Beautiful Vacation by TeamChasez
Summary:

A peek at the Bass Family Christmas Vacation. Set in the Beautiful Trauma universe. 


Categories: Completed Het Stories Characters: JC Chasez
Awards: None
Genres: General, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: Beautiful
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 6010 Read: 85 Published: Jan 18, 2023 Updated: Jan 18, 2023
Story Notes:

This one short is set before the events in the epilogue of Beautiful Trauma. You do not need to read Beautiful Trauma to understand this story.

1. Chapter 1 by TeamChasez

Chapter 1 by TeamChasez

December 2014

 

"You wanna go again?" JC asked as McKenzie lifted her googles from her face resting them on her black helmet. He'd lost count of how many times they skied down Galloping Goose - one of the beginner slopes at the ski resort they were vacationing in Telluride.

 

To get ready for their Christmas vacation, he took McKenzie to Snow Summit, part of the Big Bear resort a few weekends once it opened in November. The mountain was better geared toward beginners and leaned more family friendly than Big Bear. He was able to teach McKenzie on those couple of Saturdays and Sundays mornings.  This way, she wouldn't be completely green when they arrived in Colorado. On one of those weekends away, Rachel came with them. While Rachel couldn't ski being 7 months pregnant, it was still a nice getaway. After skiing all afternoon, they'd spend Saturday checking out the shops in The Village and having dinner. It was perfect.

 

His plan worked. McKenzie picked skiing up quicker than he thought, though there still some stumbles. The first time she took a tumble on the slope his heart had lodged in his throat. He tried to stay with her as they went down the hill but she had gotten just a little farther ahead than he liked. She had lost her balance and tumbled, then laid still. When he skidded to a stop next to her he was relieved to see the smile on her face.

 

‘Least Mom wasn't here to see that.'

 

JC was so surprised he barked out in laughter as he helped her to her feet. From then on, he stayed close just in case.

 

At one point, in the back of his mind, JC feared he'd bore quickly on the easy slopes. He was wrong. Thankfully. It was fun to be part of someone else's fun. To teach someone something that he loved. He and McKenzie have been doing that a lot. Not only did they both mess around on the piano together, but he started teaching her the guitar. He couldn't wait for Christmas morning when she unwrapped her very own guitar. It took him months to find the right one.

 

He couldn't wait for Christmas morning in general. It was shaping up to be his favorite vacation ever. What started out as him tagging along with the Bass family morphed into a huge family affair. The entire Bass family was there with Diane and Jim, Lance and Michael, Stacy, Ford, and their three kids. Then his parents jumped on the trip along with his Tyler, Sarah, Heather, and Drew. Lastly, the Fatones - Joey, Melissa, Briahna, Kloey, and Caleb. It was a crazy affair. Loud. Boisterous in the huge Airbnb they rented for the two week winter break. Check in on Sunday had been complete chaos as they tried to get rooms situated and just find their way around in the massive house.

 

While JC was happy to have everyone near for the Christmas holiday, part of him couldn't help but be a little sad to miss out on the small intimate Christmas morning with just him, Rachel, and McKenzie. Their first Christmas together. Christmases were usually quiet affairs. He stayed with his parents. Presents waited until his brother and sister arrived for brunch. The day would grow louder with the arrival of his siblings. Usually because it would be months since he'd seen them last. The magic of Christmas was still there, but not like it would be in a houseful of kids excited that Santa had arrived. While McKenzie didn't believe in Santa anymore, he was certain Christmas with her and Rachel would still be magical. McKenzie would still be just as excited for the presents under the tree at fourteen as she was at four

 

Rachel really had to curb his shopping. He wanted to buy everything on McKenzie's list and then some. From the moment the calendar rolled into September he started browsing and making notes on gift ideas. Not only did December bring Christmas, but McKenzie's birthday as well. Twelve days before Christmas, he didn't want to cheapen it by taking gifts earmarked for the holiday. He wanted to make sure it was special. After all, he missed ten years of gift giving as an honorary uncle. Something McKenzie brought up every so often in a teasing manner.

 

Now he was being upgraded from honorary uncle to Stepdad. Invitations already went out for the 19th of April. Never did he think he would be getting married in Mississippi of all places. When Rachel softly mentioned the church where her parents were married during a discussion on locations, he knew immediately it was where the wedding would take place.  

 

"Nah," McKenzie shook her head. She reached up and grabbed the zipper of her ski jacket. The rush of cool air into her coat when she pulled the zipper down a few inches felt amazing. She'd been surprised how much skiing made her sweaty and hot. If it was safe to do, she would have taken off her coat and just lay in the snow. "You sure you didn't want to go to the bigger slopes with Uncle Lance and Uncle Tyler?"

 

Lance and Tyler, along with Michael, had taken a few runs with them on the beginner slope before moving on to one more advanced. Ford was still skiing with his kids on the same slope. So JC could have passed McKenzie off if he really wanted to, but he didn't. There was plenty of time to hit the other slopes with the guys sans kids. It was already in the planning stages. Sort of a guys day with him, Lance, Michael, Ford, Tyler, Joey, and Drew. There was also a sans kids day skiing so spouses could ski together. With Rachel pregnant and not able to ski, they planned on staying back to act as the parental supervision on all the kids. Mostly just Caleb. The other kids were old enough to fend for themselves. They just needed to make sure they didn't burn the place down. With Sarah pregnant as well, he wasn't sure what Tyler planned on doing that day.

 

"Whatcha got in mind?" JC lifted his own goggles to his helmet. He squinted against the brightness; the sun magnified by the white snow.

 

"I bet the cookies are done," McKenzie grinned conspicuously.

 

JC laughed and pulled the black glove off his left hand and pulled back the sleeve of his ski jacket, revealing the watch wrapped around his wrist. "Quarter til four, I bet there are lots of cookies done."

 

It was a tradition in the Bass Family for the women to spend a whole day baking all sorts of cookies for the holiday. The tradition started with Rachel's great grandmother. Gathering at the Bass house Rachel's Grandmother, Diane, Stacy, Rachel, Leyton and McKenzie would bake everything from chocolate chips to cutouts to peanut butter blossoms to thumbprints and gingerbread men. His mother baked cookies during the holidays but not to the magnitude Rachel described. They weren't going to let a vacation stop them. This year the Bass women enlisted his mother, Sarah, Heather, and Melissa to join in the festivities. McKenzie and Leyton were given the year off.  JC figured it had a little to do with too many people and a lot to do with the inappropriate topics that would no doubt come up and the wine he saw on the table.

 

Tomorrow they planned to decorate the cutouts. Before they tackled the candy canes, bells, angels, and whatever other shapes were used, everyone would get an ugly sweater cookie to decorate. The cookies would get judged later. He wasn't sure what the winner received but he couldn't wait. It sounded like a fun time.

 

"You wanna head back?"

 

"Can we?"

 

JC nodded. "Yeah," he reached into his pocket for his phone. "Let me text the others and let them know."

 

"Oh, should we wait and just go back all together?" McKenzie asked as they started back toward the lodge.

 

"No. Who knows when everyone will get here."

 

When they reached the lodge, they took a seat at an empty outside table. McKenzie leaned over and took her skis off before unfastening her helmet strap. Sitting the helmet on the table, she put her gloves in them before she pulled the toboggan off and rubbed her forehead.

 

"You okay?" JC paused taking his own skis off when he saw McKenzie's movements.

 

"What? Yeah. Head is just itchy from the hat."

 

"You sure?" JC asked again. McKenzie had fallen only a couple times today. Each time it looked to be on her butt but he didn't want to take any chances. "You're not hurt anywhere are you?"

 

"I'm fine JC," McKenzie rolled her eyes. "Seriously. It's just itchy from having the hat on. It's already gone."

 

"We get back home, we'll have to hit up Big Bear more. Then by next year we'll move to the intermediate tracks."

 

"I will maybe but not you," McKenzie grinned at him. She removed her sunglasses from her coat pocket and slipped them on her face. After she stuffed her hat in her pocket she slipped her gloves back on.

 

"And why not me?" JC asked as he in turn situated his gear so they could walk to the front of the lodge where they'd catch a shuttle back to their place.

 

"Because you'll be teaching mom on the bunny slopes."

 

JC laughed. "I don't think I'll be able to persuade your mom to get on skis."

 

"She seemed pretty okay with it when we decided to come here. Of course that was before you knocked her up."

 

JC laughed loudly. "Sorry?" He grinned. A feeling of pride washed over him as it had every time he thought about Rachel pregnant with his child. Only a little over a month to go and he'd be a dad. He gave McKenzie a sideways glance. Officially be a dad anyway. To him, he was McKenzie's father from the moment she stood in his living room, clutching Lance's phone like a life line staring at him with tear filled eyes. Maybe even before then.

 

He was going to adopt her. It was just a matter of when. Research had already been done. He already spoke with his lawyer. Right now, he and Rachel felt it would be better to wait until they were married before filing the petition. They both felt it would help their case more. The final detail would be talking with McKenzie. He wouldn't petition the court for adoption if she wasn't okay with it. He knew she didn't have an objection but there was a small voice in the back of his head that cut through every so often.

 

"Hey," JC nudged her shoulder as the shuttle came to a stop in front of them. "You know I love you?"

 

"But of course," McKenzie grinned as she handed her skis to JC to load into the van after he put his inside. "What's not to love?"

 

JC laughed and shook his head as he climbed into the van after her. What could he even say to that?

 

*~*

 

"Oh God," McKenzie groaned as she stood at the bottom of the deck stairs that would lead up to a patio and the front doors. Those doors would open to the main level with the kitchen and living room.  "I can smell them from here..." she took a deep breath in breathing in the sugary concoction that seemed to hang in the air.

 

"Kenz..." JC started as McKenzie started up the stairs. Beneath the stairs leading up to the main living area, were another set of doors that opened to ground level. While there were a few bedrooms downstairs as well as a game room and living room, there was also a room full of lockers to store ski gear. Made simple and convenient right through the doors so no one had to carry all their gear through the house or store it in their rooms. His future stepdaughter was carrying all her gear to the second floor completely disregarding the lockers they'd pulled the gear from just that morning.

 

With a look at the ground level doors, JC sighed and followed McKenzie up the stairs. The aroma grew stronger at the top. He breathed in and his stomach growled. When McKenzie struggled with the door and her skis, he reached above her to hold it open for her.

 

"Cookies!" McKenzie exclaimed. The huge kitchen island was covered with every type of cookie imaginable. Each laid out in near little rows on wax paper. Her eyes glanced to the left and the dining room table where more cookies waited. She let her skis clatter to the ground along with her helmet.  "You get the milk."

 

"Stop right there!"

 

JC grinned at Diane's sharp words and McKenzie's groan. He wasn't sure where his future mother-in-law came from but she was soon standing in front of them. She crossed her arms, one of her eyebrows arching as she looked at them. He straightened at the look. He'd been on the receiving end of a mother's look before. He quickly started going through his head on what he could have done to get it from Diane.

 

"You pick up your stuff and go put it where it belongs right now young lady."

 

"Can't I have just one a cookie?" McKenzie pleaded. She huffed when her Grandma doubled down on the look. "Fine," she sighed heavily and bent down to pick up her ski gear.

 

JC stepped to the side and held the door to let McKenzie go back outside and down the stairs. It was the easiest way than going through the house. He was chuckling when he turned back around. His laughter turned into a cough upon seeing Diane still standing there staring at him.

 

"You were gonna let her leave her things on the floor in front of the door so everyone will trample over them when they walked in?" Diane raised an eyebrow pursing her lips as she stared at her daughter's fiancée.

 

"I was gonna do the same," JC said sheepishly, ducking his head. "The smell of your delicious baking just grabbed hold and I had no control. It was gonna float me to the kitchen."

 

Diane's eyes sparkled with mirth at JC's words. "Put your stuff away or no cookies."

 

"Yes Ma'am," JC gave Diane a mock salute and followed McKenzie down the stairs. "I can't believe you got me in trouble," he teased when they reached the door to the ground level.

 

"Don't worry," McKenzie stood to the side as JC opened the door for her to enter first. "I heard Uncle Michael, Uncle Ford, and Uncle Lance talking about you being Gramma's favorite son."

 

JC laughed as he walked into the locker area. None of the lockers were assigned to anyone. Basically the rule was pick an empty locker for your items and don't leave anything on the floor. Joey had threatened the kids if he found anything on the floor in the room, he'd throw it out in the snow and you had to fetch. He wouldn't put it past his former band mate to dig through lockers and toss items into the snow as a joke. "I doubt that is true. Ford has been around forever and Lance and Michael just got married.

 

And wasn't that a mess. Not the wedding. That was beautiful if not a little eccentric. The logistics of having to fly out the following day on vacation. Lance's wedding was supposed to be earlier in the year but they were taping it for a TV special. What that meant was they were at the mercy of the network and the network pushed their date back to December. Their vacation had already been planned and paid for. They gave Lance the out since he should have been on a honeymoon, but he and Michael decided to come and honeymoon later.

 

"Uncle Ford called Michael a shiny new toy. Michael called him a trusty stead."

 

McKenzie's words caused JC to laugh. Ford and Stacy were high school sweethearts. Married in 1997. So he could see the merit of Michael's description of Ford. "Those are both pretty apt descriptions. How does that make me your grandma's favorite?"

 

McKenzie shrugged. She slipped her boots off putting them on the floor inside the locker. Her skis were already leaning inside. Her helmet with her goggles still wrapped on it, her gloves, and toboggan went to the floor with her boots. Next came her jacket - a splotchy dark blue, pink, and light blue. Her snow pants were a simple black. Hanging both items, she reached into her pants to grab her phone. "I'm not sure. Briahna and Leyton came in and we went to play pool. I whipped Keegan's butt. He owes me five bucks."

 

"Alright," JC high-fived her. He shut the locker after all his gear was placed inside. "You think we can sneak cookies now?"

 

"Oh man, I hope so!" McKenzie wanted to eat a few cookies and then go and change. Maybe take a shower. The long sleeve shirt and leggings she had on felt sticky. She gave her shirt a shake and it helped a little. Maybe she'd just swipe some cookies and head to the room she shared with Briahna and Leyton.

 

"I think I could smells these at the top of the slope," McKenzie stared at the cookies laid out on the kitchen island. She took a big whiff of the air. "I don't even know which to taste first."

 

There were chocolate chip lined up on the edge. Peanut butter behind them. Peanut butter blossoms the third cookie in line. A row of snickerdoodles and gingersnaps and pinwheels. Cutouts, red velvet, double chocolate chip, peppermint bark and more.

 

"You guys weren't kidding when you said cookie baking was a big deal," JC stared at the assortment. Like McKenzie, he wasn't sure which one he wanted to try first. They all looked delicious. It was a good thing he was more active now. McKenzie was constantly doing something: shooting hoops, practicing her spikes and serves against the side of the garage, running through their neighborhood. He found himself outside a lot shooting hoops, tossing up balls for McKenzie to spike, running with her. Far more active than he had been in years. He was sure his doctor would be pleased at his next checkup.

 

"I'll take this for dinner," McKenzie grabbed one of the short juice glasses from the cupboard. "You want one?" She asked JC and grabbed another when he nodded.

 

"Where is all this going to go for dinner?" JC looked around. The entire counter and table were covered in cookies. They needed both locations for everyone to have a place to sit.

 

"I'll set up a couple serving trays with a few of each and the rest will go into containers." Diane explained. A smile teased her lips as she watched McKenzie pour herself and JC a glass of milk. The relationship between her granddaughter and JC had continue to grow seemingly from the moment they met while McKenzie was selling Girl Scout cookies. A little stumbling after that fateful spring break trip in Mississippi just seemed to make the bond stronger. Now that their children were dating, she spoke to Karen often. Especially in the last couple of months leading up to this trip. There was a lot of logistics going in to feeding twenty-five people. Karen told her how JC stepped in without thought after Rachel's accident. How he took care of McKenzie. How he was scared of messing up and not doing the right thing. Fearful he would do something to cause their injuries to worsen. Hearing the story made her love him that much more. She did thank God after for putting him back in her daughter's life. Now there was a new baby coming next month and a wedding in four. It may have been the wrong holiday, but there was a lot to be thankful for.

 

"JC said I might be able to try one of the intermediate slopes before we leave."

 

"I said maybe," JC quickly said feeling put on the spot. "And it wouldn't be until one of the last days. Plus I have to check them out first to see if they'd be okay for you."

 

"Same thing," McKenzie shrugged with a grin as she dropped the last bite of her chocolate chip cookie in her mouth.

 

"It is not!" JC narrowed his eyes at her. "Stop trying to get me in trouble."

 

"I told you," McKenzie gathered up her remaining cookies with one hand and her milk in the other. Seeing the look on JC's face, she giggled. "You're Gramma's favorite..."

 

JC stared after McKenzie as she left the room with the parting shot. He shook his head meeting Diane's eyes. "Parenting was probably easier when you could still hold Santa over their heads..."

 

Diane laughed and patted JC on the shoulder. "The teenage stuff is hard and you dived right into the middle of it."

 

"Yeah," JC grinned. He finished off the peanut butter cookie and the last of his milk putting his glass in the sink. His hand barely left the glass before he rinsed it out and put it in the dishwasher. He didn't need any more looks from Diane. With the task finished, he turned from the counter intending to find Rachel.

 

"She's taking a nap," Diane said knowingly. "I figured you put your things away and sneak upstairs."

 

"The cookies were too much to pass up. Is she okay?" It wasn't uncommon for Rachel to take a nap. She tired more easily the further along she got in her pregnancy. Baking all day was bound to tire her out. He wished they could sneak away later and relax in the hot tub but that was out. Maybe they could curl up under a blanket next to the fire pit outside on the back deck.

 

"Oh yeah," Diane brushed off JC's concerns. "She just wore herself out. We forced her to go lay down when she tried to clean up. A little fair warning though..." Her eyes moved around the room and toward the stairs to the upper floor where her daughter's bedroom was located. With it clear, she looked back at JC. "It might be because she's overly tired, but her pregnancy hormones are on a roll."

 

"Tears?" Over the last seven months she had been prone to many tearful outbursts. Rachel would cry over the silliest of things. Not that he'd call them silly within her hearing distance. He wasn't an idiot.

 

"We had to take away the bowl of dough she was mixing before she made it too salty." Diane failed at hiding a smile. She remembered pregnancy hormones all too well.

 

JC's own lips trembled as he tried - and failed - to hold back a smile. "I hope you didn't tell her that."

 

"Stacy did." Diane gave up and chuckled softly. "Rachel nearly threw an egg at her. Oh," she reached into her pocket producing the object she grabbed from the rim of the sink after clean up. "Here."

 

"What's that?" JC asked. When Diane held her hand out, grasped in her fingers was the engagement ring he'd given Rachel six months ago. The diamond glittered under the kitchen lights. "Why Diane, you're a married woman."

 

"Oh you!" Diane swatted JC's chest feeling a blush sweep across her face. "She forgot to take it off and it got covered in dough. Which set off more tears. Stacy got it cleaned up but Rachel was already laying down."

 

After making sure Diane didn't need anything, he made his way up the stairs to one of the master suites, Rachel's engagement ring firmly in his hand. Opening the door slowly and as quietly as he could, he slipped inside. The room was a washed in semi-darkness from the lingering late afternoon sun. Rachel lay curled up on the side of the bed with her knees bent, one band tucked beneath the pillow. Her other hand rest upon her belly. He knew he probably shouldn't disturb her, but it was too tempting.

 

Crawling onto the bed, JC curled up behind her. His chest rested against her back. Her bottom nestled against his hips. His knees bent with hers. He worked an arm beneath the pillows and her head. His other arm rest over hers on her protruding belly. He nuzzled the back of her neck, pressing a light kiss on the skin. When she shifted he tightened his arms around her, pressing another kiss to her neck. 

 

"What time izzit?"

 

"Around four thirty," JC responded. He moved his fingers back and forth over Rachel's belly, hoping he'd be rewarded with a kick. "Everyone is still out on the slopes. Kenzi and I came back. We could smell the cookies and the pull was too strong."

 

Rachel smiled and wiggle back, pressing herself closer to him. She gripped his hand and hugged his arm to her chest. "Were you able to sneak any?"

 

"Your Mom was standing guard. Kenzi and I were chastised for coming in through the front door with all our gear. She made us turn around and march right back out."

 

"Oh," Rachel laughed softly. "That's a big no-no for Mom. I can't believe you would try to leave your stuff laying right there."

 

"It wasn't my fault. It was the pull of the cookies."

 

"Were you able to snatch any?"

 

"After we put our things away like good little boys and girls."

 

"Lance was right. You are the favorite."

 

"How do you figure?"

 

"Mom said no one was getting cookies until after dinner."

 

"Well not only was I able to get milk and cookies, I think we got engaged," JC moved his hand off her belly and up under the pillow where his other hand lay hidden. Switching the ring to that hand, he pulled it back out, holding it with his thumb and pointer finger. "She gave me a ring."

 

"Oh... well... this is a turn of events I didn't see happening this trip." Rachel turned over onto her back so she could see JC's eyes. When she rolled he shifted upon his elbow. His brown hair was tussled most likely from his toboggan. Stubble peppered his cheeks. He hadn't shaved since the afternoon of Lance's wedding.

 

"I let her down gently. Told her that while I was flattered, I couldn't marry her. I was madly in love with her daughter."

 

"Oh," Rachel's eyes filled with tears for what seemed like the twentieth time today. "JC..." She lifted her left hand and wiggled her ring finger.

 

JC slid the ring on her finger like he had a few months ago. Rachel's eyes had been glossy with tears then too. With the ring back where it belonged he leaned down and kissed her. When he pulled back, he wiped a tear from her cheek with the pad of his thumb. "Don't cry."

 

"I can't help it," Rachel sniffled. She nudged JC's shoulder until he rolled onto his back. She scooted as close as she could laying her head in his shoulder. Her hand, with the returned ring, rested on his chest.

 

"I know," JC smiled and held her to him. One hand held hers on his chest while the other rest on her waist keeping her close. "I love you."

 

His declaration brought more tears and she buried her head in his chest. She let him hold her. She hated how she cried all the time. Pregnancy hormones gotten a strangle hold on her like it hadn't before. Maybe it had with McKenzie but instead the tears had been angry. Everything then had been anger. Anger and fear.

 

"Oh sweetie," JC laughed softly and held her tighter. He kissed the top of her head as he ran his hand up and down her back.  He hummed softly and let his eyes close, content to lay there and hold her. A tiny movement against his side caused his eyes to pop open. He stopped humming and sat up immediately.

 

"He heard you." Rachel took JC's hand and pressed it against her belly where the kick occurred.

 

JC moved down to her stomach and pushed the forest green long sleeve maternity shirt up revealing her stomach where his baby grew. His son. He leaned down pressing his lips to the taunt skin. Fingers ran through his hair as he traced his lips over Rachel's skin. "Hi baby, it's your daddy..."

 

Rachel fell more in love with JC every time he did this. From the moment the pregnancy app on his phone told him the baby could hear, he would speak to her belly often wanting the baby to know his voice. She continued to run her fingers through his hair. There was commotion outside her door as she heard Lance and Michael make their way down the hall to their room.

 

"I can't wait to meet you," JC whispered, ghosting his lips over Rachel's belly. "Everything is all ready for you. The nursery is done. The hospital bags are packed..."

 

"You better tell him to stay put for a few more weeks." Rachel gave JC's hair a little tug causing him to look up at her. "Need I remind you that my hospital bag is back home in California. Not here. And there is still four weeks of baking time."

 

"You heard your mommy. No coming early. Wait until we get home at least. Though it would be a pretty great Christmas present..."

 

JC's lips tickled against her skin. At his final words, she gripped his hair a little harder and pulled him back up her body. His smile showed her grip didn't hurt. His eyes twinkled with laughter.

 

"You're being rotten," Rachel tried glaring at him but found it hard to keep her lips pursed in a straight line. The fight was lost when he lightly kissed the top of her nose.

 

"I just can't wait until he's here." JC rested on his side next to Rachel, up on his elbow. He reached out and brushed her hair off her cheek. "I'm nervous and scared as hell, but excited."

 

Rachel smiled softly and palmed his cheek. "Welcome to being a parent."

 

JC turned his head and kissed her palm before holding her hand to his face. "I was thinking earlier we could sneak away and sit by the fire later tonight."

 

"Sounds lovely."

 

"Can't guarantee privacy though," JC said as more commotion and loud voices drifted into their bedroom. It sounded like the last of the lot returned from the slopes...or a herd of monkeys escaped from the zoo.

 

Rachel snorted. "There is more privacy in the middle of Times Square on New Years Eve than there is at this house. As long as we don't have to share a blanket with anyone else, I'm good."

 

"Now that, I can guarantee." JC leaned down to kiss her. Before he could there was a pounding on their door causing him to startle.

 

"Let's go C! You're not getting out of kitchen duty!"

 

"Times Square is looking nice." JC groaned, leaning their foreheads together.

 

Rachel giggled softly. "We could always lock the door. Pretend we didn't hear him."

 

"You think we could actually get away with that?" 

 

"Mom did send me to my room for pushing it to hard today. Maybe she'll keep everyone away." Rachel didn't think her mother would shoo JC away, but she couldn't be sure. All day Diane hovered making sure her daughter didn't overdo it. Making sure she was sitting. Eating. If it wasn't Diane, Karen was right there to pick up the slack. They both pretty much sent her to her room as soon as the last batch went into the oven. She had been pretty tired, not that she'd let them know. Not that they didn't know it already.

 

"You okay?" JC asked worriedly. He may tease about wishing his son would be born now, but he wanted the baby to stay nestled in Rachel's womb for as long as he could. Protected. Growing. Getting stronger.

 

"I'm fine," Rachel squeezed his hand as he sat up. "I was just tired."

 

"You want me to wake you when dinner's ready?" JC stood from the bed. He pulled Rachel's shirt back down over her belly after leaning down to press a final kiss to it. He looked around the room for the dusty pink Sherpa throw his fiancée insisted on bringing to cover her up. McKenzie called it her mom's security blanket. It was never far from reach. He had rolled his eyes lovingly but carefully packed it in their bags when Rachel's eyes had filled with tears at the thought of leaving it behind. Why she had latched into the blanket, he wasn't sure. He just made sure it was always in easy reach.

 

Rachel shook her head and held out her hand. "And miss the chance to watch you guys cook? No way. Help me up."

 

"Not like I haven't cooked for you a lot lately." JC grabbed her hand and helped her into a sitting position.

 

"Well," Rachel pressed on the top of her belly when she felt a leg go into her rib. She gave a small grimace of pain.

 

"You okay?" JC said quickly, crouching down in front of Rachel.

 

Rachel nodded. "Just a foot a little too far up. Guess he needed to stretch after his nap." She rubbed her belly and smiled at JC. "I'm okay. He moved his foot. Now, you have to cook. You don't want me in there doing it."

 

JC's lips twitched with a smile. Being pregnant had caused Rachel to become forgetful. He searched pregnancy brain online and knew what he was in for. He thought he was just in for searching for car keys and finding random items in the fridge. Forgetfulness and zoning out merged into cooking. There was burnt food, undercooked food, salty food... recipes that were declared state of emergencies. Recipes even a dog wouldn't eat - if they had one. In order to save them all, he took over the cooking, effectively banning Rachel from the kitchen.

 

"Maybe I'll keep you in the kitchen after the baby is born." With JC's help, she stood. She placed her hands on his chest, stepping as close as she could with her belly in the way.

 

"You just keep me around for my cooking," JC teased, placing his hands on her waist.

 

"Among other things," Rachel grinned. "I can't wait until we can get closer."

 

"I like where this conversation is going." JC took Rachel's hand in his as he slipped behind her and pulled her against his chest. His wrapped his arms around her waist and over her belly.

 

Rachel hummed in content and leaned back against JC. She placed her hands over his. "Maybe after cuddling by the fire."

 

"It's a date."

 

JC didn't know how their Christmas vacation could get any better.

 

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=3089