August-Eight Thousand-Fifteen_A Fateful Meeting! - New/Re-written Version!!!!!! by kopfkinokate
Summary: I'm sorry I deleted the old version completely! ... It just didn't make me happy. So, I sat down awhile ago again... and did some rewrite of almost every chapters and more. Happy re-reading & hopefully this will be to your liking as well as ....mine - for ...maybe "forever"!?? ;o) LOL!
Categories: In Progress Slash Stories Characters: Group, JC Chasez, Lance Bass
Awards: None
Genres: Drama, Fantasy, General, Humor, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: No Word count: 14155 Read: 733 Published: Jul 04, 2016 Updated: Jul 04, 2016

1. Chapter 1_ by kopfkinokate

2. Chapter 2_Beach...Sand...Dogs run loose by kopfkinokate

3. Chapter 3_Gallery openings, water Coolers and new friends and a tour of the special kind... by kopfkinokate

4. Chapter 4_A House with a Surprise within by kopfkinokate

5. Chapter 5_Unfinished articles and ... or flying laptops to prevent then? by kopfkinokate

Chapter 1_ by kopfkinokate
Author's Notes:

The story basically remains the same as last year. I just had to make some tiny, minor... and sometimes major changes. You know how it goes sometimes, ....?! ;)

I hope you're going to enjoy this (second run.), maybe even more... And remember feetback, reviews are always welcome! 

p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 120%; }

August, 8th ... A day, when anything can happen. Or was it even meant to be?...


"Just a day, just another year..." He heard the song starting, when he felt himself awakening. "But in our eyes you are the best... We're gonna love you... Gonna love you above the rest... ."

A moan escapes from his lips, as he heard it and felt the sun shining through the slight gap in the curtains, next right on his face. He heard footsteps padding across the floor. His eyes stayed close all the while and he felt the mattress beside him sinking in.

"Morning, birthday boy!", a voice so sweet and cheerfully said right next near his right ear. The moan from earlier turned into a lions roar. But his eyes stayed close. And he just raised an arm up and covered half his face with it. The voice, a female by the sound of it, spoke again.

"Josh? Are you awake yet?", she asked and plants a sweet, soft kiss onto his right cheek. "Come on. Wake up. Oh, and by the way ... Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday just for you, sweetie!", he heard her singing along to the song in the background. He wanted to open his eyes now, and see her. But for some reason he couldn't. He wouldn't? He just stayed the way he was. Covering his face, eyes with his left arm. Eyes tightly closed, as well.

"Schizo? Come on. Wake up. I'm not letting you stay in bed all day. Not today! Not on your birthday!", he heard her saying. He felt his arm slowly dropping down from his face. And slowly, very slowly he opened his eyes, to look into ...

 

~*~

Thin air. He saw no one. The curtains were still drawn close before the windows. Daylight only slightly was trying to get in his bedroom, through a very little gap between them. But the room was still dark, in general. And he was alone. It was only a dream. He moaned and grabbed the second pillow from next to him, to put it on his face. Trying to escape reality and go back to his latest dream again ... or to sleep in general. Maybe?

He woke up, with a slight start, again. When the sun already was up high, and enlightened the bedroom in its full glory sunshine and warmth. He turned his head around, to watch the clock on his left side nightstand. The numbers on its screen were telling him that it was 11:10 am. Ugh. He thought just. Great. There goes my productive morning, then. Again. As he glanced back at the clock, he saw what date it was also today. Oh, what the heck. He thinks. It's not like I have to be anywhere. But here... He made himself more comfortable, pulling up the sheets, and plunging the pillow beneath his head. And just had a great idea. It's a perfect day, to stay like this all day!

He closed his eyes, for a minute or so. When he realized he couldn't go back to sleep anymore. He reopened his eyes and just stared at the ceiling. A couple minutes past by then. As he lies staring, like this. He sighed, and turned on his site. When something came jumping on top of his covers then. The dark brown-white colored Border Collie he adopted about two years ago; Max (and which was just about the same age back then.) was slowly moving towards him now. He raised his hand slightly up, next. Stroking its head affectionately and bending his upper body forward to kiss its snout also.

"Hey, Maxi!" JC called out towards him. "How do you feel about a whole day in today?!" Then he reached under his bed, and pulled his laptop, he left there last night, up and set it onto the covers and his lap. While he sits up a little straighter against the headboard himself. "Alright, then. Lets see, what comes to mind now, Max ...!" He smiled to himself and to his dog who just was lying down beside him, while he opened the lid of his laptop and fired it up, next. He checks in his emails if something new came in, since last night. Nothing so far, but a bunch of Notifications from his Twitter only. As usual though. Then opened a new word document next, and just begins typing. First only a few words. And more. Then those words ... didn't sound as right to him anymore and he just marked the whole paragraph, then pressed the delete - button. The bridge of his nose and his eyes began a little to twitch right there as Josh pinched it softly with his thumb and index-finger. He decided to take a break for now. He sat the laptop down beside him, onto the sheets. Breathed in a heavy sigh, and stretched his arms out over his head, next. His right hand landed on top of his head. While his other just drops down onto his blanket where his belly was underneath. When Max starts licking the left hand of his master right there. He rubbed over his face, and couldn't stifle a great yawn this minute anymore. He just covered his mouth, with his right hand. Then would pull his left hand away from the dog's affectionate tongue-licking and swings his legs to his left side out of bed, to sit on the edge of it. "Okay. Okay, I'm up now." His look fell towards the Smart Phone of his, that was lying next to his alarm clock and little voice recorder, he uses to record ideas, tunes etc.; in case his laptop or Smart Phone battery were just recharging, and plugged into the electric outlet, or empty. His left index-finger darted towards, and pushed down on the touch screen quickly. Which made the black screen, light up in a soft white light, and showed him his locked screen with the exact time and date, plus how many unanswered calls or messages and emails he'd been missing already. He didn't care for now. And stood from his bed. Joshua walked around its foot, and into the walk-in closet right across from him then. To pick some fresh clothings for today. It didn't take him long, and he walked back out of it, with a pile of clean clothes (a pair of dark blue jogging pants and equally dark V-neck t-shirt.) and he headed straight for his masters bathroom, inside the bedroom. On his left side, coming out of the closet.

 

Twenty minutes later, he stood in his kitchen. That was mainly integrated into the living area, and only parted through some high archway, that was the little foyer, which lead to the front and garage door, too. He had opened the patio door, to let Max out into the backyard when they both came down the staircase right next to the entrance to the small foyer. Now, Josh stood by the counter that was centered in the middle of the kitchen and across the stove and refrigerator. He walked over towards a cupboard above the stove and another counter top. Opening a door, he grabbed the coffee can. Then went to get the electric water jug, to fill it with some water from the faucet. Set it back on its electric plate and turned the switch on. Meanwhile, Josh grabs the coffee maker he usually used and began counting up some grind coffee beans from the can, with a tea spoon still inside the can. After the water was boiling, he poured it slowly into the glass jug and let the coffee brew a few minutes. He made his way to the fridge again and looked inside. He settled himself for making just some eggs in a pan, and two slices of toast with butter, in addition to his coffee. Then he prepared Maxi's food in his bowl, and filled his water bowl with fresh one, as the dog walked around the corner just in time.

The coffee was hot and strong, and slightly seemed to burn though his throat. But it tasted great. And helps him awakening even quicker. He took a bite of some scrambled eggs onto his fork, and into his mouth. Before biting a piece from his buttered toast next. While he just enjoyed his breakfast or brunch. The phone, standing in its charger across from him, on the other counter, just ringed once then twice. And a third time. He jumped slightly of the stool at the sound of it. And went the two to three strides and grabbed it from its charging station. Watching the ID-Caller at first. Before he could asked the caller what he or she might wanted though. A woman started yelling into his ear by now: "Happy Birthday, my baby boy!"

Josh recognized his mother's voice. And smiled only in response.

"How're you feeling today, hon?", she starts with the questions already. "Are you good? Did you sleep last night? Are you alone?...".

Josh blew out some carbon dioxide, in a small audible sigh from his lips just.

"Hey, Mum! Thanks for your wishes. I'm fine. I am eating breakfast and drinking my coffee this second, as we speak. Watching Maxi eating out his bowl... How're you and dad doing?", he answered her interrogation and sat back on his former occupied stool, as well. Just listening patiently to his mum telling him what's going on in their life, over in Florida. His responses, every now and then, were short answers, with hmm's and ah's, in letting her know that he was still there with her. Or occasionally asking her something back. While he was shewing and gulping his food and drink in between.

"Josh?", he heard his mum say in his ear next. "I hope you enjoy your day without any kind of stress, or work, then. I wish you a lovely day, son! Call Lance or Tyler or some other friend of yours if you might feel alone too much, and just have a nice time with them, okay? See you soon, son!"

Joshua felt slightly embarrassed by the suggestion by his mum there. But he cleared his throat, with a slight coughing, and thanked her again for her well wishes, and concerns. And most of all her love and support over the years. Then he heard a rustling inside the phone, and his mum talking to somebody else, away from the receiver of her end. And a few seconds later, a newer voice congratulated him for his birthday, even.

"Happy Birthday, Josh!", his father's voice was heard shortly afterward. Who's asking him the same as his mum before as well, on how he was doing nowadays. JC thanked him again, and told him also that he was doing just okay for the matter of him turning older and greyer these days. They both shared a little chuckle to this. And his dad responded only with, "We all do, son!"

"I know." Josh replied, a little monotonously and with a sigh. "I just feel weird now, with all my friends getting married, and starting their own family, you know?"

"Josh!" his dad said in a more serious matter now. "Don't let yourself down by this, son! You'll find her soon enough. Don't stress yourself over something like this! You'll find your Mrs. Right, someday!"

 

He's right, JC thought only. Of course he is. He knows me, for already thirty-something years, he knows how insecure I must feel with each and everyone getting hitched and beginning their new life-chapters. And what about me? Well. Basically, I'm getting closer and closer to my forties year. But am still in the same single-household I've been in for nearly ten and more years. Again! Crap! Why is it that every woman I meet, only seems to be right in the beginning. But after a few months in the relationship, they reveal their true and ugly faces?


~*~

WHAT THE HECK?

She thought, when reading the just arrived E-Mail from her editor of the newspaper she was working part-time for only a couple weeks now. Melanie Deißfuss could only gasp at the writing on her laptop screen.

 

Das soll jawohl ein Scherz sein, oder was?

 

She thought unbelievingly just. According to the E-Mail her editor just sent, he was sending her on a trip to L.A.? To take on this weekend, even? How in the world, should she even make that possible? According, to her editor it had to do with some function that came from some LA artist's company in that town, but she doesn't even have a clue why her editor would sent her, at all. On the other hand, it was Los Angeles, right?

After Mel - as her friends and family just call her - had called her editor, to confirm her data and got every basic information she'd be needing to know for this trip. She just started dancing through her apartment, for a whole hour, or two, right there.

 

~*~

On August, 9th, she was sitting on that airplane from Tegel Berlin, towards Brussels, at four thirty in the morning. It'd take another change of flight until she'd be on her actual flight to the City of Angeles. But at three in the morning, still August, 9th, Melanie was just about to take her seat on the airplane from Brussels towards N.Y.C. in a three row seated area, next to the aisle.

Six hours later, or earlier, she changes on to her third, and final flight towards Los Angeles, at August, 8th now, around nine fifteen in the evening. She got distracted by the stewardess, who just had showed her into the direction of her seat row, who was now approaching her from behind and gently tipping Melanie onto her shoulder.

"Excuse me, Miss!" she told her. "I'm afraid I can't let you sit in here. Please follow me!"

Mel was more than confused by this, she frowns, but takes her backpack out of the luggage rack from above again. And follows as being instructed, the stewardess. Who was now standing by the entrance, where she had come from earlier, and was almost through some thick blue velvet curtain behind ahead of Mel, as well. She hurried to catch up with her, and was being lead into first class this time. As she stood behind the stewardess, who pointed her to a new row with only two empty seats at this point. And looked around herself, confused even. And pulled out her ticket to make sure she really was suppose to sit in the economy class only. But before Mel could say anything, the stewardess interrupted her.

"We are over booked in there." the stewardess told her, and pointed behind her through the blue velvet curtain, where she knows the economy class was to be. She let herself sink into one of the two seats, when the flight attendance was hurrying away again. And chooses the seat beside the little bullseye window, so she would be able to see the City of Angeles already from out of the sky. She was getting excited now. And could feel her palms and fingertips getting slightly sweaty, by this.

 

 

 

 

Chapter 2_Beach...Sand...Dogs run loose by kopfkinokate
p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 120%; }

**

II.

Beach ... Sand ... Dogs run loose

 

Josh was getting sick and tired of sitting around his home, on his b-day by now. He had talked to almost all of his entire family on the house phone, by three thirty in the afternoon. His dog, Max, was lying right now next to his master on the sofa, with him. Head put slightly onto his thigh, and eyes half closed. While JC switched through the channels, with the remote in his left hand, of his flat screen TV, right across on the wall. He patted Max's head behind his ears, absentmindedly, with his right one. And sighed only. He switched the TV just off.

"Looks, like it's your turn now to entertain me, Maxi!" he talked to the dog, lying sleepyhead next to him, while JC still was patting its head and crawling him behind its ears. "Wanna go for a walk now? Max?" Josh had stopped scratching the dog's ears now, and shifted his body slightly away. To be able to get up from the couch and just runs upstairs getting his cell phone and grabs his keys from the little commode and his jeans jacket and Max's leash from the wardrobe.

By the time, Josh took the leash from its hook, next to the front doors. Max came waggling its tail around the corner of the living room. Clearly he already had heard the clinking of the metal chains and tax mark clipped to it. JC put the collar without the leash first around Max's neck, and opened the front door, next. Max was out at once, and already found the perfect spot against one of the side trees by the fences, to pee on also. Josh saw that he left his car in the driveway, last night. And had an idea. He wouldn't drive it back into his garage before leaving with Max. No, he instead would load Max into the car, in the backseats and then drive with through town, to a part on Santa Monica beach, where dogs were allowed. And Max also could run around in the dunes.

 

~*~

Around five thirty, in the afternoon on the eighth of August. Melanie and the other people on her flight landed safely in Los Angeles, she hurried to get her things together and into her backpack, so she could get out of the plane with everyone else. She decided to get to her hotel first, to unload her luggage. And get a little bit freshen up, before she would explore the nearest beach next. Which happens to be the Santa Monica and Venice beach, closest to the hotel Camille was staying in, that was the Wilshire Motel, on Wilshire Blvd. Which had, according to her travel book she did pack also, a pool and reasonable prices per night at the hotel. Before she would have to check out how to get to the address and her interview, by the evening, even.

 

~*~

After Josh and Max took a slight detour around the straight route to Santa Monica State beach, and arrived at about five in the afternoon, at their designated spot where Max could run without a leash. Josh would park the car in a wood surrounded parking lot, next. As he turned the engine off and stepped out himself. He opened the passenger's door behind the driver's one, and Max jumps out next. Running off to sniff around the grass and woods that surrounds the parking lot. While Josh shut the doors to the car, and locked it up. He starts walking towards the dunes, where he knew would be a small passage down to the beach, as well.

 

~*~

As Mel walks along the beach, she actual walks away from all the tourist attractions, further up north. And towards a more quieter part of the beach, or which seemed to be less crowded with people even. After she walked along the shoreline, for quite awhile now. She got a little tired in her feet just, and made her way shortly up the beach, to sit in the sand for a little bit. She was watching the waves of the sea coming in and out of the Pacific Ocean. And couldn't really believe it yet, that she actually was right here, right now!

 

~*~

Joshua would call after Max, when he is running ahead of him too far. And a little while after Max did come running back to its master, with a big log that he'd carry inside his mouth. But as Josh noticed as Max slowly would come closer, dragging the log with him, slightly. The log seemed more like a branch and far too big for his head and mouth though, even. JC tries to break the branch in half, as Max did lay it to his feet. But the branch was slightly too thick, to be broken this easily. So, Joshua looked around himself next, to see if he could find another, smaller stick. While Max was watching his "doggie-daddy" all the while, in great anticipation, since he dropped the log to Josh's feet! JC would run around with his dog, for awhile along the shoreline, next. And when Max did find a smaller stick, to play some "fetch", he would throw the stick sometimes just ahead of them, and watch Max run after it and bring it back even a couple of times, as well. Or JC would just let it drop behind his own back, after pretending to throw the stick first, and let Max figure out where it went to, on its own. Surprisingly, JC couldn't fool his dog good enough with his acting skills though. As the dog almost instantly saw the stick fall behind Josh's back. Max fetched it, and would run far along the shoreline away, next. And when his master was about to catch up with Max, the dog would just shake him off and run up towards the beach, through the sand.

 

Meanwhile, Mel was watching the man playing with his dog by the near of the water. She thought for a second that he might look slightly familiar, but dismisses that one already at once, as being ridiculous. Melanie just watches the man, for a while chasing after his dog's tail when this one would run off with a stick in its mouth, even. A smile stretches over her face, slightly. The two seemed to spend a lot of time with each other, and they looked too cute together, as well. They seem very happy and cheerful!

Suddenly, she saw the dog only once turning its head back, while at the same time running towards her still sitting in the sand. It almost would have run into her, when she wouldn't have slightly moved out of the way. And the dog would not have turned around itself, in the very last second, also. JC saw his dog rise up a lot of sand by swerving out of the way, before running into the young woman who was just sitting there, a few meters away, watching. He saw her brushing off the sand that Max did rise up, and was covering her legs with it then. He walked over to her, and came to a halt a couple feet before her, and could grab his dog by its collar next.

"I'm sorry!" he told her, sincerely. "He didn't hurt you, did he?"

Millie was still brushing over her jeans, to remove a few of the sand grains. And looked slowly up into the man's face before her.

 

OH, MEIN ... !

 

She thought at first, only by staring at the man. She swallowed lightly, and holds her lips tightly together just. It couldn't be, could it? She knew those eyes now, from somewhere. These eyebrows, cheek bones and even that nose. That slightly chubby looking nose, even! The man only watched her slightly embarrassed, and with his shy, crocked smile, even.

He saw the look she gave him, after all. She knew who he was. He sighed, a little heavenly just. Then clicked the hook from the leash in his hand onto Max's collar and closed further in on the distance he left before, reaching out his right hand towards her next. Bending himself down, also a little.

"Hey! I'm JC!" he said, using his two initials just out of habit, he guessed and with an even bigger smile, that also touched his eyes a little. "And I'm really sorry, about him! He usually listens to me when he is running without a leash." Josh's head did jerk in the direction of where Max did lay down, chewing on the stick, happily now. Mel shook his hand, with the same firm one she got to use on everybody new she was introduced to. And responded, with a glance and a soft smile towards the dog.

"It's alright. Really! It's just a little bid of sand.", and she laughs a little at her own response, as well. "I'm Melanie Deißfuss. Or just Mel. But I think, I do know you, now."

Josh was impressed. Not just by her firm and calm handshake, but the look she gives him at this moment also. He lets her hand go, slowly. His eyes, however, never leaving hers. And JC just sits cross-legged before her, then. Making Max lie down beside him, too. He was not quite sure what to think of this woman though, yet. But there was something about her, that wouldn't let him just walk away without knowing her. Hell, he couldn't even bring himself to look away from those eyes of hers! He asked her why she would sit here all alone, and if she was alright even. And learned that she was in L.A. for only the weekend, that she was from Europe, Germany, even. And a freelance journalist, for some German newspaper also. On second listening of her saying, he heard the slight, harsh pronunciation due her over seas accent.

"I'm sorry!" she said suddenly, and she could feel her cheeks turning slightly hot even. "But I just have to wish you a happy birthday now! I mean if I already get that chance to tell you in person, you know?" She saw his lips twitch into his bright teeth-showing smile, then. That makes his corners of his eyes show the few age lines clearly, as well. But his eyes still showed that spark from his earlier days also. Mel saw him pull his chin slightly up, and putting his head in his neck, therefore. A clear chuckle escaping through his throat.

"Ha ha!" he laughed and would cover his face with his hands, only for a second. "That's sweet! Thank you!"

And Melanie also closed her eyes, in embarrassment, after she realized what she just said.

"So? I take it, that you're a fan, then?" JC asked her blunt at once. And Mel felt her face turn hotter this time, too. She swallows a lump down her throat just.

"Oy! You make it sound so bad now!" Melanie replied, turning her face away from his. "I'm not really just your fan, as you put it. Well. I am *NSYNC's fan, in general! I like all five of you. At least when you're together as one!"

JC chuckles another lighthearted giggle, to this. "That's cool!" he just replied.

"Oy!" she said, pulling her hands up, to hide her pink cheeks now. "I wish I didn't just say that! It's awkward and totally embarrassing now! And not even true, as I also enjoy all of you guys's solo project, you've been doing, too."

"You don't have to be embarrassed, at all. You're just honest and sweet as I haven't met anyone in a long time."

JC just reached towards her hands, then. And takes them gently away from her face, just watching her intently. Mel felt her face still feeling hot by this completely, while his piercingly blue and grey eyes are just staring into her dark ones. She let her eyes drop down a bit, to escape his look for a while. And saw that his hands are still enclosed around her own ones, and feels a slight insecureness rise up in her body just. As far as she noticed next, he let her hands go very slowly, then.

"Sorry!" he said only. And Melanie saw him take back the leash in his hand and looking at her face, like being hypnotized by those eyes or something like it, pursing his lips slightly. She looked towards the dog lying next to his master, then. Watching now interested? But couldn't see really why.

"Maxi?" JC said out towards his furry friend just. And raises his head and upper body a little higher, looking around himself. Before looking at the dog again. "You want to leave, boy?" Then just a quick glance towards his I-Phone, he pulled from his pant's pocket, even quicker. "Sorry! I have to go now. Look. Will you do me the honor and go out with me tonight? Maybe?"

Melanie looked confused at him just. Was he really asking to see her again, just? She couldn't believe it, really. And just blinks at him a couple times, in response. Before she saw JC just stand up, with a slight bow, and about to turn to leave her. Feeling crushed, at her none respone, even?

"Sure, I would love to!" she heard herself just say though. "But actually, I already got plans for tonight. I'm afraid."

"Oh. Alright." JC only said, "I understand. Don't worry about it."

He said to her, but did he sound disappointed to her, a little bit. Maybe? But then Lee just saw him smile and walk away. His dog beside him, all the while.

 

 

 

 

Chapter 3_Gallery openings, water Coolers and new friends and a tour of the special kind... by kopfkinokate
p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 120%; }

***

III.

Gallery openings, water Coolers and new friends and a tour of the special kind...


After Josh and Maxi were gone, while Melanie was sitting in the sand and watching the waves of the ocean before her rushing in and out, and the sun slowly sinking at the horizon as well, she turned her left hand wrist slowly around to look at her watch she was wearing on it. And jumped to her feet, at once.

 

He was almost again by his car, when it striked him that he did miss something back at the beach. And just walked back along the beach with Max leading him on its leash. When the dog suddenly started sniffling in the spot she was sitting before ...

 

~*~

Now, that she got all her things ready for the Gallery showing, she would be going to this evening, already. When she noticed that she was missing her cell phone though. Verflucht. She thought only.

"Verdammt!" Melanie said to herself, pacing her motel room this time. "Why didn't I notice that earlier that I hadn't it anymore? Oh, right, I know..."

 

Weil ich von diesen leuchtenden blau-grauen Augen schon, als sie mich nur von meinen Postern her anstarrten, nicht wegsehen konnte! Dreck. Mist. Scheiße!

 

She finished her thought, quietly just ...

 

~*~

At seven twenty-five in the evening, right on time. Mel arrived at the venue for the artist and his exhibition. Half an hour later, she still hasn't met the artist for her interview but was making her own rounds of the place and the exhibition. Taking frivolous notes, about the people, paintings and venue, for her article, even. When she came to stand in front of a picture that shows Marilyn Monroe with a bunch of Loony Tunes characters in the background also. Right next to the picture was standing a water cooler, and Mel, becoming slightly thirsty by the time. She takes a paper cup from its side, to fill it with some water next. When a voice she recognized from earlier that day approaches her ears so sudden that Lee just spilled some of the refreshing water down her bottom lip and chin, in shock. Melanie tries to wipe off the spilled water from her chin and front while turning. And gasp in response.

 

Wow! ... Gleich zweimal innerhalb weniger Stunden während ich hier bin!

 

She thinks only, and blinks at the person, who just said "hey, there!" to her.

"Oh! Hi!", Melanie just responses, and is still wiping with one hand over her front shirt while holding the paper water cup and her notepad with pen in the other. While feeling her cheeks burning slightly hot in embarrassment even. And staring into the miraculously and facinating face of JC Chasez. Again!

"I was hoping that I would run into you again, you know." He said, and reached into his inside pocket of the black blazer, with black tie, he was wearing, now. And hand her her phone right back, in continuing only. "Or that you at least would call your own number, so I could tell you I found it..."

Melanie stopped wiping for a second her shirt and just watched him shocked and confused. Then puts the water cup back down beside the water cooler, to take back her cell phone.

"Oh, man. Thank you! Thank you!" She just said over and over again, clutching her phone to her chest. "Did somebody call while you had it, then?" Mel just asked out of curiosity, when she saw two other beautiful looking men approaching the two of them, from behind JC, next. While he would just shake his head and smile toward her.

"Well, hello bud! You made it! Happy birthday, bud!", the first man, a dark haired one, approaching JC from behind, was saying. Who whirls around and looks confused at who would address him like that.

The two men started hugging each other, in greeting. While the other, a blond one, was eying Mel more suspiciously even. When that one was also hugging JC in greeting, Melanie was the one looking more confused though.

"Excuse me?", Mel asked them. "But you are Lance Bass, aren't you? Ugh, and. What? That makes you ... Micheal Turchin!?" Melanie asked, blinking between Lance and JC a few times, unbelievingly. And refocusing her eyes back on Mr. Turchin again, introducing herself by holding out her own press identity pass hung around her neck, and exhibition tickets, next.

"I'm Melanie Deißfuss! I'm a freelance writer, from Germany. And here to write about your artwork. If you don't mind. I'd like to ask you a few questions, if you would give me a few minutes of your time, by chance? Maybe even both of you?"

"Ooh! Goodie! She's with the press!" Micheal said, slightly annoyed. And putting a hand against his forehead, to cover his eyes in an ashamed way. "Yeah, sure. Why, not."

While Lance patted his shoulder, smiling. "Cool. But I'm afraid you have to do that later. You have to do finish your round, Mike. But I'm sure JC, here, will keep you company while we take another round, right bro? By the way, you do know that Ashley is here, too. Don't you, bro?"

Millie saw the slightly raised eyebrow in JC's face though. And was ready to tell him that he doesn't have to look after her like she was a kindergarten child, or anything. But he just looked back into her eyes this moment again and smiled a little knowingly at her.

"Really?" JC just asked Lance back though, shrugging his shoulders. "I guess, I should have known that she'd remembered the date better, than I even."

As Melanie spends the rest of the exhibiton's evening until the interview; with Josh, as he made her calling him. She had a good time, and not just because she was with JC Chasez. But she was in freaking Los Angeles! And in a real exhibition of Micheal Turchin, the artist and husband of Lance Bass, from *NSYNC! Goddammit! Although, she was becoming a little tired because of her flight before. But enjoyed talking to Josh and Lance about god and the world, too. While walking through the Gallery with JC and Lance, a few times. While Micheal was talking to investores, potential buyers of his paintings... She even had a kind of run in with the young woman, called Ashley. Well, JC did have in fact. While Melanie stood a few feet away, with Lance at the time. But could eavesdrop into a little bit of the conversation the two of them exchanged, even. Melanie saw the girl hugging Josh around his neck, and speak past his ear, first.

"Hey, JC!"

She couldn't hear JC's respond, but could tell from his body language that he felt weirdly and trully awkward about her hugging him, like this.

"I knew, I would see you here." Ashley just told, and Mel could just see her bating her eyelashes at him, too. When she was in fact touching his arm slightly and asked JC, if he would be maybe give them a chance of talking about it again. Joshua had just raised his right hand up to his neck, to rub it. His typical gesture of embarrassment, as Mel managed to recall, from it. Before Melanie can hear Ashley saying a word though, Lance's face was blocking her view out of a sudden now.

"You should take a picture, there now!" Lance just said, flashing a hand before Melanie's eyes, this moment. Mel blinks a few times, refocusing her eyes on Lance and felt the hot flash of blush rise into her cheeks.

"Huh?" she just said. "Sorry! I ... do you know that woman, Lance?"

She saw Lance turn his head towards JC, who was still talking to Melanie, next.

"Haha." Lance chuckled low, turning back towards Mel. "I can't tell you, Melanie. You're press. But only for you, off-the record: JC is a hundred percent single these days!"

Mel only keeps looking at him, slightly confused and felt the hotness of her blood flash through her cheeks again.

"I did know that, already. But thanks." Mel just said, looking down her own feet, before talking to him again. "Why can't you tell me, because I'm press, about the girl, there? I don't see why this should even be relevant to my article about Micheal... But, off-the-record, then?"

"It's not my place to tell." Lance only replied. ...


As annoyed about the whole interview-thing Micheal seemed to be at first, he answered Lee's questions, after his speech and another round; they would find a quieter corner of the gallery about half an hour later. He was patient with her translating those notes of hers in proper English and some note scribbling to his answers as well. Lee had quite a few questions ...


~*~

Now, Mel felt the light of daylight creeping through the curtains of her hotel room window, and awakes, slowly, with a light headache. She was glad though that she didn't drink that much last night, then. As of what she thought would have might happen as if she would have. She wouldn't want to have sex with JC Chasez, just for the sheer intimacy of having sex, at all. It wasn't her nature. And it wasn't going to be hers in near future either. WHAT THE HELL? Why would anybody, in their right mind, say NO to having sex with that god-like man, like JC Chasez? You might think, maybe. But as unsure as she may feel herself about her feelings of mister-sex-on-two-legs towards her just. Melanie was herself more sure about her own feelings for his four-legged and furry friend; she definitely missed that dog of his already, very much by this minute. Max had definitely left a whole in her heart, while spending just a few minutes with him yesterday, at the beach. As Mel turned to look at the time inside her cell phone, lying on the nightstand beside her. It was nine fifteen, in the morning. And she felt a slight sting in her heart, when thinking that she was traveling home in a few more hours already again. And would never see his fury, cuddly face anymore. Plus, she still had to reread and rewrite a few of her notes for her article, from last night. And the things she definitely wants to visit, while being in Los Angeles! She made a list right there next. Of all the sightseeing stuff in Los Angeles, she always wanted to see when giving the chance, only:

 

1. Hollywood Boulevard, with it's famous

2. Walk of Fame of course, the

3. Chinese; or formerly Kodak - (now) Dolby Theatre, as well as

4. The Ocean Front Walk in Venice, and if she still got time left

5. The Hollywood Sign are definitely in her Top Five to see, also!

 

She also had the Sunset Strip Boulevard at it as well. But as she already got to spend yesterday evening on its greater beach, she figured it was safe to cross that off the list now!

After Mel had a refreshing shower, and all her stuff packed into her luggage suitcase and backpack again. She went to grab herself some breakfast in the Mensa, as long as she still could get some too. And would get her backpack afterwards to take only this one on her trip and keep her suitcase safe.

 

~*~

...

And we both know enough-?, but we can't learn to say-?
So I'll tell you what you need
...

I want to-? keep you warm like a sweater
Take my hand, ...


Josh was still sitting in his home studio, with one of his guitars, composing and writing this new tune down, he just started when coming home again, last night. He didn't really felt like going to bed, after his driver had dropped Melanie off at her hotel. But instead had felt strongly inspired, and went to shut himself - for the rest of the night - until the early morning dawn, into the studio. So far, he felt he had completed the melody, by now. And was almost satisfied with parts of the chorus, as well. He hadn't felt that inspired, in a really long time. And had a slight feeling that it was because he met her, Mel as she made him call her last night over and over again. And he hoped it was so! He looked past his left hand on the guitar, to where Maxi lies beside him, with its eyes half closed and head on its front paws, relaxed.

"How do you like it so far, ma boy?" JC asked his dog, with a sly smile and raised eyebrows toward Max. Who looked just as disinterested as before though. Josh just laughed a short chuckle, and starts to replay the melody of his latest composing softly anew. And saw Max raise his head, as though he did hear somebody upstairs. But stays where he is, and just starts with the whimper he also did yesterday. When Mel's spot on the beach was empty, beside of her phone though. Josh saw Max stood up next, and running up the stairs. Josh also stopped playing and sighed. Then followed his four-legged friend up also.

When Josh reached the ground floor, he saw Max scratching slightly at the front doors, and whimpers, like he's in pain. Something Josh never did see him do like this before.

"Hey! Maxi!" he called out to the dog, and walked over to him. Standing beside him, and stroked him over his back just. "She's not coming!" Max is still whimpering, looking straight at the doors still. Josh releases a small sigh. "Boy, do you have it bad for this girl, Maxi!" He said only. And shakes his head at his dog just.

 

~*~

After Melanie had finished her breakfast, she went to go get her backpack from her room. And figure out where to start her little sightseeing first, then. Luckily, Melanie had her room until Monday midmorning. So it would be easier to have somewhere to stay after her sightseeing and the night also, until her flight in the morning would take off, then.

 

~*~

Josh had just changed himself into a fresh t-shirt, after some freshen up. He took his wallet, keys and told Maxi to stay and wait. Then, he walked through the garage door, but when he opened it, Max slipped through his master's legs. And waits by the passenger's car door. Josh shakes his head just again. Then, walked towards the car, and let Max in the backseat, before getting into the driver's seat himself. And drove off, next. He felt Max breathing behind his neck, while driving through the streets of Midtown Los Angeles, the whole time. He reached with one hand behind his headrest, and tried to stroke his head. But only could reach his cold nose, and felt Max's tongue starting to lick around his fingers, next.

"Ugh! Maxi!" Josh said, pulling his hand away and rubbing the dog's slobber off at his right thigh. "Be a good boy!"

 

~*~

As Melanie walked slowly, with her map of L.A. and a book in which she writes notes, in her hands, down to the streets. On the search for the right direction towards the Hollywood Boulevard, and its Walk of Fame, first. As she walks down the streets, she was keeping her eyes more and more on her map and not the street signs though. And didn't quite realize the blue Cadillac pulling up beside her, just.

"Hey, sunshine!" somebody called close to her just. And Melanie jumps slightly, looking around herself frowning first, but keeps on walking.

"Melly! Stop! Wait!" she heard the command with her nick name just, and froze right on the spot then. As she turns her head she saw a passenger's car window rolled down just, and a dog's head sticking his through and barking at her.

"Max?" she asked slowly, not understanding at first. "What's going on? J...?"

A bark comes from the dog in the backseat suddenly, again.

"Ssh! Max! Stay calm boy! Hey there, Melly!" JC said, bending himself towards the passenger's window, looking at her straight. "Need a ride somewhere?"

"What. Are. You. Doing. Here. Josh?" Melanie said even slower now that she stood right next to the car, peeking into the window also.

"Well. Max here didn't really give me much of a choice, you know!" Josh explained. "C'mon get in. I give you the grand tour of greater L.A., then!"

Mel looks around herself, unsure for a moment there what to do. Then she heard another bark coming straight toward her, and turns her eyes back at Max. Who still sticks his head beside the headrest of the passenger's seat through the open window, even. While his master tries and holds his dog inside by his collar.

"Please! Get in the car, Mel!" JC just begged her. "I think, Max wants you to do, as well!"

A sigh escapes her only. "Oy! Okay!" she surrenders, takes her backpack off her back and opens the passenger's door and gets inside the car, and puts her map and book into the front pocket of the backpack. As she closes the door, she felt the dog breathing and sniffing down her neck, next. Mel turns in the seat around, to pat its head in greeting. While Max starts trying to lick her face, this minute.

"Ha ha! Ugh! Maxi!" laughs Melanie lightly, and turns her head away, in slight disgust. "Dogie-breath! Ew!"

"He missed you!" JC just told her, and patted his fury friend on its head himself just. "You realize, that I had a heartbroken dog sitting whimpering around my place this last night, do you?"

"I missed you too, Max!" said Mel, now fully turning towards the dog and cuddles him and puts a kiss on top of the dog's head. Josh saw his dog snubs its nose toward Melanie's chest, a little roughly.

"Oh! Max! Enough! Now! Boy!" he said, shuffling the dog back into the backseat, gently though. Melanie looked at Max, then toward JC next to her. Something was not right with him though. Why would he want to drive through this town aimlessly, just to find her that his dog could be with her one last time, even?

"What's the matter?" JC asked her, as he saw her watching him, too. She frowns slightly at him, just. Then, shakes her head merely noticeable.

"Nevermind!" she said, turned around in her seat, to face the front window, next. "So? You really wanna give me the great tour of L.A., then?"

JC just smiles, softly towards her. "Sure. What do you wanna see, first? Or shall I just run by the typical tourist traps?"

"Hm." Melanie said, looking down at her backpack on her lap just. And take out her map from inside, next. "I kinda was heading towards the Hollywood Boulevard just. And the Walk of Fame, you know!"

"Oh! Alright, then!" JC said, looking towards her. "You know, that the Walk of Fame is in the opposite direction, do you? Ha ha. You wanna buckle up now, then?"

"OH! Really?" she said, looking at her map, in confusion. "Verdammt. Ich dachte - sorry! I must have missed a sign while walking with the map, then!"

After Josh starts the engine of the car, and drives off after checking for traffic behind his back. He makes a left U-turn at the next crossroad and drove towards Hollywood Boulevard, next. Josh glanced over toward the young woman next to him, shortly. While Max still was leaning its head against her headrest the whole time. Josh shakes his head at his dog's behavior only.

"What's wrong, JC?" he heard Mel asking, and glanced at her before turning back to the road ahead again.

"Nothing." he said. "Well. Besides, that my dog is totally ignoring me since you got in here. It's a strange thing for him, you know." Josh saw her smile a little, out of the corners of his eyes then. But didn't say anything to her. Neither did she. But he did see her opening that book and scribble down a few notes, while he feels he was humming softly to himself...


A few meters further, JC made a right turn, out of a sudden. And parked on a parking lot between to buildings just. Mel frowns just. She looked to the main street, and saw it crowded with people, walking it up and down, shopping and minding their own business, even.

"What now?" asked Melanie only. When Josh just reached past her, to open the compartment box in front of her. He grabbed a black cap out of it, only.

"What's that for?" she asked him again. And saw him put a pair of dark sunglasses from inside the cap, then putting the baseball cap on top of his head itself.

"Just a little disguise technique for now." JC explained, unbuckling his seatbelt. "You still want to walk down that Walk of Fame though, don't you?"

After they got out of the car, Max starts to pull his master by the leash towards the nearest tree or bush, to pee. And Melanie stood waiting by the side of the car, putting her back pack on again. As Max was finished peeing, Melanie saw the dog coming straight toward her. Walking around her, pulling the leash tightly around her legs, therefore, as well. And Josh has to help her untangle her, without risking of Max running in the other direction at once.

"Max! No! STAY!" Josh said. While taking his arm around Mel's back, and take the leash around, in untangling the mess Max just made.

"Er scheint mich wirklich zu mögen!" Mel said, and saw the surprised look on JC's face, even through the sunglasses he wears now. "Oops! Sorry, nevermind!"

"Give me your backpack!" he said as she was halfway past the back of the car now. Melanie looked back at him, confused and questioning only.

"Why?" she asked him just back. He walked towards her, without saying anything, and just took her backpack off her one shoulder and arm. He smiled at her, and opened the trunk to the car just, to put it in there. Before Josh could shut the trunk door though.

"Wait." Mel called out to him and walks up to JC. "Can I at least have my camera, from it?"

While they walk along the Hollywood Boulevard; Max is leading JC at his leash while Melanie looks down at all the stars on the pavement, searching. Josh and Max walking a few feet ahead of her and don't really notice that Melly wasn't following them anymore. But after a while Josh starts to wonder where she was. And as he turned around, he saw her crouching onto the pavement looking at it, as though she just may found something.

"Found something, interesting?" she heard JC say above her head, while Max was sniffing at a tree by the side of the street. Melanie looked up into his still sunglasses covered face, smiling like a child that got his Christmas present a day earlier.

"Just my favorite. Or one of them at least, and the Star of Quentin Tarantino! Take a picture of it, with me in it? Please!" she asked him, handing him her digital camera. He smiled just, and took her camera. Wrapping the leash a little tighter around his left wrist, and take a few cute and also rated pictures of her with the Star. Then another one with his dog, when Max would feel bored just sniffing at around JC's feet and wanted to walked up to Melanie then stood with its paws up against her thighs and just sniffed her up and down, in a lovely and affectioned way.

 

~*~

An hour later, they were back by the car again. After they also walked by the Dolby Theatre and took their pictures in front. Josh let Max into the backseat, while Melanie was walking around the car towards the passenger's door herself. And saw him shut the door when Max was safe and sound in the backseat, then. He gestured her to go ahead and open the passenger's door, while he stood by driver's one, himself. Waiting, for Mel to get in on the other side.

As JC started the car, he'd look at her questioning before driving off the parking lot for real. While she started writing into that book of hers, again.

"Where you'd like to go now, then?" Josh asked just. She looked toward him, first, then towards Max in the backseat and just burried her nose back in her book.

"Maxi seems a bit tired, doesn't he?" she just asked him back, still scribbling down a few words.

"So, then you don't mind when we swing by my place first, and drop him off, then? What are you writing there all the time, even?" Josh said, leaning his head slightly to one side, watching her and Max after one another.

 

 

 

 

Chapter 4_A House with a Surprise within by kopfkinokate
p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 120%; }

****

IV.

A House with a Surprise within


As Josh drives, humming still softly to himself, up the hills, and reached the front gates to his property, about twenty minutes later. He pulled up the emergency break, but let the engine running. While he gets out of the car, to punch in the security code into the padlock next to the left stone pillar of the gates. Then gets back in the driver's seat, as he watched the gates swung open. Josh drove up the bended road up the hills, to his house, next. While waiting for a reaction from Melanie, sitting next to him, playing absentmindedly with her thumbs only. When he stopped behind a car, that he knew could only belong to his parents, he looked at the girl next to him. And saw her frown out the front window just, then.

"Everything alright, with you? You're not writing anymore?" he just asked her, genuinely interested.

Melanie looked slowly at JC, holding her lips closed tightly, but nodding her head in response.

"Yeah." she said softly, with a slight laughing sound. "Er... No! I think I got all my after-thoughts from last night in here now. Why? You thought I'd write about you, then?"

"Haha. Okay. Maybe, a little. Wanna come inside, then?" JC asked, already opening the door by his side. Melanie just looked confused after him, as he let Max out of the back now. Which just was running loose, around the house, then.

"Come on. This will take awhile, as I have to feet and water Max, and see the people who the car belongs to are just fine, also." Josh said, before closing the back door next.

She can not fathom to believe the day she had so far with JC and his dog, Max, and on top of it he wants her to see his home as well? She just sits in the car, still thinking when she will wake up from her dream. And lying back at home in her own bed again, even. Then, the passenger's door is being opened from the outside this minute. With Josh bending slightly down to look at her.

"Come!" he only said, and holds one hand, palm out toward her, to take it just. Melanie just looked at his hand, unbelievingly though. But Josh grabbed hers at the moment, and pulled her out of the seat. And pushed her gently around the hub of the car and toward the front doors then. She frowns slightly back at the man, leading her by her shoulder toward.

"I don't mind waiting in the car, you know!" Mel said, trying to push against his leading hands, and get away from them.

"Stop it, will you!" Josh said, opening the front doors, and leading her inside. While Melanie walked through the great double doors, she felt JC following her close by. And tries to be not too noisy about being in here. Hell! She was in the house of freaking JC Chasez! How the heck, was she not just dreaming this up, at all?

As Mel stood just in the middle of the foyer, with two openings to each side of her. One entrance looked like its leading into a nice and cozy living room, while the other one is looking like a high modern built-in kitchen, next. And a door ahead, was indicating it would lead into the basement maybe. But had a little light box attached to the top of its door frame.

"Mom? Dad?" she heard JC asking, while passing by her, through the right entrance, into the kitchen just. Melanie saw JC pick up a bowl from the floor, around the corner and fill it with water from the faucet, next. When Mel felt someone standing near her back this moment, and felt the chills running down her spine because of it.

"Hey, Dad!" she saw JC standing before her again, but speaking to somebody right behind her. "Since when are you both in town, then?" And he walks right up to the man, his dad behind the girl that stood like a wood still in his entrance hall just. While Josh hugged his father in greeting next.

"Happy Birthday, again, son! A couple of hours, maybe. Why?" the man said, and when Melanie turned around to look she saw Josh gesturing toward her just.

"Dad! Melanie! Melly, this is Roy Chasez!" JC introduces the two now. "Mum's outside, then again, isn't she?"

Roy nodded in reply, to his son's question just, and shakes the girl's hand next.

"And you are now?" Mr. Chasez senior asked the young woman, who just looked from him to JC, unsure about this and what to tell JC's dad exactly of who she was, then. JC noticed her shy glance toward him, and replies toward his dad instead.

"She's a freelance journalist from Germany! And here on behave of an interview with some artist, or something from her paper at home. And she also did stole Maxi's heart at the beach, yesterday!"

As Mel hears him mention the reason why he invited her at all, she was in shock for the moment.

 

Verdammt!

 

She thought. She totally felt ashamed about her being a journalist, he just introduced her as. That she just remembers she still has a lot of writing to do for, and began searching for her backpack actually. Before she remembered that it was still in JC's trunk of the car.

"JC? I need my backpack back. Please!" she told him, in earnest and holding her lips very tight together, as well. He just looked at her confused, and inspecting her clearly.

"Why? You're not thinking of leaving, are you?" he asked just back. Mel just frowns back slightly.

"I don't know. But even if I'd want to, I wouldn't really know which way to go back from here, would I?!" she said, but looked still determined at JC, to get her backpack back, too. Now! Josh just throws his hands up over his head, and sighs.

"Fine!" he said. "I'll get it. But when I come back I want to hear the real reason why you do wanna leave, out of sudden, understand?" And Josh throws open the front door, that it rattles slightly in its hinges. And marches off towards the parked Cadillac in the driveway. While Roy and Melanie stood side by side in the foyer, avoiding each others looks, too. Or so Mel does avoid his! Until she hears Roy clear his throat in a coughing matter slightly,

"Come sit!" And his hand is back on one of her shoulder to guide her into the living room.

"So, you're a journalist, then?" she heard Mr. Chasez asking, as he sat in one corner of a couch. And gestured her with his right hand, that the seat to his right is for her now. Melanie only made a slight grimace at his remark about her being a writer. But takes the seat, he pointed out to her, a little down to the other corner of the couch, next to him.

"What's with the face?" JC's Dad asked, genuine interested in her now.

"Nothing!" Mel told, and feels her teeth actually holding onto her lower lip, from the inside just. "Well, I wouldn't say I am a real journalist. I mean I love the writing that comes with it, and I've got to write a few things online only so far. But I'd never introduce myself as a writer. Or journalist. I'm more a student who tries to get through her educational degree..." She let her sentence trail away, in the end slightly when Mel heard a door click shut, in the next moment. And then JC calling out towards her,

"Melly? Your backpack is by the door! I'll be right back!" And a small moaning was to be heard from the foyer towards the living room, and couch where Mel and Roy were sitting still. Roy turned his head slightly towards the foyer, to see where his son went to. And just saw Josh waving a hand at him while turning his back and walk into the kitchen and dinning room. Mel was in the meanwhile up from the couch, and walking around it again. She gathered her backpack by the side of the living room door frame, as JC had told her it would be there. And kneels over it, and begins rummaging in it then. In search for her laptop and notebook with information of the production film company she received by her editor, back in Germany. And which contains her already taken notes from last night about the event, too. When she felt somebody standing right behind her, suddenly. She stands and whirls around, to face the person who had just startled her, too.

"Scheiße! Verdammt, JC!" she calls out, with a hand at her chest, near her heart. And the other one outstretched towards his chest, in an attempt to push him slightly away from her just.

"What?" he said, looking just totally baffled at her. And raising his eyebrows up high, in wonder as well. "Are you swearing to me in German, now?"

Mel glared slightly towards him, only. Thinking what she was doing here, for one.

 

Was zum Teufel mache ich hier eigentlich? In freaking JC Chasez's Haus?

 

She felt her lips holding tightly together by her teeth, then. And looked down at the notes in her hands, she did find in her backpack before JC was interrupting her so rudely just. She skimmed them over quickly. Until she could fathom what it said even, clearly. And tried to think how much time to write her article it actually would take her, when she kept hanging around JC's place, even.

"What time is it anyway now?" she just asked him slowly, not looking up from the note once. And felt the hands of Joshua gently touching her shoulders and guiding her back into the living room.

"It's only two thirty, why?" Joshua said, with a frowning look on his face. "You have some place better to go, then?"

"Oy! You're such a tease, JC!" Melanie said back only. "But I am here on behave of my job! This is just a bonus for my trip here!" she said, sticking him her tongue out and gesturing at the word this to her surroundings and him.

"You're some fan, then?" she heard his father saying, and saw his astonished looked on his face just. She shrugs her shoulders and sits on the armchair of a chair right next to her, next. While JC starts walking, pacing through the room, in front of the entertainment center just. He can't deny that she got under his skin so quickly already. She had some spunk that one!

"When is your interview due then?" Joshua asked her. And watched her closely, while Melanie sat on the armchair looking at her own hands in her lap.

"It will be on Tuesday, my time. But I still got to write the interview, I took with Micheal last evening, into the article. Which is an awful lot of writing I still have to do... I just don't quite know yet, how long I'm going to have to work on that, even!", she told, and glanced shortly at him, next. It was in this second when someone took the notebook from her hands. And Melanie looked into Mr. Chasez senior's face next. She saw him looking at the notes, thinking.

"Mel? I might not know anything about that job you do. But I'm sure Josh would let you set up your laptop and let you work on that article, for a while in his study, don't you Josh?" Roy said, looking at his son. As he comes around the coffee table, looking at his Dad, frowning slightly, himself.

"Hm." he said, slowly. "Sure. Why not."

"Joshua Scott Chasez!" he heard his mother's voice from behind him, just in time to cut him off. "Since when don't you come out and greet your Mum yourself, boy?"

She snickered slightly at the woman telling on JC, who turned to look at his Mum, walking through the patio doors, with Max on her heels, too. Which just walked straight past his master, and toward Mel. She pats the dog's head and ears, gently. As he pushed his nose gently against her thigh, then. JC just raised an arm up and puts his right hand into his neck, to rub it embarrassed and caught of guard, as far as Mel could tell from this gesture.

"Hi, Mum! Sorry! I thought you heard me earlier..." JC just said, and walked towards her to give her a proper huge greeting hug. And the woman also would say, Happy Birthday, next to Josh's ear. After Josh had introduced Mel with his mother, she was watching his profile while he was still greeting his mother. Until JC said suddenly, that he knows exactly where she could plug in her computer and work on her article, then.





Chapter 5_Unfinished articles and ... or flying laptops to prevent then? by kopfkinokate
p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 120%; }

*****

V.

Unfinished articles and ... or flying laptops to prevent then?

 

While Mel sat in the study, that JC had showed her, to get her laptop all set up and to start writing on her article. And even though Josh and his parents had let her work on it in peace, for the last ninty, or ninty-five minutes. Melanie had trouble concentrating all by herself, or finding the right angle about what to write at all.

"Argh!" She made the sound of frustration, just. And pressed the delete button, to erase her last paragraph. "Ugh! No! No! No!" she said toward her laptop screen, as she starts to rewrite her sentence. But deletes it anyhow again. Mel takes a pencil that was lying on the table next to her laptop just, and takes her notepad into her hands, and just rereads her notes and tries to over think some of them, at this point. When a slight knock on the door was interrupting Melanie, next. She frowns, and calls just one word to the person outside, "Yes?"

And breaks the writing point of the pencil, when setting it down onto her paper too hard. Ugh! She makes the noise, in frustration again. And throws the pencil across the desk, and through the room right when JC appeared in the doorway, next.

"Oh! Sorry!" he said, and slightly ducked his head away from the flying pencil. "Bad timing then? I could come back later, you know! Preferable, when no pencils are taking their flying lessons."

Mel looks up from her notebook just, straight at Joshua standing unsure by the door, watching her at his working desk.

"No! It's... it's fine now." She answered his question, monotonously and putting the notepad next to her laptop with the open word document and almost empty page sitting in front of her just. "I can't do this anyway!"

"What can't you do?" JC asked her by walking closer towards the desk. "Caught yourself some writer's block there, I assume?"

Mel just glared at him, in response. And saw him holding up his hands in defense, and apologizing next.

"Sorry!", he said only, walking slowly closer toward his desk. "Care to take a break, then? Mum made some sandwiches... and ice tea... if you're hungry or thirsty...."

He lets his sentence trail away. And just tries to glance around her laptop, to look at what she has written so far. But she just shuts down the lid of the device, to prevent him from snooping, and sighs heavenly.

"Might as well. I can't concentrate anyhow!" Mel told him, and stands from the chair, his high leather chair, next. Then walked around the desk, not without plugging out the laptop and grabbing it and her notepad under her arm though.

 

While the four were sitting around the table in JC's kitchen, eating the lovely sandwiches and drinking the chilled ice tea, that Karen had prepared. Mel, who slowly chewed down her last bite of her tomatoe-cheese-basil sandwich, she takes a sip from her tea to swallow the bite properly down and just asked JC:

"Can I ask you, JC; maybe some questions, now? On the record!?"

She saw him watching her with his infamous half-smile of his. While taking just another bite of his sandwich and choked slightly on it, when a chuckle is forcing itself up his throat. He clears his throat, with some couching. As Mel saw Mr and Mrs Chasez watching her curious themselves, there now.

"I was wondering, when you would ask me that." JC just replies, still with a smile on his lips. Even it was just a small smile. It was the kind of smile that also clearly reflects in his bluish-grey eyes, with just a little spark. As Melanie noticed when she was watching towards him, as he speaks, again.

"I thought, your focus on this article was more on the artist, then!?"

"I thought so also." Mel replied, taking another small bite of her sandwich. "Then Lance came along and ... well, you! Seriously? Two out of five!?!! Please, do me the honor! Please!??"

"Haha."

Roy was sipping on his glas of tea, this time. Determined to leave this choice of doing an interview to his eldest son, himself then. While Karen still watches Mel and Josh, curiously. Having now completely forgotten about her sandwich and her tea, even. When Melanie only saw JC looking at her, with a face and look, that would just tell that there were no news about him, or that he was willing to offer to any reporter, these days. But also, a curious one that Mel just made a note inside her mind to at least, one way (or paragraph) to writing this into her piece, whether or not he would give her something else on-the-record, then.

"What did you thought about to ask me then?" the man with the piercing bluish eyes, sitting across from her, was asking her only. Melanie looked past his face and found Roy's equally bluish piercing eyes instead, but looked right back towards JC. Before clearing her throat, asking.

"On the record, then?"

His look changes from curious to sceptic, just a little. But enough for Melanie to make another note in her head. She'd hold his look and bait her eyelashes, just like Ashley had done to him yesterday; while showing him also a flirtatous, toothpaste-commercial, teeth-showing smile of hers.

"Nah!" he just said, shaking his head at her also. "Ask your question and I tell you if my answer will be on-the-record, or forget about it at all!"

"Seriously?" Mel asked, stunned. Looking at JC, then his Dad and his mother, sitting next to her, to her right. "Even Lance did answering the few questions, I could make up for him, freely."

"I'm not Lance."

Melanie takes in a small in-take of breath and sighs.

"Fine." she says, after a few seconds. "It's not that I haven't enough on-the-record, already. But it's truely not fair. Okay." She takes out her cell phone a little difficult, from her pocket. "Do mind if I use this as to tape your answer, then? If you'd choose it's going to be on-record!"

She saw JC shake his head shortly, and merely. Then looked around the table, as in gathering her own thoughts at first. But in truth, she was waiting for the slight nods by Karen and Roy Chasez, for their approval, as well. Melanie set the mobile recording device in between her and JC, on record, to record her own question, first.

"As you may or may not know, your german fans especially, still want to know this! ..." Mel takes a small break, where she just watches him and his body language for further desciptions anyhow. "Do you think, that you will ever do the finishing touch ... or release of your second solo-album, then?" Her index-finger darts towards her cell phone, slowly. As in waiting for him to make even the slightest form of comment, as in a grunt or chuckle or anything, that she could have on record and help her to transcribe his answer better. Nothing. She sets the device on "pause" and waits for JC's decision and answer, next. After a few seconds pass by, she saw him exchange a meaningful look with his Mum. Before he just sighs, silently.

"On the record!" he replied, only in adding in his answer. So, that Mel could press down the touch pad on her mobile, and push the big, red "On" -button, again.

"Maybe."

"Do you, care to elaborate on this, a little bit? JC?" Melanie asked, saying his official nickname loud and clear, so the device would record it in the same. They, JC's parents and Melanie just wait. When JC was only shaking his head a no, in response. It's Melanie's turn to sigh a little. Then saying towards the recording cell phone, between them,

"You just shook your head, can I ask you, why you don't want to say any more to this?"

"No." was his fast and short reply, on this only. When he just took his father's plate and puts it on top of his own, and reaching across the table, for his Mum to give him hers and Mel's also.

"Sorry!" Roy suddenly said towards Melanie, and clear for her device to record him also. "Wrong question and subject, there. I think, the interview is now over." And a slight laugh follows, before Melanie, who just handed JC her plate; also pushes her touchscreen and turns the recording "Off" and lets out another sigh.

"Was that a on-the-record-quote still, Roy?" she asked JC's Dad, with a sad look at him. She saw him looking past her head, first, and follows his glance. Only to see that he exchanged a look, with his son, who was just about to put the stack of plates in his hands into the sink, this moment.

"If you need it to be." Roy just said, next. "I'd rather not be the one saying..."
Mel just smiled and said towards the elder man. "Ananymous, then. Alright." And Mel just saw him wink at her, in response to her offering.

 

~*~

About half an hour later, Josh and Mel wanted to drove around the Hollywood Hills and towards the Hollywood Sign, next. Because she mentioned she really want to stand in front of the sign, and have her picture taken with it in the back, too. Not without to load Maxi and his parents into his silver grey SUV, also.

While the four were driving through the Hollywood Hills, along the Mulholland Drive on the way to the Hollywood Sign, JC drove with his Mum in the passenger's seat, and Roy and Mel in the backseat together with Maxi, who wouldn't jump into the trunk before driving off, even.

Twenty minutes later, JC pulled the SUV, they all were in, onto some parking lot, in the middle of nowhere.

Mel just frowns, asking shyly, "What're we doing here?"

"Is that an off the record question? ... We're gonna walk a little uphill, to get you your picture with that Sign in the background. Why?", Josh only responded, opening his door already. As they start walking up the hill, Maxi was tracking his master all the way ahead of his parents and Melanie. And while she was still wearing her former evening shoes. A pair of sandals open toe shoe, with a little one point three inch high heel, too. Which made her think how stupid she was to wear those heels for her sightseeing trip even, because they made her feet slightly hurt on the concrete ground, she was walking on now. A few meters of walking though, Mel stopped and took off her shoes, next.

"Are you alright, there?", Karen stops also, and looks at her slightly concerned even. Melanie just kicked her shoes off her feet, picked them up into her hands and just nods her head in an answer, "All's good. Now at least!"

And they started walking after Josh with Max and Roy, again. Some ten to fifteen minutes later, Karen noticed that Melanie trudged kind of awkwardly on the grainy sand ground, around a couple pointy rocks.

"Are you really okay, there, Melanie?", Karen asked, trying to look at her face directly though. Mel bites down her lower lip, while dodging another pointy rock ahead of her path just.

"I'm good. Thanks.", she answered, shortly. "It's like a foot massage To-Go!"

When Josh turned around, looking where the two of them were. "Something wrong, back there?"

Some few feet later, and Mel and Karen did close in on the two men, and the dog. And Mel just takes the leash out of Josh's hand, and starts running the hill upwards. Dragging Maxi at first slightly with her. Until the dog speeds up and suddenly is dragging her along though. ... As Mel did round another bend with Maxi, she could see already the first, or better the last two letters, of the word Hollywood, a little further up the hills. And could feel her own mouth forming a perfect little "wow", while staring at it. Mel felt the loop she made with the leash around her wrist slightly tuck at her arm. And looked back at JC's dog, and what he would want from her, then. He was trying to get to some of the bushes by the side of the road. She takes the couple of steps to her right, and lets Maxi drag her to his designated spot right there. When she heard footsteps behind her, and saw Maxi excitedly wagging its tail next, too. Melanie turned herself around, to see the new arrived people coming uphill for herself. Josh saw Melanie's gloating smile in his direction, as he walked closer.

"You're giving me back my dog, freely?", he asked, reaching slowly for the leash around her wrist. And saw her just roll her eyes at him, in answer. And Mel untangled the loop from her wrist, and handed it in his own. Before taking out her camera from her jacket pocket, next. Then she runs towards the next bend of the road, to get to see the whole sign and take her first picture of it. They spent almost a whole hour up there, while taking turns in snapping pictures or standing in front of the sign, or with their backs towards the view. At one point, it were only Mel and Josh to stand before the letter "w", while Karen walks a few feet along with Maxi. And Roy is about to take the picture of just the two of them... When Mel has an idea!

 

~*~

oh, nana ... ooh ...

First thing: oh, nana ... ooh ...
Next stop: we pull it all together

...

oh, nana ... ooh ...


As Josh, still humming to himself, parked the SUV in front of Melly's motel, she cuddled Maxi goodbye and scratched his ear behind his head. Before saying her goodbyes to Roy and Karen. And stepped out, to follow Josh toward his trunk to get her things out, as well. Then she said goodbye to him, in an even longer hug.

"Are you sure, that you want to stay here, then?" JC just asked her, knowing what her answer might be already and a little selfish on his own behalf, as Mel released him from her hug. "You know I have more than enough space... and I could drive you to LAX in the morning, too."

Mel only smiles towards him, stretching herself to kiss his cheek, in replying. "Thank you, but no thanks. I'm good, Josh. I already have arranged transportation from here to the airport. However, thank you very much, for the lovely day! And for last night. It was a perfect first trip."

Melanie grabbed her backpack, shook his hand in goodbye (where he put a piece of paper inside of hers.) and walked away, to get to her room door, with the digits 1 and 7 nailed on. While Melanie walks towards the motel room, she walks with her look straight ahead. As much as she wanted to take another glance behind herself. She had a feeling, that he was watching her right now, too. So, she walked through the door into her rented room ... and only takes a slight look from behind the curtain, through the window, next to the now closed door.

When she did watch the car drive away, Melanie felt the tears rise to her eyes. She stepped away and sat on the bed, putting her face into her hands. After putting down the piece of paper onto the bed beside her...

 




End Notes:
You made it this far!?.... and enjoyed it too? For better, or worse? Tell me! Give me some feedback at this point before I'll upload any more chapters. Please!!
This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2899