Blind Sight by angel_from_africa
Summary: Justin Timberlake had everything he could ever want, going blind was not one of those things..
Categories: Completed Het Stories Characters: Justin Timberlake
Awards: None
Genres: Drama
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 26 Completed: Yes Word count: 33325 Read: 52652 Published: Apr 11, 2007 Updated: Apr 12, 2007
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

1. Prologue by angel_from_africa

2. Why Me? by angel_from_africa

3. New Life by angel_from_africa

4. Trust Me by angel_from_africa

5. Opening Up by angel_from_africa

6. The Dream by angel_from_africa

7. Meet My Family by angel_from_africa

8. I Can't by angel_from_africa

9. Johnny's Decision by angel_from_africa

10. Who Am I? by angel_from_africa

11. They Know Me Better Than I Know Myself by angel_from_africa

12. Wanted To Listen by angel_from_africa

13. Words of Wisdom by angel_from_africa

14. A Genuine Smile by angel_from_africa

15. Progress by angel_from_africa

16. Proudness by angel_from_africa

17. Selfish Reasons by angel_from_africa

18. Baby Steps by angel_from_africa

19. A Little Bit of Relief by angel_from_africa

20. Wanting Another Chance by angel_from_africa

21. Loosing My Way . by angel_from_africa

22. Fighter by angel_from_africa

23. Offerings by angel_from_africa

24. Journey of Life by angel_from_africa

25. Settlement by angel_from_africa

26. Eplilogue by angel_from_africa

Prologue by angel_from_africa
Author's Notes:
Here is Blind Sight for all of you who read it over at the other archive..
He closed his eyes and hoped that when he re-opened them he would be able to see again. He hoped he’d be able to see his friends, his four brothers whom he’d spent the past ten years of his life with. But when he finally did open his eyes all he saw was black.

It had begun as a normal day, well normal for him, or what he’d become accustomed to. Get up, shower, change, hit the gym then head for the studio to record the new album. He never made it to the studio that day.
He should have listened to his mother when she told him to forget buying the bike, but he had been stubborn and didn’t listen. He never listened when he wanted something. In this case, that something had been the bike, so he’d brought it, now he regretted it.
He didn’t see the truck coming, then again he couldn’t really see anything, and he’d been going too fast. He had been hit by the rear and dragged a good five feet before he noticed the pain in his head. He hadn’t understood it because he’d definitely worn a helmet. But as the doctors explained, sometimes, even the best of helmets couldn’t help.
Now here he was, in hospital, hurt and wounded in the worst was possible. Here was the most loved man in the world, blinded by fate, here was Justin Timberlake.

The call about the accident had come in mid-morning and for Johnny Wright that was the time of day when everything was haywire in the office. But when he picked up the phone he hadn’t expected to hear what he had.
“Hello?”
“Mr Johnny Wright?”
“Yes, this is he. Who is this?”
“I’m Fanny Lee from Orlando General.”
“What does…”
“Sorry Mr. Wright, but to get straight to business. Do you know a Mr. Justin Timberlake?”
“Yes, he’s a client of mine, I’m his manager. Why?”
“Well, I’m sorry to inform you but there’s been an accident….”

“What do you mean an accident?” Joey Fatone asked minutes later.
“He was on his way here on the bike when he was hit by an eleven foot trailer truck,” Johnny explained to the other four boys trying not to break down himself as he told them what had happened.
“Oh God, is he okay? Say he’s okay,” JC Chasez, Justin’s best friend, asked with a panic in his voice. Johnny smiled weakly and placed a hand on the younger man’s arm and the boys all knew what he would say next wasn’t good.
“He’s alive,” Johnny began, “But he’s been badly injured…”
Why Me? by angel_from_africa
The voices that he heard were very familiar to him, he’d heard them his entire life. But not being able to see where they were coming from was the one thing that he hated.
“Mr Timberlake?” A male voice asked him, Justin sat up slowly and nodded.
“Yeah?” He asked wondering where in the room the voice was coming from.
“My name is Dr. Jake Halifax a specialist in brain and occipital lobe injury,” Dr Halifax said, Justin nodded.
“Okay…” Justin said unsure of where this was going.
“I will be your doctor for your entire time at Orlando General. Once you are well enough to walk you will be transferred to Bindle House Florida where you will begin you rehabilitation,” the doctor continued.
“What’s wrong with me? How come I can’t see?” Justin asked, the panic in his voice clearly showing.
“Mr Timberlake, you suffered a severe blow to the back of the head, which caused major damage to you occipital lobe, therefore causing you to loose you sight,” the doctor explained. Justin smiled weakly, feeling his chest clench up with pain.
“But I was wearing a helmet,” Justin said and he heard the doctor sigh.
“Yes Mr. Timberlake, but even the best of helmets can’t help. And in your case the material that the helmet was made from was very weak and caused breakage,” Dr. Halifax said.
“Will I be able to see again?” Justin asked almost afraid of what the answer would be, he heard the doctor sigh.
“No. I’m afraid not,” the doctor replied. “There is no possible way for you to regain you sight.” It was then that Justin’s whole world fell into pieces around him, and there was nothing he could do about it.

“What happened to him?” Joey asked when he and the other boys walked into the hospital where Justin had been taken to.
“He’s had severe brain injury,” the young lady said looking at her notes. “But I think you should talk to Doctor Halifax about that, he’s Mr. Timberlake’s doctor.”
“Is it bad?” JC asked and the young lady smiled.
“Honestly sir, I think you should talk to his doctor about that. I’ll go get him for you,” she said and then disappeared down a long corridor to go get the doctor.
“Shit, I can’t believe it,” Chris muttered as he took a seat next to Lance and put his head in his hands. “How could this happen?”
“Things like this happen everyday C,” JC said and looked around them, “This time it just happened to J unfortunately.”
“Mr Wright?” A tall man with grey hair asked coming out form one of the many doors. JC sat up straight as Johnny approached the man.
“Yes, that’s me,” Johnny said, “And you are?”
“Oh sorry, I’m Dr. Halifax, Mr. Timberlake’s doctor?” the man replied and Johnny nodded in understanding.
“Good to meet you, I’m Johnny Wright Ju- I mean Mr. Timberlake’s manager, and these are his friends,” Johnny replied gesturing to the other four men.
“Hello good to meet you,” Dr Halifax said shaking everyone’s hand. “Um, why don’t we go into my office and I debrief you? Mrs Harless said you’ll be coming.”
“Lynn’s been here?” Johnny asked with a concern for Justin’s mother. The doctor nodded and gave a small smile.
“Yes, she said that you would come with her son’s friends and would like to be filled in. Right this way,” the doctor said and gestured towards one of the corridors. Everyone got up and followed the doctor down the corridor and into one of the rooms on the right. “Have a seat,” the doctor said as they entered the room, everyone nodded and took a seat opposite the large desk.
“So what happened to J?” JC asked once everyone was sitting down. The doctor sighed and opened up one of his folders.
“Well Mr Timberlake, as you know was involved in a very traumatic accident which caused him severe head trauma and damage to his occipital lobe,” the doctor replied and looked at everyone.
“What does that mean?” Chris asked and the doctor smiled.
“Well the blow from the accident caused Mr. Timberlake to loose his sight,” Dr Halifax replied.
“But he’ll get it back right?” Joey asked and the doctor sadly shook his head.
“I’m afraid not, but in such cases we do admit the patients into facilities where they will be taught how to live with their new disability,” the doctor informed them.
“But then…” Lance began but couldn’t find the words.
“What will this do for the group’s image?” Johnny asked more to himself than anyone else.
“Well here’s the thing Mr Wright. If you were to look at Justin, you would think he could see but in reality he can’t,” the doctor explained.
“What does that mean?” Chris asked.
“It means that even though his eyes do not feel that they are blind, he knows it. His eyes will act like they can still view things, but all Justin will be able to see is black,” the doctor said, and Johnny sighed.
“And there’s no way he can regain his sight? Not even by operation?” Johnny asked and the doctor shook his head.
“No, we tried that when he came in,” the doctor said. “But unfortunately the blow to the head was too severe we could not do anything.”
“Oh God,” JC said finally, but he was loosing his breath.
“I’m sorry,” Dr Halifax replied, and truly he was. He looked at the five confused, and distressed faces and knew that what Mrs Harless had said was true. These boys were like brothers, and something like this could break them, it most probably had.

“Justin?” he heard his mother’s voice clearly and for the first time ever in his life he most probably wished he hadn’t.
“Yeah mom?” Justin asked his head moving from side to side in the direction of her voice. He felt the bed dent, and presumed she was sitting on the end.
“Honey, how are you feeling?” Lynn asked as she placed a hand on Justin’s. Justin managed a small smile for her, but really deep inside he was falling apart.
“I’m okay,” he managed to squeak. Even though he couldn’t see her, he knew she didn’t believe him.
“Really?” she asked and Justin nodded, he did not want his mother to think other wise.
“Yeah really,” he said. “So do the others know what happened?”
“Yes, they were told by Johnny,” Lynn replied, there was a slight pause. “They came by earlier but you were sleeping.”
“How long have you been here?” Justin asked wondering why he hadn’t known.
“A while,” she said, “Ever since yesterday, when they called and informed me about the accident.”
“So I was sleeping all that time?” Justin asked confused, sure he’d woken up only hours after the accident.
“Yes, you woke up this morning remember honey? Then you went back to sleep after you heard what the doctor had to say,” Lynn replied and Justin nodded, he remembered now feeling very upset by the news of his disability and had fallen asleep because of it.
“Yeah, I remember,” Justin said softly and turned his face away so she wouldn’t see him cry. He felt her hand on his chin as she gently turned it back towards her.
“Justin? Its okay honey,” Lynn said, “We’ll get through this.”
“But what about… What will my fans think?” He asked in a broken voice. He heard Lynn sigh, and felt her moving up the bed to hug him.
“They’ll understand,” she said as she embraced him in a hug.
“So it hasn’t gotten out to the media?” he asked hugging her back limply.
“No, not yet. But Johnny said he will release a statement once you’re out of hospital,” Lynn replied, Justin felt the tears choking him. “Justin, you’ll get the best care there is.”
“I don’t want the best care mom,” Justin whispered. “I just want to be normal.”
“Honey, I know you do. But you can never be normal, you’re Justin Timberlake,” Lynn tried to explain, Justin shook his head as tears stung his eyes.
“I know, but now, now it’s just wrong,” he said through tears. “Why me mom? Why me?”
New Life by angel_from_africa
The first time they actually interacted with Justin after the accident was a few days later, and even then it didn’t seem right. They came to the hospital and saw Justin in the bed, with a bandage around his head.
“Hey J,” JC said, he was the first one on them to speak. He walked into the room, closely followed by the other three. Justin’s head tilted up as he looked around him.
“Jayce?” Justin asked and JC nodded.
“Yeah J, it’s us,” he replied walking up to the bed and motioning for the others to follow.
“Us?” Justin asked still moving his head around.
“Yeah C, Joe, Lance and I. We all came,” JC said as he approached Justin and hugged Justin. “How are you J?”
“I’m okay,” Justin whispered moving his head to his chest. JC smiled and sat on one of the empty chairs near the bed.
“You sure?” JC asked and Justin nodded. There was a brief silence before anyone spoke.
“J?” Chris asked, walking up behind JC. Justin’s head shot up as he looked around.
“C?” Justin asked and Chris nodded.
“Yeah J, it’s me. I’m just glad you’re okay,” Chris said as he moved past JC and hugged Justin.
“Me too,” Justin whispered, but they all knew he wasn’t.
“No you’re not,” Lance said stating the obvious as he walked up next to Chris.
“Lance?” Justin asked, and Lance nodded embracing his younger friend.
“Yeah J. It’s okay, you’re gonna be okay,” Lance said not letting go of his friend.
“How can you be sure?” Justin asked, his voice small.
“We just do J,” Joey added pushing Lance aside so he could hug Justin as well. “It’s in your bones man.”
“Joe?” Justin asked, and Joey nodded. “I’m glad you guys came, but you shouldn’t have to see me like this.”
“We’ve seen you look worse J,” Joey said with a soft smile, and it made Justin laugh a bit.
“Oh yeah I forgot,” Justin said with a chuckle. But then the mood turned sombre once again as they fell into a silence.
“If there’s anything you need J,” Chris said after a while. “You know we’ll be there for you right?” Justin nodded silently but didn’t say anything.
“I know,” he replied after a while.
“When will they let you out?” JC asked, hoping it would be soon. Justin shrugged and moved his head to face at JC.
“They said I’ll be ready to go in a day or so. But I won’t go home, I’ll be sent to that rehabilitation center,” Justin said in a soft voice.
“That’s good,” Joey said and Justin shrugged.
“I guess,” he mumbled, but they all could tell he didn’t want to go.
“It is J,” JC said trying to reassure him. “Isn’t that the place where they’ll help you?” Justin nodded but didn’t say a word.
“Well then that’s good right?” Chris asked, “J, this is good like Joe said.”
“Yeah you’ll be helped and brought back to your old self,” JC said and Justin nodded not believing what his friends were saying.
“Um, look guys thanks for coming but I’m getting kindda tired,” Justin said falling back onto the bed. JC nodded and motioned for the others that they should leave.
“Yeah okay. It was good to see you J,” JC said and the others agreed. “We’ll come by later ok?”
“Yeah okay,” Justin said softly. “Bye.”
“Bye,” they all said at once and began to leave. They left Justin alone, all the time knowing that the man they left behind was not the man they had become accustomed to for the past ten years.

After a while Justin left the hospital, and was sent to Bindle House and his mood hadn’t changed. He’d become extraverted and quiet. No one really knew him anymore, and for the past few days before leaving the hospital he hadn’t really spoken more than a few words to people.
“Justin?” Mike, his body guard who had been asked to escort him to Bindle House, asked. “We’re here.”
Justin nodded as he felt the car come to a stop, he had no clue where he was, and he didn’t know if it was safe or not.
“J, it’s safe,” Mike said after a few minutes and Justin felt a hand on his shoulder, “Let’s go. Take my hand.” Justin nodded and felt around for Mike’s hand, he took it and was helped out of the car.
“Okay let’s do it,” Justin mumbled and Mike nodded. He led Justin up the steps and into the building. They entered the building, with Mike leading the way, and as they entered Justin swore he felt the stares on his back. He stopped mid-way to the reception. “Mike?”
“Yeah Justin?” Mike asked stopping as well and facing his boss.
“Are people staring?” Justin asked trying to hold back his tears. Mike sighed, and Justin knew he had the right feeling.
“No Justin they aren’t,” Mike said a bit hesitantly and Justin felt a hand on his shoulder, “Now come on. It’s okay.” Justin nodded slowly, trusting his bodyguard and let him lead him more.
“Okay,” Justin whispered, although he knew people were staring. They walked a few more feet and stopped. Mike took Justin’s hand and placed it on a cold hard surface. “What’s this Mike?”
“A desk Justin, we’re at the reception,” Mike said.
“Hi, how can I help you?” A new voice asked, a female voice.
“Um, hi. My name is Mike Roland I’m here with a Mr Justin Timberlake? We’d like to check in,” Mike said.
“Ah, yes, Mr Timberlake. Welcome. I’m Marci by the way,” the lady said and reached over the counter and placed her hand on Justin’s. Justin felt the coldness of her hand on his and immediately withdrew his hand, he was never one for touchy feely.
“Thanks,” Justin mumbled and turned his head away.
“Well, um, yes,” Marci’s voice said, “Um, why don’t we get you signed in then? You’ll be staying for a maximum of three weeks, in that time you’ll learn how to live with your disability as well as have group therapy. As well as group therapy, you’ll have your family and friends come visit twice a week for therapy as well to help them understand where you’re coming form. Your counsellor will be Dr Hart, any questions?”
“Yes,” Mike said once she’d finished. “The record label asked if I could stay here with him, for security purposes of course.”
“Um, we usually don’t allow…” Marci began but she was interrupted by another voice.
“Marci? Is this my new client?” Another female voice asked.
“Yes Dr. Hart, this is Mr. Timberlake, I’m just signing him in,” Marci replied.
“Ah Mr. Timberlake, I got a call about you welcome, and you must be Mike? Yes, they informed me that you would have to stay with Mr. Timberlake and yes, it’s fine,” Dr Hart replied, and Justin felt a hand on his shoulder. He reached up and touched the hand, realizing that it wasn’t Mike’s.
“Hi,” Justin said smiling slightly, the first time in days.
“Well then Marci will get everything organized and then you can come meet me in my office,” Dr Hart said, “It was nice meeting you Mr. Timberlake.”
“Justin, you can call me Justin,” Justin replied.
“Of course Justin. You too Mike, will you make sure you guys come to my office after sign in?” Dr Hart asked and Mike nodded.
“Yes doctor, nice to meet you to,” Mike said and then there was a pause, in which time Justin presumed the doctor left because the next thing he knew they were being signed in, to the longest three weeks of his life.

Dr Hart, or Melissa as her friends called her, let herself into the small side office and pulled her hair down. She walked over to the desk and turned on the computer, and opening up the file that had been faxed over to her this morning. She decided she’d better get a good background check on her new client and his circumstances as to why he was here.
Accident, the file said, with trauma to the head and damage to the occipital lobes. She sighed and felt the pain of the young man’s heart. Yes, she had been informed prior to his arrival as to who he was, but to her it was no big deal. He was here for help and support, and that she was going to give him. She continued glancing at the file, and stopped shortly after when there was a knock at her door.
“Yes?” she called not looking up from her file, the door slightly opened and her client’s bodyguard popped his head in.
“Dr Hart?” Mike asked with a slight smile. She looked up from her file and smiled.
“Ah, Mike, come on in. I suppose you’ve been checked in okay?” She asked, Mike nodded and pushed the door open a bit more so he and Justin could walk in. He smiled as he led Justin in and helped him sit down. “Hello Justin.”
“Hi,” Justin said as Mike removed the sunglasses that covered his eyes.
“How are you?” Dr Hart asked softly, and Justin shrugged but didn’t say anything. “How was check in?”
“It was good,” Mike replied for Justin, “Sorry he’s a bit shy. Never been one to open up to people he doesn’t know.” She smiled and nodded in understanding as Justin softly blushed.
“It’s okay I understand,” she replied, she picked up a pen and opened her file. “Well why don’t we get started?” Justin nodded softly and Mike smiled.
“Sure,” Mike replied for them and Dr Hart nodded.
“So Justin, how have you been handling your new situation?” Dr Hart asked, “I mean emotionally.”
“It’s been okay,” Justin replied but she knew he was lying. She could tell by the way his hands fidgeted that he was not coping as well as he’d have liked.
“Justin, we’re here to help you,” Dr Hart replied. “Why don’t we start by you telling me what you remember about that day?” Justin shrugged and moved his head so it seemed as if he was looking straight ahead.
“I got up, went to the gym, then the accident happened,” Justin replied like he had rehearsed the speech.
“Is that all you remember?” Dr Hart softly coaxed and Justin nodded.
“Yeah,” he said, but it was obvious he was not telling the truth. She sighed and let him have the benefit of the doubt and looked at her file.
“I see here your friends and family visited you in hospital, how was that?” She asked him and again he shrugged.
“It was nice that they came,” he said with a bit of hesitation.
“Will they be the ones visiting you while you’re here?” Dr Hart asked Justin softly, he nodded.
“Yeah I guess. Right Mike?” Justin asked his bodyguard.
Mike who had been silent all this time nodded, “Yeah Justin. They’ll all be here.” Mike looked at Dr Hart and gave her an apologetic smile.
“It’s okay. Um, well then, I guess that’s all for now. Why don’t you get settled in and I’ll talk to you again tomorrow once you’ve had time to familiarize yourselves with the place?” Dr Hart asked, Mike nodded and placed a hand on Justin’s shoulder who just shrugged.
“Okay,” Mike said and looked at Justin. “Justin? Shall we go to our room?” Justin nodded and felt around for the sunglasses Mike had taken off, as he did so Dr Hart noticed that his eyes moved in the direction to where Mike was but Justin himself didn’t know where he was looking.
“Well it was nice to meet you Justin, and you too Mike. I guess I’ll see you guys tomorrow then?” Dr Hart asked.
“Yeah,” Justin mumbled as he fumbled to put the sunglasses on. “Bye doctor.” That was his cue to Mike, Mike nodded and looked at the doctor.
“Thanks doctor, see you tomorrow,” Mike said and took Justin’s hand helping him out of the chair and out into the hallway.
“Bye guys,” Dr Hart called after them, and as her door closed she knew that this would be one tough guy to break.
Trust Me by angel_from_africa
Later on, as it was time for bed, Justin and Mike sat alone in their room, but Justin felt more alone than ever. Mike had long gone to bed, and Justin felt himself being awake by the older man’s light snoring. He smiled knowing that Mike had not deserted him, that he hadn’t been deserted. But even as he felt this, deep down inside he felt as if he had no one.
He closed his eyes, although he really didn’t know why and tried to sleep, but the words of everyone around him were still running through his head. They told him he would move on, but how could he? He was blind, unable to see anything or anyone and he was alone. He sighed and finally after a long time he felt himself drift off into an uneasy sleep. But he was still alone, and he would always be, for a long, long time.

“Justin wake up,” Mike’s voice called Justin opened his eyes, but only saw black and for a moment he panicked forgetting where he was.
“Mike? Mike? Where am I? What happened?” Justin asked sitting up and moving his head around hoping to see.
“Justin its okay,” Mike’s voice said in a reassuring tone, “You’re at the Center remember?” Justin felt Mike place a strong and on his chest to calm him down.
“Oh yeah,” Justin said after he realized what had just happened. “Sorry I forgot.” He bowed his head slightly and heard Mike sigh.
“It’s okay,” Mike said and Justin felt Mike get up from the edge of the bed. “Come on let’s get you ready for your first group session.” Justin looked up and shook his head.
“No, I don’t want all those people to see me like this,” Justin said adamantly. Mike nodded and placed a hand on Justin’s shoulder.
“I know you don’t, but it’s what they said was best,” Mike said and helped a reluctant Justin off the bed.
“I know what they said Mike, but I still have to think about my image,” Justin said, as Mike led him a few paces forward.
“Justin, you don’t have to worry about that here remember?” Mike replied as he led Justin to a stop. Justin heard a zipper being opened and someone ruffling through clothes.
“But the doctors…” Justin began and Mike sighed, the ruffling stopped as Justin felt Mike place warm clothes in his hands.
“The doctors don’t care about that, all they care about is you getting the help you need,” Mike replied and patted Justin’s back. “Okay Kiddo let’s do this.” Justin nodded and let Mike help him dress, once they were done Justin spoke.
“You’re sure no one will care?” Justin asked Mike.
“Yes Justin, no one will care. You’re all the same here,” Mike replied and took Justin’s hand. “Do you want to go to the session now?” Justin nodded and let Mike lead him out of the room. Justin didn’t know how long they’d walked but soon they came to a stop. “Justin, you can sit down.” Justin nodded and felt around behind him for a chair.
“Thanks Mike,” Justin said as Mike pushed the chair forward slightly so Justin could sit.
“No problems Kiddo, look I’m just going to be by the door ok? If there’s anything call me,” Mike said and Justin heard Mike’s footsteps walk away and for a moment he panicked.
“Mike wait,” Justin called feeling around him wildly.
“Yeah?” Mike asked as his footsteps came back.
“Don’t leave me,” Justin whimpered and felt a hand on his shoulder.
“I’m not leaving you, I’m right here,” Mike said in a calming voice. Justin heard Mike pull up a chair and a soft thud as the heavy set man sat down. “I’m right next to you kiddo.”
There was silence for a while and all Justin heard was Mike’s soft breathing next to him, so he presumed he was the only person in the room apart from Mike. Soon the nice silence was disrupted by more footsteps and Justin sat up alert.
“It’s okay Justin,” Mike said realizing Justin’s panic and placed a hand on his shoulder. “It’s just the other patients.” Justin seemed to calm down a bit and nodded as more footsteps entered and the noise in the room grew, the whole time not letting go of the grip that he had on Mike’s hand.
“Hello everyone,” a voice Justin recognized said. “I’m Dr. Hart, your counsellor for the time you’ll be here. Why don’t we begin by introducing ourselves? Jane would you like to start?” Justin smiled at the fact that there was another familiar voice in the room but as they went around introducing themselves he wondered what he was going to say. Usually he knew what to say in front of a crowd, when he could see them. But now he couldn’t, and that was the most uneasy feeling in the world.
Opening Up by angel_from_africa
An hour or two later, Justin was still not feeling like himself. He’d introduced himself to the group and after many ‘ahh’ and ‘ohhh’ he was allowed to sit back down again. He knew these people didn’t know what he looked like, but they’d heard of him. He was Justin Timberlake, one fifth of Nsync. One of the most eligible bachelors in the world, who was now blind.
He received a call from his best friend Trace, even this wasn’t allowed, but seeing as he was who he was, he got the privilege. Trace hadn’t been able to see Justin since before the accident because he had been away in a remote part of the world with Elisha, his fiancée, and didn’t know what had happened but once he’d heard what had happened he came right back.
“J, I need to see you make sure you’re ok,” Trace said to Justin, Justin smiled hearing his friend panic.
“It ok Trace, I’m fine,” Justin said calmly but really he wasn’t and Trace knew it.
“J don’t lie to me. I’ve known you all our lives, you’re not fine,” Trace said, “I’m coming to see you. When’s the family and friends meeting?”
“I don’t know, Mike says tomorrow at like three, you can come then,” Justin replied giving in, he didn’t want his best friend to see him like this but there was no way he was going to stop Trace from coming.
“Okay then, I’ll be there,” Trace said. “I can’t wait to see you dude, you’ll be fine.”
“Yeah I hope so Trace,” Justin replied. “Well, um, I have to go meet with my counsellor but I’ll talk to you tomorrow yeah?”
“Yeah okay,” Trace said, “See you Justin. Say hi to Mike for me, and take care.”
“I will. See ya Trace,” Justin said and the phone was hung up. Justin then felt himself feel something he had never felt before, he felt far removed from the world he once knew.

“So Justin, how do you like it so far?” Dr Hart asked when Justin had his first official private meeting with the doctor.
“It’s okay,” Justin said shrugging and groped around for Mike’s hand. That had been the only thing that kept him reassured the whole day, knowing that his bodyguard, the man that was supposed to protect him was there.
“Nice to hear it,” Dr Hart said and there was a pause as Justin presumed she wrote a few notes. “So are you excited about your family and friends coming tomorrow?”
“Yeah I am,” Justin said with a slight smile, and it was true. He couldn’t wait to hear his mother’s voice again.
“Great,” Dr Hart said and paused. “So how has everything else been? How are you adjusting?”
“I’ve been good,” Justin replied, “Especially because I have Mike here.”
“Yeah I can see that,” Dr Hart said, “You seem to get along well with Mike. How long have you worked for Justin Mike?”
“Since the group began, back in 1996,” Mike said, “But I was not Justin’s bodyguard for all that time. I was Lance’s but then I swapped with Justin’s prior body guard Randy in 1997.”
“Why was that?” Dr Hart asked.
“Because he couldn’t deal with Lance,” Justin said with a small smile and the doctor nodded presuming it had to be some sort of inside joke that they shared.
“Well I’m glad you’re cheering up Justin,” Dr Hart said, “So are you ready to talk about the accident?” There was a pause, and for a while Justin didn’t say anything. He knew he remembered the accident, well parts of it anyways but he wasn’t sure he wanted to talk about it, yet.
“I…” he said and he voice trailed off as he tried not to break into tears.
“It’s okay if you’re not ready. It’s just with your family coming tomorrow and all; you may want to talk about it before hand you know? Just so that you feel comfortable about it later,” Dr Hart replied sensing Justin’s hesitation.
“It’s not that,” Justin said quietly. “It’s just that I don’t know how to.”
“Well like I said you don’t have to, it just may be good for you to,” Dr Hart replied. “Look if you don’t feel comfortable talking to me about it, maybe you could talk with Mike later? At least talk about it with someone Justin, before you have to talk about it with everyone.”
“I don’t know,” Justin replied uneasily and felt Mike squeeze his hand for reassurance.
“Justin, we’re not pressuring you into anything you don’t want to,” Mike said softly.
“Yes Justin, we’re not pressuring you. We just want you to know that you have people here to talk to if you want to okay?” Dr Hart asked and Justin slowly nodded with a small smile.
“Yeah okay, thanks,” Justin said although he really didn’t think he’ll be talking to anyone anytime soon.
“Well then at least we got a bit done yeah?” Dr Hart said after a while. “I guess we’re done here, look if you need anything just call me.”
“Thank you doctor,” Mike said and Justin nodded, “We will.”
“Yeah thanks,” Justin said, “Um, can we go now?”
“Yeah sure,” Dr Hart replied and looked at Mike.
“Yeah okay Kiddo, let’s go,” Mike said and helped Justin up. “Thanks doctor, see you tomorrow.”
“See you tomorrow guys,” Dr Hart’s voice said as Mike led Justin out of the room. “Bye.” And Justin heard the slight closing of a door, and he knew they had left the office. As Mike led them down the hallway and back to their room, Justin knew what he felt it there was not good. But he couldn’t help it; he just didn’t want to talk about anything that had anything to do with the accident or his life before that.
The Dream by angel_from_africa
“No mom, I’m getting the bike,” Justin said looking at his mother. Lynn smiled at her son, but Justin knew she didn’t agree with idea so much.
“Justin honey, I just don’t think it’s a great idea,” Lynn said trying to reassure her son that it was a bad idea.
“Come on mom,” Justin said with one of his infectious smiles. “It’s so cool. It’s a Harley.”
“I don’t care Justin,” Lynn replied with a stern look. “I just don’t like the idea of you on something that goes that fast.”
“Why not?” Justin asked, and his mother sighed.
“Because, you have hardly any control of what you’re doing,” Lynn replied and Justin took her hand in his, squeezing it for reassurance.
“Mom, you worry too much,” he replied with a smile and she sighed.
“I have to, I’m your mother,” she said with a slight smile.
“I know mom, and you don’t have to worry,” Justin said. “I’ll get the bike and it’ll be perfectly safe, I’ll wear a helmet at all times.”
“What if something happens to you?” Lynn asked with worried eyes.
Justin smiled and hugged his mother to comfort her, “Don’t worry mom, nothing will happen. I’ll be perfectly safe.”

Justin opened his eyes, and felt himself unable to breathe as he remembered the conversation with his mother. He slowly sat up and groped around trying to find something to hold on to.
“Mike?” Justin called and he heard a stir as Mike moved in his bed.
“Yeah Kiddo?” Mike asked sleepily.
“Um are you asleep?” Justin asked and he heard Mike sigh and get up.
“No, I’m up,” Mike said, “What’s wrong?”
“Can we talk?” Justin asked with a shaky voice, unsure of what to say to Mike.
“Yeah definitely Kid, what’s on your mind?” Mike asked and Justin heard the bed squeak as Mike repositioned himself to face Justin.
“Um, I had a dream,” Justin said.
“Yeah? What about?” Mike asked with a soft tone.
“Well about me and my mom, and the conversation we had about me getting the bike,” Justin said quietly.
“Oh, what was the dream about?” Mike asked with a concerned tone. Justin took a deep breath in and tried not to let his smile, that was plastered on his face, waver.
“I told her…” he began and tried to think of what to say. Mike didn’t pressure Justin; he just waited until the younger man was ready. “I told her not to worry, and that I’d be perfectly safe.” And with that Justin broke down into tears, most probably the first tears he’d cried in a long time.

Mike comforted his boss for a long time after Justin broke down. He’d never seen the young man cry this much, and he had enough pain to last him a life time. Mike presumed Justin felt guilty as to what he’d said to his mother before buying the bike.
Anyone who knew Justin knew he hated telling his mother something that wasn’t the truth. And now as they looked back on past events, telling Lynn that’d he’d been fine, could be perceived as a lie on Justin’s part.
“Justin,” Mike said after a while. “I think you should talk to your mom about what was said between the two of you that day.” Justin cried harder and shook his head.
“I can’t Mike,” Justin said, “I can’t believe she’s still talking to me after what I said.” Mike smiled and looked at Justin.
“Kiddo, you had no idea what was going to happen,” mike said trying to calm Justin down. “It wasn’t your fault; you truly believed you’d be safe.”
“But I wasn’t,” Justin cried. “I knew what she said was true, but I was too bloody stubborn to listen.”
“Justin, you can’t blame yourself for what happened,” Mike tried again, but Justin wouldn’t listen.
“But I just had to go and buy the bike right? Now look at me, mom must be so heart broken,” Justin said and cried harder.
“She’s not Kiddo,” Mike said, he knew that much was true. “She’s coming today remember? Why don’t we call Dr Hart and we can tell her what happened so you can prepare what to say to your mom?” Justin sighed and shook his head. He lifted his head and wiped away what he could of his tears.
“No, I can’t talk to her about this,” Justin said, “It’s too personal.”
“Then who Justin?” Mike asked with concern.
“You are the only one who knows me well enough in this place,” Justin said, “You know both me and mom, you were there from the beginning. That doctor wasn’t.”
“Yeah, but Justin she’s a professional. I’m not,” Mike said, “She can help you more than I can.”
“I know but I don’t trust her,” Justin said adamantly and Mike sighed nodding his head.
“I know Justin, but you have to,” Mike replied and put a hand on Justin’s shoulder. “You have to learn to trust her, you’re going to need her believe me.”
Meet My Family by angel_from_africa
Justin sat in the room with Mike, waiting for his family and friends to come, although it was only going to be a selected few. His mom, dad, step-parents, Trace, Cam, Johnny and obviously the other guys.
He took a deep breath in and thought about what he’d talked about with Mike, he was nervous because he knew he’d have to face the facts with his mother.
“Justin?” Mike’s familiar voice asked interrupting his thoughts. “Your parents...” Justin nodded knowing what Mike was going to say because he heard the footsteps entering the room, and as they did so he heard his mother.
“Justin honey,” Lynn said and Justin heard her feet moving closer to him. He slowly stood up with the help of Mike.
“Mom,” Justin said as he felt her near him and take him in her arms.
“How are you coping?” Lynn asked her son, he felt her breath on his ear as she whispered the words to him.
“I’m okay,” he managed to squeak as he smelt her perfume. It was the same one he’d grown up with his entire life. “Is dad here?”
“I’m right here son,” his father, Randy, said as Justin made out another pair of feet walking towards him.
“Hi dad,” Justin whispered and wondered what to do. His father had only seen him once since the accident, in the hospital.
“I’m sorry I haven’t come round more often, but Jonathan and Steven…” Randy began but Justin stopped him, he understood. When it came to his step-brothers, Justin would have wanted them not to know about this, not yet anyway.
“You didn’t tell them right?” Justin asked as his dad embraced him, he felt his father shake his head.
“No, but the media… they watch a lot of TV. You know Jonathan, he’s a typical nine year old,” Randy said and Justin nodded.
“Yeah,” Justin whispered, “I just wanted to tell them myself.”
“Its okay son, they understand. Lisa and I explained to them your situation,” Randy replied and Justin nodded.
“Thanks dad,” Justin whispered. “Speaking of, where are Lisa and Paul?”
“We’re here Justin,” Paul’s, his step-father, voice came from some where on his left. “We’re here for you.” Justin let go of his father so that he could hug Paul.
“Thanks Paul,” Justin said hugging Paul back. “Lisa?”
“Justin,” Lisa, his step-mother, said and hugged Justin tightly. “We’re so proud of you.” Justin smiled softly and let go of her.
“Um, thanks,” he said as Lynn took his hand and turned him to the right.
“Justin?” Lynn said, “The other guys are here, including Trace.” Justin smiled and nodded as he heard more footsteps entering the room. “So is Cam.”
“Cam?” Justin asked in almost a whisper, he didn’t know what to expect because he hadn’t wanted to let Cameron, his girlfriend, see him since the accident. She’d come and visit, but he hadn’t let her see him because he was afraid of how she’d handle it so this was a new experience for him.
“Justin baby,” Cameron’s voice came and Justin felt someone pull him to them. He knew from the minute their bodies touched it was her, he knew by the perfume she wore, and by the smell of her shampoo.
“Hey Cam,” Justin said with a whisper as he hugged her back. He felt her hand on his chin as she kissed him on the lips, and it was the first time that he truly knew how she felt about him; he could feel it in her kiss. “I’m sorry I didn’t let you…” he began but she stopped him.
“It’s okay, I get it. But now I’m here and I’m not going anywhere,” she whispered in his ear, he smiled and nodded.
“Good,” he muttered and leaned forward to kiss her again.
“J, man thank God!” Trace’s aspirated and panic filled voice filled his ears, pulling him away from Cameron. Justin smiled as someone, who he presumed to be Trace hugged him like a long lost brother.
“Hey Trace,” Justin said hugging his friend back. “Glad you could make it.”
“And miss seeing my best friend? Hell no,” Trace said refusing to let go of Justin, “I needed to see for myself that you were okay.”
“I’m fine,” Justin said, and pulled away from Trace.
“Good, because I ain’t going anywhere, ever again,” Trace said and Justin heard everyone chuckle.
“Don’t give your life up on my account,” Justin said and Trace laughed, it was good to hear someone laugh.
“My life? What life man? Without you I don’t have a life,” Trace said slapping Justin on the back and Justin laughed.
“I know man,” he replied with a smile.
“J.” Justin heard someone say, and hearing the voice made his whole day.
“Hey Jayce,” Justin said knowing what his friend sounded like. “You sound different than when you sing.”
“Um, thanks I guess,” JC’s voice said and Justin was pulled into a hug. “How’ve you been?”
“I’ve been coping,” Justin said in all honesty, and JC nodded.
“Good, at least it’s something,” JC said hugging Justin. Justin hugged him back.
“Yeah it is,” Justin replied. “Are the others here?”
“Hey Jayce outta the way. Quit hogging him, we want to see him too,” Chris’ unmistakable cheery voice said somewhere behind JC.
“Hey C,” Justin said smiling at the sound of Chris’ voice.
“Hey little bro,” Chris’ voice said again and Justin felt Chris grab him and hug him tightly like a big brother. “How’s the new pad?” Justin laughed a little at Chris’ humour and nodded.
“From what Mike said, pretty nice,” Justin said with a smile.
“Yeah you’re right,” Chris said, “But they could do better, I mean come on they’re housing the famous Justin Timberlake for God’s sake!” Everyone laughed at that, even Justin.
“Yeah, but C the most important thing is for him to get better,” Lance’s voice said as someone pulled him away from Chris and hugged him. “Hey J.”
“Hey Lance,” Justin said hugging the person he presumed to be Lance.
“So you okay really?” Lance asked and Justin nodded, just like Lance.
“Yeah really,” Justin replied.
“Good, because that’s what we want,” Johnny’s voice said and Justin felt Lance being pushed away from him. “Out of the way Lance, I’d like to say hi to my client.”
“Hi Johnny,” Justin said in a meek voice.
“Hey Kiddo,” Johnny replied hugging Justin.
“Thanks for everything, with the press and all,” Justin said hugging Johnny back.
“No problems,” Johnny replied pulling away from Justin. “I have to look out for you guys remember? It’s my job.”
“And a very good one,” Paul said and everyone agreed. “Thanks Johnny for everything.”
“Everyone out of the way!” A voice declared and Justin was grabbed from Johnny and thrown into a big bear hug. “J! We missed you! Or more importantly I missed you!”
“Hey Joe, I missed you guys too,” Justin said hugging Joey and smiling.
“So when are you getting out of here so we can have you back?” Joey asked and Johnny chuckled.
“Joe, he just got here,” Johnny said, “He’s gotta stay for a while before we can have him back. Right Justin?”
“Right Johnny,” Justin said with a small chuckle. “But I can’t wait to get out of here, so I can go back home.”
“Well, good to see everyone here,” the voice that Justin knew belonged to Dr Hart said. “And it’s nice to see someone made Justin smile.”
“Joey has that ability,” Johnny’s voice said and everyone, including Justin, laughed.
“Well then we’ll have to keep you around Joey,” Dr Hart replied.
“As long as I get to stay with J, that’s cool,” Joey replied and the doctor chuckled.
“Well then, why don’t we get started?” the doctor asked, “Everyone take a seat then we can begin.” There was shuffling in the room and as everyone took their seats, and Lynn and Trace helped Justin back into his chair the meeting began.
It was supposed to be a family and friends meeting, but the way Justin felt, it was really a family thing because everyone he cared about in his life was there and to him, that was family.
I Can't by angel_from_africa
Justin didn’t know how long the meeting lasted but when the meeting ended he regretted it, because now his family would have to leave him. He didn’t want them to go, they’d all talked things over so much, and them leaving meant he’d begin to feel lonely again after he’d began to feel whole.
“Mom please don’t go,” Justin begged holing on to his mother. He heard Lynn sigh as she kissed his fore head.
“Justin honey I have to,” she said softly in his ear. “But I’ll be back with everyone else on Friday.”
“But Friday’s forever away,” Justin whimpered because to him it was. He could no longer tell how long the days had become, now that he wasn’t able to witness the sun setting.
“No it isn’t. It’s only two days away,” Lynn said with a smile. “Love you son.” Justin sighed and hugged his mother.
“Love you too mamma,” he said going back to his childhood ways. He would always refer to her as ‘mamma’ when he was scared or felt alone, and Lynn knew it.
“Don’t be afraid Justin, and you’re not alone,” Lynn whispered to her son, Justin nodded.
“I know mamma, I just feel scared sometimes. Like I’m lost and have no one to help me but Mike,” Justin replied.
“I know Justin,” Lynn said rubbing her son’s back soothingly. “But Mike will take care of you until I see you again okay? You won’t be in any harm or alone.”
“I hope not mamma,” Justin replied quietly and Lynn smiled pulling away from him.
“You won’t, trust me,” Lynn said softly and as she left. As her footsteps walked away, and as he let go of his mother’s hand, Justin once again felt all alone.

Justin found his mind wandering a few hours later as he sat in the doctor’s office, waiting for the session to begin. He thought about what had been said in the session and wondered if that is what the doctor wanted him to talk about, and whether he was ready or not to talk about it.
“Justin?” Dr Hart’s voice asked him, interrupting his thoughts. Justin snapped out of his reverie and lifted his head up in the direction of the voice.
“Yeah?” Justin asked quietly, he heard her shifting papers around.
“Are you okay? You seem a bit lost ever since the session with your family and friends,” Dr Hart asked softly. Justin sighed, and wondered whether or not to tell her.
“I’m okay thanks,” Justin muttered deciding that maybe he didn’t want to talk to her yet.
“Justin, we can’t keep going at this forever,” Dr Hart said gently, “You can’t deny what you feel.”
“I’m not, I feel fine really,” Justin said adamantly and he heard her sigh as she didn’t believe a word he had just spoken.
“Fine, would you like to discuss the session?” Dr Hart tried and Justin shrugged.
“There’s nothing to talk about,” Justin said, although that was not true. He desperately wanted to be able to tell her how he felt about being in his situation, but for some reason he couldn’t.
“Are you sure?” the doctor asked and Justin nodded, she sighed and shuffled some more papers. “Okay then, I guess we’ll talk later.”
“I guess so,” Justin replied and felt around for Mike to help him stand up.
“Hang on Kiddo,” Mike’s voice came. “I think you should talk to her, she can help.”
“Mike, I…” Justin began; he wanted to remind Mike about what he’d told him earlier. “I can’t.”
“Justin…” Mike said trying to convince Justin, but Justin shook his head.
“It’s okay Mike,” the doctor’s voice said. “If Justin doesn’t feel ready to talk he doesn’t have to, it can be hard.”
“It’s not that, it’s just...” Justin began but the doctor interrupted.
“I know Justin and its okay. I’ll let you guys go and we’ll talk tomorrow okay?” Dr Hart asked as Mike gently took Justin’s hand and helped him up.
“Thanks,” Justin mumbled and nodded to let Mike know he was ready to leave.
“No worries, we’ll try again tomorrow. Go get some rest you’ve had a long day. Bye guys,” Dr Hart replied as Mike led Justin a few steps forward.
“Bye doc and thanks for everything,” Mike’s voice replied for the two of them. “Let’s get going Kid; I heard they got pasta on the menu tonight, your fave.”
“Bye doctor,” Justin replied as Mike led him out of the room, he heard her reply with a soft ‘bye’ before Mike closed the door.
“Justin, you should have talked to her,” Mike said once they’d walked a bit further.
“I know Mike, but I just can’t. I don’t trust her,” Justin reiterated and Mike sighed, placing a strong hand on Justin’s back to guide him a bit more down the hallway.
“I know you don’t, and being you I don’t blame you. But you’ve got to try Justin,” Mike said and Justin nodded.
“I know Mike,” he replied as Mike made him turn a corner. “But I just can’t, I don’t know why, I just can’t.”
Johnny's Decision by angel_from_africa
After a long workout Justin headed to the studio. He fastened his helmet and hopped on the bike, driving as fast as he could to the studio, he was late. He drove and drove, not once looking at what was going on behind him. He got to on of the many stop lights, and as he quickly looked up and down the street, he decided to tail it before it turned red.
He crossed the street, and just as he was about to reach the other side something whacked the back of the bike. Justin felt his body hit the ground, and before he could crawl out from under the bike he felt himself being dragged backwards with the flow of traffic. He felt himself begin to panic and thought he would stop breathing, he looked around him, and all he saw was the world passing him by quickly.
Then he felt it, the pain that soared through his head, he closed his eyes to try and stop it, but it wouldn’t go away. Finally his body stopped moving, and he dared to open his eyes. But when he did he couldn’t see anything, just black. He panicked, his heart beat quickened and then he passed out.

“Mike?” Justin woke up in a sweat, and again had no idea where he was. All he knew is that Mike was there. “Mike?”
“What is it Kiddo?” Mike’s voice asked from somewhere in the room. Justin tried to calm down his breathing and groped around him so that he could sit up.
“Um, can we talk?” Justin asked, and Mike sighed. The bed next to him creaked as Mike sat up and yawned.
“Sure thing, what happened?” Mike asked with a slight annoyance in his voice, Justin knew Mike was getting upset with being awoken all the time like this, but he was willing to listen to what Justin had to say.
“I had another dream,” Justin said quietly as his breathing slowed down.
“Do you want me to go get Dr Hart?” Mike asked with caution and Justin shook his head.
“No,” he breathed, “No, don’t leave me here alone.”
“Justin, I’m not going to leave the room, I can call her on the phone,” Mike replied, but still Justin shook his head.
“No don’t call her,” Justin said and as Mike sighed signalling that he would, Justin shook his head. “It’s okay, I’m okay now.”
“You sure?” Mike asked with an uncertain tone to his voice.
“Yeah I’m sure,” Justin said and laid back down. “It was just a dream, a bad dream.”

“Mike said you had a dream last night,” Dr Hart said to Justin the next morning after breakfast. Justin sighed and shook his head wondering why Mike had told her that.
“Yeah I did,” Justin muttered and heard the shuffling of papers. He was getting used to the doctor’s office now, with the smell of old oak filling the air, it sort of reminded him of home in Shelby Forest.
“Did you talk to him about it?” Dr Hart asked and Justin shook his head.
“No,” he replied and hoped she would change the subject.
“Why not?” Dr Hart asked quietly, Justin shrugged.
“I didn’t need to,” Justin tried so that they wouldn’t have to talk about it more. He heard Dr Hart sigh and he knew what she would say.
“Justin, you have to talk to someone,” Dr Hart said. “If not me, then at least talk to Mike.”
“It’s okay, I said I didn’t need to,” Justin said adamantly becoming stubborn again.
“Justin, you denying things won’t make it better,” Dr Hart tried. “You need to be able to talk about what you experienced that day so you can move on.”
“Move on to what?” Justin asked, and as he did so he noticed his voice rising and Mike’s strong hand on his shoulder.
“Justin calm down,” Mike said with a reassuring voice.
“I am calm Mike,” Justin snapped turning his head in the direction of Mike’s hand, Mike and the doctor both sighed.
“You know Justin, the longer you refuse to talk to me the longer you will have to stay here and the longer it will halter you recovery,” Dr Hart’s voice said after a while. “Personally I don’t mind, I’ll stay here all year if we have to. But the choice is yours Justin, if you want to get out of here and get on with your life you’re going to have to learn to talk to someone about what you experienced.”
“I’ll be fine thanks,” Justin said with even more stubbornness than ever and the doctor sighed. “Mike, can we go now?” Justin heard Mike sigh in disagreement but he helped Justin up anyway.
“See you later Justin, when you’re ready to talk,” Dr Hart said and Justin snorted as Mike pulled him out of the office and said goodbye.
“Justin…” Mike began with a stern bodyguard tone that he hardly ever used unless Justin had done something he wasn’t meant to.
“What Mike?” Justin snapped, “Did you expect me to just open up to her after a day of knowing her?”
“Well no,” Mike began and Justin nodded furiously.
“Good, because I’m not going to,” Justin said and Mike sighed. As much as he enjoyed being Justin’s body guard, there was one thing that annoyed Mike the most about Justin, the boy was bloody stubborn.

Dr Hart sighed as Justin left her room; she knew that he wouldn’t trust her. Because he had a high reputation, but she really wanted him to leave that behind and realize that he needed to trust her. Her phone rang and she picked it up.
“Dr Hart,” she said as she cradled the phone on her shoulder and typed up her notes on the computer at the same time.
“Dr Hart? Hi it’s Johnny, Justin’s manager?” Johnny’s familiar voice said.
“Ah Mr Wright, what can I do you for?” she asked pausing and leaning back in her chair.
“I was just calling to find out how Justin’s doing,” Johnny asked and she sighed.
“Okay I guess,” Dr Hart replied, “But to be honest he’s not opening up.”
“He’s not? How so?” Johnny asked and Dr Hart shrugged propping her feet up on the desk.
“Well Justin just refuses to talk to anyone but Mike,” Dr Hart replied and Johnny sighed.
“Is that good or bad?” Johnny asked and the doctor closed her eyes to think.
“Well it depends on how you look at it I guess,” she started. “It’s good in the sense that at least he opens up to someone about the accident. But it’s also bad because then he’s setting himself to rely on one person only. I need to be able to get into his circle of trust; otherwise I’m afraid there’s nothing much we can do here.”
“What do you suggest?” Johnny said with a sigh. “Justin’s had Mike around him since he was fifteen, he trusts him like he trusts no one else. Mike is the man that Justin has had to rely on for protection since then.” Dr Hart smiled and nodded silently before answering.
“I know Mr Wright, but he has to also open up to others,” Dr Hart said.
“I agree Dr Hart, but what can we do about it? If I know Justin, and I know him, he’s as stubborn as a mule when it comes to these things,” Johnny said with a small chuckle. Dr Hart laughed and shook her head as she became serious again.
“Mr Wright, I can see that Justin needs Mike, and I know you can’t allow him to be away from Justin but maybe that’s what Justin needs, to be away from Mike for a while so he learns to open up to me and the other doctors here,” Dr Hart suggested. Johnny gave a deep sigh of question.
“I don’t know doctor, but if it’s what you think it’s what’ll get him to recover quicker then I guess okay,” Johnny said with uncertainty.
“It’s not that I think he needs it, I just believe he’ll benefit more if he had to learn to trust someone other than Mike, because he needs to see that Mike isn’t going to be here forever,” she replied taking down her hair.
“I understand doctor,” Johnny said in agreement. “I’ll do what ever you need, so when should I let Mike know he should leave and for how long?”
“Well as soon as possible would be good, and only for the weekend by that time I hope to have Justin opened up,” Dr Hart said with a smile. “Thank you Mr Wright, I know this won’t be easy for Justin but he’ll benefit from it.”
“I believe you,” Johnny replied, “I’ll call Mike in the morning and have him leave for the weekend, and then he’ll be back my Monday. You understand I can’t let him go longer right?”
“Yes I understand,” Dr Hart replied, she knew she couldn’t get Justin without a bodyguard forever, but a few days would do. “Thank you.”
“No problems, I’ll see you tomorrow at the session doctor, nice to know Justin is okay otherwise. Good afternoon,” Johnny replied.
“Afternoon Mr Wright,” Dr Hart said and the hung up. She smiled to herself as she continued to look through her files, and read more and more about the man that just left her office. He was a celebrity yes, but this was not the man she’d read about.
This man was different, he was quiet and withdrawn and unsure of who to trust. That was not the man people had written about, the man people knew. Now, with the permission of Johnny, all she had to do was bring Justin out of his shell.
Who Am I? by angel_from_africa
When Justin woke up the next morning, his panic that had begun regularly after a nightmare began. At first he believed it was because he’d had a nightmare, but them when he thought about it, he couldn’t remember even dreaming. It was after this that he realized what had happened, Mike had left.
“Mike?” Justin called out and waited for the usual answer that greeted him but found nothing but silence. Justin took a deep breath in and tried counting to ten, but it didn’t work. “Mike!”
His blood pressure rose and Justin stumbled off the bed. As he felt the cold marble beneath his feet he knew he had gotten off the bed. He stumbled around the room, letting his arms spread out in front of him so he could feel what ever obstacles were in his way and go around them.
Justin felt around and took long strides forward, then to the right. He had no clue where he was going; all he knew is that soon he could feel a wall and bump of a door knob. He turned the door knob and pulled the door towards him, it opened and he heard it creak on the hinges. When he was sure it was fully open, he stumbled out to what he presumed to be a corridor, and keeping a hand on the wall to his right, he fumbled helplessly down the corridor.
“Mike?” Justin called again a few minutes later, but there was nothing but silence yet Justin kept going. He needed to find Mike, heck; he wanted to find someone, anyone. “Mike?” He called again and walked a bit further.
“Justin?” Dr Hart’s voice asked from somewhere, maybe a few feet, ahead of him. Justin moved his head up and in the direction of her voice.
“Dr Hart? Where’s Mike?” Justin asked in a panic, he stood still as he heard her walking towards him. He soon felt a small hand on his shoulder and heard her voice in his ear.
“Are you okay? What happened?” Dr Hart asked, Justin tried to regulate his breathing so he could think, wondering where Mike was. “Justin?”
“I..I..” Justin began knowing that he probably won’t find Mike. He felt the doctor put a hand on his back and rub it gently, trying to calm him down as he breathed heavily.
“Justin, take a deep breath in,” she instructed with a soothing voice. “All right, why don’t we go back to my office and we can talk?” Justin stayed mute and just nodded, not knowing what else to do. At least he’d found someone. “Okay, take my hand. Come on Justin.”
“I..” Justin began not willing to take her hand, he didn’t trust her but he knew that going with her would be better than staying out here, alone and lost. “Okay,” he whispered and she gently took his hand, keeping one hand on his back and led him down the hall.
After what seemed like forever to Justin, they reached a stop and the doctor gently turned to the left so that they could enter her office. Justin heard a door open, and knew from the minute he stepped into the room where he was. He could smell that old oak smell again, and for some reason it calmed him down a lot more as Dr Hart helped him into a chair.
“Are you okay now Justin?” Dr Hart asked after a while. Justin nodded and felt around him, needing to feel the contact of her to know she was still close by. She noticed this and reached her hand over the desk and took his hand. “It’s okay, I’m still here. I haven’t gone anywhere.”
“I just panicked,” Justin whispered after a while, “I woke up and Mike wasn’t there.”
“It’s okay,” Dr Hart said soothingly, “Mike just went home for a few days.”
“What? Why?” Justin asked beginning to panic again, feeling alone again.
“Calm down,” Dr Hart replied, “Johnny asked him to leave for a while, so that you could learn to be more independent.”
“I am independent!” Justin called getting upset by this news. “Why would Johnny do that?”
“Justin, you are not independent. You depend too much on Mike, you need to be able to cope with your disability by yourself,” Dr Hart said softly, “And it wasn’t Johnny’s decision to let Mike go, it was mine.”
“Yours? How can you do this to me?” Justin asked trying to breathe, “How can you ask Mike to leave me here alone?”
“Justin,” Dr Hart began reaching for Justin’s hand, but Justin pulled it away. “You’re not alone, you have me here, and the other doctors as well as the other patients.”
“But you’re all strangers to me,” Justin said become stubborn again, Dr Hart sighed.
“I know we are Justin,” she replied, “But we’re here to help you.”
“I don’t need your help,” Justin snapped, “All I needed was Mike’s help. If he was here I’d be fine. Now thanks to you I’m helpless.”
“You’re not helpless Justin,” Dr Hart said trying to reassure him. “You just need guidance.”
“That’s what I call helpless,” Justin snapped with a teary voice, “My whole life I’ve never needed anyone, but Mike to protect me. But ever since the bloody accident people keep telling me I need more protection. I wish I’d never gotten into that accident then I won’t be here.”
“But you are here Justin,” Dr Hart reasoned. “And you have to deal with that, not dwell in the past.”
“But my past was my life,” Justin said with a cry. “This, being here isn’t. I just wish I could see again.”
“I know you do Justin,” Dr Hart replied. “But you can’t and we’re here to help you come to terms with that.” Justin didn’t say anything for a while as his tears flowed freely, he was upset and felt like his whole life had ended.
“I can’t come to terms with it Dr Hart,” Justin sobbed, “Because it’s not what I’m used to, it’s not what I want.”
“We can’t have everything we want Justin,” Dr Hart replied as Justin felt her hand on his shoulder, he didn’t even hear her move. “Sometimes, life gives us things we don’t want and we have to live with it.” Justin nodded and cried harder, he knew what she said was true.
“I know, but I feel as if I’ve lost the sense of myself,” Justin said softly.
“That’s okay,” Dr Hart said, “It’s natural to feel like that, and you can regain your sense of self as long as you let people help you.”
“But I don’t know how,” Justin sobbed and Dr Hart rubbed his back soothingly.
“You do, it’s in you somewhere. You just have to find it, and I’ll help you,” Dr Hart replied, Justin nodded.
“But how can you?” He asked in an almost whisper. “How can you help me find myself, if I don’t know who I am any more?”
They Know Me Better Than I Know Myself by angel_from_africa
He wasn’t who they remembered, and as JC sat down that afternoon with the others and Justin’s family he could see it. The young man, whom had been JC’s best friend, was no longer there, he had been replaced by a stranger. A man who wanted nothing more to do with the world around him, he just didn’t know himself anymore.
“Jayce?” Chris whispered in his ear.
“Hmm?” JC asked not taking his eyes off Justin.
“Stop staring, it’s rude,” Chris hissed. JC nodded and looked away, and at Chris.
“Sorry,” JC mumbled and Chris rolled his eyes.
“What wrong Jayce?” Chris asked quietly and JC shrugged.
“I don’t know, it’s like I don’t even know that guy,” JC said looking at Justin again, Chris sighed and nodded.
“That’s J Jayce,” Chris answered, and JC nodded. He knew who that guy was physically, he was Justin. But emotionally, that guy was not the Justin he knew.

After the session Justin found himself sitting with Chris, and by the sounds of the birds chirping and the smell of freshly cut grass, he knew they were outside.
“So J,” Chris’ voice began as Justin felt a hand on his shoulder, “How you holding up? You didn’t really say much back there.”
Justin shrugged and wished he could disappear. “They sent Mike home,” he stated with a monotone voice, he heard Chris take a deep breath in.
“Do you know why?” Chris asked softly not wanting to agitate Justin. Justin sighed and shook his head.
“They said I needed to become more independent and trust other people,” Justin replied.
“Dude, you are Justin Timberlake you can’t trust everybody,” Chris said, “But you do trust some people, just not everyone.” Justin nodded in agreement and brought his hand up to the top of his head as he felt his fingers run through his hair.
“Try telling them that,” Justin said with a bit more harshness than intended.
“J calm down,” Chris said soothingly and Justin felt the older man drape an arm over his shoulders and pull him into a hug. “Everything’s gonna be a okay.”
“That’s what the doctor said,” Justin grumbled pulling himself away from Chris. “She said I needed to accept this bloody thing before I could move on.”
“And she’s right J,” Chris said after a pause, “You need to accept what happened, you haven’t really done that.”
“I have C,” Justin whispered because he knew Chris was right. “I have accepted it.” He was trying to convince himself more than Chris.
“Who are you trying to convince kid?” Chris said with a soft chuckle. “We know you think you have, but you really need to. Not only for you, but for all of us ok?” Justin nodded slowly and turned his head in the direction Chris’ voice was.
“Yeah ok,” Justin said with resignation.
“Good,” Chris said and then laughed. “So how’s everything otherwise? Like being without Mike?”
“I don’t know,” Justin said softly. “I’ve been here a few days and today’s the first day alone, it’s all kindda scary.”
“But you’re not alone kid,” Chris said softly, “You have Dr Hart and the other patients here, as well as us.”
“Yeah but they’re all strangers to me C, and you guys aren’t here all the time, only for like an hour every two days,” Justin said with a sigh.
“Yeah I know J. But you need someone to talk to while there’s no Mike around, or anyone else for that matter,” Chris said patting Justin’s back.
“But who can I talk to C?” Justin asked trying not to cry. “Who can I talk to? I need someone who knows where I’m coming from.”
“J,” Chris began sympathetically, “The people here may not know what it’s like to be a celebrity yes, but they understand other things. Like what it’s like to be in your position, and that’s something the rest of us can’t do.”
“Yeah you can,” Justin said stubbornly and Chris shook his head.
“No we can’t J, and you know it,” Chris said with a smile, “Besides none of us are doctors and you know as well as anybody we’re crap to talk to. But you know what?”
“What?” Justin asked raising his head in curiosity.
“I think that doctor you have here, what’s her name?” Chris began and Justin sighed.
“Dr Hart?” He asked and Chris nodded.
“Yeah her,” Chris said with satisfaction, “I think she’ll be a great help to you J, and I’ll bet she’s a better listener than any of us put together.”
“You think?” Justin asked with a doubt and Chris shook his head.
“No, I don’t think J. I know so,” Chris said and Justin smiled.
“If you say so,” Justin said reassured that what Chris was saying must be true.
“Yeah I do,” Chris said with satisfaction that Justin was finally listening to someone.
“Thanks C,” Justin said after a while and Chris laughed.
“No problem Kid,” Chris said and Justin felt the older man gently nudge his shoulder. “Besides, she’s pretty hot.”
“Who? Dr Hart?” Justin asked with a chuckle and Chris nodded.
“Yeah Dr Hart,” Chris said and Justin smiled.
“I didn’t notice,” Justin replied with a laugh.
“Good, because once you’re outta here, she’s all mine,” Chris said with a grin, and they both laughed.

Dr Hart watched the two men sitting on the patio outside laughing. It was good to see Justin smile, and it seemed to her the only people who could do that were his friends in the band.
“I’m glad he’s smiling,” a male voice said behind her. Dr Hart smiled and turned around to see one of Justin’s band mates, JC Chasez, standing behind her watching the scene.
“Yeah, I’m glad Chris took the initiative to see how depressed he was and go out to talk to him,” Dr Hart replied with a smile, JC nodded but didn’t smile.
“Yeah, at least one of us had the guts to,” he replied with a frown, Dr Hart looked at him and wondered what was wrong.
“What’s bugging you then?” Dr Hart asked and JC looked at her with question. “I mean, you seem happy for him right? But then why are you frowning like that?”
“I…” JC began then sighed with a shrug. “I guess it’s because I feel as if I don’t know him anymore, Justin I mean.” Dr Hart nodded and looked over her shoulder at Justin outside, JC was right Justin had changed in less than twenty four hours.
“Why would you say that?” Dr Hart asked and JC shrugged.
“Maybe because he’s not himself anymore? I mean who is that guy?” JC asked not letting his eyes falter from his two friends outside. “How did he take Mike leaving?”
“Not good,” Dr Hart replied, knowing there was no point lying. “He felt as if Mike had betrayed him, he felt helpless without Mike.”
“Then why did you let Mike go?” JC asked softly and Dr Hart sighed.
“Because Justin isn’t as independent as he likes to think he is,” Dr Hart began, “I wanted him to feel more independent by the end of the week.” JC nodded then turned to face the doctor.
“Yeah he needs to,” JC agreed and for a few minutes they watched Justin talk some more to Chris. “Is it better? I mean, J not having Mike here do you think it’ll help?”
“Yes, I think it will,” Dr Hart said with a small smile, “He needs to feel complete and independent, especially after what he’s been through.”
“And he’s not?” JC asked with surprise in his voice, Dr Hart nodded.
“Yeah he’s not,” she answered and crossed her arms over her chest.
“How come?” JC asked, and Dr Hart sighed.
“He just doesn’t feel like himself anymore,” Dr Hart replied, “Like he has no clue who he is.”
Wanted To Listen by angel_from_africa
In the darkness that he was enveloped in, Justin began to think, think a lot more than he’d actually ever done in his life. He thought about his life, what Chris had said and his future, how each one was affected by the events of that day.
He sighed and rolled onto his side, making sure he didn’t go to close to the edge of the bed by feeling around him. He hadn’t slept all night, in fear, fear of what he didn’t know.
After a few more minutes of not sleeping Justin got himself up, feeling around for the bed support, and then carefully felt as he lifted his feet off the side of the bed. He wanted, needed someone to talk to. Someone that would understand him, and in his darkened state, he just had an inkling of a feeling of who.
He knew he could talk to his family and friends, but they really, as much as they tried, had no clue of what he was going through. Like Chris had told him earlier, they would never be able to understand, no matter how hard they tried.
Justin sighed and felt his way around the bed, and out the room. He wondered what time it was and if anybody was awake.
“Mr Timberlake? Is everything alright?” A voice asked him from somewhere not to far off. Justin stopped walking, feeling the roughness of the wall next to him under his fingers and shrugged.
“Um, what time is it?” he asked, wondering where the person, whoever they were, was standing.
“Almost seven,” the voice replied again and Justin nodded.
“In the morning?” he asked and there was a silence, and for a minute he thought the person had left.
“Yes,” the voice replied and Justin sighed. “Is everything alright?”
“Yeah, um, is Doctor Hart in yet?” Justin asked and the voice chuckled. Justin heard a few steps coming towards him and tensed up.
“It’s alright,” the voice, which now sounded more feminine and older, said, “Yes luckily she came in a bit earlier than normal today, do you want to go see her?”
“Yeah,” Justin said not relaxing as the person got closer to him. He didn’t like the thought of a stranger being this close.
“Alright then,” the person said, “I’ll take you to her myself.” Justin hesitated for a moment before he felt a hand on his back and he knew it was alright.
“Okay,” he whispered and let himself be led down the hall to the doctor’s office, where the familiar smell of oak awaited him.

“Ahhh, Justin,” Dr Hart greeted as she glanced up at her notes. She wasn’t at all surprised when he walked in, she’d been expecting him. After he’d talked with his friend Chris, Chris had given her he heads up that Justin might want to talk.
“Hi doctor,” Justin said feeling his way into the room and sitting on one of the old familiar oak chairs opposite her. Dr Hart smiled at him, even though she knew he couldn’t see her.
“So what can I do for you?” she asked pushing aside the papers she’d been looking at and giving him her full attention. Justin shrugged, but gave her a small smile.
“I just wanted someone to talk to,” he said softly and she nodded. She was glad he’d finally taken the initiative to want to talk to her.
“Okay,” she said softly, “What did you want to talk about?” Justin sighed and shifted a bit in his chair before answering her.
“About everything,” he replied, “After I talked to Chris today, well it made me think.”
“Think about what?” she asked softly urging him on.
“About my life and where it was heading,” Justin said in a whisper, “I don’t know what’s become of me anymore.”
“What do you think you’ve become?” Dr Hart asked gently as she leaned forward in her chair and Justin shrugged.
“A lost child,” he replied, “I mean I used to be someone you know? But now I’m just... lost.”
“You still are someone Justin,” she said reassuringly, “You just can’t see.”
“But isn’t that what it’s about?” He asked sitting up, “My life I mean, it was about that. I was able to see what was ahead of me, and now I can’t.”
“Yes you can,” she replied softly, “Maybe not physically but mentally yes.”
“I know,” he replied with a silent sigh, “But being me, being who I am, I can’t afford this.”
“Who is that?” she asked with a softer voice, and Justin paused before answering. His fingers twitching in his lap.
“Justin Timberlake, pop icon, bachelor of the year,” Justin said reciting the names he’d been given over the years from memory.
“I think you can still be all those things,” Dr Hart said.
“But it’s not what people expect you know?” Justin asked and she nodded in understanding, but he couldn’t see it. “People expect me to be Mr Perfect, Mr Amazing. And now, well now, I’m not, if I go back into the public eye like this, I’ll be letting down so many people.”
“But you won’t Justin,” Dr Hart said with a smile.
“What do you mean?” Justin asked intruded as he cocked his head to one side.
“Well I think that yes, people may not see you as the same person, but you’ll be viewed as a hero of sorts to them,” Dr Hart replied, and Justin sighed.
“A hero?” he asked with a doubtful voice and Dr Hart nodded.
“Yes, for being able to overcome a difficulty most people usually can’t,” Dr Hart replied, “You’ll give hope to millions.”
“But I haven’t over come anything,” Justin said with a sigh, “I’m still struggling, I’m still fighting it.”
“Yes, and that’s part of the process Justin,” Dr Hart said with a soft voice, “It’s part of the process of overcoming your obstacles.”
“But what if I don’t?” Justin asked sounding very scared, Dr Hart smiled and shook her head.
“You will Justin,” she said, “Just give it time, we have to work on it but you will. Trust me.”
“Okay,” he said in a whisper, “I will. Thank you doctor.”
“For what?” Dr Hart asked surprised and Justin smiled at her while turning his head to face her.
“For listening to me,” Justin said, “Thanks for listening.”
Words of Wisdom by angel_from_africa
Justin felt a lot better after talking to the doctor, even if it was for a little while. He finally felt as if someone understood him, someone other than his family or the guys. He smiled to himself as someone led him down a long corridor to group.
He knew that now he had a friend, a friend that had been able to see past the celebrity he’d become accustomed to, and just see the real him. Yes, his new friend was his doctor as well, but at least she knew where he was coming from, and that was all that mattered to Justin.
“So everyone,” Doctor Hart’s voice rang through his ears and he smiled at the sound of it, at least there was someone here that he knew. “Welcome to today’s session, how’s everyone feeling?” There was a mummer of voices before anyone actually spoke up.
“I’m doing better,” a male voice said and the tone in it matched that to what Justin felt, loneliness.
“That’s good Jay,” Dr Hart’s voice came again, “Do you want to expand on that?”
“Okay,” the voice, called Jay, replied shyly. “I guess you could say I discovered something more than I already knew.”
“And what was that?” Dr Hart asked, her voice was soft and gentle.
“I discovered I wasn’t alone,” Jay replied and Justin felt a cord inside him being struck, as if he understood entirely. “I have people around me who know what I’m going through, where I’m coming from.”
“That’s a great realization Jay,” Dr Hart said softly, “I’m glad you finally realized it. Anyone else?”
“I agree,” Justin finally spoke up; the sound of his own voice shocked him.
“Ahhh Justin, what is you’re take on this?” Dr Hart asked with kindness.
“I know that now I’m not alone, we all have someone there for us. They may not understand our background, but they know where we’re coming from,” Justin replied quietly. “We’re all in this together.”
“You’re right Justin,” Dr Hart replied and paused, “You all have each other, remember that. Like Justin said, you may not know what it’s like to live as either a celebrity or a regular Joe, but you all know what it’s like to be where you are today.”

Later that day, Justin sat in one of the rec rooms; well he thought it was because he could hear the TV playing. He didn’t understand why the TV would be on if everyone in the facility couldn’t see, but he didn’t argue. He was sitting on one of the couches, which were soft and cushy, tuning out the sounds around him, trying to figure out a tune in his head.
He so desperately wanted to be able to write music again, yes, maybe he could learn to play it but he wouldn’t be able to write it down without help. He sighed and tried to concentrate on the beat in his head, but he couldn’t. Because the sound of the news was too hard to zone out.
“Justin Timberlake,” he heard his voce so clearly, and he took a deep breath in trying to calm his nerves.
“Yeah, poor soul was in an accident right?” Another voice chimed in, Justin sat perfectly still, his beat forgotten. “How long ago was that?”
“Oh about a week,” the first voice replied.
“That long? Wow, I wonder where he is now. What ever happened to him, did they say?” the second voice asked, and there was a flood of laughter. Justin felt his insides tightening.
“Well according to the rumours the accident caused him to become blind. Apparently he’s in a home for the blind,” the first voice answered, Justin was loosing his breath. Falling faster and faster.
“Yeah well you can never trust rumours right?” the second voice replied, “I bet it was all some publicity stunt to get the band’s new record of the ground. I bet he’s fine, in the Bahamas or somewhere like that...”
“Okay that’s enough,” a familiar voice said as the news was turned off. “We don’t need to be listening to that.” There was silence, and then Justin felt a hand on his shoulder. “Are you alright Mr Timberlake? Would you like to see Doctor Hart?”
“Yeah,” Justin croaked before he could stop himself, his voice filled with tears.
“Okay then, it’s alright,” the voice said again and took hold of his hand. “Let’s go.” Justin nodded shakily, his heart beat never slowing down as tears ran from his eyes. “It’ll be okay, those people honestly they have no common courtesy,” they voice said again with anger; Justin smiled weakly at the person’s concern for him.
“Thank you,” Justin whispered, “But it’s their job.”
“What? It’s their job to go demoralizing a patient like that? After you’ve been through so much?” the voice replied as they led Justin a bit further.
“But I’m a celebrity,” Justin tried to reason; “It comes with the territory.”
“And so does respect,” the voice said again, “But obviously they don’t know the meaning of the word.”
A Genuine Smile by angel_from_africa
“Justin?” Dr Hart’s voice asked with surprise as he walked into her office.
“Hi doctor,” Justin said in a meek voice, the tears were still falling freely down his face.
“What happened?’ There were tones of concern to her voice as he walked in and sat down. “Is everything alright?”
“He had a bit of a set back,” the voice that had helped him there spoke up.
“Oh,” the doctor replied, “Well thanks; I can take it from here.”
“Okay then,” the voice replied and Justin felt them put a hand on his shoulder. “You take care now Mr Timberlake.” And then he heard footsteps retreating and a door close, and he was alone with the doctor.
“Justin, do you want to talk about it?” Dr Hart’s voice asked pulling Justin back to reality. Justin snapped out of his daze and nodded.
“They were back mouthing me, as usual,” Justin replied softly.
“Who’s they?” the doctor asked softly, and Justin shrugged.
“The reporters on TV,” he replied with a sigh.
“Oh, what did they say?” Dr Hart asked and Justin shook his head.
“They said I was faking it,” Justin said in a whisper, “I wish I was.”
“Now Justin…” the doctor said, but he knew she had no words to say because she’d never had to handle anything like this.
“It’s okay,” Justin said, “I know you don’t know what to say. You’ve never...”
“We’ll work through it,” Dr Hart replied with softness. “How did it make you feel?”
“What do you think?” Justin snapped, his nerves getting the better of him and he realized that. “Sorry.”
“It’s okay,” Dr Hart replied, “I understand you’re upset. That’s how I would feel.”
“Yeah I’m a misery,” Justin said with tears. “I can’t even take criticism anymore with out it getting personal.”
“But it was personal Justin,” Dr Hart said, “It was a personal attack on you, and that doesn’t make you a misery if you’re angry because of it. But people are going to act like that towards you, people in your shoes experience it a lot.”
“But they don’t have to be in my shoes,” Justin said, his voice rising, “Their not famous, they don’t hold that status like me.”
“Yes but famous people get criticised right? As do the blind, so you are experiencing both worlds,” Dr Hart tried. “Remember Justin, like we discovered today in group, you’re not alone in your endeavours.”
“I know,” Justin replied sadly. “But sometimes I feel like it.”
“I know you do, everybody does,” Dr Hart replied, “But we’re not.”
“Yeah,” Justin croaked and moved a hand to his face so he could wipe away the tears that refused to stop. “How can I stop it?”
“Stop what?” Dr Hart asked and Justin sighed.
“How can I stop feeling like this? Like I’m alone, and like no one understands, and like I’m a failure,” Justin said with aspiration.
“You have to make yourself not believe all those things,” Dr Hart replied, “That are your first step. I think you’ve accomplished at least one.”
“Really?” Justin asked with hope.
“Yes,” Dr Hart said, “You no longer know you’re not alone, you know people are here to help, people who are willing to listen and understand.”
“Yeah they are,” Justin said, “But they still can’t understand the whole me.”
“Then let them try Justin,” the doctor replied, “Let them try.”

“So how did it go?” the familiar voice asked Justin as he stepped out of Dr Hart’s office and led him back to his room. Justin smiled at the person’s concern for him.
“Good,” he said softly and the voice chuckled.
“That’s good, I’m glad they didn’t get to you,” the voice replied and Justin shrugged.
“I can’t let them get to me,” he said as he was led a few more steps.
“That’s the attitude to take,” the voice said, “But still they need to learn some manners.” Justin managed a small laugh at that. “I’m glad you’re at least laughing, I think that’s the first time you’ve actually smiled since you’ve been here. Well at least because you’ve found something funny.”
“Yeah I guess you’re right,” Justin said as they stopped.
“Okay, here we are,” the voice said and Justin nodded.
“Thanks,” he said and took a step forward as he heard the door open. “By the way what time is it?”
“Time for bed,” the voice said with a chuckle. “It’s about tenish. Night Mr. Timberlake.”
“Call me Justin,” Justin replied and the voice laughed.
“Okay then Justin, good night,” the voice replied softly.
“Night, um, what’s you’re name?” Justin asked, but he was met with silence. He sighed and felt his way to the bed and managed to get himself into bed, he was tired. As he lay there Justin smiled to himself, maybe being here wasn’t that bad after all, and he’d found people that understood him, and that was enough for him as he closed his eyes and fell fast asleep.

“Justin?” It was that familiar voice again, sounding over him as he woke up. “Justin?”
“Wha?” Justin asked waking up and seeing nothing but black. He felt a hand help him gently up.
“Hush, it’s only me,” the voice said softly, “You have a visitor.”
“Hey no name lady,” Justin said tiredly but with a laugh. “I have a visitor? This early?”
“It’s not early silly,” the voice said, “It actually past nine.”
“Oh,” Justin said and slowly sat up, “Who came to see me?”
“Hey kiddo.”
“Mike?” Justin asked sitting up straighter and he heard Mike chuckle as Justin smiled.
“Yeah kid,” Mike said, “I’m back, how was the weekend?”
“It was good,” Justin said with a grin.
“Well I think that’s the second time I’ve seen you smile,” the familiar voice said softly. “I think I better leave you two alone. Morning Justin, group is in an hour Mike will take you there okay?”
“Thanks,” Justin said still smiling. He felt someone’s weight get off the bed, and be replaced with a stronger weight.
“Bye Justin,” the familiar voice said and their was a soft closing of the door.
“So I’m taking you had an okay time?” Mike asked as he hugged Justin and Justin nodded.
“Yeah I did,” Justin replied. “Thanks.”
“For what?” Mike asked with a chuckle.
“For leaving,” Justin said shyly, “It taught me a lot.”
“Really?” Mike asked placing a hand on Justin’s shoulder.
“Yeah, I’ve been able to open up more,” Justin said with a laugh, “And I think I’ve made a new friend, someone who can understand me, even if I don’t know their name.” Mike laughed at that, it was good to hear that coming from Justin.
“I’m glad to hear it kiddo,” Mike said, “I’m glad you found someone you can relate to.”
Progress by angel_from_africa
They saw the difference in him; he smiled more and looked happier. They all sat around, watching their friend attentively.
“So everyone,” Dr Hart said with a smile looking around the group of Justin’s family and friends. “Mike came back today and Justin would you like to share with everyone what happened the past few days?”
Justin sat up straighter and smiled, “Yeah, I figured out I’m just human after all.”
“God, we’ve been telling you that for ages dude!” Chris said breaking the tension and making everyone, including Justin laugh. “Thank god you figured it out!”
“Do you want to talk about the events that led up to that Justin?” Dr Hart asked interrupting Chris’ outburst.
“Um, I don’t…” Justin began quietening down again and Dr Hart nodded.
“That’s okay; do you want me to tell them?” Dr Hart asked gently and Justin nodded.
“Yeah,” he whispered and everyone could tell that even though he’d made progress he wasn’t there hundred percent.
“Okay,” Dr Hart said and looked at the others gravely. “Yesterday Justin was in the rec room and the TV was on…”
“And there were reporters saying that I’ve been faking it to push the new record,” Justin finished interrupting the doctor. They all looked at Justin shocked and in silence before Johnny spoke up.
“J, I saw that, I’ve got the lawyers working on it, don’t worry,” Johnny said to reassure Justin but Dr Hart shook her head.
“It’s not important,” Dr Hart replied while every one looked at her bemused. “Justin has to learn that that is an every day discriminatory that comes with his disability.”
“But…” Johnny began but Justin cut him off softly.
“She’s right Johnny,” Justin said. “I have to learn to come to terms with the fact that I’ll be more of a target to media now than ever before, and I’m slowly learning that.”
“But J,” Johnny said, “I know that, but still they have no right to treat you like that.”
“Yeah but it’s their job Johnny,” Justin said, “You know that as much as me, they just don’t have much manners.” They all glanced at Justin who smiled as he said this.
“I know J,” Johnny replied with a sigh, “I’m just worried about you.”
“Well don’t be,” Justin said softly, “I’m fine, really. I’ve got Mike, and Doctor Hart, as well as my mystery friend here, all who have been more than helpful to me and have kept me safe.”
“As long as you’re safe,” Johnny said, “You’re like a son to me, and it’s good to know you’re safe.”
“I know,” Justin said with a soft smile and Dr Hart nodded.
“Would anyone like to add to that? Lynn? Paul? Randy? Lisa?” Dr Hart asked looking at Justin’s parents. Lynn, who was sitting next to Justin just smiled and took her son’s hand in hers squeezing it tightly for reassurance.
“I’m just glad my son’s okay,” Lynn said, “I’m glad you’re doing better Justin.”
“Thanks Mamma,” Justin said quietly as Lynn hugged him tightly. “I’m trying.”

“So I heard you made a new friend,” Chris’ voice came with a smile to it. Justin nodded and smiled, they were outside again after the session.
“Yeah I did,” Justin said softly, “Even though I don’t know their name, they just treat me like any other normal person.” Chris laughed and patted his friend on the back.
“That’s good man, and Mike’s back as well I see,” Chris replied, it was more of a statement than a question and Justin nodded.
“Yeah,” Justin replied, He felt Chris looking at him. “What?”
“You think you need Mike around all the time?” Chris asked softly and Justin shrugged.
“I don’t know,” he replied, “But I think Johnny would feel more comfortable if I did.”
“Yeah but J,” Chris said softly putting a hand on Justin’s shoulder, “It’s about you, not Johnny, what you feel comfortable with and I’m sure that’s what Johnny wants most, you being comfortable.”
“Yeah I guess,” Justin said with a shrug, “But I don’t really mind either way, now that I know there are more people here with me.”
“Yeah,” Chris said with a laugh, “There are a lot of people here for you J. Don’t ever forget that, I mean it.”
“I know you do C,” Justin replied, “Can I ask you something?”
“Yeah man,” Chris replied becoming serious again. “What’s up?”
“How come the other guys haven’t talked to me the way you have?” Justin asked, “Have I let them down?” Chris sighed and put a hand on Justin’s arm.
“No you haven’t man,” Chris replied and Justin sighed.
“But then how come they haven’t…” Justin began, “I mean Jayce, and at least I thought he’d…”
“He’s just confused right now,” Chris replied, “This situation is hard on all of us.”
“Yeah, but what is he confused about?” Justin asked and Chris sighed.
“He feels like he doesn’t know you anymore J,” Chris replied softly and Justin nodded.
“That makes two of us,” he said with a sigh, “But I’m figuring it out and I want him to be there when I finally find it.”
“I know you do kid,” Chris replied, “And Jayce will come around, and maybe you need to talk to him.”
“But how can I?” Justin asked, “When he doesn’t even want to talk?”
“He does,” Chris replied, “He just needs a little shove in the right direction, maybe you can give him that?” Justin sighed and nodded.
“Yeah maybe,” Justin said and Chris smiled, Justin was definitely progressing.

“Jayce,” Chris said walking up to the younger man from behind. JC turned around at the sound of Chris’ voice.
“Hey man,” JC said taking his eyes of Justin and glancing at Chris. “What’s up?”
Chris nodded towards Justin and smiled softly, “I think someone wants to talk to you.” JC glanced over his shoulder and looked at Justin.
“J? What does he wanna talk about?” JC asked because he presumed Justin had talked to Chris about everything.
“I think he wants to clear some things up between the two of you,” Chris said with a shrug. “He’s discovering himself, and I’m sure he wants you to be there when he does it.” JC sighed and shrugged.
“I don’t know him anymore C,” JC said, “He’s no longer my best friend, the one that I knew from MMC.”
“You should give him a chance,” Chris replied with a smile, “If you guys talk then you’ll get to know him again, and maybe the knowledge you have about him can help him.” JC looked at Chris and seemed to brighten up at the thought.
“Really?” JC asked hoping what Chris was saying was true. Chris nodded and let his gaze wander outside to Justin, where the younger man was busy talking with an older woman, who seemed to be one of the nurses.
“Yeah really,” Chris said as he and JC watched Justin for a while. Then Chris nudged JC. “Go talk to him, you’ll be surprised at how much he’s changed. But in a good way.” JC nodded and went to talk to his younger friend.

“So your friends came today,” it was that voice again and Justin smiled with a nod.
“Yeah it’s nice,” Justin said, “Nice to hear them again, especially my mom.” The voice laughed in agreement.
“Yeah mother’s have that effect on us,” the voice said with a chuckle. “My mother was the same; I was a mamma’s girl.”
“Was?” Justin asked moving his head up. “What happened to her?”
“Old age,” the voice laughed. “But enough of me, how do you feel now Mike is back?” Justin sighed and listened for a moment, this time the birds weren’t chirping but the smell of grass was evident.
“I don’t know,” Justin replied, “I like the fact that he’s back, but maybe I shouldn’t have him around all the time.” The voice laughed again and Justin felt a hand on his shoulder.
“Yeah but he helps right?” the voice asked. “I mean I always notice how he helps you get around.” Justin nodded and sighed.
“Yeah, but I need to learn how to do those things myself,” he replied, “Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate Mike being here, but I think he has better things to do.”
“Nothing’s better than being here protecting you.” Justin and the voice stopped talking as they heard footsteps walking up to them, making squishy noises in the soft grass.
“Jayce?” Justin asked with a smile.
“Yeah man,” JC said softly, “It’s me.”
“Okay then I better leave you two at it, it looks like you need to talk,” the voice said as Justin heard them get up. “Nice to know you’re improving Justin. See you later.”
“Bye,” Justin said as the voice shuffled away and he heard JC sit down next to him. “Hey Jayce.”
“Hey, so I talked to C,” JC began softly and Justin nodded.
“Yeah?” Justin asked and JC laughed softly.
“Yeah, so you want to talk?” JC asked and Justin sighed.
“I guess,” Justin said with a shrug and he felt JC place a hand on his shoulder.
“J, I would like to help,” JC said, “I’m sorry I’ve been distant lately, it’s just that I feel like I don’t know you anymore.” Justin smiled softly and nodded.
“Neither do I Jayce,” Justin replied, “But I’m trying to find out.”
“I know you are J,” JC said softly, “And I’d like to help with that. Would that be okay?” Justin laughed and nodded.
“I’d like that Jayce,” Justin said quietly.
“Me too,” JC replied and then Justin felt himself being pulled into a hug. “We’ll get through this J, whatever it takes; I’ll help you find yourself.”
“Thanks Jayce,” Justin replied hugging his friend back. “I need all the help I can get.”
“And you’ve got it,” JC said in a whisper. “You’ve got it J.”
Proudness by angel_from_africa
Justin felt a lot more comfortable now, knowing that his friends were all behind him. He was also very happy to know that one of his best friends was there. He’d been beginning to think that JC wanted nothing more to do with him.
“What you thinking about kid?” Mike’s voice asked interrupting his thoughts; Justin sighed and gave a small smile.
“About thins,” Justin said softly and Mike chuckled.
“Care to expand on that?” Mike asked and Justin laughed.
“Yeah okay,” he replied with a nod, “I was just thinking how great it is to have Jayce on my side.” There was a silence as Mike calmed down and patted Justin on the shoulder.
“He’s always been on your side,” Mike said and Justin sighed.
“Yeah I know, but it just didn’t feel like it until recently,” Justin said in a whisper.
“What do you mean?” Mike asked with concern and Justin sighed.
“I mean, he never would talk to me after the accident, until recently,” Justin said softly.
“I’m sure he was just thinking of what to say to you,” Mike suggested and Justin shrugged.
“That’s what Chris said,” Justin said softly and Mike sighed.
“And Chris was right,” Mike replied and Justin felt the mattress move. “Okay kid let’s go meet with Dr Hart.”
“Why?” Justin asked knowing that today he didn’t have an appointment with the doctor and Mike chuckled lightly.
“Do you want to tell her about your feelings towards Jayce?” Mike asked softly and Justin nodded.
“Yeah,” he whispered, because he knew he should talk to the Doctor, to keep the lines of communication open.
“Okay then,” Mike said and took Justin gently by the arm, “Come on, I’ll help you.”
“Thanks Mike,” Justin said and let Mike help him up. Before he knew it he would be back in the office that smelt like his home in Shelby Forest.

“Justin, and Mike,” Dr Hart’s voice said in greeting as they entered her office. Justin could hear cheeriness to her voice as they sat down. “How was the weekend Mike?’
“It was good,” Mike’s voice replied, “But I think Justin wanted to chat right kid?” Justin nodded slowly as he sat down.
“Hi doc,” Justin said with a smile, “Yeah I wanted to talk.”
“Okay then,” the doctor’s voice replied and Justin heard the shuffling of papers. “What can I do for you?”
“I talked to Jayce today,” Justin began and the doctor interrupted him.
“Jayce?” she asked with a hint of confusion in her voice.
“JC,” Justin confirmed with a nod.
“Ah and how was that?” Dr Hart asked and Justin sighed.
“It was different,” Justin replied.
“How so?” the doctor asked and Justin shrugged.
“Well, I was beginning to feel as if I’d let him down,” Justin replied and he felt Mike put a hand on his shoulder.
“Justin, you didn’t let anyone down,” Mike said and Justin nodded.
“Yeah I know,” Justin said, “That’s what I learnt when I talked to him.”
“What did you guys talk about?” Dr Hart asked softly trying to get the information from.
“He said he didn’t know who’ve I’ve become,” Justin replied softly.
“Well neither do you,” Dr Hart sympathized and Justin nodded.
“I know, and I told him that,” Justin said softly, “And he wanted to help me along my path of discovery.”
“That’s a good thing,” Dr Hart replied with a smile to her voice.
“Yeah it is,” Justin said, “I was just confused about why he never talked to me after the accident until recently.”
“Justin,” Dr Hart said softly, “Sometimes people are scared to admit and talk about what they feel after something so tragic because they don’t want to hurt those around them.”
“I know,” Justin replied, “I understand that now, after talking to him. I know all the guys have always cared for me like a brother.”
“And they still do,” Mike put in as Justin nodded in reply.
“Yeah I know,” Justin answered with a small smile. “After I talked to Jayce, it became reaffirmed.”
“And it should have,” the doctor said, “I’m glad you guys are finding common ground again.” Justin smiled at the sound of proud ness in the doctor’s voice, because he too felt as if he’d found his friendship with JC back again.
“I had begun to feel Jayce didn’t want anything more to do with me after the accident, but now I know he didn’t,” Justin said in a whisper, “I just wanted to share that with you.”
“And I’m glad you did,” Dr Hart answered, “This is a good sign Justin; it’s good that you want to open up more. This makes things a lot easier and it’s a step towards your rehabilitation.”
“So would you say Justin is getting better?” Mike asked in a soft voice and the doctor chuckled.
“Yes, definitely,” the doctor replied, “You’re already better Justin; you just need to learn how to channel your emotions to something positive.”
“And I want to,” Justin said, “But I want my friends and family to be there to help me.”
“And they will be Justin,” Dr Hart said, “All you had to do was realize it, and you have. I’m proud of you Justin, very proud.”
Selfish Reasons by angel_from_africa
It had been the few days since that conversation with Dr Hart, and Justin thought things would get better. But something was tugging at his heart, something that wouldn’t go away.
He woke up in a beating sweat, and for the first time ever he couldn’t remember what he had been dreaming about.
“Mike?” Justin called out; he heard the covers on the next bed rustle.
“Justin? Are you okay kid?” Mike’s voice asked, now getting panicky himself. Justin tried to breathe and shook his head, trying to calm down.
“Yeah… No… I mean I don’t know,” Justin whispered softly, and he groped for the sheets. He heard the bed next to him squeak and a few footsteps.
“Kid, what happened?” Mike’s voice asked softly. Justin felt someone sit on the bed in front of him and he shrugged.
“I just woke up in a state, it’s nothing Mike,” Justin whispered but Mike didn’t believe him.
“No it’s not Justin. You’re sweating off the rocks,” Mike said and Justin nodded, knowing that he wouldn’t be able to pull one over Mike’s eyes.
“I…” Justin began before, by some wondrous miracle, he began to slowly shed tears. “I need to speak to my mom.”

Lynn Harless rushed down the halls of the center, eager to see her son. It was very early in the morning, just before dawn, but that didn’t bother her. She was not at all tired, because waking up to the phone call that your son wanted to speak to you, made her wake up in a minute.
“I’m here,” Lynn said in a lost breath as she rushed into Dr Hart’s office, and the sight she saw made her take a step back.
“Mrs Harless,” Dr Hart said from behind her desk. The doctor looked calm and wide awake for someone in her position. “Please have a seat.” Lynn nodded and looked around the room; Mike smiled and got up from the seat next to Justin to let Lynn sit down.
“I’ll be outside if you need me,” Mike whispered into Justin’s ear who just nodded, and Lynn was sure her son had not even heard a word Mike had said. Justin was a mess, and she could tell by his heaving shoulders that he was crying.
“Justin honey?” Lynn asked rushing over to her son and putting a hand on his shoulder, thoughts of sitting down forgotten. “What happened?”
“Mamma?” Justin asked in a scared vice, “I don’t know… I just…” His voice trailed off as he began to cry again.
“Yeah baby it’s me. Dr Hart?” Lynn asked looking at the doctor, who just let her soft eyes fill with confusion.
“I’m not sure,” Dr Hart said calmly, “Justin just said he wanted to talk to you.”
“Is this true Justin?” Lynn asked him, Justin just nodded mutely. “What about baby?”
“I’m sorry mamma,” Justin sobbed even louder, and Lynn could swear her heart was breaking at the sound of her son’s sobs.
“Sorry for what baby?” Lynn asked soothingly, rubbing Justin’s back softly to calm him down.
“Mrs Harless, why don’t you sit down? Then we can talk,” Dr Hart tried but Lynn just shot her a glare, and the doctor kept silent.
“Justin?” Lynn asked softly. “Sorry for what honey?” Justin now managed to look up in his mother direction.
“I’m sorry for everything,” Justin said softly and Lynn looked at him.
“There’s nothing to be sorry for,” Lynn said softly and Justin shook his head.
“No there is,” Justin whispered.
“Like what honey?” Lynn asked her son as she wrapped her arms around him and pulled him close.
“I’m sorry I brought the bike,” Justin whispered, in a voice so low not every one heard it. But Lynn did, and she smiled sadly at her son.
“It’s okay,” Lynn said holding him tighter.
“But you were right,” Justin answered as he sobbed harder, “You’ve always been right, and I should have listened.”
“Yes, but Justin all that is in the past baby,” Lynn responded caressing his curly hair, “That’s all in the past.”
“But I should have listened,” Justin pleaded, wanting to be heard. “I was selfish, and didn’t want to listen.”
“No Justin you weren’t selfish,” Lynn soothed in a soft voice.
“Yes mamma I was,” Justin said between sobs. “And I’m so sorry.”

“Justin,” Lynn said in a stern but soft voice. “Stop saying that. You were not selfish.”
“Yes I was!” Justin cried desperately. Justin knew that his mother was telling the truth, but he felt he should be taking the blame for everything.
“Justin, why do you feel like that?” Dr Hart’s voice came up from the entire ruckus. Justin stopped his hysteria and tried to think.
“Because I didn’t listen when she told me not to buy the bike,” Justin replied, hiccups now taking over his cries.
“And why didn’t you listen?” Dr Hart asked in a kind voice.
“Because I was selfish. I wanted the bike and nothing else,” Justin whispered softly.
“Justin gets stubborn when he wants something,” Lynn’s voice put in a fond voice, “But he wasn’t being selfish.”
“Justin, stubbornness is not the same as being selfish. A lot of people are stubborn, but they’re not selfish,” Dr Hart explained, “And sometimes stubbornness can be a good thing.”
“But in my case it wasn’t,” Justin said in a small voice.
“Yes, but Justin you have to understand that sometimes stubbornness can turn into a mistake, even when we don’t intend it to become one,” Dr Hart reasoned and Justin shook his head.
“I wasn’t making a mistake, I knew what I wanted and didn’t want to listen to anyone until I got it,” Justin said in a hushed voice.
“Yes, but did you know this would happen?” Dr Hart asked, and Justin sighed.
“No but I knew it was a possibility,” Justin answered slowly.
“And so did Chris,” Lynn put-in rubbing his back.
“Wait, what’s this about Chris?” Dr Hart asked, obviously lost.
“Chris brought a bike on the same day as Justin brought his,” Lynn filled her in, and Justin heard the doctor ‘ahhh’.
“Well your mother is right Justin,” Dr Hart’s voice said with a smile. “Even Chris knew the possibility and he still brought a bike.”
“Yeah, but he didn’t have the accident,” Justin said angrily, and it was then that everyone in the room knew that Justin was still trying to over come the accident. No matter how hard he was trying it didn’t seem to be working.
Baby Steps by angel_from_africa
Baby steps, that’s what everyone seemed to tell him. Just take baby steps. He took a deep breath in and sighed, after the conversation with his mother he knew that was the only way to go. Although he didn’t know how.
He knew she was right, she always was. Chris even knew the possibilities but that hadn’t stopped him from being different. Yeah, but he didn’t have the accident, Justin argued again in his head. Chris was fine, had never encountered any problems. But he, Justin Timberlake had.
“Justin?” Mike’s voice cut through his thoughts and he slowly sat up trying not to fall over as he did so.
“Yeah Mike?” Justin asked knowing instantly where Mike was standing, behind him by the door.
“Come on get dressed, Johnny’s here to see you,” Mike said and Justin frowned.
“Johnny’s here?” he questioned slowly standing up and feeling around for his shirt that Mike had laid out for him the night before. “But today’s not group day.”
“I know,” Mike said with a smile in his voice, “But he just wants to check up on you. So hurry up, don’t want to keep the boss waiting.”
“Okay,” Justin said slowly pulling on his found shirt, “Give me a few minutes then we’ll go.” Over the past few days Justin had coped better with his disability, gaining a new skill everyday. As he pulled on his clothes he began to wonder what it was that was in Mike’s voice when he told him Johnny had come, there was something amiss, something he just couldn’t place his finger on.

“Justin.” Johnny’s voice was like music to his ears, a fatherly voice that filled his heart with warmth. He smiled at the sound of the voice as Mike led him into the room that smelt like roses.
“Hi Johnny,” Justin said as Johnny enveloped him in a big bear hug.
“How you holding up?” Johnny asked with strained concern and Justin could tell something was bothering the older man.
“I’m okay. What about you?” Justin asked and he heard Johnny sigh before he addressed Mike.
“Mike could you give us a moment?” Johnny’s voice asked kindly.
“Sure thing, I’ll be outside if you need me,” Mike said and Justin heard the heavy footsteps that he’d become so accustomed to hearing walk quietly away, and for the first time in days he felt threatened. Even though he knew Johnny would never hurt him, Mike had been there since the first day he’d come here and it was sort of a security to him.
“I’ve been okay kid,” Johnny said addressing Justin’s earlier issue and pulling away from him. “Let’s sit down; I have something we need to talk about.” Justin felt his heart leap, and merely nodded as Johnny led them to some chairs and helped him sit down.
“What is it?” Justin asked, nerves springing into his voice, “Does the doc know you’re here?”
“Yeah she does,” Johnny replied, “If fact it was she who said I should talk to you.”
“What happened?” Justin asked, now the worries had definitely taken over his voice. There was a slight pause before Johnny spoke.
“They found the driver of the truck,” Johnny said and Justin felt his whole world come to a halt.
“They?” he asked with curiosity.
“Yeah, after the accident I went to our lawyer who filed a report with the police…” Johnny began, “And they tracked down the truck and its driver.”
“What does that mean?” Justin asked confused with this new information as he felt Johnny’s had on his arm.
“It means,” Johnny said and paused, taking in a huge breath, “That we can sue for damages. That’s if you’re up to it.” Justin sighed and wondered what to say.
“I don’t…” Justin began stopping himself short wondering why he was not agreeing to it. The man who had been driving that truck had put him here, and made him doubt himself. So why was he hesitating.
“Its okay kid, if you don’t want to we don’t have to,” Johnny said softly as Justin felt the older man place a hand on his arm.
“No, it’s not that,” Justin whispered wondering how to explain himself, “It’s just that…” He didn’t know, he couldn’t explain himself and Johnny understood.
“I get it kid,” Johnny said, “So you don’t want to do anything?”
“No,” Justin answered with a sigh, “I do. Let’s go ahead and see what happens.”
“You’re sure?” Johnny asked and Justin could hear scepticism in his voice.
“No I’m not,” Justin replied, “But I know it’s something that needs to be done, for me to get closure on this whole thing.”
“Okay then,” Johnny said with a sigh and helped Justin up. “I’ll talk to the lawyers tomorrow and let you know. Don’t worry kid, you’ll get your closure, it just might take a bit of time.” And Justin knew he was right, he’d just have to be patient and wait. But he didn’t know if he could even do that, he’d have to wait and see.
A Little Bit of Relief by angel_from_africa
Thinking about what Johnny said, Justin lay down that night and felt a little bit of the weight he’d been carrying for the past few days shift off his shoulders. But even though he knew this could result in a little bit of closure for him, he still felt extremely guilty himself, guilty for not listening to his mother. And that was something that would not go away over a law suit.
Justin realised that the fact that Johnny and the lawyer had found the truck and its driver had been a good thing. Now it meant that another door had opened up for him. A door to peace and tranquility over the situation. They could sue the driver, and possibly the truck company for damages and he would feel more at ease.
But Justin couldn’t do that with his mother. He couldn’t sue himself for being stubborn now could he? He had to accept the fact that the decision he’d made was wrong, and it was a selfish one. He knew it, even though his mother had countless times denied it, even she couldn’t tell him he was wrong. Because if he hadn’t pushed and pushed for that bloody bike he wouldn’t be here. He wouldn’t be not able to see the pain in her face when she told him he’d made a mistake.

Lynn took a sip of her tea and lent back into the sofa, her husband’s arm cocooning around her as they listened to Johnny. She smiled softly up at her husband as Johnny told them his conversation with her son, about how Justin wanted to go ahead with the case and she sighed.
It was a good thing, she knew it because it meant it would give him something positive to look forward to, that’s if they won the case but she wasn’t going to dwell on that right now, all that mattered was her son’s well-being.
“So Justin wants to go through with it and I think it’s a good idea,” Johnny finished setting down his mug of coffee and looking at Lynn and Paul. “What do you guys think?”
“I think he’s made the right choice,” Paul replied and looked at his wife, “Right Hon?”
“Right,” Lynn murmured back closing her eyes and picturing her son and how calm he must be. “He’ll be a whole lot happier.”
“Well I’m glad you guys support him,” Johnny said with a smile, “I didn’t doubt that. Anyways, I’ll go ahead and call the lawyer then shall I?”
“Yes, and let us know if we need to do anything,” Paul agreed noticing his wife has veered off into a trance of her own thinking about her son.
“What if they need to talk to him?” Lynn asked suddenly out of her trance and looking worriedly at Johnny who smiled at her wryly. “Could he handle that? Reliving it all for the millionth time?” A worried frown set into her features.
“Well I’ve talked to Dr Hart,” Johnny began, “And she seems to think Justin will handle it fine, after all he knew what was involved when he agreed to it.”
“Yes, but he’s so fragile now,” Lynn sighed, “I just hope it won’t break him more.” A smile formed on Johnny’s lips as he saw the woman worrying for her son, it reminded him of the old Nsync days when Lynn refused to let Justin go on tour in Europe at the age of 14 with out her.
“Justin’s strong Lynn,” Paul cut-in seeing her distress as well, “He can handle anything.”
“I know,” Lynn sighed and leaned closer to her husband. “I just worry about him that’s all.”
“I know sweetheart,” Paul replied kissing her forehead lightly. “And that’s okay, after all you are his mother and it’s a mother’s right to worry.”

“Justin?” Justin sat up slowly so not to fall over and felt around him.
“Hey no name lady, where’s Mike?” he asked the voice, his voice a lot calmer than it usually had been.
“He wanted me to let you know he had to go home for a few hours,” the voice said softly helping him out of the bed. “Is it alright if I helped you today?” Justin smiled softly and nodded. He felt comfortable around this person; the sound of their voice over the past few days was becoming more familiar to him. And to him it had a soft comfort to it.
“Yeah,” he said and felt around for his clothes, he felt the warm denim fabric of his jeans being placed in his hands. “Um, thanks.” He could feel himself blushing.
“That’s alright dear,” the voice replied, it reminded him of his grandmother.
“You remind me of my nana,” he said and the voice laughed a soft bellied laugh.
“Well I’m glad my age doesn’t reflect that,” the voice replied and put a hand on his shoulder. “Anyways let me leave you to get dressed, when you’re done give me a shout, I’ll be in the corridor. Then you can tell me all that I’ve missed these past few days.” Justin smiled with a nod as he heard the footsteps regressing, then he realised he didn’t know the name of the voice.
“Wait!” he called out, his voice sounding more panicked than it should have.
“Yes Justin?” The footsteps stopped, and the voice had a slight scare to it.
“I don’t know your name,” Justin said sheepishly.
“Oh sorry dear,” the voice said and gave a low embarrassed chuckle. “It’s Anna.”
“Okay Anna,” Justin said with a smile and knew that if he could see her he would let his eyes sparkle. “I’ll call you when I’m done.”
“Okay Justin,” Anna replied and Justin heard the footsteps begin and it wasn’t long before he was alone again, even for a short while.

“So what have I missed?” Anna’s cheerful voice brought him back to reality.
“Johnny called the lawyer,” Justin replied suddenly feeling very open.
“Really?” The shock in Anna’s voice was evident. “What about? If you don’t mind me asking.”
“They found the driver of the truck that hit me,” Justin said softly and he heard Anna sigh. “They want to sue.”
“And what do you think about that?” Anna asked and Justin shrugged, he still hadn’t had time to process his feelings on the subject.
“I…its okay I guess, right?” he asked hesitantly and Anna laughed softly.
“Yes it is Justin,” she replied and led him further down the corridor they were walking along so they could sit outside and enjoy the sunshine.
“That’s what I thought,” Justin whispered and he felt Anna pull them to a soft stop.
“Justin, this is a good thing,” she told him, probably sensing the uncertainty in his voice. “It can help you move towards closure.”
“I know,” Justin agreed and bowed his head a little. “But not everything can be cured with a lawsuit.”
“Of course not Justin,” Anna’s voice came again as they began moving again, “But some of it can.”
“Like what?” Justin wanted to know and Anna sighed.
“Your self blame for one,” Anna said softly, “I can see it in the way you talk Justin, and you blame yourself for everything.”
“But it is my fault,” he began as tears threatened to fall again “If I hadn’t...”
“Well you did,” Anna replied, “But you weren’t the one who was driving that truck now were you?”
“No, but I could have watched where I was going,” Justin retorted as they stopped so Anna could open a door.
“And so could the driver of that truck,” Anna reasoned, “Do you think he was watching where he was going?” They stepped through the door and Justin heard the birds and could hear the crunch of gravel beneath his feet.
“We can’t say that he...” Justin began but stopped, realising that Anna had a point.
“You have no proof to say the driver was driving carefully,” Anna said as she led him a bit further, “So you can’t go blaming yourself when blame could easily be put on the driver. You have to wait and see, before you start pointing fingers. Like my mother used to say, don’t count your chickens before they hatch.” And even though she didn’t know it at the time, Anna’s words calmed Justin down tremendously, taking a pile of weight from his shoulders.
Wanting Another Chance by angel_from_africa
Waiting, the waiting was killing him and in the dark it killed him even more. He had no sense of time, and even if he did it wouldn’t help him. He had no one to sit and wait with since Mike still hadn’t come back from visiting his family and Anna had to step out to do some work for the doctor. So here was alone, Justin Timberlake was alone.
He sighed and wondered if the lawyers would call him or Johnny. Deep down he hoped it would be Johnny because he knew he wouldn’t be able to speak so intimately about that day to any lawyer.
He leant back on the bed, slowly as not to loose his balance, and tried to forget about the phone call. He tried humming a few new tunes in his head which was something he’d been trying for days now but with no luck, and this time was no different. Justin tried not to cry as nothing came up in his head, because he just couldn’t understand why he found nothing to write about.
Dr Hart had previously suggested that it might be a good idea for him to re-visit his music, as sort of a therapy for him. He hadn’t actually sat down and wrote anything in a long time, since the accident in fact, and he’s agreed with the doctor maybe it would help. But nothing was coming, not even an ounce of creativity was flowing from him. Even though he knew he had so much to write about. He had to write about his pain, his loss and his needs, but he just couldn’t and he couldn’t understand why.

He remembered the days when he could write music, he could write about a fish and make it good. But now he couldn’t write about anything, and it was tearing him to shreds.
He walked silently along side Mike as they made their way to group a few days later, using the wall for support. He still hadn’t heard from Johnny and wondered if Johnny would be there today to tell him what the lawyers had said.
“Justin? We’re there, turn to your left,” Mike’s voice said interrupting his thoughts and making him stop. He smiled gratefully and carefully turned to his left.
“Thanks Mike,” he muttered as Mike helped him into the room. He walked a few more steps and stopped, wanting to hear a familiar voice but heard nothing. “Where is everyone Mike?”
“They’ll be here kid,” Mike’s voice replied from behind him, “We’re a few minutes early, why don’t you sit down?” He nodded and let Mike help him sit down. Once he was seated he gently tapped his foot, unknowingly, to an unknown beat.
After a few minutes, he heard footsteps hurrying into the room, and he moved his head around to where the sound was coming from.
“J sorry we’re….” Chris’ voice came but stopped short as he realized he wasn’t really at all that late. “Good we’re not late, hurry up Joe.” Justin smiled at the sound of Chris’ voice.
“Hey C,” Justin replied, unable to hide the smile in his voice. “Is Joe here?”
“Hey J,” Chris’ voice replied, he sounded closer. “Yeah Joe is here, somewhere you know how slow…”
“I’m here! I’m here!” Joey’s unmistakable voice said as he barged into the room, and Justin heard Chris being shoved out of the way. “Hey J, what’s happening?”
“Hey Joe,” Justin answered, trying not to laugh, but with Joey it was impossible. “I’m doing well, sounds like you’re still your old self.”
“Yeah you could say that,” Joey’s voice replied as a chair was pulled up. “Let me catch my breath for a second.” There was heavy panting coming from Joey and Justin heard Mike chuckle.
“Man Joe, you’re so bloody violent,” Chris’ voice put-in, and the sound of another chair being pulled up was heard. “Sorry about that J, you know how immature Joe can be.”
“Oi!” Joey’s voice interrupted and Justin laughed.
“Its ok C,” Justin replied with a nod and sighed. “So where are the others?”
“I dunno,” Chris’ voice replied, “They told me to pick Joe up and head here, so technically they should be here but their not. Joe you know where the others are?”
“Beats me,” Joey’s voice answered, he had fully recuperated. “I think…”
“Oh good God,” JC’s voice interrupted Joey by the door. “Hey Lance, we got here just on time.”
“What? Oh good,” Lance’s voice replied, “Hey J.”
“Hey guys,” Justin replied with a smile, “Glad you made it.”
“Where have you two been? You’re late,” Joey’s voice told JC and Lance as Justin heard Joey tap his watch.
“Nah, you’re early. For once,” JC chuckled as his footsteps neared the group. “Now don’t worry J, we weren’t going to leave you here with these two.”
“Ha-ha, very funny,” Chris’ voice came sarcastically, “Don’t listen to them J. They’re just jealous of me and Joe, right Joe?”
“Right!” Joey said a little too enthusiastically and Justin laughed. It was nice to be with his four friends, goofing off as usual.
“Ahhh good, everyone’s here we can begin,” Dr Hart’s voice came interrupting the conversation the boys were having. “Why doesn’t everyone pull up a seat?”
“Wait, my mom, dad, Trace and Johnny aren’t here,” Justin said before she could say anything else.
“They’re not coming today J,” Lance told him softly.
“Lance is right Justin,” Dr Hart told him, “I just wanted the guys here today, so we could have a more focused group and talk about your needs as a group.”
“Okay,” Justin nodded in understanding, and reverted back to himself. This meant he’d have to tell the guys about his inability to write music, and he didn’t know if he could do that.

All Justin wanted was another chance, another chance to go back and not buy the bloody bike, another chance to be able to see the faces of the people he loved. If he could do that then everything would be okay, or so he felt.
But he knew he would never get that chance, and that’s what killed him the most. He would never be able to back in time and change everything that had taken place since the accident.
After the group session, after he was able to confess to the guys that he couldn’t write music anymore and wanted to turn back time, the guys had told him it was okay to feel that way, that they understood where he was coming from. But he knew they had no clue what he was going through.
Even though he was grateful to them for trying to console him, a part of him still wondered. What if this had never happened to him? Then what? There would be no feeling of emptiness, no feeling of loneliness and there’d be no case.
Johnny had called after group and told him he’d spoken to the lawyers, and that they’d be there in a few days to discuss the next steps that needed to be taken since Justin had agreed to go ahead and sue the driver of the truck and the truck company.
Now all Justin had to do was figure out if he could re-live the events of that day. The day when his world changed.
Loosing My Way . by angel_from_africa
Dr Hart was sitting at her desk, shifting through the files of all her patients, and finishing paper work when the phone call came through.
“Dr Hart,” she replied answering, the phone and not looking up from her work.
“Dr Hart? Hello this is Dr Halifax from Orlando General,” a male voice came. Dr Hart stopped what she was doing and leant back in chair.
“Ah, Dr Halifax, how can I help you?” she asked rubbing her eyes and sniffling a yawn.
“I was the doctor who looked after one of your patients, a Mr Justin Timberlake?” Dr Halifax informed her.
“Ah yes your name was mentioned in my file. What can I do for you?” Dr Hart answered, leaning back forward and quickly grabbing Justin’s file.
“Well,” he replied, “I don’t know if you were informed but, Mr Timberlake received major damage to his occipital lobes after the accident.”
“Yes, that’s what my file says. Is there anything else?” Dr Hart questioned with a nod, she heard Dr Halifax sigh.
“Unfortunately yes,” he answered, and there was a shuffling of paper from his end.
“What is it?” she asked, grabbing a notebook and a pen to write down any further information.
“Well, the damage is more visible on the right hemisphere of the patient’s brain,” Dr Halifax answered.
“Why was this information not relayed to either me or my patient?” Dr Hart asked with shock shuffling through Justin’s file to find evidence of what Dr Halifax and just told her. “My patient should have been notified at the time of his accident.”
“Yes, I know he should have, but at the time when he was a patient here we thought the damage was only in that one area and had not spread,” he replied as Dr Hart took in a sharp breath as she received this information. “But when you called for the information we rechecked the scans that were taken and saw that was not the case.”
“Have you contacted Mr Timberlake’s family?” Dr Hart questioned him.
“No not yet,” he answered, “I was going to get to that after I spoke with you and made sure you knew so you could inform Mr Timberlake.”
“Good, I’ll let him know as soon as we’re done here,” she nodded and put down her pen. “Was there any other information that was unnoticed before that I should know about?”
“No not that I can see. But you know what the information I just relayed to you means don’t you?” Dr Halifax asked and Dr Hart nodded.
“Yes, I took a few biology classes in university but please re-fresh my memory,” she answered, closing her eyes.
“Well, as you know Mr Timberlake is a musician and the damage to his right hemisphere could affect his musical ability to some extent,” Dr Halifax replied.
“To how much of an extent?” Dr Hart asked, wondering how she was going to relay this news to Justin.
“To an extreme. Because the damage is so severe,” Dr Halifax responded, and Dr Hart shook her head.
“Thank you Doctor,” she told him, “Is that all?”
“Yes that’s it,” he answered, “Have a good night.”
“Okay, I will. Thanks,” she replied, “Good night.”
“Good night,” Dr Halifax said before hanging up. Dr Hart sighed and replaced her phone, but not before she quickly picked it up again and dialled a number.
“Hey Anna? Yeah, it’s Doctor Hart. Can you get Justin to come see me? It’s urgent. Thanks.”

Justin had been sleeping, or that’s what he thought he was doing. He had been trying to sort out the thoughts that were running through his head. His confession to the guys, and the pending law suit, all ran through his mind.
After he’d confessed to them, the doctor had stressed that he keep on trying to formulate music in his mind and try to write something. To keep his mind of the other things, and to try and over come this new problem. But how could he do that, when the music was the one thing clogging his mind the most?
He had been fighting these thoughts, and had been half asleep, when Anna came into his room and informed him that Dr Hart wanted to speak with him right away in the middle of the night.
So here he was, in that office that smelt of the woods, just him and Dr Hart. Mike had been asked to give them a few minutes, and Justin knew that meant something bad.
There was a tension in the air before anyone spoke.
“So you wanted to see me?” Justin asked the obvious question.
“Yes I did,” Dr Hart’s voice replied with a sad tone to it. “Justin, are you still having difficulty writing music?” Justin was caught off guard with her question, and hesitated for a second or two.
“Yeah I am. Why?” he asked, and the doctor sighed.
“Justin, I want you to do something for me, can you try and sing a song that you wrote?” Dr Hart requested and Justin shrugged.
“I don’t know, I mean I haven’t tried,” he answered, he fiddled with his fingers.
“Well can you try?” she asked and Justin nodded.
“Okay,” he whispered, and blocked out everything in the room, trying to focus on the one song that meant something to him. ‘Never Again’.
“Okay, in you time,” the doctor told him.
“Would have given up my life for you, guess it’s true what they say about love its blind…..” His voice trailed off, as he realised it was seriously off key. “What’s wrong with me?” He felt his voice breaking with tears.
“Justin, it’s okay,” Dr Hart’s voice came trying to console him. He shook his head, and fought back the tears.
“I mean, I know the words, I can hear the song in my head. But that, that was crap,” he muttered, “Why?”
“Justin,” Dr Hart began knowing she had to tell him. “I received a call from the hospital today.”
“The hospital?” Justin asked and Dr Hart sighed.
“Yes,” she answered, and then began to tell him what Dr Halifax had told her. Knowing that which each word, she was breaking his heart.
Fighter by angel_from_africa
Justin couldn’t remember the last time his heart stopped beating like that, but he had a feeling it was sometime after he found out about Britney. But this time the feeling was worse. He couldn’t breathe properly, his head was spinning and worst of all he didn’t know where he was.
He had become accustomed to not knowing where he was after the accident, but now it was worse. He really had no clue; all he knew is that he was sitting in a room somewhere. Surrounded by people, people that loved and cared for him.
“J? Can you hear us?” Trace’s voice seemed far away and distant, as if he were not there with him. He tried to move his head in a small nod, but nothing happened. “J, if you can hear us…”
“Justin, say something,” his mother’s voice cut in front of Trace’s and Justin wondered why he couldn’t move.
“He’s just in shock,” Dr Hart said in a soothing voice, “Everything will be alright Justin.” His head was beginning to hurt, now that the spinning had stopped, and he somehow placed his head in his hands.
“Justin, you’ll be okay,” his mother said rubbing his back gently, “You’ll over come this.” He lifted his head, but didn’t say anything just shook his head.
“You will J,” Trace’s voice came from somewhere nearby. “Don’t say that you won’t, because you know you will.” He took a breath in and tried to relax, because he knew Trace was telling him the truth. But it was a truth he somehow couldn’t face.

JC had heard the news from Joey, who had heard it from Lance, who had heard it from Chris, who had been told by Johnny. When JC hard the news, it was like a slap in the face, not only for him but the four other guys as well, especially Justin.
He actually wondered how Justin was coping with this news, and when he walked in for their weekly group sessions that week, he knew instantly. Justin was sitting with his head in his hands, surrounded by three people. The Doctor, Trace and his mother.
JC’s heart went out to his younger friend as he watched him; his body was shaking slightly from what JC presumed to be tears. JC sighed and shook his head before walking over to his younger friend.
“J?” he asked approaching his friend, everyone looked up as he approached. “J, it’s me Jayce.” His voice was softer now as Trace made room for him beside Justin and JC knelt down by his side.
“Jayce?” Justin’s voice was cracked, full of hurt and anguish.
“Yeah kid it’s me,” JC replied softly and placed a hand on his friend’s shoulder. “How you holding up?”
“I….” Justin’s voice trailed off and JC understood with a nod. He looked around him, and the other three nodded in agreement, giving him a silent approval.
“You wanna talk about it?” JC asked, and he saw Justin nod slowly. “You wanna go outside?”
“Yeah okay,” Justin replied, he sounded defeated as if he’d let anyone and anything happen get to him.
“Okay then,” JC got up slowly and reached for his friend’s hand. “Come on, take my hand.” Justin nodded quietly and groped for the older man’s hand. He found it and took it with an appreciative smile.
“Thanks Jayce,” Justin responded, as JC began leading them out of the room.
“J.” Johnny had appeared in the doorway just as they were leaving, and stopped them. His voice seemed sombre, as he knew the situation. “Are you okay? Jayce what’s going on?” Johnny gave JC a confused look.
“It’s okay, we’re just gonna go outside for a bit and chill,” JC replied with a knowing smile, “We’ll be back in a few, when the others come can you tell them to head on outside with us?”
“Um, yeah okay,” Johnny replied nodding in understanding at what JC was getting at. “Better you guys go grab some fresh air and hang out for a bit. Just you guys, you haven’t done that in a while.”
“Thanks Johnny,” JC said with an appreciative nod. “Come on J.” Justin nodded as JC tugged his hand gently and led him out into the courtyard where the sun shone brightly onto the grass.
They walked over to an empty bench and JC helped Justin sit down on it, before sitting next to him.
“So J, let’s talk,” JC told the younger man after a while of silence. “How you handling things?” JC looked at his friend, and before he even replied he knew exactly what Justin was going to say, because that’s how close they were. They were as close as blood, if not closer.

They sat in silence for a while before either of them spoke. Then Justin broke the silence, his voice cracking at the seams.
“I can’t do this Jayce,” he whispered, he had been afraid about everything.
“What do you mean?” JC’s voice asked, and Justin sighed. He tried not to let the tears form back in his throat.
“I mean everything,” Justin began, “I can’t finish what I started here, and I can’t sing for shit.”
“What do you mean J?” JC voice was laced with confusion and Justin shrugged.
“Everything that classified me as me, that made me Justin, well it’s all been taken away from me,” Justin replied, his voice had become lower, but JC caught it.
“J, you’re still you,” JC tried to reassure Justin, but the younger man shook his head.
“No Jayce, I’m not. My music was me, it made me who I am, and now it’s been taken away from me,” Justin replied and sighed heavily.
“Justin,” JC began knowing he had to reassure Justin, “Yes, your ability to produce music may have been taken away, but you still know the music. Besides, that’s not what makes you you, what makes you is who you are inside. Trust me, I’m your best friend and I know you better than anyone, and this is what I’m telling you.”
“But Jayce…” Justin’s voice was teary as he listened to his friend talk, he knew he was right but he couldn’t believe it.
“No buts J, you know I’m right,” JC’s voice said softly, “I know right now you feel like shit, as if a part of you is missing, and it is, but you’ll get it back and I’m willing to help you on that.”
“How do you know I’ll get it back? The doctor said that the possibilities were thin,” Justin argued, his voice becoming strained.
“I know because I know you,” JC’s voice reaffirmed, “You’re a fighter J, like Joey told you that day in the hospital, it’s in your bones. You’re a fighter, and a stubborn one at that. I can tell you want that ability back.”
“Thanks Jayce,” Justin said after a short while, realizing his friend was right. “You’re right, I do want it back, badly.”
“Then fight for it J, go back in there and practice or do what ever it takes,” JC’s voice said, “And I’m sure, no I know, everyone will support you in that, and they’ll help you get to where you were before the accident, in all aspects of your life.”
“Thanks Jayce,” Justin told his friend, and produced a small smile. “I will, I’ll go back in there and fight for it.”
“You’ll fight for what?” Justin heard the grass squish behind them, as someone bounded over.
“Hey, guys,” JC’s voice greeted the new comers, “J’s gonna try get his musical ability back and we’re gonna help him.” JC was sort of bossing the others around, as if assuring Justin that it would all be okay, Justin smiled at the thought.
“Okay yeah cool,” Chris’ voice said as Justin felt him plonk himself down next to Justin and put an arm around him. “Hey kid, how’s it hanging? Ready to let me help ya?”
Hey C,” Justin said with a smile as he heard the cheeriness in Chris’ voice. “I’m doing better, thanks to Jayce.”
“I didn’t do anything,” JC’s voice came bashfully and Justin shook his head.
“No you did a lot thanks,” he replied with a smile.
“Yeah, Jayce can’t do anything.” Justin let himself laugh as he heard Joey’s voice, “So why are we all out here freezing our balls off?” Justin felt Chris being shoved aside and someone pull him into a hug. “Hey J.”
“Hey Joe,” Justin whispered and hugged his friend back. “We’re just chilling, right Jayce?”
“Right,” JC affirmed with a small smile. “So Joe, where’s Lance?”
“I’m right here,” Lance’s voice came and Justin felt Joey let go of him, and someone else hug him. “Hi ya kid.”
“Hey Lance,” Justin replied, “I’m glad you’re all here. I thought you weren’t coming.”
“Of course we’d J, you’re our little brother, we can’t not come. Especially after we heard the news,” Lance responded and Justin noticed his friend’s voice fall a hitch.
“I’ll be alright,” Justin reassured them; actually it was more for himself.
“Of course you will J,” JC’s voice cut in. “And we’ll all be there to help you if you need us, right guys?”
“Right,” the other three said simultaneously, and Justin smiled because now he knew he could do it. He could fight to get his life back, what ever it took.
Offerings by angel_from_africa
He knew he had to fight to get his life back, because he had to get it back. It didn’t matter how long it took, just as long as he did it. But right at that moment his mind was clogged with other things that needed to be cleared up first.
He sat silently opposite Johnny, not knowing which room they were in or what Johnny’s face said. Justin mutely wondered what everyone in the room was thinking.
I had been a few days since he had talked to the guys, and everyday they had called, reassuring him they would be there for him, especially JC.
“Justin,” Johnny’s voice was low and hollow, and broke through his thoughts. “We need to discuss this kid.” Justin nodded slightly and sighed heavily.
“I know,” he whispered and ran his hands against the table top. “I’m just afraid of this becoming public, I don’t need that Johnny.”
“I know kid,” Johnny’s voice replied and placed a hand on Justin’s arm. “I know you’re worried about that but we’re going to do our best to try and keep it under wraps. Besides you need to focus on other things right now.” Justin produced a small smile for his manager and gave a little nod.
“So what is the final decision?” Justin asked coming back to the issue at hand and he head Johnny sigh. “Johnny?”
“We’re still talking to the driver and the truck company J,” Johnny’s voice said, “But we can’t go any further without your account of what happened that day.”
“Johnny I…” Justin began not wanting to go there, he had become reclusive over the past few days.
“J, I know it’s hard for you…” Johnny’s voice replied but was cut off by the doctor who was sitting in on the meeting for Justin’s sake.
“Justin, we know it’s hard for you but you need to be able to say what happened out aloud you know that, or else you won’t really recover emotionally,” Dr Hart’s voice explained gently and received a small nod from Justin.
“I know,” he answered softly and placed his chin on his chest. “Where do you want me to start?” It was as if he was giving in, defeated by everything he knew.
“You don’t have to do it now,” Johnny’s voice answered but paused as the lawyer said something quietly to him, something that Justin didn’t quite catch. “Why don’t you start with when you got on the bike?”
“Okay,” Justin nodded and took a deep breath in as he relived the events of that day.

He felt as if he was out of breath, as if he hadn’t been able to breathe in a long while now. He sat in the dark, succumbed by darkness. He wondered where everyone had gone to, leaving him to deal with his problems alone.
He knew that after he had relived his ordeal from that fateful day, that is was supposed to help him, sort of make him accept it more. But it didn’t. He didn’t feel as if it helped him, in fact he felt as if it had just made things worse.
“Justin are you okay?” Justin lifted his head slowly as a hand placed itself on his shoulder.
“Hi Anna,” he whispered, his voice almost gone from pain and fear.
“Are you alright?” Anna’s voice asked him again and Justin nodded slowly, before shaking his head.
“Ye.. No, no I’m not,” he mumbled and out his head in his hands.
“Why? What happened?” Justin heard her pull a chair up, as she sat down next to him. Her hand never leaving his shoulder.
“I can’t write music anymore,” he said softly, as if scared to reveal the truth.
“What do you mean?” Anna’s voice asked in a kindly tone. Justin shrugged and took a deep breath in.
“They found out that I have more severe damage on the right side of my brain than my left from the accident,” he replied, “My musical awareness has been messed up.”
“Oh Justin I’m sorry,” Anna’s voice replied with sincerity, “But don’t worry you’ll get it back.”
“That’s what everyone keeps telling me,” He replied, “They said I need to fight to get it back, but I don’t know if I can do that. I mean I know everyone is behind me but…”
“You have to try Justin,” Anna’s voice replied and she squeezed his shoulder for reassurance. “You know Justin, my daughter used to be just like you.”
“You have a daughter?” Justin asked, his ears pricking up almost like a dog’s. Anna sighed, before continuing.
“Yes, I have a daughter,” she replied, “A few years ago she was in a similar situation as you were. She had been riding on the back of her boyfriend’s bike when they crashed.” There were tears in Anna’s voice as she spoke.
“I’m sorry,” Justin whispered and bowed his head.
“That’s alright,” Anna’s voice replied, “Anyways she sustained major brain damage after the accident, and the doctors said she would never be normal again. But I didn’t accept it, her music has always been her life, I knew it was what she needed to get better. So I helped fight to get that insight to music back, everyday I would make her sit at that piano and play something for me. Eventually she recovered what she lost, now she’s one of the top students at Julliard.”
“Did she want it back?” Justin asked and Anna sighed.
“She did, but she was like you. She didn’t believe in herself enough to believe she could get what she loved back,” Anna’s voice said and Justin smiled.
“So you think I can get it back? I mean…” Justin began and Anna cut him off gently.
“Yes Justin,” she replied with a smile to her voice, “I think you can because you’re so much like her. You have a fire inside you, a fire that has a passion for music. You can’t let that passion die.”

He was still trying to register what Anna had said a few days earlier when he sat at the final family group session. He heard nothing, but around him the excited voices of his family and friends chirped. They were eager to have him back, and knew that he could cope on his own in the outside world. The only problem was Justin didn’t think he could.
“Welcome everybody,” Dr Hart’s voice welcomed everybody, and the chatter slowly faded away. “Well I guess today is Justin’s last day with us here. Would anyone like to say anything?”
“I do!” Joey’s high and energetic voice cut through the silence.
“Yes Joey?” Dr Hart’s voice asked.
“I just wanna say how proud I am of J,” Joey’s voice stated. There was proud ness laced in Joey’s voice as he continued, “I think we all are, right guys?” There was a unanimous agreement in the room, before Dr Hart cut in.
“Well I’m glad to hear it, because we here at the center think Justin has made a drastic improvement from when he first arrived,” Dr Hart began. Justin felt his throat get caught up in his throat; he knew he should say something now or it would be too late.
“Dr Hart?” his voice was squeaky but it caused everyone to stop and look at him.
“Yes Justin?” Dr Hart’s voice was kind and soft.
“I want to stay longer,” he stated, and there was dead silence in the room before anyone spoke.
“What? Why?” the voices intertwined in his ears before he could finish.
“J, why would you want that? You’ve improved so much,” JC’s voice asked through all the noise. Justin shrugged and took a deep breath in, knowing what he was about to say would be the best thing for him.
“I know I have,” he replied, “But I still need more time. I need to be here, there are things that I need to sort out before I go.”
“Like what?” Joey’s voice was filled with hurt, and maybe a bit of anger.
“Like…” Justin began; he knew he was hurting the guys, “Like I need to be able to come to terms with the fact that right now I can’t make music.”
“But J, we can help you,” JC’s voice was strained. Justin nodded and bowed his head.
“I know, that’s why I need to stay. I need to understand why it happened to me,” he replied, “In order to move on and try and get it back.”
“But Justin..” Johnny began before Dr Hart interrupted.
“I know you are all upset by Justin’s decision as well as shocked, but I believe it is a good thing,” Dr Hart began and continued before the protests could begin, “I think Justin is right, and I’m glad he was able to come to the conclusion himself.”
“We’re not angry,” his mother’s voice said, “We’re just a bit shocked I guess. I never thought Justin would grow up so fast, but he has. And I agree with you doctor, I think this is the best decision yet.”
“But Lynn…” JC’s voice argued but Lynn cut him off.
“No JC, you know as well as I do this is the best decision that Justin can make,” Lynn replied, “And if it’s what he wants, we can’t deny him that.”
“Fine,” came the grumbled reply. Justin knew everyone was upset at his decision, but it was what he needed to do. And for once in his life, he was going to make the right decision, he was going to be selfish for the right reasons this time. Because like Anna said, he couldn’t let the fire die.
Journey of Life by angel_from_africa
Justin knew his decision had been the right one. And as he sat alone in the darkness that enveloped him, he knew it even more. However his thoughts were still evaded by those of his mother. He still felt guilty about buying the bike even though he knew the possible consequences, and now he knew he had to address the issue with her.
It had been two days or so since his decision to stay longer at the center, but in that time nothing much had changed. He hadn’t heard back from Johnny about the law suit, and he hadn’t had the courage to call his mother to talk to her.
He sighed as he sat across from the doctor and placed his hands in his lap as he heard her making the long awaited phone call. After a while of idle chatter, the phone was placed back into its receiver and Dr Hart cleared her throat before addressing him.
“Justin?” Dr Hart’s voice asked, he lifted his head up at the sound of her voice. “I just spoke with your mother, she said she’ll be here as soon as she can.”
“Okay,” he whispered in a small nod, he was afraid of facing his mother.
“Well, while we wait why don’t we talk some more?” Dr Hart asked, “How are things going Justin? Do you feel better that you decided to stay here longer?”
“I guess so,” he replied and paused, wondering how he really felt. “Yeah I do, feel better I mean but at the same time I feel scared because I don’t know where to expect.”
“What do you mean?” Dr Hart’s voice questioned, Justin sighed and rubbed his hands together, he could feel the raw skin that had accumulated due to the heat of the recent weather.
“Well,” he began and licked his lips, “I just.. I’m afraid of what I might find once I cross the line of what I might find when I get there.” He held his breath and waited for her to respond.
“Justin, life is a journey that we travel,” Dr Hart began softly after thinking about what he just said, “A journey with many different turns that we are all not too sure about, but in time accept.”
“I know,” he answered and sighed, “But sometimes I wonder if I need to take anymore turns. I mean I’ve already gone down so many roads in the past three weeks, I don’t think I can handle anymore.”
“Then if that is the case Justin, what are you still doing here?” Dr Hart asked softly, “Because without taking those roads how are you ever going to gain back what you lost?”
“I can’t gain back my eye sight,” Justin whispered and the doctor sighed.
“I’m not talking about that Justin,” she answered and leaned forward to place a warm hand on his arm. “I’m talking about your music. I know you’re scared to continue on this path we’ve created here but this is the path that’s going to lead you back to your music.”

A few minutes later, after the doctor had finally managed to convince Justin that his decision was a good one and he was not to be scared, Lynn rushed into the office and sat down next to her son.
“Justin,” she said and leaned over to envelop him in a motherly hug. “Is everything alright?”
“Yeah mamma,” he answered, and Lynn immediately knew he was not.
“Justin honey, what happened?” she asked with confusion and looked at the doctor for help. “Doctor?”
“I think Justin maybe having second thoughts about his decision to stay longer,” the doctor explained with a small smile and glanced at Justin, “But I don’t think that is why Justin wanted you to come, right Justin?” Justin sat silent for a few minutes, not answering and Lynn looked at her son about to say something before he spoke up.
“Yeah,” he barely whispered, and Lynn set a frown into her features, worried about her son. “I’m sorry mamma.”
“For what honey?” Lynn asked confused at what Justin was referring to. She placed a hand on his back and rubbed it gently. “Justin? Talk to me here.”
“I know you said I shouldn’t be sorry, but I am,” he continued as if he hadn’t heard what his mother had said. “And I can’t shake the feeling out of my mind.”
“Justin I don’t…” Lynn began but Justin cut her off, continuing.
“Mamma, I know as much as you say that I wasn’t being selfish I know that I was, deep down inside I know. And I can’t stop the feeling,” Justin replied sadly, Lynn sighed and closed her eyes wondering how she would get through to her son.
“Justin, it wasn’t your fault. Okay, so you wanted the bike but even I knew I couldn’t stop you,” she said after a while and he opened his mouth to speak.
“But I should have listened,” he whispered and she shook her head.
“No, you didn’t have to Justin,” Lynn answered softly, “I just said those things because I’m your mother and I worry. But you weren’t being selfish; you’re a grown man I can’t tell you how to spend the money you earned. We’ve already been over this honey.”
“I know, but mamma I still brought the bike, and I knew the possible consequences,” Justin whispered and Lynn sighed. She looked at the doctor not knowing how to convince her son another way.
“Justin,” Dr Hart broke through and looked at Justin, “Everyone knows buying a bike is dangerous. You just happened to be one of the millions who unfortunately got to see the danger. It was fate Justin, unfortunate fate.”
Justin sighed with a defeated nod, and Lynn knew that her son knew the consequences. She also knew that her son knew that the doctor was right. What had happened to Justin was fate, unfortunate fate that took away the two things that meant the most to him. His sight and his music.

The next day, after Lynn had left him again Justin found himself sitting with his four brothers. They had wanted to talk to him about something; but as of yet no one had spoken a word.
“So, um, J how are things?” JC asked slowly, Justin could tell JC was still upset about his decision.
“They’re better but it’ll take time,” Justin replied softly with a nod.
“Yeah it will J. I, um, we’re glad you’re thinking like that right guys?” Chris’ voice asked, there was a unanimous agreement from the others before Dr Hart interrupted them.
“Ahhh, good everyone’s here we can begin then,” the doctor’s voice said as Justin heard footsteps entering the room and stopping just a short while later.
“Why are we here doctor?” Lance’s voice asked with confusion as Justin heard the doctor sigh.
“Well, I thought it would be good for you all to talk because I think he needs that in order to help him with his recovery,” Dr Hart answered in a low voice.
Justin gave a small smile, because what the doctor had said was true, he hadn’t seen any of the guys or spoken to any of them properly for a few days now and he desperately wanted to talk to the guys.
“I think so too,” JC’s voice came softly as the others agreed with him.
“Well good, because I want to focus on how you will all cope once Justin is released from the center. The one thing I want you to understand is that once Justin goes out into the real world things will be a whole lot different,” Dr Hart began to explain. “And I hope the bond you have will carry on through the hard ships that will face you.”
“We will doctor, don’t worry,” Chris answered and Justin felt an arm being slung over his shoulders. “We’ll be there for J no matter what. Right kid?”
“Right,” Justin nodded with a small smile, he realised that the doctor really had no idea about the bond that the five of them shared.
“I know you will all be there for Justin. But what about each other? This effects not only Justin but the rest of you as well, I hope you realize that,” Dr Hart reminded them, she didn’t sound as harsh as the words could have meant.
There was a short silence for a while, as none of them had really realised that. They knew that Justin would definitely be hounded by press and it would effect him the most, but they had never really thought about themselves because Justin was their number one priority at the time.
“We don’t care about what the world has to say about us,” JC’s voice said defensively, “All that matters is Justin, as long as he’s alright…”
“Well, I know that because of me you have to go through all the scrutiny,” Justin answered as he felt tears in his throat, “And I’m sorry for that.”
“Why are you sorry J?” Chris’ voice questioned, “You couldn’t help what happened.”
“Yes I…” he began before the doctor cut him off.
“No Justin you couldn’t, we’ve been through this a thousand times,” the doctor said gently, “You could not have avoided what happened, because fate cut in remember?”
“I know but…” Justin began and JC cut him off.
“No buts J, you’re alright and that’s all that matters,” JC’s voice reaffirmed.
“But Jayce,” Justin interrupted quietly. “I’m not alright.”
“What do you mean J?” JC asked, as Justin felt eyes on him.
“I mean, that I think Dr Hart is right. This isn’t only effecting me, it’s also effecting you guys and that upsets me. To know that I…” Justin began but was cut of by Joey.
“J, don’t think like that,” Joey said.
“Joe’s right J,” JC’s voice cut in, “You aren’t hurting us. This is just effecting us press wise, but we can handle that. All that matters to us is you.”
Settlement by angel_from_africa
“Justin?” The voice was distant and he vaguely recognised it as he awoke from a deep sleep. His mind was heavily clogged up from the past few days events and he wondered was he all that his friends cared about? It was nice that they cared so much, but he felt like they should at least care for themselves in some respect to the media frenzy.
“Yeah?” he grumbled and sat up slowly, trying not to fall off the bed. Hand placed itself on his shoulder to steady him up.
“You have a visitor?” the voice asked, now that it was closer he could tell it was Anna. He smiled softly and nodded.
“Who is it?” he asked and allowed Anna to help him get out of the bed and get dressed.
“It’s your manager Johnny,” Anna replied softly and handed him a pair of jeans as he made his way to the end of the bed. “But he’s not alone.”
“Oh, so the others are with him?” Justin asked, his interest peaking at the thought of his four friends. He heard Anna sigh as he took the denim from her with a smile.
“No, your friends aren’t with him,” Anna answered and he felt his smile fall.
“Oh,” he said sadly and placed a hand on the bed so he could begin getting dressed.
“Look, why don’t you get dressed so you can go meet Johnny?” Anna asked cheerfully, trying to forget what she had just heard. Justin nodded and unfolded the jeans.
“Okay, I’ll be ready in a bit,” he replied quietly and he heard Anna shuffle out of the room, closing the door slightly behind her, leaving him to get dressed.

“Mr Timberlake.” The voice was new to him; it was an older masculine voice as he walked into the room. He tried to smile, but failed.
“Johnny?” he called out into the darkness before he felt a hand place itself on his shoulder.
“Hey kid,” Johnny’s voice said, and Justin released that bit of air that was holed up in his throat.
“Hey,” Justin acknowledged as he was helped into a chair. “What’s going on?” He heard Johnny sigh, and a chair being pulled closer to him.
“Justin, I’m here with both our lawyer, Dale Finch, and the lawyer for the truck company, Luke Hatton,” Johnny began after a long silence, “We wanted to talk to you about the progress we’re making on the law suit front.”
“Okay,” Justin nodded, feeling his tension return. There was a silence before anyone spoke again.
“Mr Timberlake, I’m Dale Finch,” the older masculine voice from before began and Justin nodded as he felt someone take his hand and shake it. “I’m the lawyer your manager hired for you.”
“Hi,” Justin said softly and pulled his hand away gently.
“And I’m Luke Hatton,” a new voice said from the side, “I’m representing the truck company.” Justin nodded in acknowledgement before anyone continued. “Mr Timberlake, I’d like to approach you with a proposal my clients would like to offer you.”
“And what would that be?” Johnny cut in, as he saw Justin had gone silent for the moment.
“My client is offering a one million dollar settlement in order to settle this out of court,” Luke replied calmly, but it was received with mummer from Johnny and Dale.
“Out of court?” Dale asked, “but that is not what we agreed Luke.”
“I know, but my clients feel it would be better if this was settled out of court. Would you really like to see this hit the front page of the Enquirer?” Luke asked, he knew exactly which cards to play and how to play them right.
“No, but the decision we made was that…” Johnny cut in, but Justin interrupted him.
“I think we should go ahead with it,” Justin said speaking up for the first time in a while. “He’s right, I don’t want this all over the tabloids Johnny, you know as well as I do they will have a field day with this.”
“I know, but Justin…” Johnny protested and Justin shook his head, he knew what he was doing. He really didn’t want this all to go to court, where it would be a public circus for everyone to admire as they wanted.
“No Johnny,” Justin said firmly, “I know you want what’s best for me. But that is what would be for the best, not only for me but for the guys as well. You know once I get out of here the media will go mad with us, and they don’t need the extra fuel that a court case will bring.” He noticed, the room had gone quiet and his chin was resting on his chest.
“Are you sure it’s what you want J?” Johnny asked after a while and Justin nodded, refusing to add more to the conversation.
“Okay then. Mr Hatton, if we are to proceed with this agreement will the one million your client is offering include medical bills and such?” Luke interrupted, taking control of the legal side of things.
“No,” Dale answered and Justin felt eyes on him, “Mr Timberlake has suffered enough. He is right when he says the media frenzy will cause him more damage, therefore my clients are willing to pay an extra half a million to cover medical costs and expenses endured since the time of the accident.”
“Fine, we’ll finalize this once we get back to my office,” Luke nodded as Justin heard papers shuffling.
“Wait,” Justin called out, and the shuffling stop. “The driver of the truck was he….? I just, I need to know.”
“Yes Mr Timberlake,” Dale answered with a soft, defeated sigh, “Unfortunately he was and we are very sorry for the fact that you had to endure such hardship because of that. We hope the settlement will be able to fix all that.”
“Nothing will ever fix what happened,” Justin said softly and turned his head away. “I know that now. But maybe the settlement might help Johnny and the record label recover from the loss of money that they put forward for us to record another album that never will make it out of the studio,”
“Don’t say that Justin,” Johnny cut in and placed a hand on his shoulder, and Justin turned away.
“No Johnny it’s right and you know it,” he said and sighed. “Thanks for the offer Mr Hatton, please tell your client that we accept it and that Mr Finch will go over the details with you.”
“I will Mr Timberlake,” Dale said, “Thank you for your time, and again we’re deeply sorry for your loss.”
Justin sighed and offered the man a small nod, and as he did so he heard Johnny sigh as well. They both knew right then and there, that this was the end for the group but even though the settlement would not help that Justin would be able to move on. Because he now had hope, and faith and he knew he was not alone in his onward battle with his life.
Eplilogue by angel_from_africa
One Year Later: Grammy’s 2007.


“This year the Lifetime Achievement Award is being presented to an artist who has truly shown the Academy that anything is possible,” JC’s voice came from the podium with Chris, Joey and Lance all behind him nodding in agreement as they watched Justin sitting in the crowd.
At first when the Grammy organisers had approached Johnny with the idea that the guys should present the Lifetime Achievement Award Justin had been upset, and he still was, because he would not be included.
Johnny had said it was because he was scared of what the reaction would be if Justin presented the award with the other guys, but something told Justin that wasn’t the truth, something was up.
But even so, as Justin sat in the plush red chairs, surrounded by his cocoon of darkness, listening to his four brothers present the Lifetime Achievement Award, he thought about his life and how it had changed over the past year……

Ever since he had left the center after two months of staying there, he had gained everything he needed to make it in the real world.
“You’re going to do great Justin,” Dr Hart’s voice spoke to him as she hugged him. He could tell that they were standing outside the glass doors to the center, just on the top step.
“Yeah Justin, and remember if you need anything we’ll be here for you,” Anna’s voice cut in with a smile. Justin smiled and reached to hug her.
“Thanks for everything,” Justin smiled and reached out for Cameron’s hand so she could help him down the stairs.
“Justin wait, we have a gift for you,” Dr Hart’s voice stopped him in his tracks, he shook his head with a smile.
“You didn’t have to…” he began but was stopped by Cameron’s voice.
“Justin, don’t be stubborn,” Cameron laughed softly and Justin chuckled beside her as he heard footsteps rushing away and back again.
“Here we go, give me your hand Justin,” Anna’s voice said after a while, and Justin obeyed. He reached his free hand out for Anna, but instead of receiving a hand he received smooth, hard wood.
“What is it Anna?” Cam? Doctor?” Justin asked confused as Anna guided his fingers around the wood.
“It’s just a little something to help you along the way,” Anna’s voice smiled softly.
“It’s beautiful,” Cameron’s voice came from over his shoulder, and Justin nodded with a smile.
“I’m sure it is,” Justin said, “Thank you Anna, doctor. Thanks for everything you’ve done for me. If it wasn’t for you, I don’t know…”
“It wasn’t all us Justin,” Dr Hart interrupted him; “It was everyone around you.”
“I know,” Justin answered and hugged the doctor again. “I know I’m not alone.”
“That’s right,” Dr Hart replied with a small laugh. “Now go on, get on with your life.”
“I will, and again thanks,” Justin responded softly as he felt Cameron tug gently at his hand. “Thank you Anna, for being my friend.”
“No problems honey,” Anna laughed and pulled him for a hug as well. “We’re gonna miss you, and remember don’t let the passion die.”
“I won’t,” Justin replied, “Bye guys.”
“Good bye Justin,” Anna’s voice said and Cameron softly tugged his hand.
“Baby? The guys are waiting,” Cameron reminded him gently. He nodded and gave a light sigh.
“Well I better go, good bye guys,” he smiled and let Cameron lead him down the steps. As he walked he realised the present that had been given to him helped him walk without much help.
“Good bye Justin! Don’t forget about us!” Anna’s voice called as he stepped into the car and he knew he would definitely never forget them….

“As me and my three friends stand up here today, ready to present this Award to its recipient we are very proud and honoured to be able to do so,” Chris’ voice cut through his thoughts, continuing from where JC had left off, and made Justin focus his attention back to his friends. But it was hopeless, his mind managed to wander even further….

“That’s cool J,” JC smiled at his friend as he watched Justin bopping his head softly at the music playing in his head, “Really cool.”
“Yeah kid, you’ve really come far,” Chris agreed nodding his head and sitting beside JC as they never took their eyes off their younger friend. “He’s improving a lot.”
“Correction he has improved,” JC corrected realising their friend would not pay attention to what they were doing anytime soon.
Ever since Justin had come in this morning, he had a bright smile on his face because he had suddenly been able to hold a tune. But it really hadn’t been sudden, for the past two months each of the guys would meet up with Justin to help him, like they had promised.
And now here they were, and here was Justin able to hit another note in his book, able to create the music he wanted to make, without any of the limitations that had been brought to him by life.
“Hey J, you ready to put some of this down solid?” JC called standing up and stretching as he walked over to his younger friend and placed a hand on his shoulder.
“Yeah?” Justin asked as he felt a hand being placed on his shoulder, he stopped singing and moved his head about.
“You ready to lay this one down solid?” JC asked, and Justin smiled so much so that you saw crows’ feet forming at the corner of his eyes.
“Yeah, I think I’m ready,” Justin answered and helped himself stand up. “I’m ready to do this.”

“Because the candidate for this year’s award is someone who is admired and has strengthened our belief, that anything is possible as long as you believe in yourself as well as others. He has passed through mountains of criticism and piles of obstacles just to be where he is today,” Lance’s voice added. Justin pulled himself from his memory and tried once again to concentrate. But Lance’s words struck a chord with him because it mirrored his own life in the past year and as a familiar tune filled his ears Justin’s mind filled with another memory….

“You can’t give up now J,” Joey told his friend wrapping him in a big Joey hug, “You’ve come too far. Remember what Anna said?”
“Yeah,” Justin nodded and tried to figure out where Joey’s voice was coming from. “I shouldn’t let them get to me like that.”
“Right,” Joey nodded and patted Justin on the shoulder, “Because they need to show you respect. We’ve always known how to handle the press kid, especially you. I don’t wanna see that sizzle now.”
“I’ll try not to let it Joe,” Justin sighed in agreement. “But sometimes I can’t help it.”
“I know kid,” Joey said sympathetically and pulled Justin in for another hug. “But try okay? For me and the others.”
“I will Joe,” Justin nodded just as footsteps were heard rushing into the room, and someone panting heavily.
“Hey C, who’s chasing you this time? Is it Jayce or Lance? And if so how close were they?” Joey asked the new person who grunted in response and Justin chuckled.
“Ha-ha very funny Joe,” Chris’ voice came in a series of pants, “I’m glad you find that so amusing. But anyways J, guess what?”
“What C?” Justin asked still trying to control his chuckles.
“I just came back from talking with Mike, who just talked to Johnny, who just talked to Clive…” Chris began and Joey cut him off.
“Hurry up old man we don’t have all bloody day you know,” Joey laughed and Chris sighed.
“Yeah okay hang on,” Chris said and took a breath, “Okay, so anyways they all told Mike to tell me to tell you that you know your new record? Your solo record?”
“Yes, he knows what you’re talking about. He did record it you know,” Joey said sarcastically and Justin laughed.
“Yeah what about it C?” Justin asked, his nerves suddenly acting up as he sat up straight.
“Well my friend,” Chris continued triumphantly and had a dramatic pause. “It made it to the number one spot on Billboard!”

“A year ago he believed his world was truly over, but today he knows differently. He knows that the choices we make in life are not there to be mourned against, but rather to learn from them and take what we have learned as new information to what we already know,” Joey’s voice came with a smile to it. Justin grinned to himself, because he knew what they were saying was true for himself he had over come a lot in the past few months….

Justin sighed and fiddled with what he presumed was the end of his shirt out of nervousness as he and his mother sat alone in her kitchen knowing they needed to talk about what each was feeling.
“Justin…” Lynn’s voice began cutting through the silence of the room and starting the conversation.
“Mamma,” Justin cut through and took a deep breath in, “I wanna tell you something.”
“What is it honey?” Lynn’s voice asked laced with curiosity. Justin sighed and ran a hand over his head.
“I don’t think me buying the bike was the right idea obviously,” Justin began and continued before his mother could cut him off, “But in the past few weeks, with my album coming out and all I really feel that maybe this all happened for a reason you know? Maybe I was supposed to have that accident and meet the people that I did because I had a lesson to learn. I had to learn I am never alone in my life and that things such as the accident are things I can’t control. It was fate, so I guess it wasn’t really my fault then was it?”
“No Justin it wasn’t,” Lynn’s voice said as she pulled Justin closer to her for a hug, with a smile in her voice. “And you know what honey? You’re absolutely right. You had to learn a lesson; you had to learn that the accident wasn’t your fault.”

“Anyways, on to the main reason we are all standing up here tonight,” JC’s voice continued, “This year’s Lifetime Achievement Award recipient is someone that all four of us have grown to love just like another part of our family, because he is our family. He is a brother to us, a brother who we could not afford to loose. This year the Academy is proud to present its Lifetime Achievement Award to Justin Timberlake.”
Justin felt his heart stopping as JC said his name, and a ripple of applaud filled the room. He sat there, stunned that this could happen to him, before someone gently nudged his sides.
“J, dude, go on get up there,” Trace’s voice whispered in his ear. Justin nodded and reached out for a hand to help him get up. He felt his mother grab his hand gently and pull him up into a hug.
“I’m so proud of you baby,” she whispered into his ear and hugged him tighter.
“Hey J, you wanna join us up here and grab this thing?” Joey’s voice joked from the stage, Justin chuckled and nodded.
“Go get that award honey,” his mother whispered after a while as her grip loosened around him, “You deserve it.”
This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=44