The Unexpected Surprises of Life by daysgoby
Summary:

 2 years ago, Katie Rodger’s college boyfriend, Trevor, broke up with her, and ever since then she hasn’t had a descent relationship. However, when one of her best friends, Addy Osterberg, sets Katie up with one of her husband’s oldest friends will he be the one or will a twist of events turn things upside down.

EDITED!! 


Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: JC Chasez
Awards: None
Genres: Drama, General, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 25 Completed: No Word count: 34631 Read: 6247 Published: Apr 29, 2015 Updated: Aug 04, 2016
Story Notes:

I wrote this with a good friend of mine Adrea! Hope you enjoy it! We have changed the name and edited some things. Hope you enjoy. If you have time leave us s review on what you think. 

 

*EDITED*  

1. prologue by daysgoby

2. Chapter 1 by daysgoby

3. Chapter 2 by daysgoby

4. Chapter 3 by daysgoby

5. Chapter 4 by daysgoby

6. Chapter 5 by daysgoby

7. Chapter 6 by daysgoby

8. Chapter 7 by daysgoby

9. Chapter 8 by daysgoby

10. Chapter 9 by daysgoby

11. Chapter 10 by daysgoby

12. Chapter 11 by daysgoby

13. Chapter 12 by daysgoby

14. Chapter 13 by daysgoby

15. Chapter 14 by daysgoby

16. Chapter 15 by daysgoby

17. Chapter 16 by daysgoby

18. Chapter 17 by daysgoby

19. Chapter 18 by daysgoby

20. Chapter 19 by daysgoby

21. Chapter 20 by daysgoby

22. Chapter 21 by daysgoby

23. Chapter 22 by daysgoby

24. Chapter 23 by daysgoby

25. Chapter 24 by daysgoby

prologue by daysgoby

2 years ago - New Year’s Eve 2011/2012 

 

Katie Rodgers and her co-worker, Addy Osterberg, were having lunch at a sandwich place across the street from where they worked, Pikes Peak Advertising, discussing their plans for that night. 

 

Addy joined the firm 6 months ago when her and her husband, Alex, moved to Colorado from Boston. Alex had just finished his pediatric emergency fellowship at Boston Medical Center. It was a homecoming for Addy, as she grew up an hour and a half outside of Denver in Breckenridge, Colorado. Ever since Katie met Addy, on Addy’s first day, it’s felt like they’ve known each other for all their lives and became quick friends.

 

“Are you sure you and Trevor don’t want to join Alex and I at the Black Tie event at Sherman Street tonight?” Addy asked.

 

“Yeah, I’m sure. We have our own plans tonight,” Katie said taking a bite of her sandwich.

 

“Like what?”

 

“Well, first we’re having dinner at the 16th Street Mall at Appaloosa, watching the fireworks, then just head home since Trevor has to work tomorrow.” 

 

“Alright, well you can’t say I didn’t invite you then,” Addy smiled. 

 

“I won’t,” Katie smiled back. “So how much more do you have to do at work before you can leave?” 

 

“Not that much. I’ll probably bust everything out when we get back and leave around 2:00. What about you?"

 

“Not a whole lot either, but I decided to spread the work out since Trevor’s going to come by and pick me up for dinner around 7, so why just sit around and get things done fast when I can take my time. Plus, it’s a good time to clean my office,” Katie said as they finished up their lunch and headed back to the office. 

"Yea, your office kinda needs it,” Addy said as they reached Pikes Peak Advertising.  

 

"Oh come on! It isn't that bad,” Katie laughed as they reached her office. 

 

"Are you kidding, Katie you can't even see your desk. I don't even know how you get your work done." Addy said shaking her head and looking in Katie’s office  

 

"I get my work done just fine thank you, and it’s not that bad." Katie said again sitting in her chair. "Hard to believe another year is going to be starting."

 

"Right! And… a New Year means new adventures… Like getting married," Addy said looking up at her friend from her spot across from Katie

 

"Now… I don't know about that.

 

"Oh thank god! Please, don't get married to Trevor."

 

"Don't start that again, Addy."

 

"I'm sorry Katie, but there's just something about him that rubs me the wrong way." 

 

Now it was Katie's turn to shake her head, as Addy left to head back to her office. 

 

Katie and Trevor Bratcher met while in college at the University of Colorado- Boulder. Katie was a junior from Tennessee on an academic scholarship and on the Swim Club Team, while Trevor was a senior from Denver majoring in Environmental Science. They were both at a party after a football game when a mutual friend of theirs introduced them to each other. 

 

Katie started cleaning her desk thinking about if she was making a mistake dating Trevor? He had a wondering eye, but she thought that it was just an innocent thing most guys do it right? It was awhile before she realized that she wasn't doing anything. No, her and Trevor had a good relationship, and it was strong, she thought trying to get her mind back into cleaning her office. 

 

Before she knew it, 7:00 pm had arrived.

 

"Hey, you ready?” Trevor asked walking into her office. 

 

"Hi! I'm almost done just give me a minute."

 

"Come on let's go. I want to get this all over with so I can get to bed. I have to be on shift at 7 tomorrow morning."

 

"Ok, ok," Katie, exclaimed putting her things into her bag. 

 

She went to his side and kissed his cheek. She couldn't wait to spend the evening with him.

 

"I can't wait for dinner."

 

"Neither can I," Trevor said threw his teeth softly.

 

Katie looked up and smiled ignoring all the warning signs. As soon as she was done she went and took her boyfriends hand.

 

"Ok I'm ready," she said kissing his cheek.

 

“Finally," Trevor said taking her hand. "Let's go."

 

"Why are you in such a hurry?" 

 

"Because I want to get this night over with, and you know I gotta be at the station at 7am, so I would like to get at least some descent sleep.”   

 

Katie was taken aback by his attitude, but she ignored it. She was going to enjoy the evening, as she’s really had been looking forward to spending time with her boyfriend.  

 

"I'm excited to spend the night with you," she said tightening her grip on his hand.  

Trevor only smiled as they continued to walk towards the car.  

 

So they were heading to their favorite restaurant, and as soon as they walked in they were seated admittedly.  

 

As soon as they sat down, Trevor took his phone out and started playing on it. Katie watched him. It really wasn’t anything new, but she wanted to spend time with him.  

 

"What can I get you to drink?" The waiter asked.  

 

"We would like to share a bottle of pino," Katie said right away.  

 

The waiter nodded and headed towards the back. Katie looked at Trevor, who was still on his phone.  

 

"What you doing?"  

 

"Nothing."

 

"What's up with you lately?" 

 

"You know I've been busy with work." 

 

"Yea I know. I love you." 

 

"What are you going to order?" Trevor asked. 

 

Katie's throat closed slightly, and her heart was starting to close. She took a drink of her water and looked away. As soon as the waiter came back with the wine and ice. She downed her first glass, and then grabbed the bottle pouring herself another glass. This wasn't going to be a good night she could feel it.  

 

"How was work today?" 

 

"Boring,” Trevor simply stated not looking up from his phone.  

 

"Are you going to talk to me or should we end the night right now." 

 

"You know what I think that's a great idea. Katie, sorry but I'm done." 

 

Katie's mouth dropped. "What?" 

 

"I'm done Katie. I don't want to do this anymore." 

 

"But… Trevor I...I love you." 

 

"Oh come on Katie you knew we wouldn't last. We both want different things right now." 

 

Trevor started standing up as the waiter walked up to take their order. 

 

"Have you decided?" 

 

"Sorry, but I have to leave." 

 

"And who do I give the check to?" 

 

"She’ll take care of it, and Katie you better be out of the apartment by Tuesday." 

 

Katie just sat there shocked. "You truly don't mean that." She choked.  

"I do, so bye," he said walking away answering his phone, “Hey! I’ll be there in 5 minutes.”

 

The waiter placed his hand on her shoulder. He felt for the women in front of him, as she had been given the ultimate blow, and on New Year’s Even no less. 

 

"I'm so sorry."  

 

Katie took a deep breath. "Can I just get some fried calamari." 

 

"My pleasure ma'am." 

 

"Thank you," Katie said leaning back in the booth, still trying to wrap her head around what just happened.  

 

Chapter 1 by daysgoby

 2 years later

 

Addy Osterberg walked off the elevator and into Pikes Peak Advertising whistling her favorite tune of the moment and a coffee in her hand. 

With a quick hello to the receptionist, she dropped her things off at her office, and headed down the hall to her co-worker & friend Katie Rodger’s office. 

She walked in to see Katie on the phone, so she just placed the coffee on the desk and sat in the chair across from Katie. 

Katie gave her an odd-look and finished her call up, while Addy just sat there smiling at her. 

“Alright lady, what do you want?” Katie asked.

“What makes you think I want anything? Can’t I just bring a good friend a good cup of coffee?” Addy replied.

“Um no, you usually want something,” Katie laughed.

“Fine, do you have plans for tonight?”

“Kinda, why?”

“Well… One of Alex’s oldest friends is in town, and we’re going to grab drinks and dinner after work, and we wanted you to join us,” Addy smiled.

“Then yes, I defiantly have plans."

Addy rolled her eyes, “I don’t think laying on your couch and eating a pint of Ben & Jerry’s while watching reality TV constitutes as plans. So come on, please, for me?”

“Fine, I’ll come,” Katie sighed as Addy stood up.

“Yay! I’ll let Alex know,” Addy said as she headed back to her office.

“Thanks for the coffee!” Katie yelled taking a sip, Addy just waved in response already texting Alex. “Oh Lordy, what have I just got myself into?” Katie sighed leaning back in her chair.  

She hadn't dated in over two years. Not since Trevor Bratcher. The man who ripped her heart out and left it to die. She didn't know if she would ever get over that. Addy had tried hooking her up since then, but each time she had turned her down. She had no idea why she agreed this time; maybe she was tired of being alone. 

Shifting in her seat looking down at her papers, how was she supposed to work now? Shaking her thoughts away she went back to work. 

Around 5:30, Addy popped into Katie’s office. 

“Hey, you ready?”

“Yeah, I guess,” Katie said packing up her things and locking her office. 

“Oh it won’t be that bad. Josh is one of the nicest guys I know, and that’s saying a lot for some of Alex’s friends,” Addy said as they got onto the elevator. 

“So where are we going anyway?"

“Bliss- the new restaurant that opened down the street,” Addy said as her text message alert went off. “Alex says they are at the bar and once we get there they’ll seat us.” 

"Are you really sure about this Addy?"

"Girl you need to move on and get over it. It's about time you have some damn fun."

Katie only gave her a pained look. 

"Knock it off its only drinks and dinner. It's not gonna kill you."

"It means I could get drunk."

"You are driving me crazy, now let's go."

"Do I look alright?" Katie asked pulling at her skirt.

"You look just fine. Stop stalling." 

The two walked into the restaurant. The place was busy for a Monday night, but again it just opened the week before. 

Addy and Katie weaved their way through everyone on their way to the bar, and that’s when Alex saw them. 

“Hey! She actually made it!” Alex said taking Addy in for a hug and a quick peck on the lips. 

“Yep, and this time I didn’t have to go run after her,” Addy smiled. 

“Hey Katie,” Alex said. 

“Hey Alex,” Katie smiled back.  

“So where’s Josh?” Addy asked as Alex handed her a glass of water. “Thanks.” 

“Went to the restroom, so he’ll be back. Can I get you anything to drink Katie?” 

“Just a Blue Moon would be great,” Katie smiled.

“You got it,” Alex smiled, and told the bartender, who got the beer. 

“Addy!” Josh smiled and hugged (well more like smothered her) from behind, surprising her. 

“Hi Josh,” Addy mumbled pulling away. “So how was your flight?” 

“It was okay, nothing too exciting,” Josh said taking a drink of his beer. 

“Oh! Josh this is Katie & Katie this is Josh,” Addy said introducing the two, but before they can even say “Hi” to each other the hostess came over. 

“Mr. Osterberg, you table is ready,” the hostess said. 

"Great! Let's go." Addy said with a great big smile. This was going to be a fun dinner. 

 

Chapter 2 by daysgoby

Josh watched Katie as they were walking through the restaurant. Alex had told him that this Katie girl was pretty, but really the way he describe her gave her no justice, she was beautiful.

He had been a little surprised that they had invited him, even though he is staying at Alex and Addy’s place, he wasn’t expecting anything else.

It had been a while since they really had hung out, but Alex told him that a girl he really had to meet would be there, so he really didn't know what to expect from dinner.

Alex had been trying to hook him up for the past year. He really had no interest, but he remembered Alex's words when he picked Josh up at the airport, "Hey you don't know what will happen. Its just dinner with two old friends and one new friend." 

Getting to the table they all got settled, and Katie watched Josh from the corner of her eye trying not to get noticed.

Addy really never talked about Josh, so Katie knew nothing about him, so why was Addy trying to hook her up with him?

Suddenly blue eyes locked with hers. Her checks went red with embarrassment, and her head shot down to look at the menu. Fuck. She really didn't even know where to begin to talk to him.

Looking next to her, Addy was laughing at something Alex was saying. God sitting alone in her apartment with Ben and Jerry's sounded better. 

"What are you thinking about so hard?"

"Ah what?" She quickly said, snapping her head up to look back into blue eyes. "Nothing, sorry."

Josh smiled wide, "So, how do you know Addy?" 

"We work together at the Pikes Peak Advertising. So, what brings you to Denver?”

"Oh, Meetings. So it’s just a quick trip."

"Doesn't sound all that fun."

"No, this will probably be the only fun I'll have while I'm here." 

Katie laughed. She was about to say something when the waitress walked up. Everyone ordered another drink. 

"Can we have a few more minutes," Addy said looking up. 

"Of course take your time."

"Thank you."

Josh watched Addy take a drink of her water. "Alright Addy, what's up?" he asked.

"What do you mean 'What's up'?" Addy replied taking a drink of her water. 

"Well for all the years I've known you, you usually have a beer or a some kind of fruity drink when you go out, so what's up with the water?"

"Yeah Addy, you didn't even go out for your daily 2:00 Starbucks run, so what is up?" Katie added. 

Addy just looked at Alex, who just shrugged, she sighed, "Fine, I'm 3 months pregnant."

That’s when Katie started hitting Addy on the arm, "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Hey! Stop hitting the pregnant lady!" Addy said grabbing Katie's arm. "And we only found out a month ago, and told my family last night at dinner, and also called Alex's family last night to tell them too!" 

"I can not believe you didn't tell me."

"I just did."

Katie laughed but shook her head. "You're going to be a great mom."

"Aww thank you." Addy said giving her a large hug. "This is why I love you."

"You know that he or she is going to be spoiled."

"I have no doubt about that."

"Did your mom cry?" Katie asked.

"Of course she did. You know my mom. She's already trying to figure out what it's going to be. At dinner, she was like ‘I can tell it’s going to be a boy, and I should know because I had 3, although I’m thinking it might be twins because I had those too,’ and I’m like yes mom that would be Casey and I, and yes I know you had 3 boys, since they’re my older brothers,” Addy said rolling her eyes.

"Congrats Addy," Josh said. 

"Thanks Josh."

"She's glowing already," Alex spoke smiling; reaching over he took her hand. 

"I love you." 

"I love you too." 

Blue eyes met again making them both smile and Katie and Josh were very happy for their friends. 

Just as the appetizers were coming, Katie looked up and her eyes got wide. This was defiantly not good, so she kicked Addy under the table, however she ended up not hitting Addy.

“Ow!” Josh yelped.

Katie turned bright red, “Sorry that was me, I was trying to hit Addy and guessed I missed.”

“You guess you missed? I think you did miss,” Addy laughed. “Plus, why do you keep trying to hit the pregnant lady?”

“I guess it brings me joy,” Katie smiled. “Anyway, look who just showed up.”  

 “Great,” Addy signed rolling her eyes.

“What?” Alex asked.

“Douche ass is here,” Addy said, “And with what looks like his skank of the week.”

Josh kept looking back and forth between the three friends.

“What? What’s going on?”

“Oh just Katie’s ex, Trevor, just showed up. Why is he even here? He doesn’t even work or live near here,” Addy said.

 “Well hello Katie,” Trevor said approaching the table.

“Trevor,” Katie replied.

“Hi Addy, Alex,” Trevor smiled.

“Jackass,” Addy replied under her breath, only to get a kick from Alex. “Hi, Trevor.”

“Trevor,” Alex replied, both Addy and Alex never really liked Trevor from the moment they met him.  There was just something about him that was kinda off, they thought.

“What are you doing here?” Addy asked giving Trevor a death look.

“Just checking out the new place in town.” Trevor replied.

“Okay, so you’ve checked it out and now you can leave.”

“We were just on our way out, but then saw you guys and wanted to say hi,” Trevor said giving Addy the death glare back.

“Alright well hi, and now bye,” Addy said.

“Bye,” Trevor said as he and his skank of the week left the restaurant.

“Oh god,” Katie said putting her head in her hands.

“Well that was interesting,” Josh replied.

“Sorry about that.”

“Don’t be sorry. It’s happened to all of us at one time or another,” Josh smiled.

“Why yes it has, in fact, last year it happened to Josh, when we were out to dinner back in Vermont,” Addy said. “So don’t worry about it Katie, it happens to the best of us.”

 

After a couple of hours, and the entrees and desserts enjoyed, that’s when Alex & Addy decided to head home, but insisted that Josh and Katie stay and continue chatting.

“Alright you guys, we’re going to head home,” Addy said standing up.

“Yeah, I got early morning rounds tomorrow morning,” Alex said standing up himself.  “But you guys are welcome to stay. Josh, you got the spare key, and know how to get back to the loft right?”

“Yep, I think I know how to get back, it’s just down the street right?” Josh replied

“Yeah, and I’m sure if you lose your way, I’m sure Katie can guide you,” Addy smiled as Katie just gave her a “what are you talking about” look.

Around 1:00 in the morning, Addy heard the front door to the loft open, so she tried to shake Alex awake. However, that didn’t do the trick, even after a few more times, so in order to wake him, she kneed him in the back.

“Ow! What was that for?” he asked rolling over to look at her.

“Josh just got back,” Addy smiled.

“Um, okay…”

“Well it’s 1:00ish, that’s 4 hours after we left them at Bliss,” Addy said.

“So?” Alex sighed closing his eyes. “Can I go back to bed? I have to be up in 3 hours for 6:00rounds at the hospital.”

“Yeah, I guess,” Addy sighed.

“Thanks,” he said trying to get back to bed.

“I should text her,” Addy thought out loud.

“Addy, please let her be. You’re going to see her in 7 hours, and then you can gossip then,” Alex said with his eyes closed. “So please put the phone away!”

“Fine,” Addy said placing the phone on her side table on her side of the bed.

“Actually, give it to me,” Alex said holding out his hand as Addy placed her phone in it. “That way you won’t be tempted when it’s over there.”

In a few seconds he was sleeping again, while Addy just laid there thinking for a few minutes then rolled out of bed. Pulling her robe on, she quietly headed out of the bedroom and heard noise in the kitchen so she headed that way. Leaning against the door jam she watched her friend look in to fridge. 

"What are you looking for?" She giggled as she watched him jump and slam the door. 

"Shit Addy."

"What you doing Josh?"

"I... I was looking for some water."

"It's called a tap Josh,” she said pointing to the sink

"Ah yea true." He said pointing a finger and going to the cabinet. Grabbing a glass he poured some water and took a long drink. 

"Are you drunk?"

"No!" He paused and looked at the ceiling. "Ok maybe buzzed."

"So where have you been?"

"What was the restaurant called?"

"Bliss?"

"I was there."

"With?"

"Katie, duh. You guys did leave her there with me."

"You were with Katie this whole time?"

A goofy grin formed on his lips. "I was."

"And by the look on your face. You had fun?"

"It was fun."

Sitting down at the bar, she placed her head on her hand. "Am I going to get any details?"

Josh stared at her for a few minutes then shock his head. "Nope I’m going to let you suffer."

"What! That's just not fair. You did get her home, right?" 

He gave her a hard glare. "Of course I made sure she got home. I'm not a retard."

"Sometimes that’s debatable when you’re drunk,” Addy mumbled. “I was just checking. I want my friend to be safe."

"I'm not a jackass you know."

"Josh I didn't imply that. So what did you do?"

"We talked."

"You talked and drank?"

"Yep, I have to go to bed. I have a meeting in the morning. You should be in bed getting your rest."

"I'm just fine. Did you kiss her?"

"It wasn't a date."

"So, it doesn’t have to be a date to kiss her. So, will you be asking her out on a date?" Addy said standing up from the bar.

“I’m not saying anything, Nosy Rosy. Maybe I did, maybe I didn’t, I’m only in town for 2 more days, but now it’s time to go to bed,” Josh said spinning Addy towards the direction of the bedroom.

“Fine,” Addy said heading back to bed. “You suck!”

“Yes, I know I hear it all the time,” Josh laughed as Addy disappeared into the bedroom

Chapter 3 by daysgoby

The next morning, Addy was alone in the loft when she woke up. Alex was already at work, and Josh was already at his meetings. She reached over, and grabbed her phone from Alex’s side, and to her surprise she had no messages from Katie, which could mean one of two things: Katie really had a great time or Josh killed her. So Addy sent her a message, Hello! Are you alive?, and then got ready for the day.

As she was walking to work, she got a text message, hoping it would be Katie, she sighed when it was just Alex saying they were going to do take-out for dinner and just stay-in.

Since Katie had yet to reply to her, Addy stopped at Starbucks, once again to get Katie coffee. It was her go-to trick to get Katie to talk, or agree to something. Plus, the Starbucks employees were starting to worry since Addy didn’t show up for her 2:00 run the day before, like she has everyday for the last 3 years, since her and Alex moved to Denver.

Addy arrived at her office and noticed that Katie wasn’t in yet, which again could be a really good or a really bad thing. However, just a few minutes after Addy arrived, Katie arrived, and after giving her a minute to get settled, Addy walked over and into Katie’s office.

Addy shut the door, “Alright woman, now that I know you’re alive, tell me details of what happened after we left.”

“There’s no details to tell,” Katie simply stated.

“Oh come on! I even brought you coffee,” Addy smiled setting the coffee on Katie’s desk and taking a seat.

“Like I said, nothing happened!”

“Something had to happen if Josh got back to our place at 1 in the morning. That’s 4 hours after Alex and I left!”

Katie sighed, and was about to say something when there was a knock on the door. Addy got up and opened the door to see the receptionist holding a vase with a dozen roses.

“I got a delivery for you Katie,” she said.

“Just put them on the table,” Katie said pointing to the round table in the corner of the office. The receptionist put them on the table and then left.

“And you’re telling me nothing happened?” Addy questioned looking at the flowers.

“Exactly!” Katie said as she grabbed the card that was in the flowers. “Plus, these aren’t from Josh…”

“Then who could they be from…” then it hit Addy. “Oh god, please don’t tell me they’re from Trevor.”

Katie looked at Addy and nodded ‘yes,’ while closing her eyes and handing the card to Addy to read.

“Katie- it was great to see you last night. I would love to take you out tonight,” Addy read aloud. “Please don’t tell me you’re going to take him up on his offer.”

“Oh hell no!” Katie said and then mumbled, “I already have plans.”

“What was that last part? I couldn’t understand your mumbling,” Addy said.

“I said- don’t you have a client meeting to go to?”

“Yeah, Adam and I have one with the Rockies and some of their players, including Casey. But, I will find out what happened last night after we left,” Addy said opening the door.

“No you won’t, especially when nothing happened,” Katie said pushing Addy out of her office.

“Oh I have my ways,” Addy smiled walking back to her own office.

 

After the meeting with the Rockies was over, Addy and Adam were packing up their things when Addy’s twin brother, and Rockies catcher, Casey, came up to her.

“Hey you wanna grab lunch?” Casey asked.

“Yes, please! I need to pick your brain,” Addy said as the 3 of them walked out of the conference room. “Hey Adam, I’ll catch you back at the office, I’m gong to grab lunch with Casey.”

“Sounds good. I’ll see you when you get back,” Adam said just as the elevator door open.

“Okay,” Addy said, “So, where do you want to go?”

“There’s a sandwich place across the street,” Casey said. “I just have to be back at 2:00 to get ready for tonight’s game”

“Perfect!” Addy smiled, she always enjoyed lunch with her brothers, especially Casey.

After they grabbed their sandwiches, they found a table to sit at on the patio.

“Okay, so why do you want to pick my brain?” Casey asked his sister.

“Okay, so Josh is in town right?”

“Right…”

“Well, last night we went to Bliss for dinner, Alex brought Josh, since he is staying with us, and I brought Katie hoping that something will happen between the two. Well, Alex and I left around 9:00 because Alex had to get up early for work, so we left Katie and Josh there hoping something will happen, and I think something did”

“What makes you think something happened?” Casey asked taking a bite of his sandwich.

Addy took a sip of her water, “Well I think something happened because Josh didn’t get back to our place until 1 in the morning, and this morning Katie was just acting weird, she didn’t even answer my text this morning! Plus I think I heard that she had plans tonight, and Katie NEVER has plans on a Tuesday night.”

“Did Josh indicate that he had plans tonight?”

“No, but when I asked how it was and mentioned Katie’s name, he got this goofy grin on his face, but again he did say he was buzzed, so I really don’t know.”

“Well, why don’t you do what we did when we were kids, go spy on them, just like we would do on Jakob, Lukas, and Erik on their dates,” Casey suggested, reminding her of the fun they had spying on their older brothers.

Addy’s eyes got wide with excitement, “Casey! You’re a genius!”

“Of course I am! Plus it’s in your nature, as Jakob, Lukas, and Erik did the same to us, so it’s in your blood.”

“But, how exactly am I going to find out where they’re going for dinner or whatever they’re doing tonight?”

“I don’t know. Follow them from work? Tell Alex you’ll be late for dinner? There has to be a way to track her phone location,” Casey asked.

“Actually, why yes there is! The app is called ‘Find My Friends’ and I know she has it and is on my list of friends because I had to guide her to a party once, and I don’t think she ever disabled it. See she’s in her office right now,” Addy said showing Casey her phone.

“Does she know it’s on her phone, and it’s being used in the background?”

“I don’t think so, and I don’t think she even remembers having it on her phone. I think Josh has it on his phone because he’s also on my list, but I know he has his turned off because he doesn’t want people to know his location while he’s working”

“Well there you go,” Casey smiled as Addy got up and hugged him from behind.

“Thank you! Thank you! Thank You! I got get back to work though,” Addy said wrapping up the rest of her sandwich. “I love you, and I’ll text you later with what happened. Good luck tonight!” and with that Addy was already down the street on her way back to work.

While she was on her way, she texted Alex, ‘I’m going to be late for dinner, working late’ and with that she put her phone back in her bag and walked back to work with a smile on her face hoping that her and Casey’s plan will work.

 

Addy headed back to work, her brain was in overdrive thinking about her best friend dating Josh. Josh had a long stream of women. Most of them hung him out to dry, especially the last one. Then there was Katie, who hadn't dated since dumbass ripped her heart out, and the bastard still comes around. She hated the guy with a passion; there was just something about him that stirred her the wrong way. Addy truly hoped that things had sparked between Josh and Katie, as it would be good for both of them.

 

Getting back to the office she went straight to work. She could see Katie working in her own office; the flowers already in the trash, making her giggle a little.

 

It was close to 5:00 when she noticed Josh walking into their main office, her mouth hung slightly. He was picking Katie up from work. Damn. He waved to her with a large smile, and she couldn't help but wave in return. He was so cute and adorable when he looked happy. Getting up she went to her door, and leaned against the door jam.

"Evening Josh."

"Evening Addy. How are you?"

"Good, and how are you?"

"I'm doing well, just picking up Katie for dinner," he said, his cheeks going red.

"So you DO have plans tonight?"

"Yea.." He was going to say something more, but Katie walking up ended his train of thought. "Hi Katie."

"Hi Josh." Her cheeks reddened.

Swallowing thickly, he rubbed his hands together. "Are you ready?"

"Yep, I just need to get my coat and purse."

Katie tried ignoring Addy because she knew she was standing there with a large grin on her face. Quickly she went back to her office to retrieve her things, her eyes floated to the flowers in the trashcan, and cursed at them. Looking up, she looked at Josh and Addy, she didn't know where this relationship was going to go, but it had to be better then the relationship she had with Trevor, right? Closing her door she walked back over to her friends.

"Ready."

"I'll text you later Addy."

"You better! Have fun you two."

"Thank you Addy," Josh said helping Katie into her coat. "I'm starving."

"Aren't most men hungry all the time."

Laughing Josh held out his arm. "Yea, I suppose we are hungry all the time."

Taking his arm, she looked up and smiled. Josh felt like he was going to melt to the floor.

 

Addy watched them leave, then went back into her office to gather her things. Looking at her phone, she knew she should call Alex, but she decided to wait. Locking the door, she went to follow her friends because she needed to see how they acted together

Chapter 4 by daysgoby

"So how were your meetings today?" Katie asked when they were finally seated.

"They were alright, boring. How was your day?"

"Boring."

Josh looked at Katie, he watched her for a few seconds. Her eyes shinned a deep blue in the dim light, then he remembered the flowers in her office.

"Who were the flowers from, and why were they in the trash?"

He watched her face wrinkle in disguised.

"They are from that guy who came up to the table last night. My ex, Trevor."

"I'm taking things ended badly."

"Very, he's not the smartest man on this earth."

Josh clapped his hands and laughed making Katie laughed with him.

"Me and him were a bad idea."

"I got the impression Addy hates him."

"Very much so. Alex also dislikes him. So, how does a handsome men like you not have a girlfriend?"

"My job mostly. I travel a lot, and along with my ex, who took a car and ran over my heart."

"Ouch."

He quickly took a long gulp of his beer.

 

Addy took a seat at the bar; she had full view of her friends sitting at a table. They were each drinking a beer, and she could see they were enjoying themselves. It almost felt bad for spying on them, but then when her drink came and she heard Josh laugh, and that’s when she changed her mind as this was going to be fun. That’s when she got a text from Alex, Where are you? I know you’re not at your office… as you didn’t pick up your office phone.  Addy just ignored the text, and threw her phone back into her bag.

 

The waitress's walked up and took their order. Both Josh and Katie were in the mood for burgers, laughing at each other each other when they had ordered the same thing.

"So besides for loving burgers and beer. What do you like to do?"

"Hmm... That's a long list. There really isn't anything I won't do, but I love camping, hiking, swimming, and drinking," Katie said laughing.

"It's a good thing you live in Denver."

"Right, it's all here. How about you?"

"I don't mind doing what you have said, but I'll add watching football."

"Of course you would. I like watching football, football and drinking go hand and hand."

Josh laughed out loud. "Yes it does."

"So what were your meetings about?"

Taking the last gulp of his beer, he smiled. "I'm moving to Denver. They were finishing up all the details."

Katie's jaw dropped slightly. "You’re moving here?"

"Yep in the next couple of weeks."

"Wow, are you excited?"

"Yea I am, I'm really excited," Josh said smiling, then saw a familiar face in the bar trying to hide behind a menu.

"That's great Josh."

"I'll be right back," Josh said excusing himself to the bathroom.

Katie took out her phone when he disappeared, and saw there was one message.

Hope you are having fun. Addy had written.

Yes. Katie responded.

With that she put her phone back into her purse. She really was going to have to fill in her friend.

"Hi Addy." Josh said sneaking up behind her.

Addy jumped and turned around. "Shit Josh!"

"Now who's scaring who," he said with a large grin.

"Haha,” Addy said rolling her eyes.

"What are you doing here Addy?"

"I'm having a cup of water."

"You're spying."

“Me spy? No…” Addy said as Josh just stared at her. “What? I’m having a cup of water, this place is known for their water”

The bartender just looked at her, and Josh had his arms crossed over his chest, before pretending to start digging a hole.

“Will you stop doing that?” Addy asked swatting at his hands.

“I’ll stop, once you stop digging yourself a hole,” Josh said.

Katie started wondering what was taking Josh so long in the bathroom. ‘Did he die in there?’ she asked herself as she looked in the direction of the bathroom. That’s when she saw Josh talking to someone at the bar. Katie got up from the table, and walked that way to see if Josh was okay and was ready to ball him out just in case.

Once she saw whom he was talking to, she just rolled her eyes and joined the two.

“What are you doing here?” Katie asked.

“I believe she’s spying on us,” Josh said.

“Actually, I just wanted to try this places amazing water,” Addy smiled and took a sip. “Yum!” Then the bartender leaned in.

“I hope you’re going to order more than water,” the bartender said.

“Shh,” Addy said, signaling the bartender to turn around and mind his own business.

“Actually she was just leaving,” Katie said pulling Addy off her chair.

“Wait! I can explain,” Addy said.

“Okay. Explain… this better be good,” Josh said.

“It was Casey’s idea,” Addy said, hoping they would go along with it. They didn’t.

“Alright, if it’s Casey’s idea, where is he then?” Katie asked.

“Well… since he has a game tonight, he wanted me to fill in for him,” Addy smiled.

“Nope… sorry,” Josh said as the bartender interrupted their conversation.

“Wait?! You’re Casey Enstrom’s sister?”

“Yeah… so?”

“He’s one of our best customers! I knew you looked familiar, you guys kinda look alike…”

“Um yeah we’re twins… Now can you please, um, turnaround and mind your own business?” Addy smiled, and then rolled her eyes.

“How did you find us anyway?” Katie asked.

“Um…” Addy didn’t know how well this would actually go over, “Kinda followed you, and tracked your phone.”

“YOU WHAT?” Katie shouted.

“I’m calling Alex to come get you,” Josh said.

Addy sighed as Katie death glared her.

“I’m sor…” Addy started, but Katie shushed her.

“No! Don’t say anything,” Katie sternly said.

Addy just sighed and shut up, as she looked over at Josh, who was on the phone with Alex.

“Yo dude! Come get your wife,” Josh said over the phone, not letting Alex answer with the general “Hello?”

“What she do this time? Wait- don’t tell me, I don’t even want to know,” Alex said standing up from the couch and grabbing his keys.

“Just come get her.”

“Where are you guys at?”

“Corner of Blake & 17th,” Josh said reading the address off the front of the menu.

“I’ll be there in less than 5,” Alex said just as Josh hung up the phone.

Josh returned to where Addy and Katie were.

“Alex will be here in 5 minutes to pick you up,” Josh said, patting the top of Addy’s head, as she swatted his hand away. “You really did it this time.”

“But I…” Addy started.

“No, don’t say anything. You’ve already done enough,” Katie said before heading back to their table.

Addy sighed and sunk further down in her chair.

“I think you’ve outdone yourself Addy,” Josh said.

“I know,” Addy said with her head down in shame.

“What do you think you would’ve accomplished?” Josh asked.

But before Addy could answer, Alex walked into the bar. Alex couldn’t help but smile at how adorable his wife looked as she had her head down in shame.

“Hey- you ready to go?” Alex asked Addy.

“Yeah,” Addy sighed standing up. “Oh Josh just remember these 5 things: Spring Break, Freshman Year, dinner, spyers, Alex’s parents,” she said before meeting up with Alex who was at the door waiting.

“Uh? What? Whatever,” Josh said confused at what Addy was telling him, as he headed back to the table.

Addy started to wave bye to Katie, but Katie just glared at her and turned her back on Addy, who hung her head as she left with Alex.

“I can’t believe she did that,” Katie said.

“Well to be honest, I can. After knowing Addy, for as long I’ve known her, she’s done worst,” Josh said as their burgers arrived.

"I just didn't think she would spy on me." Katie said staring at her plate.

Josh shook his head. "It's Addy she loves us. They problem is she didn't mean anything about it."

"Maybe for you, but. I don't know. I've never had friends who really cared about who I have dated."

Grinning, Josh took a bite of his burger, he liked that Katie had said dated; it meant they had a chance. Looking up he could see that Katie was still thinking about it. Reaching over he took her hand into his bringing it to his lips he kissed it softly.

"Katie go back to the great time we were having."

Looking up Katie smiled. "Thank you."

Josh started them on a new conversation getting them laughing again.

 

After they were finished eating and the bill came, Katie began taking her wallet out.

"Katie what are you doing?"

"I... Sorry I'm so used to paying."

Josh shook his head on disbelief. "Seriously, this Trevor guy is on my shitlist," he said taking his wallet out and handing a credit card to the waitress.

"Yea, he's great at the ‘I forgot my wallet.’"

"He needs to turn his penis in."

Katie busted out laughing, "Addy has told him that a few times."

Josh just laughed and shook his head.

The bill came back, and Josh sighed and stood up to help Katie with her coat. She turned right to him and placed her hand on his cheek.

"Come back to my house for a beer. I'm not ready for tonight be done."

Leaning down Josh kissed her cheek. "I thought you would never ask."

Katie grinned and took his hand leading him out of the restaurant

Chapter 5 by daysgoby

"I just don't get why they're pissed off at me," Addy said as Alex unlocked their front door and both walked in. Let’s just say it was a quiet short ride home.

"Really Addy? You interrupted their date," Alex said locking the door. 

"Which I wouldn't have if they just told me what happened, this whole thing could have been avoided," Addy said dishing up herself some of the take out Alex got for dinner. 

"True," Alex said sitting on the couch and turning on the Rockies baseball game. "But, then again, maybe they wanted some more time to get to know each other without either of us butting in, just to see how they really click."

Addy rolled her eyes, as she sat next to him on the couch with her dinner. "It still doesn't matter, if they would have just told me before hand, I wouldn't have spied on them. Plus, I think he's forgotten that he did the same thing to us 15 years ago," she said raising her eyebrows and taking a bite of her dinner. 

"What are you talking about?" Alex asked not taking his eyes off the TV.

"Spring Break-Freshman year- visiting your parents - dinner - spyers," Addy hinted. 

"Again, I don't know what you're talking about," he said looking at her, while she continued to eat

Addy rolled her eyes, but she wasn’t all that surprised when Alex wouldn’t remember what went on that night. 

"We went out to dinner with your parents my first ever night in town and Josh, Blake, and Taylor were at the restaurant spying on us because they wanted to know if I was a real person or an imaginary girlfriend that you were making up."

"Oh... ohhh," Alex said as he suddenly remembered that night. "That's right, and then after they revealed themselves, or we discovered them, my parents invited them to join us."

"Exactly, so I don't know why this is any different than what he did back then." 

"Well first of all, we were what 18/19 years old back then, and now we're in our 30s and shouldn't be doing those things." 

"Yeah, but we still do it to Casey and his dates."

"That's different Addy, we all know Casey's dating streak, plus he tells us to be there so we can be his scapegoat for when the date goes spiraling down into the ground." 

"Whatever, if they're mad at me, they're mad at me, and I can't do anything about it," Addy said putting her plate on the coffee table, and snuggling unto Alex to watch the end of the baseball game. "Plus, I don't know why I do it." 

"I think it's because you care deeply or your friends, and just want to see everyone happy, which is one of the reasons why I fell in love with you," Alex said kissing Addy on the top of her head, which was resting on his chest. 

Addy just smiled as she closed her eyes and fell asleep, as Alex watched the baseball game. 

 

Around midnight, Alex’s text message alert kept going off, causing Addy to wake up and notice they both fell asleep on the couch with the TV still on. The alert went off again, so she woke Alex.

“Hey your phone is going off,” Addy said as she kept hitting him on the arm.

“Huh? What?” Alex said trying to wake up.

“Your phone is going off. I thought you weren’t on call this week,” Addy said turning off the TV, and taking the dinner plate she had put on the coffee table into the kitchen and putting it in the sink before heading into the bedroom.

“I’m not on call,” Alex said looking at his phone and following Addy into the bedroom, “They’re messages from Josh.”

Addy rolled her eyes, as she was getting ready for bed.

“So you’re not going to say anything or even ask about the messages? “

“Nope,” she said heading into the bathroom to brush her teeth, even though it was killing her inside- she really did want to know. She had some idea since Josh wasn’t back yet from the date.

“But it’s killing you inside to know huh?” Alex smiled, as he leaned against the door jam of the bathroom.

Addy looked in the mirror and saw Alex smiling back at her.

“Is it that obvious?” Addy asked turning around to face him.

“Coming from you? Yes,” Alex smiled, “You just have the ‘I really want to know, but kinda don’t want to know’ look going on.”

Addy sighed, “I can’t help it!”

Alex took her in for a hug. “I know, I know. Well here’s my phone- read them. I won’t get mad at you for doing it, because then you’ll get some sleep instead of you over thinking it and not get any sleep at all,” he said handing her his phone, as he then started brushing his teeth.

Addy took the phone with a smiled and got into bed. She wanted to read them; she really did, but couldn’t bring herself to open the messages.

Alex finished in the bathroom, turned off the light, and got into bed next to Addy. “Did you read them?”

“No, I can’t bring myself to do it. You should read them for me, and tell me what they say,” Addy said handing the phone back to Alex.

“Um okay… Let’s see… ‘Staying at Katie’s tonight… no need for a ride to the airport… Katie will give spare key to Addy at work,’” Alex read as another one popped up. “Will grab my stuff on way to airport and will lock up.”

“That’s it?” asked Addy

“That’s it,” Alex replied putting his phone away

“Well I’m glad they hit if off, but if I have to see or hear from Trevor again, you might have to come bail me out of jail,” Addy said as she got comfortable in bed and Alex’s arms went around her pulling her closer to him.

“Uh huh,” Alex said as he fell asleep, with Addy not far behind.


Chapter 6 by daysgoby

The next morning, parking the car in short term parking Katie followed Josh into the airport. They stopped at the small cafe before airport security getting a coffee and muffin. They had spent an amazing evening together. Josh took Katie's hand softly.

"I really had a great time Katie."

"I really had a great time too. I wish you weren't leaving."

"Me too, but I'll be back soon."

"I hope so," she said looking up and smiling.

Putting his hand gently on her cheek, he leaned in and kissed her softly.

"I will call you."

"Travel safe."

Putting her hand around his waist she moved closer. She hugged him tightly, going against everything in her head. She could have a chance of never seeing him again. Taking a deep breath, she pulled away trying everything to keep her emotions in check.

"I have to get going to work."

"Ok."

"Thank you for the past couple of days."

"It was my pleasure, thank you for last night."

Katie smiled. "It was my pleasure."

One last kiss and hug then Katie forced herself to walk away. She took one last look to Josh going thru security, and then walked out of the airport heading to her car.

 

Around 10:30 a.m., Addy was knee deep in paperwork, when Katie walked into her office with a smile.

“Here’s your key,” Katie said putting the key on the desk.

Addy grabbed the key, “Thanks.”

Katie was worried about this one, Addy never just said one-word answers to her, and so she took a seat across Addy. “Aren’t you going to ask how last night went?”

“No, not really,” Addy said as Katie felt her forehead to make sure she wasn’t sick.

“Are you feeling okay?”

Addy removed Katie’s hand, “I’m fine, plus I didn’t think I had to ask how last night went after seeing your smile this morning, plus I also kinda figured what happened from Josh’s text to Alex last night. I also didn’t want to butt in after I know how pissed off you guys were last night.”

Before Katie could respond, the receptionist came into Addy’s office.

“Oh good, Katie, you are here. You have a visitor,” the receptionist said.

“I’m not expecting anyone until later this afternoon,” Katie said as she looked at Addy, who just shrugged in response.

“I know there’s something going on with you Addy, and I will find out what it is. You can’t get rid of me that quickly,” Katie said as she left Addy’s office and headed into her own.

Before she walked into the door, she stopped dead in her tracks.

“Trevor, what are you doing here?”

Addy peaked out of her office, and was sort of able to see inside Katie’s, and she saw that Katie did indeed have a visitor, and it was Trevor.

“I just wanted to take you out to lunch, so we can talk about things,” Trevor said grabbing one of Katie’s hands.

Katie quickly took her hand back from Trevor’s grip, “I don’t think so Trev.”

“Oh come on its just lunch, nothings going to happen,” Trevor said flashing his charming smile. “My treat.”

Katie was never one to say no to ‘free’ food, so she agreed, plus he was right, they needed to talk.

Katie sighed. “Fine… let’s go,” she said as she grabbed her purse.

“Great!” Trevor said guiding her out of the office.

Addy saw what happened and quickly texted Alex, even though he would most likely not see it for a couple of hours. 

Katie went to lunch with Trevor- not jumping to conclusions just yet… but interesting

And to her surprise, Alex actually replied.

Good- don’t be jumping to conclusions… jumping is bad

**

"What do you want Trevor?" Katie asked watching him carefully. She really didn't know why she was sitting across from him.

"Can't a man have lunch with a friend?"

"We aren't friends Trevor."

"Aww Katie that hurts. I thought we could be friends."

"So no flavor of the month?"

"Man you act like I'm a slut."

"If the shoe fits."

"Come on Kate, let's just have a nice lunch, please."

Katie eyed him. She really never figured out what she saw in him, and all she could think about was Josh.

"Fine."

 

About an hour later, Katie came marching into Addy’s office and slammed the door, causing Addy to jump in her chair, as Katie threw herself onto the loveseat with her arms across her chest, and fire in her eyes.

Once Addy’s heartbeat returned to a normal pace, she looked at Katie, “So, I’m taking it that lunch didn’t go so well?”

“That would be the understatement of the year- it was the worse lunch in the history of lunches! I don’t even know why I agreed to go!”

“Because you fell for his charm again, probably offered to pay, and you can never turn down ‘free’ food,” Addy said knowing she was spot on, and Katie rolled her eyes.

“That wasn’t even the worse part! I ended up paying because he “forgot” his wallet,” Katie said.

“So why did you even agree to go to lunch with him?”

“Because I thought we could talk, and I would finally get it through his non-existent brain that it’s over for us and has been for the last 2 years!” Katie said “And, I told him it’s almost getting to the point of legal action”

“And what was his reaction?”

“He just kinda laughed, and that’s when the bill came…”

“And he made you pay,” Addy said finishing Katie’s sentence.

“I kinda wish you were there, I would have given you permission to punch him straight in his pesky little face,” Katie said, smiling at the thought.

“Um after last nights incident? I don’t think so,” Addy said.

“Which by the way, after thinking about what happened last night, I’m not mad at you for what you did,” Katie said.

Addy looked up from the papers she was going through, “You’re not mad?”

Katie smiled, “Well kinda, but after thinking about what did happen. I’m lucky to have a friend, who cares about me that much to actually make sure I would be okay, even though you’ve known Josh longer, it still felt nice, plus you’re really the only one who knows about the string of crap dates I’ve been on lately, and you were there during the Trevor ordeal, so I kinda forgive you for last night- keyword kinda,” Katie said.

Adrea got up from her desk and sat on the loveseat next to Katie and hugged her. “Thank You! Plus even though I’ve known Josh longer than I’ve known you, I would still punch him if he ever did or does anything to hurt you,” Addy said as Katie took in the hug. “Plus, I’m guessing that he didn’t tell you about a similar incident that involved him, some of Alex’s other friends, Alex, and I did he?”

"No he didn't, but I did get some other great stories about you"

Addy laughed. "Oh great, but we used to spy on each other all the time. The first time… let’s see it was Freshman year at BU, spring break week Alex and I went up to his parents in Vermont, and it was my first time meeting them. Well we go out to dinner the first night, and in the middle of dinner, we find Josh and 2 of Alex’s other friends spying on us because they thought Alex was making up that he had a girlfriend, and they wanted to see if it was true. Well after we found them in a nearby plant hiding, Alex’s mom asked them to join us at dinner. "

Katie laughed while shaking her head. "I forgot that you guys have know each for awhile."

"Josh is a good guy."

"I like him Addy, I really like him."

“That’s good because I believe he likes you, and you guys would be good together,” Addy smiled.


Chapter 7 by daysgoby

A few weeks later-

Katie walked into Addy’s office and sat on the loveseat with a sigh, a smile, and just looking and texting on her phone, then she started to giggle

“What are you giggling about, or do I even have to guess?”

Katie just looked at her and smiled, “Just Josh.”

“Of course.” Addy rolled her eyes, “Why are you in my office?”

“Trying to hide from the new receptionist, she keeps asking about Trevor, and I just want to slap her”

“Why? If you hook them up, he would get off your back.”

“Great idea!” Katie said standing up, and as her text alert went off.

She smiled again, “Aww… look what he sent,” Katie said showing Addy her phone.

Addy faked a smile towards her friend; this whole thing was starting to get on her nerves.

“Oh do you have plans tonight?”

“Kinda… Why?”

Addy just looked at her.

“I really do have plans tonight- so stop looking at me like that. But why are you asking?”

“Oh we just have the suite tonight at the Rockies game, and wanted to see if you wanted to come. Lukas will be there, and that way you can ask him all your legal questions regarding Trevor.”

“Oh, yeah sorry. Some girlfriends from college are in town, so we’re going to grab drinks tonight.”

“Wait! Hold on… you have other friends?”

“Yeah, I’ve got to supplement your annoyingness somehow,” Katie laughed as she left the office and Addy threw a crumpled up piece of paper at her.

As Katie left, Addy called up Alex, as it was one of his days off after a 50-hour straight shift, and was probably asleep.

“Ufff “ Alex answered.

“Oh good, you’re awake,” Addy giggled.

“Very funny, why are you calling me when you know I’m asleep?”

“Because it’s fun! Anyway Katie won’t be joining us tonight at the game.”

“Okay… does she have plans or something?”

“She does- meeting some college friends I guess.”

“Wait- she has more friends just you?”

“Apparently! But she’s starting to get on my nerves. Every time I see her, it’s ‘Oh look what Josh sent… oh Josh just said the funniest thing.. Josh this… Josh that’ All day long! And I don’t know how much more of it I can take before I loose it.”

Alex started to laugh; Addy’s pregnancy hormones were starting to shine. “So maybe it’s a good thing she isn’t coming tonight.”

“I don’t know,” Addy said "I'm kinda mad she's choosing to go out them instead of with us."

"Oh Addy." Alex said shaking his head. "Don't let it bother you. I will see you in a bit."

"Alright."

"Love you."

"Love you too."

Hanging up Addy went right to work. She wasn't having pregnancy hormones, at least that’s what she kept telling herself, but her friend was just driving her nuts. For the rest of the day, she decided to ignore Katie and just concentrate on her job.

 

Katie was gone by the time Addy come out of her office to go home. She was a little sad she couldn't say goodbye, but then remembered she had ignored her all day. Shaking her head, she headed home to her husband, before heading to the baseball game. 

 

"Yay Katie is here," Bella shrieked.

"Hey Bella, Faith."

"Girl we have missed you," Bella said giving her a big hug.

"I've missed you too. What's up girls?"

"Not a whole lot, just working."

"We need drinks."

Katie knew her friends, and knew she wouldn't be walking out sober.

Soon they were at a table, drinks in hand and conversation going. Katie told them all about Trevor and Josh, and in turn she listened to her friends complain about their first world problems.

Faith made sure that the drinks stayed flowing, just like Katie had expected to her to.

"Well hello Katie."

Katie cringed at the voice. "What do you want Trevor?"

"This is Trevor?" Faith said looking him up and down. "Girl, he's hot."

Trevor grinned widely. "May I order you girls a refill?"

"No," Katie said quickly.

"Are you insane? Yes, please and come join us," Bella said moving over.

Trevor's grin couldn't get any bigger. He sat down next to Bella as he flagged down the waitress and ordered then refills. Katie only glared at Trevor. This was not how she wanted to spend her evening, looking down at her phone she had wished that she had gone with Addy to the game.

"Katie!" Faith said getting her attention.

"What?"

"What does Josh do?"

"I don't know, I haven't asked. I just know he travels a lot."

"What kind of guy doesn't tell you what his job is?" Trevor asked raising his eyebrows.

"What's it to you? At least he doesn't go out and sleep with the next blond he sees, or can actually not forget his wallet."

"It was a few times and I made up for them. I never cheated on you."

"I highly doubt that. So where's your flavor of the month?"

"I'm not seeing anyone right now."

Katie laughed, "I highly doubt that."

"So what do you do Trevor?" Bella asked.

"I'm a firefighter."

"Oh my gosh! You have quiet a job," Bella said taking a drink.

"Yea, it's a pretty dangerous one, but I love doing it."

"You never told us that Katie!!” Faith said giving her friend a look.

"Must have slipped my mind," Katie said looking over at her ex, she wanted to smack him.

"I have an idea! Let's go to the bar and get some shots."

"No!" Katie said admittedly.

"Yes,” Faith and Bella exclaimed.

Dragging Katie, they headed to the bar. This was starting to not be fun, but soon they were giggling and laughing and telling crazy stories of their collage years.

Lord the room was starting to spin, Katie thought staring at the bar. Trevor was telling another stupid joke. Taking her phone out of her purse, she squinted looking at the time it was almost three. Shit. She had to go to work in a few hours. Pressing a speed dial she waited, no one picked up, so she tried it again.

"This better be good." Addy sleepy voice said.

"Please come get me."

"Your drunk, get a cab."

"Please Addy?" She begged.

"Who you talking to?" Trevor whispered in her ear.

"Is that Trevor?" Addy exclaimed. "You are digging your own grave Katie."

"I don't want to be here. Please Addy?" Katie begged again.

"Ok, where are you?"

"MJ Tavern."

"Fine… I'll be right there."

"Thank you."

"Wait outside."

"Ok."

Putting her phone in her purse, she stood up straight. "It's been a blast girls, but I have to go.”"

"One more shot Katie," Bella giggled.

"No, that's alright. I have to go. It was good seeing you, but I have to be at work in a couple of house," Katie said with a hiccup.

"Katie, don't leave now. I can always take you to work," Trevor said moving closer to her.

"Get away from me Trevor. I hate you."

She grabbed her purse and started making her way to the door. Trevor followed and wrapped his arm around her waist from behind.

"I'll take you home."

"No!" She exclaimed. "Addy is coming to get me."

"I've missed…"

"Oh fuck off," she said pushing him off her. "Leave me the fuck alone."

Katie was able to stumble out of the bar. When the cold air hit her face, she breathed a sigh of relief. Looking around she waited, and her head was spinning.

 

Few minutes later, Addy pulled up to the curve. She shook her head at her friend who was really drunk. Getting out she walked up to Katie.

"Don't you know to stay away from the shots?"

"Addy, please?” Katie slurred.

"Come on you pain in the ass," Addy said pulling at Katie's arm.

Addy looked over at the giggling girls who were walking out, and then she saw Trevor. Fucking bastard she thought. Ignoring the feeling of going over to beat the living shit out of him, she helped Katie into the car.

"I will kill you if you throw up in my Tribeca."

"I promise I won't."

Putting the car in drive, Addy headed towards Katie's apartment.

"So, you wanna explain?"

"We were just sitting there talking and having a few drinks, but he just showed up and put on his charm. My blockhead friends fell for it. I tried getting out of there, but they just wouldn't let me go. He kept ordering shots. Lord, I had so much."

"You better be to work on time for that meeting," Addy said shaking her head.

"I will be."

Addy shook her head. "Well that was stupid."

"I know that it was. Oh the car is spinning."

"Katie, I freaking mean it."

"I won't I swear. Just get me home."

"I'm working on it."

Pulling into the apartment complex, Addy parked in a spot near Katie’s apartment building.

"Ok you're here."

"Thank you."

Opening the door, Katie stumbled out of the Subaru Tribeca while Addy watched and laughed a little. Katie could never hold the hard shit. Getting out of the driver’s side, Addy grabbed Katie’s purse and took her keys out. She spent the next hour getting her friend into bed, while Katie of course was in the bathroom throwing up. Making Addy laugh even harder. When she finally got her in bed, Katie mumbled thank you and fell asleep. Looking over she noticed Katie's phone light up, it was Trevor, shaking her head as she left.

 

"Where were you?" Alex asked when she came back to bed.

"Katie got drunk and needed a ride."

"Oh boy, I take it she had quite a night," He mumbled cuddling up to her.

"I guess so, didn't get much details. She was to busy puking her guts out."

"Wow she was that drunk?"

"Oh yea, that girl should stay away from the hard shit but she never does. Tomorrow is going to be very long."

Not getting a response from her sleeping husband, annoyed Addy slammed her eyes shut hoping to get a few more hours of sleep.

Chapter 8 by daysgoby

Addy showed up to the office bright and early with 2 cups of coffee. She knew she really wasn't supposed to have it, but well one wasn't going to kill her or her baby. She was a little surprised to see Katie already sitting at her desk, and she looked like a truck ran her over.

"Well I'm surprised you are all ready here."

"After you left, I threw up some more, and I just kind of got ready for work."

"You haven't slept yet?"

"Is that for me?"

"Ah.. Yea."

"Thank you so much," she said taking it. "Addy, thank you for coming to get me. You don't know how much that meant to me."

"You're just lucky I love you."

"Really thank you," Katie said getting up and giving her a big hug. "How do I look ready for the meeting?"

"Katie you still look drunk."

"Shit! I really tried doing my make up perfect so I didn't. I drank a ton of water the last couple of hours."

"I'm sorry girl, but you still look like shit."

Katie sighed sadly and grabbed her folders. "Well wish me luck."

"Good luck and don't worry about how you look. You will do great," Addy said with a smile.

"Thanks Addy. I'll catch you later."

"Chin up girl, you can do it."

Katie only gave her a half smile then walked out. Addy couldn't help but shake her head then left to her office.

 

"Katie make it in to work?" Alex asked as soon as Addy answered the phone.

"Yes she was here before I even got in."

"Oh wow! I was totally expecting her to be late."

"I guess she puked her guts out some more when I left, and just never went to bed."

"Damn, she had to have looked like shit."

"She did, I felt bad. I really need to sit her down and talk to her. She was with Trevor. For god sakes she has something good going and she went out and got drunk with Trevor."

"I think Katie knows she has something good going with Josh. I think we should really hear her side of the story."

"She said that Trevor just walked up and started buying them drinks."

"That doesn't sound like her wanting to be with Trevor."

"No, it doesn't."

"Katie told you that she really liked Josh. She knows Trevor is an asshole. You said it yourself that she said she hates him."

"Yea I know, hopefully she makes it through her meeting."

"I hope text me later."

"I will. Love you."

"Love you too."

Smiling Addy hung up her phone and went back to work.

 

It was well past lunchtime by the time Katie walked back into her office, and damn she was tired.  She heard someone knock on her door and thought it would be Addy, but when she looked up, she groaned loudly, it was Trevor.

"What do you want Trevor?"

"I called you last night,” Trevor said walking into her office.

"Thanks to you, well I was a little out of it.”

"Aww Katie, I thought we had fun."

"You had fun you jackass. Now just get out of here."

"Come on now Katie," he said walking closer to her.

"Trevor just leave."

He slowly ran his finger down her cheek; he bent down slowly and kissed her cheek.

"Katie…"

Katie's eyes snapped up. "Josh."

"Have I interrupted something?" Josh asked standing in the door way

"No, no Trevor was just leaving," Katie stuttered.

“Actually, I wanted to see…” Trevor started.

“Hold that thought, I’ll be back,” Katie said leaving her office and running to Addy’s office.

Once she got to Addy’s, she slammed her hands on the desk while leaning towards Addy, making her jump in her chair.

“You have to stop doing that,” Addy said holding her chest.

“Help me!” Katie said freaking out.

“Why? What did you do?” Addy asked, leaning back in her chair.

“They’re both here…”

“Who?” Addy asked, then it dawned on her, and she started laughing.

“Stop it!” Katie said pointing at Addy. “What am I supposed to do?”

Addy just kept on laughing as she stood up, “I’m sorry, but this is funny”

“Will you stop laughing and help me?”

Addy stopped laughing. “What do you want me to do?” she asked following Katie back to her office

“Get rid of Trevor! I even give you extra permission to punch him!”

“Yes!” Addy said as they walked into Katie’s office.

“Trevor…”

“Addy…”

“What are you doing here? Do you even work anymore?”

“Yes I still work, and I just wanted to say hi.”

“Alright well you said hi, so you can now leave,” Addy said crossing her arms over her chest.

“I’m not done…”

“Oh, I think you are,” Addy said getting ready to punch him in the face, but she felt someone grab her arm.

“Addy- don’t,” Josh said.

“Come on! I’ve been waiting 2 years to punch this asshole in the face,” Addy whined.

“And you can wait just a little longer,” Josh said. “Plus he isn’t worth it.”

“Errr,” Addy said. “Trevor, come with me, you’re leaving.” She started to push Trevor out of the office

“Who says?” Trevor said resisting Addy’s push.

“Me, Katie, and Security,” Addy said. “So we can either make this easy and I can walk you out, or go the hard way and call security.”

“Trevor- just leave. Josh and I need to talk,” Katie sighed.

“Fine,” Trevor said, knowing another way to get to Katie. He then walked out of the office with Addy.

“You look like shit,” Josh said to Katie.

“Gee, no shit Sherlock,” Katie said sitting in her chair.

**

“Bye Trevor,” the receptionist smiled as Addy and Trevor were leaving.

“Bye Lexi,” Trevor smiled making Addy gag as they got onto the elevator and made their way to the building lobby.

Trevor then walked out of the building, and that’s when Addy went over the security guard desk.

“You see that guy that just left?”

“Yeah,” one of the security guards said.

“Don’t let him back in the building ever,” Addy said.

“Okay, what’s his name?”

“Trevor Bratcher. I’ll send you guys an email with a photo of him when I get back to my office,” Addy said.

“Thanks Addy,” the other security guard said.

“No, thank you!” Addy smiled and headed back to her office, but not before stopping at the receptionist desk.

“Lexi, if I you ever let Trevor past the elevator, I will personally see that you are no longer employed here are at any marketing and advertising firm in Denver or in any other city, and that includes all the major sports leagues and teams. You hear me loud and clear?” Addy said getting into Lexi’s face

“Yeah, sure whatever,” Lexi said not really caring and just continued to file her nails.

“I said, do you hear me loud and clear?” Addy said taking her hand and forcing Lexi to look at her

“Crystal,” Lexi said, than rolled her eyes.

“God, you’re such a ditz,” Addy mumbled as she walked back into the office.

**

Back in Katie’s office, Katie was still feeling the wrath of the night before.

“I think I’m gonna be sick again,” Katie said sitting in her chair.

“Here,” Josh said handing Katie a trash can just as Addy walked in.

“Still not feeling well?” Addy smirked.

Katie just shook her head, ‘no.’

“Girl, don’t you know you can’t hold shots?” Addy asked shaking her head, just as Katie threw up in the trashcan.

“Come on, you’re going home,” Josh said as he gathered Katie’s things so she can go home for the rest of the afternoon.

“I don’t wanna move. Everything starts spinning when I stand up,” Katie mumbled not wanting to stand up.

“How did you get through this morning?” Addy asked.

Katie just looked at her, “I don’t know…”

“I’ll help you get back to your place,” Josh said as Addy snickered before heading to her office.

 

Chapter 9 by daysgoby

**The Next Morning**

“So you and Josh alright after yesterday?” Addy asked Katie, who was working on meeting notes for later that day.

“Yeah, we had a good talk after I finished puking more of my guts out and I started filling better again,” Katie smiled, just as their bossed yelled for Addy.

“Addy!” Jim Ashworth yelled from his office.

Addy just rolled her eyes and stood up.

“Whatcha do this time?” Katie snickered.

“Kinda threatened Lexi with her job,” Addy shrugged and leaned against Katie’s door.

“Yes?” Addy smiled as she saw Lexi leave Jim’s office.

“My office please,” Jim said as Addy waved bye to Katie and headed to Jim’s office.

This wasn’t the first time Addy got called into one of the boss’s office. Sure, she has a temper, but that’s part of what makes her so good at her job, and one of the best in the business.

“What do you want Jim?” Addy smiled taking a seat across from Jim. She had some idea of why she was in Jim’s office, and that it probably had to do something with Lexi, but it was nothing she wasn’t worried about.

“How you doing Addy?” Jim asked.

“Fine…” Addy said. “Just get to the chase Jim, what do you want?”

“Did you threaten Lexi?” Jim asked.

Addy sighed, “I kinda threatened her job.”

“What do you mean kinda?”

“I said that if she keeps letting Trevor, Katie’s ex who keeps stalking her, I will personally see that she gets fired,” Addy simply stated.

“Okay. Well her mom, who is also my big sister, called and said you threatened Lexi’s life,” Jim said.

Addy busted out laughing. “I’m sorry, but nope, just threatened her job. The only life I would threaten right now is the life of Trevor, and he’s the only one.”

“Okay. Well you know the drill. I do need to write you up, so just sign here,” Jim said handing Addy her written warning to sign. “And then just head home for the rest of the day. You know, its just protocol.”

“Yep, I know,” Addy said signing the paper, this wasn’t her first rodeo, so she knew the drill.

“So this Trevor guy, is he the one who Katie went to lunch with and she ended up paying, and also keeps showing up out of the blue.”

“That’s the one, he’s been stalking her from the moment we say him at dinner a few weeks ago. So yesterday, he came to see Katie, and I escorted him out of the building, then told security not to let him into this building, and I emailed them his name and photo,” Addy said.

“Great, he sounds like a douche. Oh, and if Lexi does let him into his office, I gladly give you permission to fire her,” Jim said

“Really?” Addy asked raising an eyebrow.

“Yeah, even though she’s my niece, I don’t like her or her mother, and have been looking for an excuse to get rid of her,” Jim said.

“Sounds great! I liked the receptionist we had before her, too bad her boyfriend got transferred to Florida and she had to leave 2 weeks ago. But I will you see you tomorrow,” Addy said.

“Yep, and we have that major client presentation meeting tomorrow at 8 a.m.,” Jim said.

“Yes, already on it! I will see you then,” Addy smiled as she left his office, and Jim’s phone rang

“Did you fire her?” the person on the other end asked.

Jim started laughing. “No. I’m not going to fire one of my best senior account directors Nancy,” Jim said.

“But she threatened your niece’s life.”

“Actually she didn’t,” Jim said. “She just threatened Lexi’s job, which I’m fine with because frankly she sucks at her job Nancy, and with that I’m done with this conversation,” Jim said hanging up the phone.

**

“So you got written up and sent home huh?” Katie said.

“Yep, just like ever other time I’ve been written up,” Addy said gathering her things, so she can head home for the day, and really just work from home for the rest of the day. “So I’ll just you text you later.”  

“Sounds good. Josh is going to look for a new place again, and I’m just going to tag along,” Katie said.

“Tag along?” Addy questioned raising an eyebrow.

“Well, someone’s got to stir him from the ghetto areas in town,” Katie said.

“Um hm,” Addy smiled.

“It’s true! You know what, just head home and I’ll text you later,” Katie laughed as Addy followed her out of her office

“Sounds good,” Addy said as she locked her office and headed home.

As Addy was leaving, she talked past Lexi.

“Oh Addy, I’m sorry to see you be leaving your job,” Lexi said.

“Don’t get too excited, I’m not fired,” Addy said. “Jim would never fire me, he just doesn’t have the heart, but as for you, well that’s another story.”

And with that the elevator doors closed in front of Addy.


Chapter 10 by daysgoby

*THE NEXT DAY*

Josh walked into Pikes Peak Advertising and headed straight to a familiar office.

He walked in and saw Katie rushing to gather some of her things.

“Hey,” Josh smiled.

Katie jumped a little, as she wasn’t expecting anyone.

“Hi,” she smiled turning to face him.

“Do you want to grab lunch?”

“I would love too, but I have a client lunch, that I’m actually 5 minutes late for,” Katie smiled as her and Josh left her office.

“Well hurry up then,” Josh said playfully pushing Katie towards the door.

“Go ask Addy about lunch, she might be available,” Katie shouted as she left.

Josh then made his way to Addy’s office, and leaned against the office door. “Hey!”

“Hi,” Addy replied looking at him funny. “What are you doing here?”

“I was going to take Katie out to lunch, but I guess she had a client lunch. So…” he said taking a seat on the love seat.

“So…”

“So- do you wanna go to lunch?” he smiled.

“Um…”

“Come on it’s my treat”

“Fine,” Addy sighed.

He then handed her his business card.

“What’s this?” Addy asked looking at the card.

“My new business card!” Josh smiled.

“So you’re Denver official official then?”

“Yep!” Josh said. “All my stuff is officially on it’s way, found the perfect place the other day, and signed the paperwork this morning!"

“That’s great Josh! I’m so proud of you!” Addy smiled, as she put the card on her desk.

“Thanks!” Josh said.

“But you’re not going to pull the ‘I forgot my wallet’ thing during lunch are you?”

“Um no…” Josh said standing up. “Plus, when have I ever done that?”

“Never that I’ve seen, but who knows,” Addy shrugged grabbing her stuff and following Josh out of the office.

“So why are you doing this?” Addy asked.

“Because I was bored, and had nothing else going on, plus Katie already had plans,” Josh said.

“Gotcha,” Addy said as they walked into Panera Bread.

“So you already know what you want?” Josh asked.

“Just a broccoli cheddar bread bowl and water would be great, and I’ll go find a seat,” Addy smiled.

“Okay,” Josh said, and then went onto order their food, then went to go sit down.

“So what’s up?” Addy asked.

“Nothing… What’s up with you?” Josh replied.

“Did you ever figure out what I was talking about a few weeks ago with the clues of Spring Break-Freshman year- spyers,” Addy smiled.

“Nope” Josh said taking a sip of his soda.

Addy rolled her eyes – Typical Josh- “Alright, never mind then…”

“Now, I want to know what you’re talking about.”

“Fine- remember when Alex and I were in town for Spring Break our freshman year, and you, Taylor, and Blake all wanted to know if I was real or if Alex was making me up…”

“Ohh… oh yeah,” Josh said as it finally dawned on him what happened.

“Exactly! So I just want it to be known that I’m not the first one to spy on dates,” Addy said.

“Point taken,” Josh said as their food came.

“Thank You- now have you told Katie what you do yet?”

“Nope,” Josh said. “Not ready too, but thinking of doing it tonight, maybe, we’ll see.”

“You know she’ll find out eventually… it’s called Google.”

“Yeah I know… but you should see the funniest thing she sent me,” Josh said showing her his phone.

Addy rolled her eyes and faked a smile, ‘please say this isn’t going to happen again,’ she thought before saying, “Funny” at what Josh was showing her.

“Oh and she said the cutest thing over the phone the other day,” Josh started.

“If you keep doing the Katie sent me this cute thing… or Katie said the most adorable thing crap. I’m going to start hitting you.”

“Yeah right,” Josh laughed, knowing Addy would never act on it

“Just try me,” Addy smiled.

“Well the other day Katie emailed me the best cat gif,” Josh smiled as Addy punched him in the arm.

“Ouch,” Josh said rubbing his arm, as Addy just smiled at him. “I was hoping to take Katie with me to help me find my new place.”

Addy punched him again.

“Will you stop?”

“Nope,” she said sitting back in her chair.

“Well Katie… Katie… Katie,” Josh smiled.

Addy punched him three more times, and on the last punch somehow her fist connected with his nose, which started bleeding, and swelling up.

“Shit! Addy!”

“You wanted to try me and you did, so this is your own fault,” Addy said. “Come on, I’ll take you to the ER.”

They both left the restaurant, Josh with a napkin to his nose and Addy with the keys to his rental car, who was also texting Katie – Taking Josh to the ER- might be back late from lunch. Don’t worry he’s fine- will tell you more later

Chapter 11 by daysgoby

A few minutes later, they arrived at the ER and were processed; soon they were taken back into a room. Josh was holding his nose as Addy giggled to herself, only to receive Josh’s death glares.

As they were waiting for the doctor, they heard someone pick up Josh’s chart and start laughing. Addy knew that laugh anywhere, Alex’s, she had to smirk at herself.

Alex opened the curtain, and started laughing again at the sight in front of him. Even though his specialty is pediatric emergency, one of the nurses told him Addy and some other guy was here, so he told them he would take care of this one.

“Dude! Stop laughing,” Josh said glaring at him.

“I’m sorry! But I knew eventually this day would happen, but didn’t realize it would be today. So what happen, because this story ought to be good.”

“Josh tested me, and I aced it,” Addy said.

“Um, you know better than to test her Josh. You do remember she grew up with 4 brothers and played college hockey,” Alex said as he started to look at Josh’s nose. “And sorry to tell you buddy, but it’s broken, and it looks like we’ll get some x-rays done too, just to make sure she didn’t break anything else. So the x-ray tech will be down soon to come get you,” Alex said snickering.

A few minutes later, the x-ray tech came down and got Josh for his x-ray. After he was gone, Alex had to know more details of what happened.

“So what actually happened?” Alex asked sitting down in the chair next to Addy.

“We were at lunch, and he was doing the ‘Oh, Katie said this adorable thing… Katie sent me this cute email,’ and I told him if he kept doing it I would hit him. So, he kept doing it and every time I would punch him in the arm, and on the last one somehow my fist connected with his nose,” Addy shrugged. “Like I said, he tested me and I aced the test. I’m telling you Alex; my patience is wearing thin with these two. But we’re still on for dinner tonight right? You get off around 7:00ish.”

“Yep granted there’s no mass incident. Do you know where you want to go, it’s your week to choose?”

“I don’t know yet, maybe pasta?” Addy said as Alex nodded in agreement. “Oh by the way, Josh still hasn’t told Katie what he does.”

“Not surprising,” Alex said, just as Josh came back from his x-rays and the tech gave Alex the x-rays.

“Thanks. Now let’s look at the damage Addy has done to Josh,” Alex said putting the x-rays on the light box. “Alright, so just as I thought it’s indeed broken, but good news is that she didn’t break anything else.”

“Oh yeah that’s great news,” Josh said sarcastically.

“Just shut up,” Addy said, slapping him upside the head.

“Will you two stop it? You two are worse than some of the kids that came in here. But Josh, I need you to stay still, so I can set your nose, so this might hurt a little,” Alex said grabbing Josh’s nose and setting it.

“FUUUUUUCCCCCKKK!” Josh screamed as Alex set his nose.

“Alright, so maybe it hurt more than a little.”

“Uh, ya think?”

“You’re such a wuss,” Addy said.

“You think I’m a wuss, come here and I show you who’s the wuss,”Josh said.

“Been there, done that.”

“Addy! Josh! Stop it! So I need you to wear this for a week,” Alex said as he started to splint the nose. “And at night, I need you to wear this.” Alex handed Josh a hard brace to wear.

“Yeah, I’m not wearing that,” Josh said.

“Then your nose won’t heal, and if your nose doesn’t heal than you’ll have to have surgery,” Alex said as he held the brace.

“Fine, I’ll wear it!” Josh said snatching it from Alex’s hand.

“Then as soon as you get home, you need to check in with your regular primary care doctor,” Alex said taking off his gloves.  “But for now, just take Tylenol to help ease the pain and swelling”

That’s when they heard a shutter sound, and saw Addy with a huge grin and her phone out.

“Did you just take a photo?” Josh asked.

“Yeah, Katie asked what happened, and so I thought a picture would best describe what happened,” Addy said.

“Alex, your wife might soon be six feet under,” Josh mumbled.

“Addy, waiting room now,” Alex said as Addy made her way to the waiting room.

“Just drop her off back at her office and go back to your hotel, Katie’s, or wherever you’re staying and just rest. You need to lay low and rest up at least a week,” he said handing Josh his discharge papers

“Yeah, yeah,” Josh mumbled as he went go join Addy in the waiting room, but found her waiting outside his rental car in the parking lot.

“You’re DEAD!” Josh said as he got into the passenger seat.

“Oh you wouldn’t kill me, you love me too much,” Addy smirked as she started the car and they headed back to her office.

“Yeah, well that’s changing right now,” Josh said closing his eyes (which were black and blue) and sinking in his seat.

 

Ten minutes later they arrived back at the Addy and Katie’s office.

“You know you could have just dropped me off. You didn’t have to come up,” Addy said as her and Josh got off the elevator.

“I wanted to say hi to Katie and to see how her meeting went,” Josh said as Addy gave Lexi a death glare as she walked by.

“I think you just want to show of your new and shiny night guard,” Addy smiled as Josh rolled his eyes

“Why show it off when you’ve probably already sent her a picture?”

“Maybe I didn’t send it to her, and just sent it to Blake and Taylor,” Addy smiled talking about Josh and Alex’s other close friends.

“Great! Thanks Addy!” Josh said.

“No problem,” Addy said, as they rounded the corner and ran into Katie, who let out a yelp at the site of Josh.

“Oh my god! What happened?” Katie asked staring at Josh, with his nose splint on and his two black eyes.

“His nose broke,” Addy said.

“How did your nose break?”

Josh just pointed at Addy.

“What did you do Addy?”

“He tested me, which he knows not to do and this ended up being the consequence,” Addy shrugged, and then started to laugh. “You should show her your awesome night guard that you have to wear at night!”

Josh just glared at her.

“But I have to go to the bathroom, so yes Katie, ask him about his night guard,” Addy laughed again making her way to the woman’s restroom.

“Hey, before you go, do you and Alex have plans tonight?”

“Yeah, it’s weekly date night,” Addy said before disappearing into the bathroom.

Katie then turned to Josh, “So are you going to show me this lovely night guard you have to wear?”

"No." Josh grumbled.

"Aww come on Josh."

"Kate," Josh warned. "Come on, let's just go."

"Where are we going?"

"To your apartment."

"Great! Then I get to see this night wear."

"Brat."

He put his arm around her waist. "I wanted to talk to you about something."

"Ok what's that?"

Leaning forward he pressed his lips softly for a light kiss. "Move in with me."

"What?"

"Let's take this to the next step. I really like you and you really like me, so let's try."

Katie stood there staring at him. She really didn't know what to say or do.

"Josh... I don't know."

"Come on Kate. How about we talk it over some take out at your place?"

Biting her lip she continued staring at him. Was she really ready for that kind of a relationship? Were they moving to fast? He was right on the fact that she liked him, but was it enough to move in? Well you only live once right?

"Ok Josh."

"Really?"

"Yea let's do it."

"That makes me so happy," he said smiling wide.

"What makes you so happy?" Addy asked walking up.

"We're going to move in together," Josh said grinning and kissing Katie's cheek.

"You are what?" Addy exclaimed looking at Katie.

"We are going to take the next step and move in together," Katie gulped taking a deep breath.

"You are joking."

"No Addy, I think we are ready for this."

"Ok," she said slowly. "Well Alex is coming to pick me up for our date night, so you two have a good night."

"Have a good time Addy," Josh said taking Katie's hand.

"Tell Alex I said hi."

"Well do. Good night guys."

"Good night."

Addy walked away shaking her head. Her friends were crazy, that’s for sure. Grabbing her things and closing her office door, she headed to for the entrance where Alex was waiting for her.

"Hey babe," Alex said kissing her cheek. "How was the rest of the day? You didn't hit Josh again did you?"

"No I didn't. Although I should have." Addy said mumbling the last part.

"What did Katie say when she saw him?"

"She didn't really say anything. She didn't yell at me so that has to be a good thing."

"That's good. I did think it was quiet funny."

"I thought so too." Addy said smiling.

"Ready for date night?"

"You bet. My favorite night of the week."

"I love you.”

"I love you Alex."

 

"Ready to go?" Josh asked.

"Yep!" Katie replied.

Grabbing her things they walked out together. Josh called for some take out, and on the way back to Katie's apartment they picked up a bottle of wine and takeout.

"So, you sure you want to move in with me?" Josh asked as they sat on the couch.

"Yes I'm sure."

"I'm so happy Katie," he said kissing her bumping his nose and cursed. "Damn stupid nose."

Katie couldn't help the snicker that came out. "Poor baby."

She softly placed a kiss on the black and blue bruise.

"Damn Addy."

"You know we probably both deserve to get hit."

"Yea you're probably right." He said laughing.

"We have to be careful, she is pregnant."

"Yes we do."

"I'm so happy for them."

"I am to. They both deserve it."

He grabbed her shoulders and brought her into his arms holding her. He kissed her head then turned his attention to the movie they were watching. Yea he could do this every night, and it was just perfect.

Chapter 12 by daysgoby

Addy and Alex were having their weekly date night at Geppetos’s Italian Restaurant when Addy told Alex the new news of Josh and Katie.

“Oh, so before you came to pick me up, I was told some new news from our dear friends Katie and Josh”

“And that is…?” Alex asked.

“Josh asked Katie to move in with him.”

“Oh yeah, I knew about that…”

“Wait?! How did you know?”

“Josh asked me if it was a good idea, and I just told him that if he really likes Katie then yes, he should ask her to move in with him.”

“Don’t you think they’re moving a little too fast?”

“No, cause I mean we did move in together while we were dating..”

“Yeah, but we moved in after 4 years of dating, and that’s after we graduated from BU, since we couldn’t live in the dorms anymore, but they’ve only been dating for what 5 or 6 weeks already? I just don’t know about this…,” Addy said. “Plus he still hasn’t told her what he does, so yeah.” 

“Just let them be. Who knows, this could be the best idea they both do together for now. Plus it’s a good test for them,” Alex said. “And I’m sure he’ll tell her about his job soon.”

“True, but remember the last time he asked a girlfriend to move in with him?”

“Addy, I highly doubt Katie is going to cheat on Josh with another guy in their bed… Plus Josh and Tiffany were just a bad combo to start with,” Alex said.

“Oh god… Tiffany. She was annoying, bitchy, and rude to me, but of course super nice to you.”

“She was only nice when Josh was around, when he wasn’t she was just as bitchy and rude to the rest of us, so it wasn’t just you,” Alex said.

“I ran into her when I was back in Boston for Courtney’s baby shower about 2 months ago,” Addy said.

“And..”

“Oh, she just had her normal snarky comments, and I don’t think it dawned on her w hoi was under I said her name, and then she turned into her sweet bitchy self,” Addy shrugged, as their dinners arrived at the table.

 

About 2 hours later, Addy and Alex were leaving Gerpetto’s, when Addy saw Trevor having dinner with a blonde, who was well under 21 years old.

“Hold on Alex, I see someone that I want to say hi too,” Addy smiled, handing him her leftovers.

“Addy,” Alex said, but then saw the same person Addy saw. “Oh, go say hi then.” This should be good, he thought

“Well, it’s so nice to see you Trevor,” Addy smiled. “And who is this with you?”

“Hi, I’m Sara,” the blonde said in a bubbly tone.

“Hi Sara, I’m Addy. The best friend of his ex, Katie, that he likes to stalk,” Addy said, “May I ask your age?”

“Oh I’m..”

“You don’t have to answer that Sara,” Trevor said glaring at Addy.

“Oh I don’t mind- I’m 22.”

“Really? When’s your birthday, I have a younger brother who’s 22,” Addy said lying about the younger brother part.

“April 23, 1997.”

“You’re not good at math are you? Because that would actually make you 17,” Addy said.

“Did I say 1997, actually it was…”

“Don’t even try, you’re gig is over,” Addy said. “Trevor, can I talk to you over here?”

“Sure,” Trevor said.

“Bad move Trevor,” Alex mumbled as he grabbed his phone from his pocket because he knew what was coming, and knew Katie, and even Josh, would want to see what as about to come to Trevor.

“So what did you want to talk about?” Trevor asked.

That’s when Addy punched him straight in his face. “That’s for Katie.” Then she kneed him in the groin. “That’s for all the girls you’ve screwed over.”

Trevor went down to the ground in a world of pain, and that’s when Addy kicked him, “And that’s just for being a fucking ass.”

“Alex, you’re a doctor help me! Your wife is crazy.”

“That’s one of the things I love about her, and I don’t think so on the helping part,” Alex said handing the leftovers back to Addy.

“Alright, I’m ready to go now,” Addy smirked as Sara ran to Trevor’s side and everyone in the restaurant was staring at them.

“Alright, well than let’s go home than,” Alex said as they left the restaurant. “So how’s your hand? Because, that’s 2 people you’ve punched in less than 12 hours.”

“It hurts a little. Despite what Josh says I didn’t him that hard, but Trevor’s, that was 2 years in the making,” Addy said looking at her hand as they got in the car. “I’ll just put ice on it when we get home. No biggie.”

They were on their way home, when they stopped at a stop sign.

“Can I see your phone, so I can send Katie the photo of Trevor?”  Addy asked.

“Yeah here. Are you sure you don’t want to go to the ER for your hand?” Alex said handing Addy his phone, and continuing through the stop sign. Just as he pushed on the gas, someone hit them from behind, making them jerk forward.

Alex looked over to Addy. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m fine- a little shaken up though,” Addy said. “What about you?”

“Same here- so far. Stay here and I’ll go and see what happened? Oh and call 911 so we can get the police out here.”

“Okay,” Addy said dialing 911 as Alex went to go check out what happened.

When he got out of the car, he saw another car rammed into the back of their car, and a person dazed and confused in the drivers seat.

“Sir- are you okay?” Alex asked the man, who didn’t look to be any older than 20-years-old.

“Uh what?’ the man said.

Alex could smell the strong odor of alcohol coming from the man, and a cell phone in his hand as if he was texting while driving.

Rolling his eyes, “You were in an accident, you rear-ended the car my wife and I were in,” Alex said to the driver, as he heard sirens in the distance getting louder with each second that passed by. “But are you hurt in anyway?”

“My head hurts,” the man said.

“Okay well I’m going to hold your head, just in case you have a spinal injury,” Alex said as Addy got out of the car.

“Oh my god- is he dead?” Addy asked.

Alex once again rolled his eyes, “No, he’s not dead! Drunk with a head injury maybe but not dead”

“Dude, I’m not drunk,” the guy said trying to move his head to look at Alex.

“Don’t move your head. So is that alcohol smell a new cologne trend?”

“Whatever dude,” the man said just as officers and an ambulance arrived on scene.

“Thanks- we got it from here,” one of the EMTs said to Alex.

“No problem- when asked if he was hurt- he just said his head hurt and plus I didn’t want him to move his spine. I’m one of the ER doctors at Denver General,” Alex said to the EMTs sticking. “Alex Osterberg.”

“Perfect- thanks Dr. Osterberg,” the EMT said as Alex got out of their way.

“You’re welcome,” Alex said heading over to Addy, who was talking to one of the officers on scene.

“Can you tell me what happened?”

“Well I know we were at a stop sign- and it was clear for us to go through the intersection, and the next thing I know someone had hit us from behind,” Addy started.

“Okay anything else?”

“Well after we were hit- I made sure we were both okay, and then checked the other driver. He said his head hurt, and he was dazed and confused. Oh and there was a strong alcohol smell coming from the car, and he was holding his cell phone as if he were texting when the accident happened,” Alex added.

“Are you guys okay?”

“Yep.”

Then the officer got a glimpse of Addy’s swollen hand.

“What about your hand Miss?”

“Oh this? This isn’t from the accident,” Addy said.

“I still want the EMTs to check it out,” the officer said.

Addy sighed in defeat, as she knew better than to argue with the officer. All her hand needed was some ice on it to take the swelling down, although the pain of it was starting to get to her.

“So you think the kid will be alright?” Addy asked Alex as she waited for an EMT.

“I’m sure he’ll be alright, just shook up. Although, he’s going to have one hell of a hangover tomorrow,” Alex said just as the officer came back over to them.

“So was the kid alright?” Addy asked him, as one of the ambulances pulled away.

“Yeah- just shaken up. He did blow a .18 on the Breathalyzer, so he has a DUI charge coming his away, along with being a minor, and we’re still investigating the texting while driving. Has the EMT come over yet?”

“No, but looks like they’re coming this way,” Addy said as one of the EMTs walked up.

“Hello Mrs. Osterberg, my name is Max, and the officer told me you needed medical attention?”

“Um, not really, but I didn’t want to argue with the officer.”

“So what do you need help with?”

“This I guess,” Addy said showing her hand.

The EMT took her hand to look at it and starting his test on it, noticing Addy’s face cringe with pain.

“Ma’am, we’re going to have to take you to the hospital to get this check out.”

“Why?” Addy whined. “I just need to ice it.”

“Well your face says otherwise,” the EMT said. “So just to be on the safe side, I want you to get it checked out.”

Alex finished with the police officer and signing the report, when he approached the two.

“Wanna ride in the ambulance?” Addy smirked.

“They’re sending you to the ER to get checked out huh?”

“Yep! So what’s going to happen to the Outback?”

“Well, they have to tow it to their impound lot and do some more investigations on it, and they said they will call us when they want us to come down and look at it,” Alex said.

“Sounds good.”

“Alright you guys ready?” the EMT asked.

“Yeah, I guess,” Addy said getting into the ambulance with Alex behind her.

“Can we go to Denver General please?” Alex asked.

“Sure,” the EMT said as they were on their way to the hospital.

”Thanks. So, should I call Josh and Katie to come get us from the hospital when we’re done?”

Addy just glared at him, “Just call Katie and Katie only, no Josh.”

“Why? Because you guys were here already today?” Alex laughed

Addy rolled her eyes at her husband, “What about Casey?”

“Nope, he’s outta town, in St. Louis, this weekend for games.”

“Lukas?”

“In Wisconsin for the week, remember we took them to the airport yesterday?”

“Call Erik.”

“He’s probably flying a plane right now Addy.”

“Then call Jakob!”

“I’m not going to call Jakob and have him drive an hour just to drive a mile to take us home, and no I’m not calling your parents either, but I’m calling Katie, and it’s probably more than likely Josh is going to be with her.”

“I hate my family right now,” Addy sighed as they arrived to the ER and were escorted to an exam room.

“Awww- you love your family,” Alex said hugging her. “So I’ll call Katie, while you’re getting x-rays okay?”

“Yeah, okay,” Addy mumbled just as the doctor walked in.

“Hi, Mrs. Osterberg, I’m Dr. Abbot,” the doctor said. “Oh hey Alex, Addy- I thought I recognized the name, but wasn’t sure.”

“Hi Dr. Abbot,” Alex said.

“So what can we do for you guys tonight? I see here on the chart, you guys were in a car accident, and Addy has some type of hand injury”

“Yeah, but the hand injury happened before the accident,” Addy said.

“Oh okay, but you guys are fine otherwise?” Dr. Abbot asked.

“Yeah- a little shaken up, but nothing we can’t handle,” Alex said.

“Alright Addy, let’s have a look at your hand,” Dr. Abbot said taking Addy’s right hand. “So how did you injure it?”

“From a punch that was 2 years in the making, and probably a punch that happened earlier in the day didn’t help it either,” Addy said making a cringing face as Dr. Abbot did his test, just like the EMT did a little awhile ago.

“I’m going to have you get some x-rays, so we can figure out what’s going on and if it’s broken, what part or if it’s just a sprain. So just hang tight Addy, and they’ll come down to get you,” Dr. Abbot said.

“Great- thanks,” Addy rolled her eyes.

“And I’ll go call Katie,” Alex said leaving the area to go make the phone call, leaving Addy to her x-rays.

“Hello?” Katie answered her phone.

“Hey Katie- it’s Alex. I need a favor,” Alex said as he sat on the arm of a chair in the hospital waiting area.

“Um okay anything- what’s going on?”

“Addy and I need a ride home from Denver General.”

“Um why? What happened?”

“Some guy rear ended us on our way home from dinner.”

“What? Are you guys okay? Is the baby okay?”

“Yes, we’re both fine, and yes the baby’s okay. Addy just has a hand injury from a separate incident and the cops wanted us to get it checked out. That’s all.”

“Is this hand injury from her punching Josh?”

“Let’s just say Josh wasn’t the only one she punched today,” Alex said.

That’s when Katie figured out who the other person was, “Nooo.”

“Yep, but Addy should really be the one to share the story and pictures.”

“There are pictures?”

“Yes, and you’re welcome, but Addy should be coming back from x-ray by now. So will you please come get us?”

“Yep, Josh and I are leaving right now.”

“Great! Thank You!” Alex said as they both hung up. He decided not to tell Addy that Josh was coming.

He walked back into the exam room just as Addy was being wheeled in.

“Where you a good little girl for the x-ray tech?” Alex teased patting the top of Addy’s head.

“You know, I can kick you right now and I would have perfect aim,” Addy smiled.

“Oh, I don’t doubt it,” Alex laughed. “Don’t forget I saw you in action earlier.”

“So is Katie coming to pick us up?”

“Yep, she’s on her way.”

“Did she mention if Josh was coming?”

But before Alex had a chance to answer, Dr. Abbot walked in with Addy’s x-rays.

“Alright Addy, so you do in fact have a broken hand.”

Addy closed her eyes tight she really didn’t want this. “Alright, so what does that mean?”

“Well you broke the right hand just under the ring finger knuckle, so you’ll have to wear a splint for 4-6 weeks, and then schedule a follow up appointment with an orthopedic doctor within the next week or so. As for the pain, just take Tylenol as need, just don’t over due it since you’re pregnant,” Dr. Abbot said.

“So I don’t have to wear a cast? Just a splint?”

“Yep,” Dr. Abbot said as he put the splint on Addy’s hand.

“Well alright then, that’s kinda better,” Addy said.

“And the nurse will be in shortly with your discharge papers”

“Thanks Dr. Abbot,” Alex said.

“No problem,” Dr. Abbot smiled and then left the exam room.

Few minutes later Katie and Josh walked in. Katie admittedly went over to Addy and hugged her tightly.

"Oh my gosh are you ok?"

"I'm fine Katie."

"We got here as soon as we got the call. Do you have to stay?"

"No I just have a broken hand."

"Why did you punch Trevor?"

"You told her!" Addy exclaimed looking at Alex.

"I might have mentioned that you had punched someone else,” Alex said backing up.

"Addy, why did you punch Trevor?"

"Because he's an ass. He brought an underage kid to the bar."

"What?"

"Yep, lord what the hell is wrong with the world," Alex said.

"It was two years in the making, he fucking deserved it Katie," Addy defended.

"Man you two have had quite a night," Josh said to Alex.

"You're telling me and all I wanted was a nice evening with my wife."

"You two should take the day off tomorrow and rest."

"Yea I'll have to talk to Addy I don't know what she all has tomorrow."

"Alright you two are all set to head home," the nurse said walking in handing Alex the discharge papers.

"Thank you."

Going over to Addy, Alex put his arm around her shoulders and kissed her cheek.

"Let's go home and crash."

"I think we already crashed," she said with a smirk.

Alex shook his head and laughed.

"Let's go you two," Josh said opening the door.

Filling out of the room they headed towards the parking lot. Josh took Katie's hand into his, and brought it to his lips and kissed her knuckles.

Addy still couldn't believe her friends were going to be living together. She hadn't heard any problems that they were having, so she assumed it was going well. Looking over at Alex she was ready to go home. Placing her hand on her belly she smiled, they were going to be an amazing family.


Chapter 13 by daysgoby

When they arrived at Addy and Alex’s place, Katie and Josh dropped them off in front of their building.

“Bye you guys,” Josh said

“I’m just so happy you’re okay,” Katie said hugging Addy tightly once again.

“Me too,” Addy mumbled, as she tried to pull away, but Katie wouldn’t let her. “Katie, let me go”

“No!”

“Katie, let Addy go,” Josh laughed.

“No, I almost lost her once already. I don’t want to lose her again,” Katie said.

“I almost can’t breath,” Addy mumbled.

“Katie, you need to let her go,” Josh said as he and Alex helped pry Katie off Addy.

“Fine,” Katie sighed letting Addy go.

“Now, say goodnight,” Josh said as they headed to the car, and Addy and Alex headed inside their building.

“Night! I’ll miss you!” Katie shouted.

“I’ll miss you too!” Addy shouted back before the door closed on her.

The elevator ride up to their floor was a quiet one and Addy was just examining her broken hand, the whole ride. Then as soon as Alex opened the front door, Addy went straight to the bedroom and crashed on the bed falling asleep right away. She wasn’t even in the mood to change out of her work clothes.

 

The next morning, Addy’s alarm went off, as it was Alex’s day off.

“I don’t wanna go to work,” Addy mumbled into her pillow.

“Then don’t. You were just in a car accident the night before, I’m sure they’ll understand,” Alex said rolling onto his back.

Addy turned her head to face him, “I wish I could, but I have this huge presentation with Jim this morning, and I can’t miss it!”

“Have Katie do it for you. You can spare a day, it’s not like you take time off all the time. When was the last time you took a few days off?”

“Um…” Addy thought.

“There’s my point, if it takes that long to think about it, then it’s been away to long. Now where’s your phone, and I’ll call Katie to cover the meeting for you.”

“Ooo now I remember, I took 3 days off for Courtney’s baby shower, and flew back to Boston a few months ago!”

“Um wasn’t that actually 2 days you took off? You flew out on a Thursday and flew back on a Sunday? Anyway, you’re taking today off.”

“Thank you, because I really don’t want to move right now. I’m too comfy to move. Oh and let Katie know that my presentation notes are on my desk labeled, ‘The shops at Union Station.’ But I don’t even remember changing from my work clothes into PJ’s last night.”

“You probably did it when you went to the bathroom in the middle of the night,” Alex said waiting for Katie to pick up the phone.

Addy nodded as if she remembered, and that’s when Katie answered the phone.

“Oooo are you calling for a Starbucks order?” Katie answered.

“Um no, plus this is Alex.”

“Okay, so why are you calling from Addy’s phone?”

“Because I wanted to, plus she’s not coming in today,” Alex laughed. “So can you cover for her for her presentation meeting she has with Jim this morning?”

 “Yeah of course,” Katie said. “Is Addy okay?”

“Yeah just fine. She just wanted some R&R after last night.”

“I don’t blame her there, that girl deserves it.”

“Yeah she does, oh and she says her presentation notes are on her desk labeled ‘Shops at Union Square’ or something like that.”

“Sounds good, and if I have any questions I will call her. But I’ll call her later anyway because I still need the scoop about last night and Trevor.”

“’You got it, I’ll let her know. Thanks ma’am.”

“No problem- tell her to chill and relax,” Katie said.

‘Got it- talk to you later,” Alex said as he hung up the phone and looked over at Addy who was looking at him.

“There you go my dear, no work for you today,” Alex said putting the phone on the side table.

Addy laughed as Alex was positioning himself, so he was hovering over her.

“What are you doing?” she continued to laugh.

“I’m just saying… it’s fine by me, if you never leave,” Alex half sung.

“Osterberg, you’re such a dork,” Addy laughed as Alex kissed her.

“We can lay like this forever,” Alex said again, before kissing her again, this time longer and deeper.

Addy broke the kiss, “Wait- did you just quote Andy Grammer?” she laughed.

Alex smiled down at her, “Maybe… it’s fine by me.” He smirked as he kissed her once again, and the passion was starting to build.

 

Meanwhile back at Pikes Peak Advertising…

Katie walked into Addy’s office and had to roll her eyes, because just like her, Addy also had piled of files in random spots throughout her office, granted it might have looked neater than Katie’s office, but it was still kinda messy. It’s funny how they were alike in so many ways, and really never noticed it before.

Just as Katie was trying to find the file she needed on Addy’s desk, Jim walked in.

“Addy, you ready? Oh hey Katie, where’s Addy?’ Jim said in surprise.

“She decided to take today off. Her and Alex were rear ended last night.”

“Are they okay?”

“Yeah, Addy just has a broken hand from an earlier incident, but yeah they just wanted to stay home. So I’ll cover her in this morning’s meeting,” Katie said as she found the file she was looking for.

“Great! Meet me in my office in 20 minutes, so we can go over everything,” Jim said before leaving for his own office, and leaving Katie in Addy’s office.

Just as Katie picked up the file folder, a business card caught her eye. It was Josh’s.

“What the…” Katie said to herself, as she picked up to read it.

“U.S. Department of Justice- Federal Bureau of Investigation… Joshua Chasez – Cyber Division -  Special Agent. What the fuck?”

This couldn’t be her Josh could it? Katie knew he just traveled a lot for business, but that’s all she knew.

Katie picked up Addy’s office phone, and dialed Addy’s cell phone, as she would be the best person to ask about this. Katie knew she should have called Josh, but she needed to talk to Addy first.

"Hello?” Addy answered, pushing Alex off of her, and causing him to end up on his back on his side of the bed.

"I need to talk to you."

"Don't you have a meeting to be going to? It starts in 5 minutes you know"

"When were you going to tell me Josh worked for the FBI?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Josh! He works for the FBI."

"Duh, you should have known that."

Katie bit her lip, true she had never asked. She knew that he traveled a lot for his job, but he had been stationed here in Denver, so it had to have turned into a desk job. This was not what she thought he did; she was thinking he did something more in the line of sales or something like that.

"Katie!" Addy screamed, as she watched Alex head into the bathroom.

"What!" Katie said realizing she was on the phone. "I have to go."

"Katie! What the hell is wrong with you? How did you not know what Josh did?"

"I have to go,” and with that she hung up grabbed what she needed for the meeting.

Addy looked at her phone hearing the “call end” tone, and mumbled, “What the hell just happen?“

"Who was that?" Alex asked from the bathroom.

"Katie."

"Isn't she suppose to be in a meeting for you?"

"She didn't know what Josh did."

"What! They've been seeing each other for a little while now. How could she not know?"

"I have no idea. She's shocked that he works for the FBI."

"I think she's pulling your chain because you’re are making her go to your meeting."

"I don't think so Alex. She seemed generally confused that I didn't tell her that he worked for the FBI." Picking up her phone Addy looked for a number. 

"Who you calling?" Alex asked going over to the bed, where Addy was.

"Josh."

"Maybe that's not a good idea,” Alex said trying to grab the phone away from Addy, but it was too late.

"Josh,” Addy smiled.

"Hey Addy, how you feeling?" Josh asked.

"I'm fine. Just received a call from your girlfriend, who also happens to be one of my best friends."

"Oh yea?" 

"Why is she calling me shocked that you work for the FBI. Haven't you fucking told her? I thought you were going to tell her last night?"

"Hmm..." Josh hummed. 

"Are you freaking kidding me right now?" Abby exclaimed.

"What!?"

"Seriously, if I hear that word one more time I'm going to beat someone."

"Isn't that why you broke your hand?” Josh laughed.

"Joshua Scott!" 

"Addy Kjersten! Look I just didn't want her to know."

"Why?"

"I didn't want her to worry."

"Are you fucking serious?"

"Addy I have to go."

"You should’ve just told her Josh." 

"I'll make it up to her. Just let me handle this."

"Fine, better fix it dumbass. Maybe you should return your degrees back to Penn and Maryland"

"I can take care of my own problems Addy."

"Not that I can see." Addy said rolling her eyes.

With that Josh hung up. He bit his lip as he stared down at the papers on his desk. He knew he should have told her maybe he could catch her. Grabbing his phone he quickly dialed her number. 

"Hello."

"Katie, sweetheart."

"I can't talk right now Josh. I’m on my way to a meeting."

"We need to talk, I should have told you."

"Why didn't you?"

"My job just isn't that big of a deal. It's what I do."

"Working for the FBI is a pretty big deal Josh."

"No it's not. Yes I carry a gun, yes I go after people, but it's what I do. It’s what my grandfather did, and something I’ve been doing since I graduated. So like I said, it’s no big deal."

"And you didn't think letting me in on that would be a big deal?"

"No."

"Katie it's time for the meeting." Jim said impatiently.

"I'm coming. Look, I have to go Josh."

"Wait, please Katie."

"I just don't like that I had to find out by finding your business card on Addy's desk."

"I'm sorry."

"I have to go," Katie whispered hanging up her phone.

Josh, pissed off, threw his phone on his desk. Why couldn't things be easier?

"Who you talking to?" Tim, Josh’s partner, asked walking up. 

"My girlfriend."

"When do I get to meet this chick?"

"Never," Josh smirked. 

"Aww, is that how to treat your partner?" Tim said as he sat on the edge of Josh’s desk.

"You aren't going to meet my girlfriend."

"What? Are you afraid I'm going to steal her?"

Josh laughed dryly. "She wouldn't have any interest in you. You sir, just have no manners."

"So what were you and your girlfriend talking about?" Tim asked ignoring him. 

"I didn't tell her what I did for a living."

Tim laughed hard. "You're an idiot Josh."

"Shut up. Come on let's go to work."

"You're gonna be in the dog house… no sex for you,” Tim teased.

"Shut up Tim." Josh rolled his eyes, as they went to their morning briefing.

Chapter 14 by daysgoby

"Addy, let it go," Alex said from the couch. “You want me to start singing the song for you?”

"No! And I can't! He kept that from her," Addy said from the kitchen, as she poured herself some cereal.

"Oh Addy…" Alex said sighing, getting up from the couch, and headed towards the kitchen.

"This is not going to be good."

"They can handle it,” Alex said, as he jumped up to sit on the counter.

"No they can't."

"You're meddling."

"No I'm not." Addy said, taking a bite of her cereal and leaned up against the opposite counter.

"Let them figure it out."

"She's my friend."

"And he's our friend,” Alex said reaching out and grabbing Addy, pulling her so she was in between his legs.

"This is ridiculous."

"Addy relax."

Addy let out a laugh, “When do I ever relax? I don’t think I know the meaning of the word, relax”

Alex smiled, “True, but I know one way to get you to relax.” He grabbed her cereal bowl and put it in the sink.

“Hey! I wasn’t done eating that,” Addy pouted, just as Alex kissed her.

Addy broke the kiss. “Well, I don’t think my doctor wants me to play pickup hockey while pregnant”

Alex smiled.

“That’s not what I was thinking,” he said kissing her again.

“I know another way,” he smirked hopping off the counter, grabbing Addy’s non-broken hand, and guiding her back to the bedroom.

“Fine… but you owe me another bowl of cereal,” Addy smirked.

 

Back at Pikes Peak Advertising, Katie was sitting at the large conference table and just stared at the men who were there. They were talking and she was trying to follow but her mind was elsewhere.

How could Josh not tell her, and keep it from her? Yes she hadn't asked him, but he could have just come out with it like, "Hey Kate I carry a gun and go after bad people." That wouldn't have been so hard.

Why could he just be upfront with her?

The meeting went on and Katie became even more distracted. She really needed to talk to Addy.

That’s when she was brought out of her own mind, when she kept hearing her name over and over again by Jim.

“Katie! Katie!”

Katie looked up, “I’m sorry, Jim. What did you ask again?”

Jim just looked at her, “Do you have anything to add?”

She looked down at the papers in front of her, “I don’t believe so.”

“Great. Thank you gentlemen for you time, and I’ll have Addy follow up with you when she gets back tomorrow,” Jim said as he stood and shook hands wit the clients. Katie stood up as well collecting her things. “And Katie, I want to see you in my office now!”

Katie sighed and nodded as she left the conference room to drop off her things in her office, and that’s when she decided to head over to Addy and Alex’s place, instead of going to Jim’s office. Katie already knew she was in deep shit with Jim about the meeting, so might as well be in deeper shit by not going to his office right?

Chapter 15 by daysgoby

Addy and Alex were lying in their bed, when someone was constantly knocking at their front door.

They both looked at each other and shrugged. Alex got out of bed, pulled on his jeans and a t-shirt, and went to go answer the door. Addy then herself got out of bed, put on a pair of shorts and a t-shirt to go see who was at the door herself.

“Katie!” Alex said opening the door.

“Hey Katie!” Addy said popping her head through the top of her t-shirt. “What are you doing here? How did my meeting go?”

Katie rolled her eyes. “Meeting went just find, I think, I’m not sure, I don’t know. I wasn’t paying attention, I was supposed to be meeting with Jim afterwards in his office… but how can you guys not tell me Josh was in the FBI?”

Addy rolled her eyes. “Oh Katie- you’re not going to be on Jim’s good side when you get back to the office…. But I know I’ve been out of the dating scene for the last 15 years or something like that, but isn’t that a question you ask each other on the first date? Something along the lines of ‘So Alex, what do you do for work?”

Alex looked up from a magazine he was reading, and just looked at Addy like she was crazy. “Um, you know what I do.”

“Just play along here,” Addy said through gritted teeth. “So Alex, what is it you do for work?”

“I’m a doctor, and what do you do for work Addy?” Alex said playing along, however never taking his eyes off of the magazine.

“I work in advertising,” Addy said. “Isn’t that how it usually goes on a first date? Or has it recently changed?”

Katie looked between Alex and Addy, “Well… kinda, but I still don’t get why you guys didn’t tell me?”

That’s when Alex’s text message alert went off.

Hey- is Katie there? She wasn’t at her office or her apartment  -Josh

“So Addy- was there a reason you didn’t tell me?”

“Well, because like I said, I thought you guys would have talked about it on the first date?”

Alex then responded to Josh.

Yep- just showed up

“What did you guys talk about on your first date? Since you guys were at Bliss for quite a while after we left,” Addy asked.

“Stuff,” Katie said taking a seat on the couch.

“And not once, did the job thing come up?” Addy said, sitting on the arm of the couch.

“Well kinda- all he said was that he traveled a lot and that was it, we changed the subject.“

Then there was a knock on the door.

“I’ll get it,” Alex said getting up from the chair, and headed to the front door.

“Addy- you still haven’t answered my question of why didn’t you tell me?” Katie said.

“Because it’s not my responsibility to tell you,” Addy said.

“Hey,” Alex said to Josh.

Josh walked into the loft, “Hey.”

“As my best friend, yes it is,” Katie said.

“Um I don’t think it is? Sitting next to you in a jail cell? Sure! But telling you something that you should have asked yourself, I don’t think it is, but I could be wrong,” Addy shrugged. “Like I said, I’ve been away from the dating scene for a while.”

"Katie," Josh said softly watching. 

"What are you doing here?"

"We need to talk."

"Sorry Josh, I'm not ready to talk to you. You could have told me. Why would you keep it from me?"

"Katie, please." He held out his hand hoping she would take it, but she of course refused. 

Katie shook her headed annoyed. Her boyfriend carried a gun, and went after bad people. How was she supposed to deal with that? How would she know he would be safe?

"My job is my job Katie, just like your job is your job."

"You carry a freaking gun," Katie exclaimed as she threw her hands in the air. 

Alex and Addy looked at each other. 

"It’s something you need to get used to."

"I can't get used to that. You could get killed."

Josh shook his head in disbelief. His girlfriend was being ridiculous. The room went silent, and Addy and Alex could only watch their friends. Katie stood looking at her feet with her arms crossed with the look of hurt and anger in her face. A cell phone went off breaking the silence, Josh recognized it being his, and digging in his pocket he brought it up to his ear. 

"Hello. I'm with my girlfriend I can't talk right now. No Tim."

Alex grabbed the phone. "He'll call you back."

"Alex!" Josh exclaimed through his teeth. 

Addy grabbed Katie's arm while Alex grabbed his friends. They dragged them to their guest bedroom, soon to be baby room, pushing the two in, and closed the door locking it.

Josh could only start to laugh as he sat on the bed. Crossing his arms, Katie only scowled. 

"Addy let me out!" She yelled slamming her fist on the door. 

"Katie, baby, they want us to talk."

"I'm mad at you and I don't want to talk."

"Katie," Josh said calmly. 

"Talk to him Katie," Addy said through the door. 

"Open the damn fucking door."

Josh stood up and walked over to his pissed off girlfriend. Katie could fell him behind her, closing her eyes she tried ignoring him. 

"I'm sorry."

"Just stop,” Katie said holding up her hand.

"I didn't tell you because I didn't want you to worry."

"I was worrying already."

"I'm a good agent, Katie really good," he said with a smirk.

"Cocky much."

"I have a great partner who has my back. It's ok. Please let's stop this."

Katie turned in his arms and looked up into his blue eyes. "I’m still mad at you."

"What if I made it up to you."

"And how do you plan to do that?"

"By kissing you."

Katie raised her eyebrows. Before she could even respond his lips were on hers. The bad thing was he was correct as soon as their lips contacted she was over it. Damn his lips. 

"I love you." 

Katie backed up and looked back up into the blue eyes. She melted in his arms. Damn blue eyes. Was she sure about this? They hadn't been dating that long, but when she looked at him, she knew that she was in love with him. Without even thinking about it more she whispered the three words she thought she would never say again. 

"Addy what are you doing?" Alex asked.

"Trying to listen. They are right by the door, so be quiet."

"Addy let them be."

Addy eyes widen when she heard Josh say I love you. They were really serious. 

"What?" Alex asked curious. 

"He said I love you."

"Woah! Did Katie say it?"

"Not yet so be quiet."

Alex rolled his eyes, and held out his hand to her. “Let’s go grab some coffee, and maybe swing by the police department to follow up on last night’s accident.”

Addy grabbed his hand and sighed, “Fine, let’s go.”

Alex smiled as they headed out the front door, just as Addy’s phone went off. Addy looked at it and it was Jim calling.

 

Meanwhile back at the loft:

"I love you too Josh."

"See feels better doesn't it," he said with a smirk as he kissed her again. 

Katie looked up and scowled. "Don't get cocky Josh."

"Me never. I love you." 

Moving back slightly she pinched the back of his arm. 

"Ouch Kate."

"You still kept you job away from me," she snapped. "But I love you Josh and I just don't want to get that call."

"You never will," he whispered placing his hand softly on his cheek. "I'll always be here baby." 

"I hope you can keep that promise," Katie said looking up at him. 

Before he could say anymore his phone went off, digging it out of his pocket answering it. 

"Chasez. Ok… I'll be right there." Hanging up Josh kissed his girlfriend deeply, holding her close to him. He finally had to tear himself away. "I have to go baby."

Katie stood in front of him trying to catch her breath. Damn him. "Will I see you tonight?"

"I'll be home soon."

"Ok." 

Kissing her once more on the lips then on her forehead. He tried the door surprised it opened and that he didn't see his friends standing there. Looking back at Katie he smiled. 

"Love you baby girl."

"Love you to Josh."

"See you later."

"I'll be home." He smiled leaving the loft. 

Katie just stood in the bedroom doorway smiling. She couldn't believe she had actually told him I love you, and that he told her the same thing. Her heart skipped a few beats. Grabbing her purse she headed out of the loft and back to face Jim at work.

 

Alex held the door to Starbucks opened as Addy answered her phone.

“Hi Jim.”

“Addy –please say you’re going to be back tomorrow.”

“Uh.. yeah… why?”

“Just plan on following up with your clients regarding today’s meeting”

“What do you want?” Alex mouthed to Addy.

“Tall non-fat strawberry cream frap,” Addy mouthed back.

Returning back to the phone, “Okay… I was planning on following up with them anyway like usual”

“Great… have you seen Katie recently? Like in the last hour or so?”

“Nope, I haven’t seen Katie lately why?” Addy asked, getting a disapproving look from Alex. She just rolled her eyes at him, and went to go grab a seat by the window.

“I told her to meet me in my office after the meeting, but she disappeared and I can’t find her. She’s not answering her phone or her text messages.”

“I’m sure she’ll be back soon,” Addy said as Alex sat down across from her with their drinks.

“Well since you two are basically attached at the hip, will you try and get a hold of her and tell her to report to my office immediately?”

“Yeah, I’ll try, but no guarantees Jim. And if and when she comes back, heads up she just found out that her boyfriend works with the FBI, and she’s still grasping that.”

“Thanks Addy, and I’ll see you tomorrow.”

‘Yep, bye,” Addy said hanging up the phone.

“What was that all about?” Alex asked taking a sip of his coffee.

“Jim’s just trying to find Katie, as she was supposed to be in his office right after the meeting, but disappeared instead,” Addy said taking a sip of her Frappuccino and texted Katie.

Stop having sex and get your ass back to the office! Jim is pissed- he just called me trying to find you!  

Chapter 16 by daysgoby

Katie looked at her phone reading her friends text. She shock her head and looked up at her work building. She had been sitting outside dreading to go back in. Screw Jim. She couldn't help she was preoccupied. Taking a deep breath she walked into the building and up to the office. 

"Well look who decided to show up," Jim snapped. "Office."

Rolling her eyes she followed him into his office. Closing the door behind them. 

"What the hell Katie! What was with you today?"

"It's a personal matter," Katie muttered. 

"Well it got in the way today. I'm writing you up for the day."

"What! Oh come on Jim, the meeting went just fine."

"Katie could you even tell me one thing that was talked about in the meeting."

Katie bit her bottom lip. 

"That's what I thought," he remarked. "Get you head out of the clouds and off your FBI boyfriend."

"Wait you knew?" Katie exclaimed sitting up in her chair. 

"Yea… Addy told me."

Katie shook her head in disgust. Damn people. She looked down and picked at one of her nails. She needed a drink and badly. This day was shit. 

"Katie." 

"What?!"

"Go home. You aren't in the right mind to work today."

"I'm fine." She stood up and crossed her arms. "I'm just having a shitty day that doesn't mean I can't work."

"I'm ordering you to just go home."

"Ugh fine." She grabbed her things and stormed out of the office. She didn't really want to work anyway. 

 

A few hours later, Josh arrived at Katie’s place, only to see her on the couch, with a bottle of wine in her hand and taking a long drink from it. He also noticed an empty wine bottle on the coffee table.

“Woah! What’s going on here?” he asked shutting the door.

“I got sent home from work- that’s what’s going on,” Katie said not moving.

“Why’d they send you home?” Josh asked sitting next to Katie.

“Because apparently my head is in the clouds and I was preoccupied with some personal matters,” Katie said bring the wine bottle up to her lips.

“Katie,” Josh said taking the bottle from her.

“Hey! I had a shitty day, so give my bottle back,” Katie said reaching for the bottle only to have Josh hold it farther from her.

“Nope- we’re going to talk about what happened today,” Josh said.

Katie sighed, “Fine- let’s talk”

Josh took a deep breath, but before he could speak, Katie spoke first.

“I just don’t like you carrying a gun.”

“Is that all?”

“And I’m just afraid you won’t come home at night”

“Okay first thing first. Yes there’s a chance I won’t be coming home, and even though my job causes a higher risk of it, it’s something every single person, including you, risk. You could get in some kind of accident and not come home that night, and for me there is a less than one percent chance of me not coming home. So that means there’s a 99% chance that I’ll be here next to your side at night, as for the gun thing… that’s just part of the job. Have you ever shot or held a gun?

Katie just sat there thinking. “Back when I was little, like when I was 6, with my uncle, but that’s it. I really don’t remember.”

“Well how about this. This weekend,  after we move some boxes over to my new place, we can go to the gun range and have you shoot at some targets, that way you know what it feels like and know it’s not that scary, and it just might ease your mind a little. We can even Alex and Addy join us,” Josh said, bringing Katie closer to him.

Katie giggled at him, “Yeah okay, Addy with a gun that would a sight to see.”

“Don’t laugh now. Addy has a great shot on both the pistol and rifle, I’ve seen it, and I think she might actually have better accuracy then myself.”

“Wait! Are we talking about the same Addy? Addy Osterberg?” Katie asked

"Yep, that’s the one. I guess she’s been around them her entire life, family hunts, and I guess some family history in law enforcement."

"Damn." Katie exhaled. "You learn something new every day."

"So are we ok now?"

Katie bit her lip and narrowed her eyes at him. She considered her answer for a minute. "Yes I guess." She leaned forward and kissed his lips. "Now give me that bottle back." 

"Hey! Don't I get some?" He exclaimed. 

Taking a long drink she looked at him. "There's another bottle in the fridge."

"So is the plan to get drink and have fun." He gave her a wink then headed for the kitchen. 

"Hmm... I'm not sure about that."

"Aww." Josh pouted. 

He made his way back to the couch bottle and glass in hand. 

"You don't really need that glass." 

"I think it's better then drinking from the bottle."

"Nah there's nothing like drinking from the bottle," she said taking a long drink. 

Josh just shook his head. Pouring himself a glass he sat back on the couch. Even drunk his girlfriend was beautiful. Reaching over he ran his finger down her cheek.

"Kate."

"What?!"

"Let's just go to bed. Tomorrow's another day." 

Katie turned and looked at him. "I thought you were going to get drunk with me?"

"I think I would rather just go lay in bed and cuddle."

Sighing Katie sat the bottle down. That sounded wonderful. Catching blue eyes she knew the day was now done. 

"Ok."

The two for up and went into the bedroom. Shutting the door behind them. Katie cuddled deep in her boyfriend’s arms. 

"I love you Josh." She muttered sleepily. 

"I love you Kate." He whispered kissing her temple. 

Chapter 17 by daysgoby

A FEW WEEKS LATER – 

 

Alex and Addy were cuddling on the couch watching TV, when someone knocked on their door. They both looked at each other in confusion, as they weren’t expecting anyone.

“Are you expecting anyone?” Addy asked.

“Nope,” Alex said, as the person knocked again, “Are you?”

“Not that I know of,” Addy said getting up to answer the door. She looked through the peephole to see who it was, and rolled her eyes as she answered the door.

“Addy!” the person said as he hugged Addy.

“Noah,” she said, she was shocked to see one of her brother-in-laws at her door. “What are you doing here?” Letting Noah in and shutting the door.

“Can’t I just stop by to see my favorite brother and sister-in-law?” Noah asked as they walked down the short hallway back to the living room.

“Stop by? It looks like you’re moving in,” Alex said looking over the back of the couch, and seeing his little brother with two large suitcases and his backpack.

“Well, I was kinda hoping I could crash here for the next couple of days,” Noah smiled.

“I don’t think so, plus I thought you were at Andy’s place,” Alex said speaking of one of their older brothers.

“Um, I was but not anymore, plus I brought these,” Noah smiled, as he waved a box of Boston’s Flour Bakery’s famous sticky buns.

Addy right away took the box with a large smile, “I’ll take these, thank you,” and headed into the kitchen while reading inside the box.

 “So, can I crash for a couple of days?” Noah asked sitting at the kitchen bar.

Alex just looked at him.

“Come on, I’m your baby brother,” Noah smiled.

Alex just looked at Addy who just shrugged and said, “He can stay as long as he keeps supplying sticky buns from Flour.

Alex sighed, “Yeah, you can crash, but just for a couple of days and then I’m kicking you out.”

“I promise 3-4 days tops.”

“Why are you in Denver anyway?”

“Yeah, I thought you were helping Andy at his restaurant,” Addy asked.

“No, he was in Chicago working with Matt at his financial firm” Alex said talking about their oldest brother.

Noah just sat there looking at the two.

“No, wait- he was working at Stowe with your dad,” Addy said.

“Oh yeah, that’s right” Alex said.

“Actually you both are kinda wrong..” Noah said.

“Alright, then explain…”

“Well yes, you were right Addy, I was just with Andy helping him out at his restaurant until…”

“Until what?” Alex questioned looking at him suspiciously.

“I kinda lit some of his kitchen on fire?”

“Wait… you kinda lit?” Addy asked.

“I was trying to help Andy out, and a grease fire got out of control, so he fired me and also kicked me out 2 days ago,” Noah explained.

“So then explain Matt- why’d he kick you out?”

“Because I was screwing around and wasn’t taking it seriously, and kinda messed up their numbers.”

“Big shocker there,” Alex rolled his eyes.

“So, he bought me a one way ticket from Chicago back to Boston, and Andy let me stay at his place.”

“Then what about Stowe? I thought you liked working on the mountain”

“I did, I loved it!” Noah said getting up from his spot at the kitchen bar, and going to the couch.

“So what happened there?”

“Dad…” Noah simply said.

“Um okay… explain,” Alex said.

“I just didn’t like working for him. He was always breathing down my back”

Alex rolled his eyes at his brother. “What do you expect from him Noah? You barely graduated from UVM, because you partied and goofed off the entire time. You’re 25 and were living at home, so of course he’s going to be on your back.”

“So… can I stay here or not?”

“I don’t know…”

“Oh come on Alex, Matt and Andy kicked me out, you’re my last stop. Plus, I was hoping Addy could talk to her dad about a possible ski patrol job for me at Breckenridge this coming season…” Noah said looking at Addy.

Addy looked their direction, as she took a bite out of her second sticky bun.

“Um yeah, I guess I can ask, but no guarantees, or actually you can probably ask him yourself as we’re hosting Sunday dinner this week.”

Alex sighed, “Fine you can stay, but only for a couple of days.”

“Thank You!” Noah said hugging his brother.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah- let’s just hope Mike can get you something at Breck, or else I’m sending you back to mom and dad’s and then you’re on your own,” Alex said pushing Noah off of him.

“I knew you couldn’t say no to your baby brother,” Noah smiled.

“You can sleep in the spare bedroom slash new baby room,” Alex said.

“Thanks!” Noah replied as he headed to put his stuff away.

“I’m going to kill them Addy,” Alex said sitting on the couch.

“Who? Matt and Andy?” Addy asked as she sat on the couch with her third sticky bun.

Alex just looked at her, “Is that your third one?”

“What can I say, the baby loves Flour’s stick buns, and no you’re not going to kill Andy and Matt, but you wanna bite? It might make you feel better.”

Alex looked at her and opened his mouth as Addy fed him some of the sticky bun.

“You guys make me sick,” Noah said sitting in one of the chairs in the living room. Alex closed his eyes to calm his nerves, as Addy chuckled and patted him on his leg.

“So Noah, if Andy kicked you out and fired you, how did you get to Denver?”

“Andy bought the ticket, and gave me cab fare.”

“Now, he’s really on my shitlist,” Alex mumbled, as there was another knock on the door.

 “Great, are we the party house for tonight, and didn’t know about it?” He was starting to get pissed off; all he wanted was a quiet night in with Addy.

“What?” he said opening the door without knowing who was behind it.

“Can I stay here tonight?” Josh asked walking in.

“Sure, why not, seems like everyone else is,” Alex mumbled walking back into the living room

“Thanks dude,” Josh said.

Addy and Noah saw Josh walk into the living room

“Josh- what are you doing here? Where’s Katie?” Addy asked looking behind Josh

“Hey Noah,” Josh said trying to ignore Addy. “Didn’t know you were here in Denver, what are you doing here?”

“Just crashing for a few days…” Noah said going back to watch whatever was on the TV.

“I said- what are you doing here and where’s Katie?” Addy asked Josh again. “And if you ignore me again, I’m going to throw this remote and break your nose again.”

Josh sighed, “Fine- Katie and I got into a fight and she kicked me out for the night.”

“Why’d she kick you out?”

“Something about the laundry not being done and dirty dishes left in the sink,” Josh said, coming up with another excuse other than the real reason why he got kicked out.

Addy looked at him funny, knowing that’s probably not the real reason Katie kicked him out.

Josh just ignored her look.

“Well, you’re on the couch then,” Alex said.

“Thanks man.”

“Sure… whatever,” Alex mumbled.

“What’s wrong with you? If you don’t want me here, I can always go get a hotel room,” Josh said.

Alex sighed, “It’s not you, it’s Noah.”

Noah looked up from looking in the fridge for food, “What about me?”

“You know what nevermind,” Alex said.

“No, Alex tell me. I’m a big boy, I can take it.”

“Really?”

“Yes, so tell me.”

“Okay Noah, you’re a 25-year-old grown adult who was screwed up every great opportunity that has been given to you! Dad, Matt, and Andy have given you multiple chances to prove yourself and you just screw up. So, stop being fucking lazy! This is your last chance to actually do something decent with your life and not screw up. And if you screw up, like I said, I’m sticking you on the first flight back to mom and dad’s, and then only god knows what will happen,” Alex said staring down Noah the whole time, Addy and Josh looking on between the two brothers, until another person knocked on the door, “And when did this turn into Hotel Osterberg?”

“I’ll get it,” Addy said just as Noah attacked Alex, and they tumbled to the ground fighting with each other.

She peeked through the peephole and smiled as she opened the door, “Hi.”

“Hi- is Josh here?” Katie asked stepping in as she shut the door.

“Yeah, I’ll go get him,” Addy smiled and went to go grab Josh. “Hey Josh, Katie’s here for you.”

Josh’s eyes got wide and he smiled.

“She’s by the front door.”

“Thanks Addy,” Josh said heading to the door.

“Yep, I’ll just be here watching the Osterberg Brother rumble.”

“Okay,” Josh said spotting Katie.

“Hey,” Katie smiled.

“Hey,” Josh smiled back.

--

“Stop calling me a screw up.”

“I call them as I see it,” Alex said as they continued to fight on the ground.

“Okay you two- just stop it!” Addy said as they both stopped and were lying on their backs. “I’m trying to hear what Katie and Josh are talking about, you with you two fighting it’s making it a little tough”

Alex stood up, “I’m going to bed, I have to get up early for rounds,” he said before heading to the bedroom.

Addy just stood there looking a Noah.

“Are you going to help me?” he asked.

“Nope,” Addy said heading to the kitchen to hopefully eavesdrop on Josh and Katie 

“You suck!”

“Yeah, tell me something I don’t already know,” Addy replied rolling her eyes as Noah climbed his way on to the couch.

--

“So I just wanted to say I miss you, and I want you to come back home,” Katie said with tears in her eyes

“I’m sorry for calling you Tiffany, but it’s just habit since she was the last girlfriend I lived with,” Josh said.

Addy’s jaw dropped and she had to cover her mouth with her hands to prevent anything from coming out of it, and at that time she decided to go to bed before she said anything she would regret.

“Hey Noah- I’m heading to bed,” Addy said heading to the bedroom.

“Alright, night,” Noah said.

“Night.”

 

“Just don’t let it happen again,” Katie said hugging Josh.

“I can’t guarantee, it might happen a few more times,” Josh honestly said.

Katie pushed herself out of the hug, “What do you mean you can’t guarantee it.”

“I just mean, that Tiffany and I lived together for just over 2 years, so it’s habit to blurt her name out.”

“But it’s also been 2 years since you broke up, so that’s a habit that should have been broken a long time ago,” Katie said. “Actually, you know what, stay here for the night. I really don’t want to see you right now.”

And with that Katie walked out the front door leaving Josh standing there.

 

Meanwhile in Addy and Alex’s bedroom, Addy was getting ready for bed, while Alex was reading and group texting profanities to Matt and Andy for dumping Noah on him.

“So I don’t think Katie kicked Josh out because of the laundry or the dishes that were left in the sink,” Addy said changing into pajama bottoms, sighing, as they didn’t quite fit over her growing stomach.

Alex just looked at her, “What do you mean?”

“Well, we know Katie isn’t that much of a clean freak. She has piles of random piles all over her office, and when we’ve been over she still has dishes in the sink and some piles of clothes on the floor. So there’s something else going on,” Addy said walking into the bathroom.

“Maybe since she’s living with someone else, she’s trying to break her habit of not picking up after herself right away,” Alex said.

“No, there’s something else, as I just overheard Katie and Josh talking by the front door, and I guess Josh accidently called Katie, Tiffany.”

“Addy- let it go, and let them work out their problems on their own,” Alex said rolling his eyes while reading his book.

“I knew them moving in together so soon was a bad idea,” Addy said getting into bed as Alex’s text message alert went off. “Who are you texting?”

“Oh I just sent a group text to Andy and Matt calling them Asshole Fuckers for dumping Noah on me”

Addy shock her head. There quiet night and turned into a drama fest. Laying her head down she closerd her eyes, while Alex put his phone down and laid close to his wife.

"I love you."

Addy smiled. "I love you too."

She turned her head and kissed him softly.

"The stars did not line up for us today," he said laughing.

"No, no they didn't."

“But how about tomorrow you get the guys together for a guys night, and I’ll see if Katie wants to go shopping.”

“Why?”

“Cause I think Katie and I need to talk, and have some girly time together, plus my pants just keep tighter and the hairband I have holding them close right now- isn’t going to last long. So I need some new clothes anyway. Plus! Tomorrow is one of your short hour days, and it’s Friday, so why not, then we can have a quiet Saturday before Sunday, when we host the family dinner.”

“There’s no such thing as quiet here anymore, as long as Noah is around.”

“Well Casey, has a home stand this weekend, so Noah can hangout with him and go to Saturday night’s game- that way we get a few hours of quiet around here?”

“I like it- you’re so smart,” Alex mumbled snuggling closer to Addy before falling asleep

 

Katie paced her apartment. God what did he think that she was stupid? Maybe moving in was a bad idea. She loved him, but she did not want the past to come up.

“How would he feel if I called him Trevor by accident?” Katie thought as she got into bed.

She needed to talk to Addy, she was always good at this relationship stuff, and maybe they need some girl time tomorrow after work.

After thinking too hard, and her brain going a million miles an hour, she took a deep breath and closed her eyes, hoping to get at least some sleep.

Chapter 18 by daysgoby

The next day, Katie was at her desk trying not to fall asleep when Addy walked in, Katie didn’t hear her.

“Hey,” Addy said throwing a crumbled piece of paper at her.

“Uh what?” Katie mumbled waking up and leaning forward in her chair.

“At this rate, you’re going to give me Starbucks gold status for another few years. Why are you falling asleep anyway?” Addy asked handing Katie her venti size coffee.

“I couldn’t sleep last night, my brain was in over drive,” Katie said.

“So did you really kick Josh out for not picking up clothes or the dirty dishes in the sink?” Addy asked.

“No… is that what he told you guys?”

“Yeah, and I knew it was something else besides cleanliness,” Addy said looking around Katie’s messy, but organized, office.

“He called me Tiffany,” Katie said looking up at Addy. “I didn’t know what to do. What do I do Addy?”

“Um well…” Addy started. “We can figure it out tonight after work, because you and I are going dinner and shopping. I need some new clothes, as my hair tie trick isn’t going to last long.” Addy said lifting up her shit to show Katie her growing stomach and the hairband stretching almost to the max which were helping keep Addy’s pants on.

“Awww, look at your belly,” Katie smiled

"Alright, alright knock it off. So are you up to some shopping?" Addy asked as she covered her stomach back up.

"Of course!."

"Great you can buy me dinner tonight."

"Oh really?" She asked smirking.

"Yep, I'll be back at the end of the day." She waved and headed out of the office.

Katie waved back and went back to work. She had a meeting to get ready for, but all she could think about was what happened between her and Josh. It bothered her that he didn't think anything of it. Why should he, he's a guy, they don't get that sort of shit. Angrily she shook her head she needed to concentrate. Maybe tonight she could see what Addy truly thought and could help her.

 

Both of them had a long day and couldn't wait to get out of the office. Addy walked into her friend’s office.

"Please tell me you are ready I can't take much more of this place."

"Yep just let me close down my computer."

“Come on hurry up!”

“I’m coming, I’m coming” Katie laughed, and with that the two of them left the office and were headed out for their girl time.

As they were on their way to Azteca Mexican Restaurant, Addy got a text from Alex.

Hope you girl time goes better than this guys night right now

Why? Not having fun yet? - Addy replied.

Nope- Josh is sulking, Noah is trying to get in some girl’s pants and Casey is being Casey– Alex responded.

Poor baby! Get some beers in those guys and then you’ll have fun in no time

Addy pushed send and then put her phone away just as they arrived at the restaurant, and they soon got seated.

After Katie and Addy ordered their food, Katie decided then to ask Addy about her situation.

“So what do I do Addy? He called me Tiffany. You know Tiffany, now I wanna know what she’s like. Am I over analyzing and over thinking this?”

Addy took a deep breath, “Yes, you’re over thinking and over analyzing it, and no you don’t want to know what Tiffany is like, let’s just leave it at that. And after having some thought about what happened, I think it was a honest mistake that he made.”

“Really?”

“Yes, and this is how I see it. Did you ever while at school, accidently called your teacher, “mom” or “dad” by mistake and you immediately regretted it?”

“Yeah, so?”

“This is kind of the same thing.”

“I don’t know Addy…”

“Trust me. Josh already feels bad enough about it, and you over thinking it isn’t going to help. He knows it was a mistake. Don’t let this one fight get in between you two, because if you let this one come between you guys, what about the next fight? You guys just have to talk it out,” Addy said. “And in fact, I’ve accidently called Alex, Tanner, before and vice versa, hell I’ve even called Alex, ‘Hey You,’ and my brothers names before, but we’ve talked about it and told each other why we did it. It’s just a bump in the relationship road, we got over it, and so will you guys.”

Katie sat taping her finger against her forehead while thinking of what her friend had told her. “But I really wanna know about Tiffany.”

“Let’s just say I have nothing nice to say about her. She’s kinda a mix of Lexi and someone who’s famous for doing nothing. She comes from a very well off family, hasn’t worked a day in her life, daddy provides everything for her, and she thinks she’s the princess of the world, and everyone should bow down to her,” Addy said.

Katie stuck up her nose. "She sounds pleasant."

"Trust me she's not. If you encounter her you will need a shot of tequila. Actually you’ll need more than one shot of tequila."

"I will keep that in mind."

"So besides the whole Tiffany thing how is everything going with the two of you?"

"It's pretty good. I can't complain."

"And the sex?" Addy said wiggling her eyebrows. 

"Addy!" Katie exclaimed. "I am not one to kiss and tell."

"Oh come on you can tell me. How is it?"

Katie smirked and took a drink of her beer. "It's good."

"That's all I get. Damn you women."

Shrugging her shoulders Katie laughed. Their meal came and they started eating, keeping the conversation going. It was nice having some girl time, and some shopping therapy. 

After talking to Addy about the situation, Katie’s mind eased up a little. Addy was right, it was just a little bump in the road, and Josh honestly didn’t mean to call her Tiffany, as was evident in the multiple apology emails, voice mails, and text messages Katie got throughout the day. Everything just might turn out okay between her and Josh.

Chapter 19 by daysgoby

A Few Weeks Later

 

“So you’re having dinner with Katie tonight right?” Alex asked Addy over the phone, he was at home as it was his only day off this week.  

Addy sighed in response, as she went through her email. “Yeah, that’s the plan. I guess her and Josh had another fight this morning or last night or something, and she wants to get my take on it." 

“They’re fighting more then us,” Alex said.  

“Actually I think it’s about the same, plus their fighting isn’t being captured on camera. And, Katie mentioned something about how she wants their relationship to be like ours, since it’s ‘perfect’,” Addy said as she rolled her eyes.   

Alex let out a chuckle, “Ours is far from perfect, plus they’ve been together for only a few months, so they have a ways to go before perfection.”  

“We also have a ways to go ourselves,” Addy sighed. 

“Every couple has a long way to go to hit perfection,” Alex responded. 

“True- so what are your plans for tonight, since I won’t be home?” Addy asked.  

“Probably just go play some pickup basketball with Casey and the guys, so nothing too exciting,” Alex said, flipping through the channels on the TV, just trying to find something to watch.

“Well, maybe when you’re done, you can come and join us,” Addy smirked.  

“Um.. yeah, no thanks. I’ll let you and Katie have your time to chat and her time to drink,” Alex laughed.  

“I figured… oh have you started to wash the sheets yet?” Addy asked  

Alex looked towards the bedroom and then towards the laundry room from his spot on the couch, “Uh yeah." 

“Alex…”  

“They’re in the washer right now,” Alex lied.  

“Sounds good, but I gotta go so I love you and I’ll call you later,” Addy said looking up to see someone from the creative department at her door.  

“Bye- love you too." 

“Bye,” Addy said hanging up.  

“Guess I should go put the sheets in the wash,” Alex mumbled, slowly getting up from his spot on the couch.  

 

Around 5:30, Katie walked into Addy’s office.  

“Hurry up! Happy hour ends in a half hour,” Katie whined sitting on Addy’s office couch.  

“Just hold your britches, I just need to finish this email and then we can go,” Addy said starring at her computer.  

That’s when Katie started to hum the Final Jeopardy song.  

Addy looked up at her, “That’s not going to make me go any faster." 

“Well hurry up!”  

Addy typed a few more things, then clicked on a few things, then stood up. “Alright let’s go and get your happy hour on." 

Katie stood up and headed towards the door with Addy behind her locking up.  

Soon they arrived at Mile High Tap House and grabbed a table in the bar, as soon as they sat down, Katie already had her first drink of the night infant of her and Addy had her normal glass of water.  

“What are you going to get?” Katie asked

“What I normally get- they’re Root Beer pulled pork sliders. What about you?” 

“Probably just a burger,” Katie replied.

Soon their orders were taken, and after Katie had a few more sips of her drink, Addy dived right in. 

“So what are you two fighting about this time?" 

“It’s so dumb- but just him not taking out the trash,” Katie responded taking another drink. 

Addy just looked at her. “That’s it? That’s what the huge fight was about? Didn’t you two have this same argument last week?”  

“Yeah, but it’s a constant thing we’ve been fighting about,” Katie said downing the rest of her drink, just as the server brought her another one. “And I think our fighting is getting worse.”  

“Yeah but all couples fight, even about the stupidest thing. It’s just part of all healthy relationships,” Addy said just as their food arrived, and Katie downed her second drink. “And maybe you should be slowing down on the drinks.”  

Katie just gave her a look. “I had a shitty day, so I can drink as much as I want tonight.”  

Then her email alert went off on her phone, she looked down and rolled her eyes when she saw it was from Jim.  

“Great,” she mumbled, “And now here’s another reason I shall be drinking as much as I want tonight.”  

She tossed her phone to Addy.  

“So Jim wants to see you first thing in the morning? What’s the issue?”  

“I had another shitty meeting today, so I probably lost the client,” Katie said stopping a server who was talking by. “Can I get another beer and a shot of tequila?" 

The server nodded and walked away. 

“Was the meeting shitty because you two had this taking out the trash fight this morning and that was all your could think about?” Addy asked just as the server returned with Katie’s drinks. 

Katie took the shot, “I mean how fucking hard is it to take the trash out to the dumpster? The same dumpster, he parks next to every single damn day! It’s not that damn hard!”  

Addy just looked at her friend. 

“And like I keep telling you, it’s another bump in the road, and with you two moving in so soon, you both going to have a very bumpy road,” Addy said taking a drink of her water.  

“Oh screw you and your bumpy road shit. It’s not like you and Alex ever fight, you two are like the ‘perfect couple’.”  

That’s when Addy spit out her water. “Perfect couple? Yeah right! We are far from the perfect couple, that’s for sure.”  

“Bull shit! Then how come I never see you two argue? Like ever! It’s kinda sickening actually,” Katie said rolling her eyes.  

“Oh we fight trust me. Just because I don’t bring it in with me to work doesn’t mean we don’t argue or fight.”  

“Whatever,” Katie said taking another shot. Addy already knew her friend crossed the line of being drunk. “When have you two ever fought?”  

“Well let’s see- where do you want me to start?”  

“This should be entertaining,” Katie mumbled.  

Addy just looked at her.  

“Let’s see we fought all the time while at school, we fought while Alex was still in med school- which led to me stressing out and having my first miscarriage. Then we fought about moving from Boston to Denver, which I kinda led to my second miscarriage. We fight every year about plans for the holidays. We fought last week about loading the dishwasher, oh and multiple fights we had were caught on camera for the world to see when we were on the The Amazing Race… do you want me to keep going?” Addy said starring at Katie . 

Katie shook her head ‘no,’ then slurred, “Maybe- I should have just stayed with Trevor. Wonder what it would be like had I stayed with him.”  

That’s when Addy had enough; she pulled out her credit card and handed it to the server. “We’re ready to go." 

The server smiled and nodded.  

“Maybe it’s true, the grass isn’t always greener on the other side,” Katie slurred.  

The server returned with Addy’s card, Addy signed the receipt, and put her card back in her wallet. “Stop with the Trevor talk, and I’m tired of your crap, so let’s go, I’m getting you a cab.”  

Addy stood up and gathered her things, then helping Katie with hers, soon she was helping Katie walk outside.  

Lucky for Addy, a cab was already waiting. She opened the back passenger seat door and helped Katie get inside the cab. 

Katie was still mumbling about Trevor, “Do you think I should call Trevor?” 

Addy rolled her eyes. “Can you please take her to 2100 Bryant St. Here’s $40, that should cover it, and just keep the change. I’ll make sure someone is waiting to help her to her apartment.” 

The little old lady driver nodded and took the cash. 

“Alright Katie- this nice lady is going to take you home, and I’m going to call Josh to meet you in front of your building,” Addy said. 

“Do you think I should call Trevor? Give him another chance?” 

Addy rolled her eyes, “Katie, you’re drunk- so just go home. Josh is waiting, and no calling Trevor! I’ll check in with you in the morning,” Addy said shutting the back door. 

“Bye Addy! I’m sorry for yelling at you,” Katie said thru the window. 

“No worries,” Addy said waving bye as the cab drove away, making it way towards Katie and Josh’s apartment. 

She felt sorry for the little old lady driver, Katie talking her ear off about if she should call Trevor or not. Addy secretly hoped the lady wouldn’t respond, and Katie would forget about everything by the time she got home.  

Addy started to make her own way home, calling Josh on the way to let him know to meet Katie out front, and then hoping that Alex remembered to put the sheets from the wash into the dryer before he left for his pickup game.  

 

Katie had her head resting up against the back taxi window when it pulled up to her apartment complex. She saw Josh standing out front waiting for her. 

“Here you go ma’am,” the little old lady driver said. 

“Thanks,” Katie said opening the door. 

“Oh, and I wouldn’t worry about calling your ex, it’ll stay between you and me,” the lady smirked as Katie got out and shut the door, just looking at the driver as the cab took off down the road. Katie doesn’t even remember calling Trevor while in the cab. Did she really have that much to drink?

“Hey! You okay? Addy called saying you were pretty wasted,” Josh said approaching Katie 

Katie just turned around and looked at him, her buzz was starting to wear off. “Yeah, I’m just starting to get a headache.”

“Well let’s go upstairs, get you some Advil and get you into bed.”

“Sounds good,” Katie said following Josh to their apartment. 

Just as Josh was opening the door, Katie blurted out, “And I yelled at Addy.”

“I know, she told me,” Josh said as Katie just stood there. “Come on let’s get you into bed.” 

 

Meanwhile back at Alex and Addy’s place.

Alex walked into the loft, getting home later then he had anticipated. He just wanted to go play some pickup basketball with the guys; however, they somehow convinced him to out for drinks afterwards. 

As he walked into the living room, he noticed Addy sleeping on the couch, and then it dawned on him. 

“Shit!” he mumbled under his breath, going over to the laundry room. He opened the washer and noticed the sheets were still in there. 
“Fuck,” he rolled his eyes putting the sheets in the dryer, before heading back into the living room. 

“Sorry,” he whispered to Addy, waking her up a little. 

“You forgot to put the sheets in the dryer before you left,” Addy said not opening her eyes 

“I know, and I’m sorry.”

“It’s really not that hard Alex.”

“They’re in the dryer right now.”

Addy gave him a thumbs up, and turned her back to him as she went back to sleep. 

Alex sighed kissing Addy on the cheek and went to go get ready for bed. Looks like he’ll also be sleeping on the couch tonight. 

 

In the middle of the night

Katie was having a hard time sleeping. She kept tossing and turning, and her mind was in overdrive. She released Josh’s grip from around her, and got of out bed to taking a sleeping pill, hoping it would make her at least get some descent sleep tonight. 

She headed into the bathroom, and took a look in the mirror. 

“Oh God,” she mumbled seeing her reflection, rubbing her hands over her face. 

She quickly grabbed the pill container and swallowed the sleeping pill, as she took the pill, a single lighting strike lit up the apartment. 

Not thinking anything of it, she got back into bed and snuggled close to Josh. 

 

Chapter 20 by daysgoby
Author's Notes:

OMG.... What just happened? 

“Mama?” Katie heard whispered in her ear as she slept, but couldn’t place the voice. “Mama?”  

A few seconds later, Katie felt something or someone crawl on top of her, and sit on her back. 

“MAMA!” a voice shouted as this thing tried to open Katie’s eyelid. 

“Daddy! Why isn’t Mama waking up?” the mystery voice said, as Katie felt the thing on her back move off of her. Then she felt some more movement from someone who was next to her in the bed. 

She wasn’t quite sure if she should open her eyes, as she secretly wished this was a dream about her possibly future, and it was Josh laying next to her. 

“Well Mama had a rough night last night,” the person next to her said, as they got out of bed. 

She knew that voice and it defiantly wasn’t Josh’s, it was… Trevor’s voice. 

Oh God

“Come on Sophie- let’s get ready and let Mama sleep in a little before she has to go into work. How about some oatmeal for breakfast?” Trevor asked the little girl.

“No! Ice Cream!” the little girl shouted. 

“Shhh,” Trevor said, “No, ice cream… how about oatmeal?” 

“Ice Cream,” the girl said. 

“Oatmeal it is then,” Trevor laughed picking up the little girl while tickling her causing her to go into fits of laughter as they head downstairs to the kitchen.

As they left the bedroom, Katie opened her eyes, all while moaning at the bright light coming thru the window and feeling the pain of the pounding in her head. She noticed Advil and water on the night stand next to the bed, and then she looked around from her spot in the bedroom, and noticed this was defiantly was not her place that she had with Josh. 

There were pictures of her and Trevor and a little girl placed around the bedroom, different furniture, different bedding, just different everything. 

She grabbed her phone off the side table, praying that Addy was still in her contact list, but before she was able to get to her contacts she sighed in relief as she saw a text waiting from Addy. 

Are you doing okay this am? Thank you for last night, the talking helped :) 

Just as she was going to do some more digging in her phone for hints about what was going on, she heard the pitter patter of little feet coming towards the bedroom, with larger feet coming behind it. 

Katie quickly closed her eyes again and pretended to be asleep. 

“Alright Sophie, kiss Mama good bye and you’ll see her when she picks you up from daycare after work,” Trevor said quickly changing into his work clothes. 

The little girl kissed Katie on the cheek. 

“Bye Mama- I love you! Have a good day,” she said before running out of the room. 

Then Trevor leaned down and kissed Katie on the cheek. 

“Love you babe, and I’m on shift today, so I’ll see you tomorrow. Have a great day at work,” he whispered before walking out and closing the bedroom door.   

About an hour later, Katie had some how made it to work, just like it was a normal routine for her to get from the house that she woke up in this morning to the office. 

Once she walked in, she made a beeline straight to Addy’s office, which thankfully for Katie’s sake was in the same location it was in yesterday. 

She walked in and closed the door, only to find Addy on the phone. As she waiting for Addy, she looked around and noticed some of the décor was different, there were now little kid drawings hanging up, new photos around along with some familiar ones. She then got a glimpse of the wall calendar next to Addy’s desk and saw it was now the year 2019. 

“2019? It was 2014 yesterday,” Katie said under her breath as she took a plop on the Addy’s couch. 

“Alright… I’ll see you later… I gotta go, Katie just walked in looking dazed and confused… Yeah, I’ll let you know… Love you,” Addy said as she hung up the phone. 

“Hey!” Addy said. 

“What year is it?” Katie asked. 

“Huh? What do you mean what year is it?” 

“I’m serious! What year is it?”

“Um… 2019, like it’s been for the last 7-8 months. Oh yeah! Thanks for the girl talk last night, Alex and I talked when I got home and it was just a misunderstanding,” Addy said. 

Katie just sat there still with a confused look on her face. 

“Are you okay?”

“I really don’t know… I mean yesterday it was 2014 and now it’s 2019? Is this a dream I’m having or was that I dream I had? I really don’t know,” Katie said pulling her legs up to her chest and hugging them. 

“What are you talking about?”

“I don’t know if this is a dream or yesterday was a dream. I’m so confused!” 

“Well what was going on yesterday?”

Katie took a deep breath. “Well it was quite vivid, that’s for sure. But you know Josh? Alex’s friend?” 

“Uh.. yeah,” Addy answered swallowing the lump that had formed in her throat. 

“It was as if we were together. Meeting that one day he came in town for the job transfer interview, moving in together, and then I wake up this morning and I’m married to Trevor,” Katie said making a disgust face. “I mean is this a sign? Am I supposed to be with Josh instead of Trevor, or am I supposed to be with Trevor instead of Josh? I don’t know! I’m so confused Addy!” 

Addy stood up from her chair and went to go sit next to Katie embracing her in a hug.

“I’m sorry, I don’t know what to tell you lady,” Addy said, putting her head on Katie’s shoulder. 

“Well at least please sum up for the last 5 years because I surely don’t remember, and like I said all I remember is being with Josh.” 

Addy sighed and tried to think back. “Well let’s see what I remember from when Josh was in town that day was that you were going to come to dinner, but Trevor had surprised you at work just as we were leaving, and took you out to dinner so you guys can talk and work things out, and I tell you Katie, that boy did a complete 180 after that dinner. Don’t know what you guys talked about, but that night he was a changed person, paying for dinner, no longer being a dick, but an actual decent guy.” 

Katie just looked at Addy like she was crazy. 

Addy laughed, “I’m serious!” 

Katie just shook her head.

“So you two got back together that night, and I think he proposed a couple of months later, then married in 2016, then had Sophie 2 years ago and that’s the last 5 years summed up in a couple of sentences,” Addy said. 

“So what happened last night? Did I bump my head or something?” 

“Well we went out to dinner because I needed someone to talk to after finding a mystery phone number in Alex’s pants, so yeah we had a few drinks, talked, and then headed home. I don’t know what happened after you got home, but Alex and I talked about what I found and everything’s okay for now,” Addy said with hesitate in her voice.   

“So what about Josh? Should I go back to Boston and say I messed up and we need to be together because whatever was going on yesterday, I rather be with Josh more than I would ever want to be with Trevor.” 

“You can’t go back to Boston, Katie,” Addy said with sadness in her voice.

“Why?” Katie asked standing up. “Why, can’t I go to Boston to find Josh and say it was a mistake that I never met him that night?” 

Addy just looked at her from her spot on the couch. 

“Because Josh isn’t in Boston anymore,” Addy said. 

“So he’s here in Denver?”

Addy just shook her head no 

“LA?”

“No,” Addy sighed. 

“Dammit Addy! Tell me, I need to go see him!” 

Addy then stood up, “You can’t go see him, because he’s not here anymore.” 

Katie just looked at her like she was crazy. 

“What do you mean he’s not here anymore?” 

Addy swallowed hard, “He was killed in a car accident a few years ago.”

Hearing the news, Katie sat back down on the couch in shock and started to get tears in her eyes. Addy once again took her in a hug all the while texting Alex. 

Will you pick up Sophie from day care when you pick up Els and Em! Please! 

"He is not dead. You are lying," Katie finally snapped, she couldn't take any more news. Not today, not after what she had yesterday. 

"Katie I'm sorry."

"This is not happening. This is ridiculous."

"Katie calm down."

"I don't want to calm down. I want what I had yesterday. It was so different with Josh."

"Katie, just take it as a good dream." 

"No fucking shit. I want the dream to be real."

"You and I both know Katie, it can't be real."

"Ugh! God dammit." 

Getting up Katie left the office slamming the door behind her. Addy just sat on the couch stunned. What the fuck just happened she thought, just as her desk phone brought her out of her thoughts. 

"This is Addy,” she answered not looking at the caller ID. 

"What the hell is going on with Katie? I'm almost thinking of writing her up for how she just acted at me," Jim said admittedly. 

Addy swallowed thickly. 

"Is she drunk, because I've never seen her act like that?"

"Hmm.... No she's just having a bad day. I'll take care of it."

"Well she's in her office pacing." 

"I'll take care of it."

"You better or I'm sending her home to figure her shit out and by the way she has a meeting in fifteen, so you better make sure she's there on time."

"Jim, I said I will take care of it," she snapped and hanging up. 

Coming out of her office she headed to her friend’s office. It was time for a little tough love to get them at least through the workday. She didn’t become Vice President of Client Services just by sitting around.

"Katie."

"What?"

Tears were just rolling down her cheeks. Great Addy thought this was going to be harder then she thought. Going over she placed her hands on her friend’s shoulders, and looked her straight in the eyes. 

"Listen to me."

"I just don't understand what's going on. How could I miss five years?"

"Those five years are in there. You just have to think and get them back, but listen to me. You have to snap out of this right now. You have to work, and when five o'clock hits we will figure this out together. Now you've been doing this job for as long as I've known you, so I know for a fact you remember how to do. It’s time to work, dry your eyes, freshen up, and go do your job. You have a meeting in 10 minutes."

Katie slowly nodded her head and wiped her eyes. Going into her drawer, she pulled out a small makeup bag. After a few minutes she was finally ready to face her meeting. Grabbing her things she headed out of her office silently. 

Addy could only watch her go and shake her head. She needed to figure out how in the world her friend lost five years, and what in the hell made her think about Josh? 

Damn, it’s  going to be a long day Addy thought rubbing her face already exhausted mumbling, “Can it be 5 already?”

End Notes:
Hope you've been enjoying the story! Let us know what you think. We love comments and reviews. :) 
Chapter 21 by daysgoby

Later that night

 

 

“Alright, so they’ve been read not one, not two, but 3 bedtime stories and are now passed out. Sophie is in Elsie’s bed with her, and Emerik’s in his own bed,” Alex said coming from the twin’s bedroom into the living room, where Addy was watching TV while Katie slept on the couch.  “So, what’s going on?” 

“Well…,” Addy started as she got up from the couch, careful not to wake Katie up. “She came into my office this morning scared and confused. She said yesterday was 2014 and today she woke up in 2019.” 

“Josh? Josh!” they both heard Katie mumble in her sleep. 

Alex just looked at Addy. “Did she just say Josh’s name?” 

Addy looked back at Alex. 

“Why is she saying Josh’s name Addy?” 

"Yea, that's kinda the problem of the day."

"Addy?" Alex said curious. 

"She believes she was with Josh."

"Say what!"

"Alexander!” Addy hissed, while nodding Katie’s direction. 

"Sorry," he said softly. "She knows Josh was killed right. She remembers that right?"

"No, she doesn't remember! Hell, she doesn’t even remember the last 5 years."

Alex couldn't help but run his hand through his hair. "This is messed up. Does Trevor know?"

“I don’t think so,” Addy said heading into their bedroom with Alex hot on her heels. 

“So, if Trevor doesn’t know what’s going on, I’m taking it neither does Sophie?” 

“I highly doubt a 2-year-old is going to know what’s going with her mom right now,” Addy said changing into her PJs 

“You never know Addy. Kids normally have a sixth sense about these things,” Alex said sitting on the bed. 

“Look, I’ll call Trevor at the station, and just let him know that Katie and Sophie are over here for the night, and I’ll sleep in the living room just in case she wakes up in the middle of the night. Don’t worry, I’ve got it handled for now.” 

“How can I not worry Addy? She thinks she has another life with Josh! I think I’m in the right to worry, he was one of my best friends,” Alex said, just as his text message alert went off. 

Addy rolled her eyes. “Is that her? ‘Nurse’ Becky? Actually, I don’t want to know. I’m going to call Trevor, go to bed and try to prepare for the morning,” Addy said grabbing her pillow and making her way back into the living room, leaving Alex in his spot on the bed. 

He grabbed his cell phone, checking the text message hoping it wasn’t from whom Addy was thinking it was from. 

 

Meanwhile back in the kitchen, Addy was giving Trevor a call. 

“Denver Fire…” the person answered. 

“Is Trevor Bratcher there?” Addy asked.

“Um, yes hold on,” the person on the other side said. After a short hold and some muttering in the background, Trevor was on the phone” 

“This is Lt. Bratcher,” Trevor said. 

“Trevor, it’s Addy.”

“Oh hey! What’s up?”

“I just wanted to let you know that Sophie is staying over here for the night, and Katie thought she would just stay over as well,” Addy said biting her thumbnail, a little fib won’t hurt Trevor right now. 

“Um, sounds good thanks for the call,” Trevor said. 

“No problem, didn’t want you to worry tomorrow when you get home and they’re not there,” Addy said. 

“I appreciate it. Tell them good night for me.”

“I will… and you have a good night also.”

“I will, thanks Addy.”

“Like I said, no problem. Bye,” Addy said hanging up her cell phone. 

 

She knew she should have told him, but it wasn't a conversation for the phone and during a shift. Sighing, she looked towards the living room. She couldn't understand how things could have gone so wrong with her husband. They were struggling and she didn't know if they were going to be able to fix it. 

 

Then there was Katie. The talk they had over dinner was crazy, and Addy tried to understand what was going on, but her friend had jumped off the deep end. She almost wanted to travel and see Josh's grave to prove to Katie that he was gone, but the main question was never answered. What made her think of Josh, and what made her think they had a relationship? This whole thing was crazy, and she wouldn't mind it going back to normal. 

 

Katie woke up and stared at the ceiling. She had, had another dream of Josh, and it was so real to her. Rubbing her forehead she wondered where she was. Looking around she noticed it was Addy and Alex’s, she noticed Addy was sleeping on the other part of the sectional couch. Her head hurt from trying to think of her and Josh, but when she was with him it felt so right. 

Chapter 22 by daysgoby

Later that night, back in the bedroom, Alex’s phone was going off as he was on call at the hospital for the night. In his groggy state, he looked at his phone and saw a text message from an unknown number, telling him that he was needed because there was a multiple car accident on the highway with multiple children involved. He didn’t question it, but just got up and got ready to go to work. 

He stepped out into the living room and saw his wife and one of her best friends sleeping on the sectional. He smiled at the site in front of him, then walked over to Addy and kissed her on the cheek. 

“Got called in, so I’ll see you later. Love you,” Alex whispered to Addy before leaving the loft. 

He knew him and Addy were struggling with their marriage, and they both wanted to fix it, but neither one knew how or even where to start. Plus, the new 1st year resident, Becky, wasn’t helping the situation. 

As soon as he got to the hospital, he put his stuff away in his locker, changed into his scrubs and went to go check in at the nurse’s station to see what was going on. As he was walking through the ER, he noticed how quiet it was and that there really was no huge emergencies going on. 

“Hey Emily & Nat,” Alex greeted two of the veteran ER nurses while yawning. 

“Hey Alex! What are you doing here? Aren’t you on call tonight?” Natalie asked. 

“Uh yeah, I got a message saying to come in as there was a multi MVA on the highway with multiple kids involved,” Alex said. “I didn’t question it and just came in.” 

“Um… well hate to break it to you, but there’s nothing like that going on,” Emily said looking around. “So, lucky you can go back home and go back to bed.” 

“Sooo… neither of you sent this message?” Alex said showing the two ladies his phone just as one of the other ER doctors who were on duty came up. 

“Osterberg! What are you doing here? Aren’t you on call tonight?” asked Dr. Jason Tate, one of the other emergency room doctors.  

“Yeah I am, but I got a message saying that I needed to come in because there was a multi-car accident with kids,” Alex said getting frustrated with this by the minute. 

Jason looked around the ER, “Yeah, nothing like that yet tonight. Just your average ER night, nothing too exciting.” 

Alex then looked at his phone, “So, none of you sent this message?”

“Nope,” he heard from everyone around him. 

“Plus, you know the hospital never sends on call text messages, they always use the pagers,” Jason said. 

“Yeah, I know,” Alex said rubbing his face. “But with the lack of sleep and with family and friend issues going on right now, I didn’t bother to call and check.  Well thanks anyway guys! Hope you have a good rest of your night.” 

Just as he turned around, he ran into Becky, the very well endowed red head first year ER resident, who he also made the mistake of sleeping with when they were both very drunk a couple of months ago.  The same night, Addy was out of town at a conference and the twins were at their Uncle Lukas’ place for the night. 

“Hey!” Becky smiled. 

“Becky…” Alex said as Jason patted his shoulder on his way to check on patients. 

“I was the one who sent the message. I just wanted to see you, and I didn’t think it was such a big deal,” Becky said putting her hands on his stomach. 

“Becky! This has got to stop! We need to talk,” Alex sternly said removing her hands from his stomach. 

 

**BACK AT THE LOFT** 

Sophie walked out of the bedroom she was staying in, her blonde hair going every which way and one of her PJ pant legs pushed up, she was on the hunt for her mom, and found her on the couch fast asleep. 

She knew something was going on with her mom, and watched to make sure everything was going to okay. She crawled up on the couch and snuggled up next to Katie and fell asleep again. 

Katie opened an eye when she felt someone crawl up on the couch and snuggle close to her. She watched as the 2-year-old got confortable then fell back asleep. Only this time, Katie didn’t freak out, as there was something strangely calm about this and for some reason she was okay with it and fell back asleep with her arms around Sophie.   

 

**BACK AT THE HOSPITAL** 

“Becky- we really need to talk about this,” Alex said. “How about we talk in one of the on-call rooms, so one can disturb us.” 

“Fine by me,” Becky smiled taking Alex’s hand and leading the way. Alex immediately took his hand back and followed her in to one of the rooms. 

As Becky shut the door behind them, she pushed Alex up against the door and started to kiss him hard on the lips, while starting to take off his scrub top.

That’s when Alex was able to push Becky off of him. 

“I told you Becky- this has got to stop! The text messages, the phone calls, just everything has to stop!” 

“But I don’t want to stop, it just feels soo good,” Becky moaned as she moved her lips from Alex’s neck back to his mouth, only to have Alex push her away. “Oh getting rough? I like it” 

“Yeah it feels good to you because it’s so wrong, and that’s why it has to stop! That one night, we were both drunk and it shouldn’t have happened,” Alex said moving from his spot on the door to sit on one of the beds in the room. 

“But it did happen Alex! And it was great and amazing, and I want this thing between us to happen,” Becky said. 

“It’s not going to happen! There is no ‘us’- it was a drunken one-night thing! My wife was out of town, and my twins were at their Uncle’s because I had to work overnight,” Alex said. “It was a mistake that was never supposed to happen! It was just supposed to be drinks with co-workers after work that’s it!” 

“But you know I can give you so much more than your wife can,” Becky said as she started to take off her shirt.  

“Keep your fucking shirt on. This is done and over with- NO MORE!” Alex said slamming the door as he left the room. 

“Bye you guys,” Alex said to Emily and Natalie on his way out. 

“Bye Alex- have a good rest of your night,” they said, just as Becky walked out of the on-call room while putting her top back on, making sure it looked like they just had hooked up in the room. 

When Alex got home, he had noticed Sophie made her way out to her mom, and he was to exhausted to make it to the bedroom or to change, so he just went over to cuddle next to Addy, waking her up. 

“Hey,” Addy whispered. “I thought you were at work.”

“I was, but it was just a false alarm,” Alex said, “And I was just too lazy to change back into my street clothes”

“Awww… you know I love how adorable you look in your scrubs.” 

“I know, I can’t help it,” Alex smiled wrapping his arms around Addy, who just closed her eyes, and then she sneezed. 

“Are you okay?” Alex said. 

“I don’t know?” Addy said sneezing a few more times. “What’s that smell? It kinda smells like cheap perfume from Victoria’s Secret.” 

“I don’t know, I can’t smell anything,” Alex said closing his eyes. 

Addy sneezed again, and this time into Alex’s scrub sleeve, and that’s where she really smelled the perfume. 

“Alex, it’s on your shirt. You went to go see her huh?” Addy asked turning over to face him, and trying not to cause both of them to fall off their part of the sectional. 

Alex just looked at his wife and sighed, “She was part of the false alarm problem. Nothing happened though.” 

Addy closed her eyes; “Whatever, we can talk about it later, but at least can you take off the scrub top? The smell is starting to give me a horrible migraine.”

Stripping off his scrub top he looked at his wife. "Addy I swear to you nothing happened. I pushed her away and told her enough was enough. I swear Addy." He exclaimed. 

"I don't want to hear your excuses."

"Please believe me."

"I'm tired and I would like to go back to bed," she said turning her back to him and falling back asleep. 

Alex sighed sadly. "God, I love you Addy." Pressing his head into her back and falling sleep himself. 


Chapter 23 by daysgoby

The Next Morning

 

Katie stood staring at the fridge in Addy and Alex’s kitchen when a Christmas card had caught her eye. 

"Addy?"

"Yea?" Addy asked, looking up from making coffee. 

"Who's this?" Katie asked pointing at the picture. 

"Hmm... That's..." Addy stuttered. "Just one of Alex's old high school friends." 

"The little boy looks so freaking familiar," she said studying the picture. 

Addy bite down on her lip, as she put the cereal bowls the kids left in the dishwasher. Thinking why couldn’t have Alex put the dishes away before leaving with the kids to go to his weekly pickup basketball game. Addy just shook her head in disbelief at her husband. 

"You know who it looks like."

"It's Josh's son." Addy finally confessed. 

Katie looked over with wide eyes, and then looked back at the picture. It brought tears to her eyes, and the image of her and Josh together came rushing back. 

"How did I screw this all up?"

"Katie, you didn't screw up. Trevor is a good husband and you have a beautiful daughter. You have to get Josh out of your head, it didn't happen I'm so sorry."

"So is this is wife?"

"No, just a girlfriend. He accidentally got her pregnant. Zachary was only two years old." Addy said, knowing to leave out the part about Josh talking about how he was going to proposed to her. 

"Oh that poor little thing." Her heart was breaking. “Is that Tiffany then?” 

"Oh god no. Tiffany was long out of the picture. That’s Sam, but Katie, I'm begging you to just move on. Come on, we should be getting ready for work." 

Addy grabbed a mug from the Keurig and handed it to her friend. Addy could tell that Katie just wasn't there with her, and was somewhere else. Shaking her head, she gently put her hand on her arm. 

"Just let it go, Katie. Work on trying to remember the present. The past is in the past, so just leave it alone."

With that Addy took her coffee and headed towards her and Alex’s room. 

Katie stood there for a few minutes. Taking the magnet off the picture, she took it with her to the guest bath. 

 

*A FEW DAYS LATER*

"Hey, do you know what is going on with Katie?" Trevor asked. 

He had asked Alex to lunch, because he needed to know what was going on with his wife. She wasn't sleeping and she had been crying the past few nights, but she would never tell him why. 

Alex took a long drink of his beer, and looked up at his friend and wondered what he should say. Should he tell him the truth or change the subject? 

"Trevor. Please don’t make me do this," Alex mumbled. "But do you remember my friend Josh?"

"Yea the one that past away in the car accident, right?"

"Yes. The same night you and Katie got back together around 5 years ago, well, she was supposed to go out to dinner with Addy and I to meet him. Well I guess a couple of nights ago Addy and Katie got together for drinks, and something was brought up and that night Katie had, I guess, a vivid dream that she was with Josh. Trevor, she doesn't remember the last 5 years."

Trevor stared at his friend in disbelief. He was quiet. Alex didn't know what more to say or do, and after several minutes went by Alex couldn't take it anymore.

"Trevor?"

"How... How can she just fucking forget?!"

"I don't know dude. I guess you just have to give her time. I'm sure she will just get back into a routine and everything will get back to normal." 

"Give her freaking time? What the hell am I suppose to do while she's trying to figure out her shit? We have a daughter to take care of. What about me? How am I supposed to just sit back? You’re a doctor, can’t you do something?" 

"Trevor settle down! And yes I’m a doctor, but there’s nothing I can do- that’s a neurologists job, not a pediatric emergency doctors.

"God this is just mad. She's my wife."

"I know she's your wife and she will still be your wife. I just don't know what to tell you besides just to give her time."

Trevor only shook his head and looked away trying to fight his emotions as they finished their lunch in silence. 

"Where are you going Trevor?"

"To visit my wife."

"I don’t think that would be a good idea."

"Don't tell me what to do."

It was no use, the man pushed his friend away and quickly got into his car. Alex rubbed his hand over his face. This was very bad, he thought as he texted Addy to give her a heads up. 

Trevor stormed into Pikes Peak Advertising, walking right past the receptionist and straight for his wife’s office.  

"Katie!" Trevor said opening her office door. 

"Trevor!" She exclaimed jumping in her seat. 

"When did we get married?" 

"What?"

"When did we get married?" 

Suddenly Katie felt her heart start to race. She honestly couldn't remember. 

"How can you not fucking remember when we got married?"

"I don't know," she whispered. "I'm sorry."

"You aren't with him Katie. He's fucking dead."

"Please stop," Katie whispered, as she noticed people were staring in their direction.  

"How could you even forget about Sophie being born? She's our life Katie. Our life!"

"Trust me Trevor I'm trying to figure things out. So, I'm sorry this is happening."

"It's all in your damn head. Snap out of it Katie." 

"Trevor! What are you doing here?" Addy asked walking into Katie office, not getting Alex’s text. 

"Thanks for being a good friend and telling me what was going on." Trevor hissed looking at Addy as he turned back to his wife. "I fucking expect you to be home tonight." Then left the office. 

Closing her eyes, Katie tried being somewhere else. This had turned into a complete nightmare. 

"Katie you ok?" Addy asked. 

"I don't know what to do. I should remember this shit. This shouldn't be happening." 

"Get back to work you two," Jim explained loudly walking by. 

 

Addy gave her friend a encouraging smile then left closing the door behind her, while telling everyone else to get back to work.

Opening her desk drawer Katie pulled out the small Christmas card she had stolen from her friends fridge and stared at it. The little boy gave her the image of Josh. She remembered the day they had met. She remembered the dinner the four had and the feelings in her stomach. The butterflies had been real that night, she just knew it, but she was married and God help her to remember the last five years. What stumped her most was what happened for her to forget. Did she drink too much? Hit her head? Looking back at the picture she knew she had to meet that little boy

Chapter 24 by daysgoby
Author's Notes:
Finally getting to update!! Thank you for all who have been reading, but please let us know what you think.

Back in Addy’s Office

 

Addy was on the phone with Alex seeing if there was anything they could to help Katie. 

“I mean can we get her in to see one of your neurologist doctor friends?” 

“I’ll try, but Addy it won’t be easy because somehow you’ll have to convince Katie to actually come to the appointment. Maybe we should try and get her to see a therapist. I mean there has to be a way to figure out what’s going on with her,” Alex said. 

That’s when a light bulb went off in Addy’s head. “Actually Alex, hold that thought, I’ll call you back,” she said before hanging up the phone leaving Alex confused on the other end. 

Addy grabbed a notepad and ran down to Katie’s office, she didn’t want to loose the idea she had going on in her head. 

When she got to the office, Katie was on the phone, so Addy started doing the “hurry up and get off the phone” dance. Katie said good-bye to whoever was on the other end, and just looked at Addy. 

“What are you doing?” Katie asked, hanging up the phone as Addy sat in the chair across from her. If Alex was going to take his sweet time getting a neurologist involved, well Addy was going to play therapist. 

“Okay, so you say that you remember this whole other life from like 5 years ago, and nothing from then to now correct?” 

“Uh yeah, what are you getting at?” Katie asked staring at her friend. 

“Well, what do you remember from that night, the night before this all happened?” Addy asked while opening her notebook and getting ready to write down Katie’s answers. 

“Well…” Katie started. “You and I went out for drinks and dinner, but you couldn’t drink because you were pregnant, but I need some girl talk because Josh and I had another big fight…” 

“Hm um, and were you and Josh fighting often?” Addy asked just as Jim popped his head in. 

“You two are working right?” Jim asked looking between the two. 

“Yeah, just throwing ideas around for a client,” Addy smiled. 

“Good,” Jim said before. 

Katie continued. “Well more often than not, we had just moved in together after only being together for a month or so.” 

“Do you remember what the fight was about?” 

“No, not really, but we did have a few about his job and how he called me Tiffany a few times, but don’t remember this one. It was probably about something stupid,” Katie said. “And at that point, he was probably just getting on my nerves.” 

Katie just watched Addy for a second, as she was writing everything down. 

“Are you writing this down?” 

Addy looked up from her notes. “Yeah, I just wanna try and help you because I know this is stressing you out. So go on, what else happened that night that you remember?” 

“Well, somehow Trevor came up in the conversation and…” then that’s when it dawned on Katie, she covered her mouth in shock. 

“And… what happened?” Addy asked, looking at her friend. 

“Then I think I said something like, did I make the right choice with Josh and mentioned that I wondered what my life would be like had I stayed with Trevor, and something along the lines of is the grass always greener on the other side kinda thing,” Katie said looking at Addy. “Oh, then I kinda remember getting into bed with Josh, but sleeping like shit, tossing and turning, so I got up to go to the bathroom to take a sleeping pill, and there was a weird single lightning strike, and then I just went back to bed.”

Katie watched Addy finish writing. “Do you think it had something to do with what I said that night and it turned into a Freaky Friday type thing?” 

Addy looked at her notes as she stood up. “I don’t know lady, but I’ll try and help you kinda of figure out what’s going on, and if not at least get the last 5 years back.”

Well, I’m thinking of making a trip to Boston…” Katie started. 

“Please don’t… at least not yet,” Addy interrupted, and with that she was on her back to her own office. 

When she got back to her office, she noticed multiple missed calls and text from Alex. Just as she was about to call him, her desk phone rang and she didn’t even need to look at the caller ID to know who it was. 

“I told you I would call you back, so there was really no need for all the phone calls and text,” Addy said. 

“Sorry, but I know how you get when that light bulb goes off in your head,” Alex said. 

“So, do you wanna know what I found out or not?” Addy asked, starting to get impatient. 

“What did you find out?” 

“Well Katie might have experienced some kind of Freaky Friday kind of thing,” Addy said as Alex started to laugh. “Fine if you wanna laugh, laugh, but that just means I’m going to hang up and I won’t tell you the details.”

“Fine, I’ll stop laughing, but Addy, you have to know something like that doesn’t exist right? It’s just something that happens in the movies,” Alex said. 

“You know what? I’m just going to hang up,” Addy said rolling her eyes. 

“No, Addy please don’t hang up. I’m sorry, what did you find out?” Alex asked just as he got a page. “Actually, tell me later, I just got paged, so I have to go.”

“Bye. Love you”

“Love you also, and I promise I do want to know what you found out,” Alex said. 

“Yeah okay, I’ll just talk to you later,” Addy said hanging up the phone, then rubbing her face in frustration and letting out a big frustrated groan. 

Throughout the afternoon, Addy kept trying to Google some of what Katie was experiencing, but nothing came up. 

A few doors down, Katie was debating on if she should hit the “purchase” button on the travel website she was on. But every time she was about to hit it, Addy’s voice kept creeping up telling her not to do it, so she closed the website and grabbed her phone. 

She typed, “Grilled cheese and tomato soup for dinner?” and hit send. 

Never in a thousand years did she think she would send a text like that to Trevor, but it seemed like second nature to her, and for some reason the talking to Addy about what happened might have helped her a little. 

At the end of the day, Addy stopped by Katie’s office to say goodbye. 

“So, just wanted to stop by and say have a good night,” Addy smiled.

“You too. Wait! What are you guys doing tonight?” Katie asked. 

“Um… well Alex is working and so it’s just me and the twins, so we’ll just probably watch a movie or something. Why?” 

“Why don’t you guys come over? We’re having grilled cheese and tomato soup,” Katie smiled wiggling her eyebrows up and down. 

Addy had to laugh. “Um thanks, but no thanks, I don’t think Trevor wants to see me for awhile. Plus it’ll be good for the three of you to be together without us around and get back into the routine. So you have a good night, and I’ll see you tomorrow.” And with that Addy was on her way home. 

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2780