The Meaning of Christmas by GiveMeGreenandBlue
Summary:

JC discovers his true feelings for his best friend while writing for *NSYNC’s Christmas album. 


Categories: Completed Het Stories Characters: JC Chasez
Awards: None
Genres: General
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 5155 Read: 80 Published: Dec 23, 2021 Updated: Dec 23, 2021

1. Chapter 1 by GiveMeGreenandBlue

Chapter 1 by GiveMeGreenandBlue
Author's Notes:

This is my first story I am sharing with the world.  This one is a short Christmas story.  

It was June and *NSYNC was on tour and was counting down to their next break. They were on the last leg of the tour.  JC was planning on going back to Orlando, spend a few days with family and then spend the rest of his waking hours in the studio or with Lacy, his best friend.  Two weeks and they were finally getting a break. 

 

 

They were pulling into the next town when Johnny received a call from management that they were to go straight to the conference room at the hotel when they arrived.  You could hear the groans from his 4 best friends.  They knew a meeting with their management company meant more work.  

 

 

“I swear if he takes our break away from us I will go off on him" JC thought to himself. He already had plans for spending as much time as possible with Lacy. 

 

 

JC and Lacy met at the local audition for MMC.  Lacy was clearly not an actress or dancer, but wow could she sing.  After her audition she was in the hall with tears running down her face. JC had completed his audition and was waiting on the first round to be posted.  He walked past her and heard her crying.  He didn’t know what to do so he sat down next to her and wanted to cheer her up.  He didn’t know what drew him to her, but he knew he wanted to be her friend. They have been inseparable since.  JC brought Lacy out on tour as much as possible, even more now that they were back in the states.  

 

 

The last few days JC had been thinking about all the things he wanted to tell Lacy, all the things he wanted to see, the songs he wanted to share with her.  JC was deep in thought when he felt the bus stop.  He heard Lance calling his name that it was time to go.  They made their way to the conference room groaning the whole way.  Lou was already there, ready to deliver the news. 

 

 

Around the table sat Lance, Joey, Chris, Justin, JC, Johnny, Melinda and Lou at the head.  Lou started talking about how the record label wanted to the next *NSYNC album by the end of the year.  Jaws dropped and the guys didn’t know if they were ready to do another album.  Justin was the first to speak up and say, “We just started out on our first tour.  Don’t you think we need to tour a little longer before we get back in the studio?”  Lou spoke up and said, “No, I think we need to keep the record label happy and if they want a record then they will get a record.” 

 

 

JC hated when Lou acted like this, but he was management, so they went along with what he said.  Lou told them that they would meet again that evening at the venue before they went on stage to discuss this further and that they were dismissed.  

 

 

The guys got on the elevator to head to their rooms.  The elevator was silent until Chris spoke up and said, “Dismissed, like we are freaking kids in school.” Everyone started laughing.  When they arrived on their floor Johnny told them to meet in his room in 20 minutes.   

 

 

They all arrived back in Johnny’s room and were discussing the meeting, to be prepared for when Lou met with them later that night.  Johnny and Melinda had been discussing album possibilities.  Melinda spoke up and said “Guys, if management wants another album, let’s do something fun. Let’s talk about a Christmas album.” 

 

 

All the guys seemed intrigued.  “A Christmas Album, for our second album?  Are we established enough?” Lance piped in.  

 

 

After much discussion it was set they would tell Lou that if the label wanted a second album it would be a Christmas album.  The guys were starting to pull songs together in between everything else they had going on.  

 

 

JC was in his bunk the next night writing Lacy an email telling her about the Christmas album, telling her that he had already had some Christmas lyrics running around in his head. He talked about how excited he was to see her.  How he wanted all of her extra time.  JC hit send and closed the laptop.  

 

 

He started thinking about Lacy and the song he started writing a while back.  He didn’t think of it as a Christmas song, but he played with the words a little. He thought it might be something.  HIs mind drifted back to when he was writing it.  It was their first Christmas overseas.  He started thinking about how much he missed Lacy.  As he looked back over the lyrics he had changed into a Christmas fit, he felt it even more. 

 

 

Comin' home for the holidays

 

Seeing friends from around away

 

There was always something missing for me

 

On a sleigh ride caroling

 

Didn't really mean anything

 

Without that someone who can make it complete

 

While the snows falling down

 

There was joy all around

 

'cause girl your love has shown me the way

 

 

He was taken back to that feeling of need for Lacy.  He didn’t know where it came from.  It scared him at first, and then he pushed it off to the side and just decided it was because she was his best friend.  All these years later that is where they stood.  When JC came home from overseas Lacy had a boyfriend and JC soon started dating someone as well.  

 

 

He had drifted off to sleep thinking of Lacy.  It was the most peaceful sleep he had in weeks.  He woke up wanting to see Lacy more than yesterday.  He knew the next few days were going to drag by.  

 

 

The last show was in Orlando; it was their home show.  All their friends and families would be there.  She would be there.  He couldn’t wait to see his family, but most of all he couldn’t wait to see her.  

 

 

*Day of the last show*

 

They were getting ready to pull into the venue and JC was more hyper than normal.  He was driving everyone crazy.  He was now counting down the minutes to see Lacy.  She was meeting him before sound check.  She would be there with him all day.  The bus stopped and there she was.  She was dressed in a flowy pink top that hung on her shoulders and jeans.  Her light brown hair was pulled up in a high ponytail. She looked beautiful.  He wondered had she always been so pretty or was he just really missing her?  He was running to get off the bus as fast as he could.  He ran up to her and picked her up and spun her around as they laughed.  Before he could pull away she jumped up to wrap her arms around his neck.  She whispered in his ear “ Josh, I missed you so much.  You are not getting rid of me until you get back on that bus.” He was so happy to hear that.   He put her down and she grabbed his hand as they walked inside.  

 

 

They had about an hour until sound check.  They went and found a quiet spot in the back of the arena away from all the activity of getting ready for the show.  They caught up on all things that had happened since they talked on the phone the last time.  JC had a hard time concentrating on their conversation, he couldn't get the thoughts out of his head about his feelings for Lacy. Where did they come from?  Did she feel the same?  How should he act on them?  Should he act on them? She noticed that he was getting distracted.  

 

 

“Josh, hello...where are you?”

 

 

“Sorry Lac, I spaced out for a minute.” 

 

 

“What is on your mind?  Do you want to talk about it?”

 

 

“Not right now, maybe later.”

 

 

“You know you can talk to me about whatever you are thinking about or whoever you are thinking about.”

 

 

“I know. Now tell me what you think about coming to the studio with me this week to work on some Christmas songs.”

 

 

“Oh I would love that!" 

 

 

He mentally made a note to make sure that when he played the song for her it was the right moment.  

 

 

They went to Josh’s dressing room curled up on the couch and stayed until it was time for him to start getting ready for sound check. They walked out to the stage with Lacy on Josh's back.  When they walked out on stage the other 4 members of *NSYNC ran over and grabbed Lacy off of Josh's back.  

 

"Lacy bug!!!!  I was starting to think JC wasn't going to share you with us!" Lance exclaimed as he gave his friend a big hug.

 

She hugged each of the guys and then took a seat in the arena to watch the sound check.  The fans started to file in, screaming when they saw the guys!  JC couldn't keep his eyes off of Lacy.  He noticed that she couldn't keep her eyes off of him either.  When he sang “I Just Wanna Be With You” he couldn’t help looking back at her.  He didn’t know what was getting into him.  He guys were starting to notice the looks between the two of them during sound check.  When they wrapped up the guys were in one of the dressing rooms.  

 

 

“C, what is up with you?” Chris asked

 

 

“What do you mean, we just finished sound check.”

 

 

“Yeah man, something has been up with you since Lacy got here. In fact the last couple of days something has been going on,” Lance chimed in.

 

 

“But man, did y’all see how good Lacy looks? I think I might ask her to dinner while we are on break,” Joey told the group.  

 

 

JC looked over to Joey and said, “Fatone, you even think about it, and we will be finding a new Y for the group.” 

 

 

“Woah C, are you finally admitting that you have feelings for Lacy?  I mean we have all known this for years, it’s about time you catch up” Justin laughed. 

 

 

“What are y’all talking about?  Lacy is my best friend.  Nothing else.” JC said, as he thought about the way he had been feeling.  He walked off, thinking about his feelings for Lacy. He grabbed his notebook and went to find a quiet place to finish his song.  He could hear Lacy was in with the guys, that would buy him a little time.  

 

 

He had been writing longer than he thought he would. He had finally finished it.  He was reading back over the lyrics and he couldn't keep his mind off of Lacy. “Were the guys right?  Have I been in love with Lacy and I didn't realize it?” He was lost in his thoughts when someone found him.  He closed his notebook as someone covered his eyes.  He immediately knew it was Lacy.  She whispered in his ear, "I come to see my best friend who I have missed so much and I find him hiding in a corner by himself.  Maybe Joey wants to see me."  Before she could walk away Josh pulled her around him so she fell in his lap.  She had her arms wrapped around his neck and she was laughing and his sudden move.  All Josh could think was, “I could kiss her right now.”  Little did he know that she was wishing for him to kiss her.  

 

 

She placed her head on his chest and they both squeezed tight.  "Lac, I have missed you so much!" He softly spoke in her ear.  He pulled away just enough to look her in her eyes.  "Will you come to dinner with me tomorrow night? I want to play my song for you before I play it for the guys."  

 

 

"I would love to hear it.  You must have found your motivation with it, I know you were struggling with it the other day.  Josh, you are going to have to tell me to leave.  I plan on spending every waking moment that I can with you. You are going to be ready to go out on tour again to get rid of me." 

 

 

"I will never get tired of you being around.  You can even spend sleeping hours with me if you want." He winked at her.  

 

 

“Is Josh flirting with me?  He has been acting differently since I got here. Is it time to let all my feelings out?”  Lacy had a ton of feelings and thoughts running through her head.  She rested her head back on his chest.  She took so much comfort in hearing his heartbeat.  

 

 

Their quiet moment came to a quick end when they heard Chris yelling, "C and Lacy stop making out, it's time to get ready for the show." 

 

 

Lacy and Josh started laughing.  Lacy kissed him on the check and whispered in his ear, "Play along with me."  She thought, if he is flirting with me let's see how he handles this.  She grabbed his hand and laced her fingers through his and pulled him back towards the guys dressing room.  They walked in and the guys just watched them.  Before they could say anything, Lacy went over to Chris and put her finger in his chest, "Little man, you sure do know how to ruin the mood don't you?  I haven't seen that fine man over there in months and you can’t let us have a little bit of time together before I have to share him with an arena full of girls."  There were 4 jaws just dropped staring at her.  She walked back over to Josh and sat down in his lap and wrapped herself around him.  She put her mouth right up to his ear, "If they are still watching us run your hands up and down my back." He did and they both laughed a little.  He continued their quiet conversation, "Hold on tight."  He stood up with her still wrapped around his body.  He walked her over to the dressing table.  He put her on the counter and looked at her, "Don't move, I have to start getting ready and I want this audience to help."  He kissed her cheek and went to change his clothes, when she realized he wasn't going to change in front of her she yelled to him, "Hey, I paid for a show!" He laughed and came back out with his opening costume and then looked at the guys and said, "Are y'all going to watch us or get ready?  Y'all interrupted our time together and now you can't stop watching us? Okay, if that's what you want." He walked back over to Lacy and kissed her neck and she wrapped her arms around his neck.  The other guys got up in full surprise and went to change into their opening costumes.  Lacy and Josh laughed to each other.  "That was amazing, they totally fell for it. Nice acting honey!"  

 

 

The guys gathered in the hall to hacky before they went on stage.  Lacy was hanging out in the hall waiting for them to finish.  Once they were ready to go on stage she gave them all a hug, she got to Justin and he looked at her and asked, "You and C were just pulling our leg right?" She laughed and said, "I guess we all will have to wait and see."  She jumped in Josh’s arms and gave him a big hug, kissed him on the cheek and whispered, "I am your biggest fan, it is just me out there, I am so proud of you." She kissed them all on the cheek and went to find her seat on the front row.  

 

 

As the guys were getting ready to run out on stage Joey looked at JC and said, "Man you look really happy around her.  She looks good on you. Don't screw it up." JC looked back at him and said, "I don't plan on it.  I hope she feels the same." Joey stood there so shocked that he entered the stage late.  

 

 

The show was one of their best. JC found Lacy several times during the show.  He couldn’t keep his eyes off of her and sang to her several times.  She couldn’t believe the way he was looking at her.  This was the first time that both of them were in the same country and neither of them were dating anyone.  Maybe this was their time.  She couldn’t wait to spend the day with him tomorrow.  She had made a list of things they wanted to do while he was on break.  She had the list on her fridge next to her countdown she made.  She had missed her best friend so much and was hoping that by the time he went back on tour they would be more than friends.  

 

 

As the show was ending Lacy made her way backstage.  She couldn’t wait to see the guys and tell them how much she loved the show.  She suddenly felt the need to tell Josh how attractive he was on the stage. She didn’t know if she should say something or not.  She told herself that she would know what to do when she saw him.  She finally made her way backstage and knocked on the main dressing room door and could hear all 5 of them.  “Come in” she heard from the other side of the door.  As soon as the door opened she was attacked by sweaty hugs.  Lance, Justin, Chris and Joey were all talking a mile a minute about all the things they wanted to do tonight.  She glanced over at Josh who was leaned up against the wall watching her laugh at the guys reactions.  “Guys, one thing at a time.  We have two weeks.  But first y’all need to change clothes.  I can drive everyone home if you want to go there first.  

 

 

“I think I am going to take a shower here and change. If I walk in my house, I am not going to want to leave,” Justin commented.  The guys started to disperse to shower and get ready when Joey turned around and said, “Look we are all going to go out tonight and it wouldn’t be right if you weren’t with us. We missed you too Lac.”  “Guys of course I will be there, I have missed all of you.”  She walked over to Josh and leaned up against him and whispered, “I missed you most of all.  I forgot how amazing you are on stage. You were on fire tonight.  There was something different about you on stage tonight.  I don’t know what it was, but I hope it stays.”  He pulled her close and said, “You are what made tonight different.  Looking out in the crowd and seeing you made me want to do my very best.  Like I was only performing for you! Now let me go get dressed and you and I have a night together. I’ll be out in a few minutes and then you are all mine.”  He walked away and she said, “Josh, I am already all yours.”  She winked at him and he flashed that million dollar smile at her.  She felt weak at the knees when he walked away.  She was still in the same place when Josh came out clean and ready to go.  He grabbed her hand, “Alright beautiful you and me have an audience waiting.”  They walked out to meet the guys, hand in hand.  The group figured out where they were going.  Lacy agreed to drive everyone to the chosen destination.  

 

 

They made their way to the Rock N Roll Beach Club, one of their favorite hangouts.  They could eat, dance and just hang out.  It was nice being all together again with the guys.  Lacy had missed the guys so much while they were gone.  It was nice to laugh with them, dance with them and just be the six of them.  JC pulled Lance off to the side to get drinks while everyone else was on the dance floor. “I’m going to tell her man. I have too, if I don’t I am going to explode and say something at the wrong time.” JC vomited out the words. 

 

Lance couldn’t believe what he was hearing.  “You are finally going to tell her how you feel?  When did you finally figure it out?” 

 

“I think deep down I always knew, but seeing her today did something to my heart.  I think I always told myself it wasn’t real because one of us was always with someone else, but now we are both single and I can’t get her off my mind.”  

 

“You guys are great together.  I think you really met your match with her.” 

 

“So here is where I need your help. We have been here a while. It is time to shut this down.  I need to be the last one dropped off.  Can you help me make that happen?” 

 

“Dude of course.”

 

 

The guys made their way back over to the group with drinks for everyone. “Alright, this is last call.” Lance announced.  "Get your last orders in and get your last dances out because I am calling for my ride and my ride is y'alls ride, so wrap it up!" 

 

 

As the group piled into Lacy's car she started driving around dropping the guys off.  Lance and JC were the last ones, they both lived close to Lacy.  "Hey Lac, would you mind taking me home first?  I just got a message that I need to make a phone call."  Lacy pulled up to Lance's house and JC got out to say goodbye to his friend, "Don't mess this up man.  I can tell she feels the same way." Lance said as he hugged his brother. 

 

 

Josh got back in the front seat and she started laughing.  Josh looked at her while she was laughing so hard she had tears running down her face. 

 

 

"Could he have been more obvious?  If he wanted to make sure that you were the last one I drop off he could have just said so and I would have told him that was my plan the whole time."  

 

 

"So if that was your plan, what did you have in mind?" 

 

 

 "Well we are going to go back to your house, I'm going to change into something comfy and you are going to play that song for me.  And then we will see what happens next."  

 

 

"That sounds like a good plan to me, I mean technically it is tomorrow now anyways, so we can still spend the day together.  I am not anywhere ready to sleep. So you want to hear the song now, huh?"

 

 

"I do!"

 

 

They pulled in at his house, both so nervous, both feeling like their lives were about to change.  Josh unlocked the front door, threw his keys on the table by the door.  He threw himself on his couch, it felt so good to be back in his own house and to have Lacy there. She sat down on the couch next to him, close enough that he could touch her but not right next to him.  

 

 

She laid down and put her head on his leg, he started to run his fingers through her hair.  He scooted down on the couch where he was laying next to her.  He pulled her close to him and couldn't help breathing in the scent from her hair.  

 

 

She felt him tighten his wrap around her, she never felt so safe as she did in this moment in his arms.  She never wanted to move.  She then felt something she didn't expect, she felt Josh’s lips on her neck.  She melted into his arms and he placed soft kisses along her neck and shoulder, he moved back up her neck and took her ear with a little nibble.  

 

 

"I don't hear you complaining, but I feel like I need to tell you something.  I think it is time for you to hear the song. Why don't you go get comfy and I'll make us some hot chocolate to set the Christmas mood."  

 

 

They both laughed, she turned to face him and said, "Only you would fix hot chocolate in the summer to make it feel like Christmas.  I'll bump the air down and grab some blankets on my way back."  She kissed his cheek and jumped up.  She ran down the hall to Josh's room stopping at the thermostat and bumped the air down.  She got to Josh’s room and opened the drawer in his dresser where she knew his sweats would be.  He always let her wear his sweats and she loved smelling like him.  She went to the bathroom and opened the drawer that she knew he would have a scrunchie, he noticed the drawer was empty except for her scrunchies. She started to look at her surroundings, there was no sign of a female, except for her things.  She went back to his room, no signs of a female in the room either.  Only pictures of her. She knew that he was single, but standing here it really hit her.  She was suddenly even more nervous. Maybe this was their time. Maybe he knew as well.  She heard him call out from down the hall "It is summer and I am freezing. Will you either hurry up or bring me a hoodie of my own?" She grabbed him a hoodie and went back down to the living room.  

 

 

He watched her walk down the hall dressed in his clothes.  He immediately had two thoughts at the same time: Damn she looks good in my clothes and I can't wait to get her out of my clothes.  He laughed at his own thoughts. 

 

 

She stuck out her hand to give him his hoodie, and he grabbed her by the waist instead and said, "I think I prefer you." She tossed the hoodie to the ground. Now Missy I think I have a song for you to hear.  He grabbed her hand and laced their fingers together as he walked them to the piano.  They sat down on the bench and Josh looked at her and smiled and started playing.  He took a deep breathe and started singing: 

 

 

Lookin' back on childhood days

 

I can't believe my foolish ways

 

Thought that christmas only came from a story

 

Had to know what was there for me

 

Underneath the christmas tree

 

I didn't know that there could be so much more

 

But in all of the rush

 

I was missing so much

 

Girl you made me finally see

 

That I never knew the meaning of christmas

 

'till you came into my life

 

I was lost in the dark

 

'till you opened my heart

 

Like an angel shining bright

 

I wished on a star

 

And girl here you are

 

Suddenly I realize

 

That I never knew the meaning of christmas

 

'till I looked into you eyes

 

 

Comin' home for the holidays

 

Seeing friends from around away

 

There was always something missing for me

 

On a sleigh ride caroling

 

Didn't really mean anything

 

Without that someone who can make it complete

 

While the snows falling down

 

There was joy all around

 

'cause girl your love has shown me the way

 

 

That I never knew the meaning of christmas

 

'till you came into my life

 

I was lost in the dark

 

'till you opened my heart

 

Like an angel shining bright

 

I wished on a star

 

And girl here you are

 

Suddenly I realize

 

That I never knew the meaning of christmas

 

'till I looked into your eyes

 

 

Fa la la la la...

 

Sing it la la la la

 

La la la

 

Fa la la la la...

 

Sing it la la la la

 

La la la..

 

 

But in all of the rush

 

I was missing so much

 

Girl you made me finally see..yeah

 

 

That I never knew the meaning of christmas (never knew, never knew, never knew...)

 

'till you came into my life

 

I was lost in the dark

 

'till you opened my heart

 

Like an angel shining bright

 

I wished on a star

 

And girl here you are

 

Suddenly I realize

 

That I never knew the meaning of christmas

 

'till I looked into you eyes

 

 

That I never knew the meaning of christmas

 

'till I looked into your eyes

 

 

When he finished he looked at Lacy, she was crying.  He turned them to face each other.  He pulled her close to him and ran his fingers through her hair.  They pulled back from the hug and looked at each other, both knew this was the moment.  

 

 

"Josh, that song…" 

 

 

He interrupted her as his lips touched hers.  They both felt a spark in the kiss.  The kiss started off sweet and soon Josh ran his tongue along her bottom lip asking for permission to deepen the kiss.  Their tongues met and they both sighed. The kiss ended, he looked at her, "I just had to kiss you. I've wait too long to do that.  Lacy, I love you.  I think I have always loved you and never knew that it was you I was always searching for."

 

 

"Josh, that song was beautiful!  The words are straight from your heart.  I love you too."  

 

 

"I am so glad Christmas came early."

 

 

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=3058