The Good Neighbor by BrandyRae
Summary: When Ellie moved in across the street from JC she brought along a lot of baggage, and not just in the literal sense; but, even still, that aura of "realness" he got from her made it impossible to stay away.  
Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: JC Chasez
Awards: None
Genres: Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 27 Completed: No Word count: 98981 Read: 70196 Published: Mar 09, 2008 Updated: Jan 03, 2015

1. Prologue by BrandyRae

2. Chapter 1 by BrandyRae

3. Chapter 2 by BrandyRae

4. Chapter 3 by BrandyRae

5. Chapter 4 by BrandyRae

6. Chapter 5 by BrandyRae

7. Chapter 6 by BrandyRae

8. Chapter 7 by BrandyRae

9. Chapter 8 by BrandyRae

10. Chapter 9 by BrandyRae

11. Chapter 10 by BrandyRae

12. Chapter 11 by BrandyRae

13. Chapter 12 by BrandyRae

14. Chapter 13 by BrandyRae

15. Chapter 14 by BrandyRae

16. Chapter 15 by BrandyRae

17. Chapter 16 by BrandyRae

18. Chapter 17 by BrandyRae

19. Chapter 18 by BrandyRae

20. Chapter 19 by BrandyRae

21. Chapter 20 by BrandyRae

22. Chapter 21 by BrandyRae

23. Chapter 22 by BrandyRae

24. Chapter 23 by BrandyRae

25. Chapter 24 by BrandyRae

26. Chapter 25 by BrandyRae

27. Chapter 26 by BrandyRae

Prologue by BrandyRae
The Good Neighbor Prologue by BrandyRae The Good Neighbor by BrandyRae
Prologue

Beep… Beep… Beep… Beep… Beep… Beep… Beep…

The annoyance didn’t seem to stop. He laid there, waiting for peace and quiet to return, but instead the noise continued.

Beep… Beep… Beep…

It was coming from outside. Were they picking up the trash today? His days sometimes got mixed up thanks to the long and late hours he spent in the studio, but he was 98 percent positive that it was Thursday. Garbage day was Tuesday.

With relief he sighed. Finally, the “beeping” had stopped.

Or so he thought. Just as he closed his eyes it started again.

“Dammit.” With a huff, he threw the blankets off his nearly-nude frame and drug himself to the bathroom. One glance in the mirror told him all he needed to know. He definitely hadn’t been asleep long enough. Still, he was awake now and his curiosity was urging him to find out what the ruckus was going on outside.

Slipping into a pair of pants, he maneuvered through his empty house, making way to the front door. He glanced out a front window first, finding that a huge moving van was blocking the street in front of his house and the two on either side of him.

It had to be for the house across the street. The single-level home had been vacant ever since he’d lived on the street, although the FOR SALE sign had only been up for two short weeks. From what he’d learned, the owner finally got tired of it being empty and had decided to sell. At least that’s what Gabby, his gossipy and overly-flirtatious next door neighbor, had relayed to him when she’d caught him coming home a couple days before. The divorcee had been trying to get in his pants ever since he’d moved in and for about two minutes he actually considered it before thankfully realizing she’d be much more trouble than she was worth. He probably would have had to move if he’d have followed the wrong instinct.

A black pair of flip flops just inside the front door, he slipped them on and stepped outside to get a better look. As usual, it was sunny and 70. He took a deep breath before taking a step. He didn’t have much of a front yard—low maintenance—just how he liked it, which made the truck just a few feet ahead. He moved towards the back end to get a look around it.

The tall  back slider door was open. Someone was definitely moving in, not out. The truck was full to the gills, a monstrous sized armoire catching his eye. He wondered what kind of neighbors they’d be. Was it a family? A single guy? Another single woman? For some reason the opposite sex seemed to run the street. The women that were married didn’t seem to act that way. Not around him anyway.

Two burly men walked towards him empty handed. “Who’s moving in?” He asked.

They both shrugged. “Something Sanders?” the one man looked at the other as if he was asking if that was right.

“A woman with a lot of heavy furniture,” the other guy remarked.

So that confirmed it. Another female who’d probably be hitting on him just like the rest of the women that lived close by. Nothing he wasn’t used to.

© BrandyRae 2008

Chapter 1 by BrandyRae
The Good Neighbor Chapter 1 by BrandyRae The Good Neighbor by BrandyRae
Chapter 1

Ellie Sanderson pulled up the driveway to her new home and hit the button on her remote for the garage.  It had been another stressful morning.  She was glad to finally be in her new place, but the circumstances around it were nothing short of horrendous.  Her life was a complete disaster at the moment.

With a sigh she turned off her Mercedes and climbed out of the driver’s seat, making way to the trunk to unload the priceless belongings she’d brought with her; mainly photos and photo albums, items that couldn’t be replaced if they were lost by a moving company or mishandled by one of the men who worked for one.  All material belongings could be replaced.  That was something she’d learned long ago. 

Her hands filled with boxes, she made way through the door, dropping everything as the house alarm sounded with a horrible shrill.  Dammit!  How could she forget about that?

“Shit.  Shit.  Shit,” she mumbled to herself, leaving the photo albums and miscellaneous boxes where they’d landed, scattered in and out of the doorway, as she trotted back to the car to retrieve the alarm code from her purse.  “Shit,” she cursed again.  The faster she tried to move, the more her fingers seemed to fumble.

Meanwhile the blaring device was alternating between what sounded like a police siren and a fire drill.  Finally managing to pull the card out of her wallet, she trotted back to the keypad, stepping around the mess on the floor, finally able to punch in the code.  Immediately the obtrusive noise stopped and she sighed with relief.

Kneeling down, she began gathering her things up in her arms in a hurry.

“Everything okay?”

The inherently male voice startled her, as everything she’d picked up immediately fell again, her entire body flinching in reaction.  Looking up, she swallowed and tried to gain her composure.  “Yeah…  Sorry about that.”

He took two steps closer and a flicker of concern washed over her.  Yes, he was a very attractive man and he did look strangely familiar for some reason, but in this day and age that didn’t mean a thing.  One can never be too cautious.

Automatically she stood, hoping to not look quite so vulnerable.

“I’m JC.  I live across the street.”  He pointed backward and as her eyes followed she realized it probably hadn’t been the best idea to have left the garage door open after she’d pulled in.  Living alone was going to be a major adjustment for her.

Cautiously she grinned.  “Ellie,” she told him.  “Again, sorry about the noise.”

“No problem.  Well, since you’re obviously not being attacked or robbed or anything, I’m just gonna head back.”  He pointed back to his house again.  “Welcome to the neighborhood,” he said, flashing a quick and somewhat forced grin.  She noticed then the dishelved look about him, like he’d just rolled out of bed maybe?  It was two thirty in the afternoon, though.  Who slept that late past the age of 17?

“Thanks.”

He grinned cordially once more and was on his way.  As soon as he was past, she reached for the button on the wall to close the garage door.  Maybe she was a little paranoid, but being newly alone she had to be cautious.  Her address might have been in the 90210 zip code, but she read the news.  Crazy things happened in L.A., even in the pricier part of it.


It was 8:30 p.m. by the time JC had showered and was ready to leave the house.  He'd felt somewhat like a vampire the past couple of months with all the late nights he’d been working.  Well, it wasn’t all work, there was a lot of partying too.  Regardless, he just didn’t see much daylight.  The disturbances he’d encountered thanks to his new neighbor over the past two days were about all the time he’d spent in the sun.  This just wasn’t normal.  After this week he’d make it a point to slowly return to the world of the living.

Backing out of the driveway, he was forced to slam on the brakes as he caught a flash of Gabby in his rearview mirror.  Her overconfidence was completely unattractive to him.  He shook his head discreetly at the realization that she just assumed he’d see her in time to stop and not run her over.

Opening his window, he watched out the side mirror of his Porsche as she sauntered towards him.  Granted L.A. didn’t exactly freeze, but it was December and she was wearing the skimpiest shorts and t-shirt he’d ever seen, her surgically sculptured stomach exposed much more than necessary.  More and more she just gave him the willies.  How he had ever considered sleeping with her was beyond him now, even if the thought did only last for a couple of minutes.  It grossed him out every time that he relived it, mainly because over the years he’d learned that her insides were just as plastic as her outsides. 

“Did you meet the new neighbor yet?” she asked him, a rather deceptive look across her big features.  Her long, platinum blond hair hung messily over her shoulders.  It was a look he referred to as “unkempt on purpose.”

He nodded.  “Sort of.”

“She seems a little prudish,” Gabby continued, leaning into his window in a completely forward manner.  She wasn’t wearing a bra, not that he wanted to notice, but it was hard not to.  Of course her tits were probably as hard as soccer balls with all the work she’d had done.  “Off to work?”

“Yeah.  Prudish?  What makes you say that?”

She stood back up and shrugged.  “She didn’t even invite me in.”

JC had made the mistake of inviting Gabby in.  He hadn’t been able to get rid of her since.  That didn’t sound prudish, it sounded smart!  Besides, why would a woman not inviting another woman into her home make her prudish?  Unless, and JC didn’t doubt this in the slightest, Gabby was making unwarranted advances at Ellie too.  He had a feeling the woman would take it however she could get it.  Bisexual?  More like try-sexual.  As in, she’d try anything.

“Well, I’ll let you get to work, sweetie.  Have a good session.”  She backed away two steps and waved.  JC flashed a quick smile as he popped the button to close the window.  It never ceased to amaze him how she talked to him like they were best friends.  If it weren’t for the fact she practically threw herself at him on a daily basis, they’d never talk at all.


Ellie watched the dark gray sports car back onto the street and speed off.  JC...  She was guessing he enjoyed fast cars and fast women.  Judging by their neighbor that had just seen him off, she was sure of it.  It wasn’t anything that Ellie wasn’t used to.  She’d been living in L.A. for over 5 years now.  Nothing shocked her anymore.  Cosmetically enhanced women especially didn’t shock her.  Not even ones who had breasts the size of watermelons.  She’d seen it all, but somehow still managed to distance herself from that lifestyle.  Her friends might explain it in a negative way, saying that Ellie had turned into a bit of a recluse after getting married.  Ellie thought of it more as being devoted to her husband.

A lot of good that had done, not that she felt like dwelling on it. 

Instead, she shook her head, smirking as she recalled the visit she’d received earlier from the woman who’d introduced herself as Gabby Johnson.  The leggy blond had stood on the front stoop as if she owned the whole block, flaunting her over-abundance of cleavage and her botox-enhanced face.  Ellie wasn’t against a little plastic surgery if it was necessary, but the women she encountered the majority of the time definitely abused it.  Gabby was obviously no exception.

Maybe if Ms. Johnson would have come across as nice Ellie wouldn’t have felt so judgmental, but that simply was not the case.  Right off the bat, she introduced herself as if she was reciting her resume; name of her ex-husband who happened to be some big-wig director, TV appearances, modeling jobs, and something about a lifetime invite to the Playboy mansion.  Give her a break!  Ellie did not care about any of that.  It made for a very short conversation.  It didn’t take much before Gabby was on her way.  If the woman had been looking for someone to fawn over her she’d definitely knocked on the wrong door.

Ellie was beginning to feel a little unsure about her new neighborhood, but unfortunately her options were limited.  It was part of the arrangement.  James had picked the house.  James had bought the house.

How had she ever got herself into such a predicament?  Scanning the living room, and all the boxes that filled it, she collapsed onto the chase lounge just under the living room window she’d been gazing out minutes before.  She had a lot of work in front of her, both physically and mentally.

When her cell phone rang just a few seconds later, she was more than thankful for the interruption from her thoughts. 

Fishing it out of her sweat pocket, she answered with a dull “Hello?”

“El?  How are you?  You hanging in there still?”  Bending her knees, she brought her socked feet up onto the plush piece of furniture before resting her back against the mound of pillows behind her. 

Her best friend always seemed to call at the right time.  “Oh, I’m okay.”  She needed to hear a familiar voice at the moment.  Jill must have sensed it all the way in Atlanta.  “Just trying to figure out my neighbors.”

“Really?  Well that’s better than wallowing over your separation.  Have you talked to the old asshole since you moved out?”

Ellie smirked, mainly because James was quite a bit older than her, 15 years to be exact.  “No.  He did put the house in my name, though.”

“Well, considering he’s worth billions that’s the least he could do.  Did you talk to that attorney yet that I referred you to?”

“Not exactly.”

“Why, El?”  Her voice came out more as a whine than anything.  “You’re not still hanging onto the idea that you can spend some time apart and then get back together and everything will be fine, are you?”

“Well, yeah… sort of.”

Over-exaggeratedly her friend huffed.  “That is not how it works.  Not in this world.”

“When are you coming home?” Ellie asked instead, changing the subject.

“Not till Wednesday.  You better have called before then.  Stephen Blake is one of the best divorce attorney’s in L.A.  Talk to someone before you’re caught off guard, El.  Please.  I know what I’m talking about here.”

“I’ll call on Monday.  I promise.”

“Thank you,” she breathed.  “Now, give me the scoop on your new neighbors.”

“I’ve only met two so far,” Ellie explained, “which, considering this is Los Angeles, is pretty good.”  She chuckled at what she’d just said.  Normally everyone in plastic-ville was so unfriendly.  Although she wouldn’t exactly say that Gabby or JC had exactly been friendly to her either.  “Gabby and JC both live across the street, although not together.  They live next door to each other.  She is very plastic, I guess you could say.  She came to the door wearing this itsy bitsy outfit with huge boobs and a ridiculous fake tan... which would have been fine except for she wasn’t very nice.  He was cute, but a little off.  I don’t know.  I accidentally set off the house alarm and he came over to see what was going on.  Everything was fine so he introduced himself and split, pretty much.”

“Cute, huh?  Like old man cute or young hot stud cute?”

“Very funny.  James was only 40 when I met him.”

“Like I said, old!  And you didn’t answer.  I’m waiting.”

“Well, he was definitely an attractive younger guy.  I don’t know, late 20s early 30s.”

“Your age?  Awesome!”

“Shut up, Jill.  Besides, I think he’s dating the bimbo next door.  Oops, I mean Gabby.”

“Ellie, sweetie, I don’t think I’ve ever heard you talk so down about anyone.  Are you a little jealous of bimbo and young hot guy?”

“No.  It’s just a little neighborhood drama.  The cable guy won’t be out till the end of the week.  I’ve gotta watch something…”


Two hours after JC left the house he was back.  He’d met some friends for dinner and then decided to do some collaborating at his in-home studio.  He had some people meeting him shortly.  The street was quiet as usual, but as he pulled up his drive, he noticed something a little odd across the street.

Ellie, his new neighbor, was standing barefoot in her front yard just staring at the front of her house.  Something was not right.  He felt it in his bones.  So instead of pulling all the way into his garage, he stopped mid-driveway and hopped out.

“Hey?  Everything okay?” he called from across the street, realizing it was the second time he’d asked her that.

She turned sharply, wrapping both arms over her chest.  Her chin-length auburn hair swooshed across her cheeks as she shook her head no.  “I locked myself out,” she explained, tucking her straight locks behind one ear.

His face scrunched into a look of peculiarity as he slammed his car door and started towards her.  She’d moved onto the sidewalk, still hugging onto herself.  The wind had picked up and she looked freezing. 

When he got close enough that he didn’t have to yell, he asked, “How’d you manage that?”

“Apparently you can step out the door with the bottom lock locked and not realize that it’s locked and then be locked out.”

“Don’t you have a code to get back in?”

Her brow furrowed with confusion.  “If I do I don’t know what it is.”

Glancing at her left hand, he noticed the wedding ring on her finger.  “Can you call your husband?”

Quickly she smoothed her palm over her opposite hand, covering the huge rock on her finger.  “We’re separated.”

“Oh.  Well, how ‘bout a locksmith?”

“I guess that’s my only option.”

“Well, you can use my phone.  You look like you’re freezing.  You can wait in my living room.”

Ellie hesitated.  She did not know this guy.  What if he was some mass murderer or serial rapist?  Although, she did still have the feeling that she knew him from somewhere.  And frankly she was freezing.  She’d walked outside to turn off the hose in her bare feet, just a thin tank top and sweats.  Of course that immediately brought to her attention what a mess she was at the moment.  From now on the flowers could suffer until she figured out how to set the timer on the sprinklers.

Well, she had to do something and there was no way she was going to call James.  He’d never let her hear the end of it.  She needed to start doing things on her own.  This was a start.

“Okay, thanks,” she finally told him.

Following him across the street she found herself taking in all of her surroundings.  What about Gabby?  Was she going to pop up any second?  As much as a negative vibe she got from the woman, she didn’t want to start trouble with new neighbors either.  They’d just barely stepped into his spotless garage when she found herself opening her mouth.  “Is Gabby your girlfriend?”

The quickness in which his head turned should have told her enough, but the sour expression on his face told her much more.  “No.”

“I noticed her hanging in your window earlier when you were leaving.”  Of course as soon as she realized she’d confessed that she wished she wouldn’t have.  Now she sounded like a stalker.

He didn’t turn around this time, instead he opened the inside garage door and again repeated the stern, “no.”

She felt like explaining why she’d been watching them out the window earlier, but she realized quickly that she had no explanation so that would just be pointless. 

He guided her into a dark but formal living room and handed her a cordless phone.  Then he switched on a light and told her, “Make yourself comfortable.  I’ve gotta pull my car in.”

She didn’t answer, just nodded.  Then she stared at the phone realizing she had no idea who she was supposed to call.  “Do you have a phonebook?” she called out.

“Just call information,” he yelled from another room.

With a huff she sat down in a very stiff upright black chair.  At first touch she wondered if anyone had ever sat in it before her.  Looking around she realized the room she was in never got any use.  That much was obvious.  She also realized that his house didn’t feel much warmer than outside, minus the wind, of course.

“This has been the strangest day of my life,” she mumbled to herself as she dialed 411.

JC pulled the car in thankful that Gabby hadn’t intercepted him this time.  He swore that woman staked out his house constantly.  He didn’t exactly feel excited when Ellie had mentioned watching him out her window.  For some reason it didn’t creep him out like the other women on the street though.  He got a different vibe from her.  Naiveté maybe?  He wasn’t sure.  One thing he did know for sure, she hadn’t been wearing a wedding ring when he’d found her picking up stuff in her garage earlier in the day.  How weird was that?

Although, he’d never himself been married, let alone separated, so obviously he had absolutely no idea what she was going through.  He had been through some tough break-ups, but honestly it had been years since he’d tried out a “real” relationship.  Heartache was just a faint memory with all he’d been through since.

When he came back inside the house she looked rather frazzled as she held the phone to her ear, not making a peep.  “I’m on hold,” she told him.  “They transferred me 3 times.”

“Take your time,” he told her.  “You can wait here as long as you need to.”

He meant that, but he also had to be careful.  He didn’t want to be overfriendly.  He’d learned that lesson the hard way.

Ellie was cute, though.  Cute in a mid-western, girl-next-door kind of way.  Her hair was kind of short, chin length in the front and even shorter in the back.  She was a small girl, except for one part—her chest.  They didn’t look plastic though.  If she’d had them done, she must have had a damn good surgeon.  Not a hard find in Beverly Hills, of course.  He was guessing they were real because she seemed just a bit self conscious over the fact that he’d obviously caught her without a bra on.  She’d been trying to cover them up with her arms, but he was a man, he knew how to look.  Besides her face and her breasts, the only other part of her he’d been able to get a good look at were her feet, odd as it sounds.  But it was obvious she hadn’t expected to be outside for more than a few seconds since her feet were bare—well manicured with deep burgundy polish on the toes.

Okay, so she was definitely attractive, but so many women in L.A. are.  It doesn’t mean a hell of a lot.

The fact that she seemed to have no clue about his celebrity status was also quite intriguing.  Now that did not happen very often.  Of course, most of the women he encountered had sought him out specifically because of it. 

He gave her one last glance as she began explaining her situation into the phone.  Then he left, heading for the kitchen.  This night seemed to warrant a beer.  He didn’t usually like to drink before going into the studio, but he didn’t plan on using his vocal chords tonight so it was all good.

“Dammit, Chasez.  You should at least be cordial,” he spoke quietly to himself and pulled out a second Corona, popping the tops on both. 

When he made it back into the living room she was groaning loudly, not a clue he was standing there.  “Are you serious?  At least two hours?  Why?”  Her groan turned into a whine and for some reason he found himself grinning.  “Fine.  Thanks.”

She turned off the phone and looked up.  “You look like you could use one of these,” he said, stepping close enough to extend her a drink.

Instead of taking it she looked at him kind of funny.

“Do you not drink?” he asked, pulling his arm back in.

“No, I do.”

“It’s fine if you don’t want it.  I wanted one and I didn’t want to be rude and not offer.”

She held out her arm and he handed her the open bottle.  “Thanks.”

He flashed a thin smile.  This girl was sort of weird.  Or maybe he just wasn’t used to women not hitting on him anymore.  Was that a bad thing?

Bringing the beer to her lips, she took the smallest sip.  “So are you on TV?” she asked him.

He shrugged, his head tilting to the side.  “I have been.”

“I’m trying to figure out why you look so familiar.  You didn’t spout off your resume like your next door neighbor did to me.”

That was funny.  He chuckled before throwing back another sip of his beer.  “Did she really?”

Ellie nodded.  “Strangest thing I’ve ever encountered.”

“Did you just move here?”

“To L.A.?”

“Yeah.”

She shook her head no.  “It’s been five years, but I guess you could say I’ve kind of lived in a bubble.”

He wasn’t quite sure what that meant but he found himself looking at her rather oddly.  Who the hell was her husband?  Some big-wig Hollywood weirdo?  He’d thought he’d seen it all living in this town, but clearly that wasn’t the case.

“Well,” he remarked emphatically, “there are no bubbles on this street.  Welcome to stereotypical Los Angeles.”

Bringing the bottle to her lips again, the drink she took was more of a chug than a sip.  “You never told my why you’re so familiar,” she said once she was done.

“*NSYNC,” he stated simply.  “I was part of the group *NSYNC.”

Automatically her palm slapped to her forward.  “Duh!” she said rather buoyantly.  “I knew that.”

“I’ve released some solo stuff too, but nothing that’s got quite as much attention as my good friend Justin Timberlake.”  He meant that in the truest of sense.  They were good friends.  In fact, they’d just finished working on a couple tracks for JC’s new album.

 

“Right…” She was nodding her head, still feeling silly for not realizing who he was in the first place.  “I met him once at a charity event with my husband.  Him and his girlfriend, Callie Durant.  I love her.  She’s hilarious.”

JC was looking at her kind of funny, maybe because she hadn’t given that much excitement over his celebrity?  Or probably he just wanted to ask who her husband was, or is, whatever, but giving the odd circumstances he was more than likely afraid to.  She didn’t blame him.  Here she was busted with her wedding ring on when she’d had it off for nearly two weeks.  She’d been having a sentimental moment before stepping outside to turn off the water. 

She was convinced the damn ring had brought on the bad luck of her mishap.  She’d never put the thing on again.  Not while separated anyway.  In fact, if she had a safe place to put it other than the loose back pocket in her sweats, she’d take it off right at that very minute.

“Well,” he said “it looks like my friends just pulled up.  I’m gonna be in the studio, but you just help yourself and wait here as long as you want.  There’s a TV in that cabinet over there.”  He pointed to a built-in wall unit across the room.  “There’s more drinks in the fridge.  Help yourself.”

JC headed back towards the garage to let his friends in.  For some reason he didn’t want to have to answer questions about why there was a strange woman in his living room, although he’d no doubt be sharing the information with the guys anyway.  He realized he was being very guarded with Ellie, but she was a little too open for his taste.  Didn’t she know sharing so much about herself in this town to total strangers was not a good idea?

He couldn’t figure it out because one second she seemed completely closed off and the next she was telling him things he had not asked about.  She was definitely a different type of girl.  Different than he was used to running into lately, that’s for sure.  The word real came to mind, and that was rare, almost obsolete.  He couldn’t think about it for too long, because the chance that hunch was true was slim to none.

Derek and Mac strutted up the driveway towards him, probably wondering why they were entering his home via the garage.  “My new neighbor locked herself out of her house and is waiting for the locksmith in my living room,” he found himself explaining immediately.  Go figure.

“She hot?” Mac asked.  Mac was typical GQ.  Tall, dark and handsome— Or so everyone and their sister seemed to tell him.  He always scored the ladies.  Thankfully Ellie was definitely not his type.  To straight for him.  At least, JC was guessing, anyway.

He kind of shook his head no.  “She’s kind of weird.  Besides, she’s married.”

Derek smirked.  “Like that’s ever stopped us.”

JC rolled his eyes.  He wasn’t exactly proud of all his escapades.  He stayed away from married women as much as possible.  Sometimes they just forgot to mention they were married until it was too late.

Ellie heard JC and his friends moving around on the opposite side of the house.  She could distinguish the different male voices, but she couldn’t make out what they were saying.  A few seconds later a door slammed and the house was completely silent. 

Letting out a deep breath, she got up to open the cabinet he’d pointed to for the TV.  Of course it looked way too high-tech for her.  There was no handle.  “Uh, that figures,” she whispered to herself.  Smoothing a hand down the smooth dark finish, she tried pushing it open.  “Dammit.”  She tried looking for a button of some sort.  No luck there either.  “Well, shit,” she cursed softly.  “Now what the hell am I supposed to do for the next two to three hours?”

She was going to have ask.  She could not imagine sitting there in the quiet for God knows how long.

Walking back towards the chair she’d sat in before, she grabbed her beer and finished it off.  A rather obnoxious burp immediately following.  Then she started towards where JC had disappeared, backtracking the trail they’d taken from the garage.

Of course she found the garage all right, but that gave her no hint on where he’d disappeared to.  “JC?” she called out, hoping he’d appear behind one of the closed doors.  “Guess I’ll just have to find him myself,” she spoke to herself, opening the first door she came across.  Too bad it turned out to be a closet.  She realized this was wrong, but she didn’t know what else to do.  That’s when she heard loud music coming from down the hall.  Thank God!  She’d just follow the sound.

When she got there she knocked, but figured they couldn’t hear her.  So she opened the door and peeked in.  The looks on the three men’s faces were nothing short of peculiar.  They were shocked.  Immediately she felt foolish for disturbing them.

JC touched some switches on the big panel of knobs and dials in front of him and the house was quiet again.  “Sorry,” she found herself speaking very softly.  “I can’t, uh, figure out the TV.”

His brow furrowed between his eyes, his nose scrunching upwards.  He didn’t say anything.  He just stood up.

Without saying a word he moved right past her, back towards the living room.  “Sorry,” she was saying again, “I couldn’t figure out how to open the cabinet.” 

“It’s easy.  I’ll show you,” was all he said.

Why did she feel about two feet tall all the sudden?  Had it really been that big of a deal?Picking up the remote control off of the contemporary styled table next to the stiff chair she’d been sitting in, he pressed a button and—ta da!—the front of the cabinet slid open to reveal a medium sized flat panel TV.  God, she was an idiot.

He handed the silver controller to her and grinned tight-lipped.  “That changes the channels too.”  She thought maybe he was being sarcastic?  But she didn’t have a chance to confirm her hunch because he immediately disappeared.

She’d flipped through a total of ten channels when the cordless phone she’d used earlier, rang.  Out of habit Ellie grabbed it and waited for the number to show on the caller ID.  “Shit,” she instantly sighed, recognizing the number.  It was the locksmith.

“Hello?”

“Ms. Sanderson?  I’m sorry, but we’ve had an emergency with our on-call technician.  We won’t be able to send anyone out until first thing tomorrow morning.”

© BrandyRae 2008

Chapter 2 by BrandyRae
The Good Neighbor Chapter 2 by BrandyRae The Good Neighbor by BrandyRae
Chapter 2

“Is he a hermit?”

Ellie turned to her counterpart, who was peeking out the front window for the fifteenth time during the past hour and a half, looking about as sleuth as any six foot, statuesque, redhead could.  “I don’t keep track of him or anyone else on the street,” Ellie remarked as she carefully shook the contents in the stainless steel margarita shaker, perched across the room behind the small bar.  It was their “before going out for drinks” drink. 

“Not since your infamous night at his house.” 

“Oh, you mean the infamous wake-up-to-a-blanket-and-a-note-at-7-a.m.-when-the-locksmith-guy-is-banging-on-the-door night at his house?  Sleeping in the stiffest chair ever and dealing with a sore neck for two days because of it?  It left tons to be desired.  For sure.”  The sarcasm was oozing, but it was the strangest night she’d ever had.  She poured two stiff margaritas, on the rocks, and walked one over to her friend.  “Here.”

After taking a healthy sip of her drink, Jill shifted positions on the lounge so she’d be able to balance her drink, carry on a conversation and still keep watch out the window.  It may have sounded impossible, but not for Jill.  “What did the note say again?”

Ellie plopped down on the couch across the almost put-together room.  “I told you.  All it said was, punch pound-22 to lock the door when you leave.  It was just the weirdest thing ever.”

“I’m sure it was weird for him having some strange woman asleep in his living room.”

“I’m sure that I am done talking about it,” Ellie remarked.  And she was.  He hadn’t left the best impression on her.  He was strange.  Strange, but cute… with his chocolaty brown hair and deep blue eyes.

“In that case, finish your drink ‘cause it’s time to go.  Marco just pulled up.”

Ellie looked down at herself.  How had she let Jill talk her into going out?  She hadn’t actually been out, to a club, since she’d first moved to L.A.  After a deep breath, she downed about half of her glass.  Too much for such a strong drink, but oh well.  They’d had a good dinner.  She should be okay.


Derek, Mac, Sam and Trey pulled in the driveway just after midnight.  It was Thursday night and JC definitely needed a night off.  He planned on getting his drink on and his groove on.  He wanted to think about absolutely nothing, surround himself with beautiful women and let go.  It had been a stressful week and he needed a break.

They all piled in Mac’s SUV and headed off to one of the hottest spots in town.  “Whatever happened with that new neighbor?”  Mac asked immediately, before the car had even left the curb.

“Yeah, did she get in her house okay?”  Derek added from the passenger seat.

“I guess.  She was gone when I woke up,” JC answered.  He felt kind of weird about the whole situation, but the fact that she’d been there when he came out of the studio at 4 a.m. was surprising to say the least.  He assumed the locksmith hadn’t shown up considering she was sound asleep.  He hadn’t known what to do with her other than toss a blanket over her and leave her a note.  He’d gone to bed, locking his bedroom door, which he realized maybe was a little over cautious, but he didn’t know this girl and he knew what women were capable of.  You could never be too safe.

“Dude, you didn’t even check?” Mac asked with a smirk.  “That’s cold.”

“Where else was she gonna go?” JC replied defensively.  Okay, so he had thought about going over there the next day, but he wasn’t sure exactly what he was supposed to say to her.  It was just an odd thing, having a complete stranger camped out in your living room because she was locked out of her house.

“Guess you don’t plan on hittin’ that,” Trey said.  JC was sure his other two friends had been clued in on all the details of the incident already.

JC opened his mouth to respond, but Derek beat him to it.  “Like that matters,” the man responded.  “You know the game my man has.” He gave JC a firm pat on the shoulder.  “He could still get it if he wants it.”

“I don’t.  She’s my neighbor and she’s married.  End of subject.”

“Okay,” Mac replied coolly, “we can drop it, but if she’s married why didn’t she just call her husband when she locked herself out of her house?”

JC just shrugged.  He knew if he brought up the fact that Ellie and her husband were separated he’d never hear the end of it.  The girl had way too much baggage.  He wasn’t even about to get involved.


An hour in the VIP at Hyde and Ellie was feeling good.  It was nice when your best friend had just about every connection in Hollywood.  It pays to know people, they say, and it was the truth.  Especially in this town.  Ellie hadn’t paid for a drink yet and she’d had quite a few. 

They were situated on a long plush velvet black couch that stretched along the back wall.  It gave a great view of the people coming in and out.  Ellie was hunched forward, talking to three very attractive men—Jill right beside her, of course—trying to focus on the conversation when all she could really think about was how light-headed she felt.

Russ was directly in front of her; sandy blond hair, green eyes, and an interesting tattoo sneaking out from under the sleeve of his black shirt.  He was a record executive, or something like that.  Jay was next to him and not near as interesting.  If he’d mentioned what he did for a living, Ellie didn’t remember.  T, as he was simply called, was the definition of tall, dark and handsome, and apparently had just released a music CD.  In between eyeing Ellie’s cleavage, Russ was busy promoting his artist—T, of course.  That’s mainly what their conversation had been about—boring.

She’d just reached down to adjust the strapless—and slipping—500 dollar gold and silver sequenced shirt she was wearing when she looked up and immediately locked eyes with the last person she expected to see—JC.

Okay, so he wasn’t exactly the last person she expected to see.  That person would have been her husband, who was also someone she did not want to think about at the moment, but he did want his space—so much that he hadn’t even called since she’d moved out.

Anyway, it was strange because for a second the room stilled.  During that same second, she felt a twinge of excitement to catch him there.  Then he looked away, not giving her a second glance or even a grin, and the feeling immediately faded.  What was she thinking?

“I have to pee,” Jill was whispering in her ear.

Ellie immediately snapped out of whatever haze she’d been temporarily caught in, drunken or otherwise.  Jill locked hands with her and pulled her from the clear round table, giving the guys some silly excuse about why they were getting up.  “The only bad thing about being in such a small area of the club is that if you run into people that are annoying, you’re stuck with them.”

Without responding, Ellie looked over at her friend, feeling completely sloshed. 

“Jesus, you’re drunk.  Do we need to leave?”

Ellie shook her head no vigorously. 

“Dammit, El.  We better order some food when we get back.”

Ellie only nodded.

“Why are you so quiet?  Are you that drunk?” 

Of course when Ellie did find her words they weren’t exactly what she wanted them to be.  “Did you see my neighbor come in?”

“No I did not, but you obviously did.”

Ellie nodded again as Jill pushed open the bright red bathroom door. 

“Interesting.”

“Yeah,” was all Ellie could manage as Jill shoved her into one of the puffy red lounge chairs in the waiting area. 

“Don’t move.  I’ll be right out.”

Ellie nodded.  She could handle that.

Letting out a huge sigh, she studied her reflection in the floor to ceiling mirror across from her.  She smoothed her dark locks to the side of her forehead and swiped her fingers under both eyes just in case any of her eye make-up had started to smudge.  It didn’t look like it, but she was drunk.  Then she popped open her tiny gold clutch and reapplied her red-tinged gloss.

A few minutes later when they headed back towards the bar, the men they’d been chatting with had increased the number in their group.  Four more had joined along, taking over the table next to Russ, Jay and T.  Guess what?  JC was one of them.  He still didn’t look at her.  Not in the eyes anyway.

Did he even recognize her?

Jill almost walked right past them, but Russ was a little too pushy to let them slip by.  “I ordered both of you ladies another drink,” he spoke up loudly.

“Uh-”  Ellie could see Jill surveying the other men.  She even recognized the change in body language upon Jill’s recognition of Ellie’s neighbor.  “Thanks.”  It was Jill’s fakest smile, but Russ didn’t have a clue.

Next thing Ellie knew they were sitting right where they had been before, only this time JC happened to be just a few inches away from her.  Still not looking.  The conversations had separated.

It stayed that way for Ellie’s entire fourth or fifth margarita.  Or sixth?  Oh, and a plate of appetizers—little egg rolls and shrimp wrap thingies.  Good, but not enough substance to soak up some of the over-abundance of alcohol in her system.

Dammit.

Her brain was telling her to stop drinking—as was her friend without being obvious—but still she kept on sipping after the waitress brought another round.  Her haze was getting hazier, so much so that she barely noticed when Russ, T and Jay left the table.  Chances were they’d be right back.

“He’s an asshole and a player, just so you know.”  It wasn’t the fact that he was finally acknowledging her that surprised her.  He’d only been sitting next to her for god knows how long—she certainly didn’t.  But oddly enough, or maybe not, it was the way his nose had barely brushed against her ear when he’d leaned in to whisper that really caught her off guard.  Well, more so it was the way it made her feel that caught her off guard more than anything.

Damn her drunkenness.  It was making her want her neighbor and that was just not like her!

When she turned her head to answer he was right there, this wildly devilish look in his eye.  Or maybe that was the alcohol?  His or hers?  She didn’t know.  “I’m sort of married.”

“You keep telling me that, but does Russ know?  Because I think he thinks otherwise.”  He was leaning in incredibly close—too incredibly close—and his head was tilted in this completely cute and inviting way.  His skin was nice, even in the crappy lighting, and his nose was a little disproportioned compared to the rest of his face, but still he seemed cuter and cuter by the second.  Or maybe her intoxication just kept getting stronger and stronger.  Who knew?

JC didn’t know what he was doing.  Yes, he was attracted to her.  He’d admitted that to himself as soon as he’d walked in the door and spotted her all sexed up and half-drunk.  At the same time he sensed this huge aura of trouble around her.  Mainly because of the so-called “husband”.  At least that’s where he was guessing the feeling came from.

Past all that, he felt this weird sense of protectiveness over her.  She’d been half drunk when he walked in—it didn’t take a genius to realize that—but now she was completely drunk and the jerk of the century was obviously working towards taking her home.  She may have not been falling for it, yet, but JC knew how the guy operated.  He’d been that guy before.  Things could change in half a minute.

“Well, he thinks wrong,” she finally said. 

“I can get rid of him if you want.”  What the hell was he suggesting?  Shit, he didn’t even know what he was saying. 

“How?” she asked somewhat stubbornly, as if she didn’t believe him, her glossy hazel eyes wide with curiosity.

Russ was just across at the bar, staring right at them, and before JC could second guess himself, he’d grabbed the outside of Ellie’s thigh, pulled her up against him, knee to knee, and planted one on her—wet, soft and right on the lips.  Nice lips, at that.  She tasted kind of nice, too, considering all the alcohol she’d consumed—kind of like candy cane or something.  It only took a millisecond for him to know that he already enjoyed kissing her.

Still, in the back of his mind he’d expected her to freak out and pull away.  She didn’t.  In fact, she seemed to like it too.  Next thing he knew his tongue was practically down her throat and her fingers were tightening against the top of his knee. 

She was a damn good kisser and he didn’t want to stop.

Shit.

The whole thing ended abruptly.  It took a few seconds for it to register that it had been her friend who’d been the commanding factor.  “El, sweetie, you’re tossed.  I think we better go.”  The look the girl gave JC was threatening to say the least.  Well, he thought it was anyway.

Damn, that had not played out the way he’d intended.  Now he looked like the asshole trying to get into her pants and Russ was probably sitting across the bar wanting to kick his ass.  Just fucking great.  How the hell was he going to fix this?

He watched as the tall and somewhat overbearing redhead pulled Ellie up from the seat.  Ellie just looked back at him and shrugged, then she half smiled and was gone.

“What the fuck just happened?”  JC was startled back into reality at the sound of Mac’s deep voice. 

“We were just sitting here, having a conversation, next thing we know you’re practically on top of the poor girl,” Derek added.

“I was not,” JC defended sheepishly.  Had it been that obscene of a kiss?  He hadn’t meant it to be.  What the hell had been thinking?

“A little different style for you Chasez.  You changing things up on us?” Mac continued.

JC just shook his head.  He was confused.  He didn’t know what the fuck to say.


“He’s a really good kisser.”  Ellie was giggling as she said it, slouched in the back of Jill’s chauffeured BMW. 

“You’re so drunk you’ll never remember it,” Jill remarked.  “How the hell did that happen?  I was talking to the people on the other side of us and all the sudden I look over and the two of you are all over each other!  Please explain.”

“You’re not mad are you?  James will never know.”

“Who cares if he does!” the girl practically yelled.  “That is not the point, El.  The point is you’re really drunk and I know tomorrow you are going to be totally embarrassed over this.” 

“He’s a really good kisser.”  For some reason, she couldn’t stress that enough.

“You’re not allowed to drink anymore, ever again.”

“I forgot what it feels like to kiss someone who can actually kiss,” Ellie continued, finally getting a smirk out of her friend.

“Now that’s just sad.”  Jill grabbed a bottle of water from the cup holder in the back.  “Here.  Drink this.”  She forced it on Ellie.  “Then give up the details so I can relay them to you tomorrow when you ask.”

She was damn near giddy as she explained.  The whole ordeal had lasted maybe a minute, but it sure felt nice to recall it.   Why did she feel so smitten?  Like a teenager and her first kiss.  The whole thing had been so completely unexpected.  Not to mention, so totally out of character.  Ellie just didn’t let things like that happen.  Not even when she was drunk.  She was always on her best behavior.  She never let go.  Ever

Maybe her subconscious was finally telling her she’d had enough.  Maybe all the crap James had put her through had finally taken its toll.  Maybe, just maybe, she didn’t want her marriage to work out after all.


It was just after three a.m. when the guys dropped JC off at his house.  He walked all the way up to his front door, unlocked it, watched them drive away, and then stared at Ellie’s house across the street.

The lights were on.  Was she still up?

He’d stopped drinking shortly after his surprising advance.  He really couldn’t believe he’d done that.  He didn’t even know her!  Now he was totally sober and feeling really badly over the whole thing.  He wanted to go apologize.

At least he thought that’s why he was walking over there.  Something cosmic seemed to be guiding his feet and that was the best explanation he could come up with.

He knocked softly, just in case she was asleep he didn’t want to wake her.  He smiled as the door came open.  Unfortunately it wasn’t Ellie that was behind it.

“She’s asleep,” the tall redhead announced.

“Sorry, I didn’t catch your name earlier.”  He stuck out a hand, not sure why he felt the need to formalize an introduction at such a wee hour in the morning.  “I’m JC.”

Quickly she shook his hand.  “Jill,” she revealed, folding both arms over her chest.  She didn’t look exactly pleased with the whole situation as JC could just barely make out Ellie’s figure covered in a blanket and passed out on the couch in the living room.  “Look, El was really drunk tonight.  She’s going through a lot right now and I know tomorrow she is going to be really embarrassed about what happened so just be prepared.”

He didn’t say much to that, just kind of looked at her funny. 

“That type of behavior is very out of character for her.”

He figured so.  He wasn’t sure why, but he did.  “Well, I saw the light on and I was just coming over to apologize.”

Jill’s long bare arms tightened across her chest.  “I’ll let her know.”

“I’m not really a creep.  I didn’t mean for that to happen… just so you know.”

“I’ll let her know that too.”

“Do I know you from somewhere?” He was beginning to realize that Jill looked strangely familiar.

“You’ve probably seen me around,” was all she said.

“Oh, okay.  I didn’t mean that as a line or anything.  Hope you don’t think that.”  God, he was coming across as really cheesy.  He hated it when he did that.

“If that were the case you would be a creep, huh?  After laying one hot and heavy kiss on my best friend earlier.”

He just nodded.  “Well, I need to get home.”

For the first time a crooked grin smoothed across her face.  “It was nice to finally meet you JC.”

“You too,” he finished and turned to walk away.

“By the way, Ellie couldn’t stop talking about what a great kisser you are.”

He was half way down the front walkway.  “Tell her I said thanks.”  He didn’t turn around when he said it, because he was smiling too big and didn’t exactly want it to be known.


Two days passed before JC even saw a hint of Ellie.  He was finally finished in the studio—at least for now, anyway—and he was beginning to live in the daylight hours again.  He was hoping for an opportunity to talk to her, although he had absolutely no idea what he was going to say. 

He’d just finished up a lunch meeting with his manager.  It was shortly after two o’clock and the sun was shining.  It was a beautiful December day, almost 70 degrees, white wispy clouds spread throughout the blue sky.  JC noticed her car in the driveway as he pulled into his own.  He got out of his sports car, looked across the street and for a second just stared.  Her garage door was open, the windows of her silver Mercedes were down, but he couldn’t tell if she was in the car.  Did she forget about it?

Next thing he knew he was walking across the street to check.

When he got close to her car, he realized she was slouched down in the driver seat holding a manila envelope over her face.  His expression had to be one of confusion because it was definitely an odd sight.  “You okay?” 

She visibly flinched, bringing her arms down and exposing the paperwork attached to the front of the envelope as she stared up at him with exhausted eyes.  It didn’t take a judge to figure out what she was holding—divorce papers.

“You must think I’m the biggest freak,” she sighed, exasperated.  “Every time I see you I’ve either set off my alarm or locked myself out or,” she paused and looked away from him, “had way too much to drink.  Now here you are again, as I’m just sitting in my car for absolutely no reason.”

Instead of touching on any of those things, he asked, “Did you want to get out?”

Letting out a forced huff of air, she grimaced and shrugged one shoulder.  “I was on my way to a Pilates class.  It started 20 minutes ago.  No point in going now.”

JC wasn’t looking at her anymore, he was succumbing to his curiosity and skimming over the papers she was holding in clear view.  It took a second, but that’s about it.  One look at her husband’s name, and her full name, and he realized instantly who he was getting involved with.  “Eloise Sanderson?  That’s you?”

Her eyes dropped to the paperwork, but she didn’t cover it up.  Then her sight slid towards him from the corner of her lids.  “Do I need to answer?  You already read my divorce papers.”  Her eyes were full on him now.  He couldn’t tell if she was mad or just stating the obvious.  She popped her door and he took a step back so she could get out.  “Please, don’t ever call me Eloise.  I hate it,” she remarked simply as she marched past him, up the drive.

He didn’t know if it was okay, but he found himself following her anyway.  She didn’t invite him in, but he was in nevertheless, walking straight into her very open, very stainless steel kitchen.  The papers she’d been carrying were tossed down on the counter carelessly.

Moving straight towards the fridge, she pulled out a Diet Pepsi.  “Want one?”

He shook his head no.

She popped the top and threw back an extended drink.  “I feel so stupid.”  From the look of her, he thought she might be about to lose it.  Her body language was all over the place, her limbs a tangle of confusion and her eyes scrambling, unable to focus on anything in particular.  Definitely not focusing on JC.  “To think I was naïve enough to think that he wanted to work things out? I don’t understand.”  All of her movements stopped then and she focused directly on him.  “Why didn’t he say divorce if he wanted a divorce?  Why tell me this is just a trial separation if he was planning all along on filing for  divorce?”  Her pitch was creeping higher by the second.

Of course JC had no idea what to say.  He realized that he should have never followed her inside the house.  Big mistake.

She collapsed into a gray rod iron and rattan bar stool, letting her head fall into her arms on top of the dark granite topped center island.  “I.  Am.  So.  Stupid,” she repeated again, the sound escaping muffled through her arms.

Next thing he knew he’d sat down in the bar stool next to her.  “You’re not stupid.  These things just happen sometimes.”

“The funny thing is?  I don’t even think I like him anymore.”  She was still speaking into the counter top.  “I mean, he’s so boring… and… such an old man.  Forty-five’s not that old, I know, but he acts so old.  Older than—”  She stopped suddenly and looked up, right at him.  “Why am I telling you all this?”  It was more rhetorical than anything.

JC simply shrugged.

Tossing her arms up, she was shaking her head, obviously annoyed with herself.  “Now you probably really think I’m a freak!”

“I don’t think that.”  Although, he said it so softly his words probably didn’t sound all that convincing.  He really didn’t think that she was a freak, exactly, but her openness did catch him off guard.  He was struggling with the fact of who she was more than anything.  She just looked so different.  He’d seen her before.  Everyone had.  She was married to one of the biggest media moguls in the country, someone who probably held a tight spot in Forbes top 10 for the past decade.  She’d been blond before—a honey blond, with hair that had fallen way past her shoulders.  In the tabloids she always looked perfectly put together.  Not so much now.  Not that she looked bad, far from it. She just didn’t look like Mrs. James Sanderson.

She smirked, more nervously than anything.  “Right…  I’m sorry.  You just have really odd timing.  I mean, you just appear at the worst times in my life.  I’m usually very normal.  Honest.”

What exactly was normal for a woman like her?  Probably things he was also accustomed to.  Her normal probably wasn’t much different than his normal.  Or was it?  She was probably used to having everything handed to her.  No wonder such trivial things had knocked her off kilter.  No doubt, in her former life, she never had to lift a finger for herself.  Not with who she was married to.

JC had never been that privileged.  He tried his best to stay somewhat grounded.  And sure, he could live comfortably off the interest, alone, thanks to the money he made from ‘NSYNC.  Still, he was no where near as wealthy as Ellie’s soon to be ex-husband, that was for sure.

“Honestly, I’m still just trying to grip the fact that you look completely different than—”  He stopped then, because mentioning that he knew who she was and how she looked before made him feel like a stalker or something. 

“It’s amazing what a little hair color and a good cut can do,” she smirked.  “Have we met at a function before?”

“Not exactly.  I don’t think.”

She just nodded and took another gulp of her soft drink.  Her eyes focused towards the window across the kitchen.  “I’m sorry for venting to you.  Again, you caught me at a vulnerable moment.”

“It’s okay.  Actually, that’s really why I came over.  I wanted to apologize for what I did the other night at the club.”

“To be honest with you, if it wasn’t for Jill filling me in, I’m not sure I’d even remember.  So don’t worry about it.”  That was about the farthest from the truth.  Ellie remembered vividly.  Too vividly.  In fact, if she let herself stare at his lips for more than half a second, she was instantly taken back to how good they had felt against her.  That’s how much she remembered.

It was such a strange mix of emotions she was going through at the moment, between the anger she felt towards her estranged husband and the attraction she felt towards JC.

“I just hope that you know I’m really a harmless guy.  You can feel safe around me.  That’s all.”

Grinning, she let herself succumb to the desire, and focused her sight on his face.  “I know,” was all she said.

“Okay, good.”  Scooting out of the barstool, he stood, obviously ready to leave.  “If you ever need anything,” he stressed the last word, “feel free to come by.  Seriously.  Anything.  I can be handy at times.  You know, if you’re sink gets backed up or something, I’m just a short trek across the street.  Do you want my number, too?  Just in case?”

For some reason, the generosity he was extending made him even cuter than before.  It was sweet.  Sweet was something she definitely wasn’t used to.  “Sure, why not.”

Grabbing the notepad and pen she kept by the phone, he jotted down his number.  “Call anytime.  If you hear a noise or something in the middle of the night—  Anything.”

Now she was chuckling.  “JC, I appreciate your offering, but I’m not completely helpless.  I know I said I’ve lived in a bubble the past 5 years, and that’s true, but I have been on my own before.”  Then she grabbed the pen and wrote her number down for him as well.

If she wasn’t mistaken, she was sure she saw a slight blush spread across his cheeks.  “You’re right.  Sorry, again.  Alright, I’ll get out of your hair and let you take care of your business.”

She barely had a chance to say “bye” and “thanks” before he was out the front door. She shut and locked it behind him, secretly peering out the window afterward, just in time to watch him be intercepted by Gabby.

© BrandyRae 2008

Chapter 3 by BrandyRae
 The Good Neighbor by BrandyRae
Chapter 3

JC inwardly cringed at the sight of his annoying neighbor.  It was like the devil and the angel.  One right next door and one right across the street.  Of course, he realized instantly it was a bad analogy.  Ellie surely wasn’t that good.  And he wouldn’t want her to be.  Gabby, on the other hand, she might as well be Lucifer himself.  In the female form, no doubt.

Today she-Satan was dressed provocatively as usual—skin tight jeans and a clingy red v-neck, it’s neckline plunging ridiculously low.  Funny as it might sound, she was wearing more clothes than usual.  He was guessing she was on her way out. 

When she got close enough she started to whisper, discreetly—but not really—looking past him towards Ellie’s house.  “I found out some dirt,” she said, raising her overly tweezed brow.  “Guess who her husband is.  Or should I say, was?”

He opened his mouth, the words ‘I don’t want to hear it’ stuck at the back of his throat before he had a chance to vocalize them.

“AND, from what I’ve heard, he’s got quite a rap sheet with the ladies… if you know what I mean.  I can’t imagine a man like that could ever be faithful.”  JC didn’t stick around to hear another word.  He continued the short walk to his house, hoping to God she didn’t follow.  “I’ll tell you more later!” she shouted instead.

Subtly he shook his head as he slid back into the driver side of his Porsche, pulling it into the garage, shutting the door and rushing into the house for no reason whatsoever other than to be rid of his pesky neighbor.

Unfortunately, he couldn’t exactly get her words out of his head.  James Sanderson could have absolutely any woman he wanted.  Obviously that woman had been Ellie, but not now.  Was he having an affair?  Did she know if he was?  What kind of relationship did they have?  So many questions that were none of his business.  And all the sudden one thing popped into his head more than anything.

Did she ever pull her car in the garage?

He looked out the front window and noticed she hadn’t.  Then he pulled the piece of notepaper out of his pocket and dialed her number.  For some reason as soon as he heard her soft “hello?” through the phone, he was instantly smiling.

Damn it.  He liked her more than he should.

“Don’t forget to pull your car in.” 

Giggling, she said, “Thanks JC.”

He liked her giggle and he liked the sound of his name along with it.

Damn it.  “I figure you’re probably used to a little bit more security than you’ve got now.”  He didn’t really want to say all that, even though surely it was the truth.  He just hated it when people made assumptions about his life.  He was sure she didn’t like it either.  Didn’t matter though.  Again, his words were coming out faster than he could think them through.

“That’s probably true, but aside from forgetting to pull my car in the garage occasionally… I think I’m doing okay.”

He was smiling, not that she could see it.  “What are your plans for dinner?”  That came out before he could think about it too.  Oh well!

“Honestly, I hadn’t really thought that far ahead.”

He’d brought it up now, he had to follow through.  “Well, I order a mean take-out.”

She laughed at that.  Good, it was supposed to be funny.  At least, a little bit. 

“Unless, of course, you want to be alone, which, I totally understand if you do.”

“No.  Not really.  You’re more than welcome to come back by later if you want… and if you bring food, I’m sure I won’t turn it down.”

He smirked at how casual, yet inviting, she’d turned his offer.  It sounded sort of open-ended, and he liked that. 

The sun had set and the Santa Ana winds were blowing like crazy.  When Ellie found JC knocking on her front door the strong gusts practically pushed him right inside, along with the two paper bags he was holding.  She rushed him inside quickly, through the open entry hall and towards the kitchen.  He set both bags on the counter.

“I come bearing beverages,” he said, “and take-out menus.”  Then he pulled out a six-pack of Corona, two bottles of wine (Merlot and Chardonnay) and an array of paper menus.  “I figured after the day you had, you probably needed a drink,” he continued, “and I have no idea what your preference is so I chose a few and figured that if you wanted something different I’d go get it.  I also have a fully stocked bar at home, if necessary.”

There was something about him that screamed irresistibility.  He was so casual—a far cry from the former love of her life who had always been all business.  He was put together nicely in dark denim jeans and a pressed black t-shirt that hugged him in all the right spots.  JC wasn’t what you’d call a big guy, but she definitely spotted some very nice muscle definition going on underneath that 100 percent cotton.  His dark hair was cut short, sort of GQ meets preppy rocker?  She wasn’t sure exactly how to describe it other than she liked it and had the strongest desire to touch it.

Stepping up to him, she flattened a palm into the counter top and leaned in just a little.  “What exactly is this?” she asked, using her free hand to motion back and forth between the two of them.

Tight-lipped, he shrugged.

For a second she just stared at him, trying hard not to focus on his lips and be reminded of the kiss they’d shared just a few nights earlier.

“I just thought you might want some company, that’s all.”

“So just the neighborly welcoming committee?” she asked with a sly smile.

He smirked.  “No.  Not exactly.”

There they were.  Those lips.  And damn did she want to kiss them.  This was so completely bad.  She was going through a divorce, for chrissake!  The last thing she needed was to get involved. 

Although, she’d be lying if she said that the prospect of sex didn’t sound nice.  It had been too long.  Another sign her marriage had been failing months ago.

“You don’t bring drinks and take-out menus to all the new neighbors?” she asked, shifting her feet so she was just a smidgen closer.

“No.  Although I’m sure Gabby would be more than happy if I did.”

Ellie smirked.  “She’s got the hots for you.”

“She’s got the hots for a lot of people,” he shot back, inching closer.  His lips were too close.  She could hardly stand it.

“I’m sure there’s plenty of guys out there that would take her.”

“I’m sure there’s plenty that do,” he said, closer still, “but not me.”

His hand was next to hers on the counter.  The tip of his finger touching hers ever-so-slightly.  Ellie couldn’t take it any longer.  She had to know.  She had to feel what she felt before, again.  So she did it.  She pressed her mouth to his softly and slowly, breathing him in and basking in the electricity of his warm, moist lips against her.  Her eyes fluttered closed and his hand slipped over hers on top of the counter.  That cabinet was about the only thing holding her up at the moment.  Without it she’d be completely limp.  And she was realizing very quickly that his kiss was much better this time around, being that they were both completely sober.

Feathery soft, his lips brushed over hers again and again before finally she pulled back, ending it as quickly as she’d started it.  Grinning widely, she looked him right in the eye.  “I just wanted to know if it was as good sober as it was when we were drunk.”

The smile that spread across his face carried up to his eyes.  “I thought you said you barely remembered.”

“I lied.”

His next movements were swift and fluid as he braced a hand to the side of her neck and got her caught up in another whirlwind kiss.  This one not near as gentle as before, which was just fine by her.

She pulled away just long enough to mumble, “You’re a great kisser.”

“I heard you thought that.”  He barely let her see his cocky grin, but she caught a glimpse of it in between kisses.  It was probably the sexiest damn thing she’d ever seen.

“Let me guess—”  from Jill, she was going to say, but he pressed a thumb into her lips and didn’t let her finish.  She’d couldn’t ever remember feeling quite so turned on.  Her body was on the brink of sensory overload.  His lips were just about to touch hers again when his cell phone started buzzing on the counter.

Instantly she took a step backwards and turned away.  Talk about a major alarm going off!

“Shit,” he sighed, “I’m just gonna step outside for a sec.” 

His greeting to the phone call barely registered through the fog of her brain, along with the creak of the front door as he went out.  “What the hell am I doing?” she heard herself asking.  This was just crazy, kissing some strange guy she barely even knew!  So what if it felt really good?  Not only did she not know him at all, she was still technically married!  This was completely and totally out of character for her.  “Damn it.  Damn it.  Damn it.”

“You alright?”

She mouthed a silent curse before turning to face him, as she’d had no idea he’d come back inside and he’d clearly heard her venting to herself.  Spinning slowly on her heels, she smiled guiltily.  “This is just totally not like me.”

“Is that a bad thing?”  He was leaning against the door frame that separated the kitchen from the living room, both of his arms crossed over his chest, one foot crossed in front of the other. 

“I was just served divorce papers today and I’m kissing my neighbor that I barely know.  Bad or good, I don’t really know, but it’s definitely not something I would ever think I’d do.”

Half smiling, he relaxed his stance and moved deeper into the kitchen.  His sight focusing in on the menus he’d brought over, he slid the stack across the counter her direction.  “So, I’m kind of partial to Chinese food, but all of these places are really good, so you choose.”

Almost two hours later they were both sitting on a plushy, curved, sectional couch in the casual room right off the kitchen, watching reruns of Cops—of all things—and eating Chinese food directly out of the carton.  She was the first girl JC had ever encountered that didn’t mind doing that.  They always insisted on plates… always.  Ellie was cool, and different.  He liked that.

The word real was running through his mind again, but he didn’t let it stick around for long.  That always turned out to be a bad assumption on his part.  Been there, done that.  Besides, she’d been married to a gazillionaire.  There was no way anyone could stay real through that.

His eyes dropped down to her bare toes as they curled against the edge of the square chest that was being substituted as a coffee table; still neatly groomed, but the polish was even darker, almost black.  Why did he have this weird fascination with her feet?  Every time he got a look at them crazy thoughts started shooting through his head—crazy bedroom thoughts.

JC never had a problem sealing the deal.  Clearly that was not the direction he wanted to take things with Ellie.  He realized where things were headed earlier, after he’d first got there.  He had never expected for her to be so bold and just outright kiss him.  Even if he had been leaning in suggestively close.  Okay.  Maybe he had been just a little curious… Maybe that’s why he’d been throwing cosmic hints her way, but still, he’d never expected for her to do that

Not that he’d never been unexpectedly kissed in someone’s kitchen before.  No, much worse things had happened.  Well, technically, he wouldn’t exactly say those things were worse, meaning he didn’t like those things that had happened.  He had definitely liked them at the time.  It’s just that he’d been trying to clean up his act a little bit over the recent course of time.  It had been a whole three weeks, now, and for him, that was pretty damn good.

“This has got to be the catchiest theme song in TV history,” she remarked, another episode beginning and the unmistakable “Bad boys, bad boys, what’cha gonna do…” playing through the speakers. 

JC smirked softly before using his chopsticks to scoop another bite of chow mien noodles into his mouth.

“It’s hard not to sing along with it,” she continued.

“Feel free,” he told her with a sideways glance as he swallowed his mouthful.

She leaned forward and set her carton and chopsticks on the round tray that was setting on top of the chest.  “I’m too full.  Why’d you let me eat so much?” She looked back at him over her shoulder, still leaning forward a bit.

“I didn’t know I was supposed to tell you when to stop,” he replied.  He couldn’t help but be amused by her, but for some reason he didn’t let it show.  Sometimes she said the most off the wall things to him, like they’d been best friends forever.  It was so weird.

“You weren’t,” she answered casually and fell back against the sofa.  Discreetly he eyed the bottom half of her, fearing that eyeing the top half would be too obvious.  She was sitting fairly close.  Not touching close, but close enough that another person couldn’t really fit in between them.  She was wearing jeans for the first time around him, they were dark, dark blue and, no doubt, designer.  They also fit extremely well, as if they were tailored specifically for her figure, especially in the butt.  Not that he had a good look at it now, but he’d made sure to check it out earlier when he’d had the chance.  The image was still fresh, along with the taste of her lips on his mouth.  Although, he was trying his best not to think about that. 

“Should we open one of the bottles of wine that you brought?” she asked, her head turning his direction questioningly.  They’d managed to refrain up until that point.  He wasn’t exactly sure why.  Still, he almost felt the need to remind her of what happened last time they’d been drinking and within touching distance.  Of course, he was the one that had brought the alcohol in the first place so that wouldn’t make much sense.

So instead of voicing all that shit going through his head, he simply replied with a “sure.”

She stood, grabbing the tray with her half-empty carton and moseyed into the kitchen.  He could see her from the corner of his eye, but he tried his best not to watch her too noticeably.  She emptied the tray, tucked one of the bottles of wine under her arm and headed back towards him.

When she leaned down directly in front of him to place the tray on the chest he had a direct view down the center of her cleavage.  He didn’t want to look, but he definitely was.

It was nice… to say the least.

She stood back up straight, not noticing what he’d done in the slightest.  “Glasses?” he asked automatically, since there were none.

“In the bar,” she said simply, moving around and behind him.  He desperately wanted to turn around and watch her, but he managed to control the urge.  She had this sexy little bounce to her step that he found himself thoroughly enjoying.  More and more he was beginning to think that alcohol was the last thing the two of them needed.

But, again, that was not going to stop him in the slightest. 

He took a quick second to remind himself about his 3 weeks of celibacy, just as she returned, sitting down beside him.  “You do it,” she stated simply.

Grabbing the bottle of merlot and the corkscrew, he gladly opened the bottle and set it back on the tray situated in the center of the old chest—old, but surely expensive.  Not that he had an eye for it or anything, but it looked probably antique. 

 

Ellie watched as JC stood, walking his empty food carton into the kitchen.  “You mind if I use your restroom?” he called out to her.

“No.  Go ahead,” she told him.  It was obvious where it was located—right through the doorway—so she didn’t feel the need to show him, knowing he’d already passed by it three or four times.

He nodded and turned, disappearing to use the facility.

Alone, she sucked in a deep breath.  “What the hell am I doing?” she whispered quietly, her eyes glued to the doorway so she’d know when he came back.  Then she shook her head lightly, amazed at her behavior. 

First off, kissing the guy in the kitchen earlier, that was completely out of character for her.  Completely!  Not that she didn’t like it.  Not that she hadn’t relived the memory several times since it had happened.  But still!  It was just plain crazy.  And here she was, sharing a meal, and now a glass of wine, pretending that they’d been buddies for decades and knew each others deepest, darkest secrets.

Is this what divorce does to a person?

But she didn’t feel like she was doing anything wrong.  It wasn’t as if she’d offered to sleep with the guy or anything.  And hanging out with JC definitely took her mind off of all the terrible things going on in her life at the moment.  So, with that thought, she was going to stop worrying about how crazy it might be and just keep letting it flow.  At this point, that’s all she could do.

When he stepped back out, their eyes locked almost immediately.  Direct eye contact was something they’d both been avoiding as much as possible since the kiss.  Ellie had studied every part of him at every moment possible, but the eyes were deadly and she was trying not to focus on them unless absolutely necessary.  Luckily he broke from her line of sight first, with an innocent survey of the kitchen.  “You know, the other side of the street has a better view.”  His side of the street, he should have said.

Oh, dear.  Did she need to say it?  She did.  “I didn’t pick this house.”

He looked somewhat perplexed.  “What do you mean?” he asked, sitting down in the same spot he’d been before and finally pouring the wine.

“James did.”

“Oh.”  He handed her the wide goblet, almost half full.  Then it was like realization hit, one side of his face scrunching in confusion.  “Wait.  I don’t get it.”

“You don’t really want to hear all the details of my separation and soon-to-be divorce, do you?” she asked, half peering over her glass as she was about to take that first sip.

He sat the bottle back on the tray and fingered his own glass.  “Well, I guess not if you don’t want to tell.”

“He has a lot of money, JC.”

The look he shot her then could only be described as what she’d call—duh.  “Well, no shit,” he remarked.

“Not just money, but power and control,” Ellie continued, taking another long, slow sip, her eyes still bravely peering at him over the top of her glass.

“So, because he has money and power and control you couldn’t decide where you wanted to live?  Not that I’m complaining or anything,” he quickly added.  “You seem like an okay neighbor so far.”  There was a twinkle in his eye that hadn’t been there seconds before and she realized instantly that he was teasing her.  It made her breath stop for just a short second.

“Ha ha, thanks,” she shot back, before explaining.  “I’m pretty sure you’ve already gathered what a surprise the divorce papers were to me.  I was going along with what he wanted in hopes to reconcile.”

“Oh.”

“So what were the people like that lived here before?” she asked, deciding a change of subject would be good at this point.

“You mean you didn’t hear?”  He set his glass down and leaned in towards her just a smidgen.

“Hear what?” she asked.

“Oh no… If you don’t already know, I’m not going to be the one to tell you.”

“Tell me what?  You can just say something like that and then not tell.”

The look on his face was completely serious and it was really starting to freak her out.  What the hell had happened in this house? 

“Please don’t tell me someone died here,” she said, a trace of fear creeping into her tone.  He just sat there stiff, this stone grimace across his face.  Meanwhile Ellie was really starting to panic.  Setting her glass down, she reached for his arm, not even thinking twice, and shook him, hoping to get an answer.  “JC,” she was practically squealing.  “Tell me.  How bad is it?  It wasn’t murder, was it?”

Finally his features broke and he laughed.  Laughed and laughed and laughed.  Ellie fell back against the couch.  Damn she was gullible.

“That was way too easy,” he said, still chuckling.  “You fell into that so easy.”

 

JC watched with amusement as Ellie began softly cursing herself under her breath.  For a girl who seemed so “nice” and “straight”, she voiced some rather nasty profanities, even if they were barely audible.  If it were someone else it might have been a turn off, but with her it was quite the opposite.  “Potty mouth…” he finally said, interrupting her silent rant. 

She stopped, completely still, and stared at him blankly.  “You’re probably starting to think I have Tourette or something.” 

He wasn’t sure if he should smile or be serious.  “You don’t.  Do you?”

“Oh, hell no.”  Reaching for her glass from the table, she took a rather large gulp.

Letting a smile creep over his lips, he raised his glass.  “To new beginnings with crazy neighbors,” he said, hoping she’d laugh and not get offended.

Neither exactly happened.  With a slight tip of her glass, she took another generous drink of her wine and then looked him over.  “I’m beginning to think that’s true,” she said, with a raise of her brow.  “About myself.”

JC smirked.  “I was trying to be funny.”

“Oh, I know that, JC.”  She was taking another drink already.

He’d thought about asking if she wanted more—she seemed to need it—but the doorbell rang and interrupted the strange moment they were having.  He was kind of glad because their conversation had gone to a weird place, for sure.  It only reminded him that she was going through a lot of shit and probably not the most stable person at the moment, which both made him want to help her and run and hide, all at the same time.

With a huff she took the little bit of wine in her glass with her and went off toward the front door.  It was only a few steps away and clearly in sight, so he took the opportunity to let his eyes follow her. 

That damn sexy walk… The alcohol didn’t do a damn thing to it.  It was definitely still there.  The fact that she was so obviously NOT doing it on purpose, only made it that much more intriguing.

“Shit.” She turned her back to the door and completely caught him ogling her.  Although, it seemed the last thing on her mind at the moment. 

Of course, JC immediately thought the worst.  “Is it your ex?” he asked, the encounter already playing out in his head.

She shook her head no vigorously.  “Worse,” she said in a frightened whisper.  “It’s Gabby.”

At that he was cussing too.  “Shit is right.”  He could only imagine the jealous gossip she’d spread.  “That’s worse than Star magazine knocking at your door,” he added, shaking his head somewhat disgruntled.

“Just go hide and I’ll try and get rid of her,” Ellie decided.

He nodded in agreement.  Taking his wine and scrambling out of the room.

JC wasn’t quite sure where to go.  This was the deepest he’d been inside of her house.  It was probably one of the smallest houses on the block.  He ducked into the first open door he could find and tried his best to listen, but for some reason he couldn’t hear a thing.

Leaning his shoulders against the wall, he finished off the rest of the wine.  His eyes now adjusting to the dark, he realized he was in a bedroom.  Was it her bedroom?  He thought it might be.  If only it wasn’t dark outside he’d be able to get a better look. 

Of course, the thought did surface that he shouldn’t be quite so damn curious about it in the first place.  He realized he was standing close to a nightstand or table and set his glass down, reminding himself not to take with him when he left.

Two voices came in to ear shot and he frowned at the realization that Gabby was actually inside of the house.  The woman was hard to get rid of once she passed over that first threshold.  Damn.

It sounded like they were talking about muffins or cupcakes or something.  Jesus… she brought food?  What did she think?  She’d get in the woman’s good graces by offering up some sweets?  Well, no shit, of course she did.  Flaunting her sex obviously hadn’t worked…

“JC?”

By the time Ellie’s whisper registered, he realized she was directly in front of him.  “Right here,” he whispered back.

“Where are you?  I can’t see.”

He smirked softly realizing he had the total advantage since her eyes had yet to adjust to the darkness.  He could see her perfectly.

“She won’t leave,” Ellie continued, still whispering but with a bit of urgency mixed in her tone.  “What do I do?”

He didn’t care.  He had this desperate urge to kiss her again and before he could even second guess himself, he’d grabbed her waist, pulled her into him and captured her mouth in another fiery kiss. 

Ellie didn’t fight it in the slightest.

© BrandyRae 2008

Chapter 4 by BrandyRae
The Good Neighbor by BrandyRae
Chapter 4

Ellie realized that somehow she’d managed to get herself into the most intimate position with JC yet, as her body was completely pressed up against him.  She also realized that it felt super nice.  Really, really, really, super nice.  So nice that she was absolutely tingly from head to toe.

If it weren’t for the fact that the image of her nosy neighbor reading her divorce papers in the kitchen popped into her head, she may have just stayed there all night.  Instead she had a near panic attack and pulled away quickly.

JC was already quietly apologizing.  “Shit.  I did not mean to do that.”

But Ellie's mind was completely in a different place.  “She’s in my kitchen with my divorce papers!” 

Ellie didn’t hang around to catch his opinion on the whole matter, instead she high-tailed it back out in the open.  Gabby was walking out of the room just as she was walking in.  “I was wondering where you went,” the woman remarked.  “Sweetie, you okay?  Hey, I know what it’s like to go through a tough divorce.  If you need someone to talk to, my door is always open.”

“I appreciate—” that, she started to say, but the pleasant interruption of the phone ringing stopped her.  “Hold on a sec while I grab that,” she told Gabby instead.

She tried catching her breath before she answered it, but she was sure she still sounded a little winded.  The past two minutes had contained enough action to cover the average ten, and her head was still spinning from the lip lock she’d just shared with JC—again.  

“Hey.  Act surprised, like this call is urgent and then tell her that she needs to leave.”  It was him.  Oh, how badly she wanted to smile at the fact that he was on the phone, speaking softly from the other room, on his cell phone, obviously, in an effort to help her get rid of Gabby The Annoyance. 

“What?  Everything okay?” She’d never faked a conversation before.  It felt a little weird.

She expected JC to be quiet the whole time, but when the soft and sexy words “I really want to kiss you again” came through the phone, she nearly lost it.

“Can you hold on for a sec?” she spoke into the cordless receiver and then pulled the device from her ear, covering the mouthpiece.  “Gabby, I hate to be rude, but this is long distance and I really need to take it.”  She was heading towards the woman, trying to usher her towards the front door. 

Thankfully it was working.  Gabby was backing towards the door.  “Just remember what I said… If you need anything I’m just right across the street.”  Funny, that was the second time she’d heard that in one day.  The first offer had been way more tempting, though.

Opening the door, Gabby stepped out onto the front porch. 

“Thanks,” Ellie said.  “I appreciate it.”   Gabby took two more steps backwards, stopping just before falling down the single step.  “Oh, and thanks again for the muffins,” Ellie added, wondering why the hell the woman was bringing muffins over at 8:30 PM anyway!

“No problem.”  Gabby flashed a Restalyn enhanced smile and finally turned away, scurrying across the street.

Releasing a breathy sigh, Ellie shut the front door and locked it.  Turning around, she found JC right behind her.  Not a word escaped him, but his eyes were speaking mouthfuls.  Next thing she knew, his lips were on her again—both passionate and delicate, a mix that made her insides dance and spin.  His fingertips slipped up the side of her face, tangling in her hair, and she just wanted to die.  Her head was telling her that kissing him was wrong in the most sinful of ways, but the rest of her did not want it to end ever.

Her hands found his jaw line, her thumbs slipping across his 100-percent male skin and her fingers enjoying the tickle of his short hair.  “I can’t handle this,” she finally managed to breath.  “It’s too much.”

Slowly JC’s lips fell away.  His face still close enough that she could feel his breath.  Her hands remained at his neck, a move she wasn’t quite ready to give up.  She had the strongest desire to just lean her head into his shoulder, but she held back. 

“I’m an asshole,” he said.  “I shouldn’t have done that, either time.”

“No,” she looked into his deep blue eyes without any hesitation this time.  “I’m glad that you did.”  She let a tiny smile spread across her cheeks.  “It’s just, I’m going through so much… and I find myself really—” She stopped herself.  JC looking at her kind of funny.  Surely he wanted more of an explanation. 

“Really what?” he asked.

Ellie smirked.  “Really enjoying it when you kiss me.”

He half smiled, almost winking at her.  Damn, he was sexy.  He went from cute to sexy in a matter of a couple days.  It was ridiculous, but it was the truth.  She hated that she could want a man so much so quickly, especially considering the circumstances.  “Me too,” he confessed, his demeanor soft and gentle.  It was a side of him she liked very much.  She hadn’t witnessed soft and gentle from a man in a very, very long time.  “But I’m thinking I should probably go.”

“You’re probably right.”  Her words said one thing, but her stance said another.  Her hands were still resting against him, and his fingers were still against her cheek. 

“I’m starting to feel like I’m taking advantage.”

“Well, I wouldn’t necessarily say that…” Ellie remarked.  “I was the one that kissed you the first time today.”

JC was smiling again.  “This is true,” he agreed. 

He was just so damn irresistible.  If only this was happening at a different time and place.  Maybe then her conscious wouldn’t be bothering her so much.  “If only I hadn’t been served those divorce papers today of all days…”

 

 

JC could totally understand where she was coming from.  Well, sort of.  Honestly, she didn’t seem all that upset about the divorce papers.  He was dying to know more about the circumstances surrounding her defunct marriage, but he wasn’t quite ready to ask. 

He wasn’t quite sure why he had attacked her twice now in the past ten minutes.  Other than the fact that he just really enjoyed kissing her.  He kept reminding himself that he’d been trying to behave the past few weeks.  Of course, that could have been part of the problem.  He was freakin’ horny as hell.

“What do you mean by that?” he found himself asking.

Her brow furrowed in between her eyes.  “This just wouldn’t seem so bad then.  You know?  I mean, what’s wrong with me?  I am not usually this easy.  I swear.”

JC full-on chuckled at that.  “It was a few kisses.” Hot steamy kisses, but that was beside the point.  “It wasn’t like we had sex or anything.”

The husky smirk that came out of her then caused him to ache in the worst places.  Because as soon as he mentioned the word sex, it became obvious that she’d been thinking it.

Three weeks… He silently reminded himself.  Don’t give in now, you idiot.

He may have been trudging along, being a good boy for the past three weeks, but up until this point he hadn’t met anyone quite as worthy as Ellie.  Was cleaning up his act really worth saying no to her?  Not that she’d asked, but he was guessing a little intimacy is what she really needed.

Unfortunately, that also brought on the reminder that Ellie was a woman scorned.  Even if she didn’t act like it.  This woman was going through a rocky divorce.  This was extremely bad territory.

Her hands fell away from  him and as much as it disappointed him, he was sort of glad.  If she hadn’t of made the mood, he might not have either.  “I’ll go,” he said simply.

She stepped to the side and reached for the door handle.  “I hope things won’t be weird between us now,” she said.

JC shook his head no.  “I meant what I said earlier.  If you need anything, handy or otherwise, just give me a call.”  Had he just offered himself to her?  Well, shit.  He hadn’t exactly meant to.  Not consciously, anyway.  Of course, he wasn’t going to be rude and take it back.

“I appreciate that.”  If she’d caught the underlayment of his words, she didn’t show it.  He was glad.

Finally backing out the door.  They said there last goodbyes and he headed home, hoping to God that Gabby wasn’t watching from her window.

As soon as Ellie watched JC make it safely inside his house she picked up the phone to call Jill.  She was in DESPERATE need of some advice after all that had just happened.  Maybe her best girlfriend would have some idea what had come over her and where all this craziness had come from.

When it rang for a third time, Ellie was literally praying that the woman would answer.  Finally, as she was just sure it was going to voicemail, Jill picked up and answered, completely out of breath.

“Uh, did I interrupt something?” Ellie was asking, her mind still in a very sexual place.

“Yeah.  My workout,” Jill answered stoutly, still panting.

“Oh.  Sorry, but I REALLY need to talk to you.”

Jill immediately smirked.  “Hold on,” she said.  Then Ellie could swear she heard the girl gulping down water.  Then she let out a noisy breath and said, “What’s going on?  Everything okay?”

Of course, Ellie did realize that she should have been explaining how she was served her divorce papers, but that was not her reason for calling in the slightest.  Just more craziness!  But Ellie wasn’t a beat-around-the-bush kind of girl.  She just blurted it all out.  “JC came over for dinner.  We kind of kissed again—three different times.”

Instead of saying anything, Jill instantly started laughing.

“It’s not funny.  Jill, it’s not funny…” Ellie repeated, hoping it would make her stop.  “Why are you laughing?”

“For chrissake, El.  Just screw the guy already.”

“Jill…” It came out as a quiet gasp.  As if her friend’s words were shocking.  They weren’t.

“You obviously like him, and it would make you feel a helluvalot better.”

Well, Ellie definitely wasn’t arguing that one!  “I got served divorce papers today.”  She figured she might as well just get it all out in the open.

“Even more reason why you should be engaging in some casual sex,” Jill mouthed off.  “You did call Stephen, didn’t you?”

“The attorney?”

“Yes.”

“I have an appointment with him tomorrow.  You’re on a first name basis with this guy?”

“El, you know better than to ask me questions like that.  Would I refer you to someone that I wasn’t on a first name basis with?”

Jill’s connections were insane.  Of course, she was Beverly Hills born and bred.  Her father had just retired as one of the area’s most renowned plastic surgeons.  He was filthy rich, just like most in the area, and he knew everyone.  Jill had taken her own route, though.  Her business matters were much more complicated.  “I guess not,” Ellie finally replied.

“Okay, so back to this whole matter with JC.  You know, I’ve met him before… a long time ago.”

“Keep going…” Ellie urged.

“I think he’s a good choice for you as far as hook ups go.  I’m serious.”

“I can’t just do that, though.”

“But you want to,” Jill replied.  “I know you do.  Does he take your mind off the old asshole or not?”

“Yes.  Definitely.”

“Just think of it as therapy…” Jill said with a chuckle.  “I’m sure JC wouldn’t mind helping you out in that department.”

“Just answer me this,” Ellie said, slouched down in that favorite chair of hers that was right in front of the front window.  The sheers made it easy for her to see out, but not so easy for people to see in.  At least, that was the idea anyway.  “Should I feel attracted to other men already?  I mean, shouldn’t I be busy wallowing?”

“Well I suppose if you want to be miserable… but you had to know this was coming.  I mean, when’s the last time you had sex with the prehistoric fart?”

“He is only 45, Jill.  That is not old!”

“Why are you defending the jerk after all he did to you.  Now answer the question.”

With a defeated slump, Ellie caved.  “Our last wedding anniversary.”

“That was in September!  It’s March!”  Ellie could hear Jill counting it out.  “That’s six months, El.  That’s just sad.”

“I think I need to go now.  I’m feeling the need to wallow.”

“Call JC!” Jill was shouting practically.

“I’ll talk to you tomorrow,” she told her friend and hung up.  Then she collapsed flat on her back, staring up at the blank ceiling.  Why hadn’t she known her marriage was failing?Why did she even care?  Honestly, she didn’t miss James in the slightest.  They’d hardly spent any time together since their first year of marriage.  Yes, he’d given her everything her heart desired and then some, but the more she thought about it, she wasn’t sure love was ever a factor. 

He’d wined her and dined her and made her feel like the most special girl in the universe, and in turn Ellie had mistaken all of that for love.  Honestly, the more she thought about it, the more she realized that she didn’t really know what true love actually felt like.  That’s what caused her to feel depressed more than anything.  She hadn’t cried over her divorce, but she wanted to cry over the mistake of the marriage in the first place.


JC hated to admit it, but over the course of the next few days he found himself watching for her.  Not obsessively or anything, but definitely enough to irritate himself.  Every time he’d leave the house, his eyes just automatically gravitated towards her address.  Each time he walked by the front windows, which for some reason was more than usual, he was peeking out to see if he’d catch a glimpse of her.

What the hell was it about this woman that had invaded his brain so deeply?

When he’d left her house after their all-too comfortable dinner and then even more comfortable make-out session, he’d had one helluva time getting her out of his head.  First he tried locking himself in the studio, which normally did the trick.  Not this time.  It was ridiculous and he hated it. 

Mainly it was those lips and that damn sexy little walk she had.  Those were the worst.  As soon as he’d get one part of her out of his head, the other would pop in. 

After one full unproductive hour in the studio, he gave up and went to bed, flipping through the channels on the TV until one in the morning, all the while debating on whether or not he should send her some kind of text message.  The urge was tough to suppress, but he finally managed and placed his cell phone in the nightstand drawer.  Out of sight, out of mind, he figured.  It had worked well enough. 

But his damn cell phone had been a curse ever since, because the urge was still hanging on.  He almost wished she hadn’t given him the number.  It was too easy to communicate these days with all the different electronic gadgets at everyone’s disposal. 

By Sunday, he was thoroughly annoyed with himself and bound and determined to stop thinking about Ellie Sanderson.  He had the perfect antidote.  He was going out with the guys.  Surely that would help.

It was pretty late in the evening when he was pulling out of the driveway, exactly at the same time that she was pulling in.

Shit.

It was the slight leap that he felt in his chest that really pissed him off.  He didn’t even look at her.  Not even to realize that she had someone else in the car with her.  Instead he sped off, his tires peeling out just a little.

“Jesus, what the hell is wrong people… driving like assholes.”

“Mom…” Ellie sighed, waiting for the garage door to open so she could pull her car in.

“You know I hate asshole drivers,” the stout 55-year-old responded.  If anyone ever wondered where Ellie’s occasional “potty mouth” came from, all they had to do was spend five minutes with her mother.  She was worse than a sailor, one might say.

“I know,” Ellie remarked, maneuvering her pricey vehicle into the safety of her garage.  She turned off the engine and hit the remote to shut the door before they’d even got out.  For some reason the prospect of JC meeting her mother was a little scary.  Sure, he might have just immaturely sped down the street, but that didn’t mean he couldn’t come back any second.

Popping the trunk, Ellie pulled her mom’s small piece of luggage out of the back.  It wasn’t part of the top-dollar Louis Vuitton set Ellie had sent her for Christmas two years ago.  No, it was the same raggedy suitcase she’d had since Ellie was a kid.  It didn’t even have wheels.

Why? Why? Why?

“Where’d the luggage go that I bought you?” Ellie asked, setting the light blue, raggedy thing down on the garage floor with a huff.  It was ridiculously heavy.

“It’s in the closet at home.  I told you, if I use it someone might steal my luggage at the airport.  Do you think I’m crazy?”

Ellie just shook her head, straining to pick up the bag again—it felt like there was as an entire collection of Encyclopedias inside of it—and quickly heading towards the house.  “What the hell did you shove in this thing?” 

She had to stop mid-way and take a break.  Her mom hip-bumped her out of the way and grabbed it.  “Wimp,” she remarked.  “Where’s my room?”

With a smirk, Ellie picked up her shoulders and followed her mom inside.  She loved the woman to death, but she was thankful she’d only be visiting for a few days.

It was almost one in the morning and JC was officially hammered.  More so than he’d been in quite some time.  The bad news was that it hadn’t really helped.  He found himself wishing that Ellie would walk through the door any second.  He wanted to flirt with her and shoot inconspicuous glances at her… and maybe if he got lucky enough, even kiss her… maybe even more than kiss her.  Okay, who was he kidding?  He definitely wanted to “more than” kiss her.  Unfortunately, no matter how hard he willed her to step into the club, it just wasn’t happening. 

With a quiet huff he slouched deeper into the booth.  There were people everywhere, close by, on his right and on his left.  Some were even very attractive woman.  One was practically unbuttoning her top for him. 

He wasn’t paying attention to any of it.

Instead, he was fingering his cell phone, thinking of all the obscene text messages he could send her.  He pictured the shock and awe on her pretty little face if he were to send her something really dirty.  Then he suppressed a smile as the thought occurred of her sending something naughty back.

Damn.  This was ridiculous. 

Next thing he knew his thumbs were skimming across the little QWERTY keypad.  He’d hit send before he could even check the spelling. 

Even in his drunken state, though, he remembered exactly what it had said.  It was simple and straight-to-the-point—I want 2 have sex with u—and probably made the prospect even that much more slim.  Too bad he was too intoxicated to realize it before he’d sent it.

Grumbling under his breath, he reached for one of the many shots that had just been set at the table and threw it back quickly.  He was going to need it if he wanted to live with himself for the rest of the night.

© BrandyRae 2008

Chapter 5 by BrandyRae
The Good Neighbor by BrandyRae
Chapter 5

The vibration of her cell phone sitting on the nightstand startled Ellie, to say the least.  She hadn’t been asleep—even though it was almost one a.m.—but she’d definitely been on her way to dropping off, Jimmy Kimmel playing softly on the TV for background noise. 

When it buzzed, she sat up straight, instantly awake.  With a breath, she picked it up, not sure who the hell would be sending her messages at this hour.  When she finally viewed it, she was instantly confused.

It was sort of jumbled.  I wnt sex u.  With a giggle, she figured it must be a mistake.  “Someone’s horny at one a.m.,” she chuckled to herself.  Then the thought occurred to her… It came from a number that she did not have stored in her phone.  She’d never programmed JC’s number in her phone…  He wouldn’t.  Would he?

With a swallow she hopped out of bed and stumbled through the dark to the kitchen.  Switching on the dim light over the stove, she found the piece of paper she’d left by the phone that had his numbers on it. 

Then she gasped as she realized it was the same.  “Holy shit…”  He had to be drunk.  It was one in the morning, after all.  Next thing she knew she was peeking out her front window again, wondering if he was doing the same, hoping for an invite.

What a bold move.  He just had to be drunk!  She couldn’t imagine him being so blatantly forward when he was sober.  Besides, the message had been a little unclear with the wording.  Surely if he were sober he would have at least sent something more understandable!

Without stewing about it one second more, she hit reply and typed the words Are u drunk?  Or just crazy?

Shaking her head, she pulled herself away from the window and quietly made way back to her bedroom.  Her mom was obviously sound asleep, as the woman’s loud snoring could be heard even through the sealed-tight door.

Ellie had just slipped back underneath her covers when her phone buzzed again.  It was a one word text.  Drunk was his answer.  She’d barely finished reading it when it buzzed again.  Another message—and horny.

Oh lord!  She started to type R u home? and quickly erased it.  That could lead down a bad path.  Well, maybe not all that bad.  It wasn’t like she didn’t want to.  Okay, she DEFINITELY wanted to, but she was struggling to make her conscious feel alright with that. 

She was typing again.  What makes u think I can help?  Smirking, she sent that one without any hesitation.

His response came in less than a minute.  Bcz im drunk.  That much was obvious!  But she found  herself laughing anyway.  She realized that if she hadn’t had such a huge crush, she probably would’ve been completely turned off by his behavior.  Instead she found it sort of adorable.  God… this was not a good sign on her part!

 

As soon as JC got a response from her, he started drinking water, thinking more than anything that he needed to sober up—QUICK! 

Smacking Mac on the shoulder, he waited for the man’s attention and then told him, “I need to go home.”

Mac just looked at him kind of funny.  “Why?”

Of course JC knew there was only one thing that would get the man to take action.  He held up his phone.  “Booty call,” he stated simply.

Shaking his dark head, Mac turned to the girl he’d been sitting with for the past two hours and whispered something in her ear.  Two minutes later all three of them were leaving.  Apparently Mac had found a booty call of his own.  Whatever worked, as long as JC got home in one piece. 

Slumped down in the back seat of Mac’s Range Rover, he started typing another message.  Her last message had read That’s obvious.

Next thing he knew he was spilling all his guts.  I thought drinking might make me stop thinking about u.

The response took longer than he wanted it to.  Especially since that had been a pretty honest thing for him to say.  When his phone finally beeped, he was instantly smiling, slouched down even deeper into the seat, not wanting Mac or Mac’s female friend to see.  R u home? It said.

Ten minutes, he typed back.  Sitting up, JC leaned up towards the front seats.  “Can you hurry?” he asked.

“No.  Do you want to die on the way there?”

“Man… fuck…” was all JC could come up with.  He still felt really drunk.  God, would he even be able to perform?  Shit.  Of course he could.  That was a stupid thought.

Ellie wasn’t sure what had come over her as she slipped on a pair of jeans and tossed a t-shirt over the Victoria’s Secret tank she’d been ready to sleep in.  Was she actually going to go through with this?  Was she really going to sleep with JC?  Even with him drunk out of his mind?

This was so unlike her, but she couldn’t help it.  She needed to have sex.  That’s all there was to it.  She’d never been so goddamn horny in her life.

Her phone buzzed again and she picked it up.  Almost there, it said, should I come to you?

“No, no, no…” she whispered to herself as she typed No… your house not mine.  She hit the send key and smacked herself in the head.  There was no turning back now!

Quickly she brushed her hair and her teeth, and slipped into a pair of flip flops.  She left her TV on, but shut her bedroom door—her mom still snoring as loud as a chainsaw—and then waited in the front room, in the dark, watching out the window.

A car was just pulling up to his house.  JC got out.  At least he wasn’t stumbling.  For being drunk, his walk looked pretty steady.

Good!

She watched him go inside, waiting for the SUV to pull away.  Then she quietly stepped out her front door and cautiously walked across the street.

This was definitely the strangest yet most exciting thing she’d ever done.  Her adrenaline was pumping faster than she could ever remember. 

Knocking, she waited for him to answer.  She stood there for a minute… Nothing.

Then she knocked again.  Still… nothing.  Finally she got brave and turned the handle.  It was open.

That’s when her phone vibrated in her pocket.  It stated simply, Doors open, need quick shower, make yourself comfortable.  He’d spelled out all the words.  Either his drunken fog was wearing off a bit or he’d turned on the automatic word checker.

Shutting the door softly behind her, she locked it and let out a nervous breath.  Slowly she stepped deeper into the house, eyeing the chair she’d slept in the last time she’d been inside his house.

He’d left a trail of lights on.  She decided to follow. 

Her heart was pounding inside of her chest as she moved down the hall, straight into his bedroom.  The bathroom door was open and the shower was clearly on.  He was in there—naked. 

She was almost ready to faint.  “Oh my god, what the hell am I doing?” she whispered to herself, taking in all of her surroundings.

The room screamed man.  It was obvious he’d decorated.  It was all very masculine in dark earth tone colors and clean, straight lines.  The bed was the obvious focus in the room.  It was huge, for one, with this dark brown leather headboard that climbed up the wall about 3 feet higher than the mattress.  There were only a few pillows—cream and brown and black.  The spread was obviously Down and the Duvet cover was a solid cream color.  There was a peek of the sheets showing—cream, brown and black striped.  Even from across the room they looked incredibly soft.

There were no pictures on the wall.  Only an insanely huge plasma TV and a dresser with not one spec of dust and not one item sitting on top of it.  His nightstands matched the dresser—a multi-line home phone perched on one and identical modern-styled lamps sitting on both.  A glass door led out to what looked like a balcony. 

It was all a little overwhelming all the sudden.  How had she got to this place?

The water stopped and so did her breath.  Was she really going to go through with this?

She’d been gazing out at the view when she finally heard his voice a few minutes later. 

“Hey…” he spoke kind of softly, non aggressively.  It was comforting.  She was glad.  She needed that.

Slowly she turned, grinning sort of shyly.  “You’re right.  The view is better on this side of the street.”  He looked amazingly attractive, fresh out of the shower.  He was dressed in a loose pair of jeans and a plain white t-shirt.  She’d wondered, before she laid eyes on him, if he’d end up coming out in a towel.  Maybe a little bit of his brazenness had worn off since she was in the same room with him now.

He stepped closer to her and if she wasn’t mistaken, she had the feeling that he was just as nervous as she was.  “I thought you’d never talk to me again after I sent that first message,” he told her.

“It took me a minute to figure out it was you,” she explained, her eyes studying his face—his blue eyes were dark as night and his jaw was speckled with stubble.  His soap smelled spicy and clean.  JC was insanely attractive.  She was in desperate need for this man.  There was no denying it.  “I didn’t have your number saved in my phone.”

One simple nod with his head was all he gave her.  “I’m sorry if it came across a little rude.”

“It’s okay.”  Her words came out extremely soft, as she realized he’d stepped even closer.  Her eyes followed his hand as it rose to the side of her neck.  His face was inching closer and her heart was thumping like a drum inside of her chest.

She was sure his mouth was just about to close over her own, but instead he spoke again, whispery soft.  “I’ve just never had this problem before.”

“What problem?”  When she answered, their lips were so close that they were almost touching.

He kissed her then just once.  It was soft and slow and made her head spin—for the umpteenth time.  “This problem of not being able to stop thinking about one woman, about you…”  He’d barely finished the words before pressing his mouth to hers again, this time engaging in a dance that was much more passionate.  Ellie’s hands found there way to his shoulders—sturdy and strong and muscular—as the kiss deepened, her head tilting just a bit to the side to allow him better access.

When he finally allowed her a breath, she grinned coyly.  “Is that really a problem?” she asked.

He returned the gesture, although his grin was a bit more bold.  “It’s not right now,” he said and then captured her lips again.  This time it was complete fire and Ellie knew that she would in no way be able to stop what was about to happen.  No way.

But it didn’t turn into throw-down, rip-each-others-clothes-off-in-a-hurry, fall-down-on-the-bed sex.  In fact, far from it.  For the longest moments they just stood there—kissing and kissing and kissing.  Until finally Ellie’s feet were getting tired.  It was an ungodly hour in the morning, after all.

She slipped out of her flip flops and JC automatically looked down at her feet.  Then he did the craziest thing by completely hoisting her off the ground and carrying her to his bed.  Carefully he set her down—on the edge of the mattress, not in the middle—and then sat down beside her.  “We don’t have to,” was all he said.  She was guessing that maybe now he felt a little guilty, like he’d pressured her.

“Do you not want to?” she asked instead.

He half-grinned.  “No.  I didn’t say that.”

“Because I’m pretty sure that I do want to,” she admitted boldly.

A quiet smirk escaped him before his sight slid away from her.  “Make yourself comfortable,” he said.  “There’s something I need to do.”

He got up and she did as he said, lying back against his pillows and relaxing her feet against the soft bedspread.  He’d disappeared from the room and she was wondering if he expected her to get undressed or do something sexy for him.  She didn’t.  She just laid there, waiting.

When he came back a few seconds later he had two bottles of water in his hands.  He flashed a subtle grin and turned off the lights other than one that was in the bathroom, leaving just enough light to set the mood.  Although she wasn’t exactly sure what type of mood it was.  As much as she wanted him, the circumstances had turned out pretty strange.

Putting the waters on the table, he climbed onto the bed and sprawled out beside her—all five-foot-whatever of his sexy, masculine frame.  She wanted to touch him—everywhere.  He propped himself up on one elbow and just looked her over.  His eyes were screaming—come here­—but she was having a hard time making a move.  It had been so long since she’d actually had sex for enjoyment.  How sad was that?  She hadn’t even realized how bad it had been until that very moment.

“Are you having seconds thoughts?” she asked him.

He shook his head no.  “Are you?”

She shook her head no too.  “Are we over-thinking this?”

 

JC smirked softly.  That’s exactly what was happening.  Leaning in, he smiled and said, “Yeah, I think so,” just before kissing her—this time the way he really wanted to.  It was hungry and passionate and needy.  He didn’t fight the desire to touch her any longer, either, as he let his hand slide to her waist, his fingers immediately seeking out the warmth of her skin underneath her shirt.  She felt even better than he thought she would—soft yet firm.  It was the perfect combination. 

His heart was beating all the way up into his throat as he carefully slipped his hand up her rip cage, his body rolling towards her, his leg tangling with her legs.  Damn, she felt nice.  All over—nice.  He was so affected by her, it was crazy.  He was in pain practically.  There was definitely no turning back now, not on his part, anyway.

Both of her hands found way to his hair, the bottom arm of hers finagling it’s way underneath him.  It only opened her up to him even more.  He was practically lying on top of her.  Her touch was amazing.  She was practically holding him captive against her—not that it was necessary—their kiss had turned so needy. 

Without any more hesitation, he straddled her frame and bent in to kiss her neck.  He intended on covering every inch of her with kisses.  He really hoped she didn’t have any early morning appointments, because he definitely had no plans to rush.

Her hands slipped down from his neck to his back, as he planted soft and moist kisses down her neckline.  She was wearing too much and something needed to go.  She must have been thinking the same, because just as the thought entered his mind, she reached for his shirt, obviously wanting it out of the way.

Lifting up his torso, he happily obliged, stripping it away and tossing it carelessly.  He knew he was smiling when he playfully pulled at her top.  “Your turn,” he said, realizing that he’d totally raised his eyebrows at her when he’d said it.

 

 

Ellie was completely smitten by him.  She enjoyed his bare torso, no doubt there, and she had absolutely no problems with what he was asking from her.  She lifted her body just enough so he could pull away her tee.  Then she almost laughed at the look of pain he gave her when he realized there was a tank top on underneath.  He didn’t immediately remove it.  Instead, her back relaxed into the mattress once more, he pushed up the thin material until her stomach was completely exposed, then he kissed a line down the center of her abdomen.

It all felt so amazing.  It was then Ellie realized she was shaking.  It wasn’t nerves.  It was excitement.  She hoped that he wouldn’t get the wrong idea.

When he looked up at her again, she realized that he’d noticed it too.  But instead of bringing attention to it, he shadowed her body once more with his strong frame and kissed her the way she so loved to be kissed—absolutely mind-blowing.

Then, she realized, he was reaching for the sheets underneath her and maneuvering them down until their bodies were inside of them instead of on top of them.  It was probably one of the most considerate things he could have done at that moment and it only made her want to open up to him even more.

“JC,” she said breathily, as he’d just barely given her the chance to speak. 

“I love the way you say my name,” he told her, his lips pressing into to her neck, just below her ear.  His fingers were gently toying with the lacey strap of her tank.  She wanted it off.  She wanted it all off.

“I don’t think I’ve ever wanted someone so bad in my life,” she confessed.

“Me either,” he agreed, this time burying his face into the top of her cleavage.  Even through the midst of her sexual intoxication, she had a hard time believing that one.  Luckily she could care less at the moment.

“I really need this,” she told him, just as his head dipped under the sheets.  She barely felt the cool air against her breasts as he lifted her shirt and circled his tongue around her nipple.  She didn’t even try to keep her eyes open as the warmth of his mouth closed around her.  The sensation was too much, as he worked such a sensitive part of her body with both skill and desire.  It was a direct pathway to other wanting parts of her body.  If only he knew what that did to her.  Or maybe he did… 

When his lips returned to hers, she found herself kissing him senselessly.  If he couldn’t tell how desperately she wanted him by that point, he was clearly delusional.  Of course, she was sure that wasn’t the case.

“I think there’s some things that we need to get rid of,” JC whispered, panting practically, as he sat up, the sheets falling down his back and a good portion of her now exposed.  She wasn’t complaining.  In fact, if he could read body language as good as he thought he could—he could—then she was so close that she could hardly stand it.  Already he knew this was going to be the sweetest release ever—for them both.

He was pretty much feeling the same as she looked.   He guessed he was just better at hiding it than she was.

Carefully he maneuvered her out of her jeans and did the same for himself.  Then he settled his knees between her legs and covered them back up with just the top sheet.  Instantly her arms and legs tangled around him.  She was already writhing against him, the heat coming from her enough to penetrate through what little bits of clothing they both had left.  There was nothing more that he wanted than to know her in ever sense of the word.  Very soon he would make that a reality.

But first he wanted to play with her just a little bit longer.

Supporting his weight with both of his arms, he kissed her slowly, letting his lips linger against her.  Her hands were around his back and she was trying to bring his body closer, but he wasn’t giving in right then.  He had other ideas.

Ellie was on the verge of begging as JC finally slipped her sheer tank top over her head.  She’d never been so turned on—ever.  This was amazing.  Was this how sex was really supposed to be?

He trailed down her side with his mouth, planting kisses over her hip and then down her thigh.  His fingers delicately traced along the leg of her skimpy underwear.  There wasn’t a lot to them, but she was figuring that JC was about to take them off her anyway.

It was only a few seconds later when he hooked his fingers at each leg.  She lifted up so he could slip them off, and just like that she was completely nude and spread before him, completely open and vulnerable. 

His lips touched the crease of her inner thigh and her breath was so heavy it felt like she had bricks on her chest.  When his hot breath touched her in the most sensual of ways only seconds later, she couldn’t help but moan in appreciation.  Then, when his lips and tongue followed, she’d thought she’d died and gone to heaven.  It had been so long since anyone had pleasured her in such a way.  Did he know?  Did he have any idea?

It only took a minute for her to be drowning in the overwhelming sensation of seduction.  She was so, so close, and by the noises that were coming out of her, he definitely knew it.

That’s when he stopped, kissing his way back up her body.  When he was close enough, she touched her lips to his ear and whispered, “I wanna taste you like you tasted me.”

For some reason she thought he might protest, but obviously that wasn’t the case as he rolled onto his back and brought her with him. 

 

  

JC watched with fascination as she explored his flesh, kissing her way down his stomach.  The anticipation for what was to come had built up to such a point that his insides were totally tense—in the best way possible.  He shuttered as her hand brushed down his erection, just before she took the time to completely remove the last of his undergarments.

Her eyes locked with his for just a brief moment—not the slightest bit timid and no hints of second thoughts.  Then she threw the sheet over her body and his, leaving him with only the feel of her warm mouth on the most sensitive part of him.

Wow… was the only word that came to mind.  It felt so damn amazing that his toes were stiffening. 

Really, he’d wanted her pretty damn bad since he’d first set eyes on her, but he’d had no idea it would turn out this incredible.  No idea whatsoever.  Without even realizing it, he was breathing hard and panting and saying something crazy like “oh my fucking god you’re amazing.”

When she came up for air she had a grin on her pretty little face.  “Where’s the condoms?” she whispered.

JC was too busy trying to stop his eyes from rolling to the back of his head.  It took him a second to respond.  “Left drawer,” he pointed an arm that direction.

She slid off of him to get it and he was slammed with the perfect view of her silhouette from behind—the delicate muscles along her spine, the sexy indention of her waist and the curve of her magnificent ass.  Next thing he knew he’d rolled up behind her and pressed every part of him against her.

“You are about the hottest thing I’ve ever seen,” he was speaking into her ear, his hand smoothing up the front of her stomach before tenderly cupping her breast.

She seemed to enjoy his words and his touch, as she pushed back into him.  He literally groaned at the soft feel of her rear against his amazingly sensitive erection.  That was it.  He couldn’t wait one single second more.  He maneuvered himself out from behind her and she automatically fell back into the bed.  Obviously she was completely on the same page, as she held up the condom, waiting for him to do the honor.

 

JC’s body was perfect in every sense of the word, more so than she imagined.  If she’d thought he looked great before; well, he felt even better.  As he finally sheathed himself, she knew it wouldn’t take much before she was completely slipping over the edge.  She was convinced.  This would definitely be the best sex ever.  No question about it.

When he finally eased his way inside of her, it was like all her sexual needs had been away on an incredibly long vacation and had just finally come home.  She couldn’t describe how remarkable it felt.  All she could do was breath and pant and enjoy how wonderful his body felt joined with hers.

He leaned into her ear, kissing the side of her face, as his strokes were long and slow and amazingly sensuous.  Matching his rhythm, she pressed her palm to his cheek until she’d matched his lips against hers.  The intensity only grew, as their bodies were connected in every way possible.

For as long as she could, she rode out the wave of pleasure, not ready for it to end.  Her hands roamed up and down his sturdy frame—his muscular back and arms, his slender rib cage, the curve as his sexy ass—all the while her body was climbing the hill of ecstasy, the spring inside of her winding tighter and tighter.

JC must have sensed it was coming, as it finally hit, his kiss hard and passionate and deep.  She felt like she could just swallow him up, as her body twitched and convulsed with a pleasure so deep it was almost too much to bare.

It was only seconds into her own release when she felt he was right along with her.  His lips parted from hers just for a second, only to breath a silent curse.  He grunted and moaned and made the sexiest damn noises she’d ever heard come out of a man.

Even when it was over, it still wasn’t over, as the pulse of her orgasm continued with subtle, slowly-dying jolts of ecstasy.

JC didn’t move away from her, not right away.  He brushed her hair from her face and looked her right in the eye.  “Holy shit,” he gasped.  “That was incredible.”

Ellie was too worked up to speak.  She wanted to tell him that she agreed, but her voice seemed to be missing in action.

He grinned and kissed the corner of her mouth.  “When can we do that again?” he asked.

She found the energy to giggle as he rolled off her, to her side.  “I have to go,” she said.

Instantly he looked confused.

“I don’t want to,” she clarified, “but my mom is here—at my house.”

“Oh, that’s why I couldn’t come to you.”

Brushing her hand down his cheek, she nodded.  “Exactly.”  Then she kissed him again, her hand slipping around his side, under his arm.  His strong grip curled around her in response, his hand coming up behind her and tangling in her hair. 

“You’re amazing, Ellie.  I mean that.  I’m not just saying that because of what just happened.”

With a smirk, she grinned.  “I believe you.  It wouldn’t make much sense for you to sweet talk me now.”

JC was smiling, as well.  “I really do hope we can do this again—soon.” 

Not wanting to, but realizing she had to, she started to slip out of his hold.  “I have a strong feeling that we will.”  Then she climbed out of bed, got dressed, said a quick goodbye and went back home, knowing that she was going to sleep really, really good for the next few hours, until her mom woke up.

© BrandyRae 2008

Chapter 6 by BrandyRae
The Good Neighbor by BrandyRae
Chapter 6

Early the next afternoon Ellie took her mom to lunch—a quaint little bistro, quiet and far away from paparazzi land.  Then afterward they did a little shopping.  It was early evening by the time they got home.  She hadn’t stopped thinking about JC once the entire day.  She’d slept better than she had in weeks, or maybe even months.  She didn’t dare think about all the wonderful, sensual moments they’d shared, because it brought an instant smile to her face and probably made her look way too guilty.

Although, she didn’t feel guilty about it at all.  In fact, she was already thinking about when they might be able to sneak in a repeat.

When they finally pulled onto Ellie’s street, it was difficult NOT to realize the hefty SUV in JC’s driveway.  Her eyes seemed to gravitate towards his home whenever possible.  Nevertheless, the vehicle looked pretty manly.  For some reason that comforted her.  She wasn’t sure how she’d react if he were to be entertaining female guests this quickly after their night together.  Sure, they had absolutely no relationship whatsoever, but she didn’t want him to turn out to be a total scum bag either.

You just never know in this town.  Ellie had encountered all types of men and woman over the course of her time in La La Land, as she sometimes liked to call it.  Nothing surprised her anymore.  Definitely not celebrities thinking their right next to God or something.  Not that she was insinuating JC felt that way, but you just never know.

At this point, she was going to keep thinking the best of him, because so far that’s what he’d given her.

She had just stepped inside the door when her phone beeped.  Ellie hadn’t heard a word from JC all day.  Maybe she was telepathically signaling for him to contact her, with all the thoughts that had just ran through her mind.

Her hopes were confirmed as true, once she finally had a chance to set down her purse and check her phone.  It was him.  The message simply said, Hi.

Why did that make her stomach dip a little?  It was just one simple word.  Okay, maybe it was because it clearly meant he was thinking about her.  She’d been thinking about him all day.  Next thing she knew she was practically heading out the door. 

“Mom, I’m going to run across the street for a minute.  I’ll be right back.”  Even if she only got to see him for one minute, that would be enough.

Her mom just kind of looked at her funny.  “Okay,” she said.  Thankfully her mom had never been one to question things too much.

Ellie was quick-stepping it across the street.  She got up to his door and immediately rang the doorbell.  It didn’t take him long to answer, but when he did he was kind of a mess, in army green cargo pants and a plain—somewhat tight—white, t-shirt.  His feet were bare and his hair was flat against the top of his head, his jaw darkly stubbled. 

She just knew it spelled trouble when she found the whole look extremely appealing.

JC just kind of looked at her funny, making him only that much more irresistible.  Dammit.

“Hi,” he said sort of goofily, obviously surprised with her visit.

Of course, Ellie was suddenly at a loss for words, realizing she had absolutely no reason for showing up at his door unannounced.  “I—” was all she could seem to get out.

With a grin, he opened the door for her to step inside.  “Don’t tell me you locked yourself out again?” he remarked with an obvious tease, closing the door behind her and bringing a hand up to scratch the back of his head.

She shut her eyes briefly, subtly shaking her head, irritated with herself.  Then she forced herself to look at him.  “I don’t know why I’m here,” she admitted honestly.

JC leaned an elbow against the door and let the side of his head fall against his fist, crossing one foot in front of the other.  “I can think of a reason,” he remarked, his eyes full of suggestion.

Her eyes closed again, as she could feel the flush spread to her cheeks.  “Dammit,” she whispered.

“Oh, it’s the new neighbor!” she heard another distinctly and somewhat familiar male voice coming in from the other room and immediately opened her eyes to watch as Justin Timberlake slid down the hallway in his socks, almost like one of those silly cartoon characters that had stepped on a banana peel.  He was looking just as relaxed as JC in baggy gray sweats and an equally baggy t-shirt.  She’d never seen him so casual before.  His hair was super short, but his jaw was shaded with dark blond hair, like someone who hadn’t shaved in maybe a week.

Their eyes locked and his expression changed instantaneously.  “Hey, I know you…”

Ellie confirmed it with a slight nod.  They’d actually met more than once, although she hadn’t exactly said so when she’d met JC that first night.  “Hello Justin,” she grinned shyly. 

The slipping had stopped, as he’d now regained his footing, and was standing just a step away.  “Sorry to hear about—”  Then he stopped and looked at JC.  “This is—” but he didn’t finish that sentence either.  Of course Ellie was really starting to wonder what exactly JC had told him.  Well, that was pretty obvious.  No doubt, JC had confided in his friend what had happened between he and Ellie the night before.  “Never mind.  I’m going back in the other room.”  He turned quick on his heels and then turned to look over his shoulder.  “Nice seeing you, Ellie.”

“You too,” she remarked with a shy wave.

JC looked at her kind of curiously.  “I thought you said you’d only met one time at a charity event?”

“Once, twice, six or seven… I’ve lost track of how many different celebrities I’ve ran into at different social events.”

His expression softened.  “Sorry, I didn’t mean to drudge up bad memories.”

She pushed out a smile.  “You didn’t.”

“So your mom’s still here?” he asked.  He’d stopped leaning against the door when Justin had appeared.  Now he seemed to be inching closer.

Ellie nodded.  “Till Wednesday.”

“Where’s she live?”

“Up north,” Ellie answered.

“That narrows it down,” he remarked.

There sentences were short, and Ellie realized that was probably because they were both too busy staring at one another’s lips, no doubt thinking thoughts that had nothing to do with the conversation.  She knew she was, anyway.  “Just outside Sacramento,” Ellie finally explained.

“Oh, well that’s not far.”

“Yeah, I guess I better get back over there.”  She was thinking that her minute was probably up and, frankly, she had no honest reason to stay any longer.  Well, she had no real reason to have stopped by in the first place, but there was no point in back-tracking.

JC smirked, seemingly amused.  “So, that’s it?  You just came by to say hi?”

Ellie shrugged.

“You just needed to see my handsome face again? Make sure it’s real?”

Ellie rolled her eyes and let a quiet smirk sneak out of her voice.  “That must have been it,” she replied with sarcasm.

“It’s real,” he stated simply.  Then he leaned in and kissed her, just as smooth as every other time their lips had met.  There had not been one single awkward thing about it.  Kissing JC was probably one of the most natural things she’d every experienced.

Dammit!

When he pulled back, she opened her eyes just in time to see the grin across his handsome face.  It only made her want to kiss him again—and again, and again, and again.  But she didn’t.  “You better go before your mom starts to think you’re having an affair with your sexy neighbor,” he spouted off.

Ellie was smiling and shaking her head at the same time.  “You’re awful cocky today,” she told him.

“Oh, you have no idea,” he replied, suggestion laced in his tone once again, a thin smile across his face.

“Damn you,” Ellie whispered.  “I have to go.”

JC nodded.  “I know.  I told you.  You better go.”  But if anyone’s body language had ever said, I don’t want you to go, his was it. 

He was completely playing with her, and before she’d thought to stop herself, she’d grabbed the pocket of his pants and pulled him close again.  “Just kiss me one more time,” she said softly.

He did, grinning wide as his mouth took over her own. 

Dammit.  She loved kissing this man.  It was good.  He was good.

Shit.

After a moment not nearly long enough, he braced his hand at her jaw, his thumb trailing across her skin, and pulled back.  “You really better go, because if you stay much longer, I’ll be kicking Justin out and carrying you off to my bedroom.”  His voice had turned husky and deep and sexy and it was just about the best thing she’d yet to hear come out of his mouth.

But Ellie couldn’t control herself.  She desperately needed to touch him.  So, without much control, she slipped a hand to his waist, just underneath his shirt, and indulged in him one more time.

JC didn’t deny her, participating fully in the dance of their passionate lip-lock, his hands at the small of her back and his body pressed up against her.

Then, abruptly, he pulled back.  “Okay, I’m not fucking kidding.  You better go.”  Her expression must have looked a little hurt because he was immediately explaining himself.  “Because you’re making me fucking crazy,” he whispered.

Ellie nodded.  She understood, for sure.  Besides, her one minute had turned into ten, and even though her mom probably wouldn’t ask, she was more than likely getting curious.  “You’re right.  Sorry.”

He pressed a kiss to her cheek and stepped back.  “Call me later.  I’ll be up late,” he said.

With another nod, she agreed, said a soft “bye” and was out the door.

 

JC didn’t immediately join Justin in the living room.  Instead he went into the bathroom to splash some cool water on his face, hoping that might calm his hormones.

Did she have any idea what she did to him?  Obviously not.

He was still a little worked up when he sat down in his favorite leather chair in front of the TV.  Justin was playing Xbox Live without him.  “You do realize just exactly who you’re getting involved with, right?” the man asked, not bothering to look over at JC.

JC nodded first, even though Justin wasn’t looking.  “Yeah.”

“The divorce is going to be messy.  That’s not something you want to get caught up in.” 

“Why?  You know details?”

Justin did look over at JC then, just for a minute.  It was a look of warning—for sure.  “Just what I’ve heard, which is probably all bullshit, but the guy is worth billions.  You know she’s going after a chunk of that.”

“I guess.  Who wouldn’t?”

“A saint, maybe,” Justin remarked. 

“What?  Is she a gold digger or something?”

Justin shook his head and then shrugged.  “She doesn’t seem like it.  Honestly, every time I’ve seen her she was always very, very nice… like nicer than someone you’d think is married to such a rich asshole.”

JC smirked, “Some people might call you a rich asshole.”

Justin stopped his game for that, shooting JC the most irritated look.  “Minus the asshole part,” Justin remarked, and his eyes went back to the TV.


It was after eleven when Ellie finally settled down in bed.  The evening had turned out a little crazy.  First off, when she left JC’s house she’d been met by Gabby in the middle of the street.  The woman had refrained from asking Ellie why she was obviously coming from JC’s house, but it was obvious that she wasn’t pleased—as if she’d staked her claim on him or something.  Please!  Instead Gabby had asked some idiotic question about what to look for when hiring security, like Ellie would know anything about that!  Of course, when Gabby didn’t get any of the “dirt” she was really looking for, she—thankfully—let Ellie finish her return home.

Ellie had only been in the door maybe twenty minutes when her attorney called.  Did lawyers ever take time off?  She didn’t think so.  Apparently there were some new developments and they needed to meet tomorrow.  Not something Ellie was looking forward to.  She wondered how much it had cost her just for him to call her and tell her that they needed to meet.

Nothing else major had happened, but Ellie’s mood just wasn’t all that great.  Even now, as she was looking for JC’s number on her cell phone, she wasn’t all that happy.  She wanted to talk to him, but she just felt kind of down.

Hopefully his conversation would change that.

It rang three times before it picked up, but she was immediately disappointed as she found out it was only his answering machine.  “Hello.  You have reached JC Chasez.  Please leave a message and I will try and call you back.”  Then there was a sort of strange sounding “Beeeep.”

“JC.  It’s Ellie.  I guess you aren’t home.  I’ll just talk to you another time.”

She was two seconds from hanging up when she heard laughter—his laughter.  Damn him.  “I’m here,” he chuckled.  “I honestly didn’t think you’d fall for that.”

Ellie wasn’t really in the laughing mood though.  “Oh, aren’t you the funny one.”

“Well, I thought it was kinda funny.”

“Yeah, I get that.”

“Okay, did I do something to piss you off?  Are you mad because I had to kick you out of my house earlier?” 

Ellie sank deeper into her pillow.  “No, I’m just not in a very good mood.”

“Oh.  Well, do you need me to come crawl through your window and cheer you up?” he asked.

Now that made Ellie smile.  “Oh, that is so tempting.”

“Just say the word.  I’ll hop right over.”

Ellie had to smirk at his efforts.  So far, they were working.  “I ran into Gabby after I left your house,” she told him.

He was immediately groaning and she could practically see the look of disgust on his face through the phone.  “So, how bad was it?  Did she have enough decency to cover up her watermelon tits? Or have you been scarred for life…  You know, maybe if they’d been done right, but, clearly, as I’ve seen the woman in clothes that I’d rather not have to see ANYONE in… Okay, well, maybe they’d be okay on a select few, but regardless, she’s let me know without me ever asking, just how bad a boob job she has.”

Ellie chuckled softly.  She liked the silly side of JC.  He was totally rambling and it was adorable.  Who would have ever thought he could have so much knowledge on their neighbor’s botched boobs?  “I had no idea," she replied, and then found herself asking, "Did you have a lot of sugar today?”

“Um, I don’t think so,” he replied.  “I don’t know.  Is there sugar in Kool-Aid?”

Ellie was chuckling even more.  “Okay, okay.  I get it,” she told him.  “It’s working.  You cheered me up.”

“Good, and just for the record, I swear I have not done a whole thesis on Gabby’s boobs or anything.  I think I just made myself sound pretty pathetic with all that I just said.”

“Well, I'm glad that you haven't been studying for the test or anything,” Ellie replied with a giggle.  “You know, I would’ve never expected this side of you, after meeting such a serious guy that first night I got locked out of my house.”

“Oh…” he was already defending himself, she could tell just by his tone.  “You can’t be too cautious these days.  I don’t know if you know this, but I used to be a part of this insanely huge pop group called *NSYNC.  I still get hounded by crazy fans.  No joke." 

Their conversation compared to a well-played ping pong match—words kept bouncing back and forth and back and forth, with absolutely no effort.  “Did you worry that’s what I was?  Some crazy fan trying to stake you out?”

“Yes,” JC replied mock-seriously.  “I thought you had moved into that house just so you could try and get a peek at me in my underwear.” 

“That doesn’t sound like too bad an idea.”

“I know.  I have to be careful of that stuff,” he continued.

"Although, I think if I really wanted to sneak a peek, I'd rather it be sans underwear."

"Oh.  Oh...  I see..."  If she was guessing right, she'd kind of shocked him with that one.  "You're just gonna go for it like that. Okay.  I can handle that."

His playfulness made her giggle, but finally she managed to control herself, letting out a lengthy sigh instead.  “Oh… Why did I fly my mom out for a visit?”

“Because you’re going through a rough time in your life and you probably need her?” he answered immediately.

He was just on tonight—sharp and quick-witted.  “Pretty much,” Ellie answered.  “So were you hung over this morning?”  She decided it was time for a change in subject.

“This morning?  I didn’t wake up until noon, but, um, no…  I was not hung over.  Did I seem severely intoxicated when we were—umm—enjoying each other?”

Ellie was smiling so big she felt like her lips were going to jump off her face.  That was a nice way to put it, to say the least.  Just the reminder of what they’d shared made her warm all over.  She’d had no idea that talking on the phone with JC could be so confusing to her insides—she felt both fulfilled and wanting, all at the same.  “No, not really.”

“Okay, good.  So, Ellie, there is a reason that I wanted you to call me tonight.”

 “Okay…”  She responded, just a bit unsure.

“Um, I really don’t know much about you, other than the fact that you’re a great kisser and you’re not too bad between the sheets.”

If she’d been drinking at that moment, she probably would have spit the contents across the room.  Luckily that wasn’t the case, but his words were just as shocking, nevertheless.  “Just not too bad?” she asked.

“I plea the fifth.”

“Are you afraid you might hurt my feelings?” she asked, knowing full-well that was not the case.  She had a good enough read on him to know he’d definitely enjoyed all of their intimate time spent together.

“Um, no… I’m afraid I might embarrass myself.  Anyway… so, on to Ellie.  Tell me something, please…  Oh, and make it something that does not involve your soon-to-be ex-husband.”

Did he not like hearing about that?  Hmmm… “Well, in my former life I actually had a career.”

“That’s a good start,” JC remarked.  “Keep going, I need more detail.”

Ellie chuckled softly and let the conversation fall into place.  She had no problems talking about herself or her former life.  She’d developed one of the hottest dating websites on the Internet, and then sold it for millions.  Now she had absolutely nothing to do with it and it had sort of turned into a monster, but that was all part of her past.  She had no regrets. 

She’d met James through that deal.  It was the deal that had brought her to L.A. some five-plus years ago.  Oh, how her entire world had changed since then.  She tried not to go into that with JC, though.  For some reason, he didn’t want to talk about it.  She was okay with that.  She didn’t want to talk about it either.

By the time she finally hung up the phone, they’d talked for nearly two hours.  It was one a.m. again and Ellie was tired.  It didn’t take much effort to drift off to sleep.  It was the second night in a row that she was able to relax…. all thanks to JC.  There seemed to be a pattern forming.  She wasn’t sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing.


The next morning Ellie dropped her mom off at the spa for a little pampering and then headed off to Stephen Blake’s office.  They had a ten a.m. meeting and, frankly, she was a little nervous about it.  What if James’ attorneys had already made some sort of an offer to tie this thing up quickly?  Or what if they were contesting what had been filed?  She didn’t want much.  Just what the prenup had stated she would get.  Okay, so it was about 25 million, but figuring he was worth billions, that was a drop in the bucket for him.

She figured the 25, plus the five she already had tucked away, would be plenty to live off of, and also enough to invest in some new business ventures that would keep her comfortable for the rest of her life.

Of course she already had the 3.5 million dollar home he’d purchased in her name.  It was small—3.5 million in the Hollywood Hills doesn’t buy you a whole lot—but it was plenty of space for just her.  Besides, she wouldn’t dare think of moving now.  Not since she’d started conveniently rendezvousing with JC.  She really didn’t know what else to call it.  Clearly, it was far from being called a relationship—other than one of friendship.  Okay, friendship with a few perks here and there.  But really that’s all she could give at the moment anyway.

When she finally sat down across from Stephen, her nervousness must have been written across her face.

“Ellie…” She’d asked him during their first meeting to please call her by her first name.  “Thanks for coming in on such short notice.”

“No problem.”  She sat across from the young J. Crew looking attorney (although she was sure his suit was much more pricey than that).  His dark hair laid perfectly styled and his suit was pressed precisely.  Of course, she expected no less considering the price she was paying. 

“We found out yesterday that James fired his team at Hadley, Williams and Blaine.”

She wasn’t quite sure what that meant.  “Okay…” she remarked, waiting for him to continue as she perched her body stiffly in the leather chair, her legs crossed and her arms folded neatly but nervously in her lap.

“We think he’s going to replace them with probably the most cut-throat firm in town.”  The look across his face was stoic to say the least. 

Ellie immediately frowned.  “He’s going to fight what he agreed to in the prenup?” she asked, her nerves sneaking out through her tone.  “That’s all I want.  I’m not trying to break the bank or anything.”  That would have been pretty tough to do, considering.

Stephen leaned in and tried to look as comforting as possible, but it didn’t work very well.  “At this point, we really don’t know what he’s trying to do.  What’s important is that you be very careful with your actions.  This new firm, I’m sure, will be hiring private investigators and probably having you followed.  My guess is that he’s afraid you’re going to start talking about things he doesn’t want to be talked about.  This is his way to try and scare you in to being quiet.”

Ellie’s posture visibly fell.  “I wasn’t going to talk about any of that.  That’s just not me,” she defended.

“I know that and you know that, and deep down I’m sure he knows that.  But he’s scared.  You could really damage his credibility with just some of the things you’ve already shared with me.  So I can only imagine what’s going through his mind right now.  Just be aware that even a quick conversation with the wrong person could turn into an entire smear campaign on his part… and we both know the fascination the media has had in regards to your relationship.  This is going to hit and it’s going to hit hard.  You might want to consider hiring someone in public relations.  If you want me to refer you, I can.”

“Are you serious?”  She was no one special.  She didn’t need to hire a PR specialist!

He nodded.  “Prepare yourself.  It’s going to get ugly… but I assure you, we will win in the end.  I always win.”


By the time Ellie sat down in the driver’s seat of her luxury sedan, she was completely and utterly depressed.  For a moment she just sat there in the warmth of her leather seat with the windows up and the sun shining brightly through the windshield.  The car wasn’t on and the chaos outside was muffled.  She was back in the bubble and for a second she wanted to stay that way.  “God, why is this happening to me?” she muttered softly to herself.

Then she sat up, let out a deep breath, and turned the key, ready to face whatever happened next.  She could not live in a bubble any longer, especially a bubble inside of her car.  That was just ridiculous. 

As soon as the motor of her car came to life, the radio poured out of the speakers.  She’d left it on, like she so often does, but it was the song that got her attention.  Only because for once she actually soaked in part of the lyrics.

It was Mariah Carey’s new song, “Touch My Body” and it was the words “secret rendezvous” that caught her attention.  She sat there and listened to the entire song.  She couldn’t stop shaking her head because it seemed to be written specifically for her and her feelings toward JC.  Damn.

How the hell was she going to tell him what her attorney had just told her? She was already counting down the hours till her mom left the next day so they could have a replay of what had happened two nights before.  They’d already discussed having dinner the following evening.

This was terrible.  He was the one thing that made her feel better and now her attorney was telling her that, basically, she shouldn’t be seen with ANYONE, because it could be twisted and misprinted in the press.

Dammit.  Dammit.  Dammit. 

Irritated, she smacked the top of the steering wheel with her open palm and then finally decided it was time to leave, pulling out of her parking space and cautiously maneuvering out of the lot.

She had more than an hour to kill before her mom would be ready so she made a detour to the grocery store to pick up a few items, but before she got out of her car she reached for her cell phone to call JC.  The thought occurred that maybe they weren’t really close enough for her to be able to call and tell him what had just happened, but honestly she didn’t care.  She wanted to tell him anyway.

When he finally answered after four rings, with a groggy “hello?”, she realized instantly it was still kind of early for him.  He’d been asleep.

“Sorry to wake you,” she said.  “It’s Ellie.”

“I know.”  His voice was extra deep—and sexy.  Damn—again.  “Did you manage to free up some time to come see me?”

Oh, did she wish.  “No, actually, it’s the opposite.”

“Huh?”

She imagined those words had woke him up.  “I can’t see you, JC.  I can’t see anyone.  I just got finished with my attorney and I’m probably being followed.”  Her level of unhappiness was climbing, clearly coming through in her tone, because the more she spoke about it, the worse she felt.  “If I make one wrong move I’ll probably be all over the tabloids, being made to look like the whore of the century.  I am just so upset right now… I can’t even begin to tell you how mad I am.”

 

 

JC sat up in bed.  He was wide awake now.  Of course, his first instinct was to tell her to calm down and then for her to come over and talk.  He was good at listening.  Too bad that was exactly what she was telling him she couldn’t do.  “Just take a deep breath,” he told her instead.  “Where are you?”

“In my car.  In the parking lot at Whole Foods.”

“Probably not the safest place if you’re looking to stay out of the tabloids,” he told her.  “Paparazzi stake out that place on a regular basis hoping they’ll get pictures of Jessica Alba carrying her groceries to the car, or some shit.”

Audibly she groaned.  “I wasn’t exactly thinking about that when I pulled in.  I was thinking about getting some fresh vegetables for dinner.”

“Look,” he said, “Just turn your car back on and come home.  We’ll figure this out.  I know a lot about this kind of stuff.”

“I can’t.  I have to pick up my mom at the salon.”

In JC’s mind Ellie didn’t need to be running all over town, upset.  It occurred to him that he was probably more concerned than he would normally be, considering they really were just starting to get to know each other, but it didn’t matter.  His feelings were his feelings.  There was no denying them. 

Unfortunately, he also realized that the direction his feelings were guiding him was the exact direction her attorney had just told her not to go.  But there had to be a way for them to see each other, at least a little bit?  “You sure you’re okay to be driving?” he asked in the midst of all the crazy thoughts racing through his head.  It pissed him off just a little that he cared so damn much, but he really liked whatever it was that was happening between them.  He really didn’t want it to end already.

“Yeah.  I’m fine.  I’ll be fine,” she said, not exactly the most convincingly.

“Okay.  Call me later.  At this point, I think that’s still safe.”

“Thanks for listening,” she told him.  “I’ll call you tonight.”

“It’ll be alright.  Everything’s going to be fine.”  He’d tried his best to sound confident, but it was tough considering he didn't really believe it himself.

© BrandyRae 2008

Chapter 7 by BrandyRae
The Good Neighbor by BrandyRae
Chapter 7

By the time Ellie and her mom returned home it was just after one in the afternoon.  They’d picked up fast food on the way back—something Ellie rarely did—and sat down in the kitchen to eat and talk.  If there was one thing Ellie cherished about her mom, it was being able to talk to the woman about anything.  Nancy McCray was one of the most open-minded individuals Ellie knew.  She liked to think that her mom’s candor and honesty had instilled the same traits in her.  As far as Ellie could tell, she’d turned out pretty good, so whatever her mom had done, it must’ve worked.

Two bites into her cheeseburger and the woman was already putting the greasy thing down and giving her daughter input.  “Well, sweetheart, I know you’re upset, thinking about how things MIGHT turn out, but I think it’s pretty simple.  If your attorney says that you need to keep a low profile, then that’s what you need to do… just wait this whole thing out.”

Ellie’s lip instantly curled into a snarl.  “Mom, I’m going through a divorce.  The last thing I want to do is lay low and stay home all the time.  You’ve been through it.  You know that.”

“Yes, but you don’t want to look like Britney Spears after her divorce either,” Nancy shot back, picking up the burger and biting into it again.

Ellie shook her head at the thought.  “Well, no, of course not.”  Britney was a sweet girl who’d been through terrible press.  That was the last thing Ellie needed or wanted.  Of course, she had a lot more sense than that!  Besides, it was only Ellie’s marriage that had caused the media interest.  The marriage was ending so hopefully the media interest would too. 

Although, Kevin Federline still seemed to draw media attention and he and Britney had been divorced for quite a while now.  But they did have children together.  Thank God she and James didn’t have kids!  Oh, shit… Why was she comparing her relationship to Britney and Kevin!  Ridiculous.  Her mind was going haywire!

“Well, the other option would be to just settle for whatever he wants to give you and end it quickly.  I mean, do you really need twenty-five million dollars?”

Ellie’s brow scrunched between her eyes.  “Well, no, I don’t necessarily NEED it… But, mom, it’s the point.  Do you know how many opportunities came my way while I was married?—That James insisted I did not take because he did not a wife that worked.  How egotistical and controlling and selfish is that?  I could have made more than 25 million over the past five years.  I think it’s only fair that he pay up.”  Her mom opened her mouth to speak, but Ellie just kept going.  “Besides, you know all the other crap he put me through.  I, at least, deserve something!  That’s nothing for him.  He’s worth billions.”  Her mom’s brown eyes were unyielding, as she was clearly waiting for the chance to speak.  Realizing this, Ellie finally gave her the chance.

“Funny, when you first separated you were so set on working things out with him.  What made you change your mind?  Besides the fact that he filed for divorce?”

Ellie opened her mouth, but the sound that came out was sort of a sputter.  Finally she managed,  “Well, yeah, that was the biggest factor.  Obviously James has no plans to work things out.” 

Her mom was just nodding, like she knew there was something else that had helped Ellie move her feelings along.  It was true.  Before she’d met JC, all she could think about was trying to work things out with her ex.  Of course, she’d also been delusional, but that was beside the point.

Ellie finally picked up her crispy chicken sandwich and took a bite.  It was near cold and she didn’t really have much of an appetite, but she knew she needed to eat anyway.  She was forcing down a third bite just as the doorbell rang. 

Her mom popped up before Ellie could get out of her seat.  “I’ll get it.  You eat,” the woman insisted.

“Okay,” Ellie conceded quietly, her mouth half-full. 

She sat there, stewing over the feelings her mom had brought on, and then wondering what the heck was taking so long at the door.  The thought of it being JC flashed inside of her head just two seconds before she heard the sound of his voice.

Damn.  She wasn’t really ready for him to meet her mother.  Too late now!

He came into the kitchen behind her mom, looking as handsome as ever of course, and carrying a zippered, black, leather portfolio.  When their eyes met it made her stomach dip.  Another descriptive word shot to her mind—charming.  It was obviously by the grin on her mother’s face that he’d already charmed the pants off her.  Otherwise, he wouldn’t have made it two steps inside the door.

Trying to look unaffected, Ellie brought her straw to her lips and took a drink of her Cherry Coke.

“Ellie, you didn’t tell me one of the *NSYNC guys lived across the street,” her mom remarked.

The reaction that followed was one that almost caused Ellie’s soda to come out of her nose.  Luckily she stopped the action before it was irreversible. 

JC was setting the leather binder down on the counter and trying not to look amused as he slid onto the stool beside her.

Ellie’s mom returned to her chair across the counter and continued.  “I have two granddaughters,” she explained.  “I took the oldest to two of your concerts.  She’s a freshman in college now.  That was a long time ago.  Great show, though,” Nancy finished with a quirky grin.

God, even her own mother was smitten by the man!

He looked almost bashful as his eyes diverted to the counter, his head dropped as he smoothed a hand down the back of his head.  Then he grinned and looked back over at her mom.  “Thanks,” he said.  Then he turned his attention to Ellie.  “I have a lot of contacts,” he said.  “I brought over some information for you.”

 

 

JC realized that he’d surprised her with his visit.  He hadn’t meant to interrupt their lunch.  If her mom wouldn’t have invited him in, he would have just dropped the stuff and left.  Of course, he’d NEVER expected for her mother to recognize him.  It shouldn’t have surprised him.  It happened all the time.  But considering Ellie hadn’t known who he was until he’d told her, he just assumed the same would be true with her mom.  Not! 

“She needs all the information she can get right now,” Nancy continued.  She’d, of course, introduced herself at the door.  “JC, you must know a lot about the media spotlight.”

“I do,” he remarked.  “I’m pretty lucky in that I don’t have it too bad compared to, well, others in this business.  I try to avoid that madness as much as possible.”  It was true.  The gossip surrounding celebrities and being in the business of entertaining people was the worst part of his job.  He really just wanted people to focus on his talent, but unfortunately it didn’t always work out like that. 

Getting involved with Ellie at this time in her life could really turn out to get ugly for not just her, but for him too.  He was all for keeping things as quiet as possible. 

“Well, I’m sure Ellie appreciates your help,” the woman remarked, scooting out of her chair and scooping what was left of her food into a brown Carl’s Jr. bag.  “I’ve got to go check in.  If you’ll excuse me.”

“It was nice meeting you,” JC said.

“You too,” she replied and vanished from the kitchen.

JC’s eyes immediately slid over to Ellie, who was sitting not even an arm’s length away.  It was way too tempting to reach for her.  He didn’t succumb to the urge, though.  He decided it would probably be best to keep control.

She looked tired.  He realized he’d kept her up late two nights in a row and she didn’t have the advantage of sleeping in like he did.  The exhaustion in her face didn’t take away from her beauty.  Today her brown hair was sort of wind-blown and wavy—sexy, if you asked him.  She didn’t wear a lot of make-up, but he really liked that about her.  Sure, she’d been pretty “made up” that night at the club, but what girl didn’t get all dressed up to go out?  She just seemed so natural.  So real… Why did that word just keep popping in his head whenever he thought about her?  With all the shit surrounding her, it would be easy to think of her as the exact opposite, but he just didn’t.

“Sorry,” she whispered, tossing what was left of her sandwich onto the wrapper that was spread out in front of her.  Then she sighed and sort of curled her lip.  “I’m not hungry.  I tried, but I just have no appetite.”

“It’ll get better,” he said softly.

Her eyes met his then.  She pushed out the best smile she could probably manage—thin and tight lipped.  Then she smirked softly, through her nose.  “My mom was quite smitten with you.”

JC kind of got that.  He wasn’t going to bring it up though.  Fortunately, he realized it was definitely NOT the time to be cocky or arrogant.  “That happens sometimes,” he replied instead.

Ellie was just shaking her head, something he realized she did a lot, like she just couldn’t believe all the things that were happening to her—good or otherwise. 

“She seems very nice,” JC continued.

Ellie nodded, her stare meeting his once again.  “Aren’t you afraid to be seen with me?  If the press got a hold of it, it wouldn’t just be me in the tabloids, it’d be you too.”

JC kept as straight a face as possible.  “I checked the street in both directions.  There were no suspicious looking vehicles or photographers hanging out in trees, as far as I could tell.”

The look she gave him showed that she wasn’t exactly in the mood for his playfulness.  All he’d wanted was a smile. Unfortunately, this time, it didn’t work. 

“Look,” he said, turning his tone to one a little more serious.  “I am good at keeping my private life private.  I can teach you how to do the same.”

Her eyes squinted with uncertainty.  “You think so?”

JC nodded.

“I think I’ll take you up on that offer.”

He grinned.  “You won’t be disappointed,” he said.  Taking one quick glance behind him, he scanned the room to make sure it was clear and then pressed a quick kiss to her cheek.  Then he stood up.  “I better go.  Call me later if you want.  I promise I won’t keep you up so late tonight.”


It was two in the afternoon the following day when Ellie dropped her mom at the airport.  She had enjoyed the visit, but no doubt the woman was a realist and had pretty much made Ellie deal with all of the emotions she’d been trying to shelve.  That being said, Ellie would definitely be happy to have her space again—to be free to live in her own thoughts, whether those thoughts entail wallowing about her divorce or daydreaming about JC, she wouldn’t know exactly until they occurred.  Obviously she preferred the latter.

At this point, she was beginning to feel like maybe just daydreaming about JC was the safest option.  She didn’t want to drag his name through the mud, even if he was convinced that they could see each other “privately.” 

That’s mainly what their brief phone conversation the night before had been about.  He made it very clear that he had no problems keeping whatever it was happening between them on the “down-low.”  Ellie had shared an extremely public relationship with James. Something more private sounded much more enjoyable.  Honestly, she still didn’t understand the media fascination with her and James to begin with.  As soon as the buzz had started—just shortly before the wedding—James constantly threw it in her face how this had never happened with any of his previous relationships.  He had undoubtedly hated the press probably more than anyone.  Made no sense, considering that’s how he made all his money.  He owned one of the biggest mainstream television networks and a handful of extremely successful cable networks.  Funny how he didn’t like to be put in front of the camera himself.

Of course, there were other things that had helped him in his rise to money and power.  She’d rather not get into all of that.

It was after three o’clock when she finally got home.  She debated calling JC to let him know that she was home and alone, but that would have been too desperate, she decided.  So instead she laid down on the couch, turned on the Ellen DeGeneres show—making it just past the part where the comedian dances during her intro—and fell asleep.

 

 

Ellie woke up to find that aside from the light spilling out of the TV, her house was completely dark.  She was also twisted uncomfortably with an arm trapped underneath her and, if she wasn’t mistaken, she had a little drool sneaking out of the corner of her mouth.

Rolling on to her back, she laid motionless for just a moment.  Her exhaustion wasn’t quite gone.  She was still tired.  Letting out a deep breath, she flung her arm over to the nearby table and reached for her cell.  She had one missed call.  She’d been so out of it, the phone hadn’t even woke her.  That reminded her, she needed to call and make sure her mom had made it home safely.

The missed call was from JC.  She wondered why he hadn’t left a message.  But, first, she had to call her mom.  Thankfully that only took about 60 seconds.  Her mom had never been one for long, drawn-out phone conversations.

Next Ellie returned the call to her intriguing neighbor.  He answered with a “Hey…” after just two rings.  It was done in a way that told her he’d definitely known it was her.

“Sorry,” she told him, her voice still a little groggy.  “I’ve been asleep on the couch for like 5 hours.”

“Ooh, that doesn’t sound too comfortable.”

“It wasn’t.  What are you doing?”

He hummed a “Hmmm…” and said, “I’ve been messing around in the studio.  You wanna come over?”

She did, but she felt kind of sweaty and gross.  “Do you think it’s safe?” she asked instead.

“If you’d like I can do a sweep down both sides of the street to check.”

She realized he was being partly cute and partly serious.  It made her smile just a little.  “I think it’ll be okay.  I’m going to take a quick shower first, though.”

“Okay.  Call me as you’re leaving and I’ll meet you at the door.  I don’t usually hear the doorbell when I’m in here.”

“Okay.  See you soon.”

“K.  Bye.”

Ellie took the quickest yet hottest and most satisfying shower possible.  It helped.  She felt a little better.  Instead of just being tired, she felt relaxed.  She didn’t bother getting ready much.  Maybe she should have felt like she needed to impress the man who fascinated her so much, but she honestly didn’t have the energy.  She threw on a  pair of black capri sweat pants with a snug black tee and a matching black hoodie.  You could say that she wanted to make it across the street as discreetly as possible.  She didn’t even bother to blow dry her hair, instead she just sopped up most of the excess moisture with a towel.  She quickly brushed her teeth, slipped on a pair of black flip-flops, grabbed her cell phone and her keys and headed out the door.

He was right.  She didn’t see anything suspicious looking.  After only two strides, she dialed his number and quickly marched across the street.  It was after nine p.m. and their neighborhood seemed dead, just how she liked it.  No signs of Gabby, even, which was always a good thing.

By the time JC answered his phone, Ellie was standing on his doorstep.  He gave her the code to get in and told her to meet him inside the studio.  He was just wrapping up.

She did just as he instructed, locking the front door behind her and making way to the room she’d sought him out in that night she’d got locked out of her house and couldn’t figure out how to work the TV.  She smirked at the thought.  It hadn’t been but a couple weeks.  Here she was already sleeping with the guy…. Something so totally unlike her.

She liked that.

Without knocking, she opened the door and stepped inside.  JC was sitting at the board with huge headphones on his ears.  He must have caught a glimpse of her from the corner of his eye because he was immediately turning around.  Slipping the huge things off, he grinned and said, “Wanna listen?”

“Is it you?”

He nodded.

“Of course.”  She sat down in the chair next to him and took the headphones from him.  The noise in the room instantly muffled.  She watched as he pressed a key on his Apple MacBook and then instantly the song started.  It was a ballad, the tune kind of slow and sexy.  As soon as his voice came in, she was in absolute heaven.  She obviously knew the man could sing, but there was something different about it when he was sitting right beside her.  Closing her eyes, she absorbed the music, knowing that a smile had spread to her face.

Not even a minute into it the whole thing stopped abruptly.  Her eyes popped open and she realized he’d turned it off, just as he was reaching to take the headphones off her ears.  “Just a sneak peek,” he said.  “It’s not done yet.”

“I like it,” she grinned.  “You’re voice is—”

“What?” he asked, a curious smile across face.

“Sexy,” she finally finished.

“That’s one way it’s been described,” he remarked, still smiling.  He placed the earphones on a rack and scooted his chair back.  She got the feeling he didn’t want her in there much longer.

“I don’t get it,” she said, following his lead and standing up.  “Why aren’t you everywhere like Justin is?  I mean, his voice is nice too, but I think yours is much better.”

He’d started his way to the door, but at her words he stopped and turned back around.  She’d been right behind him.  Now she was just in front of him.  “Do you think that you’re a little biased because you know me better than you know him?”

That was an interesting response.  She shrugged and said, “No, I don’t think so.  I think I have a pretty good ear.” 

JC was full-on grinning, probably amused with what she’d said or maybe he was still trying to absorb the compliment she’d just given him.  He leaned in towards her neck and she thought maybe he was going to kiss her, but he didn’t.  “Yeah, it looks pretty good,” he remarked, straightening his posture.  Apparently he’d been examining her ear, not making a move.  “Not too big.  Not too small.  Just average.”

Ellie shook her head and rolled her eyes.  “I’m being serious.”

“I know,” he replied and turned back towards the door.  She followed.  They were almost to the living room when he continued.  “Justin is just more mainstream then I am, and that’s fine with me.  He’s the whole package.  I’d rather march to the beat of my own drum and do what makes me happy.”

She would have never thought it possible to be even more attracted to the man than she had been before, but suddenly she was.  His answer revealed so much about him, something she respected tremendously.

He moved through the living room and into his kitchen, to the fridge.  She was still following behind him.  “Not that Justin doesn’t do what he wants to do.  He does.  And he is ridiculously talented, obviously.”  He pulled out two bottles of water and offered one to her.  She shook her head no and he put it back, keeping the one for himself.  “He just has it… You know?  He has the it.”

He’d finally stopped moving and was just a touch in front  of her, staring down at her intently.  She’d never meant to start a huge comparison conversation.   As far as she was concerned, they were both very different.  There was no comparison.  “I think you have the it,” she told him.

Grinning, he hooked an arm over her shoulders and behind her neck before pulling her around and guiding her back to the living room.  They sat down on the couch, close enough that their legs were touching, and JC set his bottle of water down on a table. 

Ellie had never really spent any time in his living room.  Like the rest of the house, it was fairly masculine.  She couldn’t figure out why he had two plasma TVs though, one right above the other.  JC reached for the remote and turned on the bottom one.  It was the news—CNN.

Then he twisted sort of towards her and said, “Thank you.”

It had been a couple minutes since they’d spoke.  “For what?”

“For all the nice compliments you just gave me.”

She grinned sort of silly-like.  “Oh.  You’re welcome.  It’s the truth.”

He leaned into her, his forehead almost knocking against hers.  “You’re kind of good for my ego,” he said with a smirk.

“For some reason, I think your ego was just fine before I came along.”

His eyes rolled back and forth a couple times, that goofy grin still spread across his cheeks.  “Yeah, you’re probably right,” he agreed, his face still incredibly close to hers.

It was kind of amazing how comfortable she felt with him.  It was something she tried not to think about too much, because it sort of scared her.  She couldn’t ever remember feeling so comfortable with a man. 

Finally, he leaned in just enough to touch his lips to hers for a only brief moment.  “You know,” he said, still close, “I think I kind of like you.”

“Really?” Ellie remarked playfully.  “I thought you couldn’t stand me.”  The sarcasm had been laid on pretty thick with her words.

His hands smoothed to her waist, almost tickling, but only enough to barely make her body jump.  “You should know that I don’t usually admit that kind of stuff.”  He was sort of talking through his teeth and leaning into her even more, at the same time she kept leaning back.  His hands were still braced at her waist.  It didn’t take much to realize that their position was about to change from sitting up to lying down, and at this rate he’d be right smack on top of her.

She wasn’t complaining.  Instead, she caught herself with her elbows before her back smashed into the cushion.  “You just have sex with a girl and usually she figures that part out on her own?”

“Or she just assumes,” he replied quickly, probably without thinking since that wasn’t really the most politically correct thing to say, no doubt.

Ellie just smirked, finally letting her body sink into the couch and not fighting it when his weight rested against her.  He brought a hand up to her face and brushed her hair from her eyes.

“That really made me kind of sound like an asshole, didn’t it?” he said after a moment.

Her response was simply a nod.

JC rolled his eyes at himself.  Honestly, after what he’d just said, she probably should have been running for the door, but his body felt way too nice all pressed up against her.  She couldn’t have left even if he hadn’t been weighing her down.  “I’m not going to try and pretend like I’ve always been the nicest guy, because I haven’t.”

She decided to stop him there.  “JC, you don’t owe me any explanations.  Please.  We’re just two neighbors who’ve had sex and like being around each other.”

He pressed his lips to the top of her cheek bone.  “Neighbors who’ve had sex, and plan on having more sex because they’re kind of good at it together, and who like being around each other.”

“Yes,” she agreed with a smirk.  She shifted the leg that had been trapped underneath him until she’d managed to free it, allowing her to open up to him even more.  Why did his body just have to feel so damn good?  He could probably tell her that he’d fucked the entire block at that moment and she still wouldn’t be able to leave.  She’d just accept that she was another notch in his belt and get on with it.

But she couldn’t think about it any longer, as their shift in positions had led to him instantly kissing her, and her instantly being on fire for him.  “You do something crazy to me,” he was saying as he finally broke free for just a second.  “This so isn’t like me.”

Ellie smoothed a hand up his cheek bone and then over his ear, to the back of his head.  “I really think you should stop talking now,” she told him.

“Am I saying too much?” he asked, before touching the side of her neck with his lips.

“Yes,” she managed, one hand slipping through his arm and around to his back.  She just couldn’t stop thinking about how good he felt, how much she enjoyed touching him.  Next thing she knew she’d slipped both of her hands up the back of his shirt and was thoroughly enjoying the feel of his strong frame against her fingertips.

JC was too busy planting moist kisses to her neck to stop her, not like she thought he would anyway.  In fact, as his mouth skidded down closer to the neckline of her sweatshirt, he was sort of humming—a sound of definite pleasure, for sure.  He lifted up just enough to grasp the zipper of her hoodie.  “You’re wearing too much,” he said simply, opening up her most outer layer.  Of course, he only found a fairly high-neck tee underneath, probably not what he was hoping for.  Lightly he bit at the hollow of her throat and then pressed a kiss to the same spot.  “I think you’ve spent too much time on the couch today,” he remarked.

Ellie figured he was probably right, but it was at that same exact time that her stomach rumbled—loudly.  She hadn’t eaten much all day.  Of course, now was a bad time to be reminded of that. 

JC paused and looked at her kind of funny.  “Everything okay in there?” he asked, the right side of his brow raised slightly higher than the left.

“I haven’t eaten much today.”

He huffed loudly.  “Well, shit… I better feed you then.”

“I can wait,” she told him with a hopeful grin.

The look he gave her didn’t hold much belief in what she’d just said.  He sat up, his legs still kind of situated over hers, then he held a hand out to help her up.  She took it.  She’d meant that she could wait for food.  Looked like she’d be waiting for other things instead.
  

© BrandyRae 2008

Chapter 8 by BrandyRae
The Good Neighbor by BrandyRae
Chapter 8

Five minutes later JC was pulling out of his garage with Ellie slouched down in the passenger seat of his black Mercedes SL550 Roadster.  It was a little less flashy than the Porsche.  Granted, it was a convertible, but it was a hard-top convertible and he had no plans on putting the thing down and exposing them to the world—or the cold.  It was both windy and chilly outside.

Regardless, Ellie was slumped down as far as the seat belt would allow, with her hood up.  A run for a burrito had to be safe.  That’s what she’d really wanted to eat and for some damned reason he had this nagging urge to satisfy ALL of her wants, and then some.  Besides, he had absolutely no food in his house.  Sure, they could have just went to her house, but walking across the street together was probably more risky than pulling out of the garage in his car.

As long as they didn’t get stopped by Gabby.

Safely out of their neighborhood, Ellie sat up a bit and pulled her hood off.  “These windows are pretty dark,” she said.

“Yeah, I think we’re safe.”  He took a quick glance at her while stopping at a traffic light, realizing he was probably way over his head with this one.  He honestly liked this girl, probably too much.  She looked damn good sitting beside him in the car.  She fit—nicely.  It didn’t have anything to do with the way she looked.  She just fit.  He couldn’t explain it if he tried.

“This is just the silliest thing ever,” she smirked.  “I can’t believe I’m nervous about going through a drive-thru— Wait, this place does have a drive-thru, right?”

JC nodded.  “Yes.  It does.”  It was just a little hole-in-the-wall Mexican tacqueria.  It was kind of far from his house, but the food was good and the chance of them getting caught by the so-called “paps” was slim to none.

She leaned forward and turned on his radio; one of his eyes glued to her movements and the other glued to the road.  It probably wasn’t the safest way to drive, but he’d done worse things while behind the wheel—unfortunately. 

Lightly she smirked and that immediately drew his attention even more.  “What?” he asked.

“Don’t laugh, but this song reminds me of you,” she told him, now looking his way.

He must have looked at her kind of funny.  He didn’t really get it.  He knew it was Mariah Carey’s new song, the main lyric being “Touch my body” so he guess he understood why it might remind her of him.  He wanted to grin at the thought of just how much he enjoyed touching her body, but he managed to hold back.

“See.  Listen—”  She was pointing at the tuner, like that’s where the sound came out.  He got her point.

The song was purely about sex, and secret sex at that.  Okay, so it took a minute, but he totally got it.  “You know,” he remarked, stealing a quick glance at her one more time.  She wasn’t just attractive, she was cute—and that could be deadly.  “I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing.”

She stared at him, obviously puzzled.  “Why?”  Her hair was kind of crazy, reminiscent of bed-head even though they hadn’t been there yet, probably from the hood she’d been wearing.  More and more he was realizing that what he was feeling wasn’t just in the more obvious desire-driven parts of his anatomy.  There was a yearning that struck him right in the chest, but at that moment he was being too playful with her to let it affect him.

“I don’t know, the whole secret rendezvous thing… You act like you’re afraid to be seen with me or something.”  He was completely being sarcastic.  If she didn’t get it he was going to smack himself.

“JC!” She practically shot out of her seat as his name came flying from her mouth.  He couldn’t help but smile.  Why did he love getting her worked up over nothing?

“I’m kidding,” he said quickly, one hand up in his defense as he was trying to turn off the smile on his face.  “I’m kidding, I’m kidding, I’m kidding.  I get it.”

She kind of slumped back into her seat.  “I wouldn’t mind being seen with you at all,” she remarked, sounding slightly defeated.  “If I could…”

JC chuckled.  “I was just giving you a hard time.  Don’t get upset.”

“I’m not upset,” she defended.  “I just kind of thought you might take it more as a compliment that it reminds me of you.”

“Why?  Because it says touch my body over and over again?”  He was watching her again from the corner of his eye, a playful look of waiting on his face.

“Yes.”

“Well, I guess we just better hurry up and get some food then so we can hurry up and get back.”  The last half of the sentence came out in a very round-about yet suggestive fashion—completely done on purpose, of course.

 

 

Thirty minutes had passed before they were pulling up their street again.  They’d eaten their food on the way back and now Ellie’s hunger was completely satisfied.  Well, her hunger for food anyway!  Her hunger for JC had quadrupled.  Their conversation had bordered playful yet suggestive the entire trip. 

After she’d confessed her feelings about the “Touch My Body” song, he’d felt it necessary to switch the stereo to a CD, a style of a music that he called “trip hop.”  It was clear that JC had a very eclectic taste in music, and what they listened to for the rest of the ride had been both sexy and erotic, and up-tempo, all at the same time.  She wasn’t sure if he’d done it on purpose or not, but either way, she’d consumed just enough bites of her burrito to subside her hunger and then dumped the rest of the thing in the bag.  She had way too much going on inside of her body to eat.

They were just turning into his driveway and she instinctively unbuckled her seatbelt, ready to get out quickly.

“Fuck me…” 

If the words had been said in a different context, she might have said okay, but unfortunately it was obvious by the groan that had accompanied his words that the reason for them had not been pleasant.  As soon as Ellie looked up, she realized exactly what that reason was.  Gabby was marching straight towards the car, in the middle of his short driveway.  It was almost like she was blocking the path into the garage on purpose!How much nerve did this woman have anyway!

“Fuck me is right,” Ellie reiterated.

She didn’t miss his reaction to her words—a quick sideways glance along with what almost sounded like a sigh of pain.  She wasn’t sure if it was the thoughts that had just ran through his mind or the realization that they were going to have to deal with Gabby.

“Do you think anyone would notice she was missing if we just ran her over?”  Of course Ellie was totally kidding.

JC was smirking again.  “Probably not, but she might put a big dent in my car.”

Ellie chuckled softly under her breath, just as the annoyance was stepping around to JC’s window.  “If you just pull straight in, will she follow?”

He was groaning, a definite snarl to his otherwise attractive lips.  “Yes.”

“Damn.”  Ellie was snarling too, as JC was rolling down his window.  In her head she was cussing about a thousand cuss words—or at least all she could think of, anyway.

“Hey sweetie…” Gabby’s voice came through faker than usual—saccharine sweet.  “You don’t happen to—”  The woman stopped then, mid sentence, and Ellie realized instantly it was because she’d been discovered.  “Oh…” Gabby continued, eyeing Ellie first and then slithering her sight back over to JC.  It was definitely not a friendly look.  How does the old saying go?  If looks could kill, you’d be lying on the floor… or something like that?  That definitely described Gabby’s stare at the moment.  She was very obviously pissed.  “Nice to see you’ve rolled out the welcome wagon for our new neighbor.  I won’t keep you guys.”  She stepped back.  “Night…”

JC was already pulling into the garage and rolling up his window.  Ellie, on the other hand, was busy letting her head fall between her knees as she was trying to inhale deep and calming breaths.

He turned off the car and she heard the rolling of the garage door shut behind them.

Of course, she was too occupied with her hysteria at the moment to move.  “Fuck, fuck, fuck…”  She was cursing again, very softly, her body still hunched over and her hands over her head.  She was staring at the black floor mat beneath her feet and nothing else.

When she knew a good minute or two had gone by and JC hadn’t said a word, she finally tilted her head to get a peek at him.  He was just sitting there, staring at her, waiting.  “There’s nothing we can do about it now,” he said simply.

Ellie sat up in the seat.  “She’ll sell it, JC.  She is going to call every mother fucking tabloid in L.A.”

He was still just staring at her, but as she spoke, she watched a very thin smile ease over his lips.  “You really do have a bad mouth,” he told her, still grinning.

How on Earth could he be amused at a time like this?  “I think if ever there was an appropriate time for a good cuss word or two, now is it.”

JC agreed, nodding slightly.  “It’s kind of sexy.”

Ellie just shook her head.  “There are probably going to be ten paparazzi lining our street tomorrow morning.”

JC shook his head no.  “By the time she makes all her phone calls, it’ll probably be ten a.m. at least.”

Ellie automatically rolled her eyes.  “So you’re not worried?”

“Of course I’m worried.”

“Honestly, I think I probably need to go home, before it’s too late.”  Her state of panic was climbing by the second.  She was freaking out a little bit, her hands up with obvious frustration as she blurted out an exasperated “God!”  Then continued after a momentary pause, “I don’t wanna go home.  I wanna go get naked in that big bed of yours—with you!”  The hysteria was still apparent as she’d just blatantly confessed her sexual needs to him.  Obviously she wasn’t thinking about being discreet at the moment.


JC was smiling again, looking slightly puzzled.  “So why the hell are we still sitting in the car?”  He asked, his brow raised with question.

“Because, I told you, I should leave now while it’s still safe.”

He leaned towards her then, looking all sexy and seductive.  “How do we know it’s safe?  I’m sure she has a camera.  She could easily take the pictures herself, right now, if you left.”

“Shit…” Ellie sighed.

JC just kept inching closer.  He’d completely maneuvered his top half to her side of the car, so close she could reach forward and kiss him.  “So let’s go get naked in that big bed of mine.”  It came out extremely sexy and inviting when he said it, of course.

She didn’t even bother to form a response.  Instead she popped the door handle and slipped out of the car.  JC immediately followed her lead and was meeting her at the front of the hood.  She was ready to follow him inside the house, but he stopped to grab hold of her hand.  The look in his eyes was sort of comforting.  It was obvious she was upset and it was also obvious that he didn’t really like seeing her that way. 

Tenderly he pressed one lingering kiss to her lips.  “Calm down,” he spoke softly, gently.  “We’ll figure a way to get you back home without anyone getting a picture, okay?”

It was like her panic was instantly gone.  Completely submissive to whatever he might say at that moment, she simply agreed with a nod.  Then, with her fingers still hooked to his, she let him guide her through the dimly lit garage and inside of the house.

“Go ahead,” he told her, tipping his head towards the hall while holding the trash from the car.  “I’m gonna throw this away and I’ll be right there.  You want anything else?”

She shook her head no and headed down the now-familiar path to his bedroom.  A lamp on one of his nightstands was glowing dimly, illuminating the room just enough to make it seem inviting.  Well, it didn’t need to seem anything to her.  She knew just how inviting it was firsthand.

With a deep sigh she plopped down on the neatly made bed and fell flat on her back, staring up at the blank ceiling for a minute.  She just wanted to escape—escape from her own life.  Was that possible?  She didn’t want to deal with all the shit she was going through at the moment.  Spending time with JC seemed to be the only positive thing she had to hang on to.  It was also the one thing she’d been advised NOT to do.  Oh well.  She was ignoring that advice at that particular moment.

Her ears notified her that he was coming before she actually saw him.  She heard his footsteps and had been watching the door from the corner of her eye when he came in.  His swagger was completely undeniable, and she realized it was also completely automatic for him, which made it all the more attractive.  He had absolutely no idea that he was doing it.  His walk was just sexy.  He was just sexy.

And Ellie couldn’t wait to sex him up fully. 


“I should probably sneak home.”  Ellie reached a hand out from under the bedding and trailed her fingertips down the side of JC’s face.  She might have been talking about going home, but so far she hadn’t even come close to leaving.

“I don’t think I’m ready for you to leave yet.”  JC was sprawled out on his side, looking straight at her, all naked and yummy.  One of her legs was hooked over his muscular thigh as his palm rested against her hip.  It was an extremely intimate position they shared.  She wasn’t ready for it to end yet either.

JC pressed a moist kiss to the top of her forehead and her eyes automatically closed at the feel of his velvety touch against her skin.  “If you insist,” she voiced. 

“I kind of like having you in my bed,” he continued, his lips brushing the corner of her mouth this time.  She caught his kiss before he could slip away, capturing his lips in another steamy fusion.  Instinctively, her hand slipped around his rib cage to his back.  The shift closed what little space had been left them between them seconds earlier.  He just felt so amazingly good to touch—all strong and warm and soft and inviting.  Everything a woman could ever hope to feel when touching a man.

Next thing she knew he was rolling on to his back and she was climbing on top of him, their passionate kiss not waning in the slightest.  Almost instantly she was aware that he was again completely ready for her, as they’d switched to the most intimate position possible.  It would have been so easy to let him ease right into her, but she knew better.

Breathing against the side of his neck, she buried her face into him, lightly trailing her tongue against the bottom of his ear.  “How come you make me so hot when you didn’t even do anything?”

JC chuckled something deep, a total bed room voice if she’d ever heard one.  “I’d like to think I did  something,” he remarked.

She let her body settle against him as she pressed a kiss into his flesh.  “Yeah,” she was breathing into his ear again.  “Just being here did something,” she decided.

Both of his arms were around her, his fingers trailing up and down her spine.  “I have that affect on women.  Didn’t I tell you that?”   He was smiling.  She couldn’t see it, but she could feel it in his jaw.

“Maybe once or twice,” she smirked playfully, indulging in the taste of his skin once more.  His neck was just a tad bit rough, but—God—how she loved the way he felt on her lips.  If she ended up overdosing on Chapstick the next day that would be perfectly fine.  It’d just be a constant reminder of another memorable evening with Mr. JC Chasez.

His grip slid down to her butt, where he immediately gave her a good squeeze.  Then he tipped her off of him and slipped out from under her.  Looking her over with confidence, no doubt realizing she was a little puzzled after what he’d just done, he gave her a flirty wink and said, “I’ll be right back.”  Then he rolled out of bed and disappeared, not bothering to put one piece of clothing on.  She’d enjoyed the view immensely, even though it had only lasted a second.  The curve of his bare ass alone was enough to keep her senses happy for a very, very long time.

 

 

JC opened the closet in the guest room just down the hall from his master suite and reached up to the top shelf.  He was expecting to find a box of condoms.  It wasn’t there. 

Shit.

Who’d taken it?  Mac?  Or Trey?  Or his fucking brother who’d been out to visit just before Ellie had moved in?  Damn.  Not that he could be mad, anyway.  He was all for everyone he knew to be cautious and safe, which is why he kept them in the spare room to begin with.  It was just now that he needed them, they weren’t there and he really wanted to have Ellie one more time.

Shit.

Oh well.  All he could do was be honest with her.

Shutting the closet and turning off the bedroom light, he moved across the hall to the laundry room and pulled a clean pair of sweat shorts out of the dryer, pulling them on.  Then he went out to the kitchen, thinking he needed to bring back something.  It was still fairly early, not even midnight.

Finally making a decision, he grabbed a nice bottle of cabernet and two bulbous goblets, making way back to the safe-haven of his bedroom.  Of course, he found Ellie sprawled out on her side, only half covered by the sheet, her breasts heaving, as she was definitely thinking one thing and one thing only.

Shit.

With the wine bottle tucked under the crook of his arm, he moved towards her, deciding there was no need to beat around the bush.  “I’m out of condoms.”

She sat up, still not bothering to cover herself.  Dammit.  “Oh,” was all she said.

He sat down beside her, one leg still hanging off the side of the mattress.  “Sorry.”

She shrugged and he almost wanted to cry with every subtle move of her amazingly gorgeous—and natural—chest.  Dammit.

“I brought wine.  We could watch a movie?”

She nodded.  “That’s probably best.  I’m not on any type of birth control so we can’t afford to take any chances.”

He understood completely.  “You wanna a shirt?”

With a grin and a flirtatious bat of her eye lashes, she asked, “do I need one?”

He nodded, a little more eagerly than he would have liked.  Ellie was instantly giggling because of it.  “Okay,” she said.

Quickly he stood and moved into his closet, pulling a plain t-shirt from one of the built-in drawers.  He tossed it to her when he was only a few steps from the bed and she immediately pulled it over her head.  With an inward sigh, he sat down just in time to realize he’d forgot one major item.  “Shit.  I forgot the corkscrew.”  He picked up the TV remote and turned on the 50-inch hanging across the room. 

“I can go get it,” she offered.

JC shook his head, pressing the menu button on the remote until he got her to the VUDU menu.  Then he handed her the movie player’s remote.  “Here,” he told her.  “Find us something to watch.  I’ll go get it.”

When he returned, Ellie was still scrolling through the vast movie menu that VUDU had to offer.  Her head turned upon sensing his presence.  “What kind of movies do you like?” she asked him.

He shrugged and sat down, determined not to get up again unless absolutely necessary.  “Good ones,” he stated simply, thinking that some extra pillows would be nice.  He got up again, even though he had vowed not to, and moved back into his closet.

“Something new?” he heard her ask. 

“Sure,” he called out, reaching up to a top shelf where he stored extra bedding and pillows.  He grabbed three good sized feather-down ones, along with clean matching slips, and made way back into the bedroom again.

“Okay, I’ve narrowed it down to three,” she said, her eyes focusing on him briefly as he stuffed the fluffy pillows into their 800-thread-count coverings.  “Superbad, Good Luck Chuck or I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry.”

The pillows finally prepped he handed one her way and she stuffed it behind her head.  “I guess we’ve decided on a comedy then?” Fluffing an extra pillow behind his own head, he finally returned to his spot, where he absolutely did not plan on getting up again unless absolutely necessary. 

“Yes,” she grinned.

“Not Good Luck Chuck,” he told her, “too much sex.”  He figured that he didn’t really need to explain why that wouldn’t be a good idea.

Without anymore hesitation, she pressed the button, deciding on Superbad.  He’d seen it, but it was funny and he really cared less about the movie anyway.  The whole point was to give her a reason to stick around longer, even though they would have to refrain from anymore sexual recreation.

Although, he could think of a few things they could do without getting themselves in trouble…

He realized she was staring at him then, as his mind had been totally wandering, and met her eyes without question.  “The wine?” she said.

“Oh.”  He reached over and grabbed the bottle, finally opening it.  “Should we let it breath for a minute?” he asked her.

She shook her head no and said, “nah…”

He found himself smiling for no particular reason, except for the fact that she looked amazing in his bed, her hair incredibly mussed at this point—and rightfully so, to say the least.  Her skin was a little flushed, still, and she had this unmistakable glow about her.  He found himself wondering what man in their right mind would ever let Ellie slip away? 

His stare must have been obvious again, because as soon as he realized what he was doing, he also realized that she was staring right back with this glossy and silly look across her face.  “Do I have to get it myself?” she asked, with a playful grin. 

Then, without one second of hesitation, she proceeded to reach right over him, practically crawling across his lap.  Immediately he stopped her, grabbing hold of her shoulders, and placing her back down where she’d been before.  “I’ll get it,” he assured, “you just keep that pretty little ass of yours planted on the mattress.”

She was instantly chuckling, as he finally poured her glass and handed it to her.  She took a small sip and then brought her sight back to him with smiling eyes.  “I probably shouldn’t tempt you, should I?” she remarked with a devilish grin.  Obviously she knew the affect she had on him.

“Probably not, considering you so honestly confessed that you’re not on any type of birth control and that’s the last thing either of us need right now.”

“You’re right.”  She sank into the pillows and returned her glass to her lips, both of them trying their best to concentrate on the movie instead of each other.

 

© BrandyRae 2008

Chapter 9 by BrandyRae
The Good Neighbor by BrandyRae
Chapter 9


Ellie fell asleep before the movie was even over.  She’d made it through the first half, laughing at all the appropriate parts.  JC had laughed, too, but he was more interested in watching her than watching the movie.  After she’d finally finished her wine, she sat the glass down on the table beside the bed and then curled up close to his side, her head kind of leaning on his shoulder.  It felt so natural having her there beside him.  He couldn’t have held back even if he’d wanted to.  Almost instantly he was opening up to her so she could fit in that comfortable little nook between his arm and his side.

Damn.  He didn’t like to think about it, but he hadn’t actually been in this kind of position with a girl in a long time.  It was usually—and he hated to be so blunt about it—wham, bam, thank you ma’am, for lack of better terminology at one-something in the morning.

She’d made way back to her own pillow shortly before falling asleep and that’s where she’d been ever since.  But she was still really, really close to him.  In fact, the top of her head was just barely touching the bottom of his shoulder, as she was lying on her side, facing his direction, and her knee was sort of pressed against his leg.

Sighing deeply, he switched off the TV and slid further down into the bedding.  Then he kissed her head sweetly and closed his eyes, slightly nervous of how his body might betray him further in the middle of the night.  Spooning with Ellie was tempting.  If it weren’t for the fact she was facing the wrong way, he’d probably already have curled up against her.


Ellie had never slept so comfortably in her life—seriously.  When the annoying ditty of her cell phone, combined with the buzzing vibration of it on the nightstand, came to life at some odd hour the next morning, she could barely muster the strength to lift an arm to check it.

“Let it go to voicemail,” she heard JC grumble behind her.  He was completely smothering her, his arm over her waist and his face pressed into the back of her neck.  His entire body completely elongated behind her.  It felt absolutely amazing.  His knees were touching the back of her knees.  His stomach was against her back.  He was touching her in every way possible. 

She decided the last thing she wanted to do was move and mess it up.  Voicemail it was.

She’d just closed her eyes, when it started again. 

“They’ll get the hint,” he said, his voice whispery soft but yet husky and deep all at the same time.  His grip on her tightened.  She couldn’t move even if she wanted to.

It finally stopped and she breathed a sigh of relief.

Then it started up again!

“Jesus Christ,” she finally swore, popping up suddenly.  She reached for the thing, completely annoyed and answered with the most aggravated, “Hello?”

“Where are you?”  She should have known it was Jill.  “And why are there four cars with men trying their best to look inconspicuous but totally watching your house, lined up and down the street?”

Ellie immediately fell back to the pillow.  JC had barely moved.  As soon as she returned, his hand seemed to make its way to her stomach.  “I’m not home,” she finally explained, a bit gruffly.

“I kind of got that, but where are you at 9:30 in the morning?  And were you sleeping?”

At the same time JC was whispering. “Who is that?”

“Jill, I can’t really talk about it if you’re standing within earshot of the paparazzi—and before you start guessing, think about what I just said.”

“Oh, please,” the woman remarked, “I’m already back in the car.  Did you stay the night with JC?”

Ellie didn’t answer.  Instead she was enjoying the fact that JC’s lips had found the back part of her neck. 

“You did, didn’t you?  You little slut…” 

“Did you have a specific reason for waking me up?”

Jill groaned.  “It doesn’t matter.  I’ll talk to you later.  Bye!”

Ellie barely managed to press the button to end the call before dropping it on the closest thing possible—the mattress.  JC was curling into her even more, wrapping a leg over both of her thighs as she was stretched out on her back.  His face was still buried into her neck and his arm was tight around her abdomen.

The whole scene brought on this huge swell of contentment inside her chest.  She really didn’t want the moment to end.  Unfortunately, she also really had to go to the bathroom.

Patting the arm that was slung over her, she whispered, “I really need to use the bathroom.”

He didn’t say anything, just gave her enough space so she could slide out of bed.  In the bathroom, she tried really hard not to look at herself, but it was difficult considering JC had mirrors everywhere.  She was sort of a mess, her hair doing crazy, frizzy things all on its own accord.  At least she didn’t have remnants of old make-up on her face, probably because she hadn’t been wearing much the night before.  JC didn’t seem to mind much, which was so completely refreshing.  In her past relationship barely a moment went by when she wasn’t perfectly made-up.

Perching herself in front of the sink, she decided to check and see if he had an extra tooth brush.  She found his own—Sonic Care—plugged in and hiding inside a cabinet that hardly looked like a cabinet.  His bathroom was spotless, just like the rest of his house, and there was absolutely nothing left out on the counter.  She was positive he had a housekeeper.  She could not imagine him cleaning.  No way.

Opening drawer number one, she did not find an extra toothbrush, but she did find three very obvious square packages—condoms—among other miscellaneous things.  She thought he said he was out?  Grabbing the find, she was definitely going to have ask about that.

Drawer two was almost empty, except for a few unused toiletries.  Bingo.  A neatly packaged Colgate toothbrush.  She’d take it in a heartbeat.

When she finally returned to bed, JC was sprawled on his back, face up towards the ceiling, eyes closed.  Whether he was asleep or not was yet to be determined.  She slid in beside him, watching to see if he’d stir. 

He didn’t.

Scooting closer, her palm found his stomach—warm and stretched out—then she smoothed her touch up the center of his chest.  Slowly she inched her face into his neck, as her body instinctively melded right against his side.  “I found something in the bathroom,” she whispered.

“The extra toothbrush or the mouthwash?” he replied, one of his hands finding her side.

“Something else,” she continued, pressing her lips into the soft spot behind his ear.  She let the hand that had been resting against his chest, slip down to his shorts. 

“Mmmm…” He groaned and shifted until he was lying on his side, facing her direction.  “Easy.  Full bladder.”

She pulled her hand away and grabbed the foil packets that had been hiding behind her on the mattress.  Then she dangled them in front of his face.  He looked at her kind of funny—puzzled.  “Those were in the bathroom?”

She nodded.

“Damn.  I wish I would’ve looked last night.”

Ellie smirked.  “We could always make up for it now…”

“I like that idea.”  He kissed the top of her head and practically hopped out of the covers.  “Give me just a minute…” His voice trailed off as he disappeared into the bathroom.

With a quiet chuckle, Ellie stared up at the ceiling.  She should have been stressing out about the photogs camped out outside, but at the moment she honestly didn’t care.  They were safe inside of JC’s bedroom.  Unless one of the paps scaled the hill, which was pretty much impossible, there was no way they could get anything of them now. 

Leaving… now that was going to be another story, but there was absolutely no need in worrying about it yet.

JC returned a few moments later with this sleepy but sexy grin across his handsome face.  He slipped back under the covers quickly, removing his shorts and dropping them to the floor.

He immediately took a dive for her, going for the shirt she’d been wearing—the only thing she’d been wearing.  “Get naked,” he whispered gruffly.

Of course, she had no problems with that.  “Are we in a hurry?” she asked, sinking into the mattress as his body was already mingling with hers in an extremely intimate manner—his leg between her legs, his chest only a movement away from her chest, and the tip of his very awake erection brushing against the top of her thigh before he finally situated his other leg with the first.

“Absolutely not,” he told her, just before devouring her lips with an extremely passionate kiss.  Wow.  She could really learn to like waking up like this!


It was after eleven and Ellie was situated at the informal dining table inside of JC’s kitchen—dark cherry wood and extremely rustic looking.  His home was very masculine, but most definitely professionally decorated.  JC was standing in front of double glass doors that led out to a balcony overlooking the homes plotted along the hillside.  He was holding a steaming cup of coffee.  Ellie’s mug was sitting in front of her as she waited anxiously for his phone to ring.

They had come up with a plan to sneak her out without getting photographed, but it wasn’t going to be easy—and the thought had already surfaced that once she left, she wouldn’t be able to come back.  She’d enjoyed their time together so much, she didn’t even want to think about not being able to see him.

Things had really clicked between the two of them, and as sad as it was, she realized the connection she already shared with JC was something that she’d never shared with her ex-husband.  It was something that she’d craved more than she’d ever realized.

If only they hadn’t met under such circumstances…

Almost simultaneously JC’s cell phone rang as Ellie’s Blackberry received a text message.  She listened to JC talk to his friend Mac while skimming the text from Jill.  The plan was for Mac to sneak out Ellie and drop her at Jill’s.  Then later that night Jill would bring Ellie home.  It probably wasn’t the most fail-proof plan, but it was honestly the best they could come up with.

With everything in motion, all that was left to do was wait.  Ellie scooted from the table and moved towards JC.  He was still facing the view, even though he’d just hung up the phone.  He obviously sensed her stepping beside him, as he automatically hooked an arm over her shoulders before taking the opportunity to look her direction.  “Twenty minutes,” he said.

Instinctively Ellie curled an arm around his back and hugged into his side.  “This really sucks.”

“I know.  I’m sorry you have to sneak out.  Bad press is the last thing you need right now.  We’ll make sure nothing gets photographed.”

That was all true, but that really wasn’t what she was thinking—even if she should have been.  “It’s not just that,” she admitted and then lowered her voice to a whisper.  “Once I leave, how are we going to find a way to see each other again?”

He looked down at her then and instantly their eyes caught.  “Don’t worry. We’ll figure something out.”  The look he gave sent shivers down her spine.  She wasn’t sure what exactly was happening between them, but whatever it was—it was emitting some major electricity.

He shifted, and the next thing she knew her chest was pressed up against his torso and their arms were wrapped around each other, his head tilted down until he’d nudged her into a gentle kiss.  Then he was whispering against her, “I like you, Ellie.  I like you a lot more than I probably should, and I’m sorry if maybe I shouldn’t be telling you that, but I’m about 95 percent sure that you’re feeling exactly the same way.”

When she looked into his gorgeous blue eyes, it was impossible not to be honest with him after what he’d just openly admitted.  “I am.”

His mouth brushed over hers one more time.  “If we have to meet up secretly for however long is necessary, that’s fine with me.”

She nodded, her eyes still locked with his.

He brushed the back of his fingers down the side of her cheek.  “I just don’t want you to get hammered in the press.  You don’t deserve that.  You’re a good person and you and I both know they can make it seem otherwise.”

She was nodding in agreement again.  Apparently she’d lost her voice. 

He grinned something confident yet comforting all at the same time.  Her heart was swelling inside of her chest.  She was trying hard to ignore that feeling, but it was absolutely impossible.

“Don’t worry.  We’ll figure this out.  I promise.”


Later that afternoon, after a relaxing session in the sauna adjoined to one of the enormous bathrooms at Jill’s 10,000 square feet home, Ellie sat in the casual TV room, watching reruns of Beverly Hills 90210 on the Soap channel.  It was two in the afternoon and there was nothing on.  Jill still wasn’t home.

Ellie and JC had spent most of the time since they’d left each other texting back and forth.  He had started it, sending some ridiculously sweet message about how he missed kissing her already.  She’d been sitting in the car with Mac, and even though he didn’t know her very well, he seemed to have no problem asking what the smirk of giddiness had been about, as she tapped her thumbs quickly to the QWERTY keypad, responding to JC’s message.

She managed to blow of Mac’s inquiry.  She didn’t really know him and the last thing she wanted to do was act overly “ga ga” in front of JC’s friend.

The ride after that had been fairly quiet, which had been just fine by her.  Soon he’d dropped her off.  The housekeeper had let her in and she’d been hanging out ever since, roaming around and trying to keep herself entertained.  Honestly, she just wanted to be home, but Jill had told her it would be after six before she’d be able to take her.

One good thing, at least, was that even though Jill was quite a bit taller than Ellie, she did have clothes that fit.  Ellie had no problems raiding her friends’ closet.

Jill finally walked in the door just after five p.m., earlier than Ellie had expected.  After a quick change, they were in the car and out the door.

Ellie breathed a sigh of relief.  “Thanks for doing this,” she told Jill.

“You know I need more detail, right?  What’s going on between you two and how did the paps find out?  I mean, last I heard, you had shooed him away after that little make out session at your place.  Now you’re staying the night at his house?  I cannot believe you did not call me.”  She was talking extremely fast, and her driving was almost just as bad.

Ellie found herself double checking her seat belt even though she knew it was on properly.  “I don’t know what’s going on between us.  I just like him.  That’s all…”

Jill hit the brakes—stop sign. 

“Jesus,” Ellie gasped.  “Please don’t kill us.”  It had been awhile since she’d actually rode in a car with Jill driving.  She’d forgot how scary it could be.

“Anyway, keep going.  It can’t be as simple as you just like him.  The sex is really good, huh?”

Ellie tried not to let the answer show on her face, but that was pretty much freakin’ impossible.  “What do you think?”  She answered instead, and then braced herself for the next stop sign.  Her driving foot was pretend-braking the entire time Jill was screeching the Mercedes to a halt.  “Shit.  Can I drive?”

“I’ll try and be a little less aggressive,” Jill remarked.  “Promise.  Just keep talking.  You were saying that the sex is amazing.”

Ellie took a deep breath, deciding that not looking at the road would probably be best, before she continued.  “We just really click.  I feel really comfortable with him.”

“You are so avoiding the juicy stuff,” Jill remarked, approaching another stop sign.  Thankfully her approach was much more acceptable this time. 

“He’s amazing, okay?  Makes me feel things I’ve never felt before—EVER.”

Both of Jill’s hands came away from the steering wheel then, as she clapped like a giddy little school girl.  “I knew it!  I knew it.”

Ellie just shook her head.  “Two hands, please?  Ten and two preferably.”

© BrandyRae 2008

Chapter 10 by BrandyRae
The Good Neighbor by BrandyRae
Chapter 10


By nine o’clock that evening JC realized he was going crazy to see her again.   The feeling scared him A LOT, but there was no denying it.  He was into Ellie Sanderson way more than he should have been.  Their flirty on-going text messages were driving him insane!  He just could not get her out of his head.  Every time he closed his eyes, her amazing body floated through his mind.  He just wanted to devour every inch of her—and then some!

Unfortunately the chances of that happening were slim to none.  Of course, he was already trying to figure out a way for them to see each other again.

At the moment, Ellie had company.  He knew this for two reasons.  One, there were cars parked outside her house—two black Mercedes sedans to be exact.  And two, she’d told him via text that Jill was there—still—and that Jill had invited over some private investigator to give Ellie some tips.

He was anxious to find out just what the guy had said… and if there was any hope of them having a midnight rendezvous.

Doubtful.  He wasn’t getting his hopes up.  That was for damn sure.

It was almost ten, he was on his way to peek out the front window again, when she finally called.  He let his phone ring twice, trying to make it seem like he hadn’t been waiting for her to call.  “All done?” he asked immediately.

“Finally.  That was a little more than I wanted to deal with.”

“Really?  Why?”  Moving into his bedroom, he plopped down on the bed and turned on the TV with the remote, muting the sound and listening as she began going over all the things her friend Jill had planned out for her.  The PI, a meeting tomorrow with someone from PR, and interviews for an assistant.  It all sounded sort of crazy, but he guessed she needed all that.  She was Ellie Sanderson, after all.  At least that’s how others would look at it.  To him she was a beautiful woman with an amazing personality and a passion for sex that had kept her at the forefront of his thoughts all day long.

He let her vent for as long as she needed to.  When she finally seemed to have let it all out, he decided it was time to let out what he needed to let out.  “I really wish I could see you again tonight,” he told her.

“Me too.”

“I haven’t stopped thinking about last night, or this morning, once today.”

He smiled at the sound of her giggle.  “Me either.”

“What if I dressed all in black and crawled across the street?”

She was still giggling.  “That’s tempting.”

“Fuck.”  He couldn’t help but curse.  He was frustrated.  JC was used to getting what he wanted, when he wanted it.  At that very moment he wanted her extremely bad.

“Now you’re the one with the potty mouth,” she smirked lightly.

“I hate not being able to get what I want,” he confessed.

“Oh… So this is just an ego thing for you?”

“No.  Hell no.”  That couldn’t have been farther from the truth.  Or could it?  Well, it definitely wasn’t just an ego thing.  It was more like an everything thing because he wanted her with every damn thing in his body. 

 

 

Of course, if he could have seen the smile on her face, he would have known she was kidding, but Ellie had purposely tried to rile him up a bit.  “I mean, I just assume that I am what you were referring to… as far as not being able to get what you want.”

“Yes.  It is definitely you that I want.  Wanting someone else would be a lot easier, wouldn’t it?”

“For you?  I guess it would be…” She was still teasing. 

“Alright, why don’t you just stab me with a fork already?”

Ellie chuckled at his silliness—something so completely refreshing.  “Oh, JC…” she sighed.  “I’m just trying to sidetrack myself so I don’t think about how much I wish you were here in person right now.”

“Don’t tempt me.  I would jog around the block if I thought it might work.”

Loudly she huffed and asked,  “What the hell are we going to do?”

“Don’t worry.  I have a plan.  Clear your schedule after all that other crap you have to do tomorrow.  I’m making arrangements first thing tomorrow morning.”

Ellie was giggling again.  “I guess I can do that.”

“You guess?  You better.  This isn’t going to be easy.”

 


 

The next morning came and went as a blur.  Ellie first met with the public relations guy—Blake Hudgins.  Really there wasn’t much he could do for her, yet, other than be ready at a moments notice in case something nasty got printed.  He seemed ready for action.  He did tell her that if something happened she felt might get printed to call him first so he could calm the waters before they get rough, so to speak.

At eleven she met with a potential assistant—Daphne, an old sounding name for a fairly young woman.  Honestly, she seemed well qualified and extremely bright.  Ellie didn’t really want to sit through anymore interviews.  So after Daphne was gone, Ellie picked up the phone and called Jill immediately to let her know that Daphne was it.  Jill would set up the hours, wage and the job description since that was her forte.  Staffing high-profile clientele just happened to be one of the many endeavors Jill was involved in.

It was just after lunch when the text came through from JC.  It said simply—Meet me at The Sunset Tower Hotel. 8 PM sharp.  Rm 2325.  She was instantly excited.  It was one of the rare places in L.A. that she had no memories of that included her ex. 

JC had picked the perfect spot for the secret rendezvous.  How did he know?


JC decided it would be best to enlist a different friend this time for help and called Trey instead of Mac.  Late in the afternoon the younger man came by his house where JC gave him cash for the room so Trey could put it on his credit card.  JC had learned from experience that even if the paparazzi doesn’t see you, it doesn’t mean they can’t still find you—especially if you leave a credit card trail.  Things get leaked faster than you can flush the toilet.

After the arrangements were made, Trey came back to the house, picked up JC and they headed off to do a little shopping.  He may have been going a little overboard, but he really just wanted the night to be absolutely perfect.


It was a little after eight by the time Ellie got to the hotel.  She’d had to make a detour by Jill’s house on the way, where she dropped her car and then snuck out a separate exit in one of Jill’s cars to avoid being followed.  It seemed to have worked.

She felt so silly going to such precautions, but she was following the instructions of the PI.  The whole situation was ridiculous.  A big part of her wanted to call up James and tell him that if he made it all go away, she’d do whatever he wanted to make the whole thing end quickly.  Of course the other part of her felt that would be a big cop-out and wasn’t quite ready to give up on the fight they’d hardly even started.

But those were all things she didn’t want to think about at the moment, she reminded herself as she rode up the pristine elevator in the swanky, historic hotel.  She’d always been fascinated by the Hollywood of the 30s and 40s, and thinking of Frank Sinatra or Elizabeth Taylor, or even Marilyn Monroe, spending time in the same luxury accommodations she was secretly rendezvousing in was a really cool feeling for her.

You’d think after being married to a billionaire media mogul that that kind of stuff wouldn’t affect her, but it did.  She was still the same girl she’d been before she married James—amazingly enough.

It felt like it took forever to finally make it up to the room where’d she’d been instructed to meet him.  Lightly she knocked on the door, anxious for him to answer.  Then she smoothed both hands down her sides, almost nervously.  She was wearing a dress, which was unusual for her lately.  But it was a casual dress—black, strapless cotton with a hem that fell to mid-calf.  It hugged her curves nicely, without overdoing it, and it definitely accentuated the more busty part of her shape.  Of course, pretty much everything did.  She’d always had plenty up top. 

Strung over her shoulder was a large, green, leather, Marc by Marc Jacobs tote, which she’d filled with some overnight accessories and anything else that may be necessary before she would leave the next morning.  On her feet were plain black flip flops.  Her toes were painted yellow—a different color for her, but it was a different that she kind of liked.

When the door finally creaked open, he didn’t reveal himself right away.  In fact, when it only popped open a crack she automatically pushed to open it the rest of the way, but the thing didn’t budge.  That’s when he stepped out from behind it—looking amazing and smiling something both sexy and boyish.  With an animated wave, and wide eyes, he said, “Hi.”

Ellie couldn’t help but smile.  Her heart was racing wildly in her chest, like a thousand racehorses galloping along the track of her rib cage.  “Hi,” she said back. 

He was dressed as she normally found him—casual JC—dark jeans that weren’t too tight but weren’t too big—and fit his ass perfectly even though she hadn’t got a good look at it yet—a  pressed white t-shirt with a hard-to-read logo in gold lettering, and white shoes that screamed brand new, even though they probably weren’t.  Every dark hair on his head was placed perfectly where it belonged and his jaw was clean like he’d freshly shaved.  He smelled good, too—that same spicy cologne she was growing extremely fond of.

Damn.  He was the definition of fine.  For sure.

The door had hardly shut behind her when he scooped her close into a one-armed hug and kissed her square on the lips.  Her head was spinning with intoxication—as if it hadn’t been already!  He pulled back just long enough for them to share a breath, as he let his forehead fall against hers.  Then he pressed his mouth to hers one more time—gentle and soft, and extremely sensual.

“Put your bag down,” he finally spoke, his hand falling to her bare shoulder.  “Stay awhile.”

Ellie grinned.  “After all it took to get here?  I don’t plan on leaving anytime soon.”

JC was grinning, as well.  “Good.  Are you hungry?”

She dropped her bag on a nearby chair and eyed him obviously.  She was hungry alright, but food was not on the menu. 

He must have read her mind, or maybe her expression gave it away, as he remarked with a smug, “I meant hungry for food…” before she had the chance to respond.

“Is it that obvious?” she asked, stepping out of her flip flops and leaving them next to the chair that had her purse.

“Yes.”

She stepped up to him again and her hands went straight for his waist, slipping underneath his shirt with absolutely no hesitation.

“I didn’t really want food anyway,” he said matter-of-factly.  “I was trying to be gentlemanly.”

With a grin, Ellie pushed up on her toes to reach his lips now that she was barefoot and he was still wearing his shoes.  The smile hadn’t faded when she kissed him, her hands slipping around his back and down the denim that covered his amazingly fit behind.  His mouth tasted fresh and cold, like he’d brushed his teeth and then drank a really cold glass of water.  He indulged in her with definite pleasure, his hands skimming down her waist and then her hips.  When his grip found her thighs he was urging her body even closer—a request she had no hesitations with.

Finally, after one of the most passionate and fiery embraces ever, he pulled back just enough to catch her eyes.  His hands smoothed up to her neck, his right thumb skimming across her lips just barely.  “For fear of this too closely resembling just a booty call, can we at least look at the rest of the suite?”

Ellie immediately chuckled.  “I’ll take that as a compliment,” she said, taking a step back and letting him take her hand and lead the way.

“You look amazing, by the way,” he told her.

“Thanks.  You’re not too bad yourself.”

He looked back at her just long enough for her to catch the huge grin on his face.  “How was your day, anyway?  I’ve hardly talked to you.  Did you get all that stuff done?”

“For the most part.”

They moved down a hall to the main room of the suite, which was decorated with a classic 40s and 50s feel, but in a very modern way.  They continued on to the master suite, which had the same feel to it, and then to the bathroom, which was enormous and housed an extremely large tub with all the features you could possibly imagine.  He turned to her then, still holding her hand.  “You and me have a date with that tub later on tonight.”  He inched his face to her cheek and then kissed her just below the ear.

Ellie was on fire from head to toe.  He was making her crazy!  “I want you so bad right now, JC.  It’s not even funny.”

With another grin, he met his lips to her lips and they were instantly caught up in another whirlwind kiss.  It grew even more intense when he managed to lift her dress enough so that he could smooth his hand up the back of her bare thigh.  “Should I just throw you down on the bed now?” he asked with a cocky half-smile.

“Yes.”

His mouth meshed with hers once again before he answered.  “I think we should wait a little bit.  You know, savor the moment.”

 

JC watched as her pretty hazel eyes closed shut, like she was in pain or something.  Didn’t she get that he was totally messing with her?  There was nothing more he wanted than to rip that dress right off and have his way with her. 

“How about we savor this moment, and the next moment, and the next moment, and the next moment?”

He was grinning again, somehow understanding the meaning of the sentence she’d just spat out awkwardly.  “I like how you think, sweetheart… I really do.”

She looked up at him then with an expression of total seriousness.  “In all fairness, I should warn you now, I don’t plan on sleeping tonight—at all.”

How did he get so lucky?  “I’m totally down for that,” he assured.

Her smile broke through again.  She’d been lightly clutching his fingers.  She reached for his other hand and did the same.  “I know I really shouldn’t be telling you this, but I honestly have never felt so sexually driven by someone in my life.”

Leaning into her ear, he whispered, “I have that affect on women.”  It probably wasn’t the right thing for him to say, but it was easier than explaining how much he could relate.

“Don’t be cocky,” she told him, her hand releasing his fingers and smoothing up his ribs.

God, he really liked it when she touched him.  Why was it so different with her?  He just couldn’t explain it.  “I’m sorry,” he whispered and kissed her cheek.  “I feel the same way.  I promise.” 

Before she could even react, he had hoisted her entire body up in his arms—his hands gripping into her thighs as her legs automatically curled around him.  He turned them and marched back to the bed, where he dropped her carefully onto the mattress, her dress flying up to her hips. 

Damn she was hot.

He kicked off his shoes and let his knees sink into the mattress between her legs.  Her knees were bent and her head and shoulders were lifted, as she’d propped the weight of her upper body up with her elbows.  Her eyes hadn’t left him for a second.

When he was close enough, she hooked both her feet behind his knees and attempted to pull him down against her.  When that didn’t work, she was grabbing at his arms, but he wasn’t giving in that easy.  He just wanted to look at her for a minute, all sexy and vulnerable.  He loved how comfortable she was with herself.  He loved how comfortable she seemed with him.

“Are you still trying to stall so this doesn’t seem like a booty call?” she finally asked with a sexy half smile.

He found himself smiling in response as he shook his head no.  “I was just absorbing the moment.”

She smirked what almost sounded like a snort. 

With a quickness he dropped to his hands and playfully nipped at her neck with his teeth, not even really touching her.  “Is that funny to you?”

“I think you’re kind of a funny guy,” she remarked.

“How so?”  He brought his mouth to her neck again, but this time he touched her with his lips.

She hummed lightly in reaction to his touch.  “You just keep surprising me, that’s all.”

“Because I say things like I’m absorbing the moment?”

She nodded.  “Yes.”

“Deep down I’m really a hopeless romantic…”

She outright chuckled.  Obviously she didn’t believe him.

“It’s just hard to find a girl that deserves that kind of attention,” he continued.

“Oh…”  she drew it out.  Instead of delving deeper, her hand found his stomach, sneaking under his t-shirt that gravity had hanging off of him somewhat.  She was already pushing the material up his chest.

Kissing the corner of his mouth, he said, “You’ll see.”

 

Ellie realized in a quick instant that his talk was just a little too serious.  She really liked him, but the rational part of her brain kept reminding her of all her personal struggles at the moment.  Of course, she only let those thoughts surface long enough to get off the subject of JC and romance.

Maybe she just didn’t want to get her hopes up.

When his mouth captured hers in a steamy kiss only seconds later, all thoughts of anything immediately went away and her attention returned to only the desire to have him.  Both of her hands slipped up his muscular back as his weight settled on her just enough to satisfy but not so much as to crush her. 

A few minutes later when he finally broke for air, she fluidly slipped his t-shirt right over his head.  “Your body is amazing,” she heard herself telling him.

At the same time, his hands were inside of her dress moving up her hips.  “Your body is more than amazing,” he replied.  “How do we get this dress off?”

She swore that his eyes nearly popped out of his head when she pulled the top of it down below her breasts, exposing herself completely.  “Pull from the bottom,” she explained.

He did just that, leaving her in a simple black thong.  “Dammit…” he breathed.  Then the tip of his tongue was circling around her nipple, just before he took the whole thing in his mouth.  Her eyes were shut tight and her desire was through the roof!

“I hope you brought enough condoms,” she whispered against him as his face nuzzled into the side of her neck.

“How many is enough?” he asked, the smile enough for her to feel it against her skin.

“A lot.”

© BrandyRae 2008

Chapter 11 by BrandyRae
The Good Neighbor by BrandyRae
Chapter 11

 

It was close to 10:30 when they finally decided they were hungry.  JC eyed Ellie closely as she hopped out of bed to grab the leather bound hotel book that held the room service menu inside of it.  He probably should have been a gentleman and offered to do that for her, but she’d got up so quick and the opportunity to watch her walk around naked was just too tempting to pass up.  His eyes didn’t leave her frame for a second.

She was humming when she slipped back into the sheets, plopping the book down in between them.  “I want beef,” she told him.

He smirked goofily, a dozen comebacks flying through his head about how he’d be more than happy to give her more beef, but he somehow managed to refrain, knowing that would just be WAY too cheesy.  “So you worked up a little bit of an appetite, then?” he said instead.

“You could say that,” she replied with a suggestive grin.  “Besides, I need protein to keep me going for the rest of the night.”

JC was smirking again, this time with appreciation.  “You keep talking like that and I may never let you leave.”

Her non response only made him wonder if some of his comments during the evening had been a little too much for her.  There was this constant struggle going on inside his brain, between the part of him that wanted to hold back and the other part of him that wanted to tell her all the crazy things he was feeling—and he was feeling A LOT.

Flipping through the menu, he picked up the phone.  It took less than two minutes to order two filet mignon dinners. 

Once that had been accomplished, he tossed the book and curled into her side, planting kisses up her shoulder.  “I like you naked,” he found himself saying.  She was shifting towards him, his palm automatically smoothing to her side and then around to the small part of her back. 

“I like YOU naked,” she agreed with a sexy smirk, before pressing one moist kiss to his mouth while hooking one of her legs over his, their bodies even closer because of the action.

“I like you too much, Ellie, and I know that I’m freaking you out a little by saying these things but I just can’t help it.”

“It does freak me out a little,” she admitted, as they laid so close, staring each other face to face, their bodies tangled together.  “But what freaks me out even more is that I’m feeling the same way and more than anything I feel like it’s sort of wrong for me to have these feelings about someone already.”

JC knew that had not been easy for her to get out.  If by nothing else, but by the enormous sigh she let out afterward.

He smoothed his hand down her head, brushing her dark hair from her face.  “I know that I don’t really know much about that whole situation, but what I do know is that you have absolutely no reason to feel wrong or guilty about what it is that’s going on between us.”

“I know that I shouldn’t, but there’s this little part of my brain that keeps telling me I’m crazy.”

He chuckled quietly and kissed the top of her cheek.  “You’re so amazing.  Why would anyone let you go?”

“JC…” she said it so softly that it barely registered.  “I know that we’re lying in bed naked and everything, but you’re coming on just a little too strong right now.”

“Apparently your sex makes ME crazy.  I’m sorry.  I’ll stop.”  Hindsight was going to be kicking him in the ass the next day.  He was not about putting it all out there like that so soon.  What the hell was wrong with him?

“I’m sorry.  I don’t want to ruin our night together.  Please don’t take what I’m saying the wrong way.”

His hand braced at her jaw, he let his kiss tell her everything she needed to know.  “I get it,” he said after a moment.  “I totally understand and I’ll try harder to think before I speak.”

“Because I really do like you,” she continued, “and this…” she eyed the little air that was between them.  “It’s amazing.  YOU—I mean, the things YOU do to me… NEVER…  Seriously, NEVER has anyone EVER—I can’t even speak it’s so incredible.”

JC was smiling big, but he got the feeling he needed to stop her before she said more than she really wanted to.  So without even thinking he was rolling into her and kissing her deeply.  Her hands were all over him—his butt, his back, his sides and then his hair—as he situated his weight on top of her slender frame.  She felt so fucking good underneath him.  It was ridiculous. 

When he finally let her get a breath, she was talking again.  “This is exactly what I’m talking about.”

He shut her up with another kiss and said, “Stop talking.”

“Mmmm… Okay.”

His lips found her neck.  “That’s an order,” he mumbled against her skin.

“I’m not really good with orders,”  Ellie told him, meanwhile his lips were trailing down the center of her cleavage.  She took in a sharp breath as his hand managed to slip in between her thighs.  “Dammit.”

He’d moved on to pressing moist kisses to her stomach and she could totally feel the smile on his face as he did it.  He nipped at her hip bone and said, “You are so hot.  It’s okay to tell you that, right?”

“Yes.  Of course.”

He murmured a “good” against the lower half of her belly and continued with his journey.  His strong hands were gently spreading her legs.  She shivered at the feel of his breath.  But he didn’t do what she expected he was about to do, instead he kissed the inside crease of her left thigh and then the right.  His hands were braced right at her hips and she was practically squirming in anticipation. 

She watched as he kicked the sheets out of his way—to the floor pretty much—and then kissed his way down the inside of her leg, his hands following in a way that was completely soothing and erotic at the same time.  His lips made it all the way down the top of her foot, where he mumbled something about how “she had the prettiest toes,” which made her chuckle just a little, in a flirty, girly, completely-turned-on-kind-of-way.  Then he sucked her big toe right into his mouth—it was the strangest yet most sensual thing she’d ever felt in regards to her feet. 

Then he was bending her knee and crawling back up the length of her body, where his mouth came to hers in a hungry kiss.  Her breath seemed to be escaping her as he was taking her on another whirlwind journey of passion. 

“I think I want you now.”  Her words came out as sort of a whimper, which she had totally not meant to happen.

“You think?” He was breathing into her ear, his lips barely brushing against her earlobe.

“I think I know,” she corrected.

“Too bad.  Not yet,” he told her.

Her hands found his bare rear and squeezed his toned flesh.  “What do you mean not yet?”

“Not yet means not yet.  I’m not done playing with you,” he said, just before doing that little trick he was so damn good at—his tongue to her nipple.  She wanted to scream when he took the whole thing into his mouth.  Her breath was so heavy she could hardly inhale. 

“I’m not sure I can handle much more play…” she managed to mutter.  He was working on her other breast by that point. His hand slipped down her body, finding just exactly how ready she was, and she practically moaned the curse word that fell from her lips.

“Don’t try and handle it,” he finally told her.  “Just let go and enjoy what I’m doing to you.”

She was definitely enjoying it alright.  To the point she was about to completely explode.  She took one last glance at the top of his sexy, dark head as he was moving down her body again with his lips, and then collapsed into the pillow, closing her eyes and trying to prepare herself for the ride.

When his tongue finally smoothed into her sensitive flesh, she was instantly moaning and writhing and clawing at the sheets at her sides.  She knew instantly that she was going to come real fast whether she wanted to or not.  The pleasure he gave her was so incredible… no one had ever taken her to such a place so quickly, especially during round two!

Next thing she knew she was cursing to God, not able to control a single sound coming from her mouth.  Without even thinking she grabbed an extra pillow and covered her face, feeling the need to mute the groans of pleasure she was making.

JC quickly pulled it away, breaking away from the pleasure he was giving her just long enough to say, “Don’t you dare.”

So she gave in and let down what little bit of a guard she had left—panting and groaning and even breathing his name once or twice.  He didn’t stop for a second as her entire world turned into a blur, the only thing in focus being the enormous waves pleasure crashing in around her.   She shook and quaked and cursed some more and all the while he seemed to know just how to touch her so that the sensation wouldn't be too much—the perfect amount of pressure and touch—and not to mention he was humming against her, which was about the most erotic thing ever because it let her know how much her pleasure was pleasuring him.

Dammit.

She couldn’t move once it was over, not even a hand or a foot.  Her body was so relaxed it was like she had melted into the mattress.  JC laid down next to her on his stomach, partly touching her.  Then he kissed the top of her shoulder.  “You okay?”

All she could manage was a shake of the head—NO.

He smoothed one hand down the center of her body, pressing his palm against her still-throbbing center.  Her eyes closed automatically, as that last little touch finished off those last few pulses of pleasure.

His hand fell away and she found the energy to turn his direction.  He rolled over to his side and faced her, her hand instinctively smoothing into his soft hair.  “Wow,” was the only thing she could think to say.

He grinned something of accomplishment.  “Are you okay now?” he asked.

She leaned in and kissed him.  She didn’t care that there was a faint taste of her own body on him.  His lips were swollen and soft and she just wanted to kiss the hell out of him.

The strength of his hand smoothed along the curve of her thigh as she finally broke to answer his question.  “I’m slowly recovering.”

He hummed before delicately touching his mouth to hers.  “And we’ve just barely started…”

Her palm was pressed to his cheek when she spoke again.  “No one’s ever taken it that far,” she confessed.

His eyes seemed so gentle and caring as he looked at her with such adoration.  “What?”  His voice came out really soft and breathy.  “You mean that was the first time you’ve ever came during oral sex?”

Ellie nodded.  “I’ll be honest with you.  I’ve never had sex even remotely close to what I’ve had with you.”

 

Did she have any idea what hearing those types of things did to him?  JC was already feeling way too much for her, but when she confirmed how amazing their chemistry was by admitting stuff like that, he couldn’t help but feel like there was something seriously special going on between the two of them.

And he was probably going to smack himself later for saying what he was about to say, but he just had to.  “I hate to tell you this, but what happens between us… That’s how sex is supposed to be between two people” that really care about each other, he added in his head.

Her eyes closed and he was momentarily afraid that he’d crossed that line again that he’d said he wouldn’t cross anymore.  “I know you’re right,” she said instead.

“I’m not saying it always is,” he decided to add.  He definitely knew that from experience, but he wasn’t about to tell her all that.  “But when you share a connection with someone… and I know I said I wouldn’t say that stuff anymore, but wrong or right, you cannot argue that there is a definite connection.”

She smiled and pressed a simple kiss to his mouth.  “There’s definitely a connection.”

He was glad she was in agreement on that.  “I’m going to cross that line again and say that if the connection wasn’t there before, then you definitely shouldn’t be feeling bad about sharing that connection with me.”

Her hand smoothed down the side of his head and she practically whispered, “I know.”

“I’m not going to bring it up anymore,” he told her.

She was grinning still.  “Thanks.”

“When you’re ready,” he told her.

She kissed him again.  “I appreciate that.”

Then there was a knock on the door.  “Shit.”  He popped up quickly.  “That’s our food.”

“You better put some pants on,” she giggled.

He was already on it, jumping into the pair of jeans that had been on the floor.  Jogging to the door, he knew he had sex written all over his face, but it didn’t really matter as long as no one saw who the sex face had come from.  He rubbed both hands over his face and opened the door, letting the room service attendant wheel the cart into the main room.  He tried not to stand in front of the open door to save his privacy in case someone walked by, but it was too late as someone did walk by.  Two people actually.  A tall dark headed gentleman in a very expensive suit with a blonde bimbette attached to his arm.  Fortunately they paid no attention to JC’s open room door.  Unfortunately it only took half a second to recognize that it was Ellie’s ex-husband. 

Dammit.

JC wished that he didn’t have a clue as to what James Sanderson looked like, because he couldn’t imagine not telling her something so pertinent, but it was about the last news he wanted to deliver.

 

Ellie picked up JC’s shirt and pulled it over her head.  Then she went into the bathroom and regained her composure after all that had just happened between them.  She really wanted to let herself feel all the amazing things that he made her feel, but she just couldn’t shake the fact that it was too soon.  She wished her damn conscious would take a vacation or something. 

When she finally stepped into the main area of the suite, JC had just shut the door and turned to head her way.  His expression was one of surprise as he caught sight of her.  It made her kind of nervous all the sudden.  “What?” she asked immediately.

“There’s something I have to tell you.  I don’t want to tell you, but I wouldn’t feel right NOT telling you.”

Now she was really nervous.  “What?” she asked again.

“Sit down,” he told her.

She did.  JC took seat directly across from her.  “Wine?”

Ellie nodded.  “You’re making me nervous.”

“I’m sorry.  This really sucks, though.”

“What?  Tell me.”

“When the door was open and the waiter was in here, I saw your ex-husband walking down the hall with some woman.”

Her eyes rolled up towards the ceiling.  “No wonder why he never brought me here.  This must be where he brings all his whores.”

JC was just looking at her kind of flabbergasted. 

“I’m okay,” she told him.  “I’m not surprised.  I really don’t want to run into him though.”

“I’ll make sure that doesn’t happen.”  He reached across the table and grabbed her hand.

“I’m sorry that I have so much baggage.”

“Sweetheart, please… Don’t apologize.”

Did he know what that did to her when she heard it?  She was falling for him in the fastest way possible—and it both scared the shit out of her and excited her beyond belief.

 

© BrandyRae 2008

Chapter 12 by BrandyRae
The Good Neighbor by BrandyRae
Chapter 12

It was still dark when Ellie woke up.  She may have vowed to stay awake all night, but by two a.m. she was falling asleep in his arms.  It was a vulnerable position she’d let herself get in, but when he’d opened himself up and invited her to lay her head on his chest—his arm curled around her and his fingers stroking through her hair—she just couldn’t pass it up.

Soon after she’d been out like a light.  It just felt so damn comfortable lying with him. 

Maybe that’s why she’d woke back up.  Her subconscious wanted to consciously enjoy it.

Her head wasn’t on his chest anymore.  Instead she was on her tummy, right beside him, one of her legs tangled in between both of his and her arm pressed into stomach, as he was on his side, facing her direction.  He was sound asleep—and the sound of his subtle breathing was probably the most soothing and comforting thing she’d ever listened to.

Why did he make her feel so safe and so secure?  So comfortable?

The news of James being in the hotel with some bimbo should have really upset her.  She knew instantly when it didn’t that she was totally over her marriage.  The feeling—or lack of feeling—shouldn’t have surprised her, but the fact that it was coming so easy… well, that wasn’t what she’d expected divorce to be like at all. 

But really… who the hell was she kidding?  Her marriage had been in shambles for the greater part of it.  James just wasn’t the marrying type.  It was clear to her now that the only reason he’d got married in the first place is because it was the one thing in his life he hadn’t done.

God, how stupid was she?

Thankfully that was all in the past.  Now she just needed to figure out a way to not let her past screw up her future. 

JC’s hand slipped across her lower back as an appealing “mmmm…” sounded from his vocal chords.

“Are you awake?” she asked him.

“Not really,” he answered groggily, his voice husky and deep—and incredibly sexy.  “Do you want me to be?”

A content grin appeared at her lips.  The chemistry between them was simply amazing.  She couldn’t deny it, not even if part of her felt like she should.  “I think I’m good for now,” she told him, a hum of satisfaction mingled in her tone.

His touch slipped up between her shoulder blades as he leaned in and pressed a kiss to her temple.  “Just checking,” he sort of mumbled.

Ellie found herself curling even closer to him.  Her face may have been buried into the pillow, but she was completely smiling.  She couldn’t remember ever feeling so satisfied—both emotionally and physically.


It would have been great if the next morning would have consisted of sleeping in, breakfast in bed, more sex… but that simply was not the case.  At 8:30 Ellie’s cell phone was ringing like crazy, and just a few minutes after, JC’s followed.  It wasn’t for anything major.  They hadn’t been busted in the tabloids or something crazy like that.  It was just simply a Wednesday morning and people were working.  They’re own, separate, people were working.

Jill had been busting her butt to get things going for Ellie, and JC apparently had his own prospects, although Ellie didn’t have time to ask what.  All she knew was that she had an eleven a.m. meeting with her financial advisor, then she was supposed to meet Jill for lunch to discuss some business opportunity, and then the new assistant was meeting Ellie at her house at 2:00 p.m.

It was going to be one helluva crazy day.

After a half an hour of phone calls, they both just kind of looked at each other without a whole lot to say.  “I need to go,” Ellie spoke first, sitting at the table, in his t-shirt, where she’d been jotting notes down on the complimentary hotel pad with the complimentary matching pen.

“I do too.  We can’t leave together, though.” 

“That’s true.  How much time do you have?” she asked him.  He was on the edge of the bed, in nothing but his black boxer brief underwear with his knee pulled up on the mattress as he was scrolling through an email on his Blackberry.

“Eleven thirty.”

“Well, I only have till eleven and I’m a girl, so I get to leave first.”

His eyes caught hers, an amused grin across his lips.  “Because ladies first?”

Ellie smirked.  “No, because it takes ladies longer.”

“Oh.  Well, no doubt there.  You win.”

She shook her head lightly, having the strongest urge to hop across the room and jump him, but somehow managing to refrain.  His sight had returned to his handheld, but the sexy grin hadn’t faded.  He was so damn appealing.  Did he have any clue?

She was still watching him as he looked back up, his hand running over the top of his unkempt head.  “Are you going to shower?”

Ellie nodded. 

He flashed her a thin, contemplative grin.  She could almost see all the possibilities running through his mind.  It was just after nine.  Her appointment was at eleven.  That really didn’t leave much time.  Of course, if she went straight to her appointment from the hotel…

Without a second thought she popped out of her chair and strutted right past him, to the bathroom.  She didn’t even look back to see if he was following.  Instead she turned on the water, yanked the shirt off her head, tossed it, and got in.

 

JC knew an invitation when he saw one.  He was immediately chasing after her, stepping out of his underwear in a hurry, rushing to join her.  The thought of not having her one more time was just unacceptable. 

Stepping into the large open shower he positioned himself directly behind her and smoothed one arm around to the front of her waist, the other went to her wet head, as he pulled her hair out of the way and pressed his mouth to the back of her neck.  Her body seemed to tremble at his touch, just as his lips were trailing away from the sensitive flesh below her ear.

Twisting in his arms, she didn’t stop until she faced him, both of her hands pressing into his cheeks as she raised up on her toes to meet him face to face.  His eyes closed automatically as she met him with a hungry kiss.  He squeezed her body as tight as he could, her wet breasts pressed into his chest as her fingertips were now dancing down the length of his back.

Damn.  He really didn’t want their time to end already. 

Bracing his touch at her jaw, he broke away and said, “This really fucking sucks.”  He hated the fact that for once all he wanted was a normal relationship and it was so completely out of reach.  He didn’t want to sneak around.  He wanted to take her places and treat her the way she deserved to be treated—instead of sneaking off to a hotel just so they could be together for one night.

How the hell did this happen so fast?

She agreed with an “I know” and was kissing him again, already, and just like that he was hard as a fucking rock.  Next thing he knew, he’d hoisted her up and was easing his way inside of her, her legs locking around his hips.  Realizing instantly that the tiled floor was just a little too slick for his footing—as she was already riding him like it would be the last time they’d feel each other ever again—he told her to “hold on,” not that she wasn’t already, and eased them down to the built-in tiled seat.

Ellie seemed to accommodate him no matter how their position changed, JC inhaling a sharp breath as he could feel that this time was going to be short and sweet.  They’d moved mostly out of the water, the droplets hitting him only from the knee down as he stretched his legs out, trying to make things more comfortable for her.  The whole time he studied her face.  Her eyes were closed most of the time, her head tilted slightly back as her teeth dug lightly into her bottom lip.  She was bracing her weight with her hands pressed into the tops of his legs.  She was truly amazing—especially when she was so obviously enjoying him.

Closing his eyes, he breathed in another heavy breath, trying to ward off his approaching orgasm.  Then he wrapped both arms around her—throwing off the amazing rhythm she’d had, but that was okay for the moment—and squeezed her again tight.  His face pressing into her hair, he whispered against her, “I am about to come so fucking hard.”

She flashed him a sexy smile and said, “Good.”  Then she took his hand and smoothed it down her stomach, not stopping until his thumb pressed into her moist flesh, just above where their bodies joined together.  He swore he watched her eyes roll back into her head as he gently kneaded the pad of his thumb against that million dollar spot.

 

It barely took the combination of his touches and Ellie was immediately slipping over the edge.  Leaning in she kissed him as best as she could, down below her walls were tightening around him, intensity shooting through her body like a fourth of July fireworks finale.

“Oh my fucking god,” he was cussing against her lips and it only made her pleasure soar that much more.  Why did he do such crazy things to her?  Could anyone ever do for her what he did?  This was ridiculous.

She wanted to scream when it hit—a rush of extreme satisfaction flooding her from head to toe.  The pulse was amazingly strong—and so were his arms as he kept her body so close against him.  He just felt so incredibly good—every single part of him.

She didn’t want to move.  She just wanted to stay in that moment forever.

But finally, tenderly, he kind of nudged her cheek with his nose and then told her softly, “My leg is cramping up.”

Blinking a couple times, she hoped it might clear the fog she’d seemed to step in—or maybe that was just steam from the shower?  Hopefully?  Either way, she maneuvered her body off of him, realizing instantly that her legs were kind of wobbly.  Quickly she sat down beside him, eyeing her own naked flesh and then his. 

That’s when she noticed.  “Shit, JC.”

His head turned to her kind of slow, like he was still recovering.  “Huh?”

“Look at yourself,” she told him.

He did, repeating her reaction.

Standing up, Ellie let out a deep breath and said, “I don’t have time to worry about it right now.”


By lunch Ellie’s meeting with her financial advisor was already a blur.  Mainly because she’d hardly tuned in once during the forty minute sit-down with Fred Wallace.  The only point she really got out of the whole thing was that she needed to find a way to make some money.  Attorney’s fees alone could drain her.  That was a rather depressing thought.

So she shoved it to the back of her head and thought about the other troubling thing on her mind.  The ever-so-present memory of she and JC having amazing sex, without a condom, in the shower that morning.  She’d already called and made an appointment with her ob-gyn between meeting with Fred and driving to the restaurant.  It was probably a good time to get back on birth control.  She didn’t plan to stop having sex with JC anytime soon and they did not need to take any chances.  Luckily she felt pretty safe with the little oops that had happened that morning.  She was so close to the end of her cycle that she’d actually been worried that she would start during their night together.  That hadn’t happened, but she knew her body so well that she knew “aunt flow” would arrive before the day was over.

They’d got lucky this time, but they couldn’t afford for a slip to happen a second time.

When Jill finally slid into the booth across from Ellie—at their somewhat private table in the back of one of the less trendy restaurants in Los Angeles—Ellie was letting out a much needed sigh, just before taking a sip of her Diet Pepsi.    

“What?”  Jill was already asking, situating her bag and briefcase into the booth beside her.

“It’s been sort of crazy this morning.”

Jill smirked, sweeping her long crimson hair back behind her shoulders.  “Why?  Because you had to leave that hot stud you’ve been sleeping with?”

That was certainly part of it.  “We had sex without a condom this morning,” Ellie immediately confessed.

Of course, Jill’s eyes nearly popped out of her head.  “What?  Are you fucking crazy?”

“It wasn’t on purpose,” Ellie clarified.

“Still.  What if you’re pregnant?”  She asked as quietly as she possibly could while still managing to get her tone across.

“I’m not.  I’m getting ready to start any minute.”

“Okay.  Next question.  What if he’s not exactly clean?  Know what I mean?”

“Jill…”

“What?  The guy’s obviously been around.  I’m not trying to take anything away from whatever it is that’s going on between you two.  He seems nice and I like him and everything,” Jill lowered her voice even more, “but you can’t go around having unprotected sex with the guy.  For all you know he could have fucked thousands of groupies and club sluts.”

Covering her eyes, Ellie found herself pressing her thumb and her middle finger into her temples.  “Come on, Jill.  Seriously…”  She said, peeking out from under her palm.

“Just ask him to get tested.  It’s not that big of a deal.”

Now Ellie was pinching the bridge of her nose while trying her best to take in deep breaths. 

“It’s really not that big of a deal…” Jill repeated.

Ellie finally looked up.  “For you.”

“Or you.  If he gets upset about it then he’s not someone you should be sleeping with anyway.”

Why did she feel like letting her head collapse onto the table all the sudden?  “Okay, so how would I word something like that?”

Flipping open the menu, Jill sat up straight and looked across the table at Ellie.  “As nicely as possible.”

The look Ellie shot her friend then was incredulous to say the least.  “No shit.  But how exactly?”

Jill gave her a funny look and waved her hand through the air.  “Suggest that you both go get tested.”

“I’ve never been tested for anything like that.”

For the second time in the past five minutes Jill’s eyes nearly popped out of her head.  “El, you’ve got to be fucking kidding me.”

“No.  I’m not.”

“You know James was sleeping around, right?  I mean, that’s common knowledge.”

Of course, at that moment Ellie was reminded of how JC had saw James with the bimbo at the hotel, but she figured that tidbit of information could wait.  “Yes, of course.  I’m not stupid.”

“Are you sure?”  Jill asked dubiously.

“Stop making me feel worse,” Ellie told her, dropping her sight to her menu.  “The server is coming.  Behave yourself.”

They’d been in the middle of ordering when Ellie’s phone buzzed against the table where it was sitting.  She waited until the waitress was gone to check it. 

“JC?”  Jill was asking.

Ellie figured it was the grin that gave her away.  She nodded.

“What does it say?”

Looking up, she decided not to tell Jill exactly.  “I think he’s kind of freaking out about this morning.”

“That’s a good sign.  He’s human.”

“Of course he’s human,” Ellie remarked.  “You told me you thought he was a good guy for me.  Why are you being like this?”

“El, sweetie, I’m just trying to be the voice of reason here.  You’re looking pretty lovesick and that’s a little scary.”

Ellie’s face immediately went blank.  “We just have good chemistry, that’s all…” she defended.  Unfortunately it was a pretty weak defense.

“Look…” Jill said, “I just know the pattern.  That’s all.  You fall for a guy and then you let him walk all over you.  I don’t want that to happen to you again.”

“I don’t want that either.”

“So just be aware of it and it won’t.”

Ellie just looked at her kind of funny.  “Be aware of what?”

“Be aware that you have a tendency to do that.”

This was turning out to be the worst lunch ever.  “Weren’t we supposed to talk about a business deal?”


When Ellie got home she didn’t have much time before Daphne was due to show up, but regardless she sat down in front of her computer, pulled up Google and typed in JC Chasez.  Of course, a slew of different web sites popped up.  The first few looked pretty legitimate—record label, official page, yada yada yada.  She found one that said something about for the fans by the fans, closed her eyes, and clicked.

It was slightly weird seeing his face pop up across her computer monitor in true glossy pixilation.  She tried her best to not look at the image and skimmed over the links.  She didn’t see anything about girlfriends, but there was something about rumors.  She went for that one.

As soon as she saw the first, very old, picture of him with some girl who looked to definitely be a girlfriend, she realized it wasn’t what she wanted to see and immediately closed the window.  Then she let out an exhausted breath and carefully laid her forehead against the desk.

God… she was falling for this man—way too ridiculously fast.

How in the hell could she ask him to get an HIV test?  She was a fairly open person, but that was just—well, too much. 

Somehow she would have to think of a way to lightly bring it up in a beat around the bush kind of way.  That was the only scenario she could sort of deal with.

She’d just barely managed to lift her head up when the doorbell rang.  The time on her computer said 1:46.  Of course Daphne was early.

Trying to pull her emotions together, she hopped up and trotted towards the door.  She was still wearing the dress that she’d had on the night before.  Of course, it really hadn’t got much wear so it was technically still clean, but even so, she’d meant to change when she got home.  She just hadn’t got around to it yet.

Unlocking the front door, she yanked it open trying her best to look somewhat professional, when she was immediately knocked of kilter, finding not Daphne at all, but JC.  And not only was he on her doorstep, but his car was in her driveway.

Quickly she pulled him inside.  “What are you doing here?  Are you crazy?”

“Maybe a little bit,” he grinned sort of guilty like as she pushed the door shut behind him.

“Your car’s in my driveway.  You must really be crazy.”

He shook his head no.  “Actually, that’s a very popular vehicle for this area.  I could be anyone driving that car.”

Ellie just shook her head.  Then she smoothed both hands up the front of his chest and kissed him.  Instantly his arms curled around her waist, then they were up her back and her neck—his fingertips slipping into her hair.

When he spoke a few minutes later, his lips were moving against her with each word.  “I don’t know what you’ve done to me, but I can’t stop thinking about you.”

Ellie was smiling when she kissed him again.  “Me neither,” she mumbled.

“I’m a little worried about this morning,” he said, “but it’s fine.  We’ll figure it out.  Whatever.”

She was still smiling.  “It’s fine,” she told him.  “You don’t have to worry.”

She’d backed away enough that he could shoot her a funny look. 

“I started.”

His questioning look didn’t fade.  “Today?”

She nodded.

JC let out the longest winded breath she’d yet to hear escape from him.  For some reason, it made her chuckle. 

“Jill said I should ask you to get tested.”  She wasn’t sure how she’d managed to say it, but it just sort of came right out.  Of course, putting in the context that it was Jill’s idea made it a little bit easier. 

His brow sort of furrowed in between his dark blue eyes.  “You think I infected you with some disease or something?”

“Not me… Jill.”

He gave her one slow contemplative nod.  Then he said, “that’s fine.”

“Really?  You’re not mad?”

He shook his head.  “No.  I’d probably ask me too… and don’t take this the wrong way, but you should too… you know, get tested.”

Ellie nodded.  “I already have an appointment with my doctor so I’ll just do it all in one shot.”

His hands came up to her jaw as he tipped her chin and kissed her lips. 

When the knock came through the door seconds later, they’d been standing up against it—JC specifically.  They nearly jumped in response.

“Now that’s my new assistant.  Get behind the door so she doesn’t see you right away.”

She watched as he kind of shook his head, but did it anyway.

Once again Ellie tried her best to look professional.  She pulled open the door and instantly wanted to drop.  Luckily she was still hanging on to the handle, or else she may have done just that.  There was another black Mercedes parked outside—on the street this time—and on her front step was her ex-husband.

She was completely flabbergasted.  “James?  What are you doing here?”

“We need to talk,” he said sternly and practically pushed his way inside. 

He was tall, stocky and overbearing—always had been.  She just hadn’t noticed it as much until then.  He was also a bit intimidating—on purpose.

Ellie took a step back and eyed JC nervously.  The look on his face was uncomfortable to say the least.  James had yet to notice her company.  She figured she better say something before he figured it out on his own.  He didn’t really have a temper, but he could be a bit of an asshole.

“James.  I think you probably know JC Chasez formerly of the group *NSYNC?”  This was seriously about the most awkward situation she could have ever come up with.

Ellie noticed instantly that the awareness of JC threw James off a bit.  The expression on his face turned sort of confused.  “Yes—uh—good to see you.   JC, I hope you don’t mind, but I really need to talk to my wi—um, Ellie, for a minute... alone.  Can you excuse us?”

Before attempting a response, JC’s eyes met hers.  She nodded as unnoticeably as possible.  “I’ll just be in the kitchen,” he finally said.  Then he gave her another long look as he strode past and out of the room.

James looked at her kind of funny and pointed towards the direction JC had left.  “Are you?”

Ellie shrugged.  “It’s not really any of your business, is it?”

The older man’s dark eyes rolled with annoyance.  “Look,” he said.  “I’ll make this short and to the point.  I don’t want to go to court so tell me what you want and it’s done.”

For not the first time that day Ellie was slightly flabbergasted.  “Why?”

“I think you know why.  Do we really need to get into it?”

“Fine.  I want double.”

His expression was blank.  “Double the twenty five?” he asked.

She nodded, still standing firm, close to the front door.  James was a  good ten steps away and she wanted to keep him that way.

“Fine.  I’ll have my lawyer draw up the paperwork tomorrow.  There’s just one condition…”

“What’s that?”

“You have to agree to not discuss with anyone—the press or otherwise—any details you may have been privy to regarding my business, or our personal life, while we were married.”

“That’s fine.”

“I think we’re done then.”  He moved towards her, heading for the door.  She instantly stepped out of the way.

“Were you having me followed?” she asked.

He just looked at her funny.  “Do you think I would waste the energy on something like that?”

Funny, of all things, those words stung more than anything.  She just shook her head.  “Not really.”

“Enjoy the rest of your life,” he finished, opening the door and leaving just as quickly as he’d entered.

Ellie counted to five and then loudly blurt out the word “asshole.”

JC must have taken that as his cue to come out because he popped back into the room seconds later.  He looked incredibly confused.  Of course, she didn’t have a chance to explain anything to him because there was a knock on the door again.  Only this time it really was the new assistant.

     

© BrandyRae 2008

Chapter 13 by BrandyRae
The Good Neighbor by BrandyRae
Chapter 13

JC had barely heard the conversation between Ellie and her ex.  Okay… Who was he kidding?  He’d been just around the corner listening to the whole thing. 

It may have ended sounding true and good, but at this point JC trusted the guy about as far as he could throw him.  Considering James Sanderson was over 6 foot tall and probably 225 pounds, that didn’t say much.

A big part of him wanted to go in the room and shake her back into reality, because he could hear the scattered tone to her voice as she rambled on to the new assistant.  The other, more logical, part of his brain was hesitant to go into the other room BECAUSE of the new assistant.  Ellie had yet to witness a female freak out upon seeing him—or worse, totally hit on him.  Not that he was assuming that would happen, but it definitely could.  The best scenario would be for him to sneak out quietly, but he couldn’t do that without getting in a few words with her first.

He was just about to call her on the phone when she came scurrying around the corner, practically running into him.  She was flushed; and he wanted to grin over the fact  that she was STILL wearing the same dress as the night before.  Unfortunately he also found himself wondering if she’d at least thrown on a sweater when she’d met with her financial guy earlier that morning.

Damn… He didn’t want to have those type of feelings—already!

He shook the thought away quickly.  “I know you’re going crazy inside right now, but you need to get it together,” he told her.

“Was that the craziest thing ever?  Did you hear what he said?”  She was whispering, this giddy look in her eyes, like a five year old in a toy store.

“Don’t get excited until you see it in a legal document.  You need to call your attorney right away.”

The giddiness instantly faded, irritation replacing it.  “You just had to burst my bubble, didn’t you?”

He found himself grinning before he replied.  “I’ve been trying ever since you confessed to living in one for the past 5 years, or whatever it was…”

The irritation in her features disappeared in an instant.  “You’re doing a pretty good job with that,” she grinned sort of flirty like and brushed her fingers down his arm.  “I’ll go make that call.”

“Good idea.  Where is the new assistant because I’d like to sneak out without her seeing me.”

Her smile seemed to turn even more playful after hearing his words.  “Afraid she might be a lovesick fan?”

She may have been teasing, but that was exactly what he was afraid of.  “It happens more than you think.”

“Well that would be a problem, wouldn’t it?”

He nodded.  “So we’ll meet another time if that’s okay?”

Instead of answering, she stepped closer and inched up on her toes to kiss his cheek.  “I’ll go show her around so you can sneak out the front door, but only if you promise to come back tonight.” 

She was still close enough that he was able to lean in and kiss her full on the lips.  “I think I’m available,” he grinned.


After the tour of the property, Ellie found herself looking out the window to see if JC’s car was no longer in her driveway.  Of course she knew it wasn’t, but she still looked anyway. 

She got Daphne settled in the office—where she’d be spending the majority of her time—and put her to work on getting the room organized.  Then she went to the kitchen and sat down to call Mr. GQ Attorney.  Not surprisingly, he wasn’t available, so she had to leave a detailed message.

Next thing she knew she was dialing JC’s cell phone.  The sad part was she’d somehow managed to commit the number to memory—and she normally didn’t even dial it because it was stored in her phone. 

He answered after one short ring with a long, drawn out “Yes?”

It took half a second for her to be reminded how much the sound of his sexy voice made her smile.  She could talk to him for hours.  “I was thinking maybe I might cook dinner tonight,” she told him.

“Is that an invitation?”

“Yes, I think it is.”  She was still smiling.

“In that case, I accept, but it will probably be eight before I can get there.  Is that too late?”

Considering it had been 10:30 when they ate the night before, how could she say it was too late?  “No.  That’s fine.  I guess you’re not home, then?”  Maybe she was asking more than she should, but it had all come out before she’d had the chance to think about it.

“No, I’m on my way to meet my manager and then I have to do some work in the studio—not mine,” he added, “but I’ll be done before 8:00 and I’ll come straight there for dinner.  Sound good?”

“Yep.  Sounds perfect,” she told him.

“Great.  What are we having?”

“I haven’t got that far yet,” she smirked.

“Okay,” he sort of chuckled.  “I’ve gotta go.  I’ll see you tonight.”

“Okay, bye.”

“Bye.”

 


After a trip to the grocery store and making the decision of what to cook—her recipe list really wasn’t that detailed—she settled into the kitchen and got to work, realizing that besides Chinese food and steak, she really didn’t know what JC liked to eat.  She’d settled on her recipe for beef sirloin tips with mushrooms in a cream sauce and fresh green beans with pine nuts and bacon.  They were pretty common foods so she figured she was safe.  Besides, she got the recipe from one of the top chefs in Los Angeles.

 

She’d also picked up a fairly nice bottle of wine.  She knew he liked that.

The thought hadn’t escaped her that as far as sex was concerned, she was sort of out of commission, but she’d be happy if they could just have a nice intimate and relaxing meal.  Besides, the past few times they’d been together they hadn’t done much besides have sex—not that that was bad or anything…  but she definitely didn’t want that to be all there was between them.

Of course, now she was thinking in terms of a relationship and as far as she knew, they didn’t really have one.  Maybe that was something they needed to discuss…

Nah.

Not yet.  Her brain was going just a little bit crazy with all the new emotions going on inside her body.  They were just friends—very friendly friends who enjoy having sex with each other—A LOT.  It would probably be best to keep it that way, even if it did look like her divorce would be moving along a lot faster than she initially thought.  Until JC said otherwise she’d do her best to keep that “friends” mindset. 


It was twenty after eight and JC knew he needed to at least text Ellie to let her know he was running late.  Unfortunately he was in the recording booth and his cell phone was not.  By the time he was finally able to break, it was 8:35.  He immediately went to check his Blackberry.

He was surprised when he found that he didn’t have a voice mail.  Instead there was a text message.  It said simply, Are you still coming over?  I burnt the food.

Instantly he was chuckling.  Shaking his head, he plopped down in the empty seat between Mac, who had shown up about a half hour earlier, and Steve, who was working with him on the track.

“What?” Mac was already asking.

JC felt the need to be completely honest.  “I think I’ve met my dream woman.”

Mac stared unconvincingly.  “Now what would make you think that?”

“I was supposed to be at her house at eight for dinner.  It’s after 8:30.  How would most women react to that?”

Mac shrugged.  “Pissed off.”

JC nodded.  “This is the message I got—Are you still coming over?  I burnt the food,” he read it off to them.

“Sounds like a trick if you ask me,” Steve chimed in.  “She’s just trying to make you feel guilty without getting too psycho.  Women are smart.  They know when it’s too early to get pissed off.”

JC didn’t think that at all.  In fact, he didn’t even respond.  He just hit the button to dial her number.  When she answered after only a couple of rings, she was practically groaning into the phone.  “I totally ruined dinner,” she said instantly.

There was no way he could hold back the smile, even if his friends were going to give him tremendous shit over it once he got off the phone.  “It’s okay.  Don’t worry about it.”

“The damn attorney called just as I started cooking and then I got stuck on the phone for half an hour.  Don’t these people believe in regular business hours?”

“Last time I checked, no.  How did that go?”

“I’ll tell you when you get here.  Are you still coming over?”

He wanted to say something that would let her know how much he couldn’t wait to see her again, even though they’d only been a part a few hours, but he knew it was a bad idea.  So instead he told her simply, “Yeah, we’re just finishing up.  Sorry, the session ran over.”

“I kinda had a feeling that when you said eight you really meant nine,” she remarked.

In his head, big flashing neon lights were sending major conflicting signals. Either she really was the perfect woman, or she was definitely too good to be true.  He hoped it wasn’t the latter.  “I guess you know me better than I realized,” he smirked.

 

Ellie started to tell him that really she just knew the type, but decided against it.  She didn’t ever want to refer to JC in the same context as her ex-husband, even if she did sense that same workaholic quality.  There was nothing wrong with working a lot.  That hadn’t been the problem with her marriage at all.  Besides, when she’d actually had a career—back in the day—she’d been a bit of a workaholic herself.  It didn’t take a rocket scientist to see how passionate JC was about his music.  The last thing she wanted to be was the annoying girl who got in the way.

“I guess I do,” she said after a brief pause.  “I’m not sure if that’s good or bad.”

She heard voices in the background and it donned on her that he wasn’t alone.  Not that she’d thought differently, she just hadn’t thought about it, period.  “Uh, yeah… I have a response to that, but I think I’ll wait to give it.”  He was sort of chuckling when he spoke.  “I’m leaving in ten minutes.  Do you want me to pick up some food?”

“Please.”

“Do you have a preference?”

“It doesn’t matter,” she told him.  “Whatever’s on the way.”

“You’re too easy,” he remarked lightly.

“You’re lucky I don’t take offense to that,” she shot back.  Of course, she was being completely playful.

“Shit…”  She heard him push a breath through his nose.  “I didn’t mean it like that.”

Ellie was giggling.  “Just hurry up.  I’m hungry.”

“You got it, baby.  I’ll see you soon.”

Chuckling, she said “bye” and hung up the phone.

 

JC knew as soon as his call ended that both men were staring at him.  “What?” he asked naively.

Mac just shook his head.  “Nothing.”

“I know.  I like her.  I can’t help it,” JC blurted out in his own defense, his arm flailing in defeat.

Steve chuckled while Mac shook his head even more.  “I haven’t seen you like this since—”

“I know,” JC stopped the man before he made reference to JC’s ex girlfriend.  “I know…” he repeated.

“It’s cool,” Mac continued.  “I hope it works out for you.”

JC did too.  The ex Mac had referred to hadn’t turned out great at all.  She’d fell in love with another man while they were still dating.  Now the two were happily married.  For once, though, he didn’t feel so bitter about that. 


Over the course of the next nine days Ellie saw JC, at some point, during eight of them.  As much as she was trying to keep her mind stuck on the friends label, things were feeling quite the opposite.  Especially since more and more he was calling her baby and sweetheart, and other little sentimental words of endearment.

Things were probably happening too fast.

Probably.

Did that mean she was doing anything to stop it?  Absolutely not.  He made her feel good—and not just in the obvious, physical sense.

It was just after two p.m. on a Friday and she was pulling up her driveway after a business lunch that had lasted longer than she would have liked.  Daphne had been alone at the house since eleven.  The two were growing a fairly decent trust, but Ellie had been burnt by employees before.  It would take a long time before she was no longer wary.

Funny, Daphne still didn’t know that Ellie was secretly rendezvousing with JC Chasez formerly of *NSYNC.  Chances were she wouldn’t care at all.  The girl had been in L.A. for awhile.  Surely she’d been around tons of different celebrities.  But at this point, it really wasn’t anything that Daphne needed to know.  She was usually gone by the time JC came over, or vice versa.

Gabby, on the other hand, was completely butt hurt over the whole situation.  She’d actually had enough nerve to corner Ellie when she was pushing the trash out to the street the day before.  Ellie had wanted to punch the girl for leaking them to the tabloids.  Luckily there hadn’t been enough interest to keep the photogs hanging around—for now—but still… it could have been a completely horrible situation.

But, back to the conversation with Gabby… The woman had actually had enough nerve to come straight out and ask if she and JC were sleeping together.  Ellie very calmly and bluntly told the annoying woman YES.

Frankly, she didn’t think Gabby had expected such a boldly honest answer.  The woman had looked sort of dumbfounded for about half a minute.  Then she turned and walked her over-enhanced body back across the street, disappearing inside of her house.

Ellie had felt extremely proud of that moment. 

Maybe Gabby would leave them both alone—at least for a little bit, anyway.

She’d barely turned off her engine when the vision of JC pulling in to his driveway across the street surfaced upon her rear view mirror.  An instant grin popped to her lips.  They had what you might call a date later that evening—a public date.  They were going to an event.  She was nervous and excited about it both at the same time.

When she got out of the car, she realized that he’d been doing the same and they instantly caught sight of each other.  Even from across the street she could spot his goofy smile.  He waved and then pointed to himself and then to her house.  She guessed he was asking if he could stop by.  She nodded and he was on his way.

She watched his entire short trek across the street.  He was dressed like he’d just finished working out—gray sweats, sort of baggy, and a standard white t-shirt.  When he got close enough she realized he probably had just finished working out.  He was kind of smelly.  The horrible thing about it?  Even his bad smells smelled good. 

Dammit.  That was a bad sign in itself.

“Were you at the gym?” she asked, stopping him with her palm flattening to his chest.  He was ready to walk right into the house.  “Daphne’s in there.”

Nodding, he leaned in and kissed her quickly.  “This is about as gross as I get.  Now would be as good a time as any for us to meet.”

Ellie outright chuckled at that.  “I am going to fully ignore how incredibly arrogant that was.”

JC sort of bobbed his head from side to side.  “That was a little cocky of me, wasn’t it?”

She got the feeling that he’d purposely chosen the word cocky because it instantly sent other images to her brain and he knew it.  She shook her head, trying not to smile, although she knew that she was.  “Let’s go inside.”

He raised his brow.  “I’ll follow you.”

They went inside and Ellie led him straight to the office where Daphne was working on the computer—hopefully sifting through endless emails that Ellie never had time to check.  The blond looked up with a cordial grin.  “Hi,” she said instantly.  “Stephen called.  He said to call when you got in.”

Her eyes instantly widened.  Since her weird encounter with her ex husband, they’d been having a heck of a time getting in touch with his attorneys.  She was trying not to get discouraged about it.  She knew she shouldn’t have been surprised.  But if he didn’t want to get it over with quickly, then she didn’t understand why he’d shown up at her door to begin with.  She planned to keep believing that he’d given her his word until she discovered otherwise.

“I’ll call him in a minute,” she told Daphne.  “I wanted you to meet my neighbor, JC Chasez.”

He stepped towards the petite blond and extended a hand.  “Good to meet you,” Daphne said.

“You too,” JC remarked.

“Okay.  I’ll be in the kitchen if you need me.  You’re leaving at 4 still?”

Daphne nodded.  “Yes.  Unless you need me for something else.”

“No,” Ellie told her.  “That’s fine.”

“Okay.”

The two shuffled out of the office, Ellie leading the way into the kitchen.  JC helped himself to the refrigerator once they got there and pulled out a bottle of water.  Then he leaned his butt against the counter as he opened it and took a giant swig.

Sweaty or not, Ellie was having a helluva time keeping her hands off him.  He looked extremely touchable at the moment.  She really just wanted to drag him to her bedroom and have her way with him.

He noticed she was staring at him, a smile spreading to his cheeks as he tipped his chin down and removed the bottle from his lips.  “Are you ready for our date tonight?” he asked, looking ridiculously boyish and cute.

At that she did step closer to him.  Close enough to smooth both arms around his waist and catch him in sort of a hug.  “I am,” she smiled up at him as his hands locked behind her waist.

He tipped his head down again to catch her in a kiss.  “Good.  Want a preview?”

She giggled at his suggestion.  “Don’t tempt me.”

He was kissing her again.  “But it’s so fun,” he replied.

She laid her head against his chest.  “Is it bad that I don’t care that you smell?” She realized asking that was a bit risky, but more and more she was having a difficult time not expressing how much she was feeling towards him.

“Probably.” 

“Just checking.”

She felt his chest bounce as he let out a quiet smirk.  “I guess I should go shower then.”

“Probably,” she said this time.

He knocked the top of her head with his chin.  “I’ll pick you up at seven thirty.”

“You’re going to pick me up?  You don’t want to just meet me out front?”

“Pshh… what kind of a jerk do you think I am?  I will be at your door to pick you up at seven thirty… and I will not be late.”

“I’ll be ready,” she grinned.

He pressed one more soft kiss to her lips.  A minute later he was gone.

 

© BrandyRae 2008

Chapter 14 by BrandyRae
The Good Neighbor by BrandyRae
Chapter 14

When JC said that he wouldn’t be late, he meant it.  In fact, he was a minute early.  It was seven twenty nine when he knocked on the front door.  Ellie was ready—all except for the part that required her slipping her perfectly pedicured feet into her open-toe, nude-colored Mary Jane Manolo’s.

She figured she better enjoy the high-priced luxuries she already owned because at the rate she was forking out the cash, and not bringing any in, it would be awhile before she could bring herself to make any frivolous purchases.  She’d got quite the taste of the finer things in life while married to James, but her innately frugal side had always hung around—which is probably the reason why she was having such a difficult time watching her finances shrink.

Luckily she did have a lot of prospects in the works.  Surely one of them would pan out soon.  There was no need to stress out.  Besides, it wasn’t like she was broke—far from it!  She just wasn’t quite as comfortable as she would like to be.

When she opened the door she found him wearing a humongous grin, which immediately made her wonder if he’d heard her cursing on the way to the door—because she’d been rushing of course.

He stepped inside, still eyeing her curiously.  “You look great,” he told her.

She was rather done up, probably the most he’d ever seen her, except for maybe that night when they’d first kissed at the club.  It wasn’t that she was dressed all that fancy, although she was wearing the rather short v-neck peasant dress by T-Bags that she’d picked up at Kitson just a few days earlier.  But her hair and make-up were fully made-up, something she hadn’t bothered with much lately.  Her skin was nicely colored after a home airbrushing visit from her favorite tanning salon the day before.

From all the prep work she’d done, you’d think she was going to the Oscar’s or something, but in reality it was just a sponsored gig for some new dance show on MTV.  JC had given her all the details, but they’d been in bed at the time and she’d been distracted by the after glow of sex.

“Let me just put on my shoes,” she told him.

He didn’t stop moving forward until he was barely inches away.  “Am I allowed to kiss you or will I mess up your make up?”  Of course he was leaning in so close that his lips were already begging to be kissed.

“You are totally allowed to kiss me—” and she smiled as he did just that.  Then she quickly trotted off to get her shoes, coming back seconds later about 4 inches taller.  She grabbed her leather clutch and followed him out the door.

Her smile was wide as she slid into the passenger seat of his Mercedes—after he’d so chivalrously held the door open while she got in.  Her sight didn’t leave him for a second as he walked around the front of the car, making way to the driver’s side.  He was looking quite dapper himself in pressed, dark jeans and a dark grayish-green buttoned down shirt, the sleeves cuffed just at his elbows.  His hair was styled more like a faux-hawk, sort of spiked up in the middle, and the thought didn’t go unnoticed how completely different he was from James.  So completely more her age, because he was her age… unlike her 15 year elder of an ex.

Noticing her stare, he turned toward her with a wide smile before starting the engine.  “Did I tell you how hot you look?”

Her smile quadrupled.  He was really good for her self-esteem.  “You mentioned something.”

Leaning in toward her, his hand smoothed to her bare leg.  “This is going to be tough,” he said, his words kind of breathy.  “I have to be good?”

With a smirk, she closed what little distance had been left between them, giving him a slow and sensual kiss, her hand smoothing around to the back of his neck.

When the passionate exchange ended, he was situating himself in his seat.  “Okay.  Time to start the car…”  It came out more like he was telling himself than her.


“So I have to do the red carpet thing, but if you want to bypass it, I totally understand,” JC explained as they were just a couple of minutes from the party.

Ellie just stared at him like she should have had an answer but she didn’t.  Red carpet?  How could she have NOT thought about that minor detail.

“I’m part of the show, so I have to do the publicity.”

Ellie looked at him even funnier.  He was on the show?  How did she miss that?  “Did you tell me that?” she asked him.

He chuckled lightly as he pressed the brake peddle to stop at the red light.  “Yes.”

“You must think I don’t listen to anything you tell me…”  She felt extremely silly.  How could something so important not have sunk in?

“No…” he replied, easing a sideways glance her direction.  “I think you were just too distracted by my sex at the time…”

For sure, she was ALWAYS distracted by his sex.  She was going to have to figure out a way to get over that—sort of.

The light turned green and she realized they were almost there.  She needed to make a decision about the whole red carpet thing.  The answer was pretty clear, as much as she’d love to be able to walk it with him supportively, she knew it was too soon for that.  Besides, she didn’t want this relationship to turn as public as her last relationship.

Or whatever it was they were calling what was going on between the two of them.

Finally pulling up to the valet, Ellie noticed Jill and her date stepping out of the car in front of them.  “I think I’ll bypass the red carpet if you don’t mind,” she finally told JC.

“I don’t mind at all.  I’ll meet you inside by the bar?”

She nodded, wanting to lean over and kiss him, but deciding against it.  Then they both got out of the car.  She went one way and he went the other.

“Jill!  Wait up!”  Her friend was about six steps ahead of her.

Jill grabbed the wrist of man she was with—Ellie didn’t know who the heck he was—to stop him as she turned at the sound of Ellie’s voice.  Smiling, she waved for her to hurry up.  Ellie picked up  her pace just a notch, not even daring to try and jog in her expensive high heels.

“Where’s your man?” Jill asked as soon as Ellie had joined up with them.

Ellie sort of rolled her eyes, wanting to make the correction of how he wasn’t exactly “her man” but refraining from making such a big deal out of it.  “My date had to go in the long way,” Ellie remarked instead.

“Oh… Had to do the press thing.  Gotcha.”  Then Jill turned to the silent man standing beside her.  “This is Jason Rosanbaum.  Jason, this is my very best friend, Ellie Sanderson.”

Jason was blond, tall, lean and YOUNG.  The more Ellie looked him over, the younger he appeared to be.  Of course, he was drop-dead gorgeous, which was right in line with Jill’s taste.  “Nice to meet you,” he grinned cordially.

“You too.  Should we go in?”

Jill nodded in agreement, and Ellie followed the two inside.

As soon as they were inside the venue, which was one of the more trendy clubs in town, Ellie felt a little nervous.  She hadn’t been in such an atmosphere since she’d split from James.  Yes, she’d been out that night with Jill, but this was totally different.  There were celebrities all over the place and her split had been made very public.  Everyone knew she was getting divorced.

No one really knew she was dating JC, but that would soon change.

But since she knew that James wasn’t going to hold that against her, she couldn’t let the thought of such news getting out scare her.  Worrying took up incredibly too much energy. 

“Let’s go to the bar,” Ellie suggested—and not just because JC had said he’d meet her there, but because she really needed a drink!

They ordered drinks and Ellie was instantly trying to start a conversation as they waited.  “So how did you two meet?”

Jason looked to Jill to answer.  Ellie had a feeling that he didn’t talk much. 

Jill grinned sort of slyly.  “We met at the gym.”

“Oh, that’s interesting.  What do you do, Jason?”

Jason immediately started spouting off his resume.  He was an Elite model trying to break into acting and was only in L.A. for the next month.  He normally shared his time between Miami and New York, but he’d been cast in a reality show that he really couldn’t talk about the details of.

It had been way more information than necessary. 

They’d just been handed their drinks when Ellie felt someone’s touch at the back of her waist.  She hoped it was JC and not some random person who felt they knew her well enough to touch her.  It wouldn’t have been the first time that had happened.

Luckily, as she twisted to look, she realized it was JC.  He was grinning widely.  “Where’s mine?” he asked, looking down at her stiff martini.

“Sorry.  Wasn’t sure what you wanted.”

He only grinned more.  “I’m just teasing anyway,” he told her softly and quickly pressed his mouth to her temple.  “Hi Jill and…” he looked at the couple waiting for an introduction.

“JC, this is Jason Rosenbaum.”

“Nice to meet you,” JC smiled and shook the model’s hand.  Then he turned back to Ellie.  “Are you ready to mingle?” he asked.

She nodded, smiling sort of tight lipped.

“Let me just get a drink really quick and then we’ll walk around.”  He moved away from where they stood and went to the bar. 

Jill took the opportunity to step in close and whisper, “You okay?”

Ellie nodded.  “Just a little nervous.”

“You’ll be fine,” Jill pepped.  “I’m here if you need a break.”

With a grin Ellie told her friend, “Thanks.”  Minutes later she was off to make the rounds with JC.

A half an hour into mingling and Ellie was on her A game, for sure.  The half of martini helped, no doubt—she’d dumped the rest for fear of it hitting her system too fast—but in all actuality it wasn’t the alcohol that made her feel comfortable at all.  It was, first of all, JC, because he was probably the easiest and nicest guy to be around, plus he made her ridiculously comfortable.  And secondly it had a lot to do with the fact that this was a completely different crowd then she was used to socializing with.  This was the more young, hip Hollywood crowd.  The events she’d always attended with James had been the more older, reserved, big-money Hollywood.  Before she’d been hanging out with the “movers and shakers”—the people who made things happen.  Now she was with the people who were trying to make things happen—by getting the movers and shakers attention, of course.

It was a nice change of pace.  Honestly, she got the feeling that a lot of the people she was meeting either didn’t recognize her or didn’t know who she was at all.  Of course, JC was only introducing her as Ellie.  That could have helped.  But either way, it was nice.  More and more she was realizing that there really wasn’t anything he could do to her or for her that would ever turn out bad.

Surely that wouldn’t be the case forever, but for now she’d just continue with that impression.

They’d been at the party for a good couple of hours before they separated for a bit.  Mainly because JC had to do work and do some promotions with his co-judges.  She kind of wanted to watch, but at the same time she didn’t want to hover too closely to the press, who were all situated in one area for the time being.  So instead she made way to the table where Jill and model Jason were accompanied by one other gentleman—some TV producer, Jeremy.

The unfortunate thing, as soon as Ellie got situated and ordered a drink, Jill got up suddenly, not saying much except for that she’d be back in a minute.  Ellie was left alone with Jason the model and Jeremy the TV producer, and she felt almost instantly uncomfortable. 

It only became worse a minute later as Jeremy not only realized that she was the ex of James Sanderson, but started hitting on her—hardcore.

This was the exact situation she didn’t want. Sleaze ball Jeremy just kept going on and on about how beautiful Ellie was and how he’d love to show her a  “good time.”  Really he was just undoubtedly mesmerized by the little bit of cleavage her v-neck dress was showing.  She’d had JC in mind when she’d got dressed, not every douchebag in L.A.

Jesus.  Did this guy think he even stood a chance being so un-coolly forward?  Not a chance.

She looked over at Jason with a pleading expression, but the eye-candy didn’t pick up on it.  He just smiled, trying to be cordial, no doubt.

Closing her eyes briefly, she silently prayed that either Jill or JC would come back.  Unfortunately, that didn’t happen because when she opened her eyes, neither of them were there.

So as politely as possible, she grinned at sleazy Jeremy and excused herself from the table.  Then she looked at Jason and said, “tell Jill I’ll be right back.”

As soon as her feet hit the ground, she was high-tailing it towards the woman’s restroom.  It was only a thirty second trek from where she’d been seated.  She pushed through the door quickly, walking into the middle of what looked like two celebutants snorting something—she was guessing cocaine.

She wanted to turn around and walk back out of the small restroom, but she figured it was better to act as if she hadn’t noticed.  Disappearing into the stall, she quickly put down the seat cover and sat, holding her dress and somehow managing to bury her face into her hands.

Witnessing drug use was not something Ellie handled well.  She had a history—not her own, but someone extremely close to her.  The visual made her instantly sick to her stomach.

Quickly she did her business, thankful that the two young women had left by the time she made it to the sink.  Pulling herself together, she washed her hands, checked her hair and make-up and left the bathroom, trying not to think of the events that had occurred during the previous 5 minutes.

A huge part of her wanted to find JC and tell him that she was ready to leave, but she knew that wouldn’t be right.  This was his event, he needed to stay.

With a quick scan of her surroundings, she noticed Jill was back at the table with Jason.  Unfortunately Jeremy was still there, and some other guy too.    

Dammit.  What was she going to do?

The only thing she could think to do.  She went on a search for JC.  It took her ten minutes to find him, standing between a gorgeous brunette and an equally attractive blonde, posing for a picture.  She felt a tinge of jealousy—an emotion that she instantly shunned.  Unfortunately, when added to things she’d already enjoyed the displeasure of, it only made her all the more ready to go home.

Shit.

Slowly she maneuvered her way into his line of view.  The look of his expression when he did finally catch sight of her, made her feel momentarily better.  It was obvious that she was the only woman he was interested in.  She watched as he excused himself from the group of ladies and headed her direction.

Discreetly he took her hand, leaning in to whisper against her ear a simple “hi.”

Instantly she was smiling.  When his eyes caught hers, she felt the need to vent immediately.  “The past ten minutes have been rather traumatic.”

His features turned into a look of both curiousness and concern.  “Why?  What happened?”

“Some sleaze ball kept hitting on me and then I witnessed something in the bathroom that made me a little uncomfortable.”

He looked at her even more curiously after that. 

She knew he wanted more information, but it wasn’t the right time to give it.  “I’ll tell you later,” she said.

He nodded, still holding on to her hand.  “We can leave if you want,” he told her.

She shook her head no.  “You need to be here.”

JC was shaking his head as well.  “No. I’m good.  We can leave whenever you want.”

She was smiling again.  “Really?”

He nodded and leaned into her ear again.  “Besides, I can’t wait to get you home and tear that dress off you.”

Ellie wanted to throw her arms around him and kiss the hell out of him.  It was hard to hold back, but she managed.  Instead, JC hooked an arm over her shoulders and began guiding her through the crowds.  It took her a minute to realize they were heading toward the exit.


JC realized Ellie was a bit overwhelmed by their outing as she settled into the passenger seat of his car, quiet as a mouse.  He waited until they were safely away from the swarm of paparazzi and party-goers before inquiring about what had happened.  “So do you want to talk about it?” he simply said.

“I do,” she said, “but not yet.  I’m starving.  Do you want to stop and get something to eat?”

He was pretty hungry.  He hadn’t had much of a chance to eat at the party.  It had been all appetizers anyway.  Not very filling  “Sure.  Did you want to pick something up to take home or do you want to go in somewhere?”

“I don’t know if I can wait till we get home.  Just somewhere sort of quiet and private—if that’s possible.”

With a grin he said, “For you, anything’s possible.”

One quick phone call was all it took.

Ten minutes later they were pulling into the valet of one of the hardest to get into spots in L.A.  Luckily he knew the owner.  They were ushered in immediately and taken to the most private booth in the place.  He waited for Ellie to sit down and then he scooted in beside her.  They were given their menus and JC ordered a bottle of merlot.  Then they were left alone.

Instantly he was leaning into her, smoothing his hand to her knee—her skin was amazingly soft, as always.  Without thinking, his eyes drifted down to her lap, when she’d sat down her skirt had hiked up pretty high on her thighs.  She hadn’t noticed and he wasn’t going to mention it unless it became necessary.  At this point, he was the only one that could see.

“So who was the sleaze ball?” he asked first.

She shrugged, her silky auburn waves bouncing in response.  “Jeremy something or other.”

“Piven?” JC immediately asked.

She shook her head no.  “Not him,” she said.  “I didn’t catch a last name.”

Which meant JC had absolutely no clue who it was, and he’d be lying if he said that he didn’t want to go smack the guy—although he’d never actually do something like that. 

“So are you going to tell me what the other thing was that happened?  I’m guessing that the guy hitting on you wasn’t the worst of the two.”

Ellie smirked, leaning her head on his shoulder.  He was instantly curling an arm around her as if he couldn’t be close enough to her at that moment.  “It wouldn’t have been so bad if he wouldn’t have known who I was,” she explained.

“Oh… well, sorry about that.”

“It’s not your fault,” she said, still pressed into his side.   

“So the other thing?” he asked again.  “You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to,” he added.   Of course he was hoping that wouldn’t be the case.  It was driving him sort of crazy wondering what she’d seen going on in the bathroom.  He’d witnessed just about everything possible while living in Holly-weird.  Nothing shocked him anymore. 

 

 

Ellie was nervous to admit that the drugs had bothered her so much.  Mainly because it meant she’d have to explain things in her past that weren’t the easiest to talk about.  But at the same time she felt so amazingly comfortable talking to him.  She couldn’t imagine him ever passing judgment on her.

She separated her side from his enough so that she could look him in the face.  “There were two girls snorting coke in the bathroom.  I just don’t do well in that type of environment.”  She could tell instantly by the look in his face that he was preparing for her to say that she'd had a problem with addiction.  That so was not the case.  “I know what you’re thinking,” she immediately added.  “I’ve never even smoked a cigarette, let alone done any drugs.”  She was speaking as softly as she could.  The booth was private, but there were always ears listening.

JC’s expression seemed to soften then, as he pressed his palm to her cheek, moved in and kissed her tenderly.  “I’m sorry that made you uncomfortable,” he spoke after a minute.  “I don’t really care for that scene myself, but sometimes it’s unavoidable in this business.”

Ellie nodded.  She understood.  “There’s more.”  She felt the need to tell him everything.

Of course it was at that moment their waiter appeared.  “Can you give us a few more minutes?” JC politely asked.

The gentleman nodded cordially and disappeared.

“Go ahead,” JC told her.

“My sister,” Ellie continued, almost whispering.  “She’s been through rehab three times.  She's been struggling with addiction since I was 15.”

JC grabbed her hand and squeezed.  “I’m sorry.”

Ellie shook her head.  “There’s nothing to be sorry about.  She’s a grown woman.  She’s made her own choices.”

“Where is she now?”

Ellie shrugged.  “I haven’t talked to her in months.  I don’t have a clue where she is.”

His hand was at the side of her head, his thumb trailing the underside of her eye.  Softly he kissed the corner of her lips.  “I’m sorry, baby…”  he spoke against her skin. 

The tenderness he emitted made her melt inside.  She was feeling such emotion in her chest—like full water balloons ready to explode—all because of the feelings he caused her to feel.  Every minute they spent together she knew more and more that what she was feeling was more than just a common love for sex.

“I’m okay,” she told him after a quiet moment.  “Let’s not talk about it anymore.  I don’t want to ruin the mood of our date.”

She watched the smile ease across his handsome face.  “Okay,” he agreed, “but if you ever want to talk more about it, I’m more than willing to listen.”

It was obvious that he genuinely meant those words, she felt it in his touch, heard it in his voice and saw it in the gorgeous depths of his deep blue eyes.

God, she was falling for him—falling in love.

 

© BrandyRae 2008

Chapter 15 by BrandyRae
The Good Neighbor by BrandyRae
Chapter 15

After a delicious meal and two full glasses of wine, Ellie was completely relaxed.  She realized, as JC was paying the check and they were getting ready to leave, that they’d actually had a real date.  And, at the moment, she was totally and utterly smitten by him.

He was wonderful.

“Thank you for dinner,” she smiled and said, as the waiter disappeared with JC’s credit card.

He was grinning just as wide as he replied, “You’re welcome.  Anytime.”

She couldn’t help it, her hand fell to his thigh as she moved in for a kiss.  His mouth tasted totally yummy—thanks to the chocolate dessert they’d shared—and she found it hard to control herself, especially as his fingers smoothed up the back of her neck and delicately touched into her hair line.  She just wanted to gobble him right up!

When she started to break herself free from him, he was immediately urging her back and pressing quick, delicate kisses against her lips.  Next thing she knew they were involved in a serious public display of affection.

Sliding her fingers softly against his stubbled jaw, she finally pulled away with a grin and mumbled, “Damn, I love kissing you.”

Luckily she was too caught up to realize that she’d used the L word, even if it was only in reference to his kisses.

JC sort of hummed his response, an agreement of “me too.”

“Should we go?”

“As soon as they bring back my card,” he said, his body still twisted her way, his lips still deliciously close.

Of course, Ellie had the better view.  She could see that the waiter must have stopped by while they were busy.  “He already did,” she remarked.

JC turned and quietly remarked an, “oh shit.”  Then an “oh well.”  He opened the leather sleeve, signed the slip, took his card and pulled out his wallet to return it.

A minute later they were up and heading toward the door.  When they got to the street, she instantly noticed the three paparazzi filming another celeb about five steps away.

Dammit.

They were going to have to wait for their car.  That could leave them standing outside in open territory for a good five minutes!  She watched as JC quickly gave the ticket to the attendant, positive that she saw him slip the guy some cash, too.  Hopefully that would speed up the process.

Hopefully in a big way because one of the paps had already noticed them.  “Let’s go stand back inside,” JC whispered.

So they did.

“They’re going to film us when we go back out to get in the car,” Ellie said, as they stood tucked in a corner of the lobby.  There were other patrons of the restaurant scattered about, but they paid no attention to Ellie or JC.

The look he gave her was tender, as he gently brushed her hair away from her face with his right hand.  “Just ignore them.  Don’t say anything and don’t let any of their stupid questions get a reaction out of you.”

She nodded, trying to psyche herself out for it.

Not even a minute later the valet poked his head inside the door to let them know their car was ready.

Ellie followed JC out, not touching, not taking his hand like she would have liked, just standing close behind him and moving quickly.

There were only two paps on them, but they immediately started in, trying to get some sort of comment.

“Who’s the new girl, JC?”  one said.  “Can we get a name?”

“Is that Eloise Sanderson?” The other piped in.  She was trying to keep her face down.  Apparently the attempt didn’t work very well.

Shit.

“Ellie… Sorry to hear about the divorce.  Guess you’re bouncing back okay…”

Luckily, at that moment, she was sliding into the car, shutting the door and thankfully unable to hear their verbal berates any longer.  Neither one of them said a word as JC maneuvered the car away from the small crowd and down the street.  A good five minutes had passed when Ellie finally spoke up.  “I hate it when they have video cameras.  What happened to the old days when they just took pictures?”

“It’s called the Internet.”

“Uh, don’t remind me.  I wish they wouldn’t have realized who I was.”

JC sort of smirked.  “It’s not like they hadn’t already been tipped off about us by Gabby.”

“I know, but now there’s confirmation… They’re probably going to make me look like a whore, or something.”

“Sweetheart,” he called her, “that’s not possible.  You could never look whorish.”

She found herself smiling at his words.  “Thanks.”

“It’s the truth.  You’re about as un-whorish as they come.  You’re beautiful and smart and confident—which is about the most attractive combination of qualities, I must say.”

She chortled breathily.  “Is that it?”

“Oh no… There’s more.  Do you want me to continue?”  He shot her a sideways glance and a sexy grin as he masterfully handled the vehicle through the nighttime traffic  on Sunset Boulevard.

“Sure.  Go ahead.”

“Okay… let’s see.  You laugh at my corny jokes, which I think is pretty cool.  You’re laid back.  You don’t get all stressed out about the little things.  You are comfortable in your skin, which is SO important.”

He paused as he was paying more attention to the road, turning off the main strip and heading into the hills, toward their homes.

“Physically, you’re everything a guy could ever want in a woman.  Like I don’t even want to go there because I’ll just get too distracted while I’m driving and I don’t want to get in an accident.”

“You can finish that part when we’re in bed,” she told him with a suggestive grin.

“That’s a good idea.  Then I can show you instead of telling you.”

Her stomach took an immediate dip when he said that.  “I like the sound of that,” she replied.

“That’s the other thing,” he remarked.  “Your sex drive is amazing.”

“Maybe I just really like having sex with you,” she suggested.

“Well, that’s just fine with me because I’m the only one that matters, as far as that goes.”  He was turning the wheel, pulling onto their street.  “I mean, I really like having sex with you too.”

“Well, that’s good.”

A minute later they were in his driveway, waiting for the garage to open.

He pulled the car in, turned it off and shut the garage door.  He just sat there, like he wanted to say something else, but the words weren’t coming out.

Without hesitating, Ellie unbuckled her seatbelt, climbed over the center console and straddled his lap.  His hands automatically smoothed around to her rear as he stared up at her face.  Of course, her dress was practically hiked up to her hip joints.

He stared at her with wide eyes as she took the opportunity to begin a very passionate kissing session.

“This is what I’m talking about,” he finally mumbled, his hands still groping her behind.  She realized the material of her dress really wasn’t covering it anymore, especially as the tip of his finger seemed to slip just barely in between her bare flesh and her Victoria Secret’s panties.

“It’s all you,” she told him.  “You do this to me.”

He pressed another long and lingering kiss to her mouth.  “I guess I’ll take that as a compliment.”

“You should,” she told him.

“We should go in,” he said, while simultaneously popping open the door.  “Let’s see if I can do this.”  Carefully he maneuvered one leg out the door and then the other, then he managed to lift them both out of the seat, carrying Ellie toward the house.

She was giggling from the whole thing when he somehow managed to twist the door handle, still keeping hold of her body, her legs wrapped around him with his arms braced under her butt.

But something was different when they walked inside—almost instantly.  JC dropped her and she quickly smoothed down her dress, just in time to see a guy jogging down the hallway.

“Ty?”  JC said, looking at the young man kind of funny.  “What are you doing here?”

“I told you I was getting in tonight,” the dark blond responded.  “Don’t you remember?”

“I guess not.”

Meanwhile, JC’s somewhat unexpected house guest was looking at Ellie awfully suspicious like.

“Oh,” JC piped up.  “Ty, this is Ellie.  Ellie, this is my brother Tyler.”

Well that made a little more sense.  Instantly she stuck out a hand.  “Nice to meet you,” she said.

“You too.”  He was still looking at her kind of funny. 

“Ellie lives across the street,” JC explained.

Ty just sort of nodded, long and slow.  The looks he was giving made her a little uncomfortable.

She brushed a hand against JC’s forearm to get his attention and asked, “Should I go?”

The answer was obvious as he instantly shook his head no.  “Just give us a minute,” JC said.

Ellie nodded.  “I’ll just go in the living room.”

“I knew you couldn’t do it,” Tyler spouted off as soon as Ellie was gone.

“Do what?  And keep your voice down.  Will ya?”

His brother rolled his eyes.  “I mean, I don’t care one way or another, I just knew you wouldn’t be able to not have sex for more than a week.”

JC shook his head, regretting that night of dumb-ass drunkenness with the guys, when he made that profound—and ridiculous—statement about abstaining from sex until he met a girl worthy enough to actually have a relationship with.

Of course, he’d had no idea a couple of weeks later he’d meet Ellie.  Besides, she was definitely worthy enough for a relationship—although they had yet to breach the subject.  He was afraid to bring it up, because last time he’d started in with the serious talk she’d straight up told him he was being too forward.

Things were moving along so well.  There really hadn’t been a need to discuss it.  But Ty was going to insist on knowing the details.

“It’s not like that,” JC told his brother quietly.  “We’ve been seeing each other for a little while.  I really like her.”

“What’s a little while?” Ty asked.  “I’ve only been gone for like a month.”

JC shook his head.  Why was he letting his little brother interrogate him?  “Almost two months,” JC corrected.  “And never mind.  Just be nice, okay?”

“I’m always nice,” Ty shrugged and headed off toward the direction of the living room, where Ellie was, no doubt.

Ellie plopped down on the sofa, realizing that her phone was ringing inside her small purse.  She pulled it out, still mind-boggled over the scene that had just played out with JC’s brother in the hallway.

“Hey,” she spoke into her hand-held phone, knowing it was Jill.

“Where the hell did you go?  I’ve been looking all over for you and then finally I just heard that JC had left like almost two hours ago.  I’m assuming you left with him.”

“Sorry,” Ellie replied, looking up as Tyler took seat right beside her—like RIGHT beside her, almost touching.

He was weird.  What was with him?

And where the hell was JC?

“Is everything alright?” Jill asked.

“Yes, everything’s fine.  I’ll tell you more tomorrow.”  That was the last conversation Ellie wanted to get into at the moment.

She crossed her legs, eyeing the stocky dark blond as he reached for the TV remote on the table.

“Okay,” Jill said.  “As long as you promise you’re okay.”

“I promise I’m fine,” Ellie assured, although with the recent events, she wasn’t so sure.

“Okay, talk to you tomorrow then.”

“Okay.  Bye.”

“Was that Jill?” She heard JC’s voice from behind before she’d hit the button to end the call.

She twisted her torso to look for him, the direction away from Tyler Chasez.  “Yes.  I forgot to let her know that we left and she was looking for me.”

He was grinning something kind of funny, reaching up into the cupboard, in the open area kitchen behind them.  “You want something to drink?”

She shook her head no.

“Ty?” he asked.

“I’m good,” the man responded.

Ellie returned to facing forward, feeling completely awkward.  She felt like she needed to go home.  This was just weird.

Finally, after another minute, JC appeared in front of them both, perching himself on the coffee table just in front of them.  “Ty, scoot over,” he sighed, sort of aggravatingly at his brother.  “Stop trying to freak her out.”

With that the man moved all the way to the other end of the couch—thank God.  “I can go,” Ellie offered up again.

JC was shaking his head.  “No.”

“Can I just ask her a few questions?” Tyler asked his brother.

“NO,” JC answered stoutly, looking annoyed.

Ellie was utterly confused.  What the hell was going on?

JC was completely irritated.  He loved his brother to death.  At times they were inseparable, but at the moment he was being a complete asshole—and he was doing it completely on purpose.

JC probably deserved it, but that was beside the point.

Trying not to show his aggravation, he concentrated his attention on Ellie.  “Maybe we should go to your house,” he suggested.

“That’s fine.”  She was already standing up.

JC had a good feeling their somewhat perfect date night had been ruined.  Tomorrow he would give his brother an earful.  They had some things to talk about anyway—the whole reason Ty was acting so weird to begin with—but now was not that time.

Rising to his feet, JC gave his brother a decent shove in the shoulder.  “We’ll talk tomorrow,” he said.  “Don’t disappear.”

“I’ll be here,” Tyler remarked.

 

The two were quiet as they stepped out the front door.  Ellie had a good dozen questions floating through her head, but she’d wait until they were safely inside her house. 

They’d just barely made it to the sidewalk when JC let out a quiet, “Fuck.”

Ellie looked up just in time to see Gabby picking up a piece of trash that had drifted onto her lawn.  “It’s fine,” Ellie said.  “I told her we were sleeping together a few days ago.”  Then she looked over at the woman and waved, “Hi Gabby!”

JC had to stifle a laugh, bringing a hand to cover his mouth.  “You’re fucking kidding,” he spoke softly.

“Nope,” Ellie remarked, now looking forward after Gabby had chosen not to respond.

He slung his arm around her shoulders as they were already to her side of the street.  “That’s hilarious.”

“She deserved to know the truth,” Ellie justified.

“You are too much,” JC chuckled, just as Ellie pulled her keys out of her tiny handbag.  She found them just in time to unlock the door as they stepped up to it.

“Talk about too much… what is up with your brother?  That was just weird.”

“I’m sorry.  He’s not really like that.  He was being a dick on purpose.”

“Okay…” she drew it out, sort of afraid to ask why, but knowing she had to.

“It’s kind of a long story that doesn’t make me look too great,” he admitted, before she even asked.

With both of them now inside the house, she shut and locked the door.  Then she immediately stepped out of her $650 shoes that were totally killing her feet.  Then, after that, she stepped up to JC and pressed her palm against the side of his face and kissed the corner of his mouth, then his bottom lip, and then the other side of his mouth and the top lip—by that point he’d put both hands on her, one braced at the back of her neck and the other around her back, and turned her playful kisses into a deep, passionate one.

Breathing a little heavy, she finally broke away and asked, “What’d you do?  Steal his girlfriend or something?”

 

JC shook his head.  “Not exactly.”

Why did he have this huge desire to just be completely honest with her about all of his not-so-commendable escapades?  It was the strangest thing ever, but he wasn’t afraid to tell her anything.

Scary. 

“You don’t have to tell me,” she said, “but it sounds like the two of you need to have a good heart to heart.”

JC chuckled quietly.  THIS is why she was so amazing.  “I’ll tell you.  I have no secrets.”

Loosely she pointed a finger at him.  “See… I have a feeling that you do have a lot of secrets, JC Chasez.”  Why did it make him smile that she’d just called him by his full name?  “I think you just don’t mind telling them.”

He was chuckling again.  “Well, I think that wine went straight to your head.”

She pointed that same finger straight up into the air.  “Yes.  It definitely did.”

Grinning, he opened his elbow up so she could hook her arm through and then guided her off towards the bedroom.  They were almost there when she mentioned how much her feet hurt.

“That’s what you get for wearing such high heels,” he told her playfully.

“Beauty knows no boundaries,” she remarked lightly.

Of course, that only made him chuckle again.  “You know, they have these little inserts you can get for those high heels so your feet don’t slip and they don’t hurt so much.”

“JC…” Her arm was still hooked in his as they made way into her extremely feminine and floral bedroom.  “The fact that you know that is kind of scary to me.”

He laughed again, lightly.  “I was at this event awhile back and they did this little demonstration…” he explained.  Either way, he realized it still sounded pretty weird that he’d remembered.

She unhooked herself from him.  “Let me guess… you were on a date with the girl that you stole from your brother?”  She was totally egging him on with her eyes when she spoke.

If he hadn’t known for a fact that she was teasing, he might have been a little upset by that remark.  Thankfully that wasn’t the case.  “You guessed it,” he told her.  “That’s why he’s still mad.  He really wanted to learn about the shoes and the little toe-sock thingies.”

Now she was giggling.  Damn, he loved it when she giggled.  Collapsing onto the bed, she stared up towards the ceiling.  “Have I told you lately how much I like you too much?”

He sat down beside her, sort of looking her over as she laid flat on her back and he was sitting up straight.  “No.  Not exactly,” he responded, turning to face forward.

Neither of them were looking at the other.  “Too much,” she simply said.

“Well, in that case I like you too much too.”

She popped up, sitting close beside him.  “We’re exclusive, right?”  She was looking right at him now.

“I’m not seeing anyone else.”  Was she crazy?

“I just wanna make sure.”

Bringing a hand up to her cheek, he touched her skin tenderly.  “I don’t talk about it because I know it kind of scares you, but I have no desire to see anyone else but you.”

She was smiling so he must have said something right.  “I know it’s silly to ask, but I just needed to know for sure.”

JC shook his head.  “The only silly question is the question you don’t ask.”

With a groan she fell back on the bed again.  This time JC followed, his eyes floating up toward the ceiling as he laid flat on his back.  He had so much going on inside his head.  They’d only been dating for barely a few weeks and he already felt so much for her.  When he let the more rational part of his brain think about it, it made him want to turn things down a bit, but the rest of his being was definitely against that idea.

Of course, he realized that was how it always happened—fast and hard.  It just didn’t happen very often.

“The thing with my brother,” he said after more than a minute of silence.  “It was stupid and it never should have happened.  I drank too much one night and he was pissing me off and I purposely—”

“JC,” she cut him off.  “You don’t have to tell me.  I understand that you have a past and that’s okay.”

“I want to tell you,” he explained.  “When I was a single guy, I acted like a true single guy.  It’s not something I’m proud of.  After that thing happened with Ty, I made this stupid vow that I wouldn’t have sex again until I met a girl worthy enough to actually have a relationship with.  That’s why he’s pissed.  He thought you were just some random girl I was hooking up with.”

She smirked lightly and shifted towards him, on her side, smoothing a hand to his stomach.  “I’m not sure if I should be pleased that I’m worthy enough or bothered by the fact that you’re brother thought I was a random hook up.”

“I haven’t talked to him.  Otherwise that wouldn’t have happened.”

That hand of hers slipped underneath his shirt, smoothing up toward the center of his chest.  When his shirt blocked her path, she started popping open the buttons.  It was making it rather difficult for him to concentrate.

“It’s fine,” she finally said.  “I told you.  You don’t have to explain anything to me.”

He situated himself on to his side, facing her, his shirt falling open since she’d unbuttoned it completely.  Her hand smoothed toward his rib cage, underneath his arm.  It was amazing how good it felt when she touched him.  “If you keep that up I won’t be able to explain anything at all because I’ll be too distracted by how good it feels when you touch me.”

Her smile was wide upon hearing his words.  “Ahh…” she sounded it out.  “So you mean I’m distracting you with my sex this time?”

Bringing a hand to her cheek, he brushed her hair back away from her face.  “Definitely,” he answered.  Then he leaned in closer, until his forehead was resting against hers.  “But this time I don’t want to just have sex with you.  I want to make slow, passionate love..."  Then he laid the steamiest kiss on her—deep, sensual and seductive—before she had a chance to protest his words of truth.  Because that’s what they’d been—the complete and utter truth.

© BrandyRae 2008

Chapter 16 by BrandyRae
The Good Neighbor by BrandyRae
Chapter 16

 

Ellie’s head was reeling.  How come all it took was a guy to whisper seductive words of love-making to make a girl go crazy?  Sure… it could have had something to do with how much she also felt the energy of love between them.  Her head liked to sum it up as infatuation, but—damn—it sure felt like more, and the proposition of making love to him was enough to make her crumble into a zillion pieces.  Especially as he was rolling into her, weighing her down with his sexy frame and kissing her like there was no tomorrow.

She felt like she’d died and gone to heaven, as her hands smoothed up his chest, over his muscular shoulders until she was able to push his shirt down his arms and off of him.  Then her hands were all over him.  She loved the feel of his body.  JC was in amazing shape—well defined abdomen and chest, toned arms to die for.  Every part of his body was in perfect condition.  There wasn’t one ounce of flab on him anywhere, but still he felt incredibly soft and touchable.  She couldn’t think of a better combination.

With their feet hanging off the bed and their position a little uncomfortable, Ellie scooted her body up towards the mounds of pillows at the head of the bed.  JC, of course, followed, managing to keep his lips attached to hers the entire time.  Her dress completely twisted underneath her, instead of trying to untangle it, he was finagling it up her body, his strong hands gliding up her waist—the kisses still not waning in the slightest.

When he finally let her catch her breath, only so he could have enough space to take her dress completely off, she found herself mouthing a breathy, “God… I love the way you touch me.”

Slipping what was left of her dress over her head and tossing it away, she was left in only her sexy, lavender, matching bra and panties.  It was sort of amazing, his ability to get her out of her clothes so smoothly.

Only seconds later, he was smiling when he pressed one long lingering kiss to her lips.  “The feeling is more than mutual, sweetheart,” he said.

“I know,” she grinned, looking up at his handsome face.  “That’s what makes it feel even better.”

“I’m glad you noticed.”  He smacked a wet and noisy kiss against the top of her chest.  Then he sort of shifted to one side, freeing up an arm so he could unfasten his jeans.

“Do you need some help?”  Her eyes were watching his every movement, her arms instinctively going towards his waist.

“Yes,” he answered, his expression playful and his voice mock serious.

Her fingers instantly moved to his zipper, where she maneuvered it down before gliding both hands inside of his jeans so she could push the material down his firm rear.  “You have the nicest body…” she breathed.

“Not as nice as yours,” he shot back, his breath against her flesh as his lips were just below her ear.

“Oh… I beg to differ.”  She giggled and moaned all at once when his tongue delicately toyed with the outside of her ear lobe.

He was right.  This time it was SO much more than just sex.  She wasn’t sure how it happened, but it definitely HAD happened.

In one very smooth and fluid movement, JC managed to remove his pants completely and pull the bedding down underneath them so they were in the bed rather than being on top of the bed.  When his weight settled against her there was an absolute feeling of contentment that filled her from head to toe.  Every cell of her body tingled—and it wasn’t from the normal excitement of arousal.  The feeling came straight from the raw emotion that was sparking between them.  She’d never felt anything like it.

Her hands smoothed up into his hair, which was now totally messy because she’d touched it so much.  His sight met with hers in reaction.  “How come it feels so good to be with you?” she asked.

His expression was serious but tender and passionate all at the same time.  “Because you’re falling in love with me.”

Her heart leapt when she heard his words, because it was absolutely true and for some reason talking about it didn’t scare her like it did even a week earlier.

His hands were at her head, his fingers tenderly stroking into her hair.  In his eyes she saw a wealth of knowledge and understanding.  It was like she could see just how incredibly special he was just by staring into his gorgeous blue eyes—the windows straight into his soul, and it was the most beautiful and amazing soul she’d ever encountered.

Pressing a tender kiss to her lips, he continued.  “I know this because I’m falling in love with you too.”  Then he kissed her so passionately that her entire world spun.  She was dizzy with intoxication—all from him.

She was too emotionally caught up to respond to his words verbally, but she didn’t really need to.  Her actions said it all.  It was like she couldn’t have him enough—she couldn’t touch him enough, she couldn’t kiss him enough.  Their bodies may have been a big tangle of parts, but it still didn’t satisfy the need to be a part of him.  There was only one thing that would, and for once it didn’t have to do with just satisfying a need—although she doubted it was EVER just about satisfying a need, she’d just wanted to believe it was.

He was barely slipping her out of her bra when she whispered breathily, “Make love to me, JC.  I want to feel you inside of me.  I NEED to feel you inside me.”

He kissed her hard and deep in response, somehow finagling an arm to the drawer in the nightstand and pulling out the necessary precautions.  Although, she barely even realized what he was doing.  She was more preoccupied with trying to finagle his briefs down his hips.

He stopped kissing her just long enough to remove what was left of his undergarments.  Then his mouth immediately returned to her lips.  There was so much emotion behind his kiss, as he finally eased his way inside of her.

Automatically, she gasped, sucking in a deep breath.  He felt so amazingly good.  Already she was moaning with pleasure, his thrusts slow and sensual, and hitting every zone of pleasure that was a part of her.  “You’re so amazing,” she breathed, her words barely audible.

He was kissing her bottom lip, before his tongue smoothed into her mouth, packed with a huge amount of passion.  They were joined in every way possible.  If this wasn’t making love, she didn’t know what was.  It was the most amazing ride she’d ever experienced, as he masterfully and sensually took her over the edge, whispering sweet words of how much he enjoyed her, and how much he cared for her, in between tender kisses and groans of pleasure.

When she felt she was coming to her peak, it was more incredible than anything she’d ever imagined.  To hear his cries of passion only made it that much more meaningful.  They came together, simultaneously, and the sensation was so strong she felt it in the tips of her toes.  Even her hair follicles were on high-alert.  Every cell of her body was completely overjoyed with pure erotic awareness.

He muffled her cries of passion with his mouth, kissing her hard and deep, making the release that much sweeter.  It seemed to last longer than anything she’d ever experienced.  Even as the waves calmed, he was still kissing her.  Until finally he broke away, breathing heavy, letting his weight carefully collapse against her.

Nuzzling his face next to hers, he kissed the side of her cheek and then again just next to her nose, before finally making way to her lips.  “That was fucking incredible,” he breathed heavily a moment later.

She couldn’t even speak.  She grinned and hummed in response.

With a gruff chuckle, he said, “I’ll take that as good” and kissed the corner of her mouth before letting his tongue barely slip between her lips.

“Good doesn’t even come close,” she finally managed, pulses of ecstasy still rippling through her.  “That was amazing—more than amazing,” she clarified.

With an accomplished grin, he kissed her lips once more.  “That was the connection,” he said, “in full force.”

“Definitely,” she agreed.

He pressed a wet kiss just in front of her ear.  “I don’t want to get up,” he whispered, “but the condom is starting to slip.”  Then he unattached himself from her and gracefully slipped out of bed.  As usual, she eyed his nude frame the entire time he was in her line of sight.

She was too completely spent to move.  Her body was totally relaxed.

When he came back a few moments later, he laid down right next to her on his stomach, propping up on his elbows and staring her right in the face.  “Are you okay?” he asked.

A nod of her head was all she had the strength for.

He was grinning when he leaned forward to kiss her again.  “You’re not freaked out?” he asked.

Shaking her head no, she told him, “I’m not going to fight it.”

He was still smiling.  “There’s no reason.”

Ellie couldn’t agree more.  The feelings were too strong to push away.


The next morning there were no alarms, no appointments, no assistants—just the joy of sleeping in with JC by her side.  They’d had the best night together, staying up till 1 a.m., simply talking about stuff—sharing past experiences, learning even more about each other, and just life in general.  There was a whole lot of laughter, something they shared with each other quite a bit.  Then they’d ended up making love one more time before falling asleep in each other’s arms.

It was truly the best night ever.

She’d woke up to his naked body pressed up behind her.  His hand on her stomach and his lips trailing soft kisses up the back of her neck.  She was instantly smiling.  It was undoubtedly the best possible way to wake up.  “What time is it?” she mumbled.

“Who cares?” was his response.

Lightly she smirked.  “Is waking up with you always going to be this wonderful?”

“I’d love to say yes, but no.”  He kind of chuckled as he finished off his words.  Then he squeezed the hold he had on her even tighter.

“What do you have to do today?” she asked him.

“Besides deal with my brother?  Not much.  What about you?”

“I have a hair appointment later, but that’s about it.  I keep telling myself that I need to get back into the gym, but I think I’ve been burning my fair share of calories thanks to you.”

His fingers were trailing lightly up and down her stomach.  It was quite distracting, in a totally amazing way, of course.  “Yeah, I’d have to agree with that.”  He was chuckling again.  His voice was all groggy and deep—so incredibly sexy.

The alert tone on her Blackberry went off, sitting on the nightstand in front of her.  “There should be a way to block messages this early in the morning,” she huffed as she reached for the thing.  Then she looked at the time.  “Oh, it’s after ten.  I guess that’s not so early.  Opening the message, it said simply:  You’re on TMZ.  Of course it was from Jill.  Ellie told JC immediately what it said as she was simultaneously texting Jill, How bad is it?

JC kissed the side of her neck and said, “Oh well, we knew it was coming.”

“Yeah,” Ellie agreed.  The text was already coming back from Jill.  Not bad at all, it said, You look great!  With a giggle, she told JC, “Well, apparently I look good.”

“I could’ve told you that,” he smirked sort of goofily.  She loved it when that side of him came out.

“Should we go look at it?”  she asked.

“No, who cares.  I don’t pay attention to that stuff.”

“You’re right.  Who cares.”  She decided she was going to start listening to whatever advice he gave her.  JC was a pretty awesome guy.  She totally liked his philosophy on life.  Besides, she was in love with him.  That was all the reason she needed.


It was mid afternoon and Ellie was at the salon.  She’d just finished with a relaxing wash and eased into Marco’s chair.  He’d been styling her for about three years now and he knew her well.  Behind her, he was already surveying her image in the mirror as he began combing and parting.  “You’re glowing… and I haven’t even touched you yet,” he remarked in his usual animated tone.

Of course, the fact that he noticed her “glow” undoubtedly made it even more noticeable, because now she was grinning from ear to ear practically.  “Life is good,” she responded simply.

“So… who is he?”  Marco was not a beat-around-the-bush kind of guy—at all.

Next thing she knew she was spilling her guts about everything!  She waited until Marco couldn’t possibly stand it anymore before giving a name.  He gasped when she finally whispered it.  Marco very dramatically stated, “he’s hot.”

“He is,” she agreed with a wide grin.

“I’d love to get my hands on his head…” Marco continued.  He’d finished trimming and was getting ready to blow dry.

“I’ll tell him how wonderful you are,” Ellie chuckled.

Marco just shook his head.  “You won’t have to tell him,” he clarified.  “He’s going to see it as soon as I’m done with you.”


JC had invited her over for a barbeque via text message while she’d been having her hair done, so after finishing up she stopped at the store, picked up some dessert and then went home, dropping her car in her garage and then walking herself and her cheesecake across the street.

Tyler answered the door.  For about five seconds they both just stood there and said absolutely nothing.  Finally he reached for the box in her hands.  “I’ll take that,” he said.  “Come in.”

She did, shutting the door behind her. 

“My brother’s on the back patio,” he announced, taking her offering into the kitchen. 

She muttered a “thanks” and headed outside.  The younger Chasez still made her a little uncomfortable.

When she found JC, he was bent over the back of a new outdoor sofa.    Doing what?  She wasn’t quite sure.  Instead of making herself known, she snuck behind him and ran a hand up his spine, underneath his t-shirt.  It was just too tempting.  He felt all warm, his skin smooth and inviting.

With a jump he twisted quickly, a smile easing up his slightly stubbled jaw.  “Hi…”

“Hi.”

“I didn’t hear you.”  His hand smoothed to her waist as he leaned in to greet her with a kiss.

“I’m sneaky,” she chuckled lightly.

With a smile, he kissed her again, something a little more passionate this time.  “You’re sneaky, huh?”  He was grinning, sort of cheesy-like.

Returning the look, she nodded.  She realized she was caught in some dizzy love-crazed haze, but as long as no one else realized it she figured she was doing okay—and at that particular moment they were completely alone so the giddiness was totally safe. 

He’d scooped her in close, one arm completely wrapped around the small of her back and the other was braced against her shoulder.  “You look amazing,” he mumbled it against her, in between kisses.

“Thanks.  I’ll tell Marco you approve.”  Her grin was still wide and evident as she stared up into his captivating ocean-blue eyes. 

His hand braced against her jaw, his thumb smoothed up and across her cheek.  “I think love just looks good on you.”  His voice was low and whispery, his lips only a breath away.

“Does it?” She was barely able to mumble before his mouth pressed into hers.

The response he gave her was a hum as she let him deepen the contact, his tongue mingling with hers passionately.

Damn.

That was the only thought manageable.

Of course the moment was disturbed then, a loud “ah hem” sounding from behind.  It might have been expected for them to jump away from each other, but they didn’t.  JC didn’t let that happen, as his hold on her had been quite strong.  He finished the kiss thoroughly before finally looking past her, as her back had been to the house.

His hands slipped into both of hers.  “Hey Jill…”

Ellie felt herself blushing, not sure exactly why.  She’d expected it to be one of his friends, not hers, even though she had been the one that had invited the girl.  After JC suggested it, of course.

Trying to calm her emotions, she released one of JC’s hands and turned towards her friend.  “That was quick,” Ellie remarked.

Jill grinned a little uncomfortably.  She didn’t say a word, but a million words were written across her face. 

“You ladies make yourself comfortable,” JC finally spoke up.  “I’m going to get us some drinks.” 

Ellie nodded in agreement as JC shuffled off and disappeared inside the house.  Jill immediately moved towards her.  “Sit down, I need to tell you something,” the woman announced sort of urgently.  Ellie just kind of looked at her funny.

“What’s wrong?”

Dropping her Louis Vuitton handbag onto the outdoor couch cushion JC had been putting together when Ellie had arrived moments earlier, Jill shook her head and said, “just sit.”

Ellie did, completely confused with the whole situation.  “What is going on?”

“There’s something I have to tell you before this goes any farther.”  Jill was acting weirder by the second.

Ellie was just staring—frozen.

“I’m just gonna blurt it out because there’s no other way to tell you this.  So be prepared to freak out but then you’ll get over it and it’ll be fine.”

That alone made her freak out!  “Just fucking say it already,” Ellie growled practically.

Jill tossed her hands up with frustration, pushing out a forceful breath.  “I slept with him, El.  It was ten years ago and I’m 99 percent sure he doesn’t remember and I never thought things would get this serious between you two or else I would have told you before and I know this is horrible timing, but after what I just witnessed I couldn’t not tell you any longer.”  Her words had rushed out incredibly fast.  So fast, Ellie wasn’t quite sure she had caught the gist of it all.

She was trying really hard to stay calm, but she was pretty fucking sure her best friend had just told her that she’d been with her boyfriend!  Ten years earlier, but still!  “Are you telling me that you’ve had sex with JC?  And you didn’t tell me this before, Jill?  Oh my fucking god…” With a quiet gasp she dropped her head to her knees and covered herself with her arms.  “How am I supposed to handle this?”

 

In the kitchen, JC was making margaritas.  Tyler was standing beside him at the counter, peeking out the window, and Mac and Derek had just popped in and were hovering a few steps behind them.  “Something’s wrong out there,” Tyler remarked.

“Quit spying on them,” JC said, pouring the tequila in the blender.

“No, seriously…” Ty continued.  “The hot redhead was telling something to your girl and then—”

“Ellie,” JC interjected.  “Her name is Ellie, Ty.”

“Okay.  Well, whatever, Ellie looks like a little upset.”

JC peeked out the window at that.  Ellie did look upset.  Her hands were waving through the air and she had this aggravated expression on her face, as she was no doubt speaking incredibly fast. 

“You know… that girl looks really familiar,” Ty added.  “The redhead, not Ellie.”

JC looked at his brother kind of funny.  “I thought so, too, but I can’t figure out why.”

Derek’s deep chuckle sounded as he stepped out behind the two brothers.  Mac was right behind him.  “That’s ‘cause you probably fucked her and don’t remember.”

JC shot him an irritated look over his shoulder.  “That’s not funny.”  Then his stomach instantly soured.  Wait a minute?  That could have been true…

Shit.

“Fuck… I think maybe—”  He couldn’t even say any more than that.

Besides the other three were too busy laughing.

JC closed his eyes and wanted to die at that moment.  How could he have not remembered?  He honestly still didn’t remember details, just the red hair.  It was kind of hard to forget… but, honestly, if he tried to remember every girl he’d been with—well… 

 

“Look, El.  This is not one of my prouder moments.  I love you.  You’re like family to me, and when I stepped out here and saw the two of you all tangled together like that, I knew that this was something I needed to tell you before things get more serious.  I honestly didn’t think you were going to fall in love with the guy.”  Jill’s hands were instantly up in the defensive.  “Not that it’s a bad thing that you are.  He’s great and I’m not trying to cause problems, but clearly you needed to know.  I should have told you right away and I’m sorry that I didn’t.”

“I just am still shocked…” Ellie muttered, trying to calm herself.  “Can you explain the situation to me again?”

“It was right at the height of their fame and we met at a thing and I put myself out there, expecting exactly what happened.  We didn’t date or anything like that.  We had sex.  One time.  It was like, a groupie thing, or whatever…”

Ellie closed her eyes and let her head fall back against the cushion.  She understood that he’d been a bit of a man whore, but her very best friend?  What were the chances?

“He doesn’t remember, El.  I know for a fact he doesn’t remember.”

Really all Ellie could do was concentrate on her breathing.  She didn’t want JC to know she was upset over something, but how could she shove these feelings aside and not let him know?  She had no right to be angry at anyone other than Jill, simply for holding out such pertinent information.  But as far as the act itself was concerned, it had happened ten years earlier.  She had absolutely no justification for being angry.  She, for sure, didn’t like to think about it, but she had no right to get upset.

“I’m honestly not sure how I am supposed to feel about this.”

“Be mad at me,” Jill said.  “I’m the only one that did anything wrong.  I should have told you before and I’m sorry.  I’m going to leave.  Just tell them I got an urgent call or something.  I don’t want you to be uncomfortable.  We can talk later, after you absorb everything.”

Ellie just shook her head, still completely shocked by the whole thing.

“Just don’t even get up.  I’ll see myself out.”  She stood and then hunched over to give Ellie a hug, one that Ellie didn’t truly reciprocate.  “I love you and I’m sorry.  Call me when you’re ready to talk to me.”

Then the girl disappeared back into the house.  Ellie just sat there, staring out at the hillside.  She felt a little sick to her stomach.  The whole situation had come completely out of left field.  She’d never expected anything like this!  What the hell was she supposed to do now?

© BrandyRae 2008

Chapter 17 by BrandyRae
The Good Neighbor by BrandyRae
Chapter 17

When Jill stormed out of the house, barely uttering a word and seemingly in a hurry to get the hell out of there, JC knew.  He knew his hunch was correct. 

He’d slept with Ellie’s best friend.  Granted, it had been many, many years earlier, but that didn’t really change the awkwardness and uncomfortableness of it all. 

Damn

How did he manage to get himself into these types of situations? 

“Do you want us to leave, C?” Derek asked, as JC was just kind of standing there, frozen, knowing he needed to go outside and talk to Ellie but not exactly sure what the hell he was supposed to say.

There were more people coming over.  He’d invited about fifteen—a welcome back get-together for Ty.  He couldn’t very well cancel.  If necessary, he and Ellie would just disappear.  If she was even still talking to him after this.

Shaking his head no, he shot Derek a worried look.  “No, stay,” he said.  “Just give me a few minutes.”

His friend nodded and JC made way out back.  Ellie was still sitting in the same spot, just staring out at the view.  Making way towards her, he extended an arm and urged her to stand up.  He didn’t want to talk to her right there.  He didn’t want to feel like people were watching out the window.  He wanted complete privacy.

It took her a second to respond to his silent request, and when she finally did, he didn’t miss the confusion swirling in her vibrant brownish-green eyes.  There was so much going on behind them and he had no idea if she was going to share any of it with him or not.

Nodding his head towards the side, he gently tugged her off the sofa.  Then silently he led her around the long deck that wrapped around his home until they had completely turned the corner and were just in front of the glass doors that led to his bedroom.  He guided them to the railing of the balcony.  There were houses plotted all around him on the hillside, but nothing too extremely close.  It was a beautiful day—sunny and warm, but not too warm.  There was just a little bit of a breeze to keep the air fresh.  It should have been perfect, but it wasn’t.

“I’m sorry,” JC finally spoke.  He knew he needed to say something, but he really wasn’t sure what.  He still wasn’t sure if that had been the right thing, but honestly he was sorry.

She turned to face him then, her denim clad hip resting against the railing and one hand slouched in her front pocket.  “You knew?” she asked.  “You knew all this time?”

Instantly he shook his head no.  “I saw you were upset through the window.  It kind of jogged my memory.”  He couldn’t help but think of how pathetic that sounded.

Her eyes were closed.  Her head tipped down.  Her hair, a bit darker today than it had been before, fell across her face.  The bright-white, casual, button-down shirt she wore made the tan she’d recently acquired stand out even more than it had the night before.  “I’m really not sure how I’m supposed to feel about this,” she spoke softly.  “You slept with my best friend…” she whispered it, but the hurt texture to her tone didn’t go unnoticed.

“A really long time ago,” JC instantly added, not that it made it sound any better.

“I know, but, do you know the kind of visuals going through my head right now?  It’s horrible.”  Her sight had returned to him, her expression sort of unreadable.

“If it makes you feel any better, I still don’t really remember it.”  He wasn’t sure if that would be comforting to her or not, but it was the truth.

“In ten years are you going to remember me?”

That question caught him completely off guard, as his eyes momentarily widened.  He closed the distance between them and brought both hands up to the base of her shoulders.  “Ellie, this is not like that.  I’m falling in love with you, head over heels in love with you.  I couldn’t forget you if I wanted to… and, believe me, I definitely don’t want to.”  By the time he finished, his head had fell until his forehead was pressed against hers.

“Are you really falling head over heels in love with me?” she asked softly.

“Yes.”  He’d never been more sure of anything in his life.

Her hands slipped through his arms, around to his back as she curled against him, her cheek to his chest.  “This is horrible,” she said, her voice whispery soft.

“It is horrible.  It’s uncomfortable and it’s awkward and, honestly, I feel a little disgusted with myself, but I can’t change things that happened in the past.”

“I know that, and I can’t be mad at you for something that happened in the past, either.”

“You could…” he said, pressing his face into the top of her head.  Her hair smelled different—a bit more fruity—since she’d had it done at the salon.  “A lot of girls would.”

“That doesn’t make any sense, JC.   The only person I should be mad at is Jill, because she should have told me this immediately, and she didn’t.”

He didn’t say anything to that, just squeezed her a little tighter.

“She encouraged this,” Ellie continued, still speaking at his chest as she was thoroughly pressed against him.  “She told me you’d be good and now I’m struggling with the fact that she knew that from experience.”

JC had the strongest urge to cough—and he did.  Ellie backing away enough to give him space.  It must’ve been her words that had brought on the sensation.  “Can we please make a vow to not ever talk about it again?”  He really didn’t want to think about it—ever.

She looked him straight in the eye, completely serious.  “I just don’t understand what I did to get such bad karma…”

He couldn’t help but let a soft smirk slip from his throat.  “It could be worse,” he told her.  “It could always be worse.”

“Were there a lot?  Has there been a lot?”

“A lot?”  He had a good understanding of what she was asking, but it was not something that was easy to answer.  It was not something he wanted to answer.

“A lot like that.  You know… groupie-types.”

He was coughing again.  This was about the worst conversation ever! 

“Do you want me to go get you some water?” she asked.

He shook his head no.  The tickle in his throat had nothing to do with thirst. 

“Never mind,” she said.  “Don’t answer.  I really don’t want to know.  It doesn’t matter.”

He cleared his throat.  “Are you sure it doesn’t matter?”

She nodded her head yes.

“Because I have a good feeling that this is going to come back up again,” he continued.

Again, she nodded.  “You’re probably right, but I’m only human.”

Sucking in a deep breath, he reminded her with a raise of his brow,  “me too.”

Her hand smoothed up his chest and his eyes automatically fell to the spot where she touched him.  “I know.”  Her expression was softening, a half-smile across her glossy lips.

He wanted to tell her that karma was really kicking him in the ass, not her, but he kept that thought to himself.


An hour later the sun was setting and the patio was filled with a good dozen guests, none Ellie really knew very well.  She’d kicked off her shoes and picked her spot at the end of the big outdoor sofa that seemed to be the focal point, sipping her first margarita.  JC was manning the grill, along with his brother.  The two seemed to be getting along much better than the night before.  They’d been joking with each other and laughing for the past half an hour, at least.

If anyone knew about what had happened earlier, they didn’t say anything about it—thank god.  Ellie was furious with Jill.  How could she have not shared something so important?  But at the same time, Ellie was pretty sure that if Jill would have told her, she would have stopped any interest she may have had in JC to begin with. And, quite frankly, the thought of all the wonderful things she was experiencing with him not happening was kind of scary.  She was so ridiculously confused.  None of it made any sense.

The one thing it did remind her of was the fact that there hadn’t been any follow-through on the whole HIV testing issue.  Ellie had.  She’d went to the doctor just like she’d said she would and had a complete physical while she was there.  Mainly because she’d wanted to get on some type of birth control.  But the whole discussion with JC had never been brought up again.  Obviously it was something they did need to discuss again.  She wasn’t looking forward to that.

She didn’t really want to remind him that he’d been sort of a man-whore.  Or at least that she even thought that way.  But how could she not?  It was all so confusing, especially after he’d so honestly confessed that he was falling head over heels in love with her.

Just thinking about that made her head spin. 

Her eyes floated across his figure as he stood a good fifteen steps away.  He was gorgeous—relaxed denim, casual blue t-shirt and brown leather flip flops on his feet.  His dark hair was kind of messy on top—lack of styling, which was just fine by her—and soft as silk when she’d had the opportunity to touch it a little bit earlier.  His amazing blue eyes made her stomach dip every time he looked at her.   But it wasn’t just all that.  He had this aura about him.  This completely sexy and inviting aura.  It was an understated confidence—something so simple and so appealing, all at the same time.

She was falling in love with him too.  If she hadn’t been, she would have split after the whole ordeal with Jill.  But now her feelings were too vested.  Besides, it wasn’t his fault.  He hadn’t known her ten years earlier.  Shit, Jill hadn’t even known Ellie ten years earlier.

What a mess.

Bringing her tall glass to her lips, she took a long, slow slip of her half-melted margarita.  She didn’t mind that it was a little watered-down.  It still tasted good.  His eyes caught her again, as they had been every couple of minutes or so, and that crazy rush of longing hit her square in the chest.  “You want another one?” he mouthed, casually pointing to her glass.

She shook her head no. 

“You okay?” He was still mouthing his words.

Resting her glass on her knee, she nodded her head yes.  He grinned, sort of goofy-like, and she was instantly returning the look. 

She realized then that Mac, who was sitting closest to her, had directed the conversation her way.  She turned to respond, but JC was still in her line of sight.  Her attention didn’t leave him for a second, and he knew it.  He totally knew it… and that was just fine.

Darkness came.  They ate and Tyler lit the fire pit.  JC settled in beside Ellie and wrapped his arm around her shoulders.  Some of his guests had left.  Only a few were left.  Classic Michael was playing at a fairly low decibel from the built-in speakers on the deck—“Rock With You”.

It was a pretty kick-back atmosphere.  It was an environment she could get used to.  James’ gatherings had always been so formal and stuffy.  This was so much more comfortable, even with all the drama she’d dealt with early on in the evening.

Tyler was sitting catty-corner from them, telling a story about the crazy girl he’d been dating back home.  Ellie wasn’t quite sure where his home was.  He seemed to live with JC half the time and then half the time somewhere else.  She’d find out more on that when she felt more comfortable asking.  She wondered what the hell he did for a living, but she didn’t feel comfortable asking that either.

What did feel comfortable was the warmth of JC’s body beside her.  Why did he have to feel so damn right?  Why was it that every ounce of her body longed to be as close to him as possible?  It had to mean something.  It had to mean she was making the right choice, still being there.

She wasn’t sure how long they’d been sitting when he leaned into her ear and whispered, “let’s go inside.”

Her look said enough.  He immediately stood and began telling his goodbyes.  Ellie grinned and made cordial farewells, and then let JC take her hand and guide her into the house.  They didn’t stop in the kitchen or the living room.  He took her straight to his bedroom, then shut and locked the door.

“Sit down,” he told her in a tone that almost made her nervous.

She plopped down on the edge of his bed and just stared, completely doe-eyed.

With a huff, he sat down beside her, folding his hands together in his lap and looking straight ahead.  “I feel really shitty about what happened earlier.”

Ellie didn’t really know what to say to that.  She just kind of stared at him even though he wasn’t looking back.

“Do you think can we get past it?” He finally looked up at her, bringing one hand to the back of his neck and resting it there.

She didn’t really like this serious side to JC.  It was sort of disturbing.  She was finally open to all the feelings that were going on between them.  It was hard to imagine it all washing away.

“You’re not saying anything,” he continued, still sounding unsure.  “I know you probably think I’m this huge jerk who’s slept with half the country—and I can understand why you’d think that.  I can.  But it’s not like that.  I mean, yes, I’ve probably slept with more woman than the average guy—I’m not really proud of that fact, especially right this second, but—”

“JC… Stop.”  She had to interrupt him.  She couldn’t let him keep going on like that.

“No, there’s more.”  The look in his eyes told her how badly he needed to continue.  “I kind of poured my heart out to you earlier.  I mean, I laid it all out there, and I know that you are going through a lot right now and I probably shouldn’t have been so open with my feelings, but now I’m not even sure if you’re feeling what I’m feeling.”  His chin dropped then, a look of defeat across his face, as he breathed a quiet, “Fuck, I don’t know.”

It was at that moment she realized he was having a moment of insecurity.  It took her too long to realize it, but it had caught her completely off guard—totally and completely off guard.  He was always so confident in everything he did, but it donned her—just like he’d said—he was only human.   

She didn’t hesitate one second more.  She maneuvered swiftly until she'd straddled his lap, bracing her hands at his neck while his arms automatically slipped around her waist.  “JC, if I wasn’t so goddamn crazy about you, I wouldn’t still be here right now.”

He was the one staring doe-eyed now.

Leaning her face into his, she whispered, “It scares me that being with you isn’t scary at all, especially when things happen like what happened earlier tonight.”  Then she pressed her lips to his just for a brief moment.  “You’re amazing, and you make me feel amazing, and as long as you’re not sleeping with half the country right now, I don’t care what you did before we met.”

He pushed a loud breath of air through his nose.  “I didn’t—”

“It doesn’t matter,” Ellie cut him off, silencing his lips were her thumb pressed against them.  She dropped it just as quickly as she’d put it there.  “I get it.  Okay?” Her fingers tangled into his hair enjoying the soft silky feel against her touch.  “I mean, what guy wouldn’t have took advantage of such an opportunity?”

Instantly he shook his head and her hands fell automatically, resting at her thighs.  “It really wasn’t like that.  I mean, there were times—yes—but for a lot of the time I was in the group, I had a serious girlfriend.  I know how to be a good boyfriend, Ellie.  I swear I do.”

She couldn’t help but smile, even if it was just a little.  “I believe you.  I think you’re amazing.  Didn’t I tell you that?”

Nodding, he inched close enough to brush his mouth to hers just once, like he was afraid to push it.  But Ellie instantly wanted more.  As soon as he was breaking free, she was following for another capture,  a bit more passionate about it.  His lips just felt so damn good against her.  She couldn’t help it. 

“I am falling in love with you,” she confessed a moment later, just a little breathless.  “Head over heels, just like you said.”

This time he was smiling when his mouth took hers for another time, his breath mingling with her own as his tongue slipped delicately into her mouth.  “I think you’re amazing, too,” he said, after the brief exchange.  “I’m just not really sure that I deserve you.”

Words like that she didn’t dare take seriously.  “Now that’s just crazy,” she told him.  Then she grinned and smoothed her palm down the side of his face, before kissing the corner of his mouth.

How the hell was she supposed to bring up the whole testing issue now?


JC spent Sunday catching up with his brother.  Ellie spent the day stewing over the previous nights events.  She wasn’t anywhere near ready to talk to Jill.  She wanted to talk to JC, but the night before had ended a little awkward—as much as they had both tried to make it not be—and she wanted to give him a little space.  Her heart wanted to spend every second with him, but her head knew that it just wasn’t healthy to actually do that.

Regardless, it was all leaving her a little lonely.  It was the first time she’d really felt that way since she’d moved out.  She couldn’t call Jill and she was doing her best not to call JC.  Unfortunately, with her select group of close friends, that didn’t leave her too many options.  The TV was her best friend for the moment.  She flipped through the channels aimlessly until she found a decent drama on the Lifetime network.

It was nearly eight o’clock when her phone rang.  She assumed immediately it was JC since she’d yet to hear from him all day and answered with a harmonious “hello?”

“El?”  The voice on the line definitely wasn’t JC.  It was quite the opposite.  It was female.  It was inherently distressed.  It was her sister.

Tension instantly filled Ellie’s chest.  Her posture went stiff as she popped up straight on the couch.  “Rose.  What’s wrong?”  There was no concern in the words.  It was something she’d asked so many times, she couldn’t make herself feel no matter how hard she tried.

Sniffles and sobs automatically filled the phone line.  “I’m stranded.  All alone.  I have no money.  Ellie, I need you.  Will you come get me?”

Closing her eyes, years of heartache flashed through her head—dozens of second chances, promises that never stuck.  But still, she couldn’t leave her stranded—alone.  “Where?”  Ellie asked simply, her tone mechanical. 

“Some little Podunk town between L.A. and Palm Springs.  My ride ditched me while I was in the bathroom.”

Ellie’s jaw was clenched, her teeth gritting together.  She didn’t want to hear it.  “Just save it and give me the address,” she spoke gruffly.

“Please don’t be mad at me, El.  I’m trying to get better.  I really am.  Just don’t be mad.”

Ellie’s head was shaking back and forth—too much nervous energy.  “The address, Rose.  Just get me the address.”

It took a couple of minutes for Rose to get it.  She’d had to ask someone else.  Of course she didn’t know where she was.  After writing the information down, Ellie hung up the phone, slipped into her shoes, grabbed her purse and headed for the car, not even sure why she was going in the first place.

How many times had she been through this?  It wasn’t healthy.  She should have just hung up the phone and let her sister find her own way, but she couldn’t do it.  She just couldn’t.

The garage door was opening as she slipped into the driver seat of her Mercedes sedan.  She’d been trying to calm her breathing when she noticed JC walking up in her side-view mirror.  With a swallow, she hit the button to open the window. 

He was already there, leaning in as soon as he was able.  “What’s the matter?”

“It’s my sister.  I have to go get her.”

His brow furrowed in response, an obvious moment of surprise. Then his expression smoothed—that understated confidence.  “Get out,” he said.  “I’ll drive.”

Ellie shook her head.  “She’s a mess, JC.  She’s probably…” but her words drifted.  She couldn’t finish.

“You’re upset.”  He was opening her door now, not giving her much choice.  “Please, just let me drive you.”

She conceded, practically oozing out of the car.  He slid in while she moved around to the passenger seat.  He asked where they were going and she told him.  The car was quiet then, as he maneuvered the vehicle down the dark street, heading for the freeway.  Ellie let her body sink into the fine leather seat, staring blankly out the window.


JC stole quick glances at Ellie every time the traffic would allow.  He really didn’t like to see her so upset.  He’d seen her distraught before, for sure, but this was so obviously different.  It brought out this innate sense to protect her, to shield her. 

It was really quite odd how he’d managed to show up just at the right time.  After their conversation the night before, and the fact that she hadn’t called him once the entire day, honestly he’d been starting to think it was all just too much for her—that he was just too much for her.  Of course, he already felt so much that it was going to take a lot more than a little insecurity to keep him away.  That’s why he’d been on his way over.  He wasn’t the type to give up—obviously.

Having that conversation with her now was the last thing he wanted to do.  It was probably a good thing.  He’d said enough the night before as it was.  He would be there for support, to help in any way that she needed him to help.

“JC?” Ellie finally broke the quiet spell.  They were outside the city lights, heading towards the desert. 

“You okay?” he asked instinctively, seeing her shake her no from the corner of his eye.

“Not really,” she answered.  “There’s something I need to ask you and I’m going to apologize now if it upsets you.”

He let his eyes look over at her again, longer than he should of while driving 75 miles per hour.  “Okay… go ahead.”

The quietness of the car made it impossible not to notice the loud breath of air she pushed out.  “You remember when we had that little…accident…at the hotel,” she cleared her throat, “in the shower and we were both supposed to go get tested afterward?”

Why was his throat suddenly dry?  Did hers not come back negative?  Fuck.  “Yes,” he said trying not to sound nervous.  How the hell would he react to that type of news?  He was trying to brace himself for the worst.

“Well, did you?”

His face scrunched with confusion.  “Of course.  It was fine.”

“Fine?  You mean negative?”

He was looking at her again, clearly aware that he needed to be paying more attention to the road.  “Yes.  Negative.  And you?”

Her neck kind of craned back as if she was surprised he was asking that, but the way she’d brought it up.  He turned his eyes quickly back to the road, mentally willing himself to pay better attention before he killed them both.  His foot instinctively eased off the pedal and he moved the car into the right lane, the slow lane.

“The same,” she finally said.  “Are you mad?”

Confused was more like it.  “I’m not mad, but the way brought it up I thought maybe you had bad news or something.”  He was trying to be as nonchalant as possible.

“Oh… oh!” 

What he’d said obviously clicked.  “But you were more worried about me, right?  After what happened yesterday?”  It shouldn’t have bothered him.  Could he really blame her?

“I’m sorry,” was all she said.

“Maybe this should have been a conversation to have while not driving,” he remarked.

“I’m sorry,” she said again.  Her voice was soft—timid.

He was shaking his head, shaking the thoughts away.  “It’s fine.  I understand.  I’m sorry, too.”

His eyes dropped as he felt the warm touch of her fingers against the top of his hand.  “Thank you,” she told him.  “Thank you for being here.”

He let out a deep breath, his body relaxing at the feel of her touch.  With a grin, he reached up to touch her cheek.  “You’re welcome,” he said.  “I wouldn’t have it any other way.” 

She smiled too, sort of shy-like.  “I know.”

© BrandyRae 2008

Chapter 18 by BrandyRae
The Good Neighbor by BrandyRae
Chapter 18

It was the quietest time they’d ever spent together.  No music.  No talking.  After Ellie had got the one thing that had been bothering her off her chest, she reached over and grabbed his hand, tangling her fingers with his.  He hadn’t let her go since.  She was thankful to have his support.  Rescuing her sister was always a stressful situation.  She had no idea what she was about to find.

Rose’s simplistic directions took them to a truck stop out in the middle of nowhere.  Just a freeway exit with a gas station and a Subway sandwich counter inside the oversized convenient store.  The bright outdoor lighting served as a giant spotlight in the darkness.  As JC slowly maneuvered the car towards the white stucco building it was hard to miss Rose, slumped at the corner, sitting on the curb with her head down. 

It was amazing she hadn’t been kidnapped or raped or mugged, sitting there for who knows how long, dressed the way she was.  Rose typically found someone to fund her indulgences—fashion and drugs.  It was obvious that the recent months had been no exception.

She didn’t look like a junkie—far from it—but still she was a mess.  Maybe not obviously, but Ellie could spot the signs a mile away.  It had a been nearly a year since they’d spoke because of it. 

It was at that moment that Ellie realized, Rose didn’t know about her divorce.

“Is that her?” JC asked at that very moment.

Ellie nodded.  “She doesn’t know.”

“That’s okay.” 

She was sure JC thought that Rose didn’t know about him.  Obviously that was also true.  “She doesn’t even know about the divorce.”

“Oh.”  The word came out soft, almost silent.

“She probably won’t even notice,” Ellie told him as he parked, not in the space directly in front, but in the one right beside Rose.  “Just stay in the car.”

“Are you sure?” 

She gave another reassuring nod and said, “it’s fine.”

Rose was already standing up as Ellie popped open her car door and got out.  Rose was beautiful, although not in the same way as she’d been before.  Long, dark hair hung limply around her shoulders.  What used to be thick and wavy was now dry and straggly.  Her green eyes were dark and hollow, yet somehow still piercing against her porcelain skin.   She was thin—thinner than she should be—but even still it was impossible not to notice Rose.  She’d been striking since the day she was born.  If only that had been enough.

“Ellie,” she spoke softly, timidly, as she stood up straight and made a step towards her, a bit wobbly.  “Thank you.”

Ellie simply nodded once.  “Come on.  Let’s get out of here.”

Rose agreed, her face dropping.  “I’m so tired.”

“You can sleep in the backseat.”

“Who’s driving?”  Ellie could see Rose squinting her eyes, trying to make out the face behind the dark tinted windows.

“My friend, JC.”

“Oh… okay.”  There was so much defeat in her tone, almost like it took every ounce of energy just to speak.

Opening the door, Ellie slid the seat forward so Rose could climb in.  Immediately the fragile girl curled into the warm leather seat and laid her head against the frame of the window.

Ellie pushed her seat back and sat down.  “Put your seatbelt on,” she told her sister.

Rose followed the instruction mechanically.  Her eyes were already closed.

JC didn’t say a word, just backed out and headed toward the freeway.

Not even fifteen minutes later Ellie could hear Rose snoring softly in the back seat.  Automatically she reached down and turned on the radio, just loud enough to drown it out.  JC’s eyes caught her then.  “You okay?” he mouthed.

She blinked and nodded, her lips smoothing into a tight line.  It was sort of a smile, the best she could manage.

“Do you think she needs a doctor?”  His voice had come out so soft, Ellie had barely understood his words.

Yes, Rose definitely needed a doctor—probably many, along with serious counseling and everything else that came with rehab and some type of long-term follow-up program.  Ellie answered him with a subtle nod and added, “but I think she’s okay for tonight.”

His focus returned to the road, but she was still staring at him.  This huge swell of emotion wound up tight in her chest.  She was so completely thankful to have his support at that moment.  James had never supported her emotionally.  He would have handled the situation by sending a driver and then never discussing it again.  Rose needed rehab?  Here’s a check.  Problem solved.

Obviously the problem wasn’t solved.

JC didn’t ask unnecessary questions.  He was just there.  It meant more to her than she could have possibly imagined. 

Leaning across the roomy sedan, she shifted until she was able to kiss his cheek, her palm against his thigh and her elbow digging into the leather console between them.  “I love you,” she whispered against his ear.  “Thank you so much.”

She noticed the play of a smile at his lips.  He twisted his neck just enough to catch site of her for a quick moment.  As she settled back into her seat, he grabbed her hand before she pulled it away.  Then he brought it to his mouth, kissing the back of it.  “I love you, too.”  It was barely audible, but she read his lips without any problem.  “And you’re welcome.”

Rose’s snore grew loud at that moment and Ellie chuckled as he dropped her hand, returning his grip to the wheel instead.  Content, she smoothed her touch to his leg and kept it there for the rest of the drive.


It was after one in the morning when they pulled into Ellie’s garage.  JC had felt his phone buzz in his pocket at least a couple of times, but he hadn’t answered.  There was nothing that could have been more important than what he was dealing with at the moment.

He was still in shock over Ellie’s expressed sentiment.  He’d never expected her to say it so soon.  She may have confessed falling in love with him, but actually saying those three little words… He figured he would been the one to give in first. 

The fact that she had…Wow.  There was so much he wanted to show her at the moment, but he knew there was a more important focus and he had to keep his thoughts on track.

“This might be tough.”  Ellie was already climbing out of the seat, releasing the lever so she could wedge herself in the back, in front of Rose.  JC was coming around to help, watching as Ellie gave her sister a good shake.  “Rose, wake up.”  There was nothing gentle about the way she was handling her.  In fact, it was quite rough.  Ellie looked up at him, disgruntled, as he stood just outside the door.  Then she repeated the command, even louder this time.  Rose didn’t budge.

Was she even breathing?

“I could carry her,” he suggested hesitantly.

Elle shook her head no, not so much at the suggestion, but more obviously because of the irritation.  “I would just leave her in the car if I wasn’t afraid that she might take off with it when she wakes up.”

JC didn’t say anything to that.

Ellie reached forward then and unbuckled her sister’s seatbelt.  Rose stirred slightly and groaned.  “Wake up, dammit,” Ellie cursed.  “Just give me a little help and you can go right back to sleep.”

Rose’s eyes barely opened.  “I’m sorry.”  She sounded so weak, so timid, so… fragile. 

Ellie pulled on one of her arms.  “Don’t be sorry.  Just get up.”

“Do you want help?” JC asked.  He hated watching her struggle.

“No,” Ellie answered gruffly, collapsing against the back side of the front passenger seat as her grip slipped away from Rose’s arms.  Rose still didn’t budge.  Her eyes were closed again.

With a huff, JC realized he couldn’t just stand there and watch any longer.  Rose couldn’t have been more than a hundred pounds.  He was plenty strong enough.

“Come on,” he told Ellie, helping her to her feet just outside the car door.  Then he leaned inside the car and snatched the frail girl around the waist.  He pulled her out and then heaved her body over his shoulder.  He just didn’t feel comfortable carrying her any other way.

Ellie rushed to get the door in front of him.  “JC, I’m so sorry.”

He shook his head.  “Don’t worry about it.”  As long as the girl didn’t puke, he’d be okay.  “Where to?”

“Spare room.”  Ellie led the way, turning on all the lights.  Rose seemed oblivious to it all.  Finally he was able to lay her down on the bed.  He watched silently as Ellie slipped off a pair of high dollar Louboutin heels from Rose’s feet—the red soles unmistakable even to him—and then covered her with a blanket.

Ellie looked up at him with exhaustion in her eyes and pulled him out of the room, turning off the light and shutting the door behind them.

“I should go?” he asked, thinking first that she probably wanted to be alone after all she’d just endured.  He understood differently once she collapsed against him, her arms hugging around his waist.  “I mean, I should stay,” he said instead.

“I understand if you don’t want to, but I really don’t want to be alone tonight.”

Brushing a hand down the back of her head, he pressed his mouth against her hair.  “I don’t want you to be alone tonight either.”  The words had double meaning.  Yes, he didn’t want her to be alone with all that she was going through, but the selfish part of him didn’t want her to be alone simply for the fact that he wanted to be with her.

She sighed, obviously exhausted, still clinging to him.  “Do you need to go home first?”  Her warm cheek was pressed into his chest.  At this rate if he did have to go, he’d have to drag her with him.

“No, not really.  I should probably check my messages though.”

He felt her nod her head against him, but the grip she had on him didn’t loosen.  “My phone’s in my pocket,” he smirked, stroking her head again.  “I don’t think we shut the garage either.”

Finally she let him go. 

Leaning down, he pressed a tender kiss to her lips.  “Why don’t you go get comfortable and I’ll meet you in bed?”

Half smiling, she silently agreed.  JC kissed her forehead and then headed back to the garage to lock up and check his phone.

 

Ellie got to her room, realizing she didn’t just need to get comfortable, she needed a steamy hot shower.  She stripped down and turned the temperature as hot as she could possibly stand it.  For several minutes she stood still under the steady stream of water.  Then she finally mustered the energy to soap and wash her hair. 

When she made it into her bedroom, wrapped in a huge fluffy bath towel, she found JC sitting at the head of her bed, his shirt stripped off, as were his shoes and socks; just a long pair of dark gray skater looking shorts were all that was left on him.  His style had been more of punk rock JC tonight, thin gray polyester-blend shorts, black zipped up hoodie and black boots.  She loved how there were so many faucets to his ever-changing style.

Of course wearing next to nothing was the best style. 

She took another step, so tired she almost felt drunk.  Her goofy smile must’ve shown it as she stumbled into her walk-in closet, his eyes following her the entire way.

She pulled a pair of pale green cotton shorts and a  matching skinny-strapped tank out of one of the built in drawers and slipped them both on.  She didn’t have enough energy to care if her pajamas were sexy or not.  She just wanted to be comfortable.

Before making her way to the bed, she moved back into the bathroom, grabbing the bottle of lotion from the cabinet.  Her skin felt dry, probably because of the scalding hot water.  She was still warm from it, too.

Finally she slid onto the bed beside JC, pushing the blankets down with her feet but not getting inside of them.  She squirted a dollop of lotion into her hand and rubbed her palms together before smoothing it up and down the length of her arms.  She may have been tired, but she wasn’t too tired to notice he was watching.

When she reached for the bottle again, he took it from her.  “I’ll do it,” he said simply.

She smiled at him again—still loopy with exhaustion. 

His hand curled around the bottom of her left calf and he guided her legs his direction.  Then he warmed a quarter-sized pool of lotion between both hands before smoothing it up her shin.  When his touch slid to the back of her calf, he kneaded the muscle with just enough pressure to help her relax.  Her eyes to automatically closed, practically rolling back into her head.  The muted groan that escaped her throat must have urged him to continue because the next thing she knew, moisturizing had turned into a full blown leg massage.

Ellie wasn’t complaining in the slightest bit.  Not when he pulled her down so she was laying instead of sitting.  Not when his thumbs carefully pressed upward along the top of her thighs.  And certainly not when his warm touch smoothed up along her hip, the weight of his body rolling into her as his lips moved to hers in a completely breathless kiss.

Suddenly all she wanted to do was tell him that she loved him again.  Thankfully her voice was tied up at the moment—whimpering in delight, pretty much—because she didn’t want to overdo the ‘I love yous’ already.  She hadn’t decided yet if it had been okay to say it in the first place.

JC was humming when his mouth broke free from her minutes later.  “I’m sorry I haven’t asked, but are you okay?  Do you want to talk about it?”

She smiled at him.  He was still so close, the tip of his nose almost touching the tip of her nose.  “Tomorrow,” she said, not able to drudge up enough energy for more conversation than that.

He kissed the side of her nose, just under her eye.  “You’re so tired.  I should let you sleep.”

Instead of arguing with words she let the hold she’d had around his torso tighten, enjoying the warmth of his skin and the tautness of his strong frame as he eased his weight against her.  Then she pressed her mouth against his jaw, trailing kisses up towards his ear.

“Or not…” his voice trailed off.

His body shifted, one of his legs sneaking in between hers.  Her leg curled, allowing him better access as his palm smoothed up the back of her thigh, then even higher, inside her short shorts.  She couldn’t be close enough, every cell wanted to cling to him, to practically be a part of him.  Her hand smoothed into his hair, the action causing his sight to catch with hers.  “I am exhausted,” she said in a soft whispery voice.  “But I still want you… so bad.”

JC was grinning again, all sexy and appealing.  He kissed the corner of her mouth and then just in front of her ear.  “I’ll take care of you,” he spoke softly against her skin.  “You don’t have to move a muscle.”

Ellie chuckled, her voice coming out a little hoarse.  “I plan on moving a couple.”  Now she was giggling at herself.

Clearly delirious.

Why had the day been so draining when she’d laid around all day?  Oh, that’s right, she’d rescued her addict sister at a gas station nearly two hours away.  Emotional turmoil was always more exhausting than the physical.

Both of her hands smoothed up to his cheeks, stubbled and a little rough, as his mouth found hers again, still grinning.  “You’re dingy when you’re tired,” he said after another moment.

“Mmmm…” she agreed with a  hum.  “I like that you want to take care of me, though.”

His lips brushed over hers once more, his tongue delicately slipping against hers.  “I do…” he said, and then kissed her again more thoroughly.  It was crazy how quickly he could make her heart race  and her body tingle.  “…completely and thoroughly want to take care of you.”  Then he ran one lone finger down her neck, across her collarbone and straight down the center of cleavage, as far as her flimsy shirt would allow.  “I want to satisfy every inch of you.”  His voice had come out husky; thick with obvious desire.  If she’d been just tingly before, now she was totally electrified.

“How did I get so lucky?” she asked him, both her hands now braced loosely around his neck.

He smiled, wide and handsome.  “I think I’m the lucky one,” he said, then didn’t allow her to respond, swallowing her voice as his mouth pressed into hers, needy and passionate.  Her head was practically spinning when he let her catch her breath, reaching past her to switch off the lamp on her nightstand.  The room was instantly dark.

The sudden absence of his warm body had her searching for the blankets, but he was back only seconds later, his shorts gone and probably tossed away somewhere carelessly.  He sunk into her and it was like instant relief washed over her.  Then he covered them both with the bedding and nestled his face into the crook of her neck.  Light as a feather, his lips puckered against the warm flesh just below her ear.  Her arms curled around him instinctively, smoothing down the muscles along his spine.  His body was so warm and so strong, but his skin was smooth, soft.  It was the best thing she’d ever touched, ever felt.

She hooked both her legs around his.  She needed him closer, as close as possible.

JC was humming with appreciation as he made a path of kisses down her chest.  The tone of his voice was almost as pleasing as the moist pressure of his lips against her skin.  Ellie smoothed a hand into his hair, sucking in heavy, weighted breaths.  “I want you.”

“Mmmm… I want you too…” he didn’t look up when he answered.  Instead he smoothed a hand up her waist, inside her tank top while his mouth continued with the trail across her flesh.

Her eyes closed, her insides a rushing river of desire.  “I want you now…” she clarified.

He chuckled, still husky and deep.  “You have me,” he said, his face returning to hers, his lips meeting hers.  She wrapped her body against him even more, if it were even possible.

In one swift movement his hand swooped up her side, taking her shirt with it until it was up and over her head.  Then his warm stomach stretched out against hers, his chest touching her chest, although he didn’t let all of his weight crush into her.  When his lips found hers again she was smiling and she knew at that moment that she couldn’t hold it in.  She needed to say it again.

“I love you…” But JC beat her to it.  “I love everything about you.”

“You just read my mind,” she told him.  “I was going to say it.”

He kissed her again, sweetly and delicately.  “You said it first earlier.”

“I meant it.”

“I meant it too,” he assured, smoothing a hand down the side of her head.  His face fell against hers, but his lips didn’t touch her.  “I thought I’d be the one to say it first.”  Then his mouth fell to hers, his lips lingering softly against her lips, his tongue touching hers delicately, just for a moment.

She smiled, even though his lips were still on her, barely moving.  “It felt good to say it,” she confessed.

He was smiling then, too, against her.  “It felt good to hear it and to say it,” he murmured.

Her smile turned into a giddy chuckle, but only lasted a quick moment.  “You’re so amazing,” she sighed.  “I love being with you.”

With another appealing hum, he pressed his mouth into hers once more.  “I love being with you, too,” he agreed.  “You’re the one that’s amazing.”  Then his lips were joined with hers once more.

She was giggling again moments later when he let her have a breath.  “We could go on like this all night.”

“We could…”

“You have to stop agreeing with me,” she smirked, smoothing both hands around his sides and up his sturdy back. 

“But I do agree with you.”  He stared at her long enough to cock his head to the side and raise one half of his brow.  His elbows securing the weight of him on either side of her, he shifted and brought a hand to her face, his gentle touch skimming down her cheek.  It was all so loving… He was so loving. 

She couldn’t remember the last time she’d felt such emotion come from a man. 

“You won’t always,” she said playfully.

“But I do now…” he was smiling, his other hand at the other side of her face.

“You agree that we should stop talking then?”

He pressed another brief kiss against her mouth.  “Only if were not talking because our lips are too busy.”

“Hmmm…” Her hands smoothed along his spine, down his lower back, until her touch felt the firmness of his muscular behind, half pushing his underwear out of the way in the process.  “I like that idea,” she told him.

When he kissed her again, it wasn’t playful or brief; it was hungry and passionate and thorough.  She felt him finagling the rest of the way out of his briefs and then a quick moment later he was carefully slipping her panties down her thighs, enough so that she could wiggle out of them and kick them out the side of the bed.  Through all that their lips had barely parted ways and when the warmth of his sexy frame weighted into her once again, there was nothing but skin to skin contract—warm and strong and soft and absolutely amazing against her.

She’d never felt such a desperate need for a man to be a part of her.  As desperate as she’d wanted him the first time, the feeling had only intensified.  She wondered how it could possibly get any stronger.   It already consumed her in every possible way.

Her entire body ached.  She was so caught up with desire, she could hardly form a coherent thought, let alone a word or sentence.  She was thankful that she didn’t have to, because she was just about to try and murmur her feelings when he finally eased his way inside of her, his kiss not waning in the slightest, as he completely and thoroughly filled her up.

Against his mouth, she gasped lightly and he automatically gave her space to breath, all the while his eyes bore down into hers with so much sincerity.  Instantly she was clutching at his neck.  She didn’t want his kisses to stop.  It was like she’d been stranded in the desert and he was her drink of life.  She needed him.

Pulling him back down to her, he grinned something sexy as his lips returned, just before his tongue tangled intimately with her own.  It was then that his hips began to work their magic, the dance beginning as she met each thrust with perfect synchronicity.  Desire swelled inside of her; pooled to the center where their bodies joined, but spilling over to every other inch of her heightened flesh.  At that moment, he was her entire world—being with him was the only thing that mattered.  She was completely and utterly consumed.

He seemed to be in just as deep, his pleasure far from contained as he breathed weighted breaths in between deep, passionate kisses.  His fingers were tangled loosely in her hair at the top of her head.  If her fingernails would’ve been sharp, she probably would have left scratch marks up and down his back.  And as the intensity escalated, their need for each other grew almost indescribable.  She realized he was just as close, as his kiss had turned so hard that her lips were almost numb.  Even still, through that, he didn’t kiss her hard enough.  If it were at all possible to kiss him more, she would have.

When his mouth broke free for just a quick moment, her lips throbbed, and even still she wanted them back immediately.  The quick rush of breath in his chest was felt against her as he whispered something about “coming so hard.”

It was at that moment her eyes shut, her head tilting back involuntarily as she felt herself tightening around him intimately.  She whispered a curse, and his lips were on her instantly, silencing her as he thrust into her hard and deep.  She almost wanted to cry, the pleasure was so great.

Her whimpers turned into moans as he met each spasm of pleasure with perfect timing, lifting his lips just enough to breath a quiet curse into her mouth as he was obviously coming with her.  She felt him tense and sputter, while pushing even deeper inside of her, her walls clenching tightly around him as she started to cry out, his lips silencing her again.

And just when she thought it was over, it wasn’t.  The tremors kept coming and coming and coming.  Until finally neither one of them moved an inch, except for their lips that hadn’t stopped kissing the other.

After another moment he pulled back with a smile, only to come right back so he could plant soft, delicate pecks all round her mouth.

She was grinning too.  She’d never felt so completely satisfied in all of her 30 years.  NEVER.

“THAT—” he started to say.

But she silenced him quickly.  “Don’t talk,” she said.  “Not yet.”

So he didn’t.  Instead he kissed her again.

And she was smiling again.

A few moments later, he’d lifted his face, ready to talk.  She could see it.  But she pressed her thumb to his lips to stop him.

She wanted to talk first.  “That was the most amazing thing I’ve ever felt in my life.”  She could have said it was the most amazing sex—and it absolutely was—but it was so much more than that and she wanted to be sure he understood.

He was smiling wide when he kissed her again, letting his tongue delicately toy with her bottom lip before he raised up again to meet her stare.  “Damn you,” he whispered lightly.  “That’s what I  was gonna say.”

Softly she smirked.  “You have to stop agreeing with me,” she grinned.

But JC was already shaking his head no.  “I kind of like agreeing with you,” he told her softly, kissing her one more time.  “Specially when it turns out like THIS.”

© BrandyRae 2008

Chapter 19 by BrandyRae
Author's Notes:
Just moving to my original penname for consistency now that I have access.  Update coming soon!

Chapter 19

The smile was still plastered across JC’s face when he woke up the next morning.  He felt amazing.  He couldn’t recall a woman ever satisfying him so completely, both physically and emotionally.  He’d had great sex.  Honesty, he had had a lot of great sex.  And he had felt some very strong emotions during the course of his adult life.  But never had he felt such a strong combination of the two.  The connection he was experiencing with Ellie was better than anything he’d ever felt before.  He was in love... and it was so good it was indescribable.  

With a breathy and sappy sigh he rolled his nude body towards her side of the bed and ran his hand across the sheets where she’d been lying.  She’d rolled out quietly just a few minutes earlier, after kissing him softly and quietly on the temple.  He’d been awake enough just for the sentiment to stir him into consciousness. He’d barely opened his eyes in time to admire her curvy, naked behind before she disappeared into her adjoining bathroom.  

Rolling onto his back, he was still grinning, replaying their lovemaking in his head while staring blankly at the ceiling.  Did being in love feel this good the last time?  He didn’t think it did.  Yes, it had been awhile, but he couldn’t remember ever feeling like this.

When she reappeared, still utterly and completely nude--and gorgeous--she noticed instantly that he was awake, and watching her every move.  She grinned just as sappily as he felt and voiced a whispery, “hi.”

“Hi.”  He smiled in return, watching as she gracefully climbed back underneath the covers with him.  

“Sleep ok?” she asked.

“Better than ever,” he responded, figuring it was safe to finally voice how deeply he was feeling after all they’d shared the night before.

Her grin widened as she leaned in close, sort of hovering above him.  “Still love me?” she asked.

Bringing a hand up to the side of her face, he responded with an “oh god yes.”

She chuckled lightly and touched her lips to his cheek, and then  to the corner of his mouth before finally indulging in his lips.  “Thank you,” she said to him.

“For what?” he asked.  

“For last night... for everything.”

Smoothing his fingers to the back of her neck and into her hairline, he urged her lips to his once again.  “Sweetheart, you have nothing to thank me for.  I should be thanking you.”

With a smirk she responded, “I have a feeling we could argue about this for a long time.”

Grinning, he knew she had a point.  “You are probably right.”

 

Ellie was wishing she could stay in her “JC bubble” for the rest of the morning, but she hadn’t forgotten about the situation with her sister and all that had happened in regard to that the night before.  It seemed there was always something to complicate matters.  Worst part was she didn’t want to burst his bubble by bringing it up, but she knew she had to.

“What do you have on your schedule today?” she asked first.

“Studio,” he said, “but not until 2 o’clock.”

If only she could stay in bed with him until then.  

His eyes widened, as if he suddenly realized it was a weekday.  “Shit, what time does Daphne come to work?”

Ellie hadn’t even thought about that! “Uh... ten?”  She reached for her blackberry off the nightstand to realize it was it was already 9:20.  “Dammit.”

“What time is it?” he asked.

“Too early,” she said first.  “Or too late,” she added with a smirk, tilting her head to the side for added effect.

“Can I see you again tonight?” he asked.  “I know you have a lot to deal with today.”

“I can’t imagine NOT seeing you tonight with all I have to deal with today,” Ellie remarked.

He grinned sympathetically.  “I was trying not to bring that up.”

Ellie replied the look.  “I thought you had forgot.”

“Well,” he said, the back of his index finger skimming down her cheek, “there were certainly other events that happened last night that overshadowed that specific event.”

“Yes,” she agreed, “they most certainly did.  Did I say thank you?”

His brow furrowed in between his eyes and he stared at her with faux annoyance. “You did, and you have nothing to thank me for.  Trust me, everything that happened last night was absolutely my pleasure.”  She got the feeling that he couldn’t stress that quite enough.  It made her absolutely giddy from head to toe.

She wanted to tell him that she had absolutely never felt anything like the way she was feeling with him, but she wasn’t quite that brave.  Maybe thanking him wasn’t the right sentiment, but she wasn’t quite sure how to put her gratitude into words.  She felt extremely thankful at the moment.  Even with all the things  going on in her life, she felt as if her cup was running over with goodness, all thanks to what was happening with the incredible man--handsome, loving, caring, funny, sexy, tender, and kind--staring her in the face.

“Ok,” she said after a brief moment, “I’ll stop thanking you.  Do you think we can manage a quick shower together? Or is that too risky?”

His eyes lit up at the offer, as he immediately started to sit up in bed.  “We can manage,” he replied with confidence, and then hopped out of bed.  Ellie quickly followed.

 

JC had barely made it out of the house before Daphne showed.  LIterally, he shut his front door as Daphne was pulling up to the house.  She knew this because she had been watching him out the window.   

Ellie was barely dressed, her hair was wet and she had no make-up on when she let Daphne in through the front door.  But that was the least of her concerns.  She realized that her sister would be waking up at some point, and she needed to make her assistant aware that a guest was staying in the house.  This was a touchy subject.  She needed Daphne to be aware that Rose was not in the best state of mind, but she did not want Daphne knowing all of the details.  That trust wasn’t there yet.

Daphne came inside, dressed conservatively in jeans and a black blazer.  She didn’t seem to bash an eyelash at Ellie’s state of unreadiness.  

Ellie was explaining immediately anyway.  “I had kind of a late night.  My sister is here and her arrival was unexpected.  I need you to know that she is not in the best state of mind right now so if she makes any requests please let me know immediately--before complying.”

Daphne nodded.  “No problem,” she said.  “Should I get started?”

“Yes, please.  I’m going to finish getting dressed and then we can go over my schedule for the week.”

“Ok.”

 

Across the street, JC was still floating on a cloud.  So much so that he was beginning to feel a bit ridiculous.  “So I assume everything is good?” Tyler asked, popping up off the couch as JC made way into the kitchen across from the family room.  He was starving and had his mind set on leftovers from the bbq that were still in the fridge. 

“Yep,” JC answered curtly.  Things were better with his brother, but he was in nowhere ready to share what he was feeling.

“I do like her,” Tyler added.  

JC responded with a curt smile as he opened the fridge.  “Good.”

“Not that my opinion matters... obviously”

JC stopped pulling food out of the fridge at that. “Ty, you know that’s not true.  I don’t know how many times I have to apologize for what I did to you, but I am sorry.  And I am trying to change.  Believe it or not, Ellie is the first girl I’ve been with since I made that stupid promise.”

“Stupid promise?” Tyler responded, his voice raised.  “JC, you slept with a girl I had been out with more than once just to spite me, and you’re my brother!”

JC was immediately defending himself.  “You had been out with her but not seriously, Ty.  Don’t make it sound worse than it was.”

“Josh... come on.”  

Clearly this was far from resolved if Tyler was resorting to calling JC by his full first name.    He waited for more to come.

“Serious or not, it was fucked up and you know it.”

“Ok, yes it was definitely fucked up.  But how many times do we have to do this?”

Tyler shook his head, obviously annoyed and more than likely still hurt.  It was reminders of such behaviors that made JC wonder if what was happening with Ellie was too good to be true.  Did he really deserve a shot at real love after behaving so badly in the recent past?  

What made JC any better than Ellie’s ex?  Ugh.  The morning was turning into a real downer.  Dammit Ty.  Just get over it already!

“I don’t know,” Ty finally said.  “Maybe we just need to duke it out like when we were kids.”

JC smirked.  “Don’t tempt me,” he said.  “I can get us in the ring in an hour if you really want to.”  That was no lie.  Mac’s brother owned a gym and trained MMA fighters.  

All it would take is one phone call.

“Honestly?” Ty said, “I think I’d feel a lot better.”

JC found himself smirking again.  “Alright, I’ll make the call right now.  I could use a good workout.”  If his brother wanted to fight this out, then so be it.

 

“Rose has been sleeping since we got in early this morning.  Should I try and wake her?”  It was one in the afternoon and it had been 12 hours since JC had carried Rose into the house, over his shoulder, and she’d collapsed in the guest room.  Ellie had checked on her several times since she’d gotten up and Rose was definitely still breathing, but the girl was knocked out. 

“Let her sleep it off,” Ellie’s mom replied.  “You know that’s best.  Then we can figure out what to do.”

“I hate this,” Ellie sighed.  “Why can’t I have a normal sister?”

“I’m sorry, El.  You know I’ve tried everything to fix Rose.”

“I know, mom.  I’m sorry if it sounded like I was blaming you.”

“I’d fly out there and handle this myself if I thought it would help, but in reality it would just add to what you’ve already got going on.”

“I know,” Ellie replied.

“Keep me updated, ok?  I’ve got my phone close by.”

“Ok, mom.  I love you.”

“Love you too sweetheart.  Keep your chin up.”

Ellie sighed, hanging up the phone and staring blankly at the kitchen wall.  Things were so crazy.  Her emotions were all over the place.  She wondered what JC was up to.  She hadn’t heard from him since he’d left.  Not one text or anything, which was kind of weird.  She had thought about sending something, but didn’t want to bug him.  He was probably just busy.  She knew he had studio time scheduled at 2.  Hopefully she’d hear something before then.

Daphne stepped into the kitchen then, carrying a large manilla envelope.  “Ellie, this was just delivered for you.”

Funny, she hadn’t even heard the door.  Stretching out an arm to accept it, Daphne handed it to her and waited for instruction.

“Thank you,” Ellie told her.  “I’ll let you know if I need anything else.”

Daphne nodded and left the room.  Exhaling a deep breath, Ellie tore open the envelope.  She was surprised to find it was settlement papers from James.  She’d been waiting for more than two weeks.  How did her attorney not know this was coming in the mail?

She skimmed it over, nervous tension in her chest until she learned that it was exactly what she and James had agreed upon--50 million dollars.  Oh, this sure made life a lot less complicated!  Hallelujah!

Excitedly she called Stephen Blake’s office and explained what she’d received to his secretary.  They wanted her to come in later that afternoon to review everything.  She had no problems with that!  Next she dialed JC.  This was such great news! She wanted to share with him right away.

His phone rang five or six times and then went to voicemail.  “I have good news.  Call me!” she spoke excitedly and then hung up, ready to make the next call.

It hadn’t even registered that things weren’t that great between her and Jill until her friend answered, clearly surprised by Ellie’s call.  “El, I’m so glad you called.  I hope we’re ok.”

Shit.  Now she had to talk about it.  How could she have forgotten so quickly?!  “We will be,” Ellie said.  “To be honest, I’d sort of forgotten about it already.”

“Shit, sorry.  Again.”

Ellie pushed the visuals of Jill and JC out of her mind.  “It’s ok.  I have good news.  I got settlement papers today from James.”

“That is fantastic news!!!  So?”

“Fifty,” Ellie said simply.

“You’re getting the fifty?  Just like he said?”

“From what I can tell, of course Stephen still has to review everything, but that’s what it looks like to me.”

“Don’t get too excited until Stephen reads all the fine print, but El, that is great.  You deserve it sweetie.  I’m happy for you.”

“I just want it to be behind me,” Ellie said.  “And since I have you on the phone, you should know that Rose called last night.”

“Rose?  Is she ok?”

“She is passed out in my guest room,” Ellie revealed, instinctively looking toward the doorway.  

“Oh.  Have you called her sponsor?”

“That’s next on my list.”

“You’ve had one helluva week, haven’t you?”

Just thinking about it and Ellie was exhuasted again.  “Yeah, I have.”  She realized she wasn’t ready to have a long drawn out conversation with Jill just yet.  She was still upset.  “I’m gonna get off here.  I have more calls to make.  I’ll keep you updated as things progress.”

“Ok, babe,” Jill called her.  “Take care of yourself.”

“I will.  Thanks.”

They both said goodbye and Ellie found herself slumping into the counter.  Of all the things that could ruin her high, it was remembering what had happened between JC and Jill.  The visual of a 20 year old Jill riding JC like a cowgirl riding a bucking bull popped into Ellie’s mind.  Ugh.  Bad visual.  She almost felt nauseous over it.  How was she ever going to get past this?  She’d seen pictures of Jill at 20 and everyone had seen pictures of JC ten years prior.  This was terrible.  It was way too easy to imagine them getting it on and then some.  She gagged audibly, just before Daphne popped in the doorway again.  

“JC is here,” the girl announced, just before JC popped in behind her.  Immediately Ellie was knocked off kilter as she couldn’t help but notice he was sporting a rather gnarly looking black eye.  

“What the?” she immediately asked, rushing toward him, her sight focused in on the bruised left side of his face.  

JC was shaking his head lightly back and forth while sighing with annoyance.  “I don’t want to talk about it,” he said.

Like that was going to stop Ellie.  “Who did this to you?”  

“Ty wanted to box and I agreed.”

“What?!”  That was the last thing she expected to hear!  “Why?!”

He made a face, his nose scrunching upward, and then immediately looked sorry that he had done so as it obviously hurt.  Then he looked over at Daphne who was still in the kitchen with them.

“Oh,” the girl remarked, like she had just realized that she should probably leave the room.  And just like that she was gone.

JC visibly swallowed and brushed a hand down her arm.  “He’s still pissed off at me,” he explained quietly.  “He wanted to get in the ring and duke it out like we did when we were kids. I stupidly agreed.”

“Please tell me he looks worse,” Ellie replied automatically.

JC half smiled at that.  “Actually, he doesn’t.  I kind of let him get one good swing on me hoping he would finally be satisfied.”

“So you’re telling me you let him give you black eye?”

“Kind of... yeah.”

Ellie shook her head and slipped her arms around his waist.  “So did it work?”

“I’m hoping...”JC replied as he nuzzled in close to her shoulder.  “I need Advil.  Do you have anything?”

“Of course.  Are you still going to the studio?”

He shook his head.  “I rescheduled.”

Ellie lightly touched his face.  “Oh, baby...” she called to him softly.  “This was really necessary?”

"I am so not about resorting to violence to solve things," he sighed. "This was just stupid. I'm just so ready to be passed this stupid thing with my brother. I have apologized endlessly and he still keeps bringing it up. I'm just hoping this will finally put it to rest."

"Oh JC. All this over..."  She couldn't say it. After the visual she'd just had of him and Jill and now this fued with his brother over him sleeping with a girl his brother liked... It was just too much. 

"I screwed up," JC said.  "It's not one of my finer moments.  Are you upset? Do you want me to leave?"  He was so ready to stop reliving this specific mistake but he also knew he had to be completely honest with Ellie for that to happen. And not just honest about what had happened but also about his state of mind at the time. 

Unfortunately it was at that very moment that Rose decided to appear, looking completely dishelved and disoriented. She looked at JC with confusion and then hazily focused in on her sister. "Ellie?  JC Chasez?  How did I get here?"

© BrandyRae 2013 

Chapter 20 by BrandyRae
Author's Notes:
Just moving to my original penname now that I have access.  Update coming soon!

Chapter 20

JC was surprised when Ellie touched his arm and responded to him before turning toward her sister.  "Don't leave," she said softly. "Take some Advil and go lay down with an ice pack. I'll come talk to you in a minute.  Please?" 

He nodded quietly and did exactly as she said. Grabbing water, Advil and the ice pack and then trotting off to her bedroom to lay down. He'd be lying if he said he didn't have an enormous headache. It really had been stupid to go along with getting in the boxing ring with Ty. To be honest, his brother was a better fighter and did carry more weight behind his punch. The sad part is they'd been sparring with all of the appropriate protective gear. It wasn't until they were winding down and getting ready to leave that JC had egged on his brother enough to get punched in the face. 

JC had never been much of a fighter and he was a strong advocate against violence. He was mad at himself for getting caught up in such immaturity.  He was even more irritated because of the way the whole thing appeared to Ellie. He was thankful that she hadn't asked him to leave.  She had so much going on, the last thing she needed was to deal with his drama. He felt bad for involving her, but he just couldn't stay away at the moment. Her comfort was what he'd yearned for the most and before he could rationalize it he'd been standing at her front door.

Of course, his situation had been so distracting he didn't even get a chance to find out what her voice message had been about. 

 

In the kitchen, Ellie poured two glasses of water and sat down at the table with her sister. The clarity in Rose's eyes was slowly coming around. Ellie figured a strong cup of coffee would probably be a good idea and got up to start a pot.  She was stalling in a way, not really sure what to say or where to start.  The urge to handle Rose like a child was hard to supress.  Ellie had to remind herself that while Rose had never truly acted as an adult, she was one.   

"So do you remember what happened last night?" Ellie finally asked, sitting down again as the coffee began to purcalate.

"Before or after I got ditched and left in the middle of nowhere?" The resentment in her voice was not hard to recognize.  Unfortunately, Rose always had the tendency to blame others for her misfortune.  She rarely took responsibility for her own actions.

"Both," Ellie replied.  

"I'd rather not get into detail," Rose responded, brushing long, stringy hair away from her face and tossing it behind her shoulders.  "What I'd love is a shower and some fresh clothes."

Ellie audibly sighed.  "And then what?"

"And then I'll get out of your way."

"Aren't you even curious what's been going on with me for the last year?" Ellie asked.  She'd never admit it but it hurt that her sister didn't seem to care.  Of course she understood that Rose didn't have the ability to look past herself thanks to her addictions, but it still hurt, regardless.

Rose just shrugged.  "You seem to be doing just fine... as always."  The bitterness Rose felt was evident.  Maybe having a conversation was pointless.  "I can't say I ever expected you to go from billionaire media mogul to an ex member of a boyband, but I can see why you would.  He's hot.  Even with the black eye."

Ellie found herself sighing again, this time her shoulders slumping with defeat.  This really wasn't the conversation she wanted to have.  The coffee pot beeped and Ellie hopped up quickly to get a cup for her sister.

She slid a mug across the counter to Rose and sat back down.  Rose in turn took a long, slow sip of the steaming beverage.  "Are you hungry?" Ellie asked.

Rose shook her head no.  "I have some calls I need to make."

"Have you checked in with your sponsor?" Ellie found herself asking.

Aggravation spread across Rose's delicate but emmaciated features. "Yes, all the time."

Ellie knew that was a flat out lie.  She was hoping she still had Bob's number saved because he was about the only person that was ever able to get through to Rose.  Of course a call to him would definitely mean another trip to rehab for Rose.  

Ellie gave one slow nod and stood from her seat.  "Everything you need for a shower is in the bathroom next to the guest room."  With that she got up and left the room.

Poking her head into the office, she checked on Daphne.  Part of her wanted to send the girl home for the day, but then again she would have to leave soon for her appointment with Stephen Blake and she wanted Daphne to keep an eye on Rose.  How terrible was that?

After a quick update on the research task Ellie had Daphne working on, she headed toward her master bedroom to find JC.  The door was closed.  Quietly she slipped inside the dark room, her eyes adjusting quickly as there was just enough sunlight peeking in through the window to highlight his silhouette.  He was flat on his back, eyes closed, ice pack covering half of his face.  For a second she wondered if he was asleep.  "You ok?" he asked, not moving anything but his mouth to speak.

Ellie made way to the bed and sat down beside him.  "Not really," she found herself answering.  "She frustrates me more than I can handle."

He slipped the blue ice pack off his face and shifted sideways until he could see her.  "I'm sorry."

"Part of me wants her to just leave because it's so much easier when I don't have to think about what a mess she is, but the other part of me wants her to stay so I can try and get her back on the right track."

"How many times have you done that?" JC asked, reaching a hand out to brush her knee.

"More than I can count on one hand."

"Maybe you should go with your first instinct... not to be a jerk or anything, but it's hard to help someone who doesn't want to be helped."

Ellie reached out a hand to gently touch his bruised cheek bone.  "Trust me, I know."  Carefully she ran her fingertips against the contours of his chiseled face.  "Does it hurt?" she asked.

"It's kind of numb right now.  I don't think it'll be too bad."

"Don't you have to tape your show this week?"

JC smirked.  "Why, yes, I do.... but that's what makeup is for."

Ellie smirked, remembering that she still hadn't told him about the settlement papers she'd received.  "I have to go see the attorney in a little bit.  I got settlement papers in the mail today from James."

JC sat up at the news.  "What?  And you waited this long to tell me? You must be so relieved."

Ellie sighed again.  "I was at first, but now I'm just hopeful that I'm interpreting everything correctly."  She found herself whispering the next part, leaning in closer to him.  "Looks like I'm getting the doubled amount just like he said when he stopped by that one day."

JC's hands were on her cheeks then, kissing her lips softly.  "That's wonderful, sweetheart," he spoke quietly.  "I'm so happy for you."

"Thanks.  I hope..." She grinned, feeling sort of shy about it all the sudden.  It was weird discussing such things with him.  It felt too personal, which was just silly considering how personal they'd become in regard to intimacy.  Affairs of the heart were different than matters of the pocketbook!

He smiled compassionately, a look of caring and love in his deep blue eyes.  It was obvious he hadn't showered after the boxing ordeal with his brother.  His hair was completely flat against the top of his head and a light aroma of sweat clung to him.  It didn't turn her off though; far from it.  He was dressed like he'd just come from the gym, black warm-ups and a black t-shirt.  Still, she wanted to curl up against him and just lay in his arms for as long as time would allow.  

"Are we ok?" he asked after their brief moment of silence.

Ellie found herself grinning sappily and nodding. "I should probably run far away after this thing you have going with your brother, but for some reason I just feel like I should trust you and not worry about it."

The sentiment he expressed in his eyes only confirmed what she felt in her heart. "There's something I want you to know," he said, reaching for her hand and grasping it tenderly.

"Ok..."  His words made her feel a little unsure.  What else could there be?

"When I'm single..." he took a breathy pause, "I have a tendency to be a very typical single guy, in case you haven't figured that out."

"I kinda have," she remarked.

"But when I'm in a relationship," he continued, his thumb brushing the top of her hand. "I take commitment very seriously.  I am loyal, honest and trustworthy."

"JC," she said softly, trying to stop him.

He kept going, his voice softening.  "I have a tendency to fall very hard and very deep.  That's why I don't let myself fall very easily."  He was looking her straight in the eye when he spoke that last sentence.  Her heart swooned in response.  "I'm not going to ruin this amazing feeling with you by doing something stupid or acting like an idiot like when I was single.  And I did act like an idiot.  Especially in regard to this whole thing with Ty.  Probably one of my most stupid mistakes ever."

Ellie was smiling giddly.  He was saying all the right words.  She wanted to jump into his arms and squeeze him as hard as she could, but somehow she refrained and instead leaned in to kiss him softly.  "It feels incredible being with you," she told him quietly. 

"I couldn't agree more, sweetheart."

 

Ellie felt like she was on pins and needles waiting for Stephen Blake in his executive conference room.  She found herself re-reading the settlement agreement over and over again.  Although she was far from an attorney, she had enough legal experience to realize there were some definite caveats in the agreement.  This was not cut and dry and the whole thing was far from over.  She should have known that was coming. 

When Mr. Blake finally entered the room, looking as dapper and professional as the last time she'd been in his presence, she was overcome with nervousness.  This was it. Whatever was in those papers affected her whole life. She took a deep breath and then exhaled loudly. 

He was instantly looking at her with reassurance. "I know this is stressful," he said, "but we are going to make sure this is fair and that you are getting everything you deserve."

Ellie was immediately thanking him. "Part of me feels really greedy for what I am asking for, but when I think of all the opportunities I sacraficied because James did not let me do anything on my own..."

"You're not being greedy," he assured her. "You deserve every penny of the fifty million, Ellie. And aside from a few minor clauses, like signing the confidentiality agreement, I don't see anything in these papers that will prolong this much further.  You will get the settlement that you deserve and rightfully so.  Go home and celebrate.  I am going to review these with a fine tooth comb."

 

JC had slept for a good hour, still fully clothed, on top of Ellie's bed, knowing full well that there were two complete strangers in the house with him.  That alone was kind of amazing and so not like him.  Ellie was either making him way too comfortable or way too secure. He wasn't sure if he should feel so "ok" with that, but for some odd reason he was more than "ok".  He was perfectly "ok"!  

With a stretch and a yawn he wondered how the appointment had gone with her attorney.  He also found his mind wondering as to whether he'd see much change in her if she did get the 50 million.  He liked Ellie just the way she was; what he constantly found himself describing as "real".  He would be highly disappointed if her divorce settlement changed that fact.  Real was not easy to find in Hell-A. 

Brushing a hand down his face, he remembered how stupid he had been with Ty earlier in the day as his fingertip brushed the left side of his face. He rolled his eyes at his own behavior and then reached for his phone to text his brother.  Are we good? Was all he sent.

Ty responded almost immediately.  I don't know.  Are you pissed?

Pissed because Ty had sucker punched him?  Hmmmm.... he probably should be.  Instead he typed back nope.

Cool.  All good then.

JC responded simply -- yep

Can we do dinner tomorrow?  Ellie too?

JC smiled.  He liked that his brother was finally going to make an effort and show his true colors.  Ty really was a good guy and an awesome brother.  JC really wanted Ellie to see that.  For sure, he answered and put his phone back on the nightstand.  He closed his eyes just before the yelling started in the room next door--something about "how could you do this to me?!" and "you left me stranded in the middle of nowhere!" 

He wasn't sure if he should get up and find out what was going on or stay put in Ellie's bed.  He knew either way, he wasn't going back to sleep.  He also knew, regardless, Ellie was not going to be happy.

© BrandyRae 2013

 

Chapter 21 by BrandyRae
Author's Notes:

Moving to my original penname now that I have access.  Update coming soon!

Chapter 21

Scratching the back of his head, JC sat up and headed toward the continued yelling spewing from the guest room next to Ellie's master bedroom.  When he popped open the door to the hall he found Daphne standing still, confusion and bewilderment stamped across her face.  It was pretty obvious that she wasn't sure if she should interrupt the girl’s rant, or not.  "I can't reach Ellie," she said quietly,with concern. 

JC shook his head, "She's probably still meeting with the attorney."  

"Should I?" Daphne loosely pointed toward the shut door where the loud one-sided conversation was coming from.

JC shook his head again, a definite no this time.  "Let's just wait it out."  He could see that she looked pretty nervous about the whole thing.  "How much longer till you are scheduled to leave?" he asked quietly.

"She asked me to stay until she returned," Daphne responded, sliding a hand into the front of her straight pocketed dark denim jeans.  Next she was looking down at her feet, which were adorned with simple nude colored flats.  JC felt bad for the girl, she was obviously uncomfortable.

Hell, he was uncomfortable too but he also felt like he should be more in charge of the situation than Ellie's one and only employee.  He wanted to tell her to go ahead and go, but thought that might be overstepping a bit.  So the two of them stood there, listening, as Rose continued to shout, clearly upset with whoever it had been that had left her stranded at the gas station where he and Ellie had picked her up the night before.

“Please just come pick me up!  I can’t stand being here!”  

JC cringed at Rose’s words.  What was so terrible about being at Ellie’s?  Was she coming down from something?  This was a terrible situation.  He had no idea what to do, and he couldn’t help but feel extremely bad over how hurt Ellie would be if she had any idea what Rose was saying.

Of course it was at that very moment that he heard the door slam from the other room.  Ellie was home.

He rushed out to the front of the house before Daphne could beat him to it.  He hoped she’d just go back to the office.  When he found her--the girl he had fallen head over heels in love with--it was clear that the appointment had gone well.  She was giddy--smiling, eyes twinkling.  All until she saw his face.  His expression must have gave everything away because her face fell blank immediately.

“What?” she was quickly asking.  “What’s wrong?”

He waited to speak until he was close enough to brush a palm down her forearm.  “It’s your sister,” he  told her softly.  “She’s been yelling for the past 10 minutes.  Apparently on the phone with whoever it was that left her last night.”

 

Ellie’s stomach was instantly tied in knots.  She had been through such a roller coaster of emotion over the last 24 hours.  Again, in thirty seconds time, she had just gone from the highest of highs to an extremely low.  This was the last news she wanted to hear... and the last thing she wanted JC to have to deal with.  She had so much drama in her life at the moment, she would understand if he wanted to run.  She’d be extremely hurt, but she’d still understand.  Of course, she could tell by the gentle expression on his face, the softness in his gray blue eyes, that he was going nowhere.  That made her heart skip a beat--another small dip on the roller coaster she seemed to be stuck on.

“You better go,” Ellie sighed.  “You shouldn’t have to deal with this.”

His touch was smoothing down her arm before she’d even finished her sentence.  Reassuringly he squeezed her fingers and clasped her hand.  “If you want me to go, I will, but I want to be here for you... If you’ll let me.”

Deeply she inhaled, and then let out a raspy breath.  Instead of replying with words, she nodded her head once, slow and long.  Then she watched as he leaned in toward her cheek, his soft lips pressing tenderly to one side of her face as his fingers traced softly against the other.  It felt as if her heart had swelled inside the cavity of her chest--like all the sudden it barely fit, thumping strong against the inside of her rib cage.  “I love you,” she whispered, not able to hold it in even if she’d wanted to.  Tears stung her eyes and she forced the burn away, blinking adamantly.  

Instead of responding he captured her lips in a hot and fiery kiss that warmed her from the inside out.  Then he mumbled against her, his lips barely separating from hers just long enough to return the loving sentiment.  

After a moment too short, she broke away from him, feeling a hundred times stronger.  “Thank you,” she whispered.  He had no idea the strength he gave her.   

She turned and headed through the house, not sure if JC was behind her or still standing in the hallway near the garage where she’d left him.  It didn’t matter, because this was something that could not wait one minute more.  

Stopping in the office first, she peeked in at Daphne.  “I’m back,” she told the girl.  “Thank you.  I’ll see you on Thursday.”

Daphne nodded, trying not to show her relief but Ellie knew she was thankful to be able to leave.  And truly it was for the best.  Ellie had no idea how the next few minutes were about to go down.  

Ellie’s conservatively dressed assistant was just grabbing her nude leather handbag when Rose’s screeching voice startled them both--one long, drawn-out expletive.  Daphne quickened her pace as Ellie tried her damndest to keep the strength she’d gained from the support of JC just moments ago.  

“Go,”  Ellie urged her, quietly.  “Don’t worry.  I’ll be fine.”

Daphne nodded silently, brushing past JC who was heading Ellie’s direction down the hall.  Thirty seconds later the front door slammed.  Daphne was safely out of the house.

Ellie gave JC one last look of confidence before bursting into the room Rose had been occupying.  “Hang up,” she demanded.  “Hang up the phone.”

Looking like a child who had just been reprimanded, Rose tossed the cell phone down on the bed immaturely.  Then she slammed her arms across her chest, standing stiffly.  “I don’t want to be here,” Rose finally said through gritted teeth.

Ellie looked past the shell of a person that was once her beautiful, caring sister, trying hard to not let her emotions get in the way.  “Fine, I will take you wherever it is you want to go, but do not call and ask me for help again, do you understand?  Because I am done.”

“I never said I wanted your help,” Rose countered.  “Your house is like a fucking prison.  I never asked to be here.”

Ellie wanted to argue.  She wanted to remind Rose of the call she’d made late last night, asking Ellie to rescue her from a gas station in the middle of nowhere.  But she didn’t.  She was done.  It was time to stop trying to help her sister.  She couldn’t do it anymore.  She just couldn’t.  Not until Rose was ready to help herself.

“Fine.  We’ll leave in 10 minutes.  Be ready.”

Without another word she turned and left, shutting the door behind her.

She wanted to break down, to collapse and let all of the emotion she was feeling consume her, but she didn’t.  She held her facade of strength, as she turned to meet JC’s strong gaze.  

“I’m going,” he said.  “Don’t you dare ask me not to.”

Ellie didn’t argue.  She couldn’t.

 

The next 45 minutes was one of the uneasiest periods of time JC had ever experienced.  He was thankful that Ellie had not argued when he’d taken her car keys to drive.  They’d spent the following 20 minutes trying to get directions from Rose, who was irrational and hardly coherent.  JC couldn’t help but wonder if she’d had something on her and taken it before they left.  She’d went from being irate at the house, to being obviously high on something after they’d got into the car.

JC’s heart was breaking for Ellie.  He couldn’t imagine his brother or sister being in such a state.  He just wanted to hold her and comfort her and tell her how much he was there for her, but at the moment he was instead doing his best to support her by being quiet and doing whatever he could to help get the situation over with as quickly as possible.

Once he finally got a solid address to punch into the GPS he felt slightly more at ease.  The area was actually very upscale.  Of course that didn’t mean the company was good. It took them 25 minutes to get there with traffic.  Rose was silent in the backseat.  He was thankful for that, because it was almost unbearable to listen to her slurred speech.

When they pulled up to a large estate with full security, JC wondered if they were in the right place.  “Just stop here,” Rose instructed, before they were able to start up the drive.  

JC did as instructed.  Ellie didn’t even say anything as Rose hopped out of the backseat.  “Thanks,” the girl managed as she stumbled out of the car.  JC couldn’t bare to watch her as she walked up to the security guard.  Ellie, on the other hand, didn’t turn away until the last moment.  

“She’s in,” Ellie sighed.  “Go.  Please, before I lose it.”

JC didn’t say a word.  He just drove.  He had no idea what to say as he headed back toward the freeway.  Using the control on the steering wheel he turned the radio on softly--his favorite jazz station on satellite radio.  It was music that soothed him.  He hoped it had the same affect on Ellie, as he found himself humming along softly.

 

The melodic tone of JC’s soft hum was the only thing keeping Ellie together at that moment.  She wanted to tell him how much he meant to her, how she had never received this type of emotional support from her ex-husband, or any man for that matter, but instead she stared blankly out the window, a million thoughts running through her mind.  Every time she ended an episode with Rose she couldn’t help but wonder if she’d ever see her again.  Maybe she’d been harsh to just drop her and not even say goodbye.  She would probably regret that for a long time, but it was just too difficult interacting with Rose when she was in such a state, clearly under the influence of whatever her drug of choice was at the time.  It was upsetting and disheartening, but eventually the sadness would turn to anger and that was much easier to deal with.

She needed to call her mom, but that would have to wait.  She didn’t have the energy for that either.

They were close to their exit on the freeway when Ellie finally let her gaze settle on JC’s handsome features.  His jaw was stubbled and he wore a plain black hat on his head, matching the black t-shirt and black warm-up pants he’d had on for the majority of the day.  He was casual, cute and still completely sexy, and possibly the most amazing man she’d ever met.  She was more thankful for him than she could express.  Right now, he was her rock.  It was clear that he only had her best interests at heart and that he would do anything he could to support her both emotionally and physically.  She’d never experienced that before, and over everything else she was feeling, that part felt amazing.

“I don’t want to go home,” she finally spoke, knowing that she conveyed exhaustion in her eyes whether she wanted to or not.

“Ok.  Do you know where you want to go?”  He looked over at her briefly while driving, sending more comfort and strength than he realized.

“Can we just go to your house?” She didn’t want to be reminded of all that happened at her home over the past 24 hours, but she didn’t want to be around a ton of people either.  She just wanted to forget and relax.

“Absolutely.”  Less than 10 minutes later JC pulled Ellie’s car into his driveway.  “I’ll move it later,” he said to her.  “Let’s get you inside.”

She nodded silently and popped open her door to step out.  JC was immediately at her side, wrapping an arm over her shoulders and tenderly pressing a kiss to the side of her head.  Quietly they walked up to the front door, side by side, his warmth both secure and comforting.  She found herself squeezing into his side as he unlocked the door.  She needed to feel his arms around her.  There was nothing more she wanted at that moment than to feel his strength against her.

They stepped into the house--empty and quiet--and she let him close and lock the door before snaking both arms around him.  “Hold me,” she whispered, her voice more shaky than she wanted it to be.  “Please.”  

He didn’t hesitate, his strong arms circling around her and his face nuzzling into the side of her neck.  A low hum sounded from his voice, and she felt his chest rumble against her.  She melted against him automatically, closing her eyes and taking deep breaths, trying to concentrate on nothing but him and the amazing way he felt against her.

Lovingly his hand stroked down the back of her head.  “I wish there was something I could say to make it all go away.” There was so much love and tenderness in his words.  It made her feel so much, she was overcome with emotion.  He had no idea how much his words meant to her.  Not just his words, but his actions.

Tears brimmed her eyes and she realized that he had yet to see her cry, but she couldn’t hold back and she didn’t want to.  Her emotions were real and she wanted him to know every real part of her.  Burying her face into his shoulder, she sniffled, taking in a whiff of his manly scent--fabric softener, old cologne and sweat.  “You have no idea how much I appreciate just the fact that you’re here.”  The tears were streaming now.  There was no going back.  The floodgates had opened.

Gently he pulled her head from his shirt and braced his palms at her jawline.  With his thumbs he tenderly wiped her tears away.  She blinked and more fell.  He did it again, looking at her with such tenderness and caring in his soft blue eyes.  “I’m here for you,” he told her softly.  “I want to be here for you as long as you’ll let me be here.”

She mouthed a silent thank you before reaching up to meet his lips.  She felt so much in his kiss, more than she’d ever felt from any other man.  Her eyes closed, tears stringing down her cheeks, but his mouth didn’t stop for a second, not even when the salt of her tears intertwined with the touch of their lips.  Her arms sliding around his waist, her touch slipping up the back of his shirt, she realized there was only one thing that was going to make her feel better at the moment.  Urging him to remove the top of half of his clothing, she knew he’d get the hint.

And he did, practically tearing his black tee over his head and tossing it carelessly to the floor.  His mouth left her for only a few seconds of necessity, coming back and taking her even more aggressively than the kiss they’d shared tenderly only seconds before.  He guided her backwards.  She felt slightly disoriented, but she trusted him completely to see them through the maze of hallways toward his bedroom.

Clothes flew once inside the safety and serenity of the masculine space. When JC laid her down on top of his firm bed, Ellie could hardly wait to have him.  All she wanted was to feel him, his strong body, his soothing hands, and his amazing ability to take her over the top again and again and again.

They were engaged in a steamy, passionate kiss as he finally slid into her, unsheathed and incredibly hard, she couldn’t help but cry out with pleasure.  He stilled, not moving any part of his body except for his hands, which stroked down the sides of her face lovingly.  They were completely connected--body, heart and mind.  A fact that was reiterated as he leaned in and placed sweet kisses at the top of her cheeks.  She closed her eyes and his lips softly touched down on her eyelids.  She felt herself smiling.  He was so amazing.  How did she get so lucky?

Slowly he moved inside her, one slow and sensuous movement.  Desire swelled inside of her as he stopped and returned his mouth to hers, engaging in another passionate kiss, his tongue sweeping inside, dancing with her own as he kissed her hard and deep.  Instinctively she pushed her hips into him, her eyes rolling back into her head from the sensations it caused.  “You make me feel sooo good,” she groaned against his mouth as she managed to push out her words. He didn’t say anything, instead he pulled his hips back slowly, returning just as achingly slow as her walls clenched around him.  Her arms clasped onto his back, her fingers pressed into his warm skin as she couldn’t help but curse before breathing his name.  

A pleased “mmmmm...” escaped him.  She was searching out his lips again, kissing away his smile of satisfaction.

“You feel amazing,” he finally whispered.  “I love being inside of you.”  And with that the torture ended as he initiated a steady rhythm, in and out, alternating intimate stares and passionate kisses.  Her legs tangled with his, she was always amazed at how perfect he fit and how quickly he caused her desire to climb.  She didn’t hide one ounce of the emotion she was feeling--groaning, grasping and panting as his thrusts grew more forceful and needing.

Watching his face, she could see that he was getting close as desire clouded his eyes.  Meeting her stare, he grinned, pleasure across his handsome face.  Her hands smoothed across his sturdy shoulders and down his sculpted chest, just as he groaned loudly before biting his lip.  He smiled again as his eyes returned to her face and he leaned down to brush his lips to hers, groaning again, against her mouth.

The waves were crashing in, the spring so tight she could hardly hold it together for one second longer.  Her hand clasped the back of his neck, as she kissed him so hard that her lips hurt.  He was groaning again, the sound rumbling from deep in his chest, and she knew he was starting to come.  That was all it took for her, a rush of sensation flooding her from head to toe as she tilted her head back and cried out with a rush of emotion as JC thrust into her completely, hard and strong and deep, grunts and moans pouring from his sexy voice.  

Ellie panted and groaned and practically screamed it felt so good and she’d needed it so much.  Tears fell down her cheeks but she barely felt it.  She was too caught up in the overwhelming sensation he made her feel.  He just continued to thrust and push, each movement meeting her desire to the fullest, as he filled her with everything he had, their bodies connected in a mix of pulses and sensuous throbs.  Experiencing him climax was almost as good as her own amazing experience.  She loved how incredible it made her feel knowing that she could make him feel so good.  It just intensified her own overwhelming orgasm, as she writhed and rocked against him, the quake in her body slowly calming but in the most fulfilling way ever.

When he finally collapsed on top of her, she was so consumed with emotion that she was full on crying again.  But she didn’t care.  She wasn’t ashamed or embarrassed.  She was allowing herself to feel more than she ever had.  It was like a weight had been lifted off her shoulders, like she had found emotional freedom.  Like it was finally ok to let go.  It was indescribable.  

“Did I hurt you?” he finally asked with concern, softly brushing her tears away.  “I know I got a little carried away.”

She shook her head no, grinning at the thought of him thinking he’d been carried away.  She was the one that had been carried away.  “You make me feel, JC.”  The emotion she was feeling was evident in the shakiness of her voice.  “You make me feel so much... I can’t hold it in.  I just can’t.”

Tenderly he touched his lips to hers.  “I don’t want you to hold it in, sweetheart.  Ever.”

She was smiling and sniffling at the same time.  His weight still pressed into her, he leaned in and pressed another tender and loving kiss to her lips, but Ellie felt like she was a few seconds away from snot dripping out of her nose, and it was beginning to ruin the moment.

He lifted and she found herself giggling for no explainable reason.

“What?” he grinned, bewildered.

“Ten more seconds and you’re going to be kissing snot off my face.”

With a goofy grin, he licked her top lip.  “Nope,” he said,  “all good.”

She shook her head, surprised at his actions.  He was constantly surprising her.  Most men would have kicked her out of the bed for crying, let alone threatening to spread snot on them.  

Slowly he removed himself from her, rolling carefully to her side.  Immediately Ellie hopped up and rushed to the bathroom.  She didn’t dare look at herself in the mirror, even though it was nearly impossible.  Such a man’s bathroom to have mirrors everywhere.  Women are much more strategic in mirror placement!

  

JC rolled flat on his back and stared up at the ceiling.  What a crazy, whirlwind of a day.  Through it all, Ellie still managed to rock his world.  Did she have any idea how much she affected him sexually?  Just thinking about how good she felt and he was practically at attention all over again.  It should be illegal for a woman to feel so incredibly good.  

He was pulled out of his train of thought when he heard her voice only seconds later.  “Did you have all those mirrors installed or was the house like that when you bought it?” she was grinning as she stepped back into the room, still completely nude of course, the remnants of her tears barely showing.  She slid onto the mattress beside him, on her stomach, smoothing her hands across his stomach and resting her chin into his chest.

“Do you not like the mirrors?” he asked instead.

She cocked one eyebrow and the left side of her lip scrunched upward.  Instinctively he brushed a thick strand of her auburn hair away from her face.  He tried to tuck it behind her ear but it fell right back into place next to her cheek.  “It’s not that I don’t like them, exactly, it just makes it impossible not to look at yourself when you’re in there... sometimes in vulnerable positions.”

JC chuckled.  He thoroughly enjoyed this side of Ellie.  Smiling, he tried getting that hair out of her face one more time.  It was no use.  “I love looking at you inall positions,” he told her, coming across way more cheesy than he would have liked.

One of her hands was smoothing up and down the side of his abdomen as she held her weight on the opposite elbow, propped up right next to his side.  Still grinning, she pressed a kiss into the center of his chest.  “Thank you,” she said next.  “You’re amazing.”

“Well...” he remarked, “I wouldn’t say all that, but thank you for the compliment.”

“I’m serious, JC.  No one has ever made me feel this way.  NO one.  I’m so thankful that I found you.  You have no idea how thankful I am.”  Her expression had turned serious as she looked at him with eyes swirling with emotion.  It reminded him of what a fragile state she was in and suddenly all he wanted to do was hold her and comfort her.

Lovingly he leaned in and kissed her forehead.  “I’m thankful too,” he whispered, “more than you know.”  He brushed her hair back again once more.  “Why don’t you get into bed, turn on the TV, and relax.  I’m going to take a quick shower and take care of you for the rest of the night, ok?”

Simply she nodded, clearly appreciative.  “Oh... my car.”

He hadn't forgot it was in his driveway.  “I’ll take care of it as soon as I get out of the shower, k?  Don’t worry.”  He kissed her head again and sat up.  “I love you,” he told her softly.  

“I love you too.”

 

© BrandyRae 2013

Chapter 22 by BrandyRae
Author's Notes:
Moved to original penname now that I have access.  Update coming soon!

Chapter 22

When JC got out of the shower, he found Ellie curled up in his bed, sound asleep.  He had to admit it did funny things to his heart to see her so peaceful and in his very private space.  Dark gray towel tucked around his waist, he moved toward the bed and leaned down to kiss her temple softly.  She didn’t stir, not an inch.

It was early, barely 6:30 in the evening, but she had every right to be asleep.  She was emotionally exhausted and rightfully so.  She needed to rest.  He had no plans to wake her.  In fact, he had just a few things to do around the house since he hadn't done much all day.  After that, he'd join her.


Ellie woke to darkness.  She was naked, in JC's amazingly comfortable bed, but he wasn't in it with her.  With a full stretch and yawn, she rolled to face the tall glass doors and windows that looked out onto the Hollywood hillside.  It was a breathtaking view at night. JC was right.  It was a much better view on his side of the street.  She grinned at the thought of their first meal together.  It seemed like ages ago even though it had barely been a month.  So much had happened since then.  So much.... like falling in love, incredibly and ridiculously in love.  
Other things had happened too, but for the moment she chose just to think about the love part.

She caught herself smiling again.  Even though she could have easily went back to sleep, she suddenly felt this terribly strong desire to see him.  So instead she sat up and switched on the lamp beside the bed.  Another grin eased across her lips as she noticed clean pajamas sitting on a chair across the room.  They were his clean pajamas, but they seemed to be put there just for her.

After slipping into the gray and white striped cotton pajama pants and white v-neck t-shirt, Ellie headed into the bathroom to freshen up just a bit before heading out of the room to find JC.  When she found him a few minutes later it was in a place she had never found him before--at the piano, in the sitting room off the family room.  It was the room with the second best view of the hillside, second best after his bedroom.  She found herself staring at him for a moment before letting herself be known.  He wasn't playing the shiny baby grand piano, at least not at that moment.  Instead, he was just sitting on the bench, hunched over a piece of paper.  The top of his head was pointing at her, his eyes down, as he leaned into one of his palms, elbow resting on the pristine dark surface.  Behind him it was clear night, the lights of high-dollar homes lit up the hillside.

Not wanting to startel him, Ellie cleared her throat loudly and waited for him to look up.  It only took a second for his striking blue-eyed stare to catch her, and when it did it made her heart skip a beat.  His stoic expression turned instantly into a smile.  "Hi," he said rather goofily.  

"Hi."

"Did you wanna come sit down?"

When he patted the bench beside him, she knew she couldn't resist, and fluidly moved to scoot in beside him, stopping as her knee knocked against his knee.  He was looking incredibly sexy wearing a pair of very warn denim jeans and a plain white cotton v-neck undershirt.  His hair was mussed and he smelled of that wonderful scent she'd grown to love--cleanliness and spice.  She found herself secretly taking in a big whiff of him.

Instantly he was wrapping one arm around her back, then leaning in to kiss the side of her face.  The tenderness made her swoon ten times over.  "I was planning to come back to bed with you, but after I put your car in your garage Ty came home for a bit and we were talking.  Then he left and I just had the urge to do some work.  So here I am..."
"Is that what this is?" she asked softly.  "Work?"  She glanced at the partially blank music sheets he had been penciling on.

With a boyish grin, he nodded.  "It's work, but it's also my passion.  You just never know when inspiration will hit."

Her hand fell to his strong thigh, but she couldn't take her eyes off his handsome face.  Her heart was swelling inside of her chest.  It felt amazing.  "Did inspiration hit tonight?"

He was smiling goofy again.  She loved that look on him.  It was so open and honest and real.  She knew in that very moment that this was 100 percent the "real" JC in his truest form.  She had never felt more drawn to him then she did in that very moment.  "Maybe..." he tipped his chin down a bit and grabbed onto one of her hands, his eyes dropping with the movement, almost as if he was being shy about it.  JC, shy?  That had never happened!

"Will you play something for me?" she asked him, hoping to convey a look of pleading because she really wanted to hear him play.
His grin turned wide and confident.  "Of course!" he sounded, and shifted his body straight toward the keys.  "But not the inspiration..." he added quietly with a quick sideways glance.

She couldn't help but think she had something to do with "the inspiration".  Another thing to make her heart swell and her body swoon.

Amazed, she watched in awe as his fingers danced and glided across the keys.  It was something uptempo and classical, something quite complicated to play if you asked her, although she had no idea really.  Regardless, she was completely smitten by his ability to play so effortlessly.  When he stopped, she couldn't help but tell him how good he was.

"It's what I do," he responded with a grin.

"I've never dated anyone musical before," she confessed.  "I'm feeling quite smitten at the moment."

JC's smile seemed to triple in size at that, showing in his eyes even. "Well, in that case, let me play another one."

Not a second later his graceful hands were moving seamlessly across the black and white keys.  She recognized the song instantly.  It wasn't his song, but it was very famous.  When he began singing along she thought she'd died and gone to Heaven...

Ocean's apart

day after dayAnd I slowly go insane

I hear your voice on the lineBut it doesn't stop the pain

If I see you next to neverHow can we say forever

Wherever you go

Whatever you do

I will be right here waiting for you

Whatever it takes

Or how my heart breaks

I will be right here waiting for you

I took for granted, all the times

That I thought would last somehow

hear the laughter, I taste the tears

But I can't get near you now

Oh, can't you see it baby

You've got me going crazy

Wherever you go

Whatever you do

I will be right here waiting for you

Whatever it takes

Or how my heart breaksI will be right here waiting for you

I wonder how we can survive

This romance

But in the end if I'm with you

I'll take the chance

Oh, can't you see it baby

You've got me going crazy

Wherever you go

Whatever you do

I will be right here waiting for you

Whatever it takes

Or how my heart breaks

I will be right here waiting for you

The second he stopped she found herself near attacking him, swinging a leg over him and making way onto his lap, kissing him forcefully, with a mix of fire, passion and a little bit of desperation.  Her desire for him had spiked to an unprecedented level.  She could hardly stand it! 

Of course JC was not fighting the action in any way, shape or form.  In fact, he was grinning quite obviously against her kiss, his hands smoothed around her back, resting at the top of her backside.  
"I'd be lying if I said that I didn't expect to get this type of reaction out of you," he finally chuckled as she let him have a second to breathe.

Ellie's eyes rolled automatically.  She should have smacked him, but instead she was moving in for another steamy kiss. Damn him for being so desirable... and for knowing it!  

JC's hands smoothed down to the back of her thighs where he squeezed accordingly.  She found herself grinding into him even more.  It was hard to miss the fact that he was now hard as a rock and his erection was obviously straining underneath his jeans.  Ellie wanted him so bad she could hardly stand it.  Her kiss didn't hold anything back as she felt like she could practically swallow him right up at the moment.  

One of his hands left her and she broke contact with him just long enough to look at what he was doing--unbuttoning his fly and repositioning his aroused state.  Their eyes met and he pressed a needy and forceful kiss to her lips.  Then he was reaching behind her, fiddling with the large, expensive instrument--closing the lid on the keys she realized after a moment.  Grabbing her waist, he hoisted her up off his lap and pushed the bench backwards a bit so he could stand.  "As sexy as you are in my pajamas," he spoke gruffly, "I think you very much need to come out of them."  And then he tore the t-shirt over her head, leaving her breasts completely exposed.

"Ty's not coming back, is he?" she asked.  That was the last thing she needed.

JC shook his head no assertively.  "Not until tomorrow."

She found herself smiling, wondering what he had in store for her next.  Eagerly she reached for his shirt, wanting him just as naked as she was.  That was only fair, she figured.  Naturally, he obliged and tossed his plain white T to the floor.  He moved in close to her face and whispered, "Lean back" before pressing one soft, quick kiss to her lips. Then his hands were at her waist, his fingers toying with the too-big waistband of his PJs that she wore.  

As soon as she let her back rest into the cool, hard surface he slid them right off of her.  He gave her no warning before spreading her legs and delicately smoothing the tip of his tongue up her highly sensitive and needing center.  She cried out instantly, sensuous pulses shooting across her flesh in response to his skillful touch.  He did it again, dipping his tongue inside of her before smoothing his moist touch up and over her throbbing clitoris.  This time she found herself cursing in response, her body nearly convulsing at the sensation.

"Do that again," she begged gruffly, her voice low with desire.  He did, her body immediately reacting, pleasure flooding her, filling her every need. With little control she managed to shout and curse, breathlessly and simultaneously.  No one had ever done to her what he did.  No one.
When he didn't return she looked up just in time to catch his eyes.  "I was just taking a second to admire the view," he told her.  "You're so gorgeous."

She grinned, chest heaving, watching as his head disappeared again between her thighs.  She shivered at the feel of his warm breath, wishing she had something to grab onto once his tongue danced across her overly heightened arousal once more.  There was no stopping this time.  He lavished her with his amazing and sensuous mouth until she felt like she was going to explode, but before she did, he slid one strong finger deep inside her, searching gently until he touched her in a way that made her scream out loud.  She was too caught up to realize he'd found her g-spot, but when he smoothed his soft tongue across her clit and pressed inside of her just right, the waves crashed--and they crashed hard.  She shouted and panted and came harder than she'd ever came before.  Instead of pulling his touch away, he rode the wave with her, pressing into her throbbing center and holding it while repeated spasms of pleasure jolted through her again and again.  

When her body finally calmed, he gently pulled away. Slowly, she rose to look at him, almost dizzy and most definitely light-headed. She had no words to speak.  She was completely enamored by him.  He motioned for her to come to him and she realized that his jeans were gone and he was nude from head to toe.  With lust-filled eyes she gazed down upon his hardened member, just for a moment, before he guided her back to his lap, where he sat on the leather bench.

Her body was ultra sensitive, still in a state of readiness, and as she eased herself down onto his slickness, she found her eyes nearly rolling back into her head it felt so damn good. He braced his hands at her hips and whispered for her to "be easy."  She wanted to ride him like a cowgirl on a broncing buck, but she refrained.

She felt him swallow as he met her lips in a wet and passionate kiss. The strength of his arms cradled behind her back, one hand reaching up to her neck, tangling in her hair as she delicately rocked against him, tiny jolts of electricity shooting up through her belly each time.  "You make me feel so good," she whispered breathlessly, meshing her lips with his again and again.

He hummed against her.  "I love you, Ellie.  I love you and I love making love to you."

His words nearly sent her over the edge.  She closed her eyes briefly, taking in every sensation, every emotion that overwhelmed her.  "Lay me down, JC," she whispered. "As good as this feels, I want to feel the way you move inside me.  I need more."

JC didn't hesitate.  Carefully he swooped her up and laid her down on the ridiculously expensive large white area rug that spanned around the piano.  It was plush and soft and he couldn't wait to fuck her on it.
He took her over the edge, again, enjoying the sweet sound of her cries, the way she breathed his name and clasped at his back and his shoulders.  His climax was big and strong and earthmoving, and he let it be known to her every second of the way.  He loved being with Ellie. He was head over heels for this woman. And if there was one thing he planned on doing it was pleasing her to every extent possible. This was barely the beginning.

After several breathless moments, he kissed her tenderly on the cheek and spoke softly. "Do you think you can reach my shirt with your toes?"
The look she gave him was completely girlish and cute.  "Afraid we might make a mess?"

He was.  "A little bit."

She chuckled as he felt her moving her leg underneath him, carefully she curled her knee and brought her foot up high enough so she could reach the shirt she'd managed to grab with her foot.  With a grin, she handed it to him.  Then he removed himself carefully, using the shirt as a catchall.

Ellie rolled up quickly and scurried off into the bathroom.  After slipping back into his jeans, JC picked up and took his laundry to the laundry room. The housekeeper came tomorrow morning.  He didn't like leaving obvious clues in regard to his sexual activities, committed relationship or not.  Besides, Ellie was probably beginning to figure out, he was a bit of a neat freak.  He liked things a certain way.

He realized that Ellie was probably hungry and headed into the kitchen to find them something to eat.  The choices were probably limited, but, again, he wanted to satisfy her in every way possible.  After all she'd been though, he had this incredibly strong urge to take care of her.

When she found him just a few moments later, he was standing in front of the open Sub-Zero fridge, pondering what his possibilities were.  Her greeting warmed him from the inside out as she stepped behind him and wrapped both arms around his bare torso.  "You must be hungry."

"I am actually starving," she replied.  "I don't think I ate lunch even, let alone dinner."  He almost jumped at the feel of her teeth pressing into the top of his shoulder, mock bitingly.  It sent a pulse straight to his groin.  He was convinced that she still had no idea the affect she had on him.

With a tortured chuckle, he shut the fridge, turned, and pulled her into his arms, embracing her close.  "God, you feel good.  How do you feel so good?"

She was giggling.  He loved her giggle.  "How do you feel so good?" she asked in response.

"I'm a guy.  I highly doubt I feel anywhere near as good as you do."

The look she gave him was full of flirtation, her eyelashes batting without her even realizing it probably.  "Oh... I beg to differ," she remarked.

An easy smile spreading over his lips, he leaned in and pressed a kiss to her cheek, purposely making a loud smacking noise against her.  He was in trouble with this girl... so much trouble.  He was falling so fast and so hard, he wasn't sure he'd be able to come out of this if it went bad.  But he was in way too deep to care.  He was intoxicated by her, and he loved the feeling of it.

"So you were going to feed me?" she asked after a second.

His eyes rounded momentarily as a stream of dirty thoughts ran through his mind.

"Food..." she continued.

"Yes, food," he smirked goofily. 

"Can we have dinner in bed?"

Again, his thoughts went straight to the gutter even though he knew that's not what she was implying.  Not this time.  "Absolutely," he replied.

"I like that," she grinned, confident and pleased.  "I'll let you figure it out then and bring it to me."

Brushing her hair back away from her face, he tenderly kissed her forehead and said "ok."  Then watched her strut out of the room in his pajamas.  His heart was pounding. He couldn't wait to get back to her and she'd just barely left the room.  He realized how bad that was, but he was too caught up to think twice about it.  

 

(c) BrandyRae 2013

Lyrics: "Right Here Waiting" by Richard Marx

Chapter 23 by BrandyRae

Chapter 23


Tyler Chasez sat at a small back table in L.A.'s trendy Nobu restaurant waiting for JC and Ellie, the woman who could now formally be deemed as his brother's girlfriend.  He'd spent a little time with them over the course of the past forty-eight hours.  The more he realized how serious things had become, the worse he'd felt for giving them both such a hard time when he'd first come back into town.  Clearly, his brother had made some changes in his life.  It was time to acknowledge and accept those changes.  Single guy JC was fun for little while, but he did have a tendency to get a little out of control—like last time.  That whole situation had caught Ty totally off guard, but he finally was getting over it.  


It was almost like his brother had become someone else for a while when all that happened.  He was glad that JC was back to his normal self.  He guessed he should thank Ellie for that.  She probably had no idea the positive affect she'd somehow had on JC.


He was sipping his sparkling water when they came into view.  JC was smiling proudly, Ellie one step behind him, loosely clutching JC's right hand with her left.  She was smiling too, looking like she'd just barely pulled herself together after a fit of giggles.  They both had that obvious twinkle in their eyes... love.  It was so obvious they were in love, even in the dimly lit restaurant he could see it.


Ty found himself just a bit jealous.  He'd been so busy with college and internships, he really hadn't found time to fall in love.  He realized that Ellie knew nothing about him.  She had no idea what he did, or what he was working so hard to become.  It was probably time to tell her.


JC pulled out her chair for her, the one between the two of them.  It was a square table for 4, fairly intimate, close enough that he could smell Ellie's perfume—clean and sweet.  Ty understood his brother's attraction to her.  Ellie was more than just a pretty girl, she came across as very put together but in a real and natural sense.  She seemed to be very true to herself, which could be unusual to find period—let alone in Los Angeles.  Ellie felt like someone they would have known back home.  Ty liked that about her, and now that things were more comfortable he felt he could let down his guard and be OK with that feeling sinking in.  


"I'm starving," she spoke as she situated herself in her chair.  She was dressed conservatively in a dark blue fitted blazer, nude loose-fitting blouse and dark jeans.  Tyler was far from a woman's connoisseur of fashion or shoes, but he'd recognized the high-dollar nude heels on her feet when she walked in too—only because he couldn't help but think of how different she looked all dolled-up compared to when he'd seen her the day before wearing JC's oversized pajamas.


Finally focusing on his brother, Ty noticed the goofy grin on JC's face... almost like the words "I'm starving" had some hidden meaning.  With the way those two had been going at it, they probably did.  He heard things coming out of JC’s bedroom the day before that he’d like to just erase from his memory.  He was sure they’d had no idea he’d even been by the house.  It was best to keep it that way.


Without further hesitation, he turned to them both and put forth the manners that his parents had raised him with—something he should have done the first night he and Ellie had met.  “Thanks for coming, guys.  JC, I’m glad we can get back to being brothers again.”


“Me too,” JC responded simply before taking a sip of his water.


“Ellie, I realize you probably think I’m a big freak.”  He caught JC’s curious expression just briefly before turning back to her.  "Let's just say I haven't been acting like myself these past couple of weeks."



Ellie smirked.   She found him being completely sincere for the first time.   “I don’t think that.  I have siblings too.  I understand how things get sometimes.”


He grinned appreciatively and then looked at JC.  “I’m buying tonight, bro.  No arguments.”


JC shrugged, not saying a word.  Then the 3 of them turned to their menus and began discussing their meal.


It didn’t take long for things to settle into a normal rhythm of discussion, and after three-quarters of a bottle of wine between the them, Tyler was easily dishing out stories of JC as a kid—how he’d been so into dancing that he’d practiced hours on end in his bedroom.  The desire to giggle was hard to surpress.  Thoughts of a young JC—determined and strong-willed—did funny things to her heart.  The overwhelming desire to learn everything about him was something she had to control, because as smitten as she was feeling, she didn't want to appear overly so.


She still had to keep her cool as best as possible.


An hour later they had finished eating and Ellie was more than ready to get JC home and have her way with him.  She was tired of holding back because they were in public.  The desire to touch every part of him was indescribable—the word ache wasn't strong enough; magnetic didn't describe it either. That electrifying pull she felt in her limbs, the yearning to just be closer to him...it was a force to be reckoned with and she was tired of fighting it.


Ellie grabbed her purse from the back of her chair and automatically checked her phone.  She had several text messages, much more than usual.  An instant knot formed in the pit of her stomach and it had nothing to do with the amazing sushi they'd just ate.  Especially once she realized the majority of them were from an unknown number.


"What?" JC asked softly.  He must have noticed the look of peculiarity on her face.


With a casual shake of the head, she averted answering him.  Instead he got the cue that it was time to go and initiated their goodbyes.  Once safely in the car, Ellie pulled out her phone again.  "What is it?" JC asked again as he was safely maneurving his black Mercedes onto the street.  


"Someone blew up my phone and I don't know who it is."  She was scrolling through the messages as she spoke.  They were all alarming and strange...


I know who you are. Was the first one she read.  "What the?" she remarked out loud.  You have information I need.  Please contact me.  This is important.  


There were several more all along the same lines.  Ellie felt extremely confused.  This had to be a wrong number.  The last thing she needed was more drama in her life.  This had to be a mistake.


Tossing her phone back into her purse, she gazed at JC next to her.  "You can read them when we get home."


He looked at her with confusion laced in his handsome expression.  Ellie tried to push the thought of the random texts from her mind and instead focused on the desire to touch him.   There was no need to hold back any longer.  Instantly she grinned and smoothed a hand to his thigh, reveling in the strength of him beneath her touch.  




Later that night, as Ellie curled up against JC, content and satisfied in his big comfortable bed, the thought of the messages returned and she realized she had never let him read them.  Stretching out of his hold, she reached for a shirt from the floor—his—and pulled it over her head.  It was a bit chilly in the house, especially when leaving his warmth that had been beside her.  She went to her purse and pulled out her Blackberry.  


"My number is private.  These have to be a wrong number."  She handed JC her phone and climbed back into bed beside him.


Quickly he scrolled through them, speed reading.  "Let's find out," he remarked and then reached into a cabinet in his nightstand.  She couldn't help but eyeball the muscle definition in his back as he stretched and then returned with his MacBook Pro.  Sitting on his lap, he powered it on and waited for a few seconds while it started up.  "We can do a reverse search," he said.  "It's a 415 area code.  I believe that's San Francisco."


"Yes.  I lived there before I moved to LA," Ellie remarked.


"I remember you saying that," JC continued as he brought up the search engine.  He stilled then except for his head, which he turned to give her a sly grin.  "You look extremely hot in my t-shirt, by the way."


She felt her smile spread up to her cheeks.  "You look extremely hot NOT in your t-shirt," she countered, feeling extremely proud for coming up with that one on the spot.


A gruff chuckle escaped his voice in response.  It was one of the sounds that made Ellie want to slam the laptop shut and pounce on him.  Unfortunately she was far too curious about those messages at the moment.


JC must have been too because he immediately refocused.  "So how long have you had this phone number?"


"Not very long.  Since James and I first separated."


JC exhaled a long deep breath, his shoulders straightening, and then slumping forward as he typed something into the browser.  Even in such an unflattering position, the man had a body to die for.  "OK," he said a moment later.  "Here we go.  That phone number last belonged to someone named John Mackey.  Does that ring a bell?"


It did.  But first she wanted to know how he'd done that so quickly.  "How did you do that?"


"I told you, I did a reverse search.  I know a little bit about stuff, ok?"


Ellie felt her brow furrough in confusion. "I do know him.  Not well, but I know him.  He is an ex-associate of my ex-husbands."


"Ahhh.... so this comes down to your confidentiality agreement then."


"Yes, meaning I cannot speak with this man.  Tomorrow I will change my number."


"Good idea."  JC slapped his computer shut and returned it to the cabinet in the nightstand.


For some reason, Ellie couldn't just drop it though.  "Don't you typically have to pay for a reverse search? I did not see you pull out a credit card."


The look on JC's face told her that he didn't want to explain, but his mouth opened anyway.  "I may or may not have a subscription."


Ellie's brow furroughed again.  "Why?"


"I'd rather not say."


Now her brow was really furroughed.  "Why would you have a subscription to a people search engine?"


"Let's just say I needed it at some point and never canceled."


"Does this have to do with your promiscuous past?" Ellie found herself asking.  It made sense to her.  From the implications he'd given about his time as a bachelor, it's possible he'd needed to find things out about some of the random women he'd encountered.


"No." He shook his head, clearly aggravated with the question.  Then he grumbled something that she couldn't understand.  


"Sorry, but you're being so mysterious about the whole thing.  Why else would you not want to say?"


His expression suddenly turned serious as he reached out to clasp her hand, still sitting up next to her.  Ellie suddenly felt the need to scoot closer.  "It was family stuff... and kind of depressing.  Not something I really want to talk about at the moment.  Not that I have anything to hide and not because I don't want you to know everything about me.  We can talk about it another time."


Ellie found herself reaching out to touch his face, she smoothed her palm down his cheek, her fingers slipping into his messy dark hair.  "Oh.  I'm sorry," she told him softly.


Sweetly he reached in and pressed a moist kiss to her lips.  "It's ok," he whispered.  "And I don't blame you for thinking the other.  I know I deserved that."




That night Ellie dreamt of mystery and drama—a secret rendesvous with someone who had insider information on not her ex-husband but her hot, sexy, current  boyfriend.  It started as a faceless woman that suddenly morphed into Jill.  Ellie woke up startled, realizing that dream was partly reality.  Would she ever be able to shake the idea of knowing the man she'd fallen completely in love with had slept with her best friend?  


Shaking the thoughts away, she managed to fall back into slumber.  Unfortunately the dream continued, only this time Ellie was a third party watching her best friend have a romantic dinner with her boyfriend.  They were lovely and touchy, like two people in love.  


Again, she woke with a jump.  This time her actions stirred JC.


With a very deep, distinct groan he rolled toward her and smoothed a hand to her stomach. The t-shirt had come and gone, her skin bare underneath the bedding.  He found her flesh easily and knew just how to touch her, his body fitting comfortably into her side. The hand that had started on top of her stomach smoothed fluidly up to her left breast, where he cupped her gently.


She realized he was only half awake.  The visions of her dream were still vivid in her mind.  She shooed them away again, annoyed that they had surfaced in the first place.  With a simple turn of her neck her nose was pushed against the top of his head, his messy hair tickling her nostrils while the scent of his him delighted her senses.  She found herself taking in a deep breath.  He moaned against her and finally grumbled, "you ok?"


She responded softly with an "mmmm hmmm" and closed her eyes, reveling in the closeness they shared... the intimacy that she found so amazingly fulfilling.  She knew he had never shared this with Jill, or any other random hookup for that matter.  Ex girlfriends were a different story, one she wasn't brave enough to broach.  But that didn't matter either.  It was obvious she was the only thing he was interested in.  



The next day JC was taping all day.  It gave Ellie the time she needed to get some things done around the house and also to review some projects she had given to Daphne.  The money from her settlement with James was being wired to her by the end of the week.  She agreed to all of his terms and in return she was receiving the $50 million, minus the expense of what he'd paid for her home, which was being drawn into her name instead of his.  Ellie was happy to finally have closure.  Aside from some minor drama, the ordeal had been relatively painless.  Of course, she did have a lot of information on James that she knew he didn't want to get out.  


Basically he was paying her to keep quiet.  She had every intention of doing that.


The text messages from John Mackey did leave question in her mind, but whatever it was he wanted, she could not help with.


It was after 11 AM when Jill called. She invited Ellie to join her for a drink.  Feeling like she finally needed to get past the whole Jill and JC issue, Ellie accepted.  It was time to move on.  Besides, she wanted to talk to Jill about the weird text messages.


It was just after 5:30 PM when Ellie valet parked her Mercedes at the Beverly Hills Hotel and headed to the Polo Lounge to meet up with Jill.  She found the statuesque red-head situated at a square table for four, speaking to a tall, dark and handsome man in an obviously expensive, tailored suit.  Jill spotted Ellie and stood, quickly introducing the man--he was the manager of the restaurant.  Once that was over, Jill greeted her with a friendly hug and whipsered quietly, "Thank you for seeing me.  I miss you."


Ellie grinned, tight-lipped.  She missed Jill as well, but she wasn't totally comfortable saying that yet.  


They sat down and Ellie tried her best not to make things awkward.  Instead she felt the need to be completely honest.  "I am still struggling," she explained.  "But I will get past all this.  I miss you too," she finally managed.


Jill beamed, flipping her red hair over the right shoulder of her black blazer.  She was conservative Jill today, black pantsuit from head to toe.  Her hair stood out like fire against a dark sky.  The contrast was eyecatching.  Of course, it was the hair that brought on the visual.  Jill and that damn red hair.


Ugh, she mentally shook the thought away and scolded herself in her head.


"So what has been going on?  You have to catch me up on stuff," Jill urged.


And Ellie found herself doing just that.  And she realized that it felt good to talk about everything.  Suddenly she realized that she needed to connect with more women, she really didn't have enough girlfriends.  She'd felt so isolated while married to James.  Everything had been so off limits or overly structured.  The friends they'd associated with were for appearance sake only.  It was time to change that, one way or another.


Ellie waited till the end, once her glass of cabernet savignon had kicked in, to talk about the random texts messages.  She left off the part of how she discovered who the messages were from.


Jill was running one long nude colored fingernail up and down the stem of her wine glass as she pondered over the situation.  Ellie could practically see the wheels spinning in her head.  "I really wish you could tell me some of that stuff.  It must be pretty juicy," Jill finally remarked.


Ellie gave her a look from the tops of her lids, dodging the remark all together.  "I'm just going to change my number.  In fact, I already ordered a new phone.  That new thing from Apple."


"An iPhone?"


Ellie nodded and then changed the subject again. "I'm not sure my life can produce anymore weird, random drama."


"Oh, don't say that.  That's just asking for something else to pop up."  Jill took the last sip in her glass.  "Let's talk about something more exciting... Like how you plan to leverage your 50 million into 100 million."


Ellie smirked, if anyone could help her do that it was Jill.


Chapter 24 by BrandyRae

Chapter 24


Life fell into a normal rhythm over the course of the next month.  JC finished up filming for his dance show.  Ellie received her settlement and with help of her financial advisor, had deposited it in the appropriate accounts and investments to allow her to make the most of her large chunk of money.  She had also been working with Jill to find the perfect business venture to take up more of her time.  She was looking to back the right business opportunity, she just hadn’t found it yet.  


Jill was the perfect person to help her connect with the right people to leverage her 50 million into 100 million.  Yes, doubling her investments was a lofty goal, but she was driven and for the first time in a long time she was safe to pursue that drive.  Besides, keeping things more business than personal with Jill was a good start to rebuilding their friendship.  Ellie didn't feel very comfortable sharing her personal life with Jill—yet—but she knew her friend would never steer her wrong when it came to finances.  And eventually Ellie hoped they'd be back to where they had been before the “big secret” had come out.


Drama seemed to have subsided, but the passion and love that JC and Ellie felt for each other were far from waning.  Over the course of a very stable month, they only spent two nights apart from each other and that was only due to JC’s need to travel to New York for a couple of days.


They had plans for dinner later that night, which would inevitably lead to staying at her home or his.  They didn’t really plan or talk about those details, they just happened.  And she was fine with that.  Things had become incredibly serious and she was happy with that fact.  


“We’re almost there,” Daphne spoke from the passenger seat of Ellie’s car.  The two were heading to a meeting on a potential business opportunity—the plans for a trendy new restaurant, which was a big risk but was something that Ellie felt interested in.  “That’s it.  Park where you can.”


Ellie glanced quickly at the abandoned building and was immediately skeptical.  It needed a LOT of work.  She was already second guessing the possibilities of this potential business venture, but she wasn’t one to skip out on a meeting so she would carry through.  If she remembered correctly, the lot was vacant because the last tenant went bankrupt and closed shop.  Before that it had been a family-owned restaurant that had been in that location for 30 years.  When they retired, the new owners changed the menu, the level of customer service dropped and so did the business.  The rest is history.  That was more than two years earlier.


Once they stepped inside Ellie was instantly spotting the possibilities.  Her assistant, on the other hand, was busy spotting the man they were meeting with.  Ellie spent the next hour going over plans with a handsome thirty-something who was looking for financial backing in order to make his dreams come true—Dalton Spencer.


Dalton seemed very put together and Ellie could identify with his drive. He was either a very smart business man, who would make a great business partner, or he was the guy that knew how to say all the right things to get what he wanted. The consummate sales person.


That part made her a tad but weary. That and the fact that Daphne was clearly smitten. That kind of charm belonged on television! Why was he in the restaurant business? But on the plus side, charm and charisma brought in customers and he would be the one running the restaurant. Ellie was looking for a more behind the scenes role. She did not want to spend her days and nights in a restaurant.


They ended the meeting with plans to touch base by the end of the week.  Mr. Spencer was eager to make a deal, but Ellie needed to do her proper homework first. Smart business women do not jump into new ventures just because someone is charming and a good salesman!


As soon as they got in the car she directed Daphne to do a background check on Dalton Spencer to make sure he was legit.




JC knocked at Ellie's door at precisely 6:05 PM. He was a bit surprised she hadn't moseyed over earlier than that, but her days seemed to get busier and busier since she’d received her settlement. He was happy to report that her disposition had not changed. Ellie still felt just as real as she did when they'd first met. Her confidence had built back up and he liked to think that had a lot to do with him and not just the money. He had not seen her shed one tear for a full month, and that was a good thing.


Daphne opened the door, purse slung over her shoulder and a box of paperwork at her feet. She'd obviously set it down to open the door. "Sorry," the blond breathed a heavy sigh. "We got busy.  She's in her bedroom."


"No prob. Do you want me to carry that?" She'd been leaning down to grab it.


"Oh no, I've—"


JC took it from her. "No," he said. "Let me."


"Thanks," she finally appeased.


A few minutes later JC was making way into Ellie's large en suite, where he found her scantily clad in an open black silk half robe perched at her vanity, applying make-up.


He loved catching her in such a state—the pre put-together state.  He also loved watching her primp for him, knowing that he was the main reason she did all that.  


He was about ready to say fuck dinner.


Her eyes twinkled as she caught his reflection in the mirror.  He leaned in slowly and placed one light and delicate kiss to the back of her slender neck.  His eyes automatically fell down the open V of her robe, her chest heaved and fall in reaction to his touch. The lace of her black bra was not made for the modest, creamy flesh peeking through the intricate fabric.  


He was beginning to wonder if she wanted to say fuck dinner!


Finally looking back over her shoulder her eyes caught his. "Sorry I'm running late."


But JC was not sorry.  Not when he was fortunate enough to catch her like this.


Instead of replying he captured her mouth in a breathless kiss—passionate and deep, like he hadn’t seen her in days or weeks or months.


He was throbbing instantly.


"Maybe we should run even later," he said with a chuckle after finally pulling back.


She twisted on her stool and was instantly facing him. His eyes swept down the front of her, absorbing all of her heavenly goodness as he reached into her open robe and gripped onto her thighs, hoisting her up and into his arms.  Automatically her legs curled around his hips, she squeezed and he heard himself groaning. Instead of taking her to the bed, he propped her up on the white marble counter—in between a mirrored perfume tray and the makeup she’d been using when he first walked in.


With a giggle she asked, "don't we have reservations?"  He noticed then that she had eye makeup on one eye but not the other. He chuckled softly at the realization.


"I know the owner," he said casually and brushed the pad of his thumb down her eyelid. "Sorry, you may have to start over."


"God, I love you," she gushed sentimentally. "Please don't ever stop wanting me this way."


He couldn't ever imagine not wanting her in every way. "You do not have to ever worry about that" he assured her just before locking lips in another steamy and passionate kiss. He was so caught up that he didn't feel her hands on his jeans until the cool air hit his exposed skin and he felt his jeans slipping down his thighs.


With one fail swoop he'd rid her of her lace black panties, groaning as he slid into her, and they became flesh against flesh. He found himself gazing into her greenish blue eyes intently as he braced himself with one hand on the mirror and the other at her low back.  He loved watching her expressions—her eyes rolled back just slightly as she pressed into him, deepening his contact. Pleasure spread across her features like the first burst of light in a fireworks display and he hungrily swallowed her up in another passionate kiss.  His tongue deep into her mouth, he felt her gasps as he worked to take her over the edge.


Gripping the back of her knee, he spread her even more, bringing her leg up high. She leaned back against the mirror—JC imagined it was cold and hard—and he was suddenly doing his best to be mindful of her awkward position.


His intuition served him right as she called out, "owe," and then directed him.  "Bed."


Immediately he hoisted her up and carried her into the bedroom, somehow managing to maintain contact with her the entire time.  Even with the grip he held on her—he could feel his fingers digging into her fleshy but firm behind—she was trying to wriggle against him. Small but intense jolts of pleasure shook through him and his legs were feeling a bit unstable.


"Careful," he told her breathily. "Let me make it to the bed first."


She giggled—that confident all-knowing sound girls make when they know exactly the affect they have on a man and his labido.  Then she pressed her entire body into him and kissed him hard—her teeth scraping over his bottom lip. He nearly lost his balance.  Thankfully the bed was there to catch them.


Damn he loved this woman!


Next thing he knew he was laid out flat on his back watching as she gracefully moved her body against him, the strength of her hands pressed into his chest as she braced herself upright. He loved being in this position. It was such a fantastic view—his eyes flitted up and down, soaking in the sweet curve of her hips, narrowing into her slim and toned waist, and then back up to the supple flesh of her breasts. He loved the delicate bounce of her body as she writhed against him with such focus and desire. It was all very timely and in sync—like she had her own song playing in her head as she rode him so effortlessly.


He got caught up in it so quickly, the next thing he knew his body was shuddering beneath her. He called out loudly as he came—it was mind-blowing and intense. She trembled against him and he felt it everywhere. Collapsing against his chest, she curved her hips, pressed him into further, and his orgasm intensified immediately.   Especially as she cried out with pleasure one last time.  He wrapped his arms around her, hugging her as tight as he could. Their bodies shuttered together, weighted breaths mingling between them both while the waves finally stilled.


"Thank you," she whispered breathily,  otherwise not moving.


"Thank YOU." He replied, still holding her tight. Her head had found a resting spot right next to his, her chin to his shoulder.  He felt the soft press of her nose into his neck just before her soft, wet lips tickled the side of his neck.  He squeezed her even tighter. He just wanted to freeze that moment and stay in it forever.



It was after eight when they finally made it to the restaurant. They were ushered right in after dropping the car with valet. Ellie was glowing. She knew she was glowing. She could feel it. There was just something about being so intimate with JC that did amazing things to her confidence. It was like this dirty little secret—I just did naughty things with one of the hottest men on the planet!  


She couldn't imagine anyone else ever making her feel so amazing.


They followed the maitre d through the trendy Asian-fusion restaurant, JC gently keeping his hand on her low back as he was just a half step behind her.  Another gesture that made her feel so secure and confident. He always found a way to touch her, even if it was in the most discrete way.


Of course there had been a time when he couldn't touch her in public. She was so glad that time had been short-lived.


"Mac's here," JC spoke softly behind her.


She looked back briefly. "Should we say hi?"


"In a bit," he remarked.


They were shown to their somewhat private booth and Ellie slid in first, JC sliding in beside her.


Immediately she found herself reaching for him under the table. "You make me so happy," she whispered sappily.


He leaned in close enough to brush his nose to her nose. "You make me so happy," he repeated.


"Oh my god, knock it off you two."  They both looked up at the sound of Mac's voice.


instantly her cheeks warmed. Damn it. She hated when that happened.


"Hey buddy...what's up?" JC of course played it much cooler than she did.


Ellie listened in as Mac started blabbing on about studio time and a track he wanted help on. Blah, blah, blah.


It's not that JC's work wasn't interesting—it was more that, but at the moment there was a tall, exotic looking woman walking towards their table and clearly smiling at Ellie’s boyfriend...although he had yet to notice.


What was this? The place to be tonight?


"JC!" She had an accent. Maybe Brazilian? Ellie suddenly didn't feel so hot...especially as she watched her normally cool and laid back boyfriend stiffen upright.


This woman was I-just-stepped-out-of-a-magazine gorgeous—long, silky black hair, beautiful bronzed complexion, minimal makeup except for voluptuous red lips, and a flowy white halter dress that accented a very slim waist and full breasts.


She was an ex. Ellie could feel it in her bones. This woman had slept with her boyfriend.


Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later. And it wasn't the first person Ellie had known that JC had slept with—unfortunately.


"Ana. Hi."  He was caught off guard—uncomfortable.  It was obvious.


"You remember Mac? And this is my girlfriend, Ellie Sanderson."


Ellie reached out a hand across the table. "Hi. Nice to meet you."  Not really.


The expression she received back was friendly to say the least. Actually it was borderline flirtatious!  


Ana quickly spouted something off in Spanish, and Ellie silently berated herself for learning French in school.


"Very nice to meet you, Ellie." Ana then finished in a heavy yet appealing accent.


Ellie didn't know whether to be upset or flattered.  The woman’s tone and attitude was so not what she’d expected it to be.


"JC," Ana continued. "It's been too long. Call me."  


Call her?  


Ellie was just completely dumbfounded.  The woman’s words were almost pleading. Who was this Ana?!


JC was quickly shooing her away after that. "Thanks Ana. So good to see you. Take care."  His words came out very fast.   Still uncomfortable.


Ellie was utterly confused.


She looked across at Mac—who was obviously amused. "Well..." He said poignantly. "THAT's my cue.  Enjoy your dinner, you too!" And seconds later he was gone too.


They were far from alone, though, as a food server was calmly waiting to take their drink order.


"Vodka martini," Ellie quickly ordered. "Dirty."


"Water for now, thanks." JC added. Then he turned quickly toward Ellie. "That was not what you think." He said in a rush. "Well...not exactly."


"I think it was absolutely bizarre!" Ellie exasperated in a whisper. And then added, "Why do I feel like she was hitting on me?”


"Because she was," JC said softly. "But can I explain all that later? When we are not in such a public place?"


Ellie nodded but she was going to have a hard time waiting to hear the rest.




JC stewed about the odd encounter through their entire meal. How on Earth was he going to explain this one to Ellie? And why did these things happen to him? Why did the greater Los Angeles area seem to be the smallest place on the planet sometimes even though it was extremely populated?


Well, if he wanted to confess all his sins and repent for all of the crazy things he'd done, this was certainly a big step in the right direction.  Not that it had been anything too terrible.  Lots of guys did it—not just guys, women too.  Maybe Ellie even had?  There really was a lot they still didn’t know about each other.


He was probably reaching with that thought, though.


There was one thing he knew for sure. He had to tell her the truth. He could not lie to Ellie. Not ever.  Not if he wanted to keep her.





Mid-martini Ellie felt a tad bit tipsy. The liquid courage made her want to bring up the topic of Ana, but she knew it should wait. She'd already decided that she couldn't get mad at him for having exes—beautiful exes at that—but still, she wasn't sure what he was going to tell her so she had no idea how she's react. All the more reason it should wait.


Her mind was going to all kinds of strange places. And now not only did she have the image of Jill's brilliant red hair in her dark visual of their intimate encounter, but now somewhere mixed in was the image of Ana and her silky jet black hair as he was—


Ugh. She had to stop herself or else the martini would come back up. Why did she have to have such a vivid imagination?!


The food came—thankfully—and it was great, which was good considering she was starving and now loopy. They carried on normal conversation throughout the whole meal, but it was obvious they were both thinking about the one thing they weren't discussing.


"So you never told me how your meeting went today about that restaurant opportunity," JC brought up as he had finished his salmon plate and she was still working on hers.


"Oh yeah. My meeting with Dalton."


"Dalton?" JC immediately question.


Ellie nodded, reaching for what was left in her martini glass.


"Dalton Spencer?"


"You know him?"  It was a fairly unique name.


"Yes."  Ellie was not expecting that.  JC knew Dalton Spencer?  


"Is that bad?" She immediately asked. "Daphne was quite taken with him. I have her running a background check on him. I hope the results aren't tainted because he charmed her so much."


JC looked away, off into the distance, but she quite clearly heard him whisper, "it's not Daphne I'm worried about."


Normally she would have grabbed him and told him he had nothing to worry about, but until she heard the rest of the Ana story she figured he could sweat it out until they got home. In her mind, that squared things up a bit for the night.  



Chapter 25 by BrandyRae
Author's Notes:
I'm on a roll!  Enjoy! :-)

Chapter 25


The ride home was quiet. Too quiet. Not that the radio wasn't on. JC had turned up the volume on the stereo as soon as they'd hit the street—and it wasn't even tuned to something good. It literally was the radio—KIIS FM.  It was some overplayed pop song. Not that she had anything against pop music, it was just clear that JC wasn't ready to talk yet. The tension was thick and that was unusual for them.


The dinner and martini in her stomach were battling a swarm of butterflies that had come out of nowhere.


As they pulled onto their street, she found herself wondering if he'd pull into his garage or hers.  They were in his car so if he pulled up to her house did that mean he was done for the night?


She was beginning to have doubts and wondering if he wanted to talk at all. Stealing a glance his way, she realized he was still completely somewhere else—lost in his own thoughts. His brow was stiff with concentration and his bottom lip was sucked in. He was tugging on it with his top teeth. It was actually a very sexy look but she could not react to it, not in that way.


She found herself wanting to bite that lip instead and then playfully smack some sense into him for turning so serious on her.


Serious JC made her nervous for some reason.


Finally he turned into his driveway and pulled straight into the garage. She got out of the car before he'd even turned it off. She just couldn't handle one more minute of that tense small space.


"El!" He was quickly calling after her, even before she heard his car door slam. "wait!"


She stopped just at the door to the house, and watched his garage door inch down slowly on the opposite end of the open space after he'd hit the button.


"Are you mad?"


"I'm not mad. I just want you to talk to me, JC. I don't like it when you get all quiet like that."


"I'm sorry. I was just caught up in my head," he explained, "but I'm not upset with you. I promise."


Ellie let her chin dip—one slow nod. "OK."


"Let's go in and we can talk."


She agreed and let him lead the way.


They went straight into his bedroom. With the lights off it was hard not to be struck by the gorgeous view of the city lights dotted along down the hill. She found herself remembering when she'd first got a glimpse of that view a couple months back, when JC had so blatantly expressed his desire to screw her—putting it bluntly.


She knew it was more than that, but considering the conversation she was facing it was easy to realize how she had justified his actions because she'd been so smitten by him.


Time to shake away those thoughts. What they shared had grown into something much, much deeper than just sex.


She turned to realize he'd went off into his closet—probably to change—and she followed him inside, heading straight to the drawer that she'd claimed as her own and pulling out a thigh-length, sheer pink night shirt. She'd barely stripped out of her clothes and put it on when she felt JC behind her, his touch at her shoulder.


She swiveled his direction and he embraced her tightly. "I love you," he whispered into her hair, emotion-filled and sentimental.


"I love you too," she returned the sentiment and kissed him sweetly.


Then she followed him as he guided her back to his bed, where they climbed on top of the bedding and sat cross-legged in front of one another.


JC grabbed both of Ellie's hands and held them.  Her eyes dropped at the action—skipping past the deep V of her neckline (her nighty was so thin she could see the dark flesh of her areolas through the fabric) and to her crossed, bare shins.  JC’s sturdy but manicured hands were grasping onto her lightly, resting on her lightly tanned skin.  He was looking down too.


"So the girl tonight... Ana."  There eyes caught.


"She's an ex, right?" Ellie was quickly asking. "It's OK, JC.  We all have exes."


He smirked, gazing upward, past her head. "I wouldn't call her an ex… exactly."


"OK..." Unfortunately she was afraid he might say that. An ex would've been easy.


Dammit.


"She's a girl I used to hookup with."  He bounced her hands a little, still grasping her loosely, as if the movement would make the conversation less serious.  "...with other women.”  His movement stopped.


Ellie pulled back, her eyes wide.  "Threesomes?!" It was more flabbergast than anger. Although she shouldn't have been surprised. "That's why you said she was hitting on me. She was hoping? Oh god. Seriously JC?  Did this happen a lot?"  Her hands were full on flailing through the air like she was an orchestra conductor.




A lot?  He wanted to say: define a lot?  But he knew that would not go over well.  Honestly, frequency was the one thing he’d rather not discuss, because quite frankly there had been a window of time where it had happened A LOT.  And his definition of a lot was probably more than hers.


"Obviously it happened a lot..." Ellie continued. "Or else why would she think that was even a possibility?!!!"


He was now thinking he should just not try to say anything until she got all of it out.


"Wait, you aren't thinking that's a possibility, are you?"


"Oh Jesus... NO."  He wasn't sure how he could be more adamant about that one.  Of course he would never want Ana to sink her claws into Ellie.  The woman was pure seduction.  He’d seen it.  He knew what the brazilian bombshell was capable of.


"Because I tried that once in college and once was enough for me.  I am not interested in sharing you JC, not with anyone. I like exclusivity in my relationships. Just you and me. That's it."  Her words were pouring out very quickly and very seriously.  Not yelling, but very stone faced. She was doing that thing she did sometimes where the words came out faster than her brain could process them.  He loved that about her...


That’s why he was positive that she hadn’t realized that she'd just confessed to having a threesome in college. The more animalistic part of him had lots of questions about that.  It was same part of him that had been present when he’d done those acts—numerous times.


She stopped suddenly and he knew he was busted. "You're grinning."  Yep.


There was just a tad bit of amusement in her eyes. "Damn you, JC." She pulled her arms up and then flopped them back onto the bed.  "All you heard out of all of that was the part about the threesome. So typical!"


Why did he want to giggle everytime she said threesome?  Did she have any idea how cute she was?  


"I was awkward in college," she continued in full-on puppy dog face mode. "OK? And I was trying to be cool."  This had gone on for long enough already.


Lifting onto his knees, he leaned into her and caught her hands to calm them.  "Stop." He hoped he was conveying the tenderness he felt.  She meant everything to him and he wanted her to know that.  "Just stop." Tenderly he braced a hand against the side of her face, his fingertips tangled gently into her hairline.  She seriously had the softest hair he’d ever felt.  He could play with it for hours.  


"First of all, You are beautiful and amazing.  I don't think you could ever be awkward. Second, I know these things keep popping up and it is not very pleasing for you to hear what I’ve done in the past, but I want you to know everything about me. I am an open book with you. For real. And third, I'm sorry I grinned. It's not because you tried something like that. It's because I knew you were probably wishing you hadn't admitted it.  And, just because you are so damn cute when you’re worked up like that.  I can’t help it."



Ellie crumbled, both mentally and physically, as she collapsed onto her back, her eyes darting up to the ceiling as her head landed with a poof into the soft mound of gray pillows at the head of his bed.  The fluffy down caved in around her ears and she almost wanted to stay that way, just because it was so peaceful and comfortable--an escape from the moment.


But as she felt the warmth of his body—he was stretching out beside her, all five-foot-eleven long and lean inches of him—she instantly wanted to curl right into him and never let go.  Abstaining, she watched his movements as he propped up on his elbow and smoothed his right hand out flat over her stomach.  He was clearly admiring that her flesh could be seen through the sheer nighty.  Gravity had taken a hold of her breasts, as it so often did, and she had the urge to reach down and prop them back up, but she did not move.  Instead she reveled in his touch against her abdomen—it felt so warm against her, it was like a heating pad against her tummy.


The butterflies she felt earlier had gone away—thankfully.


JC sighed and gradually brought his sight to hers. "This probably won't come out right," he remaked, but continued anyway. "Please do not think for a second that I was even close to entertaining the thought of you and me and her.  I respect you too damn much.  I know that doesn’t say a lot about my past choices, but like I said, I’m being honest with you.  What we have is not anything close to what I've ever had with anyone else—anyone. That is why I want to be so open with you.  Trust me, it would have been SO much easier to just say she was an ex and left it at that, but I feel safe with you and that’s not something that comes easily for me.” He felt himself get a little worked up as he continued.  “My heart feels safe with you,” his octave lowered as his voice cracked.  “As hard as it is for you to hear about these things I’ve done, I know you can take it.  I'd like to say that nothing else will come up but that's just probably not the case."


Wow.  How could she be upset when he was being so open and honest with her?  Not that she wanted to be upset.  Not that she really was to begin with.  She felt like she should have been something, she just didn’t know what!


But his heart felt safe with her?  That just made her heart melt!  


"I do appreciate that you are honest with me, JC, and please don't mistake my reaction for being upset with you. It wouldn't be fair to get upset with you over things you did in the past.  The hardest part for me is the visuals. I have a vivid imagination and it's hard for me picturing you doing these things, especially when I know what the other person looks like."


"I'm sorry" was all he said to that. But really, what else could he say?  "I'm not proud of my actions. I'm really not. And to be completely honest with you, most of the wild and unscrupulous acts I've committed are a direct product of my loneliness at that time."


Loneliness? She hadn't expected that. And honestly it made her kind of sad for him.


"I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy those things at the time—I did. I had fun being wild and living in the moment. But those experiences come nowhere near what I experience just being with you, El, and I would never take a chance and jeopardize that. So please understand that while my past is a bit mortifying in some instances, my past is staying very much in the past. You do not have to worry about those things happening now that we are together."


Her eyes drawn to his, she slowly nodded. "I believe you and I trust you."


Her eyes followed the movement of his face as it came in close. She focused on the light shadow of stubble on his top lip just before he kissed her. "Thank you," he told her, pulling away just enough to speak.


"Is there more?" She heard herself asking and almost wished she hadn't.


His neck craned back, probably so he could study her better. Her sight fixed on the imperfection of his nose this time. She loved the imperfection—the bulbous tip and the way the bridge was just a little too wide for his face. Imperfection at its finest. She loved this man. She would accept whatever he had to tell her.  She had to.


"More? Like more things that I've done I'm not proud of?"


"Things you would never tell your mother," Ellie clarified.


He grinned, wide and amused. "I wouldn't tell my mother a lot of things," he replied with a smirk.


"Well, I guess it's going to be a long night," Ellie chuckled as she reached a hand to smooth against the side of his head just briefly.  He’d just had a haircut and his dark hairline was perfectly groomed around his ear and the back of his head.  It was one of those weird things that she found extremely pleasing to the eye.


He relaxed against her side and hugged her with his entire body, one of his hands finding her head so that his fingertips could trace through her hair and along her scalp. It felt absolutely heavenly, just the right amount of pressure.  Then he pressed a moist kiss into her temple. Still, she did not lose focus.


"I will tell you whatever you want to know," he spoke softly and sincere, and she remembered quickly the affect his silky tone had on her reserve.


She rolled to get better eye contact and the strength of his grip slid to her waist. "Well, start with tonight.  Were the ‘others’ girlfriends?  Or just hookups?"


She watched the knob in his throat bob with a nervous swallow.  His brow furrowed in the center of his forehead. "By others you mean the additional party?"


"Yes."  She imagined her questioning made him a bit uncomfortable, but he preached his honesty so she was going to push the limits on how far she could take her questioning.  Whatever she heard, she could take it.


"They were not girlfriends, per say, but more than hookups. They were girls that I casually dated."


"So how did that even work? I mean, how do you initiate something like that?" She was genuinely curious, even though she wasn't sure why, and she felt like maybe if she knew more of how it really happened that she wouldn't be quite so tortured by her vivid imagination.


"You really want to know that kind of detail?"  He was brushing hair out of her face again. She'd managed to tangle her arms around his fit torso, and her cheek was kind of planted against his shoulder. She'd decided it was easier to ask these things when she wasn't looking him in the eye. Besides, his arms made her feel secure and safe.


"Yes, it gives me a bigger window into the world of JC."  She peeked at him, just for a moment.


He smirked. "Nice. OK. Well, I didn't really do much to be honest. It was mostly Ana."  She felt his torso expand and contract as he sucked in a heavy breath.


"Ana?" Ellie didn't necessarily like saying the name, but she pushed it out anyway.


JC was now tracing lazy circles down her back with his fingertips, leaving light trails of electricity on her skin.  She tried not to absorb the sensation too much because she didn’t want to lose focus.  "Ana enjoys beautiful women," he continued, "and she enjoys beautiful women even more so when someone else is watching."  Ellie hadn't really expected that type of response.  The visual switched from two women devouring her boyfriend to her boyfriend watching in a corner as two women devoured each other.   That was not what she’d expected.  JC was voyeur?


It was at that point she realized her body was reacting in a way that may have not been appropriate considering he was confessing some of his darkest sins.  Regardless if it was right or wrong, she could not ignore the low swirling dance of temptation that had surfaced in her belly. There was a warmth between her thighs that had not been there moments before.  She squeezed her legs together, as if that would make it go away.


It didn’t.


She felt oddly conflicted between her discomfort, her curiosity and her excitement.


Carrying on, she hoped none of those feelings were showing. "So you did not participate?"


"Oh, I wouldn't say that..." His voice was downright sexy when he said it, as he gave her a good, firm squeeze that she felt everywhere. The visual that popped in her head then was more scandalous than she cared to admit!  And one that should have made her cringe!


But it didn’t.  What was wrong with her all the sudden?


Her head was telling her that she should have been upset or disgusted, but her body was betraying her—the heat between her thighs had joined with moisture, a LOT of moisture, and she was down right mad at herself for being so incredibly turned on.  This was so wrong!


Maybe he was doing this on purpose?  He did have the sexiest voice in the universe—all he really had to do was say a few choice words and she’d be begging for it.  That had to be what was happening.  It could not be simply the thought of JC involved in a hot threesome with two other attractive women.  It had to be his voice, and the lazy circles he was drawing on her back.  She would force herself to think that if she had to.


At that point, she really didn't know where to take the conversation.  Plus she didn’t trust her hormones, which now seemed to be running the show.  So instead she grew quiet and tried to calm her overactive labido, but her breath was heavy and her pulse was racing.  She was literally hot from head to toe.  A pulse had now joined the already present heat and moisture trapped between her thighs.


JC's hand skipped down to her hip and then under her night shirt and she was like a cat begging to be stroked, practically purring for him.  She knew she'd been discovered.  He could read her body language like it was his favorite, well-recited book.   


That’s when he confidently dipped a finger inside the front of her low hipster VS panties, pulling them down just enough to press the back of his finger against her wetness. He groaned loudly and obviously at the realization that she was soaking for him.


Confidently, he found his way into her little bit of clothing and palmed her entirely, teasing her with his middle finger against her moist and sensitive flesh. His mouth searched out her lips and he was cursing into their kiss, a muffled "fuck, baby."  She was so hungry for him, she gasped when his tongue swept past her lips somewhat forcefully.


"I know. It's wrong," she confessed after a moment, grinding her hips into his touch and whimpering when the pad of his finger rolled over her throbbing clitoris.  Fireworks of electricity shot through her body.  He knew exactly what to do and how to do it.


"It's not wrong. It's fuckin' hot."  He gasped, as he was full on massaging and rubbing her.  Her hips couldn’t match his touch fast enough.  Suddenly all she could think about was release.  


He managed to knock her flat onto her back with his chest and he instantly had better access. "Let me make you come.  You'll feel better.”  His voice was so damn sexy, how could she ever argue?   “Then we can continue our conversation."  His breath was so weighted and heavy you would have thought he was deep inside of her, when really he was just that focused on pleasing her.


"Am I bad?" She asked, just before he plunged his touch deep inside of her and pressed firmly into her G spot. She nearly screamed out at the feel of it.


"You are bad in the best fucking way ever," he said just after that, right before he pressed his mouth into hers for a deliciously hard and deep kiss. He pressed his thumb into her sweet spot while his middle finger worked inside of her. The second the two sensations joined that was it, she instantly climaxed, her entire body convulsing and her hips arching off the bed in concerto. She screamed and shouted and grunted and he stayed there with her through the entire ride, pressing into her with the pressure that her pulsing body craved. When it finally settled, she was a bit in shock over the whole thing.


She really hadn't meant for that to happen.


JC freed his hand from the inside of her panties and rolled his weight into her again. Instantly she felt how hard he was. Oh damn. This could turn out to be a long night. She was perfectly OK with that.


"Don't you dare feel bad about what just happened," he was telling her and kissing her at the same time. "There is nothing wrong about being turned on when we are having conversations about sex—and naughty sex at that. Nothing wrong at all."


Ellie chuckled. She felt such relief after her mindblowing orgasm it would take a lot to feel shame at the moment.


"You do not ever have to be embarrassed about anything with me. Do you understand? I will never judge you, El. Never."


"Thank you," she whispered it. And she meant it.


She hugged on to him even tighter, reveling in the strength of his body against her. He just felt so good—holding him made her heart full. There was no feeling to compare it to.


The fact that he was in such tremendous shape didn't hurt. His muscles were strong and lean. Often she'd found her fingers exploring the dips and curves of his toned muscle definition.  And often she gave silent thanks that he cared so much to take care of his body because she enjoyed it very much.


Loosening his hold on her, he lifted away enough that he could kiss her forehead. "Thirsty?"


"Yes please."


"Ok. I'll be right back."  


JC hopped up and Ellie took the opportunity to use the bathroom. She chuckled at her reflection in the mirror. Her wavy auburn hair was totally disarray, extra full and crazy on top from where JC had been playing with it. Still amused at herself, she smoothed it down with her hands.  It helped a little.


When she returned to the bed JC was inside of it and from what she could see, he wasn't wearing much.  She noticed that he had placed a tall glass of water on her nightstand, on top of a round, black coaster.  Without hesitation, she climbed over him and climbed into bed.  "Thank you," She said first, reaching for the water.  Then she took a much needed sip.  Her mouth seemed extra dry for some reason.  Perhaps the vodka from earlier?


Then she situated herself on her side, propping up on an elbow while her left hand found the warmth of his rib cage.  She indulged and sought out his hip—just as supsected, he'd stripped down to his boxer briefs.  She didn't let herself get too excited.  She had something she wanted to say.


"I want you to know that I'm not a prude."  She was beginning to feel like she should have reacted with more of an open mind to his confession.


His reaction to her words was strong and evident. "I most certainly do not think that," he expressed with a stiff brow, his gaze unfaltering.  "I know you are not a prude."


She just stared in waiting, knowing he had more to say.


"What I do think," and his gaze softened into something much more comforting as he continued, "is that you have been conditioned to be viewed as someone who is very prim and proper, which is fine, as long as you remind yourself that you do not need to be that way when we are alone."


"I know that," she grinned.  "You have opened up my world a bit in that sense."


The tickly, wet touch of his puckered lips dabbed quickly to the tip of her nose.  "I know," he stated simply. "And I think we should continue with our conversation from earlier," he suggested.


Ellie's tummy dipped in response.   "You want to tell me more about all the things you can't tell your mother?"


He chuckled lightly, brushed her hair back from her face and said, "Actually I was thinking it was your turn to share."


"Oh.... you want to know about my awkward experience, don't you?"


"And anything else you want to tell me... since we are laying it all out on the table—or bed—so to speak."


Ellie smirked.  "I'm sure my stories come nowhere near close to as exciting as yours."


He kissed the top of her cheekbone. "That's probably true."


"There was no oral," she heard herself spit that out quickly before her brain had even registered it.  Like she'd just had to let him know she'd never done THAT.  Jeez, what was wrong with her?


JC was amused, probably at her uncomfortable honesty.  "I am not judging either way," he assured her. "Obviously, I have no room to judge."


"Have you ever...with another man?" That one popped out before she could think too.


"What? No."  He was shaking his head a little bit. She'd shocked him with that question. "Not that there'd be anything wrong with it if I had, but that's just not my thing."


She was glad. That might have been a little TOO open for her taste. "Sorry. I just know that you've been exposed to a lot more than I have."


In one swift move he nudged her onto her back and rolled on top of her, straddling her hips and falling to his elbows so that his face was just a small space above hers. "Sometimes I wonder how things come out of your mouth so freely."  He chuckled gruffly and bumped his forehead playfully against hers. "I know you have a filter 'cause I've seen it, but when we're alone sometimes..."


"I know," Ellie interrupted, trying hard not to get lost on his handsome gaze. "I can't help it. It happens when I'm really comfortable with someone."


His smile grew wide as he dipped in and sealed her lips with a tender kiss. "Don't ever feel like you have to change that becuase it's one of the things I absolutely love about you."  He settled into her then—his torso spreading out against her stomach and his hips resting gently into her. He was heavy, but not too heavy.


Now she was smiling.


He nudged his nose into her ear and whispered. "You never told me your story."


Lightly Ellie smirked. She should have known she couldn't get out of it.  "It was my sophomore year at UCSF and I was at a party—slightly intoxicated—and I had been hanging out with this guy who I thought was cute at the time.  One of our mutual acquaintances was at the party too and things just kind of happened. To be honest I don't even remember how it came up. I just remember ending up at her dorm room and then one thing just led to another."




JC realized quickly he didn't want to know anymore than that, but it was too late as Ellie was continuing anyway.


"They ended up more into each other and I snuck out when they were busy, feeling extremely uncomfortable...so much so that I avoided both of them for months."


JC let all of his weight sink into her and squeezed her as best he could. Then he took a big whiff of her—remnants of her Michael Kors perfume lingering at her neck. "What idiots," he said with an exhale.


Ellie was giggling underneath him. "Why do you say that?"


He managed to press all five of his fingertips into the side of her ribs. She giggled with a jolt—he'd tickled her—and he enjoyed every second as she wriggled underneath him. "Because you are the most amazing woman on the planet, AND you are a sexual beast. Anyone who passes that up is clearly an idiot."


"You're just trying to get into my pants!" She chuckled. His hands automatically danced across her slender rib cage. He lifted and sat atop her to get a better angle. Then watched as she squirmed and wiggled underneath him. Her eyes were closed—she was still in full makeup, that he knew she'd want to wash off before bed—so she didn't see him lean in to kiss her. He captured her lips mid-laugh and what followed was a funny muffled giggly gasp.


"Technically you're not wearing pants," he finally responded, shifting and situating his legs in between hers so he could settle his weight into her.  She moaned when she felt how hard he was.  God he loved the sounds that she made.


"I guess that makes it easier for you," she spouted back with a laugh, clearly amused with her own comeback.


"I'm not sure there'd ever be a time where it would be difficult—with you," he teased back. Suddenly her legs had surrounded his thighs like a vise, as she seemed to be squeezing with all her might. He could see the focus in her jaw as she tensed and it just made him laugh even more. Even with her regular yoga and Pilates she could not out-strength him.  "Silly woman. Do you think you can hurt me?"


"No," she grunted, still squeezing, "but it's fun trying."  The hold fell and she let out a hefty breath of air. JC quickly rolled them both over so that she was on top of him. Ellie settled immediately and rested her head into his chest.


"Thank you for understanding me and being so open."  His arms couldn't squeeze her tight enough as he said it.


"Thank you for reminding me that I can be open," she remarked. "I led such a conflicting life when I was married to James."  She didn't say his name much and it felt weird to hear it come out of her mouth.  "I lost myself a little. I love that you accept me for who I am and let me be myself...and maybe even help me to remember who that person is when I forget. I think you know me better than I know myself sometimes."


He just kept squeezing. He loved what she was saying to him. "Awe, I love you, sweetheart. So much."


"I love you too," she replied with emotion-filled sentiment "more than I've ever loved anyone before."

Chapter 26 by BrandyRae

Chapter 26


Sunday morning was probably Ellie's favorite time of the whole week. For one, she never did anything business related on Sunday. That was her own personal rule. And on Sunday mornings she liked to relax with her coffee--in her pajamas of course--and read or watch a good movie--and typically check in with her mom to get updates on how her family was doing back home.


This Sunday was no different except for the fact that JC was in her kitchen cooking breakfast while she lounged in bed with her coffee--that he had also made and brought to her.


It was a routine she could easily get accustomed to, especially as she took in a deep breath of bacon aroma. Her stomach growled in consent.


A few days had passed since they'd shared their intimate stories with each other. She couldn't help but realize that their connection just seemed to grow stronger and more intense everyday. It was an amazing feeling.  


She was beginning to realize just how much she'd changed who she was during her marriage to James. JC was right. James had conditioned her to come across as poised and proper at all times, and in turn Ellie had closed off her more free and adventurous side. It saddened her to think how she'd lost five years of her live, living as a bad version of herself, just to please a husband who probably never even truly loved her.


Did James actually know how to love anyone?


JC definitely knew how to love--and love with all of his heart and soul. He showed her that part of him more and more everyday.  She was dazzled by just how much he truly did love her and truly loved her for the real person she was inside.


When she made way to the kitchen a few moments later, she found him standing in front of the stove wearing her green and yellow floral apron and only a pair of black 2xist boxer briefs. For a moment she just stood there and died a little inside. THIS was the man she was in love with. She couldn't have been more happier with that fact.


He was the hottest goofball she'd ever met.


He turned then, probably at the feel of her eyes boring into his backside, and she headed straight for him.


"Hi," he said goofily.


"Hi," she giggled.


Once she was within reach she found herself peeking into the side of his (hers, actually) apron to get a good look at his lean torso underneath. "I like your cooking ensemble," she chuckled, bringing her eyes up to his. His hair was a mess--total bed head--she loved that too.


"I thought you might." He turned quickly on his heels to tend to the bacon. Her eyes drifted automatically down the lean curvature of his back and spine. Before she could think about it, she'd pulled the little green tie that was holding the apron together.


He turned again sharply--tongs in one hand--and slung his free arm around her waist. "You are disarming my grease splattering protection."


She smirked and pressed a sloppy kiss to his lips. "Dork," she called him playfully.


"You love it," he teased.


"I do."


Then she watched as he moved toward a cutting board topped with fresh veggies for an omelet--mushrooms and green onion and avocado. She was hungry just thinking about it.


But she was also feeling a little spontaneous and was in need of an adventure.


She topped off her coffee mug and took a seat at the island, still eyeballing him as he beat eggs in a glass bowl.  His ass didn't jiggle much--that requires a certain amount of body fat--but it did have a nice shake to it!


She took a long sip of her black coffee. "So what's your schedule like this week?"


He turned to glance at her for a brief moment. "It's pretty flexible actually. No outside commitments just some stuff I want to get done for myself."


"Would you be up for putting that stuff off for a few days?"


He stopped completely then and turned to give her his full attention.


Ellie continued. "I'd like to head up north for a few days. Visit my family and maybe spend a couple days in San Francisco.  I thought a road trip might be fun."


The corner of his mouth smoothed upward just a fraction. "Hmmm. I like that idea. When do we leave?"


"After breakfast?"




Two hours later they climbed into JC's Porsche with a small suitcase and headed toward the freeway.


As nice as JC's luxury sports car was, it was a few years old and for the first time Ellie found her money burning a hole in her pocket.


She wanted a new car.


"It would be fun to make this trip in a brand new Maserati."  She was sort of thinking out loud. "How quickly do you think I could do that?"


"Seriously?" He shot her a curious glance. He was wearing a dark baseball cap (although it had no emblem on it) that shaded his face, but still she could see his brow raise on his right side.


"Is that frivolous?"





His first response was yes, but then realized he'd probably already have bought a new car if he'd come into a cool $50 million like she had. She'd held out for nearly a month and really hadn't bought anything.


Besides, he wouldn't mind driving a brand new car across the state. So instead of answering her question he said, "a Maserati?"


"Yeah. Nice but not ridiculously over the top."


"Some might argue that. Did you want to go see what's in stock?"


"Let's. We have no time schedule."


"Alright. Maserati of Beverly Hills here we come."


And that's exactly where they went. Ellie made a phone call on the way, to who he was guessing was her financial advisor. And by the time they arrived at the luxury auto dealer they were greeted as if their presence had been expected.


He listened as Ellie explained what she was looking for. She wanted all the bells and whistles, no black paint, and preferably under $100 grand.


Watching her talk business was a huge turn on. She knew exactly what she wanted and she knew what she was talking about. The fact that she knew a thing or two about cars was uber sexy. Most guys would have been drooling over the luxury vehicles but he was too fascinated with his girlfriend at the moment.  The cars could wait. She was far more enticing.


The older gray haired gentleman with the not quite placeable accent showed them to the vehicles that matched Ellie's criteria.  JC watched as her body automatically drifted toward a pearl white Granturismo. it was beautiful, with a sleek sexy silhouette.  The interior was downright hot--red leather with charcoal accents.


This car did not meet the $100 grand requirement she'd given the dealer, but he was afraid by the look on Ellie's face that she really didn't care. And why should she? She could definitely afford it.


Ellie would look amazing driving this beautiful car. He was sold, but he wasn't the one buying it!


Next thing he knew they were driving through hills on a test drive. The car handled beautifully and his girlfriend looked smoking hot in the driver seat.


He was really hoping she bought it just for the hotness factor but he didn't want to give too much input. He wanted it to be her decision.


Of course as soon as they got back to the dealership and the courteous sales manager left them alone to talk she was asking his thoughts. "Should I get it?"


Hell yes. "That is your decision. It's a big purchase."


She grinned--excitement oozing from from her pores. She was so damn cute. He wanted to squeeze her.


But he didn't.


"I want it," she whispered like it was top secret. "Will you drive it?"


That was silly question! Hell yes he'd drive it! "Of course, if you want me to."


"Ok. Let's get this and get on the road."


Thirty minutes later he was following her back to his house so they could drop of his black Carrera. Why did he feel like the old girl had been ousted for something newer and shinier. This had been a pricey car when he'd bought it a few years before! And he took excellent care of it!


Oh well. It didn't matter. The Maserati was hers and it was down right sexy. He'd had a half chub since they'd stepped into the dealership. Not because of the car but because of her with the car.  He had half a mind to drag her into the house and have his way with her before they got on the road.


He parked in the driveway and hopped out to switch their small suitcase (yes, they'd packed lightly and shared a bag) from his car to hers.


She'd got out too and was heading straight for him. He could see she was reaching for him and automatically dropped the hold on the LV keepall just before her delicate hands slid around his waist. She looked up at him with that look girls give when they wanted reassurance--wide eyed and expectant. He brushed a wave of hair from her cheek and embraced her, holding her lightly.


"Do you think less of me for my impulse buy?"


"Absolutely not." It was the truth. He leaned forward and dipped his chin to kiss her sweetly. "I'm really looking forward to our little getaway."


"'Me too! Let's go!" She chuckled with excitement while hopping away from him, moving around to the passenger side of the new luxury car. "You're driving."  She announced.


He didn't question it. Instead he put the bag in the back and got behind the wheel.



Once Ellie realized it would be after dark by the time they got in to town, she called and checked them in to the penthouse at The Citizen hotel in downtown Sacramento. It was near the Capitol building and one of the nicer places to stay in the city.


It's where she always stayed when she visited her mom--at least since she could afford it anyway. So basically since she'd married James. Not surprisingly, he'd never stayed with her. He'd visited Northern California with her only one time and thanks to the private jet there was no need to stay the night.


She was thankful for that now because she enjoyed staying at this particular hotel and it was left untainted.


When they stopped for gas and a quick bathroom break, Ellie decided she better go ahead and let her mom know they were heading her way. So she headed to the back of the travel stop to use the facilities and then pulled out her phone while she looked for a drink. When her mom didn't answer she left her a quick message that they would see her tomorrow and left it at that.


Taking two bottles of water to the checkout, she nearly dropped them when she got to the cashier. Staring at her from the counter was an old picture of her and James on the cover of Star magazine with the headline Media mogul settles divorce quietly out of court. Inset was a much smaller and recent photo of Ellie walking beside JC on the street outside Sur restaurant.


"Motherfucker," she cursed softly at the site. Then she picked up the magazine and bought it.


She knew she shouldn't give the rag mag her money but at the same time she wanted to know what it said.


The male cashier looked at her questionably as she paid cash for her items. She was thankful the place was pretty empty and no one was in line behind her. He obviously recognized that it was her on the cover of the magazine, as he did several takes between her and the glossy cover.


She grabbed her change and got the heck out of there.


JC was clueless as he was just finishing gassing up.


"Are you ready to drive yet?" He called out to her and she boisterously shook her head no, her subtle brown waves swooshing against her cheeks from the movement.


His brow furrowed. He could obviously tell something was wrong.


He popped his head in the car as Ellie was already falling back into the lux passenger seat. Even in the midst of her sudden stupor she managed to take a quick moment to appreciate the fine leather and its distinct scent.


"What's wrong?" His blue eyes probed in conjunction with his words.


"I'll tell you when you come back."  She knew he had yet to go inside and use the bathroom.


He pulled the cap down farther on his head and said "I'll be right back" before shutting the door and leaving her alone.


Ellie immediately sank deeper into the seat and flipped to the article. As she began reading, her stomach began to sour. It was worse than she thought.


A lot worse.


When JC finally slipped back into the driver's seat of her frivolous--and now somewhat regretful--purchase, she was damn near freaking out although managing to hold it in quite well.



JC saw the magazine spread on her lap and immediately put two and two together.  Plus it had been hard to miss at the check stand.


Damn tabloids.


It'd been a long time since he'd been on a cover. Of course he realized his name wasn't mentioned--on the outside anyway.


"So how bad is it?" He asked.


"Bad enough to make me regret buying this car."  


She said it just as the purr of the engine rumbled to life.  Guilt suddenly shadowed the enjoyment he'd got out of driving it for the past three hours.


Oh well.


"How so?"


Carefully he pulled away from the gas pump and headed back toward the highway. Even on a bumpy country road the Maserati handled like nothing he'd ever drove before--like a panther creeping out onto the tundra--skilled precision and perfection.


"I'm afraid I'm going to hear from James' attorney. This article has details that are not public. This was all supposed to be confidential. If he thinks I talked I'm in big trouble."


JC was surprised at how calm she was considering the seriousness of the words she was speaking.


"Who would've talked?" He immediately asked.


Ellie was shrugging and shaking her head at the same time. "I made Daphne sign a confidentiality agreement and she really only knows very little. Unless she was snooping, which she could have." She paused briefly and continued. "Jill knows some of the financial details. Obviously my financial advisor. I can't imagine any of them speaking to the press. They have reputations to uphold."


"Well you know I would never..." He didn't feel like she was accusing him but he still felt he needed to say it.


"Oh JC."  She grabbed his arm and locked eyes with him--stone-faced. "I know you would never."


"You don't think Gabby could have somehow got ahold of privileged information?"


"I sure as hell hope not. If that's the case, I'm screwed."


He reached for her hand and squeezed. "Don't worry. We'll get to the bottom of this... and whatever happens I am here for you. I promise."
This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=784