ORD MCO HTO by KrisB
Summary:

4th story in series

 


Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: JC Chasez
Awards: None
Genres: Romance
Challenges: None
Series: Love Without Borders
Chapters: 5 Completed: No Word count: 7019 Read: 1239 Published: Jul 16, 2019 Updated: Oct 04, 2019
Story Notes:

JC and Kennelly fight their way back to each other. Can they make it work?

 

1. Chapter 1 by KrisB

2. Chapter 2 by KrisB

3. Chapter 3 by KrisB

4. Chapter 4 by KrisB

5. Chapter 5 by KrisB

Chapter 1 by KrisB

“What’s the plan for today, hon?” Karen asked as she patted her son’s back where he sat at the kitchen table. 


“I’m not sure. Are the movers coming today?”


“Tomorrow at 9am. I’m going to be packing the last of the stuff we are taking to Florida.”


“I can help.” He offered his mom a small smile, knowing it didn’t really convince her.


She nodded with a smile and then patted his shoulder before heading out of the kitchen. JC hated that his Mom was worried about him. He knew staying in Chicago while stuck in his head about Ken would spill over onto his parents. He just needed time to think it through. He finished the coffee in his mug and then rinsed it in the sink as his phone dinged with a new text message.


Kennelly: I just found the picture of us that you hung. It looks amazing. We had so much fun that day. Xoxo


He couldn’t help but smile. He could imagine her face when she saw the framed photo of them at DisneyLand. He had found it online and loved the inscription: a Wish is a Dream Your Heart Makes. It seemed to be so fitting since they were at Disney and she seemed to be the wish he didn’t even know his heart made. So why had he run? Why did he get so angry when she had other plans for her days off? He knew she was a busy, professional woman and he loved that she had her own life. But he still didn’t want to play second fiddle.


He stared down at his phone, debating whether to answer her or not. It had been two days since he’d left her condo and he still wasn’t any closer to putting his thoughts into words. His phone vibrated back to back in his hand signaling two incoming messages.


Kennelly: I do wish you’d talk to me. I want to help you find answers if I can.


Eric: What’s up, dude? You in LA?


JC replied to Eric.  I’m in Chicago. Helping M&D get ready for big move to FL. You?


Eric: I’m home in LA. Thinking about Labor Day. You in for Hamptons? The Bs are going.


JC smiled at the mention of some of his favorite people. His group of friends always had a great time no matter where they were. He wondered what his friends would think of Kennelly. What would she think of them?


JC: I can do part of the weekend. I have family stuff already planned. I’ll let you know for sure.


Eric: Cool, man. Lemme know if your new girl will be joining us. How is she, BTW?


JC: IDK. I think I screwed up. Still wrapping my brain around it.


JC tucked his phone into his back pocket and headed off to find his Mom.


***(((**((***((((


Kennelly felt like she was walking in a fog. She couldn’t stop replaying the memory of JC walking out of her condo. It had been two days. Two days since her world had been turned upside down. How had he gotten to be the center of her world so quickly? How could she recenter her world? How could she get back to ‘normal’ if he didn’t want her any longer? She took a deep breath, tied her sneakers and headed out. She wanted to try running down her problems, not running away from them.


**((((****(((***(((


JC loaded the last of the boxes from his Mom’s office into the back of her car and his brain returned to Kennelly. He couldn’t get her out of his head and, if he was honest, he didn’t want to. She was the first thing he thought about when he woke and the last thing on his mind when he went to sleep. She consumed his brain anytime he wasn’t focused on keeping her at bay. Her beautiful face and olive eyes haunted him, as did a song he’d written years before.


I can't be with anyone since I felt our worlds collide

It's like I almost died

The way you make me feel

I'm changing, got me breaking down inside

Baby can't you see, you ruined me

For life


He needed to talk to her and get some perspective but he didn’t know what to say. He’d practiced the conversation in his head a million times and each time was different. The only consistent thing was that she hung up on him and never spoke to him again. He knew he absolutely didn’t want that and now he was afraid his silence and hesitation had driven her away. How long had he expected her to keep trying?


“Just bite the bullet,” he scolded and pressed send on his phone.

 

“Hello?”


“Hi. It’s JC.”


“Oh,” her surprise was evident. “How are you?”


“I’m...I’ve been better.”


“I can imagine.”


“How’s Ken?”


“Miserable,” Marilyn answered. “Why don’t you just talk to her?”


“I-I don’t know what to say.”


“Start with hello. It works for me, but you could also try hi or hey.”


He laughed. It was genuine and loud and felt amazing. He needed that release.


“Why did you run?”


“I’m still working that out.”


“Let me tell you something about my friend, Ken.” Marilyn took a breath and cleared her throat. “She doesn’t do casual. As hard as she tries, she can’t disconnect sex from emotions. The first time with you had underlying feelings as a fan, but she really likes you. I’d fashion to say she more than likes you, but I don’t think she has realized that yet. If you were to commit to just her and make even half an effort, you’d be the center of her world.”


“I….I..


“Did you know she applied to do travel nursing after she got back from LA?”


“No.”


“Did you know she is set to take the California Nursing Exam in October?”


“No.” His voice was incredibly quiet. “She never told me.”


“Why would she? Until you came to Chicago, she was under the impression that you were still sticking it to other women.”


“I tried sex with a friend once since Ken came into my life and it didn’t go well.”


“Could that be because your  heart is interested in only Ken? Or already involved with Ken’s?”


“I…..I….”


“I’m just trying to give you some things to think about and consider.” Marilyn took another deep breath. “You need to really figure out what’s going on and start talking to her. She’s all over the place when it comes to you. Your silence is making her crazy. I’ve never seen her like this. She’s running every day, sometimes twice a day. She’s not sleeping much and she’s overworking herself but she’s strong and she won’t back down.”


“She’s one of the most fascinating women I’ve ever met,” JC said with a huge smile and a sigh. “I miss her. I miss her voice and her laugh and her crazy stories. 


“When are you going to call her?”


“I-I’m not sure what to say yet. I need to think.”


“The ball is in your court, hon,” she reminded and he heard people in the background. “My guests have arrived. Think it over tonight then reach out to her. She needs to hear from you or she’s going to move on. She won’t be whole but she’s a survivor.”


“I’ll figure it out. Thanks for listening.”


“You’re welcome, hon. Come back to Houston soon and hang on the boat with us.”


They hung up and JC formulated a plan as he went back inside. 

 

****((((****((((

 

End Notes:

Let me know what you think!

Chapter 2 by KrisB

The next morning, JC opened the door to the bakery and took a deep breath. The place smelled like Kennelly and he smiled nervously.


“Oh, hello.” Aunt Ginny smiled from behind the counter, her hands carrying a tray of cookies. “How can I help you, JC?”


“Is Ken here?”


“She’s doing inventory in the new fridge. Why don’t you go on back?”


He nodded and stepped behind the counter, surprised when Ginny patted his shoulder in kind comfort. He pushed through the swinging door and walked into the work room. He stopped outside the walk-in fridge and took a couple more deep breaths before opening the heavy door. 


There was the center of his thoughts. His light. His distraction. His catalyst. 


“Hi.”


He watched her entire body freeze for a few seconds, as if her brain didn’t trust her ears. Slowly her beautiful face turned towards him, her green eyes blinking multiple times. She remained sitting on a bucket marked RED FONDANT but her lips spread into a gorgeous, if tentative smile.


“Hello. What are you doing here?” Her voice was like music to his ears.


“I think we need to talk.”


“I think we do, too.” She turned on her bucket and patted the one next to her. “Care to join me?”


“You want to talk here?”


“I want to talk and I think this will keep our hormones chilled.”


He laughed, loud and deep. Her dancing eyes made him relax and he sat next to her. Now that they were physically close, he wanted to kiss her. Hold her. Something.


“I want to kiss you.” Kennelly’s voice was very quiet as she spoke to the floor. “I know I’m supposed to be giving you space and I know that there are a lot of things we need to discuss but I can’t help wanting to kiss you.”


“Me, too.” He moved his hand so it rested on her knee. “How about one kiss then we’ll talk?”


Ken’s eyes snapped up to meet his and her face exploded with a grin. She reached for him as he reached for her and their lips came together. The first kiss was simple and delicious but neither wanted to stop so they continued with another and another. Before either realized it, Ken was on his lap and his hands were cupping her face. All too quickly, Ken pulled back and rested her forehead on his.


“I’m sorry. I got carried away.”


“Me, too.” Ken sighed and then hugged him close, resting her head on his shoulder. “Physical isn’t our problem. Communication is.”


“Yeah.”


JC pulled her closer, rubbing his hands up and down her back. He wasn’t even aware that he had pulled her curls from the hair tie holding them until his nose was buried in them. This was what he needed. A single dose of Ken in his arms every day would do wonders for his health, mental and physical.


“I talked to Marilyn yesterday. She said you were taking a California Nursing test.”


Ken froze in his arms. Her lungs didn’t expand. Her head didn’t move but he could practically hear the wheels turning in her brain.


“She did?” Her voice came out in a whisper before she cleared her throat, took a deep breath and sat back to look at his face. “I...I am. I sit for the test in October.”


“You want to come to California?”


“I thought I could go semi-pro as a surfer and since we don’t have an ocean in Illinois, I thought I should move to the coast.”


“Smart mouth,” JC growled and swatted her ass, making them both laugh. “Seriously, are you thinking about California?”


“More and more each time I see you.”


He couldn’t control the grin that split his face. She was thinking of them long term and making a plan to get them together. His woman was a planner.


“I like that idea.”


“It will take some time though. Licensing doesn’t happen overnight and we have some things to figure out between us.” Ken kissed his nose and then slid off of his lap and back onto her bucket. “I need you to talk to me. I don’t want to make all of these changes in my life and disrupt my professional world if you don’t feel the same.”


“How do you feel?”


“Why do I have to go first?” 


“Because I asked first.” JC playfully bumped her shoulder with his before threading his fingers through hers. “I want to be close to you. I want to see where this goes. I want to be in the same city as you so that I can learn more about you and about myself when I’m with you.”


“I want those things, too.”


“What else do you want?”


“I...I want us to be exclusive.” She met his eye again and he nodded.”I don’t want to share you sexually but if I’m not enough, I need you to tell me before you fuck anyone else.”


“I want us to be exclusive as well.”


“I need you to promise…”


“I promise to communicate with you about any extracurricular sex before it happens,” he promised quietly, moving one of his hands to cup her jaw. “But I don’t think it’ll happen. Sex with you is fun and light and heavy and fulfilling.”


“What if that changes?”


“What if you need more than I can give you? I need you to promise to tell me.”


“Won’t happen.” Ken shook her head with a shy smile. “I can barely keep up now.”


“I seem to recall that you are the addict, not me.”


“Takes one to know one.”


He laughed and pulled her back onto his lap so he could kiss her again. Her mouth moved against his in a familiar yet exhilarating dance. He groaned when her tongue tangled with his and her arms folded around his shoulders.


“KEN! I need eggs. Is it safe to open the door?” Aunt Ginny called from outside the fridge door and then burst out laughing.


“Gotta love family and their fabulous timing.” Ken sighed and kissed him once more before climbing off of his lap. “Come in, you brat!”


The door opened and Ginny grinned at the two of them. She grabbed a carton of eggs and then stepped back out of the fridge. 


“I. I. Uh...I really, really like you.” Ken admitted as she locked eyes with him. “I feel more than ‘like’ but it scares me because it’s so new.”


JC’s face nearly split in two with her admissions. His heart felt like it could gallop out of his chest at any moment. He pulled her face back to his for another smooch.


“I really, really like you, too. More is brewing inside me, too.”


“See, was that really so hard to admit?” Ken winked as she stood up, clipboard in hand. “Maybe next time we get stuck, one of us could just say what needs to be said.”


“Sounds great in theory but we need to practice.”


“Agreed. I also feel like we are going to have more to discuss.”


“I agree. Are we OK?” JC asked as he came to his feet. “I don’t want to brush past this if you want to talk more about it.”


“I’m OK for now, but I’m sure I’ll have more thoughts as we settle into the next phase.”


“I’m sure I might as well.”


“I’m here so talk to me.” Ken reached up for another kiss but pulled back before they got too carried away. “I do need to finish inventory though. We need to get our monthly reports done before my eye surgery.”


“I can help.”


“Thank you. If you’ll finish in here, I can move on to the dry goods.”


JC took the offered clipboard and started in on his task as Ken stepped out of the fridge. He found her in the supply closet twenty minutes later when his sheet was complete. She was stooped over, counting huge bags of flour on the lower shelf. He took a moment to appreciate the way her black pants hugged her hips and ass.


“JC, could I borrow you?” Aunt Ginny called from the decorating counter. “Ken has the step ladder and I need another bag of powdered sugar from the top shelf.”


“Sure.”


As he stepped away, he looked back and caught Ken checking him out. He wiggled his eyebrows at her and they both laughed. He pulled down the sugar and followed Ginny.


“What are you mixing up?” JC asked as he handed Ginny the bag of sugar. “Frosting?”


“Yes, cream cheese frosting to be exact.”


“Yum.”


“Have you ever made frosting?” Ginny asked as she lead the way to the counter. “We mix so much of it here that I forget other folks don’t always make their own.”


“I’ve never made frosting in my life. I’ve seen my Mom do it though.”


“Grab an apron and I’ll show you how to do it like a professional.”


JC followed her instructions, carefully measuring each ingredient. The mixer he dumped it all  into was huge and he had to use both hands to properly install the mixing paddle. Slowly, all of the ingredients blended together and formed a smooth, fluffy concoction. Ginny handed him a small spoon and he dipped it into the frosting. 


“Delish!” Ginny grinned and tapped her spoon to his in cheers. “You’re hired!”


“Thanks!”


“You made frosting?” Ken asked with a grin as she came up beside him, her hand settling on his left hip. “Did you follow the recipe?”


“I followed Aunt Ginny’s instructions. Wanna taste?” JC offered his spoon, pleased when Ken took her own taste.


“Yummy. Great job, C.”


“Ginny hired me.”


“Oh, yeah? You gonna try your hand at decorating some cupcakes next?” Ken asked as she raised the paddle and began scraping the frosting off of it into the mixer. “We need 120 cupcakes for an order tomorrow.”


“Oh, uh, I don’t want to mess anything up.”


“You won’t, I promise. Can you carry the mixing bowl to that counter please?” Ginny pointed and led the way. “These cupcakes are super simple and the decorating tip does all of the work for you.”


“I’ll try.”


JC carried the mixing bowl--which was heavier than it looked-- to the stand and then took the large tapered bag from Ken. He held it the way she showed him and watched as she loaded some of his frosting into it. She loaded her own back and then showed him how to push the frosting down towards the smaller end. He held his bag while Aunt Ginny added a metal piece to the small end and twisted on a tip.


“What you want to do is apply steady, even pressure to the bottom part of your bag with your right hand. Your left hand is just there as a guide and to keep the frosting from plopping out of the top of your bag.” Ken explained as she put the metal piece on her own bag and then hovered over a cupcake. “Start on the outside and swirl around as you slowly come in.”


He watched closely as she covered the top of the cupcake in just a few seconds. Her swirl was even and beautiful. He watched her cover three more before he made his first attempt.


“Not bad but you can tell that you hesitated right here,” Ginny said as she pointed to where his frosting was broken. “Try again while I fix this one.”


JC tried again and this time didn’t see any breakage in the swirl. He cocked his head as he did a third cupcake then looked over to Ken’s side of the counter. She had covered more than a dozen cupcakes while he did three.


“Don’t make that face.” Ken grinned and reached over for a quick kiss. “I’ve been doing this since I was five. I can do this blindfolded. Yours look good. Keep up the good work.”


He made a face but continued to swirl. After a dozen, Ken showed him how to move frosting further down the bag before she refilled hers with more frosting. Ginny rejoined them and made a pleased humming noise as she reviewed his work. She started adding sprinkles over their frosting and the cupcakes looked good.


“Let’s switch pans. Grab yours and follow me.” Ken lifted her finished tray and lead the way to the walk-in cooler. “We keep them cool overnight because of the cream cheese. Once we have finished with frosting the rest of the cupcakes, we will start to box these.”


“How long will that take?”


“With your help and Ginny doing the sprinkles, about an hour. Two if only one of us is working with the frosting.”


“Do you have other orders to work on this afternoon?” JC followed her back out into the work room and took another tray of cupcakes to the counter. “I counted 13 boxes in the walk-in. Are those all cupcakes, too?”


“Some are cupcakes and some are actual cakes. I have a Mickey Mouse and smash cake to finish but they are still cooling. It’s for my baby cousin’s first birthday party tomorrow. He loves Mickey.”


JC found himself mesmerized by the speed of her hands as she worked the frosting. In no time at all, she was finished with the tray he’d carried over for her and he hadn’t even started his own. She caught him watching and bumped his hip with hers.


“You’d better get to work before Aunt Ginny comes back and fires your ass for slacking off.”


“I can’t stop watching you.” He winked and then started swirling frosting. “Are you sure mine look OK?”


“Yes, I’m sure they look fantastic. Thank you for your help.”


“Ken, did you bake the dark chocolate sponge cakes?” Ginny called from the front. “I’m double checking the orders for tomorrow and it’s not marked off.”

 

Ken left him at the counter to double check the walk-in. JC grinned after her, not believing that he was spending the afternoon frosting cupcakes. He had made his first batch of frosting and was helping his girlfriend’s family business. Who would have thought this would make him as happy as performing in front of a packed stadium.

Chapter 3 by KrisB

“Is it normal for my hands to hurt a little?” JC asked as he flexed his right hand. “My fingers are stiff.”


“You frosted more than 50 cupcakes. I’d be surprised if you weren’t a little sore, punk.”


He laughed and pulled Ken close, nuzzling her neck. The afternoon and evening had passed quickly as they worked in the bakery. After they had finished the cupcakes, Ken had moved on to the Mickey cake. He watched her roll out fondant and cover the cake. Pieces seemed to be temperamental but Ken didn’t give up. It took her nearly an hour but her finished cake looked fantastic.


“Is your hand up for a smash cake?”


“What’s a smash cake?” He asked, bringing his hands up to cup her face and change the angle of her face for a better kiss. “Is it for us to take back to your condo?”


“Ha! No. It’s for the birthday boy.”


JC lost all thought of the smash cake when Ken’s tongue swept past his lips. He wasn’t sure how it was possible but everytime he kissed her, he felt more and more intune with her. He was definitely learning to speak Kennelly. All too soon, she pulled back and sighed.


“I could kiss you for hours.”


“I could kiss you for hours as well,” Ken smiled and stepped out of his reach. “I need to finish the smash cake and box the cupcakes or I don’t get to go home.”


“We don’t want to leave you trapped here.”


“No, we don’t. Especially since it’s Monday and I happen to know you have a recording session on Wednesday. I imagine this is your last night in Chicago so I’d really like to spend it with you but not here.”


“I can work on the cupcakes while you do the cake if you want.”


“Thank you, punk.”


Ken lead him to the boxes and showed him how to fold it. Once they had four ready to go, Ken left him to start on the smash cake. 


“You’re just doing more swirls.” JC’s hands paused loading cupcakes as he watched her cover the 6 inch cake in blue swirls. “I could do that.”


“I asked if your hands were up to it but you offered to do the boxes.”


An hour later, all of the cupcakes were boxes and the smash cake was resting in the walk-in. Kennelly checked the order book one final time before hanging the last of the rubber spatulas above the mixer. She took the rag JC used to wipe down the counters and grabbed the full laundry basket by the back door before heading out to the front of the bakery. 


“What are your dinner plans?”


“I’m all yours.” JC took the basket so she could lock the door. “Anything specific you’re hungry for?”


“Honestly, something we can take home so I can relax with you.”


“I saw a Thai place on the way here. Do you like Thai?”


“I do.” Ken opened her trunk and JC loaded the basket before she pulled him close for a long hug. “Do you want to stop and get it while I head home? I can get this laundry started and make some iced tea.”


JC nodded and took her order. Twenty minutes later, he rang her doorbell and carried a large bag of food inside. She had their drinks and utensils ready on the coffee table. Together they unpacked the food and settled on the couch.


“Do you work tomorrow?”


“Yeah, 7a to 7p. What time is your flight?” Ken asked before taking a bite of noodles, expertly using chopsticks.


“2 in the afternoon.”


“You’re welcome to stay here until you need to head to the airport.”


“Thanks. I want to be here.” JC pulled her ponytail so he could get a quick smooch. “I need to check on a few things in LA but I’d like to be back for your eye surgery. Is that OK?”


“You’re welcome here anytime, punk. I like having you here. I like being able to touch you and see you and smell you.”


“I like being close to you, too.”


They ate in a comfortable silence for several minutes. Ken switched on the television to some mindless comedy and then sipped her tea. She bit her lip and scrunched her nose before finally turning on the couch to face him.


“So...when we were in the bathtub and discussing my schedule, you asked what you were going to do for sex while we were apart.”


“I’m not going to fuck anyone else. We agreed to be exclusive when we talked in the cooler at the bakery. Or did you forget?”


“I didn’t forget. Let me finish, punk.” She playfully swatted his arm, making him drop a piece of chicken on his lap. “I was just going to mention that I thought of another way we could...uh...connect.”


“Oh yeah?”


“We could skype or video chat. I don’t know what app you use but we both have iPhones so maybe Facetime.”


“Our own digital getdown.” JC grinned and set his food aside before leaning into her. “I love that idea.”


“I’m not saying we have to actually ‘get down’ on camera but the option is there if the distance or time apart is too much.”


“Everything is a poor substitute for the real thing but sometimes you just need a little visual stimulation to get through.”


“Right.” Ken nodded and tilted her head so JC had better access to her neck. “I need to look at the work calendar when I’m there tomorrow and see if I can move some things around so that I have a chunk of time off that’s not Labor Day weekend.”


“Don’t.”


“Why not?”


“I..uh..I think I want to invite you to Florida or the Hamptons.”


“Who is in the Hamptons?”


“Eric rented a place and several friends will be there.” JC took a deep breath then asked, “Do you want to go with me and meet some of my friends?”


“You want me to meet some of your friends?”


“I do.”


“Oh, uh, I’d like that.” Ken smiled tentatively. “I hope you don’t feel pressured to invite me.”


“I don’t. I think you’ll like them and I know they will love you.”


“I’d love to go and meet your friends. Thank you.”


JC grinned and kissed her, pushing her back onto the couch. He easily pushed one knee between hers and a hand under the rib cage. He had no idea that he would actually invite her to the Hamptons and she’d say yes. Now, he had to get her to agree to come to Florida.


“So…”


“You want to talk now?” Ken asked with a laugh and hooked one of her legs around one of his. “I can think of other things we could be doing, punk.”


“We’ll get to that, I promise. I just wanted to know if you’d like to go to Florida with me as well.”


“You said it was a family weekend. I don’t want to intrude.”


“You’re not intruding.” JC rubbed her nose with his. “I’d like to introduce you to my family. Well, the rest of my family since you already met Mom.”


“Are we ready for that step?”


“I am. Are you? I mean, I’ve already been submerged into your family. Why not return the favor?”


“Punk.” Ken laughed and swatted his bottom. “I’d like to meet them as long as you’re OK with it.”


“I want you there. Dad, Ty and I are doing a fishing trip early one morning but I can skip it.”


“Don’t you dare. I’m sure I can entertain myself or something.”


“OK, OK. I won’t skip it.” JC kissed her once more then rested his head on her chest, working his arms under her. “I love being this close to you.”

 

“Agreed.” Ken sighed and combed her fingers through his hair.”

End Notes:

 

Looks like I've had some readers. Are you enjoying this story?

Chapter 4 by KrisB

“Hey, C.” Michael grinned and pulled him into a quick hug, welcoming JC into his house. “I didn’t know you were back in town.”


“I got in on Tuesday.”


“Does Lance know you were coming by? He is finally getting a haircut but he should be back anytime now.”


“No, I didn’t call first.” JC followed Michael into the cozy living room, petting the dogs as he went. “I-I was kinda hoping to talk something out with you two. I mean, if you have time.”


“We always have time for you, hon. Do you want a drink?”


“Sure.”


By the time Michael uncorked a bottle of wine and brought it to the living room, Lance was home. The three settled into a groove and JC started to relax.


“So, what did you want to talk about?” Michael asked, his arm behind Lance on the back of the couch. “Ooh! How was your time in Chicago?”


“It went well at first. Mom and Dad loved having me and I got to hang with Dan and Paul.”


“What about Kennelly? Did you see her?” Lance leaned into Michael’s touch and JC felt a pang of jealousy, remaining silent. “Or is that what you want to talk about?”


“I-I met some of her family.”


“Oh, yeah? How was that?”


JC sipped his wine before answering Michael’s question. “Her aunts are cool but there is a lot of family in the immediate area. One of the bakery fridges quit and she had to go in to help salvage groceries. Her grandfather showed up and we ended up at a family dinner at his house.”


“Did you want to meet her family? I mean, it is kinda soon.” Lance scrunched his nose and JC sighed.


“She gave me an out, telling me that I could just relax at her condo while she went in but I wanted to go. I wanted to help her. I-I wanted to see her in her baking element. But then Pop insisted I come to dinner so I couldn’t really say no.”


“Yes, you could have. Ken would have understood, I’m sure.”


“Babe, let him speak.” Michael kissed Lance’s temple. “We both know that JC is smitten with Ken and wanted to spend as much time with her as possible. Meeting the family wouldn’t have stopped him.”


“So what is the issue then?” JC squirmed under Lance’s gaze. “Oh, I see. You more than like her.”


“Yes.”


“And she doesn’t like you?”


“Of course she does.” Michael swatted Lance’s shoulder. “Let him talk, babe.”


JC took a deep breath then sipped more wine. He needed to say what was on his mind, just get it out in the open. He crossed his right leg over his left and bit his lip. As honest as he needed to be, he also didn’t want his friends to think he was selfish.


“How do I know she’ll make us, er, me a priority? She says that she wants to move here but what if that’s just a line?”


The couple across from him was silent. JC lifted his eyes to meet Lance’s green orbs for a second before lowering back to his wine glass. All of his NSYNC bandmates knew him well but sometimes his insecurity surprised even them.


“C-man, she’s into you. You know that, right?” Lance moved to sit beside him. “She wouldn’t have come to LA or welcomed you in Chicago if she wasn’t into you.”


“It could just be sex.”


“If it was just sex, would you spend hours on the phone talking about random things? Or texting about the surf report?”


“I guess not.” JC kept his eyes down.


“I’m sure the distance makes things harder but you’ll figure that out.”


Michael moved to sit on the coffee table in front of JC and patted his knee. “Why don’t you invite her out to LA again soon?”


“The next block of time she has off is Labor Day and I invited her to Orlando with the family.” JC thought back over how he’d accused her of looking for an invite. “She is also going to the Hamptons with me.”


“She didn’t press for an invite to family time?” Lance grinned at Michael when JC shook his head. “C, she’s as nervous as you are. I bet everyone will love her though.”


“It’s just that her life is so full and, right now, I have a lot of sessions here on the West coast.”


“Look at it this way, you’re without her temporarily right now. Could you give her up entirely?” Lance posed the question and JC’s heart immediately started racing, hating the idea. “How does that thought make you feel?”


“Nauseous. Shaky.” JC took a gulp of wine then dug his phone out of his pocket as an incoming text signaled.


“How did you leave things in Chicago?” Michael took JC’s glass to refill it as JC read his text. “Is that from her?”


“Yes, it’s from Ken and we left things in a pretty good place but my brain has had several days to overthink everything.”


“I know what your problem is.” Lance grinned and sipped his own wine before clueing the other two in. “You’re second guessing yourself. You are finally letting yourself be vulnerable with a woman. You haven’t done that in years, not since…”


“Don’t say her name.” Michael shivered. “She’s like the boogie man. You say her name and she’ll appear. I can’t deal with her today.”


JC couldn’t help but laugh at Michael’s reaction to one of his ex-girlfriends. Her treatment of him and his friends had left a very lasting impression. Lance could have a valid point but JC had no idea how to be comfortable with putting himself out there again.


“You need to figure out how to tell her what’s going on inside that brilliant mind of yours.” Lance sighed. “You said she has been thinking of moving out here.”


“Yeah, she has to take some exam in October to get her license. I don’t know much more about what has to happen for her to get a job out here. She said it will take some time.”


“I know you, C. You are going to drive yourself insane worrying about the details until she’s physically here.”


“I know. I also know that it’ll drive her insane to see me worrying about something neither of us can control.” JC smiled as he pictured her worried face, her teeth biting her lip. “I have to figure out how to help but not go insane or drive her insane.”

 

“We’ll help anyway we can.”

Chapter 5 by KrisB
Author's Notes:

Sorry for the hiatus. I was on vacation. :)

 

JC arrived back in Chicago the night before Kennelly’s eye surgery. She had picked him up at the airport and they’d driven back to her condo. 


“I need to wash the day off. You want to unpack and join me?” Ken offered with a smile as she unpacked a few groceries she had picked up before she met him. 


“Definitely!”


He followed her up the steps, his bag in hand, then into the bedroom. He dropped the bag on the bed and unzipped, easing his toiletry bag out. He then pulled a stack of shirts, shorts and jeans and placed them on the bed.


“I cleared out 2 drawers for you.” Ken slid open one large and one small drawer of her dresser then stood nervously to the side. “I thought you might like to not live out of a bag when you’re here.”


“Ken, that would be awesome. Thank you.”


JC quickly unpacked into the drawers then pulled her close, nuzzling her neck. His fingers made quick work of the rubberband, freeing her curls. The vanilla scent of her filled his nose and lungs, making him feel centered and at home.


After a quick but fun shower, the two resettled back in the kitchen. They made a delicious dinner of shrimp scampi and salad before settling on the couch, the TV playing in the background. Their conversation was light as they caught up on each other’s last few days. Ken smiled when JC relayed Lance and Michael’s love and dinner invitation. 


“Does the dinner invitation have an expiration date?” Ken questioned as she settled back into the arm of the couch. “I don’t know exactly when I’ll be in LA again. I hope sooner rather than later.”


“I hope so, too. You test in October so maybe not that long after you get your results.”


“We also have to figure out the bakery. I can’t leave my family high and dry. Any move for me has to be planned and will take some time.”


“I understand.” He squeezed her leg and moved a little closer. “How much time do you think though?”


“JC.” She sighed.


“I don’t need an exact number of days, but like a ball park.”


“I don’t know for sure.” Ken sighed but didn’t wiggle out of his grasp. “I doubt it would be before the end of the year.”


“I assumed a nursing license was valid in every state.”


“Not necessarily. It was something I had to learn and consider before moving. A travel nurse agency will help with a job placement after I’ve passed.”


“Do you get to specify where you want to work?” JC was curious on how it all worked now that he knew she had a plan. “Like which city?”


“City, yes but I’m unsure if I’ll have a choice of which hospital though. I’m qualified to work at a Level One Trauma center so that should allow me to work just about anywhere.”


“Will you stay in the Emergency Room?”


“Yeah, that’s my skill set and I don’t think I’d do well as a floor nurse.” She smiled again. “I need to be busy.”


As she talked, he couldn’t take his eyes off of her. He loved how her brow wrinkled with her determination but her smile was his favorite feature. Her lips flattened across her white teeth and the sides of her mouth showed a few laugh lines.


“I love your smile.”


She blushed a little and he slid his hands up to her knees as he shifted closer. When she didn’t stop him, he eased himself between her knees so he could get closer to her face.


“Punk.”


“God, I’ve missed you.” He paused with his face just above hers and waited until she lifted her lips up to his. “My Ken.”


He kept his kiss light and short but gave an internal scream of joy when he felt her kiss him back. Ken laughed and he joined in before lightly biting where her shoulder met her neck. As they wrestled and laughed, both slid further down on the couch and he held his weight above her so as not to squish her. They kissed but she pulled back before he was able to work his hand under her bra.


“Punk.” Her voice was filled with regret as she pulled back from him.


“You don’t want to? We can go slow.”


“I have my period.” She made a face and they both laughed. “I haven’t ever done period sex and the thought just isn’t appealing. Not even with you, punk.”


“I get it.”


“Are you disappointed?”


“A little but I get it.” He rested his forehead on hers again then kissed her nose. “I think we need to go a little slow anyway. I want to make sure you have no lingering regrets about letting me back in.”


“I don’t.”


“I also think we need to come up with a nickname for me to call you.”


“Why?” Ken laughed and swatted his ass. 


“Why not? I mean, I enjoy you calling me punk. No one else on the planet calls me that.”


“That’s because I’m special. I mean, I don’t want you to get confused on who you’re with.”


“You’re so ornery to me.” JC captured her hands and held them above her head as he nuzzled her neck. “Cupcake. That’s what I’m going to call you.”


“Cupcake? Because I’m a kick-ass baker?”

 

“Yes but also because you smell like a cupcake. My cupcake.” Her laugh made his heart sing and he couldn’t resist kissing her again.

End Notes:



Do you like what you read?

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2945