A Heartbeat Away by TurtlenecksAndTea
Summary:

It's a typical fall day in 2007 when JC makes a life-altering decision to stop at a coffee shop while visiting D.C. and runs into someone special who will change his life forever. Always.

Author's note: This story will span a number of years.


Categories: Completed Het Stories Characters: JC Chasez
Awards: None
Genres: Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 51 Completed: Yes Word count: 73631 Read: 9434 Published: Aug 08, 2021 Updated: Oct 29, 2021

1. Chapter 1 by TurtlenecksAndTea

2. Chapter 2 by TurtlenecksAndTea

3. Chapter 3 by TurtlenecksAndTea

4. Chapter 4 by TurtlenecksAndTea

5. Chapter 5 by TurtlenecksAndTea

6. Chapter 6 by TurtlenecksAndTea

7. Chapter 7 by TurtlenecksAndTea

8. Chapter 8 by TurtlenecksAndTea

9. Chapter 9 by TurtlenecksAndTea

10. Chapter 10 by TurtlenecksAndTea

11. Chapter 11 by TurtlenecksAndTea

12. Chapter 12 by TurtlenecksAndTea

13. Chapter 13 by TurtlenecksAndTea

14. Chapter 14 by TurtlenecksAndTea

15. Chapter 15 by TurtlenecksAndTea

16. Chapter 16 by TurtlenecksAndTea

17. Chapter 17 by TurtlenecksAndTea

18. Chapter 18 by TurtlenecksAndTea

19. Chapter 19 by TurtlenecksAndTea

20. Chapter 20 by TurtlenecksAndTea

21. Chapter 21 by TurtlenecksAndTea

22. Chapter 22 by TurtlenecksAndTea

23. Chapter 23 by TurtlenecksAndTea

24. Chapter 24 by TurtlenecksAndTea

25. Chapter 25 by TurtlenecksAndTea

26. Chapter 26 by TurtlenecksAndTea

27. Chapter 27 by TurtlenecksAndTea

28. Chapter 28 by TurtlenecksAndTea

29. Chapter 29 by TurtlenecksAndTea

30. Chapter 30 by TurtlenecksAndTea

31. Chapter 31 by TurtlenecksAndTea

32. Chapter 32 by TurtlenecksAndTea

33. Chapter 33 by TurtlenecksAndTea

34. Chapter 34 by TurtlenecksAndTea

35. Chapter 35 by TurtlenecksAndTea

36. Chapter 36 by TurtlenecksAndTea

37. Chapter 37 by TurtlenecksAndTea

38. Chapter 38 by TurtlenecksAndTea

39. Chapter 39 by TurtlenecksAndTea

40. Chapter 40 by TurtlenecksAndTea

41. Chapter 41 by TurtlenecksAndTea

42. Chapter 42 by TurtlenecksAndTea

43. Chapter 43 by TurtlenecksAndTea

44. Chapter 44 by TurtlenecksAndTea

45. Chapter 45 by TurtlenecksAndTea

46. Chapter 46 by TurtlenecksAndTea

47. Chapter 47 by TurtlenecksAndTea

48. Chapter 48 by TurtlenecksAndTea

49. Chapter 49 by TurtlenecksAndTea

50. Chapter 50 by TurtlenecksAndTea

51. Chapter 51 by TurtlenecksAndTea

Chapter 1 by TurtlenecksAndTea
Author's Notes:

The collision

JC stood on the platform, hands in his suit pockets waiting for the train to take him to the U.S. Capitol.

Damn it, he thought looking at his watch. It was 7:15 on a Thursday morning, and the crowd at Van Ness Station was getting larger by the second. He had been advised not to leave later than 7, but he had to make sure he looked put together and awake before his 8 a.m. meeting with members of Congress about funding for art and music education.

“Hi, excuse me,” a small voice behind him said. “I’m sorry to bother you, but are you JC Chasez?”

He smiled sweetly and gave a small nod.

“Can I get your autograph?” the stranger asked with a huge grin on her face.

“Sure, sweetie,” he said, taking the pen and paper she held out. She was cute, blonde, about 10 years his junior and dressed like a new congressional intern – pristine white blouse under a black fitted jacket with a black pencil skirt and small black heels. Perfect for an early fall day.

JC signed the sheet of paper and handed it back to the girl as she turned and jabbered to her friend. “Oh my God! Thank you!” was all he managed to catch.

He turned around laughing to himself. It was September 2007, so although he was still recognized, it was not to the level of needing a bodyguard at all times like he did during *NSYNC’s heyday. No matter the circumstances, he made a point to always try to be kind to fans because he knew the moment was special to them. And he understood how privileged he was to be in the position to be recognized like that. It was that recognition that allowed him to meet with members of Congress.

If it were up to him, though, he would rather not be recognized at all. Not that he didn’t appreciate the success he’d had with *NSYNC or as a solo artist, but he liked being able to be himself; to be Josh. He had gotten a taste of the quiet life and liked the freedom it provided. In Washington, D.C., he could easily blend into the crowd in his navy-blue suit, white button down shirt and thin navy tie, looking like any other senior congressional aide on his way to Capitol Hill.

With the train a few moments away, he turned his attention to a piece of paper he pulled from his pocket. He’d written down some notes to review before meeting with, among other members of Congress, Rep. Diane Watson of California about the importance of funding public school art and music programs, a cause he was happy to use his platform to support.


He felt good as he left the two-hour meeting, shaking hands with each of the members. As he left the Capitol, JC looked at his watch. He had time to sit and enjoy DC a little. It had been about a decade since the last time he was in the nation’s capital with time to explore.

A friend had suggested he visit a cool coffee spot near the Capitol if he had time, so he decided to take a short detour to check it out. The walls were painted with bright floor-to-ceiling murals depicting artists, musicians, authors, activists and symbols of D.C. Starbucks it certainly was not. But it was very much D.C. and fit the headspace he was in to be creative. It had a comfortable vibe that lent itself to everybody, whether looking for a nice coffee shop to spend a few hours or a place to meet friends for brunch.

“Hi… Allyson,” he said as he walked up to the counter, pausing for a second to obviously read the barista’s nametag on her black polo shirt. “I was told I had to get a peppermint mocha latte.”

“Good choice,” Allyson said, recognizing the man standing in front of her but staying calm on the outside. “That’s one of our newest additions and one of my favorites.”

“Perfect. I’ll take a grande, medium, regular, whatever you call them here. I hope it lives up to the hype,” he said with a chuckle.

“If it doesn’t, then it’s on the house,” Allyson said turning her flirt on a bit.

“Confident. I like it,” he said, as he handed over a $10 bill, sticking a few bills into the tip jar before taking his change. “So are these books for sale?”

With affirmation from Allyson, JC browsed the shelves in the connected bookstore as he waited for his coffee, finding Sharon Osbourne’s autobiography she’d released a few years earlier. After paying for the book, he found a small table next to a window that allowed for great natural light.

He grinned as he took the first sip of his coffee. It was sweet, but it was good and was living up to the hype. A nice treat after what he felt was a successful morning. He sat with the book, but every now and then, looked up to take a glance at the people walking along the sidewalk. 

A nice thing he noticed about the place was no one seemed to know who he was, and if they did, they didn’t care. It was the perfect “chill” environment he was looking for.

After an hour-and-a-half, he could feel the lunch rush beginning as more tables began filling up around him. Taking that as his cue to go and free up his table, he walked to the counter and ordered a second drink – a lemon tea – to go.

It wasn’t Allyson who took his order, but as he grabbed his drink labeled “Josh,” he heard from behind him, “So I guess it was good.” Allyson had come back from her break just in time to see JC walking toward the door with a paper cup in his hand.

“Met every expectation,” he called back with a wink.

As he slipped out the door, Allyson’s coworker Shannon walked up alongside Allyson ready to open the second register. “Was that?” she asked, her voice trailing off as soon as she began the question.

“JC Chasez?” Allyson said still staring at the door. “Uh-huh.” The moment was starting to sink in, though she still didn’t believe it.

“He was totally vibing with you.”

“Oh please! Yeah right!” Allyson scoffed, giving Shannon a look. She was overcompensating for the fact that she totally felt that same spark, but she couldn’t admit it. Allyson Stewart not only knew who JC was the moment he walked in the door, but she had known that face for decades after first seeing him on MMC.

 “Allie! Did you even try to get his phone number? Based on what I just saw, I guarantee he would’ve given it to you.” Shannon Baker was 27 and had the mindset that she did not need a man; however, that did not stop her from having a little fun and trying to set up Allyson.

“No, I’m a professional,” Allyson said adjusting her imaginary tie.

“Yeah, OK. Didn’t stop you from getting a selfie with Orlando Bloom last year,” Shannon laughed. Shannon and Allyson, who celebrated her 28th birthday in July, had worked together since the coffee shop first opened its doors in 2006 and were two of the few founding employees still at the shop.

“Next time he’s in here, get his number or slip him yours – just do something,” Shannon called out pointing to Allyson as Allyson made her way to the back to get another bag of paper hot coffee sleeves.

“Yeah, OK sure,” Allyson laughed as she disappeared around the corner.

He’s never coming in here again, she thought to herself, kicking herself for missing her opportunity to at least get a picture.

JC didn’t know it, but he was on Shannon’s clock and had five more hours to walk into the store before Allyson finished for the day. She had barely finished the thought when he walked back through the door.

Holy shit, Shannon thought. She did not think she would have to make Allyson follow through on the new pact.

As soon as she saw JC bypass the counter, Shannon power walked to the backroom. “Allyson! Get out here now!”

With a groan, she stood up from the box she was opening. “What is it?”

“Take a look.” Shannon nodded toward where JC was walking to the table on the far side of the restaurant where he had watched the morning transition into afternoon. She pushed Allyson out onto the floor. “Go!”

 Allyson gave Shannon a look and casually walked over to where JC was reaching over to collect the book he had left on the windowsill next to his table.

He did not realize the barista had walked up behind him, and stood up swiftly with the book in hand, sending his shoulder directly into Allyson’s jaw. The perils of being 5’5” compared to JC’s 5’11” frame.

“Oh my God! I’m so sorry!” he said turning around quickly, his hands quickly grabbing onto Allyson’s shoulders to steady her.

“No, no it’s cool,” she said blinking her dark green eyes a few times and rubbing her now throbbing jaw. “I just came over to tell you that I love your music, and you were always my favorite on MMC and, of course, *NSYNC too.”

JC politely nodded. He thought he would get in and out without being noticed, and now not only did he have a run-in with a fan, but he had just literally run into and injured one.

“I’m sorry. I know this is totally unprofessional,” she continued. “My coworker made me swear that I would tell you what you meant to me if you came back in. I’m sorry. OK, bye! Have a nice day!” she said as she awkwardly turned and waved back as she weaved between the tables and chairs rushing back to the storage room where she proceeded to cry and squeal into her hands, excited and embarrassed by the whole situation.

“OK, that was weird,” JC muttered to himself as he stood there confused, shaking his head a little. Truly, it was one of the strangest fan encounters he had had in recent years.

Meanwhile Allyson was desperately trying to calm herself.

“Oh my God! I hate you!” she cried to Shannon as she stood in the doorway.

Risking the wrath of Allyson, Shannon asked, “So did you get his info?”

“No! I completely fangirled over him after he knocked my jaw all out of whack,” she said massaging her jaw again.

Shannon cocked an eyebrow. “He knocked into you?”

Allyson couldn’t help but laugh. “Shut up! I blame you, you know?”

 

“That’s fine,” Shannon said as she just laughed and shrugged. “At least you have a story.” 

End Notes:

I hope you're ready to come on this journey with me. This is my first longer multi-chapter story.

Chapter 2 by TurtlenecksAndTea
Author's Notes:

The plan

JC spent the next couple hours exploring the city before heading back to his friend’s apartment where he was staying through the weekend.

As he strolled through the National Mall, walking alongside the Reflecting Pool to visit the Lincoln Memorial, he kept replaying the incident with Allyson in his head. She was sweet, a little overly excited, but sweet. He couldn’t believe he just hit someone’s jaw with his shoulder. Even through the layers of his undershirt, button-up and suit jacket, he knew it must’ve hurt still.

As he looked around the memorial and read the words etched into the limestone walls, he decided he would go back to the coffee shop the next day and hopefully Allyson would be working, so he could try to make it up to her. If nothing else, help ease his own conscience that he hadn’t caused more serious harm.

He continued to the Smithsonian and took in the sights of D.C., more relaxed now that he had developed his plan.


The following day, JC made sure to get up so he could get to the coffee shop at the same time when he figured Allyson would be working. It was a comfortable day and he did not have any politicians to schmooze, so he let his stubble stay and opted for a simple white Dsquared T-shirt with roses on the chest with dark wash jeans and wine red tennis shoes.

“Excuse me,” he said approaching the person he saw at the counter. “Yesterday, I accidentally ran into one of your employees, pretty hard,” scratching the back of his neck in embarrassment, “and I just wanted to check that she’s OK.”

Shannon looked up amazed at what was happening right now. After the most disastrous encounter, JC was back to check on Allyson. Either Allyson made an excellent first impression on him or he was actually the sweetest person in the world. No matter which, Shannon was not going to let Allyson miss this chance.

“Oh yes, Allyson,” she said the edges of her lips cracking into an involuntary smile.

“Let me guess, you’re the one who made her come over to me yesterday?” he asked with a smirk.

“I might have encouraged her.”

JC looked down at the floor letting out a little laugh. “Well, I just want to make sure she’s OK. My shoulder hurt a little, so I can only imagine how her jaw felt.”

With a flash of a toothy grin, Shannon slipped to the back to get Allyson who was finishing up her break. “Uh, Allyson, there’s someone out front here to see you.”

“What? Who?”

“Take a look.” Shannon nodded her head toward the counter.

Allyson’s heart sank into her stomach and her stomach leapt into her throat as she saw JC checking his phone as he stood by the counter.

“What the hell is he doing here?” she nearly screamed grabbing Shannon’s arm as her eyes widened. “And why does he look so good?”

“He’s here to check on you to make sure you’re OK.”

Allyson gave Shannon a side glance. “Quit making fun of me.”

“I’m not kidding. That’s what he told me.” Shannon was giddy.

“I can’t go out there. Not after the fool I made of myself.”

“You can and you will,” Shannon said giving her a slight push before her tone became more sincere. “There’s got to be a bit of fate going on here, and he won’t wait forever.”

 Allyson took a deep breath and calmly walked out to where JC was standing. Her chin was still a little swollen, but the redness was gone.

“Hey!” JC said a smile brightening his face as he looked up. “Listen, I’m sorry about running into you yesterday. I just wanted to apologize again and make sure I didn’t hurt you too badly.”

“It’s fine. It was an accident, and the doctor said the broken bone will set on its own.”

She saw a flash of panic in JC’s eyes and let him sweat for a couple seconds before a laugh betrayed her exaggeration. “I’m joking! It’s all good.”

JC’s face instantly eased. “Well, let me make it up to you, please. It’ll make me feel better. And you’ll just get to have a free dinner at the place of your choosing.” It came out as both a statement and a question, and JC was not entirely sure which he intended it to be.

Allyson looked at him skeptically. He seemed sincere, but this was just bizarre.

“OK,” she answered hesitantly after a couple moments studying JC’s face. Geez his eyes are blue, she thought. “I get off at 6 today.”

“Does 7:30 give you enough time to get ready?” he asked.

“Should, yeah. And there’s a cool Irish pub near Union Station that’s chill.”

“You got it. I’ll meet you here at 7:30.”

Allyson flashed a smile and nodded. “OK.”

JC was turning to head out the door again and Allyson was still a little dumbfounded, unable to really process what was happening.

“Wait!” she called out before he reached the door. She cocked an eyebrow, “How do I know you won’t stand me up or kidnap me?”

“Here,” he said writing down his number on a scrap piece of receipt paper. “I’m trusting you with this. If I’m not here by 7:45, call me.” After a couple breaths, he added, “And I promise I won’t kidnap you.”

 

She smiled back and nodded. This was a scenario she had played in her head over and over again, dreaming of running into JC when she and her family would travel to Orlando for family trips to Disney World and Universal Studios.

 

Chapter 3 by TurtlenecksAndTea
Author's Notes:

The start of something special

Allyson walked up to her coffee shop at 7:30 exactly. She had gone home quickly to change into a green empire waist satin top that brought out her eyes and complemented her dark brown hair. She paired the top with a pair of dark wash skinny jeans and tan booties.

 

JC was just a few moments behind her, swapping his short-sleeved shirt for a striped sweater over a white button-up and a leather jacket over both. If Allyson didn’t know who he was, he could have easily passed for a GWU poli-sci professor. 

 

“Aren’t you cold?” he asked, noticing the butterfly sleeves on Allyson’s top.

 

“No I’m fine. I just need a little whiskey in me,” she said, shivering slightly. To be fair, Allyson underestimated the cool evening breeze, but she did not want to look unprepared.

 

“Whiskey, huh? Well until we get there, take my jacket,” peeling the jacket off and draping it over Allyson’s shoulders.

 

She may have seemed cool on the outside, but her heart and stomach were doing somersaults as she pulled the jacket around her.

 

“Alright, lead the way,” JC said, extending his arm in a grand gesture. “I’m trusting you.”

 

The power he gave Allyson in that moment. It didn’t cross her mind at the time, but she could have just led him to her apartment, and he wouldn’t have had a clue until they got there. She never would do that, but she could have. She was spunky, but her boldness had its limits.

 

Making small talk during the short half-mile walk, Allyson began telling her story.

 

“I decided last year to go back to school for my MBA, but I need money to do that. I used to work in advertising, and the pay is great, but the schedule just doesn’t lend itself to going back to school, even as a part-time student, so here I am.”

 

“Good for you for going back to school.”

 

“Yeah, it’s one of those things that I always considered but never wanted to make the jump. Then, one day, I just got so frustrated with a client that it became painfully obvious that I needed to do it, now or never.”

 

He was listening intently, looking over at her, nodding along with her story.

 

“Speaking of things that are obvious,” she added, “when are we getting new music? ‘Until Yesterday’ is so good! I want more.”

 

He let out a shallow laugh and looked down at the ground. It was almost a defeated look. “Well, thanks. I’m working on it,” he said eventually.

 

She sensed the discomfort he had answering the question and quickly changed topics asking why he was in D.C., hoping it led to an easier conversation.

 

“Well, yeah, I’m usually in L.A. most of the time now, but I was visiting with some representatives yesterday about funding for arts and music in schools. And since it’s been so long since I’ve been back home, I wanted to give myself some time to explore.”

 

As he finished explaining about the meeting, they arrived at the pub’s green awning.

 

Inside, the restaurant was rich with natural wood paneling on the walls, sturdy dark wooden tables and stools with green-accented tops. It really had an authentic Irish pub feel, and there was a buzz inside. As they sat down at their table and ordered a couple drinks, the live musician for the evening walked back up onto the corner stage, picking up his guitar from the stand and tuning it before launching into a rendition of “Take Me Home Country Roads” and some more Irish folk songs everyone seemed to know, including Allyson.

 

JC looked at her amazed as she hummed along and sang along to some parts of the songs. “If you come here often enough, you get to know the songs,” she smiled across the table.

 

As they sipped their drinks and polished off their plates, the conversation meandered through various topics and stories from music and movies to MMC and growing up in Maryland – and Orlando – versus North Carolina.

 

“This is a rad place,” JC said, taking it all in.

 

“It’s one of my favorite spots to come after work. It’s been here for years, but there isn’t ever a huge crowd really. It’s just a nice chill spot.”

 

The conversation continued until suddenly it was two hours later, and they were some of the last people in the restaurant as it neared closing time.

 

Allyson’s phone buzzed as JC settled the bill. “Oh shit! This is my roommate, and I forgot to tell her I was going out. She probably thinks I’m dead in a ditch somewhere.”

 

JC looked at his watch. It did not feel like two hours had passed. The conversation flowed so easily. It almost felt like catching up with an old friend. “Uh oh. Come on, I’ll escort you home.”

 

“No, I couldn’t ask you to do that. You’ve already made up for yesterday. And my stop is Tenleytown. I’m sure it’s out of your way.”

 

“Actually, mine would be Van Ness.”

 

“Oh,” Allyson said, unable to come up with another excuse. To be honest, she was appreciative of the gesture because even though she was confident getting around D.C., she knew it was dangerous for women to be walking around alone at that hour. “OK. If you’re sure.”

 

“Positive,” he said with a smile and a head tilt. “Let’s go.”

 

After ensuring that JC had a Metro card, they set out toward Union Station to begin their journey.

 

“So how long have you lived in D.C.?” JC asked as they found two seats together in the Metro car.

 

“Well, I grew up in the Carolinas and moved here for college. I always thought I’d move back home, but I fell in love with D.C. Altogether, I guess I’ve been here for 11 years now.”

 

He nodded, impressed.

 

“You’re from Maryland, aren’t you?”

 

“Yeah, Bowie. It’s really not that far. My buddy whose place I’m staying at is a childhood friend. He teaches at Georgetown but is gone this week for a seminar.”

 

“That’s great you’re still close to friends from home.”

 

“Yeah they’ve kept me grounded through everything. And speaking of friends. Why would your roommate be concerned about you going out on a Thursday? Isn’t Thursday night the unofficial start to the weekend?”

 

Allyson laughed and looked at her feet. “Well, I never go out. She knows I haven’t had a date in, like, six months.” For a second, Allyson did not realize what she had just admitted, but quickly put her head into her hands. “Oh my God! Please forget I just said that.”

 

“Don’t be embarrassed about that,” he reassured her. “I mean, listen, you want to talk about dry spells…”

 

“Oh please!” she interrupted him. “You? A dry spell?”

 

“Yes,” he said defensively, but with a joking tone.

 

A good chunk of the rest of the ride was spent one-upping each other on their dating lives.

 

“I’m done with dating celebrities,” he said. “Friends, fine, but not dating. I thought it would be easier because they get it, but it’s even harder. You’re ‘on’ the whole time.”

 

“I guess I never would have thought about that,” she said. “It looks so glamorous and fun from the outside.”

 

“Oh it is fun, and it has its perks, which I took full advantage of when I was younger, but now that I’m in my 30s, I’m done with that shit.”

 

Allyson nodded as the train PA system announced the Woodley Park stop,

 

“Three more stops,” Allyson said, “but two for you.”

 

“No,” he said sternly. “I said I would escort you home, and I will.”

 

She smiled. A few minutes later, and the call for Tenleytown rang out in the car as JC and Allyson made their way to the doors.

 

“Thank you for the company,” she said curtseying to JC, figuring he would jump onto the train heading in the opposite direction to go back to his stop.

 

“My job isn’t done.”

 

After a debate that barely lasted 20 seconds, they both walked out of the station.

 

“You don’t sound like you trust me very much,” JC said as they reached the surface level again.

 

“No, it’s not that,” Allyson said. “I’m just awkward and don’t know how to accept people doing nice things for me without some sort of motive.”

 

“No motive,” he said reassuringly. “I’ve just seen enough of the world. Plus, my momma would be disappointed if I didn’t walk a woman home.”

 

Allyson chuckled a bit. “Good woman, your mom.”

 

JC smiled as he placed a hand very gently on the small of Allyson’s back, pushing her ahead of him slightly.

 

“It’s just a few blocks,” she said.

 

“Wow, you really are close,” he said, referencing a conversation topic from dinner about feeling the trains running under her apartment.

 

Within a few minutes, the pair were standing outside Allyson’s quaint townhome.

 

“Well, mission accomplished.” In that moment, she realized she had watched too many rom-coms because she should not have been expecting a kiss like she was. “Thank you, seriously. I had a really nice time. Feel free to bump into my chin any time you want.”

 

They laughed together as JC rubbed the back of his neck, still embarrassed about yesterday. “Thank you for letting me buy you dinner and walk you home,” dipping into an exaggerated bow. “Happy to be of service.”

 

“One more awkward thing,” Allyson asked hesitantly. “Can I give you a hug before you leave?” She’d waited more than a decade to know what a hug from JC Chasez felt like. She’d come this far; she was not missing this chance.

 

“Sure,” he said with a smile, opening his arms to her.

 

Allyson’s average build slid perfectly into his arms as her head ended up resting on his chest. His arms closed around her, and she could feel his warmth. It felt so comfortable, just like their conversation. It didn’t make sense that they had only met 36 hours ago. She obviously knew plenty about JC from the fan magazines that it was as if she knew him, but this felt deeper than that.

 

The hug was a long hug – about 30 seconds – but not long enough for Allyson.

 

What Allyson didn’t realize was JC felt like he had met someone special in her too.

 

They smiled at each other as they loosened their embrace. He watched Allyson walk up the stairs and into the secure door. He then headed back to the Metro station.

 

About halfway on his walk from Van Ness Station to his friend’s apartment, he felt a chill and realized Allyson still had his jacket. “That’s what I get for being a nice guy,” he muttered to himself. “I lose my good leather jacket.”

 

 

 

If he was being honest with himself, though, he was not too worried about a lost jacket because the night was one of the most fun he had had in recent months. No clubs, no bars, no photos, no loud music, just a relaxed night with a cool girl, who felt like a friend already.

 

 

End Notes:

Will JC get his jacket back? Is Allyson really someone special? I guess you'll have to stay tuned :)

Chapter 4 by TurtlenecksAndTea

The next morning as JC was organizing his clothes to fit in his suitcase again, his phone buzzed on the nightstand.

“Hello?” he answered, not recognizing the number.

“Hi. Um, this is Allyson. The girl whose jaw you broke,” she said with a timid laugh.

“Ah yes. What’s going on? How are ya?”

“Good, good. Thank you, again, for last night and for walking me home.”

“Absolutely,” he said, “It would’ve eaten me up if I didn’t ensure you made it home safely.”

“Well, thank you,” she smiled to herself. “I hope you don’t mind me calling you like this, but I realized after you left that I still had your jacket.”

“Yes you do,” he teased.

“I’m so sorry! I can bring it to you or if you want to meet somewhere.”

“I’m actually packing up to catch a flight later tonight. Would you mind bringing it by?”

“Not at all. Just tell me where I’m going.” JC rattled off the address as they agreed Allyson would bring the jacket by at noon before her shift began at 4.


“Whose life is this?” Allyson asked her roommate, Mandy, her eyes wide in a daze as she hung up the phone. “I just called JC Chasez and am going over to his house – or at least where he’s staying – in a couple hours.”

“So I heard,” Mandy smiled back, excited for her friend but indifferent about the happenings. Mandy was artsy and kept her playlist to independent jazzy and bluesy singer-songwriters.


“What to wear. What to wear,” Allyson whispered to herself. She wanted to look cute but didn’t want to look like she was trying to look cute. There was a difference. She thumbed through her closet pulling out a pair of plain blue jeans and a lightweight cream and tan striped sweater perfect for the cool fall day. It was a sweater, so it was warm enough, but it wasn’t so thick that she would sweat and instantly regret her clothing choices by the time she made it to the Metro station.

She looked in the mirror at her front and her back. Everything was good. Her stubborn hair was cooperating and calm; her makeup ready for work.

Confident in her look for the day, she draped JC’s jacket over her arm and headed out to the address JC had given her. It wasn’t far, maybe 15 minutes. As she approached the building, she could feel her heart start to race. She stood at the intercom box for a few seconds before ringing the bell to the apartment.

“Hello? Allyson?” JC’s voice asked.

“Yeah.”

“Come on up,” he said, “Go up the stairs, and I’m the first door on the left.”

She entered the doors and walked past the mail room to the flight of stairs. A few steps away from the top landing was the apartment, number 22.

“Hey,” he said, answering the door within seconds of her knock. “Here, come on in.” He opened the door wider for her to walk into the bright space. Large windows let in plenty of natural light with the blackout curtains pulled back to leave just sheer cream curtains. “Thank you for bringing the jacket by. Sorry, it’s a bit of a mess. I ended up in a writing session last night and left the packing for today.”

As Allyson was still looking around admiring the apartment, she looked back at the pile of clothes he was apologizing for that had migrated from the bedroom to the living room. “I figured you’d be an expert packer,” she said.

“I used to be, but I think I’ve lost my touch. I’m a little out of practice. I haven’t had to travel too much for more than a day and a half in a while.”

JC’s phone buzzed and Allyson giggled as she heard the default ringtone play. She wondered if he just liked the tone or if he just couldn’t be bothered to change it.

Allyson heard a murmur on the other end as JC threw his head back exasperated. “OK, well send me the new information, then. No, it’s fine. Tomorrow still gets me in on time.”

JC groaned as he hung up the phone. “Damn it. Oh, shit, sorry. Ugh, sorry, again,” he said as he turned back to Allyson, forgetting for a second he had company.

“That didn’t sound great.”

JC sat down on the couch and rubbed his forehead, frustrated. “Well, I was supposed to fly out to Florida to meet up with some friends for a birthday party, but my manager insisted on booking the flights and booked the wrong day. Instead of today, he scheduled it for tomorrow. Sorry, I guess you didn’t have to make a special trip.”

“No, it’s fine. I wasn’t doing anything before work anyway. But are you going to make your friend’s birthday in time?” Allyson asked, genuinely concerned.

“Oh yeah, I’ll have plenty of time still. I’m getting there a few days early, so I just won’t be there as early as I’d have liked. Well, good news is I don’t have to frantically pack. Your shift starts at 4?”

“Yep, so I’ve got a few more hours to kill,” she said absentmindedly.

“Well, I guess I’m in the same boat now too. You’re welcome to chill here if you want.”

“No, no. I came, I delivered the jacket, I’m gone,” she said. “I can’t take up any more of your time.”

“You really don’t need to rush off. I’m inviting you to stay if you want. I wouldn’t do that if I didn’t mean it. I had a really nice time last night. It felt like catching up with a longtime friend instead of chatting with someone I’d only met a few hours earlier. Seriously, you’re welcome to stay.”

Allyson was caught a bit off guard as she made her way over to an oversized reading chair he’d motioned to. “You felt that way too? I thought I was just going crazy and letting my fan brain take over.”

“Fan brain?” he asked.

Allyson could feel her face getting redder by the second. “You know, just from watching all of y’all’s appearances and reading all the articles, it kinda feels like we know you. I didn’t know if I was making myself think I knew you even though we’d only actually just met.”

He nodded his head. “Oh yes, all those magazines. But, no, you’re not crazy. I felt like I’d known you for years, even though I didn’t know anything about you before dinner.”

“Maybe we met in a past life or something,” Allyson smiled.

JC let out a soft laugh as he leaned back on the sofa. “Maybe. Well, do you want to watch something?”

“Sure. I’ll watch just about anything that’s not gruesome or scary.”

“Ok, so crossing Final Destination 3 and Halloween off the list.”

“Oh, God, yes please!”

“How about this?” he asked, flipping the channel to HGTV.

“Really?” Allyson asked, the surprise evident in her voice. “I would not have pegged you for a home improvement kind of guy.”

“Oh yeah. I love this stuff! I’d probably have been an architect or an engineer if I hadn’t gone to that Disney audition and ended up on a path in music,” he said, still looking at the screen. “Well, or a farmer,” he said after a pregnant pause. “Definitely making, creating or growing things.”

“You’re just full of surprises.”

“I bet that wasn’t in any of those magazines,” he said with a smirk as he glanced over at Allyson.

She laughed. “No it was not. I do know that you like sushi and Chinese food, that you think the sexiest thing about a girl is a good heart and that you’re scared of needles.”

He let out a deep chest laugh as he dropped his head down and shook it. “Wow! All true, but wow!”

“Hey, I never said I was proud of what my fan brain knew about y’all,” she laughed back.

After watching a couple design shows, JC got off the couch. “I’m going to make some hot tea. You want?”

“Sure.” It was almost 2 and she would have to get ready for work soon. She wished she could call in sick, and just stay.

They sipped on cups of Earl Gray tea, talking books, movies and TV – all the stuff the teen magazines didn’t cover – as the home improvement shows continued in the background.

As Allyson went to put her mug in the sink, she knew she had to make her move soon or else she’d never leave by 3:30. “Thank you, again,” she said as she returned to the living room.

“Oh, yeah,” he said looking at his watch, “you said your shift starts at 4 doesn’t it?”

Allyson nodded, still impressed that he remembered the time she’d told him earlier in the morning. “I wish I didn’t have to leave, though. This has been so nice just hanging out. My younger self never would believe me if I told her about this.”

He laughed. “And I’ve really enjoyed having you here. It’s nice just to talk to someone without expectation or having to be ‘on.’ But, hey, you’ve got my number. Don’t give it to anyone else, but please call or text. And, who knows, I may be back in D.C. at some point.”

“OK! I won’t abuse this I promise. I just hope you don’t regret giving me that invitation to call you.”

“I doubt it.”

Allyson did not know how exactly to react, but she smiled and repeated her goodbye, accepting the hug he offered as she floated back to her apartment to change clothes.


“Oh my God!” she gushed to Shannon within five minutes of arriving at work. “He was so sweet! We were there for hours and then he rode back with me and walked me home.”

“And then you took him upstairs and asked him to demonstrate how God spent a little more time on him and how he can freak you better than Jordan ever could?” Shannon interrupted with a raised eyebrow.

“No!” Allyson said, giving Shannon a friendly push. “No. He let me get a hug and he went home as I went inside.”

“Oh come on, Allyson!” Shannon groaned. “You go on a goddam date with JC Chasez and all you have to show for it is a hug?”

“Yes, and it was the best hug I’ve ever had,” Allyson said, crossing her arms dramatically. “It must’ve lasted at least 30 seconds. It just felt so nice and comfortable. She relaxed again, just thinking about being enveloped in his arms. It was better than any hug I got from Jordan.”

“Soooo when is the second date?”

“Hi, come down to Earth, please.” Allyson teased trying to hide her smile, but not before Shannon decoded her secret.

“Wait!” Shannon said. “You already did hang out with him again, didn’t you?

“Maybeee,” Allyson said, her voice trailing off.

“Spill, woman!”

Allyson recounted the jacket mission she went on and the lazy afternoon she’d had before coming to work as Shannon sat enthralled by the story, hanging onto every word, amazed at what she was hearing her friend say.

“What the hell, Allyson? Why the F are you here right now? You could’ve called out. I could’ve covered for you or gotten Kristina to come in. She should anyway for the amount of times you’ve covered her ass.”

“I thought about it, but I also really wanted to see your face when I told you everything.”

“Well, you’ve seen it. Now, oh, look at that,” Shannon said, placing the back of her hand against Allyson’s forehead, “you’re feeling warm. I really think you should go home and get some rest.”

Allyson couldn’t help but laugh. For all the crap Shannon put her through, the girl was one of the most supportive friends she had. The pair had started at the coffee shop the same week and quickly latched onto each other during their training, forming an instant friendship.

 

“Go! Go!” Shannon said, pushing Allyson toward the door. “I’m calling Kristina. Let her earn her paycheck for once.”


Chapter 5 by TurtlenecksAndTea

JC was seated on the small balcony with the autobiography he’d picked up at the coffee shop, enjoying the crisp fall air. For being in the middle of the D.C. “bubble,” the spot was fairly quiet.

His phone alerted him to a new text message.

Opening up the phone, he saw a message from Allyson. I didn’t have to work after all.

JC smiled at the message. He was surprised that she actually wanted to keep talking to him.

Welcome to the no plans club, he typed back. I have more hot water if you’re interested in another cup.

Allyson did not even attempt to hide her excitement as she read the message on her way to the Metro station. Another cup sounds great, she sent back. Once she arrived on the platform, she stomped her feet, unable to fully contain her excitement anymore. She was going back to JC’s without any need to leave by a certain time. The butterflies were going crazy in her stomach now.

A repeat of a few hours earlier, JC let Allyson in as she buzzed the apartment and she settled into the same reading chair once inside.

“So why D.C.?” he asked, handing her a cup of tea as he sat down on the couch near her chair. “I know you said you moved here for school, but why D.C.?”

“American University had a great program and internship opportunities. Plus, they offered me a pretty nice scholarship,” she said before taking a sip of her tea.

He nodded. “Makes sense.”

“Did you ever consider school?” she asked, a bit more pointedly than she intended.

“I mean, sure. I graduated high school before anything happened with *NSYNC. I saw a lot of my friends from Florida and Maryland going off to college, and I considered it. But I couldn’t not explore writing. Those last few years on the show, I really started to fall in love with the craft of songwriting. I went out to LA for a bit with Tony and then worked with Justin and Robin a little in Nashville. Then, *NSYNC happened, and here we are.”

Now it was Allyson’s turn to nod. “Do you ever regret any of it?”

“Not at all. Not. At. All. I had some amazing experiences with my best friends, wrote some songs I’m really proud of and learned more about myself in the process.”

She smiled. That was the honest, thoughtful answer she’d hoped to hear. And the fact he didn’t hesitate made her believe it was the truth and not a stock answer he’d crafted over the years.

After talking a little more, they turned their attention back to HGTV where they proceeded to comment on every decision the homeowners and designers made.

“You’d make a great contractor,” Allyson said, turning to look at him on the couch after he argued with the TV about one of the decisions to take out a wall dividing the living room and the kitchen.

“Well, thank you,” he said, accepting the compliment with a smile.

Soon, two more hours had passed and the clock on the wall indicated it was 7 p.m.

JC looked at his wrist to ensure the accuracy. “How is it 7 already? We went from tea time to dinner time. You’re welcome to stay for dinner if you want. I was going to try to make some baked pasta recipe a friend sent me.”

“No, I don’t want to be a burden.” She started to gather her things together.

“Believe me, you won’t be. I appreciate the company. It’s a nice change.”

Allyson just smiled, getting out her phone to text Mandy quickly that she was on her own for dinner. “So how are you in the kitchen?” she teased as she hit send. “Should I plan to have pizza on standby?”

“I aim for edible.”

She busted out laughing. “Oh great! I’ll find the number to that new pizza place that just opened around here.”

“Just give me a chance,” he pleaded through a laugh.

She grinned as she settled back down into her chair. “OK, but let me know if I can help. I’m pretty useless in a kitchen, but I can take direction.”

Without looking up from the refrigerator, he just said, “Monitor what granite they choose. I like the one with flecks of brown.”

He heard her laugh from the living room. “I do too. It gives it some extra definition.”

He looked up peering through the cutout between the kitchen and living room. “Exactly!” 

After 30 minutes of HGTV play-by-play, Allyson smelled a not-so-pleasant aroma coming from the kitchen. “Uh, everything OK in there?”

JC came around the corner looking like a guilty schoolboy. “Pepperoni or cheese?” he asked with a half-smile as Allyson couldn’t help but laugh.

“Pepperoni is fine.”


JC placed the cordless phone back on its docking station and flopped down on the couch with a sigh. “OK, so I fail at cooking.”

“What did you even do?” Allyson bravely asked.

“Well,” he started before trailing off, “I threw out the directions and looked up a similar recipe and went based on that, and and well, I burned it. Bad”

Allyson tried her best not to laugh, but as soon as she looked over at him and their eyes met, she couldn’t keep it in anymore and she burst into laughter, quickly followed by JC, who also was stifling a laugh at his confession.

“I think I’ll stick with home design.”

“And I’ll stick with coffee and pastries.” She gave him a reassuring smile to let him know she was only teasing.

Ten minutes later the intercom buzzed and a few seconds later their pizza was at the door. “Thanks, man. Keep the change. Yeah, have a good one, man.”

She smiled hearing how nice he was, even when he wasn’t “on.” Yeah, I picked a good one to be a fan of, she thought. “You know he’s going to get back to the store and brag that he just delivered pizza to JC Chasez.”

“OK, fan brain!” he laughed. “But just as long as he can’t follow it up with, ‘And he was an asshole,’ that’s fine.” His tone becoming more serious than Allyson expected.

He set the pizza down on the kitchen table as he grabbed a couple plates from the cupboard.

“Table or TV trays?”

Allyson shrugged, leaving the decision up to him.

“I have to know what they choose. Let’s go with TV trays.”

With the pizza on the tray table, Allyson was struggling to find the proper dining position in the oversized reading chair. To be close enough to the table, she needed to sit on the edge of the chair but then she looked tense, which made her stress about how she looked.

JC could sense her struggle. “You know you can sit on the couch. It might be a little more comfortable.”

She hadn’t wanted to press her luck or make it seem like she was trying to get too close to him. They had had a fun night and day, but this was still music superstar JC Chasez and she was still Allyson Stewart, barista.

Still playing it safe, she moved to the opposite edge of the couch with her tray table.


They downed slice after slice as they continued to celebrate and criticize the homeowners’ decisions.

It was close to 9 p.m. by now, and JC switched the channel to the local news station.

“Coming up at 9: A shelter in place has been ordered for the Tenleytown area as police search for a potentially armed suspect who fled police after an attempted traffic stop.”

“Oh shit!” Allyson said to the TV as she pulled her phone out to call Mandy.

“What’s going on?” she quickly asked.

“I’m not sure exactly,” Mandy responded. “Police just used their car PA systems to tell people to stay inside and lock their doors. It was only about 10 minutes ago all this happened.”

“Are you OK?” Allyson asked her roommate.

“Yeah, I’m good, but you might want to hang out a bit before you come home or maybe stay the night at Shannon’s.”

Suddenly it dawned on her that she hadn’t told Mandy she wasn’t at work. “Well,” she dragged out glancing over at the person on the other end of the couch. “I’m actually at JC’s right now. I didn’t end up having to work.”

“Oh really now?” Mandy said in a sing-song tone.

JC smiled back as he heard half of the conversation and muffled tones from the other side. He was impressed with how calm she was in the situation.

“OK keep me posted.”

“Well this is awesome,” she said leaning back into the couch. “This is all happening outside my townhome. Mandy said police rolled through the streets about 10 minutes ago telling people to stay inside and lock their doors. I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have stayed for dinner. I could’ve been out of your hair. Now, I don’t know if I can go home.”

She glanced at JC who looked genuinely concerned.

“No, are you kidding? I’m glad you did. You might have been in the middle of all that. You can spend the night here if you want. I’d much prefer that than worried about you making it home with a gunman on the loose.”

She smiled at the thought of JC worrying about her. There was such a sense of calm with him. 

“I know my buddy’s got extra everything in here,” he said, as he walked into the bedroom. Walking back into the living room, he announced, “Yeah, they’re in the cabinet. And I’ll take the couch.”

“You’ll what?” Allyson said, snapping out of the daze she was in. “No, no, I’ll take the couch. Please.”

“I won’t let you.”

 

She just shook her head. She knew she wasn’t winning the argument.

 

End Notes:

Who's ready for a sleepover?

Chapter 6 by TurtlenecksAndTea

In the time Allyson had brushed her teeth and traded her contacts for glasses, JC had made the couch into a makeshift bed and was laying across the sheets.

She gave him a look as her spot was now taken over by his feet that were safely wrapped in bright red socks featuring a cartoon smiling face on them. “I told you, I will not have my guest who is unable to safely get back to her home sleep on the couch. If anyone deserves a real bed, it’s you.”

Allyson let out a sigh, and JC smiled knowing she wasn’t going to fight him.

“Wait, did you have your glasses?” JC asked, a knot developing in the pit of his stomach. All of his worst fears began running circles in his brain: Was this her intention? Was he being played? Was he getting trapped in this woman’s web? Was this just so she could title a chapter in her memoir “The night I spent with JC from *NSYNC”?

Allyson noticed JC’s clenched jaw and got worried. She felt like she knew this man and she felt comfortable, but it hit her suddenly that she knew next to nothing about him truly. In reality, they had only known each other for a couple days.

“What is it?” she asked before answering his question to her.

“What? Nothing,” he stammered. “Are those yours or were they here?”

“They’re mine,” she answered hesitantly, not knowing what the right answer was or what his reaction would be. Before he could say anything, she continued, “I keep an extra old pair in my purse, ever since I lost a contact on my way to class and had to sit in an hour lecture blind in one eye.”

“Oh, OK,” JC said, relieved but not relaxed anymore.

“Why? I can call Shannon to come pick me up and take me to her place if you want. She’s just on the other side of the Potomac.”

“No, no, no,” JC said, his eyes that had taken on a darker blue hue than usual refocusing on Allyson still standing across the room from him. “No, I just,” he started but his words trailed off. “It’s nothing.”

“It’s obviously not nothing,” she said as she walked closer to the couch. “What is it? I won’t be offended. Do you want me to delete your number?”

“No, but can I be honest?” he asked, sitting up cross legged on the couch, his back against the arm rest. Allyson instantly regretted committing to not being offended. “I mean, we’re getting to know each other right.”

“Yeah.” Allyson sat at the other end of the couch where his feet had been, giving him a small reassuring smile.

The edges of his lips curled in to a half smile as he thought about how he wanted to phrase what he was about to say. “Well, being a known celebrity, public figure, whatever you want to call me, comes with its share of concerns. I have had women burn me before. They act like they want to develop a relationship with me, but they only ever want to get a story or get into bed with me so they can have their 15 minutes of fame when their book comes out or when they go to a tabloid.”

Pain weighed down his eyes and his face as his entire body shrunk as he spoke, showing the literal weight this was on him.

“Oh my God!” Allyson said, realizing what he must have been thinking as she walked out with glasses on, fully prepared for a sleepover. “No, I would never do anything like that! I never planned on staying the night, much less trying to get into bed with you. I mean, not that I wouldn’t. I mean, you’re JC Chasez – who wouldn’t?!” She could feel her face getting as red as his socks. She took a couple deep breaths to keep from spiraling into a bigger fluster. “No, that was not my intention and never was.”

JC grinned at her. It was reassuring to hear such a quick response, not an excuse.

“I would never think to take advantage of a situation like this,” Allyson continued. “Yes, I wanted you to be my boyfriend growing up, but then I just wanted to be your friend. This friendship I like to think is developing between us is a 15-year dream. Why would I ever jeopardize the possibility of it coming true?”

“Thank you.” The sincerity showed in his eyes that were returning to their natural cooler blue. “It’s not often I trust as quickly as I have with you. I’m glad to know, maybe, I can still judge people’s character.”

The tension in the apartment began to clear a little as they shared a smile before turning their attention back to the news. A silence fell, but it was not an awkward silence.

As the anchors bantered to fill the last few seconds of the broadcast, JC and Allyson figured out their respective schedules to make sure they could both be where they needed to be.

JC had a 2:30 flight out of Reagan International Airport, and Allyson’s shift began at 1, so they planned to be up by 9:30 and on their way by 11.

Once Allyson reluctantly retired to the bedroom – JC was adamant she have the bed – JC slipped out of his shirt and pulled the blanket over the Washington Redskins athletic shorts he had on. It took about five minutes before he found the perfect position on the plush couch and gave in to sleep. Years of sleeping on tour buses and planes made him an expert at sleeping just about anywhere.

While JC was getting cozy under his blanket, Allyson was standing in the corner of the room staring at the bed. The only thing she could think was she was about to sleep in the same bed JC had been sleeping in the past few nights.

“It’s fine. It’s cool. No big deal,” she quickly whispered to herself. “Just JC Chasez’s bed.” Without a change of clothes, she slept with her clothes on, just taking off her bra, belt, socks and shoes. One of her fears was being naked and having to rush out of bed because of a fire, so she never slept without something on. As she crawled into the king-sized bed, she laid there wondering if JC was a left-side-of-the-bed or a right-side-of-the-bed sleeper.

The next morning, Allyson woke up to the morning sun shining through the small rectangular curtainless windows near the ceiling, above the main windows. She laid in bed until about 9:15. Then, made her way into the shared space, but not before making her morning hair and appearance a little more presentable than it usually was.

As she entered the living room, she saw JC still sound asleep on the couch. She couldn’t help but admire the man. The blanket had moved to where it now only covered the lower half of his body, leaving his toned arms, chest and abs on full display. It was a sight she never expected to see in her life, and one she was not going to let her eyes miss. This is an image she knew would be filed away in her mind forever.

The surprise peek made her exhale a little louder than she expected, moving her hands up to her mouth to muffle the sound. When she knew the sound hadn’t woken him up, she stared for a few more moments before moving into the kitchen. She figured the least she could do to repay JC’s hospitality was to make coffee.

It was a few minutes before the warm, familiar smell of hazelnut coffee wafted in the air. She could hear JC stir, but harnessed all of her will power to resist the urge to look.

JC could hear the coffee percolating as he slowly opened his eyes. He let out a long morning groan as he stretched and sat up on the couch. Multiple joints popped and cracked in the most satisfying way as he clasped his hands together and reached them over his head. 

Allyson had positioned herself near the cutout between the kitchen and living room, so she could see him but he couldn’t see her watching. She stood there, mouth wide open with only one word going through her head: Damn! She saw more of his muscles engage as he pulled his arms over his head and behind his back. 

Then, something she was not prepared for. JC, still not knowing she was watching from the kitchen, checked that the living room was clear and lifted the blanket to take a quick check. He smirked, not ashamed by any means, and adjusted himself. Reaching for his semi-frameless glasses on the table, he stood up. Allyson quickly turned around, knowing her face was as red as the socks still on JC’s feet. She took a few deep breaths and tried to will her face to go back to its natural pale color. After their conversation, the last thing she wanted to do was let him know she had been staring.

“Something smells good,” he said as he strolled into the kitchen, still naked from the waist up.

“I can do coffee,” she said, her back turned to him, finishing pouring creamer into the cup. They had discussed their normal coffee drinks, so she tried to make it as close to what he described. She turned around and immediately blushed as she saw him standing there shirtless. She couldn’t help but glance at his chest. He looked even better standing up. She quickly forced herself to focus and handed him a cup. “I think I got it right.”

“Mmmm. That’s perfect,” he said, letting the hot coffee warm him from the inside out. “I’m glad you’re better at coffee than I am at baked pasta.”

“Me too,” she laughed. “Otherwise I’d be out of a job.”

He glanced at the clock on the microwave. 9:45. He didn’t do too bad for forgetting to set an alarm.

Allyson nodded as she swallowed a mouthful of coffee. “Thank you, again, for letting me crash here last night. I really appreciate it. I woke up to a text from Mandy that she sent at 4 saying they had gotten the all-clear.”

He could tell she was sincere, and he appreciated it. So used to people using him, it was nice and comfortable to have someone be genuine with him. “Of course! I don’t let friends go into dangerous situations if I can help avoid it.”

She couldn’t help but smile as he said the word friends to describe them. “So are we friends?”

“Well, if you want to be,” he said hesitantly. “I’ve really enjoyed spending time with you these last couple days and getting to know you. I can’t remember a time that I felt this comfortable with someone so quickly, you know.”

“Me too,” she said smiling over the WORLD’S BEST BROTHER mug she had in her hands. “I just didn’t know since you’re headed to Florida and then back to LA I would guess.” Her voice trailed off, unsure of what exactly she wanted to say next.

He gave her a second to continue, finishing off the last of his coffee. When she didn’t, he jumped in. “Yeah, but that doesn’t mean we can’t be friends.”

She smiled and nodded, still unsure how any of this was happening.


JC packed the last of his toiletries and put the used towels and sheets into the laundry basket as instructed. As 11 o’clock rolled around, they were both ready to head out the door, Allyson to get ready for her shift and JC to Reagan International Airport.

“Mind if I ride with you a few stops?” she asked as they walked toward the station.

“I’d like that,” he said, switching his duffle bag from his left hand into his right.


As the Metro pulled into Dupont Circle, JC followed her out of the car.

“What are you doing? You’ve still got a ways to go.”

“I know. I just wanted to let people get on, off and out of the station so I could give you this without risk of cameras. Besides, the next train will be here in three minutes; I’ve got the time.” With the station as empty as it might ever be with both Shady Grove and Glenmont trains departing, he dropped his duffle bag at his feet and wrapped his arms around Allyson, pulling her in for a tight hug. Her arms stretched around his midsection as her head found its place on his chest. She could feel his back muscles as she moved her hands up and down his back slightly in the hug. She took in the smell of his cologne and the warmth of his hug. What she didn’t know was JC was taking in the moment also, feeling the comfort of a true embrace between friends, no strings attached, no pressure.

He sighed a bit as he hugged her a little tighter before loosening his arms. “I am so glad we met, and I’m not sorry for hitting your jaw. I mean, I am, but I’m not, you know.”

“Me too. Totally worth the pain,” she said with a soft smile. “This has truly been an amazing few days. I never thought I’d see the day that D.C. was boring, but it might be a bit duller from now on.”

He laughed softly. “I’m not sure D.C. is capable of being dull. But keep in touch, OK?”

“OK,” she said with a gigantic smile as she gave him another quick hug and JC gently touched his lips to her cheek.

“Have a good shift,” he said. “Oh, and tell that coworker of yours thanks for making you come up to me.” 

 

She just laughed as they began walking in opposite directions.

 

End Notes:

Is this goodbye or will they meet again? (I'll give you a hint: The story's not complete and still has a ways to go ;) )

Chapter 7 by TurtlenecksAndTea

Shannon was not working, so Allyson promised to stop by after work and give her the full play-by-play.

Allyson was smiling as Shannon opened her apartment door, just thinking about reliving the last 24 hours. “Well, what the hell happened? Tell me everything!”

“Wow, good to see you too,” Allyson joked. “Yeah the shift was good. The usual weekend rush but nothing unusual.”

“Good. OK. Now, come on! I’ve gone all day waiting for details! I let you leave, the least you can do is skip the pleasantries and get to the part where you tell me it was worth putting up with Kristina’s bitching,” Shannon said as fast as her mouth could form the words.

“Oh, it was worth it!” Allyson said, barely stifling her laughter, knowing she was teasing Shannon.

“No! Did you? No! Yes? No. Allyson!”

Allyson had told Shannon she was safe during the shelter-in-place, but what she didn’t say was that she was texting from JC’s couch.

Allyson busted out laughing. “No! I did spend the night, but not like that.”

Shannon’s eyes got wide. “You did what now?”

Allyson looked down shyly. “Yeah. I was over there when the shelter-in-place was ordered.”

“THAT’S WHERE YOU WERE?” Shannon yelled. “I wondered why you just said you were safe instead of saying you were home. Well, wasn’t that convenient,” she continued as she cocked her right eyebrow at her friend.

“Stop it! That wasn’t my plan if that’s what you’re suggesting.”

“I wasn’t suggesting anything.” Shannon put her arms in the air as if surrendering.

Recounting their night of HGTV, hot tea and failed dinner, Shannon asked the question she had been waiting not-so-patiently to ask. “So did you see anything? Touch anything?”

Allyson just laughed. “I think that discussion falls under the roommate code, even if it’s a temporary one-night roommate.” She knew the tease would push Shannon over the edge.

“Oh that’s bull shit, and you know it. Come on,” she said, just as annoyed as Allyson expected.

“Sorry,” Allyson shrugged. “But I can confirm that that man has some nice looking shoulders, arms and abs, and a nicely toned chest.

“Well then,” Shannon said as her lips curled into a smile. “OK.”

“Oh my gosh! Nothing happened!” Allyson said, laughing at her expression. “I slept in one room, and he was in another. He was still asleep on the couch when I got up. The blanket had just shifted in the night, so he wasn’t fully covered.”

She couldn’t help but giggle at the words coming out of her mouth. Whose life was this, and how did she get to live it?

At that moment, Allyson’s phone buzzed. It was JC.

On the plane. Thanks for a great time in dc. Ttyl

She smiled as she read the message.

“That’s him isn’t it?

Allyson blushed. “Yes,” showing her the phone. Shannon was going to see it one way or the other, so she might as well control the situation. “We left it as friends. That’s it. Nothing more, nothing less.”

“OK fine.”

She would have left it there if Allyson hadn’t touched her cheek and smiled.

“There’s something you’re not telling me,” Shannon said.

She looked down embarrassed.

“Allie, come on, what happened?”

“Well, he did give me a kiss on the cheek,” she smiled.

“Wait, wait, wait! What?” Shannon blurted out shaking her head. “Burying the lead a bit don’t you think? So he did kiss you!”

“Well, technically, yes, but not like what you were suggesting. It was a sweet peck on the cheek as I got off the Metro to go to work and he went on to the airport.”

“Allie, oh my God! Are your feet back on the ground?”

“Not really,” Allyson said through her laughter as her smile somehow managed to get even bigger than it already was.

“You’re welcome. See, aren’t you glad I pushed you out there?”

“Yes,” Allyson said, rolling her eyes and laughing. “Oh, and actually, yeah, he told me to tell you thank you for that also.”

Shannon just smiled proudly and nodded her head.


It had been a few weeks since JC had left D.C., and Allyson sat on the couch after working a closing shift. She pulled up her computer, going to Facebook. A friend request and a poke awaited her, both from Bowie JSC. Odd, she thought. She didn’t know anyone who had just gotten Facebook. Everyone she knew either had it already or was adamant against it, and she certainly didn’t know anyone named Bowie.

She clicked on it and there was JC in a motorcycle helmet staring back at her. It was his personal page, and it was locked down tight. Of course, Bowie Joshua Scott Chasez, she thought. Her heart fluttered as she clicked accept.


*Ping* The website alerted her to a new message.

Took me long enough to find you. This is where all the cool kids are right? she reads.

She giggled. Yes, welcome to 2007.

Hey, I was doing just fine over on MySpace, thank you very much.

A few seconds passed and another message came through. I don’t use this page too much. It’s really just my way of connecting with people when I have to change my phone number.

Wow, does that happen often? I thought you didn’t give it out to anyone?

Oh you’d be surprised what people can find.

A wave of relief washed over Allyson. She started to think maybe she was not as special as he made her think having his number.

Well I’ll keep it safe. Glad to be friends with you, officially, JC.

Likewise.

 

Chapter 8 by TurtlenecksAndTea
Author's Notes:

We're jumping ahead a bit, and JC's got some news!

Allyson and JC had started talking more regularly. It was not every day necessarily, but it was a steady series of phone calls and text messages, sharing funny stories and holiday greetings. The thing Allyson loved the most was even though they lived completely different lifestyles, they both found comfort in a chill night at home or a casual quiet lunch at a neighborhood diner.


Over the course of their messages, Allyson had earned a new nickname she was quite proud of: JC’s favorite barista.


So, how’s my favorite barista? he texted one Saturday morning in March 2008.

Swamped. Gotta get ready for my shift and then an after hours training to learn new drinks.

Ouch. Well call when you can, he wrote back. Exciting news!

OK. The message was calm, but her mind was racing, her heart was pounding out of her chest and her stomach was doing back flips. He had exciting news for her?


When are you done tonight? Forgot to ask, JC texted as the training was beginning.

8.

“What’d he saaayy?” Shannon asked. Allyson didn’t know it, but she had a special goofy smile whenever anything involved JC.

Allyson shushed her friend as the training continued. “I’ll tell you at break,” she whispered.

Shannon rolled her eyes before ultimately agreeing.


As they broke for a quick five-minute break, Shannon sat on her stool and turned to wait on Allyson to say what was going on.

“You’re such a pain, you know that?”

“But I’m a lovable pain,” Shannon smiled back, exaggeratingly batting her eyelashes. “So come on, this isn’t a long break!”

 “He wants me to call him when we finish here because he has exciting news, so he was checking to see what time we’re finishing up tonight.” Allyson’s face again shifted into her “JC face” as Shannon called it.

“Wait, you’re getting inside scoop? What’s it about?”

“I don’t know. All he said was exciting news and to call him once we’re done today.”

“Damn it. Why do we have to do this crap? It’s not like these drinks are that complicated. At least not for us. I want to know what this news is.”


A couple hours later, the gathered employees had learned the five new drinks and proved themselves competent in making each one. Now it was a little after 8.


Across the country, JC was sitting in his home studio tinkering with some music he had been inspired to work on. He didn’t have the lyrics yet, but he liked how the chord progression translated from his head onto paper. The words just hadn’t revealed themselves yet.


Allyson looked at her watch. It was 6:15 for JC. “Maybe I should let him have dinner first. I’ll call him later.”

“Oh no you’re not. Allyson Marie Stewart – yes, I used your full name – you’re calling him right now. He asked you to call after work. If you want to call when you get home, that’s fine, but I’m coming with you to make sure you do it.”

Allyson laughed and agreed. She had stopped getting nervous when she talked to JC, but this was different. This was more than just a funny story about silly things they witnessed. Shannon and Allyson had been guessing what the big news could be, from he was buying a place in D.C. to new *NSYNC music. But, ultimately, they had no idea. Allyson was just doing her best to put it out of her mind, so she didn’t get too worked up.


“So what are you going to say?” Shannon asked as they walked the few blocks from the Metro station to Allyson’s apartment.

“Uhh, hi, I guess,” Allyson said matter of factly trying to push her emotions down a little longer.

Shannon just rolled her eyes as Allyson hung up her coat, stalling a little bit, as they moved into her room, keeping the noise down for Mandy who had an early-morning appointment. Allyson couldn’t understand why this made her so nervous. His news could be that he had a girlfriend or something.

“Call him. Now,” Shannon said sternly. “This is why I said I’d come over.”

 “OK, OK,” Allyson said, pulling out her phone, flipping it open and punching the 5 and 2 buttons to pull up JC’s name and hitting the green call button.

The phone rang three times and Allyson began to panic. She hadn’t thought about having to leave a message. What would she say? Maybe she would just hang up and text him.

“Hello? Allyson,” he said into the phone, cutting the fourth ring short.

“Hi, yeah, sorry. We got out a little late.”

"Turn it up," Shannon whispered. Even without a speaker phone she could hear the other side of the conversation if Allyson had the volume up loud enough. 

“No it’s fine,” he said, his voice getting louder as Allyson hit the volume button as far as it would go. “I’m just glad you called. I was getting worried you’d forgotten about me.”

Shannon’s big grin was met with a relieved smile from Allyson. Immediately she felt more comfortable. She had gotten herself worked up over nothing. This was fine. It felt like any other conversation between them.

“No, no, no. I want to hear this exciting news you have.”

“Yes!” he nearly screamed into the phone. “I’m going to be in New York in a couple weeks and thought I’d build in some extra time to come down to D.C. to visit.”

Shannon was shocked and it showed all over her face.

“Woah really?” Allyson said, genuinely surprised herself. That was the last thing she expected him to say. “Do you have another meeting at the Capitol?”

Both girls heard a low chuckle come from the other end of the line. “No, I’m coming to see you.”

“Oh,” Allyson was still shocked.

“I mean, I can not if you don’t want me to,” JC said, all of a sudden nervous that he had felt too comfortable in their relationship.

“No, no! I’d love for you to visit. I just wasn’t expecting you to say that,” Allyson said, her smile evident in her voice.

“Oh good,” JC said, letting out a relieved sigh and cracking into a smile.

“So, then, what’s going on in New York?”

“Well, because I’ve become such an advocate for funding for art and music programs, I was approached about being on a charity record that will benefit fine arts programs throughout the country.”

“Oh that’s great! Kind of like a ‘We are the World’ thing?”

“Yeah basically. I’ve done a couple of these before, so it’ll be fun. I’ll see some folks I haven’t seen in a while too. But, don’t say anything to anyone about it yet. It hasn’t been officially announced.”

Wow! Inside information, she thought, but saying, “No problem.” She gave Shannon a death glare that said, “Tell anyone before it’s announced, and I’ll kill you.” Shannon knew the look and drew an X across her chest with her right pointer finger.

They chatted for a few more minutes as JC relayed more details about the trip and their schedules. As soon as Allyson hung up, she and Shannon spent the rest of the night gushing over what had just happened. Shannon didn’t live far, but now that it was past 10 and neither of them had to work the next day, they decided to treat it as a sleepover, ordering Chinese take-out for a late-night dinner.


“Oh my God! Allie! I can’t believe JC is making a special trip just to see you!” Shannon said. “So what do you think he has planned for the third date?

Allyson just rolled her eyes. “This isn’t a third date and the last times weren’t dates either.”

“Yeah, OK, whatever.”

“It wasn’t! Just go to sleep!” Allyson whisper-yelled over to her friend who was sleeping on the air mattress set up on Allyson’s bedroom floor.

“Fine, but we’re not done talking about this.”

Allyson just chuckled as she rolled over to go to sleep.


The next morning, Allyson and Shannon strolled to one of their favorite French-American restaurants around the corner for some brunch. With a mimosa and two coffees on the table and an order of French toast and an egg sandwich on their way, Shannon broke the JC ice in the conversation.

“How the hell do you not call that a date? He takes you to dinner and then the next day fucking makes you dinner – or tried at least – and then you spent the night at his place!”

“You know it wasn’t like that.”

 “But am I wrong? Is that not what happened?”

Allyson smirked. “Yes, but, I mean, no. They weren’t dates.” To be honest, she was still trying to wrap her mind around the events of the fall. “He almost broke my jaw, remember? And then there was a shelter-in-place so I couldn’t go home.”

 

Shannon sighed. Allyson had a point, but Shannon was still convinced they were dates.

 

End Notes:

Were they dates?

Chapter 9 by TurtlenecksAndTea

A few days after talking to Allyson, JC got a call from his manager telling him they wanted to do a photoshoot along with the record to help promote it. JC sighed to himself. He had been enjoying some time off from the gym, but this meant that break would be short lived.

For the next two weeks, JC would be on a strict diet and in the gym at least once a day, five days a week. He was nowhere near out of shape. In fact, he felt as good as he did in 2004 when he was doing two club shows a night. But he needed to look in peak shape if he was going to have a photoshoot. For all he knew, he’d have to put on a clingy tank top again. Nowadays, the only place he was having his picture taken was on red carpets, at awards show parties, by the paparazzi and at family gatherings.


With his hands grasping 20-pound dumbbells, he did the last of his set of weighted lunges, being conscious the entire time of his form.

“Good. Now, let’s do some Russian twists,” his trainer said as JC set the dumbbells back onto the rack and walked over to grab a 15-pound weight plate. Positioning himself on the floor, balancing his body in a perfect V form, he began twisting back and forth. Even through his gray T-shirt, his abs were visibly working, engaging with each twist.

“One more. Good. Now, rest for three minutes, and we’ll hit arms.”

JC let his feet and his back fall onto the mat as he wiped sweat from his forehead. He was now in the second half of an hour-and-a-half work out. Today was the most intense of the week. The other sessions were an hour. The last half hour of these extended workouts, though, was a cool down, a treadmill jog or stationary bike ride and a short yoga session for flexibility.

JC was getting some water as his trainer walked back toward JC from the office, hollering, “OK! Ready for some flies?”

“Do I have a choice?” JC gave a shallow laugh as he put the top back on the bottle.

“I mean, you could quit on me, but I won’t like that, and I don’t think you would either.”

“No. Let’s do this, boss.”

As the playlist started up again, JC picked up a set of 25-pound dumbbells, bending over to get in position for a set of reverse flies. His face grimaced as he pulled his arms to his side with a slight bounce, his body bent at his hips.

“Good. One more set, just like that.”


“OK, that’s all the weight work we’re going to do today,” his trainer said after JC counted his last rep. “I want you to get on the bike and go 15 minutes at a quick pace. It’s not a race, but keep your heart rate elevated. It shouldn’t be what it was just now, but make sure you’re working. This is supposed to be an active cool down.”

JC nodded as he grabbed his water bottle, took another sip and continued walking to the bike. Straddling the stationary bike, he set the resistance level and began pedaling.

As he continued to pedal, he checked his phone quickly, seeing a text message from his manager. He was going to be wearing pink at the photoshoot. That’s fine, JC thought. He didn’t have an issue with wearing bright colors. Shoot, he’d worn salmon-colored snakeskin pants and a fur-lined jacket to an awards show. He looked and felt good in it, but it, admittedly, was maybe not the best fashion choice he ever made.

After finishing the workout, JC hopped in one of the gym’s private showers and freshened up before heading over to the studio to meet with Max Martin, who he was producing the charity album with. After a couple hours, they had divvied up all the parts and scheduled everyone to be in the New York studio later in the week.


JC was packing everything he would need for a couple weeks, spending a week-and-a-half in New York and another three days in D.C. With two days before he was scheduled to leave, he called his manager to confirm the flights.

Grabbing his phone off the nightstand, he held down the 4 button and the phone began ringing. “Hey, you do have me getting in Wednesday to LaGuardia, and then leaving two weeks later from Reagan, right?” … “I’m just making sure. I want to make sure I have some solid time in D.C. I promised a friend I’d spend time there while on the East Coast.” … “Does it matter who?” … “OK, see you Wednesday. 9 a.m., got it.” 


Sitting in the window seat with his hat down over his eyes, JC had a relatively uneventful travel experience from LAX to Newark. That is until he got to the East Coast. Word had gotten out that he not only was helping produce the record, but that he would be singing on it also, so everyone was wanting to know who else was part of the project. The label was keeping the entire list of artists a secret to help build anticipation. And it was working. The paparazzi shouted: ‘Who are you excited to work with?’ ‘Will this reunite you with Justin?’ ‘When’s the next JC album coming out?’ ‘What is the song?’

“I’m excited about the record. We’ve got some great artists lined up that I’m excited and fortunate to get to work with. The only thing I can tell y’all is we’ll be doing an arrangement of the great Stevie Wonder’s ‘Sir Duke.’ I think people will really dig it,” he told the group of hungry TV and magazine folks who were buzzing as they followed him through the terminal with their cameras and microphones in his face.

A sense of relief washed over him when he saw the black Town Car waiting for him. He climbed in seeing Max Martin already inside.

“Miss this?” he asked as JC took a seat.

“No, can’t say I miss that part of it,” he laughed, giving a final wave to the small mob outside his window as the car drove away.


About 30 minutes later, they were pulling into the studio parking lot. It was a nondescript building, which meant no one knew to be looking there.

Together, Max and JC went over everyone’s parts and developed their game plan for the next week of studio sessions.

One by one, each artist took their turn at the microphone as they spent the first few days recording solos.


Carrie Underwood, Beyoncé, John Legend, Pat Monahan, Ne-Yo, Tim McGraw, Fergie and JC each took their turns in the smaller studio until everyone was happy with their performances. Then, all eight moved into the larger recording space where eight microphones were set up in a circle. They were going to run the song all the way through together at least once, just so they had the take.


“Hey, man. Sorry I couldn’t do the project. How’s it going?” a familiar voice asked over the phone during one of the session’s few extended breaks.

“What’s up, J. Yeah, it’s good here. Everyone sounds great. Wish you could’ve been on the record or at least helped produce, but I think you’ll be proud of it. How’s the film?”

“It’s been a long few days, but I love this film, man. You’re really gonna enjoy it, I think, once we finish it.”

“I’m excited, man. Hey, I’ve got to run back in. We’re trying to finish any pick-ups tonight. I’ll give you a sample tomorrow.”

“Sounds good, man. Talk to you later.”

“Later. Enjoy The Open Road.”

Justin just laughed at JC’s ability to throw the title of the movie project into the conversation.


“Sooo when does JC get in? Shannon questioned Allyson.

Allyson just rolled her eyes. “Sunday night after dinner.” It was only a few more days away.

“And where’s he staying?”

“Oh my God, woman!” Allyson joked. “For the last time, he’s staying at an undisclosed hotel – and not at my place.” Allyson knew his hotel, but she was not about to tell Shannon.

With a sigh, Shannon let it go as a couple customers walked in.


How’s my favorite barista? JC texted Thursday night. They’d finished their last day in the studio with everyone, and now it was just he and Max working with the song.

Allyson just smiled. She still couldn’t believe JC freaking Chasez was going to make a special trip to D.C. to see her. How had she gotten so lucky?

It’s been dead all day. :/  she sent.

Damn. Sorry.

Don’t be. After yesterday, I’ll take a light day.

What happened yesterday? Sorry, didn’t get to check in much.

You’re doing more important stuff. You have Queen Bey there. But tour group after tour group.

Ouch. And for the record, you’re just as important.

Allyson blushed as she read his last text. She had no idea over text to know if he was flirting or just being his typical nice guy. The dynamic was not clear cut. She always dreamed of dating JC – who didn’t? – but she wasn’t going to push her luck. It didn’t make her any less curious, though.

Thanks :) she sent back. Then, followed up with, How’d last studio day go?

Good. Everyone sounded great. Stevie likes it so far.

That’s all you need.

Ha yeah. Well ttyl. Photos tomorrow.

Ttyl

 

Chapter 10 by TurtlenecksAndTea
Author's Notes:

It's time for a photoshoot.

NSFW

JC stepped out of the hotel elevator in black joggers and a plain white undershirt. The photoshoot was at the hotel, so he knew he could be comfortable, especially since he’d be changing anyway. The photographer had been setting up since noon, but the photos did not begin until 2 and JC’s time slot was at 4. 


“Ah, Mr. Chasez,” the artistic director and lead photographer Arthur greeted JC as the artist-producer walked into the cavernous ballroom set up with designated areas for wardrobe, hair and makeup and, of course, photos. They looked like little towns throughout the space.


He directed JC to wardrobe where the assistant was handing Carrie Underwood the gold sequin pantsuit she would be wearing.

“Hey, JC!” Carrie said cheerfully. “I had so much fun in the studio this week. Thanks for making all this happen.”

“Of course! This has been a great experience, and y’all are a dream group,” he smiled back.

“Well, I’ll let you get ready. See you in a little bit for the group shot.”

JC smiled back and nodded as he directed his attention to Yvonne, the petite woman with a pixie cut who was thumbing through the clothing rack.

“Here ya go, honey,” she said with a mousy voice. She handed him a pair of dark wash jeans and a hot pink button-down shirt with a blazer. The shirt had detailed stitching along either side of the buttons.

“Looks good. That’s definitely pink,” he said with a laugh. “Now, where do I need to go next?” He looked around the room for his next stop.

“They have a changing area right over there,” she said, pointing to a few popup teepee-like structures behind him.

Nodding, JC headed to the area he’d been directed and began changing in his assigned tent. Pulling his shirt off, he took a second to look at himself in the full-length mirror, acknowledging the payoff of his hard work in the gym over the last couple weeks. His abs, while not a defined six-pack like they once were, were tight and strong, and his arms were certainly more toned.


He looked at the completed outfit in the mirror before walking out, making sure everything was straight. He was told the look was “smart casual,” so he left the shirt untucked and left the top three or so buttons of the shirt undone.

As he approached the next person, he noticed her eyes get big, but wasn’t sure if it was good or bad.

“Wow,” Erin, the stylist on site gesturing with her hands at the vision of the man standing in front of her. “I’ve got nothing to fix.”

JC smiled shyly back to her. She was cute, about 5’8” with shoulder length dark brown hair and piercing green eyes. He let out a shallow laugh, looking down at himself a little embarrassed. “Wow, OK then. I guess I haven’t completely forgotten how to clean up for a photo.” He adjusted his jacket and smiled again.


The last stop before the camera was hair and makeup.

“Don’t worry, I’m only putting some foundation on that will mimic your natural skin tone, but make you look less shiny under all those lights,” the makeup artist Lydia said.

“Alright,” he said a little hesitantly as he sat down in the director-style chair she gestured to. “I trust you. It can’t be worse than being painted gold head to toe.”

She laughed as she spritzed his face with moisturizing spray. It didn’t take but 10 minutes for her to apply the loose powder and put some mousse in his hair.


JC waited for Ne-Yo to finish his individual shot and then stepped onto the fabric as the lights switched off and on again to reset.

“I’m going to have you sit in this chair,” Arthur said as a couple assistants were moving an ornate, weathered cream-colored chair in front of the dark watercolor backdrop.

JC nodded. “How do you want me to sit? Just regular? Or, well, you tell me what to do.”

“Sit on the edge and lean forward toward me with your elbows resting on your knees.” … “Perfect. Now let your hands hang there.” … “Yes, just like that. Hold that.”

After a few flashes in that position, Arthur gave JC more direction. “Now, lean back in the chair like it’s a lounger almost.” … “OK angle yourself a little more. … Good. Now, I want you to put your left arm on this arm of the chair and rest that hand against your cheek.” … “Just like that, yes. And let your other arm stretch out over the other arm of the chair.” … “That’s it. Perfect. OK, don’t move; I’m going to get up a little higher.” Shuffling over a stool, Arthur stepped up to where he was a few feet above JC’s head and angled his camera down as JC stared directly into the lens as Arthur’s camera fired away.

“Got it. Let’s see. I think that might be the one.”

JC got up and looked at the raw photos popping up on Arthur’s computer. “I love it, man,” shaking his hand.


The last photo of the day was a group shot with all eight artists. The reason they chose the hotel for the photoshoot was because all the artists were already there, so it did not matter how long the shoot ran or anyone being spotted.

The entire time JC was being positioned for the photo, he felt like he was being watched. Looking around, he noticed Erin staring at him.

Shit, her eyes are mesmerizing, he thought to himself, shaking the thought to keep himself in check.


After about 20 minutes, they finished all the photos for the day, and JC went back through the steps, changing back into his joggers and T-shirt.

Erin took JC’s clothes from him. “Check your back pocket,” she whispered so only he could hear her.

A confused and nervous look spread across his face.

“Just look,” she replied with a smirk.

Reaching into his back pocket, he pulled out a card. “Erin Stark, hair and makeup” it read with her business address and phone number. “Call me” was written next to the cell phone number she had scribbled onto the card.

While JC was studying the card, Erin had turned around to collect Beyoncé’s outfit. Erin turned her head slightly and gave JC a soft smile as he nodded back.


JC and a few other artists grabbed dinner together in the hotel before they all retired to their rooms. JC spent his time finishing packing up his suitcase. With nothing else to distract him, he sat on the edge of the hotel bed, reading the card over and over as if it had an unbroken code on it. Did he call her? Should he call her? They had finished with all the photos for the project, so professionalism didn’t come into play. He looked at the clock. It was almost 9:30. He needed to decide.

Oh, what the hell, he thought. It had been a couple months since he was last intimate with a woman, and he missed that womanly touch. It wasn’t his intention, just the side effect of a busy schedule, but he had recently done the math.

“Hello?” Erin answered on the third ring.

“Hey,” JC said, immediately regretting but not changing his decision. “What are you up to?”

“Was just sitting here, hoping you’d call.”

“Well, here I am.”

“Here you are. Wanna grab some drinks and have some fun?”

“Let’s do it,” he said. “I had the mini fridge stocked. Come on up. Room 346.”

“Be there soon,” she said, her smile evident.

Less than five minutes later, JC heard a knock on the door and, opening it, saw Erin standing there in a pair of dark wash ultra-low-rise jeans and a flowy white crop top.

She did not come to play, he thought to himself, biting his bottom lip. Out loud, he said, “Damn,” as he opened the door wider and stepped out of the way for her to enter the room.

While she had changed, JC still had on his same joggers and T-shirt combination.

“So, what can I make you,” he asked as he moved over to the mini fridge.

“Got stuff for a screwdriver?”

JC shuddered at the way she said the drink. He was definitely going to regret this tomorrow, but he was going to enjoy himself tonight.

Mixing the drink, he handed her the glass, as he poured himself a glass of the bottle of complimentary merlot the record label had gifted each of the artists in their welcome bag. All the artists had agreed that whatever monetary payment they would normally receive for the song would be donated to the nonprofits and lobbyists they were supporting. So, instead, they each received a “swag bag” of sorts from the label.

“Well, cheers,” he said, holding up his glass in her direction.

“Cheers.”

After a bit of small talk and chatting about the photoshoot, Erin broke the seal. “You looked fucking hot in that outfit.”

JC almost spit out the wine in his mouth so caught off guard. Choking the wine down as it burned more than it should, he said, “Well, thanks. I was feeling myself a bit today for sure. And don’t think I didn’t see you taking notice.”

He winked at her and caught her gaze. Eyes locked, it was mere moments before the pair was in the midst of a series of deep kisses. As their tongues took turns exploring each other’s mouth, they exchanged moans as the tension had been building inside each of them since the shoot ended. Still sitting on the ground where they had been drinking, JC started to stand, bringing Erin to her feet with him, not once losing contact with her lips. He wrapped his arms tighter around her as his hands made their way to her hair.

Erin took her time feeling his back muscles move with his arm movements before her hands reached under the bottom of his shirt to feel the skin of his lower back before moving them around to his abs. She felt the muscles contract under her fingers at the surprise touch. As JC pulled her closer, she could feel his need against her leg and let a groan escape into his mouth as they shifted and she felt the pressure move closer to her center.

JC broke their lip lock long enough to rip his shirt off, fully revealing the body he had worked so hard on for the last few weeks.

Erin had readied herself for this, but nothing could have prepared her for the amazing specimen of a man standing in front of her as she just stared. “Come on, don’t let me be alone,” JC said with a smirk as he reached for the straps of Erin’s crop top. In one swift movement, she pulled the loose-fitting top over her head, revealing what JC had suspected: She had come prepared, skipping the bra.

Now it was JC’s turn to growl as he turned Erin around and wrapped his arms around her from behind, moving his mouth to her neck, gently sucking and kissing. Erin flinched a little as she felt him poke against her, and she guided his hands from her waist and stomach up to her breasts. She sucked in a sharp breath as she felt his soft, strong hands cup her breasts, rubbing each nipple with his thumb.

She leaned her head back into his chest in pure pleasure and ran her hands down the front of his thighs. As her hands made their way back up, JC turned her back around and started to unbutton her jeans, which she took as her invitation to grab at the waistband of his joggers. In no time, they were standing in front of each other completely naked. JC took a moment to admire this woman standing in front of him. This woman who he had only met five hours earlier. His lips crashed onto hers again, as he guided them over to the bed.

As she hit the edge, she laid down with JC following on top of her.

“Give it to me,” she instructed, almost breathless as JC’s lips had spent time on her mouth, neck, breasts and stomach.

That was all he needed to hear. Guiding himself in, they found a rhythm as the sound of skin hitting skin and grunts echoed in the room. Erin’s moans grew louder and JC stifled them with his mouth as he kept up his pace. “Shhh,” he whispered on her mouth. “Do I need to slow down, mama?”

“Oh God, no!” she moaned back. “I want it all.”

JC quickened his pace a little, getting deeper with each thrust.

“Oh! Oh! Oh God! Oh JC!” Erin started to yell as JC’s head started to spin also.

Their hearts were racing and their breaths got faster and shallower as they both felt the waves crash over them.

JC collapsed onto Erin before rolling over onto his back beside her, their chests rising and falling in unison with each other.

“Oh fuck,” he breathed out.

Erin laughed. “My thoughts exactly,” as she turned her gaze from the ceiling to JC.

They kissed a little more, softer than before, as they came down from their sex-induced high. Before long, they were both asleep in those same positions, their feet still hanging off the side of the bed.

When JC woke up at 8:30 the next morning to the sun shining through the crack in the curtains, he saw Erin was gone. A note on the desk read: “Thanks for a great night. Call next time you’re in NYC,” with a heart.

Well, at last we both understood what last night was, he thought as he continued on to the bathroom to get a shower. He didn’t exactly care for one-night stands anymore, but he couldn’t deny how good it felt to be with a woman again.


It was Sunday, his last day in New York before taking the short trip to DC for a few days. He met Max for a few quick tweaks and to let Stevie Wonder hear the finished song. With the verbal thumbs up from the man himself, JC and Max closed out the record, calling it done.

From the studio, JC made his way to Central Park to meet Lance for lunch at Tavern on the Green.


“So you’re going to see this girl after you hooked up with another girl last night?” Lance asked.

“It’s not like that, man. I told you, Allyson and I are just friends, that’s it. And last night was just that, last night.”

“Whatever you say.”

“So what’s the deal with you,” JC asked, flipping the conversation. “Where’s Ben, huh?”

“He had a client to take care of this morning, thank you very much,” Lance responded with a defensive smirk.

“Oh OK, so he’s earning the big bucks in the relationship, now?” JC teased.

“Shut up,” Lance laughed. “Do you know what you’re going to order yet?”

They enjoyed a casual lunch with only a couple requests for photos, which they politely posed for. Neither of them minded the request, but honestly would have preferred they waited until after they finished their food.

 

“Well, I should get a move on. I’ve got to get my stuff from the hotel and head to DC.”

“Oh, yeah, yeah,” Lance said looking at his watch. “It was good to see you, man. Hey, and I might be moving out to LA soon, so be on the lookout for any good houses up in those Hills of yours.”

“You got it. Love ya, buddy. Take care,” JC said as the two embraced each other.

“Love ya, brother. Be safe.”


Bout to head your way, JC wrote to Allyson quickly.

      Yay! Im excited! he got a minute later.

Chapter 11 by TurtlenecksAndTea

Rather than take a plane, he decided to take the more scenic route – literally – and ride the Amtrak into Union Station. His train was scheduled to leave at 5:15 in the evening and get him to DC by 8:30 that night.

He and Allyson had decided they would meet up Monday, accounting for any delays and giving JC a chance to catch up on the sleep he knew he would not be getting during his time in New York.

Monday morning, on his way to Allyson’s apartment, JC stopped by Pret to grab an almond croissant, a chocolate croissant and a couple lattes.

As Allyson waited for the doorbell to ring, she was a bundle of nerves. Even though they had been texting quite a bit and spoke on the phone fairly regularly, even Skyping a few times, she hadn’t seen JC in the flesh since the fall.

“What’s up, mama?” he said as she opened the door and he stepped in setting his breakfast goodies on the island.

“Hi,” she said as she involuntarily threw her arms around him. “I’m sorry,” she said quickly, realizing what she had done, letting go and stepping back.

“Don’t be sorry for that,” he said as he pulled her in for another hug, this one tighter and longer. “I love a good hug,” he said into her dark hair.

“Those workouts must be working pretty well,” she said into his chest. “Your hugs are even better, and you already had the best hugs.”

“Well, you know,” he said, as the hug ended. He jokingly flexed his arms, making Allyson blush and giggle, if not black out for a second.


“So what’s on the agenda for today?” he asked as they sat at the island munching on their breakfast, none of which was on JC’s approved pre-photoshoot menu.

 “Well, I thought we could go to the National Zoo if you want.”

“That sounds fun. Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!” he said, making a silly face as he quoted The Wizard of Oz.


Finishing up their breakfast, Allyson gathered her things and they headed toward the zoo.

“Thank you for the coffee and croissant, by the way,” she said, as they made their way to the bus stop. “I’m surprised you remembered Pret was my second-favorite.”

“Well you talked about the chocolate croissant and egg salad sandwich enough, how could I forget?” he teased. “I’m kidding. We actually stopped at one in New York also, and it made me think of you. And I know the coffee’s not as good as yours, putting it in second place, but it’s pretty good.”

“It is. But I know it was the same distance to Pret as it was to my shop, given the way you had to go. So, did you really just want to avoid Shannon?” She smirked at him.

“Maybe,” he smiled shyly. “Don’t tell her that. I don’t need her to know I’m a little scared of her.”

Allyson laughed and made a zipper motion across her mouth.

As they rode to the zoo, JC filled Allyson in on the happenings of New York – excluding his Saturday night activities.


JC laughed and grinned like a kid as they walked through the well-maintained zoo, saying hi to the kangaroos, giraffes, hippos and rhinos.

“Hey, they’re the same color as my photoshoot shirt,” JC laughed pointing at the flock of flamingos.

“Was it really that pink?” Allyson asked.

“Oh yeah! It was fine, and I don’t mind pink – real men wear pink! – but yeah it was definitely pink. I’ll show you. The proofs should be in by next week. They want to push the photos out as promo in late April or early May before the song releases in June.”

“Oh yay!” Allyson said, clapping her hands. “I want a sneak peek at these photos. I need to see Beyoncé killing it.” She gave JC a side glance and laughed a little. “Oh and you too!”

JC shook his head. “Come on. Let’s continue this safari.”


The rest of the day was spent wandering the grounds, greeting the animals, going to a few of the educational programs and enjoying the slim crowd in the middle of the day Monday.


It was 5:30 by the time they were leaving the zoo, so the pair stopped for an early dinner before continuing on to Allyson’s apartment for a movie night. Allyson figured it might be a good chance for Mandy and JC to get to know each other and for JC to convince her roommate that it was worth her time to listen to a little of his music, despite his designation as “pop” instead of “indie.”

With popcorn made, the trio piled onto the small sectional as Allyson hit play on Raiders of the Lost Ark. It was an all-time favorite of JC’s and Mandy still needed to see the cultural classic.

JC stretched and yawned as the movie ended.

“Oh man,” Allyson said, looking at the time on the microwave. “It’s already 10:30. I guess I didn’t realize how late it was when we started this. If you want to stay here, you can,” she said, turning her attention to JC.

“Usually I would fight you on that, but I won’t on this one,” JC said through heavy eyelids. “Between last week and the zoo today, I’m ’bout done.”

Allyson tossed a blanket toward him, as she went to her room to grab an extra pillow off the bed.

JC graciously accepted both as Allyson slid the TV remote over to him. “You can leave it on or turn it off, but you might want to keep the volume down if you leave it on because that’s Mandy’s bedroom,” she pointed to the wall the TV was mounted on.

“Yes, keep it down, please! I like my sleep!” Mandy yelled from her bathroom where she was wiping her nightly facemask off.

“Don’t worry, I don’t plan on leaving it on,” he answered loud enough for Mandy to hear also before hitting the red power button on the remote.

Allyson just laughed. Maybe they would get along after all. “Here’s a charger too if you need to charge your phone.”

“Oh, yes, thank you. Good thing they moved to the universal charging thing.”

Allyson just giggled and shook her head. “Nerd. Goodnight.” She went into her room and left the door cracked slightly, instead of closing it all the way like she normally did.


JC crashed hard, but he probably could’ve slept on a slab of concrete he was so tired.

The next morning, he was startled awake as his phone was practically vibrating off the coffee table as it dinged incessantly with text after text. Do they already have the first photos ready? he thought as he picked up his phone, half awake.

He flipped it open. Call me now! he read, the first of several messages from Max. It’s urgent!

 

Chapter 12 by TurtlenecksAndTea
Author's Notes:

When someone's looking for their 15 minutes

Stepping out onto the small balcony, breathing in the morning air as the sun was just coming up over the nation’s capital. He dialed Max’s number, unsure what was going on.

“What the hell is this, JC?” he yelled into the phone.

“What the hell is what?” JC asked defensively, Max’s tone immediately putting him in a sour mood. “And good morning by the way.” This was not how he was used to being spoken to, especially not by Max, who had always been so nice, even in the most stressful situations.

“The rumors are true – he’s packing. *NSYNC’s JC Chasez’s lady friend tells all,” Max read out to him.

“What is that?” JC asked, feeling annoyed, angry, frustrated and confused.

“That is the front page of Us Weekly this morning.”

“That’s a bunch of bull shit, man.”

“Do you know an Erin Stark?”

“Yeah, she was the stylist at the photoshoot. Why?”

“That’s their source.”

“Oh shit,” JC said, massaging his temples as he felt a headache beginning.

“‘Oh shit,’ what? What did you do? What happened?”

JC just sighed. “Saturday, after the shoot, she handed me her card and asked me to call her.”

“And you did?” Max asked, cutting him off, able to fill in the rest of the story.

“And I did,” JC confirmed.

“Dammit man. This is not exactly how we expected promo for the record to start.”

“I know. I’m sorry. I wasn’t thinking with the right head. I’m usually smarter than that. I know better. I’ll figure it out.”


Stepping back inside, he started pacing in the apartment, almost looking like a wild animal on the prowl. He was wracking his brain for how he might be able to fix the situation. It wasn’t that he was dating someone – or even rumored to be – to where anyone could spin it to be “JC cheated,” but a one-night stand wasn’t a big step up when working so closely on and about to start promoting a charity album.

“Ugh, fuck,” he mumbled under his breath.

As he continued pacing, his eyes staring at the ground, fingers interlaced behind his head, trying to figure something out, Allyson had come out of her room into the shared space and was getting stuff together to make some coffee.

“Is everything OK?” she asked, thinking he had seen her.

“What?” JC asked, startled, snapping his head up to look at her.

“Sorry. I asked is everything OK.”

“No. In fact, it’s the opposite of OK. It’s pretty damn horrible.”

Allyson’s smile dropped as she started to wonder if someone had taken a photo of them at the zoo or something. “Oh no. What happened?” With no answer, she repeated with growing concern, “What’s going on?”

“Go to Us Weekly’s website,” he said, pointing to her laptop on the island.

Allyson’s eyes got wide. “Oh. Wow,” she said as the website loaded.

His fingers moved back to massage his temples again. “Yeah. What am I supposed to do about that?” he asked, gesturing to the computer.

“No one believes this stuff anyway,” Allyson said, trying to be supportive. “Just say it’s all made up.”

“But it’s not, and the damage has already been done anyway,” he said matter-of-factly.

“We’ll figure this out,” Allyson said, trying to stay calm and collected, while she was a mess on the inside. She was concerned about this man who had become her good friend. She was jealous of this Erin woman. And she was a little turned on to know some of the stories she heard over the last decade about JC were true.


After a quiet breakfast, Allyson moved over to the couch where JC had now sat down finally. “I know you’re upset, but aren’t you a little proud of her description?” she asked as she sat next to him, putting her hand on his knee, trying to help ease the tension.

JC let a very small, almost unnoticeable smile grace his lips as he let out a little puff of a barely-there laugh at the attempt. “More upset that she said anything.”

“Yeah,” Allyson said looking down before JC continued.

“This is exactly what I knew would happen. This is what I spent years avoiding. This is why I have a rule that I don’t get involved with fans, and why I freaked out when you had glasses with you when you stayed at my place.” JC jolted from the couch getting worked up again. “Well, ‘my place,’” he corrected himself with some air quotes.

“I know,” Allyson said. “I’m sorry that was a bad attempt at some humor to ease the tension.”

“You don’t need to apologize. I appreciate the effort, but I just really need to figure this out. Like now. Yesterday, preferably.”

Do you want some tea while we think about what to do?”

“Sure. Do you have any Earl Gray?”

“I do. But maybe chamomile for the time being.”

“Sure,” he said, already in his head again, not paying attention to the question.


JC had settled back into the couch, leaning back his legs spread apart as his hands went up to his face again, his head now resting on top of the back cushions of the couch.

“Here, maybe this will help. Tea helped the Doctor.”

JC laughed in appreciation for the sci-fi callback as he took a sip. “Mmmm this is great! Did you use vanilla?”

“Sweetened vanilla almond milk. Remember I am a barista,” she smiled as she sat down on the couch again, ready to develop a plan.


“OK, so go over it again. What happened?”

“What do you mean what happened? We had sex, and she ran to the press,” he said exasperated. “What else is there?”

“I’m only trying to see if there’s anything we can use to get her to back off or take it back or something.”

“I know, I’m sorry,” JC sighed. “I don’t know that there’s much that can be done. She got what she wanted. She’s getting her 15 minutes, and I’m sure she got a nice check in exchange for the story.”


“Ugh,” he groaned after they both sat for a few minutes thinking. “At least she didn’t claim I was the father of her child.”

“Wait! What?” Allyson asked, turning her head so quickly, she almost gave herself whiplash. “Is ‘Until Yesterday’ based on a real thing?”

“Well, kind of,” he said. “We were together, and I used protection every time because, well, yes. – Oh my God! I can’t believe he does that in real life, Allyson thought hearing the phrase she first heard when the group was on Leno. – Well, she tried to say I owed her however much money, but her timing didn’t match up for when we were together. Then, a paternity test proved the kid belonged to another guy.”

“Oof,” Allyson said. “Who helped you through that? Maybe we can call them again.”

“Honestly the person I talked to most about that was Justin,” JC said. “But he’s in Louisiana and Texas filming his new movie.” He sat for a few seconds thinking about anyone else he talked to much about that situation. “Well, I did talk to Tony a bit also, I guess.”

“Tonyyy… Lucca?” Allyson asked.

“Yeah,” he said, not realizing that he was just talking about Allyson’s other MMC crush.

“Well, then, let’s try him. It’s 9:30 there now. Is that too early?

“No, he’ll be up. He’s got a kid, so I’m sure he’s up.”

“OK, well then let’s try.”

 

JC pulled out his phone dialing the number he had for his longtime friend.

“Hey man, how’s it going?” JC asked into the phone

“Hey, C! What’s up? Good to hear from you.”

“Well, I was actually hoping I could get some advice on something.”

“Sure. I mean, I’ll try,” Tony said with a chuckle.

JC relayed the dilemma, reminding him of the “Until Yesterday” story.

“Dude, that’s messed up, man,” Tony said after hearing the situation JC found himself in.

“I know, and I don’t know what to do. I’m supposed to be promoting this charity record as soon as next week, and this is the first thing you see when you search my name. I need to do damage control, but I haven’t come up with anything that would work.”

“It’s already published?”

“Yeah. It’s on Us Weekly this morning.”

“Damn, man. Hmmm. There has to be a way to take control of the situation. Hey, what if you acknowledge it and do something that will raise money for what the record’s supporting?”

“That’s an interesting idea. What’re you thinking?”

“Well, like if you’re promoting somewhere, say anyone who buys the record and brings in a copy of that magazine to be recycled can get an autograph.”

“Oh that has some serious potential. Let me run it past Max and the label to make sure I don’t get myself into even more shit, and I might call you back to brainstorm some more.”

“Yeah, I’ll be here. It’s Liam’s school’s spring break, so all we’ve got going on is Little League.”

“Cool, man. Thanks again. I’ll call you later.”

“Bye.”


“That sounded promising,” Allyson said as JC hung up the phone.

“Not just promising, but might be the answer. He said to just take the story on the chin – I mean, it is true,” he said with a smirk, “and then offer that anyone who buys the CD on the promo tour can get an autograph if they bring in a copy of that Us Weekly to recycle.”

“Oh that’s a great idea!”

“Yeah. I’m gonna run it by Max and the label real quick. Mind if I use your room to call?”

With a nod from Allyson, JC disappeared behind Allyson’s bedroom door.


Allyson was busy preparing notes for her Tuesday night class when JC reentered the living room. He went straight to the couch and fell into it, letting out a groan that sounded more relieved than it had before.

“So, what’s the verdict?” she asked.

“They liked the idea,” he said, turning his head to look over at her. “Ugh, thank God we have a plan now.”

“And it’s a good plan.”

“Yeah. Let’s hope it works.”


“So, that’s not the reason I came to D.C.,” JC said after a few minutes of decompressing. “I did not schedule in extra days to do damage control and sit on your couch. What else did you have in mind for us to do?”

“Well, I know you already looked around the National Mall when you were here in the fall, but are there any monuments you didn’t see or that you want to go back to?”

Thinking, he ultimately shook his head. “No, I think I got to all of them.”

“OK, well then there’s National Geographic. They have a Titanic exhibit that just opened a couple weeks ago.”

“Let’s do it. That sounds interesting.”


Allyson changed into a comfortable pair of jeans and a light pink Hollister polo shirt with her worn pair of tan Sperry’s. Their first stop was JC’s, so he could change his clothes also that still had a faint zoo smell to them.

Promising to only be a few minutes, JC went upstairs as Allyson offered to wait in the lobby. The last thing they needed was for someone to see the two of them getting into an elevator together at JC’s hotel.

A little more than five minutes later, JC stepped out of the elevator, in a pair of large-cuffed jeans and a graphic tee featuring Linus from the Peanuts comics, proclaiming “Happiness is a sad song.”

“You ready?” he asked, stepping up beside the chair Allyson had chosen.

“Yep, sad songwriter,” she said with a laugh.

 

“You’d be surprised how accurate this is.” He smiled pulling at his shirt.

 

Chapter 13 by TurtlenecksAndTea

The pair spent hours at the National Geographic Museum looking at models of the Titanic and computer graphic simulations, reading some of the transcripts of the SOS calls and watching videos of the many explorations to the wreckage. Before hitting the gift shop, a scale model of the bow of the ship – where Rose and Jack stand in the movie – was set up for photo ops.

After they both took their individual photos on the stage, JC said, “Come on. Didn’t every girl imagine they could be Rose and fall in love with Leo? You have to do the Rose pose.”

They both laughed at the accuracy.

“Yes, but you’re not Leo.”

“No, but I am a Leo. Besides, don’t I get to pretend also?”

“Fine. Come on!” she said with a smile.

“Would you mind taking our picture?” he asked the volunteer in a black National Geographic polo shirt.

They stood on the platform, arms extended pretending to be Rose and Jack.

“Where’s Celine Dion when you need her?” JC asked with a chuckle as he took back his phone, thanking the volunteer. “Thank you for indulging me,” he told Allyson. “I like to play tourist when I visit places.”

“I know. And honestly I’m glad you convinced me to do that. I’d have probably regretted it as soon as we left.”

By the time they finished searching in the gift shop that had everything from books to jackets to gifts, it was about time to grab an early dinner before Allyson had to go to her night class.


After a nice, quiet dinner at Logan Tavern, JC and Allyson headed back to Tenleytown to finish chatting before she had to go to her class. It was the end of their last day together before JC went back to LA. He promised his friend, the GWU professor, that he would spend Wednesday visiting before his flight that night. The arrangement was one Allyson quickly agreed to.

On their way, JC sent a quick text to Lance: You win. Complicated.

Lance’s quick reply was simply: :)


JC and Allyson chatted about anything and everything, and as their day together neared its end, JC said, “Thank you, again, for helping me sort things out with this whole Us Weekly thing.” He just shook his head as they stood at the island in Allyson’s kitchen. “I can’t believe I let that happen.”

“It’s OK,” she said, reaching her arm up to touch his shoulder and gently rub his back near his right shoulder blade. “We all make mistakes. And besides, it sounds like you’ve got a good plan.”

“Yeah. Well, I wish I hadn’t wasted half the day trying to come up with it.”

“Don’t worry about it. I had a really good time yesterday and today,” she said with a smile as she took her hand back. “I’m glad you decided to make a trip down here to visit.”

“I had to see my favorite barista,” he said, smiling at her.

Without warning, JC slowly, hesitantly moved his head closer to Allyson’s.

WHAT IS HAPPENING??? Allyson’s head started screaming as her mind caught up with reality. The next thing she knew JC’s lips were on hers, softly yet firmly.

She let her eyes close and take in the moment as she pressed her lips against his.


After a few seconds the kiss came to an end and the two looked at each other, neither really wanting to ask the other how they felt.

“So, um,” JC started, after an awkward pause. He scratched the back of his neck, but couldn’t finish his thought.

“Yeah,” Allyson said. “Thanks.”

Thanks? she thought. JC Chasez just kissed you, and you say thanks? What are you? Stupid??

“Yeah.” A few moments of tension-filled silence passed before JC spoke again. “Can I ask you something, and you’ll be 100% honest?”

“Sure,” Allyson said, breaking out of the daze she had been in trying to reconcile her feelings about the reality of what happened.

“What did you feel just now?”

Her eyes focused on JC. “You want me to be absolutely honest?”

“As honest as you can be.”

“It felt weird,” she said. “I mean I’ve dreamt of that happening since I was in high school, but I don’t know, the fireworks I always expected to be there weren’t. I can’t explain it.” 

“No, I know exactly what you mean. That’s why I asked. It felt just what it was, a kiss between friends. Nothing romantic behind it.”

“Yes! Exactly. There wasn’t any romantic love there.”

“Well, do you want to try again and see if it’s different?”

“I’m willing to try anything twice,” Allyson joked timidly. She wasn’t nervous the first time because she didn’t see it coming. Now, she was nervous.

JC took his hand and cupped Allyson’s cheek, bringing her face closer to his until their lips made contact again, both closing their eyes. This time, JC opened his lips on hers and Allyson responded accordingly.

Pulling away, JC looked at Allyson as she opened her eyes again. “Anything?”

She gave him a half smile and shook her head. “No. The butterflies in my stomach certainly think there should be. But no.”

“Me either. So. Friends it is?” He held out his hand.

“Friends,” she said, shaking his hand.


They gave each other a long hug at the door, enjoying every second of it. JC left to go to his hotel as Allyson picked up her bag to go to campus.

“Now that I feel. Your hugs are so comfortable,” she said as she lifted her head from his chest.

“That I can agree with you on,” he said, as he kissed the top of her head. “I’ll text you later.”

 

She just smiled back.

 

Chapter 14 by TurtlenecksAndTea

Wednesday morning, at the request of Shannon, Allyson got to work a few minutes early.

“What the hell is this?!” Shannon ambushed Allyson, holding up a copy of Us Weekly.

“I know,” Allyson said. “You should’ve seen how upset he was.”

“How upset he was? I’m pissed! How could he do this to you?”

“Do what to me?” Allyson asked confused.

“He’s off getting it on with this chick, when he should be with you.”

“He’s not supposed to be with me. We’re just friends.”

“Will you stop lying to yourself,” Shannon said angrily. It was the angriest Allyson had seen Shannon in a long time.

Allyson did her best to stay calm, but she was a little put off by the way Shannon seemed to be attacking her. “I’m not. We kissed yesterday before he left, and we agreed there’s nothing there.”

“Bull shit!” Shannon said still in a rage before comprehending what Allyson had just said. “Wait, you what?”

Allyson chuckled. “Last night, before he left and I went to class, he kissed me. It was a sweet kiss – yes, on the lips before you ask – but neither of us felt that ‘spark’ you’re supposed to feel. Believe me, I wanted it to be there. I’ve had a crush on that man since I was a teenager,” Allyson said sitting down on the chair in the makeshift employee lounge.

“Why isn’t there a spark there?’ Shannon asked, transitioning from enraged friend to comforting friend.

“I don’t know. I mean we had a great time when he was here, and it felt flirty and sweet, but when we kissed, that magic you would expect and that I always hoped would be there just, wasn’t there.”

“OK take me through this. Where was the kiss? What happened? Did he initiate?”

“OK, so we had gotten back to my place after going to the Nat Geo museum – you know they have that new Titanic exhibit – and getting dinner, but the first half the day was spent figuring out a damage control plan for this,” she said, gesturing to the magazine sitting on the table. “So we got back to my place, and he was thanking me for helping him with his plan and, I think, just being there for him. I thanked him for making a special trip to visit me, and then next thing I know he’s kissing me.”

Shannon was intently listening, nodding along, encouraging Allyson to continue.

“And it was just kind of awkward,” she said.

“All first kisses are!” Shannon interjected.

“No, it wasn’t first kiss awkward. It was like two friends kissing, and it just didn’t feel right. There was no romantic feeling, and he said the same thing. We tried again, more intentional this time. I mean, it was the perfect movie kiss.”

“Wait, so he kissed you twice?”

“Yes,” Allyson grinned. “And the second time, even with the look of being more romantic still didn’t have that spark. It’s like we’ve become too good of friends or something. I don’t know.”

“And so that’s it?”

“That’s it. We left it as friends, right where we were before.”

“And are you OK with that?”

“I have to be. I mean, I want there to be something there, but I can’t force it. It just wasn’t there. I don’t know how to make myself feel something that’s not there.”


Across the Potomac, JC met with his childhood friend Charles Bratson, before going back to LA later that night.

“Hey, man! It’s been a while,” JC said, embracing his friend. “Thanks again for letting me stay at your place in the fall. It’s amazing! I wish my place looked like that.”

“Sure thing. And don’t be fooled – that’s all Jennifer’s touch.”

“How’s she doing?”

“Good. She’s living her best marine biologist life with the sea turtles in the Galapagos. Her research residency ends in June, so she should be home by the Fourth.”

“How many research trips does she do?”

“This will be her last one for a while. At least as far as a residency. When she gets home, we’re going to start talking a little more seriously about starting our family.”

“That’s great, man! Charlie, the dad,” JC smiled. “I’m happy for you.”

“Thanks, Josh. I appreciate that. So what made you come back to D.C.?” Charles asked.

“Well, I was in New York last week for this charity record we’re doing, and, well, remember that girl I was telling you about from the coffee shop?”

“Oh yeah! And to think, I thought you came to see me,” Charles said with a laugh as he connected the dots.

“Hey man! You know I’d make a trip to see you too! Bowie bros for life!” JC chuckled. “But, yeah, I mean, Allyson and I have just become really tight, really quickly. She’s like, you know, that comfortable place. She put up with me going off about this whole Us Weekly thing and helped me come up with a plan.”

“What Us Weekly thing?”

JC gave Charles the Cliffnotes version of Erin and the fallout of Saturday.

 “I know,” JC said as Charles sat back gobsmacked by the story. “Charlie, I’m not kidding, I have not been that angry in years! It’s everything I fear when I’m with anyone.”

“Do you fear it with her?”

“With Allyson? Not at all.”

“So why did you sound hesitant just now talking about her in the context of the plan?”

“I think I messed things up,” JC said, sitting back in his chair. “We had a great time while I was here. We went to the zoo and then after figuring out this mess, we went to the National Geographic Museum.”

“So a couple dates,” Charles interrupted.

“I don’t know that I’d classify them as dates, but sure,” JC said for simplicity. “I like her, and I got caught up in everything and kissed her.”

Charles gave his friend a look silently asking where the problem was.

“We’ve developed a really great friendship, and I think I pushed it too far. She said she didn’t feel that spark. It was weird, like it felt like the best kiss, but there was zero romance in it. But I’d be lying if I didn’t wish there was something there. She’s sweet and kind, but she keeps me in check too. And she’s just fun.”

“You can’t force it,” Charles said, JC just nodded in agreement. “Josh, believe me, you cannot force something like that. If it becomes something, let it, but do not force it. I learned that the hard way.”

“I know. I know. I just hope nothing changes to our friendship. She’s become a really steady presence for me. I need that.”

“If she’s meant to be in your life, she will be,” Charles said seriously. “And it sounds like she’s really good for you to have in your life.”

“Yeah,” he said with a smile. Wanting to get away from how deep the conversation was getting, JC deflected the attention off him. “So, anyway, tell me more about life with the Bratsons.”

 

They spent the rest of the afternoon catching up, revisiting old memories from growing up in Bowie together and changes to their hometown before JC had to leave for Reagan for his evening flight.


Chapter 15 by TurtlenecksAndTea

After being home for a few days, JC got an email from his manager. The photos were ready to review, and they were developing a promotional tour schedule in multiple major markets, splitting the work among the featured artists.

Carrie and Tim would take Nashville and St. Louis. Ne-Yo and John Legend were going to handle Atlanta and Los Angeles based on their schedules. Pat Monahan was going to run through the Chicago circuit. Fergie was beginning her tour, so she was going to be doing interviews at a few of her tour stops throughout the country. Beyoncé was given the Texas tour with her ties to Houston, so she would be going to Dallas, Austin, Houston and hop over to New Orleans for a weekend. JC then would fly out and take the New York appearances.

JC’s plan of giving an autograph in exchange for a CD purchase and a copy of Us Weekly to recycle was up on MySpace and Facebook while everyone was talking about it, and word was spreading quickly.


A few weeks later as mid-April approached, JC was preparing for his round of the promotion tour to begin, and the label put out a reminder about the offer, specifying it was only valid at the locations where JC would be appearing and that he would only be signing the CD single, no other merchandise.


JC set up at Virgin Megastore in Union Square. It was not the madhouse that he had experienced with *NSYNC, but there was a nice sized crowd. They knew this particular stop would be one of the most popular due to its location and that it was on a weekend.

For about three hours, JC greeted people, shook hands and signed autographs. Then, someone caught his eye in the far corner of the room: Erin. He felt his hands getting sweaty as he quickly motioned for Eric and whispered in his ear.

Signing the last autograph, they guessed they sold about 250 more CDs than they anticipated, much of that thanks to the promotion push. As JC gathered his belongings and thanked everyone at the store who helped put on the event, he was mentally preparing himself for his first time seeing Erin since lying next to her on his hotel bed.

“We need to talk,” he said sternly, looking down at her squarely in the eyes. He had told Eric to keep Erin there, by whatever means possible. Luckily she did not shy away from confrontation.

Erin knew it was a mistake to go to the signing, but she wanted to see him again.

“Look, I know you’re probably mad at me,” she said, sitting down on a bench in the nearby park.

“Damn right I’m mad,” he said, his jaw clenched tightly. “I know it was just a one-night stand, but that was known from the start. When I called you and invited you to my room, I trusted you. Stupid me to think I could. When I woke up the next morning and saw you had already left, I thought it was a nice change to end it without having to have the conversation about what it was.”

“I know,” Erin said, her head sinking a little. “I normally wouldn’t do something like that, but I was talking to a friend afterward, and, well, I’m trying to establish myself as a celebrity stylist, so she suggested I take the story of our night to a tabloid to try to get my name out there. Plus, the money they were willing to pay for it helped too.”

“Do you expect me to have sympathy for you? You used me to try to get your 15 minutes of fame.”

“Isn’t that what this industry is all about?” she asked. “But it didn’t even work. Arthur fired me, and celebrity agents aren’t taking my calls.”

“Yeah because you’ve shown them they can’t trust you. This might be a tough business to be in, but you still have to have people’s respect. We shared a great night, and it could have been just that, but you had to go try to use it to cheat your way up.” He just shook his head. “I don’t have anything else to say to you. Are we done here?”

Erin looked down ashamed and nodded her head. She knew he was right. JC left, leaving Erin sitting alone on the park bench.


Not 30 seconds after leaving the bench, JC whipped out his phone, pulling up Allyson’s contact.

“Hey! How did the signing go? Did the promo work?” she asked as soon as she picked up.

“Yeah it did,” JC felt a smile creep onto his face just from hearing her voice. “About 250 more than projected and my hand has a nice cramp in it.”

“Oh good!”

“But you’ll never guess who showed her face.”

“Oh no.”

“Oh yes. I don’t know how I kept it together. I saw her in the corner while I was signing, and I had Eric do whatever he needed to do basically to keep her there until I could talk to her. I was not about to call her, but if she’s going to show up, she’s going to hear what I have to say.”

“And? Did you talk to her?”

“Yeah, and she got an earful. I hope that’s the end of it. And I’m glad to say she didn’t see the response she hoped from the story. She wanted her 15 minutes, but she got fired instead and essentially blacklisted. You reap what you sow.”

“You’re right. Well, and are you OK?”

“Yeah, I will be. I’m still pretty riled up, but I’m glad she heard me. And it does help a little to know at least she’s not getting a TV show or something from it,” he said with a laugh.

“Yeah, yeah. Well, I have the next few days off work. I can come up to New York if you want. You can show me the Big Apple.”

“I’ll gladly take the company if you want to spend your days off here. I do prefer you to Eric,” he chuckled.

“Oh I’m moving up the ladder,” Allyson joked.

“No, you passed Eric when you helped me figure out this plan,” he said, hearing commotion in the background on the other end of the line. “I’m sorry, I’ll let you get back to things. But let me know if you want to come up, and I’ll get you a ticket. Just let me know your schedule.”

“You don’t need to do that.”

“I am not going to let you waste your money on me. I have the ability. Just look at the schedule and let me know when you want to leave, and I’ll make the arrangements.”

 

“OK,” Allyson laughed.


Chapter 16 by TurtlenecksAndTea
Author's Notes:

What's in a name?

With her previously scheduled days off confirmed, Allyson texted JC her preferred schedule, and within 15 minutes she got a text from JC telling her when to arrive and to claim her tickets at the window at Union Station.


Between promotion stops, JC played tour guide, showing Allyson some of his favorite sites. Her first day in the city, JC met her at Grand Central Station after his morning promo stop and they started off strong with a visit to the Museum of Natural History and a stop at one of Allyson’s bucket list restaurants, Serendipity.


Following dinner, they were in JC’s room talking and decided to end the night with a movie. Settled onto the couch in JC’s hotel room, he purchased “Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End” off the TV. They had both seen it when it was in theaters last year, so they could watch and continue talking without fear of missing anything.


About two-thirds of the way through, JC looked over to see Allyson slumped over to the side, sound asleep. He glanced at the clock, it was 11:30. He shook his head and laughed softly. 

Quietly, he turned off the TV, looking over again to see if Allyson woke up to the change in noise. Ensuring she was still asleep, he picked her feet up, placed them up on the couch where he had been sitting and moved a pillow under her head. He went to grab the blanket from the bed and covered Allyson gently.


The next morning, Allyson woke up on the couch, startled. JC was fixing his hair in the mirror when he heard her sit up quickly.

“Morning sleepy head,” he said with a smile. “You fell asleep during the movie, so I just got you a pillow and a blanket and let you sleep.”

“Oh,” Allyson said, relaxing. “Sorry about that, but thank you for letting me crash here. I guess you didn’t have to get that extra room.”

They shared a laugh after a split-second awkward silence. “It’s OK,” JC said. “You were out cold.”

Stretching her arms up over her head, Allyson asked about JC’s promo schedule.

“My stop today is at noon, so I’ll leave in about an hour to head over. It’s over in Brooklyn. And then, do you want to see the Statue of Liberty or the Empire State Building?”

“Oh! I’ve always wanted to go to the top of the Empire State Building.”

“OK, then, that’s what we’ll do and we’ll have to do Tavern on the Green. It’s one of my favorite places here.”

“Works for me.”


For the next few hours, Allyson explored Times Square, while JC visited with fans in Brooklyn. With a bag of trinkets and an order of Carnegie Deli blintzes, she headed back to the hotel to get ready for the day’s adventure.


Half hour? JC texted Allyson on his way back to Manhattan from the signing.

Sure. Im back at the hotel, she sent back. It was about 3 now.

JC went to his room for a quick breather before going down the hall to Allyson’s room.

“Ready?” he asked as she answered the door.

“Yeah, let me put on my shoes. Come on in.”


After making a few stops along the way for some photos, the pair arrived at the Empire State Building, Allyson gawking at the impressive sight.

“Wow. This view is incredible!” she said as they reached the top observation deck of the building.

“It’s like you forget you’re in the middle of one of the busiest cities in the world when you’re up here,” JC said.

“Yeah, it’s calm.” 


They spent quite a while on the observation deck as JC pointed out different landmarks and spots around the city. It was a clear day, so the view stretched across state lines even. Then, they made their way to Central Park and Tavern on the Green for an early dinner.

“So you haven’t been to New York since you were a kid, even though you were this close?” JC asked.

“No,” Allyson said with a shrug. “New York always seemed so daunting. Any trips we took were to Philadelphia, Delaware or, on longer trips, south to North Carolina or Florida.”

He nodded.

“Not all of us can be pop superstars and travel the country,” she said with a smirk.

“Touché,” he smiled, dropping his head and nodding a little. “That is one thing I am very grateful to have gotten to experience with all this.”

“So thank you for being my tour guide and imparting that knowledge.”

“Absolutely. And I can tell you everything is good here,” JC said, gesturing to the menu. “Lance and I always come here when I’m in town. I would have invited him to meet us, but he’s off doing some appearance or whatnot.”

Continuing to meander through conversation topics, Allyson gave JC an update on the coffee shop and Shannon, while JC elaborated on everything going on with the promo tour, including Erin.

“So she really just showed up and expected nothing to happen?”

“I guess so. She didn’t approach the table, and I think my reaction surprised her.”

“I don’t know why. I would’ve made a scene there at the promo event,” Allyson said.

JC gave her a look. “No you wouldn’t have, but I appreciate the claim.”

“Yeah, OK, I wouldn’t have, but based on what you told me, I think you handled yourself very well.”

“Well, thank you.”


JC looked at his watch to see it was now nearly 6. “By the way, you said you wanted to experience New York, right? How about a Broadway show tonight before you leave tomorrow afternoon?”

“Yeah! Oh that’d be great! I’ve never seen a true show on Broadway.”

“Oh, well, then we definitely have to.”

Grabbing a brochure with the recently opened Broadway shows listed, JC said, “Ah, this is a good one. You’ll get to understand a true New York story – and it won the Grammy for best musical show album. In the Heights. It’s new, just opened last month.”

“Sounds good. I trust you.”

“OK,” he smiled, happy hearing her say she trusted him. “Then, let me call the box office and see what they have for tonight, and then we’ll go back to the hotel, change and get over to the theater. And tomorrow we’ll check off a few more items on your to-see list.”

“Sounds like a plan. I’ll follow you,” she said as JC handed the signed check to the waiter.


The show did not disappoint, and the music was as good as JC had been told. A few months later, in June, he would not be surprised to see it win best musical at the Tony Awards. It was the perfect introduction to Broadway for Allyson.


JC delivered Allyson to her room saying goodnight at the door as he walked down to his own room. He set his alarm for 9 a.m. the next morning, so he and Allyson could get breakfast and see a few things before she left that afternoon to go back to D.C.


“Thank you for coming up here,” JC said, holding up his cup of coffee to cheers with Allyson. “It was a nice distraction from, you know, what could have been a really awful time.”

“Well, I had the time off, and, y’know, this nice guy offered to pay my way.”

She smirked at him, as he chuckled. “Sounds like a really nice guy,” he said.

“He is a good guy – even better friend.”

JC smiled with his mouth closed nodding his head. Even better friend, he thought.

They didn’t talk about the kiss once while Allyson was in New York, and both had made the same promise to themselves that they would not bring it up. So far it hadn’t changed their relationship, and they wanted to keep it that way.

“While we’re on the topic of friends. Why do you call me JC instead of Josh?”

Allyson was surprised by the question. “Umm… Well, because that’s your name.” She was playing dumb a little; she knew full well only a select few were close enough to call him Josh or C, and she never wanted to assume they were close enough for her to be part of that group.

He let out a soft laugh. “That’s what the public calls me. My inner circle calls me Josh.”

“Wait, so does that mean I’m part of your inner circle?”

“Of course! I asked you to join me in New York didn’t I?”

Allyson laughed a little. “Yeah, you did.”

“So you can call me Josh if you want to.”

Allyson’s smile took over her face. She knew what a privilege she’d just received. “Well, then I guess you can call me Allie. If you want, that is. I mean my family and Shannon are basically the only people who call me that, but I guess that is my inner circle.”

“Well, OK, Allie,” he said with a cute smile, “then let’s finish up here, so we can get you to a few more places and then to your train.”

“OK, Josh,” she said with the smile still plastered to her face.

 

Chapter 17 by TurtlenecksAndTea

Following breakfast, Allyson packed the last of her things and left them in JC’s room while they did some last-minute exploring. JC had finished his promo assignments, so he accompanied Allyson to the station where her train back to reality was waiting.

When they arrived, he hopped out quickly to help Allyson with her bags and to give her a tight hug.

“Thank you, again,” he whispered in her ear. “You saved this whole trip and made it so much better.” He kissed her on the cheek, and Allyson just hugged him closer.

“I’ll text you later,” she said as they released each other.


Back in DC, she texted JC as she dropped her bags on her bedroom floor. It was just about 9. Thank you for inviting me to visit.

You were the highlight of this promo :), he texted back about half an hour later. It was almost as if he couldn’t help but be a little flirty with her.


JC returned to Los Angeles the following day and had no plans of leaving California for work any time soon. As the months continued, JC and Allyson’s texts and calls began to fall back into their usual routine.

Neither of them had especially exciting news to share, besides milestones for the charity record from JC – within a couple weeks it was officially double-platinum – and funny coffee shop stories from Allyson. JC’s “scandal” had been eclipsed quickly by Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon engagement rumors, so the topic didn’t come up again, for which JC was grateful.


     After months of the same routine, one fall day, Allyson, upset over an assignment, texted JC, Im done with school.

Five minutes later, JC’s picture of him making a funny face at the zoo popped up on Allyson’s phone screen.

“What’s going on, Allie?”

“Sorry, I didn’t mean for you to stop everything and call. I’m just frustrated. I bombed that economics project I’ve been working on for the last few weeks. You know, the one I was telling you about?”

“Mhmm.”

“How am I supposed to try to be a businesswoman if I can’t get economics? It’s as basic as business gets.”

“Hey, hey,” starting to talk her off the metaphoric ledge. “One bad assignment isn’t reason to quit. Remember the end goal. And you don’t need to try to be a business woman. You will be a business woman and you’ll be a great one. You’ll be great at anything you choose to do next. I know you will.”

Allyson huffed a little on the other end of the line. “Thanks. One more year.”

“There will be other grades. Maybe this assignment wasn’t for you. And a grade on an assignment means nothing in the real world. Nothing in a classroom, no matter how good the classroom, can compare to real world results. I mean shoot, I only entered my first talent show on a dare. Now, my career is music.”

“Yeah but you won that talent show.”

“As a dancer, not a singer.”

JC couldn’t see, but Allyson was nodding her head. She understood his point. “OK.”

“Don’t give up on this.”

“I won’t.” He could hear the slight smile in her voice. “Thanks, Josh.”

“Hey, what are friends for?” he said as he started singing “You’ve Got a Friend in Me” in an exaggerated way that still sounded better than most polished songs.

 


Later in the fall, early October, JC left for a two-week trip to London to visit friends, leaving him with just Facebook chat to avoid international charges on his phone. But when Allyson went to find his page, it was gone.

“What the hell?” she asked to the air in her empty room. After hitting refresh a few times and typing in the page again, same result. Just nothing.


It’s not like we’re together, she thought. It’s fine. He’s allowed to delete his page if he wants, she continued telling herself. “I just wish he’d told me,” she said as her inner monologue worked its way out of her mouth again.

As much as she told herself to not think about it and remind herself that they were just friends and nothing more, it didn’t upset her any less. She had gotten accustomed to seeing his name appear on her phone or computer with a call, text or Facebook message. Now that connection felt severed with him thousands of miles away and his phone turned off.


“Why do I feel this way?” she asked Shannon after a couple days of his page not reappearing.

“Because you love him,” Shannon asked without hesitation.

“Stop it. I’m serious. Why is it affecting me this much?”

“Are you seriously asking me that? Y’all talk almost as much as you and I do. It was comfortable. It was normal. Now that’s been disrupted.”

Allyson’s eyebrows arched up in realization as she nodded her head. “Yeah, I guess you’re right. Are you sure you don’t want to go into psychology?”

“No thanks, but I might start charging you,” Shannon smirked. “The relationship advice I’ll give for free. Just admit that you love him.” Allyson gave her a look that made Shannon chuckle. “OK fine, I’ll stop for now. But for real, I’m sure it’s an international thing. Just don’t jump to conclusions until he gets back.”

“OK. I just don’t want to lose a friend.”

“I don’t think you are,” Shannon said with a reassuring smile. “Come on, lunch rush is about to start. And they all want pumpkin spice something. What is it with that?”

Allyson just laughed and shrugged her shoulders.


The next two weeks were some of the longest Allyson had experienced.

Then, almost as soon as the wheels of JC’s plane touched down on U.S. land, Allyson’s Facebook began pinging.


Hey, I’m going to be gone for a couple weeks, remember.

I’ll be back mid-October

I don’t think I’ll have steady internet where I’m going, but if I do I’ll check in. Ttyl


Allyson let out a long breath. There he was, motorcycle helmet and all.

It is good to see your face, she typed back. I couldn’t find your profile and thought you’d deleted your account.


Yeah, I sent those with bad connection, so I guess they didn’t go through. Then something happened to my settings when I had to flip my computer to UK internet. I’ve been getting messages left and right I missed from the last couple week. Sorry.


It’s OK. Glad to have my friend back. Chat later?

You got it.


Very quickly, the two got back into their routine again.

After the holidays, Allyson continued in school – much happier with her performance in her classes now – and in the shop, while JC continued working in the studio and traveled to New York again for Justin’s William Rast fashion show and attending various East Coast and West Coast red carpet events he was invited to.


Exciting news! Allyson sent JC. By now it was early spring 2009.

Im done in 30. Call then?

OK.


Almost exactly 30 minutes later, Allyson’s phone started buzzing on the kitchen table.

“Hey! What’s the big news?” JC asked.

“I’m coming to LA!” Allyson nearly screamed into the phone.

“Ah coming to my neck of the woods. Nice! When’s the trip?”

“July. My friend from high school lives out there now and invited me out, so I’ll be staying for a few days.”

“Oh sweet! It is nice here for summer break.”

“Well that’s the other exciting news,” Allyson said with a slight tease in her voice

“There’s more?”

“Mhmm. I talked with my adviser yesterday, and I’ll only have two things to complete after this semester, so they’re letting me finish them in May and June, so by June 30, I’ll be a master of business!”

“Oh, Allie! That’s fantastic! So we’ll be celebrating double when you’re here right?”

“If you want,” she said laughing.

“Yes, I want! You deserve it. I’ll show you – and your friend if she wants – all the best spots!”

“That sounds good to me! Wait, did you say celebrating double? What else is going on?”

“Yeah! We can’t forget your birthday.”

Allyson just smiled. She couldn’t believe he remembered her birthday. She hadn’t brought it up recently.

“If you insist,” she said.

“Oh I do! You only turn 30 once.”

 

“I can’t argue with that.”

 

Chapter 18 by TurtlenecksAndTea

There was little excitement for the next month. JC was working on new music, but he wasn’t sure if it would lead to anything, and he certainly wasn’t ready to share it with anyone, not even Allyson. On the other side of the country, Allyson put her nose to the grindstone as she worked to stay on track to graduate in June.


Then, in early May, after getting home from the second-to-last week of class of the spring semester, Allyson listened to a new voice message; it was from JC, and he sounded excited about something. “Hey, give me a call when you get a sec. Nothing urgent. I just want your thoughts.”

Allyson looked at her watch. It was 9:30, which meant it was 6:30 in California. Going into her contacts, Allyson pulled up JC’s name and pressed call.

“Hey! You’ve got good timing,” JC picked up on the second ring.

“Glad to hear it,” Allyson said in response, unsure if he was being sarcastic.

“We literally just finished tweaking something. So this music I’ve been working on – you know, the untitled project?” he asked.

“Mhmm,” she said into the phone as she sat down on her bed, confirming she was following.

“This is the latest song we were working on. I want your opinion. I need fresh ears.”

Allyson’s smile took over her entire face, it was so big. “OK!” she said excitedly. This was the first time JC had ever asked her opinion on anything that was still in the works.

“Now, remember this is a rough demo.”

“Got it.”

“OK,” JC said, as he punched the buttons in front of him to play the song.


When you need someone,

When it’s all gone wrong,

You’ll see that

I will be there for you always.

When the lights go out,

And the world breaks, 

And your heart aches,

I will be there for you always

All of the days, always.


Turn around

You feel like it’s all gonna change

It’s written on your face

But girl don’t be afraid


Let’s talk about us

And the promises we made

How they still mean the same

The questions in your heart can’t be erased


You say I won’t come home

And that I’m leaving you alone, I know

But you’ll always be with me wherever I go

Close your eyes, 

Hear what my voice says,

It all comes down to making choices.


When you need someone,

When it’s all gone wrong,

You’ll see that

I will be there for you always.

When the lights go out,

And the world breaks, 

And your heart aches,

I will be there for you always

All of the days, always.


A music break took over before the song slowly faded out.


“That’s what we’ve got so far,” JC said as he placed the phone back up to his ear. “I wanted to go ahead and get it into a demo format, so I can work on it from there. What do you think? And be honest.”

“Honestly, I think it sounds absolutely amazing!” Allyson said, her grin literally stretching from one ear to the other. “I know you couldn’t see me, but my head was bobbing along the entire time. The music is great, and, Josh, you sound a-mazing!”

She couldn’t see JC blush on the other end. “Well, thanks. It’s something I’ve been working on for a little while now and just decided to pick it back up again and actually lay down some vocals. So you think it’s worth continuing?”

“Uh, yeah!!” Allyson said. “That’s 10 times better than just about anything else on the radio right now, and your voice is better than ’em all too!”

She heard an embarrassed chuckle come from JC on the other side of the phone. “OK then, I’ll keep plugging along at it. Thanks.”

“So does this mean you’re working on a new record?” Allyson asked, knowing she was pressing her luck.

“We’ll see.” He didn’t want to admit it, but this was the most hopeful he’d felt about a record in years. Now his response was less stock and more something he was excited to see what the future held. “So, how’s the studying coming?”

“Not too bad, actually,” she said, shifting positions on her bed. “I feel pretty confident in just about every class, and as long as I can get a B or better in each of my classes this semester, which I should, I’ll be golden for the summer.”

“That’s great! I’ll let you get back to it. Thanks for the feedback. Maybe by the time you get out here to LA, I’ll have a full song for you to hear.”

“I’d like that,” Allyson said. “You can make it my birthday gift.”

JC let out a short deep laugh. “I’ll see what I can do.”

She laughed along with him. “OK, talk to you later, Josh.”

 

JC looked over the recordings in front of him. He placed the CD he just played into a case labeled “Pre-LA.”

 

Chapter 19 by TurtlenecksAndTea

“HAPPY GRADUATION DAY!” JC practically yelled into the phone as he called Allyson the morning of June 27. He had the date circled on his calendar. “Proud of you, honey.”

Allyson giggled, “Thank you, Josh.”

“So who all’s there to celebrate with you?”

“Mom and dad, Shannon, a few friends from school. Pretty low key.”

“Sounds like fun. Sorry I can’t be there.”

“Shannon’s sad you can’t be here too,” Allyson said with a smirk as she winked at Shannon.

“Ha, I’m sure she is!”

“I am too, but I’m excited to celebrate in LA. You’re gonna spoil me for any future LA trips I think.”

“I’ll make sure you do it right the first time.” 

“Sounds like a plan. Well, hey, I better get dressed. We have to be at the auditorium in a couple hours.”

“Yeah, yeah, go do your thing.”


The college was having a small reception for the summer graduates and their families because summer graduates did not get their own official graduation ceremony. All the summer graduates were invited back for the fall commencement in December.


Allyson took full advantage of not having to worry about school, spending her time looking at things she wanted to do in Los Angeles and hanging out with Shannon again outside of work, something she’d missed as she cracked down on school work.

“So what’s the plan for LA?” Shannon asked as they grabbed brunch Fourth of July weekend before Allyson was due to leave for California later that week.

“I get in late afternoon on Thursday, so Liz is going to pick me up from the airport, and then I’ll get settled in at her place.”

“And then you’re seeing JC?”

Allyson dropped her head and shook it laughing. “Yes,” she looked back up at Shannon, “then I’m seeing Josh. We’re going to grab dinner with him on Friday.”

“I love that you call him Josh,” Shannon said with a megawatt smile.

“Me too!” Allyson said with a giddy tone.

“So any third attempts at a kiss?” Shannon asked with a mischievous smile.

“Shut up!” Allyson snapped back as she topped off their mimosas from the carafe on the table.

“Well, that wasn’t a no.”

“It wasn’t a yes either. I’m not going to jeopardize a really good friendship because I wished for him to be my boyfriend growing up.”

“Fine, but promise me you won’t actively avoid it.”

“I promise. If anything changes in LA, you’ll be my first call. How’s that?”

“I can live with that,” Shannon smiled. “Allyson Chasez. Allie Chasez. It just has a nice ring to it, you know?”

Allyson couldn’t help but giggle. She’d written those exact names on so many high school notebooks. “You’re too much sometimes.”

“But you love me anyways,” Shannon said, taking a bite of her toast.

“Ha! I do. You’re my Shanny Dawg!”

“Oh God! I thought we were done using that awful nickname.”

“I won’t ever let you forget that one!”

“Damn that week of training. Why did he insist on giving us ‘funny’ nicknames? They weren’t funny to anyone but him.”

Allyson laughed. “I don’t know. Don’t worry I don’t use that around anyone else.”

“Good. Let’s keep it that way. What was yours again?”

“Ally Sauce.”

“Oh right! That’s not bad.”

“No, it wasn’t that bad. Yours was one of the worst because beyond the name, he decided to spell it D-A-W-G like it was 1995.”

 

Shannon just nodded in agreement and quietly clapped her hands. “OK, next topic. I need you to find me a real Tiffany’s heart necklace. I will write you a check for whatever it costs. It is the one thing I will splurge on to have that necklace from Rodeo Drive.”


Chapter 20 by TurtlenecksAndTea
Author's Notes:

Off to La La Land!

West Coast bound! Allyson texted to JC and then to Liz, one of her best friends from childhood who had moved to Los Angeles to go to UCLA and then landed a job at Disney Animation as a computer graphics engineer. She had the coolest job that she couldn’t tell anyone details about until they saw the finished product on the big screen.


As Allyson’s plane touched down, Liz was already en route to Hollywood Burbank Airport, a change Liz suggested to avoid the chaos of LAX. Before turning the car off, Liz made sure her mix CD for the summer was ready to go, starting off with Tupac’s “California Love.” She couldn’t think of a better way to welcome Allyson to the City of Angels. With it prepped, Liz headed toward baggage claim to wait for her friend.


“Allie! Oh my gosh! I can’t believe you’re finally here!” Liz jumped off the bench to hug Allyson.

“I know! It’s only taken me five years to get out here.”

“Well, it’s not because you haven’t been invited,” Liz said, giving her a side-eyed glance.

“I know, I know. I’m sorry. You know I wanted to be here sooner.”

“Yep! And you made it, which is all that matters.”

Just then, the alarm on the carousel began blaring, alerting the travelers that bags would soon be coming around.

With a swift yank, Allyson pulled her large hard-sided suitcase off the belt.

“Wow, and I thought I packed a lot,” Liz said.

“Well, I’ll be here a week-plus, and I had to have options. I have to keep up with you LA people,” she laughed.

“Yeah, OK,” Liz joined her laughter. “Come on, so I can show you the life of luxury we all live.”


About 45 minutes later, the pair pulled into Liz’s driveway in Pasadena to let Allyson get settled in and freshen up before going out for dinner. First night’s dinner was not exactly five-star but it was quintessential California: In-N-Out.


“Oh my gosh, this is amazing! The sauce is so good!” Allyson said between bites.

“The sauce makes the burger for sure,” Liz nodded.


After dinner, the pair got their shakes to go and headed for Liz’s for a chill evening, knowing it might be the last they have for the next few days.

The friends used the time to catch up on each other’s lives, chat about everything they couldn’t go into details with over text and just enjoy each other’s company with classic teen movies – Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club and Ferris Bueller’s Day Off – playing in the background into the early hours of the morning.

“So tomorrow we’re going to go for a bus tour?” Allyson asked.

“Yep. It might be terrible, but I’ve always wanted to do it and been too worried people would judge me, so you give me a perfect excuse to try it.”

They retired to their rooms just to be up in a few hours for Allyson’s first full day in California.

Allyson looked at her phone for the first time in a few hours, seeing she had a missed text from JC. How do you like CA so far?

 

Allyson looked at her watch. It was nearly 3 a.m., so she decided she would text him tomorrow. She wasn’t entirely sure how she was still functioning, given her body felt like it was 6 a.m. Credit to either the sleep she got on the plane or just the joy of being with her friend – or both – she didn’t realize how tired she was.

 

Chapter 21 by TurtlenecksAndTea

Well had in n out last night, so guess I’m a true CA girl now, Allyson texted back to JC later in the morning.

Solid start, he shot back shortly after. We set for tonight still?

Yep. And Liz is cool? She had checked three times in the weeks leading up to the trip that JC was OK with Liz coming with them to dinner. Although she would prefer dinner just she and JC, she couldn’t not include Liz.

Yeah!

Then see you tonight.

:)


After a breakfast of avocado toast and roasted potatoes with a turmeric-based juice, Liz and Allyson spent the rest of the afternoon on the top of the double-decker red bus listening to the history of Los Angeles and spotting star houses.


After the hours-long tour, they made the trip back to Pasadena to get ready to meet JC for dinner. He was very specific that this was not Allyson’s birthday celebration, but a welcome to LA dinner. She was more excited than she realized she would be. Meanwhile, Liz was a nervous wreck. She had been near some mega-stars helping with some of Disney’s recent movies, but she never associated with them outside of work, much less sat down and had dinner with them at The Palm.


“It’ll be fine,” Allyson said reassuringly. “I promise he’s just as sweet as we always imagined he would be.”

“I’ll try to do my hyperventilating in the car, so I don’t do it at the table. We’re about to have dinner with JC freaking Chasez,” Liz said, dancing a bit in her room as she chose the sundress she wanted to wear and let her blonde beachy waves fall to her shoulders. “We might live in the same part of California, but we are not in the same circles by any means. What we’re doing tonight is not normal.”

Allyson giggled, thinking about what JC said about making sure she does LA right the first time.


Five dress changes later, Allyson and Liz climbed into Liz’s gunmetal gray Range Rover – it was her only splurge since moving to California, aside from her house.

Ultimately, Liz chose a white and black geometric print off-the-shoulder dress that was fitted, but not tight. Allyson wore the emerald green slip dress she brought and put a black jean jacket over it. Both women paired black heels with their outfits.

As they began walking toward the restaurant’s entrance after leaving their car with valet, they saw a Mercedes convertible pull into the spot their car had just occupied in front of the restaurant. Out stepped JC in a black button-down shirt, the top two buttons undone with black dress pants.

Both women caught themselves staring and Allyson’s breath caught in her throat. This was the first time she had seen JC in person since last year in New York, and he looked good.

He flashed the women a toothy grin as he handed his keys to the valet attendant.

“How are you gorgeous ladies tonight?” he asked, hugging them both.

“This is my friend Liz. Thank you for inviting us both to dinner. Quite a place here. Iconic.”

“Of course! The Palm has to be on the list of things to do in LA,” he smiled. “It’s nice to meet you, Liz. And has it really been a year since I saw you, Allie?”

“Yep. New York was the last time.”

“Wow. That’s crazy. Well, welcome to LA, honey,” he said, wrapping his arm around Allyson again, giving her shoulder a squeeze. “Let’s get dinner, shall we?”


The conversation was nice, ranging from school to music to sports, and the time went by quickly, just like it had the first time Allyson and JC had dinner together.

“I got this,” JC waved Liz’s hand away from the check. “This is my treat to both of you.”

“No, I can’t let you do that. You can cover Allyson, but please let me get mine.”

“I will not. I invited both of you to dinner, and I will be treating both of you to dinner,” he said sternly but with a bit of a lightness in his voice.

“OK, OK,” Liz finally backed off, putting her hands in the air in defeat.

“Thank you,” he smiled.


With the check paid, JC asked if they wanted to extend the night at any clubs, but Allyson knew Liz was looking forward to another chill night, and Allyson could use another night to fight the jet lag after not getting much sleep her first night in town. They had planned to experience the LA nightlife while Allyson was visiting, but not before the weekend.

“Could we club hop tomorrow night?” Allyson asked with pleading eyes. “We stayed up until 3 a.m. and it’s catching up with me. I can’t hang with y’all.”

“Saturday night in LA? Yeah we can do that,” JC said with a laugh. “Get ready for some crowded clubs and loud music.”

“I can’t wait,” Allyson said as she looked at Liz. “You did promise to help me do LA right.”

“It’ll be the full experience, that’s for sure,” he laughed before turning to Liz. “Are you a club person?”

“Not really,” she said with a chuckle. “The housing selection is not the only reason I chose Pasadena instead of Los Angeles.”

JC just nodded. “Well tomorrow we make the night ours.”

As they waited for their cars, JC gave Liz a quick hug before bringing Allyson in for a full bear hug. “Oh! You do give some of the best hugs,” he said into her hair.

Allyson just smiled as she let the long hug work its healing powers.


Liz and Allyson, both sports fans, spent Saturday touring Dodgers Stadium, since their schedule made it so Allyson could not get to a game while she was on the West Coast.


Her phone dinged. I’ll pick you and Liz up at 10, she read from JC.

“Starting at 10? I’m too old for this shit,” she laughed to Liz.

“It’ll be fun! It’ll be a new experience for both of us. Besides, we’ll be with JC, so we’re bound to get some nice perks.”

“That’s probably true,” Allyson said.

Sounds good, she typed back.


Allyson pulled on a black sequined miniskirt and white sleeveless flowy top with some chunky black heels.

“Damn!” Liz said as Allyson entered the living room in her outfit. “Dressed to impress I see.”

“I’ve been waiting for so long for the right time to come around so I can wear this damn skirt,” she laughed.

“Well you’re killing it,” Liz reassured her.

“Well, look at you, missy! Let’s see a twirl,” Allyson said looking up and down at Liz’s choice of denim short shorts, a strapless black bustier-style top and over-the-knee black boots.

“I don’t really go out. Is this OK?”

“You look hot, girl! You’re gonna get you a man tonight!”

Liz snorted, “Yeah, OK. Let’s not put too much pressure on tonight.”

“Fine. Let’s just have some fun and look good doing it!”

Allyson looked at her watch and saw it was 10 ’til 10, putting on the finishing touches of her makeup and making sure her hair was as she wanted.

At exactly 10, JC was at Liz’s door, ready to get the night started.

“Well, damn! I’m glad I stepped up my game a little tonight,” he laughed as he stepped back and took in the vision of Allyson and Liz. JC opted for a more casual, yet sexy look with tan pants and a plain white V-neck T-shirt that showed off his summer glow. To top it off, he left his scruff from the day. “I’ll be with the best-looking mamas in the joint.”

 

Liz and Allyson both smiled and laughed as they exchanged glances.

 

Chapter 22 by TurtlenecksAndTea

With JC by their side, they were able to get into any club, but they chose Les Deux to start out with and get the blood flowing.


Blame it on the a-a-a-a-a-alcohol blared through the club’s speakers as they walked in to the room, making their way to the bar and the VIP section.


The music kept at a level as the trio watched bodies grind on each other on the dance floor and the alcohol began flowing.


Soon a familiar song came on, and Allyson and Liz looked at each other and began banging their heads in unison before they started scream singing. 


Na-na-na-na-na-na-na I wanna start a fight

So So what? I’m still a rock star

I got my rock moves

And I don’t need you

And guess what, I’m having more fun

And now that we’re done

I’m gonna show you tonight

I’m all right, I’m just fine

And you’re a tool, so so what?

I am a rock star

I got my rock moves

And I don’t want you tonight.


JC just sat back in his chair and laughed, taking in the scene unfolding in front of him. It was obvious how much fun Liz and Allyson had together. More than that, though, this was one of JC’s first times to witness first-hand Allyson really let her hair down a little.


The upbeat dance songs continued cycling through. 


Because when I arrive I, I bring the fire

Make you come alive I can take you higher, the music continued.


Hard to hear over the music, there wasn’t much talking happening during the night. There were many looks exchanged, though, as women approached JC and a few men gave Liz and Allyson a once-over.


By midnight, after a few drinks were coursing through their bodies, the trio made their way to a karaoke bar where they could keep the fun going, but hear each other.

Normally, Liz would be the first one looking for the door when someone mentioned karaoke, but the extra shot they did as they walked into the bar threw her inhibitions out the window.


“Hey, hey, you, you, I don’t like your girlfriend! No way, no way, I think you need a new one!” Liz started singing, selecting Avril Lavigne’s song “Girlfriend.” The song was somewhat controversial with some thinking Avril was “selling out” her punk roots, but in the bar Saturday night, Liz was feeling the song and everyone was feeling her.


“Oh my gosh that was such a rush!” she said when she sat back down at their booth. “You need to do it, Allie!”

“You know I can’t sing.”

“That’s the point of karaoke,” JC chimed in. “It doesn’t matter if you’re good or not. It’s just about having fun.”

“Come on! Pleeeeaase,” Liz pleaded with her. “I did it!”

JC just nodded.

“Oh my gosh, fine! Wow, y’all are pushy!”

“But you’re doing it with me, mister,” she pointed to JC.

“Fine. Pick a song. But I’m not doing *NSYNC.”

“Geez! Fine.”


Writing out her selection, Allyson showed it to JC as she turned it in.

“Are you serious?”

“Yep. Let’s go.”

“I did say I’d let you pick.”


Grabbing the microphone, JC and Allyson hit the stage with Liz providing their cheering section.

“Oo-hoo-hoo” Allyson sang, not great, but not terribly either. “Oo-hoo-hoo!”

“Debbie just hit the wall. She never had it all. One Prozac a day. Husband’s a CPA,” JC started singing.

Looking over for Allyson to take the next line, but she was off in her own world dancing around the stage, leaving JC to take over the song. As he did his best with the song, he glanced over at Allyson, smiling, watching her jump and twirl around the stage, seemingly without a care in the world.

The pair left the stage to applause from many more than just Liz as Allyson plopped down in her chair.

“I think that last shot might have done her in,” Liz said laughing, looking at JC.

“I think you might be right. So, did y’all have fun?

“Oh this was a blast! If this is what a night out in LA is like, I wish I’d tried it sooner.”

“This is a special night. It’s not always this good. But considering this place is closing in half an hour, what do ya say we get you both home.”

“But we haven’t found Liz a man!” Allyson said, slurring the words together, making both Liz and JC laugh.

“We’ll come out again, and I’ll find someone then. How’s that?”

“Fine.”

Allyson sang “1985” in the back of JC’s car nearly the entire way home, while Liz and JC just enjoyed the free entertainment.


“Thank you for a fun night, ladies!” JC said as he walked the women to the door. “We’ll have to do it again next week for Allyson’s birthday.”

Allyson was leaning on Liz’s shoulder in the doorway. “That sounds good,” Liz said with a chuckle.

“Look after her, will you?” JC added with a slight concern in his eyes.

 

Liz nodded. “Nothing a little Pedialyte, water tonight and Gatorade and spicy Thai noodles tomorrow can’t help.”


Chapter 23 by TurtlenecksAndTea

The next morning, with the remedy in her system, Allyson rejoined the land of the living. “Did I do karaoke with Josh last night?” she asked, rubbing her eyes.

“Well, kinda,” Liz said with a laugh. “You sang a couple words and then started dancing around the stage, and he just kind of took over the song.”

“Oh my God!” Allyson said, leaning forward on the couch, putting her head in her hands. “That’s what I thought, but I was hoping it was the hangover making it up.”

“’Fraid not.”

“Ugh. It was a fun night, but I can’t do that night after night.”

“I don’t think anyone over 25 can.”

“I was thinking we could do some stuff around here today. Then, there’s a community movie they’re doing at the Rose Bowl if you want to go. I think they’re showing Legally Blonde maybe.”

“Oh we have to go!”


“Bend and snap! Oh my God, the bend and snap! Works every time!” they repeated along with the movie.

“I never get tired of this movie!” Allyson said to Liz as they gathered their blanket off the turf. 


It was the perfect chill day and night they needed after going out with JC. They had one more day and night to recover and prepare before Allyson’s birthday celebration.


“Oh you’re kidding me!” Allyson said, the annoyance in her voice obvious.

“What is it?” Liz came running from the kitchen, still drying her hands from the dishwater.

“Look at this,” Allyson said as she tossed the phone to the side of the couch near where Liz was standing.

Liz’s eyes got bigger as she looked at the phone, the towel now draped over her shoulder.

“Right! How many years has it been now?”

“Are you going to go?”

“I know I shouldn’t, but I kind of want to. Maybe it’ll reassure me I made the right decision.”

“I can answer that for you. You did. There is nothing Paul can say or do to change my mind on that. But if you want to go, I won’t stop you.”

“It’s lunch – a late lunch, but lunch still – so that makes it less formal.”

Liz threw her arms in the air; she was staying out of it. “I can’t tell you what to do.”

“Fuck it. I’m going. Maybe it’ll help me get the closure I obviously don’t quite have yet, considering I still question how things ended.”


Paul and Allyson were high school sweethearts and dated for part of college also. It was a good relationship until it wasn’t. The foundation fell apart pretty quickly once the first crack formed, but there was never a real ending.

Allyson saw the writing on the wall and the couple had called it quits on relatively good terms and tried to remain friends. It worked for a while. Then, one day, Paul fell off the radar. For seven years, Allyson had not heard from him.

She knew, generally, what he was up to, thanks to some remaining mutual friends, but they had not spoken in nearly a decade.

Since that day eight years ago now, Allyson questioned whether she was right to end the relationship and if she had done something in their post-breakup friendship that led Paul to disappear without a word.


Allyson brushed her hair and looked at her outfit: slightly longer jean shorts, a cream tank top and black gladiator sandals. It was cute, but not too cute, and her makeup was minimal. She was not convinced Paul deserved more effort than that.


She grabbed her Guess purse – it looked like Coach, and she didn’t correct anyone who thought it was – and headed out into the living room. Liz offered to drive Allyson to the restaurant and pick her up, but Allyson only accepted the drive over.


“Are you good?” Liz asked as they were five minutes out from the restaurant. “I can still turn around.”

“I’m good; a little nervous, but that’s just because it’s been so long, I think. I’ll be fine.”

“OK. Well, I’m going to go into the office for a bit. Let me know if you want me to come pick you up, OK?”

Allyson nodded absentmindedly.

“OK?” Liz asked again.

“Yes, OK. I think I should be fine to get a cab, though. And I have a key. Don’t worry. Take care of your stuff.”


As the clock turned to 4:30, Liz pulled off the main road and stopped to give Allyson time to get out of the car, fix her shirt and get to the entrance. Paul was already there, dressed in a casual pair of khakis and a light pink polo shirt, looking like a typical frat guy, never mind that he was 30.

“Hey,” Allyson said, accepting Paul’s awkward hug.

“It’s good to see you,” he said. “Thanks for meeting me. I know it’s been a while.”

“Been a long while,” she said, raising her eyebrows in suspicion.


“So what have you been up to?” he asked as they sat down at a patio table and ordered drinks: a fresh mint lemonade for Allyson and a Pabst for Paul.

“I went back to school for my MBA and actually just graduated a couple weeks ago.”

“Wow,” Paul said. “You always were the academic type.”

“I guess so. So what about you?”

“Well, you remember Lydia?”

“Lydia from back home?” she asked confused

“Mhmm.”

“Sure. Who could forget that red hair.”

He laughed a little. “Well, we reconnected a few years ago, and she told me about an acting studio out here, so I moved. Then, about the time I moved out here, she moved to New York, go figure. But I’m an actor.”

“Oh great. So the classes worked?”

“Sure did. I’ve been in a couple commercials and have an audition tomorrow.”

“Any commercials I’d have seen?”

“Probably not. They’re all local.”

“Ah, OK,” Allyson nodded. She knew he was trying to make himself sound more impressive than he was.


Allyson wasn’t as nervous as she thought she would be, but it was just as awkward as she expected. How do you have a comfortable conversation with someone who you were so close to at one time, but haven’t talked to in seven years?


“So what do you like about LA?” Allyson asked, feeling like she was interviewing a new hire.

“The parties are aaawesome!” Paul said, throwing his head back.

Allyson let out an uncomfortable laugh, knowing he was progressively getting more drunk as the happy hour prices kicked in. She started to giggle a little more to herself thinking his parties probably did not include singing – well, “singing” – karaoke with JC Chasez.


Eventually, an hour and a half had passed, and Allyson was trying her best to wrap up the evening. By that time, though, she could not let Paul leave in his car. I’ll drive him home, she thought. Why am I so nice? He probably wouldn’t do that for me?

 

Chapter 24 by TurtlenecksAndTea
Author's Notes:

TW: This chapter contains a sexual assualt situation.

After settling the bill, she headed to the valet station, assuring them Paul would not be the one driving away.

Luckily Paul had a Nuuvi GPS system in his car with his home programmed in. Allyson clumsily drove them through the unknown streets of LA to arrive at Paul’s duplex, which was painted an ocean blue.

“You should come in, like old times?” Paul said, his eyes half closed as he leaned closer to Allyson.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea,” she said matter of factly as she leaned further away.

“Aw you’re no fun. Come on,” he said, his words slurring together. Paul reached over and tugged at her shorts toward him, forcing her to now be turned sideways in the driver’s seat. He rubbed his hands along the top of her thighs as Allyson pushed them away. She pushed herself toward the door, searching for the unlock button because the car did not unlock when she put the car in park.

By this point, Paul was trying to crawl over the center console. “I’m sorry I just left you. I wanted you, and couldn’t stand to be friends with you and not be with you. If I was going to be around you, I had to have you.”

As he was saying this, all that was going through Allyson’s head was, Shit, shit, shit, shit. What the hell do I do now? She had quickly become trapped and Paul was getting more aggressive. She reached into her back pocket and pulled out her phone, finding the dots on the 5 and navigating blindly. Can’t call mom, that’s for sure. Shannon can’t help me, she thought as she moved from the 1 to the 2. Then, still holding the phone behind her back, held down the number 3 key to call JC.

She could barely hear him answer and said, “Help. Come to the ocean duplexes on Gless,” just loud enough for him to hear and hoping there weren’t many blue duplexes on Gless to choose from.

“What? Allie, are you OK? What’s going on?” JC asked as Allyson repeated her plea for help.

Without any hesitation, JC turned to Tony, who he was writing with. “Hey, I’m sorry, I’ve gotta go. That was Allie, and something’s going on. It didn’t sound good.”

“Yeah. Go, go! Can I do anything?” Tony asked as JC was slipping his rainbow Vans back on.

“Actually, yeah. Can you call your buddy at Hollenbeck? I don’t know what’s going on, but the phone was muffled, and I don’t have a good feeling. She said the ocean duplex on Gless. I only know of one, so I’m going to head there.”

“Yeah, I’ll call Bryce now. He should be on patrol now anyway.”

“Thanks, man. I’ll talk to ya later.”

JC hopped in his Jeep and sped off toward the Pico Gardens area of the city, the flashers on his vehicle turned on. As fate would have it, Tony and he had agreed to meet at a small studio a little more than five minutes away from where Allyson was.


He slowed down only to make sure he had the right place. A moving vehicle in the driveway was the giveaway. Wasting no time, he threw the car into park. turned off the engine and jumped out of the Jeep to run over to the car. Trying the passenger door, it was locked.  Undeterred after seeing Allyson pinned up against the driver’s side door, JC reached for a nearby pointed rock and smashed the passenger window with a few well-placed jabs. Quickly unlocking the door from the inside and throwing it open, JC grabbed a handful of Paul’s shirt and yanked him off Allyson, throwing him to the pavement. Paul was so far gone, though, he just laid there.


JC immediately turned his attention back to the car, his eyes fixed on Allyson as she let out a relieved gasp, finally feeling as if she could breathe.


As soon as JC came into focus, the tears began to fall. She was in shock, scared and, now, relieved.

With the doors now unlocked, JC ran around to Allyson’s side and opened it carefully, embracing Allyson tightly as she stepped out of the car.

By then, Allyson’s emotions were taking over as she sobbed into JC’s shoulder.

“Hey, hey, it’s OK,” he said, as his right hand reached up and stroked her hair, while the left arm wrapped tightly around her waist. “You’re safe now. You’re safe. I’ve got you. And police should be here any minute to take care of that shithead.”

“Thank … you … for coming … to … get me,” Allyson said between sobs that shook her entire body.

“Shhh,” he said. “I’ll always come to your rescue. I’m just glad I was so close.”

About that time, JC could hear the sounds of sirens getting closer.


“Mr. Chasez?” the officer asked JC, extending his hand.

“Yes, sir. Bryce, I presume?” he said, shaking the officer’s hand, as he stepped away a little from where Allyson was sitting and talking to one of the other responding officers.

“Yes. Thank you for having Tony call. This isn’t the first time we’ve had to deal with Paul. He’s had quite a few public intoxication charges and a few restraining orders against him over the years.

JC gulped. “Has he ever done something like this before?”

“No. This is his first sexual assault arrest. But with Ms. Stewart’s account, we can do our part to make sure it’s his last.”

“Thank you.”


After giving her report to the officer, Allyson explained she did not need to go to the hospital for any tests. JC had gotten there before it reached that point, thankfully. All she wanted to do was take a shower and then soak in a bath.


“Thank you, Ms. Stewart,” the officer shook hands with Allyson. “We may have some additional follow-up questions, but I think we’re set for now.”


“How are you?” JC asked crouching down in front of Allyson as she sat on the running boards of his Jeep, leaning her elbows on her knees and staring at the street.

“I want a shower,” she said softly, as she looked up at him, tears started to come to her eyes again. “I want to get this off me.” She waved her hands in the air gesturing to where Paul had been on top of her.

“Of course. I’ll take you to Liz’s. Do you have her address?”

“No,” Allyson stopped him. “I don’t want to tell Liz what happened. Not yet. And I know she’ll ask why I didn’t call her. I can’t deal with that yet.”

“OK. If you want to shower at my place, you can do that, and I’ll take you back to Liz’s afterward.” She just nodded.


“Why did you call me and not her?” JC asked as they started to drive toward his house in the Hollywood Hills.

“You’re on speed dial,” Allyson said, flashing a little smile amidst the tears. “I couldn’t see the phone, so all I could do was pick from my speed dials.”

“Well, I’m glad I’m on speed dial,” he smiled back.

“Me too. I don’t want to think about what might’ve happened,” Allyson said looking down at her lap as they drove on.

“And you don’t have to because it’s over,” he said, reaching over to gently rub her forearm. “I’ve got you, and he’s going to jail.” 

She nodded silently, wiping the tears off her cheeks.

 

“Come on, let’s get you to a shower and a bath,” he said, as he lightly tapped her forearm before returning his right hand to the steering wheel.


Chapter 25 by TurtlenecksAndTea

Allyson continued to cry as she let the warm water pour over her from the rainfall shower head in JC’s guest bathroom. JC showed her how to get the water temperature right in the shower and the claw-foot bathtub, and let Allyson have the bathroom to herself.


After her shower, Allyson toweled off a bit and then drew a bath and lowered herself into the warm water, closing her eyes.


In that moment, rather than replay what Paul had done, a different feeling from the day ran through Allyson’s body and mind: the feeling of JC’s hug. She knew how good his hugs were – they’d established that in D.C. – but this one was different. This one was more than just a feel-good hug. It felt safe. After what felt like an eternity under Paul, she felt relief as soon as she saw JC’s face and then let her emotions go as she relaxed into his arms.


She closed her eyes and leaned back, living in that feeling.


About 20 minutes later, her phone on the side of the tub buzzed with a text from JC asking if she needed anything. Suddenly she looked at the small clock in the corner of the windowsill and saw the hands at 8:30. Shit, I need to text Liz, she thought.

Hey, she quickly typed out, JC ended up coming to get me, and I’m still at his place. I’m not sure if I’ll have him bring me back tonight or if it’s easier to just stay here for the night.

Oh good, Liz texted back. I’m just watching my Gilmore Girls DVDs. He’s way over in the Hills right?

Yeah, about 30 mins.

Yeah, that’s fine If you want to stay. Can he bring you back?

Yep, Allyson responded quickly.

OK, then I’ll just see you tomorrow.

Allyson let out a deep sigh, thankful Liz was not upset, knowing that calmness will not last for very long once she finds out what really happened.


After another 10 minutes, the water started to get cold, so Allyson took that as her cue to get dressed and venture downstairs.


She toweled off again and walked out to the guest bedroom where JC had left a neatly folded stack of clothes for her to choose from – Michigan basketball shorts, black sweatpants, an MMC white tank top and a large retro TRL logo sweatshirt.

On top of the clothes was a note that read: “Take your pick. Anything else you need should be in the top left drawer of the dresser.”

She turned her attention to the dresser on the side wall and opened the top left drawer to reveal sealed packages of women’s panties and sports bras.

Curious, Allyson looked at the other drawers, finding sheets, sweatshirts, shorts and oversized T-shirts in the dresser.

Allyson smiled as she pulled out the new set of underwear and then slipped on the basketball shorts and TRL sweatshirt. Even though she had just gotten out of a bath – and taken a shower – and it was July in California, she felt cold and found comfort in the sweatshirt.

Taking a deep breath in, she left the bedroom and walked out into the hallway and made her way down the stairs to the living room where she saw JC sitting at the piano. He began playing a little again before realizing Allyson had walked in. The tune sounded familiar but nothing she could pinpoint.

“Hey,” he got up quickly, moving over to her. “How are you? Do you need anything?”

“No, no, you gave me everything I needed. I’m still a little shook up, though.” 

“I bet,” he said, leading her to the sectional in the living room. “Do you want to talk about it?”

“No, it’s OK,” Allyson said sitting on the couch with her bare feet on the couch, her knees pulled up to her chest and her arms clasped around them. She did want to talk about it, but she did not know how to put into words what she was feeling at that moment.

JC shifted on the couch to face Allyson more, bringing one knee up on the cushions, his arm resting on the back of the couch. “You don’t have to, but I’ll listen if you want me to.” The sincerity was evident in his voice and showed in his eyes.

She looked over at him, resting her head on her knees and took in a deep breath again. “I was so scared,” she said into the void created between her torso and her legs. “I really didn’t know what he would do. I just knew I probably wouldn’t be able to fight him.” She paused to take a few more breaths to try to control her emotions as tears started to fill her eyes again and she brought her head back up and squeezed her legs tighter. “I just knew I had to try something, so I pulled out my phone.” She started to say something else, but stopped herself. “I’m just glad you picked up.”

“I’m glad I was so close,” he said, his lips moving into a slight reassuring smile.

“I was just so relieved when I saw your face. And your hugs have never felt better than when you got me out of that car.”

Unable to control her emotions any longer, her face scrunched up and she began crying, letting her tears roll down her face. It was not the same type of cry she had in the shower, but one of overwhelming thanks to be safe.

JC scooted closer to her, wrapping his arms around her and pulling her into his chest, letting her lay against him and cry. Neither of them said anything for a few minutes, but nothing needed to be said.

“I don’t know what I’m going to tell Liz,” she said, her tears starting to end but still leaning against JC’s chest.

“I’ll help you if you want,” JC offered. “I’ve never been in that situation, but I know what it means to need support.”

Allyson looked up at JC with what can only be described as puppy dog eyes. “Would you?”

“Always.”

She buried her head into his chest again, listening to JC’s heartbeat. “He was my ex,” she began after a few moments of silence.

“You saw your ex while you were here?” he asked looking directly at her as she sat up on the couch again.

“He reached out, I guess after seeing something Liz posted on Facebook. We dated back in high school and part of college. I ended things, we were friends and then he disappeared and I hadn’t heard from him in years.”

“And he asked you to come out today while you were here?”

“Exactly. He’s out here as an ‘actor,’” she said, putting air quotes around the word actor. “I wanted to see if I could get some sort of closure after he just fell off the face of the earth. I thought seeing him one last time would do it. Then, he got drunk, so I couldn’t let him drive. And, well, you know what happened next.”

She looked down at her lap. She was disappointed in herself that she let what happened happen to her, but couldn’t see another option. There was no way she was going to let his drunk ass get in the car and drive through the streets of LA.

“Yeah,” JC said, reaching his arm around Allyson’s shoulders again. “We don’t have to think about it again for the night.”

“But I can’t forget about it,” she said, her eyes fixed on the black TV screen above the fireplace mantle.

JC moved his arm to rub her shoulder reassuringly and stroke her hair, like he’d done many times before with his younger sister as she dealt with heartbreak. While not the same, that taught him how to comfort.

“I just wish I could forget it,” she said, closing her eyes as she sunk into him a little more.

“Eventually the raw emotions will fade, and it’ll just become something that helped you become who you are,” JC said, kissing the top of her head.

After sitting like that for a few minutes, JC asked, “Do you have your glasses with you?”

“Yeah,” she said, sitting up. “They’re in my purse.”

“I’ll get them,” he said quickly before she had the chance to get off the couch. He pulled out her extra pair of glasses and went to get contact solution and a case for her.

 

“Thanks,” she gave him a relaxed smile. 

 

End Notes:

This is the halfway point, folks!

Chapter 26 by TurtlenecksAndTea
Author's Notes:

Something's about to shift.

After an emotional night of tossing and turning by both Allyson and JC as they relived the events of the day, they woke up in their respective bedrooms, their hearts beating fast for different reasons.

Allyson had been thinking over and over again about if she could have avoided what happened; if she should have left him to his own devices at the restaurant and all the what ifs that had been running through her mind. She calmed herself as she looked around the room, remembering she was at JC’s. She was safe.

For JC, he was fighting with his feelings. JC might do anything for a friend, but the adrenaline he felt when he saw Allyson in that car was not just that of a friend. Sure, he cared for all his friends, but Allyson was different, and he knew it. He’d known it since visiting her in D.C., but he couldn’t quite articulate it until he held her on the couch as she cried. He felt a deep love for this girl in his soul. Seeing her so upset broke his heart and he swore to himself he would do whatever he could to avoid her ever feeling that way again. But, his objective for the next day was not to be anything more than the supportive friend he promised to be.


JC’s Jeep pulled into Liz’s driveway and both he and Allyson took a few deep breaths to prepare themselves.


Allyson knocked a couple times to no answer. Pulling out the spare key Liz had given her for the week, she unlocked the door and stepped into the house. “Hello? Liz?” she yelled into the house. “Are you here?”

She looked back at JC and shrugged. Liz’s car was in the garage, so she was home. The question was just where. It wasn’t a large home, but it had its fair share of rooms and closets.

Allyson walked further into the house, continuing to call out Liz’s name, until she reached the back garden.

“Oh, good God! You scared me!” Liz jumped as Allyson stepped into the small green space.

“Sorry,” she giggled. “I used my key when you didn’t answer.”

Liz let out a relieved laugh. “It’s OK. Nice outfit,” she said, seeing the TRL and basketball shorts combination Allyson still had on.

“Oh yeah, I needed a change of clothes at JC’s.”

“Speaking of JC, did he just drop you off or is he here still?”

“He’s still here,” Allyson said, turning to the open door, yelling “She’s back here!” 

A few moments later, JC stepped through the door to the backyard, smiling as he did.

“Hey! Thanks for bringing Allie back,” Liz said, returning his smile.

“Of course!” He caught Allyson’s eye that told him she was nervous and unsure how to bring up the topic of Paul. He gave her a slight nod to tell her he was not going to leave her.

“What’s going on?” Liz asked, noticing the silent exchange.

“There’s something I need to tell you, Lizzy,” Allyson said, her tone getting more serious.

“What happened? Is this why you were at JC’s?”

“Yeah. Can we go inside?”

“Sure.” Liz put down her hand trowel and wiped the loose dirt off her hands.


Sitting down in the living room, Allyson and Liz were on the couch facing each other, while JC took the chair near Allyson’s side of the couch.

“Allie, what’s going on?”

Allyson looked down. “Well, you know how I got lunch with Paul yesterday?”

“Yeah. Did he do something?”

Allyson looked up with tears in her eyes and just nodded her head.

“Oh my God! Allyson!” Liz yelled as she wrapped Allyson into a hug. “That scumbag! Are you OK? Did he hurt you?”

“I didn’t know what to do, so I called JC, and he came and got me.” Tears were starting to roll down Allyson’s face, though she wasn’t sobbing like she had been the day before.

Neither of them took notice, but JC’s eyes were welling up also, seeing the emotional toll the ordeal took on Allyson and the strength she was finding to tell Liz.

“Do you want to tell me what happened?”

“It was fine during lunch,” Allyson started, composing herself. “Awkward but fine, but then he started drinking more than he should’ve to the point where I knew he couldn’t drive. So I drove him home because I knew he’d be dumb enough to get into the car and drive himself if I didn’t, and I couldn’t handle that on my conscious.” Liz was nodding along. “So then when we got to his place, he started getting aggressive. He invited me in and when I kind of laughed it off, he leaned over and ended up pinning me against the door and started putting his hands on me and trying to kiss me.” Allyson’s voice started to shake as the emotions returned. “And the car door was jammed, so I was stuck. I tried to get him off me, but nothing I did worked, so I grabbed my phone, but he was restricting my arms to where I could only use it behind my back, and the only person here I had on speed dial was JC.” She glanced over at him sitting silently in the chair, his eyes glistening. “And luckily he picked up and was close by. He came to the rescue, and the police were a few minutes behind him.”

Liz, who had moved from hugging Allyson to holding her hand, got up to give JC a hug. “Thank you.”

“Not a problem,” he said with a nod. “I’d do anything for my friends. Besides, Allyson’s saved my butt a few times, so I think I owed her.”

He and Allyson both laughed knowing he was referencing the Us Weekly event.

“So by the time we talked to police, all I wanted to do was get any memory of Paul off me and soak in a bath, and JC was kind enough to let me do both.”

“Always,” he smiled at her.


A few more moments passed as Allyson continued filling Liz in on the police report and answering her questions.

“I’m so glad you’re safe. My God! I knew Paul was an asshole, but I didn’t realize how much of a dickwad he was. If you want to egg his house or anything, you let me know. We can do that tonight.”

Allyson laughed, shaking her head. “No, I think I’ll let the police handle him. Let him have fun with his court-appointed attorney.”

Liz’s laughter joined Allyson’s. “OK. Well, the offer’s there. We’ve got toilet paper too.”

“Well, I’ll let you two ladies plot your revenge,” JC chuckled, getting up from the chair.

“Seriously, thank you,” Liz said, stopping him for another hug. “And we’ll see you tomorrow?” She turned her attention to Allyson, “Are we still on for your birthday festivities?”

“Yeah, I think a little bit of fun would be nice.”

“Then, I’ll see you two there,” JC said with a smile.

“Hey, I’ll walk you out,” Allyson got up.

“I’ll be in the back,” Liz offered.


JC gathered his messenger bag and his keys and headed for the door with Allyson right behind him.


“Well, that seems like it went better than you thought,” JC said with a smile as he threw his bag into the back seat of his Jeep.

“Yeah it did. Thank you for being here,” Allyson said with a smile. “Shit, thank you for everything,” Allyson said.

“It was nothing. I told you I’d do anything to help my friends, especially you.”

Not saying a word, Allyson reached up and pulled JC into one of the tightest hugs they’d shared in the couple years they’d known each other. “I can’t imagine what might’ve happened if you didn’t come when you did,” she said into his shoulder. “I’ll never be able to repay you.”

Once JC got a hold of Allyson, he let out a sigh and picked her up quickly so her toes were barely touching the ground for a moment before setting her back down.

“I’m just glad I was nearby and that, ultimately, you’re safe,” he said, leaning against his black Jeep as the hug ended.


Without thinking, Allyson leaned forward on her toes and pressed her lips onto JC’s.

“Oh my God, I’m so sorry,” she said, covering her mouth as she quickly realized what she was doing and stepped back embarrassed.

“Don’t be,” JC said, his hands grabbing her waist and pulling her into him again, his lips initiating the kiss this time.

The spark that was missing in D.C. had definitely found its way to both of them this time. Their bodies relaxed into each other, as their mouths continued to explore.

JC moaned on Allyson’s lips, his hands moving from her waist to her hair and back down to her waist again.

Allyson gasped as they came up for air. “Woah! I felt that.”

“Mhmm,” JC managed to get out with a smile. “Third time’s the charm, I guess,” his smile turning into a laugh.

“I guess so,” Allyson laughed with him. “And it was worth the wait.”

“Couldn’t agree more.”


“I-I-I should probably go help Liz in the garden,” Allyson stammered as she backed away from JC.

“Yeah, of course, and I should probably get home, finish working on that song.”

“What song?”

“You’ll see. I should have it ready for your birthday tomorrow.”

“I’ll take that gift,” she said with a smile. “Talk later?”

“Absolutely!” he said, his hands reaching for her arms to pull her back in for a soft kiss – this time on her lips instead of her cheek or the top of her head like their usual partings.


She waved back at JC as he opened the door and Allyson walked back into Liz’s house.

 

As soon as the door closed, JC sat back in the driver’s seat and let out a sound that was a mix of a laugh and a sigh. “Wow!” he said aloud to himself as he shook his head a little before driving home.


Chapter 27 by TurtlenecksAndTea

“What is that face?” Liz asked as Allyson walked out the back door to the garden.

Allyson didn’t realize it, but she was absentmindedly smiling.

“What? Nothing,” she said as Liz stood up from tending to her tomato plant.

“Don’t lie to me. I know we haven’t hung out for a while, but your poker face is just as horrible now as it was in high school.”

“OK fine!” Allyson said, pretending like she would’ve actually been able to hold onto her excitement for much longer. “JC and I just kissed!”

“Girl, you did what now?” Liz said with a smile on her face, standing up. “Slow down now.”

“Well, we were saying bye and then I was just all in my feelings after he saved me and just the way he’s taken care of me. I backed off once I realized what I was doing, but then he pulled me back in and kissed me. Aaaah.”

“Wow!” was all Liz could say a smile on her face now too. “That’s quite a birthday gift. So how was it?”

“Amazing! Everything I imagined. Everything I was hoping for last time that wasn’t there. Oh my God! I have to call Shannon!” Before Liz could say anything, Allyson had run back inside to grab her phone, leaving Liz to just laugh to herself.

I have news! Call me when you get off shift! Allyson excitedly texted Shannon.

I’m off in 5

Allyson sat on her bed trying to contain herself as she prepared to tell Shannon the news that she knew would have her head spinning.


“This better be good news because I have had nothing but fucking summer camp groups all day!” Shannon said.

Allyson just smiled knowing she was about to blow her friend’s mind. “WE KISSED AND THERE WAS A SPARK!!! More than just sparks, there were fucking fireworks!!”

“Wait, wait, you and who kissed? You and JC?”

“Mhmm!!”

“Ummm details, ma’am! Details!”

“It’s kinda a long story, but basically something happened, and he came to my rescue and was just there for me. Like I was there for him after the whole Us Weekly thing, but like even more. Then, as I was saying bye to him after he dropped me off at Liz’s, I just kind of kissed him but backed off, and he pulled me in and there were fucking fireworks, Shan!”

“Holy fuck! Allie!”

“I know, I know!” her grin stretching from ear to ear and then some.

“When is your birthday deal?”

“Tomorrow. We’re supposed to go to this brunch place JC knows, but that’s really the only set thing. We’re supposed to talk later.”

“OK, tell me how the post-kiss talk goes.”

Allyson giggled. “OK.”

“Girl, this is enough to get me through the summer. Man, LA did not disappoint!”


After a day of gardening, Liz and Allyson were finishing off a pecan-crusted chicken and green bean dish Liz had seen on Food Network that was just as good as what a restaurant in Hollywood would make.

Their plates cleaned, Allyson offered to wash the dishes and Liz took charge of drying. They were nearing the last of the dishes when Allyson’s phone buzzed on the counter. Looking back, she saw JC’s name on the screen.

“Go,” Liz said with a smile. There’s not much left. I got this. Go talk to your boy.”

Allyson rolled her eyes a little with a laugh. “He’s not my boy.”

“Yet,” Liz interjected.

Allyson could only giggle. “Hey!” she answered as she took the phone into the living room.

“Hey! So before I say anything else, I have to ask, you felt something earlier, right?”

“Definitely.”

“OK, good. Well, I’ve been in the studio all day trying to get this song finished for you, but tomorrow after brunch, how would you like to go for a walk along the beach?”

“That sounds great!”

“Perfect!” They shared a smile through the phone. “I just wanted to make sure, but I should probably get back to this song. I’ll see you tomorrow, though. And this place has a somewhat fancy dress code, but please be comfortable!”

“Liz and I both already have our sundresses picked out.”

“I can’t wait! See you soon, soon-to-be birthday girl!”

 

“See you tomorrow!”

 

Chapter 28 by TurtlenecksAndTea
Author's Notes:

What is love?

On our way, Allyson texted JC as they made their way to the restaurant.

I’ll be outside, JC texted back in record time.

Just as promised, JC was waiting for them at the front doors as Liz and Allyson made their way from the parking lot to the entrance.

Liz got to JC first and he offered a hug. Allyson had been feeling butterflies the entire way. Would he kiss her? Should she kiss him? Do they just hug? What is the protocol? Their dynamic had shifted literally overnight.

JC had been mulling the same questions. It’s not like they were dating, but they both felt something in that kiss. He knew he wanted more than friendship and felt like maybe she did also now. He knew a kiss likely would not be objected to, but he did not know if it was the proper reception.

Opening his arms up wide, Allyson slid in as naturally as ever, laying her head on his shoulder as JC kissed her cheek and whispered, “Happy birthday, mama,” into her ear, sending shivers down her spine. A look in JC’s eyes told her no kiss, not until they talked more about what yesterday’s kiss meant. 


A couple carafes of mimosas – and a “manmosa” for JC – were flowing as they chowed down on the delicious assortment of foods, including a breakfast bagel, French toast with powdered sugar and a Belgian waffle with berries.

“Oh my God! This is delicious!” Allyson said, digging into the French toast. “I haven’t had French toast in so long, and it’s almost as good as my mom’s. I’ll put this at second and that’s only because they don’t use challah bread.”

JC and Liz laughed. “Nobody beats momma’s cooking,” JC agreed. “That’s why I like this place. It’s got a cool vibe but is as close to home cooking as I’ll get.” He turned his attention to Liz, “Allie saw my kitchen failures first hand.”

With a mouthful of food, Allyson could only giggle and nod.

“Luckily, Liz is awesome in a kitchen!” she added once her mouth was free of food. “We had a chicken dinner last night that you’d get at a banquet.”

“I just watch Food Network and try their recipes until I get them right,” Liz said with a shrug.

“Sounds like me with home design and remodeling,” JC smiled, stealing another glance from Allyson and winking.

The brunch continued with the same light atmosphere ending with the presentation of homemade cupcakes JC had the restaurant stash in the back. As the plate of cupcakes came out with a few candles lit, JC started leading Liz and the waiters in singing “Happy Birthday” with some of the other guests on the patio joining in.

“Thank you,” Allyson mouthed to JC and Liz shyly as the singing continued. She did not like the attention, but loved that she had people who would give her the attention.

“Were there cupcakes on the menu?” Allyson asked, grabbing one with pastel yellow frosting.

“No, I got here early and had them stash these until we were done with brunch,” JC smiled.

“Wait, you made these?” she asked, dumbfounded with icing on her nose from the bite.

“I can’t cook, but you never asked if I could bake,” he said with an endearing smirk as he wiped the icing off Allyson’s nose.

The check settled, the trio headed to their cars and moved them to a nearby garage before heading to the beach.


“I asked Jimmy to join us at the beach if that’s OK,” JC said as they stepped out of the cars. “I want to talk to you, Allie, and I didn’t want Liz to be by herself.”

“Thanks, that was thoughtful,” Liz said. “Is Jimmy a friend of yours?”

“Yeah, he’s a fellow producer.”

About that time, Jimmy Harry was walking toward the group.

Introductions complete, JC asked to pull Allyson aside and left Liz and Jimmy to talk about anything and everything. For the most part, their conversation consisted of discussing their work experiences.


“Happy birthday, mama,” JC said, placing his hand on the small of Allyson’s back as they began walking along the boardwalk.

“Thank you. This really is a memorable birthday. And thank you for arranging this. It ended up being a great distraction from everything that’s happened.”

“Let’s not think about that. I do want to talk about yesterday, though.”

She stopped and turned to look at him through his sunglasses. “Oh yeah?”

“Yeah, just what it means.” His hand returned to the small of her back as he encouraged her to continue walking with him.

“Everything felt different today,” he continued, quickly adding, “It wasn’t a bad different or anything, just… different.”

“I thought the same thing. I was running through in my head whether I hug you, kiss you or, shit, wave to you.”

They both laughed. “The same questions were running through my head too.”

“I could see it in your eyes. That’s why I didn’t try to kiss you.”

“Your eyes were telling me the same,” JC said with a smile. Coming upon an area with picnic benches, he motioned to the seats. “Do you want to sit down and talk or keep walking?”

“Let’s sit down for a minute,” she said, leading him to the table they had stopped next to. “I want to see your eyes.” She reached up and took his aviator-style sunglasses off his face and folded them on the table. She sighed as she looked into his blue eyes. She’d always thought his eyes were gorgeous, but they were even brighter and deeper in person. 

They sat quiet for a few minutes, just smiling at each other and giggling at the other’s silence.

“Soooooo…” JC started. “What were you feeling yesterday?”

“Everything,” Allyson said simply with a laugh.

“OK then,” JC laughed with her.

“I almost can’t put it all into words,” she continued. “The way you came to my rescue and took care of me, just something shifted. All of a sudden, I don’t know, I didn’t just see you as a friend anymore – even close or best friend. You became so much more. I felt safe in your arms, safer than I’ve ever felt with anyone. I knew I could cry to you, and you would take care of me. I knew you wouldn’t judge me or push me, but just let me cry. Everything I wanted to be there when we kissed in D.C. was there. The butterflies were flying from my stomach to my throat and back down.”

JC just sat there smiling at her across the table.

“What?” she giggled. “What about you? What did you feel when I sneak attack kissed you?”

“Everything I hoped you’d felt in D.C. I liked you then, and I wanted that spark to be there, but it was as if we had become too good of friends to be together. Then, I thought I’d messed everything up and ruined our friendship by kissing you and was relieved when you came to New York and everything felt right still. And when I saw you in that car pinned by that piece of shit, it just confirmed for me that you mean more to me than just a friend. The rage I felt was unlike anything I’d felt before. I just couldn’t believe someone would hurt someone I care so much about, someone I…” he paused as his sentence trailed off. Allyson smiled at him. “Love,” he said after an extended pause.

Allyson blushed and nodded. The word love coming from his lips rendered her speechless for a second. “I could feel the energy had changed. I love you too, Josh. But there’s a difference between loving someone and being in love with someone. I can’t say that I’m in love, but I know in my soul that I love you.” She sighed, resting her elbows on the table with her hands cradling her chin.

JC just laughed at the picture he saw in front of him. “I couldn’t agree more,” he said, reaching out to take her hands in his and bring them down to the table. “I don’t want to put the pressure of being in love on us. If you love me, and I love you, that seems like a pretty good place to start.”

Allyson smiled back. “Do you want to keep walking?”

“Let’s go,” he said, getting up. “Do you want to keep going on the boardwalk or do you want to jump down to the sand?”

“I can hold my shoes,” she said, her eyes fixed on the beach.

 

“Let’s see what seashells we can find.”

 

Chapter 29 by TurtlenecksAndTea

JC stepped off the small set of stairs onto the sand first and held out his hand to help Allyson. Her shoes in one hand, she accepted his outstretched left hand with her right, but didn’t let go once she was on the sand. Instead, their fingers intertwined, JC’s thumb gently rubbing hers as they looked at each other and smiled.


With the heavy conversation out of the way, they fell back into their usual banter.

“So what do you think Liz and Jimmy are doing?” Allyson asked.

“Probably gossiping about us,” JC said with a laugh as he gave her hand a squeeze.


Still close to the restaurant, Jimmy turned to Liz, “So are those two a thing?”

“I think they’re about to be,” Liz said with a smile.

“Good! That man needs a level head on his side.”

“And Allyson just needs a good experience with a man. She’s been burned or taken advantage of by so many.”

“He won’t do that.”

“I know he won’t. And I know she likes him.”

“And he likes her. He talks about her all the time when we’re in the studio. ‘Allie sent me this. Allie told me that.’ It’s cute, but he needs to make the move.”

“Oh my gosh! I can’t wait to tell her that.”

“No! Oh God, no, please don’t! He’ll never tell me anything again,” Jimmy said with a chuckle.

Liz just laughed. “OK fine, you have my word.”


“So what are your plans now that you’re a master of business?” JC asked with a smirk.

“Well, I might just try to find a job that doesn’t involve making coffee,” Allyson laughed.

“Think you’ll stay in D.C.?”

“We’ll see. I mean so much of my life is there, but then I feel like California could make for a fun new adventure.”

JC let go of Allyson’s hand and wrapped his arm around her shoulders and pulled her into him closer, placing a kiss on her temple as they kept walking along the beach, her arm reaching around his back.

“So are you and Liz free to come by tonight?”

“I’ll ask Liz if she has any plans for us.”

Allyson paused their walk as she pulled out her phone quickly to call Liz.

“Hey, are we doing anything tonight?” Allyson asked as Liz picked up on the second ring.

“I hadn’t planned on anything in particular. I’m willing to go out if you want or we can have a chill night. Whatever you want. It’s your birthday.”

Allyson just laughed. “OK. Well, JC just invited us to his place tonight if you don’t mind having a chill night at his place?”

“Sounds good to me. I’m not going to be third wheel, though.”

Allyson placed her hand over the mouthpiece of the phone and loudly whispered to JC, “She doesn’t want to be a third wheel.”

“She won’t be,” he said. “There will be other people there.”

Putting her hand down, Allyson said into the receiver, “There will be more than just us.”

“OK, then,” Liz said. “JC’s for the night.”

“Sweet! I’ll see you in a bit. We’re about to head back toward the restaurant,” Allyson said.

“OK, see y’all in a bit.”


“So I guess we’re going to JC’s tonight,” Liz said, looking at Jimmy with a smirk.

“I’ll be there too,” he laughed. “He started planning this as soon as he got back from your place.”

 

“Really? That must’ve been some kiss.”


Chapter 30 by TurtlenecksAndTea
Author's Notes:

It's time for a party!

JC arranged for a car to pick up Allyson and Liz to bring them to the party. It was Allyson’s birthday after all, and JC didn’t want she or Liz worrying about having to drive home.

Text me when you get here, he typed out to Allyson a few minutes before the car was due to pick them up.

You got it.


Allyson put on a pair of black linen shorts that showed off her strong-yet-lean legs with a light pink Abercrombie & Fitch polo. JC said it was a casual thing, so she dressed appropriately for the hot night. It was getting close to 7 p.m., and it was still 80 degrees outside.

Liz wore her light brown paisley print rayon wrap skirt and a plain white tank top.


“Showing a little leg tonight, huh?” Liz teased Allyson.

“Might as well,” she said, sticking her right leg out to the side and running her hand along her outside thigh sarcastically.

Liz just laughed. “Come on, the driver should be here any minute.”

About that time, the doorbell rang and a middle-aged mustachioed man in a tuxedo and a driver’s cap stood on Liz’s porch.

“Ma’am, ma’am,” he said, tipping his cap to both women in the doorway. “I’m here to take you ladies to Mr. Chasez’s tonight.”

“Yes!” they both yelped together.


“So who all do you think will be there?” Allyson asked.

“I know Jimmy will be there, but that’s it,” Liz said with a shrug.

“I can’t wait until someone asks me how I spent my birthday,” Allyson said. “No one will believe me.”

“They don’t have to because it’s happening. Happy 30th birthday, Allie!” Liz said, reaching across the limo to hug her friend.


There were a few cars in the driveway when they arrived, but not an overwhelming amount.

Here, she texted JC as the limo came to a stop.

As they were stepping out of their VIP ride, JC was in the doorway, ready to escort Liz and the woman of the hour into the party.


JC led the women to where the rest of *NSYNC was standing in a circle.

“Surprise!” JC said as Allyson’s face turned to shock, as did Liz’s.

“H-h-hi,” Allyson stammered, sticking out her hand to shake Justin, Chris, Joey and Lance’s hand. “Wow! I can’t believe I’m here, in JC’s house, meeting y’all.”

“We’ve heard a lot about you,” Lance said.

“All good things,” Justin added quickly.

“Yeah. Congratulations on graduating!” Chris said.

“JC found himself a smart one here,” Joey laughed, elbowing JC’s arm.

JC rolled his eyes a little and said, “I think what they all mean to say is happy birthday.”

“Happy birthday!” the other four men said in unison.

“Thank you,” Allyson said, laughing as she felt her cheeks turn a deeper shade of red. “Oh, and this is my friend Liz. The reason I came out here to begin with was to visit her. We went to school together.”

Liz shook each of their hands also. “It is so great to meet you guys!” 


As the party hit its height at about 8:30, JC paused the music playing throughout the main floor’s rooms and held his beer in the air to do a toast in front of the dozen or so people gathered in the living room.

“Thank you guys for being here tonight. This was just a little spur-of-the-moment party for my girl, Allie. Happy birthday, honey, and I hope whatever your birthday wish is comes true!”

Right on cue, a couple people rolled out a cart holding a large two-layered cake with “Happy birthday, Allie” scrawled in icing across the top. The vanilla and mocha cake was decorated with small white and pink roses with green stems winding their way around the top.

Allyson raised her glass of wine to JC and nodded, mouthing “thank you” in his direction.


As Allyson blew out the candle on her piece of cake, she wrapped her arm around JC’s. This was beyond anything she could imagine.

“I can’t believe you did this,” she said.

“I told you, you only turn 30 once. We’re going to do it right.”


Throughout the night, JC and Allyson made the rounds, while Liz spent most of the night chatting with the *NSYNC guys.


As the couple returned to their group, they entered in the middle of a discussion about bus pets.


“Oh it’s gotta be this one! Busta was cute, but dang he stunk! Our bus always smelled like animals,” Lance said as he pointed to Chris.

“Are you kidding? What about your ferret?” Chris interrupted quickly. “Dirk. That thing was way worse than Busta.”

“Yeah, he did have a stench to him, didn’t he?” Lance nodded his head with a chuckle.

“Yeah, uh uh. Don’t blame Busta.”

JC joined the circle next to Justin. “Thank you for never having a pet on our bus.”

“Dude, great party!” Justin turned to him.

“How have you enjoyed it? It is for your birthday, after all,” Lance asked, turning the attention toward Allyson.

“This has been a birthday beyond my wildest imagination,” she said, grinning back.


As 10:30 rolled around, the party was coming to its end.

“Hey, guys, I know it’s starting to clear out, but y’all know you can stay as long as you want,” JC said to his brothers.

“Cool,” Joey said, taking a seat on his sofa and propping his feet up on the natural wood coffee table.

“What, do you want a beer too?” Chris joked with him.

“Sure, if you’re offering.”

“No,” Chris laughed as he sat down next to him.

“Fine! Ya jerk,” Joey said smiling through a side-eye at Chris.


While JC was playing host and replenishing the drink offerings, Allyson was coming back from the half-bath downstairs, which was at the end of a narrow hallway that also led to the laundry room.

As she was walking out, suddenly two people were rushing toward her in the opposite direction. They were going so quickly that she couldn’t even register who they were, but they tried to squeeze three-wide in a hallway that barely accommodated two people at once, pushing Allyson into the wall by accident.

“Oh I’m sorry,” the taller of the two men said quickly in a blur before taking off again at a near-sprint.

“It’s fine,” Allyson smiled back. Something about the way he pushed her against the wall brought memories of the other day to her mind, thinking about being trapped under Paul. She sunk into a squat against the wall as a single tear escaped her eye.

Why is this happening? she asked herself. I’m in a hallway in JC’s house, not in a car with a friend-turned-stranger. Someone just bumped into me. I’m not trapped. And JC got me away from Paul before anything could happen.

She stayed in a crouch as she wiped her eyes and tried to compose herself, hoping her face didn’t look red and puffy.

As she stood up, JC came around the corner on his way to get more ice from the second freezer.

He could tell just by looking at her that something wasn’t right.

“Hey,” he said, stopping in front of her. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing. I’m fine,” she said, her voice not quite quivering but not strong either.

“Allie, don’t lie to me. What happened? This is your birthday party. You’re supposed to be having the best time out of everyone.”

“I just started thinking about the other day,” she said, looking down at her feet before rolling her eyes with a chuckle. “I know, it’s stupid to still think about it.”

“No, no,” JC said, holding onto her shoulders, bending down to catch her downcast gaze and bring her eyes back up to him. “It’s not stupid at all.”

“Nothing even happened, but getting pushed up against the damn wall by accident makes me do this,” she said, bending her arms up to then extend them out again beside her.

“Hey, hey, don’t say nothing happened. Just because it wasn’t worse than what it was does not mean nothing happened.”

“OK,” she said in a dismissive tone.

“Look at me. Allie, look at me. I’m serious,” he said, as she brought her eyes back up to his. “You went through something I can’t understand, but I’m here to listen if you want and love you through it.”

She smiled up at him, whispering, “Thank you.”

“Do you want to go back out there or do you want me to chase everyone out?”

“Let’s go back out,” she said. “Who all’s still here?”

“I think mainly just Liz and the guys.”

She nodded.

“Hold on,” JC said, taking a napkin to dab some tears that threatened to fall from her eyes. “There,” he smiled.

“Thank you,” she smiled back, kissing him on the cheek as she took his open hand.


JC was right. The only people left were JC’s four bandmates, Jimmy and Liz.

“We chased everyone off, hope that’s OK,” Chris joked from the couch.

“Fine by me,” Allyson laughed.

Jimmy approached JC and Allyson. “Hey, I’m going to head out too. I didn’t want to leave without saying goodbye though.”

“Thanks, man. Appreciate you.”

“Yeah, likewise,” he shook JC’s hand. “Happy birthday, Allyson.”

 

“Thank you, Jimmy,” she hugged one of her new friends.

 

Chapter 31 by TurtlenecksAndTea

“And then there were five,” Liz laughed as she sat down in an open chair.

“This is much more my speed,” Allyson said as she sat on an ottoman near the chair JC had been sitting in earlier.

“Yeah, I like entertaining, but this is the best part of the night,” JC said, taking his seat behind Allyson.


She leaned back against the seat of the chair, her shoulders in line with JC’s knees. He leaned forward to hug her shoulders from behind. He kissed her cheek before leaning back, but kept his hands on her shoulders. It was his way of letting her know he was there. It was a comfort she needed in that moment.


“So how did you enjoy your birthday?” Lance asked Allyson.

“It’s probably one of the most special ones I’ve had in a long time.”

Justin pointed to JC, “Yeah, he’s good at throwing parties, even if he doesn’t like them for very long.”

 They all just laughed.

“Actually, speaking of birthdays. Would y’all do me a favor?” Allyson asked the room.

The four guys on the couch shrugged in unison. “Sure.”

“What can we do for you, birthday girl?” JC asked from behind her.

“I want to surprise Shannon,” she smirked at JC. “She’s going to die.”

JC let out a hearty laugh. “OK by me.”

They all nodded with Lance being the brave one to ask, “Who’s Shannon?”

“One of my best friends in D.C. She and I both love y’all, and she will lose her mind that I’m with y’all.”

“I’m always up for making a girl lose her mind,” Joey said.

“Dude!” Chris said, shaking his head.

“What?” Joey said to laughter.

JC just shook his head too. “Let’s do it. I’ll go get my laptop.”


A little more than a minute later, JC returned with his laptop and Allyson was logging into her Skype account.

The internet ring began and a dark screen answered.

“Hello? Allie?”

“Hey, I’m sorry it’s late, but I’m celebrating my birthday in LA tonight, and I wanted you to be a part of it.”

She tilted the computer so JC was in the frame. “Hi again,” he said.

“WHAT?” Shannon screamed as she flipped on a light in her room. Everyone laughed at her reaction because Allyson had called it. “I mean, hi JC. Good to see you again.” JC let his head fall forward as he laughed. It was 2 a.m. in D.C. by now, but she knew Shannon would still be online on a Saturday night. Obviously they had caught her just in time. 

“I’ve got a few more friends if you want to see.”

“What are Joey, Chris, Lance and Justin there too?” she asked facetiously. Allyson just smirked without saying a word. “No! Allie, no don’t tell me you’re there with all of them?!”

Allyson turned the computer around to show the four guys lounging on the couch. “Hi, Shannon,” they all said together waving at the computer.

“OH MY GOD!!!” she yelled. “HI *NSYNC!!”

Allyson turned the computer back around to face her and saw Shannon’s mouth was still wide open in shock.

“Can you bring them home with you?”

Allyson chuckled. “I’ll see what I can do.”

“I guess I don’t have to ask how your birthday’s been,” Shannon said with a laugh. “I expect more details when you get back.”

“You got it. I’ll talk to you later.”

“Laters,” Shannon said. “Bye JC! Bye *NSYNC!” she yelled over the speakers

“By Shannon,” they all yelled back as they ended the video call.


“Well that was as entertaining as I hoped it would be,” Chris laughed.

“I told you she’d freak out!” Allyson said. 

“And you did not undersell,” Lance said. “And I think that’s my first Skype fan encounter.”

“Always a first,” JC said with a light laugh that spread throughout the room.


“Thank you, JC, for probably the most LA birthday I’ll ever have,” Allyson looked up at JC.

“Of course,” he said, kissing the top of her head. “But the party was the last of what I had planned, so the rest of the night is a free-for-all.” He turned his attention to the room. “It’s fine with me if y’all stay, but I think birthday girl here has the final say.”

“Yeah, of course! I’d love it.”

“Thanks, but we weren’t leaving anyway,” Chris said quickly.

“Good because I wouldn’t want you to,” Allyson smiled back. “But can I pick what we do?”

“As long as it doesn’t involve a bed or watching us, that’s fine with me. I’ve seen myself enough, and I’ve seen just about all of him that I ever want,” Justin said as he started to point to JC and chuckle.

“Hey, I make this look good,” JC said as he stood up and modeled the charcoal gray V-neck shirt he had paired with dark wash jeans cuffed at the bottom.

“Yeah sit down, Fabio,” Joey said. “What do you want to do tonight?” There was a sweet genuineness to his voice as he nodded toward Allyson.

She laughed. “Can I be honest? I really just want to watch Disney movies.”

JC squeezed Allyson’s shoulders. He knew Disney was a comfort watch for her. “I think we can arrange that,” he said as he walked toward the cabinets along the same wall as the TV.

With the flip of a latch, he opened the cabinets to reveal just about every Disney movie – animated and feature length – that had been produced since Snow White in 1937.

“Oh my… What?” Allyson gawked as she stood up and walked toward the cabinets, taking in the collection before her.

“Take your pick.”

“Do you have Aladdin?”

He nodded with a smile. “Y’all go get whatever you want and I’ll get this set up.”

“Anyone want anything?” Justin asked as he headed toward the kitchen.

He didn’t have any takers, but Allyson joined him in the kitchen to pour a glass of milk for herself.

“Going hard I see,” he laughed.

“You know it,” she laughed as she clinked her glass with Justin’s beer.

They walked back into the living room to see JC relocated to the recliner with the remote in hand, ready to play the movie.

Justin took his seat, and Allyson questioned what to do. She wanted to sit with JC in the recliner, but she wasn’t sure if that was appropriate just yet.

She walked a little slower than usual and caught his eye. It was as if they were telling her it was OK, and he moved over in the chair as she got closer.

She was close, but not on top of JC, and it felt right.

“We ready?” JC asked the room.

“Yep,” everyone answered.


Allyson looked over at Liz and she smiled at her, as she scooted her chair a little closer to the couch. At least she wasn’t the third wheel. Instead she was the fifth wheel. But she didn’t mind, given the company.


“Happy birthday, Allie,” JC whispered into Allyson’s ear as he kissed her cheek and pushed play on the movie.

She giggled and placed a quick kiss on his lips. “Thank you for a great celebration.”

“What was your favorite part?”

“All of it. What was yours?”

“This, right here,” he said.

She instinctively wiggled a little closer to him in the chair, resting her head on his shoulder, content, as “Arabian Nights” began to play through the surround sound speakers in the living room.

 

JC looked down at her and then continued his gaze across to his brothers sitting on the couch. This might have all been for Allyson’s birthday, but he couldn’t think of a better night.


Chapter 32 by TurtlenecksAndTea

As the movie ended, the guys and Liz started to gather their belongings. Joey was staying with Lance while in LA, and Chris was staying with Justin for the trip.

One by one, they each wished Allyson a happy birthday as they headed toward the side door that led to the driveway.


“Hey, hon, I’m going to head back,” Liz said, yawning as she said it, about to call a cab.

“No,” JC said. “They both only have a 15-minute drive. I have an extra bedroom you’re more than welcome to use. Then, I’ll take you and Allie back to your place tomorrow.”

Yawning again, Liz did not argue and nodded her head. “What a birthday!” she said, hugging Allyson.


“Here, let me show you where the room is and give you the quick tour,” JC said, leading Liz throughout the house.

Allyson sat back down in the chair and smiled to herself, letting the reality of her birthday celebration sink in.


A few minutes later, JC returned to the lower level and Liz called down from the middle of the staircase to say goodnight.

Allyson waved back to her friend.


“Hey,” JC said, coming up behind Allyson and kissing her on the cheek. “I’ve got one more present for you.”

“What?” Allyson asked, turning to look at him. “What do you call all of this tonight?”

“A party,” he said with a smile. “But I have one more thing for you, if you’re not too tired.”

“No, no,” Allyson said, sitting up again.

JC chuckled. “OK, then, come with me,” he said, grabbing her hand to lead her to the lower level.


He led her into a rich wood-paneled room that had a treadmill in one corner alcove and a piano, a drum kit and four guitars spread throughout the larger main area.

“Welcome to the studio,” he said with a grin, still holding onto Allyson’s hand.


“What are we doing down here?” she asked in awe of the room.

“Your last gift is in here,” he said, meeting her questioning eyes with a smirk.


JC hit a button, and the familiar song she had heard earlier in the year began playing through the speakers in the studio.

“Oh I loved this song, Josh,” she said as she heard his vocals begin. They were standing at the soundboard, and JC instinctively wrapped his arms around Allyson as they swayed to the song.


When you need someone,

When it’s all gone wrong,

You’ll see that

I will be there for you always.

When the lights go out,

And the world breaks, 

And your heart aches,

I will be there for you always... all of the days
Always


Turn around

You feel like it’s all gonna change

It’s written on your face

But girl don’t be afraid


Let’s talk about us

And the promises we made

How they still mean the same

The questions in your heart can’t be erased


You say I won’t come home

And that I’m leaving you alone, I know

But you’ll always be with me wherever I go

Close your eyes, 

Hear what my voice says,

It all comes down to making choices.


When you need someone,

When it’s all gone wrong,

You’ll see that

I will be there for you always.

When the lights go out,

And the world breaks, 

And your heart aches,

I will be there for you always... all of the days
Always


Can you hear me now?
Do you know how much you mean to me?
I'm just a heartbeat away,
So girl don't be afraid

See time goes by so slowly
Every second of the day
I'm so lonely
In my heart you’re the one and only,
And I can't wait for you to hold me

Close your eyes,
Hear what my voice says,
It all comes down to making choices

When you need someone,
When it's all gone wrong,
You'll see that
I will be there for you always.
When the lights go out,
And the world breaks,
And your heart aches,
I will be there for you always... all of the days
Always

Every night,
Every night I walk outside.
I feel you everywhere,
I see you in the sky

When you need someone,
When it's all gone wrong,
You'll see that
I will be there for you always.
When the lights go out,
And the world breaks,
And your heart aches,
I will be there for you always

When you need someone,
When it's all gone wrong,
You'll see that
I will be there for you always.
When the lights go out,
And the world breaks,
And your heart aches,
I will be there for you always... all of the days
Always


“I will be there for you… always,” JC said into Allyson’s ear as they stood there, still swaying even after the last note faded to silence.

He hadn’t noticed, but Allyson had started to cry, softly. She wiped some tears off her cheeks and caught his attention.

“Oh no, did you hate it? Did I overstep?” JC panicked, turning her to face him.

“No, not at all. That’s the most beautiful thing I’ve heard. You wrote that for me?”

JC looked down and smiled as he nodded shyly.


 “I had it 90% done yesterday, but you inspired me, so I ended up adding a couple verses today after the beach.”

“What? Really?”

“Mhmm.”

She smiled at him before reaching up to wrap both arms around his neck. “Always?”

“Always,” he pressed his forehead against Allyson’s. “I’ll always be just a heartbeat away,” bringing his lips to meet hers for a quick kiss. “It was true in D.C., in New York, here, and will continue to be true wherever life leads us.”

Allyson cupped JC’s face and placed another soft, tender kiss on his lips.


He grabbed her hand and led her to a dark brown leather couch a couple feet away from where they were standing.


As they sat down, each placing one knee on the couch to face each other, she asked, “So when did you start writing that?”

“About three months ago,” he said with a laugh.

“Wow!”

“Honestly, I had it mostly complete three months ago too,” he said as he locked eyes with her again. “I just didn’t want to share all of it with you just yet, and I’m glad I didn’t. Happy birthday.”

“I couldn’t ask for a better gift,” she said, scooting closer to kiss him more deeply than before.

They both moaned into each other’s mouths as the kiss intensified.

“Wait,” JC said as they came up for air. “You know I didn’t write that for this. I wrote what I feel and all that I feel about you.”

“I know. And it’s one of the most thoughtful, meaningful and beautiful things anyone has ever done for me,” Allyson said, throwing her arms around his neck to hug him before capturing his mouth again.


After a few more passionate kisses, they forced themselves to separate and laughed as both their lips and cheeks were more flushed than when they walked into the studio.


“I think you have a decision to make, though,” JC said.

“What are you talking about?”

“Where are you sleeping tonight?”

“Josh!”

“What? It’s a legitimate question,” he chuckled. “I gave away the guest room, so are you sharing a bed with me or Liz – or do you want the couch? And, Allie, I promise, if you choose me, I truly mean just share a bed. I won’t do anything you don’t want to do, and won’t be upset if you choose Liz.”

“Let’s get one more slice of cake, and by the time we finish, I’ll make a decision,” she said diplomatically.

“Deal.”


They quietly made their way to the kitchen. Allyson sat on one of the stools at the island in the middle of the large kitchen as JC got a couple small plates and utensils.

“Milk or decaf?” JC asked.

“I think milk.”

“Me too,” he smiled.

With two glasses of 2% milk in either hand, he joined Allyson at the island.

“Cheers to 30,” JC said, raising a forkful of cake.

“Cheers to new adventures,” Allyson smiled as she met his fork with hers.


They each made their way through their cake slices, and as Allyson scooped up her last bit of cake and icing, JC walked their plates to the sink to rinse.

“So what’s it gonna be?” he asked.

Allyson got up and walked over to where JC was standing by the sink. “Would you get the wrong idea if I asked to stay with you tonight?”

“Not at all. Now, if you start asking me to do certain things, I might,” he said with a cheeky smile that made his eyes squint.

She giggled and cupped his face. “Just sleep.”

 

“Just sleep, got it,” he said, kissing her nose.


Chapter 33 by TurtlenecksAndTea

Allyson’s breath caught in her throat as she walked into the taupe-colored room that featured minimal wall decorations, except for a few black-and-white abstract paintings, and a wall of floor-to-ceiling windows that led to the balcony.

“Bathroom is right in there, and I’ll get you some clothes to change into,” he said, not realizing how quickly Allyson’s mind was racing.

Allyson grabbed her glasses out of her bag and walked into the bathroom, leaving the door open, to wash her face. “You don’t happen to have a spare toothbrush, do you?”

“Look in the far-right cabinet,” JC answered from the bedroom.

“Got it.”

“Here’s some clothes if you want,” he said as he approached the door with an oversized black Deus Ex Machina shirt and another pair of basketball shorts.

“Perfect,” she said, taking the offering. “I’ll be right out.”

“Take your time.”

With the privacy of a closed door, Allyson couldn’t contain herself and began jumping up and down – quietly so JC couldn’t hear on the other side – and silently screaming about the situation she found herself.

A little less than 10 minutes later, she traded places with JC.


As JC did his bedtime routine in the bathroom, Allyson looked at the bed, unsure of which side to choose. As she heard the door open, she tried to make it look like she was searching for something in her purse, so it wasn’t obvious she didn’t know what to do next.

“Good, there,” she said quietly to herself – but loud enough for JC to hear – as she closed her purse.

“Which side do you want?” JC asked.

A wave of relief washed over Allyson. “Whichever one you don’t take.”

He laughed. She played it off, but he knew what she was doing. She was the most considerate overnight guest he’d had.

The king-size bed was centered on the opposite wall from the door. “I usually take the right side, but I really don’t have a preference.”

“OK, then I’ll take the left,” she smiled as she walked toward the balcony side of the bed.


There was an awkwardness between them as they both crawled into bed, not sure how exactly to act. Typically, when JC had someone in his bed, the expectation was easily understood: sex and maybe coffee the next morning, but not always.


Oh, man, this was a mistake, he thought to himself as he sighed, laying on his back staring at the ceiling fan spinning above their heads to circulate the air.


What am I doing? Allyson thought as she stared out the windows. If I was anyone else, he’d probably just bang me, and we’d go about our business.


“Are you comfortable?” JC finally asked.

Allyson sat up. “I think I might move over to Liz’s room.”

“Does this feel weird to you too?”

“Very,” she said with a relieved laugh.

“Oh good!” JC exhaled, placing his arms on his chest. Typically, he slept in his boxer-briefs only, but with Allyson there, he left his white short-sleeve undershirt on and put on one of his few pairs of gray boxers instead of his boxer-briefs. “Not that I’m glad it feels weird, but I’m glad it’s not just me feeling weird about it.”

“No, not just you at all. I was fine earlier, but this is just, I don’t know, just different.”

“It is,” he said, sitting up with her. “So how do we fix that?”

“I don’t want to mess things up, so still just sleep,” she said, setting that line. “But maybe a cuddle?”

“I could do a cuddle,” he smiled, laying back down onto the pillows.

“But remember just sleep,” she said, pointing at him with a smile.

He threw his hands up in surrender. “I’m not gonna do anything. You say cuddle, I cuddle. You say back off, I back off.”

“OK, just so we’re on the same page.”

“Same page.”

She nodded as she laid back down facing JC as he turned to face her too.


“I had my suspicions you slept on the right side of the bed.”

He shook his head with a confused look on his face. “What?”

“In D.C., when I had to stay the night and you let me have the bed, I guessed you were a right-side-of-the-bed sleeper.”

“The start of our friendship,” he smiled.

“It was,” she smiled, putting both her arms under her head.

They stared at each other for a few moments, just smiling. The awkwardness was fading quickly.

“So how do you want this cuddle to go?” he asked, “I’ll do whatever you want. We’re still celebrating your birthday, remember.”

Her face got more serious. “Can you just hold me?”

“Of course,” he said with a kind, gentle smile as he extended his arms.

Allyson slid into his arms like a sideways hug, her head burrowing into his chest as she curled up a little. He opened his legs a little and let her knees slide between his knees as he wrapped his arms around her.

“Like this?”

“This is perfect.”

JC smiled, kissing the top of Allyson’s head as her head rested on his chest and her hands played with the fabric of his shirt.

With his arms wrapped around her, she felt safe, secure and loved.

“Let me know if your arm falls asleep,” she said with a laugh.

“Don’t worry about it.”


“I’m glad you came out to LA,” he said.

“I am too. Even though I hate what led to us being here, I’m glad we’re here,” she looked up at him.

“Me too,” he smiled as they shared a quick kiss. “These arms will only ever take care of you.”

She smiled and gave him another quick kiss before readjusting so her back was now against JC.

“Oh sorry, I just assumed you were used to big spoon,” she said as she settled into her new position.

“This is what I’m used to,” he said, the smile apparent in his voice.

JC kept his hands wrapped around her waist, but was very deliberate in their placement. Not too high, but not too low either. He found the perfect sweet spot around her natural waist. Without thinking, Allyson instinctively took her left arm and interlaced her fingers with JC’s, her thumb caressing his.

“This is perfect,” he whispered.

 

She squeezed his hand as she agreed. He rubbed his thumb against her stomach briefly. Then, he heard her breathing deepen, indicating she was on her way to dreamland. He was not far behind.


Chapter 34 by TurtlenecksAndTea

JC and Allyson stayed cuddled all night until they were both awoken at about 6:30 with the sunlight streaming into the bedroom.


“Good morning,” JC said softly into Allyson’s ear as he rubbed his thumb against Allyson’s stomach again.

“Morning,” she smiled, placing her hand on top of his, squeezing his fingers a little.


She stretched her arms and legs in the bed and felt a little more of JC than she had the night before as she settled back into his arms again.

“Oh God,” she yelped, shooting her hips forward.

“Sorry, sorry!” he said as he moved his hips in the opposite direction.

“It’s fine, just a surprise. Well, I’m awake now, and it seems so are you!” she said, both bursting out in laughter after trying to stifle it.

“It is morning,” he laughed, his smile reaching his eyes as he blushed.


With his hips still arched away from Allyson’s backside, JC moved his upper body forward to wrap his arms around her and grab hold of her left hand.

“So, how did you sleep?”

“Great! It is nice to wake up next to you,” she said, leaning her head against him as she slightly turned her head to see him out of her peripheral.

“Mhmm,” he whispered into her ear as he rubbed her lower arm and planted a kiss on her cheek.


Allyson’s phone buzzed, and she reached over to see the message. It was from Liz: Up, just in my room.

“Liz is up already, so breakfast?” she said as she turned to face JC.

“I can do breakfast,” he smiled as they shared a quick morning kiss. “I could also spend all day like this.”

“Me too, but we can’t forget Liz. She is the reason I’m even in LA, remember?”

“Of course. Remind me to thank her for getting you out here, by the way,” he chuckled as he stole one more kiss.

She smiled as he rolled out of bed. She looked back at her phone and texted Liz back: Meet you in the kitchen in 10.


“I might not be able to do dinner foods, but pancakes I can do. That sound good?” JC asked the women standing at his island.

“The pair looked at each other and smiled, both nodding their heads. “Works for us!” Allyson said.

“Thank you for letting me stay the night last night,” Liz said.

“Of course!” JC said, getting out a large frying pan. “It’s the least I could do. So what’s on the agenda for you two today?”


“Well, since my flight leaves Friday, we were going to spend today and tomorrow in Disney,” Allyson said, getting a nod from Liz to confirm that was still the plan. “I haven’t been to Disneyland in my adult life.”

“Oh y’all are gonna tear it up, aren’t you?!” JC said with a smile as he stirred the pancake mix.

“We’ll have a good time, I think,” Liz said with a smile.

“I don’t doubt it. So what’s on your Disneyland bucket list, Allie?”

“Everything,” she laughed. “Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, the Tea Cups, Big Thunder Mountain, everything in California Adventure, shoot, even Dumbo!”

JC laughed as she rattled off the attractions. “Just take my advice, pace yourself.”

Allyson smiled and nodded.


JC added the final pancakes to the growing stack on the plate.

“Dang, these look delicious,” Allyson said, genuinely surprised. “If I hadn’t seen you trying to bake pasta, I’d think you knew your way around the kitchen.”

“Ha-ha,” JC said sarcastically. “I know my breakfast food.”

“Thank you for breakfast, JC,” Liz said with a smile. “I feel like I should’ve been making breakfast for you. You really didn’t have to let me stay the night, but I appreciate you letting me crash.”

“No problemo! I know it’s a drive out to Pasadena.”

Allyson took one regular pancake and one blueberry pancake, both perfectly fluffy, and drizzled syrup over the top. The moment of truth, she brought the first bite to her lips. “Oh my God, JC! These are amazing.”

“Well I guess I know what I’m making any time it’s my turn to cook,” he laughed.

“Mhmm,” she nodded, her mouth full of pancake.

Liz nodded her head in agreement as she got her first taste. “Yeah, anytime you want to come by or invite us over to try new ingredients, you just let me know. I’m a breakfast for dinner fan too.”

As they finished breakfast, JC picked up the dishes and loaded them into the dishwasher.


“Well, I oughta get my things from upstairs, and then I’ll be ready to go, Allie,” Liz said.

“OK,” Allyson said as she watched Liz walk up the stairs.

JC had moved from the sink to where Allyson was standing by the island. “Do you have anything upstairs?”

“I think I have everything,” she said, turning to smile at him. “Thank you for everything.”

“I hope you had a good birthday, sweetie,” he said, his arm reaching around her waist.

“I did. It was everything I could have wished for and more.”

“Good! That’s all I ever wanted.”

“And all you ever needed?” Allyson quickly added with a smirk.

JC gave her an amused look and chuckled, “I walked into that, didn’t I?”

“Yeah you kinda did,” she laughed, squeezing her arms that were now wrapped around his waist.

JC leaned over and kissed the top of Allyson’s head. “Do me a favor, double check that you have everything. I don’t want you to miss out on Disney time because you have to come back here.”

Allyson laughed, “OK.”


He watched as Allyson walked across the living room to the stairs and leapt up the slightly curved staircase.


Walking into the master bedroom, Allyson looked around the room – on the bed, on the dresser, in the bathroom. Then, when she got to her side of the bed and looked at the nightstand, there was an envelope with her name on it. It wasn’t anything she brought or a gift she received. Curious, she picked it up and carefully loosened the seal. It did have her name on it, after all.

Inside, she found a sheet of paper thoughtfully folded. Opening the piece of paper, she saw handwritten lyrics to the song JC had played for her. At the top, he had scrawled out “Always” as the title.

She smiled to herself as she read the lyrics. As she finished reading the song, she heard rustling and looked up, still smiling, to see JC standing in the doorway.

“Good, you found it,” he said, casually leaning against the door frame.

“This is incredible!” she said, holding the paper against her chest. “Best birthday gift, maybe ever.”

He blushed a little as he smiled at her.

“When did you do this?” she asked as she made her way around the bed to where he was standing.

“Before the party, basically once I finished the song, I wrote a clean copy of the lyrics. I knew I wanted you to have them. Most of that song is inspired by you.”

Allyson threw her arms around his neck and kissed him hard on the lips. “Thank you so much. This is getting framed and hung up in my room. How often can you say JC Chasez wrote a song for you?”

“Well, I’m glad you like it, baby.”

“I love it! You’re setting the bar pretty high for yourself, though, don’tcha think?”

“Nah, I’m setting the bar high for you,” he smirked. “My birthday’s in August.”

“Oh I’ve already got your gift picked out. We’re taking cooking classes.”

He gave her a puzzled look.

“No, I’m kidding! I’ll do my best to live up to the bar you’ve set.”

“Come on, let’s get you off to the Happiest Place on Earth.”


They made their way downstairs to find Liz looking at the Disney movie collection JC had in the still-open cabinet.

“Perks of being in the Disney family,” JC said, making Liz jump.

“This is truly amazing,” she said.

“Yeah I don’t have to wonder what I have available to watch, that’s for sure,” he said.


“Thank you, again, for everything,” Liz said, giving JC a hug.

“Not a problem at all. Thanks for getting Allie to California.”

“Happy to help,” she smiled back.


“Are we still on schedule?” Allyson asked Liz.

“Yeah, we’ll be good,” Liz said, before turning her head to face JC. “We planned on getting there about 10, so we should make it right around there.”


About that time, a security system on the wall near the door buzzed. JC not only had a security gate with a keypad, but it also had a camera that was connected to a small monitor in the house.

“Well, damn James Bond,” Liz joked.

“You can never be too careful,” he shrugged. “Enough people know me and where I live, especially since I’ve had this home since 2000, that I will do anything I can to protect my privacy, my people and my home.”

“I get it,” she said, taking note of how seriously he responded as he touched a few buttons to open the gate and allow the driver to pull into the driveway. Allie did not want to make JC drive out to Pasadena and back just to drop them off, so he asked the same car service as picked them up the night before to drive them to Liz’s.


He walked the women to the door, and with a grand gesture said, “Your carriage awaits.”

“Thank you,” Liz said, giving JC a quick hug. “I really appreciate it.”

“Yeah, have fun at Disney.”

He turned his head back toward the living room and was met by Allyson’s gaze. Without a word, she threw her arms around his neck again, throwing all of her body weight behind it. “I can’t thank you enough. This has been an amazing birthday.”

As he wrapped his arms around her waist, he said, “It was just as amazing on my end. I can’t believe I found someone like you.”

She smiled, but kept it to herself this time that he had just paraphrased another *NSYNC song.

“Have the best time at Disneyland. From now on, I’ll always be just a heartbeat away from you.”

She squeezed him even tighter and kissed him squarely on the lips. “Thank you!”

He watched as they climbed into the all-black sedan. 


As Liz and Allyson started the ride back to Pasadena, it was somewhat quiet, not wanting to say anything in front of the driver. But after about 15 minutes, Liz couldn’t help it. She had contained herself for hours now.

“Soooooo?” Liz asked.

“So what?” Allyson said with a smirk, knowing full well what her friend was asking.

“How did you sleep?”

“Like a baby, until the sun blinded me in my eyes.”

Liz smirked and squinted her eyes. “You know what I’m asking.”

“Nothing happened,” Allyson said through a laugh. “I had a great night’s sleep next to someone who I really, really like.”


They left it at that until getting home, choosing instead to discuss Disney and make a game plan.

Then, as soon as the pair walked through the door, Liz sat her purse down and turned to Allyson. “OK, Allie, it’s just us now. Tell me for real, do you love him?”

Allyson blushed. “Yeah,” she nodded shyly. “I don’t know that I’m in love with him at this point, but, yeah, I care about him and would say that I love him.

 

Liz cheered upon hearing the words tumble from Allyson’s lips. “I was really hoping that would be your answer!”


Chapter 35 by TurtlenecksAndTea
Author's Notes:

We're headed to Disneyland!

Passes in hand, Liz and Allyson walked through the gates of Disneyland a little after 10, and Liz watched as Allyson’s eyes went wide, taking in the scene. Liz loved watching people’s re-introduction to Disney when they could really soak it in.

Allyson could only smile. It really was the Happiest Place on Earth.

“First things first, we need to hit Main Street and get you some ears!” Liz said almost as excited as she had been the entire time Allyson had been there.

“Should I get the same ones you have?” Allyson asked, gesturing to Liz’s black sequin Minnie ears, overwhelmed by the sheer amount of options.

“Try a few on. We’ll have an ear photoshoot,” Liz suggested.

As Allyson tried on different ears – Goofy, Pluto, Mickey, Minnie and balloon styles – Liz took some pictures as Allyson began posing with funny faces.

“I think I like this one,” Allyson said, making her selection.

“I like them,” Liz said as she looked down at her phone.

“What are you doing?” Allyson pried.

“Don’t worry about it, just get your ears. We’ve got a lot of ground to cover!” she laughed.


Forty miles away, JC’s phone dinged. Stepping off the treadmill, he looked at his phone. We might have had a photoshoot, Liz wrote.

JC smiled as he saw photo messages loading. One, two, three, four different poses with various ears. He chuckled, but he was a little jealous he couldn’t be there. He had really enjoyed spending so much time with Allyson and hated to think of her being on the complete other side of the country after this week.

Looks like a great time! I like the polka dots. They’re classic, he sent back.

Liz laughed as she saw the text come back, waiting at the exit for Allyson to make her purchase.


“Would you like me to cut the tag off? Are you wanting to wear these now?” the cashier asked Allyson.

“Oh yes, if you can!”

“Sure, here you go,” as the cast member cut off the price tag. “Have a magical day!”

“Thank you!” Allyson said as she placed a pair of polka dot Minnie ears on her head. “What’s so funny?” she asked Liz, who was still smiling to herself.

“Those are the ones JC liked also,” she smiled.

“No! Did you send those pictures to him?”

“Maybe, but only the best ones. He said he liked the polka dot ones.”

“They’re classic Minnie!”

A laugh burst from Liz again.

“Did he say that too?”

Liz just nodded, “Mhmm.”


The pair made their way around the park, getting a round in on the classic Tea Cups, Dumbo and Big Thunder Mountain with fast passes secured for The Matterhorn and Pirates of the Caribbean.

Their first Disney day was all about Disneyland before going to California Adventure the next day.

“OK, you want to see the afternoon parade, right?” Liz asked Allyson.

“Yes! For sure.”

“OK, well then we’re going to pause rides and get a Dole Whip and get our place along the route.

The Dole Whip was exactly what the hot summer day called for as they sat on the curb of Main Street for the parade to start.

After the parade, they went through their remaining fast-pass rides and got churros before the nighttime Main Street Electrical Parade in California Adventure and a casual stroll along Paradise Pier.

They saw the fireworks across the way in Disneyland, and Liz reassured Allyson fireworks were on the agenda for the next day.


How do you not spend every day at Disney? she texted JC as they were in the car heading out of the parking lot.

Did you have fun?

I didn’t want to leave! We’re doing California Adventure tomorrow. I wish you could come.

Me too. But I like the ears you chose.

Liz told me those were your pick also. Classic Minnie

Classic Minnie. When are you getting out there tomorrow?

9. And I will be sleeping like a baby tonight

I bet. Get some rest.

As JC was finishing up his text conversation with Allyson, a second message popped up from Liz.

Want to surprise Allie again?

JC smiled. He loved surprises, as long as they were for other people and not him. Sure. What did you have in mind?

Want to meet us for fireworks tomorrow?

I’m down. Just tell me when, and I’ll be there.

 

Chapter 36 by TurtlenecksAndTea

Even after an exhausting day in Disneyland the day before, Allyson was up with her 7 a.m. alarm, ready for day two of Disneyland.

It was hot, so Allyson paired her Mickey character tank top with jean shorts and her new ears. Liz chose a similar outfit, only opting for a Disneyland T-shirt rather than a tank top.

 

“First stop, Soarin’ Over California,” Liz said as they took a right to California Adventure first.

“You’re my guide,” Allyson said, following Liz’s lead.

“Trust me, this one is so much better than it sounds.”

“I’m trusting you.”


With only a 30-minute wait, the pair got in line “This must be good if it’s already got a 30-minute wait,” Allyson said.

“It’s probably one of my favorite things to do here,” Liz said.

“Wow, OK then.”

As they waited, they tweaked their game plan to get to California Screamin’ and Mulholland Madness* before using their park hopper to go back to Disneyland to get in The Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain and It’s a Small World before the fireworks.

“OK that was amazing!” Allyson said as they left Soarin’.

“I told you!”

“OK, if we have time, can we do that again?”

Liz just laughed. “Yes.”


One by one, Liz and Allyson knocked out the attractions on their list, stopping once they entered Disneyland to get a quick snack.

As night began to fall, Liz told Allyson they needed to find a place to stand for the fireworks.

“You tell me where to go,” Allyson said.

“We’re going to go up Main Street a little ways and try to get right by the statue where we got a photo yesterday. We should be able to get a pretty good spot before they start roping things off.”

Allyson just nodded, thankful she had an expert to show her how to do Disney.


Just parked. Where are yall? JC texted Liz as she and Allyson found their spot.

On Main Street right in front of the Mickey statue.

On my way

“Perfect,” Liz said as they secured their spot. They had somehow managed to get everything accomplished, including getting a Mickey pretzel and another Dole Whip. “Now, we have about 30 minutes before the show starts.”

“This has been absolutely fantastic. I really get why this is called the Happiest Place on Earth. I have not thought about the job search or anything while I’ve been here.”

“Job search?” Liz asked.

“Yeah. I mean, I’m not going to work as a barista my whole life. I don’t know what I’m going to do, but something.”

“Well, your bed is always available if you have an interview here in southern California.”

“Thanks,” Allyson said with a smile.

With five minutes to fireworks, JC spotted the women. It was not easy getting to them with the ropes up, but he managed to get to where he needed to be.

Liz saw him come up alongside them and moved a little to allow him to get between Allyson and the statue.

Allyson turned to look at Liz’s movement and felt someone moving behind her, so she moved up a little too, not knowing why the person was trying to go behind them when there was a walkway in front of them. Then, JC cleared his throat. Allyson whipped her head around toward the sound.

“Mind if I stand here with you? I love this view,” he said with a smile.

“Oh my God! How did you? When? How? What?” Allyson stammered as she threw her arms around JC’s neck.

“We thought your last full day in California needed to be special.”

“Wait, you knew about this?” she asked, turning her attention to Liz.

“It was her idea,” JC laughed.

Allyson’s arms migrated from JC to Liz.

“You’re amazing!” she said as she let go. “I was just thinking I really wish JC could be here.”

“Your wish is my command,” JC said, dipping into a princely bow.

Allyson couldn’t help but laugh as she kissed him softly.

There was a one-minute warning for fireworks, and Allyson turned around as JC threaded his arms under her arms and around her waist. She laced her fingers with his, content.

As the music started, the lights on Sleeping Beauty’s Castle danced and the first of the fireworks shot up into the clear California sky. Instinctively, Allyson leaned her head back against JC’s chest as she took in the sights and sounds of the show. JC gently bent his head down to kiss Allyson on the top of her head.

 

End Notes:

*Mulholland Madness is now Goofy’s Sky School. In reality, Space Mountain was closed for refurbishment from April-November 2009, but just play along.

Chapter 37 by TurtlenecksAndTea

“So, how are we feeling food wise?” JC asked the women as the duo-turned-trio headed to the parking lot.

“We haven’t had too much to eat today actually,” Liz said, just realizing it herself.

“NORMS is open late, and I passed one on my way over here. Just good all-day breakfast, lunch and dinner.”

Liz and Allyson both looked at each other and agreed.

“Sounds good,” they said almost in unison.

“OK. Liz, you’re going to get on the I-5 and take the exit for Euclid, and it’s right off that.”

“Easy enough.”

“Meet you there!” Allyson said as they walked toward their cars.


About 10:30 they pulled into the NORMS parking lot.

“This is very California,” Allyson said, looking at the sign’s orange and white design.

“It’s definitely a staple, and just always good.”

Not two minutes later, JC pulled in next to Liz’s car. “Ready for some comfort food?”

“Absolutely!” Allyson said.


Without much of a wait, the group was seated promptly at a square four-top table and gazed over all the sweet and savory options on the menu. All three found their orders pretty quickly, leaving the rest of the time open to conversation – until the food arrived.

“So how would you rate your first LA experience?” JC asked Allyson.

Allyson just giggled. “What am I rating it between?”

JC looked at Liz, “0-10? Or 0-100?”

“Let’s go simple,” she said. “0-10.”

“100 out of 10,” Allyson laughed. “Well actually maybe 99 out of 10. No, 99-and-a-half out of 10 because the thing that sucked did lead to something pretty great.” She smiled, knowing both of them knew exactly what she meant.


Soon the plates of breakfast foods were spread over the table and coffee cups full.

“I’m probably going to regret this coffee,” Liz said.

“I know I will. Cheers,” he laughed, holding up his cup.

“I’ll probably need it to get my stuff together tonight.”

“Do you have to leave?” JC asked. “There’s so much more we can show you.”

“I wish I didn’t. But I might be back soon looking for jobs.”

JC just smiled at the prospect of Allyson coming back and living in LA. He didn’t want to admit it, but he was willing to spend quite a bit on airfare just to go to the East Coast if she stayed in DC.


“So, thinking back over everything you did, what was your favorite thing about this trip?” Liz asked.

“Stuff like this,” Allyson answered quickly. “Just being able to hang out with my friend and my boyfriend.” She giggled and blushed as she said boyfriend. It was still so new, and her brain couldn’t quite comprehend that the word was being used to describe JC.

“Wow. I don’t think I expected that,” Liz said. “I thought for sure you would have said the birthday party.”

“Well the birthday party was fantastic, but the movie after most everyone had left is what I’ll cherish even more.”

They all smiled, and JC leaned over to kiss Allyson on the temple.

“I really hope you didn’t have syrup on your lips,” Allyson laughed as she touched her hairline, lightening the mood again.

“No syrup,” JC confirmed.

“But plenty of sugar,” Liz said with a laugh.


“What time is your flight?” JC asked as they were finishing up their meals.

“5, I think. I get in at like midnight Eastern.”

“Ouch. Well, let me know when you’re leaving, and could I stop by before you leave?”

“That’s fine by me,” Liz said. “We’ll have to leave by about 2:30.”

“I’ll be there at noon? Come by and leave so you still have time to do last-minute things?”

“That’ll be fine by me.”

“I’d like that,” Allyson said.

“Great! I will see you tomorrow then,” he said with a radiant smile.


“One of you text me when you get back, yeah?” JC asked.

As they walked into the house, Allyson pulled out her phone to text JC. Home. Thanks for the best surprise


A few minutes passed as JC made his way through the hilly roads to his house. About 10 minutes later, Allyson’s phone pinged. Nothing I’d rather have done tonight. See you tomorrow 

 

Allyson turned her focus to her suitcase, determined to fit everything that she came with back into the bag. 

Chapter 38 by TurtlenecksAndTea

Liz and Allyson sat on the couch watching Liz’s DVD set of Gilmore Girls while they sipped mimosas. Just as Rory was about to head off to Yale, the doorbell rang. It was noon on the dot.

“Aren’t you going to get that?” Liz asked Allyson. “He’s not here to see me.”

Allyson just laughed as she stood up and walked toward the door.

“Hi,” she said softly as she opened the door.

“Hi,” he smiled back as he stepped through the doorway, placing a soft kiss on Allyson’s cheek.

Liz was in the process of turning off the TV as the couple entered the living room. “I’ve got some tidying up to do out in the garden. Y’all sit in here and talk. Allie, we need to leave here in two hours, OK?”

“Yes, mom,” she giggled.

Allyson and JC sat on the love seat, not saying anything for a few minutes as Allyson laid her head on JC’s shoulder. Then, Allyson broke the silence. “Is this crazy?”

“What?” JC asked.

“This.” Allyson sat up and looked at JC. “Trying to make this work on different sides of the country. Josh, I know you’re not going to leave California, and I wouldn’t want you to, and I don’t know if I’ll find a job here in LA.”

JC quietly shushed Allyson. “Let’s not worry about that now. I’m sure we can make it work. Our friendship has lasted us being on opposite sides of the country. Why should this be any different?”

“I’ve felt what it’s like to be with you, to be in the same city as you for more than just a few days. I’m afraid it won’t be the same.”

“I won’t lie, Allie, it’s been fantastic having you here and being able to hang out, have deep conversations without cell service or roommate interruptions, surprise you,” he smiled. “But I believe in what this is, and what we have.”

Allyson laid her head back down on his shoulder as JC wrapped his arms around her, interlacing his fingers and resting his hands on her hip.

“I wish I didn’t have to leave.”

“Me too, but I’m stoked to see where this leads. Until you figure out your next move, I’ll come to D.C., and maybe you’ll be back in California at some point.”

“Make use of this degree,” she laughed.

“I’m proud of you, honey. I’ve thought about taking some architecture or engineering classes, just part time, to work toward a degree of my own.”

“You’d be amazing at either.”

“We’ll see. You certainly inspire me,” he said, lowering his head to steal a kiss.


For the next two hours, they laid like that on the couch, talking about anything and everything, soaking up every minute they had with each other before Allyson had to leave.


So lost in each other, neither of them noticed when Liz wandered back into the living room. Smoothly as she could, Liz used her new quiet digital camera to snap a picture of the new couple.


Allyson placed her carry-on in the backseat of Liz’s car. “I’m going to do a quick scan of the house,” Liz said walking back into the house. “We’ll leave in 5 minutes.”

JC and Allyson, both standing beside the car, nodded in Liz’s direction.

“Come here,” JC said as he wrapped his arms around Allyson’s waist. “I’m so glad you came to visit. I don’t think I’ve had a more impactful week.”

“Even D.C. or New York?” Allyson smirked.

“OK, good impactful week. How’s that?” JC laughed. “Thank you for coming up to me in your coffee shop.”

“God, I was so awkward,” Allyson said looking down at the concrete driveway.

“If you hadn’t done exactly what you did, we wouldn’t be here.”

She smiled up at him and stood on her toes to meet JC’s lips with hers.

Without a second thought, JC leaned into the kiss, deepening it, knowing this would have to last both of them for a little while. He knew he would be craving the way her kisses made him feel. He squeezed her into him, being sure to not break the seal their lips had.

They were both breathing a little heavier as the kiss ended, regaining the breaths the other had stolen. “How am I supposed to leave that?” she laughed.

“Believe me, I wish we didn’t have to answer that. I love you, Allie.”

She smiled up at him, almost in shock by what he said. They had talked about love versus in love on the beach, but this felt different.

“I love you too, Josh.”

The two of them spent a few moments just staring into each other’s eyes, almost as if they were trying to freeze time or take a picture of the moment to keep forever in their minds.


Liz was at the door looking out, and waited as long as she could to give the new couple their moment together.

The sound of the door opening caught both Allyson and JC’s attention as they turned toward the sound.

“Almost ready?” Liz asked sympathetically.

“If I have to be,” Allyson sighed.

“I’ll always be a heartbeat away,” JC said softly, leaning his forehead against hers. “Always.”

 

Allyson reached up and cupped JC’s cheek, softly placing a kiss on his lips. “Always,” she repeated.


Chapter 39 by TurtlenecksAndTea
Author's Notes:

Back to D.C.

Liz tried to make the car ride to the airport fun, knowing how bummed Allyson was to be leaving.

“So, JC excluded, what was your favorite thing about this week?” Liz asked.

“Disney, absolutely!” Allyson quickly answered. “Don’t get me wrong, I’ve loved everything we’ve done, and it’s all been a lot of fun, but Disney was special.”

“Disney is special,” Liz said.


The conversation continued, and within the next 45 minutes, Liz pulled into the same parking lot where she had picked up Allyson.

“I’m so glad you finally took my offer to come out to LA,” she said, throwing her arms around Allyson’s neck.

“Me too! This was the absolute best way to celebrate my birthday and the end of school finally!”

“You’ll let me know if you end up finding a job out here on the West Coast?”

“I will. I guess I need to update my resume now, don’t I?” she said, making a face. 

“Don’t stress about it yet. Enjoy what’s left of this trip.”

Allyson laughed a little and nodded.

They hugged each other again as Allyson grabbed hold of her bags and made her way across the airport road to the terminal.


Her heart was sinking. This was all a dream, and she did not want it to end. In her mind, she envisioned JC pulling a Parent Trap move and surprising her in DC to tell her he shouldn’t have ever let her leave LA. Then, reality set in.

This is real life, not a cute movie, she thought to herself.


A few minutes later, as Allyson was waiting to check her bag, her phone buzzed alerting her to a new text message.

It was from JC: I already miss you.

He knew she should be at the airport, so he wasn’t expecting an immediate response, which was good because Allyson didn’t know how to respond. Part of her wanted to call and tell him she missed him too and to come pick her up because she’s not going back. But she knew she had to go back. Even if she did end up moving to LA for good, she had to say goodbye to Shannon and settle things with her apartment.

A small pool of tears began to form in her eyes, making her vision go blurry for a moment.

Taking a deep breath in and a long exhale, she got herself together before stepping up to the counter. Somehow her bag was under the 50-pound weight limit by a half pound, which made her chuckle at her last-minute change of shoes that probably made the difference.


The flight was uneventful – long, but uneventful. She took advantage of the movie options and put on Mamma Mia! to pass the time.


Between the movie and a quick snooze, she was thankful the flight didn’t feel as long as it was.

“Back to reality,” she muttered to herself, as she stepped off the jetbridge and into the terminal.

She pulled her phone out and turned it off of airplane mode and realized she had never texted JC back.

I already miss you, stared back at her from the screen. Now she knew what to do.

Instead of pulling out her phone to text, she pulled up JC’s name and pushed dial.

“Hey!” she said. “I’m so sorry! I should’ve texted you before getting on the flight, but I was so focused on getting checked in and distracting myself from reality.”

He laughed on the other end, “It’s all good. I knew you would be dealing with airport stuff. Believe me, I know airport chaos. So you’re back in DC?”

“Yeah, unfortunately. I wish I were in LA with you. I wish I didn’t have to leave.”

“Me too. But, hey, maybe it won’t be too long!”

“I’ll be looking for jobs this weekend.”

“Babe, do me a favor, OK?”

“What’s that?”

“Don’t pass up a good job on the East Coast because of me.”

“OK?” she questioned.

“I would hate myself if I was the reason you didn’t take a great opportunity. If something presents itself on the East Coast, we’ll make it work. I’d love it if you found something here near LA, but do not pass up a better opportunity just to move here. OK?”

“OK,” she said apprehensively.

“Promise me.” His voice was still just as serious. This was not a joke to him.

“I promise,” she said sincerely.

“Thank you. OK, so now, what’s the plan for tonight?”

“Well it’s 1 a.m.,” she said, laughing as she just realized that fact, “so I think I’m going to go to bed.” She laughed. “A 5 o’clock flight didn’t sound so bad when I was leaving LA. I didn’t think about what time it would be when I got here.”

“Well, be safe, and you can call later if you want. I’m just finishing up in the studio.”

“OK. It might be tomorrow if that’s OK. Now that my body has realized the time, I think I might just collapse when I get home.”

He let out a deep laugh. “In that case, I’ll tell you goodnight. You can let me know you’re home.”

“I will. I love you, JC.”

“I love you too, honey. My bed’s going to feel empty tonight.”

“Dream of me, and I’ll dream of you.”

 

They both laughed, but JC also jotted that line down. He had definitely found his muse.


Chapter 40 by TurtlenecksAndTea

JC looked back at the controls in his home studio and sat back down in the office chair he’d just gotten up from. A soft, lullaby-esque melody started to play in his head and made its way out of his lips as a hum.

Just as soon as he sat down at the panel, the words came to his head and he began singing and writing. No music, just the words that came straight from his heart.

Dream of me, my love. Dream of me, my darling. Hold me in your arms, and wrap me in your comfort.

Look me in the eyes, and see how much my love’s grown. They say home is where the heart is, and mine tonight’s with you.

As you lay your head down softly, let your heart play with mine.

That voice inside your head saying I am with you now is my soul calling out, longing just to touch you.

I feel your kiss on my lips, love, and your breath on my face. I just wish you were here now, and not just in my dreams.

I hope tonight as you lay sleeping, you feel me reach inside your mind and wrap my arms around you and lay with you tonight.

A thousand miles might be between us, but our souls are intertwined.


“Damn that’s some sappy shit!” he laughed as he paused and looked at what was scribbled on the paper in front of him.

He couldn’t believe how much Allie had changed his life in not only the nearly two years they’d known each other but especially in the last week.


Across the country, Allyson barely made it to her bedroom and into her pajamas before she collapsed onto her bed at 2 in the morning.

As she dreamed, she could feel JC’s arms wrapping her up tightly as she was transported in her sleep to LA again and back onto the couch with JC. She had never thought about the term “man of my dreams,” but she had met the man of her dreams.

Then, another face appeared in her dream: Paul. So startled, she woke up from her deep sleep and sat up in her bed, her heart racing. She groaned as she looked over at the clock that read 7:13 in big block numbers.

She laid her head back down on the pillow and tried to will herself back to sleep with no luck. She laid there staring up at the ceiling, thinking of anything outside of Paul’s face and giving up on the thought of going back to sleep.

“What the hell?” she muttered to herself.

She simultaneously regretted ever going to lunch with Paul and thankful she did. She hated what he’d done, but was grateful for how her relationship with JC developed afterward. “Fuck him.”

After spending an hour and a half tossing and turning and trying to make herself go back to sleep, Allyson pulled out her computer and grabbed her DVD of Romeo + Juliet sitting on the desk near her bed. As tragic as the story is, Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes quoting Shakespeare as two star-crossed lovers always did the trick to take her mind off everything else. She could feel her body relaxing again as the movie played.

As Romeo and Juliet meet each other’s gaze across an aquarium, Allyson felt her eyes getting heavy, drifting back into sleep as Leo’s Romeo realizes his love is a Capulet.


Waking up to the title menu looping asking if she would like to play the movie, Allyson looked at the clock again. It was now 11. She did not exactly feel rested, but she could take on the day.


The first thing she wanted to do when she woke up was call JC and hear his voice, but she knew she couldn’t call him at 4:15 in the morning. He’d likely have answered, but she didn’t want to get anyone up at that hour. Now that it was 8 on the West Coast, she grabbed for her phone and pulled up JC’s contact card.

“Hey, baby, what’re you doing?” he answered, sitting on his balcony with his first cup of coffee.

“Hey, Josh,” Allyson said, still sitting in her bed. “I just really wanted to hear your voice.”

“Allie, what’s wrong?” he asked seriously, sitting up in his chair. “That’s not a good tone.”

“I had an awful dream, and all I wanted to do was hear your voice.”

“I’m here, honey. Do you want to talk about it?”

“Not really. It just made me want something comforting, and the only thing I wanted to hear was your voice.”

“I’m here for as long as you need.”

“Can we just stay on the phone and pretend like we’re together?”

“I’d love nothing more,” he said sincerely.

Allyson laid her head back down on the pillow and continued talking with JC for the next two hours as JC watched the clouds blow across the sky over Los Angeles.

“Oh shit,” Allyson said looking at the clock and seeing morning had become afternoon. 

“What?”

“I did not mean to take up two hours,” she said, letting out a little laugh.

“I’m not complaining.”

“I’m not either. Thank you. I guess I should probably get out of bed, though, huh? I’m sure you probably have work to do also.”

“Nothing urgent. How are you feeling now?”

“So much better. Just talking to you sets me at ease.”

“You were on my mind all night, so I was not disappointed to see your name pop up on my screen.”

They laughed. “Good,” Allyson said. “I’ll talk to you later?”

“Sounds good. Love you, babe.”

“Love you too.”


The rest of JC’s afternoon consisted of the studio. He was working with a few new artists, producing their albums with Jimmy at Jimmy’s house.

“So how’s the love-drunk producer?” Jimmy asked as JC strolled into the wood-paneled room.

“Shut up, man!” JC laughed, giving Jimmy a quick hug.

“Things good? I know Allie left yesterday.”

“Yeah. But I’m gone, dude. I’ve never fallen for someone like this. I’ve been falling for that girl for more than a year.”

“So what’s the plan?”

“Unless she moves in the next month, I think I’m going to go out to DC in September and spend Labor Day weekend with her.”

“I’m happy for you, man. I can tell she makes you happy.”

“You have no idea,” he smiled. “I’ve never felt this way about anyone since Kat.”

“Wait, almost got down on one knee and proposed Kat?”

“Yeah, man. I’m telling you, Allie’s beyond words. Nothing about it makes sense, but it feels more perfect than anything else ever has.”

Back in D.C., Allyson had made some scrambled eggs and was getting ready for the day when her phone buzzed.

Um, when do I get the dirt?

Allyson couldn’t help but laugh at the text from Shannon.

Free at 3? Cactus nachos?

Do I ever turn down Cactus nachos and gossip?

Allyson laughed. Cactus Cantina was one of the best places in D.C. to get nachos, and it just so happened to have a great chill vibe that was perfect for recounting her time in LA.

Pulling her hair up into a ponytail, Allyson grabbed her purse and headed toward nachos.

“Oh my God! I’ve missed you!” Shannon said, wrapping her arms around Allyson’s neck.

“I know! And a lot has changed,” Allyson smiled.

“Oh I figured with that little impromptu Skype session. You better have some stories to tell!”

Allyson laughed and looked at the ground. She had forgotten about Skyping Shannon from her birthday party with the *NSYNC guys all there. “I’ll tell you more once we sit down.”

At an off hour, even for a Saturday, they had no wait as they were seated quickly and ordered their nachos to share and a couple drinks.


“I don’t even know where to ask you to start!” Shannon said.

“Well, I’ll start with it was probably the best trip I’ve had in my life,” Allyson said laughing.

“I don’t doubt it. How the hell did that birthday party happen?”

“Well,” Allyson started, as she began retelling the happenings of the last week-plus in LA. She left out Paul from her story, and instead just told Shannon JC saved her from an uncomfortable situation. Shannon didn’t know Paul, and she did not want to go through that again after her experience that morning.

Shannon did not disappoint with gasps, muted cheers and other reactions to the stories.


After about an hour, the nachos were nearly gone and nothing was left of their drinks.

“I cannot believe it!” Shannon said as Allyson finished sharing everything. “You’re living the dream, Allie!”

“I know! I’m waiting to wake up, honestly. I just know it can’t be real.”

Shannon reached over and pinched her arm.

“Ow!”

“Just confirming for you that you’re not fucking dreaming! This is real life. You are fucking dating JC Chasez.”

Allyson put her head into her hands in disbelief.

“So what happens next? I mean, you’re here; he’s in LA.”

“Well, now that I’ve finished my degree, I’m looking for jobs, and we’ll kind of go from there. I wouldn’t be opposed to moving out to California, but he had me promise him that I wouldn’t turn down something good around here.”

“I knew I liked him,” Shannon said. “I don’t want you to leave, but I want you to have your fairytale ending.”

“Well, I haven’t even sent out applications, so let’s not get too ahead of ourselves.”

“OK. You’re still on at the shop right?”

“Yeah, I’ll be there still until I hear anything from any places I apply to.”

“So, tell me, what’s the dream here?” Shannon asked, turning into a job finder.

“Anything in business or marketing, probably, that is not entry level,” Allyson laughed. “But what about you? Are you leaving the shop soon?”

“I’d like to. There’s just not much I can do with an associate’s and a few classes toward a bachelor’s,” Shannon said. Shannon had an associate’s degree in finance and had moved to D.C., like Allyson, for school, but ran out of money halfway through her bachelor’s program at Georgetown and couldn’t take out any more loans. She was 20 hours away from her bachelor’s.

“Hey, if I get a job out in California, why don’t you move out there with me? There’s a lot more public universities out there and I’m sure your credits would transfer.”

Shannon smiled at the offer. “Let’s see where you’re going first. I can deal with tour groups and crazy orders for a little while longer. Oh, speaking of, we have a new peach drink that was introduced while you were gone.”

Allyson couldn’t help but roll her eyes. “OK. I guess that’s what I’m learning Monday.”

Shannon nodded and offered to be her teacher, so they could get it done quickly and actually enjoy themselves a little.

 

That night and Sunday, Allyson sent out applications to companies from major marketing companies to smaller consultant firms throughout the country, but really concentrating on D.C. and Los Angeles.


Chapter 41 by TurtlenecksAndTea

Allyson fell back into her routine at the coffee shop, while JC was in and out of studios getting music ready for other artists.


Over the course of their conversations, JC had a handle on Allyson’s schedule and had confirmed she would be in town without plans Labor Day weekend.

JC called his manager, “Hey, I’ll be out of town for the next few days. I’ll be back on Tuesday, but I will not pick up Saturday through Monday. I am visiting Allyson, and that’s all I’m doing. No work, no appearances.” His request was met without argument.

Normally, JC would avoid morning flights at all costs, but he wanted to spend as much time with Allyson as possible, so by 6 a.m., he was on a plane bound for D.C., scheduled to arrive a little after 2:30.

Being Labor Day weekend, it worked out to have an earlier flight because it was not as packed as the later flights would be.


Arriving at Reagan International Airport without incident but full of excitement to surprise Allyson, JC grabbed his bag off the carousel and almost ran to the Metro to get to Tenleytown as quickly as he could so he could surprise Allyson.


Allyson was washing dishes after finishing up lunch when she heard a knock on the door.

“That’s odd,” she said to herself, turning the water off and drying her hands. She moved closer to the door, but waited to hear if the mystery guest on the other side of the door knocked again. Three knocks, right on cue. 

She made her way to the door and looked out the peephole, not believing her eyes. She had never opened a door faster, her mouth open wide in shock.

“Surprise!” JC said, striking a pose with his arms out.

“What the? How? Hi!” she said, hugging him as tightly as she could before they both moved inside. “What are you doing here?”

“I wanted to surprise my girl,” he said with a cheeky grin.

“Well, consider me surprised. I wondered why you didn’t text me back earlier today. Now it makes sense.”

JC pulled out his phone and looked at the unanswered text he had from her. “What’s on your agenda for today?” he read aloud. “Well, I’m flying to D.C. to surprise a beautiful woman.”

She smiled up at him before pressing her lips onto his. “You’re something else, you know that?”

“Yeah, I know,” he responded with a feigned cockiness.

“Shut up!” she laughed as she hit his arm.


Mandy was gone for the weekend, visiting her family in Cape Cod, so JC and Allyson took advantage by snuggling up on the couch. Mandy was not comfortable with that kind of affection in their shared space.

JC had his legs up on an ottoman as Allyson had her feet stretched out on the couch and her head resting right where JC’s shoulder met his chest.

“This is nice,” Allyson said, as she adjusted herself to a more seated position rather than lounging.

“This is what I miss most about you not being in LA,” JC said, kissing the top of her head, as he wrapped his arm around her midsection, his fingers gently resting on her waist. Allyson’s shirt had come up just slightly to where his fingers were touching her skin directly. The touch created goosebumps all over her body, like it was the first time her skin had felt his fingers.

She shivered a little from the feeling she was having and that it tickled a little, causing JC to question if she was comfortable.

“Yes,” she said, as she snuggled closer to him, allowing his arm to wrap further around her waist to where it almost reached around to her stomach, still resting on her bare skin, thanks to how the shirt shifted over his arm instead of the other way around.

She reached down and interlaced her fingers with his, letting out a content sigh in his ear.

“Exactly,” he said, as Notting Hill returned from a commercial.


After a few hours spent on the couch, Allyson brought up the topic of dinner, knowing JC had only snacked since arriving in D.C.

“Well, I thought I would cook something,” JC said, waiting for a reaction.

“Really?”

“Hell no! But I was doing my research in the airport, and found a few places? I won’t lie to you, Ben’s Chili Bowl seems pretty rad. I know it’s not fancy, but it looks great.”

“It is good! Yeah, let’s go. It’s early enough that we’ve got time to get out there, and we don’t have to change.”

Enjoying a dinner of chili, they discussed more in depth all the places Allyson had applied to and her plan moving forward.

“I’ll wait one more week before I start sending out another round of applications,” she said.

“Stick with it. Something will come up. It has to,” JC said, bringing a spoonful of chili to his mouth.

“I know. I just wish it would be soon.”

It was a little after 8:30 when they arrived back at Allyson’s apartment. JC had originally booked a room at a hotel downtown, but canceled his remaining nights, at Allyson’s suggestion. They debated using the room for one night, but opted to eat the cost of the first night. JC wouldn’t admit it, but he was still nervous about paparazzi getting a photo of him with Allyson. He had been careful, but going in or leaving a hotel with her would make her the center of attention.

“Do you want the couch or the bed?” he asked sincerely, but with a little hint of cheekiness.

“I want to recreate LA,” she said with a smile. 

JC could just chuckle. “Well, OK, then. Bed it is.”


After watching a movie and doing their bedtime routines, Allyson climbed into the bed, and JC filled in the spot next to her, draping his arm around her.

They just smiled at each other for a moment before she confessed, “I’ve never wanted to wake up next to anyone before. I never thought I cared about waking up alone or with someone. Until this. Until you.”

JC smiled and softly kissed her lips. “Remember last time I tried that here?”

They both laughed. “Yeah, things might have changed a little since then,” she said through the laughs.

“Maybe a little. And I’m so glad.”

“Me too,” she smiled back at him before taking her turn to initiate the kiss. “I still can’t believe you flew out here like this. Why?”

“Why not,” he said between kisses. “I missed my girl, wanted to see her, hold her, and I knew you’d be in town and off work.”

“You’re something else,” she smiled, leaning her forehead against his.

“So you say,” he said, pushing a little on her forehead. “So what’s on the agenda for tomorrow?”

“Wanna get brunch and then explore Old Town Alexandria?”

“Sounds perfect,” he said with another kiss before Allyson turned back around, so JC was once again the big spoon.

Just like in LA, they both slept better together than apart.


Opting for a casual brunch near the Capitol, they headed to Zest Bistro and toured the National Mall a little bit afterward before going back to Allyson’s to regroup before going to Virginia.

“Let me check my email real quick before we go,” Allyson said.

“Sure.”

A few moments later, all JC could hear from the other room was, “OH MY GOD!”

“What is it? What happened?” he asked, running into the living room from Allyson’s bedroom?

“I got the job!”

“Congratulations, honey! I told you! Which one is it?”

“I’m coming to California!”

“No way! LA or San Diego?”

“San Diego! I have to call them to officially accept, but the email is offering me the position, so you’re looking at the new senior marketing coordinator for the San Diego Zoo,” she squealed.

Instinctively, JC rushed over and hugged Allyson, picking her up off the ground and swinging her around. “I’m so proud of you, Allie! I told you they’d be fools not to hire you.”

“Let’s celebrate just us, and I’ll tell Liz and Shannon tomorrow.”

“Fine by me. We definitely need to celebrate tonight. Think of a place in Old Town where we can celebrate.”

“OK! I can’t believe it! It’s happening! I can move on from barista.”

“Well, no matter what, you’ll always be my favorite barista,” he said with a wink.

She just hugged him again.


JC had never explored Old Town Alexandria, so they took the afternoon to explore the historic architecture and take in the culture of the town.

Hand in hand they walked along the brick sidewalks, looking at the shop windows before deciding which stores to stop in on their way to the riverfront.

“It’s so quaint,” Allyson said. Everything seemed a little brighter, now that she knew she had been offered one of her top jobs and would be moving to California where she’d be in driving distance from JC.

“Wanna explore some museums?” JC asked.

“Sure,” she smiled. “I am down for whatever.”

JC brought their hands up to his lips and kissed Allyson’s knuckles. “I’m so proud of you. I can tell how happy you are.”

“It will be weird to leave the East Coast and especially to leave this area, but I am so excited for the future.

“Me too,” JC squeezed her hand in his. He would deny this if ever asked, but he was secretly hoping Allyson would get one of the jobs in California before hearing from the firm in D.C. He wanted her close to him, if that was an option.


For the next few hours they continued walking around the town, exploring a public art display, ducking into a photography exhibit and looking in some of the local boutiques. As the sun began to set, they made their way to the Landini Brothers restaurant for a nice Italian meal to celebrate Allyson.

A few seconds before anyone came to take their drink order, Allyson headed toward the bathroom, and JC took advantage of telling their waitress that they were celebrating Allyson’s new job.

“What is her favorite dessert?” she asked.

“Do you have a tiramisu?”

“Do we have tiramisu? We’re an Italian restaurant! We have the best homemade tiramisu. I’ll put it in so it will be ready as soon as you finish dinner.”

“Perfect. Thank you!”

“No problem, sir.”

JC was wearing his glasses, which he had not been doing lately, so it made enough people think he was just someone who looked like JC Chasez – and he was fine with that.


“Cheers to a new chapter,” JC said as he held up his glass of red wine.

“Cheers.” Allyson clinked her glass of her red blend with his. “I can’t wait for this next chapter.”


Dinner went along with both of them clearing their plates of pasta.

“Gah that was amazing!” Allyson said as she leaned back in her chair, her hands resting on her stomach. “I don’t think I can eat one more thing.”

“I thought you wanted dessert?”

“Oh, yeah, let me clarify. There’s always room for dessert.”

He laughed. “OK good.” He caught their waitress’ eye and subtly nodded to let her know they were ready for the tiramisu.

“A special dessert to celebrate,” the waitress said as she laid the plate in front of Allyson.

“Awww!” Allyson was genuinely surprised as she read “Congratulations Allie” in chocolate drizzle on the edge of the plate with cocoa powder dusted lightly all over the plate.

“I told her we were celebrating something special,” JC beamed.

“Thank you! This is wonderful!” Allyson said, looking from JC and up to the waitress, who nodded and took her leave from the table before returning five minutes later with a check.

 

After dinner, the couple strolled along the Potomac River, taking in the sights of the lights reflecting off the water. Allyson leaned her head on JC’s shoulder as they stood hand-in-hand by the water’s edge. “This reminds me of our day on the beach.”

JC didn’t say anything, but just smiled and looked over to kiss Allyson on the top of her head.

“Can we stay here?” she asked absentmindedly.

“We can,” he said in response.

“Wait, really?”

“Sure, why not. We can see if one of these little hotels has any vacancies.”

“But it’s a holiday weekend,” she asked.

“Well, we’ll see what we find. If not, we’ll just go back to D.C. It’s worth asking.”

She smiled and nodded.


“Connected to a nearby restaurant’s Wi-Fi, JC searched for hotels. “Hotel Indigo or Morrison House.”

“Oh let’s see if we can get in at Morrison House!”

“Let’s find out,” JC said as he dialed the number. It was 8, so he was worried the hotel would be full.

 

“Hi, yes, do you have any rooms available for tonight? Yes, just tonight. A king would be fine. Great, we’ll see you in a few minutes. Thank you,” he hung up the phone. “Shall we?” he turned to Allyson, offering his arm.


Chapter 42 by TurtlenecksAndTea
Author's Notes:

Quasi-NSFW

They both gawked at the sight of their hotel. It was a perfectly beautiful boutique hotel that looked like it could have served as a large estate house in a previous life.

Check in was swift, and JC made a grand gesture as he opened the door to their home for the night. “I’m going to get some necessities down in the store. I’m getting toothbrush, toothpaste, contact solution. Anything else?”

“I think that’s good. Maybe a water?”

“You got it,” he said, tipping an imaginary hat. “Be back in a few.”

Allyson explored the channels on the TV and settled on Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, figuring there’s nothing wrong with a classic. Besides, they both could quote the entire movie, so it didn’t matter when they started it or if they finished it. It was the perfect no-commitment movie for them.


Fifteen minutes later, JC returned with a bag of toiletries and a couple water bottles.

They took turns getting ready for bed with JC taking his turn in the bathroom first, reemerging in his pants with his shirt in his hand.

Damn, he’s fine! Allyson thought as he made his way to the bed where she was sitting.

“We need to figure something out,” JC said, sitting on the bed with one foot on the ground and the opposite knee resting on the bed.

“What’s that?”

“You don’t have pajamas, and I don’t have boxers.”

“I’m not worried about it,” Allyson said, leaning over to kiss JC before taking her turn in the bathroom.

‘I’m not worried about it’? ‘I’m not worried about it’? She’s not worried because we have clothes or not worried about it because – heyyyy, JC’s internal monologue took off.

He didn’t want to assume, but he hoped it was his second thought. “I forgot something at the store. I’ll be right back,” JC called in to Allyson who was taking her makeup off. Five minutes later, before Allyson finished up in the bathroom, JC returned with a couple Trojans. If he guessed wrong, he’d never say anything.

They had been together for three months now and had helped each other get off on nights when they were missing each other, but they’d never been together intimately like that. He was left wondering what exactly ‘I’m not worried about it’ meant until Allyson walked out of the bathroom with just a matching light pink lacy bra and panty set on, making it clear. What Allyson would never admit is that the night was not what she had planned, and she had just gotten lucky to match her undergarments.

“Wow,” was all JC could manage as he turned to face her from the desk where he was writing. She looked stunning. He had of course seen her in a swimsuit, but this combination just struck him differently.

She wasn’t walking slowly, but in his eyes, she might as well have been as he tried to take in every inch of what he was seeing, his mouth agape.

“What?” she finally asked.

“Nothing. You’re just, you’re beautiful.”

She blushed a little at the compliment.

Like a moth to a flame, JC got up and moved toward Allyson grabbing her waist and placing his lips onto hers, gently but intentional.

“What were you working on?” she asked him finally.

“Oh, nothing. Just being stupid. Go ahead and hop in bed, and I’ll turn off these lights.

“Mhmm.”

Knowing now he was in the clear, JC turned the desk lamp off and pulled his pants off, folding them across the back of the chair where his shirt was.

Allyson was already under the covers as JC slid under too. He snuggled up behind her, reaching his arm over her arm and around her so he could interlace his fingers with hers resting on her bare stomach.

“Mmm,” she sighed as she snuggled into him too.

“Great suggestion,” he whispered into her ear.

She smiled as she let go of his hand and turned around in his arms so his arm was  now rested on her back. Their noses were almost touching now. As tenderly as ever, JC brought his other hand up against Allyson’s cheek and stroked it before moving his lips in. “I love you so much, and you look damn sexy in that little pink number.”

She giggled. “I love you too, handsome.” Without even realizing, she began moving her hands along his abs, feeling the ripples beneath her fingers.

“I need to warn you that’s going to have some consequences,” he said, glancing down dramatically.

“I’ll take the risk,” she said as she kissed him, more forcefully than he had.

“Are you sure?” he said.

“Mhmm,” she smiled back.

“No, I’m serious. Are you sure you want to do this? You won’t hear any complaints from me about continuing down this path, but we can go to sleep also if you want.”

“I’m sure,” she said assuredly. “I’ve never been more sure.”

“Well, OK, then,” he grinned devilishly. “Lead the way.”

She continued letting her hands roam as their lips were interlocked again, getting more forceful and aggressive with each passing second. JC now had both arms wrapped around Allyson, running them up and down her body before settling on a clasp he deftly undid.

“I’m glad I wore the easy one,” she said on his lips.

“Me too,” he said, as he helped move the straps down her arms until he could throw it over onto the chaise lounge near the window.

She was not about to knock anyone out with her breasts, but they weren’t nubs either, just perfectly average Cs.

“Mind if I take lead?” he asked, half asking, half telling, all the while not breaking contact with her lips.

A satisfied moan was his green light, as he left her lips, moving down until his tongue made its way to her left nipple.

Her body reacted immediately at the sensation.

“Do you like that, mami?”

She moved her hands to his hair and threw her head back, pushing her chest out a little. JC’s left hand grabbed her side as his lips continued their task.

“I want to move lower,” he said as his fingers danced at her panties.

“OK,” she said, her voice breaking.

Not two seconds later, her panties had joined her bra on the lounger.

“You’re gorgeous,” he said, admiring her now naked body in the bed.

“Look who’s talking, Mr. body of a Greek god,” she said, leaning on her elbows as she caught her breath. 

He laughed. “Just for that, I need you to feel the damage you’ve caused.”

She looked confused, but soon realized what he meant when she felt all of him against her. “Oh.”

“What damage have I caused?” he asked, slowly moving his hand down her body, making her shiver.

“Oh-ho-oh,” Allyson said as he grabbed for a pillow. She had never been handled quite so expertly.

Leaving her wanting more, JC moved back up to her lips. “I want to make love to you. Not have sex with you, but make love to you like no one ever has.”

“What are you waiting for?”

Not needing a second invitation, his boxer-briefs were gone, and his lips were on her again, this time migrating from her lips to her neck as his hands moved all over her body.

“Are you ready?” he asked.

“Mhmm,” she nodded. Neither of them were virgins, but this was the first time they had been together like this.

Within a few thrusts, they found their rhythm. With as much lead up, it did not take them long to reach their first simultaneous release.


“Oh my God,” Allyson said at the end of their marathon, putting her hand over his, which was now resting across her stomach.

“That was amazing,” he said, turning to smile at her, cupping Allyson’s face and kissing her gently.

“This was a great idea,” she said, kissing him back.

“Come on, let’s get some rest. I think we’ve earned it,” he chuckled as he turned to assume his role as the big spoon.

“Thank you,” she said, sincerely.

“For what?”

“For showing me why it’s called making love. No one’s ever made me feel that way.”

He leaned his head down and kissed her temple. “I vow to always make you feel that way.”

 

Allyson just giggled softly before drifting off to sleep in JC’s arms as he closed his eyes, loving the feeling of her by him.


Chapter 43 by TurtlenecksAndTea
Author's Notes:

Things are changing

“Good morning,” Allyson said as she rolled over to face JC.

“Morning, honey.”

“Everything has changed, hasn’t it?”

“Mhmm,” he nodded, “but only for the better,” he said reassuringly.

She smiled and gave him a good morning kiss. As she leaned into him, she felt his morning visitor and laughed.

“What? It’s natural and healthy,” he said defensively.

“No. It’s not that. In D.C. when I stayed over that first night, I saw you, um, adjust yourself,” she giggled.

“Oh, God, really?” he said embarrassed.

“I was facing the living room when you woke up and, well, yeah.”

“Well, did you enjoy the show?”

“I did, but even more so now.”

He just laughed, giving her a more lasting kiss. “Come on, let’s get some breakfast before they shut it down for the day.” This time, as he got out of bed, showing his bare butt to her, he wiggled it a little. “Now you can see the other side.”

“It’s just as perfect,” she laughed as he pulled on his boxer-briefs.


After a continental breakfast in the hotel’s restaurant, they made their way back to D.C.

“I have to call Shannon today. She’s off.”

“Why don’t you text her now, and then you can coordinate when to meet before we even get back.”

“You might be the brains of this operations,” she laughed.

Hey, I got some news! Lunch? Allyson quickly sent off to Shannon.

You and JC finally did it! lol Shannon texted back quickly, making Allyson nearly choke on air.

“Are you OK?” JC looked over quickly while on the Metro.

“I’m good, but look at what Shannon just texted.”

He could only let out a deep laugh at reading the text.

“She’s been willing this to happen, I think.”

“It might be time for her to find her next thing to will into existence.”

“Don’t worry, I won’t tell her. Besides, I’m pretty sure she’s convinced we did it in LA anyway.”

“Well, then you can let her keep thinking that,” he smiled at her, resting his hand on her thigh, sending shivers through Allyson’s body.

Shut up! Job news!

Hell yes! 1:30 Old Ebbitts?

Done

“1:30 at Old Ebbitts,” Allyson relayed to JC.

“Good,” he smiled, squeezing right above her knee.

“You’re coming right?”

“If you want me to.”

“I want you to.”

“Then I’ll be there.”


Before getting ready for lunch, Allyson called the San Diego Zoo and officially accepted the job. With an electronic contract in her email, she signed where she needed and initialed where they said, and she was officially a San Diego Zoo employee, set to start in a little over a month. The next step was to pack things up and find a place to live in California. Then, she just had to move.


“I don’t like not having you at the shop, but I have a feeling I’m going to have to get used to it?” Shannon asked as she threw her arms around Allyson greeting her and then briefly hugging JC also.

Allyson grinned. “I’m moving to San Diego.”

“The zoo job?!” Shannon asked excitedly.

“Yeah!”

“I’m so proud of you, Allie! You deserve this!”

“Thanks Shan! I can’t believe I’m doing this. I’m leaving D.C. after 11 years and the East Coast after forever. Who am I?” Allyson asked rhetorically. Truthfully, though, she couldn’t believe she was taking the leap to move across the country. It wasn’t for JC; she loved the job, but it wouldn’t suck being so much closer to him.

“You’re going to crush it! You were made to do this!”

JC nodded. “I agree.”

“What do you think of all this?” Shannon turned to face JC.

“I’m excited for her. I told her they would be fools not to hire her, and she laughed at me. Now look who’s laughing,” he teased, squeezing right above her knee again under the table. “And it will be nice to have her in the same time zone.”


“Yeah, I like him,” Shannon laughed. “By the way, how does no one know you’re here? Don’t the paps usually follow you around everywhere?”

“I specifically didn’t tell anyone where I was going, not even my manager. He just knows I’m unreachable until Tuesday.” 

“Well played.”

“You have to learn to play the game.”


The rest of the holiday weekend was spent at the Nationals-Orioles game – Allyson in her D.C. jersey and JC in his Orioles hat – and helping Allyson house search online so she could tour a few places over the next month before she had to move for good by the start of November. All the while watching their usual HGTV shows and having a few memorable nights.

“What about this one?” JC asked, looking based on Allyson’s specific requirements as Allyson packed some early boxes. It was a cute 1 bed, 1 bath house for rent for less than $2,000 per month, and only eight minutes – without traffic – from the zoo’s administrative offices.

“It’s perfect! Add that to the list, please.”

“Done,” he said. In total, Allyson had four homes to look at in a couple weeks when she traveled to San Diego to house shop and get a lay of the land for her new home. It was a trip she was both extremely nervous and excited to happen.


Tuesday morning, they sat on the couch sipping coffee on their last morning in D.C. together. “Do you have to leave?” Allyson asked, her knees up at her chest.

  “I have to get back for this producing session. Otherwise I’d be here with you until you move to California,” he said, wrapping his arms around her and pulling her folded frame on top of him, making her giggle.

“You better be happy I’d already set my coffee down,” she chided him.

“I checked. I’m smarter than to mess with your coffee,” he smiled.

She laughed and rested her head and hand on his chest, breathing in the smell of his cologne, slightly sweet yet still very masculine. “It just feels so right to be like this with you.”

“It’s because the universe knows we’re meant to be together,” he said, kissing the top of her head and then smiling as she started to sit up again.

“I’ll see you in a little over a week, right?”

“Without a doubt.”

“OK good,” she smiled back at him. “It seems so far away.”

“It’ll fly by. And I’m not gone yet.” He kissed her cheek.


A few hours later, JC was at Reagan, waiting for his flight, feeling guilty for leaving Allyson, but excited for the future.


Ten days later, Allyson flew out to San Diego where JC met her at the airport to help her tour the homes she had scouted online. Ultimately, she chose the cute small home JC had found that was perfect for what Allyson was looking for.


Throughout the next month, they talked on the phone and Skyped nearly every night as Allyson organized and packed things to take to storage and to send along to JC so they could drive it down from his house to San Diego.


“So whatcha wearin?” JC asked on one of these nightly calls.

“Really?” Allyson laughed.

“What? It’s a legitimate question. You turned it dirty?”

“And I guess you meant it as innocently as could be, right?”

“Zero ulterior motive,” he laughed. “I just want to make sure you’re comfortable.”

“Very much so! You know my loungewear,” she said.

“I do, and I like it. Purple or gray?”

“Gray. That’s scary.”

“You only have those two colors!” he laughed. “You have like 25 of them, but only two colors.”

“I only have five of them, thank you very much” she said sweetly yet defensively about her bra top collection.

“And yoga pants I guess?”

“What else?” she laughed.

“OK fine, I’ll play. What are you wearing right now?”

“Guess.”

“I told you.”

“Well technically, you didn’t. I figured it out,” JC teased.

“Seriously? You’re tipsy aren’t you?”

“I might’ve had a couple.”

“I knew it. You get playful when you’re tipsy.”

“Is that a bad thing?”

“I never said that.”

“So do you have a guess?”

“Nothing,” Allyson said, jumping right in for the tease.

“I said I’m tipsy, not drunk,” he laughed.

“Fine. Your black sweatpants?”

“Wow! Maybe you do know me. What else?”

“Nothing else.”

He didn’t say anything, but it was as if she could hear his smile through the phone.

“I’m right aren’t I?”

“Maybe.”

“Well I like the visual this is giving me.”

“I’m not complaining about the image you’re painting either.”

“I miss you, Josh,” Allyson said, turning the conversation from fun to serious.

“I miss you too, babe. When do you move?”

“Less than two weeks now. I can’t believe it. My apartment looks bare.”

“I know it’s weird, but I am excited for you.”

“I’m excited too, and extremely scared.”

“Scared is good. Scared means you care.”

“I keep telling myself that.”

“Oh and I got your last box of clothes and dishes.”

“Oh good! Sorry, I kind of hijacked your game didn’t I?”

“It’s OK, honey. I just wanted to distract you a little.”

“Well it’s close to midnight here. Can I fall asleep with you?”

“Sure. Let me know when you’re laying down.”

“I am,” she smiled through the phone.

Softly, JC started singing: “I woke up in this moment to everything undone. I wasn’t waiting for anything, but still here you come. You’re better than love. You’re all that I need. When I close my eyes, you are all that I see. You’re under my skin. You run through my blood. Oh, you know you’re better than, you know you’re better than love.”

As he continued singing, he could hear her breathing start getting deeper.

“I love you, honey,” he said sweetly into the phone.

 

“I love you,” she mumbled, as she was in the in-between stage of wake and sleep.


Chapter 44 by TurtlenecksAndTea
Author's Notes:

Merry Christmas!

The move was altogether pretty painless as she had already shipped most of her stuff out to JC over the last month, so they could pile everything into his Jeep and drive it down the coast to her new address.


“This is really happening!” Allyson said excitedly as she climbed into the car.

“It’s happening! You’re here.”

Allyson could only scream as JC turned out of the driveway for the two-and-a-half-hour drive south.


“So how was Shannon when you left?” JC asked along the drive.

“She’d accepted that I was leaving D.C., but I think it really sank in yesterday when we went to our last dinner together. But she might be considering coming out and moving in with me to go to San Diego State because they have a work-study program she could do to help on the financial side of school.”

“Oh that’s great!”

“Yeah it is! She’ll have to apply as a new student instead of a transfer student just because she’s not currently enrolled, but all of her credits should transfer into the program.”


After two days of unpacking, setting up rooms and directing furniture movers, the couple went out to Lucha Libre Taco Shop to try the oft-talked about California burrito, which lived up to the hype.


“So do you think you’re ready?” JC asked as they surveyed the newly set up house.

“I think so,” she smiled. “I’m nervous as hell, but I’m excited.”

“You’ll kill it!” he encouraged her as he gave her a strong hug in the middle of her new living room.

The next day, Allyson arrived at the San Diego Zoo and immediately felt at home. This was the correct choice, she thought to herself as she got a tour of the zoo and met everyone she would be working with from administrators to zookeepers to groundskeepers.

She fell right into a rhythm and was excited.


“I can’t believe I was nervous! It was amazing!” she told JC that night as she told him all about the tours and the day.

As they were about to end their call, JC asked, “Do you still want to come up here for the weekend or do you want me to come down there? Do you still need help setting things up?”

“If you can come down here, I’d love a taller person to help me hang some pictures.”

“You got it. I’ll see you Saturday.”


And so it continued that every weekend, they would see each other either in San Diego or Los Angeles, visiting with Liz on a few of the Los Angeles trips. Quickly, Allyson began developing friendships with her coworkers, though she dared not tell them Josh’s real identity yet.

Her family flew out for Thanksgiving to see the new house and celebrate the holiday together. It also gave her family the chance to meet Josh after hearing so much about him over the years.

It was the perfect way to really baptize her new place with love, laughter and football.


When it came to Christmas, though, Allyson could not get a flight to North Carolina due to a freak storm that was bringing an early-season heavy snowfall to the state, closing all the airports before the holiday. They had spent the week leading up to Christmas with JC’s parents, who visited before going back to Florida to spend Christmas Eve and Christmas Day – a Thursday and Friday this year – with their other two children and their new grandchildren.

“This is the first Christmas I’ve ever missed,” she cried in JC’s arms, trying to catch her breath in between sobs as she thought about not spending Christmas Eve in North Carolina.

“Hey, shhhh,” he said in an effort to calm her down. “This will be the start of new traditions. Let’s Skype them, and we’ll open our gifts and watch a few movies by the fake fire.”

Her tears had not stopped, but she smiled at the suggestion.

“Come on. Wipe your eyes, and let’s Skype them.”

“Hey, Allie!” her parents and sister yelled in unison.

“Hey guys! Oh I miss y’all! I wish I were there!” She was composed, but she could feel her emotions bubbling up.

“Us too, baby girl,” Allyson’s mom said. “But this storm is crazy. I think even if you had been able to fly in, you wouldn’t have been able to leave before the middle of next week, based on what they’re saying now.”

“Holy shit! Is it that bad?”

“It is. They’re warning of ice on the lines, but we’re lucky, you know, they buried our lines last year.”

“Oh wow! I miss your green bean casserole, Mom. I tried to make it,” Allyson said, holding up her casserole dish in the kitchen. “It’s not as good, but it’ll do.”

“She did a great job!” JC chimed in, leaning further into frame, making Allyson blush.

“Well, what’s today’s movie of choice?” Allyson asked. “Josh and I will put it on.”

“I think we’re about to start Miracle on 34th Street – the original – in a few minutes and then A Christmas Story starts at 7.”

“Oh you know we’ll be watching the first showing.”

“Good girl. That’s a tradition we can’t let change.”

“Don’t worry, Dad, we have an alarm set.”

“I’ll text when we start the movie, and then y’all can start it with us,” Allyson’s sister, Janie, said.

“OK, we’ll get it set up. Merry Christmas!”

“Merry Christmas!” her family said with her mom adding in her signature, “Merry Christmas, sweetheart!”

“Don’t forget the eggnog with the Hot Sex,” Janie yelled as they were going to hang up.

Allyson couldn’t contain her laughter as she saw JC’s face as the video call ended.

“Um what was that?” he asked about Janie’s last statement.

“We have a family tradition to have a glass of eggnog with some Hot Sex.”

“I didn’t know you were that open with your parents,” JC looked confused.

Allyson smiled as she walked toward the refrigerator. “I’m not,” she laughed as she pulled out a bottle of liqueur named Hot Sex.

“Jesus, Allyson!” he laughed, bringing his hands to his face.

“So do you want some Hot Sex?” she teased as she walked back to the couch with the bottle and some plastic shot glasses.

“Do I want some Hot Sex?” he said with a funny voice back, reaching out to tickle Allyson’s sides. “Sure, let’s try it. See if it’s as good as its namesake.”

Allyson raised an eyebrow as she poured a shot’s worth into their eggnog.


They spent the day curled up on the couch, watching movies in sync with Allyson’s parents with Miracle on 34th Street, the first showing of the annual A Christmas Story marathon and rounding out the night with The Polar Express.

“Want to do gifts?” JC asked Allyson as the movie ended.

“Sure! Let me grab yours from the bedroom. I meant to bring them out earlier, but I got distracted by that casserole.”

“Which was amazing by the way,” he interrupted.

“Thanks, babe. I’ll be right back.”

When Allyson disappeared to the bedroom, JC took the opportunity to put on a variety of classic Christmas songs and turn the TV to the Yule Log that played 24/7 during the Christmas season. Less than a minute later, Allyson returned to the living room with a large rectangular box and placed it under her full-sized, modestly decorated tree.

“Wow,” he said at the sight. “So do you want me to go first or you?”

“You!” She was so excited about her gift to him.

Tearing open the red and white striped candy cane styled wrapping paper, JC revealed a familiar looking box. “No way! Did you? How? When?” He pulled off more of the paper and opened the box to see a new electric keyboard and, in a smaller box, was a carrying case. “How did you know this is what I wanted? I didn’t put this on my list to you.”

“I remembered you saying in D.C. that you needed to replace the portable keyboard you had, and so I found the newer model of what you have.”

“I can’t believe you,” he said, along with a kiss. “This is too much. I’m not sure I want you to open mine,” he laughed.

Allyson extended her arms dramatically, asking for the boxes labeled with her name. In one box was a blanket a friend of his had sewn with an East Coast-West Coast design and a necklace that was the continental United States with a heart on D.C. and another heart on California, kind of between LA and San Diego, with an arrow between the two.

“This is gorgeous, Josh!” she squealed and hugged his neck.

“There’s one more thing,” he said, reaching further underneath the tree to present a small square box. Allyson’s heart started beating fast. That can’t be an engagement ring. It just can’t be. This is too soon. As these thoughts ran through her head, they all quieted when he handed her the box – not opening it – and just said, “I’ll explain.”

Inside, Allyson found a key. With a confused look, she glanced up at JC.

“Now that you’re within a few hours and don’t have to fly back to D.C., I thought it was time you had a key to my place. I know we’ve only been dating for a few months, but we both know this relationship is deeper than that.

Allyson looked up at him with tears in her eyes.

“Oh no. Are you disappointed?”

“Not in the least,” she said, choking back tears. “This is the most special gift, next to my lyrics,” motioning toward the framed lyric sheets hanging on the wall behind JC. “This means the world. Thank you!” She lunged forward from her seated position on the floor to hug JC, knocking him down to the ground.

“Merry Christmas, honey,” he said, wrapping his arms around her and kissing her squarely on the lips.

“Merry Christmas, Josh!”

They remained lying on the tree skirt, sharing kisses as Bing Crosby, Burl Ives and Dolly Parton played through the stereo’s speakers.


“This is perfect,” Allyson said, eventually, lying on top of JC, her head and arms resting on his chest as JC’s arms were locked around her and he began to wrap his legs around hers.

After about half an hour of them kissing under the Christmas tree, JC stroked Allyson’s hair. “How about some of that Hot Sex?” he asked with a wink.

“Come on,” she said, laughing, as she scooted out from under the tree.


“Hot Sex right here,” she giggled as she handed JC a new glass of eggnog as she poured another for herself also.

“That is fucking good,” JC laughed.

“Oh I know,” she laughed. “It can be dangerous.”

“I sense a drunk story.”

“Yeah. A couple Christmases ago, we had Hot Sex eggnog, only no one told us it had alcohol in it, so we were downing them left and right without any clue of how strong they were.”

“Oh shit.”

“Yeah. At the time, it wasn’t a fun night, but we laugh about it now.”

He smiled at the thought of Allyson drunk off her ass on Hot Sex.


As Christmas Eve turned to early morning Christmas Day, Allyson laid on the couch with JC, both of their arms wrapped around each other in complementary red and green pajamas. Softly, JC sang along with each of the Christmas songs as the Yule Log crackled on the wall-mounted TV.

“This is the perfect tradition,” Allyson said.

“I’m glad we can start it now,” JC said, kissing her gently on the cheek as he sang along to Bing Crosby’s “White Christmas” in her ear.

 

The holiday break was as perfect as could be, and JC helped take Allyson’s mind off being thousands of miles away from her family for the first holiday in her life.

 

End Notes:

By the way, Hot Sex does exist, and it is good! If I had to compare it to anything, I'd say it's similar to Bailey's. Would recommend, but drink responsibly.

Chapter 45 by TurtlenecksAndTea

One weekend at the start of spring, Allyson and JC began going to one of the local farmer’s markets. JC never went out of his way to disguise himself, but he always made sure to have a hat on so as to not draw attention to himself or Allyson.


They were collecting their basket of new potatoes, grapefruit, kiwis and lemons when they saw a flash off to the side. JC looked up from under his hat to see a lone paparazzo looking at the screen and moving the camera back up to his eye.

“Come on,” JC said quickly as Allyson was looking at a batch of avocados. “Pick the one you like best, and let’s get these and head out.”

“What’s the matter?” Allyson asked, hearing the frustration, annoyance and seriousness of his tone. She had noticed the flash, but not the implications of it.

You’re about to be in Us Weekly,” he said looking at her with a clenched jaw.

“Oh,” she said as it sank in. “I like these.”

“Good, let’s check out and get out of here,” JC said as they headed to the exit.


Once they were in JC’s Jeep, Allyson looked over at JC, whose jaw was still set and questioned why it would be a bad thing to be seen in a tabloid.

“It’s not that I want to keep this a secret. Far from it,” he looked over and smiled. “I want to scream it from the rooftops! But I want to do it on our terms, not because a tabloid ran a horrible picture of us at a farmer’s market.”

“So what are you going to do?”

“If you’re OK with it, I’m going to call the magazine myself. Tell the story ourselves.”

“Oh wow, OK. You can do that?” she asked with a giggle.

“If it means they beat the tabloid, yes.”

“Well then let’s do it. What do you need me to do?”

“You’re staying at my place tonight right?”

“Mhmm.”

“OK, I’ll call today and ask them to be at my place tomorrow before that photographer’s pictures can even make the rounds. Us Weekly will be on the stands Thursday, and People comes out on Wednesday and can put it online.”

“Wait, People?”

“Yeah, is that OK?”

“That’s a lot to take in,” she said, looking ahead through the windshield. “I guess it never hit me that this could lead to me being in People fucking magazine.”

“I won’t do it if you’re not comfortable with it. And I’ll understand if you don’t want the exposure of this. I’ll hate it, but I’ll understand.”

“No, no. God no!” she said, hearing how he was going to the extreme. “Not at all. I just need to wrap my head around it. I’m excited to be public with you. I’ve just never had a relationship where I needed to be ‘public’ about it.”

“Welcome to LA,” he laughed.

He called People and arranged for them to be at his house at 2 the next afternoon. Luckily he had straightened up everything before the monthly cleaning service made the place shine Friday.

Allyson fixed her hair and makeup and smoothed out her true blue top she had paired with dark wash jeans.

“You look perfect,” he said as he stepped out of the bathroom to see her doing final looks in the full-length mirror.

“You think?”

“You’re perfect,” he said, grabbing her waist and pulling her into him. “Are you sure about this?”

“I am,” she said with a smile.

“Let’s go.”


Half an hour later, the reporter and photographer buzzed JC’s gate. He led them through the entryway into the open living room with white, gray and natural colored furniture and walls that made the room bright, even on gray days.

“Thank you for calling us,” the reporter said.

“Well, as I told your editor, a member of the paparazzi got a photo of us at the farmer’s market, and I know he’ll try to shop it around and sell it with God knows what kind of spin on it, so we thought we’d get in front of it with a celebrity magazine that still has some integrity.”

“We appreciate that,” the veteran reporter said with a smile. “Would you prefer to do photos first?”

JC looked at Allyson and saw a brief moment of panic in her eyes. He subtly nodded his head to let her know he got her. “Could we give you some quick background first. This is old hat for me, but all new for Allie.”

“Of course. Tell me about how you two met.”

They looked at each other and laughed as they recounted the story.

“My coworker, Shannon, even told me that if nothing came of it, at least I had a story. I didn’t realize the story it would become,” she said, as she looked over and smiled at JC as he squeezed her hand.

“She has been there by my side as a friend and then one day something just changed and we saw each other in a different way,” he said with a reassuring glance to let her know he would not go deeper into what led to that change. “It’s one of those things that it happened so organically that I can’t imagine life any other way. She has brought so much joy and inspiration to my life. She had the courage to go back to school, earn her MBA and pursue a marketing career here in California. I’m just so proud of what she’s accomplished and to have someone like her by my side.”

“So you live here in LA now?” the reporter asked.

“No, I’m in the San Diego area, but it is nice to be on the same coast finally after three years of a bicoastal relationship as friends and then as partners.”

“I bet that was difficult,” the reporter continued.

“Not as much as you would think. We made it work,” Allyson said.

“I think it helped us develop our friendship so it could ultimately lead to what we have now, not realizing it was leading to this,” JC said.


Allyson was feeling much more relaxed being able to talk about JC and their relationship, and so they went straight into the photoshoot.

“I want you two to sit like you normally sit on a typical afternoon.

Without a second of doubt, JC sat in his spot on the couch as Allyson sat next to him, her legs curled up to her side as she laid against him, her head on his shoulder.

“That’s beautiful,” the photographer said as he started shooting.

“Can we get a photo of you outside?” he looked to the front door.

“We spend more time on the balcony,” JC smiled. It wasn’t a lie, but he also just did not want the front of his house on display for anyone to see.

They stood together on the balcony, looking over at the photographer, looking over the city of Los Angeles from his Hollywood Hills home.

 

“Well, this has been lovely,” the reporter said as she wrapped up her questions. “So, off the record, what does the future hold for you two?”

JC and Allyson looked at each other and smiled. “We don’t know,” JC said with a comforted smile, “and that’s beautiful. We’re just enjoying life together. The future will be what it is.”


Allyson had told her family and friends about the magazine so they wouldn’t be blindsided; however, she hoped no one would harass them for information.

The next day, JC got an email to approve the photos selected. He did, and it was online Tuesday and on newsstands the next day, their story printed over three pages inside with two photos of them – one on the couch and one on the balcony.


“Running into love: Go inside JC Chasez’s budding romance,” Allyson said, reading the headline.

“Well, how does it feel to be in your first magazine?” JC asked as they flipped through the pages together. Allyson had driven up to LA so they could see the finished product together.

“Really weird,” she said with a laugh. “Does it ever get normal?”

“Not really, but it is nice to be in there for something so special as us, and to tell our story in our own words instead of letting other people create the narrative.” He leaned across the table and kissed her gently on the lips.


The next day at work, word had spread quickly. “Allyson! What? Josh is JC? From *NSYNC,” her coworkers took turns asking in shock.

She looked down embarrassed and chuckled. “Yeah. I didn’t want to bring attention to it. I wanted y’all to like me for me and the work I did, not because I was dating JC.”

“Well, we do like you for you and for the work you do, but now we want you to bring your man to the zoo picnic next month,” her immediate supervisor said with a smile.

She nodded. “I know he wants to meet everyone I work with, so I will pass along the invitation.”

“Good. And congratulations, Allyson. I loved your story.”

“Thanks, Gretchen,” Allyson smiled, grateful they were not upset with the piece or that she had not mentioned the zoo by name.


The overwhelmingly positive response to the piece meant JC and Allyson could enjoy a public life, unafraid to be seen together.


Their routine continued, uninterrupted for the most part, with JC traveling to San Diego – including for a visit to the zoo picnic – and Allyson venturing up to LA every other weekend with few exceptions.

 

Eventually, they knew they would need to be in the same city, if not the same house, but for now it worked for them and would continue for the next couple years.


Chapter 46 by TurtlenecksAndTea
Author's Notes:

We're headed to 2013, folks!

I have to meet up with some guys to discuss a new project. Not sure when I’ll be home, so house is yours, JC texted Allyson as she was packing to spend the weekend in LA.

OK. I’ll see you when you get home, she sent back.

Allyson picked up ingredients for tacos on her way out of town and spent the evening watching one of the many Harry Potter marathons on ABC Family. Why was there a Harry Potter marathon in August? Who knew, but she loved it nonetheless.


The third movie was just ending as JC walked into the door.

“Hey, babe,” she yelled to the front door as she turned to see JC walking through the entryway.

“Hey, baby. What’chu doin?” he said, feeling good about how things had gone earlier in the day.

“Just in time for the second half of the Harry Potter marathon,” she said, sitting up on the couch.

“Another marathon?” he laughed.

“I know, but it never gets old.”

“I love you,” he chuckled as he bent over the back of the couch to give Allyson a quick kiss. “It smells amazing, by the way. Did you cook?”

“Sort of. I picked up things for tacos. It’s all in the fridge if you want.”

“Mmmm I might. We had snacks, but no real dinner. But I’m gonna shower first.”

“OK. I’ll be here with Dan Radcliffe.”


As JC finished a bite of fajita chicken tacos, he looked up at Allyson. “Mm before I forget, Justin is performing at the VMAs in a couple weeks and getting this big award, basically like the golden Moonman. He’s invited the rest of the guys to be his guests and said we could each bring a plus one, so I figured you should be my first ask.”

“Good call,” she laughed. “And yeah, that sounds amazing! How long should I request off?”

“Maybe a few days, Thursday through Monday, maybe?”

“I’ll put in the request first thing Monday morning.

JC just smiled back at her. What he hadn’t said was that this project he had been working on was coded “String Quartet” and was the surprise of the year, if not the decade. JC and the guys were not just Justin’s invited guests at the show, but would be joining him onstage for a short medley.


Two weeks later, JC and Allyson were in first class of a plane headed from LAX to JFK, their bags packed with clothes fit for the VMAs. Cool, yet classy. They would be arriving late Thursday night with Friday to do their thing before a dress rehearsal Saturday and the show Sunday.

JC looked at his phone as they waited for their bags at baggage claim.

Plus ones can come to rehearsal, but they cannot tell a soul, Justin texted the *NSYNC boys’ group chat.

“Justin invited us all out to his rehearsal Saturday,” JC conveyed to Allyson. “Do you want to come?”

“Of course!”

“OK,” he laughed at how quickly she answered. “We’ll need to be there at noon, so tomorrow might be our only real day to explore.”

“I’ve been to New York enough. It’s fine,” she laughed.

“That’s true.”


They spent Friday exploring new sites throughout the city and visiting their favorite restaurants, and woke up Saturday excited to see Justin’s closed rehearsal. JC put on the black hoodie Justin had sent all of the guys to wear, while Allyson grabbed a San Diego Zoo branded T-shirt she’d brought.

JC accompanied Allyson to the viewing area and told her he wanted to go say hi to Justin and asked her to stay put and that he’d be “right back.”

 


About 30 minutes later, Allyson heard, “String Quartet. We’re ready for String Quartet,” over the PA system.

String quartet, she thought and looked around to the other spouses sitting near her. Everyone looked just as puzzled.

Then, like phoenixes rising up again, there was JC, alongside Lance, Joey and Chris, rising from under the stage to join Justin.

“WHAT IS HAPPENING?” she screamed to everyone and no one at the same time.

She was sitting close enough to see JC wink at her as she shook her head in disbelief.

The rehearsal was flawless. It was as if no time had passed at all.

The smile had not faded from Allyson’s face when JC came back out.

“So how was that?” JC asked as he snaked his arm around her waist and kissed her cheek.

“That was unbelievable,” she smiled. “I can’t believe you didn’t tell me this was the project you were working on.”

“We were sworn to secrecy,” he said, as Allyson kissed him on his now-pouted lips.

“You know everyone’s gonna die tomorrow, right?”

“It’s just a one-time deal. We’re honoring this guy,” he said, pointing to Justin as the Memphis boy walked out to the group.


“Y’all, this is going to be nuts,” Justin said. “I’m so glad they let me do this. I wanted us to have more time, but the producers made me shorten it for time. I pushed back and tried to make them understand that y’all are the reason I’m getting this at all, but they wouldn’t back down.”

“Man, you deserve it, and thanks for sharing your moment with us. You’ve taken this solo gig to new heights,” JC said, slapping Justin on the shoulder.

“I think I’m done for the day. Do y’all want to just hang out a bit?” Justin asked the group with his arm wrapped around his wife, Jessica.

Eight heads nodded back to him. “Come on, I know a place.”

The group of 10 grabbed dinner and spent a few hours at Justin’s New York apartment, just catching up.

“When’s the last time we’ve done this?” Lance asked the group.

“It’s been a few years,” Chris said.

“This is nice,” Joey leaned back on the couch.

“Yeah it is good to be together without the risk of cameras or anything,” Justin said.

“Oh I was talking about your couch,” Joey quipped, rubbing the back of the leather couch, making the room erupt with laughter.

“Shut up, Joe!” Lance threw a pillow across the couch at him.

“Do not start a pillow fight in here,” Jessica said, pointing her finger at Joey before he had time to retaliate.

“Ugh, yes ma’am,” Joey said, putting the pillow down.

“Thank you.”


Allyson left the group to find the bathroom, and JC took it as the perfect opportunity to let the rest of the group in on a secret of his own.

“Before she comes back,” he said, lowering his voice as everyone leaned in to hear better and because it seemed like the right thing to do, “I need to run something past y’all. So I have been working up the courage to do this, and tomorrow after the show or at least after our performance feels right.”

“No way!” Lance said. “Is the bachelor himself looking to settle down?”

“I never thought I’d see the day,” Chris said.

JC looked at Justin, who hadn’t said anything. “I don’t want to take away from your moment. “You tell me no, and I’ll do it another time.”

“Do you have the ring with you?” Justin asked.

“Yeah. I’ve been carrying it with me on every trip, thinking maybe it’ll be the right moment, but it’s never felt right. This feels right.”

“Do it, man!” Justin smiled. “That’s an amazing moment. After the performance, I think we’re supposed to do photos and shit; you know the media circus, but maybe that will give her time to get backstage. Do you want me to see if there’ll be a photographer who can be ready to capture it?”

“Do you think they’d do that?” he asked

“Doesn’t hurt to ask. I’ll see if Kevin is working the show for Getty. He’d definitely be down.”

“Oh if Kevin’s working the show, that would be great.”

A quick text message later and Justin had confirmed Kevin was working the VMAs and would be assigned to the guys, so he would be capturing everything anyway.

 About that time, Allyson rejoined the group in the living room.

“What’re we talking about?” she asked as she sat on JC’s lap.

“Just how exciting it is to be together like this,” he grinned and winked at the others as Allyson sat down and turned her face away from JC and toward the rest of the group.


Everyone slept well, but JC was a bundle of nerves as he got ready Sunday morning before having to go to their last rehearsal.

“What’s up, Josh? You seem tense,” Allyson asked as she walked back into the bedroom area of their suite.

“I’ll be honest, I’m a little nervous,” he turned to face her.

“Nervous? JC Chasez nervous?” she said in a joking tone.

“Yes!” he said seriously. “This is the first time we’ve performed together on any awards show in like 10 years. What if they don’t like us anymore? What if our time is done? What if this is a bad idea? What if,” he continued until Allyson shushed him.

“What if this is the perfect way to remind everyone of how great y’all are? What if this is the exact thing the world needs? What if this is the best idea any of y’all has had in the last decade?” she said with a smile. “Josh, you should’ve seen the excitement of everyone in that room at rehearsals. Everyone was going nuts, even the MTV people who knew it was happening were screaming when y’all actually came up onto the stage.”

“But,” he started.

“But nothing,” she stopped him and kissed him softly. “Enjoy this. Don’t think about what has happened or what could happen, just what is happening. And we’ll all be enjoying the hell out of it too.”

He wrapped his arms around Allyson, linking his fingers together in the middle of her back. “You’re amazing, did you know that?”

“I’m just giving you facts. You get so into your head sometimes,” she smiled as she touched her index finger to his temple.

“But it was exactly what I needed to hear.” He took a deep breath. “I love you, Allie.”

“I love you too. Now finish up, so I can get ready,” she laughed as she headed toward the bathroom. “I’m going to do my makeup, while you’re finishing up. Do you mind if I use one of your extra button downs?”

“Have at it. You know where they are.”

As Allyson closed the bathroom door behind her, JC looked back at the dresser in front of him and grabbed a small burgundy box he had buried in his socks and basketball shorts in his suitcase.

While he was nervous about the performance, what he was more nervous about was what he was going to ask Allyson after the performance. He took another deep breath and stuck the box in his jeans pocket and finished buttoning up his red plaid shirt. His show outfit was already at the Barclays Center.


“Hey, babe,” he knocked on the bathroom door. “I’m going to head on out. Justin said the car should be here around 3, and y’all will stop by and pick up Michael on the way to the venue.”

She opened the door, revealing an almost-complete makeup look as she stood there in nothing but the white button down she had selected.

“Damn! You should not have opened that door,” he said, looking her up and down, sucking in his bottom lip.

She blushed and laughed. “Go! You’re going to be late,” she said as she kissed him softly but with just a bit of pressure to make him want more. “I’ll see you in a couple hours.”

“I can’t wait to see you in that dress!”

That dress was a floor-length spaghetti strap emerald green A-line dress with a thigh-high slit up her left leg and beading details on top. With her makeup complete, she unbuttoned the shirt and slipped into the dress, putting her shoulders through the straps. She struggled a little getting the zipper past the beads, but she made it work. Thankfully her arms were just long enough.


About 20 minutes later, as she was securing the strap of her heels, the hotel room phone rang. “Hello?” she answered.

It was Chris’ wife, Karly. “The car will be here in 10 minutes. Meet us downstairs in 5.”

“I’ll see you in a few.”

Jessica walked the red carpet with Justin, but the car was picking up Allyson, Karly and Joey’s daughter Briahna who would be attending as his plus one. They were then picking Michael up at the apartment he and Lance still rented in Manhattan on their way to the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.


All the women complimented each other and Michael joined in the fun once he arrived.

“Are y’all excited?” Michael asked.

“I can’t wait to hear what the audience sounds like when they appear!” Allyson said.

“It’s going to erupt,” Karly chimed in.

Briahna, who was only 13, sat back and took in the experience.

“Josh was so anxious today when he was getting ready. He’s so nervous.”

“Chris was nervous too. They want it to be perfect.”

Just then Allyson’s phone buzzed with a text from JC. Hey babe everything work with the car?

Backstage at the Barclays Center, JC was sitting on the couch as Chris came up, “Ooooo who’s that?” he asked sarcastically, as he leaned on top of JC, pushing him over to where he was halfway laying down on the couch. Chris laid his head on JC’s shoulder as he jokingly looked at the phone in JC’s hands as Allyson replied back.

Great! We’re just saying how excited we are for tonite

“Shut up, dude!” JC laughed. “Oh!” he let out as Joey piled on top of Chris. “Joe, come on man! Will y’all get off me and let me text my girl?”

“Fine,” Chris groaned as he and Joey sat up. “And you better get used to saying fiancée. They love it when you use that!”

“Well she has to say yes first,” JC laughed nervously.

“It’ll be fine, bud,” Chris said reassuringly as he slapped JC’s thigh. “We’re gonna do a hacky and start getting ready soon.”

“I’ll be right there.” He finished up his reply to Allyson. 1/2 Good. We’re about to get ready, but meet us backstage after Justin’s done. 2/2 We’ll have to do press, but will be back right after.

We’ll be there waiting :)

:)

With a hacky finally complete, the guys finished getting ready as the girls arrived at the show. They did not walk the red carpet, but instead simply walked into the venue and found their seats where a VMA-sponsored goodie bag was waiting for them.

Nine minutes into the performance, the strings of “Pusher Love Girl” played, just as rehearsed, and Justin adlibbed, “You asked for it,” which was true. Everyone had been asking for it all over the internet. Then, the sound of the harmonies of “Gone” reverberated through the arena as four figures appeared from underneath the stage. There they were, *NSYNC together again. Allyson was seated next to Karly, and grabbed her hands as they gasped at seeing their men on stage looking so dapper in their black and white outfits.

They looked around in awe as everyone around them, understandably, went nuts as *NSYNC together again began their all-too-short medley of “Girlfriend” and “Bye, Bye, Bye.”

Just as soon as it happened, it was over, and the guys descended again, each of them giving little signals to their guests – a wink, a point, a wave – as Justin finished his performance and continued to accept his Moonman.


“Dude, nice adlib,” Joey gave JC a slap on the back.
“I couldn’t help it, man. Being up there with you guys again, seeing my girl there, knowing what I’m about to do, seeing Justin do his thing, I just had to let it out.”

“That was amazing,” Chris said. “I do these little shows, but, you know, I forgot how much I missed being up there with you guys.”

“There’s something kind of magical about it,” Joey added.

“It’s unlike anything else, that’s for sure,” Lance said. 


As they continued talking, JC, Lance, Chris and Joey all headed to the backstage media area to watch what they could of the rest of Justin’s performance and his acceptance speech.

On the monitors backstage, they watched as Justin accepted the Video Vanguard Award from Jimmy Fallon. “I don’t deserve this award, but I’m not gonna give it back,” he said from the stage. “I’m taking this home. Every video director that I had the fortune of working with, I owe this award to you. My manager, Johnny, my folks, but most of all, half of the Moonmen that I’ve ever won, I won with those four guys right there. So above all else, I’m gonna share this - we can keep it at my house - but I’m gonna share this with them. This is truly an honor. Thank you so much.”

“You hear that? He likes us; he really likes us!” Chris joked.

“That was sweet,” JC said, smiling.

A few minutes later, Justin walked backstage to join the guys, who greeted him with a group hug.

“Nice speech, man,” JC said.

“I meant every word,” Justin smiled at his best friends.

“Including that it has to stay at your house?” Joey asked with a laugh.

“Yes, even that. I’ll share it with y’all, but it’s still got my name on it.”

“I’m gonna steal it,” Lance loudly whispers to Joey with a laugh.

“Is it too late to change my speech?” Justin joked. “I’m just playin’,” as he hugged Lance.


“We’re ready for you in the interview room,” an MTV assistant said to the guys before saying into her headset, “String Quartet entering the Lion’s Den.”


“They still call it the Lion’s Den?” JC whispered to Lance.

“I guess some things never change.”

As soon as they were visible, cameras started flashing and the press began yelling questions and directions at the men. “Over here!” “Justin! Straight down the middle!” “To your right!” “How does it feel?” “Will we have a reunion tour?” “Are you getting back together for good?”

Justin laughed as the guys nodded for him to answer. “There’s no conversations happening just yet, but we’ve always said never say never. Nothing is off the table. It felt great to be up there with my brothers again. We’re just enjoying tonight.”


After five minutes of intensity, they walked to the other side of the room and exited to the backstage area where their partners were waiting.

“I liked your little ‘Baby, baby, baby’ at the end,” Allyson whispered as she gave JC a hug and a kiss.

“That was for you,” he said with a smile.

Kevin Winter, longtime Getty Images photographer who had photographed *NSYNC at every stage of their career since they hit the U.S. market in 1998, had followed the guys out of the room. “Nice job, fellas. Took me back to 2001. Let’s get some photos out here without the yelling.”

“Yeah, man,” Justin said to Kevin before turning his attention to the four guys around him. “It did feel good.”

They were being goofy taking pictures as their plus-ones were escorted to the area.

“Let’s get some photos of everyone,” Kevin suggested waving in the guests. JC and Justin had both told him of JC’s plan, but the general assignment was “follow JC’s lead.” Not the best game plan, but Kevin was there to capture the moment as it happened and everyone just knew to stay out of the way of his lens.

They took a few photos, and Kevin said, “Oh I love this one,” as he moved to the side a little. His comment prompted most of the group to gather around behind Kevin, except Allyson who watched with a smile as everyone clamored to see the picture. Lance and Michael had also stepped off to the side to see what they knew was about to happen.

“Ah, JC, what are you doing dude?” Chris laughed.

Allyson looked up and laughed before turning around to face JC as Kevin quickly moved into position with the camera back up to his eye. “What did you…” her question trailed off as her eyes landed upon JC getting down on one knee, his hand pulling out the small burgundy box he had moved to his jacket pocket. “Oh my God! Josh!” Allyson said as her hands moved to cover her mouth in shock.

“Allie, ever since we met, it has been instant. It has always been easy, even when it shouldn’t have been. It has always felt right, even when facing difficult situations. I know you will always have my back, and I hope you know I will always have yours. You are my sun on a cloudy day, and my calm when a storm is swirling around me or in me. You are my home, my comfort, my peace. I’ve had this moment in my head for some time, and I’ve been so excited and nervous to finally ask, Allyson Stewart, will you marry me?”

By this point, everyone had tears in their eyes, and Allyson’s hands had not moved from her mouth. JC knelt there terrified as Allyson took a moment to let what was happening sink in. Then, he breathed a sigh of relief as he saw her nod her head, “Yes! Of course!” She bent down and grabbed JC’s face in her hands and kissed him hard. “Of course!”


Kevin got the preparation, the reaction, the acceptance and the kiss before everyone crowded around the newly engaged couple, congratulating them both and admiring Allyson’s new piece of jewelry.

JC had picked the perfect ring for Allyson’s delicate finger. Twisting bands of gold and diamonds supported a single round diamond that sparkled in the light.


Allyson could not stop herself from glancing down at her new ring. When they returned to their suite, JC caught Allyson just staring at the ring. He chuckled a little, catching her attention and making her turn her attention from the ring to JC. “We’re engaged!” she said, holding up her hand, so the ring faced him as her mouth was wide open.

“We are,” he said as he moved closer to where she was sitting on the bed. “You’re my fiancée. I’m your fiancé.”

“I get to be Mrs. Allie Chasez! I didn’t know MASH could actually come true.”

“Oh God! You actually played that game?” he threw his head back laughing.

“Uh yeah! Everyone did. My three guys were always you, Josh Hartnett and Leonardo DiCaprio.”

“Well I’m glad I made the cut and that you got me in real life,” he said, wrapping his arm around her waist as he sat down next to her.

“Real life beats MASH any day of the week,” she smiled as she turned to kiss him.

He kissed back on her. “I’m gonna prove that to you every day.”

“Have you told anyone yet?” she asked.

“Well your parents and sister know, but not besides that. I haven’t told my folks yet. I just haven’t had time. You know, been busy with this little show,” he laughed.

She joined his laughter, “OK fine. Let’s call them now,” she said, before realizing the time. “Wait, no, it’s 11. Maybe not. Tomorrow going to the airport? I want to tell everyone!”

“I love that you’re as excited as I am, but let’s do it once we get home Monday. It’ll be 8 here by the time we get back to LA.”

“OK,” she smiled. “Well, then go get ready for bed. It’s been a long day.”

With one final stolen kiss, JC went off to the bathroom, and he couldn’t help but drop his head and laugh silently to himself when he looked at himself in the mirror. I’m engaged, he thought, still trying to wrap his mind around it.

At the same time, Allyson was looking down at her ring, smiling to herself thinking the exact same thought.


As JC climbed into bed, he simply wrapped one arm around Allyson and pulled her into him. “So does this mean I can do this forever?”

“Mhmm,” she said, as she felt JC’s lips on her neck. She turned around as the kisses migrated to her lips. “Forever and ever.” She reached her hands up to stroke his face during a break in the kissing. “I’m so happy.”

“Me too. That’s why I was so nervous yesterday getting ready.”

She laughed and buried her head in his bare chest. “I thought it was strange for you to be that nervous about the performance.”

“I was nervous for the performance, but, yeah, everything you saw yesterday was because of this,” he said with a chuckle as he reached down and interlaced his fingers with hers, letting the ring sparkle. 

“I don’t know what you were nervous about.”

“Are you kidding me? I could only hope you would say yes.”

“Of course I said yes, and I would say yes a thousand times over,” she said, continuing the kisses.

“I don’t know that I have ever felt this happy in my life.”

They just laid next to each other, talking low and kissing for the next few hours before they drifted off to sleep, wrapped in each other’s arms.


The next morning, their alarms went off at 9, so they could meet Justin at his apartment for brunch before everyone headed back home after a whirlwind weekend.

 

Monday morning, as soon as they got settled back in California, they pulled up their computers and started calling people via Skype to tell them the good news and show off the ring. Shannon might have given the best reaction, screaming at a decibel that put the wine glasses in her apartment at risk.

Chapter 47 by TurtlenecksAndTea
Author's Notes:

Sorry for the delay in getting this posted

When Allyson arrived back at work, she was met with question after question about if she had been at the show, what it was like, everything. Then, as she took a sip of her water, Gretchen noticed the extra bling Allyson had on her finger.

“New York looks like it was especially good,” Gretchen said. “Do you have more than a boyfriend now?”

Allyson looked down embarrassed and laughed. “Yeah, Josh proposed Sunday night.”

This was met with a new list of questions, but she kept most of the details tight lipped, only saying, “It was really sweet and romantic.”



After a week of newly-engaged fun, JC had a not-so-pleasant message for his new fiancée. “Who all did you tell we were engaged?”

Taken a bit aback, she stammered, “Uh, my family, Shannon, Liz and, of course, my coworkers all figured it out when they saw the ring.”

“Well you’ve got someone who’s a snitch,” he said sternly.

“What’s going on, Josh?”

“On your way home, stop by the corner store and take a look at the new Us Weekly.”

“Oh no,” she started.

“Oh yes.” She had not heard him this upset since the Erin incident.

“Well, isn’t it good news that we’re getting married?” she asked, trying to cut the tension.

“Not when it’s not their news to share. This is exactly why I stay out of the public eye as much as I can. I’m gonna hit the gym and call it a night. I’ll talk to you tomorrow, yeah?”

“Yeah, I’ll talk to you tomorrow,” she said, feeling a little down.

“I love you, Allie.”

“Love you too, Josh.”

She hung up the phone and drove the rest of the way home in a bit of a daze. First, she now knew there was someone in her office who she couldn’t trust, but also Josh was retreating, which wasn’t good for anyone.


A few hours later, Allyson’s phone rang with JC’s face popping up on the screen.

“Hey, I didn’t think I’d hear from you tonight,” she said, picking up.

“I had to call. I feel awful about how I reacted earlier,” he sighed. “I know it’s not your fault, and people were naturally going to find out. I just have had so many rumors spread about me and people getting money from the tabloids by using and exploiting my name that I have a bit of a fight reaction when someone tries to tell – and sell – my story, our story.”

“I know,” Allyson said, simply. “And I get it. I didn’t think you were necessarily blaming me, but it did feel like you wanted to keep our engagement a secret. I want to scream it from the rooftops and have it on the front page of the LA Times.”

“I’m sorry, Allie. I didn’t mean to do that. I’m so excited about our future together, and I never want to minimize that. I don’t want to hide our engagement at all. I just don’t want other people telling our story – and getting money off of it – before we’ve had the chance to share it.”

“We can still control it,” Allyson said.

“How’s that?”

“Well, the Us Weekly story is nothing more than a couple paragraphs that we got engaged after the VMAs in Brooklyn. So let’s share our photos. No one can sell them if we put them out there for free. We can watermark them, so no one can steal them.”

“I’d never thought about that.”

“Come on, Mr. Twitter, get on it,” Allyson teased.

“OK, I’m liking this idea. This is why you’re the brains of the operation.”

“Not sure about all that, but I can come up with a few good plans.”

“This, New York; you’re 2-for-2, assuming this works.”

“It’ll work,” she said confidently.

“OK, let me reach out to Kevin to get the rest of the photos, and we can decide which ones we like best.”

“Perfect. We’ll take back our story.”

She could almost hear his smile. “Did you know you’re the best?”

“You’ve told me a time or two,” she laughed.

“Good, because you are. And never let me make you feel unimportant or like I don’t love what we have because you are the most important thing in my life, and I don’t think I love anything more than us.”

“I know, but I also know how this sort of stuff affects you, so I understand. We’ll fight back as a team. You don’t have to fight the tabloids alone anymore.”

He let out a long sigh. “Thank you. I love you. Have a good night’s sleep.”

“You too. Dream of me, and I’ll dream of you.”

“Always,” he said with a grin back on his face.



The next day, Allyson confronted Gretchen about the situation. Gretchen denied saying anything, but said she would help Allyson track down the person with the loose lips. One by one, Gretchen met with each of the members of the communications team with a copy of the magazine on her desk.

After the last person denied spreading the news, Gretchen sent out an email to the staff that read, “To whomever betrayed a colleague’s trust, consequences will become more severe if you do not come forward by the end of the day. We are a family, and this is not how family acts.”


Once nearly everyone had left for the day, Gretchen heard a knock on her office door and saw Tif, the community liaison assistant standing in her doorway. “What can I do for you, Tif?”

“I did it,” she said with a mix of pride and regret in her voice.
“You did what?”

“I went to the tabloid.”

“Tif, I am surprised. Thank you for coming forward. I’ll decide the consequence by the end of the week, but you have lost my trust and that of Allyson, for sure.”

“Are you going to tell her?”

“No, you’re going to tell her. But I am curious why you would sell her story.”

“Well, when you get married at 18 and realize the person you married isn’t who you thought he was, you end up with attorney fees for a divorce and custody battles.”

“I’m sorry to hear about your divorce, Tif. I know that’s difficult; I saw my sister go through it. But this,” she said, tapping the magazine, “was not the way to go.”

“I know that now.”

“Tomorrow, I’d like you and Allyson to be in my office at 8:30 before everyone else arrives.”

Tif just nodded and walked out the door as Gretchen proceeded to text Allyson about the development. Found the snitch. She has something to say. Plan to be in my office at 8:30.

I’ll be there. Should I prepare for the reveal?, Allyson quickly sent back.

Tif. I’ll let her explain.


The next day, both women were in Gretchen’s office, the only people in the auxiliary building before the rest of the staff arrived at 9.

“First of all, Allyson, I want to congratulate you again and apologize that this has spoiled it. I have taken pride in making this a family, and with that, I believe Tif has something she would like to say.”

“I’m sorry, Allyson. I shouldn’t have shared your story. It wasn’t mine to share. I just needed the money.”

Allyson nodded. “How much did you get?”

Tif looked down. “$1,000.”

“I understand you needed the money, but donate half of that – at least – here to the zoo.”

All Tif could do was nod and agree. She was in the wrong.

“You really could have caused some damage. Josh has dealt with this shit for years and goes into fight mode every time it happens. But we’re taking our narrative back. Thanks, Gretchen, for helping and for making this happen.” Before she said anything she might regret, Allyson left the other two and headed down to her office.


Ultimately, Gretchen chose to reassign Tif to a position where she would handle communications out of the reptile house, moving her out of the general communications office.


After work, Allyson headed north to JC’s so they could go through the pictures Kevin had sent over and select three of their favorites to share on their social media pages, both public and private accounts.


Logging into his Twitter account, JC selected the pictures and wrote, “My life changed forever six years ago, and I became the happiest person when the love of my life said yes and agreed to spend the rest of her life with me by my side.”


“Fairytales are true. I can’t believe I get to marry this man. How did I get so lucky?” Allyson posted to her pages.


Within five minutes, JC’s tweet and Facebook post had more than 150 retweets and shares. By that evening, the primetime entertainment shows had the pictures and the story, and anyone who tried to save the pictures was met with a giant watermark.

“You’re a genius,” JC said, kissing Allyson next to him on the couch and squeezing her shoulder.

“I’m just glad it worked,” she laughed. “Now, it’s time to focus on planning this wedding.”

 

“I’m locked in,” he said.


Chapter 48 by TurtlenecksAndTea

For the next few weeks, Allyson threw herself into wedding planning, their date set for March. They looked for venues in California, DC, New York and North Carolina. It might seem they would need a place for at least 1,000 people, but they wanted it to be safe, capping the guest list at 125 people and inviting only family and close friends.

They had three venues to tour in the LA area, but Allyson called it after the second tour. “This is it,” she beamed at JC, who was equally excited about what he saw.

“It’s perfect.”

The former theater, now wedding venue, was the fairytale place Allyson had been looking for, and it had a view that rivaled JC’s patio view.

Meeting with a representative for the venue, the couple tepidly told him their date, nervous that just over six months at this point would not be enough time to find an open date.

“March 22 at 6 p.m.?” he asked to confirm. They picked the date because it was after college spring breakers had left the area, and the weather is typically perfect.

“Yes. Is that available?” JC asked. We have a few alternates also, but that would be our ideal date.”

“It’s the last weekend we have available in March. You can have it from 6 to 11 that night.”

Allyson squeezed JC’s hand she had been holding. “It’s meant to be.”

“We’d like to book it,” JC said, once he saw the confirmation all over Allyson’s face.

With the deposit paid, catering services selected and bar package secured, Allyson breathed a sigh of relief as she focused on her dress and the cake.



The next week, the engagement pictures appeared in Us Weekly, but at that point, it had become old news. There was no scoop or provocative story to be had. JC smiled as he saw it. Ever since 1994, he had tried to find ways to fight against rumors, but it never crossed his mind to use social media to beat the tabloids at their own game. Going to People with their story had worked before and now he had a new quiver of arrows he could use.



Allyson tried on dress after dress until she found a lace, organza and tulle dress with a sweetheart neckline with stitched white floral and scroll embellishments throughout the bodice, spreading down across the entire skirt that flared out and stretched into an average-length train. The back came together a little further than midway down her back, and included the same embellishments from the front.

“This is it,” she muttered to herself as she let her hair fall across her shoulders in the dressing room, preparing to show the others.


“Damn!” Shannon nearly jumped from the couch.

“Honey, that’s beautiful,” Allyson’s mom said with a slight southern drawl.

“You look stunning,” her sister said in agreement.

“I feel good in this. I think this might be the one. It feels right.”

“Josh is going to fall in love with you all over again,” JC’s mom said, smiling.


Next, she looked at shoes, eventually deciding to wear a shorter heel that made her walk more secure, but still gave her the extra height she wanted. Then, she had some white converse shoes with “Mrs.” and “Chasez” written on the tops to put on at the reception.

Planning was going smoothly. The only thing they did not pick collaboratively was music, aside from their first dance – though that was not a difficult decision – and table decorations. Allyson left much of the music selection and decisions to JC, while JC stayed out of table decoration decisions. His one contribution was either above or below eye level, so no one was looking directly into centerpieces trying to talk to people across their table.


The flowers ordered, and the music lined up, they were nearing the point when it was just last-minute changes and adjustments. JC had lined up a series of live performers – all of whom were invited guests also – and a DJ who could handle the rest of the night.

 

 

As the countdown turned into a few weeks, both Allyson and JC tried to remain calm about what was about to happen.


Chapter 49 by TurtlenecksAndTea
Author's Notes:

The big day has arrived!

In the bridal suite, Allyson and her bridesmaids donned their floral-print robes and sipped mimosas as the manicurists tended to their nails.

“To, Allyson, the sweetest, kindest, luckiest, most beautiful bride to walk down the aisle,” Allyson’s sister Janie said, raising her champagne flute. “May you and Josh have the happiest, most fulfilling, truest life of love.”

The rest of the bridesmaids raised their glasses a bit higher and clinked them together in a toast.

“I can’t believe this is happening. This is happening right?” Allyson asked Janie and Shannon.

“Yes, it’s happening, and I couldn’t be happier for you,” Janie said, sticking a loose curl around the back of Allyson’s ear.

“And I think, um, did you have something you wanted to say to me?” Shannon asked, leadingly.

“Yes,” Allyson said with a laugh. “Thank you for making me make a fool of myself. Turns out it became quite the story.”

“It sure as hell did!” Shannon said with a laugh as she grabbed Allyson’s hands in hers. “I’m so happy for you!”



Over in the groom’s suite, JC looked at himself in the mirror and the guys sitting in the lux loungers behind him. “This is really happening isn’t it?” he asked, turning around to them.

“Yep,” Justin got up and walked over to JC. “The last of the *NSYNC bachelors is becoming a husband.” He rested his hands on JC’s shoulders. “It’s been fun, man.”

They laughed before Justin quickly added his congratulations. “You deserve this, man.”

“Thanks.”

“Dude, you have so much to look forward to,” Chris assured him. “Married life is the absolute best thing.”

“I can’t believe after everything, Allyson was there,” JC said.

“Sometimes, love stories are fairytales that you just have to let unfold,” Lance said.

“Yeah, I’ve never seen you so happy with anyone else,” Joey said.

“Plus, Mom and Dad love her!” JC’s brother Tyler chimed in.

“Come on, let’s get you ready for forever,” Justin said.


 

Over the course of the day, JC and his groomsmen got their tuxes on, while Allyson and her bridal party zipped up and buttoned their dresses. Allyson’s bridesmaids were in a dusty rose blush color that complemented the flowers Allyson had picked out.

 

The couple had decided they wanted the first look to happen in the aisle, so they met on either side of a wall near the suites to exchange notes they had written to each other. Allyson reached out her hand around the side of the wall, and JC quickly found it, interlacing his fingers with hers as they began reading silently to themselves. All the while, the photographers continued to snap pictures.


Josh, my best friend, I never imagined I’d find myself here, and can’t imagine being anywhere else. We’ve been through a lot already, and I know we’ll have a lot ahead. Together we will overcome every obstacle and celebrate every milestone, leading with love the entire way. I cannot wait to do life with you. Always. Allyson had added a perfect lipstick mark kiss.


My favorite barista, Allyson, I never would have thought our story, starting how it did, would lead to this moment, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. It is perfectly us. I have found a best friend and the love of my life. Looking back, I can’t imagine how I walked through life without you, and I can’t wait to move forward from here with you by my side. I’m always just a heartbeat away.


Their fingers massaged each other’s as they read the short, but sweet notes they had penned. All the anxiety Allyson had been feeling and the nervousness JC had felt was gone. All the butterflies were pure excitement.


            Guests were filing into the venue as cousins from both their families helped escort people to their seats. There was an energy in the space as everyone gathered to celebrate this love JC and Allyson shared.


As the moment arrived, JC took his place, more excited than he had ever felt before, but the nerves had set in again. He was doing this. They were doing this. This was happening. He was getting married!

Then, the piano began, and his head shot up toward the doors. One by one, each of his *NSYNC brothers walked down the aisle with JC’s sister, a couple of Allyson’s good childhood friends, Liz and Shannon before Tyler and Janie took their place as the best man and maid of honor.

JC watched as the doors closed again as Allyson and her dad got into position. Allyson’s dad, Don, had already cried once when he first saw Allyson, his oldest daughter, in her wedding dress.

“You’re beautiful, baby girl. He is lucky to have you, and I couldn’t be happier for the two of you. The love you have for each other radiates. It’s time to share it with the world.”

“Thank you, Daddy,” she said as she squeezed his arm and laid her head on her shoulder briefly.

“Are you ready to marry the man of your dreams?”

“More than ever,” she beamed. Her hair cascaded down in waves under her veil.

“Then let’s go.”


JC’s head snapped up again as he heard the piano begin playing again. The guests all stood as the doors opened again to reveal Allyson.

“Oh my God!” JC said under his breath to where only Tyler could hear him.

Allyson beamed at the man who would soon be her husband. She couldn’t smile any bigger than she already was as she began her walk down the aisle to become Mrs. Chasez, officially.

A small tear escaped the corner of JC’s eye, and as he reached up to wipe it away, Tyler put a reassuring hand on his brother’s shoulder.

As Allyson’s dad presented her and she turned to meet JC’s gaze, he whispered, “You’re beautiful.” Allyson blushed and smiled even bigger.


The wedding went exactly as rehearsed, both making it through their vows without crying. With the exchange of rings, the minister smiled toward the people gathered and proudly said, “By the authority vested in me by the State of California, I now pronounce you husband and wife!”


           Their first kiss was sweet, and Allyson let out an excited yell as they turned to walk down the aisle together hand in hand for the first time as husband and wife. As they reached the other side of the large wooden doors, JC turned to Allyson and kissed her again, this time a little harder as his right hand reached up to pull her head closer to him.

             “You are stunning! I can’t believe it! You’re my wife.”

“And you’re my husband! Ah haha!”


 

As the guests continued on to a cocktail hour, JC, Allyson, their families and the wedding party stayed back to take photos.


            As the reception began, the wedding party was introduced before the music changed to the Space Jam theme song. “Ladies and gentlemen,” the DJ announced into the microphone, “It is my honor to introduce, for the first time, Mr. and Mrs. Joshua Scott Chasez! Let’s hear it for Josh and Allyson!” JC twirled Allyson as they walked and danced into the reception, both grinning from ear to ear.


Everything was perfect. After some mingling, Allyson and JC took the dance floor for the first time as husband and wife.


            “Hey, give it up for the lovebirds. This is a special song just for them,” JC’s longtime friend and fellow musician Tony Lucca said into the mic as he sat down on a stool with his acoustic guitar.


           JC and Allyson slid into each other’s arms perfectly, naturally and began to sway to a familiar melody that had been specifically arranged for the occasion.


“Whenever I’m weary from the battles that rage in my head, you make sense of madness when my sanity hangs by a thread,” Tony began singing from the stage as JC whisper sang along in Allyson’s ear. “I lose my way, but still you seem to understand, now and forever, I will be your man. Sometimes I just hold you, too caught up in me to see I’m holding a fortune that heaven has given to me. I’ll try to show you each and every way I can, now and forever, I will be your man. Now I can rest my worries and always be sure that I won’t be alone anymore. Had I only known you were there all the time, all this time. Until the day the ocean doesn’t touch the sand, now and forever, I will be your man.”

As he finished the song, JC and Allyson shared a tender kiss.


As the dinner buffet opened, the DJ took over again with fun and romantic mid-tempo songs until people got back out on the dance floor again.


JC and Allyson spent most of their time on the dance floor, dancing with each other, with their friends and family and just enjoying themselves.


Later in the reception, Allyson whispered a very specific request in JC’s ear. He lowered his head and chuckled. “Really? You were serious about that?”

“Please,” she smiled.

“OK,” he kissed her a couple times on her lips.

As “How Sweet It Is” by James Taylor ended, he walked up to the stage and took the microphone. “Hi folks, thank you all for being here. This is an incredibly special day for Allyson and me, and each of you mean so much to both of us. Now, this isn’t a speech or anything, but I’m here with a special request that came from a very special person, namely my wife,” he pointed out into the audience. Everyone cheered at the mention of his wife. “A wise person once said, ‘Happy wife, happy life,’ so I’m here to make my wife happy. Fellas – J, Lance, Chris, Joe – would y’all mind joining me up here?”

The four of them, who had been yucking it up at their table, quickly looked in JC’s direction and made their way to the stage, all asking each other what it could be about.

“So I’ve had a special song request, but I could use y’all’s help. Think you remember this one?” he said as they each picked up a microphone and heard the soft drum and guitar beat begin playing. They all smiled at each other. While it was not necessarily a planned performance, they had prepared for it in advance of the wedding, guessing Allyson might make the request. They made a pact that they would only sing together if Allyson was the one to request it.

As the intro began, each of the guys took their place on the stage next to JC. “When the visions around you bring tears to your eyes,” Justin began singing, “and all that surrounds you are secrets and lies. I’ll be your strength, I’ll give you hope, keeping your faith when it’s gone. The one you should call was standing here all along.”

Then, all five lifted their mics, “And I will take you in my arms and hold you right where you belong. ’Til the day my life is through, this I promise you.”

JC had yet to take his eyes off Allyson and as his verse began, he stared even more intently across the dance floor at the love of his life. “I’ve loved you forever in lifetimes before, and I promise you never will you hurt anymore. I give you my word. I give you my heart, this is a battle we’ve won, and with this vow, forever has now begun.” He closed his eyes and opened them again to see that Allyson had moved to the front of the stage.

JC bent down and reached out his hand to hold hers, as they all began singing again, “Just close your eyes each loving day, and know this feeling won’t go away.”

Looking deeply into Allyson’s eyes, JC began again, “’Til the day my life is through, this I promise you. This I promise you. Over and over I fall – over and over I fall – when I hear you call. Without you in my life, baby, I just wouldn’t be living at all.”

By this point, everyone was mesmerized by what they were seeing. Not only was the performance perfect, but the love between JC and Allyson was palpable as the group continued singing with JC taking his solo moments, never once taking his eyes off Allyson.

“Every word I say is true, this I promise you.” Justin rests his hand on JC’s shoulder to tell him to keep going. Rather than Justin ending the song, JC continued, “Every word I say is true, this I promise you. Oooh I promise you.”

As the music faded out, JC leaned forward to kiss Allyson deeply as she squeezed his face between her hands. Everyone in the ballroom cheered, while some wiped tears from their eyes. It was the perfect moment every couple dreams of having on their wedding day.



By the time 10:30 rolled around, more and more people began leaving the venue, and by 11, the DJ started playing “Last Dance” and “Closing Time.” After running through a tunnel of bubbles, JC and Allyson climbed into a vintage Rolls Royce they had rented for the night, and it took them about five seconds before they shared an intimate kiss in the backseat and waved at the remaining guests as the car drove off.


Allyson laid her head on JC’s shoulder. “This was beyond perfect.”

JC snaked his arm around Allyson’s shoulder and kissed the top of her head. “That makes me happy. We could’ve gone to the Justice of the Peace, as long as I got to marry you. The party was just icing on the cake, literally,” he said, touching Allyson’s nose, laughing as he thought about the icing Allyson had placed on his nose a few hours earlier.

“It was everything I hoped it would be and then some,” she smiled, sitting up again to look at him. “And thank you for singing for me. That was my favorite part, besides actually getting to marry you.”

 “Mine too actually,” he smiled and kissed her again. “I wasn’t sure how I would feel about performing at my own wedding, but when I looked out and saw you, there wasn’t anyone else in the room but you. Having you there by the stage was one of the most special moments I’ve ever had. Thank you for that.”

She didn’t say anything, but simply kissed him hard on the mouth and rested her head on his shoulder again as the car drove along the surface roads.


At their hotel room for the night, JC picked Allyson up and carried her in his arms. “That’s what I’m supposed to do, right?” he looked down at her.

“Sure,” she laughed as her arms wrapped around his neck. “I’ll never turn down being carried by you.”

“Oh don’t tell me that,” he said with a smirk.

JC sat Allyson’s feet down on the ground and ran his hands up her body over her dress as his lips softly kissed the left side of her neck. He began undoing the buttons on the back of her dress before freeing the zipper, and Allyson carefully slid the dress down her body before hanging it up in the closet.

“You’re even more beautiful, if that’s possible,” he smiled, admiring the woman standing in front of him.

She blushed and offered to help JC out of his jacket as he began loosening his tie and together they got JC more comfortable.

Together, they explored each other’s bodies like it was the first time, their touches tender and soft and their kisses passionate. Just as JC’s mom had predicted, the two fell in love with each other all over again.






For the next two weeks, the couple traveled around the Mediterranean, spending time on the beaches, in the villages and in the villas they booked. JC had made sure no one could call him, and Allyson had resigned from her position at the zoo, knowing she would be relocating to LA. It was the best honeymoon they could imagine, and neither of them had any cares other than being with each other and their adventures for the day.

 

Once they were back in California, the work began again with JC in the studio writing and producing. His career was such that Allyson was able to take her time finding her next job. And soon she did with the City of Los Angeles, specifically as communications coordinator for the Los Angeles Zoo and Botanical Gardens.

Chapter 50 by TurtlenecksAndTea

Allyson and JC easily settled into married life, enjoying being under the same roof, enjoying each other and being active in each other’s lives.


A few years later, JC’s parents flew to California to celebrate *NSYNC’s latest accomplishment: a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

“Oh, don’t forget Randall’s lion, babe,” Allyson said to JC as they gathered everything for the ceremony.

“Got it. Diapers, lion, snacks, sippy cup, pacifier, extra clothes. Anything else?”

“I think that’s it.”

“OK, then, let’s roll,” JC said. He would be driving everyone to Chris’ hotel where he would then get into a car with Chris, Lance and Joey, and the rest of the family and friends would arrive a few minutes later through the side entrance, away from the cameras and fans.

Clad in a three-piece black suit with longer hair than he had had in years, JC was perfectly matched by the dark-green jumpsuit Allyson had selected for the occasion.

The ceremony was everything they hoped it would be. The crowd was huge and enthusiastic, the speeches were heartfelt and genuine – from everyone. Then, just as they were getting ready to start taking pictures, Randall started getting overwhelmed by the excitement and the crowd.

“Oh no! Bad timing, bud,” Allyson said as the 1 year-old in her arms began fussing.

“Give him here, I got it. You go get your pictures,” JC’s dad said.

“But you need a picture with your son,” she said.

“We’ll get one. You need to be up there. I’ll take care of this one,” he said, going into a baby voice, “and we’ll get pictures later. Won’t we? Yes we will.”

“Thank you!” she said and kissed the top of Randall’s head. “I’ll see you in a bit, Randy. Be good for Pops.”

JC looked confused when just Allyson and his mom walked up to get pictures with the group.

“Your dad’s calming Randall down,” she whispered to him.

“Oh no. We’ll get a big picture with everyone inside when it’s not so busy and loud.”

“That’s what he said too.”

“Where do you think I learned everything from?” he said loud enough now for his mom to hear, giving her a smirk and a wink. “I’m kidding! Love you, Mom!”

“Love you too, son,” she said. “Proud of you. Proud of all of you!”

As they were getting in position for the photo, JC lowered his head down to Allyson’s ear and whispered, “Did I tell you how beautiful you look?”

All she could do was smile and grab his hand as the flashes began.


Backstage, everyone cooed over Randall, Nash, and Silas and got all the pictures they couldn’t get outside, including the *NSYNC kids playing together.


“This feels good to be together like this again,” Chris said. “I love you, guys.”

“Brothers for life,” Lance said as they began a group hug.



The guys laughed and reminisced with family, friends and former management and crew members among the memorabilia set up in the Dirty Pop-Up Shop. Everything just felt good. Things felt right.




The next year when an opportunity to play Coachella came up, things felt right again. Allyson stood with the other special guests in their VIP area, they watched in awe at how well they were received as they took the stage and how natural they appeared on stage. It was as if no time had passed.


“Can we do this again?” JC asked backstage, still on a high from the stage.

“That was just like old times,” Joey said.

“And it felt good!” Lance said.

“Well, speak for yourself, I’m old now!” Chris joked. “No, seriously, I love being on stage with you guys. Maybe not full choreography like that, but I miss being on stage with you guys.”

              “Let’s do it then,” Lance said. “What’s stopping us?”

              “Well, we gotta check with Justin,” JC said. “He was cool with this, but this was a one-off.”

              “He’ll do it,” Chris said. “I guarantee it. The amount he talks about that time, I know he misses is as much as we do. He just doesn’t get to talk about it near as much as he’d like.”

 

              “I’ll get on the phone tomorrow then,” Lance said.


Chapter 51 by TurtlenecksAndTea
Author's Notes:

We're jumping ahead a bit - 8 years to be exact. The year is 2026. JC is 50, Allyson is 47, and they're living in Vegas with their family temporarily.

Sitting in an oversized beige leather chair, JC looked over in the direction of a gravely sound and laughed. “I can’t believe I let you talk me into another bulldog.”

“Oh stop it!” Allyson said from the kitchen where she was finishing making her cocktail. “You know you love him just as much as you loved Bronson.”

“I do,” he accepted, getting up from his seat and moving to the kitchen to grab himself a beer.

“How much time do we have until Chris gets back with the kids?”

Looking at the oven clock, Allyson reported they had the house to themselves for another hour and a half before Chris returned with their three children from the water park.

“Plenty of time,” he said as he moved behind Allyson and wrapped his arms around his wife’s waist, placing a few soft kisses behind her ear.

“Babe,” Allyson laughed at the move.

“What?” he laughed back. “I know you were thinking the same thing.”

“How do you know?”

“Your cheeks are slightly flushed and it’s radiating down to your neck,” as he planted kisses on both locations. “Plus, how often do we have the house to ourselves anymore?

“You think you know me so well, huh?”

“Yes, I believe I do.” He moved his lips back to her left ear.

Allyson let out a sigh as she leaned into his kisses that trailed down the side of her neck. “Are you sure?” she continued to teasingly ask.

Hearing this false doubt, JC who was already close to Allyson took a step closer and began moving his hands along his love’s body, from the top of her thighs up to her rib cage, forcing Allyson to set down the glass she had in her hand.

The touches were delicate, but backed with passion Allyson could feel in more ways than one, sending shivers all through her body.

Unable to tease much more, she turned around to face JC, her face flushed. Even if she wanted to, she couldn’t pretend like she didn’t want him.

“Want to keep denying it?”

“Given the direction you were going, kind of, but I’m not sure how long I’ll last with that. … Or you,” she said looking down.

“Check mate,” JC said, attacking her lips as he reached his arms back around Allyson and picking her up as she instinctively wrapped her legs around his waist. “God you’re beautiful, and I am the luckiest guy in the world. How much time do we have?” he asked, taking a break in kisses as they both breathed heavily.

“An hour, 15,” she said.

At that moment JC’s phone buzzed on the coffee table. “Ugh,” he said as he sat Allyson down in a chair and grabbed the phone. He’d barely gotten into the living room.

Hey C, the kids are hungry. Mind if I take them to get pizza before bringing them back?

Yeah man, less mouths for us to feed. Thanks

JC smiled as he tossed the phone onto the couch. “What is it?” Allyson asked.

“Chris said the kids are hungry and asked if he could take them to get pizza.”

“What did you tell him?”

“What do you think I told him?” he laughed.

“I think we have an extra hour.”

“Bingo!”

“Race you upstairs,” she joked.

“You’re on!” JC said.


Allyson leapt from the chair and ran to their bedroom, while JC pretended to make a similar move. Truthfully, he loved watching her go upstairs and took in the sight. But before she could run down the hallway from the top of the stairs to the bedroom, JC caught up to her and grabbed her waist again, spinning her around, as their lips met and they began exploring each other like they’d been deprived for years.

He guided them to the bed, which Allyson fell onto, followed by JC on top.

Their lips barely left each other as they fell and then only separated long enough for JC to pull his white V-neck over his head and Allyson to remove her tank top.

JC smiled and groaned as he looked down at the love of his life laying so vulnerable before him.

“God I love you,” he said as he pressed his weight into her.

“I love you, all of you,” she said as her hands moved up and down his back and her fingers settled on the waistband of his sweatpants.

“Oh you want these off?” he teased.

“Yes please.”

“Ok, but you have to remove your relics from the 2000s,” he responded, referring to the Soffe shorts Allyson was wearing.

“Don’t knock ’em! They’re comfortable,” she retorted as she lifted her hips up to push the shorts down her legs.

“Much better,” JC said, as he laid back down on top of Allyson.

“I agree. Much more comfortable.”

“You ready?” he asked after about five minutes of more passionate kissing.

“Yes. Oh God yes,” she said. Without another second, JC pushed himself into Allyson, feeling just how ready she really was.


With three kids under the age of 10, it had been a while since they had really been able to make love, and they were not going to take it for granted.

“Oh, Josh,” Allyson moaned as JC found his rhythm, not moving too quickly but not exactly taking his time either.

Allyson let her hands roam JC’s body, from the front to the back as each muscle engaged and flexed.

“Oh, God, baby! Oh God! I need to slow down,” he panted.

Allyson could barely speak, but she nodded, letting him know she was with him. Truthfully she needed a slow down too. She had gone from 0 to 60 before even making it to the bedroom.

JC slowed it down. “Want me to take over?” Allyson breathlessly asked.

He didn’t even answer, but simply flipped them over so she was now on top of him. She kept the slower pace as she took control.

JC moved his hands to her hips and thighs as his eyes closed and he sucked in a breath through gritted teeth.

The pace continued until they locked eyes again. “You ready?” she asked.

“Let’s go,” he smiled.

Without another word, he flipped them over again and went back to a more feverish pace, hitting even deeper than he had before.


“Oh! Oh!” Allyson let out as he slammed into her.

JC changed his position for a second to place his mouth next to her ear. “Come with me,” he whispered, going back to his original position, looking down at this woman he’d loved for the better part of the last two decades.

That was all it took as everything in her tensed and she clawed at JC’s arms, as JC let out a loud moan as he let himself go too.

Completely spent, he collapsed alongside Allyson on the bed, both of their chests rising and falling as they tried to catch their breath.


“You caught me,” she smiled on his lips, referencing their race up the stairs.

“So I’ve won four times.”

“Four? I counted two – the kitchen and the stairs. I demand a recount.”

“Hush! Who are you? Florida?” he breathlessly laughed. “Once in the kitchen, once on the stairs, once when I socked you in the jaw and got you to agree to let me take you to dinner and then when you said yes to spend your life with me.”

“I concede,” she said, smiling at him as she reached over and caressed his face, continuing to kiss him softly.


After taking a few minutes to compose themselves, the couple cleaned themselves up and got dressed again. They lounged lazily on the couch as Allyson laid her head on JC’s shoulder and put her legs up on the couch.

“So what do you want to watch?”

“We can go with the classic,” JC said.

“What do you mean?”

“What do you mean what do I mean? What did we watch the first time we spent the night together?”

“Oh, HGTV,” she laughed. “And run the tape back, you’ll find that you were on the couch that night.”

“But you were checking me out,” he laughed, repositioning himself so Allyson could lay her head on his lap.

“Of course I was. Who wouldn’t?” she laughed as she accepted the invitation, JC’s hand resting on her natural waist.


About 10 minutes into the home renovation show, Chris rang the gate buzzer.

“Mommy! Daddy! We got chocolate pizza!” Lily, their youngest, 4, said as she leapt into JC’s arms as the group walked into the house.

He laughed, “Oh did you now?” shooting Chris a look that said “I hate you” knowing the sugar rush that awaited their evening.

Chris just shrugged and smiled. “What? It’s their favorite. Can you say no to her?”

JC let out a breath and laughed. “No.”


“Did all of you get chocolate pizza?” Allyson asked the other two children.


“Yup,” Randall, now 9, said as he walked past his parents and plopped down on the loveseat like a sack of potatoes.

JC kissed Lily on the cheek and set her back down.


“Where’s Nash?” Allyson asked. 

“Oh Briahna and Kloey took the rest of the kids home, since they’re all in that direction,” he said. Briahna and Kloey were the oldest of the *NSYNC kids, which now also consisted of Chris and Karly’s children Nash and Ryleigh, Justin and Jessica’s sons Silas and Phin, Lance and Michael’s twins Vy and Alex, and JC and Allyson’s three, Randall, Ellie and Lily.

The nice thing about being the summer was Briahna and Kloey could help chaperone their outings.


JC walked over to where Randall had sat on the loveseat. “Hey, bud. What’s with the attitude?”

“McKenzie was there,” he said with a breath.

“At the water park or the restaurant?”

“Restaurant.”

“Say no more. I get it. But check the attitude.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Good.”

McKenzie was Randall’s first crush and they had “dated” for a month at the start of summer break but went their separate ways by mid-July, leaving Randall feeling heartbroken. It was as real a heartbreak as he had felt in his 9 years.


“What was your favorite thing, baby girl?” Allyson asked their middle child, Ellie, 6.

“Going down the big slide!” she replied excitedly.

“Oh really?” she asked, glaring at Chris.

“It was the smallest ‘big kid’ slide,” he whispered, leading Allyson to smile and nod.

“Oh! Well that was nice of Uncle Chris. I want all of you to say thank you to Uncle Chris for inviting you to the waterpark today and taking you to dinner. Then, I want y’all to go upstairs and get changed. Hang your bathing suits on the side of the tub.”

“Yes ma’am,” they yelled in unison as they rushed to their bedrooms. Ellie and Lily still shared a room, and Randall was in the third bedroom.


Hearing both doors close, Chris looked squarely at JC and Allyson. “Y’all fucked your brains out didn’t you?”

They both tried to hide their smiles.

“I knew it!” Chris laughed. “Karly said I shouldn’t take the kids to get pizza, and I told her y’all would have no problem with a little extra alone time.”

“Do you blame me,” JC said, wrapping his arms around his wife, planting a kiss on her cheek before dipping his head to kiss her neck.
“Yeah, I’m gonna go before y’all get freaky deaky in this living room again. See ya tomorrow, C.”

The next day began rehearsals for their latest Las Vegas residency. It was their third in partnership with The Venetian, and it was poised to be the best one yet after their latest music dropped earlier in the year.

“I’m so proud of you, Josh,” she turned around to face her husband as Chris left.

“For what?” he kissed her lips quickly.

“For facing your fears, getting back out there again and letting all this happen for you and just being the best you you can be for yourself, for your brothers, for your fans, and especially for us.”

 

“Always,” he said simply as they exchanged a soft kiss.


End Notes:

That's it! I'd love to know what y'all thought about Allyson and JC's story!

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=3048