Build My World by IvyVega
Summary:

"Clear my eyes, it's the morning after. Did I fall in love, or did I find disaster...?"

 

Hannah and JC seemed destined to run into each other, but neither of them planned for what they became...

 

As they navigate how to move forward with their lives, who knows where life will lead them...


Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: JC Chasez
Awards: None
Genres: Angst, General, Humor, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 32 Completed: No Word count: 70406 Read: 152358 Published: Jan 12, 2021 Updated: May 26, 2021
Story Notes:

1. Chapter 1 by IvyVega

2. Chapter 2 by IvyVega

3. Chapter 3 by IvyVega

4. Chapter 4 by IvyVega

5. Chapter 5 by IvyVega

6. Chapter 6 by IvyVega

7. Chapter 7 by IvyVega

8. Chapter 8 by IvyVega

9. Chapter 9 by IvyVega

10. Chapter 10 by IvyVega

11. Chapter 11 by IvyVega

12. Chapter 12 by IvyVega

13. Chapter 13 by IvyVega

14. Chapter 14 by IvyVega

15. Chapter 15 by IvyVega

16. Chapter 16 by IvyVega

17. Chapter 17 by IvyVega

18. Chapter 18 by IvyVega

19. Chapter 19 by IvyVega

20. Chapter 20 by IvyVega

21. Chapter 21 by IvyVega

22. Chapter 22 by IvyVega

23. Chapter 23 by IvyVega

24. Chapter 24 by IvyVega

25. Chapter 25 by IvyVega

26. Chapter 26 by IvyVega

27. Chapter 27 by IvyVega

28. Chapter 28 by IvyVega

29. Chapter 29 by IvyVega

30. Chapter 30 by IvyVega

31. Chapter 31 by IvyVega

32. EPILOGUE by IvyVega

Chapter 1 by IvyVega

Shifting quietly to face her, he took a moment to study her in the sunlight’s reflection.

It was earlier than he needed to be up, but sleep had been a struggle lately.


A definite sign of trouble for him. 


He smiled at the sight of her. Peaceful, happy in her slumber. That stupid messy bun she slept in. He never understood it, as it never stayed in all night. She tossed and turned a lot. Always had. Still, she was adorable like this. Mouth slightly open, long eyelashes bathed in the light on her face. Her eyes didn’t need to be open for him to imagine the hazel of her eyes. She loved a good pajama set, but he preferred her in one of his t-shirts.


He wished it could always be like this. Easy, comfortable. It had been once. For longer than he had thought it would. 


Not lately, though. They knew each other too well. They had plateaued. There was routine to what they had, but the spark was gone. 


He thought of last night. Another fight. Neither of them willing to back down. The passion was still there, just focused on the wrong part of their relationship.


It always ended the same way. No resolution and great sex. He wasn’t ready to let her go. She was hanging on, too.


His mind drifted to a memory…



“Why are you looking at me like that?” she stared back at him.

“...Like what…” he bluffed, his mouth stuck in a lazy smile


She squinted at him, a warning, “JC Chasez you look like you like me…”


“...What if I do…?”


She sighed and shook her head, a smile pulling at the corners of her mouth “That’s not what we agreed on…”


He grinned “Then why are you giving me the same look…?”



THE BEGINNING


Hannah fastened a silver hoop in her ear as she walked into the living room to grab her clutch.

Her hair was pinned on one side, leaving her naturally curly to hang free on the other. 


She was met by a once over by her roommate.


“THAT’S what you’re wearing?” Jade questioned


Hannah looked down. She didn’t understand what was so offensive about her designer jeans and patterned cropped top. 


“What’s wrong with it…?” Hannah made a face. 


“Are you wearing heels?”


“Would that make you feel better…?” she asked sarcastically.


“I mean..yeah...kinda…” Jade surveyed her from her slinky, body hugging dress and stilettos.


Hannah rolled her eyes. “Jade...this is your world, NOT mine...No one cares what I’m wearing…”


“Hannah...come on...You’re my best friend...Just do this for me?”


“I’m going, aren’t I...You promise I don’t have to talk to Eric?”


Jade laughed “I REALLY don’t get what your problem with him is...but I promise…”


“He’s just….creepy…” Hannah shuddered as she grabbed her leather jacket and threw it on “Is this Hollywood enough for you, Miss Starlet?” she teased with duckface.


Jade smirked “Yeah...You look ready for TMZ...Come on...We’re gonna be late…”


“Now see...THAT’S Hollywood…” Hannah winked. 


***

Jade and Hannah milled about the crowded room, Hannah following on Jade’s heels as she networked and laughed at the forced jokes of industry bigwigs and fellow actors. 


There was an air of pretense that Hannah didn’t love, but this was the game. Jade actually was talented, and she was happy to support anything that got her best friend the chance to show that to the world. 


Making their way to an open booth in the back area, they were stopped when Jade hugged a man in front of her.


“Hi! Oh my gosh how long has it been...Great to see you!”


“Damn, mama...Looking good…” he chirped. “We gotta get you out to more of these things.”


Jade blushed “Working on it...Auditions  have kept me busy…”


“Yeah? Anyone biting?”


“A few callbacks...We’ll see…”


“Well don’t forget us little people…” he smirked. 


Hannah hung back silently. The dynamic of all of Eric’s clients had always been strange to her. They were like a little family-an exclusive, schmoozy, kind of weird family?


She had heard Jade mention he was one of Eric’s clients, but had never run into him at an event with Jade before.


Still, she knew exactly who he was, blue eyes and charm and all.


Jade playfully answered his smirk with a light tap on the arm before turning to Hannah.


“Have you ever met my best friend Hannah?”


“I don’t think I’ve had the pleasure,” he smiled, extending his hand.


“Hello…” Hannah took his hand to be polite. He lingered just a bit and she politely pulled away. 


Jade spoke up again “Well...We’ll see you around maybe later? These shoes are killing me...Gonna go find a seat…”


“Uh...Yeah...Have fun, ladies, “ he nodded at both of them. 


Hannah smiled briefly  “Great to meet you…”


Jade giggled a little as they walked away “THAT one...That one is trouble…” she shook her head.


“Eyes like that? Who wouldn’t be?” Hannah gave her a sly smile. 


Jade laughed and took a long sip of her drink “I’ve heard that’s not the only secret weapon he has…”


***


JC stared down at his empty glass from his VIP table. The night had gotten a little stale after making the rounds with the same crowd he was used to seeing. He had danced with a few women, all of them more interested in finding a way to fame than him. 


He scanned the room, sighing as he contemplated an early exit. His eyes landed on a familiar face. She was alone at the bar. He smiled to himself, noticing her lack of interest in the who’s who she was surrounded by. 


He straightened his button down a little and walked over to  find an open spot next to her..


Smiling casually, he turned to face her. “Hannah, right...Having a good night?”


Caught off guard, Hannah turned her head toward the voice on her left “Um...Yeah...Hi..It’s...alright. “ she smiled.


His blue eyes smiled with the rest of his face. Blue eyes she had seen plenty of times before. 


“What are you drinking?” he continued. 


She smirked “Whiskey...whiskey ginger.”


“Great choice” he grinned as he leaned up against the bar and settled in.


“I think so...I also think if you’re here to buy me one...Your timing sucks.”


“Excuse me..” he chuckled, thrown off.


“What do you think I’m doing at the bar,” she replied with a sarcasm that only made him more intrigued.


“Touche…” he smiled as he got the bartender’s attention.


Pointing at Hannah, he spoke a bit more loudly “Put hers on my tab? ...And I’ll take one too”


The bartender winked and nodded, and he turned back to look directly at a pair of surprised brown eyes. 


“How’s THAT for timing…”


She took a sip of the drink that had just arrived as he raised his glass. “Cheers?”


She clinked his glass “Ok...That was pretty smooth, Mr. Chasez…” she smiled softly.


He blushed slightly “Uh..You know…”


“...Who you are? Yes. I’m a woman of a certain age and...Well..It’s LA…” she smirked.


“ I thought maybe Jade told you...” 


Hannah shook her head “She didn’t need to...She did say you’re trouble, though…”


JC’s eyes widened a little “Oh did she?” He chuckled and looked into Hannah’s eyes “Well...She wouldn’t know…”


Hannah blushed. 


“So...Do you act, too?” he asked.


Hannah nearly choked on her drink “Oh GOD no,” she laughed “I’m a writer…”


JC smiled “Nice...Like...books?”


Hannah laughed a little. She didn’t know why she hadn’t made a beeline away yet. Probably because he was HOTT. He wasn’t really impressing her with conversation, though.


“Eventually...LA Times for now..”


He stuck out his bottom lip in acknowledgement “Impressive...Would I have seen any of your pieces?”


She laughed “Probably not..I’m an editor…”  


“Well...I’ll have to read the fine print next time…” he grinned.


“Mmm…I guess so…” she humored him.


She knew his reputation. She also knew his voice. And those cheekbones.  To be honest, she was flattered. She’d be lying if she said she wasn’t.


“I should get back ….” she nodded her head toward where Jade was still dancing, pausing a beat before continuing “...Are you coming?” she smirked.


***


They sat in silence after a few minutes, enjoying their drinks as both of them surveyed the party. Jade was dancing the night away, coming back to check on Hannah and drag her out for a song every now and again. 


This was her element. She was born for this life, and Hannah was thrilled it was finally happening for her. 


“Not a big fan of dancing, huh?” he interrupted her thoughts.


She looked over at him  “I wouldn’t say that...Just not my crowd…”


JC nodded, his eyes narrowing into a bit of a squint “Yeah...I can tell...You’re not shy, though…” he stated matter-of-factly before turning back to his drink. 


Hannah smiled, intrigued “And how do you know that…?”


“I can just tell..” he shrugged.


“Hmm...Maybe..” she smirked a little, deciding to have a little fun as she stared at him over the rim of her glass as she took a sip.


“So then...You CAN dance…?”


Hannah giggled a little. “Oh I can dance…”


“I kinda don’t believe you..” JC teased. 


Hannah rolled her eyes, knowing full well the game he was playing. Setting her drink on the table, she stood up and nodded toward the dance floor. 


“Fine...Come on…”


JC’s eyes raised up to his brow, as he stood to meet her. “Lead the way, LA Times…”




All appearances had vanished from his mind the second she started moving her hips perfectly to the rhythm. This girl knew what she was doing, and he had a feeling she saw right through him, too.


Grinning, he pulled her closer by the hips gently, matching his moves to her body. Hannah had lost herself a little bit. He was a REALLY good dancer, and she was enjoying herself more than she had expected. Her hands travelled to his chest, where he caught her wrists, pulling them up around his neck. 


Following his motion with her eyes, brown locked on blue as they caught each other’s gaze. 

He dipped his head toward her, whispering as he got closer.


“Yeah...you can dance…” he smirked before placing his lips tentatively on hers. 


Hannah felt herself relax, losing her ability to form a comeback, as she returned his touch.


He smiled against her mouth, kissing her with more pressure as she kissed him back. 

A few minutes passed until a familiar melody broke them of their trance…



Don’t be so quick to..walk away...Dance with me…


Hannah was the first to break, laughing against his lips “THAT’S timing…”


She watched the corner of his eyes crinkle as his mouth twisted into a laugh and sighed.


“That guy...always ruining a moment…” he teased. 


Hannah shook her head, wondering if anyone had seen what just happened.


“Ya know...Its late...We could..Go somewhere a little quieter?”


She looked down briefly, considering his meaning, then back up at him. 


“Let me just say goodnight to Jade…”


***

Hannah looked around as she followed him inside. 


“Nice place…” she trailed off.


JC smiled “Thanks...It’s alright...You want a drink?” he asked as he made his way to a small bar area.


She smiled “Uh..whiskey neat..”


“You got it.” He poured two glasses and walked over, handing her one, watching her as she took a first sip.


“Great party, huh?”


Hannah smirked, looking down “I guess...Not really my thing. Roommate duty.”


JC nodded and chuckled lightly “Yeah I uh...just making conversation I guess. They can be kinda routine…”


She looked him up and down as he sipped his drink.


The air was heavy as a pause settled over both of them. An unspoken expectation lingered, both of them daring each other with their eyes to fulfill it.


JC was the first to move, walking toward her and placing a calm hand on her glass to pull it down from her lips as he hovered inches from her face. His eyes had deepened. 


“So what are you into, then…”


Taking a short breath, she leaned forward as his lips met hers. Their glasses disappeared onto a nearby table, hands wandering to skin. 


“You’re so hott, mama…” he whispered.”


“Shhh” she answered as they tore at each other’s shirts, desperate to get them off. 


It was primal. There were no pleasantries, just two people who were driven by attraction. 


Moving away from their now discarded clothing, JC lifted her as she began to unhook her bra. 


Hannah’s mind raced. This wasn’t quite like her. She had hooked up before, but never with someone so high profile. “Think like a man” had been her MO since her last few failed attempts at real relationships. Instant pleasure suited her much better with her schedule, and she never seemed to get any complaints from her partners about it. As far as she was concerned, men mainly wanted one thing, so why not just go with it and own her own path in life?


She found herself in a bedroom. It smelled like cologne. In one motion she was on the bed, blue eyes and arms on top of her. 


He moved his lips down her neck as his hands grazed lower to grip her hips. She let out a moan as he nipped at her breast, playfully moving around her nipple.


Reaching up, she grabbed the bulge that had formed in his boxer briefs and massaged in turn. 

Moving away from her body briefly, he peeled them off quickly and crawled back on top of her, this time moving her panties aside to cup between her legs, smiling as he felt her already ready for him.


“Take those off…” he growled, his voice smooth gravel.


Arching her back slightly. She slid them down effortlessly and kicked them off the bed.


As she settled back down, her hands found his lower back, bringing him back down closer to her.


Grinning, he took her wrists in one hand, pinning them above her head as his other slid around and just above her butt to enter her.


She gasped as she felt him, her body responding immediately to his.


Secret weapon, indeed.

 

Chapter 2 by IvyVega


Hannah tiptoed around the room as she pulled herself together. As she grabbed her bag, she searched for a mirror to check her hair and makeup. She was convinced she looked a mess.


She silently cursed herself for falling asleep. Spending the night was something she tried not to do as a general rule.


She rubbed a smudge under her eyes as she heard him walking up.


“Shit,” she whispered to herself.


“MMMHey...Good morning…” he smiled as he lazily looked over at her.


“Morning,” she offered a weak smile.


“Heading out?” he smirked. It was a move he knew well.


“Yeah um...Last night was fun,,”


He smiled “Uh huh...Wanna leave me your number, honey?”


She blushed “Oh uh...Yeah let’s not...You don’t have to do that.”


Jc raised his eyebrows “Alright….well uh...Need me to call a car or something?”


“I got it...Thanks.” she nodded.


“Get home safe…” he smiled. 


It was awkward. They both felt it. Morning afters usually were. He knew enough not to make it worse. 


She offered him one last smile...more of a satisfied smirk, and made her way out.


Smiling, he sighed as he rolled onto his back. 


“Another interesting night…” he shook his head at himself.




Hannah turned her key carefully and slowly, pushing the door open slowly to avoid its tell-tale creak. 


She had barely set foot inside when a voice sent her jumping in her own skin.


“HEY HEY Party girl!” Jade teased from the couch as she sipped something from a mug.


Hannah grabbed her chest “JESUS, Jade…”


Jade laughed and glanced at the time on the cable box before surveying her roommate in last night’s clothes. “10 am, huh? Gonna take a wild guess that you had quite a night…”


Hannah sighed “Can we not do this?” 


Jade smirked “I’m almost getting used to it…”


“What does that mean?”


“HANNAH...RELAX...No judgement! I live vicariously…” she gestured dramatically. 


Hannah rolled her eyes. “Nothing stopping you, ya know…”


Jade shook her head “I don’t need to be known as a party girl before I eve…” She stopped herself, considering the implication of her statement “...Sorry Han...You know what I mean…”


Hannah nodded “I get it...I, however, don’t have to worry what people think of me.” She stuck her tongue out at her friend.


Jade smiled “Sooooo…?”


“Sooo What?” Hannah asked.


“Oh come ON, girl...You left with one fifth of *NSYNC...I get NOTHING? No details at all?”


Hannah laughed “He USED to be in *NSYNC...and...No...I’m a lady…” she teased over her shoulder as she made her way to her bedroom.


“HANNAH RAE MARTIN, YOU BRAT!” Jade followed her down the hall.

Hannah stared at Jade as she sat on her bed. “It was fun. Secret weapon rumors are true…” She wiggled her eyebrows.


“Oh my Gooooood…” Jade squealed “Jesus girl…” she shook her head. “You gonna see him again?”


“Probably not” Hannah shrugged “Didn’t exchange numbers or anything. It was just for fun.”


Jade sighed “One day someone’s gonna break you, girl...You can’t keep that wall up forever…”


“I can and I will” Hannah replied matter of factly “It’s easier. No one gets hurt.”


“Whatever you say, girl...Well...Next round in two weeks?”


“What?” 


Jade bit her lip. “There’s a thing at Eric’s house…”


“No…”


“HANNAH come ONNN...You know I hate going alone…”


“So find a date.”


“I have one...You!”


“Jade...people are gonna start to think we’re together…”


“Not if you keep leaving with pop stars…” she winked. 


Hannah rolled her eyes and laughed “UGH Fine...now go away...I need a nap.”


“Oh I’ll BET you do…” Jade teased.


**


Hannah shuffled out of the town car to follow Jade. She stared at the house in front of them.


“Well this looks suitably douchey…” she remarked.


Jade swatted at her and laughed. “Stop!” 


“I’ll be nice...Why are we here again?”


“It’s someone’s birthday.”


“Whose birthday?”


Jade bit her lip. 


“What?” Hannah asked.


“So I SWEAR I didn’t realize when I got the invite…”


“Jade…”


“It’s….JC...It’s JC’s birthday.


Hannah’s eyes went wide “TELL ME you are kidding…”


“I didn’t know!”


“I’m going to look...like a stalker…” Hannah sighed.


“No! You are here with me...Come on, it’s fine he knows we live together...He knows you’re my best friend…”


“He knows what I look like naked…” Hannah finished.


“That was YOUR choice…”


“Jade I’m gonna go...This isn’t my scene, anyway…”


“HANNAH COME ON! You know I don’t like coming to these things alone….PLUS what if I book a job?...Then you will look back on these hangouts fondly…” she pouted.


“EPIC guilt trip, Jade…” Hannah rolled her eyes. 


“Did it work?”


Hannah gave her best friend a tired look “Yeah...Let’s go…”


Jade clapped her hands together “Yay!”


The two women made their way to the backyard, where the party was already in full swing. Their arrival went mostly unnoticed, as they searched out where to get a drink. Spotting the bar, they made their way over, getting stopped by none other than Eric himself.


“JADE...Sweetie! You made it!”


“Hi Eric!” she smiled, offering him a short hug as he kissed her cheek.


Hannah’s skin crawled. 


“Hannah, hey there...You look nice tonight…” He surveyed her modest black maxi dress with subtle ruffle detailing. The August night had left her no other choice than to forego pants. Her silver, chandelier earrings with flecks of jewel-tone and hair up in a neat bun accented the look.


“Thank you.” She faked a smile. 


He gestured to the two drinks in his hand. “Well ...Make yourselves at home. Plenty to eat and drink. Gotta get this back to the birthday boy. Jade, my love...Let’s chat later!”


“Sure thing!” Jade smiled. “I’ll find you in a few…”


“To the whiskey!” Hannah sped up to the bar. Jade shook her head and giggled, following her best friend. 




Two and a half drinks in, Hannah and Jade had actually spent most of the night chatting and dancing around the party. 


“I should probably mingle a little….Find the birthday boy and say hi…” Jade smirked. 


Hannah looked just beyond Jade to something behind her.


“THAT birthday boy?” she pointed with her eyes.


Jade twisted her neck to look behind her. JC sat at a modern patio set, slightly hooded eyes, flanked by two women hanging on his every word. He looked relaxed, casually dressed in well fitted jeans, a black graphic tee, and a simple black fedora.The male portion of the posse sat perched on the matching lounge chairs, engaged in the same conversation, occasionally managing a look from the pre-occupied women.


Jade laughed lightly “Well looks like his night is going well...I’m gonna go say hi...You wanna join me?” she gave Hannah a suggestive look.


Hannah shook her head “I’m good. Gonna roam. Have fun…”


Jade shook her head “Sure you’re gonna be ok.”


“I’m a big girl...And I think I saw cheese on that table over there…”


Jade laughed and held up her phone “You know how to find me…”


Hannah nodded and winked at Jade, slightly tipsy herself “Mmmhmm...Go be a movie star…”



Hannah walked around the huge yard, mostly admiring the view as she nibbled on her plate of party food. She managed conversation with a few people whose faces she recognized, not knowing all of their names. She was good at making friends. Maybe that’s why Jade liked bringing her to these things. 


She sat on a deserted bench, just out of range of the center of activity as she sipped her drink. She had just popped a cheese cube in her mouth when a voice joined her.


“Tired, already?’ A scruffy face with light brown hair greeted her, sitting just next to her.


“Just enjoying the view…” Hannah smiled and looked out toward the Hollywood Hills.


“Not from around here?” the man chuckled slightly.


“I am” Hannah challenged him “You have to stop and appreciate the simple things sometimes…”


He studied her, amused. “I’m Andrew...Andy…”


“Hannah…” She raised her glass in greeting.


“You look like you could use another drink, Hannah...Can I help with that?”


Hannah sighed softly. “Sure.”


He was cute. She was bored. Following him back to the bar, they talked and drank. He was a record executive at Jive. He looked the type. Tailored pants and a chic button down to a party. Shined loafers and dress socks. In the middle of August in Los Angeles. He smelled expensive and floated between disinterested and effortlessly charming. 


“So your friend...She any good?” Andy continued the conversation


“She is! I think she’s close to getting a break...I can’t wait for the world to know who she is.” Hannah smiled.


“Well she’s got the look for sure...Too bad she isn’t a singer...Might be able to help…” He took a sip of his drink.


Hannah shrugged “Her voice isn’t terrible…”  


Out of the corner of her eye, she caught the face that matched the laugh she was hearing.


He threw his head back as the corners of his eyes crinkled. He was standing with Jade and a couple other people she didn’t recognize. Industry types, no doubt. She caught herself staring and looked down quickly when his eyes turned to the side, catching hers. He smirked, glancing quickly between her and Andy.


“Uh...Thank you for the drink...Would you excuse me?” she turned her eyes to Jade by way of explanation.


Andy followed her look “Uh...yeah...Yeah no problem...See you later maybe?”


“Maybe…” she smiled “Have a good night…”


She should really say “Happy Birthday,” right? Be rude not to. 


“Hannah! There you are!” Jade chirped. “Where you been, girl?”


Hannah smiled “Uh just ..mingling..” she shrugged. 


She looked toward JC. “Happy Birthday,” she said politely.


“Thanks, mama…” he tipped his drink in her direction.


Jade giggled under her breath. “UH...I need another drink...Excuse me..” she smirked as she walked off. 


Instigator.


The other two people Hannah had not recognized were engaged in a conversation of their own, leaving her alone with JC.


“I see you met Andy..”


“Uh...Yeah, I guess...Friend of yours?”


JC snickered and took a sip of his drink “Not exactly…”


Hannah shuffled on her feet. “Um...Okaaay...He seems nice, anyway...Friendly…”


“Uh huh” JC smirked.


“ANYWAY, uh...Having a good birthday?”


He smiled at her through slightly hazy eyes  “It may have just gotten better…” 


“Oh yeah?” Hannah snickered, a little past tipsy now. 


JC bit his lip lightly and looked her up and down. “Definitely…”


Hannah blushed against her will. “Uh...Well can I get you a birthday shot?”


JC grinned at her, before gesturing in front of him “After you…”



Downing his shot of Basil Hayden, JC winced slightly and turned to Hannah “Thank you…”


She giggled “Not a big whiskey guy, huh?”


He blushed a little “I like it...More a  wine or beer guy…”


“Red wine is nice…” Hannah offered. 


“Whiskey girl, though...It’s impressive…” JC smiled at her.


Hannah shook her head before licking a bit of whiskey remnant from her lips “You already got me in bed, Chasez...You don’t have to throw lines at me…”


JC grinned “Damn...you don’t miss a beat, huh?”


Hannah sighed “I’m honest. Saves everyone time…”


JC nodded. “Well...in the spirit of honesty...I wouldn’t mind you in my bed again…”


Hannah stared down at her empty shot glass, a smirk finding her lips as she avoided looking at him. “Repeats aren’t...usually my thing…”


JC smiled, leaning back on the bar a bit. He was feeling confident. There was no way he had imagined how good she was two weeks ago. From his side, she had enjoyed it quite a bit, too.”


“Well...Something to consider,” he gave her a polite smile before walking off.

 

Hannah shook off a smile as she watched him walk away. Damn, he really was HOTT.

Chapter 3 by IvyVega
Author's Notes:

Another short one, but Chapter 4 will be along shortly...I promise!

JC scanned the yard as he willed himself to take another sip of his drink.


The crowd had dwindled, leaving only a handful of guests. He smiled as he spotted Jade talking to Eric, Hannah sitting next to her trying to look interested.


She looked good. REALLY good. A few stray hairs had fallen out of her bun to frame her face, leading his imagination to the thought of messing it up even more. She wasn’t trying to impress ANYONE, which had the opposite effect on him. 


He silently laughed at himself. In nearly every interview of his career, he had boasted about liking confident girls, but that wasn’t always the type he ended up leaving with. It was even more rare for him to get a second chance with a woman like that.


She looked bored; ready to go home. A great friend, he thought. He smirked at Jade’s enthusiasm. He had to give it to her, the girl could network. It was clear, however, that Hannah had no interest in promoting herself. He thought back to the first night he met her.


A writer. That’s it. THAT’S how she tells her story. He wondered what she wrote about. If their time together had been any indication, she must have a LOT to say.


It was his turn to get caught staring. 


Hannah looked up almost suddenly, answering his stare with a lazy smile. 


Damn, she was cute…


“You ok, birthday boy…?” she teased, loud enough to distract Jade and Eric. 


“Ya good, bro?” Eric chuckled, oblivious to JC’s gaze on Hannah. 


“Little tired..” JC managed, walking over to sit next to Hannah.  He noticed the shift in her body language as he settled in. 


Jade laughed “Getting old, huh?


“Big 3-1...Almost time for a walker…” JC teased back. 


Hannah laughed “Hardly…” 


JC’s eyes danced as they looked to her. Was the whiskey talking or was she?


Jade grinned and looked between the two of them. 


“Han...it IS late...Wanna get going?”


Hannah nodded. “Probably a good idea…” She turned to JC “Happy birthday again...GREAT party…”


The sarcasm was dripping from her mouth, served up just enough for him to understand it. 


He grinned and looked toward Eric “Can’t take credit…” 


Eric raised his glass “Only the best…”


Hannah turned her head to roll her eyes, digging for something in her bag and then sliding her hand closer to JC. 


Confused, he slid his own in its direction as Hannah got up to join Jade in exit. 


Goodbyes were said as both women left, and JC felt the piece of paper in his hand. 


Flipping it over, he read: A phone number with a short note.



“Something to consider...Jade never stays up late…”


A smile crept across his lips. DEFINITELY not shy.




JC closed the door to the car, giving the driver the address as he stared at the text exchange from a few minutes prior on his phone.


JC:...So how late does she stay up.


Hannah: She’s already in bed. Door closed. 


JC: Interesting...and what should I do with this information.


Hannah: Whatever you wish. Use your imagination.


JC: ...Are you a little bored, Hannah?


Hannah: Maybe

JC: Lonely?


Hannah: Maybe


JC: I think I might be able to fix that.


Hannah: And how is that?


JC: Better to show you in person


Hannah: 5115 N Lankershim Apartment 3C. 


JC: Be there in 20…



JC stood outside her door. This was weird for him. It was kind of exciting. He had texted her he was there, not wanting to wake up Jade. He heard the lock and smiled as the door opened. 

She had taken her hair down. The bun had made it a little wild, but no less sexy. She ran a hand through the strands that fell in her eyes. “Hi…”


“Hey..” he spoke almost in a whisper.


“Well come in..” she laughed softly, stepping aside so he could walk through the door. 


JC glanced around the apartment. “Nice..”


Hannah smiled “Uh huh. You want a tour or…” Her hands went to his waist as she looked up at him.


“Or…” he teased, running his hand up her arm to pull her closer. He bent down to kiss her, feeling no hesitation as she kissed him back.


Pulling away, he grinned. “I thought repeats weren’t your thing.”


Hannah shrugged “Neither are pop stars but here we are…”


JC snickered “Looking for bragging rights, Hannah?”


“Nope. Already got those, didn’t I…” she raised a brow at him. 


A low growl in his throat, he took her lips back into his, finding her tongue with his as his hands traveled south to her lower back. 


Her hands traveled up his back as his teeth found her neck. This was almost too easy.


A light gasp left her mouth as he nipped at her skin. He stopped for a moment.


“Is this not your thing either, mama?”


“Shut up…” she hummed as she pulled him back to her neck. 


He obliged and went back to aking his way down her neck, traveling to her shoulder.


“Second door on the right.” Her voice came out in whispered breath.


“What?”


“My room….second door on the right…” she repeated, grabbing his hand to pull. 


He loosened his grip, following her through the hall. 


“Shhhhh” she turned around, placing a finger to her lips “We can’t wake her up…”


He nodded silently, repeating her gesture with a finger to his own lips.


Inside her room, they found each other again, their mouths in a frantic rhythm. 


Their clothing seemed to disappear in record time, leaving her in a matching purple panty set, and him in his boxer briefs. 


JC let his instinct take over, lifting her as he found the nearest wall. 


Holding her close to him, he used one hand to push down her panties, sliding until they fell to the floor. Pushing her against the wall, he pushed his hips into her, drilling her with his eyes. She found her strength, holding on to him with one arm, and mimicking his move before to push his underwear down. 


Kicking them aside softly, he adjusted her against him. Her arms went around his neck as he pushed her harder against the wall, pulling her legs to wrap around his waist. 


Finding his way into her, she sucked in a breath and let it out slowly. Grinning, he started to move slowly as she clung to him. 


“Mmmm harder” she purred through closed eyes. 


Taking her direction, he slammed into her with force, causing her eyes to pop open as a slight giggle left her mouth. She nodded.


“Yeah...like that…”


Grinning against her neck, he continued to thrust, moving slightly faster. He felt her hands dig into his neck, grasping for both support and pleasure all at once. His hands found her backside, squeezing back as he kept up his rhythm. Her lips found his in a greedy kiss and he felt his control start to slip. He heard her start to pant as her body bucked in response. 


“Ahhuhhh...Jaaccceeee….” she struggled to finish his name as she reached her climax. He followed soon after, gripping her tighter so she didn’t fall. 


Resting his forehead against hers, he opened his eyes to find hers still closed, a casual smile on her face. 


“What did you just call me…?” he whispered.


Hannah chuckled breathlessly. “What…?”


“Jace...You called me Jace…”


“I..wasn’t trying to…” Her breathing had started to return to normal. 


“...I like it... “ he smirked. 


Hannah smiled “Don’t get used to it…”


“Hmmm...right…” JC replied playfully.


Sliding her carefully down, Hannah smoothed down her hair, making her way to a robe hanging on a hook above her door. Tying it closed, she picked his jeans up off the floor, tossing them toward him.


Catching them with an amused look on his face, she spoke.


“You want a glass of wine?” 


JC smiled “Sure.”


“K. Put those back on. I’ll be right back…”  


She made her way out of the room, closing the door quietly.


Running a hand through his hair, JC let out a breath…


“DAMN…”


Sitting on her bed, they sat talking about nothing in particular as they sipped their wine.


“Can I use your number again…?” JC asked. 


“As long as you don’t get the wrong idea…” Hannah took a sip of her wine.


“What does that mean?” JC took a sip of his own.


Hannah smiled and sighed “This is just...I don’t date…” 


JC grinned a sly smile “...A bit presumptuous, are we..?”


Hannah laughed “Just...being honest.”


“Mmm...That honesty thing again, huh….Well...Not a problem. Noted.”


Hannah patted his leg playfully. “Good...Then. Yes. You can use it.” she shrugged. 


“So repeats are your thing now?” He teased. 


Hannah blushed “I can make an exception…”


JC smiled, moving his head to her neck.


Hannah giggled. “Greedy...Sun’s gonna be up soon…”


JC sighed “Guess I should go before Jade wakes up.”


She nodded. “To be continued...maybe…”


JC’s eyes danced as he stood and placed his empty glass on her nightstand. “Maybe…Goodnight Hannah” 


“Good MORNING, JC…” she replied.

 

He shook his head in a smirk, grabbing his hat. One last sigh, he made his way to leave.

Chapter 4 by IvyVega
Author's Notes:

Hi dear readers!

 

Just a note that this story is exploring different moments in time between Hannah and JC.

 

I hope the progression makes sense, but feel free to ask if you need to. :)


HANNAH 


Hannah woke up to the faint sound of music. She turned over to glance at the clock on the nightstand. Almost noon. She had a brief moment of panic before remembering it was Saturday.


He was in the studio. She knew the difference between that and a radio by now. She sighed and took a moment to stare at the ceiling. They should really talk. She knew they weren’t going to. Not about what needed to be talked about, anyway. 


As soon as she made her presence known, there would be a silent kiss greeting, maybe an “Are you hungry?” They would go about their day, orbiting each other until it was time for dinner, eventually ordering from somewhere and maybe sharing a bottle of wine. 


It was safe. It was predictable. It was going nowhere. 


Summoning her motivation, she pulled the comforter off of her body and rolled out of the bed. Shuffling to the walk-in closet that had slowly become mostly hers, she pulled on a robe and tightened the bun that had come loose on her head.  


She had basically moved in. Basically. Not officially. Her apartment she now lived in alone sat empty most days, but he hadn’t actually invited her to live with him yet. 


Slipping on a pair of slides, she made her way downstairs. Coffee. Coffee was the one thing she knew she needed. 


While she worked on the french press, she hummed along to the melody coming from the studio and caught herself. A hard habit to break. It wasn’t even a real song yet, but she always harmonized while he worked. He thought it was cute. Another thing that kept her there. Another distraction from reality. 


The music stopped and she heard the studio door open, followed by the slight creek of the wooden hallway floor. 


“You’re up…” he smiled. 


“Not yet...Caffeine first…” she smirked. 


He walked behind her, placing his hands gently on her shoulders as he kissed the top of her head. She closed her eyes, comforted by his touch, but aware his lips were on her hair instead of her mouth. 

“Smells good. That the hazelnut?”


“Yeah...Want some?”


“Thank you, babe…” 


“You gonna be in there all day?” Hannah nodded toward the studio.


He sighed “Yeah...Most of it anyway, probably...Really trying to finish this track by Monday. Deadline is Tuesday, but ya know...edits and stuff…”


She nodded as she set the french press down to brew. “Gotta meet the Chasez standard.”


He shrugged “I am who I am…Plans today?”


She held both arms out to her sides “You’re looking at ‘em. I dunno...Maybe I’ll call Jade...see if she can squeeze me in for lunch. I think they are on a filming break right now.”


JC smiled almost sadly “Did you finish your draft?”


Hannah was trying not to think about the 200 pages she owed her editor. She had finally nailed down a topic and plot for her first book release, but a major case of writer’s block had set in. 


She sighed “Almost. I think I need to take a day off. Between work and the book…” 

She was lying. She had written 50 pages, if that. 


JC nodded. “You’ll get there. I know you will…”


Hannah finished the coffee and poured two cups.


“I’m gonna get back to it...Have an amazing day, honey…” He kissed her quickly before walking back down the hall to his cave.


Hannah watched him go.


Not so long ago, morning coffee would have ended a lot differently. Her mind wandered to a different time...




“Gonna get going?” JC teased, mischief in his eyes, as he propped himself up in the bed next to her.


She smirked, crawling closer to him to bring his lips to her own. “I’m a VERY busy woman, ya know…”

“Uh huh...You’re also a very naked woman...who doesn’t seem to be rushing to get dressed…”


“That’s because someone ripped my clothes off last night…” she smiled slowly. 


“What an asshole…” he teased, shaking his head for effect.


Hannah laughed as he snaked his arm around her. 


“I might need some coffee...maybe an egg…” she shrugged with a soft smirk.


“Mmmm...Mmmhmm...two cups…” he mumbled as he pulled her in for a deep kiss. 



Hannah brushed a strand of hair out of her way as she flipped through the paper in front of her. 


“You look pretty comfortable, Miss busy…” JC grinned.


Hannah blushed “Sorry...Occupational hazard...COFFEE. FOCUS. “ she looked at him. 


“Mama...Coffee is NOT what I am focused on right now…”


“Oh yeah…?” she teased , running her foot slowly up his leg under the table. 


He grinned and ran his hand up her calf and back down. “Yeah...Come here and I’ll show you.”


Hannah smiled, standing up to walk to him. Leaning in for a kiss, he pulled her onto his lap.


“Is this like Santa...Do I get whatever I want?” she grinned.


Loosening the tie to her robe, he began kissing down her neck. 

“Whatever you want…”


He pushed the robe down as she shrugged it further down her arm, turning around to straddle him. 


“In that case…” She slid her hand down to the elastic of his boxers, tugging them down as far as she could get them. She slipped her robe all the way off, dropping it to the floor to reveal its all she had put on before coming downstairs. 


JC grinned as he ran his hands up her stomach to her chest, pausing to pull off his shirt and kiss her from lips to chest. He stood just enough for Hannah to drop his boxer briefs to the floor before pulling her further into his lap. Pressing his body against hers as she moved closer, his tongue made a careful rhythm in her mouth as he found his way into her.  


Arching her back, Hannah let her head fall slightly back away from his lips, settling in to the satisfaction. A low whimper escaped her as she started to move to meet his pace.


“Oh God...Jaccccce…” she breathed.


He grinned, picking up his pace. No one else was allowed to call him that, and it always surprised him just how much it drove him wild coming from her like that.


Holding her own body to keep it against his, she found it harder to control her breathing as she got close. She felt his muscles flex and contract as his finish approached.


“AHHHH HA-NNAH…” he grunted as he let go. 


She let herself surrender, matching his release. 

Catching her lips in a kiss, his breathing was heavy. She could feel her own heartbeat in her chest.


“I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of that, mama…”


She grabbed his face, fingers on cheeks “You need to stop calling me that…” she smirked.


He bit his bottom lip as he grabbed her ass with both hands “Make me…”


Hannah grabbed his hands, pulling them off as she got up and kissed him quickly  “Later..Gotta get to work.” She smiled playfully at him “Maybe next time…”


Next time. How many times would that be? Both of them had lost count. 


Still, no promises had been made. Hannah had no idea what he did between their visits, and quite frankly, she didn’t care. They were exactly what each other needed...when they needed it.


****


THE MIDDLE


“Hannah...HANNAH...Earth to Hannah…” 


A voice ripped her from her stare at the screen in front of her.


“What?...Oh sorry...What’s up?”


Jenny shook her head, grabbing a seat in the chair next to Hannah’s desk. “What’s with you, girl? Late night?”


Hannah blushed a little “Kind of...Sorry...Here now...What can I do for you?”


Jenny giggled a little “Came to check on how the layout edits are going. Deadline is today, ya know…”


Hannah smiled “You’ll have it in an hour. Maybe sooner.” 


She pointed at her screen “Finishing it up now.”


Jenny nodded. If there was one thing Hannah NEVER dropped the ball on, it was her job.


“Thanks. NOW...About this late night…” she leaned forward on her elbow and spoke quietly.


Hannah rolled her eyes. “You need to get out more, Jen…”


Jenny agreed “I really, REALLY do…” She held up her left hand. “Old married lady...COME ON..Give me some excitement.” 


Hannah laughed “Not that thrilling.”


Jenny studied her “You’ve been tired a lot lately, though...OH MY GOD HANNAH Are you seeing someone? Is he cute?”


Hannah sighed “I’m not...SEEING...anyone...But yes...He’s pretty hott…”


Jenny almost choked “Okay, bad girl...Damn, you’re brave.”


“Brave?”


“Yeah, brave! I mean...You clearly go for what you want. “


“I just keep it simple,” Hannah shrugged.


Jenny leaned back to place her hands matter-of-factly on her legs. “Well ...Good for you, girl!...Let me know when those edits are ready…”


“Will do.” Hannah smiled.


***


Hannah carefully buttoned the last button on her shirt, pulling her hair from the back of the collar and fluffing it a bit. Bedhead was probably unavoidable, but she could at least try.


Afternoons were new for them, but it had been a rare uneventful weekend for them both.


“You want coffee or something?” JC asked casually as he pulled his t-shirt back over his head.


“Uh...That’s ok...I’ll probably grab some on my way home….” Hannah smiled.


She watched the expression on his face change; thoughtful, cautious. 


“Hey what if we ...grabbed something to eat?” JC offered.


“Um…” Hannah let out a heavy breath. She was hungry. He was perfectly respectful. It’s not like she couldn’t have a meal with a man without incident. Still, it made her a little nervous. “What...did you have in mind.”


JC shrugged. “I dunno...Few places down the street...or we could order in…”


Hannah took a minute to think, considering how well he’d be able to hide if we were out with a woman.


“...Would you feel safer ordering in?” Hannah studied him.


JC smiled, blushing a little “Kinda...Yeah…”


Hannah gave him a half smile “Okay...We can do that…”


JC returned her smile, appreciative of her consideration “Cool...Uh...Pizza?” he suggested. 


“No onions…” Hannah teased.




JC took a sip of his beer, letting her swallow the bite she had just taken before continuing the conversation they were having. “So all your life in LA, huh?”


Hannah nodded “Yep. Born and raised. Closer to Orange County, but ya know...borderline…”


JC nodded. “Not many natives left here...You never wanted to leave?”


Hannah smirked. He was easy to talk to. He had kind eyes and though she had never planned to get to know him more, she was having a good time. 


“I did...for a little while...Did a college semester in Arizona...Wasn’t for me…”


“Arizona, huh?”


Hannah nodded “Yeah...My dad lives there...Figured it would be nice having him close...Uh...Broken home…” She took a sip of her beer.


JC’s brow furrowed a little “Ah...Well me too...Kinda…”


“Kinda?” Hannah questioned.


“I’m adopted...It’s...complicated.”


Hannah looked at him, mid pizza bite “Really?”


“Yep…” he took a bite of his own slice. 


Hannah smiled softly “Divorced. “


“Daddy’s girl?” JC teased.


Hannah snorted “Guilty. Nickname and everything.”


JC’s eyebrows lifted, amused “Oh yeah? What is it?”


Hannah blushed “...Annie...It makes no sense…” she laughed softly, her eyes lighting up.


JC grinned “Cute...Annie...Yeah I like that…”


“Your parents don’t call you JC, do they?”


He shook his head “Josh, mostly...JC just stuck from…”


“Right,” Hannah smiled. 


“I’m ...ok with Jace, too..” he teased. 


“Noted,” she smiled. 


“You uh...You want another beer?”


Hannah noticed the time on the cable box. They had been talking for an hour. If she left now, it was just a quick bite. If she didn’t...Was it a date? She looked back at him, noting the way his bicep flexed holding his beer. The curl in his hair that was fighting to break the styler he used to tame it. His calm expression as he waited for her to reply. What could a little more conversation hurt?


“Uh...sure..” Hannah smiled. “Maybe some water, too?”


JC smiled at her as he turned toward the kitchen “You got it...Be right back.”


Hannah sighed to herself as she watched him walk away. What was she doing…



Returning a few minutes later, he handed her an opened beer and a bottle of water. 


“Thank you,” Hannah smiled.


“Uh huh…” JC said, sitting back down on the couch. 


He grabbed the remote to turn on the tv.


“Are you a football person, or…”


Hannah laughed a little “You aren’t gonna make me watch the Raiders, are you?”


JC made a face “Hell no! Redskins all the way…”


Hannah smiled “I’m a Chargers fan...Kinda…”


JC laughed “I am ..SO...sorry…”


‘Hey they don’t always suck!” she shot back.


JC stared at her.


“Yeah...Ok…” she smirked.


She hadn’t figured him for a sports guy. It was refreshing. In this moment she didn’t see a boyband member or a famous person. He was just a guy...doing what guys do. Drinking beer and watching the game on a Sunday. She smiled and quietly watched the action onscreen, chuckling to herself as he reacted to a penalty call. 


After a few minutes, his phone buzzed. She watched him pick it up, scowling.


“Shit…” he looked over at her. “I’m so sorry...I have to make a call…”


“No worries,” Hannah reassured. “It’s your house…”


He held up a finger as he dialed and made his way to a quieter part of the house. “I’ll be back.”



JC headed into a spare room and growled when his call was answered.



“ANDY...Are you fucking KIDDING ME?”


“I’m sorry, man..I tried. I really tried. You know this thing has been like pulling teeth from the beginning.”


“Only because YOU guys have dropped the ball...Over and Over again…”


“I don’t know what to tell you, JC...The interest just isn’t there…”


“That’s bullshit and you know it…”


There was a sigh on the other end of the phone “Maybe if you weren’t so stubborn… HAD to make an album YOUR WAY, didn’t you..”


“I think I deserve at least that much…” JC countered.


“You can do whatever you want, dude...It never meant it was going to work out the way you wanted it to…”


“What about the single?”


“That’s still a go. I don’t see much of a point, honestly, but...We can still push that release…”


JC paused, rubbing his forehead. “Do that. “


On the other end, Andy let out a breath. “Fine. I will call you with more details later.”


“Looking forward to it,” JC said sarcastically before hanging up.



Making his way back to the living room, Hannah noticed the change in him.


“Is….everything ok?” she asked.


“Yep. Perfect.” JC answered, clearly lying. 


It wasn’t her place to pry. His eyes were DARK blue and his descent onto the couch was more of a crash than a sit.


“O-kay...Well they scored while you were-”


He had moved toward her faster than she had time to react, kissing her impulsively. 


Hannah pulled away quickly “You sure you’re alright?” she asked, eyes wide. She heard the tension in his breath. He was being more aggressive than usual, and she wasn’t exactly complaining. 


“Shut up…” he whispered, pushing her back against the couch gently as he pushed his lips back down on hers.

 

She smiled against his lips, feeling her pulse quicken. Yep. DEFINITELY not complaining...

Chapter 5 by IvyVega
Author's Notes:


 

JC scrolled his phone and sighed. Sitting outside at a cafe, he was trying to take his mind off the email chain full of roadblocks and bad news he had just read.

 

At least he had the single. The second single. All this time later.

 

His first single from his second album was supposed to be the beginning. An introduction to a  sophomore effort. Instead, it had ushered in another delay. 

 

This song felt more personal, more heartfelt. He had exposed himself, but would it pay off?

 

“Need another drink, handsome?” He looked up to see the waitress smiling at him. She was cute, probably around his age, maybe a year or two older. 

 

“Uh...Yeah that’d be great. Thanks..” he smiled politely back at her. 

 

She blushed slightly and stared a little as she grabbed his empty glass “Be right back.” 

 

There was an extra rhythm to her step as she walked away and JC shook his head to himself, out of her view.  He was used to it, but not sure if he would ever understand it. Even grabbing a casual bite to eat, there was always at least one woman who looked at him a certain way. Eyes that burned a hole into him. A flirty tone of voice. He always tried to be nice. 

 

He looked down as his phone began to ring, a slightly confused look on his face. 

 

“Hey J…” he clicked to answer. “What’s up?”

 

“Hey man...Just checking in. Been awhile.”

 

“Uh huh. How’s the tour going?”

 

“Good man...Good. Got some time off before Europe…”

 

“Yeah? You back in town, man?”

 

“For a couple weeks, yeah...Wanted to see if you wanted to grab dinner or something. Catch up.”

 

JC sighed. “That would be great, actually.”

 

“You good, C…” Justin’s voice shifted to concern.

 

“Yeah...yeah man...So where were you thinking…”

 

***

 

Justin and JC had opted for a quiet Italian dinner catchup, sitting in a dimly lit corner at the back of a well-known Los Angeles haunt. 

 

“So...REALLY...No conditions or anything?” Justin sat back in his chair.

 

“Completely casual, man…” JC confirmed. 

 

“Wow...Wow…” Justin reacted. 

 

JC smiled “Yeah it’s been uh...It’s been fun.”

 

“Dark hair? Brown Eyes?” Justin teased.

 

JC chuckled “Am I THAT predictable?”

 

“Yeah,” Justin laughed back. 

 

JC looked down to his phone, typing something and waiting for the page to load. He pulled up a Facebook profile photo and slid his phone across the table to Justin.

 

“This is her?” he asked.

 

JC nodded.

 

Justin’s eyebrows shot up as a smile found his mouth “Damn, C...She’s cute.”

 

JC smirked “Yeah...She is.”

 

“Ahhhh fuck..” Justin teased.

 

“What?” JC asked, suspicious.

 

“Are you gonna actually fall for this one?”

 

“What? No! No, we’re just having fun - She doesn’t do the whole relationship thing…”

 

Justin took a sip of his beer “So you’re sleeping with the female you…?”

 

JC gave him a look “Ha...ha…”

 

“Hey man look...Happy for you..Casual, not casual..Enjoy it.” Justin raised his beer for a cheers.

 

“Thanks, man…” JC clinked his beer with his drink.

JC’s phone buzzed, and Justin watched him grab it quickly, smiling as he opened a text message. 

 

“That her…?” Justin swallowed a swig of beer quickly.

 

“What?” JC looked up from his phone.

 

“Uh - HUH…” Justin mumbled under his breath, a sly grin on his face.

 

JC finished his reply and hit send, a slight blush on his face. 

 

“Gotta go?” Justin teased.

 

“Huh? Nah dude...Uh. Plans for later.”

 

“Right,” Justin smirked “Anyway...any progress on the album?”

 

JC sighed “Mannn...That’s ..a mess…”

 

“They STILL giving you the runaround?”

 

“Yep.” JC pursed his lips. 

 

Justin shook his head as he grabbed a piece of bread “Bullshit man...bullshit…”

 

“Yeah, well…” JC sighed “Single is still dropping, though…”

 

“GOOD,” Justin replied “It needs to be heard!”

 

“Let’s hope other people think so, too…”

 

Justin looked directly at JC this time “C...Look at me..You deserve this. You do.”

 

JC smiled “Thanks, J...Your mouth to God’s ears…”

 

Justin nodded “We should order...You got places to be later…” He winked at him suggestively.

 

JC shook his head and laughed. “Shut up, dude…”

 

**

JC smiled as wrapped his arms around her. She reached behind him to close the door, stretching up to kiss him.

 

“Um hi..” he chuckled.

 

“Hi..” she grinned. 

 

He looked down to her. She clearly had no plans to leave her apartment. It was 11 pm, and she looked the part. White cami with a neat pair of sweatpants that hung low on her hips. She was barefoot, but he could see a fresh pedicure and pale pink toes. Her hair still held gentle curls from the day, and her makeup had either recently been done, or just held up very well from whatever she had been doing earlier. She was sexy as hell without much effort.

 

She wrinkled her nose up at him “You smell like food…”

 

The corners of his eyes crinkled into a smile “Just had dinner…”

 

“Oh yeah? So am I number two for the night? “ she stuck her tongue out playfully at him.

 

“Uh huh...Justin knows what gets me going…” he smirked.

 

He watched her face twitch into a controlled reaction “Oh...Justin..?”

 

JC nodded “Yes...Justin. Timberlake.”

 

Hannah smirked “Thanks for clarifying...”

 

Jc chuckled “So should I leave and shower first or…” he took a step back toward the door. 

 

Hannah moved closer to him and tugged the bottom of his shirt “Eh...This is coming off, anyway…”

 

“Oh yeah? You sure about that…” He teased. 

 

Hannah shrugged “Well you can keep it on if you want, but...might be kinda weird…”

 

JC chuckled as he wrapped himself around her to kiss down her neck. Her hands gripped his back as she rolled her head into his lips. She giggled as he started to kiss harder.

 

He started to slide the strap of her cami down as they heard the lock on the door. Hannah startled away from him as the door opened and Jade walked in.

 

“Oh...shit...SHIT...Sorry…” She held her hands up, keys still in hand.

 

Hannah stared at her as JC put his head down, rubbing the back of his neck nervously.

 

“Early night…” Hannah stared at her pointedly.

 

“Uhhhh yeah...Early audition tomorrow…” Her eyes went to JC. “Hi JC…”

 

“Jade...” He flashed his eyes quickly up at her in acknowledgement, a bit bashful.

 

“UM...ANYWAY...I’m not here…” She started to walk backwards toward her room as she spoke to Hannah. “Carry on...Have a...Have a good night, guys…”

 

They watched her door close, JC speaking first. “You ok?”

 

“Yeah. Sorry. I didn’t know she’d be home so early.” She adjusted the strap of her cami.

 

“It’s fine,” he smiled. 

 

Hannah rubbed her neck where his lips had just been. The mood had clearly been broken. JC watched her amused. He hadn’t thought it was possible to embarrass this woman, but she clearly was. 

 

“Wine?” Hannah offered.

 

JC smiled softly “Sure…”



They sat quietly sipping, neither of them having said much. 

 

“So...Is that song still coming out soon?” Hannah broke the silence.

 

JC swallowed hard “Uh...what song?”

 

Hannah bit her lip “The single...You mentioned it...last time…”

 

“Oh,” JC answered, looking down at his glass “Um. Yeah. Next week…”

 

“...Can I hear it?” she asked cautiously.

 

“What, now?”

 

She nodded. “Yeah um...Sorry. My bad. I was...kidding”

 

He smiled, fishing his phone from his jeans “This is gonna be rough...phone and all…”

 

Hannah smiled “That’s ok…”

 

He sighed, pressing buttons until he found what he was looking for. “Keep an open mind, ok?”

 

Hannah rolled her eyes. “Like it’s gonna be bad…”

 

“What?”

 

“You have an amazing voice…”

 

“How do you know that?”

 

Hannah stared at him, laughing softly “Woman of a certain age, JC…”

 

He smirked, “Whatever…” He hit a button on his phone and Hannah quieted to listen to soft piano notes starting a romantic melody. He avoided eye contact as his voice started on the first verse. She said nothing as the song crescendod into the chorus. 

 

She was careful not to give anything away, watching him fidget ever so slightly the longer the song played.  She smiled as the the closing notes faded out. 

 

“That’s...absolutely gorgeous…” She looked at him with soft eyes that were greener than they had been.

 

JC blushed “Uh...Thanks…”

 

“I mean it, JC…’Heart Shaped Box’...Nirvana?” she questioned.

 

His eyes lit up a little and his posture changed. “Yeah…”

 

“Nice...I had no idea…”

 

JC smiled “..Cuz they aren’t pop?”

 

Hannah made a thoughtful face “Aren’t they, though…?”

 

JC grinned “Touche. That could be a whole argument/”

 

Hannah laughed. “Who’s it about?”

 

“My song?”

 

“No...Nirvana...YES...Your song…” Hannah answered sarcastically.

 

“Uhh...Someone...Something...that didn’t work out…”

 

Hannah nodded. “Fair enough.” She took a sip of her wine “You loved her.”

 

JC sighed, visibly affected. “I did...It’s a long story.”

 

Hannah offered a half smile “Well it made a great song…”

 

JC chuckled, brows raised “I guess so…” He brought his glass to his lips, considering his next question “And you?”

 

“What about me?” Hannah returned.

 

“Love. Have you ever been in love?”

 

Hannah looked down “Once or twice…”

 

“Not for you?”

 

She smirked “Well...I can’t write songs about it, so…”

 

JC nodded. He couldn’t help but smile. He understood her tone. She had been hurt. Probably pretty badly. He had been, too. There was an inherent understanding. It was new for him. She was guarded, but also a completely open book. It was magnetic.

 

On the other side of the couch, Hannah watched him in their pause in conversation. The lyrics in what she just heard were genuine. She had heard the honesty and emotion in his voice. She was briefly jealous of his ability to get things off his chest in musical form. Then she remembered her writing. Her own outlet, which truth be told, she was struggling to find time for lately. He was quiet and reserved, but also so full of life. The more she was around him, the more she found herself craving his energy. 

 

“So uh...You really like the song?”

 

She smiled “I really do...Can’t wait to hear it out in the world.” She took a sip of wine and then cocked her head to the side. “Hey what’s it called?”

 

“You Ruined Me,” he stated simply.

 

She drew in a sharp breath, chuckling softly. “Well damn, that’s definitely relatable…”

 

JC grinned “Broken hearts club?” He held up his glass in a toast.

 

Hannah giggled “Cheers.” She scooted closer to clink his glass and take a quick sip of hers. 

 

Taking a sip of his own wine and holding it in, he moved to hover above her mouth. Smiling to herself, she took his lips in hers, careful not to spill a drop of the slightly sweet liquid. He smiled against her as they set their glasses onto the coffee table and his hands went to her waist. Her hands instinctively traveled up his arms, placing one behind his head to pull him closer. 

 

He slid his hand up under her cami, moving to the cup of her bra to slide his fingers just inside it. Sliding his mouth to her ear he whispered “This is coming off, too…”


Hannah shifted to get comfortable as she came to. She felt the light of the morning as the last of sleep drifted away from her mind.  As she went to adjust her position, she felt warm skin on her own. Her hand felt up to JC’s arm draped casually around her waist, her lower back making contact with the top of his leg. She felt her pulse quicken. With wide eyes, she twisted herself carefully down and around to face him, realizing they were both still completely naked. 

 

JC slowly woke up as he felt his arm move up and down, a smile forming under ice blue eyes as his vision adjusted to see her. 

 

“Sorry,” she whispered. “I didn’t mean to wake you up…”

 

He looked down, running a hand down her hip to the top of her thigh “Mmm...Kinda glad you did…”

 

Hannah blushed, biting the bottom of her lip. She reached a cautious hand up his leg, resting it on the side of his hip. He stretched his leg out to twist hers into him, pressing his hips closer to her. Hannah let out a breath as she felt all of him against her. Her eyes shifted, and he could feel the twitch of her fingers as he moved.

 

JC softly grinned at her. “Hannah...Am I making you nervous?” It was a playful question, but a genuine one. Curiosity filled his face as he noticed her expression.

 

Hannah steadied herself, swallowing to calm her nerves, as she found her way to his chest, resting her head against it. She heard his inhale and felt him tense up slightly. 

 

Peering up at him, she answered “Am I making YOU nervous?”

 

JC nodded and bit the side of his lip as he considered his reply, “Very…”

 

Hannah’s eyes scanned his. She hadn’t been this intimate with a partner in a long time. Quietly skin to skin. Literally locked up in each other. Her heart and mind were racing, but she had no desire to run away, or to make him leave.

 

JC wondered if she could hear his heart beating faster, harder. He was almost dizzy with her that close. Like a panic attack he didn’t want to end. Why wasn’t he moving? 

 

He ran a hand in and down her hair, absentmindedly letting his fingers make twirls in her waves.

 

“Do you…need me to go…?” he whispered just above her head. 

 

Hannah shook her head against his chest, smiling into him before lifting her head to look at him again. “No...I don’t…”

 

He smiled, running his hand gently up and down her body once more, as he felt himself drift back to sleep.

Chapter 6 by IvyVega
Author's Notes:

Hi all!

 

Quick reminder that any time you see "JACE' or "HANNAH" we have moved ahead to the future. 

 

Enjoy!

JACE


“BABE…Can you come here?” 


JC stood opening and closing kitchen cupboards. Where the hell could they be?


“Yes?” Hannah appeared next to him. 


“Have you seen my glasses?” 


Hannah stared at him like he had 3 heads. “In the kitchen?”


JC sighed “YES in the kitchen. I’ve been leaving  them here so I know where they are when I come down to make coffee.”


Hannah tilted her head to one side “You’re aware that makes no sense, right?”


JC stared back at her “It works.”


“Riiiight… Anyway...They’re in your nightstand.”


JC huffed. “WHY would you move them?”


Hannah gave him a look “Because they were on the bathroom counter…”


“No they weren’t” he argued.


“Uh...Yes they were. Last night.”


“WHY would I leave them there?” he looked at her like she was crazy.


“Ummm...I have no idea, but that’s where I found them.”


He rolled his eyes “Why are you always moving my shit?”


Hannah raised her eyebrows at him “Um...It’s called putting stuff away…”


“In MY house?”


Hannah felt her blood pressure rise. “YEP. YOUR house...That you have no problem with me CLEANING...or cooking in…”


“I thank you for that stuff.”


She had crossed her arms. JC sighed as he saw the expression on her face change. She was there a lot. He didn’t exactly mind, but they had never actually discussed living together. It was just sort of happening. She seemed happy to still have her own place, though, didn’t she?


“You do? When was the last time…”


“Hannah…”


“No! Seriously. You expect it now…”


“I don’t expect it..We have...an understanding.”


“AN UNDERSTANDING?”  Her eyes were wider.


“Come on, Annie, stop...I don’t wanna fight. I can barely see you right now…”


Hannah spun on her heel before he could stop her, stalking off to the bedroom. When she returned, she threw his glasses at him “Here. I’ll never touch them again.”


JC sighed to pick up the frames that had bounced off his chest to the floor. Putting them on, he let out a controlled breath. 


“Can you see me now?” She quipped


“Crystal clear.” His jaw was tight.


“Thank you. For everything. I’m lucky to have you.” He recited in monotone.


“So romantic,” she squinted her eyes at him.


He raised his arms to let them drop exasperated “...What I’m known for…”


She shoved him back with a push “Don’t be an asshole, Jace…”


He steadied himself as he caught his weight on his back foot, catching her wrists. “Why not...You like it…”


“Nope,” she challenged him, not moving. He dipped his head, biting her ear lightly. “Yep. I’m an asshole. Punish me.”


Hannah felt a shiver down her spine as her body betrayed her resolve. She wrestled her wrists free, wrapping her arms around him to dig her nails into his back. He inhaled a sharp breath. 


“That hurts…” he smirked.


“I’m just getting started…” she teased. 


He let his hands grip her butt, crashing his mouth down onto hers, hungry for her kiss. Hannah pulled away after meeting his hinger, lips swollen and eyes wild. She ran a hand between his legs and squeezed.


“Waiting for my apology…” she whispered.


He grinned, biting his lip at her touch “I’m. Not. Sorry” he said between kissing up her neck. 


She tugged at his waistband, pulling him toward her “Then I’ll make you sorry…”


Without a word, he bent his knees to lift her over his shoulder. “Brave words, mama...brave words…”


Hannah bit her cheek as he carried her to the bedroom and threw her onto the bed. Ripping his shirt off over his head, he pounced to straddle her with his arms. “Do your worst…” he grinned.


Hannah grinned back, stretching up to kiss him before grabbing his arms to twist him under her. 

Crawling on top of him, she slid down his shorts as she settled in and started to move. 


As he reached out to hold her hips, she stopped him, shaking her head slowly. “Uh uh...No touching…”




More Middle

Hannah stared blankly at the tv, laptop in place. A rare weekend with nothing to do, she was determined to get some writing done. She had her idea. She just had to execute it.


She stared at her screen as she reviewed the new paragraph she had written for about the tenth time. Why was this so hard?


Behind her, she heard the clatter of heels as Jade made her way to the door.


“Hannah what time is it?” Jade called out as she move her bag higher up on her shoulder.


Hannah glanced at the cable box in front of her “Uh...1:23…”


“CRAP. I gotta RUN.” Jade sounded flustered.


Hannah laughed at her roommate. “Is this an audition or a callback, again?”


Jade smiled “SECOND callback...I have a good feeling about this one...primetime drama…” Her eyes were glowing.


“You got this, girl...Just  be your charming self...but GO…” Hannah teased.


“Okay okay…” She glanced quickly at Hannah, hair a mess, pajamas still on.


“You have any plans today...You gonna see a certain dreamy-eyed former pop star?”


Hannah rolled her eyes “I have work to do, Jade. I set aside all day to write...and I have NO IDEA who you are talking about…”


“Uh huh…” she smiled, “Really...No plans? I feel like that’s your weekend thing now…”


Hannah huffed “My weekend ‘thing?” Jade...I told you..It’s not a ‘thing.’ We are two consenting adults. That’s it.”


Jade smirked “Whatever...All I’m saying is if I had access to a guy that looked like that...I wouldn’t be in pajamas on a Saturday afternoon…” she teased.


Hannah stared at her. “You’re gonna be late, Jade…”


Jade giggled at her flustered friend “I’ll be home in a few hours...Warn me if I need to call first.” She winked before shutting the door behind her. 


Hannah sighed as she turned back to her computer. She closed her eyes, letting her mind focus on the task at hand. Free-write! That’s it! She would free-write and make sense of what her brain gave her afterwards. With new inspiration, she let her fingers tap away at the keys until she had written two pages of material. Taking a deep breath and looking down, she frowned at what she had written, groaning to herself as she read the last paragraph.



Blue as the ocean. The power of those eyes was not lost on her as she stared at him waiting for her answer. His arms were at her waist, anchoring her to her spot. Words escaped her.


“Gawd damn it, Hannah…” she shook her head at herself. This wasn’t supposed to be a romance novel. Sighing to herself, she picked up the phone. May as well get rid of this distraction. He answered in 4 rings.


“Uh...Hey…” he smiled into his phone.


She blushed hearing his voice, realizing she had dialed purely on a whim. “Um...Hi. What are you up to?”


“Working, actually...Uh..Working on a song.”


“Oh..OH! Sorry, uh...I was actually gonna see if you wanted to come by. Didn’t know you’d be busy…”


She could almost hear the grin in his voice “It’s fine...I was just messing around, anyway...What are you up to?”


She took a breath “I’m writing, actually...Not getting very far, though…”


“...What are you writing about…?”


“Well...Nothing...and everything. Part of my problem, actually...Thought a distraction might be nice…”


“A distraction, huh? What did you have in mind?”


“Wouldn’t you like to know…” she settled in.


“Well...I can think of a FEW things that would be ...QUITE distracting…”


“So can I...Care to share?” she smiled into the phone.


“Well, for starters, my last memory of you is pretty distracting…” he grinned as he sat back in his chair in his studio.


Hannah smirked “Oh yeah? What memory is that?”


His voice got low “Your body on mine…”


Hannah felt herself melt into her couch “Seems familiar...Go on…”


She heard a low chuckle on the other end “The way your skin felt in my hands…”


Hannah smiled “The way you felt inside me…”


JC smiled on the other end, thoroughly amused “You want me inside you right now, mama?”


Hannah let out a breath “Mmmm...maybe…”


JC bit the side of his lip, an idea crossing his mind. There was a brief pause before Hannah heard the quick sound of a piano, followed by a sweet melody. She listened as his voice sang through the phone, smooth as silk …


“I know that look in your eyes….I don’t wanna say goodnight….. Holld on, holllld on...is what I’m doing...so strong...so strong...is what I’m feeling…” He finished the melody on the piano before he spoke again.


“Maybe?” he teased


“You don’t play fair, Chasez…” she teased back.


“Like what you hear, Annie…?” he charmed.


“When did I say you could call me that?” she played coy. 


“You want me to stop….calling you that?” he asked carefully.


“I don’t want you to stop...anything…” she answered. 


“Wanna show me?” his voice was gravel now.


“...Maybe?”


JC grinned into his phone “Come over tonight…”




Hannah stared up at the wall as her heartbeat slowed, allowing one hand to rest on her stomach. She closed her eyes as his hand slid over her own. 


“Distracting enough?” he teased.


She felt herself sigh and giggle at the same time “It’ll do…,” she teased back.


“Hmmm...Maybe I’ll try harder next time.” He wrapped an arm around her to pull her closer and nip at her ear. She shifted to face him, studying his face.


“Hmm…” she smirked.


“What?,” a lazy smile found his face.


Hannah shrugged “You’re just...not what I expected.”


His brow raised “And what did you expect?”


“I don’t know. Women lined up. Definitely not this much conversation.”


He grinned “Line’s closed. Position’s been filled. And I like talking to you.”


Hannah laughed and shook her head “You’re free to do whatever you want, sir…”


He smirked “...and I am...often.” 


“Jace I..meant what I said, I don’t-”


“...Date. I know. I got it, Hannah...I get it…”  He looked into her eyes. 


“No...promises.”


“No promises.” he repeated, kissing her quickly. 


“Okay,” she let out a breath. “I should go…”


JC smiled. “You should, but are you going to?”


Hannah blushed “Am I?”


He grinned, moving to rain kisses on her neck. 


She giggled softly “Ok, OKAY...I give...I’ll stay.”


He smiled, running lazy fingers around her belly button. “Good...Because I wanna hear what you wrote today…”


Hannah smiled “Get me coffee in the morning...and we’ll talk…”


He gave her a half smile. “Deal...Goodnight, Annie…”


Hannah let the instant smile form from her lips “Goodnight, Jace…”



He rolled over, falling asleep quickly, leaving Hannah alone with her thoughts. She should have left. Leaving was easier. Leaving left things less complicated. 


Instead, she was wide awake. His face was burned into her brain. The thought of his voice sent electricity through her as she remembered how he touched her. She would never be able to forget him. It was too late. She wanted to know more about him, but also knew that would just complicate things more. 

 

She felt safe with him, and that raised her guard. He made her smile against her will, and that worried her. They had a rhythm now, and that terrified her.

End Notes:

** The song JC sang a bit of to Hannah is a real song he wrote for David Archuleta. It's called "Don't Let Go" and appears on his 2008 album. ** :)

Chapter 7 by IvyVega
Author's Notes:

...We continue in the middle. :)

Hannah sat quietly at the kitchen table, watching him as he finished the coffee. She was very aware of her appearance suddenly. She had woken up before him, careful to remove as much of her smeared makeup as she could. He had never really seen her with no makeup on. Not that it mattered. She had on yesterday’s clothes. Well, yesterday’s sweater, anyway. He had offered her sweatpants. They were too big on her, but they were comfortable. 


He smiled as he carried over two cups of coffee. His hair was a mess and the thick black frames of his glasses hid any signs of sleep on his face. 


“Um...Milk or…?” he asked, setting her cup down. 


She nodded “Whatever you have...and sugar?”


He turned back to the fridge, pulling out a carton of soy milk “Does this work?”


She giggled. “Yeah...That works...Kind of a hippy, Jace?”


He smirked and shrugged “Healthy or whatever…” he teased.


“Thank you,” she smiled, taking the carton from him. His eyes lingered on her. “What…” she asked carefully. 


“Nothing,” he smiled, taking in her face with nothing on it. She looked amazing, relaxed.


Hannah was taking in morning JC, as well. He ran a hand through his hair and sat down across from her, sipping from his own cup. 


“So...What are you writing about, Hannah?”


She smiled. “Straight to the point, huh?”


“You said coffee, so…” he raised his cup to her. 


She nodded. “Fair. Um…” she sighed “I don’t know yet...I mean I know what I WANT to write about. I’m just...stuck…”


“What do you want to write about?” he asked her, genuinely interested.


She chuckled “It’s weird…”


“Try me…”


“Well...Being single. A single woman in a world that...expects certain things of you. Needing a man, looking for a husband, being scared to be alone...What if...there are women who aren’t…” She took a sip of her coffee. 


JC’s eyes were dancing. “Like you?”


Hannah blushed and bit her lip “I mean...Kinda?”


JC shook his head. “You should own that, Hannah...It’s...refreshing.”


“Refreshing?” she laughed before returning to her coffee.


“Yes. You know who you are. You have goals that are just for you. You’re comfortable in your own skin.”


“God. I sound like a Meg Ryan movie…”


JC laughed, his eyes crinkling above his cup. “Meg Ryan’s kinda hott…”


She laughed back “You don’t think it’s...cliche?”


JC shrugged “Not if you don’t write it that way…”


Hannah studied him for a second. “How do you know if a song is...good or not?” she asked him.


His face warmed, every feature smiling “I don’t. I guess I just kind of ...Go with whatever comes out. They don’t all become real songs.”


Hannah smiled “Yeah...Yeah, that makes sense. The one you sang the other day...I liked it.”


“Yeah?” he grinned.


She nodded “Yeah. “


His eyes narrowed playfully. “You gonna say that about everything I let you hear? Flattery will get you nowhere, mama…”


Hannah smirked “Nope. Don’t really like ‘Everything You Want.’”


He almost choked on his coffee “You’ve...heard the album?”


She giggled  “Edited our review. One of my first assignments, actually…”


He sat back in his chair, highly amused “Is that right?” 


Hannah nodded.


“Why would you have to listen to the album to edit a column, Hannah?”


She shrugged, staring at him playfully. “Curiosity. I am a thorough journalist. I do my research.”


He smiled “Hmm...It would appear so…” His face twisted into a thought, pausing before he continued “I think it’s only fair I read some of your stuff, Hannah…”


She gulped her coffee down. “Oh, do you?”


He bit his lip “I do...I’ve shown you mine, so…show me yours…”


She blushed “I think I’ve shown you plenty, Mr. Chasez.”


“I wanna see more, Miss Martin…” he teased.


She shook her head. He was disarming. Sitting in his sweatpants, having morning coffee and chatting. She could get used to this. She didn’t want to, but she could. No rules. Maybe she should just enjoy herself. Not think about it so much. He was putting no pressure on her, and she had no plans to expect anything from him, either. Comfortable. She was comfortable. For the first time in awhile.


“That can be arranged, I guess.” she replied.


JC smiled. She was coy. Sure of herself. He soaked in the bits of her she allowed him to see. Every time he saw her another piece of the puzzle revealed itself. He was enjoying every minute of it. It was easy. She was fun. 


“Busy week ahead?”


She shifted to sit up a little more. “As always. Never a dull moment. Plus, it looks like I gotta edit some stuff for a blue-eyed reader,” she winked.


He smiled “Friday night…”


“What about it?” Hannah replied casually.


“Let me take you out…” he looked at her. 


Hannah froze. A date? Was he asking her out on an actual date? This definitely broke the rules. 


JC softened, taking her hand “Not like that, Hannah. Couple drinks. Maybe some dancing? Late night junk food?”


“Kinda sounds ‘like that,’ ” JC…” she pointed out.


He shrugged “Doesn’t have to be. I just wanna hang out with you, Hannah. Actually hang out.”


“Can you...do that?” she asked cautiously.


JC laughed, catching her meaning “I mean I’m not Justin…” 


Hannah couldn’t help but laugh. She sighed, her heartbeat pounding in her head. She was going to take the chance. “Okay…” 


JC smiled “Dive bar. How’s that? No pressure.”


Hannah relaxed a little “Sounds perfect.”


“I’ll call you with the details this week…”


Hannah took a deep breath. What was she doing?


***




Hannah had arrived at the bar early. She was nervous. Really nervous. She hated it. Nervous Hannah made mistakes. Nervous Hannah was girlier than she ever wanted anyone to see.


She had insisted they meet there.  

She reasoned that a pre-game drink might be a good idea to calm herself down. She had opted for a well fitted pair of bootcut jeans and her favorite V-neck top. It was a simple cut with a subtle colorful pattern. She was going for “laid back, but put together.” Hoop earrings, as usual. They were her comfort piece. Her hair was pulled back, eliminating the temptation to play with it. 


She sipped her whiskey ginger slowly from a stool at the bar, turning around from time to time to see if JC had arrived. 


She noticed the slightly older man next to her, casting her looks every few minutes, but did her best to ignore him, a polite smile as she waited. She was no stranger to dealing with men at bars, especially in Los Angeles


Her phone buzzed from her bag, and she smiled as she read his text.

 

“There in 5. So sorry! Traffic was a little crazy…”


The man next to her got a little closer, and she set her drink back down to make an obvious gesture of looking toward the bar entrance. As if on cue, She saw JC walk through the door.


Damn, he looked good. How did jeans and a button down work THAT well on a man? His hair was lightly styled, and his face looked just shaved enough to make an impression. 


Hannah smiled and got up to greet him. She felt a slight wave of dizziness as she made a quick mental note to order some water, chalking it up to her nerves.


“Hey…” She felt her knees buckle a bit and looked up to his concerned face.


“Uhhh...hey….You good?”


“Yeah I...Whoa...That was weird…” She shook her head quickly. 


“How long have you been here?” he smirked, wondering how many drinks she had in her.


“Not that…” she paused as her eyes started to glaze over.


“Hannah…” his eyes got wide. 


“Jace...I don’t feel good…” She let herself grip his arms as she struggled to stand.


“WHOA...Whoa…” he tightened his grip as his hands went to her waist to hold her up.


She looked up to stare at him in confusion just before he felt her go limp in his arms.


“Hannah...HANNAH...Shit...SHIT…” 


**

Hannah blinked her eyes open, a fog coming into focus as she tried to get her bearings. 

Gripping the side of a bed, she tried to identify her location. White walls, hushed voices, beeping machines. Her eyes wandered, and landed on a familiar face. Her head was pounding as recognition came to her slowly. His head was propped against the wall, eyes closed,  where he sat in an unforgiving chair. 


“...Jace?” she spoke, surprised by how tired her voice sounded. “JACE?”


He stirred, arms gripping the chair as he startled awake. His eyes peeled open, becoming wide when he saw her. “HANNAH..” He got up, meeting her at the side of the bed.


“Where am I...What happened…” Her breathing was quickened.


JC let out a breath “You’re in the emergency room… Looks like…” he winced “It looks like someone slipped you a roofie…”


Hannah’s eyes went wide “What?! WHEN? ...How…” Her confusion was evident as JC continued.


“At the bar last night...I should have gotten there sooner...Hannah I’m SO sorry…”


Hannah shook her head, making a face when it made her head feel worse, “No..No it’s not...Oww...Not your fault.”


“Just take it easy, ok? I’m gonna go find a doctor so we can get you out of here…”


“Jace…” she spoke softly.


“Yeah?”


“...What the hell are you wearing…?” Hannah was staring at the pale pink baseball hat on his head, an unfamiliar logo on the front. 


JC smiled slowly. “Uhhh...One of the nurses thought I might want some privacy…Had it in her locker, I guess…”


Hannah’s mouth twisted into a smile “THAT’S supposed to make you blend in?”


JC chuckled “It was a nice gesture…”



After a couple more tests and a final check, Hannah and JC sat as her discharge papers were being prepared. 


“You stayed the whole time?” She looked to JC.


He smiled “Of course. Wanted to make sure you were ok…”


Hannah smiled back “It’s a hospital, JC...They would have taken care of me…”


JC smirked “Not my style to bail on people, Annie…”


She blushed “Thank you…”


“You’re welcome.”


Hannah studied him, his eyes bluer than usual. 


“Why are you looking at me like that?” she stared at him.


“...Like what…” he bluffed, his mouth stuck in a lazy smile


She squinted at him, a warning, “JC Chasez, you look like you like me…”


“...What if I do…?”


She sighed and shook her head as much as she could, a smile pulling at the corners of her mouth “That’s not what we agreed on…”


He grinned “Then why are you giving me the same look…?”


“You...didn’t have to stay...That’s all…”


“Hannah...I…”


“JC...don’t…”


He sighed “I was scared last night, ok? You collapsed on me. I didn’t know what was gonna happen...I was...worried.”


“You worry about me now?” she smirked.


“Hannah...Relax a little, please…”


Hannah sighed “...I like you too, Jace…”


His brow raised “Oh yeah? So there’s two of us breaking the rules?”


She started to laugh, the pain in her head stopping her. “Too tired for jokes, Jace…” 


He smiled, leaning in to kiss her softly. “Then let’s get you home, ok?”


She smiled weakly, ready for a nap “Okay…”


***


JC stirred awake at the sound of a light knock on the door. “Come in,” his voice started to wake up.


Jade opened the door slowly. “Hey,” she smiled as she whispered “How is she?”


JC smiled as he looked over at Hannah next to him, under the covers. “I think she’s gonna be out awhile. Doctor said rest, plenty of water, and a good meal when she wakes up.”


Jade sighed “Yeah. Makes sense. I’m glad you were there.”


“Me too…”


Jade watched him as he looked over at her. “You’re good for her, ya know?”


JC’s head snapped up “What…?”


Jade smiled “She’s happier around you. Relaxed.”


JC’s eyes softened “Yeah, uh...I think I am, too…”


Jade shook her head and kind of giggled “She’s...stubborn. Always has been. She likes you more than she’ll say.”


JC looked down, a smile finding his lips “We uh...We have that in common.”


As they talked, Hannah twisted in her sleep. Her eyes fluttered open briefly, just long enough to notice JC. “Hey,” he whispered. 


“Hmm…” Hannah mumbled, smiling as she scooted closer to him, and drifted back off. 


“I’m gonna order us all some food...You want some coffee?” Jade spoke quietly as she smiled.


JC returned her smile “Yeah, ok...Jade...Thanks…”

 

Jade winked at him as she closed the door.

Chapter 8 by IvyVega

A New Beginning


Hannah’s eyes went wide as she walked into his house. Faint music she could *just* make out was playing from his built-in speakers, and the normally plain bare dining table was set for two. 

There was a small floral arrangement in the center.


“Jace…” She gave him a warning look, feeling ambushed.


He grinned at her, taking her hand to lead her to the table.


“Hannah...Chill...I got takeout…” he chuckled.  “We never got to hang out the other night. Make yourself comfortable.”


JC made his way to the kitchen island, bringing two greasy bags back with him. He started to unpack them and Hannah couldn’t help but smile. 


“Burgers and fries?” she giggled.


“...And beer...Wanna grab a couple out of the fridge?” he smiled.


Hannah nodded, standing up to walk to the kitchen. Opening the fridge, she smiled back at him “I was afraid you were trying to wine and dine me…”


He laughed a little “Kind of unnecessary at this point, right?”


She blushed “Right.” Carrying the beer over to the table, she handed him one. “I’m not dressed for a date, anyway,” she observed, looking down at her tunic, leggings, and boots.


“Not a date, Annie…” he teased.


“Then what is this?” she teased, gesturing to the table setting. 


JC shrugged. “Hanging out with my-”  He stopped himself and Hannah sighed, nodding.


“Um...yeah,” she looked down, pushing hair behind her ear nervously. 


He took a good gulp of his beer, making his way around the table to wrap an arm around her lower back. “This is weird for me, too...But I meant what I said. I like you, Hannah.”


She smiled up at him and stretched a little to kiss him quickly “I like you, too. Can we eat? Those fries are taunting me.”


He grinned, squeezing the side of her waist. “Good thing I got two orders of them.”




They sat on the couch after dinner, casually sipping more beer and making small talk. They had covered each other’s day and Hannah had discussed her writing with him, which was coming along after a long stretch of writer’s block. Truthfully, she credited him for inspiring her, but she wasn’t ready to let him know that yet.


JC had played her a few songs he was working on, which she had given her honest opinions of. His voice was undeniable and she had to stop herself from gushing more than once. 


He sat quietly during a pause in conversation. They were taking each other in, taking things slowly. Something about tonight felt different. 


JC smiled as Hannah shifted next to him. A slight smile on her face, she reached down to unzip her boots. Pulling them off carefully, she pulled her feet onto the couch and scooted closer to him. 


“What are you..” he smiled as she reached for his free arm, nudging it up and around her.


“Shhh…” She smirked as she nestled into his side, feet tucked up under the rest of her body. Her head fell gently back into his chest without a word. 


It was JC’s turn to go a little flush, his hand naturally finding the loose pieces of her hair, brushing it back softly. 


“If we’re gonna do this...You need to know. I cuddle…” she smiled up at him.


JC bit the side of his lip, surprised at this side of her. “If we’re gonna do what…” he answered her tone.


Hannah felt herself go hot, hoping she didn’t look like a tomato. “It’s been a long time since I’ve had a boyfriend, JC…”


JC nodded, grinning from ear to ear. “I’m out of practice, myself…”


Hannah took a deep breath, letting it out slowly “Then we’ll just have to do our best…”


“Get over here,” JC smiled, pulling her up with the arm that was around her. As she turned to face him, he moved in to meet her mouth, kissing her softly. 


***


Hannah took a deep breath as she took a sip of water, standing with Jade in the kitchen as she waited.


“You sure you’re ready for this, Han?” she smiled at her best friend.


“Jade, I’ve been to these kinds of things with you before…” Hannah’s words betrayed the look on her face.


Jade shook her head. “Not something like this...and NOT as JC Chasez’s girlfriend.”


Hannah gulped another sip of water. “Jade, it’s fine...It’s not like its the Grammys…”


Jade smirked. “Nope...that’s in a couple weeks...Got a dress?”


“I need you to shut up…” Hannah shot back.


Jade laughed. “You look ...hott!”


Hannah rolled her eyes and giggled a little “I look like you…”


“I mean it’s my dress, so…” she teased.


Jade had helped Hannah get ready for the night, pointing out there would probably be a red carpet she would have to walk with JC. They had agreed not to make a “big thing” of their relationship, but neither one of them wanted to hide, either. Hannah had borrowed one of Jade’s dresses, a look that pushed the edge of Hanna’s comfort zone. The navy blue strapless dress had a modified sweetheart neckline with a slight plunge. A small cascade of feather detail came down from the one side of the bottom and peaked out from the hemline, that hit just above her knees. She wore her own strappy black heels, and had convinced Jade her soft leather jacket gave the look a bit of edge. Her eyes were smokier than usual, and Jade had helped to give a tousled and volumized wave to her hair.


Hannah sighed “I feel like I’m playing dress up.”


Jade smiled. “You are...JC is gonna lose his mind.”


“Tell me why you aren’t coming again?” Hannah whined.


Jade shrugged. “Invites came from Verizon and People. Don’t worry about me...I’ll be turning invites away left and right soon,” she winked.


Hannah laughed at her friend. She was usually just as confident as her, but a Hollywood party without her was new territory, and a red carpet boyfriend was totally foreign. 


Hannah’s phone rang and she blushed as she answered it. It was time.


“Hey you,” she heard him smile into the phone. 


“Hey…’ she smiled back.


“Outside in the car...You ready?”


“Am I? “ she teased “I’ll be right out.” 


She hugged Jade goodbye.


“DETAILS. I want all the details later. Go be fabulous,” Jade squeezed her for encouragement. 


Hannah took a deep breath, grabbing her clutch, and made her way to the car. Opening the door, she took JC in as he did the same to her.He wore a fitted navy blue sweater with subtle horizontal stripes, that somehow enhanced his eyes,  and a matching blazer. He had a black skinny scarf around his neck, perfectly relaxed jeans, and white sneakers to finish the look. He looked effortlessly stylish, and incredibly handsome. Hannah smiled at him as she climbed into the towncar next to him.


“Jesus, Annie…” JC breathed. 


Hannah bit her lip. “What…”


“You look….Holy shit…” he reached a hand out to run it down her hair, looking at her. 


“Is it too much?” she asked.


JC shook his head firmly. “AbsoLUTELY not. Damn, I’m a lucky guy…”


Hannah smiled as he leaned in to kiss her, lacing his fingers through hers. “You don’t look so bad, yourself, Jace. In fact...You’re pretty hott…”


JC grinned and squeezed her hand in his. 



They arrived at the entrance and Hannah’s eyes went a little wide at the noise and flashes of light. JC smiled softly at her. “I kinda hate this part…”


Hannah nodded silently. 


He leaned in to speak right into her ear “Just smile and nod. I got you.”


Hannah took his hand as he led the way out of the car. They walked to an arrivals area and promo wall. Hannah shrugged her shoulders back a little, trying to recall anything she remembered from her childhood dance recital days. JC slipped a casual arm around her to rest on her hip as he nodded to the cameras going off from every direction. Hannah pulled her best closed lip smile out, controlled breathing as she let JC be the man of the moment. She was thankful there were no reporters as they made a quick walk inside the venue.


“So...Do we sign autographs now, or…?” Hannah joked.


JC grinned at her “Smartass...Let’s get drinks…”


They made their way around the party, making conversation with people Hannah never thought she’d meet. JC was introducing her simply as “Hannah,” making their connection clear with his hand rarely leaving her lower back. 


“You sure you’ve never done this before?” JC gave her a look.


Hannah shrugged “Only at things I’ve gone to with Jade.”


JC smiled at her proudly “You’re a natural…”


Hannah laughed “I’m just talking to people, Jace.”


“You’d be surprised,” his brow raised.


Hannah had shrugged off her jacket, feeling a little warm with all the people in one room, and JC paused to look down at her appreciatively. 


“Hannah, what does Jade drink?”


She made a face at him “Um...wine, beer...vodka...Why?”


A slow smile found JC’s eyes. “Because I am DEFINITELY sending her a thank you for letting you borrow this dress.” He bit his bottom lip.


Hannah wrapped her arms around him and laughed. “It’s actually kind of uncomfortable.”


JC grinned, a playful glint in his eye. “Well...It comes off, right?”


Hannah grinned back, looking up at him. “I guess you’ll have to find out later.”


JC nodded. “Oh yes.”



They were able to find a table in the back area, sharing a plate of the tiny appetizers on offer. 


“I swear...No one in Hollywood eats…” Hannah shook her head. 


JC laughed. “We’ll get something after.” He kissed just behind her ear. 





The music wasn’t letting up further into the night, and neither were the drinks. Hannah made her way back over to JC, carrying two cups. Handing him one, she fell slightly into him and smiled. 


“This is fun!” she purred.


JC grinned at her, letting a small laugh come from his lips. “I thought you hated these things…” he reminded her.


Hannah shook her head slowly “Nope. I like tonight.” She looked up at him. “You’re cute…”


JC bit his lip and placed a gentle hand on her arm to steady her, taking a sip of the drink with the other “You’re cute, too…”


Leaning her head forward, she aimed for his neck and landed on his collarbone, kissing him softly. 


“Hannah…” he whispered, running a tipsy hand down the back of her hair. 


With a flirty smirk, she shifted her weight to place her drink clumsily behind her on a small ledge. She returned her hands to his chest, sliding down slowly. 


“Heyyy…” he smiled, pressing his back against the wall behind him. His arms instinctively moved up, elbows out as he tried not to spill his drink. 


Hannah moved lower, hands now resting on top of his thighs, which had moved slightly forward as he followed her motion. She gripped tighter, looking left and right quickly before gazing back at him. Her hands moved inward, and he reached his free hand down to hers.


“Annie...what are you doing…” His speech was slightly slurred, eyed hooded but twinkling. 


“Are you complaining?”


He licked his lips. “Here?”


Hannah giggled “You’re my boyfriend now...It’s ok…”


JC gripped her wrist, pulling her arm gently until she stood. 


“Can’t have people thinking bad things about my girlfriend, can I…” He pulled her into him, kissing her deeply. He moved his lips to her ear, and she felt his breath as he whispered. “I’m taking you home, Annie…”


****


Hannah giggled as JC lifted her onto the kitchen island counter. She still had her dress on, but had thrown her jacket on the couch and kicked off her shoes the second they got to his house after the party. He placed his hands on either side of her, moving down her neck to her collarbone. She cradled the back of his neck. 


“Mmmmm...You wanna get some food?” he mumbled against her skin.


“Hmmmm...Not really…” she teased as she moved to nuzzle into his hair.


“Me neither,” he managed, sliding his hands up her thighs under her dress. “Still uncomfortable?” he teased.


Hannah bit her lip and nodded. “Yeah...Think it needs to come off…”


JC grinned as he reached around to pull down the zipper. Hannah rested her hands behind her and lifted up as he gently slid it down her body. Tossing it aside, his eyes twinkled as he looked at her.

“Hannah Martin...Where’s your bra?”


She giggled “Where was I fitting one in that?”


“Oh my GOD, woman…” he growled, moving closer as he pulled her into his body. 


Safely in his embrace, she reached up to tug at his sweater. He raised his arms to let her pull it off, and she moved to his chest, kissing and biting gently. He closed his eyes as his breathing got heavy. 


Moving to the lower half of their bodies, a sequence of kisses and careful moves left them both naked. Hannah moved her hands to his butt, pulling him hard toward her. “Mine.”


JC shook his head, two firm hands on hers. His eyes went dark as he pulled her hands to rest on his chest. They slid out of reach slowly as he kissed her bare chest, teasing circles with his tongue. Hannah felt her breath start to shake as he continued, biting gently down. 


“Mmmmmm” she moaned as he kissed down to her belly button, pausing. Looking up into her eyes, his own were glowing as he moved his hands to her inner thighs to push them gently apart. “Mine” he whispered before dipping his head to close his mouth around her, plunging his tongue deep.


Hannah gripped the edge of the counter for support, her now clammy hands slipping a bit. “Uhhhhhh…” she groaned, a rattling growl coming from her throat. 


JC continued in perfect rhythm until she couldn’t take it anymore, her chest rising against the swell inside her. She threw her arms back to catch herself as she let go. One last kiss against her, JC pulled back, catching her still shaking body.


She panted in his arms as her breath turned slow, and glazed over eyes looked up at him. “Fuck, babe…”


JC met her with a lazy smile. “I’m not done, mama…” He looked down as Hannah’s eyes danced. She took a deep breath, her sigh turning into a grin as he pulled her slightly off the counter, arching her toward him. With a quick pull, he was inside as she gasped. 


“Should I be gentle?” he teased.


Hannah had one arm behind herself and one around his neck as she blushed, shaking her head “Hell no…”

 

JC didn’t hesitate, rocking them both as her hips met his, over and over.

Chapter 9 by IvyVega
Author's Notes:

Hi!

 

Where are my ABDC Fans at?

 

This chapter explores how JC's run on the show affected JC and Hanna's relationship. 

 

Enjoy! :)

JACE AND ANNIE (2011)


JC paced back and forth. He was at his wit’s end. He had been extremely busy lately. On top of filming and promo for “America’s Best Dance Crew,” he was throwing himself full force into producing and writing; with two songs he had worked on making it to AJ McLean’s solo album. He and Hannah were seeing less and less of each other, which had grown frustrating for both of them.


Hannah knew that his music was everything to him, and she was busy herself, about halfway through her first book. With an agent and a pending publishing deal now in her corner, she had no excuse not to get it done.


They were both extremely proud of each other, with very little time to tell the other one that. 


Hannah huffed as he had cancelled yet another date night, the studio needing more attention as the third wheel in their relationship. It gave her more time to write, but less time with the man she had opened herself up to. 


“WHAT DO YOU WANT THEN, HANNAH...HUH?” JC cracked. 


She growled in frustration. “YOU, IDIOT…”


“You have me!” he shot back.


“DO I? DO I REALLY?”


“Do you see me sleeping with anyone else?!”


“Are you…” Hannah stared at him.


“Geezus, Annie…” He rubbed his forehead “NO! When would I even have the time?”


“Would it KILL YOU to make some time for us…”


JC sighed “You made it pretty clear you like casual, Hannah…Since when do you care about romance?!”


“Things change…” she countered. Her eyes were tired, sad. He hated seeing her like this, especially because of him.


JC closed his eyes, taking a deep breath, and fell onto a chair, staring directly at her “I was never looking for this...for you...It just happened...”


Hannah swallowed, looking down “Neither was I, but we’ve made it this far, haven’t we?”


“I’m a shitty boyfriend, Annie…” 


Hannah felt the sting in her eyes, willing it away “I’m a shitty girlfriend…”


JC let out a breath “No you’re not…”


She looked up to answer him “You’re not, either.”


“So what are we doing wrong here?”


Hannah settled down next to him, shrugging “I don’t know, Jace...I really don’t…”


“I know I love you…”


“...I love you too,” she let herself smile softly.


“I know I want you…”


“Jace…” she gave him a withering look. “Why is that all we’re good at?”




Hannah resigned herself to a night alone, as she settled in with a glass of wine and flipped on the tv. She was annoyed at him, but she never missed an episode. She found herself smiling as she chewed on popcorn, always entertained by the crews’ performances and JC’s weirdo take on judging.


She danced along on the couch as arguably the cutest crew, Iconic Boyz, an all-kid crew, took the stage busting moves to “Teenage Dream” by Katy Perry. They finished their performance, and it was time for the judges to weigh in. Hannah sat up a little straighter, admittedly excited to see what JC would say. She thought it was a cute routine. 


D-Trix was up first, and Hannah’s eyes widened at his take “Honestly...It wasn’t that good. I’m - I’m sorry. You guys are adorable...but you guys...It takes more than that to be America’s best dance crew…”


Hannah cocked her head to one side as he challenged them to prove themselves despite their age. “Well that was a little harsh,” she whispered to herself. The D she knew was pretty happy-go-lucky. 


Lil’ Mama gave her thoughts, and it was time for JC’s commentary. “Yeah I..Um...Actually D-Trix...With all due respect, I disagree with you a lot, actually.” He stared right at him. “I have to say, look, developmentally, some of the things you’re identifying with, boys...The wall...It was a little bit ABC. That’s the truth of the matter, BUT when you say the whole routine you didn’t like the whole routine...C’mon Man, Don’t be a crackhead, like, SERIOUSLY…”


The two of them went back and forth, D-Trix arguing age and JC arguing performance level.


“It’s a PERFORMANCE! It’s about playing the crowd..It’s not always about hitting something clean...It’s not always just about doing something that somebody else doesn’t do. Sometimes it’s about giving the crowd what they want.” His eyes were a bit wild as he held his hands out to emphasize his point.


Hannah nearly choked on her wine, reaching for her phone. 


“What the HELL was that, Jace?” she hissed when she heard him answer.


“Um...What?”


“You’re fighting with D, now?”


She heard him snicker on the other line “Defending him, now? He’s a big boy, Annie...You should know that…”


“I didn’t say he was RIGHT...But there is NO reason to go at him like that...”


“I’m not in the mood for this, Hannah…”


“It’s not that serious, Jace...WHAT was with the peacocking…”


“So one minute you want me to try harder...and the next you’re critiquing how I do my job?”


“I dunno who that guy was, but it wasn’t my boyfriend…”


“You sure? You need me happy all the time, mama? Just like everyone else in my life?”


Hannah sighed “I didn’t say that just...What the HELL…?”


JC chuckled on the other end. “I can say whatever I want, Hannah. That’s why they hired me.”


Hannah rolled her eyes, feeling her blood start to go hott “Grow up, JC. I’ve made it pretty clear who I wanna be with. Cut the attitude.” She hung up quickly, switching the channel to distract herself. 



(2009)


Hannah made her way to his dressing room, lunch in hand. She greeted the familiar faces she saw along the way, show crew and dancers among them.


“Hannah Banana!” a charming smile shouted at her before crashing into her with a playful hug.


She caught him just in time, and shook her head and giggled. “Hey D...I thought you were all rehearsing…”


“We are, but a man’s gotta eat!”


Hannah smiled, holding up her takeout bags “Right there with ya…”


“When are you bringing me lunch, huh?” he teased.


She grinned at him, standing just outside JC’s door. “Find a way to distract this one and we’ll talk,” she winked at him, nodding her head toward the door. 


“I’m holding you to that...I have my ways,” he grinned at her. 


She laughed just before moving to head to her destination. 


“Dominic, Dominic, Dominic...What am I gonna do with you?”


“Anything you want, beautiful,” he stuck his tongue out at her, “Enjoy lunch…”


Hannah headed in to JC, a slight blush still on her face. JC looked up from the couch, a smile meeting his eyes. 


“Hey mama…” 


“Hello yourself,” Hannah smiled. 


JC noticed the look on her face. “That D I heard?”


Hannah laughed as she pulled food out of the bags. “Yeah...He’s...something…”


JC smirked as he took a sandwich from her, taking a bite immediately “I think you have a crush on him.”


Hannah’s eyes widened. “Joshua Scott why would you say that?”


JC chuckled, mouth still slightly full as he spoke “Because you still have eyes...Hannah Rae...”


Hannah moved closer to him, catching his lips in a cute kiss. “I have a crush on YOU.”


He cheesed back at her, a playful look forming on his face “Does D know that? He gonna be jealous?”


Hannah laughed, pinching his arm “Eat your lunch, you brat…”


“Owww...So MEAN..I’m gonna warn him…” JC kept teasing.


Hannah sighed  as she took her first bite of lunch. “Thank you for lunch, babe...Good to see you, babe... ,” she muttered under her breath, mocking him. 


JC set his sandwich briefly down, wrapping his arms all the way around her and nuzzling his face into her neck “I’ll find a way to thank you later, Babe…”


Hannah smirked. “You’re lucky you’re cute.”


He squeezed her harder “Says the cuter one.”


Hannah shook her head as they both went back to their food, just enjoying the moment alone.



Hannah found a seat off to the side, just out of view of the cameras and the audience. It was her spot whenever she came to visit him on set. She loved to watch the chaos of the show being filmed, and see him in his element. The dancers on the show were crazy talented, and she had a lot of fun watching them.


She smiled as Bluprint Crew finished a HIGH ENERGY performance.Everyy member of the crew was amazing, but it was the female members that had stolen the show thos time with their fierce moves. She clapped and cheered right along with the studio audience as Mario Lopez threw it to judge’s commentary. 


JC looked GOOD, and there was a certain twinkle in his eye when the camera panned to him. 


“Honestly, You caught my eye tonight. That was sexy, honey…”


Hannah stared at him as he continued, Shane Sparks and Lil’ Mama teasing him as Alex blushed and played coy onstage. “...Hey...She looked good…”


Hannah felt herself go a little numb, silently scolding herself. This was his job. He was an entertainer. It was great tv. Still, she couldn’t help but look to the woman he had just complimented, her reddish hair perfectly styled as she stood there in a pink corset. She was gorgeous, and could SERIOUSLY move. JC had been friendly to all the contestants, male and female. He was a friendly guy. Hannah couldn’t help herself from mentally scanning the last few weeks, though, analyzing any extra attention he may have given her over the last few weeks.

She forced a smile, knowing SOMEONE from the filming crew had to be looking at her for a reaction right now. 


She waited a few minutes and got up to head backstage, needing a minute. As she headed for a dressing room, a voice got her attention.


“Don’t worry...You catch attention every day, Hannah…”


She turned her head in the direction of the sound, to find Dominic smiling at her. Blushing, she waved him off “Stop. You’re gonna get me in trouble,” she smiled. 


He shook his head before walking to his cue backstage. Hannah flipped through a magazine absentmindedly for the rest of the taping, hearing voices outside that drew her interest. 


“Seriously, sweetie...That was HOTT! You ladies are giving everyone else a run for their money…”  


She stepped just outside the dressing room to see JC talking to Natalie. She now had on a hoodie over her onstage costume, but was no less attractive. 


“Oh my God STOP...We’re just having so much fun!” she answered him.


“It shows,” JC smiled, a cheeky smile in her direction. “Got the look, too…”


Natalie blushed, casting her eyes subtly down, then up again.


Was she flirting?!


“Well thank you! Plenty where that came from.”


“Can’t wait,” JC answered. 


“Ok um well...I’m gonna go change…”


“See ya, Natalie…” He turned around, spotting Hannah watching him.


Smirk on his face, he walked over to her, instinctively moving for her lips. She stepped back, jerking her head back with her. 


“Be a little more obvious, would you?”


JC looked at her confused, realization slowly kicking in as he gestured behind him. “WHAT, NATALIE?!”


“She caught your attention, didn’t she?”


JC smiled “Annie…”


“No, I mean I don’t blame you...She’s cute…”


JC sighed. “Hannah...I’m with you. You’re with me. We’ve established that. She was fun to watch...onstage.”


Hannah bit her lip. “And offstage…”


JC gave her a look “So you’re gonna pretend D doesn’t follow you around like a puppy?”


“Oh come on! He’s harmless!”


“Is he?” he stared at her. 


Hannah sighed, in a mood. “I mean he’s not ugly…” she shrugged, challenging JC.


He chuckled “Don’t start this game, Hannah…”


“Game? What game? We ‘both have eyes,’ right,” she quoted him. “You seem to be putting yours to good use lately.”


“...And you aren’t? ‘Find a way to distract this one?’ “ He gave her a pointed look.


“I was kidding, Jace…”


“Were you, though?”


Hannah crossed her arms in front of her. “Fine. You wanna be like that? Hall pass.”


“Excuse me?” JC questioned her.


“You heard me. Hall Pass. We were casual for months, JC...We can do it again. I’m not worried.”


JC smirked “Careful what you wish for, mama…”


She narrowed her eyes at him “I know exactly...what I wish for. I mean it...Go ahead. One time. Each of us...We can talk about anything else later.”


JC studied her, waiting for her to say she was joking “You’re serious…”


Hannah nodded. “I am. Have fun.” She spun on her heel as he caught her arm, pulling her in to kiss her. After a few moments, Hannah pulled away.


“Mmm...Save some of that for Sexy over there…” she teased, walking away from him.




JC stood motionless as she walked away. Damn. She really was unlike any woman he had ever met. Shaking his head, he turned in the opposite direction. Challenge accepted. 


For her part, Hannah made quick work of finding Dominic. If he got to have his cake and eat it, too, so did she.


**********************


JC sat briefly in the drive as he rubbed the bridge of his nose, taking a deep breath. 


What was he doing? All he wanted was to see her. His feelings were stronger than they ever had been for anyone before, and honestly that scared him. They had a deal. Everything was out in the open, and he had no reason to feel guilty. So why did he?


A quick huff of breath to calm himself down,  and he shut down the car, stepping out and starting toward the house. His keys turned the lock and he pushed the door open, hitting the lights. He took a few steps in and stopped as he looked toward the couch.


“...Jace?”  She greeted him quietly, eyes slightly wide. Bright amber. She had been crying. A loose white t-shirt was tucked into the same pants she had had on earlier in the day. 


“Annie…” He stared at her, surprised.


She looked down, fidgeting with her necklace. “I...I didn’t go…”


JC’s face melted into a smile. “I just dropped Natalie off…”


Hannah nodded. “Did you have fun?” she asked quietly.


He crashed down onto the sofa next to her, looking into her eyes. “No...I didn’t…”


“You...didn’t…”


JC shook his head. “No. I...didn’t want to…”


Hannah’s eyes went watery “Neither did I…”


“Hannah I’m sorry. I can be a flirt. Force of...habit?”


She shook her head. “I’M sorry. You scare me…”


JC ran a hand down her arm. “You scare me, too…”


“I thought I needed to-”


“I know. Me too…” he finished her thought. “Come here…” he moved his hand over hers. 


She moved toward him, arms wrapping around his neck as she spoke softly. “Turns out you’re all I need…”


He answered her with his eyes, a grin in them as he rested his hands on her lower back and his lips on hers. Parting them , his tongue found hers easily, the comfort he had been craving all night.


Her arms pulled him closer as he wrapped his more tightly around her. Her kiss moved to his jaw, down to his neck. He rolled his head to one side, giving her better access. His hands slid down just inside the back waistband of her pants, sliding to rest on the skin at the top of her hips. 


A breathy chuckle escaped him as he gripped her sides, lifting her up and onto his lap. He let her move her lips down his collarbone, pushing his shirt aside to bite gently on his shoulder before he shifted to stand, firmly gripping her thighs to hold her against him. She pulled herself up just enough to wrap her legs around his back. 


“Bedtime, mama?” he whispered as she pulled away to look at him, her eyes now a sexy shade of chocolate. 


“Nowhere else I’d rather be…” she breathed.


Moving into the bedroom, JC fell back onto the bed, letting her gently collapse on top of him. Her breathing had picked up and she pulled her shirt off, revealing a lacy silver push-up bra. 


Reaching up to slide a finger under the strap, JC’s eyes were playful. “This is new…”


Hannah turned bright red, biting her lip as she nodded. 


A thought crossed his mind as an evil grin slowly crept across his face. “I was almost the second man to see it…”


Hannah cocked her head to the side in confused amusement. “Does that...turn you on?”


JC laughed lightly as he realized where his mind had gone. “Yeah...It kind of does.”


She shook her head and let her head fall forward slightly as she laughed, the sound of it only intriguing him even more. “You are so weird…”


He smiled, running his hands up her sides to cradle and massage her chest. “You love it…”


She giggled as he moved to the straps, pulling them down before reaching around to unclasp the hook and pull the bra gently off of her. 


“I’ll just take this for safe-keeping,” he teased as he tossed it behind him. 


Hannah giggled. “How about you take all of me, instead…”


JC grinned wide, pulling her all the way on top of him before flipping her around so he was on top of her “...Don’t have to tell me twice…”

 

End Notes:

Hi everyone!

 

The two bits from the Judge's commentary come from actual episodes of the show.

Season 3 and Season 6.

 

"D" is Dominic "D-Trix Sandoval" from Quest Crew, who won in Season 3. He later went on to sit on the judging panel with JC...and that disagreement actually happened. :) The all-kid crew was Iconic Boyz.

 

Natalie is from Blueprint Crew, who JC actually said caught his eye. She was also on in  Season 3.

Chapter 10 by IvyVega

Hannah smiled to herself as she laid cuddled up to JC in his bed.They were enjoying a lazy Sunday morning. Their favorite kind. JC had a book in hand and Hannah was perusing morning papers, while they both enjoyed hot coffee and breakfast in bed- which was really just pop-tarts.


Hannah moved her feet closer to him, unable to get them as warm as she wanted them to be.


“DUDE...What are you doing?” he laughed. 


“I’m cold,” Hannah laughed back. 


JC shook his head, smile stuck on his face. “Go get socks…”


Hannah smirked, not complaining. He had a robust sock collection, and loved how warm they always felt on her smaller feet. She got out of bed and made her way to the drawer, selecting a fuzzy pair of crew socks that looked like they had never been worn. As she lifted them, something in the back corner of the drawer caught her eye.


A small black velvet box. Running her hand over it quickly, she looked back at him, only to find him too engrossed in his book to be paying attention. With careful fingers, she flipped the box open, revealing a pear-shaped diamond ring with a pave band. Hannah’s breath caught in her throat. 


“You find a pair?” he asked, eyes not leaving the book. 


“What? Uh, yeah…” Hannah covered, flipping the box shut and pulling the socks out quickly. She pulled them on her feet and made her way back to the bed, blushing at her discovery. 

Crawling back next to him, she perched on his leg, stretching up to kiss his cheek, down his jawline to his neck.


Pausing his reading, he grinned as he looked to her. “What’s that for?”


“Nothing just...you…” she beamed. 


He gave her a suspicious look before kissing her quickly. “Um. Okaayyy…” 


Hannah smiled up at him again before grabbing her coffee to take a sip.


“I’m gonna take a shower,” he smirked at her ‘Wanna join me?”


Hannah’s mind went to the box in the drawer. “Um...sure...Gimme a minute, though. Just wanna finish this article.” she bluffed.


He smiled softly at her, kissing the top of her head before pulling the comforter off to get up. “K…”



Bathroom door closed, Hannah snuck out of bed to hurry to the drawer. Carefully opening it, she opened the box again, noticing a folded up piece of paper sticking out from the bottom. Pulling it out carefully, she unfolded it and her eyes went wide. 


“Transaction Date: February 11th, 2010”


Hannah stared at the date in confusion. Over a year ago. He had bought the ring over a year ago. Was it not what she thought it was? Was it not for her? She had no suspicion he was cheating on her, but why would he have kept it in a drawer for an entire year? Mind reeling, she carefully tucked the receipt back into the bottom of the box and closed it, returning it to where she had found it. Maybe on her birthday? Maybe he’d ask on her birthday?


She swallowed the lump in her throat, trying not to think the worst. Taking a deep breath, she closed the drawer, making her way to the bathroom.


*****


Hannah grinned to herself, stirring awake at the sound of a soft voice singing. 


“Happy Birthday to you...Happy Birthday to you..Happy birthday dear Annie…”


She opened her eyes and rolled over to JC perched on the edge of the bed.


“Morning, birthday girl…” he chirped.


She sized him up, a chuckle finding her half asleep senses “Why do you look like you are about to rob a bank?” He was decked out in sweatpants, a hoodie, dark sunglasses, and a baseball hat pulled low. 


JC grinned and reached for a paper cup “Soy, extra shot, 3 pumps of pumpkin”


Hannah’s eyes went wide. “You got this yourself?”


He nodded, biting his bottom lip.


“Awww...You risked your life for pumpkin spice? For me??” she teased. 


“Shut up…” he laughed, shaking his head. He leaned over to kiss her. 


“Thank you.” 


“The day is yours, Hannah...except...for dinner…”


“Dinner?”


“Mmmhmm.” He handed her a bag, and she immediately recognized the branding. 


“What did you do?” she stared at him.


“Nothing...much..” he smiled.


Shaking her head, she dug into the bag, pulling out a buttery soft mid-length dress with flutter sleeves.


“Jace…” she looked at him. 


“You like it? Is it the right size?”


She giggled “You, sir, are a BRAVE man...but...Yes and yes. I love it…”


“Good,” he smiled “Thought we could try a real date tonight...get a little fancy?”


“Is this cuz I’m old now?”


Jc chuckled “Yep. Gotta get out while we still can...Ya know before the walker…” he teased.


“Dick…” she laughed, throwing a pillow at him. 


He laughed, catching the pillow before crawling next to her. “I mean it, though, wear the dress, don’t wear the dress, but I want tonight to be special.” He stared at her with crystal eyes and Hannah’s heart began to race. 


Oh my God. This was it! Was this it? Was she right? He had never bought her clothes before. He HAD to have something big planned.

**

Hannah took another sip of her wine as their waiter arrived with a silver tray and a smile.  Dinner had been AMAZING. Jc had arranged a private dining at one of the most exclusive restaurants in Los Angeles. Not usually his speed, but he seemed to be going big tonight, including a $130 bottle of a delicious, seasonal Barbera red wine. 


Hannah grinned, stuffed from the caviar, oysters, and truffled pasta carbonara she had just enjoyed. 


“What did you do? “ she smirked at him. 


He shrugged, his eyes playful “Spoiling you a little, Hannah…”


The waiter laid down the tray to reveal a perfectly presented chocolate souffle with creme fraiche and vanilla gelato. On the plate, in perfect script, was written “Happy Birthday, Annie <3” 


As she grabbed a spoon, another waiter came along with a chilled bucket containing a bottle of Dom Perignon. Hannah’s eyes went wide. 


“Are you wining and dining me, Jace…” she teased.


He bit his lip “Obviously…” He reached out to grab her hand, rubbing it with his thumb “Happy Birthday, Mama…”


Hannah’s heart was thumping in her chest. Was it in the dessert? That would be SO cheesy, but she had to admit this moment felt like she was in a movie. She dug a spoon into the souffle, trying to be subtle about pushing around for anything hidden in it. 


“...Something wrong?” JC was looking at her concerned. 


“What? Oh uh...No..” Hannah answered, taking a quick bite, rolling the chocolate around in her mouth just in case. The flavor immediately distracted her. 


“OHMYGODJACE…” she mumbled, eyes rolling back a bit. 


JC laughed, his eyes crinkling “Damn, that good? Do I have to be jealous of cake?”


Hannah covered her mouth, laughing. She held out a bite and he slowly took it, pulling away slowly with his lips.


“MMMMYEAHOK” he mumbled back. “If you need to be alone with that I totally understand,” he joked. 


Hannah grinned at him, studying his face. He was looking at her with the excitement of a child. She all but expected a puffed out chest. He was thoroughly enjoying pampering her and watching her enjoy every bite and every sip. He heart softened as she sighed.


“This is all incredible, Jace. Thank you.” 


His lips twitched into a smile. “Well...I’ve uh...I’ve never been with anyone like you, Hannah. I’ve never been this happy. God...that’s cheesy…” he shook his head.


Hannah giggled “Me too, Jace. You caught me. I can’t help it.”


JC nodded, pouring them both a glass of champagne. Holding up his glass, he toasted.


“No more broken hearts club?”


Hannah smirked “Something like that.”


They clinked glasses and Hannah held her breath...for a moment that never came. 




Arriving back at his house, JC kissed her deeply as they entered the bedroom. Hands to her waist, she stopped his roaming. 


“Mmm….Can we...You overfed me. Call it a night?” she smiled up at him.


JC pulled away slightly, a little confused. ‘Uh..Yeah...Yeah ok.”


She kissed him quickly before staring at him “Tonight was perfect. I’ll be here in the morning…” she smirked at him.


He grinned as he kissed her back quickly “Ok. Sweet dreams, birthday girl.”


Making themselves more comfortable, they peeled off their evening wear, cuddling up under the covers. Waiting for JC to fall asleep, Hannah let silent tears fall as she drifted off.


*****

JC rejoined Hannah on the dance floor, wrapping his arms over her shoulders as he handed her another cocktail. Lips to her neck, he waited for her to grab her drink before letting his hand fall to her hip. Hannah giggled as she turned to face him. 


“You’re cut off…” she teased.


He silenced her with a kiss before replying, a grin across his face “Ok...Wanna get out of here, then?”


Hannah giggled “Down, boy...Gotta make it to midnight…”


JC fake pouted. “FINE…”


Hannah laughed at him, moving to the music. Another Eric party wasn’t her ideal way to ring in the New Year, but he hadn’t left her side, and she was looking forward to catching up with Jade, who had been crazy busy since her show had been picked up for yet another season. Her dream had come true, and she was a star. Morning talk shows,magazines, and Emmy awards: Jade was part of it all now. It was well deserved and Hannah was thrilled for her, but she missed her best friend. They texted and made time for phone calls, but this would be the first time she had actually seen her in three months. JC casually grooved along with her before a voice caught their attention. 


“HANNAHHH!!” a female voice called, both of them snapping their heads in its direction. 


“OH MY GOD!” Hannah kind of squealed, causing JC to laugh as he trailed behind her.


Hannah made her way over to Jade, crushing her in a hug. “Ahhhh I misssss youuu…” Jade purred. 


She pulled Hannah over to an empty table and turned to JC as Hannah sat. 


“Hey you! Damn...Clean cut and everything huh? Nice work, girl…” she glanced at Hannah as she hugged JC.


JC chuckled as her hugged her back “Nice to see you too, Jade. Ya know...Not on a tv, I mean…”


Jade giggled as JC joined Hannah at the table. 


Hannah smiled. “SO, Long lost best friend...Catch me up! Obviously the show is..AMAZING, but what else? How’s Aaron? That going well?”


“OKAY. Sooooo…” Jade shimmied a little as she teased her next statement. “I actually wanted to tell you in person…” She held out her left hand, a round-cut diamond immediately catching the overhead lighting. Her face was stuck in a wide grin. 


Hannah felt her chest tighten, forcing herself to speak “OH MY GOD,” she shouted, grabbing her friend’s hand. “JADE..Wow...wow...Congratulations! When did this happen?” she forced the smile onto her face. 


Jade beamed “Christmas Eve. With his family. Can you believe it?!”


“I...This is amazing!” Hannah managed. “I’m so happy for you, girl!”


“Nice little rock, too…’ JC observed. “Congratulations.”


“Thank you…” Jade gestured. 


Hannah looked to JC, swallowing as she took a sip of her drink.


“SO...Obviously...Hannah...I want you to be my maid of honor...Please?”


Hannah smiled softly “Um...Yes! Of course. I’d be honored.”


“We haven’t set a date yet, though. Hell, you two will probably get there before we do,” she teased. 


Hannah’s eyes went wide, staring at her friend in warning. She had mentioned the ring to Jade on their last phone call, but Thanksgiving and Christmas had gone by without incident. Jade caught her meaning and caught herself in a breath. 


“I mean...You know how long I take to plan things sometimes…” She rolled her eyes in a cover-up.


Hannah laughed, forced, but apparently enough to convince JC “Sometime before we’re 40, please?” she joked. 


“Oh shut up!” Jade laughed. 


They caught up for a few more minutes, the rest of the conversation being far less awkward, but truthfully, Hannah felt the room closing in on her. She was genuinely happy for her friend, and Aaron was a great guy, but they had only been dating for 8 months. 8 months. Yet he had had time to make up his mind, buy a ring, and actually proposed. 


Jade excused herself to make the rounds, and Hannah took a breath. 


“I um...I need to use the restroom,” she smiled weakly at JC, getting up in a hurry to head toward the hall. She gulped in the new air as she closed her eyes


Opening them and sensing someone else near her, she turned to find JC standing there. 


“Annie?” he questioned, a look of concern on his face. “Are you ok?”


“You followed me?”


JC nodded. “I think I know by now when you’re upset. What’s wrong/” he asked as he stepped closer to her. 


Hannah sighed. “Nothing, Jace...It’s nothing.”


“It’s definitely something, Hannah...You don’t like Aaron?”


“No I...Aaron is great. They’ll be ...really happy. Jade deserves to be happy.”


“...Then what is it?”


Hannah felt her eyes start to sting. “They’ve been dating for less than a year…”


JC studied her “I mean, yeah...I guess that’s kind of quick.”


Hannah nodded “Yeah…” she looked down as realization hit JC.


“Shit...Annie…” he started.


“I found the ring, JC…” she looked back up at him, the words leaving her mouth before she could stop them. 


His eyes went wide “What?”


“In your sock drawer...Not the best hiding place.”


JC sighed “Hannah…”


“Um...Is it for...Did you buy it because...Is there someone else?” She felt herself going dizzy as she forced herself to ask.


“Annie...What kind of question is that? Of course I bought it for you.”


Hannah took deep breaths, her eyes getting watery. “...In 2010…”


JC looked down, his voice just above a whisper. ‘Yeah…”


“That’s...over a year ago...almost 2…”


“Yeah…” he breathed. 


“Did you...change your mind?”


“No,” his jaw was tight, eyes full of emotion “No, I just...Hannah we have a good thing going…”


“Three years...three years, Jace...You’re still not sure?”


His voice was shaky “I’m sure...I just...Hannah this isn’t an easy thing…”


Hannah nodded, a tear already having fallen. Wiping it away, she steadied herself “You’re not ready…”


JC sighed “No…Are you?”


Hannah swallowed back more tears, ready to give in. “I...didn’t think so...but when I saw that box…” she shook her head “Jace you made me think about it...a lot.”


JC opened his mouth to speak, feeling a bit numb as he could only wrap her in his arms. Hannah buried her head in his chest, letting herself cry for a moment. 


“Annie I’m not going anywhere. Nothing has to change.” he spoke, kissing the top of her head.


She sighed against him, pushing back in his arms “Except it already has…”


“I’ll get there, Hannah...I will…”


She shook her head. “I can’t…”


“Annie...don’t…” his breathing was thick as his eyes shifted, searching her face for relief. 


“I’m sorry…” she whispered, letting her eyes spill over. 


JC’s face twisted, instinctively moving to wipe the tears from her eyes as he fought his own. Holding her tightly to him, he closed his eyes, saying nothing. Catching their attention at the same time, they opened their eyes as they heard muffled voices; noisemakers. 


“...5...4...3...2...1...HAPPY NEW YEAR!” 


The cheers from the ballroom pierced the moment, both of them feeling like they had been punched in the chest. 


“We made it to midnight,” JC whispered, his eyes sad. 

 

Hannah nodded, her eyes amber and wet. Reaching her hand up to his face, she sighed softly, a confirmation, as she stretched up to his lips. He caught her hand in his, leaning down. Their lips met each other softly, slowly before they both pulled back, foreheads against each other. Holding each other silently, they enjoyed one last moment

Chapter 11 by IvyVega
Author's Notes:

Hi readers!

 

So...There is a news item in here that I have altered the date on slightly. Creative license to fit in this world. ;) 

 

The JC article mentioned happened in real life in January. Here, we are in March.

 

I hope you find the slight tweak worth it. :)

The first month of 2012 had gone nothing like either Hannah or JC had planned. In fact, it had barely “gone” for either of them at all.


JC had tried to keep busy with his music, but nothing real had come of it. Hannah had been distracting herself at work. Having logged so much overtime that her boss had forced her to take a couple days off, her mind had wandered to new opportunity, and she found herself reaching out to contacts from her past life. 


They had avoided each other; avoided reality, but they couldn’t anymore. JC couldn’t stand the reminders of her, and she needed her stuff back.




“...Well...that’s the last of it,” She sighed, closing the back door of the small van she had rented.


JC stared at it. 3 years. 3 years worth of stuff. Her stuff. From HIS house. Why hadn’t he ever asked her to actually move in? She had a key. It felt like she had lived there, especially now that she was leaving. He swallowed the lump in his throat and felt it sit on his chest.


“Uh...I can drive you back...if you want.”


Hannah smiled softly. “Thank you, but I’m fine. I just wanna get things sorted.”


JC nodded “Yeah...Yeah that makes sense...Get the stuff back in your own space…Guess more room now with Jade not there anymore.”


Hannah leaned against the van, looking down “Yeah...Um…” She looked up at him “Jace I’m ...I’m moving…”


The lump in his chest moved back to his throat. “...What…?”


“I uh...There was an opening ...in San Diego...as a writer...I figured now might be a good time to-”


“Right... Right. Annie, that’s...Congratulations,” he resigned himself. 


“Thank you…” she replied.


Walking toward him, she held out her copy of the house keys.


Taking them, his hand lingered on hers. “I uh...Hannah ...I’m sorry.”


She nodded, a sad smile finding the corners of her mouth “Yeah...Me too, JC…me too,” she sighed.


He leaned in, gently, placing his lips on hers. Pushing against him, her resolve gave out briefly, as she leaned into a kiss. Their tongues briefly found each other before they both pulled back, an unspoken agreement. 


“Take care of yourself, Jace…” she managed as she pulled her hand back and took a step toward the van.


“You, too, Annie…” 


Climbing into the van, she started the engine as he met her at its side, tapping the top of it for good luck before she left. 


“Bye, Jace…”


“Goodbye Hannah…”



Hannah started down the road, her resolve slipping as she looked back just once in the rearview to see him standing there, hands in pockets, watching her drive away. He was squinting in the sun, expression unclear.


Making it 20 minutes down the 405 highway, she felt her chest tighten, making note of an off-ramp to a rest area. Turning off, she made it into the parking area  before quickly turning off the engine and slumping forward on her steering wheel. 


Window up so no one could hear her, she let go. She couldn’t remember the last time she had cried like this. It was built up frustration, total defeat. She was tired of things ending like this. Only this time, she had convinced herself it was different. Should she have waited? Would things have ever changed? 


***


Justin carefully made his way into a house that wasn’t his. Slamming the door shut, he managed to get JC to the couch, tossing him onto it. Their quiet night out had turned anything but. Jc had more pent up steam to let out than either of them had realized.


“WHOA.” JC exclaimed, landing hard on a cushion. 


“Dude. You good? C...What the fuck?”


“Leave me alone…” he waved sloppy arms at Justin. 


Justin sighed. “Mannn...I’m getting you water...STAY there…”


JC fell onto his side, half awake. Minutes later, Justin returned with a bottle of water, pulling JC back upright. 


“Hey...HEY...You need to drink this…” he slapped his face lightly to get his attention. 


JC shook his head “No...Bed...Fuck…”


Justin sighed, sitting next to him “Listen...I get it...But you’re gonna feel like shit tomorrow, dude.”


“I feel like shit NOW...It’s SHIT…”


“C...I know you miss her...but you can’t do this…”


JC waved him off again “Ahhh! Shhhh ...I fucked up, J...I FUCKED UP…”


Dude...We can talk about it tomorrow. WATER” he handed him the bottle of water. 


Setting the water on the table, JC stared at him “Call Hannah…”


“What?”


“Hannah she...Hannah will come...for water..and food. I’m hungry.”


Justin winced. “C...Hannah’s not...Um...She’s busy.”

JC nodded “Go get her.”


Sighing, Justin looked at him. “I’m ordering pizza, ok?”


JC fell back onto a cushion, eyes closing “Ok….”


******


Hannah made her way through the office, excited but a little overwhelmed at all the new people she had met in her first week at her new job. Her new place was still a mess, boxes unpacked and furniture waiting to be delivered. She had jumped headfirst into a new life, and so far it was going well. 


Wanting to get to know her assistant editor a little more, she was trying to remember where she said she sat. Having been an editor herself, she knew they would be working very closely together, and she wanted it to be a good working relationship. 


Smiling as she found where she was going, she walked over. 


“Kaycie?” she greeted her. 


“Oh hi! Hannah...How are you settling in?” the slightly younger woman smiled back at her.


“It’s been good! Everyone’s been really nice.”


Kaycie smiled “Good! Yeah, we are kind of like a family here...So what’s up?”


“Well, I wanted to check on the benefit layout. I know I just got here but that deadline is coming up soon. “ She smirked a little “Also, I thought maybe we could grab lunch? Break the ice a little?”


Kaycie nodded “Wrapping up the benefit layout today. I can have it to you by….3? “ she thought before answering “And lunch sounds great! Have you been to The Local yet?”


Hannah smiled “Can’t say I have…”


“Their menu is insane...They have everything. 1 o’clock?””


“Perfect!” Hannah answered. It was then she noticed a laminated 8x10 on one of Kaycie’s cabinets. 


“Oh...Uh...Nice picture…” Hannah focused on it.


Kaycie followed her eyes and beamed “Oh my God...Are you an *NSync fan??”


“Uh, Kinda I mean-”


“Which one is your favorite??” Kaycie was grinning. 


Great. 


“Oh uh...I just appreciate the group, ya know?” Hannah managed. “Nostalgia and all that…”


Kaycie nodded “I’m TOTALLY a JC girl...since I was like...13” she giggled. 


“He’s pretty cute…” Hannah tried to be polite, feeling like she couldn’t breathe on the inside.


“UGH. So hott. Anyway...Wanna meet downstairs at 1?”


“What?” Hannah shook herself out of her head.


“For lunch...Wanna meet in the lobby?” Kaycie replied.


“Oh! Yes...Yeah that works. “


“Great! See you then,” Kaycie smiled.


This...was going to be interesting. Of all the places she needed reminders, this was not one of them.


**


Hannah took a sip of her iced tea as Kaycie finished telling her a little more about her career goals. She was driven, REALLY driven, and from what Hannah could tell, one of the most positive people she had ever met. Could be exactly what she needed as she started her new journey.


“So, I figure, why not stay close to home until I save a little money, ya know?” Kaycie finished.


“That makes perfect sense...Probably what I should have done,” Hannah chuckled a little. 


“No! Everyone is different...Plus, LA? That’s like...the dream around here. It intimidates me a little.”


Hannah smiled “It’s not as scary as it seems, not if you don’t want it to be…”


“So I have to ask...Why did you leave?” Kaycie asked carefully. 


Hannah sighed “Well..Life is funny. The opportunity is here. Besides, a change of pace is nice sometimes.”


Kaycie nodded “Well, the guys are nicer here...I can tell you that,” she laughed. “From what I’ve seen, anyway…”


Hannah almost choked on her food. “Eh. I’m not really paying attention to that. Happily single.”


“Yeah?” Kaycie asked “You need to teach me your ways. I’m so sick of dating,” she laughed.


“So..don’t..” Hannah shrugged. 


Kaycie giggled a little “I know, I know...Serial monogamist, though. I’m terrible. Since high school. I need a break.”


Hannah smirked “BELIEVE ME, so do I…”


Both women laughed. Hannah felt herself relax. She was starting to really like how laid back everyone was here.


**


A month later, Hannah had really worked herself into a groove at the office. Her and Kaycie worked really well together, and it was fun getting to know a whole new set of people. Her apartment was mostly unpacked, and she had made time to check out a little of the San Diego nightlife and restaurant scene. She was calling it research, since her main assignment was the “Around Town” section of the newspaper. 


10 am, and she was mid restaurant write-up when Kaycie came bounding up to her desk.


“Oh my God, Hannah…”


“Um. Good morning…” Hannah chuckled “What’s up?”


“Did you see what JC did??”


Hannah’s heart sunk into her stomach at the mention of his name. 


“Um...No?”


“Check your email...I sent you the link. He saved a baby on the beach! UGH..Can you imagine?” she swooned a little. 


“What?” Hannah looked to her email, confused. Clicking the link she found, she stared wide eyed at the article.


“Miami?? What’s he doing in Miami?” Hannah wondered aloud.


“I don’t know,” Kaycie smiled, encouraged “BUT there are a lot of studios out there...YOU DON’T THINK?”


“Oh um...Probably not. Maybe just a vacation or something.” 


Hannah’s mind was racing. It wasn’t like him to just up and have a getaway for no reason. He was such a homebody. 


“Maybe. He WAS with a girl, apparently…” Kaycie pointed out.


“What?” Hannah looked to her. 


“Yeah..See...Says right there...the family was talking to him and the woman he was with.”


“Oh...Yeah well...He has a reputation…” she tried to keep her voice even, her heart sinking deeper and deeper into her body. 


Kaycie laughed “If I looked like that, I would too...OMG Did you see him on Trevor Live last year?”


Hannah smiled softly, pausing before answering. One of the last events she had gone to with him. She had been SO proud of him and he had looked and sounded incredible that night. She got lost in the memory for a brief moment, remembering a happier time.


“Um. No. What’s that?” she bluffed. “Is that the one for LGBTQ youth?”


Kaycie smiled “Yep! They do a benefit every year. He sang ‘True Colors’ He is so amazing. I seriously wish he would perform more.”


Hannah smirked back at her “And you’ve never met him?”


Kaycie blushed “Once… like 3 years ago outside America’s Best Dance Crew when he was judging. We had standby tickets for a taping but didn’t get in.”


Hannah looked down, hiding her amusement. “Oh...Was he nice?”


“SO nice...Ok...I’m on deadline...Talk later?” she snapped back to focus.


Hannah grinned at her “Yeah...Talk to you later, Kaycie...I mean Ms. Chasez…” she teased.


“Oh my God, STOP…” Kaycie laughed. 


Hannah exhaled once she turned her back to walk away. Against her better judgement, she glanced to check for prying eyes, pulled her headphones over her ears, and searched YouTube. 


“JC Chasez (NSYNC) performs ‘True Colors’ at Trevor Live”


Clicking on the video, her lips tugged into a smile as she focused on the screen. As beautiful as she remembered. She felt herself melt a little, eyes soft. He hit an extended run at the end, and her eyes glazed over a bit.


“Damn it, Hannah…” she whispered to herself “Get back to work…”

** 

JC sat looking at the Ocean, his balcony table bathed in the harsh Miami morning sun. Lazily sipping his coffee, he wasn’t thinking about anything. His red shoulders reflected all the time he had spent zoning out. 


Getting nothing done at home, his 4 brothers had convinced him a little vacation might be a good way to cheer himself up and release some stress. So far, all he had managed to accomplish was drinking a little too much, getting sunburnt, and meeting women who could not keep his interest.


Still, time away had felt kind of good. Maybe that was the point. Not doing anything. No responsibility. No reminders of deadlines and self-imposed standards. No reminders of her. Her. 

He looked down to the paper that had been delivered to his room, wishing it was a different one. He sighed, silently scolding himself. 


This wasn’t LA. They weren’t going to have any San Diego papers. He shouldn’t even be READING any San Diego papers. It had become a new morning ritual, though. 


Coffee and the San Diego Union Tribune. A smile finding him whenever he saw her name. He had built an impressive mental list of events and restaurants to check out if he was ever in town. All on her recommendation. She really was a fantastic writer. Writer. No longer editor. He wished he could actually congratulate her. Take her out to celebrate. 


Glancing back through the clear sliding door to his room, he stared at the empty bed. Wrinkled sheets. On one side.


Would she have liked it here? He should know this. Three years. What had he missed in three years? He should have paid more attention. Always caught between casual and the next step. 

With anyone else, the other side of that bed would be wrinkled in this moment, maybe even occupied. 


Not after her, though. He didn’t need it to be. He didn’t want it to be.


Pushing the paper aside, he picked up his phone, mindlessly scrolling Twitter, until he stopped. 

Oops. He was still following her. Sunglasses on, she smiled against a short seawall, waffle cone in one hand, glistening water and a stilted wooden building behind her. In the distance, a ship accented the horizon. 


“I think I like it here…” she had captioned. 


He smiled as he found himself clicking onto her profile. A picture of boxes in an empty apartment. 


“Help…” the caption read.


And under that, there it was. The last picture they had ever taken together. And it wasn’t even their faces. Two hands holding two glasses, toasting.


“Let’s Go, 2012! <3”


JC let out a breath as he took in the image. Closing his eyes to take a breath, he navigated back to his own profile. Turning his phone around carefully, he positioned himself against the balcony wall, snapping a quick shot. 


“Sun time is Fun Time!” He typed the caption.

 

Was she still following him, too?

Chapter 12 by IvyVega
Author's Notes:

6 months later. We catch up with JC and Hannah as they move on. ;)

JUNE 2012


JC pulled into his driveway, feeling good after a great session with Jimmy. Creatively, he was feeling inspired again. He planned to ride the wave as long as he could. 


Making his way to check his mail, he grabbed a couple envelopes and made his way into the house. Grabbing a beer out of the fridge, he fell back onto his couch, and looked down at an envelope. A thank you from an event he had recently attended. Reading the card quickly, he moved to the next envelope. 


He pulled out a cream colored card with gold script and detailing embossed onto the page. 


“You are cordially invited to the wedding of Justin Randall Timberlake…”


JC sighed as he looked at the date. He had known it would be in October, but the date must have slipped his mind. Weddings seemed to be happening all around him. He had heard about Jade’s engagement periodically from both his circle and the press. His brother Tyler was getting married. In fact, the date on the card in front of him looked very familiar to him. Moving back to the fridge to check the invitation he had posted on the door, he bit his lip as he compared it to the new one.


“Damn it.”


Sliding his phone out of his pocket as he moved back to the couch, he hit the contact he was looking for.


“Hey C, what’s up?” Justin picked up


“Hey man...Just got the invite...It’s really happening, huh?”


There was a chuckle on the other end. “Yeah, man. Crazy, right?”


“All grown up, dude...Listen I uh...I didn’t just wanna send the card back or whatever...Not gonna be able to make it…”


“What? Why?!”


“That’s the same day Tyler’s getting married.”


“Oh shit, really? Damn...Well...It’s ok..That’s your brother, man…”


“We’ll have to get together to celebrate. I owe you one.”


“Nah. I get it. You’re good. We’ll definitely get together, though..”


“Cool.”


“C?”


“Yeah?”


“You doing ok, otherwise?”


“Yeah I’m good...Why?”


“Well..No one’s really heard from you since...I mean you went kinda quiet in the group chat…”


“Just been busy, J...I’m fine.”


“You sure, man...I mean that night we went out.”


JC sighed “J...Can you drop it? I’m over it. Just been in the studio a lot. Just got back from there, actually.”


“Yeah? Any good stuff?”


“I think so. Don’t know if anyone else will. Don’t even know what I’m doing with it yet, to be honest.”


Justin was smiling on the other end of the phone “Sounds about right. You’ll figure it out. Glad you’re working on stuff again, man.”


“Yeah thanks. It feels good.”


“Alright..I gotta go. Hit me up soon...and get back in the chat. We miss you.”


JC chuckled “No you don’t...But alright...talk to you soon, J…”


JC shook his head as he looked down at his phone. Another one bites the dust. He hadn’t ever figured the 12 year old kid who felt like a little brother would be getting married before he did. Then again, he hadn’t ever figured he’d ever think about marriage. The older he got the more he was happy with his life as it was. At least he thought he was. 


He hadn’t been sure why he had bought that ring. He remembered the day well. He was thinking about her. She had just left his house, and it occurred to him that his day always got a little more boring every time she headed off for work or couldn’t hang out on a weekend. Call it a whim, he was smitten.


By the time he got it home, though, his nerves had gotten the better of him. Realizing he had no plan, he hadn’t considered if she would even want to get married. It’s not something she had ever talked about. They had never even hinted at forever. Their relationship had just, evolved. They were together. Everyone knew they were together. That had been enough. Hadn’t it? 

He had become so comfortable with her, and her with him. 


Glancing around his living room, he noted how quiet it was. At one point in his life, that quiet had been his sanctuary. A moment to clear his mind. A space to just be himself, with no rules.

Lately, though, there was an emptiness. Most days, he didn’t even see half the place, and when he came home from a working session, it was just him and his thoughts. 


Sighing to himself, he grabbed his beer and headed to the balcony. The view of Los Angeles from his own space was his favorite part of his home, and it never disappointed.


****

Hannah sat in a buttery soft blush chair, feeling very much like she was on the inside of a fancy bakery cake. The room was draped in soft florals, ivories, and blush furniture as far as the eye could see. So very LA, but so very mood.


She was in town to fulfill her duties as maid of honor, a role she was finally starting to settle into. Jade had been a great bride so far. No meltdowns or demanding requests. She was enjoying the ride, and Hannah had to admit she was having fun helping her plan. 


Still, being back in LA had brought up memories and feelings she hadn’t quite planned for. Being in a bridal salon, gorgeous dresses and cases of wedding jewelry, seemed a bit of a sting, even for someone who had never thought much commitment, much less  about marriage- before him. She had worked so hard to sort through her feelings. The joy she felt when she thought about him proposing. The empty disappointment she felt when he didn’t. The fear and embarrassment of realizing how badly she had wanted it. The healing she had been able to create for herself so far, and the new life she was loving every minute of.


She was thriving in San Diego. At the top of her career so far, coworkers who had become friends, and all the beach time she could stand. Having Jade around again felt like home, though, and she had promised herself she would enjoy the weekend and make it all about her special day. 



“Is this too much boob, though?” Jade squinted at herself in the mirror, squeezing the upper part of a fitted mermaid dress. 


Hannah laughed “Well when you do THAT, it is…”  


Next to her, Jade’s mom, Linda, rolled her eyes and laughed along.


“Lucky girl, these all look great on you!” the sales assistant beamed.


Hannah smirked “She’s obnoxiously gorgeous, isn’t she?”


Jade stuck her tongue out at her best friend “Coming from THIS hottie over here…”


“Are you ready for the Marchesa,” the sales assistant’s eyes lit up.


Jade looked to Hannah “I don’t know...It’s so gorgeous, I just…” she looked down. 


“Jade...You’ve been looking at that dress for months…”


Jade nodded “I know it’s just...so much money.”


“Honey...You have to let yourself celebrate more…” Linda beamed at her. 


Hannah smiled softly. Neither of them had grown up rich. Their families had worked for everything they had, and a Marchesa wedding dress was something neither of them had ever considered being able to afford. Aaron had offered to buy the dress. Neither one of them wanted their families to spend a dime on their wedding. Being the woman she was, Jade had insisted on footing at least some of the bill, also. 


“Jade,” Hannah stood up to grab her friend’s hand “You deserve this. You did it. YOU made your dreams come true...and now you get to marry the man of your dreams. SO...Take a deep breath, and try on the damn dress!”


Jade giggled. “OK….” She beamed, nodding at the sales assistant.


Hannah helped as Jade stepped into the silk mermaid sweetheart gown, the sheer silver branch embroidery sliding perfectly over her arms and down to the middle bodice. Closing her eyes, Jade waited for a veil to accent the look before she considered the dress. Back to the mirror, she opened her eyes and stared at her mom and Hannah for reaction. 


“Oh...Honey…” Linda had tears in her eyes, hand over her heart.


Jade’s eyes shifted to Hannah, whose jaw was dropped, a dreamy look on her face. “Jade...Oh my God…”


Jade’s eyes went wide. “HANNAH...I SWEAR IF YOU CRY…”


“I don’t cry…” Hannah’s voice squeaked, hand over her mouth from doing exactly that. 


“Turn around, Jade...Look at yourself,” her mom breathed.


Jade turned to face the mirror, her own face contorting as she saw her reflection. “This...This is it..” she nodded emotionally. “Ohhh...wow…” 



Hannah beamed as Jade floated on air leaving the salon. 


“Should we get some dinner?” she turned first to her mom, then to Hannah. 


Outside in fresh air, the emotional impact of the day hit Hannah harder than she had realized. 


“Ya know what? Have you two had any time alone?” Hannah asked Jade and Linda.


Linda smiled appreciatively, while maintaining her motherly concern “Oh, honey I’m here for a week, don’t you worry about me…”


Jade smiled “Yeah  Han, come on! We gotta celebrate!”


Hannah giggled “Tell you what...Let’s do dinner tomorrow...after the meeting with the planner. I’m beat...Got some work stuff to look over, anyway”


“Hannah! You are on vacation!” Jade protested.


Hannah smiled “Soorrrt of. Had to sweet talk my boss into letting me take Thursday off.” she embellished.


Jade pouted. “Fine! But tomorrow...I’ll tie you down if I have to.” 


“You won’t have to...Looking forward to it. You two go enjoy!”


“I’ll see you tomorrow, sweetie..”Linda embraced Hannah in a hug.



Hannah sighed to herself. She needed time alone with her thoughts. She didn’t want to be cooped up in her hotel on the nice California night, though. Feeling a bit of a growl in her stomach, she decided to grab a bite to eat. But where?


Her mind landed on a familiar haunt. Some of the best food she had ever eaten in her life, though she had never been sure if it was the food itself or the comfort of it. 


It was “their” place. A habit. They could enjoy their time there, uninterrupted. It was one of the few places in town he was “just a guy.” One of the few places they didn’t have to dodge cameras. One of the few places that got him out of the house. 


She bit her lip as she considered it. It was probably a bad idea; self torture. Still, she missed that feeling. A little nostalgia was healthy, wasn’t it? It’s not like they had ended on bad terms. 

 

She sighed as she climbed into her car, already knowing the way. 

Chapter 13 by IvyVega

Pushing open the heavy wooden door, the smell that wafted into Hannah’s nose immediately comforted her as she closed her eyes briefly. Pausing before she approached the hostess stand, his eyes flashed into her brain. 

 

 

 

“Hannah?!” a familiar voice greeted her. 

 

Hannah grinned, meeting the smile in her direction.

 

“Toni! Hi!”

 

“Wow...Long time..Where ya been?”

 

Hannah blushed “Uh. San Diego. I’m writing out there now.”

 

“Writing? Oh wow you did it, honey!” The petite, older blonde beamed, looking just behind her “You alone tonight?”

 

Hannah’s heart jolted in her chest. “Um, yeah...Just me.” She thought it best to keep her answer short. She didn’t feel like making this weekend more awkward than it needed to be. 

 

Toni studied her, deciding to leave it alone. “Alright. Follow me. Got a new girl on tonight, but I trained her, so you’ll be fine.” she winked at Hannah. 

 

“Fine by me,” Hannah smiled. “As long as you have that cabernet…”

 

“A few cases since you haven’t been here to drink it all…” Toni teased as she set a menu down.

 

“Gina will be right over, love..I’ll get you a glass in the meantime.

 

Hannah laughed. “Thanks, Toni...Good to see you again.”

 

**

 

JC blinked as he stared at the same notes for about the tenth time. The page had gone blurry and he wasn’t even sure he could read his own handwriting anymore. He had the entire melody and hook of this song written in his head, but getting it down on paper to make a decent track was proving to be a much bigger challenge. 

 

Rubbing the bridge of his nose and yawning, he decided to call it a wrap on the day. He couldn’t remember the last thing he had eaten. Maybe some food would help clear his mind. 

 

Scanning his kitchen mentally, he realized his options were nonexistent. 

 

“Shit…” he muttered to himself. He had been so focused over the last week that he had forgotten to consider groceries.

 

Looking down, he also realized he had been wearing the same clothes for two days. Maybe he needed some fresh air for once.

 

Making a face at himself, he made his way to the master bathroom. Peeling off his dirty clothes, he climbed into the shower, the hot water immediately soothing his stiff muscles. Leaning into the cascade, he turned and ran a hand through his hair as he let it run over his head and down his shoulders. He already felt so much more relaxed. Letting out a breath he didn’t know he was holding in, he took his time to enjoy the shower and washing off the last two days - the last few weeks, really.

 

He had found his groove musically again, but truthfully it had been off and on for months.

 

Wrapping a towel around his waist, he dried off and stepped out of the shower into a now steamy bathroom. He cleared his view in the mirror, staring at the scruffy face in front of him. 

 

Grabbing the side of his chin, he turned to the side. It was almost a beard. He contemplated leaving it like that. No one to impress, right? One last look at himself, he reluctantly pulled out his shaving supplies and cleaned himself up. There was never any telling who would see him once he left his house, and he wasn’t in the mood to deal with bad paparazzi pictures. 

 

He managed to get himself dressed- a simple button down and jeans, and took a breath as he walked down the drive to his jeep. Before he realized it, he found himself pulling into a tiny valet lot, one he had been to many times before. He paused as he walked to the entrance.

 

What was he doing here? His brain had made a quick decision after deciding he needed to eat. 

 

He didn’t even remember considering anywhere else. Still, this might not have been the smartest move. 

 

Swallowing his nerves as he pushed open the door, the familiar bustle and low lighting welcomed him immediately. A lazy and soft smile found the corners of his mouth as Hannah crossed his mind. 

 

“Well look what the cat dragged in!” Toni chirped as she walked back to the hostess stand. 

 

“Hey Toni,” JC grinned by way of greeting. 

 

“Hey handsome!” she squeezed his arm. “Gotta make sure its really you…”

 

JC chuckled “Been busy…”

 

“Uh huh...Hiding in that studio, no doubt…” she smiled.

 

JC bit his lip “Something like that…”

 

Toni smiled. “Table for ...one?” she asked carefully.

 

JC nodded “Flying solo tonight.”

 

Toni’s eyes were dancing. She wasn’t quite sure what was going on, or why he had arrived separately, but it was none of her business. Still, she was definitely intrigued and would definitely be enjoying whatever decided to happen.

 

“Right this way, hun. New girl tonight...She’ll take good care of you, though. Merlot or Cabernet tonight?”

 

JC smiled “You’re the best. I’ll do the merlot. Thanks, Toni…”

 

“You got it, kid…”

 

She walked him carefully to a back table, glancing around the room as they made their way.

 

Out of the corner of her eye, she looked over Hannah, her head buried in the menu.

 

Smiling to herself, she winked at JC as she set his menu down. “Gina will be right over.”

 

**

 

Jc sighed as he lifted his wine glass to his mouth. He had been here one other time alone in the last 6 months, and this time felt no less weird. He was hungry, though, and this place was a little off the grid. He could relax here.

 

Casually glancing around the room, he thought he was losing it. Was that her?

 

It couldn't be. Why would she be here? In LA...in this restaurant?

 

"You need more sleep, dude..." he whispered to himself.

 

Lifting her eyes to Toni, who had just walked over to her, she smiled as they talked, and JC's eyes widened. Definitely her. He knew that smile. 

 

Should he go say hi? 

 

"Can I get you something to start?" Gina’s voice broke his focus.

 

"Uhh...I need a few more minutes..." he began.

 

"No problem. I'll be back." She smiled. 

 

"Actually, uh...Can you...Send a whiskey ginger to...that table over there."

 

The waitress looked in the direction he was pointing and smiled. "Brown hair...purple top?" 

 

Jc nodded "Yeah..."

 

He was met with a sly smile. "Sure thing..."

 

**

 

Gina made her way over to Hannah, fresh drink in hand, and smiled as she set it in front of her and cleared her throat “Um. Here ya go…”

 

“Oh...I didn’t order this…” Hannah politely corrected the waitress. 

 

“Oh, um...Gentleman a few tables over sent it.” She was about two shades redder than Hannah remembered her being when she had arrived. As she gestured toward the table, Hannah understood why. Shy smile on his face, he gave her a half wave.

 

Hannah smirked, turning back to Gina “Is it a whiskey ginger?”

 

The waitress nodded. “Yep. Top shelf,” she winked. 

 

“Thank you…” she smiled. 

 

“If you want to move tables, um, it’s not a problem,” the waitress suggested.

 

“Oh, um...No that’s fine I...I’ll go say hi in a second.”

 

She turned back to where JC was sitting “Are you sure? Cuz…”

 

Hannah blushed, chuckling a little before taking a long sip of the drink. She looked over, and JC was still looking back. “Um. Sure. Yeah...I’ll...just head over…”

 

Gina nodded, clearly delighted. “I’ll let the kitchen know and have a place setting sent over.”

 

Hannah made her way over to him, drink in one hand and bag in the other, sighing as she sat.

 

“Hi…”

 

He smiled at her “Hi…”

 

Hannah held up her drink “Thank you…”

 

JC nodded. “You’re welcome.”

 

She studied him, his expression cautious. “Are you alone or…?”

 

He smirked “Yeah...Took the night off…”

 

“Jace…”

 

“Sorry.” he cleared his throat,  “What are you doing in LA, Annie…?”

 

Hannah smiled, looking down “Uh...Wedding planning with Jade...She said Yes to the Dress…” she spoke in a cheesy tone.

 

JC offered a half smile “Ah. How was that?”

 

Hannah chuckled slightly “It was fine. She’s really very calm about the whole thing, surprisingly…”

 

JC nodded “They doing the whole big...party or whatever?”

 

“Uh...Yeah...Um...Can we actually not talk about-” Hannah answered.

 

“Oh! Uh. Yeah..Of course. Sorry…” JC looked down. 

 

Hannah softened a little as the color drained from his face. “It’s ok...”

 

There was an awkward silence as JC smiled back at her and  bit his lip “Is it ok to say you look good, Hannah?”

 

Hannah laughed a little “Sure…”

 

JC took a breath “Have you ordered yet...Can’t decide what I want.”

 

Hannah smiled “Besides the calamari?”

 

He grinned at her “Yeah...Well...Of course…”

 

Hannah pulled her menu up, studying the specials page as she spoke “You’re gonna get the chicken…”

 

JC smiled. “How do you know?”

 

She smirked “...You always get the chicken.  Every time. You act like you’re not...then you do.”

 

He stared at her, eyes amused and daring “Ya know what? I’m getting steak…” He closed his menu, tossing it gently back down onto the table.

 

A giggle escaped Hannah “I’m calling US weekly. This is a big deal…”

 

They finished dinner, two drinks in, and Gina came around with two smaller menus. “Are we thinking about something sweet?” she charmed.

 

JC swallowed while Hannah took another sip of her drink. Dessert had been their thing. They had always reasoned that if they shared, it wasn’t as bad. Maybe she shouldn’t have tempted fate by coming to a place that belonged to their past. 

 

“Uh. Ya know what. I think we’re good. We’ll just take-” JC started.

 

“Picklebacks…” Hannah blurted out.

 

“WHAT?” both JC and the waitress stared at her at the same time. 

 

“Two pickleback shots...Please…”

 

JC cocked his head as he looked at her, confusion clouding his face. 

 

“Um. Sure.” Gina smiled politely, clearing the dessert menus before she walked away.

 

“Whiskey…” he shook his head. 

 

Hannah smiled and shrugged. “Why not…”

 

“PICKLEBACKS, though?”

 

“Gotta meet Jade again tomorrow. Need the pickle juice…” she winked.

 

JC chuckled. “You haven’t changed, have you?”

 

She laughed “In 6 months?! Would take a lot longer than that...”

 

Their shots arrived a few minutes later, Hannah holding hers up “Ready?”

 

JC smirked “No…”

 

“Shhh” Hannah teased “Bottoms up.” 

 

JC chuckled as he shook his head and downed the whiskey, then the chaser of pickle juice. “Oh GOD that never gets better…” he winced, coughing a bit. 

 

Hannah laughed “You’ll be fine.”

 

JC smiled, watching her cheeks go slightly pink like they always did when she drank  “Why’d you come here tonight, Hannah? Of all the places in LA?”

 

Hannah sighed “...It’s...comfortable…”

 

A smile spread across JC’s face “Comfortable?”

 

Hannah’s blush spread “Um...Yeah, I mean. I was hungry...I know where it is…”

 

JC nodded “...You have good memories here…”

 

Hannah smiled “Yeah...I do…”

 

JC bit his lip. “Do we need another pickleback?”

 

Hannah giggled quietly “I think so…”

 

**

 

After three pickle shots a piece, Hannah and JC made their way out of the restaurant, the world blurrier as they went to say goodbye. 

 

Hannah stared at him, glazed over eyes pulling him into focus as he studied her through slightly clouded vision. 

 

He stepped forward, one hand smoothing down her hair. “I miss you, Hannah…”

 

Hannah’s mouth instinctively twisted into a hazy smile as she nodded. “I miss you, too…”

 

His lips closed over hers with a breathy sigh, pulling back slightly as his eyes smiled. “Annie...You taste like a deli…”

 

She giggled against him. “Shut up…”

 

“Okay…” he muttered, moving back to her mouth. His hands found her hair, pulling her face closer to his. She mirrored his movement, sliding her hands over his face to the back of his head.

 

She took in his breath, accented by whiskey, hot on her skin. 

 

“Are you-” he started to ask.

 

“Coming over?” she finished.

 

An empty chuckle, he grinned “I was gonna say ok to get home, but…”

 

“Yeah…” she bit her lip as her hands moved down around his waist.

 

“Annie, you can’t drive…” he shook his head softly at her.

 

She smirked. “Neither can you…”

 

“Share a car?”

 

“The valet…” Hannah glanced back at the lot. 

 

JC smiled, letting go of her to walk to the valet stand. Hannah watched as he had a quick conversation with the attendant, one they both knew, and pulled out his wallet. She giggled.

 

This was a new one for him. He had never been one to flash his money around. 

 

He HAD always been one to make sure she was safe, though…

 

Walking back over, he smiled as he wrapped his arms around her. “Taken care of. We can get them tomorrow.”

 

**

 

Hannah and JC tumbled out of their cab, arms around each other as they made their way into JC’s front gate. 

 

‘“Annie...I think you’re drunk... “ he teased as he turned to grab both her hands, pulling her toward the frosted glass entrance. 

 

 

 

Hannah giggled, her eyes flirty as she followed him “I think YOU’RE drunk…”

 

JC grinned as he moved to lace his hand in hers, walking alongside her.

 

“Whose idea were picklebacks?”

 

Hannah smiled “I’m not even sorry…”

 

“Mmmm...No need to be…” JC pulled her into him as they reached the door. 

 

Hannah giggled as he leaned down to kiss her, her tongue searching for and finding his easily.

 

His hands found her ass while hers moved up his sides, pushing his shirt up slightly. As his lips moved down to her collarbone, her hands moved around to his back. Pushing her shirt aside a little, he kissed the skin just above her breast, moving his hands to cup them.

 

“Mmmm Jace…” she purred.

 

“I can stop,” he paused, his voice a growled whisper.

 

Hannah shook her head “No...don’t…”

 

He grinned, hands sliding under her shirt to unhook her bra. Hannah giggled, pushing him away briefly to pull off her shirt and slide her bra to the ground, 

 

“Better?” she arched her brow at him.

 

JC bit his lip, nodding as his mouth moved to her chest. “Mmm...Yeah, mama..” he mumbled against her sin.

 

Hannah giggled, pushing him away gently. She shook her head slowly as she stared at him. “One of us has too many clothes on…”

 

He chuckled, eyes smoldering as he ripped his shirt over his head

 

 

“Now we’re even,” he charmed.

 

 

 

Hannah smiled, bringing her hand to his head to bring it back down to her breast. Her hands moved to the fly of his jeans as he lost himself against her. 

 

 

 

She felt a rush of air as he reacted, moving away from her enough to speak “Should we go inside?”

 

 

 

Hannah shrugged, smirking as she felt a bolt of excitement, “Why…”

 

 

 

He grinned lazily at her, guiding her gently to press himself into her against the frosted glass. Hannah giggled as a branch from a nearby plant grazed her shoulder, pushing it out of her way.

 

 

 

They stepped out of their clothes easily, feeling the late night breeze on their skin. Staring at her hair softly blowing, JC brushed it out of her face as he found her lips again. Lifting her suddenly, Hannah let out an excited gasp, wrapping her legs around him. She felt a slight give on the door as he pushed her against it, pressing herself against him. With her hands around his back, he found his way into her, wasting no time. His motion was not gentle, and her response not subtle.

 

 

 

“FUCK...JACE...UGH…” she called out appreciatively.

 

 

 

“ANN-IE...AHH” he answered her tone.

 

 

 

Their silhouettes casting a shadow against the door, they moved together. Skin on skin, their rhythm was passionate, hungry.

 

 

 

JC felt her fingers dig deeper into his skin, her body clenching slowly as she began to lose control. His own senses started to spin as he reached his own finish. JC began to slow a bit as he gave in, feeling himself release at the same time she did. 

 

 

 

His breathing was heavy and thick as he gripped her for support, her back sliding down as she found her breath again. She opened her eyes to smile at him, bright but melting him with her gaze. “I should go…” she bit her lip.

 

 

 

JC smiled back at her, a quick lick of his bottom lip before his voice came out as a low whisper. 

 

“It’s late, Hannah...Not letting you risk it…”

 

 

 

Warm in his arms, Hannah nodded. “Okay…”

 

 

 

A soft grin on his face, JC hoisted her up more securely as she wrapped her arms around his neck, head on his shoulder. He made his way into the house, clothes left behind as he carried her into the master bedroom. Sitting down with her still in his arms, he noticed her silence.

 

 

 

“Annie? ...Annie?” 

 

 

 

Glancing to his shoulder, he heard her soft breath, fast asleep. Smiling to himself, he carefully pulled her off, tucking her under the comforter before crawling in bed next to her.

 

 

 

“Goodnight, Hannah…” he breathed before drifting off himself.

 

 

 

***

 

Hannah smiled as a familiar smell of coffee woke her up. Her eyes opened to focus on her surroundings, suddenly hyper aware her clothes were missing. 

 

 

 

“Hey…” she heard from behind her on the bed “Nightstand…Almond milk and honey”

 

 

 

She turned to face him first, a half smile on her face “Jace…”

 

 

 

He shook his head. “Coffee first.”

 

 

 

He knew they needed to talk. He also knew this was something Hannah was not capable of without caffeine. 

 

 

 

She pulled the comforter up around herself, grabbing the mug. Looking down at herself, she bit her lip “Um...Where are are my clothes?”

 

 

 

JC smirked “In the washer…”

 

 

 

Hannah stared at him “What?”

 

 

 

He smiled “Uh...Well they spent the night outside, so…” He got up quietly, picking up a small pile from the top of his dresser and walking back over. “Here…” he handed them to her. 

 

 

 

She grabbed a pair of joggers from him and a t-shirt- one she immediately recognized. An LA Dodgers logo was screenprinted  across the front. Hannah couldn’t help but smile. 

 

 

 

“You left that here, so…”

 

 

 

Hannah nodded. “Thank you.” She ran her hand across the clothes and eyed JC. “Um...Can you…”

 

 

 

“Hannah…” he chuckled “Really?”

 

 

 

She sighed. “Right.” Smirking, she swung her legs out of bed, back to hin, as she pulled on the joggers and quickly pulled the t-shirt over her head. Laying back against the headboard, he looked at her. “So good morning…”

 

 

 

“Good morning,” she sighed. 

 

 

 

Scooting closer to her, he reached for her hair, Hannah stopping his hand “JC…”

 

“Hannah...There’s a leaf in your hair…” he grinned, moving his fingers to remove it as she relented. 

 

Hannah’s giggle became a laugh. “Stupid plant…”

 

 

 

JC matched her laughter, both of them eventually stopping to look at each other. 

 

 

 

Without a word, their lips found each other; gently, tenderly.  Pulling away, Hannah’s brow furrowed as she whispered. “Jace…”

 

 

 

JC sighed “I know…”

 

 

 

“Last night was...wow…”

 

 

 

“...But it doesn’t mean anything…” JC’s eyes were deep, resigned. 

 

 

 

Hannah nodded. “San Diego’s going really well. I can’t just-”

 

 

 

“Annie…” he grabbed her hands “I’m happy for you. Really. I’m proud of you.”

 

 

 

She smiled, her eyes light as she moved to lay on his chest, letting out a breath “Why is this so hard?”

 

 

 

“It doesn’t have to be…” he whispered, playing with her hair. “I don’t want it to be. When do you have to meet Jade?”

 

 

 

Hannah stared at the ceiling “at 2…”

 

 

 

JC smiled, looking at her “...Then we have some time to just enjoy this.”

 

 

 

Looking back up at him, her eyes matched his as she embraced the moment  “Okay…”

Chapter 14 by IvyVega
Author's Notes:

Short, but necessary. ;)

Hannah made her way into the lounge, the neon lit entrance immediately making her feel exposed. Having texted Jade that she arrived, her best friend grabbed her arm. It had been 3 months since they had seen each other. 


“HANNNAHHHH!!!” She exclaimed.


Hannah giggled “Um...Miss Bride are we drunk already?”


Jade shot Hannah a forced smile as she spoke through gritted teeth “Noooo...This party is extra. SAVE ME”


Hannah laughed “That’s YOUR manager…”


“WHATEVER...I need you.”


“Where’s Aaron?”


Jade rolled her eyes. “They have kidnapped him for whatever depraved activities were set up for the guys…”


In honor of two of his clients getting married, Eric had gone all out for a combined bachelor/bachelorette party. Ever an opportunity for more press, he had pulled out all the stops, and the whole lounge and bar area looked like something out of an elevated Hustler magazine.


“Here,” Jade handed Hannah a rhinestone necklace in a quite phallic shape.


“Classy…” Hannah made a face.


“Please just put it on…”


“No Boas?” 


Jade laughed. “I got to have SOME input…”


“Are there strippers?” Hannah wiggled her eyebrows. 


“The cast of ‘Thunder from Down Under’ is performing at midnight…” Jade winced.


Hannah involuntarily snorted “Oh dear God,” she grabbed Jade’s hand “Let’s go get you a shot…”


‘My hero!” Jade sang…



Hannah made her way around the room with Jade, pausing as she fielded warm wishes and playing photographer for a few cell phone photos.


“Who are all these people?” Hannah gave Jade a confused look. 


Jade sighed “Vendors, sponsors, network people...some of my cousins...My brother is with Aaron…”


“How IS Jordan?” Hannah smiled.


Jade gave her a look “Still no. You cannot go out with my brother.”


Hannah rolled her eyes “I was never going to. I wouldn’t do that to you. I just have eyes, that’s all.”


Jade scrunched up her face at Hannah “He’s fine…”


Hannah giggled. “Let’s go dance,” she pulled Jade onto the dance floor.


Letting loose for the first time all night, Jade laughed as the playlist moved through their teenage years and they tried to replicate moves from their youth.


Jade sighed and grinned at Hannah “What would I do without you…” She shook her head, much more relaxed. 


“Well I can fill the void a LITTLE…” a voice teased, wrapping his arms around her from behind. 


Jade beamed as she tilted her head up at Aaron. “You’ve been released!” She gave him a quick peck on the lips. 


“Hey Hannah, you made it!” Aaron smiled at her. 


Hannah smiled back “I did! I may have gotten your fiancee tipsy…” she teased. 


Aaron laughed “Good! She works too hard.” He kissed the side of her face. 


“What torture did they subject you to?” Jade smirked as she looked to him. 


Aaron gave her a look “It was HORRIBLE,” he said sarcastically “I was force-fed bourbon and got a media friendly lap dance…”


“What’s a media friendly lap dance?” Hannah asked.


“Awkward…” Aaron laughed. He looked at Jade “You better get ready for yours.”


Her eyes went wide “WHAT?”


He chuckled “You think they WON’T pull you onstage later?”


Jade covered her face with a hand. “I’m gonna need more shots…”


Hannah laughed at both of them, her face suddenly falling as she noticed something behind them.


“Hannnahhh….You ok?” Jade asked, noticing the look on her friend’s face. 


“Um yeah, fine...I just...I didn’t know who all would be here…” she looked down “Of course he is…”


Aaron closed his eyes briefly, sighing. “Shit…”


Jade looked between both of them, then behind her, eyes landing on JC as he talked to a group of guys. Her face twisted into concern.


“He um...Apparently Eric insisted…” Aaron explained. “He tried to decline…”


“Hannah..I’m sorry, girl...But...It’s been almost A YEAR...It’s still weird?” Jade questioned her.


Hannah sighed, avoiding Jade’s glance “Orrrrrr it’s been 3 months…”


“HANNAH RAE! WHAT?”


Hannah shushed her “Hey! A little louder, please? There was...a run in...It was...Whiskey was involved.”


“WHEN?”


Hannah bit her lip “Ummm…”


Jade thought for a second. When was the last time Hannah had been in LA?


“OH MY GOD. Please don’t tell me...Wedding planning weekend?!”


Hannah sighed. 


“I swear to GOD, Hannah…” Jade shook her head. Aaron looked up, pursing his lips together to avoid any reaction at all.


“WHATEVER. Look, just... I just don’t want things to be weird, ok? I’ll be fine, just…Gotta stay distracted”



“How about I go get us more drinks…” Aaron offered. 


Jade kissed him again “Probably a good idea…” She let her hand linger on his chest for a second.


“Hannah...He won’t be at the wedding...There’s that…” Jade offered.


“Yeah...Yeah I know.” She shook her head. “I’m sorry. Ignore me. This is YOUR night!” she squeezed her arm.


“Is it, though?” Jade made a face, laughing. “We’re wearing designer penis necklaces…”


Hannah lost her nerves for a moment, laughing with everything she had. “Ohhh my God, Jade...Your life is so weird…”


Aaron found his way back with drinks, as the three of them made the best of the evening. 

Hannah found herself much more relaxed, even offering to grab waters as they started to wind down a little. 


Making her way to the bar, she was stopped by a soft voice. 


“Hey Hannah…”


His face was kind, and his eyes were only slightly glazed, piercing in the lighting. She turned to look at him, a controlled breath before she spoke.


“Hey…” 


“How’ve you been…?” He bit his lip. Her hair was pulled halfway back, her natural curls in perfect form. Her dress hugged every curve without being suggestive, and a signature pair of gold hoops hung from her ears. She was every bit as gorgeous as he remembered.


“Good! I’ve been good...You, Ja-JC?”


She didn’t know why she stopped herself. There had been no fight. No formal agreement to stop talking after the last time they saw each other. All of each other. Distance and time had been the only thing that kept her from reaching out to him. 


For his part, he could take a hint. He respected her boundaries and didn’t interfere with the new life she had created for herself. He was putting himself out there again, albeit sparingly, but this had been the first event he had been to since their encounter. 


He smirked “Yeah uh...same old...You know.”


“ Right...Well, um...I should ...Lady of the hour needs water” She gestured toward Jade, who was staring intently at their exchange. Hannah silently scolded her with her eyes. 


They were interrupted by a woman in a much smaller dress than Hannah had on.


“Jayyyyyy-ceeeeeee….” She cooed “There you are!” She draped herself into his side and stared at Hannah with a goofy, dreamy look before turning her gaze to JC.


“Uh hey...Just...Getting more drinks…” He blushed slightly as his eyes avoided Hannah. 


“Well come on….” she grabbed his hand, burning a hole into his eyes with hers. 


He looked briefly to Hannah “I uh...It was good to see you, Hannah…” he managed as his new friend pulled him off. 


“You too, JC... “ she smirked. His back to her, she let out a breath, downing the rest of the drink she had brought with her. 


“Fuck…” she whispered to herself.


**

Deciding Jade and Aaron could use some alone time, Hannah excused herself, opting to use the restroom, then walk around a little. The one person who could make the night awkward had already been dealt with, and he seemed to be having a great time being single.


Hannah scanned the crowd, looking for anyone she might know. Her eyes landed on a familiar face. It had been years, but he looked mostly the same. He smiled at her, walking the short distance to her.


“Hannah?” his eyes squinted a bit.


“Yeah ...Uh...Andy, right?”


“That’s me. Wow. Been awhile. How have you been?”


Hannah shifted a little on her feet. “Uh...Good. You?”  


“Same old, same old…. Can I buy you a drink?”


Hannah opened her mouth to speak, catching a female giggle that distracted her. She shifted her eyes slightly in her direction, in time to see her leaving with JC, hand firmly on his arm.


Turning back to Andy, she smiled “Sure.”


**


“...SO...I guess I’m the disappointment in the family...Doctor, Lawyer, and then me...Music”  Andy continued as they talked. 


Hannah shook her head as she took a sip of her drink “You seem to do ok for yourself.”


He shrugged “Eh. I love what I do. Makes it easy...You know minus the boring paperwork and all.” He charmed.


She nodded “Yeah well...No one likes the paperwork.”


“What about you? Have you always wanted to write?”


Hannah lit up. “Yeah, since I was a little girl...My mom kept all the little ‘books’ I used to write...Mostly just scribbles.” she laughed.


“Hey those will be worth money one day when you’re the next Danielle Steele…”


Hannah giggled “Uh...Not that kind of writer…” she shook her head.


“Ah. My bad. Not much of a reader, myself. Hard to find the time, ya know?”


Hannah nodded “Uh huh…” She studied him. Comfortably handsome. His flirting was standard, but not offensive. There was something familiar about the way he carried himself, like so many men who had talked to her before. 


“You ever get tired of these parties?” he made a face at her “I mean..I don’t know how many of these you’ve been to, but...just standing around, being seen.


Hannah smiled, nodding “Yeah..It’s all a game, isn’t it?”


Andy chuckled “Feels like it. One ya gotta play, though…”


Hannah looked up at him, his gold watch clinking gently against his glass as he took a sip “Do you?”


Andy shrugged “It’s Hollywood, Hannah...It’s what you do.”


She smirked “I don’t…”


Grinning back at her, he focused on her eyes “You don’t, do you?”


She shook her head. “Nope. Not much into games. More a straight shooter.”


Andy smiled, intrigued “Yeah, that makes sense. Here for Jade, right? Supportive friend? This isn’t fun for you.”


Hannah sighed “I make my own fun.”


“Is that so?” he replied.


She smirked ‘Yep. That’s me…”


Andy took a breath “Do you think...Having a drink at my place might be fun?”


Hannah took a sip of her drink, nearly finished, as she looked back at him. “Only one way to find out, I guess…”


Smiling, he took her hand, leading her toward the exit. 


“Hannah! You’re leaving?” Jade caught up to her as they walked past.


“Oh um..Yeah...Jade this was great! I’ll...be in later ok?”


Jade looked from Hannah to Andy, a polite smile in her eyes. “Uh..Yeah. Sure.” She shook her head slightly, hugging Hannah and smiling at her “Thank you for coming. Love you”


“Love you too, Jade...I’ll see you later.”


Jade looked her best friend in the eye, an unspoken “be careful.”  It had been so long since she had given her that look.  She nodded, letting her leave.


She watched as they made her way out of the party, sighing under her breath “Oh, Hannah…”

 

Chapter 15 by IvyVega
Author's Notes:

A lot can happen in 5 years... ;)

JULY, 2017


Hannah let herself sigh as soon as the phone picked up on the other side.


“Hey! What’s up?” Jade answered cheerfully.


“Jade...What am I doing?” 


Jade knew Hannah all too well. 


“Well...I’m not a mindreader, but I’m guessing...Freaking out?”


Hannah nodded unseen “A little bit, yeah....San Diego is amazing. I’m happy here. Why am I leaving?”


Jade smiled softly before she spoke “...Because you need to stop running away from what you want...You deserve this, Hannah.”


“It’s just ...happening so fast. It feels like this has taken years, and now...It’s everything at once.”


“When it rains, it pours…” Jade chirped.


“Well..It’s snowing…” Hannah replied dramatically.


“Han, breathe...This is a GOOD thing and it’s gonna be amazing because its taken long enough. It’s where you belong. You NEED to do this, and I KNOW you want to...”


“What if it doesn’t work out?”


“It WILL. It’s gonna be different this time…”


Hannah sighed “I hope you’re right.”


“You packed?”


“Almost...Movers need to finish helping with the furniture.”


Jade heard a small crash on the other end, followed by a muffled voice.


“Shit,” Hannah sighed “I gotta go...You still coming in two weeks?”


“Of course! You know I wouldn’t miss it…”


Hannah smiled. “Thanks, Jade. I’ll see you soon.”



****


JC sat on his couch, mindlessly scrolling tv channels until his own face was staring back at him.


“Former *NSyncer JC Chasez is ‘Tearin’ Up Our Hearts’ again in the new Nettflix comedy ’Opening Night’ by playing...himself? The former frontman joins a star studded cast, led by Topher Grace, to bring us a not so subtle take on the world of theater. Spotted at the film’s LA premiere, he was seen cozying up to a new mystery woman…”



JC sighed as he changed the channel. Yeah...A mystery woman he hadn’t called, texted, or spoken to in 2 weeks. She had never been serious. Eric had thought it would be a good idea to appear “settled at his age.”


Too bad she was never going to be someone he settled with. They had had fun, at least.


JC looked down to his phone on the coffee table as a notification flashed across it. JUSTIN. Not the group chat. Weird. 


“Have you seen this?? This is HANNAH, Hannah, right?”


JC enlarged the photo that had just loaded. It looked like a flyer for an event, but as he looked at it, his heart briefly stopped. There she was. Staring up at him in a professional, black and white shot. A little older, but definitely her. Hannah. He squinted, trying to read the details.


JOIN US FOR AN INTIMATE SIGNING EVENT WITH HANNAH MARTIN, AUTHOR OF NY TIMES BESTSELLER “UNATTACHED.”


JC’s mouth fell open. NY Times Best Seller?!


“Holy shit, Hannah…” he smiled. She had done it. 


Moving back to the text field, he replied.


“Wow! Yeah...That’s her. This is awesome!”

“You should go…”

“To the signing?”

“Yeah, man….Why not?”

“J…”

“You were together 3 years, dude...It’s probably about you. :p “

“Ha...Ha. I doubt it, J...She’s not like that.”

“You should still go…”


JC stared at his phone, enlarging the photo again. He found a smile again, thinking of her as a published author-a bestselling author. 


Beverly Center. Sunday Afternoon. 


He scrolled to his calendar. Completely free. Before he could talk himself out of it, he dialed.


“Eric? Yeah hi...Listen...Can you get me a car...This Sunday...Around 3:30...Uh,” he chuckled “Funny you should ask…”


**

JC walked to the side entrance, patting the VIP sticker on his chest to make sure it was visible and in place. Eric had pulled some strings just to be safe, but he was still a little nervous. He pulled his light blue Dodgers cap low around his eyes, ducking his head as he made his way into the small greenroom backstage. He had been there all of 5 minutes when a familiar voice called to him, eyes wide. 


“JC??” she squealed in a low whisper. 


JC smiled, shaking his head “Hi Jade…”


“How did you,” she shook her head smirking “Eric!...Does she know you’re here?”” she asked him, knowing she didn’t have to say who.


“Uhhh...No. Actually, Justin saw the event flyer...Let me know.”


“Wow. Random! Geez...She’s gonna be ...surprised,” Jade laughed.


JC bit his lip. “Yeah uh...Was this a bad idea?”


Jade smiled reassuringly at him. “No. It’s not like she hates you. And it was what...5 years ago or something?” Jade stared at him “It was really cool of you to come…”


‘I hope she thinks so…” he chuckled. 


Jade’s eyes lit up suddenly “Actually...I have an idea.” An almost evil grin spread across her face. She walked over to a stack of books, grabbing one and walking back to hand it to him.


“Oh uh...Thanks...I read it...This week.”


Jade giggled “Cool...Not the point...Go out there.”


JC’s eyes got wide. “What??”


“It’s almost over. Not that many people out there by now...Go get in line…”

“Jade...That’s ridiculous.”


She shrugged. “Or it’s cute. Come on don’t you wanna see the look on her face?”


JC smirked. “Yeah, kinda…”


Jade clapped her hands together. “Yay...Go!”


JC shook his head at her. Still a bit of a troublemaker, that one. “Fine. I’m going,” he caved, holding the book on one hand.


JC slipped out to the signing area. Head down, he walked quickly to the line. Sure enough, he was at the end of it. The woman in front of him smiled politely at him in greeting, doing a quick double take as she processed his face. JC smiled back, pulling his hat lower and giving her a subtle warning with his eyes. She grinned at him quietly, a short giggle as she nodded in acknowledgement before turning around. His nerves got stronger and stronger as he waited, nearly chewing a hole into his bottom lip as the line slowly moved forward. 


Looking up briefly, he found himself next in line, pausing behind a small stantion. He mentally laughed at himself, much more used to being on the other side in these situations. 


As he approached her, he kept his head low. He watched as she politely turned to a handler, mumbling something he couldn’t quite make out. He had seen the look she had on her face many times before. She was tired. Effortless and focused, but mentally a bit worn out. He knew the feeling. 


She kept her head down as he placed his book on the table in front of her. 


“Who should I make this out to?” she asked as standard.


He smiled, lifting his head a little. “Make it out to Jace…”


Her head snapped up at the sound of his voice, that name. A slow smile and an immediate blush lit up her face.


“Um...Hi…”


“Hey Annie…” He smiled back at her “Congratulations…”


“Thank you...Uh...Am I actually signing this?” she teased, lifting the book a little.


He grinned at her. “Of course. This is a big deal.”


She smirked, looking down to scribble her signature. Looking back up to hand him the book, she noticed the VIP sticker on his chest. 


“Are you sticking around?”


“Do you want me to?”

 

She smiled. “...Yeah...I do.”

Chapter 16 by IvyVega
Author's Notes:

Short, but meaningful. Enoy!


Hannah entered the green room to a chorus of applause. Jade moved quickly to wrap her into a hug.  Hannah laughed, doing a cute little bow. 


“You guys this is just one signing.”


“Uh, NO, Miss Bestseller..It’s the FIRST signing and the start of you being the superstar we always knew you were.”


Hannah waved her off, turning red. “STOP. It took me long enough to write this one,” she laughed. 


JC stood in the corner, smiling as glasses of champagne were handed out. She was light on her feet, excited though she was being modest. Everyone in the room was treating her like the star she was, and her grace and humility was perfect. 


Hannah took a sip of her champagne and caught him in the corner of her eye. Walking over, she held up her glass to him “Cheers? Broken hearts club?”


JC grinned, clinking her glass. “Too soon, Hannah...Too soon,” he laughed.


“Thank you for coming.”


JC nodded. “This is amazing, Hannah...Really... I’m proud of you.”


She blushed “Thanks, Jace…”


“Hey um...Do you wanna have dinner later? It’s been so long I just-”


Hannah smiled, cutting him off. “That sounds fun.”


***

Jc studied her as he sipped his drink. Her hair was shorter, but it worked perfectly on her.

The same hazel eyes, but somehow they were deeper, more soulful. There was a wisdom there, undoubtedly from wherever life had taken her. It was gorgeous.


A casual smile as she matched his sip. Her energy was calm, confident. She had never been shy, but this was a new vibe on her. She was settled. Steady and sure.


“So...Did you read the book, or are you just stalking me?” she offered.


JC smirked, almost an admission. “What if it’s both?”


“In that case...I’d be a little impressed,” Hannah answered, taking another quick sip.


He smiled “I read the book, Annie...It’s amazing. The signing, well… Justin saw a flyer and sent me a picture...I’ll thank him later.”


Hannah laughed a little. “Always up to something, that guy...I’m glad you came. It’s good to see you…”


JC sighed “It’s good to see YOU…” 


He looked tired, but no less attractive. She stole a quick few moments to glance at the gray in his hair, the scruff on his face. Age had been very kind to him. ”How are you keeping yourself busy, Jace? Ya know...besides the movie...”


He grinned, blushing.


“You saw it?”


She smiled. “Curiosity got to me...It was...interesting.” She giggled.


“Too on the nose?” he teased.


Hannah laughed “Not at all, but it was a good time. I’d actually pay to see that show...”


JC laughed and shrugged. “It was fun to do…”


“It was good to hear your voice again...I was always upset that second album didn’t work out...Sorry,” she stopped herself.


A sad smile found his lips. “Yeah, me too. Things got...a little rough after that.” He sighed. “Probably why I wasn’t always the guy I wanted to be...With you...With everyone, really.”


Hannah nodded, a soft look in his direction. “Yeah...I get it.”


“The label just...didn’t get it..Or maybe I didn’t...I dunno. Things got tense. I should have opened up to you more about it. Instead I just...avoided it at home and took out my frustrations on Andy. We both did, on each other.”


“Andy?” Hannah questioned, sipping her wine.


“Yeah...Actually...You met him once..Andrew Collins...He was on the team then.”


Hannah almost choked. “Oh...Um...right. I uh...Yeah, I wish you had opened up more…”


She felt her cheeks go hott and her nerves race. Andy. Andy was part of the album?!


“Are you ok?” JC asked, noticing the look on her face.


“Yeah, uh...Wrong pipe,” she covered.


He smiled. “I’m sorry. Annie. I am. I’m lucky you’re even here right now.”


She sighed. “Let’s just...Enjoy this, yeah?”


JC smiled. “Yeah...Sounds good.”




A bottle of wine in, they both sat with full bellies. Hannah laughed as he finished remembering a botched date night they had had.


“I swear! That bird came from NOWHERE…” he laughed back.


“OMG Stop...I can’t…” she covered her face as she erupted into a fit of giggles.


He watched as her eyes half closed, the twinkle from her laugh barely visible. It was the same laugh he remembered.


“Hey uh...Do you wanna get out of here ..grab a drink somewhere ?” he asked.


Hannah smiled wistfully. “Jace I…” she sighed “Honestly...I would love to, but I have to get home…”


Jc nodded “Got it...Sorry I… didn’t mean to overstep…”


She shook her head “Oh! No...No that’s not it I...My daughter’s with a sitter…”


His brow shot up “Daughter…?! Oh...Oh! I..I didn’t know...I’m sorry, I…”


Hannah looked down, feeling the awkwardness settle in. 


“Liv… Um, Olivia… She’s 4…”


“Wow...Wow, Annie…” he smiled, before his eyes shifted as a thought danced in his head.


When was the last time he had seen her? The last night they had…

The room got a little warmer as he took a sip of his water. 


“Um...Her dad...Are you…”


Hannah took a breath, finding a small smile “Didn’t work out...ANYWAY...It’s getting late, so…”


“Yeah...Yeah..Listen um...Can we do this again? Maybe...not on a school night next time?” he charmed.


Hannah smirked. “Maybe...We can talk about it…”


“Okay…” he looked at her softly. 


There was a pause as they studied each other, neither one quite sure what to say. The bill came and they both reached for it, JC looking up at her. 


“Annie...I got it…” he pulled the check toward him.


“JC...Come on, no! I’m good for it…” she reached for her bag.


He shook his head “I invited you...It’s my treat.”


She offered him a half smile. “Thank you…”


Making their way out of the restaurant, they turned to say their goodbyes. 


“So...Caaaan I...get your number…?” JC stumbled, realizing how juvenile he must sound.


Hannah let out a half giggle. “You have it. It hasn’t changed…”


JC looked down, shoving his hands in his pockets awkwardly “Wow. Real smooth, dude” he laughed.


Hannah laughed and shrugged. “Not as bad as you think.”


She took one more look at him, her eyes now having a greenish hue.  JC smiled, taking a chance. Taking her hand in his, he moved closer to her, touching his lips to hers softly, tentatively. Hannah smiled against him, moving her lips over his slowly.


Pulling away slowly after a few minutes, his forehead rested on hers for a moment. 


“I uh...I have to go,” Hannah spoke softly, a glow still on her face. 


JC closed his eyes briefly, a lazy smile in reply “Yeah...I’ll call you tomorrow?”


Hannah nodded “Ok. I’ll talk to you later, Jace…”


“Goodnight, Annie…”


He let go of her hand as they parted ways, neither one of them able to see the other’s expression. Hannah’s full of happiness, nostalgia, hope…while JC was left in wonder.


Daughter. Hannah had a daughter. 4. The timing worked. Was there something she wasn’t telling him?


****

Hannah opened the door to her condo, smiling as she heard a small stampede before she saw it coming her way.


“Mommy!” an excited voice greeted her, running to throw her arms around her legs.


“Heyyyy baby…” Hannah smiled, lifting her up. 


“I’m so sorry,” Hannah’s sitter came trailing after Olivia. “She woke up when she heard the car. 


“It’s fine…” Hannah waved her off. “Thank you for staying later,” she set Olivia down and reached into her bag for cash to pay her.


“It’s not a problem...We had a good time, Right Princess Olivia?” she did a royal curtsy.


Olivia giggled and nodded. “Mommy did you have fun with books?”


Hannah grinned “I sure did...But I missed you!”


Olivia beamed before giving in to a yawn.


“Ok Princess Olivia...I think its time to go back to bed.”


The little girl shook her head “Nooo….not sleepy.”


“I think you are…” Hannah gave her a look.


“Mommy I thuuu-sty”


Hannah smirked. “No you’re not…”


“Uh huh…” 


“Ok...Tell you what,” she leaned forward with her hands on her legs “Go get in bed, and I’ll bring you some juice, ok?”


“Okay!” Olivia exclaimed as she disappeared up the stairs. 


“Thanks again…’ Hannah handed the cash to the sitter.


“Anytime...She’s my favorite. Honestly! “


Hannah smiled, proud of Olivia. “Good...Because I might need to call you again soon…”


The sitter gave Hannah a look, noting the glow on her face “I take it dinner went well?”


Hannah nodded “It did.”


“Just let me know,” a knowing smile was directed at Hannah before she left.



Kicking off her shoes, Hannah climbed the stairs up to Olivia’s room, finding her exactly as she knew she would, fast asleep on her bed. Carefully pulling the blankets over her, she kissed the top of her head and sighed. “Sweet Dreams, Livie…”


She took a minute to watch her sleep. So peaceful. This was her calm at the end of every day. She was the reason for every goal she set for herself, and the reason she could find joy in the smallest things. 


She thought about dinner. About JC. She hadn’t been sure she would ever see him again, and today had taken her by surprise. Her life was so different now, and he only knew a fraction of it. 

 

Would he really want to get to know who she was now; what her life was? So much had changed in 4 years, but right now, in this moment, she felt like a younger version of herself.

Chapter 17 by IvyVega


Hannah stared at herself in the full-length mirror of her bedroom. The dress she had wanted to wear had come from the furthest reaches of her closet, and pre-dated Olivia. It was a dress that had always gotten a reaction out of him, even though she had never thought it was anything all that special. Standing in it now, she understood it had been the fit of it all along. As she examined herself, it now hugged the wrong parts of her body. Her hips were all wrong in it. 


Hannah sighed as she felt her nerves set in again. The last 4 years had been evenly divided between Olivia and her career. Book revisions, publishing contracts, distribution deals, press meetings. It was a whirlwind. Finding the success she had always wanted, her larger focus had been being a mother- a single mother at that. She had been on a few first dates over the years, but nothing that had meant anything. Truthfully, her schedule had kept her from really pursuing anything. 

She thumbed through her wardrobe, discouraged. Not a whole lot of “fun” left. Her “look” these days alternated between “busy mom” and “professional author.” Settling for a long sleeve black floral top, she pulled it on over a pair of black skinny jeans, making a face at herself in the mirror. It had been awhile since she had dressed up for a night out. 


Having done her hair and makeup beforehand, she took a deep breath.


“He asked to see you again, Hannah…” she lectured herself “This is what you look like now…”


She let herself smile as the door gently pushed open.


There was a small gasp, causing her to look  to her daughter, now in the room. “Mommy...You’re pretty…”


Hannah felt herself relax a little as she picked Olivia up to sit her on the bed. “Thank you, baby…Are you excited for Grammy’s house?”


“Yeah!” she nodded 


“Ok, well she’ll be here any minute. Is kitty ready?” Hannah smiled, mentioning Olivia’s favorite stuffed animal. 


Olivia nodded. “Mommy..You’re going to work?”


Hannah bit her lip “Mommy has a meeting. But Grammy told me you guys are gonna make COOKIES…”


Olivia’s face lit up “Okay…” Her face tilted a little as she looked at Hannah. “Mommy…” she touched her lips “It’s PINK!”


Hannah giggled “Yeah..It’s called lipstick…”


“I want lipstick!” she sat up straight. 


Hannah smirked “Yeah? You wanna look like mommy?”


Olivia grinned, nodding. 


“Well I think you’re already pretty…” Hannah gently smushed her face “But just a little…”

She walked back over to her vanity, picking up a sheer lipgloss. Putting just a touch on Olivia’s lips, she smiled.


“Ok..Go like this,” Hannah showed Olivia, puckering her lips together. Olivia mimicked her mom making more of a fish face.


Hannah laughed “Yeah...something like that.”


The doorbell rang and Olivia hopped off the bed “GRAMMY!” she exclaimed, running down the stairs and forcing Hannah to follow quickly behind her. 


Making it before Olivia just in time to grab the door, she was greeted by her mother on the other side.


Sizing her up, her mom’s face lit up “Well, My God...Would you look at that...It’s my daughter…”


Hannah rolled her eyes “Mom...stop…”


“GRAMMY!” Olivia wrapped her grandma in a hug. 


“Livie girl!” the older woman cooed, grabbing her face in one hand “Does this child have makeup on?”


Olivia giggled “I’m pretty like mommy…” she puckered out her lips. 


Hannah’s mom couldn’t help but laugh “Yes you are...and yes she is,” she looked up at Hannah. 


“Sweetheart you look gorgeous!”


Hannah sighed “Thanks, mom...I need new clothes…”


“I’ve been saying that, but what do I know?” her mom teased.


Hannah laughed “Stop...Not like I ever go anywhere…”


“Well you are tonight...Are you nervous?”


“Is it that obvious?” Hannah bit her lip.


Her mom laughed “Honey! Relax,” she shook her by the arms a little. “It’s not someone new. Honestly I still don’t understand what happened there…”


“Mom…”


“I know, I know…’Shut up, mom’...But really, enjoy yourself. You’re young...You need to take a break sometimes.”


“I have a child,” Hannah gave her a look. 


“Yes, you do...An AMAZING child, who loves it when her mommy is happy...Right Livie?” she look down to Olivia, who was hugging her leg.


Olivia nodded “Have fun at your meeting, mommy!”


Hannah’s mom gave her a look, to which Hannah gave her a warning look back. 


“Ok sweet girl, let’s go. Mommy’s gotta get to her meeting.”


Hannah hugged her mom as they headed to leave “Thank you, mom.”


Her mom winked back at her “Have fun. I always liked him…”


Hannah felt herself blush. “Go…” she smiled

*****


“So how did the signing go?” Justin continued his conversation on the phone with JC a few days after Hannah's book event. 


“Uh...It was interesting. We had dinner.”


“Interesting? Good Interesting?” Justin sounded curious.


JC sighed “ Hannah has a daughter…”


“WHAT?! Oh wow...Um. How old?”


“4…”


“Oh...OH SHIT...C, do you have a kid?!” Justin asked as he tried to do the math in his head.


“I don’t know...She didn’t say...Just that it didn’t work out with the father…”


“Damn...Are you gonna ask her?”


“I mean...I kind of have to, right?”


“Uh...Ya think?”


“J...She looked good. Like REALLY good…”


Justin smirked on the other end of the phone. “Is there still something there?”


JC rubbed his hand on the back of his neck “Man...I don’t know. This kid thing, though...It’s throwing me…”


“You have to find out, either way, man…”


“I know...We did talk about going out again…”


“Good.”


“J...A kid? 


“Hey...If I can do it…” Justin chuckled…


“DA-DDYY” A high pitched voice interrupted them.


“Speak of the devil,” Justin continued. “Gotta go, man…”


JC smiled “Give that dude a hug from me. Talk to you later…”


**


JC turned off the engine in front of her house. Looking over at her, he saw a younger version of the woman in front of him.


“That was fun, Jace…”


“Yeah it was.” He reached over to squeeze her hand. He chuckled to himself, feeling like a teenager trying to make curfew.  


“I guess this is a little awkward, huh?” Hannah chuckled back.


“A little bit,” his eyes crinkled into a soft smile.” His eyes landed on her house, no light in sight.


“She’s with my mom…” Hannah blushed. 


Jc nodded. “I um...Whatever you wanna do, Hannah…”


Hannah smiled and looked down “Jace, uh...I’d like you to come in...but...If you do,” she sighed,” Look I’m...not the same person you knew. I can’t be. My life...kind of took a left turn…”


JC smiled at her, understanding in his eyes. “Neither am I, Annie…”


She blushed. “I think I have a couple beers in the fridge…”


He grinned “Sounds perfect…”



JC followed her into her condo as she turned on the lights. Looking around, he took in how far she had come since the apartment he had spent so much time in years ago.


“This is nice...”


She smiled, following his eyes “Um. Thanks. It works for us.” She made her way to the kitchen. “Sit down...Relax.”


JC smiled, making his way to the couch in the living room. Passing a few photos on the wall, he paused. An image of Hannah kissing a tiny girl caught his eye. They were both smiling. Actually, it looked like the little girl was laughing. He beamed as Hannah walked up to him, beer in hand.


“Is this Olivia?”


Hannah smiled, the love clear in her eyes. “Yeah...That’s my Liv…”


JC let out a slow breath. “Wow, Annie...She’s gorgeous…” 


Hannah grinned “Thank you...I think so…”


JC paused, eyes lost on the photo. “You’re ...a mom.”


She handed him a beer. “I am...Or at least that’s what she calls me,” she joked. “Crazy, huh? Me with a kid…”


JC turned to look at her, a soft smile. “Doesn’t seem that crazy to me...Amazing, yes. Crazy?...Not really.”


Hannah blushed. “Shall we?” She gestured toward the living room. 


Sitting down on the couch together, Hannah smiled, staring at him. 


“What?” he swallowed a sip of his beer, staring back at her.


“Just...This is. I can’t believe you’re here. “


He smiled “Yeah...Long time…” He took a breath.It had been a great night so far, but he just couldn’t focus. Not while he didn’t know. He had to know. “Hannah...Umm….”


“Yes…?” she answered him, concern in her eyes as she sensed his uneasiness. 


“Your daughter, um..Olivia,” he felt his mouth go dry. “Is she um...Annie...Is she mine?” His leg was bouncing as he looked to her. 


Hannah’s eyes went wide. “Oh my God…” she ran a hand through her hair before scooting closer to him to place a hand on his leg  “Jace...I’m sorry, I should’ve...No….She’s not yours,” she looked down. 


“Oh…” he bit his lip, looking down to fidget with the label on his beer.


“Jace...I would have told you,” she spoke softly. 


He nodded “I mean I...would hope so.”


Hannah sighed “She um. I...After we…” she stuttered, taking a breath and a sip of her beer “Well she wasn’t planned, “ she pressed her lips together. 


JC focused on her. There was conflict written on her face. It was clearly a story she didn’t like to tell.


“Sometimes...Those are the best things, right?” he offered.


“What?” she looked up at him.


“What we don’t...plan? That’s what life is, isn’t it?”


Hannah’s face fell into a smile. “Yeah...It is.”


“I’m sorry, Annie, I just...had to know.”


“That’s fair,” she nodded.


“Is she as direct as you?” JC teased.


Hannah blushed, laughing as she thought of her daughter “Well she’s a kid, so...yeah…”


JC grinned “Good! Strong like her mom…”


Hannah smiled, an almost shy expression. “You need another beer?”


JC let out a breath, looking at his empty bottle. “Sure. One more.” 


Hannah nodded, getting up to grab his empty. Leaning down, she kissed him quickly. 


She missed him more than she remembered, and older JC was even more appealing than the former model.


Returning with two more beers, she sat down next to him. Taking the beer from her to set it down, he leaned in to press his lips firmly over hers. Her sigh was content as she kissed him back. His hands travelled up her sides to just below her breast as hers rested comfortably around his neck. A few light pecks to wind down, he pulled away slowly, breath a little ragged.


“Ok...Ok...I’m stopping. I just needed to do that…”


Hannah grinned, blushing “Yeah...I needed you to do that, too…”


JC’s eyes were crystal looking at her. He casually reached for his beer and took a sip, looking at her. “You’re...flustered..That’s new...It’s cute,” he grinned.


Hannah sighed, laughing lightly “Well, No one’s ever kissed me like you, Jace…” she admitted. 

 

He grinned, biting his bottom lip. “I’ve never wanted to kiss anyone else like I want to kiss you, Annie…”

Chapter 18 by IvyVega

Hannah pulled her hair up into a messy bun, fending off the Los Angeles heat as she waited for Jade to arrive. Having lunch with her best friend was much more complicated these days, between her filming schedule, and the need for privacy. Jade had become a household name, and hanging out with her almost always meant a camera around the corner. She kept it at bay by giving polite sound bites and posing for usable photos until the paparazzi left her alone. 


As she sipped her iced tea at a semi-private patio table, she was interrupted by a slightly younger woman who had approached.


“Excuse me...Are you Hannah Martin?

Hannah peered out from her sunglasses, unsure the woman was talking to her.


“ME? Um...Yes?”


“OH MY GOD. I LOVE ‘Unattached.’” She pulled a copy of the book out from her bag. “It’s like...MY LIFE STORY...Would you mind if I got your autograph?”


Hannah’s jaw dropped slightly as she stared at the starstruck look focused on her. 


“Um...s-sure…” she found a smile “What’s your name?”


“Sara,” she replied.


“Do you...have a pen?” Hannah asked, a little embarrassed.


“Oh uh...Yeah, sorry…” Sara fumbled through her bag until she found a pen and handed it to Hannah.


Hannah smiled up at her before signing the book and handing it back “There ya go…”


“Thank you SO much...Hey, is it true you dated JC from *NSync? “


Hannah blushed “Uh...Yeah...Yes I did.”


“Wow,” Sara shook her head “That’s amazing. Um...Sorry to bother you. Enjoy your lunch!” 


“Thank you. Nice to meet you, Sara…” she smiled. 


Hannah blinked a few times to process what had just happened as Jade approached quietly, eyes following her as she did. Hannah smirked as she heard the whispers around her. 


“Ok...What’s with your face,” Jade looked at Hannah as she sat down.


Hannah bit her lip “I just signed an autograph.” she whispered.


“WHAT?” Jade whispered back, grinning from ear to ear. “Here?!”


Hannah nodded “Yep. Wow that was weird…”


“Kind of a rush, huh?” Jade smiled.


“Yeah...Ya know I didn’t think it would feel so cool…”


Jade giggled “It won’t after awhile. It will become normal...Still pretty cool, though. Always.”


“Well I’ll never be at your level.”


Jade shook her head and smiled “The way you write..You never know. ANYWAY..Let’s order so we can talk. I NEED to hear how it went with JC…”


**

As they ate slowly, the catchup session was focused mostly on Hannah.


“So ok where did he take you? What was he wearing?”


Hannah giggled “Nothing crazy. Private tasting menu...button down and jeans. Red boots.”


Jade shook her head “Yeah...nothing special…PRIVATE tasting”


“He’s shy...Food was amazing, though…”


“Yeah? Were there….ya know...sparks?”


Hannah blushed “Maybe...I dunno…”


“MAYBE? Look at you! You’re like a teenager!” Jade teased.


Hannah sighed “It’s just...been a long time. I had fun. I don’t get out much, you know that. And he looked...GOOD.”


Jade smiled. “Sooo..Your mom had Livie...Did ...Anything happen?”


Hannah smirked “He kissed me…”


“That’s it?!”


“JADE! We aren’t horny kids anymore. I HAVE a kid...I can’t just jump into bed with people.”


“He’s not ‘people,’ Hannah…”


Hannah sighed “Look, I have to be careful. He was a gentleman.”


Jade smirked “Boring...Speaking of kid, though...How does he feel about Olivia?”


Hannah smiled “He saw a picture of her. Said she was gorgeous.”


“Well, DUH...She IS..” Jade beamed.


“Asked if she was his…” Hannah bit her lip.


Jade choked on her food “You hadn’t told him she wasn’t?”


“I guess I didn’t realize I needed to…?” Hannah answered.


“HANNAH...You were with him for 3 years...And she happened...Well...Not that long after…”


Hannah sighed “Yeah, I know…He seemed...Disappointed?”


Jade coked her head to the side “Really?”


“Yeah...That was weird to me, too...but he seems ok with me as a mom,” Hannah smiled. 


“Did you tell him who Olivia’s father is?” Jade asked


“No...don’t think that’s exactly second date conversation. Besides, I don’t really know what’s going on yet. “


Jade grinned “What do you want to be going on?”


“I don’t know. It was nice. Hanging out again...Kissing him. I guess...I missed him.”


“No shit, Hannah…” Jade gave her a look.


“What does THAT mean…”


“WHO have you dated since him?”


“Ummmm...I don’t know if you remember, but I’ve been *kind* of busy being pregnant, having a child, being a single mother, and OH YEAH, navigating a career…”



“Uh huh...and EVERY guy you have gone out on ONE date with since then always has some sort of weird dealbreaker…”


“EVERY guy,” Hannah rolled her eyes “There’s maybe been 5…”


“Who were all apparently HIDEOUS,” Jade teased dramatically. 


“Jade…”


Jade grabbed Hannah’s arm as she gave her a soft look “I LOVE that little girl, and you are an AMAZING mom, but you’re STILL a woman and you deserve happiness…”


“I’m happy, Jade! Why wouldn’t I be? I have Olivia. I have a home. I’m doing what I always wanted to do.”


Jade took a sip of her drink “Just...Make some time for JUST Hannah, yeah?”


Hannah sighed “I’m fine…”


Jade smirked “He still as good a kisser as you used to tell me he was?”


Hannah blushed “Yeah…”


Jade grinned “You’re in so much trouble…”


**


JC sighed as he stared at his phone. He wanted to hear her voice, but he didn’t have a reason. 

They had only been out again 3 times, but who was counting. Having just gotten back into town from a vacation with his family, he found himself wanting to tell her about it. A tired smile finding his face, he decided to take a chance, and dialed her number.


“Hi Jace…” she answered, a hint of a smile in her voice.


“Hey Annie uh...Can you talk?”


Hannah looked down at her laptop, where she was taking notes for her next book. 

“Sure...Everything ok?”


“Yeah, um..I just got back last night…”


Hannah shut her laptop closed on the table in front of her. Olivia was busy with her crayons and weekend cartoons in the living room just off the kitchen. 


“How was Ireland?” she asked.


“Beautiful… I wanna go back…”


Hannah smiled “Nice. It’s on my bucket list for sure. How are your parents?”


JC smiled “They’re my parents. They had a blast, though… They remember you.”


“Oh yeah? My name came up?”


“Maybe…Is that a problem?” he grinned into the phone.


Hannah giggled softly “No...It’s not a problem.”


“What are you up to?” 


“Writing...Kind of...Trying to land on a solid idea…”


JC chuckled “How many do you have?” he asked, remembering her process. 


Hannah smirked “Three…”

“Are you outlining them?”


Hannah’s voice on the other end was a breathy chuckle “Yes…”


JC smiled “Sounds right. Can I see you this weekend?”


Hannah looked over to Olivia, crayon in hand as she carefully followed the dance lesson one of her shows was giving her. 


“Maybe. Olivia’s dad is supposed to have her tomorrow…”


“You don’t sound too confident…”


Hannah sighed “Just waiting for his excuse. I’m sorry...I wish I could give you a definite answer.”


JC bit his lip. “It’s fine. I get it. Why don’t we play it by ear...Come over...If you can. I’ll be here all day.”


Hannah smiled “I don’t wanna hold you up.”


JC grinned “Annie...Have you met me? I was gonna be here, anyway…”


“MOMMY LOOK!” Olivia’s voice interrupted them.


JC felt his pulse suddenly race. There she was. She was real. A tiny, adorable sound to remind him of how different Hannah’s life was now. 


“Livie..Mommy’s on the phone...Remember? Don’t be rude…” He heard her muffled voice. 


“Mommy, PLEASE look...I dance!” 


JC smiled to himself on the other end.


“HANNNAHHH…” he raised his voice so she could hear it. 


Hannah took her hand away from the bottom of her phone, speaking into it. 


“I’m so sorry…”


He grinned “You better go look. Sounds like she’s got somes moves.”


Hannah laughed “You have no idea. Can I call you and let you know about tomorrow?”


“You better…” he smiled into the phone. “Talk to you later, Annie.”


*****

JC smiled as he opened his front door to greet Hannah. He loved looking at her.


 She was dressed casually. Oversized flannel button down over skinny jeans and clean white low-top sneakers. Her hair was styled in messy waves, and she had just the lightest touch of makeup on her face and simple diamond studs in her ears. 


“Hey,” he grinned as she stepped inside. 


“Hey,” she bit her lip.  “Sorry it took me so long to get here.”


“Nah. Just happy you’re here. Everything go ok with Olivia’s father?”


Hannah rolled her eyes “It never does. She’s at his parents’ house. ‘Last minute thing’ he had to go to, so he is APPARENTLY going to meet her there. Whatever. His parents are good to her, at least…”


JC’s brow was furrowed. “Does he see her a lot?” 


Hannah sighed. “Not really. It’s always work or...some other excuse. When he does see her, it’s never for very long because she wants to come home.”


“I’m sorry, Annie…” he sighed. “That sucks.”


“Yeah well...You get used to it, I guess…”


He moved closer to her, wrapping his arms around her. “Sounds like you could use a day to relax.”


She smiled up at him and wrapped her arms around him in a hug. “Yes, please…”


JC grinned. “Can you have some wine, or…”

Hannah nodded “I’m cleared for a glass or two. She’s spending the night.”


JC smiled, leading her to his kitchen island, where a spread of sliced cheese, grapes, crackers and nuts was waiting next to a chilled bottle of red wine.


“Wooooow,” she teased “So fancy…”


JC laughed “Courtesy of Whole Foods….”


Hannah shook her head “Trying pretty hard, Jace…” 


“Maybe…” he smirked.


JC uncorked the wine, pouring them each a glass. They talked about his trip, and her ideas for a new book. Their conversation came easily, as if picking up where they had left off. 


Hannah nibbled on a piece of cheese, halfway through a second glass of wine, when the light shifted from the outside, bathing them in low light.


JC’s eyes caught the sun as it dipped in the sky. “Wanna go out on the balcony for a bit?”


Hannah’s lips twisted into a casual smile. An old habit of theirs. Hours spent catching sunsets as they enjoyed a simple moment with each other. 


“Sounds nice,” she answered. 


He smiled as he took her hand, leading her out and sitting next to her on the deck. 


Hannah closed her eyes as the late afternoon breeze hit her face, the familiar scent of jasmine filling her nose. JC smiled as the sun lit up her features.


“Still feels amazing out here…” she smiled. 


“Yeah...It’s a beautiful day,” JC agreed. 


They sat in silence for a few minutes, both of them in their own heads. JC was the first to speak, focused on how right it felt to be here with her, and the way she relaxed in the sun.


“Hannah...What happened to us?”


Hannah sat up a little straighter, turning to look at him. “What…?”


JC sighed, repeating his question “What happened to us? 5 years ago.”


Hannah’s smile was sad as she thought. “I don’t know, Jace...We were happy...Until we weren’t.”


JC nodded “Did we force things…?”


Hannah bit her lip. “I don’t know. I thought a lot differently then. Thought I was happy on my own...Then I met you…”


JC’s lips curved into a half smile “Same could be said for me…”


Hannah took a breath, letting out slowly “It’s embarrassing, ya know?”


“What is?” JC wrinkled his brow. 


“I knew you two seconds before we...God you must have thought-”


“I thought you were hott,” he admitted, a shy smile.


Hannah nodded. “Yeah, well...Feeling was mutual…”


“Annie, uh..You weren’t ever just...I mean...The sex was great, but it’s not why I kept coming back.


Hannah smiled “Yeah...Me neither. Not really.”


JC bit his lip “5 years. It’s a long time.”


Hannah looked down, sighing “Yeah...It is…I guess we missed a lot”


“I wanna hear about all of it, San Diego...the book...Olivia…”


Hannah smiled as she let out a long breath “Are you sure? It...might take awhile to tell…”


“I’ve got time, Annie…” His blue eyes were sincere, taking in every word she said.


She nodded, tears forming in her eyes. “It hurt, Jace...I didn’t want it to...It did…”


“What did…” JC was holding his breath. 


“When you said you weren’t ready…”


He sighed softly “Yeah...It hurt when you left…”


Hannah nodded “Well things got ...interesting after I did, so…”


JC bit his lip “Did he take care of you, Hannah?”


“Who?”


“Olivia’s father...When you-”


Hannah wiped her eyes as a few tears fell. “No…” she whispered. 


JC’s face was in his hands “FUCK…”


Hannah pulled his hand away from his eyes “That wasn’t your fault…Actually, it pushed me harder to finish my book”


JC smiled slowly “New York Times Best Seller…”


Hannah blushed “Signed an autograph the other day at lunch with Jade…”


JC’s grin grew “You’re famous, Hannah…”


Hannah giggled against her will, hearing that come from his mouth. “Hardly…”


JC nodded “I *might* know something about the subject, Annie...You’re a star…”


Leaning forward, he gently grabbed her face in his hands, hers moving to his face to match, He kissed her slowly; carefully, as she returned his touch. Their hands in each other’s hair, he pulled her into his lap, pausing to brush the loose strands out of her face. Her hand found the wave in his hair as she smiled softly. 


“Think you could fall for me again?” Hannah asked softly. 


JC’s grin was gentle, but deep “Annie...I already am…”


Hannah let out a soft breath, the world a bit fuzzy around her. She kissed him again, bringing his hands to her body. His mouth fell to her collarbone, nipping gently. Her hands gripped his arms as a light gasp escaped her. Looking up at her, his gaze was intense.


“Hannah…” his voice came just above a whisper. 


Her eyes were wild, focused directly into his. Biting her lip, she smiled and slowly nodded. She slid to stand as he got up, hands pulling up his t-shirt as he walked backwards through the balcony door into his house. Shirt off, his fingers made quick work of the buttons on her flannel, sliding it down over her shoulders. They made their way to the master bedroom, trailing clothing along the way. Reaching the bed, Hannah laid down slowly, sheets that immediately comforted her, as JC crawled to straddle her. 


Lifting his head, he took a moment to look at her. All of her. His lips moved down her body as she held her breath slightly. 


His eyes met hers and a smile found his lips “Annie...wow..” he breathed. 


She blushed as she looked away. “...A little different now…”


He kissed his way from just above her belly button to her lips, brushing some hair out of her eyes with his hand. 


“You’re beautiful…” 


 His eyes looked into hers as he kissed her again, softly this time. Hannah felt herself go warm, relaxing into his hands as they fell to her chest, circling every detail of her body. It was like no time had passed, yet so different. 


She remembered his hands. She remembered the way his lips felt as she met his mouth with hers. 


His hand went between her legs, his fingers sliding gently across and into her in rhythm. 


“Mmm” she softly responded.


JC grinned, nipping at her neck softly as he continued. She reached down, finding him ready, and carefully circled her wrist. They worked together, finding each other again.


His breath was hot on her skin as they lost themselves. After a few minutes, her head spinning, he quietly moved her hand off of him, removing his own fingers from her. Wrapping her arm around his neck, he slid her leg up at an angle, dipping his mouth to her ear, briefly. 


“I missed this... “ he whispered. 


Hannah nodded slowly looking up at him, feeling emotion wash over her. “Me too…”


He kissed just behind her ear, sliding carefully into her as he looked into her eyes. 


Hannah let out a satisfied sigh. It had been so long. He still knew every inch of her so well.


“Oh my God…” she breathed, her eyes fluttering closed. 


“Hannah….Ahhhh…”  He moved slowly, carefully, taking his time to feel her again. 


Hannah felt a rush as he moved, her whole body on fire, hands on his skin.


“Yes, Jace…” she breathed as her hips bucked up to meet him. 


She felt him go deeper, keeping the same pace, driving her into pure bliss. As she responded, JC felt his breath pick up. Unable to stop himself, his rhythm picked up, their bodies crashing together until they both let go. Collapsing gently on top of her, he let his head rest on her chest.


Hannah let herself be still, eyes closed, as she held him to her, taking in his breath as it brushed her skin.


“Mmmm I could get used to this again…” she smiled.

 

“Good...Cuz I kinda wanna keep you…” JC mumbled against her.

Chapter 19 by IvyVega

Hannah wrestled with her pillow as the noise disturbing her sleep got louder. She was exhausted; trapped between awareness and the inability to move. Groaning lightly, she rallied, propping herself up as a gentle hand stopped her.



“Hey...I got it…” he whispered. His hair was a mess, and his scruffy facial hair matched her own lack of sleep. 

“Are you sure?” she yawned.

“Annie...I got it…” JC smiled, repeating himself “Go back to sleep.” 


He kissed her cheek before leaving the room. She fought her eyelids as her instinct kicked in, relaxing when the baby’s cries got softer to a stop. In their place, the faint melody of his voice lulled her into relaxation.


Feeling the weight of the bed shift as he crawled back in, she beamed, eyes closed, as he pulled her to him. 


“Shhh I’m sleeping…” she teased as she melted in his embrace. 

“So is she,” he whispered back.

“Thank you,” she breathed. 

“For what? She’s mine, too, Hannah…”


Hannah’s eyes jolted awake, her heart pounding in her chest, as she let out a loud breath. Her eyes searched the bed around her as her brain caught up. 


“ANNIE...annie…” She was met with concerned eyes as JC gently touched her arm. “Hey...You ok?”


She sighed as recognition hit her “Yeah...Weird dream…” she smiled weakly at him. 


“Must have been...a bad one?” he studied the look on her face.


“No,” she touched his cheek. “Not bad...Just not real…”


He grabbed her wrist, kissing the inside of her palm. He glanced at the bedside clock.

“What time do you have to head out?”


Hannah glanced at the clock for herself and sighed, reaching for her bag to disable the alarm on her phone “About an hour. Picking her up at 7. 


JC smiled. “Coffee before you go?”


Hannah nodded “How do you still know me so well?”


“Easy...Never forgot,” he smirked.




They sat finishing a cup of coffee each in his living room, Hannah checking the time and sighing “I better go.”


JC smiled. “Glad you could come over.”

She blushed “Yeah. Me too...Dinner this week?”


“Ok,” he grinned “You let me know when.”


“When I know, you’ll know. “ she kissed him quickly.


“Ok…”


Hannah sighed “I’m sorry I’m so flakey. “


“You’re not flakey, Hannah...You have a life...and a kid.”


She smiled, her face falling a little as she remembered her dream. “Jace I...want you to meet her, I just…”


“Hey,” he took her hand “It’s ok. I get it. It’s a big deal. “


Hannah nodded. “She’s just so young and...Well her dad…”


“Hannah,” he looked at her sincerely, “I can wait. It’s FINE…”


“Ok…” she bit her lip. 


Starting her car as she pulled out of his drive, Hannah smiled to herself. She didn’t know how long they would last this time. She didn’t know when he would meet Olivia. She didn’t even know if she could trust her own feelings after so long, but she knew one thing- She was happy. Happier than she had been in a really long time.



******


“LIVIE...BABY...Come on we gotta go…” Hannah called up the stairs. She had fed her, bathed her, and helped her get dressed, but Olvia was still in her room early on a Tuesday morning. Hannah was trying to be patient, but she had a meeting with her editor she couldn’t be late for.



“MOMMY I need KITTY!” she pouted as she walked downstairs.


“Baby you don’t need kitty at school.”


“School?”


“Yes, honey you’re going to see Ms. Carly today…”


Olivia gave Hannah a confused look “Not grammy?”


“No Livie...It’s Tuesday...Remember...Mommy is going to work and you go to hang out with your friends.” 


Hannah was fortunate enough to write from home most days, but two days a week she had business meetings and Olivia went to daycare.


“Am I going to Grammy’s again tomorrow? You have another meeting?” she asked.


Hannah sighed. “No baby...Not tomorrow..Come on...Let’s go...You’ll see kitty later…”



Hannah looked in the rearview at Olivia in her car seat.


“Livie?”


“Yes, Mommy?”


“Do you like going to Grammy’s?”


Olivia nodded “Yes, mommy...When you have meetings!”


Hannah looked away for a second, feeling guilty.


“Honey...Mommy has to tell you something…”


“Tell me what, mommy?”


“Well...Did you know adults have friends, too?”


Olivia nodded “Uh huh, like Auntie Jade!”


Hannah smiled “Yeah baby...Kinda...Well...Mommy has a new friend, and sometimes, I go hang out with him…”


“To go play?”


Hannah laughed a little to herself “Um...sort of...But, well it wouldn’t be very fun for you, so you get to go to Grammy’s…”


“What about daddy?” she asked, a serious look on her face.


Hannah’s face fell as she sighed “Yeah...and sometimes daddy…”


“I like Grammy!” Olivia smiled, making Hannah smiled back.


“Good. Grammy loves you. Baby...Is it ok that mommy has a new friend?”


Olivia got a thoughtful look on her face.


“Is he nice?”


Hannah nodded “Very nice.”


“Ok, mommy…” she smiled, kicking her feet a little.


“Okay…” Hannah smiled.


****

JC turned down the playback, smiling as he picked up his phone.


“Hey Annie…”


“Hi...What’s that music?”


JC turned down a knob even more. “Uh...Just something I’m working on.”


“Is that English?”


JC smirked “Japanese…”


“You speak Japanese now?”


JC chuckled “No…”


Hannah paused “Huh...Interesting…”


“Turn it up for a second.



JC took a breath, turning the volume back up and holding the phone to it for a few seconds.


Biting his lip, he held it back to his ear “What do you think?”


“It’s...different. I like it. I have no idea what they are saying, but I like it.”


JC’s eyes crinkled as he smiled “All about the beat, Mama…”


“Well that’s the best part, so mission accomplished.”
“Arigato...So what’s up?”


Hannah giggled.  “Early Dinner Saturday?”


JC grinned “Sure...Where?”


“My place?” Hannah replied. “Can’t go far, but, my cooking’s gotten pretty good.”


JC smiled “Olivia?”


“She’ll be with my mom.”


JC sighed “He bailed again?”


Hannah nodded on the other end “Yeah, but my mom insisted, so…”


“Grandma time...Makes sense.”


“Yeah...I’m lucky that way…”


“I’ll bring wine,” JC replied, changing the subject.


“Just bring yourself…” she smiled.


“We’ll see…” JC teased.


***

Hannah answered the door with a smile in a cute cotton Max dress and hoop earrings.


JC grinned, giving her a quick once over. “Now who’s trying pretty hard?”


Hannah smirked. “Not really,” She squeezed his side quickly as he stepped inside and pulled her close to plant a kiss on her lips.


“Something smells good,” he grinned, hovering near her mouth. 


Hannah grinned “Lasagna…”


“Mmmmm...Yep...Trying pretty hard…” he teased.


She playfully pushed him away as she noticed the bag in his hand.


“I told you not to bring anything…”


JC shook his head “Too bad.” He pulled a bottle out and Hannah recognized the wine from their favorite restaurant.


She blushed, taking it from him “I’ll go get some glasses.”


JC watched her walk to the kitchen, and couldn’t help but staring at her for a minute, appreciating the subtle changes to her curves in time they had been apart. He was NOT complaining.




Finishing an early meal, they sat on the couch finishing another glass of wine,  tv on for background noise.


“Sorry this isn’t so exciting. Sunday morning pickup comes pretty fast…”


JC smiled, resting his hand on her leg. “Annie...I don’t need exciting…” 


She chuckled, taking a sip of her wine “Good, because boring is kind of my MO these days.”


His eyes twinkled as he looked at her “I don’t think so...Far from boring…”


Hannah grinned as she scooted closer to him on the couch, resting her head against the side of his body as he draped one arm around her. 


JC grinned. “Still a cuddler, huh?”


Hannah smiled as she looked up at him “I guess so…”


He leaned down to kiss her, taking his time. Her lips moved to meet his, a blush on her face as they pulled away. 


The moment was interrupted when the doorbell rang. 


“You order something? JC asked her confused.


“No,” she got up, equally confused.


Opening the door, Hannah’s face fell, her body language changing as JC looked on. 


“What are you doing here?” she spoke, her voice even but annoyed.


“Had a meeting nearby. Thought I’d drop by to see Olivia…” a voice answered. 


JC was intrigued, trying not to eavesdrop, but curious as to who was on the other side of the door. His voice sounded familiar-but from where?


“You didn’t call first. She’s not here…”


“Why isn’t she here…It’s Saturday” he challenged Hannah.


Hannah sighed “Yes, it is...and you canceled...again...so I made plans. She’s with my mom.”


“Oh...Well, I could go get her...Take her to the park or something…”


Hannah’s voice was hushed now, trying not to draw attention “You can’t...You can’t just make surprise visits. That’s not how this works. We had plans and you couldn’t keep them. Call me next weekend if you want to see her.”


“Hannah! I’m allowed to see my daughter. I ended this meeting early to get here.”


“Then you should have given me a heads up. Now if you’ll excuse me...I’m busy…” She started to close the door, his hand reaching out to stop it. 


“I don’t think so. Call your mom. I’ll go get her.”


“I said no...Move your hand.”


“Hannah...Quit keeping her from me…”


“I’m not. You can’t keep plans. I won’t keep letting you disappoint her.”


“She’s MY FUCKING KID TOO, HANNAH…”


That was it.

 

JC got up from the couch, making his way over to Hannah. 

Chapter 20 by IvyVega

“Are you ok-” he started, looking past her to see Andy. 


Hannah felt her lungs close in on her. 


“Andy…?!” JC stared at him. 


“Hooooly Shit…” Andy stared at him, a cocky smirk on his face. “Long time, Chasez…”


“Hannah...What’s going on…?”


“Oh shit…” Andy’s lips started to twitch into a smile.  “He doesn’t know…”


“Andy...Shut up…” Hannah narrowed her gaze at him.


“Know what…” JC looked between them. 


“Olivia’s mine…” Andy stared at JC.


JC’s eyes went wide, two shades disappearing from the color in his face. 


“Hannah…” He gave her a look. 


She closed her eyes, sighing. “Yeah...Yes…”


JC felt the bile rise in his throat, his brain pounding in his head.  A low rumble as he processed what he had just heard, he let a breath out, looking directly at Andy. 


“Then you can call later… She already told you she isn’t here. Take your hand off her property…”


Hannah’s eyes went wide as she looked at JC, almost holding her breath. “Jace…”


“Hannah...Are you letting him go get her right now?” he asked without looking at her.


She looked down “No. No I’m not.”


“Ok. Andy...You need to leave. “ His eyes were almost black as he stared back at the other man. 


A chuckle as he stepped back, Andy stared at Hannah. “Giving this one another go, huh...While you dumped off our daughter? Nice, Hannah...I’ll be back next weekend.” He glared at JC as he walked away, Hannah slamming the door shut as soon as he was off the porch. 


Turning around, she was met by JC’s stare, heavy breathing and eyes on fire.


“Hannah...What...the fuck…”


“Jace..” She started “Sit down…”


“I’m fine standing, actually…” his tone had changed.


“Fine. Then I need to sit down…” Hannah took a deep breath, sitting on the couch as JC followed her but remained standing. 


“So let me get this straight...Andy...Andy Collins...Is Olivia’s father?”


Hannah nodded, clearly uncomfortable “Yes…”


JC began pacing “Wow. WOW, Hannah…”


“JC...I didn’t know. You NEVER talked about that album with me. I tried so many times to talk to you about it, and-”


“DON’T do that.” he stared at her. 


Her heart was racing. “I didn’t know who he was…Not...Like that…”


“How long were you with him?”


Hannah turned bright red, swallowing hard before she answered “Once. I was with him once…”


JC’s head snapped back to her as he continued pacing. “What do you mean...once.”


“I MEAN ONE NIGHT, JC. I mean I finally got bit in the ass by a one night stand…” Her breathing was uneven as her head fell forward into her hands. 


“I...Hannah…” He was thrown off. 


“Say it. He’s a dick. I know he is. You don’t have to tell me I fucked up…”


JC sat down next to her. “Hannah...He...He knew we were together back then..”


“YEAH...I GET THAT NOW, THANKS…” she barked back at him. 


JC paused, taking a deep, slow breath to fight his disgust. “You didn’t date at all?”


Hannah got up, doing some pacing of her own “No. We- tried. He took me out. It was a disaster.”


JC nodded. “You don’t know what kind of guy he is, Hannah.. FUCK.” He ran a hand through his hair, his leg twitching. 


“Trust me...I do…” she looked at him “But he’s Olivia’s father. I can’t change that.”


JC stared at her, a dejected breath escaping him “I’m  gonna go.”


“Jace…” her eyes got watery. 


“Hannah...Not now…”


“Okay,” she nodded. 


“I need some time to think…”


“Yeah...I’m sorry…” she breathed.


“Don’t apologize to me...Not for this.” There was a look of pain and confusion on his face “Of all the guys, Hannah…” He rubbed the back of his neck as he got up. Pulling something out of the pocket of his jeans, he threw a picture on her coffee table. “I uh...I found that...Was gonna surprise you. Have a good night, Hannah…”


As he left, Hannah watched him, paralyzed by emotion. Picking up the picture slowly, she recognized the two of them, younger, happier- pre-front facing camera - smiling in an awkward selfie. 


Dropping the picture back onto the table, she let go, the tears coming hard and fast. 


***


Hannah sighed as Jade sat across from her at her kitchen island. 


“Jade...I’m fine. You didn’t have to come over. You have so much going on.”


Jade waved a dismissive hand. “Show isn’t filming and Aaron is being annoying…”


Hannah gave her a serious look “Are you guys ok?”


Jade laughed “Yeah...We’re fine. Marriage...I wanna throw him out the window some days, but he’s hott, so…” she teased.


Hannah smirked, shaking her head. “What’s in the bag?” she looked down at the tote Jade had set down on the island.

“Kettle chips, dark chocolate, gummy worms, and whiskey…” she smiled “Oh! And some Kinder egg things. They were Paw Patrol, so…”


Hannah smiled “Paw Patrol, huh?”


Jade nodded “Yeah those are for Livie, but I mean if they help…”


Hannah sighed “Thank you...but honestly...It’s fine.”


“Han...You’re wearing your sad sweater.”


“It’s just comfortable…”


Jade gave her a look “Uh huh...It’s comfortable EVERY time something has happened with a guy for at least the last 10 years. It’s ratty, Hannah...I don’t even know why you still have it…”


Hannah looked down.


“What exactly did he say…” Jade asked carefully.


“That he needed time to think…” Hannah said quietly, reaching for the bag of chips. 


Jade winced “Ahh...That sounds…”


“Bad, right?”


Jade took her time to answer, chewing carefully on a chip she had taken from the bag. “Not...necessarily...I mean, you kind of dropped a bomb on him.”


Hannah sighed “We weren’t together, Jade...and I DIDN’T KNOW who Andy was…”


Jade nodded “Girl...I know, but that doesn’t change the fact that they have history.”


“I know. God, I feel...Well I feel really stupid.”


Jade sighed “I know. I would, too, but you really didn’t know. At least its out in the open, now…”


Hannah’s eyes started to sting “Yeah...and this time he’ll be the one to walk…”


Jade took a breath “Maybe...But Hannah, if he can’t handle it...It’s better this happened now...Before ...Well before Olivia knows who he is…”


Hannah nodded. “She knows I have a new friend.”


Jade’s eyes widened a little bit “Does she know his name?”


Hannah shook her head “No…” 


“Well...There’s that…”


“Jade…”


“Yeah?”


“I still love him…” Hannah spoke just above a whisper before shoving a chip in her mouth.


Jade sighed “Oh Hannah...I know…”


They were interrupted by Olivia, having woken up from a nap.


“AUNTIE JADE!” She yelled excitedly, running over to her.


“HEY cutie!” Jade smiled, accepting her hug and lifting her up, sitting back down on a stool with her in her lap.


Olivia gasped as she looked at the island, Hannah having emptied the tote. “Is that candy?”


Jade nodded at her. “Yep!”


“Mommy can I have candy?!’


Hannah smiled gently, holding up the kinder eggs “Paw Patrol?”


Olivia’s eyes lit up “Yes, mommy!!” 


“Hey Livie,” Jade smirked, the wheels clearly turning in her head.


“Yes?” she looked up from unwrapping the chocolate egg Hannah had just handed her.


“What iffff...We went to see the big kitties at the zoo?”


“Really??” Olivia smiled.


Jade nodded “Yes! Just me and you...Auntie Jade and Olivia day...What do you think?”


“Mommy, Can I?” Olivia looked to Hannah, who was thrown off as she looked to Jade.


“Ummm…” Hannah hesitated.


“Hannah...Let me take my Goddaughter to the zoo, pleeeease?” she charmed, her eyes glancing at the whiskey and junk food suggestively. 


Hannah smirked, shaking her head at her best friend “Fine...Have her back before bedtime. 7 pm.”


“YAY!” Olivia wiggled in Jade’s lap, Jade helping her down.


“Livie, baby, go get your backpack, ok?” Hannah told her. 


Olivia made her way to her room.


“You’re ridiculous…” Hannah smiled at Jade.


“And YOU...need a break...and a drink,” she winked. “No soda, and ONE souvenir...I can’t promise I won’t give her fries, though…” Jade teased.


“HOW are you gonna go to the zoo, Jade?”


“Private tour...and security...Two. One for Olivia…” she smiled.


Hannah sighed “Thank you, Jade…”




Hannah closed the door behind Jade and her daughter, closing her eyes briefly. It was the first time she had been home alone in the two weeks since she had last seen JC- Since he found out who Olivia’s father was.


They had exchanged a few brief text messages, mostly checking in or saying hi, but things were strained. He hadn’t mentioned seeing her again, and she didn’t want to push.


She made her way to the kitchen island, pulling her sweater around her a little tighter. She picked up the bottle of whiskey, staring at it.


“Hello, old friend…” she spoke to herself. Grabbing a glass and twisting out the cap, she poured herself a generous two fingers and brought it to her lips, taking a sip.


It had been a while, and she winced slightly before letting out a satisfied breath. 


Grabbing the bag of chips, she made her way over to the living room, pulling a blanket over herself and flipping on the tv. 


***


Running a hand through his hair, JC sat barefoot on his bed, notebook and pen in hand. He had been fighting with himself for two weeks, holed up mostly at home; working through his feelings.


Things could have been so much different. If he had just asked...If he had just told her how he felt-How he really felt about her back then.


Even after they broke up, he stayed away. So had she. Except that one time. The one chance they had to change their minds.


He hadn’t wanted to ruin her chance at a career. He didn’t want to push her.


So much time wasted. Olivia could have been his. Instead, Hannah had been another of Andy’s victims. He hated the idea of her struggling to raise a baby on her own. He hated the idea of her with him, even once. The very thought of it made his skin crawl.


True to form, he was taking his frustrations to music, scribbling down memories and feelings in the form of lyrics. 


“You’re a grown ass man. Pull yourself together.Oh don’t go messing this up. Cause you’re making plans, giving me a hangover...Boy, when you talk too much. I ne-e-ever said I’m in love with you. But I ca-a-an’t take back all the things that lovers do…”


JC stared at the page. All the things that lovers do. Lovers. Hannah was so much more than that. She deserved to know that. And he wanted to be the one to tell her. The one to show her.


Then there was her daughter. Olivia was part of Hannah. She hadn’t asked for the father she got, but did he want to get in the middle of that? Would Hannah even want him to?

How could he be with her and NOT know her daughter?


Sighing to himself, he threw his pen down and made his way to the kitchen. Digging through a top cabinet, he found what he was looking for. It hadn’t been touched in years, but he knew it was still there. 


Pulling it down, he searched for a glass, settling for the first coffee mug he found and pouring himself a neat shot. He took a breath, shaking his head as he downed it, surprised at how smoothly it went down. Pouring himself another one, he pulled out his phone, scrolling down to her number, His thumb hovered above it as he took his second shot.


**

Hannah looked down from Netflix at the sound of her phone ringing. Setting the remote down, she picked it up and took a breath as she saw “Jace” flash across the screen. Thankful she had only had two whiskeys, she answered. 


“Jace?”


She heard a sigh on the other end “Hi Annie…”


Annie. Not “Hannah.” It was a promising sign.


Hannah bit her lip. “What’s up?”


“We should um...We should talk…”


Maybe it wasn’t as promising as she thought.


“Yeah...I guess we should.”


“When are you free?”


Hannah sighed. Not wanting to sound too eager, and full of junk food and feelings, she mentally scanned her week. Daycare days. Her meeting schedule was light this week, but she wanted to keep Olivia on a routine. 


“Tomorrow or Thursday. Olivia will be at daycare…”


JC nodded on the other end. “Ok. Do you wanna have lunch?”


“Is this a lunch conversation...or do you just wanna come over…”


There was a pause. 


“I can come over…” he reasoned.


**

Hannah answered her door with a breath, met by a slightly scruffy JC in a baseball cap, t-shirt, and jeans. He bit his lip as he stepped inside, handing her a fresh cut bouquet of flowers and a stuffed animal. 

“Hey…” he looked at her softly. 


Hannah fought and lost her urge to smile, soft eyes as she looked back at him. “Hey…”


“Hannah…” He found himself at a sudden loss for words, moving instead to wrap her in a hug, his head finding the crook of her neck. 


Gifts still in hand, she moved her arms up around to his back, closing her eyes as they embraced. “Jace…” she answered in an unsure tone. 


“I’m sorry I walked out...I...Well,” he took a breath “I freaked out…”


Hannah nodded “Understandable…”  


She held up the stuffed animal “Minnie Mouse?”


He grinned shyly, scratching the back of his neck “Uhhh...Yeah...That’s for Olivia…”


Hannah smiled “Thank you...Wanna sit down?” Hannah made her way to the living room as JC followed her lead.


Seated on the couch, Hannah was the first to speak.


“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you about Andy...I was in a weird place and I-”


“Annie...Shh.” JC stopped her “It doesn’t matter.”


“It doesn’t?”


“No... Well, it does...But I’m not letting him ruin things for me again. It was a long time ago. I lost you once, Hannah. I’m not gonna lose you again…”


“You’re not?” Hannah blinked at him. 


JC shook his head, eyes looking into hers “No...Not if I can help it…”


Hannah’s breath caught in her throat as she fought back tears “You can help it…”


Smiling, JC leaned forward, one hand on her cheek as he moved in to kiss her. Hannah felt a tear roll down her cheek as she kissed him back, wiping it as she pulled away. 


JC’s expression was content as he moved her hand away from her face to get a good look at her. 


“Annie...I love you.”


Hannah grinned as one more tear fell. “I love you too, Jace…”


JC sighed, a happy sigh, as he considered his next words.


“There is one thing…” he started carefully.


“What’s that…?” Hannah held her breath. 


He bit his lip nervously before answering. “I wanna meet Olivia…”


Hannah’s eyes widened just a bit, her heart picking up at his words. It was a big step, and a lot to consider given what had just happened. 


“Jace...I want you to know her, but...Now?”


“Annie, look...She’s the most important person in your life. I know she has a father. I know it’s complicated. But now that I know,  I don’t wanna be the guy who is taking up her mom’s time behind her back.”


Hannah smiled “She’s 4, JC. She doesn’t realize…”


“Maybe not...But I do…”


Hannah stared at him, loving him a little more in this moment. She sighed, nodding at him. 


“Yeah... You’re right…”


“ I mean, not saying it has to happen tomorrow. I just...Would like to get to know her sooner rather than later…”


Hannah smiled as she considered it. “Yeah...I’d like that, too…”

 

End Notes:

The song JC is writing in this chapter is one he actually wrote! 

"Never Said" by Gostan

 

https://open.spotify.com/album/0NTbOQuvCqxJZPUTyxVGcs

 

It is featured on the soon to be shared "Annie and Jace" playlist. ;)

Chapter 21 by IvyVega

JC held her to him as they enjoyed the silence. It crossed his mind how lucky they both were to have the schedule they did, especially after so many years and so much life lived.


Hannah smiled as his hands felt warm against her skin; comfortable and safe as she laid against him. She felt young again; grateful their paths had crossed after all this time. Certain they were supposed to. 


The moment was interrupted by a continuous buzzing from Hannah’s phone next to her on the nightstand. Getting up carefully, Hannah pulled a sheet around herself as she unlocked her phone and smiled.


“Good News?” JC sat up a little, noticing her expression. 


“It’s Olivia’s daycare,” Hannah blushed.


“Everything ok?” he asked.


Hannah smiled at his concern “Oh...Yeah. They send me updates. She drew a mouse…” she beamed.


“A mouse?” 


Hannah nodded “Yeah...They’re reading ‘If You Give a Mouse a Cookie.’ Looks like Livie gave HER mouse pizza…” she laughed. 


JC’s eyes crinkled as he laughed “Lucky mouse…”


Hannah bit her lip “You wanna see?”


JC’s eyes softened, studying Hannah for reaction “Um...Is that...Can I?”


Hannah scooted closer to him, kissing him quickly. “Yeah…”


She scrolled to a picture, holding it out for him to see. 


Taking her phone, he smiled as he looked down. A cheesy smile looked up at him, hands firmly gripping the paper she held. Her hair was up in a bun, a few pieces having found their way loose. Just like Hannah, he thought. Four uneven circles were colored in gray crayon with black scribbles making it look like a mouse. Next to it, a red and yellow triangle vaguely resembling a slice. The look on Olivia’s face was unmistakable, though. She was proud to show off her artwork. 


JC took a breath as he looked back at Hannah. “This is pretty cool, Annie...She’s pretty good…”


Hannah grinned, taking her phone back as she sighed. 


“Saturday…” she looked back at him.


“Saturday what?” he asked.


“Do you wanna meet her Saturday? No visit scheduled, so…”


JC grinned. “Really?!”


Hannah giggled at his excitement. “Yeah...Really...We can keep it casual. Lunch at my place?”


JC took her hand, rubbing his thumb across it.


“What’s her favorite place to eat?” he bit his lip.


Hannah thought for a second, laughing as she answered. “McDonald’s”


JC smiled “Then I’ll bring McDonald’s…”


Hannah giggled “YOU’RE gonna go to McDonald’s?”


JC shrugged “Why not? How bad could it be?”


Hannah shook her head “No sweet n sour…”


“What?” he tilted his head in confusion.


“For her nuggets. She hates it. Barbecue...And no soda...Apple Juice”


JC laughed “You run a tight ship, mama…”


Hannah laughed back at him “Surprise me for food…”


JC grinned “No pressure…”


Hannah smiled “It’s not me you’re trying to impress…”


JC sighed “Yeah I know…”


She squeezed his hand. “Hey...Just be yourself. She’s gonna be excited to meet you…”


***


JC swallowed as he walked in. He knew this was a big deal. He knew this could make or break whatever second chance he had with Hannah. He loved kids, but he had never felt so nervous meeting one before. 


Hannah smiled as she looked at him “She isn’t gonna bite you….She hasn’t done that since she was like 2…” she joked. 


JC smirked “Good to know…”


He followed her into the living room, where a dirty blonde little girl sat glued to the tv. She had Hannah’s eyes. Not noticing them walk in, she giggled at the action onscreen. His eyes went to where she was looking.


Marshall! He knew this one. “Paw Patrol.” He smiled to himself, and had never been more grateful his brother’s kids were obsessed.


“Hey baby….What ya watching?” Hannah cooed.


JC felt himself soften at Hannah’s maternal tone. It soothed even him. 


Olivia’s head snapped in the direction of her mom. “SKYE!” she answered excitedly as JC took note of her favorite character. 


“Cool! She’s awesome. Can you come here for a second?”


Olivia ran over to her mom, pausing when she noticed JC next to her.


“It’s ok baby...I want you to meet someone…”


Olivia cuddled up to Hannah, clinging to her leg. 


Hannah gently pushed her forward to look at JC.


“Olivia...This is mommy’s friend can you say hi?”


“Hi…” she whispered, barely peeking out from next to Hannah. 


JC smiled nervously and crouched down a little “Hello Olivia. It’s nice to meet you. I’m Josh.”


Olivia nodded.


“Liv… Josh brought us nuggets for lunch. Is that ok?”


Olivia’s eyes lit up “Oh...Yeah!”


JC watched her expression change, a smile reaching the corners of his eyes. “Do you like McDonald’s, Olivia?”


Olivia stepped a bit further away from Hannah’s leg, smiling shyly and nodding her head “Yeah…”


“Cool! Me too! But not sweet n sour sauce that’s yucky!” he winked at Hannah, silently thanking her for the inside tip she had given him earlier that day. 


Olivia giggled “BAH-BA-CUE!”


Jc smiled, holding up the bag of food he had brought “I got some”


“Happy meal?” she asked curiously. 


“Maybe...You wanna see?” he asked. 


Hannah grinned as she watched her daughter open up to him a little. 


Olivia nodded “Ok…”


“Livie ...Go wash your hands ok? We can sit at the big table”


“Okay, mommy,” she smiled before running off. 


JC let out a breath and Hannah rubbed his arm as they made their way to the table “You ok?”


“Yeah,” he bit his lip, “I think so...Hannah she’s ...pretty damn cute…”


Hannah beamed from ear to ear “Thank you...Just relax, Jace…”


JC smiled “Easy for you to say... Oh! I didn’t know which toy to get her so I got ...both? Hot Wheels or Barbie…”


Hannah giggled “DEFINITELY Barbie, but she does have a couple hot wheels she plays with, too” she winked “Good job…”


JC grinned. “I like you as a mom, Annie…”


Hannah blushed “What do you mean?”


He shrugged “You’re happier, more confident…”


Hannah laughed “Oh I have no idea what I’m doing half the time...She’s a pretty forgiving audience, though…”


“MOMMY I CLEAN…” Olivia came running back, hands out to show Hannah.


Grabbing them gently, Hannah gave them a once over “Hmmm...They look good to me….What do you think, JOSH?” she winked as she looked to JC.


JC swallowed the lump in his throat quickly, stepping a little closer to Olivia as she watched him.


“Um...Let’s see...Yep! Definitely ready for nuggets…” he replied.


Olivia giggled before climbing into her booster seat at the table and reaching for the bag, crawling almost onto the table to get to the bag of food.


“Hey! Young lady...Can you ask nicely, please?”


Olivia gave her mom a shy look “Can I have it, mommy?”


“Can you thank Josh for bringing it first?”


JC smiled. “Hannah it’s fine-”


Hannah cut him off with a look and he stopped.


“Thank you, Josh…” Olivia said softly.


“You’re very welcome,” he replied gently as he removed the happy meal from the bag and handed it to her as she grinned. 



They sat eating, Olivia mostly interacting with Hannah as she tore her nuggets into pieces almost strategically to eat them. Every few minutes, she was looking up to stare at JC, sizing him up in her way.


“Livie...Staring is rude,” Hannah gently reminded her. 


Olivia’s eyes moved to Hannah. “Sorry…”


Hannah smirked. “Don’t do it again…”


“Mommy He’s your friend?”


Hannah smiled and nodded as she grabbed one of her fries “Yes he is…”


Olivia smiled in JC’s direction “Do you write books, too?”


JC smiled. “Uh...Well...I write songs…”


Olivia’s eyes lit up as she looked to Hannah “MOMMY! …”


Hannah giggled and nodded “Yep...He sings too,” she whispered close to her ear. 


Olivia snapped her head back to JC “YOU DO?”


JC was red as he swallowed his bite of food “Um...Sometimes…”


Hannah gave him a look as she shook her head. 


“Mommy...Can I show him my piano?” she whispered to Hannah, low enough for JC to strain to hear what she was saying. 


Hannah smiled and nodded “Are you done eating?” she looked over to Olivia’s mostly eaten meal. 


Olivia nodded. “You sure?” Hannah confirmed. She nodded again.


“Ok. Go wash your hands and get it. DON’T run.”


Olivia smiled and hopped down, making her way back to the bathroom.


JC stared in awe. “She’s REALLY well behaved…” he blinked at Hannah.


Hannah covered her mouth in a laugh, raising her eyebrows “Ohhhhh not always…She’s showing off a little…”


JC grinned “Sounds like her mom…”


Hannah’s jaw dropped as she laughed and tossed a fry at him. “RUDE…”


Olivia returned, toy keyboard in hand, and walked to stand next to JC. “See!” she set the piano down on the table, banging on the keys.


“Whoa! That’s pretty cool, but ya know what? It’ll sound better if you don’t hit it so hard...Can I see it?” he held out his hands in request. 


Olivia twisted her body, a shy consideration, before she handed it to JC. 


Staring at the tiny instrument for a second, he used one hand to play a simple melody and hum the notes. “See? Like this…” he smiled at Olivia.


She clapped and grinned at him “Cooool!”


Grinning back, he raised his hand for a high five, which she immediately gave him.


 “You wanna learn how to do that?” he asked.


She nodded.


“Ok...Come here…” he smiled. Picking up the keyboard, he cleared a space in front of her booster seat as she crawled into it.


Hannah was silent as she watched in wonder. It was a perfect moment; one she could not have ever imagined just a few years ago.


“Ok Olivia….Listen…” He softly pressed each key for her to hear “E...G...B..D...F...Every good boy does fine…”


Olivia giggled “I’m a girl!”


He laughed “Yes! You are ...What about Every good...BUNNY does fine?”


Hannah covered her mouth, her grin almost embarrassing her.


Olivia nodded in excitement. “I wanna do it!”


“Ok” he chuckled.  “Press that….now that...now that…” he guided her slowly as she pressed each key in order.


“Nice!” he clapped “You played piano!”


Olivia was smiling ear to ear “MOMMY I played piano!”


Hannah was beaming “I heard it baby...That was so good!”


“Okay you sing!” Olivia looked up to JC.


JC smirked “You’re just like your mommy, huh?”


Olivia looked at him in confusion “Uh huh…” she charmed.


JC laughed, finding a button he knew would be on the keyboard. “Ok...You play. I’ll sing ok?”


The melody to “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star” started and Olivia scrambled to press keys in random order. 


JC sang along in perfect harmony to the pre-recorded sound as Olivia giggled.


Hannah eyes were misty as she quietly grabbed her phone, snapping a picture of the two of them. JC blushed as he caught her out of the corner of his eye.


An hour later, Olivia returned to watching tv on the couch, eyelids a little droopy from the excitement of the day. 


Hannah stood with JC at the front door. 



“Well, She’s amazing, Annie,” JC smiled.


“So are you…” Hannah smiled back.


JC bit his lip. “We should do this again...all of us…”


Hannah nodded “Yeah...We will. Slowly, Jace…”


JC placed two hands on either of her arms, “That’s fine…”


“Thank you,” Hannah whispered. 


“For what?”


“For trying...For being so nice to her…”


“Thank you for letting me meet her…” he replied.


Hannah sighed “Makes things pretty real, I guess…”


JC grinned “Things are pretty real, Annie…” He leaned in for a quick kiss. 


Hannah blushed as her face fell into a glow.


Looking back to the sofa, she called “Livie...Josh is leaving...Do you wanna say goodbye?”


Olivia’s head popped up from the couch before she scooted down and made her way over to them.


“You’re going to your house?” Olivia asked him curiously.


“Yes I am,” JC spoke softly to her. 


“Mommy,” she whispered, tapping Hannah’s leg.


“Yes, baby?” she asked.


Olivia got a shy look, gesturing for her mom to get closer. Hannah gave her a knowing look, kneeling down to her level as Olivia whispered in her ear.


“I don’t know. Why don’t you ask him?” Hannah smiled. 


Olivia grinned and looked up to Josh. 


“Can you come back and sing again?” she asked him, hopeful. 


JC grinned, his whole face lighting up “As long as its ok with your mommy, I’d love to!”


Hannah blushed, looking down to Livie “I think that’s a really good idea. 


“Yay!” she cheered as she did a little jump. “Ok, bye!” she smiled at him. 


Hannah and JC both chuckled as she ran back to watch her show.


He stole another quick kiss as his hand lingered on her cheek. “Ok...I’ll get out of your hair. Call me later.”


Hannah bit her lip “Ok. Bye Jace…” 


Hannah walked over to sit next to Olivia, wrapping her arms around her in a hug. “Hey Livie...Did you have fun today?”


Olivia smiled and nodded her head “Yes, mommy…”


Hannah smoothed her hair back as she looked at her. “What did you think of Josh?”


Olivia looked up at Hannah “Mommy he’s cool…”

 

Hannah laughed. “Yeah...I think so, too…”

Chapter 22 by IvyVega
Author's Notes:

Bit of a short one. Enjoy! 

JC smirked, a polite smile forming as diners around them grinned and whispered every few minutes. He should have been used to blocking it all out by now, but deep down, he would always be more comfortable behind the scenes, living his life privately. 


His lunch companions were a bit more outgoing about it, having signed a couple autographs already. 


“So...J here tells me you’ve had a little reunion of sorts...A certain author?”


JC smiled and shook his head “Justin has a big ass mouth...And he started it…”


Justin grinned, swallowing a swig of his beer before answering “Someone had to…”


“So it’s true? You and Hannah…”


JC nodded “Yeah…”


“Nice. I always liked her...Not that you brought her around enough…” Lance teased.


“Well…” JC blushed.


“They were ‘casual’” Justin air quoted before laughing lightly.


“Whatever…” JC mumbled.


“What about now?” Lance asked. 


“What about now?” JC countered.


“Still casual?”


JC sighed “Not...exactly...Things are ...complicated.”


“How so?”


JC looked to Justin, who feigned innocence as he shrugged.


“J didn’t tell you?”


“Tell me what?” Lance asked, a suspicious look on his face.


JC took a breath “Well, uh...Hannah has a kid…”


“WHAT?” Lance’s eyes went wide “Oh wow...and you’re...cool with that? I mean you never-”


“I know…” JC cut him off. “She’s a pretty cool little girl, though…” JC beamed.


“Oh damn C...You’re all in, huh?” Justin looked at him in almost shock. 


JC shrugged, reaching for his drink “I guess I am…”


Their conversation was interrupted by the buzzing of his phone. Looking down, his brow furrowed.


“Uhhh...I have to take this...Get me the tacos, yeah?”


JC stepped aside to a hidden corner to answer.


“Annie?” 


“Hey Jace,” she sighed “I have to cancel tomorrow. I’m so sorry…”


Hearing the frustration in her voice, he was concerned “What’s going on, mama…”


She let out a slow breath “Andy…”


JC winced, rubbing the bridge of his nose as he sighed back “Did he bail again?”


“He did…” she replied. “Livie was really looking forward to it. Ice cream. I should have known…” she sighed. 


JC nodded as he took a breath. They were supposed to be spending a day at the beach together the next day. He felt himself get sad when he realized his disappointment was more in Olivia being let down than losing a day with Hannah. 


“What was his excuse this time?”


“Same thing it always is...work…”


“Have you told her yet?”


Hannah was quiet “I had a meeting. She’s with my mom...I’ll tell her when she gets home…”


“I’m sorry, Hannah…”


“It’s not you...I just hate that I keep having to cancel plans.”


“That’s not you either, and we can reschedule...It’s not a big deal. Just...Make sure she’s ok. “


“Thanks, Jace…” Hannah resigned herself. 


They hung up and JC took a deep breath, closing his eyes briefly as he walked back to the table Justin and Lance were waiting at. His focus had been compromised. He had to find a way to cheer both Hannah and Olivia up.

****


The next day, Hannah brushed her little girl’s hair back out of her face, squeezing the stuffed kitten in her hands as she heard the doorbell ring. A puzzled look on her face, she excused herself. She wasn’t expecting anyone. 


“I’ll be right back, ok baby?” She kissed the top of her head and ran down the stairs, not wanting to be away from her for longer than she needed to right now. 


Opening the door, she stood caught off guard. 


“Jace...What are you doing here…?”


He smiled softly “Well...I was in the neighborhood?”


Hannah softened a bit “It’s not a good time...Liv is ...Well she really wanted ice cream… and her dad...who I might kill…”


JC smiled “Yeah...Thought that might be the case...So let’s go get some ice cream…” 


“You didn’t have to...Look I know we had plans…”


He shrugged. “ Plans change…”


A small voice interrupted them. 


“Mommy…” Olivia appeared next to her, tears still in her eyes. 


Hannah sighed “Baby I said I’d be right back…”


Olivia looked up at her and then noticed JC in the doorway, her eyes lighting up a little. 


“Josh!” 


He crouched down to her level.


“Hey Livie...I heard you wanted some ice cream…”


She nodded quietly.


“You think mommy will let us go get some?”


She looked up at Hannah, hopeful “Mommy, please?”


Hannah looked at her, then to JC and smiled. “Go get your jacket, baby girl…”


Olivia ran off excited “Can kitty come?”


“Of course! Cats like ice cream, too!” JC called after her.


Looking back, she giggled before heading to her room. 


Hannah turned back to him, eyes dancing. 

“You’re...something..” she shook her head, leaning forward to kiss him quickly.


He took her hand, rubbing his thumb over the back of it. 


“Just couldn’t stand the thought of her upset…” he cast his gaze up the stairs toward Olivia, and Hannah melted.


**


Olivia broke free from Hannah’s hand as they entered the cafe, way too excited about her ice cream to hold on any longer. 


“OLIVIA …” Hannah called as she went to grab her. JC got to her first, scooping her up easily.


“HEY little lady...slow down…” he smiled. She giggled as JC held her tight.  “If you fall and crack your head it’s gonna be kinda hard to eat ice cream.” 


“I’m not gonna fall!” she proclaimed .


“Well not NOW…” he smiled.


Hannah looked on, too caught up to say anything as she walked up behind them at the display case.


JC turned Olivia to face the row of flavors to choose from. “What kind of ice cream do you want, Livie?”


She was kicking her feet. “BUGGLE GUM!” 


“Bubble Gum?! Yeah? You sure?”


She nodded her head emphatically. “Yes! Buggle gum!”


Hannah laughed “Baby you know you can’t have bubble gum…”


JC gave her a questioning look.


“Mama PLEASE?” she pouted.


“Liv you don’t eat the ice cream…”


“I eat it!” she reasoned. 


Hannah laughed “Uh huh…”


Olivia gave JC a look. He had seen puppies with less pouty eyes. He shook his head. He had no hope of winning this one. 


“Pleeeeaaaaase?” he winked at Hannah. 


Hannah sighed. “You’re cleaning it up if she makes a mess” she whispered.


“Deal! One buggle gum for the livie-bug!” he smiled. 



They sat down with their ice cream, and Hannah stayed quiet. She was going to enjoy this. JC had no idea what he was in for. She took a bite from her own cup, and watched as Olivia immediately dug her little fingers carefully into the cold scoop to retrieve a gumball. 


“Livie...You have a spoon…” she reminded her.


With mischievous eyes, Olivia lowered her gaze and silently picked up her spoon. Her effort resulted in flinging a gumball to the floor, a little sigh escaping her. 


“Hey what’s that taste like?” JC tried.


“Buggle gum…” Olivia answered him, staring at him like he had three heads.


JC bit his lip. “Yeah? You sure? You haven’t even eaten any of it.”


Olivia looked down at her cup, considering his words. She carefully scooped some ice cream into her spoon and took a bite. 


“It’s yummy!” she exclaimed.


JC smiled “Nice...Have more!”


He looked to Hannah, proud. 


Hannah sighed, amused, directing his attention back to Olivia, who had taken another bite, only to spit half of it back into the cup. As he looked to her, she proudly produced a gumball from her mouth. “It’s pink!” 


JC stifled the urge to laugh. “Olivia, eat the ice cream…”


The next 20 minutes consisted of the three of them enjoying their treats, while Olivia made her way through a gumball excavation. Ice cream half melted, Olivia found one more gumball, digging for it as she lost her grip, sending melted liquid flying directly onto JC’s shirt. 


Staring up at him with a gumball and ice cream stained mouth, she laughed. 


“Livie...That wasn’t very nice…” JC looked at her.


“I’m sorry!” she cheerfully apologized. 


Hannah looked on. “Livie...You’re a mess!”


She shook her head “Noooo”


“Yeesssss” Hannah teased back at her. 


“I got it…” JC smiled, getting up to grab more napkins.


He came back and set to work on Olivia’s face.


“No!” she wriggled, backing away from the napkin. 


“Livie can I see your hands?” he asked softly.


She held them out, JC wiping them but finding the napkins sticking to the congealed sugar stains.


Olivia shook her hands to try to get them off as JC pulled bits of paper away, and tried wiping his own shirt.


After a few minutes, Hannah laughed softly.


“What?” JC looked at her.


Sighing, she dug into her bag, producing a package of baby wipes and a stain remover wipe.

“Need these?”


A slow smile crept across JC’s face. “You’ve been holding out on me…”


“You had to learn the hard way, grasshopper…” she winked.


Chuckling, he took the wipes and repeated his clean up efforts on Olivia. 


This time, it went much more smoothly.


“Well THAT’S better...You look like Olivia again!” he smiled at her. 


Olivia kicked her legs back and forth, the sugar setting in.


“Ready to get home, baby?” she cooed at Hannah.


Olivia nodded then looked at JC “Thank you for the ice cream….”


JC grinned. Such a tiny, polite human. “You’re welcome, cutie..”



Hannah and JC made their way back to Hannah’s house, Olivia knocking out in the back seat not long after they had gotten in the car. 


Hannah beamed at him from the passenger’s seat. “You were really good with her…”


JC smiled “That was fun.”


“Your cleaning skills could use some work, but, she likes you…”


JC smirked “I like her…”


Hannah sighed “Jace look I know...a lot is different. It’s been years and I have a kid. You have your whole career going and this was really nice, but, I know it’s a lot to be around.”


JC smiled, focused on the road as he spoke “It’s great to be around. “


Hannah bit her lip “For now. She’s cute and little and, well she was mostly behaving today. It’s not always like that. But she’s my priority. Always.” She sighed. “I’ll have to cancel more plans. I’m tired a LOT more. “


“Hannah...I’m a big boy...I can handle it.” JC reassured her.


She pressed her head back into the seat. “Yeah...I’ve heard that before…” she mumbled.


JC sighed “Hannah...I’m not him. I’m not even me from all those years ago. You’re right. I’ve made mistakes.  I DON’T know much about what comes with having a kid around. But I can learn. I can try. As much as you want me to. Hannah, she’s part of you, and I want BOTH of you in my life.”

 

Hannah smiled, glancing back at her daughter sleeping in the backseat, and then to JC behind the wheel. She had to admit, she could get used to this. It was the life she could have never known she wanted, even if it had taken a few detours and unexpected paths to get here. 

Chapter 23 by IvyVega

Hannah sat on her couch, ready way too early, picking at her cuticles. She was excited but half nervous. She rarely thought of just herself anymore, but JC had insisted she do so for at least one night. 


Olivia had spent the day with her mom, and would be there through tomorrow. Two days alone. Time for just the two of them. Their first proper date since things had gotten more serious again. 


She had butterflies in her stomach, and couldn’t help but laugh at herself. 


“You’re a grown woman, Hannah. You have a child. Stop being a teenager.” 


She couldn’t help it, though. He had that effect on her. Maybe even more now than when they were younger. It meant more now to her. All these years later, with a child to boot, and he was sticking around. She smiled at her thoughts as the doorbell rang.


She took a quick breath before answering the door. He was dressed casually, but it was unfair how good this man looked in jeans. His hair had started to grow just a bit, and a tiny bit of scruff was still on his face. He had opted for glasses, which were way too cute on him. 


“Hey,” she bit her lip.


JC grinned “Hey mama…” He kissed her quickly before taking her hand softly and looking her up and down. “Good...You’re wearing sneakers” 


Hannah shrugged. “You said casual. Where are we going?”


He shook his head “Nuh uh. I told you..It’s a surprise…” he smiled. 


Hannah smirked “Well, Am I dressed ok for it?” 


JC looked at her “You look perfect…” 


Hannah blushed “Stop it…” She walked past him onto the porch as she shut the door. 




Inside his car, Hannah was a bit quiet, looking down immediately when her phone chirped. Typing quietly, Hannah’s brow was all focus and her eyes showed their concern. 


“Olivia?” JC looked over at her quickly, a soft look on his face.


Hannah sighed “She doesn’t like what my mom made for dinner. So they went to to get pizza. And soda…”


JC smiled, fighting a laugh “Hannah...Did you never have soda as a kid?”


She paused, giving him a look “I mean...I did.”


Keeping one hand on the wheel, he reached his other over to hers to squeeze it. “She’s fine, Annie...Your mom raised you, right? And you turned out pretty damn good…” 


Hannah sighed, her tension easing with his touch. “I guess so…”


“Relax a little, ok? Tonight...Is about you. FUN. We’re gonna have fun. Is that ok?”


Hannah smiled “Yeah...That’s ok…”


“Good. Because I’m gonna need your help…” he smirked.


“What does THAT mean…” she asked suspiciously.


“You’ll see…” JC chirped back.


**

Hannah stared at the building in front of them.


“60 Out” she read the sign.”What is this?”


JC smiled. “Let’s go find out…” He grabbed her hand as they walked in.


A sharply dressed 20 something greeted them.


“Mr. Chasez. So good to see you.”


Hannah started to look around, noting context clues all over the lobby area. 


“...Escape room?” she whispered to JC, her eyes amused.


JC quietly nodded. “Uh huh…”


The man smiled again in their direction “Right this way. The room is ready to go. We just need to have you sign some waivers, and then you can begin whenever you are ready.”


Hannah smiled and looked around as the man got the paperwork ready.


“Jace...Um...It’s a Friday night...Where are all the other people?”


JC grinned, his eyes suddenly lighter “I may have rented out the place…”


Hannah’s eyes went wide “The ENTIRE place??” 


JC nodded. “Just for a couple hours. 


Hannah smirked “Big shot, huh?”


JC blushed a little and shrugged “Wanted it to be all about the two of us.”


Hannah sighed and wrapped her arm around his in a side hug. “I think you like me…”


“What if I do?” he smiled. 


Hannah smirked as they made their way to the room. 


Walking in, her eyes lit up as the door locked behind them. There were old newspaper clippings all over the wall. A small wooden table, velvet upholstered chairs, black and white photos, and the crackly sound from a record player in the corner told her they had traveled back in time.


“Oh wow…” Hannah breathed. She turned to look at JC after spotting a picture of a man she had seen many times before. He was a legend, and not for the right reasons…


“Al Capone? ...JACE...Are we looking for the….mob…”


He smiled “Shhhhhh…..Don’t SAY it…”


A red light swirled around them as a news bulletin sounded and text appeared on the screen on the side wall. 


An old timey voice spoke. “Bugsy Siegel MURDERED in a hail of bullets in Beverly Hills…”


The voice stopped as a clue flashed onscreen. “Suspects have been identified. Can you get the story and crack the case?”


Around the room, photographs in frames on the wall were highlighted in flashing lights until just one was left, illuminated in a soft pulsing spotlight.


Hannah grinned. “This is so cool…”


JC grinned and followed behind her as she made her way to the photo and lifted it slowly to find a set of numbers written behind it.


“7- 25- 07” she read. “Hmmm.” They both scanned the room. 


JC spotted an envelope on the table. It looked like it had been opened. “Annie look…” he pointed as he made his way over. Pulling a piece of paper out, he tried to make sense of the faded writing, reading what he could see.


“Vegas...Casino...Where’s the money...Virginia…” JC furrowed his brow. “What does that mean…”


Hannah looked around the room. Spotting something outside the theme of the room, she nudged JC. “Is that a...Flamingo?” she made a strange face.


JC laughed “Uh ...Yeah...Why is there a flamingo in here?”


Hannah racked her brain. Vegas ...casino….Flamingo….FLAMINGO IS A CASINO IN LAS VEGAS..” she exclaimed.


JC grinned at her enthusiasm. He hadn’t seen her that excited about anything in a really long time. She ran over to the stuffed flamingo and inspected it. Turning it in her hands, she looked for a clue as JC wrapped his arms around her from behind. Resting his head in the crook of her neck, he spoke softly into her ear. 


“You’re cute when you’re excited, Annie…” He placed a soft peck on her collarbone, moving to her ear as she giggled.


“Jaaace...Stop…” she blushed “We’re on a time limit here…”


JC chuckled “I’m in no rush with you, Annie…”


She laughed as she shoved him back with her butt “I’m GETTING this story…”


JC grabbed the front of his pants, acting wounded “Carrreeeful…” he teased.


Hannah giggled more as she tossed the Flamingo at him, waving a clipping she had found in a hidden zippered compartment within the animal. “It says 1 of 2...There’s another part to this…”


JC smiled as she flitted around the room, trying to move pictures and lifting chairs. She fiddled with the needle on the record player. Coming up short every time. 


Her eyes fell to JC, standing as he casually made his way around the room. 


“You’re just gonna stand there?” she gave him a wild look. 


“Can’t find anything…” he shrugged.


Hannah gave him a look as she sighed and searched the room with her eyes.


Watching her, he smirked as he spotted something on the wall. 


“Hannah...Over here…” He made his way to a newspaper hanging on one of the walls, a giant “2” written in red.


Hannah walked over to him, grinning as she held the clipping in her hand up to the paper. 


“The story matches…” she smiled. Her eyes traveled up to the top of the larger clipping, grinning as she read it. “Los Angeles Times…” Her heart pulled a little. The clipping was obviously fake, but she was impressed by the attention to detail and how real they had made the paper look. The LA Times - the same place where she had spent so much of her time. It was where she had been working when she met him. 


“The former bootlegger was gunned down through the window of his lover, a miss Virginia Hill…” her eyes lit up in recognition. “VIRGINIA…” she looked to Jace. 


He grinned as his eyes went to the table, landing on a pack of cigarettes. Virginia Slims. 


“Annie…” he smirked as he picked it up. There was a red lipstick mark on the package. 


Hannah’s eyes were focused as she stared at it, her eyes landing on the item that had been next to the cigarettes on the table. “Bootlegger…” she repeated. Her eyes went to the bottle sitting there. Another red lipstick mark gently graced the side of the bottle. Noticing it was still sealed, she cocked her head to the side as she picked it up. 


In her focus, her eyes skipped the other writing on the label. She recognized the branding. She had seen it countless times before. Basil Hayden. Her favorite whiskey. “There’s a date on this…” she whispered.


“Let me see,” JC smiled softly behind her. 


“July 25th, 2007” JC whispered.


“What?!” Hannah looked at him in confusion. “2007? Why would…” 


Her eyes went wide and a wide smile spread across her face. “That’s the day we met…” she looked at him. 


“Is it?” he bit his lip, looking back at her as a thought clearly ran through his head.


Hannah shook her head. “LA Times...Basil Hayden…” She stopped mid-thought as she stared at the picture from before, now in front of her and behind JC. 


“7...25...07” Her eyes flew to the combination lock on the heavy set of doors on the other side of the room. 


“JACE!” she exclaimed in excitement as she ran to the lock, punching in the numbers she had just recited. 


The red light from before began swirling, this time joined by the sound of cameras flashing and a cacophony of reporter’s voices shouting over each other. The doors slid open as a stunned Hannah turned bright red. 


Hannah turned around to find JC grinning at her “You did it, mama!” 


She grinned up at him. “8-6-07...You have anything to do with that?”


JC bit his lip. “Maybe. You missed something, though…”


Hannah frowned at him. “I did?”


He nodded as he produced the bottle of whiskey from behind him and held it closer to her face.”


There, clear as day, above the date she had seen earlier, was her name. “Hannah”


“Jace…” she stared at it, then at him. Taking it from him, she reached up on her toes to kiss him. 


Wrapping her into him, he kissed her back, his tongue finding hers briefly, remembering they were still technically in public. 


Hannah’s cheeks were flushed as they pulled away, when a thought came to her. 


“Wait...Is this always the code to get out? Hell of a coincidence…” she smirked at him.


JC grinned. “Nah...It’s usually 6-20-47...The day he was murdered, apparently…”


Hannah blushed at all the stops he had pulled, grinning back at him “Meh...Boring…” she teased.


Jc chuckled. “I’m glad you figured it out...Would have been kinda awkward if you didn’t…” 


Hannah smiled. “That was so much fun! Did you ever doubt me?”


“Not for a second…” he grinned.


**

Hannah leaned back against the passenger seat, smile still on her face as they turned a corner that she instantly recognized. He had continued the trend of surprises, refusing to tell her where they were going to eat.


“Jace...Really?” she grinned at him as they pulled up the the valet.


“What’s it look like?” he grinned back. 


“Wow…” she shook her head. “I haven’t been here in forever…”


JC cleared his throat. “Yeah uh...Me neither...not since...Well...It’s been awhile…”


“Right…” Hannah breathed. 



They walked to the front door, JC opening it for her to step through. She smiled as the same familiar smell hit her nose. Aside from some new seating at the reworked bar, nothing had changed. They approached the hostess stand and their jaws dropped, as did the jaw of the woman behind it. 


“Well...I’ll be!” a motherly voice called out to them. She had barely aged, and Hannah was immediately jealous. “Look at you two! Oh, it’s so good to see you!” She stepped from around the podium to hug them both.  


“Where the HELL have you been? I know this one moved, but what’s your excuse?” she playfully swatted JC’s arm.


He shook his head “I have no excuse, really...and...She moved back…” he shot a teasing glance in Hannah’s direction. 


“Guilty…” Hannah blushed.


“I have your book,” Toni beamed “Very interesting…I knew I liked you…”


They both laughed.


“You two sitting together this time?” she winked.


JC sighed “Yes, Toni…”


“Calimari and a bottle of the Cab?” she asked as she sat them down with menus.


“Yes, please…” Hannah smiled at her. 



A few minutes later, their waitress arrived, friendly smile as she approached. JC looked up from his menu and her eyes went wide. Smirking, Hannah pulled her menu up to hide her expression. 


“Um...Uh... I...Toni has your wine and appetizer coming,” she swallowed “Can I get you anything else for the moment?”


JC flashed a knowing smile at her “Maybe just some waters. Thank you…”


“Yeah...of course...Um yes. You’re welcome.” She took a quick breath and walked away to calm herself down. 


Hannah giggled as his eyes went back to the menu. He pulled her menu down “Don’t you hide…”


Hannah shook her head “Pretty impressive for a man over 40…” she teased.


JC bit his lip “You’re not that far behind, Annie...brat…”


Hannah laughed as their wine and calamari arrived. A glass was poured for each of them and JC raised his glass “To the end of the broken hearts club?”


Hannah grinned “Yeah...I think I need to cancel my membership…”


They clinked glasses, then set to work on the calamari. JC smirked as he stabbed a piece with his fork and held it out to Hannah with a raised brow.


Hannah giggled “REALLY?”


“Come on now...I’m trying to make up for 5 years here…” he smiled. 


Hannah sighed and leaned forward to wrap her lips around the fork, eyes focused on his as she did so. She slowly pulled back and licked her lips as she finished the bite. 


“Mmm. Delicious” 


JC grinned at her “I was thinking the same thing…”


She smiled at him before looking down to her menu and gasped. “They took your chicken off the menu!” she looked back up at him amused.


His brow furrowed as he examined the page “Damn...I guess they did...Well,” he looked up at her “New beginnings, right?”


She bit her lip “Yeah…”


They made their way through a delicious leg of lamb and shrimp francaise, which they ended up sharing, and sat with happy stomachs and dreamy eyes. 


Finishing the last of the wine, Hannah reached over for his hand “Thank you. Tonight has been...exactly what I needed.”


He offered a soft smile “I’m glad. You deserve to be happy, Hannah.”


She squeezed his hand “Mission accomplished.”


“Do we dare go for dessert?” he gave her a playful look.


“Raspberry chocolate mousse cake?” she gave him the same look. 


“Ohhhh you’re bad…” he teased “Let’s do it!”


**

A quick kiss at the door, Hannah and JC made their way out of the restaurant at the end of a perfect dinner.



As they stepped out hand in hand, a flash caught Hannah’s attention. Her eyes went wide briefly as JC snaked a protective arm around her and pulled her into him. 


“Ignore it” he whispered.


“JC! JC! What’s going on tonight, man?” a voice followed them. 


JC took a quick breath before looking up briefly, a casual wave of acknowledgement “Just having dinner, man…”


“Cool man, cool...You guys are cute! “


JC nodded and offered a half smile as another flash went off. Nearly at his car, he put his head down and kept walking. 


“Hannah! It’s Hannah right? You look amazing tonight. Are you working on a new book?”


JC kept his head down, an annoyed look on his face. He was used to this. She wasn’t. A protective glance in her direction, Hannah smirked at him. 


“Always,” she smiled at the voice.


JC’s lips curled into a smile. 


“Is it about him?” the voice teased.


Hannah laughed “You never know…” she teased back.


Climbing into their car as the voice looked on, they both waved one more time.


‘Have a good night, guys. Thanks…”


JC fell back against the driver’s seat, shaking his head.


“Damn, Annie…” he chuckled.


‘What?” she smiled.


“You’re a natural…”


Hannah blushed “They’re worse when you don’t answer at all, right?”


JC’s brow raised “Did someone get a publicist?”


Hannah bit her lip “No...Someone’s dated a pop star before…”


JC grinned “Yeah? “ An evil grin spread across his face “Any juicy details?”


Hannah laughed “Yeah...He’s obsessed with socks.”


JC almost choked as he started laughing. 


“What a freak…” JC teased.


Hannah smirked “Oh...You have NO idea…”


**

Hannah cuddled closer to JC as they relaxed under the stars on his balcony.


There was a slight breeze in the late October air, but she didn’t care.


Feeling her slight shiver, JC wrapped both arms around her in a tight hug. “You wanna go inside?” he spoke softly into her ear.


She shook her head and looked up at him. “No...It’s nice out here…”


“Yeah...Especially with the company…” He smiled at her before placing a kiss on top of her head.


Hannah smiled back at him and sighed “I really don’t know how I deserve to have you back…” she shook her head at him.


He bit his bottom lip “I think I should be saying that about you.”


“We are...too old for how you make me feel, Jace…”


“And how is that?” he gave her a questioning look. 


“Like a teenager…” she shrugged “You make me feel...young..excited... GOD who am I…” she laughed at herself. 


“You make...everything better, Annie…”


Hannah blushed as she shoved his arms playfully “Damn musicians...with all your...words…” 


JC caught her wrist, pulling her in for a kiss “Not just words…” 


She let out a breath against him, kissing him back as her whole body relaxed. His hands rested on her lower back as hers found a place on his shoulders. 


His hands instinctively moved up her body, pulling her shirt up with them. Her arms left his shoulders as he pulled it up over her head, moving to his own button down to take it off. His arms moved to pull her to him, up into his lap, standing as he cradled her and her arms went around his neck for support.


Her eyes had gone green as they danced. He leaned down to kiss her softly. “I can show you…”


Hannah bit her lip as she nodded “Show me what?”


“How much I love you…” he whispered. 

 

Hannah let out a soft breath as he slid open the balcony door with one hand, and made his way to the bedroom. 

Chapter 24 by IvyVega

JC smiled as he shoved a forkful of pancake into his mouth. It was earlier than he used to be up, and he was on his second cup of coffee, but he had no complaints. Weekend breakfast had become an easy way to spend time with two of his favorite ladies.


He glanced behind him to Hannah, focused on flipping another batch of pancakes and sipping her own coffee. Her hair was down and half wavy, no product, no styling, and her baggie tunic sweater, yoga pants, and slippers were the ultimate “mom” outfit. He smiled to himself as he lifted his coffee cup to his lips. She was comfortable. So was he. It had taken over a decade, but they knew where they were. They could be themselves around each other. Finally. He let out a soft sigh as he looked to the other end of the table, where Olivia was dancing in her booster seat to the music coming from the tv, her pink safety fork in her hand, dripping syrup onto the table.


“Livie bug…” he smirked. 


She turned her head to him, an inquiring look on her face.


“Eat your food...” he gestured to her fork. 


She shoved the dripping bite into her mouth, an innocent smile as she chewed.


Hearing him, Hannah smiled to herself as she flipped the last pancake and reached for her cup of coffee. She wiped her hands off after a rinse and sat down opposite JC. Glancing at Olivia’s plate and the syrup mark on the table, she stood back up with a sigh and made her way to the remote control on the coffee table. “Ok Livie...That’s enough tv. Let’s finish breakfast, ok?”


“Mommy I wanna watch it!” she pouted.


Hannah shook her head “You have a big day today, baby...Daddy is taking you to the museum!”


Olivia frowned at her. “Nuh uh…”


“YES, huh. It’s gonna be so much fun! You get to paint a car...and play dress up...and play games…”


Hannah was hopeful, but worried. Andy had finally committed to spending time with Olivia...a week off schedule. She had been hesitant to mess with her routine, especially with how many times Andy had flaked, but she didn’t want to be the reason Olivia didn’t have a relationship with her father. 


Olivia was quiet for a moment. “Can I paint it pink?”


Hannah smiled “Yes, baby...You can paint it pink…”


“You and Josh come too!” she reasoned.


JC sighed “Not this time, cutie. Just you and your daddy…”


Olivia looked to Hannah “Mommy…?”


Hannah bit her lip and crouched beside Olivia “Baby we can go somewhere NEXT weekend, ok? Your daddy is excited to see you.”


Olivia sighed in acceptance. “Ok. “


“Olivia... “ JC smiled softly at her. 


She looked up at him, sad eyes staring. 


JC puffed out his cheeks, crossing his eyes. 


Her eyes shifting, her face lit up as she giggled loudly. She mimicked his expression as he laughed with her. 


“THAT’S better…” he grinned. 

**


Hannah sat with Olivia on the couch, tv turned back on as they waited. Andy was 20 minutes late. 


Almost getting pulled into the story as he sat next to them, JC stared at the tv, annoyed that Andy was doing this to his daughter. Again. 


As all three of them silently gave up, Hannah looked up as she heard a car pulling up outside. 

Sighing, she stood up “Ok Livie. Backpack on, Daddy’s here…”


Olivia got off the couch slowly, lazily pulling the straps of her princess backpack over her shoulders.


“Mommy I’m tired…” she started. 


Hannah nodded. “You can nap in daddy’s car, ok?” She held out her hand for Olivia to take it, as JC looked on. 


“Bye livie bug...Have fun…” JC smiled at her encouragingly.


“Bye Josh” she answered him quietly


Hannah smiled softly back at him as she led Olivia to the door, opening it, they stepped outside as Andy approached the porch. 


“Hey baby girl!” he smiled, arms out for a hug Olivia silently declined.


“Hi Daddy,” she answered quietly, still holding on to Hannah’s hand.


“Ok Livie you got kitty?”


She nodded slowly. 


Hannah squeezed her hand gently. “Ok honey go ‘head. See you Monday, ok? Don’t forget you can call me if you need to, ok?”


“Mommy I wanna stay…” Olivia opened her eyes wide at her mom. 


Hannah sighed. “Baby it’s ok. You’re gonna love the museum…” 


Olivia stood in place, not moving any closer to Andy. 



“Come on sweetheart let’s go...Got a whole day planned!” Andy extended his hand with a weak smile. 


Olivia looked up at Hannah with puppy eyes and shook her head.


“Come on baby..Go with daddy...You are gonna have so much fun!”


“No! Josh!”


Hannah squatted to meet her at her level “Love, you’ll see Josh next week, ok?”


Olivia crossed her arms “No!”


Hannah looked at Andy, her eyes tired “She was expecting you last weekend...Give her a minute…”


Andy rolled his eyes ‘Hannah..I TOLD YOU...Something came up. I can’t just blow off clients.”


Hannah bit her lip to keep from saying what she wanted to say “Andy-  I SAID...Give her a minute. She’s 4.”


“We don’t have all day here…” he replied. “Olivia...come on...let’s go…” he grabbed for her arm suddenly, pulling slightly.


“NOOOO!!! “ She pulled back scared, losing her balance and falling onto the tile of the porch. 

She screamed as she held her scraped hand “MOMMYYYYY” The tears came fast and Hannah reacted. “Ok….Ok baby girl its ok come on…” She picked her up effortlessly, carrying her toward the house. 


“Hannah! Hannah come on! Olivia! Daddy’s sorry come on…”


JC’s eyes questioned as Hannah rushed inside the house. 


“What did he do….?” JC’s voice was low.


“Nothing. He just scared her…”


“Scared her how…” JC’s eyes widened.


“Josh!” she looked at him with thick tears.


‘Heyyyy livie whats wrong?” his voice softened.


“Josh...I..stay..here..” she managed between sobs.


“Ok...Ok…” he brushed back her hair…”


Giving Hannah a look, he started toward the front door “I’ll be right back…”


“JACE..DON’T…”


“Hannah…” his look warned.


Andy was climbing back into his car when JC made it to the driveway. “Hey! “


He looked up to smirk at JC “You won, man..I don’t have time for this shit…”


“Excuse me?”


“I show up to spend time with my daughter and you two have her trained to hate me...fucking bullshit…”


JC’s eyes narrowed “You did that yourself, man..”


“She’s not your kid...She’s MINE. I bust my ass to pay child support and I get here and she can’t even get in the damn car?”


“What the hell is your problem, man?!...You scared the shit out of her…”


Andy huffed “Scared...I’M HER DAD…”


“Then act like it. Maybe show up on time once in awhile.”


“Fuck you, Chasez! Some of us still have a career to manage. “


JC tightened his jaw, absorbing the blow of that statement. “Look, asshole...You can screw ME over all you want...You did a GREAT job of that. I’m a grown man. Don’t you DARE screw over that little girl. You don’t get to screw over your kid. I flipped a table at you once. DON’T make me do it again.”


“We’ll see who’s screwing over who…” Andy scowled “I’ll be back next weekend. Have fun with MY kid until then...and tell Hannah to drop the fucking attitude.”


“Get the fuck out of the driveway…” JC’s eyes were fire. 


Andy met JC’s stare, snickering to himself as he started the engine and drove off.




Inside the house, Hannah sat on the couch, worry on her face.


“Did you kill him?”


JC’s gaze was serious”Not this time…Where is she?”


“Taking a nap. That took a lot out of her …”Hannah looked in front of her. It was clear she was upset “Jace...You can’t do that…”


“Do what?”


“Threaten him like that...Yell at him...Whatever..”


‘The guy is an ASS, Hannah...You really want him treating her like that?”


Hannah sighed “Of COURSE I don’t...But I have years of dealing with him under my belt…”


“Well it doesn’t seem like it’s getting through to him…”


“Why do you care so much?”


“That’s a stupid question, Annie...You know it is…”


“Jace...She’s not your concern…”


“...I wasn’t my parents’ concern, either…” JC gave her a pointed look.


“DON’T do that.” She shot back.


“Hannah look I’m not just gonna do nothing…”


“I can handle it, Jace!”


“I didn’t say you couldn’t…Hannah I would NEVER hurt her...Ever. If I’m around she’s part of this …” he gestured between himself and Hannah.


Hannah sighed “I can’t change him. I’ve tried. I’ve tried SO hard..I’ve given him SO many chances to prove her wrong. And its MY fault. She didn’t ask for any of this…”


Her eyes were red, ready to spill over as her voice cracked.


“Annie…” he sat down next to her. 


“I’ve done a LOT of stupid shit, Jace...a LOT...But...HIM? That’s the stupidest thing I have ever done...But it gave me the best thing I have ever had…”


“I know…But it ISN’T your fault” he rubbed her leg softly. 


“I wish…” She was crying quietly now “Well...I just wish it was someone else...I wish she had the father she deserves…” 


“I wish she was mine…” JC spoke softly. They were words that fell out. Words that had taken him by surprise. 


Hannah looked at him, breaking, and nodded. She couldn’t speak as she collapsed into his arms. 


JC hugged her tightly to him as her whole body shook, fending off his own tears. “I’m here now, Hannah…”


Hannah slowed her breathing, pulling back to wipe her face “Sorry...I...Uh…” she blinked.


JC shook his head “Nothing to be sorry about…”


He stared at her, his expression changing as his eyes twinkled at her. “She changed you, Annie…”


Hannah smiled, wiping her face with the sleeve of her shirt. “Yeah...she did,” she nodded “She taught me how to love… really love... She saved me…”


JC smiled “I’m glad she did...You changed me, too…”


Hannah shook her head “No I didn’t...You’re just stubborn, Jace…”


“What…?”


“You’re afraid to love, too…”


He sighed, moving closer to her to softly grab her face. “Not anymore…” 

His eyes were stone, the darkest shade they got.


Hannah bit her lip. “So what did you say to him…?” she asked.


JC sighed “That he doesn’t have the right to scare and screw over his daughter...and to get the fuck out of your driveway…”


Hannah smirked “Really?”


JC remained serious “Yeah...It’s the truth…”


“You kicked him out of the driveway?”


“I guess I did…”


“Why…”


“Because he was upsetting both of you…”


“He was leaving, Jace…”


“Yeah, well...He was getting off too easily…”


Hannah smiled, noticing his tone. “Huh…” She stared at him in wonder.


“What…” His eyes were still on fire. 


“Protective…” Hannah whispered.


“Hannah-”


Her lips cut him off, crawling into his lap to kiss him deeply. He responded happily, pulling her into him as his hands gripped her sides. 


“Mmmm what are you-” he mumbled against her.


“Shutup” she whispered. “I don’t know…”


He pulled away swiftly, holding her at length briefly with flexed arms “Are you...Turned on because I yelled at him?” his eyes were amused. 


Hannah blushed “Maybe…”


JC grinned playfully “Noted.” He moved back to kiss her, shifting as his excitement moved south. Noticing his movement, Hannah grinned against him, grinding herself closer into him.

His hands moved down, brushing the inside of her waistband as hers slid up under his shirt. 

Time jumped as they pulled each other’s clothes off, JC pushing her gently back against the arm of the sofa. 


He wasted no time as he adjusted her leg to thrust into her, a low grunt as he closed his eyes. 


“Mami…” he whispered. 


Her arm shot up to place one hand over his mouth as her eyes opened briefly “Shhhhh….shut up…” Her eyes gestured upstairs, their deep green issuing him a quiet warning. His eyes smiled under her hand as he gently nipped at her palm. He bucked his head free and her hand fell to his shoulder, gripping tightly. Her head fell back slightly, mouth fixed in a silent scream, biting her lip as he sped up and pushed harder. 


Only able to respond with their bodies, they both leaned into the pleasure as they gave in to release. Locked up in each other, they breathed together in rhythm. 


JC found a grin as he settled in on top of her, quickly kissing her neck as he whispered in her ear “You haven’t changed THAT much, have you…”


Hannah’s mouth fell into a playful grin as she looked back at him “Not when you’re around…”


“Then I’m gonna have to stick around awhile…” he squeezed her side.


She laughed as she looked up at him “That’s the plan…”


They got dressed quickly as JC settled down on the couch next to her.



Hannah kissed him quickly before standing up. 


“I need more coffee. You?”


JC stood up, following her to the kitchen island. “Definitely.”


Hannah grabbed their mugs and made her way to pour them both a cup as JC watched her. Three months in, but on a second round. It didn’t feel like a new relationship, because it wasn’t. This was where they were always meant to be. He smiled softly to himself as he realized how much time they had both wasted being apart. He fought his own thoughts as a familiar creeping feeling sunk in. Fear. The same fear that had snuck up on him the first time he realized he was in love with her. The same fear that had kept him from moving things forward the first time. It was even stronger this time, and he sighed softly to himself as he realized it wasn’t fear at all...It was actually excitement. 


“SHIT,” Hannah’s voice broke him of his daydream. 

“What?” he grabbed his cup of coffee from her as she bit her lip. 


“Well...Andy was supposed to have Olivia. I have a meeting with my editor today, and…” she blushed “I’m meeting a publicist because Jade insisted I at least hear out the idea…”


JC grinned “Going big time, Annie…” He sipped his coffee as his eyes danced at her with pride.

Hannah let out a breath “Jace...I have to reschedule. I mean I can’t call my mom this short notice…”


JC set his coffee cup on the island. “I’ll watch her…”


“What? Jace that’s...It’s fine. They will understand.”


“Annie...It’s fine. Just a couple hours, right?”


Hannah’s eyes shifted in thought “Like...3 or 4?”


JC nodded. “Ok. I can do 3 or 4”


Hannah stared at him “...Really?”


JC chuckled “Hannah. She’s a kid, not a wild animal.”


Hannah laughed “Depends on the day…”


“Don’t you have like...a notebook?”


“What?”


“A notebook...or like...a book or something...You know like for babysitters?”


Hannah smirked “You watch too many movies...and yes…” She turned around to a drawer behind her in the kitchen and pulled out a black business folder. 


“Emergency contacts...Favorite things to watch...Things she doesn’t like. First aid kit is in the hall closet.”


JC smirked. “Uh huh…” He grabbed the folder from her.


“Hannah….” he stared directly into her eyes. “We’ll be fine. “


Hannah sighed as she grabbed the island with both hands. “Thank you…”


Truth be told, she was nervous. Olivia liked JC, but this was different. She would be alone with him for the first time. She wasn’t sure who would have a harder time. Still, if he was going to be around, it would have to happen eventually. She smiled as she considered how quickly he had offered, and how eager he seemed to step in and help.


“Don’t give her TOO much sugar, ok?”

 

“We’ll see what happens...Go get ready.” he smiled “And you should probably tell her…”

Chapter 25 by IvyVega


JC smiled as he watched a now professional Hannah come downstairs with a half awake Olivia at her side. 


“Hey sleepyhead…” he teased Olivia. 


She rubbed her eyes as Hannah led her over to where JC was sitting. 


“So you’re gonna be a good girl while Mommy is at work, right Livie? “ Hannah looked at her.


“Yes, Mommy…” she yawned. 


“Olivia, I think we have time to watch a movie…” JC smiled.


Her eyes lit up as she smiled “TROLLS!”


JC chuckled as he looked to Hannah “Yeah? You like that one?”


Olivia nodded enthusiastically. “UH HUH!”


Hannah smirked “You wanna tell him who your favorite troll is…” She bit her lip, knowing exactly what she was going to say. 


“BRANCH!” Olivia shouted.


JC bit his lip “Oh really? Why is he your favorite?”


Olivia got a little shy, looking to Hannah before answering him “Um...Cuz the way he sings and dances…”


JC was beaming. “Ahhh ok. Yeah he’s pretty cool. Ya know...I’m friends with Branch…”


Hannah’s eyes went wide, and she covered her mouth to stifle a laugh. 


‘YOU ARE…?!”  Olivia stared at him, confused.


JC nodded. “I am...Maybe we can call him later…”


“But he’s a troll…” she reasoned with him.


JC chuckled “Kinda…Do you wanna talk to him?”


Her little jaw was on the floor “PLEASE PLEASE?!”


Hannah winked at him before smiling at Olivia “You have to behave, though, ok? “


JC grinned at her “Um...Yeah...He only talks to kids who behave…”


Hannah smirked at him. “Ok baby...Give mommy a kiss...I’ll see you later, ok?


Olivia stretched up to kiss Hannah’s cheek before she left. “Bye mommy…”


As soon as the door closed, Olivia turned to JC. “Can we call Branch now?”


JC grinned at her “After the movie, Livie Bug...:”


**

JC laughed quietly to himself as he watched Olivia jump off the couch to dance right along with Queen Poppy and the whole Trolls crew. Seizing the moment, he got up himself, setting the bowl of popcorn on the coffee table, and doing a two-step next to her. 


Olivia stopped for a moment to stare at him before giggling. “Ok jump!” she smiled at him, directing him to dance more like the characters onscreen.


JC chuckled as he did a little jump with Olivia, then clapped as the credits rolled. 


Olivia grinned up at him “Ok! Can we call Branch?”


JC chuckled. “You sure you’re ready…”


Olivia nodded “Uh huh…”


“Ooookkaaayyy… “ JC teased as he pulled his phone out of his pants and scrolled. 


Olivia watched him with wide eyes as he waited for an answer. 


“Hey...Yeah uh...Branch?” his eyes were on Olivia.


“Uhhh...Dude...You ok?” Justin’s voice questioned on the other end, pulling his phone away to make sure it was actually JC.


JC bit his lip “Yep. Just here with Olivia ...Hannah’s Olivia…” he clarified.


Justin grinned as he started to understand. “Ohhhhhh...Does she wanna talk to Branch…?” 


JC smiled as Olivia started to get more excited. “Uh huh...Are you busy?” he asked carefully. 


Justin chuckled on the other end “Mannnn...I hope this gets you serious brownie points...put her on…”


JC smiled at Olivia, hitting speaker phone and holding the phone out to her. “Livie bug...He wants to talk to you…”


Olivia was smiling ear to ear as she took the phone with both hands. “Branch?”


“Hello Olivia. How are you today?”


Olivia’s eyes lit up as she looked at JC” HI BRANCH! We watched your movie!”


Justin smiled on the other end “Wow! Thank you! Do you like it? What’s your favorite part?”


“Um...Um...When everything changes colors!” she answered.


“Oh that was fun. Olivia do you like to sing and dance?”


Olivia was practically bouncing “Yes! I can play piano. And um...and sing the song at the end…”


“Whoa! That’s pretty cool. Wanna sing it with me?”


Olivia gasped “Ok!”


“Ok...Sing after me, ok? Nothing I can see but you when you…”


“DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE” Olivia started to move her feet. 


Justin was beaming on the other end “All these things I shouldn’t do but you…”


“DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE…”


Justin started clapping. “WOW Olivia, you are a really good singer! “ He was met with Olivia’s giggling on the other end. “Olivia, are you a good girl?”


“Yes!” she answered.


‘Oh good...Well, listen...I have to go help Queen Poppy with something...Can I talk to you later?”


“Ok. Bye Branch!” 


“Goodbye, Olivia. Nice to meet you!”


Olivia smiled as she handed the phone back to JC. Clicking off speaker, he held the phone to his ear. 


“GAWD DAMN, C...She’s adorable…”


JC grinned “Yeah I know...Thank you, BRANCH...Call you later?”


Justin chuckled “You got it, man…”


JC hung up the call and found Olivia wrapped around his leg, hugging him “Thank you thank you thank you!” she exclaimed.


Reaching one hand down to brush back her hair, he smiled “No problem, cutie...What do you want to do now?”


Olivia stood back to think “Tea party?” she asked.


JC chuckled “Ok. Where should I sit?” he asked.


“On the couch…” she answered him matter-of-factly before running off to grab her tea set. She grabbed Kitty, propping the stuffed animal next to JC and putting a plastic cup in front of her, and then set to work pouring a pretend cup of tea before handing it to JC and smiling.


JC held the plastic cup up to his lips. “Mmmm...this is good tea…”


Olivia smiled “No! It’s wine! Like mommy”


JC choked on air “WHAT?!”


Olivia giggled at his face “Like mommy drinks. Wine juice!”


JC grinned “Wine juice, huh…? What color?”


“Ummmmm...red...No pink!”


JC chuckled and made a mental note to pick up a few bottles of Rose. “What else does mommy like?”


“Ummmmm...ME!” She held her hands up in presentation.


JC laughed “Yeah.” He nodded “What else?’


Olivia got a cute look on her face “Mommy likes you!”


JC felt himself melt “Well guess what...I like mommy, too…”


“You DO?” she chirped. 


He nodded. “I do...a lot.”


With all the seriousness and focus of her age, Olivia stared at him for a second before gasping “YOU WANNA MEET MY DOLLIE?”


“Of course I do!” JC exclaimed.


Olivia walked over and picked up one of her dolls, a smiling Barbie type doll in a glittery pink dress with a tiara on top of her curls. . 


“Who’s this?” JC smiled.


Olivia giggled. “Princess!”


JC smiled. “Does she have a prince?”


Olivia nodded emphatically and ran to pick up the matching Prince doll. 


“He loves her,” she exclaimed, holding up the doll for him to see.


JC smiled, a thought entering his head. It was something he had been thinking about for a few weeks. Something he knew he needed to do, but he couldn’t do it if Olivia wasn’t ok with it.

Watching her now, with her dolls, he bit his lip, considering how much she really understood about a prince and a princess. He took a deep breath, deciding to test the water.


JC gently took Olivia’s hands in his as he looked her in the eye.


“Olivia...Did you know I love your mommy?”


Olivia smiled and nodded adorably  “Yes!”


JC grinned back at her “Well what if I wanted to make mommy MY princess?”


Olivia studied him before replying “Can we live in a castle?!”


JC laughed “Maybe not a castle...but my house is way up on a hill…”


“Cool!” Olivia jumped up and down.


“Livie-bug...Can I ask your mommy to be my princess forever?”


“Like Cinder-ewwa?”


He smiled “Yeah sweet girl...Like Cinderella…”


Olivia nodded and went to hug him “Oh! Yes! Okay!”


JC held her to him and let the breath he had been holding out, smiling from ear to ear. 


“Okay…”


**

JC leaned back on the couch as Olivia poured him and her dolls a second “round of wine juice.” 

He wasn’t sure how he was going to explain having “happy hour” with her to Hannah, but she was the cutest little hostess he had ever seen. 


“Thank you, Livie…” He smiled as she handed him an empty cup. 


She set the plastic teapot down and took a sip from her own cup before looking at him.


“Josh...When is mommy coming back?” she asked.


“Uhhh…” he checked his smart watch “Should be pretty soon…” he answered with a soft look on his face.


“When?” she repeated.


JC bit his lip. “When she finishes work, cutie...Not too much longer.”


“No...now…” her breathing started to pick up.


“Livie bug, I promise, she’ll be back soon.”


JC watched her get fidgety as her mouth turned downward into a frown. 


Her voice was quiet as her lip started to pout...“I want mommy…”


JC’s eyes widened as he looked at her. He had seen this before, though he had never been alone for it.  As he opened his mouth to speak, her face twisted and it happened.


“Livie…”


“I….WANT...MOMMMMYYYY….”


JC froze. What was he supposed to do?


Olivia was in full wail now. Thinking quickly, JC scanned the room and spotted kitty where she had left her on the other end of the couch. He moved quickly to grab her favorite stuffed animal and knelt down to hand it to her.


“Heyyy...Hey its ok..Mommy is gonna be back soon, I promise.” He offered the stuffed cat to her as a peace offering. She quickly snatched it and stopped crying briefly to look at him before starting again.


Burying her face in kitty, her small body shook with sobs and he did the only thing he could think to do, hugging her carefully. 


“No! Mommy!” She wiggled away.


“Ok...Ok!” he put his hands up. “Livie...Livie bug ...Hey...Hey can you look at me?”


She shook her head defiantly, screaming louder “MOMMY!”


JC took a breath, steadying himself against his racing heart. He felt himself in an almost dizzy panic. Hannah was gonna kill him. If Olivia didn’t kill him first.


Placing a tentative hand on the back of his neck, he had an idea.


“...I’ve got sunshiiiine….on a cloudy dayyy…” he sang softly.


Olivia’s sobs slowed as she pulled her head just above kitty to study him.



“...When it’s cold outsiiide...I’ve got the month of Mayyy…..” he continued. 


Olivia hiccuped, her cries turning into measured breathing, as she tried to figure out what he was doing.


JC smiled, calming down “Iiii guess...You say...what can make me feel this wayy...My giiirrrrl…..”


“I’M YOUR GI-RL?” Olivia looked up surprised.


JC laughed, tickling her arm. “Yeah livie bug...You’re my girl…”


Olivia giggled as he tickled her again. “More singing!”


“Talkin’ bout...myyyyyy giiiirrrrl” he sang louder, holding his arms out to invite her for a hug.


Olivia moved kitty to one hand as she shuffled toward him and wrapped her little arms around him. Picking her up to move to the song with her he continued.


“I’ve got soooo much hoonnney...the bees envy me…”


Olivia shook her head “NO BEES!” She looked at him with wide eyes.


He was caught off guard, grinning at her “Ok...No bees…”


***

Half an hour later, Hannah let herself into the house, a slight panic washing over her. Why wasn’t he answering her texts or calls?! Had something happened?


Dropping her bag and heading into the living room, her breathing returned to normal at what she saw. 


She stopped to stare at them on the couch. JC slumped against the left couch cushion, a curled up Olivia nestled into his side. Both of them passed out. 


Hannah felt the sting in her eyes as they filled up, silently mocking herself. She had never been this sappy before becoming a mom.


The coffee table was a mess, covered in popcorn and toys, but right now she didn’t care. 


She walked over slowly, lightly squeezing JC’s shoulder.


“Jace” she whispered.


He stirred but didn’t wake up.


“JC…” she tried again. His eyes slowly blinked half open.


“Hmmm…? Oh...Hey…” he smiled lazily, whispering back to her. Looking down at the weight on his body his mouth twisted into a smile “She wore me out.”


Hannah heard herself giggle quietly “She does that. Was she...ok?”


He smiled “We had a little meltdown but...yeah...she’s fine.”


Hannah’s eyes went wide “What happened?”


JC opened his eyes a little more to look at her “She just missed you. I took care of it.” He was quite proud of himself.


Hannah smirked. He was so cute. 


“Oh yeah? What did you do?”


“Sang to her” he beamed as he looked down at Olivia, who was still knocked out.


Hannah’s eyes glistened as she smiled “Well now she’ll love you forever…”


“I hope so…” he trailed off. 


“Maybe I will too...Thank you for watching her…” She sat down next to him and kissed him softly.


JC grinned “Is that my payment? Best gig ever…”


Hannah grinned “Partial payment. Kid friendly version...I’ll take her up to her room.”


JC shook his head lightly “I got it…”


Hannah blushed “You sure?”


“Yeah...We’re buds…”


JC shifted slowly, sliding himself away from Olivia as he adjusted his arms to cradle and lift her into him. Hannah watched, trying not to breathe as she scrunched her face, just waiting for Olivia to wake up. Her eyes popped open briefly, and they both paused as she mumbled something softly and fell back asleep in his arms. JC’s mouth twisted into a smile as he carefully made his way up the stairs to her room. 


With one hand, he pulled back the comforter on her bed, sliding her carefully inside before he pulled it up over her. A satisfied sigh, he smirked as she slept soundly. 


“Pretty sure I love you, Livie…” he whispered.


“And I love you…” a whisper came from behind him. He turned to find Hannah in the doorway. 


He smiled softly as he walked toward her, closing the door behind him as they made their way into the hallway.


“That little girl…” he shook his head as he slid his arms around her.


“What about her?” Hannah grinned.


“She’s...a little you, Annie…” 


Hannah giggled “Yeah, well...Thank God, right…”


“Yeah,” he smiled before dipping his head to kiss her. 


“Come on...You look like you could use a nap yourself,” she took his hand, leading him toward her bedroom “...And there’s the matter of payment.”


JC grinned “Both sound perfect…”


They made their way to the bed, hands finding each other as they deepened their kiss. 


“Mmm...How did your meetings go?” JC asked her.


Hannah smiled. “They were good. Editor is liking what she sees...just some minor tweaks…”


“...And the publicist?”


Hannah let out a breath “She’s really nice...professional...knows her stuff...I just don’t know if I’m ready for that, yet...or if I even need one. Feels a little overwhelming.”


JC kissed the top of her head. “You got this, mama. Whatever you’re comfortable with, but I’ve read your stuff...You’re gonna be someone people know. I mean, they already do…”


Hannah blushed as she looked at him. “Maybe...That’s not really me, though…”


“I know…” he smiled at her softly. His eyes were half open, lulling her into relaxation with them.


“Jace…” she yawned. “I’m beat…”


“Shhh,” he smiled as he pulled her into him. “Me too.” 

 

Hannah smirked softly at him as he watched her eyes close. Feeling himself not too far behind, he buried his head in the pillow next to hers, smiling as he remembered Olivia’s blessing from earlier. This was how he wanted to spend the rest of his life: with her and her daughter. 

Chapter 26 by IvyVega


Hannah smiled as she hopped into the passenger seat of JC’s jeep. Leaning over for a quick kiss hello, she smiled at his messy waves and sunglasses.


“‘Sup, Wipeout…?” she teased.

JC ripped off his sunglasses to stare at her “You did NOT just…”


“Would you prefer Clarence?” she smirked.


He gave her a side look as he pulled out of the driveway “I’d prefer you shutup…” he smirked back, staring at her own loose waves and maxi dress. “Doing a photoshoot at the beach, Annie?”


“WEAK,” she laughed “I look cute and you know it…”


A slow grin spread across JC’s face as he reached one hand over and quickly pulled loose the top ties of the bikini Hannah had on under her dress.


“HEY!” she squealed as she reached her arms up to catch them.


JC’s laugh was satisfied. “Keep talking, Hannah…”


Passing the usual exit to the beach, Hannah snapped her head in JC’s direction.


“Um...You missed the turn…”


JC smiled softly “No I didn’t…”


“Jace...Where are we going?”


“The beach…” he replied simply.


“Which beach…” Hannah narrowed her eyes a little.


“One that has water…” he smirked.


“Jace…”


“...And seals …”


“SEALS?” Hannah gave him a confused look.


“Uh huh...seals…” he repeated. 


Looking toward the road, Hannah looked ahead of them, scanning the road signs as they blurred by. They were on the 405.


Hannah’s jaw dropped open as the corner of her mouth twisted up. “Jace...Are you taking me to San Diego?”


JC grinned softly “Maybe…”


Hannah fell back against the seat, smile plastered on her face. 


“Why?” she asked softly.


JC shrugged, eyes still on the road “Because I know you miss it, and because I meant what I said...I want to know about everything I missed…”


**


Hannah took a deep breath in as she closed the passenger side door. She closed her eyes as the salty ocean air brought back memories. Walking to her side of the car, JC slid his arms around her from behind. 


“Whatcha thinking?” hs spoke softly near her ear. 


“Been awhile,” she smiled. “Feels the same, though...But now you’re here…” she squeezed his hand.


The sound of seals barking interrupted their thoughts.


“And so are they…” JC gestured his head toward the sound. 


Hannah grinned back, pulling his hand toward the rocks. “Oh my GOD...I love those guys!” 


They stood at the railing, and JC was grateful for the slightly overcast day that made the beach not so crowded. Hannah’s eyes were lit up watching the seals and sea lions do their thing. 


“Pretty cool they can just hang out like this…” JC smiled.


“Yeah…” Hannah bit her lip. “Used to come down here all the time as a little girl…”


“With your dad,” JC finished her thought “I remember…”


Hannah blushed, nudging his shoulder with her head. “Came here a few times when I moved, too...Great for clearing my head.”


JC smiled “It’s gorgeous…”


They laughed as the seals shuffled around, oblivious to any humans snapping pictures of them or children imitating their calls. Silently enjoying the scenery and each other’s company, it was peace they had both been craving.


“Wanna take a walk?” JC kissed the side of Hannah’s head.


“Okay…” she breathed. 


They made their way along the sea wall, Hannah sliding off her sandals to feel the sand in her toes. JC chuckled. She was like a kid, so carefree. He slid his hand into hers as they came closer to the carved rock cove. 


“Wanna check out the caves?” JC’s eyes were dancing. 


Hannah grinned. She hadn’t gone under the cove in years. 


“Absolutely!”


After paying the small entrance fee at the gift shop, they made their way carefully down a small set of wooden stairs onto the rocks below. There were gentle waves lapping up into the clearing as JC held Hannah’s hand. 


“Wow…” she breathed, looking out as the afternoon sun hit the arch they were standing under. The ocean sparkled as they looked at it. With no one else around, JC pulled her close, lips brushing hers. Her arms went around his waist as she kissed him back, smiling against him. 


“Turn around…” she whispered, reaching for her phone. 


JC grinned as he did, moving his arm around her shoulder as she snapped a selfie with the water in the background. Their silhouettes were cast in shadow as Hannah captured the moment.


Turning back around to listen to the sound of the seagulls and the waves, JC leaned against the wooden railing in front of them. 


Speaking softly, he looked out in front of him.


“Hannah...Are you happy?”



She smiled, a slight blush in her cheeks “Jace…”


“I mean it...Are you happy...with me?”


“You’re asking NOW...In this PERFECT place?” She shook her head “You have me at a disadvantage.


He chuckled lightly. 


“Yes...I’m happy right now. I’m happy with you.” Her smile was lazy but deep, her eyes matching his gaze.


Reaching one hand into the pocket of his shorts , he pulled out a small box and placed it in her hand.


“Good…” his eyes looked down at her hand.


Hannah’s heartbeat picked up as she looked at it.


“J-Jace…” her eyes went wide. 


“Open it…” he whispered.


With shaking hands, she popped the box open, covering her mouth as the light caught the pear shaped diamond inside. A diamond she’d seen before. 


“Jace…” she shook her head, unable to find her voice. “Is this...You kept this?”


He nodded, answering her question without speaking. He brushed the hair out of her face, looking directly into her eyes before he slowly got down on one knee in front of her.


Grabbing her hand, he spoke. “Hannah Rae Martin… I love you. I’m so sorry it’s taken me this long to realize just how much. I love your daughter. Fatherhood is never something I even considered...until I met her. I wanna be a family, Annie…”


Hannah wiped the tears that were falling from her face, trying in vain to contain them “I...Jace....I love you…”


“We don’t have to do anything big. Just us. Just the three of us...and whoever you want there...Marry me, Annie…”


Hannah looked into his eyes, the bluest she had ever seen them. She looked at the man who was supposed to be a one night stand. The man who never wanted marriage. The man she had walked away from once. She had been the woman who never wanted marriage, either. But things were different with him…


Hannah sniffed back the flood on her face, pulling him up to kiss him with her tear stained lips. “Yes, Joshua Scott Chasez...YES…” she nodded “I’ll marry you…”


JC grinned against her lips as he held both sides of her face in his hands “I promise, Annie...I’ll never hurt either of you...ever…” He took her hand in his as he slid the ring carefully out of its box and onto her finger. 


Hannah kissed him over and over before beaming “We have to tell Livie…”


He smiled back at her. “She knows…” he whispered.


Hannah’s heart stopped for a moment. “What…”


His grin was playful “I asked her if I had her permission...She thought it was a great idea…”


“Oh  my God...Jace…”  Collapsing into his chest, she breathed him in, letting the tears fall. Overcome by emotion, this all felt like a dream. She felt every ounce of love and gratitude she had for him in her chest as he held her tight, head buried in her hair. He closed his eyes as he smiled, his own eyes starting to fill. Hannah took a breath and stood back, looking down to her finger to admire the ring. She giggled suddenly.


“What?” he smiled.


“Well..It fits...Um...After...Olivia...my fingers changed…” she blushed “Wouldn’t have fit me before…”


JC’s eyes crinkled into amusement “Timing is everything…”


“I guess so,” Hannah chuckled. 


“You wanna get some lunch?” he took her hand.


Hannah nodded “Lunch with my fiance sounds great…”


“Oh Lord here we go…” he chuckled.


“What?” Hannah smirked. 


“Don’t get all girly on me now, Annie…” he laughed. 


She squeezed his side playfully “Maybe just a little…”


***

JC and Hannah sat at a sunlit table overlooking the beach. Both of them lost in the moment. 

JC took a sip of his drink as he looked at Hannah. The sun was catching the flecks of green and amber in her eyes. He smiled under the rim of his glass as she stared at the ocean. 


Turning back to him, she smiled as the sun bounced off his own blue gaze, making his eyes almost transparent. 


“This is ...the most perfect day. Thank you…” she breathed as she tore a piece of bread to nibble.


He reached a hand out to grab hers “Glad you gave me a second chance…”


Hannah bit her lip “I’m just sorry it took this long…”


JC gave her a thoughtful look “You know what? I’m not…”


“What?” Hannah cocked her head slightly, confused by his sentiment.


JC looked right at her “Hannah...We were headed...nowhere. You had a whole career path and the truth is, “ he sighed “I wasn’t taking things seriously. Not really. You had to leave. I understand that now.”


Hannah smiled “It’s not exactly like I had my shit together either, Jace...and then there’s Olivia...If I hadn’t left ...I mean maybe…”


JC shook his head “Don’t...You were meant to be a mom, Annie. It’s obvious...You were meant to be HER mom…”


Her eyes started to water as she looked back at him. “Thank you…” she choked out, wiping her eyes. 


JC considered his next words “I’m...out of my element here...I mean...Marriage...a kid I...You said you didn’t change me, Hannah...but you did...Thank God you did…”


Hannah squeezed his hand “I’d take you either way, Jace.”

 

“I’m holding you to that…” he grinned.

Chapter 27 by IvyVega


Hannah yawned as she shuffled to her mailbox in pajama pants and a robe. It was a lazy Saturday, and she planned to take full advantage of it. Both her and Olivia had slept in, which was rare, and she hadn’t checked her mail in two days.


Shuffling through a couple pieces of junk mail and a utility bill, she stopped when she got to a very official looking envelope with a “Time sensitive” stamp on it. 


“Probably just another credit card offer…” she muttered to herself. 


Sitting down at the kitchen table as she carefully opened it, she froze as she read the document in her hand.


Petition to File for Joint Custody


Was he SERIOUS? Andy certainly earned enough income to have a case, but his track record proved absolutely nothing about his parenting skills. She felt her throat closing as she stared at the filled out form. He couldn’t do this...Could he?


Glancing over her shoulder, she saw Olivia happily engrossed in the tv as she munched on the apple slices Hannah had cut up for her. 


Sighing, she got up to grab her cell phone and tuck into the kitchen.


Hitting his number, she could already feel the hair on the back of her neck standing up.


“Hi Hannah…” Andy answered.


“Andy...What the hell…” she whispered “Joint Custody??”


There was a sigh on the other end of the phone “Hannah...It’s not unreasonable. She’s my daughter.”


“Yes she is...Your daughter who you can never see.”


“I need her for longer periods of time. I’ve told you my schedule fluctuates. If I had her for longer I could plan around it.”


“You realize that makes NO sense, Andy…”


“What makes no sense is the fact that you are keeping her from me…”


“I’M NOT…” she closed her eyes as she caught herself raising her voice. “I’m not keeping her from you. I have given you SO many chances to prove me wrong...SO many, and you flake every time.”


“Hannah. My parents want to see her more, too…”


“They can see her any time they want to. They have my number…”


“Hannah, look, I’m not trying to uproot her life. I just wanna see my kid. I want that right, and I want the same chance you have to get to know her...on a schedule that works.”


“She LIVES here, Andy, and my life literally revolves around her. It’s NOT the same thing.”


“Revolves around her? Or revolves around her and your boyfriend?”


“What the fuck does any of this have to do with him, Andy?”


“Well you have him watching her, don’t you? What happened to your mom? Or her other grandparents? You have some stranger watching our kid, Hannah…”


“He’s not a stranger, and you know it…” her tone was icy.


“Whatever. I don’t think I’m comfortable by leaving her well-being up to the guy you’re seeing…” he scoffed.


“My fiance, actually…” Hannah replied firmly. 


“I’m sorry-What?!” Andy questioned.


“I said...My fiance. We’re engaged. So yeah...I trust her with him.”


“You’re MARRYING him?” Andy balked.


“Yes...I am. And he’s amazing with her. He actually WANTS to spend time with her.”


“He’s not her father, Hannah…”


“Never said he was…” she answered in a cool tone. 


“Look...I’m doing this, Hannah. My lawyer has been consulted. I suggest you do the same. Beyond that, I’ll see you in court.”


Hannah pursed her lips together, trying desperately to keep her cool “I guess you will….” she responded before hanging up abruptly.


Hannah stared at her phone briefly before scrolling again to another number.


He answered in two rings. 


“Hey Annie…” she could hear his on the other end.


“Jace…” she breathed. “I hate him…”


“What? Who? What’s going on, mama?”


“Andy...He filed for joint custody..”


“He WHAT...Are you serious?”


“Unfortunately I am. Court date and everything…”


“Hannah…Wow…” 


“Yeah...Jace he can’t...win this, can he?”


There was a pause. “I don’t know...but you can’t let him do this…”


“I don’t know what to do…”


“Neither do I...but I’m coming over. We’ll figure this out.”


**


Hannah fell back against her door after saying goodbye to her lawyer. JC sat, elbows on knees on her couch, staring at her. 


“Sounds promising…” he encouraged.


Hannah rubbed her forehead in her hand. “It’s not gonna work…” she whispered.


“Don’t know until you try…” JC smiled softly as he walked over to her, massaging her shoulders gently. 


Hannah’s lawyer, who had pointed out that Andy had a weak case based on his record of visitation- or lack thereof- had suggested a mediation of sorts ahead of the court date.

Hannah had every box checked as a stable place for Olivia to live, and as the only home- and parent- she had ever known. The idea of a two parent home, she had noted, would also be appealing to the judge.


Hannah’s mind was racing. It’s not that she didn’t want Andy to see his daughter. She just didn’t his motives or his ability to be there for her. Hannah had given every part of herself to that little girl, and the idea of letting go and being part of the reason she got hurt was making her dizzy.



Hannah leaned into his hands, head rolling back a bit as she realized how tense she was. 


“No...But I have a pretty good idea…”


“Hannah. Call him. Worst case he says no and you have a great case in court, right?”

“Yeah...As a soon to be married woman, apparently…”


“Noooo...As her mother and the person who has raised her her entire life…” JC corrected her. 


“When am I even supposed to do this?”


“You have tomorrow free don’t you?”


Hannah thought. “Yeah...but Olivia-”


JC smiled as he turned her around to face him “Do I have to say it?”

Hannah bit her lip “No...You sure?”


“Stop asking me that. Package deal…” he smirked.


Hannah laughed “No refunds…”


JC shook his head “I’m a satisfied customer, Annie…”


** 


A week later, Hannah waited nervously at the table, taking tiny sips of her latte. She was nervous, and slightly nauseous. This HAD to go well. This would determine whether or not she had to fight for her own daughter; the child she had given birth to and basically raised on her own for the past 4 years. With each passing minute,she began to doubt her ability to provide, and if the court would believe whatever Andy told them. Would he lie? He could certainly afford a top-notch lawyer-One who might be willing to paint a not entirely accurate picture of Olivia’s living situation. 


She had arrived early, hoping to calm herself down, but it wasn’t working. She was going to have to compromise a little bit, and she was terrified it would do more harm than good.


He wasn’t late. Yet. She took a deep breath, expecting him to be, when he arrived in front of her.


“Hi Hannah…” he made himself at home across from her as he sat down.


“Andy...Hi…” the surprise was written all over her face, and Andy couldn’t help but smirk. 


“You said noon, right?”


‘I- did. Thank you for being on time…”


Andy gave her a small smile “Well...This is important.”


He had been coached. That much was clear. Minding his P’s and Q’s so the court would warm to him. Damn.. His lawyer was good. 


Andy pulled his phone out his coat pocket, hitting a button. 


“Mind if I record this?”


Hannah swallowed a hard knot in her throat. “No problem.”


Behave, Hannah, she thought.


“Great...So...What did you wanna discuss, Hannah…”


“Well…” Hannah took a minute to emphasize her point. “Olivia is your daughter, too, Andy. I recognize that. You have a right to spend time with her. We are two reasonable parties, right? I think between us both...We can come to some sort of agreement.”


Andy tilted his head to stare at her. “I’m listening…”


“You’re going to have to earn her trust. What I say...doesn’t matter. It matters that she is comfortable...and well taken care of…”


Andy nodded. They were both choosing their words VERY carefully. “Ok…”


Hannah cleared her throat. 


“I’m open to ideas. When and where do you want to see her, Andy?”


Andy’s eyes had become intrigued, thrown off. Without a word, he reached for his phone, shutting off the recorder before grabbing it.


“Are you being serious?”


“Yes.” Hannah replied matter-of-factly. “Try me.”


Andy took a breath, reaching into a folder in front of him. He slid a paper across the table. 


“This is my schedule for the next 3 months. Just the next 3 months. My assistant has been instructed that this cannot change.”


Hannah scanned the calendar in front of her, eyes shooting up to him. “Andy…”


Andy held his hands up, sighing. “I...get it, Hannah. I need to make time. “


Hannah bit her lip “What happens after 3 months.”


Andy nodded “We re-evaluate. Make sure it’s working.”


“Did your lawyer come up with this?” Hannah asked, feeling bold.


Andy snickered. “I did, actually. You did it, Hannah. I heard you.” He looked down, his jaw tense. “She’s lucky you’re her mom. I mean it.”


Hannah looked away. “She didn’t get much of a choice, did she?”


“Look, Can we just...Talk about it?”


“Talk about what?” Hannah looked at him. 


Andy sighed “About that night, Hannah…”


Hannah felt herself go a little numb. “I don’t really think we need to…” she swallowed.


“I think we do...Because I owe you an apology…”


Hannah’s jaw dropped. “You...What…”


Andy nodded “We don’t even really know each other, do we? I mean...We...hooked up...We had Olivia...and...Well...That’s...really all, right?”


Hannah tightened her jaw and cleared her throat “Did you ever WANT to know me, Andy?”


He sighed “No. Not like that. I...I liked what I saw. I’m sorry.”


She nodded before whispering “I liked what I saw, too...I wasn’t in a good place.”


Andy nodded “Yeah, well...I know...and that should have stopped me…”


Hannah shifted in her seat “I mean...me too…” she sighed. “But why now? This all just came to you?”


He smiled wistfully “When you um...When you told me you were engaged...I’m happy for you...I’m...happy for Olivia. The truth is...I’m pretty lonely, Hannah-”


“Andy-” she started.


“Let me finish…” he held up a hand. “I’ve lived my whole life for my career. Every decision I make, everywhere I go, how I spend my down time, how I spend my money-It’s all lifestyle. I’m not a kid anymore...and all I have to show for it...is a bad reputation and an empty apartment.”


Hannah stared at him, trying to process his words. “Isn’t that...what you want?”


Andy shook his head “No. I mean, who wants to be alone?”


“Andy, I don’t understand…” Hannah spoke softly.


“When you got pregnant,” he struggled “I...Well I certainly wasn’t planning for it...A kid..a whole OTHER thing to be responsible for. I wasn’t ready. I know how to live my life. It’s like autopilot now. I don’t know how to have a kid, Hannah. I still don’t…”


“Yeah...No shit…” she crossed her arms in front of her.


He sighed “I want to. She’s 4. I don’t want…” he closed his eyes “I don’t want her to hate me.”


Hannah blinked. “You...Are you fucking kidding? She doesn’t HATE you, Andy...She MISSES you…”


The color drained from his face as he stared back at her “She...misses me?”


“YES! She misses you. Jesus Christ, you’re her DAD. She’s 4! You think she cares what you do for a living, or how much money you make, or if your CLIENTS are happy?” 


Andy sighed, looking down “She likes him, doesn’t she…”


Hannah took a breath “You mean JC?”


“Yeah…”


Hannah nodded “He’s good to her, Andy...He loves her…”


Andy’s jaw tightened “I want another chance with her, Hannah…”


“How can I trust that you won’t hurt her?” Hannah looked at him sternly.


“You can help me,” he breathed.


“Excuse me?” 


“Just the first couple times. Come with us...Leave notes. Give me ideas. I don’t care. Then it’s like you’re there the whole time.”


Hannah stared at him, considering his idea “That’s actually not a horrible idea…”


“Whatever it takes. “ His eyes were resolved. 


“And the court date?” Hannah challenged him. 


Andy sighed. “I can get us out of that.”


Hannah’s eyes went slightly wide, relieved though suspicious “Why would you…”


“Let me try again, and we can do this your way…”


Hannah bit her lip, getting an idea “You should get a puppy…”


“What?” he looked confused.


“A puppy.” she repeated “It’s practice. They are a LOT like babies...and...Olivia has always wanted one.”


Andy smiled “Would be good company…”


**


Olivia sat at the kitchen island, swinging her feet in her booster chair as she stared at JC.


“Josh, Can I have cookies?”


JC smirked as he gathered ingredients to make lunch.


“Livie...Let’s have some lunch first, yeah?”


“And then cookies?” she charmed.


“Maybe…” he smiled at her. 


“Mommy said I could have soda…” she sat straight up as she looked at him.


JC placed both hands on the island, leaning close to her. He shook his head gently “No she didn’t, silly…”


Olivia nodded her head “Uh huh! She said so um...at my house…”


JC chuckled. “Nice try, Olivia. Besides...milk goes better with this” He held up a jar of peanut butter and her eyes lit up.


“PBJ?” She gasped.


JC grinned “Yeah. I can’t really cook, Liviebug...Do you like PBJ?”


She nodded excitedly “Yes please!”


“Ok! One PBJ coming right up”




The two of them sat on JC’s couch eating. He had flipped past some sort of sesame street marathon on PBS, leaving it to play when Olivia had shouted “Elmo!”


He smiled to himself as he recognized older episodes, his eyes going wide at one in particular. 

Knowing what was coming, he smirked as he waited to see if Olivia would notice.


Olivia was transfixed as Elmo announced “And now, Sesame Street presents...some guys who really have it together...They’re *NSync…”


He blushed and bit his lip as he watched himself run onto the screen with the rest of his former band. A sweet little melody started and they started singing 


“Oh you can be what you wanna be...See what you wanna see...Believe in yourself…Just believe in yourself”


He tried to keep his cool as Olivia sat up suddenly, her head turning quickly toward him.


“Josh!” she pointed at the tv with wide eyes. “THAT’S YOU!”


JC nodded “Yes it is. And those are my friends- Lance, Justin, Chris, and Joey…”


She was all smiles as she bounced to the song “DID YOU MEET ELMO?”


JC grinned at her “Yes I did. He was really nice. Big Bird is really funny, too…”


Olivia giggled “I like that song…”


“Yeah?”


Olivia nodded. “Uh huh. You can sing it…”


JC laughed. “You got it Livie...After lunch, ok?”


Olivia turned to her sandwich, taking a big bite as she made a face. JC but his lip nervously.


“Livie...Something wrong with your sandwich?”


“It doesn’t taste like mommy’s…” she mumbled with a full mouth.


JC smiled “Well...Different can be good, yeah? Do you like it?”


Olivia nodded. “It’s weird.”


JC laughed a little “As long as it’s good weird.”


Olivia shrugged and kept eating, as JC turned to his own plate. He hadn’t had peanut butter and jelly in awhile, and he had to admit it still held up. The raspberry jam was a nice touch, he thought.


A few minutes later, a wheezing sound caught his attention as he turned his focus to Olivia. She sat, plate on her lap, coughing as she tried to catch her breath, bits of sandwich flying out of her mouth.


“Olivia...What’s wrong…” His eyes went wide as he got up to sit next to her.


She took a gulp of air as her hands went to the bottom of her chin near her neck. “It’s...itchy…” she croaked through a slightly hoarse voice.


“Ok...Ok…” he gently grabbed her hands. “Let me see.” Her face had started to go red, and he could see a rash forming on her neck.


His heartbeat picked up as he swallowed “Livie...Does it hurt?”


She shook her head as she continued to wheeze.


“Ok..ok…” He got up and paced, then ran to the folder in the kitchen, frantically searching for any allergy lists. Nothing. 


He glanced around the room, finding nothing that should have caused this reaction. His brain went to her comment. “Weird.”


He crouched down in front of her “Breathe slowly ok...Listen to me, Livie Bug...Do you know what mommy puts in PBJ?”


Olivia stared at him with scared eyes “Um. Peanut butter.”

“Uh huh...and…”


“Purple stuff…”


JC sighed. Grape jelly. 


He grabbed the rest of her sandwich, showing her the raspberry jam. “Have you ever eaten this….?”


She shook her head no.


“Shit…” he whispered. 


Olivia’s eyes went wide. “Bad... word!”


JC rubbed his forehead “I’m sorry, Livie….Listen...We have to go to the doctor ok...So you won’t be itchy…”


“No…” Olivia protested as she started to scoot away.


“Livie...It’s ok. I’ll be right there, ok…” He grabbed his phone to dial 911, his fingers shaking as he tried not to panic.


***


Hannah smiled, a huge weight lifted off her shoulders as she realized her and Andy were going to be able to come to an agreement.


“Can I see her next weekend? I’ll come to your place. You can stay the whole time. I blocked off the day…”


Hannah took a breath “Maybe. Can I think about it?”


Andy nodded, looking down “That’s fair…”


Before she could say another word, her phone rang. 


“Hey Jace, how are- What...OH MY GOD. Is she ok? ...Ok...Ok...I’m leaving now…” 


Pulling some cash out of her wallet quickly, she dropped it onto the table. “I’m sorry...I have to go. We will talk. Tomorrow. We will figure this out.”


The panic in her eyes made Andy stand “Hannah...What’s going on…”


Hannah sighed, wondering if she should tell him. He was her father, after all, and if they were going to work together, maybe she should try, too.


“Olivia had a reaction to something. She’s on her way to the emergency room.”


Andy grabbed his folder as he pushed in his chair. “I’ll follow you…”


“Andy…” Hannah warned. 


“HANNAH...I’m her father. You just said emergency room…”


Hannah closed her eyes briefly. “Fine...But please be nice…”


“Nice?” he looked at her confused before recognition set in. “SHE’S WITH HIM?”


“Andy...Not now. We gotta go…”

 

Hannah practically ran out of the coffee shop, with Andy scrambling to follow her.

Chapter 28 by IvyVega

JC sat nervously in a private room, everything a blur around him as Olivia clung to him for dear life on his lap.  Having screamed at the idea of waiting on the cold exam room table, JC happily held his arms around her as they waited for treatment. 


He was just as scared as she was, and trying not to show it. This was his least favorite place to be, and seeing her so uncomfortable was ripping him apart. She was still struggling to breathe, and the rash on her neck had gotten worse. It felt like a million years had gone by, even though it had only been a few minutes.

“J-o-osh..” she huffed in broken breaths through her tears “I’m... scared…”

He tightened his jaw, steadying his own nerves as he squeezed her arms gently “I know, sweet girl...but the doctors are gonna make you feel better. Can you be brave? For me?”


She sniffled as she took deep, but short breaths “O-Okay...You stay here?”


He sighed as he brushed a hand over her hair “Yeah, Livie...I’m not going anywhere…”


JC’s eyes went wide as a nurse entered with what looked like a tube and a thick needle. Turning away from Olivia, he had a silent pep talk with himself. He HATED needles. They made him more uncomfortable than most things in life. He wasn’t a scared 4 year old, though. Olivia needed him. She needed him to be strong, to be the one to tell her it was all gonna be ok.


Seeing the tube for herself, Olivia moved to get off his lap and run. “No….NOOOOO!” she screamed as she broke the hold of his arms.


Moving forward before the nurse could, JC wrapped his arms around her in a hug “Hey...heyyy….” he soothed “Livie...It’s ok…”


“No no no!” she continued to protest, thrashing in his arms. He tightened his grip slightly, making sure not to crush her, as he spoke “Livie bug! Wanna make it go away?” he asked gently. 


She nodded, lip still pouting. 


“Ok. Close your eyes…” he spoke softly, remembering a trick from his own childhood. 

Olivia looked at him suspiciously “Go ahead, Livie...Close your eyes…” She relaxed a little as she closed her eyes tight.


Glancing at the nurse, his eyes encouraged her forward as he continued to speak to Olivia, and lifted her gently on the exam table. 


“Ok...Ok good...Now...Livie...Where does Skye live…?”

She smiled slightly before answering “Um…’Venture Bay!”


JC smiled as she sat straight up with excitement. 


“Yes, that’s right! “ He shook his head, blushing as he started singing 

“Do you know the paw patrol...the paw patrol...the paw patrol...Do you know the paw patrol who protects adventure bay?”


Olivia giggled “CHASE IS ON THE CASE…” 


The nurse beamed as she held back from laughing, approving eyes on JC as she gently moved to position the Epi pen. Aiming carefully, she administered the jab quickly to Olivia’s leg.


Immediately, her eyes popped open and a scream escaped her. 


“Heyyyy…” JC soothed, feeling like he might keel over at any minute “It’s over...It’s over…”

He kept his gentle grip on her until the tension in her body released slowly.


“ALL DONE, sweetheart!” the nurse beamed at her as she held a cotton ball to her leg. “Do you want a regular band-aid...or a princess band-aid?”


“PRINCESS!” Olivia grinned, forgetting about the needle.


“I thought so…” the nurse smiled, pulling  a pink glittery band-aid from the pocket of her scrubs. 

“I keep these around for emergencies…” she winked at JC.


“Thank you,” he smiled, his voice low. 


“You doing ok?” the nurse gave him a concerned look.


The color was rapidly draining from his face, and a bead of sweat had formed just under his hairline. 


“Yeah I um..” he shook his head “Not big on needles…” he whispered. 


The nurse smiled. “The doctor will be by shortly...I’m gonna get you some apple juice..”


“Oh no I’m…” Jc protested, gripping the arm of his chair. 


“...You’re white as a ghost..Olivia...Would you like some juice, too?” she smiled.


Olivia nodded. “Yes, please…” 


**

JC’s head snapped up as he heard footsteps approaching. Hannah was practically sprinting to the ER bed, panic on her face. 


“LIVIE...BABY!” She threw her arms around Olivia as she kissed the top of her head and hugged her tight. 


“Mommy!” she hugged her back and buried her face into Hannah. 


Smoothing her messy hair back, she looked at her. “Are you ok? Baby can you breathe?”


“Yes, mommy…” she clutched her carton of apple juice. 


Setting his own carton down, JC let out a slow breath. “She um. Anaphylactic shock. Raspberry jam. Raspberries. They gave epinephrine with an Epi pen. They wanna walk you through keeping one at home and how to use it. Did a small blood draw, too. Waiting on bloodwork to come back…”


Hannah stared at him “You...There were...needles?” she gave him a meaningful look. 


JC nodded slowly “Uh...yeah…”


Hannah’s eyes went slightly wide “Are YOU...ok?”


JC bit his lip, blushing slightly “...Fine…”


Hannah nodded in a daze, one hand on her chest. “I um,” she swallowed the lump in her throat, her heart still beating out of her chest. “Thank you, Jace…”


“Hannah I...I didn’t know about raspberries...You didn’t-”


“I didn’t know…” she spoke softly, looking down. 


“Sounds like she’s in GREAT hands with you two…” Andy snickered behind Hannah. 


“Hi Daddy…” Olivia whispered, her breath more even and steady now.


“Hey beautiful!” Andy pushed past Hannah to hug Olivia. “I bet you were so scared...Mommy and daddy are right here,ok?”


Olivia stared at him, unsure. “Okay…”


JC’s eyes were daggers into Andy. “I need some air…” he looked to Hannah, standing as he wobbled a bit on his feet. 


“Jace…” Hannah’s eyes went wide. 


“I’m fine…” he held a hand out, pausing a beat before taking a sip of apple juice. Composing himself, he looked to Olivia “I’ll be right back, ok Livie?”


Olivia smiled at him “Ok, Josh.”


“We got this, man... “ Andy called after him. 


Turning around, he spoke directly to Andy “Bit late for that, don’t you think…” 


Hannah looked between the two of them, moving closer to Olivia.


“Jace…”


“She’s my daughter. Late for WHAT?”


“Interesting...We missed you last time she had a cold…”


Andy smirked, taking a breath “Missed you when she was born…”


Hannah’s blood pressure started to rise as she struggled to stay calm in front of Olivia.


“Stop…” she whispered.


“You poisoned my kid and you want some kind of bragging rights for making sure it didn’t kill her?”


JC’s jaw was tight and his entire face was on fire. “You’ve ignored your child for 4 years and you wanna play dad now?”


Hannah’s eyes narrowed. “ENOUGH. Both of you. OUT!” she pointed toward the exit.


“Hannah..” they both protested at once. 


“Get. OUT…” she repeated through gritted teeth. Olivia’s eyes were wide next to her. “Mommy...I don’t want Josh to leave…”


“He’ll be back later, baby…” she spoke evenly, eyes still on the two men. 


“Nice, Hannah…” Andy scoffed at her as he made his way to the exit.


“Annie…” JC pleaded, rubbing the back of his neck as he came back down to earth.


“No...You too. You need to cool off...Both of you...Work it out over there. I’m a little busy at the moment…” her eyes went to Olivia. 


JC sighed, biting his lip. “I’ll be in the waiting room…”


JC made his way to the waiting room, finding that Andy had beat him there. 


“Proud of yourself?” Andy threw at him.


JC sat far enough away from him to have his own space. “Olivia’s ok. That’s all I care about, man…”


Andy huffed. “Thank you.”


“What?” JC’s eyes went wide.


“I said...Thank you...For...saving her life…”


“That was the doctors…”


Andy shook his head “You acted quickly. You got her here.”


JC gave Andy a suspicious look “What else was I supposed to do…?”


“Look I...I love my daughter…”


“Ok” 


“I don’t. I don’t know what I’m doing. Then you just...Show up and...You just...Get it?”


JC snorted “You think I know what I’m doing? I have no idea…”


“Look… I don’t LOVE how close she is to you, but ...I guess that’s my own fault…”


“I’m never gonna hurt her, Andy…”


“I know that…” Andy sighed “I never hated you, man…”


JC gave him a quizzical look. “Then why-”


“You almost got me canned.”


“I’m sorry- WHAT?!” JC stared at him. 


“Your album wasn’t...progressing the way it should have. I didn’t have the right answers. I didn’t have as much control as I let on, either.”


JC let out a slow breath, leaning forward to rest his elbows on his knees. “Wow…”


Andy closed his eyes, wincing as his next words came “I’m...sorry…”


“Is this...Like some anger management thing or something…” JC looked at him in bewilderment. 


“Heh...Not a bad idea...I just need to get my shit together. That’s all.”


“Look, man...This isn’t even about us, honestly…”


“Yeah...You’re right...and I told Hannah I’m gonna try. I mean it this time…”


JC studied him, reluctant to trust, but willing to be the bigger person “Ok. Wanna start by letting Hannah call the shots in there…” he nodded his head toward the treatment area.


Andy smirked “She’s going to, anyway…”


JC smiled. Hannah’s independence and hard head were two of the reasons he loved her as much as he did. “Wait until you spend more time with Olivia…”


Both men made their way back to the exam area. Hannah stood as they approached. “No. She’s asleep.” She looked to JC “She thinks you’re mad at her.” 


Hannah was PISSED. 


Jc felt his heart drop to his stomach “Annie...I’m sorry…”


Hannah’s eyes scanned his, shifting away “We’ll talk about it later. “ She directed her gaze toward Andy.


“This is NOT a good start… “He’s in her life. Like it or not. HE stepped up when you never did. He made a mistake, but he took care of it. THAT’S what being a parent is, Andy…”


Andy hung his head, shoving his hands in his pockets “Yeah…”


“And YOU.” she turned to JC. “He’s her FATHER. That isn’t changing. Letting him back into her life could be a HUGE mistake, but I have to try. And we have to be a team.”


JC nodded “You’re right.”


“I don’t care what happened in the past anymore. I don’t care if you two hate each other. What you WON’T do...Is put my daughter in the middle of your shit…” Her eyes were dark and there was venom in her tone as she kept her voice just above a whisper so she didn’t wake up Olivia.


“Hannah...Sit down…” Andy spoke gently. 


“Andy…”


“Annie…” JC gestured toward a chair as she stared at him like he had lost his mind. “Please…”


Hannah looked between both of them as she sat. “What’s going on…?”


JC sighed. “I’m sorry, Annie. We...both are..” he looked quickly to Andy, who nodded in agreement.


“She’s what matters…” Andy looked at Olivia, a small smile tugging at his lips.


Hannah’s breath picked up “Huh?”


“We talked…” JC bit his lip.


Hannah stared blankly at him “You...and...Andy?”


Andy chuckled “Yep.”


Hannah looked out in front of her, then to Olivia, then to both men. “And?”


“And ...We’re all on the same team, Annie...From now on…” JC smiled.


**

JC got up as he heard Hannah walking down the stairs, making his way to her as she walked into the kitchen. He watched her wordlessly reach for a bottle of wine, pouring herself a glass. Her eyes looked up as she saw him.


“You want?” she held up the bottle.


“Um. Sure…” he studied her. 


She grabbed another glass, pouring it and handing it to him as she took a sip of hers. Standing at the kitchen island, she wasn’t saying anything. Her eyes were flat.


“Annie...are you ok?” he spoke softly. 


“I’m fine…” she mumbled, not looking at him. 


JC sighed, resting both hands on the side of the island. “I get it. You’re mad. You have every reason to be. First I...Well I shouldn’t have given Livie something she didn’t know...and then the thing with Andy I-”


“I’M NOT MAD” she huffed above a whisper, setting down her glass to grip the counter. Taking a breath, she continued. “I’m not mad at you. I’m not mad at anyone. I can’t be mad right now…”


“Hannah…”


“Jace…” she shook her head “I didn’t know. She’s my daughter. I know everything about her...and I didn’t know this.”  She took another swig of wine. 


JC’s brow furrowed as his concern grew “Hannah...no one did. She’d never had raspberries before. How could you have known?”


‘I’m SUPPOSED to know. Moms are SUPPOSED to know. And I wasn’t there. I wasn’t even there when she-” she paused, almost choking on the sinking feeling that had risen from her stomach into her throat.


“Annie…” He moved to her side to wrap his arms around her “You. Are an AMAZING mother. She’s happy...She’s healthy...She’s well-behaved.”


“She could have died…” she whispered.


‘She didn’t…”


“Thanks to you…” she looked at him, her eyes glassy.


JC looked down “Hannah...I’m the one who almost killed her…”


She shook her head “No...You didn’t know. No one would expect you to know…” 


Hannah was shivering lightly now. “If I lost her, I…” she shook her head, the thought of it breaking her. 


“You’re not going to…” JC looked into her eyes as he grabbed her shoulders gently. “Hey…” he lifted her face to look at his “You’re not gonna lose her…”

Hannah let the tears fall as JC kissed her softly, quickly...a reassurance.


“Mmm...Jace its just..” she pushed him away gently. “Everything is changing. It’s all different. Olivia has an allergy now...Andy is...Maybe going to actually be in her life...You two get along?” 


She ran a hand through her hair nervously. “I took my foot off the wheel. SHE’S been my focus for 4 years. I mean my career is autopilot compared to her...I let my guard down and this happens…”


She had started to pace, and JC was worried.


“Annie...She’s still your focus. That never changed. It’s never going to…”


“I mean we’re getting married, Jace...MARRIED. I wrote you out of my life. I’m a mom. That’s what I thought. That’s what I knew. I made my peace. Then I looked up and...there you were again…”


“Annie I didn’t mean to...I wasn’t trying to confuse you…”


She sighed. “You ...didn’t confuse me. I just...It’s overwhelming. I never even knew IF I wanted kids or not and then there she was and now...Now she’s the center of my universe, and I flaked. I left her to go argue with her father.”


“It wasn’t arguing, Annie…”


“And now...You wanna marry me? I mean all these years later. You couldn’t ask then and you’re sure now? AFTER my life became something totally different?”


“Hannah. You should sit down…” his eyes were wide, noticing how pale she had gotten.


She sighed, flopping onto the couch. “I’m just so tired…” 

Her amber eyes were on him now, barely focused. 


He moved to sit next to her, pulling her into his chest. “I know…”


“I have to be so strong all the time. For her. For my career...For you…”


He pulled back a little to look at her “Annie...You don’t have to be anything but yourself for me…”


She closed her eyes, pressing herself against him as she pulled her feet up onto the couch.


“Jace…” she looked up at him before collapsing into a heap. 


Pulling her into him tightly, he kissed her hair as she let herself go. It was a cocktail of relief, fear, nerves, and the unmatched love of a mother for her child. They were the tears of a woman who had handled so much to find herself living in the middle of her dreams. It was a release she had needed for years, and one she had known deep down she wanted him there for.

 

JC took a breath as he held her. It had been one of the longest days of his life. He was exhausted, but nothing could keep him from being her rock in this moment. Having her in his life complicated things- in the best possible way. A small smile found him as he considered everything they had been through; everything he had signed up for when he walked back into her life. He had always been so in control of his own life: a perfectionist. Accepting the unpredictability of Hannah’s life, and having a child around, was a huge learning curve. It was daunting. It was overwhelming. It was...everything he never knew he wanted.

Chapter 29 by IvyVega

Hannah sighed as she stood at the bottom of the porch, staring at the door one last time. She tossed her set of keys, now off her keychain up and down in her hand. 


She was moving. Again. A sad smile crossed her features as she realized it would be for the last time. Her condo had sold much more quickly than she had planned for, but it also didn’t surprise her. It was an amazing place. A place where her whole life had changed. A place she had made big plans for. Plans she had rapidly outgrown when JC showed up again. 


Her eyes stared in wonder as her mind finally brought her into the present. 


The Hills. She was moving into the Hollywood Hills. Her daughter would know a much different life than she ever did growing up, but it all felt so normal now. He made it feel so normal. 


An arm wrapped around her lower back from the side, Olivia holding his hand on the end of the other one. 


“You ready?” He smiled as he kissed her temple. 


She nodded, blowing out a meaningful breath that vibrated through her lips. “Yeah...Yeah let’s go…” 


“If it’s too soon, Annie…”


“It’s not…” she smiled up at him “Plus, this isn’t my place anymore. Legally.”


“I’d just buy it back…” JC smirked. 


“Uh huh…” she laughed quickly “You’re gonna be my husband...We should probably live in the same house.”


JC grinned, the corners of his eyes scrunching up “I think that’s the first time you’ve actually said that…”


“Well…” Hannah shrugged as she bit her lip. 


“Can I sit in the front?” Olivia peered up at JC as she tugged his hand to get his attention. 


JC moved to pick her up into his arms. “That’s up to your mommy…”


Hannah smirked. JC knew she wasn’t tall enough to be out of her booster seat. It WAS kind of a big day in her life, though. 


“Tell ya what…Just this once. But you have to wear your seatbelt ALL THE WAY and hold on, ok?”


Olivia  clapped her hands together in excitement “OK! I PROMISE MOMMY…”


Hannah gave JC a look “If you drive over the speed limit, there won’t be a wedding…”


JC grinned wide “I mean I’m cool with city hall too, mama…”


“That isn’t what I---Shut up…” she teased back.


**

JC turned the knob of his front door, stopping just short of opening it all the way. He looked back at Olivia, smiling as he bit his lip. 


“Ready to see your castle, Princess?” 


Olivia giggled and nodded “I wanna see.”


Hannah grinned at JC as he stepped aside to let Olivia run in. Her eyes darted in every direction as she took in her new home. 


“Woowww…” she breathed, walking over to the floor to ceiling windows overlooking the balcony. “Can we go out there?”


JC’s brow furrowed a bit, knowing the low wall would keep her safe, but looking back to Hannah to make sure.


Hannah smirked, reading his mind. “A little later, ok baby? Let’s see the rest of the house first!”


Olivia settled for her mother’s idea. “Ok…” She ran off in one direction as JC and Olivia followed her.


“Hey! Careful!” Hannah called through her amusement. 


She reached the stairs and slowed down as she climbed them.


“Hey Liviebug...Come here…” JC smiled as he took her hand and led her through a door to one of the bedrooms. “Welcome home, cutie…”



Olivia’s jaw dropped as she dragged kitty along with her, stretching her head to look all around the room.


“This is MINE?” she stared back at Hannah and JC.


JC beamed “Sure is! All yours! “


Hannah’s eyes landed in the corner of the room, where a brand new, child-sized, pink baby grand piano and matching bench sat. 


“Jace…” Her eyes melted as she looked at him and Olivia noticed the instrument.


He shrugged, hands shoved in pockets “She wants to learn, so…” 


Hannah wrapped her arms around him, laying her head on his chest with a sigh. “You…”


Olivia gasped as she pressed a few of the keys. “OH MY GOSH”


“Livie can you say thank you?” Hannah smiled.


Jumping up off the bench, she ran to JC, hugging his legs tightly “Thank you Thank you Thank you!”


“You’re very welcome…” he beamed as he kneeled down to hug her back.


Surveying the rest of the room, her next focus was on the walls. 


 “Mommy can I have my stars?”


Hannah smiled “Of course! We brought those with us!” she reassured, referring to the star string lights that had lit up her old bedroom. 


Olivia was smiling so wide it nearly came off her face “It’s BIG! “ She looked to Hannah.


“Mommy we need a baby!”


Hannah felt herself choke a little “Um what? Livie...You’re so silly!” 


Olivia shook her head emphatically “We need a baby cuz there’s lots of room! And mommies and daddies have babies!”


JC knelt back down to her level “We have a baby,” he tickled her arm lightly “We have a Livie…”


Olivia giggled “I’m not a BABY!”


Hannah laughed “No...You’re a big girl...So you get a big girl room!”


Olivia got serious “I’ll take care of a baby!”


“Oh...will you?” Hannah laughed. Olivia nodded and smiled.


“How about a puppy? Puppies are babies…” JC teased.


“Nooo...a BABY baby…” Olivia insisted. 


JC looked to Hannah, his eyes shifting. “Ya know what Livie Bug...Maybe…”


Hannah smiled, looking back at him in answer “Yeah...Maybe.”


***

JC let out a breath as he walked into the master bedroom from the en suite, fresh from the shower. Hannah noted how relaxed he looked with a towel around his waist, damp curls doing their own thing as he made his way to a drawer for a pair of joggers and a t-shirt. 


“I’m beat…” He smiled as he climbed into the bed next to her. 


“Me too…” she smiled “Thank God we hired movers. I’d be even more dead.”


“Mmm...But you’re HOME…” he bit his lip as he wrapped an arm around her to pull her close.


Hannah blushed “Yeah...We are…”


“Feels much better...Having you both here...All the time.”


“It’s night one, Jace...You might change your mind…” she teased. 


“Not a chance…” his eyes crinkled as he dipped his head to kiss her. Reaching a hand to his face, she returned the sentiment, finding her way deeper into his lips. His hand moved down to her side, gripping the skin between her cami and her pajama pants.


Pulling away slightly Hannah paused, focus in her eyes. 


“Wait…” she whispered...pointer finger in the air. “Liv…”


JC grinned, lips to her neck as he chuckled against her. “Annie...She was out cold. She’s asleep…”


Hannah shook her head “Rookie mistake, Jace...Give it a minute…”


JC sighed, kissing her quickly “Fine…”


Heads on pillows, they laid silent, eyes matching their ears as they held their breaths. More than a few moments passed, and JC grinned. “See…”


Hannah bit her lip, smiling as he moved to kiss her again, his hands moving under the comforter. Her hands slid up his bare chest, roaming his arms as the kiss got deeper. One hand under her elastic waistband, JC moved down the top of her thigh.


“MOMMMYYYYYYYYY…..” a voice pierced the mood.


JC’s hand jolted to a stop, eyes popping open, as Hannah couldn’t help but laugh. 


“...Told you…” 


JC’s sigh was audible as he rolled onto his back, one hand covering his face. 


“Garrgghhhaahh” his groan was unintelligible. 


“Welcome to being a parent, Jace…” she kissed his shoulder in sympathy. “I’ll be right back,” she breathed with a slight giggle.

**

Andy waited, somehow nervous. He had stayed true to his word, having shown up on time and hung out with Hannah and Olivia three times in the last two months.  Olivia had clung mostly to Hannah, but they were making progress. 


This would be his first time having Olivia for an entire weekend since their agreement. Everything had to go well, or he could lose his chance to stay in his daughter’s life. He also knew JC would be dropping her off, with Hannah being wrapped up in her second book, which had officially been picked up to be published. 


He sat on his doorstep, too anxious to wait inside, lifting his head as he heard a car door slam.

 

He spotted Olivia first, watching her wait for him. JC climbed out of the driver’s seat, accepting Olivia’s hand as she reached out for him. His heart dropped as they made their way up the drive. 


“Hey sweetie!” Andy smiled at her. Olivia looked up to JC, then back at Andy. “Hi…”


“You wanna come inside? We’re gonna have fun this weekend.”


Olivia grabbed the straps of her backpack, looking down.


“Hey, Livie bug...You hear that? You get to have a whole weekend of fun! “ JC encouraged. 


She looked up at him, not convinced. “Ok…”


“Hey, uh...Andy...Didn’t you say you got a new puppy?” JC gave him a look, remembering part of a conversation he had overheard between him and Hannah.


Andy smiled, a bit relieved. “Um...Yes. Yeah...You wanna meet him, baby girl?” he looked at Olivia. 


“Is it a big doggie?” she asked, suspicious. 


Andy smiled “No, honey...He’s a little doggie...And he’s fluffy…”


She lit up. “REALLY?!”


He nodded, relaxing a little. “Really...He needs a name, though. Maybe you can help me with that?”


“Okay!” she jumped a little. 


Andy laughed back. “Ok. Hey Olivia, How about you go inside. I’ll be right there,” he said, eyes on JC. 


JC looked down to her, crouching down. “Ok. Go inside, Livie. I’ll see you in a couple days, ok?”


She looked unsure as she nodded at him. 


“Hey...I promise. Two sleeps, ok. Can I have a hug?” he opened his arms, wrapping her in a hug when she made quick work of wrapping her arms around him. 


“Ok...Love you, Livie Bug...Go have fun.”


Andy took her backpack, letting her inside safely before turning back to JC.


“Uh...Thanks, man.”


“For what…” JC remained stoic. 


“Dropping her off. Being good to her. Putting up with me taking some of Hannah’s time…”


JC nodded.  “Same team, right?”


“Yeah... You’re amazing with that kid.”


“She’s a great kid.”


Andy sighed, shoving his hands in his pockets. “And you’re a great guy, JC.”


JC smirked. “Okay.”


Andy took a deep breath “I meant what I said. To Hannah.  To you. I’ll keep trying harder. For my daughter.”


“That’s all any of us want, man…” JC looked at him. 


Andy nodded. 


“Hannah’s gonna come get her...Sunday night.” JC reminded him before turning to leave.


“JC... “ Andy called after him.


“Yeah?”


“I have some artists I’m working with...Could use some help...Maybe a producer?”


JC gave him a half smile. “We’re not there yet, man…”


Andy nodded. “Uh...Right. But ya know, if…”


“I’ll think about it, man…” he looked toward the house “Go name that dog…” he smiled.


Andy smiled, waving JC goodbye as he pulled out of the drive. He sighed, turning to join Olivia inside. 

 

She was sitting on the couch, looking around, backpack still on.


“You can take that off, sweetie…” Andy sat next to her. 


Staring at him for a second, she slowly pulled the straps down her arms and handed the backpack to him.


“Where’s the doggie?” she asked him innocently. 


Andy smiled “In his kennel. You wanna meet him now?”


Olivia nodded slowly.


“Ok..Come on..” he motioned for Olivia to follow him. 


They reached a small cage, where a ball of fluff got on its feet, shuffling to the front of the cage to prop his front paws up. He issued a noise somewhere between a squeak and a bark.


Olivia jumped back a little, and Andy tried to reassure her. 


“It’s ok, Olivia. He just wants to say hi.”


“Hi doggie…” she waved one hand, the other behind her back.


Andy carefully unlatched the door, scooping up the puppy in his arms. 

“You wanna pet him? He’s really soft.”


Olivia tentatively reached out her hand.


“Ok. Slowly, Olivia. Pet him on his back”


She softly touched the puppy’s fur and smiled as he twisted in Andy’s arms to lick her as a greeting. Olivia pulled her hand back and giggled.


“He licked me!”


Andy laughed. “Yeah...That means he likes you.”


Olivia was all smiles now. 


“What are we gonna name him, baby girl…”


“Ummmm” Olivia thought “Puppy!”


Andy grinned “Are you sure? Puppy the puppy?”


Olivia frowned a little “Oh...No ok Ummmm….CHASE!”


Andy stared at her for a second confused, finally remembering the cartoon he had watched with her at Hannah’s place. 


“Oh good name! Chase. I like it. What do you think, buddy?” he asked the puppy. There was a tongue hanging out followed by a short bark as an answer as Olivia laughed.


“I think he approves."


Andy set Chase down as Olivia found a chew toy and threw it for him to chase.


Looking on, Andy felt himself relax. The day was going well. Feeling his own stomach rumble after a couple hours, he suggested lunch.


Sitting at his dining room table, Olivia was quiet as she picked through her macaroni and cheese. He noted the difference in her personality. When Hannah or JC was around, she was bubbly and full of life. Sighing, he swallowed as he spoke gently. 


“Olivia...You really like Josh?” Andy looked at her, resigning himself.


Olivia looked at him with shy eyes, nodding. 


He sighed. “What do you like about him, baby girl?”


Olivia stared down at her food, not saying a word. 


“It’s ok, honey...You can tell me...Is he nice to you?”


Olivia nodded, playing with a noodle.


“Is he nice to mommy?”


“He loves mommy…” she whispered. 


“Does he love you?” 


She nodded again, smiling a little.


Andy took a deep breath. “Do you love him…?”


Olivia looked up at him, fidgeting in her seat.


“It’s ok, honey...Do you love Josh?”


She nodded. Andy sighed.


“Olivia, sweetheart...Look at me. That’s GOOD. Okay? I am glad Josh is nice to you and you love him. Honey...Do you know I love you, too?”


Olivia looked at him, a sweet look on her face. “You do?”


He softened, his heart twisting a bit. “Yes. I love you, baby girl.”


He watched her lip quiver as fat tears fell from her eyes. She cried in heaving breaths as he hurried around to her, pulling her to him. She scooted into him, crying a little louder as he rubbed her back.


“ Oh my God. Oh Olivia… Baby Girl, I am so, so...sorry…” he choked before smoothing her hair back and kissing the top of her head. She calmed down a little, hiccuping as her tears subsided.


“Um...when mommy and Josh um…” she started.


“Get married?” Andy finished.


“Uh huh...Um that...Are you still my daddy?”


Andy slowly let out a breath, looking down before looking at her “Yes, Olivia. I’ll be your daddy always.”


“What about Josh?” she looked at him with wide eyes. 


Andy felt the pit in his stomach grow. How was he supposed to answer this one?


“Well…” he paused. “You’re gonna live with mommy and Josh...I want you to listen to him ok? Be a good girl?“


Olivia nodded “Ok, Daddy.”


Andy stared at her for a minute, holding back his own pride. “Baby girl...You call him whatever you want...Ok?”


Olivia nodded. “Daddy?” she whispered.


“Yeah?”


“I love you.”


Andy cleared his throat, feeling a flood of emotion he had never experienced before. He didn’t know why it had taken him this long to try. He knew he was lucky she would still give him a chance. He knew life as he knew it was over now. This was it. No turning back now.

 

 A smile finding his whole face, he hugged her again. “I love you, too my Olivia…”

Chapter 30 by IvyVega

A quiet night at home, Hannah, JC, and Olivia were settling in to the end of their first week in the same home. It had been a long one, with plenty of adjustments, but it was in the little, every day moments that both adults found themselves perfectly content to be worn out.




Hannah smiled down at JC from the top of the stairs. “You’re up…”


He grinned “This gonna be an every night thing now?”


“I guess so...You started it” she beamed.


He stood from the couch, kissing the top of Hannah’s head as he made his way to the bedroom to sing Olivia to sleep.


He knelt next to her bed. “What do ya wanna hear tonight, Livie-bug?”


She shrugged her shoulders “Ummmmmm...I dunno…”


He smiled “So its a surprise…”


She smiled and nodded “Yes, daddy, sing!”


JC’s heart clenched in his chest as he sighed. “Olivia...We talked about this, you have a daddy, sweet girl…”


She shook her head and looked at JC with eyes that were suddenly older “He said I can call you whatever I want…”


JC’s breath caught in his throat “He...did?”


Olivia nodded. 


A slow sigh as he tucked her comforter tighter around her, he smiled. A thought crossed his mind as he bit his lip. “...What about…’Dad’?”


She smiled back at him “Ok. I love you, dad…”

JC felt his eyes get watery “I love you too, sweetheart…”


Clearing his throat, he went off the cuff to sing an original, on the spot lullaby. 


“Sleep tight, star bright...Princess Olivia...Close your eyes, rainbow skies, Sweet Livie Bug…” 


Olivia giggled as her eyes started to fall.


Tickling her favorite stuffed animal, he continued “Kitty needs her rest, Princess Livie is the best…”


JC grinned as he watched Olivia’s eyes close, smile on her face as she drifted off.




Hannah smiled as JC walked back down the stairs. 


"How'd it go?" She asked.


"She's asleep..." he said, soft expression on his face.


“Good Job,” Hannah grinned, eyes falling on the table in front of her where two glasses of wine sat.


He grinned back, taking a seat as he sat next to her, hand lazily falling to her thigh as he picked up one of the glasses.


“What are you watching?” he smiled, hearing the tv as he turned to look at it. 


“Guilty pleasure…” Hannah blushed.


JC’s smile grew “Annie..This isn’t guilty..This is a classic…” 

He focused on Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey on the screen.


Hannah sighed “It’s just...so...romantic…”


JC smirked “Romantic, huh? Hannah Martin...Have you gotten sentimental on me…?”


She playfully shoved him “Yeah that ship sailed AWHILE ago,” she giggled. 

JC’s eyes danced as he looked from her to the tv and back “Okay...Come here then…”


“What?” she looked back at him as she took a sip of wine..


“Dance with me…” He said in time with the movie, holding his hand out.


Hannah snorted, playing along “Here?”


JC nodded “Here…”


Hannah bit her lip as she got up and let him wrap his arms around her. He dipped her back and around as “Cry to Me” played.


She giggled as she buried her face into the crook of his neck. “Jace…”


“Shhh…” he laughed lightly. “Go with it, mama…” 


She looked up to him as he pulled her in closer, both of them holding each other in a full embrace as they swayed back and forth. Hannah softly placed a few kisses on his neck and he rolled his head into her lips to kiss her back. 


Foreheads touching, they shared a fit of giggles. 


“Got a bit of practice to do that hold at the end…”


JC shook his head “You have a death wish…”


Hannah laughed, letting her arms rest around his lower back. “No...My wish came true…”


JC bit his lip “Mine too…” 


His eyes seemed thoughtful suddenly.



"What's wrong..." Hannah asked, noticing the change.


"Um...Not wrong just..."

"What is it?" 


"Well...Livie...called me...Daddy..." he looked at Hannah.


"Oh...Um...I mean..." Hannah stammered.


JC nodded "Yeah I know I...I've been around a lot..."


"Gonna be around even more."


"Yeah," he agreed.


"Jace ...Just...We can tell her not to do that. I'm sorry..."


"No it's not that...It's just...I'm...not? I just don't wanna step on any toes...What with Andy or...You..." 


Hannah sighed, smiling softly at him. "You're not...What did you tell her?" 


"Just that...She has a daddy?...and...That maybe I could be...Dad?"


Hannah bit her lip. "Well...You kinda are..."


JC smiled, then let out a slow breath "Wow...Yeah I mean...I guess so..."

 

"You're pretty damn good at it, ya know..."


JC blushed.  "Nah..."


"Yes." Hannah said matter-of-factly.


He leaned over to kiss her quickly "Would you trust me with another one?" 


Hannah grinned "Yeah I would..." 


"Annie..." 


She nodded "Me too. I think Livie was right. That room's too big for just her." 


Bending down slightly to pick her up into his arms, he kissed her temple as she gasped lightly. Hannah blushed as he whispered in her ear  "Practice makes perfect..."

 

****

Hannah spoke from behind a curtained off area in a larger dressing room. Her heart was racing and the silk robe she had on seemed to be heated to 100 degrees. Her nerves were getting the best of her. Or maybe it was excitement. Either way, after 2 hours, a handful of fruit, half a bagel, and one glass of champagne, her hair and makeup was done, and it was time to step into her wardrobe for the day. 

 

“Jade…?” she called.

 

There was a happy squeak as she heard a chair shift. “You ready?” she asked.

 

“Yeah,” Hannah bit her lip “It’s dress time…”

 

“We’re coming…” Jade called back excitedly. 

 

Stepping through the curtain with Hannah’s mom and Olivia, Jade gasped.

 

“Oh...Hannah…” she breathed, hand over her heart. 

 

Hannah smiled, avoiding Jade’s eyes to keep from crying “Stop...It’s just a little makeup. All smoke and mirrors…”

 

“No, my love...YOU are ...the most beautiful bride I have ever seen..” her mom grabbed both of her hands, full tears falling from her eyes.

 

“Mom…” Hannah blushed. 

 

“WOW...MOMMY...YOU ARE SO PRETTY…” a small voice came from just next to Jade. 

 

Hannah moved her eyes down to look at her daughter, already dressed and ready to go.

 

“Ohhh...Oh Livie… come here…” Her eyes started to water as Olivia climbed up onto her lap carefully.

 

Pushing a piece of her hair back into place, Hannah took her in. “You are so grown up, baby...You look...perfect…”

 

“Mommy I’m pretty…” she giggled.

 

“Yes. You are! Do you wanna see Mommy’s dress?”

 

She nodded enthusiastically as she carefully made her way back to standing. 

 

“Oh no you don’t…” Hannah’s mom spoke up. “You, pretty girl...Get to do the first look...Just like Josh…” she beamed.

 

Olivia looked to Hannah and Jade, confused. 

 

“It means you get a surprise after Mommy gets dressed!” Jade did her best to sell it.

 

“Oh cool!” Olivia smiled. 

 

Hannah’s mom winked as she took Olivia’s hand to wait in another room. 

 

Jade turned back to Hannah, rubbing her arms “You ok?” she asked, seeing Hannah’s face.

 

“I’m...overwhelmed…” Hannah confessed.

 

Jade nodded “Yeah...I remember that. Then again, I didn’t wait 5 years to marry the love of my life..”

 

“Jade…” Hannah gave her a look.

 

Pointing at her with a smirk, Jade responded “A HA! See...There. There you are. That’s all you have to do today. Enjoy it...And ya know...some vows or whatever...Make it official and all…”

 

Hannah bit her lip “Have you seen him yet?’

 

Jade shook her head “No Ma’am...No spoilers.”

 

Hannah laughed as her makeup artist and assistant carefully brought over her dress in its garment bag and hanger. She stared at the custom wire hanger her mom had given her. 

 

"Mrs. Chasez"  was carefully twisted into neat script along the edge.

 

“When do you think I should tell my mom I’m keeping my last name?” she smirked at Jade.

 

Jade sighed as she shook her head “Probably never…”

 

They shared a giggle as Jade helped her step into the dress.

 

Zipping and buttoning it up, she stared at Hannah over her shoulder to their reflection in the mirror.

 

“You deserve this. “ she smiled, eyes slightly glazed as she echoed Hannah’s words to her at her wedding. “I love you…”

 

Moving one hand back to squeeze Jade’s shoulder, Hannah took a breath “Thank you. I love you too…”

 

 

A grin spread across Jade’s face. “Now let’s go get you married to that gorgeous man…”


Chapter 31 by IvyVega
Author's Notes:

The Big Day <3 

JC stood waiting in the small chapel, every part of his body sweating slightly. 


He felt a clap on his shoulder as Justin spoke “You ready man...She’s on her way in…”


JC nodded silently, pale as a bed sheet. Justin chuckled “You’re gonna be fine. You got this.

Close your eyes.”


“What?” JC stared at him.


Justin giggled. “First look, man...Turn around..”


JC took a breath, doing as Justin said. Smelling perfume, he smiled to himself as a soft set of hands went over his eyes from the step above him.


“Hey...guess who…” she whispered. 


He gently pulled her hands off, turning around to open his eyes. 


She smiled at him from the glow on her face, her features accented by perfect highlight and golden hues around her eyes. Her lips were a soft pink, and her hair was in gentle curls, pulled back delicately, baby’s breath in place,  as if being held by the wind. 


She was breathtaking. Soft silk and lace fell around her collar bone to rest on her shoulders, airy sleeves covering her arms. Her leg peaked out from a demure and flowing skirt of the dress. 


She was beaming at him as he turned her around, eyes going wide, biting his lip as he noticed the fabric in the back dip down well below her shoulder blades. With feather light fingers, he traced her skin as she turned back around. 


“Annie…” he breathed. “Oh my God you are...gorgeous.” His eyes had filled, a sight Hannah didn’t recall ever seeing.


“Jace…” she grinned, running her hand down his cheek. “You look...INCREDIBLE…” She smiled as her eyes went misty.


He brought her hands up with his, fingers interlaced with hers. “Are we really doing this?”


Hannah nodded “Yeah...Last chance to run…” she teased.


He grinned “Annie...I’m never letting you go again.”


“MOMMY!” A small voice interrupted the moment, and Hannah grinned as Olivia let go of her mother’s hand to run over to the two of them.


“Oh my God…” JC breathed, overcome as a silent tear fell from his eyes. Wiping it quickly away, he crouched down carefully to Olivia’s level. 


She was dressed in a blush, satin strapped princess gown with a full skirt in soft tulle. Her hair was curled in big bouncy ringlets, pinned halfway up on her head, with a wreath of baby’s breath on top. She held a basket of flower petals in her hands.


“Livie ...You look like a princess…” he grinned.


She smiled from ear to ear. “You look fancy…”


JC laughed softly “It’s a special day…”


Olivia nodded. “You have a happy face…”


JC grinned and cupped her face with one hand “So do you…”


Olivia giggled.


He let out a slow breath, wrapping two arms around her as he hugged her into him “I love you, Livie Bug…”


“Love you” she grinned.


Hannah put a hand over her eyes, thankful for waterproof makeup as the floodgates opened. 


“Oh no no no no no…” Jade rushed over, pulling a few tissues from her clutch and handing them to Hannah. “We haven’t even started yet...Don’t ruin your makeup NOW…” she teased her. 


Hannah laughed as she dabbed her eyes gently. 


“Mommy are you sad?” Olivia ran to her.


“No, baby...Sometimes people cry when they are very happy…”


Olivia smiled “I’m very happy, too, Mommy…”


***

JC smiled as he sat at a table with his four best friends. It was rare they all got to get together.

Hannah and JC had agreed on a small wedding, but there was no way he wasn’t going to have all of them there on one of the biggest days of his life. He laughed as he watched Hannah on the dance floor with Jade and Olivia, the youngest one among them literally running circles around the two women’s dance moves.


“You got yourself a good one there, man…” Chris interrupted his stare. 


“Yeah...I know... “ JC smiled back at him. 


“And that little girl...Good luck, dude…” Joey chuckled.


JC grinned. “I might need some tips, Joe…”


Joey smirked “I got lucky. Feed ‘em, keep ‘em entertained. Keep ‘em alive…” he joked “Nah man, you’re gonna be fine...She’s a great kid…”


JC took a sip of his drink. “Thanks, man…”


“You SURE you don’t want one of your own?” Justin stared at him, smiling as his own 3 year old played with a napkin in his lap. 


“Actually…” he bit his lip “I do. Uh...WE do…”


‘WHAT?” Four voices came at once, causing the corners of JC’s eyes to wrinkle in a laugh. 


“Oh come on now...Is it THAT shocking?” JC asked.


“YES…” Lance laughed next to him. 


JC shrugged “Well...What can I say...I’m a different man now, boys…”


“This calls for a toast” Chris raised his glass, with the other 4 following suit. “To our eternal bachelor. It had to end sometime. Poor bastard…”


There was a chorus of laughter and slaps on JC’s shoulder as they all clinked glasses and took swigs of their drinks.


Silas stirred on Justin’s lap as they winded down, stretching his arms to the dance floor. “Daddy...DANCE!” he wiggled in time to the music.


“That is DEFINITELY your kid…” Joey beamed at Justin.


Laughing,  Justin lifted his son gently off his lap and let him run to the dance floor, where he immediately found Olivia and started doing a wobbly two-step. 


“Hi!” Olivia chirped as she matched his moves.


Justin grinned. “Olivia...This is Silas.”


“Hi Silas!” she smiled as she moved her arms from side to side. 


Sliding up next to Hannah as she looked on, JC wrapped an arm around her.


“Hey...There’s my husband…” she charmed. 


He kissed the top of her head as he squeezed her side. “Is my wife having fun?”


Hannah nodded. “Yeah...I think they might be having more fun, though…” she giggled as Olivia and Silas bounced around in the middle of a dance circle that had formed around them. 


JC laughed as he recognized the notes of the next song, turning to stare at Justin for his reaction. 


“I got this feeling...inside my bones…”


“Damn it…” Justin chuckled as he watched his own son and Olivia lose their minds. 


“DADDY!” Silas pointed at Justin


“Shhh...Buddy…” Justin laughed. 


Suddenly surrounding him, Chris, Lance, and Joey were pulling out their best dramatic dance moves as the rest of the guests cracked up. 


“Those guys are nuts.” Hannah wrapped both arms around JC, giggling. “I love them…”

 He grinned down at her as he broke her embrace and dragged her over to them, dancing along the way. 


It was a perfect day; a perfect start to a new beginning. Their past faded away as the two of them realized forever had been worth waiting for.


***

Later that night, Hannah and JC relaxed at home, some alone time with Olivia.  Their first official night as a new family. 



Hannah sat cross legged on the floor, dress still on, shoes off, as Olivia sat in her lap. Curls slightly loose, the younger of the two was just about ready for bed. Hannah smirked at the smear of cake across the bottom of her little pink dress and the scuff on one of her shoes in the corner. Two signs of a great party.


JC smiled as he made his way to the piano bench, clearing his throat. “I haven’t always been great at saying how I feel, but this...I can do...One more surprise for my girls…” One deep breath, and he looked down as he started to play a melody and sing…”




From the way you smile to the way you look

You capture me unlike no other

From the first hello, yeah, that's all it took

And suddenly we had each other

And I won't leave you

Always be true

One plus TWO,  THREE for life

Over and over again

So, don't ever think I need more

I've got the one to live for

No one else will do, and I'm telling you

Just put your heart in my hands

Promise it won't get broken

We'll never forget this moment

Yeah, we'll stay brand-new 'cause I'll love you

Over and over again

Over and over again

 

Hannah pulled Olivia close as she smiled, her cheeks warm with silent tears. His eyes were closed, lost in the music. Looking down, Hannah saw Olivia’s eyes twinkling, fascinated. 

 

From the heat of night to the break of day

I'll keep you safe and hold you forever

And the sparks will fly, they will never fade

'Cause every day gets better and better

And I won't leave you

Always be true

One plus one, two for life

Over and over again

So, don't ever think I need more

I've got the one to live for

No one else will do, yeah, I'm telling you

Just put your heart in my hands

I promise it won't get broken

We'll never forget this moment

Yeah, we'll stay brand-new 'cause I'll love you

Over and over again

Over and over again

Girl, when I'm with you I lose track of time

When I'm without you you're stuck on my mind

Be all you need till the day that I die

I'll love you

Over and over again

So, don't ever think I need more

I've got the one to live for

No-one else will do, yeah, I'm telling you

Just put your heart in my hands

Promise it won't get broken

We'll never forget this moment

Yeah, we'll stay brand-new 'cause I love you

Over and over again

 

As he finished the last words, his voice cracked slightly. Taking a moment to re-compose himself, he floated into the end of the song, opening his eyes to play the final notes. Looking over, he saw two sets of watery eyes. 

 

“Jace...” Hannah choked on her words. Letting out a breath, she finished “I love you…”

 

Grinning, he made his way to them, lifting Olivia into his arms as she wrapped her arms around his neck and rested her head on his chest. Hannah took his hand to stand and he wiped her cheeks with his palm. “I love you, too. Both of you. For the rest of my life.”

 

He pulled her into him, kissing her softly. Olivia giggled, turning away, causing them to giggle along with her. 

 

 

 


End Notes:

**The Song JC plays for his girls is "Over and Over Again" by Nathan Sykes and Ariana Grande :) It can be found on the Spotify playlist for this story that I put together....Link Below**

 

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7tVD2i2L737u5eifi5nGgk?fbclid=IwAR01rV5aBcdrV9yS6ljC2FbqJGgwcytOrbIpmWEyCHhLBZ1k8WOG6nM6H4Y

EPILOGUE by IvyVega

 

JC squinted behind his sunglasses as the smoke from the grill found his eyes. Stepping back, he waved it away. He was no grill master, but he was determined to play good host and even better dad. After all, it wasn’t every day the little girl you used to sing to sleep every night graduated high school.

 

Olivia had grown up in what felt like record time and he felt so lucky to have been along for the journey. She was kind, silly, incredibly smart, and as he had suspected all those years ago, a FANTASTIC piano player. The drama of Andy and visitation felt like a whole other lifetime ago, and her three parents had been in a rhythm for over a decade now.

 

“Hey man...thought you could use another one,” Andy got JC’s attention, handing him an open beer.

 

“Oh hey thanks…” he raised the beer in cheers. 

 

Andy shook his head “Do you feel as old as I do?”

 

JC smirked “Kinda...I’m just the handsome stepdad, though…” he joked. 

 

Andy laughed “Yeah ok…”

 

“You’re both old…” Hannah joked as she brought out another bowl of chips.

“Damn, Annie…” JC clutched a hand to his chest, pretending to be hurt. 

 

Olivia walked by all three of them, sitting down at the table to grab some chips. “Justin here yet?” she glanced at her mom, then JC…”

 

“No honey...Not yet…” Hannah studied her “Why?”

 

“Oh just...wondering…” she focused on her chips before she brushed her curled hair behind her ear. 

JC smiled. She was starting to look just like her mother, with the same nervous ticks. 

 

Andy walked over to sit next to her and squeeze her shoulders gently.  “He’ll be here. Livie girl, why are you so grown up? I told you not to do that…”

 

“Daddy...STOP…” she blushed. 

 

Andy chuckled as he rolled his eyes “Yeah yeah yeah...I’m so embarrassing…”

 

“You are…” She laughed “It’s just high school graduation…” she shrugged.

JC smirked “Olivia...We’re proud of you...deal with it…” 

She smirked back as she bit into another chip and smiled softly at him. “Mmmk…”

 

The glass door to the backyard opened and Olivia stood up, smoothing down her dress as Justin  and family walked out, sunglasses on with a gift bag in his hand. “There she is!” he flashed a grin at Olivia before handing her the bag and bringing her in for a hug “Congratulations Olivia…”

“Thank you…” she smiled shyly “Um...Hey Silas…” she looked past him to the 5’11” teenager behind him. 

Sly smiled that matched his father’s, he stared back at Olivia “Hey Liv…”

 

“Oh hiiiiii Silas…” a younger voice ran between Olivia and Silas, tilting his hips to one side and blinking his eyes dramatically. “I’ve been waiting for youuuuu…”

 

“OH MY GOD Lucas...GO AWAY…” Olivia shouted at him, turning bright red.

 

“What?? You aren’t excited to see meeeee? Your own BROTHER, Liv?” he teased.

 

Olivia narrowed her eyes at him, huffing “You know you’re adopted, right…” 

 

“OLIVIA...HEY...Not cool…” JC shook his head as he tried to hide his chuckle. “Luke...Dude...Come on…” he clapped a hand over his son’s shoulder. Leave your sister alone. “

 

Looking up at JC, Lucas shook his head “Girls are really weird…”

 

JC smirked “...You have NO idea, son…”

 

“Dad!” Olivia whined, turning her attention back to Silas.

 

“Um...If you want...We’re all hanging out near the back if you wanna…” she managed.

Silas grinned at her “Yeah...Cool ok…” 

 

“Cool..” she blushed as she turned to head back to her friends, Silas at her heels…”

Hannah giggled as all four adults watched them walk away. “Ohhh here we go…”

 

“What...the fuck...was that…” Andy’s eyes were drilling into Silas. 

JC sighed as his brow wrinkled, and he rubbed one hand nervously on the back of his neck. He turned to Justin, whose eyes had gone slightly wide as his jaw fell open. 

 

Looking toward each other, they spoke at the same time.

 

“FUCK…”

****

THE END

 

 (**STAY TUNED FOR A SEQUEL ;) ** )

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=3019