Take Your Time by god gave me style
Summary: It's been fifteen years since Aria has smelled the sweetness of Tennessee. She's been running as hard and fast as she can, but he's always there, just a step behind her. She'll never be free of him... but the question is, does she want to be?
Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: Justin Timberlake
Awards: None
Genres: Alternate Universe, Angst, Drama, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: Yes Word count: 20247 Read: 2024 Published: Dec 29, 2014 Updated: Jan 31, 2015

1. -one- by god gave me style

2. -two- by god gave me style

3. -three- by god gave me style

4. -four- by god gave me style

-one- by god gave me style
Author's Notes:
This was inspired by a MissM tweet, and Take Your Time by Sam Hunt. More to come...
December 23.

I don't wanna steal your freedom
I don't wanna change your mind
I don't have to make you love me
I just want to take your time


I sit at my large, glass desk sucking lightly on the tip of my pen. I've slumped down in my chair a little as I stare aimlessly out of the large windows onto the snowy New York City. My legs are crossed at the knee, my head cocked to the side slightly as I twirl the pen ever so slowly on my lips. My eyes don't really focus on anything in particular, they've sort of just glazed over. I barely blink as the thoughts circle around my brain. I'm lost. In many different ways. I'm lost in thought and I have no idea how long I've actually been sitting here like this. I'm sure my phone is ringing off the hook, my personal cell phone is probably chiming and dinging like crazy, my email chirping from my IMac. I've toned all that noise out and it's just me and the city and my thoughts. These lapses in time have been adding up with me lately. More and more, I find myself just... staring.

I'm losing my way. Each and every day, I feel myself slipping further and further into this hole and I'm scared. What if this is it? This is what I gave him up for? Or maybe this is just the universe paying me back for what I've done. For the hurt I caused him that day. I got everything I thought I wanted, the big desk, the high paying job, a shot at making partner at one of the biggest law firms in the busiest city on the planet... but I'm made to suffer every day with fleeting thoughts of him. Oh, what a sick joke.

You've got a lot to get through today, snap out of it, my head screams as I draw a long breath. You don't want to bring your laptop with you, do you? Then quit. I slam my eyes shut and exhale again, trying to erase all of the abuse I've been shouting at myself internally and run my fingers through my dark brown, fake, locks. God, he used to love running his fingers through my hair. My natural, shoulder length, need a relaxer like last month hair. We would lie in bed for hours, not speaking, with him just over and over and over again, running those long fingers through my tangles...

My eyes shoot open suddenly as I lose the memory and it fades away for another day. I shake my head slightly and turn back towards my computer before another random memory can begin its assault. But there it sits. The small, red velvet box that's haunted me for fifteen years. I can't get rid of it. I've tried to throw it away countless times, knowing that I'll never move on until I do. There's not even anything in it but I can't get rid of it. It's the last thing I have to remind me of him. I know deep down that I'll keep it forever. Even though I don't need to.

"Miss Vaughn?"

I snap my head toward my petite assistant/receptionist who hides behind her cute red framed glasses and blonde curls, "It's twelve thirty, would you like me to order you some lunch?"

I take a breath, glancing toward my computer and trying to act natural, "Uh, no, I think I'll just grab something at the airport later."

"Alright. Well, I've sent the email that you'll be leaving the office at two and will only be answering your personal cell in case of emergency. I've forwarded all your files to Don and let your clients know that he will be the point of contact until then end of your vacation. I just need your signature on a few things." She walks toward me, head buried in her iPad as she flips open a manila folder and holds it for me to sign, "I've also set up the vacation voice mail on both your phones."

I smile a little as I scribble my signature on the pieces of paper in front of me. She is so efficient, "Thank you Missy."

"Not a problem. Do you need anything else? Are you sure you don't want something to eat?" She asks, returning the smile and tucking her iPad underneath her arm.

I wave her off, crossing my legs again, "No, no, I think you've covered everything. Why don't you go ahead and take off, I know you have a flight to catch as well."

The small blonde lights up as the words leave my lips, but she quickly tries to cover up her excitement, "Are you sure? I mean, I have a few other things to tidy up around here."

"Go Missy. You and Gavin have fun, okay? Say hi to him for me."

Missy smiles again, this time a wide, toothy one, "Thank you so much Aria. Have a merry Christmas and New Year. I'll see you on the fifth."

"Bye, hon."

I watch as she turns and clicks out of my office, her body swaying slightly in her gray pencil skirt with matching white shirt and gray vest. She's so cute I could strangle her. I turn back to my computer and try and get back on track with my day so I don't have to work while I'm back home. A few minutes later, Missy waves at me as she passes by the glass door with her free hand as the other holds her phone up to her ear as she speaks with whom I assume is her husband, Gavin. I wag my fingers back and return to my keyboard, clicking away as I save my client's world.

I actually do a pretty good job at keeping the thoughts at bay because it seems that next time I check my phone, the time reads one forty five. I answer up a last email and send out the obligatory, I'll be back after the New Year, wishing all a happy holidays email, that not one person will read, and log out of my computer. I push away from my desk and head toward the corner of my office, grabbing my coat and wrapping up in my favorite scarf before slinging my gray Michael Kors bag over my shoulder. I shuffle back over to my desk and grab my iPad, tucking it into my bag safely. I bite my lip, knowing that I'm forgetting something but I turn toward the door and try to begin my decent to the street.

I wave at a few people, give a few hugs and stop just momentarily to make small talk with another colleague. I'm just about to make my exit when I hear my name being called, "Aria. I'm glad I caught you."

I turn and plaster a smile on my face as my boss, Paul George, stops me. I extend my hand and he grabs it, shaking slightly, "Paul, how are you? I didn't think you made it into the office today."

He chuckles, "Ah, I wasn't going to but I had a few things to handle. Listen, I know you're going on vacation to... um..."

"Tennessee." I chime in, knowing good and damn well he has no clue what state I'm from.

"Oh yes, it's beautiful out there this time of year. Anyway, I just wanted to update you on the partner situation. A little birdy told me that if the Anderson case continues as smoothly as it has been and we close the deal, you are a virtual shoe in for the spot."

I let out a breath and plaster a huge smile on my face again, "That's great news. Thank you."

He grabs my elbow and squeezes gently, "No, thank you. You have a great asset to us Aria, it's about time we reward you for it. Have a wonderful vacation and I'll be seeing you."

"Thank you Paul, same to you. Say hello to the wife for me." We lean in for a hug and just as soon as he came, he's walking off, back down the hall.

I turn and head toward the elevator, my face dropping as soon as I step into the empty box. I slam my finger on the 'L' bottom and rest my head against the wall as I chew on my bottom lip. I should be happy. That's fantastic news. Partner. I don't want it though. What the fuck? I don't want this, I haven't wanted this in years. I sigh as the elevator stops at nearly every floor as it fills up with souls. I tap my foot as I wait anxiously for the elevator to hit the lobby floor and the gold doors to slide open. We all file out one by one and soon I'm weaving though bodies in the lobby, inching closer and closer to the outside world.

I pass through the doors and shiver instantly as the cold whips through my hair and envelopes me in a nice, chilly hug. I clasp my hand to my scarf and jog slightly over to the valet, pulling my ticket from my pocket and bouncing on my feet as he runs off into the garage. Within minutes, my white Mercedes Benz pulls up to my feet and I'm heading toward my high-rise apartment, deep in the city. The drive is quiet, I don't even turn on the radio. I just thumb my fingers against the leather steering wheel as I wind through the snowy streets. Before I know it, I'm pulling up to yet another valet, this time, at my apartment. I fling open the door and am greeted by Will.

"Good afternoon Miss Vaughn."

"Good afternoon Will. Can you have a taxi for me at five please?"

He nods as he helps me out of the car and hands me my purse, "Sure thing. JFK or LaGuardia?"

"JFK, thank you." I smile genuinely at him, and palm a fifty dollar bill into his large, burly hand, "Merry Christmas Will."

"Merry Christmas Miss Vaughn. Thank you."

I rush inside and head straight toward the elevator, punching my floor number and checking my phone as I make my way upstairs. Once the door dings, I step off and head toward my apartment, digging in my bag to find my house keys. I slam the copper key into the lock and push my way into my heated home. The TV blares in the background and the faint smell of chicken wafts towards me.

"Tom?" I call, shredding my scarf and jacket and throwing them over the back of the couch as I head toward the kitchen, "I thought you said you were leaving for Chicago today?"

The tall blonde man I call my boyfriend, glances up at me from behind his paper as he pops a piece of grilled chicken into his mouth, "My flight was delayed. I'm not leaving until tomorrow morning. How was your day?" I walk toward him and go to plant a kiss but he ducks away from me, "Come on babe, your lipstick."

I pull away from him and sigh, walking away from him to grab a water from the refrigerator, "It was okay. I'm going to pack."

He grunts something at me but I don't stop my stride as I move through the expensive apartment and into the bedroom, where I slam the door. I head straight to the closet, kicking off my shoes and returning them to their rightful spot. I grab my suitcase and begin methodically going through my wardrobe, tossing random articles of clothing onto the bed and pulling shoes from their boxes. It takes about an hour but I'm fully packed, changed into more comfortable clothing and answering a text message from my anxious yet happy mother. This is the first time I've been home in fifteen years.

My stomach starts to gurgle as the nerves begin to flood through my veins. I've been avoiding Tennessee ever since that beautiful Sunday afternoon fifteen years ago. He's still there. How can I go home knowing that with every turn, I could possibly run into him? So I didn't. For five thousand, four hundred and seventy five days, I avoided my home town until my mother finally threatened to never speak to me again unless I came home.

"It's okay honey. You can't run from him forever."

I wish I could.

I stay hidden in the bedroom with the rest of the afternoon with my boyfriend staying in the kitchen. This is how our days go mostly. I think this is the longest we've been in the apartment together in quite some time. He's usually jet setting across the country, fucking every woman that crosses his path. He thinks I don't know, he thinks I make him use condoms so I don't get pregnant. I don't care though. I should, but I don't. I don't love him. I never did. I never have and I never will. He only keeps me around for the status. The black, future partner of a law firm is a great catch to have on your arm at the million dollar executive dinner. Not the bimbos he gallivants around with.

I remember a time when I couldn't peel myself away from my man. We did everything together. I don't think we would let a single hour pass without one of us professing our love for the other. We were so beautiful, young, and carefree. I yearn for that now. I yearn for him. But I messed it all up and now I'm doomed with Tom. Boring, lazy, Tom. Ugh.

Four forty five rolls around and I'm carrying my luggage out into the foyer. Tom is still moving around the apartment, I hear his soft steps and the radio in his office going, "Tom, I'm leaving." I call, pulling my jacket and scarf back around my small frame.

"Alright babe, love you." He calls back.

"Love you too." I mumble, rolling my eyes and heading back out into the hallway, closing the door behind me.

I step out into the cold New York air just as my taxi is pulling up. Will opens the door and helps me inside, telling the driver once again to drop me off at JFK and I'm off, starting my journey closer and closer to home and him. I stare out the window as the buildings whiz by, my mind wandering back to those haunting thoughts as I wring my hands together slowly. God, I hope I don't see him. Maybe he'll be in Nashville or Memphis. Or maybe, it'll just play out that we'll just barely miss each other with every step that we take and avoid the awkwardness. Maybe.

We make to JFK, and I'm going through the motions to get checked in and at my gate with literally thousands of other travelers. I've been through this process many, many times. I print off my ticket from the self-check in kiosk, check my bags, stand in line to have the agent check my license and ticket, remove my shoes and get groped by a small, red headed woman, replace my shoes after security and head toward my gate. It's like I'm in a haze. I stop at a restaurant, find a seat at the bar and order two shots of Patron.

I slam the first one down, the liquid burning my throat and stomach as it makes its way through my body. I let out a breath and close my eyes before taking the second shot. My liquid courage if you must. When the bartender makes his way back to me, I order a burger and fries and one more shot, requesting that it be brought only after I've devoured the food. My haze continues as I eat slowly, and swallow the poisonous liquid one more time. I drag myself through the airport, finding that my plane has already started boarding once I reach the gate. Shit. Now I don't even have time to talk myself up for this.

I stand motionless as the gate agent calls the next sections to start boarding, my eyes locked on the door leading me to my most certain hell. Home. Him. Memories. Hurt. Pain. Home. I blink a few times, dragging my mind back into the present and take a caution step forward. My mom will kill me and then never speak to me again if I don’t board this plane. She's the only voice that keeps me going nowadays. Well, hers and his. I take another step, and another and another until I'm taking my first class seat in the large, leather chair. I glance up at the people rushing past me to their seats, looks on their faces just like mine. It's kind of funny actually. This is supposed to be the most joyous time of the year, yet everyone looks angry and depressed for a million different reasons.

Once the stewardess go through their safety routine and prepare us for takeoff, I order a forth shot. I don't want to deal with this two hour flight, my mind can't take it. I slam the final shot and feel the warmth flood through my entire body, closing my eyes and taking it all in as the older gentleman beside me does the same, "Merry Christmas." He nods toward me, smirking gently before swallowing his own shot.

“Happy New Year." I offer back, before sinking a little more into my chair and turning my head toward the window, just as we start to taxi away from the gate.

Within minutes, the alcohol starts to take its toll and my eyes become as heavy as bricks. I adjust to get comfortable and I'm asleep before we even take off.

***


June 18th, 2000.

I can't stop pacing. My hands are sweaty, my chest is pounding, my head throbbing. I'm gonna throw up. My stomach turns as I pace quietly back and forth in front of the body length mirror. I tug at the neckline of this white, lacy dress as I let out a grunt. It's suffocating me. I turn toward the window and run to it, slamming it open so I can get some fresh air. I slam my eyes shut and try to breathe deeply but I can't catch my breath. Oh god, am I having a panic attack? Why is this happening? I'm happy! We're happy, I should want this. I love him.

But I'm young. We're both so young. I want to do so much and I haven't even had the chance to even try to do them yet. But God, do I love him. I turn from the window and run my sweaty hand through my curly hair, glancing wildly around the room as I tug slightly on my locks. My chest rises and falls harshly as the tears threaten to fall once again, smearing my once perfect make up. My body begins to shake as I make my way back toward the mirror and stare at my reflection. My dress is beautiful, exactly what I wanted. I remember when I spotted it in the window and I jumped up and down like a little girl when he promised to buy it for me. He worked two jobs that winter to get it for me.

An old clock somewhere deep in the small church chimes and I jump slightly. I glance up at the small digital clock hanging on the wall. In twenty minutes, I'll be married. I'll be Mrs. Justin Timberlake. I've dreamed of this moment since I was six years old. But now that the day is here, I don't want it anymore. I don't want this small, country life. I want out. I want to go to school, maybe become an editor or a lawyer. I want power suits and expensive dinners in the city and... a life. But do I want a life without him? I thought I didn't. But he doesn't want to leave Tennessee. I'll be stuck if I stay.

This is it, Aria. This is the fork in the road. I throw my head back, my face breaking as the hot tears stream down my cheek, "I'm sorry," I say aloud, whimpering and crying as I begin to mourn the death of us, "I'm so sorry."

I turn toward the window and kick off my heels, throwing them behind me as I leap toward the exit. Once my tights-clad feet hit the soft, green grass, I take off, my dress dragging through the dirt as I run. The warm breeze envelopes me as I continue to cry and run as far from the church as possible. I trip and fall as I weave my way through the trees but I don't move right away. I dig my hands into the soft earth as the tears drip from my eyes. I turn and glance over my shoulder at the small church where the boy I've loved since I was a child, unknowingly waits for me. I glance back down at my now dirty dress, soiled with grass stains and dirt, my white tights just as dirty. Even if I wanted to go back, I couldn't. How would I explain the mess?

But something pulls me to my feet and I'm running again, barefoot, as my heart breaks but my mind keeps pushing me forward. Once back at our small home, I rush into the bedroom, ripping the suffocating dress from my small body and changing quickly. I dig through my nightstand and pull out a white envelope, filled with the cash I had been saving for the honeymoon. I don't even pack a bag. I don't even put on socks. I just jam my feet into my white Keds, grab my purse and turn to run off when the small, red velvet box stops me. It's sits on the bureau, staring back at me. I pick it up slowly, swallowing roughly as I pop it open to reveal it empty and it all washes over me again. I slam it into my purse, I'm not even sure why, and take off running again, busting through the house and back out onto the street.

The wind whips around me as I make my way to the bus station, my face stained with tears, my lungs and legs burning. My mind races as I run inside, tilting my head up to scan the board of departures, trying to find anywhere but here. My brown eyes land on New York City and it's leaving in just ten minutes. I run to the counter, bouncing up and down as I wait behind the elderly woman, turning my head from side to side, checking to make sure I don't run into anybody that I know. Anyone that knows I should be standing in a church at this very moment, giving my life to a beautiful young man. When the lady moves, I slam my money down on the counter and spit out, "One for New York."

The young guy behind the counter eyes me for a second, I know I must be a freight. Smeared makeup, dried tears, my hair strewn all around my head. I even buttoned my small, gray cardigan in the wrong holes. But he prints my ticket and hands me my change, pointing toward the large bus to the right. I run to the bus and board, handing my ticket to the driver as he punches it. I head straight to the back and plop down, sinking into the chair and tucking my legs underneath my chin as I start to cry all over again. He's going to hate me. He's not going to understand, I don't even understand, but something was telling me to run. Something was telling me that I wasn't ready for this. Just as the bus pulls away, I close my eyes and slam my head on the back of the seat, saying silent goodbyes.

Everyone at the church waited for me. Justin bit his lip as he nervously stood at the altar with Trace, his best friend, who smiled uneasily back at him. Ten minutes, then twenty went by, and then thirty before our mothers stood from their seats and ushered back to the room I was supposed to be in. When they found it empty, and the window open, Lynn screamed and my mother Joan just started to cry. Justin ran back toward the noise and all he could hear was his mother chanting, "She's gone. She's gone baby. She's gone."

He raced back to our small home, busted through our bedroom and fell to his knees when he saw my dirty dress thrown to the ground. His beautiful face and heart broke all at the same time and he cried himself to sleep that night, wondering what he had or hadn't done for me. Why did I go? Aria, his precious Aria. His love. The hurt soon turned to hate as he awoke the morning after and tore through our closet, ripping my clothes, shoes, makeup and jewelry from their places and throwing them into the backyard. He ripped up every picture, every keepsake, and every little thing that reminded him of me as his mother begged him to calm down.

The two of us never spoke again.

I cried the entire way to New York. I wandered around the city for hours, trying to find somewhere, anywhere to rest my head so I could think. I find a hotel room and barricade myself inside for days, not eating, not drinking, just crying. But one morning, I wake up and know that I have to get up. I made the choice to run and now I have to keep on. I get up, I find a job as a hotel clerk and a nighttime gig as a waitress. I save up and put myself through school, never being able to shake my thoughts of him. My Justin.


I awake with a start and I'm back on the crowded plane. The people around me are standing and grabbing their belongings, waiting for the stewardesses to open the door to release us. I run my fingers through my long hair and undo my seat belt, standing slowly as I pull my purse over my shoulder. Just like cattle, we all usher toward the exit and onto the tunnel as the flight attendants wish us a happy holidays. I duck my head and stare down at my feet as I walk slowly into the airport and only lift my head at the sound of my mother and sister.

"Aria! Over here!"

I smile genuinely at the sight of the two of them and I feel a sense of ease wash over me, if only momentarily, "Hey guys." I nearly whisper as they both pull me into a big hug.

"You look so good baby. My baby is finally home." My mom says after a moment, pulling away from me to take me in, "My baby." Her eyes cloud over with tears but she wills them away. My momma was always strong. She held the family together with her tough but loving demeanor. She never let us see her cry.

"You look great too momma. So do you Hannah, you look beautiful."

She clicks her tongue, "You best believe girl. I hope you're hungry cuz momma went crazy cooking for you. She made all of your favorites. She don't ever cook for me."

We laugh as momma pushes my younger sister softly, "Hush yourself girl, I've done for you your whole life."

Hannah throws her arm around my shoulder as we head toward baggage claim, "She lyin' Aria. She don't cook for me anymore."

"I forgot how much I've missed your crazy ass Han." I laugh, throwing my arm around her small waist.

We grab my bags a few minutes later and head out into the chilly Memphis air, jumping into my mother’s old Chevy Bronco. Hannah fills me in on all the city's gossip, pointing out the window at buildings and houses and familiar landmarks. I start to tune her out as I watch the city pass us by as we get pulled closer and closer to Shelby Forest. A small smile spreads across my face as memories of my childhood play out in my mind. Man, I used to own these streets of Memphis as a teen. I'd leave on a Friday night and wouldn't return home until Sunday afternoon, not caring that I'd be put on punishment for the next week to come.

Home.

Once in Shelby Forest, my mother pulls slowly through as I smile at all the lit up homes and town buildings. There are a few people still on the streets but it's getting late and the sun has set and soon, it'll be a ghost town. My mother avoids going down Palmer Street, where Justin and I once rented that little, old house but she can't avoid Lynn and Paul's place. I drop my head as we pass, feeling as though I'm not good enough to even view their loving home. I let out a sigh but keep my eyes on my lap until my mother pulls the old Bronco into the driveway of our southern home. White Christmas lights run along the driveway and sidewalk up to the porch. The railing is circled with green garland and the tree trunks are decorated with multicolored lights. A single green pine wreath, decorated with bows and ribbons and one large, red flower hangs on the front door.

My mother, Hannah and I climb from the truck and head inside where the warmth from the heater wraps me up into a tight hug. After a few steps inside, a happy golden retriever runs over to greet us, "Well hi there. Who's this?" I ask, dropping down to his level and scratching behind his ears.

"That's Charlie. He's a good boy, isn't he?" My mom coos, running her thin fingers over the top of his head, "Girls, why don't you two go wash up and I'll warm up the food in the kitchen. Be back down in about thirty minutes, okay?"

"Alright momma. I'm gonna take a quick shower."

"Ughhh. You're gonna hog the bathroom already?" Hannah whines, throwing her head back in exaggeration.

Momma swats at Hannah's arms, shushing her, "Don't you start Hannah Marie, it's been fifteen years since your sister has been home and all you want to do is fight."

"Haha!" I laugh, pointing at Hannah and sticking out my tongue, "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a bathroom to hog!"

I turn and take off up the stairs with Hannah right on my heels. My mother smiles softly at the sight of her only two girls before turning toward the kitchen, Charlie right at her feet. After a ten minute shower, I open the bathroom door and pad towards my old room, wrapped in a towel. Hannah stands in the circular body mirror that stands in the corner, holding up one of my shirts to her chest.

"You can have it." I say, smiling at her as bend over to rummage through my bag to find a t-shirt and shorts.

She squeals and jumps on my bed, sitting Indian style as I pull my old Dallas Cowboys shirt over my head and pull a pair of gray shorts over my hips. I plop down next to her and she rests her head on my shoulder, "I've missed you sis."

"Aww," I giggle, "I've missed you too babe."

Hannah. My baby sister. She's five years younger than I and we couldn't be more opposite. She's wild and flaky where I'm tame and predictable. She barely got through high school, well several high schools and college couldn't have been further from her mind. She's a free spirit, like a leaf just floating through the air as the wind whips her from place to place. She's built small, her chocolate skin the exact same shade as mine. Her long, wildly curly, dark brown hair stops just inches above her shoulders, her dark orbs eying mine as she turns towards me, "Justin's here. He's been staying with his parents since Monday."

I try to seem unfazed at her statement, running my fingers through my hair and clearing my throat, nodding slowly, "Oh." Is all I can muster.

She shrugs slightly, "I just didn't want you to freak out if you ran into him or anything. Plus, Lynn might stop by tomorrow to drop off some cookies."

"She still makes those Christmas cookies? The sugar ones?" I ask, remembering the taste like I was literally biting into one right this moment.

She smiles, "Oh yeah, she does. Mom says she still stops by almost every week to just come and talk. Mom says Lynn still asks about you."

Silence falls over us as I begin to bite my lip, staring over at the mirror in the corner, "Is he with anybody?" I ask quietly, a few seconds later.

Hannah nods, pursing her lips a little, "Yeah. Harper Kerrington, Cameron's little sister."

A twinge of jealous pangs through me at the revelation, "Harper?" I ask, giving my sister a face.

She laughs a little, "We all said the same thing, believe you me. They've been together for a while now though, I think like three or four years. Hey, how's Tim?"

"Tom," I correct, rolling my eyes at the mention of him, "And he's fine. He's in Chicago. How's Kimberly?"

"Ugh, let's not talk about her." She snorts, rubbing her face harshly with her palm.

I laugh, "Oh my god, what happened now?"

"She's fucking crazy, that's what happened! I think I'm done with girls for a while, think I'm gonna find me a nice little boy to obsess over."

"You know that's what momma wants. She can't stand you dating girls Han."

"I know but I can't help what I like Aria. Every time I say I wanna be with a man, a gorgeous, blonde twenty something crosses my path and I'm putty in her hands."

We share another laugh and our mother's voice echoes through the old house, "Girls! Dinner!"

We both stand from the bed and head toward the stairs, where I stop Hannah momentarily, "Are you happy Hannah?" I ask suddenly as she whips around to face me.

She glances to the side, a little confused by my question, "Yeah, I think so." She laughs, cocking her head to the side, “Why?”

"Don't change a thing, okay? Just life your life, no regrets."

She lets out a breath and pulls me into a tight hug, knowing exactly what I'm thinking without me having to say a word, "It’s okay sissy. You can't blame yourself forever, you were a baby. You wanted to live your life, there's nothing wrong with that." She whispers into my ear, holding me tighter that I can ever remember she had before. She pulls back a few seconds later and runs her thumb across my cheek, "Come on, let’s eat."

She skips down the stairs and I follow closely, heading into the kitchen and plopping down at the table for the first family meal we've had in fifteen years. It feels good. I feel good. Maybe this is just what I needed. And maybe, just maybe, I'll be lucky enough to avoid Justin, Lynn and Paul all together and just be able to enjoy my mom and my sister for a few days.

I'm not that lucky though. Never have been, never will be.
-two- by god gave me style
December 24th.
Christmas Eve.

So I don't wanna come on strong
But don't get me wrong
Your eyes are so intimidating
My heart is pounding but
It's just a conversation
No boy I'm not gonna waste it


Mommas' house is all a buzz and it's still only the three of us here. The TV in the living room is blaring as Frosty the Snowman plays out. Hannah is singing loudly with the radio in the kitchen as she finishes wrapping her gifts. Momma is upstairs in her room with Charlie, as he barks at something randomly through the window. I'm in the living room, putting the finishing touches on my gifts and arranging them all around the Christmas tree while I munch on an oatmeal cookie. I've only been here a day, but I've actually had fun. I've had a few fleeting thoughts of Justin here or there; my stomach only knotting up once at the thought of him being just a few streets away. But Hannah has done a great job at keeping me occupied.

She flounces in the room behind me, her arms full of wrapped presents. She plops down beside me on the floor and hapharzardly tosses her presents under the tree. I shoot her a deadly glance and then begin rearranging them, trying to make it look half decent, "I have a great idea." She pronounces, her big, dark eyes trained on me.

"Oh yeah? What is it?" I ask.

"Lets go have some drinks, on me." She smiles, wiggling her eyebrows up and down and biting her bottom lip.

I sigh a little, "It's Christmas eve sis."

"So?" She shrugs, "We're not going to get hammered. We can just go down to Bucks', get a shot or two and just chill out for a while. Momma won't care."

"Are you sure it's open? I mean, it's almost eight." I ask, glancing down at my Iphone and illuminating it to check the time.

She scoffs at me, slapping me lightly on the arm, "To be as smart as you are, you sure are dumb! It's a bar and it's Christmas Eve, of course it's still fucking open. Put your shoes on, we're going." She stands and turns toward the stairs, taking them two by two, "Momma! Aria and I are going down to Bucks' for a while!"

I sit back on my butt, wrapping my arms around my knees. I cock my head to the side and stare at the tree, trying to decide if I really want to go, even though I know I don't really have a choice. Once Hannah has made her mind up, there's no changing it. I stand and slide my feet into my white Keds and grab my coat from the rack by the door. I'm buttoning up and wrapping my scarf around my neck when Hannah and momma come down the stairs.

"I want you two to be careful out there. Don't be too late."

Hannah leans in to hug our aging mother first, and then I do the same, planting a kiss on her cheek, "We'll be fine momma. Ten o'clock, we promise."

Momma glances over at Hannah, who nods her head and gives her a convincing smile, "Love you two." She says finally, still basking in the delight of having us both home for the holidays.

We head out into the night, linking arms as we make our way through the small, quiant little town. We talk aimlessly and giggle the whole way, Hannah stopping a few times to make small talk with a few random neighbors. About twenty minutes later, Hannah and I burst through the doors of Bucks' bar. Its rather packed, surprising me a little as we shrug out of coats and tuck them over our arms as we weave through the bodies. We find two spots at the bar and Hannah instantly orders two shots of Crown. I tuck a peiece of hair behind my ear, becoming a little self concious all of a sudden.

"What's wrong?" Hannah pipes up, noticing my discomfort.

I shake my head. This is the first time I've been out of the house since I've been here. This is a small town. People know me and what I've done. Our disasterous wedding day was the talk of the town for months and months afterwards. What if they recognize me? What if somebody notices me here? Shit. I should have stayed home, "I just... what if somebody see's me?" I whisper, leaning into her as the loud music plays in the background.

"What do you mean Aria?"

I sigh, placing both hands around the small shot glass, focusing my eyes on the brown liquid, "You know what I mean Hannah. What if somebody see's me? I don't want to deal with any questions or glaring."

She turns toward me, placing her hand on my shoulder, "Honey, it's been fifteen years. People don't care about that anymore. God, you've got to quit punishing yourself. You made your decision, it's over. You're happy, he's happy, all is well."

I look over at her as her words fall from her mouth. You're happy, he's happy... I'm not happy. I haven't been happy since I fled that beautiful Sunday afternoon. I'm in my own self made hell. I grab the glass and put it to my lips, tilting my head and letting the liquid rush down my throat. I slam the glass down and call to the bartender for another, Hannah smirking at me the whole while, "Well then. Let's get the party started."

Three mixed drinks and two more shots later, Hannah and I are feeling pretty good. She's fawning over some pretty, young white girl and I've struck up a conversation with one of my old classmates, who doesn't even mention Justin's name to me. I've gotten a few wayward looks here and there, people taking a second glance at me and then leaning in to there friend to whisper something. I just turn away and try to get lost in whatever Hannah was babbling about. Nobody came directly to me though, nobody pointed or made a scene like I expected. It was almost as if as soon as they saw me, they made their little comment or two and then went on about their business, drowning their sorrows in their alcohol. Maybe I've been afraid for nothing. Maybe Hannah is right, nobody cares about that day anymore.

When my old friend excuses himself, I turn to Hannah and mumble about heading to the bathroom, before sliding off of the barstool and stumbling toward the back. I giggle to myself as I steady myself with the wall, sliding my hand along it until I find the single stall ladies room. I handle my business, which takes a little longer than usual, given my unsteadiness. I manage to get my pants back up without falling over, wash my hands and pull the door open, flipping off the light. As soon as I step out of the small bathroom, there he is, standing at the opposite bathroom door, stopped dead in his tracks. My eyes shoot to his peircing blue ones, my mouth falls open, my heart drops to my feet.

Justin.

He stares back at me, just as shocked as I am. Our eyes never leave each others, we don't move, we just... stare. He looks amazing. His once baby face is covered with a thin beard, his curls replaced with straightened hair, parted and slicked to the side. His tall, hardened body is covered in a plad button down shirt and dark blue blazer and jeans. He still towers over me, his frame six foot one to my five foot six. He blinks after what seems like an eternity, pursing his lips as anger begins to wash over him. He drops his eyes from me and then swiftly turns and walks away.

I follow him with my eyes as he makes a B-line for the front door and I lose him in the crowd shortly after. I'm not sure if it's the booze or my guilt but my body begins to move through the crowd as well without warning, not even stopping to grab my coat or tell my drunk sister where I'm going. An hour ago, I would have seen him, grabbed my shit and hauled ass home. I shouldn't have drank so much. Hannah catches a fleeting glimpse of me and calls out, but I don't stop. I bust throuh the door and throw my head left and then right and spot my old love, hands shoved in his pockets as he makes his way down the street. Just like on that day, I start to run but this time towards him instead of away.

"Justin!" I call as I make my way toward him, my head screaming to turn around but my heart pulling me towards him.

He doesn't acknowledge me, he doesn't miss a step, he just keeps walking, "Justin, please." I say once I reach him, stopping myself with his body.

He whirls around, batting my hands away from him, "Don't touch me Aria." He says lowly, his once bright blue eyes, dark with hate.

"I'm sorry," I whisper, dropping my head to my feet, "I just-"

"What are you doing here?" He spits at me, his brow furled.

I can't speak. I open my mouth but the words refuse to leave. He's so angry, it's almost scary. I shrink into myself, wishing that I had just let him go, "I- I came home, for, um, Christmas and..."

"No," He says curtly, "Why are you here? At the bar? Are you following me or something?"

My mouth hangs open, "No. Hannah wanted to have a drink, I didn't even know you were going to be here."

"Then why are you following me now?"

"I'm not, I just... I thought maybe, we could talk or... I don't know, I saw you and I just... I don't know." I say, completely defeated.

He stares at me for a second, and I don't even recognize the loving young boy I left. He's been replaced by this angry, guarded man, "You know what? Just go back to the bar." I lower my head and am about to turn away when he scoffs, " I mean, what the hell makes you think I want to talk to you?! Dammit, I knew I should have stayed home!" He says, more to himself, than to me.

He turns to leave and my head screams again to just let him go, that I've caused enough damage. But something in me calls out to him, "I'm sorry. I'm sorry for leaving."

He stops when he hears me. He takes a deep breath but turns to face me again, "You're sorry? That's all you have to say to me after all this time? After what you've done? You're sorry?!" He screams, stomping towards me, causing me to back up a few steps, "Fuck you Aria!"

"Hey! Leave her alone Justin!" I whip my head around to see Hannah running towards us.

Justin scoffs, smirking a little, "It's okay Hannah, it's okay." I say, holding up my hands as she approaches, "Go back inside, it's okay. I'm okay."

She glances from me to Justin, then back to me, "Are you sure? You don't have to do this. You don't have to talk to him."

"She doesn't have to talk to me? Are you fucking kidding me, Hannah?" He screams, jabbing his finger into his chest, "Like I'm the one that did something wrong?!"

"There is no point in bringing up shit from the past! You're just going to upset yourselves and cause even more of a scene if you do!"

The two begin to argue loudly, drawing more people to poke their heads out of the bar. I grab Hannah's hand and pull her back a step, turning her towards me, "Hannah, stop."

"Aria-"

"Hannah, please!"

She stares back at me, her eyes searching mine desperately, "You're sure?"

I nod, tucking some hair behind my ear and watch as she retreats, turning back a few times to eye us. When I turn around, he is still standing there, his eyes trained on me, "You fucking killed me that day, you know that? Not to mention that you embarrassed the shit out of me and my entire family." Justin states after a few moments of silence between us.

"I know." I whisper, swallowing harshly, "I'm sor-"

He holds up a hand, "I don't want to hear sorry." He looks away from me and across the street, tucking his hand back in his jeans pocket, "Why?" He asks quietly, landing those big blues back on my dark ones, "What did I do wrong?"

"It wasn't anything you did," I state, stepping closer to him, "It was me, all me."

"I thought you loved me."

"I did love you! Please don't think I didn't," I plead, "I was so young and confused. I thought I wanted, needed something more than this. More than Tennessee, more than what my mother had become. I freaked out. There I was, at twenty years old, staring at myself in this white dress, with all of our friends and family waiting for me," I stop, taking a breath and shifting my gaze from him to my freezing hands, "I saw my mother staring back at me in that mirror and I just... I just ran. I just ran."

Justin stands, watching me as I reveal my mental state that day, listening intently, "You know, I thought you would come back. I waited and waited and waited by that fucking front door, just knowing that you'd walk back in at any moment. But days turned into weeks," He sniffles, rubbing his face with his hands, "Weeks turned into months, months turned into years and not a word, not a fucking word from you." He stares at me, his blue orbs bouncing back and forth between mine, "And you know whats worse? I mean, I hated you, I really did. But there was still a little piece of me that just wanted to know if you were okay. There was still a little piece of my heart that beat for you." He pauses, breaking his eye contact from me to glance down at his feet, "That's what I hate the most. That after all of this time, after everything you've done, all the hurt and pain and tears and anger I've had; I feel better now that I've seen you. I feel better knowing that you are okay. I fucking... God, I hate this!" I look down at my hands, trying to will the tears away. He shrugs when I don't speak, running his hand through his hair roughly, "What more did you want, Aria? I would have given you the world. I would have worked three jobs if I had to to give you whatever you wanted. You never gave me a chance to try and make you happy."

I look back up at him, searching his eyes that no longer seem angry, but hurt, "I wanted a lot of things. I wanted to go to school, I wanted to travel, I wanted to drive a BMW and wear thousand dollar shoes and carry a name brand purse," I let out a breath and watch the white puff disapate in the air, "I know you would have worked your fingers to the bone to give me what I wanted but at that moment, I thought I had bigger things to do with my life than to marry you."

"That is so unfair." He says, wiping at his face, "You don't think I had dreams? You don't think I wanted to do things with my life too?"

"We had talked about it already," I exclaim, "You didn't want to leave Memphis and I didn't want to spend my life in this little ass town. I'm not saying it was fair, I'm not saying it was right, I just..." I trail off, "I know you had dreams Jay." I relent.

"Yeah, and all I wanted to do was play them out with you. How could you be so fucking selfish, Aria? After everthing I did for you?! I've loved you my entire life and that's how you repay me? Walking out on me and then leaving me to wonder for fifteen fucking years?!" His eyes cloud with tears as he screams.

"I've barely been able to live with myself, Justin! Don't you think it's effected me? I-"

He scoffs, throwing his head back on his neck, "Effected you? I don't give a flying fuck about how it's effected you, Aria! Not everything revoles around you!"

"I can't come home!" I shout, looking him dead in the eyes, "You've moved on and I've been stuck. I've been stuck on June 18th, 2000 for fifteen years. No matter where I go, what I do, how hard or fast I run; every morning that I wake up, it's June 18th."

He smiles out of malice, laughing at me, "You don't know anything about me. You don't know that I've moved on, you don't know what I've dealt with all this time. So don't feed me this bullshit about being stuck and not being able to come home and blah blah blah. You did it to yourself. Don't put that shit on me." He says lowly, his words stinging like acid. He looks away, brushing underneath his eyes with his fingers, "You know what? Just fucking forget that I exsist okay? Just go about living your perfect little fucking life."

He turns on his heel and starts off down the street again. My own hot tears begin to stream down my cold face, "I miss you every day." I say suddenly, causing him to stop, "I've regretted my choice every single moment, of every day, of every year since I last saw you," My voice breaks as I stare at his back, "The little box that held my wedding ring still sits on my desk, where I can see it and be reminded of everything I threw away that day." He turns slowly, biting the inside of his cheek as he draws those big eyes on me again, almost encouraging me to keep talking, "I have everything that I thought I wanted. I have the job, the car, the clothes, the shoes, the accessories, the apartment, the boyfriend... and I hate it. I fucking hate every last detail of it." I laugh sadly, "I'm so lonely, Jay. I live in an apartment with a man I can't stand. He doesn't love me, he's never even pretended to. I drive a car that costs more than what people make in a year and a closet full of clothes that I've probably only worn once. But yet, I yearn this... this simple, slow, country life. The very thing I ran from in the beginning. I yearn for you," I close my eyes, almost forgetting that he's there, "When I'm with Tom I still think about you. His touch is your touch, his kiss is your sweet, soft, slow kiss, his body is yours. You haunt me, Justin. There's not a day that goes by that I don't hear your voice in my head, feel your hands on my body, smell your cologne as I get dressed in the morning. I can't even escape you in my dreams, because you always manage to pop up there too. But that's okay, because I deserve it, I deserve it all for hurting you."

I open my eyes slowly and he's right in front of me. His body mere inches from mine. Tears stain his rosey cheeks, his nose and eyes as red as my lipstick from the cold temperatures. He breathes easy and steadily, his mouth slightly open as I continue to speak, "I'm not saying this to ease my mind or to give myself closure. I'm willing to spend the rest of my days chained in this self made prison I've built. I'm saying it for you, so you can live your life without having to wonder what you did or didn't do. You did everything you were supposed to, sweet boy," I whisper, tears still shedding from my eyes as I cup his cheek in my hand, "You loved me to the moon and back. I'm thankful for that because I know now that there is no man that will ever make me feel the way that you did. It was all me. I was blinded by my own selfish ambition. I just want you to know, I loved you then, I love you now, I'll love you always."

I place my hands on his broad chest and stand to my tiptoes, like I had thousands of times in the past, like I still do in my dreams, and lay my lips on his, closing my eyes as the familiarity washes over me. My bold move takes Justin by suprise, I feel him tense beneath me but after a moment he relaxes and allows the sweet kiss. I don't want to pull away, it feels so good having him this close again. But I do, unlocking our lips with a soft smack and placing my heels back down on earth. I remove my hands from him slowly and take a step back, and then another, and then another. I turn finally, wrapping my arms around my torso and drop my head, starting my walk home. I can feel his eyes on me as I pass by the door to Bucks' where Hannah stands in the threshold, peering through the glass as I pass by. She steps out, turning her head to Justin first, who still stands as if in shock, and then instantly takes off toward me. She doesn't say anything to me, she just wraps my coat around my shoulders and throws her arm around me, pulling me into her body as I begin to sob.

"Its okay sissy. I've got you." She whispers, holding me tight and winding us through Shelby Forest.

Once back in my mothers home, she leads me upstairs, past momma, who sits in the living room, "Aria? Hannah, what's wrong? What happened?" She questions, standing in concern.

"It's okay momma, just let me get her upstairs." Hannah answers, shooting momma a glance that seems to let her know what was happening.

She leads me to my room, helping me out of my coat and shoes before I fall onto the bed, curling into a ball as the pain and hurt continues to flow out of me. She rubs my arm for a moment then lays down beside me, tucking her head into the crook of my neck and wrapping me up in her arms. Momma is soon by my bedside as well, grabbing my hand with one of hers, and smoothing my hair down with the other as she coos softly to try and console me. My body is cold and weery, my head and heart throb and ache as I lay crying with my family surrounding me but my soul... my soul feels as if its lifting, slowly. The guilt begins to chip and fall away as I've finally gotten to release the silent words I've been holding in for so long. I'll live in this prison forever, this I know, but I've built myself a tiny window to peer out of from time to time.

***

December 25th.

"Oh my god! Aria! No way!" Hannah shrieks as she pulls out a brand new pink Michael Kors purse with matching wallet out of the large box I so carefully wrapped. She throws her arms around my neck and I laugh, hugging her back, "Thank you so much!"

"You're welcome babe."

The three of us sit huddled around the tree as we exchange our gifts. Momma framed a picture of Hannah and I as children and gave us each one, telling us to always take care of each other. That we're all that each other will have once she's gone. My head still throbs from last night but that ease with myself is still present. It was hard, it'll be hard but I feel as if it'll be easier to live with myself from now on. I rub my forehead, squinting my eyes as I exhale slowly, my mother taking note, "You need some Advil baby?"

I nod, forcing a smile, "Please momma."

She leans over a plants a kiss on my temple, before standing and heading towards the kitchen. A knock sounds as soon as she passes and she stops, turning toward the door to open it. I peer over at my mother, I can't make out the expression on her face. She's smilling some, as if she knows the person but she's sort of... shocked? I don't know, I can't tell. She turns toward me, leaving the door slightly agape as she motions toward me. I stand, glancing back at Hannah before treading over towards her, "It's for you honey."

I let out a small, nervous laugh, "For me? Nobody knows I'm here."

She steps back, allowing me full access to the door and the tall man standing just beyond it. When our eyes lock, my heart stops. Justin stands before me, wrapped in a charcoal gray coat and jeans, hands jammed in his pockets once again, "Hey." Is all I can muster, stepping out onto the porch and closing the door behind me.

He nods his head toward me, smiling awkwardly as he drops his eyes to the ground, "Are you busy?" I shake my head no, grabbing my bottom lip with my teeth, "I uh..." He trails off, clearing his throat, "I'm not exactly sure why I'm here. I couldn't sleep last night after our uh... conversation." He finally looks up at me, those crystal cerulean eyes baring into mine, "I just want to thank you for being so brave and talking to me last night. I know it must have been hard to say all of those things to me."

"I wasn't doing it for me." I say quietly, wrapping my hands around my body.

"I know," he nods slowly, "I um," He runs his hand through his hair, holding on to the ends out of frustration, "I want to apologize."

I shake my head, "Don't do that," I whisper, "Don't apologize to me."

"I have to," He says, closing his eyes for a few moments before glancing to the side, "I said some terrible things. Some really mean things."

"Justin," I whimper, tears pooling up in my eyes.

He holds up his hand, "Just let me talk okay? I didn't sleep at all last night. I was so fucking pissed and confused and... sad," He shrugs, not fully understanding how exactly he should feel, "At first I was angry that you even had the balls to follow me. Almost like you didn't have the right to speak to me. But then your words started to set in and I... I felt so bad," He trails off, his eyes focusing on the wicker chair that sits motionless by the door, "I was scared too. When I woke up that day, I felt like the world was closing in on me. I felt like an elephant was sitting on my chest.. I actually threw up. The thought even ran through my mind that I was making a mistake." He trails off again, taking a breath, "I ran too. I got up, got in my car and just drove. I don't even know where I was going, I was just... driving. It took Trace over an hour to get me to come back. But eventually, I got dressed, and I went to that church and I waited for you because I knew that you were my future." He shifts his cold, blue eyes to mine, "I've thought about what I would say to you when I finally got to see you again, what I'd do and what I'd say and what you'd say. I thought I would feel vindicated in some way by cussing you out and making you feel lower than dirt but, I felt the exact same way that day. How can I blame you for what you did, when I almost did the exact same thing?" He blinks a few times, as if he's coming back into reality and sniffles a little, "I've never told anybody about that." He laughs a little.

I blink a few times, pushing the water that's bubbled up in them beyond the threshold. I rub my cheek my sleeve as the hot tears fall, "I didn't want to guilt you into anything." I exclaim breathlessly.

"You didn't," He answers back, stepping towards me, "I'm not doing it just for you, I'm doing it for me too. I think we've both held on to this for too long and too hard. I have to let it go, so we both can live."

I gasp as he suddenly pulls me into him and wraps his long arms around me, hugging me tightly, "I forgive you," He whispers into my ear, "I forgive you for me and I forgive you for you."

When I hear those three little words I completely lose myself to all the sorrow I've been lugging around. My face breaks and I openly sob into him as I wrap my own arms around his neck and hold on for dear life. God, this man. We stay linked for God knows how long, him swaying slowly back and forth. We've both finally reached the surface of this well we call us. Finally.

We pull apart and my body instantly chills as he warmth fades away. He wipes away his own tears, laughing a little, "God, I hope I didn't ruin your morning."

I shake my head, "No, we were just about done anyway."

He nods slowly, removing his eyes from mine again but still smiling, "I uh, I better get back. I didn't tell mom I was leaving so..."

I nod again rapidly, wiping my face, "Okay. Thank you."

He turns and steps off of the porch, turning back to me, "You were truthful with me last night. I owe you the same thing in return."

I smile sadly, "You don't owe me anything."

"You need stop hating yourself. Please. I'm still here Aria, I made it. And now because of you, I can move on without dragging that part of us with me. You need to do the same. You're too beautiful and too successful to be so damn unhappy with what you've accomplished." I smile sadly as he steps down off the porch. He takes a few steps then turns back slightly, looking at me over his shoulder, "That guy you're with is an asshole for not appreciating you. You're selling yourself entirely too short, kid."

He offers a small smile and turns again, taking off towards home. I watch him as he disappears then turn and head back inside, where Hannah sits, teary eyes on the steps and momma stands off to the side, "What are you crying for?" I ask, laughing a little.

Hannah shrugs, running her manicured fingers underneath her leaky eyes, "I don't fucking know. I'm gonna call Kimberly."

She takes off up the stairs and momma rolls her eyes. She steps towards me and pulls me into another hug, "You okay?"

"Not yet, but I'll get there I think."

She smiles softly, pulling me into the kitchen with her, "You will baby. This is just the first of many good days."

I sigh, "I hope so."

God I hope so.

-three- by god gave me style

December 31st.

You could've rolled your eyes
Told me to go to hell
Could've walked away
But you're still here
And I'm still here
Come on let's see where it goes


Charlie and I sit in an empty house. I'm stretched out on the couch in my ugly Dallas Cowboys sweater that Hannah got me for Christmas, black leggins and white socks. Charlie lays beneath me on the floor, my hand haphazardly rubbing up and down his head. I glance up at the clock above the TV and return my gaze to the Supernatural New Year's eve marathon. Hannah tried her hardest to pull me out of the house and join her and her friends at some party down town but I relented. Even momma has plans with her friends tonight. I'm fighting a cold, I guess from crying so much out in the freezing tempuratures these past few days. I just don't have the energy tonight. Plus, I'm kind of enjoying it. I did step out earlier to grab a bottle of Grey Goose that I've been laying into a bit.

Tom has texted me a few times, which I didn't even remotely expect. This isn't the first Christmas or New Years that we've spent apart but he's usually face deep in some other woman's chest by now. It suprising that he's even thinking about me while he's in Chicago. I think I'm going to try harder with him. Sure he's a cheating jerk, but I haven't exactly been giving him one hundred percent of me. I've never tried to love him, I didn't want to. But I'm thirty five and I'm not getting any younger. Hell, I might even start to like him once I decide to give him the time of day. Who knows.

The credits begin to roll and I roll up onto my butt, swinging my legs off the couch and sitting up. I stretch like a cat and stand, shuffling into the kitchen to grab a cookie or two... or four. I top off my glass with fresh ice and grab a Sprite from the fridge and head back to my place on the couch, where Charlie still lays on the floor. I pop the top to the Sprite and pour the glass half full, then turn my attention to the Grey Goose, filling the glass the rest of the way. I swirl my finger around, mixing the contents and then tag a swig, exhaling and humming happily as I swallow the delicious nectar. My face is warm and my head is beginning to swim, just the feeling I was looking for. I cuddle back into the couch and nibble on one of the cookies as Cas, Dean and Sam continue on their adventure.

I must have dozed off because a loud knock sends me into a near heart attack. I wake harshly, sitting straight up, my right hand grabbing onto the back of the couch for dear life. My reaction scares Charlie too, who jumps up and barks a few times as the sudden movement. I put my head in my hands to relax myself, then run my fingers through my hair before standing to my feet. I shush Charlie, who barks again and jog over to the door when the knock sounds again.

"I'm coming, I'm coming," I throw open the door, my eyes growing wide at the unexpected guest, "Justin."

"Hey," He says softly, smiling at me.

I shift uncomfortably, suddenly embarrassed at what I look like, "Hey."

He runs a hand through his hair, laughing a little, "I don't even know why I'm here I just... I was walking and I ended up here. Is that weird?"

"Kinda, yeah." We share a laugh, "You wanna um... come in?"

I pull the door open a little further and he steps in, "You want a drink or something? I've got some vodka." I ask, pointing towards the kitchen, then taking off towards it, not wanting to face him anymore than I have to.

"Grey Goose, huh?" He asks, shrugging out of his zip up hoodie to reveal a Grizzles t-shirt.

"It is my favorite."

He nods, sitting at the kitchen table, "I know. Remember that night at Cameron's?"

"Oh god," I sigh, handing him a glass and pulling out the chair across from him, "I haven't drank like that since then. That was bad."

We laugh again but an awkward silence falls over us. Justin takes a drink and then plays with the glass, watching it intently, unsure of what to say. We haven't done this in so long. We don't know how to talk to each other anymore. I mean, it's completely understandable, he's changed, I've changed, but it's kinda sad at the same time. I used to love our late night, on the way to McDonalds talks. They were some of the best I've ever had. I should have thought about that before I invited him in... but that would have been rude, I mean, he walked over here. Oh my god, this is a disaster.

"I'm suprised Hannah didn't drag you out tonight. She's quite the party girl I hear." He pipes up, taking another sip.

"Yeah, she tried to. I don't feel that great but it's been kinda nice just chillin' with Charlie. You and Hannah talk at all?" I ask, thumbing at the rim of my glass.

"Nah, not really. Every now and again we'll run into each other at the store or something and we'll talk a little bit but that's really it. Our mom's do most of the talking nowadays."

I nod in agreement, downing the rest of my drink and pulling the bottle toward me to pour another. Justin's watching me and I'm not sure why. I flick my eyes toward him but quickly route them back to my glass, where my pouring hand begins to shake. Stop looking at me! I push the bottle back to the middle of the table and now it's Justin's turn to refill his empty glass, "Um, what do you do?" I ask, trying to break the tension and silence.

"Wow," he laughs, sliding the bottle back towards me, "That's almost as bad as beautiful weather we're having."

I laugh with him, slipping my foot underneath me on the chair, "Don't laugh at me. This is weird, I don't know what to say."

He continues to chuckle, "I know, I know. I'm an architect."

"Wow, that's great. I thought maybe construction or something. You were always so good with your hands."

"Yeah, well, I was going to try and start my own furniture company but one thing led to another and here I am. I like it though. What about yourself? What do you do in that big city?"

"I'm a laywer at George and Stanford. I'm actually up for partner."

His eyes widen at my admission and he sits back in his chair, "Partner? That is great Aria, you don't even sound excited."

I shrug, looking back down at my glass, "I dunno, I am but I'm not. I'm just kinda lost right now, you know? I don't know which way is up."

He nods slowly, "I know the feeling. But, for what it's worth, congratulations."

I giggle, "Thanks." I take another drink, feeling a little more loose as my face begins to heat up, "I don't mean to get in you're business or anything and I apologize if this offends you, but Harper? Really?"

He slams his head back on the chair, drawing a laugh from me, "Who told you that?"

"Hannah, who as you know, is still the town gossip."

He sighs, spinning his glass on the table, " She's a good girl, she really is."

"She's ten years younger than us, Jay." I catch the nickname that slips from my mouth and bite the inside of my cheek a little, unsure of his reaction.

When he doesn't react, I relax a little. He throws his hands up, "Hey, she was legal when we started messing around. I'm in the clear. But yeah, she's great, she really is. We get along." He shurgs.

"Why aren't you with her tonight?"

He shrugs, "She's going to a rave. I'm not down with that shit."

"I mean, rave's are for, you know, high school kids." I shrug, making a face, trying to stiffle my laughter.

"Shut up," He chuckles, "What about Tyler?"

"Tom." I laugh

"Yeah, him too. What's he about?"

"He's in PR. He just transfered to Roc Nation. He's COO of... something," I laugh, "I don't really know."

Justin watches me intently, "Why do you stay?" He asks suddenly, "I mean, you don't even know what he does for a living and you've been together for how long?"

"Five years," I say matter of factly, letting out a breath and tucking some hair behind my ear, "I'm comfortable I guess. I'm thirty five, I don't want to have to start over with someone else."

"But you don't love him, you said so yourself."

I shrug, starting to get uncomfortable with this line of questioning, "I know that." I say, tucking some hair behind my ear again out of nervousness.

"Then why?"

"Why what?" I ask, exasperated, widening my eyes a little as I shift my weight on the chair and glance around the room.

"Why do you stay with him?"

"I said I don't know!" I exclaim, standing from my seat, "I don't really want to talk about this, okay?" I turn toward the refridgerator and head towards it, swinging open the door to look at nothing in particular.

I run my fingers through my hair out of anger again. I exhale, tapping my fingers against the door and biting my lip as I try to calm myself down. This was a bad idea. I shut the door, turn and instantly run into Justin's hard body. I try to back up but I'm pinned between him and fridge. He stands over me, his head cocked to the side as he glances up and down my body, "What are you doing?" I whisper, my chest starting to rise and fall quicker and quicker.

My eyes bounce back and forth between his, my mouth slightly agape as he peers down at me. His hot breath tickles my skin and causes the tiny hairs on the back of my neck to stand on end, "I don't know." He answers, placing his large hand on my side. He pushes me up against the fridge and leans in, his lips mere inches from mine, "I really don't know what I'm doing right now." He whispers, before crashing his lips on mine.

My hand flies to that beautiful head of hair, tangling my fingers in his locks as his tongue breaks through the barrier of my lips. I moan into him as he deepens the kiss, pushing his body into mine. He pushes his hands up into my sweater and I release his lips mometarily to gasp as his cold finger tips scurry across my warm skin. His lips drop down to my jaw line and his instantly finds that spot right behind my ear. God, he still knows. He nibbles a little on my earlobe, then returns to sucking on my neck as my nails dig into his sides. My eyes flutter shut and just as I'm starting to get lost in whatever this is, Charlie barks and my eyes pop open once more. Justin though, is unfazed by the dog and keeps on with his assault.

He pushes me up against the fridge again, removing his hands from underneath my sweater and underneath my arms. In one fell swoop, I'm lifted from my feet, my legs wrapping around his middle as he keeps me suspended, "Justin," I pant roughly as his tongue darts out and slides against my flaming neck, "Justin, what are we doing? What are we doing?"

He pulls back from me, his lips swollen with passion, "Stop talking."

"What about Harper?"

He shakes his head a little, "She doesn't have to know, now does she?" He whispers, "I won't tell her if you don't tell Tom, deal?"

This is wrong, I know it's wrong, he knows it's wrong but it feels so... "Do you feel that?" He whispers, pushing his body into mine a little more and dragging his index finger down my neck and in between my breasts, "That pull inside your chest. Like we're supposed to be here right now?" He whispers, his pink lips so close that they actually brush up against mine while he speaks.

"Oh god," I pant.

"I've walked past this house a thousand times since I saw you Christmas Eve. Like I'm being pulled here by you or something. So don't lawyer yourself out of this. It's one night. One final goodbye and whatever happens, happens. Tomorrow, it'll be a distant memory and you and I can finally say we've moved on."

He drags his thick thumb across my bottom lip slowly and I close my mouth instinctively around it, sucking gently, eyeing him as his mouth falls open. Pure fire is radiating from my body as he pulls me away from the fridge, claiming my mouth as his own once more. He sits me down gently on the edge of the counter, filling the space in between my legs as he digs his hands into my hair on both sides. I pull his lower half into mine, the rough denim of his jeans caressing me through the thin material of my leggins. I roll my hips into him again, the flame inside igniting even more at the friction our lower halves are causing.

He unlocks our mouths and lowers his forehead to mine, his right hand snaking down my body antagonizingly slow. It roams down my neck, then over my right breast, down my stomach and along my right thigh, his finger tips just ever so lightly making contact. He rubs my thigh as I throw my head back, biting my bottom lip as my hips continue to roll slowly into his crotch. He cocks his head to the side, watching me and then runs his fingers over my throbbing center, causing me to jump slightly. He grunts at my reaction to him and smiles as I seperate my legs more for him, allowing him and his deadly hand full access to me. His touch is light at first, my hips buck every now and again to try and get more pressure to my aching core.

"Mmmm, you like that baby?" He whispers, sucking in some air.

"Oh god, yes." I let out, "Oh fuck."

He pushes his thumb against me, causing a deep howl to erupt from me, then continues the circular motion with his index and middle finger. He pulls me to his chest and lowers his hot lips to my neck, sucking, licking and biting as his fingers continue their assault on me. My panties are so wet they stick to my lower half, the wetness beginning to bleed through to my leggings. His fingers are working faster now, more desperate as my breath beings to quicken and my shrieks hit new octives. He stops only momentarily, lifting me from the counter just high enough to jam his hand underneath the rim of my pants and pull them down around my ankles. They fall to the floor as he works my panties down my legs, leaning down to plant a few feather light kisses on my stomach and hips.

His fingers meet my warm flesh and the circle continues slowly as he pulls me to the very edge of the counter before getting down on his knees. I place both hands on his head and let my fingers roam through his locks, dropping my head back as the pangs of excitement bounce off the walls of my body. He dips two fingers inside of me and I let out a deep grunt, throwing my head forward as I pull on his hair. I jump at the touch of his cool tongue a few seconds later, my mouth falling open as my hips instincively start to move against his face. He pumps his fingers into me methodically, his tongue flicking at my center before his lips come down around it, pulling softly at my flesh.

I rock my hips into him, my moans filling up the kitchen as the pressure begins to build in the pit of my stomach. It's as if my body sends him a message, because hs fingers being pumping faster as he flattens his tongue against me, causing more pressure. My hips begin to buck uncontrollably against his assault, the waves threatening to flood the banks, "Give it to me baby," He whispers, pulling his mouth from me, "Give me that sweetness."

"Fuck, I'm close. Oh god, right there Jay, right there!"

He pumps his fingers into me furisouly, his tongue circling me firmly as my hips meet his each and every stride. I moan loudly, my fingers pulling his hair so hard I might pull it out from his scalp. A few more thrusts from those thick fingers and my limit is met. My legs tighten around his head as the orgasm washes over and through me, my hips still bucking wildly into him. Justin continues to work his fingers inside of me, licking my flesh as the small aftershocks continue to ripple through my hypersensitive body. My chest rises and falls roughly, a lazy smiles spreads across my face as I told my weight on my palms. Justin stands and leans over toward the faucet, turning it on and dipping his hands underneath the cool water, slashing it over his mouth and chin.

He returns his attention to me once he's cleaned up, wrapping his arm around my bare waist, "Thirsty?"

I nod slowly and he dips his large palm underneath the stream again, cupping the liquid. He brings his palm to my lips and I lower my mouth to it, sucking up the water before planting a kiss on his large palm. He cups my face then runs his hand down my neck as I straighten up, pulling his body closer to mine with my legs. I throw my arms over his shoulder and massage his neck with my lips, sucking harshly as he grunts lowly. He places his hands underneath my butt and lifts me again, "You're bedroom is still at the top to the right, right?"

"Mm hmm."

He starts up the stairs, making his way to my room like we had so many times before in the past. Once in my room, he drops me on my bed and turns to shut and lock the door, "Your momma is gone for the night?" He asks, pulling his t-shirt over his head to reveal his chest and abs.

"It's a little late to worry about that, isn't it?" I giggle, pulling my own sweater off and tossing it to the floor.

He unzips his jeans as I reach behind and unclasp my bra, "This feels like old times, doesn't it?" He asks as he saunters over towards me in nothing but his black boxer briefs.

I nod as I toss my bra across the room, "Us waiting patiently for my mom to leave before we ran upstairs." I giggle.

"Hannah would purposfully wait as long as possible to leave with her friends." He chuckles.

"Goddamn Hannah."

I lay back as he climbs on top of me, his lips kissing a trail from the top of my foot to my neck, his gold chain dragging along as it drapes from his neck. When he lowers down ontop of my naked form, I feel him pressing into my thigh. My legs instantly spread as if on cue and he takes his spot in between them. He kisses me again quickly, then arranges my legs around his waist. I reach down, cupping his bulge in hand and massaging him gently, giggling some as his eyes flutter shut, his long, dark lashes resting against his creamy skin. I dip my hands into his the thin material covering his waist and pull them down as much as possible, before grabbing him again.

Justin grabs my hand and guides it up and down on himself a few times, then pushes toward my opening. He stops just as he's about the break the plain and wiggles his hips seductively, teasing me. Just as I'm about to protest, he sinks inside of me, pushing slowly as I adjust to take him all in. I arch my back, pressing my bare chest into his as he pulls back his hips, nearly exiting me fully before sinking back down into me. He nuzzles his face into the side of my neck, my hands roaming up and down his back as he sets his pace. He picks his head up, placing it on my forehead, stealing a kiss a now and again, "I want you on your knees baby."

I nod frantically as he pulls out of me, and scurry to my hands and knees, facing away from him as his hand runs up and down my spine. I feel him positioning himself behind me, the bed dipping in as he gets to his knees. He places his hands on either sides of my hips and presses himself at my opening again, sinking his entire length into me. His pace is a little quicker now, his thrusts more forceful as he grabs a fistful of my hair and pulls, craining my head back as he slams into me. This is just how it used to be all those years ago. Hannah, out with her friends, my mother either taking her weekly grocery store trip or playing bridge with her church friends and Justin and I's bodies crashing into one anothers, our sounds filling my mother's small home.

The pressure begins to fill my stomach again but this time it's rising faster and harder than the time before, "I'm close Jay, oh god, I'm about to come!"

He continues slamming into me, harder and harder with each thrust, touching my spot each and every time in a glorious manner. I slam my eyes shut as I feel my body begin to tighten around him and his thrusts become quicker and more frantic. One last slam and I'm shattering around him, the fire still burning in the pit of my stomach. With a fistfull of my hair still in his grasp, he tugs harshly, my tight wetness coaxing his own juices from him as he finally lets go. We continue to move against each other as he spills himself into me, grunting lowly as he releases my hair and flattens his palms against my back before grabbing handfuls of my ass.

I fall to the matress and Justin flips me over before falling into me, his head resting in the crook of my neck. His fingers begin to traces circles aimlessly around my breasts and nipples, playing with them, causing me to jump slightly. We don't talk for a long time, not because we don't know what to say but because no words need to be expressed. Even if we never see or speak to each other again, nothing needs to be said right in this moment. We both know nothing is going to change, we're both adults. He's going to get up, change and head home to Harper and I'm going to fly home the day after tomorrow to Tom. But, we've made our amends. We visited the past and for about an hour, all was right with us. I cuddle into him a little more as he wraps his arms around me and I close my eyes, exhaling happily.

Happy New Years to me.

***

January 1st.

I crack my eyes open, squinting as the bright sun cascades through the blindes and into my room. I roll over onto my back before sitting up and rubbing my eyes. Justin is long gone. I felt his warmth leave me in the wee hours of the morning. He tucked me in before he left, leaving a kiss on my forehead before decending the stairs and sneaking back home in the darkness. I turn toward my nightstand and notice my phone plugged in and charging, at first confused at how it ended up in my room. I grab it, setting my thumb on the home button, letting it read my print before it opens up into the note pad.

I meant what I said. Start trying to be happy for you.
You deserve it.
J


I drop the phone to the mattress and smile a cheesey ass grin, dropping my head into my hands as I giggle softly to myself. That man is nothing short of a miracle worker, I swear. A noise sounds from downstairs and my heart sinks as the memories from last night flash to the forfront. My underwear and leggings are in the kitchen and either Hannah or my mom could find them and know that something went down.

"Shit, shit, shit, shit!" I scramble quickly, throwing the covers off of me but stop when I see my black leggings drapped over the back of the small chair that sits in the opposite corner. I walk over to the chair and drop my head at the sight of my underwear barely peeking out from underneath my Cowboys sweater. See? I told you, he's a miracle worker.

"Hey Aria, you wanna- oh shit! Why are you naked?!" Hannah screams, throwing her hands up in front of her face.

"Because I'm in my room! God, don't you knock?! Close the damn door!" I scream back, jumping back into my bed and covering myself up to my neck.

"You don't sleep naked, what the fuck?" She asks, closing the door and plopping down on the edge of my bed, "The front door was unlocked when I got home."

I scoff, dismissing her, "Oh please. I got drunk, I guess I just stripped down and passed out."

She eyes me for a minute, trying to catch a look from me but changes the subject when she doesn't get one, "Anyway, can I talk you into staying a few days later? I feel like we haven't spent any time together."

"I've gotta get back. But I promise, I will start coming home more often."

She sighs, standing, "I guess you will now that you and Justin have gotten that obligitory haven't seen you in fifteen years but still have feelings for you fuck out of the way." My face falls at her words as she turns and heads towards the door, "Yeah, so Kim and I snuck in while you were asleep on the couch. We heard the entire thing. Don't worry though," she says, holding the door knob with her hand as she steps through the threshold and into the hallway, "I won't tell mom that you got head in the kitchen."

"How the fuck do you know that happened if you were upstairs the whole time?!" I screetch.

She sucks in some air, "Yeah, so, Kim and I might have snuck downstairs when we heard all the commotion."

"Oh my god." I groan, slamming my head into my hands again.

She laughs wildly, "I won't tell a soul, I promise." She shuts the door behind her and skips down the stairs.

I throw my head back into my pillow, wishing I could melt into it, "Aria!" Momma calls a few minutes later.

"Yeah?"

"Breakfast."

"Alright, give me a minute."

I throw the covers away from me again and change into some comfortable clothes. There's change in the air this morning, even I can smell it. That weight I've been carrying around all these years is gone. I feel as if I've been handed the key to my cell door. And I'm ready to unlock it. I ready to walk out and breathe fresh air again. All because of him.

My Justin.

-four- by god gave me style
Author's Notes:
Thanks so much for reading and taking the time to review guys! It means so much! This may or may not be the end of Justin and Aria....

January 7th.

I don't wanna blow your phone up
I just wanna blow your mind
I don't have to take your heart
I just wanna take your time


I tap away at my computer, leaning back as I finish the email, glancing over it one last time. My hand instinctively runs through my now short, natural hair. As soon as I got back in town, I went to my stylist and cut off every inch of that fake, heavy ass hair. I like it. It's reminiscent of the old, young, free me. Tom doesn't like it, of course, but I don't care what he likes or doesn't like. He was part of the problem. I took care of that situation as well. When I get home today, he and all of his stuff should finally be out and I'll be able to start over completely. The very thing I was afraid of a few weeks ago.

My desk phone rings and I snatch it up quickly, "Yes Missy?"

She sighs, "Tom's here, again." She emphasizes, "What do you want me to do?"

I peer through my glass door, leaning a bit to see Tom standing just in front of Missy's desk. She turns around in her chair to face me, her blue eyes wide, "Send him in please." I say, dropping the phone back in its cradle.

I watch as she slumps her shoulders but twirls back around, stands and escorts him to the door. I stand, smoothing my hands down my pink cardigan and black pencil shirt and then tucking some of my free hair behind my ear. Missy holds open the door, allowing Tom access and then clicks in behind him, offering him a bottled water, "Don't forget, you have a meeting at two." She nods towards me then makes her swift exit.

"What's up Tom?" I ask, exhaling deeply as I lean in for the obligatory hug.

He hugs me back, before tucking his hands into the pockets of his Tom Ford suit. He's a great looking man, very Tom Brady-esque if you ask me. Tall, slim but muscular, impeccable bone structure and deep set, hazel eyes, "Can we talk?"

I lean back onto my desk, resting my weight on the edge, "About?"

"Us. Five years, down the drain, just like that?" He asks, cocking his head to the side a little.

I nod, "Yes. You don't love me, I don't love you. Why are we wasting each others time?"

"That's where you're wrong, I do love you. I haven't been the greatest man in the world, that I know, but I love you. I want to make it work." He grabs my hands, placing them to his lips and runs them over my chocolate skin, "I miss you baby."

I sigh again. I know what's best for both him and I but he's not making it easy on me. I want to believe him. Those puppy dog eyes are his best asset. I did say that I was going to try and make it work... but that was before Justin. Not that I'm secretly waiting for him to show up and whisk me away or anything. But he freed me from... me. I want to enjoy that freedom, "We had good times Aria. We can get back to that, I promise you."

"That was a long time ago Tom, maybe we can't get back to that."

"But we can. I've cut it off with Samantha, I fired her this morning. I've changed my number and blocked her email addresses. I'm ready to start fresh, with you."

I laugh a little, glancing around him, "You've cut if off with just Samantha? What about the other ones? How am I supposed to trust you? We both know that she wasn't the only one."

He slumps his shoulders, his hazel eyes bouncing back and forth between my dark ones, "I'm done with that, I swear." He grabs a strand of my hair and twirls it around his finger, "I'm starting to like this look."

I smile genuinely, standing up and hugging him again, "Tom, I think this is for the best. But thank you for the compliment."

He pulls away from the hug, grabbing my hands in his again, swinging them slightly, "I'm not done, baby. I'll win you back, you'll see." I laugh at his tenacity, crossing my hands over my chest and he walks towards the door, turning back towards me, "I've got to head to Miami for a few days, can I call you when I get back?"

I nod, "As a friend, yes, you can."

He leaves me with a toothy smile before he disappears down the hall. Missy rushes in behind him, iPad and manilla folders in hand, "You okay?"

I nod, smiling, as I push away from the desk, "I'm fine, thank you."

She nods and returns to business form, having me sign a few documents and alerting me to a few new clients that are coming on board that Paul wants me to personally handle. That's actually the next thing I need to handle. I follow Missy out onto the floor and hook a left, making my way toward Paul's large office just down the hall. I make my over to Jason, his receptionist and ask if he's available.

"In fact he is, you can go right on in Aria."

I mouth a thank you and push through the large door, smiling and waving a little at Paul as he finishes up his phone call, "Aria. To what do I owe the pleasure?" He asks, walking toward me and extending his hand.

I shake it lightly and swallow harshly,  here goes nothing, "Actually, I just need to speak with you for just a minute. It won't take long."

He motions toward one of the chairs in front of his glass desk and I take a seat, waiting for him to plop down in his large, rolling chair, "What's up?"

I tuck my hair behind my ear and take a breath, "I um, I wanna thank you for considering me as partner. That is a huge acknowledgment that I know you and your partners don't take very lightly. I just... I haven't been having a very easy time lately and I don't know if I can take on such a large investment like partner right now. I don't want to get into specifics really, but I'm thinking about taking some time so I can sort things out. You've invested so much time and effort into me and I truly appreciate everything you've done but, I just... I need a break for a while."

I don't make eye contact with him, I just stare down at my hands as the words fall from my lips. I slam my eyes shut and wait for him to throw me out of his office and the building but his voice surprises me, "You know, my wife and I just vacationed in Saint Barts. Have you ever been?"

I shake my head, "No."

"Hmm well, it's beautiful there. Lush, green trees, gorgeous blue water and the beaches are so white and clean that you'd think its fake quite honestly. One night, while my wife and I were walking along the beach, I looked over at her and couldn't help but notice at how much she had aged. It seemed like only yesterday she was the beautiful, young, raven haired knockout I met at my favorite coffee shop. And then I realized, my kids are in their thirties and forties, and I can't remember the last time I've seen one of them. I looked down at my hands and saw my grandfathers," He laughs, pulling his green eyes back to me, "Do you know why I'm telling you this?"

"I think so, yeah." I nod, biting my lip.

"I blinked and my life passed me by because I was so wrapped up in this," He throws his hands up in the air, "You have to live while you're young so you don't regret it when you're my age. I wish I had just went home and played football with my son or left early to see my daughter in one of her recitals. Those are things that you don't get back. My kids look at me like I'm a stranger but yet my colleagues, like you and Doug and Bobby, look at me like a father. Isn't that ironic?" He stands from his place behind his desk and walks around towards me, taking a seat right next to me, "How ever long it takes you, you'll have a home right here, with us, as partner."

I let out a breath, smiling at him in relief, "Thank you so much Mr. George."

"You've earned it, kid. Plus, I don't want another firm snatching you away from me."

We both stand, shaking hands again, "I'll finish out the week and transfer all of my clients to Bobby, it that's okay?" I ask as he walks me towards the door.

"Don't you worry about a thing, I'll handle it. You just go, figure out whatever you need to and hurry back. Jason, I need you coordinate with Missy and go through Aria's files, prioritize them and set up meetings with the heads of the accounts later this week."

Jason nods and picks up his phone, dialing Missy's extension, "Thank you so much Paul, I mean that."

He smiles warmly at me, placing a hand on my shoulder, "From one workaholic to another, enjoy yourself, for both of us."

I turn and head back towards my office, a smile plastered on my face during the entire walk. I call Missy into my office and explain Jason's impromptu call to her fully. She's shocked but happy for me, telling me that when I return, she'd love to return to being my receptionist. She makes me promise to call on occasion and I make her promise to always make time for her husband, that it'll haunt her one day if she doesn't. I log out of my computer for the last time, tucking my chair underneath my desk, then wrap up in my jacket, throwing my purse over my shoulder. I hug Missy one last time, thanking her for all of her hard work and dedication to me at all hours of the day and night and head toward the elevator.

I step out onto the street a few minutes later and stop, another smile spreading across my face. I take a deep breath of New York's thick, dirty air and tilt my head back, enjoying this major win. I head home slowly, leaving my car in the parking garage and choosing to walk. For the first time since I've been here, I actually admire the city's beauty. I was usually too busy, with my head buried in my laptop or lost in my lapses in time. I stop by a street cart and grab a sandwich before heading to Central Park and taking a seat at one of the many benches. I chew slowly and watch as mothers, doctors, lawyers, college students and children hurry by, some in groups, others alone. I wonder how many of them are like me; lost and continuing to drown in their own sorrows but putting on a brave face.

After I finish my sandwich, I stand and continue my route home, finally reaching my empty apartment. I shed my clothing and head immediately into the bathroom, where I draw a bath, complete with bubbles. I pour myself a glass of wine before slipping into the warm water. I spend a good, long while in the tub, draining the entire bottle of red wine before climbing from the garden tub and wrapping myself in my robe. I plop down on my bed, pulling open my laptop and grabbing my phone, dialing Hannah's number.

"What's up sis?" She answers.

I put the phone on speaker and set it down, returning my attention to my computer, "What are you doing?"

"Not much, I just got home from work. What are you up to?"

"I'm booking a flight." I answer, scanning the website for a one way ticket.

"Oh?" She questions, "To where?"

"Tennessee."

She's silent for a minute and I can almost hear her brow scrunching up, "Um, why? For work or something?"

"Nope," I let out, selecting a flight for seven p.m. this evening, "I requested some time for the rest of the year. I'm coming home for a while." She silent again, but this time long enough to make me think she's hung up on me, "Hannah?"

"Are you drunk or high? Did you get fired?"

"No," I laugh, grabbing my phone and heading towards the closet to change, "I told my boss that I needed some time for me. I need to detox and find out who I am. I haven't been me in a long time."

"Oh my god, that's so... me. What did Justin's dick do to you?"

I laugh wholeheartedly, for the first time in years, "Shut up. Don't tell momma though, I want to surprise her okay? Pick me up tonight."

"Tonight?! Holy shit, you're not wasting any time are you?"

"Nah, I've been wasting time my entire life. It's time for me to start doing something."

Hannah giggles into the phone, "Thatta girl! When do you get in?"

"Nine fifteen, flight 2834." I say, finishing the checkout through Expedia.

"I'll be there babe."

I smile, "Thanks Hanny. I love you."

"I love you."

We hang up and I toss my phone back to the bed, pulling a shirt over my head and jumping into a pair of tight jeans. I'm not even going to take anything with me. I'm just going to start completely over. Well, except for my shoes... I'll send for those later. I take care of a few loose ends, cancelling the paper, cleaning out the refrigerator and alerting my landlord that I'll be gone for a while but my rent will be paid. I place a call to Missy, who has a spare key to my car and ask her for one last favor to bring it to my apartment. I tap my fingers against the counter top, going through my mental list, making sure I've covered every avenue.

When I'm content that everything has been handled, I call for a cab and head towards the airport for the second time in as many weeks. But this time is different. Instead of being full of despair and hate, I'm filled with joy and happiness. I'm not afraid of what's next, or even to go home and be home for a while. I'm ready for whatever. I bypass the bars and restaurants in the airport and grab a coffee, bouncing my way to the gate. I cross my legs and wait for them to start boarding and I glance through my phone, sending text messages and scrolling through twitter. I jump up excitedly when I hear the gate agent announce that they are beginning boarding and hand over my ticket, smiling and thanking the young girl as I board.

Instead of sleeping the flight away, I jot down notes in my phone of all the things I want to do and cities and countries I want to visit while on my permanent vacation. Maybe I can convince Hannah and momma to come with me. That would be fun. Once the plane touches down, I'm one of the first people to deplane, hell, I'm practically running through the tunnel and into the airport. Unlike a few weeks ago, my head is up and a slight smile is plastered on my face. I make my way through the airport and venture outside, searching for my sister's Mustang. I dig out my phone from my purse, lightly pressing my finger on the home button to unlock it, but don't see any texts from her. It's not unlike Hannah to be late. I should have expected it actually. Hell, I should have told her to be here eight as a buffer. I plop down on one of the many benches, pull out my iPad and begin farming away on Hay Day.

An hour has now passed. I've called her four times, I've texted her about twelve times, which the last five or six have been rather nasty. I'm freezing my ass off, I'm starving and on a scale of one to ten on the pissy scale, I'm at a twenty. I slam my thumb on her name in my contacts again and it rings and rings, before her voice mail picks up.

"This is the last goddamn time I rely on you for anything Hannah! I can't believe you! I'm calling a cab, so don't bother."

I end the call and am about to dial a cab service when a black truck pulls up in front of me. I glance up quickly as a tall man steps out of the drivers side and jogs around the front towards me. I look back down at my phone but then shoot my eyes towards the man again, "Justin?"

He gives me a lopsided smile and pulls me into a hug, "Hey kid."

"What are you doing here?" I ask breathlessly, pulling away from the hug a second later, "Hannah was supposed to pick me up."

"Yeah, she called me about a forty five minutes ago, something came up at work and she had to go back in. You have any bags?"

Now, I should be glad that she at least managed to get somebody to come get me but this pissy attitude decides to overlook that point, "It took you forty five minutes to get here? Its fucking freezing, and no, I don't."

"I know, I'm sorry." He rubs my arm, trying to generate some heat for me, "I was in the middle of a late dinner meeting."

I roll my eyes and glance off in the distance, "Forty five minutes though?"

He chuckles, pulling me towards his truck and helping me in before jumping into the drivers seat, "Man, you are still mean as shit! At least that hasn't changed." I sigh loudly, annoyed at his comment, and he laughs even harder at me, "I was downtown! I'm sorry. As soon as she called me, I called one of my associates to come in and take over for me. I had to wait for him to show up before I could jet. I'm sorry, I really am."

I look over at him, running my fingers through my hair, "You didn't have to do that, I guess." I mumble.

He smiles again, "I dropped everything for you."

I look over at him as his words wash over me. I dropped everything for you... A smile creeps across my face as he brings the truck to life, pulling away from the curb, "Thank you Jay."

He shrugs, pulling off into the night, "You hungry? I didn't get to eat at my meeting cuz, you know, I had to pick somebody up from the airport."

I laugh, punching him lightly in the arm, "Shut up. I'm starving."

He cuts his eyes towards me for just a second before he focuses back on the road, "Mels' for a cheeseburger and strawberry shake?"

"You still remember?" I ask whimsically, smiling like an idiot.

He chuckles that low chuckle of his and pats my leg with his large palm, "Of course I still remember. Extra cheese and bacon on the cheese fries."

I moan, "Oh my god, that sounds amazing! I can already feel myself gaining weight though."

It grows silent between us but it's a comfortable one, "I'm glad you're home kid." He says after a few moments, "Maybe we could work on being friends again. I really have missed you."

I smile again, looking down at my manicured fingers, "I'd like that. I've missed you too." I say, nodding slightly.

He smiles, patting my leg again but this time, he lets his hand linger just a tad before he removes it from me. This just may be the beginning of something beautiful. This moment, right now, is what I've been feigning for, for the past fifteen years. Not just with Justin, but with me, my career, my outlook on life and love. This is peace. This is recognizing that sometimes, it's not all about me and what I want or feel. Sometimes, you just have to go with the flow of this busy current we call life.

Sometimes, you just have to take your time.

We make our way to Mel's and memories begin to flood the banks of my mind as soon as we hit the door. We had our first date here. He proposed to me a few years later beside the lake after we had dinner here. Justin ushers us back to our booth, the one where we sat each and every time we ate here and waits until I'm seated before he slides in, in front of me. We don't even have to look at the menu. When the red headed high school girl works her way over, Justin orders our usual, as if we ourselves had just walked in after a long day at school.

A few minutes later, our food arrives, hot and steaming and I don't dare waste a moment before popping a few french fries in my mouth, "Oh my god, that's so good." I moan, closing my eyes and letting the cheesy goodness explode in my mouth.

Justin chuckles before taking a bite into his Philly Cheese steak sandwich, "How long you in town for? You miss us that bad already?"

"For as long as I want," I shrug and he flicks his eyes up at me, "I got a wild hair up my ass today and told my boss that I needed a break," I laugh, "I don't even know what I'm going to do. I'm probably gonna sleep for a week."

He chews slowly, leaning back into the booth while he eyes me, "You seem different somehow."

"Oh yeah?" I ask, smiling slowly.

He nods, "The hair, which I dig, by the way. This attitude, the confidence. It's great."

I laugh nervously, tucking some hair behind my ear, "I'm trying." I whisper.

"Keep it up, it's working for you."

I pop a few more fries into my mouth before changing the subject, "No Harper tonight?"

"I told you, I was working when Hannah called me."

I scoff, "Don't play with me," I laugh, "I know what dinner meetings are. You usually bring your significant other to help impress the client."

He shrugs, "Ah, you know your shit."

"I've been in corporate America for a very long time, sir."

"Well, there's a good reason that she wasn't with me tonight."

"Oh yeah? What is the reason? Because let me tell you, Tom and I didn't even like each other and we still went to each others dinner meetings."

He takes another bite of his sandwich, chewing slowly, and taking a sip of his coke, "She broke up with me. Apparently, I'm too old for her because I didn't want to do couples Pilates."

I eye him cautiously but can't help that a big ass smile spreads across my face, "I'm sorry." I say, trying to sound concerned but failing as a laugh escapes, "Couples Pilates though? Really?"

He smirks back at me, a twinkle in those pretty blue eyes of his, "That's what I said! It was supposed to help us bond and create a deep, spiritual connection and blah blah blah." He rolls his eyes, "Pilates doesn't create a bond, and I'm not about to prance around with my ass in the air. I don't know, it turned into a huge fight and she just said that she didn't wanna be with me anymore because I and I quote, am acting like an old man, end quote." We share a laugh before he speaks again, "Maybe I'm old school, but if you feel like we need Pilates to create a bond with one another, maybe we have bigger issues."

I shrug, "You got a point there."

He matches my shrug, popping more food into his mouth, "I'm not though, by the way."

"You're not what?" I ask, a little confused.

He glances back up at me, smirking a bit, "I'm not sorry."

I pop another french fry into my mouth, a smile still playing on my lips. For whatever the reason, I'm not sorry either.

 

Fin?

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2741