You Ruined Me by BoybandandCoffeeGirl
Summary:

Alexis Danielle Moretti is an up and coming R & B/Pop Recording artist trying to make her mark in the Music industry when a ghost from her past re-enters her life and re-ignites a family feud.  


Categories: Completed Het Stories Characters: JC Chasez
Awards: None
Genres: Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 26 Completed: Yes Word count: 136506 Read: 1613 Published: Feb 21, 2022 Updated: Feb 21, 2022

1. Chapter 1-9 pt.1 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

2. Chapter 1-9 pt.2 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

3. Chapter 1-9 pt. 3 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

4. Chapter 1-9 pt.4 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

5. Chapter 1-9 pt.5 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

6. Chapter 10 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

7. Chapter 11 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

8. Chapter 12 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

9. Chapter 13 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

10. Chapter 14 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

11. Chapter 15 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

12. Chapter 16 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

13. Chapter 17 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

14. Chapter 18 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

15. Chapter 19 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

16. Chapter 20 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

17. Chapter 21 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

18. Chapter 22 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

19. Chapter 23 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

20. Chapter 24 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

21. Chapter 25 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

22. Chapter 26 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

23. Chapter 27 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

24. Chapter 28 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

25. Chapter 29 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

26. Chapter 30 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

Chapter 1-9 pt.1 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl
Author's Notes:

Chapters 1-9 are posted in chunks...this is because when I took the story down chapters 1-9 accidentally got deleted from my computer.  Shout out to the reader who helped me recover them.  You know who you are.  

 

 

The room filled with sunshine and the birds chirped from somewhere just beyond the window but she did not move.  She knew that her alarm would start ringing at any moment but she was determined to savor what few moments of peace she had left.  As soon as that alarm went off her time was not her own.  As soon as that alarm went off, she was no longer Alexis Danielle Moretti normal everyday 27 year-old.  No, the moment the alarm sounded gone was Alexis, and in her place would be Danielle Moretti, R & B recording artist.  Yes, they shared the same body but they were two very different people.

And there it was, the sound of reality ringing in her ears.  Groaning she pulled the covers over her head and willed the noise to stop but it wouldn’t, not without her help.  She had two choices, she could hit snooze or she could give in and get up.  Unfortunately, both involved moving which meant in the end she would be getting up anyway so she might as well just get it over with.  Muttering a few choice phrases to herself she pushed the covers aside and pushed herself into a sitting position.  Growling she looked at the numbers at the clock and then shook her head and rolled her eyes.  Why anyone would actually choose to be up at this hour was beyond her comprehension.  Then she heard the sound of movement coming from the kitchen and she had to fight not to scream.

“That girl is entirely too motivated.” Alexis grumbled.

Sighing in defeat Alexis swung her legs over the bed and forced herself to a standing position.  The day had officially begun and now that it had there was no stopping it so she might as well just go along with it.  

And, just as Alexis suspected there in the kitchen was the source of the noise, a younger, shorter version of herself dressed in jeans and a tank top.  Her dark hair was pulled back into a messy bun and she hummed to herself as she milled around the kitchen and pretended to be completely oblivious to the person now glowering at her backside.

“You are way too cheery this early in the morning.” Alexis growled as she stumbled to the counter.

The younger girl turned, shook her head at her sister’s grumpy demeanor and fought the urge to laugh at what she saw.  Alexis’s hair was a knotted mess, one strap of her tank top had fallen off her shoulder and her pants were twisted in such a way that could not have been comfortable.  It was definitely safe to say that she was NOT a morning person.

“No, I am just caffeinated.” 

“Is that what they are calling it?” Alexis smirked.  

This back and forth banter between Alexis and her younger sister wasn’t out of the ordinary.  Despite the four year difference in age the two girls were very close, they always had been and now that Alexis’s career was starting to take root it was that bit of normalcy that she clung to.  Michelle was her sanity.  She was the one person that Alexis could confide in completely, and probably the one person that knew her better than she knew herself.  

Michelle grinned then casually took a sip from the plastic cup sitting on the counter and waited patiently for her sister’s reaction.

Alexis’s eyes opened wide.  “You went OUT for coffee? It’s 7 in the morning and you’ve already left the apartment and come back!”

“It’s called motivation…you should try it some time.”

Alexis could only shake her head in disbelief.  “I am sorry but there is NO coffee in the world that is going to motivate me to get out of bed and leave the house before 7 am.  I don’t care where it came from.”

To this Michelle smiled devilishly and turned towards the fridge.  She didn’t say a word as she opened the Refrigerator door and retrieved another plastic cup, this one much bigger than her own.  Michelle knew how her sister would react once she turned around, in fact she could almost hear her sister’s voice already and she found herself fighting the urge to bust out laughing.  

“Oooh, what’s this?  Well, would you look at that another cup of coffee.  I wonder where it came from?  Oh , that’s right…I bought it…for you…but…since you don’t want it…”

“Would you just give me the cup already?” Alexis huffed. 

Giggling Michelle handed over the cup and then returned to what she’d been doing as if the conversation had never even happened.  She knew that this would irritate Alexis to no end but she also knew that Alexis would get over it. 

“So, what’s on your oh so busy schedule today?” 

Alexis took a sip of her drink as she contemplated the question.  Six months ago the answer to that question would have been very simple.  Matter of fact, six months ago that wouldn’t have even been the question but things were much different now.  Now she had a recording contract and a single that was going to hit the airwaves in a matter of days.  Now there were interviews and photo shoots and rehearsals.  It was almost too much but she would be lying if she said she didn’t love every minute of it.  This was what she’d been working towards and dreaming of her entire life.  It was scary, exhausting, exciting and frustrating all at once and it was all hers.

“Umm…I have a meeting with Andrew this morning and then I am in the recording studio the rest of the day.”

Andrew Thomas was Alexis’s manager; actually, he was Danielle’s manager.  Only her family and a few close friends called her by her first name anymore.  As far as her label and her career were concerned, she went by her middle name, Danielle.  A decision she’d made intentionally.  It was a decision she’d made to protect her family, but more importantly it was one she’d made to protect herself…for several reasons.

“Ah yes, and what is this meeting about?”

If there was one thing you could say about Michelle Moretti it was that she was obsessed with details.  Alexis preferred to call it OCD but to Michelle it was more than that.  She craved information, especially when that information was from the world of Entertainment.  She was a Journalism major and it was her lifelong ambition to work for an Entertainment or Fashion magazine after graduation.  Alexis was her insider, her own personal spy into the madness that was the Music industry so she took any opportunity she was given to learn as much as she could.  

“I don’t know.  I think he said it had to do with Security and a new producer for the album.” 

“Ooh! Security.  Does that mean you are getting a Bodyguard?” 

Alexis just rolled her eyes.  Sometimes she wondered who was more excited, her or Michelle.  However, it was nice to be able to share the excitement with someone.  She could not say the same for every member of her family.

Shaking the thought from her mind Alexis turned to her sister and smiled.  “Apparently, although I have no idea why I even need one right now.” 

This time it was Michelle’s turn to roll her eyes.  “Give it a month maybe two and then I guarantee you’ll be needing one.”

“You think so?” Alexis smirked.

“I know so! You don’t need to be modest with me, we both know how good you are and pretty soon so will everyone else.  And when that happens you’ll be glad you have a bodyguard.”

Alexis had been working towards this for a very long time.  Her mother said she’d been a performer even before she was born.  While still in the womb her mother would play the Beatles and the Jackson 5 and would swear that Alexis could kick along to the beat.  When she was a little girl, around 5 or 6 years old she started putting on full concerts complete with costume changes and props in her bedroom with her stuffed animals and dolls serving as her audience.  By the time she was in Middle school she was not only in the school choir but also took dance classes four times a week for two hours after school.  In High School she was a member of the dance team, show choir and she met with a private vocal coach twice a week.  In short, her entire life she’d been performing.  She sang in the shower, danced in the aisles at the grocery store and on more than one occasion been pulled over for reckless driving because she’d gotten too distracted while singing along to a song on her car radio.  She ate, slept and breathed for her music and it was finally starting to pay off.  However, her work was far from over.  Her very first single was scheduled for release in just a few days.  She would be starting rehearsals for a music video at the end of the week.  She had a meeting with her manager that afternoon and from there she’d be going non-stop to promote her single and finish the album.  It was a lot to think about but Alexis was more than willing to take on a challenge. 

“Thanks for the vote of confidence but I am not going to get my hopes up too high until after the album is released.” Alexis replied.  

“Alright, I will just have to get my hopes up for the both of us.  Now go on and get ready or you will be late.” Michelle shot back.

“I’m going.” Alexis replied with a wave of her hand.

7:30 a.m. Alexis needed to be sitting in her Manager’s office at 9:00 a.m. on the dot.  That only gave her an hour and a half to shower, get dressed and make it to the office.  It was time to get moving.  With her coffee in hand Alexis started down the hallway towards her bedroom.  First on the agenda was a shower.  Her hair was a mess and there was no way she would be able to do anything with it until she had washed it.  Once out of the shower it didn’t take long for Alexis to finish getting ready.  She quickly towel-dried her long dark hair and then shimmied into her favorite pair of low rise jeans with a hole in the left knee and a simple, dark purple skinny T-shirt.  For shoes she chose a pair of black flip-flops and then after giving her appearance the once over she headed for the door.

“That was fast.” Michelle commented as Alexis stepped into the kitchen.  

“Yeah, well, it doesn’t take me long.” Alexis replied.

“Since when?” Michelle smirked.

“Since always, but then I think you are confusing me with someone else we know.” Alexis shot back.

The person Alexis was referring to was her twin sister; April and although the two girls shared the same birthday and many of the same physical attributes they were as different as two sisters could be.  

Michelle flashed a sly smile. “Now why would I ever want to do a thing like that?” 

“I don’t know, maybe you get some sort of sick pleasure from driving me batty!”

Michelle giggled. “Never.”

Alexis just shook her head.  “Whatever! I am going to go now.  I will see you later.”

“Bye.”  Michelle replied.

And with that Alexis was out the door and heading towards her car.  

At precisely 8:59 a.m. Alexis was sitting in her manager’s office patiently waiting for him to make his entrance.

Andrew Thomas had been Alexis’s manager since the very beginning.  In fact, discovering Alexis had happened purely by accident.  Andrew was serving on the judge’s panel of a statewide choir competition as a favor to an old friend, and there she was.  Front and center of the second to the last choir performing that evening.  Her voice and stage presence blew him away and at that moment he knew he had to represent her.

From there Andrew spent countless weeks trying to convince Alexis to sign a contract with him.  So, Andrew waited…patiently.  Finally, after nearly 3 months of negotiations and just one week after Alexis’s 21st birthday a contract was signed.  Since then, a little over five years had passed and in that time Andrew and Alexis had established a very close working relationship with one another.  In that time, she’d learned he was meticulous about details, always said what he meant and was a stickler for time.  So, if he said 9:00 you better be early because he would start at 9:00 regardless of if you were there on time or not.

Secretly, she loved that he was a no-nonsense guy but she didn’t dare let him know that because it was just too much fun to watch him get riled up.

At 9:00 a.m. on the dot Andrew Thomas strolled into his office a stack of files in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other.  He was the epitome of a business man; dark grey dress pants, grey patent leather dress shoes, crisp white dress shirt and powder blue tie.  His dark hair was speckled with tiny flecks of grey and his lips were curved up in a polite smile.  

“Thank you for being on time.” Andrew stated.

“Would you have waited if I wasn’t” Alexis giggled.

“No.” Andrew replied.

“I didn’t think so.”  

“Good.  I am glad we are on the same page. Now what do you say we get to it?” 

“Isn’t that why I am here?” Alexis asked with a grin.

“Yes.” Andrew answered.

“Okay then.”  

Andrew just smiled and shook his head.  He knew she was baiting him but he’d learned to ignore it or they would never get anything accomplished.

“The first thing I would like to discuss is your security.” 

“Well, that’s very thoughtful of you but I assure you I feel very secure.”

Andrew rolled his eyes in mock disgust. “I was talking about a bodyguard.  I think it’s time you had one.” 

“Ok, but why now?” 

“Why? Because this person is going to be with you at all times and I would like you to have the opportunity to get to know each other before the chaos begins.” 

“Ok.” Alexis nodded.

The idea of having a permanent shadow was a little intimidating but Andrew’s logic made perfect sense.

“So when do I meet this person?” Alexis asked.

“Today. I have arranged for him to meet us for lunch at 1:00.”

“Didn’t waste any time, did you?” Alexis smirked.

“Nope. I never do.  You of all people should know that by now.”

Alexis simply smiled and nodded.  “Alright then, what else?” 

“The label has found a new producer they’d like you to work with on the album.” Andrew replied.

  Truth be told, there was another producer that Alexis had been working with but he ended up leaving the project due to scheduling conflicts.

Alexis’s eyes lit up.  She was excited about the prospect of working with a new producer.  A fresh perspective on the album was just what she needed.

“Who is it?” Alexis asked.

“Well…we’d be working on his schedule…he’s a busy man, but, I think he is PERFECT for your album.”

“Who is it?” Alexis insisted.

“JC Chasez.” Andrew answered.

As soon as the name left his lips the smile disappeared from her face. 

“NO!” Alexis snapped.

It was not the reaction Andrew expected.

“No?!”

“Hell NO!” Alexis shot back.

“May I ask why?” Andrew replied.

“You may, but that doesn’t mean I am going to answer.”

Andrew sighed.  “It’s really not a negotiable at this point.”

“Then make it one.  I’m NOT working with him!”

Andrew sat back in his chair and ran a hand through his hair in frustration.

“What’s your beef with JC Chasez? Let me guess, not an *NSYNC fan?”

Alexis smirked.  “You wish it were that simple.”

“Then simplify it for me.”

Alexis changed the subject.  “Lunch at 1, is that what you said?”

Andrew nodded. 

“Where?”

Andrew grinned. “El Sombrero.”

It was her favorite restaurant, so Andrew knew she wouldn’t argue.

“Fine.” Alexis huffed standing from her chair.

“We’re not done discussing this.” Andrew said as she started to walk away.

“Oh, yes, we are!” Alexis snapped back before leaving the room.

As soon as Alexis left Andrew’s office she let out a very long, frustrated sigh. The time read 10:30 which meant she had two hours before she needed to leave and meet Andrew and her new bodyguard for lunch.

Normally, Alexis would have been ecstatic to have that much time but today she just wasn’t feeling it.  So, instead she opted for some fresh air and a cup of coffee.

After ordering and paying for her iced peppermint white mocha she found an empty table outside and sat down to relax and clear her head.  At the moment she was feeling so many things that her emotions and her brain were on overload.  She was nervous about meeting her bodyguard, excited about the album and irritated by her reaction to just the mention of HIS name.  And, to top it all off the release of her first single was just a few days away so she was anxious as well.

She wanted to call someone and vent about how she felt but she couldn’t.  Her parents, specifically her mother just didn’t get it.  She didn’t have a best friend anymore and the sister she was on speaking terms with was in class.

“Damn you!” Alexis cursed under breath.

Truth be told, deep down she’d always known she’d have to face those parts of her past she just hadn’t expected it to be like this.

Slowly, she took a sip from her now melting drink and turned her attention to the notebook sitting open in front of her.

Feeding off her anger and frustration Alexis grabbed a pen from her purse and began to write.  Whether it appeared on the album or not this song was meant to be written.  This song said everything she’d wanted to say for the past eight years. When Alexis took a moment to stop and look at what she’d written she was amazed at what she saw.  The page in front of her was full.  It was almost as if the song had written itself.  Then again, the words that were now on the page had been inside her all along.  The lyrics were raw and angry and heartbreaking but they were exactly how she felt.  And now that they were out there, she wasn’t about to take them back.  Smiling a bit with satisfaction Alexis closed the notebook, returned the pen to her purse and stood from her chair. 

Two hours had gone by quickly and now Alexis had just enough time to walk back to her car before she needed to head to the restaurant where she would meet up with Andrew and her bodyguard.  She wasn’t worried though.  Alexis knew she would make it to the restaurant with little trouble at all.  In fact, it was quite possible that Alexis could find the quaint little Mexican restaurant in her sleep.  The restaurant was called El Sombrero and although it had only been open a little over a year Alexis had eaten there more times than she could count.  In fact, it was Alexis and Michelle’s favorite restaurant in all of LA and they ordered take out from there almost weekly.

Smiling, Alexis waved to the Maitre’d when she entered.  Everyone on the staff knew her and her sister.

“Good afternoon Alexis! Would you like your regular table today?” The maitre’d  asked.

“Oh no, thank you Freddy. Not today.  I’m meeting someone.” Alexis replied.

“Ooh, a hot date!” Charlie answered.

Alexis laughed, and then shook her head.  “Don’t I wish! No, not a hot date.  I’m meeting my manager and my new bodyguard here.”

“A bodyguard, huh? Moving to the big leagues already, are we?” 

“Not quite yet.  My single isn’t even out yet but my manager likes to be prepared.” 

“Smart man!”

Alexis giggled.  “I’m glad you think so.  Now may I have a table for three?” 

“Absolutely!  Right this way.” Freddy replied motioning for her to follow.

“Is this ok?” Freddy asked.

Alexis smiled and nodded.  “Perfect!” 

Fortunately, Alexis wasn’t left to dwell for very long.  She’d barely sat down when she spotted Andrew and the man she could only assume was her bodyguard.

Quickly, she stood from her seat, plastered a smile on her face and waved the two men over to the table.  And, as they approached Alexis took the opportunity to get a good look at the man that was going to be her personal shadow from this point forward.

He was tall, very tall.  In fact, she was certain he dwarfed her by at least a foot.  Just by looking at him Alexis guessed that he was probably about 6’6. He was African American, probably in his mid 30’s.  He had broad shoulders, a large, solid frame a bald head and a warm, friendly smile.  Actually, it was more of a cheesy grin than a smile and she loved it immediately.

“There you are.” Andrew said as the two gentlemen reached the table.

“What? Did you think I would get lost?” Alexis smirked.

“Not hardly!” Andrew chuckled.  Then in true Andrew fashion he flipped into business mode and started right in with the introductions.  “Danielle, this is Kenny Smith.  Kenny this is Danielle Moretti.”

Kenny smiled and stretched out his hand to take hers.  “Nice to meet you.” 

His voice was deep with just a hint of a southern drawl, and the cheesy grin was still very much present.

Alexis smiled politely.  “Nice to meet you too. Please sit down.” 

The two men obliged and sat down in the booth, Andrew next to her and Kenny across from her.

“Thanks for inviting me to meet you here.  I’ve always wanted to come here.” Kenny said.

“Yeah me too but I could never get someone to bring me here.” Andrew teased.

He knew he’d get a reaction out of Alexis.  In fact, he hoped for it.  He wanted her to relax a little.  He knew the amount of stress she was under and at the moment she seemed more on edge than normal.  And sure enough, she responded in true Alexis form.

“You are a grown man Andrew and therefore perfectly capable of getting yourself places.  You do not need a special invitation or permission from me to come here!” Alexis shot back.

Andrew smiled and nodded. “I know that but it doesn’t change the fact that it would have been nice to be invited.”

To this Alexis just rolled her eyes and dismissed his comment with a wave of her hand.  She knew what Andrew was doing and it was working.

Kenny chuckled.  “You’ve got spunk girl! I like that.”

Alexis nodded and smiled.  “Well, I’m glad because from what I hear you are stuck with me for awhile.” 

Kenny grinned.  He’d only known this girl for a few minutes and already he liked her immensely.

“And from what I hear I wouldn’t consider myself stuck.” Kenny shot back.

Alexis laughed a little.  “So Andrew’s already filled you in?” 

“He’s told me a bit.” Kenny answered smiling.

“Good, then I don’t need to tell you my whole life story.”

“Nope, not today.” Kenny answered.

“Then I say let’s order some food and you can tell me yours while we eat.” Alexis said smiling devilishly. 

This made both Andrew and Kenny laugh.  Just as Andrew had predicted meeting at her favorite restaurant definitely seemed to relax Alexis a bit more.

A moment later the waiter arrived to take their order, and for the next hour or so they talked between bites of food.

Andrew explained a bit more about Kenny’s job description and his expectations for both Kenny and Alexis.  At the present time it all seemed a bit un-necessary but at the same time Alexis understood that it was all preparation for what was to come and it was better to be prepared than to be caught off guard.  Then, once the business was out of the way Kenny took the opportunity to share a bit more about himself with Alexis.  And, in that short period of time Alexis learned that Kenny was born and raised in Mississippi.  He was the oldest of three children; his younger siblings were both girls.  His mother was a seamstress and his father an architect.  He’d graduated from college but had opted to pursue a career playing professional football.  Unfortunately, his dreams had been smashed when a knee injury during training camp ended his career.  However, the thing that impressed Alexis the most about Kenny was his optimism and his refusal to accept the easy way out.  As he explained it, rather than just give up after his injury he decided to find a different dream.  So, he went back to school and earned his Master’s Degree in criminal justice.

“So why be a Body Guard?” Alexis asked curiously.

Kenny smiled.  “I’m not a fan of the office atmosphere, and I hate paperwork.  Besides, being a bodyguard sounds like more fun and there is always the slim possibility I might get to knock someone out every once in a while.”

Alexis laughed. “Good answer.” 

“Thanks. I thought so too.”

“Well, I can see you two are going to have little trouble getting along.  That’s a relief.” Andrew added.

Alexis raised an eyebrow. “You had doubts?” 

Andrew grinned. “Well, no, but I learned very early that with you anything is possible.”

“Good! If you ask me predictability is boring and I did NOT sign up for boring.” Kenny chimed in.

Alexis smiled. “Oh, trust me, I am anything but boring!”

Andrew chuckled. “That’s an understatement if I ever heard one.”

“Well, you won’t hear me complaining.  As I said, I can’t stand boring.” 

Alexis smiled. “Then we should be golden.” 

“That’s what I like to hear!” Andrew chimed in happily.

The rest of the lunch meeting was relatively uneventful.  Andrew went over the schedule for the next few weeks, which Alexis already knew.  She was going to be busy to say the very least.  Then the conversation shifted to family.  Family was a difficult subject for Alexis.  In fact, she avoided it whenever possible but she’d only just met Kenny so she wasn’t about to be rude no matter how uncomfortable it might be.

Alexis listened attentively as Kenny talked with pride about his mother, father and two younger sisters.  He spoke animatedly about watching the older of his two sisters get married and teaching his youngest sister to drive.  It was obvious that he was very close to his family and Alexis was just a tiny bit jealous.  There had been a time when she and her two sisters were that close but that time had long since passed.

“What about you, any siblings?” Kenny asked.

Alexis took a deep, silent breath and forced herself to smile.  She’d known since the meeting that morning that just the mention of HIM was going to ruin her day.

“Yes, I have a younger sister; Michelle and then I have a twin sister; April.”

“Are you close?” Kenny asked.

It was an innocent question, and one she’d been asked several times since starting her career but answering it never got any easier.

“Yes and no.  My sister, Michelle and I are close.  In fact, she and I are roommates but my twin sister; April and I, not so much anymore.”

Kenny shook his head.  “That’s a shame.  I’ve always thought that having a twin would be such a gift.”

Or a curse, Alexis thought to herself.

Andrew watched and listened carefully as the conversation unfolded in front of him.  He’d met Alexis’s family many times but April he’d only met once and just that one time was enough to let him know that there was definitely a rift between the two girls.  Shortly after that one and only meeting April packed up and moved to New York and he’d heard little mention of her from Alexis since then.

“Let’s just say we have our differences and leave it at that.” Alexis answered.

It was plainly obvious to both men that Alexis was eager to change the subject and the sooner the better.  So, rather than spoil a perfectly pleasant first meeting Kenny took the hint and steered the conversation in a different direction.

Alexis smiled and made a mental note to someday thank Kenny for not pursuing the topic further.  However, Alexis didn’t feel true relief until the lunch meeting was over and she was able to leave the restaurant.  

Now she had two options.  She could go back to the studio, which had been the initial plan or she could go home.  But go home and do what?  Chances were that at this time of the day her sister would either be in class or at work and therefore she would be home alone with her thoughts.  And, at the moment that was exactly what she didn’t want.  No, going home wasn’t an option so instead Alexis put her car into drive and headed towards the studio.

Once inside the building Alexis wasted little time making her way down to the recording studios.  Smiling happily Alexis slipped into one of the booths and plopped herself down in front of the baby grand piano stationed there.  This was home to her.  This and the hardwood of the dance floor were where she felt most comfortable.  Here she could express herself in a way she’d never been able to simply with words.

Closing her eyes, she plucked the keys a bit as she allowed the melody that been ringing in her ears all morning to fill the room.  As she played her body relaxed and so did she.  It was the most delicious feeling she’d felt all day.  And when she opened her green eyes again there were a pair of brown ones staring back at her through the glass.  Her voice caught in her throat, she shook her head and blinked but those eyes were still there only now there was a smile that went with them.  The eyes and the smile belonged to a man by the name of Bobby Z. He was a sound engineer, one that Alexis had worked with many times and liked well enough.  She just hadn’t expected to see him staring at her.  It was a bit un-nerving.

“Sorry.  I didn’t mean to interrupt your little moment.  I just couldn’t help myself.  That was well…in a word…haunting.  Do you have lyrics for it?” Bobby asked.

Alexis nodded.  She hadn’t really intended to record this song.  It had been written more for her own benefit.  It was her therapy without the cost of paying an actual therapist.  But now that the opportunity was right in front of her, she couldn’t bring herself to say no.

Bobby Z grinned.  From the moment the melody hit his ears he knew he was hearing true art.  He hadn’t even heard the lyrics yet and already he was excited.

“Did you want to lay a track for it?” 

“Sure.” Alexis replied. 

“Ok, whenever you are ready.”

Alexis nodded then bent down slowly to retrieve the pages from her purse.  She didn’t know whether she should laugh or cry.  Just thinking about the song and her motivation for writing it made her want to scream.  Then again, the thought that others might actually hear this song made her want to burst out laughing.  She could almost see the expression on a few people’s faces if they actually figured out what the song was about.  She had a feeling there were a couple of people who would have more than a few choice words for her but she had a few things she wanted to say as well.  That was the whole point of the song.

For the second time that day there was a satisfied smile on Alexis’s face.

“I’m ready.” She said.

Bobby nodded then made a few adjustments on the soundboard and stood back.  The sound that greeted him was not at all what he’d expected.  This song was unlike any other he’d ever heard from her.  This song was unlike anything he’d heard period.  It was almost as if there was a completely different person in front of him.  The Danielle he knew was strong, confident, bold and opinionated and her music reflected that.  Her no bullshit, I don’t care what other people think attitude was what he liked about her.  This wasn’t that girl.  The girl in front of him was vulnerable, heartbroken and angry.  You could hear it in her voice as well as see it in her eyes.  And, if the melody was haunting then the lyrics were bone chilling.  He got goose bumps just standing there and the room temperature had nothing to do with it.

When she finished it took a few moments for Bobby to react.  He was completely taken aback by this new side of her.  The tone of her voice even sounded different.  Her voice had always dwarfed her body in size but this went beyond that.  It just didn’t seem humanly possible that a voice with that much power and raw emotion could from anyone, even her.

Alexis looked through the glass and was surprised to see Bobby standing as if he had been cemented to the floor.

“Was that ok?” Alexis asked cautiously.

She couldn’t tell whether he liked it or not and that scared her just a little.  Normally, he was pretty quick to give her feedback one way or the other and so far, he hadn’t so much as blinked at her.

Bobby swallowed hard then reached over and flipped the switch so he could speak.

“Was that ok? Girl, that was beyond ok.  That was epic! Has anyone else heard that song?” 

Alexis shook her head.  “No, I just wrote it this morning.”

Bobby choked then coughed a bit until he could catch his breath again.  Writing a song, even a mediocre one took time.  There was writing the lyrics, arranging the music to accompany the lyrics, then there was editing and re-editing and recording.  It could take months to write a song but she’d somehow managed to come up with a song in less than a day.  It just wasn’t possible.

“This morning?” 

Alexis smiled shyly then nodded.

“Well damn girl, you’ve been holding out!  You should have busted that out a long time ago! That is a hit if I ever heard one for sure.”

Alexis wasn’t convinced.  This song held a lot of emotional baggage but at the same time she was proud of herself for finally writing it. Having someone else like it was the added bonus.  The idea of it being album worthy was still something she was struggling with.

“You think so?” Alexis replied.

“Oh honey, I know so! Don’t get me wrong, I love the album and I think you made the right choice for your first single but this song NEEDS to be your second single.”

This time it was Alexis who visibly choked.  The idea of the song being on the album was something she’d considered, it was even something that given time she could be ok with.  The idea of the song being a single, her second single to be exact was just unbelievable.  An artist’s first single was the appetizer, an introduction as it were.  The second single was the main course, the make it or break it of the meal.  If people liked the main course, then the stayed for the dessert…the album.  And if not, then they didn’t pay for the meal.  Essentially, what it meant is that your career was dead in the water before it even got started.

“You’re serious?” Alexis asked. 

She already knew the answer but hearing him say it made it just a little bit easier to swallow.

“Of course, I am.  It’s an amazing song, it needs to be on the album and it needs to be a single.”

Alexis slowly shook her head.  “You say that, but you’re the only one that’s heard it.  What if Andrew or the label executives hear it and they don’t agree with you?’

Now she was panicking.  She doubted herself; something she hadn’t done in a long time and all because of one song and the message behind it.

“Trust me on this one Danielle.  All they have to do is hear the song and I guarantee they will agree with me.”

Michelle Moretti was 23 years old.  The youngest of the three Moretti sisters, but she certainly didn’t act the part. She was mature beyond her years, but then when you had two older sisters you constantly chased after as a child it was hard not to be.  She had the same long, dark hair, the same emerald green eyes, the same flirty smile and the same fierce determination and passion for her craft.  She was a journalist, or at least an aspiring one and like any journalist she was obsessed with details.  And she was meticulously organized, to the point of driving her older sister and roommate; Alexis insane.  She made a “To Do” list for everything and made sure that every item in the house was in its rightful spot.  The condo she and Alexis shared was always immaculate and when it wasn’t...well, it never wasn’t because Michelle refused to let it get that way.  Today, for example, in the two hours she’d been home from class Michelle had done a load of laundry, vacuumed, and dusted as well as cleaned out the refrigerator.  Now she was sitting on the couch, watching television as she wrote an outline of her notes from class that day and waited patiently for Alexis to come home.

 

It was the routine they had fallen into that whenever Alexis would come home from a day at the studio the two of them would sit on the couch together and Alexis would tell Michelle everything about her day.  For Alexis it was the opportunity to share all her thoughts and feelings about what was happening with someone.  For Michelle it was like having her own personal informant into the world of music, and she loved every minute of it.  She relished every single scrap of information she could get because in the end, it was exactly where she wanted to be. 

 

April’s dream was to be an accomplished clothing designer.  Alexis’s dream was to be a successful musician.  Michelle wanted to be a magazine journalist.  More specifically, she wanted to work for an entertainment or fashion magazine.  Unfortunately, because she was still in school that wasn’t happening any time soon so she had to live vicariously through her sisters.

 

And there it was, the sound of sweet escape ringing in her ears as she listened to Alexis fiddle with her keys in the door.

 

Alexis was still playing the events of the day over in her head and therefore was completely oblivious to her sister’s current location.  Mumbling to herself Alexis tossed her purse onto the couch then jumped in surprise when it shouted back at her.

 

“Excuse me?” Michelle yelped.  “That doesn't belong on the couch and certainly not on my head.”

 

Alexis giggled a bit and then started to apologize.  “I’m sorry.  I was a bit preoccupied.  I didn’t see you sitting there.”

 

Michelle gave her sister a hard look then proceeded to put her purse on the coffee table.

 

“Likely story.  What’s up?”

 

Alexis rolled her eyes and made a feeble attempt to change the subject.  “Nothing worth mentioning.”

 

That wasn’t an Alexis response at all.  Normally she would make some remark about Michelle’s freakish need to be clean and organized at all times.  At the very least they would banter back and forth for awhile.  Alexis had given up way too easily which meant something was up.  Michelle knew her sister well enough to figure that much out.  She’d also known her sister long enough to know that Alexis wasn’t just going to give up what was bothering her.  If Michelle wanted to know she was going to have to dig a little.

 

“I know you! Something is up.  So…as I see it, you have two choices.  You can tell me about it and get off your chest or you can pout about it some more and make yourself miserable.”

 

Alexis groaned and flopped onto the couch beside her sister.  She hated that Michelle was right. 

 

“The label found a new producer for the album.” Alexis huffed.

 

Michelle nodded and smiled.  “That’s great!”

 

Alexis shook her head. 

 

There was something Alexis wasn’t telling her.

 

“Who is it?” Michelle asked curiously.

 

Alexis sighed.  She knew the moment the name left her lips that things were going to get interesting.

 

“It’s Josh.” Alexis grumbled.

 

“Josh?” Michelle repeated.

 

Alexis made a face.  “Josh! JC! Mr. Chasez! The Asshole formerly known as my best friend!”

 

Michelle’s jaw dropped.  “Oh.”

 

Alexis’s eyes narrowed.  “Oh?! That’s all you can say is, “oh!”

 

“What did you want me to say? You’re the one that has a problem with him, not me.”

 

Alexis shot her sister a look.  There was a fire in Alexis’s eyes that Michelle had not seen in a very long time. 

“No! No, I was never the one with the problem! He was!” Alexis shot back.

Michelle nodded.  She was only 14 then but she remembered that day as vividly as she suspected both of her older sisters did.  She remembered watching him drive away and the screaming that followed.  She remembered watching as her two sisters went to war with each other and then silence.  For months her two older sisters couldn’t even be in the same room with each other much less speak to one another. 

She remembered all of it.

“So, you met with Andrew today about the new producer and you met your bodyguard.  That doesn’t seem like very much.”

 

Normally, Alexis gushed about her day but this conversation was like pulling teeth.  Michelle understood that Alexis was probably still mulling over the whole thing with JC but this was taking it a bit too far.

“I did some work in the recording studio, but aside from that there isn’t very much to do.  My first single comes out next week and I start shooting for the video the week after that.  And, I have a photo shoot for the album coming up but this week there really isn’t much going on.”

She didn’t dare tell Michelle about the song she’d just written or that Bobby thought it should be her next single.  If she did then she would have to explain where the inspiration for the song had come from and she just wasn’t ready to answer that question yet.

Michelle knew her sister all too well.  Alexis was being very vague and uninterested.  That meant she was avoiding something but rather than let on that she knew any different Michelle decided to just play along.  

“Ok, so you aren’t doing very much this week, then why the need for the permanent shadow?” 

“Andrew wants us to get used to being around each other all the time before things get crazy.”

Michelle nodded. “Gotcha.”

The next morning Alexis awoke with a start.  The sound of her alarm rang in her ears and she groaned.  Alexis had never been much of a morning person but once she was out of bed and moving she usually did ok.  Tossing the covers aside Alexis got out of bed and headed for the shower.  It was a quick shower simply because she didn’t need to wash her hair. Once she was out of the shower Alexis shimmied into a pair of very old jeans.  They had once belonged to her mother and they were very worn.  The denim was dark but had faded quite a bit over the years.  There were several small holes in the legs and one larger one above her left knee.  The legs were flared a bit and there were tiny daisies stitched all the way up the legs along the outside seam.  In other words, they were vintage and she loved them.  After buttoning up the jeans and putting on a bra Alexis pulled a plain, black tank top over her head and headed for the door.

Alexis was halfway down the hall when she heard a knock on the door.

“I got it.” Michelle hollered.

Of course, Michelle was awake.  There wasn’t a day Alexis could remember that Michelle wasn’t up at dawn.  It was as if her internal alarm was set to go off as soon as the sun came up.  It made Alexis nauseous.  

Michelle opened the door and there in the doorway was the biggest man she’d ever seen.  He was huge!  He was dressed in jeans, a blue Sean John T-shirt and he was wearing sunglasses.  Over his shoulder was a small, grey backpack and on his face was a very cheesy grin.

“You must be Michelle, nice to meet you.”

The very large man stuck out his hand and Michelle was hesitant to take it at first.  Ultimately, it was the cheesy grin that did her in.

“Yup. That’s me.  And you would be?” 

Kenny’s grin grew.  If that was possible.

“I’m Kenny, your sister’s bodyguard.”

Michelle nodded.  It made sense.  Alexis had mentioned Kenny but nothing could have prepared her for the man now standing in front of her.

“Right.  She told me that.”

Kenny chuckled.  She still had that deer caught in the headlights look and she was still standing in the doorway, blocking him from entering.  

“Yeah, I know, I look big and scary but I can promise you, I’m really a big teddy bear.”

Michelle giggled nervously.  “Sure you are.” 

And just then Alexis appeared.  She’d heard the entire conversation from the hallway and it surprised her to see her sister so flustered.

“Michelle, he’s not going to sit on you unless you do something to deserve it.  Please let him in.”

Michelle opened her mouth then shut it again and stepped aside.  She didn’t know how to respond to that so she kept her mouth shut.

“You’ll have to excuse my sister she seems to have misplaced her manners this morning.” 

Kenny nodded.  “No worries.  I don’t get offended easily.”

Alexis smiled. “Good.  So, are we ready?” 

“Whenever you are.”

“I’m ready. I just need to grab my keys and my purse.”  

Alexis grabbed the items mentioned as she spoke then quickly slipped on a pair of flip flops and they were out the door.

“Are you driving or am I?” Alexis asked.

Kenny looked at her curiously.  He was trying to figure out what kind of car person she was but for once he couldn’t tell.  Typically, he could guess what kind of car a person drove just by looking at them, it was one of his many hidden talents but with her he had no idea and that surprised him.

“That depends, what do you drive?” 

“A dark blue Volkswagen Beetle.” 

Kenny snorted.  “Yeah, I think you just answered your own question.” 

Alexis wasn’t following.  Kenny looked down at her and had to chuckle at her expression.  She looked completely lost.

“Do I look like I would fit in a Volkswagen Beetle?” 

Realization hit Alexis and she blushed.  

“Oh! Yeah, probably not.”

“So, we’ll be taking my car.”

Alexis giggled. “Works for me.”

A few minutes later Alexis was seated in the passenger seat of Kenny’s black S.U.V and they were headed down the road towards Andrew’s office.

It was about a twenty minute drive from Alexis’s condo to Andrew’s office, forty-five minutes if traffic was really bad and during that short drive Kenny made it his mission to get to know Alexis a bit more.

“So, that was Michelle?” 

Alexis smiled.  “Yes, that was her.  She’s a bit much to handle sometimes but she has a big heart.”

Kenny nodded but kept his eyes on the road.  Her tone when talking about Michelle was much different than the day before when they had been discussing April.  It amazed him that anyone could hold such animosity towards another person, especially someone in their own family but she obviously did.

“Yeah, I can see that.” Kenny replied.

He was more than curious about April but since they’d known each other for such a short time he thought it better to wait awhile before broaching that topic.  Instead, he chose a more professional topic of discussion.

Andrew Thomas sat quietly in his office listening attentively to the voice that blared from the stereo speakers.  The voice was powerful but full of emotion.  The words were haunting and filled with anger and sadness.  It surprised him because in all the years he’d worked with Danielle he had never heard anything like this from her.  It was almost as if this song had come from a completely different person but it was definitely her voice.  It made him wonder where this song had come from, and why now?

No matter the reason Bobby Z. had been right.  This song definitely was album worthy and absolutely needed to be a single.  Truth be told, he hadn’t had the opportunity to share the song with the label just yet but he had every confidence that those who made the decisions would agree as soon as they heard it.

He’d listened to the song at least three times in the past twenty minutes and every time he’d heard it the thing that stuck out in his mind was how genuinely broken and angry she sounded.  It was not the Danielle he knew at all.

The Danielle he knew was happy, determined, full of life and opinionated as hell.  This was not that girl.  So, then who was she?

She was standing in the doorway.

Quickly, he pushed a button silencing the music, plastered a smile on his face and ushered both Kenny and Danielle into the room.

Kenny settled himself on a couch at the edge of the room while Alexis took her favorite chair just off to the side of Andrew’s desk.  Andrew was always very professional, by the book, so it surprised Alexis a little when he stood up, walked around his desk and positioned himself on the corner of the desk directly in front of her.  Then again, she also hadn’t expected to find him blaring her song from the previous day on his stereo when she walked in.

“That’s some song.” Andrew said simply.

Alexis managed a weak smile and nodded.  “Thank you.” 

Her reaction was a bit more subdued than he’d anticipated but for the moment he was going to chalk it up to just nerves.  If they were going to get it on the album then they needed to get to work quickly.  And, in his opinion this song not making it on the album just wasn’t an option.

“I’ve spoken with Bobby Z. and I have to say I disagree with him.  This song not only needs to be on the album but it needs to be your first single, not your second.”

Alexis swallowed hard.  Part of her wanted the song to make the album, just to make a point and the other part wanted to take it all back.  She couldn’t imagine the reaction she’d get once people heard it, especially two people in particular.

“Ok.” Alexis agreed.

Andrew was confused.  “Ok?  I thought you would be thrilled.”

Alexis felt many things at that moment but “thrilled” was not one of them.  In fact, the mix of emotions she was feeling right then was beginning to make her nauseous.

“Oh no, don’t get me wrong I am proud of the song and I trust your judgement completely I just didn’t expect the song to cause this much of a commotion.”

That was the biggest bullshit story she’d ever told in her entire life and she knew it.  She’d known perfectly well the instant she’d put pen to paper that this song would cause a “commotion”, just not with this particular audience.

“Well, I am glad you trust my judgement because I am meeting with the label executives later this afternoon to get this song approved for the album.”

Alexis could only nod.  This was really happening and now that it was, she couldn’t stop it.  But then, did she really want to?  Whether she wanted to or not it was out of her hands now.  However, she could at least change the subject.

“Was that all you wanted to see me about?” 

The sudden change in topic did not go unnoticed by Andrew or Kenny but Kenny had chosen to be the silent observer and soak everything in while Andrew was on a deadline and needed to get things moving.  In other words, for now Alexis was allowed off the hook, at least, when it came to this.

“We need to get you in the studio with a producer ASAP!” Andrew answered calmly.

Alexis opened her mouth to speak but Andrew cut her off immediately.

“Look, I know…you don’t want to work with Mr. Chasez, but time is a luxury we just don’t have right now.” Andrew said pointedly.

Alexis opened her mouth to speak again but Andrew continued speaking.

“What is your beef with him anyway?”

Alexis’s eyes went dark.  “I just don’t like him.”

“Why?” Andrew insisted.

Alexis sighed heavily.  “Mr. Chasez and I have history, ok?!”

“History?” Andrew asked raising an eyebrow.

This was the first he was hearing of it, that much was obvious.

“I’d really rather not talk about it.” Alexis huffed.

“Ok. Fine.  I can’t make you talk but that doesn’t change the fact that you’re going to have to work with him so I suggest you deal with whatever issue you have with him, and quickly.  You have studio time scheduled with him tomorrow.”

“What?! NO!” Alexis shouted.

“Yes. At 9:00 a.m.” Andrew replied.

 

Chapter 1-9 pt.2 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

Alexis was fuming at this point.

 

The rest of the meeting beyond that seemed to pass by in a blur.  In fact, now that she and Kenny were both headed back to his car she found herself struggling to remember anything Andrew had said.  It wasn’t like her to zone out, but that was just what she’d done.  The moment Andrew mentioned JC she’d lost all concentration.  Instead, she’d allowed herself to get sucked into the emotions and memories that surrounded her relationship with JC, and she was cursing herself for it.  This was her career, and she took it very seriously so allowing her emotions to get in the way just wasn’t an option.  

 

“Penny for your thoughts.” Kenny said.

“Excuse me?” Alexis replied snapping from her trance.

“I was just wondering what you were thinking about?  You seem like you’ve got something on your mind.”

If only he knew, Alexis thought.  

“Oh no, nothing in particular.  Just thinking about how busy I am about to be.”

Kenny nodded.  She was about to be very busy but Kenny knew there was more to it than that.  He’d seen her reaction, or lack thereof when Andrew mentioned that he wanted her new song on the album.  He’d also noticed the flicker of panic in her eyes when Andrew mentioned the producer.  And there was the song itself.  He’d hadn’t really been able to hear it all the way through but the part he’d heard definitely sounded like the voice of someone who was carrying a lot of pain.  And, to his knowledge, songwriters typically wrote from personal experiences.  Bottom line, this girl had a lot more going on inside her than she let on.

“Yeah, you are about to be really busy, but that’s a good thing, right?” 

Alexis nodded.  “Yes, it’s a good thing.  It just seems like it’s been a long time coming and now that it’s happening, I guess I am feeling a little overwhelmed.”

That was understatement to say the very least.  Between the upcoming photo shoot, video shoot, meeting Kenny, recording the new song, the release of her single and album and worrying about JC her brain had started to go on overload.

“I think that’s natural.” 

Natural or not it was still unbelievably unnerving.  Alexis had always liked being in control of her life and right now it seemed as if she had absolutely no control over anything.  

“What do you say we go get your sister and grab some lunch?” Kenny suggested.

 Alexis stared at Kenny.  Lunch with him and Michelle was definitely not something she’d thought he would suggest.  Nor did she think it was a good idea.  In fact, she typically made it a point to keep her career and personal life as separate as possible.  It was just easier that way and there were certain things about her life people just didn’t need to know.

“I am sure she is at school.” Alexis bluffed.

Truth be told most of Michelle’s classes were in the morning, and because like her sisters she was an over achiever she’d taken classes every summer since she’d graduated high school and therefore only had two classes this semester.  So, the likelihood that she would be home was high.  

“So, call her and find out.”

He was being logical and it was irritating as hell!  Normally she would jump at the chance to have lunch with Michelle but lunch with Kenny and Michelle made her uneasy.  She knew that Michelle would respect her wish to keep certain things private but that didn’t mean she would be rude either.

There were certain things that only a few people knew and she preferred to keep it that way.  Then, of course there was the fact that she’d only known Kenny for a few hours.  In other words, the jury was still out as to how much she could trust him with.

Yes, Andrew trusted him and therefore she should trust him implicitly but then, there were certain things that not even Andrew knew.  

“If she is in class then I don’t want to bother her.”

“So, you leave a message.  If she can meet up with us then she will, if she can’t then she won’t.”

He was being persistent and although she admired that he stuck to his guns at the moment it was not at all convenient for her.  She wasn’t going to win this one and she knew it.  Now she just had to pray that Michelle wouldn’t answer.  

Sighing to herself Alexis pulled her phone from her small purse and hit the speed dial for her sister.  And, as she suspected and feared Michelle picked up on the second ring.

“Hi there.”

“Hi.”

“I wasn’t expecting to hear from you until later, what’s up?”

“Did you want to join Kenny and I for lunch?”

If this was going to happen then she might as well just go with it.

Michelle perked up immediately.  She knew it was just a matter of time before Alexis would be ridiculously busy so she cherished the opportunity to spend some time with her, and getting to know Kenny would definitely be interesting.

“Sure.  Where did you want to meet?”

“Ummm..”

She looked at Kenny and once again he had that goofy grin on his face.  She didn’t know why but that goofy grin was actually kinda cute on him.  It made him seem far less menacing and a bit more teddy bear like.  Maybe this lunch idea wasn’t so bad after all.

“Mexican is always good.” Kenny offered.

Alexis smiled then turned her attention back to her sister.

“El Sombrero?!”

“Sounds good. I will see you there in about thirty minutes.”

“See you then.”

A half hour later Alexis, Kenny and Michelle were seated in the patio area of the restaurant.  

The patio was enclosed but there were large windows all the way around so you still felt like you were sitting outside.  A fountain stood in the center of the room and fake tropical flowers hung from the ceiling and walls. It was nothing fancy by any means but both Alexis and Michelle loved it there.

“What’s good here?” Kenny asked.

The waiter had just left with their drink order and now it was just the three of them again.

Michelle licked her lips and smiled.

“Everything is good here!”

Kenny chuckled and shook his head.  Something told him that he and Michelle were going to get along just fine.

“Well then what would you recommend?” 

Michelle looked down at her menu for a brief moment then looked up again.

“Hmm...the shredded beef taco plate is amazing!  The shrimp fajitas are good too but my favorite is the California burrito.  It has rice, pinto beans, cheese, guacamole, sour cream and a little bit of salsa all wrapped up in a homemade tortilla.”

“No meat?”

“No, but trust me this burrito doesn’t need it.”

“Well, it sounds delicious but I need something I can sink my teeth into.”

Michelle giggled while Alexis rolled her eyes and shook her head.  Kenny and Michelle seemed to be getting along just fine but Alexis wasn’t so sure if that was a good thing or not.  At the very least it would make things interesting.  Like it or not she didn’t really have time to dwell on it right then.  The waiter came to take their order and shortly thereafter they were busy stuffing their faces with food.

“So, Alexis you haven’t said a word, how did it go today?” Michelle asked between bites of food.

“Alexis? Who is Alexis?” Kenny blurted out.

The fact that Alexis used her middle name for her career wasn’t a secret but it also wasn’t something she discussed openly either so Kenny’s confusion made sense.  

“Oops! I’m sorry!”

Alexis just shook her head.  “No, it’s fine.  I thought Andrew would have said something but I guess not.”

“Ok, I am really confused here.  Would someone please explain?” Kenny interrupted.

Alexis closed her eyes briefly and sighed.  She hoped that a simple explanation would suffice but she had the sinking feeling it wouldn’t be that easy.

“Alexis is my first name.  Danielle is my middle name.  Only my family calls me by my first name.”

“Why?” Kenny asked.

Michelle found that she had to stuff a fork full of food into her mouth to keep herself from answering.

“I just like keeping my personal life and my career separate and using my middle name makes it easier to do that.” 

Michelle choked and Alexis shot her a look.

Kenny picked up on both immediately but said nothing.  Instead, he filed this new information away for later and nodded.

“Makes sense.”

Michelle swallowed hard.  Oh yes, Alexis’s explanation made sense but it was also complete bullshit.  Alexis was hiding, plain and simple.

Alexis was hiding from her past and the painful memories that were associated with it.  Unfortunately, Michelle had the sinking suspicion that she wouldn’t be able to hide for much longer.  And, just as Michelle knew she would, Alexis quickly changed the subject.

“To answer your question Michelle, today was fine.”

Michelle just smiled.  She knew that getting Alexis to talk about her true feelings in front of Kenny was a losing battle.

“That’s good! Did you get the producer thing resolved?”

Alexis glared at her sister. “Not exactly.” 

Kenny snorted.  “She’s meeting him tomorrow at 9.  She’s not happy about it.”

Michelle giggled and Alexis just rolled her eyes.  Putting Kenny and Michelle together definitely wasn’t helping her mood.

Morning came far too quickly.  Truthfully, she’d been up for a while just laying in bed, staring at the ceiling.  Alexis was NOT looking forward to this.  Her mind had drifted back to eight years before, to the day that had changed everything.

“I’m sorry Lexi, I just can’t anymore.  It’s done. I’m done.”

“You can’t what?”

“This! Her! You and me.”

“What did she say to you?”

“It doesn’t matter. It’s over now.  The guys and I…we’re going on tour. I’m moving on.  Goodbye Lexi.”

Back then the Moretti family lived in Orlando.  Alexis and April had met Josh or JC back in the MMC days.  Josh had taken a liking to April and they’d started dating but he’d also become close with Alexis.  They were best friends…until April ruined everything. 

“What did you do?!”

“Why do you care?”

“Why do I care?! He’s my best friend and he just left…because of you! What did you say to him?”

“It doesn’t concern you.”

“WHAT DID YOU SAY TO HIM?!”

“It’s none of your business.”

“YOU CHEATED ON HIM, DIDN’T YOU?  THAT’S WHY HE LEFT! YOU BROKE HIS HEART!”

“SHUT UP ALEXIS!”

“You are such a BITCH!!”

Grumbling under her breath, Alexis rolled out of bed and started to get ready for the day.  She pulled on a pair of jeans.  They fit her perfectly, hugging her hips in all the right places.  Then she pulled on a simple, ribbed cotton tank top and pulled her hair back in a pony tail so that her long, dark hair fell straight down her back.

“You’re up early.” Michelle said as Alexis entered the kitchen.

“Might as well get this over with.” Alexis grumbled.

“Do you think he’ll recognize you?” Michelle asked bravely.

She knew this was a touchy subject.

Alexis shrugged. 

“I doubt it.  It’s been eight years.  He’s met a lot of girls since then.”

Michelle rolled her eyes in secret.  She had a feeling that eventually, he would figure it out.

“He might not remember your face but I bet he remembers your name.”

“Not likely.  He’s not going to meet Alexis Moretti, he’s going to meet Danielle M.”

Michelle smirked.  “Hmm.  I wonder why you did that?”

“Funny you’re not.”

Michelle grinned. “I’m not trying to be funny.”

“It’s better this way.” Alexis grumbled.

“For whom?” Michelle replied.

Alexis didn’t answer.  Instead, she grabbed her keys and her purse and headed for the door.  The drive to the studio was quick.  Too quick.  There had been ZERO traffic.  It was just her luck.

Thank goodness Kenny wasn’t with her today.  She didn’t think she could handle putting on a show for two people.

The recording studio was empty when she entered.  She was early.  Then again, if she remembered anything about Josh it was that he wasn’t an Early Bird.  He was typically late, not overly late but enough to make an entrance.

Shaking her head, Alexis slipped into the booth and sat down at the piano.  Smiling to herself she started plucking at the keys.  She started playing the melody from the new song, allowing herself to get lost in it until a voice broke her from her thoughts.

It had been eight years but Alexis remembered this voice immediately.

“Impressive!”

Alexis’s eyes snapped up and locked with a pair of blue ones on the other side of the glass.

Blue eyes, dark wavy hair that fell down to his shoulders, a strong jawline and that same mischievous smile.  Of course, he would still have that ridiculously adorable smile, but that hair.  The hair she had not expected, but he made it look good.

“Thanks.” She replied calmly.

“I’m…”

Alexis cut him off.  “JC Chasez…I know…”

“You must be Danielle.”

She was pretty.  Long dark hair, deep green eyes, full lips and ivory skin.  Those eyes though, those eyes were definitely something and they were drawing him in.

She nodded.

“Nice to meet you.”

Alexis forced a smile.  She couldn’t say the same but she had to pretend. 

“I hear you are quite good.” Alexis replied.

There was something about her tone that seemed…off.  He couldn’t explain it.

“I heard the same about you.  Obviously, the rumors are true.  You’ve got some pipes.”

Alexis raised an eyebrow.  “You think so?”

He shifted his weight a bit then pushed the button to talk again.  Those green eyes looking back at him.  There was something about those eyes that seemed strangely familiar.

“I mean…I’m just going off the rough cuts I heard, but yeah…you can sing.”

Alexis nodded and bit her bottom lip.  He had no clue.  That was clear.

“So, should we get to it?” Alexis forced out.

He grinned.  She didn’t waste time.  He liked that.

“Whenever you’re ready.”

She smirked a bit and looked back at him.  “I’m waiting on you.”

He chuckled a bit and settled down into the chair.

“Do you want to try that one you were just playing?”

Alexis could only smile a bit and nod.  She was going to enjoy this just a bit too much.

“Sure.”

She took the headphones from their spot, on top of the piano and placed them on her head.  Then, carefully, she placed her hands on the piano, closed her eyes and started to play.

No, I can’t take one more step towards you

Cause all that’s waiting is regret

And don’t you know I’m not your ghost anymore

You lost the love I loved the most

I learned to live half alive

And now you want me one more time

And who do you think you are

Running around leaving scars

She was looking at him as she sang.  In fact, it seemed as if she was singing to him.  And her voice, her voice was haunting.  It was almost as if he’d heard it before.

When she finished it took him a moment to snap back into reality.

“How was that?” Alexis asked.

The look in his eyes spoke volumes.

“Umm…yeah…that was…”JC stuttered.

Silently, he was cursing himself.  He’d never had this type of reaction to a song or an artist before, so why now? 

“That bad?” Alexis teased.

JC shook his head furiously.  “No! No! It was good…you wrote it?”

Alexis nodded. “I did.”

“So, who was he?” 

Alexis had to fight to keep her cool.  She had NOT expected him to ask THAT.  Not yet anyway.

“Excuse me?” she managed to get out.

“It’s about a guy.  Am I right?”

Alexis could only nod.

JC grinned.  “Thought so.  A song like THAT comes from experience.  An old boyfriend?”

Alexis had to bite her tongue to keep from laughing.  If he only knew.

“Nope! Just a guy I knew a LONG time ago.”

“Just a guy?! Hmm…I’m thinking there is a story there.”

Alexis laughed.  “Oh, there is!”

“There always is.” He said smiling.

Alexis just smiled and shook her head.  Clearly, he had NO IDEA who she really was and for now, she was fine with that.  Unfortunately, she knew that eventually the truth would come out but until then she planned to savor every moment of this.

“You have no idea.” She smirked.

JC chuckled a bit.  “Let me guess…. He was dating your best friend?”

Alexis snorted.  “Nope! My sister!”

“Your sister?! Damn!”

Alexis nodded then bit her lip and grinned.  She had a feeling that what she said next was going to strike a chord.

“My TWIN sister!”

For a moment JC froze.  Those green eyes, the way she bit her bottom lip, her voice and the mention of a TWIN.  For a moment, he felt like he was seeing a ghost.  And that song!

 

Shaking the though from his head he looked back at her.

“Do you want to try that again?  Maybe just half a step slower this time?”

Alexis nodded and tried to hide her smile.  She wasn’t playing fair, but she didn’t care.  This had been eight years in the making.

They did the song a few more times, and each time she did it she sang the song directly to him.  It was getting to him, she could tell.

JC was intrigued.  He didn’t know why, but there was something about this girl that was getting to him. 

After about the fourth time going through the song JC decided he needed a break.

“Are you hungry?” he asked.

Truth be told, she really hadn’t eaten breakfast.  She’d been too anxious about seeing him again to eat.  However, she wasn’t sure she could stomach the thought of sharing a meal with him.

On the other hand, she would be lying to herself if she didn’t admit that she was at the very least curious about him.

“I could eat.” She managed to get out.

“Do you like Chinese?”

Alexis had to fight to keep the smile from her face.  The Josh she remembered had always been a sucker for Chinese food.

“Sure.”

A half hour later they were sitting in the production booth on opposite ends of a couch eating Chinese food and chatting a bit between bites of food.

“Are you just producing now?” Alexis asked.

Truthfully, she didn’t know much about his career or *NSYNC.  She’d boycotted anything to do with him since the day he’d walked out of her life.  Also, there was the fact that her parents had banned any mention of him or *NSYNC in an effort to keep the peace within the house. 

However, she wasn’t completely oblivious.

He shook his head and swallowed.  “No.  I am writing a bit too both for myself and the group.”

Alexis nodded.  She’d heard he had one solo album but she could never bring herself to listen to it, even after she’d moved out of her parent’s house. 

“The group?”

His eyes widened a bit.  It was rare that he met a girl her age that didn’t at least know about *NSYNC.

“*NSYNC.”

“Oh, yeah, right!”

He chuckled a bit and she cringed.

His laugh had always been her undoing, and his smile. 

“Let me guess, not an *NSYNC fan?”

Alexis smirked and shook her head.  “Not really my style, but I can respect talent when I hear it.  You guys can definitely sing.”

He grinned and she could feel the blood start to boil inside of her.  He was being charming and it was making her crazy!

“Was that a compliment?!”

“It’s possible.”

“What about you? What is your style?” JC asked curiously.

“Can’t you tell?”

She wanted to hear his answer.

He sat back a bit on the couch and rubbed the back of his neck.  It was something she’d seen him do at least a thousand times, particularly when he was tired or stressed.

“Hmm…well…you’re definitely not a Pop princess…you’ve got an edge.  You’ve got some soul in you too.  I don’t think I would classify you in any one category.”

Alexis couldn’t help but smile.  As much as she didn’t want to be, she was actually impressed by his assessment.

“Was that a compliment?” She teased.

He bit his lip and smiled.  “It’s possible.”

GOD he was infuriatingly charming!  She hadn’t expected him to be quite so charming but then, he didn’t really know the truth.

After lunch they worked on the song a bit more.  By the time they finished for the day they had pretty much finished with the song, and although she hated admitting it, Alexis was surprised by his talent as a producer.  He knew how to bring out the best in her voice and that irritated her beyond belief.

JC returned to his house that evening feeling a bit confused.  None of the artists he’d ever produced for had ever intrigued him the way she did.  There was just something about her that was mesmerizing but yet haunting at the same time.

He could not get her out of his head.

Sighing to himself he allowed his bag to hit the floor at the door then dropped his keys on the coffee table before walking to the fridge.  He pulled a beer from the fridge and popped the top then took a long, slow sip as he leaned back against the counter.

“Dude…you are trippin’!” He muttered to himself.

JC pulled his phone from his pocket and hit a button on his speed dial.  The person on the other end answered on the 2nd ring.

“Let’s go out.” JC said immediately.

“Tonight?”

“Yeah! I need to get out of my head.”

The male voice on the other end of the line started to chuckle.

“Which girl is it this time? Chelsea? Christine? Michelle?”

“It’s not like that.”

“So, you’re saying it’s not about a girl?!”

JC sighed loudly.  “It is…”

“I knew it!”

“Like I said, it’s not like that.  It’s this girl I met today at the studio.  I’m producing her album…”

JC produced for a lot of different artists but this was the first he’d mentioned any female solo artist.

“Oh yeah?! What’s her name?” Justin Timberlake asked.

“Danielle…Danielle M.”

Justin grinned. “Oh yeah! I’ve heard talk of her.  She’s good from what I hear.”

JC smiled.  “Good is an understatement.  She’s…she’s….”

Justin chuckled.  “Are you interested in this girl?”

“I’m telling you man…it’s not like that…there’s something about her…”

It wasn’t like JC to get this flustered over a girl.  Something was up.

“Something?! Ok! What does “something” mean?” Justin asked a bit more seriously.

“I don’t know…that’s the problem.  She has these eyes…and her voice…it’s almost haunting…it’s like I’m seeing a ghost.”

“A ghost?!”

JC sighed and rubbed his neck again.  “I know how it sounds…but I’m telling you, something about this girl is seriously messing with my head.”

 

Chapter 1-9 pt. 3 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

Alexis returned to her condo that evening to find her sister in the kitchen cleaning.  She was dressed in a faded pair of jeans and a Justin Timberlake t-shirt.  She had a pair of Bluetooth headphones on her head and she was swaying to the beat as she wiped down the stove and countertops.

Shaking her head and giggling a bit, Alexis pulled the headphones from her sister’s head and placed them over her ears.

“What are you listening to?” Alexis asked laughing

“Alexis, don’t …” Michelle protested reaching for her headphones.

But it was too late.  Alexis’s eyes went wide as she listened to voice now playing in her ears.  It was HIS voice and as soon as the lyrics registered in her brain it was all she could do not to scream.

You played yourself

(Game over, Game)

But did you, did you think

That you could really find love

From someone else

You’re making moves

You’re gonna lose

“What in the FUCK is that?” Alexis snapped as she shoved the headphones back at her sister.

Michelle raised an eyebrow.  “Like you don’t know.”

“Enlighten me.” Alexis huffed.

“It’s *NSYNC.” Michelle replied calmly.

Alexis’s eyes darkened.  “I know that!”

“It’s from their last album; Celebrity, the one they did before their “Hiatus.”

“What’s that song called?”

Michelle had to fight her smile.  For years any mention of *NSYNC was forbidden in the Moretti house.  A rule her parents had put in place to keep Alexis and April from killing each other but Michelle had loved them in secret for years.  She hid the magazines in her dresser and the cd’s she kept hidden beneath a loose floorboard in her closet.  The VHS tapes with recorded performances she carefully labeled Dawson’s Creek and hid them behind books on her bookshelf.

Alexis noticed her sister’s expression and rolled her eyes.

“I know you like them.  I’ve known for years, and even if I didn’t, that shirt sorta gives you away, so just tell me already, what’s the song called?”

“The Game is Over.” Michelle smirked.

“Did he write it?” Alexis asked bravely.

But she already knew the answer.

Michelle nodded but didn’t speak.

“FUCK!” Alexis hissed.

“What?!” Michelle shot back.

“It’s nothing.”

Michelle made a face.  “Really?!  It’s nothing?! That’s why you’re cursing and your face looks like that.”

Alexis flopped down onto a barstool and groaned.

“Why? Why does he have to be so DAMN charming?”

Michelle tried not to smile.  “I take it things didn’t go well.”

“Ugh!! He’s just SO…”

“Charming?”

“Charming! Infuriating! Attractive!” Alexis huffed.

“That bad, huh?!” Michelle giggled.

“It’s NOT funny!”

Michelle laughed more.  “It is funny!  You’re the one that is so hell bent on hating him, but I know you.  You can’t hate him, no matter how badly you want to because you’re still in love with him.”

Alexis shot her sister a withering look.  “I’m not in love with him!”

“Yes, you are.  You have been since I was a kid.”

“I’m not in love with him!”

“Keep telling yourself that.” Michelle smirked.

Alexis felt it was time to change the subject.

“Does he write all of their songs?” Alexis asked curiously.

Michelle grinned.  “Not all of them, but a lot of them.  He and Justin Timberlake are the ones that do the majority of the writing.”

“Of course, he does.”

“You’re curious now, aren’t you?”

Alexis rolled her eyes a bit.  “Maybe a little.”

Michelle looked halfway giddy.  “Do you want to order pizza and have an *NSYNC binge session?”

“Only if there are margaritas involved.”

Michelle giggled.  “We don’t have any tequila but there is a pack of Coronas and some limes in the fridge.”

“Fine.” Alexis sighed.

Immediately Michelle made a Bee-line for her room, yelling back at her sister as she dashed down the hall.

“You order the pizza.  I’ll gather the necessary supplies.”

Alexis just smiled and shook her head.  She had the feeling that her younger sister had been planning for this moment for the past eight years.

Less than hour later the two girls were settled in the living room in front of the television, each with a plate of pizza and a Corona in front of them.

“So, what are you subjecting me to first?” Alexis smirked.

“The Disney Special, it’s what launched them in the U.S.”

Alexis found herself nodding.  She vaguely remembered JC mentioning it just before things all went south. 

“What is he wearing?” Alexis laughed as JC bounced onto the screen.

Michelle giggled.  “They’ve all had some questionable wardrobe choices over the years.”

Alexis found her eyes glued to the screen.  She couldn’t tear her eyes away from JC.  His voice, the way he bounced around on the stage, his smile.  It was drawing her in. 

She didn’t want to admit that she liked this type of music, or him, but she did.  They could definitely sing, and their harmonies were ON POINT.  Truthfully, she hadn’t heard anyone that could harmonize quite as well as they did.

“So…who is your favorite?” Alexis asked as Michelle switched the DVD’s in the player.

“You think I have a favorite?” Michelle teased.

Alexis laughed.  “Oh, I know you do.  Who is it?”

Michelle giggled.  “Well, I still see JC as an older brother…I just can’t picture him any other way.”

Alexis cracked a smile. Her reasoning made sense.

“I can see that, but you didn’t answer the question.”

Michelle blushed.  “Justin.  I’m a Justin Timberlake girl.”

Alexis laughed.  “I guess I should have figured that from your shirt.  What’s next?”

Michelle grinned.  “Well, we can do the Pay Per View special but I think the HBO Special from Madison Square Garden is better.”

“Madison Square Garden?!”

Alexis was impressed.

“Yeah! Where have you been, living under a rock?”

Alexis rolled her eyes and shook her head.  “*NSYNC was banned in the house, remember?”

Michelle made a face.  “Only because you and April couldn’t go five minutes without screaming at each other whenever they came up.”

Alexis held her hands up in surrender.  “Not my fault.”

“Not mine either, but yet I was made to suffer anyway in order to prevent World War 3.”

Alexis sighed.  She hated that Michelle had been dragged into the middle of her feud with her twin sister.

“I’m sorry.” Alexis replied.

Michelle nodded.  “I know.  I would do it all over again though.  I wasn’t a fan of the screaming.”

Alexis chuckled.  “Neither was I.”

Michelle looked to her sister.  “So…Pay Per View or HBO special, your choice?”

“You said the HBO special was better…let’s go with that.”

Alexis watched in awe as JC danced and sang on the screen in front of her.  He was an AMAZING performer and he had an INCREDIBLE voice.  His energy on stage was undeniable.  She was hooked.

“Some of these songs are really good.” Alexis said bluntly.

Michelle grinned.  “Some?”

Alexis swatted at her sister.  “Ok, ok.  They’re all good.”

Michelle snuck a look over at her sister.  Her eyes were fixated on the screen and she seemed to be tracking only JC.  Her sister was a goner and she had no idea it was happening.

“You know he has a solo album, right?”

“Who does?”

Michelle laughed.  “You know who.”

“JC?!”

“Yes JC, who did you think I meant, Lance?”

“Which one is Lance?”

Michelle nodded to the other blonde on screen.  “That’s Lance …he’s the Bass of the group.  He’s from Mississippi.”

Alexis nodded and smiled.  Apparently, she was going to get a crash course in *NSYNC from her sister.

“Who are the other two?”

Michelle grinned and nodded to the screen.  “That one is Joey Fatone and the other one is Chris Kirkpatrick.”

“Joey Fatone? Was he in a movie? He looks familiar.”

Michelle smiled bashfully.  “He was in My Big Fat Greek Wedding.”

Alexis’s jaw dropped and then she began to smile and shake her head at her sister.

“Is that why you literally DRAGGED me to that movie when it came out, because a member of *NSYNC was in it?”

Michelle blushed.  “Maybe.”

Alexis laughed.  “You are obsessed.”

“And that’s bad because why?”

“This solo album of JC’s, do you have a copy of it?” Alexis asked.

Michelle grinned.  “Why do you ask?”

Alexis rolled her eyes.  “What?! I’m curious, ok?!”

“Hmm…I wonder why that is?”

“God, you are annoying!” Alexis smirked.

“I do have a copy.  Do you want to borrow it?”

Alexis paused in thought.  Part of her desperately wanted to hear what he was capable of as a solo artist.  The other part of her was afraid to find out.

“Yeah, ok, fine.  Let me borrow it.” Alexis sighed.

Every day for the next couple of weeks Alexis was in the studio with JC working on the album, and every day she had to pretend like she wasn’t affected by him. 

Then again, he was having a hard time denying that he wasn’t affected by her.

“Do I make you nervous or something?” JC asked one afternoon between takes.

“What makes you say that?”

“You just seem so…”

Alexis raised an eyebrow.

JC smiled and shook his head.  “What I mean is…you can relax…the album sounds great.  You’re an AMAZING vocalist.”

“I can relax?! Do I not seem relaxed?”

JC chuckled.  “Not really.”

Alexis made a face.  “Well, then how do I seem?”

“The truth?”

“Sure.”

JC took a breath.  The last he thing he wanted was to offend her.

“You seem kinda uptight, like you’re holding something in.”

She had to bite her bottom lip to keep from laughing.  If he only knew.

“Uptight?! I seem uptight?!”

JC was starting to panic a bit now.  The album wasn’t done yet.  They still had to work together.  He did NOT want to make it uncomfortable.

“Look, I get it.  First album, you feel like you have a lot to prove, but trust me …you got this! Relax! Enjoy it!”

Alexis wanted to scream.  He was being charming again.  She really wanted to hate him, but she just couldn’t. 

“Do you want to go get a drink?” JC blurted out.

“With you?”

JC smiled. “That was the idea.”

“Right now?”

“Sure. Why not?  We’re basically done here.”

Alexis took a moment to respond.  She wasn’t sure going out with JC was such a good idea but in the end her curiosity won out.

“Ok.”

JC smiled and Alexis felt her knees wobble a bit.

“C’mon, I’ll drive.”

Nodding silently, Alexis grabbed her purse and started to follow him out the door.  The walked through the building to the elevators and as soon as they were in the elevator Alexis felt her breath catch in her throat.

The doors opened on a floor just before the parking garage and a large group of people surged into the compartment.

Suddenly, Alexis found herself backed into a corner with JC pushed up against her.

Her heart had started to pound in her chest and she could feel his warm breath against her face.

“You ok?” He whispered.

She nodded, unable to speak.

“Am I crushing you?” He whispered again.

Alexis shook her head this time.  She hadn’t expected that she would have quite this strong of a reaction to him being this close.

Thankfully, the elevator ride was short and soon they were walking through the car garage.  Alexis followed him until they stopped alongside a black, Mercedes convertible.

“This is your car?” Alexis asked surprised.

JC smiled bashfully.  “Yeah. Why, what do you drive?”

Alexis motioned across the row to her blue beetle.

“Cute.” He chuckled.

“It’s not cute, it’s vintage.” Alexis huffed.

“Vintage?! Ok.” JC laughed.

His laugh and the way his voice sounded when he laughed was making her crazy.

Minutes later they were pulling up to a bar in downtown Los Angeles.  It wasn’t your typical, swanky Hollywood bar but more of a dive bar, tucked away from the busy street.

They stepped inside and headed for the bar.  Alexis slid onto barstool next to JC and moments later a bartender appeared.

“What can I get for you?” the bartender asked.

“Ladies first.” JC said nodding to Alexis.

“Jack and Coke, please.” Alexis replied.

JC grinned. “Jack Daniels?! I am impressed.  I had you pegged as a fruity cocktail girl.”

Alexis laughed.  “Only if it’s a margarita.”

“Good to know.” JC chuckled.

“And for you?” the bartender asked.

“I’ll have the same.”

Minutes later the bartender reappeared with their drinks.  Alexis took a long, slow slip as she tried to steady her nerves.

“So, what’s your story?” JC asked as he took a drink from his own glass.

“My story?”

“Yeah.  Where are you from?  What got you into music?”

Alexis swallowed her drink quickly and took another long sip.  This was going to be interesting.

“Originally, I’m from Florida.  I moved out to LA with my younger sister a few years ago.”

She was trying to be as vague as possible.

“A twin sister and a younger sister, no brothers?” JC asked.

He was trying to get to know her but she was being incredibly tight lipped.

“No. Just the three of us.”

“Are you close?”

She stiffened a bit and he noticed immediately.  It was then that JC remembered the story about the song.

“Oh yeah, that’s right, sorry I asked.” JC replied quickly.

Alexis forced a smile.  “My younger sister and I are close, my twin sister and I, it depends on the day.”

JC laughed.  “Fair enough.”

There was a bit of an awkward pause.  Alexis took another sip of her drink while JC watched her carefully.  There was something about her that was mesmerizing.

What got you into music?” He continued

“I’ve always been interested in music, since I was a little kid.  I just started singing when I was really little and I never stopped.”

JC smiled, the type of smile that just made you feel warm and tingly all over.  That smile was going to be her undoing.  She knew it.

“Does that smile typically work?” Alexis smirked.

“Depends on the day.” JC teased back.

Alexis laughed at his reply.  He was flirting, or so she thought.

“You’re a flirt.” Alexis smirked.

“Only sometimes.” JC chuckled.

“Are you flirting with me Mr. Chasez?”

“I don’t know, am I Miss…what is your last name?” JC replied.

Alexis froze.  She didn’t know how she was going to get out of this one.

“You don’t know?” Alexis managed to reply.

JC smiled.  “I don’t actually.  I know you go by Danielle M., but I’ve never heard what the M stands for.”

Now she had a choice to make.  Tell the truth and pray he didn’t put the pieces together or lie and pray that the album would be finished before he figured it out.

In the end, she decided to tell the truth, then silently prayed that he didn’t figure it out.

“Moretti.” She replied quietly.

For a split second Alexis thought she saw a flicker of recognition in his eyes and her breath caught in her throat. 

That name, it sounded so similar.  Everything about her seemed eerily familiar but he couldn’t figure out why.

“I’ve heard that name before.” JC mused aloud.

“It’s a fairly common Italian name and you know a LOT of people.” Alexis said waving a hand dismissively.

He nodded and smiled.  “This is true.”

However, JC couldn’t shake the feeling that there was more to this girl than she was letting on.

“You didn’t answer my question.” Alexis said, snapping JC from his trance.

“Which was?”

“Are you flirting with me?” Alexis repeated.

JC chuckled a bit.  “It’s possible.”

Alexis laughed.  “Fair enough.”

For the next few hours they chatted while sipping on their drinks.  The discussion was casual but by the end of the evening JC was feeling even more confused by Alexis and his feelings than he had been when the night started.

The album was nearing finished and Alexis was excited.  It sounded really good and JC was an AMAZING producer.  No matter how she hated to admit it.  They chatted in between takes and bantered back and forth but Alexis always held back just a little. 

The label had approved the new song as the first single and now she was in preparation to shoot the music video.  A storyline had been sketched out, one that Alexis was completely on board with and they had hired a male model to play opposite Alexis in the video.  She was excited.

Today she was meeting with someone from the label’s wardrobe department to try on dresses for the video as well as clothes for her album photo shoot. 

Truthfully, she was a bit nervous.  Clothes had never really been her thing.  Alexis had always dressed for comfort or ease of movement, when she was dancing.  Fashion was April’s world, not hers.

Kenny arrived at the condo at precisely 8 a.m. with a Peppermint White Mocha in hand.

“For you.” He said offering Alexis the cup when she opened the door.

“Me? How did you know my drink order?” Alexis asked before taking a sip.

Kenny grinned.  “I have my ways.”

Alexis giggled.  “Well, thank you.  It’s much appreciated.”

“You ready?” Kenny asked eyeing her.

On this particular day Alexis had dressed for maximum comfort.  She was wearing a pair of blue and white Addidas tennis shoes, dark blue wind pants and a dark grey v-neck t-shirt.  Her long, dark hair was pulled back in a pony tail and there was a blue baseball cap on her head. 

“Ready as I am going to get.”

“Let’s go then.” Kenny said nodding to the door.

Moments later they were in his SUV headed down the road.

“Are you not excited about this?” Kenny asked shifting his gaze towards her.

Alexis smiled a bit and nodded.  “I am.  I’m just a bit nervous as well.  Fancy clothes aren’t really my thing.”

“A girl who doesn’t like fancy clothes?! Do those even exist?”

Alexis giggled.  “I never said I didn’t like fancy clothes.  I just prefer comfortable ones.”

“Same girl. Same.” Kenny laughed.

Once they arrived at the label offices Kenny and Alexis parted ways for a bit.  Alexis left to meet with the woman from wardrobe while Kenny went off in search of more coffee.

The wardrobe office was more like a department store fitting room.  There were racks of clothes along one wall, a pile of fabric swatches and a sewing machine on the corner of a desk and along the back wall, two, small fitting rooms.

An older woman with glasses and short, grey hair except for a purple streak in her bangs greeted Alexis at the door.

“Good morning, you must be Danielle.  I’m Karen.”

Alexis nodded and smiled politely.  “Nice to meet you.”

“I took a look at the story outline for the video and pulled a few dresses I think might go along with the concept, we can start there.”

Alexis nodded and followed Karen to one of the clothing racks. Alexis tried on several dresses, all of which were very pretty but none really seemed right for the video. 

It was frustrating to say the least.

“Hmm.” Karen wondered aloud.

“What?” Alexis asked curiously.

“Well…I have this one dress that I just got in yesterday.  I’m not familiar with the designer but one of my buyers purchased some of her designs from a boutique in New York.”

Alexis shrugged her shoulders.  “Ok.”

Moments later Alexis was standing in the dressing room looking at her reflection in the mirror.  It was a white, strapless dress.  The body of the dress was made of thin material, Organza maybe, and the skirt stopped about mid-thigh in the front.  The back and sides of the skirt were several layers of white tulle that reached just above her ankles.  It was pretty, but with an edge.  It was perfect.

Timidly, Alexis stepped out of the dressing room and waited anxiously while Karen looked her over.

“What do you think?” Karen asked.

Alexis allowed the smile to spread across her face.

“I LOVE it!”

Karen grinned. “It looks GORGEOUS on you!”

“This is the one!”

Karen nodded in agreement.  “Great.  I’ll have it cleaned and pressed and sent to over to the set that morning.  Now, about shoes.  How do you feel about combat boots?”

Alexis giggled.  “With this dress?”

Karen smiled then nodded.

“I LOVE that idea!”

“Great…what is your shoe size?”

“7.”

Karen nodded.  “Got it.  Now on to the album photo shoot.  I know you’re a jeans and T-shirt girl so I pulled some pieces from this same designer for you to try.”

Alexis took the clothes and then took the opportunity to look at them more closely.  She had to admit they were cute and definitely something she would seriously consider wearing.  The first pair of jeans was dark denim with thick white stitching and fake crystals on both front and back pockets.  The second pair of jeans were also dark denim but the white stitching was in a wave pattern and the back pockets had vines stitched on them. Of the three shirts one was a tank top, one was more of a peasant top with capped sleeves and the third was a T-shirt.  All three were very pretty and made from very soft fabric.  Alexis liked them immediately.

“Who did you say the designer was?” Alexis asked.

“Oh, it should say on the tag but I think her name is April Denise.” Karen answered.

Immediately Alexis’s face fell.  That was not the name she’d expected or wanted to hear.

Karen saw Alexis’s face and immediately wondered what she’d said wrong.

“Have you heard of her before?” Karen asked. 

Alexis forced a smile.  “Oh yes, you could definitely say that.” 

“I take it you’re not a fan of her work.” Karen added. 

“Umm…” Alexis stammered.  “It’s not quite that simple.  Let’s just say it’s not her designs I have issues with.”

Karen looked puzzled but thought it best not to push the topic. 

“Well, then why don’t you take the clothes home, try them on and if you like them then we’ll use them and if you don’t then bring them back and we will keep looking.” 

Alexis nodded.  “I guess that’s fair.”

The car ride to the studio was quiet.  For a long time, Alexis sat there staring out into nothing, completely lost in her thoughts.  Her thoughts drifted back to the clothes that were now folded in the backseat of Kenny’s SUV.  Just thinking about them angered her.  And admitting that she actually liked the clothes only made things worse.  They were beautiful clothes and definitely something she would consider wearing if only it wasn’t for the name attached to them; April Denise.  That name left a bitter taste in Alexis’s mouth.  

Like Danielle, April Denise was a persona, a name purposely chosen for its mystery and anonymity, a name chosen as a means of escape from the pain of the past that was hidden behind it.  Alexis knew this for certain.  She knew this because she’d done the same thing by choosing to use Danielle instead of Alexis in regards to her career.  And, she knew this because like it or not she and April Denise were very similar.  Similar wasn’t even the right word.  They were connected but in ways that no two other people could be.  They shared the same eyes, the same smile, the same mannerisms, the same fierce determination, the same birthday and more importantly the same last name.  April Denise was really April Denise Moretti; Alexis’s twin.  And until this very moment Alexis had very little trouble separating Alexis; the person she was, from Danielle; the person she wanted to be.  She shook her head and closed her eyes trying to force the thoughts from her mind.  For almost eight years she’d fought to keep her past from interfering with her dream and now all that hard work was being threatened by something as simple as a few pieces of fabric.  

“You ok?” JC asked later that afternoon.

Alexis seemed distant.  More so than usual. 

Alexis sighed then nodded.

“Yeah, sorry, just a lot on my mind.”

“Want to talk about it?” JC offered.

Alexis forced a smile.  “Umm…”

JC smiled back.  “I’m not trying to pry.  I just know that sometimes it helps to have someone outside the situation to talk to.”

Alexis had to fight not to choke.  JC was definitely NOT outside of the situation. 

“It’s complicated.”

“Isn’t it always?”

Alexis couldn’t help but giggle a bit.  Could she open up to him again?  She wasn’t sure, but maybe it was time to find out.

Alexis took a steadying breath then started to speak.

“My sister…my twin sister and I, we don’t exactly have the best relationship.  We had a falling out…”

“Over the guy?”

Alexis nodded.

“It was bad! Really bad! We didn’t speak to each other for months.  My parents, they banned any mention of him because of the fighting.  We still don’t talk much…only when necessary…”

Alexis paused but JC stayed quiet, just listening to her and watching the pain in her eyes. 

“My sister…she’s a clothing designer in New York.”

JC nodded.  “Both of you are artists…makes sense.”

Alexis sighed.  “I’m shooting my first music video next week, and I have a photo shoot for the album…all the clothes…are her designs.”

JC’s eyes widened a bit. “Oh!”

Then his eyes widened a bit more.

“She doesn’t know, does she?” JC asked.

Alexis shook her head.  “Nope! But I think she’s about to find out.”

“Let me guess, you like the clothes?”

“I do, but I don’t want to!” Alexis grumbled.

Alexis was still playing the events of the day over in her head when she returned home that evening.  Mumbling to herself Alexis tossed the clothes she’d been given to try onto the couch then headed for the fridge.

Moments later Michelle entered the room.  She spied the clothes on the couch and then glared at her sister’s back.

 

“I just got done straightening up in here.” Michelle grumbled.

 

Alexis giggled a bit and then started to apologize.  “I’m sorry…”

 

Michele gave her sister a hard look then proceeded to examine the clothes while at the same time folding them neatly.

 

“Likely story.  These are nice, you should take better care of them.”

 

Alexis rolled her eyes and made a feeble attempt to change the subject.  “They’re nothing spectacular but you’re right, technically they aren’t mine so I should take care of them.”

 

That wasn’t an Alexis response at all. 

 

“Where did you get them?” Michelle asked.

 

Alexis waved her hand and shrugged.  “Karen in Wardrobe gave them to me to try.”

 

Michelle knew that Alexis had never been much for fashion, but she wasn’t completely void of taste so there had to be more to this story.

 

“And have you?” 

 

Alexis would be lying if she said she didn’t already know where this conversation was headed.  She knew that as soon as April’s name passed her lips an argument would ensue.  There was always an argument where April was concerned.  Michelle would come to April’s defense and Alexis would get mad at Michelle and then at herself for dragging Michelle into the middle once again.  Michelle was the glue that was holding the family together.  She was the only reason Alexis and April had remained civil to one another.  Unfortunately, after five eight her ability to hold things together was beginning to fade and something kept telling her that if someone, namely Alexis or April didn’t fix things soon their family would fall apart completely.  

 

“Have I what?” 

 

Michelle sighed with frustration.  Now Alexis had resorted to playing dumb, something that she failed miserably at because she was anything but.  Which was only proof that there was definitely more to this story.  Unfortunately, if she wanted to get anything out of Alexis she was going to have to play along.  Michelle was not amused.

 

“Have you tried the clothes on yet?” 

 

“No.”

 

“Why not?”  Michelle shot back.

 

The fact that Alexis was being so tight lipped about a few articles of clothing sent warning bells off in Michelle’s head.  It didn’t matter that Michelle was quickly tiring of the cat and mouse game they were obviously playing.  She was determined to get the whole story out of her sister.

 

“I don’t think I like them.” 

 

That was a blatant lie, and Alexis silently cursed herself for lying to Michelle.  She’d never lied to Michelle before.  In truth, she liked the clothes a lot but hated the fact that April’s name was all over them.

 

“Well, how do you know if you haven’t even tried them on? I mean they look like they would fit.”

 

Alexis rolled her eyes again.  “Oh, I am sure they will fit.” 

 

Alexis’s voice dripped with sarcasm but Michelle pretended she didn’t notice.  

 

“Ok, so then what’s the problem? They totally look like something you would wear.”

 

“Look at the tags.” Alexis growled.

 

Michelle, rather than argue humored her sister and looked at the tags on the clothing that now sat in her lap.  And, as soon as she read the name on the tag Michelle knew why Alexis had such a problem with wearing the clothes.

 

Michelle shook her head and sighed.  This was an argument that Michelle knew she probably wouldn’t win, but like every other time they’d had this argument she had to at least try. As per usual, Michelle had become April’s voice where Alexis was concerned when in reality the two people that needed to have this conversation couldn’t even stand to be in the same room with each other for more than five minutes.

 

“You’re kidding me, right?  You’re basing your opinion of these clothes, and whether or not you will even try them on, on the fact that April is the designer?” 

 

“Yup. I sure am.” 

 

Michelle closed her eyes briefly and took a deep breath.  This was not going to end well.

 

“You do realize that is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard!  If it was any other designer you wouldn’t have a problem but because it’s your sister, your TWIN sister I might add you have issues.”

 

Alexis was well aware that her reasoning was absurd but she was feeding off her pent-up anger and frustration, and she was directing it at the wrong sister.

 

“And so, what if I am?  This is my career, not hers and I refuse to just stand quietly while she gets what she wants, not this time!”

 

Michelle opened her mouth, then shut it again.  She was going to have to choose her words very carefully because it was obvious that Alexis was not thinking reasonably.

 

“Seriously Alexis, you are being ridiculous! This has nothing to do with the clothes or with your career and you know it.  In fact, I’ll bet that April doesn’t even know that the label has any of her designs.  I’ll bet that some buyer for the label went out and got a whole bunch of clothes from different designers and she has no idea.  But, you probably didn’t even consider that idea because you’d rather get all worked up and jump to conclusions than pick up the phone and talk to her.”

 

If anything, Alexis had to give her sister credit. Michelle had the uncanny ability to make Alexis think differently about the situation.  Normally, when the subject of her twin came up in a conversation Alexis was too caught up in the anger and betrayal she felt to think rationally.  And instead of telling any of the people involved how she felt when it actually mattered Alexis had closed herself off and buried those feelings, allowing them to fester and boil inside of her.  The events of the day had caused those feelings to bubble to the surface and Michelle was the only one who’d been brave enough to force Alexis to confront those feelings.

 

“I don’t want to talk to her.”

 

Michelle smirked.  She knew just as well as Alexis did that wasn’t entirely true.  Alexis had quite a few things she wanted to say to April.  She just hadn’t brought herself to say them yet.

 

“You could have fooled me.”

 

Alexis turned on her heel to leave but not before grabbing the clothes from her sister’s lap and giving her a snide reply, “I’m not having this discussion right now.  If April has anything to say to me she can pick up the phone and call me her damn self!”

 

“What are we three now?  You don’t like what I have to say so you’re going to stomp your feet and walk away and go pout in your room?” Michelle snapped back.

 

Alexis shouted back down the hall at her sister then slammed the door to her bedroom behind her.

 

“Something like that!”

 

Michelle just shook her head.  She knew that Alexis wasn’t really mad at her.  She was mad because she knew that Michelle was right and just didn’t want to admit it.  It was just one more thing that the three Moretti sisters had in common, they were all incredibly stubborn.

 

In her bedroom Alexis had flopped back onto her bed and was now staring blankly at the ceiling with the clothes lying next to her.  She didn’t want to admit that Michelle had been right.  She was acting very childish.  Sighing in resignation Alexis sat up on the bed and eyed the clothes next to her.  The likelihood that April had any knowledge of the fact that her designs were now in Alexis’s possession was probably very slim.  And she had to admit that designer aside she liked the clothes very much.  And, it wasn’t like anyone needed to know that she and the designer were related.  There was also a good chance that these items and the dress would be the only items designed by her sister that she’d ever have to wear. A dress, three tops and two pairs of jeans weren’t going to kill her.  Mumbling to herself Alexis stood and began to shed the clothes she was already wearing.  As she undressed, she kept telling herself that there was no harm in just trying them on and she was just going to return them the next day.  This was just to satisfy her curiosity regarding her sister and what she’d been doing since packing up and moving to New York.

 

First, she pulled on a pair of the jeans and found herself fighting the urge to cry when she looked at herself in the mirror.  The jeans fit perfectly, in fact, they were better than perfect.  They fit like a glove.  They hugged her body in all the right places but were loose enough to allow her to breathe and move.  She tried the second pair of jeans and they fit just as well as the first.  She wanted to scream.  She’d wanted so badly for the clothes to not fit, at least then she would have a valid reason for hating them.  But she didn’t hate them, she couldn’t, they were perfect.  All three tops fit perfectly as well.  The peasant top was very flattering, and very pretty and the color brought out the green in her eyes.  The tank top had bits of glitter and crystals that sparkled when they caught the light.  The T-shirt was made from the most comfortable material to ever touch her skin and it was her favorite color; purple.  Of course, they would fit, and of course she would love them because that was just her luck today.

 

Grumbling, Alexis changed back into her own clothes, folded the other clothes neatly then placed them on the bed.  She was going to have to give in on this one and she knew it.  Sighing in defeat she pulled her hair back into a loose pony tail, gave herself one last look in the mirror to make sure her own clothes were on straight then started down the hallway towards the living room.

 

She knew Michelle would still be there, because well, she was Michelle.  She’d always been the one to wait patiently for others to figure out what she’d known all along.

 

“So, they fit, didn’t they?” Michelle asked.

 

Michelle was still sitting on the couch, precisely where Alexis had left her.  She hadn’t turned around but she knew Alexis was there.  She’d heard Alexis coming down the hall.  And, to be honest she already knew Alexis’s answer but it was fun to watch her squirm a bit.

 

Alexis let out an exasperated sigh.  “You know they did.”

 

At this Michelle giggled a bit.  “Yes, I did.  But, then again, I think you did too.”

 

Alexis huffed a little then flopped down on the couch next to her sister. “Probably.”

 

A sly smile crept across Michelle’s face.  She was enjoying this just a little too much.

 

“I bet you liked the clothes too.”

 

Alexis grumbled loudly. “Yes!”

 

“So once again, I was right?”

 

Alexis glared at her sister.  She was milking this for all it was worth and it irritated Alexis just a little bit more.

 

“You’re enjoying this aren’t you?” 

 

Michelle grinned.  “Just a bit.”

 

Alexis smiled and shook her head.  “I thought so, and to answer your question, yes, I like the clothes even though I don’t want to.”

 

Michelle nodded.  “I know you don’t want to and although I don’t agree with your reasons, I get that accepting anything to do with April is hard for you.” 

 

Alexis forced a smile and nodded.  “That’s an understatement.” 

 

Michelle could tell that they’d reached the point in this conversation where Alexis had reached her breaking point and there was no sense in pushing her further.  One battle for the day was enough.

Chapter 1-9 pt.4 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

Manhattan, New York- 2 days later

 

Outside the window pigeons cooed rather loudly but April didn’t mind the noise.  She was in her own world, a world of fabric swatches, buttons, thread and fast changing fads.  She was completely submersed in the throws of the fashion world and she absolutely loved it.

 

She loved the bright colors and textures of the fabric.  More importantly she loved that she had the ability to create and express herself in such a way that could be shared.

 

True, other artists had that ability as well but there was just something about seeing her designs on others that made her heart leap.  To be honest, she hadn’t had that opportunity very often just yet.  She was still earning her place in the fashion world.

 

As of yet she only had a few boutiques in New York and L.A. agree to carry her collection but she had a good feeling that things were about to start turning around.  In the meantime, she would just have to be content with being allowed to create without interruption.  Or so she thought.  She was in the middle of sewing on a button to a piece of fabric when the door to her studio opened and another woman breezed through the door wielding her cell phone and purse in one hand and a tray with two coffee cups in the other.  She had blonde hair, brown eyes, a long, slender figure and a friendly smile.

 

She was April’s right hand; her agent, her publicist and web master.  There wasn’t anything she couldn’t do or at least that was how April saw it.

 

Without even looking up April took the offered cup of coffee and greeted her visitor.

 

“Good Morning Amy!”

 

Amy grinned.  “Yes, it is.  It’s a great morning!”

 

April giggled.  Amy’s ability to be so upbeat all the time was both a blessing and a curse.  Her upbeat personality kept April motivated and at the same time drove her bonkers.

 

“Why is it such a great morning?” April asked.

 

Amy set down her purse and coffee cup on the edge of April’s work table and pulled up a stool to sit next to her.  The smile was still as wide as ever on Amy’s face so April knew something was up.

 

“Well, I just got a call from a record label in L.A. and they want to use some of your designs for a music video as well as the album cover and promotional prints for one of their artists.” 

 

April’s eyes widened.  This was the break she’d been hoping and waiting for.

 

“Who is the artist?”

 

“Umm...Danielle something.”

 

April’s eyes widened a bit more and she swallowed hard.  Certainly, there was more than one Danielle releasing an album soon.

 

“Danielle M.?”

 

“Yeah, that’s it!” Amy yelped.

 

Then realization hit.  She had been so excited when she’d taken the call that she hadn’t even given the name a second thought.

 

“Oh wow! That’s your sister, isn’t it?” 

 

Amy knew very little about April’s twin.  All she knew was that they didn’t speak to each other and it had been that way for as long as she’d known April.

 

“Yup, that’s her.” April grumbled.

 

“So, what do you want to do? It’s your call.”

 

“I don’t know.”

Nothing more was said on the topic for the rest of the day but that didn’t mean it was forgotten.

In fact, it was all April could think about.  She could only imagine what her twin might be thinking at the moment.  Whatever it was, it probably wasn’t pleasant.  She hadn’t said more than just a few words to Alexis in almost eight years.

Alexis hated her, and if April was being honest, she had every reason to.  That being said it wasn’t like April hadn’t tried to apologize.  She’d tried on several occasions to apologize to Alexis for what had happened but every time she tried it just ended up going terribly wrong.  Every time April tried to talk to her sister she felt as if she was reliving the same horrible day over and over again.  Eventually April just gave up trying.  There was nothing she could say or do to make up for what she’d done.  In one day, she’d managed to ruin her relationship with her sister, destroy her family and break a man’s heart.

 

The next morning Amy found April right where she’d left her, sitting amidst a sea of fabric staring off into space.

In fact, she was still wearing the same clothes from the day before which meant she hadn’t gone home yet.

Amy sighed and shook her head.  She knew that the subject of her sister was a touchy one for April but she had no idea it was this bad.

“Come on, you look like you could use some fresh air.  Let’s go get some coffee and go for a walk.”

April didn’t argue or speak.  Instead, she stood and quietly grabbed her purse and followed Amy out the door.

After getting coffee the girls started walking towards Central Park, which was just a few blocks from April’s tiny studio.

April hadn’t said much but Amy knew that needed to change in a big way if anything was going to be accomplished today.

“My sister and I don’t speak.”

“Yeah...I got that.” 

“My sister and I have barely said more than two sentences to each other in almost eight years.” 

“Yeah, kinda picked up on that one too.  Do you want to tell me why?”

“Because I was a bitch. I was selfish and heartless and now my sister won’t speak to me.” 

“So fix it.”

“I’ve tried.”

“Maybe it’s time to try again.” Amy replied.

April could only nod.  She had a lot to think about.

**********

In Los Angeles the day of the music video shoot had come.  Alexis stood in front of the mirror in her trailer, staring at her reflection.  The dress fit perfectly and the way the stylist had curled her hair in soft curls made her feel pretty.

“We’re ready for you Miss M.” a voice said from outside the trailer.

They were ready, but was she?  She was about to find out.

Alexis stepped out of the trailer and walked towards the set.  The director and the male model the label had hired to play opposite her were waiting on set.  However, as soon as Alexis got close enough to look at him, she had to fight the urge to swallow her tongue.

The guy that would be male lead in the video, the guy that would be the fictional embodiment of JC onscreen looked EXACTLY like JC the day he’d walked out.

“Well FUCK!” Alexis muttered to herself.

Overall, the video shoot went well.  Alexis was happy with the end result.  It was a beautiful video but now that it was done, she had to wait, and worry about how it would be received.  Truthfully, she was most nervous about what JC was going to say.  There was NO WAY he wasn’t going to figure out who she was now.

*****

Three days after the video shoot Alexis was back in the studio with JC.  This would be the last day they would be working together.  The album was basically finished and her single with the video was going to drop the very next day.

“I think we’re done.” JC said as he leaned back in the production chair.

A smile tugged at Alexis’s lips.  He seemed so happy, so at ease like this.  It made him seem even sexier if it were possible.

“You think so?”

JC smiled and nodded.  “The album is finished.  I wouldn’t change a thing at this point.  It sounds amazing, you sound AMAZING.”

Alexis blushed.

“Thanks.”

“We should celebrate.” JC blurted out.

“Excuse me?!” Alexis giggled.

“We should go out, have a drink, celebrate your success.”

Alexis laughed out loud.  “My success?! Don’t you think you’re being a bit presumptuous?!”

JC grinned.  “No, not really.”

“Go out? What does that mean?” Alexis asked as she smiled and shook her head.

JC chuckled.  “It means I am taking you out.”

“On a date?” Alexis squeaked.

JC laughed.  “That was the idea.”

“You’re asking me out?”

“I am.  Are you accepting?” JC said as he smiled and bit his lip.

“Isn’t that like a conflict of interest or something?”

JC laughed.  “Maybe if we were still working together, but your album is finished.”

Alexis looked down at herself briefly.  She was dressed in a pair of black leggings and a long, scoop neck top that was tied in a knot at the waist.  Not really suitable date attire.

“Where are you taking me?” Alexis asked, her eyes wide.

“Where do you want to go?”

Alexis didn’t know how to respond.  Going out for a drink with him had been one thing, going on an actual date was entirely another.

“Do you eat Mexican food?” Alexis asked bravely.

Truthfully, if she remembered correctly, he did eat Mexican food.  It wasn’t his favorite but he tolerated it well enough as long as it wasn’t too spicy.  And, if she was in fact going to go out on a date with him then Margaritas needed to be involved.  LOTS of Margaritas.

“On occasion.”

“Ever been to El Sombrero?” Alexis asked.

JC shook his head and grinned.  “Can’t say that I have.  Where is that?”

“Rancho Park.”

JC smiled and bit his lip a bit as he looked back at her.  “Rancho Park?! Is that where you live?”

“Yes.  Is that a problem?”

He chuckled. “Nope. Not a problem.  Sounds great.  I’ll pick you up at your place, say around 7:30 p.m.?”

Alexis shook her head furiously.  “No! That’s ok, I will just meet you there.”

“Where is the fun in that?” He teased.

Alexis smiled and tried not to let her nerves give her away.  The LAST thing she needed was to have JC show up at her place and have Michelle answer the door.

Was she nervous? He couldn’t tell, but something about the look in her eyes right then told JC not to push the issue.

“I’ll meet you there at 7:30.” JC agreed.

“Thank you.”

As soon as Alexis made it through her front door the nerves started to kick in.  She was going on a date with Josh.  Actually, Danielle was going on a date with JC but that was the least of her worries. 

“Michelle?!” Alexis called out.

“I’m right here.  You don’t need to shout.” Michelle replied from her seat at the dining room/kitchen table.

“I need your help.” Alexis huffed as she dropped her bag on the table.

Michelle eyed the bag with disdain then looked up at her sister.

“With?”

“I’m going on a date and I don’t know what to wear.” Alexis replied.

Michelle raised an eyebrow.  Yes, Alexis went on dates, they both did, but it had been at least a little while since Alexis had been on a date.  Not to mention the fact that she never once mentioned she was seeing anyone.

“A date?! With whom?!”

Alexis gave her sister a pointed look and Michelle had to fight the urge to burst out laughing.

“With JC?” Michelle giggled.

Alexis made a face.

“No, Justin Timberake…yes, with JC!”

“Ok, wait, you’re going on a date or Danielle is?”

Alexis rolled her eyes at her sister.  “It’s the same person.  They are both me.”

Michelle smirked.  “I know that, but he doesn’t.”

“Are you going to help me or not?” Alexis shot back.

Michelle smiled back at her sister with a devilish grin.  “I’ll help you, but you do realize that if this is going to continue, you’re going to have to tell him the truth.”

“I’ll tell him.” Alexis sighed.

“When?”

“I don’t know, when the time is right.”

“Soon! You need to tell him soon!” Michelle shot back.

“Ok, fine, I will tell him soon, but not tonight.”

“He’s gonna figure it out.”

“Ugh! Michelle, will you please quit lecturing me and help?”

Michelle smirked.  “Yes, I’ll help.  Where are you guys going?”

“El Sombrero.” Alexis answered.

Michelle snorted.  “You’re really asking for it, aren’t you?”

Alexis made a face.  “Please! Just help me pick something to wear.”

Thirty minutes later Alexis was dressed in a pair of low rise, hip hugger jeans and a deep green, flowy peasant top that came off one shoulder exposing her neck.  Her hair she’d curled in soft curls then pulled back into a low, loose pony-tail so that the curls fell softly down her back.

“How do I look?” Alexis asked, looking to her sister.

“Like you’re about to get into trouble.” Michelle smirked.

“You’re not helping.” Alexis huffed.

“You only asked for my help getting ready.  You can get into trouble all on your own.”

Alexis didn’t respond.  Instead, she turned from the room and started down the hallway towards the kitchen.

At precisely 7:30 p.m. Alexis was walking into the restaurant. 

“Good evening Alexis, your regular table?” Freddy, the maitre’d asked.

Alexis smiled.  “No, not tonight.”

“Ooh! A hot date?” Freddy teased just as he normally did.

Alexis blushed.  “Actually, yes.”

Freddy grinned.  “Who is the lucky guy?”

Alexis blushed more.  “Umm…well…I’m not sure if he’s here yet…he’s typically late…but…”

Freddy’s eyes widened and he grinned more if it were possible.  “Alexis Moretti…are you here on date with that Fine Ass Daddy of a man from *NSYNC?”

Alexis laughed.  “Fine Ass Daddy?!”

Freddy grinned.  “Oh honey, that man is FINE!”

Alexis could only giggle more and shake her head.  “Well, I will give you that, and yes, I am.”

“C’mon, I’ll show you to the table.”

JC was on time, she was impressed.  He stood as she approached giving her the opportunity to look him over.  He was wearing tennis shoes on his feet, Nike’s she suspected, a pair of dark wash jeans and a white button down that had the top two buttons undone exposing his neck and just a hint of his chest.  Around his neck was a Leo pendant on a black chord.  She’d seen it at least a thousand times.  His brown hair was curlier than normal, meaning he’d probably just washed it and his blue eyes were smoldering back at her.

“FUCK! I’m in trouble!” Alexis muttered to herself.

Meanwhile, JC was also taking the opportunity to examine her from a distance.  She was gorgeous!  He couldn’t explain why, but he found himself completely mesmerized by her but at the same time haunted.  It was making him crazy.  She was making him crazy. 

“SHIT! I’m in trouble!” He whispered to himself.

Once at the table, Freddy, the maitre’d turned to Alexis and smiled.  “Should I put in a Mucho Margarita for you?”

Alexis giggled.  “You know me too well, yes please.”

“Frozen or On the Rocks?”

“On the Rocks.”

Freddy turned to JC next.  “What about you?”

“A Mucho Margarita On the Rocks sounds great.”

Freddy grinned then winked at Alexis.  “Got it.”

It wasn’t until they were both seated that either of them took the opportunity to speak.

“I take it you come here often?” JC asked smiling.

Alexis giggled slightly.  “My sister and I have been known to come here on occasion.”

He chuckled and Alexis felt chills race down her spine.  This was going to get interesting quickly.

“Well then, it must be good.”

Alexis nodded and tried to calm her nerves.  When they were younger, back when he was dating April, she’d never been nervous around him.  This was different.  Everything about this time felt different.  It had from day one.  However, she had to wonder if that feeling would change once he knew the truth.

“It is…I mean if you like Mexican food.”

“Who said I didn’t like Mexican food?”

That smile! Why did he have to be so damn cute with that smile? Why couldn’t she hate him and just be done with it? 

Alexis giggled nervously.  “No one…I just know you prefer Chinese food.”

JC grinned playfully.  “You just know? How?”

“My sister…she’s a big *NSYNC fan.”

At least it wasn’t a complete lie.

“Which sister?” JC asked curiously.

Alexis smirked a bit.  “Which one do you think?”

He’d struck a nerve.  It was time to take a different approach.

JC smiled softly and nodded.  “Gotcha.  Well, yes, I do prefer Chinese food but there is nothing wrong with mixing it up a bit.  Especially, for a gorgeous woman.”

Alexis laughed.  “You really are a flirt!”

“And that’s a bad thing?” JC teased.

Just then the drinks arrived.  Alexis reached for her drink quickly and took a LONG sip. 

Once the waiter took their food order and walked away the conversation continued.

“Where were we?” Alexis asked.

“You were telling me what a horrible flirt I am.” JC said grinning.

“Horrible?! Did I say you were “horrible?!” I don’t remember saying that.”

JC bit his bottom lip and grinned before taking a sip of his own drink.

“So, you don’t think I am horrible?”

Alexis giggled and shook her head.  “No. I don’t.  What gave you that impression?”

JC got a bit more serious.  “Just a vibe I got from you…when we first met…you seemed kind of…”

Alexis raised an eyebrow.  Truthfully, she could only imagine what JC’s impression of her was when they’d first started working together.  It probably wasn’t a good one.

“Bitchy?!” Alexis finished.

JC laughed. It was a deep laugh, from his diaphragm and one she hadn’t heard from him in a really long time.

“No! Not Bitchy.  I would never say that about you! More stand-offish, guarded, I guess.”

Alexis nodded and cracked a smile.  “I can accept that.”

“Care to explain why?”

Alexis grabbed her drink again.  This conversation was headed in a direction she wasn’t at all ready for.

“Why what?”

JC smiled at her.  It was a reassuring smile.  One she hadn’t expected.

“Why you seem so guarded?”

“It’s complicated.”

JC grinned.  “So uncomplicate it.  I’m not going anywhere.”

Alexis took yet another sip from her drink.  The liquid in her glass was disappearing quickly and JC couldn’t help but notice.  She was nervous.  But, why?

“Is it because of that guy?” JC continued.

“What guy?”

“The guy your song is about.  The one that was dating your sister.”

Thank GOD for the waiter.  He appeared just then to deliver the food. 

“Would you like another margarita?” the waiter asked looking to Alexis.

“Yes please!”

“What about you sir?”

JC nodded.  “Sure.”

The conversation paused briefly while they ate but JC wasn’t about to let it go.  He was beginning to get the impression that there was something she wasn’t telling him and he wanted to know what it was. 

“What exactly did this guy do to you?” JC asked curiously.

The plates had been cleared away.  It was just the two of them, and the drinks.

Alexis looked up at JC in surprise.  There was concern in his eyes. 

“He left.” She whispered.

JC’s eyes widened a bit.  The pain in her expression was undeniable.  Then, realization set in.

“Oh?!  You were in love with him, weren’t you?” JC whispered back.

Alexis could only nod her reply.  It was the first time she’d admitted it to anyone, including herself.

“Are you ready to get out of here?” JC blurted out.

He wasn’t ready for the night to end but he also didn’t think either of them needed any more Margaritas, particularly her. 

Alexis nodded again but didn’t speak.

Within moments the check was taken care of and they were standing outside the restaurant together.

“Can I give you a ride home?  I feel like maybe you shouldn’t drive.” JC said sincerely.

“Neither should you.  Those margaritas are stronger than you think.”

JC chuckled a bit and nodded.  “Fair enough.  Want to share an Uber?”

“Sure.” Alexis replied.

Truth be told, she was feeling a bit dizzy and it wasn’t just because of the alcohol.  Driving in her current emotional, mental and physical state probably wasn’t the best idea.

The Uber that arrived was fairly small so they had to sit close in the back but JC wasn’t complaining.  The more he got to know her, the more he wanted to know.  There was something about her that was drawing him in but she was holding back and he couldn’t figure out why.

The drive to Alexis’s condo was quick.  Quicker than JC had expected and now he found himself trying to grasp at the few moments he had left with her.

“Let me walk you to the door?!” He whispered in her ear.

Shivers raced down her spine and her heartbeat started to quicken. This was not going to end well, she could feel it.

Alexis shook her head.  “That’s sweet, but not necessary.”

“Please?!” He whispered again.

Alexis nodded.  She knew how persistent he could be and she really didn’t want to drag this out any more than necessary.  Not to mention there were certain things about him that she was still beyond curious about.

As soon as she responded JC hopped out of the car and jogged around to the other side to open the door.  He helped her out of the car, taking her by the hand then leaned back in briefly to speak to the driver.

“If I’m not back in five minutes you’re free to go.  Don’t worry about the fare.  Keep it.”

He took her hand in his and for a moment she froze.  Alexis had never actually held his hand before.  Even when they were friends.  She was amazed at how strong, but yet soft his hands felt.  It felt good.  Really good!

He walked her to the door then turned to face her.  Under the soft glow of the porch light her eyes were sparkling.  He licked his lips and fought the urge to kiss her as she fumbled with her keys in the door.

“May I see you again?” JC asked quietly.

Alexis swallowed hard.

“I’m sure we will see each other around.” Alexis managed to reply.

JC chuckled a bit and shook his head.

“Let me try that a different way, Danielle, may I take you out again?”

Alexis shook her head and forced herself to speak.  She wanted to say “yes” more than she was willing to admit but her heart was holding her back.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea.”

The door was open now.  She stepped just inside and he followed. 

“Danielle…” He started his lips hovering over hers.

Alexis wanted to kiss him.  She wanted it so badly.  She wanted to know what his lips felt like but in the end her brain won out.

“Alexis.” She replied.

JC pulled back a bit, looking at her confused.

“Huh?”

Alexis sighed and took a step back.  “My name is Alexis…Alexis Danielle Moretti.”

He still wasn’t getting it.  She could see the confusion in his eyes.

“You used to call me Lexi.” She whispered.

JC’s eyes widened.  He pulled away and took a step back as his memories started to overwhelm him.

It all made sense now.  The way she acted around him. The way it always seemed as if she was holding back.

A mixture of anger and pain flickered across his face.  “You’ve been lying to me…this whole time?!”

“I never lied to you Josh…”

His eyes darkened.  “Oh really?!”

“Will you let me explain?”

“Explain what?  How you lied to me? How you let me believe you were someone else?” He snapped.

As soon as the words left his lips the floodgates that had been holding back her emotions collapsed.

“We’ve been working together for weeks!  Are you really that thick?  You really had no clue?” Alexis shot back.

“Are you calling me stupid?” He growled.

Alexis laughed, but it wasn’t a nice laugh. 

“No Josh!  I would NEVER call you stupid! You’re anything but.  What you are is…a COWARD!  You were the one that left.  You were the one who walked away!”

In the next moment Michelle appeared.  JC looked from Alexis to the younger woman now standing between them.  Realization hit him like a Mack truck.

"Chelle?” He asked, his eyes wide.

Michelle smirked a bit and waved meekly.  “Hi Josh.”

Gone was the little 14 year old girl he remembered. In her place was this beautiful younger version of the equally beautiful woman now standing in front of him.

“FUCK!” He mumbled as he rubbed the back of his neck.

“Sit down!” Michelle snapped.

“I should go…” JC started.

Michelle shook her head.  Her eyes were on fire and she was looking directly at him.

“SIT DOWN Josh!”

He sat down on one end of the couch while Alexis sat down at the other.

Michelle looked to her sister first.

“I told you! I told you this would end badly! I told you that you should be honest but I’m the little sister, what do I know?”

Then she looked at JC.  The look in her eyes as she looked at him scared him a bit. 

“I know that the past eight years of my life has been agony!  I know that for the past eight years I’ve been living in a war zone, torn between my two sisters who can’t even stand to be in the same room together much less speak to one another.”

JC opened his mouth to speak but Michelle cut him off.

“You have no idea Josh.  You have no clue what it’s been like.  That day…the day you left.  The day you walked out and never came back I sat in the stairwell and listened as my two sisters SCREAMED at each other for the next three hours!  When the screaming stopped so did the talking.  They only speak to each other when absolutely necessary.”

JC looked to Alexis briefly.  He could tell she was trying not to cry in front of him.

“*NSYNC may be five letters but in the Moretti house it’s a four-letter word!  Anything to do with you was banned in our house because the SECOND someone said your name it started all over again!”

“Chelle…I…”

Michelle shook her head.  “Nope! I’m not sure you get to call me that anymore…you have to earn that one back.  You didn’t just leave April that day…you left all three of us.  You were like a big brother to me and you just left…you just walked away…”

Then Michelle turned on Alexis again.

“And you…yeah you lied to him.  You lied about who you were.  You lied about knowing him but he’s not the only one you’ve been lying to and you know it!  You’ve been lying to yourself and everyone else about how you feel for the past eight years.  Maybe even longer than that.”

Alexis didn’t speak.  She just sat there staring at the floor.

A few quiet awkward moments passed.  Everyone was deep in their thoughts.  Finally, Michelle spoke again.

“Did you drive the two of you here?” Michelle asked looking to JC.

JC shook his head.  “We took an Uber.  My car is back at the restaurant.”

Michelle nodded. “You can sleep on the couch.  I’m not letting you drive yourself home right now.  I will NOT be responsible for the demise of 1/5 of *NSYNC.  Not now that we FINALLY have you all back together.”

“Fine.” JC mumbled.

He didn’t have the energy to argue.  Not after this.

Michelle then looked at her sister. 

“You can go to bed now, and that’s not a suggestion.  Go to bed!”

Alexis nodded, pulled herself up from the couch and started down the hall.

It was going to be a LONG night!

JC awoke the next morning to the sound movement in the kitchen.  He opened his eyes and groaned quietly.  The moment he opened his eyes the events of the previous evening came flooding back.  Danielle, the girl he’d been working with and trying to get to know personally for weeks was actually his former best friend; Lexi.  Her younger sister, the *NSYNC fan was actually Michelle, the girl he’d loved like a little sister.  And then there was their sister; April, the girl that had shattered his heart into a thousand pieces.  The girl that had broken his ability to care for any other girl on that level.  Where was she?

JC sat up and stretched a bit as he allowed his eyes to focus.  He looked over the back of the couch and there in the kitchen was Michelle.  Her back was turned but he could tell it was her.  Her hair was just a bit darker than Lexi’s. 

Sighing to himself, JC got up and walked towards the counter.  Michelle could sense his presence immediately.

“Sit down.  Do you want some coffee?” Michelle asked with her back still turned.

He cracked a tiny smile.  “Coffee would be great.  Just don’t spit in it, please?”

Michelle spun around and smirked at him a bit.  “I think you have me mistaken for the wrong Moretti.”

“Do I? That’s not the way it sounded last night.”

Michelle busied herself with his cup of coffee as she spoke.  “None of us hate you, if that’s what you’re thinking.”

“Could have fooled me.”

Michelle sighed.  “It was never like that.  That’s why it was so hard.  That’s why it hurt so much.  I was mad at you for leaving, but I never hated you.  If anything, it was the other way around.”

JC’s jaw dropped.  “Chelle…”

Michelle gave him a stern look.

JC cleared his throat then tried again.  “Michelle, I NEVER hated you.  You were just a kid.”

“That’s not how it felt.”

“And her?” He asked nodding to the hallway.

Michelle had to fight not to laugh.  “She doesn’t hate you either.  Again, that was the problem, none of us hated you, but you decided to leave all three of us…because of one.”

JC swallowed hard and forced the words past his lips.  “Where is April?”

“New York.  She’s a clothing designer.”

“Huh!  Not what I expected.” JC chuckled.

“What exactly did you expect?” Michelle smirked.

JC shook his head.  “I don’t know.  Not that.”

He paused for a moment then met Michelle’s gaze.

“Then again, I didn’t expect I would end up producing Lexi’s album.”

Michelle snorted.  “Neither did she.  She was actually against it at first.”

JC chuckled a bit.  “Oh, I’ll bet.”

There was a pause as JC struggled to collect his thoughts.

“Are you really an *NSYNC fan?” JC asked.

Michelle blushed.  “Since the day you left.”

“Were we really banned by your parents?” JC asked curiously.

“Yup!  See…there was this Special…on the Disney channel.  I was watching it…then April and Alexis walked in…it wasn’t pretty!”

JC sighed.  “I’m sorry…”

Michelle shook her head fervently.  “I’m not the one you need to apologize to…”

JC shook his head back at her and smiled.  “It sounds like I do.”

“One Moretti at a time.” Michelle replied quietly.

“Isn’t that what’s happening here?” JC teased.

Michelle grinned.  “Hmm.  We’ll see about that.”

It was then that JC noticed the time on the microwave behind her.

“Is that really the time?”

Michelle nodded.

“SHIT! I gotta go!  I’m gonna be late.”

“For?” Michelle asked her eyes smiling.

JC laughed.  “I’ll tell you later.”

“Later?” Michelle asked raising an eyebrow.

“Yeah.  When we have lunch together.”

“Me? Have lunch with you? Again, I think you have the wrong Moretti.”

JC winked. “One Moretti at a time, right?”

Then he got more serious.  He nodded to the hallway and cracked a sad smile.

“Besides…I don’t think she’s ready for that quite yet.”

Michelle smirked.  “I think you underestimate her just a bit.”

“Obviously!” JC chuckled nervously.

Michelle scribbled her number onto a blank shopping list and pushed the paper towards JC.

“Don’t make me regret this.” Michelle warned.

“I won’t.  Not this time Chelle.” He said standing to leave.

“You haven’t earned that back yet!” She called after him.

“Yet?!” JC laughed.

****

An hour later the other four members of *NSYNC sat in Justin’s LA home waiting for JC to arrive.  They were supposed to be recording but JC was late as usual.  Truthfully, JC was later than usual but LA traffic was crazy at this time of day.

They were chatting a bit, passing the time until JC arrived.  The TV was on in the background but none of them were paying it any attention.  That was until JC walked in.

“What’s that?” JC asked nodding to the screen.

“Hello to you too.” Justin smirked.

“Turn that up.” JC replied, his eyes wide.

Justin grabbed the remote then looked to the screen.  On the screen in front of him was a very beautiful girl in a white dress and combat boots.  He looked to the screen then to JC.  JC looked like he was going to be sick. 

Immediately Justin turned up the volume so they could all listen.

Her voice was chilling, haunting even.

They were all dumbfounded.

You’re gonna catch a cold

From the ice inside your soul

So don’t come back for me

Who do you think you are?

It was then that the JC look alike appeared on the screen.  He looked EXACTLY like JC circa 1998 all the way down to the haircut and jacket and the Leo pendant around his neck.

JC sucked in a breath.  It all made sense now.  The guy, the one her song was about.  The one that had left her.  The one that had broken her heart.  It was him!  That first day in the studio, the day he felt she was singing the song to him.  It was because she had been! 

JC sank down onto the couch and began to rub his neck.

“HOLY FUCK!” JC breathed out.

“Isn’t that the girl you were producing for?” Justin asked.

JC simply nodded.

“Ok, so then why does the guy in the video look like you?” Joey chimed in.

JC looked up at his friends and sighed heavily.  “Because it IS me.”

“Ok, wait?! What?! I’m confused.” Lance added.

JC sighed again and shook his head.  He still couldn’t believe any of this was happening.

“That is Alexis Danielle Moretti…but some call her Lexi…”

Justin’s eyes went wide as saucers.  He was the first to catch on but the others quickly followed.

“Wait?! That’s Lexi? Your Lexi?” Justin managed to reply.

JC nodded sadly.  Then continued to explain.

“Do you guys remember that girl named April I was dating?  The girl I broke up with right before we filmed the Disney special.”

“The one you were in love with.  The one that cheated on you…several times, while we were in Europe.” Chris answered.

“Yup. That’s the one.” JC groaned.

“What does she have to do with this?” Lance asked.

JC laughed and shook his head. “Lexi is her sister.  Twin sister to be specific.”

“Identical?” Joey asked snorting.

“GOD NO!” JC shot back.

Justin’s eyes narrowed.  Of the four other men in the room, he’d known JC longest so this came as a bit of a shock.

“Ok, wait.  You never told anyone they were sisters.  What, you conveniently forgot that part?” Justin snapped.

JC didn’t know how to respond.

“I didn’t think it was relevant at the time.”

“Really?! Your best friend outside of the group and the girl that broke your heart are sisters, NO…TWINS…and you didn’t think that was relevant?!  I love you man…but GOD …you are an ASS!” Justin smirked.

Lance looked at the screen.  It was frozen on the girl’s face.  Justin had apparently hit pause.  The look in her eyes said it all.

“Lexi was in love with you, wasn’t she?” Lance asked, smiling and shaking his head.

“Apparently.” JC mumbled.

“And you had no idea?” Joey chuckled.

“Nope. Not until just now.” JC sighed.

“You’re an idiot.” Chris muttered.

“Yup! Got that! Thanks.”

“So, when did you figure out that “Danielle,” the artist you were producing, and Lexi were the same person?” Justin smirked.

“Last night, when I took her out.”

“You took her out, on a date?” Joey busted up laughing.

“It gets worse.” JC moaned.

Joey laughed more.  “How? Please tell me how this possibly gets any worse?”

“Her sister was there.”

“April?!” Justin exclaimed, his jaw dropping.

“No! Michelle.”

“There’s another one?! Jesus JC!” Chris snickered.

“Triplets?!” Joey teased.

JC shook his head.  “No! No, Michelle is younger.  She was like a little sister to me and apparently, she is a big *NSYNC fan but any mention of me or “US” was forbidden in the house after I left.  April and Alexis have barely said more than a few words to each other in the eight years since.”

“Wow! So, you really are an ASSHOLE.” Chris teased.

“I certainly feel like one.” JC sighed.

“What are you going to do now?” Justin asked seriously.

They all gave him shit, but JC was their “brother” so if he was hurting, they wanted to help. 

“I don’t know.  I asked Michelle to have lunch with me.  Apparently, my leaving hurt her too.  One Moretti at a time, that’s what I told her.”

Chapter 1-9 pt.5 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

Alexis woke up late that next day.  JC was already gone by the time she stumbled out into the living room/kitchen area.

“Where is Josh?” Alexis asked her sister’s backside.

“He had to go…said he was late for something.” Michelle answered, her back still turned.

“Figures.” Alexis grumbled.

“I think you need to cut him a little slack, you did just sort of drop a bombshell on him.”

“He’s had eight years of slack.” Alexis smirked.

“Regardless, he’s been working with you for weeks and had no clue…how he had no clue I don’t get, but that’s beside the point.  I think he still deserves some time to process.”

“It changes nothing.” Alexis snapped back.

“Keep telling yourself that.” Michelle countered.

***

Two days later Michelle was just getting home from class and grocery shopping when her phone dinged, notifying her that she had a text.

Unknown: Want to have lunch today?

Michelle: Sounds intriguing.  Who is this?

Unknown: The boyband member you love to hate

Michelle:  Funny…I don’t recall ever giving Brian Littrell my number

Unknown: Nice!  I’m not Littrell, promise.  It’s Josh

Michelle: Oh! Gotcha! Sure, I think I can handle lunch

Michelle quickly saved his number in her phone.  She had a feeling she’d need it again.

Josh: Pick you up at 1?

Michelle: Sure.  Sounds good.

Josh: Will Lexi be home?

Michelle shook her head and sighed.  She could see where this was headed even if the two of them didn’t.

Michelle: No.  She left early this morning.  Won’t be home until this evening.  I think she had an interview or a photo shoot today.

At 1:10 p.m. the doorbell rang.  Of course, Josh was late.  When wasn’t Josh late? 

Michelle looked down briefly at her appearance as she walked to the door.  Jeans and a long sleeved, dark blue, button down, V-neck top.  It wasn’t anything spectacular but it was good enough. 

The doorbell rang again as Michelle pulled the hair tie from her wrist and pulled her hair back in a loose pony tail.

“Good grief Josh!  Don’t your Calvins in a wad…I’m coming.” Michelle said flinging open the door.

As soon as she opened the door Michelle froze.  Standing next to Josh in the doorway were the other four members of *NSYNC.

“HOLY SHIT Josh! Is this you trying to win nickname privileges back with me?” Michelle asked as she shook her head in disbelief.

JC grinned.  “That depends?! Did it work?”

Michelle laughed.  “We’ll see…jury is still out.”

“Can’t blame the guy for trying.” Joey chimed in.

Michelle giggled then motioned to JC’s four companions.  “It was a valiant effort.  I’ll give you that.   Although, just so we’re clear…THIS…won’t work on Lexi…or April for that matter.”

“Not *NSYNC fans, we heard.” Lance said nodding.

Michelle smirked.  “I wouldn’t go that far…I actually think Alexis is coming around, but April, yeah, NO, not happening.”

“What about you?” Justin asked grinning.

Michelle placed a hand on her hip and smiled back at him.  “Josh brought you here, didn’t he?”

Justin chuckled. “He did.”

“Well then, I think you have your answer to that one.”

“I guess so.” Justin laughed.

“Wow! Attractive and smart! Could you maybe try rubbing some of that off on Josh?  He seems to be struggling a bit.” Michelle teased back.

JC balked at her meanwhile the other four were trying to stifle their laughter.

“I like this one!” Joey laughed nodding at Michelle.

“Me too! What do we have to do to keep you around?” Justin chuckled.

Michelle sobered a bit.  “I’m not the sister that needs convincing.”

JC sighed.  “C’mon…we can discuss THAT more at lunch.”

Once they were settled at the restaurant and the waiter had come to take their order the conversation started again.

“I’m guessing you saw the video?” Michelle asked bravely.

JC smiled a bit and nodded. “I did.”

“We all did.” Joey volunteered.

Michelle couldn’t help but shake her head and laugh a little at this revelation.

 

“And?” Michelle smirked.

“It’s about me, isn’t it?” JC sighed.

Michelle couldn’t help but laugh a little.  “Wow Josh! Maybe you’re smarter than I thought.  What was your first clue?”

JC gave her a look.  “Do you mean aside from the ME look alike in the video?”

Michelle softened just a bit.  “I actually don’t think she planned that initially.”

“Really?! Then how do you explain the Leo pendant?”

“Ok, so maybe she did.”

“Exactly!” JC shot back.

Michelle’s eyes narrowed and her green eyes started to smolder like Emeralds in the sun.  “Well…what the HELL did you expect Josh? You didn’t see me that day but I heard what you said to her.  She asked you to stay, to keep your friendship, and what did you say to her?”

JC sighed and dropped his head a bit.  He couldn’t bring himself to repeat what he’d said.  He’d regretted it from the moment he’d said it, but it was too late to take it back.

“You said it was “too hard.” That her eyes were the same. That you looked into her eyes and all you could see was April!” Michelle snapped.

“FUCK JC!” Justin whistled through his teeth.

Unfortunately, Michelle wasn’t done.

“My eyes are the same as theirs…do you see April when you look at me? Is that why you left me too?”

“I shouldn’t have said that.” JC whispered.

“Good answer.” Michelle smirked.

“I’m sorry…I really am Michelle.  I screwed up.  I knew that the second those words left my lips.”

Michelle nodded then forced herself to speak.

“Yes, our eyes are the same.  We all have our mother’s eyes.  And yes, April and Alexis are twins but the fundamental difference between them, the thing you were too blinded by rage to see was that April loved the idea of you whereas Alexis just loved you.”

“Call me crazy…I don’t know your sister…and maybe she’s just a really good actress…but…umm…based on that video…” Lance started.

Michelle nodded.  “I know what you’re going to say…and although she won’t admit it to herself or anyone else for that matter…you are absolutely right.  She still does.” 

Chapter 9

New York City

It was a rainy day in mid-July, but the rain and dark clouds were the perfect backdrop for her mood.  Truthfully, April should have been in her studio, but she just wasn’t feeling inspired today.  She’d been in a funk ever since she’d granted Alexis’s label permission to use her designs. 

She wasn’t upset about it.  In fact, she was more than happy to do it.  It made her feel more connected to her sister, like they could actually share something without fighting about it. 

April missed her sister.  She missed the connection they had when they were younger.  Sadly, April had managed to destroy all that with just a few simple words.  If she could take it all back now she would, but that time had long passed.

On this particular afternoon, April was curled up on the couch in her New York apartment with a cup of tea, staring out the window, completely lost in her thoughts.  The television was on, but only for background noise, that was until something on the screen caught her eye. 

Her eyes wide, April grabbed the remote from the arm of the chair and cranked up the volume.  On the screen in front of her was Alexis, in the dress April had created.  Alexis looked INCREDIBLE.  It was almost as if she’d created the dress with her sister in mind.  Which, on some level, was probably true. 

April watched, her jaw gaping as her twin sister poured her heart out through song on the screen.  April knew in an instant that this song came from a real place, a place that was without a doubt, filled with pain.

Then, the JC look alike appeared on the screen and April felt her breath catch in her throat. 

It took so long just to feel alright

Remember how to put back the light in my eyes

I wish I had missed the first time that we kissed

‘Cause you broke all your promises

And now you’re back

You don’t get to get me back

April’s hands had started to tremble causing the cup in her hand to fall to the ground and shatter, spilling tea all over the floor.  April didn’t move.  Her eyes were glued to the screen as the memories came flooding back like a tidal wave and the realization of what she was seeing hit her like a gale force wind.

“OH MY GOD!” April muttered to herself.

As soon as the video was over April snatched up her phone from the couch cushion beside her and quickly dialed the one person who would tell her the truth.

 

***

California

Michelle was just finishing up lunch with Josh and his groupmates when her phone started to ring from her purse.            She blushed as she struggled to retrieve the phone from the bottom as quickly as possible.  Her ringtone; Justin Timberlake’s “Sexy Back” which had just been released.

“Cute.  I’m flattered.” Justin chuckled.

Michelle smirked.  “Don’t be. I have many questions.”

They all chuckled at this. 

Then Michelle looked at her phone and her expression immediately changed. 

“Nope! Not right now!” Michelle said as she hit decline.

“You could have taken it.  We would have waited.” Lance said smiling.

Michelle snorted.  “Nope.  Trust me, Not a good idea right now.”

“Let me guess, your boyfriend isn’t an *NSYNC fan?” Joey teased.

Michelle laughed loudly.  “First, I’m actually single.  Second, any guy I dated would have to be ok with my *NSYNC addiction.  That’s a non-negotiable with me.”

“A woman who knows what she wants.  I can respect that.” Justin said grinning.

It was then that the phone started to ring a second time.  Michelle looked down at the phone, still in her hand and her eyes widened.  It was the same person from moments before.  She was being incredibly persistent, but why?

“You’re popular today.” Chris teased.

Michelle giggled.  “Not hardly.  Someone is just being annoyingly persistent.”

“Maybe you should take it then.” Lance said nodding to the phone.

Michelle sighed and nodded.  “I’ll make it quick.  I’m obviously not trying to be rude my first time meeting you.”

They all nodded as she hit accept call on the phone.

“Hey.” Michelle said into the phone.

“We NEED to talk!” April shot back immediately.

Michelle heard the desperation in her sister’s voice.  Something was up and she had a pretty good idea what it might be.

“Can you wait 20 minutes? I’m out at the moment.” Michelle replied calmly.

“Out?! With whom?! Alexis?!”

Michelle rolled her eyes and sighed.

“No, not with Alexis.  I’m just out, ok?!”

“With?”

Michelle was getting annoyed with her sister quickly.  Especially, given present company.   She was quite positive that Josh would LOSE HIS SHIT if he knew whom she was talking to.

“Does it matter?” Michelle grumbled.

“I don’t know, does it?  Geesh Michelle, why are you being so defensive?” April snapped back.

Michelle wanted to say something back but thought better of it.  This was not the time or place to get into a heated debate with her older sister.

“What is this about?” Michelle asked as she started to rub the bridge of her nose.

“I saw Alexis’s video…just now.” April blurted out.

Michelle had to fight not to choke as her eyes nearly bugged out of her head.  NO! Here and now was definitely not the right time or place to have THIS discussion.

“Oh?!” Michelle managed to reply.

“Exactly! We NEED to talk!”

Michelle nodded then forced a smile for her audience.

“Twenty minutes.  I’ll Face Time with you as soon as I get home, ok?”

“Ok.”

“Everything ok?” Josh asked sincerely,

Michelle sighed.  There was no sense lying to him.  Lying was part of what had brought them to this point.

Michelle looked up into his cool blue eyes, smiled sadly and shook her head. 

“I’ve always thought of you as big brother, Josh.  Always have, always will.  That hasn’t changed.  BUT...when you left…a war started in my house…a tug of war…and unfortunately, I’m the FUCKING rope!”

“That was April, wasn’t it?” JC asked.

Deep down he already knew the answer.

Michelle nodded. “Yup! She just saw Alexis’s music video.”

“Guess we better get you home.” He said, smiling weakly.

Twenty minutes later Michelle was settled in her room with her laptop in her lap.  She was sitting up on the bed, a pillow behind her back between her and the headboard and there was a glass of wine on the night stand beside her.  Yes, it was only 3 in the afternoon but it was 6 p.m. in NYC, and in her mind, that was good enough.

April appeared on the screen and instinctively Michelle went for her drink.

“I didn’t interrupt you out on a date, did I?” April asked forcing a smile.

Michelle laughed and took a sip from her drink.  “Not exactly, no.”

April made a face. “What does that mean?”

Michelle bit her lip and shook her head.  “I’ll tell you later…promise.  You called me so let’s talk about what’s going on with you first.”

“I saw Alexis’s music video.” April sighed.

Michelle nodded.  “Yeah, you said that.”

“That was supposed to be Josh…in the video, wasn’t it?”

Michelle bit her lip then took another long sip from her drink.  “She hasn’t confirmed it, but yeah, I think so.”

“I wonder if he’s seen it…” April wondered aloud.

Michelle bit her bottom lip hard to keep from giving herself away. 

“I’m gonna say there is a HIGH probability that he has.” Michelle said trying not to smile.

April looked at her sister curiously.  Yes, they were separated by a computer screen and a few thousand miles but something about Michelle’s expression told her Michelle was holding back.

“What aren’t you telling me?  You were weird on the phone earlier and now again.  What’s going on?”

Michelle giggled awkwardly.  This was going to get interesting.  She could tell.

“How much do you know about Alexis’s album?” Michelle asked.

April raised an eyebrow.  “Not much.  I ‘ve seen the video for the first single, obviously, and I know the album drops on Friday but aside from that, nothing really.”

“Then you haven’t heard who produced the album?”

April made a face.  “No.  I heard there were some issues with that, stuff that delayed the album a bit but I never heard who her label ended up with as far as a producer.”

Michelle sighed then took a breath.  There was no sense dragging it out.  April would hear about it eventually, but at least this way it would be from someone who knew her and cared about her.

“It was Josh.” Michelle blurted out.

“I’m sorry?!” April replied.

“The producer for Alexis’s album, it was Josh.” Michelle repeated.

“Josh?! As in my ex-boyfriend; Josh?! As in Josh, otherwise known as JC Chasez of *NSYNC?”

Michelle nodded. “Yup.  That would be him.”

April was dumbfounded.  Truth be told, she did not know how to respond to the information that had just been dropped on her.

“How? Why? Was that Alexis’s idea?”

Michelle snorted.  “No! It wasn’t Alexis’s idea.  She was actually against it at first.  As to the how and why, the label sought him out because he’s actually really good.”

“I’m surprised he agreed to it.”

Michelle choked on her wine a bit.  “Well, he didn’t exactly know who she was at first.”

April made a face.  “He didn’t know?! How did he not know who she was?”

Michelle laughed.  “Don’t ask me.  I’m sure he’s met a ton of girls over the past eight years, maybe he just forgot what she looked like.  And, well, we’ve all grown up a bit since then.”

April smirked and shook her head.  “Typical male.  Out of sight, out of mind.”

Michelle shook her head.  “Out of sight, yes, out of mind, I don’t think so.”

“What makes you say that?” April replied.

Michelle laughed.  “Have you ever listened to his solo album; Schizophrenic?”

April shook her head.  “No.”

Michelle giggled.  “You need to.  Both of you.”

April just nodded.  Apparently she’d missed a lot over the past eight years. 

“So, he knows now?”

Michelle smiled and nodded.  “He does.”

“How?” April asked bravely.

She wasn’t entirely sure she wanted the answer.

Michelle laughed. “Umm…well…the Reader’s Digest version goes something like…they finished the album, he asked her out, or rather he asked “Danielle” out then she told him the truth at the end of the date.”

“I bet that went over well.” April smirked.

“It could have gone a lot worse.” Michelle giggled.

“How do you know all of this?”

Michelle smiled.  “I was there…at least for some of it.”

“You’ve seen him?” April asked surprised.

Michelle cracked a smile and nodded but didn’t speak.

“And? How is he?”

Michelle shrugged.  “Shocked. Confused. Embarassed. Ashamed.  Still the same old Josh, just with a bit more hair.”

April giggled. “I’ve seen the hair.  I’m not a fan.”

It was then that April grew a bit more serious.  There was something else she needed to know.

“Lexi?  She’s in love with him, isn’t she? Or, she was?”

Michelle took another sip of wine and nodded.  “She won’t say it, but yeah, I think so.”

April sighed then dropped her head.  “GOD, I FUCKED UP!”

Michelle made a face.  “Sorry Sis, but yeah, you kinda did.”

Of the three of them, Michelle had always been the one to keep things real.  She didn’t mince words, she cut straight to the point, whether you wanted to hear it or not.

“I had NO idea! I really didn’t! If I had known...I don’t know why I didn’t see it then.”

Michelle laughed.  “You were too wrapped up in…well…yourself.”

“Gee, thanks!”

“Hey…just callin’ it like I see it.”

“Well, now what do I do?” April asked groaning.

“You’re asking me?”

“Yes. I am asking you.  You talk to her…and him apparently.”

“OH NO! This is between the three of you.  I’m not getting in the middle of this one.  You and Alexis have already put me in the middle WAY more than I want to be.” Michelle protested.

“Michelle?!” April pleaded.

“NO! NOPE! NO WAY!  I’ve said too much already.”

April sighed in resignation and nodded.  She knew Michelle was right.  She needed to fix this on her own.

“Is that where you were today…out with Josh?” April asked.

Michelle blushed instantly.  “Umm…”

April laughed.  “You were, weren’t you?”

Michelle nodded and giggled a bit.  “Yeah…but it wasn’t just the two of us, he brought his groupmates along.”

April’s eyes widened.  She knew that Michelle had been an *NSYNC fan for years so she could only imagine what that must have been like.

“*NSYNC?”

“No, the Backstreeet Boys! Yes, *NSYNC!”

“And, how was that?” April teased.

Michelle laughed a bit.  Just thinking about it was making her blush.

“Interesting.” Michelle managed to reply.

“Oh yeah?! That Joey Fatone, is he as hot in person as he is on TV?”

Michelle burst out laughing then stopped almost as suddenly.  Shock had settled in.

“Wait?! How do you know about Joey Fatone?” Michelle gasped.

April smirked then shot her sister a look.  “My ex-boyfriend is a member of a boyband with four other HOT guys and you think I didn’t keep tabs on that?”

“Obviously I was mistaken.” Michelle giggled.

April nodded then blushed slightly.  “And, well…you weren’t the only one with contraband in the house.”

Michelle could only shake her head.  Apparently there were things about April even she didn’t know.

“Joey? Not what I would have guessed!”

April laughed.  “Why is that?”

“Well, after Josh I just figured you’d probably steer clear of anything to do with him.  I figured if you went boyband you would go the Backstreet Boys route.”

April made a face.  “Gross! Eww! No!  What about you, what’s your flavor?”

Michelle laughed then bit her lip.  “Umm…”

It made April smile to see her younger sister like this.  It was very rare that Michelle ever got embarrassed or blushed.  It was sweet.

“Oh?! Wait?! You’re a JT girl, aren’t you?” April teased.

Michelle nodded.

“And? How was that?”

Michelle’s face was bright red.  “He’s REALLY HOT in person…and charming as FUCK!”

They chatted a bit longer, about mostly non-important stuff.  It felt normal.  It was a nice change for both girls.  However, as soon as the conversation ended April was left alone with her thoughts again. She had a lot to think about and a lot to do before she was ready to face Alexis or Josh.  First on the list, getting a copy of Josh’s solo album.

***

Two days later- Los Angeles, CA

The members of *NSYNC had gathered again at Justin’s house.  Currently, they were in his home studio working on their upcoming album.  It would be their first album in five years.  There was a lot of pressure but they were excited.  And, they were pulling out all the stops for this one.  All of the guys were contributing to the writing process, not just Justin and JC, but Justin and JC were producing the majority of the album with some help from Timbaland, the Neptunes and Richard Marx.

Currently they were working on a track entitled “If I Never See Your Face” but had decided to break for lunch.

It was JC’s turn to pick so they had ordered sushi from he and Justin’s favorite sushi spot.

“Have you talked to Alexis or Michelle?” Lance asked between bites of food.

JC shook his head.  “Not since lunch the other day.”

“I wonder how it went with April.” Joey added.

JC moaned.  “I don’t even want to think about that.”

Justin just shook his head as he looked to the other three men.  JC was currently, a HOT MESS!

“What about Lexi?  Have you talked to her?” Justin asked.

JC sighed and started to rub his neck as he normally did when he was stressed. 

“No.  I know I need to, but I feel like if I just show up at her place she’s gonna slam the door in my face.”

“Probably!” Joey snickered.

“You need to get her somewhere she can’t escape, somewhere neutral.” Chris chimed in.

JC nodded.  Chris made a good point.  However, figuring out a neutral location and getting her to agree to meet him there were two very separate issues.

“What about her album release party? She is having one, right?” Justin asked grinning.

JC nodded.

“Yeah.”

“Were you invited?” Joey asked catching on.

“DUH! I produced the album, of course, I was invited.” JC snapped.

“Who are you taking as your plus one?” Chris smirked.

They all knew his reputation for showing up to these events with “Arm Candy” but this was not the time for that, not if he had any hope of getting anywhere with Alexis.

“I was going to ask Justin to come with me.” JC answered seriously.

“No nameless babe.  I’m impressed.” Joey chuckled.

JC shot his friend a withering look. “I’m not that stupid!”

“Never said you were.” Joey said holding up his hands in surrender.

JC sighed.  He hadn’t meant to snap at his friend.  He knew the teasing came from a place of brotherhood and love.

“I’m sorry…this whole thing is just really messing with my head.”

All four men nodded knowingly.

“Oh we know.  That’s obvious man.  The question is, what are your intentions?” Lance asked seriously.

“What do you mean?”

All four men smiled. 

“I think what he means is…you know how Alexis feels about you, or at the very least, a good idea, but how do you feel about her?” Chris asked.

“I don’t know.”

Justin spoke up next.  This recording session was quickly becoming a group therapy session.  However, it wouldn’t be the first time and doubtfully the last either.

“Well…you were interested enough to ask Danielle out, is Lexi any different?”

“Yes. No. I don’t know.”

They all chuckled a bit at this. 

“Well, you might want to work on figuring it out.” Chris laughed.

“Tell me something I don’t know.” JC grumbled.

Justin looked to the others and gave them a knowing look.  The teasing was all in good fun but it was time to lay off a bit.  JC’s stress levels were not doing them any favors in terms of the album.  AND…he was their friend, and obviously struggling. 

“I’ll go with you to the release party, no sweat man, I got your back.” Justin said smiling.

“Thanks.” JC replied cracking a smile.

“NOW…about this song…” Justin said grinning.

It was time to get back to work but the conversation had inspired him a bit.

“What about it? I think it sounds good.” Joey said seriously.

Justin nodded. “It does…but I think it could sound FUCKING AWESOME!”

Four sets of eyebrows went up.  It was obvious that Justin had an idea, but what that idea might be they had no clue.

“Ok?!” Lance replied cautiously.

“It’s a good song and I like the way we’ve split up the vocals but I think it needs another layer.  Another perspective.” Justin said grinning like a fool.

“Ok, what did you have in mind?” JC asked.

He was intrigued.  Justin had a great ear and was great with layering and arranging vocals in a way that optimized the sound so if he had an idea it was worth hearing.

“I think this song needs a female touch.  I think a female vocal would make this track FIRE!” Justin replied.

“Hmm.  Never thought about it, but you might be onto something.  Did you have someone in mind?” Chris said nodding.

Justin shook his head.  “Not off the top of my head.  No.  However, I am open to discuss it.”

“Britney?” Joey half teased.

Justin shot Joey a look and shook his head.  “No.  Too predictable and she doesn’t have the right range or register for this.”

“Christina?” Chris chimed in.

“Too much power.  I love her to pieces but she’d take over the song.” Justin replied.

“Kelly Clarkson?” Lance added.

Justin smiled and shook his head.  “Again, love her to pieces but not for this.  We need someone more soulful, but subtle, and with a bit more of an edge to her voice.”

“I’m drawing a blank.” Joey sighed.

“Same.” Joey agreed.

“Alicia Keys?” JC suggested.

Justin nodded. “Maybe.  She’s definitely soulful, but I’m not sure she has enough of an edge.  I almost feel like we need someone a bit more off the radar, someone the fans won’t expect.”

“Ok, but who?” Lance replied.

“I don’t know.  I say let’s think on it.  We’ve got some time.  Let’s work on some of the other tracks for now and come back to it.”

“Agreed.” JC said nodding.

“Maybe if we mull it over for a few days an idea will come to one of us.” Lance agreed.

“Exactly my thoughts.” Justin said nodding.

 

 

Chapter 10 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

Chapter 10

The evening of the album release party had arrived.  Alexis was excited but also incredibly nervous.  There was a lot riding on the album, most importantly, her music career.  If this album didn’t do well she was done before she’d even had the chance to start. 

However, response to the first single; “Jar of Hearts” had been overwhelmingly positive.  The song had entered the top 100 at a surprising 55, and had already climbed to the top 40 in just a few short weeks.  Everyone at the label was pleased and optimistic.  It was a good feeling but Alexis couldn’t help but feel a little deflated.

She hadn’t spoken to Josh in over a week.  Not since their date.  Alexis knew he would be at the party.  In fact, she was certain of it, but beyond that, she was unsure.  There were so many things swirling around in her brain that she was starting to feel dizzy.  Would he bring a date? Would they speak to one another? What would she say? What would he say? 

The party was scheduled to begin at 8 p.m.  A limo was slated to arrive at the condo at 7:30.  Alexis and her date; Michelle would be riding with Kenny.  Now that the single had been released and her album was about to drop Kenny was officially on duty.  Truth be told, Alexis was grateful.  Now that the video was out she was starting to get recognized and if Michelle’s predictions were correct it was only going to get worse. 

At 7:25 the doorbell rang.  Alexis sucked in a breath.  This was it.  The moment she’d been dreaming of since she was a little girl.

“I got it.” Michelle called out from the front room

Moments later Michelle’s voice rang out again from the front of the house.

“Umm…Lexi…you might want to come here.”

Alexis took one more look at herself in the mirror, smoothed her dress a bit and started down the hall.

“Here goes nothing.” Alexis whispered to herself.

However, the sight that greeted her in the living room was like nothing she’d ever seen.  Michelle was standing at the door, trying to balance as she shut the door with her foot while at the same time juggling a HUGE bouquet of flowers.  Blue and Purple roses mixed with purple and white orchids.  They were GORGEOUS!

“Who are those for?” Alexis asked as she watched her sister struggle with the bouquet.

From behind the bouquet, Michelle gave her sister a dirty look. 

“I’m gonna take a wild guess and say you.” Michelle smirked.

“Did you look at the card?”

Michelle made another face.  “Does it look like I’ve had a chance to look at the card?”

Alexis giggled a bit and approached her sister.  “Let me help you.”

Alexis moved a stack of mail out of the way and helped Michelle place the large vase on the counter.  Then, with the bouquet safely in position, Alexis reached for the card and slowly pulled it from the envelope.

I remembered that Orchids were your favorite, and that you love the color purple. 

Don’t sweat it Pretty lady, the world is going to LOVE you

Josh

Alexis found herself blushing a bit, meanwhile Michelle had already snatched the card from her hand.  A smile tugged at Michelle’s lips as she read the words on the card.  Judging by the handwriting Michelle suspected that he’d filled out the card himself.  It was a move in the right direction, or at least Michelle thought it was.

However, neither girl had the opportunity to dwell on the topic for very long.  No sooner had Michelle placed the card back in the flowers than the doorbell rang again.

The two girls looked at each other, then, Alexis looked to the clock.  It was 7:30 on the dot. 

Michelle opened the door and there was Kenny standing on the other side.  He was dressed dapper, in a dark grey suit and a tie with a dark grey Fedora placed atop his head.

He grinned as he looked to the two women.  They were dressed to impress.

“DAMN!” Kenny whistled through his teeth.

Both girls blushed.  Then Kenny noticed the flowers.

“Someone has a Secret Admirer.” Kenny teased.

“Oh, he’s not a secret.” Michelle smirked.

Kenny’s eyebrow went up.  “Really? Care to explain.”

Michelle looked to Alexis.  Alexis hadn’t said a word since reading the card.  One thing was for certain, it was going to be a VERY INTERESTING night.

Michelle shook her head a bit then nodded to the car.  “C’mon. I’ll give you the Cliffnotes version once we are moving.”

Kenny nodded then offered each girl an arm and escorted them both to the waiting limousine.  Only once inside did anyone speak again.

“Ok, I realize I’m new to the Moretti Circle of Trust but I get the feeling this is something I might need to know…for professional reasons.” Kenny said seriously.

The look in Alexis’s eyes was sending warning bells off in his head and the fact that she hadn’t said a word yet wasn’t giving him a good feeling either.

“The flowers are from Josh.” Michelle explained.

“Josh?”

Michelle shook her head and rolled her eyes a bit.  “You might know him as JC Chasez.”

Kenny’s eyes widened a bit.  Then the conversation he’d witnessed between Alexis and Andrew registered in his brain.

“What is your beef with him?”

“I just don’t like him.”

“Why?”

“Mr. Chasez and I have history, ok?”

The details were finally falling into place. 

“Something happened there, didn’t it?” Kenny asked cautiously.

Michelle snorted and Alexis made a face.

“That’s putting it nicely.” Alexis smirked.

Michelle sighed.  He had a right to know, especially if he was going to be in charge of Alexis’s safety.

“Josh…JC…whatever you want to call him dated our sister…a long time ago.  They broke up because she cheated on him…” Michelle started to explain.

Kenny looked to Michelle then over at Alexis.  It didn’t take a degree in Rocket Science…or Criminal Justice to figure out the rest of this story.  It was all over Alexis’s face.

“I think I get the idea.” Kenny said forcing a smile.

Then, a second thought occurred to him and it was all he could to not laugh a little and shake his head. 

“The fact that professionally, you go by Danielle and not Alexis is because of him, isn’t it?” Kenny asked trying not to smile.

“No.” Alexis protested.

“Yes.” Michelle smirked at the same time.

Kenny chuckled. “Figured as much.”

“Could we not talk about this right now? I’m getting a headache.” Alexis grumbled.

Kenny nodded then shot Michelle a wink.  “I’ll leave it alone…for now.”

“Thank you.” Alexis huffed.

By the time they reached the party most of the guests had already arrived.  In truth, the party was more of a promotional event than an actual party.  The majority of the guests were label executives, investors and members of the press along with members of the album production crew, other artists from the label and a few friends and family sprinkled in. 

In fact, Michelle was the only one from the friends and family category at the party.  Alexis and Michelle’s parents had been invited but were unable to attend.  Both still had full time jobs and still lived in Orlando, and therefore had been unable to get away.  However, Alexis had chatted with them that afternoon and they were both happy and excited for her. It made her feel good that they supported her, even from far away.

The car pulled to a stop in front of the hotel where the party was being held.  It was a swanky, high class Hollywood hotel that Alexis couldn’t remember the name of.  All she could remember was that a night at this hotel was WAY beyond her pay grade.

As soon as the car stopped Kenny jumped out and jogged around to the other side to help the girls out.  Michelle stepped out first then Alexis.  Once both girls were out of the car Kenny offered each girl an arm and they started towards the door.

The party was in one of the ballrooms on the first floor and as they approached the ballroom door Alexis felt her breath catch in her throat.  There, just adjacent the door was a GIANT cardboard poster of the album cover.  It was her, dressed in the studded jeans and white top that her sister had created with a newsboy hat atop her perfectly curled hair.  Next to her photo was her name, in her swirly handwriting.

“DAMN! If I didn’t know any better I’d say that those clothes were made for you.” Michelle hissed.

Alexis nodded.

“I know, right?!”

Alexis stepped into the ballroom and it was as if time stood still.  Everyone stopped.  All eyes were on her but there was one pair of eyes that stood out amongst the crowd.  There, on the opposite side of the room, standing next to the bar was Josh.  Next to him, much to her surprise was not some pretty blonde, but a very bald, but still oddly attractive Justin Timberlake.

“Good GOD! That much sex appeal should be illegal!” Michelle squeaked, grabbing her sister by the arm.

“Agreed!” Alexis managed to reply.

Michelle looked at her sister then followed her gaze across the room.  Alexis was gaping at JC.  Michelle couldn’t help but grin.  He did look good!  He was dressed sharply in a dark blue suit with a lighter blue tie and his hair fell in perfect curly tendrils around his face.  He was also sporting a bit of a five o’clock shadow but it worked on him.

Across the room JC had just taken his glass from the bar when Alexis entered the room.  His eyes went wide as they met hers and immediately he brought the glass to his lips.

“SHIT!” He whispered before taking a long drink.

Alexis looked AMAZING.  Her long, dark hair was pulled up in messy curls on top of her head, with curly wisps framing her face and falling down the back of her neck.  She was wearing a deep green, silk dress with thin straps and a plunging neckline.  The dress wrapped around her waist, hugging her curves then stopped mid-thigh in soft ruffles that seemed to accentuate her femininity.  On her feet, a pair of jeweled, green Louboutin heels that seemed to make her legs look longer and more shapely. 

JC downed his drink quickly then set his glass down on the bar, raised his hands and started clapping.

Soon, everyone in the room was clapping.  Alexis blushed then nodded to the crowd and flashed her best smile. 

“I think I need to start making the rounds.” Alexis managed to get out, her eyes still locked with his.

“I think I know where you should start.” Michelle teased.

Across the room, a waiter had just approached Justin and JC with a tray filled with glasses of champagne.  Justin snatched two glasses from the tray then looked to his friend.

“Just follow my lead.” Justin said grinning as he started walking towards the two women.

“What are you doing?” JC hissed as he quick stepped to catch up.

“Trust me on this, ok?” Justin smirked under his breath.

“You’re going to get me in trouble.” JC snapped quietly.

Justin chuckled then slowed his pace a bit.  “No.  You already did that all on your own.”

Justin and JC were just a few feet away when a very LARGE, very stern looking man stepped between them, blocking the two women from view.

Kenny looked down at the two men and had to fight a grin.  He knew who they were.  For one, he had two younger sisters who were both fans.  Secondly, he and Justin’s guard; Lonnie went way back.  He and Lonnie had been friends for years, but *NSYNC’s success had made it difficult for them to spend much time together in recent years.

For a moment, no one said a word.  Kenny was studying them carefully, trying to gauge their intentions and that was when he saw IT.  The Leo pendant peeking out from the top of JC’s collared shirt and tie.  Kenny’s eyes went wide.  Alexis was his responsibility so of course he’d seen the video.  It was part of his job.  He needed to know her inside and out. 

Realization hit Kenny like a Freight train.  He was the guy from the video.  He was whom the song was about.  He was the reason for ALL of this. 

Kenny’s protective side immediately took over.

“May I help you gentlemen?” Kenny asked.

“Umm…” JC stammered.

Kenny didn’t move but kept staring down at them with a gleam in his eye.

“I’m….” JC started again.

Kenny chuckled.  “Oh…I’m quite aware of who you are Mr. A.D.I.D.A.S boy ...you and Mr. Sexy Back over here.”

Behind Kenny, JC and Justin heard Michelle start to giggle.  Meanwhile, Alexis gave Michelle a questioning look.

“A.D.I.D.A.S boy?” Alexis mouthed quietly.

“I’ll explain later.” Michelle whispered back.

Normally, Justin might have been offended but he knew that this man was just trying to do his job and well, his comeback had been slightly amusing. 

Justin smiled a bit then looked up at the wall of muscle in front of him.

“Look…umm…Sir…we aren’t trying to cause a scene…we just wanted to bring the ladies a drink.  We understand it’s your job to protect her.” Justin said calmly.

Kenny laughed.  “Oh no! Not tonight! Tonight my job is to protect you from her.”

Justin chuckled and nodded, meanwhile JC had gone a bit pale.

“Understood.”

From behind him, Kenny felt a hand on his shoulder.

“It’s ok Kenny, I got this. You can stand down.  I assure you, he’s safe…for now.” Alexis said, trying not to giggle.

Michelle laughed a little then chimed in as well.  “Go get yourself a drink, I promise you, I’ve got the referee position on lock with these two.”

Kenny turned to Michelle and winked at her before speaking.  “You’re sure?  I’m more than happy to run pass interference on the play if needed.”

Michelle laughed. “I got this!  I know the signal if I need you.”

Kenny nodded then turned to walk away but not before getting off one more comment.

“Behave, please.”

“We will.” JC said swallowing hard.

Kenny chuckled.  “I wasn’t talking to you two.”

As soon as Kenny was out of hearing range, Justin and JC took a couple steps closer.  Justin handed off the two glasses of champagne then took a step back and smiled.

“You both look…WOW!” Justin said, his eyes falling on Michelle.

“Thanks.” Both girls managed to reply.

Finally, JC found his voice.

“He’s…umm…something…” JC said nodding to where Kenny was standing at the bar.

Alexis cracked a smile and nodded.  “This is his first “official” night on the job …he’s trying to set a precedent.”

“Mission accomplished.” JC chuckled awkwardly.

There was an awkward pause between them.  Neither knew what to say but Justin seized the opportunity quickly.

“Michelle…would you do me the honor of accompanying me to the bar? I seem to have left my drink there.” Justin said grinning.

Michelle smiled back at him.  Apparently, she and Justin were thinking similarly.  His timing was perfect.

“I’d love to.” Michelle answered.

Alexis grabbed her sister’s arm with her free hand and squeezed it lightly.

“Don’t leave me here!” Alexis hissed in Michelle’s ear.

“You’ll be fine.” Michelle whispered back.

In the next moment, Justin and Michelle were gone, leaving Alexis standing there staring back at Josh.

“Thank you for the flowers…they were beautiful!” Alexis managed to get out.

Silently, she was praying that he didn’t see the way her heart had started to pound in her chest.  There was something about him, standing there, dressed in a suit, looking down at her with those deep blue eyes that was making her warm and tingly.

Alexis couldn’t deny that she was attracted to him.  She always had been, even if he didn’t know it.

“So are you!” He replied, his lips curving into a gentle smile.

“Don’t do that.” Alexis whispered.

“Lexi…”

“Josh…please…”

“Lexi…we SHOULD talk…”

“About?”

JC sighed.  This was not going well. 

“You. Me. What happened.”

“You walked away, that’s what happened.  You said you couldn’t stand the sight of me, that I reminded you of her.  That’s what happened.” Alexis hissed.

“I shouldn’t have said that to you.  I was wrong.”

Alexis opened her mouth to speak but Andrew had appeared at her side.  He looked from JC to Alexis and back again.  He could feel the tension in the space between them.  Sexual tension? He couldn’t be sure.  Regardless, he had a job to do and so did Alexis.  Whatever was happening here would have to wait.

“Danielle…there you are…the band is all set…we’re ready for you.” Andrew said, placing a hand on her arm.

Alexis looked to Andrew and smiled, then looked back to JC and forced herself to speak.

“Excuse me Mr. Chasez…it was nice seeing you again.  Enjoy the party.” Alexis managed to reply.

In the next moment, she was gone leaving him standing alone in the middle of the ballroom.

Justin and Michelle returned moments later.

“How did it go?” Justin asked grinning.

“It didn’t.” JC sighed.

Michelle looked to her sister as she took the stage and shook her head.

“Josh…I know it’s been a while but you should know…we Moretti girls, we are a STUBBORN breed of women, and Alexis…well…the firstborn is always the worst.”

“Lexi is the oldest?” Justin asked in surprise.

Michelle nodded. “By 8 minutes and 21 seconds.”

On the stage, Alexis had stepped up to the microphone to address the crowd.  Her eyes landed on JC and she swallowed hard.  His blue eyes locked with hers and she instantly felt her knees wobble a bit.  There was no turning back now.

“Good evening…” Alexis started.

Everyone in the room quieted, then, turned their attention to the stage.  All eyes were on her but the only person she could see was JC.  It was un-nerving.

“Thank you all for coming.  This is something I’ve dreamed about since I was a little girl so thank you, all you, for your support.  Thank you to my manager, Adam, for always believing in me and fighting for me from day one.  Thank you to my sister, Michelle, for always being my rock but at the same time, my biggest fan.  I love you Nerd!”

Michelle giggled and nodded as the tears started to well in her eyes. She couldn’t have been more happy or proud of her sister than she was right then.

Alexis paused, then took a breath and looked again at JC. 

“And thank you to my producer, Mr. JC Chasez for bringing out the best in me…even if I was a bit “uptight” at first.”

JC cracked a tiny smile at this.  At least she didn’t hate him completely.

Once again, Alexis paused and took a breath.  She’d been rehearsing this moment for days but now that it was here, and he was standing there in front of her she wasn’t sure she could go through with it.  She needed to just do it before she lost her nerve, before she let her emotions get the better of her again.

“Now, I know everyone is expecting me to sing “Jar of Hearts” tonight, but I have a feeling you’re going to be hearing that one for a while, so instead, I thought I do a song that’s NOT on the album…but maybe on the next one…if I get that chance…”

JC immediately looked to Michelle.  Michelle could only shrug.  She had no idea what Alexis was doing, but she had a feeling it was going to be a game changer.

“I wrote this one a LONG time ago…for someone I used to know…you know who you are.” Alexis said, her eyes locked on JC again. 

Suddenly, the room had gotten very warm for JC.

This time, it was Kenny that looked to Michelle.  Michelle shook her head.  She really had no idea what was happening.

The band started to play and then the drums kicked in but when Alexis started to sing every jaw in the room dropped.

All the ways that you think you know me

All the limits that you figured out

Limits that you figured out

Had to learn to keep it all below me

Just to keep from being thrown around

Just to keep from being thrown around

Yeah

Every single time the wind blows

Every single time the wind blow

I see it in your face

In a cold night, there will be no fair fights

There will be no good night to turn and walk away

So burn with me fire, drown me with rain

I’m gonna wake up screaming your name

Yes, I am sinner, Yes, I’m a saint

Whatever happens here, whatever happens here

we remain

Meanwhile, next to JC, whose jaw was on the floor at the moment; Justin was scrambling to retrieve his phone from his suit pants pocket.  As discreetly as possible, Justin found the video button on his phone and hit record. 

Michelle noticed immediately.

“What are you doing Mr. Timberlake?” Michelle hissed under her breath.

“It’s Justin, Miss Moretti…and trust me.” He replied grinning.

JC stood frozen throughout the whole song.  He couldn’t tear his eyes away from her no matter how badly he wanted to.  She looked so beautiful up there, pouring her heart out, and in that moment, he realized he couldn’t walk away, not this time.  Not ever again.

When the song finished the room erupted in applause.  Alexis had blown everyone out of the water with her performance.  The cameras were flashing all around, but Alexis was still fixated on JC.

“You ok man?” Justin asked grinning.

The sound of Justin’s voice snapped JC back into reality but his eyes were still on Alexis.

“Umm…no…” JC stammered.

Michelle looked to the stage, caught her sister’s gaze momentarily then looked back to JC.  JC was definitely a goner.  That was evident.

“Umm…yeah…Josh…April may not be in love with you anymore…but I can tell you…without a doubt…Alexis still is.” Michelle giggled.

“Picked up on that, did you?” JC growled.

Michelle looked up at JC and fought with everything inside of her not to laugh.  His eyes were on fire, but he didn’t phase her one bit.

“Oh Josh…I know you’re always a little late to the party so allow me to catch you up to speed, you know, in case it hasn’t occurred to you yet…you’re in love with her too.”

JC’s eyes narrowed as he looked back at her.  “I’m not.”

Michelle laughed and patted his arm.  “Oh yes, yes you are, you’re just not ready to admit it to yourself yet.”

Michelle then quickly excused herself and went to find her sister leaving JC standing there with Justin. 

“That was…a surprise.” Michelle smirked as Alexis stepped down from the stage.

“It wasn’t for you.” Alexis said making a face.

“Yeah…I got that much.”

“Did he say anything?” Alexis asked.

As much as she didn’t want to admit it, he was getting to her, he had been since that first day in the studio.   Also, watching him react just then, to her singing was having an effect on her that Alexis wasn’t quite ready for. 

Michelle laughed.  “Umm…no…you pretty much rendered him incapable of speech with THAT!  Did you plan that?”

Alexis grinned evilly.  “Yes and No.”

Michelle threw her head back and laughed even more.  “Ok, NO! *NSYNC is FINALLY back together, you are NOT allowed to give him a heart attack.  I’m not down with *NSYN…it doesn’t work without him.”

For the next hour or so Alexis was busy with the other guests, giving face time to the investors and expressing her gratitude to label executives for supporting her and the album.  It was all part of the process and Alexis took it very seriously.  However, as much as she was trying to put on a good show, her head was not completely in the game. 

Her thoughts were on JC, and that’s where they’d been since she stepped into the party.

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity the schmoozing was over.  Alexis looked to the bar to see Michelle standing there with Justin and Kenny but Josh was nowhere to be seen.  She scanned the room quickly but didn’t see him.  Breathing a sigh of relief she slipped out of the ballroom unnoticed and made her way down the hall to the ladies’ room.

Alexis took the few moments of solitude to collect herself.  It had already been an emotionally charged evening and it wasn’t over yet.  She needed to get her wits about her or it was going to be a LONG night.

After a few minutes, Alexis felt ready to return to the party.  She opened the door and started down the long, somewhat darkened hallway towards the ballroom only to walk right into Josh.  His hands were strong as he gripped her arms to steady her and she felt a shock of electricity shoot through her as she looked up at him.  His blue eyes were on fire again.

“Lexi…”

“Josh…don’t…”

“No! Lexi please, just hear me out.  Then I promise; I’ll leave you alone…if that’s what you want.”

Alexis sighed then relaxed her shoulders a bit.  “I’m listening.”

“I’m an idiot!”

Alexis smirked.  “Go on.”

“I shouldn’t have said those things to you.  I should have never compared you to her.  You’re nothing like her. I realize that now.”

Alexis made a face but JC continued.  He needed to get this out while he had her attention.  He may not get another chance if he let her go now.

“I know…I should have seen it then but I couldn’t.  I was blinded by hurt, and I took it out on you, and that was wrong.”

Sighing sadly, he loosened his grip and took a step back.  When she didn’t run he kept going.

“I’m sorry Lex…I’m so sorry and I know “sorry” doesn’t fix what I did, but if you’ll let me, I’d like to at least TRY to make it up to you.  For all of it! For what I said, for walking away, for the last eight years.” JC said looking to the floor.

“I don’t know Josh…” Alexis whispered.

Taking a step closer JC reached out, placed a hand under her chin and lifted her gaze to meet his.  Her green eyes were brimming with tears and it nearly undid him.

“Look, I know…I have absolutely no right to ask you to forgive me.  I lost that right the day I walked out but I am asking, no, I’m begging you to PLEASE give me another chance.  Let me try to make this right…please.” JC said, but his lips were now hovering over hers.

“I’ll think about it.” Alexis replied, her voice wavering.

JC nodded then leaned in just a bit more so that his lips were now lightly touching hers. 

“Take all the time you need Pretty lady.  I’m not going anywhere…not this time.” He whispered against her.

Chapter 11 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

Chapter 11

The next morning Alexis woke up before her alarm.  She didn’t have anywhere to be, not until later that afternoon but she didn’t want to sleep the whole day away.  Smiling to herself, Alexis opened her eyes and looked up at the ceiling. 

The events of the previous evening were still fresh in her brain.  Actually, the events of the previous evening up until she met Josh in the hallway were still fresh in her brain.  The rest of the night after that had been mostly a blur. 

Shaking the thoughts from her head Alexis pushed the covers aside and swung her legs over the edge of the bed.  She stretched a bit then stood and started down the hall, readjusting her pajama pants as she walked.

Michelle was in the kitchen making breakfast.

“Good morning Sunshine.” Michelle teased, as she poured coffee for both of them.

Alexis smiled.  “You’re awfully cheery, even for you.  You must have had a good time at the party last night.”

Michelle bit her bottom lip and smiled back.  “It was fun.”

“Fun? Yeah, ok.  Is “fun” code for being giddy because you got to moon over Justin Timberlake all night long.” Alexis smirked.

Michelle let her jaw drop then pretended to be mad.  “I am NOT giddy, and I wasn’t “mooning!”

Alexis laughed.  “Keep telling yourself that.”

Michelle looked at her sister and grinned.  The teasing was all in good fun but in truth, it had been a LONG time since Alexis had been in this good of a mood.  Michelle was happy to see a bit of the sparkle back in her sister’s eyes.  It was long overdue.

“You are one to talk.  I’m surprised you even noticed since you were so busy making heart eyes at Josh all night.”

“Heart eyes?” Alexis replied.

Michelle laughed. “Yes, heart eyes.  Face it, you’ve got it BAD for him…you have since you were 18.”

“12.” Alexis shot back blushing.

Michelle smiled and shook her head.  “Exactly!”

Alexis took a sip of her coffee then sat down at the counter.  The events of the previous evening had started to replay in her brain again and she was still trying to make sense of it all.

“Last night…Kenny called Josh Mr. A.D.I.D.A.S boy, what does that mean?” Alexis blurted out.

Michelle laughed.  “You haven’t listened to his solo album yet, have you?”

Alexis shook her head.

Michelle could only grin.  “We need to fix that, like right now.”

Alexis made a face.  “Ok, why? What does it mean?”

“Think about it.”

Alexis sat quietly for a moment, thinking it over, but if she was supposed to have some realization it wasn’t coming to her.

“I don’t get it.” Alexis replied after several quiet moments.

Michelle grinned devilishly.  “A.D.I.D.A.S stands for All Day I Dream About Sex.”

Alexis nearly spit out her coffee.  “WHAT?! No, it doesn’t! Stop! Josh does NOT have a song about that.”

“Oh, but he does.  Sorry Sis, your man is a freak!”

“My man?  Josh is not my man?”

“Not yet.” Michelle smirked.

“We’ll see about that.”

“Yes, I imagine we will, and probably sooner rather than later.  What happened between you two last night anyway? One minute you were all moody and brooding like normal and the next there were stars coming out of your eyes.  Obviously, something happened.”

Alexis giggled as she brought her fingers to her lips, brushing them gently.  The tingle she felt when his lips touched hers was still there.  She could STILL feel it.

Michelle’s eyes went wide. 

“Lexi?! Did Josh kiss you last night?” Michelle squealed.

Alexis blushed immediately. 

“He did! Didn’t he?” Michelle continued giggling.

Alexis shook her head.  “No! Not exactly.”

“Then what exactly?”

Alexis blushed more.  It wasn’t like her to blush like this but that was just what Josh did to her.  She couldn’t help herself around him and that was part of her problem.

“He apologized.  He apologized for what he said and for comparing me to April.  He admitted that he shouldn’t have said it and that he wished he hadn’t.  He said that he understood that he had no right to ask me to forgive him but that he was begging for a second chance, a chance to make it all up to me.”

Michelle grinned.  “Well…that’s a start.  What did you say?”

Alexis smiled a bit and bit her lip.  “I said I needed to think about it.”

“And that’s when he kissed you?”

Alexis shook her head.  “He didn’t kiss me but I think he wanted to.  He got really close, so that our lips were just touching and then he said “Take all the time you need Pretty lady …I’m not going anywhere. Not this time.”

Michelle laughed.  “Typical male…relying on sex appeal to make a point. “

Alexis shook her head.  “No.  I think if that was all it was, he would have kissed me, but he held back.”

Michelle giggled then nodded.  “Good! I’m glad to see him using a bit of restraint for a change.”

Alexis made a face.  “What does that mean?”

Michelle poured more coffee and shook her head.  “As much as it kills me to say this …Josh…or JC I should say, has a reputation for being a bit of a player.”

Alexis nodded and brought her cup to her lips.  “Honestly, are you surprised by this? After what April did?”

Michelle sighed.  “No.  Not really, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t kill me to see him like that.  I know that’s not the real Josh, at least not the one I remember.”

For a few moments neither girl said a word.  They were both lost in their thoughts.  Then, Alexis looked to Michelle and grinned.

“So…Justin Timberlake?” Alexis teased.

“What about him?” Michelle giggled.

“You tell me.”

Michelle swatted at her sister and laughed.

“He’s…”

“Hot? Sexy? Talented? Charming?”

Michelle made a face.  “I thought you steered clear of all things *NSYNC or Josh adjacent.”

Alexis smirked.  “Oh, c’mon! You should know me better than that.  I’m not blind or deaf.  The guy has some serious talent! Even I can admit that!”

“Good to see you’re not completely void of taste.” Michelle teased.

Alexis laughed.  “Yeah…about that…how about you go get this Josh solo album you keep talking about.”

“Are you sure you’re ready?”

Alexis shook her head and blushed again.  “No, but I guess we will find out, won’t we?”

Seconds later Michelle returned to the kitchen/dining room area and placed the CD in the stereo underneath the TV then handed Alexis the Cd case.

Alexis looked down at the cover and her eyes went wide.  There was Josh, on the cover, in a straight jacket, his blue eyes smoldering. 

“Schizophrenic?” Alexis asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Oh, just wait!” Michelle snickered.

In the next moment music filled the room and as she listened Alexis felt her cheeks go warm and her heart start to pound.

Talkin’ to me all night long

When my song comes on

will you come out to play

To play

When you work your body

Shake it mami

Don’t hold back

‘cause I love to watch you play

By the time the song finished Alexis could barely contain her giggles.  In fact, she was laughing and blushing so hard that her face had turned beet red.

“What in the ever-loving FUCK was that?” Alexis laughed.

Michelle laughed.  “That was just one song.  I’m tellin’ you; the man has some serious FREAK in him.  Just look at the track listings.”

Carefully, Alexis turned the Cd case over in her hand and started to examine the back.  Immediately, she felt her pulse quicken as some of the track listings started to register in her brain.

Some Girls (Dance with Women)

100 Ways

Mercy

A.D.I.D.A.S

One Night Stand

“100 Ways? Do I even want to know what that’s about?” Alexis giggled awkwardly.

“You’re a smart girl, I think you can figure it out.” Michelle smirked.

“DAMN Josh! HORNY much?!”

Michelle burst out laughing at this.  She just couldn’t hold it in, seeing her sister, her older sister, react this way was just more than she could handle. 

“Oh YES!  I love him, I do, but the man has some serious issues!” Michelle giggled.

Alexis sobered for a moment and Michelle noticed quickly.  The conversation was about to get serious.

“I know what you’re thinking.” Michelle said smiling reassuringly.

“You do?” Alexis asked sighing.

Michelle nodded.  “I do.  You’re thinking you love Josh, but you’re not ready for “ladies’ man” JC.”

Alexis set her cup down and stared down into it. 

“I won’t settle for second place, not this time! I need to be number one with him or not at all.”

Michelle nodded.  “I think he knows that, or at least I hope he does.  He would be STUPID not to.”

Alexis gave her sister a look. “It wouldn’t be the first time he’s done something stupid.”

Michelle nodded again, then cracked a tiny smile. “I really don’t think he’s going to make the same mistake twice, not with you.”

“I certainly hope not.” Alexis sighed.

***

A few days later, across town, Justin had called the group together to discuss their forthcoming album.  Most of the tracks were a complete but there were a few that still needed some tweaking, including their first single, “If I Never See Your Face.”

“What’s up J?” Joey asked as he settled back on the leather couch.

“Yeah.  You said you had something big, what is it?” Chris chimed in.

Justin grinned then pulled his laptop out and motioned for his “brothers” to get close.

“I think I found our female vocal!” He said proudly.

“Really? Where?’ Lance asked, getting excited.

Justin grinned over at JC and winked.  JC’s eyes went wide.  Justin was up to something, he knew it.

“Just watch.” Justin said as he hit a few buttons on his computer.

Moments later an image appeared on the screen.  It was Alexis, at the album release party, standing on the stage, getting ready to belt out the song she’d all but dedicated to him directly.

“NO WAY! NO! HELL NO!” JC exclaimed.

Justin laughed.  “Why not?  She’s PERFECT!  She’s EVERYTHING we are looking for…off the radar a bit, soulful, she’s got an edge and girl can SING her face off!”

“She won’t do it.” JC smirked with satisfaction.

“How do you know, have you asked her?” Justin shot back.

“No, but I just know.  She doesn’t like *NSYNC and she HATES me.”

Justin laughed.  “Oh yeah, she TOTALLY hates you, that’s why she’s written not 1 but 2 songs about you.”

JC’s eyes darkened as he glared back at Justin.  “Cry Me a River?!”

Justin shot back an equally withering look.  “I don’t hate Britney.”

“Maybe not now, but you did then.”

The three other men in the room just looked at each other.  It was time for someone to intervene, before this got out of hand.  The pressure they all felt as a result of re-uniting was already stifling, they didn’t need drama within the group on top of it.

“Ok, ok…none of this is worth starting an argument.  How about we just take a second, breathe, and at least hear what this girl has to offer.” Lance said bravely.

“Fine.” JC grumbled.

Justin grinned wildly then clapped his hands together before hitting the button for play on his computer.  Then, just as she was about to start singing Justin cranked up the speakers on his computer as loud as they would go. 

One by one three jaws dropped as they watched Alexis pour her heart out on the screen.  Justin was right, the girl could definitely SING!

“DAMN!” Chris whistled when the song finished.

“Did you know she could sing?” Joey asked looking to JC.

JC smiled a bit and shook his head.  “Not like that!”

Lance chuckled a bit and nodded.  “Well, she’s good. REALLY GOOD, and I hate to say it buddy but…I think Justin is right.  I think she’s PERFECT for this!”

“Agreed.” Joey said nodding.

JC sighed then ran a hand through his hair in frustration.  “I know! I would be lying if I said I didn’t agree, she is PERFECT but I’m telling you guys…she won’t do it.  That …and …well…I’d also be lying if I said the idea of singing with her didn’t scare the SHIT out of me! I’m not sure I am ready for that.”

“Well, you wouldn’t be doing it alone.” Joey said grinning.

“I know…it’s just…” JC started.

“It’s just that you’re in love with her.” Justin smirked.

JC sighed a bit more heavily and then started to rub at the bridge of his nose.  He was still trying to sort out his feelings and this was NOT helping.

“No! Yes! I don’t know!  I think maybe I could be.”

All four men grinned and nodded.

“Then why not give this a shot? Who knows, maybe she’ll surprise you.” Lance replied.

JC half smiled.  “Do you mean more than she has already?”

***

Over the next few days JC had a LOT of time with his thoughts, most of them involving Alexis.  He knew that his apology at the party hadn’t fixed things between them.  Far from it.  There was still a LOT of work to be done on his part if he had any hope of truly fixing things with her.  He was feeling up to the challenge.  She was special! He’d known that since the day they met.  Unfortunately, the pain and anger he felt as a result of what April had done had caused him to lose sight of that.

It was time to start showing Alexis what he remembered.

Unknown: Hey Pretty lady, what are you up to today?

Alexis looked at her phone.  She didn’t recognize the unknown number on the phone but the “Pretty lady” reference gave her a clue as to whom it might be. 

Lexi: Umm…that depends.  Who is this?

JC smiled to himself.  He couldn’t help but smile when he thought of her, sitting somewhere in her condo, looking down at her phone, her brow furrowed with confusion. 

Unknown: You can’t tell?

Lexi: I have an idea

Unknown: Well, you always were smarter than me

Lexi: Flattery?! Ok, keep talking.

Unknown: How about I continue to flatter you over coffee?

Lexi: Coffee?

Unknown:  Yes, coffee.  You do still drink coffee, don’t you?

Alexis giggled.  She had to give him credit.  He was trying.

Lexi:  Sure Josh. I’ll meet you for coffee

Then, she saved his phone number into her phone, replacing the old one that she’d never had the courage to delete.

Josh: You figured it out.  I knew you would

Lexi: Like it was hard.  Just one question, how did you get my number?

Josh: Gee, I wonder

Lexi: Figures

Josh: I’ll text you the address.  Want to meet up in an hour?

Lexi: Ok.  I have to bring my shadow

JC chuckled. If Kenny was coming along it was bound to get interesting, but he understood the necessity of a bodyguard better than most.

Josh: It’s ok…I have to bring one too

An hour later Alexis was walking up to a Starbucks somewhere between her Condo and his house in Hollywood.  It was an exceptionally warm day in mid-July so she had dressed casually in a pair of hip huggers jeans and flowy peasant top that came off one shoulder.  Her long, dark hair was piled in a messy bun atop her head.  She felt comfortable.

Kenny was just a few steps behind her.  His plan was to remain inconspicuous, that was until he saw a familiar face sitting at a table just beyond where JC was seated outside the front of the store.

“Kenny, is that you man?” A voice boomed from beyond where Josh was sitting.

The equally large man stood from his spot and a HUGE, cheesy grin spread across his face as he approached.

“Lonnie! Man, long time, no see.  How have you been?”

The two men exchanged what Alexis referred to as “man hugs” while she and Josh stood there dumbfounded.

“You two know each other?” Alexis asked in shock as the two men pulled away from each other.

Kenny grinned. “Yeah…Lonnie and I go WAY back.  I thought I mentioned that.”

“Nope.” Alexis smirked.

“Must have slipped my mind.” Kenny teased.

“Mmm.  Must have.” Alexis shot back.

JC just smiled and shook his head, then placed a hand at her back.  Alexis stiffened immediately and JC cursed himself for causing the tension between them.

“C’mon Lex, let me buy you a cup of coffee.”

Silently, she nodded then allowed him to hold the door and guide her into the shop.  Once inside they stepped up to the counter.

“What can I get for you?” the Barista behind the counter asked.

JC smiled down at Alexis before turning to the Barista to order.

“One bold drip with room for cream and sugar and a Venti Peppermint white mocha, no curls, please?” JC asked politely.

Alexis stood there in shock.  She couldn’t believe that he’d remembered her drink order after all this time. 

“You remembered my drink order?’ Alexis asked, the shock evident in her voice.

JC smiled, and it was one of those smiles that made her feel warm and tingly all the way down to her toes.

“I remember everything about you Lexi.”

“Oh really?” She asked, trying not to smile.

“Mmm Hmm.” He replied.

“I’m not the same girl I was back then.” Alexis said as the Barista handed over the drinks.

JC cracked a smile.  “No. No you’re not, but I’m not the same guy either.”

“So, I’ve heard.” Alexis smirked.

They were settled outside at a table now, with Kenny and Lonnie seated just a few feet away chatting, but still keeping tabs on the situation.

“What have you heard?” JC asked chuckling.

“Stuff.” Alexis giggled.

“Oh yeah? From whom?”

He was still smiling at her and it was making it incredibly hard to focus on forming coherent sentences.

“Who do you think?”

JC laughed.  “I’m not sure Michelle is a reliable source.”

Alexis nodded and giggled a bit.  “That may be true.  She is a reporter.”

JC’s jaw dropped.  “Wait?! What?! Michelle is a reporter? When did that happen?”

Alexis smiled.  “Ok, so maybe she isn’t a reporter per se, but she is getting her Masters in Journalism.”

JC laughed a bit then shook his head.  “Well, she was always the overachiever in the family.”

Alexis nodded.  “I think she felt like she had to be just to keep up with April and I.”

There was a very long, awkward pause that followed.  Neither knew just what to say.  There was still so much that needed to be said and just as much that didn’t.

JC shifted in his chair then cleared his throat.  The silence between them was making him crazy and it was getting him absolutely nowhere.

“When did you get so good?” He asked.

“Excuse me?”

He bit his lip and Alexis blushed.

“Your voice is AMAZING Lex! I’ve never heard anything like it.”

“Thank you. You’re not so bad yourself.” Alexis replied as she felt her cheeks go warm.

He tilted his head a bit and looked at her.  He hadn’t expected a statement like that from her.

“When have you heard me sing?” He asked curiously.

Alexis giggled. “I told you, Michelle gave me a crash course in *NSYNC…and well…I might have heard your solo album recently too.”

JC’s eyes widened.  He wasn’t quite sure how to take that admission.  It definitely made him think about her in a way he hadn’t before.

“Oh?!”

Alexis blushed then gave him a look.  “I heard some of it…not all of it…but what I heard was…well…”

JC laughed, but it was low. It was the type of laugh that sent a cold sweat pulsing through her body and made the hair at the nape of her neck stand on end.

“We’re not kids anymore Lexi.” He said smiling back at her with a pair of bedroom eyes.

Alexis swallowed hard.  “No. No, we’re not.”

“Do you think of me that way?” He asked boldly.

The way he’d just blurted it out caught her off guard.  She didn’t know quite how to respond.  There had been a time when they told each other everything but she wasn’t back to that place, not yet.

“What way?”

He bit his lip suggestively and leaned back a bit in his chair. “You know what way.”

“Umm…”

JC chuckled, set his drink down on the table between them then leaned forward so that he was as close to her as possible without needing to crawl over the table.

“You do, don’t you?” He whispered.

If this was the JC that Michelle had told her about, she didn’t like him. 

“I’m not like that!” Alexis snapped, pushing her chair back with her feet.

JC reached out with both hands, placing them on her thighs, placing just enough pressure to hold her in place but not hurt her.

“I know you’re not Lexi!  You’re too good for that, but I am not going to sit here and lie to you and tell you that I haven’t thought of you that way.  I have!  I’ve thought about you that way several times since meeting you again.”

Alexis didn’t speak but the look in her eyes told him that she was listening.

He sighed then inched his chair closer, let go of her legs and took her hands in his.

“I know what you’ve probably heard.  I can only imagine, but I promise you, with you, it’s not like that.  I am not going to rush this.  I’m going to take my time.  I want to get to know you again…but Lexi…I want to get to know ALL of you.”

As much as she didn’t want to Alexis couldn’t help but smile.  Something in his eyes told her he was being sincere.

“Ask me out.” She said with a mischievous smile.

“What?” He asked confused.

“Ask me out on a date.”

“A date?” He replied grinning.

“Yes.  A date.  A real date!  You pick me up…at my place.  You take me out.  You pay.  You drive me home…and maybe…maybe…if you’re good…I’ll let you kiss me at the end of the night.”

JC grinned more then, leaned forward so their heads were touching.

“Lexi…will you go on a date with me?” He whispered.

“Yes, I’d love to go on a date with you Josh.”

“When?”

“Tomorrow?”

JC shook his head and sighed.  “Tomorrow is no good.  We have an interview and a photo shoot.  Friday?”

“Friday sounds perfect.” She replied quietly.

“Done!  But Lexi…I may not be able to wait until the end of the night to kiss you.”

Alexis giggled and the feel of her breath against his face, mixed with the sound of her laugh sent shockwaves through him.

“Play your cards right and I may kiss you first.”

“Is that a promise?”

“Guess you’ll just have to wait and see.” She teased.

Chapter 12 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

 

Chapter 12

Friday came quickly.  Then again, Alexis had been beyond busy.  Now that her album was out, she was doing a LOT of press to promote it.  Every day it was something; radio interviews, television interviews, photo shoots and the list went on.  She LOVED it, but it was also exhausting. 

Thank GOD for Kenny. He kept her focused and moving.  He also kept her caffeinated.  In other words, he was a KING. 

“Where to next?” Alexis asked as she slipped into the passenger seat of his SUV.

It was Friday afternoon and Alexis had just finished up with a radio interview, her 3rd of the day.

“Your place…you have a date to get ready for, right?” Kenny said diverting his attention from the road briefly.

Alexis blushed and nodded.

“I do, but I have no idea what Josh has planned so I don’t really know what to get ready for.” Alexis replied.

Just then her phone dinged.  It was a text notification.

Josh: Hey Pretty Lady

Alexis smiled and started to type her reply.

Lexi: Hey

Josh:  Can you be ready at 5?

Lexi: I think that’s doable.  Where are you taking me?

Josh: Hmm.  Now where is the fun in that?

Lexi: Did you forget? I don’t like surprises

Josh: You’ll like this one

His grin was a mile wide.  If he was being honest, he was excited about his date with Alexis.  It had been quite a while since he’d put this much effort into wooing a girl.

Meanwhile, Alexis could only shake her head.

Lexi: Can I at least get a hint? I don’t want to be overdressed

His instinct was to comment, however, he quickly thought better of it.  Alexis was different.

Josh: Dress casual…and wear shoes you’re comfortable walking in

Alexis giggled and shook her head.  She had no idea what Josh was planning but he was definitely planning something.  That much was certain.

At 5:00 p.m. JC arrived at Alexis and Michelle’s condo to pick up Alexis.  He was on time for once.

The doorbell rang and Michelle opened the door to find JC standing on the other side.  He was dressed in a long sleeved, dark grey t-shirt, dark wash button-fly jeans and a baseball cap.

“You look ridiculous.” Michelle giggled.

“Gee thanks.” JC said smirking.

“What’s the look you’re going for here? Sleazy trucker?”

JC couldn’t help but laugh a little and shake his head.  Leave it to Michelle to say exactly what was on her mind. 

“Harsh! That was harsh Michelle!”

Michelle grinned.  She wasn’t done.

“Really, lose the hat.  You look silly.” Michelle giggled.

JC rolled his eyes a bit.  “It’s so I blend in…where I am taking Lexi is kinda public…and well…”

Michelle snorted.  “Oh Josh…I don’t know what’s more adorable…the fact that you think that hat is going to help OR the fact you think blending in is even a possibility.”

“Is it really that bad?” JC asked chuckling a bit.

Michelle nodded. “It’s pretty bad.”

He grinned then removed the hat and placed it on Michelle’s head.

“Eww! No!  I don’t even want to know where your sweaty head has been? Michelle squealed as she snatched the hat from her head.

JC made a face which made Michelle laugh more.

“Is Lexi ready?” He asked as half laughing, half smirking at her.

Michelle smiled. “C’mon in, I’ll go find out.”

JC stepped into the condo and took the opportunity to look around while Michelle went to get Alexis.  The condo wasn’t super big, but still seemed spacious.   Wood floors, granite counter tops.  A breakfast bar and open dining room/living room area.  He looked to the couch, and couldn’t help but smile just a bit as he remembered the night he’d spent on it.  Never, in his wildest dreams would he ever imagined this is where he would be after that night.

Not knowing what else to do JC shoved his hands in his pockets as he stood in the entryway.

Moments later Alexis walked into the room.  Immediately, JC sucked in a breath quietly.  Her dark hair fell in soft curls around her face and down around her shoulders.  She was dressed in a pair of skinny jeans that were intentionally distressed and torn down her legs.  Her top was a black, ruched and came off her shoulders then stopped just above her naval, exposing just a bit of skin at her waist.  On her feet, a pair of black and white Addidas sneakers.

“DAMN Mami!” JC said biting his lip suggestively.

Alexis snorted.  Meanwhile, Michelle had to fight not to roll her eyes and burst out laughing.

“Does that actually work on girls?” Alexis smirked.

JC didn’t know how to respond.

“Umm…”

Alexis could only shake her head and giggle.  “Well…just for the record…it doesn’t work on me.”

JC nodded.  “Got it.”

“Are you ready?” Alexis asked looking him over.

How he made casual look that good, she had no idea.  He oozed sex appeal.  Unfortunately, he knew it.

“Just waiting on you.” JC said smiling.

“What do I need to bring?” Alexis asked as she tried to remain calm.

She was not at all immune to the way he was looking at her.  For as long as she could remember she’d wished that he’d look that way at her.  Now that he was, she didn’t know how to react.  Not to mention the fact that she was still trying to convince herself it was real.

“Just you.  I’ve got this.” JC said smiling.

Smiling awkwardly Alexis grabbed her ID and a $20 from her wallet and retrieved her phone from her purse.  He said he had it covered but she wanted to be prepared just in case.

Alexis and JC were almost to the car when Michelle called out from the doorway.

“Hey Lex…remember the four things.” Michelle said laughing.

Alexis’s face paled momentarily but she quickly recovered.

“Have a good night Michelle.  Don’t wait it up.”

It wasn’t until they were in the car and headed out of the driveway that JC found the courage to speak.

“What are the four things?” JC asked as he shifted his gaze from the road to her.

Alexis really was gorgeous.  How he’d never noticed that before JC didn’t know but he definitely noticed now.

Alexis giggled and shook her head.  “It’s just something my Mom would say to the three of us whenever we left the house.”

“Oh?! So, what were they?”

Alexis laughed this time. “Trust me. You don’t want to know.”

JC grinned. “Sure, I do.”

Alexis blushed.  “Have fun. Drive careful. Be safe …”

“And the fourth?” JC asked grinning.

“Keep your pants zipped.”

JC laughed in surprise.  “Your mom did NOT say that.”

“Oh yes, she did, EVERY time.”

“I never heard her say that when I…” He trailed off.

He didn’t want to spoil the date by bringing up April.

Alexis nodded.  He didn’t have to finish the sentence.  She knew what he had been about to say.  However, she wasn’t about to let April ruin her evening.  Not this time.

Alexis managed a weak smile.  “Like I said, she said it every time we left the house from about the age of 13 on, so by the time we were allowed to date she didn’t have to say it anymore.  She would just hold up four fingers as we walked out the door.”

A memory flashed in JC’s brain and he found himself chuckling a bit. 

“Is that what THAT meant? I always wondered.”

He smiled and shook his head a bit.  An awkward pause followed.

“So…are you going to tell me where you’re taking me?’ Alexis asked breaking the silence.

“Nope.” JC said grinning.

“Not even a hint?!”

JC looked at her and smiled.  His eyes were smiling too and it made her a bit giddy, but she did her best to hide it.

“Nope. You’ll know soon enough, promise.”

Alexis nodded then tried to think of something more to say.  It wasn’t like her to be nervous but it was just what he did to her.  That, and she was still trying to decide if she could trust him again. 

“I hear your album is going well.” She said cracking a smile.

“Oh yeah? Where did you hear that?” He replied smiling back.

“People.”

“By “people” do you really mean Michelle?” JC teased.

Alexis nodded.  “Yes and no.  I’ve done several radio interviews.  I’ve been asked what it was like working with you a few times.”

JC looked to her.  A smile tugged at his lips but it was one of those sexy smiles that made your toes curl and shivers race down your spine.

“Oh?! And, what did you say?”

Alexis bit her lip and blushed a bit.  She hated that he made her blush so easily.

“Umm…I said that you were great to work with.  I said you were really talented and very professional.  I said that I would work with you again anytime.”

JC grinned more if it were possible.  “Hmm.  Is that so?”

Alexis smiled back.  “Yes, of course.  You were great.  You did an AMAZING job on the album.  I’d be a fool to pass up the chance to work with you again.”

JC chuckled a bit and nodded.  He wasn’t going to bring up the song.  Not yet.  They were on a date.  He wasn’t going to discuss work right then but it did give him hope.

Minutes later they were passing under a very familiar archway.  Alexis looked to JC, her green eyes wide.

“Disneyland?!”

JC grinned.  “Bingo!”

“Why here?” Alexis asked giggling.

JC pulled through to a private entrance and stopped in front of a valet.  He put the car in park then turned to look at Alexis before speaking.

“It’s where we met…well…sorta.”

Alexis’s eyes widened more, if possible, and her voice caught in her throat. 

***

August 1991- Magic Kingdom- Walt Disney World

“Hey man…I’m hungry.” JC said looking to his friends.

“Same…we should get something to eat.” His friend, Dale replied.

Before he knew what was happening JC was slamming into something and in the next moment a yelp and then a thud. 

“Ouch! Watch it!” squealed a female voice.

He looked down and there, on the ground, was a pretty, young brunette.  She was glaring up at him.  She was covered in what looked to be sauce from a turkey leg.  The empty wrapping stuck to her arm.

“I’m sorry…my friend wasn’t watching where he was going.” His friend, Tony said reaching down to help her up.

JC outstretched his hand as well.  Together the two men helped the girl to stand.

Cracking a tiny smile, the girl blew a piece of hair from her face then peeled the wrapper from her arm and clenched it into a ball.

“No sweat. Nothing seems broken and well…this place is super crowded today.”

“What’s your name?” Tony asked.

She smiled.  “Alexis, and yours?”

“I’m Tony.  This is Dale and the clumsy one is Josh…we call him JC.”

“Nice to meet you.”

No sooner had the words left her lips than a second brunette with the same piercing green eyes ran up to them.

“Oh my gosh, Lex…are you ok? I saw what happened.”

“I’m fine.  It was an accident. No harm done.” Alexis answered.

Then she nodded to the three men in front of her.

“Tony, Dale, Josh…this is my twin sister, April.”

“Nice to meet you.”

***

Alexis snapped herself from her thoughts.  That was then.  This was now.  However, she still couldn’t believe he was trying to recreate the day they’d met.

“That’s… uh…thoughtful.”

JC smiled.  “I’m tryin’.”

Alexis nodded and the door opened.  The valet offered his hand to help her out as JC opened the driver side.

“Are you sure about this? Don’t we need your shadow…or mine, or both?” Alexis said once they were both outside the car.

JC grinned. “Already taken care of.  They will meet us inside.”

Alexis smiled a bit.  “You’ve been planning this for a bit, haven’t you?”

“Maybe a day or two.”

“I’m impressed.” Alexis said nodding.

“That was the idea.” JC chuckled.

Without any hesitation JC reached out an took her hand, lacing his fingers with hers.  A bolt of electricity shot through her arm and down her spine the moment his hand touched hers.  She inhaled sharply, praying he hadn’t heard it.

Alexis didn’t say a word as they approached the ticket booth. 

“Reservation under Chasez.” He told the ticket clerk.

She nodded and smiled.  That was the nice thing about Disney, none of the cast members EVER broke character regardless of whom was standing in front of them.

“Here you are sir.  The rest of your party is inside.” The clerk said as she pushed two tickets towards him.

JC shoved one in his back pocket and handed the other to Alexis.  She did the same. 

He took her hand again and started to guide her through the VIP entrance into the park.  They entered on Main Street, just next to the Fire Station.  Kenny and JC’s bodyguard; Dre were waiting just next the old fire engine.

“No Lonnie?” Alexis asked curiously.

JC smiled and shook his head.  “Not today.  Lonnie is technically Justin’s bodyguard.  Dre is mine…most of the time anyway.”

Alexis nodded.

“Where to first?” JC asked smiling at her.

“You’re asking me?”

JC nodded. “I am.  A gentleman always lets the lady choose.”

Alexis smirked.  “Are you saying you’re a gentleman?”

JC grinned and wiggled his eye-brows suggestively.  “When I want to be.”

“Are you flirting with me again Mr. Chasez?” Alexis teased.

“Indeed. I am Miss Moretti.”

Alexis giggled then took a moment to think about her options.  Truthfully, she hadn’t been to Disneyland in ages.

“Hmm…a Friday evening, in July, and it’s still early.  Fantasyland is still probably pretty packed.”

JC chuckled.  “Lex, did you forget? I’m pretty much a walking Fast Pass.  I think we’ll be ok.”

Alexis blushed. “Oh yeah.  Umm…ok…then, in that case…”It’s A Small World.”

He laughed.  “Really?”

Alexis swatted at him playfully and giggled.  “It’s a Moretti tradition.  We ALWAYS do “It’s A Small World” first…or as much as we can…sometimes the lines are ridiculous.”

He smiled and nodded then squeezed her hand gently. “It’s a Small World” it is.”

They walked hand in hand all the way down Main Street, through the castle and all the way into Fantasyland with Dre and Kenny trailing not far behind, but far enough that they weren’t intruding.

Alexis could not get over the way her hand felt in his.  His hands were strong, and his grip was firm but gentle. 

JC was thinking about the way her hand fit in his too.  Her hands were soft and just seemed to fit perfectly in his.

Sure enough, just as if it had been planned in advance, as soon as they approached the ride a Cast Member quickly moved them to the front of the line.  JC got into the boat first then helped Alexis to step in.

Kenny and Dre took the boat just behind them.  Around them, Alexis noticed a few people snapping photos but no one was able to get too close.

The boats floated into the tunnel as the light disappeared behind them.  At the moment, Alexis was sitting against one side of the boat and JC the other.  However, that didn’t last long.  JC took the darkened tunnel as an opportunity to scoot closer.  He scooted to the center of the boat then reached an arm out, placing it over her shoulder and pulling her into him.

With her this close JC could smell the fruity smell of her shampoo.  It was making him wild.  And, with the way they were sitting, his arm draped around her shoulders, he was close enough to kiss her.  He was surprised by how BADLY he wanted to kiss her.  If he was being honest, he’d wanted to kiss her since the night he’d taken her out, the night he’d found out the truth.

He held back.  As much as it was making him crazy, now wasn’t the right time.  However, that didn’t mean he couldn’t do other things.

Smiling to himself he brushed the hair from her neck, then leaned in close so he could whisper in her ear.

“Do you know how bad I want to kiss you right now?” He whispered.

The feel of his warm breath on her neck and the sound of his voice whispering in her ear sent shockwaves coursing through her.

Alexis swallowed hard then forced herself to speak.  She wanted him to kiss her but she wasn’t about to tell him that.  Not yet anyway.

“Mmm. How bad?” She whispered back.

He groaned, his voice low.  “SO Bad!”

“Not yet. You’ve got to earn it!” She replied playfully.

He moaned softly then buried his face in her neck. 

“You’re gonna make me beg, aren’t you?” He chuckled softly.

“Maybe.“ She teased quietly.

He grinned then whispered to her again.

“What about this? Is this allowed?” He asked softly before placing his lips on her neck.

She inhaled sharply and he chuckled in her ear.  The sensation of his lips on her neck was making it hard for her to think about much else.

She giggled a bit and tried to push him away as the boat started to float back into the light.

“Josh! Stop! I’m really ticklish there.”

“Oh, really? Well then…”

He kissed a trail across her shoulder and up her neck until his lips were hovering at her ear. 

“We’ll continue this later Pretty Lady.”

Alexis didn’t get a chance to respond.  The boat was now rounding a corner and floating up to the exit.  As soon as it stopped Josh was out of his seat, helping her up on to the dock. 

“Where to next?” He asked once they were out of the que.

Alexis shook her head.  “Nope.  It’s your turn to pick.”

“Says who?” JC chuckled.

“Me! I picked the first ride, now it’s your turn.”

JC smiled and shook his head.  She definitely wasn’t like ANY girl he’d ever dated before.  She kept him on his toes, that was for sure.

“My turn?! Hmm. Ok. Let’s see, we’re in Fantasy land, how about the Matterhorn?”

Alexis smiled and nodded.  “Sure.”

Once again, his hand found hers.  Alexis was beginning to really enjoy the way her hand fit in his, and it surprised her.  She’d always had feelings for Josh but never realized just how deep those feelings went, apparently deeper than she realized.

Soon they were at the front of the line for the Matterhorn with Kenny and Dre just a few groups behind them.

JC stepped into the car first, then scooted back and patted the seat in front of him, motioning for her to sit.

Alexis’s eyes widened a bit and he smiled.

“Get in.” He said grinning.

Alexis shook her head a bit and bit her lip.  He really was quite the flirt.

As soon as she settled herself in the seat in front of him, he snaked his arms around her waist and pulled her back against him.

“Much better.” He said burying his face in her neck again.

She felt him pressed against her back.  In fact, she felt ALL of him and she had to fight not to show how it was making her head spin.

“You think so?” She smirked as the car surged forward.

“I do.” He chuckled softly.

Alexis just shook her head an giggled a bit.  He was laying the charm on thick. 

 

After the Matterhorn JC led Alexis out into the park, making his way towards New Orleans Square.

“Where are we going?” Alexis asked curiously.

“It’s a surprise.” He said smiling down at her.

Alexis giggled. ‘We discussed this. I don’t like surprises.  Besides, you’ve already surprised me once today.  That’s enough.”

JC smiled at her, then pulled her around so that he was facing her.  They were standing in front of Snow White’s fountain, just adjacent the castle.

He dropped her hand, then wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her close.  He rested his forehead against hers then dropped his voice to a whisper.

“Not true.  I’ve got eight years worth of missed birthdays and Christmas to make up for.”

Alexis shook her head fervently.  “Don’t Josh!  We’re having fun…don’t ruin it with promises you have no intention of keeping.”

His eyes flashed with surprise.  It was then, in that moment, that he realized just how deeply he’d hurt her by leaving.

“Is that honestly what you think?” He asked sadly.

“Honestly?!” Alexis replied.

“Please.” He replied, his head still resting against hers.

Alexis swallowed hard and nodded.  This was not going at all how she’s expected it to.  Truthfully, she thought they would go out, have a good time, satisfy the curiosity about one another and then move on.  She hadn’t expected that either of them would get emotionally invested, but, here they were.

“I don’t know what to think.”

He nodded, then cracked a smile “Guess I will have to work on that.”

Alexis smiled and nodded.  She could see that he was genuinely trying, or at least he appeared to be , she just hoped it wasn’t all an act.

Still smiling at her JC pulled away a bit and shoved his hand down into his pocket.  Once his hand was inside, he grabbed a handful of coins and held it out to her.

“Take one, make a wish.’ He sad his palm outstretched towards her.

Alexis giggled a bit then took a penny from his hand.  She closed her eyes briefly, took a breath and tossed her coin into the well.

When she opened her eyes again his lips were hovering over hers.  She opened her mouth to speak and he silenced her immediately, closing his lips over hers. 

 

It was a soft, tender kiss but brief and over much to soon.  She wanted more, and so did he.  

 

Chapter 13 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

Chapter 13

JC pulled away a bit and smiled down at her.  He wanted more, in fact, he craved it now, but despite what she believed, he’d promised to take this slow and he wasn’t about to break that promise.  He needed to prove to her that he was serious. 

“What did you wish for?” He asked quietly.

Alexis shook her head.  “If you tell a wish it won’t come true.”

“Says who?” JC chuckled.

“Cinderella.” Alexis replied very matter of factly.

JC laughed.  “Well, I guess she would know.”

“So…now what?” Alexis asked as she tried to calm her now racing heart.

Just the feel of his lips on hers was making her lightheaded. 

“Are you hungry?” He asked.

“Starving.” Alexis replied.

JC grinned then reached for her hand. 

“Good…we have a dinner reservation in 10 minutes.”

Alexis’s eyes widened and she smiled as JC started to lead her down the path and past the castle towards New Orleans Square.

“Dinner reservation? Please tell me we’re not character dining?” Alexis teased.

JC chuckled and shook his head.  “Not hardly.  Although, as much as you love Disney, I should have considered that.”

Alexis giggled a bit as his statement as she allowed him to guide her through the crowd.  It surprised her just how much he remembered about her. 

“Ok, then where are we having dinner?”

“You’ll see.” He said smiling back at her.

That smile was going to be her undoing, especially now that it was directed at her.

Moments later they were headed down what looked like an alley in New Orleans.  There were buildings on either side and people were passing through, on there way to somewhere else but JC guided her through until they stopped in front of what appeared to be a hostess stand.  It was in front of an entryway that looked as if it were cut into the walls around it.  She’d been to Disneyland at least a hundred times, walked down this alley way at least that many but never noticed the entrance before.

“Reservation for 2 under Chasez.” JC explained to the hostess.

The hostess smiled and nodded then looked down at the screen in front of her.

“Right this way Mr. Chasez.”

JC looked to Alexis, smiled, squeezed her hand gently then started to follow the hostess.  As soon as they stepped up the steps into the restaurant and rounded the corner it got very dark. 

Alexis could smell chlorine and salt.  They were near water.  Then, as her eyes adjusted and the lanterns began to glow above them, her jaw dropped.  She knew where they were.  They were literally inside the Pirates of the Caribbean ride.  This was the Blue Bayou restaurant.

Truthfully, Alexis had always wanted to come here but thought it was a romantic spot and, could never figure out where the entrance was, until now.

The hostess escorted them to the farthest table in the restaurant, right up next to the rail separating them from the watery ride on the other side. 

JC pulled out her chair then waited for her to sit before taking his own seat.

Once seated the hostess handed them two menus on thick, fancy paper.

Alexis swallowed hard as the words on the page registered in her brain.

Blue Bayou-Sweetheart Dinner

This was definitely a date.  If there had been any doubt in her mind it was gone now.  They’d been BEST FRIENDS for almost seven years, 4 of which she’d been in love with him and now here they were.  She was still trying to wrap her ahead around it.

“Wow!” She whispered.

“Too much?” JC asked.

Alexis shook her head and bit her lip.  “NO! No, it’s perfect…I was expecting Turkey leg.”

JC laughed. “Nah.  Not this time. You look too good to get you all messy.”

Alexis laughed in reply.  He LOVED the way her eyes lit up when she laughed and the way the glow from the lanterns and the candles flickered across her face.

“You’re not so bad yourself.  You clean up good Mr. Chasez.”

“Oh really?”

Alexis smirked and shook her head.  “Whatever?! You know you’re FINE as hell!”

JC grinned and bit his lip.  Meanwhile, Alexis was covering her face with her hand.  She’d just said that out loud, to his face.

He reached across the table and pulled her hand away from her face but didn’t let go.  She was blushing and he was enjoying it immensely.

“You think so?” He chuckled.

Alexis giggled a bit and bit her lip.  “No, not at all, only for the past 15 years.”

JC chuckled a bit then sat back in his chair.  “Has it really been that long since we met?”

Alexis nodded. “1991.  The turkey leg kiosk in Fantasy land at the Magic Kingdom.”

“I felt so bad about knocking you over.”

Alexis blushed again.  “You were cute.  I wasn’t complaining.  You and that floppy hair.”

JC groaned but he was smiling as he did so.  “Oh GOD! That hair!”

Alexis smiled and gave him a look.  “What is it with you and your hair?”

JC made a face. “You don’t like my hair?”

He tugged at a few of the curls and she laughed.  GOD! Her laugh, and those eyes, and her lips.  She was stirring up feelings in him that he was not at all prepared for.

Alexis giggled. “On you, it works.  I guess I just forgot how curly your hair is.”

Dinner was incredibly romantic.  It surprised her.  However, it wasn’t until the waiter brought out dessert that Alexis realized just how romantic he was trying to be. 

Her eyes widened as she looked down at the plate.  Chocolate Mousse cake with Cream filled strawberries.  There was no way he could have known that strawberries and chocolate were her favorite dessert.

One plate. Two forks.  She was in TROUBLE, that much was certain.

“Ladies first.” He said nodding to the fork in front of her.

Alexis didn’t have to be told twice.  Immediately, she made a grab for her fork and dug it into the chocolate cake. 

JC watched, his eyes wide as she slowly pulled the fork from between her lips and her eyes fluttered closed.

“Wow! That’s SOOO good!” She whispered.

“It’s all yours.” He said grinning.

Alexis shook her head.  “NOOO!  I can’t eat all this by myself.  Besides, there are two forks, meaning it’s meant to be shared.”

“You’re sure?” He asked.

Alexis nodded. “Absolutely.”

He smiled then took the second fork and stabbed a strawberry with it.  He brought the fork to his lips and bit into the strawberry watching her curiously as he chewed. 

Meanwhile, Alexis was trying to maintain her composure.  There was something about watching him, his Adams apple bobbing up and down as he chewed and the juice from the strawberry shining on his lips that was making her dizzy.

He pulled the fork away and set it down on the plate and that was when she noticed the bit of cream at the corner of his mouth.

Alexis smiled and nodded at him.  “You’ve got a bit of…”

“Where?” He asked pulling his napkin from his lap.

“Just there.” She said motioning to his lips.

He wiped his lips but it was still there.

“Did I get it?” He asked.

She blushed, bit her lip and shook her head.  Then silently, she cursed herself for acting so shy.  She was anything but shy.

Taking a breath, she lifted her hand, reached across the table and rubbed the bit of cream away with her thumb.  But, when she went to pull her hand back, he grabbed it, then without saying a word, pulled her thumb into his mouth and sucked the cream from the tip.

Her eyes went wide and she inhaled sharply.

“Mmm…you’re right, that was good.”

Alexis laughed.  “GOD you’re awful!”

“Am I?” He teased.

Alexis shook her head and smirked a bit.  “Yes! But…also…No!”

This time, it was his turn to laugh.

“That’s fair.” He chuckled.

The waiter came to bring the check just then and before she knew it, they were standing outside the restaurant again.  It was after dark now and the lights of the park lit up the night sky. 

After dinner they did a few more of the rides then started back towards Main street.  People were already starting to gather to grab a spot for the fireworks.

“Do you want to stay for the fireworks?” JC asked.

Alexis shrugged.  She’d seen the fireworks at least a hundred times and although the idea of watching them with him sounded appealing, fighting the crowds afterward did NOT.

Alexis smiled and shook her head.  “No. I’m good.  I’m not tryin’ to get trampled by this crowd on the way out afterwards and well, I am here…in Disneyland…with Disney royalty …so there is that.”

“True.” JC smirked.

Another awkward silence followed.  Alexis was starting to lose count of how many times they’d both been at a loss for words.  It wasn’t like her to not know what to say, but here she was, speechless, because of him.

Alexis wasn’t ready for the night to end but things in the park were starting to shut down. 

“Want to go for a walk?” Alexis asked bravely.

JC smiled and took her hand again.  “What did you have in mind?”

Alexis grinned then tightened her grip on his hand.  “Follow me.”

Kenny and Dre were about ten feet back, keeping their distance but still looking out.  They picked up the pace a bit to keep up as Alexis led JC through the crowd, dodging between strollers and people as she made her way to the entrance.

“It’s a marathon, not a sprint girl.” Kenny called after her.

Alexis giggled and slowed her pace but didn’t let go of JC.  Soon, they were headed towards Downtown Disney. 

“You sure about this?” JC asked seriously.

Alexis stopped briefly to look at him.  She understood his concern.  It was a Friday night in July, and they were in Disneyland.  In other words, the perfect scene for a mob if too many people recognized him.

Alexis smiled then gave his hand a reassuring squeeze. 

“I’ll protect you.”

He laughed. “Isn’t it supposed to be the other way around?”

“Says whom?” Alexis teased.

“Fair enough, but I’m holding you to that.”

“No complaints here.”

They walked through Downtown Disney for a bit, stopping every so often to watch the street performers or window gaze but didn’t say much.  It was nice.

After about an hour of wandering around Downtown Disney they started back towards the Valet entrance.  It was nearly 11 and neither wanted to press their luck just yet. 

Things were quiet for most of the drive back to Alexis’s place.  They were both lost in their thoughts.  JC was thinking about how he hadn’t been on actual “real” date like this in a long time.  In fact, lately, most of his rendezvous with the opposite sex were strictly between the sheets. 

Meanwhile, Alexis was thinking about how long she’d wished for this opportunity and how surreal it felt now that it was happening. 

“That was definitely an improvement from last time.” JC said chuckling as he pulled the car to a stop in front of her place.

Alexis smiled. “Oh, absolutely!”

“Do you want to try it again sometime?” JC asked hopefully.

Alexis giggled and nodded. “I think that could be arranged.”

“Do you want me to walk you to the door?” He asked politely.

Alexis smiled. “You don’t have to.”

JC grinned and bit his lip.  “That’s not what I asked Lexi.”

Alexis smirked.  “It’s not necessary.”

He chuckled a bit and shook his head.  “So, that’s a “no.”

Alexis giggled.  He was flirting again, that was obvious.

“I didn’t say that.”

Grinning a bit, JC unbuckled his seatbelt and stepped out of the car then jogged around to the other side.  He opened the door for her then helped her out but before she even had the chance to open her mouth to speak his mouth was on top of hers. 

JC pulled her hard into his chest then snaked his arms around her waist, pulling her into him more as her arms went around his neck and her hands went to his hair.  She tugged softly at the curls on the back of his head and he groaned against her lips. 

“GOD Lexi!” He breathed out.

He deepened the kiss, sliding his tongue into her mouth with ease and she felt herself fall back against the car door trapping her against him.  She could feel him getting excited but she could also feel her excitement building as well.

When he finally pulled away, they were both a bit out of breath.  He smiled at her.  Her lips were a bit fuller from kissing and her cheeks were pink.  She looked AMAZING.

“FUCK! I’m in trouble!” Alexis thought to herself.

***

2 days later

Alexis hadn’t heard a word from JC since their date on Friday night.  After their impromptu make out session, he’d escorted her to the door, given her one more kiss “goodnight” and then left.  Since then, silence. 

No text. No phone call. Nothing.

Typical male behavior.  It infuriated the hell out of her.

Saturday and Sunday had been pretty uneventful.  She and Michelle had hung out at home, watched movies and ordered pizza.  It was nice to relax after a crazy week and Alexis was grateful for it.  She knew her days of lounging at home on a weekend were numbered.

On Sunday afternoon, after binging several hours of “One Tree Hill” with Michelle, Alexis received a text from her manager; Andrew.

Andrew: I need you dressed and ready to go tomorrow at 9

Alexis: Ok?

Andrew:  We have a meeting at 10

Alexis: A meeting? Since when? With whom?

Andrew: Since about ten minutes ago. 

Alexis: Ok, but who with?

Andrew: JIVE records

Alexis made a face. She’d heard that label name before but she couldn’t place it right then.

Alexis: Why?

Andrew: No idea. The label just called and asked if we’d be willing to meet and well…it’s JIVE…so I said “Yes.” I figured it was at least worth the tank of gas to hear what they had to say

Alexis nodded.  It made sense.  Andrew had always taken care of her and her career.  There was no reason to not trust him now.

Alexis: I’ll be ready. 

Andrew: Great.  I’ll have Kenny pick you up and I’ll meet you there

Alexis: Sounds great

Andrew: I know I don’t have to tell you this but I’m going to, just to be safe, dress business casual, ok?

Alexis smiled and shook her head.  He was a stickler for the details.

Alexis: Got it

Alexis put the phone down and looked to her sister sitting on the couch next to her. 

“JIVE Records.” Alexis said simply.

“What about them?” Michelle asked turning towards her sister.

“The name is familiar.”

Michelle smirked.  “Well, that’s not a surprise.”

Alexis made a face.  “Ok, but why?”

Michelle giggled.  “I would imagine it’s because that’s *NSYNC’s label.  Why do you ask?”

Alexis’s eyes went wide.  Of course, it was. 

“I have a meeting there tomorrow at 10”

Michelle laughed and shook her head.  She had a feeling she knew where this was headed.

“With whom?” Michelle asked as fought to control her smile.

Alexis shrugged.  “No clue.  Andrew didn’t know.  He just said that the label wanted to meet with me tomorrow and he thought it was worth at the very least, the tank of gas to get us there.”

Michelle grinned and nodded. “I completely agree.”

Alexis sighed and laid her head back against the couch cushion, closing her eyes briefly.  The fact that she hadn’t heard from Josh in days was really starting to bug her, and now this. 

“*NSYNC, huh?” Alexis smirked.

Michelle nodded. “Yeah, but they have plenty of other artists too.”

Alexis just shook her head.

“I am sure they do.  I just find it a bit suspicious that I go out with Josh, don’t hear from him for two days, and now this.”

Michelle giggled a bit and nodded.  “Ok, yeah.  Not ideal. HOWEVER, he is a guy and they have rules, STUPID rules but that’s not the point.  AND, you two have history so I would guess that he’s just trying to figure out what happens next.”

“Then tell me that.  Don’t just make out with me then “Ghost” me.”

“I don’t think that’s what he’s doing.” Michelle replied.

“Could have fooled me.” Alexis snapped.

Michelle shook her head.  She understood Alexis’s frustration but there wasn’t much that could be done right then.

“Regardless, a meeting with JIVE is a good thing.”

Alexis nodded.  She knew Michelle was right but it didn’t change the fact that she wanted to know what was going on in Josh’s head.

***

At 9:00 on Monday morning Alexis was dressed and ready for her meeting at JIVE.  She was nervous, but also excited.  She had NO idea what to expect but had the sinking suspicion that JC was behind it.

She was dressed to impress.  Her hair was pulled back in a pony tail and she was dressed in a pair of black, skinny slacks.  They fit like a glove, hugging every curve perfectly.  She had on a black camisole with lace trim at the top and over it, a dark green blazer that brought out the green in her eyes.  On her feet, a pair of ankle boots. 

Alexis decided that if Josh was going to get into her head like he had then she was more than capable of getting into his.  She was going to make him squirm.

The doorbell rang and Alexis opened it to find Kenny standing on the other side with a Venti Starbucks cup.  He looked her up and down and grinned as he shook his head then handed the cup to her.

“DAMN girl!”

Alexis smiled.  “Good? Bad?”

Kenny snorted.  “You look dressed to kill.  The question is, why?”

Alexis smirked.  “I like to be prepared and if my suspicions are correct, HE has it coming.”

Kenny eyes widened.

“You haven’t heard from him, have you?”

Alexis shook her head.  “Not a peep.”

Kenny snorted. “Dumbass.”

Minutes later they were in Kenny’s SUV headed towards JIVE’s LA offices.  Alexis stared out the window and sipped her coffee quietly, her mind deep in thought.  She was attracted to Josh.  She always had been but for her, it was more than that.  For 7 years they’d been BEST FRIENDS.  There wasn’t any thing they didn’t tell each other.  Even when he’d gone off to Nashville to record and write with Justin they’d kept in touch.  She remembered how excited he’d been when *NSYNC formed and how he literally bounced off the walls the day they found their 5th member.

He wasn’t that guy anymore, and it killed her to see him that way because she knew why.  April was the why and she HATED her sister for what she’d done to him. 

“We’re here.” Kenny said snapping Alexis from her thoughts.

Alexis took a deep breath and nodded. 

“Let’s do this!” She said before stepping down from the SUV.

Andrew was waiting for them just outside the front door.  He smiled as he watched Alexis and Kenny approach. 

“I’m glad to see you listen to me some of the time.” Andrew teased.

Alexis grinned. “Only when I feel like it.”

Andrew and Kenny both laughed.

“Are you ready?” Andrew asked.

“I got this!” Alexis replied nodding with an evil grin.

Andrew made a face but chalked her expression up to excitement.

Together they entered the building and right into a very modern but elegant reception area.  Andrew approached the receptionist with Alexis and Kenny right behind him.

“How can I help you?” the receptionist replied smiling.

Andrew smiled back.  “I’m Andrew Thomas, this is Danielle Moretti.  We have a 10:00 appointment.”

The receptionist looked at her screen and then back up at Andrew, her smile wide.

“Yes. I see.  I will let Mr. Wright know you’re here.  Please have a seat. Someone will be right with you.”

“Thank you.”

Alexis, Kenny and Andrew took seats on the plush leather couches to wait.

“Who is Mr. Wright?” Alexis whispered to both Kenny and Andrew.

Andrew smiled.  “Well, unless I am completely mistaken Mr. Wright is Johnny Wright, manager for *NSYNC.”

Alexis smirked then sat back against the couch, crossing her arms over her chest.  “OH, It’s ON Chasez.”

Andrew looked to Alexis and then over to Kenny.

“What does that mean?’ Andrew asked confused.

Kenny laughed.  “Danielle and Mr. Chasez sorta have a thing.”

Andrew’s eyes widened.  “A thing?!”

Alexis snorted.  “We do NOT have a thing!  He wishes we had a THING!”

Andrew groaned. “Danielle …PLEASE…let’s just hear what they have to say. “

Alexis nodded.  Regardless of how she felt she wasn’t about to ruin an opportunity to boost her career.  However, that didn’t mean she wasn’t about to make Josh squirm in the process.

Moments later the Receptionist approached them. 

“Right this way, they are ready for you.”

Alexis looked to Andrew.

“They?” she mouthed quietly.

Andrew shrugged. 

The trio stood and followed the Receptionist down the hall.  They rounded a corner then down another long hallway until she stopped in front of a door.  The receptionist opened the door and held it for them as Andrew stepped inside first.  Alexis followed with Kenny right behind her. 

As soon as Alexis stepped through the doorway and saw what was waiting on the other side her heart stopped.

They had just walked into a conference room.  The man she assumed was Johnny Wright was seated at the head of the table.  Seated to his right, along the side were all five members of *NSYNC.  Alexis looked to the door again and then back to the group.  They were all smiles and it was un-nerving as HELL.

“Something wrong Miss Moretti?” Johnny Wright asked smiling.

“I’m just waiting for Ashton Kutcher and his camera crew.” Alexis replied.

Johnny laughed and the members of *NSYNC grinned.

“You’re not being Punk’D, I can assure you of that Miss Moretti. Please have a seat.”

“Yes, please, sit down Lexi.” JC said grinning at her.

That smile. Right then she wanted to wipe that smile right off his face.  He was behind this, she knew it.

Alexis took her seat between Kenny and Andrew and waited for Mr. Wright to speak.

Johnny chuckled.  “Oh yes, that’s right. I forgot that you and Mr. Chasez have worked together previously.”

Alexis smirked. “Among other things.”

Johnny shot JC a questioning look.   Meanwhile, Andrew had just kicked Alexis under the table.

Alexis shook her head and smiled. “Yes. We’ve met…I’ve also had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Timberlake, but we were never formally introduced.”

Justin grinned and motioned to JC. “That’s his fault.  He seems to be struggling with basic skills, like manners and common sense as of late.”

“Apparently.” Alexis replied.

“Well then, allow me to introduce you to the other three members of the group.” Johnny started.

Alexis shook her head and smiled, but unlike the sarcastic smile from earlier this was a genuine one.

“No…no…please…let me see if I have this right.  I’ve been taking *NSYNC lessons …”

“*NSYNC lessons?” Johnny asked laughing.

Alexis blushed. “Umm…let’s just say the group has been off my radar a bit, at least until very recently but thanks to my younger sister I’m catching up quickly.”

“Well, ok then.” Johnny replied chuckling.

Alexis looked to the remaining three members of the group and took a breath.  She wanted to do Michelle proud.

“I apologize in advance if I get this wrong.”

“No worries.  We get it.  It’s a lot to take in all at once.” One of the darker haired men said grinning.

She smiled at him and bit her lip nervously.  “Mr. Kirkpatrick?”

He nodded.  “That’s me.  The resident Goofball.”

Alexis giggled a bit and nodded.  “You also started the group, am I right?”

Chris beamed.  “Your sister taught you well.  Yes. That’s correct.”

Then Alexis turned to the other dark-haired man.  If the other guy was Chris then she knew who he was.

“You’re Mr. Fatone.  I know you from “My Big Fat Greek Wedding”, which by the way my sister dragged me to…TWICE…because you were in it.”

Joey laughed.  “Next time I see your sister I’ll be sure to tell her “thank you.”

Alexis immediately shot JC a look.  Alexis knew that Michelle had met Justin but the fact that she’d met the other members of the group was new information.  She and Michelle would DEFINITELY be having a discussion later.

However, now was not the time to dwell on that.  This meeting was far from over.  She needed to have her “game face” on.

Alexis just smirked a bit then allowed her eyes to fall on the last man seated at the table.  He was blonde, and his green eyes were almost as green as hers.  He had a warm, friendly smile.  Seeing it reminded her that she’d heard about him in the news recently.

Across the table JC was watching her with interest.  He knew she was angry with him for not calling her after their date.  She had every right to be but although he had done it on purpose his intentions were pure.  He hadn’t wanted to tip her off about this prematurely.  He wanted her to seriously consider their proposal and he was afraid she wouldn’t if he told her about it ahead of time.  He didn’t want her to get the wrong idea about their date, that he was just buttering her up for this.

Her eyes changed when she looked at Lance.  Her smile was almost sad, but reassuring at the same time.

“You are Mr. Bass.”

“I am. Five for five.” He replied smiling.

Alexis nodded and smiled then directed her gaze back towards Lance.  “Thank you, and can I just say, for the record, Mr. Bass, Perez Hilton is a FUCKING ASS HAT but you handled that like a ROCK STAR!  I’d have decked him for sure.”

Lance chuckled then blushed.  “Thanks.”

Around the table everyone was smiling.  The tension in the room had settled a bit.  It wasn’t completely gone but it definitely wasn’t as thick.  It was a start.

“Well, now that we have introductions out of the way.  I bet you’re wondering why we asked you here today Ms. Moretti.” Johnny said smiling.

Alexis nodded.  “The thought had crossed my mind.”

Johnny nodded.  “Well, *NSYNC is currently working on their 4th album and they’ve decided that their first single, “If I Never See Your Face Again” needs a feminine touch…”

“Ok?!” Alexis replied her eyes wide.

She had a feeling she knew where this was going.

“They’d like you to sing on the track with them.” Johnny finished.

Alexis’s jaw dropped meanwhile Andrew was grinning like a fool.

“Me?!” Alexis exclaimed.

“Yes, YOU!” Justin said grinning.

“Why?” Alexis shot back.

“Because Ms. Moretti you can SAAAANG and you’re just what this song NEEDS!” Lance chimed in.

“How do you know I can sing?” Alexis continued in shock.

She wasn’t sure she wanted the answer but she asked anyway.

“How do you think?” Chris teased nodding to JC.

“I was there at your Album Release party too, remember? AND…you do have an album out, do you not?” Justin added grinning.

Alexis’s eyes went wider still.  “YOU, Mr. Justin Timberlake, have a copy of my album?”

Joey laughed.  “We all do Ms. Moretti.”

Johnny chuckled and nodded.  “Your talent is undeniable Ms. Moretti, and the group has been pretty insistent that it be YOU they collaborate with on this song.  I should also add that if the song is received well, and gets good reviews, which we believe it will, the group would also like to extend an invitation to you to join them on tour, as their Opening Act.  Their ONLY Opening Act.  You would get the full 45-minute block.”

Alexis’s eyes darkened and she looked to JC.  JC shifted uncomfortably.  He knew what was coming.  He’d been expecting it since the moment she entered the room.

“This was YOUR idea, wasn’t it?” Alexis snapped glaring at Josh.

JC just smiled and shook his head.  “Actually, No, it wasn’t.”

“It was mine.” Justin chimed in.

“Yours?” Alexis asked in disbelief.

Justin nodded and grinned. “Yes ma’am.  As soon as I heard you sing at the Release party, I knew you were what WE needed for this song.”

Alexis looked to Josh, then back at the group, then over to Mr. Wright.  Her head was spinning.  She needed to get her wits about her.

“I’m sorry Mr. Wright…I mean no disrespect, but do you think I could get five minutes with *NSYNC, ALONE, just the six of us?”

Johnny smiled and nodded.  Based on the little he knew about her relationship with JC he felt her request was reasonable.

Without a word Kenny, Andrew and Johnny stood and left the room leaving Alexis alone with the pop super group.

As soon as the door shut behind them Alexis’s eyes rounded on Josh again.  Her eyes were on fire and she was half out of her chair by this point.

“You’re a FUCKING piece of work Chasez!  First you tell me, NO, beg me for a second chance then you take me out on this super romantic date, get my hopes up and then don’t call me for two days and now THIS!”

JC opened his mouth to respond but was cut short by Joey.  Upon hearing Alexis, Joey scooted his chair, reached around Justin and smacked JC on the back of the head.

“Oww!  What the hell Joey?!” JC yelped.

“You’re an ASS!” Joey snapped.

“I didn’t want to give her the wrong impression.” JC said seriously.

“Then tell her that.” Chris chimed in.

Lance nodded in agreement.  “Yeah man, if you like her and you want THIS to work then do us all a favor and ditch the Douche-bag routine!”

“Exactly!” Alexis smirked.

“I’m sorry…” JC started.

Alexis shook her head.  “Nope.  You tried that already.  It didn’t work.  You’re gonna have to try a little harder now.  You are going to have to work for it.”

JC nodded and sighed.  He’d screwed up…AGAIN.

“May I say something?” JC sighed.

Alexis nodded. “Go ahead.”

“I should have called.  I should have texted.  I should have communicated but I really was just worried that you would get the wrong impression about our date.  I was scared you’d think that it was all just a ploy to get you to do this.”

“Wasn’t it?” Alexis shot back.

“No! It wasn’t. Not even a little bit.”

There was something about the look in his eyes that told her he was being truthful but she wasn’t about to let him off the hook just yet.

Alexis nodded then swallowed hard.  Her eyes lowered on JC and she rose to her full height, placing her hands on her hips.

“I want to do THIS! I do! I also want to believe you, more than anything! I also want to believe that you are the Josh I remember, but so far, I’m not seeing it! All I see is JC, “pop star playboy” and I don’t like him!”

Then, she sighed and looked at him sadly.  It broke his heart to see that look in her eyes and know he was the reason.

“I get it! I get WHY you’re this way! BUT…in case you’ve forgotten, in case you need a reminder…I’m NOT HER!”

“I know that.” JC sighed.

“Then PROVE IT!”

An awkward silence followed but it was Lance that broke it.

“Would you like a couple of days to consider our offer?”

Alexis smiled and shook her head.  “No.  That’s not necessary.  I’ll do it! I’d be STUPID not to, and I’m NOT stupid.  Just do me a favor…”

“Sure.” Justin said as the other three nodded.

Alexis smirked then looked to JC.  He was still sitting quietly, brooding.

 “Make sure HE doesn’t make me regret it.”

Joey chuckled. “Done!”

Chapter 14 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

Chapter 14

The next day was an off day for Alexis.  For the first time in weeks, she didn’t have anything scheduled.  Michelle was in class, meaning Alexis had the house to herself.  It was almost noon and she’d decided she needed to eat something.  The only thing she’d had so far that morning was a cup of coffee and a bagel with cream cheese.

She was hungry but unsure of what she wanted so there she was, standing in front of the fridge, the door open, staring into it blankly when the doorbell rang.

Her stomach growling Alexis shut the fridge then shuffled to the front door.  She wasn’t expecting anyone and she didn’t think they had any packages being delivered so she had no idea whom it might be.  Secretly, she was praying it wasn’t a fan that had found her address.  She wasn’t in the mood to deal with fans right then.

Alexis opened the door and her jaw dropped.  It was Josh standing on the other side.  He was dressed casually in a pair of jeans and a Rolling Stones T-shirt.

“Can we talk?” JC blurted out.

Alexis crossed her arms and made a face, but didn’t move from the doorway.

“I don’t know, can we Josh?” She shot back.

“Lexi, please?!” He said sighing.

His eyes had that broken, pleading look.  The same look she’d seen the day April had broken his heart.  Alexis gave in immediately.  She wasn’t about to act the way April had.  He didn’t deserve that a second time.

Alexis stepped aside and motioned for him to enter then followed him to the couch.

JC sighed and began to rub at his neck.  It was a nervous tick.  One she remembered from when they were younger.  It made her feel bad.

“I’ve been an ASSHOLE.  I know that.  I should have told you what was going on but PLEASE believe me when I say that I really was just trying to avoid you getting the wrong idea. It didn’t work out so well.”

Alexis nodded.  “We used to tell each other EVERYTHING, even the awkward stuff but NOW, now I have no idea what’s going on in that head of yours.”

JC chuckled awkwardly.  “Neither do I sometimes, especially lately.”

His response surprised her. 

“What does that mean?” She smirked.

He laughed a little and cracked a smile.  “I used to wonder what happened to you.  How you were after I left.  Then I heard from Dale and Tony that you’d moved to LA.  I started hoping we’d run into each other.  I realized after I left, during our first tour, that it was YOU I missed the most.”

JC paused to look at her.  Her eyes were wide and she was biting her lip.  She was hearing every word so he decided to keep going.

“Then, I walked into the studio that day and there you were.  It was like I was seeing a ghost.  There was something about you that was so familiar and your voice…GOD your voice was haunting!  I couldn’t shake the feeling that there was something between us.  Then you told me who you really were and I FREAKED THE FUCK OUT!”

It was then that Alexis stopped him.  She put a finger to his lips and shook her head feverishly. 

“My turn!”

He nodded but kept quiet.

“There hasn’t been a day that’s gone by since you left that I haven’t thought about you.  I wanted to hate you, I wanted to hate you so badly.  Then, you walked into that studio and all I could think about was how much I didn’t hate you!  It was just the opposite, and you were so FUCKING Charming!  That’s when I knew you had no idea who I really was.  I wanted to scream it at you.  I wanted to tell you everything I’d wanted to say to you for the past eight years.”

“Go ahead.” He said cracking the tiniest of smiles.

“Excuse me?” Alexis replied in shock.

It wasn’t what she’d expected at all.

“Say it! Whatever you want to say! I told you I wasn’t going anywhere this time.  It’s time I show you I meant it.”

Alexis shifted so she could look at him directly. She looked up into his blue eyes and allowed the words to just tumble out.

“I don’t hate you! I never did! I couldn’t hate you, because I was in love with you!  I hated HER, for what she did to you, for taking away the one person that mattered the most to me! I still hate her for that!  When you said that you couldn’t stay friends with me because I reminded you of her a part of me died inside, and when you left, when you walked away, it felt like you ripped my heart from my chest and took it with you!”

Alexis took a moment to catch her breath then looked up at him again.  He was looking back at her but she couldn’t gauge his expression.  She had no idea what he was thinking but he was hanging on her every word.

“I’ve dated. I’ve been with other guys, but it always felt like I was just trying to fill a void.  I just wanted the pain to go away, to fill the hole but no matter what I did or what I told myself it just made me miss you more.  Then you guys…*NSYNC blew up and suddenly YOU were everywhere.  I tried to block you out, to pretend like you didn’t exist but DAMN you made it near impossible.”

JC smiled a bit.

“You WERE in love with me?” JC asked, his eyes twinkling mischievously.

Alexis smirked and shook her head.

“Really Josh?! I just pour my heart out to you and that’s your take-away, the fact that I said I WAS in love with you.”

He inched closer so that their foreheads were touching and grinned.

“How do you feel about me now?”

“The truth?” She asked quietly.

“Please.” He whispered back.

“I don’t know.  One minute you piss me off and the next you have the butterflies in my stomach doing flips.”

He chuckled softly and nodded.  “That’s fair.”

He pulled back a bit and smiled at her.  He was determined to get this out now.  He owed her that.

“You make me crazy Lex! I CANNOT get you out of my head!  If I am being honest, I haven’t been able to get you out of my head since the day I walked away, and yeah, I’ve been a player, had my share of one-night stands and done things I’m not proud of, but if I thought for one second…”

She gave him a warning look but he just took her face in his hands and lowered his voice.

“If I thought for a second that there was even a chance, that you might let me in…”

“Josh don’t.” She whispered her voice wavering.

“Lexi…I mean it! If there was even the smallest chance that we could be something, that you could love me again I would give all that up.”

“Josh please.” She whimpered softly.

He leaned in again and very gently pulled at her bottom lip with his teeth.  Alexis inhaled sharply as one hand went around her waist, while the other went to the back of her head as he threaded his fingers through her hair.  Alexis placed her hands at his chest, trying to push him away but he wasn’t letting her go.  In fact, he used the leverage he had on her to pull her more into him, almost pulling her into his lap.

“I’m not letting you get go.  I’m not walking away, not as long as there is even the slightest chance.” He whispered against her lips.

“Don’t you DARE make me regret this!” Alexis whispered back.

In the next instant she was on top of him, her knees straddling his waist as she pushed him back on the couch so that his head was resting on the arm cushion.  She deepened the kiss, thrusting her tongue between his lips as his hands instinctively grabbed at her ass.

“OH MY GOD LEXI!” He groaned in her ear.

His hands went to her back, sliding under her shirt and up to her bra.  With just a flick of a finger the hook was undone leaving her bra dangling from her shoulders.  Meanwhile, her hands had found their way up his shirt as well and were now resting on his chest.

In her haze, Alexis heard someone clear their throat. 

“Ahem! Don’t mind me, I just live here.”

Both JC and Alexis sat up quickly, their heads colliding as they straightened themselves.

“Michelle! I didn’t hear you come in.” Alexis squeaked as she struggled to catch her breath.

Meanwhile, JC was willing his heart to stop racing as well as calm the rest of his body too.  He was more than just a bit excited.

“That’s obvious!” Michelle smirked.

Alexis rubbed her head and bit her lip.

“Sorry…Josh just came over to talk.”

Michelle laughed.  “Talk?! Ok, yeah, because that’s TOTALLY what was just happening.”

Alexis gave her sister a look.  Meanwhile, JC was trying to not smile. 

Michelle looked to Alexis and back to JC and couldn’t help but grin.

“Whatever! I don’t care! Actually, if you ask me, it’s about DAMN time, but could you maybe keep it in the bedroom.  I really don’t want “JC juice” all over my couch.” Michelle teased.

“Michelle!” Alexis squealed.

“I’m just sayin’! That couch isn’t easy to clean.”

“OH MY GOD! I hate you!” Alexis shot back, trying not to laugh.

Michelle just smiled and gave JC a wink. 

“Josh…did you want to stay for lunch? I’m making tacos.” Michelle asked grinning.

“Sure.” JC said smiling.

Michelle looked over at her sister again and grinned evilly.

“Might want to go fix your bra then Lex, Justin will be here in about five minutes.”

“Justin?” Alexis asked her eyes wide.

“Yeah. I invited him over for tacos.”

“Justin who?”

Michelle laughed.  “Justin Timberlake.”

“Timberlake?! You and Justin Timberlake?  Did that happen at the Album release party or when you met him before that?”

Michelle blushed.  “About that.”

“Yeah, about THAT!  Were you going to tell me you met *NSYNC, or just let me look like an idiot?”

“You didn’t look like an idiot.” JC chimed in chuckling.

“No, but you will if you don’t go fix yourself before Justin gets here. “Michelle smirked.

Alexis didn’t respond.  Instead, she shot Michelle a look then turned down the hall to go “fix” herself before Justin arrived.

Almost as soon as she disappeared the doorbell rang, signaling Justin’s arrival.

“Well, this is a surprise.” Justin said grinning at JC as he stepped through the doorway.

“I was in the neighborhood.” JC replied smiling.

“I see.” Justin laughed.

Alexis returned to the living room to find Michelle in the kitchen busy working on the tacos while JC and Justin sat at the counter sipping on beers.  Apparently, this was her life now.  It was weird, and then, it wasn’t.

“Hi.” Justin said smiling at Alexis.

“Hello Mr. Timberlake.” Alexis replied.

Justin grinned and shook his head.  “It’s Justin.  Really.  We’re going to be recording a song together, might as well drop the formalities.”

Michelle’s jaw dropped.  “Wait?! What?! You’re recording a song with Justin?!”

Alexis grinned. “No! I’m recording a song with *NSYNC.”

Michelle’s eyes went wide as saucers.  “You’re just telling me this NOW! YOU?! My sister?! My big sister is recording a song with *NSYNC!

“Are you gonna “Fan girl” right now ‘Chelle?” JC teased.

Michelle smirked.  “Not over you, but over my sister, ABSOLUTELY!”

Justin grinned and nodded.  “As it should be!”

Alexis blushed. “Stop!”

“Why? Girl, you can SAAANG, and that album of yours…DAMN!” Justin whistled.

“You’ve listened to it?” Alexis asked surprised.

“Hell yeah!  That song, “Bang, Bang” that’s a BOP for sure! You’ve heard it, right JC?”

“Of course, he has, he produced the album.” Michelle replied.

This time it was JC that blushed. 

“Actually, I did produce the majority of the album, but not that particular track.  There were a couple of tracks that were done before I came on board.”

Justin grinned.  “You NEED to listen to that one.”

Alexis giggled.  “Umm…actually…that’s the 2nd single off the album.  It’s supposed to drop in a couple weeks.”

Justin’s grin grew a bit and he couldn’t help but shoot a look towards JC.

“YES!! Please tell me there’s going to be a video!” Justin exclaimed.

Alexis laughed now.  The fact that Justin Timberlake was excited about one of her songs was surreal to say the least.

“We’re working on a concept now. “

“I can’t wait!” Justin said shooting JC another look.

JC shot back a questioning one.  Apparently, he was going to have to listen to this track.  The way Justin was going on about it and giving him looks had definitely sparked his interest.

Truth be told, lunch with Justin and JC was a lot of fun.  They talked about music, among other things but it was completely casual.  It was perfect.

It also felt good to have everything out in the open between her and JC.  Now Alexis had to wait, and wonder as to what would happen next.  It was thrilling, but also scary as hell.

***

It was the end of July now.  JC and Alexis were talking daily, mostly on the phone or through text because of their busy schedules, but it was better than nothing.

On this particular morning Alexis was headed to the studio to start recording the song with *NSYNC.  She was both nervous and excited. 

The label had sent over a demo of the song and a copy of the lyrics several days before and from the moment she heard the song she knew it was going to be a hit.  It was THAT good!  She couldn’t wait to get started.

Alexis walked into the studio that morning to find the guys of *NSYNC already busy recording.  JC and Justin were in the booth when Alexis entered the studio while Joey, Chris and Lance were sitting with the producer and an engineer behind the control panel.

The song they were working on had a heavy beat with a bit of an electronic back beat but the moment JC opened his mouth and started to sing Alexis froze.

But you keep picking away

How much can one take

Before the walls start to break

You love to see me crumble

You love to see me fall

But you can’t break me down

His voice was so aggressive and gravely.  It was HOT as hell and she felt her temperature start to rise and the warmth in her cheeks as she stood there watching him.  His eyes were closed and he was putting all of the power in his voice into the song.  It was definitely getting to her.

“FUCK!” Alexis whispered to herself.

The things she was thinking and feeling right then would probably make even him blush.  Watching him in his element, doing the thing that he loved and seeing him put that much of himself into it was SEXY as HELL!

Moments later the sound of someone saying her name snapped her from her trance.

“Hey Alexis.” Justin said.

Alexis didn’t respond.

“Alexis?!”

Still nothing.

“Umm…Miss Moretti.”

Alexis blushed and shook her head a bit. 

“Sorry…I …umm…I guess I just got caught up in watching you guys do your thing.  That was…umm…yeah…impressive.” Alexis managed to reply.

“You liked it?” JC asked grinning.

Alexis nodded and tried with all her might to not blush more. 

“I did!  Really…I had no idea you guys could…DAMN! That was something.”

Justin chuckled while the others just smiled.

“We just might make you an *NSYNC fan yet.” Justin teased.

Alexis laughed at this. 

“Between you five and Michelle I would say that the chances are pretty high. I am not signing up for my “fangirl” card yet, but I have the application.”

All five men chuckled at this.  In fact, even the Producer and the Sound Engineer were chuckling a bit.

“We’ll take it.” Joey added with a grin.

“Are you ready?” JC asked smiling.

It was cute, and completely out of character to see her flustered like this.  Alexis wasn’t the type to get embarrassed or act shy so to see it with his own eyes was definitely a new experience for him.  Knowing he’d been partially responsible for it thrilled him.

“Am I ready to record a song with *NSYNC? Umm…if I am being honest, yes and no, but I told you I would and I am already here AND Michelle would KICK MY ASS if I didn’t.  Not to mention that whole breach of contract thing.  In other words, I am as ready as I am going to get.”

“Are you nervous Miss Moretti?” Lance asked chuckling a bit.

Alexis nodded.  “Very! I mean…you’re…well…you’re *NSYNC.  Even I know that’s a big FUCKING deal!”

“Don’t sweat it girl, you’re gonna rock this!” Justin replied grinning.

Alexis smiled and nodded.  “Thanks, Mr….”

Justin cut her off quickly with a wink and a smile.  “Nope.  Formalities aren’t necessary.  It’s Justin.”

Alexis nodded then looked to the others.  Joey and Chris both nodded.

“What do I call you?” Alexis asked looking to Lance.

Lance laughed.  “I would ask you the same thing.  Your name is Alexis, JC calls you Lexi and the rest of the world knows you as Danielle.  Which one do we use?”

Alexis giggled a bit and nodded. “That’s a fair question.  Alexis is fine.”

Joey, Chris, Lance and Justin all nodded and smiled.

“You can call me Lance.  Practically NO ONE calls me James anymore.” Lance replied.

“I think Lance suits you better.” Alexis said smiling.

Lance grinned.  “You’re not alone in that.”

“Should we get to it?” JC asked.

He was trying to hide his excitement as well as his nerves.  The idea of singing WITH Alexis was making him incredibly nervous.  Truth be told, he didn’t think he’d EVER been this nervous about a collaboration.  They’d worked with likes of Richard Marx, Lisa “Left Eye” Lopez and Nelly among others and he’d never felt as he did right then.

Alexis nodded.

She was nervous too.  She knew full well what a big deal recording with *NSYNC was, not to mention that she would now be sharing a booth with Josh.  It felt intimate, like she was sharing her soul and she wasn’t quite ready for that.

“How about we start with your vocals with Justin.” The producer suggested.

Alexis nodded then traded places in the booth with JC.  Without a word she placed the headphones over her ears and looked to Justin.

“You got this girl!” Justin said grinning.

Justin looked to the producer and the engineer and nodded.

“Whenever you’re ready.” He said grinning.

His part of the verse was first

Now as the summer fades I let you slip away

You say I’m not your type but I can make you sway

It makes you burn to learn you’re not the only one

I’ll let you be if you put down your blazing gun

Then Alexis came in.  And as soon as she opened her mouth the room was all smiles.

Now you’ve gone somewhere else far away I don’t know if I will find you

But you feel my breath on your neck, can’t believe I’m right behind you

They went through the first part of the song a few more times, making adjustments as needed but and not once did anyone on the other side of the glass stop grinning.

JC could NOT tear his eyes away from Alexis.  There was just something about seeing her, in the booth with Justin doing what they both loved that was making him weak in the knees, and her voice as she sang, it was making him dizzy.  She was INCREDIBLE and Justin had been absolutely right, she was PERFECT for this song.

“Girl, you are FIRE!” Justin said grinning during a break.

Alexis giggled. “Thanks.”

“I have to agree, this song is gonna be DOPE!” Joey added.

“Dope?! I didn’t know anyone still used that term.” Alexis teased.

Joey chuckled then shrugged.  “Your voice…it’s like a damn drug, so it seemed appropriate.”

Alexis blushed.  “Well, ok then.”

“Yeah, if you were in Florida back then, why weren’t you in the Mouse Club with Justin and JC? Why didn’t we ever meet you?” Chris chimed in.

Alexis smiled and then laughed a bit.  It made sense, Josh was their friend so of course, they were curious.

“I thought about auditioning.  My parents were cool with it, but then I got there and I chickened out.  As to the why we never met, you would have to ask Josh that question, but my guess would be that it was because things were already headed south with April by the time you guys came into the picture and he didn’t want to drag you into it.  That, and I was pretty busy doing my own thing by then.”

“That about sums it up.” JC said awkwardly.

It was the truth, but it did still sting a bit.

The short break was over and now it was JC’s turn in the booth with Alexis.  He stepped into the booth and placed the headphones over his ears then turned to face her.  Her eyes widened as she looked up at him. 

The playback started and as soon as Alexis opened her mouth to sing fire flashed in JC’s eyes.  His eyes were smoldering and it was directed right at her.

Sometimes you move so well it’s hard not to give in

JC licked his lips and sang back to her making the hair on the nape of her neck stand on end.

I’m lost I can’t tell where you end and I begin

The chemistry between them as they sang together was like watching fireworks explode.  It was like nothing anyone outside the booth had seen before.  It was magic.

It makes you burn to learn I’m with another man

I wonder if he’s half the lover that I am 

“DAMN!” Justin whistled when they finished the first round of takes.

“Right?! SHIT girl, are you sure you’ve never done a duet before?” Joey added.

Alexis laughed.  “Umm…once…when I was like 16, I got Michelle to do a duet with me for the school talent show, but not since then.”

“Wait?! What?! Michelle can sing?” JC asked in surprise.

Alexis shook her head and giggled. “Yes and no. She has good tone, and a little bit of range but she’s more into the hip-hop, rap and R & B thing.  You guys are like the exception to her rule.”

Justin laughed. “I would have never guessed that.”

Alexis laughed and then gave him a look.

“The rap in “Bang, Bang.”

“Yeah?” Justin asked raising an eyebrow.

“That was Michelle.  She came with me to the studio one day and we were just messing around.  She came up with it off the fly and they left it in.”

“SHUT UP?!” Justin exclaimed.

“She’d kill me if she knew I’d told you that, so maybe keep that between us.”

“Mum is the word.  But NOW that for sure is my favorite song on the album!”

Alexis giggled and nodded.  “Thanks.”

“I think I need to hear this song.” JC said chuckling.

Justin’s jaw dropped and the others couldn’t help but grin.

“DUDE! You haven’t yet?!” Justin exclaimed.

“No.  I’ve been meaning to. I just haven’t yet.” JC confessed smiling bashfully.

“You’re missing out.  That one is …yeah…”Joey added grinning.

Alexis giggled. “Ok, you guys need to stop, you’re making me blush.”

“It looks good on you, work it girl!” Lance teased.

“You four are going to get me in trouble.” Alexis laughed.

“Oh, HE is trouble alright.” Justin said nodding to JC.

 

Chapter 15 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

Chapter 15

New York

Amy bounced into April’s studio that morning with a grin on her face.  She had a plan and she couldn’t wait to tell April all about it. 

“Good morning April!” Amy said in an almost sing-song voice.

April was hunched over her sewing machine, sewing button holes into a shirt but looked up when she heard Amy’s voice.  Amy was grinning down at her, offering a cup of coffee in her outstretched hand.

“Umm…Hi…you’re awfully cheery this morning, evening for you.” April replied giggling.

Amy just smiled more. 

“It could be the three cups of coffee I’ve had this morning or it could be I am just really excited.”

“Three cups of coffee?! It’s only 9!” April exclaimed.

“I got up at 5.  I couldn’t sleep.  I was too excited.”

April put down her seam ripper and looked up at her friend/publicist/manager with a questioning look. 

“Ok, I’ll bite, why are you so excited?” April asked giggling.

“I have an idea!” Amy exclaimed.

“What is it?”

“Well, your collection has been getting some attention what with your sister’s music video and the album art work.   I’ve received a few calls from different labels so I was thinking you should do a fashion show in LA…”

April nodded. “Go on.”

“Send an invitation to some of the major music labels, maybe a few television and movie studios too, you know, just for good measure…”

April smiled and shook her head.  She knew all too well how excited Amy got when she had idea, lucky for April, they were usually good ones.

“Ok, sounds good so far, but what about models?  Most models are booked for the season, or won’t be available on short notice and it’s not like just anyone can rock my collection.”

Amy grinned.  “You wouldn’t need very many models, maybe 3 or 4 at the most and I happen to know 3 people who could TOTALLY rock your collection.”

April made a face.  “Oh really?! Who?!”

Amy smiled again, but it was more of a nervous smile.  She knew this probably wasn’t going to go over very well, but in her opinion, it was a GREAT idea and would give April some additional press with very little effort.

“Umm…well…you and your sisters.” Amy answered seriously.

April’s eyes narrowed and her lips pursed together tightly. 

“OH, HELL NO!” April growled.

“Why not? I think it’s a great idea.  You already know that Alexis looks good in your designs …”

“Why not?! Well, for one, I am a designer, not a model.  Two, Alexis HATES me and barely speaks to me, so yeah, she’s TOTALLY going to do me a favor, and three, Michelle will refuse just because she doesn’t want to be in the middle…again, and I don’t blame her.”

Amy nodded then sank down into a chair next to April.

“All valid points but look at this from my perspective.  One, you and Alexis have very similar body types so you already know the clothes will fit.  Lots of designers model their own designs so it wouldn’t be the first time.  The three of you are GORGEOUS! I know, I’ve seen some of your family photos.  The fact that you’re related is a unique selling point that other designers don’t have, and having Alexis as a model is a HUGE asset in terms of marketing.”

“She won’t do it!” April shot back.

“You haven’t asked her.” Amy replied.

“I don’t have to! Did you not hear me? She HATES me and barely speaks to me.”

Amy smiled.  “I heard you.  Use this an opportunity to get the two of you talking.”

“She’ll just hang up on me.” April replied sighing.

“So, then go out there.”

“Go to LA?” April exclaimed.

“Yeah. Sure. Why not?!  She can’t hang up on you if you’re standing in front of her.”

April laughed sarcastically. “Maybe not, but she can slam the door in my face.”

“I’ll go with you, be your buffer.  We can go to LA and you can talk to your sisters about doing the fashion show and bury the hatchet with Alexis.”

“It’s not going to work.” April sang sarcastically.

Amy grinned.  “You’re right, it won’t, at least not if you don’t try.”

April sighed heavily.  “It’s a good idea, it really is, but my sisters will never go for it.”

Amy nodded.  “You don’t have to make a decision today.  We’ve got some time.  Just think about it.  Like I said, if you want to go out to LA to talk to them, I will go with you.”

April nodded. “I’ll think about it.”

That night when April returned to her apartment, she quickly changed into a pair of pajama pants and a t-shirt then settled into bed with her laptop and a glass of wine.  She had a lot to think about.

***

LA

Josh: What are you doing tonight?

The collaboration with Alexis was finished.  The music video was in the pre-production/storyboard phase and for once, JC didn’t have any plans for the evening.  He was hoping Alexis didn’t either.

Alexis: washing my hair! 

JC chuckled.  That was one thing ALL of the Moretti girls had in common, they were all extremely sarcastic.

Josh: Well, you do have a lot of it

Alexis just smiled and shook her head.  She could only imagine where he was right now, and what he was doing.

Alexis: Did you have something in mind?

Josh: Would you want to come over? I’ll cook.

Alexis raised an eyebrow and giggled a bit.

Alexis: You can cook?

Josh: When I say “cook” what I really mean is I’ll order take out

Alexis laughed.  He was such a bachelor it wasn’t even funny.

Alexis:  How about I’ll come over and cook?

Josh: You can cook?

Alexis just laughed more.  He was cute, even when he wasn’t trying to be.

Alexis: I can.  Michelle and I typically take turns cooking.  It’s her turn tonight so she won’t be mad that I’m bailing.

Josh: See you in an hour?

Alexis: Sounds good, just text me your address so I know where I’m going

Josh: Got it

Within seconds of putting down her phone Alexis made a dash for her bathroom.  She wanted to freshen up a little bit before heading over to Josh’s place. 

Quickly, she peeled off her clothes and turned the water on in the shower.  She didn’t know what she was walking into but she had a feeling that something was going to happen.  Her shower was quick, but thorough.  She wanted to be ready for anything.

As soon as she was out of the shower Alexis shimmied into a pair of boyfriend cut underwear and matching bra.  Then she pulled on a purple V neck cotton T-shirt and a pair of jeans.  They were just going to be hanging out and having dinner at his house so there was no point in getting dressed up.

Alexis arrived at JC’s house exactly an hour from when JC had texted her.  She couldn’t help but smile and shake her head at the enormity of his house.  Of course, his house was HUGE, he was a famous Pop star/actor/producer.

“Hi.” JC said smiling as he held open the door.

“Hi.” Alexis smiled back.

“C’mon in.” JC said before stepping out of the doorway.

Alexis smiled again and stepped into the house.  It was definitely a bachelor pad but it suited him.  Everything looked clean and modern.  Leather couches, stainless steel appliances, and a few pieces of art. 

“Nice place.” Alexis said surveying her surroundings.

JC nodded. “Thanks.  It’s nothing too fancy, but I like it.”

“It suits you.”

“You think so?” He asked smiling.

Alexis nodded. 

He was dressed casually as well.  A pair of jeans and a t-shirt.  He screamed comfort and oozed sex appeal.

“So, what are you cooking?” JC asked as he looked her over.

Her brown hair fell down her back in waves and green eyes seemed to sparkle when she smiled.  Her jeans and t-shirt hugged her curves perfectly, leaving very little to the imagination.  She was gorgeous he thought.

“Excuse me?” Alexis asked confused.

“For dinner.” JC replied chuckling a bit.

“Food.” Alexis shot back with a smirk.

“What kind of food?” JC replied.

“Good food.” Alexis teased.

JC laughed.  “Well…yes…of course.”

Alexis giggled. “Let me see what we’ve got to work with.”

He grinned and started towards the kitchen with Alexis only a few steps behind him.  She was checking out his backside and laughing to herself.  It wasn’t the first time she’d checked him out and it certainly wouldn’t be the last, but she had to admit his looks had definitely improved over time.  He wasn’t as scrawny as she remembered him.  He had more meat on him now, more to grab on to.  She shook the thought from her head and followed him to the fridge. 

His fridge wasn’t completely empty but it wasn’t well stocked either.  However, it made sense.  He was a busy guy and probably wasn’t home much, especially now that he was working on album and prepping for a tour.

After a few minutes of perusing his fridge and pantry she approached the stove with some butter, a few tomatoes, garlic and some dry pasta.

JC raised an eyebrow as he pushed himself onto the counter top next to the stove to watch her.

“Do I dare even ask?” JC teased.

Alexis laughed.  “It’s pasta.  I’m ½ Italian, my grandmother would roll over in her grave if I messed this up.”

“Good point. The butter just threw me off.”

This time it was Alexis’s turn to tease him.

“It’s butter.  No real mystery there.”

JC chuckled.  “Maybe not for you.”

“Have you not ever had garlic & butter sauce?”

“I have…I just didn’t realize that was all that was in it.”

Alexis looked over at him and couldn’t help but giggle.  Even if he wasn’t trying to be, he was being incredibly cute.

“That’s literally what it’s called…Garlic butter sauce.  Again, no surprises there.”

He grinned.  “Well, you would know.  Want some wine?”

Alexis smiled. “Sure.”

“Red or White?” JC asked sliding down from the counter top.

“Hmm…white.  I’ve never been a big fan of red wine, it always tastes like Communion wine to me.”

JC laughed at this.  “Communion wine? Are you Catholic?”

Alexis made a face.  “Yes. Or at least I was raised Catholic…I thought you knew that.”

JC smiled as he a grabbed a bottle from the wine rack and the corkscrew from a drawer. 

“Must have slipped my mind.”

Alexis nodded then looked to him.  She could feel the sexual tension building between them.  It had been since that first day in the studio.

“Plates?” She asked finding her voice.

He nodded to the cupboard above her head.  He felt the tension between them too.  It was thick and quickly coming to a head.  Something was going to happen.  He knew it. He just hoped he was ready.

Moments later they were seated at his island counter eating quietly.

“This is good.” JC said between bites.

“You doubted me?” She teased.

He chuckled.  “No. Not at all.”

Then he got a bit more serious. 

“I’ve never doubted you for a second.”

She swallowed the bite of food she’d been chewing and looked up at him.  His blue eyes were deep and full of sincerity.

“Thanks.”

She really didn’t know how else to reply to him right then.  Normally, she had no problem with talking, to anyone, but right then she was really struggling with her words.

Taking a quiet breath, she raised her glass to her lips and took a long sip.  Both of their plates were empty and her belly was full but now what?

Not knowing what else to do Alexis stood and started to clear the dishes.

“What are you doing?” JC asked as she took his plate.

She smirked a bit.  “What does it look like?”

“You know I have a housekeeper.”

Alexis snorted. “Of course, you do!”

JC pretended to get defensive.  “Something wrong with that?”

Alexis giggled a bit and shook her head.  She knew he wasn’t really offended.

“Nope.  It just doesn’t surprise me, not that I blame you.  This house is MASSIVE, I would NOT want the chore of cleaning it regularly.”

He stood up then retrieved his empty wine glass from the counter.  He grabbed her glass as well, it was still half full.

Alexis took the glass when he offered it to her, downed the wine quickly then looked up at him.  He was all smiles.

“You ok?” He asked chuckling.

Alexis nodded. “Mmm Hmm.”

“Is this weird for you too?” He asked grinning.

She giggled.  “Maybe a little.”

He set his glass down next to the sink, then took hers and set it down as well.

“Would it be weird if I kissed you?” JC asked.

His voice had suddenly gotten quiet and he was standing close, really close so that she could feel his breath on her face.

“Was it weird the last time?” She replied quietly.

JC grinned and shook his head.  “Not at all!  It felt….”

Alexis didn’t give him a chance to respond.  She just went for it.  In the next moment, she had closed the gap between them, throwing her arms around his neck and quieting him with her lips.

“Mmm.” He moaned against her lips.

His arms went around her waist, his hands resting on the small of her back as he pulled her into him more.  Alexis couldn’t help but smile.  She’d been dreaming about this for eight years, maybe even longer, and now that it was happening, she could not control herself.   She pulled away briefly, but only long enough to catch her breath.  She smiled against his lips then began to gently tug at his bottom lip with her teeth.

JC chuckled a bit.  He was surprised by her brazenness but he wasn’t complaining in the least.

“Careful, Pretty lady!”

“Why? Am I turning you on?!” She whispered back, her eyes glinting.

He laughed, but his voice was low and it rumbled through him sending chills down her spine.

“You have NO idea!”

Alexis pulled back a bit and looked up at him, her eyes smiling at him mischievously.

“OH, I think I do Mr. Chasez!”

JC laughed more.  He loved that she wasn’t shy in the least.

“Do you now Miss Moretti?”

She grinned devilishly and nodded.  “I do!”

JC grinned down at her then winked, leaned forward and lifted her from the ground, tossing her over one shoulder.

Alexis squealed with laughter and grabbed at the back of his shirt as he carried her through the house and up the stairs towards the bedrooms.

“Put me down!” She laughed, half squealing.

He grinned and bit his lip as he continued through the house.  “No ma’am! Not until we reach our final destination!”

“Which would be where?” She giggled as she continued to grab at his shirt, placing her hands at his waist to hold herself up and keep the blood from rushing to her head.

“I think you know.” He teased back.

“Are you trying to seduce me Mr. Chasez?” She laughed.

“Abso-fucking-lutely Miss Moretti!” He said with a grin before tossing her down gently onto his California King size bed.

She grabbed hold of his shirt as he did, pulling it over his head and off, leaving him standing at the foot of the bed in just his jeans.

“No arguments here.” She giggled as she looked up at him.

He was standing there, smiling down at her with his blue eyes and that evil grin, still in his jeans but she had a feeling those would be gone quickly as well.  He looked GOOD! His chest, abs and arms had just the right amount of definition, not too much but just enough.  His shoulders looked toned and she actually liked the way his curls just brushed the top of his shoulder blades.  Then there was tiny bit of hair trailing down from his naval until it disappeared beneath the waistband of his jeans and the way that his hip bones jutted down, making the perfect V.  He was HOT as hell and she knew he knew it.

“Are you checking me out Miss Moretti?” He asked, looking at her.

The way she was biting her lip was a dead give-away but he LOVED it!

“Are you objecting?” She teased.

“Nope!” He said with a smirk.

In the next moment he was jumping onto the bed and climbing on top of her.  He immediately buried his head in her neck and started nibbling at her ear.  She giggled, then decided to tease him a bit as well.  Her hands quickly found the waistband of his jeans as he continued kissing her neck and nipping at her ear.  With her fingers she unfastened the button of his jeans then slowly started to unzip the zipper.

He groaned as the feel of her fingers grazed the fabric of his boxer briefs in that particular spot.

“GOD LEX!” He groaned.

“Yes Josh?!” She giggled, whispering back.

“Do you have any idea how BADLY I want you right now?”

Alexis bit her lip then lifted his head a bit so that he was looking at her.

She smiled against his lips then whispered her reply back to him.  “I think I might have an idea, but why don’t you show me?”

JC grinned then chuckled against her lips.  “Don’t say I didn’t warn you!”

JC stood from the bed then made quick work of removing his jeans before climbing back onto the bed and on top of her.  He straddled her, placing one knee on either side of her waist then reached for her jeans.  He unbuttoned them quickly then undid the zipper and used both hands to push them down over her hips and to her knees.  She was just in her panties and t-shirt now and that’s when he noticed her boyfriend cut underwear.  They were black, with a pink waistband and rode low on her hips, and he knew, without even looking that they showed off just a bit of cheek.  In other words, she’d worn them on purpose. 

Grinning down at her he reached down with one hand, pushed her panties to one side and began to tease her with his fingers.  She was warm and wet and more than ready for him.   She gasped and arched her back as his fingers slipped inside of her.

“JOSH!” She moaned loudly as he continued to wiggle his fingers inside of her.

He leaned forward and started to kiss her neck, all while still teasing her.

“MMM! Yes, Pretty lady?!” He replied, his voice low and gravely.

“Please?!” She pleaded softly.

“Please what?!” He teased.

“I want you.” She replied, her voice barely a whimper.

The things he was doing to her were making her crazy.

“MMM!  Do you now? How bad?” He said, lifting his head to look at her.

She giggled and grabbed his arm to stop him. “SO BAD! Since I was 16!”

“Is that so?” He chuckled.

She bit her lip and nodded.  He smiled then pulled his hand free and placed it gently on top of her panties, laying his palm flat against her.

“Can I take these off?” He said tugging gently at the waistband of her panties.

She grinned up at him.  “Only if I can take off yours.”

He laughed out loud, letting his head fall back a bit.  He had definitely met his match in terms of teasing and sarcasm.

“Done!”

Smiling and biting her lip Alexis took her hands and placed them at his waist then shoved his boxer briefs down over his hips and to his knees with one quick movement.  Meanwhile, he’d managed to yank hers off with very little effort.

She looked down at him, ALL of him and couldn’t help but grin.

“Someone’s excited!” She snickered.

“That’s YOUR fault! You asked for it!” He smirked.

“I did!” She giggled.

JC smiled then grabbed her hips lifting them to meet him as he slowly pushed his own hips forward and slipped himself inside of her.

“GOD! You feel GOOOOOD!” He groaned.

“OH!” She moaned as her eyes fluttered closed and she rocked her hips up to meet him.

Back and forth he moved, slowly and gently thrusting himself inside of her all while grabbing her hips to steady himself.  She matched his rhythym and rocked her hips to meet him each time.  She grabbed at the sheets beside her, balling them into her fist as her knuckles went white.  He knew exactly what he was doing.

“LEXI!” He groaned before losing himself.

“Wow!” She whispered as he collapsed gently on top her.

“MMM! Yes…WOW!  You’re…” He chuckled.

She pushed him off her a bit and grinned up at him.

“You doubted me?!” She teased.

He laughed into her neck.  “NEVER!”

“Good!”

“Are you ok?” He asked searching her eyes.

She giggled.  “OH, I am better than ok!”

“Good!” He replied grinning.

JC flopped down onto the bed beside her and instantly pulled her close.

“I have to admit, you’re DAMN GOOD at that.” Alexis said as she snuggled up against him.

“I’ve had some practice.” He said blushing awkwardly.

“I heard.” She smirked.

“I’ll bet…but Lex…you don’t have to worry about that.”

“Don’t I?” She replied, her tone serious.

He shook his head and popped a kiss on her lips.

“Nope. I promise…it’s just you, for as long as you want it to be.  I’ve screwed up enough with you already.  I won’t do it again.”

“I’m going to hold you to that.” She replied grinning.

“Please do.” He replied before popping another kiss on her lips.

Chapter 16 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

August 2006

Los Angeles

“What are we doing?” Michelle asked, sitting in the passenger seat of Alexis’s blue Volkswagen beetle.

“Shopping.” Alexis replied.

“I got that much, but why on a Tuesday at 11 a.m.?” Michelle replied.

Alexis grinned over at her sister.  “Because it’s Tuesday at 11 a.m.!”

Michelle smirked. “I know, I literally just said that.”

Alexis giggled a bit.  “Meaning, most people are at work or school so less chance of me being recognized AND because Josh’s birthday is coming up and I want to get him a present.”

Michelle grinned evilly.  “Then we should go to Michael’s, not Target.”

“Why Michael’s?” Alexis asked making a face.

Michelle grinned more.  “They sell ribbon at Michael’s…just buy a spool of ribbon, wrap yourself up in it…done!”

Alexis snorted then swatted at her sister.  “Shut up!”

Michelle just laughed.  “He’d love it!”

Alexis swatted at her sister more.  “Probably, but NO!  I’m not doing that.”

“So, then what are you getting him?” Michelle asked as they both stepped out of the car.

“I have no idea! He probably has everything he could ever want or need but I still want to get him SOMETIHNG.  I just don’t know what.  I was hoping I would see something that would inspire me.”

Michelle nodded.  She understood.  Shopping for someone like Josh wasn’t easy.

“Well, besides getting him a present do you have plans for his birthday?” Michelle asked as they entered Target.

Alexis nodded.  “His birthday is exactly a week away.  SO…Justin and the other guys are planning to take him out for Drinks, Appetizers and Dessert this Saturday.  They are inviting some of his friends …and me.  Then I am planning something just the two of us for his actual birthday.”

Michelle nodded and smiled.  “Justin told me about that.  I’m invited too.”

Alexis looked at her sister, smirked a bit and shook her head.  “You and Justin, huh?”

Michelle blushed.  “It’s completely casual.  Nothing serious.”

Alexis laughed at this.  “Which means you’re TOTALLY having sex with him.”

Michelle stopped, placed her hands on her hips and made a face at her sister.  “Actually, NO! I’m not.  He’s being a total gentleman.”

Alexis softened and smiled.  “Good because I’d kick his ass if he wasn’t!  I don’t care if he did bring “Sexy Back”! He hurts you and he’s toast.”

Michelle laughed.  “You and April…always so protective of me.  I’m a big girl, I can handle myself.”

Alexis nodded. “Oh, I know that you can but you’re my little sister and you will always be my little sister so I am always going to look out for you.  It’s called being your big sister.”

Michelle cracked a smile and dropped her hands from her hips.  “Thanks!  What about you and Josh?”

Alexis blushed.  “What about me and Josh?”

“Are the two of you …you know…”

Alexis grinned and bit her lip.  “Maybe.”

Michelle laughed.  “Maybe my ass! You TOTALLY are!”

“Once.  We have once…so far.” Alexis replied blushing.

“And?” Michelle urged.

Alexis blushed more if possible.  “AND OH MY GOD!”

Michelle busted up laughing.  “I TOLD YOU! He’s a freak!”

Alexis shook her head and giggled.  “It wasn’t like that…but…I will say the man DEFINITELY knows what he is doing.”

Michelle nodded.  “Well, I would hope so, goodness knows he has had plenty of practice.”

Alexis smiled.  “He said I would be the only one for as long as I wanted to be.”

Michelle smirked.  “Smart man!”

“He has his moments.” Alexis giggled.

Michelle nodded.  “Ok, so I know what I am getting him.  We need to figure out what you’re getting him.”

Alexis stopped walking and looked at her sister.  “What are you getting him?”

The look on Michelle’s face was evil, like she was plotting something but she didn’t say anything.  Instead, she grinned and then motioned for her sister to follow.

They meandered their way through the store until they got to the men’s section at the back of the store.  Alexis followed her sister to the back wall where the underwear were located and watched in disbelief as Michelle grabbed a package of white Fruit of the Loom underwear from a hook, then smiled with complete satisfaction.

Alexis raised an eyebrow and tried not to laugh at her sister.

“You’re getting Josh “tighty whites” for his birthday? WHY are you getting Josh “tighty whites” for his birthday?”

Michelle grinned. “It’s in the *NSYNC Rider! Josh requests a new package of underwear and socks at every show, Fruit of the loom to be specific.  He wears them once and then throws them away.”

Alexis laughed.  “No, he does NOT!”

“He does! Ask Justin!”

Alexis couldn’t stop laughing. 

“And you know this how?”

Michelle smirked.  “It’s a well known *NSYNC fact!”

Alexis shook her head.  “You’re such a brat!”

“I know!” Michelle teased.

Alexis giggled and shook her head a bit more.  “Well, I’m not getting him underwear OR socks so we need to figure something else out.”

“We?! I don’t know what this “WE” business is you speak of, I already found my present.” Michelle teased.

“I could use your help, ok?” Alexis huffed.

Michelle giggled.  “I’m kidding, of course, I will help you.”

They wandered the store for what seemed like forever but still weren’t having much luck in the gift department. 

“WHY? Why does shopping for a guy have to be so difficult?” Alexis groaned as they stood near the media/electronics section at the back of the store.

“You know, he’d probably say the same thing about you.” Michelle snickered.

“I’m easy…”

Michelle made a face and Alexis swatted at her sister again.

“Not like that!  UGH! You are annoying sometimes!”

Michelle softened a bit.  She knew this was important to her sister but it was still fun to tease her.

“I know what you meant.  I’m just giving you shit.  Maybe you’re not finding anything because you weren’t meant to buy him something from a store.  Maybe you were meant to give him something more meaningful…something that means something to both of you.”

Alexis stood quiet for a moment, deep in thought.  Michelle had a point.  It was then, as she was standing there in the Media section of Target that two things happened.  First, she looked up at the giant televisions above her and her jaw dropped.  There, on every screen was her face.  It was the “Jar of Hearts” video!

“OH MY GOD!” Alexis gasped.

“What?” Michelle asked confused.

Alexis nodded to the screens above her.

Michelle looked up and grinned. “HELL YEAH!  That’s my sister!”

“SHH! Not so loud! Do you want to make a scene?”

Michelle blushed.  “Oh yeah, no, but that’s freaking BAD ASS!”

Alexis smiled then giggled a bit.  “It is, isn’t it?”

It was then, as she was looking up at her face on the screen that the second thing happened.  She got an idea.

She grabbed Michelle by the hand and started dragging her through the store to the Home Décor section.

“Where are we going?” Michelle asked as she hustled to keep up.

“I have an idea…I just hope I can find the original.”

“Original what?”

“Picture.”

“What picture?” Michelle asked confused.

They were now standing in the picture frame aisle.  Alexis was examining the picture frames carefully, one by one, hoping to find the perfect frame for the picture she had in mind.

“What picture?” Michelle repeated.

Alexis smiled wistfully.  “I have this picture…somewhere…in a box, I think.  It’s a black and white photo of me and Josh.  I don’t remember who took it, maybe April, maybe Dale or Tony but it’s the two of us.  He’s trying to give me a piggy back ride and we are both laughing.  It’s one of my favorite photos and I had completely forgotten about it until just now.”

Michelle beamed.  “It sounds perfect.”

Alexis smiled and nodded.  “It is. I just hope I can find it so I can get a copy made in time.”

Michelle nodded as she started to pick through the frames.  “It’s a black and white photo?”

Alexis nodded. 

“Then, you need a rustic frame…something like…something like this!” Michelle exclaimed as she pulled a weathered wood frame from the shelf.

It was light weathered wood with a silver band around the edges and it came in several different sizes.

Alexis grinned.  “What size is that?”

“4 x 6” Michelle answered.

“Is there a 5 x 7?”

Michelle nodded and pulled the 5 x 7 from the shelf.

Alexis was all smiles.  “Done! Now, I just have to find the photo!”

***

It was the day of JC’s birthday party.  Justin and the other members of *NSYNC had reserved most of the patio at “Dama” a swanky Latin restaurant in LA’s fashion district.  Alexis and Michelle would both be in attendance as well as the rest of *NSYNC and few of JC’s other close friends but no one Alexis or Michelle knew other than the group.

Alexis was slightly bummed. She had hoped that Tony and Dale would be there but Tony lived in Nashville now and Dale had returned to Dallas to be closer to his family.

“WOW!” JC breathed out as Alexis and Michelle entered the patio area.

Alexis was dressed in a pair of leopard print shorts and a black, ruffled silk tank top.  She looked GORGEOUS!

“DAMN ladies!” Justin whistled as they approached.

Both girls blushed and giggled.

Alexis slid into the booth next to JC while Michelle sat between her and Justin leaving Joey, Chris and Lance on the ends.  The other guests were sprinkled around the patio.  *NSYNC security as well as Kenny were also mingling about, keeping tabs and keeping any would be overzealous fans at bay.

“MMM…Pretty Lady…you look…WOW…just WOW!” JC whispered in Alexis’s ear.

Alexis grinned and bit her lip then gave JC the once over.  He was dressed in a pair of dark wash denim jeans and an orange, grey and white striped button down with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows and the top two buttons undone. 

“You’re lookin’ mighty FINE there too Handsome.” Alexis whispered back.

“Are you checking me out?” JC asked grinning.

“Absolutely!” Alexis giggled.

“No arguments here.” JC replied before popping a kiss on her cheek.

Appetizers and drinks were served shortly after and for a while everyone just talked, mingled and enjoyed the California sun.  It was the perfect August afternoon.  The sun was shining, there was a slight breeze and everyone was enjoying themselves.

About an hour and half into the party however, things started to take a dramatic turn.

The members of *NSYNC had only reserved half the patio, meaning the front half near the entrance was still open for other guests. 

Alexis was casually sipping on a Pina Colada and listening to JC and the other guys of *NSYNC as they chatted about sports and music and the upcoming album.  Alexis happened to look up at the entrance to the patio just as a waiter escorted two women out onto the patio.  The first, was tall and blonde.  She was dressed in a pair of distressed jeans and a flowy white top with her blonde hair pulled back in a pony tail.  However, it was the second woman who grabbed her attention.  She wasn’t as tall as the blonde but she wasn’t short either.  She was dressed in a floral romper with a halter top and her long dark hair was pulled up in a messy bun on top of her head with whisps that fell down framing her face. 

The woman turned slightly and as soon as Alexis caught her profile the Pina Colada she had just taken a sip of came shooting out her nose as she choked on her drink.

“WHAT THE FUCK!” Alexis exclaimed as she started to stand.

“What’s wrong?” JC asked worriedly.

Alexis didn’t answer the question she just scooted her way past Chris and Joey and headed for the other side of the patio.

“Excuse me gentlemen.” Alexis snarled through gritted teeth.

Meanwhile, Michelle followed Alexis’s trail with her eyes and nearly spit out her own drink when she realized what was happening.

“FUCK! Really?!” Michelle groaned as she started to stand to follow her sister.

“What’s going on?” Justin asked as the men all shot each other looks of confusion.

Michelle looked to Lonnie and Kenny who were standing next to the booth. 

“You might want to prepare yourselves …I might actually need pass interference on this play.” Michelle said nodding to the other side of the patio.

“Why? Where are you going? What’s going on?” Kenny asked as everyone looked to the other side of the patio.

“Where am I going? Well…gentleman…I’m going to do what I’ve been doing for the past eight years…keep my SISTERS from killing each other!” Michelle snapped.

“Wait?! What?! April is here?! Where?!” JC sputtered, his jaw dropping to the floor.

Michelle smirked.  “Floral jumper, 12:00.”

“That’s April?” Justin asked, his eyes wide. 

She was pretty and she did have some of the same features as Michelle and Alexis, but she and Alexis were definitely NOT identical.

“I thought she lived in New York?” Lance asked.

“She does.” Michelle sighed.

“So, what’s she doing here?” Joey chimed in.

“No FUCKING clue! She never said a word to me about coming to LA.”

JC felt his blood run cold as he watched Alexis, and then Michelle head towards April.  He hadn’t seen April in over eight years but it didn’t matter, the words she’d said were still fresh in his brain as if they had just happened.

***

“I’m sorry Josh, I can’t do this. I don’t love you anymore.”

“What?! Don’t say that! You don’t mean it!”

“I do mean it!  I don’t love you! I don’t think I ever did!”

“Do you love him?”

“Him? Him who?”

“Whomever it is you’re cheating on me with?”

“You think I’m cheating on you?”

“I KNOW you are? I’ve known for a while.”

She nodded.  “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt you…I just…I just couldn’t be tied down.  I can’t be with just one guy…not right now.”

“You could have told me that! You could have been honest with me!”

“I’m sorry…”

“Don’t! Don’t you dare April!  Don’t you dare try to apologize because you’re not sorry…you’re just sorry you got caught.”

***

The host had just walked away from the table.  April and Amy had just sat down when Alexis appeared at the table.  Her eyes were on fire and she was glaring down at her sister.

“What are YOU doing here?” Alexis spat out, her voice low.

“Well, “hello” to you too! If you must know I’m having lunch with my Publicist.  What are you doing here?” April replied calmly.

Inside she was still reeling from shock.  Of all the places she could have picked in LA to have lunch it had to be the one place that Alexis was at as well.  She wasn’t at all ready to face her sister yet, she had hoped she would have time to mentally prepare herself for that interaction but here they were.

“I meant here in LA, we agreed …you would stay on the East coast and I would stay on the west.” Alexis shot back.

April had to fight a smile.  “SO, when you go on tour…you’re going to just skip the whole East coast? I’m sure the label will LOVE that!”

“Wait?!  Tour?!  Label?!  April, is this your sister?” Amy asked in disbelief.

However, now that she was taking the time to actually look at the women standing above them, she realized that it was, in fact, April’s twin; Alexis.

“Yup!” April replied smirking a bit.

Alexis ignored the other woman and glared down at her sister again.

“I’m going to ask you ONE more time, what are you doing here?”

April sighed.  She knew where Alexis’s hatred of her came from, and to be honest, she didn’t blame her in the least.

“The truth?” April replied taking a breath.

“Are you even capable of telling the truth?” Alexis shot back.

April closed her eyes briefly and tried to calm herself.  This was going to get ugly, she’d known that since the moment she’d stepped off the plane that morning.  She just hadn’t expected it would happen at a restaurant in the heart of LA.

“I know it might be hard for you to believe, but actually, I am, and the truth is I came to LA to see YOU!”

April’s response took Alexis by surprise.  She hadn’t expected that at all, but at the same time she wasn’t ready to believe that April didn’t have ulterior motives, not yet anyway.

“Me?! We’ve barely spoken in eight years and NOW you want to talk to me? Why?” Alexis snapped.

“Would you like to sit down?” April replied motioning to a chair.

“NO!  You still haven’t told me why you’re here…in LA!” Alexis exclaimed.

“Yes, I did!” April snapped back as she started to stand.

People were starting to take notice.  Meanwhile, Michelle had just appeared at the table.

“PLEASE! Please you two…don’t make a scene!  We’re out in public, you’re both high profile now, it’s Josh’s birthday party…” Michelle pleaded quietly.

“JOSH?!  Josh is here?!” April exclaimed as sick feeling settled in the pit of her stomach.

April’s eyes started to dart around the restaurant looking for Josh.  She looked back towards where Alexis had come from and that was when she saw him, seated at a booth surrounded by the rest of *NSYNC, his eyes on her and wide with surprise.

“Leave him alone! Haven’t you hurt him enough already?” Alexis growled.

“I actually came here to apologize…to all of you!” April shot back.

“A bit too late for that, don’t you think?” Alexis smirked.

April was losing her patience quickly. 

“LOOK!...”April shouted causing pretty much everyone on the patio to turn their heads.

Michelle groaned. 

“NO! You look…both of you…” Michelle intervened.

The fire in her eyes told both Alexis and April to listen.   Meanwhile, across the patio the members of *NSYNC as well as the other guests were straining to hear.  JC felt like he was going to be sick.  Just watching the three Moretti girls stand there, glaring at each other was enough to make him nauseous.  Not to mention bring back memories from the past he’d tried for the last eight years to bury.

“I’m DONE!  I am done being the referee in your “Celebrity death match” so here’s what is going to happen…April, you’re going to gather your purse and whatever other belongings you have with you and meet us outside in five minutes…” Michelle started.

“But…”April protested.

“But NOTHING, it’s not a suggestion!  Alexis, you’re going to come with me and say “goodbye” to Josh and the others.  Then, you and I are going to join April outside and the THREE of us are going back to the condo and NO ONE is leaving until you two air out your SHIT!”

“OH, HELL NO!” Alexis shot back through gritted teeth.

Michelle gave her sister a withering look.  “I’m NOT negotiating, you’re coming!”

“The HELL I am!”

Michelle looked to Alexis, then back towards the opposite end of the patio where Kenny and Lonnie were poised to move.  She gave Kenny a look and he nodded.  He understood.

“Don’t make me call for back-up?” Michelle smirked nodding towards the two large men.

“You wouldn’t?!” Alexis asked in disbelief.

“Try me!” Michelle smirked.

“Fine! You can say “goodbye” to Josh for me, be sure to let him know this was your idea, not mine” Alexis sneered.

“Fine.” Michelle grumbled before turning on her heel.

Five pairs of eyes widened as Michelle approached the table.  She did NOT look happy.  Without saying a word, she grabbed her purse and pulled her wallet out.  She undid the zipper then handed a debit card to Justin.

“Tequila! I need Tequila! Good, bad, I don’t care, but preferably more than one bottle.” Michelle explained quickly.

Justin raised an eyebrow.  He was beyond curious.  They all were.

“Umm…ok…sure…may I ask why?”

Michelle nodded back towards her sisters, who were still standing at the table, silently glaring at each other. 

“Because I am SO OVER this SHIT! I’m locking the two of them in the house and not letting either of them out until they air out their baggage or kill each other…whichever comes first.” Michelle smirked.

Justin couldn’t help but chuckle.  “Ok, so then the Tequila is for you?”

Michelle grinned. “Mostly, yes!”

“Gotcha!” Justin replied nodding.

“Why is April here?” JC managed to get out.

He wasn’t sure he wanted the answer but had decided he needed to ask anyway.

Michelle’s eyes softened as she looked back at him.  She smiled and sighed a little.

“She says she is here to apologize to all of “us” which I am going to guess includes you, and well, I don’t think I need to tell you how we Moretti girls are once we put our minds to something.  In other words, you might want to start preparing yourself now because I have a feeling that she’s not leaving LA until she’s had her say.” Michelle explained.

“Maybe I better get a bottle for us too.” Justin smirked.

Michelle nodded.  “Go for it!”

Justin smiled and handed the card back to Michelle. 

“No worries. I got this!  I’ll bring you the good stuff…sounds like you’re going to need it.”

“Thanks.” Michelle replied cracking a smile.

Then she leaned in a planted a kiss on JC’s cheek and smiled as she pulled away.

“Happy birthday Josh! I’m sorry I am kidnapping Lexi but I PROMISE I will have her call you as soon as the dust settles.”

“You better.” JC said forcing a smile.

This was NOT at all how his birthday party was supposed to go. He didn’t like it.

“Oh yeah, before I forget, your presents from Lexi and I are in the bag underneath the table.  You can open them whenever you like, you don’t have to wait until your actual birthday.”

“Thanks.”

Michelle nodded then turned to Lonnie and Kenny, directing her gaze towards Lonnie first.

“Do you think I could borrow you for a second? I think the two of them might need some motivation to leave and well, I’m not strong enough to drag them both, nor do I want to create an even bigger scene.”

Lonnie nodded. “Sure thing.”

Minutes later Michelle, Alexis, and April were piled into Michelle’s car headed back to the condo.  No one was saying anything.  Alexis and April both had their arms crossed and were currently staring at the window.  Meanwhile, Michelle was trying to focus on the road.

Once they reached the condo Michelle followed both girls inside then locked the door behind them.  She placed a chair behind the door then sat, blocking the exit.

“We have a back door.” Alexis smirked.

“We do, but I have your keys, remember?  You had me put them in my purse at the party, so even if you left, you’d have to walk.”

“I could call Josh.  He’d come get me.”

Michelle laughed.  “You could, but I have your phone too.”

“Ok, maybe she can’t leave, but I can.” April shot back.

“You could try.” Michelle replied evilly.

“I could call Amy, she’d come get me.” April reasoned.

“I think your publicist knows better than to cross me, and besides, you were the one that said you came here to apologize.  Not to mention the fact that I have Kenny watching the back and I GUARANTEE you’re not getting past him.”

“God! Are you always this infuriating?!” April huffed.

“Not always, just when necessary.”

“THIS is necessary?” April huffed.

“OH, THIS is 100% necessary! I’m DONE being the middle man! DONE! So …here is how this works, Alexis you’re going to go to your room and change into something comfortable.  April, you can go to my room and borrow something of mine. Sweats, shorts, yoga pants, I don’t care! Then the two of you are going to come back in here and actually TALK to each other! Scream, yell, I really don’t care but you’re NOT leaving until this BULLSHIT between you is settled once and for all.”

“Bullshit?” Alexis snapped.

“It’s BULLSHIT!  It’s been eight years, and yeah, I know Josh is back in the picture now and that complicates things but FUCK…enough is enough!  Now go change, both of you!” Michelle snapped.

“Who are you? Mom?” April snickered.

“Nope! Just the sister that has had to put up with your SHIT and be the peace keeper for the past eight years and I’m OVER IT!”

10 minutes later both April and Alexis returned to the living room, both dressed in sweats and t-shirts.  Michelle noticed that April had chosen an *NSYNC t-shirt from her stash and suddenly had to fight not to laugh.  Whether April had done it on purpose or just grabbed a shirt without looking it definitely added to the experience.

A little over an hour later there was a knock at the door.  Michelle suspected that it was Justin with the Tequila but was also praying it wasn’t JC.  That was all she needed.  April and Alexis hadn’t moved from their spots and neither had said a word.  They just sat there, staring down at their hands, neither wanting to be the first to speak.

Michelle shook her head and stood from her chair in front of the door, unlocked the deadbolt and slipped outside but stayed in front of the door, blocking it.

It was Justin.  He was standing on the front porch, with a canvas reusable shopping bag in his hand and a tentative smile on his face.

“Well, I don’t hear screaming.  That’s a good sign.”

Michelle cracked a smile.  “They aren’t talking, neither one of them.”

“It’s been over an hour.” Justin said in shock.

“We Morettis, we’re stubborn.”

“Apparently.” Justin chuckled.

“How is Josh?” Michelle asked sincerely.

Justin chuckled.  “Umm…ok…brooding.  We are all meeting up at my place.  We didn’t think he should be left alone right now.”

Michelle nodded. “Smart thinking.”

“We have our moments.” Justin teased.

Michelle laughed.  “Well, you are back together so there is that.”

Justin smiled and shook his head and handed Michelle the bag.

“Thanks for this.” Michelle replied taking the bag.

She peeked inside and her eyes widened.  He’d gotten the GOOD stuff.  

“Justin…you didn’t have to…”

Justin grinned.  “Like I said, I got you!  Based on the little bit I know about you and your sisters I figured the situation called for something better than Jose Cuervo.”

Michelle laughed.  “Good point, but this is Espolon, isn’t it like $200 per bottle? I don’t have that kind of money.”

Justin grinned devilishly.  “I’ll figure out a way for you to pay me back.”

Michelle blushed then giggled. “Get out of here!”

“Call me tomorrow?” Justin asked grinning.

Michelle nodded.  “As soon as I can.”

Once back inside the house Michelle proceeded to the kitchen with the bag and then busied herself with searching for some shot glasses.  After a few minutes spent digging through cupboards Michelle was able to find three shot glasses. 

Smiling to herself she arranged everything on a tray, then carried the tray to the living room and set it down on the coffee table between her two sisters.  Then, without saying a word she opened the Tequila bottle, poured three shots and then sat down on the carpet facing them.

“Fine, neither of you want to talk, maybe a little liquid courage will motivate you.” Michelle smirked before taking the first shot.

“No salt or limes?” Alexis asked making a face.

“This is the GOOD shit, we don’t need salt or limes with this.” Michelle replied.

April picked up the bottle to look at it more closely.  She noticed the label and her eyes went wide.

“Espolon?! How did you get Espolon?” April asked.

“I have my ways.” Michelle smirked.

April grabbed her shot glass and downed it quickly then set it back down on the coffee table.

“I’m sorry!” She blurted out.

“Oh, NOW you’re sorry?!” Alexis snapped back before grabbing her own shot glass.

Alexis tossed the shot back then set her glass back down on the coffee table.  Immediately, Michelle began to pour a 2nd round.

“I am! I am SO sorry Alexis! I had NO idea! If I had known…” April said before grabbing her 2nd shot.

Alexis’s green eyes darkened as she looked over at her twin.

 “If you had known what?” Alexis snapped.

“That you were in love with Josh.” April shot back.

Both girls were now 2 shots down and grabbing for their third.  Michelle, however, was already pouring her fourth.

“What makes you think I was in love with Josh?”

“OH, COME ON?! You’re STILL in love with Josh!” April yelled.

“And this matters to you now, why?”

Alexis was seething by this point.

“Why? YOU’RE MY SISTER! THAT’S WHY!”

“NO! I’M ONLY YOUR SISTER WHEN IT’S CONVENIENT FOR YOU!” Alexis screamed back.

“Is that really what you think?”

“Prove me wrong!” Alexis snapped.

April’s eyes narrowed and she started to stand. “GOD! YOU ARE INFURIATING!”

Meanwhile, Michelle sat back and just watched, shaking her head and smirking a bit.  She’d been waiting for a blow up like this for eight years.  FINALLY, they were getting somewhere.

“The feeling is mutual!”

“Look, I get it! You hate me! You hate me because I broke his heart.  I hate me for that too.  There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t hate myself a little for what I did”

“GOOD!” Alexis snapped.

“Are you really this much of a BITCH?!” April replied.

“LOOK WHO’S TALKING?”

April just sighed and settled back down on the couch.  Although this wasn’t how she had planned this would go this was exactly what she’d come to LA to do.

“I was selfish! I was only thinking about myself!”

“Keep going.” Alexis smirked.

April didn’t glorify Alexis’s remark with a reply, but she did keep talking.  She needed to get it all out.  That was why Michelle had locked them up in the first place.

“I was young, we all were.  Too young to be in a relationship that serious.  Regardless, I shouldn’t have cheated on him.  That was wrong! I know that!  I knew that then!  What I didn’t know was how YOU felt about him, but I should have.  As your SISTER I should have seen it.”

“How? How did you not know? He was my Best Friend! So were you!” Alexis whispered as tears started to well her in eyes.

“I know.” April whispered back.

The three girls sat quiet for several minutes.  Both Alexis and April were on the verge of tears.  There was still a lot that needed to be said.

“He told me he couldn’t look at me because my eyes reminded him of you.” Alexis said quietly.

April sucked in a breath.  In the eight years of fighting Alexis had never once mentioned that.

“He said that?!” April exclaimed.

“Wait?! You didn’t know that?” Michelle chimed in.

“You did?!” April replied.

Michelle nodded.

April sighed heavily and shook her head. 

“I know that “I’m sorry” doesn’t fix this.  I know that I could say “I’m sorry” until my last breath and it still wouldn’t make up for what I did, but I am sorry.  I am SO sorry Lexi.  I shouldn’t have cheated on him.  I shouldn’t have told him I didn’t love him.  I did love him, on some level, just not the way you did or do.  You do love him, don’t you?”

Alexis nodded but didn’t speak.

April cracked a smile.  “Yeah, I kinda figured that out after watching your video.”

Alexis’s eyes widened.  “You watched the video?”

This time, it was April that nodded.

“It’s beautiful, painful to watch, but beautiful and you look INCREDIBLE in that dress!”

Alexis smiled just a little. “It’s a GORGEOUS dress!”

“Did you know it was my design?” April asked curiously.

“Not at first.  Not until I fell in love with it.”

“I can imagine how that went.” April smirked.

“I really wanted to HATE it, but I couldn’t, it was too perfect.”

April nodded.  “I think on some level I made it with you in mind.  Then, when I saw the video…you in MY dress…and the Josh look alike…you know, I broke my favorite coffee mug watching that video.  You did that on purpose, didn’t you? The Josh look alike I mean.”

Alexis smirked.  “Yes.  I wrote the song the day I found out Josh was going to produce the album.”

“You wrote that in a day?!” April exclaimed.

Alexis smiled and nodded.

April smirked.  “Well, I always knew you were talented, now so does everyone else.”

“Thanks.  You’re pretty talented yourself.” Alexis replied.

April nodded.  “I’m trying! Goodness knows it hasn’t been easy.  Fashion is a very fickle industry.”

“So is music.” Alexis answered.

April laughed a little. “I can see that.  Lucky for me, my designs have been getting a bit more attention lately. I think I have you to thank for that.”

“Me?!” Alexis replied confused.

April nodded.  “Yes, YOU! The video, your album art work.  YOU are the new BIG deal in music and people are starting to take notice of MY designs because YOU wore them.  I could NEVER pay for that kind of publicity, not right now anyway.  Which is the other reason I came here…”

“I KNEW IT! I knew you had some ulterior motive for coming here.  SO, what is it? What do you want?” Alexis snapped.

Michelle groaned and fell back onto the floor.  Just when she thought they were actually getting somewhere.

April nodded.  “I know what you’re thinking and I don’t blame you in the least.  I don’t. If it were me, I would be thinking the same thing, but believe me, it’s not like that.”

“Why should I believe you? Tell me, why should I listen to a word that comes out of your mouth?”

April nodded.  “I get it! For the past eight years we’ve barely spoken for more than just a few minutes, and only then when absolutely necessary.  You have every right to be skeptical.  You have every right to NOT believe me. I don’t blame you in the least, but PLEASE just hear me out, then you can go back to hating me, if that’s what you want.”

Alexis huffed and blew a strand of hair out of her face.

“Fine! Talk!”

“I knew when I saw that video that it was time, time to start facing my mistakes, time to start taking responsibility for what I had done to the people I care about, but I didn’t know how.  I knew I couldn’t just pick up the phone, but I also knew I couldn’t just show up here.  I knew you would hang up on me or slam the door in my face and I would have been ok with that.  I deserved it, but I knew I had to try.  Then Amy came up with this CRAZY idea! I told her it wouldn’t work.  I told her you would say “no.” I told her that there was no way either of you would agree to it because Alexis, YOU hate me and Michelle, YOU hate being put in the middle.”

April paused to catch her breath.  She was taking a huge risk here, playing all her cards at once but it was either this way or not at all.

“Go on.” Alexis urged.

She would have been lying to herself if she didn’t admit she was at the very least curious as to what April was about to propose.

“Amy insisted I at least try.  She told me to use it as an opportunity to get us talking.  I told her it wouldn’t work, that you would just see it as an excuse to get you to do something for me, which I can see is exactly what’s happening, but I knew she was right.  I knew that I had to at the very least try.  Regardless of what you thought, or how you felt about me I had to TRY to make things right.  So, yeah, there are two reasons for me being here, but the first, the MOST important one is because I want to TRY to fix things between us.”

“What’s the second?” Michelle asked cautiously.

Michelle knew that Alexis probably wanted to ask as well but probably couldn’t at the moment, so she asked for both of them.

“Amy thinks I should do a fashion show, here in LA…”

“AND?” Alexis urged with a smirk.

“And, she thinks the three of us should model my line.”

Alexis snorted loudly. “Oh, I bet she does!”

April smirked and shook her head.  “I know what you’re thinking…that I am just asking you because it’s free publicity…and although that’s true that’s not really why I am asking.”

“SO, then why are you asking?” Alexis grumbled.

April cracked a smile.  “Because you look AMAZING in my designs, because you are my SISTER, because if I am going to do this then I want people I KNOW I can count on, and because if you ask me, it’s about time the world found out the MORETTI girls are a force to be reckoned with, all three of us!”

“How did I get dragged into this? I’m not a model, or a singer?” Michelle laughed nervously.

“No! Maybe not, but you are also my SISTER and your body type is similar to Alexis and myself so I know you would ROCK my line.”

Alexis couldn’t help but laugh.  Although she HATED admitting it, the idea had merit and she would love to see the look on Josh’s face when she, April and Michelle took to the runway.  Justin’s too!

However, before Alexis agreed to anything, she had a few questions.

“Do you really want to fix the mess between us?”

April nodded. “I do. More than anything.  I should have tried a LONG time ago.”

“So, you won’t disappear once the Fashion show is over?”

“Not unless you want me to.”

“Do you plan on fixing things with Josh too?”

April nodded again, this time a bit sadly.  She really did feel awful about how much she’d hurt him.

“If he’ll let me.  I wouldn’t blame him if he refused to even see me.”

“Are you going to try to get back with him?” Alexis asked, her voice wavering.

April’s eyes widened and her jaw dropped.

“What?! NO! I would NEVER…he’s with the Moretti he’s meant to be with!”

The tears had started to stream down Alexis’s face and now that they’d started, she was powerless to stop them.  She was crying the tears she’d been holding back for almost eight years.

“Do you really believe that?” Alexis whispered.

April nodded as her own tears started to fall.

“I do! GOD LEXI! I ABSOLUTELY do! If I had known then what I know now, how you felt about him, well, things might have turned out a lot differently!”

“You two are going to make me cry!” Michelle gushed.

“I’ll do it!” Alexis blurted out.

“Do what?” April asked confused.

“Your fashion show.”

“Me too!” Michelle replied, half giggling and half crying.

April shrieked.  “Really?!”

Both girls nodded.

“But, you have to make it right with Josh first.” Alexis said seriously.

“DONE! Or, at least I’ll try!” April agreed.

“Tomorrow!” Alexis insisted.

“Tomorrow?! Why tomorrow?” April replied as she tried to swallow the lump that had just appeared in her throat.

“His actual birthday is on Tuesday and I have plans for us, and I will NOT have THIS hanging over my head.  Talk to him tomorrow or go back to New York.  Those are your options.”

April nodded.  “Fair enough.  I think it’s time we end this mess once and for all.  Tomorrow it is.”

Chapter 17 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

Chapter 17

Justin left Alexis and Michelle’s place and headed for his own Hollywood hills home.  Joey, Chris, Lance and JC would be there within the hour.  The plan was to keep JC distracted.  Not a simple task with April in town.  April?! Now there was a mystery wrapped in a puzzle.  What was her deal? Why was she in town, and why NOW, after all this time? 

Justin arrived at his house and immediately sprang into action.  Tequila. Check. Playing cards. Check.  Poker Chips. Check.  Tortilla chips and salsa. Double check.

About twenty minutes after Justin finished getting everything ready the doorbell rang.  It was Lance and JC.

“I drove.” Lance said as they stepped through the doorway.

“Smart.” Justin said nodding.

JC was practically catatonic.  He’d been silent the entire drive.  His mind was elsewhere, across town to be specific.

Moments later Joey and Chris arrived.  Quickly, they moved to the dining room where the first round of shots was already poured and ready on the table.

“You move quick.  How long have you been home?” Joey asked as they took seats around the table.

“About thirty minutes, if that.” Justin answered.

Lance picked up the Tequila bottle and grinned.  “Dobel?!  You did get the GOOD SHIT! Did you take some to Michelle like she asked?”

Justin grinned and nodded.  “Two bottles.”

“And?” Chris asked with a smirk.

Justin made a face.  “They weren’t talking, at least not when I was there.”

“It’s been almost two hours.  They really haven’t said a word since they left?” Joey asked, surprise evident in his voice.

JC groaned and dropped his head down on to the table. 

Justin could only laugh a little and shake his head.  “Apparently Moretti girls are stubborn.”

“You have NO FUCKING idea!” JC moaned, his voice muffled by the table top.

“You need to take a shot!” Joey said with a smirk, pushing the full shot glass closer.

“NO! What I need to do is go…”JC started, his face still on the table.

“Go where? Alexis’s place? Not a good idea man! You need to let them air out their “girl drama” first.” Chris chimed in.

JC lifted his head, grabbed the shot glass from the table and downed it quickly.

“You do realize their “girl drama” revolves around me?” JC smirked, setting his empty glass on the table.

“All the more reason to stay put.  I have a feeling that one or both of them will come to you when they’re ready.” Justin replied.

JC sat up and slid his glass across the table, then motioned for Lance to pour him another shot.

“Yeah, and that is precisely what worries me!   The last time April and I were in a room together…well…you guys know how that turned out.” JC said, rubbing the back of his neck.

He was not handling the situation well at all. That much was obvious.

“Yes and No.  You never did really explain what happened there.  All you said was, she cheated, more than once, you found out and then you broke up.”  Chris replied.

“What more did you want me to say?” JC growled before downing his 2nd shot.

“Say whatever you want about it, man.  All I am saying is, there is obviously more to the story or you wouldn’t STILL be wigging out about it eight years later.”

JC groaned then slid his glass back to Lance.  More alcohol was the only way he was going to get through this story.  He was certain of it.  Lance gave the others a look then poured JC a third shot.  He was well on his way to getting SMASHED, meanwhile, the other four had just finished their 1st shot.  It was going to be a LONG night.

“When we came back from Europe, I was so STOKED! I couldn’t wait to tell April AND Alexis everything!  That night, the night we got back I promised Dale and Tony we would go out, which we did.  I don’t remember where we went, but what I do remember is that while we were out Tony told me he’d seen April out with a couple other guys and that the few times he’d seen her she seemed more than just friendly with these guys.  I didn’t believe him.  I didn’t want to believe him, but April started getting distant and breaking plans.” JC sighed before slamming back his third shot.

Everyone stayed quiet.  They knew the story wasn’t over yet.  JC signaled for yet another shot and ran a hand through his hair.

“Then we got offered the Disney Special and I literally raced over to her house to tell her, Lexi and Michelle the good news.  Lexi and Michelle were there, Lexi had just gotten home from dance class or something and Michelle was in the kitchen, I think.  I went up to April’s room…her parents were cool and we’d been dating for a LONG time so they trusted me.  She told me she didn’t love me, that she never did, that she couldn’t be tied down.  I told her I knew about the cheating, which she didn’t deny and then she tried to apologize.  I told her not to, that she wasn’t sorry, she was just sorry that she’d gotten caught. I told her it was done, that we were over and I never wanted to see her again.  Then I stormed out.”

“And that’s when you told Alexis that you couldn’t be friends anymore because she reminded you of April.” Joey finished.

JC nodded before downing his fourth shot.

“I honestly NEVER expected that I would see ANY of the Moretti girls EVER again, although I did hope for it.”

“You hoped for it?” Justin asked raising his eyebrow.

JC nodded a cracked a tiny smile.  “A few years ago, Dale told me that he’d heard Alexis had moved out to LA and I kept hoping, praying, that I would somehow run into her but it never happened…until it did.  I just didn’t know it was her at the time.”

“Yeah, we were there for that part, sort of.” Joey teased.

“It’s making my head hurt.” JC groaned slumping onto the table again.

“I think that’s the four shots of tequila catching up with you.” Lance smirked.

“Yeah, you should have some water or eat some chips or you’re going to be SORRY tomorrow.” Chris snickered.

“Too late! I’m already sorry, sorry I got out of bed this morning.” JC grumbled.

Justin looked to the others and shook his head. 

“You, my friend, need to seriously get out of your own head.  You’re just going to make yourself crazy, trust me on this!” Justin reasoned.

“Are you kidding me?! You don’t know Alexis or April the way I do. ”JC started.

“No, but I know Michelle!” Justin replied.

JC’s eyes narrowed a bit and he smirked.  “YES! Let’s talk about you and Michelle”

“Let’s not.” Justin snapped back.

“She’s like a little sister to me, you know that, right?”

“WAS! She WAS like a little sister to you.” Justin smirked.

“Don’t go there, man!” JC snarled.

The alcohol was starting to take effect.  JC was feeling anxious, confused and maybe a bit angry and he was taking out it on Justin.

“Look man, Michelle and I are just…”

JC raised an eyebrow and Justin knew that given JC’s current state of mind he was going to have to choose his words carefully.

“Getting to know each other.” Justin finished.

“Good! Because I swear to GOD Justin, hurt her and I will give ZERO FUCKS about kicking your ass!”

Lance couldn’t help but start to chuckle and shake his head.

“What’s so funny?” JC snapped.

“You! You need to CHILL out!  We get it! Trust me! The idea of April and Alexis being locked in a room together rehashing their past with you and the eight years of baggage that comes with that is stressing you out, but don’t take it out on Justin, or any of the rest of us for that matter.”

“Exactly, and don’t drag Michelle into the middle of your issues because you know she HATES that.” Justin agreed.

JC nodded but didn’t speak right away.  There was just too much going on in his head at the moment.

“Should we play some poker?” He asked after several quiet minutes.

  ***

The next morning April found herself waking up in the guest bedroom of Alexis and Michelle’s condo.  She groaned loudly as the light filtered through the mini-blinds, hitting her square in the face.  April rolled over and looked at the bedside clock, then groaned more.  It was after 10.  She didn’t even remember coming into the guest room or falling asleep.  The last thing she remembered was Alexis and Michelle agreeing to do the Fashion Show and then, more shots of Tequila.

April sighed and rolled over in the bed.  She heard noise coming from the front of the house and decided she needed to get up.  First on the agenda, coffee.

Michelle was in the kitchen, her back to the counter as she stood in front of the stove.  Apparently, she was making breakfast.

“Coffee?” Michelle asked, her back still turned.

April smiled.  “Yes, please.  How did you know it was me?”

Michelle grabbed a mug from the cupboard and walked to the coffee pot. 

“I didn’t.  I just know that neither you or Alexis function in the morning without coffee.  It’s one of the MANY things you two still have in common.”

April nodded.  “I know what you’re doing Michelle.  I know things aren’t completely fixed yet, but, trust me, they are headed in the right direction.”

Michelle poured her sister a cup of coffee then turned to face her.  She set the coffee down on the island counter in front of April and gave her a look.

“I certainly hope so because I am NOT going back to the way things were before.  I can’t!”

April nodded again and cracked a smile.  “I promise.  I am not either.”

“So, what’s your plan?” Michelle asked seriously as she headed for the fridge.

Michelle returned to the Island counter moments later carrying cream and sugar.  She placed the items on the counter in front of April then waited for April to respond.  April just giggled slightly, poured some cream, added some sugar and then took a sip before replying.

“Plan for what?” April asked confused.

“Umm…Josh?! How are you going to get him to talk to you?’ Michelle teased.

April took another sip of her coffee and shook her head. 

“No idea! I’m not really on his list of people he wants to see so getting him in the same space with me much less getting him to talk to me is going to be difficult.”

Moments later Alexis shuffled out into the kitchen.  She was half asleep still and nursing a pretty heinous hangover but was at least somewhat coherent.

“What are we talking about?” Alexis grumbled as Michelle handed her a cup of coffee.

“How we are going to get April and Josh in the same place at the same time, and for longer than five seconds without Josh imploding on the spot.” Michelle replied.

Alexis smirked a bit.  “Have fun with that!”

“You know, I do have one idea.” April said bravely.

“What’s that?” Michelle asked curiously.

Alexis stayed quiet.  She had a feeling that whatever the idea was, it would probably get all three of them into trouble.

April took a breath then another sip of her coffee before speaking.

“Well, I was thinking, since he made it pretty clear the last time we saw each other that he NEVER wanted to see me again, the likelihood he’s going to agree to meet with me is pretty slim.”

“True.” Michelle replied.

“So, then, what if one of the two of you invited him out somewhere and I showed up instead.” April blurted out quickly.

Alexis snorted.  “So, he can go back to hating all of us because of you? I think not!”

April sighed and nodded.  “I know. I know it puts you two in a weird position and yes, he could flip out but what other choice do I have? If I show up at his house, he’ll just slam the door in my face and if I try to call, he’ll hang up.  If he thinks he’s meeting one of you he’ll at least show up and then hopefully I can get him to stick around long enough to hear me out.”

“What are you going to say?” Alexis asked curiously.

She was still skeptical about April’s intentions.  Truthfully, she wanted to believe that April had changed but wanted to see it with her own eyes first.

“That I’m sorry. That I shouldn’t have cheated.  That I should have been honest from the beginning.  That I shouldn’t have said that I didn’t love him.  Pretty much everything I said to you last night.”

Alexis nodded.  It was a good start, and, as much as she hated to admit that April was right, she did have a very valid point.

“He knows you plan to talk to him, so, maybe he’ll be open to it.” Michelle replied.

“How does he know I plan to talk to him?” April asked making a face.

Michelle blushed. 

“Umm…well…yesterday, when we were leaving the restaurant, he asked why you were here and I may have mentioned that you said you were planning to apologize.” Michelle stuttered.

April sighed and sunk down into one of the barstools. “Well, this could get interesting.”

“That’s an understatement.” Alexis smirked.

“Well…we don’t have to figure it out right this second.  We’ve got some time. How about we eat some breakfast and ponder it for a bit.  I don’t think Josh is going to be in a condition to see ANYONE for a few hours anyway.” Michelle replied biting her lip.

Alexis made a face.  “Why do you say that?”

Michelle giggled and shook her head.  “Last night, when Justin brought over the tequila, he mentioned that they were all getting together, that they didn’t think Josh should be left alone.  So, in other words, I thing we have some time.”

April shook her head and tried to hide her smile.  “Ok…good to know, but can we just take a second to talk about you and Justin?”

“What about me and Justin?” Michelle asked, her hands going to her hips.

“I’m just curious.  My little sister is dating Justin Timberlake.  How did that happen?” April replied grinning.

“We’re NOT dating!” Michelle argued.

Alexis laughed.  “You’re not?! Then what ARE you doing because you two are awfully friendly with one another.”

“If you must know, we are just getting to know each other.” Michelle huffed.

“Getting to know each other?! Ok, and just how WELL do you know him?” April teased.

Michelle shot her sister a withering look. 

“It’s not like that!  We hang out. We talk.  I’ve been to his place for dinner a few times.” Michelle snapped.

Alexis smirked and shook her head.  “Yeah, ‘Chelle, that’s called dating.”

“Ok, so we’re dating! I don’t get why that’s a problem.” Michelle shot back.

April giggled a bit before taking another sip of her coffee.  “It’s not a problem.  At least not for me.  It’s just…you and Justin, Alexis and Josh, where is MY member of *NSYNC?”

Alexis’s jaw dropped.  “How do you know about *NSYNC?!”

April laughed.  “I realize they were banned in the house but I don’t live under a rock!  They were EVERYWHERE back in the day!  I don’t think I need to tell you what a pain in the ass it was getting through Times Square on days they were on TRL.  Besides, when your ex-boyfriend starts making headlines with four other HOT AS FUCK guys it’s kinda hard NOT to follow that shit.”

“So, you’re an *NSYNC fan too?” Alexis asked shaking her head in disbelief.

“Of course, I am, you’re not?” April replied.

Alexis blushed and shook her head.  “Not initially, no, but they are growing on me.”

“She recorded a song with them.” Michelle blurted out.

April looked to Alexis, her eyes wide.  It was not at all what she expected but she couldn’t have been more proud of her sister.

“Ok, that’s freakin’ BAD ASS! I CANNOT wait to hear it!  My twin sister and *NSYNC?! Yeah, that’s some NEXT LEVEL awesome!” April gushed.

Alexis blushed more and giggled.  “If the song does well, they want me to tour with them, as their Opening Act.”

April and Michelle both stood there dumbfounded, their jaws on the floor. 

“Wait?! What?! You didn’t tell me that! Justin didn’t tell me that!  When did they say that?” Michelle squeaked.

Alexis smiled bashfully. “Umm…the day I met with them, the day they asked me to do the song.  Mr. Wright said that if the song did well, which they believed it would, that they wanted me to tour with them as their ONLY Opening Act.”

“Please tell me you said “yes.” Michelle squealed.

Alexis laughed.  “I agreed to do the song, didn’t I?”

April grinned.  “Ok, now I HAVE to make things good with Josh!  We can’t have you going out on tour with them the way things are now!”

Alexis raised her eyebrow at her sister and tried not to laugh.  “Why is that?”

April grinned.  “I want tickets, that’s why!  Front row girl!  None of this 2nd level Mezanine SHIT! I need the FULL Fatone experience, up close!”

Alexis snorted.  “Fatone?! Really?! 

“Yes Ma’am! I love Josh, a part of me always will! He was my first, but he was always too scrawny!  I need some meat to grab onto!”

“Your first?! Your first what?” Alexis asked curiously.

April swallowed hard and gave her twin a look.  “I think you know.”

Alexis’s eyes widened as did Michelle’s.

“Wait?! Josh was the first guy you…” Michelle stammered.

April smiled softly and nodded. 

“Does he know that?” Alexis asked in disbelief.

April nodded. “I thought you knew that.”

Alexis shook her head.  “No.”

Michelle just grinned.  “Ok, so if Josh was April’s first, who was yours?”

“Someone from High School, right?” April replied.

Alexis laughed and shook her head.  “Eww! Gross! No!  All the guys we went to school with were…YUCK…No!”

“Ok, so then who was it?” April insisted.

Alexis blushed wildly.  “I’m not telling.”

April paused in thought then grinned.  “Ok, so it wasn’t someone from High School, so that means it had to be…”

Michelle started to laugh.  “A Mouseketeer! Your first was one of Josh’s castmates, wasn’t it?”

Alexis giggled.  “I told you, I’m not telling you who it was.”

“That doesn’t mean we can’t guess.” April smirked.

Alexis laughed.  “Be my guest, but I am not going to tell.”

“Tony?” Michelle teased.

Alexis nearly choked on her coffee.  “NO! He and Josh are practically brothers, NO!”

“Dale?” April chimed in.

Alexis shot April a look.  “Again, NO!”

“Ricky?” Michelle continued.

Alexis laughed.  “Love Ricky, but No! Not my type.”

“Matt Morris?” April replied.

Alexis didn’t reply, she just shook her head.

“It was TOTALLY Matt?” Michelle teased.

“It was NOT Matt.” Alexis giggled.

At this April bit her lip and started to smile as she shook her head.  She had a feeling she knew who it was but was almost certain Alexis would deny it completely.

“I know who it was.” April laughed.

“Oh really?!” Alexis smirked.

“Yes, and it makes perfect sense why you don’t want to say because although he wasn’t as tight with Josh as say Matt, Tony and Dale are he was still a part of that circle.” April reasoned.

“Who?” Michelle insisted.

April grinned evilly.  “Marc! Alexis’s first was Marc!”

Alexis didn’t respond she just put her coffee cup to her lips and tried to smother her smile. 

“Does Josh know?” Michelle giggled.

“Does Josh know what?” Alexis replied innocently.

“About you and Marc?” April teased.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Alexis laughed.

“Yeah, ok, play dumb.  We know the truth.” Michelle smirked.

“Can we get back to Josh, and how we are going to handle that?” Alexis replied, quickly changing the subject.

April laughed.  “Oh, so NOW, you want to talk about Josh?! Yes, let’s talk about Josh! Just what’s going on there? Are you two together?”

Alexis blushed.  “Yes. No. I don’t know!  I think we are still trying to figure that out, or we were, then YOU showed up!  Now I don’t know what’s going on his head, nothing good, I’m sure.”

“Do you want to be together?” April asked seriously.

Alexis gave her twin a look.

April laughed awkwardly.  “Ok, yeah, probably a dumb question or one I should know the answer to by now.  What does he say about it?”

“About what?” Alexis asked confused.

“The two of you.  Does he want to be with you?” April replied.

Alexis shrugged.  “He says he does, or he says he won’t be with anyone else while he’s with me.  That he would give up his “playboy” ways if he thought he had a chance with me, but a chance to do what, I’m not sure. He’s not easy to read.”

April smirked.  “Yeah, that’s my fault, I know that.  Which means I think we need to bite the bullet here and figure out what were doing.  I owe you that much.”

Michelle nodded. “As much as I hate to admit this, I think April’s idea is the best one we’ve got.  He’s too much in his own his head for it to work any other way.”

Alexis sighed.  “April’s idea is the ONLY one we’ve got, but you’re right, he’s not going to come willingly.”

“I’ll do it!” Michelle and Alexis said at the same time.

Alexis cracked a smile and shook her head, looking to Michelle. 

“No, you were right, we’ve put you in the middle for far too long! If he’s going to be pissed at someone let it be me, at least I’m used to it.”  Alexis sighed.

“Really?!” April asked in surprise.

Alexis nodded.  “Yeah, really.  Like I said, he won’t come willingly if he knows it’s you.  He will if he thinks it’s me, and as much as I HATE that it has to be this way it’s obvious you are willing to at least try to make things right.  I need to do my part too.”

Michelle nodded and pretended to cry.  “Look at you two, being all grown and acting like adults.  I’m so proud.”

“SHUT UP!” Alexis and April both laughed.

Three hours later April sat at a table on the patio of Alexis and Michelle’s favorite Mexican food restaurant, “El Sombrero” waiting anxiously for Josh to arrive.  He was late.  Then again, April knew that for him, late was normal.  Unfortunately, it was doing NOTHING for her nerves.  Except for the brief glimpse of him the day before she hadn’t actually seen Josh, in the flesh, at least not this close in eight years.

Yes, she had been to several *NSYNC concerts over the years but she always made it a point to get seats higher up, away from the stage.  She’d always been too afraid to get closer, afraid that he might see her in the crowd and recognize her.  It was a silly thought, there were always THOUSANDS of girls at those shows but it didn’t change the fact that she couldn’t bear the thought of facing him, so, she kept her distance.

It was then, as she was sitting there, stirring the ice in her water nervously that she felt it, his presence, causing her to suck in a breath.  She looked up and there he was, standing at the Host station.  He looked GOOD.  He was dressed in a pair of jeans and a dark blue polo, the top two buttons undone and his trademark Leo pendant hanging around his neck.  His hair was freshly washed and very curly.  He was smiling, which meant he hadn’t seen her yet, because as soon as he did, she knew that gorgeous smile would disappear.

Sure enough, he started to approach the table and just as soon as his eyes landed on April the smile immediately dropped off his face and his eyes went dark.  If looks could kill she would have been dead on the spot.

Josh was seething with anger.  It was in his eyes as he looked at her.  April had just started to stand.  She was dressed in a pair of jeans and flowy, white tank top, her hair pulled back into a loose pony-tail.  She looked just a beautiful as the day he’d walked out but he knew it was only skin deep.  His blood boiling, Josh spun on his heel headed for the Exit.

“Josh…PLEASE…just hear me out…five minutes, that’s all I’m asking, then you can leave and go back to hating me.” April called after him.

Josh stopped and turned back around, his eyes on fire and his jaw clenched tight.

“Why should I?” He snapped.

“For Alexis.” April replied softly.

Josh seemed to scowl at her more at the mention of Alexis. 

“Alexis?! You mean YOUR sister who stabbed me in the back by tricking me into coming here?” Josh snarled through gritted teeth.

This time it was April whose eyes flickered with rage.

“OH, HELL NO! You don’t get to blame her for this because you know DAMN well you never would have come if I had asked you!  She knew you’d be pissed at her, we both did, but she did it anyway because she knew if we had ANY chance of making things right between us, between ALL of us then we had to get you to come here.  SO, PLEASE, if you care about her at all, PLEASE just give me five minutes, that’s all I am asking, then I’ll leave and you continue on hating me like you have been for the past eight years.” April replied.

“You’ve got a minute.” JC snapped.

“Will you sit down?” April sighed.

“Nope.” JC replied curtly.

“Fine.” April replied nodding.

JC looked down at his watch then back up at April.

“Better start talking, you’ve got 45 seconds.”

“I’m sorry! I am SO unbelievably sorry!  I know “sorry” isn’t enough, “sorry” doesn’t fix it or make the pain go away, but I am so sorry I hurt you.  There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t think about what I did to you…and to Alexis.  I shouldn’t have cheated.  That was selfish and cruel.  I should have been honest with you from the very beginning, and I should have NEVER said I didn’t love you.  I did, just not the way you deserved.  You were my first Josh, and for that, a part of me will always love you but you deserve someone who loves ALL of you, unconditionally.  That was NEVER going to be me.  THAT has ALWAYS been Alexis, I was just too selfish and blind to see it, but I should have…”

“Ten seconds.” JC snapped.

“GOD you are INFURIATING! Are you listening to ANYTHING I’m saying?! Do you hear me at all? I’m apologizing! I’m standing here pouring my heart out, trying to make this right and you’re acting like a JACKASS!”

“We’re done here!” Josh sneered before starting to walk away.

April moved quickly.  She pushed her chair back from the table and darted in front him, blocking the patio exit. Thank goodness the patio was empty except for the two of them because April had a feeling, they were about to make a bigger scene than they had already.

“No, we are NOT! Like it or not, I’m not letting you leave until you hear me out! I think you owe Alexis that much!”

“I don’t owe Alexis a DAMN thing!”

April could feel the rage building inside of her again.  Yes, they may have had their differences over the past eight years but April never stopped loving her sister so she would be DAMNED if she let Josh get away with tossing Alexis aside a second time.

“Jesus, Josh, did I really turn you into that much of an ASSHOLE?!  I’m doing this for HER…for the both of you, really.  It BOGGLES my mind how you can be so blinded by your hatred of me that you don’t see it! She LOVES you, but she won’t admit how much to anyone, not even herself, because she has all the hurt and pain of what I did to the two of you hanging over her!  Yes, she tricked you, we both did, but only because I asked her to, because we both knew you would NEVER come if you knew I was going to be here instead of her.” April fired back.

Josh sighed and finally forced himself to look down at April.  There was a look in her eyes that was far different from the one that had been there the day he stomped out.  Was it sincerity? Was it desperation? Regardless of what it was, she did make some very valid points.

“You might have a point there, I wouldn’t have come.” He grumbled.

“Exactly.” April smirked.

“Are you done?” Josh asked curiously.

“Depends. Are you done listening?” April replied.

“Maybe not.” Josh said shrugging.

“Would you like to sit down and have lunch with me?” April asked bravely.

Josh smirked.  “Honestly, food is the last thing I want right now.”

April giggled a bit.  “Let me guess, too much Tequila last night?!”

This time Josh actually laughed.

“OH MY GOD, yes, you too?”

April nodded and giggled a bit more.  “Yes. Never again! Although, I do have to admit that was some pretty good Tequila.”

Josh grinned.  “That was Justin trying to impress Michelle.”

April laughed. “I figured.”

“Did it work?”

April laughed more. “I couldn’t tell you.  She’s being very tight lipped about the two of them.”

Josh nodded and cracked a smile before reaching for his wallet.  He tossed a fifty down onto the table and then looked back to April.  He was about to take a HUGE risk, but as April had just finished pointing out, if he cared about Alexis at all, which he did, more than he wanted to admit he owed her this.  Truthfully, he owed it to himself as well.

“Do you want to take a walk?” He asked looking down at April.

April smiled and nodded.  “I would like that very much, but don’t you need a bodyguard for something like that?”

Josh shook his head.  “Not in this part of town at this time of day.  As long as we don’t go too far, I think we’ll be ok.”

April nodded then followed Josh out of the restaurant but it wasn’t until they were about a block away that either of them had the courage to speak.

“So…you’re a fashion designer in New York?” Josh managed to get out.

April nodded.  “Yeah.  I’ve been there about 7 years now.”

Josh cracked a smile.  “Got out of Orlando pretty quick?”

April laughed.  “Not quick enough.”

Josh nodded.  “I heard you and Alexis didn’t haven’t gotten along so well since I left..”

“That’s putting it way too nicely.  However, had I known why, how she felt about you, it might have gone differently.”

“It surprises me that you didn’t, you two were so close.” Josh said seriously.

“Did you know?” April shot back.

Josh smirked. “Nope.”

“Exactly.”

An awkward pause followed but April ended it quickly.

“That was awful, what you said to her.” April said very matter of factly.

Josh groaned. “I know.”

“Did you mean it?”

Josh dropped his head and sighed.  “Back then, yes, but I shouldn’t have said it.”

April smirked. “Nope. You shouldn’t have.”

“I wish I could take it back.”

“And now?” April continued.

“Now what?” Josh replied.

“How do you feel about her now?” April answered.

“I don’t know, she’s hard to read.” Josh replied.

April laughed.  “No. No, she’s not.  She’s all but spelled it out for you.”

“You mean the video?”

April nodded.  “You’ve seen it?”

Josh smirked.  “Oh yes, I’ve seen it.”

“Seems pretty obvious to me.”

“Does it?”

April stopped and looked up at him.  “She’s in love with you, she has been since we were kids, and the only thing standing in her way is ME.”

Chapter 18 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

Chapter 18

An hour and a half later after a LONG walk, and a lot of talking April returned to the condo.  Things were far from fixed, but at least they were headed in the right direction. 

“How did it go?” Michelle asked as soon as April stepped through the doorway.

April shrugged.  “Not great, but also, not terrible. It could have gone a LOT worse.”

“Was he pissed?” Michelle continued.

April gave Michelle a look.  “What do you think?”

Michelle giggled. “Ok, yeah, silly question.”

“Where is Alexis?” April asked.

Michelle cracked a smile.  “She said something about needing to get a few things for Josh’s birthday surprise.  Really, I think it was just an excuse to get out of the house, keep her mind occupied while we waited for you to get back.”

April nodded. “Makes sense.  I would have done the same thing.”

“So, now what?” Michelle asked.

April made a face.  “What do you mean?”

Michelle smirked.  “Well, you did what you came here to do so, now, what’s your plan?”

April giggled.  “I honestly hadn’t gotten that far yet.  I was too focused on the task at hand.  I need to call Amy, she’s probably worried sick.  She’s left me three messages already this morning.”

“How long are you staying in LA?” Michelle asked.

April smiled.  “Not sure.  A few days maybe.  I have to go back at some point, especially now that I have a fashion show to prepare for.”

“Yeah, when were you planning that for?”

“September, I think, mid-September.”

“So, a fall show?”

April smiled and nodded.  “Yes.  I love fall, the colors, the smells, the textures.”

Michelle laughed and shook her head.

“What’s so funny?” April asked making a face.

“You and Lexi, I know neither of you will admit it, but you are more alike than you realize.”

April smirked a bit and shook her head.  “Well, we are twins.”

“It’s good to hear you finally acknowledging that fact.” Michelle answered.

April made another face.  “I never denied it, I just didn’t volunteer that information.”

Michelle nodded and smiled.  “Fair enough, and now that you and Alexis are speaking to one another again does that mean we will be seeing more of you?”

April laughed.  “I would imagine so, but we are both pretty busy so I can’t make any promises.”

“Well, the two of you do have a birthday coming up.”

“Ugh! Yes, I know.  The big 28. Don’t remind me.” April groaned.

“You’re not excited about your birthday?”

April smirked. “Not hardly.  For that past eight years my birthday has been just like any other day.  I get a call and a card and typically a gift from Mom and Dad, a call and a gift from you, a gift from Amy and a text from Alexis and that’s about it.”

Michelle grinned.  “Well, maybe this year will be different.”

April gave Michelle a look.  “Doubtful.  I will be in New York, you and Alexis will be here and Mom and Dad will be in Florida.”

“Says who?”

April sighed and shook her head.  “Look, I get it.  I’m happy that Alexis and I are on speaking terms again too, but I am also not so delusional that I think things are perfect between us.  We still have a long way to go, and truthfully, things may never be the way they were.  Also, yes, I’ve made my peace with Josh, said what I needed to say, but that’s a weird situation too.  We aren’t friends but we aren’t enemies anymore either.  My being here just makes it awkward for everyone and I don’t want that.”

“It doesn’t have to be awkward.” Michelle argued.

April laughed.  “I know it doesn’t have to be but that doesn’t mean that it isn’t.  Josh and I were together for almost two years and we were friends before that.  FINALLY, he can stand the sight of me.  For now, that’s enough for me.  I am not going to push my luck.  Not to mention the fact that I want to give him and Alexis time to sort out their feelings without ME hanging over their heads.”

Michelle giggled.  “Yeah, I don’t get them.  They need to just go for it.  He loves her. She loves him.  Just admit that and be a couple already.”

April laughed out loud at this.  “I TOTALLY get it.  Getting over past relationships is TOUGH enough, the fact that Josh’s ex is Alexis’s twin sister just makes it worse.  YOU are the one I don’t get.”

“Me?” Michelle squeaked.

“Yes! You!  What is your deal anyway?”

“What do you mean?”

“You and Justin.  You like him, don’t you?”

Michelle blushed.  “It’s complicated.”

“How is it complicated?  You like him.  He obviously likes you.  Sounds pretty simple to me.”

“He’s Justin Timberlake.  He is one of Josh’s best friends.  How awkward would that be if it didn’t work out?”

April smiled.  “Don’t put the drama between Alexis, Josh and I on your relationship with Justin.  That’s not fair to anyone.  If you like him go for it, and so what if he is Justin Timberlake.  ANY guy would be lucky to have you!”

***

It was now Tuesday.  Josh’s birthday.  April had gone back to New York the day before but the three sisters now had a group text going and planned to Face Time once a week, so long as schedules allowed.  They had a LOT of catching up to do. 

Josh would be spending the day with the guys of *NSYNC but had plans with Alexis that evening.  What those plans were, he didn’t know.  Truthfully, even though it was HIS birthday he did plan to grovel a bit first.  Getting angry and yelling at April about Alexis and what she’d done was a bit over the top.  He understood why she’d done what she did.  He didn’t like it, but he understood it, and for that reason she deserved an apology.

At the moment, he, Justin and Lance were headed to a swanky pub in Hollywood where they would be meeting up with Chris and Joey for lunch.  Justin was driving, JC was in the passenger seat and Lance was sitting in the back.  There was music playing on the stereo but it was just background, no one was paying attention, at least not until the DJ started talking.

“And now…the new one from Danielle M…this is one is a BOP my friends!”

Upon hearing the opening beat Justin cranked up the volume and started to bounce in his seat.

“AWWW YEAH, this is my JAM!” Justin exclaimed.

Meanwhile, Lance couldn’t help but chuckle and JC sat there dumbfounded as he listened.  His jaw was practically on the floor and his eyes were wide as the lyrics registered in his brain.

She might’ve let you hold her hand in school

But I’mma show you how to graduate

No, I don’t need to hear you talk the talk

Just come and show me what your momma gave, oh

You’ve got a very big shhhh

Mouth, but don’t say a thing

Then, as soon as the rap started Justin cranked the volume up even louder and began rapping at the top of his lungs and grooving along with the beat.  Justin was in FULL Carpool Karaoke mode, body rolling in his seat and waving his hands in the air as JC sat there looking completely mortified.  In fact, Justin was making such a spectacle of himself that people in the cars around them were starting to stare causing JC to sink down in his chair and cover his face with his hand.  Lance on the other hand had decided to pull out his phone and film Justin’s antics from the backseat. 

It’s Myx moscato, it’s frizz in a bottle

It’s ‘Chell-e full throttle, it’s oh, oh

Swimming in the grotto, we winning in the lotto

We dipping in the powder blue, four door

Kitten so good, it’s dripping on wood

Get a ride in that engine that

Could go

Batman, robbin’ it, bang bang,

Cockin’ it

Queen Chell-e dominant, prominent

It’s me; Chell-e and Dani

If they test me, they sorry

Ride his uh like a Harley

Then pull off in his Ferrari

If he hanging, we banging

Phone ranging, he slanging

It ain’t karaoke night

But get the mic cause I’m singing

By the time the song finished Lance could barely control his laughter from the backseat. He was clutching his side and trying desperately not to make noise as he laughed so hard his stomach hurt and JC looked as if he was about to self-combust.

Justin turned the volume down slightly then looked in the rearview mirror and noticed Lance cracking up.

“What is your damage Bass?” Justin smirked.

Lance took a moment to respond.  He was still trying to stop laughing. 

“OH MY GOD! I can’t! I just can’t! That was EPIC! I am sending that to Melinda for the website!” Lance managed to get out between gasps for air.

“You’re sending what to Melinda?! LANCE! You did NOT just film that?!” Justin snapped.

Lance laughed more.  “Oh, YES! YES! I did!  I’m sending it to Melinda and Michelle!”

At this Justin started to try to grab at Lance from the driver’s seat. One arm reaching around the driver’s seat while Justin gripped the steering wheel with the other.  Lance dodged and slid around trying to avoid Justin while JC continued to try and disappear into the passenger seat.

“Will you two STOP?! Just STOP! Justin, you’re gonna wreck, and Lance, NO ONE needs to see that! Seriously, I don’t know you, either one of you!  Chris, Joey and I can go on as SYC, it will be fine.” JC groaned loudly.

“Not hardly!’ Justin snorted.

“Yeah, sorry man, the fans have spoken, that won’t fly.” Lance added still chuckling a bit.

JC just smirked a bit and shook his head.  “What was THAT anyway?”

It was Justin’s turn to laugh.  “Have you not heard that one before?”

JC shot Justin a withering look.  “Obviously not.”

Justin grinned.  “I told you! I told you that you were missing out! I told you, you needed to hear it!  Your girl can SAAANG!”

“I know she can SAAANG, but THAT song!” JC replied, his pulse racing.

Just hearing Alexis belt out a song like that was doing things to him that JC wasn’t quite prepared for. 

“THAT song is HOT! Seriously, I CANNOT wait to see the video!” Justin gushed.

“Only because you’re hoping Michelle will be in it.” Lance smirked.

“Whatever man!  The song is HOT, end of story.” Justin snapped.

Moments later they pulled up to the Valet.  Justin and Lance were out of the car first.  JC, however, was still trying to calm himself and his hormones after hearing that song.  It was one thing when he sang a suggestive song like that but it was quite another hearing Alexis sing something so sexual and suggestive.

“What’s wrong with him?” Joey teased, nodding to JC as Justin, JC and Lance joined them at the table.

“He just heard Alexis’s new song.” Lance chuckled.

Joey grinned.  “For the first time?”

“Apparently.” Justin snickered.

“DUDE! What do you live under a rock?! Where have you been?!  That song is FIRE!” Chris said smiling.

“I never said it wasn’t.” JC protested.

“So, then what’s your issue?” Joey teased as they all took their seats.

“It’s just…” JC started awkwardly.

Justin looked at his friend and grinned. He knew exactly what JC’s issue was with the song. 

“It’s just that it’s a HOT song, she sounds HOT singing it, AND it’s making you think and feel things that you don’t quite know how to respond to given your history with her.”

JC was in shock.  Justin had just hit the nail right on the head.  In fact, his explanation couldn’t have been more perfect.

“Exactly!” JC replied.

“Welcome to dating a fellow musician.” Justin smirked.

“We aren’t dating.” JC replied.

“You’re not?! Then WHAT are you doing exactly?” Joey shot back.

“I don’t know…exactly.” JC sighed.

“Might want to figure that shit out before we go on tour with her.” Chris smirked.

“Ya’ think.” JC grumbled.

“Ok, ok.  This is supposed to be fun, not an argument.  Let’s give JC a break.  It is his birthday.” Lance said chuckling a bit.

“Yes, please.” JC replied sighing.

***

After lunch with the guys, JC returned to his house briefly.  Alexis had something planned but wasn’t providing any details. All she’d said was dress comfortably and wear a hat.  When he asked what kind of hat she simply replied “baseball” so, of course, he’d pulled out his favorite Dodgers cap and put it on with a pair of faded jeans and a dark blue, V-neck t-shirt. 

His outfit wasn’t anything fancy but it was definitely comfortable.

Shortly before 4 p.m. Alexis arrived at JC’s house in her blue Volkswagen beetle.  He opened the door to find her dressed casually in a pair of faded jeans, a dark green scoop neck t-shirt and a pair of sunglasses.

“Are you ready?” Alexis asked smiling from the doorway.

JC looked down at her and grinned.  She looked AMAZING. 

“Umm…uh…yeah, I think so.  You still haven’t told me where we are going so, I’m not sure.”

Alexis smiled.  “You’ll find out soon enough.”

He nodded then smiled back at her.  She looked happy.  Happier than he remembered seeing her since they’d re-united.  It made him feel good.  Truthfully, everything about her made him feel good but he was still trying to navigate his feelings and now that April was no longer hanging over him, he felt a bit more confident.

“I heard your new single.” JC blurted as Alexis pulled out of the driveway.

Alexis immediately blushed a bit and bit her lip.  She could only imagine what he must be thinking.

“Oh?!”

“Yeah, it was…”JC stuttered awkwardly.

Alexis giggled. “It was what?!”

“Something…it was something.” JC managed to reply.

“Something?! Ok, what does that mean?”

JC chuckled.  “I don’t know…I just didn’t expect…”

“Didn’t expect what?’ Alexis asked raising an eyebrow as she looked at him briefly.

“I didn’t expect you to be so…”

Alexis made a face.  “So, what?! Sexual? Suggestive? Why? I am a grown ass woman Josh.”

JC grinned. “Yes, yes you are.  You’ve made that abundantly clear.”

“Have I now?” Alexis smirked.

“Umm…yes…yes you have!” JC chuckled.

“Good of you to notice.” Alexis shot back.

JC grinned at her then placed a hand on her thigh.  “OH! I noticed! Trust me on this!”

Alexis blushed slightly.

Minutes later they were pulling into the parking lot at Dodgers stadium.  JC looked over at Alexis in surprise.  This was not at all what he had expected. 

“A Dodgers game?” He asked smiling.

Alexis nodded.  “I wanted to do something different, something you wouldn’t expect.”

JC smiled at her more.  “Mission accomplished.”

Once they were out of the car JC’s hand instinctively found hers.  Alexis bit her lip and tried to hide her smile.  She really did love the way her hand felt in his but didn’t want to be too obvious about it.  There was still so much about their relationship she was unsure of.

Inside the stadium they wasted no time finding their seats.  Alexis had sweet talked Adam into getting her seats in a Field box right on the First base line.

“Field box seats?” JC asked, his smile wide.

“Yup.” Alexis replied grinning.

“How did you swing that? These are hard to get.”

JC was definitely impressed and it made him smile to think she’d gone out of her way to do something special.

“Just because you’re Boyband royalty doesn’t mean you’re the only one with some pull.  I’ll have you know I have 2 songs on the charts right now and an album as well.  I know people.” Alexis smirked.

JC chuckled and nodded.  “No complaints here.  This is AWESOME!”

The players took the field for the National anthem right then and JC removed his hat.  Try as she might to pay attention to what was happening on the field Alexis could not take her eyes of JC.  He was currently mouthing the words along with the military quartet on the field and he looked utterly adorable.

“That’s such a rush.” JC said as they took their seats.

“What is?” Alexis asked.

“Singing the National anthem to a packed crowd.”

“You’ve done it?” Alexis asked in shock.

For her, it was slightly embarrassing that she knew so little about his career.  Apparently, she’d missed out on a lot.

JC smiled over at her.  “Only a couple times.”

“When?”

JC chuckled a bit.  He found it a bit endearing that she knew so much about him but very little about his time with his *NSYNC.  Watching her learn those things about him gave him a bit of a rush.

“Umm…game 3 of the World Series in 2000 and the Winter Olympics in Utah in 2002.”

Alexis giggled and shook her head.  “Yeah, ok, so nothing major!  GOD, I feel like an ASS sometimes for not knowing stuff like that.”

JC cracked a smile and placed a hand on her thigh again.  “Don’t! I get it! Trust me!  If it had been the other way around and you walked out on me, I probably would have done the same thing, and since we are sort of on the topic, I owe you an apology.”

“An apology for what?” Alexis asked curiously.

JC sighed.  “I got mad the other day, when you and April tricked me into meeting with her.  I got mad and I yelled at her about you.  She defended you, and yelled back at me for it, but I still feel like I owe you apology.  I know why you did what you did, and again, I probably would have done the same thing if the roles had been reversed.”

Alexis nodded and smiled back at him.  “I appreciate the apology.  I don’t take it lightly.  I know you mean it. I also understand why you got mad.  We predicted you would, but there really was no other option.”

“I know.  I just want you to know I’m sorry for getting mad at you.”

“I do.  Now, how about we get back to celebrating your birthday?  It’s not every day you turn 30.”

“Ugh! 30! It sounds so…” JC groaned.

Alexis laughed.  “Don’t you dare say old!  You are NOT old and you DEFINITELY don’t look old! You look…”

JC raised an eyebrow. 

Alexis noticed his expression and couldn’t help but laugh.  “Whatever?! We’ve discussed this!  You’re HOT and you know it!”

JC laughed. “True! I just didn’t realize you thought that way.”

Alexis smirked.  “Yes, you did! We discussed that as well so quit pretending like you forgot.”

“Like I could forget a thing like that.”

“Well, you are 30 now.” Alexis teased.

JC just laughed and shook his head.  It was good that they were joking with each other again.  The past few days since April’s arrival and departure had been a bit awkward and tension filled.  Thankfully, the tension seemed to have left with April, at least for the most part.

“Are you hungry?” JC asked.

It was the end of the 2nd inning and after 5 pm, needless to say his stomach had started to growl a bit.

Alexis nodded.  “Starved.”

JC looked around and there, just a few rows away was a crowd vendor who looked like he had hot dogs and beer.  Perfect!

JC waved the man over and then looked to Alexis.

“Would you like a hot dog?”

“Yes please.” Alexis replied nodding.

“Three hot dogs and two beers, please.” JC told the vendor.

“Do you want ketchup or mustard?” the vendor asked.

JC nodded. “Yes, please.”

“And relish, please.” Alexis added.

“That will be $25.50.”

JC started to pull his wallet from his pocket but Alexis immediately intervened.

“No way! It’s your birthday! I got this!” Alexis exclaimed as she pulled a $10 and a $20 from her cross-body purse.

“You’re sure?” JC asked smiling as the vendor started handing him items.

“Absolutely!” Alexis replied handing the bills over to the vendor.

The vendor smiled.  “I’m sorry…I’m not tryin’ to be THAT guy, but you’re Danielle M, aren’t you?”

Alexis nodded. “Yes sir.”

He grinned more.  “Thought so.  My daughters are both BIG fans.”

Alexis started to blush.  This was actually the first time she’d been recognized in public. It was a bit surreal and thrilling at the same time.

“You got a napkin?” Alexis asked nodding to his bag.

“Yes ma’am.” He said grinning as he immediately started rummaging through the bag.

Meanwhile, JC could only stand there grinning.  He remembered the first time he’d been recognized in public, back in the days of MMC so he was perfectly content to stand back and watch Alexis have this moment.

Alexis found a pen in her purse, then took the napkins from the vendor and smiled.

“What are your daughters’ names?”

“Amber and Rachel.” The vendor replied, now grinning from ear to ear.

Alexis nodded then quickly scrawled a personalized autograph to each girl onto the napkins and handed them back to the vendor.

“Thank you! You just got me some MAJOR brownie points with my girls!”

Alexis nodded and smiled.  “You’re most welcome.”

Once the vendor made his exit JC and Alexis settled back into their seats with their food and beers.

“Was that your first autograph?” JC asked as he popped the top on his beer and took a sip.

Alexis smiled and nodded. “Yeah.”

JC smiled over at her.  “Get ready girl, that was the first of many. I promise you.”

Alexis blushed. “We’ll see about that.”

JC shook his head fervently.  “Don’t doubt yourself.  You’ve got SKILLS. You’re already topping the charts! Trust me on this, I’ve been in the business long enough to know SUPERSTAR when I hear it! You’re a SUPERSTAR! I’ve known that from the day I walked into the studio.”

“Thanks.” Alexis replied blushing a bit more.

It made her feel good to know that he thought so highly of her abilities and she knew he meant every word.

They sat quietly for a bit after that, just enjoying each other’s company and their food.  It was nice to just be out together, just the two of them.  Truthfully, they hadn’t spent a lot of time together, just the two of them since crossing paths again and Alexis was determined to remedy that while they still had a bit of free time every now and then.  Soon enough they would be shooting the video, then there was the *NSYNC album release and promotion and then tour prep after that.  They were both about to be incredibly busy.  With that in mind Alexis was determined to make the most of the time they did have.

“This was a great idea.  Thank you for bringing me.” JC said just before the 7th inning stretch.

“Happy birthday.” Alexis said smiling.

JC stood just as the 7th inning stretch music started to play causing Alexis to look at him curiously.

“What are you doing?” Alexis asked.

JC smiled back at her.  “It’s the 7th inning stretch, you’re supposed to get up and stretch.”

“That’s a real thing?” Alexis asked laughing.

JC laughed.  “Have you not been to a baseball game before?”

“Umm…no.” Alexis replied.

JC grinned.  “We need to get you out more.”

“We?!”

JC chuckled.  “Ok, I need to get you out more.”

“No arguments here.”

JC grinned and bit his lip.  “SO, you’re not opposed to being seen with me in public?”

Alexis made a face.  “No, why?!”

JC grinned and nodded across the field to the giant screen above the stands. 

“Because we are on the “kiss cam”!”

“The what?!” Alexis exclaimed.

“The Kiss Cam!” JC answered, still grinning.

“What does that mean?”

Alexis looked across the field and sure enough, there on the giant screen were her and JC in heart frame.  She looked back at JC.  His face was now inches from hers.

“Are you gonna let me kiss you or disappoint a stadium full of people?” He whispered.

Alexis swallowed the lump in her throat and nodded.  “Go ahead.”

Grinning, JC’s hand went to the back of her head as his lips lightly brushed hers.  Alexis smiled against his lips then deepened the kiss as the crowd erupted with cheers.

JC and Alexis were both smiling as they pulled away and the game continued.

“You do know that’s going to be ALL OVER the evening news.” JC chuckled.

“I would be shocked if it wasn’t.” Alexis smirked.

“I hope that’s ok.”

Alexis giggled.  “Would I have let you kiss me if it wasn’t?”

JC chuckled nervously. “I don’t know.  Would you?”

Alexis laughed.  “Nope!”

“I’ll keep that in mind.”

“You do that.” Alexis teased.

After the game, which the Dodgers won 4-2, Alexis and JC headed back to JC’s place.

“Are you coming in?” JC asked once they were parked in his driveway.

Alexis smiled.  “I don’t know, am I?”

“I asked you first.”

Alexis giggled.  “Josh, do you want me to come in?”

JC nodded and smiled.  “Yes, please.”

Alexis turned off the engine and stepped out of the car then followed him to the door.  She waited anxiously as he undid the lock and deactivated the alarm but didn’t say anything until they were inside.

“Now what?” Alexis asked as she tried to hide the nervousness in her voice.

JC smiled back at her.  “Well, I haven’t opened my present yet.  I thought we could do that.”

“You haven’t? Why?” Alexis asked surprised.

JC smiled and started to lead her to the living room area.

“Well, for one, it wasn’t my birthday yet and two, I wanted you to be with me.”

Alexis nodded and bit her lip then sat down on the couch next to him.  The bag she’d placed the framed photo in was sitting next to the couch, untouched. 

Without saying a word JC reached into the bag and pulled a wrapped package from inside.  It was soft and a bit squishy and he looked at her confused.

Alexis couldn’t help but laugh. 

“That’s from Michelle...NOT me! Just remember that.”

He looked at the package skeptically then shook it.  It didn’t rattle.  He was intrigued.  Then, he placed the package back down on his lap and started to rip into the paper.  His eyes went wide and a deep laugh escaped his lips once he’d removed the package from the wrapping.

“What the fuck?!” He laughed.

Alexis giggled.  “She said she heard that underwear was on your Rider.”

“Where did she hear that?” JC chuckled.

“I don’t know, and frankly, I don’t want to.” Alexis smirked.

“Well, tell her “thank you” I will be saving these for the tour.” JC said grinning.

“So, it’s true?!” Alexis snorted.

“Maybe.”

Alexis just shook her head and nodded to the gift bag. 

“Go ahead and open it.”

Carefully, JC reached into the bag and pulled something rectangular, hard and wrapped in tissue paper from the bag.  Again, he placed the package on his lap but this time he was careful as he pulled at the tissue paper.  Once the tissue paper was free his eyes widened in surprise. 

There was a picture of him and Alexis looking back at him.  They were both laughing and their eyes were smiling as he struggled to hold her on his back.  He’d completely forgotten about this picture and this moment until right then.  It made him sad about all the time they’d lost but happy that he’d found her again in the same moment.

“Wow!” JC whispered.

“You like it?”

JC looked up at her, his eyes a bit cloudy as he forced back the lump that had appeared in his throat.  He nodded then took her face his in his hands. 

“I LOVE it! It’s perfect!” He said before kissing her softly.

“Josh…I…” Alexis started as he pulled away.

“Stay with me tonight?” He replied, his voice still just a whisper.

“I…” She started again.

“Please.” He replied.

Alexis nodded.  She didn’t know how else to respond.  Ever since their first time together she’d wondered if and when there would be a second time.  Now, it seemed as if there might be and she was beyond curious as to how it would feel.

As if reading her mind JC stood from the couch and took her by the hand.  Without saying a word, he led her through the house and up the stairs to the master bedroom.  He stopped at the foot of the bed then turned her to face him. 

“You make me crazy!” JC said smiling a bit.

Alexis made a face, which made him smile more.

“I mean that in a good way, like I can’t get you out of my head.  Everywhere I go, everything I do, you’re there.” JC replied.

Alexis stayed quiet but her lips were starting to curve into a smile.

“I turn on the radio…there you are.  I turn on the television…there you are.  When I go to sleep at night…you’re in my dreams. When I wake up…you’re the first thing I think about. You’re everywhere.”

Alexis grinned.  “Payback is a bitch, isn’t it?”

“Payback?!” JC chuckled.

“YES! Payback! Now you know how I have felt for the past eight years.”

“Is that so?” JC asked grinning.

Alexis nodded.

“What should we do about that?” JC teased.

Alexis bit her lip and grinned up at him.  “Well, you are the birthday boy, what do you want to do?”

He didn’t answer, at least not with words.  Instead, he stepped closer and snaked his arms around her waist, pulling her close.  She smiled up at him and wrapped her arms around his neck as his lips crashed down on top of hers.  His lips moved expertly across hers, pulling her bottom lip between his teeth and then thrusting his tongue into her mouth.  Alexis moaned softly against him as his hands started to fumble with the button on her jeans.  Within moments her jeans were down around her ankles and she quickly stepped out of them all while still kissing him.

It didn’t take long before they were both half naked and on the bed.  She was in a pair of dark green lace, boyfriend cut underwear and matching dark green, lace bra and he was in nothing but a pair of black boxer briefs with his Leo pendant still dangling around his neck. 

They were lying on the bed, facing one another, their bodies tangled together as he continued to kiss her.  He was kissing and gently biting at her neck at the moment and the feel of his lips and teeth on her neck was making her feel all warm and tingly.

“GOD! You are AMAZING! I’m an idiot for not realizing that sooner.” He whispered in her ear.

Alexis cracked a tiny smile then pulled away and put a finger to his lips.  “Shh!  Better late than never.”

“Mmm! Yes, Pretty lady! Yes, and I promise I won’t forget it.” He replied as he wrapped his arms around her then rolled them both so that he was on top of her.

“See that you don’t.” Alexis said with a smirk.

“I won’t.” He said with a wink before pushing her bra up a bit, lowering his head and gently pulling her breast between his lips.

He tugged ever so slightly with his teeth and she moaned and arched her back.

“Josh!” She whimpered as he began to tease her a bit with his tongue.

While he was teasing her with his mouth his hands went to the waistband of her panties as he pushed them down a bit.

“Mmm! I love the way you say my name.” He whispered.

Smiling to himself, JC moved his mouth to the space between her breasts then started trailing kisses down her body until his face was hovering just above her lady parts.  He looked up at her and smiled, his eyes basically asking permission for what he wanted to do next.

Alexis bit her lip and nodded.  It was all the confirmation ne needed.

In the next moment Alexis felt his tongue between her legs, teasing the most sensitive part of her and it was as if a shockwave shot through her in that moment.  Her hands gripped the sheets on either side of her, balling them into her fist as her knuckles turned white.  Her back arched and a small scream escaped her as she called out his name again.

“JOSH!”

JC hands went to her knees, gently holding them for support as he continued to tease at her with his tongue. 

Within a few minutes he could feel her body start to slightly tremble beneath him and it was then he decided to switch gears.  He lifted his head, pushed his boxers down then grabbed her hips and pushed himself inside of her.

Once again, she arched her back to meet him.

“GOD! You feel so GOOD Lexi!” He moaned.

Alexis grabbed at his forearms and looked up at him, her eyes wide with excitement.

“You don’t have to be so gentle this time.” She managed to get out.

He bit his lip and smiled down at her.  “You’re sure?! I am not trying to hurt you.”

Alexis nodded.  “I’m sure, and you won’t.”

JC smiled, popped a kiss on her lips then pulled back a bit before pushing back into her with a bit more force.  Over and over, he thrust into her until they were both shaking.

“LEXI!” He groaned loudly as lost himself inside of her and his head fell back a bit.

Alexis felt herself hit the peak at about the same time.

“OH!” She moaned.

JC collapsed gently on top of her, burying his face in her neck and kissing her softly until he was able to move again.  Smiling to himself, he wrapped his arms around her and rolled them both over so they were now lying on the bed, facing each other again, their bodies still connected.

When Alexis finally opened her eyes, he was grinning back at her mischievously.

“What?!” She asked raising an eyebrow.

“I was just thinking…if my memory is correct…”

Alexis’s eyes widened.  “Don’t you DARE compare me to April right now! So, help me Josh, I will jump out of this bed and leave your ass…”

JC chuckled and then quieted her with his lips.  “Shh! I promised you, I would NEVER do that again…I meant it. All I was going to say was, if memory serves me correctly, Marc took that picture.”

Alexis bit her lip and tried to appear unaffected.  He had no idea that Marc had been her first, and NOW was definitely not the time for that discussion.

“Do you still talk to him much?” Alexis asked bravely.

JC shook his head.  “I haven’t.  Not in a while, but I should.  I should give all of them a call.  Marc, Tony, Jason, Dale, Matt…we need to catch up.  It’s been way too long.”

Alexis smiled and nodded.  She understood the need to re-connect, especially now that she and April were speaking again.

“Then you should call them.  I bet they would all love to hear from you.”

JC smiled and kissed her forehead.  “I will, but right now, right now I really just want to cuddle with you.”

“Sounds good to me.”

Chapter 19 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

Chapter 19

Wednesday of that week, the day after JC’s birthday Alexis spent the morning with JC then had some interviews and a fitting for her music video that afternoon.  In fact, the whole rest of the week both Alexis and JC would be going non-stop. 

The new *NSYNC album, “Private Affair” was supposed to drop that next week, on Tuesday and they would be shooting the video for the first single, the song with Alexis that next Friday.  It was going to be a busy few days, and with that in mind, JC had invited Alexis over for some alone time on Thursday evening.  They ordered Chinese food from JC’s favorite Chinese takeout place and just enjoyed the quiet and each other’s company.  It was nice.

Alexis opened her eyes Friday morning to find JC awake and smiling back at her.

“How long have you been awake?” Alexis asked, rubbing the sleep from her eyes then stifling a yawn.

“Not long.” JC replied grinning.

“Were you watching me sleep?”

JC smiled and popped a kiss on her lips.  “I was.  Do you know how peaceful you look when you’re sleeping?”

Alexis giggled.  “No.”

“I didn’t have the heart to wake you.  You just looked so content, and happy.  You were actually smiling in your sleep.”

Alexis blushed.  “I was probably dreaming.”

“And what do you dream about Pretty Lady?” JC asked, still grinning.

Alexis blushed.  She didn’t have the courage yet to tell him that most of her dreams for the past eight years were about him.

She smiled and shook her head.  “I thought we discussed this, if you tell a wish it won’t come true.”

JC chuckled.  “That’s a wish, not a dream.”

“A dream is a wish your heart makes.” Alexis shot back.

JC laughed then popped another kiss on her lips.  “Cute.  I forget you’re like the Disney quote queen.  Would you like some coffee?”

Alexis sighed and returned the pop kiss.  “Coffee sounds wonderful.”

JC smiled then tossed the covers on the bed aside, stood up and started for the bedroom door.  He was still NAKED from the night before and it made Alexis laugh.

“JOSHUA SCOTT CHASEZ!” Alexis squealed.

JC looked back at her, the smile on his lips was more of an evil grin than a smile.  Her cheeks were flushed and she was biting her bottom lip as she giggled and shook her head.

“What?! It’s MY house! I can walk around naked if I want.” JC teased.

Alexis laughed.  “True.”

He grinned at her then turned and headed for the walk-in closet instead.  Moments later he emerged wearing a pair of sweats and a black, male tank. 

“Better?” He asked wiggling his eyebrows suggestively.

Alexis just giggled and shook her head more.  “I wasn’t complaining before…you just caught me by surprise.”

“Uh huh, sure.” He chuckled.

In the next moment he was gone, leaving Alexis alone in the bed.  She giggled to herself then sat up and pulled the covers up around her body.  His bed was incredibly comfortable, more so than her own, and as she sat there, she began to wonder if it was the bed itself or the fact that it was HIS bed that made her feel so good.

Sighing happily Alexis reached for her phone on the night stand next to her and started to scroll through her messages.  There was a message from Andrew, reminding her about the video shoot the next day.  As if she could forget.  Then, there was a text from Kenny, just checking in with her and a text from her sisters, asking about her night with JC.

Alexis quickly shot a text off to her sisters first, letting them know that things were going well.  Then, she sent a text to Kenny to let him know she was fine and would check in again later.  Finally, she sent a text to Andrew confirming that she hadn’t forgotten about the video shoot. 

Once that was done Alexis placed the phone back down on the night stand and leaned her head back against the wall, closing her eyes for a moment.  She heard the sound of a coffee grinder coming from the downstairs and she couldn’t help but smile.  He was making her fresh coffee and the smell of the beans wafting up the stairs was heavenly.

Minutes later JC re-entered the room carrying two cups of coffee.  He handed one to her then sat back down on the bed next to her.

“Thank you.” Alexis said as she lifted the mug to her lips and took a sip.

Her eyes widened and a smile spread across her lips as the hot liquid traveled down her throat.

“Did you put Peppermint creamer in this?” Alexis asked grinning.

JC smiled and nodded.  “I did.  I found some at the store the other day so I bought it just so you always have some in my fridge.”

Alexis smiled more.  This was the thoughtful Joshua she remembered.

“That was extremely sweet of you.”

JC beamed.  “It was my pleasure Pretty Lady.”

Alexis lifted the cup to her lips again as she tried to hide the fact that she was blushing a bit.  No other guy she’d ever dated made her blush quite the way he did.

“What’s on your agenda for today?” JC asked as he sipped on his own coffee.

Alexis paused in thought then giggled a bit.  “I promised Michelle we would do lunch together then I have a meeting with the video director just to go over final details before the video shoot tomorrow.”

“Should I be worried?” JC smirked.

“About?” Alexis replied.

“The video.” JC chuckled awkwardly.

Alexis laughed. She knew what he was implying.

“No.  No more Josh doppelgangers, I promise.”

This time it was JC that blushed a bit.  “Good to know. I’m not sure I could handle that again, especially not for this song.”

Alexis nodded and grinned.  It thrilled her to think her song had that much of an effect on him, then again, so had the other one.

“There will be a few guys in this video but none that look like you. I swear.”

JC made a face.  “Hmm…not sure I like that either.”

Alexis smiled.  He was jealous and at the moment she found it slightly adorable.

“You have nothing to worry about.  It’s not that kind of video.”

“What kind of video is it?” He asked seriously.

Alexis grinned.  “Nothing like you’re thinking, I promise, it’s all very innocent and playful.  That’s all.”

“I trust you.” He said nodding.

As much as he didn’t like the idea of other guys being that close to her, especially in a video for such a suggestive song he understood that it was all part of the job.  It was an act and she was playing a role, but it still irked him a bit. 

“What are you up to today?” Alexis asked sensing the need to change the subject.

JC smiled.  “I don’t know, just relaxing, I think.  Justin mentioned hitting the gym later but we will see. I kinda like the idea of having a day to myself before things get crazy again.”

Alexis nodded.  She understood the desire to relax completely.  Like JC, she LOVED what she did but the time off to recharge and refocus was always welcome.

“A day to just relax sounds nice.” Alexis said before taking another sip of her coffee.

“You could stay, you know.  We could stay in bed, I could make you breakfast…”

Alexis giggled.  “Breakfast in bed?! Just what are you cooking for breakfast?”

He grinned at her over the top of his coffee cup.  “I make AWESOME toast, and I think I have some fruit in the fridge.”

She shook her head and laughed.  JC loved the way she laughed. He loved the way her eyes seemed to sparkle and the way her laugh lines crinkled.  He loved the sound of her laugh too.  It was cute. 

“Well, as delicious as toast sounds, I really can’t stay in bed with you all day.  Like I said, I promised Michelle we would have lunch and I have a meeting with the video director this afternoon.”

“Do you have to go now?” JC asked pretending to pout.

Alexis giggled and shook her head.  “Not right this second.  I can finish my coffee then I probably should get dressed and head out. It is almost 11.”

“It’s not 11 yet?” JC asked smiling.

Alexis shook her head again. “No. Not yet.”

“What time is it?” JC asked, still smiling at her.

Alexis picked up her cell phone and looked at the time then back at JC.  He was smiling at her and biting his lip.  It was sexy as hell.

“10:40.”

JC grinned then set his coffee cup down on the night stand. 

“Hmm…20 minutes.  What can we do with 20 minutes?” He teased.

He was on his hands and knees now, crawling towards her on the bed.  Alexis laughed and took another sip of her coffee before setting it down on the nightstand beside her.

“You are terrible.” Alexis laughed as he crawled on top of her.

“Rotten to the core, but are you complaining?” JC chuckled quietly before burying his face in her neck.

“No sir.” Alexis giggled.

“Didn’t think so.” He whispered before pushing the comforter down, leaving Alexis naked and exposed on the bed.

The feeling of his lips and his teeth on her neck was sending shockwaves through her but she was trying to play it cool.  Alexis wasn’t quite ready for him to know just how much of an effect he had on her.  She didn’t know why, self-preservation perhaps.  She was still operating on the fear that he was going to leave her again.

Smiling a bit, she lifted his chin so that he was looking at her.  His blue eyes were smoldering and the way his curly hair cascaded around his face was making the butterflies in her stomach do flip flops.  

“Kiss me.” She whispered.

He grinned then placed his lips firmly on top of hers.  Alexis moaned softly and leaned into the kiss.

While he was kissing her JC pushed his sweats down around his knees.  He pushed her knees apart then slowly pushed himself inside of her. 

This time he was slow and attentive, kissing her mouth the whole time.  The rhythm of his kisses matched the rhythm of his thrusts.  He would slow down, making sure she felt every bit of him and then he would speed up a little making her tremble beneath him.  Meanwhile, her hands were all over him.  Alexis was touching every part of him, his chest, his back, his arms, and the feel of her hands on his body was making him dizzy with pleasure.

“Hey Pretty Lady, open those beautiful eyes of yours and look at me.” He whispered gently.

Alexis opened her eyes and looked up at him.  Was it love she saw in his eyes? She couldn’t be sure but he was definitely looking at her differently than he had before.

“Come with me?” He asked smiling.

Alexis bit her lip and nodded. 

Moments later she felt herself let go just as he did and then their bodies both relaxed as JC fell onto the bed next to her.

“That was better than toast.” Alexis teased.

JC laughed out loud.  “I’m glad you approve.”

Alexis rolled over on her side and popped a kiss on his cheek.

“I really should get up and get dressed.  I need to shower and change before lunch and I didn’t bring any clean clothes with me.”

JC nodded.  He didn’t like that she had to leave but he understood. Sighing loudly, he sat up and swung his legs over the side of the bed.  He pulled his boxer briefs on from the night before and then his sweats that he’d kicked off minutes earlier.  Then, he stood up.

“I’ll walk you out.” JC said looking down at her, still in the bed.

Alexis nodded and smiled, then swallowed the last bit of coffee before getting out of the bed.

“What?!” Alexis asked smiling as she pulled on her panties.

“I’m just admiring you.” JC replied grinning.

Alexis giggled.  “Ok.”

“Is that a bad thing?”

Alexis shook her head.  “No.  Not at all. Just know I’m going to do the same to you.”

“I’m good with it.”

Alexis laughed and shook her head as she fastened her bra then pulled her jeans and her t-shirt back on.  He was being very flirty, but she wasn’t about to complain.

Alexis sat back on the bed to put her socks and shoes on but when she stood up, he was in front of her, wrapping his arms around her.

“When do I get to see you again?” He asked as he rested his forehead against hers.

Alexis screwed up her face in thought.  “Hmm…I don’t know. Sometime next week?!”

He shook his head.  “That’s too long.  How about Monday?”

Alexis bit her lip and made a face as she tried to picture her schedule.  Monday.  The *NSYNC album was scheduled for release on Tuesday.  Alexis grinned at him once realization hit. 

“Yes! You will see me Monday! Monday night!”

“I will?!” He asked excitedly.

“Yes! I will be at the Album Release Party Monday night, so will you.”

His eyes widened.  “The Album Release party?! FUCK! That’s right! I almost forgot!  Monday night it is, but you’re leaving with me.”

Alexis giggled. “Done.”

JC dropped another kiss on her lips then took her hand in his.

“C’mon, I will walk you out.”

Alexis quickly gathered her keys and her phone and shoved them into her pockets as she followed him out of the room and down the stairs.

At the door he stopped, pulling her into him again. 

“You’re making this harder than it needs to be.” Alexis whispered against his chest.

“I don’t want you to leave.” He replied.

“I know, but the sooner I go the sooner we get to Monday when I can see you again.”

“You’re gonna call before then, right?” He asked pouting his lip out dramatically.

Alexis giggled and swatted at him playfully. “Of course. I will call and text all weekend, promise.”

JC sighed and placed one last kiss on her lips before pulling away and unlocking the door.  He opened the door but was still facing her so he didn’t see what was on the other side but the sound of a voice snapped both of them from their trance.

“Well, well, well…what do we have here?” A familiar voice asked chuckling.

“Alexis?!” Another deep voice echoed in her ears.

Alexis immediately looked up and her jaw dropped.

Standing in front of the door were Tony Lucca, Matt Morris, Dale Godboldo, Jason Minor and Marc Worden.  All of them had sly grins on their faces and duffel bags in their hands. It was Marc that had said her name and from the moment her eyes met his Alexis knew it was going to get awkward.  They hadn’t seen or spoken to each other in years.

“Alexis?! Alexis Moretti?! Is that really you?” Tony Lucca chuckled.

Alexis blushed.  “Umm…yeah…Hi.”

“Girl! Get your butt out here and give us a hug! It’s been TOO LONG!” Dale said grinning.

Alexis giggled a bit and stepped through the doorway and immediately was pulled into a hug from Dale.  Tony hugged her next, then Matt and Jason, and finally Marc.

The hug from Marc was awkward and sloppy. They fumbled a bit and he looked nervous as he pulled away. JC noticed immediately. 

“It’s good to see you.” Marc managed to say as he pulled away.

Something was up between them, JC could tell just by watching the way Marc seemed to be falling over himself with her.

“I KNEW it!” Matt exclaimed once the hug session finished.

“Knew what?” Alexis asked curiously.

“I’ve seen your video…quite a few times actually, but the name Danielle M. didn’t seem right.  Then, after about the third time watching it, I noticed the Leo pendant on the guy. That’s when I knew it was you.” Matt explained.

Alexis laughed.  “Took you that long Matt?! Geesh, have I really changed that much in eight years?”

“Yes!!” All six men chorused.

“You’ve had a MAJOR Glow Up, for real, you’re looking GOOD Lexi!” Jason teased.

“Hey now!” JC warned sounding defensive.

“Dude! C’mon! She’s HOTT!” Matt chimed in.

Alexis blushed slightly.

“So, it’s true?” Marc asked bravely.

“What’s true?” JC asked, his eyes studying Marc intensely.

“You and Alexis?” Marc continued.

“What about me and Alexis?” JC asked raising an eyebrow.

“Oh, come off it, man! It’s 11 a.m. on a Friday, you’re basically in PJ’s, she’s leaving your house…just admit it…” Tony teased.

JC smirked.  “And just what am I admitting to?”

Alexis made a face and placed her hands on her hips.  She loved Tony but she didn’t like what he was hinting at.

“I’m NOT a Booty Call, if that’s what you’re implying Lucca, and I don’t really appreciate the insinuation either.”

Tony smiled and held up his hands in surrender.  “Never! I would never imply such a thing! You’re too good for that, always have been Lexi.  All I am saying is, it’s good to see you again, and it’s about time JC started admitting he chose the wrong Moretti the first time around.”

Alexis lowered her eyes a bit. “Careful, Tony! That’s my sister you’re talking about.”

“Right?! But last time I heard she was in New York, and you two weren’t speaking.” Dale chimed in.

Alexis smirked.  “There have been some very recent developments in regards to THAT, but regardless, she is my sister and as much as we disagree, I refuse to let anyone talk bad about her.”

“That’s fair, but for the record, I agree with Tony, you were ALWAYS the right choice.” Jason added grinning.

“Exactly!” Tony replied winking at her.

JC just chuckled and shook his head.  This was NOT AT ALL how he had envisioned his day would go but he did have to admit it was good to see old friends. They had A LOT of catching up to do.

“Ok, ok, you’ve made your point, now, please, someone tell me what you all are doing here? I’m not complaining in the least, I’m just curious because I haven’t talked to any of you in MONTHS.”

“What?! We can’t just show up and surprise you.” Matt smirked.

JC laughed.  “You can, I am just curious as to why.  What’s the occasion?”

“You just said it, you haven’t talked to any of us in months and you did just have a birthday.  We thought we would surprise you with a “guys weekend” just the six of us.  Catch up, hang out, drink, eat, reminisce, celebrate the fact that you’ve joined the 30 club.” Dale explained.

“Sounds great.” JC said grinning.

Alexis smiled and shook her head.  This whole scenario had awkward written all over it and she felt the need to escape before it got any worse.  She did NOT want to be around if it slipped that she and Marc had been together.  She wanted to be as far away as possible IF and when that happened.

“You guys have fun with that. I am going to head out.” Alexis smirked.

“Aww. You can’t stay, just for a little bit?” Dale asked hopefully.

“Sorry.  Maybe next time.  Michelle is expecting me for lunch and I have a meeting this afternoon.” Alexis explained.

“Next time. That’s a date.” Tony said grinning.

Alexis giggled and shook her head.  “Have fun gentlemen.  Josh…I’ll talk to you later.”

In the next instant Alexis was gone, headed down the driveway towards her car.  However, she didn’t say or do anything until she was inside.  Once inside the safety and privacy of her car Alexis pulled out her phone and shot off a text to her sisters.

Alexis: Shit! I am in trouble!

Michelle: Why?

Alexis: Tony, Matt, Jason, Dale AND Marc just showed up at Josh’s place!

April: Damn! Do you think Josh knows?

Alexis:  I am sure that he doesn’t.  Josh was already long gone when Marc and I got together

April: Do you think Marc will say anything

Alexis: I don’t know but it was awkward so I am sure Josh noticed

Michelle: Well, it’s not like Josh has to worry…Marc is married now and he has a kid

Alexis: He is? He does? How do you know that?

Michelle: I just looked it up.  Matt, Marc and Jason live here in LA.  I’ve actually seen Matt and Jason a few times but they had NO CLUE who I was

Alexis: Oh

Alexis breathed a tiny sigh of relief.  At least she didn’t have to worry about Marc still being interested in her.  That would have driven Josh over the edge for sure.

Back at the front door JC was ushering his friends into the house. 

“This is quite the surprise.” JC chuckled as his friends stepped into the foyer.

“I called Justin.  He said your schedule was pretty open this weekend so we decided to just go for it.” Matt explained.

JC grinned and shook his head.  “You called Justin?! Of course, you did, and what was he doing when you called?”

“You know, I actually think he was out with a girl when I called.” Matt answered grinning.

JC laughed at this.  “Probably.  He’s kinda seeing Michelle.”

“Michelle?” Dale asked raising an eyebrow.

“Michelle Moretti; otherwise known as Alexis and April’s little sister.”

“That cute kid with the braid that used to tag along after April and Alexis all the time?” Tony laughed.

JC smirked and nodded his head.  “Yeah.  She’s not a kid anymore…I swear to GOD she’s like the younger, slightly shorter version of April and Alexis…it’s kinda creepy actually.”

“I bet.” Matt chuckled.

“So, give us the scoop!” Jason urged.

JC grinned and bit his lip.  “Tell you what, let me give you the tour then I’ll get a quick shower and I’ll tell you everything afterwards while we grill up some burgers or something.”

“Sounds perfect but we better get the Reader’s Digest version and not the Cliffnotes.” Dale teased.

“Deal.”

After showing the guys around the house and finding an air mattress in the garage JC left his friends to get settled while he jumped in the shower.

JC shut the bedroom door then walked into the master bathroom and opened the shower door.  He turned the water on, giving it time to get warm while he went to the closet and pulled out clean clothes.  He pulled a clean pair of boxer briefs from the drawer then settled on a pair of jeans and a simple navy blue, v-neck t-shirt. 

He stripped quickly then stepped in, allowing the hot water to hit his back and shoulders as he felt himself relax.  He was excited about having his old friends over to visit but there was something about the interaction between Alexis and Marc that didn’t sit well with him.  Yes, she’d been surprised to see them, he had been too, but with Marc it was awkward, like they didn’t know how to act around each other. 

Grunting a bit in frustration JC dropped his head back and allowed the water to splash over his head and face.  Things were finally good between him and Lexi, they were finally in a place where they were at least comfortable around each other, and now, here was another roadblock. 

Had something happened between Alexis and Marc? If so, what? When?  Just thinking about it was making him tense up again.  He needed to chill. This was supposed to be a fun weekend with his friends, not more drama.

After the shower JC quickly dried himself off then got dressed and headed out to the kitchen/dining room area. 

Tony had been to his place several times, Dale too, so they knew where everything was and were already making themselves at home. 

Tony had miraculously found hamburger meat in the fridge and was molding it into hamburger patties while Dale was scouring the fridge for condiments and other burger toppings.  It felt completely normal, and NOT normal at all at the same time.

“Didn’t waste any time finding the food, did you?” JC chuckled as he walked into the kitchen.

“Not really, no.” Dale smirked.

It didn’t take long before they were all out in the backyard, on the patio.  Tony took control of the grill while Dale brought out the condiments and other burger toppings and Matt carried out beers. Where all the beer had come from JC had no idea but he wasn’t complaining.

Jason handed JC a beer as they all stood around the grill just chatting.

For a while it was casual conversation.  They talked about work and families and sports but the topic of discussion quickly shifted to JC and Alexis.

“Ok, so give us the details, you and Alexis, how did that happen?” Tony teased.

JC chuckled nervously. “Umm…well…it was a bit of a surprise.  I got asked by her label to produce her album, or should I say, I got asked to produce Danielle M.’s album.  I had no idea it was her, but there was just something about her and that song that was making me crazy.”

“So, you heard it before you saw the video?” Matt asked.

“Yeah, I mean, it was the first song on her album that we worked on and that first day, when she sang it, I could have sworn she was singing it to me.  It was just so haunting and that look…OH MY GOD!”

“And you had no clue it was her?” Dale smirked.

“Nope.” JC said shaking his head furiously.

“When did you figure it out?” Marc asked.

Until then he had been curiously quiet and it was making JC crazy.

JC chuckled and bit his lip.  “Umm…well…technically, I didn’t.  She had to tell me.  I took her out, after we finished the album.”

“On a date?” Jason laughed.

JC blushed. “Yeah.”

“But you still had no idea it was her?” Matt smirked.

“Nope.”

“Classic.” Tony teased.

“So, then what happened? After you took her out?” Dale chimed in.

“Umm…well…after our date I offered to walk her to the door.  She said I didn’t need to, but I insisted.  Then, we got to the door and I asked if I could see her again and she kinda blew me off.”

All the guys started to laugh at this.  It was a bit un-nerving, but at the same time he understood why they found it funny.

“Go on.” Jason chuckled.

“I said something…I don’t remember what exactly but I called her Danielle and she corrected me and said her name was Alexis.  I didn’t get it at first, not until she mentioned that I used to call her Lexi.”

“I bet that went over well.” Tony smirked.

“OH! I was pissed! Unfortunately, we were standing inside the house by that point so, of course, Michelle walked out and basically chewed us both out.  I spent the night on the couch.”

All five men were chuckling and shaking their heads.  In truth, he wasn’t mad at them.  The whole thing was a bit over the top but then, he wasn’t complaining one bit about how it was turning out.

“Things seem good now though. You two seem…happy.” Marc said smiling awkwardly.

JC nodded and tried not to let his emotions show too much.  “Yeah.  I think things are good.  We are still trying to figure out how we feel, and well, April showed up last week so that was weird.”

“Dude! April was HERE! In LA?! You should have led with that!” Dale exclaimed as Tony started serving up burgers.

Once they were all seated at the patio table JC continued his explanation of what had happened.

“Yeah, last weekend, at my birthday party, she showed up, not on purpose.  It happened by pure coincidence.  I guess she saw the video too and decided to come to LA and make things right with me and Alexis.  She had no idea we were going to be at the same restaurant at the same time.  It was….it was SOMETHING! Alexis lost her SHIT! Then Michelle made them both leave and locked them both in her and Alexis’s apartment until they worked things out.”

Tony laughed and shook his head.  “Apparently all 3 of the Moretti girls are FEISTY! I thought April and Alexis were bad, Michelle sounds FIERCE!”

JC grinned and nodded. “She TOTALLY is!”

“Sounds like Timberlake may have met his match.” Matt snickered.

“Oh, she is more than capable of keeping him on his toes. I have NO doubt about that.” JC chuckled.

“Did April end up apologizing to you?” Jason asked sincerely.

JC cracked a smile and nodded.  “Yeah.  They had to trick me to get me to meet with her, but yeah, she apologized, then confirmed that Alexis was in love with me for the past eight years.”

“Are you in love with her?” Marc asked bluntly.

Married with kids or not, Marc knew that Alexis was a good person and deserved someone who would treat her well.  In other words, he still cared about her.

“Ok, for real, Worden, what is your deal? You’ve been WEIRD since you got here, since I opened the door and you saw Lexi.  Did something happen between you two?” JC blurted out.

Marc shifted in his chair.  He’d known from the moment JC had opened the door that this was going to be weird, but, there was no sense hiding what happened.  It would just make things worse, and, he was married now, happily married with a son so it wasn’t like JC had to worry about competition.

All eyes were on Marc.  He hadn’t told anyone this, except for his wife, who happened to be a big fan of Alexis and her music. However, as his wife had pointed out, Alexis was part of his past, part of what made him the man she’d fallen in love with so she couldn’t fault Alexis one bit.

“Umm…so…what you have to understand is…” Marc stuttered.

“Wait?! Wait?! Marc? Man, DID something happen between you and Lexi?” Tony asked as four pairs of eyes went wide.

“Well..umm…we were all friends…all of us…you, me, Tony, Matt, Dale, Jason, Lindsey, Jennifer, April and Alexis and the MMC ended and we all started going our separate ways.  You and Justin went off to Nashville and then to Europe with *NSYNC, Tony went to LA and then Nashville…”

“Ok yeah, not many of us stuck around, got it, keep going.” JC insisted as he felt the veins in his neck start to throb in anger.

“I stuck around for a bit, just trying to figure out what I was doing next.  I wasn’t in a rush to go back to Canada and Alexis and I we just started hanging out…”

“Hanging out?” JC asked as his jaw started to tighten.

“Yeah, hanging out.  You know, going to dinner, the movies, stuff like that.” Marc answered.

He could see that JC was getting angry, and he could hear the tension in his voice.  This was not going to go well.  That much was obvious, but he wasn’t about to run or hide from the situation.  They were grown men who should be able to handle their differences like adults, and Marc wasn’t about to end a friendship that was over a decade old because of a woman.

“So, you were dating her?” JC grumbled.

“Yeah, ok, we were dating.  You were still with April and would be still for at least another year or so.” Marc shot back.

“And?” JC replied.

“And what?” Marc answered.

“There’s more. I can tell just by the look on your face.” JC smirked.

“Like I said, you were off in Nashville with Justin but you were still dating April.”

“Ok, I was still dating April, we’ve established that but what aren’t you telling me?” JC replied, but this time his voice was more of a growl then a grumble.

“You guys were there a few months then you came back and jumped right into *NSYNC…” Marc continued.

“I don’t need a history lesson, I was there, get to the point Marc.” JC snapped.

“Things got serious between Alexis and I, then you went off to Europe and well…”

Around the table every pair of eyes was wide with shock.  None of them had known, apparently not even JC but now that he did, he was NOT happy.

“Marc…did you and Alexis…” Tony began.

“DON’T! Don’t answer that Marc.  I don’t want to know.” JC growled, his body seething with anger.

However, Marc was not about to let JC have the last word.

“LOOK man, I get it!  She was your best friend, but you weren’t dating her.  You were dating her SISTER, and if memory serves me correctly, after you came back from Europe, you were talkin’ about putting a ring on it! So, don’t sit here and act like you had claim to her too!” Marc shot back.

“You could have said something.”

“Yeah, I could have, but would it have changed anything?! No.”

“So, then, why did you two end it?” JC asked, still grumbling a bit.

Marc smiled at JC a bit.  Really, it was half a smirk and a smile.  Of course, he would ask that question. 

“Two reasons. One, I realized there really was nothing for me in Orlando anymore, aside from her, and two, because right about the time I realized that, I also came to the realization that it would have never worked long term between us because she was in love with someone else.”

“Who was that?” JC smirked.

“You! Dumbass!”

“So, you broke up with her?” Dale asked bravely.

No one wanted to piss off JC further.  He already looked and sounded pretty upset.

Marc smiled a bit more and shook his head.  “Yes, and no. It was mutual.  She was cool about it, and we stayed in touch for a bit.  She called me after you left, that night actually. She was pretty upset.”

“What did she say?” JC asked curiously.

“Not much.  She didn’t really want to talk about it so we talked about other stuff.”

There was an awkward pause that followed.  JC didn’t know how to respond to this new information.  It bothered him that neither Marc or Alexis had ever mentioned anything about their relationship, but he’d be lying to himself if he didn’t admit he understood why.  How exactly did one bring that topic up in a discussion?

Finally, after several very tense and awkward moments Marc found the courage to speak again.

“I get it, you’re jealous.  I don’t blame you.  I probably would be too, but she’s not the one I’m married to now, is she?” Marc smirked.

“No.” JC sighed.

“Exactly my point.”

“Yeah man, she’s with you now so quit being pissy.” Dale teased.

“I’m not being pissy.” JC replied defensively.

“Yeah, you kinda were, but we get it, trust me.” Tony chuckled.

“Just do us all a favor.” Jason added.

“What’s that?” JC asked with a smirk.

“Don’t walk away this time.” Marc replied.

Chapter 20 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

 

Chapter 20

It was a whirlwind of a weekend.  The video shoot for Alexis’s second single, “Bang, Bang” went off without a hitch but it was a LONG day.  One that stretched into the wee hours of Sunday.  However, despite her exhaustion, Alexis felt good about the video.  Truthfully, it had been a lot of fun to shoot and now she was anxious to see and hear what others thought, particularly Josh and the rest of *NSYNC.

On Sunday Alexis slept a good part of the morning but managed to drag herself out of bed before noon.  Michelle was already up when Alexis got out of bed but instead of doing chores around the house like Alexis thought she would be Michelle was seated at the kitchen counter with her lap top and a cup coffee, her fingers flying furiously across the keys.

“You look…busy.” Alexis said yawning as she shuffled her way to the coffee maker.

Michelle sighed heavily and took a sip of her coffee.

“This is it, my last year of Grad school, and technically this is my last semester, that is if I can come up with and submit my Capstone project proposal on time but I’m fresh out of ideas. I don’t just want to do the typical internship and analysis paper.  I want something more adventurous, something that stands out.”

Alexis nodded.  The three Moretti girls had NEVER been the type to settle for the status quo.  If they did something then they put their whole heart and soul into it, Alexis with her music, April with her designs but apparently Michelle hadn’t found her passion yet. 

“You’ll think of something. I am sure of it.  I would say don’t stress yourself out over it, just relax and keep yours eyes open.  Inspiration could come from anywhere.”

“I know.  I just wish it would come a little faster.” Michelle grumbled.

Alexis smiled and nodded.  She understood her sister’s frustration completely.

“What’s on your agenda for the day?” Michelle asked before taking another sip from her cup.

“Absolutely NOTHING! Thank goodness.  I’m still trying to recover from yesterday.”

Michelle grinned.  “Yeah.  I bet.  I only had to be there for a couple hours and I thought it was intense but interesting as hell to watch.  That whole process is just so …mesmerizing.”

Alexis turned to look at her sister and grinned.  It felt good knowing that Michelle took such an interest in her career.

“Yeah, thanks for doing that.  I never imagined when the label said they wanted to make the song a single that they would leave your voice in for the rap.  I always just assumed we would re-record it with someone else.  Although, I have to admit it was fun to have you in the video with me.”

Michelle bit her lip and nodded.  “It was fun.  Now I am just anxious for it to come out and hear what others think of it.”

“Others?” Alexis teased.

Michelle smirked a bit.  “Yeah, you know; Mom, Dad, April…”

“Justin.” Alexis finished.

Michelle blushed a bit.  “Ok, yeah, and Justin.”

Alexis nodded again.  Then took another sip of her coffee before speaking.

“He invited you to the party tomorrow, right?”

Michelle blushed again and nodded.  “Yeah. Did Josh invite you?”

Alexis laughed.  “Yes and no.  Since I have a song with them on the album, I got an invite from the label, but yes, Josh would have invited me anyway.”

“Makes sense.  What are you going to wear?”

Alexis giggled.  “I don’t know, I was going to ask you the same thing.”

“Is it going to be as dressy as yours was?”

Alexis paused in thought.  “You know, I’m not sure.  I would think not just because this isn’t *NSYNC’s first album, but given that they haven’t released a new album since Celebrity I am not sure.  I know this album is a big deal for them and they have a lot riding on it so maybe it’s a more formal thing.”

Michelle grinned.  “Look at you laying down some *NSYNC knowledge. I’m so proud.”

Alexis laughed.  “I learned from the best.”

After reaching out to April for suggestions and an impromptu shopping trip late that afternoon Alexis and Michelle found outfits suitable for the release party. 

Kenny arrived at the condo shortly before 7:30 and the chauffeured car *NSYNC’s label arranged for arrived about fifteen minutes later.  Truthfully, Alexis suspected that it was actually Justin and JC that had arranged for the chauffeured car but she wasn’t about to complain.  This was a BIG event so parking would be a BEAST and definitely not something anyone wanted to hassle with.

Once the car arrived at the party and Alexis stepped out of the vehicle, she let out the breath she didn’t even realized she’d been holding.  This was a BIG deal for *NSYNC! This album had been nearly 5 years in the making.  There was a LOT of pressure for the album to do well.  Alexis knew how hard the guys had worked on this album, how much of themselves they had put into it.  It wasn’t like any of their previous albums, at least not based on what she’d heard.  This album was much more about the men they had grown into. The content was more mature and their voices more seasoned.  It sounded amazing, or at least the parts she’d heard did, but she completely understood the anxiety they were inevitably feeling.

Unlike her own release party this one was much more of an event.  Instead of the ballroom of a swanky Hollywood hotel, this one was being held at one of LA’s premiere nightclubs; Greystone Manor. The paparazzi was out in full force and the Red carpet was lined with reporters from various media outlets, all itching for an exclusive photo or juicy sound-byte to use. 

“Wow!” Michelle breathed out as they approached the Red Carpet.

“Right?!” Alexis giggled nervously.

“It wasn’t like this for your Release Party.” Michelle mused.

Alexis smiled and shook her head.  “Well…I’m not *NSYNC, I haven’t been on hiatus for almost five years and I am not Justin Timberlake, who just released my 2nd, INCREDIBLY successful solo album, nor am I Lance Bass, who just came out as Gay like a month ago.”

Michelle giggled a bit and nodded.  “True!”

It was then that Alexis turned to her sister and smiled.  “Ok, so now I have to ask you something, and I want you to think about it because once you make a decision there is no going back.”

Michelle nodded but stayed quiet.

“The video for “Bang, Bang” drops tomorrow, once it does people are going to know who you are.  There are going to be those that say you’re only on the track because you are my sister, but you and I both know that was the label’s decision, not mine or yours.  SO…I have to ask you, do you want to walk the Red carpet with me or do you want to avoid all that mess and go in on the DL?”

Michelle grinned back at her sister.  “Lexi, please!  You should know me better than that! I could give a rat’s ass what the haters think. Let em’ hate! The people I love know the truth and that’s all matter as far as I am concerned.  I would be honored to walk the Red Carpet with you, but now I have to ask you something?”

“Ask away?”

“Why aren’t you walking the Red Carpet with Josh?” Michelle replied seriously.

Alexis blushed slightly.  “Umm…well…aside from Joey who is married, all the guys are walking the Red-Carpet solo.”

“Did he ask you to walk the Red Carpet with him?”

Alexis laughed slightly.  “No.  Did Justin ask you?”

Michelle smirked.  “It’s not like that.”

“Yeah, that’s what you both keep saying.  Personally, I think admitting you have a problem is the first step towards recovery.” Alexis teased.

“Are we doing this or not?” Michelle laughed as she swatted at her sister.

“Let’s do this!” Alexis replied as she and Michelle started towards the Red Carpet.

Kenny fell into step directly behind them, but far enough back that he was out of frame when they posed for photos.

The moment that Alexis and Michelle came into view the cameras started flashing and people began to call out, shouting questions from behind the velvet rope.

“Who is your date?”

“What are you wearing?”

Alexis smiled for the cameras and posed with her sister before responding.

“This is my sister, Michelle…we are both wearing designs by April Denise.”

Alexis was wearing a pair of mermaid inspired pants.  The material was thin, and translucent but was covered in shiny fabric in hues of pink, purple and aqua that fell like tinsel down her legs.  Her top was a soft pink color, made of chiffon perhaps.  Alexis wasn’t sure, but whatever it was, it was gorgeous.  It came off one shoulder, then fell down on one side all the way down to her feet, almost like a train on a gown.  She LOVED it.

Michelle on the other hand, was dressed a bit more demurely.  She was also wearing an outfit designed by her sister.  It was a long, white chiffon skirt with a slip skirt underneath and a blue halter top that showed off just the tiniest bit of skin at her waist.

In other words, they were both dressed to impress!

After posing for at least a dozen photos Kenny ushered the two girls forward towards the entrance.  Meanwhile, the questions were still coming.  There were a few about her presence on the album and maybe one or two about her relationship with Josh but by then they were already at the door.

Inside, the club was GORGEOUS. Dozens of crystal chandeliers, ornate patterned ceilings, wooden floors and staircases, vintage leather and velvet couches.  It felt like you were in a turn of century Victorian inspired mansion and not a night club.  It was without a doubt, one of the fanciest places either of the Moretti girls had ever been to.

“I wish April could see this.  She would LOSE her shit! This place is AMAZING!” Michelle hissed grabbing her sister by the arm.

“Right?! “Alexis giggled.

“Twenty bucks says Justin picked this place.  This totally seems like his style.”

Alexis made a face at her sister.  “His style?  So, you know his style now?  Tell me again that you guys are not dating.”

Michelle gave her sister a look.  “You might not remember him from the MMC days but I do.  I’ve been following his career since then, and ok, yeah, we’ve been hanging out recently so yes, I think I know his style.”

Alexis smirked and shook her head.  “Fair enough.  Should we go find a drink?”

“Yes please.” Michelle huffed.

Together, with Kenny close behind, Alexis and Michelle found the nearest bar.  There were several within the club and all were well stocked and staffed for the party. 

“What can I get you ladies?” the bartender asked.

Alexis grinned.  “Well, typically we are tequila girls but this is a special occasion so what would you recommend?”

The bartender chuckled a bit.  “Tequila girls, I like it.  Truthfully, I can make you anything you want but there are five signature cocktails for the evening. “

Michelle snorted, behind her, Kenny rolled his eyes.

“Ok what are they?” Michelle asked as she tried to hide her smirk.

“Well…we have the Cosmonaut for Lance which is a take on the White Russian with coconut milk and Coconut rum.”

Both girls giggled and nodded.

“Go on.” Alexis laughed.

“Then we have the Tennessee Honey Hole ….”

“That’s for Chris, right?” Michelle teased.

“Right!” the bartender laughed.

“What’s in it?” Alexis laughed as she shook her head.

“That one is Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey, Peaches and Ginger ale.”

“What’s JC’s drink?” Alexis asked curiously.

“The Fine Ass Fig & Cardamom Gin & Tonic.”

Both girls snorted loudly, barely able to control their laughter.

“For the record, I did NOT come up with the names.  The label hired some mixologist to come up with the drinks and teach the staff to make them.” The bartender replied, laughing with them.

“I’m afraid to ask what the other two are.” Michelle snickered.

“Chris is the Fineapple Vodka Lemonade.”

Again, both girls laughed and shook their heads.

“And Joey?” Alexis replied.

“Joey is the Fatone Fire Peach Tequila Sour.”

“What’s in that?” Michelle asked curiously.

Given that they were tequila girls that didn’t sound half bad.

“Let me think…umm…lime juice, red pepper jelly, bitters, Peach Schnapps and tequila.”

“I’ll take the Tennessee Honey Hole.” Michelle giggled.

“Got it, and for you?” He asked looking to Alexis.

She blushed and bit her lip.  “Umm…I’ll try the Fine Ass Fig & Cardamom Gin & tonic.”

“Done.  What about you? Anything to drink?” the Bartender replied looking behind the two women to Kenny.

Kenny shook his head and laughed a bit.  “I’m technically on duty but I suppose one would be ok.”

The bartender grinned and nodded.  “With as big as you are, I am positive one would be fine.  What can I get for you?”

Kenny laughed.  “I’ll have a Gin & tonic, minus the Fine Ass and the Fig please.”

Once they had their drinks the girls started to mingle through the club.  There had been no *NSYNC sightings as of yet but there were plenty of people already gathered.  It made sense that the members of *NSYNC would be the last to arrive as they were the guests of honor.  However, there was no shortage of celebrity guests at this party.  Within moments of stepping into the club Alexis spotted Ellen Degeneres, Carson Daly, Timbaland, Richard Marx, Pharell Williams as well as Johnny Wright and Clive Davis.  In addition, Alexis’s manager; Andrew Thomas was also in attendance and currently milling about. 

Alexis and Michelle were keeping to themselves for the most part.  Both girls were a bit out of their element and truthfully, both were on the lookout for *NSYNC, or at least certain members of *NSYNC.

Twenty minutes later *NSYNC made their entrance.  One by one they filed into the club to applause from those that had gathered.  All of them were dressed sharply in tailored suits but it what was missing on JC that made Alexis suck in a breath and her knees begin to shake.  His curly locks were GONE!  He’d cut his hair.  He now looked almost exactly as he had the day he walked out of her life, all the way down to the pendant around his neck.

“OH MY GOD!” Alexis whispered grabbing Michelle by the arm.

“It’s about DAMN time! He looked ridiculous with long hair.” Michelle teased.

Alexis blushed and shrugged. “It was growing on me, but yes, I prefer this look.”

Once all five men made their entrance, they started making the rounds as a group.  Alexis and Michelle watched with admiration as they took their time with nearly every guest at the party.  The two girls were mingling as well, making polite small talk with some of the guests as they made their way around the perimeter of the club towards where *NSYNC had stopped to talk with Timbaland and Pharell. 

“I don’t know Johnny…the Board and I just aren’t convinced she is the right fit for the tour.” Michelle overheard Clive Davis say.

“You do know she is on the album.” Johnny reasoned.

Johnny Wright knew that part of the deal with this album, the majority reason that all five members of *NSYNC had agreed to come back was because the label had assured them that they would have COMPLETE creative control over the album and any subsequent tour.  In other words, if the label was having second thoughts it was not going to go over well.

“Yes, yes, I know but one song doesn’t mean she’s tour material or tour ready.” Clive replied.

“Have you heard the song?” Johnny asked.

“I have. It’s good, but frankly, I think they should have gone with someone like Kelly Clarkson or Alicia Keys.  It would have been just as good, if not better.”

“Maybe, maybe not.” Johnny answered.

“I just don’t think she has the right sound to mesh well on an *NSYNC tour.”

Michelle looked to Alexis.  She hadn’t heard what was being said.  Then Michelle looked to Kenny.  Kenny had heard and his eyes were wide.  He knew the Moretti girls well enough now that he knew Clive’s statements weren’t going to go without a rebuttal.

Michelle grabbed her sister by the hand and pulled her closer to the two men.  Meanwhile, the members of *NSYNC were also approaching.  In fact, they reached Clive and Johnny at the same time Michelle, Alexis and Kenny did and Andrew Thomas; Alexis or Danielle’s manager joined the group a moment later.

Michelle downed the rest of her drink in an instant then handed it off to waiter who happened to be in the right place at the right time.  With her glass gone Michelle took a deep breath and then opened her mouth to speak.

“Excuse me, Mr. Davis I couldn’t help but overhear, allow me to introduce myself, I’m Michelle Renee Moretti…”

Michelle outstretched her hand and he took it, shaking it cautiously. 

“She’s my…” Alexis started to explain but Michelle cut her off.

“I’m Danielle’s Publicist.” Michelle said seriously.

Immediately, Justin had to cover his mouth to smother his smile.  He had no idea what was going on or what had prompted Michelle to come at Clive Davis like this but he could tell by the look on her face that she was poised for battle.

“Nice to meet you Miss Moretti.  What can I do for you?” Clive asked politely.

Meanwhile Johnny was shooting both Andrew and JC a look of confusion.  Both men shrugged.

“Well, sir, I couldn’t help but overhear your conversation with Mr. Wright just now and as Miss Moretti’s Publicist I have to say…”

“Moretti, isn’t that your last name?” Clive asked his eyebrows raised.

“It is.” Michelle replied curtly.

“So, that would mean you are …”

“I am sorry Sir; I am going to have to stop you right there.  I apologize, but for the purpose of this discussion I am Miss Moretti’s Publicist, any other connection I may or may not have to Miss Moretti beyond that is irrelevant as it pertains to this discussion.”

Clive was slightly annoyed, but also slightly amused and intrigued.  Whomever this woman was, and whatever her connection to the artist might be, she was definitely not afraid of anything, or anyone.

Behind her and around her the men of *NSYNC were all grins.  Meanwhile, Alexis was standing there dumbfounded.  She had no idea what was happening but she knew her sister well enough to tell when she was PISSED, and Michelle was definitely pissed.

“Alright, go on.” Clive said motioning for her to continue.

“As I was saying, I couldn’t help but overhear your discussion with Mr. Wright just now and as Miss Moretti’s Publicist I am going to have to respectfully disagree with your assessment.  I think Miss Moretti is absolutely capable of a tour and definitely has the sound that would “mesh” well with *NSYNC. “

Around Michelle, every other jaw dropped.  The men of *NSYNC were definitely paying attention now as was Alexis.  In fact, JC and Justin did NOT look happy.  The idea that Clive Davis was now questioning their decisions in regards to the album and the tour wasn’t sitting well at all.  However, no one had the chance to speak on the topic because Michelle was far from finished.

“As Mr. Wright pointed out just now, she already has a song with them on the album and just in case you were unaware, I know you’re a busy man, I’d also like to point out that Mr. Chasez was the primary producer on her album. In other words, I think he will more than vouge for her “sound.”

JC could only nod and try not to laugh.  He was quite familiar with this side of the Moretti sisters. 

Clive smiled a bit and opened his mouth to speak but Michelle kept going.

“Furthermore, and please Sir, understand that I mean no disrespect. I am well aware of who you are and your reputation within the music industry.  You are an Icon, no doubt about that, but just how well do you know *NSYNC and what “meshes” with them?  I’ll spare you the history lesson, since it is the history of YOU in some respects, but as pertains to *NSYNC you really haven’t been around all that much, at least not until recently.  All the mergers and label acquisitions that have occurred since you and Clive Calder founded JIVE, it would make anyone head’s spin.  It was Barry Weiss and Clive Calder that were present for most of their career.  I mean, again Sir, no disrespect, you say that you’ve heard the song but have you listened to Miss Moretti’s album? I’m going to take a wild guess that you’ve at least her first two singles, but what about the rest of it?”

“Umm…no…” Clive stuttered as he tried to keep from chuckling.

“I didn’t think so, however, as I said earlier, I understand, you’re a very busy man.  Knowing that, and as Miss Moretti’s Publicist I think it’s relevant to this discussion that I point out to you that it was your own artist, a Grammy and American Music Award winning singer, songwriter and producer; Mr. Justin Timberlake that initially brought the idea of having Miss Moretti sing on the track to the table. And well, correct me if I am wrong Sir, but if you trusted Cissy Houston, who at the time had no awards, and no other credentials to speak of, but had a well- established reputation as a gospel singer, to bring you Whitney Houston; one of the greatest voices of all time, why wouldn’t you trust Mr. Timberlake to potentially do the same?  I think he’s more than proven he knows his stuff, don’t you?”

Alexis couldn’t help but beam at her sister for defending her honor to Clive Davis of all people.

“Publicist? Is that what you said?” Clive said, stifling a smile.

“Yes Sir.” Michelle said, standing her ground.

“Not manager?” Clive continued.

“No Sir.” Michelle replied.

“I’m Miss Moretti’s Manager.” Andrew chimed in.

Clive nodded.  “I see, and do you agree with your client’s Publicist?”

Andrew smiled.  “100%”

Clive then looked to the men of *NSYNC, who were all still trying to maintain some shred of composure.

“What about you five, since as it was just pointed out to me, you know Miss Moretti better than I do, would you say she is *NSYNC tour material?”

“Definitely!” Justin replied grinning, while the others all nodded.

“We wouldn’t have already asked her if she wasn’t.” JC chimed in.

Clive nodded then looked back to Michelle and smiled.  “Is it just the two of you, or is there another Moretti milling around this party that I should be concerned about running into?”

Alexis bit her lip and tried not to giggle.  “There is a third, but I can assure you Mr. Davis, she is not here tonight.”

Clive just grinned.  “Moretti, is that spelled M-o-r-e-t-t-i?”

“Yes Sir.” Both girls replied.

Clive chuckled a bit then looked from Alexis to Michelle. “I’m going to have to remember that one! You make a strong case Miss Moretti, and it’s obvious you know the music business so I am going to consider your argument. I like your spunk and your determination.  Very few have been brave enough to question me, and even fewer have been able to with the knowledge and class you just demonstrated, and for THAT reason alone I will take your concerns to the Board.  Someone will be in touch.”

“Thank you, Sir.” Michelle replied smiling politely.

Johnny just shook his head and chuckled a bit as he and Clive walked away.  Once they were out of range the men of *NSYNC turned on Michelle. 

Justin was grinning and shaking his head as were the others.

“What just happened?” Justin asked chuckling a bit.

“That’s what I want to know.” Alexis added.

Michelle grinned devilishly.  “I overheard Mr. Davis telling Mr. Wright that he didn’t think my sister was right for the *NSYNC tour, and that he thought you guys should have gone with Kelly Clarkson or Alicia Keys for the song and well…I’m a Moretti, so I wasn’t about to let those statements go unchecked.”

“Thank you.” Alexis said as she smiled and shook her head.

If there was one thing she could say about Michelle, it was that she had absolutely NO FEAR.  Calling out Clive Davis like that had been nothing short of AMAZING to watch. 

“My favorite was when you said you were her publicist and then told Clive that any other connection you had was irrelevant to the discussion.” Justin said chuckling.

“Yes, I do love how you just appointed yourself my Publicist. Do I owe you backpay, or can we negotiate terms going forward?” Alexis teased.

“If I had stuck with the you’re my sister angle he NEVER would have listened.  At least this way I was able to acknowledge it, but at the same time keep it professional.” Michelle replied.

Andrew was still trying to process what had just happened.  However, he was also making a mental note to have the legal team for the label look over the contract Alexis had signed with *NSYNC.  There was absolutely no way he was going to allow RCA or Jive or whomever was in control now back out of a contract without a fight, regardless of who was initiating it.

“You do probably need a Publicist.  I should look into that.” Andrew said seriously.

Alexis laughed.  “Were you not listening? I have one already.”

“I wasn’t being serious.” Michelle giggled.

Alexis looked to her sister and as she did her smile grew a mile wide.  “Weren’t you though?  Think about it.  You said yourself this morning you needed something for your Capstone project that was “outside the norm” and “out of the box.” I think this more than fits that description.  Also, an artist needs to be able to trust their Publicist implicitly, am I right?”

Michelle and the members of *NSYNC all nodded.

“There is not a single person on this planet I trust more than you.  Plus, this checks all your boxes.”

Michelle made a face.  “What does that mean?”

“The job is in Entertainment, which is what you’ve always wanted.  It will require travel.  You’ll get to work with print and Digital media. You will get to do Graphic design; which I know you love and it’s definitely “outside the box.” I’d say that’s a win-win, wouldn’t you?”

Michelle cracked a smile then looked at Andrew.  As Danielle’s manager he definitely had a say in this aspect of her career.  “What do you think?”

Andrew laughed.  “Well, I think my opinion is moot at this point.  Besides, I’m pretty sure it’s the artist that has the final say in who their publicist is, and it sounds to me like she already made her decision.”

“You don’t really want me as your Publicist, do you?” Michelle asked skeptically.

Alexis grinned.  “Publicist, Personal Assistant, Cheerleader, Reality check, whatever you want to call it, I can’t think of anyone more perfect than you.”

Michelle still wasn’t convinced. “Well, ok then, but isn’t that called nepotism?”

The men of *NSYNC all laughed.

“’Chelle, do you know how many artists and entertainers give high paying positions to their family members?” JC replied chuckling.

“You’re sure?” Michelle asked looking to her sister.

Alexis grinned and nodded. “Absolutely positive!”

Michelle blushed. “Well, ok then.”

“Now that we have that settled, please, tell me, what is that your drinking?” Joey asked nodding to Alexis.

Alexis laughed.  “It’s called the Fine Ass Fig & Cardamom Gin & tonic.”

Chris snorted. “STOP! No, it’s NOT!”

Alexis laughed more.  “It is…and yours is called the Fineapple something…I don’t remember.”

“Oh GOD! I don’t dare even ask what mine is.” Lance groaned slapping a hand over his face.

Michelle smirked.  “The Cosmonaut…it’s a twist on a Moscow mule I think, Coconut Rum and Coconut milk.”

“That’s not completely awful.” Justin teased.

“Neither is yours…although I do question part of the name.” Michelle snickered.

“What’s it called?” Justin asked raising an eyebrow.

Michelle grinned up at him.  “The Tennessee Honey Hole.”

Justin visibly choked.  “Who was in charge of that?! For real?! That’s what it’s called?!”

Alexis laughed.  “Yes, I am afraid so.”

“It’s actually not bad.” Michelle giggled.

“You tried it?” JC asked chuckling.

Michelle blushed. “I did.”

“Ok, I think we need to try these.” Joey said before flagging down a waitress.

Minutes later Alexis and Michelle were settled in the VIP area with *NSYNC, sipping on drinks and chatting freely as the party continued. 

“You look AMAZING!” JC whispered to Alexis.

Alexis smiled. “You’re looking pretty good yourself there handsome, I LOVE the hair.”

JC chuckled and his warm breath tickled Alexis’s ear.  “Do you? I thought it was time to switch things up but I’m glad you approve.”

Alexis looked over at him and smiled more.  “I’m not gonna lie, the long curls were growing on me, but I’ve always loved the shorter hair.”

JC smiled back.  “I will admit, not having the curls is going to take some getting used to but if you like it then I like it.”

“I love it! You look GOOD!”

“MMM, so do you Pretty Lady.  You’re still leaving with me, right?” JC asked as he leaned in a bit closer.

Alexis blushed and nodded.  “That’s the plan.”

Before either of them could say another word, Johnny Wright appeared.  He looked to Michelle first and chuckled.

“I have to give you credit Miss Moretti, that was impressive.  I don’t think I’ve EVER seen ANYONE call out Clive like that, and I’ve known him a LONG time.”

“Umm…thank you.” Michelle said giggling.

“You’re welcome.  Also, for the record, I happen to agree with you.  I think your sister is PERFECT for the *NSYNC tour.”

This time it was Alexis that giggled a bit.

“Thank you, Sir.” Alexis replied.

“You’re most welcome.”

Then Johnny directed his attention to the members of *NSYNC.

“Gentlemen, it’s time” He said seriously.

All five men stood from their seats and started to smooth out their suits and adjust their ties.  Meanwhile, Alexis and Michelle were exchanging looks.

“You might want to find a spot close to the stage for this.” Justin said winking at Michelle.

“That goes for you too Pretty Lady.” JC said grinning at Alexis.

Again, both girls looked exchanged looks with each other.  They had no idea what was about to happen.

Then, one by one the men of *NSYNC filed out of the VIP booth and followed Johnny Wright to the stage that had been set up on one of the balcony’s overlooking the dance floor.

Alexis shrugged at her sister then stood and started for the dance floor with Michelle and Kenny right behind her.

Alexis and Michelle made it to the front just in time for Justin to start speaking to the room full of guests.

“We just wanted to say “Thank You” to all of you for coming out tonight and for being there for us, supporting us every step of the way for the past 10 years.  We wouldn’t be standing here today without you.”

JC started to speak next.

“AND…since this is such a special occasion, we thought we would get the party started right with a song from the new album, “Private Affair” …it’s called “I Swear.”

As soon as the words left JC’s lips a synthesized beat started and then right away both Justin and JC jumped in with the ad libs. 

Justin had the first verse and as he sang, he focused his attention directly on Michelle.  Michelle felt a shiver race down her spine all the way to her toes as Justin sang.  He was being sexy and suggestive and his blue eyes were on fire, and tracking only her.

I’ll never give you up

I’d cry my eyes blind

I’d bleed my body dry

I’d finish dead last

I’d walk a mile on broken glass

Anything you want, you just ask

Anything you want and I’m down for the task

Give me the chance to prove I’d make it last

Just forget the past

Then JC started, and as soon as he opened his mouth and the words came out Alexis felt her body go numb.

But you keep picking away

How much can one take

Before the wall starts to break

You’d love to see me crumble

You’d love to see me fall

But you can’t break me down

At the chorus they all sang together and from behind the two women Kenny couldn’t help but smirk and shake his head.  Then, he caught Lonnie standing off to one side.  They exchanged looks briefly and by then, both men were chuckling.

And, I swear if I could take it back

Then I would take it back

Baby, I’m so in love with you

I don’t know what to do

I’m so confused

I’ve been to hell and back

I don’t know how to act

But after all is said done

Baby, I’ll never give you up

Next, it was JC’s turn to sing lead for the start of the verse and as he sang, he got right up in front of Alexis, leaned forward, grabbing the railing for support and sang directly to her.  Immediately, Alexis could feel the heat rising in her cheeks and her pulse begin to race.

You wanna see me suffer

Babe, I’ll never give up the fight

Cause there’s something about you baby

I just don’t live without you baby

Cause girl it’s you I want

And there’s no looking back

I want you so bad

By the time the song finished both girls were both beside themselves, and feeling a little warm.  What had just happened was not at all what they had expected and now both girls were fighting to make sense of it.

“I need another drink.” Michelle said breaking from her trance.

Alexis nodded then forced herself to speak.  “Same girl, same!”

 

 

 

Chapter 21 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

Another drink and half later Alexis and Michelle found themselves back at the bar.  Meanwhile, JC and Justin and the rest of *NSYNC were still making the rounds after their performance.  It had been quite the performance and both women were still trying to process what they’d just witnessed.

“What was that?” Alexis asked as she sipped on her third drink of the evening.

Michelle snorted as she signaled the bartender.  “You’re asking me?”

“Yeah! I am asking you.  You were there.  You saw it too.” Alexis smirked.

“IT?! No, I didn’t see IT! I saw Justin…being…well…Justin.”

Alexis grinned. “Yes.  Let’s discuss Justin…”

“Let’s not.” Michelle shot back.

“Tell me again that you’re not dating.  That it’s not like “that.” That he’s NOT into you.  That you’re just hanging out as friends.”

Michelle made a face but said nothing.

“Exactly!” Alexis snickered.

“What about you and Josh?”

Unfortunately, Alexis didn’t get the chance to respond.  The men of *NSYNC were on the stage again.  Only this time, it was Joey that spoke first.

“Hello again!  I know we all here to celebrate the release of the new album that drops at Midnight but we thought it might be fun to take a trip down memory lane, remind everyone and ourselves why we love doing this, and maybe even introduce some of you, who might not be as familiar with us, to what you’ve been missing.”

Michelle immediately busted out laughing.  “That was SO meant for you.”

Alexis just shook her head and smirked.  “I know.”

“You ready for this?” Michelle teased.

“Probably not.” Alexis grumbled.

On the stage the men of *NSYNC had removed their suit jackets and rolled up their shirt sleeves revealing strong forearms and pristine dress shirts pulled tight against pectoral muscles and bulging biceps, particularly those of Justin, JC and surprisingly, Lance too.  Joey and Chris weren’t as defined but still looked GOOD! 

A cute little melody had started to play causing Michelle to nearly drop her glass.

“AWW SHIT!” Michelle squealed under her breath.

“What?!” Alexis asked confused.

The look on her sister’s face spoke volumes.  She looked like a giddy teenager.

“Uh!” JC sang looking across the room at Alexis.

Alexis felt her jaw drop a bit, but then he laughed in time with the song, like it was planned that way and her jaw nearly hit the floor.

Oh

Hey yeah yeah

“FUCK!” Michelle groaned under her breath.

“WHAT?!” Alexis hissed back.

Michelle looked to her sister and laughed.  “You and I…”

“Yeah?” Alexis urged.

“Are SCREWED!” Michelle replied nodding back to the stage.

“What?! Why?!”

“You’ll see!” Michelle giggled.

Meanwhile, just a few feet away Lonnie had approached Kenny.

“Better get ready buddy.” Lonnie chuckled.

“Why? What’s going on?” Kenny asked looking to the stage and then back to Alexis and Michelle.

Lonnie nodded up to the stage.  “They’re doing this on purpose.”

“Yeah, got that, picked up on that real quick, but why?”

Lonnie laughed then nodded to Michelle and Alexis.  “Because those two are about as stubborn as they come.”

Kenny snorted.  “Tell me something I don’t know. I honestly think Moretti is Italian for stubborn.”

Back up on stage, things were getting more and more interesting by the moment.

JC was up first.

Girl, when we started

Baby, we were friends

But that’s now how

This fairy tale is gonna end

See ,I was thinking

Then it clicked one day

That no one else has ever

Made me feel this way

The next time I saw you

Girl, I knew I had to try

To tell you everything

That I was feeling deep inside

And listen good

Cause what I say is from my heart

So if you’re ready

“What. The. Fuck?” Alexis whispered, gripping her sister’s arm.

“Told you.” Michelle snickered.

Alexis watched in total shock as they danced around and sang the chorus.  Their moves were precise and fluid.  It was almost as if they’d never stopped performing.  Five years later and they still had the moves and the stamina they were known for.  It was definitely something to behold, but apparently the song was far from over.

Next it was Justin’s turn to take lead and as he started to sing, he grabbed the railing with both hands, slid underneath it, hopped down from the stage and started walking towards where Michelle and Alexis were standing, their backs now against the bar.

Alexis grabbed her sister by the arm and squeezed.

“Fuck! Fuck! Fuck!” Michelle hissed in her sister’s ear.

Alexis could only giggle and shake her head.  Apparently, Michelle had finally met her match.

Baby, I wonder

If you feel the same as I do

I wonder if you’re going through

The things I’m going through

I sent you flowers on a Saturday

Inside’s a letter

With a message and no name

See, I just love the feeling

Knowing I can make you smile

And I haven’t felt that way

About someone in quite a while

Just listen to these words

I have to say

Just take a chance

Both girls stood frozen until the song finished and the guys left the stage.  As soon as they were out of sight Alexis turned to her sister.  Michelle looked shell shocked, more so than with the previous performance but Alexis understood completely.

“Please, for the LOVE, PLEASE tell me Justin wrote that.” Alexis managed to get out between gulps of air.

Michelle shook her head. “Nope.”

“Don’t say it…” Alexis replied.

Her eyes were asking the question her voice couldn’t.

Michelle simply nodded.

“FUCK!” Alexis moaned.

Behind them Kenny was laughing and shaking his head. 

“Well, that was fun to watch.” Kenny snorted.

“Yeah, for once I’m glad Justin is my responsibility and not JC.  Yon and Dre are gonna have fun with those two on tour.” Lonnie snickered.

Kenny looked at his friend and immediately an evil grin slid across his face.

“What’s that look for?” Lonnie asked nervously.

“You don’t know.” Kenny laughed.

“Know what? Man, if you know something you better spill it now.”

Kenny grinned.  “Michelle is now Alexis’s Publicist, meaning she will probably be coming on the tour, or at least parts of it.”

“SHIT! When did that happen?” Lonnie groaned.

“Hmm…about an hour ago.” Kenny smirked.

Lonnie moaned and placed a palm over his face.  “I’m getting too old for this shit!”

“Hey, at least you only have one to worry about.  I have two.” Kenny reasoned.

“How do you figure that? Isn’t Alexis the only one you’re being paid for.” Lonnie replied.

Kenny shot Lonny a disapproving look. 

“Like you wouldn’t look out for Michelle too if you were in my position.” Kenny growled.

Lonnie nodded.  “True. Yeah, ok, you’re right.”

Thirty minutes later Alexis and Michelle were still standing at the bar.  They’d both been too caught up in their thoughts to move and neither one had finished their drink.  Both were facing the bar now, sipping their drinks slowly but not really talking. 

Behind them JC and Justin were approaching.  Justin looked to JC and winked before sliding up behind Michelle, then leaning in to whisper in her ear.

“Hey Gorgeous…what do you say, are you ready to get out of here?”

Meanwhile, JC was following Justin’s lead.  He stepped up behind Alexis and gently placed his hands at her waist then leaned forward to whisper in her ear.

“Let’s get out of here.”

Alexis bit her lip, then nodded.    Next to her, Michelle had spun around and was now facing Justin.

“You want me to leave with you?” Michelle managed to get out.

Justin bit his lip and grinned.  “Umm…that was the idea.”

“And go where?” Michelle continued.

Justin smiled.  “Uh…my place?”

Alexis was trying to calm her racing heart, and at the same time keep from laughing as she watched her sister react.  Of the three Moretti girls Michelle was probably the most stubborn and although she knew that Michelle did in fact, have feelings towards Justin she also knew that Michelle wasn’t going to admit it without a fight.  She’d been fighting it for over a month.  Then again, so had Alexis, at least on some level.

Alexis looked at her sister and laughed more, then with an evil grin held up four fingers.

Michelle’s eyes widened and her jaw dropped.

“STOP IT! NO!  Don’t do that!” Michelle squeaked.

Alexis laughed more and put one finger down, leaving the other three up in plain view.

“Ok, you’re right…four is asking a lot.  Just stick with three.” Alexis teased.

“STOP!” Michelle shot back.

“Uh…what am I missing?” Justin asked chuckling.

“Nothing! It’s nothing!” Michelle exclaimed.

JC laughed.  “I’ll tell you later man”

Michelle’s eyes narrowed and she glared at her sister in disbelief.

“You told him!” Michelle squealed.

Alexis giggled.  “Well, to be fair, he already sort of knew about it, he just didn’t know what it meant.”

“What does it mean?” Justin asked curiously.

“Don’t you dare!” Michelle squealed, directing her gaze at both Alexis and JC.

Alexis laughed, then patted her sister on the arm. 

“You’re making it way a bigger deal than it is, besides, if I remember correctly, you did the same thing to me not that long ago AND you’re NOT wearing pants so that one is out anyway.” Alexis teased.

“Wait?! What?! I’m confused.” Justin replied.

JC just chuckled and shook his head.  He knew better than to get between two Moretti girls.  He’d learned that lesson the hard way a LONG time ago.

Alexis looked from Michelle then to Justin and grinned. “I’ll let Michelle explain it to you.  It’s something our Mother used to say.”

Then, Alexis turned to her sister again and smiled reassuringly.

“GO! Seriously, all joking aside, I know what you’re worried about, and you shouldn’t.  THIS is NOT the same thing.  Trust me!  Just because we share the same last name does NOT mean we share the same fate.  He deserves a shot…I think he’s more than earned it.”

Michelle opened her mouth to protest but Alexis shook her head and cut her off before she could speak.

“Nope! GO! Get out of here!  Quit being stubborn and just go with it.  Believe me, you won’t be sorry.”

“Are you?” Michelle asked nervously.

“Am I what?” Alexis asked.

“Sorry.” Michelle replied.

Alexis looked up at JC and winked, then looked back at her sister.

“NOPE! Not one bit! The only thing I’m sorry about it is that it took so long.  Don’t make the same mistake I did.”

“Wait?! What mistake?” Michelle exclaimed.

Alexis laughed and then rolled her eyes.  “OH MY GOD! Michelle! STOP! You’re stalling! Quit it! Go! Seriously, if you don’t leave with Mr. Tennessee Honey Hole right NOW, I’m going to kick your ass myself!

Alexis then looked at Justin and grinned.

“Take her by the hand and go…right now…for real, just do it, because if you don’t leave now you will NEVER get her out of here.”

Justin smiled and nodded then took Michelle by the hand and started to lead her towards the exit with Lonnie just a few steps behind them.

Once they were gone Alexis turned her attention to JC.

“Are you ready?” Alexis asked with a smirk.

“I’m waiting on you.” JC replied grinning.

It wasn’t until they were in the chauffeured car headed towards JC’s house that either of them spoke again.

“Do you want to tell me what all that was about?” JC asked looking to Alexis.

She looked absolutely INCREDIBLE and he was fighting the urge to kiss her senseless right then and there, but they did need to talk first so he held back.

“What was what about?” Alexis replied.

“Back there, you and Michelle.”

Alexis just smiled and shook her head.  “That was Michelle being stubborn.”

JC grinned devilishly.  “Imagine that, a Moretti being stubborn, because that’s NEVER happened before.”

Alexis laughed a bit, then sighed.  “Yeah, I know.  Stubborn seems to be family trait, but of the three of us, Michelle just might be the worst.”

JC cracked a bit of a smile.  “Is she though?”

“What are you implying Mr. Chasez?” Alexis replied, making a face.

JC smiled then scooted closer, turning to face her, looking directly into her very wide, green eyes.  He pushed a few strands of hair from her face then allowed his hand to linger on her cheek.

“You’re holding back.  You have been since the day I walked into the studio.  Why?”

Alexis gave him a pointed look.

JC sighed and nodded.  “I’m not going anywhere.”

“You say that…but…”

JC shook his head and put a finger to her lips.  “Uh uh! Shh!  Not this time Lexi.  I hurt you.  I know that.  I know you’re afraid to trust me again, and I don’t blame you, but this time is different.  I’m not giving up. I’m not walking away.  I’m here for as long as you want me to be.”

Alexis cracked the tiniest of smiles.  “So, I’m stuck with you?”

JC grinned.  “Pretty much.”

Alexis giggled.  “I guess that’s not the worst thing ever.”

***

In a different chauffeured car in a different part of town things weren’t going quite as well. 

“So, umm…do you want to tell me what that was back there?” Justin asked cautiously.

“What was what?” Michelle asked awkwardly.

Michelle had been alone with Justin plenty of times since meeting him over a month ago.  They’d spent a lot of time together and gotten to know each other but this time felt different.  This time it felt deeper, more intimate and Michelle was still trying to decide if she was ready. 

“I don’t know, whatever it was your sister was doing that got you so worked up.” Justin answered calmly.

Truthfully, his mind was racing.  He’d been trying to move out of the “just friends” zone for a while now but Michelle was being incredibly guarded.  On some level, he understood.  Being a spectator and then referee between Alexis and April for the past eight years had really done a number on her psyche.  He didn’t blame her in the least but it didn’t change the way he felt about her.

“It’s just something our Mom used to do when we would leave the house.” Michelle replied blushing.

Justin cracked a smile.  “Yeah. I heard.  What does it mean?”

Michelle blushed more.  She had to give Justin credit.  He was being incredibly calm and patient with her.

“Are you sure you want to know? Once you do, you can’t forget it, trust me on this.”

Justin chuckled a bit and nodded.  “I’ll consider myself warned.”

Michelle nodded.  “Our Mom, for as long as I can remember, would tell us the same thing every time we left the house.  No matter where we were going, who we were with or what we were doing she would always tell us to remember the “four things.” In fact, by the time my sisters were old enough to date she’d said it so many times that she didn’t even need to say it anymore.  She would just hold up four fingers and we would cringe instantly.”

“So, what are they?”

Justin was beyond curious now.

“Have fun, be careful, drive safe and keep your pants zipped.” Michelle replied as she struggled to keep a straight face.

Justin laughed.  “That sounds like something a mom with three girls would say.”

Michelle giggled.  “Every time. Now, the three of us just do it to make each other crazy.”

“Makes sense.”

There was an awkward pause that followed.  Justin was trying to decide what to say next.  He had an idea of what he wanted to say he just wasn’t sure Michelle was ready to hear it.  He was going to have to proceed carefully.

“Michelle…” Justin started.

Michelle’s eyes jolted upward.  Her green eyes were wide and she was biting her lip.  For probably the first time in her entire life Michelle was nervous.

Instinctively, Justin hit the button so that the partition between the backseat and the driver slid into place.  He didn’t want an audience for this, regardless of how it went.

Once the barrier was in place Justin casually slid closer, turned his torso slightly so he was facing her then gently lifted her chin with his hand.

“I like you Michelle.”

“I like you too Justin.” Michelle said as she continued to bite her lip.

Justin chuckled slightly.  “That’s good. I’m glad, but umm…I don’t think you understand.  I REALLY like you, like a LOT!  I can’t stop thinking about you.  When I wake up in the morning, you’re the first thing I think about and when my head hits the pillow at night, you’re the last thing on my mind before I fall asleep.”

He was being completely adorable and it was going to be her undoing, Michelle was certain of it.

“I get it! JC is like a big brother to you, and he’s my best friend so it’s weird.  I also get that you’re worried that what happened between JC and your sisters is going to happen between us. It’s not! I won’t let it!  I could never walk away like that.”

Michelle didn’t quite know how to respond so she stayed silent.  Justin took it as his cue to continue.

“I’ve never met any girl quite like you.  The way you held your ground and stood up to CLIVE DAVIS like that was BADASS!  I need a girl like you in my life. I need someone who keeps me on my toes and makes me think.”

Michelle blushed and shook her head slightly.  “I’m a lot to handle.”

“Who said I wanted to handle you?”

Michelle made a face.

Justin chuckled and shook his head a bit.  “Ok, wait, bad choice of words.  Let me try that again.  What I meant was, I don’t want you to change.  I like you the way you are.”

“Are you sure? I’m a bit of a HOT MESS! I am stubborn and opinionated as hell.  I’m a bit of neat freak …”

Justin smiled, shook his head then put a finger to her lips.  You’re perfect!”

In the next moment his lips were closing over hers.  Michelle’s eyes fluttered closed and she felt her body relax into him.  As far as first kisses with guys went this ranked pretty high on her list.  In fact, this was probably the best first kiss Michelle had ever experienced.  His lips were soft and gentle, but he knew how to apply just the right amount of pressure and when. 

When he pulled away her eyes fluttered open again.  He was smiling at her.

“Do you know how long I’ve wanted to do that?” Justin asked grinning.

Michelle blushed a bit and shook her head.  “How long?”

“Probably ever since you said you had “questions” about “SexyBack.” Justin chuckled.

“I said that the first day I met you.” Michelle said, as she tried not to giggle.

“Exactly!”

***

The next morning, at about 10:30 a.m. two chauffeured cars pulled into the driveway of Alexis and Michelle’s condo.

Both girls stepped out of the car dressed in the clothes they’d been wearing the night before.  Alexis looked at her younger sister as she made her way to the door and couldn’t help but laugh.

“Look at my baby sister doing the walk of shame.” Alexis teased.

“Shut your face! You were the one who encouraged it.” Michelle shot back laughing.

“SO?” Alexis asked as she unlocked the front door.

“SO, what?”

Alexis laughed as she turned the key and stepped into the house. 

“You know what? How was it? How was he?”

Michelle blushed which made Alexis laugh more.

“That good, huh?”

“STOP!” Michelle giggled.

Alexis shook her head and smirked.  “Why? It’s cute! My little sister is totally Twitterpated.”

Michelle snorted and swatted at her sister.  “Twitterpated?!  This isn’t a Disney movie Alexis.”

Alexis got a bit more serious.  “No, you’re right.  It’s not, but that smile on your face speaks volumes, and frankly, it’s about damn time if you ask me.”

Michelle nodded and giggled a bit.  “Yeah, yeah.  I know. I’m stubborn.  I don’t know why I was holding back for so long, self-preservation I guess, but I’m not holding back anymore.  That’s for sure.”

Alexis looked at her sister again and couldn’t help but smile and shake her head.  Michelle was STILL blushing.  In fact, she was practically giddy.  It was then that it dawned on Alexis that this was bigger than she realized.

“MICHELLE RENEE MORETTI did you and Justin….”

Michelle bit her lip and made her way to the kitchen, pretending as if she hadn’t heard.

“Michelle?!” Alexis demanded laughing.

Michelle pretended to be innocent, which they both knew, she wasn’t.

“Did we what? Kiss? Yes, we kissed.”

Alexis shook her head.  “Oh, I have no doubt there was kissing involved but I have the feeling there was more.”

“He’s a REALLY GOOD kisser.” Michelle sighed dreamily.

Alexis looked at her sister and her eyes went wide.

“Wait?! Wait?! Wait?! You hadn’t kissed him before?”

Michelle blushed awkwardly.  She didn’t need to answer, her face said it all.

“MICHELLE!  I don’t know whether to congratulate you or reprimand you! WHAT THE HELL?! You met him in what, July, just after the holiday and this is mid-August, that’s a month and a half.  Who are you, and what have you done with Michelle Moretti, because the Michelle Moretti I know would NOT wait a month and a half to kiss a guy!”

“He’s Justin Timberlake!”

Alexis made a face.  “SO! That matters because why?  And, since when have you EVER cared about that kind of thing? You’re a freakin’ BAD ASS!  You went toe to toe with CLIVE DAVIS for God’s sake! Who does that? My BAD ASS little sister does that! Justin Timberlake is LUCKY to have found a girl like you!”

Michelle blushed.  “Yeah, that’s what he said.”

Alexis grinned. “SEE! He knows what’s up!”

Michelle laughed a bit and nodded.  “Ok, ok. You made your point.”

“Good! He hurts you though and I’ll beat his ass, I don’t care how future sex his love sounds are.”

Michelle snorted.  “Ok stop, please stop, don’t ever say that again! Please!”

Alexis giggled.  “I’m sorry. I couldn’t help myself. It was too perfect.”

“What about you? How was your night with Josh?”

Alexis smiled.  “Good.”

Michelle laughed.  “Good?! That’s all I get? He sang TWO songs to you and all you can say is, you had a “good” night.  Now who is holding back?”

Alexis blushed.  “You sound like him.”

“Well, we’re not wrong.”

It was then, as they were standing there at the kitchen counter, making coffee and chatting that Michelle’s phone started to ring.

Michelle retrieved her phone from her purse and her eyes widened as she looked at the screen.  Immediately, Alexis knew something was up.

“What’s wrong?” Alexis asked.

“It’s Andrew.”

“So, answer it!” Alexis exclaimed.

They both knew that if Andrew was calling Michelle that something was up.  Michelle hit “accept call” then hit the button for speaker phone and placed it on the counter.

“Good morning.” Andrew’s voice rang out.

“Good morning.” Both girls replied.

“Oh good, I was hoping you would both be there.  I tried to call Alexis but I think your phone must be off, or on silent.”

Michelle gave her sister a look.  It wasn’t at all uncommon for Alexis to forget to turn her ringer on, especially after a late night.

“What’s up?” Alexis asked nodding.

“Well, we have a bit of a situation.” Andrew exclaimed calmly.

He knew that what he was about to say wasn’t going to go over well, with either girl.

“What’s the situation?” Michelle asked flipping into Publicist mode.

“Well, Mr. Davis must have gone to the board last night, or early this morning because I just got a call from Mr. Wright.  He was not happy.  He sounded pretty upset to be honest, not that I blame him.  I am less than thrilled myself.”

“Ok, what happened?” Alexis insisted.

“The Executive Board over at Jive/RCA still isn’t convinced that you’re a good “fit” for the tour.  They want you to “sing for your supper” so to speak.  Prove that you belong on the tour.”

“HORSE SHIT! Does *NSYNC know about this?” Michelle exclaimed.

Andrew nodded on the other end of the line.  “I believe Mr. Wright was calling them this morning.”

“Josh is going to have a FIT!” Alexis groaned.

“When?” Michelle asked.

“When what?”

“When does the Board want her to come in and sing?”

Andrew looked down at his notes.  He was tired already.  He’d had a late night and had been running in circles all morning trying to figure this out.

“They wanted it to be Friday, until Mr. Wright pointed out that the video shoot was Friday, so now it’s Thursday.  Thursday at 9:00 a.m.”

This was Tuesday, meaning they had less than 48 hours to come up with something that would WOW the Board enough to allow her on the tour. 

Alexis looked to her sister and couldn’t help but smile.  She was reminded of something that Michelle had said to Clive the night before and immediately she started coming up with a plan, something that if she could pull it off would knock the smirks off faces and eliminate any doubt Clive or the Board might have about her.

Alexis wasn’t worried.  In fact, she was fired up now. 

“No worries Andrew.  I got this!  I have a plan!” Alexis smirked.

“Plan?! What plan?!” Andrew asked confused.

He could tell by her tone that she was up to something, but when it came to her music, and her voice, he trusted her completely.

“Just trust me, ok?  I’ve always trusted you with my career, now you have to trust I know what I am doing.  This is going to work. I know it.”

Andrew nodded and grinned.  He could hear the fire in her voice and frankly, it excited him because he knew that whatever she was planning, Clive and the Board wouldn’t see it coming.

“I trust you, but what do I tell Mr. Wright?”

Alexis grinned and winked at her sister.  Michelle bit her lip and nodded.  She knew that whatever Alexis was planning she wanted to help, in any way she could.

“Tell him to tell Mr. Davis, I’ll be there, 9:00 a.m. on Thursday.  I’ll be ready, but I want a piano.”

“A piano?” Andrew asked confused.

“Yes, a piano.  Nothing else, no mic, no band, no back track on a stereo, just a piano.” Alexis said seriously.

“Got it. See you at 9 on Thursday then.”

“See you then.” Alexis said smiling.

As soon as Andrew ended the call Alexis grinned over at her sister.  The look in her eyes was almost evil, meaning that whatever Alexis was planning it was going to be good.

“How well do you know the *NSYNC catalog?” Alexis asked with a smirk.

Michelle bit her lip and grinned. Yes, Alexis was indeed planning something EPIC!

“Inside, outside, backwards and forwards.” Michelle replied grinning.

“I thought so! Go get EVERY *NSYNC cd you own AND every concert or taped performance you have in your stash.”

Michelle’s eyes went wide.  “What ARE you planning?”

“Revenge!” Alexis snickered.

Chapter 22 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

An hour later Alexis and Michelle were settled in the living room with takeout Breakfast burritos from El Sombrero and LARGE cups of coffee.  The coffee table was covered.  There wasn’t an inch of free space.  On one corner, Michelle’s laptop and on another the stack of *NSYNC CDs; including singles, imports and full albums.  Behind that, the stack of DVDs and VHS tapes of concerts and all the TV performances Michelle had ever recorded; everything from TRL to Rosie and even some of the International appearances.  In front of Alexis, a note book, a pen and her cell phone. 

“Ok, what are we doing?  You said “revenge” but on whom?” Michelle asked confused.

Alexis looked to her sister and grinned.  “Clive Davis and any Jive/RCA Board Executive who thinks I can’t cut it on the *NSYNC tour.”

Michelle laughed and nodded.  “Ok, I am in, what are we doing?”

Alexis grinned more if it were possible.  “Well, actually, something you said last night gave me the idea.”

Michelle looked confused.  “What did I say?”

Alexis turned to her sister and smiled.  “Last night, when you called out Clive you said that he hadn’t been in the *NSYNC circle all that much, that he’d been in and out of the picture a lot what with all the label mergers and acquisitions so I am wondering, just how well do you think he and the other Board members know the *NSYNC catalog?”

Michelle looked thoughtful for a moment.  “Hmm, I couldn’t say.  Why? What are you thinking?”

Alexis grinned.  “I’m thinking we take an *NSYNC song, one that isn’t as well known, but still recognizable, one with an upbeat tempo, then we change the lyrics a bit, you know, so a girl can sing it, slow it down, maybe even redo the arrangement a little and shove it back in their faces.”

Michelle looked at her sister in disbelief for a moment then busted up laughing. 

“That is a FUCKING FANTASTIC idea!  I LOVE it!”

Alexis blushed.  “Thanks.  Now I just need to find the right song.”

Michelle giggled.  She was already narrowing in on a song.

“You need to do a song from the debut album.” Michelle said grinning.

“Ok, why that specific album?” Alexis asked curiously.

Michelle smiled devilishly.  “No Strings Attached and Celebrity are too easy.  Too predictable.  If you go with a song from the debut album it will show you’ve done your homework.”

Alexis nodded.  “Got it!  Ok, *NSYNClopedia, what you got for me?”

Michelle laughed.  “*NSYNClopedia?!  Cute! I’ll take it!”

Alexis giggled a bit too.  “Seriously though, what songs do we have on the debut album that we can work with?”

Immediately, Michelle grabbed the cd case from the stack and flipped it over to look at the track listings.  To be fair, she had the cd memorized but having the track listings in front of her was still helpful, especially since Alexis didn’t know the album like she did.

“Hmm…well…”I Want You Back” and “Tearin’ Up My Heart” are out.  Those are both singles.  Too easy.  All of the ballads are out too…”God Must Haver Spent”, “I Drive Myself Crazy”, “For the Girl Who Has Everything”, “Sailing”, “Everything I Own.”

“Ok, so what’s left?”

Michelle looked at the back of the Cd again.  “I Just Wanna Be With You”, “Here We Go”, “You Got It”, “I Need Love”, “Crazy For You” and “Giddy Up”

Alexis snorted.  “Yeah, “Giddy Up” is out too! I don’t care how good it might be, I’m not singing anything called THAT!”

Michelle laughed and nodded.  “Agreed.  “Giddy Up” isn’t right for this, but that still leaves five.”

For a long time, Michelle sat, staring down at the CD case as she went over each track in her brain.  She knew enough about music to understand what Alexis was trying to do, but choosing the perfect song wasn’t an easy task. 

“I think “Here We Go” is out too.  I like it, it’s not a bad song. I just don’t think it’s right for what you’re trying to do.”

Alexis nodded.  She trusted her sister implicitly, especially with regards to *NSYNC.

It got quiet again, Michelle was deep in thought and until they picked a song there wasn’t much for Alexis to do.  At the moment she was picking at her burrito.  She was hungry but at the same time she was too anxious and excited to eat much.  Sighing a bit to herself, Alexis took her coffee cup and raised it to her lips just in time for her phone to ring.

It was JC.

Alexis gave her sister a look and hit “accept call”, then placed the call on speaker and put the phone down on the coffee table so they could both listen.

“Hello.”

It was a deep voice, and definitely not JC’s.

“Lance?” Michelle asked, raising an eyebrow at her sister.

“Yeah, hi.” Lance replied awkwardly.

“Hi. What are you doing with Josh’s phone? Is everything ok?” Alexis asked worriedly.

“Umm…well…no, not really.  We were supposed to be doing Seacrest this morning, you know, to promote the album, but then Johnny came to tell us about the thing with you and the label.  How they want you to prove you deserve to be on the tour and well, he sorta FLIPPED OUT!  Justin, Joey and Johnny are trying to calm him down but it’s not going so well.  He’s PISSED, we all are, he’s just being a bit more EXPRESSIVE and LOUD about it.”

“Where is he?” Alexis asked.

“In a conference room with Johnny, Justin and Joey.  Chris is on the phone with Melinda.”

“Let me talk to him.” Alexis said sighing.

The fact that JC was so worked up about this was endearing and heartbreaking at the same time. 

Lance nodded then stood from his seat and started down the hallway towards the conference room at Seacrest studios.  On his way by Chris, who was just finishing his own phone call with Melinda, Lance motioned for him to follow.

“Who is that?” Chris mouthed to Lance.

“Alexis and Michelle.” Lance replied.

Chris nodded knowingly.

Inside the conference room it was not going well.  JC was pacing back and forth, grumbling to himself and rubbing his neck.  The veins on his neck were plainly visible as was the one at his temple.  His breathing was heavy and his hands were clenched into fists.  He was angry, really ANGRY.  In fact, he hadn’t been this angry in a really long time. 

JC could feel his blood boiling inside of him and the more he thought about what the label was trying to do the angrier he became.  This was reminiscent of the old days, when the label had tried to control them, when Lou had tried to control them and he didn’t like it.  None of them did.  However, the fact that Alexis was involved just made it feel ten times worse than it had before.

“They can’t do this! She signed a contract with us!  Her label has grounds for a lawsuit if they do this!” JC growled.

Johnny nodded.  He understood JC’s anger and frustration.  He felt it too.  In the years since he had signed *NSYNC they’d become more like family than clients and he’d seen Alexis’s talent.  There wasn’t a doubt in his mind that she didn’t deserve to be on this tour.  She most certainly did and the fact that the label wasn’t holding up their end of the deal made his skin crawl. 

“My guess is they’ve considered that, but decided that since her label is so small, they could get away with offering a settlement to get out of the deal completely.” Johnny replied.

“They don’t know Alexis! She won’t settle!  I know she won’t!” JC shot back.

Johnny just nodded and sighed.  He didn’t know what else to say.

Lance and Chris entered a moment later.  Chris shut the door to the conference room behind them then nodded to Lance.

“Ok, go ahead.” Lance said into JC’s phone.

“Josh! Can you hear me? It’s Lexi.”

JC stopped pacing and turned to where Lance was holding the phone out so they all could hear.  Just the sound of her voice made him unravel.  Her voice was clear, confident and calm and just hearing her say his name made him choke up a bit.  He hated that this was happening to her, and what made it worse was that he felt powerless to stop it.

“He hears you.  We all do.” Justin called out.

“Josh, I need you to listen to me, ok?”

JC nodded then slumped into a chair and tried to force the lump in his throat back so he could speak.

When he didn’t respond verbally Alexis took it as her cue to continue.  She knew all too well how Josh got when he was upset or angry.

“I know you! I know how upsetting this is for you! I know how angry you must be right now and I get it! I totally get it!  This isn’t right, it’s not, but you’re forgetting the most important thing…” Alexis said grinning at her accomplice.

“What’s that?” JC managed to get out, his jaw still clenched.

“You know me! Clive and the Board DO NOT!”

A smile tugged at JC’s lips.  She was right, Clive and the Board didn’t know Alexis the way he did, and if there was one thing he knew better than any of them, it was that Moretti’s didn’t go down without a fight.

“She’s right Josh…what’s that saying…”hell hath no fury like a woman scorned” well…you don’t “scorn” two Moretti’s and come out of it unscathed, you just don’t …you of all people should know that.” Michelle chimed in.

“Should I be concerned?” Johnny asked as he tried not to smile.

“No, Sir.” Both girls said grinning.

“I’ve got this!  Michelle and I, we have a plan, but you’re going to have to trust me Josh.”

“What’s your plan?” Justin asked grinning.

“I can’t say just yet, Michelle and I are still working it out, but trust me when I say this is going to work!”

“What if…” JC started to protest.

“Uh-uh! Nope! I love you Josh…but I’m not letting you go there. I’ve got this! Trust me!”

A smile started to spread across JC’s face, and next to Alexis, Michelle was grinning like a fool. 

“Lexi?! Did you just say “I love you?” JC asked as he grinned and bit his lip.

Around the room, the rest of the men present were all smiles too.

Alexis giggled a bit and blushed.  “I guess I did, but we can discuss that later, privately, for now, you have a radio interview to get to and I have work to do.”

“Can I call you later? Like tonight?” JC said, still grinning.

“You better!” Alexis replied.

Once the call ended Alexis and Michelle dived right back into the task at hand.

“You’re sure this is going to work?” Michelle asked, examining the CD track list for a third time.

Alexis grinned and nodded.  “Absolutely!”

Truthfully, she was confident but there was a tiny sliver of doubt.  If it didn’t work, if she wasn’t allowed to tour then Alexis didn’t know what she was going to do.  She would cross that bridge IF and when she came to it.

“Let me see the list.” Alexis said, looking to her sister.

Michelle nodded and turned her lap top so that Alexis could see the list of tracks that remained.

Alexis sighed as she read the list on the screen.  This was far from easy, and she had no idea where to start.

“I don’t know any of these.  Maybe we should listen to them, so I can get an idea of how they sound normally.” Alexis suggested.

Michelle nodded in agreement then opened the CD case and popped the CD into the CD drive on her laptop.

One by one they listened to the tracks, sitting in silence as Alexis analyzed each song.  None were really resonating with her.  For whatever reason, Alexis just couldn’t find what she was envisioning in her head.  However, that all changed when they neared the end of the CD.  It was one of the last tracks on the list and as soon as the first verse started Alexis’s eyes went wide and the smile on her face turned into a full grin.

“This one!” Alexis exclaimed.

“Really?!” Michelle asked in surprise.

Alexis nodded, the smile still present on her lips.  “YES! This one!  Are there any performances of this one anywhere?”

Michelle grinned.  “Several actually, the Disney Special, the Pay Per View special and the *N The Mix video all have performances of this song.”

Alexis laughed.  “Well, then, fire em’ up! I have studying to do.”

***

On Thursday morning at 8:30 a.m. Alexis, Michelle Kenny and Andrew marched into the Jive/RCA studios ready for battle. 

Alexis was only slightly nervous but she tried to not look the part. 

“You ready for this?” Andrew asked as they entered the building.

Alexis grinned.  “Absolutely!”

 

“Well, I’ve gotta give you points for confidence.  I’m a mess!” Andrew confessed chuckling awkwardly.

Michelle giggled and patted the older man on the shoulder.  “She’s got this, trust me!”

Like before, Andrew checked in with the Receptionist then they were left to wait.  About 15 minutes later Johnny Wright came out to greet them.

“You’re early…I like it…could you maybe rub some of that off on JC?” Johnny teased.

It was his way of trying to ease the tension.  He knew they were all a bit anxious, as was he, and the guys of *NSYNC.  In fact, the guys of *NSYNC were a mess because it was completely out of their control at this point.  They’d made their argument, and for the most part, it seemed as if the Clive and the Board were listening but they knew that ultimately it would be up to Alexis to convince them.  Although, the guys of *NSYNC were already planning to put up one HELL of a FIGHT if the Board didn’t vote their way.

Alexis smiled and nodded.  “I’ll see what I can do.”

Johnny nodded then flashed his best reassuring smile.  “A piano has been secured per your request and the guys will all be present.  To be honest, they were pretty insistent on it.  Clive tried to pull the “official Board meeting” card but Justin and JC weren’t having it.”

“Did they pitch a fit?” Michelle asked laughing

Johnny chuckled.  “More or less.”

Alexis giggled slightly.  It was nice to hear that all the guys of *NSYNC were on her side.

“Can I get any of you anything? Water? Tea? Coffee?” Johnny asked politely.

He was trying to put them at ease, more importantly, he was trying to put himself at ease.  This had already been a stressful day and it was far from over.

“Water, please.” Alexis replied.

The others all politely declined his offer. 

Moments later Johnny returned to lobby with a bottle of water and a smile. 

“Thank you.” Alexis replied taking the bottle from his outstretched hand.

Immediately, she opened the bottle and took a few quick sips.  Truthfully, she was nervous but was doing best to hide it.  She knew there was a lot at stake and a lot of people rooting for her.  She didn’t want to let them down. 

“Are you ready?” Johnny asked.

Alexis took a deep, quiet, steadying breath and nodded.

“Yes, Sir.”

“They are ready for you.” Johnny replied.

Silently, the small group of people followed Johnny down the hall to one of the Conference rooms.  A long, rectangular table stood at the back of the room, against one wall.  Behind the table sat Clive Davis and the other Board members.  Alexis noted that only one was female, the rest were male and significantly older.  Next to them, sitting quietly, with smiles on their faces were the members of *NSYNC. 

Alexis caught Justin’s eye first.  He gave her a wink.  Next, she looked to JC.  He just smiled at her and bit his lip.  Truthfully, he was checking her out.  She looked GORGEOUS, at least by his standards.  She was dressed in black, skinny dress slacks, a pair of black ankle boots and a dark green, sleeveless, button down, silk shirt with the top two buttons undone, exposing just the perfect amount of skin. 

Next, she looked to the other three.  They were smiling back at her and when she met Lance’s gaze he mouthed, “Good luck.”

Alexis didn’t say anything but smiled a bit more, letting him know she understood.

Along one wall were more chairs, for Kenny, Andrew and Michelle.  She was glad to have them with her.  It made her feel less intimidated by the situation.  On the opposite wall, the piano she had requested. 

“Thank you for coming.” Clive said calmly.

“Didn’t really have much of a choice now, did I?” Alexis replied.

Clive chuckled nervously.  “No, I guess not.  Whenever you are ready Miss Moretti.”

Alexis nodded then took a seat at the piano.  Once she was seated Alexis took a deep breath then closed her eyes briefly.  This was it.  Her one shot at proving these HATERS wrong and she was determined to make sure they never doubted her skills again.  Even if she didn’t make it on the tour, even if they shot her down, she was determined to make them sit up and take notice. 

Taking another deep breath Alexis placed her hands on the keys and started to play.  The melody was slow, and pretty but somewhat familiar.  JC and Justin quickly exchanged looks of confusion with the other members of the group.  They knew the song, that much was obvious but at the moment none of them could place where they’d heard it before.  At least not until Alexis started to sing.  As soon as Alexis sang the first line of the first verse six jaws dropped to the floor.  Johnny Wright and the members of *NSYNC sat there completely GODSMACKED by what was happening in front of them.

Alexis had completely rearranged the song.  The tempo was much slower, much more seductive and a bit haunting as well.  She sounded AMAZING!  Like nothing, anyone in the room had heard before.  It was inspiring to watch.

Wherever I go, Whatever I do

Whenever my heart is crying out for you

Wherever I go, whatever I do

I’m Crazy for you

Then, Alexis started to sing the solo parts and it was all JC could do to not react.  The way she was singing, her eyes fixed on him was making him squirm in his chair.

It’s not easy to be alone

It’s not easy to fall in love

Every night I just get down and pray

That you come my way

I’ve never known what love could do

Wish you’d come baby and set me free

I can’t let it be, yeah

By the time she finished the song Michelle, Kenny and Andrew could barely contain their grins.  Meanwhile, Justin, Joey, Lance and Chris were trying to keep their excitement in check and JC, well, he was trying to calm his now racing heart.  If there was any doubt in his mind that he had feelings for Alexis they were gone now.  That much was certain. 

“Could you give us a few minutes?” Clive asked politely once she finished.

Alexis nodded and stood from the piano.  She followed Kenny, Andrew and Michelle from the room and down the hall towards the lobby to wait without so much as a word.

Johnny was trying to hide his smile, but was failing miserably.  The best he could do was to bite his bottom lip and shake his head.

“You do realize what she just did there, don’t you Clive?” Justin asked with a smirk.

Clive shook his head.

“No.  I must admit that I don’t.”

JC grinned.  It was a sly, almost evil grin but he just couldn’t help himself after that performance.

“That was an *NSYNC song!  From the debut album.”  JC replied.

“It was? I didn’t recognize it.” Clive said, his confusion evident.

“It was.  It’s from the debut album.  Miss Moretti completely re-did the arrangement and slowed the tempo down.  It’s normally an up-tempo song.” Lance added.

Clive Davis couldn’t help but laugh at this.  “Did she now?”

“Yes, Sir, she most certainly did.” Chris said grinning.

Clive Davis chuckled a bit more and nodded.  The fact that she’d redone an *NSYNC song showed her drive and determination.  It also showed that she wasn’t just another pretty voice.  She had true, raw talent and she knew how to use it to her advantage.

Clive looked to the other members of the Board and they all nodded.  IN fact, the female member of the Board was smiling so big she could hardly contain herself.

It was then that Clive turned to the members of *NSYNC. 

“You’re sure this is what you want?” He asked.

All five men grinned and nodded. 

“Absolutely!” JC said happily.

“Without a doubt!” Justin agreed.

Clive nodded again and then looked to Johnny.

“Will you please go get Miss Moretti?”

Johnny smiled then stood from his chair and left the room.

In truth, it had only been a few minutes since Alexis and her team had left the conference room but it felt like an eternity.  The waiting and the not knowing were driving her insane. 

“You can come back now.” Johnny said smiling as he approached.

“That was quick.” Michelle replied nervously.

Johnny chuckled.  “Not quick enough if you ask me.  This shouldn’t even be happening, but what do I know, I’ve only been with the group since the beginning.”

Silently, the group followed Johnny back to the conference room where Clive, *NSYNC and the Board were waiting.  Michelle, Kenny and Andrew took their seats again meanwhile, Alexis stood in the center of the room, her eyes locked on Clive. 

Clive looked at Alexis and shifted a bit in his seat.  Her green eyes were on fire.  He knew what she was thinking.  She was expecting the worst. 

Clive smiled a bit and shook his head as the words her sister had said the night of the party played over in his brain.

“That was an *NSYNC song you just did, wasn’t it?”

Alexis held her ground.  “Yes, Sir.”

“Did you do the arrangement yourself?”

“Yes, Sir.” Alexis replied as she tried to fight her smile.

“So, none of these men sitting next to me helped you?”

“No, Sir, the only help I had was from my Publicist/Personal Assistant.” Alexis replied.

Clive looked to Michelle and then back to Alexis.  “Your Publicist helped you? I’m confused.”

Alexis was doing absolutely everything in her power to control her smile by this point. 

“Yes, Sir, the only person or persons I have ever met in my life that know as much about *NSYNC as she does are probably the members of *NSYNC.”

Clive chuckled a bit at this revelation while the members of *NSYNC were all grins.

“I see.”

There was a brief pause that followed but it was very brief.

“45 minutes, is that what you were told?” Clive continued.

Alexis was momentarily confused.  “I’m sorry Sir, 45 minutes for what?”

“Your set, 45 minutes is what the contract says, is that correct?” Clive replied.

Alexis nodded calmly.  She was starting to get nervous but didn’t want to show it.

“That seems a bit short, don’t you think?  I mean, if you are going to be the ONLY opening act, I would think that the group would have given you a bigger time slot, don’t you?”

“Sir?”

Now Alexis was incredibly confused.  It sounded like Clive Davis was going to honor the contract but she didn’t want to get her hopes up prematurely.

Clive looked to the other members of the Board again and they all nodded.  Then, the female Board member began to speak.

“I think what Mr. Davis is trying to say is that we were all VERY impressed with your performance and are willing to admit that we made a SERIOUS error in questioning your abilities.  Your INCREDIBLE talent is apparent and it would be a GRIEVOUS mis-step on our part to void your contract at this time.”

“Yes, that is exactly what I am trying to say.  9 times out of 10 I am right, but every now and then I do get it wrong.  I got this one wrong.  We all did, and by “We” I mean myself and the other members of the Board.  Obviously, the members of *NSYNC saw something in you that the rest of us were incapable of seeing until just now. I apologize for that Miss Moretti.” Clive replied.

“What does that mean Mr. Davis?” Andrew asked anxiously.

Clive smiled.  “What it means is JIVE/RCA would LOVE to have you on the *NSYNC “Private Affair” tour but on two conditions.”

Alexis tried not to make a face as she replied.  She had a feeling there was going to be a catch.

“What are the conditions?” Alexis asked, still standing her ground.

Clive smiled a bit more.  “I can sense your apprehension Miss Moretti and although it is warranted, I can assure you, it is not necessary.  The conditions are this; 1, you allow us to revise the contract to give you an hour time slot instead of the previously agreed 45 minutes and 2, you add THAT song to your set list.”

Upon hearing Clive’s response Alexis FINALLY allowed her smile to break free.

“Done, but only if it is ok with the members of *NSYNC, I mean, it is their song.” Alexis replied.

Justin looked back at her with an equally wide smile and nodded while his group mates did the same.

“We will allow it, but only if you let us sing it with you.  THAT arrangement is AMAZING!” Justin said grinning.

“I think I can handle that.” Alexis giggled slightly.

“Do you have any questions Miss Moretti?” Clive asked.

Alexis shook her head then looked to her team.  “No Sir, what about you guys, any questions?”

Andrew grinned.  “Just one.  When can we expect to see the new contract?”

Clive nodded.  “I will have the lawyers draft an amendment to the old contract as soon as we leave here.  Since we are just amending it and not drafting a new contract it shouldn’t take but a few hours so I should have it over to you by the end of the business day.”

“Perfect! I’ll have our lawyers look it over and hopefully have it back to you by tomorrow or the day after at the latest.” Andrew answered.

Clive nodded his affirmation then turned to Alexis and Michelle.  “Great work ladies, but now comes the real work, preparing for a nationwide tour.  Since I am guessing that most of the creative components will come from the two of you, I would advise that you start working on ideas for the set, your set list, a Rider for the tour and wardrobe.”

“I can have the wardrobe designer for *NSYNC reach out if needed.” Johnny volunteered.

Alexis looked at Michelle and winked then turned back to face Clive, Johnny, *NSYNC and other members of the Board.  Immediately, Michelle’s eyes went wide and she had to cover her mouth to keep from laughing out loud. 

“With all do respect Mr. Wright, I think I have the wardrobe part covered.”

“You already have a designer? Whom?” Clive asked curiously.

“April Denise.” Alexis replied confidently.

JC nearly choked on his water causing everyone to look at him as he sputtered a bit, shook his head and tried not to smile.  Whether he liked it or not, it made sense, and he’d be lying if he didn’t admit that April’s designs didn’t look KILLER on Alexis.  Regardless, it definitely made things more interesting.

“April Denise?! I’m not familiar with her.”

From the side of the room Michelle could no longer maintain her giggles.  Her face was almost beet red and she was clutching her stomach as she held up three fingers for Clive and Johnny to see.

“Three? I’m not following.” Clive answered confused.

“At the release party, you asked if there was another Moretti you should be worried about running into.” Michelle explained between her giggles.

Clive chuckled a bit as he nodded.  “I see!  Well, if she is anything like the two of you then I have no concerns whatsoever.”

“You have NO IDEA.” JC smirked.

Clive just shook his head and laughed.  “Well, then, if there is nothing else, I will have Mr. Wright see you out and we will be in touch one way or another by the end of the day.”

Alexis, Michelle, Kenny and Andrew all said their “thank you’s” and then followed Johnny out of the conference room to the lobby and main entrance. 

Not even a minute later the men of *NSYNC politely excused themselves and quickly made their way towards the lobby.

“Wait up!” Joey called after Alexis and the others.

Everyone stopped as the members of *NSYNC practically ran down the hallway.  JC reached the group first, sweeping Alexis into his arms and spinning her around.

“You KILLED it!  OH MY GOD that was AMAZING!” JC exclaimed before popping a quick kiss on her lips.

“That was EPIC!  And that arrangement, WOW! Just WOW!  Oh YES! I definitely CANNOT wait to do that on tour!” Justin added excitedly.

Alexis giggled as JC set her back down on the ground.  “Thank you, but I can’t take ALL the credit, Michelle was a HUGE help.  I definitely couldn’t have done it without her.”

“You did good ‘Chelle!” JC said grinning down at her.

Michelle smiled then shrugged.  “Thanks, really, seeing your faces was all the thanks I needed, and yeah, I GUESS you’ve earned back that nickname but just YOU.  No one else. “

“Got it.” JC replied while the others nodded.

JC then turned to Alexis and grinned then licked his lips slightly so only she noticed.

“We are celebrating tonight!”

“OH?! We are, are we?” Alexis giggled catching his hint.

“YES! You and Me, Pretty lady! We are CELEBRATING!”

“What about us?” Chris asked pretending to pout.

Alexis giggled and nodded.  “How about after the Video shoot tomorrow we all celebrate?”

“Done!” Joey replied.

***

That evening Alexis arrived at JC’s place at around 6.  She was dressed much more casually, skinny jeans and a crop top tank top that showed off her nearly flat tummy. 

JC was all smiles when he opened the door.  He was dressed casually as well, a pair of jogging pants and a grey v-neck t-shirt that showed off a bit of the hair on his chest and the ever present Leo pendant around his neck.

Immediately upon opening the door JC reached for Alexis’s hand, pulled her into the house and then promptly shut the door behind her with the other hand. 

“Come here Pretty lady.” He whispered pulling her into him.

His hands went around her waist and his forehead he rested against hers.  His eyes fluttered closed for a moment and he sighed with content as he breathed in her scent.  Her shampoo smelled of peaches and vanilla and it was making him wild with anticipation.

“I’ve been waiting all day for this.” He whispered, his eyes still closed.

“Me too.” Alexis whispered back.

JC pulled away a bit and smiled at her.  Her green eyes were sparkling and the smile that tugged at her lips lit up her face.  Smiling to himself, JC stood there for a moment just taking her in.  She was intoxicating and he just could not get enough.

“Are you hungry?” He asked pulling her towards the kitchen.

“Famished! I was too nervous to eat this morning then too busy to eat this afternoon.  As soon as we got home Michelle went into FULL ON business mode.  She’s already working on a new web design for my official site and designing her own business cards and of course we had to call April and my parents.”

“Of course, how are Susan and Frank?” JC asked chuckling.

“Good.  My mom asked if this meant she could “officially” lift the embargo on all things Joshua Scott Chasez and *NSYNC related?”

JC laughed.  “And?”

“I said “yes”, of course.”

JC nodded, then grinned and bit his bottom lip.  “Good answer.”

“Then we told her that Michelle was dating Justin Timberlake and I think she nearly imploded.”

JC laughed out loud rather loudly at this.

“What did she say?”

“She said two pop stars was enough, that if April started dating a member of *NSYNC then certain sanctions may have to be re-instated.  I told her there was no cause for alarm because Lance is gay, Joey is married and Chris really isn’t April’s type.”

“What is April’s type?” JC smirked.

Alexis giggled.  “I’m not entirely sure, but I know it’s not Chris.”

JC nodded and smiled then brushed the hair from Alexis’s face.  “Well, enough about Chris and April, what do you say to some dinner and wine out on the patio?”

Alexis sighed and rubbed her tummy as it gave a little grumble.  “I’d say I think you’re speaking my language.”

JC chuckled then popped a kiss on her lips before leading her out to the patio.  He had everything already set up and waiting.  Candles had been lit on the table, next to them a bottle of wine and various Chinese take out boxes alongside two place settings complete with chopsticks.

“Look at you, tryin’ to be all cute and romantic with your candlelit dinner!” Alexis giggled.

JC made a face and nudged her playfully with his side.  “Tryin?!  Who said I was tryin’?! You’re lookin’ at a professional baby!”

This time it was Alexis’s turn to make a face.  “Who are you calling “Baby?!” No Sir, I’m not anyone’s “baby!”

JC grinned and pulled her in close.

 “NO?! You’re sure about that?” He whispered, his voice low and thick.

“Mmm Hmm.” Alexis replied quietly, her voice catching in her throat.

“Hmm, and there’s nothing I can do to persuade you otherwise?” He continued, his blue eyes piercing hers.

His eyes were on fire, causing her heart to begin pounding in her chest. 

Alexis shook her head but couldn’t speak.

“What if I said, “I love you”? Would that change your mind?’ He asked quietly, his eyes still glinting.

“Josh.” Alexis warned.

JC grinned then wrapped his arms around her waist again and pulled her into him, resting his hands comfortably on the small of her back.

He was looking down at her now, his eyes locked with hers as his lips gently grazed her mouth.

“You said it first Lexi, now it’s my turn.” He whispered.

“Josh, please?! Don’t joke around.” She managed to get out as her heart now rammed into her chest cavity.

JC pulled a hand free from her back and lifted it to her face, caressing her cheek with the back of his hand as he spoke.

“I’m not joking Lexi.  I love you!  I always have, I just didn’t realize it until you were gone.”

Then, as if right on cue her stomach began to growl loudly.  He looked down to where the noise had come from and couldn’t help but chuckle. 

“C’mon, let’s get some food in you.  We can continue this discussion later.”

Alexis blushed and nodded then pulled away a bit.  JC pulled out a chair for her, then helped her scoot in before taking his own seat. 

“Josh?” Alexis asked just as he was about sit.

He looked up at her, the candles flickering across her face and smiled.

“Yeah.”

Alexis blushed again and bit her lip.  “I love you too.  I have since the day I met you!”

Chapter 23 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

JC grinned.  “Well, now that we have that taken care of should we eat?”

Alexis laughed and nodded.  “Yes, please, before my stomach decides to eat itself.  What did you get?”

JC smiled devilishly and reached for the first take out carton.  “Hmm…what did I get? Let’s see.”

One by one he opened the containers and with each one Alexis’s smile grew a bit more.  He’d gotten all her favorites.

“Beef fried rice, cashew chicken AND Pork dumplings?! After all this time, you still remember my coffee order AND my Chinese take out order?” Alexis asked in disbelief.

JC smiled.  “I told you, I remember everything about you.”

“I’m impressed!” Alexis giggled.

“That was the idea.” JC replied chuckling.

JC opened the remainder of the cartons and for a while they were quiet as they ate.  He kept looking at her throughout the meal, and each time he looked at her he couldn’t help but smile.  After all the heartache, all the years of playing the field and never allowing himself to connect with another person this way he was glad and at the same time relieved to be here, in this place, with her.  To him, she was EVERYTHING he never knew he needed.

After eating ALL of the dumplings and at least half of the fried rice and Cashew chicken Alexis sat back in her chair and sighed with content.  Her belly was full and she was looking back at the man she’d been in love with since she was 12 years old.

“Better?” He asked, a smile tugging at his lips.

“Much!  I didn’t realize how hungry I was until I started eating, then I couldn’t stop, but I did manage to leave you a few leftovers for tomorrow.”

“I get that way sometimes, mostly when I am in the studio.  I just get so caught up in the process that I forget to eat.” JC explained nodding.

“Do you want help with the dishes?” Alexis asked awkwardly.

Suddenly, she felt nervous.  She didn’t know why.  It wasn’t like they hadn’t been intimate before.  They had, a few times.  Then again, she hadn’t actually admitted that she loved him the other times, and he definitely hadn’t said it back.

“Nah! I got it.  I’ll just close up the take- out cartons and put them in the fridge.  The dishes can go in the dishwasher.  You just sit back and relax, finish your glass of wine.  I’ll be right back.”

Alexis nodded and sat back a bit more while JC took care of the leftovers and the dishes.  It was August, so the evening breeze was warm but the sun had started to set so it wasn’t too hot.  Alexis took a sip of her wine and looked out towards the LA skyline.  JC’s house had a great view and because it was a gated community there was no busy street traffic below.  Just the quiet and the warm breeze blowing through her hair.  It was perfect.

When he finished JC returned to the patio and just stood watching Alexis for a few moments.  She was sipping her wine, looking out over the patio wall, the breeze ruffling her hair and the light from the still flaming candles flickering across her face.  She was BEAUTIFUL!

“WOW!” JC breathed out.

“Wow what?” Alexis asked, her gaze shifting towards him leaning in the doorway.

He was leaning against the doorframe, his arms crossed over his chest as he smiled at her.  It was making her feel warm and tingly or maybe it was the wine, she wasn’t sure.  Whatever it was, just looking at him, looking back at her that way was definitely causing a reaction.

“You! You’re GORGEOUS!”

Alexis blushed.  “Thank you.”

“Ready to go get cozy?” He asked.

Alexis raised an eyebrow.  “Cozy?! Where?”

“Umm…my bed.” JC replied cautiously.

Alexis couldn’t help but smirk.  “Your bed, huh?!  Would you be implying that you want me to stay the night Mr. Chasez?”

“Did you have other plans?” JC asked chuckling.

Alexis giggled, bit her lip and shook her head.  He was being adorable and it was infuriating but sexy at the same time.

“No, nothing that needs my immediate attention.”

“I do! I need your immediate attention!” JC teased.

Alexis laughed at his reply. 

JC grinned, crossed the patio, took her now empty wine glass in one hand and her hand in the other. Then, without a word he started to lead her through the house.  He placed the wine glass on the kitchen counter as they passed then lead her up the stairs to the Master bedroom.

Once inside the bedroom JC stripped quickly.  He pulled his t-shirt over his head and tossed it towards the walk-in closet.  Then, he pushed his track pants down around his ankles and stepped out of them, leaving him in just his boxer briefs.

Alexis bit her bottom lip and giggled softly, shaking her head as she pulled her crop top over her head and tossed it on the floor with his clothes.  Now, she was just in her jeans and black lace bra.  Still not saying a word Alexis unfastened the button on her jeans, then grabbed JC’s arm to steady herself as she stepped out of them and kicked them aside, revealing the black lace panties she was wearing to match the bra.

JC grinned and licked his lips then grabbed her arm and pulled her to him.

“Come here Pretty lady.” He whispered, guiding her arms around his neck and then placing his around her waist.

“Now what?” Alexis teased, her voice barely above a whisper.

JC smiled, then leaned forward and tilted his head so that his lips were just above her ear.

“This!” JC replied before placing his lips on her neck.

Alexis sighed and leaned into him as JC began to place soft kisses on her neck, leaving a trail of kisses that started just under her ear all the way down to the top of her shoulder. 

“Mmm.” Alexis purred softly as he continued kissing her.

JC took that as his cue and with one sweeping motion lifted Alexis into his arms and carried her to the bed.  Within moments he was naked and on top of her.

“Joshua Scott Chasez, are you trying to have sex with me?” Alexis teased, her cheeks slightly pink.

JC grinned and shook his head.  “No, Alexis Danielle Moretti, I’m trying to make love to you, there is a difference.  Allow me to show you.”

Alexis giggled and nodded.  “Please.”

With a bit of a playful smirk on his face JC dipped his head again and resumed kissing her on the neck.  His lips were soft, but when he started to gently nip at her neck with his teeth Alexis felt her entire body start to tingle. 

For a long time, JC just kept kissing and biting at her neck, causing shockwaves to shoot up and down her spine.  Then, just when she thought she couldn’t stand it any longer he turned his head slightly and covered her mouth with his.  His kisses were soft and sensual but not too soft and not too aggressive either.  After several minutes of this he deepened the kiss, applying pressure with his lips and gently forcing her lips to part. 

Alexis moaned softly and JC smiled against her.  He hadn’t actually “made love” to a girl in a really long time.  Truthfully, he didn’t think he’d ever “made love” to a woman on this level.  He was completely focused on pleasing her and taking care of her needs before his own.  Alexis was just that special.

While his lips were on hers Alexis’s hands were roaming his body.  After several minutes with her arms around his neck Alexis started to run her hands down his chest, gently fingering the baby fine hairs and running her fingertips ever so slightly over his nipples. She traced around them slowly with her ring finger and he groaned against her.  The feel of her fingertips against his skin was making the hair on his neck stand on end and his heart begin to pound in his chest.

Then, her hands continued their journey down his body until she found her final destination. 

“MMM…Not yet Pretty lady! Do THAT and this is going to end before I even get started.” He whispered against her stopping her hand with his.

Alexis bit her lip and nodded, then pulled her hand back and placed her arms back around his neck.

With her hands back in a safe position JC continued kissing on her.  He started on the other side of her neck then kissed a trail down her body stopping just short of the waist band of her black lace panties.

“Do you like these?” JC asked, a glint in his eye.

Alexis giggled. “Yes.”

“Damn it.” JC teased.

Alexis laughed and then before she could say another word JC started to gently pull her panties down with his teeth.

Alexis’s eyes went wide.  JC was grinning and his eyes were on her the whole time.  Once her panties were gone, he kissed his way back up her body until his hips were even with hers.  He captured her lips in a kiss again, plunging his tongue into her mouth as he slowly pushed his hips forward, applying just the right amount of pressure until he was fully inside her.

Alexis whimpered softly and arched her back, lifting her hips to meet him.  He felt her body tense up a bit and he smiled against her lips.

“Relax!  I promise to make sure you enjoy every moment of this.” He whispered.

Alexis blushed a bit, bit her lip and nodded then allowed her eyes to flutter closed.

“Mmm! NO! Open your eyes Lexi, I want to look at you while I make love to you.” JC replied, his voice low and gravely.

Alexis opened her eyes again only to have them lock with his.  His blue eyes were smoldering.  In fact, the love and passion radiating from his cool blue eyes sent shivers coursing through her.  Not once in all the time they’d known each other had Josh EVER looked at her the way he was looking at her now.

With her eyes now open JC pulled back a bit, then pushed forward again.  JC allowed himself to settle into a slow and steady rhythm, pushing and pulling with Alexis arching up to meet him with every thrust.  Alexis felt her body began to tremble and a warm, tingly sensation started to swell inside of her.

“Josh!” Alexis moaned.

JC grinned. “GOD, I LOVE it when you say my name!”

Alexis blushed more then nodded and kissed him hard on the mouth, then she pulled back a bit and whispered against his lips.

“Don’t stop! Please!”

“Not a chance Pretty lady.” JC whispered back.

He smiled at her, then took his left hand and pinned both her arms gently above her head.  With his right arm he lifted her left leg so that her bent knee was resting in the crook of his elbow.  This new position allowed him to push just a little bit more and as soon as he did Alexis let out a small scream.

“OH!”

He didn’t go harder or change the pace but just the simple act of raising her leg changed the game completely.  Within moments Alexis felt that warm, tingly sensation rise to a crescendo and then envelop her completely as she screamed out his name again.

“JOSH!”

JC reached his climax just as Alexis hit hers and then fell gently on top of her and began nibbling at her neck again until they both stopped shaking.

Once their heartbeats and pulse returned to a normal rhythm JC rolled to his side, their bodies still connected and popped a kiss on her lips.

“GOD, I love you!” JC sighed happily.

Alexis smiled and returned the pop kiss then rested her head on his chest.

“I love you too.  I’m sorry it took me so long to admit that.”

JC kissed the top of her head and chuckled.  “No need to apologize Pretty lady.  We’re here now, that’s all that matters.”

“That was…” Alexis started.

JC chuckled when she didn’t finish her statement.  “It was for me too.”

For a long time after they just lay there together, enjoying the silence and being together.  JC had started to play with her long, dark hair, twirling it gently with his fingers.  He didn’t want to spoil the moment but there were some things he wanted to get off his chest.  Things he needed to know.

“Can I ask you something and you won’t get mad at me for asking?”

Alexis shifted so that she could look at him.  The look in his eyes was serious, but gentle too.

“I can’t make any promises but I’ll certainly try.” She answered cautiously.

“You and Worden?”

Alexis forced a smile then sighed a bit and nodded.  She’d known since the day he’d shown up at JC’s house that this discussion was coming. 

“Yes. We were together.”

“Did you…”JC started but he couldn’t bring himself to finish the question.

Alexis knew what he was asking if he hadn’t been able to complete the question.

“Did we have sex? Yes.  Did we make love? No.  He was my first.  You were with April and I…”

JC cracked a smile and nodded then quieted her with his lips.

“It’s ok.  I get it.  I won’t lie and say that I’m not jealous, but I get it.  What I don’t get, is why you didn’t tell me.” He said quietly as he pulled away.

Alexis nodded.  “I was going to.  You were my Best friend.  Keeping that from you never even crossed my mind, but I never got the chance.  You left before I could say anything about it.”

JC sighed.  “I’m sorry. I am sorry I was such an idiot back then.”

Alexis smiled and put a finger to his lips.  “Shh!  We’re here now, that’s all that matters, right?”

“MMM! Yes!” JC mumbled before pulling her lips into a kiss.

Alexis sighed and leaned into the kiss then smiled at him as she pulled away.

“How about this? How about we agree to leave April and Marc in the past? I can’t be mad at April anymore and you can’t be mad at Marc if they are what brought us here.”

JC grinned and nodded.  “I can accept that, but now I have another question for you.”

“Ok?” Alexis asked raising an eyebrow.

“It’s about April.” JC confessed.

Alexis made a face.  “I thought we just agreed to leave April in the past.”

JC chuckled.  “It’s not about the two of us, or anything that happened back then.”

“Ok?!” Alexis repeated.

“I was just wondering if she was really going to design your wardrobe for the tour?”

Alexis laughed.  “That’s the plan.  I mean I asked her to and she said “yes.” Does that bother you?”

“Umm…yes and no.  It’s a little weird because, well, it’s April and there is history there, but I would be lying out of my ass if I said you didn’t look SMOKIN’ HOT in her designs so I am not going to argue or complain.”

“Fair enough.” Alexis laughed.

***

The next day, Friday, was the video shoot for “If I Never See Your Face.” Alexis was excited but nervous.  Shooting a music video with *NSYNC was a big deal.  It was such a big deal for *NSYNC, being that this was their first music video since coming back from an almost 5 year hiatus that they had brought in their old friend, and director Wayne Isham to direct the video. 

JC and Alexis arrived at the Sony studios lot at about 8  a.m. She was dressed in the clothes she’d worn to JC’s house the night before but figured it wasn’t a big deal because she’d be changing out of them soon enough. 

JC was just pulling his car into a spot when Kenny and Michelle pulled into the spot beside him.

Alexis grinned at her sister as she got down from Kenny’s SUV with not one, but a whole tray of coffee in her hand. 

“You are my HERO!” Alexis giggled as she stepped out of JC’s car.

No sooner had Alexis stepped from the car and started to approach her sister when two figures blurred past them, yelling and screaming as they ran by. It was Chris and Justin.  Justin was chasing Chris, who was screaming and waving his hands in the air like a giddy teenager.

JC could only laugh and shake his head.

“Not even 9 yet and already Chris and Justin are up to the usual backstage antics.”

“This is normal.” Alexis laughed.

“Normal? No.  Typical? Yes.” JC replied.

“Good to know.” Alexis giggled as Michelle handed her a cup of coffee.

“The Starbucks we went to was out of Peppermint syrup so I got you just a White Mocha instead.” Michelle explained.

“What?! How dare they?! No, I’m kidding, thank you.” Alexis giggled.

Chris and Justin came back around, still screaming and making a big scene that was until Justin saw Michelle standing there with the tray of coffee.

“Oooh! Coffee!” Justin squealed coming to a stop just in front of Michelle.

Michelle laughed and shook her head as she pulled a plastic cup from the tray and handed it to him.

“Yes, Justin, I got you coffee.  One iced, triple, grande White Mocha.”

“Thank you Beautiful!” Justin said smiling.

He leaned in and dropped a quick kiss on Michelle’s lips causing Michelle to blush slightly.  Meanwhile, Alexis could only smile and shake her head.

“A triple?! Wow! I’m like the Queen of coffee and even I don’t do a triple.”  Alexis exclaimed.

Justin grinned.  “Well, I knew it was going to be a LONG day and I didn’t get much sleep last night….”

Alexis’s eyes went wide.  “NOPE! NOPE! NO!  It’s EARLY and I have not had nearly enough of my coffee yet!  I do NOT need or want to hear about your sex-capades with MY little sister!”

“Yeah man, let people get their caffeine fix before hitting them with the naughty talk.” Chris teased as he joined the group.

JC snorted.  “Naughty talk? Really? That’s what you’re calling it?”

Michelle grinned and waved her hand dismissively.  “Pay him no mind Chris.  Josh is just being grouchy because I haven’t handed him his coffee yet.”

“You brought me coffee too?’ JC asked surprised.

Michelle grinned and nodded.  “Absolutely! Anyone who willingly puts up with MY big sister in the morning, BEFORE she has had coffee deserves some sort of compensation for their troubles.”

Alexis smirked and made a face.  “I’m not THAT bad!”

Michelle looked to Chris and Justin and smirked.  “She’s THAT bad.  We’ve been roommates for the past four years…trust me on this.”

Justin held his hands up in defense and grinned back at her.  “This sounds like a Moretti dispute and I’ve been well advised to stay clear of those, for my own safety.”

“Smart man. I knew I liked you.” Alexis teased.

“Traitor!” Michelle snapped back playfully, sticking her tongue out at Justin.

They all laughed at this then Chris jumped in again.

“So…coffee for you two, JC and Justin but who are the others for?” Chris asked nodding to the tray that Kenny had just pulled from the SUV.

He a had a Starbucks tray full of coffee in one hand and his own in the other.  That meant there were still 4 cups of coffee unspoken for.

“Hmm…I wonder.” Michelle teased.

Chris’s face lit up.  “Really?! You brought us all coffee?”

Michelle grinned.  “Umm…duh! Like I could just leave you three out! NO! Of course, I’m not going to forget the other three members of the GREATEST boyband of ALL time!”

Alexis smirked and gave both Justin and Chris a wink.  “Please, Michelle! Show some respect!  New Kids on the Block is the GREATEST boyband of all time!

Michelle made a face and her jaw dropped meanwhile JC couldn’t help but laugh and shake his head.  He knew that Alexis was baiting her sister on purpose.

“You are NOT a Blockhead Lexi!” He chuckled.

Alexis giggled and nodded.  “You’re right, I’m not.  They were good back in their day, and I liked some of the songs but NO, boybands were never my thing.”

“How about now?” Justin asked grinning.

Alexis blushed then laughed and nodded at him.  “Didn’t Michelle tell you?! I filled out my official *NSYNC “fan girl” application and put it in the mail just the other day, after the Release party. I should receive my ID card in 7-10 business days.”

“About damn time!” JC smirked.

It was then that they were joined by 3 more.  Joey, Lance and a man that Alexis didn’t recognize approached.  He was dressed somewhat casually in jeans and a t-shirt.  On his head, a long mess of dirty blonde hair that just brushed the top of his shoulders, and a black baseball cap.   His eyes were hidden behind a pair of dark Ray-ban sunglasses but she could tell his eyes were smiling as were his lips as they approached.

“Well, well, well…JC and Justin, so good of you to join us…and on time for once.  Who do I have to thank for that, and who are these GORGEOUS women you brought with you?” the man asked grinning.

JC opened his mouth to reply but the man continued on before he could even get a word out.

“No, no, don’t tell me…you must be our leading lady, Danielle?” He asked looking to Michelle.

Michelle’s face flashed crimson and she couldn’t help but giggle at his mistake.  Michelle had been a “fan girl” of *NSYNC since before there was an even an *NSYNC.  She’d been crushing on Justin and in awe of JC since the MMC days so she DEFINITELY knew whom it was she was speaking to even if her older sister didn’t.

Still blushing like crazy Michelle took one of the unclaimed cups of coffee from the tray and offered it to the man as she nodded to her sister and then began to speak.

“No, no Mr. Isham.  Allow me to introduce myself, I’m Michelle Moretti, the Publicist/Personal Assistant/Little Sister.  THIS is your leading lady. My older sister, Danielle.”

Wayne Isham grinned and nodded as he took the cup of coffee from her outstretched hand.  “SO, Intelligent, GORGEOUS and thoughtful.  I like you already!”

Michelle just giggled and blushed more.  She was full on “fangirling” at the moment.

Alexis smiled and shook her head as she offered her hand to shake his free one.  “Yes, Hi Mr. Isham, I’m Danielle.  It’s a pleasure to meet you.  Please excuse my sister, the *NSYNCopledia, she’s “fangirling” over you right now.  Truthfully, she hasn’t SHUT UP about you since I told her you were directing this video.  She speaks very highly of you.”

Wayne chuckled.  “I’m flattered, but I have to confess, these gentlemen speak very highly of you as well.  I did my homework.  You’ve got some serious chops girl! I’m excited!”

“Thank you.” Alexis replied as she also started to blush.

“Should we go ahead and get this party started? We’ve got a LONG day of filming ahead of us.” Wayne replied.

Everyone nodded then followed Wayne to the video set.  The video was being shot on one of the LARGEST soundstages on the Sony lot.  The soundstage had been divided into four different vignettes but once you stepped inside one it felt as if you’d been transported to another place and time. Attention to detail had definitely not been spared.  In fact, every vignette was so life-like and real that you couldn’t even tell they were on a soundstage anymore.

Alexis was in awe, and apparently so was Michelle because as soon as Alexis turned to look at her sister, she couldn’t help but smile.  Michelle’s jaw was on the floor. 

The first shot of the day coincided with the first verse of the song meaning Alexis would be front and center with the entire group as Justin “sang” lead.  The vignette for this part of the video was a completely red room.  Red walls with gold accent molding, plush red carpet and two giant chandeliers hanging above the “center” of the room.  In the center of the room five vintage 50’s era microphones on stands and at the back of the room, facing the “stage” area a light brown chaise lounge where Alexis would be.

Now it was time for hair and make-up, meaning Alexis and Michelle headed off to Alexis’s trailer while the men of *NSYNC did the same.

Alexis was going to take a lot longer with hair, make-up and wardrobe and Wayne didn’t want to waste any time so while they waited for Alexis the men of *NSYNC shot all the wide angle and close-up shots for the vignette that Alexis wasn’t in.  That took a couple hours and just about the time that they finished filming Alexis emerged from her trailer dressed and ready to go.

“First shot of the day” Alexis giggled as she looked at one of the many cameras that was documenting the whole experience.

Alexis looked down at herself and took a deep breath.  This was not a dress she would choose for herself but even she had to admit it looked good on her.  It was a black mini dress with a sweetheart neckline and thick silk straps that stopped about an inch or two below her butt.  On her legs, a pair of sheer black panty hose and on her feet a pair of Chanelle pumps.  She was also wearing a pair of long, black satin gloves with the fingers cut out that stretched all the way up to her elbows.  Her fingernails had also been cleaned and manicured and painted a bright red.  Also, not something she would normally choose for herself but she was playing a role and so she didn’t argue.

As soon as Alexis stepped on to the set all talking subsided.  Every man in the makeshift room stood there completely dumbfounded.

Chris was the first to find his voice.

“DAMN!” Chris whistled.

Alexis laughed and blushed.  “That bad, huh?”

“Bad?! No, the only bad thing about you is the thoughts I’m having.” Chris replied.

“Watch it!” JC growled protectively.

Alexis giggled and shook her head.

“What?! She looks SMOKIN HOT! We’re ALL thinking it, I’m just the only one verbalizing it.  I know she’s your girl…I would never…”Chris shot back defensively.

JC chuckled awkwardly and nodded.  Deep down he knew Chris was being sincere.  Neither one of them would ever do that to the other.

“Touche Chris, and for what it’s worth I know you wouldn’t.”

“You look exquisite! Ready for your first shot?” Wayne jumped in.

“Let’s do it.”

Once all the shots for this vignette were on film it was time to move the 2nd vignette for the video.  This one was the dining room scene, and it meant another trip to wardrobe for Justin, JC and Alexis.  This time Alexis was dressed in a black corset top; a white suit coat with the sleeves pushed up to her elbows, a pair of black, bootylicious shorts; fishnet stockings and a pair of Gucci heels this time.

The dining room set was essentially just that, a very large dining room.  Black and white checkered flooring, dark navy-blue walls with white accent molding, another very large, crystal chandelier, two stone pillars at the back of the room with very ornate canisters standing on top and a long marble table with two Victorian era, plush, high back dining room chairs standing at either end.

This time, Alexis was the first one on set but JC and Justin were not far behind and when they stepped onto the set Alexis felt her breath catch in her throat.

An already attractive man in a perfectly tailored suit was the stuff wet dreams were made of and now here were two in front of her.

“Dear GOD there should be a law against this! I think my ovaries just exploded!” Alexis whispered to herself.

“You ok?” JC asked biting his lip.

He could tell by the look in her eyes what she must be thinking.

“Uh huh, all good!” Alexis managed to reply.

After they got all the shots for the dining room vignette everyone took a break for lunch.  It was already after noon and people were starting to get hungry.  The next vignette, the bedroom one was going to take a little bit longer to get ready to shoot so a lunch break made sense.

Once the lunch break was over it was back to her trailer for Alexis so she could change and get ready. 

“How are you doing?” Michelle asked, handing her sister a bottle of water.

A stylist was doing touch ups to her hair and reapplying make-up where it was needed.

“Ok.  This is way more intense than either of my video shoots.” Alexis replied before taking a sip of water.

Michelle grinned.  “That’s because this is an *NSYNC/Wayne Isham video.  Isham is a GENIUS, seriously, he’s done videos for everyone from Michael Jackson and the Rolling Stones to Bon Jovi and Ricky Martin.”

Alexis smiled up at her sister.  “You’re geeking out, aren’t you?”

Michelle laughed.  “I am! For sure! This video is straight up SEX and once people see it, OH MY GOD! Millions of women all over the world are going to become pregnant by Immaculate conception!”

Alexis snorted and laughed.  “You too, huh?”

Michelle placed a hand to her chest then dramatically wiped her brow with the other before fanning herself.  “LAWD, YES girl!  Josh may be like an older brother to me but even I can admit he looks FINE as FUCK in that suit!”

“And Justin?” Alexis teased.

Michelle shot her sister a look then grinned and bit her lip.  “He better bring that suit home, so I can help him take it off, that’s all I’m sayin’”

 

 

With hair and make-up done Michelle and a wardrobe assistant helped Alexis change into the next outfit for the next set of shots.  This outfit was a dark purple halter dress with a plunging V neckline and an open back.  On her legs, another pair of fishnet stockings, but these were the type that only came up the leg part of the way then attached to her panties with straps and clips.  In other words, they were HOTT!

The bedroom vignette was just JC and Alexis.  JC had been insistent upon that since the storyboard phase.  Yes, he trusted Justin implicitly and knew that this was just an act, but JC also understood that he had a bit of a jealous streak, that would be very hard contain given the context.   Therefore, rather than risk his emotions getting the better of him the group had agreed to his request. 

The bedroom vignette was spacious, but still felt very intimate.  Green curtains hung all around the space, making it feel more private than it really was.  Against one of the fake walls stood a king size bed with a mirrored headboard, a lavender duvet and lavender satin pillows.  Next to the bed, two decorative night stands with glass tops and opaque sea shell lamps.  The carpet was also a light pink/lavender color.  In one corner a pair of leather, seashell shaped chairs and in the corner that was diagonal to the chairs, another leather chaise lounge. 

If she hadn’t known any better Alexis would have sworn it was an actual bedroom.

JC was already in place when Alexis walked on to the set and when she saw him, she immediately felt her breath catch in her throat.  He was dressed in a light grey suit, a crisp, white shirt with very subtle pink and lavender pin stripes, a dark purple tie that matched the hue of her dress and a lavender pocket square in his suit jacket pocket.

“Yup! I’m pregnant.” Alexis whispered to herself with a smirk.

Meanwhile, JC was having a similar reaction.  As soon as Alexis stepped into his line of sight JC felt himself go hard in his dress pants.  Thank GOD he would be sitting down in a chair with his legs crossed for the first part of the shot.

“FUCK! I knew I should have brought that package of underwear.” JC muttered to himself.

“You ok man? You look a little hot and bothered.” Wayne asked, walking into the frame.

JC lowered his eyes and gave Wayne a look.  “It’s August…in LA…and I’m in a suit, of course, I’m hot.”

Wayne chuckled a bit then looked to Alexis.  “And the bothered part?”

JC again, scowled at Wayne.  “What do you think?”

Wayne laughed and patted the younger man on the shoulder.  “Ok, ok, yeah.  I see your point.  C’mon, let’s get the shot.”

Moments later JC found himself in a chair, one leg crossed over the other as the song played back and he mouthed the words to the camera just over his right shoulder.  Meanwhile, Alexis was rolling around on the bed, touching herself and he was having a really hard time trying not to watch her and at the same time pretend to be unaffected by what she was doing.

It didn’t help that they had to do the shot several times from several different angles.  By the time they finished with that part of the shot JC was a wreck.  In fact, he was wracking his brain, trying to come up with something, anything to settle things down a bit. 

“You good to keep going?” Wayne asked, snapping JC from his thoughts.

JC looked to Alexis on the bed.  She was laying across it, on her stomach, her chin in her hands and her feet in the air behind her. 

“NO! I need a minute…” JC managed to get out, his eyes pleading with Wayne to catch his hint.

Wayne looked at back at JC and had to fight not to grin.

“How about 15? Is that good enough?” Wayne replied nodding.

“PERFECT!”

In the next instant JC was out of the chair and grabbing Alexis by the hand, yanking her to her feet as quickly as possible without hurting her. 

“You’re coming with me!” He said, his voice low and thick.

Alexis had to practically jog to keep up with him but the look in his eyes spoke volumes.  His eyes were on fire and the way he was holding his jacket closed and practically running to his trailer gave her a pretty good idea as to what was happening.

“Where’s the fire?” Joey called out as they raced past.

JC didn’t respond, at least not verbally.  Instead, he just held up and hand dismissing Joey and kept walking.

JC’s trailer was slightly bigger and closer so he headed there, pulling her up the steps almost two at a time. 

Once inside the trailer JC quickly locked the door and then ditched his suit jacket before Alexis could even register what was happening.

With the jacket gone, JC caught Alexis’s lips in a kiss then started to push her back through the trailer until she backed up against the table.  JC’s lips were aggressive but she wasn’t complaining.  The moment she parted hers his tongue found its way into her mouth and a shiver raced down her spine.  In the next moment she felt his hands at her hips, hoisting her up onto the table and then pushing her legs apart as he stepped between them.

Alexis knew what was about to happen.  Instinctively, her hands went to his waist.  Her fingers made quick work of unfastening the button on his dress pants and then quickly undoing the zipper.  With the zipper undone he was free.

He groaned against her mouth and then used his own hand to push her panties to one side.

“I’m sorry Pretty lady, this might be a bit rough!” He whispered as he pushed his hips forward and slid into her easily.

She gasped and slid herself forward towards the edge of the table to meet him.

“No complaints here!” Alexis whispered back.

That was all the affirmation JC needed.  In the next moment he was thrusting into her.  Again and again, he went and as he did Alexis’s hands went up the back of his shirt and began to claw at his back with her newly manicured fingernails.

“Fuck! Yes!” He groaned.

And just when Alexis thought it couldn’t get any hotter between them JC pushed her back so she was now laying on the table.  Alexis gripped the edge of the table for support as JC held her hips down with one hand.  With the other he ran his palm down the V of her dress, between her breasts then pushed the fabric of the dress and her strapless bra aside. 

Alexis moaned loudly when she felt the palm of his hand against her skin but when he cupped her breast with his hand and began teasing her with his fingers she nearly screamed.

“Shh Pretty lady! Wouldn’t want anyone to get the wrong idea.”

Alexis shook her head and managed a weak reply.  “Too late for that I think”

“Do you want me to stop?” He teased, his voice still low.

“NO!” She whimpered.

“You’re sure?”

“Josh! Please!” Alexis replied, her voice barely a whisper.

“Say it again.” He replied.

“Say what?”

“Say my name!” He said, but now his voice was gravely and full of emotion.

“Josh!” She whispered.

It was the sound of her voice saying his name that undid him.  In the next moment they both unraveled into each other.  Both of their bodies were shaking.  In fact, Alexis was shaking so bad that it was making the table rattle beneath her.

JC’s level of concern was immediately heightened.  He helped her sit up an pulled her to him, wrapping his arms around her and allowing her to rest her head on his chest.  Alexis draped her arms around his waist and allowed herself to melt into him.

“Are you ok? I didn’t hurt you, did I?”

Alexis shook her head against him but didn’t speak.

When she didn’t say anything after a few minutes he pulled away and lifted her chin with his hand.  His blue eyes were swimming with concern.

Alexis giggled a bit, shuddered slightly and bit her lip.  “I’m ok, I’m just going to need a few minutes to collect myself after that.”

JC grinned and popped a kiss on her lips.  “I got you girl!  Trust me, I’m going to need a few minutes myself.”

“What brought this on? Not that I’m complaining, I’m just curious.” Alexis giggled.

JC chuckled.  “You did! Rolling around on that bed in this dress!”

“Oh!  I’m sorry!” Alexis replied blushing.

JC shook his head fervently.  “Don’t be! It was HOTT!”

“You gonna be ok going back?” Alexis asked trying not to laugh.

“I will be now!”

Alexis laughed out loud at his reply.

“Got it out of your system, did you?”

“For now!” JC replied his eyes full of mischief.

Chapter 24 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

“Come here Pretty lady…let me help you out.” JC said helping her to stand from the table.

Alexis stood then watched with interest as JC went about helping her fix her dress and smooth her hair so that what they’d just done was a little less obvious.  Moments before he’d been aggressive and commanding, now he was being gentle and compassionate.  It was sexy as hell!

Gently, he helped straighten her dress and fix the fabric covering her chest so that it hugged her curves the way it was supposed to.  Then he fluffed her hair a bit with his fingers before spinning her around to make sure her dress wasn’t tucked into her panties or wrinkled too badly.

Once he felt confident that everything on her was as it should be JC started the process of fixing himself. 

Smiling a bit at himself JC reached down and started to tuck his shirt back into his pants.  Alexis giggled a bit and bit her lip then reached out with her hands to try to help him.

JC’s eyes went wide and he immediately grabbed her hands to stop her.

“NO Ma’am…not unless you’re ready for round 2!” JC breathed out.

Alexis giggled a bit and pulled her hands back, reaching up to help him with his tie instead.

“Really?! This dress?” Alexis asked as she straightened his tie then let her hands rest on his shoulders.

JC grinned and bit his lip.  “Mmm…Pretty lady…YES…you…the dress…the tights …ALL of it!”

Alexis giggled a bit more and shook her head.  “You are something else Mr. Chasez.”

JC laughed.  “Is that a good something or a bad something?”

Alexis smirked.  “It depends.”

JC laughed even more then wrapped his arms around her waist and dropped a quick kiss on the top of her head.

“C’mon Pretty lady…we better get back for they send a search party for us.”

Meanwhile, outside the trailer, back on the set the discussion was getting interesting. 

“I hope everything is ok.” Lance mused aloud.

Michelle giggled and shook her head.  “I’m sure it’s fine.”

“JC was in a bit of a rush…and they’ve been gone for a bit…” Lance continued.

Michelle laughed more then patted Lance on the arm and gave him a knowing look.  “They’re fine…TRUST ME!”

Lance wasn’t catching on. 

“Maybe one of us should go check on them…make sure everything is ok.” Lance mused as he started to stand.

“NO!” Everyone chorused.

Immediately, Michelle grabbed Lance by the arm and yanked him back down into his chair.

“Lance! Unless you have a death wish I would sit your ass back down.  They are just fine! I promise!” Michelle managed to get out.

“You’re sure?” Lance asked.

He wasn’t convinced.

For the second time within the conversation Michelle gave Lance a very pointed, knowing look.  She was smiling and shaking her head all while praying she didn’t have to spell it out for him in front of everyone.

“C’mon Lance, I know you’re a smart guy…stay with me here…I can assure you, they don’t need ANY help right now.”

It took a second for Lance to catch on but once he did his eyes went wide and smile began to spread across his face.

“OH! Gotcha!  Yeah, ok.  I’m sure Alexis has it handled.” Lance chuckled with embarrassment.

Joey snorted.  “OH YES! I’d bet money Alexis definitely handled IT!”

Chris, Justin, Lance and Michelle just laughed and shook their heads at Joey’s comment only to have Alexis and JC reappear on set a moment later.

“Better?!” Wayne asked chuckling and shaking his head.

JC smirked.  “Yup! All good.”

“Good.  Can we continue?”

“Ready when you are.” JC said with a sly smile.

“Let’s go!”

The rest of the bedroom scene went off without a hitch.  JC was able to play his role and appear unaffected with minimal difficulty.  Yes, there was a moment as he was standing in front of the bed, looking down at her as she rolled around where he briefly had to check himself but he was able to stay in character long enough to finish the shot.

With the bedroom scene over it was time for wardrobe changes again.  JC and Justin would be changing into yet another suit meanwhile Alexis would be changing into something that although covered more of her also left more to the imagination. 

Alexis was dressed in a pair of really short, black satin shorts.  Truthfully, they were more like bloomers than shorts and a dark blue suit jacket with nothing underneath.  The jacket was buttoned closed in one spot, right at her sternum, leaving most of her chest and stomach exposed.  On her feet, a pair of black leather boots that went up to her thighs.  Whomever had been in charge of the wardrobe choices definitely knew what they were doing in terms of ramping up the sex appeal.

Alexis was standing in the mirror, examining her reflection when Michelle stepped into the trailer and immediately busted up laughing.

“What’s so funny?” Alexis smirked, making a face.

“I’m just picturing Josh’s face when he sees you dressed like that.” Michelle giggled.

Alexis couldn’t help but laugh a little.  Her sister wasn’t wrong.  Josh was probably going to lose his mind, among other things when he saw her.

“Not my fault! I did not pick this wardrobe!” Alexis giggled, holding up her hands in surrender.

Michelle laughed and nodded. “I know, but that doesn’t make it any less amusing or fun to watch.”

“Like Justin wouldn’t react the same way if this was you and not me.” Alexis shot back playfully.

Michelle snorted.  “He’s a guy, of course he would, but like I said, that doesn’t make it any less fun to watch.”

Alexis grinned.  “True.”

The next vignette was simple.  A very long, dark green, velvet couch with wood trim against a blue wall.  That was it.  However, it was enough. 

Alexis would be paired with Justin first.  He was already on the couch waiting when Alexis stepped into the vignette.  Wayne was giving him some directions and he was listening intently at least until Alexis stepped into view.

As soon as Justin caught a glimpse of Alexis a slow grin spread across his face.  He had to bite his lip to keep from laughing.  JC was going to lose his SHIT for sure. 

“What’s that look for?” Alexis asked as she took her place next to Justin on the couch.

“Has JC seen you like that?” Justin smirked.

Alexis giggled. She knew what Justin was getting at. 

“No. Not yet.”

“Can I please be there when he does?” Justin chuckled.

Alexis laughed at this. “Like you wouldn’t have the same reaction if it were Michelle sitting here and not me.”

This time, it was Justin’s turn to laugh.  “Oh, I know I would.  That’s what makes it so great.”

“You’re terrible!” Alexis teased.

“Not according to your sister.” Justin shot back playfully.

Alexis made a face and swatted at him.  “Yeah, like I said this morning, I do NOT need or want to know about your extra-curricular activities with my sister!”

Justin just grinned.  “That’s fair.”

“Ok you two, time to get to it.” Wayne interrupted.

“Ready when you are.” Alexis replied nodding.

“Great!  So, for this Justin you’ll be on one end of the couch with your arms over the back and the side of the couch and Danielle you’ll be laying down with your head on Justin’s lap.”

Alexis’s eyes went wide and Justin immediately had to cover his mouth to smother his grin and the fit of giggles that was threatening to erupt.

Wayne looked at the both of them and made a face.

“What did I say?”

Justin chuckled and shook his head.  “Man, I love you.  You are a GENIUS, but I hope you’re ready to attend your own funeral because JC is going to kick your ass for this.”

For a moment, Wayne stood there with a bewildered look on his face.  Then he looked to Alexis and his eyes widened.

“You and JC?” Wayne asked, directing his question at Alexis.

Alexis smiled and nodded.  “Yes, Sir.”

Wayne shook his head and chuckled a bit.  “Now it all makes sense.  Ok, let’s get the shot. I’ll deal with him if needed.”

About a half hour later they were done with Justin’s part and were moving on to JC. 

JC walked on to the set and his reaction was immediate as was Alexis’s.

JC was dressed in dark blue vest, a crisp white dress shirt with a dark and light blue striped tie, and dark blue dress slacks.  It was then, as Alexis was watching him approach that she realized that the wardrobe had been planned this way.  Whomever was in charge of wardrobe definitely paid attention to detail because they had purposely made it look like Alexis was wearing the coat to his suit.  It was BRILLIANT but at the same time, sexy as hell.

“Good lord!” Alexis muttered to herself.

“Well FUCK!” JC grunted.

“You ok?” Wayne asked noticing JC’s expression.

“Let’s just get the shot.” JC grumbled.

Wayne grinned and shook his head.  “Ok, go ahead and take a seat next to Danielle.  Danielle, you go ahead and just do the same thing you did with Justin.”

“Got it.” Alexis replied trying to hide her smile.

Alexis lay her head down on JC’s lap and watched with amusement as JC’s eyes went wide.  Realization had set in.

“Wait?! What?! The same?!” JC exclaimed.

Alexis bit her lip to keep from laughing then reached up, guided his chin down so that he was now looking at her and smiled.

“Breathe.  It’s just a video.  It’s not real. I’m with you.”

JC swallowed the lump in his throat and nodded.  “Ok.”

After the couch vignette there was another break for dinner.  It was already after 10 p.m. but rather than call it a night they were pressing on.  The goal was to try to get the shoot done all in one day because Wayne was on a tight schedule.  He was supposed to fly to London the next day to shoot a video for 3 Doors Down but because he had a history with *NSYNC had committed himself to this video as well, in spite of the time crunch.  It was just the way everyone’s schedules had worked out.

After dinner was over it was time for one more wardrobe change.   This would be the last vignette of the shoot, and truthfully, it wasn’t even a vignette. It was a white wall and they would only be filming from the shoulders up.  Also, Justin and JC wouldn’t be in any of these shots.  This was Wayne’s way of giving the other three guys a bit more camera time as well as some interaction with Alexis.  Alexis was excited.  She didn’t know the other three as well as she did JC and Justin so the opportunity to have a little fun together was welcome.

The other great thing about these shots was that since they were only filming from the shoulders up Alexis could get comfortable.  As soon as she got to her trailer after dinner, she quickly ditched the booty shorts and shimmied back into her jeans and tennis shoes.  Then she removed the jacket, placed it back on the hanger, and pulled the green halter top she was supposed to wear from the rack.  With the halter top on she went for the jewelry box sitting on the vanity and pulled out the dangling ruby earrings that had been set aside for this shot.  Then it was back to the set.

Because he actually had a bit of solo part in the song, Chris was first. 

“My turn! Yay!” Chris cheered as Alexis stepped onto the set.

Alexis giggled and nodded as she took her place next to him against the wall.  He was wearing a black dress shirt and cargo shorts.  Apparently, she wasn’t the only one going for comfort at this late hour.

“Feeling left out, are you?” Alexis teased.

“Maybe a little.  JC and Justin always get the girl.” Chris said pretending to pout.

Alexis laughed.  “Yes, but JC and Justin are off the market now, so….”

“Well, there are three of you.” Chris smirked.

Alexis snorted loudly then made a face.  The cameramen were still lining up the shot. 

“NO! NO! I love my sister…I do…but trust me Chris…you want NO part of that! You’re too adorable for her.  Plus, I think the Universe would implode if all 3 Moretti girls were dating members of *NSYNC.”

“Adorable, huh?” Chris said grinning.

“Absolutely!” Alexis said nodding.

“YA HEAR THAT JC…YOUR GIRL THINKS I’M ADORABLE!” Chris screamed across the set.

“LIKE A SAD PUPPY!” JC shot back with a smirk.

Alexis laughed and shook her head.  “Pay him no mind Chris! He’s horny and tired!”

Chris laughed and it took a moment for him to regain his composure.  He did just in time for Wayne to give the signal that they were ready to film. 

After Chris it was Joey and then Lance.  The shots were mostly improvisational with them grooving along to the playback against the wall and just having fun.  Truthfully, it was one of Alexis’s favorite parts of the shoot, because she got to be herself.  Once the shots with the guys were done it was just Alexis against the white wall.  Again, she just grooved along with the playback and enjoyed herself.  It was the perfect way to end a long day of shooting.

At about 2 a.m. Wayne finally made the call.

“That’s a wrap!” He exclaimed as everyone on set cheered.

Now it was time to head home for some much needed sleep, but the group had all agreed to meet up with Alexis and Michelle the next day to celebrate.

***

At about 5 p.m. the next day everyone headed for Alexis and Michelle’s favorite spot, “El Sombrero” for an early dinner and drinks. 

Michelle, being ever prepared, had the forethought to call ahead and request that the entire patio area be reserved so that they wouldn’t be disturbed.  Truthfully, the likelihood that anyone would bother them in this part of town was slim but Michelle knew all too well what could happen if word got out that *NSYNC was having dinner together in Rancho Park.  Also, Alexis and Michelle were “Regulars” so the last thing either girl wanted was to cause problems.

One by one the men of *NSYNC arrived at the restaurant and one by one Freddy, the Host, escorted them to the back patio with a Cheshire grin on his face. 

A large circular table with seven place settings and seven chairs was set up just a few feet from the fountain in the center.  Then, off to one side, a smaller square table that seated four had been set for Security.

Alexis and Michelle were the last to arrive and as soon as they stepped into the restaurant Freddy, the Host, was all grins.

“Do you know how much I LOVE you two right now?” Freddy gushed.

Both girls looked at each other and grinned.  They had a pretty good idea why Freddy was so giddy at the moment.

“No. How much?” Michelle giggled.

“This much!” He said grabbing both of them and pulling them into a tight hug.

“Oh yeah, why is that?” Alexis laughed as the two girls pulled away.

 

 

“Why?! Hmm! I wonder! I was bummed, because I got called in to cover a shift.  I was supposed to go out Salsa dancing tonight so I am standing here, feeling sorry for myself and who should walk in one by one? Oh, I don’t know, just five of the most BEAUTIFUL examples of the male species to ever walk this earth! Turned my frown upside down!”

Alexis and Michelle both laughed at his reply but he wasn’t done speaking.

“I thought it was my lucky day the two times that Mr. Fine Ass Daddy Chasez was in here, mind you I was less than pleased the time he was in here with another girl that wasn’t you.” Freddy said nodding to Alexis.

Both girls giggled, then Michelle explained.

“That was our sister.  It’s a long story…for another time.”

Freddy’s jaw dropped.  “Your sister?! I thought you said she lived in New York.”

Alexis nodded.  “She does, but like Michelle said, THAT is a story for another time.”

“YESSS GIRL! I will be signing up for the Book club on that one!  Now, please, tell me, how did you get so lucky to be having dinner with *NSYNC?”

Michelle grinned.  “We’re celebrating.”

“Celebrating what?” Freddy asked curiously.

Alexis couldn’t help blush a bit as Michelle explained.

“The video for their new single, it finished filming EARLY this morning, and Alexis is IN IT!”

Freddy’s jaw dropped.  “What?! How?!”

Alexis blushed more if possible.  “Umm…well…I sing on the track with them.”

“STAHHHP IT!  OH MY GOD! I love you AND I hate you!  Guess I know what I am doing after work tonight.”

“What?” both girls asked grinning.

“Going to buy the new *NSYNC album.  UGH!  I guess it’s good I took the extra shift, they are going to be taking all my money again soon enough!”

Alexis and Michelle couldn’t help but laugh at his admission.

In fact, they were still giggling a bit when they reached the table but were trying to smother it quickly.

“About time, you two live literally five minutes from here.  What took you so long?” JC teased.

Alexis smiled and shook her head.  “We were just chatting with the Host.  He’s a friend. “

“A “friend” huh?  Should I be concerned?” JC asked raising an eyebrow.

Michelle couldn’t help herself.  It was just too good.

“No, you shouldn’t but Lance probably should.” Michelle replied with a smirk.

“Me?! Why me?!” Lance exclaimed.

Michelle didn’t miss a beat. 

“Oh Lance…you sweet man…you have no idea…you are a magical creature and you don’t even know it!  How you got this much HOTTER over the past almost five years the world may never know, but you did, and NOW…we’ll see whose undies get a little wetter at your shows…the ladies or all the gay men?!”

Around the table the other members of *NSYNC couldn’t help but laugh, meanwhile, Lance was the color of a tomato.

“OH MY GOD Michelle!” JC smirked as he shook his head.

“You laugh, but you know it’s true.” Michelle shot back.

“Probably.” Joey chuckled.

Lance blushed and nodded.  “Thank you…I think.”

Alexis smiled as she took her seat between him and JC. 

“It was a compliment.  It may not have sounded that way, but it was.  Of the three of us, Michelle probably has the weakest filter sometimes…then again, after growing up with April and I, I would imagine it would be hard not to.” 

“That’s an understatement.” Michelle snorted as she took her seat between Joey and Justin on the other side of the table.

“Good to know.” Lance chuckled.

For a while after, everyone just sat and chatted as they perused the menu.  Then, a waiter came to take their orders.  Once the food was delivered the conversation continued between bites of food.  About halfway through the meal Alexis got up and excused herself to the ladies’ room.  Michelle saw this as an opportunity.  However, she needed to be quick and get out what she needed to say before Alexis returned.

“Ok Josh…I know you say you remember EVERYTHING about Lexi, so I’m gonna  PRAY TO GOD that’s true and you have something planned otherwise I’m going to have to kick your ass!”

“Umm…”JC replied confused. 

Michelle gave him a withering look.  “OH MY GOD…Josh…you’re kidding, right?!  JOSH…think about it…what is today?”

JC made a face.  “Saturday.”

Michelle shook her head at his reply and smirked bit.  “Uh huh, and what’s the date?”

Apparently, Michelle was trying to make a point, but what that might be, he had no clue.

“I don’t know…August something…”

“It’s the 19th.” Lance replied, coming to JC’s rescue.

“Which would make Monday what, Josh?” Michelle replied, now glaring at JC.

“The 21st .” JC replied after quickly doing the math in his head.

Michelle couldn’t help but snort a little and shake her head in disbelief.  He still wasn’t getting it.

“Mmm Hmm, Monday, August 21st…and why might that date be significant?”

“Ummm…” JC stuttered.

“UGH! You are such a guy sometimes!  Alright, let me help you out…August 21, 1978 at about 5:30 a.m. Eastern time a baby was born.  That baby’s name is Alexis Danielle Moretti and then 8 minutes and 21 seconds later, her twin; April Denise Moretti was born.  In other words, Monday is their birthday!” Michelle snapped back.

Immediately JC groaned and covered his face with his hand.  “FUCK! You’re right…I forgot! God, I am a terrible boyfriend!  What do I do?”

Michelle smirked.  “Well, for starters, call yourself her boyfriend to her face.  That should earn you a few points at least.”

JC grunted and made face.  “I’m being serious.  What do I do?”

Michelle sighed.  “I’m afraid I can’t be much help.  I have no idea what to do either.  I was trying to convince April to come out…you know…since they are actually speaking to each other but they are both SO busy.  April is getting ready for a fashion show and Alexis is promoting the album.  To be honest, I was hoping you had an idea, but obviously not.”

“Well, what does she want for her birthday?” Joey jumped in.

Michelle giggled a bit. “Hard to say.  Birthdays have always been tricky with my sisters, probably because they had to share the spotlight.  Neither one of them have ever been big on gifts, it was always about the experience and the memories.  My Mom and Dad always went out of their way to make them both feel special on their day.  Me too, but you know what I mean.”

JC nodded as an idea started to form in his head.  One that would take some effort to pull off given the time crunch, but one he hoped would have the right impact.  If Alexis’s birthday was all about making her feel special then he was more than willing to do anything and everything to make that happen.

For April too.  Yes, there was history there, and yes, it still felt awkward between them but Alexis and April were twins and it wasn’t fair to April that Alexis got all the attention on their birthday.

“I think I have an idea but I’m going to need your help, and yours too Justin.” JC said smiling.

“Ok?’ Justin asked raising an eyebrow.

JC grinned and then quickly started to explain.  He knew that Alexis would be back from the Ladies room at any moment.

“Michelle, what’s on your schedule for tomorrow and Monday?”

Michelle looked back at him curiously. “Umm…not much.  I have to finish editing my Capstone proposal and I have some things to do for Alexis’s website but nothing completely time consuming, why?”

“Well, when was the last time you and April hung out?” JC asked, his eyes smiling.

Michelle was beyond intrigued now.  Whatever JC was planning sounded like she was going to be involved.

“Umm…when she was here a few weeks ago.  Why do you ask?” Michelle answered.

JC ignored the question, at least for the moment.  “And before that?”

Michelle screwed up her face in thought.  “Last Christmas, I think.”

JC nodded and grinned.  He was liking his plan more and more.  “Have you ever been to New York?”

Michelle was starting to catch on and her eyes went wide.

“A couple of times, but not in several years.”

JC grinned and looked to Justin.  “Hey man, do you think you could spare your jet for a day?”

Justin nodded. “Yeah, why? What are you planning?”

JC looked back at Michelle and could no longer contain his excitement.  “How would you like to go to New York and spend some time with April? I will arrange for a little “staycation” for the two of you.”

Michelle’s eyes went wide and a huge smile started to tug at her lips.  “There he is …there is the Josh I remember!  That sounds AMAZING but what about Alexis?”

JC chuckled and bit his lip.  “Don’t worry…I got it covered.”

Michelle shook her head and smiled.  “So…let me see if I am following this plan of yours?! You’re going to fly me to New York in Justin’s private jet for a “staycation” with April, meanwhile you’ll be here with Alexis…”

“Having a little romantic staycation of our own.” JC said grinning.

Michelle couldn’t help herself. 

“Romantic huh? Can you even do romantic anymore, because I heard…”

JC gave her a look and then grinned devilishly.  “OH YES! I can do romantic…for the right lady …and your sister is DEFINITELY the right lady!”

Michelle smiled and nodded.  “Glad to hear it! Count me in!”

Alexis returned to the table shortly after and nothing more was said on the topic but JC was in full planning mode now.  He had eight years of birthdays to make up for so there was going to be no skimping on the romance.  He was already going over the details in his mind, and the more he thought about it the more excited he felt.  It had been a really LONG time since he’d put this much effort into romancing a woman but Alexis deserved it and he was excited to show her just how much effort he was willing to put into making her feel special. 

Truthfully, he had a lot of planning to do and not a lot of time so after dinner he returned to his house alone to start working out the details.

He thought that Alexis might protest, insisting that she wanted to spend time with him but much to his pleasant surprise she didn’t argue when he told her that he had some “things” he needed to take care of.  In fact, she didn’t seem upset or put off at all.  She said that was still tired from the video shoot and wanted to just take it easy which meant he had the rest of the evening to work on his plan.

Upon returning home JC made quick work of getting comfortable.  He changed into a pair of track pants and a t-shirt then settled himself at the kitchen counter with his laptop and a beer.  Smiling to himself he powered on his laptop, put on his glasses and popped the top on his beer.  First on his list, getting things settled for April and Michelle’s “staycation” in NYC.

It was then, as he was staring at his computer screen, trying to come up with the perfect hotel that a memory of the past flashed in his brain, and although it saddened him a little to think about it, he knew that it would go a long way towards showing April that he’d moved on and could FINALLY forgive her.

Immediately he picked up his phone and shot off a text to Michelle.

Josh: Hey…correct me if I’m wrong…”Home Alone 2”…is that still April’s favorite Holiday movie?

Michelle: Yeah…I’m surprised you remember that.  Why do you ask?

JC was grinning a mile wide now.

Josh: Have either of you ever stayed at the Plaza?

Michelle nearly spit the out the tea she was drinking.

Michelle: OH MY GOD JOSH! You are NOT serious!

Josh: Pack your bags ‘Chelle…oh and you might want to give April a heads up

Michelle: I could kiss you right now but I’ll let Alexis take care of that

JC chuckled a bit then punched the number of the Plaza Hotel into his phone.  Once the reservation had been made, he shot off a quick text to Justin to reserve the Jet and arrange a flight time for the next morning. 

Now it was time to set his plan for Alexis into motion.  He already had a pretty good idea of what he wanted to do and where he wanted them to stay, he just hoped the room wasn’t already reserved. 

The next time he looked at the clock it was already after midnight.  He’d been working on this plan for several hours now but he wasn’t in the least bit tired.  He was way too excited about his plan and hoped that Alexis would like it too. 

The next morning Alexis and Michelle were up relatively early.  Alexis had gotten a text from JC late the night before telling her to pack a bag for a couple days and when she started to question him as to why he told her to just do it and not ask questions.  He was up to something for sure.  She just didn’t know what.

“You’re up early for a Sunday morning!” Alexis mused aloud as Michelle strolled out into the living room with a duffel bag in her hand.

“No, I’m not.  You just wouldn’t know that because you’re typically still sleeping at this hour.” Michelle shot back.

Alexis laughed. Michelle did have a valid point.

“Ok, true, so then what’s with the bag?”

Michelle grinned. “I’m headed out of town for a couple days”

Alexis raised an eyebrow.  Something was definitely going on.

“Oh yeah, where are you going?”

Michelle didn’t even bat an eye. 

“New York.”

Alexis’s eyes went wide.  “New York?! Since when, and why?”

“Hmm, why could I possibly be going to New York? I wonder!”

Alexis just smirked and rolled her eyes.  “Ok, yeah, you’re going to see April, that’s a given, but why now?”

Michelle grinned at her sister.  It seemed as if Josh wasn’t the only one who had temporarily forgotten what tomorrow was.

“Well…tomorrow is Monday…”

“Yeah, so…it’s Monday…the start of another busy week…why does that matter?”

Michelle couldn’t help but laugh.  “You’re as bad as Josh!  Alexis…do you know what the date is tomorrow?”

“Umm…no…I lost track.” Alexis confessed.

Michelle just laughed more and shook her head.  “Tomorrow is the 21st of August…”

Alexis’s jaw dropped and her eyes went wide.  It was starting to make sense now.

“You’re going to New York to spend OUR birthday with April…”

Michelle grinned back at her sister and nodded.  “Yes…and you’re going on a little romantic getaway with Josh.”

Alexis blushed.  She could not believe that Josh had gone to so much trouble to plan all of this.

“Your trip to New York…Josh planned that too, didn’t he?” Alexis asked as she smiled and bit her lip.

“Yup!”

“WOW!” Alexis breathed out.

“My thoughts exactly!”

Alexis giggled a bit and shook her head.  “Are you staying some place nice or just crashing at April’s apartment?”

“Nope! Josh is putting us up at the Plaza until Tuesday morning, then I fly back.”

“The Plaza?! Did he pick that or did you?”

Alexis couldn’t believe what she was hearing.  The fact that he remembered that tiny detail all these years later made her wonder just what all he had planned for the two of them!

“He did.”

“Wow! Just wow!  I’m a bit jealous but then I’m not.  I think it’s really sweet he’s including April and acknowledging the fact that it isn’t just MY birthday but hers too.”

“Again, my thoughts exactly.”

Alexis nodded.

“Ok, so if he is putting you and April up at the Plaza do you know where he is taking me?”

Michelle smiled and shook her head.  “Not a clue, but if the Plaza is any indication then I have a feeling it’s going to be AMAZING!”

Alexis giggled a bit.  “Guess I better finish packing then.”

“Yeah, that might be wise.  Justin is supposed to be here to pick me up to take me to the airport in a few minutes.  He has some business in New York to take care of so he is flying out with me…on his private jet!”

Alexis laughed at this and held up four fingers.

Michelle just shook her head and smirked.  “I’m not making ANY promises!”

Chapter 25 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

About ten minutes later a car arrived to take Michelle and Justin to the airport, leaving Alexis alone in the condo with her thoughts.  JC hadn’t been very forthcoming with the details but she had a feeling whatever he was planning was going to be much bigger than a day trip to Disneyland.  In fact, the only information she’d been given was to pack for 2 nights away and to bring a bathing suit.

It was as she was sitting at the kitchen counter, sipping on coffee that her phone dinged.  JC was outside waiting for her.

Smiling to herself Alexis took one last sip of her coffee, rinsed the mug quickly and set it in the sink.  Then, she grabbed her rolling carry on bag and started for the door. 

JC was standing outside, leaning up against his black Mercedes convertible.  He was dressed casually in a pair of jeans and a simple, navy blue V neck t-shirt.  His face had just the tiniest bit of scruff and he was smiling.  One hand was shoved in his jeans pocket and the other was holding a cup of Starbucks coffee.  Alexis could only bite her lip and smile.  He was trying to be adorable and it was definitely working.

His smiled turned into a full a grin as she approached.  She was dressed in a pair of jeans as well and a very simple dark green cotton tank top.  It brought out the green and her eyes and he absolutely LOVED it. 

Still grinning he took her bag from her then handed her the cup of coffee and placed the bag in the trunk alongside his own.

“Where are we going?” Alexis asked as she settled herself into the seat next to him.

“It’s a surprise.” JC said grinning.

Alexis sipped her coffee and smiled.  “A surprise?! We’ve discussed this, I am not big on surprises.”

“You’ll like this one.”

Alexis smirked.  “Confident, are we?”

JC just grinned and looked over at her briefly.  “Absolutely.”

Minutes later JC was pulling up to the valet at the Bel-Air hotel.  Alexis nearly choked on her coffee as they pulled through the drive and up to the valet entrance.  Ever since she was a little girl, she’d dreamed of visiting this place.  It was one of the most ICONIC hotels in all of Hollywood, one that had once played host to the likes of Grace Kelly, Frank Sinatra and Marilyn Monroe.  If these walls could talk the stories they would tell, not to mention that this hotel reminded her of her father and all the old movies they’d watched together.  He would definitely be jealous right about now.

“We are staying here?” Alexis gasped as the Valet opened her door.

JC grinned and nodded.  The shock on her face was just the reaction he’d been hoping for.

“We are, for two nights.”

Alexis just shook her head and smiled.  “So…let me get this straight for OUR birthday you arranged for April and Michelle to stay at the Plaza hotel, the hotel of April’s childhood dreams AND for you and I to stay here, the hotel I dreamed of as a child?!”

“Yup!”

“How did you know?” Alexis asked as the valet retrieved their bags.

“How did I know what?” JC replied.

“That I’ve always wanted to stay here.”

JC grinned more.  “High Society.”

Alexis made a face.  “Excuse me?!”

“High Society” the movie with Grace Kelly, Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby.  You made me watch it with you once.  April was at Cheer practice or something, I came over to hang out and you were sitting on the couch, eating popcorn.  You begged me to watch it with you.  I made a fuss about it, gave you a bad time but truthfully, I wanted to see it just as badly as you did.  Frank Sinatra AND Bing Crosby…how could it be bad?!  After you told me that Grace Kelly had stayed at the Hotel Bel Air the night that she won the Academy Award and that someday you hoped you could stay here.”

Alexis’s jaw was on the ground.  She could not believe that he remembered that, but more importantly she couldn’t believe that he’d gone out of his way to make her dream a reality.  However, it was what he said next that made her warm and tingly all over.

“Today is someday Lexi! Happy Birthday!”

“I could kiss you right now!” Alexis giggled happily.

JC chuckled.  “Save that for once we are in our suite.”

“A suite?! You booked us a suite?”

Apparently, “player JC” wasn’t on this trip, because all she could see was sweet, charming, romantic and sexy Josh in front of her.

“You bet I did!  I tried to get the Grace Kelly suite because, well, how could I not, but it was booked.  We are staying in the Stone Canyon suite.”

Alexis could only shake her head in disbelief.  “Wait?! The suites have names?!”

JC chucked.  “Apparently.  Like I said, I tried to get the Grace Kelly suite but it was booked so I went with the one that looked the best on the website.”

“Well ok then.” Alexis giggled.

JC smiled as he took her hand and led her into the hotel lobby.  It wasn’t too busy for a Sunday morning but he was still acutely aware of their surroundings.  This was Hollywood and therefore, you could never be too careful.  Especially if you were a Pop superstar checking in for a romantic getaway with your pop and R& B star girlfriend.

Check in was relatively quick and painless and soon they were walking down a path, through a maze of palm trees and other lush greenery towards their private and very secluded suite.

“Is that a lake?” Alexis asked motioning to a body of water peeking through the trees.

JC smiled and nodded.  “It is.  I am pretty sure it’s man made.  They call it the Swan lake because there are actual swans that live on it.”

“You’re kidding?!”

JC chuckled.  “Nope.  You can learn a lot from the hotel website.”

“I guess so.”

Alexis waited with baited breath as JC placed the card key in the door.  She didn’t know quite what to expect but she knew that whatever waited on the other side of the door would be nothing short of AMAZING. 

Truthfully, nothing could have prepared her for what she saw as she and Josh stepped over the threshold and into the suite.  It was quite possibly one of the most beautiful and elegant hotel rooms she’d ever seen in her life. 

“Wow!  Josh, this is…” Alexis breathed out.

Limestone floors, wood ceilings, a gorgeous living room area with a wood burning fireplace. The bedroom had a king size bed with Egyptian cotton sheets, a huge television that rose up from inside the dresser at the end of the bed and big French doors that opened to a private patio.  The patio featured a small dining area, a private jacuzzi and a 2nd wood burning fireplace. 

“Do you like it?” Josh asked hopefully.

Alexis bit her lip and nodded.  It was definitely romantic.

“I LOVE it! This is GORGEOUS!”

Grinning JC pulled her into him, wrapped his arms around her waist and rested his forehead against hers.

“Now…about that kiss?” He teased.

Alexis smiled and nodded then placed her lips over his.  It was a slow, soft kiss, the kind that made you just want to melt and when he pulled away Alexis couldn’t help but smile.

“You are too good to me Josh!  This is AMAZING and just what I needed!”

JC smiled and placed another pop kiss on her lips.  “Too good for you?! Never! I have a lot of missed birthdays to make up for.”

Alexis pulled back a bit and looked up at him.  The look in his eyes was sincere.  He’d meant every word and it made her heart melt for him just a little bit more.

“Ok, so what now? What else do you have planned?” Alexis asked a bit nervously.

JC smiled.  “Well, are you hungry?”

Alexis giggled a bit and nodded.  “I could eat.”

JC couldn’t help but grin.  “Do you know what I love about you?”

Alexis made a face.  “The fact that I am so stubborn and opinionated.”

JC laughed out loud at her response.  “Surprisingly, yes, that too, but that wasn’t what I was getting at.  What I was going to say is that I love that you aren’t one of those girls who is afraid to eat in front of me, or pretends that she doesn’t eat much.  You can eat!”

Alexis smirked and shook her head a bit.  “Josh, I’m Italian! It’s in our DNA, plus, have you met me? I’m a Moretti! We Moretti girls can eat.”

“I know!’ JC laughed.

“Michelle is the worst.  I swear that girl eats like she is a teenage boy going through puberty.”

JC chuckled and shook his head then took Alexis’s hand in his again and started to lead her back towards the entrance to the suite.

“Where are we going?” Alexis asked as she followed him.

“You’ll see.” JC said grinning.

“Another surprise?” Alexis asked as they exited the suite.

“Mmm Hmm.” JC answered squeezing her hand gently.

Alexis was in awe as they walked along the path hand in hand.  It didn’t even feel like they were in LA anymore.  It felt like they were in some sort of tropical paradise.  The air smelled of tropical flowers and there were birds chirping in the trees.  It was heavenly!  Then, just as she was about to open her mouth to speak, they stepped into a clearing near the lake and there on the grass near the water was a picnic lunch waiting for them. 

This, however, wasn’t your typical picnic lunch.  Even from a few feet away Alexis could tell that much.  A large blanket had been set up next to the water’s edge, with just a few flowering shrubs separating them from the water and the swans swimming on the other side.  On the blanket, a picnic basket with all the plates and cutlery they could possibly need as well as an amazing spread of food.  Next to the basket a bottle of wine, two wine glasses and two dining trays.  Then, to top it off several large, plush pillows. 

“Wow! Just WOW!”

JC chuckled a bit and nodded.  “I’m impressed!  I was thinking a picnic, ok, that sounds fun but this is some next level shit!”

“Right?!” Alexis giggled.

Once they were settled on the blanket JC uncorked the wine and poured each of them a glass.

“It’s so pretty out here…and peaceful.” Alexis sighed as she nibbled on some cheese.

JC nodded.  “It is! I’m really glad I picked this hotel.”

Alexis blushed.  “I still can’t believe you remembered that.  I know I didn’t.”

This time it was JC that blushed.  “Well, to be honest, I didn’t at first.  I remembered April’s deal about wanting to stay at the Plaza.  I swear we watched “Home Alone 2” at least a hundred times, so I booked that right away.  Then, I started to think about where you might want to stay, and all of your favorite movies and that’s when I remembered what you’d said about Grace Kelly and the Bel-Air Hotel.”

Alexis was in awe.  He’d said a few times since re-connecting that he remembered everything about her but she’d never really taken him seriously, until now. 

“You remember what my favorite movie is?” Alexis asked, her eyes wide with wonder.

JC grinned and took a sip of his wine.  “I do!  If we are talking just movies, your favorite is “Singing In the Rain” but if we are talking Holiday movies your favorite is “White Christmas.” You are a classics girl, which is yet another thing I absolutely love about you.”

“Another thing?! Do you mean there is more than one thing you love about me?” Alexis asked, her tone playful and her eyes glinting.

JC grinned.  He set his wine glass down on the tray, then carefully crawled across the blanket until he was right in front of her.  In fact, he was almost on top of her.  He dropped his voice a bit, lowering it to whisper then pushed her back gently so she was lying on the pillows.  His eyes scanned the perimeter briefly.  There was NO ONE around.  They were completely secluded from the rest of the hotel guests. 

“Mmm…YES! There are SO MANY things I love about you!” He whispered kissing her neck gently.

“Oh really?! Like what?” Alexis giggled softly.

JC chuckled and the sound of his voice in her ear mixed with feeling of the rumble of his laughter in his chest as he pressed his body up against her sent shockwaves coursing through her body. 

“Mmm! I LOVE the way your lips taste!” He said pulling her lips into his mouth and kissing her softly.

However, he was far from finished listing off the things he loved about her.

“I also LOVE how soft your skin is, and the way your body feels against mine.” He whispered as he pressed himself against her just a bit more and ran his hand up her shirt, gently trailing his fingertips against her skin.

Alexis moaned softly against his lips causing him to grin against hers.

“MMM! And, I LOVE the way your voice sounds, especially when you say my name!”

“Josh.” She whispered.

“MMM HMM, just like that Pretty lady!”

Alexis could feel him getting excited.  The way he was pressed up against her, perfectly positioned between her legs left nothing to the imagination.  Then again, her body was responding to him as well.  Her heart had started to pound in her chest and a warm, tingly sensation was starting to spread throughout her, starting at her panties. 

“I see…umm…well…I’m flattered, truly, but I’m still a little hungry so how about we finish lunch and then go back to the room to continue this discussion a bit more privately.” Alexis managed to get out.

JC chuckled again, nodded, then popped a kiss on her forehead and sat up.

“Sounds perfect!  Yes, you should eat, you’re going to need your strength Pretty lady.”

Alexis sat up and immediately reached for one of the sandwiches; Buratta and prosciutto, garlic aioli, arugula and heirloom tomatoes on a toasted baguette.  It was delicious!

Meanwhile, JC had selected the Grilled shrimp BLT with herb aioli on a house made ciabatta roll. 

“Oh WOW! Yeah, this was definitely needed! This is SO GOOD! “JC groaned happily between bites.

Alexis giggled at his response as she watched him close his eyes and take another bite.  “Yes! Eat up Sir!  I’m not the only one who is going to need their strength later.”

“Is that right?” JC laughed.

“You better believe it.” Alexis said, her lips curved into a mischievous smile.

“Bring it Pretty Lady! You won’t hear me complain!”

Alexis laughed and shook her head.  “Don’t you worry, I will!”

Surprisingly, they were both hungrier than either of them realized because after eating the sandwiches they made quick work of polishing off the rest of the charcuterie board, the Mediterranean Mezze platter and several of the pastries.

“OH MY GOD! I am SO full but that was DELICIOUS!” Alexis sighed, leaning back a bit as she sipped on the last of her wine.

“That was good! Really good!  I wasn’t expecting it to be that good AT ALL!” JC agreed.

So far, this little romantic getaway was off to an INCREDIBLE start.

“Should we head back to the room now?” JC asked as he started to stand.

Alexis nodded and accepted his outstretched hand when he offered it to her to help her up.  Once she was standing, he popped a brief kiss on her lips then began leading her back towards their room.

“What does the birthday girl want to do now? Would you like to hop in the jacuzzi? Curl up here on the couch and watch a movie? Go for a walk?” JC asked as he pulled her into him, wrapping his arms around her waist and looking down into her deep green eyes.

Alexis sighed and smiled.  He was just being too cute for words right then. 

“Hmm…well, technically it isn’t my birthday yet, it’s tomorrow so what do you want to do?” Alexis replied.

JC smiled and popped a kiss on her nose.  “Today, tomorrow, it doesn’t matter, this little “staycation” is all about celebrating you! As I said, I have quite a few missed birthdays to make up for.”

Alexis blushed a bit and nodded.  “Well, I have to say, you’re off to a good start.”

JC chuckled.  “Glad to hear it, now, what would you like to do?”

Alexis grinned and bit her lip as she looked around the suite.  At the moment they were standing in the living room area but the doors to the patio and the bedroom were both open and in plain view.  She was weighing her options.  All of it sounded wonderful.

“Hmm…how about the Jacuzzi and then maybe a walk.  This place is too beautiful to stay cooped up in the room the whole time.” Alexis replied.

JC smiled and nodded then dropped yet another kiss on her lips.

“Sounds perfect! Why don’t you go get changed into your bathing suit and I’ll order us another bottle of wine.”

Alexis nodded then retreated to the bedroom where their bags were waiting for them, on the floor, at the end of the bed.  Alexis pulled hers up and placed it on the end of the bed then unzipped it and grabbed her bathing suit from the top of the pile of clothes.

It was a simple black bikini, but still feminine and flirty in a subtle way.  The top had two thick black straps that came down so that the fabric just covered the necessary parts of her breasts before clasping shut at the front, right at her sternum.  The bottoms were the same black, spandex material but instead of being one solid piece of material, there were satin ties that tied together at her hips. 

With her bathing suit now on Alexis quickly tucked her dirty clothes into a laundry bag and placed the bag inside her suitcase.  Then, she grabbed her sunscreen and sunglasses and started towards the bathroom so she could apply sunscreen to her face and neck.

However, as soon as her bare feet hit the bathroom floor, she squealed in shock sending JC running to her rescue.

His eyes were focused on her face so he hadn’t noticed the bikini…yet.

“Are you ok?”

Alexis giggled and nodded.  “The floor….”

“What about it?” He asked looking to the floor.

“It’s heated!” Alexis giggled more.

JC chuckled a bit and shook his head.  “Are you sure?  I’ve been in bed with you before, your feet are always cold.”

Alexis placed her hands on her hips and made a face.

“Try it.” Alexis smirked.

Shaking his head a bit, JC removed his tennis shoes and socks and stepped onto the limestone floor as his eyes went wide.  Alexis was telling the truth, the floors were in fact, heated.

“Oh wow! That’s different!  I’ve never been anywhere that had heated floors in the bathroom before but I’m not mad at it.”

“Me either!” Alexis giggled.

It was then that JC finally noticed Alexis’s bikini.

“DAMN! I’m not mad about that bikini either! You look…MMM…Delicious!”

“Delicious?! We just ate?!” Alexis teased back.

She could see the way his breathing had quickened a bit and the way he filled out the crotch of his pants a bit more, and the way he was looking at her like he wanted to devour her definitely made her own heart beat a little faster.

“MMM…always save room for dessert, that’s my rule.” JC replied licking his lips suggestively.

Alexis laughed and made a face as she shook her head, pretending to be annoyed with him.

“Ok Smart Ass, why don’t you finish getting the wine ready and let me finish in here.  Then we can trade places and I’ll meet you in the Jacuzzi in five minutes.”

“Make it 3.” JC smirked.

“Deal!”

Three minutes later Alexis was in the Jacuzzi with a glass of wine beside her.  The cover from the palm trees above created enough shade that she didn’t need her sunglasses so they were folded neatly next to her wine glass.  Her hair was pulled back in a messy bun and the warm breeze tickled her neck as the jacuzzi water bubbled around her.  It felt like HEAVEN!

Alexis had just raised her glass to her lips when JC stepped out onto the patio.  He had his own glass of wine in one hand and two very plush, soft looking towels in the other.  His well toned shoulders, arms and abdominal muscles were fully exposed leaving nothing to the imagination and he was wearing a pair of royal blue swim trunks that made his eyes seem even bluer.  Alexis had to fight not to choke on her wine as he set the towels on a chair and stepped into the jacuzzi.  Dessert indeed!

“This is nice!” JC said quietly as he settled himself on the ledge inside the jacuzzi across from her.

“Mmm hmm! Not too hot, not too cold.  Just right.” Alexis replied.

JC grinned then took a sip of his wine before speaking.  “Oh! I would say it’s a bit HOTT in here, but it has nothing to do with the water temperature.”

Alexis couldn’t help but blush and giggle.  “You think so?”

JC took another quick sip of his wine then placed his glass down on the outside ledge and crossed the tub in one step.  Without saying a word, he took her wine glass from her, set it down then pushed her knees apart and stepped between them.  He took a breath, held it then sunk down into the water completely, the water covering his head.  When he came back up, he opened his eyes to see Alexis smiling at him and shaking her head. 

Without any explanation or warning his mouth came crashing down over hers and his wet lips began to slide easily against her.  Alexis moaned with pleasure as he gently applied pressure, basically asking her lips to part. When she finally parted them, his tongue slid easily into her mouth as his hands went to her

 

 

hair.  He pulled the bun free allowing her hair to cascade down around her shoulders then his hands traveled south until they reached the clasp on her top.  With one gentle flick of his wrist the top opened exposing both of her breasts to the water, air and his hands.  He teased her with his hands for a bit as he gently pulled at her lips with his teeth.

Alexis groaned against him and he grinned.

“OH!”

“It’s just us! There is no one around to hear you, so you can be as loud as you want Pretty lady.  In fact, I encourage it! ” JC whispered as he trailed his mouth along her jaw to her neck.

For a long time, he kissed and nibbled at her neck with his teeth while his hands continued to tease and caress her breasts.  Alexis was powerless to speak beyond little gasps and whimpers every so often and the sensation of the warm water bubbling around her mixed with his touches was making her feel light headed but she wasn’t complaining and she most definitely didn’t want him to stop. 

However, just as she was thinking about how she wanted him to continue for as long as possible he paused, but it was a very brief pause.  With her sitting on the ledge that was just inside the jacuzzi her breasts were just above the water, giving JC easy access.  Smiling to himself, JC began to trail kisses down her neck until he reached the swell of her breasts.  He closed his mouth over one, tugging at her nipple with his lips and Alexis felt a bolt of electricity shoot through her as she arched her back to meet him.

“OH GOD!” She gasped.

“Just wait!” He teased, before tracing lazy circles around her nipple with his tongue.

Then with one hand, he began to tease her other breast while his free hand trailed down under the water and to the ties of her bikini.  Quickly, he untied one side and then the other before pushing her bikini bottom out of the way completely.  She was basically naked in the jacuzzi but she wasn’t complaining.  Then, with his fingers on his free hand he slipped them between her legs and inside of her.  Like the hand teasing her breast he began to tease inside of her, moving his fingers in a circular pattern for a bit and then rubbing gently.

Her head fell back a bit as Alexis bucked against his hand and a scream escaped her lips.

“JOSH!”

That warm, tingly feeling started to swell inside of her as her body began to tremble against him and he couldn’t help but smile with satisfaction at her reaction to him. 

“Are you ready Pretty lady?” He asked, his voice low and thick.

Alexis bit her lip and nodded as she gripped the edge of the jacuzzi. 

“Please!” She whimpered.

JC chuckled a bit and nodded as he pulled his hand from between her legs then used it to push his swim trunks down before stepping out of them.  Now they were both naked but he wasn’t mad at it one bit.

With his swim trunks and her bikini bottoms now floating in the water behind him JC grabbed at Alexis’s hips and pulled her towards him as he pushed himself inside of her. 

Alexis moaned and arched her back as she felt him fill her up completely.  JC grunted as he felt himself harden just a bit more inside of her. 

“GOD you feel good Lexi!” JC moaned as his head fell back a bit too.

In the next moment JC pulled back a bit before thrusting back inside of her.  His fingers digging into her hips as he thrust into her again and again.  Soon, the only sound she could hear amidst her occasional whimpers was the sound of the water slapping between them as he continually thrust into her. 

“OH GOD JOSH! I’m…”She screamed but her words fell short.

She couldn’t finish the sentence because in the next moment she felt her body start to tremble uncontrollably and the warmth she felt inside of her began to envelop her completely, from her head to her toes. 

JC felt it too.  As soon as she started to speak, he felt his own body begin to quake along with a rush inside of him.

“LEXI!” He groaned as his eyes rolled back and he let go.

JC fell forward on top of her, using his hands to catch the ledge on either side of her head so he wouldn’t crush her.

For a long time, they just stayed there, bodies still connected as they allowed their hearts to return to a steady rhythm and the shaking to subside.

“Should we get out? Rinse off? Go for that walk?” JC asked as he straightened himself to stand.

Alexis sighed happily and nodded.  “That sounds wonderful.”

JC climbed out of jacuzzi first, grabbing his swim trunks on the way out and the moment the warm California air hit his wet skin he shivered a bit causing Alexis to giggle.

“JOSH!” She squealed as she got a clear view of his backside.

Even his ass was well toned.

“You weren’t complaining a moment ago.” He chuckled as he grabbed a towel and tied it around his waist.

Then, he grabbed the second towel and unwrapped it, holding it out for her as she climbed out of the jacuzzi.  Grinning he wrapped the towel around her and ran his hands up and down to warm her.

Rather than get ahead of himself JC decided to let Alexis get in the shower first.  The idea of getting in the shower with her ranked high on his list but they still had another full day and night at the hotel so he didn’t want to rush things.  There would be plenty of time for a shower together later.

After her shower Alexis stepped into the bedroom, her body wrapped in a towel, another on top of her head.  From her suitcase she pulled a pale purple sundress that came off her shoulders.  It was light and flowy.  Perfect for a warm evening stroll.

As soon as JC finished in the shower, he shimmied into a pair of khaki cargo shorts and a short sleeve, button down in a royal shade of blue. 

Alexis sucked in a breath when he stepped into the bedroom.  He looked HOTT as hell and it didn’t help that she was still reeling from the passionate sex she had just encountered in the jacuzzi tub.

“There must be a rule about that somewhere.” Alexis teased.

“A rule about what?” JC asked, his eyebrows raised at her.

“Looking THAT good!  You OOZE sex appeal! It’s INFURIATING yet still a turn on!”

JC grinned. “I turn you on?”

Alexis made a face.  “Did I not make that clear a little bit ago?”

“Touche.” JC laughed.

Then he got a bit more serious.

“Lexi, just for the record…if we are talking about sex appeal, I find you SEXY as HELL!”

Alexis blushed and nodded.  “Yeah, I kinda picked up on that.”

JC chuckled then took her hand in his and started for the door.  For at least an hour, maybe longer they wandered the grounds of the hotel.  There were paved walkways and trails throughout the grounds that wrapped around the lake, went over bridges and meandered through the lush greenery that decorated the entire plot.  It was like walking through paradise.

After the walk they returned to the hotel room to find a California market inspired four course tasting menu waiting for them on the private patio.

“OH WOW!” Alexis sighed.

The sun was setting, painting the sky in warm hues of pink, orange and gold.  It was the perfect romantic setting.

“Joshua Scott Chasez, you have seriously outdone yourself.  This is AMAZING!” Alexis whispered.

“Nothing but the best for you Pretty lady!” He said smiling.

After dinner they settled themselves on the couch, in front of the wood fireplace on the patio and snuggled up together.  Alexis kicked off her sandals and pulled her legs up onto the couch, tucking them beneath her.  Then, she rested her head on JC’s chest as he draped an arm around her shoulders and pulled her close.

For a while, they just sat there in silence, sipping on wine and listening to each other breathe as they watched the sun slowly disappear and the stars come out.

“Are you comfortable?’ JC asked as he started to draw lazy patterns on her bare shoulders with his fingers.

Alexis sighed and snuggled into him a bit more.  “Very! This is PERFECT!  I don’t think I could have ever dreamed of a more romantic getaway.”

JC grinned happily.  “Well, that was the idea.”

Alexis giggled.  “Mission accomplished!  I seriously doubt that you, or anyone else, will EVER be able to top this.”

“Is that a challenge?” JC smirked.

“Maybe.” Alexis laughed.

“Challenge accepted.” JC teased before placing a kiss on top of her head.

They finished their wine in front of the outdoor fireplace, snuggled up under the stars with nothing but the sound of the gentle breeze through the trees and their heartbeats whispering in their ears. 

“Why don’t we go get comfortable?” JC suggested after a long silence.

“I am comfortable.” Alexis replied sighing with content.

JC smiled then placed a kiss on her temple before whispering in her ear.  “I meant in the bedroom.  There may or not be another surprise waiting for you in there.”

Alexis looked up at him and smiled.  “Mmm…it sounds wonderful, but I don’t think I can move.”

JC didn’t hesitate.  As soon as the words left her lips he stood up, bent over and swooped her up into his arms.  Immediately, he wrapped her legs around his waist and then kissed her hard on the mouth, kissing her all the way to the bedroom.  Once in the bedroom he tossed her down gently on to the bed, sending the rose petals that had been sprinkled over the bedcovers leaping into the air.

Alexis giggled and her eyes widened as she surveyed her surroundings.  The lights were down low, and there were rose petals all around her on the bed.  Next to the bed, on a room service cart, a chilled bottle of Dom Perignon champagne and a plate of chocolate covered strawberries.

“Ok, there is NO WAY you could have known that chocolate covered strawberries are my FAVORITE!” Alexis squealed with delight.

JC chuckled and nodded.  “You’re right, I didn’t but Michelle did!”

“Nicely done Sir!”

“Why, thank you!” JC said before pushing the cart up next to the bed.

With the cart next to the bed JC uncorked the champagne and poured them each a glass then settled himself onto the bed next to her.

Alexis took a sip from her glass then giggled as he took a strawberry from the plate and held it to her lips.

“You’re going to feed me chocolate strawberries?” Alexis laughed.

“You tell me.” JC replied grinning.

Alexis giggled and nodded.  After about three strawberries Alexis motioned for him to stop.  She was beyond full.

JC returned the plate to the cart then swallowed the last of the champagne in his glass quickly.   With the glass now on the tray JC began to occupy himself with the buttons on his shirt.  He was on the second button when a pair of smaller, more gentle hands reached up to help him. 

Smiling up at him, Alexis slowly and carefully undid the last few buttons, then pushed his shirt off his shoulders so that it fell down his arms and onto the floor.  Then, without so much as a whisper Alexis reached down to the hem of her dress and pulled it up and over her head leaving her in just a pair of lace panties.

“MMM!  I like it!” JC said grinning.

“Well, I would hope so!” Alexis smirked.

JC took that as his cue.  In the blink of an eye his shorts were off and he was stretching himself out on top of her as the rose petals fluttered around him.

His mouth immediately went to her neck as he started to place soft kisses behind her ear.  She giggled as the stubble on his face tickled her but she made no move to stop him.  After a bit of kissing and nibbling on her ear his lips started their journey downwards.  He trailed soft kisses all over her skin as he slowly moved towards the top of her panties.  As soon as his lips hit just below her belly button he stopped, lifted her hips with one hand and then slowly pulled her panties off with the other.  With her panties now gone he had full access to her entire body. 

He looked up at her, grinned, winked, then pushed her knees apart and dropped his head so that his lips were hovering above her. 

Alexis took a breath, bit her lip and nodded as she felt his tongue slide into her. 

Immediately, Alexis moaned and arched her back as his tongue started to draw circles inside of her.  For what seemed like a blissful eternity JC continued to make circles and flick his tongue inside of her until her body was shaking.

A muffled scream escaped her as he shifted and thrust himself inside of her instead of just his tongue.

His hands began to roam her body as hers went to his back, clawing at him and digging into his hips.

Alexis bent her knees, placing her feet on either side of him. 

Grinning to himself JC linked his arms underneath her legs, placing her knees in the crook of his elbows and lifting her hips and butt off the bed slightly.  Alexis reached behind her and grabbed the top of the mattress to help both of them balance.

Now he was on his knees, holding her hips in the air as she gripped the bed and allowed her eyes to flutter closed.

His thrusts were slow and steady, creating a gentle rise and fall of her hips as he pushed and pulled inside of her.  He kept the rhythm going until he felt her body start to tremor beneath him. 

“Lexi?!” He asked as he felt his own climax start to build.

Alexis nodded but didn’t speak.

“I LOVE YOU!” He said before allowing himself to release.

Alexis smiled and nodded.  “I love you too Josh!”

Within a few minutes they were asleep in each other’s arms.  It was the end of the PERFECT day!

Chapter 26 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

Alexis woke up the next morning with a smile on her face.  She was enjoying a truly delicious dream in which her best friend turned boyfriend had whisked her away for a romantic stay at a hotel, just the two of them.  Alexis sighed softly and rolled over.  Josh was looking back at her, his blue eyes swimming.  Then she remembered, it wasn’t just a dream.

“Good morning Pretty lady! Sleep well?” He said, his voice low.

“Mmm! Yes! This bed is SOOOO comfortable!” Alexis groaned.

JC smiled, then reached out and pulled her to him.  “Mmm Hmm! A guy could get used to this.”

Alexis giggled slightly as he started to pop quick, soft kisses on her lips.  “Used to what?”

JC grinned. “Waking up to you in my bed every morning.”

Alexis cocked an eyebrow and made a face.  “Oh really?!”

JC smiled and popped another kiss on her lips.  “Something wrong with that?”

Alexis pulled back a little.  “No, I just…”

Whether or not she wanted to admit it, Alexis was still being cautious.  She was happy, everything was falling into place, and now she was waiting for the other shoe to drop.

JC bit his lip and grinned.  “I know what you’re thinking Lexi.  You’re thinking it’s only been a couple of months, and so far, things between us have been pretty casual but I made you a promise.  I said that if I thought there was even a chance you could trust me again, that you could feel a certain way, that I would ditch the “Playboy” routine and well…you did say “I love you.”

Alexis blushed a bit and nodded.  “I did! It just sorta slipped out.”

JC chuckled.  “You meant it though, right?”

Alexis nodded.

“I meant it too.  I love you!  I always have! I just didn’t realize how much until I screwed it up, until I started to miss you!”

Alexis stayed quiet.

“I’ve thought about it, Lexi. I’ve thought about my future and what it looks like, and who I want to wake up next to every morning and share all my sunsets with.”

Alexis’s eyes were wide now.  She didn’t know how to respond and she most definitely hadn’t expected anything like this to come out of his mouth. 

He couldn’t help but grin at her reaction. 

“No, I’m not asking you to marry me, not today anyway, but I’m also not going to lie to you and say I haven’t thought about it.  I have thought about it, Lexi and I think you should too.”

Alexis just blushed and bit her lip.  “Ok.”

JC grinned.  “Ok. Now, how about some breakfast?”

Alexis giggled and nodded. “Yes, please!”

“Hungry?” JC chuckled.

“Starving!” Alexis replied.

JC grinned more.  “I guess it’s a good thing I ordered Room Service then!  Food should be here in a few minutes.”

True to his statement, Room Service arrived just a few minutes later.  JC jumped out of bed and Alexis couldn’t help but blush and shake her head at the sight of him standing naked in front of her.  Quickly, he shimmied into a pair of pajama pants and a t-shirt and shuffled to the door. 

“What did you order?” Alexis asked as she sat up in bed, the sheets still covering her.

JC just smiled as he pushed the cart up to the bed and set a tray in front of her.  He lifted the cover and then stood back and waited for her reaction.

Immediately, a huge grin spread across her lips and she giggled a bit and shook her head.  Underneath the cloche, on the plate in front of her were waffles, a bowl of yogurt and granola, sliced Polska Kielbasa sausage and some sort of fancy coffee drink with a leaf pattern in the foam.

“You really do remember all my favorites, don’t you?” Alexis giggled.

“Yes ma’am.” He replied with a wink.

Moments later he was settled on the bed beside her with his own tray in front of him. 

“Wow!” Alexis breathed out after taking a sip of her coffee.

“Good?” JC asked, raising an eyebrow.

Alexis closed her eyes, took another sip of her coffee and nodded.  “SOOO GOOD! Normally, I am skeptical of hotel coffee but this is heaven in a cup!”

“Do you want more?” JC asked chuckling.

Alexis took another sip and sighed.  “No, this is perfect.”

“Are you sure? It’s officially your birthday! That means you can have ANYTHING you want!”

“Anything?!” Alexis teased.

“ANYTHING Pretty Lady! Just ask and it’s yours!”

Alexis brought the cup up to her lips again and smiled.  “What if I already got everything I could ever want?”

JC looked over at her and felt his heart flutter just a little.  Her dark brown hair cascaded around her shoulders in messy waves, her green eyes were bright, her lips were full and her skin seemed to glow in the morning sun.  He set his cup of coffee down, then moved both trays aside and turned to face her.  Smiling softly, he reached out to touch her face, then gently lifted her chin with his hand.

 

“Are you sure about that?” He asked, his voice just a whisper.

“Sure about what?” Alexis asked as she swallowed the lump in her throat.

“That you have everything you could ever want?” He asked bravely.

Truthfully, his feelings scared him a bit.  He’d NEVER felt this strongly about a woman.  Not April, not Nikki, not Kate, not Tara, not Bobbi.  None of them.  April had been the first and the last to truly break his heart.  After April, he’d sworn he’d NEVER allow himself to feel that deeply about a woman again. In fact, every time he started to feel a certain way about a girl or had the feeling that she was getting too attached he would sabotage the relationship. Never let a woman get that close to you.  Never let her see how you truly feel.  Love them and leave them.  That had been his rule for the past few years.  Now here was Alexis flipping his world upside down. 

When she wasn’t around, every part of him ached.  His body, his soul, his brain.  All of it.  He NEEDED her, more than he wanted to admit, but he didn’t think he could stand the possibility that she didn’t feel the same.

Alexis’s eyes widened.  She didn’t know what had changed in him but something had definitely changed.  She could see it in the way he looked at her.  From the very beginning he’d always been playful with her, even sarcastic sometimes but this sweet, sincere and completely vulnerable side of him was new territory.  Not that she hadn’t seen it before.  She had.  Just never directed completely at her.

“What do you mean?” She whispered.

He scooted closer.  Their foreheads were touching now and his warm breath on her face was starting to give her goosebumps. 

“I think you know.” He whispered back, his mouth hovering over hers.

Alexis bit her lip and shook her head. 

“I don’t.” She replied, her voice shaking.

JC smiled against her lips.  “Yes, you do Lexi.”

Alexis felt her emotions start to bubble inside of her.  She was still holding back, afraid of getting her heart broken again.  Afraid that he would leave her again.  That was what he did.  He left.  According to Michelle he’d wormed his way out of every relationship since April.  She refused to be another casualty.

Alexis shook her head again, terrified to put a voice behind the emotions swirling inside of her.

“I love you Lexi!  I always have. I always will.  I was stupid to ever walk away from you.  You’re the one I want to wake up next to every morning, the one I want to watch every sunset with.  It’s YOU! You’re the one for me, and I will surrender my “player” card if you’ll have me.”

“Josh…don’t…” Alexis replied, her lips trembling.

JC sighed then kissed her lips ever so lightly.  “It’s ok, I get it, you’re scared.  You’re afraid I’ll leave again, that I’ll break your heart but I think turning 30 made me realize I’m not a kid anymore.  I’m a man and I need to start acting like one.  I want to be the man you deserve, the one that you fell in love with.”

“Josh…” Her eyes were brimming with tears now.

He smiled and then allowed his mouth to close over hers.  Kissing her softly, then pulling away briefly, just long enough to say what he’d been wanting to say all along.

“I’m yours Lexi, all of me, for as long as you’ll have me.”

Alexis whimpered softly as the tears started to fall.  JC smiled then pushed her back on the bed, pulling the sheets down leaving her completely naked and exposed.  He popped a kiss on her forehead, then pulled his shirt over his head and climbed on top of her.

Her eyes fluttered closed as he kissed her tears away and then stretched out on top of her.

“Shh! Don’t cry Pretty lady!  I never want to make you cry …not ever again.” He whispered before burying his face in her neck.

“Josh…” She whimpered quietly.

“Shh! It’s ok! Take all the time you need Pretty lady.  I’m not going anywhere!”

She nodded then gasped as he started to place very soft kisses on her neck.  He kissed at her neck for a long time before moving to her jaw and her lips.  Once at her lips he applied a bit more pressure, pushing her lips apart then finding her tongue easily.  He kissed her slowly for a long time then moved to her chin and throat.  However, when he moved to the spot between her breasts, she let out a ragged breath and then a moan as his lips closed over her right breast.  Her back arched involuntarily as gently tugged at her breast with his lips.  He gave both of her breasts equal attention and care before trailing downward to her stomach.  Her breathing had quickened and her back continued to arch up to meet his lips as he trailed soft, sensual kisses over every inch of her skin. 

“Lexi, I love you!” He whispered before sliding himself inside of her.

Yet again, her back arched to meet him and quiet moan escaped her lips.

“OH!”

He could feel her tensing up a bit and truthfully, it made him smile a little.  He knew she was still holding back, still protecting her heart, still afraid to let him in completely.  He was determined to change that.

“Relax! It’s your birthday Pretty lady! Today is all about you! I want you to enjoy this!”

Alexis allowed her eyes to flutter open.  He was looking down at her like she was the most precious thing in the world.

“Relax! Please! I won’t hurt you!” He said smiling.

Alexis made a face.

“Trust me! Please!  Remember, I said I had eight years of birthdays to make up for, THIS is part of that.”

Alexis bit her lip and nodded as JC pulled back slowly, then filled her up again.  His thrusts were slow and gentle, filling her up each time and with every thrust it felt as if he swelled inside of her a bit more.  Soon, he found a slow, steady rhythm that had her lifting her hips to meet him each time.  Her breathing had quickened and her hands were grabbing at hips giving him the leverage he needed to keep his rhythm going.

“Say my name.” He growled, his voice gravely and low.

“Josh!’ She whispered.

“Say it again.” He replied.

“JOSH!” She whimpered as she felt her body began to quake.

“You first Pretty lady!” He groaned.

Alexis shook her head fitfully.

“Together.” She replied, her voice catching in her throat.

He moaned and quickened his thrusts just a little.  “NO! THIS is all for you Pretty lady, I NEED you to go first. I NEED you feel what I am willing to do for you!”

“Josh…” she protested, her voice a whisper.

“LEXI! PLEASE!” He said before burying his face in her neck so that his lips were against her ear.

“Josh, I …” she stuttered again.

“Shh!  Don’t speak, don’t try to rationalize, just FEEL…PLEASE!” He whispered.

FINALLY, Alexis relented and allowed her body to relax and the trembling to meld with his thrusts.   It wasn’t long before the quaking within her had her shaking on the outside too.  However, he remained steady and attentive, his hips moving back and forth in a steady rhythm as he devoured her neck with his lips.

“OH GOD!” Lexi felt herself scream as she felt the wave of her climax and release crash within her.

Moments later JC reached his climax too and then collapsed gently on top of her.  Kissing her lips softly until he felt her heartbeat slow to a steady pace.

Smiling, he sat up, their bodies still connected as he looked down at her.

“Hey there Pretty lady, how about you open those beautiful green eyes of yours and look at me?”

Alexis’s eyes fluttered open as a small smile started to spread across her face and she bit at her bottom lip.

“There she is!  Happy Birthday Alexis!” He said grinning.

Alexis couldn’t help but giggle.  “Was that my Birthday sex?”

JC chuckled.  “Part of it.”

“There’s more?” Alexis laughed.

“Possibly!  We’ll just have to see how the day goes.”

“Did you really mean all those things you said?” Alexis asked, her eyes still wide.

JC grinned.  “Every word!”

Alexis bit her lip again and nodded.  “Hmm, and just what am I supposed to do with that information.”

JC laughed. “Whatever you want.  That’s for you to decide, but as I said, I have no intention of going anywhere.”

Alexis cracked a smile and nodded.  “Glad to hear it.”

JC grinned, popped a quick kiss on her lips then settled himself on the bed beside her and pulled the sheet over them.

“What next Birthday girl?” He asked smiling.

Alexis laughed.  “Umm…you’re the man with the master plan, you tell me.”

JC picked up his phone to look at the time.  He had several text messages and a couple voice mails but right then he was completely focused on the gorgeous woman beside him.

“Hmm…well, it’s just now 11 a.m.  How about a nice, relaxing bubble bath then maybe another walk, come back here for some lunch, maybe take another dip in the jacuzzi and just go from there?”

Alexis giggled at him and shook her head.  “A bubble bath?  Did you come up with that all on your own?”

JC blushed.  “No. Not completely.  I saw it on the hotel amenities menu and thought it sounded like a good idea so I went ahead and booked it.”

Alexis made a face.  “How do you book a bubble bath?”

Josh laughed.  “Umm.  It wasn’t hard.  Apparently, you just select it on the menu and then they send all the stuff to your room.”

“What stuff?”

“Uhhh…bubble bath, bath salts, some fancy ass sponge and chilled face towels.”

Alexis couldn’t help but giggle at him and shake her head.  He was being adorable again.

“Sounds intriguing.  Ok, I’m game.  Fire it up!”

JC grinned then tossed the covers aside and jumped from the bed.  He was still naked but Alexis wasn’t complaining one bit.  She watched with complete satisfaction as his naked ass disappeared into the master bathroom.  Moments later she heard the water running, sighed and then snuggled back into the pillows.

Alexis grabbed her phone from the nightstand and looked at it briefly.  A few text messages from her sisters, a voice mail from her parents as well as one from Kenny and Andrew.  Probably all wishing her Happy Birthday, but right then her sole focus was Josh.

His proclamation of love minutes earlier still had her head spinning.  She didn’t know what to make of it.  It was not at all what she’d expected but she’d be lying to herself if she didn’t admit that he had her thinking about their future together.

Could it be possible that he was being sincere?

JC reappeared minutes later, still naked, but wearing a huge grin.

Alexis blushed a bit and shook her head.  “Are you planning to stay like that?”

“Like what?” he teased.

Alexis laughed.  “Naked.”

“Would you like that?” JC replied with a smirk.

Alexis blushed more.  “Umm…”

JC laughed out loud, letting his head fall back a bit.  She was adorable when she got embarrassed, which wasn’t often.

“No. I’m not going to stay like this.  I’ll get dressed while you are in the bath.  We can go on that walk after.”

Alexis nodded then pushed the sheets aside.  However, she didn’t get the opportunity to stand.  JC was at her bedside in an instant, sweeping her up into his arms and carrying her towards the master bathroom.

Alexis squealed and laughed as he picked her up and started to carry across the room.

“JOSH!” she squealed.

“It’s your birthday and therefore, I am going to spoil you as much as possible, and that includes carrying you to the tub.”

Alexis just laughed a bit more, wrapped her arms around his neck and allowed him to carry her, then carefully set her down in the hot water.

Once she was settled in the tub JC popped a quick kiss on the top of her head before leaving the bathroom.

In the bedroom, JC dressed quickly.  He pulled on a pair of boxer briefs then slipped back into his cargo shorts from the day before and pulled a clean polo shirt over his head.  Yes, he needed a shower but he was planning on a shower after getting in the jacuzzi later so there was no sense showering now just to shower again. 

After getting dressed JC settled himself on the bed and reached for his phone.  He had a text from Johnny reminding him of a meeting they had on Wednesday to discuss tour stuff.  He had another text from Justin checking in from NYC.  He said that the flight to NYC had been “NEXT LEVEL” but didn’t elaborate beyond that.  It made JC shake his head and chuckled a bit.  He was probably better off not knowing if he was being honest.

About an hour later Alexis emerged from the bathroom wrapped in one of the hotels plush, terry cloth robes.  Her skin was glowing from the heat of the bath and her hair still piled on top of her head in a messy bun.

“OH MY GOD…these robes…” Alexis giggled as she stepped into the bedroom.

“Comfy?” JC asked grinning.

“VERY!  They should sell these…”

“I think they do.” JC said grinning.

Alexis bit her lip and smiled.

“Consider it done Pretty lady!”

Alexis shook her head and blushed.  “I didn’t ask you to do that.”

JC chuckled.  ‘You didn’t have to. I am happy to do it. Anything for the Birthday girl!”

“You spoil me.”

JC grinned.  “DAMN RIGHT!  You’re my QUEEN and I am going to treat you as such.”

Alexis laughed a bit.  “Well, ok then.  I guess I can’t argue with that.”

“Nope! Now, get that cute ass of yours dressed so we can go on that walk.”

Ten minutes later Alexis was dressed in a denim skirt and a simple, cotton ribbed tank top in dark green.  Nothing fancy, but definitely comfortable and it wasn’t like they had to impress anyone but each other.

Hand in hand they walked the grounds for over an hour, stopping from time to look at flowers or watch the swans swimming.

“Come here.” JC whispered as he pulled her behind a small grove of palm trees.

“What are we doing?” Alexis whispered as he wrapped both his arms around her waist.

JC smiled and dropped his head a bit. Then, still smiling, he captured her lips a sweet kiss.

Alexis giggled then leaned into him.  He was being cute and romantic and she was loving every minute of it.

“When did you get to be such the romantic?” Alexis asked he pulled away.

JC smiled.  “I’ve always been the romantic type, just never had anyone I wanted to be this romantic with.”

“Is that so?” Alexis smirked.

JC grinned and nodded. “Mmm Hmm! This is all YOUR fault! You did this to me.”

Alexis laughed.  “I did this to you, what about what you’re doing to me?”

JC chuckled then pulled her a bit closer.  This conversation was taking an unexpected turn but he wasn’t mad about it one bit.

“What am I doing to you Lexi?” He asked, his voice low and thick.

Alexis began to feel her heart pound in her chest.  It still amazed her how one minute, things between them could be totally playful and casual, and in the next far more emotionally charged.  It was as if he had this power over her, one that turned her brain to mush and made her knees go weak with just a few words or the simplest touch. 

Alexis blinked and forced the lump back in her throat then tried to make the butterflies in her stomach stop doing flips.  He was getting to her, that much was certain.

“Making me fall for you.” She whispered back.

JC smiled then lifted her chin so that she met his gaze.  “Go ahead, fall for me, I’ll catch you!”

“Will you?” She replied.

“Always!”

“I love you Josh!  It scares me just how much sometimes.”

JC nodded then cracked a reassuring smile.  “I get it! Believe me, I do!  I also understand why you’re being so cautious.  I don’t fault you for that, just know, I will wait for you, for as long as you need.  I’m in no rush.”

Alexis smiled and nodded.  “Thank you”

JC pulled her into a hug then kissed the top of her head.  “For you, anything!”

After their impromptu discussion and a bit more walking, they returned to the suite where lunch was waiting on the patio. 

Lunch was delicious, but then, so far, all of the food at the hotel had been top notch so of course this would be no different.  Neither one of them left a single crumb on their plate. 

In fact, there wasn’t a single part of her birthday “getaway” that she didn’t absolutely love.  JC had attended to every detail and gone above and beyond to make her feel special.  Truthfully, she couldn’t think of a time when she’d had a better birthday than this one.

“So…28, any big plans for 28?” JC asked before taking a sip from his glass of wine.

They were now in the jacuzzi, drinking wine, relaxing and just chatting casually.  It was the perfect way to spend the afternoon.

Alexis blushed a bit then giggled.  “Umm…supposedly, I am going on tour with this really FAMOUS boyband…maybe you’ve heard of them.”

JC laughed.  “Hmm…the Backstreet Boys.”

Alexis snorted and made a face.  “Gross! No! I wouldn’t last five minutes in the same room with Littrell.”

“Not a fan?” JC smirked.

“NO!  Plus, you guys are FAR more talented.”

Now it was JC’s turn to blush a little.

“Thanks.”

There was a brief pause, but it was very brief, just long enough for both of them to take another sip of their wine.

“Ok, so the tour and…” JC continued.

Alexis screwed up her face in thought, which made JC chuckle a bit.

“Well, I know I should be focusing on the tour, and I am, but I also want to get back in the studio.  I have this song that I’ve been playing with, here and there, when I have time, and I would love to see what I could do with it.”

“Oh yeah?” JC asked raising an eyebrow.

The producer and songwriter in him were beyond curious.

“It’s just something I’ve been playing with.”

JC grinned.  He understood completely.

“Want to tell me about it?”

Alexis blushed and shrugged her shoulders.  “It’s a duet…or at least that’s the way it’s been playing in my head.”

JC couldn’t help but grin and shake his head.  “A duet, huh?  Got anyone in particular in mind for this duet?”

Alexis giggled and bit her lip.  “Well, it would have to be a guy.”

JC smirked.  “Obviously.”

Alexis was trying to maintain her giggles by this point.  “He would have to have a killer voice.”

“A definite must.”

“I’m thinking someone with a decent vocal range.  I don’t know…three, maybe four octaves.” Alexis teased.

JC laughed and shook his head.  “Alexis, are you asking me to do a duet with you?”

Alexis blushed more.  “Maybe.  You know, if you’re not too busy.”

JC grinned.  “For you? Never!”

Chapter 27 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

Alexis returned to her place Tuesday morning feeling like she was on Cloud 9.  The whole birthday “staycation” had been total bliss!  She couldn’t remember when she’d had a better birthday!

Michelle was scheduled to arrive home in a couple hours, meaning she had the house to herself. 

“Want to come in for a bit?” Alexis asked as JC pulled his Mercedes into the drive.

“Sure.” JC replied smiling.

Alexis dug through her purse until she found her keys then opened the door and disarmed the alarm quickly.  With the alarm deactivated they stepped into the condo and headed for the kitchen.

“Are you hungry?” Alexis asked as she set her purse down on the counter.

JC cracked another smile. “Nah. I’m good. I think I am still full from breakfast.”

Alexis nodded. “Same.  Would you like some coffee?”

JC sat down at the counter, looking at her now standing on the other side, in the kitchen.  She looked comfortable, but beautiful just the same.

“Sure.  But only if you’re having some.”

Alexis laughed a little.  “Have we met? You should know by now; my blood type is actually coffee.”

JC chuckled.  “Actually, I did know that.”

His laugh made her whole body tingle.  He just did that to her.  EVERY TIME.  It didn’t matter that she’d known him since she was 12. They’d met just a few days before her 13th birthday. He still had the ability to make her knees turn to Jell-O with just his laugh or a smile.

Minutes later Alexis handed JC a steamy cup of French press coffee before pouring herself a cup.

“Just a splash of cream and sugar.” She explained as she handed the cup to him.

JC took a quick sip then his lips quickly curved into a smile. 

“Since when did you get so good at coffee?”

“Since I worked as a Barista for a while after moving here.”

JC nodded.  It still made his heart ache a little that he’d missed out on so much of her life.  However, he tried not to dwell on it.  Things were looking up now and the last thing he wanted was to mess it up again.

“What’s a “while?” JC replied.

Alexis blushed slightly.  “Umm…I don’t know…a year, year and a half maybe.  Then I got too busy with music.”

He smiled again and she felt her heart flutter a little.

“Well, it’s really good.  You obviously haven’t lost your touch.”

“Good to know I have a future in coffee if the music thing doesn’t pan out.” Alexis half teased.

Truthfully, she still wasn’t sure she was good enough to make it beyond a first album.

JC grinned.  “I think you have a very LONG career in music of ahead of you, and I am not just saying that because you’re my girlfriend.”

Alexis’s jaw dropped.  Yes, they had been “dating” for over a month and he’d said on several occasions that he wasn’t seeing anyone else but this was the first time he’d actually used the term “girlfriend.”

“Excuse me?!  What did you just say?” Alexis exclaimed.

JC shot her a confused look.  “Umm…I said I thought you had a very long career in music ahead of you.”

Alexis replied by shaking her head.  “No. No. After that.  The other thing you said.”

Immediately a grin spread across JC’s face.  He understood now what she was getting at, and he found it absolutely adorable.  She was flustered.  Her eyes were wide and she looked like she was fighting to maintain her composure.  It made him feel good.

“I said that I wasn’t just saying I think you have a long career ahead of you in music because you are my girlfriend.  Was that wrong? Are you not my girlfriend?”

Alexis blushed.  “Umm…I guess so.”

JC smirked a bit.  “You “guess so” but you’re not sure?”

Alexis bit her lip.  “Do you want me to be your girlfriend Josh?”

“Do you want to be my girlfriend?” JC replied.

Alexis gave him a look.  “I asked you first.”

JC laughed a little.  “Would I have called you my girlfriend if I didn’t?”

“I don’t know, would you?”

JC chuckled and shook his head.  This was the STUBBORN Lexi he remembered.  Although, he couldn’t blame her, his track record with women wasn’t doing him any favors.

His eyes softened and he smiled at her as he reached across the counter and took her hand.  He squeezed it gently then looked up at her, his blue eyes swimming.

“Lexi…I don’t know how else I can say it.  I love you! I’ve loved you on some level since I was 15! YES! I want you as my girlfriend!”

Lexi looked back at him and tried not to smile.  She was biting her bottom lip so hard it she felt as if she was going to bite a hole in it. 

“Does that mean you’re my boyfriend?”

JC laughed and shook his head.  “Only if you want me to be.”

“I’m good with it.” Alexis teased.

“Glad to hear it.”

“So…now that we have that established…what’s on your agenda for today?” Alexis asked, taking another sip of her coffee.

JC looked down at his watch. 

“I have a meeting with Johnny and the guys this afternoon.  I think it’s about the VMA’s.”

Alexis nodded.  “Same.  I mean, I have a meeting with Michelle, Andrew and Kenny …also about the VMA’s.  Apparently, I am nominated…and I’ve been asked to perform.”

JC grinned.  “I might have heard that.”

“Oh yeah, where?” Alexis smirked.

JC laughed, a deep laugh, that made his whole body shake a bit.  She LOVED it!

“EVERYWHERE!  They are already playing the promos on MTV…hosted by Jack Black with performances from Shakira, Christina Aguilera, Beyonce, Justin Timberlake and Danielle M.”

“Oh!” Alexis giggled.

Then it occurred to her, he hadn’t mentioned *NSYNC.

“What about *NSYNC? You’re not performing?”

JC smiled and shook his head.  “No. Not this year…the video just dropped, meaning it was too late to be considered for this year, but we are presenting and Justin is performing.”

Alexis nodded. “I did know Justin was performing.  Michelle hasn’t shut up about it.  I guess he officially asked her to be his date while they were on the flight to NYC.”

JC laughed a little.  He was reminded of Justin’s “NEXT LEVEL” comment about the flight.  Apparently, Michelle hadn’t shared as much, or she had and Alexis was keeping quiet on account of the “sister” code.

A sly smile had appeared on JC’s lips.  He was thinking about something.  Alexis knew it.  What it might be, Alexis had no clue but whatever it might be she had the feeling it would involve her.

“What’s that look for?” Alexis asked.

“Just thinking.”

“About?” Alexis asked, raising an eyebrow.

JC grinned more if possible.  “Well…Justin is taking a date, Joey is taking his wife, I think Chris and Lance are taking their Moms, which just leaves me…”

Alexis giggled.  “Josh, are you asking me to be your date to the VMA’s?”

“Well, I hadn’t yet…but yeah, that was kinda what I was leading up to.  What do you say?”

Alexis blushed, then nodded.  “You do realize that means we are going public with our relationship?!
 

JC smirked a bit. “I’m good with it!”

“Well…ok then…should we coordinate outfits…how does this work? I’ve never done an awards show before.” Alexis giggled nervously.

JC smiled.  “Call your sister.  She’ll know what to do.”

“Michelle?”

JC chuckled and shook his head.  “No.  April.  Call April.  I’m gonna take a wild guess that she is probably working on something for Michelle, and, well the VMA’s are more funky than formal.  In other words, it’s not black tie, you can get away with more.  I think the guys and I are going with jeans and t-shirts and suit jackets.”

Alexis nodded.  It did help knowing someone who’d done this before.  She felt like a fish out of water most of the time.

“Although, you’ll probably want a 2nd outfit for your performance.  Most artists have one outfit for the Red Carpet, sometimes a 2nd if they are presenting and then a 3rd if they are performing…sometimes even a 4th.”

Alexis’ jaw dropped.  April had always been about fashion, not her. 

“Well, I guess I am glad I am not presenting then.  I think two outfits for one event is my limit.” Alexis laughed awkwardly.

JC smiled reassuringly and nodded.  “I would call April ASAP if I were you.”

Alexis smiled.  “Knowing her, she has probably anticipated my call and is working on something already, but yes, I will call her this afternoon.”

About an hour later, just as they were taking the last sips of coffee Michelle barreled through the door with Justin right behind her.

“OH MY GOD!  Seriously! YOU need to be better about taking your phone off silent!” Michelle exclaimed, dropping her bag at the door. 

“Umm…ok…” Alexis replied, trying not to laugh.

Obviously, something was up, otherwise Michelle would not be this flustered.  Michelle didn’t get flustered.  In fact, of three Moretti girls Michelle was typically the most calm and collected during a crisis.

“I’ve been trying to call you since we landed!  The video for “If I Never See Your Face” dropped this morning and it’s already BLOWING UP!  People are losing their minds on Facebook and Twitter!  Andrew just called a few minutes ago, album sales in just the few hours since the video dropped have skyrocketed!”

Alexis’s eyes were wide now.  “Ok…wait…wait…first, what is Twitter?”

Michelle gave her sister a withering look.  “It’s a new social media platform…only been active a few months but it’s catching on quickly.  Don’t worry…you already have a profile.”

“I do?!”

Michelle made another face.  “Uh yeah!  That’s kinda my job…as your Publicist.”

Alexis tried not to laugh as she nodded.  “Right.  Ok.  Is that all or is there more?”

Justin snorted and made a face.  “There’s more.”

Until then, Alexis had almost forgotten that he was there but the look on his face spoke volumes.

“Mom and Dad called this morning too.”

Alexis nodded. “Yeah, I know.  They left me a voice mail but I haven’t had a chance to listen to it yet.”

Michelle smirked. “Like I said, you REALLY need to be better about turning your phone on.  They are coming to LA, THIS WEEK, they want to have dinner…the six of us.”

“Six?” Alexis replied making a face.

Then realization set in. 

“OH!” Alexis exclaimed, her eyes wide as saucers.

“Exactly.” Michelle replied.

Alexis giggled slightly.  “It’s just dinner, not the Spanish Inquisition.  I don’t think it will be as bad as you think.”

“Maybe not for you, they know your boyfriend, they’ve never met mine.”

Justin laughed.  “So, I’m your boyfriend now?! Good to know.”

“Is that a problem?” Michelle shot back.

Justin chuckled and shook his head.  Seeing this side of Michelle was a new experience for him, but he wasn’t complaining.  To be honest, he liked seeing her vulnerable side, it made him feel more connected to her.

“Nope! I’ve thought of you as my girlfriend since the album release party.”

“Whose album release party? *NSYNC or my sister’s?”

Justin grinned.  “You tell me.”

Michelle’s jaw dropped, meanwhile, Alexis couldn’t help but laugh.

“Yup! It’s official, I like you Timberlake.  You can stick around.  Anyone who can render my little sister speechless like that is good in my book.”

“Glad I have your approval.  I’m two for two now.” Justin teased back.

Alexis laughed more.  “April gave you her approval too, did she?”

Justin nodded. “She did.”

“I told you they were more alike than they will admit.” Michelle smirked.

“When it comes to our little sister, yes, we are, and speaking of April, did you happen to ask her about an outfit for the VMA’s?”

Michelle grinned.  “I did…and no worries, she is already working on designs for you.”

Alexis blushed.  “I figured as much.”

“Still might want to call her though, she said she has questions about your performance outfit.”

Alexis nodded.

Justin grinned.  “That’s right, you’re performing.  I did hear that.  What song are you doing?”

Alexis blushed.  She knew the song was his favorite.  “Umm…Bang, Bang.”

Justin was beaming.  “HELL YEAH!”

This time it was Michelle that blushed.  “I’m not doing it with her. The label tapped someone else MUCH BIGGER to do the song with her.  In fact, they are re-recording the track together tomorrow.”

Justin looked half disappointed half intrigued.  “Oh yeah?! Who did you get?”

Alexis giggled.  “I can’t say.  Michelle and I signed a non-disclosure agreement.  We can’t say anything until the VMA’s…but I can tell you that it’s such a BIG deal that the label is re-releasing the album with the new version as a bonus track…and we are in talks to re-do the video with this person.”

“Damn!”

“I am so EXCITED! I can’t wait!” Michelle gushed.

“That good, huh?” JC chuckled.

“You have NO IDEA!  I’m gonna have to try REALLY hard to not “fan girl” too much.”

“Fan girl, huh?  So, it’s someone you like?! Hmm…” Justin teased.

Michelle made a face.  “Stop! Listen Mr. Collab king, even if you guessed I couldn’t tell you so quit trying.  You’ll find out soon enough.”

Justin smiled and nodded.  “Ok, ok. Yeah, I got you.  I get it. Trust me.  If you’re excited then I am excited and I LOVE that song so I can’t wait to see it live.”

Alexis blushed again.  He was an AMAZING artist so knowing he liked the song as much as he did definitely made her feel good. 

“I know, it probably sounds weird, redoing a song after the album has already been released but between myself, Michelle and the label we thought it was a good idea given that Michelle is now my Publicist/Personal assistant and well…I happen to be a big fan of this person too.”

Justin and JC both smiled and nodded.

“Nah. It doesn’t sound weird.  We did something very similar when we did the remix of “Girlfriend” with Nelly.” Justin replied.

Alexis nodded and smiled.  “I’ve actually seen that one.  I really like it. “

“Thanks.” Justin and JC chorused.

“What song are you doing?” Alexis asked curiously, looking back at Justin.

Justin grinned at Michelle.  “A medley of “Sexy Back” and “My Love”

Michelle’s jaw dropped and in the next moment she was tackling JC in a hug.

“Umm…ok…I’m confused.  Why are you hugging me?” JC chuckled.

Michelle pulled away, a huge grin on her face.  “Well…if not for you Josh, producing Alexis’s album, we would not all be standing here right now and I would NOT be attending the VMA’s as Justin’s girlfriend where is he performing my FAVORITE song off his album.”

JC laughed and nodded.  “You’re welcome ‘Chelle.”

Alexis just giggled a bit and shook her head.  “Not to change the subject, but did Mom say WHEN exactly they were coming into town this week?”

Michelle nodded. “Late Thursday night.  They want to have dinner on Friday night.  Actually, they wanted to come next week but I said we would be in New York for the VMA’s.”

Alexis sighed.  Her little vacation was officially over.  It was going to be a very busy week.  She had the meeting with Andrew that afternoon, she would be recording on Wednesday, and probably Thursday if they didn’t finish in one day.  Then, dinner with her parents on Friday before leaving for NYC on Sunday. 

“Are you available on Friday?” Alexis asked turning to JC.

JC grinned.  “For you…yes.”

“What about you?” Michelle asked nervously, looking to Justin.

Justin chuckled a bit.  “I think I can make it work.”

***

The rest of the week seemed to fly by.  The meeting on Tuesday with Andrew was just to discuss the VMA schedule for the coming week.  Wednesday she was in the recording studio ALL day working on the new version of “Bang, Bang” with her top secret, surprise guest.  Thursday was spent putting the finishing touches on the track.  By Friday she was exhausted but thankfully, had the day to recharge and pack for her trip before dinner with JC, Justin, Michelle and her parents that evening.

“Where are we going?” Michelle asked that evening as she and Alexis were getting ready.

“What do you mean?” Alexis asked as she shimmied into a pair of jeans.

“For dinner.  Where are we taking Mom and Dad for dinner?” Michelle replied.

They were standing in Alexis’s bedroom as she was finishing getting dressed for the evening.

Alexis smiled.  It was obvious Michelle was nervous about their Mom and Dad meeting Justin for the first time.  Truthfully, she was a bit nervous too.  The last time their parents had seen JC was the day he stormed out, swearing he would never be back.

“I was thinking El Sombrero.” Alexis answered.

Michelle made a face.  “Really?!”

Alexis just shook her head.  “I know, not very original but I figured one, we know we like it.  Two, we know we won’t be harassed by fans or Paparazzi and three, it’s relaxed and casual so less pressure.”

Michelle nodded.  “Good points.  Ok, yeah, that makes sense.   Did you already let Mom and Dad know about the plan?”

A smile crept across Alexis’s face.  Typically, Michelle was the “details” girl but given the circumstances Alexis had decided to cut her some slack.

“I did!  I talked to Mom last night, once they got to the hotel.  She said they would meet us there.  I also called Josh and told him.  He said he and Justin would pick us up at about 7 and we could go together.”

Michelle laughed a little. “Wow! Look at you, handling things all on your own.”

Alexis just giggled and shook her head.  “I figured what with Mom and Dad meeting Justin for the first time you deserved a bit of a break.”

“Thanks.”

Alexis nodded.  “Nervous?”

Michelle made a face.  “More than I want to admit.”

“I get it.”

“I mean, introducing a boyfriend to Mom and Dad has NEVER been easy! The fact that he is JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE just makes it ten times worse.  Did you know I caught Mom scream singing “Cry Me a River” in the shower once?”

Alexis snorted.  “No, but thanks for sharing that visual!”

“Are you nervous?” Michelle replied.

Alexis nodded slowly.  “A little.  The last time Mom and Dad saw Josh wasn’t under the best circumstances.  True, things are different now, but it still feels weird.”

Michelle cracked a knowing smile.  “Mom will be fine.  She has a big heart, and she always LOVED Josh.  Honestly, I think she wanted him as a Son in law.  I think she still does.  It’s Dad that you have to worry about.  He’s like the Poster Boy for protective father.”

***

“How are you feeling?” Justin asked.

He and JC were in a chauffeured SUV headed towards Rancho Park.

“Honestly? I feel a bit nauseous! The last time I saw Mr. and Mrs. Moretti was the day I stormed out of their house.  Mrs. Moretti was in the kitchen, making dinner I think and Mr. Moretti had just pulled into the driveway.  I nearly ran into him in my mad dash out of the house.  It wasn’t pretty.  What about you?”

Justin chuckled awkwardly.  “Umm…well…I don’t have the history hanging over me that you do but yeah, I have to admit, I’m a bit queasy myself.  I can’t even remember the last time I met a girl’s parents, and well, yeah, there is the whole I’m Justin Timberlake thing.”

JC smiled.  “Mr. and Mrs. Moretti aren’t like that…trust me on this.  Yeah, they probably know who you are but with them…it’s more about how you treat their daughter.”

Twenty minutes later they were pulling into the drive at Alexis and Michelle’s condo.  Both men stepped down from the SUV, dressed casual but still nice in dark wash jeans and button-down shirts. 

Alexis opened the door.  She was dressed in a pair of jeans as well.  Low rise, that hugged her hips and a deep purple peasant top that came off her shoulders.  Her hair was piled on top of her head in a messy bun with a few loose tendrils framing her face. 

“Ugh! Really Lexi?!” JC grumbled.

Alexis gave him a look.  “Something wrong?”

“Yeah! Actually! Why do you have to look THAT good when we are going out with your parents?!”

Alexis blushed. 

“Behave yourself at dinner and MAYBE I will let you stay the night.” Alexis smirked.

“Is that a threat or a promise?”

“Both.”

“You’re on!” JC said grinning.

Michelle appeared at the door a moment later and Justin’s jaw hit the floor.  She was dressed in a denim skirt and a cute, flowy tank top with ruffled straps.  Her hair was pulled back in a long French braid that stretched almost to her tail bone. 

“Wow!” Justin breathed out.

“Thank you.” Michelle replied smiling.

“Should I promise to behave too?!” Justin teased, running a hand over his head and rubbing his neck.

“It would probably be wise…at least during dinner…” Michelle giggled.

“After?”

Michelle laughed.  “We’ll see.”

Ten minutes later they were pulling into the restaurant parking lot.  It was a Friday night so the parking lot was full, but not overly full.  Thankfully, Alexis had pulled strings and gotten them a secluded table at the back of the patio that was mostly hidden from view.  That, and Lonnie and Kenny would be in attendance as well.  At their own table just a few feet away.  It was the price of fame, and also necessary given that Justin, JC AND Alexis were now well known.

Freddy was the Host for the evening, meaning they were seated quickly and as soon as he saw Alexis and Michelle his grin was a mile wide.

“My two FAVORITE people!  Nice to see you again too Mr. Chasez and Mr. Timberlake.”

Both Justin and JC grinned.

Freddy showed them to the table, then handed them menus to look over while they waited.

“Not that you two need a menu…but just in case.” He said with a wink.

“Thanks.” Michelle replied.

“Who should I be on the lookout for? Mr. Fatone and his wife?”

Alexis giggled. “No. Not tonight.  Tonight, it’s an older male and female version of us.”

Freddy’s eyes went wide.  “OH!  Well…good luck gentlemen.”

JC chuckled.  “Thanks. It’s appreciated.”

A few minutes later a true older male and female version of Alexis and Michelle entered the restaurant and approached the host station.  JC quietly sucked in a breath.  Justin went for his water.  Their father was dressed in jeans and long sleeve button down with a tie, his hair was dark like his daughters’ but also peppered with flecks of grey.  Their mother was dressed in a long flowy, maxi skirt and a simple white top.  Her long dark hair fell in waves around her shoulders and down her back and she had the same deep green eyes and cute smile. 

Instinctively, JC stood from his seat as they approached and Justin quickly followed his lead.  Alexis and Michelle stood as well.

“What?! No hug?!” Mr. Moretti teased.

“Hi Dad.” Michelle said stepping forward first.

Michelle pulled away and immediately Mr. Moretti’s eyes shifted to his oldest daughter.

“There she is…my superstar!”

Alexis blushed as she hugged her dad.  “Not hardly.”

“Oh, most definitely!” JC agreed grinning.

“Good to see you again Josh.” Mr. Moretti said, offering his hand.

JC shook the older man’s hand, their eyes locked on one another.  Mr. Moretti’s grip was firm but not aggressive.  Basically, he was saying, don’t make the same mistake twice.

“You too Sir.” JC replied clearing his throat nervously.

Mr. Moretti cracked a smile.  “We’re good Josh.  As long as my girls are happy, I am happy.”

“Yeah…about that…Dad…this is…” Michelle interrupted motioning to Justin.

Mr. Moretti gave his youngest daughter a sly grin.  “Sweetheart…I know who he is…I’m not going to let my baby girl date a Pop superstar and not do my due diligence.”

Justin smiled a bit awkwardly.  “Nice to meet you Sir.”

Mr. Moretti chuckled and outstretched his hand.  “Like I said, we’re good Justin, my girls are happy, so I’m happy.”

Justin bit his lip and grinned.  “I promise to do my very best to keep it that way.”

Mr. Moretti laughed. “See that your partner in crime does the same.”

Justin chuckled. “I will keep him in check, but I think your girls are perfectly capable of handling themselves.”

“Agreed.” Mrs. Moretti chimed in.

Dinner went surprisingly well, all things considered.  Mr. and Mrs. Moretti kept the conversation casual and light.  They talked about Florida and the weather and the upcoming VMA’s.  Mrs. Moretti had invited some of her friends from work over to watch the show live.

“You would think that my wife was hosting an Oscar party.” Mr. Moretti teased.

“It’s just a few friends coming over for some wine.” Mrs. Moretti insisted.

Mr. Moretti chuckled.  “Wine and about half a dozen different appetizers.”

“Well, it’s not EVERY day your oldest daughter is nominated for TWO moon men.  This is her FIRST award show, of course I’m going to make a big deal of it.  I’m her MOTHER…it’s what we do.”

Justin smiled.  “My Mom would say the same!”

“It sounds like fun.” JC agreed smiling.

“See…I’m not crazy.” Mrs. Moretti replied, shooting her husband a look.

“I never said you were crazy my love…over excited, yes, crazy…NEVER!”

“Justin is performing too Mom.” Michelle added.

Mrs. Moretti blushed.  “I know!  I’m excited…you, my daughter, Shakira, Beyonce…should be a great show.”

Justin chuckled.  “Shakira and Beyonce…ok?!”

Mr. Moretti smirked.  “She left out Ludacris…I think she’s more excited to see you and Ludacris than she is her own daughter.”

“Not true!” Mrs. Moretti protested.

“I’m impressed!  Michelle…you never mentioned you got your cool from your mom.”

Michelle half giggled half snorted.  “Yeah…that’s our Mom…always trying to be like the cool kids.”

Justin grinned then winked at Michelle.  “Want to know a little secret Mrs. Moretti?”

Mrs. Moretti’s smile grew.  “It’s Susan…and PLEASE!”

“Timbaland is joining me for my performance.” Justin replied.

Michelle’s eyes went wide as saucers.  “WHAT?!  You never mentioned that to me!”

Justin recovered well.  “She’s your mom, you wouldn’t be here without her…that deserves some VIP treatment…besides…you get an introduction, she doesn’t.”

Michelle’s jaw was on the floor now.

Alexis laughed.  “Nice save Justin!”

“Thanks.  Now if only you’d tell us who YOUR special guest is?” Justin teased back.

“Special guest? You have a special guest?” Mr. Moretti asked, raising an eyebrow.

Alexis blushed and giggled slightly.  “I do, but I really can’t say! It’s Top Secret…but I can tell you…my performance is gonna be Supa Dupa Fly.”

This time it was Justin’s jaw that dropped, with JC quickly following.

“NO WAY!” Justin squealed.

Alexis giggled and nodded then put a finger to her lips.  Justin grinned, meanwhile JC could only smile and shake his head.  It was going to be some night.

The rest of dinner passed by rather quickly.  However, it seemed as if everyone enjoyed themselves and now that the awkwardness in the air seemed to have dissipated everyone relaxed.  It was a good night but one that Alexis and Michelle were glad to have over with. 

Now it was time to focus on the VMA’s.  They were only 6 days away.  There was still so much to do.

Chapter 28 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

Alexis and Michelle were up EARLY Sunday morning.  The initial plan had been that Alexis, Michelle and Kenny would fly to New York First Class on a commercial flight that got in Sunday afternoon.  That was until Justin offered to let the girls and Kenny, fly with him, JC and Lance on his private jet.  Chris and Joey would be flying in separately. 

“Ugh! This is TOO early!” Alexis groaned as she stumbled into the kitchen.

She was dressed in a pair of track pants, a V-neck t-shirt and a pair of tennis shoes with her hair pulled back into a loose pony tail.

Michelle giggled then handed her sister a cup of coffee.

“You think this is early just wait until tomorrow.  You have a radio interview, a fitting with April AND rehearsal for the performance and that is just before lunch.”

Alexis groaned, rubbed the sleep from her eyes then took a LONG sip of her coffee.

“Why did I agree to this again?”

Michelle smirked.  “Umm…because you LOVE music, you love performing, and secretly, even if you won’t admit it, you are OVER THE MOON excited for this week!”

Alexis cracked the tiniest of smiles and nodded before taking another sip of coffee.

“Ok, you got me there.  What time did Justin say the car was coming to pick us up?”

Michelle blushed at the mention of Justin.  She was pretty smitten with him, even if she wasn’t ready to admit it yet. 

“7:30 a.m. so it should be here any minute now.”

Alexis just shook her head and tried not to laugh.  The smile on Michelle’s face was evident and the slight pink hue of her cheeks was saying a lot more than words could.  Michelle was falling hard, or she was completely gone already.  Alexis was betting the latter.

The car arrived at 7:30 a.m. on the dot.  About a half hour later they were pulling up to the Tar-mak at LAX.  Justin’s PRIVATE jet was waiting for them, as was Kenny.  He was standing at the foot of the stairs leading up to the plane.

“You’re awake?!” Kenny teased.

Alexis made a face before handing her bag off to a flight attendant. 

“I’m up…and on my way to caffeinated! I’m far from awake.”

Michelle laughed and gave Kenny a knowing look.  “This!  This is what you have to look forward to for three whole months on tour.”

“I’m not worried.” Kenny said seriously.

Michelle smirked.  “You should be.”

Alexis, Michelle and Kenny all boarded the plane to find JC, Justin, Lance and their security already on board. 

“Wow.” Alexis giggled as she took in her surroundings.

“It’s a lot…I know.” Justin said, cracking a smile.

“It’s impressive.  Not at all what I pictured when Michelle explained it but…umm…yeah…impressive just the same.” Alexis answered.

Justin blushed.  He could only imagine what Michelle had told her.

“Thanks.  Make yourself comfortable.  It’s a five -hour flight.” He managed to reply.

Alexis nodded then took her seat next to JC.

“Do you always travel like this?” Alexis asked, still in disbelief.

JC cracked a smile.  “Not always.  Sometimes I fly commercial but this is more fun.”

Alexis giggled a bit more.  “I can see that.”

“Did you want something to drink…Justin has a fully stocked bar.”

Alexis laughed out loud at this.  “Of course, he does.  No…thank you, I’m ok for now.”

JC nodded then smiled.  He could only imagine what she must be thinking right now.  There were probably at least a dozen things running through her head right then.

“Are you excited?” He asked casually.

Alexis blushed.  “Excited, nervous, nauseous and about a million other things I can’t fully describe or comprehend right now.”

JC nodded knowingly.  “I remember that feeling.  It does get easier, but yeah, that first time is always intense.”

“I’ve never really performed in front of such a large crowd before, and it’s televised.” Alexis blurted out.

JC smiled then reached over to take her hand.  With his free hand he lifted her chin and turned it slightly so he could look directly at her.

“Don’t sweat it Pretty Lady! You’ll be great!  I have no doubt about that.”

Alexis couldn’t help but blush as he looked at her.  There was that smile again, the one that did her in nearly every time.

“Thanks.”

“Where are you and Michelle staying in New York?” JC asked.

He’d decided it was time to change the subject.  He didn’t want to make Alexis any more nervous or uncomfortable then she already was.

“The Four Seasons.  What about you?”

JC grinned devilishly.  “Same.”

Alexis made a face.  “How did you manage that?  Coincidence or did you have the inside scoop?”

JC laughed.  “Purely coincidence, I promise, but I am not complaining and I don’t think Justin will either.”

“Michelle and I are sharing a room.” Alexis explained, shaking her head.

JC nodded.  “Makes sense.”

“What about you?”

JC just smiled.  “Am I sharing a room? No.  Back in the day Justin and I frequently shared a room, but now that we are both…umm…grown …and well, Justin has a place here in New York.”

“What about Lance?”

“What about him?” JC replied.

“Are you sharing a room with him?”

JC chuckled. “No. No. Like I said…we are all grown now…”

Alexis giggled a bit.  “I see.  Well, maybe I’ll have to get your room number.”

JC grinned and nodded.  “I think that could be arranged.”

Alexis was quiet for a moment.  She was deep in thought.  Never in her wildest imagination did she ever think she would be here.   Truthfully, she’d always believed that if she ever saw him again it would be in passing, at some event.  They would wave or smile politely, or maybe they wouldn’t, and then go their separate ways.  Now, here she was, on a private jet, sitting next to him, as his girlfriend, headed to the VMA’s where he was presenting and she was nominated AND performing.

“What’s going on in that pretty head of yours?” He asked.

Alexis smiled.  “I was just thinking about how surreal this is…all of it, being nominated, performing, being on this jet…with you…”

JC took her hand again and squeezed it gently.  “I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

For a five-hour flight it seemed to pass quickly.  Soon, the airplane was making the final descent into NYC.  As soon as they were off the plane two chauffeured cars were waiting.  One would take Justin to his apartment, while the other was waiting to take Alexis, Michelle, JC and Lance to the hotel. 

Justin looked to Michelle with a cute smile.

“I know you probably have a really busy day tomorrow but…”

Michelle blushed.  “Justin…are you inviting me to your apartment?”

Justin grinned.  “I’m tryin’…”

“What about my bags?” Michelle replied as she tried to hide her excitement.

“I got you.” Alexis giggled.

Michelle looked to her sister and bit her lip nervously.  She’d been to Justin’s place in LA but going to his place in New York felt like a big step.

“Go on!  I can handle myself for one night.” Alexis teased.

“Josh…I leave her in your care.” Michelle smirked.

“You can count on me!” JC replied grinning as he saluted her.

Alexis just laughed a little and shook her head.

Behind her Lance snorted a little then smiled.  “You four are nauseatingly adorable…I feel like the fifth wheel!”

Alexis softened a bit.  She knew that Lance hadn’t been having an easy time of it as of late. 

“NEVER!  And ANYONE who has a problem with you will have to answer to me!” Alexis replied giving him a wink.

“And me!” Michelle agreed.

“Thanks.” Lance said blushing.

Justin and JC both grinned.  Seeing Alexis and Michelle embrace Lance in that way made their hearts smile just a bit.

The ride to the hotel was short.  In fact, it went by so quick that before Alexis realized what was happening, she was standing in her room with JC.

“How can I help?” JC asked sincerely.

“Help?”

JC smiled again and nodded.  “I’ve been in your shoes.  I can only imagine how you’re feeling right about now.  What can I do? What do you need?”

Alexis felt her heart melt a little.  He was being incredibly sweet. 

“Right now, I think I am ok.  Ask me again tomorrow…”She started.

He smiled and pulled her into him.  “How about some dinner?”

Alexis shook her head and bit her lip. As much as she hated admitting it, she was a bundle of nerves and her stomach was a bit queasy just thinking about the next few days.

“I am not really up to going out, and, well, if I am being honest, I’m not really hungry.”

JC pulled back a bit then looked down at her.  He knew EXACTLY how she felt. 

“We don’t need to go out…we can order in, and although you are probably feeling pretty queasy right about now you should eat, even if it’s just something small.”

Alexis looked up at him in disbelief.  He really did understand what she was going through.

“How do you do that?” Alexis asked as she bit her bottom lip.

JC cracked a smile.  “Do what?”

“Get in my head like that?”

JC chuckled and popped a kiss on her head. 

“Like I said, I’ve been here before and well…I know you Lexi.”

Alexis nodded then allowed herself to relax into his embrace.  It felt good.  She felt a wave of calm wash over her. 

JC wrapped his arms around her again and pulled her into him, letting her head rest on his chest.  For several moments they just stood there, her wrapped in his arms and him enjoying every moment of it.

“Tell you what, why don’t you go get comfortable in the bedroom.  Kick off your shoes, cozy up under the covers, whatever you need to do to relax and I will take care of ordering us food.” JC said, the smile evident in his voice.

Alexis sighed then mumbled into JC’s shirt.  “I’m really not hungry, and even if I was, I am not sure I could keep it down.”

JC nodded.  “Yup, that’s totally normal.  I remember our first awards show, I thought I was going to hurl several times, and I am pretty sure Lance did, at least once.  But, you should eat, even if it is just something light for the next few days.  Trust me on this, you’ll be glad you did.”

Alexis nodded ok but didn’t respond verbally.  Instead, she gave him a quick hug and a peck on the cheek before pulling away and heading for the bedroom.

About a half hour later Room Service arrived.

“You stay right there, I’ve got this.” JC said before jumping up from the bed.

Alexis smiled a bit, shook her head then sat up a bit more in the bed.  Moments later JC returned with the Room Service cart.  There were two, fold out trays on the shelves of the cart.  One by one he set them up on the bed then placed the cloches on top before sitting down next to her.

Alexis looked at him and made a face.

“What did you get me?”

JC grinned.  “Just trust me.”

Cautiously, Alexis lifted the cloche from her tray and then couldn’t help but bite her lip and shake her head at what she saw on the tray.  Back in the day, when they had been just friends this was what she’d eaten for breakfast any time she had a choir or dance competition.  The fact that he knew that and remembered made her heart melt a thousand times over.

On the plate in front of her was a bowl of yogurt with a smaller container of granola next to it, two pieces of toast with peanut butter and honey and a cup of peppermint hot tea with honey. 

“How did you…I can’t believe you…” Alexis stuttered.

“I’m gifted.” JC teased.

Alexis snorted a bit.  “Is that what you’re calling it?”

JC feigned hurt.  “You doubt me?”

Alexis laughed.  “Never.”

The rest of the day was spent just relaxing and enjoying each other’s company.  Alexis woke up the next morning feeling nervous still, but not nearly as much, thanks to JC.

At 8:00 a.m. Alexis, Kenny and Michelle were walking into the studio at one of the local radio stations.  Michelle had spent the night with Justin at his NYC apartment, but was all smiles and bearing coffee when she walked into meet her sister.

“Your night must have gone well.” Alexis teased as Michelle offered her a cup.

Michelle blushed.  “It’s possible.”

Alexis smirked. “Yeah, whatever.  I know that look.”

Michelle took the opportunity to tease right back.  “Do you?”

Alexis just shook her head.  “Are you really asking me that?”

Michelle busted out laughing.  “No. Not really.”

“Didn’t think so.” Alexis smirked.

The radio interview went well.  The DJ asked Alexis about the album, being nominated and collaborating with *NSYNC.  Alexis couldn’t help but smile and laugh as she answered.  Recording with *NSYNC had definitely been an experience she wouldn’t easily forget.

After the radio interview it was off to a fitting for the VMA’s. 

Shortly before noon Alexis and Michelle entered April’s New York studio.

“Wow!” Alexis breathed out as they entered the space.

There was fabric everywhere.  Swatches in every style and color and in one corner of the room, two mannequins each with a different but equally gorgeous outfit on them. 

April grinned.  “You like them?”

Alexis bit her lip and nodded.  “They are AMAZING!  Are they both…”

April nodded.  “Yeah.  The sparkly one that comes off one shoulder is your performance outfit and the purple gown with the shag skirt is your dress for the red carpet and the ceremony.”

“They are GORGEOUS!”

April beamed.  “Well, of course, you’re going to the VMA’s, wearing MY designs.  If you look good then I look good.”

Alexis giggled.  “True.”

Minutes later Alexis was standing in front of a mirror dressed in the performance outfit.  It was a silver, sparkly mini dress with one sleeve that came off the shoulder on the other side.  It fit like a glove and hugged all of her curves in all the right places. 

“What shoes am I supposed to wear with this?” Alexis asked as she continued to eye herself in the mirror.

April grinned.  “Hmm.  Well…if it were me, I’d wear heels…totally blinged out heels…or high heel boots, but I know you’re going to be dancing so wear whatever is easiest for you to move in.”

Alexis nodded.  “Do you have any ideas on where I could get some killer boots to go with this?”

April smiled.  “I’ll take care of it.  Size 7, right?”

Alexis bit her lip and nodded again.  “Yes.”

“And for the dress?” April replied.

“Heels please…Josh is my date and well…” Alexis replied blushing.

This time it was April who bit her lip and grinned.  “I got you!”

“Is it weird for you?” Alexis blurted out.

April gave her sister a look.  “Is what weird?”

Alexis blushed.  “Umm…all of this…designing clothes for your sisters for the VMA’s, having your twin sister date your ex, watching your twin and your little sister walk the Red Carpet with 2/5 of one the biggest boybands of all time.”

April laughed.  “That last one is a little weird, but the rest…nah…those worked out for the best.  Josh is with the Moretti he was meant to be with.”

Alexis blushed again.  “Thanks.  It means a lot that you would say that.”

April nodded. “I mean it.  Josh deserves to be happy, so do you, and I can tell you two make each other happy.”

“How can you tell?”

April laughed.  “It’s all over your face.”

“Is it?”

April smirked.  “I’m afraid so, but you wear it well.”

“Thank you.”

“You wear that outfit well too…DAMN Lexi…you’re gonna make him squirm for sure.” April teased.

Alexis smirked.  “Good!”

At this April and Michelle couldn’t help but laugh.  Yes, Josh had definitely met his match.  There was no girl in the world more perfect for him than Lexi.  April realized that now.

After the fitting it was over to Radio City Music Hall for rehearsal.  Because Alexis had a special “surprise” guest as part of her performance the rehearsal was closed to everyone who wasn’t deemed “necessary.”

Once rehearsal was over it was back to the hotel for some much needed rest.  The next few days seemed to pass by in a blur.  Now the big night had arrived.

Alexis found herself standing in her hotel bedroom, in front of a full-length mirror just staring at her reflection.  She didn’t recognize herself.  She was a jeans and t-shirt kind of girl and here she was in a gown fit for a princess. 

“Josh is going to cream himself.” Michelle teased as she entered the room.

Alexis cracked a smile.  “I doubt that.”

Michelle grinned more.  “Wanna bet?”

Alexis laughed. “Not really, no.”

“Because you know I’d win.”

Alexis smirked a bit.  “You are awfully confident this evening.”

“You’re not?!”

Alexis made a face.  “No! I’m a mess!  I feel silly in this dress, I’m nervous about performing and …”

Michelle’s eyes softened.  “Ok, stop! It’s completely natural to be nervous.  I would be concerned if you weren’t, but here is what I know as FACT…first, you look AMAZING! Seriously, April outdid herself with that dress! Second, your performance is going to be INCREDIBLE.  You are going to set that stage on FIRE tonight! And, as for your nomination…yeah…you have some stiff competition but even if you don’t win this is just the beginning.  Your talent is undeniable and the whole world is going to know that after tonight.”

“You’re my sister, you have to say that.” Alexis replied, her eyes brimming.

Michelle crossed the room and put a hand on her sister’s shoulder.  “Yes, I’m your sister, but, NO, I don’t have to say that. I say that because it’s the truth and if you don’t believe me …”

It was then that there was a knock at the door.

“That’s probably Kenny.” Alexis replied as she tried to blink back tears.

Michelle nodded and went for the door.

It was Justin.

“WOW!” Justin breathed out when Michelle opened the door.

“Thanks.” Michelle replied blushing.

Just then Alexis stepped into view.  Justin caught her gaze and immediately his eyes softened.  He knew exactly what was going on inside her head. It was written all over her face.

Instinctively, he bit his lip and smiled at her.

“Hey.” Justin said as he looked to her.

“Hi.” Alexis replied.

He smiled a bit more and then nodded.  “Breathe! In and out! You’re gonna KILL IT tonight! Just like you did at your release party and in front of Clive!  AND…you look AMAZING so don’t sweat it! You make that dress…not the other way around!”

Michelle beamed at him then looked to her sister.  “I told you! And he’s NOT family so…”

“Not yet.” Justin teased.

Michelle’s jaw dropped causing Alexis to giggle.

“What?! JC is like a brother to me, and well…” Justin protested.

This time it was Alexis who made a face.

“Let’s not get ahead of ourselves.” Alexis smirked.

“I really don’t think I am.” Justin replied.

Alexis could only smile and shake her head.  “And on that note…”

There was another knock at the door.  This time it was Kenny…and JC.  JC took one look at Alexis standing just beyond the door, his heart stopped and his jaw fell to the floor.  She looked STUNNING! 

“Well…FUCK!” JC muttered to himself.

He was in love with her, that much was certain, and seeing her now, dressed in that dress, the look of complete panic in her eyes was his undoing. 

He gave Justin a pointed look.  Justin just smiled and nodded. 

“C’mon Michelle…let’s go wait downstairs.” Justin said, offering his arm.

Michelle gave her sister a wink then took Justin’s arm and quickly exited.  She’d caught the look JC had given Justin and therefore knew exactly what the two men were up to, and she wasn’t going to argue about it in the least.

With Justin and Michelle now gone that just left Kenny, but like Michelle, Kenny knew exactly what was happening.

“I’ll wait outside.” Kenny said, giving JC a look.

JC nodded and smiled then turned his attention back to Alexis.

In the next instant he was standing in front of her.  His hand went to her chin, lifting her gaze to meet his.

“Hey, Pretty lady!” He whispered.

“Hey.” She whispered back.

He cracked a smile and stepped a bit closer so that their faces were nearly touching.

“I know what you’re thinking! Don’t sweat it! You’ve got this!”

Alexis opened her mouth to speak but JC quieted her quickly.

“You’re a FORCE Alexis Moretti…I’ve known that since the day I met you.”

Alexis tried a second time to speak, but was immediately silenced again.  JC put a finger to her lips and smiled.

“You’re nervous, I get that.  It’s completely natural and totally acceptable.  I still get nervous, but I know that nervous or not, you’re are going to KILL IT on stage tonight and DAMN do you look GORGEOUS in that dress!”

Alexis blushed but stayed quiet.

JC took that as his cue.  He snaked his arms around her waist and pulled her into him, letting his head rest against her forehead and his lips hover over hers.

“I’m not saying all this just because I am in love with you.  I am saying this as someone who has been in the business for 15 years.”

He paused briefly then continued.

“Yes Lexi, I know we’ve both said it but I want you to know, I mean it, I’m in love with you.  You’re the one.  You’re the one I want to spend my life with.”

Alexis’s eyes went wide and her heart started to pound in her chest. 

“Josh…are you proposing to me? Right now?”

He cracked a smile.

“No.  Not YET.”

“Yet?!” Alexis managed to reply.

JC grinned.  “That’s correct.”

Alexis bit her lip.  “And just what I am supposed to do with that admission?”

JC grinned more.  “Go show the world the woman I’m head over feet in love with.”

Alexis couldn’t help but laugh.  “Well ok then.”

Moments later they were headed down to the car that was already outside the hotel waiting.  Lance and his mom had gone ahead in another car.  Justin and Michelle had done the same.  The group was only presenting, not performing so they’d agreed to that it wasn’t necessary to walk the red carpet together.

As soon as Alexis and JC stepped out onto the Red Carpet the cameras started flashing from every direction.  Yes, there had been Paparrazi at the *NSYNC album release party and she’d been on the Jumbo-tron with JC at the baseball game for his birthday but neither compared to this moment.   

However, much to Alexis’s surprise JC took the questions like a champ.

“JC, how long have you and Danielle been dating?”

“We’ve been dating for a couple of months but we’ve known each other a long time.” JC answered.

“How did you meet?”

JC smiled.  “We met at Disney World, back during my MMC days.”

“Danielle, is it true that Justin Timberlake is dating your sister?”

Alexis laughed a little.  “You’d have to ask them that.  I don’t like to comment on either of my sisters’ personal lives.”

“Are you nervous about performing tonight?”

Alexis blushed.  “Honestly, I am a bit nervous but as it was pointed out to me by two gentlemen I happen to admire, who have experience with this, being nervous is normal and healthy so I am trying to just embrace it and enjoy the evening.”

“Who are you most excited to see?”

Alexis grinned and bit her lip.  “I’m really looking forward to Mr. Timberlake’s performance as well as Shakira and Christina Aguilera.  All of the performances, really.”

It was then that event security appeared to usher them along.  As far as Red Carpets go it wasn’t bad at all, but Alexis was still thankful it was over.

“See, you ROCKED that!” JC said, whispering in her ear.

Alexis could only blush and nod.

It wasn’t very long after that they were escorted to their seats. The men of *NSYNC were seated together but everyone else had already made it to their seats.  Alexis and JC were the last to arrive. 

“What took you so long?” Michelle whispered in her sister’s ear.

Alexis blushed and giggled a bit.  She hadn’t forgotten about her conversation with JC in the hotel less than an hour earlier.

“I’ll tell you later.” Alexis replied quietly.

Michelle looked over at her sister briefly.  Alexis had a weird expression on her face.  One that Michelle was not accustomed to, it intrigued her.

“What happened? Did you two…” Michelle asked making a face.

Alexis giggled.  “No. No. Nothing like that…he said something…”

“What did he say?” Michelle insisted.

Alexis’s eyes were wide now.  “I told you…I will tell you later…there are too many ears here.”

The house lights dimmed and the show started.   Jack Black went through his opening monologue and for the most part the show proceeded without incident. 

Justin’s performance was mid-way through the show.  The whole stage went dark and then the beat to “My love” started and TV screens arching over the stage began to illuminate as Justin rose up out of a platform in the center of the crowd.   As soon as he appeared on the stage Michelle grabbed her sister’s hand and began to squeeze.  Given their surroundings Alexis knew that Michelle was trying desperately not to “fan girl” in front of everyone.

Alexis could only giggle and shake her head as her eyes darted back and forth between Justin and her sister.  He was an AMAZING performer, no doubt about it, but seeing him this close definitely made Alexis take a bit more notice.

Then he started to sing and it was all Alexis could do to keep from laughing as Michelle dug her fingers into her hand.  It was obvious, at least to Alexis, that Justin was singing to Michelle, especially since he kept pointing out into the crowd towards where they were sitting.

The whole auditorium erupted in applause as he finished but it was what the person sitting behind them said as the lights came back up that caught Alexis and Michelle’s attention.

“That man is a SNACK!” A young female voice behind them said.

Joey and JC, who both heard as well just chuckled and shook their heads.  However, before anyone had a chance to react Michelle had whipped around in her seat and was addressing the young woman.

“No Ma’am! I’m a GROWN woman…I don’t have time for a snack. THAT man is a Full course meal complete with appetizers and a dessert that keeps on giving but also leaves you wanting more. Trust me!” *

Alexis snorted quietly, then began to laugh, meanwhile JC and Joey were trying very hard not to totally crack up. 

“I’m TOTALLY tellin’ J you said that.” JC whispered once Michelle had settled back down in her seat.

“Go right ahead.” Michelle smirked.

Soon it was time for Alexis to head backstage and prepare for her own performance.  Taking a breath, she started to stand.  Michelle grabbed her arm and pulled her back down momentarily. 

“You are going to KILL IT!” Michelle whispered.

Alexis blushed and nodded then winked at her sister. 

Backstage Alexis ran into Justin.  He was just coming out of a dressing room after changing out of his performance suit.

“GIRL! Go ROCK this!”

Alexis giggled and nodded.  “I’m gonna try.  By the way…that was IMPRESSIVE…I might have to have you teach me some of those moves when we are on tour.”

Justin grinned.  “Only if you teach me some of yours.”

Alexis laughed. “Done.”

Before she realized what was happening, Alexis was standing in the dressing room in front of the full-length mirror, staring at her reflection again.

The dress sparkled in the light.  In fact, if Alexis hadn’t known any better, she would have bet that it was made from just glitter. It was silver, with one strap, that came off one shoulder.  The hem of her dress stopped just below her butt, revealing the white bloomers she wore beneath.  On her legs, a pair of knee-high white boots.  Her hair was pulled back in a sleek pony tail that stretched halfway down her back. 

Alexis could only smile and shake her head. 

“Nicely done April!”

“We’re ready when you are.” A stage hand interrupted.

Alexis nodded then followed the stage hand through the backstage area towards the back of the auditorium.

From the other side of the auditorium doors Alexis heard the beat of the song begin and that was when she made her entrance.  Microphone in hand Alexis burst through the doors and started making her way down the aisle towards the stage as the beat played. Her hips swayed with the beat as she walked as the crowd started to cheer.

She stopped in the aisle, right next to where Christina Aguilera was standing and grinned at her and winked as she sang the first line of the song.

“She got a body like an hour glass, but I can give it to you all the time.”

Christina grinned back and grooved with her, giving her a wink as well.

Then Alexis proceeded up the aisle and found *NSYNC.  She wrapped her arm around Lance first.   He blushed but played along chuckling and shaking his head the whole time.

“She got a booty like a Cadillac, but I can send you into overdrive.”

Then she moved down the row to JC. She wrapped one arm around his neck and got close.

“You’ve been waiting for that…step on up…swing your bat.”

JC swallowed hard then bit his lip and tried not to blush.

“See anyone could be bad to you, you need a good girl to blow your mind.”

JC chuckled and shook his head.  THIS was the Alexis he remembered.  Fearless and full of spunk, and she was HOTT as hell! 

Alexis took the stage and proceeded through the song until Missy Elliot joined her on stage for the Rap and the crowd went wild! Everyone in the auditorium was on their feet and cheering.  Alexis’s smile was a mile wide as she grooved next to Missy and they finished the song together.

 

Her performance was everything she hoped it would be and more.  When she finally returned her to seat, she was still smiling.

“That was EPIC!” Justin gushed leaning over Michelle to whisper to her.

Alexis beamed. “Thank you.”

Alexis was up for two awards that evening, Best New Artist in a Video and Best Female video.  As luck would have it, the first award presented that she was nominated for was the Best Female Video.  50 Cent and LL Cool J were the presenters.  Alexis was nominated against Kelly Clarkson, Christina Aguilera, Nelly Furtado, Madonna and Shakira.  In other words, she was not surprised that she didn’t win in that category, nor was she upset.   Just to be nominated against such amazing artists was worth it in her opinion.

A little bit later in the show *NSYNC walked out on the stage.  They were presenting the award for Best New Artist in a Video.

Alexis was dumbfounded.  She knew they were presenting but had no idea this was the award they would be presenting.  This was the award she was most hopeful for, and as Joey started to speak Michelle reached across the seat and grabbed her sister’s hand again.

“And the nominees for Best New Artist in a Video are….” Joey started.

“Rhianna…SOS.” Justin said.

“James Blunt…for “You’re Beautiful.” Lance added.

“Chris Brown featuring Juelz Santana for “Run it” Chris chimed in.

“Panic at the Disco for I Write Sins Not Tragedies.” Joey continued.

“And Danielle M. for Jar of Hearts” JC replied as he tried not to smile too much.

And with each name a small clip of the video started to play.

“And the winner is….” Justin chuckled as JC tore open the envelope.

All five men looked down at the paper, then up at the camera and the audience as huge grins spread across their faces.

“Danielle M. for Jar of Hearts’ they all chorused.

For a moment, Alexis sat there frozen in her seat meanwhile Michelle was jumping up and down and squealing in her seat.

“That’s you! GO! Lexi GO!”

In a haze Alexis stood from her chair and started towards the stage.  A stage hand helped her up the steps and she crossed the stage towards the podium.  She hugged each of the guys but paused briefly as JC hugged you.

“I told you!” He whispered as Lance handed her the Moon Man statue.

Alexis stepped up to the microphone, her eyes wide and tear filled and a smile tugging at her lips.

“OH MY GOSH! I was sure Rhianna or James Blunt were going to win.  WOW! Just WOW! There are so many people to thank…my family, my management, everyone at the label, everyone who worked on the album…but THIS…this one is for my little sister, Michelle!  She’s been my BIGGEST fan since day one! I couldn’t have done ANY of this without you, ‘Chelle! I love you!”

In her seat, Michelle’s eyes were brimming with tears.  She couldn’t have been prouder of her sister.

The rest of the show went by in a blur.  It was a great night and one Alexis wouldn’t soon forget.

Chapter 29 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl
Author's Notes:

We are nearing the end! Eeek!

“Good, you’re all here.” Johnny Wright said to the group of men now seated in his office.

No one said a word.  He was smiling, but it was an odd smile.  It was as if he knew something they didn’t.

“You said to be here at 9, and it’s 9 now, so here we are.” Justin smirked.

“Indeed, but I also know some of you have a tendency to be late.” Johnny shot back grinning.

“Not some of us, just one of us.” Joey replied giving JC a look.

“Yeah, ok, ok. So, I am typically late, but I’m not today, so can we just get to it.” JC grumbled.

Johnny chuckled and nodded then settled onto the couch across from the group. 

“I bet you’re wondering why I brought you here.” Johnny said still chuckling a bit.

“Not really. We’ve been with you long enough to know that when you call us in, it’s typically important.” Lance said.

“Fair enough.” Johnny replied, the grin still present on his face.

“So, what’s up?” Chris chimed in.

Johnny grinned and shook his head then produced an envelope from the computer bag at his feet.

“Well, I know this is just the beginning of September and the tour doesn’t begin until January but it seems your calendar up until then is filling up fast.”

“Ok?!” Justin replied confused.

There was something about the grin on his face that just didn’t add up.  Not to mention, he was being incredibly vague, which was very atypical Johnny behavior.

“This came in the mail today…addressed to the five of you.  It’s in two weeks.”

As the words left his mouth, Johnny tossed the contents of the envelope onto the glass coffee table between them.

It was a card, an invitation to be specific.  On one side of the card, the words, “VIP Fashion Show” in large gold print.  Beneath it, in smaller black scrolled font the card read, “April Denise Couture.”

“This is a joke, right?!” JC smirked shaking his head a bit.

“No joke, it’s legit, but I should warn you…there’s more.” Johnny said nodding to the card.

“What do you mean there’s more?” Justin asked reaching for the card.

“Look at the back.” Johnny replied.

Justin turned the card over slowly in his hand, holding it so the other guys could see.

 

April Denise Couture presents:

The Diamonds and Pearls Collection

Sunday, September 24, 2006

7:00 p.m.

The Waldorf Astoria Beverly Hills

Special appearances by:  Danielle M & Michelle Renee

Dress code: Business

 

“Who is Michelle Renee?” Justin asked confused.

JC snorted.  “That’s Michelle’s middle name.”

Justin’s eyes widened.  “Michelle?! As in Michelle Moretti? As in my Michelle?”

JC just laughed and nodded. “That’d be her.”

“FUCK ME!” Justin whistled through his teeth.

“My thoughts exactly.” JC smirked.

“We’re going, right?!” Joey asked with a grin.

Justin chuckled.  “I don’t know about the rest of you, but I sure as hell am not going to miss Michelle strutting down the runway.  No sir!”

“I’m going.” JC said, still shaking his head.  “I’m probably asking for punishment in doing so, but it would be worse if I didn’t.”

Lance laughed.  “Probably.”

Johnny looked to Chris, Lance and Joey.  “Gentlemen?”

Chris just laughed a bit and nodded.  “I think we have to go, just to make sure these two don’t implode.”

Johnny nodded and cracked a smile.  “Then it’s settled.  We will all go, although I am with Chris, I will be going just to make sure the two of you don’t self-combust.”

Everyone chuckled.  Justin and JC knew that the teasing was all in good fun, and in truth, given their relationship statuses it made sense.  Lexi and Michelle were definitely forces to be reckoned with.

Still smiling and shaking his head JC looked to his four group mates.  They were his “brothers.” There wasn’t one of them he couldn’t confide in completely, and when the day came, they were the ones he wanted standing by his side. 

“Umm…well…since we are all here …and since, like Johnny said, our calendar is filling up there is something I wanted to talk to you guys about…” JC stuttered nervously.

“What’s up man?” Chris asked.

The look in JC’s eyes wasn’t one the group was accustomed to from him.  He looked terrified and excited all at once.  Even Johnny noticed.

“I need your help…” JC started to explain, his smile a bit awkward.

“Everything ok?!” Joey asked his voice filled with concern.

The other four men in the room quickly exchanged looks.  Something was definitely up.

“I thought about waiting until we were on tour, but then I thought to myself “no.”  Once we are on tour things will be far too chaotic, and busy.  I don’t want this to feel rushed, or half-ass.  I want to do this right, because well, she deserves it…”

JC was rambling, meaning he was nervous, and this wasn’t just pre-tour jitters, this was serious.

“Man, I love you, but what are you going on about?” Chris replied.

JC blushed then looked up at his friends.  He was definitely going to need their help if this was going to work the way he hoped it would.

“I need your help…” JC repeated.

They all nodded.

“Yeah, you said that already…” Justin replied.

JC nodded then reached up to rub at his neck.  He didn’t quite understand why he was having such a hard time getting the words out.  These were his “brothers.” He could talk to them about anything and everything.  They were the ones that understood him better than he understood himself sometimes, but then, why was this so hard?  Probably because he was still trying to wrap his head around it.  For so long he’d been content with his life.  He’d been ok with being alone.  He didn’t need a partner.  He didn’t crave companionship, at least not until Lexi walked back into his life.  The day he’d walked into that studio his world completely changed.  In the days and weeks since then he’d come to the realization that all the one-night stands, all the failed relationships weren’t because he was against commitment or incapable of loving someone that deeply.  No, it was because there was only ever going to be one woman he cared that deeply enough about to surrender his heart to. 

In the next moment the words just came tumbling out.

 “I want to propose to Lexi…”JC said, smiling bashfully.

“Propose what?” Joey asked confused.

Lance gave his friend a look and shook his head.  “Really Joey?! Think about it.”

Joey’s eyes widened as realization set in.  Then he was all smiles.

“OH!”

“When?” Justin asked grinning.

JC sighed and shook his head.  “I don’t know.  Soon.  Before the tour.  After this Fashion show.”

“Do you have a ring yet?” Lance asked grinning.

JC blushed.  “No.  Not yet.  I was sorta hoping…you know…if you guys weren’t busy …”

Justin chuckled, shook his head and patted his older friend on the shoulder.  “No offense, I think we would all be willing, but personally, and I think the other guys would agree…that’s something you’d be much better off asking Michelle and April to help you with.”

Johnny and the other three men all nodded in agreement.

“You think so?” JC asked anxiously.

All five men grinned and nodded. 

“Absolutely!  I mean, yeah, April might be a bit harder to pin down since she is in New York and obviously busy, but I KNOW Michelle would help you.” Justin answered nodding to the invitation.

JC finally allowed his grin to take over.  “Would you guys be willing to help me with the proposal then?”

Again, all five men nodded, including Johnny, the grins on their faces equally as wide as JC’s.

“Definitely!” Chris replied.

JC let out a breath he didn’t realize he’d been holding.  “I can’t believe I’m doing this. “

Joey chuckled.  “Just wait until you have the ring…then shit will really feel real.”

“When did you decide this?” Lance asked as he grinned again and bit his lip.

JC chuckled.  “Umm…on some level I’ve been thinking about it since her birthday but I didn’t really decide until the VMA’s.  As soon as I saw her in that dress, the nervous look in her eyes.  I remembered what that felt like and that’s when I realized I wanted to be the one that shared all those moments and feelings with her.”

“Well, might I say, it’s about DAMN TIME!” Chris teased.

JC laughed and nodded.  “I know. I know.  What can I say, I’m stubborn.”

***

“What are we doing Josh?” Michelle asked from the passenger seat.

“You’ll see.” JC replied, his smile mischievous.

He was trying really hard not to give himself away, but it wasn’t easy.  He was nervous and excited and a bit nauseous all at once but he was also determined.  Truthfully, he’d never been more sure about anything in his life.  However, that didn’t mean he wasn’t scared to death.  He was.  He was just equally as determined to see this through.

Michelle made a face.  “You were cryptic on the phone, and again now, why?”

JC chuckled, his eyes straying from the road momentarily.  “Will you just trust me for once?”

“I trust you. I’m just being cautious.”

JC just smiled as he looked over at her again.

“You know, I’ve always thought of you as another sister.”

Michelle gave him a puzzled look.

“Umm…ok…you’re being weird Josh.  Why are you being weird?  What’s going on?”

“I’m not being weird.” JC chuckled.

“Yeah, you are.  It’s unnerving, stop it.” Michelle shot back.

It was then that they pulled into the parking lot of their destination.  From the outside of the building, you couldn’t tell what it was but once inside it was definitely obvious.

“We’re here.” JC said putting his car into park.

“Which is where?” Michelle asked raising an eyebrow.

JC laughed more.  “You worry too much.  C’mon.  It will make sense in a minute, I promise.”

As soon as Michelle stepped through the glass door into the building her eyes went wide.  There were glass jewelry cases everywhere and several attendants waiting to be of service.  From behind them another employee locked the front door.  They had the entire store to themselves.

“Umm…Josh…what are we doing?” Michelle managed to get out, her eyes still wide.

“I need your help ‘Chelle.”

Michelle smirked and shook her head.  “Oh, you need help, for sure, but why my help specifically?”

JC looked over at Michelle, his eyes smiling as he sighed happily.  “It’s like I said, I’ve always thought of you as another sister and well, there is no one I know that knows Lexi as well as you do.”

Michelle’s eyes widened more if possible and her mouth went dry.  Typically, she was quick with the comebacks but not this time.  This time he’d rendered her completely dumbfounded just by mentioning her sister’s name.  It was then that she realized what was happening and more importantly, why she was there.

“Wait a minute?! Woah?! Josh, are you asking me to help you pick out an engagement ring for Lexi?”

JC grinned and nodded.  “If you would, please.”

“Is this a joke?” Michelle replied, her eyes on fire.

JC chuckled and shook his head.  “No joke.  I am being completely serious.”

“So, you are proposing to my sister?” Michelle asked.

She wasn’t completely convinced.  Truthfully, she was waiting for Ashton Kutcher or her boyfriend to appear and tell her she was being Punk’d.  If she was, it wasn’t funny, but then, there was something about the look in Josh’s eyes that told her he was being sincere.

“I am.” JC said smiling.

He still felt like he needed to pinch himself just to make sure he wasn’t hallucinating.

“When?” Michelle asked bravely.

“Umm…well…I was thinking after the fashion show, not that night but maybe the day after.  I haven’t worked out the details yet.”

Michelle’s eyes went wide again.  “The day after the fashion show?!  That’s less than a week away?! So…what you’re saying is…you’re buying a ring TODAY!”

JC chuckled nervously and nodded.  “That’s the plan.”

Michelle could only giggle and shake her head.  “Well, I never thought I would see the day, but I have to say …I’m proud of you…and it’s about DAMN time.”

JC laughed.  “Your boyfriend said the same.”

Michelle smirked.  “Well, it’s the truth.”

JC nodded.  “Ok, so then, what do you say we go pick out a ring?”

Michelle looked around the shop and just shook her head and smiled.  The fact that they had the entire shop to themselves was not lost on her.

“Did you have something in mind?” Michelle asked as they walked to the nearest case.

JC blushed.  “Nope.  That’s why I brought you.”

Michelle laughed and nodded.  “You think we’ve discussed this, don’t you?”

JC grinned.  “Well, I was hoping.”

Michelle snorted. “Of course, you were.”

“Was I wrong?”

Michelle giggled.  “Yes, and no.”

“What does that mean?” JC chuckled.

“It means I will do what I can, but for the most part, this is all you.”

JC nodded.  “I’ll take whatever help I can get.”

Michelle smiled at him then looked down to the case.  There were dozens of rings, all of them gorgeous but she had no idea where to start.

“Rose gold.” Michelle said after a long, quiet moment.

“Umm…” JC stuttered.

“Lexi has always loved Rose Gold.  You should start there.”

JC smiled and looked up at the girl behind the counter.  She smiled then nodded towards one of the cases towards the back of the room. 

“We have a large selection of Rose gold settings in that back case to the left.”

“Perfect.” JC said grinning.

Together, he and Michelle approached the case and began to peruse the dozens of gorgeous rings inside.  Instantly, he knew why Alexis liked Rose Gold.  It was unique yet beautiful and elegant just like she was. 

After what seemed like an eternity JC spied a ring he wanted to take a closer look at.

“May I see that one?” He asked pointing.

The jewelry store clerk smiled and nodded then delicately lifted the ring from the case and set it on the glass countertop so JC and Michelle could get a closer look.

“It’s a 2 carat round cut diamond with a regal halo of diamonds surrounding it.  Then, there are alternating round and marquise diamonds along the 14k rose gold band.”

“It’s beautiful Josh.” Michelle managed to breathe out.

“Do you think she’ll like it?” JC asked looking to Michelle with a nervous smile.

Michelle bit her lip to keep from tearing up and nodded.  She didn’t know why she was getting so emotional all of the sudden but in that moment, she was feeling a lot.

“I think she will love it.  It’s bold, but not over the top and elegant and pretty at the same time.”

The attendant smiled.  “Do you know the ring size?”

Michelle nodded.  “Six.”

Both the jewelry store attendant and Michelle looked to JC.

He sucked in a breath, ran a hand through his hair then began to rub at his neck. 

“Am I really doing this?” He asked nervously.

Michelle smiled softly.  Now was not the time for sarcasm. 

“I don’t know, are you?”

“Am I crazy?” JC continued.

Michelle shook her head.  “You are many, many things Josh, but crazy is not one of them.”

JC cracked a smile and sighed.  “I know, it’s just …IF I do this there is no going back.”

Michelle looked up into his clear blue eyes and smiled. “Do you honestly want to go back?”

“No.”

Again, Michelle smiled up at him.  “Then I think you have your answer.”

 

JC looked to the jewelry clerk and grinned.  “Ok, let’s do it.  Size 6 please.”

The attendant smiled and nodded.  “When would you like to have it ready?”

JC took a breath and paused in thought.  “Is Friday too soon?”

“Friday, September 22?”

“Yes, please.” JC answered.

“Excuse me just a moment, let me go check.” The clerk said before dismissing herself briefly.

As soon as the attendant was gone Michelle turned to JC again, her smile a mile wide.

“OH MY GOD Josh! I’m so excited and happy I could cry and I have SO many questions!” Michelle squeaked.

JC just laughed.  “One step at time ‘Chelle.  Let’s get the ring taken care of first, then I will answer your questions…maybe.”

Before Michelle had the chance to respond the clerk returned, and she was all smiles.

“Yes. That date will be just fine.  All I need from you is to fill out this order form, your ID and a method of payment.”

Michelle immediately grabbed the order form and the pen and looked to JC.  He looked a little shell shocked at the moment but she didn’t blame in the least.  This was a HUGE step.

“I’ll take care of the order form, you just worry about payment.”

JC nodded and forced himself to speak.  Now that this was actually happening, he found himself a bit speechless. 

“Thanks.” He forced out quietly.

Only once they were back inside the car did either of them speak again.  Immediately upon shutting the doors to the car Michelle let out an excited squeal of delight and threw her arms around JC’s neck.

“OH MY GOD! JOSH! FINALLY! I’m getting you as my brother-in-law!” Michelle squealed.

JC chuckled, hugged her and then slowly pulled away.  “We’ll see about that, Lexi has to say “yes” first.”

Michelle grinned.  “Oh, don’t you worry about that.  She will!”

“You think so?” JC asked nervously.

Deep down, he knew she would, or at the very least he hoped but there was still that small sliver of doubt that their past would come between them again. 

Michelle’s eyes widened a bit and she looked at him.  His eyes were swimming.  She knew that look.  It was the same terrified, broken look he’d had the day he walked away eight years ago.

“Oh Josh, I KNOW it!  I’ve known you two were meant to be since that day in the Magic Kingdom.”

This time it was JC’s eyes that went wide.  “Magic Kingdom?! But…you weren’t there…”

Michelle laughed and shook her head.  “Yes, I was…you just didn’t see me. I was 9 and you were 15, of course you didn’t notice me.   I was sitting on a bench with our parents.  They were too busy chatting but I saw the whole thing. I saw you knock Lexi down and you Tony helping her get up.  I saw April come rushing over, but I also saw the way Lexi looked at you.”

“Really?!”

Michelle smiled.  “Really! 

“Wow! I had no idea.”

Michelle grinned.  “No worries.  It’s obviously working out the way it was supposed to.”

JC smiled.  “Thanks ‘Chelle. I really couldn’t have done this without you.”

“You’re welcome.  Really, I couldn’t think of anywhere I’d rather be right now, but now, I have to ask, what’s your plan? Do you even have a plan?”

JC chuckled and nodded then blushed a bit.  “Yes and no.  I have a general idea of how I want to do this but the finer details I’m still working on.”

Michelle grinned. “SO…do I get the scoop or are your lips sealed?”

JC couldn’t help but smirk.  “Well, since I am going to need your help, you get the scoop.  Also, I’m going to need you to convince April to play along as well.”

Michelle’s jaw dropped.  If April was going to be involved then he was definitely going big.

“Spill it Chasez!” Michelle replied grinning.

Chapter 30 by BoybandandCoffeeGirl

 

“I think I’m going to puke.” Alexis said, staring at her reflection in the mirror.

She was wearing a white silk pantsuit with a tube top and a long black trench coat.  Her hair was pulled back in a loose pony tail and there were long whisps framing her face.  On her ears a pair of long, tear drop pearl earrings and around her neck a string of pearls with tiny diamonds spaced between. 

April just smirked and shook her head.  “Now let me tell you why that’s a problem.  One, if you puke, you’ll get all clammy and ruin your make-up.  Two, if you puke you might get that outfit dirty and we do NOT have time to get it cleaned and three, you and Michelle are my only models.  The show doesn’t work without you.”

“I still can’t believe I agreed to this.” Alexis replied, huffing a bit.

April gigged.  “Neither can I, if I am being honest, but here we are, there is no turning back now.”

Michelle just waved her hand dismissively.  “Whatever! We are going to rock this and I can’t wait to see the look on Justin’s face.”

“Wait?! What?! You invited Justin?” Alexis exclaimed looking to Michelle.

Michelle could only snort and shake her head.  “No, I didn’t invite him.”

Alexis’s eyes widened then landed on her twin.  “You invited Justin?”

April grinned and nodded.  “I invited all of *NSYNC.”

“Of course, you did.” Alexis smirked.

At this April couldn’t help but laugh.  “You thought I wouldn’t?!”

Alexis gave her sister a look.  “With you, I never know what to think.”

“Fair enough.” April giggled. 

Then she gave her sister a reassuring smile.  “Yes, I invited *NSYNC.  I figured I’d better because they would get upset if I didn’t and I am NOT trying to get back on Josh’s Shit list!”

Alexis laughed out loud and nodded.  “Smart thinking.”

“I do have my moments.” April teased.

“So, are we ready for this?” Michelle asked bouncing from one foot to the other.

She was excited.  Meanwhile, Alexis and April were both nervous wrecks but were trying not to show it.  Alexis was nervous about doing something that was SO far out of her comfort zone and having hundreds of people there to watch.  April was nervous about doing her very first fashion show and thus announcing her name to the fashion community.

“I think we are about as ready as we are going to get.  Let’s do this …because if I think about it anymore, I am going to talk myself out of it.” Alexis said forcing a smile.

From behind them they heard the sound of someone clearing their throat.

All three women turned to see Kenny leaned up against the doorway to the dressing room with a huge grin on his face.

“DAMN!” Kenny whistled.

Alexis bit her lip, smiled and shook her head.  “Is that good or bad?”

Kenny laughed.  “Haven’t decided yet, depends on how much drool I have to mop up in the front row.”

“Front row?!  Who is in the front row?” Michelle exclaimed.

“Gee, I wonder.” Kenny smirked.

Michelle immediately rounded on April.  “You put them in the front row?!”

April laughed.  “Well, they are VIP.”

“I hate you right now! I love you, but I really hate you!” Michelle squeaked.

“Are you ladies ready? It’s a full house!”

“No!” Alexis and Michelle both exclaimed.

“A full house?! Wow!” April added.

Kenny grinned.  “Yeah…you have people’s attention.”

April grinned with satisfaction.  “Well then, let’s go drop a few jaws!”

Then she looked to her sisters and back to Kenny.  It was obvious she needed a few moments alone with her sisters.

“Give us a few?!” April asked politely.

Kenny smiled and nodded.  “Two minutes…then we need to get this show moving.”

As soon as Kenny was out of sight April turned to her sisters again. 

“Ok, complete seriousness now.  I just want to take a moment to say “thank you” again for doing this.  I really don’t think there are any other people on the planet that could model my line like you two.  Nor would I want anyone else.  I love you both SO much and I know I haven’t been so great about expressing that over the last eight years but I promise that girl is gone.  You two will always be my world, no matter where we are or what we are doing.  Tonight is just as much about us and our sisterhood as it is about me and my designs.”

“Stop! You’re gonna make me cry!” Michelle sniffed.

Alexis could only nod in agreement as the tears started to well in her eyes.

April giggled and nodded as she too tried to push back tears.  “No, no crying.  You’re gonna mess up your make-up.”

“It’s time ladies.” Kenny boomed from the hallway.

“Ok, one last hug!” April said before wrapping her arms around her sisters.

***

The lights in ballroom dimmed as the lights lining the runway sprang to life and a spotlight illuminated the large, marquis letters, AD against the white backdrop.  Then, from the speakers boomed the bass beat from the song “Bang, Bang” causing all six men seated in the front row to inhale sharply.

“I think I am going to puke!” Justin hissed.

“You THINK you’re gonna be sick…man…I KNOW I am!” JC snapped back.

“SHH!” Hissed someone behind them.

“Both of you need to just chill, it’s just fabric.” Chris smirked.

At that precise moment Michelle appeared at the top of the runway.  She was wearing a pink and white houndstooth suit jacket with the zipper undone revealing a rose pink sequin bra and matching houndstooth mini skirt and rose pink heels.

“Just fabric, huh?” Justin snickered.

“Yeah, ok, I’m shutting up now.” Chris chuckled. 

“Exactly.” Justin replied.

Michelle had the trademark runway walk down to a T and as soon as she spied Justin sitting in the front row, his jaw practically on the floor she couldn’t help but giggle a bit and give him a wink.

Justin blushed immediately.

No sooner than Michelle had disappeared Alexis appeared and this time it was JC’s turn to squirm.

He took one look at her and immediately groaned then adjusted the cinch on his tie.

“Fuck me!” He mumbled.

“Later.  Save that for later.” Joey teased.

JC didn’t respond verbally he just shot Joey a withering look.  He knew it was all in good fun but given what he had planned for after the show his nerves were a bit on edge.

Next on the runway was April and as soon as she stepped into view JC couldn’t help but chuckle and shake his head.  If someone had told him eight years ago that this was where he would be at this very moment he would have laughed in their face.  He’d grown as a person and as a man since then.  Now he could look up at his ex-girlfriend standing on the runway and not be consumed by anger and pain.  Now he could look up at her and appreciate all the hard work she’d put into this show and her designs as well as the part she’d played in bringing him and Lexi together. 

“Damn! She’s single, right?” Chris teased.

“NO!” Joey, Justin, JC and Lance all exclaimed.

“Absolutely not!  I love you man, like a brother, and there are no longer any hard feelings between April and I, but just NO!” JC said sternly.

Chris held up his hands in surrender and grinned.  “Joking. Just joking.”

One after the other the three girls paraded down the runway in different designs as the cameras all around the group of men flashed at high speed.  The crowd was loving the collection and JC could see several reporters hurriedly speaking into portable recorders. 

They were nearing the end of the show and as the end drew closer JC began to get antsy.  In less than 24 hours he would be down on one knee asking Alexis to marry him.  It was no wonder he was feeling nauseous.  Truthfully, he hadn’t been able to eat all day he was so nervous. 

The last “look” of the night was April’s favorite part of the collection.  As a little girl she’d always loved to play dress up and much like her sisters, held a nostalgic fondness towards Disney and the Disney princesses so for the crowning jewels of her collection she’d designed 3 ball gowns each one a reflection of her and her sisters’ style.

Michelle’s was a deep green with a plunging V neckline and a full skirt lined with dozens of green feathers.  April’s dress was a deep red and strapless with 3 layers of tulle filling the skirt.  Finally, there was Alexis’s dress.  Her dress also had a plunging V neckline with thick, beaded blue straps but the blue of the dress seemed to fade slowly into the fabric until it reached the skirt that was ivory white.

All three girls took the runway hand in hand as Justin’s “Sexy Back” began to play.  Immediately, Michelle shot April a look and grinned as Justin could only chuckle, blush wildly and shake his head.

“Why am I not surprised?” Alexis giggled through her smile.

“They’re smiling, aren’t they?” April shot back through gritted teeth, nodding to Justin and JC.

By this point they had reached the end of the runway and were taking the final bow as the crowd erupted with applause and everyone got to their feet.   Johnny and the men of the *NSYNC were clapping and cheering loudest of all.

Finally, after a few moments the clapping died down and April was given a microphone to address the crowd as the cameras continued to fire away around her.

“I just wanted to take this opportunity to say “Thank You” to all of you for coming tonight.  I had SO much fun creating for this collection and putting together this show.”

Then, she looked to her sisters and tried desperately not to choke up again.  “Also, I wanted to give a HUGE “Thank You” to my SISTERS…that’s right…these two beautiful ladies are my own flesh and blood, my muses for this collection if you will.  I couldn’t have done any of this without either of you.  I love you both!”

Then April looked to *NSYNC and winked. “Take note Ladies & Gentleman this is definitely NOT the last you’ve seen or heard from the Moretti girls! IN FACT…I think you’ll be seeing my sister, Danielle on the “Private Affair” tour with *NSYNC, in my designs, of course…and who knows…you just might see my baby sister; Michelle out on the road too.”

JC just smiled and shook his head then gave April a nod and a wink before giving his “brothers” the signal that it was time to move.

April nodded she understood then gave her final “goodbye” to the crowd before looking pointedly at Michelle and nodding. 

It was time to put the plan in action!

The house lights came back up and the crowd began to file out of the ballroom as April and Michelle each grabbed one of Alexis’s hands and started to lead her back to the dressing room as fast as they could.

As soon as they were in the privacy of the dressing room things started to move at warp speed.

April grabbed a hanger from the rack containing a pair of jeans and a t-shirt and shoved it at Alexis.

“Hurry!  Change into this.” April commanded.

“Hurry?! Why?! What’s the rush?” Alexis replied, looking confused.

“We have a plane to catch.” Michelle chimed in as she shimmied out of her dress and into a pair of jeans.

“A plane? A plane to where?” Alexis asked, still baffled.

“We are not at liberty to say.” April giggled.

“Not at liberty…what…says whom?” Alexis shot back, now growing irritated.

Michelle grinned.  “Again, we can’t say.”

Alexis made a face.  “Ok, so Josh put you up to this.”

“Maybe.  Maybe not.  Maybe it was Andrew.” April teased.

“Or Kenny.” Michelle chimed in.

“Or maybe it was Justin.” April continued.

Alexis rolled her eyes.  “Whatever! I don’t really care who it was, just so long as one of you tells me what the HELL is going on?”

“We can’t say.” April said smiling at her sister.

She knew that this was driving Alexis absolutely crazy but she had made a promise to JC and this was one promise to him she fully intended on keeping.  He deserved at least that from her and even if he didn’t Alexis definitely did.

Alexis sighed in resignation.  “Fine! You can’t tell me. Got it. What can you tell me?”

April looked to Michelle. 

“Not much.  Really, the only thing we can tell you is that we have a plane to catch and we have to hurry.” Michelle explained.

“Can you tell me where we are going?” Alexis asked as April thrust a duffel bag at her.

It was then that Kenny appeared again at the door.

“Ladies, let’s move.” He said seriously.

“You’re in on this too?!” Alexis exclaimed.

Kenny laughed.  “I’m your bodyguard, of course I am in on it.”

Alexis gave him a withering look.  “Ok, then can you tell me where we are going?”

Kenny smiled but shook his head.  “Unfortunately, I cannot.”

Michelle grabbed her sister’s hand and squeezed it gently as they started for the exit. 

“Just trust us, ok?!  I promise, everything will make sense soon.”

Alexis stopped and made a face.  She was practically glaring at her sisters.  They were keeping something from her, something big and she didn’t like it.

“Really?! You won’t tell me where we are going, why or what we are doing, but I am just supposed to trust you?  Why, because you are my sisters?”  Alexis said, standing her ground.

“Works for me.” April teased.

Michelle gave April a warning look, then she turned to Alexis, her eyes softening.

“Look, I get it.  You hate surprises and you hate being kept out of the loop, but I promise you, it will all make sense very soon and it will all be worth it, but for now, you are just going to have to trust us.” Michelle said softly.

April nodded in agreement.  “I know, trust is still an issue with you and I but Michelle is right.  It will all be worth it in the end.”

“Fine!” Alexis grumbled.

Once inside the waiting town-car it was a short ride to the airport, but instead of pulling up to the terminal they pulled right onto a private runway where are private Jet was already waiting for them.

Alexis’s jaw dropped.

“Ok, what the HELL is going on?” Alexis exclaimed.

April couldn’t help but laugh a little.  Seeing Alexis this flustered wasn’t something she’d seen in a very long time.

“Get on the plane, then we can explain a little bit more.” Michelle said nodding to the stair case leading up to the cabin.

Once on the plane the three girls settled themselves in the plush, leather chairs facing each other and then Alexis spoke again.

“Ok, NOW will you tell me what’s going on?” Alexis huffed.

April and Michelle exchanged looks.  Neither wanted to give the secret away but both understood they needed to tell Alexis something.

“We are going to Florida.” April replied simply.

“Florida? Why? Are we going to see Mom & Dad?” Alexis replied confused.

Michelle shook her head.  “No.”

“No?! Then, why?” Alexis insisted.

“Think of it as girls’ trip.” Michelle answered.

“A sisters trip.” April chimed in.

“Yeah, I’m not buying it.” Alexis huffed.

“Ok, we’re celebrating…” April started but Michelle quickly gave her a warning look.

“Celebrating what?” Alexis asked, not catching the exchanged looks.

April gave Michelle a knowing look before proceeding. 

“SO many things.  The success of my show and my collection.  The fact that you’re going on tour with *NSYNC.  The fact that we are speaking again and not trying to kill each other.”

Alexis cracked a smile.  “Ok, you’ve got me there, but then why all the secrecy? Why not just tell me that from the beginning?”

Once again, April and Michelle exchanged looks but this time April knew just what to say.

“Because it’s fun to watch you squirm.” April smirked.

“You’re a brat!” Alexis exclaimed.

The flight from Los Angeles to Orlando was a little over five hours but it seemed to pass quickly.  Or at least that was how it seemed to Alexis. Before she realized what was happening, they were landing at Orlando International Airport.

Once off the plane there was a car waiting to take the three girls to their hotel.  Alexis said not a word until they were pulling up to the valet at the Disney Port Orleans Resort- Riverside.

Alexis looked to her sisters with her eyes wide.  Yes, something was definitely up.

“Disney World?!  You brought me to Disney World?!” Alexis exclaimed.

“Of course, we know you love Disney…we all do.  So, why not?” April said as the three girls stepped from the car.

Truthfully, Alexis couldn’t remember the last time the three girls had been to a Disney park together, and it did sound like a lot of fun but something inside of her was telling her that there was more to this trip than what her sisters were letting on.

“Fair enough.  Lead the way.” Alexis said shaking her head.

Check in went relatively quick and soon they were being escorted up to their suite by a Disney cast member. 

“A suite?! You’re kidding, right?!  How are we affording a suite?  I mean, I know my album is doing well but even I can’t afford this yet.” Alexis exclaimed as she and her sisters stepped into the suite.

However, it wasn’t just a suite, it was a princess themed suite.  Everything about the room was princess themed.  Even the faucets which were made to look like the magic lamp in Aladdin.  In truth, it took Alexis back to her childhood.

“WE aren’t affording anything.  The room is being taken care of by someone else.” Michelle explained.

“Who?” Alexis asked.

Then she made a face.

“Oh, wait, let me guess, you can’t tell me?” Alexis huffed.

Michelle giggled and shook her head.  “No, we can’t tell you but I think if you thought about it hard enough you would figure it out.”

April laughed.  “I don’t think you would even have to think about it very hard.”

Alexis shook her head and smirked.  “Josh! Josh did this, but why?”

April smiled but didn’t answer the question.  “It’s getting late, it’s been a long day and I don’t know about you two, but I am starving.  I say we get comfy, order some room service and then call it a night tomorrow is going to be a busy day.”

“Yes! Let’s order food! I haven’t eaten all day!” Michelle agreed.

It was obvious that April and Michelle weren’t going to give her any more information so rather than start an argument Alexis decided to just play along for now.

“Fine! I’m hungry and I really don’t want to fight so let’s order food.” Alexis agreed.

Within 30 minutes food had been ordered and delivered.

“This room…” Alexis started between bites of food.

“I know, right?!” Michelle giggled.

“Do you remember when we used to dress up and come to the Magic Kingdom with Mom & Dad?” April sighed smiling.

Alexis giggled.  “Yeah, Dad said we were going to break the bank because we always insisted on getting more princess gear every time we came.”

“Who was your favorite? I can’t remember?” Michelle replied, directing her question towards April.

“Aurora! Always! I mean, that dress, the way it went from pink to blue.  I was so jealous!” April laughed.

“Who was yours?” Alexis asked Michelle.

“Ariel! A castle on the beach…sounds perfect to me.” Michelle giggled flopping back on the pillows.

“What about you, Lexi?” April asked directing her focus towards her twin.

“Belle! Definitely, Belle!  I just loved how fearless she was, and yeah, that dress is iconic!”

“So, you do like dresses?!” April teased giving Michelle a look.

Alexis laughed. “For some things, yes.”

“Good to know.” April said grinning.

For the next hour or so the girls talked and ate like it was old times and they were back in their childhood home.  Then, sometime after midnight they all crashed, not bothering to even get under the covers.

At about 7:30 a.m. an alarm went off on Michelle’s phone signaling it was time to get up. 

“Make it stop!” Alexis groaned from the bed.

“Nope! Time to get up, we’ve got places to be.” Michelle giggled hopping out of the bed.

“If this is a repeat performance of yesterday where you can’t tell me anything I think I’ll pass.  I will just stay here at the hotel and sleep.”

“Not happening! C’mon, get up.  Get in the shower.  Today is going to be great.” Michelle laughed.

“Is she always this cheery at an ungodly hour?” April groaned from the 2nd bed.

“Yup. Pretty much!” Alexis snickered as she pushed herself up to sit.

“Ugh! Thank GOD she is your roommate and not mine.” April replied.

Michelle just laughed more and shook her head.  Really, her sisters were more alike than even they realized.  This was just further evidence of that.

“C’mon both of you, get up, one of you get in the shower and let’s get moving.” Michelle insisted.

“Fine! Fine! I’m up!  Don’t get your Victoria’s Secrets in a wad!” Alexis huffed as she stumbled towards the bathroom.

Given that she didn’t really know what her sisters had planned Alexis decided to take a more thorough shower.  She wanted to be up for anything and she wanted to look decent just in case she was spotted by fans or they decided to do something special in the park. 

When she stepped out of the shower to dry and get dressed there were clothes already waiting for her.  A pair of cute, low-rise jeans that were faded and distressed perfectly.  A pair of Addidas tennis shoes with a light purple swish and a matching light purple t-shirt with a silhouette outline of Belle, Ariel, Jasmine and Mulan and the words #SquadGoals in black on the front.  On the back were the words “Alexis D.” Then, to complete the outfit a pair of pale purple Minnie Mouse ears.

Giggling a bit and shaking her head, Alexis put on the outfit and then carefully styled her hair and put the ears on before walking back into the bedroom portion of the suite.

“Was this your doing?” Alexis asked, nodding to April.

“Yes, and No.  I ordered the outfits, what with the show I didn’t have time for anything else.”

Alexis nodded. It made sense.  Then, a thought occurred to her.

“Wait?! Outfits?! As in plural?!” Alexis replied.

“You’ll see.” April replied with a grin as she headed for her turn in the shower.

An hour later all three girls were standing in the suite dressed and ready for a day in the Magic Kingdom.  Just as Alexis had suspected, Michelle and April had matching outfits.  April’s was pale blue with the name “April D.” on the back and Michelle’s was a seafoam green with the words “Michelle R.” on the back of hers, and each girl had a pair of matching ears to complete the ensemble.

“Matchy-matchy, huh?! What are we 10?!” Alexis teased.

“We look cute, quit complaining.” April smirked.

Alexis just laughed and shook her head.  “Yeah, ok, we look cute, can we go now?”

“Yes, let’s go…before the line at “It’s A Small World” gets crazy long!” Michelle squealed.

“It’s A Small World?” Alexis asked surprised.

Truthfully, she didn’t think that either of her sisters had remembered that family tradition but apparently, she was wrong.

“Yup! Moretti family tradition! Now, let’s go!” Michelle said before grabbing her sisters both by hand and dragging them towards the elevators.

Alexis smiled and nodded. “Ok, let’s go.”

Together the three girls spent most of the day in the park.  They did almost every ride together.  Posed for more pictures with more characters than Alexis could possibly count and just had a blast.  Truthfully, what Alexis remembered the most was the laughter.  She couldn’t remember a time when she had this much fun or laughed this much with both of her sisters.  It was a great day.

“Where to now?” Alexis asked as they were coming off “Pirates of the Carribean.”

It was nearing sunset, meaning it was almost dinner time and therefore, the next step in JC’s plan.

Michelle looked down at her watch briefly then up at April and nodded.  It was time!

“How about some dinner?” April suggested with a wink to Michelle.

Alexis nodded. “Yes! Please! Dinner sounds AMAZING!  Those Spring Rolls we had at lunch seem like ages ago.  Where do we want to go?”

Michelle grinned.  “How about “Be Our Guest?!”

Alexis gave her sister a curious look.  Both Michelle and April were being weird again, which could only mean something was up.

“Don’t you need a reservation for that place?” Alexis replied.

She had decided to just go with it.

“Not tonight.” April smirked.

“Umm…ok…sure…I’ve always wanted to try it.”

Smiling like giddy school girls April and Michelle both took Alexis by the hand and started leading her to towards Fantasy land and the restaurant. 

At the entrance both girls stopped then slowly let go of Alexis’s hands.  Powered by a force she didn’t recognize or even notice Alexis kept walking.  She walked all the way through the entrance and right up to the main entrance to the Grand Ballroom.  It looked just like the movie and she gasped.

For a moment she froze.  It was a restaurant, so there should be tables all around but the Ballroom was empty or nearly empty.

Not knowing what to do or where to turn Alexis turned back to look for her sisters but they were gone.  They had literally disappeared.

When she turned back her breath immediately caught in her throat.

There, standing in the center of the ballroom floor, dressed in a perfectly tailored black suit and tie was Josh. 

“Do you want to tell me what’s going on?” Alexis asked as she tried to swallow the lump in her throat.

JC smiled and shook his head.  “No, but if you come here, I’ll show you.”

Nervously, Alexis stepped closer until she was standing directly in front of him.  Her heart was pounding and her knees were shaking but she was trying to stay calm.

“Are you ready Pretty lady?” He asked with a smile.

“Ready for what?” Alexis asked, her voice a whisper.

Again, JC smiled, then without another word he got down on one knee in the center of the ballroom and pulled a velvet box from his pocket.

Trying not to tear up himself he opened the box to reveal the ring inside and held it out to her.

“Are you ready to be my wife?” He asked.

“Excuse me?!” Alexis gasped as her heart began to ram into her chest.

JC couldn’t help but chuckle.  Her reaction was not at all surprising and he wasn’t upset about it either.  It was exactly what he’d come to love about her.  She was always keeping him on his toes.

“Will you marry me Alexis Danielle Moretti?” He asked again.

A wave of emotions washed over her as tears started to spill down her cheeks.  Suddenly, her sisters’ words made sense. 

Giggling, crying and nodding all at once Alexis found her voice enough to answer him.

“Yes, yes Joshua Scott Chasez. I will marry you!” Alexis replied.

From the faux balconies above cheers and applause erupted around her.  Alexis laughed and cried as she looked up to see her sisters, her parents, the other members of *NSYNC, JC’s family, Lonnie, Kenny and Dre all cheering.  Meanwhile JC was slipping the ring on her finger.

“I love you Lexi!” JC said before kissing her softly.

“I love you more Josh!”

“Not possible.” JC chuckled before kissing her again.

“We’ll see.” Alexis teased before popping a third kiss on him.

“You bet we will Pretty lady!” JC grinned.

***

The Epilogue- One year later

Justin Timberlake was seated behind a sound board bobbing his head and grooving as he pushed buttons on a control panel.  For the first time in quite a while he was producing again and he was excited.  This song was going to be FIRE!

Then again, he was a bit partial towards the artists involved but even so, it was a great song.

Smiling he let the track fade out and then pushed the button to talk.

“Should we try it just one more time?” Justin asked.

“Sure, if you think so J?  Did it sound off?” A familiar voice echoed from beyond the glass.

“No way!  Not a chance! You two sound HOTT! I just want to make sure all the levels are on point!”

“Oh, ok! I trust you!”

“What do you say Pretty lady? Should we do it once more?” JC asked turning to his duet partner standing next to him.

Alexis grinned and nodded.  “Sure.  Sounds like a plan to me.”

“Ok, the lady says once more, so, let’s do it.” JC replied into his mic.

“Alright, from the top then?”

JC and Alexis both nodded, placed the headphones back on their heads, then turned to face each other.

“I love you!” JC mouthed just before the song started to play back in his ears.

 

Tell Me How I’m Supposed to Breathe with no air

Ooh, oh, no

If I should die before I wake

It's 'cause you took my breath away

Losing you is like living in a world with no air, oh

I'm here alone, didn't wanna leave

My heart won't move, it's incomplete

Wish there was a way that I can make you understand

But how (How) do you expect me (Me)

To live alone with just me? (Me)

'Cause my world revolves around you

It's so hard for me to breathe

Tell me how I'm supposed to breathe with no air (No air)

Can't live, can't breathe with no air

That's how I feel whenever you ain't there

It's no air, no air

Got me out here in the water so deep

Tell me how you're gon' be without me (Me)

If you ain't here, I just can't breathe

It's no air, no air

As soon as the song finished and Justin gave them the “all clear” signal JC leaned forward and placed a gentle kiss on Alexis’s lips.

Alexis giggled a bit as he pulled away then blushed and looked to Justin.

“How was it?” Alexis asked.

Justin grinned.  “GIRL!  You know I LOVE your voice and you and JC together, yeah, that HOTTNESS if I ever heard it!”

“SO, you’re saying you liked it?” Alexis teased.

“Liked it?! NO! I LOVE this song!”

Alexis laughed then looked down and placed a hand on her belly as a happy, but wistful smile tugged at her lips.

“Did you hear that little one? Your Uncle J just said Mommy and Daddy did good.”

Next to her, and behind the glass two pairs of blue eyes widened.

“Wait?! What?! Lexi are you pregnant?” Justin squealed through the microphone.

Alexis could only laugh and nod.  “Yup! You’re gonna be an uncle again Justin.”

Meanwhile, JC was still standing there in shock, his jaw nearly on the floor.

“Really?! For real?! No joke?! You’re pregnant?! Meaning I am going to be a Dad?” JC managed to get out.

Alexis smiled up at him, her eyes now brimming with tears.

“Yes, Josh! We’re going to have a baby!”

Immediately, JC swept Alexis into his arms, twirled her around the sound booth then kissed her before setting her back down on the ground.  Slowly, and gently he placed his hands on her belly and smiled.

“Hey there little one.  I’m your Daddy.”

“You’re totally having a girl!” Justin teased from the other side of the glass.

“As long as she looks like her mother that’s fine with me!”

 

End Notes:

I know that "Be Our Guest" restaurant didn't exist in 2006 but just go with me here.

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=3067