The Conspiracy Theory by cailinaingeal
Summary: Lance is suddenly introducing his out of the blue girlfriend on national televison. This is just one theory as to why.
Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: Lance Bass
Awards: None
Genres: General, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 7694 Read: 4372 Published: Dec 17, 2007 Updated: Dec 17, 2007
Story Notes:

This story was started several years ago.  Now looking back we all know just why Lance had a sudden apperence of a girl friend.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. 

1. Chapter 1 by cailinaingeal

2. Chapter 2 by cailinaingeal

3. Chapter 3 by cailinaingeal

Chapter 1 by cailinaingeal

Lance could hear the telephone ringing as he tried to unlock the door. They are just going to have to wait a moment he thought as he fumbled with his keys. He had only been in Orlando forty-five minutes after a week of a promotional tour and the bus almost twenty hours straight. He was tired and all he wanted to do was fall into his bed and pass out. Lance was finally able to open the door and drag his bags into the front hallway. He wondered why the answering machine hadn’t picked up when he heard the phone still ringing; somebody really wants to talk to me he thought.

“Hello,” he picked up the phone and answered.

“Hey,” a soft voice came from the other end of the telephone.

“Laura?”

“Yeah, how was your trip?”

He could her sniffling between words. “Honey, what’s wrong?”

“When are you going to be in Mississippi again?” She asked as she tried not to break down in tears.

“I don’t know, at least a couple of weeks. We’re about to head to New York again, maybe after that. Laura what’s wrong?”

“I didn’t want to tell you over the phone, but I guess I don’t have a choice.”

“Laura you’re starting to scare me. Just tell me what’s wrong.”

“Lance, I’m pregnant.” Laura’s voice shook as she spoke. She strained to hear a response. “Lance?”

Lance’s head was swimming with questions. “Are you sure?”

“Yes, I went to the doctor’s yesterday. Lance, I’m pregnant.” Listening to her, he could tell her tears began to fall again.

“Is it mine?” Lance asked. It was her turn to be silent. “Laura?”

“I know this isn’t a real relationship and we can see anyone we want.” Her sobs were becoming louder; she was losing the battle to keep the tears away. “But I haven’t been with anyone else, just you. Lance, I never meant for this to happen.”

“Have you told anyone else yet?”

“No,” she squeaked out. The tears were making it difficult for Laura to speak. “I have known for a few weeks now, but part of me didn’t want to believe it.” The tears caused her to choke on her words. “I would pray at night that the drugstore tests were wrong, that some how they all had been defective.”

“How many did you take?”

“I took three and all three said I was pregnant.”

“Oh,”

“Then the doctor confirmed it yesterday.”

“You’re really having a baby.” Lance said as if actually saying it would help make it real.

“I think I hear someone at the door,” Laura lied. “How about you call me back later.” She wanted to give him time to let the news sink in. It had been a shock to her when she first found out also.

“Okay, I’ll call you later tonight.”

“Thanks,” Laura said before she hung up the phone. Lance hung the phone up and sat there in shock.

It began almost a year ago, having a weeklong break Lance decided to go home to Mississippi. He made all the usual calls to his friends letting them know he was in town and wanted hit a few clubs. After several hours of dancing and drinking Lance, Laura and a few other friends end up back at Lance’s house. He wouldn’t have called it party, it was just some friends hanging out. Slowly it dwindled down to just Lance and Laura.

He knew the alcohol was affecting his brain when he started complaining to Laura about the lack of available women in his life. “Who ever said being a popstar gets you women lied.”

“I have seen the women lined up outside the hotels, there is no lack.”

“Those aren’t women, those are girls…well, ok some of them are women, but you can’t sleep with the fans.”

“From what I have heard from the other guys you can hold your own in the clubs.”

“Yeah, random hook up are ok but I end up feeling more lonely in the morning then I did when I went to the club the night before.”

“Now you sound like a girl,” Laura giggled.

“Thanks,” he felt the ache from his almost constant state of arousal. “The sad thing is that even if I did find the woman I was looking for I don’t have any time for a relationship.”

“It’s ok,” she said as she patted his knee. “I can’t find anyone either and I’m not even famous.” She curled up on the couch next to him laying her head in the crook of his neck. It was not unusual for Laura to spend the night at Lance’s house when they had been out drinking. Although she didn’t drink much the alcohol always seemed to hit her hard. “Why can’t we find someone,” she asked still nuzzled against his neck. “We are a couple of great people.”

“We will.” He kissed the top of her head and rubbed her arm. “There are two people out there waiting for us.”

Lance felt Laura shift her weight as she began to kiss the side of his neck. He knew it was because she was drunk, but so was he and it felt too good to ask her to stop. He heard a slight moan but he wasn’t sure if it had come from him or her. Laura’s lips started to move toward his. He always thought that kissing Laura would be like kissing his sister, but as soon as their lips touched he knew it felt nothing like a sister. Lance moved so they were lying side by side on the couch. Her hands began to slide up and down his back and sides. This time he knew the moan was definitely from her. Laura’s mouth moved from his mouth down his throat and licking his Adam’s apple. “Are you sure about this?” he asked. Her only reply was to rub her hand over the front of his jeans. “I think we should take this upstairs then.” Lance stood and held out his hand to her.

The next morning Lance woke curled up next to Laura. He had been drunk the night before but not drunk enough to not know exactly what happened. He wondered how much of it Laura would remember. Lance crawled slowly out of bed so he wouldn’t wake Laura and put on a pair of boxer shorts.

“Good morning,” she said with her back still to him.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to wake you.”

“You didn’t,” she said as she rolled over to face him. “I have been awake for a while.”

“Listen about last night.” Lance sat back down on the bed. “I …I don’t know how much you remember, but…”

“I remember it. I didn’t mean for this to happen. I was laying there on you and your cologne smelled good and it was doing weird things to my head.” Laura sat up in bed covering herself with the sheet. “All I could think about was kissing you. I didn’t expect kissing you to feel like that, I didn’t want to stop.”

“Yeah, it was pretty much the same thing for me too. It has been a little while since, well you know,” Lance blushed slightly. “I guess our hormones got the best of us.”

“What do we do now?” Laura asked.

“Go back to being friends, I guess.” Lance started running his fingers over the sheet. “I don’t see any reason why we should stop being friends.”

“I don’t think an eleven year friendship should end because of one night.” Laura paused for a moment. “While I was laying here this morning I wondering what it would be like if our friendship change a little.”

“Laura, it’s not going to change.” He tried to reassure her. “We can be friends like we always have been.”

“What if we want it to change. You said you didn’t have time for a real relationship and Lord knows at one point or another I have gone out with every decent guy in this one horse town and it’s not looking good for me either.”

“Are you suggesting we be boyfriend and girlfriend?” Lance asked unsure.

“No, not boyfriend and girlfriend. It would be more like friends with benefits. We would be helping each other out. I seem to remember both of us really enjoying ourselves last night.”

“Yeah, I did,” Lance smiled.

“We would only do it as long as both of us are comfortable with it. Both of us can date anyone we want, but if it starts to get serious with the other person then we will stop.” Laura looked into Lance’s eyes. “What do you think?”

“Friends with benefits,” Lance pulled Laura back down on the bed. “I think I could get use to this idea.”

Lance and Laura continued their deal over the next year. They would see each other when Lance would come home to Mississippi or Laura would fly to wherever the guys were on tour at the time. This wasn’t unusual, they all had friends that would occasionally visit while they were out on the road The last time they were together a little over three months ago. Joey had been on a porno movie kick that week. Lance didn’t even want to ask what Joey was doing to get rid of all of his sexual frustrations. Lance, however, couldn’t wait to get home.

Laura had flown to Orlando to spend a few days with him. He called Laura as he left the WEG compound to let her know he was on his way home. “Joey’s movie selections have a little to be desired, well maybe a lot to be desired.”

“Are you ready for a quiet night in tonight? She laughed.

“If I hear one more person moaning and it’s not me I am going to explode, “ he groaned. “I’ll be there in five minutes…or less.”

When he walked through the townhouse door he saw Laura sitting on the couch wearing nothing but smile. This time they never made it upstairs or to the condoms in the bathroom. They both agreed that not using one wouldn’t hurt just this one time.

Now he sat on the same couch staring into nothingness. He was going to be a father. It wasn’t that he did not like the idea, he always thought he would be married first or at least in love with the person not just someone he cared deeply for, however, that is not the way it happened. At this point, it did not matter how the baby had gotten here, but that there was going to be a baby….his baby… and he had to take responsibility for it.

Chapter 2 by cailinaingeal

Lance’s mind was racing too fast to even think about trying to sleep. He decided that unpacking his things and taking a shower were better uses of his time. It would give him time to think about what he was going to say to Laura.

He let the water stream over his body while he tried to sort all the thoughts in his head. He had known Laura long enough to know that she wouldn’t even consider abortion as an option. While rinsing the shampoo out of his hair, he came to a conclusion. Lance decided that if she planned on adoption, he would raise the baby with the help of his family. He suddenly paused in mid thought. What would his parents think? Having children out of marriage had become socially acceptable, and of course, they didn’t think of him as an angel, well maybe his mother did. He was worried what their reaction would be.

Lance finished rinsing then dried off and dressed. He picked up the cordless phone off the bedside table and walked to the balcony. Sitting in the overstuffed chair, he slowly dialed Laura’s number.

“Hello,” Laura answered the telephone. Her voice sounded normal and calm.

“Hey, it’s Lance.”

“Hey,” her voice turned soft.

“How are you doing?”

“Better now. The past couple of days have been a little emotional for me, and I wasn’t sure how you were going to take the news.”

“It was a shock.” Lance let out a nervous laugh and propped his feet up on the railing. “But I want to do the right thing and be there to help raise our child.”

“Lance I am not asking anything like that from you. I can support me and the baby by myself” Laura sighed. “You don’t even have to tell anyone you are the father.”

“Have you lost your mind?” Lance did not wait for answer. “Do you really think I am going to let this child grow up without a father?”

“I just didn’t want you to think I wanted something from you, that I did this with some ulterior motive in mind.”

“We have been friends half our lives, we both know if you needed something all you have to do is ask me.”

“I know, but with your celebrity status I didn’t want to ruin anything for you.”

Lance sat quiet for a moment and Laura began to wonder if he was still there. “Marry me,” he said as if he had just solved all of the world’s problems.

“What?” She screamed in to the phone. “Have YOU lost YOUR mind?”

“I want to make things right,” he said boldly.

“I know this is the Deep South, but it’s not 1950. I’m not going to get sent to some distant relative because I got knocked up.”

“You’re right, and no one will think less of you as single mother.” Lance took a deep breath. “But I want my child to grow up in family like I did, a mom and dad together in the same house.”

“There is a difference, Lance.” Laura sighed. “Your parents and mine met, fell in love, and decided to get married because they wanted to spend the rest of their lives together.”

“I know it won’t be a real marriage, we’ll make some kind of arrangement.” Lance stood and began pacing the balcony. “And if you are so worried about my image, how would it look if all of the sudden someone is having my baby?” Lance asked.

“Joey did it and from what I have heard the fans still love him.”

“Joey has Kelly, who the fans have known about for years. I love Joey but it was rather expected from him. We are all surprised there aren’t more little Fatones running around.”

“Lance….”

“Listen, everything has been crazy and it’s not all going to just go away. I think it may help if we can talk face to face. I can’t come up, but can you come down?”

“I’m sure work won’t miss me for a couple of days. I’ll tell them I have a family emergency.” Lance could hear her shuffling papers. “I’ll take the first flight to Orlando tomorrow, it will probably be in the afternoon before I get there.”

“Great, call me when you know what time you’ll be coming in and I’ll send someone to pick you up. Now, get some rest and I love you.”

“Lance.”

“What?”

“You don’t have to pretend that you love me.”

“I know, have a good night.”

“Good night.” Laura said. Lance heard the phone click and hung up.

 

The next afternoon Lance was flipping aimlessly through the television channels when heard a knock at the door. He walked to the entryway and opened the door.

“Hi,” Laura smiled.

“Howdy, you were supposed to call me.” Lance moved out of the doorway for her to come in. He grabbed her bag as soon as she walked through the door. “I’ll take that for you.”

“Lance, I am pregnant not an invalid.” She let him take her bag without any more fuss. “I didn’t want to interrupt anyone’s day to come get me from the airport.”

“Have a seat.” Lance motioned toward the couch. “Would you like something to drink?”

“Sure, iced tea sounds good. Thanks.”

“Can the baby have tea?” Lance asked.

“Yes, the baby can have some. If you are going to be like this the entire time I am pregnant, you’re not going to see the baby until he graduates high school.”

“You already know it’s going to be a boy?” Lance looked surprised.

“No, I don’t want to know ahead of time.” Laura placed her hand just below her bellybutton. “I just have a feeling it gonna be a boy.”

Lance handed Laura her drink and sat next to her. “This morning I was thinking about the whole situation. Actually, it’s the only thing I have thought about since you told me. I know marriage is a very big step, I thought maybe we could just tell people were dating for awhile. We don’t have to make up anything elaborate, just an rose colored version of the truth.”

“What do you mean by rose colored?” Laura asked.

“We tell everyone that we have been seeing each other off and on for the past year and we decided to take the relationship to a new level. All of which is the truth.”

“So what do we do, hold a press conference?”

“No, nothing that big. We’ll let the PR people take care of the details.”

“Why do I have the feeling I am about to see more of the Nsync spin doctors than I ever wanted.”

Lance called the WEG office to set up a meeting with Johnny and the PR department for the following morning. Lance and Laura decided that they would tell their parents and the rest of Nsync that night.

They used the speakerphone in Lance’s office to call Laura’s parents first. Lance was surprised at how well they took the news. He was sure there was going to be much more yelling, especially from Laura’s dad. After the phone, call Laura reassured Lance that it went over well, and he probably earned a few brownie points with her parents when he mentioned marriage.

Calling his parents wasn’t as easy for Lance; he knew what the tones in their voices meant. They were happy to finally have a grandchild, but disappointed that he had not kept to the traditional values he had been taught as a child. He could hear a few sobs in the background from his mother while his dad tried to assure him they were happy about the baby.

Lance and Laura decided to tell the guys in person instead of over the telephone. He called each one, told them he needed a group meeting and he would cook dinner. JC was the first one to show up later that night, which surprised Lance since he was usually the last person to show up. Within a few minutes of one another Justin, Joey, and Chris arrived.

“What’s so important that you cooked dinner for us?” Chris asked as he lifted the lid of one of the pots on the stove.

“Not that I mind, but why are you cooking us dinner?” Justin asked as he was eating croutons out of the salad.

“I’ll tell you during dinner. Now get out of my kitchen.” Lance said as he made shooing motions with his hands.

“Hey Laura,” Chris yelled.

“Don’t bug Laura either, Christopher.” Lance called after him.

Ten minutes later Lance had the dining room table set. He took a deep breath. These were his band mates and brothers; they would still love and stand by him in any decision he made concerning Laura and the baby he reminded himself.

“Dinner’s ready” Lance yelled towards the living room. Everyone began filing into the dinning room.

“Wow, you made country fried steak and mashed potatoes. You never cook like this for us it’s usually microwave dinners, this must be really big news.” JC said as he sat down.

“Yeah, it’s pretty big news” Lance said as he started to pass food around.

After everyone had filled their plates and begun eating Chris asked, “Are you going to make us wait until dinner is over or are you going to tell us now?”

Lance looked at Laura, who was sitting next to him, for an okay, she smiled. “Laura is pregnant and I am the father,” Lance said quickly in one breath.

Justin’s fork dropped to his plate and JC almost choked on the bite he just put in his mouth.

“See it really can happen to anyone,” Joey said with smile. “Now Brianna will have a cousin to play with.”

“This is good news, right?” Justin asked unsure.

“It’s not exactly the best situation but yes it’s good news.” Lance said. Laura let out the breath she was holding in relief.

“Well, then congratulations guys,” JC stood and walked to Lance and Laura to give each of them a hug. “When is the baby due?”

“Mid May,” Laura answered.

“Wow, we are going to have two May birthdays in the family.” Lance beamed.

“In the family?” Joey asked.

“Yeah, I asked Laura to marry me. She hasn’t given me answer yet, but I want to our child in a home like a real family.”

“What do you think management is going to say?” Chris asked.

“Not much they can say, right?” Lance answered. “I’ve set up a meeting with PR tomorrow morning.”

“We wanted to tell our parents and you guys first.” Laura added.

“What are you going to tell everyone?” JC asked. “You know we are behind you what ever you decide.”

“I know man, thanks.” Lance smiled. “We are going to tell them that Laura and I have been dating off and on and we have decided we wanted to become more serious.” Lance looked at the four sets of eyes staring back at him. “It’s not that far off from the truth.”

“What about the baby?” Justin asked.

“I guess we won’t mention that until we have to, we haven’t really discuss that yet. Hopefully we will be married by then.”

“Lance,” Laura said through her teeth.

“Then again maybe not.” Chris said under his breath.

The rest of the night seemed to go like any other night the guys were together. After dinner everyone when into the living to stretch out and watch movies. This made Lance feel a little more at ease about going to see the public relations staff in the morning.

The next morning Lance and Laura walked into the WEG conference room. Julie and Dan, from PR, and Johnny, their manager, were already sitting at the table. “Good morning,” Lance said.

“Good morning” everyone answered.

Lance pulled out Laura’s chair before he sat down. “The reason I asked for this meeting is because Laura and I have a situation that we are going to need some help dealing with the press.”

Johnny sat forward in his chair. “What kind of situation?”

“Laura is pregnant and I am the father,” Lance said matter of factly.

You could have heard the proverbial pin drop. Johnny shifted in his chair. “I really don’t know what to say. I never would have thought this was the reason you asked for this meeting.”

“It was quite a shock for us too,” Lance admitted.

“Kelly’s pregnancy, as far as we could tell, was taken in positive light by the fans.” Laura said. “We have discussed this and would like to do some damage control before it become very obvious that I am pregnant.”

“Okay, we can work through this. What did you have in mind?” Julie asked.

“We want to keep this as close to the truth as possible.” Lance looked across the table to each one for agreement. “That we have been dating off and on and recently decided to become more serious.”

Julie looked at Laura, “You know your life is pretty much going to be turned upside down.”

“It already has,” Laura answered.

“Well, you have the ‘On the Line’ premiere is in couple of weeks.” Dan finally spoke up. “We could start there. You know there are going to be several reporters there.”

“In November there is that week in the Bahamas.” Julie added. “I am sure we could set a couple appearances between the premiere and the trip.”

“What about the baby?” Johnny asked.

“We want to keep that quiet until she is showing and we have to say something.”

“Okay we have enough to get started.” Dan smiled. “I will see if I can set up something with Entertainment Tonight for the premiere.”

“Thanks.” Lance stood and held out his hand for Laura.

Dan was able to set up a short segment with ET for on the way to the premiere. With a smile on his face, Lance announced to the world that Laura was his girlfriend. He explained they had been friends for many year and one day things just clicked between them. The segment was to air the day after the premiere. As the two of them walked down the red carpet towards the theater Lance introduced Laura as his girlfriend to each report who stopped him. Laura wasn’t able to go to the after party with him because her morning sickness was quickly turning into night sickness also.

Dan and Julie were true to their word; they set up a photo opportunity during a time when Lance had returned home to Mississippi to attend a friend's wedding. He wasn’t exactly happy about spending the day at a bridal shop, but it was in his best interest to show he and Laura spending as much time together as possible.

During their week in Atlantis Lance and Laura weren’t able to spend much time together. Between Lance’s schedule for the concert taping and Laura feeling under the weather most of the time they barely saw on another. However, the made sure they were seen together after the show while all of the fans were still around the hotel.

After the Bahamas performance and a short trip to New York they returned to Orlando. Nsync was given a well-deserved break, and Lance spent as much time as he could in Mississippi with Laura. He made sure he was there the first time the doctor performed a sonogram.

“Just lay back, Ms Carruba,” the nurse said as she lifted Laura’s shirt. Laura jumped a little when the nurse started to rub the cold gel on her stomach. “Sorry, I know it’s cold.”

“Are you ready to hear your baby’s heartbeat?” Dr. Roberts asked.

“Yes,” Laura answered nervously.

The doctor began rolling the instrument over Laura’s belly. Lance looked at Laura, he was speechless, that was his baby heartbeat. Laura smiled as a tear started to run down the side of her face.

“Now let’s take some pictures of your little one.” Dr Roberts said as she changed instruments and put it on Laura’s stomach. “There’s your baby.”

“Where?” Lance asked.

“Right here,” the doctor pointed to the screen. “He kind of looks like a peanut right now.”

“Oh, I see it now.” Now it was Lance’s turn to have tears in his eyes. “Do you see it Laura?”

“Yes, I can see him and I already think he is beautiful.”

Dr. Roberts took pictures of the baby from three different angles. She gave the pictures to Lance as the nurse cleaned the gel off Laura’s belly.

Later that evening Lance and Laura were sitting on a swing in the Bass’ backyard looking at the sonogram pictures. “There really is a baby in there,” Lance smiled.

“Yes Lance, there really is a baby in there.” Laura sounded a little angry.

“No, I didn’t mean it like that. I believed you when you told me, but now I am actually looking at pictures of our child.”

“Yeah, I know what you mean, it almost didn’t seem real until today.”

“I know this isn’t exactly how you dreamed your life would turn out, but I do want you to know that I love you. I’m not just saying it because I think that is what you want to hear, I really do love you.” Lance stood up and reached into his pocket. He knelt down in front of Laura. “I am always going to be there for you and the baby, but I want us to be a real family.” Lance opened a small box he had pulled out of his pocket. “Will you marry me?”

“Yes.”

Chapter 3 by cailinaingeal

Lance never realized how much work went into planning a wedding, even a small wedding. He and Laura decided to set the wedding date for December 22nd, a month after their engagement. They wanted to be married before Laura began to show more than just a little. The ceremony was to take place in the garden of Lance’s Mississippi home. He let Laura make most of the decisions; it was just easier with him having to travel so much. She would call him every couple of days to give him updates and ask his opinion. She wanted to make sure Lance felt like he was apart of the planning too.

"I finally found a caterer," Laura said with a sigh of relief. "It wasn’t easy on such short notice and with all of the holiday parities coming up."

"That’s great," Lance cradled the phone between his ear and shoulder. "We should be wrapping everything up in a day or so."

"When are you coming back to Mississippi?" Laura asked.

"We have a charity event in Orlando in a couple of days as soon as that is over I’m driving home."

"We should have everything done by the time you get here on Wednesday then. Your mom has been such a big help. It has stopped her from buying something new for the baby everyday. At this rate the baby is going to need an extra bedroom just from all the stuff from our parents."

"That sounds like my mother," Lance laughed. "The uncles aren’t any better. Justin has already bought three pair of baby sneakers and JC wants to know how long he has to wait to buy a leap pad."

"We aren’t going to have to worry about our child be spoiled, are we." Laura said sarcastically.

"What makes you think that." Lance joked. "I gotta go they are calling me back to the set."

"Okay, take care."

"You too, bye" With that Lance hung up his cell phone.

Lance was amazed when he returned home to find that Laura and both of their mothers had finalized all of the wedding plans. The only things left to do was for Lance to get fitted for his tux and Laura’s final fitting on her dress, which Lance wasn’t allowed to go any near. He was told about the old wives tails, which said it would bring bad luck to the marriage, if he saw the dress before the ceremony.

While Laura was off doing things he couldn’t know about until the wedding Lance finished his Christmas shopping and worked on Freelance and A Happy Place business. As he looked over paperwork, his mind started to wonder about how is life was going to change once he was married. There would probably a few less Hollywood parties, especially after the baby was born. Lance had never been a selfish person, but he knew what he wanted from life and went after those things. Soon there was going to be two more people to consider in the equation and that frightened him.

The wedding was in just over a week and Lance was questioning his feelings for Laura. He knew he was only having these second thoughts because he was nervous. It’s just cold feet, he thought, everyone goes through this before they get married. It didn’t mean that he was not doing the right thing.

That night Joey was having his annual Christmas bash at his house. Lance and Laura smiled at all of the well- wishes. Lance thought his face was going to fall off from smiling so much.

Laura walked towards the kitchen to refill her glass when she overheard Joey and Chris talking. Their words stopped her in her tracks. "I can't believe she got him to agree to marry her," Chris said with disgust in his voice.

Joey shook his head "I know, she's doesn't even love him. She's just looking for a free ride."

"I'm sure she planned this out. She knew Lance would marry her if she got pregnant."

"I never thought Lance would be so stupid. Always has to 'do the right thing,' even if it is headed for disaster, big time. At least Kelly and I love each other."

"You know Lance and his Southern values, he wouldn't do anything but marry her."

"Do you know how many times I tried to warn him about her? I knew she was up to something."

"I know, how many girls really want to be only fuck buddies? None that I know."

"Exactly. It's never just about sex for women. It's either love, or an anterior motive."

Hearing those words Laura turned to leave the room. The tears were welling up in her eye, but she wasn't going to let them see her cry. She wouldn't give them the satisfaction. Laura just wanted out of that house; she pushed her way through the crowd heading for the front door.

Lance was just turning away from Justin and Britney when someone ran right into him. He turned to see Laura. "Laura? What's wrong? Are you okay?"

"I've just got to get out of here, Lance. I can't stay any longer." her tears becoming more difficult to control.

"Why? Laura . . . What happened? Why are you crying?"

She was having trouble controlling her voice. "I just can't stay where I'm not welcomed."

"What?" Lance took Laura by the hand and walked her to one of the empty bedrooms shutting the door behind him. "Talk to me, please."

She sobbed against his shoulder. "I'm sorry Lance. I wasn't trying to trap you," she said as she started to hiccup. "I would have raised this baby by myself."

Lance was confused. He thought they had already covered this. "Laura, I never said you were trying to trap me. Where is this coming from?"

"I....I....overheard Joey and Chris talking in the kitchen. They think I got pregnant just to get you to marry me." She looked him straight in the eyes. "I promise I didn't, Lance. I promise."

He put his hand behind her head, gently pushing it against his chest. "Shhhhh, I know." He said as he rubbed her back, trying to calm her. He felt the blood boiling through his veins. Chris and Joey were supposed to be two of his best friends. He even asked Joey to be the best man at his wedding. "Will you wait here, for just a minute? Then I promise, I will take you home."

"Okay," she sniffled as she lay down on the bed.

Lance left the room and went looking for Joey and Chris. He was becoming angrier with each step he took. He headed in the direction of the kitchen. Both Joey and Chris were still standing with drinks in hand.

Lance walked up to them "What the hell is the matter with the two of you?"

"What?" they both questioned with bewildered looks on their faces.

"Don't even try to act innocent. I know what you said about Laura, she overheard you two talking in here a few minutes ago."

"Lance, you know we're only looking out for your best interest, " Joey replied.

"Yeah, she's a gold digger. Laura's worst than Bobbie, at least she didn't try getting pregnant."

"Neither of you have the first clue who Laura is." He glared at Chris "And comparing her to Bobbie, that's lower than low."

 

"You've been in this business long enough to know that some girls will do anything to catch a star," Chris said before taking a drink of his beer. "Just because she's from your hometown doesn't mean she can't be a gold digger.

"You don't know shit, Chris. She didn't get herself pregnant, did she? If I hadn't been too lazy to go get a condom she wouldn't be pregnant. Besides, this is really none of your business. You can either accept my decision, and treat Laura with respect, or you can stay the hell away from both of us. And Joey, you have absolutely no right to be lecturing me about being trapped by a girl."

Lance turned abruptly and stormed out of the kitchen. He entered the room where he had left Laura, and slowly opened the door stepping inside. Laura looked up as she heard the door open. Lance took a couple of deep breaths before he walked over to the side of the bed. He gently moved his thumb over Laura's cheek, wiping away her tears. "Are you ready to go now?"

"Yeah, I'm ready to go." She gave him a small smile.

"Then let's get outta here." He said, helping her up from the bed.

Lance and Laura spent the next few days finishing the last minute details for the wedding ceremony. It all became a blur and before they knew it the day was upon them.

* * * *

Joey knocked on the door when Laura was getting ready. "Come in." He heard from the other side. Laura was already dressed in her gown and the only one in the room. "Can I talk to you for a moment?" Joey asked.

Laura was already nervous, she wasn't sure she needed to hear any more of Joey's accusations. But he was the best man, so she nodded "For a moment."

"I just want to apologize for what Chris and I said they other night. We had no right to make accusation like that."

Laura stopped for a moment then turned to look at Joey. With tears in her eyes she said "Thank you, that means a lot to me, Joey."

"I just wanted you to know we really didn't think of you like that. I know how unplanned a baby can be."

She laughed a little at Joey's admission. "You guys mean the world to Lance. I just didn't want to be the Yoko Ono that came between you."

"And you obviously mean the world to Lance. Don't worry about the Yoko thing, that's Britney's job." Joey smiled and looked at his shoes before looking back up at her. "By the way you look beautiful."

Laura was absolutely beaming now, the dark cloud having been lifted from over her. "Thanks, Joey. Now get outta here before you make me cry off all this make up."

"No problem, I have to go make sure Lance is ready anyway." He gave her one of his trademark Fatone smiles as he walked out the door. He walked to the other side of the house where Lance as getting ready. Joey opened the door "I got to see Laura, just a moment ago. She is beautiful."

Lance smiled "She is. You know Joey, this is the right thing for me."

"Yeah, I know." he looked down at the floor. "I wanna...I wanna apologize for the other night." Joey looked back at Lance. "We were out of line, and I'm really sorry that Laura had to hear it."

"Thanks," Lance said as he fumbled with the buttons on his shirt, "But you really should be apologizing to Laura. Don't you think?"

"I just did, that's how I got to see her, " Joey smiled.

Lance looked at Joey "Thank you, Joey. She really needed to hear that." He tucked his shirttails into his pants and buttoned them up. His hands were shaking as he reached for his bow tie.

"Here, let me help you with that." Joey took the bow tie from Lance, placing it around his neck and tying it perfectly.

Lance was having second thoughts, but he would never let on. He stomach was tied so tight in knots, he felt like he could lose his breakfast at any moment. Lance said "Thanks Joey, for being here," as he looked in the mirror pulling on his jacket.

"There is no other place I would be." Joey could read the nervousness in Lance's eyes. "It's all going to work out," he said trying to reassure his friend.

Joey's words sent Lance's head spinning in all different directions. He sat down on a chair and put his head in his hands. This is not the way he imagined his wedding day. He wanted to be in love with, not just love the person he would spend the rest of his life with. All of his doubts and fears came crashing to the surface. "I think I'm gonna be sick."

"It's just your nerves, man. Take deep breaths, that always worked for you before we performed."

Following Joey's advice, Lance took several deep breaths. "Yeah, it's just nerves." He said out loud, more to convince himself than any one else. "It's just cold feet, right? Like any other guy who's getting married."

"Right, you are going to see her starting to walk towards you and you'll forget why you were ever nervous in the first place."

Lance smiled at that thought. It's not like he didn't love Laura, because he did. After all, they wouldn't have had sex if they didn't have any feelings for each other. He could make this work. They could be happy, he told himself. "I knew there was a reason I asked you to be my best man. What time is it?" Just then the preacher opened the door to let them know it was time for them to start.

"Deep breaths, just keep taking deep breaths." Joey put his hand on Lance's shoulder as he led them to the backyard. Lance took his place at the makeshift altar in his backyard, and waited.

Lance surveyed the yard, it had been transformed with strings of white lights, flowers, and large candles. He saw his parents sitting in the front row before him. His mother was wiping tears away from her eyes. Lance was lost in his own thoughts as the music started to play. He saw his sister walking down the aisle, she wore a simple red dress and carried three red roses tied with a green ribbon. Once Stacey reached the altar the music changed to the wedding march. Slowly Laura and her father started up the aisle, her dress was an off white in color with an empire waist to hide what little of the baby that was starting to show. It was decorated with a few small beads, but yet still simple in design. Laura’s hair was pulled up into ringlets that were surrounded by her tiara and veil. Lance’s breath caught in his throat as she walked closer to him. Joey was right, she was beautiful.

Once Laura and her father reached the altar the preacher started to speak. "We are gathered here today to celebrate the joining in marriage of Lance and Laura."

Lance couldn't take his eyes off Laura, all the doubt and fear had disappeared. He was looking directly into the eyes of his future, and he liked what he saw. Lance heard the preacher say "If there is anyone who can show just cause why these two individuals should not be joined in marriage, speak now, or forever after hold your peace." He paused a moment before continuing. "Who gives this woman to this man?" "Her mother and I," Laura's father answered. He paused a moment before continuing. "Who gives this woman to this man?"

"Her mother and I," Laura's father answered, then lifted her veil kissing her cheek before sitting next to Laura's mother. Laura moved next to Lance taking his hand.

"James Lance, will you have this woman as your lawful wedded wife, to live together in the estate of matrimony? Will you love her, honor her, comfort her, and keep her in sickness and in health; forsaking all others, be true to her as long as you both shall live?"

Lance listened to the vow he was about to take, realizing he wouldn't be able to fake marriage. This had to be the real thing or nothing at all. He looked over to Laura and settled it in his heart that he would be with her, for the rest of his life. "I will."

Laura Marie, will you have this man as your lawful wedded husband, to live together in the estate of matrimony? Will you love him, honor him, comfort him, and keep him in sickness and in health; forsaking all others, be true to him as long as you both shall live?

Laura's knees started to shake. This is going to be for real, she thought. She was about to be married and start a family. Laura took a deep breath. "I will"

"Behold the symbol of wedlock." The preacher began. "The perfect circle of love, the unbroken union of this man and this woman united here today. May you both remain faithful to this symbol of true love. Please join hands and repeat after me." Laura handed her flowers to Stacy and turned to face Lance. Lance took Laura's ring from Joey, then repeated everything told to him as he placed the ring on her finger.

I, James Lance, take you, Laura Marie, as my wedded wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part.

Stacy handed Laura Lance's ring, she repeated everything she was told as she placed the ring on his finger. "I, Laura Marie, take you, James Lance, as my wedded husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part."

They both turned back to the preacher as he spoke. "For as much as Lance and Laura have consented together in wedlock, and have witnessed the same before this company of friends and family, and have given and pledged their promises to each other, and have declared the same by giving and receiving a ring, and by joining hands. By the authority vested in me by the State of Mississippi, I pronounce this couple to be husband and wife. Lance you may now kiss your bride."

Lance turned to Laura and looked into her eyes briefly. He lifted his hand and gently placed it on Laura's face before closing his eyes and leaning in to give her a sweet, tender kiss on her lips. Their first kiss shared as husband and wife. He pulled away with tears in his eyes, he whispered "I love you, Laura."

"I love you, Lance," she smiled looking into his eyes.

"It is my pleasure to introduce to you for the first time, Mr. and Mrs. James Lance Bass." The preacher announced before Lance and Laura began to walk back up the aisle.

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=618