin ice.  It’s bad enough that we’ve lost her as a client.  My boss is going to go ballistic, and I hate that Hannah has so much power.  Enough power to wipe our roster clean.

At the same time though, I don’t care about my career.  Not as much as I care about him.

I’ve told him I can’t trust him, and that’s the truth.  The fact that he tossed our relationship to the side, and ruined our plans for the future, still pains me.  But being without him…that’s not an alternative.  If nothing else, I need him in my life as my friend, and now Hannah is getting in the way of that.  Of course I get it.  I’d be a liar if I said I didn’t.  I guess I thought we were closer than this, that we would be able to talk about this rationally, without threats, and compromise somehow.

But she doesn’t want anything to do with that.  She doesn’t care about how sorry I am.  She’s ready to toss our friendship to the side and never look back if that means she’ll finally have her fiancés undivided attention, something she’s probably been vying for since they day they met. I can’t say she’s a coldhearted bitch.  She’s not.  She’s just protecting what she considers hers, and I guess if our roles were reversed I might be doing the same.

But they aren’t reversed, and the man I love is in there recovering from a heart transplant, getting ready to take his second chance at a good, happy life.

I’m not leaving.  I know he couldn’t take it.

“Hannah, I’m not going anywhere.  At least not today.”  

I take a seat.

“Should I really start making phone calls?”

“If that’s more important than concentrating on what’s going on with Justin right now, then I guess he doesn’t know you at all, and hell, maybe you don’t deserve a guy like him.  Maybe you’re the one who should be moving on.  Our past aside, he’s one of my best friends, and nothing you can say is going to change that.  I’m not abandoning him so you can try and make him hate me.  He and I have been through too much over the past seven or eight years for me to turn my back on him now.  I’m staying to see him through this.  End of story.”

She says nothing for a good twenty minutes, and I busy myself by looking at the ceiling, at the floor, trying to rid my mind of our conversation.

“I won’t let you ruin this for me,” she finally says, her voice nothing more than a hoarse whisper.  “I won’t.  This is the rest of my life.  I have a plan.”

“What about the rest of his life?” I turn and face her again.  “What about his happiness?”

“It…it can’t always be about happiness.  It’s about leading a successful life.”

I snort.  “Money and power…that’s not a life, Hannah.  It’s what Justin has been trying to escape since he realized how unhappy it made him.  Marrying you is only going to turn him into a drone, and I can’t stop him…he needs to do what he wants to do, but…I know that’s the truth.”

“So you’re the solution?”

“No.” I shake my head.  “But I am his friend, and whatever feelings go beyond that…don’t really matter now anyway.  I just want to see him happy and healthy again.”

“So do I.”

“At least we can agree on something.”

We stare at each other, basically daring the other to say something, to challenge what’s been said tonight, but nothing is said.  We just…keep staring at each other, and I start to feel extremely uncomfortable.

“Maggie Dawson?”

I turn, thanking the heavens for the interruption.  A nurse stands before me, holding a clipboard, looking rushed, and exhausted.  “Yes…that’s me.”

“The anesthesia has worn off, and Justin has requested to speak with you.  The surgeon advised against visitors until morning, but he’s absolutely insisting, so we can give you fifteen minutes or so, but he really needs to get some rest so we’re asking you to keep this as brief as possible.”

“Oh…” I run a shaking hand through my hair.

God, Justin.  Right now?r32;
“You?”  Hannah comes up to us, hands on her hips, furious at me.  “Why you?”  She looks at the nurse with a demeaning expression.  “Why her?”

“It’s at the patients request,” the nurse says softly.  “I’m just the messenger.”

“Well I’m coming too,” Hannah snaps.

“I’m afraid we can’t permit that.  Visitation will resume in the morning.”

“I’m his fiancé!”

The nurse ignores Hannah’s outburst, and sighs as she glances at her wrist watch.  “Maggie if you’re going, it has to be now.  I’m sorry.”

I nod gently.  While I really don’t want to send Hannah into additional outbursts and hysterics, I’m in no position to deny Justin a post- life-altering-surgery-request.  “All right,” I croak.

“I will never forgive you Maggie!”  She yells it at me while the nurse escorts me away.  “Never! Do you hear me!”

I feel the tears crawling down my face.

“I wouldn’t worry about it,” the nurse whispers in my ear.  “You should have heard the way he was begging Doctor Harrison before.  This guy is completely in love with you.”

I swallow hard.
*********************

July 24, 2016

10:28pm

Glen Cove Hospital

Room 318

101 St. Andrews Lane

Glen Cove, NY 11542


“Fifteen minutes.”

I feel a light touch to my shoulder and my eyes slowly glide open.  Everything is numb.  Every single part of me.

But when I see her, I feel something deep inside spring back to life just a bit.

“I mean it, Justin.”

Adrian, the nurse, sends me a knowing little smile, before adjusting my pillows slightly and walking out of the room.  Mags stands nervously by the doorway, eventually getting enough stamina to close it and give us some privacy.

“Justin what are you doing? Hannah’s in hysterics.”

“I had to see you.”  It’s barely a whisper.  

She sighs harshly.  “You haven’t been out of surgery five hours yet.  I’m not that important, and she’s the one who should be in here, not me.”

“You should be.”

I don’t remember much about this afternoon.  I was groggy even before they put me under, and I passed out quickly.  I remember…I was scared, but the thoughts of the conversation I had with Maggie the day before put my mind at ease.  In fact, she was the only person I could think of before surgery, despite the fact that Hannah was in my face up until the nurses came to take me down to the OR.  I couldn’t hear a word she said to me.  I held her hand, sure, and I listened to her sobbing, did my best to reassure her that everything would be okay, but it didn’t go beyond that.  I didn’t have any revelations, or think about trying harder with her.

I just…I didn’t have a reason to.

I knew who I was in love with, and I wanted my whole life to be centered around Mags, and Tyler.  I wanted a fresh start.  I wanted the life I should have had from the beginning of all of this.  The life that Fay tried to help me achieve before she passed away.  

“Justin…”  She trails off and miserably plops down into the chair at my bedside.  I remember this too well.  Her, joining me in my office with boxes of Mr. Wong’s, carrying on about the stresses of the workday, me, making her laugh, and smile.  

I wish I could make her smile right now, but I’m just too damn weak.  My goal, is to cut this recovery process in half if I can.  Eight to twelve weeks, they’re saying.  That’s just too fucking long, and I’ve been laid up in bed long enough.

I’m just…so ready to live again.  I regret all the time I missed while I was busy fucking myself up.  Tyler is ready to give me a second chance, but…but I just don’t know if I’m going to get one with Mags.

It’s different when it comes to her, but…I have to try.  I have to.

“How do you feel?”

I manage to smile for her.  “Like a weight just dropped onto my chest.  It’s the medication.  I can’t feel a thing.”

“How are you up to talking?” She shakes her head slightly and rubs her face with her hands.

“I’ll deal with it for you.”

“God Justin…Hannah knows everything now.  Do you realize that?”

“Of course.  I’m the one who told her everything.”

“She hates me,” she continues.  “Legit, hates me.  I can’t do this anymore…I just…she was my best friend and now that’s all fucked to hell.”

“I don’t care about Hannah, or her agenda, or whatever she told you,” I whisper.  “You shouldn’t either.”

“How can you say that? I betrayed her trust.”

“You never fell out of love with me and I never fell out of love with you. It’s not your fault…it’s just the way things are.  I care about you, Mags.  I wanted to tell you that, before I talked to anybody else.  I only care about you, and I’m done with the Hannah charade.  It’s over…and I’m going to tell her that tomorrow.”

“What the fuck? Did you have an epiphany while you were under the knife?”

I wince when I laugh a little too hard.  “Something like that.”

“I don’t think you’re rationalizing any of this properly right now, Justin.  How could you? You just woke up from surgery and…”

“I know what I want, Mags.”

She stares back into my eyes and bites her bottom lip.  She knows me well, better than anyone, and can tell when I’m lying to her.

She knows I’m completely serious right now.

“I can’t.”  She shakes her head.  “Justin, I can’t.”  She gets up to leave.

“I love you.  I’m not going just…stop, because you say that you can’t do this.  I said it before, and I’m saying it now…I’m going to fight for you.  I’m going to wait for you Mags.”

“Maggie.”  The door opens and Adrian peeks her head the room.  “I’m sorry but we’ve got to call it a night.”

“O-okay…”  She looks between Adrian and I, like she has no clue what she’s supposed to do.

“Just come back tomorrow,” I tell her.  “Come back in the morning.”

“I can’t come back in the morning…please, can you just give us one more minute?” She says it to Adrian.

Adrian sighs heavily.  “One minute.”

The door closes.

“Justin I can’t.  I love you, but I just…I can’t.  I’ve made promises to Tad, things are set in place, and I can’t just toss that all away.  We have to move on, don’t you understand that?”

“If I marry her I’ll be making a huge mistake.”

“I can’t be with you.”  She won’t look me in the eye.  “And you shouldn’t be alone.”

“If it’s the only option, maybe I should.  It might be good…you know, Tyler is moving home and everything.  It’ll give us a chance to reconnect and I can just start my life from scratch again.”

“Tyler is moving home?”

“Yeah.” I think I smile, but I can’t be sure.  “I thought I told you?”

“No…but, that’s really great.”

“I’m going to make everything up to him.  Everything that happened after Fay died.  I want to be his whole family if I have to be.”

“Then you should focus on that, not on me.  He deserves every part of you.”

“So do you.”

“It’s just too late, Justin,” she says, sadly.  “It’s too late for us.  I’m sorry, but…you know I’m right.”

We stare at each other. I can’t beg her to stay, and I know that.  She’s going to go off and marry Tad and I’m going to break things off with Hannah and just live my life.

That’s the way it has to be, as heartbreaking as it is, but I’ll push through it.  I have a lot of reasons, important ones, that I should have recognized long ago.  This is my second chance.

I can’t fuck up this time.

“Then I guess that’s it,” I tell her.  “I’ll stop giving you a hard time and just…move on from here.”

She nods slightly.  “I better go.”

“Yeah.”  I try hard to ignoring the sinking feeling in my gut as she goes to the door.  I know this is the last time.  After this we won’t see each other nearly as often.  We’ll both get wrapped up in our own lives, and perhaps, we’ll never see each other at all after today.

She’ll just be gone, and while I hate that, I know that there’s no way around it.

“Bye Mags.”

She doesn’t look back.  I don’t think she has it in her.

Chapter 22 by ialwayzbesingin
December 2, 2016

4:00 pm

Harrison, Fink, & Timberlake, Attorneys at Law

598 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY


“He finally let you out of his site?”

“Don’t get me started.”  I tap the point of my pen on the desk before turning back to the computer screen.  “He acts like I’m going to shatter if the wind blows too hard or something.”

“Hey, you’re lucky he cares so much.  It’s like pulling teeth to get him to pay an inkling of attention to me, or my caseload.”

“I pay attention to it,” I half mumble, before glancing at him.  “And you’re doing a great job.  Don’t worry about them.  They’re halfway out of this as it is, getting ready to retire and give their fuckin’ kids their shares of the business.  As soon as Neil passes the bar, he’ll be taking Barry’s place, the same goes for Joey Harrison.  I’ll be the most experienced one, and you’ll be partner in a year or so.  I promise.”

I smile for him, because he deserves one from me.  Thank God for Peter, because without him, I doubt I would have survived my first week back here.  He’s great, a younger version of myself, and has as much, if not more law talent than I did at his age.  He was hired right after Maggie resigned, and has worked night and day to make his place here known.  He’s workhorse, just like Maggie was, only he gets a lot more respect from the other partners.  In a way, he’s taken her place.  We have lunch in my office or down the block most days, and split a four pack of Rangers season tickets Barry gave me.  I guess he might as well be my best friend, because aside from him, I don’t associate with anyone else outside of work besides Tyler.

It’s still not the same though.

There’s no one like Mags.

To be honest, I don’t think about her as often as I thought I would.  I guess because the effort it took me to rehabilitate myself from surgery took almost all my energy, and time.  Whatever was left went to rebuilding my relationship with my nephew, because without that, I knew I wouldn’t have a chance of gaining his respect back.

It’s been great, having him at the house.  I didn’t get the pushback from Benjamin that I expected when I told him what my plans were.  He’s seemed to soften slightly after my surgery, and told me if having Tyler at the house was best for the two of us, then he would make sure to get him there.  Yes, I was shocked, but I can tell how thankful he is that he didn’t have to lose both of his children.  We haven’t become close by any means, but we understand each other better than we ever have before, and I guess….that’s a good thing.

When I was first allowed to go back home, Tyler helped as much as he could around the house, and made sure to take me on as many walks as he could while I regained the rest of my strength.  I rehired Matilda to handle the tasks that he couldn’t and it’s been a really long road.  It took five and a half solid months of hardcore rehabilitation before the doctor begrudgingly allowed me to start working a few days a week at the firm.  It’s been almost a month now, and I’m finally starting to feel like myself again.  My breathing can be a little funny at times, I still use an inhaler and need a cane to help me walk, but I’m getting there.  I really am.  My doctors are hopeful that by the spring I’ll be able to ditch the cane and the inhaler.

I’m proud of myself.

“Anyway I just came to tell you, Barry told me that he wants you to help me with that Pepsi Cola contract case.”  He flops the paperwork down on my desk.  “That actor wouldn’t budge with a settlement so it’s going in front of a judge.  The problem is that his lawyer is really good, and Barry thinks I might need your insight.”

“Yeah, he told me in the meeting this morning.”  I drag the paperwork forward and skim the front page of the deposition.  The header makes my eyes go wide, and I start to cough, quickly reaching for my inhaler to ease the tension in my chest.

“J, are you all right man?”

“Fine…” I pump the inhaler and regulate my breathing again, before looking back at the page.

Bryson Gill (Wallace, Akerman, and Dawson) v Pepsi-Cola Inc (Harrison, Fink, and Timberlake)

“Shit.”

She made partner.  I feel the smile crack at the corner of my mouth.  I want to be proud.  I want to call her and congratulate her because thats the kind of friends we always were.  Then I remember that she didn’t call to tell me, and I have to remember that we don’t speak, that we haven’t seen each other, and that we’ve both moved on.

“Why don’t I believe you?”

I stare up at Peter, and shake my head.  “I just…it’s nothing.  Don’t worry, we’ll work through it together and get the job done, like always.  I’ll come to court with you.”  

“Thanks, I um…”

“Peter, it’s Friday, why don’t you take off? I’ll see you at the game tomorrow night right? I’ll bring Tyler.”

“Oh yeah, sure.”

He gazes at me with more uncertainty, but when I don’t say anything else, he leaves my office, quietly closing the door behind him.

What are the odds of this?  Well…I mean, it was probably inevitable.  Her firm is the biggest entertainment firm in the city, and we’re the biggest litigation firm.  It’ll be interesting I guess…seeing her work for the other side.  I hope I can keep my composure and not hand the whole damn case over to her.  No, I won’t.  I have to be the lawyer I’m supposed to be, because this is a big case.  If it wasn’t, Barry never would have asked for my assistance, because Peter is a strong lawyer and very reliable.

That means I have to give a hundred percent, every minute I’m in the courtroom with her.  I have to play hardball, like I’m notorious for.  It’s what our clients pay for.  When it comes to Maggie though, I’m a mess.  I’ve always been.  She’s always had me wrapped around her finger,  that hasn’t changed despite the fact that we haven’t spoken, and she’ll realize that quickly the minute we’re in that courtroom together.

I have no idea what to expect, but I’m not even worried about the case.  I realize now more than even that I really want to see her.

“Sir.”  Shelby’s voice comes over my speaker phone.

“Yes, Shelby?”

“Hannah is on line one.”
I sigh heavily.  “Put her through.”

“Hey you.”  

Her voice comes on the line immediately, and I quickly pick up. “Hey.”

“Are we still having dinner?”

It’s been a month since I said we were through.  I wanted to tell her right after the surgery, but I just…I couldn’t.  I was a mess after Maggie walked away and I was too weak to deal with anything  else.  I continued my charade with her for weeks after that, until I couldn’t take it anymore.  I told her I wasn’t ready to commit to her and I didn’t want to be with her anymore.

She didn’t believe me.

She still doesn’t.   

She’s relentless, calls me every day, and yeah, we have dinner a couple of times a week.  I say that it’s just as friends, but she doesn’t see things my way.  Not at all.  She's  still convinced that we’re going to get married, that I’m just confused and need some space for awhile.  Benjamin has kept a careful distance from the situation, only casually reminding me once in a while that I’m not getting any younger and he’d like to have some more grandchildren before he dies.  

“I guess so.”

“Great.” I can hear her grinning.  “Thai on forty ninth?”

“Burgers on fifty second, and I’m not compromising tonight.”

She huffs loudly.  “Fine, whatever.  I’ll see you in twenty?”

“Forty five.”

“Okay, text me when you’re close.”

I hang up without a response.  In a way, the separation has been good for us.  She realizes that I need to do my own thing, and indulge every once in awhile even if it’s against my doctors orders.  It’s keeping me sane, and it’s also the only way I can tolerate her for more than an hour at a time.  We don’t talk about Maggie, or Tad.  He doesn’t do the show with her anymore.  She’s been given the gig solo and is doing very well with it.  Tad is making his rounds on a different network, and I guess there’s rumors of relocation to give him his own show, but I don’t get into specifics with Hannah about it.  The only question I really have is about Maggie’s situation when it comes to him, if she’s still going to get married, and if so, does that mean she’s going to be moving to Los Angeles?

I’d really like to know, but it’s not like I’m about to call her, or ask my ex fiancé about it either.

I’m just stuck.  I’m always stuck when it comes to Mags, it seems.  I don’t date random, mindless women like I used to though.  There’s only Hannah a couple of times a week, and I guess that’s only because I like the attention and that I control her now instead of her controlling me.  She’s so desperate to get me back that she’ll go wherever I want, watch whatever I want, and back off whenever I want her to.  It’s been great, but I know it’s not healthy for me.  I have to just…move on, but I’m afraid to be alone.  I know I’ll have Tyler, but…but it’s not the same as being in a relationship.  I’m a wimp.  I need that I guess.  

Or maybe I just miss Maggie so fucking much, that I’ll take any type of relationship in my life to try and make up for it.

The only problem is, nothing I do seems to work.  There’s still this gaping void inside of me, and I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to change that.  Seeing her in that courtroom may fill it, but just for a short time.  Then she’ll be gone again, and I’ll be back to square one.

I wish Fay were here.  I wish she were here every single day.  She’s the only one that would be able to give me the advice I need.  

I miss her more than ever.

I take another half hour to get my paperwork sorted out for Monday morning before I finally get my coat and start to head out of the office.  The phone on my desk starts to ring as my hand touches the door, and I decide to let my voicemail pick it up.

You’ve reached the desk of Justin Timberlake. I’m currently out of the office but please leave a detailed message and the time of your call so I can get back to you.  Have a good day.

Beep…


“Hey Justin.  I heard you were back at the office and figured you might still be there now, but I guess you have a life.  Go figure.”

My heart skips a beat.

Mags.

“So listen, I got the deposition today.  I wanted to touch base with you before we get into formalities, because this is a big case, and we have a history…”

I race to my desk and snatch the phone up.  “Maggie?”

“Oh…”  She sounds shocked that I answered.  “Justin? I…um…”

“I’m here.” I try to hide the breathlessness in my voice.  “I saw the deposition a little while ago.”

“Crazy right?”

She doesn’t sound uncomfortable.  Actually, there’s a slight tone of laughter in her voice.  It helps me to calm down, to ease into our conversation, and remember that this is Maggie and she’ll always be a friend to me no matter what.  “I guess it was inevitable given how many deals go sour in the entertainment industry these days.”

“Yeah, I guess so.  How um…how have you been?” she asks.

I sit back down at my desk and run a hand through my hair, contemplating what to say, trying to figure out my emotions, and keep them at bay if they start to get out of hand.  “Better…you know, it’s been a lot of work to get back to all of this.  I’m still going to therapy twice a week, but it’s not as intense as it’s been the past five or six months.  My doctors say I should be back to normal by next spring.”

“Wow thats…that’s really great, you know?”

“Yeah.”

Silence blankets our conversation.  I try to come up with something good to say, but all I can really think about is how beautiful she probably looks today, and how great it is to hear her voice after all these months.  It takes everything in me to hold back an ‘I miss you’

I really do miss her.

“So uh, what about you?” I force it out.  “When’s the wedding?”

“End of the month, God willing.”

My heart sinks, and despair fills the gaping void inside of me.  

She’s still getting married.

“This case has taken over a lot of my free time, but I told my boss, you know, Tad and I have been planning the crap out of his, and  now with his new contract and everything, we really have to get the wedding out of the way so we can get on with everything.”

“New contract?”

“Yeah….he just signed a deal with CBS for a new daytime talk show.  It’s being filmed in LA but I mean, I think the change will be good.”

I swallow hard.  It’s really happening.  “So you’re moving?”

“Yeah.”

“What about the partnership?”

“Well the crazy thing is, they’ve been meaning to start up a second chapter of the firm in LA.  They want me to head it up, so it’ll be another step up in my career.  So I get a wedding and a promotion all in one.  Pretty sweet deal, right?”

I guess it is, but she doesn’t sound as excited as she should.  “That’s really great, Mags.  I had no idea. Hannah hasn’t mentioned a thing.”r32;
“Oh… you and Hannah are still…”

“No.  No we’re just friends,” I chuckle, nervously.  “I told you I was ending it with her.”

“So you’re back to playing the field?”

“Not really.  I spend most of my time with Tyler, and I take Hannah to dinner a couple of times a week.  We’re friends, and it’s weird, but whatever.  My life has been too much of a clusterfuck to dwell on how superficial she is.”

“Your dating habits are the most fucked up thing I’ve ever heard about.”

I laugh at her.  “I know they are.”

“So will I see you at the courthouse on Monday or is one of the executive lawyers handling this one?”

“I’m sort of co handling the case with one of them.  I’ll be at the courthouse, probably without him so he can do some other research.  It’s better I argue the terms of this since I have more experience.”

“You probably shouldn’t be telling me your strategies,” she laughs.

“Probably not, but you’re not just anyone.”

“Justin…”

“So are we stuck in a conflict of interest here?” I say it quickly.

She sighs a little.  “Normally I’d say yes but we’ve always been friends Justin, and we’re adults, I’m pretty sure.  I’m not going to pass this case on to one of the other partners.  Bryson is a temperamental piece of shit, and I’m the only one he’ll listen to since the Pepsi contract started to be a problem.  We have a chance at beating this thing if I’m in charge, especially if it’s against you.  No offense.”

“None taken.  So you’re not going to scratch my eyes out in court?”

“You should know by now that I burn people from the inside out, not the other way around,” she laughs.  It’s the one i’ve missed.  The one from countless happy hours and lunches holed up in one of our offices.  The one that made me fall in love with her the very first day she walked into Harrison and Fink.

Something inside starts to ache.

“So it’ll be more like a challenge,” I counter.  “Like a game?”

“Yeah.  Like the final puzzle in Wheel of Fortune.”

“With or without Vana?”

She contemplates this for several moments.  “Without Vana but with the really annoying beeping music that makes you lose your concentration.”

“So we won’t be able to concentrate?”

“Oh I’ll be able to concentrate, but I’m willing to bet you won’t be able to take your eyes off of me.”

I snort out a laugh.  “Oh? Cocky are we?”

“I know my client better than Pepsi does.”  Her tone grows slightly more serious. “And that means I know him better than you do.  Your client is in the wrong, Mr. Timberlake.”

“We’ll see,” I smirk.  “Game on.  But I’m warning you, this is one of the biggest cases on our books.  I’m not going to go down without a really big fight.  Whoever loses, is going down in flames.”

“You’re forgetting something.”

“Oh yeah?  What’s that?”

“I know your game better than you know mine.  I’ll see you Monday, Justin.”

I’m slightly dumbfounded but it doesn’t keep the smile from spreading across my face.  “See you Monday.”  

She hangs up.

I’m screwed.  I’ve lost this case before it’s really started.  How do I know that?  Because I taught Maggie everything she knows about working a courtroom. Her strategies are my strategies, and I’m sure she has a few tricks up her sleeve that I can only begin to guess at.  It’s time for her to shine, and after her last big loss I know she’ll do whatever can to win and throw it in Harrison and Fink’s faces.  

I should be angry about this.  I should call Hannah and cancel dinner so I can pull an all nighter, plotting Maggie Dawson’s ultimate demise.  

I won’t do any of it, though.  I just don’t care if I lose this case, or any other case for that matter.  I’d rather see her succeed, and be happy.

Because if she’s happy, I guess I can be happy too, even if she’ll never love me the way I love her.
Chapter 23 by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
There's nothing I can say...Hollie, if you have a gun, feel free...

December 5, 2016

11:45 am

Mexicue Food Truck

60 Centre St, New York, NY


“When are you due in?”

Tad hands me my tacos and my drink and I take it from him as we sit down on the bench several feet from the food truck.  “The judge is meeting with us at twelve thirty.”

“Great.”  He leans in and kisses my lips before I have a chance to start consuming my early lunch.  “Then we have an actual lunch break together today.”

His smile shows off the dimples that make him hard to resist and I unleash a smile for my fiancé.  “Do you have more negotiations today?”

“A couple of meetings, nothing too crazy.  I’ll probably be home before you so I’ll pick up some dinner.”  He smiles and takes a big bite of his taco.

I just stare down at my food.  Suddenly, I’ve lost my appetite.  Nerves, yes.  Nerves, because I’m about to be in a room with a man that I don’t know how to feel about, and it’s been six months since we’ve spoken face to face.   

Being with Tad should be bliss.  I should continue our conversation with wedding plans, pull out the two invitations that my sister and I picked out over the weekend to see what he thinks.  I should be excited about them, about all of our plans..

I should be excited that I’m getting married, and running off to LA to live with my husband in our brand new network comped home in the hills of Hollywood.  A fresh start, that’s what I wanted when I walked out of Justin’s hospital room that day.  I begged to be able to forget about him, and my feelings for him.  For awhile I guess I did.  I forced myself to delve deeper into this thing with Tad, and start to seriously plan our wedding.  The guests are RSVP’d, the bridesmaids dresses and my own wedding dress are ready to go.  All other plans are set into place to make this wedding go off without a hitch.

But somehow, I’m still uncomfortable about this.

I can’t put my finger on it.

I do know though, that when I talked to Justin on the phone the other night, it was the first  conversation I’d held in a long time that made me come alive inside.

It’s not sad, it’s fucking scary.

What’s even scarier is, I’m going to have to face him in court in just under an hour.

I couldn't bring myself to tell Tad about it.  I knew he would tell me to pass it off, because things were funny between us for awhile when Justin and I were seeing a lot of each other.  Am I betraying Tad in a way?  I guess so.

Do I care?

No, and that makes me a horrible person.

Lately I haven’t been able to sleep.  When I lie in that bed with a shirtless Tad next to me, his arms secured around my waist as he sleeps, I feel terrible.  A little voice whispers to me that I don’t love him.  That I have no business marrying him.  That I love Justin.

When I heard his voice on the other end of that phone Friday night, I nearly lost it.  We started our usual flirting banter so fast that I didn’t know what was happening until it was too late. It all came flooding back to me, the way we were, how much I loved him once upon a time.  How walking away from him after his surgery nearly destroyed me.

He sounded so strong.

He sounded like my best friend.

Something inside began to ache, so I ended the call.

He’s all I’ve thought about ever since.  It’s a horrible reality.  I hate that I can’t shake him, that I might still love him.  I wish there was a cure, but there isn’t.  I’m clinging to the hope that our move will force me to forget, or that I’ll get pregnant after we’re married and won’t have a choice but to forget.

Is that the right thing? I know it’s not, but at the same time, what other choice is there? It’s not like Justin is completely single.  He’s still doing dinners with Hannah, which is basically like dating, since the way he dates women is so fucked up.  He didn't exactly beg me to come back to him like he used to

It’s gotten me thinking…maybe he’s over me.  He gave up because I gave up.

But that’s what I wanted, right?  I couldn’t trust him, I was afraid to try, and it serves me right.

“Maggie?”

“Huh?”  I snap out of my daze and look my fiancé in the eye.  

“What’s wrong? Big case?” He smirks and flashes his dimples at me.  “You look terrified.”

“No…it’s nothing.”  I force a smile.  “I guess I just have a lot to think about.”

“Mm. Like the wedding.”  He leans in and kisses me slowly on the lips, deepening our kiss just slightly before he pulls away again.  “Not too much longer now, huh babe?”

“Yeah.”  I take a huge bite into my taco so I won’t have to look at him anymore. Then, out of the corner of my eye, I see him.  He’s getting out of a cab, looking as debonair as ever with his expensive suit and briefcase.  Intimidation is what Justin does best, I’m just glad that I can afford to dress equally as well as him now.  My heart starts to race as he comes closer, and I feel queasy.  “Do you want to go for a walk?”  I turn completely away, hoping Justin won’t notice us.  

“A walk? We just sat down,” Tad chuckles.  

“Well I…”

“Hey, Mags! You’re early.”

Fuck.

He’s standing right in front of me, big smile, bright eyes.  His frame is no longer frail, that muscular build he’d always been famous for is about halfway back.  He hasn’t looked this healthy…this good in a very long time, and I know he’s probably put in his fair share of hours to achieve it all.  “Hi Justin.”

“Justin.”  Tad gets up immediately and goes to shake his hand.  “Long time.  How’s the heart?”

“It has been a long time, and…it’s been an adjustment, but I’m doing well.”  He looks Tad in the eyes as they shake hands, but eventually his gaze lands back on me.  “You ready?”

“Ready?” Tad says, his concerned gaze landing on me immediately.

“We’re on the same case…opposite sides,” I nod at him.  “Small world I guess.”

I’m chuckling nervously and Justin is matching it.  Tad however, is completely silent, because I’ve kept this from him.  

“You couldn’t tell me?”  Tad half whispers it.  

I shrug.  “It’s just work baby…” I steal a glance at Justin.  “I’ll see you inside.  Good luck.”

He smirks slightly.  “See you inside.”

Then he’s gone.

“You tell me about all your cases,” Tad continues as soon as Justin disappears through the courthouse door.  “What? Did you just happen to forget about this particular instance?”

“No I…”

“You just didn’t want me to know.”

“Fine.”  There’s no use lying to Tad.  I’d be wasting my time.  “I didn’t want you to know.”

He lets out a disgusted laugh.  “There’s gotta be a reason.”

“Because I knew you’d react like this.”

“How am I supposed to react? Like everything is fine? He’s got at thing for you.  He always has.  And you’ve had a thing for him too.  He nearly destroyed us…”

“But he didn’t.”  I snap at him and send him a cold glare.  “It’s just one case, Tad.  I’m marrying you, aren’t I?”

“Don’t sound so thrilled.”  He gets up and tosses his half eaten lunch in the trash.  “If you really didn’t want this to interfere with our relationship, you would have passed this off to one of the other partners as soon as you found out he was the one you were up against.”

“If I did that we would have lost the case, and the client.”

“Is one client worth your marriage, Maggie?”

I shake my head.  “You’re overreacting.”

“No.  I know what to expect, that’s all.  I wish you could see the way you were looking at him just now, because you never look at me like that.”

“I didn’t look at him any way, Tad.”

“Just…go to work, all right?”  He runs his hands through his hair.  “I guess I’ll see you tonight.”

“Tad…”

“Just go to work, Maggie.”

He walks off.

Wonderful.

How the fuck was I looking at him? Was I gawking at Justin? Was I captivated?  Tad is paranoid when it comes to us, but he’s not stupid.  I’m sure he was right.

So where does that leave me? Hell, where does it leave us? Am I really ready to get married to this guy? Hightail it clear across the country?

Seeing Justin right now forces me to accept the fact that I’m not really sure.

And now I have to go head to head with him in a courtroom.

Damn it.
************
December 5, 2016

1:45pm

New York Supreme Civil Court

60 Centre St, New York, NY


In all the years I worked with Mags at the firm, I never saw her as put together as she is today.  She’s calm cool and collected.  Confident.  Organized.  Like a solider ready for battle.  I’m really proud of her.

I want to tell her, and then take her out for drinks after this is over.

But I doubt it’s my place, considering that I have a job to do.  Biggest case on the books, that’s what Barry says.  It’s always the biggest case, and it’s always me who gets sent in to handle it.  Partner or not, they just can’t trust anyone to handle cases of this magnitude, and it’s not like they’re going to do it.  Although, I do owe Barry a lot, so I don’t complain.

“Pepsi-Cola is clearly in breach of contract, your honor.”  Maggie hands the judge a highlighted document.  “My client was signed for eight commercials, no matter what condition he may have been in on or off the set.”r32;


“Your client was drunk on set on more than one occasion,” I interject, and shoot the judge a little smirk.  “He couldn’t even walk out of his trailer on a few specific dates.”  I put my own highlighted documents complete with photographs on the judges desk.  “The pictures show Mr. Gill at a very high level of intoxication on the day of an important commercial shoot.  Why should my client be forced to pay him for work that wasn’t completed per the contract that he signed?”

“Because it’s not written anywhere in the contract, protecting your client from paying out my client in a case such as this.”  Maggie directs her gaze intently at the judge.  “I’m not saying my client is a saint by any means, your honor.  But a contract is a legally binding document.  They must pay him what is due, and we fully intend to seek damages for pain and suffering.”

“Pain and suffering,” I scoff.  “If your client wasn’t wasted all day we wouldn’t be here.”

“Please keep the bickering to a minimum,” Judge Vale sighs, and looks back down at the documents.

“This is grounds for dismissal your honor,” I say.  “Mr. Gill was completely out of line, and the credibility of the contract went along with his issues.”

“While you have a point, Mr. Timberlake, the fact of the matter is, your client did not put a clause in this particular contract, recusing themselves for any substance abuse brought to the set by Mr. Gill.  For that reason alone, I cannot throw the case out.  Miss Dawson, you need to consult with your client, and decide whether it is in his best interest to have the outcome of this decided by a judge or jury.  In the meantime, Mr. Timberlake, I strongly suggest you consult with your client regarding a settlement to prevent a lengthy civil case.  You both have one week, and we will meet back in my chambers to discuss this more.”

He leaves us.  Mags and I exchange glances, and I let out the breath I had been holding since this whole thing started.  

“You held up pretty well.”  She smiles slyly and grabs her briefcase before rising out of the chair.  

“You still have me beat.” I whisper.  “You got the case to the next level.”

“You didn’t push as hard as I thought you would have to destroy me.”

I just shrug.  “Bryson is an idiot, but Pepsi is worse.  They try to get out of every obligation that they conjure up.”

“Don’t let Barry or Lawrence find out how you feel.”  She walks to the door and shoots me one last smile.  “See you in a week?”

I nod slightly.  “What um…what are you doing now?”

She opens the door, but can’t seem to make herself step outside of the judge’s chambers.  “Catching the subway.”

“Me too.  Want to ride together?”

She licks her lips nervously, stares at the floor, but eventually her gaze finds it’s way to mine again.  “I um…well, we can walk down to the train. You’re going to Penn aren’t you?”

“I was thinking about grabbing a bite or something.” I glance at my watch.  “It’s almost happy hour.”

“I doubt your surgeon would approve,” she rasps.

“Wings, Mags,” I smirk.  “Wings and coke.”

“Oh…um…” She runs a hand through her hair.  “Well I mean, Tad is probably waiting for me.”

“All right, cool.”  I can’t be upset.  It was a long shot.  “I’ll walk you to the subway at least.”

She nods slightly, but doesn’t say another word as she steps out into the hall and holds the door for me.  I shoot her a quick, nervous smile as I lead the way out of the building and into the hustle of Manhattan.

“So, you look…great, Justin.”  She finally says it after we’ve traveled a couple of blocks.  “You must be working really hard.”

“Yeah, I have been.  But you know, having Tyler around helps to keep me focused.  Most of the effort I put in was because of him.”

“Most?”

“Well…yeah.”   

We reach the subway stairs and she stares at me for a few moments.  “I didn’t want to walk away…that day, but I knew there wasn’t anything else I could do.  You know that, right?”

“I do, and…I’m glad you did it.  You needed that, and I needed to rebuild myself on my own.  If anything, I just want to be friends with you.  When you move, I was hoping we could email or something.  Who knows, I might have to travel there for work eventually.”

“Tad would love that, I’m sure,” she sighs, but smiles.

“I”m really proud of you, Mags.”  I say it quickly, wanting to get it out while I have the balls.  “Making partner…getting married, you have it all together.  It’s all I had ever wanted for you, even if I couldn’t be a part of the picture.  I just want you to know that, before this trial bullshit starts.”

She stares back at me, like she can’t believe what she’s hearing.  Yeah, maybe I have changed, or transformed back into that guy I used to be…somewhat anyway.  Being around her, I realize, makes me want to be that guy more than anything in the world.

But I’ve lost her.

“Oh what the hell,” she huffs.  “One happy hour, to celebrate?”

“Are you sure?” I laugh slightly.  “What about Tad?”

“He’s not my biggest fan at the moment, and I’d rather not go home just to have another argument with him.  I’ll see him later tonight.”

I immediately pull my phone out.  There’s two texts from Hannah asking me about dinner, and a voicemail from Barry, no doubt inquiring about how the case went and if I got it thrown out like he expected me to.  I turn my phone off.  “Sounds like a plan.”

I hail a cab for us, unsure of what the night will bring, but knowing that no matter what happens, she’ll be right by my side.

Chapter 24 by ialwayzbesingin
December 5, 2016

Parker & Quinn Bar and Grill

3:45 pm

64 W 39th St

New York, NY 10018


Four cocktails in and I’m a tipsy mess.  Not quite drunk-in-the-bathtub tipsy, but I’m getting there.  Naturally, because Justin isn’t going to risk his health for a few drinks, he’s settled back in the booth, watching me with an amused, sexy as fuck smile on his face as I take the shot  of tequila our waitress brought over to us, delighted from our long awaited return to happy hour.

“Lime?”  He picks it up and holds it up to my lips.

I bite and suck.  Heaven.  “Thanks.”  I giggle stupidly.

God, what am I doing?

“Anything else right now guys?”  

Justin looks at the waitress and smiles appreciatively. “We’ll take another plate of wings and…I’ll have one of those shots too.”

“Justin,” I gasp.  “You can’t…”

“One shot won’t kill me.”  Without hesitating, he pecks me a kiss on the forehead.   “When’s the next time we’ll get to do this?”

“I dunno.”  I smile at him and can feel the room tilting.  “Never?”

“Right.”  He nods, but has a sad expression on his face.  “You know how much I miss you right?”

He’s only saying it because the alcohol has seriously impaired my judgment.  “It can’t be as much as I miss you.”

He stares at me as the shot arrives, complete with lime and salt.

“Drink up!” The waitress cackles and dashes away.

“Shit Mags.”  He shakes his head roughly and guzzles the shot in one swallow.  “What the fuck are we doing?”

I hold the lime up for him and he bites and sucks the juice out.  “I have no idea.”

He takes the lime out of my hand and puts it down on the little white plate, immediately cupping my face in his palm and pushing the strands of hair back behind my ear.  “All I want to do right now is kiss you, and I know how wrong that is, but I heard your voice on the other end of the phone the other night and it just…it reminded me what the best thing in my life was at one time.  I just…I wont’ beg you Mags.  I won’t beg you to back out of this thing with Tad, or cancel your wedding, but…I want you to.  I want you to do all of that, and I….shit.”  He sighs heavily.

“What?”

He looks back up at me.  My mind is swimming.  I feel like I’m floating on a cloud.  The room is still tilting and my thoughts are all jumbled and fuzzy.  

“I need you, Mags.”

My cheeks burn, and I laugh like some little teenager in puppy love.  “Okay.” I whisper it, and my smile is goofy and careless.

His lips grab mine.  It’s quick, but deep, and passionate, like I always remembered him.

The wings arrive.

“You wanna get it to go?”  He breathes the words into my neck, and kisses my skin.

“All the way to the Island?”

“I’ll get a room.”r32;
“Justin…”

He pulls back, takes my hands, and gives me a look of desperation.  “I just…I need one night with you, Maggie.  I don’t care how fucked up it is, and I know the reasons why you’re marrying Tad.  They’re the same reasons I still take Hannah out for dinner.  None of it really means anything, but neither one of us wants to be alone.”

As drunk as I am, he’s making complete sense right now.  I hate myself.  I’m stringing Tad along and he really does love me.  I shouldn’t be doing it.  I shouldn’t be using him as an escape.  “I don’t want to marry him,” I whisper.  “But sleeping with you isn’t going to solve either of our problems.”

“I know, and it’s selfish, and I’ll regret it later, but I don’t care right now.  I just…want to be with you.”

I sigh slightly, but don’t give him a reason to drop the subject when I grab his lips with mine.  The kiss is a little sloppy, but he doesn’t seem to mind.  He grabs my face and pulls me closer to him as our tongues dance in beautiful harmony, and before long, I know it’s time to get out of this place.

“Come on.”  I come up for air.  “Let’s go before they kick us out.”

Justin smiles, calls for the wings to be wrapped, and leads me out of the restaurant by the hand.  The trip from midtown to the W Hotel suite is a blur.  We make out in the cab, in the elevator, and against the wall outside the door to our room while Justin fiddles with the key in the lock.  I pull him inside as soon as the door opens, and tear the clothing off of his body.  We make out silently, hungrily, as he guides me into the bathroom and turns the shower on.

We make love against the wall as the water cascades around us.  The steam helps me to sober up, but it doesn’t matter…I know what’s happening, and I never want it to stop.  I slide down to the floor of the shower after…utterly exhausted, and before long Justin lifts me into his arms and carries me to the bed, cascading kisses up and down my body as he gets me comfortable against the pillows.

“I love you.”  He breathes the words into my wet hair, pressing his lips to the top of my head before he moves to look me in the eyes again.  “There’s no one else Maggie.  Not for me.  I was a fucking idiot, and I’ve paid for it, but I want a chance.  I want the chance I missed out on.”

He searches my eyes, begging for the response he’s seeking.

“You said you wouldn’t beg,” I whisper, but smile gently.

“That was before we had sex.”  He chuckles, not taking his gaze off of me for a moment.  “Now I’m too obsessed with you to stop myself.”

“Sounds like a personal problem.”

He grins.  “It is, but it’s the best kind of problem.”

I reach out and stroke his face with my hand.  His eyes close at my touch, and he doesn’t seem to want anything else in his life other than me.  There’s so many reasons for me to stick this out, give him another chance, and turn my back on Tad.  I know he’s in a good place now, ready for me, committed to us.

So why can’t I say yes?

“If you back out of this I won’t hold it against you,” he tells me gently, while settling in the empty spot beside me as he wraps me up in his arms.  “You have every reason to.”

“I don’t want to…” I trail off and turn slightly so I can look him in the eyes.  “It’s just a lot.”

He nods a little and nuzzles his nose into the crook of my neck.  “So take some time.”

I don’t say anything, and before long I hear his breath grow rhythmic and deep.  He’s fallen asleep.  I take a moment, and then turn myself around in his arms so I can look at him.  He allows the movement, but his eyes never open as he draws me back into his chest again.  I close my eyes, breathe in his scent.

I miss him.

But I’m terrified of allowing myself get lost in him again.
Chapter 25 by ialwayzbesingin
December 23, 2016

Hannah Monroe’s Brownstone

531 11th Street  

Brooklyn, NY 11215


Adjusting is hard.  Restarting is even harder.

And I’ve done it one too many times.

Should I have expected her to be gone in the morning? The better part of me says yes, but I guess…there was that little part that was leftover from our relationship that told me she was willing to try.  That she was going to love me again.

But I was wrong.

“Justin, come and wait with me.”

Somewhere in the back of my mind I think I hear Hannah, but I don’t acknowledge her.  I can’t.  I just need a few minutes to catch my breath.

“Justin.”

It was enough to give me a heart attack all over again, knowing she was gone.  I had an inkling of hope that I would see her in court the following week, but when someone else was waiting in her place, I knew she had made up her mind.  She wasn’t ready for me.  She would never be, and that meant it was officially time to put her behind me for good.  It wasn’t worth putting my health at risk anymore.  I had Tyler and the rest of my life to worry about.  

I promised myself I would make the best of it.

I guess that’s what I’m doing.

“You’ve been late before.”

“Never this late,” she scoffs.

I turn.  She’s sitting on the toilet, panties down around her ankles, ripping open the box that contains the test.  Last night at dinner was so casual.  I was actually able to relax, and fucking smile, despite the fact that I was with Hannah.

Then she laid it on me.

“I’m late.”

“For what?”

“God.” She rolled her eyes harshly at me.  “Late, Justin.  You know what I mean.”

I sat back and a nervous laugh escaped me.  “You can’t be.  I mean…we haven’t even had sex in…”

“A month.  Thanksgiving weekend?”

I remembered then.  We’d been alone, she’d been clingy and I’d been well…horny.  It just happened.  I hadn’t used a condom because I was naive enough to think she’d been using the pill.

Now I’m trapped.

A baby with Hannah.  I’m going to have to marry her now.  Our families won’t accept anything less.

“I feel like you knew exactly what you were doing.”

She continues to read the paper instructions as she answers me.  “It was inevitable, Justin.  We’re meant to be together.  You had your little rendezvous with Maggie, and now she’s moved on.  It’s time for you to do the same, and I think this will be a perfect start, don’t you?”

“I never said I was ready for a kid, Hannah.”  I grit my teeth as I say it, but I’m trying so hard not to yell at her.  If she is pregnant, I know it’s not her fault alone.  I slept with her when I knew my heart wasn’t in it.  It was just about pleasure, but now…this.  I’m still responsible, though.  I can’t turn my back on her…

Or I guess I should be saying them.

“You’ll learn to be ready.  Babies are just part of life, Justin.  You’ve been taking great care of Tyler, so it’s not like you haven’t had practice.” She says it softly, and smiles as she begins to pee on the little white stick that will determine the rest of my life.

“How long until we know?”

“About two minutes.”

I lean back against the wall and close my eyes, making sure to take in a deep breath before I start hyperventilating.  The room fills with silence for what seems like years, and then, finally, Hannah speaks again.

“You wanna see?”

“Not really.”

“Just look at it.”

I force my eyes open, and push off from the wall.  She’s smiling up at me, and I know what the answer is before I even look at the results of the test.

Pregnant

“Are you going to say anything?”

“I don’t know what I’m supposed to say.”

A stern look takes over her expression, and she quickly gets up from the toilet and pulls her underwear back up.  She sets a firm stance in front of me, and shoots me a glare.  “We’re having a baby, Justin.  Let that sink in for a minute before you say anything else, all right?”

I look at the floor and let out a breath.  She’s right.  I’m too smart to act like a dumb ass right now.  I’m the best lawyer in my field, and have a good head on my shoulders.  I love kids, and having a baby with Hannah will only bring us closer, only give me a reason to fall in love with her like everyone always wanted me to.  Tyler will have a place her with us.  A family to make him whole again, and those should be the things to focus on.  I shouldn’t be thinking about the past, how sick I was, or how shitty I’ve felt ever since I woke up in the W hotel alone that morning.

“We have a chance, Justin.  We have a chance to really be something, you know?”  She steps closer to me, and strokes my face lightly with her hands.  “Don’t make me go through this by myself.”

“I…”  I pause and lick my lips.  “I would never make you go through something like this alone, Hannah.”

“I’m not afraid that you might leave.  It’s your walls that scare me.  You build them up so high Justin…”  She sighs a little, and pulls my face closer to hers.  “Please say you’ll try to make this work.  I already know that I never stopped loving you.  With a little more effort, I know you could love me.”

She gives me a deep kiss on the mouth.  I don’t pull away.  

“I’ll make a doctors appointment to be sure of everything,” she promises me with a smile.  “It’ll be after Christmas of course, but I’ll let you know when it is, so you can come.  They’ll probably do an ultra sound so we can see the baby for the first time, and then…we can start making plans, right?”

“Yeah…all right.”  My forced smile escapes.  It’s back.  That suppression.  That dread.  That misery that comes with being with someone you don’t love but force yourself to be with.

There’s nothing else left for me now.  No where to turn.  I may not love Hannah, but it’s a way out, and a way to carry on my families legacy and hers.

“Can you help me finish packing so we can head out?”

I nod, and simply walk behind her in a daze.  She begins piling things into my arms to put into our suitcases, and I perform the task obediently.  Everything is a blur, nothing seems to make sense, but then my mind begins to clear as reality rears its ugly head.  We’re spending Christmas with my parents.  I can’t help but let the despair sink in. Do I tell them? If I do, they’re going to ask if we’re engaged again.  What do I say? I haven’t said anything about getting married to Hannah, but to be honest we haven’t had much time to talk about all that.  It’s next on the list I’m sure.  Whether we talk about it on the trip to the Island or over the holiday break, it’s certain that I’ll put a ring back on her finger by New Years so I don’t look like some kind of deadbeat.  There’s no more choices now, just obligations.

In an instant, my life has turned out exactly the way it was always planned out to be, and I have no choice but to accept it.
Chapter 26 by ialwayzbesingin
June 23, 2017

Cut Beverly Hills

9500 Wilshire Boulevard
Beverly Hills, CA 90212


“Oh my gosh! Tad!”

“Tad! Tad! This way!”

“Tad! I love you! I LOVE YOU!”

Arms reach out,  their photographs and magazines whacking various areas on my body as they wave around in the air, begging him for an autograph.  He’s forced to stop every ten feet or so, gripping my hand with one of his and signing autographs with his free one, flashing his dimples as best he can without looking annoyed for the cameras.  It’s been a lot for us, the move, the auditions he went out on, the missed dinners and the late nights I spent alone in our condo, and the shocking turn of events that literally made him an overnight celebrity.  We can’t go anywhere in peace now.  Paparazzi follow us down every block, around every street corner, and gaggles of women, young and old, await us outside of every place we go.

“Go on inside,” he tells me with a reassuring wink.  “I’ll be right behind you.”

I do it, but only to get away from the crowd.  The Maitre d’ greets me with a warm smile, knowing who I came with automatically, and soon enough I’m escorted to their best table, chair pulled out for me as I sit, with the reassurance that their head chef will be by just as soon as Tad is able to come inside.

I wait twenty minutes.

Thirty minutes.

I order a glass of wine, then another.

An hour.

“Sorry.”  Tad sits down in the chair that is pulled out for him and flashes me that dimpled smile again.  “A crowd gathered.”

I swig my wine and shrug.  “It’s fine.”

“Look,” he sighs.  “I have to be on set tomorrow morning, but we’re stopping by two the latest, and I’m off the next day.  We should do something…get away overnight.”  He reaches across the table for my hand and I give it to him.

“Yeah um…sure, we can.”  

He’s smiling.  He’s always smiling, but I can’t seem to make myself do it lately.  Despite the ring, and the beautiful wedding we had last month, despite how happy my family is for me, each day it just seems to get harder and harder to be happy with him.  He can be miles away from me sometimes, even when he’s sitting right here in front of me.  

Tad was a last second pick for a new crime drama that became the biggest show on network television by its third episode.  He plays the lead character, a slick detective that always gets his man, and his dimples are the co star.  I’m happy for him.

I just wish he could put it all to bed when he gets home.  He can’t seem to do it.  His phone is constantly at his ear, and he’s always rushing off to some meeting with his agent.  He gets booked on a different talk show every two weeks.  In fact, next week we’re flying to New York for his first appearance on the Tonight Show.  He’s overjoyed.  Apparently Jimmy Fallon is planning some silly game for them to play which will go viral and make him even more famous.

Where does that leave me?

In the background, mostly.

I’ve quit my job as a lawyer.  I tried very hard after the wedding to get back to work, but Tad made it clear that with his schedule, there was no way our relationship could work if I was being pulled away by my own career.  I didn’t fight it.

I just gave it up.

I gave it up after fighting so hard for a prominent place in the legal world.  I remember, initially, I pushed back.  I told him that I still wanted to have a career, but…

“Hey.” Tad tugs my hand and squeezes it harshly, turning my fingers bright white.

I gasp slightly and the breath catches in my throat.  “Tad…”

“Are you going to do this right now?”  He leans in closer to me and sends me a dark look.  “Ruin the nice dinner?”

“No,” I croak.

“It’s like you’re not happy for me or something,” he says harshly.  “You don’t even have to work because of me, and what do you do when I take you out?  Mope.”

“I’m not moping…”

“If we weren’t out right now, I swear to God…”

My eyes widen and my body goes rigid, waiting for it.  His hand lets go of mine and he balls it into a tight, menacing fist.

“Good evening.”

The waiter appears, and I say a silent, thankful prayer as Tad’s dimples fly on and he begins to ramble off our dinner order without a care in the world.

He really is a son of a bitch.

I just wish I had realized it sooner.

The days of holding doors and pulling out chairs for me are mostly nonexistent now, except when we’re in public.  I’m an object.  The moment he married me, he made it clear that I was going to do what he wanted, what was best for our marriage, even if I didn’t have a say in it.

I should leave.

I tell myself that every single day.

But I’m so scared.

The first time he hit me, we were leaving a party at his directors house in Bel Air.  He was drunk, and I wasn’t having it.  I told him in the car that he was a sloppy drunk, and then he smacked me across the face. Hard.  The bruise lasted for nearly a week, hidden under the guise of expensive concealer and sunglasses.  He apologized, bought me flowers, and kissed my bruises, until they faded away completely.

But instead of turning back into that cute guy I married, Tad just got worse…

And worse.

His fist has been much looser since the first time.  I guess…because he knows he can get away with it.  My family is all the way across the country, and I have too much pride to break down and tell them what Tad has turned into.  I’m sure…I’m sure Hannah would tell me I deserved it.  She’s made out well, Hannah, got the Live! gig a few weeks back, and hosts daily in place of Kelly Ripa as Live! With Hannah and Michael.  Sometimes I watch, selfishly. She’s got a brand new fat diamond engagement ring on her finger.

She’ll be giving birth in a couple of months too.  Lately all of her segments have been about women’s pregnancy health and fun activities with baby.  The media and housewives alike are eating it up.  Last I heard from a friend back at the firm, ratings had skyrocketed and she had been resigned for four more years.

I hate watching.  I think about him.  I think about what I ran away from that night at the W, and how he probably felt so lost that he ran back to Hannah for comfort, because that’s all he knew.  She saw all of that vulnerability, and made it a point to trap him for good.  Even so, Hannah has never been that horrible to Justin.  She’s just very needy, very holier than thou, and won’t accept anything less from Justin than flashy law career, vegetarian meals, yoga, and his millions.  She molds him into what she wants him to be, and he goes along with it.

It’s a life that at one time, he was desperately trying to escape.  Maybe he would have, if things had worked out differently with Fay…

If I’d had a little more faith in him the second time around.

I wish I knew how he felt, but I seriously doubt he ever wants to see me again, and I can’t blame him.

The waiter leaves us.  I have no clue what I’m about to eat.  

“Now,” Tad continues.  “Are you going to snap out of this?”

I stare at him for a moment, waiting for my heartbeat to slow back down before I answer.  “Yes…I’m…” I pull out my smile.  The one I reserve only for when I’m most desperate.  “Tad, I’m sorry.  I just get overwhelmed sometimes…you know.”

A soft dimple emerges, and I know I’m in the clear for now.  “That’s more like it, babe.  You know, I don’t…I don’t like to get so angry at you.  You just…you make me so crazy sometimes.  You just don’t get it…I love you.”
r32;His fingers begin to curl into a fist again.

“Tad,” I whisper.  “Just…please, okay?  Please?  I said I was sorry.”  I glance around nervously, but he’s been quiet enough that no one has noticed.

He takes in a deep breath, and laughs a little as he lets it back out again.  It sounds bitter, and resentful.  Like he hates me.  

“We’ll finish talking about this later.”

I swallow hard.

Dinner arrives and Tad seems to slip back to his better side. We talk about him, about the set and his upcoming schedule.  He talks about New York a lot, and all the things he can’t wait to experience.  I force myself to smile, comment on everything with an excited tone, and never forget to tell him how much that I love him.  He downs wine glass after wine glass, and by the time we finish dinner, I’m terrified about his level of intoxication.

The valet pulls the car up as we walk out of the restaurant.  The crowd is still there, and flashes burst in my face the moment we set foot onto the sidewalk.  They scream for him, nearly knock me over trying to get what they want from him, and he barely checks to see if I’m all right.  He’s staggering slightly, concentrating too hard on his dimpled smile as he sloppily scrawls out autographs for the fans and poses for pictures.

“Baby, I can drive.”

“I’m driving.”  He puts the pen cap on his Sharpie and waves to the crowd while the valet hands him the keys back.

He stinks of wine.

“I’m just…I mean, you’re tired and…”

He yanks me by the arm and opens the passenger door, tossing me down into the seat.  I hear gasps, more flashes go off, and I stare up at him, terrified.

“I said that I’m driving.”  He gives me a dark look.

I say nothing, just swing my legs in the car the rest of the way, and cringe when the door is slammed shut on me.

He’s too drunk to drive, I know he is, but it’s not the first time he’s pulled this.

I should get out and call home.  Every logical part of me is screaming at me to do it.

He gets in the drivers seat, slams the door behind him.

I can’t move.  “Tad…are you sure…”

He backhands me across the face before I can stop him.  “I said…I TOLD you…I’m driving the fucking car.”

“Okay.”  I whimper and cower in my seat with my hands raised in a surrender motion.  “Okay… Tad.”

He peels away from the curb at a frightening speed, and no one stops him.  I clutch the sides of my seat the whole way home, my face throbbing, the tears pushing from behind my eyes until they are literally aching.  When I see our complex, I start to thank God for getting us back safe, but that all stops when he parks.  I’m not even half way out of the car before he grabs me by the hair and starts to drag me up to our front door.  I scream, but he barely hears me, just tosses me through the door when he gets it open.  I land on my backside, hard, and I cry out again as the door closes.

“You think you can order me around huh?”

“No…No I…I wouldn’t…Tad!”

He backhands me again, and again.

My face is bruised and bloody by the time he’s finished.  He slumps against the wall, too drunk to continue, and it’s only then that I manage to escape to the bathroom and barricade myself inside.  I cry for what seems like hours, holding myself, clutching my face and pressing a towel to my split lip.  

I have my clutch with me still, by some miracle, and snap it open, pulling my phone out with shaking hands.  I pull up my sister’s number and my parents number, but I can’t bring myself to dial either of them.  I’m just…

I’m so embarrassed and ashamed of what I let him do to me.

Fink & Harrison- Timberlake business cell (anytime)

The number shines back at me on the screen like some sort of heavenly omen.  I don’t know what it is…I just feel like I could reach out to him for something this drastic, and he would give me the answer I needed.  He’s always been that way, no matter what was going on, and I was always there for him…
At least up until a certain point in our lives.

“Maggie.”  I can hear Tad groaning from the hallway.  “Maggie…baby, I’m sorry.”

I press my lips together, but can’t suppress the tears rolling down my face.  They sting the cuts there, reminding me of what just took place…

Of what’s been taking place for months.

I can’t live this way anymore.

I press send.
********************
July 23, 2017

Buy Buy Baby

270 7th Ave, New York, NY 10001

“What do you think?”

I run my hand along the smooth wooden railing, feeling a hint of a smile pulling on my lips at the thought of why we’re here today.  

A little girl.  We’ll call her Mackayla Brianne.  A decision, not a compromise, that we made with smiles instead of resentment.

“It’s all right.”  I turn and lean against the crib, staring her in the eyes.  “I still like the other set better.”

“God, that’s so boring.”  Hannah wrinkles her nose and rolls her eyes.  “Brown.”

“It’s neutral,” I shrug.  “What’s wrong with that?”

“Girls are supposed to have pinks and pastel purples.  I want the nursery themed to those colors.”

I chuckle slightly, and begin to rub her shoulders when she braces her back from the pressure of her belly.  “Do you like it, Hannah?”

“I love this one.”

I kiss the nape of her neck gently.  “Then we’ll get it.  Simple.  I told you I would have just given you the card.”

“You’re supposed to be around for all of this!”  She whines and pulls away from me.  “Justin…”

“Hey…all right,”  I pull her closer to me and hold her face in my hands when she turns around again.  “I’m here aren’t I?”

“Barely.”

She’s right.

“I’m excited, you know that,” I tell her gently.  “This part just isn’t my thing, that’s all.”

The heart surgery has become all but a distant memory.  I’m walking normally again, and I barely use my inhaler.  I’ve turned back into myself, minus Fay, but I’ve found a lot of great ways to cope.  I go visit her with Tyler every Saturday, and Hannah fully supports it.  Sometimes she comes, but often times she likes for me to go by myself, because she knows that I need that solitude to be at peace with Fay’s absence.  Hannah has learned to compromise a lot with me since we found out she was pregnant.  She doesn’t nag me as much, and if nothing else, we’ve learned how to become great friends who can nurture each other through all of life's challenges.

In two weeks we’ll be married.  She’s hardly complained that she’ll be walking down the aisle seven months pregnant.  I think she’s too happy about our baby’s arrival to care.  

So am I.

I admit, for the first few months I was scared shitless about the idea of a baby coming into my life.  Tyler was one thing.  He was practically a teenager and had developed his own set of friends that he wanted to spend most of his free time with, but a baby? A baby that was going to be mine?  With my career, I didn’t know how the hell I’d never make the time.  I convinced myself that Hannah would have to do most of that work for me.  I guess things started to change after that second ultrasound.  We could really see her then, and when they told us it was a girl well…my heart melted.  From that point on things were different.  All I thought about was that baby; names, places I wanted to show her, all the things I wanted to teach her.  I thought about Hannah and I, how we would raise her together and be the best parents possible.  

Things have changed…they’ve changed a lot. I put a ring on her finger so quick after that even my parents were surprised.  I wanted to do it though.  I just…I didn’t love her, but I wanted to be her husband.  I wanted us to be a family.  I still do, despite her flaws, and my frustrations.  None of it seems to matter anymore.

I swore to myself that my daughter would come before my job, and I knew that Hannah felt the same way.  She’s gotten the gig of a lifetime with Live!, but swears that she’s taking at least six months before she’ll think about going back, and even then, she only wants to do a couple of shows a week.  I’m fine with that, because I can take care of her, and to be honest, I’d rather be the one to take care of Hannah than see some nanny raise our daughter while she goes and has a full time career.  

For the first time since we met, we we’re on the same page, have the same goals, and cater to each others desires naturally, not out of desperate obligation.  I kiss her without forcing myself, I watch movies and fall asleep on the couch with her because I want to spend that time with her.  I run out for Breyers Gelato at 3am at least four times a week because I care about her…because she’s my best friend.

I never thought I’d say that, but she was there when no one else was.  I’ve made mistakes, but she’s seen me at my lowest, and she loves me anyway.  I don’t deserve it, and because of that, I’m going to do everything in my power to make it work.

I was asleep when the call came through that night.  It’s been about a month now that I think about it.  There was no voicemail, just her number, and I was bewildered the entire morning. At least until I got to the office and started to focus on my normal routine, and the things that mattered.

I didn’t call her back, and I didn’t mention it to Hannah.  I just let it go.

I hope that bitch never calls me again.  Something inside had pulled at me, told me that she wouldn’t have called me for an insignificant reason, but I forced those feelings away.  Maggie couldn’t play a part in my life, no matter how small.  If I didn’t have so many contacts, I probably would have changed my number.  I’m bitter enough.  

I’ll always be.

We purchase the nursery furniture, and I take Hannah to her favorite restaurant for lunch.  I try to focus on our plans, on the wedding, and Mackayla.  The baby starts to kick at one point and Hannah excitedly pulls my hand down so I can feel, and my smile grows a mile wide.  Still though, I can’t completely concentrate on the moment and it’s making me angry.

Something is just off…I can feel it, even though I don’t want to.

I take Hannah to Lamaze and do techniques with her for about an hour, before I take her back home again and get ready for the Knicks game that Barry and Benjamin invited me to over a month ago.  I’ve been looking forward to the night out, surprisingly enough, even if it is with my father and my boss.  

“Have fun.” Hannah smiles at me once I give her a kiss goodbye.  “Can you bring me some gelato on your way back?”

“Sure thing.”  I caress her face gently.  “You sure you’ll be okay?”

She reclines back in the chair and flicks the tv on.  “I’m pretty set here.  This little one is still cooking inside of me and I have enough to watch on Netflix to last me a millennia.  Go on and have fun, would you?”

“All right.” I smile for her.  “I probably won’t stay the whole time…”

“Just go! My God, Justin!”

I just laugh, and walk out of the house before I can ramble on anymore.  I walk the three blocks to the subway, and just as I’m about to walk down the stairs, my phone starts to ring.  I pull it out quickly, thinking it’s Hannah going into labor.  “Baby? You okay?”

It’s a recording.  Something about an incoming call from a correctional facility, and all I can think is that one of our clients has gotten themselves into a bind over the weekend. I sigh harshly and take a couple of seconds to decide if I want to deal with this right now.  But Barry would want me to, so I do it.  “I accept.”

“Justin?”

The voice is weak, and terrified.  Still, I would know it anywhere, but…it just can’t be.  “Maggie?”

“Yes.”

I stop dead in my tracks. I’m ready to rip her apart and I guess…if she wasn’t in jail maybe…

Wait a minute.

She’s in jail?

“Are you in jail?”

“It’s…yea…”  She chokes back a sob.  “Justin I…I asked for a lawyer and so they gave me the phone and…I just…I called you.”

“What the hell happened? Where are you?”

“I’m in Los Angeles County Jail.  It’s…things have been going on and Tad he…he’s in the hospital and they’re saying…”

“The hospital?”

“They said he’s brain dead and they think that I…”

“Shut up.” I say it swiftly and firmly.  “Don’t…just don’t say anything else, they could be recording this.  Don’t talk to anyone until I get there.  You haven’t given a formal statement or confessed one way or the other have you?”

“No…no I didn’t do anything like that.  But are you…you’re coming?”

I pause for a long time.  Oh right.  What the fuck am I doing? I should be passing this to someone else, not taking this, not focusing on whatever fucked up predicament she’s gotten herself into.  I’m getting married in a couple of weeks and my daughter is two months away from being in my arms.

But this is Maggie.  Maggie…she’s just not the ‘getting arrested’ type.

“Yeah. I’m on the next flight out.  Don’t say another word until I get there.”

I hang up on her, lean back against the railing and take a few deep breaths to regulate myself.

Holy fuck.

A text chimes through my phone and I glance at it.  Hannah.  

Oh my god. Tad’s in the hospital! He’s in a coma or something! They’re saying Maggie tried to kill him!  I just saw it on the news!

Shit.  

Barry wants me to take the case


I shouldn’t lie.  I’ve made promises.  I was changing for her.  But telling the truth will probably make her cancel the wedding and take my baby away.

Are you fucking serious? Tell him no.

I have to go, Hannah.  Call your mom and have her come stay at the house.  I’m catching the first flight out and I promise I’ll be home in a couple of days.  I’ll get whatever I need for the trip once I land.  I love you, all right?

She never responds and I know how angry she is.  I should turn back, go home to her and reassure her about this, but I don’t.  There’s no time to waste. I hail a taxi instead and tell the driver to take me straight to Kennedy Airport.  I make sure to call Barry on the way to let him know what’s happening.  He doesn’t get excited, but he never does.  He tells me to treat the case like any other, and try to keep the media circus at bay if I can.  

That’s all he says.

The rest is all up to me.
Chapter 27 by ialwayzbesingin
July 24, 2017

9:45am

Los Angeles County Jail (Inmate Reception Center)

450 Bauchet St, Los Angeles 90012


“Dawson.”

My good eye cracks open and I see the officer standing at the barred door, waiting for me to respond.  “Huh?”

“Your lawyer’s here.  Let’s go.”

Lawyer?  Oh God…

Justin.
 
Two nights ago is a blur now.  I can’t remember much of anything…except the end.  That final blow to his head once I got that baseball bat away from him.  He was swinging it so hard and so fast that I’m lucky to be alive.

But the police don’t know what to believe, since I’ve barely told them a thing.  Yes, I’ve been facing some severe mental anguish for months now, but I haven’t forgotten everything I learned in law school.

I guess I just…I never thought I’d be on the other side of things.

They say he’s on a ventilator.  That his vitals are bad.  That he’s a vegetable.  They’re also telling me it’s my fault, even though I haven’t said a thing about it.  They don’t know.  They see my face and my bruises but they just don’t know what it’s been like since I married Tad.  I doubt I could have told them.  I was too shaken…too scared and in too much pain.  I just kept my mouth shut and prayed to god that Justin still had some sort of compassion for me, because I didn’t think I could deal with any other lawyer out there.

The fact that he agreed to come out, left me speechless.  When I called that first time and he didn’t answer, I knew that he wanted nothing to do with me or my nightmarish situation.  I have no idea what I’m going to say, if I’m going to be able to speak to him calmly and make him understand what actually happened that night.  It’s been too long, and we didn’t part on good terms.

“Dawson, it’s now or never.”  The correctional officer sighs and crosses her arms.  “Are you coming?”

“I…yeah.”  I painstakingly push myself up from the concrete bed and shuffle to the door. She opens it and shackles me up before guiding me out of the cell and down to the rooms reserved for lawyers and their clients.  I start trembling when she pulls me to a halt in front of one door in particular, and when she opens it, I look down at the floor immediately, praying he won’t notice my swollen eye and other bruises and cuts right away.  

“Buzz the intercom when you’re through.”  

She shoves me down in a chair and walks away.  The heavy door clangs shut, and I know we’re alone.  I still can’t pick my head up.  I can hear him breathing, and something taps against the top of the table we’re sitting at . I know he’s waiting for me to say something, but when I try, my tongue seems to dry up and the breath catches in my throat.  I never thought I’d be here like this, let alone be here with him as my lawyer.

I still can’t believe he came.

“Look at me.”  He says it softly.

I shake my head.

“Maggie.”

I can’t help it.  Hearing my name come out of his mouth is the most soothing thing I’ve heard in months.  I’m looking into his eyes before I know what’s happening.  He cringes.

“What the hell happened?”  He leans in to get a closer look at my injuries, and I can sense how nervous he is.

I don’t answer.

“Did he do this?”

I nod and the tears glide down my face.  

“Was it the first time?”

“No.” I manage it, finally.

He sighs, and sits back.  “Jesus.”

I’m finally able to give him the once over.  Fuck, he looks amazing.  I tear my gaze away quickly.  

“I need to know exactly what happened,” he finally says.  “Not just the other night…but from the beginning, okay?”

“I don’t know what happened.” I shake my head harshly.  “After the wedding he just…he changed.  He started drinking all the time, and I guess the new fame must have done something to him.  I really don’t know Justin.  I’ve been hit so much in such a short amount of time that I forgot how it all began.  I’ve just been taking it but…the other night…I thought he was going to kill me.  He had a baseball bat and got a couple of hits off on my face before I finally got it away from him and…he just kept coming so…so I just…”

I start to sob.  It takes seconds for me to become hysterical, and I can’t even wipe my face because my wrists are shackled to my waist.

“It’s okay.”

I feel him behind me, rubbing my shoulders consolingly one moment and caressing my face the next.

“Maggie, I promise…it’s going to be all right.”

“How can you know? He’s…Tad is dying and it’s my fault.”

“You were defending yourself.  God Mags, you know this stuff just as well as I do.”

“It’s high profile.  Everyone knows who he is.  It’s going to be a fucking fan fare.”

“It doesn’t matter.  Shit, Mags, I’m not going to let you lose this, okay?  I promise.  I’ll do whatever it takes, and with any luck the judge will release you into my custody after we post your bond.”

“Your custody?”

He smiles gently.  “You’re not going to spend the weekend in LA County if I have anything to say about it.  I’m going to make some phone calls, and make sure you stay in a private cell for today.  Your hearing should be tomorrow morning.  I’ll be waiting for you at the courthouse.”

“I didn’t think you…I didn’t think you would come.”

His gentle smile fades away.  “I’m not thinking about what happened right now.  That’s done.  I’ve moved on.  I still want to help you, though.  You’ll always be like family to me.”

He walks over to the intercom, ready to buzz himself out so he can get down to work.  I’m amazed.  Just like that he’s ready to drop his life to make sure I get acquitted.  He’s on my side, after the awful way I treated him.  

“Justin.”

He buzzes and looks back at me.  “Yeah?”

“I’m sorry about…everything.”

He licks his lips quickly and nods.  Then the door opens and the correctional officer walks back inside and picks me up from the chair by the arm.

“Just sit tight,” he whispers it and vanishes through the doorway.
**************
July 24, 2017

6:00 pm

The London West Hollywood

1020 N San Vicente Blvd, West Hollywood, CA 90069

“I don’t even know what to say.  Are you going to leave? I mean…the baby? What about her!”

“Hannah would you listen to me?”  I lean back against the headboard and run a hand through my hair.  “I am not leaving you.  I’m not going anywhere.  This is just work.”

“It’s Maggie.”

“It’s a coincidence that it’s Maggie.”

“You never would have dropped your life this fast for anyone else.”

True.

I sit up and sit indian style on the bed as I dig back into my room service dinner.  “Can we talk about us instead of work please?”

“No. You’re not just going to blow this off, Justin! You know how I feel!”

Typical. I sigh harshly, knowing that I have no other choice but to tell her the reality of the situation.  “Tad was beating the hell out of her, Hannah.  I’m not going to try and send you pictures as proof, but she’s pretty beat up and she needs my help.  I’m a good lawyer, and she’s always been able to trust me.  Can you please just do me a favor and look past all the stuff that happened and see the situation for what it is?  A friend helping a friend, that’s it.”

“She’s practically a murderer.”

“Please don’t talk about things you know nothing about.”

“Of course you’re siding with her! Why don’t you just fuck her while you’re at it?”

She hasn’t been this vindictive in a very long time.  We were doing okay.  Tolerating each other well and nurturing our upcoming future.  Now she’s turned back into the same old Hannah, and my emotions are so worn out from today that I know I can’t deal with this too.  “Look, I’m going to go.”

“Right, of course you are.  Don’t expect to call me unless you’re coming back home, and you’ll be lucky if you have a place here when you do.  Remember, I’m the one carrying your daughter.  I don’t have to let you have access to her if I don’t want to.  I’ll win, you know that right?”

“You’re going to hold the baby over my head now?  Are you for real, Hannah?”

“I’m completely real, Justin.  Get your act together.”

She hangs up on me.  I don’t even know what to do, so I throw my cell across the bed in frustration.  She’s acting like a child.

When doesn’t she?

A trap.  That’s what I’m in, and I’ve been doing everything I can to make it work for the sake of my daughter.

I knew going into this that I wasn’t in love, just lonely, and she took advantage.  I have a child to think of though, and that’s the only thing that makes me stick around and cater to Hannah’s every desire.  It’s not healthy.

It can’t possibly last, and my kid is going to be stuck in the middle.

I let out a long breath and tug my notes back on my lap.  I’ve made an excellent presentation for the prosecutor tomorrow morning. The whole thing is pretty cut and dry.  It’s so obvious that Maggie was acting in self defense that I doubt we’ll spend much time in front of the judge tomorrow.  I’m completely confident that the case will get thrown out, and she’ll be on a plane back to the city by the end of the week.  What happens to her from there, I don’t have any control of, but as long as she’s safe…that’s all that matters.

I sigh harshly and throw the notes off my lap.

I love her.  I really do.  Seeing her that way in the jail, beat to a pulp, literally tore me apart inside and it took everything I had not to let those emotions out.  She needed me to be strong, and I was still bitter too.

I’m not now.

But it’s ridiculous for me to be thinking this way.  I have too much going on back home, the trap known as Hannah and a baby on the way that I love more than anything in the world.

I just have to get through the next forty eight hours.  That’s it.  Then it’ll be done.

But that’s what I said last time.  I was done. I didn’t have to see her anymore.  But somehow, fate brought us back together, just like every other time.  I want to be angry, but I just…I can’t be.  I want to save her, and a good part of me wants to love her again so damn bad.

I’m completely fucked up.  I can only hope my baby turns out smarter than me.

I finish dinner and watch some mindless sitcom on the tv before I doze off, still in my court suit and shoes.  When I wake up, the tv is still blaring and it’s almost five thirty in the morning.  I rush around, showering and throwing on a fresh pressed suit and tie before I’m out the door. With the shitty traffic in Los Angeles,  I make it to the courthouse just in time to meet with the prosecutor before my slot passes.  

“Jeff.”  I shake his hand and let out a relieved sigh.  I went to Yale with this guy.

“Shit, you’re taking this case?”  He chuckles a little.  “I should have known.  Barry picks up all of this media spectacle crap.”

I shrug.  “I was hoping we could talk about a self defense plea.”

He groans.  “Justin, really? You’re going to hand me that bs this morning?”

He pushes his way through the office door and I follow close behind.  “He came at her with a baseball bat, Jeff.”  I let the door close behind me and place my hands on my hips, giving him a serious expression.  “She was afraid he was going to kill her.  Hell, he probably would have if she hadn’t fought back.”

“That’s hearsay.  Mr. Avery is on life support as we speak, and he’s not coming out of it, so we only have one side of the story.  This case has turned into an overnight media circus and someone needs to be held responsible for the crime.”

“You can’t just prosecute because you need someone to blame for this.”

He shrug and sighs.  “That’s politics Justin. You’re one of the best lawyers out there.  You know how this works.  It’s an election year and the District Attorney needs the publicity.  I’m sorry.  I can help with bond.  I won’t petition to hold her without bail, pending that she’s released into your custody with an ankle bracelet.  She won’t see a prison cell again unless she loses the case.”

“The judge can still throw it out you know.  You’ll look like a fool for wasting time and tax dollars.”

“That’s the chance I’ll have to take,” he says, without remorse.  “Now, I’ve decided to be lenient on the bond because I like you, but that’s all I can do.  If you want to talk out a deal instead, you can tell her I’m willing to settle for Man one, seven to fifteen, with a mandatory five years served before parole will be considered.  If she agrees, we can avoid this whole process.”

“I’m not sending her to prison without a fight,” I say darkly.  

“All right.” He shrugs, nonchalantly.  “Then I’ll see you in court in a couple of hours.  I suggest you consult with your client in the meantime.  If the judge doesn’t throw the case out, we can talk about the deal again.”

He begins to focus on the paperwork sprawled across his desk and I know the conversation is over.

Fuck.  If I can’t manage to convince this judge to throw Maggie’s case out we’ll have to go to trial.

A trial, and my wedding is in two weeks.  Hell, my baby will be here in another month and a trial can take six or even eight months sometimes.  

I’m so screwed, yet, I’d never walk away from Maggie right now or hand her case over to another lawyer.  I just don’t trust someone else to get the job done, and if she went to prison I’d never forgive myself.

I have to work as hard as I can to win this, no matter what.
Chapter 28 by ialwayzbesingin
Author's Notes:
Okay so legit...this is way overdue. This is literally the first time I've been able to sit down on work on this in forever. I'm hoping for a just a few more chapters. Hollie...I hope you like it.

July 25, 2017
9:00am

Los Angeles County Jail (Inmate Reception Center)

450 Bauchet St, Los Angeles 90012  

“What’s he offering?”

My head is pounding.  Too many nights alone in a jail cell, sick with worry, has taken its toll on me.  I don’t sleep now.  I chew my fingernails and tug at my hair. I feel like I’m slowly going insane and I’m sure I must look like some kind of lunatic to him, even though he hasn’t said a word about it.

“It doesn’t matter.” Justin doesn’t look up from his paperwork as he speaks to me.  “We’re not taking a plea bargain.  You know better.  You’re innocent in all of this and we’re going to prove it.”

He’s so determined and in fills me up with a hope I haven’t known in months.  I want to hug him, but then…I don’t want to be near him at all because it makes me feel so damn sick inside.  I don’t get it, really.  It must be me because, for some fucked up reason, I have a longing inside for him.  I know that I physically miss him and I have for a really long time as much as it pains me to admit that.  I threw up my breakfast thinking about it.

I’ll never admit it to him.  I couldn’t take that kind of heartbreak.  I had my chance and I left.  This is my life now, and I’ll be damn lucky to walk away without any type of prison sentence.

“Justin…” I start to say more to him, but the ringing of his cell phone quickly silences me.  I watch him as he pulls it out, and my heart sinks when he looks at me again.  

“It’s Hannah,” he says gently.  “I have to take this, all right?”

I can’t even form a response, so I just nod and watch as he walks to the door and gets buzzed out into the hallway.  I wonder what she thinks of this.  She must want to kill me for interfering with her relationship yet again.  It’s uncanny. Somehow, fate always brings Justin and I back together, even if we don’t want to be. 

What does it mean though?

I wish I knew.

It takes more than twenty minutes for him to return.  He looks drained as he drags himself back over to the table and has a seat, immediately getting lost in his pile of paperwork again.

“Everything okay?”

“Hm?”  He glances at me just slightly.  “Yes…fine.”

It’s a lie, but given my situation, I doubt it’s my place to point that out.

  “She must be due soon.”

“The doctor told her it’ll be another week.”  He sweeps a hand across his forehead.  “I may have to fly home for a few days.  Someone may have to come here in my place depending on how things go, but I promise I’ll be back.”

“You shouldn’t leave your baby because of me, Justin.  Christ, go live your life, all right? I shouldn’t have called you.”

“But you did.  End of story.”

We stare at each other for just moments, and then he goes back to what he was doing.

“With any luck the judge will throw this out of court.  Either that, or Tad will wake up and admit that he’s the cause of all of this.”

I snort.  “Not likely.”

“Stranger things have happened, Mags.”

“He’s on life support.”

“From what they’re telling me, it’s just a coma.”

“What?”

He glances up at me.  “That’s the last update I got.  They took him off the ventilator and he can breathe on his own, but he’s still in a coma.”

“So he might live?”

“They couldn’t tell me that, but I’m praying that he does. At least that way we have a shot at an open and shut case.”

“He’ll put the whole thing on me, Justin.  He doesn’t want to lose his career and he certainly doesn’t want to go to jail.”

"It'll be your word against his," Justin sighs, reaching a hand through his hair as he rifles through the paperwork some more.  "A jury will sympathize with you, once we paint the story...if we even have to go to that extreme."

"I'd rather take the plea bargain."  

"I'd rather you just shut up and take my advice."

I stare at him, at the bags under his eyes, at the redness that has taken over the whites of them.  Days without sleep, mind filled with every type of worry.  A baby on the way.  A fiancé that has one foot out the door.

It's my fault.  

"Aren't you thinking about your own life?  A trial would keep you here for weeks...months..."

"If you're so worried about it, why'd you call me?" He laughs bitterly.  

"I didn't know what else to do." I look down at my lap, and wait for him to snap out another bitter response.

He never does.  It takes several minutes for him to say anything at all.

"You should have called me the first time he laid a hand on you."

I shake my head, pressing my lips together tightly to keep my sobs inside, before I can answer.  "I wanted to handle it on my own, and you were the last person I would have called at that point."

He nods slightly.  "I probably wouldn't have taken your call anyway."

"Well, I wouldn't' have blamed you."

"Why'd you bail on me?"  His voice is barely a whisper.  "Why did I wake up alone that morning?"

I shrug. 

"Maggie."

"I can't talk about this," I croak.  "Not here."

"I deserve an answer."

I look into his eyes.  The fatigue has been replaced with so much hurt, I can barely handle sitting in front of him.  "It was just a spur of the moment thing, Justin.  It never should have went as far as it did."

"Maybe." He leans forward, bringing his face closer to mine.  "But after everything, I think the least you could have done, was given me the chance to wake up next to you."

"Walking away from you, hurt less.  If I had waited, if I had spent that morning with you, I don't know how I would have been able to leave, and...I had to leave, Justin."  I shake my head and rub my eyes, clearing the new tears away.  "I had to live my life, and let you live yours."

"Or you were just too scared to see what could happen.  You could say that too, because you know that's the truth, Mags."  He flips the folders on the table closed.  "But this meeting isn't supposed to be about any of that, and I'm sorry."  He gathers everything up and slides himself out of his chair.  "I have a meeting with the judge in a couple of hours.  I'm going to push to get this thrown out of court before anything else can happen, or at the very least, get you released into my custody pending trial.  I'll keep you updated."

I watch him walk over to the door, partially defeated, but still keeping that professional confidence required of him.  "Justin."

He buzzes for the guard.  "I'll keep you updated."

"Justin, wait a second."

But he doesn't.  The door is opened, and with one small glance back at me, his eyes telling me that he's done talking about the other side of our lives, he leaves me there to be taken back to my cell.

Chapter 29 by ialwayzbesingin

July 25, 2017

10:00pm


The London West Hollywood


1020 N San Vicente Blvd, West Hollywood, CA 90069


I've worked some mind numbing cases in my career.  Some kept me up for days, others, a few weeks, because I refused to lose any battle, I refused to be less than perfect.  But this case? By far, it's the one that's wreaked the most havoc on my emotions.  In the courtroom today, following my meeting with Maggie, I poured everything I had into my argument in front of the judge, whipping out every tactic, every law trick I'd ever learned.  I fought harder for her than I had for any other client my entire career.

And the whole time, my heart felt like it was being ripped out of my chest.

I still love her.  Still.  As broken as she is.  As selfish as she's been.  As much as I've moved on with my life.

Those feelings won't ever change.  I have to accept it.

The focus is getting back to New York, Hannah, and my baby that's on the way.  That's safe, that makes sense, no matter how angry Hannah might be with me right now.  She's not quite ready to turn her back on me, not after she worked so hard to get pregnant so she could trap me. Barking threats at me is just her way of trying to protect her investment, but she wouldn't leave.  She never leaves.

That's why I put up with her.  I don't have to be alone.

It's a crappy way to live.  The worst way to live.  Standing in front of that judge, fighting for Maggie's freedom ripped every emotion out of me today.  It showed me how far I had to go before I would ever fall out of love with her, and that Hannah was just a convenient replacement that happened to be pregnant with my child.  If the baby wasn't in the picture I wouldn't think twice about leaving her to pursue things with Maggie.

I'd have another chance, after all.

Because her case got thrown out.

I sat in the hallway after the judge made his ruling and deemed Maggie's case one of obvious self defense that never should have been brought in front of him to begin with.  I breathed a sigh of relief on that bench, and sobbed into my hands slightly, knowing I'd done it, I'd gotten her out, but had no idea what that meant for her.

It was stupid to think she would come back to me.  

I didn't go to see her.  I sent the update to the prison, and she should have been released a couple of hours ago.  I arranged a car for her, and a room here at this hotel, until she can decide what her next move will be.  I'll stay for an extra day to ensure she can handle herself, and then I'll go back to New York, determined to put my life back where it was, even though I don't know how all of this is going to affect her life, personally or professionally.  The judge may have thrown the case out, but that won't change public perception of what happened between her and Tad, or any attempts he or his family may make to file a civil case against her.

I just can't save her anymore.  Not if I want a fighting chance at raising my daughter, and Hannah uses that as a weapon against me.  She knows I love the baby and want the baby, so she'll stop at nothing to ensure I focus on her and only her.  I may be a good lawyer, but Hannah is cunning.  She'll get her way in the end, and I'm not ready to lose my daughter over an attempt at having...something...with Maggie.  
I love her, but she's not worth that, as painful as it is to admit.

I finish packing my suitcase, and settle in with room service and a pointless sitcom.  I don't call Hannah.  I can't stomach another belittling conversation with her tonight, and I pray she decides to leave well enough alone until I get back to the city.  Just a day without her griping and bitching would clear my head a lot, and it's important I get that.  I've contemplated turning my phone off more than once, but in fear of the firm or a client trying to get a hold of me, I've kept it on.

It starts to ring halfway through another episode of Friends, and my stomach turns, dreading who might be calling.  I clutch the phone in my hand, not allowing myself to look at the caller ID as I answer.

 "Timberlake."  

I wince in anticipation.

"Hey."

Maggie.

I rub my face with my free hand and flick the TV off.  "Hey, did you get released?"

"Yeah, just pulled up to the hotel and got checked in.  I thought I should call...just to let you know. I was...sort of hoping you would have called before my papers came through."

"Yeah...well..." I trail off and manage to get my thoughts together being sure to avoid they subject of why I didn't call her.  "I mean, it's great great they got you out so quickly.  I'm glad you got settled.  Just let me know if anything else comes up, but you're free to leave whenever you want.  Have a good night, and good luck."

I try to hang up.

"Justin, wait a second."

I sigh.  "Maggie I just...I need to go."

"I wanted to thank you," she says quickly.  "For whatever battle you fought for me today.  I...I know that I didn't deserve anything from you, and you still did everything you could for me."

"I...I wouldn't have let them take you down like that.  But I just, I can't go there with you anymore.  I can't focus on you anymore.  I shouldn't have even started that conversation at the jail today.  That was stupid on my part.  Things went down a certain way, and the best thing I can do is accept it, and move on."

"I understand." She says it quietly.  "I just...I wish you the best with everything, you know?  I don't want there to be any bitter feelings between us."

"Yeah." I pinch the bridge of my nose, squeeze my eyes shut, holding in every single thing my heart wants me to say right now.  I won't do it.  I refuse to do it anymore.  "I appreciate it, Maggie."

"Good luck, Justin," she says quietly.

"Yeah.  You too."

She hangs up first, and I know now more than ever, that I'll never see her again.

I do my best to get to sleep after I finish eating, but I keep tossing, turning, and waking up from some strange dream that's mixed with Maggie and Hannah and Benjamin all telling me what they think my life should be like.  I can't get their voices out of my head, so I stagger into the bathroom and run the faucet, splashing freezing cold water on my face over and over again until I'm panting so hard that I'm forced to stop.  I'm a fucking mess, and alone.  I sob as I slide down onto the tile, rub my face harshly, and grab my phone from my trouser pocket, since I never changed out of my court clothes today.  It's four am in New York, but I know that Hannah is probably awake, uncomfortable without me being there, and even more so because of how pregnant she is.  I call her despite how much I don't want to, desperate to hear a calming voice, to hear her tell me everything will be fine once I get back to her.  That she'll take care of me.

"It's four am, Justin."

I blow out a silent breath.  "I needed to hear your voice."

She snorts a disgusted laugh.  "Since when?"

I lean my head back against the base of the sink.  She has a point, as much as I don't want to admit that right now.  "I...just thought we could talk."

"Your so pathetic, you know that?  What happened Justin? Did things not work out with Maggie?"

The answer, truthfully, is no.  I brought up what happened in New York and she blew me off, while I thought she may have come around, told me how she felt, so I could try to work things out with her.  That didn't happen, and now I have to wake up and deal with reality.  The reality is Hannah.  The reality is my baby.  That's what I need to get back to.

 "That wasn't why I came here."

"You can feed me that crap until you're blue in the face.  You forget I'm smarter and I know otherwise.  Are you all alone in your hotel room Justin? Are you restless or having trouble dealing with Maggie's rejection?  I heard you got her off, I bet you poured everything you had into this one, didn't you?"

"I didn't call you for this," I say darkly.  "I called to talk to you about us."

"If it wasn't for your father, there wouldn't be an us.  I was ready to leave you.  I had my bags packed, and your shit was in the hallway.  Then your father gave me a call.  Did you know he offered me money just to stay with your pathetic, scheming ass, Justin? Gave me some song and dance about how the all that cocaine affected your judgement and you'd been through too much since Fay died, and that Maggie was just a way of you venting all of that out of your system?  He practically begged me to say," she cackles.  "Like I was your last glimmer of fucking hope or something. He's lucky I can fake compassion so easily, even with this pregnancy."

"He paid you?"  I sound like a fucking idiot.  

"Yes, Justin.  He paid me.  Probably to save you the trouble of having to do it out of your own pocket with all those child support payments you were about to owe me for the next eighteen years.  So I'm here, with the stipulation that when you get home, you are to listen to every word I say, and do everything I ask of you.  You'll run your life on the schedule I make up for you.  You'll have your career, you'll come home, and you'll spend all your free time with the baby and with me, like you're supposed to.  If you don't comply, I'll crush you like the little pussy you really are, and believe me when I tell you, Benjamin is done being so forgiving when it comes to your issues.  He'll crush you just as quickly when you come crawling back to him for help."

"We're not married yet.  You can't just..."

"I can.  I have your daughter, and I can send her away to any boarding school I wish.  You'll never see her, because I'll make sure of it.  I can make it so she never knows who you are.  You'll be a stranger to her.  Some man that made love to her mother, never a father.  She'll resent you her whole life for that."

Her words are stone cold.  I know how real the situation is now.

"You'll be home tomorrow then?"

I can hear her sly smile through the phone.  I want to smash it against the wall, scream, cry, tell her how much I fucking hate her and the trap she's put me in.  But I can't.  I can't do any of that, because she'll take the one thing I have left, away from me.  

"Justin?"

"I'll be home tomorrow."  I croak.

"That's great baby." Her voice softens back to its normal tone.  "You know...I don't want to be like this with you.  I want us to be happy.  I know we can be, as long as you do your part, and now, I'm positive that you will.  I'll see you tomorrow."

She hangs up.

For a long time, I just sit there, stunned.  I shouldn't be this shocked, I know.  Hannah is manipulative.  Hannah gets what she wants, especially from me, now she just has a pawn to intimidate me with.  Unfortunately it's our daughter.  I hate her for this.

I hate Benjamin for enabling her.

But there's nothing I can do now, except comply.

Chapter 30 by ialwayzbesingin

November 24, 2017 

2:30pm

The Blanch Law Firm

261 Madison Ave 

New York, NY 10016

It took another month for Tad to open his eyes and three more weeks before he would be able to find his voice again.  I wasn't by his bedside, I didn't call, and I didn't text his mother to find out how he was doing.  Instead, I made it a point to file for divorce the minute I was back in New York.  Despite the hundreds of phone calls and hate letters I would receive regarding Tad's near brush with death, I never caved in, never gave the press a statement forgiving Tad for what he did to me, and managed to stand my ground all on my own.  There were rumors of a civil case looming against me, in fact, I was subpoenaed, and I began looking for another attorney.  Before I could hire one though, the case was suddenly dropped. 

Then the call came.  It was early one morning, around four am New York time, but I knew it was only one am in LA.  I let the phone go to voicemail several times, before the tenth go around came, and I became tired of hiding from him.  I took my chance and answered.
"I'm not ready to talk," I said quietly. 

"Can you give me five minutes, Maggie?" 

Tad's voice was scratchy and weak, and I knew he still hadn't fully recovered.  The intimidation that had been in his voice since we got married was missing though, and I started to let my guard down just slightly.  I thought maybe I owed him five minutes to explain himself, even though I hated what he did.  "I just...I don't want to get into anything with you, Tad.  I've been through enough, and you know what you did."

"I'm not...I'm not going to put anything on you, Maggie.  I just want a chance to explain things, if there's any chance of doing that in a way you can understand.  I've been messed up for a really long time, and...I wish that I could have kept a level head for you, because you deserved the best part of me, not this part.  Never this part.  I need help, and I told the DA everything yesterday.  He said if you don't decide to file charges, I can go to a rehab center to try and get myself sorted out."
It wasn't an apology call, and I laughed bitterly into the phone.  He was calling me before the DA could, so he could avoid a trial, and possibly keep his career in check.  "You're looking to dodge a trial and keep the media out of this.  You realize they're still pointing the finger at me right?"

"Maggie look..."

"I was in prison," I said harshly.  "They were trying to tell people that I did that to you on purpose, and no one from your family came to my defense.  The only reason...god...the only reason why I'm free right now is because Justin stood in as my council and fought to get my charges thrown out of court.  Why the hell should I not file charges, Tad?  You made me live in terror...everyday."

"I don't feel good about it.  I just want to move on."

"No.  Just forget it.  You can deal with what I've been dealing with."  I began to pull the phone from my ear so I could hang up on him.

"I can pay.  I'll agree to whatever divorce agreement you put together, Maggie.  Just please...please just let me have my life back.  I promise I won't contact you again.  I'll put the blame on me.  My publicist will put together a statement putting me at fault, but telling everyone I'm seeking help.  No one will blame you for this anymore.  If anything, they'll sympathize and you won't have a problem getting back to work."

I'm not a vindictive person.  Mostly, I'm too nice for my own good, and in that moment I wanted nothing more than to have Hannah Monroe's balls and tell him that I wasn't going to back down.  I started to think about what pressing charges against him would really be doing for me.  Getting revenge? I had never been about that.  I couldn't help but think that Tad really did need more than a prison sentence to correct himself.  He needed professional help instead of a prison cell and I wasn't heartless enough to cast that aside just to give him a taste of what he'd put me through.  

"I'll have my lawyer put something together."

"Maggie..." He let out a huge sigh.  "I can't thank you enough.  You have no idea..."

"If I find out that you put your hands on anyone else, I'll make sure you pay for it."

I hung up on him.  He didn't call back.  A week later my attorney contacted his with my demands, and I overnighted my wedding band and engagement ring to his mother.  I received possession of our condo in Los Angeles, which I quickly sold for the cash, along with a Porsche convertible, which is currently parked in my buildings garage in midtown.  I bought a bigger place with the sale of the condo and my old apartment put together, a small penthouse in midtown that overlooks Rockerfeller Center worth a little over a million dollars.  I like to sit by the window most days after work, looking over casework and the people milling around down below.  It comforts me, makes me feel like I'm a part of something, since I'm completely on my own now.

My family worries about me. My sister came to stay with me for a couple of weeks after I got settled back in New York, but having her around was more bothersome than comforting.  All she wanted me to do was get out of the house and meet new people, possibly find a new boyfriend.  It was the last thing I wanted.  I told her that too, perhaps a little too harshly, and a couple of days later, she was on her way back to Boston.

We talk on the phone sometimes, but not often enough.  For awhile I was close to her and my parents, but now I avoid my family like the plague because I'm not up to talking about the last four months of my life or what happened between Tad and I in Los Angeles.  My father sent me a text last week, putting in a last ditch effort to invite me to Thanksgiving, but I simply declined, and he didn't push me.  I spent yesterday alone, at the window, watching the Macy's parade floats drift by my window, getting lost in their fantasy as I ate my microwaved Boston Market turkey dinner I'd gotten the night before on the way back from the office.  I caught up on some pending casework, and it made me content enough.  I was happy not to be living in fear of Tad's explosive behavior for once.  It should have been enough.

But then my mind would drift back to Justin, and I couldn't help but wonder how his first Thanksgiving with his baby was going, and if he was finally happy being with Hannah.  I caught a glimpse of her on Live! A couple of weeks back.  She's having a lavish winter wedding at the Ritz Carlton, and the details are all the rage of the show.

I couldn't know for sure how Justin was doing.  She barely mentioned him, and it bothered me enough to take a sleeping pill and pass out.
He cut me off abruptly once I was released from prison.  Too abruptly, considering how intense our prison consultations had been.  I figured he would have been the one to contact me about my release, but instead a corrections officer simply came and escorted me to processing.  When I got to the hotel, I called because I thought he would have wanted to at least say goodbye, but he rushed me off the phone.  I haven't heard from him since that day, and I wish...I wish I knew the whole reason.
I mean, was it really because I walked out on him that morning at the W?  I want to believe it, but at the same time, he did enough fucked up things to me in our relationship for me to do that same thing...cut him off for good, but I never did.  Every chance encounter always led me back to a  friendship with him, sometimes more.

I wish I could get one more chance, just to say goodbye properly.  I know he's still at the firm, but I feel it wouldn't be right to corner him on the phone at work.

Maybe this is it.  Maybe he just needed to move on, and be done with our whole thing.

I want to be done with him.

But something aches inside of me, constantly.

It's Black Friday here at the office, and while the entire staff is off enjoying their holiday weekend, I'm here, in the dark, putting in some overtime on a few cases that I feel need some extra love.  After submitting several applications once Tad made his statement, and going in for several interviews, I was offered a partnership with The Blanch Law firm.  We handle criminal justice cases for clients of all types, and I find the work more rewarding than corporate law or entertainment law.  I'm the only woman partner in the firm, but the other lawyers treat me with respect, and the rest of the staff is wonderful. I'm not stressed here, and I'm able to pick the cases I want to handle.  I guess that's why I don't mind working all this overtime.  It keeps my mind off how lonely I am.

Around three, my stomach starts to growl louder than it has been since noon, so I decide to give in and call it a day after ten hours at my desk.  I take the elevator down and walk out on to the crowded city sidewalk, getting jostled in between people walking and tourists staring blankly in the decorated retail windows and up at the huge skyscrapers.  I'm glad my restaurant of choice is only a couple of blocks walk from the office.  Morini, an Italian restaurant that is owned by one of my partners son in law's, has become one of my favorite go to places in the city recently. Naturally, when I walk in it's packed full of people, but the maitre d' recognizes me with a smile, and puts me in a secluded section at the back of the house, where only a few scattered, most likely elite couples, are seated for a quiet lunch.

Paradise.

I order my trademark Pinot Noir, and a salad, then hightail it to the restroom. Naturally, there's a line.  I've never understood why women take so much longer than men in the restroom.  

Fucking tourists.

I turn, deciding to hold it, and walk right into a man coming out of the bathroom.

"Shit, sorry.  My fault."

 He grips my upper arm gently before I can fall backward, and pulls me close to him.  I laugh slightly as he lets go, and look up to thank him.

Justin is staring back at me.

 "Maggie?"

He's taken back, shifting himself up against the wall beside the men's room door.  For a moment, all we can seem to do is stare at each other.  He's dressed in a wool sweater and khakis, normal, but the stubble and intense bags under his eyes aren't.  I want to run away, and I'm guessing he does too, but neither of us move.

"Hi." I look at the floor.  

"I um...I have to get back to the...are you eating here?"  He glances down the hall that leads back to the dining area with wide, fearful eyes.

"I was planning to." I roll my eyes.  "Should I not?"

"I mean..."  He looks back at me with a pathetic gaze.  "It might be better...you know, Hannah...just...it might be uncomfortable."

"You're fucking ridiculous.  I don't give a damn if Hannah is here.  What does it matter?"  

"Maggie," he croaks, and his eyes grow sad, lifeless really.  "Please."

I stare at him, bewildered.  It's like...he's afraid.  But why?  "Are you scared or something?"

"I...no...just..."

"Justin? Justin are you coming? Your parents just got here and we're trying to get started..."

Hannah comes around the corner then, accompanied by a large man in a professional looking suit who I can only assume is a hired bodyguard.  He has an earpiece, which lets me know he's not the only one supervising their luncheon today. Hannah is holding a little baby in her arms that's resting it's head against her chest.  She has light blond hair like Hannah's that curls like Justin's, with his eyes and nose to match.  I can't help but smile, but when I meet his gaze again, he looks like the wind has just been knocked out of him.

"Well, Maggie."  Hannah boosts the baby up her arms gently, and glances at Justin only slightly before returning her attention to me.  "What a nice surprise."

"Hi Hannah," I nod.  "I ran into Justin on my way to the bathroom.  I was about to have lunch."

"Really." She flashes a fake smile and cocks her head as she looks at Justin.  The guard glares at him intimidatingly, and I swear I see Justin cringe.  "What a chance encounter, honey.  You must be so excited."

The smile on her face quickly disappears, and she retreats back to the dining room without another word.

"Let's go," The guard grunts it at him, almost commandingly, and retreats off after Hannah.

"I have to go."  Justin stares at the man's backside and shakes his head roughly as a deep expression of regret appears on his face.

"Who is that guy?" I whisper.  

"Just stay away from me."  He snaps the words without meeting my gaze, and brushes me aside to meet his fiancé in the dining area. I linger for a few moments, still being able to see them at the end of the hallway.  She starts questioning him angrily, her guard standing just within earshot and Justin seems more apologetic than I ever thought possible.  He tries to take the baby at one point and I watch as the guard pushes Justin back just roughly enough to make him back down, but not draw attention to the scene.  Hannah storms further into the dining area, and he covers his face with his hands, rubbing it harshly for several moments before pulling himself together.  He starts to glance back towards the bathrooms, and I take it as my cue to duck into the ladies room before he can catch me spying.

I lean against the cool tile, panting harshly.  What the hell was that?  Our past aside, I don't get why Hannah would have been so mad at him for simply bumping into me by chance.  And Justin...

Justin has never treated me that way before, even when he wanted to avoid me more than anything else.  There's more to this, but I have no idea what it is, or how I can help him.  Who is that guy? Why does he seem like some kind of prison guard?

It's scaring me.  I want to run to him, take his hand, and get him the hell away from her and whatever crazy shit she's got him roped into.
But I know I can't.  He'd never leave the baby, that's apparent.  That's what Hannah is holding over him, and she's using it to her full advantage.  She has more power now that she's hosting such a popular nationwide show, has access to more than Justin does, despite his status in the legal world.  

It's like he's a prisoner.  

Her prisoner. 

I shudder.

Chapter 31 by ialwayzbesingin

November 24, 2017

6pm

Hannah and Justin's Penthouse

1043 5th Ave New York, NY 10011

"I told you a thousand times, I didn't know she was going to be there."

Hannah paces back and forth in front of me, arms crossed, eyes narrowed, clicking her tongue as she decides whether or not she should believe me.  "When it comes to Maggie, I know you have a bad habit of lying."

Fitz keeps my left arm firmly pinned behind my back, twisting it ever so slightly when he thinks I'm about to try and pull away.  He doesn't get it though.  I stopped fighting him off weeks ago.  "Do you honestly think I'd lie to you at this point? I told her to leave.  She wouldn't!  I swear to god, Hannah!"

She sighs after a few moments, and uncrosses her arms.  "Let him go.  I want a few minutes alone."

Fitz does it after another moment, and shoves me roughly to the floor.  
"I'm gonna be right outside that door.  Don't give me a reason to come back in," he grits roughly in my ear, before walking away and out of the room.  

It's only when I hear the door slam closed behind him, that I allow myself to breathe normally again.  I whimper slightly, my arm throbbing as Hannah crouches down to meet my gaze.  "I think I believe you."

I nod slightly.  "I swear I'm not lying."  The tears glide down my face.  I hate myself for letting her see just how broken I've become.  "I swear."

She takes my face gently in her hands, and gives me a lingering kiss on the lips, which I return, eagerly, hoping it will get her mind off of this afternoon.

I'll do anything.

When I returned to New York, things changed right away.  Hannah was just a week away from her due date, but she had already put several things in place to keep an eye on my behavior before the baby was born.  The network had provided her a team of security at her request, and at first, I thought it might have been a good thing.  Being on national television does bring it's share of crazies to the table, after all, so any extra help keeping them away from us and the baby had to be better.  

It wasn't better, and protecting our family wasn't her reason for hiring them.

They've been hired to keep me in line, away from the baby when she demands it, and to monitor my movements every single day so she'll know if I'm doing anything or talking to anyone she doesn't like.  A guard drives me to work, escorts me up to my floor, and circles my office building for the duration of my work day.  If I go to lunch, he follows me, if I meet with clients elsewhere in the city, he's right there with me.  If I go to argue a case in court, he sits outside the courthouse, waiting.  If I have to fly out for a business trip, I'm given a two guard detail and remanded to my hotel room and my places of business for the duration.   I pass their presence off to my peers and clients as something the network wants for Hannah's protection.  They buy it.  It's easier for them to just buy it, and it's not exactly that far fetched.  Fitz is very accommodating in front of the people I deal with, because Hannah has demanded his discretion, as not to hurt my career. 

Once, in the beginning, while on an overnight trip to New Jersey for a meeting with a client, I tried to run.  This particular hotel room had a fire escape outside the window, and I took a change of clothes and went down the ladder and onto the street.  I got two blocks before the second guard caught me, and I cursed myself for not being smarter.
It was the was the last time I would try to run, and the first time I realized Hannah's security guards carried a weapon on them.

He pressed his gun into my back and forced me back to the hotel, where Fitz was waiting for me in the lobby.  He didn't draw his gun, but he didn't have to.  Knowing he carried one was enough to scare me into doing whatever either of them told me from that point on.  We called Hannah once I was back in my room, and Fitz made me tell her what happened.  Naturally, she was pissed.  She said I would have to be taught a lesson, and left Fitz to do the rest of the job.

I was beaten so badly, I had to cancel the rest of my trip, and was discreetly transported back to the city, where a doctor tended to my wounds in the privacy of our penthouse.  I had two bruised ribs and cuts that wouldn't heal for almost three weeks.  I worked from home, and could barely get out of bed for most of that time.  A nurse was hired to tend to me around the clock, I wasn't allowed to see the baby and Hannah didn't visit me once.  We told the firm that I had the flu.  They bought it, as always.

I don't fight back anymore.  At this point, I fear for my life.

Benjamin has been in on this from the beginning.  He says it's for my own good.  That Hannah and her family are the best thing to secure my future and my children's future.  I begged him to help me.  To get me and the baby away from her. 

He refused.  He said if I tried to leave, he'd make sure I was found.
I can't believe this is what my life has become.  I think of Fay sometimes.  I think of what she would do if she was still with me.  I know she would help me, like I helped her.

But she's not here.  No one is, except for Hannah.

Hannah forced me to sell the house in Oyster Bay right after the baby was born,  Tyler was sent to live with my parents again, after I gave him a tearful goodbye, and we moved into a three story pent house on fifth avenue.  With her new contract, she's making more money than I ever have, and with our salaries combined we can afford to live a lavish lifestyle, and she does.  I'm given a hundred dollars a week for myself, and I'm only able to access more funds when she gives me permission, another way to keep me trapped here.  At the end of the week she checks to make sure I've spent the entire sum, and haven't hidden it anywhere.  She doesn't want me to have a stash.  She knows that could lead to my escape.

The penthouse comes complete with surveillance cameras in all areas of the house, and a dedicated, 24 hour watch team.  I'm not allowed out after eight pm, unless it's to do something with Hannah, or something work related, and more security detail has been hired to watch all the ways out of the penthouse to ensure I can't leave.  I try not to admit that I'm a prisoner...her prisoner.  I try to think that I have few freedoms because of the baby.  I need to comply because we need to a be a family, and we can't be one if I have distractions.  That's what I tell myself, every single day.

I'll lose my mind otherwise.

My happiest moment was holding Mackayla for the first time.  She was born on a Saturday morning just before the fall.  Despite the guards overbearing presence, Hannah made the whole thing really special for me, sending them into the hall so the three of us could be alone together.  Her labor went beautifully, and the only thing she could seem to do was smile as the nurse placed my daughter into my arms.  It was like no other happiness I've ever felt, knowing I created something so precious, and beautiful.  All I wanted to do was melt away into Mackayla, and let her know how much I loved her.  How much I always would.

It's the one thing Hannah has been able to give me, that I don't regret.  
It's the only thing.

It's also what she holds over me the most.  When she's really angry with me, she doesn't mind keeping Mackayla away from me for a month if it means I'll back down and do as she says.  That's how she got control over my bank account, and my incoming money from the firm.  It all gets funneled into her accounts, to with as she wishes.  I accept my pathetic allowance.  I have no choice, if I want to be able to see my daughter.  

"If you see her again, you're to tell me immediately," Hannah whispers, still in a half smile.  "Do you promise?"

"I will," I rasp.  "Hannah..."

She kisses me again.  "It's okay, Justin.  It's fine.  I'm not angry with you.  It was just a misunderstanding."  She pulls her phone out, and calls Fitz.  He's back in the room within a few seconds, and I'm helped back to my feet.  

"Can I see the baby," I ask softly, allowing Fitz to grip me by my upper arm.  

Today, we had a food sampling at that Italian place as a possible catering prospect for our wedding next month.  Hannah brought Mackayla, and it was the first time I was able to be close to her in days.  She wouldn't let me hold the baby, but just being able to sit beside her was enough for me.  Before the whole Maggie thing happened, I was able to give her a kiss on top of the head.  It was fuzzy and warm and her skin smelled of baby powder and a hint of lilac.

"I don't know...Justin...it's been a long day."  She crosses her arms at me.

Punished.  I'm being punished despite this not being my fault.

"Hannah, I'm begging you," I whimper again.  "Pleas let me see her." 

"Take him to his room, Fitz," she tells him with a yawn.  "For the night."

"Let's go." He roughly yanks me back towards the door.

"Why are you doing this!" I scream it at her.  "I've sacrificed everything for you! I've done everything you've asked!"

"So keep doing it."  Her gaze is dark.  "This is how you learn, Justin.  I'll see you in the morning."

"Hannah!" I scream her name one last time as I'm dragged through the door by Fitz.  For the first time in awhile I fight against him, but he tosses me down to the floor, his knee pressed into the middle of my back. I feel the zip ties pulling my wrists together from behind just moments later, and my body sags in defeat.  It's no use.  If I keep pushing back he'll do more than just this, so I allow him to haul me back to my feet and I walk obediently to my designated suite.  I'm shoved roughly through the door, and the zip ties are cut away once I'm further back into the bedroom.  Fitz takes my cell phone from me, as usual, and I feel the surveillance cameras zooming in on me from every angle as the door slams closed, and the electronic locks click into place.
I scream and kick the door, shout obscenities at the cameras, hoping Hannah might be watching and give a damn.  Deep down I know she isn't, and even if she was,  she'd just be laughing at how pathetic I am, and how much control she has over her supposed fiancé.

Tired and defeated, I drag myself to the bathroom and splash water on my face.  It doesn't help though, and eventually I force myself back out to the suite and collapse on the bed, eyeing the bottle of aspirin on my nightstand.

Would it be better just to take it all? Let my eyes close and fade away?
I pull it to me, study it, knowing that right now, it's the one way I have to escape from all of this.  If I don't, I'll be forced to marry her, and live my life like this...trapped...a prisoner.

I just...I just don't want to do that to my daughter.  I know the picture Hannah will paint of me.  Mackayla will know me as a loser and a quitter.  Not someone who cherished her with ever part of himself.

I throw the pill bottle across the room, the rage coursing through my body as I stand on the bed, looking into the camera that points down on me every night while I sleep.  "Damn it!  Let me out!  Hannah! Hannah!"  

I pull it from it's place above, enraged, throwing it and it's wires across the room, the tears streaming down my face.  She's told me never to touch the cameras.

I just don't give a fuck anymore.  I'm going insane.

The room is half torn apart by the time the door bursts open.  I see flashes of Fitz and his goons, and of Hannah standing by the door way.  They muscle me to the floor, pinning my arms behind me, and I feel a knee pressing harshly into my back once again, rendering me helpless.

"Justin," Hannah sighs tiredly.  "What are you doing?"

"You can't just keep me prisoner," I grit out, feeling the trickle of blood flowing out of my nose, and down the front of my face.

She smirks and crosses the room to where I'm pinned down, crouching down like she did earlier, to meet my level.  "Oh Justin," she smooths her fingers over my face, and runs them through my messy hair.  "It's not really like that.  I just have to make sure you don't...get any stupid ideas in that brain of yours.  You still have a career, and a beautiful home."

"You run my life, Hannah."

She huffs.  "Get off him and go.  We'll be fine."

They follow her orders immediately, and leave us.  I don't hear the locks click, trapping us inside, but even if I got out of this room, there's no where to run.  

She silently gets to her feet and sits on the edge of my bed, while I painstakingly try to sit up.  I cough a little, and lean against the base of the sofa, across from Hannah.

"Here."  She pulls some tissues out of the box on my nightstand and tosses them at me.  "You're a god damn mess, Justin."
I press them to my bloody nose and glare at her.  

"Do you realize that I'm trying to protect us?" She leans forward and rests her elbows on her thighs.  "That I'm looking out for your best interest?"

"Locking me in my bedroom isn't looking out for my best interest."  I sniffle and press the tissues to my nose again.  

"You'd leave me the first chance you had," she says, seriously.

"Not without my baby."

A flash of intimidation crosses her expression.  "That's right.  Not without the baby, and that is exactly why things need to be this way, because you'd take her and run the instant I gave you more freedom."

"How long do you think you can keep me like this? A year? Two years? Mackayla is going to get older, and start asking questions about why daddy gets locked in his bedroom at night.  What about the wedding? Are you going to put guards in our room while you fuck me on our wedding night?"

She lunges at me and slaps me across the face, and I try to grab her, but she kicks me in the gut hard, sending me keeling over in pain.  "Should I call Fitz and the boys back in?" She whispers it in my ear as I groan in pain.  

"Hannah...just, please, can't you see reason in all of this?  You control everything I have.  I'm just asking you for some time with our daughter and not to be held captive in our house.  I don't think that's asking for much, considering."

She sighs harshly, once again, and reclaims her place at the edge of the bed, while my gut continues to pulse with pain.  "The eight o'clock curfew has to stay the same, and the cameras stay in place."

"Fine."

"I guess...I can let you go to work without a guard, as a test.  You'll have to wear a tracking device on your ankle, and follow my guidelines of where you can and can't go unescorted during the day."  She chews on the corner of her bottom lip for a moment.  "But you'll still be dropped off and picked up at the end of the day, and your business trips with the two guard detail stay in place."

"What about Mackayla?."

"If you follow the rules, you can spend time with the two of us after work every night, and all day on the weekends."

"I want more money."

"You don't need any money.  If you need something you can't afford with the allowance, you can ask me about it.  I don't need you booking a flight out of the country behind my back."

I shake my head slightly.

"That's all I'm offering, Justin.  If you don't like it, we can keep everything the same."

I snort out a bitter laugh.  "I guess I don't have a choice."

She holds her hands out to me.  "Come lay with me."

I hate doing it.  I hate touching her now, and I hate when she touches me, but I have to do it if I want to get my way.  Slowly, painstakingly, I pull myself up from the floor, and crawl into the bed with her.  She wraps me in her arms, and I allow myself to lay my head against her chest.  The tears come quickly.  I hate it, but I can't hold them back.

"I know this is hard for you," she whispers as I sob into her chest.  "I know it is.  But we'll get through it.  I promise.  All I need you to do is listen to me Justin, and love me back."

I can't say anything, so I don't.  I just sob into her, wrapped in her arms, until she begins to kiss my neck and move her hands down to my belt buckle.  I force myself to get it together, and kiss her back, helping her remove my belt, then my khakis, boxers and sweater, before getting her clothes off too.  I make love to her, the only way I can, hard, aggressively, getting all of my pain out in every move, every pull of her hair, and every climatic moment.

She falls asleep soon after, and I gaze at her, running my fingers down her perfect skin, trying to remember how we got to this extreme.

Maggie.

Maggie has made her cage me up like this, keep me from my child, and have her goons punish me for any pushback to her rules.

It's her fault.

No.

Wait.

This is what she wants.  Hannah wants me to resent Maggie.  To want nothing to do with Maggie.

I pull away from a sleeping Hannah slightly, shaking my head roughly.  
I told Mags to stay away from me today.  I've never said that to her, in all the years we've known each other.  There was my chance to reach out, to tell her how Hannah has me trapped, and all I could do was stare at her, terrified of what Hannah might do if she caught me, and push her away.

"God Mags," I say as I look up at the ceiling, softly enough that the cameras won't pick up on the sound.  "I wish I could tell you what's become of me."

Chapter 32 by ialwayzbesingin

December 8, 2017

8am

New York County Courthouse

60 Centre Street

New York, NY 10007


I haven't slept well since my chance encounter with Justin two weeks ago.  Whenever I fall asleep, I dream of him, of his hollow, sad eyes, and his terrified expression.  I try to help him, but he fades away, and I wake up in a cold sweat.

Needless to say I've plunged head first into my casework, barely fitting in enough leisure time to finish my morning coffee.  It keeps me focused...the work.  Energized, not thinking about things I shouldn't be.  That's what's important.  I can't focus on Justin, because he doesn't want me to.  I’ve won my last three cases, which I guess is the best thing to come out of this.

But in reality, being extremely successful at my job doesn’t fulfill me like it should.

It’s Friday, one of the busiest court house days in the legal world.  It’s a day to get everything important handled before the weekend, so your client has a chance of spending it outside of a jail cell.  I have five hearings this morning alone, plus two more jury selections after lunch.  It’s definitely a great evening to settle in for an extended happy hour.  

It just sucks going alone, or with my colleagues at the office, who are all well into their fifties.  It’s just not the same.
r32;But Justin isn’t the same, and neither am I.

I’m ready for a stiff drink by the end of the fifth hearing, having one too many heated objections with the DA.  Since I never drink on the job, I decide to dig into my emergency pack of cigarettes  instead .  After I left Harrison and Fink, I was never quite able to shake the habit, even though I limit myself to no more than four or five a week, and I have to be especially tense.  

I push myself through the backdoor of the courthouse, breathing out a sigh of relief as the cold winter air whips through my hair.  It feels refreshing, and the fact that I don’t see anyone else out here is a bonus.  I like being alone with my thoughts after such a trying morning.  Smiling, I pull out my pack along with my lighter, and light up, taking my first blissful dosage of nicotine, my workday worries escaping as I exhale the smoke.

That's when I hear it.

It’s the smallest of whimpers, almost childlike, but not quite.  I turn to my left, where I think the sound is coming from, taking another long drag of my cigarette.

My stomach lurches.

Justin is huddled against a shredded document dumpster, the neck of his overcoat pulled up to the sides of his face so it will block the cold as he smokes his cigarette.  Each time he takes a drag, I can see his hand trembling, and it's not from the cold.  When his coat sleeve slips down, I see a deep red indentation all the way around his wrist, and I’m too smart not to realize that it’s a ligature mark .

I feel sick.  I can't take this.  I can't just stand by, knowing something horrible is happening to him.  So I take my opportunity and walk closer to him.  "Hey."

He snaps to attention at the sound of my voice, but doesn't say a word when his eyes land on me.  Once again, he looks absolutely terrified.

"Can I talk to you for a second?"

"You have to get out of here," he whispers, looking over his shoulder and all around.  "I mean it.  I can't be seen talking to you."

"What the hell is going on!" I yell it at him.

He drops the cigarette and squashes it with his foot, abruptly jumping to his feet and bolting to the door.  I'm too quick for him though, and race forward to block his path before he can run back inside the courthouse.

"Move."  His eyes narrow darkly, but I can see his hand trembling on the door handle.  

"I'm not moving until you tell me what's going on."

"Move."  He grits it more harshly this time, his eyes glistening with tears that I'm sure he doesn't want me to see.

I shove him back. "I'm not moving."

"Don't!"  He covers his face protectively when my hands connect with his body.  "Please!"

I stand back.  He's cowering before me, as if I was about to hit him.  "I'm...Justin...I'm not going to hurt you, okay?  Calm down...would you look at me please?"

It takes him a long while, but finally, he begins to lower his arms away from his face, still taking an opportunity to glance over his shoulder.  "Maggie," he begins to sob again.  "Please just go...please."
 
I step towards him, somehow managing to keep my emotions in check for his sake.  Inside my heart is crumbling.  I can tell that he's dealing with something that's causing him serious emotional trauma, so I take my time before I place my hand on his sleeve.  He allows my touch, and so, I slowly move the fabric up his arm to reveal what I knew was already there.  "What happened to your wrists?"

He yanks his arm away.  "Nothing."

I narrow my eyes.  "Justin."

"He's making his rounds.  He'll see us talking," he says in a rushed, crazy sounding whisper.


"You don't know what will happen...Mags..."

I take his hands in mine.  "Is someone threatening you?"

He shakes his head very roughly, as he wipes harshly at his face.  

"Did someone..." I pause and take a long breath.  "Did someone tie your hands?  That's what it looks like."

"I didn't want her to..."  He looks at the ground, and his bottom lip trembles uncontrollably.  It's terrifying.  I've never seen Justin lose his composure so openly.  Even when Fay passed, he was able to bottle it up.

Something has been happening to him every day, for a really long time, I'm positive of that, and it's driving him out of his skull.

"Justin?"

"I didn't want to be locked in my room again.  I fought back, so they restrained me to get me in there.  It's...it's fine. They cut the zip ties after I'm inside...it's just the plastic you know, it's rough on my skin."

“They? Don’t you mean Hannah?”

“She has…people, men that work for her.  You met one of them that day at the restaurant…”  He trails off,  seems to get extremely uneasy, and can’t say anything else.

Lucky for me, I seem to get it.  Too well.  Hannah hired that man, or I guess…men, to keep an eye on Justin.  Using whatever means necessary to force him into obeying her.

“They lock you in your room?"

He runs his hands through his untamed curls.  "I'm fine."

"What the fuck? Are you saying Hannah is having them do this to you?"

He says nothing, just nods slightly.  

"That's not fucking okay Justin!  Have you forgotten the law? Are you that brain dead? Kidnapping is a federal offense.  People get life for that, you know?"

"It's not kidnapping.”

I roll my eyes harshly.  “Fine.  False imprisonment then.”

“In a week she'll be my wife.  How can I prove anything? No one would believe someone like her could do the things she's done to me.  She's got complete control over my daughter, and my assets, too," his voice cracks and he keeps his gaze on the ground.  "I have no choices.  I'm being watched all the time.  She knows when I don't play by her rules and...Mags...if she finds out we spoke...I just don't know what she's going to do."

"You can walk away.  You can do it right now."

"Not without Mack."  He looks me right in my eyes now.  "I won't leave her, Maggie."

"We can figure it out."  I step up to him and take his hands again.  This time, they're trembling a little bit less.  "I promise."

"It's not that simple."

"You can't just give up.  Justin, you've always been the the first one to tell me that we could get through anything."

"No..."  I pulls his hands out of mine again, and bends down.  "I really mean, it's not that simple."  

He rolls up his left pant leg to reveal a flashing black box that has been strapped to his calf.  After taking a closer look, I can tell it's a house arrest device meant to track where he is at all times.  Removing those devices without the proper tools sets off an alarm that reaches the appropriate people within seconds, and with hand links, that could mean the appropriate people are stationed across the street.

"I've been trying everything to get it off without her finding out, but it's locked tight against my skin.  It won't move.  Hannah is the only one with a disabling tool."

"There must be other keys out there.  This isn't the only device of it's kind."  I peer closer for a brand name, and force myself to memorize it.  "I bet you could order one online, and get it off."

"I get a hundred dollars a week in cash.  She took my credit cards and forced me to close my bank accounts.  There’s no way I can order anything online without her knowing about it.”

"I'll order it."

It dawns on him then, that he can get the help he needs through me, but he seems terrified of the prospect.  He's dealing with a lot of emotional trauma.  The kind that can mess you up for years, even with the best types of shrinks.  I have no idea what else she's done, or what those men that work for her have done to him behind closed doors.  

"Do you think you could?"

"I know I can."

He looks up at me suddenly.  "What about...other things?"

"Other things?"

"Like fake passports? Birth certificates? Name changes? Do you think you can get those things done for me and Mack?"  He says it desperately, his eyes searching mine for the promise of an escape.  Of a life without Hannah and her torment.  I can feel his pain.  It's exactly how I felt with Tad.  Terrified, uncertain, sick to my stomach.  "Do you think you can help us get out of the country?"

I know that's what it will take to get him to safety.  Hannah has too much at her disposal, and hiding out state to state would get him discovered in days.  No, he needs to cross the border.  Canada? No, too risky, too thorough.  Flying obviously won’t work, Hannah would be sure his name and the babies name ended up on the no fly list.

Mexico.

It takes thirty six hours to drive to the Mexican border...Monterrey.  My sister did it with a bunch of her friends for spring break back in high school.  Back then you didn't need a passport, but the security is so lax at the border, even the poorest excuse for a passport can get you across the border these days.

"Mexico."

He stares at me for several moments.  

"We drive to Mexico," I whisper.  "With stops, it will take four or five days to get to Monterrey.  Once we cross the border, we can figure out where to go from there."

"We?"

A hint of a smile ticks at the corner of my mouth.  "I'm not letting you do this alone, Timberlake."

"You'd come with me?"

He says it like it's the craziest thing he's ever heard.

And I guess, it may be crazy.

But I know how crazy I am about him, despite how emotionally unstable he is at this point.  

"I'm not losing you again.  I…I can’t fall out of love with you, Justin.  I just can’t do it, and it makes me want to hate you.”  

He steps right up to me now, eyes still searching mine for an explanation to all of this, and I have no idea if he’s found one, but when his lips brush against my neck ever so slightly, I know how many feelings he still has for me.

“I never wanted you to hate me.”  His whisper tickles my skin.


I'd give anything to hold him close right now, press my lips against his, but I'm sure it isn't the best idea, given the fact that Hannah's goons could be lurking anywhere.  With a sigh, I back off slight, but don’t break my gaze from his.

“I don’t hate you.  I’ve never hated you,” I tell him quietly.  “I’m…I’m in love with you.”

For the first time he smiles, just a little bit, clearing some of the fatigue from his eyes.  “I love you too.”

“Right.” I nod seriously, and put all the gooey shit out of my mind for now, because we need a plan, and I’m sure we don’t have much more time to talk before Hannah’s goons start getting suspicious.  “So, here’s what I’m thinking…”
*****************
December 8, 2017

6:30 pm

Hannah and Justin's Penthouse

1043 5th Ave New York, NY 10011


I’ve always stood by the law.  It’s kept me with a level head, and a good conscience my entire life.

By tomorrow afternoon though, if everything goes according to plan, I’ll have committed a felony, and be on the run.  

But I’ll have my freedom, my daughter in my arms, and the love of my life at my side.

I’ll put everything on the line to have that, and I won’t look back.  I won’t regret it, even if my life will never be the same again.

Of course I’ve been thinking about Mack on and off all day.  What this will do to her.  How, if we make it to Mexico, she’ll grow up never knowing her real mother, because that’s the way things will have to be.  She’ll know Maggie as her mother, and while that thrills me, I don’t know if it’s the fairest thing to do to my child.

But I don't have any choices here.

“The office?”

I sit up straighter in my chair as one of Hannah’s servers fills my goblet with water.  “Everyone has been asking to see her, that’s all.  They don’t know about…you know.”

Maggie says she’s taking care of everything.  The documents, the cash, the transportation, and the best route to get us over the border in a timely manner.  She’s even talking to Shelbie over dinner tonight, to try to get her in on this.  My secretary has always respected me, and I’m sure if she knows what’s going on at home, she’ll want to help, so I’m not worried.

I only have one job, and unfortunately, it’s probably the most important, and most difficult.

“You have to convince Hannah to let you have the baby at the office tomorrow.  Tell her the staff wants to meet her, tell her anything, but you have to get her to say yes. If not, I just…I have no idea how we’ll be able to take her with us.”

She said it so desperately, her eyes filled with worry, because she knew there was a very good chance that Hannah wouldn’t give in.  That she would say no, and I’d have to choose between my freedom and my daughter.  

I know which one I would have to choose.  I would never forgive myself if I left my kid to be raised by Hannah alone.

I promised Maggie with everything I had left inside of me that I would do whatever I could to get her to give in.  We would need just a few hours for our plan to work once I got the baby into my office.  Hannah was the biggest hurdle.

“I think your co workers can live without seeing your baby.”  Hannah rolls her eyes and digs into her salad.

“It’s just…that it’s odd.  I mean, you brought her to the studio, Hannah.  People are starting to think I don’t care that I just had a baby or something.”

“Oh. So now it matters what they think?”  She snaps harshly.  “The only person’s opinion you need to worry about is mine, Justin.  Do I really need to remind you?”

I sigh harshly and gaze down at my salad.  This isn’t going well.  “What do I need to do, Hannah?  I’m asking you for one day.”

She snickers with disgust.  “I don’t trust you alone with our daughter, Justin.  You must think I’m an idiot or something.”

“This is about our reputation.  What am I supposed to tell people? I’ve already used the baby is sick excuse, twice.  What’s next? Hannah is uncomfortable?  I’d like to appear normal to my peers, just like you.”

She drops her fork and it clatters against her china.  “Who’s asking?”

I swallow hard but keep my gazed fixed on hers.  “Barry.”

“Great,” she huffs.  “I guess your father can’t talk your way out of this.”

“I doubt it.”  I feel the sweat beading on my brow and under my arms.  Fitz stands on the far end of the dining room, by the door, but his mood doesn’t change, which means he hasn’t caught on to my mood yet.  “He’s like family, you know? He just wants to meet her, and…I know you have to be at the studio…”

“Just shut up.”

I do it, and stare blankly at her.

She taps her fork against the top of the table, chewing her bottom lip, debating the scenario.  She doesn’t want this, but at the same time, she doesn’t want anyone outside of this house to know what goes on.  

Please

“I guess I don’t have a choice then, do I?”  She sits back and crosses her arms, narrowing her eyes at me angrily.  “I swear to fucking God, Justin, if you’re plotting something…”  

“I’m not,” I say quietly.  “I’m just asking for a day with my daughter.”

“Half a day.  You’re leaving the office by two, the latest.”

Shit.

But there’s nothing I can say.  I force a smile, like it’s the best thing she’s ever told me before.  “Baby, thank you so much.  I really…I appreciate this more than you know.”

“You think I’m doing it for you?”  She slides out of her chair and stands over me, glaring with suspicion.  “That’s the last thing I’d do, Justin! I’m only agreeing to this so your business partners will shut up about the subject, and if you put one fucking finger out of line…I swear to god, I’ll kill you myself.”

I shudder.  I hate to let her see me so unglued, but I can’t help it.  I know she means it.  “A-all right Hannah.”

She shakes her head roughly, but plops back into her chair moments later, and begins to shove her salad into her mouth.  I focus back on my food as well, just picking, barely eating a thing, even when the main course is brought out…steak.  Just looking at it makes me want to hurl, but when Hannah begins to eye me suspiciously, I do my best to eat enough to make her forget about it.  

“She can only have soy.  She’s allergic to dairy.  I’ll pack some bottles, enough for the day.”  Hannah rambles it off after the dessert plates are being cleared.  

“She’s allergic to dairy?”

Deep down inside of me, the anger begins to boil, but I can’t let on to it.  It occurs to me that she hasn’t told me anything about my daughter, and that means I know next to nothing about her.  It’s not right.  It’s unethical.  

“Yes.”r32;


“Anything else I don’t know?”  

It was snide, and she knows it, because she glares at me spitefully.  “You really didn’t need to know, but since she’ll be alone with you, I need you to be prepared in case something happens.  The doctor thinks she may be asthmatic as well but he’s not entirely certain because she’s only had one mild attack.  In any case, there’s medication she takes daily with an eyedropper, and I’ll pack it for you. It’s important she doesn’t miss, because an attack can happen anytime.  Do you understand?”

“Of course.”

“Wonderful.”

Hannah lets me have time with my daughter tonight, despite her attitude at dinner, and I spend what time I’m allowed on the floor, playing with her as Hannah thumbs through a magazine and observes us every few seconds. Fitz, as always, stands just feet away, watching me like I’m some sort of criminal being granted visitation.  Even so, I do my best to tune that all out and focus on my baby.   She’s gotten so big in just a few months time, and every time I have a visit with her, she’s doing something new.  Tonight, she’s almost able to crawl. I feel like I’ve missed so much of her life, even though she’s not even a year old yet, and it upsets me…

But tomorrow will be a completely new start for the two of us.

“Say goodnight.”  Hannah orders me around nine thirty, and I give Mackayla a kiss and a hug before Fitz picks her up and whisks her back to the nursery.

Tonight, Hannah walks me to my room.  She has one of her goons zip tie my wrists behind me, for her supposed protection, and then walks behind me, one hand on my upper arm, as I walk down the various corridors that lead to my bedroom.  Once inside, she pushes the door closed, but she doesn’t untie me.

“Hannah?”

She walks right up to me, and shoves me down on the bed.  I struggle, but she places her foot right on top of my crotch and threatens to inflict obvious pain on me, so I just stop and stare.

“Why do you want the baby at the office?”

I stare at her calmly, despite the sweat dripping down my face and the circulation being cut off from my wrists.  “I told you why.”

“I don’t believe you.”  She leans down, her face inches from mine.  “I think you’re full of shit.”

“Hannah…”

“Shut up!”  

She strikes me across the face once, twice.  Hard.  My skin stings, and I know her blows are going to leave marks.  Despite this, nothing prepares me for what she does next.

The cool steel of the gun is pressed into the middle of my forehead before I know what’s happening, and I’m shaking with fear.  “H-Hannah,” I whimper.  “Please…I promise, I’m telling you the truth.”

“Are you sure?”


r32;The gun clicks.


r32;No, I’m not sure.  I’m fucking lying.  I’m trying to run, and take our baby with us.
I refuse to tell her.  I refuse to let her ruin my one chance at escape.

“Justin, I’m running out of patience.”

“I’m sure!” I scream it at her.  “Hannah! I’m not lying to you!”

It takes a few more terrifying seconds, but she finally responds.  “What if I told you that this gun wasn’t loaded?  Would you believe me?”

My eyes widen and my whole body goes numb.  I’m completely fucking terrified right now, and I don’t know exactly how to handle this.

Please don’t let me die here.  Not like this.

“I’d believe you,” I croak.  “I-I would.”

“Why?”  She presses the gun more harshly against my forehead.  “Why should you?”

“Because you’ve never lied to me before.”

A smile pulls at her lips.  “You surprise me sometimes, Justin.”

She pulls the trigger.

I wince and cry out.

Nothing happens.

She’s laughing as she pulls the thing away from my forehead, and I’m panting, crying, thanking God for sparing my life.

“Lucky.”  She pops the chamber out of the gun and spins it.  “One more and I’d be cleaning your brains off the walls.”

I see the bullet, and I start to lose it.  She cuts the zip ties moments later, and after that, I’m throwing up dinner in the toilet.

“Do you see why it’s important that I believe you aren’t lying to me, Justin?”  She giggles, while she rubs my back as I get sick.  

“You’re…. fucking twisted,” I manage.

“I’m doing you a favor.  Have a good night, Justin.”

She leaves me that way, dry heaving now, scared to death of what she’s capable of.

It almost makes me want to tell her forget about the baby in the morning, and ignore Maggie’s signal when she comes calling.

That’s what Hannah wants me to do.  She wants me to live this way, tortured, and terrified, every single day.

But I can’t give in.  I have to be strong.

Strong for my baby, even if I can’t be strong for myself.

Chapter 33 by ialwayzbesingin
December 9, 2017

11:45am

Harrison, Fink, & Timberlake, Attorneys At Law

598 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY


“She really is beautiful Justin.”

I smile up at him, and adjust Mackayla in my arms as she takes her second bottle.  “Thanks, Barry.  I hope it’s okay that she’s here.  I wanted to give Hannah a break.”

Despite the fact that I’m an emotional mess, I can still fake my mood like nothing at all is happening to me.  

“Of course.” He winks and comes over to give my daughter a soft kiss on the top of the head.  “Ah, that youth.  I can still remember when my kids were this age.  It’s a beautiful thing, Justin.  I”m glad you’re taking advantage of Hannah’s studio time.”

So am I.

“We’ll meet after lunch.” He nods.  “Go over some depositions.”

“Sounds great.”  I smile down at my daughter and rock her gently.

With one final wave he walks out of my office, closing the door behind him.  If only he knew, in another hour, he’ll never see me again.  It’s not that I’m glad to be rid of him.  Actually, I might miss the guy a little bit.  He’s pulled me out of a rut more than once, and always stood by my side.  But there are no choices.  This is my chance…our chance, to get out and change our lives for the better.  

Shelby came into my office this morning, right after eight am, started making a big deal over the baby and all that.  Once we were completely alone though, she shut my door and moved a chair up to the front of my desk, putting some paperwork down as a decoy.

“Maggie called me,” she whispered.  “Last night.  We met for dinner.”

I eyed her silently, as I continued to hold Mack in my arms.

“I’m going to help you.”

It took a lot not to get emotional.  I knew I couldn’t afford it with so many people around and the chance that Fitz might randomly pop in to check on me.  Hannah laid out the rules early this morning before she left for work.  I wasn’t allowed to take the baby out of the building for any reason, and if I did, Fitz would be waiting for me.  She would call me on my lunch hour, to make sure that I was eating in my office…

Only I wouldn’t be.

God willing, I’d be in the car with Maggie, speeding towards the Mexican border with my daughter.

“She gave me this.”  She cautiously slid the metal object across my desk.  “She said you would know what it is.”

I did.  It was the tool that would remove the tracking device strapped to my leg.  I immediately shoved it in my pocket.  “Can you watch her for minute?”

“Um, sure.”  

I handed my daughter off to my secretary and walked swiftly to the mens room, where I carefully removed the device, being sure not to shut it off.  I shoved it into the pocket of my blazer, so it would still track my movements, and I quickly made it back into my office.  

“When the lunch hour starts, I’ll meet you back here.  You’ll have to trust me.  The only way we can get the baby out of here, is if I put her inside a box, and carry her outside as if I’m running to the post office.  Maggie is going to meet me a few blocks away, and then drive back around to the fire escape.  She said there’s a back stairwell you both know well. She wants you to take that exit.  She’ll be waiting outside the door.”

It was so risky.  I knew if Mack made any type of sounds while hidden in the box, it would give Shelby away for sure, and Hannah would stop at nothing to make her pay for trying to help me escape.  

“Are you sure you want to do this?  There’s a lot of risk involved, Shel.  Especially for you.”

She didn’t hesitate.  “I’m sure.”

I couldn’t help it.  I put the baby down in her carrier and hugged Shelby, in the back of my mind vowing to send her some type of compensation as soon as Maggie and I were settled and in safety.  “Thank you.”

The next few hours practically unnerved me.  I second guessed the plan about five times, and when Hannah called me unexpectedly around ten thirty, I nearly jumped out of my skin.  She asked the normal questions, wanted to know if I had given Mack her medicine.  She said my little date with Mackayla seemed to be going better than she expected, that maybe we should do it more often.  I held my composure together, somehow.  That phone call seemed to go on forever, and I was never more thankful when she told me she would see me back at the house that afternoon.

I knew it would be the last time I would speak to her.

“Sir.”

Shelby casually walks into my office.  I eye the clock on my desk.  Twelve o’clock on the dot.  

“What is it Shelby?”

“Did you want me to mail those documents?”  She glances over her shoulder to the now empty office behind her.  Everyone has gone to lunch.  We have just minutes before Fitz might get curious.

“Yes.  Here.”

She shuts the door, and I get Mack out of her carrier.  She’s asleep, thankfully, but I have no idea how long she’ll stay that way inside of a box.  Shelby lifts the top off, revealing a small pile of blankets covering the inside of it, and I flinch as I carefully place my baby inside.

“Please be careful.” I whisper.

She puts a few empty envelopes inside, on top of Mack, hoping to use them as a decoy if she has to open the box for any reason, then she puts the top back on.  The baby doesn’t wake.  I let out a long sigh.

“I saw that guard milling around outside the building…Fitz right?”

I nod.  “Is he coming in?”

“Not so far, but I doubt we have much time.”

“Tell Maggie if I don’t come out of the fire exit in time, to just take the baby and leave.”

She nods and presses her lips together.  “Good luck.  Be at the back stairwell exit in ten minutes.”

“Go.”

She does it, seriously, calmly.  I follow her to my office door, and she gives me a final glance back over her shoulder as she enters the elevator.

Then she’s gone, and so is my baby.

I walk back inside my office, and drop the tracking device into Mack’s carrier, praying that it will be enough to keep Fitz unaware of what’s really happening.  I wait exactly ten minutes, and then walk out of my office, pulling my overcoat on and reaching the entrance to my old hiding place in just seconds.  

The elevator dings.

I hear those heavy footsteps.

Fitz.

I thrust the door open and disappear behind it, getting the flashlight from its normal place and racing down the stairs.  I know I only have minutes.  He’s going to know something is up the moment he walks into my office.  

An eternity seems to pass before I’m able to make it through the fire door, and out into the alleyway.  I look to my left…dead end.  I look to my right.

“Justin!”

Maggie races into my arms, and I hold her tight.  Several feet behind her in the distance, is the car that I’m sure we’re going to be taking, at least for the moment.  It’s a run of the mill Toyota sedan, something she probably put fake plates on, so we won’t be tracked easily.  

“Where’s Mack?”

“Backseat,” she pants harshly and takes my hand.

“Fitz is in the office.  We can’t wait.”

She nods, and we start racing to the car without another moment of hesitation.  She jumps into the drivers seat, and I get in the back with the box containing my daughter.  

“Hold on.”

She slams on the gas, and we speed down the city street.  I grip the box for dear life, removing the top after I hear Mack begin to make some noise.  She’s perfectly fine, squealing and giggling when she sees me, once I’ve removed the envelopes placed on top of her.

“Dump your phone.”  Maggie calls back to me.  “They can trace you otherwise.”

I don’t think, I pull it out of my pocket and chuck it out the window.  “So what’s the plan.”

“We have to settle down for the night so we can regroup and set a plan for the next few days.  I have some ideas where we can stop, I guess…it just depends on how things go.”

How things go, meaning if Fitz and his goons get on our tail.

“How many bottles has the baby taken today?”

“Two.  She’ll be good until at least five or six.” I look down at my daughter and she’s fallen back to sleep.  Damn, I guess boxes don’t bother her. She can sleep through anything.  Definitely my kid.  “I should tell you, she’s allergic to dairy. By some miracle, I was able to get that out of Hannah last night.  She also said that Mack might be asthmatic, so we’ll have to be careful.  I have medication to give her, but I think it’s only enough to last another couple of days.”

“Shit.”  She blows out a breath. “All right, well, we’ll have to get to a supermarket and stock up  on formula then.  I only brought some cans of regular, not soy.  The medication might be a problem though, at least until we get out of the immediate area.  You’ll have to ration it out.”

I can tell that she’s scared, even though she doesn’t want me to see it.  I can’t blame her.  The moment she agreed to do this with me, she put her life on the line.  I wish I could tell her to turn back, but it’s too late for that.  By now, Fitz has made the call to Hannah, who has surely notified the police, making up some story about how I kidnapped our daughter.  By tomorrow, I know every law enforcement agency on the east coast will be searching for me.

But, God willing, they won’t be searching for Maggie.  I’m praying that Hannah is too stupid to figure that part out.

Deep down, I know she isn’t.  That within the next couple of days she’ll realize Maggie is missing too.

I’ll do whatever it takes to protect her.

“Try to rest,” she tells me gently.  “I’ll wake you when we’re close, okay?”

“All right.”  I lean back against the seat, putting the box next to me on the seat.  “We’re going to need a car seat, you know.”

“I thought of that.  It’s in the trunk.  I didn’t have time to get it in the car before I came to get you.  We’ll stop in a while and I’ll fix it.”

She focuses back on the road, her eyes darting here and there, worriedly.  “Mags.”

“Yeah.”

“I love you.”

Her tension seems to ease for just moments.  “I love you too.”

“Will you marry me Maggie?”

She eyes me in the rearview.  “Justin…I know you’re overcome with emotion right now but…”

“I mean it.”

She sighs a little, and a slight smile takes over her expression.  “A Mexican wedding?”

“Sounds festive.”

It’s the first time I’ve really laughed in months.

“Let’s get there first.  For now, get some sleep.”

She turns the radio up slightly, telling me that she’s done talking for the moment.  It takes a long time, but my eyes finally close, and I let myself fall into a long, peaceful sleep.  The first one I’ve had in a very long time.
Chapter 34 by ialwayzbesingin

December 9, 2017

8:00pm

 Blue Jay Motel

5399 West Main Street, Salem, VA 24153

With city traffic, we made it to Virginia in about eight hours.  I glance back in the rearview mirror, smiling slightly when I find Justin is still passed out in the backseat.  I had to pull into a rest stop about an hour outside the city because the baby was crying.  Justin wouldn’t wake up, and I could only guess it was because he was so exhausted from everything Hannah had been putting him through.  I decided to let him sleep, and took charge of the situation, taking Mackayla out of her box and into the convenience store, brim of my ball cap pulled low over my eyes as I purchased some diapers and wipes so I could change the baby in the restroom.  The cashier seemed none the wiser that I was holding Hannah Monroe’s baby in my arms as I made the purchase, and I was thankful, but knew my luck wasn’t going to last much longer.  

Thankfully, I had been schooled in changing diapers while babysitting my sisters kids, so I was in and out of there within five minutes.  I didn’t look for soy formula, there simply wasn’t enough time, but I knew she would have to eat again very soon.


That time has come.  Mackayla is crying again, and while Justin is obviously still exhausted, I know he has to wake up, because she's long overdue for another bottle.  “Justin.”  I tap him gently, and when that doesn’t work, I shake him a little roughly.  “Justin, come on, the baby is crying.”

“Hm.”  His eyes drift open, and he allows them to focus on me for several moments before his sleepy smile appears.  “Hey, Mags.”  He turns slightly, and peers into the box where his daughter is now wailing.  “Aw, sweetheart.  It’s okay.  Daddy’s here.”  He reaches in and lifts her into his arms, rubbing his hand across her back in a circular motion.  

Mackayla calms slightly.

“I’ll have to remember to wake you up more often,” I chuckle.  “I changed her diaper earlier and she basically screamed the whole time.”

“We stopped?”  He seems shocked.  

“Yeah, about seven hours ago.  Mack was crying, she needed a diaper change.  I didn’t want to wake you.”

“Do you think anyone recognized you?”

“No.”  I reach down onto the passenger side floor and grab my purse.  “It’s a little early for that.  I didn’t look for soy formula though.  I didn’t want to get caught there with you alone in the car.  Once we check in, I’ll go to the store.”

“Where are we?”

“Virginia.  About twenty minutes off the interstate.  I circled around this place.  It’s pretty much a dump, but I figure it’s the last place they’ll look for us.”

He nods slightly.  

"Just wait here with her, and I’ll go pay for the room.  Make sure the doors are locked and don’t get out of the car for any reason.”  I nervously open the glove box, pulling out the Mag pistol I purchased just days ago, and hand it to him.  “For protection.”

He stares at it for a moment.

“Justin, take it.”

He does, silently, barely looking at it.

I get out of the car without another word to him, and walk up the cracked cement sidewalk and into the dingy motel office.  An overweight, greasy haired man sits on a stool in front of the black and white television, chewing on what looks to be day old pizza. I swallow back my disgust.

This is a long way from midtown luxury.

“I need a room.”  I walk up to the desk, adjusting my ball cap again.  “Just for the night.”

“Forty seven, darlin.”  He tosses a rusty key across the desk with a semi toothless grin.  “Check out’s at eleven.”

I dig through my purse, uncovering the first of many wads of bills I have with me, and fish out a fifty, not allowing him to see how much cash I actually have as I slide the bill across the counter.  He gives me some scratchy towels and the remote control for the television, and I thank him quickly before rushing out of there.  I get back to the car and Justin gets out, the baby in his arms, and I usher him through the door, closing it quickly behind us.  


The room is small, poorly lit, and has the lingering smell of bleach mixed with plumeria air freshener.  Two twin beds rest on one side of the room.  The tv, complete with foil wrapped antennas sits on the opposite side, next to a three drawer dresser.  A rickety wooden door opens to a small, semi filthy bathroom.


Thank God it’s only for the night.


Mackayla’s cries only grow louder as I put the towels away and comb my hair back into a neat pony tail.  “I better get to the store.”


Justin sits down on the bed, rocking Mack in his arms, the concern riddling his expression.  “Are you sure it’s safe?”

“I don’t have a choice.  The baby is hungry.  She can’t go all night without a bottle.”  I walk over to him.  “Give me the gun."

He does it, like he’s glad to be rid of the thing, and I tuck it into the front of my pants, covering the handle with my shirt as best I can.

“Block the door off with the dresser.  I’ll knock three times when I’ve come back.  Look out the peephole anyway, all right?”

He leans in, and grabs my lips with his.  “Please be careful," he whispers.

“I…”I pull back and lick my lips, remembering his proposal to me in the car hours ago.  I can’t even think about that as a possibility right now, because we’re so far from everything we know, and we’re completely alone.  “I’ll be back as soon as I can.”  I leave the remote beside him on the bed, and head for the door.  He turns the television on before I can get outside, probably for comfort more than anything.

But I wish he hadn’t.

“I just don’t know what to do.  I—I kissed him goodbye this morning, and…and I talked to him during the day. Now he’s just gone, and my baby…Oh God…”

Hannah.

I whirl around and face the television.  The picture is blurry but it doesn’t matter.  It’s definitely her.

Flash to a photo of a devastatingly handsome Justin holding a newborn Mackayla in his arms.

“Justin Timberlake, one of the most esteemed lawyers in the New York legal world, is to be wed to Monroe later this month.  Their daughter, Mackayla Brianne Timberlake, has just turned five months old.  If you have any information on their whereabouts, please contact the NYPD…”

“Shit.”


I look back at Justin when he says it. “It was inevitable.”

“We feel that Justin and Mackayla are in immediate danger.” The police commissioner states as various flashes go off in his face.  

Then my face appears on the screen.  My mug shot, from when I was arrested for what happened to Tad.

“Miss Dawson is to be considered armed and dangerous.  She should not be approached by anyone other than law enforcement personnel. If you have information on her whereabouts, we encourage you to contact your local law enforcement or the NYPD.”

Cut back to Hannah, surrounded by press, the reporters shouting, begging her for one statement.

“Maggie, I just…I just want to say…” she sobs.  “Please don’t hurt my Mackayla, or Justin.  Please just let them come home safe.”

“She’s pinning this on you.”  Justin snaps, angrily.

Mackayla screams and cries.

“Did you really think she wouldn’t?  I’m sure right after she found out you were missing with the baby, she sent someone to my place.”

“If they catch us, they’ll arrest you,” he murmurs.  “You’ll be charged with kidnapping, Mags.”

“Yeah.”  I snatch my purse.  “They have to catch us first though, don’t they?”

He sighs a little.  “Yeah, they do.  But we’re not going to let them.”

“No, we aren’t.”  I shake my head, determined.  “Don’t let anyone in here. I don’t care who it is.  I’m going to the store.  We might have to leave when I get back.  I don’t know if that clerk in the office will realize who he just checked in.”

“Hurry.”

It’s the last thing I hear, before I walk back out into the night.

*****************

December 9, 2017

10:00pm

Walmart Super-center

1851 W Main St, Salem VA 24153

Thank God for Walmart.  We’re far enough south that there is a huge twenty four hour operation just a couple of miles from the motel, and despite the fact that I haven’t shopped here in years, I’ve never been more thankful for anything in my life.

I’ve gotten us enough clothes to last through the duration of the trip.  Four cases of soy formula, and some infant over the counter asthma medication that will have to replace Makayla's prescription when it runs out.  I’ve also decided to dress her as a boy from here on out.  She’s still young enough where a disguise will work nicely, and I’m praying that it will deter any suspicion as we make our way closer to the border.  I’ve gotten a few wigs and fake beards for Justin, as well as a hair dye and hair cutting kit for myself.  Of course I’ve stocked up on some quick non perishable snacks and plenty of water.

I think I’ve done well for us.

It’s getting out of here that I’m worried about.

I pick a floppy hat out of the apparel section, and some sunglasses, take the tags off and put them both on as I head up to the register.  I'm almost there.  Almost out.  Almost back to Justin and Mack.

"How you doing Nancy?"

The police officer puts a few items on the conveyor for the cashier to ring up for him.  He's standing right in front of me.  I'm next in line.  My heart stops.  I feel myself stop breathing for just moments, but force myself to snap out of it and remain calm.  We're in Virginia.  I tell myself that law enforcement out here in the sticks won't be scoping us out just yet.  I'm sure they don't think we've made it all the way here, that we're too stupid, that we're hiding just outside the city.  

He doesn't recognize you

I keep repeating it in my mind, over and over, as the officer continues to make small talk with the cashier.  He's laughing about some story she's telling him about her kids. Obviously, he's the usual night patrol officer.  

I'm completely silent, praying to God that I get out of here without being recognized.

"You hear Hannah Monroe's family has gone missing, Earl?" Nancy says to the officer with wide eyes.  "Unbelievable.  I'm praying for that baby.  I just love watching her in the mornings.  That sweet girl doesn't deserve this."

I want to hurl.

Hannah deserves everything, and then some.

"Yeah, we got an alert earlier about that," Earl tells her.  "Of course we're on the lookout, but I don't see why in hell they would be in Salem."

"That woman that took them is the devil.  She tried to kill her husband you know...got off on a technicality..."

I stand there, frozen in my spot as they continue to make small talk about my personal life.  If I could, I'd dump the cart and get the hell out of here, but I feel like that would arouse Earl's suspicions since I've been standing here for twenty minutes.

Shit, shit, shit.

I'm trapped.

I think about Justin.  About what he would have to do if I was suddenly arrested.  He wouldn't know, because I wouldn't be able to tell him, but I hope he would be smart enough to get himself to the border on his own.

I really don't know if he could do it alone though.  I have the car.  What would he do?

"Oh, I'm sorry ma'am."

Earl turns to me with a smile, apologizing for keeping me waiting while he was carrying on.

"No problem."  I flash him a simple smile and push my cart up to the conveyor.

"Kind of dark for sunglasses, ain't it?"  Earl narrows his eyes slightly.

He's suspicious but he's not sure what to be suspicious of, because he hasn't made me yet.

"Oh..."  I start loading my items up on the belt and quickly think of an excuse.  "I had that Lasik surgery a couple of days ago.  The light is still hurting my eyes." I say it in my best southern drawl.  "My gosh, I must look like some kind of fool."

"My sister had that surgery," Nancy carries on as she swipes my items across her scan pad.  "Couldn't see for a week straight.  I'm telling you Earl, I'll just keep my glasses.  Don't need my eyeballs fallin' out or some crazy hoopla."

Her comments distract Earl, and he begins to chuckle.  "Nancy you make my nights worth it.  I'll see you tomorrow night.  You uh...just be careful outside, ma'am."  He nods at me.

"Oh, thank you officer," I give him my most lady like smile.  "I'll walk slow."  

He leaves.  My heartbeat returns to normal, and I shove everything else in my cart onto the conveyor, my mind screaming at Nancy to scan my purchase faster than a snail, but my expression never giving my feelings away.

I pay for everything, and walk faster than I probably should out of the store, vowing not to come back.  We're leaving tonight.  We have to.  If an officer in the sticks already knows that we're on the run, there's no telling how soon it will be before Hannah's goons make it here, or the NYPD/FBI/whoever else she's gotten to do her bidding for her.

Once in the lot, I start putting everything in the trunk of my car, but can't help but feel that I'm being watched.  I glance back over my shoulder, and there, in the distance, is Earl.  I can't tell if he's watching me to make sure I get out of here okay, or for another reason.  I slow my movements, putting everything in the car casually, and get into the drivers seat as calmly as I can.  I start up the car.

His lights begin to flash.

Fuck.

I grip the steering wheel tightly, only then remembering the gun in my pants.

My god, would I really shoot a cop to protect Justin and Mack?

I would.  That's what scares me.

Earl slowly pulls his car up to my drivers side, and motions me to roll down my window.  I do it without hesitation, and smile over at him.  "I got out okay, officer."

He nods slightly, staring at me for another moment or two.  "I just can't help but think that I know you from somewhere."

"Me?" I giggle stupidly, while my heart races.  "You know, I get that a lot."

He chuckles.  "It's probably nothin'.  Maybe it's' just because I don't see many pretty ladies walking into our Walmart these days.  In the sticks, little things make my night."

I giggle again.  "Oh Earl, you're too much."

He smiles.  He's forgotten why he was suspicious.  "You get home safe, ma'am."

"Oh I will.  Maybe I'll see you tomorrow night?"

He nods.  "I'll look forward to it.  Night."

He drives off.  Once I'm certain he's out of site I yank off the floppy hat and sunglasses, pressing my face against the steering wheel, trying to calm my racing heart.  The tears come, mostly from stress, and I sob a little.  I know I can't be this way when I get back. All that will do is drive Justin into a panic, and he can't afford it at this point.  

I was so scared.  

But I was so calm.

I'm proud I guess, but I don't know how well I would hold myself together if this happened again.

Twenty minutes later I'm back at the motel.  I grab a can of formula and a few other things we'll need tonight, before I knock on the door three times.  A shirtless Justin eventually opens the door a crack, the chain lock separating us.

"What's wrong?"

He knows me too well

"Nothing just...let me in, quick." 

He does it, the fear in his eyes apparent.

"Mags?"

Mackayla is still screaming, so I quickly get to work, opening the formula and digging out the bottle and warmer from the small bag Justin brought with him to the office today.  "It's fine, just...let's get her fed, all right?"

"Something happened."  

I say nothing.

"Maggie."

I whirl around, bottle in one hand, formula can in the other.  "Justin, shut up okay!  I'm at my breaking point and I need you to back off!"

He stares at me, his expression turning from fear and worry to sadness in an instant.  He crosses his arms. "All right."  He sits down on the bed, and won't look at me, just at the muted television.

I feel horrible.

I prepare the formula in silence,and test it on my wrist before I pick Mack up into my arms and begin to feed her the bottle.  She screams for a bit, but eventually, she takes the bottle and quiets down.  I can't help but smile as I watch her.  Her eyes are Justin's eyes, and they bring me a small comfort. Once the bottle is finished, I sit on the second twin bed, cradling Mack in my arms, humming gently as she drifts off to sleep with a pacifier in her mouth.  I give her a light kiss on the forehead, and whisper that I love her in her tiny ear.  I'm not sure why.  I guess...I might be starting to care about her like she's my own. 

"She's beautiful when she sleeps."

Justin says it softly, and when I look over at him, he's gazing at Mack, not at me.  

"She is."  I stroke her hair and forehead softly.

"I've never really been able to watch her sleep before.  It's nice, you know?"

I place her down on the bed, gently, and turn back to him.  "I shouldn't have yelled at you."

"I don't blame you."

I go sit beside him, and soon enough, he takes my hand in his, and gives me a light kiss, waiting for me to tell him what happened at the store.

"There was a cop...at the Walmart.  He was talking to the cashier about us, and for a minute, I thought he was going to make me."  I look into his eyes, feeling the tears pushing from behind my own.  "I thought...I thought something was going to happen, and you would be stuck here alone.  I was scared...I was so scared, Justin."

"Hey."  He pulls me down into him, and wraps me in his arms.

I can't help it, I burst into tears.

"Shh, Mags.  It's fine.  You're here...it's okay."  He presses his lips to the top of my head.  "I'm sorry.  I should have been the one to go."

"No, I had to do it," I sob.  "They would have made you in a second." 

"I love you for doing this...hey...Mags," he pulls back slightly, and tilts my head up with his hand to meet his gaze.  "I love you for this.  You're sacrificing everything.  Your life was back to normal, and you were doing well.  You gave it up for us, and...I couldn't love you any more for that."

"I can't yell at you like that.  It's not helping things."

"I probably would have done the same, or worse.  You know me."  He laughs a little bit, and then his expression grows serious again.  "We're going to make it, Mags.  I know we are."

I nod a little.  After the episode with Earl, I have my doubts, but I can't...I can't think that way.  I have to be strong for him, for Mack, because it's keeping him strong for me.  "We can't stay here," I whisper.

"I know."

"It's seven hours to Tennessee."

He squeezes my hand.  "I'll drive."

"You don't..."

"Mags."  He smiles gently.  "I'll drive."

And I know I won't be able to talk him out of it.  Besides, I haven't slept...at all, so it might be the safer play.  

"C'mon, you need a shower."  He gets up and pulls me to my feet, leading me into the closet sized bathroom, where he starts running the water, and setting up a few towels and wash cloths for me.

Despite everything, he's still managing to take care of me.  

"I love you." I tell him, as he turns back from the tub.  

He smiles.  "Me too."  

He walks towards me, and pulls my shirt up over my head, kissing my neck as he removes my bra, and kisses my shoulders, my arms, my bare stomach.  He slides my pants and underwear off, and then takes off the rest of his clothes, and pulls me into the running shower with him.  We make love like that, underneath the hot spray of the shower, and I realize more than ever how much my body has longed for him.

How, with every passing day, I've missed him more and more.

After, he wraps me in a towel and helps me get my clothes back on once we're out in the main room again.  Mack is still sound asleep, and I breathe out a relieved sigh.

"You ready to go?"

He's serious again, and I know I have to be too.

"Yeah."

Chapter 35 by ialwayzbesingin

December 10, 2017

7:30 am

Waffle House

2321 TN-46, Dickson, TN 37055

1198 miles to the border

I drove all through the night.  It was almost therapeutic, got my mind off Hannah, and the fact that Fitz and his goons were surely on the road by now, trying to hunt us down.  At certain points I couldn’t help but glance in the rearview, searching for a car following me too closely, or the flashing lights of a squad car, but none ever came, and that told me that we haven’t been discovered, so far.  Maggie slept in the back of the Toyota, next to Mack, who had finally been put into her carseat before we left the motel in Virginia.  The baby slept on and off through the night, cooing and giggling at some points, which allowed me to speak softly to her in return, and that kept me awake more than anything else.

Maggie slept straight through the night, as if she hadn’t slept in years, but I don’t blame her.  She was scared and stressed, and probably still will be when she wakes up. I never want her to feel that way again.  If anything, I should be the one burdened with stress and worry.  I should be the one that takes care of her, because she’s put it all on the line for me and my daughter.

I don’t think I’ll ever be able to do enough to repay her, but I’ll do anything to protect her.

“Mags.”  I turn off the engine and roll my head around, hearing my neck pop in five different places.  “Maggie?”

“Wha—“ She jolts upright, and I watch her immediately check the baby before giving me a wide eyed stare in the rearview mirror.  “What’s wrong? What happened?”

“No…nothings wrong.  I just wanted you to know that we’re here.  We’re about forty five minutes outside of Nashville.  I figured this would be a good place to stop.  There’s a motel across the street.  It’s pretty nondescript, but also a dump.  I figured that was what you were going for.”

She glances out her window at the huge yellow Waffle House sign looming above us, and out the back windshield so she can look across the street.  “It’s a truckers strip.  It should be fine.  Good job.” She smirks at me slightly.  

I smile back, and yawn loudly as I stretch out my arms.  “I’m cramped and starved.”

She sighs a little.  “Me too.  Let’s get some breakfast.”

Maggie changed Mack into a baby boy outfit before we left the motel, complete with a little blue ball cap.  You wouldn’t be able to tell that Mack was a girl unless you knew her, or took off her clothes, neither of which is a possibility for the people around here.  I have to admit, Maggie really did think of every possible scenario, and I’m so thankful to have her with me.

Touching her last night was rejuvenating.  I missed her, her body, the way her hair smells, how it feels in my hands.  How silky and perfect her skin is.  I missed her laugh, and the way she could hold me in her arms and make every single thing wrong with my life completely fade away.

I never want to let her go again.

Maggie pulls on her floppy hat and sunglasses, and hands me a ball cap and my own pair of shades as well.  I put them both on before we get out of the car, and Maggie gets Mackayla out of her carseat.

“Call the baby Nelson,” she tells me quietly as we walk toward the restaurant’s entrance.  “You’re Timothy Greenburg and I’m your wife, Ashley.  Those are the names I put on the passports and licenses.  Can you remember?”

“Timothy?” I scrunch up my nose.  “Mags, that’s terrible.”

“Justin, really?”

I laugh.  “I got it.  Timothy, Ashley, and Nelson.” I lean in close to her.

 “I would never name my son Nelson, just for future reference.”

“Noted.”  

She nudges me slightly, as I guide her through the door by the small of her back, and for that brief moment, I almost feel normal again.

“How y’all doin’?” 

The waitress greets us with a comforting smile, and pulls a high chair up to the edge of the table when we choose a booth at the back of the diner.  

“Just fine, thank you.”

Maggie has the most believable southern accent I’ve ever heard.  

“What a cute little darlin'.’” The waitress pinches Mack’s cheeks and she giggles, delighted.  “How old is he?”

“Seven months.”  Maggie says it quickly, not daring to glance in my direction.  

“Ya’ll know what you want to eat?”

“Coffee, and we’ll split a stack of pancakes,” I tell her.  “We just need some hot water for the baby’s bottle.”

“Comin’ right up.”  She smiles once more, and hurries away.  

“You never told me you could talk like that.” I lean in towards her and smile mischievously.

“I’m full of surprises.”  She adjusts Mack in the high chair and smiles, tickling her under the chin a little bit.  

“Can you talk like that in bed later?”

Her eyes narrow as she digs the can of formula out of her purse.

 “You’re really going to focus on that now?”

“Yes.”

“Only you.” She rolls her eyes.

“You love me.”

Her cheeks turn a slight shade of pink.  “Yeah, you’re right.”

We share a brief kiss.

Then, our precious few moments of normalcy fade away.

The sound of the television gets louder, and I glance up to see my own face staring back at me.  Another news report about us is blaring loudly throughout the restaurant, and I can see half the staff, including our waitress, watching intently.

“Fuck.”  It’s barely a whisper.

Mags glances over her shoulder, and sinks down low into the booth when she realizes what’s going on.  I follow her lead, but continue to watch the story unfolding before my eyes.  BREAKING NEWS scrolls along the bottom of the screen in large red capital letters, and the news anchor speaks about the story while the network continues to flash my picture, Macks picture, and Maggies picture across the screen.

“…missing since yesterday afternoon.  Authorities have reason to believe that Maggie Dawson, former attorney and friend to Hannah Monroe is behind the disappearance, keeping Justin and baby daughter, Mackayala Brianne, against their will. Just minutes ago, we were informed that authorities discovered a body while searching Miss Dawsons apartment building in the early morning hours, but they will not disclose further details at this time.”

Maggie meets my gaze with terrified eyes.  She doesn’t need to say anything.  I know we have to leave.

I move quickly, grabbing Mack from her high chair as Maggie slides out of her seat.

I catch the eyes of the waitress.  She’s staring at us suddenly, frozen in her place behind the counter, pot of coffee in one hand and our pancakes in the other.

She knows.

“Run.”  I hiss it at Mags.  “Maggie, run!”

She bolts out the door.  Right before I can get through I see another waitress speaking on the phone and staring out the window, writing something down on a notepad and repeating it back to whoever is on the other end of the line.  I’d be stupid if I didn’t think she was speaking to the police, and telling them the make and model of the car we’re driving, plus the plate number. 

This can’t get any worse.

Mack starts to wail as I make it through the door and out of the restaurant.  She’s starving, but it will have to wait.  I run to the car, nearly stumbling once or twice, but hanging on to my kid for dear life as I make it into the car.  There’s no time for the carseat, I’ll just have to hold onto her as best I can.

The sirens come all too quickly, distant at first, but they grow louder in seconds.

Maggie pants harshly as she turns the engine over, and then we speed out of the lot, tires screeching, nearly hitting a car that’s pulling in, but not quite.  We get out to the road, and Mackayla screams louder, because she’s frightened. 

I look back over my shoulder, and I see flashing lights in the distance. Squad cars, at least three of them, gaining on us.

“Go faster!”

“I’m going as fast as I can!”  She stares ahead intensely, gripping the steering wheel so her knuckles turn a bright shade of white.  

The speedometer climbs, 70…80…90… 

Maggie takes a sudden turn onto a dirt road as the police begin to creep closer, and it’s just in time.  She pulls the car into some tall grass and cuts the engine.  We wait, with labored breath, as the three squad cars whiz by, sirens wailing.

They’ve lost us, for the moment.

“Holy fuck, Justin.”  Maggie runs her hands through her hair and leans her elbows on the steering wheel.  

“They know the plate,” I murmur, holding Mack close to my chest as I try to calm her cries.  “I saw one of the waitresses writing it down.”

“I’ll take it off.  We can find another one.” She won’t look at me.

“They know the make of the car.”

“So we’ll get another one.”

I’m silent, for the first time, truly terrified that we could be caught in just a few hours.

“We shouldn’t have stopped for breakfast,” I say quietly.  “It’s my fault.”

“You couldn’t have known that would happen.”

“Right, but I should have been more careful.”

“It’s done.” She grunts.  “There’s nothing we can do now but regroup and figure out the next part of the plan, all right?”

“Fitz and his guys will be in this area in less than twenty four hours the minute they hear we’ve been spotted,” I say quietly.  “I say we push through and drive the next eighteen hours without stops.”

“That’s crazy with a baby to take care of.”

“But it’s logical.  If we stop, who knows how much time they’ll gain on us?”

“You know what isn’t logical? Trying to cross the Mexican border with a sick baby. I’m not going to chance it, Justin.  We’ll just have to move on to the next stopping point, and lay low for twenty four hours.  We have enough supplies to get us through without having to go to a store or order food."

She's right, and I know better than to continue to fight her on the subject.  Trying to cross the border in eighteen straight hours might work if it was just the two of us, but it's not.  Mack's needs have to come first.  That means diaper changes, feedings, and a warm motel room at night.  "I'm sorry."

"No."  She shakes her head, and smooths her hair back one more time, before sitting up straight in the seat again.  "Don't be.  That was a close call, and you have every right to be paranoid.  Let's just get Mack fed and into her car seat, so we can get on the road.  Arkansas is about seven hours from here.  We'll find a place there, and make a rest stop about halfway through the drive so we can get gas and Mack can get a diaper change."  


She reaches across me, and opens the glove box, retrieving the gun and tucking it into the front of her pants before cautiously getting out of the car again.  I hold Mack tighter to me.  She's quiet now, her tiny, rhythmic breaths letting me know that she's tired herself into a nap.  I kiss the top of her head, close my eyes, and say a silent prayer to keep her safe, and with us.  Maggie returns quickly, with a bag of food items and water.  She mixes Mack a cold bottle of formula, and even though Mack is slightly fussy about it, she takes it anyway, probably because she's too hungry to care at the moment.  

We're on the road within minutes once Mack is secured in her car seat, and we share a breakfast of Granola bars, trail mix, chips, cookies and water as Maggie drives down the interstate.  As much as we don't want to, we can't resist keeping the radio turned to national news, listening for any updates to our story.  

It doesn't take long for us to get one.

"Authorities have revealed the identity of the body discovered in Maggie Dawson's apartment early this morning.  Shelby Hudson, Justin Timberlake's personal secretary, was discovered in a basement storage area of Maggie Dawson's apartment building.  Authorities report Miss Hudson was shot in the back of the head at point blank range, and are asking any witnesses to come forward at this time."  

"Oh God."  Maggie covers her mouth, but maintains her focus on the road, despite the heavy flow of tears streaming down her face.

My body goes numb.  I stare straight ahead, jaw hanging open, not having a clue what to do.  I feel helpless.  She helped us.  She put any risk she might be taking on the back burner, all so we could get out of the city.

Now she's dead because of it.

"I...I never should have...I never should have involved her," Maggie whimpers.  "I killed her."

"You didn't." I shake my head roughly.  "We couldn't have known..."

"I put her life in danger the minute I asked her to help us!  Hannah got to her, and whether she did or didn't get the information she wanted, she killed her anyway!  She knew we would find out!"

"She thinks it will make us turn back."  I won't look at her.  I can't.  I'll lose my mind.

"Maybe we should."

I don't say anything.  Part of me wants to agree with her.  But we've already come this far.  Going back to New York is surely a death sentence for Maggie, and a life of imprisonment in Hannah's home for me and the baby.  

"What will that do for us?" I finally ask.  "I don't think Shelby would want us to turn back now, do you?"

"She wouldn't have wanted to die for us, Justin."

I stare out the window now, letting the first tears escape my eyes.  Yes, I want to blame myself.  Yes, I'd rather go back home and mourn for our friend, but I know it's not the right choice.  We still have a chance to live, to escape Hannah.  "We have to keep going, Mags.  Going back is a death sentence."

It takes her a really long time.  "Yeah.  I know that."  She sniffles and seems to pull her emotions together.  "Hannah will pay for this, eventually.  Promise me, Justin.  Promise that you'll help me fight to get Shelby justice."

I look back over at Maggie, her beautiful face is still streaked with tears, but the strength has returned to her eyes.  "I'll do whatever it takes, once we're safe.  You have my word."

She stares at me.  I can tell she wants to crumble, to curl inside herself and never come out again, but she won't do allow herself to do it, not just yet.  "I don't know how much longer I can stay this strong."

I take her free hand in mine, and lace my fingers through hers.  "So let me take over."

She presses her lips together.  "I'm so scared of what's going to be waiting at the border, Justin.  For all we know, they've already figured out where we're headed.  What if we get there and get captured anyway?"

"You can't think that way."

"But it's a strong possibility."

"We have to dump this car.  Once we do that, they'll have a harder time tracking us down."

"The only way we're going to be able to walk into a dealership without being recognized, is if we do some serious makeover work.  I'll have to cut my hair off and dye it, and you're going to have to figure out how to use those fake beards and wigs to your advantage.  It should be so Hannah wouldn't even recognize you."  She sighs.  "We'll figure it out when we get to Arkansas."  She reaches over and turns off the radio.  "I don't want to hear anymore about it for now.  I have to clear my head."
I bring her hand up to my lips and kiss it gently, trying to give her as much comfort as possible.

But it doesn't seem to change her mood at all.  

I know that no amount of affection is going to make her stop worrying now though.  It's gotten entirely too intense, and I start to feel sick thinking about Shelby.  That she gave her life to keep us safe, because I doubt she gave Hannah the information she wanted to hear.  If anything, Shelby bought us more time by keeping silent, but I know how persistent Hannah can be when she wants something bad enough.

I know she'll stop at nothing to catch up with us, or kill us, whichever one comes first.

Chapter 36 by ialwayzbesingin

December 10, 2017

4:00 pm

Relax Inn

1100 North Constitution Ave, Ashdown, AR 71822

759 miles to the border

We're just twelve hours from the Mexican border.  At this point, timing and planning are everything.  One small mistake could cost us the rest of our lives, and I'm surprised that I'm not a complete basket case by this point in our journey, but then again, I've been pretty numb since this morning.  I'm still function of course, but it's almost robotic, my motions, the way I drive, and the way I respond to Mack's cries of hunger.  My mind doesn't drift, doesn't linger, just forces me to do the tasks because we have no choices.  

I spent the first few minutes after we arrived here, taking the plates off the car.  After our twenty four hour incubation period, we'll look for another car, and be on our way. 

That's the plan anyway. 

Shelby was such a loyal friend.  Even when she worked for me, she would have done anything I asked of her.  When I came to her that night, asking for her help, she didn't hesitate for a second.  She didn't care what it could mean, or how much danger she might be in once we were gone.  All she cared about was making sure that the three of us got out of the city, and to safety.  She would have done anything to make sure it happened.  It was a selfless favor that I knew could never be repaid.

She didn't deserve to die.

I want to blame myself.  I know I wasn't there to protect her, and I should have been.  I should have made sure she was safe before we left, but how? We had to leave, couldn't spare even one minute more in the city, and I wasn't even thinking about her safety at the time.  She didn't want me to worry about it.  She had told me the previous night at dinner to concentrate on myself, and Justin.  That she would handle it.  

If I could go back in time, I would have forced her to come with us.

But I can't do that.  I can't do anything.  I'm helpless.

I have to accept it, swallow the hurt, and press on.

I take the towel off my head and remove the plastic bag covering my hair.  I run my hands through my short boy cut, the golden blond blades slipping quickly through my fingers.  I stare at myself in the grimy mirror.  It's definitely not the same person staring back at me.  All my life, I've savored my long dark hair.  When I was little, my mother wouldn't dream of cutting it, just grooming the split ends until I was in high school and insisted having it cut to just past my shoulders.  That's how it's been ever since, until today.  I look like one of those hippy NYU students I pass frequently in Central Park on a sunny day, sipping Starbucks and smoking something in the form of a cigarette with her friends.  

"You know, it kind of suits you."  Justin leans up against the doorframe and smiles at me through the mirror.  "I like it."

He looks like some kind of deranged biker, with the fake scruffy beard and sideburns covering his face, and the scraggly long brown haired wig to match.  I told him to make himself as unrecognizable as possible, and he definitely met that challenge.  He's eons away from that clean cut, pretty boy lawyer from midtown Manhattan, and I'm praying it's enough to get us across the border.   

Once we're there, I'm planning to simply slip away into the anonymity of South America.  With so much rural land, and a lax government, it's easy to do.  I'm hoping to get a place off the beaten path, hide out for at least a year, and then figure out what we want to do.  It's a safe plan, a sure fire way of getting Hannah off our trail.  Crossing into the country is going to be the hardest part, and with the entire state of Texas still left to cross, I know how much risk is going to be involved.  

"Here."  I pick up the Polaroid camera that I purchased from Walmart and motion Justin over to the blank, urine colored bathroom wall.  "I have to take this picture to glue onto the passport."

He does it without a question, and I snap two pictures, the better of which I'll use to complete the phony passport I had made for him.  I make him take a picture of me too, the same way, and then I get down to work while Justin gives Mack her second bottle of the day.  I refused to turn the news on again the entire trip here, and now that we have a television, I've calmly asked Justin to defer from any news channels. Seeing the updates and hearing how the police are tracking us, makes me lose hope.

I can't lose hope.

"Mags."

I'm nearly finished gluing my own picture to my passport, quite happy with the results of Justin's, when I hear his voice.  I slowly approach the bathroom doorway, and see the worry all over his camouflaged face as he holds Mack in his arms.  "What's wrong?"

"She's wheezing."

"Give her medicine."

"I did.  Nothing changed.  I don't think this new stuff you have is strong enough."

I can tell by the look on his face, that this isn't good.

What else can possibly go wrong at this junction?  My plan was to stay in this junk room for a day and throw people off our course.

Now Mack is sick.

"What do we do," I croak.

He seems to debate what to say, but then he sighs, and gives in.  "We'll have to take her somewhere."

"We can't disguise her as a boy at a walk in clinic.  They'll figure it out."

He looks at the floor.  Mack's breathing becomes more labored with every passing second.  "I don't know what else to do, Mags."

I shake my head a little, begging myself to think harder, to come up with something.

But I'm not a doctor.

"With our disguises they might not make us."  I nod, trying desperately to make myself believe it.  "We just have to be discreet."

"Right." 

He stares into my eyes and I know he's terrified.

"I'll pack the car."

I know it's no use.  We can't stay here if we're going to take her to a doctors office.  The moment they see us, there's a chance of being recognized, and we have to be ready to get back on the road as soon as possible.

"Dress her in plain clothes."  I call to him twenty minutes later, as I walk out the door with all of our bags in my arms.  "Nothing that will bring attention to who she might be."

"Right."

He starts the work immediately, and Mack seems to get worse as the moments pass.  I know how dire the situation is starting to become, and I rush to pack everything into the car in the matter of a few minutes. We get the baby into her car seat, and Justin drives us away from the safety of the dingy motel.  

"There's an urgent care ten miles away," I say to him, as I thumb through a brochure that talks about local business in the area.  
Justin says nothing, just stares intensely at the road ahead, Mack wheezing and crying in the background.  I know better than to push him, because he hasn't tried to push me since that first night in Virginia. Instead, I direct him to the walk-in medical center, never more thankful when we pull into the lot and Justin turns the engine off.  

"I'll talk.  Nurses are more sympathetic to mothers," I tell him.

"Maggie."  Justin looks over at me, and I think this the most worried I've seen him since we left.  "Please don't let them take her away.  I couldn't live with myself if Hannah got her back.  Please just...be careful."

"I promise."  I grab is hand, and he squeezes mine.  "Come on."

I get Mack out of her car seat.  I try to ignore the fact that she's much worse as we carry her through the doors.  The clinic is sleepy.  One older gentleman sits in the corner, waiting for his appointment, and a bored looking receptionist sits behind a desk.  Good.  Empty is better.

"What can I do for y'all."  She drawls it out, barely looking up at us.

"I think she's having an asthma attack," I say it gently, in my southern twang.  I feel Justin behind me, his hands on my shoulders.  "We ran out of her medication.  No insurance."

She looks up, and studies all of us for a few moments.  "Well, she sounds like it.  Let's get you seen right away."

She's not suspicious.  It's working.

We're escorted into a doctors office and I'm asked to fill out some form. I hand it to Justin once we're alone, and he fills it out with as much bs as he can think of, I'm sure.  The doctor walks in within minutes, and immediately has me hand Mack off to him.  She's still wailing and wheezing, and he takes his time listening to her heart and monitoring her breathing.  

"How old?"  He hands Mack back to me.

"Five months."

I swallow hard and exchange a glance with Justin.

"Well, she's having a mild attack," he nods.  "Says here you ran out ofher medication.  What kind has she been taking?"

I draw a blank.

"Liquid Corticosteroid." 

Thank God Justin is more observant than I am.

"Well, I can give her a dose now, and prescribe more so you're not without it." He fills an eye dropper with the medication and inserts it into Mack's mouth, while I hold her still.  "I'd advise you to admit her to St. Doyle's for the night, just to be safe.  I can call over..."

"Oh no, that won't be necessary."  I manage to get it out without sounding panicked.  "She'll do just fine.  We're almost to grandma's, right sweetheart?" I glance at Justin.

"Right, yeah, we're headed to my mothers."

The doctor narrows his eyes slightly. "How far is that?"

"Houston.  We're heading there right after we leave here," Justin says.  "It's my fault.  I knew she was running out of medication, but I thought we would make it to my moms before this happened."

"Well, I can't exactly stop you." The doctor scribbles out a prescription on his notepad and tears it off, handing it to Justin.  "I'd just advise you to think twice about it.  You don't want to have an emergency when you're in the middle of no where, son."

"Thank you doctor," Justin smiles professionally, and shakes the mans hand.  It's his classic lawyer persona coming out of the woodwork, not something you would expect from a scraggly biker looking guy.  "We'll take good care of her."

He sighs, gives Mack one more glance, and then leaves us.

I have no idea what was running through his mind.  Was he trying to stall us because he figured us out, or was he simply concerned for Mack's well being?

I don't know, but we can't stick around to find out.

"Let's go."

Justin says it before I can, and then he takes me by the hand as I cradle Mack in the crook of my other arm, and we walk back into the lobby together.  The receptionist has us pay her for the visit, and then we're back outside again.  I let out the breath I was holding, but it may have been too soon.  Justin is staring off to the side, and he pulls me behind him protectively.

"That doctor is on the phone," he whispers. 

I glance in the same direction as Justin.  Sure enough, the doctor is there, staring at our car, talking into his phone in a harsh whisper.

"I think it's them," I hear the doctor say.  "I can't be entirely sure, but the car is the same.  No plates though.  I'm sure they took them off. You saw the newscast, they said to be on the lookout for that sort of thing."

"Do you have the gun?" Justin asks me.

"Yeah."

"Give it to me."

"What are you gonna do?"

He stares at me for a moment.  "Do you trust me?"

"Of course."

"Then just go to the car.  I promise...I won't hurt him, I just want to scare him."

I believe him, because I know Justin is too smart, and too kind to shoot someone for a reason like this.  If the doctor was threatening me or the baby or himself, sure.  But he's not.  He's just doing what the media has told him to do, just like anyone else would.

I go to the car and get Mack settled in her car seat before I get into the drivers side.  When I look back over my shoulder I see Justin has the doctor pressed up against the building, gun to his head.  I start up the car and look on, hoping he can wrap this up soon.  There's no telling who the Doctor called, or if they're on the way to get us.

Justin is running towards me soon enough, and I pull forward, reaching over to open the passenger door so he can simply jump inside.

Then a loud pop ripples through the air, shaking me to the core.  For a moment it's surreal.  The blood stain starts out small, right at his shoulder blade, then it expands, and the blood starts to seep through the fabric and down his arm.  He stares at me, almost too shocked to believe it himself.  I reach out for him, and he reaches his hand out, his breathing labored.

"Justin!"

He slumps against the car and falls to the ground.

I scream, thrusting open my door and running to his side.  Justin is clutching his shoulder where the bullet has hit him, and as I glance back, I can see that receptionist standing in the open door way, shot gun in hand, ready to take another strike at us.  Obviously people are ready to defend themselves around here.

I wish we'd been smarter.

"Leave me here," Justin whimpers.  "Just get Mack out."

"I'm not leaving you."  The tears stream down my face, and I clutch his hand in mine, putting my free hand on top of the wound and pressing slightly, trying to stop the blood, but it just seeps through my fingers and Justin screams. 

"I'm...shh...I'm sorry," I sob, stroking his hair.  "I'm sorry." 

"I'm no good hurt...Mags..." He takes a large breath.  "...just go."

"No!"  I scream it at him, and throw his good arm over my shoulder so I can help him to his feet and into the car.  He's bleeding all over me now, and I'm scared out of my mind, but I do my best to take even breaths so I can keep us both calm.  Finally, I get him in the seat.  I take the gun from him and close the door, keeping my finger on the trigger as I point it at the receptionist.  She doesn't shoot me.  I think she's too scared at this point.

It buys me enough time to get into the car and peel out onto the road.  I look over at Justin.  He's still clutching his shoulder, holding back his groans as best he can, but I can tell he's losing a lot of blood...very quickly.

"We have to stop...Justin...we have to stop the bleeding."

He looks at me, but can't seem to get the words out, he's in too much pain.  Quickly, I remove my tank top, leaving me in just a bra and my jeans.  "Here, tie this around your shoulder.  Make sure you pull it tight, Justin."

He seems to channel all his energy into this one simple task.  He pulls the tank in a knot around the wound, and pulls it tightly together with his teeth, panting once it's done. 

"We'll get somewhere so I can clean it.  Do you think the bullet is still inside?"

My hands are shaking.  I can barely hold the steering wheel straight.  Mack is screaming again too, but I can't blame her.

He gazes at me, exhausted now.  "I can't tell."

I squeeze his thigh.  "Just hang on for me, okay?  Please, Justin, I can't do this without you.  We've come too far."

"I'll hang on, for you Mags.  Always for you."

He smiles slightly, and then he passes out

Chapter 37 by ialwayzbesingin

It's like hot white fire ripping through my arm, spreading through my body, right down to the tips of my toes. 

I don't know how long it's been since the bullet hit.  I know I've blacked out a few times.


I don't know where we are.  What time it is.  What day it is.


"Hold still."


I'm on a bed, stomach side down, my chin resting on a pillow.  I know Mags is straddling me, her hands putting a lot of pressure on the wound.  Somewhere, seemingly far away, my baby daughter is crying.


I can't help her.


"Mack..." 


"She's just cranky.  I need you to relax Justin.  Open your mouth."

I do it.  It seems to take forever.  She puts a wad of cloth inside my mouth, and I'm not confused.  I'm just more delirious than I was before.

"This is going to hurt, Justin," she whispers.  "A lot.  The bullet is still inside you and...I have to take it out or you'll get a really bad infection, okay?  You have to bite down on the cloth when I go in to get it.  You could hurt yourself otherwise."

There's a bubbling kettle of water right next to the bed.  The water vapor is soothing, curling and swirling and disappearing into the ceiling.  It occurs to me that I barely heard what she just said to me.  "Mmhm."

I see her stick some kind of metal tool inside the kettle and back out again awhile later.

And then, shit, I've never felt such terrible pain in my life.  Not even when my heart was bad.

I scream into the cloth, and bite down harshly.  The tears and sweat drip down my face, and I try to beg her to stop, but I can't get the words out, so I just sob and groan.

"I'm sorry," she whimpers.  "I...I got it out.  I'm going to stitch up your shoulder, so...so just keep the cloth in your mouth, because it's going to sting a lot.  I'll try to numb the pain with rubbing alcohol."

Clink, goes the bullet into the glass on the nightstand.  Then I feel something sharp and long puncturing my skin.  I look back slightly, my tears blurring my vision.  I see the needle and thread and the blood on Mags hands.

I love her so much.

I pass out.

************

December 10, 2017

10:00 pm

TexInn Motel New Boston

 906 North Mccoy Blvd, New Boston, TX 75570 

727 miles to the border

We crossed the Texas border, but we're still only forty minutes away from where we started in Arkansas.  It may as well be another world though.  It's still a dump here of course, but a little bigger, and a little cleaner, which is important for Justin and why I picked it to begin with.
There isn't much furniture in here, but the extra bed and the dresser have both been shoved up against the door.  The blinds are drawn and I've only kept one light on at a time.  I made sure to bring everything in from the car, once I was able to get Justin's bleeding under control, and I parked it far from our room, under a tree, where it was less noticeable.  I don't plan on leaving for at least twenty four hours, and it's not like Justin will be well enough for travel tomorrow anyway.  I went buck wild shopping in that Walmart in Virginia and we have everything we need, including first aid supplies, even a hot water kettle, which I had originally debated about but bought anyway. It's a good thing I did.

It's been a key factor in saving Justin's life.

No, I'm not a doctor.  I had first aid training back in high school, but it never prepared me for something like this.  I acted on instinct I guess.  My first aid kit included forceps, and I knew if I sterilized them properly I could probably get the bullet out of Justin's shoulder.  I knew there were no choices.  The moment I laid him down on the bed, and got his bleeding somewhat under control, I could tell his wound was quickly becoming infected, and he wouldn't last the night unless I took action.  A hospital was out, for obvious reasons.  I knew if we wanted to push on, stay alive, and away from Hannah, I was going to have to fix Justin myself.  There were risks of course, and I knew I could do more damage if I wasn't careful, but it was the only option.

He passed out right after I retrieved the bullet from his shoulder, which I guess was better for him.  He didn't have to endure the rest of it.  The stitches and the dressing of his wound.  I cleaned the wound as best I could as soon as it was stitched up, and I put a triple layer of gauze and bandages around his shoulder before putting his arm into a makeshift sling I formed from the second beds flat sheet.  He slept through it all, and it gave me a chance to crumble a little afterwards.  I took a shower to wash the blood off my body, slid down the wall and wrapped my arms around my knees, sobbing gently, praying that what we were doing was the right thing.  Praying that we would make it across Texas and into Mexico with no more problems. Praying that Mack would be okay and that Justin would recover from his gunshot wound.

I turned on the news, kept it very low as not to wake Justin, or Mackayala who I just got down not too long ago.  I swore I wouldn't watch, but I can't help myself now.  I need to know what they know, where they are, and if we might need to run tomorrow instead of staying cooped up here.

It's all CNN can seem to talk about...us.  My history, Justin's history, Hannah's rise to stardom, Shelby's horrific end.  How evil I am.  They interview Tad tonight.  He doesn't say much, but then again, we had a deal.  Then they cut to the local 'townsfolk'.  They interview the staff at the Waffle House we ran from.  Our waitress in particular just swears she could see the devil inside me the moment we sat down.

"Just moments ago, we learned that the three have been spotted today, at a medical clinic in Arkansas.  Authorities claim, that at least Justin Timberlake has been injured by a gunshot wound, and that he may not be so innocent in all of this after all."

"He just held that gun to my head and told me if I didn't put the phone down he'd kill me right then and there."  The doctor says in a croaky sort of voice.  "I don't see how that girl can be the only fugitive in all this.  It seemed to me like he wanted to run just as bad as she did."

I shut the tv off.

What's our next move? 

They're not here yet, but we're forty minutes away from that clinic.  That means they could get here at any moment, and obviously they're not beneath going door to door and business to business if it means finding us.

My gaze lands on Justin, still fast asleep, pale faced, in no condition to travel.

But we're both fugitives now, according to the press, and I'm sure according to everyone else too.  The only innocent party in this is Mack, which makes us kidnappers.  If they come here, if they find us, it's over.

All over.

Five hours.  He can rest for five more hours, then we can go.

I'm shaking.

"Maggie."  Justin's eyes open a crack and his voice is barely a whisper.  

"It's okay."  I rub his hand gently and then move next to him so I can stroke his face.  "Close your eyes."

"What happened to me?"
He's been delirious for hours, that's apparent now, but I'm almost happy that he doesn't remember.  "You got shot, in the shoulder.  I had to get the bullet out of you...it wasn't the most...pleasant experience for you."

He tries to sit up, and winces in pain.

"Sit back."  I help him back down into his pillows gently.  "You need to rest."

"They must be close to finding us."

I stare at him.  I want to hide it all, tell him that he's wrong, to just go to sleep.

But I can't lie to him.

"They are."

"You can leave me here.  Hannah can do whatever she wants to me.  It's more important that Mack makes it...that you make it, Mags."

"I'm not leaving you."

"Maggie."

"I'm not going to tell you again."

He's silent.

"Five hours.  We can lay low here for five hours,and then we'll leave," I say.

"They're hunting us down right now.  What's five hours going to do?"

He's right.

"I can't risk you getting worse."

"How far are we?"

"Eleven hours out.  700 miles, a little over."

He leans his head back further into the pillows.  "We can do it.  We can drive the whole thing without stops."

"Justin..."

"What's the alternative," he says, weakly.  "Wait here like bait? Get caught? Lose everything?  Maggie...we're so close.  We're right here.  700 miles, baby.  We can do this.  We can cross the border by tomorrow.  We can leave at first light."

"Not in that car.  They know the make."

"Then we steal one, from the lot."

I shake my head. "You're still delirious."

"I'm serious."

He really is, and I know we don't have a lot of choices.  He has a good point.  Sitting here is a trap in itself.  We should try to go, because he's willing to do it, so I need to be as well.  "I don't know the first thing about hot wiring a car."

"This is the sticks.  People leave their keys in their sun visors and the doors unlocked. You're bound to find something.  It's either that or...carjack someone with the gun."

"Now I know you've lost it.  I'm not doing that to someone."

"It might be easier."

"You're crazy."

"I got shot, you dug a bullet out of my shoulder.  Maggie, I think we've surpassed the crazy point of this whole thing already. We're not going to hurt anybody."

"That's what you said when you put the gun to the Doctor's head."

"Well,l didn't hurt him."

"No, you just got shot instead and you're lucky to be alive right now with my stone age surgery techniques.  Do you think people that stay at these places don't carry weapons?"

"Look, just hear me out."

"Seriously, Justin...I..."

"Just listen!" He winces.

"Fine." I cross my arms.

"You take Mack, and ask for directions.  I'll go around to the passenger side, and stick the gun in..."

"Are you hearing yourself!"

"We only have a few hours before they find us, Maggie." He says it seriously, his expression solemn, tired, and hollow.  "If the other cars in the lot happen to be locked, what other options are there? We can't go to a dealership now.  They'll make us in a second."

I sigh deeply.  "I really don't know, Justin.  I just...don't."

"We do it," he tells me.  "We wait here until first light, and then we do it, first car we see at the first public place we come across."

"I..."

"We're doing it.  It's our only chance now."

I back down.  I don't know why.  I guess I'm just so fucking tired that I can't argue anymore.  "Fine. We do it.  First light."

He settles back against the pillows and his eyes close moments later. Soon enough, I do the same.  I settle in beside him, and he puts his good arm around me, kissing my forehead and promising me everything will make sense in the morning as I allow my eyes to close and begin to drift off to sleep.

I really hope he's right.

Chapter 38 by ialwayzbesingin

December 11, 2017
5:00 am

TexInn Motel New Boston

 906 North Mccoy Blvd, New Boston, TX 75570 

727 miles to the border

I barely slept, waking in the middle of the night to a hungry baby.  Justin mumbled something about helping me as I pulled myself from his one armed embrace, but I ignored him, and he passed right out again.  I wouldn't have been able to get back to sleep anyway.  As it was, I had already woken up one too many times, sick with worry about what the new day held for us.

I’ve spent the last few hours going over our inventory, separating what we absolutely need from what we can do without, and consolidated what we’re bringing with us into one medium sized duffle bag and a backpack.  I know we need to be prepared to run before or after crossing the border, and there’s no way we would make it with five bags to carry.  I sacrificed half our clothing supply so we could pack the hot water kettle and all the first aid supplies, plus enough fabric from the flat sheet to create a clean sling for Justin if we need it.  I have half the supply of diapers and wipes, enough to last another few days, and eight cans of soy formula.  The backpack is where I packed all the bottles of water I could, and then most of the granola bars and trail mix.  I’m leaving the junk food behind, because it will do us no good if we’re on foot.  


Of course there’s my supply of cash, and all the paperwork I had to create to get us safely across the border.  I carefully concealed all of it inside a black garbage bag and buried it inside a false compartment in the bottom of the backpack.  In all, I have almost fifty grand with me.
I haven’t talked to Justin about money, but hasn’t questioned me about it either.  He knows I have it…a lot of it, so I guess that’s why he’s not worried.  I know Hannah has all of his, so when I decided to do this, I knew I had to make sure there was no way the Feds or Hannah could gain access to my money.  It was all we were going to have, possibly for years, and I spent a long time securing it, and making certain it would be accessible as soon as we needed to use it.


I created an offshore account under my new alias, Ashley Greenberg, with a bank that I knew was reputable as well as discreet, and within twenty four hours, emptied all of my checking and savings accounts into it.  In all, there’s almost one hundred million dollars, money combined from my salaries over the last few years, and the divorce.  I sold the convertible within hours of making a plan with Justin too, and that’s where all the cash came from. 


I’m praying nothing goes wrong, because if we disappear into Mexico broke, there’s no telling what will happen to us.


Mack starts to whine, and I immediately go and lift her into my arms.  Something starts to hurt inside when I hear her cry now.  I know I'm in too deep, too close to her, would be an absolute wreck if she was taken away from me because I feel like she's mine now.  I try not to think about Hannah's reaction to this...that when Mack is old enough I'm the one she'll call mommy.  Hannah may be a lot of things, but she still gave birth to that baby.


I shake off the guilt.  She wants to kill us.


The bathroom door creaks open, and I glance back at Justin, fresh from the shower, a towel wrapped around his waist.  He had more energy this morning, and despite my protests, he went ahead and took a shower without my help, taking care to keep his wound covered and away from the spray of the water.


"She okay?"  His tone if full of concern.


"Yeah, just wants to be held I guess."


A hint of a smile pulls at the corner of his mouth, but it's gone quickly.  "What about you?"


I shrug.  "I'm hanging in.  How do you feel?"


"The shower helped."  He walks across the room and sits down beside me on the bed, giving Mack's forehead a light kiss before he goes to give me one on the lips.  "My shoulder is starting to bother me a little bit."


I make him turn slightly so I can peek underneath the bandages.  It's healed slightly since last night, but not by much.  I don't say anything, just change the bandages and rub the area all over with alcohol and antibiotic ointment from the first aid kit.  "It doesn't look as bad."


"But it's still bad."

I lick my lips as he turns back to me.  "You'll have to get it looked at by a doctor at some point."


He nods in understanding, but if the information bothers him, he's not letting it show.  "Can you help me get dressed?"


I say nothing, just spring into action, placing Mack gently onto the bed so I can help Justin get his shirt on and his pants buckled properly.  I've already packed us up, so there's nothing else to do now but leave...carry out the plan Justin and I talked about last night, and hope we survive it, that we make it.


That we can just...go on living, together.


Justin tucks the gun into the front of his pants and shrugs the backpack on, wincing slightly because of the new weight on his bad shoulder.  "Ready?"


I pull the duffle across my chest and take Mack into my arms, trying my best not to stare at the gun.  "Yeah."


We walk out of the safety of the dingy motel room, and out into the lot.  Justin takes my hand and guides me to the front of the building and stares across the street.  There's a McDonald's, and laundromat, and a gas station.  Justin decides that the McDonald's will be easier for carjacking, and I have no rebuttal.  None of this makes sense, so I just go with it.  We sit at one of the outdoor tables, and I prop Mack up on the top of it, forcing myself to smile at her so she'll stay happy.


It doesn't take long for our plan to take action.


"Them."


Justin points with his good arm as the Honda sedan pulls into a spot in front of the McDonald's entrance.  I can see a man and woman inside.  No kids.


Good.


I clutch Mack in my arms, as Justin shrugs the jacket I gave him over his injured shoulder as best he can.  This time he doesn't wince, but I know it's the adrenaline that's dulling his pain.  "C'mon."


I get to my feet and follow behind him.  He doesn't' have to give me instructions on what to say or how to act around these people.  I've done enough manipulating on our journey to know exactly what to do by this point.  I force my best smile as the woman begins to open the drivers side door.


"Excuse me ma'am...hi." I flash a brilliant smile for her as I rock Mack in my arms slightly.


I have no idea where Justin is.  Behind me? 


"Hi..."  She gives me a confused look.


"Sorry to bother you," I blurt out before can push past me.  "I was just wondering, would you know the way to the interstate?  I'm a little lost...I never really go anywhere, but my daughter needs to see grandma, you know?"


She stares at us for just moments, but then a look of sympathy takes over her expression, and I know we're in.  "Well I think I have a map you can borrow."


"Oh that would be great, thank you so much!"


She gets back into the car, where her husband is still seated, and she has him open the glove compartment.


I see Justin then, right where he said he'd be, at the passenger side.  He puts a finger to his lips, telling me to be quiet as he pulls the gun from his pants, and points it into the open window. 

The lady opens her mouth to scream, but no sound comes.

"Just be quiet."  I hiss at her, sticking my head into the window. "We don't want to hurt you, we just need your car."


"Get out."  Justin says, waving the gun in the man's face.  


"Oh man, aren't you...oh my god, you are!" The man says to Justin.  "Hun...look it's that couple on the run from the tv!"


I'm so baffled that I nearly lose my focus.  


"What?" She shrieks.  "Chester, he has a gun in your face! I don't care who he is!"


"Can you guys just get out of the car?" Justin says, looking as dumbfounded as I feel.


"This is so cool!" Chester goes on, grinning from ear to ear as he glances between Justin and I. "Really, nothing ever happens in this town!"


"This is a carjacking," I remind him.


"No really, take the car."  He pulls the keys from the ignition as his wife sits paralyzed with fear, and plops the keys into Justin's hand.  "This is so cool...it's right out of America's Most Wanted.  I'm so excited!"


"They're taking our fucking car." Hillary says.  "How the hell can you be happy about this? I swear to god, I should divorce your ass right now!"
Justin and I exchange glances.


"We can get another car, Hun! When's the next time a national fugitive steals our car?  Think of the stories we'll be able to tell! I bet we'll get on CNN!"


I'm waiting for him to ask for a selfie with us.


"Can you just get out of the car now?"  Justin shoves the gun further into the window.


"You got it." He grins, and gets out, hands raised in the air, and Hillary follows suit. "Good luck, wherever you end up!  I won't call the cops for a couple of hours!"


"Thanks..."  I shake my head roughly and get into the car, handing Mack off to Justin.  We peel out before either of them can call attention to the situation, and within seconds we've left them in the dust.


"That was so fucking weird."


Justin laughs.  "That was amazing."


I look at him, and can't help but smile.  "In a million years, I never thought a carjacking we did would go down that way."


"It's because we're supposed to do this," Justin nods, cradling Mack in his arms and kissing her face.  "We're supposed to make it."


"Really? What about your shoulder?"


"It was a fluke."


I sigh.  "You could have died."


"But I didn't.  We're going to make it, all right? We have a good car now, a different car, and we'll get past the border.  I know we will."


I don't push back.  He's been through enough in the past twenty four hours without me adding more stress and negativity to the situation.  I won't tell him that I'm still afraid we might not get past the border patrol, or that Hannah's goons could be waiting for us just beyond the Mexican border.  It would just give him more doubt, make him question why he loves me, and I couldn't take that.  I couldn't take it if he didn't want to love me anymore.


That's why I'm here after all, because I can't stop loving him, no matter how hard I try.

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2728