Down To Me by Renee
Summary:

You're beautiful - Just the way you are - And I love it all - Every line and every scar - And I wish that I could make you see - This is where you ought to be ...

Come Down To Me


Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: JC Chasez
Awards: None
Genres: Drama, General, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 30 Completed: No Word count: 215699 Read: 36526 Published: Mar 13, 2008 Updated: Feb 07, 2021

1. Fun Stuff by Renee

2. Chapter One by Renee

3. Chapter Two by Renee

4. Chapter Three by Renee

5. Chapter Four by Renee

6. Chapter Four - Part Two by Renee

7. Chapter Five by Renee

8. Chapter Six by Renee

9. Chapter Seven by Renee

10. Chapter Eight by Renee

11. Chapter Nine by Renee

12. Chapter Ten by Renee

13. Chapter Eleven by Renee

14. Chapter Twelve by Renee

15. Chapter Thirteen by Renee

16. Chapter Fourteen by Renee

17. Chapter Fifteen (Part One) by Renee

18. Chapter Fifteen (Part Two) by Renee

19. Chapter Sixteen by Renee

20. Chapter Seventeen by Renee

21. Chapter Eighteen by Renee

22. Chapter Nineteen by Renee

23. Chapter Twenty by Renee

24. Chapter Twenty One by Renee

25. Chapter Twenty Two by Renee

26. Twenty Three by Renee

27. Chapter Twenty Four by Renee

28. Chapter Twenty Five by Renee

29. Chapter Twenty Six by Renee

30. Chapter Twenty Seven by Renee

Fun Stuff by Renee
Author's Notes:

This is where you'll find that happy disclaimer, a few notes and the credits for songs and themes.

Disclaimer

I'm not affiliated in any way, shape or form with the public figures I may have a whim to write about. Don't know 'em, have no dealings with 'em at all. Other characters and story elements are simply figments of my twisted imagination and wild creativity. Any resemblance, likeness or similarity is completely unintentional. Any borrowed elements (song lyrics, themes, etc.) are given their proper credit.


Story Notes

Feedback is a greatly appreciated thing. Let me know if I'm wasting my time, if you want to see it go on or if you have constructive criticism that I might put to use. I'm pretty much an open book, so if you've got something to say, lay it on me.

stories/363/images/Jen_400x300.jpg

This is Jen.  I do not own this photo, and I have no idea who this beautiful girl is (I believe I saw the name Kelley Thompson somewhere in the tags, but who knows), but I saw her during a Google search and my brain just screamed "That's her!"  So, everybody please meet Jen.

 

Credits

 

Story Title and Description Song credit: Come Down to Me by Saving Jane

 

Chapter Two

Movie reference is to Teen Wolf - one of the absolute best cinematic offerings in my lifetime. *laughs* Love that movie. The nickname Boof is introduced in this chapter and will be used frequently throughout the duration of the story.


Chapter Three

Song credit is to Michael Jackson's Black or White, of course. And yes, I tend to dance just like this in my own kitchen, in my socks and at top volume. *grin* Just imagine a fat girl doing the moonwalk across linoleum . . . yeah, makes me giggle, too.


Chapter Five

I think this one's kind of obvious, but the lyrics at the end of this chapter belong to When I See You Smile by Bad English. I know it's corny and absolutely full of cheesiness, but isn't that what those old prom songs are supposed to be? *laughs* JC seems to approve, since he throws back to it in Chapter Six as well.


Chapter Seven

First of all, obvious song credits go to Richard Marx's Now and Forever. Awesome song and I personally think JC did an awesome job with it back in the day.

Secondly, I too have read FictionLyn's It's Only Me. There are elements contained in this chapter that also appear in some capacity in IOM, only I believe I've used them in different contexts. The bracelet scene is kind of similar and there is a section with a few references to Disney characters that appears in a similar fashion. After some consideration on my use of those elements - the situations are different, Lyn used colored beads rather than charms/Robin Hood instead of John Smith, different characters/settings/dialogue/etc. are involved, etc. - I believe that these elements appear in a different light here. If she'd like credit for these ideas, then I'm more than happy to give Lyn that honor.

Lastly -- I'm obviously not using a timeline to arrange the layout of my little story here. Dates are more than likely not going to match up and I don't really plan on stressing over getting them exactly right, either. I'm already putting some extensive research into other portions of the story line and having it match exactly with true to life events is a little bit beyond me. *laughs*


Chapter Eight

Several song credits and references: Here and Now by *NSYNC, Don’t Worry, Be Happy by Bobby McFerrinBrown Eyed Girl by Van Morrison and Foolish Games by Jewel

Also, in case you’re interested, when I refer to Jen’s singing, I imagine her to sound like Tori Kelly. Look up her performance of Soul’s Anthem (It Is Well) on YouTube and I think you’ll understand why.

 

Chapter Nine

In case you're interested, the instrumentals that Jen submits to Alex are Homeward Bound by William Joseph and I've Always Thought of You by Tommy Emmanuel

Violet Beauregarde: The gum-chewer from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

Other song credits:  You're Still the One by Shania Twain and Champagne High by Sister Hazel

 

Chapter Ten

Song credits:  One Sweet Day by Mariah Carey & Boyz II Men and Commitment by LeAnn Rimes

 

Chapter Eleven

Song reference:  Kiss Me by Sixpence None the Richer

 

Chapter Twelve

Song references/credits: Sailing by Christopher Cross, Stand By Me by Ben E. King and One Sweet Day by Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men

 

Chapters Fourteen & Fifteen

There is a very heavy reference to the musical Les Miserables for the duration of these chapters, with direct lyrical content from the songs I Dreamed a Dream, On My Own and A Little Fall of Rain.

Spoiler Alert!  If - by some outrageously odd coincidence - you haven't seen or heard of this musical, specific plot details are discussed that give away key elements of the storyline.  I was exceptionally happy to give Jen the role of Eponine, as I felt it was perfect for her character.  :-)

 

Chapter Eighteen

Madusa: A little throwback to one of the ladies of nineties wrestling.

 

Chapter Twenty

Lots of song titles through this one, but the only lyrics included are from God Must Have Spent a Little More Time on You by *NSYNC

 

Chapter Twenty Two

Movie reference is to While You Were Sleeping - one of my absolute favorite Sandra Bullock flicks.  And yeah, I might have had my own little crush on Jack back in the day, too.  *laughs*

Song reference: If Not With You, For You by Chris Klafford

 

Chapter Twenty Four

Song reference: If You Wanna Be Happy by Jimmy Soul

(Totally not a song that would get air play today - definitely not PC - but I have very fond memories of bopping to it as it blared from my Dumb Ditties eight track in the eighties. And it's definitely on my Apple playlist. *laughs*)

 

Chapter Twenty Five

Song references/credits: God Must Have Spent by *NSYNC, Iris by Goo Goo Dolls and Uninvited by Alanis Morrisette

 

 

 

 

Chapter One by Renee

September, 1982

Back, forth.

The squeaking of the swing chains echoed through the little girl’s thoughts as she stared into space.

Back, forth.

The world swayed before her as she swung lightly, her toes scraping through the dirt and her fingers gripping tightly around the chains as the other kids ran in groups around her.

The first day of school was the absolute worst. It was a day of first impressions, when kids judged whether you were someone they would hang out with, if they thought you were cool or if you would be the class 'geekwad'.

Apparently, she’d been voted 'geekwad' for Ms. Morgan’s first grade class. Not one person had spoken to her, save for the teacher, and that was only when roll was called this morning. Of course, that was how the new kid was usually treated. She’d seen it a few times last year. This class was full of kids who knew each other from kindergarten, knew who would be the coolest friend to have and who to ignore.

She didn’t know anybody and nobody knew who she was, either, so she was going to have to make that extra effort to fit in, to meet the others. But she was shy and really didn’t have the guts to stand up and announce her presence to the entire class. She was much more comfortable right here, sitting by herself on the swing set, watching everybody else run around and play on the other equipment.

The soles of her sneakers dragged the ground as she looked down at her neatly pressed jeans and Smurf t-shirt, a small smile crossing her features when the theme song from her favorite cartoon escaped from her throat in a hum. The smile quickly faded as she realized how kindergarten the cartoon was. It simply wouldn’t work for a first grader. Determination made her eyes narrow, and she vowed to find a new favorite television show before she fell asleep that night. Something not so babyish. Something more suitable for a kid who’d turned six a few weeks ago.

She didn’t realize she’d come to a stop until the swing creaked softly, swaying gently with the soft breeze that had picked up. Lifting her small hand, she let it move with the slight wind, not minding one bit that she wasn’t swinging. She turned her face into the breeze, closing her eyes and taking a deep breath, letting the pure air cleanse her spirit and clear her thoughts.

“Do you need a push?”

Her head whipped around, wide brown eyes flying open to clash with brilliant cobalt.

He was smiling shyly at her, his hands shoved into his pockets.

She recognized him as the boy from the back of the classroom. He was quiet, but his smile, though somewhat crooked, was soothing, prompting her to smile back at him. “If you want. I’m not gonna make you, though.”

Stepping forward, he placed his hands firmly on her back and gave her a good push, sending her rushing forward.

Within moments she was flying.

She threw her head back, letting her ponytail stream behind her, her smile unmistakable from his view every time she whizzed past him, the expression on her face revealing exactly how she felt … free.

----------------------------------------

November, 1984

“Are you sure you want to go all the way to the top?”

“Yeah. Come on, it’s not that much higher. Just a few more branches.”

“Well, you go right ahead. I’m happy right here.”

“Chicken. Live a little.”

“I’m eight. I live plenty.”

“Whatever.”

“Be careful, okay? It’s really high up there.”

“It’s fine.” He stretched upward, determined to make it all the way to highest branch, rolling his eyes at her caution.

Her eyes widened when he grabbed onto a weak-looking branch. “Josh, don’t try that one, try a different one.”

“I know what I’m doing, okay?” His hand tightened on the limb, which bent dangerously as he pulled up his weight.

“Josh …”

The limb snapped in his hand, and she caught his terrified expression as he scrabbled for a solid branch as he fell.

She was already swinging herself down when he landed with a thud in the pile of leaves at the base of the tree. Her feet hit solid ground right next to him and she immediately fell to her knees, her eyes scanning for blood that might stain his clothing. “Josh, are you all right?”

He didn’t respond. No movement, twitch, moan. Nothing.

“Josh?” Her hands traveled from his head to his shoulders then moved down his arms, unsure of what she was looking for, but she’d seen it on television, so there had to be some point to it. “Josh?”

Still nothing.

Tears began to stream down her cheeks as she smoothed her hands over his head and face once again, brushing the leaves from his hair. “Josh. Come on, Josh.” She could hear her own tears as her voice wobbled.

Her arms snaked around her legs, hugging her knees to her chest as she sat next to him, crying quietly as she scrambled for an idea of what to do. The only thing she could conjure up was a panicked, frightened blank and she buried her face in her knees, the tears soaking through her jeans as her shoulders hitched with her deep breaths.

Then, in a moment of silence, she heard it.

Quiet laughter. Crunching leaves as he rolled.

“Hey, don’t cry.”

She raised her head to meet his eyes, which quickly turned from laughing to regretful when he saw her tear-streaked face.

“Oh, man. I was just kidding. Don’t cry. I’m all right.”

The trembling of her fingers was obvious as she wiped her eyes, then swung a fist to punch him sharply on the shoulder. “Don’t you ever do anything like that again, you jerk! You scared me to death!”

“I’m sorry. Come on, get up.” He helped her to her feet, pulling her into a hug. “I’ll never do it again, I swear.”

Her hands clutched at him desperately, then she pushed him away, wiping her eyes again to glare at him. “Right.”

He followed her as she walked away from the tree and toward her house. “Come on, Jenny. I’m sorry.”

“Just give me a little while to get over it, okay? For a minute there, I thought you were dead.” She turned to face him in her driveway. “I’ve never been so scared in my life.”

“Is that why you freaked out? You thought I was dead? I was breathing, Jen. You thought of everything but that.”

“I panicked. So sue me.” Her shoulders rose in a poor attempt at a noncommittal shrug, and he could still tell that she was shaken.

When she turned to go up her front steps, he grabbed her arm and turned her around, pulling her back into another hug, where she started sobbing against him again.

“Hey. Everything’s okay. I’m fine. You’re fine. The tree’s fine.” A watery laugh escaped, muffled by his shirt, reassuring him slightly. “There’s nothing to worry about. I was stupid and I’m sorry.” His brow furrowed when he felt her trembling, her whole body shaking as she fought to take deep breaths. “Come on, calm down. I’m right here.”

Finally, she was able to raise her head, her fingers coming up to dry the fresh tears. “You’re my best friend and I thought I’d lost you. That … that scared me. Losing you is the worst thing that could ever happen to me.”

“Wow.” His eyes widened. “I didn’t know you cared so much.”

She rolled her eyes as she unlocked the door, then motioned him in. “Guys are so dense. Don’t you know by now that I love you?” He stopped to look at her, and she grinned. “Through thick and thin, friends to the end. Right?”

With a smile, he leaned over and wrapped an arm around her. “Right.”

----------------------------------------

April, 1988

“I still can’t believe she said yes!”

Jen rolled her eyes as she bent to dig the baseball out of the bushes. “Yeah, shocker. She’s just been after you all freakin’ year.” She muttered to herself as she got down on her knees and crawled into the branches, until she finally found it underneath some low hanging leaves. As she stood, she plastered a grin on her face and dusted off her jeans. “Yeah, Josh. It’s awesome.”

“Candice Patterson said yes to me, Jen.” He was bouncing in place, that silly smile still lighting up his eyes as he swung the baseball bat back and forth. “The most popular girl in our grade is going with me to the sixth-grade prom. Not Adam Levine. Not Mike Hill. Me.”

“Adam and Mike are both losers. You know that.” She tossed the ball up and caught it in her glove. “Why everybody wants to be around those jerks … I just don’t get it.”

“They might be losers, but they’re the popular guys.” He laughed. “And she said no to them and yes to me. This is gonna be such a blast.”

“It’s the last dance of the year for us, of course it’ll be a blast.” Her eyes followed the ball as she flipped it into the air and caught it just before it hit the ground. “I really don’t think it’ll matter who you’re there with.”

“Oh, yeah, it matters.” A deep breath escaped as he looked to the sky, his voice going dreamy again. “Dances are always fun, but … well, Candice makes this one perfect.”

At his words, a pang of hurt streaked through her. Every other dance, they’d gone together. And while she knew he wasn’t trying to say that Candice was better company, his words caused a pain all the same. Ignoring the lingering sting, she shook her head, the ponytail on the top of her head swishing over her shoulders. “How long have you had a crush on her, Josh?”

His head jerked down and he stared at her. “What?”

“Candice. How long have you had a crush on her?”

“Oh … um, well …” The tips of his ears turned red with his blush. “I don’t know. I think … maybe since October.”

“October, huh?” She tilted her head and studied him. “What do you like about her?”

“Well, she’s cute. And she’s a cheerleader. And she’s smart.” The bat went around again as he thought. “And she’s nice. And funny.” He lifted his eyes and grinned as he watched her toss the ball once more. “She’s not like the other girls in our class.”

“Yes, she is.”

“What?”

“She’s exactly like every other girl in our class. They all want to be her, so she’s probably more of a ringleader than anything else.” Her knuckles turned white as she gripped the ball, pressing it into the palm of her glove forcibly. “You’re a guy, so you don’t see it.”

“No, you’re a girl, so you don’t see it.” Blue eyes moved over her contemplatively. “She reminds me a lot of you.”

“Me?” The disbelief was written all over her face, and she had to fight to keep the disgust out of her tone. “You can’t be serious.”

“Why not? Smart, nice, cute, funny …” He ticked the adjectives off on his fingers. “She’s a blonde version of you. The cheerleader part is just an added bonus.”

A laugh escaped and she kept her eyes on the white sphere as she tossed it in the air once again. “I’m cute? Yeah, right.”

“Seth Akers thinks you are.” His smile turned evil as he kept going. “He told me so.”

She froze, not even noticing the ball hit the ground at her feet. “You’re joking, right?”

“Nope. He stopped me in the hall the other day to ask about you. Wanted to know if you were coming Friday night. I had to tell him I didn’t know.” If possible, his expression became even more devilish. “He’s got your phone number, though. He may just ask you for himself.”

“No way.” Eyes wide, she shook her head back and forth, stammering as her words caught in her throat. “I’m not … I don’t … He’s not …”

Ignoring her stuttering, he tightened his grip on the bat and swung it around again. “Just face it. You won’t be able to tell him no. And you’ll come to the dance and we’ll have a good time, just like always.”

She blinked several times, then shrugged. “Well, yeah. I guess.”

He sent her a knowing smile and took a hitting stance. “How about you stop guessing and throw me a good one?”

“Sure. If you can hit it, I’ll be amazed.”

As always when he was at the plate, everything slowed into half time as his grip tightened around the bat. Blue eyes locked on the ball in her hand as she wound up, her arm whipping forward to let it fly. He bit his lip as the ball flew toward him, then swung the bat, the wood connecting with the ball in a very satisfying cracking noise. The ball sailed high over her head and they both just stood back and watched it sail …

Straight through the Lawson’s living room window.

The glass shattered with a loud crash, followed immediately by a second breaking sound … the lamp by the couch.

“Holy God in Heaven.”

Her hand was covering her mouth, her eyes wide as his voice was the only thing she could hear. Turning to look at him, she saw his horrified expression, the bat still poised over his shoulder as if he’d just finished the swing.

“I’m dead. I’m so dead.”

Jennifer Nicole!

The scream from inside the house was deafening and it snapped her brain back into action. Josh had broken the window. A broken window meant definite grounding. For her, grounding meant no dance. She really wanted to go, but not nearly as badly as he did. There would always be another dance to go to.

For him, grounding meant no dance, but that also meant no Candice. He was looking forward to that, so excited about being there to hang out and dance with the popular kids. Dances weren’t a rarity by any means, but chances were, there wouldn’t be another time that he could say he’d taken the Princess Candice to a school dance. Plus, backing out on Candice Patterson, no matter what the circumstances, was a major social no-no.

A quiet sigh escaped when she realized that there was no way she’d be able to live with herself if she let him take the blame and miss his sixth-grade prom. He deserved better than to be stuck going to every dance with his best friend, who rated no higher than just being one of the guys. Her heart sank as she realized how badly she wanted him to have the chance to go on a date with one of the prettiest girls in their class.

Glancing down at the glove covering her hand, she swallowed hard, knowing that she’d do anything for him to be that happy, no matter what it cost her. Without another thought, she was pulling the soft leather from her fingers and rushing over to him, taking the bat from his hands and shoving her glove against his chest. “Get over there.”

“Huh?”

“She didn’t see who did it.” She groaned and pushed him until he was positioned where she’d been standing. “Stay here!”

He looked around, dazed, his eyes widening as he realized that it would seem as though he’d been pitching. “Wait. Jen …”

“Shut up! Here she comes.” She was able to send him a reassuring glance before the front door slammed open and Lisa Lawson was storming across the yard, just the sight making them both tremble in fear. By the time the woman had reached them, the bat was visibly shaking in Jen’s hands. “Oh, God. Mom, I’m sorry.”

“How many times have we told you to hit the ball away from the house?”

“Mom, I ..”

“Just wait until your father gets home, young lady …”

“He’s already home.” All three of them turned at the new voice, surprised to see Steve Lawson coming around the corner and into the side yard. “What happened here?”

“Your daughter just shattered our living room window.” Lisa glared down at Jen. “And my grandmother’s antique lamp.”

Jen swallowed hard as she watched her father’s eyes flicker over to the house, then back to give her a stern look. “Jennifer?”

“I didn’t mean to, Daddy. It was an accident.” She flinched when the bat slipped from her fingers to land on the ground.

The paternal gaze moved from her over to Josh. “And you?”

The glove on his hand began to tremble and his eyes widened as though he were trapped in a set of headlights. “I … I …”

She saw his terrified look and jumped in before he could blow the whole thing. “He didn’t do anything but throw the ball, Dad. It wasn’t his fault.”

“Uh huh.” Steve stood there silently for a minute, a measuring glance moving between the two kids before turning to his wife. “What’s that smell?”

“Oh! My bread!” Lisa took off at a run for the back door, leaving the group behind to sort things out between themselves.

Jen looked at the broken window, then down at the ground. “I’m really sorry, Daddy.”

“I know you are. I’ve broken my fair share of windows, so I know what it’s like.” His eyes shifted back and forth between them again. “Okay, kids. I’m not buying it, but I’m not going to push it, either. Joshua, take your bat and head home. Jenny and I have some talking to do.”

Josh stared at Jen as he took off the glove, shaking his head at her as he stepped up next to her father. “Mr. Lawson, I …”

“He didn’t know I could hit the ball that hard.” She interrupted, pulling her gaze up until she could see them both. “Right, Josh?”

“Um …” He took in her slightly widened eyes, saw the well-masked threat hidden there, and cleared his throat. “Y-yeah. That’s right.”

“Okay.” Steve nodded shortly, his focus never leaving his daughter. “Go on, Josh.”

“Yes, sir.” Josh stooped quickly, picking up his bat and mouthing a silent I’m sorry to Jen before turning to walk down the driveway.

Father and daughter watched as he left, then slowly turned back to each other.

“Any particular reason why you’re covering for him?”

“What?” Jen did her best to keep an innocent expression. “I’m not …”

“I saw the whole thing from the street, honey. I know you were pitching, not him.”

She flinched. “You saw?”

“Yeah, I did. Your shoving him around was quite a show.” He arched an eyebrow at her. “So, why the cover up?”

A deep sigh escaped before she answered. “Okay, so I couldn’t let him get grounded three days before the prom.”

“The prom, huh? What’s so special about a sixth-grade prom?”

“Candice Patterson.”

His eyes narrowed at the name. “Who?”

“Candice Patterson makes it special.” She heaved another sigh. “She’s the most popular girl in our grade and she said yes when Josh asked her to go with him.”

“Ah.” The deep voice above her was tinged with a mix of laughter and understanding. “I think I get it.”

“Yeah. It’s the first dance where he has a date.” Steve’s brow furrowed at her words, his mouth opening to argue, but she barreled on. “His first dance with a real date, Dad. The times we went together don’t count, because I’m just the best friend, not girlfriend material.” Her arms crossed over her chest. “He hasn’t talked about anything else all week. He’s been so excited and happy, I couldn’t let him miss it.”

“And you didn’t want to go?”

“Oh, yeah, I wanted to go. Dances are always a blast and … and I think Seth Akers was going to ask me to go with him.” She tilted her head up to look at the sky. “But I couldn’t live with myself if I took that away from Josh. Not when I know how much it means to him.”

“You’re willing to take his grounding so he can go to the dance with this Candice girl?”

“Yeah, I am. I threw the ball, so that really makes it at least half my fault, doesn’t it?” Brown eyes moved over to study him. “Remember when I was little and you were teaching me about the difference between right and wrong?”

“I sure do.”

“You told me that if it felt wrong, then it probably was wrong.” Her teeth bit on her lip and she cleared her throat. “Well, when I thought about him missing the dance, it felt wrong.”

“And you missing the dance feels right?”

“Kind of. I guess.” She didn’t give voice to the confusion tumbling in her chest, fighting down the overwhelming feeling that going to a dance with anyone other than him was definitely the opposite of right. “Josh is my best friend, Dad. If taking the blame for him gives him a chance like this one, then I’d do it a hundred times.”

“Really?” Steve smiled slightly, fighting to keep the knowing look from spreading across his features. “A hundred times?”

“Yep. In a heartbeat.”

“Well, all right, then.” Silence settled for a few minutes, until he reached up to take off his hat and run his fingers through his hair. “That window still needs to be replaced, Jen.”

“I know.” She bit her lip again, thinking of the money she’d painstakingly saved, dreaming of buying one of the awesome mountain bikes on display at the Outdoor Store. “I’ve been saving my allowance and leftover lunch money for over a year. Take that and I’ll make up the difference somehow.”

“Hmm.” His eyes widened. “What about that bike you wanted?”

“They’ll always make bikes, Dad.” Slender shoulders shrugged, trying to appear indifferent. “I’ll just start over.”

“And there’s always going to be other dances …”

“Not with Candice Patterson, there won’t be.” She interrupted. “Just take the money. It’s not that big of a deal. Besides, I might change my mind and want something else.”

He looked her over carefully. “Do you think he’ll pay you back?”

“He doesn’t have to. And I won’t ask him to, either.” There was a jingling sound as she shoved her hands in her pockets, making her change from lunch clink together. “So … grounded for three weeks, no dance and I pay for the window. Sound fair?”

“For something you really didn’t do? Sounds kind of rough to me.”

“It doesn’t matter if I did it or not. I’m owning up to it and that makes it my responsibility to fix it.” A small smile played across her lips. “Besides, if I’m not grounded, Aunt Karen is going to know something’s up.”

“True.” He scratched the back of his neck. “Tell you what. You give us the money you’ve got saved and I’ll make up the difference. Then, grounded for one week, but we’ll relax it a little bit.”

“Relax it? How?”

“No dance and no phone, but I don’t think there’d be a problem if Josh wanted to come over. You can’t leave the yard, though. Deal?”

“Deal.” With a bright grin, she threw her arms around his waist. “Thanks, Dad.”

“She’s thanking me for grounding her. Who knew?” He laughed, hugging her back. “And I won’t tell Josh’s parents, either. I’ll leave that between you guys.”

“Great.” She pulled away and began walking toward the house. “How about I go get that money before I start regretting this?”

“Sure thing.” He trailed behind her through the door. “Get washed up while you’re at it, I think dinner might be ready.”

*********************

Friday night

She propped her elbow on the desk, then rested her chin in her hand as she stared out the open window at the night sky. “Well, Josh … I hope it was fun.” Her gaze moved over the moon, picking out a few of the largest craters. “And I hope she was worth it.” With a sigh, she pushed herself out of the chair and moved toward the bed, working her hair into a loose ponytail before pulling back the covers and climbing in.

As she settled herself under the blankets, her eyes fell on the newly empty jar sitting on the dresser. She bit her lip, wishing for just a second that she could have that money back. With a shake of her head, she pushed back the regret, knowing that tonight probably meant more to Josh than a new bike would ever mean to her.

Just as she was reaching out to turn off the lamp, there was a sharp cracking noise against the metal framing of the window, the sound nearly sending her tumbling to the floor when she jumped in fright.

Fighting to catch her breath, she just sat there, waiting to see if the sound would come again. When it did, she pulled herself out from between the sheets and cautiously inched over to look out the window. For a moment, squinting into the darkness as her eyes tried to adjust, she couldn’t see anything. But then she heard it.

“Jen! Hey, Jenny! Over here.”

She turned her head, trying to find where the whisper was coming from, until she finally saw a shadow underneath one of the trees in the yard. “Yeah? Who’s there?”

“Who else would it be?” He stepped out into the moonlight, waving up at her. “Come on down.”

“Are you crazy? If they catch me out in the backyard with you when I’m supposed to be grounded …”

“Go on down there, honey.”

She whirled around, biting her lip when she saw her parents standing in her doorway. “Um … what?”

“Go on down.” Her mother smiled as she walked across the room. “He asked us first.”

“Jen!” He wasn’t even trying to be quiet now, openly yelling at her. “Jenny!”

“Seriously?” She leaned back toward the window. “Shut up before you wake up the neighbors!”

“If you’d get your butt down here, I wouldn’t have to yell.”

“Hang on a minute.” Her eyes wide, she turned back to her father. “What did he ask you?”

“It’s a surprise. Just go on down and find out.” Steve gave her a gentle push toward the door just as another yell came from the backyard. “Hurry up before he really does wake up old Mrs. Ruleman.”

“I’m going, I’m going.” She didn’t even try to hide her smile as she walked out the door and down the hall.

“Don’t stay out there too late, okay?”

“I won’t.” Jen turned back once, sending her mother a quick grin before dashing down the steps and out the back door, pausing only to slip on the pair of shoes she’d left in the back hallway. She stopped on the porch, blinking in the darkness as she tried to remember which tree he’d been next to.

“Are you just gonna stand there, or are you coming out?”

“What do you think? You got me down here, didn’t you?” The corners of her mouth twitched in a smile as she turned toward his voice. “I’m trying to figure out where you are.”

“I’m over here.” He laughed. “You know, you could always turn on the porch light.”

“Yeah, but what fun would that be?” Finally, her eyes adjusted in the sparse moonlight and she could see him leaning against the house a few yards away. “What are you doing out here?”

“Cute pajamas. Are the frog pants new?” He dodged her question expertly, his smile evident in his voice.

“Yeah, they are.” The moon came out from behind a cloud, allowing her to see his khaki pants and suit jacket. “Wow, you look really nice.”

“Thanks. I try.”

Blinking quickly, she got her mind back on track. “What are you doing out here, Josh?”

“I’m paying you back.”

“Paying me back?” Her forehead wrinkled in confusion. “For what?”

“For tonight.” He pushed away from the brick wall and walked to her. “You took the blame for the window so I could go to the dance.”

“You don’t have to pay me back, Josh.” She shook her head. “I knew what it meant to you, so I made it happen. That’s what true friends do.”

“No, a true friend would have let me vent and gripe, sympathized that I couldn’t go and went to the dance without me.” He shoved his hands in his pockets. “You didn’t only save me from getting grounded, you gave up something I know you really wanted so that I could go out with Candice.” His smile shone through the darkness. “That’s more than just a true friend, Jen.”

“I didn’t want to go to the dance that badly …”

“I’m not talking about the dance. I’m talking about your bike.” White teeth worked over his lip as he stared at her. “You’ve been saving your money for over a year, talking about it for nearly that long … but you gave it up for me.”

“You’re more important than any bike, Josh.”

“And you’re more important than a school dance, no matter who said they’d go with me.” His fingers combed quickly through his hair. “I should’ve been quicker to figure that out, Jenny. I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be sorry. I did what I thought I had to do.”

“But I still owe you.”

“No, you don’t.” Her arms crossed over her chest. “I wouldn’t have done it if it hadn’t been the right thing.”

“I don’t care. I’m still going to pay you back and I’m starting right now.”

“You are?” A dark eyebrow arched suspiciously. “How?”

“Come on.” He grabbed her hand and pulled her out into the yard. “You had to miss the dance because of me, so I’m bringing the dance to you.”

“What?”

“Stay here.” Releasing her, he jogged back to the side of the house, taking off his jacket to reveal his white dress shirt before kneeling down and fiddling with something on the ground. Music started playing and she had to smile as he walked back to her. “I stole one of the tapes from the teacher’s lounge, so this is about as close as I can get it.” He looked around. “Well, minus the gym and decorations.”

“Josh …” She trailed off in a laugh. “You didn’t have to do this.”

“Yeah, I did.” His arms spread out in invitation. “Well? Are you gonna dance with me or not? I won’t bite, you know.”

“Yes, you will, but you’ve had your shots, so I’ll risk it.” Stepping forward, she wrapped her arms around his neck, immediately finding the beat of the song and swaying with him. “Was it fun?”

“It was okay. I hung out with Seth and Mike for most of the time, so that was different.” He laughed. “If you’d been there, I would’ve danced more.”

“Really? What happened to …”

“She decided that she’d rather sit with her friends and brag about the New Kids concert tickets her mom was able to get.” She could feel him sigh. “When she told me to go get her another drink, I split.”

“I’m sorry, Josh.” Her arms squeezed around his neck in a comforting hug. “I wish she’d been what you wanted her to be.”

“Hey, it’s all right. You tried to tell me, but I wouldn’t listen.” He smiled at her. “She just proved me wrong.”

“Wrong about what?”

“She’s not another you. She doesn’t even come close to measuring up.” His arms tightened around her. “I don’t want to talk about her right now. Let’s just dance, okay?”

“Okay.” She nodded, smiling when he kissed the side of her head. The music changed and she had to laugh when he swung her around in time to the Culture Club song pouring over the backyard with the moonlight, completely oblivious to the watchful eyes of her parents, who were exchanging wide smiles on the other side of her bedroom window.

----------------------------------------

October, 1989

“Have a good day, Love.”

She looked up from her bowl of cereal as her father leaned down to give her a hug, swallowing quickly so that she could grin at him and kiss his cheek. “You too, Daddy.” Her head tilted as he stood, reaching for the lunchbox on the counter. “Which site are you working today?”

“The new hotel going in on Fourth.” He checked his watch. “And I’m going to be late if I don’t get going.”

“Jenny! Karen and Josh are here!” Her mother’s voice rang from the living room. “Hurry up or you’re going to be late!”

“Guess that makes two of us.” He cast a stern look at his daughter. “Behave yourself today.”

“I will.” She grinned at him again. “You too.”

He laughed and watched as she dumped the milk from her bowl into the sink and ducked into the bathroom, then turned to move to the door.

“I love you, Daddy.”

Stopping in the doorway, he jingled his keys as he looked at her standing there with her toothbrush in her mouth. “I love you too, kiddo.”

She watched him walk out and get into his car before her mother yelled again. “Jennifer!”

“Coming!” She finished up with her teeth, grabbed up her backpack and lunch, and ran to the front door, stopping only to give her mother a quick hug before hurrying out to the van, calling back over her shoulder. “Bye, Mom!”

*********************

Blue eyes moved restlessly around the room, finally settling on staring out the window at the dark sky, the worry rising in him once again. She’d promised to call and let him know what was going on as she’d packed up her stuff to leave class that afternoon. Her face had been puzzled, her confusion over why she was being picked up early from school obvious in her actions.

“It’s probably a dentist appointment or something. I just can’t remember it. I’ll call you when I get home.”

He could still hear the doubt in her voice as she zipped up her backpack and slung it over her shoulder.

But she hadn’t called and he couldn’t focus on the math book in front of him for more than a few seconds at a time, different scenarios flying through his mind every time he tried to work out the equations.

Surely she was okay. He would have heard if she wasn’t. Turning away from the window, he focused back on his math, determined to keep the panic at bay until he had finished the assigned work.

A little while later, he’d just finished up the fifth of the equations when he heard the phone ring, the sound pulling his attention away from his homework. His brow furrowed, his ears straining to hear the tone in his mother’s voice as she spoke.

“Josh!”

His eyes widened at her call and he got to his feet, moving quickly out the door and down the stairs. “Yeah, Mom?”

“Come here, son.”

“Sure.” He followed her voice into the kitchen, his wide eyes narrowing when he saw her posture. “What’s up?”

“Sit down.” She patted the chair next to her, a sad smile on her face. “We need to talk.”

“What’s going on?” Obediently, he sat, his eyes never leaving her face. “Who was on the phone?”

“That was Jenny’s grandmother. Josh … Mr. Lawson passed away today.”

He visibly jerked in shock. “What?

“He was in an accident.” Karen took a deep breath, shaking her head. “At work. The doctors tried their best, but they just couldn’t save him.”

“Jenny …” The words refused to set in, his mind going in a million different directions. “How’s Jenny?”

“She’s upset right now. She’s sad and she’s hurting.”

“I need to go see her.” He stood from the chair. “Can we go, Mom? She’ll … she’ll need me.”

“I don’t know, Josh.” She looked at the clock on the wall. “It’s late. We should probably wait until tomorrow.”

“No.” Serious blue eyes met hers dead on. “Jen needs me now. If you’ll take me, I’ll stay over there tonight.”

“She might end up at her grandmother’s tonight.”

“Then I’ll go with her.” His voice was stubborn. “Mom, I know it’s dark, but she’s just around the block. Or just through the woods. I’ll walk to her if I have to.”

Mother and son stood there, measuring each other until she finally sighed. “Get some clothes together. I’ll call and make sure they’re still at home.” She watched as he practically ran for the door. “What are you going to do about school tomorrow?”

“If she’s not going, then I’ll stay with her.” A dark eyebrow rose when she opened her mouth to protest. “Mom, she’s my best friend. I’m not going to leave her alone right now.” He gave her a smile, then turned to rush out the door and back up the stairs, leaving her staring at his retreating form.

“You can’t tell him that his heart isn’t in the right place, Karen.” Roy spoke up from where he was leaning in the doorway to the kitchen. “At least he’s got his priorities straight.”

“I know. He makes more sense than most adults I know.” She shook her head as she reached for the phone again. “I swear, that boy is thirteen going on thirty.”

Fifteen minutes later, they were pulling up in the Lawson’s driveway. The car hadn’t even come to a complete stop when he opened the door and jumped out, backpack over his shoulder as he walked to the front door, then waited for her to join him. “I don’t want to be the one to knock, Mom.”

His eyes pled with her and she couldn’t help but smile. “It’s okay. I’ll do it.” She put her arm around him before reaching up to knock softly on the wood.

Not more than a minute later, the door was pulled open to reveal an older woman with curled white hair. “Karen. Joshua. Come in, come in.” She closed the door behind them. “Lisa is in the living room, Karen.”

“Hey, Grams.” He stopped to hug her on the way in, watching as his mother walked into the living room and sat beside Jen’s mother on the couch. Lisa looked as though she hadn’t slept in days, her eyes red-rimmed from the tears and her posture slumped in exhaustion. At the moment she was hugging Karen, her shoulders heaving with heartbroken sobs.

“I hear you argued your way over here, young man.” Grams’ voice drew his attention and he looked up to intercept the stern look she was giving him.

“I didn’t argue. She didn’t have to bring me.” He tilted his head as her eyes narrowed on him. “I could’ve walked. This way was just safer.”

The old woman gave a quiet laugh, patting his back. “That’s my boy.”

“Where is she, Grams?” His expression became questioning as he hoisted the backpack higher up on his shoulder. “Where’s Jenny?”

“She’s upstairs in her room.” Before the words were even out of her mouth, he was already moving, taking the stairs two and three at a time.

He blinked, his vision adjusting to the darkness as he walked down the dark hallway, his eyes narrowing when they focused on the thin strip of dim light coming from underneath her bedroom door. Pausing, he took a deep breath before knocking quietly and pushing the door open. “Jen?”

“Hey.” Her voice was watery as his head came through the doorway and she sniffled as she sat up on the bed. “Come on in, Josh.”

He stepped inside the room, dropping his backpack next to the door as his gaze moved over her. One of the bedside lamps was on, providing the only light in the room, illuminating the bed while keeping the corners in shadow. She was sitting cross-legged in the middle of her full-sized bed, shivering despite her sweatshirt, jeans and socks. Her face was tear-stained, her posture defeated, her eyes red-rimmed … an exact replica of the picture Lisa had made sitting on the couch.

“I’m sorry I didn’t call. I just … I couldn’t …” She sniffled again, pulling her knees to her chest and hugging her arms around them.

“No. Don’t worry about that.” Without a second thought, he slipped off his shoes and got on the bed with her, pulling her to him in a tight hug. “I’m so sorry, Jen. So sorry.”

She swallowed hard as she looped her arms around his neck, burying her face in his shoulder. “He’s gone, Josh.” A sob ripped from her throat and she gripped him tighter as the tears began to flow again. “My dad’s gone.”

“I know.” His arms tightened around her, his palms pressing into her quivering back as he hugged her to him. “I know, Jenny. And I’m so sorry.”

Neither said a word for a while. They just sat there, holding each other until the wave of crying was over and she was left sniffling in his arms. She lifted her head, wiping at her eyes. “I’m so tired.” A shaky yawn escaped. “I just want to sleep.”

“Go ahead. I’m not going anywhere.”

“I … I can’t.” She whispered. “I’m scared.”

“Scared?” He tilted his head, studying her. “Scared of what?”

“If … if I fall asleep … what if I forget him?” Her eyes welled up again, but only two tears escaped, one running down each cheek. “I don’t want to forget him, Josh.”

“You won’t forget him, Jenny.” His hands came up, his fingers brushing her hair away from the wet spots on her face. “I promise. You have so many memories of him that it would be impossible for you to forget.”

She leaned forward, her forehead resting on his shoulder as she took another shaky breath. “But what if …”

“If you feel like he’s starting to slip away, then come to me and we’ll talk about him.” He tightened his arms around her again, rocking back and forth to help her relax. “We’ll pull out the old photo albums and tell stories of everything that we did with him. You can tell me about things he did with you, things that only you know and maybe I can tell you some things you don’t know.”

“I know everything about Daddy. Everything he said, everything he did …” Her voice grew soft as she began to drift off. “He never kept anything from me.”

“Maybe you’re right. Maybe he did. But maybe I know a thing or two that you don’t.” He spoke softly and continued to rock, knowing she wouldn’t be awake much longer. “There are so many things you can do to remember, Jen. Dreaming … dreaming is one of them. He’ll live forever in your dreams.”

Her breathing had grown deep, her arms loosening their hold on him, and he knew she’d fallen asleep. Twisting, he pulled her arms from around his neck, slowly laying her down so that she wouldn’t awaken. He backed away from her and off the bed, moving around to turn off the lamp, shrouding the room in darkness before settling himself back on the oversized comforter.

He heard her give a quiet whimper, turning on her side and curling into herself as she slept. Carefully, he moved so that he was right behind her, spooning her, his fingers lacing through hers as he tried to comfort her in the only way he knew how. She sobbed quietly, her body tensing against him, and he tightened his hold on her once again.

“It’s okay, Jenny. I’m here.”

The words were whispered to her, his fingers tightening on hers, and she sighed, relaxing back against him.

He blinked in the darkness, biting his lip as he tried to imagine being in her position. Just the thought made him choke up a little bit and he had to fight back his own tears. Shaking his head, he released her hand just long enough to pull the comforter around so that they were cocooned in its softness. Then he took her hand again, stretching up to kiss her cheek before settling down behind her, resting his head on her pillow.

“I’m trusting you to take care of her, Joshua. She’s the only Jenny I’m ever going to have.”

Mr. Lawson’s words rang through his head, a warning he’d received years ago, when she’d gotten hurt attempting a bike trick he’d dared her to do.

“She won’t get hurt again. I promise, Mr. Lawson. I won’t let anyone hurt her.”

As he lay there, listening to her shaky breathing as she slept, that promise took on an all new meaning. He bit his lip as she instinctively snuggled back into his chest, sighing softly as her breathing grew less shaky. His head tilted forward until his forehead rested against the soft hair on the back of her head.

“I’ll always be here, Jenny. No matter what.”

Chapter Two by Renee

 

July, 1990 

She looked down at the book, then concentrated on her fingers, trying to position them just right on the strings.

A few seconds later her fingertips were burning from pressing down so hard, but when she strummed, she was rewarded with a rich chord that resonated from the wooden chamber.

 

“Cool.”

 

Her grin grew wider as she pieced together her work from the last hour, shifting her fingers from one position to the next while she strummed, stringing together the combination of chords in the melody as it was written in the book beside her.

 

She hummed along quietly as she played it again, her hair falling into her eyes as she leaned over to see the strings she was pressing down, completely oblivious to the shadow moving toward her house.

 

“Hey, that’s awesome, Boof.”

 

Keeping her attention on the strings, she shook her head and laughed.  “You’re seriously gonna start calling me that?”

 

“Yeah.”  His tone was light, and she could hear his grin as he continued.  “Why not?  You love that movie.”

 

“The movie’s great, but the name . . . it’s kinda stupid, don’t you think?”

 

“Nope.  Besides, you could be Boof, so it works.”  He watched as she continued to strum, then plopped down on the steps next to her, smiling as he looked over the instrument in her lap.  “Where’d you get the guitar?”

 

“I found it in the attic.  It was Dad’s.”  She looked up, shaking back the brown hair around her face with a growl.  “I need a haircut.”

 

“Or a rubber band.  Turn your head.”  His hands came to the back of her head when she obeyed, his fingers combing her hair into a ponytail before securing it with the band from his wrist.  “I didn’t know your dad played.”

 

“He didn’t.  He bought it and wanted to take lessons, but he never got around to it.”  The playful tug on her hair told her that he was done and she turned back to grin at him.  “Thanks.”

 

“No problem.”  His eyes came to the redness of her fingertips and he winced before reaching out to pick up the book.  “How long have you been sitting out here?”

 

“A little over an hour.  Not too long.”  Pain shot through her index finger and she brought it up to put it in her mouth, hoping that the moisture would soothe the dry, cracked skin.

 

“It’s only been an hour and you’re already halfway through the beginner’s book?”  He arched an eyebrow at her as he turned the pages.

 

“Well, yeah.  Most of it is remembering the finger positions for the chords.  It’s not that hard until you start putting them together.”

 

“No kidding.”  The pages moved quickly as he flipped through them.  “Are you gonna take lessons?”

 

“I don’t think so.”  Her fingers strummed over the strings once again.

 

“No?”  His head jerked up at her tone.  “Why not?”

 

“Mom’s pretty tapped out by the piano lessons, Josh.  I can’t ask her to let me do anything else.”

 

“So drop the piano for a while.”

 

“I can’t really do that, either.  I begged for those lessons.  And I like to play . . .”

 

“I’m not saying to quit the piano, period.”  He tilted his head as he thought about it.  “You’re at an advanced level on the keys.  Maybe you could do some practicing on your own to keep that stuff fresh while you work on the guitar for right now.”  The sun reflected off the polished wood in her lap, making him squint.  “Just think how awesome it would be to learn to play on your dad’s guitar.”

 

She was silent for a few minutes, strumming quietly as she thought over what he’d said.  Finally, she looked back up at him.  “I think you’re right.  I love the keys and I can keep them up on my own for a few months.”  Her smile faded as she remembered.  “But the guitar lessons are more expensive than the piano lessons.  How do I get around that?”

 

He grinned at her.  “Easy.  Mom’s been after me to start taking lessons.  If you’ll teach me, I’m sure we can work something out.”

 

“You’d do that for me?”

 

“Well, yeah.  I want to learn, anyway, so it’s not like I’m getting the short end of the stick here.”  His shoulder bumped against hers.  “Plus I’ll get to spend more time with the coolest girl I know.”

 

She laughed.  “You have no idea what kind of teacher I’ll be, Josh.  What if it doesn’t work?”

 

“It’ll work.  I’ve seen you in action.”  He saw her doubtful expression and sent her a wink.  “Come on, Jen.  You could teach me to play piano with your eyes closed.  You need to concentrate on the guitar for a while.”  He laughed.  “Besides, you’re the only one I know who has the patience to put up with me.”

 

“That’s true . . .”  Her sentence trailed off as she arched an eyebrow playfully.  “Okay.  Let’s talk to your mom first to see what she thinks, then we’ll talk with mine.”

 

“Great.  This is gonna work, Jen.  I promise.”

 

“Whatever you say.”  She strummed once more before looking up again.  “Hey . . . since when am I the coolest girl you know?  What happened to Amanda?”

 

“Eh, you know how it is.”  He shrugged flippantly before leaning back on his elbows to stare at the sky.  “She got over it and so did I.  We’re starting classes over at the high school soon, anyway . . . if it hadn’t ended now, it would’ve ended then.”

 

“I’m sorry.  I know you liked her.”

 

“I’m not.  Like I said, better now than later.”  He snickered.  “Besides, my ‘coolness’ factor dropped a few notches when I told her off last week.”

 

She put down the guitar and turned so that she could look directly at him.  “You told her off?  Why?”

 

His eyes slid closed as he relaxed.  “She . . . uh, she didn’t like that I hung around certain people.”

 

“Certain people?”  Her brow furrowed.  “Me?”

 

“Yeah.”  He sighed.  “She thought I spent too much time with you and not enough with her.”

 

“And she’s right.  You can’t expect . . .”

 

His eyes opened to see her uneasy expression.  “Don’t even think of saying it.  You’ve been my best friend since first grade and I’m not trading you in.  Not now or a year from now.”  When she still gave him a doubtful look, he shook his head.  “No girl, no matter who she is, is going to come between us.  Ever.  I promise.  Got it?”

 

“Josh, you can’t promise me . . .”

 

“I can and I will.”  His eyes locked with hers.  “I won’t let it happen, Jen.  Got it?”

 

“Y-yeah.  Yeah, I get it.”

 

“Good.”

 

They were silent for a few minutes before she finally spoke again.  “I wish you hadn’t . . .”

 

“Just let it go.”  He sighed.  “It’s over and done with.”

 

“Well, I’m still sorry you felt you had to do that.”  She gave him a small smile.  “But even you have to admit that things are gonna have to change sometime.  I mean . . . we’re growing up, Josh.  Starting high school.  It’s kind of obvious that we’ll both start to date.  And to tell you the truth, I can’t say that I would’ve acted any differently than Amanda if I was in her shoes.”

 

“That’s stupid.  Our friendship shouldn’t have to change just because of a girl . . . or a guy.”

 

“Maybe it shouldn’t.  But . . .”

 

“I really don’t think we need to talk about this right now.”  He shifted into a more comfortable position.  “We’re not even fourteen yet, Boof.  Let’s worry about this later, when it’s an issue.  Okay?”

 

“Okay, but we’ll have to talk it out sometime.”  Her eyes moved over him and she couldn’t help but wonder if they ever would talk about it.  “Promise?”

 

“Yeah, I promise.  Just not right now.”

 

“Okay.”  She grinned as she stared across the front yard.  “Your ‘coolness’ factor dropped, huh?”

 

“You could say that.”  He smiled.  “I’m not tops on her list, anyway.”

 

“Well, if it helps . . . you’ll always be the coolest guy I know.”

 

Sitting up quickly, he hugged her, his grin lifting his voice as he threatened playfully.  “I’d better be.”

 

----------------------------------------


February, 1991

 


“I bet you couldn’t.”

 

“I bet I could.”

 

“No way.  You’d freeze up on the spot.”

 

“That’s what you think.”

 

“Put your money where your mouth is.”

 

“Fine.  How much?”

 

“Forty bucks says that you freeze under the pressure.”

 

“Fifty says that I make the cut.”

 

“Brave man, raising the stakes.  You sure about that?”

 

“Positive.”

 

“Great.  When are the auditions?”

 

“The fifteenth of next month.”

 

“I’ll clear my calendar.”

 

“Clear your calendar of what?  Hot date?”

 

“Shut up, Josh.”

 

*********************

 

“I can’t believe they picked you!”

 

“Kind of excited, aren’t you?”

 

“Not as excited as you should be.  This is great!”

 

“I have to move to Florida, Jen.  For part of the year, anyway.”

 

“I know.”  There was a momentary silence on the line.  “I’ll miss you.”

 

“You’d better.  This is all your fault, you know.”

 

My fault?  How is this my fault?”

 

“You shouldn’t have tried to bruise my ego.”

 

“Ha.  What ego?”

 

“Ouch.  That hurt.”

 

“Poor baby.  You can’t tell me you aren’t excited about this.”

 

“Are you kidding?  I’m ecstatic!  I’m going to be on TV!”

 

“Right on!  I’ll make sure to tape every episode, so I can’t miss it.”

 

“Since when do you watch the Disney Channel?”

 

“Since now.  Who knows?  I might capture some valuable black mail material.”

 

“Very funny.  Hey, Boof?”

 

“What?”

 

“Pay up.”

 

A growl carried over the line right before she slammed the phone down and he couldn’t help but laugh.

 

----------------------------------------


May, 1991
 


“Jennifer!  Thank God you’re here!”

 

Jen froze in her tracks halfway across the Chasez’ front hallway.  “Um . . . hi, Aunt Karen.  What’s up?”

 

“He’s packing.  That’s what’s up.”  The woman pointed to the stairs.  “Go up there and straighten him out.”

 

“You want me to straighten him out?”  A brown eyebrow arched sharply.  “What’d he do?”

 

“It’s not what he did, it’s what he’s doing.”  Karen took a deep breath.  “He’s throwing everything all over the place and I really don’t think he knows what he wants to take with him and what he can leave . . . I can’t take it anymore!”

 

“So he’s just being the Josh we all know and love, huh?”

 

“The boy is driving me insane!”

 

Jen fought back the smile that was twitching at her lips.  “He hasn’t taken Heather or Tyler hostage and tried to pack them, has he?  This isn’t a rescue mission?”

 

“You’re rescuing me.”  Karen pushed her toward the stairs gently.  “Just wait until you see his room.  He needs you up there.  I need you to go up there.  Please . . . fix this, Jennifer.”

 

“Okay, okay.  I’ll see what I can do.”  Shaking her head, she ran up the stairs and down the hall until she was standing outside his bedroom.

 

At least, she thought it was his bedroom.  There were clothes, shoes, books, cassettes, videos and half empty suitcases covering every surface, leaving a small trail that led from the door to the closet and then to the bed.  The drawers in his dresser, desk and nightstand were all pulled open, some empty while others had their contents spilling over and onto the floor.  The items that had actually made it into the luggage weren’t in any order at all, just piled there as if he was waiting for someone to come behind him and make it work.

 

“Oh, my God . . .”  Her voice was soft with wonder as she looked around the room once again.  She couldn’t see him in the mess, but when a jacket flew from the closet onto the bed, she couldn’t help but smile as she stepped carefully into the room.  “I think you’re getting more on the floor than you’re getting packed, Josh.”

 

His head poked out of the closet and he gave her a quick grin.  “Hey!  When’d you get here?”

 

“About five minutes ago.”  Her eyes widened even further when she saw all the empty hangers still on the bar above his head.  “And I think I’m right on time.”

 

He’d already turned away, ducking back through the doorway to find . . . something.  “What?”

 

“Never mind.”  She just stood there for a few minutes, trying to figure out where to start first.  “Hey Josh?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Can you think of any reason why your mom was ready to kiss my feet when I walked in the front door?”

 

“She’s been trying to help me get this finished since eight this morning.  She finally gave up about twenty minutes ago.”  His upper torso leaned out of his closet as he passed her a stack of jeans and shorts.  “Could you put these in the suitcase on the bed?  I think that should finish up that one.”

 

“Why do I have to be the one to help you with this?”  She set the stack down on top of the piles of clothing already in the case, her eyes widening when she saw how it overflowed.

 

“Because you know I’ll be your best friend forever if you do.”

 

“You’d better be my best friend forever even if I didn’t.”

 

“Okay, you’ve got me, but you know you want to help me.”  He dropped down on his knees and rummaged around in the floor of the closet for a few seconds.  “Where are my black shoes?”

 

“You mean the ones by your feet?”  She watched as he snatched up the sneakers and put them right next to the closet door, then turned back to the mess on his bed.  “You’ll be back for a visit in a few months, right?”

 

“Yeah.”  His voice was muffled by the wall.

 

“Then why are you getting so freakish about this?”

 

“I’m not getting freakish.”

 

“Yeah, okay.”  She looked around at the disaster area his room had become and had to laugh.  “You might not be, but your mom is going to hit the roof when she sees this room.”

 

“Trust me, she’s seen it.  That’s why she’s so worked up.”

 

“She’s worked up?  Your mom?”  Her voice was laced with mock disbelief.  “No way.”

 

“Just get that suitcase closed, okay?”

 

“Yes, sir.”  With a sigh, she maneuvered the clothes until they were packed as tightly as she could get them, but the zipper wouldn’t budge.  She climbed up and sat on top of the case, leaning over to try and work the zipper along the track, but it still refused to move.  “Good Lord, Josh.  Are you afraid you won’t be able to do laundry down there?”

 

“No, I just want to make sure that I have options.”  He walked out of the closet carrying four different pairs of shoes.  “You never know what’s going to come up.”

 

“So you’re just taking everything you own?”  She climbed off the bed and lifted the case open again, her eyes narrowing at the messy pile inside.

 

The shoes landed in a heap on the other side of the bed.  “I’m not taking everything.”

 

“Oh, that’s right.  I forgot that you were leaving the tuxedo you wore in your cousin’s wedding four years ago.”  Her sarcasm was thick as she dug through the fabrics in the case.  “What all do you have in here?”

 

“The stuff I think I’ll need.”  He watched her for a second.  “What are you doing?”

 

“ . . . eight, nine, ten . . . You’re taking ten sweatshirts?  Josh, it’s the middle of summer and you’re going to be in Florida.  You won’t need ten sweatshirts between tomorrow and when you come home for that long weekend in September.  Especially since they’ll be running you through their wardrobe people for whatever you wear on the show.”  She pulled out the stack of thick shirts and passed them over to him.  “I’d think that three or four would be plenty.  Pick out your favorites and set them right here.”

 

Taking the stack of shirts, he eyed her warily as she walked around the bed to where he’d piled some other stuff to go through and pushed it all off the comforter and onto the floor.  “Are you crazy?  What are you doing?”

 

“Forget about everything but your clothes for right now.  They’ll take the longest, but it’ll give you a better idea of what else you’ll have room to take with you, and it’ll go faster if you take it one suitcase at a time.”  She arched an eyebrow at him and pointed at the shirts he was still holding.  “Are you finished with those yet?”

 

Thirty minutes later, the suitcase was repacked tightly and neatly, and everything that he’d decided to leave behind had been either put back in the dresser or hung in the closet, clearing up much of the floor.  She smiled in satisfaction as the zipper moved around, securing the case easily.  “And we didn’t even have to sit on it.  See?  That wasn’t so hard, was it?”

 

He looked doubtfully around the room.  “There’s still an awful lot that didn’t fit.”

 

“That’s what the other four cases are for.  Help me get this to the hall.”  Together, they pulled the case from the bed and lugged it out into the hallway.  “This one has most of your shirts and all of your jackets, shorts, pajamas, socks and underwear.  By the time we get finished, you’ll have enough there so that you won’t wear the same thing twice in two weeks and you’ll have some nicer stuff for if you go out.”

 

His arm tightened around her shoulders and he gave her a quick kiss on the cheek before he turned and went back into the room, picking up a few sweaters to hang in the closet on his way through.  “You’re a lifesaver, Jen.”

 

She looked down at the case in the hallway, biting her lip when she felt a heavy weight settling around her heart at the evidence that he was really leaving.  This time tomorrow, he’d be on a plane heading for the land of Mickey Mouse and beaches . . . leaving her behind.  Her eyes moved over to the empty suitcase lying next to his bed, wishing that she could fold herself up into it and go with him.

 

Blinking back the sudden sting of tears, she took a deep breath and walked into the room, picking up the case she’d been looking at and putting it on the bed.

 

“Boof?  Are you okay?” 


Her head jerked up and she found him looking at her, his eyes narrowed in concern.  Clearing her throat quickly, she forced a smile and reached for the pairs of shoes lying next to her feet.  “Yeah.  I’m fine.  Let’s get this one finished and that should be it for your clothes.”

 

They worked quietly for a few minutes, the case filling up quickly.  “There’s a few pictures I want to take.  Let’s put them between some of the shirts so they won’t get broken.”  He moved to the dresser and picked up three frames before walking back to the bed, where he began passing the remaining clothing to her, watching as she arranged everything so that it would fit.  “I think that’s all for that one.”  He eyed the case critically.

 

“O-okay.”  She’d kept herself together as she situated first the shoes, then the belts, jeans and dress pants, but when he handed her three of his flannel button-down shirts . . . she paused to pick up the shirt on the top of the stack. 

 

Her fingers ran over the soft fabric of the blue and green checkered shirt . . . his favorite.  She was always forgetting a jacket and he’d always been quick to give her whatever extra shirt he had with him.  More often than not, it was this one.  It was oversized on him – huge on her – and comfortable, it smelled of him even when it had just been washed and it was always warm, as if he’d just taken it off.

 

The sobs built in her chest and she tore her eyes away from the material, forcing herself to look at something else . . . anything else.  Unfortunately, her gaze landed on the pictures he’d laid out for her to pack and she had to swallow hard, trying to force down the lump that had formed in her throat.

 

He’d picked out the portrait of his family, of course, but the other two frames were what made her want to cry.

 

The first was an older picture of the two of them on the playground of their elementary school.  They’d been sitting on the swings, in the exact same spot where they’d met, and while she couldn’t remember exactly what it was that he’d said, he’d put her in hysterics.  She was on the left side of the photo, her head tilted back as she laughed, while he sat on the swing next to her, smiling as he watched her.

 

The second was, again, of the two of them, this one from their eighth grade graduation.  They were standing together, his arm around her shoulders and hers around his waist, their smiles happy as they posed for the picture next to the gym.  The ceremony itself had been long, boring and totally unnecessary, but she was glad that it had given them an opportunity to make a memory of another milestone in their lives.  That transition from grade school to high school had been an awkward thing to go through, but they’d worked it out.

 

Together.

 

For as long as she could remember, it’d been that way.  They’d worked together, been a team . . . attached at the hip, as her mother would say.  They’d watched each other’s back, stood up for each other . . . and, while they each had other friends that they talked and hung out with, there wasn’t another person on the planet that she trusted as much as she trusted him.  She knew that she could go to him about anything and that he’d not only keep it to himself, but he would understand what she was saying.

 

Her mother had always told her that they’d probably be split up after they graduated high school, had warned that they needed to branch out and make new friends, so they’d be able to do it when they were separated at different universities.  As immature as it may be, she’d always just assumed that they’d go to the same college.  They’d stuck by each other this far, why couldn’t they stick together then?

 

But now . . . here she was, helping him get packed to move nearly a thousand miles away.

 

They weren’t even fifteen yet, let alone old enough for college, and he was already leaving her.  It didn’t matter that he’d be coming back fairly often, hopping a plane whenever the show took a break for a few days or even the weeks between seasons, when the network would air reruns . . . her mind could accept that, but her heart felt as though it were being torn in half, as if she were packing up a part of herself and sending it away.

 

Her eyes came back to the shirt in her hands and she felt the tears welling up again.

 

Clearing her throat, she finally found her voice.  “Josh?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

His voice was closer than she’d expected and she turned to find him next to her, his eyes moving up from the photos on the comforter to meet hers.  “I . . . I know it’s your favorite . . . and it’s okay if you say no . . .”  She swallowed hard as the moisture in her eyes came closer to spilling over.  “Can I keep this?”

 

The first tear ran down her cheek and he wrapped his arms around her, hugging her tightly.  “It’s yours.  Anything you want, just name it and it’s yours.”  He could feel her shaky breathing and wasn’t surprised when the shirt was dropped to the ground, her arms going around his neck as she sobbed into his shoulder.

 

There was a sound in the doorway and he looked up to find his mother standing there, concern etched across her features.  “Is she okay?” was mouthed silently.

 

He nodded as he felt his own tears threatening, watching her walk back down the hall before closing his eyes and leaning down until his forehead rested against the girl’s trembling shoulder.  “It’ll be all right, Jenny.  I promise.”  His voice was weak, the first of his tears falling to soak into her shirt.

 

“You’re leaving.”  Her hold tightened desperately, her voice hoarse.

 

“I know.”  He raised his head, taking a deep breath.  “I wish I could take you with me, but I can’t.”

 

They stood there silently for a while, holding each other as they let the tears run out.  Finally she pulled away from him, her fingers rubbing the moisture from her cheeks.  “Sorry.  I kinda lost it there, didn’t I?”

 

“It’s okay.  I was right there with you.”  He bent down, picking up the shirt and shaking it out.  “Turn around.”  When she obeyed, he draped the shirt over her shoulders, smiling slightly when he saw how the fabric hung loosely around her.  His hands gripped her shoulders gently as he turned her back around to face him.  “If you start missing me, just . . . just wear this, okay?  It’ll be like I’m right here giving you a hug.  I know it’s not exactly the same thing, but it’s the best I can do.”

 

“I know.”  She nodded, putting her arms through the sleeves.  “This . . . it’s not easy, you know?  I don’t want you to go, but I know that you’d be a complete idiot to pass this up and I’d kill you if you did, but I just needed to get it off my chest and you know how I hate all that clingy, girly, mushy crap, but still . . .”

 

“It’s gonna be rough in the beginning, but I’ll be on the phone with you as much as I’m able.”  He cut off her rambling.  “I’ll be home at least once a month during taping then for the weeks between seasons.  We can hang out and be normal then.”

 

“It just . . . it’s not gonna be the same.”

 

“I know it’ll be different for us, but that doesn’t mean that everything has to change.”  He sat down on the bed and pulled on her arm until she was sitting next to him.  “We’ll be as close as always, I just won’t be right here with you.”  A small grin lifted his features.  “At least you’ll be able to see me pretty much everyday, right?”

 

“Well . . . yeah.”

 

“Between the TV, phone and the time I’ll get to be home, you won’t even have a chance to miss me.”

 

“Don’t be so sure about that, Josh.”  She looked down, pushing the sleeves of his shirt up until her hands were free of the fabric.  “I’d miss you just as much if your face wasn’t going to be plastered across my TV on weekday afternoons.”  Her fingers played with the bracelet circling her wrist, her gaze zeroing in on the medium sized dark metal beads and an idea popped in her head.  “Take this with you.”

 

“Wait a second.”  His eyes widened when he saw her unclasping the bracelet.  “Jen, your Dad gave you that bracelet.”

 

“Right.  Just like yours gave you this shirt.”

 

“It’s not the same and you know it.  Shirts like that one are all over the place.  If something happens to it, I can always get another one.  You can’t get another bracelet and say that it was your Dad’s.” 

 

“Josh . . .”  Her eyes narrowed as she concentrated on latching the beads around his left wrist.  “I haven’t taken this off since he died.  It’s important to me.  Just like you are.”  The bracelet clicked into place and she turned it so that the clasp was at the base of his palm.  “It’s a little loose, but I think it’s a perfect fit.”  She tilted her head, a small smile curving her lips.  “It looks good on you.”

 

“Jen . . .”

 

“I wouldn’t trust anyone else with it.”  She turned her eyes up to meet his.  “Wear it.  Take care of it for me.  And no matter what comes out of this whole Club thing – if you become famous and go off to be in the movies and on the radio, or if you just end up coming back here to Bowie – then you’ll know that you’ve always got a fan in me.”

 

He sat there quietly, staring down at his wrist, his eyes moving carefully over the beaded chain.  “You’re sure?”

 

“Positive.”

 

The tone of her voice was sad, drawing his gaze back up to her.  “Okay.”  He leaned over until his shoulder nudged hers.  “How about a smile, then?”

 

“A smile?”

 

“Yeah.  Come onnnnn . . .”  His fingers tickled her side as he cajoled her.  “Give me that Jenny smile that always makes my day.”

 

She cringed away from his fingers, trying her best to keep a straight face.  “Why should I smile?”

 

“Because I’m not doing too good of a job if my number one fan is all sad.”  He tickled her again.  “I’m supposed to be entertaining, not depressing.”

 

Twisting to get away from him, she slipped off the bed and fell flat on the floor, screaming when he followed her down.  She rolled, desperate to crawl away from him, but he caught her, expertly flipping her over on her back and pinning her down.  Her hands pushed against his shoulders, sending him toppling to the side and giving her room to escape, but she was laughing too hard to get very far before he caught her again.

 

Back and forth they fought, until they were finally lying flat on their backs, gasping for breath and just too worn out from laughter to get up.

 

He looked over to catch her wiping her eyes and grinning up at the ceiling, her chest heaving as she tried to calm down.  “Ah.  There it is.”

 

The smile disappeared immediately and brown eyes shifted over to him, their brightness betraying her efforts to keep the corners of her mouth from raising again.  “Yeah, okay.  You win.”

 

Standing up, he offered her a hand, waiting until his fingers were securely around hers before pulling her up next to him.  “Feeling better?”

 

“Yeah.”  She nodded, turning her hand so that she could give his fingers a squeeze.  “Like you said, it’ll be okay.”

 

“It will be.”  He hugged her once again, his cheek resting on the side of her head.  “I’m gonna miss you, too, Boof.”

 

She pulled back, an eyebrow raised as she stared at him seriously.  “You’d better miss me.”  The battle was lost, the grin reappearing as she punched him on the shoulder gently.  “Just don’t let those Florida girls make you forget the little people back home, okay?”

 

His eyes moved over her, from the top of her head, over her bright smile, then on down her confident stance to her crossed arms and finally to the toes of her shoes, peeking out from under the baggy legs of her jeans.  He finished his perusal, bringing his gaze up to take in the full picture of her standing there, swallowed whole by his favorite shirt, and couldn’t keep from grinning.

 

“Are you kidding?”  He laughed as he moved past her, reaching up to tug on her hair playfully.  “Why would I want a Florida girl when I already have you?”

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter Three by Renee

August, 1992

 

She chewed on her lip, staring down at the sheet music in front of her with concentration before leaning forward to make a few notes in the margin of the page.  Taking a deep breath, she leaned back against her pillows, trying to relax before taking it again from the top.

 

Her patience was wearing thin, frustration setting in as she battled to get the sound required for the assigned piece.  She closed her eyes, running through the strum patterns and chord changes in her mind before sitting up, resting the guitar on her crossed legs.  Putting the pencil between her teeth, she bit into the wood as her fingers strummed quickly, finding the correct rhythm at last.

 

Three minutes later, she’d spit the pencil out, her eyes narrowing as she played it through two more times, grinning when she was satisfied with both turns.

“Yes!” 

The guitar was placed safely on the comforter before she leaped off the bed, both arms raised above her head as she did a quick victory dance around the room.  She slammed into the wall in mid-turn and sent herself sprawling to the floor, knocking her head against the dresser as she went down.  Her groan echoed off the walls as she shook her head, blinking quickly to get the room to stop spinning.

 

The phone on her desk began to ring and she tried to sit up, thinking better of it when her head spun again.  Twisting around, she crawled across the room, reaching up blindly until she finally pulled the handset away from the cradle and to her ear.  The room spun once more, wobbling in front of her as she sat with her back against her nightstand. 

 

“Oh, God.”  She realized that she was speaking into the phone and quickly corrected herself.  “I mean . . . hello?”

 

There was a silence on the other end before an unsure male voice came over the line.  “Uh, hi.  Is . . . is this the Lawson residence?”

 

“Um, yeah.”

 

“Oh, good.  For a second I thought I’d dialed the wrong number.”  He cleared his throat.  “Is Jennifer there?”

 

“You’ve got her.”  Her fingers massaged the sore spot just behind her temple.  “Good Lord, that hurts.”

 

There was a strange choking sound on the other end, but she was too distracted to care that he was laughing at her.  “As much as I’d love to know what you’re talking about, I’m going to steer far away from it.”

 

“Sorry.  I hit my head on the dresser when I fell.”

 

“Ouch.  Are you okay?”

 

“I think so.  I’m just seeing all kinds of spots.”  She blinked slowly.  “And the room keeps spinning.”

 

“Okay.”  His tone was bewildered.  “What exactly were you doing when you fell?”

 

“A happy dance.”

 

“A . . . a happy dance?”

 

“Yeah.  But I hit the wall.”  Her mind slowly focused.  “Wait, wait, wait.  Who is this?”

 

“Tony.”

 

“Tony?”  She closed her eyes and rested her forehead against her knees, trying to place the name but drawing a blank.  “Okay, Tony.  My brain’s pretty much soup right now, so you’re going to have to help me out here.  Do I even know a Tony?”

 

“Well, I guess you do.  Kind of.  By association.”  It was obvious that he was trying not to laugh.  “Tony Lucca.”

 

“Lucca . . .”  After a second, it finally clicked.  “Oh, right!  Tony Lucca.  You’re in the Club with Josh.”

 

“Yeah.”  He was silent for a second.  “Wait.  You’re a friend of Josh’s?”

 

“What?”  Her brow wrinkled in confusion.

 

“You know Josh?”

 

“Of course I know Josh.  He’s like my brother.”

 

“He’s like your brother?”

 

“Well, yeah.  The last time I checked, he was.”  She pulled the phone away, staring at it in frustration before moving it back up to her ear.  “I’ve known him for as long as I can remember.”

 

“Hang on, I think I might have the wrong number after all.”  His voice became muffled, evidence that he was speaking to someone else in the room with him.  “This is Jen, Chasez’s friend, right?”

 

“Right.  Jen would be me.”  Her head shook back and forth in irritation as she groaned.  “As if that made any sense.”

 

“Okay, great.”  Quiet laughter carried over the line.  “So you’re not some friend of Ackerman’s?”

 

“Ackerman?  Who’s . . . ”  Her voice trailed off as it finally made sense.  “Oh, I get it.  You’re talking about the other Josh.”

 

“Other Josh?”  She could hear his confusion.  “Do we have more than one?”

 

“Crap, I keep forgetting that you guys call him JC.  My Josh is your JC.”  A sigh escaped.  “Can we just start this whole conversation over?”

 

“Nope, sorry.  I think we’re on the right track now, anyway.”  His smile carried on his voice.  “You’re JC’s friend Jen and I’m JC’s friend Tony.  If that’s straight, then we’re good.” 

 

“Okayyy . . .”  She drew the word out, giving herself a second to gather her thoughts.  “So, Tony Lucca who’s in the Club with JC . . .”

 

“Yes?”

 

“What can I do for you?”

 

“Oh, that’s right.  I actually had a reason for calling.”

 

His flustered tone brought a smile to her face.  “You did?  And here I thought you just wanted to hear a random girl make a complete idiot of herself.”  He laughed again and she decided that she liked the sound.  “And that reason would be . . . what, exactly?”

 

“Well, you know his birthday’s coming up this weekend.”

 

“Right.  Sunday.”

 

“We were gonna throw him a party after the show on Friday.  Make it a surprise and all that.”

 

“Ahh.  Cool.”  She pushed herself up from the floor, carefully settling down in her desk chair.  “He’ll appreciate that.  Just . . . if you get a cake, make sure it’s chocolate.  It’s kind of a tradition with him.”

 

“Really?”  His surprise was obvious.  “Well, I guess that would explain the cupcake thing from last year.”

 

“Cupcake thing?”

 

“Yeah.  He went out and got one of those Hostess cupcakes . . . wait, we’re getting off track again.”  He cleared his throat.  “Where were we?”

 

“Birthday party.  Friday after the show.  I suggest a chocolate cake.”  Her elbow propped on the desktop, her forehead dropping into her hand as she tried not to laugh out loud.  “Do you need a gift idea or something?”

 

“Actually, no.  We’ve already thought of the perfect present, but we need your help to pull it off.”

 

“Okay.”

 

“When do you go back to school?”

 

Her eyes moved over to the calendar.  “Like the 18th or something.  Not for a few weeks.”

 

“Great.”

 

“Tony . . . spit it out.  What do you need me to do?”

 

“Could you fly down here for the weekend?”

 

She stared down at the desk, thinking she must have heard him wrong.  “You’ll have to run that by me again.  You want me to what?”

 

“Fly down here for the weekend.”  Her mouth opened, ready to tell him how crazy that was, but he barreled on before she could make a sound.  “I know it’s short notice, but the older cast members have pooled our money together . . . we have enough for a round trip ticket from Maryland to Florida.  I’ve checked it out, and we could get you on an early flight Friday morning, so that you’d be here for the show that afternoon.”

 

“Are you serious?”

 

“Yeah.  You know that he hates spending his birthday here, when his family’s up there.  Usually his dad is here, but he’ll be leaving out Wednesday for some kind of training deal he has to do in Chicago.  He won’t be back until next week.  Like, Wednesday or Thursday.  JC’s going to be stuck here by himself and . . . well, that kind of sucks.  We want to surprise him by having you here to celebrate with him this year.”

 

“That’s . . . that’s really nice of you guys.”  Her teeth worked on her lip.  “You know that’s too much for a birthday present, right?”

 

“This is going to be birthday and Christmas rolled up into one.”

 

She fell silent as she thought about it.  “Round trip.  How many days are we talking about?”

 

“Well, I figured it’d be better to check with you first.  You can go back anytime you want, but I need to have an idea of how long you’ll be here before I book the flights.”  Pages began rustling on his end of the line.  “You could just stay for the weekend or you could hang around for a few days.  No matter when you leave, it won’t affect the price.”

 

“Okay.”

 

“Well, what do you think?  Can you make it?”

 

“God, I’d love to fly down there and see him.”  Her fingers combed through her hair.  “I’ll have to talk it over with my mom, but I think it’s possible.”  The sound of the front door opening carried up the stairs and she turned to look out into the hall.  “Listen, can I call you back in about an hour?”

 

“Sure.”

 

“What’s the number?”  She grabbed a pen and scribbled as he rattled off the digits to her.  “All right, Tony.  I’m going to be as persuasive as I can and try to work something out.  I’ll let you know in a bit, okay?”

 

“Okay.  Good luck.”

 

“Thanks.”

 

She reached over to hang up the phone, then stood and stretched.  Moving quickly over to the dresser, she stared at herself in the mirror, practicing the hopeful look that always got her what she wanted.  “Okay, here we go.  Josh.  Florida.”  She turned to walk out of the room, talking softly to herself.  “Going to Florida for his birthday.”  A smile crossed her face.  “If that’s not motivation, I don’t know what is.”

 

*********************

 

Friday

 

Her eyes moved around the crowd at the gate, wondering how she was supposed to recognize anyone.  Someone bumped into her from behind, pushing her to the side, and she stepped back, moving to lean against the wall and continue her perusal of the faces.

 

It took a few minutes, but she finally focused on a younger guy holding a little sign that had her name on it.  Sighing in relief, she slung her duffel over her shoulder and pushed her way through the crowd toward him.

 

“Hi.  I think you’re looking for me.”

 

He turned to face her, his eyes widening as he got a good look at her.  “Whoa.  Um . . . you’re Jen?”

 

“In the flesh.”  She noticed how his eyes moved over her again and gave him a tentative smile.  “And you are?”

 

“Oh . . . right.”  Shaking his head, he extended a hand for her to shake.  “Tony.”

“Ah . . . the infamous Tony.”  Her laugh carried over the terminal noises.  “You’d think I’d recognize you from watching the show.”  She paused when he gave her yet another look over.  “So . . . do I look like the crack head you pictured?” 

“No.  Definitely not.  Far from it.”  He cleared his throat, reaching out to take her bag.  “Actually, I’ve seen a few pictures of you . . . but you’re not exactly the same, are you?”

 

“I’ve grown up a little since eighth grade.”

 

“You don’t say.”  His smile grew as he took her arm, gently pulling her away from the crowd.  “Do you have any other bags or is this it?”

 

“That’s it.”

 

“Okay, let’s get you out of here.”  He led the way, going out a side exit and walking quickly to the closest parking structure.  “Sorry for the rush.  I had to pull in a few favors to get free so I could come pick you up and I really need to be back in time for . . .” 

 

“Hey, it’s no problem.  I needed a run today anyway.”  She laughed.  “Josh isn’t exactly the easiest person to surprise, is he?”

 

“No, he’s not.  It’s like he knows everything.”  They stopped beside a blue car and she waited while he put her bag in the trunk and unlocked the door.  “It’s a mess, but there’s nothing in here that’ll bite you, I promise.”

 

With a grin, she slid into the passenger seat, fastening her seatbelt as he got comfortable behind the steering wheel and started the engine.  “So, how’s this going to work?”

 

“The skits for the show start filming in about half an hour.  I arranged to be the last person suited up so that I could run you by to drop off your bags and stuff before we head to the studio, but you only have the one bag, so we’ll just go straight there.”  He paused his thought to check both ways, then pulled into traffic.  “I figure we’ll hide you in the audience during the taping, since it’d kind of suck if you came all the way down here and then didn’t get to see everybody in action . . .”

 

“Well, I’ll be here for a week, so I wouldn’t worry too much about me catching the show, but I think that’ll work.  He’ll be too into what he’s doing to even notice who’s in the crowd.  I think you probably need to worry more about where you put me before show time.”  Her fingertips played with the switch for the automatic windows.  “Are you going to hide me somewhere or is it safe for me to just walk around?”

 

“You can hang out in the girls’ dressing room until they start letting the audience in, then one of us will sneak you out there.”

 

“And then, after the show . . .”

 

“Party time.  They’ll clear out the audience, we’ll go get ourselves back to normal and then we’re just going to use the set.  Music, dancing and all that jazz.”  His eyes slid over to her.  “Maybe by the time he gets over the fact that you’re here, he’ll have some time to dance with you.”

 

“You make it sound like he . . . like he gushes over me or something.”  She shook her head.  “He doesn’t.”

 

“That’s what you think.”  A knowing grin lit his features.  “I’ve seen how he stares at your picture when he’s on the phone with you.  You’re . . . you’re his Boof, whatever that’s supposed to mean.  He won’t explain it to me.”  Questioning eyes moved over to her.  “Care to shed some light?”

 

“Nope, I don’t.  If he doesn’t want you to know, then I’m not gonna be the one to spill the beans.”

 

“I didn’t think you would.”  Slender shoulders rose in a sigh.  “Anyway, he talks about you more than he talks about his family.”

 

“Okay, so we’re close.  He’s the closest thing to a brother that I’ve ever had.  But that’s all.”  Her eyebrow arched at him.  “Surely you’ve figured out that guys and girls can be just friends.”

 

“Oh, I know that.  But I’ve never seen two people as close as you guys are without there being something more.”

 

She looked up when he turned into a parking lot.  “We’re best friends.  That’s all there is to it.”  Her eyes focused on the building across the lot, taking a deep breath as she thought about him being inside those walls.  “The couple stuff has been said before and that’s not what we’re about.”

 

“Okay, okay.  I’ll buy that.”  He put the car in park and turned to look at her.  “Since you two are just friends . . . think I could have a dance or two?”

 

Her perplexed look quickly became a grin as she met his smiling eyes.  “Sure.  I still have to prove to you that I’m really not all whacked out in the head.”

 

“You’re best friends with Jace and you just agreed to dance with me.  I’d say that makes you pretty twisted.”  His laughter rang out as he opened the door.  “Come on.  He’s gonna go nuts when he finds out you’re here.”

 

*********************

 

The ending music finally faded out and the entire cast made a mad dash to get off the set, more than ready to get out of the stage clothing and into their own.

 

“Hey Jace!”

 

He turned when he heard the yell, finding Josh still standing on the set.  “What’cha need, Ackerman?”

 

“Can we run over Break It Down Again before you head to the house?”

 

His eyes narrowed.  “I thought we weren’t using that one this season?”

 

“Yeah, I know.  I just want to make sure it’s still good, since we haven’t done it in a while.”

 

“Okay.  Let me go get changed and stuff.”

 

“Meet me back here?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

Turning back around, he jogged off the set and into the wings, not paying a bit of attention to the people moving around behind him as he made a bee line for the guys’ dressing room.

 

Twenty minutes later, he’d showered to get all the stage make-up washed off and was pulling an over-sized T-shirt over his head, not caring that his hair was still wet.

 

He had just knelt down to tie his shoelaces when Josh’s head came through the doorway.  “You still alive in here, Jace?”

 

“Man, take it easy.  I’m working on it.”  His voice lowered to a growl.  “You can’t give a guy time to shower and change?  What’s the hurry, anyway?  You got a big date?”

 

“You could say that.”  Josh leaned against the doorjamb with a grin.  “Hurry up.”

 

“Okay, okay.”  Finishing up with the laces, he stood and pushed his way through the door.  “Let’s get this over with.”  He took off down the hallway, making the younger boy rush to catch up, grumbling the entire way back to the set.

 

Josh kept pace with him as they moved through the wings and onto the set, laughing softly when he saw how his friend’s head was down, his eyes on the floor, completely unaware of the crowd of people standing quietly in front of them.  “Jace, man.  Check this out.”

 

“What?”  His head turned to look at Josh, then . . .

 

“Surprise!”

 

He jerked around with a jump when he heard the yell, his eyes widening when he saw the people crowded around a table in the middle of the set.  “Whoa . . . what . . .”

 

“Happy birthday, C.”  Tony stepped forward, clapping a hand over his shoulder.  “Not all of us could make it on Sunday, so we’re partying today.”

 

“Wow.”  Music started playing on the speakers around the set and a bright grin spread across his features.  “Thanks, guys.  This is awesome.”

 

The whole group started milling around, talking, laughing and dancing to the upbeat music.

 

“You haven’t seen it all yet.”  Tony pushed him over to the table holding a large sheet cake.  “Chocolate, as per tradition.”

 

“Wait.”  His brows knit in confusion.  “How’d you know about the chocolate cake?”

 

“I made a few phone calls.  You know some pretty cool people.”

 

“Yeah, right.”  An eyebrow arched in distrust.  “How’d you really find out about it?”

 

Tony’s eyes focused on something on the other side of the room and he couldn’t help but grin.  “Forget how I knew.  Why don’t you take a look at your present?”

 

“There’s more?”  JC’s head shook back and forth.  “Man, the party was plenty.”

 

“Maybe, but I think you’ll like this.  Turn around.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Because it just walked in.”

 

“Oh, God.”  He ran his fingers through his hair, closing his eyes with a sigh.  “Tony . . . I don’t care if you’re my friend.  If you’ve dragged out another of those girls you like so much for me, I’m going to kill you.”

 

“Jace . . . just turn around.”  When he still didn’t move, Tony reached out and grabbed his arm, physically turning him.  “I tried to put a big pink bow on it, but I was kind of afraid that I’d lose a hand or an arm or something.”

 

“Good call.  I can’t be held responsible for the violent tendencies I get when I’m around pink.”

 

JC’s eyes flew open at the female voice, widening in surprise when he saw her standing there.  Silently, his gaze moved over her from head to foot, studying her as if trying to make sure that she wasn’t a figment of his imagination.  “Jen?”

 

“I’m not that shocking, am I?”  She gave him a bright smile.

 

“What . . . how’d you get here?”  He blinked quickly.  “You are really here, right?”

 

Her arms crossed over her chest, a dark eyebrow arching sarcastically.  “No, I’m having an out of body experience.”

 

Almost cautiously, he reached up so that his fingers could tug gently at her hair, an affirmation that she was really standing in front of him.  “Okay . . . but how . . . why are you here, Boof?”

 

“As if it isn’t obvious.”  She gave an exaggerated roll of her eyes.  “I’m here because you have some friends who are out of this world and wanted to give you an awesome birthday.  Now thank them so you can give me a hug.”

 

“I think the hug should come first.”  The words weren’t even out of his mouth before he took a quick step forward, wrapping his arms around her waist, pulling her so tightly against him that her feet left the floor.  He grinned when he felt her forehead rest against his shoulder and her arms go around his neck, the fingers of her right hand threading through his hair.   She sighed against him and he instinctively began swaying side to side, pressing his lips to the side of her head, not caring one bit that all eyes were on them.

 

After a few minutes, she pulled back as well as she could with him holding her off the ground.  “Josh . . . I can’t breathe.”

 

“If I let you go, you’ll disappear.”

 

His words were soft, nearly swallowed by the loud music, but she heard them all the same.  “No I won’t.  Not for a week, anyway.”

 

Blue eyes opened, zeroing in on her face.  “Promise?”

 

“Yeah, I promise.”  She felt her feet touch the floor, but he still didn’t release her.  Tilting her head, she let her gaze move over his face.  “Hey . . . are you okay?”

 

“I’m fine.”  He gave her one last squeeze, then let her go for only a second, his hands grasping her shoulders gently as a smile lifted the corners of his mouth.  “I’m just really glad to see you.”

 

“Um . . . okay.”  Suddenly, she became aware of all the stares directed on them.  Clearing her throat, she offered him a grin.  “Well, it looks like you have their attention.  Maybe now would be a good time for you to . . . you know, thank them.”

 

He looked around quickly, his grin growing by the second.  “You guys are the greatest.  Thank you so much.  This is . . . wow.”  Even as he spoke, his eyes kept coming back to her.  She never noticed, as she was busy trying to keep from focusing on any one person for too long, certain that she’d be on the receiving end of those knowing looks she’d been subject to since they’d turned eleven.

 

“This is the best present I’ve ever gotten.”  His voice drew her attention, her mind centering on him in time to return the smile he was giving her.  Not two seconds later, he’d pulled her back into his arms, swaying in time with the slow song that carried over the speakers.  Over his shoulder, her gaze fell on Tony, standing a few feet away with that familiar ‘yeah, right’ look on his face, an eyebrow arching when her eyes met his.

 

Her forehead furrowed in frustration and she shook her head at him in denial.  Then she allowed herself to simply enjoy that she was there, that they were together, and with a soft sigh she dismissed the whole idea.

 

*********************

 Sunday 

He stretched under the covers, sighing deeply as he came awake.  Pulling the blanket tighter around him, he fought against the bright light shining in his face, refusing to leave behind the peaceful sleep he’d been enjoying.

 

Then the smell of something cooking hit his nose, immediately forcing his eyes open.  “Pancakes?”  His eyes narrowed at the ceiling as he took a deep breath, inhaling the delicious aroma.  “She’s seriously fixing pancakes?”  Without a second thought, he threw back the covers and rolled out of bed, running his fingers through his disheveled hair with a yawn as he walked out into the living room area of the apartment.

 

Music was playing in the kitchen and he could hear her humming along, something making a clattering noise as she dropped it into the sink.  He was already grinning by the time he’d made it into the doorway, stopping to cross his arms over his chest and lean against the door frame, fighting not to laugh out loud as he watched her.

 

She’d already showered and dressed, her worn blue jeans secured around her waist with what appeared to be a Native American beaded belt, the ends of it hanging below the loose-fitting Mickey Mouse Club tee shirt that one of the crew members had dug out for her.  Her dark hair was still damp, secured into a ponytail, the strands softening as they dried in the heat from the stove.

 

“Now I believe in miracles, and a miracle has happened tonight . . .”  Her sock-clad feet made her move easily as she spun on the linoleum and, using the pancake turner as a makeshift microphone, she let go and sang along with the Michael Jackson tune pouring from the radio on the counter.  “But if you’re thinkin’ about my baby, it don’t matter if you’re black or white.”

 

Bopping her head to the beat, she stepped back to the stove, flipping the pancakes in the pan before setting the turner down on the counter and reaching for the door of the refrigerator, imitating the guitar riffs vocally as she pulled out a pack of bacon.  The package was deposited on the counter next to the sink and she whipped around to dance back to the pancakes, flipping them once, twice, then giving a final pat with the turner before moving the finished cakes to the platter that already held a small stack of steaming, golden brown discs. 

 

“Protection, for gangs, clubs and nations, causing grief in human relations . . .”  She launched into the rap without missing a word, moving the platter of pancakes to the small table in the middle of the room and grabbing the bacon, ripping through the package and peeling out several slices to toss into the pan, where they immediately began to sizzle.

 

He bit his lip roughly, forcing himself into silence as her hips moved to the music, her hands busy with turning the bacon.  Leaving the meat to cook for a while, she took a few steps to the right, moving dirty dishes into the sink, clearing off part of the counter.  “If you’re thinkin’ of being my baby, it don’t matter if you’re black or white.”  A pop sounded from the pan and she turned once again, doing a weird combination of the Moonwalk and the Egyptian, moving backward until she was in front of the stove.

 

A few turns with the fork and she lifted the pan from the stove eye, carefully transferring the cooked bacon to the plate waiting on the counter then moved to put the pan in the empty side of the double sink.  Once it was down safely, she tilted her head back, raising her arm up and holding the fork toward the ceiling as she imitated the signature “Whoo!” at the end of the song.

 

Unable to hold it in any longer, he burst out in loud laughter, the sound making her jump in mid-spin.  The shocked movement made her feet cross over each other, tangling just enough to send her tumbling down onto the floor, the fork flying across the room to bounce harmlessly off the wall.  For a second, she just lay there, staring at the ceiling with a startled expression, then she began to turn a bright shade of red, her hands coming up to cover her face.

 

“I can’t believe you just caught me.”

 

He moved over and knelt down beside her, still laughing.  “I wish I had a video camera.  The only thing that could’ve made that better would’ve been catching it on tape.”  His fingers grasped her wrists gently, pulling her hands away from her face.  “Are you okay?”

 

“Yeah, I’m fine.”  She gave him an embarrassed grin and sat up.  “Enjoy the show?”

 

“You have no idea.”  He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, inhaling the aroma of the bacon.  “Since when do you cook?”

 

A short laugh escaped as she got to her feet.  “Since I took Foods as an elective last year.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Yeah.  It’s fun.”  She turned, picking up the plate of bacon and moving it to the table.  “Do you want eggs too, or is this enough?”

 

“Pancakes and bacon?  Yeah, that’s plenty.”

 

“Not just any pancakes . . . chocolate chip pancakes.”

 

“Seriously?”  He grinned, grabbing her into a quick hug.  “Boof, you rock.”

 

“I know.”  She handed him a plate and sat down.  “Dig in.”

 

His eyes widened as he watched her douse her pancakes in topping.  “You’re going to be bouncing off the walls by the time you finish that.”

 

“Well, it’s better than the alternative.”

 

“What’s wrong with Aunt Jemima?”

 

“Are you kidding?  Aunt Jemima shouldn’t go anywhere near chocolate chips.  That’s just disgusting.”  Her nose wrinkled and she passed him the containers she’d just finished using.  “Here.  Have fun.”

 

“Chocolate syrup and Reddi-Whip?”  His eyebrow rose at her.  “Are you eating pancakes or ice cream?”

 

“Just try it.”  She took a big bite, sighing as the mixture melted in her mouth.  “It’s good.”  Her eyes followed him as he picked up the bottle of syrup and stared at it for a second.

 

With a shrug, he took his time covering the pancakes, then proceeded to make quick work of the food, barely pausing to nod his approval.

 

She laughed softly, reaching to grab a piece of bacon from the plate, chewing thoughtfully until she suddenly remembered, jumping up from her seat.  “Be right back.”  As she left the room, she finished off the bacon, wiping her fingers on the legs of her pants to get rid of the grease before pawing through her duffel.  Her fingers closed over a small box and she smiled, lifting the lid to make sure the folded paper was still inside, then made her way back to the kitchen, dropping the box next to his plate as she sat down.  “Happy birthday.”

 

His eyebrow arched as he picked up the box.  “Expensive things come in small boxes.”

 

Shaking her head, she laughed.  “I like to think of it as ‘it’s the little things that count’.”

 

He sent her a quick smile, lifting the lid and tilting his head when he saw the paper.

 

“Heather printed this off for me.”  She reached out, unfolding the page for him.  “She was doing a paper or something on her zodiac sign for . . . I forget what class it was for, but she looked up the entire family.  I read this and thought it fit you perfectly.”

 

“Leo.”  His eyes moved over the page, narrowing as he read the highlighted words and phrases out loud.  “Generous.  Ambitious.  Spontaneously warm-hearted and plainspoken.  Faithful.  Courageous.  Never lacking in kindliness.  Strong-willed.  Enthusiastic.  Is open, sincere, genuine and trusting.  Creative.  Uncomplicated.  Knows what he wants and strives to achieve it.  Loving.”  He looked up, studying her carefully.  “You . . . you think this is me?”

 

“I know it’s you.”  She took another bite of her pancakes, chewing slowly as she thought out her next sentence.  “I’ve known you long enough to see every possible side of you, good and bad.  But those . . .”  Her fork gestured to the paper.  “Those are the things I love most about you.”  She watched as he pulled out the black corded necklace, his eyes focusing on the silver pendant hanging from it. 

 

“It’s a lion.”

 

“Your sign.  And even though I don’t totally buy into that whole thing where the positioning of the sun or stars or whatever at your time of birth has anything to do with how you turn out . . . I can’t argue with the description on that paper right there.”  She took the last bite of her sugary breakfast, letting her fork clatter down on her plate as she chewed.  “The only thing is, I don’t think you see that those qualities are what make you who you are.  I wanted to give you something that represented . . . well, you.  And the person I hope you’ll always be.”  Her cheeks turned slightly pink and she grinned, laughing lightly.  “I almost got the key chain, but I thought it’d be too tacky, so I went with the necklace instead.”

 

“I . . . wow.  I don’t know what to say.”  Fumbling with the clasp, he opened it easily, but had trouble getting it to latch around his neck.

 

“Here, let me help.”  She stood, walking around behind him to work on the necklace, fastening it quickly.  “Is it too tight?”

 

“Nope.  It’s good.”  He looked up at her, rising to his feet to pull her in for a hug.  “Thank you.  How can you take the smallest thing and make it mean something so much more?”

 

“It’s a gift, I guess.”  Her fingers patted the pendant, pressing it against his bare chest.  Then she met his gaze, her trademark bright grin lighting up her face.  “Either that, or I’m just really desperate to justify a cheap present.”

 

She laughed again and he let his eyes move over her face, forming a smile of his own as her voice bounced off the walls around them.  He studied her, taking note of the subtle changes in her appearance, the evidence that she was growing up.  Her eyelashes were longer, her cheeks thinner, the sprinkling of freckles across her nose – once jumping out at him – faded to the point of being barely noticeable.  The lines of her jaw and chin were more defined, appearing more stubborn and strong.  Her lips were still the same reddish color, the corners still turned up in a natural smile, but they were fuller, more pronounced.

 

No matter how she changed physically, he knew that her heart, her spirit, would always be the same.  She’d always be the light-hearted, sassy, stubborn, loyal, laughing, perfectionist Jen that he’d grown up with.  She would always know when he needed to be brought down a peg or two, when his ego needed a little deflating, and she’d be more than happy to tell him straight out that he was being a jerk and needed to adjust his attitude.  Without a doubt, he knew that she’d always have his back, that she’d do her best to keep him grounded . . . and that she’d keep him smiling while she was doing it.

 Never change, Jenny. 

“Do I have chocolate sauce on my face or something?”

 

Her voice pulled him out of his thoughts and he realized that she was staring at him.  “What?”

 

“You’re staring at me.”  She ran a hand over her mouth.  “Do I have something on my face, or am I just that gorgeous?”

 

“You’re just that gorgeous.”  He answered with a grin, laughing when her eyebrow arched and she turned away from him to clear the table.  “I was thinking.  Sorry.”

 

“Anything important?”  Her head turned, looking up from where she was stacking their plates together.

 

“Nah.  Nothing worth talking about.”  Picking up the dishes she couldn’t carry, he followed her over to the sink.  “You never did tell me what you thought about the show.”

 

“It was great.”  She turned on the water, her fingers testing the warmth before she put the stopper in the drain and added the soap.  “It was different to see it live and in person, though.  When it’s on TV, you can’t see all the crew people running around between skits and stuff.  They do a really good job of making it seem like it only takes half an hour and that you’re really seeing a live show.”

 

“And the video?”

 

“Your song was awesome, Josh.  Runaway Train was a really good pick for you.”

 

He gave her a questioning look.  “Why do I sense a ‘but’ coming?”

 

“Because there is.”  She laughed and picked up a washrag, starting in on the dishes.  “You sound good on all the other stuff, but your best sound is on Richard Marx songs.  Why haven’t they let you do one yet?”

 

“It’s never come up.  Why don’t you request one?”

 

“Yeah, they’re really gonna listen to me.”  Her voice pitched upward, imitating a little girl.  “Hi!  Could you please have JC sing Now and Forever for me?  It’s my fa-a-a-avorite!” 

 

“You never know.  It could work.”  He intercepted her doubtful look.  “Okay, so don’t talk to them.  Maybe I can work something out for next season.  Would that make you happy?”

 

“Extremely.”

 

“I’ll just tell them that my number one fan wants me to sing Now and Forever for her.  Dedication and all.”

 

“You wouldn’t dare.”

 

“Uh, yeah, I would.  What could you do about it?  Turn the TV off?”  Suds came flying his way and he laughed.  “You’d love that, wouldn’t you?  Admit it.”

 

“If there’s ever a dedication of any kind, I’ll reach right through that television screen and choke the life out of you.” 

 

“But what about all my other fans?”  His lower lip jutted out in a pout.  “You know they’d miss me, Boof.”

 

“Aww.  The poor babies.”  She grinned, tossing a drying towel to him.  “Now make yourself useful.”

 

He caught the fabric and saluted her.  “Yes, ma’am.”

 

“Don’t call me ma’am.”

 

A snicker escaped.  “Yes, sir.”

 

“Shut up.”

 

 

 

 

   

Chapter Four by Renee

 

 

March, 1993

 

She groaned, running a hand roughly through her hair as she leaned forward to read the same paragraph over for what seemed to be the tenth time.  Or maybe it was the eleventh.

 

“Why won’t this stuff stick?  Seriously, how hard is it to explain the kinetic-molecular theory?”  Her eyes moved over the page once more and she let out a long sigh.  “Who am I kidding?  This may as well be in Latin.  God, I hate chemistry.”

 

Her elbow propped on the desk and her forehead fell into her hand, giving herself a minute to fight back the full blown panic that was building.  Taking deep breaths, she tried to calm down.  “It’s going to be okay.  It’s just one test.  If you fail it, you have a full grading period to make it up.  No biggie.  Just relax and . . .”

 

The phone rang next to her, bringing her out of her pep talk.  “So much for studying.”  Sighing again, she pressed the button on the handset and brought it to her ear.  “Hello.  You’ve reached the help desk.  Did you know that the kinetic-molecular theory states that a gas consists of molecules in constant, random motion?  This is just one of the many questions on my test tomorrow that I will undoubtedly get wrong.”  She took a deep breath.  “But enough about my problems.  How on Earth can I make your day better?”

 

“Whoa.”  The familiar laugh carried over the line, bringing a smile to her face instantly.  “Bad day, Boof?”

 

“Slightly.”  Her chin rested in her hand, her eyes moving over the book in front of her.  “I’ve had better, that’s for sure.”

 

“What’s going on?”

 

“Let’s just say chemistry sucks and leave it at that.”

 

“Ah.”  Understanding rang in his voice.  “Yeah, chemistry sucks.  Big test tomorrow?”

 

“Yep.”

 

“Are you ready for it?”

 

“Nope.  Not even close.”

 

“Should I let you go so you can study?”

 

“No, don’t go anywhere.  I think I’m just overly stressed this week.”  Her eyes dropped closed.  “I have this test tomorrow, an algebra test Wednesday, a term paper due on Thursday and a presentation for my speech class scheduled on Friday.”

 

“That’s . . . wow, Jen.  That’s a lot of stuff.”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“How’s it looking?”

 

“Well, the algebra is nothing.  Easy stuff.”

 

“Right.”

 

“And the paper and presentation are nearly finished.  The paper needs to be proof read and I need to time the speech, but that shouldn’t take more than fifteen minutes.”

 

“Okay, so you’re pretty much set except for the chemistry?”

 

“Yeah.  It’d be better if I didn’t have so much trouble with science, but there’s really nothing I can do about that.”

 

“Don’t stress over it so much and it’ll be easier.  Trust me.”

 

“Yeah, I know.”  She flipped the heavy book closed.  “Maybe I’ll just put the book under my pillow and hope to absorb it by osmosis.”

 

He laughed.  “Yeah, you could try that.  I wouldn’t count on it working, though.”

 

“Me, neither.”  Quietly, she got up from the desk chair and laid down on her bed, staring at the ceiling as she talked.  “So what’s up with you, Josh?  This isn’t your usual night to call.”

 

“No, I know.  I just . . . I guess I needed to vent and you were the only one I wanted to talk to.”

 

“Vent?  Is everything okay with the show?”

 

“Yeah, the show’s fine.”

 

“Awesome performance today, by the way.  Tell Blain that he’s more than welcome to call me up and sing me to sleep anytime.”

 

“I’ll definitely pass that along.”  His grin was obvious.  “How about that choreography?”

 

“The choreography?”  She blinked at the ceiling, trying to think of the right descriptive words.  “It was . . . it was . . .”

 

“Crazy.  And stupid.  I felt like an idiot up there, waving my arms around like a fool and the jumping and crap . . . it was awful.”

 

“But you did your job and you made it through it.”

 

“Yeah, I guess.”

 

“And the little girls ate it up.”

 

“Right.  That’s all that counts.”

 

His sarcastic response made her smile.  “Exactly.  You’re eye candy for the ’tweens.”  He groaned and she laughed.  “Seriously, Josh . . . it wasn’t all that bad.  Besides, you weren’t the only one up there.  Tony, Matt, Blain and Kevin had to do it, too.  With all of you together . . . the whole performance came out well.”

 

“Okay.”

 

“Do you feel better now?”

 

“About that, yeah.  Thanks.”

 

“Was there something else bothering you?”

 

“Well . . . yeah.  You just got me off track when you started talking about the show.”

 

“Oh, sorry.”  She settled her head further into her pillow.  “What’s wrong?  Vent away.”

 

He took a deep breath.  “Jennifer and I broke up.”

 

“Oh, man.  I’m sorry.”

 

“Don’t be.  I wasn’t counting on it lasting too long, anyway.”

 

“What happened?”

 

“The same old, same old.”

 

Her eyes narrowed at the ceiling.  “You have a usual reason for breaking up?  Josh . . . that’s not normal.”

 

“For me it is.”  He sighed.  “I accidentally let it slip that you and I went to a few movies when I was at home last month . . .”

 

“And she got mad, right?”

 

“Right.  You’d think I was cheating on her or something.”

 

“Well, to her . . . it probably seemed that way.”

 

“How?”

 

“You went to a movie with another girl, Josh.  That almost automatically constitutes a cheating situation.”

 

“Not when it’s you, it shouldn’t.”

 

“Uh, yeah.  No exceptions to that rule, I’m afraid.”

 

“Why not?  You’re going to have to explain this one to me.”

 

She sighed.  “Welcome to this tour of the female mind.  Please remain seated, with the seatbelt tightly secured and keep all hands and arms inside the car at all times . . .”

 

“Okay.  I’m entering dangerous territory.  I get it.”  He let out a short laugh.  “Just get on with it.”

 

“Look . . . when a girl is dating a guy, she wants to be the primary girl in his life.  Well, after his mother and sisters or whatever.  It’s common nature.  She focuses on you.  You focus on her.  Nobody else enters the picture.  Your basketball buddies or other guy friends are okay in limited quantities and time increments, but absolutely no outside female interference is allowed.  End of story.”

 

“But she’d met you and she knew . . .”

 

“Yeah, we met last year.  She wasn’t too keen on me, either.  And that was before you were dating.”  Her fingers picked at the comforter as she tried not to laugh out loud.  “I seriously think she was jealous that we had the same name.”

 

“That’s stupid, you know.”

 

“Uh huh.  But girls and jealousy are something even I’m not brave enough to try to explain.”  She sighed.  “We get jealous easily and quickly.  And when we think another girl is zeroing in on our territory . . . well, it can get vicious.  But ask us why . . . and we can’t tell you.  It’s nothing that can be explained without getting into all those different brain chemicals and attitudes and crap.  Probably something you should take up with a psychologist.”

 

“And you’re not a psychologist.”

 

“Nope.”

 

“I still don’t get it.  She knew about you going in . . .”

 

“Josh, she probably didn’t know exactly what she was getting herself into.”

 

“How could she not have known?  Like I said before . . . she’d met you.”

 

“We were around each other for a few days.  There’s no way she could’ve gotten the entire picture while I was down there for your birthday.”

 

“Okay . . . okay, yeah.  I can see that.”  He sighed.  “But . . .”

 

“Did you break up with her, or did she break up with you?”

 

“She dumped me.  Why?”

 

“What exactly happened, Josh?  What were her reasons when she broke up with you?  Start with the little stuff and work your way up.”

 

“Well, she was upset about something with her name . . . something about how I have a nickname for you, but not her.”

 

“She wanted the pet names thing.”

 

“I guess.  Is that an issue?”

 

“To her, yes.  What next?”

 

“Apparently it’s a crime for me to have pictures of the two of us around.”

 

“Pictures of you and her?”

 

“No . . . of me and you.”

 

“Do you have any pictures of you and her?”

 

“Nope.  She’d never mentioned it and I never thought of it.”

 

“Hey, you’re a guy, so she shouldn’t really fault you for that . . .”

 

“Then why did she?”

 

“Because you made the effort to have pictures of me, but didn’t really care when it came to having any of her.”  She shook her head and closed her eyes.  “You put her lower on your list of priorities whether you realized it or not.”

 

“I . . . I never thought of it that way.”  He sighed.  “I just figured that I had her right in front of me, but you weren’t here . . . so I needed more reminders of you than of her.”

 

“And that would be another strike against you.  Girlfriends don’t want their guys to have reminders of other girls.  If she’s not family, you shouldn’t be thinking about her.”

 

“You’re almost family . . .”

 

“No, I’m not.  No blood relation, no dice.”

 

“Okay, I’ll buy that.”

 

“Anything else?”

 

“She had issues with my calling you, hanging out with you while I’m at home . . .”

 

“It should be obvious why those are problem areas.  Josh, you can’t expect to convince one girl that you care for her and only for her if you’re spending time on the phone and going out to movies with another.  Even though I’m just a friend . . . that doesn’t fly.”

 

“You’re more than just a friend.  You’re my best friend.”

 

“But you have to consider that most guys have another guy as their best friend.  There’s nothing there for a girlfriend to feel insecure about, because the testosterone pretty much overrides everything.”

 

There was a brief pause before his incredulous voice came through.  “You’re joking, right?”

 

“I’m dead serious.  With your guy buddies, you talk sports, tell nasty jokes, do handshakes . . . whatever.  It doesn’t get overly personal.”  She twisted a piece of hair around her index finger.  “With you and me . . . it’s deeper than that.  We understand each other.  How would you feel if you were dating a girl whose best friend was a guy who, more than likely, knew more about her than you could ever hope to?”

 

“That’s not a great example, Jen.”  He laughed softly.  “Because I know how it feels to have a friendship like that.  You know more about me than anyone else and you still take me as is.  I know without a doubt that if I need you, you’ll be there in a snap.  There’s nobody else who can read me the way you do, because you know exactly what to look for.”  Silence carried over the line as he sorted through his thoughts.  “I’ve had plenty of guy friends over the years and not one of them could come anywhere close to doing that.  In all honesty, I think everybody should have a chance to have a relationship like ours, just so they can see what it’s all about.”

 

“But not everyone has had that kind of friendship.  They don’t know what it’s like to have another person out there who knows every little thing about you, and can read you like a book.”  The hair unwound from her finger, the strands taking on a gently curled look.  “We know each other backwards and forwards.  But that kind of relationship . . . that’s what you’re supposed to want from someone you’re dating, right?” 

 

“Well . . . when you put it that way, I guess so.”  His tone was unsure.  “But Jen . . . I don’t . . .”

 

“It’s simple, really.  If you meet someone who you think could be, you know, the one . . . just let me know and we’ll handle it.”

 

“Now hang on a second.”  Suddenly his voice was sharp, alert.  “It sounds like you’re telling me that you’d . . . you wouldn’t back out on me just because I got into a serious relationship, would you?”

 

“Not for just a serious relationship, no.  But . . . we’re growing up, Josh.  Someday you’re going to find a woman and fall head over heels in love with her . . . and she’s not going to appreciate how close we are.”  She swallowed hard.  “One day, you’ll have to leave this – us – behind so that you can have a future with her.  We may as well prepare ourselves for it now so that we don’t end up seriously hurt when that time comes.”

 

“Don’t you think you’re jumping the gun just a little bit here?  I mean . . . I’ve tried dating a few girls and it hasn’t worked out.  So what?”

 

“I just . . .”

 

“We’re sixteen.  I highly doubt that either of us will be looking to get married in the next few years.”

 

“You’re right, but I still think . . .”

 

“Let’s forget about that whole mess for right now.  It’s a can of worms that shouldn’t even be picked up yet.”  He sighed.  “I think what I’m trying to say here is that I don’t want to date anyone who can’t accept that you – a girl – are my best friend.”

 

“Even if you’re up front about it, it’s going to be hard for you to find anyone that’ll take you seriously, Josh.”

 

“Then I won’t date.”  He paused as she laughed.  “I’m serious here.  I want to be able to go grab a bite with you every now and then, to go out and do things together.  I like being around you, doing things with you, and I’m not going to stop just because Potential Girlfriend Number Seven thinks I’m too close to you.”

 

“And what if she’s right?  What if we are too close?”

 

“I don’t think we are.”  He fell silent for a few seconds.  “I’m not going to trade you in, Jenny.  I couldn’t.”

 

“You couldn’t get rid of me that easily and you know it.”  She laughed.  “All I want to do is let you know that if you ever meet that girl . . . the one you think could be your meant to be . . . then you just need to let me know and I’ll back away or whatever and it’ll be fine.”

 

“Uh huh.”  His disbelieving tone spoke volumes.  “Yeah, I can just see that.”

 

“Okay, so maybe it won’t be fine . . . but I’ll deal.  Really.”

 

“Right.  Whatever you say.”  A mental image of him shaking his head at her crossed her mind.  “Why is it that I’m the only one with this problem?  You’ve never said anything about it.”

 

“Probably because I haven’t found anybody worth the effort.”  She sighed.  “Nobody local, anyway.”

 

“You know, Tony asks about you quite a bit.  I keep telling him he should call you.”

 

“He did.  A few months back.  He still does, every now and again.”

 

“And?”

 

“At first it was a little weird.  A thousand miles makes a big difference, you know.”

 

“Yeah, I know.”  He sighed and she could picture him running his fingers through his hair.  “Do you think it’ll work out for you?”

 

“No.  Tony’s a good friend, but there’s nothing else to build on.”  A grin formed on her lips.  “Besides, long distance relationships aren’t exactly my thing.”

 

“Okay.  But don’t count it out . . . and you never know when somebody new will come around.”

 

“I know.”

 

“And remember that I have to approve.”

 

“Yeah, right.”  The laugh that followed was loaded with sarcasm.  “Like you let me approve who you date.”

 

“Hey, I got rid of Alex, didn’t I?”

 

“That was because she called and threatened me with bodily injury if I ever spoke to you again.”

 

“She was kind of . . . odd, wasn’t she?”

 

“Odd?”  Her voice was incredulous.  “Try nutso.  A few fries short of a Happy Meal.  Forget the light being on, there wasn’t even a switch installed.  Living proof that God has a serious sense of humor.”

 

“Okay, okay.  She was a whack job.” 

 

“She wanted me to send her a pair of your underwear.  Like I’d have them.”

 

“No way.”

 

“Yes way.”

 

“Do I want to know what you did?”

 

“Probably not, but I’ll tell you anyway.”  She bit her lip, trying not to laugh.  “I took a pair of Tyler’s old Muppet Babies underwear and mailed them with a note telling her to enjoy.”

 

“Please tell me you’re joking.”

 

“Nope.  I’m totally serious.”  Her laugh carried over the line.  “She probably has them framed or mounted somewhere.  I wish I could’ve seen her face when she opened that bubble mailer.  Talk about priceless.”

 

“Oh, God.”  He groaned, then laughed right along with her.  “Boof . . . you’re horrible.”

 

“Yeah, I know.  You have to love me, though.”

 

“I guess.  It’s what makes you who you are.”  His grin showed in his voice.  “You’re a handful and you know it.”

 

“Yep.  I sure am.”

 

There was silence for a few moments, then he laughed again.  “What if God really does have a sense of humor and we end up together?  That’d be freakin’ hilarious.”

 

She blinked, thinking over his words, then arched an eyebrow at the ceiling.  “Hey . . . it wouldn’t be all that bad, would it?”

 

He fell silent . . . and stayed quiet for several seconds, causing her mind to run wild with all sorts of things that he could be thinking.

God, I’m not totally horrible, am I?  If he’s having to think this hard about it . . . 

“No . . . no, I don’t think that’d be too bad at all.”

 

She let out a quiet sigh of relief.  “Really?”

 

“Yeah . . . you’re an awesome girl, Jen.  Whoever catches you is going to be extremely lucky.”

 

“Good answer.”

 

“Did I score any points with that one?”

 

Her grin reappeared.  “Yeah . . . I’ll give you a few points for that.”

 

--------------------------------------------------

 

November, 1993

 

The car stopped in the driveway and her eyes widened when she saw the bodies flying across the front yard, each desperate to get their hands on the ball sailing through the air.

 

“They started the game early this year.”  Lisa laughed from the driver’s seat as the wrestling match on the lawn grew by the second.

 

“Yeah, they did.”  Jen watched the melee for a few minutes before turning large eyes to her mother.  “Maybe this means they won’t ask me to . . .”

 

“Hey!  Jen’s here!”  Tyler had pulled himself from the tangle of limbs and was pointing toward the car.  “Now we can have even teams!”

 

“. . . play.”  She finished with a groan, sinking down into her seat.

 

“You don’t want to play?”  The older woman waved back at the boy on the lawn, her surprise evident in her voice.  “The football game has always been your favorite part of Thanksgiving.”

 

“Yeah, I guess it is.”  A sigh escaped.  “I just get tired of them acting like I’m going to break.”

 

“Well, honey . . . you’re a girl.  The Chasez boys know better than to hit a fragile female with a full-out tackle.  Karen and the rest of their mothers would be out for blood.”  She grinned as Karen waved from the side yard, camera dangling around her neck.  “See?  She’s even standing guard.”  A short laugh echoed in the small space.  “Not to mention that Joshua would kill anybody who put a scratch on you.”

 

“But that’s the whole point of football.  To take out the guy who’s trying to get the ball around you.”  Brown eyes rolled in frustration.  “They don’t even let me touch the ground.  What kind of tackle is it if you’re just gonna maneuver it so that you cushion the fall for your target?”

 

“Like I said . . .”

 

“I know, I know.  The Chasez boys know better.”  She ran her fingers through her hair, sighing again.  “But I won’t break, so there’s really no reason to worry all that much about it.  I’ve got more fight in me than half those guys out there have in their little finger.”

 

“And they know it.  But consider this . . .”  Lisa turned to face her, a serious look on her features.  “Those boys out there know you.  They’ve known you since you were little.  And they’ve always treated you like a sister, whether it’s a younger one or an older one.  Did you ever think that maybe they’re easy on you because you’re important to them?”

 

“I . . .”  The idea struck her speechless.  “No.  I hadn’t thought of it that way.  I mean, I knew Josh cared, but . . .”

 

“Josh is one of their own.  You’re important to him, so you’re important to them.  Either by association, or personally.  You know them all pretty well, don’t you?”

 

“Well, yeah.  We’ve been spending Thanksgiving with them ever since . . .”  Ever since Dad died.  She almost let the words slip, but caught them just in time, knowing that the holidays would always be the time when they missed him most.  Clearing her throat quietly, she redirected her statement.  “For what?  Four years?  Something like that.  We’ve always gotten together for Josh, Heather and Tyler’s birthdays.  And they come out for summers and stuff.”

 

“Right.  So you know them . . . and they know you.”

 

“Okay.  So what?”

 

“Honey . . . those boys range from Jake at nine all the way up to Steven at twenty-two.”

 

“Uh huh.”  Jen was becoming aware of the odd looks they were getting from the guys on the front lawn and she grinned through the window, waving quickly, generating a wave of ‘come on’ gestures.  “And your point is?”

 

“Sometimes, I seriously doubt that you’re my daughter.”  She shook her head in exasperation.  “Jen, you’re smart.  Figure it out.”  At the girl’s puzzled look, she groaned.  “You really don’t get it, do you?”

 

“Well, apparently not.”  Slender shoulders shrugged.  “What’s there to get?”

 

“Open your eyes sweetheart.  You’re seventeen.  You’re attractive.  You’re smart.  You’re comfortable with them.  They know that you’re all bark and no bite, unless it’s over something you care about.  Plus, you’re fun to have around.”  She gestured to the group of guys horsing around on the grass.  “There’s nine of them . . . and chances are, at least five are more interested in something other than football when you’re out there.”

 

Five of them?”  A surprised laugh escaped.  “Are you out of your mind?  No way.”

 

“Pay close enough attention and you’ll notice it.  I’ll bet it’s not so much that they want to win, but that they’re trying to impress you and keep you from getting hurt at the same time.  What girl wouldn’t want a guy who’d put her well-being before his own . . . and in a football game, of all things?”

 

“Hey Jen!  Come on!”

 

The yell broke through their conversation.  “You’d better get out there before they rush the car.  And don’t complain that they’re gentle with you.  It just shows they care.”

 

Jen was still shaking her head as she opened the door and stepped out, quickly pulling her hair back into a ponytail.  “You’re crazy, Mom.”

 

“Sure I am, but at least I know what I’m talking about.”  She laughed, heading over to where Karen was standing.  “Just remember what I said, Jen.”  Lisa turned and walked away, smiling when she could still hear her daughter’s grumbling behind her.  She reached the side of the house and leaned against the brick beside Karen, her smile becoming knowing when she turned around to see Jen being slung over nineteen-year-old Aaron’s shoulder, a broad grin lighting his features as she screamed in surprise.

Yep.  There’s number one. 

He walked across the yard, two more boys following closely behind him, tugging at her hair, trying to tickle her and smiling as she laughed.

Two and three. 

Tyler began racing after the group and smiling eyes moved over to the other team, finding eighteen-year-old Ben watching after them intently.

Four. 

Then her gaze moved further to the left, landing on a smiling JC, whose eyes were locked on Jen as his cousin carried her over to be on the other team.

And there would be number five.  Whether he knows it or not. 

*************************

 

“Maybe we should change your position.”

 

Her head jerked up, meeting Aaron’s eyes across the huddle as she tried to catch her breath.  “You think?”

 

“Yeah.  He knows every move you’re getting ready to make.”

 

“It’s that psycho connection, isn’t it?”  Tyler grinned next to her, nudging her shoulder with his.

 

“That’s psychic connection, Ty.  Not psycho.”  On her other side, fourteen-year-old Mike snickered, shaking his head.

 

“Actually, I think he had it right the first time.”  She laughed, draping her arms over the shoulders of the guys on either side of her.  “We probably hit the point of psycho a long time ago.”  Taking a deep breath, her attention turned back to Aaron.  “Anyway, it won’t do any good to change my position.  If I change, he’ll change and you know it.”

 

“So what do we do?”

 

“Well . . .”  Her voice trailed off, her eyes darting over to the other huddle, only to find JC looking in their direction.  “He’s trying to figure out what we’re doing.”  She moved her arms, looking down as she talked quietly, trying to throw him off.  “How about we try faking it?”

 

“Faking it?”  Sixteen-year-old Shane furrowed his brow, giving her a quizzical look.

 

“Yeah.”  Her hands worked at the sleeves of the shirt she’d tied around her waist, the green and blue checkered fabric finally coming loose.  “He knows that I like to fake left when I’m the receiver, so he’ll automatically want to go to my right.  If I keep going left, it’ll knock him off balance and he’ll have to recover.”  She shrugged into the shirt, pulling it over her loose fitting tee shirt, glad for the warmth it provided in the cool breeze.  “Get me the ball and we score.”

 

Aaron arched an eyebrow at her.  “You sure you can do that?”

“It’s worth a shot, isn’t it?”  When they just stared back at her, not saying anything, she sighed, rolling the sleeves of her overshirt up to her elbows.  “Come on.  I’m pretty fast for a girl.  I could beat any of you in a fifty yard dash any day.”  Her gaze moved around the huddle.  “Let’s do it.” 

“I don’t know . . .”  Heads began shaking around the circle.

 

“Hey.  This isn’t cool, guys.”  Her eyes narrowed on each of them.  “If we’re gonna play, then let’s play.  I won’t break.  I promise.”  She grinned.  “Besides, look who’s covering me.  If I get hurt, he can’t blame anybody but himself.”  Her hand reached out into the center of the group.  “All right?”

“Yeah.”  Tyler immediately reached in, putting his hand over hers.  He looked up, taking in the amazed looks of his team mates.  “What?  She’s right.  Josh won’t hurt her.”   

“Good point.”  Mike nodded, adding his hand to the mix.  “I say we do it.”

Shane covered the pile of hands with his own.  “Yeah.  I’m in.” 

All heads turned to Aaron, who placed his hand on the top, still appearing wary.  “All right.  Just . . .”  His eyes moved over her, not even bothering to try hiding his concern.  “Just be careful, okay?”

 

She grinned, nodding quickly.  “I will be.”

 

The huddle broke apart and they lined back up, facing the other team.

 

“Took you long enough.”

 

She looked up, smiling at the teasing look in JC’s eyes.  “Well, you know . . . talking strategy and all.”

 

“Uh huh.”

 

They crouched down, waiting for Aaron’s signal that the ball was in play, and she made sure to position herself as she would if she were running her regular receiver’s route, fighting back a smile when JC shifted slightly to his left, anticipating her usual pattern.

 

“Hike!”

 

She shot forward, focused on positioning herself to receive the ball, not even batting an eyelash as she whipped herself around and to the left, taking the opposite direction of what she usually ran.  Out of the corner of her eye, she could see JC trying to correct his mistaken block, tripping over his own feet and costing himself several precious steps.

 

Her upper body turned and she looked toward the sky, immediately finding the football as it sailed overhead.  Reaching up, she snatched it in mid-stride, bringing it down to cradle the leather protectively against her body as she barreled on, all too aware of the pounding feet scrambling after her.

 

Just as she was crossing between the trees that served as the entrance to their end zone, two arms wrapped around her waist and tugged, sending her careening off balance.  Since she’d already scored the desired points, she released the ball, letting it bounce harmlessly to the grass as the momentum of the grab brought them tumbling over and to the side.

 

JC tried to halt the movement, twisting around so that she’d land on top of him as he always did, but rather than just hit the ground, they rolled down the slope of the side yard, coming to a stop inside the huge pile of leaves his father had raked the day before.

“Oof!”  The air rushed from her lungs when he landed on top of her, his head pressing squarely on her chest, his body crushing her into the ground as the leaves settled back down over them, burying them underneath a thick colorful blanket. 

For a moment, it was just leaves around him, crunching under his knees as he realized that she was pinned underneath him, her chest rising and falling with heavy breaths, her heartbeat thundering beneath his ear. 

 

He didn’t even consider the softness pillowing his cheek, just laid there for a second to regain his bearings.

 

She tried to sit up but couldn’t and settled for raising her head, her shoulders barely leaving the ground when she felt his hair on her chin.  “God, that hurt.”

 

The words came from just above his ear and he could feel her jaw moving against the top of his head before she let herself fall back to lay flat on the ground, her voice vibrating in her chest below his cheek.  His eyes widened as it sank in exactly where his head was laying . . . and when he realized what he was using as a pillow, he stiffened, raising his head immediately.

 

“Hey . . .”

 

Her voice was soft as she shifted a little, rising up just enough that she was pressing against him.  With his sense of sight being limited by the darkness of their cover, his sense of touch was amplified, suddenly making him fully aware of every inch of her that was between him and the ground.  His eyes closed, his teenage male mind instantly bringing up an image of her in her usual loose clothing, mentally tightening the material until it resembled the curves he could now feel.  Long legs, rounded hips, flat stomach . . .

Whoa. 

He forced his eyes open, focusing on one small beam of light that pierced the darkness, illuminating her lips.  They were slightly upturned, as if she was trying not to smile, and full . . . and just a few inches away from him.

 

“Josh?”

 

His eyes stayed glued to her lips, studying the way they moved as she said his name, and he suddenly found himself considering how short of a distance those few inches really were.  All he had to do was move forward a little bit . . . let his head fall just a little and . . .

What if I kissed her? 

The thought was unexpected, shocking . . . and surprisingly appealing.  For just a second, he let his imagination run wild, scenarios of what it would be like, how it would feel flying through his mind.  He knew her lips would be soft . . . they’d always looked soft, had felt soft against his cheek, so he could just imagine how they’d actually feel against his own . . .

Are you crazy?  This is Jen, man.  Boof.  Your best friend.  You can’t kiss her!  What are you thinking? 

Out of nowhere, a little voice began screaming in the back of his brain, warning him of the consequences if he went through with what his instincts were telling him to do.

Yeah, it’s Jen.  And I want to kiss her.  What’s wrong with that? 

He blinked, disturbed by the internal argument, his attention still focused on her lips despite the conflict.

You want to kiss her?  When did that happen? 

I . . . I don’t know.  Maybe I’ve always wanted to kiss her.

 

That thought shook him a little, and he was slightly relieved when the negative voice fired right back.

No, you haven’t always wanted it.  There’s no way. 

But then those pesky instincts kept right on badgering. 

But . . . but I want to! 

No.  You can’t kiss her.  What’s she going to think if you kiss her right now?  Think, man! 

But . . . 

What’ll she do to you if you make a move on her right now? 

There was an internal sigh.

Knowing Boof . . . 

He groaned softly, his eyelids sliding closed as he gave up the fight with a whisper.  “She’d punch my lights out.”

 

“What?”  Her voice was worried and she lifted her hands, bringing them up to his shoulders so that she could give him a gentle shake.  “Josh?  Are you okay?”

 

His eyes popped open once again as she spoke, the sound penetrating through and bringing him back to his senses.  “Uh . . . y-yeah.”  He cleared his throat, forcing the unusual thoughts out of his mind.  “Yeah, I’m okay.  You?”

 

“I’m good.”  Her voice was laced with first relief, then laughter.  “Well?”

 

He blinked at her expectant tone.  “What?”

 

“This is cozy and all, but I’m kind of pinned here.”

 

“Uh huh.”  Even as the sound was leaving his mouth, his body refused to react, perfectly content in its present position.

 

“Josh.  I can’t breathe with you crushing me.”

 

“Oh . . . sorry.”  Cringing at the reluctance he could hear in his own voice, his hands moved through the leaves, searching for the ground so that he could push himself up.  Instead, his fingers brushed bare skin, her shirts having ridden up on their journey down the hill.  He froze, his fingertips not moving from her stomach, even more images leaping through his imagination.

 

“Yeah, that would be me.”  She took a deep breath and the smooth flesh moved beneath his touch, making her laugh.  “Okay, that tickles.” 

 

He remained quiet, hearing her but not comprehending a thing she said, completely focused on this new discovery.  Absently, his thumbs brushed back and forth over the baby soft skin just above the waistband of her jeans as his eyes trained on her lips once more.

Come on, man.  Just go for it. 

Don’t.  You’re not ready to go there, and neither is she. 

“Josh.”

 

“Hmmm?”  His voice was distracted as it carried through the darkness.

 

“Did you hit your head or something?”  Her fingers snapped next to his ear.  “Josh.”

 

He shook his head quickly, finally coming back to reality.  “What?”

 

“Are you sure you’re okay?”

 

“Yeah.  I’m fine.”

 

“Okayyy . . .”  She trailed off uncertainly.  “Well?”

 

There was that expectant tone again.  “What?”

 

“Are we going to get out of these leaves, or are you going to cop a feel while we’re under here?”  The grin rang clearly in her voice, her joking tone lowering to a dramatic whisper as she tightened her fingers on his shoulders, squeezing him through his sweatshirt.  “I won’t tell if you won’t.”  She laughed immediately after, making it obvious that she was nowhere near serious, but that didn’t soften the impact of her words.

 

And once again, he found himself considering something he’d never thought possible.

Go ahead.  Do it.  The worst she can do is hit you.  Or laugh at you.  Nobody’s going to see, anyway, so you can always . . . 

The voice faded away gradually, cheering him on as it went, and his fingers flexed against her instinctively.  Taking a deep breath, his eyes focused on her lips through the darkness and he felt himself moving down, down, down, until he was only a few inches away.  The sound of her breathing was so close, he could almost feel each exhalation against his lips.  He swallowed hard, closed his eyes and . . .

 

“He’d better not cop a feel under there.  Do you hear me, young man?”  Karen’s voice rang out loudly from somewhere close by their leafy prison, followed almost immediately by an explosive round of laughter from the direction of the front yard.

 

His head dropped onto her shoulder, completely missing the target he’d been aiming for just seconds before.  “Yeah, Mom.  I hear you.”  He groaned, feeling the blush spread up his neck, over his cheeks and all the way to the tips of his ears before speaking in a mortified whisper.  “She just had to yell it, didn’t she?”

 

“Oh, you know you want the guys out there to think that you might’ve gotten at least a little bit lucky.”  She was laughing full out now, her hands pushing gently against his shoulders.  “Come on, stud.  Let me up.”

 

The humor of the situation set in, and he began laughing along with her, letting his embarrassment melt away, taking the blush right along with it.  He kissed her on the cheek and let his hands release her to finally find the ground, then backed out of the leaves to sit beside the pile, reaching out to grab her legs and pull her out after him.

 

As he dragged her, she could feel her shirts moving up even further, her fingers immediately grabbing the hem of her tee shirt and yanking it down before her stomach was exposed to the entire Chasez clan.  The sun shone brightly and she blinked for a minute, her eyes adjusting to the light.

 

Karen was standing a few feet away with her camera, taking shot after shot, but neither of them paid her any attention, still laughing as they tried to dust off their clothing. 

 

Jen sat up with a grin, laughing even harder as she reached up to brush the leaves from his hair.  “You’re a mess.”

 

“Look who’s talking.”  A dark eyebrow arched as he raised his hand, pulling a twig from behind her ear.  “You look like you went three rounds with a leaf blower and lost.”

 

Her hair had come out of its ponytail and was hanging around her shoulders, leaves sticking out all over the place and making her neck itch.  His fingers combed through the dark strands, raking out the bits of leaves and twigs that were tangled there.  While he was working, his eyes focused on the shirt she was wearing and he couldn’t help but smile.  “I can’t believe you still wear that shirt.”

“Of course I still wear it.  It reminds me of you.”  She shrugged as her own smile appeared.  “Like you said . . . it’s like having a hug from you all the time.” 

“That’s only supposed to apply when I’m gone, Boof.  If you want a hug, all you have to do is ask.”  Without hesitation, he hauled her over and into his arms, hugging her soundly and trying to ignore the feel of the soft curves that he’d never paid attention to before.

 

When he pulled away, he felt her fingers brushing a smudge of dirt away from his cheek and he saw that she was grinning brightly . . . with a thin strip of red liquid trailing down the left side of her face.  His brow furrowed.  “Oh, man . . . I’m sorry.”

 

Her expression became confused.  “For what?”

 

His thumb brushed over the area next to her eye, uncovering the small scrape on her forehead before turning his hand to show her the blood.  “Are you sure you’re okay?”

 

“Yeah, I’m fine.”  She touched the spot gently.  “It’s just a scratch.  Nothing to worry about.”

 

“Maybe we should go inside and get you fixed up.”

 

“Josh.  It’s fine.”

 

His eyes moved over her from head to toe, checking her over to see if she was hiding anything else.  “I just . . .”

“Hey.”  Her hand came up to squeeze his shoulder.  “You can’t protect me from everything, you know.”   

He looked over her face again, taking in her small grin before letting his eyes rest on the scratch marring her otherwise smooth forehead.  She was smiling, in one piece, clearly not seriously hurt . . . but despite all that, he felt a pang of guilt for having allowed such a little thing to happen.

And you wanted to kiss her.  You think a little scratch is bad?  How badly would that have hurt her?  You idiot. 

Blinking against the voice in his mind, he shook his head slightly before returning her smile.  “Maybe not . . . but you can’t keep me from trying.”

 

“Okay, so you have a point.”  Her eyes narrowed.  “But don’t stress over it too much, okay?  I’m a big girl now and I can take care of myself.”  She smiled at him, then pushed against his shoulders until she was on her feet, holding a hand out to help him up.  “How about we go finish up the game?  I do believe my team was winning.”

 

He reached out and grasped her hand, pulling himself up with a grin.  “Yeah, you were winning.  But that’s probably gonna change, you know.”

 

“We’ll just see about that.  Come on.”  She took off running back to the front yard and toward her waiting team, leaving him behind to watch her.

 

 

Chapter Four - Part Two by Renee

 

 

His eyes moved of their own volition, traveling over her once, then twice, starting at the top of her dark hair and moving down her back, over her rear end and on down her legs as she moved toward the group of waiting boys.  Her shirts and jeans fit loosely, not hugging her at all, but if she would wear clothes that weren’t one or two sizes too big . . .

You don’t want to go there. 

Slowly, he started making his way up the hill and toward his own team, never taking his eyes away from her.

 

He watched as Aaron leaned closer to her, bringing his hand up to brush his fingers over the scratched area next to her eye.  The touch lingered a little too long to be simply concern and when she shook her head with a laugh and leaned into a tight hug, he felt a pang of . . . something shoot through his chest.

 

“Hey, Josh . . . come on, man.”

 

Jake’s voice caught his attention and he tore his eyes away from her and over to the group of guys to his left, intercepting the odd look that Steven was giving him.  “Sorry guys.”  He moved over to join the huddle.  “What’s the plan?”

 

Steven’s shoulder bumped against his.  “Hey, are you okay?”

 

“Yeah.  I’m fine.  Why?”

 

“You keep watching . . .”  Steven’s voice trailed off as realization set in, an evil grin spreading across his features.  “What exactly happened under those leaves, Josh?”

 

“Nothing.”  He shook his head quickly in denial.  “Absolutely nothing happened.”

 

“Uh huh.  The look on your face doesn’t say ‘nothing’.  It’s screaming ‘something’ loud and clear.”

 

“Well . . .”  His eyes shot back over to the other huddle, focusing immediately on the way Shane and Mike’s arms were draped around her shoulders.  That strange pang shot through him again.

 

“Seriously, man.  If I didn’t know any better . . . I’d say you were jealous of our cousins over there.”  Steven studied him for a moment.  “You are jealous.  Because they’re getting up close and personal with Jen.”

 

“Steve . . .”

 

“Hey, I’m just stating the obvious.”  His grin grew.  “You landed on top of her, didn’t you?”

 

“Steve!”  Blue eyes widened warningly.

 

“I can’t think of anything else that could’ve happened under there.  You finally figured out that she’s growing up in more ways than one.  You were on top, weren’t you?”

 

“Yeah, I landed on her.”  JC groaned quietly.  “God, Steve . . . I thought I finished puberty a few years ago.”

 

“Oh, it’s not that, kid.  Trust me.”  Steven laughed loudly.  “You just got torn violently out of the world of ‘Jen’s my best friend’ and thrown into the world of ‘Dang, Jen’s hot’.  And she is hot, Josh.  She’s a total fox.  I’m surprised it took you this long to figure it out.”

 

“Hrmm.”  He stared at the ground, at a total loss for what to say, and a grunt was all he could respond with.

 

“Aaron’s after her, you know.”  When JC’s eyes jerked up to meet his, Steven nodded.  “He has been for a while.  I think he knows that he’s not really the one for her, but he doesn’t care.”

 

“How do you know he isn’t?  Aaron’s a great guy and he’d be good to her.”

 

“Yeah, I know he’d treat her right.  But he isn’t . . .”  Steven’s voice trailed off and he studied JC carefully.

 

“He isn’t . . . what?”

 

“How can you not see it?”

 

“See what?”

 

“Man, do you really not see how perfect for each other you two are?”

 

JC’s eyes widened in surprise.  “What?”

 

“You and Jen.  I . . . I don’t even know how to explain it.  You guys just fit.  It’s like . . . well, she’s Boof.”

 

“Don’t call her that.”  The blue-eyed stare sharpened immediately.

 

“See?  I’m not even interested in her and you’re getting all edgy.”  A grin quickly followed the words.  “That’s not quite the reaction you should give when you’re trying to convince someone that she’s just your friend.”

 

“She’s more than that to me and you know it.  Jen is . . . she’s like my sister.”

 

“Yeah, right.”  Steven snorted.  “If I ever saw you look at Heather the way you were just looking at Jen . . . well, that’d be extremely freaky, Josh.”

 

“Oh shut up.”  JC reached up and punched his cousin’s shoulder.  “You know what I meant.”

 

“It’s obvious that you two love each other.”

 

“We’re best friends, Steve.  Of course we love each other.  But it’s a family kind of love.  That’s all.”

 

A dark eyebrow rose sharply, green eyes taking on an unreadable expression.  “You sure about that?”

No. 

He ignored the tiny, nagging voice and met Steven’s gaze confidently.  “Positive.”

 

“Okay, then.  How about we bet on it?”

 

“Are you serious?”

 

“Yeah.  If you’re so sure . . . then you don’t have anything to lose.”

 

JC’s eyes narrowed suspiciously.  “What kind of bet?”

 

“I’ll bet you five hundred bucks that you guys end up together by the time you turn . . . let’s say twenty-two.  That’ll be . . . what?  Thanksgiving of ninety-eight?  That gives you five years to pull those blinders off and see what you have right in front of you.”

 

“Do you even have five hundred dollars?”

 

“I’ve got five years to get it together . . . but I seriously doubt I’ll need it.”

 

JC looked back over to the other team, his eyes focusing on her once again.  He considered the chances, the possibilities and the random thoughts he’d had during those few minutes under the leaves.  Mentally, he stacked those up, measuring them against the odds . . .

There’s no way.  It’s not possible.   

With a confident grin, he turned back to his cousin.  “You’ve got a bet.  Will you even remember this in five years?”

 

Steven reached out and shook his hand.  “We’ll get it in writing after dinner.”  He watched as JC nodded, then turned back to the huddle, immediately joining the strategy talk.  Green eyes moved from his own team to the other, watching as she hugged Ty, her laughter carrying all the way across the yard.  He shook his head quickly, talking quietly to himself as he moved to join the huddle.  “You’d better start saving up, man.  You have no idea what you’re going to be dealing with in a few years.”

 

 

Chapter Five by Renee

January, 1994

He could hear the phone ringing as he fumbled with the key in the lock on the door, finally getting it open just as the answering machine picked up.

“Hey, you’ve reached me. Either I’m not here, or I don’t feel like talking …”

With a quick lunge, he grabbed up the receiver, cutting off the message before it could send through to record. “Hang on, I’m here.”

“Uh, hey. I didn’t think you’d be there this early.”

“Jen?” His eyes strayed over to the clock, his brow furrowing in confusion. “You’re, like, two hours early.”

“Yeah, I know.” Her voice had an odd tone to it.

“What’s going on? Are you all right?”

“Yeah. I’m fine. I just … I didn’t think you’d be there yet and I’m not going to be here tonight. I didn’t want you to get worried later when I didn’t call.”

“So you were just gonna leave a message?”

“Something like that.” He could hear her taking a deep breath. “I was kind of hoping you’d be there, but I know it’s Friday and it takes forever for you to get off the set before the weekend and I didn’t really think I’d catch you, so a message was the best thing I could think of.”

“Okay.” He smiled at her rambling and settled back into the couch cushions. “You sound nervous.”

“That’s because I am.”

“What’s up?”

“I have …” She trailed off with a quiet groan, obviously trying to find the right words. “God, this is so weird for me. I’m going out tonight.”

“What’s so weird about that? You go out all the time.”

“No, this isn’t like that.”

“Okay.” An image of her twisting her hair nervously leaped into his mind. “Then how is it?”

“Josh … I have a date tonight.”

With those five words, he got the eerie feeling that something inside him had shifted and it didn’t feel good. It didn’t feel right. There was something out of place, but he couldn’t quite put his finger on what it was or what he needed to do to fix it. Then that sick feeling streaked through him, forcing him to close his eyes until the unusual wave had passed.

“Josh?”

“I’m here.” He cleared his throat, trying his best to shake off the odd feelings and focus his attention back on her. “That … that’s awesome, Boof. Who is he? Do I know him?”

“It’s Luke. Dingess.”

“Luke?” His brain raced through memories until he thought he had a match. “Wasn’t he the kid who pushed you down the bleachers in the fifth grade?”

“Yeah. That’s him.”

“And then I punched him and got detention for a week.”

“But his black eye was around for days longer than you were in detention. I still don’t think he’s forgiven you for that.”

“Really?” For a second, confusion wrinkled his brow. “How do you figure?”

“He said something about it. That he’d made sure to wait until you left last week to ask me because he didn’t want you to take another swing at him.”

“Smart guy.”

“Josh …” She sighed at his rough tone.

“What? You can’t say he didn’t deserve it the first time.” His voice became exceedingly defensive. “He pushed you from the top of the bleachers and laughed when you started crying. Somebody’s got to look out for you, Jenny.”

“I think I do well enough on my own. I’m not a little kid anymore.” Muted laughter carried over the line. “It’s just dinner. Maybe a movie or something. I don’t think it’s anything for you to get all worked up about.”

“Has he really changed that much?”

“I think he has. It’s been more than six years, so I’d hope he’s matured since that whole mess went down. He … well, he treats me differently.”

“Oh, I’m sure he does.” Blue eyes narrowed at the ceiling, that burning feeling rising in him no matter how hard he fought against it. “You’re positive he’s changed? He’s actually a good guy?”

“Well, everybody at school seems to think so. He’s captain of the soccer team, senior class president, shoo-in for Prom King. You get the picture.”

“Wow.” He listened to her breathing for a moment, trying to figure out the right way to handle the situation. “Are you excited?”

“I’m more nervous than excited.” She swallowed loudly. “My first date and it had to be with him? Why couldn’t I have started out with the chess club or the debate team and worked my way up?”

“Boof, dating isn’t like a boxing tournament.” The laughter came out before he could stop it. “You don’t start out easy and work your way up through the ranks. You start wherever you get the opportunity.”

“I’m just getting a later start than most.”

“Well, that’s their loss, then. Isn’t it?” He shook his head, knowing that she’d know he was doing it. “Just because nobody’s taken a chance with you until now doesn’t mean anything other than they missed out on something fantastic.”

“Thanks.” She took another deep breath. “So … you approve?”

“You’re the one who’s going out with him. Would it really make a difference what I thought?”

“Well, yeah. It would.”

“It would?” The surprise in his voice was unfiltered, making it obvious that she’d caught him off guard. “Why?”

“I figure that my Dad should be the one to give his approval, but he’s not here to do it. And I trust you more than anyone else on the planet.” There was a brief pause on her end. “I need to hear it, even if you aren’t here with me.”

His teeth worked over his lip as he considered what she was telling him.

“If you don’t like him, I’ll play sick and get out of it.”

“No, you won’t.”

“Yes, I will. You know I will.”

That was the kicker. He was well aware that yes, she would back out of the date if he didn’t think she should go. Everything in him was screaming to do just that, to find fault in Luke so that she wouldn’t go out with him. But he could hear the nervous excitement in her voice, could sense her anticipation for the night ahead, and knew that he couldn’t do that to her. His protective instincts would have to take a backseat this time, along with his lingering dislike for the guy that he could only barely remember.

“If you’re so sure about him …” With a quiet sigh, he pushed down the lump in his throat. “He’d better keep his hands to himself. And if he tries anything, you’d better be the one to let me know.”

“Well, yeah.”

“And be home before midnight.”

“You’re being generous.” He could hear the smile in her voice. “Mom says eleven.”

“That’s even better.” His fingers pinched at the bridge of his nose. “All right.”

“All right?”

“Have fun.”

“You’re sure?”

“Positive. Go out and have fun tonight.”

“Josh, I …” Whatever she was about to say died on the line. “Thank you.”

“Hey, no problem.” He sat up, his eyes locking on the wall in front of him. “When’s he picking you up?”

“At seven.”

“It’s nearly six now. Don’t you think you should start getting ready?”

“It won’t take me that long.”

“Said like a true amateur.” A smile crossed his face at her affronted tone. “Give yourself the extra time, Boof. You’re about to enter the freak zone. Trust me.”

“Uh, okay.” Her voice became unsure. “Can … can I call you tomorrow?”

“Sure. Or tonight after you get in. I’ll be able to sleep easier once I know whether or not I need to fly home and go another round with Dingess.”

“It’ll be fine.” She laughed softly. “But I guess you’re right. I should probably go.”

“Okay. Have fun.”

“I’ll talk to you later, Josh.”

The dial tone sounded in his ear and he just sat there, holding the phone and listening to the monotonous buzzing. The buzz turned into a busy signal, and he finally regained enough of his senses to end the connection. He continued to stare at the handset, that burning feeling rising up in him once again.

“Okay, what’s up with this? She’s going out on a date. So what?” His voice seemed to echo through the empty apartment as he spoke aloud, finally dropping the phone so that he could run both hands through his hair. “It didn’t feel weird when I started dating, so why does it feel weird when she does?”

Because you didn’t have anything to be jealous of when you started dating.

“What? No.” He blinked quickly. “I’m not jealous.”

Yes, you are. Admit it.

“That’s crazy. Why would I be jealous?”

You’ve always been the guy in her life. Now you’ll have to start sharing her.

“That … that’s not a big deal.”

Yes, it is.

“No, it’s not.”

She’s going to have someone else to share her secrets with, to call when she has a problem, to laugh with. She’ll have another shoulder to cry on …

“Okay, that’s enough.” His teeth clamped down on his bottom lip, the burning reaching an all new level. “Stop it.”

The calls every other night will have to stop, you’ll have to share her phone time. No more movie nights, he won’t like that. No more dinners out, her nights will be booked.

“That’s not totally true. She’s still going to be my best friend. We … we have an agreement.”

It’s not going to be the same.

“No, it won’t be the same, but …”

You’ll have to sit back and know that she’s out with someone else instead of hanging out with you. And you’re so jealous you can’t see straight.

“All right. Yes, I’m jealous. Are you happy now?”

Are you?

“I can’t believe I’m sitting here arguing with myself.” A deep sigh escaped. “Yes, I’m jealous that she’s giving Dingess her time. But if that makes her happy, then that’s what she should do. We’ll have to change some things, but it’ll all work out in the end.”

You sure about that?

“Yes. No matter what, we’ll always be friends. If she’s happy, then I’m happy.”

Right. Just keep telling yourself …

He snatched up the remote and flipped on the television, drowning out the voice inside his head. Settling back to watch the mind-numbing evening sitcoms, he relaxed down into a slouch, content to sit and nurse his jealousy until it finally faded with the opening credits of Family Matters.

--------------------------------------------------

April 19, 1994

“I can’t believe it’s already the middle of April.”

“I know, right?” Lisa looked up from where she was peeling potatoes, her eyes shifting over to Jen, who was watching over a pot of pasta. “Time’s flying, isn’t it?” She sighed. “In six weeks, you’ll be a high school graduate.”

“You make it sound like you didn’t know it was coming.” Jen let out a quiet laugh. “I didn’t become a senior overnight, Mom.”

“I know. It seems like it sometimes, though.” The older woman studied her daughter for a moment before turning her attention back to the potato in her hand. “Have they announced the dates for the end of year stuff?”

“Yeah. They gave us a handout with all that last week.” Grasping the pot firmly, she lifted it over to the sink, carefully draining the water from the slithery noodles. “Seems like they want everything later than usual and crammed it all into May. Prom’s on the thirteenth, then they have the senior class picnic on the twenty-first and all the other stuff like chorus and band concerts and honors and sports banquets and all that spread out all over the place.”

“And graduation?”

“The first weekend in June.” She shook the pot, loosening the noodles from the bottom. “The Class Night ceremony and dance are on the third and graduation is on the fourth.”

“Sounds exciting.”

“It will be. I don’t think it’s going to really sink in until they start making the announcements for half days, though.”

“That was always the best part.” Lisa laughed, moving over to rinse the skinless potatoes so that she could start cutting them. “Have you bought your prom dress yet?”

“Yeah, but I’m thinking I won’t be needing it.”

“You won’t?” The surprise in her voice was obvious. “What happened to Luke?”

“We … uh, he kinda dumped me. Last week.”

“Oh, honey. I’m sorry.”

“Hey, it’s no big deal. He fell victim to the cheerleader skirt.”

“What?”

“Macie Wilkins grabbed his attention.”

“Who’s Macie Wilkins?”

“Life-size Barbie doll. Head cheerleader. Most likely to be Prom Queen.”

“Hmmm.” Lisa’s forehead puckered. “And he just dropped you like that?”

“Yep.”

“I thought better than that of Luke.”

“Yeah, well, he’ll get his.” Jen laughed under her breath. “Macie is … let’s just say she’s dumb as a rock. And has a personality to match.”

“Okay, but just because Luke is out of the picture doesn’t mean you shouldn’t plan on going.”

“Nobody’s going to ask me, so why waste the money on a dress I’ll never wear? I was going to take it back tomorrow.”

“Jen, it’s your senior prom. You should go.” Lisa finished with the potatoes and dropped them into the pan, stepping back when the oil coating the bottom began to pop and hiss. “It’s all right to go by yourself, you know.”

“Now, that would show what a winner I am.” She raised her hand and waved it wildly over her head. “‘Look everybody, I came alone to the prom!’” Shaking her head, she opened the cabinet and pulled out a jar of Prego. “Nothing says ‘loser’ better than that.”

“It’s three weeks away, sweetie. Keep the dress. I’m sure one of the guys out there will come to his senses and ask you.”

“I don’t know, Mom. I could always save the money and do something special this summer.”

“Sure, you could do that. But this is your senior year. The last prom you’ll ever have. You’ll regret it if you just give up and don’t go.”

“Well …” Her fingers played with the edge of the bottle’s lid, tapping for a second before twisting it open. “Maybe you’re right.”

“Hang on to the dress. You can always take it back if you decide not to go.”

“Hmm.” Silence fell over the room as she thought it over. “You know what, Mom? I think I will.” Pouring the sauce over the pasta, she looked up with a smile. “What do you think? Should I doctor it a bit, or do you want it as is?”

“By all means, doctor away, honey.” With a laugh, Lisa glanced over as Jen began reaching up into the cabinets for a collection of spices. The girl’s sleeve slid down with her movement, revealing a bruise that seemed to be healing on her right arm. “What happened, baby?” She put her hand on Jen’s shoulder, taking a closer look when she noticed the reddened skin of her forearm. “Did you hurt yourself?”

“Yeah.” Blinking quickly, Jen let out a shaky laugh as she moved away, pulling her sleeve back into place. “I was trying to go around some kids in the hall and cut it too close to the lockers. Knocked myself pretty good.” Shrugging indifferently, she began shaking one of the seasonings over their pasta. “It looks a lot better now than it did last week.”

“Didn’t you say you fell down the stairs last week, too?” Lisa gave her a concerned look. “Your hip was bothering you. Are you sure you’re okay? You aren’t feeling dizzy or anything, are you?”

“I’m fine, Mom.” Swapping containers, she carefully added some spice to the bowl. “I’ve just been in a hurry lately and had a bad week. Clumsiness heals, I promise.”

“Okay.” Her maternal instincts were waving huge red flags, but she knew better than to push. “Just be careful, okay?”

“I will.”

*********************

Two Weeks Later

“Hey, Mom?” Footsteps moved softly overhead, moving toward the stairs. “You down there?”

“In the dining room.” Lisa leaned forward across the table, waiting for the shadow to appear at the foot of the stairs. “What’s up?”

“Could you do me a favor?”

“Sure, hon. What is it?”

“Hang on.” Jen stopped beside her, sifting through the slips of paper in her hand. “Let me find the right one.” Reaching in her pocket, she pulled out another handful of receipts. “If I’ve lost it … oh, here it is.” She held out the slip of paper. “I’m going to get the dress packed back up in its bag, but I’m not going to have a chance to run it by the store. Could you return it for me whenever you get a free minute?”

“Return it?”

“Yeah.” Her brown ponytail bounced as she nodded quickly. “It’s a good thing I’ll be able to get the money back for it. I can’t believe I laid down a hundred and fifty dollars for a dress.”

“Wait. You’re returning your prom dress? Why?”

“Mom, it’s a little over a week until the dance. Everybody who’s going to have a date has one.”

“You don’t have to have a date to go to the prom, Jen. Find a few friends and go together.”

“All my friends have dates. I’d stick out like a sore thumb.”

“Since when do you care about that?” Motherly eyes trailed over her from head to toe, taking in the miserable shifting of her feet. “You know you want to go. Why won’t you?”

“I don’t want to have to go and see him having the time of his life while I’m stuck by myself.” With a deep sigh, Jen sank into the seat across the table. “They throw it in my face every day as it is, and I don’t want it to ruin something as special as this is supposed to be.”

“So you’re just going to duck and run?”

“I guess so.”

“Jen, what happened to the girl who wouldn’t let anybody knock her down?”

“She got knocked a little harder this last time.” She took a shaky breath. “It hurt, Mom. I try to pretend that I’m okay with it and that it doesn’t faze me at all, but it hurt. More than it should have.”

“Sweetie, we all get hurt. It’s part of life. Especially high school life.”

“I know that.”

“Was he really so important to you?”

“No, it wasn’t that he was important. It was just so nice to have somebody that I thought cared for me, you know?” Raising her hands, she covered her face, her elbows resting on the tabletop. “He could’ve picked any of a hundred girls, but he picked me. That made me feel special. And when he finally figured that he’d wasted enough of his time …”

“He wasn’t wasting his time, Jen.”

“Actually, yeah. According to him, he was.”

“What?” Lisa’s eyes widened in surprise. “He had the nerve to come out and say that to you?”

“Yep. He pretty much always had something to say.” Her teeth worked on her bottom lip as she refused to look up. “I’m not tall enough. A size eight isn’t small enough. I’d look better with blonde hair.” She cleared her throat quietly. “And he’ll be surprised if another guy is dumb enough to waste his time on me.”

“This boy … someone needs to have a serious talk with Luke Dingess.”

“No. It’s okay, Mom. He’s …”

“Don’t you dare tell me that you think he’s right.” Her eyes flashed with anger. “You couldn’t possibly …”

“Mom. Stop.” Jen held up a hand. “I know he’s full of crap and just trying to make me feel bad. It hurt at the time, but it’s fine now.” The older woman’s eyebrow arched sharply and she looked down sheepishly. “Okay, so maybe it’s not fine, but I’m working on it.” A grin spread across her face. “That rush I got from knocking him flat in front of the guy’s locker room definitely made up for some of it.”

“Really?” Anger melted away to laughter. “Face or stomach?”

“Umm, both. But I think he felt the one to his face more.” Her fist clinched. “I was sore from that one for a few days myself. Those self-defense classes they had us take didn’t warn us how much it’d hurt when you weren’t wearing the boxing gloves.”

That’s my girl.”

They laughed together for a little while, before sobering.

“I still don’t think it would be very smart for me to put myself through that, though.” Jen slid the receipt across the table to leave it next to her mother’s hand. “Not by myself. And since nobody else is stepping up to the plate …” Brown eyes became pleading. “Could you please do this for me?”

“You’re sure?”

“I’m positive. Just … please, Mom?”

“Okay.” With a sigh, Lisa picked up the slip of paper and leaned over to tuck it into the side pocket of her purse. “Get it ready and lay it out for me. I’ll take care of it when I can.”

“Thanks.” A small smile graced her features as she stood, then made her way back up the stairs and to her room.

After a few minutes, Lisa stood and followed, moving quietly until she was just outside the bedroom door. Jen was standing in front of her mirror, holding the dress to her front with a sad smile just slightly lifting the corners of her lips. With a quick shake of her head, she turned away, clipping the dress back to its hanger and carefully sliding it into the clear garment bag hanging on the back of the closet door. Once she was sure that the long skirt was clear of the zipper, she zipped it closed and took a step away, biting her lip as a tear went sliding down her cheek.

“Ugh. Don’t be stupid, Jen.” With a frustrated sigh, she wiped the tear away, giving herself a mental shake. “You can’t be attached to a dress. It’s just a bunch of purple fabric. There’ll be plenty others. No matter how perfect it is, you can let this one go.” She looked up when her mother walked in, pasting a quick smile on her face. “I’ve got it ready.”

“Go ahead and take it down to the car. I’ll try to get to it this week, but I can’t guarantee anything.”

“That’s okay. It doesn’t really matter when it gets there, as long as it does. Just don’t lose the receipt and we’re good.” Her voice trailed off as she made her way down the stairs, leaving Lisa standing in her room. “Too bad I can’t take back the shoes. That’d be another fifty bucks.”

Lisa just stood there, her eyes moving carefully over the room until they landed on the photos displayed across the top of the dresser. She studied the smiling pair in each picture, a photographic history of the past decade or more, and an idea began to spring to life. Her conscience – or maybe it was her common sense – immediately kicked in. “No. She’ll handle it all right on her own. I shouldn’t butt in.”

With that, she turned and walked out of the room and back down the stairs, shoving the idea away, ignoring it completely. At least, until two days later, when she was parked in front of the store the dress had come from. She twisted in the driver’s seat, looking over her shoulder at the dress, tucked safely away in its protective bag. Turning back around, her gaze landed on the receipt sticking out of the side pocket of her purse. Then she remembered the sad look on Jen’s face as she’d stood in front of the mirror, modeling the look for herself one last time, and knew she’d never be able to return it.

The key was turned in the ignition, the car was put in gear and, after a quick stop at the bank, she sped home, hoping that she’d have an empty house long enough to get everything done.

Carefully, the dress was hung in her own closet, bag and all, before Lisa returned to Jen’s bedroom, this time to search through the address book that was always on the desk, between her journal and phone. Flipping through a few pages, she quickly found the number she was looking for and grabbed a pen and a piece of paper so that she could jot the digits down, then she shut the book and looked over the desk, making sure that everything was exactly as she’d found it.

Reaching into her pocket, she pulled out the green bills and laid them on the desktop, pausing long enough to write I took the shoes back, too on a slip of paper for her to find with the money. She made her way over to the closet and picked up the box with the new shoes, taking them to her own room and hiding them with the dress.

Then she was sitting at the dining room table, the phone number and the cordless phone lying in front of her. Biting her lip, she contemplated whether or not this was the smartest thing to do.

“He’ll be surprised if another guy is dumb enough to waste his time on me.”

The anger sparked in her once again and she reached out to snatch up the phone. “She’ll have my nosy head on a platter, but heaven help me, she’s going to show that boy just what he’s missing out on.”

Her fingers moved quickly over the numbers and she took a deep breath as she waited for an answer.

One ring. Two rings. Three …

“Hello?”

Please let this be the right thing …

--------------------------------------------------

May 13, 1994

“Mom! What do you mean I have a date for tonight?” Jen’s face turned red in embarrassment. “I don’t need you getting dates for me! Do you have any idea how pathetic that makes me look?”

“Well, honey, I didn’t think you’d take it that badly. I’m sorry I stepped on your toes, but this young man is in town for the weekend and he used to go to your high school. He thought it’d be nice to go, and I figured you wanted to go, so I worked it out.”

“I don’t even know this guy! What if he’s a complete loser?”

“Would I set you up with a loser? Come on, sweetie. Give it a chance. You’ll go to the dance like I know you’ve wanted with a perfectly nice young man and you’ll get to wear that gorgeous dress you bought.”

“The dress?” Brown eyes widened instantly. “I don’t have a dress! You took it back, remember? The shoes, too.”

“It’s hanging upstairs in my closet. The shoes are there, too.”

“You … you didn’t return them?”

“No. After seeing your face, I couldn’t.”

“But that money …” Jen’s brow furrowed and she shook her head. “Two hundred dollars is a lot, Mom.”

“Consider it an early graduation gift.” Lisa smiled, reaching up to push her daughter’s hair out of her face. “Now go hop in the shower. You don’t have a lot of time and your hair will take a while.”

“Mom, I just don’t think …”

“Look, Jen. I know you want to go. You know you want to go. And this way, you can show the Dingess boy that there is a guy out there who’s smart enough to take full advantage of the awesome girl that you are.” She looked pointedly at the clock on the wall. “Now go on and get ready. It’s after four and he’ll be here at six thirty.”

Jen sighed, chewing on her lip as she studied her mother’s face. She’d seen that look before. Persistent. Stubborn.

Yes, she’d definitely seen that look before. Many times. In the mirror.

“Okay. Whatever. But if this is a disaster, it’s all your fault.” She threw her hands in the air as she turned and made her way up the stairs, grumbling quietly. As she walked into her room and closed the door, she weighed the situation in her mind.

She had a date. A blind date, but a date, nonetheless. If it went sour, she could blame her mom. If it went well … well, maybe this could be a life-changing experience.

Knowing that she was stuck, she heaved out a sigh and made her way to the bathroom for a quick shower. By the time she’d come back into her room, everything that she needed was laid out for her: dress, shoes, makeup and all.

A smile spread across her face when her gaze landed on the strapless purple gown. The material had been her main reason for buying it, a heavenly cotton with almost a silky feel that hung all the way down to her feet and swished around her legs when she moved. The bodice fit the curves of her figure perfectly, the cut leaving her collar bone and upper back bare, showing just the right amount of skin to classify as respectable.

She reveled in the feel of the gown as she worked her dark hair into a simple up-style that left her neck bare, but let a few loose strands frame her face. Carefully, she applied a light coat of makeup to her tanned skin, using the smallest amount of color to accent her brown eyes and high cheekbones, her lips tinted with a shimmering gloss.

Time flew away from her and the next thing she knew, the doorbell was ringing downstairs, jarring her from her concentration.

With a quick glance at the clock, she saw that it was already six thirty, meaning that, if nothing else, her date was punctual. Rising quickly from her seat, she spritzed on the tiniest bit of perfume, slipped on the high heels dyed to match the gown and grabbed up the small beaded bag that had come with it.

“Honey, he’s here!”

“Be right down!” One last look in the mirror, a deep breath to calm her nerves, and she was on her way down the stairs. Her heart was beating so loudly, blocking all noise from her ears, she was sure it could be heard all through the house. As she descended the staircase, her eyes darted back and forth across the foyer, suspicion setting in when she saw no one.

Agitated, she pasted a welcoming smile on her face and rounded the corner into the living room, freezing as the flash went off in her eyes. “Good grief, Mom. You don’t have to blind me.” She blinked to clear the spots from her vision, only to see Lisa standing alone in the room. “Okay, what’s going on? Where’s this mystery guy you’ve talked into taking me?”

“He’s right here.”

Whirling around at the familiar voice, her eyes widened in shock when she saw him leaning against the doorjamb. “Josh?”

“Hi.” He smiled, stepping away from the doorway. “Were you expecting someone else?”

“Oh. My. God! You’re here!” She moved the few steps toward him and threw her arms around his neck, hugging him with all her might. “You’re really here!”

“Yeah, I’m here.” His grin widened and he tightened his arms around her, his eyes closing as he held her as closely as he could. “I wouldn’t miss this for anything, Jen.”

For some reason, she couldn’t make herself let him go. She turned to look at her mother, her head resting on his shoulder. “How did you …?” When the flash went off in her face again, she paused, trying to blink away the temporary blindness. “You know what, never mind. I don’t want to know how you pulled it off.” Her head tilted back, allowing her to smile at him again. “I’m just glad you’re here.”

“Okay guys. Let me get a few more pictures, then you can go. You look great together.”

Wow.” His eyes grew large as they moved over her, taking his first good look. Giving a low whistle, he wrapped his arm around her waist, pulling her to his side for the traditional dance photo. “You look fantastic, Boof. I’m gonna have to beat all the guys off with a stick.”

“Thanks.” She looked up at him, her smile lighting up her eyes. “You don’t look too bad yourself. Maybe I can get a dance or two in before the girls take you away from me.”

“Not a chance.” The last flash dimmed, and they turned to leave, his hand still resting on her hip. “I’m all yours.”

“Have fun, kids!” Lisa leaned out the door as they talked all the way to the car. “Be careful!”

They waved back before he put the car in reverse and backed out of the driveway.

*********************

“I’m gonna go grab some punch.” She stepped away from him as the song ended, smiling as she gestured to the refreshment table. “Do you want any?”

“Sure.” His eyes followed her as she walked across the room, watching as she was stopped by several people for a quick chat, always ending with a bright smile and a laugh. A soft smile was just beginning to lift the corners of his mouth when he felt a crawling sensation on his neck, as though someone were staring at him. With a quick shudder, he turned his head, doing a quick scan of the room until he spotted the pencil-thin blonde who’d been tailing him since she’d arrived, her blue eyes trained pointedly on him.

She gave him a flirtatious smile, not even looking away when a masculine arm went around her waist. When she crooked her finger at him in an obvious summons, he just rolled his eyes, ignoring the slightly shocked look that crossed her face at his dismissal. His gaze moved over to her companion, dark eyebrows arching when he found Luke Dingess standing there, his attention focused on something other than the attractive girl he’d snagged as a date.

Ah. So this must be Macie.

As he made the connection, he unconsciously followed the direction of Luke’s stare, coming to land on Jen, standing a few feet away from the refreshment table, talking to the guy who’d been acting as DJ. Of course, she was oblivious to the attention, continuing on with her conversation as if nothing was out of the ordinary. But when Luke entered his line of sight, moving purposefully toward her, JC knew that things were about to get very un-ordinary. He tensed, taking two steps before a hand grabbed his arm, holding him still.

“Don’t run off now, cutie.” Blonde hair was tossed over her bare shoulder as blue eyes batted innocently up at him. “What’s your name?”

“People who matter call me Josh.” His gaze moved over her quickly, his expression darkening in something akin to disgust. “You can call me JC. Let go of me.” He shook her off and made quick tracks across the room, where Jen was now standing with Luke, her expression incredulous as he spoke to her.

“You can’t be serious.” Her voice was soft, but he heard her loud and clear. And by the narrowing of Luke’s eyes, JC was positive that he’d heard her, too.

But that didn’t keep him from yammering on. “Jen, come on. You know you want me.”

“Seriously? After what you put me through?” She laughed humorlessly, shaking her head. “You must be joking.”

Without a second thought, JC pushed his way next to her, his arm going around her and pulling her to him. “Of course he’s joking.” He smiled at her quickly, leaning down to kiss her cheek before turning to let serious eyes move over the guy in front of him, making no secret to the people watching them that he was sizing up the jock. “But then, I guess he really could be as dumb as he looks.”

A measuring look was passed between the two teens, Luke turning red at the insult and JC fighting not to join in with the laughter around them. He felt Jen’s arm sliding around his waist, her hand flattening against his hip, and when he looked down he was met with a set of worried brown eyes, darting back and forth between the two of them, and he finally realized how dangerous the situation could get.

The DJ turned the volume of the music up slightly, the beat of the song pulsing around the room, bringing more people to the dance floor.

“Come on, Josh.” She stepped back until her hand could grab his and pulled on him gently. “Forget about him and dance with me.”

He didn’t say another word, just let her lead him away and out to join the other dancing couples, his attention torn away from Luke, who was grumbling behind them, to focus solely on her.

They finally came to a stop on the other side of the crowd, where she turned back to him with a shaky smile. “Josh …”

“I know, I know. I’m sorry.” He sighed, relaxing slightly when he felt her arms around his neck. “He just … God, he’s such a jerk.”

“Yeah, he is.” She blinked quickly, taking a deep breath as the panic left her. “But he’s twice your size and wouldn’t have given a second thought about taking you down.”

“No.” His head shook back and forth in denial. “He …”

“He could’ve hurt you.” Her fingers fisted behind his neck and he was surprised to see the wetness forming in her eyes. “Don’t shield me like that, okay? I know what he can do, and I couldn’t handle it if you got hurt for me.”

She took a ragged breath, the trembling of her hands obvious against his skin, and he instinctively hugged his arms around her, pulling her tight against him. “Hey, it’s all right.” His voice was soft, his head bent down so she could hear him over the music. “Nobody got hurt. Everything’s fine.”

“I know.”

“He’s not going to hurt anybody.” He straightened up just enough to be able to see her face. “He can’t hurt you again, Boof. Not unless you let him.”

“Yeah.” Another deep breath, then she nodded, her eyes closed tightly. “I know.”

“Okay.” One of his hands moved to the side of her face, his thumb brushing gently across her cheek. “Then how about you open your eyes and convince me that you mean it?”

Immediately, her eyes opened, meeting his stare dead on. “I know he can’t hurt me again. I’m not stupid enough to give him the chance.” A smirk lifted the corner of her mouth. “Besides, I think he figured out a few weeks ago not to tangle with me.”

“He figured out … oh, no way.” He laughed softly, his arm moving back down until his hand was on her hip. “You punched him?”

“What else was I supposed to do? He’d just gotten finished telling me how lousy a girlfriend I was and … well, I got mad. He wound up falling through the door into the guy’s locker room.”

“Doesn’t that door open outward?”

“Yeah.” She shrugged. “What can I say? He’s a big guy and he was falling pretty hard.” Her face lightened with her grin. “Coach Jacobs saw the whole thing and wanted to give me a place on the boxing team. I had to decline.”

They laughed together for a while, relaxing against each other, forgetting about the negatives from a few minutes earlier and focusing on the positives of being able to be there, dancing through a long string of slow ballads and driving rock songs.

Suddenly, the music stopped, a loud “All right, kids, listen up!” ringing across the P.A. system. A collective groan rose from the crowd as every head turned to the stage in the corner, where the teachers who headed the dance committee had gathered.

“Oh, don’t give me that.” A short woman had stepped up to the microphone, an envelope in her hands. “Mr. Everly would have my head if he didn’t have pictures of the King and Queen for the yearbook, so let’s get this over with and you all can go back to dancing. If you were nominated, come up on the stage.”

He turned when he heard her grumbling, reaching out to grab her hand as she began to walk away. “Hey. Going somewhere?”

“Yeah, I guess I am.” Her lips turned up slightly as she gestured toward the stage with her free hand. “I was nominated, so I should probably get up there.”

“Seriously?”

“My name was on the ballot and everything.” Even if it was just another way for Luke to torture me. She mustered up a grin for the people who were staring at them, then turned, looking pointedly down to where he was still grasping her hand. “Think you can let me go? It shouldn’t take me very long to lose this thing.”

His eyes moved quickly from side to side before landing back on her, his own smile forming as he released her. “Sure thing. Good luck, Boof.”

A laugh carried back to him as she walked away, his smile growing as he saw how many people tapped her shoulder, wishing her luck. She climbed the steps, joining Macie and two other girls on the right side of the stage while Luke and three other guys stood on the left.

There was no surprise when Luke was announced as King and he grinned widely as he leaned down for them to place the crown on his head. He turned and winked at the girls across the stage, earning an exaggerated eye roll from Jen and a knowing smile from Macie, who had already begun inching forward and closer to the center of the stage.

“And your Prom Queen for the class of 1994 is …” The elderly teacher, Ms. Gibbs, paused for emphasis, then read the name. “Jennifer Lawson.”

The crowd erupted into applause, the cheers melting into laughter at the shocked expressions on the girls’ faces as they looked at each other, both having fully expected for Macie to take it by a landslide. The petite redhead standing beside Jen pushed her gently, forcing her to step ahead of Macie and accept the crown.

Embarrassed tears began to form as the plastic crown was arranged on her head, and wide brown eyes moved over the faces, stopping only when they found that familiar blue gaze. When she spotted him in the crowd, grinning proudly and giving her a thumbs-up before applauding and cheering loudly with the rest of the well-dressed teens, she had to swallow back her mortification, forcing what she hoped was a passable smile.

“Come on, Jen. They need to take the picture now.” She was pulled over to the side of the stage, where she found Luke and a photographer waiting. “Just stand right there next to him and ya’ll can do the dance thing.”

“Do we have to do this together?” Luke smiled at her as she came closer, not caring that she looked far from pleased at the idea. “Can’t you just have a picture of him and a picture of me?”

“Sorry, kid.” The photographer shook his head. “One page, one picture. Come on, move on in. He won’t bite.”

“Yeah, right.” Reluctantly, she stepped over beside him and pasted a smile on her face. He shifted, moving his arm behind her, and she turned her head to send him a deadly glare. “Don’t you dare touch me, Luke, or that crown’s going to get shoved in a place it was never meant to be.” Her voice was loud, carrying over the room, and a swell of laughter rose from the crowd as Luke’s ears turned red in embarrassment. His arm fell back to his side and she returned to smiling at the camera, relief spreading through her when the flash went off for the last time.

“Not so fast, honey.” She was moving away, ready to go down the stairs and back into the safety of the crowd when a hand grabbed her arm. “You’ve still got the King and Queen dance.”

“Oh, God, this is a nightmare.” Her shoulders heaved with her groan and she shook her head. “Ms. Gibbs … I can’t dance with him.”

“Sure you can. Come on, kids.” The older woman gestured to Luke, summoning him over as she stepped back up to the microphone. “Now we’ll have the traditional King and Queen dance. Please clear the dance floor.”

Jen felt fingers grasp her wrist and turned to find Luke steering her down the stairs and out onto the empty floor. “It’s gonna be kind of hard for me to not touch you when we’re supposed to dance, isn’t it?” The lights dimmed and the music began, a slow melody carrying over the room, and he opened his arms to her. “Come on, Jen. Dance with your king.”

Her eyes darted around the dark room, searching the shadows intently before she finally smiled at something over his shoulder. “There’s just one problem with that, Luke.”

“Really?” His brows arched in surprise. “What’s that?”

“I didn’t vote for you, which means you aren’t my king.” Grinning up at him, she patted his shoulder and stepped around him. “So I think I’ll have to pass.” A murmur went around the room as she moved quickly across the floor, her features growing brighter with each step until she was able to hold out her hand in invitation. “How about it? Think you can dance with a queen?”

“Sure, but only because it’s you.” JC smiled, allowing her to take his hand and pull him out onto the floor. When her arms went around his neck, he let his own tighten around her waist, pulling her just that little bit closer. “You’re blowing tradition out of the water, you know.”

“Yeah, I know.” She laughed softly, leaning forward until she was resting against his shoulder, her forehead brushing the side of his neck. “But this is our song. I can’t dance to it with anybody but you.”

“We have a song?” His head tilted down, his whisper surprised. “Really?”

“Uh huh.” The crown scratched the sensitive skin beneath his ear as she nodded, her eyes closing. “Just listen. You’ll see why.”

He fell silent and listened to the music, trying to ignore the feel of her fingers on his neck, the chills that kept going down his spine, as they swayed slowly to the beat.

When I see you smile, I can face the world
Oh, you know I can do anything
When I see you smile, I see a ray of light
Oh, I see it shining right through the rain
When I see you smile
Baby, when I see you smile at me


Of their own accord, his arms tightened around her and he didn’t even realize that his head was moving until he felt his cheek resting against her temple, the soft strands of hair framing her face tickling his chin. She sighed, settling herself comfortably against him, and he closed his eyes when her fingers began combing through his hair, breathing deeply as he smiled.

In that moment, something clicked. He felt a peace settle in, happiness surging through him as they continued to dance, oblivious to any and everything around them. His heart skipped a few beats as he kissed the side of her head, a grin forming when he realized that for the very first time, everything felt right.

Chapter Six by Renee

“Are you serious?” She widened her eyes in amazement before bursting out laughing. “No way.”

“Yes way.” Her laughter was contagious, and he chuckled with a grin. “He thinks you’re his soul mate.”

“Who is this again?”

“Justin.” His foot pushed against the ground, sending the bench seat swinging lazily. “You know, the blonde kid from the gorilla skit.”

“Oh, yeah. The gorilla kid. You’re rooming with him and his mom since your dad came home, right?”

“Right.” He sighed. “They’re awesome and all, but he keeps sneaking into my room and going through my stuff to find new pictures of you. I swear, he’s obsessed.”

“And he’s how old?”

“Thirteen.”

“Oh, God.” The groan that escaped was loud in the darkness of the front yard, followed immediately by a soft chuckle. “The first guy who actually thinks I’m it for him and he’s a thirteen-year-old Mouseketeer. Go figure.” An evil tone came to her voice. “I’ll have to meet him someday. Rock his world a little.”

“I don’t know about that.” He shifted, his arm stretching along the top of the swing as he turned to look at her. “You don’t want to traumatize the kid.”

“So now I’m traumatizing?” She crossed her arms in a mock huff, fighting to keep the smile from her lips. “Thanks a lot.”

“Hey, the truth is hard to swallow.” Another push and the swing went a little faster, keeping up with the playful tone of the conversation. “Rocking his world probably isn’t something you want to try, anyway. Knowing him, he’d like it and come back for more.” He grinned as she laughed, straining to see her face as the moonlight dimmed.

“Thanks for tonight.” Her voice was soft, but he could feel her eyes on him. “I really needed this.”

“No problem. Anytime you need to get revenge on somebody, I’m there. Besides, I couldn’t just let you skip your senior prom.”

“It wouldn’t have been right for me to go with anybody else, I don’t think.”

“Mmhmm.” He bit back a yawn. “For a blind date, I’m not all that bad, am I?”

“Nope.” She smiled over at him. “I thought it was pretty much perfect.” Her eyebrow arched questioningly. “This was a date?”

His heart skipped a beat when he met her gaze and he had to force himself to respond. “Yes, this was a date, but we’re not dating.” He paused, thinking over his phrasing. “Did that even make sense?”

“Yeah.” Her head bobbed in response. “It made sense.”

“All right.” There was an audible sigh and he could feel the swing moving as she relaxed back into the seat. “About tonight … are you sure you’re okay with the whole Dingess thing?”

“I don’t really have any choice but to be okay with it.” She tilted her head back, staring at the stars as she talked. “It was just rough. You know?”

“Did he tell you why?” The words were out before he could stop them and he cringed, not wanting to pry. “Sorry. You don’t have to …”

“Of course he did.” He went silent as she answered, surprised at her interruption. “In great detail.”

She sounded stuffy, as though she were fighting not to cry, and his brow furrowed, his eyes narrowing on her when she cleared her throat and sniffled. “Boof … come here.” Reaching out, he pulled her over until she leaned against him, his arm around her shoulders, and he felt her relax. “Do you want to talk about it?”

“I just …” She paused, absently reaching up to take his hand while she cleared her throat again. “In the beginning, I was happy with him, Josh. At least, I thought I was. But at the same time, I never really believed that it could actually be true, you know? Him wanting to be with me. I couldn’t shake the feeling that something about the whole thing was off. It was ridiculous and weird and amazing and crazy all at the same time.” Her fingers tightened around his. “I think I just wanted so much for somebody to care about me and want me that I talked myself into thinking he would.”

“Jen …”

“I mean, seriously. Could I have been any more wrong?” Without even acknowledging that he’d spoken, she barreled on, needing to get it all out. “I shouldn’t have been surprised how it went down. He cheated on me, I caught him, and it just got messier from there. And he even had the balls to stand there and tell me that it was all my fault we were so wrong for each other.” Her free hand came to rest on his knee, fisting in anger. “I’m not tall enough, or pretty enough, or preppy enough. It’s a sin that I’m not a cheerleader and I spent too much time working on the spring concerts and not enough with him. I need to dye my hair blonde and lose fifteen pounds so that I can squeeze into whatever anorexic size is ‘in’ right now …”

“Okay, I’ve heard enough.” He pulled his hand from hers, tightening his fingers over the back of the swing. “Let me up.”

“What?” She broke out of her tirade when she heard him, her eyes widening when she felt how tense he was. “Why?”

“I’m gonna kill him.”

“Josh, no.” With an effort, she loosened her fist, pressing her hand down on his knee in what she hoped was a calming manner. “It’s over and done with. He’s a jerk, everybody knows it. And I’ll get over it.” A thought popped into her head and she couldn’t keep the smile from reaching her voice. “Besides, he’s with Macie. I think that’s punishment enough, don’t you?”

“She’s not exactly all there, is she?” His voice was still slightly harsh, but he leaned back in the swing and she could feel the tension draining out of him by degrees. “I mean, I didn’t get the vibe that she was running on all cylinders.”

“Forget cylinders, she’s lucky if the hamster stays on the wheel.” She sighed when he finally relaxed enough to laugh. “She’s a human toothpick with blonde hair. That’s about as far as it goes.”

“Then what’s the attraction?”

“She’s a cheerleader. She’s popular. And she’s got that vacant look down to a science.” His hand moved down, resting on her shoulder as she shrugged. “She’s happy to stand there and be decoration. I guess that’s what he needs.” A quiet laugh escaped. “Looks beat out brains hands down, I suppose. According to him, I always had an opinion and wouldn’t just blend into the background. It drove him nuts, so he traded me in for a better model.”

“Better model?” His brow arched in surprise. “I seriously doubt it.”

“Maybe so, but most guys would do the exact same thing he did.”

“What?” His eyes narrowed as he looked down at her again. “What makes you say that?”

“I can remember a time when even you were blinded by a cheerleader skirt with blonde hair, Josh. Besides, it’s kind of obvious.” She reached down, her fingers plucking at the material of her dress. “I’m not exactly beauty queen material here. That goes a long way. They say you should look for the ideal package. You know … looks, brains, personality and all that mess. Brains and personality, I’ve got, but those are the minor checks. If you’re missing that major check, then you can pretty much forget about it.”

Silence settled heavily as he studied her, carefully gauging the battle she was having with her insecurity, not quite achieving the indifference she was aiming for. “He really did a number on you, didn’t he?”

“Huh?”

“Since when do you worry about how you look or what some guy thinks of you?”

“Everybody’s self-conscious. Why do you think the people behind M-A-C, Neutrogena and American Eagle are billionaires?” The corner of her mouth quirked slightly. “I’ve always worried about it, just like every other girl our age. There’s just no sense in making a big deal out of it when there’s really not much I can do to improve it.” Her head bobbed back and forth. “Well, except for plastic surgery, but I’m not into that.”

“Don’t ever change yourself, Jen. For anybody.” She looked down when his fingers wrapped around hers, his thumb brushing over her knuckles. “You’re gorgeous, inside and out, with or without M-A-C and American Eagle. You’re smart, funny, sarcastic, honest, opinionated and caring. If a guy can’t appreciate you for what you are, then he isn’t worth your time.” His free hand moved up to tuck a few stray curls behind her ear. “Just be patient. Someday, a guy’s going to come along and completely sweep you off your feet, and all those jerks who missed out will be kicking themselves for passing up on one of the best.”

“Thanks. I needed to hear that.” A smile curved her lips as she stretched up to kiss his cheek. “Why can’t I find a guy like you?”

“Because I’m one of a kind.” His arm squeezed around her in half a hug, his silly grin making her laugh. “Come on, Cinderella. It’s late and I should be getting back to the house.” When he heard her groan, he pushed himself up from the seat and reached down to pull her up after him. “Let’s go. I’ll walk you to the door.”

He followed her up the steps and waited on the porch until she was standing on the tiles in the foyer. She dropped her small purse, keys and crown on the table just inside the door, then gave him a bright smile and stepped forward to wrap her arms around his neck, hugging him tightly. “Thank you so much, Josh. This was the best night ever.”

“It was my pleasure.” Without a second thought, he leaned down and pressed his lips to her cheek, then pulled away slightly before turning to kiss her softly on the mouth.

The jolt that passed through him was unexpected, a lightning bolt streaking from the top of his head all the way down to his toes, a tingly crawling sensation on the back of his neck, where her fingers were. After only a few seconds of contact, he moved back, unable to keep his eyes from going directly to her lips. There was a moment’s hesitation as he stared at her, making a quick decision to step away completely, ignoring that urge to pull her closer and show her what a real kiss would be like. Instead, he pasted a smile on his face and gestured toward the stairs. “Go on and get some sleep. I’ll talk to you later.”

“Good night.” He could feel how her gaze stayed on him as he turned, watching him until he was almost to the car before he heard the soft thump of the door closing.

Taking a deep breath, he opened the car’s door and slid behind the wheel, only to run his hands over his face, staring hard at her window until he saw the white curtains moving, her shadowy form appearing behind the glass. He sat there for just a second longer, his fingers tapping against his lips, then heaved a sigh and started the car, throwing the gear into reverse and backing out of the driveway.

*********************

Jen slipped her shoes off at the door and ran up the stairs, her dress whispering against her legs as she went. She flew through her bedroom door and jumped on the bed, scooting over to the window. Resting her cheek on her hand, she watched him back out of the driveway and head down the street until he turned at the corner. A dreamy smile formed, and a sigh escaped from her lips. Then she realized exactly what she was doing.

Wait, wait, wait. What’s up with this?

Her eyes widened, her head turning to catch her shocked expression in the reflection of the mirror. She stared at herself, well aware of the softened areas around her eyes, the relaxed places around her mouth, evidence of the things she’d been trying to ignore all night.

What am I doing? He’s my best friend. I can’t fall for him.

She shook her head against the insanity, immediately trying to remind herself of all the reasons why it was impossible that they’d ever be able to make it work. Everyone at the dance had been shocked to see him, even more so to see him there with her. Not that there was anything wrong with her. As he’d said, she was some type of pretty, smart, funny. She’d been voted Prom Queen, for God’s sake.

A fact that hadn’t been appreciated by some, even if it was a joke.

Macie’s words kept echoing in her mind, making her flinch against the thoughts they evoked. At the sink in the women’s restroom: “It’s just a stupid crown, anyway. I knew Luke was getting you nominated, but I didn’t think people would actually vote for you.” And then, as they were walking back out to find their dates: “You know, it’s a total waste that he’s here with you. Maybe he’ll be open to more adult company.”

In a way, she had to concede that the irritating, self-centered blonde was right. He’d grown up a lot over the past couple of years, was making a place for himself in front of those cameras in Florida. Down there in Mickey Mouse land, he’d changed his name and perfected the image they wanted him to portray, while she’d been up here, living an ordinary life and being the everyday average teenager, still holding on to her innocent, naïve view of the world.

And it had been painfully obvious that things were changing when they’d walked into the dance. People who’d never said a word to him before the show stopped him to chat, as if he was their close friend. Everyone had called him JC all night – something she just couldn’t bring herself to do. At least, not yet. Maybe with time, she’d grow accustomed to calling him that. It was only a nickname, anyway. Not such a big deal.

To the world, he was JC but, to her, he was still just Josh.

Josh, her best friend.

Like always.

But tonight … tonight something had been different.

When she’d finally gotten over the shock of seeing him, she hadn’t been able to help noticing how … well, how utterly gorgeous he was in his suit. For the first time, she’d looked at him and hadn’t seen the boy she’d grown up with, but had seen a guy – a good looking guy – standing there, waiting to take her out. She’d never noticed his dark features before. Or how he knew exactly what to wear to accent those blue eyes of his. Or that grin.

Good Lord, that grin.

Shaking her head, a sigh escaped, common sense telling her that the last portion of that thought wasn’t entirely true. Ever since they were kids, she’d been the biggest victim of his smile, letting it sway her even when she had the strongest of resolve. It didn’t matter what he’d done, all he’d had to do was smile and she’d given him the forgiveness she’d always tried to hold back.

That smile of his had always been her weakness, but tonight it’d made her want to go weak in an entirely different way.

Her eyes narrowed, considering her previous train of thought. All of those things were just on the appearance front. The way he’d acted … now that was a completely different story. Finally moving away from the window, she pulled the pins from her hair and thought over the night, picking out the small details.

Some of the things he’d done – putting his hand on the small of her back to lead her through doors, the way he’d held her as they’d danced, the odd looks he’d been giving her since he’d picked her up, draping his jacket around her shoulders as they’d left the country club – had definitely seemed more than friendly.

He’d been openly staring all night, watching her like a hawk. By now, she was well aware of what his stare felt like. She’d grown up with it, and while she was oblivious to any other person’s focus, she was definitely acquainted with his. From time to time, she’d been able to pick it out during class, or when she’d gone shopping with her mother and hadn’t known that he was anywhere around, but he’d never used it as intently as he had tonight. She’d felt his eyes on her, nearly burning her, almost never leaving her whenever she was away from him for any amount of time. If she was honest, she had to admit that, while it’d been a tad bit unnerving, she’d liked being the center of his attention.

He’d acted overly protective – nearly possessive – of her, not allowing anyone to cut in once the entire night. Not that she was going to complain, she’d rather enjoyed having him hold her, breathing in his cologne, but it hadn’t been what she was used to. She wasn’t quite sure what she had expected, but it certainly hadn’t been for him to act like he was …

Stopping her thought short, she stared at her reflection in the mirror, trying to convince herself that she hadn’t been about to compare his behavior to that of a boyfriend.

Sure, he’d been clingy, but he usually was when he came home. For those first few days, he tended to hover, always needing some kind of contact, whether it was a hug or just an arm around her shoulders. It’d been that way since the show started, so it wasn’t anything new.

And he’d always been protective of her, ever since they’d met. It was as if he’d made it his mission to be her hero. Tonight, he’d taken that to an all-new level. The look on his face as he’d sized up Luke had been outright lethal. Josh wasn’t the fighting type – he was too laid back for that – but she truly believed that if Luke had made any kind of move to touch her while they were standing there, he would’ve lost his cool and started swinging.

Again, her brain told her that this wasn’t anything new, he’d always taken the role of older brother, trying to shield her from what he thought would cause her pain. But she’d seen his expression when she’d turned to him for the King-Queen dance, that odd mix of relief and something else softening his eyes, and she’d felt how tightly he’d held her as they’d swayed to what she’d come to think of as ‘their’ song. She’d seen the knowing glances in the crowd over his shoulder, and something in her was screaming that this time, those looks were justified.

Immediately, she shook her head against the thought, common sense leaping in to deny that anything of the sort was even possible.

But even denying it couldn’t change what had happened downstairs only a few minutes ago.

He’d been kissing her on the hand, cheek and forehead for so long, she couldn’t even remember when it had started, but tonight … he’d kissed her on the lips. That was definitely different. She would have expected his typical quick peck, but not what could very well have been a real kiss. And she certainly hadn’t expected to feel the electric sizzle that had coursed through her at the contact. Absently, her fingers touched her mouth, as if trying to remember the soft feeling of his lips against hers, the tightening of his arms around her as contact was made.

Sure, Luke had kissed her several times during their time together, but he’d always acted as though she was sub-par, leaving her with an indifference about the whole thing. With Josh … as soon as it’d been over, she’d had to fight against her instincts, forcing herself not to wrap her arms around his neck and pull him back to her, kissing him in the way that she’d suddenly found herself wanting to be kissed. By him. She couldn’t keep herself from imagining it: the clinging, the contact, the closeness, arms, hands, lips. Everything she’d read about in her mother’s hand-me-down romance novels.

Her mind rejected this idea as well, just as a peculiar melting feeling settled around her stomach, making her groan softly in acceptance.

Okay, so maybe I can fall for him. But there’s no way he feels the same.

There’d been an odd look across his features as he’d pulled away, a mix of surprise and … something else. But it had disappeared almost immediately, his signature smile taking its place.

What had that look meant? Had he felt the same spark she’d felt? Was he as confused as she was? Or had her mind finally taken a long walk off a short pier, leaving her absolutely dim-witted?

The questions remained unanswered, her mind whirling round and round as she thought of how he’d be leaving soon, going back to the Club set and all the ‘beautiful’ people in the cast. No way would he settle for her when he had Nikki and Keri and whoever else hanging around him – all the girls who’d made it clear they weren’t happy to see her when they’d brought her down for his birthday a few years ago. Not that it even mattered. She’d known since the sixth grade that he only saw her as a friend, a confidante. In no way was she girlfriend material. Not for him, anyway.

This wasn’t one of her romance novels. She and Josh definitely weren’t the images she conjured up when she read about people who were meant to be, coming together and building relationships that could only happen in her dreams.

And she wasn’t even positive that she wanted more than the friendship.

But if it meant that he’d kiss her again …

She sighed, trying to banish the confusing feelings and thoughts from her world.

Minutes later, when she laid her head on her pillow, visions of him and that grin leapt behind her closed lids, her lips tingling as if he’d just pulled away from her. Swallowing hard as she stared through the darkness at the ceiling, she allowed the tears to fill her eyes, spilling over to run down her cheeks.

This is going to hurt. A lot.

*********************

He sat at the dining room table, trying his best not to stare at the pictures spread across the tabletop.

For the first time since he’d come home, he was alone in the house, blessed silence hanging all around him. He was grateful for the quiet, but at the same time, he’d give anything for an interruption to the thoughts seeming to fly in circles around him, rapidly driving him to mental dizziness. Forcing his gaze to the window across the room, he focused on the squirrels running through the branches of the tree in the side yard, but couldn’t stop his body from swaying to the beat of the song repeating over and over in his head.

“When I see you smile, I can face the world …” The words escaped his throat before he could stop them and he groaned, running a hand over his face. “My God. I really have lost it. It was just a dance. That’s all. She’s the same Jen that she’s always been. She’s still Boof. There’s nothing different about her.”

The more he tried not to think about it, the more memories rushed forward to replay yet again. He chewed on his lip and looked at the photos again, sighing heavily when he finally gave in and let his mind roam free.

She may not have changed, but he’d definitely seen her differently the other night. When her eyes had lit up at the sight of him, that smile he knew so well brightening her face, and she’d thrown her arms around him … something had clicked. Maybe it was the light floral scent of her perfume or maybe it had been the way she’d felt against him, her soft curves grabbing his attention and refusing to let go. Whatever it was, he couldn’t explain it. But something had changed.

He just wished he knew what it was.

They’d been to dances together before, had been going as a pair since grade school, but they’d always pretty much gone their own ways, dancing with each other several times, but networking out to other partners as well. This time, he hadn’t wanted to let her go, hadn’t let anyone else dance with her. She hadn’t seemed to mind one bit, but then she hadn’t given any kind of sign that she noticed something felt different, either.

So maybe it was just him. Or maybe she truly was oblivious to the male eyes that always seemed to turn her way. His included.

He hadn’t been able to keep from looking at her, watching her whenever she’d walked away to go talk to someone or to hit the punch bowl, trying to tell himself that he was just trying to figure out if there was something about her appearance that had changed. The heels she’d been wearing had made her a little taller – almost the perfect height to be held against him – and she’d styled her hair differently, but neither of those could be it. It wasn’t something that simple.

For a split second, he wished with everything he had that it was simple, so that he would know what was going on. He wanted to know why he couldn’t get this song out of his head, why it reminded him of her in every way. He wanted to know why he’d kissed her … and why, after he’d pulled away, he’d immediately wanted to do it again, take it further.

The only explanation that he could come up with was that he’d missed her. But that didn’t make sense, because he’d been missing her since he’d moved to Florida and there hadn’t been anything different whenever he’d come home before or when they’d talked on the phone.

Well, except for the little incident last Thanksgiving. And the time she’d called to tell him she was going out with Dingess.

But other than those times, everything had been normal.

Kind of.

“Ugh!” He sat back in the chair and covered his face with his hands. “Maybe I’m just losing my mind. Maybe I need a girlfriend. God only knows.” The shrill ringing of the cordless phone lying beside him made him jump, and he fumbled with it for a minute before hitting the button to answer. “Hello?”

“Hey man, how’d it go?”

“Hey.” His eyes rolled sharply as he shook his head. Justin. Perfect. Just what he needed. “It went fine. It was just a dance.”

“Yeah, right, it was just a dance. You went to the prom with your best friend, who happens to be one of the finest things I’ve ever seen. I’m telling you, she’s the reason why God created women. Can you bring her back with you? I want to meet her.”

“J, she’s staying here. But I will bring some of the pictures with me.”

“Great. Something new for me to drool over. How’d she look?”

“She was … beautiful. Gorgeous.” He cleared his throat quickly, averting his eyes from the photo in front of him, trying to distract himself from the unnerving thoughts the image provoked. “Every guy was staring at her all night, even before she won Prom Queen.”

“That doesn’t tell me much, but tell her congrats from me. That’s awesome.”

“Will do.” His gaze automatically strayed back to the picture and he gave a quiet sigh, flipping it over so he couldn’t see it. “Listen, will you and your mom be going out of town anytime soon?”

“I don’t think so. We’ve only got two weeks in this break, so I think we’re just sticking around here until the show picks back up.”

“Okay.” Agitated, his fingers tapped the table nervously, then flipped the glossy paper over again, revealing their pose. “Great.”

“Why?”

“No reason. I was just thinking about coming back early. Like, maybe tomorrow.”

“Really? I figured you’d want to spend as much time as you could with your family and Jen.”

“It’s great being home, but …” His voice trailed off and he ran a finger over the photo, his fingertip tracing her arm as his stare glued to her smile.

“But what?”

“But …” An odd tingling feeling came to his lips as he studied her mouth and he closed his eyes with a frustrated sigh. “But if I spend much more time with Jenny, I think I might do something stupid.”

“Stupid? What do you …” Justin’s voice faded out as realization dawned. There was a moment of silence, then he burst forth with a laugh. “I knew it!”

“Of course you did.” A raspy groan rattled at the back of JC’s throat as he shook his head. “Go ahead and say it, kid. Here’s your chance.”

“This is awesome!” The glee in his voice was obvious. “I told you it would happen sooner or later.”

“I didn’t believe you then and I’m really not sure that I believe it now.”

“What?” Justin’s tone was tinged with confusion. “Man, that totally made no sense.”

“Maybe not to you …”

“What happened?”

“I don’t know. One minute I’m waiting for her to come downstairs so I can surprise her.” He paused, swallowing as he remembered. “The next, she’s hugging me, all decked out in this amazing dress, and I can smell her perfume and …”

“And what?”

“I think …” His fingers rubbed against his closed eyelids, trying to avert the headache he felt coming on. “I think it finally sank in that she’s a girl.”

“Right.” A short laugh carried over the line. “Well, Jace, I hate to break it to you, but she’s always been a girl.”

“Okay, that sounded stupid.” Another groan reverberated through his chest. “It’s just … I’ve never thought of her as anything but Jen. You know, my buddy, my friend, the person who knows me better than anybody else.”

“Save that load of bull for someone else. I know what happened at Thanksgiving, remember? You and Steve were talking about it.”

“Yeah, I know.” The answer was growled into the receiver. “And I remember Lynn catching you listening in on that conversation, too.”

“That’s not the point. The point is that you’ve seen her as a girl for a while. It’s nothing new.”

“Well, yeah. I guess you’re right. But it’s not the same as that now.”

“What’s different about it?”

“Before, it was kind of like I was just seeing pieces of it, but not putting it together. Now, it’s slapping me in the face. It’s like … I can’t stop looking at her. No … I don’t want to stop looking at her.” For a moment, he only stuttered as he tried to put it into words. “And I keep noticing … stuff.”

Stuff, huh?” The grin was evident in Justin’s tone. “What kind of stuff are we talking about?”

“Like how pretty she looks with her hair pulled up, and how nice it felt to dance with her, and how hearing her laugh makes me want to smile, and … and …”

“So, back in November you finally started seeing her as something other than the person who was always there. Now, you’re realizing that she is definitely a female – a very fine female – and you’re noticing all the things that come along with that. Right?”

“Yeah. I guess.”

“That’s perfectly normal, Jace.”

“No, it’s not. This is anything but normal.” He slapped his open palm against the table. “Good God, Justin. I kissed her!”

“Seriously?”

“Yeah.”

“Well, how was it?”

“Um, right.” Blue eyes rolled to the ceiling, an exasperated laugh bouncing off the walls. “Like I’m gonna give you details.”

“Fine, keep quiet. But just so you know, that gives me a pretty good idea, C. What did she do after?”

“She … she smiled.”

“And then what did you do?”

“I said good night and went and sat in the car for a few minutes. At least, I think I said good night. It’s kinda fuzzy. But that doesn’t really matter, I don’t guess.” He sighed. “Anyway, I just sat there and stared at her window, like some kind of psycho stalker.”

“You just sat there? Why?”

“Because I couldn’t decide if I wanted to go back and kiss her again.” His hand ran over his face. “My God. This can’t be happening.”

“Okay, so you kiss her, she doesn’t punch you and you’re acting like the gates of hell have opened and Satan himself is about to push you in.” The younger voice rang with confusion. “What kind of crack are you smoking? When you make a move like that on a girl like Jen and she smiles at you, it’s always a good thing, Jace.”

“You’re joking, right? I kissed my best friend!”

“Yeah, I got that part. I also get that she wasn’t complaining.”

“But … ugh!” His groan was so loud that it echoed through the house and he stood, moving around the table to burn off some nervous energy. “This is the worst thing that could happen.” There was a rustling in the bushes outside as the squirrels began playing underneath the window.

“Why?”

“Because this could ruin everything. Everything, J.” He tapped his fingers over the photo yet again. “She’s such a big part of my life …” His voice trailed off.

“Exactly. That’s why it’s so perfect. You’re already pretty much joined at the hip, so why don’t you just go with it?”

“Because I don’t want to do anything that’ll hurt us. I don’t want to screw up our friendship.”

“Just think, Jace. This … this could be so much better than the friendship. Go with it and see what happens. Trust me on this.”

“Yeah, like I’m going to take the advice of a kid who still thinks Ariel is one of the hottest women he’s ever seen.” He rolled his eyes and laughed dryly. “I’m leaving soon, Justin. The last thing I want is to start up something and have to make it a long distance thing right at the start.” A deep sigh escaped and he plopped back down in the chair. “She doesn’t do long distance, anyway. That’s why she didn’t give Tony more of a chance.” His stare focused on the wall across the room, his brain moving at warp speed. “Besides, what if I’m going through withdrawals? I haven’t dated anybody in months. What if I’m just looking for that, and she’s the first person I’ve seen? I can’t do that to her. I can’t wreck what we’ve got just because I’m looking for the next available girl to come along.”

“So what are you gonna do about it?”

“Do about it?” He looked back down and flipped the picture over, hiding the image once again. “Nothing.”

“Jace, you can’t just do nothing. Come on, man. What are you so scared of?”

“I’m more than scared, man. I’m terrified … terrified of what something like this could do to me. To us. I just can’t risk it.” A lump began to form in his throat, and he swallowed hard to fight it down. “We’re friends, J. The best of friends. She’s the only person I can go to with absolutely anything, who won’t judge me unless I ask her to, who I can trust to give me a totally honest opinion. I can’t take the chance of screwing that up. I can’t risk hurting her.”

There was a brief pause, then Justin spoke quietly. “You can’t risk hurting her, or you can’t risk hurting yourself?”

“I think … both.” His teeth worked on his lip. “I don’t want to hurt her, but I don’t want to get hurt, either. I’ve seen her hurt before, I know exactly how it feels to see her going through it. If I had to see that look on her face and know it was because of me … it’d kill me, J. It’d kill me.” He sighed. “And if I take the chance on it, there’s a huge possibility she’s going to laugh in my face …”

“She wouldn’t do that, Jace.”

“No, I know.” He closed his eyes and rested his forehead on the table top. “But if she gave me the look I’ve seen her give before, to other guys … I couldn’t handle that.”

“So you do nothing.”

“Right.”

“And when she calls to tell you about how she’s going out with one guy or another?”

“Then I’ll deal with it.” Just the idea made him flinch. “I’ve dealt with it before, so … I’ll have to deal with it, because I can’t take the risk of my other choice.” His forehead tapped painfully against the wood of the table. “This has to be a phase. It has to be. I’ll get back to the set, ask one of the girls out, and everything will go back to normal. The way it’s supposed to be.”

“And what if it’s not a phase? What if it just gets worse the next time you see her or talk to her?”

“That’s not going to happen.” He sat up, running his fingers through his hair roughly. “I’ll get over this, whatever it is. I will.”

I have to.

*********************

“I kissed my best friend! Ugh, this is the worst thing that could happen.”

She heard him moving toward the window and turned to race back up the path that joined their houses, her legs catching in some of the bushes as she ran. Stumbling, she fought to right herself, then put her head down and made her way home as fast as her feet would carry her, never even realizing that tears were streaming down her cheeks until she was up the stairs and back in the safety of her bedroom.

“Well, I guess that answers that question.” A watery laugh escaped as she reached out for the teddy bear he’d brought her from Disney World last year, cuddling it to her chest as her shaky knees gave out and she dropped down to sit on the floor by the bed. Burying her face in the bear’s fur, she felt the dam – and her heart – shatter into pieces, sobs wracking her entire body as her tears soaked into the stuffed animal.

For what seemed like hours, she cried out her pain, curling onto her side on the carpet, the bear abandoned as she wrapped her arms around her midsection in a weak attempt to keep herself from flying apart.

Finally, there wasn’t enough energy left for another sob or sniffle, and she pushed herself up from the floor, picking the bear up and returning him to the bed. Turning toward the door, she caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror. Moving closer to her reflection, she couldn’t fight back the wry, self-admonishing smile she’d been giving herself since February.

“Seriously, Jen?” Her fingers combed through her tangled hair before her hands came down to scrub at her tear-stained cheeks. “You really thought there was a chance he could want you?” Brown eyes trailed over the image of her small frame, her curved figure draped in the old shirt he’d given her. She was a far cry from fat – or even thick, for that matter – but she certainly wasn’t blessed with the figure and stature that most of his girlfriends were equipped with. “Look at yourself, stupid. Sure, he tried to make you feel better about everything, but he pretty much came straight out and said you couldn’t have him.”

“He’s one of a kind, remember?” She glared at the mirror. “As idiotic as he is, Luke was right about a few things. You’re a dime a dozen, girl. Nothing special. Totally unremarkable. You haven’t grown an inch since eighth grade, pasta is one of your favorite foods and you had to do your own makeup and hair.” Her eyelids squeezed shut as she tried to imagine what she must have looked like coming down those stairs. “A juvenile, brunette Miss Piggy, less a bit of bacon. Why would he ever want you?”

“This was a date, but we’re not dating.”

“My God.” She froze as another part of their conversation from the other night came rushing back to her, dropping down into the chair she’d used while applying her makeup. “He practically told me so, tried to let me down easy. And that was before he gave me the pep talk.” Covering her face in embarrassment, she groaned to herself. “Mom called him, he came home a few days early and took me to a dance. I was a damn pity date.”

Suddenly, everything that had seemed so special about going to the prom with him lost its sparkle, common sense casting a dark shadow over the entire night. He hadn’t been staring at her because he’d been seeing her differently, but because he was her friend and wanted to make sure she was okay. The odd looks were probably because it’d been the prom, so she’d dressed accordingly – far more formal than any other dance they’d ever gone to. He’d given her his jacket because it was cool outside, and her dress had been completely lacking in coverage. The knowing glances from the crowd hadn’t been because they thought there was more between them than friendship, but rather an expression of how she was delusional if she believed that were the case.

He hadn’t held her closely while they danced or refrained from other dance partners for any other reason than Luke being there, watching the entire thing. Her gaze jumped around the room, taking in all the photos of them growing up together. He was her best, closest friend and – as he’d said – he would always be there to help dish out a little revenge. It was her mistake in assuming he’d been referring to just the King-Queen dance, rather than the night as a whole.

And never mind how easily hearts got tangled up when revenge was involved.

But what about that kiss? Why would he have kissed her at the front door? There was no one there to watch, so unless he knew something she didn’t, revenge hadn’t carried all the way home. Unless …

What if he’d been legitimately curious?

Her eyes widened as she looked once again at her reflection in the mirror, swallowing hard at the inevitable conclusion. They’d been a fixture in each other’s lives for so long, it wasn’t a stretch to consider that maybe he’d held a bit of wonder about how it’d be to kiss her. He hadn’t had a girlfriend in a while, and – as far as she knew – it didn’t seem that he’d been dating recently, either.

“Ugh, this is the worst thing that could happen.”

She hadn’t been able to hear the other side of his conversation, and it didn’t take much to imagine that not only had the kiss been his worst, but the very fact that he’d kissed her could potentially be one of the worst things he’d experienced.

“You really need to work on the ‘hands on’ part of a relationship, Jen. You barely moved me at all.”

Luke’s cruel words rang in her ears and she cringed, hugging her arms around herself again as – impossibly – a fresh wave of tears began building. “Okay, Luke. Score two for you.” Getting up from the chair, she retrieved her journal and a pen from the desk, then sprawled across the bed, flipping to the next fresh page, jotting down the hurtful words from today. Once she had those down, she turned to the next page, paying no attention to the tears staining the paper as they fell from her chin, scrawling quickly through line after line, some making up small poems, some becoming phrases or choruses that would eventually grow into songs.

Some time later, her writing slowed until she felt a numbness in her fingers, and she knew that she couldn’t put another word to the paper. The pen fell to the comforter, her journal flipping closed as she pushed it aside and rolled onto her back to stare at the ceiling.

“Luke is a waste of space, but Josh … I can’t be without Josh.” She spoke to the empty room, working out the situation in her cluttered mind. Getting past the whole incident and retaining a sense of normalcy in their friendship was necessary, because she knew that she couldn’t lose him. It didn’t matter that she was likely connected to one of his worst experiences. He was the bright spot that kept life bearable, the other half of her sanity, and he was essential to her sense of self.

Despite what she’d heard him say, she had no doubt that he would never intentionally hurt her. If he knew that she’d heard his conversation, that he’d crushed her … it would turn his world upside down. Things would never be the same between them again.

And that was unacceptable.

“Get over it, Jen.” Sitting up on the bed, she sent a determined glare toward her reflection. “You’ll get over it, or you’ll lose him. He’s your best friend. You can still love him, but it’ll never be what you were stupid enough to hope for. Accept that you’ll never be enough for him and move on. Be normal. Be happy. Smile around him. Just keep it up for another week, then he’ll be back in Florida and you can fall apart. By the time he comes home again, it’ll all be okay.” A quick nod at herself closed the pep talk and she rolled off the mattress and strode out of the room.

It turned out that she needn’t have worried herself, as he was gone the next day, the light blinking on her answering machine alerting her to the only parting words she would get out of him. The message ended, a few tears fell, and she felt a bit of her spirit beginning to shrivel as she reached for her journal again, wondering if things were already beyond repair.

But it wasn’t until two weeks later – when Ty let it slip about his latest girlfriend, Andrea – that Jen realized the lingering effects of falling for him. The news ripped her heart to shreds … and part of her soul lost its joy.

End Notes:

 

 

Chapter Seven by Renee

August 26, 1994

Wearily, she dragged herself through the front door, closing her eyes in the silence of the empty house. Nine hours of looking at the Gap and dealing with its mostly middle school and junior high clientele was enough to make her want to crawl under the covers and hibernate for a week. Especially considering that she had to be up bright and early tomorrow morning to go through it all over again, this time with the Saturday, weekend crowds.

She walked through the kitchen, dropping her keys and wallet on the table before moving to the refrigerator, her gaze darting over to the clock on the microwave.

8:10.

The evening was already nearly halfway gone, and she was worn down, ready to crash on the couch with the remote and whatever leftovers her mother had left for her. Another Friday night spent alone in front of the television.

“So much for partying my way into eighteen.” With a sigh, she reached out and pulled the wrapped plate from the refrigerator shelf, then let the door fall shut behind her.

Not even inspecting what was on the covered plate, she peeled back the cellophane wrap and popped it into the microwave, sinking down into one of the kitchen chairs as she waited for her supper to heat. Her eyes darted over to the stack of textbooks on the counter, a small smile forming as she became thankful for the end of the summer semester. It’d taken a chunk of her savings, her scholarship not taking effect until the fall semester began, but she was glad to have those pre-requisite classes out of the way. The more basics she could cram in this year, the more she could concentrate on her core classes once she transferred.

Of course, her mother had insisted on using her college fund for this one year, but Jen had dug in her heels … just as she had at the offer of a car. The long hours working were horrendous, but the money she’d been able to put away had enabled her to buy her own vehicle – a little blue Tracker that she loved – and she felt better knowing that the fund would be there for whenever she made it to a university.

Scholarships were handy, but not always available, and she knew the more classes she could take each semester, the fewer years she’d have to spend in the classroom, draining whatever funds she had at her disposal. She’d done her research, choosing three universities as possible transfer schools, determining what general classes were potentially transferable credits, counting as courses already taken toward her Bachelor’s degree.

A beep sounded as the microwave cut off, announcing that her dinner was heated to her liking, and she mentally checked off her course list for the upcoming semester as she got up to fetch the food.

At this rate, she figured she could have a good start on her general education requirements, allowing for a lighter course load in semesters to come. With any luck, some of the courses required for her Music Composition concentration would carry over as well, or, in the very least, prepare her for courses that were coming later. If she committed herself to classes during the summer semesters as well, she could be finishing up in four years or so.

That was the plan, anyway.

The hot plate burned her fingers and she hissed, quickly setting it down on the counter to cool and moving to the sink, running cold water over her fingertips until the tingling stopped. Looking over, she saw the smoke rising from the food and shook her head at her tired foolishness.

She reached out and cut off the water, standing still in the silence. Back in February, her mother had taken a second shift clerical job at the hospital where she worked. The hours were longer, but there was less stress and more money, so it’d obviously been the right thing for her to do. While Jen was reaching the final leg of her work day at six or seven in the evening, Lisa was just reaching the halfway point of hers, the hours stretching late into the night.

Usually, it was fine. After being surrounded by the masses all day, Jen loved having the house to herself, enjoyed the freedom of being alone during those evening hours.

But tonight, she’d give anything to have company.

“Spending your birthday alone sucks.”

The words echoed off the kitchen walls as she walked back over to the fridge, pulling out an icy bottle of water to go with her dinner. She reached into the drawer for a fork and the heavenly smell of the food on the plate wafted over to her, pulling her eyes up to finally take inventory of the steaming meal. Lasagna, corn, mashed potatoes and garlic bread … an odd combination, but her favorites, nonetheless.

There hadn’t seemed to be a point behind having a cake laying out when they couldn’t sit down and enjoy it together, so she’d made the logical request for no cake to be made, promising her mother they could go out for dessert one day the following week. Of course, Lisa had protested, insisting on making the traditional chocolate cake, but Jen had assured her that it would be fine.

Now, she regretted the decision, longed for the sweet, sugary dessert that always seemed to be the highlight of the party. But there really wasn’t anything she could do about it, unless she wanted to make the cake herself and that would sort of defeat the purpose. It’d be fun, if she weren’t too tired to deal with the mess. So she’d leave it be. It was just a cake, after all. Nothing major.

Cautiously, her fingers tested the rim of the plate, a small smile forming when it was just the right temperature, and she gathered up her food and drink to make her way to the love-seat sized couch. Sole possession of a television remote was a wonderful thing. The plate was set down on the coffee table, the water taking residence on a coaster as her eyes narrowed on the square of paper covering the controller.

I taped the show for you. Make sure you watch it before nine. Happy birthday, sweetie. Mom.

“Before nine?” She checked the clock on the VCR. “Thirty-five minutes. Just enough time.”

Her finger pressed the buttons on the remote, smiling at the familiar opening scrolling brightly across the screen, and settled back to enjoy her dinner while she watched.

Twenty-five minutes later, her plate had been cleared, her shoes had been kicked off and she was curled up on the sofa, not really seeing what the big deal was. Her eyelids were becoming heavy and she could feel them sliding closed halfway through a skit, but when the announcement for the closing number was made, they flew open wide and she sat straight up on the cushions.

“No way did she just say …”

As the familiar chords floated from the speakers, the camera panning back to show JC and Tony sitting on the stage, the denial died on her lips, unfinished.

Whenever I’m weary
From the battles that rage in my head
You make sense of madness
When my sanity hangs by a thread
I lose my way but still you seem to understand
Now and forever I will be your man


“Oh my God … he did it.” She slipped off the couch, sliding over until she was on her knees in front of the television. “He really did it.” Her fingers came up to the screen and, ignoring that weird fuzzy feeling against her fingertips, traced the areas around him on the picture. His eyes were closed for much of the performance, opening only briefly to view the audience, his hand seeming to move of its own accord as he lost himself in the lyrics. A smile spread across her lips as she let her thumb move over his forehead on the screen. “That’s it, Josh. Perfect.”

The song was over entirely too soon, and she immediately reached up, pressing the rewind button to play it again.

Just as it was ending for the second time, the phone rang, jerking her out of the semi-trance she’d lost herself in. Absently, she paused the tape and, her eyes still glued to the television set, backed away to grab the cordless unit from the side table, turning it on as she brought it to her ear. “Hello?”

“Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you …”

She grinned as the familiar voice sang the child-like song, leaning back until she could rest against the front of the couch. “Hey.”

“Hey, Boof. So, how’d you like it?”

“I can’t believe you did that.” Her head shook back and forth, as if he were there to see it. “It was perfect.”

“No dedication or anything …” His smile was obvious in his tone. “But I thought it’d work.”

“I love it.” She laughed. “I was just getting ready to watch it again.”

“Yeah, I figured.” He cleared his throat, the rough sound carrying softly over the line. “Before you do that, though, go up to your room.”

“My room? What for?”

“You’ll see. Just go.”

“Okay, I’m going.” Her brow furrowed as she pushed herself up from the floor and moved out of the room. “What are you up to?”

“Nothing.” The overplayed innocence in his voice made her grin as she ran up the stairs.

“Yeah, right.” She paused with her hand on the doorknob. “Just tell me if I need to get ready to be scared to death.”

“Nope. It’s all good. Just go in.”

“All right. Here goes.” Turning the knob, she pushed the door open, laughing when the multi-colored balloons littered across her ceiling danced. “What’s this?”

“Part two of your present. Be careful, or they’ll get stuck in your hair.”

“Huh?” Her eyebrow arched in confusion.

A sigh escaped. “Check the balloon strings, Jenny.”

She reached up, catching one of the strings and pulling it closer so that she could get a better look at the small object she could now see dangling from the ribbon. “A piano charm?”

“Yep.” His voice lifted, bringing her an immediate mental image of the grin he undoubtedly wore. “The bracelet should be hanging there somewhere.”

“Josh …” Her fingers tightened around the small silver piano. “Thank you. I’ve always wanted a charm bracelet.”

“I know. I had a blast picking out all the little pieces. Remind me later to explain the charms. Some of them should be obvious but the rest …” He trailed off and she could picture him shrugging. “Look over at your desk.”

Brown eyes turned quickly away from the charm, focusing on a stack of leather-bound notebooks. “More journals?”

“A little birdie told me you were almost out of space in the ones I got you for Christmas.”

“Yeah, I’ve only got a few blank pages in the last one.” She walked over, letting her fingers move over the smooth covers, tracing the J that was burned in script in the upper right-hand corner. Biting her lip, she thought of all the pages she’d filled this past summer, pouring her heart out over that one perfectly horrendous night. “You realize I’ve already got three shelves full of these, right?”

“Well, I’m hoping that one day I’ll turn on the radio and hear some famous person singing your thoughts.”

“You and me both.” Her smile grew as she picked up the book on the top of the stack and flipped it open. “They’re perfect, Josh. Thank you so much.”

“You’re welcome.” Soft laughter met her ear. “But I’m not done yet. Part three should be getting there any minute.”

“Are you kidding?” Her eyes widened. “The song was enough for me.”

“I kinda figured you’d think so. But it wasn’t enough for me.” The doorbell rang downstairs. “There it is. Can you handle all those balloons?”

“Yeah, I can get them.”

“Good. Take them with you and answer the door.”

“Yes, sir.” She saluted the empty room with a laugh, then gathered up the strings and hurried down the stairs, cradling the phone between her shoulder and ear so that she could pull the door open.

Heather and Tyler stood on the porch, all smiles as they pushed past her, carrying what looked like a cake box. They walked into the kitchen, set the box down and lifted the lid, revealing the iced cake that she’d requested not be made.

“A cake? But I told her not to …”

“She made it over at our house this morning and left it there. Give the kids a hug and tell them thanks from me.”

She obliged, hugging both of them tightly with her free arm, mouthing a quiet thanks before they walked out the door, pulling it closed behind them. “Okay, are you finished now?”

“Not quite. Read the cake.”

“What?” Shaking her head, she read the words aloud. “‘Happy Birthday, Jen. Go open the door.’” The doorbell rang and she blinked quickly. “Again?”

“Yeah. This is the last part, I promise.”

“If it’s a stripper, I’ll love you for life.”

He laughed loudly. “Are you sure that’s what you want?”

“Definitely. I’m absolutely positive I want a stripper for my birthday.”

“Well, open the door and see.”

She jerked the door open once again, focusing first on the sight of Tyler running around the corner and disappearing into the night, what looked like a telephone clenched in his left hand. A quiet cough jerked her attention to the figure standing on the porch, her mouth dropping open in surprise when he stepped forward to lean against the doorjamb, a plastic bag dangling from the same hand that held what appeared to be videos.

The balloons flew freely to the ceiling, the phone fell from her shoulder and he couldn’t hold back his grin. “I’m not exactly the stripping type, Boof, but I can give it a shot if you really want me to.”

Her shock immediately melted into a bright smile. “Maybe later.” The words were barely out before she laughed and practically jumped into his arms. “How’d you get here?”

“On a plane.” He chuckled at her exasperated sigh, then tightened his hold around her, lifting her off the ground as he stood up straight.

“Okay, this is ridiculous.” She clung to him and stretched her toes toward the ground. “You’re officially too tall for me, Josh. I don’t even reach your shoulder anymore. Did you really have to go and grow like that? Your mom must be having a fit.”

“Only a little bit of one. Most of my shirts are still long enough.” With a grin, he leaned forward until her feet could touch down. “All my parts on today’s show were recorded, so I didn’t have to be there for airing. I got on an early flight this morning and Mom picked me up from the airport around noon.” Pulling back just a little, his eyes met hers. “I had to leave before your graduation, and I couldn’t come home for my birthday. There’s no way I’d miss your eighteenth, Jen. That’s a big one.” He checked his watch quickly. “We’ve got about three hours left to party. We’d better make it good.”

“Party?” Her eyebrow arched at him. “Isn’t it a little late for a party?”

“Not if it’s just the two of us. I’ve got ice cream to go with that cake and a few of your favorite movies. We can put your bracelet together and just … talk.” Stepping away, he let a small smile curve his lips. “I miss those nights when we’d stay up until two or three just talking about nothing.” His brow furrowed. “It feels like I haven’t gotten to talk to you at all this summer.”

“Uh huh.” She nodded, turning quickly so he wouldn’t see her flinch, then followed him through the hall and into the kitchen, where he put the bag and videos on the table. “It’s been a while, hasn’t it?”

“Yeah. I figured we could just kick back and relax tonight, then we’ll do some major partying tomorrow.” A grin carried on his tone. “I’ve got the whole day planned.”

“I … Josh, I can’t tomorrow.” Her face fell in disappointment. “I’ll be working until seven …”

“I’ve got it covered. Your mom called and told your boss that you had a last-minute family thing going on this weekend and you couldn’t miss it. You’re off the hook until Monday. Or whenever your next day is.” He looked up from where he was working the lid off the ice cream, meeting her unsure expression. “I know I probably shouldn’t have done it, but I just don’t get very many chances to do things like this. I wanted some time with you and I’ve only got until Sunday afternoon to fit it in. Call me selfish if you want.”

“That’s not selfish. That’s sweet. This whole thing is sweet.” She tilted her head, laughing lightly. “I’d even go so far as to say that you’re sweet.”

“Yeah. Thanks.” His cheeks turned pink. “Every guy wants to hear that he’s sweet.”

“Well, you are.” When the corner of his mouth kicked up in a smile, her heart stuttered in her chest. Don’t get caught up in his smile, Jen. You can’t have him. Remember how miserable you’ve been? You’re the worst thing that could’ve happened and you’re still not over it. Taking a deep breath to steady herself, she forced out the only question that could put a damper on any lingering thoughts of him. “How’s Andrea been?”

“Andrea?” He shook his head at the lightning-fast change of conversation. “She’s all right, I guess. Nothing different, other than maybe getting a little too clingy. I’m not that crazy about how she tries to hang all over me.” Looking back down at the lid as it finally came free of the container, he brought his thumb up to his mouth, catching the cold smudge of ice cream with his tongue. “Man, that’s good. How about we dig into this stuff before the ice cream gets all gooey?”

“Heaven forbid the ice cream be gooey.” Her grin was mirrored in the kitchen window as she turned to the counter, pulling two plates out of the cabinet and fishing forks from the drawer by the sink before coming back to the table and picking up the spatula from the cake pan. “How big of a piece do you want?”

Forty-five minutes later, they’d polished off nearly a third of the cake and half the ice cream, the dishes had been dropped in the sink and Ghostbusters 2 was playing in the background, the sound turned down, as they worked through the balloon strings, removing the pieces that would make up her bracelet.

“You’re right.” Her eyes moved over the small silver shapes that were scattered over the coffee table. “Some of these are obvious, but the others … I don’t have a clue what they’re supposed to mean.” She picked up the silver chain link bracelet. “Is this all of them?”

“Yeah, that’s it.” He shifted closer to the table, using his fingertip to arrange the charms into a specific order. “Okay, this one goes first.” The little J was passed to her, his eyebrow arching. “If it’s not a no-brainer, then this is gonna take a while.”

“I’m a J. Cool.” She laughed, fixing the tiny letter to the first link in the chain. “What’s next?”

“The piano. Again, it’s obvious.” The charm was passed to her and he moved quickly to the next one, talking as she worked with the bracelet. “This one’s a star. I remember when we used to lay out in our backyards and watch the stars come out. You’d always make a wish …”

“And it always drove you nuts when I wouldn’t tell you what I wished for.” Her eyes lit up with her grin as she fastened it on the next link. “I just kept telling you it wouldn’t come true if I said it out loud. Wow, I’d forgotten all about that.”

“We don’t do that anymore, but don’t stop wishing. With or without stars.”

“I haven’t.”

“Good.” He held up the next charm. “A treble clef. I think it’s awesome that you’re focusing on something you’ve loved for so long. I know you’re going to be one of the best composer-songwriters in the business.”

“That’s the plan, anyway.” She chewed on her bottom lip. “I just hope I’m not setting myself up to crash and burn.”

“I don’t think you are. Keep your mind on it and you’ll be amazing.” A short laugh escaped as he moved on, passing the tiny Mickey Mouse head to her.

“Okay …” Her eyebrow arched at him. “My love of Disney movies?”

“No, not really.” His head shook back and forth slowly as he watched her attach the familiar shape to a link. “The Club was because of him. I guess it’s an indirect connection, but he’s kind of the first real hurdle that’s been thrown between us. That day when you were helping me pack, I was terrified that I’d get down there and it’d turn weird and we’d never be the same.”

“But it didn’t.”

His teeth worked on his lip as he continued. “I was so sure that we’d end up growing apart …”

“And we haven’t.” Brown eyes came up to meet his. Not yet, anyway.

“I know. If anything, we’re closer than ever.” A smile formed slowly. “In a way, I guess I should be thanking Mickey for that. To me, that charm represents the fact that nothing’s ever going to come between us. If we’ve made it this far, with the separation and all that, then we’ll make it through anything.”

“Exactly.” She nodded in agreement, tilting her head forward so that he couldn’t see how she was fighting to swallow. “Through thick and thin …”

“Friends to the end.” With a sigh, he looked down, focusing on the next shape briefly before passing it to her wordlessly.

“A feather?” Her brow furrowed in confusion. “What …”

“For your spirit. Your attitude. Your stubbornness. The smile that’s purely you. Your confidence. Your laugh. Your temper. All the things that make up the person you’ve always been.” His fingers tapped across the tabletop as his gaze moved to meet hers. “Sometimes you get frustrated and ask me why you have to be the way you are. You wish you could change one thing or another, be someone else. You don’t seem to realize that you’re absolutely perfect as is.” He paused just long enough to clear his throat. “I wouldn’t have you any other way, Jenny. Never let anybody make you feel like you need to change. You don’t. And you shouldn’t.”

Without a sound, she simply nodded, acknowledging that she’d heard him loud and clear.

“A guitar.” Knowing that she wouldn’t say anything, he moved on. “Again, no explanation needed.”

“Right.” She grinned, maneuvering the tiny instrument onto the chain and letting her eyes move over the bracelet, counting to herself. “How many more do you have over there?”

“Three. A charm for every link.” He let his finger move over the next piece before he slid it across the table to her. “A heart. Because yours is so strong, even when you let your guard down enough to let people see that you’re a softie way down deep. You try not to show it, but you really care a lot more than you’d probably like to about a lot of things.” As he spoke, her hands trembled and she fumbled with the chain, prompting him to smile. “You’ve got a vice grip on it, won’t let it go for just anyone and you try to put walls up to keep people out. But for some reason, way back when we were only little kids, you let me in.”

“I never tried to keep you out.” Working to swallow around the lump forming in her throat, she waited for him to go on.

“I know. And that’s one of the biggest gifts you could’ve ever given me. Knowing that I’ve got even a little place there …”

“You’ve got more than just a little place, Josh.” She took a deep breath. “You’re special.”

“And you should know that you’re just as special to me.” He reached across the table and wrapped his fingers around hers, seeming to wrestle with what he wanted to say next. Indecision flickered through his eyes and his forehead creased minutely, marred for only a brief second as he quickly made up his mind, visibly switching gears from his original train of thought. “You’ve got the biggest heart I’ve ever seen. Even though I know you’re … selective, sometimes I get scared that you might let the wrong person in, and you’ll get hurt when I can’t be here to fight for you.”

You mean like when I decided to give Luke the chance to tear me to shreds? Or when I thought that maybe you might want more from me? Too late, Josh. Biting her lip, she pushed the thoughts away. “You can’t be my hero every time I make a mistake or things get hard. It’s not possible.”

“I’ve finally realized that. We’re both becoming adults and you’re branching out, trying new things and meeting new people. I know I have to let you go, even if it’s only a little bit …”

“No, don’t let me go.” Her gaze came down to where their hands met. “When you left, I didn’t let you go. Just because we’re getting older doesn’t mean that we have to back away. You may not be able to fight my battles for me, but I still need you. I’m always going to need you, Josh. No matter what.”

“Me, too. I mean, you’re my girl. Nothing’s gonna change that.” He squeezed her fingers briefly, then pulled away, leaning back against the couch as his hand skimmed over the table, moving the next shape over to her. “An angel. It’s been almost five years since you lost your dad, but I know you still miss him. It’s in your eyes on special days and sometimes – when you think nobody’s watching – you zone out and concentrate on remembering him.”

“It still hurts.” She blinked, and he could see the tears she was fighting to hold back. “I’ve had such a long time to adjust, but it still kills me when I think of all the stuff he’s missed. He … he didn’t get to see me grow up, graduate high school. He won’t see me graduate college or hear any of the songs I write or walk me down the aisle if I get married. I guess you’ll have to do that, huh?” A tear slid down her cheek as she sniffled. With her gaze on her hands, she missed the stricken look that flashed in his eyes as her words sank in. “There’s so many things I want him to be here for. But he’s gone and he’s never coming back.” The charm twisted between her fingers as she looked up at him, smiling slightly through the moisture clouding her vision. “It helps that I have you, though. You remind me so much of him.”

“I … I do?” His brows lifted in surprise.

“Well, yeah.” She laughed quietly, turning her attention back to the silver angel. “You care about me. You’re protective of me. And you’re always there when I need you. Just like he was.” Her head tilted to the side as she studied the smooth lines etched into the shiny wings, the tears spilling over in earnest when she realized her thumb was moving over her father’s initials. “You give me support in everything I do, no matter how stupid or ridiculous it may be to everybody else. When I think something’s impossible, you know exactly what to say to make me try that much harder. Then, if it turns out that I screw everything up, you do whatever you can to make the fall easier.”

Silence settled as one trembling hand came up to wipe the wetness from her cheeks, then reached out for the bracelet, trying her best to attach the charm onto a link despite her shaking fingers.

After watching her struggle for a moment, he cleared his throat and leaned forward to take the silver pieces from her, quickly working the metal rings together as he spoke softly. “You’re giving me a little too much credit, don’t you think? It’s not like this is one-sided, Boof. You do the exact same things for me.”

“We’re still a little unbalanced, though.” Closing her eyes, she breathed deeply, taking a minute to get herself under control. “Because sometimes it feels like he’s able to see everything I’m doing through you. And that just makes me want even more to make you both proud.”

“You always have. There’s no way you could ever disappoint me. Or him.” His finger traced a circle around the last charm slowly before he picked it up, fastening it to the last open link on the chain. Once again, he paused, mulling over his explanation for several minutes. With a sigh, his shoulders lowered slightly as he looked up at her, a smile curving his lips once again. “This last one is another J. I had a hard time picking out what I should finish up with, but I finally decided that no matter how many things about you I could find a shape for, the best part was that it would always begin and end with you.”

“Wow.” She stared at him, astonished and fumbling for words. “Josh, I …”

“When you gave me my necklace, you said it was because you wanted to give me something that represented what you saw in me.” He held out his arm, the silver beads resting just below the base of his hand catching the overhead light. “And you gave me this bracelet so that I’d remember you while I was gone. It’s made all the difference for me, so I wanted to do something like that for you.” Reaching out, he gestured for her to lift her wrist so that he could clasp the chain in place. “These charms represent you, the amazing friend you’ve always been to me and what we’ve had to go through to keep that friendship. And no matter where I go or what I end up doing, I swear that there’ll never be a day that I won’t take time to remember you.”

“Josh.” She shook her head slowly. “You can’t promise me that …”

“Have I ever made you a promise that I didn’t try my absolute best to keep?”

“But …”

He looked up from straightening the bracelet on her wrist, his eyebrow arched sharply. “Have I?”

Her shoulders heaved in a sigh. “No.”

“Well, I’m not about to start now.”

“I wasn’t trying to say that you were.” She chewed on her lip and stared at him. “It’s just … you have no idea where you’re going to be in two months, let alone a year or two down the road.”

“I know exactly where I’ll be. Right here.” He smiled when her eyes narrowed on him. “This is the last season, Jen.”

“What?”

“They’re canceling the show.”

What?” Her jaw dropped in shock. “Can they do that? I mean, didn’t you guys sign contracts and all that?”

“Our contracts state that we’ll be employed as long as the network sees fit to carry on the show. They didn’t set a specific time span.” His shoulders shrugged in an attempt at indifference, but the effort fell just short. “The ratings aren’t nearly as high as they were two seasons ago, so they’re moving on to different ideas.”

“Wow. That’s rough.” She fell silent, searching for the right thing to say. When the words refused to come, she scooted across the carpet until she was seated beside him, letting her arm slide around his waist, her head tilting until it rested against his shoulder, giving him the best half-hug she could while they were on the floor. “I’m sorry, Josh.”

“Hey, it’s all right. I never thought it’d last forever, you know?” His arm moved, going around her and giving her a squeeze, pulling her closer to him as he returned her embrace. “It’s kind of a win-win situation for me, anyway. On one hand, I love doing the show, but on the other, I’ll get to be back here with my family.”

A smile curved her lips, knowing that he was including her in that statement. “Were the ratings their only reason?”

“It was their main reason, but there were others that factored in. We’re all getting older, the fans are growing up and there are newer things out there to grab the kids’ interest. After what happened to Kids Incorporated last year, I think we all knew it was just a matter of time before they pulled the plug on us, too.”

“Did they give you any kind of time frame? They’re not just going to yank it off the air with no warning, are they?”

“No, they won’t let it just disappear.” He cleared his throat, shifting until they were more comfortable against each other. “We’ll finish up the year as usual, taking a break for the holidays, then they’ll bring us back in January to go ahead and tape all the spring shows. Taping will be finished by February or March and they’ll use re-runs as filler through the season, like they always do. Then they’ll air a special finale show in May or June, on the day the regular season would be ending.”

“And that’s it?”

“That’s it. I’ll be home by the end of March at the latest.” His chest rose as he inhaled calmly. “I’ve had a blast with it, and I’ll miss the performing and the people …”

“Even Justin?” She smiled mischievously up at him.

“Yeah, even Justin.” He chuckled under his breath. “He might be a pain sometimes, but he’s really a great kid. Lots of opportunities are gonna open up for him. I know it.”

“You’ll have opportunities, too, Josh. Maybe not right away, but they’ll come along. With the popularity the show had, the CD you guys released and the promo and tour and stuff, they can’t overlook you for too long.” Twisting, she reached until she could wrap her free arm around his neck, bringing him into a more secure hug. “There’s still a lot of amazing things left for you out there. You just have to be patient until the offers start coming in.”

“Thanks, Jen.” His features lifted in a smile as she gradually loosened her hold on him and he watched the overhead lights glitter off the silver around her wrist before shifting his gaze over to the television, where the credits from the movie were crawling over the screen. “Hey, this wasn’t supposed to be a pity party. It’s your birthday. And there’s a copy of Pretty In Pink around here somewhere.” She pulled away from him completely and he stretched his arms over his head, sending her a questioning look. “You up for it?”

“For Pretty In Pink? Do you even have to ask?” Her own bright grin formed, just before she leaned over and kissed his cheek. “You’re the only guy I know who’s willing to sit and watch eighties chick flicks with me.” She snickered, pushing herself up until she could slide onto the comfortable couch cushions, then reached out to ruffle his hair as he moved to stand. “You know that makes you just about perfect, right?”

“Not perfect. Insane.” He shook his head as he pushed the new video into the VCR and hit play. “I wouldn’t watch this with anyone but you, Boof.” On his way back to the couch, he noticed her yawning and reached out to flip the light switch, leaving the room dimly lit by a single corner lamp and the television. “Besides, in some weird, girl-next-door, skinny-redhead kind of way, Molly Ringwald might actually be almost hot.”

Without even looking at her, he knew that her eyes were widening, watching him as he calmly settled down on the cushion next to her and rested his arm over the back of the chair. Just as he expected, it didn’t take more than a minute for her to completely lose it, her hysterical laughter flying through the darkness, drowning out the old previews on the video, until she was reduced to clutching her sides as she tried to catch her breath. Shaking his head with a smile, he let out a quiet laugh and moved his arm down, draping it over her shoulders to pull her until she was against his side.

The happy smile never left her face as she turned her head to look at him. He didn’t meet her gaze, but she knew he could feel her watching him, certain of it when she felt his arm tighten around her as the opening scenes of the movie began to flash across the screen. She automatically relaxed, settling into him as she always did and turned her full attention to the movie.

When he leaned down to kiss her forehead, his fingers beginning to comb through her hair, she simply let her head rest against his chest, neither of them giving it a second thought as the story of Andie and Duckie played out before them.

----------------------------------------

April 18, 1995

“Stop hogging all the popcorn.”

“Then pass over the chips.”

Food was quickly exchanged before they settled back down on the couch.

“I’m going to miss this.” She sighed, relaxing back against the cushions. “You just got to come home and now I’ve got to leave in less than a month.”

“Well, UCF can’t exactly come up here to you, so you’ve got to go to it.”

“But …”

“Jen, it’s the best school you could’ve chosen. You blew them away with your auditions and they gave you a full ride. You’ve worked your tail off for this, and you can’t back out now.”

“I know, but …”

“No buts. Don’t let me be something that makes you doubt yourself.”

“It’s not just you, Josh. I mean … I don’t know anybody down there.” Her teeth worked over her bottom lip. “I’m going to be completely on my own. No family, no friends. Nobody to talk to. And you know how hard it is for me to open up to people.” She sent an insecure glance his way. “It’s going to be just like when I was little, but without Mom. I’ll be totally alone.”

“Okay. I get it.” Chewing on a potato chip to mask the sting of her correction, he let his eyes slide over to meet hers. “You’re going to be fine, Jenny. Get to campus and meet your roommate. There’s no way she won’t love you.” With a brief shrug, he gave her a confident smile. “And if she doesn’t, then just call me and vent. We’ll talk every night if you want. You’ll be home on breaks, your mom and I will visit whenever we can. It’ll be great.”

“I guess.” Her voice was uncertain, but she nodded. “You’d really let me call you every night?”

“If that’s what you need, then absolutely. We’ll set a time and I promise that I’ll be here to answer.” He reached over and gave her hand a quick squeeze. “But the more you think about it, the quicker the time will seem to go. So how about we concentrate on the TV, okay?” He watched her nod again, then picked up the remote to turn up the volume on the television.

“I’d forgotten how much I love this movie.”

“Um, Boof … we’re watching Pocahontas.” Another chip made its way into his mouth. “It’s not exactly cinematic brilliance.”

“Shut up.” She threw a handful of popcorn at him. “Disney movies are the best.”

“Uh huh.” Brushing off the fluffy white kernels, he looked up with a grin. “You nearly lost it when the lion died in the last one.”

“Hey, The Lion King was a tear-jerker. You’re a guy, so you don’t get it.” A laugh escaped when a potato chip bounced off her leg to hit the floor. “Besides, Pocahontas is completely different.”

“Really?” He arched an eyebrow at her. “How?”

“Hellooo. Have you seen John Smith? He can explore my territory any day.” Her head tilted as she looked at the screen, chewing a handful of buttery popcorn, considering the rugged adventurer before finishing her thought. “Well, as long as he has Mel Gibson’s voice.”

“You’re checking out a cartoon character?” Blue eyes narrowed on her, looking for any sign of humor, but finding none. “Jen, you can’t be serious.”

“Hey, you can’t judge me.” She grinned brightly at him. “Remember that little thing you had for Jessica Rabbit?”

“Oh, man. I’d forgotten all about that.” He laughed, shaking his head. “But that was years ago. And Jessica was a fine specimen of animation. Smith is just …” His hand gestured toward the screen as he tried to come up with the right words. “Well, he’s no Jessica.”

“Maybe not, but he’d still be a good catch.”

“You think?”

The loose ponytail at the back of her neck swayed as she nodded. “Yeah, I do.”

“Okay, I’ve got to hear this.” Turning on the couch to face her, he propped an elbow on the back cushions and rested his head against his fist. “How do you figure?”

“Well, just watch him. He’s an adventurer, so he’s not afraid to try new things. He’s in control and can handle rough situations. He’s a quick thinker.” She pointed at the television. “See? He knew that he’d said something stupid, but he also knew exactly what to say and do to calm her down and get her to stay.”

“It’s scripted. Of course he knew what to say.”

“But it’s still part of his character. He stands up for what he knows is right, even if it’s not the popular thing. He’s not stuck on himself, even though the other sailor guys give him plenty of opportunities to be. The only personal gain he gets from the trip is being able to explore new land.” Her brow knit in thought as she stared at the wall above the television. “He’s loyal, willing to give himself up so the kid who shoots the Indian can go free, then risks his life so her dad doesn’t get killed. His comfort zone is next to nothing, so it’s not a stretch for him to be attracted to her. He’s completely open to anything she throws at him, because he’s fascinated with how she views things. They couldn’t be more different from each other, but he doesn’t really care about that … he just cares about her. And he’s not afraid to admit how she changed his life for the better.”

He just watched her as she went silent, a soft smile lifting the corners of his mouth as a slightly dreamy expression came to her face. Without a second thought, he let out an exaggerated sigh and pitched his voice into a girlish tone. “Can we talk about his voice now?”

She looked over to find him fluttering his eyelashes, the heavy exhalation lifting his shoulders, and couldn’t keep herself from laughing. “Enough chick talk, huh?”

A dark eyebrow arched as he nodded forcefully. “Um, yeah.”

“Hey, you asked.”

“I didn’t know you were going to wax girly with it, or I wouldn’t have.” He sent her an evil grin as she rolled her eyes. “You know, maybe you and Justin could have made it work. He’s got a thing for animation, too.”

“There’s a difference. I don’t do anime.” She wrinkled her nose in disgust before reaching for a handful of chips. “That stuff’s freaky.”

“What’s so freaky about it?”

“All the anime stuff I’ve seen had something to do with weird creatures or bondage-dominatrix-ninja type women whose mouths don’t come anywhere close to matching the dialogue.”

“Bondage-dominatrix-ninja type women?” The look on his face was stunned, bringing her to laughter once again. “What kind of …” His question was cut short, the telephone ringing sharply on the table beside the couch, making them both jump in surprise, then laugh at each other’s shocked expression. After a few more shrill rings, he reached out for the cordless unit, still laughing as he checked the caller ID. “Speak of the devil.”

“Who is it?”

“Justin.”

“Ah.” She arched an eyebrow at him. “Do you want me to pause it?”

“No, that’s okay. Just don’t molest the TV and it’ll be all right.” He grinned and pressed the button to interrupt the shrilling buzz. “Hey, J.” Then he sent her a wink. “We were just talking about you. What’s up?” There was silence for a few seconds. “Wait. You’re positive? What did he say exactly?”

Her eyes followed him as he rose from the couch, dropping the chip bag onto the vacated cushions before walking away and into the kitchen, where his voice was nearly impossible for her to make out. With a shrug, she turned her attention back to the movie, sneaking a handful of the abandoned chips while she was sure he wasn’t looking.

“Okay. Sounds good.” Minutes later, he came back through the doorway, only stopping to lean against the couch. “Yeah. I’ll talk to you later and we’ll work out the details.” Blindly, he reached down, scooping some of the popcorn out of the bowl propped in her lap. “Take it easy, man.” The phone clicked as he cut off the connection. For a moment, he just stood there silently, staring at the floor and munching on the fluffy white kernels, obviously trying to work something out in his mind.

“Josh? Everything okay?”

“What?” His head jerked up, meeting her concerned stare. “Oh, yeah. Everything’s fine.” He dropped the phone on the coffee table and grabbed the remote to pause the movie. “You know how you’re going to Florida next month?”

“Uh huh.” She nodded, an eyebrow arched at the odd question. “Why?”

“What if we were down there together?”

“What?” Her jaw dropped, eyes widening as she focused on his serious expression. “You’re joking, right?”

“Nope.” A slow smile lifted his features and he crossed his arms over his chest. “Justin’s been talking to this guy – Chris – who’s gotten together with this other guy and has been working on putting together a group. I went to sing for them before I came home from the finale show.”

“You auditioned?” She grinned, leaning forward until the bowl tilted dangerously toward the floor. “And they want you?”

“They’ve extended an offer. The spot’s mine if I want it.”

“That’s … that’s fantastic!” With no regard to the white kernels scattering across the floor, she jumped up and threw herself at him, giving him only a few seconds to catch her against him. Her arms wound around his waist, his chest muffling her laughter as she began bouncing in excitement. “I told you they’d be crazy not to see what you’ve got!”

“I know you did. I just stopped believing it, I guess.” He laughed against her hair, beginning to bounce a little himself. “This could be it, Jen. This could be my big break.”

“And I get to be there with you. How cool is this?” She pulled away, looking down when she heard the popcorn crunching under her feet. “Oh, man. Your mom’s going to kill me if she finds this stuff all over her floor. Where’s your vacuum?”

“Don’t worry about it. She’ll understand.”

“Yeah, right. Sure she will.” Her gaze came back up to him. “So they want you. What happens now? Do you start working right away or what?”

“We still need to find a bass to round out the parts.” His fingers raked through his hair, the excitement building with every word he said. “I’ll probably head down in about two weeks to get settled and help look for a fifth. Once we find him, we’ll start running with it.” As his thought progressed, he grinned. “I’ll be there to help you move into your dorm.”

With a bright smile, she hugged him tightly once again. “We won’t really have to say goodbye this time.”

“Nope. Just a ‘see you later’.” He laughed. “Orlando’s not going to know what hit it once we’re both there.”

“Well, they’d better duck and cover then, because we’re coming. Whether they like it or not.”

Chapter Eight by Renee

May 7, 1995

She pulled the Tracker into a parking space, then sat there, staring up at the tall building that housed a small portion of the UCF student body. It was a solid structure, but her heart sank at the roughness of the perimeter. Basically, her new home – for the next semester, at least – had all the classic appearances of being in a less than desirable section of campus.

Okay, Mom … maybe you were right about using that college fund for housing.

A quick horn blast came as a Jeep with three guys crammed into the front and a pile of boxes stacked in the back pulled into the space next to her. When she saw who was driving, she laughed and got out to greet him. Her knuckles tapped across the hood and she sent a smile to his passengers as she made her way around to where he was hopping out to hug her. “Perfect timing, Josh. I literally just got here.”

“I see that.” He grinned and wrapped his arms around her before leaning down to kiss her cheek. “We had a little trouble trying to figure out how to get your boxes to fit in one load, so I was sure you’d be looking for us.” His eyes widened as he took in their surroundings. “Are you sure this is the right place?”

“Yep. Lake Claire Apartments.” Uneasiness colored her tone as she stepped away from him and looked back at the building. “I’m hoping it’s nicer on the inside.”

“Well, I’ve seen worse, that’s for sure.” The new voice had her turning toward the passenger side of the Jeep, where a twenty-something guy with dark hair was moving her direction, smiling as his gaze trailed quickly over the residence hall to settle on her. His grin widened as he held out a hand. “Chris. We thought you and Jace might need a little help.”

“Jen. Nice to meet you.” She shook his hand and tilted her head a bit. “I think you’re probably the one I should be thanking for getting Josh down here, aren’t you?”

“Well, I guess so …” His shrug ended abruptly when she went on her toes, her arms going around his neck, hugging him tightly. “Make that yes. A definite yes.” He returned her embrace, raising his eyebrows as he looked to JC and mouthed a silent Wow over her shoulder.

“Hey, now. It’s only fair to point out that Chris wouldn’t have even known about Jace if I hadn’t suggested him.” The younger teen spoke up next to them and Jen looked at him, taking in the way he bounced on his toes before spreading his hands out to his sides. “Does that earn a hug, too?”

“Yeah, that gets a hug, too.” She laughed at his bright grin and stepped into his arms. “It’s good to finally meet you, Justin. I’ve heard a lot about you.”

“Probably not as much as I’ve heard about you.” He chuckled under his breath at the warning glare JC sent his way. “Seriously, I feel like I’ve known you for years.”

“The feeling’s mutual.” An eyebrow arched as she leaned back to see his face. “Do I need to be worrying myself over infatuated fourteen-year-olds, or have we grown out of it?”

“Wow. Okay, that’s embarrassing.” A hand rubbed the back of his neck and a blush stained his cheeks as the others began to laugh. “Honestly, though … can you blame me?”

“You’re sweet, but there’s not much here to crush on, I’m afraid.” She laughed as she turned back to the building. “How about we figure out which piece of paradise is mine? I’ve already got the key.” Her eyes landed on the boxes in the back of the Jeep. “Maybe we should just start with my car. That stuff’s easier to carry.”

Minutes later, she had a pack on her back and a guitar case in hand as they stared at the Out of Order sign hanging on the elevator.

“Stairs it is.” Chris kicked open the door to the stairwell and held it open just long enough for her to pass through, laughing evilly as he let it swing back on Justin, who let out a yelp of protest.

With no signs for direction and limited unit numbers posted, it took a while for her to land in front of a scarred wooden door, loud music blaring on the other side. “Guess my roommate is already here.” She knocked quickly before opening the door and walking in. “Hello?” The music was so loud, her voice was swallowed up completely. “Hello!”

Sudden silence took over and a head of curly red hair appeared in one of the bedroom doorways. “Hey! Sorry, I couldn’t hear you.” She came out and carefully crossed the space that served as a living room. “You must be Jen. I’m Maggie.” A hand waved around the room. “Welcome to the seventh circle of hell.”

“Surely it’s not all that bad.” Maggie’s eyes widened at Chris’ attempt at positivity as the guys came in from the hallway. “At least you have walls.”

“Barely. Don’t ask what our neighbors do at night. I’m still trying to forget about it.” Her bright green gaze sparked with humor as she took in the group. “You’re not all planning to stay, are you? No complaints from me, but I’m fairly sure they’d kick us out over it.” A laugh escaped as she studied Justin. “Especially if we’re harboring jailbait.”

“Nope, we’re just here to help Jenny get settled. We’ll take the boy wonder with us as we go.” JC set a duffel down on the couch and looked around the room, his brow furrowing at the random pieces of duct tape covering various portions of the floor as he made quick introductions. “I’m JC and this is Chris and Justin. What’s up with all the tape?”

“I took the liberty of marking the mine field.” She pressed the toe of her sneaker down on a silver square and a hole immediately appeared. “If there’s tape, there’s already a hole. If there’s a rug, there’s a hole in the near future. If the switch is taped down, don’t turn it on, ’cuz something might catch fire.” A weary sigh moved her shoulders. “The university is remodeling all of their dorms, but they’re only working on half the buildings in the Lake Claire section right now. Once they finish the first phase, they’ll swap out these units, but demo isn’t scheduled to be completed until sometime next year.” Looking around in frustration, her hand gestured around the apartment again. “Some folks were lucky and got moved into Tower Apartments, but those units filled up pretty quick. Which means this is the only housing available for the summer term. Oh, and we’re about twenty units down on the maintenance list to see why the fridge spits at me every time I open the door.”

“Fantastic.” Jen’s eyes widened, taking in the kitchen area as she set her guitar down beside the couch. “Does anything work?”

“One of the burners on the stove gives off heat. The microwave works as long as the lights are off, which really doesn’t matter, since half the lights don’t have power.” Maggie’s foot tapped as she concentrated. “Oh, and the A/C works, as long as you don’t mind having a lake in the middle of the bathroom.”

“Okay.” Her mind racing, Jen walked cautiously over to look through the doorway of what would be her bedroom and grimaced at the way the ceiling sagged over the foot of the bed. “Okay. Guys, I hate to be a pain, but I think what’s made it up here is all that we’re moving today. Josh, do you mind hanging on to those boxes for a little while longer?”

“Sure thing.” He stepped to the side and looked up when something wet hit his cheek. “Are you sure you don’t want to come back with us? Lance won’t be in until next week and even then, there’s an extra bedroom. We’ve got space for both of you until you can work something out.”

“I think I can handle it for one night.” She looked over to the redhead, who was casting a worried glance toward the ceiling, which suddenly had a suspiciously wet look. “What do you think, Maggie? Can you suck it up for another twenty-four hours? Or at least until I can get over to Administration tomorrow?”

“If I survived last night, I think I can make it for another …” As she was speaking, the ceiling began a slow tear and descent, wet plaster coming down in large sheets to expose the beams above. A piece came loose, and Jen hopped to a designated safe place to avoid the mess, only to have her foot go straight through the floorboards, the wood digging into her ankle and sending her sprawling into Justin’s arms.

“Well, what do you know? Looks like I caught you anyway.” Justin laughed and held her upright, keeping her from going further into the floor.

“We’ve talked about this … you couldn’t handle her, kid.” JC knelt and grasped her calf, trying to work her foot from the damaged boards without sacrificing her shoe. She cringed as he wrenched her free, leaning against the couch cautiously as he tested her ankle with gentle fingers. “You okay, Boof?” At her nod, he looked over to the others. “All right. Chris, how about you and J help Maggie get her stuff packed up and I’ll start getting Jenny moved back down?”

“Yep.” Chris was already moving, grabbing an empty box on his way to the bedroom Maggie had exited earlier. “Sorry, ladies. Nobody’s staying here tonight.” He looked back as more of the plaster fell free from the ceiling, landing in a wet pile. “Or anytime soon, I’d say. It looks like that leak’s been going for a while.”

“Hey, Jen?”

She looked up from where JC was pulling splinters from her skin, smiling at her roommate’s relieved expression. “Yeah?”

“Do hunky heroes follow you around everywhere you go, or is it just my lucky day?” Maggie fanned herself dramatically and laughed as Justin passed by her, then winked before grabbing a box and following them into the bedroom.

“Hear that? You’re a hunky hero.” JC laughed and released her as she grinned down at him, her fingers ruffling his hair. “I guess it’s my lucky day, too.”

*********************

Two days later, Jen was already awake and pulling ingredients out of the refrigerator when Chris came down the stairs and into the kitchen. She was humming and swaying to the music coming from the radio on the counter as she put eggs, shredded cheese, peppers and an onion next to the stove, the blue and green shirt tied around her waist swinging as she turned around.

He watched her for a minute, smiling at the picture she made, before clearing his throat. “Singing and dancing before eight in the morning? You’re really not human, are you?”

“Morning, Chris.” She laughed as he leaned against the fridge. “You’re just in time to help with breakfast. Grab a knife and get to dicing.”

“Peppers?” His brow arched as he opened a drawer and pulled out a butcher knife. “What exactly are we making?”

“Breakfast casserole.” Reaching into a lower cabinet, she took out a baking dish and two large bowls. “Dice the peppers like I showed you yesterday, but we only need about a quarter of the onion.”

“You just fixed us dinner last night and you already want to feed us breakfast?” A soft chuckle escaped as he worked over the peppers. “Exactly where did Jace find you? And are there more of you? Maybe a few years older?”

“Correction: I showed you guys how to fix an easy taco salad. Now, I’m teaching you how to make a ridiculously simple breakfast casserole. Seriously, you boys can’t survive on pizza and take out three meals a day.” She patted his shoulder on her way to open the freezer and pulled out a bag of hash browns. “Josh found me on a playground in the first grade … you know, way back when he was too young to realize how hard it would be to get rid of me. And Lord help us all if there’s more than one of me. The universe wouldn’t survive.”

“Yeah, that’s a shame. And as excited as he was about you coming here, I don’t think getting rid of you has ever crossed his mind. The guy hasn’t talked about much else for the last week.” He finished the peppers and left them in a pile, reaching for the onion. “What time is your mom coming over?”

“She and Lynn were planning to be here around nine.” Her glance flicked over to the clock above the microwave as she opened the refrigerator again. “Just in time to eat with us.” Leaning down, she dug through the meat drawer. “We didn’t think to pick up any ham. Sausage okay?”

“The majority of this house is male, kid. If it’s edible, it’s okay.” Within minutes, she had the sausage browning and had instructed him on the preparation of the other ingredients. “I hate that your dorm fell through – like, literally – but I’m really glad that everything seems to be working out. Your mom was already planning to come down and between the house and the apartment Lynn is renting, we had enough room that nobody wound up in a hotel. Did Maggie get her housing fees back?”

“Yeah, the folks over at Administration really had no idea of the shape those units are in. We both got a full refund, since my scholarship doesn’t cover summer terms. The rest we’ll have to work out after we find a place. Mom didn’t seem too worried while we were looking through the ads last night, so I’m not freaking out just yet. She keeps reminding me about my college fund, and I’m hoping it’ll give me some time to find a job.” Deciding the sausage was done, she lifted it from the stove. “Okay, drain the grease and mix the sausage in with your potatoes, veggies and cheese, then dump it in the pan and pour the eggs over the top. Add a little more cheese, then bake at 350 for about half an hour and you’ve got breakfast.”

“You weren’t kidding. That was really easy.” He slid the pan into the oven, set the timer, then headed for the sink.

“Just you wait. Tonight, we’re doing chili.” When he began to turn on the water to do the dishes, she stopped him. “Best part is, we cooked, so they get to clean.” With a laugh at his gleeful expression, she turned to the coffee maker. “I don’t drink it, but I know Josh does. Do you do coffee?”

“Not usually. Jace and Joey are the ones who need the boost in the morning.” He shook his head. “The kid has tried it a few times, but he hasn’t acquired the taste for it yet. Lynn usually grabs a cup, though.” As she added water and turned on the machine, he hopped up on one of the bar stools and picked up the leather book laying on the counter. “What’s this?”

She glanced over at him. “Oh, that’s my journal. I’d just finished a little writing when you came in.”

“Journal, huh?” His brows arched as his fingers flipped along the pages. “As in, you’ll get upset if I take a look?”

“Is there a purple dot on it?”

He turned it over, checking the binding. “Nope.”

“Then go right ahead.” Moving to a stool across from him, she smiled. “It’s really just a bunch of randomness. Thoughts, poems, lyrics … I don’t think there are any full songs in that one, but I’ve got a whole box of them with me. I started writing stuff down when my Dad died. You know, for therapy.” Her fingers played with the napkin holder as she watched him read. “I was never able to really open up and talk to anybody but Josh, and I was going through some pretty heavy stuff for a thirteen-year-old. He started getting me these leather books when he first moved down here for the show. By now, I’m pretty sure he’s figured out how to get them in bulk.”

“That’s rough. I’m sorry, Jen.” He paused on what she’d been working on that morning, lyrics scribbled down the center of one of the pages:

Here and now
Is the way I live
Unafraid of what life gives

And there’ve been times in my life
I couldn’t see a difference
In pain or in joy, or in sun or in rain
They just seemed the same

But I’m only human
Branded by ambition
But I’m going to make it count


“Hey, this is really good.” Closing the book, he handed it back to her. “When you’re done with it, can I see the whole thing?”

“Sure. An objective eye before I actually have to start handing stuff over to an instructor would be great.” She smiled and traced a finger over the initial burned in the cover. “My summer courses are really just getting a few of the credits that didn’t transfer out of the way. I’m nervous about going into fall term and having somebody else rip my work to shreds. Mom and Josh aren’t exactly the most critical of me, if you know what I mean.”

“I’ll look over anything you want to show me, Jen. I’ll even listen if you need me to.” An upbeat song came on the radio and he slid off the stool and came around to her, taking her hand and pulling her to stand with him. “But for now, we dance.”

Laughing, she let him spin her and began singing with him as he twirled her around the kitchen. “’Cuz when you worry, your face will frown, and that will bring everybody down. So don’t worry, be happy.”

By the next verse, Joey and Maggie had joined them, dancing and singing as the smell of freshly brewed coffee began to bring the house to life.

The song changed and Jen found her sock-covered feet sliding across the floor to where JC and Justin were coming down the stairs, watching in amusement. JC caught her before she could fall, and she grinned up at him. “Morning. Care to join us? Breakfast will be ready in a little bit.”

“Kitchen dancing seems to be your thing, huh?” He straightened her up, then spun her again, laughing when she stumbled back against his chest. “Let’s see if we can keep you off the floor this time.” Justin moved past them and took Maggie from Joey, who poured a cup of coffee and claimed a stool next to Chris.

She shook her head as he began dancing her across the room. “I seem to remember that it was your fault I wound up on the floor the last time. And you weren’t exactly my dance partner then, either.”

“Doesn’t matter. Only difference is location and we have friends with us this time.” He pulled her close to avoid a spinning Maggie and began to sing. “Slipping and sliding all along the waterfall with you, my brown-eyed girl. You, my brown-eyed girl.”

The song was still going when Lynn and Lisa arrived, and Jen heard the stove timer go off as JC twirled her again. “Chris, that’s your signal. Perfect timing, ladies. Coffee’s in the pot and breakfast is served.”

*********************

“Shouldn’t we be starting with the rentals we talked about?” Confusion lifted her tone as Jen watched Lisa steer the car off University Drive and into a subdivision. “I mean, this is a really convenient area, but isn’t this where the house that was for sale is?”

“Yep. The agent is meeting us in about twenty minutes for a showing.” Lisa glanced over at her daughter, amusement flashing across her features. “Is that okay with you?”

“I guess, but how am I going to afford payments on a house? Between Maggie and myself, we could handle at least the smaller of the rentals, even if it is on the other side of town.”

“You really do have selective hearing, don’t you?” Lisa sighed in exasperation, shaking her head. “How many times have I asked you to please use at least some of your college fund?”

“But, Mom … I just didn’t want to waste it …”

“Really, Jennifer. Your father and I started that fund before you were even born.” Pulling into the driveway of a large two-story home, she put the car in park, then turned to face Jen. “Steve always wanted to make sure that his children would have the opportunity for any education they wanted. We’d planned on providing for at least two, but when it took so long for us to have you, we knew that there would be enough for you to do anything you set out to do. There was plenty enough in it before he passed, but I added to it even more with a portion of his life insurance. Then we won the lawsuit against the construction company and it grew again.” Her fingers tapped against the steering wheel as she continued. “But you turned out to be an overachiever just like him. You just had to work until you could buy your own car instead of letting me give you one – that money went into your fund, too, by the way. You got a scholarship to the community college last year, earned a full ride down here. Then you refused to take any money for your summer classes and housing.”

“Okay, well …”

“When they awarded you that scholarship, I switched gears and started thinking you would use it for your first house, or a vacation after you graduated … maybe even your wedding. Truth is, you could use it for all the above and still not need a job while you’re working on your degree.”

“Wait. What?” Brown eyes widened in surprise. “Seriously?”

“I might crunch numbers for a hospital every day, but I happen to be fairly good with investments, you know. And your tastes have never been exactly high class.” A hand gestured toward the baggy plaid shirt she wore over her T-shirt and jeans. “You’d rather wear hand-me-down flannel than any designer label I’d buy for you.”

“There’s nothing wrong with appreciating a good deal. And this was a gift.” She defended her wardrobe choice, her fingers tangling in her beloved shirt. “But … what about you? Will you be okay if all that is mine?”

“Honey, I work because I want to, not because I have to.” Lisa smiled softly as she looked blankly out the window. “Your father took very good care of us, I just wasn’t a very good stay-at-home mom. By the time you were old enough to go to school, I was beyond ready to get out of the house. Even after he passed, I only worked because I couldn’t stand being alone all day.” Her gaze flicked back over to her daughter, an eyebrow arching. “They’ve offered me early retirement at the end of this year and I’ve decided to take it. Mostly because I’d like to be free to come down whenever I want to see you, which will be often. It’d be nice if I didn’t have to stay in a hotel every time I’m here.”

Jen sat in silence, mulling over what she’d just been told as she looked over the brick house in front of her, appreciating the column details at the front door. “I can buy this house if I want it?”

“If you want it, yes.” The driver’s door opened and Lisa moved to get out. “Come on. I wanted us to get here early so that we could take a look at the property and exterior.” Jen stepped out and followed, looking down at the paved path that cut through the grass and led around to the back of the house. “I checked other listings in neighborhoods further from campus and if you like a bargain, you’re not going to find one much better than this. The agent told me that the owners are motivated to sell. They’ve been renting out the property for a few years and are leaving the area to move north. This is a university area and most of the neighbors are college students renting during term, so families aren’t likely to be their target.”

“I like the columns and the shutters.” As they moved around toward the back of the house, she took in as many details as she could, noticing the basketball goal further around back. “The garage is nice … and Josh would love the basketball court.”

“Don’t think about what Josh likes. Focus on what you like.”

“Okay … oh, I love the bay window! Do you think there’s a window seat?” She could feel herself getting excited as they came to the back yard, taking in the screened-in porch and full basketball court with surround lighting. “The privacy fencing is awesome. And the landscaping is beautiful.”

“The agent has the names of the companies the owners use for upkeep. All you have to do is set up a contract with them and they’ll take care of you.” Lisa looked through the screening of the porch, then turned and winked. “There’s a good space for entertaining out here. The furniture is in really good shape. And there’s a built-in grill, too. You’ll have to make some friends and put it to use.”

“I’m sure between myself and Maggie, we’ll have plenty of folks over.”

“Maggie?”

“Yeah. She’s great and I could see us being good friends. We’d talked about splitting rent, since we were already roommates, but if I’m buying a place, she may want to share space. With our experience so far in campus housing, I think I could offer her a better deal. Maybe just enough in rent to help with utilities and keeping the kitchen stocked.” Jen shrugged. “If she doesn’t want to, that’s fine, but it’d probably be nice not to have the place all to myself.”

“Smart girl.” Lisa smiled approvingly. “Although, realistically, if this is your choice, it’s not even fifteen minutes from where Josh is staying. Seeing the reactions of those boys to your food last night and this morning, you’re likely to have company more often than you imagine.”

“Uh huh. I was trying to teach them to cook, but I think it backfired.” They were both laughing as they came back around to the front yard, just in time to see the real estate agent’s car pulling into the driveway.

The woman gave them a friendly smile as she approached, folder and keys in hand. “Good morning, ladies.” She nodded in Lisa’s direction. “Shana Stevens. I believe I spoke to Lisa last night, but I’m showing to Jen, is that right?”

“I suppose so.” Jen gave a smile in return. “To be honest, I’m already impressed just by seeing the yard.”

“Isn’t it beautiful? A very well-maintained property. If you’ve already seen the exterior, we’ll head right in, then.” Shana led the way toward the front door and began sorting through her keys. “Of course, you know that this is a university neighborhood. All of your neighbors will be students. In fact, all of the previous tenants of this house were students as well.” Finding the key she was looking for, she unlocked the door and pushed it open. “I need to tell you that some of those tenants made additions and had remodeling done with the owner’s approval. The basketball court was installed about four years ago and a portion of the basement was renovated into a rehearsal studio the year before last.”

“Okay.” They went inside and Jen had to pause when she stepped out of the entrance hallway and first saw the details of the interior. “Oh, Mom … it’s fabulous.”

“The sellers own a construction business, so they were able to make several improvements before listing. All of the appliances were updated after the last renters vacated. New refrigerator, stove and oven. The floors and cabinets have been resurfaced, the walls retouched with fresh paint and the carpets in the bedrooms are new.” Shana reached to the side, flipping on the overhead lights to better reveal the large oak dining set that divided the space from kitchen to living room. “As you can see, some furniture is included, mostly items they found too large to move.” She cleared her throat and gestured around the open space. “The living room area is oversized and accessible from the back patio by sliding doors. There are two half baths in the living areas of the main level, along with two bonus rooms – I believe they’ve been used as office space and game rooms on separate occasions – and there are extra closet spaces on all three levels.”

“This would be a perfect spot for a piano.” Jen paced out a large carpeted corner space tucked beside the staircase, lit by a window overlooking the back yard. “I’ve always had a keyboard, but a piano … I’d love to have a piano. Maybe someday. A baby grand.” She bit her lip as she envisioned it. “I could have an area here for my guitars, too. And a bookcase for my journals and stuff to the side of the window.”

“Let’s head upstairs to the bedrooms.” The trio made their way up the stairs as the agent relayed information about the laundry room, garage and security system. “The system is ready, it just needs to be activated with the company and they’ll set up the new codes for you.” She pushed open the door to the first bedroom. “The house was originally designed as a rental property for as many as ten inhabitants. Two of the bedrooms on this level could potentially hold two full-sized beds, with an attached full bath and a sizable walk-in closet. The other two are smaller, made for a single queen-sized occupant, with a standard closet and a full bath. The main floor has one bedroom of the same design as the larger rooms up here, down the hallway off the garage entrance. The basement also has a small finished apartment – a large bedroom with a separate full bath and a living area with a kitchenette. You’ll find it divided from the studio area by a wall addition that has a set of double doors. About half of the basement is still unfinished. That area is closed off, accessible by the doors on the left side of the hallway leading away from the studio. The doors on the right side give access to large storage areas.”

Moving to the next door, Jen gasped when it opened to reveal a space filled with walnut furniture, already placed perfectly to accent the bay window. “Oh, wow.” She walked around the foot of the bed and laughed when she saw the cushioned seating at the base of the window. “I knew it would have a window seat.” Her fingers slid across the smooth wood of the dresser as she tested the softness of the cushions. “What size is the bed? It just needs a mattress and it’ll be perfect.”

“Should be a queen. This set was brought in about a year ago, but the last renters were male and didn’t find it appealing. This is one of the larger rooms, but I don’t think it’s been used in a while.”

“I’ve never had a bed that large …” Shaking her head, she sent Lisa a happy smile. “Mom, it’s perfect. I love it.” She looked around the room again, her gaze traveling to look out the window and over the back yard. “This is … it’s home. I know it.”

--------------------------------------------------

July 1995

Step, slide, step, jump, turn ...

He ticked off each move silently, his feet racing to keep up with the pounding beats that echoed around the large warehouse. Gasping for air, he threw his body into the next jump, focusing for only a second on the labored breathing that served as an undercurrent to the sliding and scraping of rubber soles against hard cement.

At the familiar key change, he dropped to his knees – jolting painfully against scorching stone – and switched his concentration to the arm movements Matt had choreographed especially for the bridge. Sixteen beats on the floor, then back to his feet for another minute of full body work before the end.

Sixty more seconds and they would have completed their first uninterrupted run through.

After weeks of repeating the same numbers over and over, he allowed himself the tiniest spark of hope that they were finally getting it.

Step, turn, kick, slide ...

Lance! What are you doing?”

The music came to an abrupt stop and he let himself collapse heavily onto his back, doing his best to ignore the sweltering heat curling up around his skin and focus on drawing in deep breaths, making a futile attempt to get his racing pulse under control.

“We’ve been over this a thousand times! It’s turn, kick, slide and then down. I can’t dumb it down any more than that, kid.”

JC wiped the sweat from his brow, glancing over to see the younger blonde lying a few feet away, cringing against the hateful tirade being flung at him. The familiar bass voice growled in a soft groan and he grimaced in misery before his hands covered his face and muffled what could have been an apology.

“Get up. We’ve got work to do.”

Muted groans rose in almost comical harmony and blue eyes swept the area around the makeshift dance floor, confirming that all of them were on the ground, chests heaving as they gasped for breath, too weary to even sit up, let alone start the high energy routine over again. His eyelids sank closed, his body throbbing in time with his heartbeat.

“Come on. Get your lazy asses up.”

“Give it a rest, Matt.” The angry voice came from just inside the door, growing louder as it moved closer to the group. “What are you doing to them? And why are they doing it here? This isn’t a practice space, it’s an oversized oven.”

“We lost the space we were using, so this is what we’ve got.” Even being in his late twenties, the choreographer was wary of the young brunette with the fiery temper. Matt eyed her cautiously as she approached quickly, a lioness ready to protect her cubs, none of which had moved an inch since she’d walked in. “It’s not all that hot in here …”

“Says the one who’s only standing around yelling at them. If you’ve been working them this hard all morning, they’re lucky to still be breathing, and you know it.” There was a heavy thud as something was set down next to him and JC breathed deeply, catching the faint scent of berries and cream. He blinked quickly, taking sporadic peeks at a worried brown gaze, her brow wrinkled with concern as she pulled a wet cloth from the large cooler she’d brought and pressed it lightly to his face. “Josh? You okay?”

At first touch, the cold against his cheek stung, then his pulse began to slow as the chill became heaven, the cool soaking up the heat as it moved over his forehead. He reached up, covering her hand with his until she let go, leaving him to hold the cloth himself, eyes still closed as he managed what he hoped was a small smile. “Yeah, I’m good. Thanks.”

“Drink something as soon as you feel up to it.” He could feel her stare on him as she set an ice-cold bottle on the cement next to his arm, then she turned to growl at the choreographer. “They’re nearly dehydrated and exhausted. Were you going to work them until they all dropped from heat stroke?”

“If that’s what it takes.”

“Figures. Idiot.” The words were mumbled under her breath, and if he’d had the energy, he’d have laughed. As it was, it took all his concentration just to follow their conversation. Ice rattled together and he forced his eyelids up when he felt her move away, shifting over until she could reach first Justin, then Joey. “They need a break, Matt. Give them an hour to ...”

“Not happening. Mr. Pearlman wants this set presentable by Friday and they’ve still got a lot of work to do.”

“Like I give a damn what Lou wants.” Her voice rose dangerously as she moved on to Lance, squeezing his shoulder gently as she pressed fabric against his cheek, earning a small smile as his eyes opened. “He’s a snake, and right now, I don’t think much better of you.” Matt opened his mouth to respond, but she cut him off quickly. “It’s 110 degrees outside and you’ve had them dancing nonstop for five hours in a metal warehouse with no air conditioning and apparently no running water ...”

“It’s all we’ve got to work with. If they’d get it together, it wouldn’t be this bad.” Slumped shoulders rose in a weary sigh as his gaze shifted to glare at Lance. “I don’t like it any more than you do, but there’s nowhere else for us to go and I can’t just kick out the slackers.”

“Oh, I know exactly where you can go.” She growled, eyes narrowing as she sent him a quick glare. “They need time to rest. Isn’t it time for you to have lunch or something?” Kneeling beside Chris, she immediately ran her fingertips over his nearly dry forehead. “Chris? You’ve gotta drink something for me, okay?”

When he didn’t respond, she took the last cloth from the cooler and began wiping his forehead. “Chris? Are you all right?” Worried, she grabbed his shoulders, pulling him up and shaking him until he began to come around. “Come on, Spazz. Help me out here.” She propped him against her upper body and dipped the cloth back into the melting ice, streams of cold water running down his forehead as she doused his hair.

He groaned when the water began soaking into his shirt. “Jeez, Jen. You didn’t have to give me a bath in it.”

“Shut up. Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m cool.” His hand trembled as he pulled a Gatorade from the bottom of the cooler. “This looks like heaven right now, though. Thanks.”

When he sat up away from her, she looked around the weary group, then back to Matt. “If you think you’re going to get anything else from them right now, you’re crazy.”

“All right, take an hour. Be ready to get back to this after lunch.” Matt glared at the five who still hadn’t moved from the ground, grabbing up his bag when his stare landed on the only one having trouble. Shaking his head, he spun on his heel, rolling his eyes sharply as he stalked to the door. “If you’re not ready to get it right, then I don’t want to see you.” He pushed his way outside, the force of the door slamming behind him increasing her temper.

She stared at the metal door, her breath speeding up in lividity as she looked back to JC. “How long have you guys been working out here?”

“About three weeks. Today’s not as bad as it was last Tuesday.” Joey’s voice was muffled by the cloth still covering his face. “It literally hurt to breathe once it hit 115.”

“That’s not rehearsing. It’s cruel and unusual punishment.” Shaking her head, she jumped up and jogged for the door, determined to catch the choreographer before he left the parking lot. Pushing out into the hot summer sun, she found him putting his bag into the backseat of his car. “Matt, listen …”

“I’ve got no choice here, Jen. Do you think I like putting them through that?” He sighed and leaned against the driver’s side door, his haggard expression making him appear far older. “If I had a kid and knew somebody was running him through the wringer like this, I’d be out for blood. But we really have nowhere else to go.”

“Not true.” She reached into her pocket and pulled out a receipt. “Do you have a pen?”

“Yeah, sure.” Confused, he fished through his bag until he could pass her a pencil. “What are you doing?”

“If I’d known about all this …” Her hand waved to indicate the building behind her before writing her address on the white square. “I’d never have let you all work here. My basement is a studio space. There’s a floor and mirrors down there, it’s air conditioned and has all the facilities you need. There’s even some padded mats if you need them. Give them two hours to rest, and it’s all yours. The fridge will be stocked before you get there.”

“Seriously?” Matt blinked in surprise as she handed him the address and pencil. “But, Lou …”

“I really despise that man.” She shook her head in disgust. “Tell him you’ve found a space that’s half the price he’s paying to rent this disaster, cash payment only. He’s all about the bottom line, so I doubt he’ll argue with you. I don’t care about the money, but I’m not going to let them kill themselves rehearsing in a furnace.”

“But aren’t you in class most of the time? Or working? How are we supposed to …”

“You’re kidding, right?” Her brows arched. “Josh and I are basically joined at the hip. He’s got his own key and comes and goes as he pleases. Each and every one of those guys knows they’re welcome anytime. And they usually show up when it’s my turn to cook.” The choreographer gave a startled laugh at her frustrated tone. “I can’t promise to feed you every day, but the basement’s yours as of right now.” An idea began to form, and her tone lifted with possibility. “And I might even be able to get some help for Lance.”

He snorted in disbelief. “Kid, you might can hand me the keys to the Taj Mahal, but even you can’t work miracles.”

“I’m not a miracle worker.” She shrugged with a smile. “I just have an awesome basement and a few friends in the dance department at school. Be at my place in two hours, take it easier on them this afternoon and I’ll see what I can do about getting him a little extra help.” Her gaze met his steadily as she held out her hand. “All without Lou’s shorts getting twisted. Deal?”

“This I gotta see.” Taking her hand with a chuckle, he gave it a firm shake. “You’ve got a deal.”

*********************

A few weeks later, Matt was thanking the heavens above that this particular group had come equipped with Jen Lawson.

“All right, guys! Looks great!” He clapped his hands as the music ended. “Lance, I’m impressed, kid. Good job.” The two dancers standing to the side of the floor smiled his direction, nodding with approval as the group left the floor and started gathering their things. “Sam and Jake, you two are a godsend. How much longer can you stick with us?”

“As long as you need us.” Sam leaned down and grabbed the bag at her feet. “This has been a blast. And if the track that Jen is working on for us sounds anything like the sample we heard, we’re definitely getting the better end of the deal.”

“Great. That’s awesome.” The choreographer went to remove the discs from the sound system and stacked them on the counter. “I’ve got other work booked for this weekend, so unless you’ve got something else scheduled, I’m guessing you might have a break for a few days. Get some rest, guys … just don’t forget what we’ve worked on. Next week, you add in the vocals.”

As he was finishing, the upper door opened, sending the aroma of something baked and cheesy floating down to them.

“Oh, God. How does she do that?” Joey groaned, his stomach growling in anticipation as they began tromping up the stairs. “I didn’t even know I was hungry.”

“Don’t you know, man? She’s got a sixth sense when it comes to you and your stomach.” With a laugh, Chris gave him a shove and sent him slamming through the doorway and sprawling on the floor.

“If you scratch my floor, you’ll be doing more than just dishes, Joe Bear.” The cool voice came from around the corner, followed immediately by the keys of the piano tinkling out a melody. “Calzones tonight, guys. Plenty for everybody, so eat up.” She paused to make a notation on the sheet music laid out in front of her. “Sam, Jake, Matt … you, too. If you’ve got no other plans, grab a plate and join us.”

“You don’t have to tell me twice.” Jake dropped his bag in the hallway and headed for the kitchen. “Thanks, Jen. You rock.”

“She’s not kidding, guys. There’s enough here for a small army.” Maggie smiled at Lance, who was pulling pitchers of drink from the fridge, and came around the counter to carry a full platter toward the table. “J, grab the other one, will you? Chris, Joey … you know where the plates and stuff are. Get to it.”

“Hey, Mags, the extra sauce is still simmering on the stove. Bowl’s on the counter. And don’t forget the pies. Bottom shelf.” Her fingers began moving over the keys again. “Just the chocolate ones, though. The strawberry ones are for the open house at the Center tomorrow.”

“How’s that going, by the way?” JC slid onto the bench next to her, picking out a higher harmony in the upper keys. “Are you liking the job?”

“I get to entertain kids three afternoons a week.” She smiled over at him. “And my boss is awesome. I’ve even gotten some responses to my ads for piano and guitar lessons. So, yeah … it’s kind of fantastic.”

“Girl, if I keep coming over here, I’m going to be in no shape for fall performances.” Sam groaned as she carried one of the pies to the table, smiling at the music filling the room. “And whatever you’re working on over there sounds awesome. Any chance we could we use that one, too? Sounds like it would be perfect for our contemporary assignment this semester.”

“You can use anything you’d like. It all goes in my portfolio, anyway.” Jen grinned over her shoulder. “But be warned … I just finished reading Wuthering Heights for my Lit class. The lyrics for this one aren’t exactly in a loving mood.”

“Doesn’t matter to me. We can choreograph to anything, as long as it sounds like that. What’ve you got?”

“Yeah, Boof.” Jen glanced over when JC lifted his fingers from the keyboard and nudged her with his shoulder. “Let’s hear it.”

A dark brow arched as she kept looking at him, her fingers automatically launching into the melody. Her eyes closed as she listened, trying to find the perfect place for the lyrics, then began to sing.

You took your coat off and stood in the rain
You were always crazy like that
And I watched from my window
Always felt I was outside looking in on you

You were always the mysterious one with
Dark eyes and careless hair
You were fashionably sensitive but too cool to care
You stood in my doorway, with nothing to say
Besides some comment on the weather

Well, in case you failed to notice
In case you failed to see
This is my heart bleeding before you 
This is me down on my knees

These foolish games are tearing me apart 
And your thoughtless words
Are breaking my heart
You’re breaking my heart


The music continued as she stopped singing. “There’s another verse, but it’s not quite done. I’m thinking some violin and a little percussion could finish out the arrangement, but I’ll have to play with it a little more once I get it to my computer.” Absolute silence met her comment and she stopped playing to look toward the table. “What?”

Every seat around her dining room table was occupied, food on every plate … and everyone was staring at her, dumbfounded.

“Okay, was it that bad? Or did I just put too much seasoning in my crust this time?”

“Jen, I’ve been in the business for a while and I’ve never heard anything like that.” Matt put his fork down beside his plate. “Have you been submitting your work at all?”

“Well, no.” She shrugged. “I don’t actually start my Music Comp class for a few more weeks. I’m just gathering everything together so I can turn it in as I build my portfolio. We’re supposed to add to it until we graduate, but I’ve already got so many …” Her hand gestured toward the shelves of journals against the wall. “All I need is to print the arrangements to sheet music and I could turn in something every week and never have to write anything new.” Her gaze landed on Sam and Jake. “Then there’s the instrumental compositions. It’s ridiculous, really.”

“Yeah, definitely don’t stop writing. I don’t know how your advisor will operate, but if they set you up with somebody to handle the legal side for you, make sure I get their information. I don’t just work for Lou, you know. I run into people looking for new material every day.” He nodded at her. “If everything you have is like that … you’re going to be big.”

“And girl, you can sing.” Maggie shook her head and pointed at her with her fork. “Sneaky, sneaky, Jen … hiding a voice like that. You knew I’d want you to audition with me, didn’t you?”

“Oh, no. I do not perform. I’ll record my demos, but that’s it.” The denial was immediate, fear flashing across her face at the thought. “I could never get up in front of people like you guys do.”

“Just what do you think your final project is supposed to be?” Jake laughed, forking a bite into his mouth. “We all have to present our work in an open showcase before a panel of professors in our field – choreographed numbers for us, performance of portfolio for you. Every senior gets assigned a date in their last semester and you’re awarded your degree based on their impressions of your program.” He took another bite. “Of course, there usually isn’t a very big turnout for those, so it’s really just the panel and whatever friends or family can make it.”

“Man, stop.” Lance nudged him with an elbow. “She just turned green.”

Everyone at the table went back to their plates, conversations picking up from where they’d been a few minutes ago, and she turned to JC, her eyes wide with panic. “Josh … I can’t. I … what am I gonna do?”

“You keep working.” He stood, pulling her up with him. “Keep playing for us. Pretend your audience is filled with friends. Maggie seems more than willing to help you. Let her.” A smile lifted his features as he brushed her hair out of her face. “Even if it means going to an audition or two.” His hands cupped her cheeks. “You’re going to be fine, Jenny. Better than fine. I promise.” He kissed her forehead and released her. “Now let’s eat. I’m starving.”

“You’re always starving.” Laughing, she followed him to the kitchen, pouring their drinks as he filled their plates from the table and pulled a stool away from the counter for her. “Thanks.”

“Okay, what’s their deal?” Sam spoke with a lowered voice as she watched the pair at the counter. “Jen says they’re friends – that you’re all friends – but … really?” Her brows arched. “Truth?”

“They’ve been best friends since the first grade and there’s a lot of water under their bridge.” Chris leaned forward to refill his glass. “There’s a lot of flirting back and forth, and it’s rare for them to go much longer than a day without seeing or talking to each other. Honestly, I think there’s something more, but if it’s there, they don’t know it yet.”

“Oh, he knows it, he’s just chicken.” Justin lifted a piece of pie to his plate. “I’ve known Jace a few years now. He’s probably the most laid-back, chill guy I’ve ever met. Before she came down for her summer semester, the only times I’d ever seen him really come alive were either on stage or when he had her on the phone. He’d talk about her all the time and I really thought she was too good to be true.” He looked over when Jen began laughing at something JC had said. “But when I met her, it totally made sense. It’s like he just sparks to life when she’s around.”

“She’s in my math class this summer and I’ve never seen her without a smile.” Jake reached for the pie. “My first impression was that she was one of the happiest, sweetest people I’d ever met. When she came and asked us for help, I actually considered asking her out. Then I saw her around him and she just … well, I don’t really stand a chance, do I?”

“Sorry, man. I had the same idea.” Joey sat back in his chair, sighing at his empty plate. “And if it looks like things cool down on that front, I call dibs.” His gaze landed on Maggie and he smiled. “Unless her housemate is interested. I’d be down with that.”

“Yeah, right.” Maggie snorted and stood from the table, gathering up empty plates. “Sorry, Joe. Nothing personal, you’re just not my type.” She glanced over toward the kitchen and smiled. “It’s going to be fun to see how they turn out, though. Glad I’ve got a front row seat.”

 

 

End Notes:

And there we have it.  Definitely not an ending, but a progression toward other things to come.  :-)

Chapter Nine by Renee

August, 1995

"Good afternoon!"

A hush came over the crowd of students as the instructor breezed into the classroom, dropping a stack of folders and books on her desk before turning to face her audience.

"I’m Professor Alexandra Summers and this is Music Composition I." She crossed her arms over her chest. “If you intend to major or minor in anything other than music, then you are here by mistake. If you aspire to be anything other than a lyricist, songwriter, composer or – at the very least – a performer, then you are here by mistake. If you do not know the difference between a lyricist and a songwriter ..."  Her brow arched at the class as she paused.

“Then you are here by mistake.” The class chorused behind her, some students chuckling at her humor.

“Exactly.” Professor Summers leaned back to sit on the edge of her desk with a smile. “Facts are facts: over my years of teaching, this class has achieved a forty-five percent dropout rate by the second week and a sixty-five percent dropout rate by mid-term. Of those who survive the first term, less than half return. Of those who complete the Bachelor’s program, less than two percent are successful.” Her blonde hair swayed as she turned her head to take in the young people before her. “This class and this program are designed to bring out the absolute best in those who have the drive to succeed. But only those with the grit to work hard will get there.”

A twitter passed through the students as they fidgeted and looked among themselves, then the focus turned back to the head of the class.

“It’s one thing to have a dream. It’s another to achieve it.” The professor nodded as she continued. “On the same token, it’s one thing to aspire to greatness. It’s another to possess the talent that obtains it. Most of you have probably been scribbling poems and lyrics, strumming or tinkling out tunes for years. Your parents and your friends have convinced you that you have what it takes. That’s all well and good. However, the goal of this four-year track is to establish a well-rounded and distinguished portfolio. Ideally, that portfolio will include instrumental compositions, songs with full arrangements and standard lyrical submissions.”

“The doors of this classroom will be open three times a week, to allow you to submit works for consideration. You may also present work to me at my office. My hours and contact information are in the packet you’ll receive as we dismiss. Outside of this classroom, I expect you to spend hours upon hours fine-tuning your work – this is a perfectionist’s field, people. If you are striving for less, drop this class today.”

“As demos are required to accompany your arrangements, you will be expected to log enormous amounts of time in the music labs – the recording technicians will become your best friends. Get to know them, and quickly. They are your assets. Some of you will prefer not to provide your own vocals on your demos. If that is your circumstance, I suggest you make nice with the folks over in the Vocal department – they’re willing to provide voices, and most are easily directed.” She cleared her throat and took a drink from the mug on the corner of the desk. “Keep in mind that you will be required to perform during your final Senior showcase presentation. In order to obtain your final degree, you must vocalize at least a portion of your own work before a board of your professors. If that poses a problem for you, perhaps you should enroll in a vocal course as one of your electives.”

“For those of you who were able to purchase the software programs suggested during your class orientation, you have an advantage. And those of you already familiar with how to operate it are a lucky bunch indeed. You’ll be able to achieve far more without having to utilize the campus facilities, especially if you’re submitting an instrumental composition. Those demos may be finalized using that software and submitted without using the campus labs.”

“By each term’s end, you are required to have submitted exactly twelve completed works for my approval. You may submit as many pieces as you’d like – darken my door every day, if you must – but under no circumstances will you pass this course if you attempt to submit less than twelve. Do not fear if your work is rejected. Very rarely is a student allowed to enter all of their work into their portfolio.”

“For anyone participating in the Bachelor’s program, I will serve as your advisor. I encourage you to use me. Ask for my advice. Seek for my direction. On occasion, I encounter a student with great potential. For those who impress me, I have contacts that I am happy to utilize to their advantage.” She straightened from the desk and picked up one of the folders. “Strive to impress me. It will be to your benefit. Class dismissed.”

As the students filed out the door, she distributed packets, measuring who she would likely not see again.

“It’s wonderful to meet you, Professor Summers.” A petite brunette greeted her as she accepted the packet, a smile lighting her features. “I look forward to working with you.”

She was the only student to engage, and it was a bit of a surprise, given her gentle appearance, but upon further scrutiny, the determination was obvious behind her brown eyes. This girl had a spark, a grit to her that told of her willingness to fight for achievement. “I look forward to it as well, Miss …”

“Lawson. Jen Lawson.” With a nod, she pulled her bag up higher on her shoulder as she began to move toward the door. “I think we’re going to get to know each other very well.”

*********************

“Three?” The next day, she found herself staring at Jen across her desk as she was handed three packets of sheet music accompanied by three demo discs. “Already? When did you find the time to complete three pieces?”

“I did my research and bought the software over a year ago. It seemed like a good idea to go ahead and learn how to use it.” The girl shrugged. “I’ve been working on instrumentals for as long as I’ve been writing, so all I had to do was connect my keyboard and start playing.” A smile began to form. “I love my piano, but being able to work up the string and orchestral arrangements was fun. And streaming from my guitar is so much easier than trying to hand write all those notations.” Her brow furrowed. “I have a few other things almost ready, but I wasn’t able to make it to the labs last night, so none of these have vocals. Is that okay?”

“We’re only two days into the term, you’re already done with a quarter of the assignment and you want to know if it’s okay that they’re instrumentals?” Shaking her head, the professor sat back in her seat, studying her student intently. “You know what? Close the door and have a seat. Normally, I’d critique a demo alone and get back with advice, but let’s listen together.”

“All right.” Jen immediately pushed the door closed, pointing toward the middle packet as she sat down. “Can we start with that one? I’d really like to know what you think.”

Professor Summers placed the disc in the system beside her desk, pressed Play and sat back with her eyes closed as piano music filled the room. “Very nice.” She spoke softly. “Lovely.” After a minute and a half, the orchestration swelled to join in and she sat up, the hairs on her arms raising with the rich emotion flowing from the speakers. Too soon – but in perfect fashion – the piece ended, silence suddenly falling over them.

Her hand trembled as she removed the disc, placing it back with the sheet music for the piece. “When did you write this?”

“I started it a few years ago.” Clearing her throat, Jen looked down at her hands. “My father passed away when I was thirteen, and music was my escape so I could cope. Composing, writing lyrics and my best friend were the only things that kept me sane afterward. I wanted to write something that I could dedicate to him and while I have notebooks and journals full of material, this was the first one I finished. I call it Homeward Bound.”

“I’m sorry for your loss, Jen. But this …” Fingers tapped over the packet. “This is astounding. You’re so young. How old are you?”

“I’m about to turn nineteen.”

“Nineteen.” Wonder filled her voice as she reached for the next disc. “Can we listen further?”

“Sure.” A smile spread when she saw the selection. “I wrote this one this past spring. I was so excited to move down for school and Josh – my friend – was coming with me for an opportunity of his own. I have a few other songs with lyrics that came about at the same time, but this was just a fun session on my guitar and I love how it turned out.”

Both sat to listen as the whimsical guitar melody began to fill the room. Jen closed her eyes and began to sway with the rhythm, her fingers strumming absently against her leg as she relived the piece.

“I think I’ve heard enough.”

“Professor Summers …” Concern etched lines across her forehead. “Was it okay?”

“Jen, as long as we’re in this office, call me Alex.” She stood and came around the desk, her hands settling on the girl’s shoulders. “And it was beyond okay … these instrumentals are phenomenal. If your composition work is any indication of your lyrical work, then I’m beyond excited to see what else you submit. Make sure to go down to the lab this week and work with one of the engineers on some vocal demos. In fact, when you go in, ask for Brian and tell him that I sent you. We need to see what you’ve got as a songwriter.”

*********************

“Hey Amber … I’m late!” Jen jogged down the hallway of the community center, pausing only long enough to wave into her boss’ office and drop her guitar case by the door. “Where are they?”

“I know you are. Maggie’s got them in the viewing room, I think.” Amber made it to her door in time to see the younger girl skidding around the corner, heading for the kids’ area. “What’s going on?”

“We’ll talk later! Maggie’s gonna kill me!” As she neared the room that housed a large television and an array of bean bag chairs, she took a deep breath, trying to calm down before pushing through the door and into the darkened room. Allowing a moment for her eyes to adjust, she finally located Maggie sandwiched between two kids, fixated on Peter Pan teaching Wendy how to fly.

“How’s it going?” She whispered, kneeling behind them.

“Fine. It’s been a good day for movies. Nobody’s really in the mood for much, since school just started.” Maggie extracted herself from the chair, and the children took the opportunity to stretch out. “By the time this is over, the parents should be getting here.”

“Awesome. Sorry I’m late.”

“No problem.” The redhead shrugged, then suddenly focused. “Wait a second. You were meeting with your advisor. Did you turn in your demos? How’d it go?”

“We’ll talk about it later.” Jen’s lips twitched into a smile. “But we’re having celebration pancakes tonight.”

“Ooooh … I love celebration pancakes!” Maggie gave her a quick hug. “Can mine have the cinnamon-sugar stuff like you did the last time? Those were delish.”

“Yep. Now get going, or you’ll be late for class. I’ve got Chloe’s guitar lesson after this, but I’ll see you at home.”

“Don’t be too late, Jen. You look tired.” With a quick glance to her watch, she picked up her bag and dashed out the door. “See you later. Have fun!”

True to her word, the movie ended with just enough time to get everyone’s things gathered to go home. After the last car had pulled away, Jen made her way back to Amber’s office to collect her guitar and student. “Hey, Chloe. Are you ready?”

“Yeah.” Looking to her mother, the girl stood. “Are you gonna listen tonight, Mom?”

“I’ll be there in a minute, sweetie.” Amber glanced up with a smile. “I’ve got a little more paperwork to do, then I’ll lock up.”

Not long after, the ten-year-old was tapping her foot as they strummed through Sweet Caroline, laughing when Jen and Amber sang the ‘Bum-Bum-Bum’ that accented the chorus.

“It’s almost six, girls. We need to be wrapping it up.”

“Okay, Mom.” Chloe packed away her guitar, then hugged Jen around the waist. “Thanks, Jen. That was fun!”

“You’re doing great, kiddo.” Jen returned the embrace with a smile. “Pretty soon, you’ll be getting all those chords on your own.”

“You think so?” Wide blue eyes glittered with childish joy.

“I know so.”

“You hear that, Mom? I’m getting good!” She didn’t wait for a response, just picked up her case and dashed for the office to grab her bag.

Amber grinned at her daughter’s back, shaking her head. “She loves learning to play. Thank you for being so patient with her.”

“Hey, there was a day when somebody had to be patient with me. I get it.” As she always did, Jen immediately thought of Matt when she heard her boss’ laughter. Tilting her head, she studied Amber carefully: late twenties, mid-height, long blonde hair, great smile. They’d be cute together.

“You’re staring at me. Did I drop my lunch or something?” Amber brushed her hands down her shirt, looking for stains in the fabric.

“No, but I wanted to ask …” Jen smiled tentatively. “There’s a guy I’d like you to meet. I’ve been considering giving him your number, but I figured I’d better ask first.”

“Guitar teacher and now matchmaker?” A blonde eyebrow arched. “That’s a stretch.”

“Hear me out. His name is Matt, he’s cute and he’s single. He’s working with a friend of mine and I’ve spent quite a bit of time around him. Kind of busy, but a great guy.” She shrugged. “No promises, but it couldn’t hurt for me to pass it on.”

“Well …” Amber bit her lip. “It’s been a long time, Jen.”

“I figured. That’s why this is perfect. No strings attached. I’ll give him your number and if he doesn’t call, then he doesn’t call. You won’t even have met him.”

“When you put it like that, then sure. Why not?”

“Great.” Jen pulled a scrap of paper from her bag. “Do you want him to have this number or your home number?”

“Home. He can leave a message if I’m not there and it won’t lead to a million questions from the secretary.”

“All right. Home it is.” She scratched the number down and pushed the paper in her pocket. “Sorry I was late. I had a meeting with my advisor at school.”

“Really? Everything all right?” Amber picked up her bag and started toward the door, where Chloe was waiting impatiently.

“Actually, everything’s great. I turned in some demos for my portfolio and she loved them.” Jen dug her keys out of her pocket as she stepped outside and headed for her car with a wave. “I’m heading home to celebrate. You ladies have a great night.”

*********************

An array of vehicles was in the drive when she pulled into the garage … rehearsal was running long tonight. She could hear music beneath her feet as she hung her bag in the hallway and returned her guitar to its stand.

A smile formed at the smooth blend of voices coming up from the basement and she trailed her fingers over the piano, making her way to the kitchen to begin assembling the ingredients for the meal she’d been planning. Before long, she had sausage patties and seasoned potatoes cooking in skillets on the stove and a pan of bacon crisping in the oven, the smells making her mouth water as she set out various types of syrups and sauces for pancakes. A glance at the clock told her that Maggie would arrive shortly, so she began mixing together a triple portion of batter and gathering various add-ins, mixing up a deep saucer of cinnamon-sugar and melting some butter for her friend’s requested coated cakes.

Jen was just setting the bowl of potatoes on the table when the door to the garage opened and a familiar groan carried into the room. “Girl, you seriously need to teach me how to cook.”

“I’ve tried, but you seem to think that food tastes better when someone else is fixing it. Remember?” She laughed and headed back to where her griddle was heating. “They’re still working downstairs. If we hurry, you can have your plate fixed before they make an appearance. Do you want your cakes plain or do you want chocolate chips before I coat them?”

“Chocolate chips? Heck, yeah.” Maggie stole a piece of bacon from the platter and was crunching through it as she walked into the kitchen. “So, your meeting was good?”

“It was better than good. It was fantastic.” Jen smiled as she poured three round circles of chocolate chip batter on the griddle. “Professor Summers was … I got the feeling she was impressed.”

“From what I hear, that’s something to be more than happy about. Rumor has it that she really doesn’t get too excited over much.”

“Well, she seemed excited today.” Turning over the cakes expertly, she gave each a pat. “Guess I made a good first impression. Hand me a plate, will you?”

The music from downstairs came to an end as Maggie fetched the plate and studied her calm demeanor for a moment before grinning. “You’re dancing on the inside, aren’t you?”

“You’d better believe it.” She managed to get the cakes off the griddle before she started bopping across the tile floor. “She said my demos were phenomenal!” Her hips swung back and forth as she spun in a circle. “And she can’t wait to hear what else I have!” Laughing, she brushed each pancake with melted butter before tossing them in the cinnamon sugar and stacking them on the plate to hand over to Maggie. “Chocolate Chip Snickerdoodle pancakes, as ordered. Toppings are on the table, if you need them.”

The basement door burst open and a chorus of groans accompanied the group filing out of the hallway as she quickly mixed more chocolate chip batter and poured four circles on the griddle. “Pancakes made to order, guys. Grab a plate and figure out what you want. I’ve got four chocolate chip cooking.”

After a rush of shuffling, she turned to find Joey standing first in line, charming smile in place. “How is it that you don’t have a man, Hot Stuff? Your food alone should have them lined up around the block.”

“Why do I need a man?” She flipped the pancakes onto his plate with a sigh. “I’ve already got at least six to feed most nights.” Arching an eyebrow, her hand playfully patted Joey’s stomach. “Besides, my dating would probably have me somewhere else right now. You wouldn’t want this thing to suffer, would you?” A smile flashed across her face as she steered him out of the way. “Get out of my kitchen. What’ll you have, J?”

Four plates later, the adrenaline was fading and weariness was setting in. She glanced over to JC, who had avoided the line and propped against the counter, talking to Chris and Lance until she sent them to the table, sneaking chocolate chips from the bowl when he thought she wasn’t looking. “Did you leave any for us?”

“Uh …” His eyes met hers like a guilty toddler who’d just gotten caught with his hand in the cookie jar. “There’s enough. Maybe.”

“It’s okay.” Laughing, she went on tiptoe and struggled to reach for a high cabinet. “There’s another bag.”

“Hang on. Let me …” He stepped behind her and put a hand on her waist, reaching over her head easily to open the cabinet and retrieve the bag she’d been grasping for. “These?”

“Yeah. Thanks. You guys sounded great as I was coming in.” She took the chocolate chips and set them down, trying to act unfazed when his hand stayed where it was. “I think we deserve extra tonight, don’t you?”

“Are these celebration pancakes?” His arm went around her, pulling her back until she leaned into his chest. “How did your advisor meeting go?”

“She said my compositions were phenomenal and she can’t wait to hear what I’ve got with lyrics.” Jen relaxed, letting her head rest against him. “I’m supposed to meet with Brian in the lab to record some vocal demos this week.” She looked up at him. “I thought I’d go over after my classes in the morning. Want to help me pick out a few to take?”

“I’d love to.” He squeezed her tightly in a hug and dropped a kiss against her hair. “That’s fantastic, Boof. I’m proud of you.” Blue eyes trailed over her face, darkening with concern. “You look exhausted.”

“Well, I was up late last night finishing out that third piece. And my first class was at eight this morning. It’s been a long day.” With a small smile, she pushed gently against his arm until he let her go. “Long, but great. And I’m starving. How many do you want?”

“You’re doing too much.” Tearing open the bag she’d laid on the counter, he poured some chips into the batter, added what was left in the bowl and stirred it together quickly before letting her approve. “Enough?”

“Yeah.” She watched with a raised brow as he began ladling the last of the batter into five pancakes on the griddle. “Are you seriously cooking for me?”

“Kind of, yeah. I’m a little late to the game.” Picking up the turner, he laughed. “And I probably need supervision, or these might turn out a little crispy. Long enough?”

“Not quite. Give it another minute.” When the edges appeared more firm, she nodded. “Okay, flip them, then pat each one down.”

He obeyed, smiling at the evenly browned surface of the cakes. “How long on this side?”

“Just a minute or two. The center was mostly cooked before the turn.” She reached over and picked up two plates from the counter. “Flip again to make sure they’re brown. Good. They look good.” Her elbow gestured toward the right side of the griddle. “I’ll take those two, you take the rest.”

His eyes cut toward her as he put two of the larger pancakes from the left side on her plate, reserving the smaller ones for himself. “Celebration pancakes, right? Go wild, Jen.”

“If you insist.” With a laugh, she turned off the griddle. “I can’t remember the last time somebody cooked for me. You know, other than in a restaurant. You’re the best, Josh.”

“Really?” He followed her to the empty seats at the table, pulling out her chair with his free hand so she could sit next to Matt. “Surely it’s not been that long.”

“Hmmm …” She thought about it as she poured chocolate sauce on her plate and passed the bottle to him. “My birthday last year. Mom was on second shift, so she fixed lasagna. And you had her make that cake because you were surprising me.” A smile formed as she scooped some Cool Whip from the container. “So, yeah, it’s been about a year.”

“You’ve cooked for yourself every day for a year?” Chris looked around at the plates littering the table with wide eyes. “God, Jen … why?”

“Well, I don’t cook like this every day, Chris. Jeez. I know I’m not exactly skinny, but I’m no Violet Beauregarde ready for the Juicing Room, either.” She laughed and shook her head as she took a bite. “Mom’s appetite never caught up to working seconds and I was afraid that she’d never get back to eating right, so I started cooking our meals together and leaving hers for when she was ready for it.” Her fork stabbed into a potato as she continued. “I’ll eat in a restaurant, but I’m really not a fan of fast food, period. And I’m not above having a bowl of cereal or a sandwich if I’m on my own and seriously not in the mood to fire up the stove. But I know you guys work hard when you’re here and I’d rather you all have a good meal after being active all day.” She lifted her shoulders in a shrug and added another piece of sausage to JC’s plate. “You know me. I have to take care of everybody.”

Her focus went to her plate for a few bites and silence took over as the others traded glances around the table.

“I appreciate it, Jen.” Matt leaned over and draped an arm around her shoulders, squeezing lightly. “More than you probably know.”

“Oh, I might have an idea.” Jen grinned at his empty plate, then her eyes widened and she set her fork down to reach into her pocket. “And I have a gift for you, by the way.” She held a folded piece of paper out to him. “Use this wisely.”

“Use what?” He unfolded the paper, then looked back to her. “Who is Amber and why do I need her number?”

“Amber is my boss and she’s absolutely fabulous.” She sent him a smile. “I know you’re a busy guy – she’s not expecting anything – but if you have any free time at all, she’s single and easing back out of a rough time.”

His brow arched sharply. “You’re setting me up?”

“No, I’m giving you a great opportunity to meet a wonderful woman.” Her head tilted. “She’s around your age, blonde, about Maggie’s height. Every time I hear her laugh, I immediately think of you. Just a head’s up, though … she has a daughter, Chloe, who’s ten and just the sweetest thing. If that’s an issue, then forget all about it.” She reached out and tucked the paper more securely into his hand. “But if you’re really the type of guy I’ve seen you to be, that won’t matter. Like I said, no expectations. I’d just really hate for you to miss out on her.”

“She’s not wrong, Matt.” Maggie spoke up from across the table. “Actually, she’s pretty much a genius. I’ve been trying to figure out who Amber reminded me of since I met her.” She sent a thumbs up to Jen. “Right on!”

“Okay.” Matt slipped the number into his pocket. “I’m not saying yes, but I’ll definitely think about it.”

“That’s all I ask.” Jen nudged him with her elbow. “Who knows? If this music thing doesn’t work out, maybe I should just open a restaurant and start hosting mixers. What do you think?”

“Oh, don’t let her fool you. She was on Cloud Nine earlier because she seriously impressed the professor who has the highest drop out rate on campus.” Maggie laughed. “I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone with a happy dance like that.”

“Hey, I got positive feedback. That’s deserving of a happy dance, at the very least.”

“That’s great, Girlie.” Lance smiled her direction. “Who’s the professor?”

“Professor Alexandra Summers.” Jen took the last bite off her plate. “She’s direct, no-nonsense, absolutely scary beyond all reason, and wants vocal demos recorded by the end of the week, so I need to make some really good choices, fast. I’m terrified.”

“Alex Summers? Really?” Matt sat up straight. “She was one of the heads at Universal Publishing until she decided to retire a few years ago. I had no idea she was teaching now.” He looked over at Jen and nodded. “Even after retiring, she’s got connections like you wouldn’t believe. Get her to back you, and you’ll have a foot in doors most folks couldn’t even dream of.”

“Great. That totally relaxes me.” Turning an alarming shade of white, she buried her face in her hands. “I’m gonna take the wrong stuff in there and she’s just going to kick me right back out of her office.”

“And that’s definitely what isn’t going to happen.” Maggie stood up and started gathering dishes. “We’re gonna clean up and you’re going to your office for some quiet time before you pick the songs that’re gonna blow her socks off.” She looked over at JC. “Jace, go with her and keep her calm. She’s headed for a major freak out.”

“Yep. Let’s go, Boof.” He took her hand and pulled her from the chair. “You need a little time out and then we’ll figure it out together.”

She didn’t say a word as he led her through the living room and into her office. Once the door was closed behind them, she walked directly to him, fisted her fingers into his shirt and just leaned against him, taking deep, shuddering breaths. He wrapped an arm around her and buried the other hand in her hair, pulling her closer until her arms went around his waist, then started swaying slowly, humming a nonsense tune until her breathing calmed down.

“Josh?”

“Mmhmm?”

Her chest heaved with another deep breath. “I think I need to sit down.”

“Okay.” He took two steps back, only releasing her long enough to get settled on the couch across from the computer desk, his arms going back around her as she curled into his side. “Better?”

“Yeah.” She closed her eyes and rested her cheek against his chest, listening to his steady pulse.

“Overdid it a little today, didn’t you?” His fingers combed through her hair and he rolled his eyes when he felt her shrug. “We get that you’re the mama bear around here, and you can do it all. But you can’t just take care of everybody else, Jen. You’ve got to take care of yourself, too. If you need help with anything, ask. There’s plenty of us around.”

“Uh huh.” Her tone was sleepy and non-committal as she moved, crawling onto his lap and looping an arm around his neck, snuggling further into his chest.

“Hey, I’m serious.” He shook her just a little, until her eyes opened to look up at him. “It’s just the beginning of the term. If you’re this worn out in the first week, then you’re headed for real trouble once testing starts. You’re acting like it’s a race to the finish when you’re still at the starting line. Don’t push yourself this hard, okay? Please? For me?”

“I promise.” She nodded with a sigh, then tucked her face against him again. “My classes start later in the morning and I seriously need a nap. Will you still help me go through some stuff tonight?”

“Yeah, I’ll stick around.” He chuckled and pressed his lips to her forehead, settling back into the cushions when he realized she was already asleep, breathing steadily against him. “Like I’ve got a choice.”

About half an hour later, a knock came at the door before it opened, and Chris poked his head in the room. “You guys decent?”

“As decent as we can be, I suppose.” JC looked up with a grin, shaking his head. “What’s up?”

“Just checking that everything’s all right. It was awfully quiet in here.” Chris studied them for a minute, taking in how his friend was basically acting as a body pillow, Jen sleeping soundly on him. “Man, I’ve never seen anything like the two of you.”

“Yeah, we’re definitely one of a kind.” He glanced down when she began stirring against him, his hand making slow circles over her back. “She’d worn herself out and then stressed into a panic, I guess.”

“Is she okay?”

“She’s fine.” Jen turned her head to look blearily at Chris. “Just needed to chill for a little while. We’re good now.” She removed her arms from around JC’s neck, sitting up straight to stretch out the kinks before kissing his cheek. “Now I know why you’re so into napping. I feel awesome.” Standing up, she stretched again, then moved toward the door.

“Well, I’m glad.” His hands began massaging his thighs, working out the numbness. “I’ll let you know when I can walk again.”

“Wow.” Chris let a laugh escape, biting back the obscene comment hovering on the tip of his tongue. “Okay, then. Matt headed out a little while ago and Joey just took the kids back to the house. Apparently, air hockey brings out violent tendencies in Timberlakes. Especially when there are pool cues hanging around.”

“Oh, my.” Her eyes widened. “Everybody still in one piece?”

“Yep. Between me and Lance, we rescued both Joey and your pool equipment. At least he didn’t go for the darts.”

“And to think I nearly cleared that room out when I moved in. What joy we would’ve missed.” She laughed, then glanced back to JC. “I’ll be right back. Are you still okay to help me?”

“Yeah, I’m good.” He was straightening out his legs slowly, wincing as they came back to life. “Chris, are you ready to go? I can stay here tonight if I need to.”

“Do you care if I sit in, too?” Chris looked to Jen. “I still haven’t gotten to hear any of your finished stuff.”

“I can use all the advice I can get. Grab a seat. Or better yet, start looking.” Her hand gestured toward the bookcase that was filled with thin manila packets as she walked out of the room. “They’re in alphabetical order and each one has a full arrangement disc, a backing demo disc, lead sheet and sheet music in it.”

“Wow.” He walked over to the case, his fingers flipping along the envelope edges until he pulled one out. “She has to have more than two hundred songs here.” Dark eyes darted over to JC. “Any chance any of these are about you?”

“Not that I know of.” JC grimaced as he got to his feet. “But then, the journals with purple dots are off limits to me, too. I’ve got no idea what’s in those. She could’ve killed me off a million times and I’d never know it.”

“Oh, I can make a few educated guesses at what’s so off limits. Seriously, though … you’ve never snuck even a little peek?” Chris slid a few pages of sheet music out to read, grinning as JC shifted his weight slowly. “And do you really think I’m buying that your only issue right now is numbness?”

“I’d like to remain in one piece, so no. She says it’s off limits, then it’s off limits.” A bit of crimson stained the back of his neck. “And did I say my only issue was being numb? No, I didn’t. But there are some things she really doesn’t need to know.”

“Hey, I’ve got eyes, Jace. I don’t blame you one bit.” With a nod, he put the packet back together and set it on the desk. “But Jen’s a really smart cookie. As clingy as you two are, it’s not likely she hasn’t caught on by now.”

“Then avoidance is our game, and we play it well.” JC joined him in flipping through the envelopes. “We’ve had years to practice.”

“Forget that, man. We’ve all seen how you guys dance around each other. As fun as it is to watch, it’s got to be exhausting.” Taking out another packet, he shook his head. “Do you have any idea what it does to her whenever you touch her?”

“We’ve always been touchy and as far as I can tell, she doesn’t react any differently now than when we were kids.”

“That’s because you’re not paying attention. She’s a real pro, you know. She goes stiff, then makes herself relax almost immediately. You totally affect her and she’s really good at not letting you see it.” Chris added the song to the desk. “There’s a flip side here, though. What does it do to you whenever you touch her?”

“I know exactly what it does to me, but it doesn’t matter. Until she lets me know she wants something more, her journals aren’t the only thing off limits.” Blue eyes narrowed dangerously as he glanced over. “For me or anyone else in this group. Look all you want, but don’t even think about trying to touch. She deserves better. Understood?”

“Oh, believe me … we all understand. Any guy who gets close enough to see you two together has no choice but to get the hint.” Dark brows arched. “But do you honestly think there’s any chance she’s going to find someone better for her than you are? If you really can’t see that you’re already the best thing in her world, Jace, then keep your distance. But one good kiss, and I’m pretty sure you’d be changing your own rules.”

“Whatever.” They both went quiet as they heard Maggie and Jen approaching the door. JC’s thumb brushed over a name on the envelope below the song title. “Who do you think Mrs. Novak is?”

“You don’t remember the Novaks? They lived on the corner between us when we were in high school.” Jen smiled as they came in the room, passing them bottles of water. “Mr. Novak got really sick after you left for the show and I started doing grocery runs for them. He passed away not long after that, and Mrs. Novak was so sad that I made a point to stop in and visit her.” She took the packet from him, pulling out the disc and lead sheet. “She always made the best peanut butter cookies – I’ve got the recipe somewhere – and loved to talk about how they met. Their parents were against them being together, but even after sixty years of marriage, she said that he was the only one she’d ever wanted.” Powering on the sound system, she opened the disc tray. “The day after I finished this, I took my guitar over and played it for her. She just hugged me and cried. A few weeks later, she was gone, too.”

Piano and guitar music filled the room, accented by a simple percussion track, and she leaned against the desk, nodding her head to the beat as she followed along with the lead sheet in her hand. By the second verse, she’d put the page down and was mimicking the guitar chords against her legs, reciting the words from memory.

Ain’t nothin’ better
We beat the odds together
I’m glad we didn’t listen
Look at what we would be missin’

They said "I bet they’ll never make it"
But just look at us holdin’ on
We’re still together, still goin’ strong

You’re still the one I run to
The one that I belong to
You’re still the one I want for life
You’re still the one that I love
The only one I dream of
You’re still the one I kiss good night


The chorus repeated once more, then Chris glanced over at JC when the song ended, eyes widened. “I know I’ve joked about it before, but she’s seriously not human, is she?” When JC just grinned, he shook his head and turned back to Jen. “You wrote that in high school and you’re worried about your lyrics not being good enough? What planet are you from?”

“One that breeds bleeding hearts, apparently.” She sighed. “You know, weaklings who go hunting for a recipe I haven’t seen in years just because you lit up at the words ‘peanut butter cookies’?”

“Score!”

“Home planets aside, definitely take that one. That was awesome. You really need to use the song you were working on for Jake and Sam, too, if it’s finished. You know, the foolish games one? And how about the one you were writing for me?” Maggie headed across the room, then turned to the desk when she noticed a note on an envelope laying on the edge. “Hey, who’s ‘Guy from Smoothie Shop’?”

“Literally what it says – a guy from a smoothie shop.” Jen laughed as she took the packet Maggie was holding. “The Saturday after we moved in, I had to run to a few stores and skipped lunch, so I stopped in this little shop for a smoothie. I’d only been there a few minutes and this guy in a suit just sat down across from me and started talking. When he realized I wasn’t who he thought I was, he tried to leave, but I felt bad for him, so I got him to stay and vent. He’d just been the best man at his cousin’s wedding and the bride was his ex-girlfriend. They’d dated all through high school and into college, then she dropped him just as he was about to propose. Not even a year later, there they were. He wasn’t totally over her, but he did right by his cousin and stood up for him.” She made sure she had the full arrangement disc before putting it in the tray. “I never got his name, but he seemed like a nice guy. His heart was still a little broken, and the only negative he could come up with was that he’d hated the champagne at the ceremony. I came home and wrote this. It’s really for a male vocal, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. I love the arrangement, and the third verse and bridge are one of my favorites.”

“Can I?” JC held his hand out for the sheet music as the disc began to play, sight-reading quickly as the song progressed, paying close attention to the part she’d said was her favorite.

Your wagon’s been hitched to a star
Well now, he’ll be your thing that’s new
Yeah, what little I have you can borrow
’Cuz I’m old and I’m blue

And for the million hours that we were
Well, I’ll smile and remember it all
Then I’ll turn and go
While your story’s completed, mine is a long way from done


Chris leaned over and followed along for the last choruses, adding a higher harmony to the lead line.

Jen grinned at Maggie as the music closed and gestured to the duo, who were still studying the sheet music. “And that’s when I’ll know I’ve made it.”

“What?” Chris looked up from where he was pointing something out on the pages with an approving nod. “When?”

“When you guys are huge – you know it’s going to happen – and I write something your powers-that-be actually want you to record, I’ll know I’ve made it.”

“Somehow, I think you’re going to get there before we do.” Chris looked back down at the lyrics. “You’re more than a songwriter, Jen … you’re a storyteller. I’ll bet you have songs on those shelves that big names are going to be fighting over long before we get to release anything.”

“Well, I guess there’s only one way to find out, huh?” She walked over to the bookcase, flipped through and quickly pulled out five more packets. “Give me a few more minutes and we’ll call it a night. Tomorrow could just be the day that makes or breaks my career.”

Chapter Ten by Renee


The Music building was beautiful, she noticed, striving for the appearance of an actual production company’s offices. The open, airy atmosphere of the commons area blended seamlessly into four floors of classrooms, rehearsal spaces, lesson rooms and recording studios. She was really looking forward to starting her regular classes on the second floor in the morning, but right now, as she made her way to what seemed to be a reception desk, Jen had to consider that maybe breakfast hadn’t been such a good idea.


“Hey. You look a little lost.” The young guy behind the desk sent her a friendly smile, crossing his arms as he swiveled in his chair. “Which class are you looking for?”

“Hi. I’m looking for Brian …” Jen blinked quickly, suddenly realizing she didn’t have a last name. “Actually, that’s all I’ve got.” She laughed and shook her head. “Professor Summers just directed me to Brian in the labs. Any idea if he’s in today?”

“Yeah, he came in earlier. Hang on a sec.” Grabbing a cordless phone from beneath the desk, he punched in a few numbers, then waited for a second. “Hey, man. You in the middle of something? I’ve got …” He glanced at her quickly. “What’s your name?”

“Jen. Jen Lawson.”

“Yeah, I’ve got a Jen Lawson here looking for you. Summers sent her over.” The chair spun again as he listened. “Okay, yeah. I’ll send her up.” The phone beeped in disconnect. “He’s just closing out a session, but he’ll be ready by the time you get there. Take the elevators at the end of this hall to the third floor, then go right. Follow the signs to the Green Rooms and he’ll be in studio four. If the light by the door is off, just knock and go on in.”

“Okay. Thanks, uh …”

“Adam.”

“Right.” She flashed him a smile then turned to make her way down the hallway toward the elevators. “Thanks, Adam.”

“Good luck, Jen.” He swung the chair around to watch as she moved out of sight and sighed. “With the way he just sounded, you’ll need it.”

As she stepped onto the third floor, Jen immediately found a sign directing her to the Green Rooms. Swallowing hard, she pulled her bag higher on her shoulder and started walking, making a turn down another hallway just as a door ahead of her opened, a blonde girl rushing out and past her, making an odd choking noise as she went.

“Hey. Are you okay?” Alarmed, she almost turned to follow her.

“No!” The girl looked back, revealing the tears running down her face. “He’s … he’s awful!” And just like that, she was gone, barreling around the corner and back the way Jen had come.

Brows raised high, wide brown eyes turned to read the sign on the door the girl had just escaped from.

Green Rooms

“Oh, great.” She sighed as she opened the door, stepping into a waiting room surrounded by doors marked with studio numbers. Every light was off, so she found the door labeled with a four and knocked, then pushed it open cautiously. “Hello?”

“Hey, come on in.” A tall, dark haired guy was seated at the board, his back to her as she walked in and dropped her bag in an open seat. “Jen?”

“Yeah. Brian?”

“That’s me.” His fingers adjusted a few settings, quickly moving over the switches and knobs before him. “Summers sent you over?”

“She did.” Jen crossed her arms, studying his posture. “You didn’t happen to just send a blonde girl running for her life and sobbing as if the world was falling apart, did you?”

“Probably. She wasted an hour of my life on some tuneless drivel about a pickup truck and an ice cream sandwich.” He laughed, spinning the chair around to face her and coming to a sudden stop, his gaze freezing on her face. “Well, this is a tiny world. Smoothie girl?”

“Wow. Yeah, I guess it is.” A grin brightened her features when she recognized him. “You look much better than you did the last time I saw you. How are you doing?”

“I’m good. Glad I have a name to put with the face, Jen.” He smiled, gesturing for her to sit down. “I didn’t thank you for letting me vent that day. You probably should’ve just kicked me out of your booth.”

“Nah, you needed an ear.” She sat in the cushioned chair across from him and shrugged sheepishly. “And to be honest, I went home and wrote about it.” Her hand motioned toward her bag. “I hope you don’t mind. I didn’t think I’d ever see you again.”

“If it’s a hit, then I don’t mind at all.” Brian leaned back in his chair and studied her carefully. “Summers doesn’t usually make a habit of sending folks my way. What gives with you?”

“I turned in some composition pieces that she liked.” Her shoulders lifted in another shrug. “She really wanted to see what I could do with lyrics.”

“Trust me, if she’s sending you directly to me, she more than liked them.” His brow lifted. “I’m the student director of the Music Technology section. I train the guys who work with everybody else and take on the odd jobs when there’s nobody else available, if I’m not booked at my own studio.” He crossed his arms over his chest. “I’m not gonna lie, Jen. If it sucks, I’ll say so. Some people – like Tiffany who was just here – don’t have skin thick enough for this business. If you don’t have the grit to handle criticism, you’ll never make it.”

“Be as brutal as you want. If I can improve, I want to.” She nodded, the corner of her mouth lifting in a slight smile. “I’m a big girl. I can take it.”

“Okay. Let’s see what you’ve got.” The chair squeaked as he leaned forward. “Do you need musicians? Or did you bring arrangements?”

“I have my own.” Reaching for her bag, she unzipped it to reveal a stack of envelopes. “Just simple piano and guitar, minimal strings and maybe a little percussion if I felt the rhythm needed to be established.”

“Perfect. You don’t want to embellish too much on a demo. Most artists want to choose material that they can do their own thing with. But I do hope you’ve got full arrangements to record over, too. Having the sheet music ready will make putting together your Senior showcase easier.” His eyes widened when he saw how many she’d brought with her. “I can give you two hours, but that’s about it for today. We might make it through two or three if we can keep it to five takes.”

“I’m not the best vocalist in the world, but I’m passable. And these are my babies. I know them backwards and forwards. We probably won’t need to do them more than twice, unless you say so.”

He laughed. “Confident little thing, aren’t you?”

“Not really. I’m just well practiced.” She shook her head. “And I know that you don’t want a lot of vocal gymnastics on a demo, anyway. Straight and simple is the best way to sell a song.”

“Exactly.” Pulling a few of the packets from her bag, he stacked them next to the board. “Just tell me where you want to start and we’ll get going.” Another laugh escaped when he saw the notations on the top envelope. “I guess I’m ‘Guy from Smoothie Shop’, huh?”

“Yeah.” Grinning, she stood. “Let’s save that one for last, if you don’t care. I think it’s really more suited for a male vocal, but I’ll let you make that call.”

“Okay. We’ll start with Foolish Games, then.” He put the disc in the system and started loading the track for playback. “There’s some water in the cabinet over there. Help yourself.” Sizing her up, he measured the height of the microphone in the booth. “And we don’t want you to be standing on your toes, either. Let’s make sure you’re comfortable.”

“Sounds good.” She collected her sheet music and followed him into the booth, her fingers playing with the label on her water bottle. “So … how many people do you make cry on a daily basis?”

“Maybe two or three.” His shoulders shook with quiet chuckles as he lowered the microphone to her height. “I’m not that bad, I promise. I just know good work when I hear it. We get a lot of horrible stuff that comes through here.”

“Well, here’s hoping I don’t fall in that category.” With a smile, she pulled a stool over to the rigging and adjusted the height of the music stand. “Do you want me right up on it, or does it matter?”

“You want to be close to the filter, but you don’t have to eat it.” He checked the set up one last time before moving to the door. “You’ll be able to hear me in the headphones, but I won’t bother you while the track is going unless I think we need to stop. Okay?”

“Perfect. Thanks.” She took a deep, cleansing breath, then a drink of water as he took his place behind the board. The headphones settled into place just in time for her to hear his voice.

“You ready?”

“As ready as I’m ever going to be.”

“Relax. It’s okay if you don’t get it with the first take. We’ve got plenty of time.” He pushed a few buttons. “Just give me a thumbs up if the volume is okay.”

When the music began, she nodded and signaled to him, then edged forward in anticipation of the intro for the first verse.

On the other side of the glass, Brian made sure he was muted so he wouldn’t disturb her with his reactions, then leaned back in his chair and closed his eyes as the music swelled around him. “Please, God … don’t let her be another Tiffany.”

By the first chorus, he was leaning forward, completely disregarding any of the adjustments he would’ve normally been making as he watched her. She had her eyes closed, not even needing the sheet music as she used a shockingly clear tone to tell her story over one of the most impressive demo arrangements he’d ever heard. Not only was the lyrical content stellar, but the track left plenty open for interpretation, and he knew that the voice would be selling songs to chart-topping artists before anybody knew what was happening.

Too soon, it was over and he was closing out the session, glancing up only when he heard her clear her throat and take a drink.

“Should we do it again? I thought it went well, but you’re the expert here.”

“Uh, I think we’re good. That was fantastic.” He laughed at her doubtful expression and shook his head. “Really, you got that in the first take. It couldn’t have been better. You didn’t happen to bring the full arrangement, did you? I’d love to hear how you fleshed it out.”

“I didn’t even think of it. I’ll make sure to bring both next time.”

“That’d be great. Summers likes to hear finished products as well as the demo version. Makes it easier for her to help with putting together your Senior project.” Putting a blank disc in the burner, he set to finalizing the demo. “I’m going to make individual discs for your portfolio submissions, but I’ll also make you a compilation so you have something to keep at home.”

“Great.” She looked down as she tightened the lid back on her bottle. “Thank you.”

“Tell me something … who played for your arrangement?”

“I did.”

“Yeah, right.” His expression was unconvinced as she arched a brow at him. “Seriously?”

“Yep. All of my arrangements are totally me, with my computer providing any orchestral strings or percussion I need. I started playing piano when I was eight and picked up the acoustic guitar when I was thirteen.” Her head tilted as her fingers played with the edges of her sheet music. “I bought an electric as a graduation present for myself. I’m passable, but I don’t think it shows up on any of these.”

There was that word again. For a second, he wondered what her definition of passable might be. “Okay, then one more thing: who in their right mind would break that heart of yours?”

“What? Nobody.” She looked up, confused, then laughed. “Oh, right. Wuthering Heights.”

“The book?”

“Yeah. We had to read it for my Lit class this past summer. Hated the book, loved the inspiration.”

“Well, there you have it.” He reached over when the disc finished, labeled it and slid it into a case before flipping through her collection. “You good to go for Commitment?”

“Whatever you say. Bring it on.” She turned to the right pages, then settled on the stool. “Anytime you’re ready.”

With a wave, he loaded the track, prepped the board and set the disc, sitting back once again to watch her work. The country sound surrounding him was a surprise, but she tackled it like a pro, even getting a slight southern edge to some of the lyrics.

Four songs later, he was reaching for the cordless unit by the desk, quickly dialing the number for an office a few buildings over. “Alex? You’ve got to hear this.” He held the phone out so she could hear what was reverberating around the room.

Sorry I never told you all I wanted to say
And now it’s too late to hold you
’Cuz you’ve flown away, so far away

Never had I imagined living without your smile
Feeling, knowing you hear me
It keeps me alive, alive

And I know you’re shining down on me from heaven
Like so many friends we’ve lost along the way
And I know eventually we’ll be together
One sweet day


“Brian? Is that Jen in your studio?”

“Who else would it be?” Spinning the chair around, he checked to make sure the girl behind the glass was doing all right. “Where did you find her?”

“Music Comp I. Bachelor’s track.”

“You’re kidding. She’s a freshman?”

“Basically. She was taking care of core credits at a community college before she came here, but only the foreign language met transfer requirements.” Silence carried over the line, and he could picture Alex reclining in her desk chair, listening. “She’s even better than I’d hoped. Isn’t she astounding?”

“Uh, yeah. I’d say so. Her lyrical content is killer and her demo arrangements are the best I’ve ever heard.” Leaning back, he ran a hand through his hair. “We’re going to finish eight demos today. Eight. And we’ve only been here a little over an hour. She’s incredible.”

“What do you suggest?”

“Get Mac on the phone. Like, today.” He gave Jen a smile and a nod as the track ended, then started closing it out. “If you’re looking to make a splash, I’d place my bets on her.” Twisting back around, he picked up the packet that had his ‘name’ on it. “Student or not, this girl is gonna be huge and she’ll need someone to mind the business for her. Mac’s involved, honest and fair. He’s your guy.”

“That’s what I was thinking.” She gave a satisfied sigh. “Send her to my office when you’re finished. I’ll give him a call and set up a meeting to get the business squared away.” The smile in her voice was genuine. “And I can’t wait to hear what else you two accomplished today.”

“Will do.” He glanced back toward Jen, grinning as she did a happy little jig when she thought he wasn’t looking. “Really, Alex … you’ve got something special here. Take care of her.”

*********************

The Jeep was in the drive when she pulled in that evening, a few cars she didn’t recognize parked next to it, and her brow furrowed as she wondered if she should’ve been expecting the guys to be there. She couldn’t remember any changes to their schedule, and she shrugged as she parked.

“Josh must’ve needed a break from the Funky Bunch.” Her gaze landed on Maggie’s little car parked on the other side of the garage. “And she must have a study session tonight. Great.”

The garage door whirred as it came down to close, and she paused when she saw Maggie’s backpack lying next to the door leading into the house. “Lot of good that’s doing her.” Leaning back across the front seat, she grabbed her bag and the file of papers Alex had given her before sending her out for her afternoon class.

“I’ve contacted Peter MacArthur, a colleague of mine. He’ll be coming in to advise us on the best way to handle your portfolio. Make sure to read over the details of the contract carefully. Mac will take good care of you, but he won’t sign unless he’s sure you’re well-read on the small print. He’ll break it down for you when we meet next week, but please be prepared when you arrive. Put in more time with Brian over the next few days to finalize more demos and to record over any full arrangements you have ready. And bring any other composition work you have completed with you as well. Your portfolio needs to grow, and quickly.”

Shaking her head, she bent down to pick up Maggie’s bag, then pushed her way into the house. Some sporting event was playing on the TV, the cheers of the crowd echoing down the hallway as she hung her bag on its hook and reached in for the disc Brian had sent with her. Tucking it between her fingers with a smile, she flipped open the folder and began reading the first page as she walked to the foot of the stairs, not even looking up as she set Maggie’s pack on the bottom step.

“Hey, Mags, you left your bag in the garage!” She had to yell to be heard over the television, then her stomach clenched in hunger when her senses clued in to the delicious smell around her. “And whatever you had delivered smells awesome!”

Still engrossed in the contract, she was halfway to her office when a hand gripped her arm, giving her a tug. She jumped and screamed, the disc falling to the floor and skittering underneath one of the couches, papers scattering as the file flew from her hand when she whipped around and swung her fist upward, landing a solid right hook to her attacker’s face.

Ow!

She’d settled into a boxing stance, terror spiking through her veins, when she looked down to see Joey sprawled at her feet, hands covering his face and writhing in pain. “Joey?” Staring at him, she took deep breaths, calming down enough to realize what she’d just done. “Joey!” Horrified, she dropped to her knees next to him, pulling his hands away from his face to inspect the damage and grimacing at the blood coming from his split lip. “I’m sorry! Are you okay?”

“My God, Jenny … I think you broke my jaw.” He mumbled, but it was swallowed up by the blaring of the TV and the laughter shrieking from the kitchen.

“Seriously, guys?” She glared in the general direction of the peanut gallery, then focused back on Joey. “Somebody wet a dish towel and get some ice.” Cheers rang out again and she growled. “And turn off the damn TV!” The room suddenly went quiet and she ignored the pain in her hand to let her fingers press gently against his cheek and jaw, already bright red and swelling from the force of her punch. “I’m so sorry, Joe Bear. I didn’t mean it, I swear.”

“Yeah, sure.” He winced when the words worked over his injured lip, sending blood flowing more freely. “You’ve got some pent-up rage there, Hot Stuff.”

“I’ve been taking self-defense classes since my senior year. The boxing is my favorite part.” A bundled, wet towel appeared in front of her and she didn’t even look up as she took it, immediately pressing the blue fabric against his face and using the corner to dab at his lip. “I don’t think anything’s broken. Are your teeth okay?”

“I think so.” A sigh escaped as the coolness of the ice pack settled against his cheek.

“Can you get up? You didn’t hit your head, did you?” He shook his head as she helped him sit up. “Jeez, Joe. You shouldn’t sneak up on people like that.”

“Well, I didn’t know you were a UFC fighter in another life, or I would’ve been more careful.”

“Here, take this.” She gestured for him take over holding the ice pack to his face, her brow furrowing when she saw the red stains all over his shirt. “That’s not blood, is it? I didn’t think a split lip could do all that.”

“No, that’s my attempt at tomato sauce.” His shoulder shrugged toward the kitchen. “Right, Mom?”

“That’s right.” A woman with Joey’s build and a sparkle of humor in her eyes had her arms crossed over her chest, obviously fighting back laughter. “A definite attempt.”

“Oh, hey, Mrs. Fatone.” Jen blinked, wondering why Joey’s mother was standing in her kitchen before looking back to him. “I may joke about killing him sometimes, but I promise I wouldn’t actually do it. For some strange reason, I like having him around.”

“It’s Phyllis, Jen.” She had turned back to stir something in a pot on the stove and point Maggie in the direction of the oven, her smile lifting her tone. “And trust me, we’ve all threatened his life at least once or twice.” Joey snorted, shaking his head again. “He’s just too darn loveable to stay angry with, isn’t he?”

“Something like that, sure.” JC knelt beside her and took her hand, reaching out with another iced towel. “What’s that for?”

“You.” Only when he pressed the wet fabric to her knuckles did she hiss against the pain. “You didn’t break it, did you?”

“God, I hope not. That’d put a real kink in things.” She lifted the corner of the towel, wincing when she saw the red and broken skin across the top of her swollen hand. “Maybe it’s just bruised.” Suddenly realizing that there were people moving through the living room, she looked around quickly. “Hey, be careful of the paperwork, please. I doubt they’d be impressed if I showed up with shoe prints all over it.”

“We’ve got you covered, Jenny.” Chris had bent down to pick up a few of the scattered sheets and began reading the page in front of him. “What’s this?”

“A contract.” She leaned against JC as he helped her stand, then raised her wrapped hand closer to her chest as she looked around for the disc she’d been carrying. “Anybody see a CD lying anywhere?”

“It went sliding this way.” Justin was on his stomach, fishing underneath first one couch, then the other, until he found the case. “Got it.”

“Great.” A relieved sigh lifted her shoulders as she watched Lance give Joey a hand up. “I don’t know if Brian deletes sessions after he’s done. That may be my only copy.” She shot a quick look over to Maggie, who was helping locate the rest of the scattered pages. “Speaking of … you’re never going to guess who Brian is, Mags.”

“No?” The redhead picked up the folder and began sliding pages inside. “Who is he?”

Guy from Smoothie Shop.”

Maggie, Chris and JC all turned to stare at her.

“You’re kidding.” Maggie laughed. “What’re the chances of that?”

“I know, right?”

“Wait.” Lance glanced between the four of them, eyes widened in confusion. “What guy from a smoothie shop?”

“Some dude with a broken heart busted up into Jenny’s booth in a smoothie shop and she let him vent. Turns out he’s the recording engineer her advisor wanted her to use.” Chris chuckled under his breath, then raised his head with a bright smile. “Best part is, she wrote a song about him and took it with her for a demo session today. I’d love to hear how that went over.”

“Actually, it went really well. He had me change the gender of the lyrics, but he really didn’t mind at all.” She put a little pressure on her hand, wincing when the massage sent pain through her wrist. “Probably a good thing, since we’ll be working together for at least this term. I’m not sure when he’s supposed to graduate … or if he’s even really a student. He mentioned having his own studio already.” A brow raised questioningly as she glanced back at Maggie. “Are student directors actually students?”

“They can be, I guess.”

“Anyway, he was great.” Jen shook her head suddenly, looking at the group of people around her. “Wait. Why are you guys even here? Not that I mind at all, but did your schedule change?”

“They’re here having a lesson in spicy chicken rigatoni with tomato sauce, salad and homemade garlic bread.” Phyllis spoke up from the kitchen. “Which wasn’t necessarily a success, but it’s ready, if you all are.”

“You’re joking.” A nudge from JC sent her walking into the kitchen, looking around Joey’s mother’s arm to get a whiff of the delicious dishes spread across the counter. “It looks wonderful to me.” She leaned closer and lowered her voice. “Did it end up being all you?”

“Pretty much.” The older woman laughed. “Bless their hearts, they were willing, but totally unskilled. Okay, boys … to the table it goes.” As they carried the platters and bowls to the table, Phyllis wrapped an arm around Jen’s waist. “It’s the thought that counts, though. They’re a bunch of sweethearts.”

“I won’t argue, but what brought this on?”

“It appears they decided you needed a break. Hearing the way Joe talks about you, I’d have to say that I agree.” She led Jen out of the kitchen and toward the table, where JC pulled out a chair for each of them. “You’ve been spoiling them since you got here. Not only do they come here to relax, they spend half their time rehearsing in your space, then you feed the entire crew after you’ve been at school and work all day.”

“It’s not all that much …”

“Honey, I raised that one and putting up with him – and that stomach of his – on a regular basis is enough.” Phyllis met Joey’s slightly offended expression, made more wounded by the ice pack he was still pressing to his face. “No offense, son, but you’re just like your daddy. You and your brother both came by it honest.” She laughed when he shrugged sheepishly, then paused to scoop some salad into a bowl for Jen. “Anyway, that’s just one. You’ve got five of these man-children that you handle nearly daily. That qualifies you for sainthood in my book.”

“And you’ve got a housemate who requires constant attention, too.” Maggie chimed in from across the table. “You rescued me from campus housing hell and put me in a spot most underclassmen would kill for. You went to a job interview and walked away with work for both of us. And how many times have you helped me with my classes? You listened to me memorizing monologues all summer and helped me study for that God-awful algebra final – you knew that I was already a year behind because of Mom being sick and made sure I didn’t get even further off schedule by having to retake that class. Not to mention your work with the kids at the center, putting together pieces for Sam and Jake’s choreography projects and then working on your own stuff, too.” Her features lit with a smile. “I’m glad I was able to make a good friend, but you’re all kinds of extra, girl.”

“You don’t get it. I love having a full house.” Brown eyes moved across the people around her table. “I’m an only child of only children. No uncles, aunts, or cousins. My parents were both older and couldn’t have more kids. Dad kept getting different contracting assignments and we moved around a lot those first few years. I hated being alone so much and I really didn’t have anybody until Josh found me. When his family adopted mine, I thought it was the best thing ever, because I’d always wanted a bunch of brothers and sisters and there he was with not just Heather and Tyler, but this whole crew of cousins that were always coming around.” She noticed distractedly when JC dipped a healthy portion of pasta onto her plate. “I knew things would be different when I came down for school, but I figured he’d be here, so it’d be all right. And it is. You guys are family. I don’t mean to be so motherish, but I’d rather surround myself with good people and spoil them than to ever think about being alone again.” A laugh escaped when he added bread on top of the pasta, and she turned to him. “Really? Are you going to feed me, too?”

“Well, somebody has to, Boof. You just tried to break yourself on Joey’s face, remember?” He gestured toward the hand still cradled against her chest and arched a brow. “Can you even hold a fork? Because I know you’re a total disaster doing anything left-handed.”

“Good point.” Heaving an exasperated sigh, she grinned, then reached for the bread. “So, the fork’s out, but I can still handle this on my own.” Taking a bite, she closed her eyes at the delicious flavors that flooded her mouth. “Wow, that’s good. I may need to take lessons from you, Mrs. … Phyllis.” She quickly corrected herself when a brief glance cut toward her. “I’m okay with biscuits and pizza dough, and I can hold my own with cakes and stuff, but I’ve never really mastered a good loaf bread or rolls.”

“Any time, honey. You just yell and we’ll do it.” Phyllis sent a smile her way. “Actually, we can trade secrets. Joe brought me one of your calzones and it was dynamite. I’m determined to figure out what you put in the crust and sauce.” With a quiet chuckle, Jen leaned over and whispered in her ear, then sat back with a playful wink. “You’re kidding! I never would have thought to try that.”

“Some things we learn by happy accident.” JC nudged her and she turned to find him holding out a loaded fork. “Josh … this is really kind of embarrassing.”

“You want embarrassing? I can totally make airplane noises.” He laughed at her glare, then nodded toward the offered bite. “Open up.” Rolling her eyes, she leaned forward and took the food. “Good girl.”

“Shut up.” She muttered around chewing, shaking her head at the laughter from around the table. “Mmm. That’s delicious, Phyllis. Thanks, guys.” Her eyes narrowed as she stared down at her injured hand. “I’m not sure how I’ll be able to follow through on house rule number one, though. We’ll figure it out.”

“Rule number one doesn’t apply tonight. We’ve got it.” Chris nodded as he finished off a piece of bread. “You’ve got a contract to look over, don’t you? What’s up with that?”

“Honestly, I’m not really sure.” Taking another offered bite, she thought about it. “After we finished in the lab, Brian sent me over to see Professor Summers. She didn’t take the time to listen to the demos from today, but she was telling me that she’s contacted a friend and we’re scheduled to meet with him next Wednesday. He’s supposed to be handling my portfolio and taking care of the legal stuff, I think. I didn’t get that far into the paperwork.”

“Really? Already?” JC glanced over as he speared a bite of salad for her. “Does that happen for everybody?”

“I have no idea. Considering the reactions I’ve gotten from her and Brian, I’m gathering that this isn’t a normal situation for any of us.”

“How many of your songs did you get through today?” Maggie took a drink from her glass. “I’m kind of excited to hear how mine turned out.”

“All of them.” Jen nodded toward the disc Justin had laid next to the sound system. “The entire session is on that CD I brought in. I’m supposed to go back in the morning to get others on disc for submission, and they want to hear my full arrangements along with my demo tracking.” She glanced down at her hand, biting her lip. “I don’t have classes at all tomorrow, so if the swelling doesn’t go down with ice, I’ll head over to the Health Clinic early and make it to the labs by ten. Brian’s giving me three hours and said to bring as many pieces as I can carry.” Her gaze bounced around the table. “He didn’t seem to believe me when I said I’ve got plenty to choose from. Do I even need to worry about being picky at this point?”

“I wouldn’t think so.” Chris had risen from the table, heading for the living room and loading the CD. “The worst they can do is tell you one or two don’t make the cut. Just take anything you feel strongly about.”

Foolish Games began to fill the room, JC continuing to alternate between clearing both of their plates as the others listened intently.

“I didn’t know you were doing the same thing as the boys, honey.” Phyllis looked at her and nodded in approval. “Very nice.”

“Oh, I’m not.” Swallowing the last bite, Jen shook her head. “I’m aiming to be the one writing the songs, not performing them. Being in front of people is definitely not for me.”

“Well, that’s a shame. You have a beautiful voice, dear.”

“Exactly. And we need to work on that stage fright of yours.” Maggie tilted her head as the music changed. “Country? Really?” She laughed when the lyrics began and shook her head. “You made mine a country song? That’s fantastic!”

“When did you learn how to add twang?” JC arched a brow at her. “Do you even listen to country?”

“Not really, but she was talking and I was taking notes, and by the time the lyrics were done, it just seemed like a country song.” Jen shrugged as the chorus began. “I think it works.”

Commitment
Someone who’ll go the distance
I need somebody with staying power
Who’ll make me go weak in the knees
Commitment
And everything that goes with it
I need honor and love in my life from somebody
Who’s playin’ for keeps


“It more than works. You pretty much nailed it.” Lance nodded, grinning as he sat back in his seat and crossed his arms. “And don’t listen to Jace about the twang. It really sounds natural, and that’ll be a selling point.”

“Well, if it’s got the Mississippi stamp of approval, then it’s a winner.” She winked at him and laughed, then grimaced when pain shot through her hand. “I think it’s time for more ice. How’re you doing over there, Joe Bear?”

“It’s not exactly better, but I don’t think it’s any worse.” He lowered the towel and worked his jaw a bit. “I’ll be all right. I’ve survived bigger fights than that.”

“Whatever you say.” Pushing back her chair, she stood and moved toward the kitchen. “I’m gonna be the wimp who needs more chilling.”

She draped the soaked towel over the rack beside the sink, then turned to find that JC had already found a Ziplock bag and was dropping some cubes in it. “Do you have an Ace bandage? It’ll do better to hold it in place and apply pressure.”

“I don’t know.” She took the bag and sighed as the cold began spreading back through her hand. “There might be one in the cabinet beside the fridge. It looked like a jock had stocked it when I moved in, but I never went through it.”

He dug around the shelves for a minute and came out with a roll of athlete’s tape. “It’s not a bandage, but it should do. Come here.” With a shake of her head, she obediently stepped over to him, holding out her hand. His brow furrowed as his fingers gingerly touched the swollen skin to secure the tape and begin wrapping. “Are you sure you don’t want me to take you to the ER? That looks nasty.”

“I think it’ll be okay.” She wiggled her fingers slowly. “If it was broken, I don’t think I’d be able to move it that much.” A laugh escaped. “Besides, what would I tell them? I think I broke my hand punching a guy?”

“Always have to be the tough one, don’t you?” He finished wrapping and tore the tape, tossing the roll onto the counter.

“Yep.” A smile formed quickly as she leaned against him for half of a hug. “Thanks, Josh.”

“No problem.” His glance moved over to Joey, taking in the painful state of his face, and a different scenario formed in his imagination, prompting a grin as he pulled her closer to him, leaning down to whisper in her ear. “I can just imagine Luke Dingess on the receiving end of those fists of fury.” She laughed with him. “For this second, I don’t hate him quite as much.”

By the time the recording of that day’s session had ended, the table and kitchen had been cleared and the guys had adjourned to the basketball court, giving Phyllis hugs of thanks and calls of goodbye as she headed the opposite direction and out the front door, leaving Maggie and Jen to relax in front of the TV.

Maggie leaned over to look at the group in the back yard, then nudged Jen’s foot with her own. “Girl, do you have any idea how lucky you are?”

“Luckier than I deserve, I’m sure.” She glanced up from flipping through her journal, arching an eyebrow. “Why?”

“You’ve got that guy wrapped around your little finger and you don’t even realize it.” A dreamy sigh carried through the room. “I’d give anything to have somebody look at me the way he looks at you.”

“Josh doesn’t look at me any differently than he does anybody else.”

“Oh, shut up. You walk in the room and he lights up.” Maggie bit back a laugh. “You do the same thing. Get the two of you together and it’s basically blinding.”

“Mags …” Jen rolled her eyes and snapped her journal closed. “We’re best friends. That’s it.”

“It sure doesn’t look that way.”

“Look, I know Josh better than anyone on this planet. If he wanted more, he’d say so. He hasn’t, so he doesn’t.”

“Simple as that, huh?”

“Absolutely. Simple as that.”

“So he hasn’t said anything.” Maggie shrugged. “What about you? Don’t you want more?”

“It doesn’t matter what I want.” Jen turned her gaze down to where the fingers of her left hand were playing with the edges of her ‘bandage’. “It never has, and it never will.”

“That definitely wasn’t a no.” The redhead leaned closer. “Jen … do you have feelings for him?”

“I think I’ve been falling for him since the sixth grade, when I got myself grounded so he could go to the prom with that Patterson brat.” She let out a quiet laugh and shook her head. “He and I both know the type of girl he’s going to end up with, and it’s definitely not me. The only thing she and I will have in common is hair color. He tends to lean toward brunette for his girlfriends.”

“How can you say that? You’re perfect for each other.”

“What I say right now goes nowhere else, understand?” Her gaze locked on her friend, serious and unflinching. “You’ve got to swear. Nobody else knows about this, not even my mother. I’ll know if it gets around.”

“I swear. It stays right here.”

“Well, you’ve seen the pictures, so you know he took me to my senior prom.” She waited for Maggie’s nod. “When he was dropping me off after the dance, he kissed me goodnight and totally rocked my world – we’re talking electric here, Mags – and I was confused at first, positive that it was all in my head. A few days later, I’d actually gotten up the nerve to talk to him and see if maybe it wasn’t just me. You know how jittery I get when I’m nervous and this was twice as bad, so I decided to walk over to his house. All of the houses on our block have trees on the back property line, so there’s a little bit of a forest in the middle.”

“Well, we’ve gone back and forth so much, there’s a path connecting our houses that takes you right beside the windows of their dining room.” Her knees came up so that her arms could hug around them. “When I got there, the windows were open and he was on the phone with somebody. I don’t know who, but it doesn’t matter, because I’ll never forget what he said.” She swallowed hard. “‘My God, this can’t be happening. You’re joking, right? I kissed my best friend! Ugh, this is the worst thing that could happen.’” With a grimace, she blinked back tears. “I know without a doubt that Josh is the last person on earth who would ever intentionally hurt me. He didn’t know I was there, so he said exactly what he was thinking, and I got the message, loud and clear.”

“Oh, Jen. Did you still go in and talk to him?”

“How could I? I’d just heard him say that kissing me was the worst thing he could’ve done.” She shook her head. “The only reason he’d taken me to the dance in the first place was because my jerk of a boyfriend had dumped me weeks before and Mom called him when nobody else asked me to go. Yes, he’s the best friend I’ve ever had, but hindsight is definitely twenty-twenty, and I know a pity date when I’ve been on one. I’m pretty sure he even tried to tell me so, in a roundabout way.” Her teeth worked over her bottom lip. “The next day, he got on a plane back to Florida while I was at school, even though he was supposed to stay almost another week. He gave up days he could’ve spent with his family just to get away from me, Mags. And he didn’t even really say goodbye, just left a message on my answering machine that he had to go.” The tape on her hand caught the tear that escaped. “Two weeks later, he was dating some girl he’d met in the audience of the show. Andrea was exactly his type: tall, built, tan and photographer ready.”

“Have you ever actually felt yourself changing?” She didn’t wait for a response. “Something about me was different after that. I think … I think I lost some of my joy. I filled three journals that summer and I could tell that some of my spark was gone. I’ve never gotten it back, and I honestly don’t think he ever noticed. It was my birthday before I saw him again, and it took nearly that entire time to make myself feel normal around him again. Or at least as normal as you can be when you’re pining away for something you know you can’t have.” Watery brown eyes came up to meet concerned green. “More than half of the songs on my shelves are for him, whether they’re happy or heartbroken. And he has absolutely no clue, because telling him could ruin everything. So, yes … it’s safe to say that what I want has absolutely no bearing on what happens between us. If more is in the cards, it’ll have to come from him, because I don’t have it in me to be even one of the worst things in his life when he’s so many of the best things in mine.”

“My God, Jen. I had no idea.” That green gaze glanced out the back doors again, watching as JC passed the ball to Justin, who made a three-point shot as the court lights came on in the twilight. Something about Jen’s side of this story just didn’t fit. From what she knew of him, Maggie felt fairly sure in her assessment that JC found Jen to be one of the brightest spots in his world. It was obvious that he went out of his way to be near her, finding ways to touch her, giving her his undivided attention. She’d seen the special smile he reserved just for Jen, knew that sparkle in his eye when he looked at her was a hint at feelings he held close to his heart … but something had obviously gone very wrong somewhere down the road. Biting her lip, she turned back to her friend. “How do you do it? I know I couldn’t.”

“He’s the most important person in the world to me. As needy as it sounds, I’m not me without him.” A small smile curved her lips. “We’ve always been clingy, he flirts with me all the time and I give it right back – no matter how crazy it makes me – so things won’t get awkward. Truth is, I love him and as pathetic as it makes me, I’ll take whatever part of him I can get, for as long as he’s willing. And when he finds the girl who’ll take my place, then I’ll do the best thing for him and let him go. I’ll step aside because I know I’ll be okay as long as she makes him happiest.” She laughed softly. “I guess Brian’s song was a bit of foreshadowing on my part, too, huh?”

“So, then … what? You just carry on like all is well?”

“Exactly. Because in some twisted way, it really is. He’s in my life right now and that’s all I’m going to hope for.” Jen stood from the couch, glancing toward the game outside as she headed to her office. “And since there’s nothing more I can do about him, I figure my efforts right now are probably best spent on being sure I’m not making a huge mistake in signing that contract.”

 

Chapter Eleven by Renee

“I hope you don’t mind that I asked Brian to be here. I’ve read this contract over until I feel like I can recite it. I understand what it says, and I can’t find anything that causes me concern, but I still feel a bit like a fish out of water.” Jen glanced around at the people in the room. “This is moving a little too fast for me to totally understand exactly what’s supposed to be happening right now.”

“What’s happening right now, my dear, is we’re finding out we may have a treasure that we don’t want to lose.” The tall, thin gentleman who had entered the room moments ago leaned forward in his seat. “I’ve listened to each of your demos and not only is it astounding that you’ve completed such a volume of songs at your age, but the number of potential hits you’ve already accumulated is beyond belief.”

“Mr. MacArthur …”

“Please, call me Mac.” His smile was warm and inviting. “Not only am I experienced in the legal side of this business, Jen, but I have a keen ear for what studios and artists are looking for. You already have a gold mine of a portfolio that I can’t wait to shop around. Plus, I’m eagerly anticipating what other material you have to add to it.” He reached down and opened the briefcase that lay beside his chair. “You’ve already got a collection of forty-five lyrical demos with arrangements and fifteen compositions. How many more would you estimate adding this year?”

“This year?” Her brows arched in surprise. “Sir, I’ve been collecting and fine-tuning lyrics and arrangements since I was thirteen. This isn’t even a fraction of what I have ready to demo. And new material is always coming.” Nervous fingers danced over the journal in her lap. “As long as you see me with one of these, I’m either playing with new ideas or finishing out old ones.” She glanced over to Alex. “I’ve already been working on the extended orchestral piece that will be required for Spring Junior Composition and I’m hoping to use it for my Conducting credit as well. If I submit it to you, will I still be able to present it for my classes?”

“Absolutely.” Alex nodded strongly. “Any work that you complete in a university capacity will be eligible for your portfolio to be considered at completion of your program. As long as Brian or one of his trainees acts as your engineer, then you’re clear.”

“And those pieces can be included in this as well?”

“Of course. One portfolio, two purposes.”

“You have to understand, I have no expectations at this point.” Jen bit her lip as she considered her words. “But if I have pieces that are successful, then how am I able to still submit them toward my degree?”

“Because you completed the demos within the parameters required by the university, they must be considered as part of your body of student work.” Mac steepled his fingers and leaned back in his chair. “With Alex as your advisor, you should have no problems whatsoever, but if the university gives you an issue, then that’s where I step in. The legal workings are my expertise. The relationships I have in the network of record labels and the professional connections I possess are simply a bonus that will be used to your advantage.” He sent her a smile. “In fact, I was so confident in the first batch of recordings Alex sent me that I went ahead and put out a few feelers, just to see what the reaction would be. There are three artists ready to sign for recording rights – one in particular needing to move immediately so they can include it on their next project – and at least five more with a serious interest in your work. We just need to get the contracts finalized so I can make good on my word.”

“Three? Already?” Brown eyes widened, darting over to Brian, who was biting his lips to hide his grin. “You don’t seem surprised.”

“Why should I be?” He leaned forward, his hand resting on her shoulder. “I knew you were special with the first verse you recorded. I’ll bet I can even guess which songs they want.”

“You know what? I’m not sure I want to know.” Jen turned her attention back to Mac. “That’s the catch for me. At this point, I want to focus on school. It’s great that this side of it seems to be working out, but if the only involvement I want for now is to simply build my portfolio and be kept up to speed on anything major that happens, are you willing to do all the other work?”

“I already am. In fact, that could be the permanent nature of our relationship, if you prefer.”

“And what’s in it for you? I understand that you’ll receive twenty-five percent of any earnings my portfolio generates, but isn’t that standard?”

“Actually, no.” Mac nodded in her direction. “In the case of most students, I would only withhold ten percent of earnings, with the potential of raising that percentage if a long-term contract was signed upon graduation. Your case is unique, as I anticipated you may wish to be kept apart from the business side of it all. The higher rate is to accommodate for the extra leg work you’ll require. Upon your graduation, you’ll have the option to continue our arrangement with an extended contract, or you may elect to seek representation elsewhere.”

“Okay.” She nodded. “That’s fair.”

“There may be instances, of course, where the artist or producer requests your presence – if they’re interested in not only the lyrics but the arrangement, they may want you there for the recording process to provide input. Should that occur, you’ll need to make an appearance, which could mean travel.” Clearing his throat, he continued. “And there’s not just potential for contracted artist interest. Film studios will also occasionally send out requests for demos, looking for music to fit their soundtracks. There may be times where I email you a synopsis of a movie in production, just to see if you can come up with something to submit for consideration. You won’t be required to respond to those, but I do encourage you to give it serious thought. Film work can be quite profitable.”

“You’ve thought of everything haven’t you?” A grin spread quickly, followed by a quiet laugh.

“That’s my job, Jen. Anticipate even what seems impossible.”

“I like that. And I think I like you, Mac.” She took a deep, cleansing breath as her anxiety melted away. “Where do I need to sign?”

----------------------------------------

September 1, 1995

“Okay, does that get it?”

“Yep, that’s the last one.” Brian took the disc from the burner and wrote the title in black Sharpie. “I really liked that, too, even if it’ll probably end up in a chick flick someday.” He laughed. “So, who’s the lucky guy that’s striking up the band and making the fireflies dance?”

“Right now? Nobody.” She grinned and took off the headphones, walking over to push through the door. “When I was in high school, though … have you ever gone on one of those dates that made you all dreamy and left you hoping for more?”

“Not lately, but yeah, I can remember that.”

“Well, I had one that was almost that kind of special. It kind of stuck with me, even if it didn’t go anywhere.” Sighing, she picked up her bag, reaching out to begin fitting in all the discs and arrangements she’d be delivering to Alex’s office. “Speaking of going, I think I’m gonna drop these off and start my weekend early. I’ve got my hours in at the center for this week, all my class work is already done and the only thing I’ve got going on between now and Tuesday is that ‘know your neighbors’ thing my neighborhood is sponsoring Saturday night.”

“Ah, yeah. All the university areas have something like that going on for the Labor Day weekend.” He reached around to cut the power to the board and equipment. “It’s really just an excuse for most of the guys to get together and drink.”

“That’s what I figured.” She shook her head. “I’ve invited some friends over and my housemate is bringing some of her drama friends. I can’t decide if I want to fire up the grill for burgers or just have some pizzas delivered.” Thinking over the mess likely to follow, she laughed. “Pizzas, definitely.” Her gaze jumped over to him as she zipped up her bag and slid it over her shoulder. “You should join us.”

“I’ve got a few housemates myself. Probably shouldn’t just leave them hanging.”

“Bring them with you. No alcohol, since the majority of us are underage and I’m not really that kind of partier, but the guys will probably be playing most of the time, anyway. You’d fit right in.”

“Playing?”

“Yep. Basketball, air hockey, pool, darts. I’ve even got a few game systems and a big screen TV.” And Maggie’s gonna love meeting you. Her teeth bit the inside of her lip, hiding her smile. “And plenty of food. A college guy’s paradise.”

“You’re sure you wouldn’t mind a few extra?” He arched a brow as he locked the door behind them. “Mark’s out of town for the long weekend, but Adam – you know, from downstairs – and Nick tend to be slightly excitable.”

“You haven’t met my bunch yet.” Another laugh escaped as they headed for the elevator. “Like I said, you’ll fit right in. The more, the merrier.”

“Well, thanks. Which neighborhood are you in?” She rattled off her address and he turned to look at her. “Really? That’s not even two blocks from my place. You’ve got the house that always has a bunch of cars in front and a court in the back, right?”

“That’s me. The rotating door for future pop stars and drama queens.” They stepped in when the elevator doors opened with a ding. “Home sweet home. It’s definitely never boring.” Glancing his way, she pressed the button for the main floor. “We’re getting started around seven, food delivered a little after.”

“I’ll be there for sure. You might want to plan on the others, but I’m not going to swear to them.”

“Perfect.” She sent a wave to Adam as they passed through the lobby and out into the bright sunshine. “See you then.”

*********************

Jen was taking a pan of hot bean dip out of the oven when the doorbell rang. “Can somebody get that?” As she put the pan on the table, she took a quick glance around to make sure someone was headed for the door, then turned back to the kitchen to collect the platter of boneless chicken wings she’d prepared that afternoon. “Thanks, Spazz. If it’s the pizza, I’ll be there in a minute.”

“Okay.” He jogged down the front hallway when the bell pealed again and pulled open the door to find three college-aged guys on the front porch. “Hey, can I help you?”

“Yeah, hi.” The tallest one sent him a grin. “I’m hoping I’ve got the right place. Jen invited us.”

“Oh, right. She said we may have a few more.” He stepped aside, motioning them by. “Come on in. We’ve already got a crowd, but there’s plenty of room.” As they made their way toward the main rooms, he called out. “Hey, Jenny! We’ve got a few more!”

“Be right there!”

“I’m Chris.” Noticing JC leaning against the wall, looking toward the staircase and shaking his head, Chris nodded his direction. “And this is JC.”

“Brian.” He gestured over his shoulder. “Adam and Nick. I guess you could say we’re classmates of Jen’s.”

“Ahh … Smoothie shop guy turned recording guy. We’ve heard a lot about you.” JC smiled and shook his hand. “Nice to meet you. The demos are sounding great.” He jerked a thumb toward the teenager studying the banister at the top of the stairs. “That’s Justin. For the next few minutes, anyway. If she lets him live.”

“Whoa. Wicked Strat, guys.” Nick had moved into Jen’s practice area, his fingers touching the polished instrument reverently. “Which one of you plays?”

“That would be Jen.” Blue eyes widened as JC watched Justin throw a leg over the banister, preparing to slide down. “The kid’s about to die.”

“She’s got an electric?” One brow arched skeptically as Nick shook his head. “So, it’s just for decoration, then. Right?”

Chris coughed back a laugh. “Man, don’t let her hear you say that.”

“Justin Timberlake, if you fall off that banister and break my piano, there won’t be enough of you left for your mother to identify. Get. Down. Now.” She stepped around the corner, glaring at Justin as he grinned sheepishly and came back down the staircase on foot. Once he was out of sight, she sighed and turned to the group who had just arrived with a smile. “Sorry. Welcome to the jungle. Hi, Brian, Adam.” Her gaze skipped over to where her guitars were being admired. “And we haven’t met. Nick, right?”

“Yeah. Nice to meet you, Jen.” He smiled, gesturing toward her instruments. “Cool set up.”

“Thanks.” She sent a glance in Chris’ direction. “Don’t let me hear who say what?”

“Well, Nick was just wondering about your Strat.” Adam spoke up, ignoring the warning look Brian was giving him and sending an evil grin toward his other housemate. “He seems to think it’s an excellent decoration choice.”

“Decoration, huh?” Her tone was neutral as she moved over next to JC, meeting his amused expression with a ghost of a smile. “She is pretty, isn’t she?”

“Definitely.”

“Hey, what’s going on?” Joey walked up to stand beside Chris, watching as Jen chatted casually with Nick, moving around him so that he had to step back between JC and Brian in order to see her.

“Challenge accepted.” Chris laughed under his breath. “Our little Jenny is about to show out to the new guy.”

Lifting the Strat from its stand, her lips curved slightly as she made sure the strap was adjusted correctly before sliding it over her neck and leaning down to plug in to the amplifier at her feet, keeping the volume on the lower side of blaring. “You know, Nick, there’s a reason most guitars are referred to in a feminine tense.” She slid her finger guards in place and selected a pick from the collection laying on the piano, strumming a quick warm up chord. “They react just like women. If you treat her well, you might get to first base … maybe Smoke on the Water.” A few bars of the riff flowed from the amp as her hands cradled the instrument. “Or Money for Nothing might be more your speed.”

As the melody changed, Maggie came over to join the crowd, grinning when she saw her friend giving a determined but friendly smile to a group of guys as she worked skillfully over the strings. “Awesome. You school ’em, Jen.”

“That’s nice and all, but most guys like to make it to second base, at least. Put in a little extra effort and you might get Walk This Way.” She switched songs effortlessly, not even glancing down to adjust as she nodded her head, her body grooving to the rhythm. “Third base? Sweet Child O’ Mine.”

“Would you look at that?” Chris nudged Maggie with his elbow, pointing out the slightly dazed expression on Nick’s face as he watched her tackle the difficult riff. “Dude just fell in love.”

“Whatever good that’ll do him.” The redhead nodded toward a grinning JC, who was obviously enjoying the little demonstration. “Poor guy doesn’t stand a chance.”

“Home base … now that takes work. Personally, I kind of missed the draw to the whole hairband, glam rock thing. But there were still a few gems.” Her fingers changed position, picking out the familiar lead in. “It may not be the most impressive of riffs, but the Top Gun Anthem is everything a girl wants – steady, warm, slow and building to the excitement toward the end.” She let the guitar scream through the promised crescendo, then let the piece end and moved to lift the strap back over her neck.

As she turned off the amp, the doorbell rang again and she straightened with a smile, reaching into her pocket for the cash for the pizza delivery and patting Nick’s shoulder as she walked by. “But if you really want to just let her sit there and be decoration, then all the power to you.” Turning quickly, she motioned toward Maggie. “Maggie, this is Brian. Brian, Maggie.” With a quick wink in her direction, Jen gestured toward the crowd in the living room. “Why don’t you introduce him, Adam and Nick around? Maybe get a drink. Pizza in a few minutes.” Her gaze landed on JC. “Care to give me a hand? I’m sure I ordered too much.”

“Uh huh.” He laughed as he followed her down the hallway. “That wasn’t obvious at all.”

“What?” Her expression was innocent as she opened the door and nodded at the delivery girl. “Thanks. Keep the change.”

Taking four of the boxes, he turned to hold the door for her to go ahead of him. “Maggie and Brian.”

“Oh, just you wait.” She grinned over her shoulder, a twinkle lighting her eyes. “They’re perfect for each other. Give them some time and I’ll be two for two.”

“Really? Matt finally called Amber?”

“More than once, apparently. Judging by the dreamy look she’s had this week and the hug she gave me as I was leaving Thursday, I’d say she’s kind of excited about their date tonight.” Setting a stack of boxes on the table next to the dishes she’d just put out, she turned in the direction of Maggie’s laughter, smiling when she saw her sitting on one of the couches with Brian. “I don’t think it’ll take so long with these two.”

“I always knew you were a real softie, but you’re leveling up, aren’t you?” He shook his head with a grin, putting an arm around her shoulders and pulling her close to his side.

“I just want everybody to be happy.” Looking up, her eyes met his as she let herself lean into him. “Is there something wrong with that?”

“Not at all, Boof.” He dropped a kiss on the top of her head, then turned his attention to the couple on the couch, his brow creasing slightly as he cleared his throat and tightened his arm around her. “But what about you? Don’t you want somebody, too?”

“Well, yeah. Of course I do.” She could feel her heart sink a little bit as her gaze moved over his profile. “I figure I’ll know it when I find him.” And if I can’t have him, then I’ll just have to take what I can get.


----------------------------------------

October 3, 1995

The bell above the door jingled as JC pushed it open, his eyes immediately sweeping over the crowded restaurant. College students filled the booths and larger tables, textbooks and laptop computers scattered across most of the tabletops. The aroma of burgers, fries and caffeine-laden drinks filled the air, encouraging his stomach to growl with hunger.

It took a minute, but his gaze finally found familiar brown hair, falling forward to hide her face as she leaned over the notebook spread open next to a stack of books on the vinyl table, her hand moving quickly, her pencil making short strokes as she marked against the paper. A waitress stopped by the booth and he could feel a little skip in his chest when Jen grinned brightly up at her. Two drinks were set on the table, the girls making small talk and laughing as the waitress made a few notes on her order pad, then headed back toward the kitchen, Jen turning her attention back to her work.

He shook his head with a smile, then pushed through the maze of bodies and chairs to drop down into the seat across from her. “Hey, Boof.”

“Hey.” Without even glancing up, she passed a drink over to him. “How did rehearsals go? You guys got an early start this morning.”

“We’ve got three new numbers we’re working on. Between yesterday and this morning, I can barely move.” There was a pause as he took a sip of soda. “But I think we’re finally getting it down. Even Lance.”

“Good for him.” She smiled, tearing her attention from the page to finally focus on him. “He just needs to loosen up a little bit. Poor kid’s wound so tight all the time ...” The sentence died away, brown eyes darkening thoughtfully for just a second before a quiet laugh escaped. “So, things are good?”

“Better than good. Lou got us a booking at Pleasure Island toward the end of this month.”

“Really?” Her face brightened as she let the pencil fall to the table. “Your first real gig?”

“Something like that, yeah. We’ve got a showcase spot on the 22nd, so he’s really pushing us to have a solid set performance ready. And he mentioned bringing out a few potential managers to shop us to.”

“That’s awesome!” The exclamation brought a few stares their way, but she didn’t care. “Am I invited?”

“You’d better be there. Who else can keep us all in check?” He laughed, his stomach rumbling again. “I’m starving.”

“I’ve already ordered.” She checked her watch, then looked back to the book she’d been writing in. “They should have it out pretty soon. Cheeseburger and fries okay?”

“Sounds great.” His eyes began skimming around her hand, his brows lifting as he studied the chords scribbled across the staff paper. “What’s this?”

“Maggie’s in a quartet this term and she asked if I had anything they could use as a warm-up piece.”

“Really?”

“Yeah.” Her fingers combed through her hair. “I already had a few things that would work, so Brian suggested I work out the harmonies for female voices.”

“That’s cool.” Tilting his head, he looked more closely at her work. “How’s it coming?”

“I’m to the point where I’ll have to put it on hold until I can get to my piano.” White teeth worked over her lower lip. “It’ll go a lot faster when I can play it out so I can hear the parts and get them just how I want them.”

His eyebrow arched as he leaned back in his seat. “Yeah, and it probably doesn’t help that you’re a perfectionist, either.” A sheepish shrug lifted her shoulders, a smile pulling at her lips, and he laughed, stretching his arms above his head. “Maybe you could let us use something of yours. Scales and chord harmonies get boring after a while.”

“Sure. It’s not original, but I was playing with a cool acapella arrangement of Sailing the other day. I could add a few parts … you guys would sound awesome on it.” She started packing her books into her bag, clearing off a large portion of the table. “Or I just finished up the lead on Here and Now. Wouldn’t take much to add harmonies to it.”

“We’re game for anything you have for us, Boof.” He gestured toward her overstuffed bag. “What’s with all the books? Are you carrying extra?”

“Yeah.” Nodding, she picked up the pencil and began tapping the eraser against her notebook. “I’ve decided to try testing out of my General Ed courses.”

“Really? Why?”

“I thought more of what I took back home would transfer, but the course requirements didn’t match, so I can’t count those for credit.” A sigh escaped. “With the exception of my Spanish credits and introductory music classes, I’m really starting over as a Freshman. I lucked out this past summer by getting to take the three classes they offered, because core credit courses aren’t normally offered during the summer term. They don’t always offer elective courses that will count for me, either, but if I’m able to enroll in two or three classes every summer, I’d finally graduate with the spring class of 2000.” She shook her head, dropping the pencil. “I don’t want to wait that long and I’d really like to have my summers mostly free. If I can test out, it’ll really lighten up my course load per semester. Even with the extra lab time required for my degree, I’d be able to arrange my schedule so I have more free time during the week.” Her gaze met his. “I’ve talked it over with Professor Summers, and she thinks that if I test out and take a self-study elective each summer, I’ll only have to enroll in one extra term to catch the last two required courses and complete my Senior project. I’ll finish up with Maggie in winter of 1998.”

“You’d earn your degree in three years?” He studied her carefully. “That sounds intense, Jenny. Are you sure you’re up for that? When would you be testing?”

“The fall test is in six weeks and I can still sign up for it. It’s not a lot of time to prepare, but it’ll be next April before they test again. Considering how much easier it would make things, I think it’s worth it to see if I can pass this time around.”

“Just as long as you don’t overdo it. Remember what you promised me?”

“I remember. I’ll be fine, I promise. I stopped by the Student Center and picked up the outline of the tested subjects and they all look like basic topics. I’m really only worried about the science part.” She grimaced. “You know I’ve always hated anything even remotely related to science. If I fail one section, I fail it all, and I’d hate for that one thing to keep me behind.”

“Ask around. Maggie, Brian or one of the others might can help you out.” He shook his head with a laugh. “Or maybe you should just write little songs about everything you aren’t sure of. You remember more lyrics than anybody I’ve ever met. It’s insane.” His attention jumped to a waiter slowly loading plates onto a tray and turning their direction. “I think our food is coming.”

“Good.” She flipped the notebook closed and shoved it and the pencil into her bag, taking a look toward the kitchen. “Oh, God.”

“What?”

Twisting around quickly, she paused for only a brief second before reaching across the table and grabbing his hand, lacing her fingers through his. “Play along, okay?”

Distracted by the feel of her hand in his, his gaze fixed to where she touched him. The realization of how perfectly their fingers fit together registered briefly before he tore his focus back to her and widened his eyes. “Uh …”

“Just pretend for five minutes that you can’t live without me.” Brown eyes begged him as the waiter quickly approached. “Please?”

No problem. He shook his head slightly, brows arching questioningly. “Okay, but what …” His voice trailed off as she pasted a bright smile on her face and turned toward the guy who’d just stopped by their table, trying desperately to balance the tray of food as he attempted to fix the little white hat that refused to stay put on his curly black hair.

“Hi, Jen.” The tray teetered precariously in his hand before he finally propped it against the tabletop, leaving the hat askew so he could distribute the plates.

“Hi, Mark.” She eyed him warily as he leaned over her. “How are you?”

“I’ve had better days.” His stare was fixed to their linked hands as the ceramic dishes clattered down, then green eyes turned to clash with blue. “This must be JC.”

“Yes. Josh, this is Mark Stillman.” Her head tilted as she made the introduction, not worrying that neither was paying her any attention. “Mark is Brian’s last housemate. We’re in the same guitar ensemble and Music History class this term.”

“I see.” When he felt her fingers squeeze his, he reached out with his free hand. “Nice to meet you, man.”

“I’ve heard a lot about you. I was sorry that I missed the party Labor Day weekend. The guys all seemed to have a blast.” The waiter had a firm grasp, exchanging a quick shake before shifting his gaze to Jen. “Your girlfriend here can do some wicked things with the strings. She’s taught me quite a bit.”

Girlfriend? Astonished, JC switched his attention to her, amusement settling in when he saw her posture stiffening, the faint blush creeping onto her cheeks betraying her discomfort. His teeth clamped down on the inside of his cheek, forcing himself not to break into a grin as his eyes widened inquisitively. “Really?”

“No, not really.” She shook her head in denial, expertly masking the pleading look that crossed over her features. “I’ve just shown him a few easy tricks. Nothing major.”

“Stop being modest.” Mark laughed, resting a hand on her shoulder, never looking away from her as he spoke in a strong Southern drawl toward JC. “The only playing I’ve ever done is country-western and she had me strumming out Spanish style in less than a month.”

A dark eyebrow arched slightly in consideration of the ‘please-pay-attention-to-me’ expression etched across Mark’s face as he stared at Jen, eyes darkened with what could only be longing. His heart twisted painfully, and JC forced his gaze back on her, relief rushing through him when he saw her discomfort with the attention from her classmate. Letting out a silent sigh, he squeezed her fingers with a soft smile. “You don’t have to sing her praises to me.” Without missing a beat, he lifted their hands, pressing his lips across her knuckles. “I know exactly how amazing she is.”

For a moment, she simply stared at him, an odd mixture of emotions playing in her eyes until the grip on her shoulder tightened in a quick squeeze.

“Well, I should probably get back to the kitchen. Lindsay was covered up for a little bit, but she’ll be by in a while to see if you guys need anything.” The hat was straightened one last time as he finally released her and tucked the tray under his arm. “I’ll see you in class tonight?”

“Yep. See you later.” Forcing another smile, she popped a fry into her mouth, chewing quickly to distract herself from both pairs of male eyes.

“Great.” His gaze leveled on JC once again before he turned away. “Hold tight to this one, man. She’s a keeper.”

As his footsteps faded away behind her, she groaned softly, covering her face with her free hand. “Is he gone?”

“He’s gone.”

“My God.” Her fingers released his, coming up to better hide the scarlet coloring flaring up from her neck. “That was …”

“So, how long have we been dating?” Laughter laced his voice as he picked up a fry of his own. “And is there anything else I should know about us?”

“A little over a year.” The tips of her ears turned an amazingly fiery color and she shook her head, still refusing to look at him. “I didn’t know he was working here, or I wouldn’t have … I’m sorry, Josh.”

“Hey, no problem. Any particular reason why you’re using me?”

Her hands came away from her face, fingers fidgeting as she took a quick look back toward the kitchen. “He wouldn’t stop badgering me to go out with him.”

“Well, what’s wrong with that?” He glanced down, picking up his burger before focusing back on her, forcing a neutral tone. “He seems like a nice guy. He’s in some of your classes and he obviously likes you.”

“Yeah, he does. To the point of irritation.” With a deep sigh, she shook her head as she played with the saltshaker. “He’s okay in small doses, but there’s something about him that hits me the wrong way. He’s not …” You. She barely kept the word from escaping. “I’m just not feeling it.” Her shoulders shrugged. “But Brian’s already warned me that if I do any work with him over the summer, Mark is one of his studio guys. I’m not going to be able to avoid him, so I really didn’t want to insult him … and I was too nice to tell him that I don’t want to be more than friends.”

“So you lied to him instead?”

“Yeah. Adam and Nick already thought we were together, so I didn’t correct them, but Brian knows the truth. He’s been sworn to secrecy.” Tearing her eyes away from the thick glass between her fingers, she watched him chew slowly. “I was going to keep it up until he found somebody else, then we were going to break up.”

“Is that so?” His eyebrow arched again, teasingly this time. “And whose fault would that have been?”

“Like I’d ever have it in me to walk away from you.” Her tone lifted, hiding laughter. “A tall, blonde and gorgeous Lit major from FSU was going to steal you away, leaving me devastated but strong enough to move on with life.”

He was quiet, his gaze trailing over her slowly as she began to eat, her features bright with humor. “You know me better than that, Boof. Blondes don’t do it for me. Brunettes …” He reached across the table until he could twirl a lock of her dark hair around his fingers. “Brunettes hit me where it hurts. And do you really think you’re the only one who wouldn’t be able to walk away?”

The breath caught in her chest and she had to swallow hard to get the bite to go down as her eyes met his. For a moment, he only smiled softly and played with her hair, then a playful wink was sent her way and he turned back to his food.

You can’t have him, Jen. Closing her eyes, she inhaled deeply and gave a slight shake of her head. Lord, help me.

----------------------------------------

October 22, 1995

“Fifteen minutes!”

She joined them as they gathered at the side of the stage, checking equipment and bouncing in anticipation. “Okay, guys, I’m heading out front and getting out of the way. You’re gonna be fantastic.”

“That’s it?” Joey sent a surprised glance her direction. “I’m disappointed, Hot Stuff.”

“Disappointed?” Her brow creased in confusion. “In what?”

“You.” He grinned, gesturing her direction. “I expected more than just a ‘you’ll be great, see ya’. What kind of good luck charm are you, anyway?”

“Oh.” She rolled her eyes. “What more can I do, Joe Bear? Double-knot your shoelaces?”

“How about hugs?” Chris took his place at the foot of the stairs, smiling as he spread his arms open. “Yours always seem to have just a little bit of magic in them.”

“Magic. Right.” Laughing, she moved into his embrace, reaching her arms up and around his neck. “You don’t need magic, Spazz. They’re gonna love you no matter what.”

“Having you in our corner is a definite plus.” He kissed her cheek before pulling away. “You’re the perfect cheerleader.”

“Sure.” She stepped over to Joey, who was wiggling his eyebrows suggestively. “What now?”

“Cheerleader, huh?” He leaned down and wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her off her feet and against his chest. “Does that mean we get the skirt, pom-poms and everything?”

“Oh, shut up.” With a groan, she punched him playfully on the shoulder, then hugged him in return. “You have no idea what it would take to get me in a cheerleader skirt, Joe … and you never will.”

“But I can fantasize, can’t I?” Laughing, he set her back to her feet, his eyes crinkling with his smile. “A guy has to dream, Jenny.”

“You just keep right on doing that.” Shaking her head, she turned to look up at Justin. “All right, kiddo … your turn.” Holding her arms out to her sides, she closed her eyes and prepared to leave the ground again. “Hit me with it.”

“Wow.” He chuckled and surprised her by coming down to her level, bending at the waist until she could reach his neck. “You have no faith in me, Shorty.”

“It’s not that. I’ve just never been very good at flying.” Her fingers ruffled his hair before she hugged him tightly. “And you’re already trying to give the Jolly Green Giant a real run for his money. At least, in comparison to me.”

“You’re not really all that short.” His eyes widened when he straightened up, paying attention to how far off the ground she came. “Wow. Okay … how tall are you?”

“Four foot eleven. Haven’t grown an inch since the eighth grade. I prayed every night for a growth spurt during high school, but I guess I took after my dad’s side. None of them appear to be very tall in the photos I’ve seen.”

“Well, you have more than enough spunk to make up for it.” A grin lit his features. “Our very own Mighty Mouse.”

“Ha ha. Very funny.” She laughed, turning her head to speak softly. “Knock ’em dead, J.”

“You bet, Jenny.” He winked, then leaned down and released her, moving closer to where Chris and Joey were waiting to run up the stairs and allowing her to focus on a very shaky Lance.

“You’re nervous, but it’s going to be fine, I promise.” She gave him an encouraging smile before he could pull her to him almost desperately. “Just remember what Jake and Sam were teaching you.”

“But what if …” His deep voice was muffled by her hair.

“Hey, push comes to shove, just follow along and keep singing.” Her hand made comforting circles on his back. “Nobody out there knows what your routines are supposed to be, anyway.” Pulling back a little, she let her eyes meet his. “Have fun today, Lance. You’ve worked so hard these past few months for this. Don’t let fear keep you from giving your best performance. You’re so good at what you do. Now go show out to everybody. Okay?”

“Yeah.” He nodded and took a deep breath, determination erasing the terror he’d been trembling with as he moved away. “Thanks, Girlie.” A smile broke across his face before he laughed softly. “Your hugs really do have a little magic in them, don’t they?”

“For you? Absolutely.” She laughed, turning to face a grinning JC. “What?”

“You.” He kissed her forehead, then wrapped her up in his arms. “You’re incredible, you know.”

“I’m incredibly something, that’s for sure.” As her feet left the ground again, she took a steadying breath and hugged him tightly around the neck, hiding her face in his shoulder. “I’m so proud of you, Josh.”

“We haven’t done anything yet.” A chuckle escaped and he began swaying from side to side. “Tell me again when it’s over.”

“Five minutes!”

“Okay, I really should go find Lynn. She’s saving me a spot so I can get a good video.” She grinned as he lowered her to her feet. “I promised your mom I wouldn’t miss anything.” Going on her toes, she pressed her lips to his cheek. “Have fun. I’ll meet you back here after.”

“See you later.” Another quick squeeze and he let her go, watching as she grabbed her camcorder bag and jogged toward the front of the stage. Exhaling raggedly, he turned toward the others, picking up a microphone and hopping in place a little bit, ignoring the knowing looks Chris and Justin were sending his way.

It took her a moment to locate Lynn, and she had to work her way through the crowd to get to her. “Wow.” Eyes widening at the number of people gathered in front of the stage, she draped the bag’s strap over her shoulder and glanced at Justin’s mom. “Do they always have a crowd like this?”

“I don’t know. I’ve never been to one of these.” Lynn laughed, reaching out to take the bag from her. “Here, let me hold that. How are they?”

“Good.” Jen unzipped the bag and took out the small camcorder, tightening the strap to secure it to her hand. “Lance needed a pep talk, but I think they’re ready.” She centered the stage on her viewing screen and pressed Record just as the emcee began introducing the group. “I guess we’re about to find out.”

They hit the opening harmony perfectly, and she couldn’t help but cheer when the crowd began grooving with them fairly early into the first number. By the second verse, they’d visibly relaxed, smiling at each other as they moved across the stage, beginning to enjoy themselves. The crowd cheered encouragingly as the song came to an end, waiting with anticipation for the second number to begin.

“They’re really good, aren’t they?”

“Oh, they’re better than good.” Jen turned toward the voice beside her, meeting the smile of a taller black man in a baseball cap. “Just wait until you hear them when they focus on harmony. They all love to entertain, but I’m hoping they put at least one slower number in their set. That’s where their heart is.”

“Really?” His focus came to her, interest lighting his features. “Are you with the group?”

“You could say that. I was appointed group cheerleader about twenty minutes ago.” She laughed. “I didn’t think it’d be polite to turn them down.”

“Of course not.” He turned back to watch the show, nodding as the song ended and the group came together in the middle of the stage. “This would be the perfect spot for a breather …”

She zoomed the camera in so she could frame all of them in the shot, her gaze jumping over to Lynn when they began the familiar acapella tune. “Really? Did you know they were going to do Sailing?”

“Justin told me to keep it a surprise.” The older woman smiled warmly at her. “They love the arrangement you worked up for them, and I have to say that it’s my favorite, too.”

“Wow. It sounds even better than it did when they were learning it.” She noticed the entire group looking directly at her and grinned widely, giving them a wave and a thumbs up. “They’re the sweetest …”

“Did I just hear that you arranged this for them?” The man was still beside her, his attention on her once again. “How did that come about?”

“I’m studying Music Comp at UCF and was working out some warm-up pieces for an ensemble on campus.” She gestured toward the stage. “JC – the one in the middle – and I have been best friends since we were kids, so he asked if I had anything they could use. I guess you could say you’re watching the end result.”

“Impressive.” A thoughtful expression on his face, he nodded and glanced back toward the stage. “The voices and the arrangement. You were right. This is where their heart is.” He held out a hand in her direction. “Johnny Wright.”

“Jen Lawson.” Carefully, she reached her free hand over to grasp his, trying her best to keep the camera from bouncing. “Nice to meet you. Do you come to these showcases often?”

“Only when I’m invited.” Johnny grinned as the song ended, generating screams from the girls who’d moved forward, trying to get closer to the stage. “I’ll be honest … I almost backed out of this one. Something tells me I’m going to be very glad I didn’t.” He watched her adjust the settings on her camcorder as the next up-tempo number began. “Doubly glad. Enjoy the rest of the show.”

“Thanks. You too.” She sent him a smile before he walked away, heading for the area over by the side of the stage opposite from where the guys had been getting ready. “Well, he was nice.” Glancing over to Lynn, her brow furrowed slightly. “Did you know him?”

“Nope.” Lynn shook her head. “I thought maybe you knew him from school.”

“No, I don’t think I’ve ever seen him on campus.” Jen shrugged, puzzled, then turned back to focus on the last three songs of the set. “They’re going to be so excited after this. I don’t think it could’ve gone better.”

The guys landed in their last positions, then jumped up and began slapping hands with some of the people closest to the stage, calling out thanks and appreciation as they headed back toward the stairs they’d run up thirty minutes before.

“Here.” Lynn handed her the bag and began to steer her out of the way. “We should probably head their way before we get trampled.”

It took a little while, but they finally pushed through the crowd and to the side of the stage where the group was waiting. Jen couldn’t help but smile when she saw them posing for photos, various family members and one of the park employees trying to get a good shot before they scattered.

“Hey, Shorty! Get over here!” She was just setting down her bag when Justin called over the noise. “Group picture!”

Her arms crossed over her chest as she turned to look at the grinning bunch. “It looks to me like the group is already there. Why do you need me?”

“Come on, Jen. Don’t make us send Jace after you.” Joey’s eyes lit with amusement. “You know you can’t tell him no.”

“It’ll look awesome on your wall of fame.” JC smiled, already moving to her and taking her hand, pulling her with him. “It’s just one photo, Boof. Please?”

“I’m so much shorter than you guys …” The protest died when she saw the others moving to sit on the stairs, making a spot for her in the middle. “And you’ve already thought of that.” She sighed, looking up at him. “I don’t get to say no, do I?”

“Nope.” He laughed, lifting her up the impossibly steep staircase so she could take a seat between Chris and Lance before sitting down in front of her. “Just think, you can leave it hanging as proof that you were here when it all started.”

“All right, guys. It looks great, but you need to squeeze in so you all fit.” Lance’s mother, Diane, smiled from behind her camera as they all started shifting, Chris and Lance scooting in next to her, Justin and Joey hunkering down on the stair behind. Jen moved her legs to the side so JC could switch from sitting to kneeling, one arm draping across her thighs to steady himself. She wrapped an arm around his shoulders, pulling him back to lean against her and his hand came up, his fingers closing loosely around her forearm. “That’s got it! Hold it!” A few clicks later, she was satisfied. “Perfect!”

As they stood, Lance leaned over to give her a tight hug. “Thanks, Jen. For everything.”

“You are most welcome.” She smiled, turning her head and lowering her voice so that only he could hear. “You were amazing. Never doubt yourself. Okay?”

“Yeah.” He nodded with a grin, then released her and followed the others in jumping down the stairs to scatter among their family members, leaving her to maneuver the ladder-like staircase on her own.

“Seriously?” A sigh escaped as she judged the distance down, determining she wouldn’t land a jump as easily as they had. “What a bunch of vertically blessed punks.”

“Come on.” JC returned to the side of the stairs, chuckling at her predicament. “I’ve got you.”

“Yeah, right.” She moved closer to him, smiling a little when he had to look up at her. “This is different. I’ve never been taller than you. Feels powerful.”

“I’m sure it does.” A playful twinkle sparked in his eyes as he wrapped one arm around her thighs, the other going around her midsection as he pulled her off the stair and against his chest, letting her slide down as he worked out a more secure grip on her. “Did you enjoy the show?”

“It was wonderful.” Her hands framed his face as she rested her forehead against his. “I’m so proud of you, Josh.” She smiled as he stretched up to kiss her cheek. “And thank you for including Sailing. It sounded better than I ever hoped it would.”

“We had a hard time deciding between it and Here and Now.” His hold loosened as he leaned down, her feet finally touching the ground. “But Sailing is your favorite, so it won.”

“There are my boys!” Lou’s voice carried over the commotion as he came around the back side of the stage, Johnny Wright following on his heels. “Fantastic show, kids!”

JC looked down when he felt Jen withdraw, her happiness shuttering into a wary expression, her hand lightly touching his back as she nearly hid behind him at the large man’s approach. His arm went around her, pulling her protectively against his side, before letting his attention turn back to their benefactor.

“Gather around, folks. I’ve got someone you need to meet.” Once he had everyone’s attention, Lou clapped a hand over Johnny’s shoulder. “This is Johnny Wright, of Wright Entertainment Group. You were better than ever tonight, boys … and you’ve impressed this man right here. Say hello to your new manager.”

“You guys were better than impressive. You showed heart.” Johnny let his gaze move over everyone in the crowd, stopping when he found Jen, a smile crossing his features at the sight of her underneath JC’s arm. Her eyes widened in recognition, and she nodded at him, then grinned when he sent her a wink. “Heart is what it takes to make it in this business. Lots of heart and even more hard work. I’ll work hard for you, if you’ll work hard for me.” He seemed to make a point by stepping away from Lou. “I’ve already got a few labels in mind to shop this group to and as soon as I can get some meetings set up, we’ll get started. Be prepared to go to auditions in the next few weeks.” A murmur of excited chatter began to spread. “This is just the beginning, boys. Things are about to get exciting.”

 

 

Chapter Twelve by Renee

November 2, 1995

“Okay, guys. Call it a night. I’ll see you in my office at ten, then we’ll head over to BMG. You’re scheduled with them at noon, so we’ll do a quick run through, then take our time getting there.” Johnny gave them a nod as he headed up the stairs, Matt following on his heels. “Get some rest, boys.” As he pushed the door open and stepped into the hallway, Johnny looked down and stopped in his tracks, puzzled by the cooler blocking the front door. Moving closer, he found two smaller bags sitting on top – one labeled with his name, the other with Matt’s. “What’s this?”

“What?” Matt leaned around him to take a look. “Jace wasn’t kidding. She really is a mama bear.” A quiet laugh escaped. “I’m betting that’s our dinner.”

“Mama bear?” Johnny’s brow arched as he glanced at the choreographer. “Who’s a mama bear?”

“Jen. She has this habit of taking care of everybody. Giving us the studio to work in, feeding us, arranging help for Lance, letting them invade her space whenever they need to relax. She even set me up with my girlfriend.” Leaning down, Matt picked up the note anchored to the cooler and smiled, reading out loud as the others gathered in the hallway behind him. “I know it’s late, but you’ve got a busy day tomorrow. Take it with you and eat at least a little bit tonight. I’d wish you good luck on the audition, but this one’s going to be it. Just do your thing and they’ll love you.”

“Oh, man. What’d she fix?” Joey nodded at Johnny. “Open it up and let’s see.”

“She really doesn’t have to feed me.” The older man shook his head as he picked up the bag and unzipped it, groaning when he saw what was inside. “Ham salad. Sandwiches and some extra with crackers. Looks like the good stuff, too. Man, I haven’t had a good ham salad since my gram passed on.” His fingers tugged at a Ziplock bag tucked to the side. “And cookies. Peanut butter, I think.”

“She must’ve found the recipe she was looking for.” Chris smiled, turning to look down the hallway toward the dim lighting in the main rooms. “Hey, Jace, isn’t her test tomorrow, too?”

“Yeah. She was stressing earlier. I guess she thought cooking would be a good distraction.” JC walked away from the front door, pausing to slide his duffel toward the doorway of the downstairs bedroom. “Will you guys fit in your car, or do you need my Jeep? I’m gonna stay here and meet up with you in the morning.”

“We can fit in mine.” Chris took the keys out of his pocket and tossed them to Lance. “You guys load up. I’ll be there in a minute.” He sent a wave to Johnny and Matt as they walked out the door, then made his way after JC, following him into the kitchen. “You sound worried. Is she okay?”

“I’m sure she is. It’s just … this test is so important to her and she didn’t even have a full six weeks to study for it. I don’t want her to psych herself out.” A tired sigh floated through the semi-darkness as he opened the refrigerator and reached for a bottle of water, laughing quietly when he found the covered plate of food with a note for him on it. “And it actually scares me a little that she knows me so well.” He put the plate on the counter, grinning at Chris as he read the folded paper. “That means you, too, Josh. Water doesn’t cut it after the day you’ve had. Stop worrying about my test, eat at least half of this plate and get some rest. There’s some extra cookies for Chris in my special jar.”

“All right!” Going directly to the jar with music notation around the lid, Chris reached in and pulled out a bag with another dozen cookies in it. “I don’t care if she’s scary sometimes, she’s the best.” He took a bite, humming softly as it melted on his tongue. “Give her a hug for me. And tell her good luck on her test. I should probably run before the kids clear out that cooler. See you in the morning.”

“Yep.” JC took a bite out of a sandwich, chewing quickly. “Care to hit the alarm on your way out? I’ll catch the dead bolts before I turn in.”

“Sure thing.” With a two fingered wave, Chris spun and headed for the door. “Later, C.”

“Later.” Moments later, the beep of the alarm sounded, and the door thumped firmly as it closed. Blue eyes turned back to the note on the counter. “Stop worrying … yeah, right. One of us needs to.” Shaking his head, he finished the sandwich and a handful of crackers before draining his water and returning the plate to the refrigerator.

After making sure the locks were secured, he stopped to change into a pair of pajama pants and an old sleeveless undershirt, then began making his way up the stairs to check on her. Before he was halfway up, a noise drew his attention and he looked down into the living room, his eyes widening when he found her asleep on one of the couches, a book open on her chest and headphones over her ears.

Laughing under his breath, he turned around and came back down, his bare feet padding softly across the wooden floor until he stood above her. Closing the book, he laid it on the coffee table, then removed the headphones, taking extra care not to get them tangled in her hair. Quiet music carried to him and he listened for moment, grinning when he recognized her style in the catchy melody.

He stopped the disc, setting the headphones next to her Discman, and turned back to look at her, a soft smile forming as he took in her peaceful expression. Bending down, he slid his hands underneath her until he was sure he had a good grip, then very carefully lifted her up against his chest.

She breathed deeply and stirred, not quite coming awake as she turned her face into him, her sleepy voice muffled by his shoulder. “Josh?”

“Yeah.” Holding her closer as he moved toward the stairs, his head lowered until his chin rested against her hair. “Bedtime, Boof. Let’s get you to your room.”

“’Kay.” One of her arms wrapped around his neck and chills raced over his skin as her lips moved against him. “Did you eat enough?”

“You know I did.” Humor lightened his voice as he began climbing the staircase. “You always get your way, don’t you, mama bear?”

“Hmmm.” She hummed, still hovering in sleep as her fingers combed into his hair. “Not always.”

Silence settled and by the time he was carrying her into her bedroom, she was breathing steadily against him once again. Table lamps were lit on both sides of the bed, sending a warm glow through the room as he maneuvered around the furniture, laying her down on the side closest to the alarm clock, her brow furrowing when he reached up to pull her arm from around his neck.

He checked that the alarm was set, turned off the lamp, then brushed the hair out of her face before leaning down to kiss her forehead. “’Night, Jenny. Dream well.”

“Josh …” Her voice was little more than a whisper as one of her hands twitched his direction, her head turning slightly toward him. “Stay … please.”

The words gave him pause and he debated the wisdom behind sharing her bed for the night rather than heading downstairs to the room she’d declared as his whenever he wanted it. The decision was easy when she made a restless noise, turning on her side to face him, her hand moving further toward him as she came dangerously close to the edge of the bed.

“Okay, okay.” He spoke softly and pushed against her shoulders, moving her onto her back and toward the middle of the mattress. Shaking his head, he made his way around to the other side, switching off the lamp as he settled on the bed, releasing a deep breath as his body hit the soft comforter.

He’d no more than laid down when she rolled, her arm going around his neck once again, her cheek pressing into his chest as she snuggled herself to him. His heart skipped a few beats when she sighed and relaxed against him.

“What does it do to you whenever you touch her?”

The question Chris had asked him months ago came rushing back as he wrapped his arms around her and moved until he could press his lips to the top of her head. The answer he’d given then had been the absolute truth: he was well aware of what it did to him whenever he touched her. Looking back, he now realized that he’d been having the same reactions to her since he’d turned sixteen: his pulse became abnormal, his body relaxed, breathing became easier … there was peace. Any time she hugged him, touched his hand or leaned into him, happiness came. And whenever he had to leave her behind, every time she had to go away, there was a pain he couldn’t describe.

Which could pose a problem, considering the warnings Johnny had been giving them. It seemed that their type of act wasn’t exactly in demand for the American music scene. More than one of his groups had been sent overseas to break into the international market, attempting to create an interest stateside. Sometimes it worked. More often than not, it didn’t.

The chances of having to leave her again if they signed a deal were astronomically higher than the odds that they’d get to stay in the United States. They’d likely be able to visit, just as he had when he’d been performing for the Club. But those trips were sure to be fewer and farther between … and he’d have to make the impossible decision of splitting his time between his family and her.

“A thousand miles makes a big difference, you know. Besides, long distance relationships aren’t exactly my thing.”

His heart sank as he remembered her reasons for not getting more serious with Tony all those years ago. A thousand miles was only a fraction of the distance they could be travelling, and he knew there was no way he could be what she needed if they were on different continents. Forget being physically available, he wasn’t even sure if regular phone calls would be possible. Even if she could cope with not being able to see him, she needed someone who could be readily emotionally available to her, at the very least.

It didn’t appear that was going to be an option for him. And until the direction their future was headed became more clear, he couldn’t bring himself to allow them the choice.

With a silent groan, he buried his face in her hair and pulled her closer.

God, what I’d give to be able to have you.

----------------------------------------

November 9, 1995

The letter was lying in her mailbox when she got home, a deceivingly nondescript envelope that held results directly impacting the next three to five years of her life. Glancing quickly over at the collection of vehicles in the drive, she did a mental headcount and determined that Johnny must be meeting with the guys this afternoon. Looking down at the letter, she had a brief hope that she could make it to the privacy of her room without attracting attention from the group downstairs.

It was quiet as she walked quickly through the main rooms, grabbing the cordless phone from its cradle before dashing up the stairs and into her bedroom, closing the door behind her. Taking a deep breath, she hopped onto the bed and stretched out, getting comfortable and saying a silent prayer as her fingers tore open the flap and pulled out the single sheet of paper.

She read it quickly, then blinked, shaking her head as she read it again. Sitting straight up, she let her eyes travel over the words one last time before allowing a smile to form.

I passed.

Rolling quickly, she let her feet hit the floor and immediately began a dance of celebration around the room. “I passed!”

Picking up the phone, she dialed quickly, grinning as she listened to the answering machine greeting until the beep sounded. “Hey, Mom! I know you’re at work, but I wanted you to know that I just got my results. I passed! Looks like it’s Winter Class of ’98 for me. We’ll have to celebrate when I come up for break. Love you, Mom. Talk to you later.” Bouncing on her toes, she ended the connection and moved toward the door.

There was a commotion from the basement as she stepped out onto the landing and she heard a stampede heading up to the main level. Distracted by someone calling her name as the door banged open in the hallway, she didn’t realize she’d missed a step until her heel caught the very edge of the stair and slipped off, sending her tumbling onto her back on the staircase. She slid all the way down, her head slamming into each stair until she landed in a heap on the floor, the phone in her hand shattering into pieces with the impact.

For a moment, she just lay there with her eyes closed, holding her breath and trying to focus past the pain in her skull, the faint sound of quick footsteps surrounding her. Finally, she rolled to her back and groaned in agony as the pain made its way from her head and down her neck, radiating all the way through her body until it reached her fingers and toes. “Oh, my … owww.”

“Jenny?” JC’s voice came from somewhere around her and she felt his hands on her arms, releasing her immediately when she whimpered in pain. “God, Boof. Are you okay?”

“I don’t know yet. Give me a minute.” Taking a few deep breaths, she gathered enough of her senses to release the remaining shards of the phone, a slight relief setting in when its jagged edges quit cutting into her left palm. “Okay, I can’t tell. Am I still in one piece?”

“I’m not sure, but I hope you’re in better shape than the phone.” Lance began picking up the scattered pieces of plastic, making sure she didn’t cut herself. “I think it’s pretty much history.”

“If it makes you feel any better, I’ve never seen anybody fall down the stairs that gracefully. It almost looked choreographed.” Chris laughed when she made a face toward the ceiling. “Hey, I’ve finally got a nickname for you. Gracie.”

“Fantastic.” She finally opened her eyes, her brow furrowing as she grimaced, trying to sit up. “My God. I’m going to be feeling that for a few weeks.” Hands gently grasped her shoulders, helping her until she was upright, leaning back against … she turned her head until she could see who was behind her. “Thanks, J.”

“No problem.” He glanced back at the staircase. “What’s the rush, Shorty? Hot date?”

“Something like that.”

“Really?” Joey’s brows arched in surprise, ignoring the elbow Chris jabbed into his side. “Seriously?”

“No, not really.” She laughed, then groaned, shaking her head. “My results came today. I passed the exit exam for my general ed requirements.” With a sigh, she tried rolling out her shoulders. “If I get creative with my program electives and throw in a few summer courses, I should graduate a year and a half ahead of when they expect me to.”

“Looks like good news is going around all over today, huh, boys?”

Jen looked toward the kitchen, where Johnny was leaning against the counter, a half-eaten cookie in his fingers. “What happened?” Her gaze bounced to each smiling face around her, finally stopping to study JC. “You did it, didn’t you? They signed you.”

“As if you didn’t already know they would.” JC grinned, reaching down with both hands to help her stand. “You called it, Jenny. They signed the deal today.” Once she was on her feet, he pulled her into a gentle hug. “We were just on our way to grab you and go celebrate.”

“I guess we’ve all got a reason to party, then, don’t we?” She made her way slowly around the group, hugging each one of them. “If I hadn’t just tried to cripple myself, I’d be a little more enthusiastic about it, but I’m so proud of all of you.” Her hands came to her lower back, massaging the protesting muscles as she turned back to Johnny. “So, where are they going?”

“Sweden.”

“Oh, good.” A relieved smile crossed her features. “I was afraid they’d end up in Japan.”

“What?” JC’s fingers grasped her arm, turning her to face him. “You knew we’d have to go overseas?”

“Yeah.” She nodded her head in their manager’s direction. “I’ve been kept in the loop on pretty much everything. Johnny’s awesome like that.” Her gaze moved over his face and he could see her excitement for them, burying the touch of sadness she felt. It was that tiny bit of dimness in her smile that had him pulling her into his arms, hugging her tightly. “You’re going to have such an amazing time, Josh. When do you leave?”

“We were just getting to that part.” Johnny looked over the group around her. “Most studio work is going on hold because of the holiday season, so we have until January to make travel arrangements and get the paperwork straightened out. WEG has a property in Stockholm that will be your home base, similar to what Lou has for you here, but we’ll be on the move a lot, trying to generate interest with producers in Germany.” His arms crossed over his chest. “Getting the deal signed is just the beginning. The real work starts when we get there.”

“We’ll work then. Right now, we eat.” Joey looked around at the others. “Mexican? We haven’t done Salvador’s in a while.” There was a chorus of agreement and they began moving toward the door, grabbing up keys and bags as they went, pretending not to notice that they were leaving JC still holding Jen at the foot of the stairs.

“I’m glad we got the deal, but I was really hoping for other terms.” With a groan, he rested his chin against the side of her head. “I was praying that we’d at least get to stay in North America.”

“It’s okay, Josh. You have to go where the demand is.” Her smile was genuine as her fingers combed through his hair. “If they love pop groups in Germany, then to Germany you’ll go … or at least as close to Germany as you can get.”

“It’s five thousand miles, Jen.” He raised his head with a sigh. “Five thousand miles.”

“Hey, at least it’s not seven thousand miles.” She put a hand to his face, tapping her fingers against his cheek until he opened his eyes. “If you’re there long enough, maybe I can come visit. I’ve always wanted to see Europe.”

“If they like us, we could be over there for years.” His hands came to her hips, squeezing her as his brow furrowed. “And if we don’t grab somebody’s interest over here, we might have to stay there permanently.”

“Then I guess I’ll get to see a lot of Europe.” One side of her mouth quirked up. “If I pick the right time and you have a little wiggle room in your schedule, maybe we can go to Paris. I’d love to see Paris. Or Rome. Or you could meet me in Scotland. All those castles must be fantastic to see. I could bring H and Ty and we’ll check out Loch Ness, see if we can’t find any signs of Nessie.”

“Boof …” A frustrated sigh escaped.

“Josh, stop it. This is a great opportunity … the best opportunity. Don’t let a little thing like distance make you regret what you’ve worked so hard for.”

“Yeah, I know.” A dark brow rose questioningly. “I kind of imagined that you’d take it a little harder than this. Maybe be just a tad bit more upset?”

“Oh, just you wait. I’ll be a complete mess the week you’re supposed to leave.” She leaned forward and laughed softly into his chest. “You’ll be running for the plane just to escape the waterworks.”

“I doubt that.” He closed his eyes again and hugged her tightly, taking a deep breath when her arms went around his waist. “I don’t want to leave you here alone, Jenny.”

“I won’t be alone. Maggie, Brian, Adam, Matt, Amber, Chloe, the folks from the Center … they’re all here.” A sigh escaped as she pressed her cheek against him. “Mom’s retiring next month, so she’ll be here all the time. I’ll have to tell her to bring your mom down, too. Mrs. Fatone still wants a lot of my recipes – and keeps telling me to set aside time for a bread lesson – so I’m sure she’ll be around. Big Joe is determined to beat me at chess, so he’s threatening me with a rematch. And I’d thought about asking your parents if the kids could visit during a few of their school breaks. The whole family could come, since I’ve got so much room. We could do the Disney thing. Or maybe Busch Gardens. I haven’t been there yet.”

“Just make sure you still have room for me, okay?” A crooked smile formed across his features. “I’m not sure how I feel about you having a list of people ready to take my place.”

“Your place is permanently reserved. Always.” She grinned up at him. “And I’ll have a room for you, too. I know it’s more like a guest room right now, but before you go, we need to make the suite down here yours. It’s basically an apartment, anyway … it just doesn’t have a kitchen. Anything you can’t take with you can stay here and whenever you cross back over to this side of the pond, you’ll have a place to stay when you aren’t in Bowie.”

“You really want me to move in?”

“Well, you already stay here a few nights a week. And I’ve been telling you for months that if the Funky Bunch got to be too much for you, then you could just move over here.” Shaking her head, she laughed. “Honestly, I’m surprised you haven’t caved before now. You know I love them to death, but being trapped with them all day, every day would have me flying off my rocker.”

“Yeah, I know.” He leaned down, kissing her forehead. “Thanks, Jen. You’re the best.”

“Sure.” She pulled away from him when she felt his stomach growling. “Think they’ve already got a table? I’m suddenly in the mood for chimichangas.” As she turned to grab her keys, her lower back and legs protested painfully. “And maybe we should hurry. I get the feeling I’m not going to be very mobile in the next little while.”

“I’m not surprised.” With a laugh, he took the keys from her. “Let’s go, Gracie. Your chariot awaits.”

----------------------------------------

November 18, 1995

“The canvas can do miracles, just you wait and see.” Jen breathed between lines, letting her gaze travel over the circle of toddlers napping on mats around her on the floor, making sure all was well. “It’s not far to Never-Never Land, no reason to pretend …” She shifted carefully in the rocking chair, trying to jumpstart the blood flow to her still-bruised legs without jostling the little chatterbox lying on her lap. “Sailing takes me away …”

“Miss Denny?”

No such luck. Sighing, she turned a smile to the big green eyes staring up at her. “What is it, Sophie?”

“Why sing dat song?”

“Because my Daddy sang it to put me to sleep when I was your age. It was his favorite, so now it’s one of mine.” With a quiet laugh, she lowered her head to kiss the crown of black curls leaned against her shoulder. “Don’t you like it?”

“Wike.” A tiny hand came up to pat her cheek. “Sing mo’?”

“You want more Sailing?”

“Sumpin’ else?”

“Okay, but you have to close your eyes first.” A sound came from the hallway and she cringed, looking around for movement among the others. “Nap time won’t be over for a little while longer.”

“’Kay.” Sophie obediently closed her eyes, snuggling into Jen as she relaxed again. “Sing mo’.”

“When the night has come and the land is dark, and the moon is the only light we’ll see …” After some quick thought, she began a different tune and set to rocking the chair, carefully shifting the toddler into a more comfortable position as her breathing deepened. “No, I won’t be afraid. No, I won’t be afraid. Just as long as you stand, stand by me. So darlin’, darlin’, stand by me …”

A louder noise came from the doorway and Jen swallowed hard, looking down at the child who was beginning to stir in her arms, her eyes blinking open again.

“Miss Denny?”

A silent groan was masked by another smile. “Yes, Sophie?”

“Why sing dat song?”

“Because it reminds me of my friend.”

“Oo have fwien?”

“Yep. I have lots of friends, but this one is special.” She leaned down to whisper in Sophie’s ear. “He’s my best friend.”

Green eyes widened, intrigued. “He spesho?”

Very special.”

“Berry spesho.” Sophie was quiet for a moment, her head tilting as she looked across the room. “Miss Denny?”

“Hmm?”

“Who dat?”

“Who’s … who?” Jen followed the girl’s pointing finger to the doorway and found JC and Chris leaned on either side, grinning at her. Shaking her head, she sent them a smile and turned back to Sophie. “That’s JC and Chris. They’re friends of mine.”

“Daycee an’ Cwis?” Sophie looked up for confirmation.

“That’s right. JC is my very special friend. Okay, I’m going to set you down, sweetie.” Sliding the girl off her lap, she began fishing in her pocket. “You want to know a big secret?”

Black curls bounced with a vigorous nod.

“Okay, but you have to promise to keep it. Promise?” Retrieving her car keys, she watched as Sophie nodded again. “JC gives the best hugs in the world.”

“Inna whirl?”

“Uh huh. In the whole wide world.” She pressed the keys into the little girl’s hand and pulled her close. “If you take these keys to him and ask really nicely, he’ll give you one. How does that sound?”

The toddler looked down at the keys in her hand. “Keys to Daycee an’ hug?”

“That’s right.” Jen turned Sophie toward the doorway and pointed to the left. “Take them to the man in the blue shirt, okay?”

Without another word, little feet took off at a run toward JC, stopping just short of slamming into his shins. Sophie craned her head back to look way up. “Daycee?”

“That’s me.” With a laugh, he knelt in front of her, smiling into the cherubic face. “Hi, sweetheart. What’s your name?”

“Is Sophie.”

“Oh, what a pretty name!” He exclaimed, crossing his arms over his knee and sending a glance over the girl’s head to find Jen biting her lips to hold back laughter. “It’s nice to meet you, Sophie.”

“Nice meet.” The keys jingled in her tiny fingers as she held them out. “Miss Denny say keys to Daycee an’ hug.”

“The keys are for me and you want a hug?” As he took the keys, he waited for clarification.

“Hug.” Sophie nodded. “Peas? Miss Denny say Daycee bes’ hug inna whirl.”

“Is that so?” A grin lightened his face as Chris covered a laugh with a fake cough. “Well, I guess we’ll find out, huh?” Very carefully, he gathered the toddler to him in a tight hug, lifting her from the floor so that she could wrap her little arms around his neck. Standing to his feet, he began swaying from side to side, letting his cheek rest on her black curls. “How’s that, Sophie?”

“Bes’ inna whirl.” She sighed against him. “Miss Denny say Daycee berry spesho fwien. Sing song fo’. Daycee me spesho fwien, too?”

“Sure thing, kiddo.” His hand patted her back as her head turned on his shoulder, her gaze landing on Chris.

“Cwis hug, too?”

“Me, too?” Dark eyes widened in mock surprise when her arms stretched his direction. “Are you sure? You just had the best hug in the world. I’d probably disappoint.”

“No hug depoit. Peas?” A pout marred Sophie’s face as she reached further for him. “Cwis spesho fwien, too?”

“Yeah, I’m special, too.” Chris took her from JC, smiling when she immediately put her arms around his neck and cuddled into his chest. “Aren’t you just a little princess?”

“No pwincie. I jus’ Sophie.”

“Oops. My bad. Just Sophie it is.” He bent down, putting her on her feet and pointing her back to the napping group. “We’ve got to go, Just Sophie, but we’ll see you again.”

“’Kay. Bye bye bye. Nice meet, Daycee, Cwis.” Without a backward glance, she took off, running across the room to where Jen had turned the chair around to watch them. She grinned and held her arms out when the toddler came close, expertly hiding her grimace as she scooped her right back into her lap.

“Bye guys. Have fun.” Jen leaned down and whispered into Sophie’s ear, smiling as the little girl waved goodbye before looking back toward the doorway. “Pick me up at four?”

“See you then.” JC nodded and waved, turning to follow Chris out into the hallway. Pausing just outside the door, he glanced over his shoulder, taking in how Jen hugged the toddler into her body, automatically rocking in a soothing motion and humming. She smiled softly when little fingers patted at her face, then pressed her lips against Sophie’s cheek.

“Hey, Jace … we gotta go, man. Stop mooning over Gracie and get a move on.”

Shaking his head, he took off after Chris, heading for the parking lot.

*********************

Four o’clock couldn’t come fast enough, but when four thirty arrived and she still had children at her feet, Jen knew it was going to be a long evening. With a sigh, she made sure her backpack was secured in a spot on her back that would cause the least pain before leaning down to pick up a whimpering toddler in each arm and making her way out the door and down the hallway. The little ones clung tightly to her, each limb pressing against her bruised skin, tiny fingers tangling painfully in her hair as she stopped at the reception desk.

“Hey, Kara. Any sign of Clowers and Bright?”

The girl working the desk looked up at her exhausted tone, her eyes widening at the trio standing in front of her. “Oh, hey, Jen. Are you still here?”

“Yep. We’ve got two stragglers.” The children looked back and forth between the young women, lips beginning to tremble in warning of oncoming waterworks. “Parent pick up running late today?”

“I didn’t think so, but I guess I didn’t realize what time it was.” Kara glanced toward the doors as they came open, both of the parents under question rushing in, full of apologies as they claimed their offspring and ran back out. “Well, that was convenient. Did you have the Romper Room to yourself today?”

All by myself.” Jen released a weary breath. “And I’m hoping it doesn’t happen again. They’re sweet, but eight little ones are really too much for one person.” She shifted uncomfortably under the weight of her bag. “And it doesn’t help that I’m too stiff to really chase after them.”

“Yeah, I heard what happened.” Kara grimaced as she recalled the description. “It’s a miracle you didn’t break something. Good thing you’ve got a vacation next week. Maybe you’ll be healed up before you come back in.”

“Hopefully. A little TLC from my Mom will work wonders, I’m sure.”

Both girls looked up when the door opened again, JC stepping into the lobby and looking around, smiling when he found her. “Hey, Boof. You ready?”

“Yeah. Be right there.” She turned back to Kara. “Have a great Thanksgiving.”

“You, too.” Kara’s eyes moved over JC twice and she nodded appreciatively before leaning across the counter and lowering her voice. “And I’d think a little TLC from him would work more than wonders. Just saying.”

“Uh huh. Okay.” Jen laughed as she walked slowly toward the door, shaking her head. “See you later.”

“Later.”

“Sorry I’m late.” She apologized as she came closer to him, reaching for the straps on her shoulders to adjust them again. “We had a few to stay over.”

“No biggie.” He held the door for her, letting her get just in front of him before hooking his fingers through the top loop of her pack. “Here, let me take it.” She didn’t argue when he slipped the bag from her arms, sighing in relief when the weight left her back. “Are you okay?”

“I’ll be fine. I’m just stiff. And tired.” A grin formed as she looked up at him. “I love working the Romper Room, but it’s hard enough when it’s just me, let alone when my body feels like it’s ninety years old.”

“Well, ninety won’t last forever.” He laughed quietly, letting his arm rest lightly on her shoulders as they walked to the car. “You’ll be back to normal before you know it.”

“I hope so.” She shook her head when he tried to hand her the keys. “No, you drive. Until we get to where you’re going, anyway.” With a sigh, she pulled open the front passenger side door and reached for her bag. “After I leave you, I get to run to the grocery store. I’ll take any resting minute I can get.” Her gaze traveled to the back seat, one brow raising when she found Chris and Justin quietly trading punches. “Oh, hey guys. Along for the ride?”

“Hey, Shorty.” Justin grinned. “Fun day?”

“Sure … the funnest, as the two-year-olds like to say.” She sat back in the seat, shifting until she was almost comfortable before digging through her bag for her grocery list and giving it a quick review. “Kind of glad it’s almost over.”

“Change of plan, guys.” JC started the engine, casting a sideways glance her direction, just in time to catch her pained grimace. “Grocery store, then Jen’s place.”

“What? No, you guys don’t have to …”

“Cool. Let’s see your list.” Cutting off her protest, Chris reached between the seats and plucked the paper from her fingers. “You itemize by aisle number? Damn, Gracie. Just split it into three and we’ll knock it out in no time.” He studied the list, then handed it back to her. “What are you making, anyway?”

“I’m getting a head start on prepping for my Christmas baking. I have a few extra treat baskets to make this year.” Pulling out a pen, she added a few more items. “And Joey’s mom asked me to bring potato and pasta salads and a few desserts for their pre-holiday thing this weekend.”

“There wouldn’t be a Reese’s pie on that menu, would there?” Justin leaned forward, giving her his very best puppy-dog expression. “The last one you made was yum.”

“Yum, huh?” She laughed and put her hand on his face, pushing him into his seat. “I guess that would work. It’d be easy enough to make a larger version in a cake pan.” In the rearview mirror, she caught the fist bump between the two in the back. “Seriously, you guys are such pushovers. A little chocolate, some peanut butter and you’re helpless mush.”

“Just for you, Gracie. You spoil us on purpose, and you know it.” Chris winked at her in the mirror as JC pulled into a parking space. “It’s okay.  Even if you didn’t, we’d know you love us.”

“Like you give me a choice.” Her smile cut through her exhaustion and she split the list evenly as they piled out of the car. “Okay, you guys take the sides, Josh and I will take the middle. I’m kind of picky about my baking ingredients and seasonings.”

“Sure thing. We’ll meet you in the baking aisle, then.” Justin gave a quick wave as he and Chris each grabbed a basket and split to opposite ends of the store, leaving Jen to take a cart.

“They’re going to be finished before we are.” Her tone was apologetic as she looked over at JC, who matched her slow pace through the store. “Sorry. I know this isn’t exactly a guy thing.”

“Take your time. We’ve got nowhere to be.” He smiled, following her as she selected jars of smooth and chunky peanut butter, then reached up for the pickles and spiced olives she pointed out on a high shelf. “How do you shop when you’re by yourself? There’s a lot of stuff you can’t reach.”

“Stock boys are actually pretty nice.” Glancing down at her list, she bit back a grin. “There’s usually one going by just when I need him.”

“Uh huh. I’m sure they’re all kinds of handy.” Rolling his eyes when she couldn’t see him, he shook his head as he focused on a guy in a grocery store apron hovering around the head of the aisle. “Anyway, you should definitely check Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum’s baskets when we find them. They’ve probably made bets on who finishes first, so there’s no telling what you’ll end up with.”

“Thanks for the tip.” She paused, then laughed as they turned into the baking aisle. “I think J ended up with the candy aisle on his side. Do I need to be worried?”

“More than likely.”

“Great. Well, I could always make cookie bars with the extras.” She tossed in a variety of pudding and cake mixes, a box of graham cracker crumbs, a few packages of chocolate chips, a bag of powdered sugar, some Marshmallow Creme and a large tin of cocoa before stopping in front of the spices, her gaze falling on a plastic jar of Pumpkin Pie Spice. “Oh, that reminds me. I need to make sure Mom picks up the stuff for a pumpkin roll next week. Your dad and Heather always like one at Thanksgiving.”

“You know, Chris wasn’t kidding. You really do spoil everybody.”

“Except for you, now that I think about it.” Her teeth worked over her lip as she turned her attention to him. “I can’t think of one time when you’ve asked for anything special.”

“Jenny, you’re too good to me and you know it. You’re letting me move in with you … even if I won’t actually be here much, you’ll be housing my stuff. Besides, you already know my weaknesses.” He laughed, pulling her to his side and kissing the top of her head. “Anything chocolate and I’m at your mercy.”

“Noted. I’m thinking a Death by Chocolate might be on the menu, too.” She picked up a few packages of brownie mix and grinned at his mock groan, then pointed to a row of spices just out of her reach. “Can you hand me two cinnamons, a paprika and a red pepper? With the black label?”

As he was reaching for the containers, the song over the store radio changed and she immediately focused on the familiar melody, her eyes widening as the first verse began.

Sorry I never told you all I wanted to say
And now it’s too late to hold you
’Cuz you’ve flown away, so far away


She grabbed his wrist, jerking him to a halt.

“You did say paprika, right?” He turned to look at her. “Jen?”

“Shh! Listen.” Bouncing on her toes, her pain was forgotten as she grinned brightly. “Listen!”

“To what?” His brow furrowed as he listened carefully, his gaze meeting hers at the familiar lyrics. “Is that Boyz II Men?”

“That’s my song.” She gasped, hopping up and down as a new voice came in. “They made it a duet with … Mariah Carey?” He could see the excitement in her eyes when her other hand instinctively reached for him. “Josh, Boyz II Men and Mariah Carey are singing my song!”

With a wide grin, he dropped the spices in the cart and grabbed her up against him, her feet leaving the floor and her arms going around his neck as he spun with her, both of them laughing. Their excited ruckus earned more than a few stares and drew Chris and Justin to the head of the aisle, curious about the commotion.

“That’s my song!” Without thinking – and with total disregard to their audience – her hands came to his face, her lips meeting his in a giddy, friendly peck. As she pulled away, brown eyes locked on blue and she felt him take a shuddering breath, his eyes darkening as he leaned into her, connecting again.

For a split second, she was startled, then she closed her eyes and tilted her head to give him a better angle as his mouth moved against hers. With a nearly silent whimper, she responded, her fingers sliding around and into his hair as she relaxed into his arms. He lowered her so she could stand, his lips catching hers over and over again as one arm tightened to pull her closer, his hand coming to her face as he proceeded to blow their kiss from her prom night completely out of the water, setting off a riot of fireworks through her that would rival any Fourth of July display.

Vaguely aware of the twittering among the shoppers watching them, he lightened the pressure and tried to back off, but she went on her toes and followed after him, her arms wrapping around his neck as she showed him that she wasn’t ready for an ending yet. Sighing into her, he kissed her softly a few times more before finally pulling away, resting his forehead against hers as he licked his lips, catching the surprising flavor of berries and cream. Smiling inwardly, he let himself focus on her mouth, wondering if she knew how much of a turn-on the flavored lip gloss was … and he briefly considered asking if this was the only flavor she wore, or if there were others she used.

Her eyes opened after a moment, meeting his for only seconds before softening with a confused smile, a faint blush staining her cheeks as she tried to gather herself enough to form a coherent thought. “Well, that … Josh, I … I, uh … Wow.” As the stuttered mess of words tumbled out, she grimaced with an embarrassed moan, her face instantly blazing a bright crimson. He chuckled under his breath, straightening up to press his lips to her forehead then pulling her to him so she could hide her face in his chest.

That’s one way to put it, Boof. Definitely wow.

“Now that was a kiss!” An elderly man shuffled down the aisle, his eyes sparking with amusement as he clapped a gnarled hand over JC’s shoulder on his way by. “Always kiss her like that, son. Trust me, time will fly away before you know it. Don’t waste a day, don’t waste a minute.” He smiled as he moved away. “I’d give anything to be able to kiss my girl like that again.”

A glance further down the aisle had him meeting the gleeful, triumphant expressions his bandmates were sporting. Chris raised his eyebrows suggestively and Justin was grinning like the Cheshire cat as they both gave him nods of approval and a comically synchronized thumbs-up. Looking at them, reality came crashing down on him, and he groaned silently as he turned back to her, leaning down to bury his face against her hair.

Time’s not the only thing flying away, old man. So am I. Five thousand miles, Jenny. How could I possibly ask you to be mine with that between us?

 

 

Chapter Thirteen by Renee

January 11, 1996

“Is this the last one?” JC grunted as he took the box Chris passed to him, maneuvering it into the stack on the left side of the largest basement storage room.

“Yeah.” With a quiet groan, Chris moved through the double doors and plopped down on the new couch, running a hand through his hair as he stared at the new TV across the room. “She really didn’t have to do this, Jace. I mean … you, I understand. Me?”

“You were gonna be homeless, man.” Closing the door in the hallway, JC came into the living room of Chris’ new apartment and collapsed on the other end of the cushions. “What did you expect her to do?”

“I know, but …” He paused, gesturing with one hand around the redecorated room. “I just … really? All I needed was a place to sleep. She didn’t have to update everything and add furniture down here, too.” Running his fingers over the fabric covering the armrest, he shook his head. “This was already nicer than the last apartment I had.”

“You should’ve been there when she made me go shopping for my space. All I wanted was a new comforter for the bed, but she corrected me fast.” JC’s tone was light with humor. “Trust me, just go with it. She’d originally planned to put you in one of the rooms upstairs, but thought you might like to have a little more privacy. Plus, Maggie and her drama group are down here all the time because of the studio, so it’s not like they won’t be using it while we’re gone.”

“Yeah, okay.” Closing his eyes, Chris leaned his head back and yawned. “Are you ready to go? Tomorrow’s gonna be a hell of a day.”

“As ready as I can be, I guess. My bags are in the hallway next to yours.” A sigh carried through the room. “I’m glad the others stopped by today. Jenny’s already a wreck, and too many big goodbyes at one time might’ve done her in.”

“She’ll be okay, C.”

“I know. But she’s hurting right now, and it tears me up because I know I’m the main reason for it.”

“Well, like he said, I’ll be okay.” Both looked up at her voice, finding her leaning against the doorjamb. “It won’t be the first time I’ve missed you, Josh. I’ll get used to it, I promise.”

“Hey, Gracie.” Chris smiled, getting up from the couch to go to her for a hug. “Thanks again …”

“Don’t mention it, Spazz.” Jen glanced around, noticing how all the boxes had been removed from the living area. “Everything work out okay?”

“It’s perfect.” His expression dimmed when he saw her red-rimmed eyes and he stepped back, raising his hands to her shoulders. “I don’t know how long it’ll be …”

“As long as you need it, it’s yours. Mi casa es su casa.” She stretched up to kiss his cheek. “I can’t believe I bought a house this big just because I fell in love with a window seat. I have to fill it somehow.” Laughing softly, she pulled away. “You guys have been down here for hours and Maggie is due in anytime. I’ve got chicken tortilla soup with fresh chips ready if you’re hungry.”

“Sounds great, Boof. Thanks.” JC rose to his feet, sending her a grateful smile. “We’ll be there in a few.” As she headed back through the studio and up the stairs, the guys looked at each other, concern mirrored on their faces. “You see what I mean?” Distress colored JC’s voice as she disappeared into the hallway. “I feel like I’m ripping the soul right out of her.”

“Well, Jace, of course she’s upset. You haven’t exactly been Mr. Happy-Go-Lucky these past few weeks, either.” A dark brow rose in challenge. “I’d guess that’s because you love her just as much as she loves you.”

“Yeah, I know.”

“Well, that was easier than I expected. Usually you fight me a lot harder.” Chris laughed in surprise. “What gives?”

“Why try to deny it? You and J were both in that grocery store and saw the entire thing.”

“Oh, you mean that time you tried to set a fire beside the brownie mixes? Now that was some heat.” He grinned at the blush spreading up JC’s neck. “I guess the real question is how many times has that been repeated since?”

“None. I didn’t want to string her along.”

“But you explained that to her, right?”

“Not exactly.”

Not exactly? What does that mean?”

“Okay, so we haven’t talked about it at all.” JC cringed at Chris’ incredulous expression. “When she didn’t bring it up, I avoided the entire thing.”

“And that’s where you’re screwing up, C. You can’t be hot one second, then cold the next. You’re just going to confuse her and frustrate yourself.” His hands came to his friend’s shoulders, forcing him to make eye contact. “She’d wait for you, you know. All you have to do is ask.”

“Wait for how long? One year? Five years?” An exasperated sigh escaped as he shook away and moved toward the stairs. “That would be the most unfair thing I could ask of her. I can’t do it, Chris.”

“I think it’s more unfair that you aren’t giving her the chance to decide for herself.” Shaking his head, Chris followed him up to the hallway. “It might be easier on her if she knew you wanted her to. At least her heart wouldn’t be breaking as badly as it is. You need to be honest with her and tell her how you feel.” He grabbed JC’s arm, pulling him to a halt before they reached the main level. “And not just the parts you think she needs to hear, either. Tell her everything. She won’t disappoint you, I promise.”

“I never thought she’d disappoint me. I’m terrified that I’ll disappoint her. I can’t be here for her and it’s killing me.” Horrified, JC felt tears gathering in his eyes. “No matter how badly I want her to wait for me, a bigger part of me wants her to have someone who can be here for her. She doesn’t just need that … she deserves that. She should have someone who can stand beside her and support her, someone who can hold her hand, take her out and kiss her goodnight.” He turned and sat down on the steps, dropping his face into his hands. “It makes me sick just thinking about someone else being that person for her, but I love her enough to want her to be free to find him, since it can’t be me.”

“But what about what she wants? And don’t you think she should be the one deciding what she needs? I know the distance sucks, but it’s not like you’re never going to talk to her or see her. They have phones over there, you know. Lance got us set up with that e-mail thing so the time difference won’t be such an issue. The deal states we’ll have regular visits home, and she’s already said she’d like to see Europe. You’re totally overthinking this, Jace. Don’t shoot yourself in the foot by blowing it out of proportion.”

“But I …”

“Josh? Chris?” Suddenly, she was there, standing in the hallway, obviously confused at their odd positions on the stairs. “Are you guys okay?”

“We’re absolutely fine.” Chris smiled, putting out a hand to help JC up. “C was having a bit of a stress-out moment. It’s all good.”

“Okay …” Her eyes were narrowed suspiciously, traveling from one face to the other as they came to stand in front of her. “Yeah, I’m not buying it, but I’m not gonna push. Soup’s simmering on the stove, chips are on the counter, there’s sour cream and shredded cheese in the fridge if you need it. I’m heading up to take a shower.” She glanced to JC with a tired smile. “Can we watch a movie later? Or something?”

“Anything you want, Boof.” He pulled her into a tight hug and rested his cheek against her hair, his brow furrowing when he felt how her fingers clutched at his shirt. “I’ll grab a bite to eat and then head for a shower, too. Go get comfortable and I’ll meet you in the living room in a little while.”

“Okay.”

“Uh … hey, Jen?” Chris cleared his throat quietly. “I was thinking about calling Mom and my sisters tonight. Is that okay?”

“Of course it is.” She stepped away from JC with a sigh. “There are separate lines in the office and basement if you don’t want to stay in the main rooms.” Her hand patted his shoulder on her way by. “Just pick one and take as long as you want.” As she started up the staircase, her voice floated back to them. “Josh, you might want to do the same thing. Aunt Karen probably wouldn’t be too happy if she didn’t hear from you before you left.”

It was eight o’clock before he could finally head for the living room, baggy lounge pants swishing around his legs, hair still damp from his shower, a few stray water droplets soaking into the collar of his t-shirt. He found her curled up at the end of one of the couches, hugging a pillow to her chest as she flipped through the channels on the television. “Hey, Jenny. Sorry it took so long. The entire clan was over for game night, so I had to talk to everybody. They all said to tell you hi.” Making his way around the furniture, he paused behind her to lean down and kiss the top of her head. “You still in a movie mood?”

“Yeah.” She looked up at him with a smile, trading remotes so she could control the VCR, pressing play so the previews would start. “Do you want popcorn?”

“Nah, I’m good.” He relaxed back into the cushions, grinning when he saw that she was wearing the fuzzy tie-dyed pajama pants he’d gotten her for Christmas, topped by an oversized Beatles shirt … a gift from Justin, if he remembered correctly. “I’m glad you like those. Do they fit?”

“They’re a little too big, but that’s how I like them. And they’re the softest things I’ve ever worn.” Her fingers rubbed against the material, pressing it against her leg as she looked down at the bright fabric. “Too bad I can’t wear them to class. I’d have it made.”

“Go ahead. Make a fashion statement.” His teasing earned a small grin, and he turned to the movie, laughing as the opening credits began. “Spaceballs? Really?”

“I wanted something funny, and I thought The Princess Bride probably wouldn’t cut it.” A brow arched as her glance cut over to him. “Is this okay?”

“As you wish, Boof.”

“Ha ha.” She whipped the pillow she was holding toward him and he caught it, sending her a triumphant look as he began hugging it himself, not inclined to give it back. “Fine, you win.” Shaking her head, she laughed quietly, shifting until her feet were on the cushion beside her and propping her elbow on the armrest so she could rest her chin in her hand.

He knew how hard she was fighting to keep things light and easy, and he felt a twist in his stomach when he saw her biting her lip to keep it from trembling. By the time Princess Vespa had escaped from her wedding to Prince Valium, tears had escaped, and she was trying to choke back sobs. “Jenny, come here.” Sliding across the cushions toward her, he pulled her into his arms. “It’s gonna be okay.”

“I know.” Twisting around, she straddled his lap until she could press her face into his shoulder and wrap her arms around his neck, just as she’d done whenever she was upset as a little girl. “I know …”

His arms tightened around her as her sobs increased, his head tilting down until he could feel her hair against his cheek. “You’re breaking my heart, Boof.” He began rocking side to side when he felt her tears soaking through his shirt, trying to comfort her. “Maybe you shouldn’t come with us to the airport. I’ll never be able to walk away from you if you’re this upset.”

“I’ll b-be fine.” She forced the words out between hiccupping sobs. “Just l-let me get this p-part over with.”

Continuing to rock her, he let the fingers of one hand slide into her hair and pressed his lips to the side of her head, letting loose a few tears of his own as he prayed that she was right. In the past, whenever she was upset, it only took one good cry for her to begin settling down, and he hoped that this time would be no different. For both of their sakes.

The spaceship had just gone plaid on the television when she began to calm down, taking deep, steadying breaths as she relaxed against him, sniffling away the last of her tears. As she backed away, her hair caught in the black cord around his neck, pulling his necklace out from underneath his shirt. “Sorry.” Combing her fingers through the strands to untangle it, she focused on the silver pendant on the cord and froze, a small smile forming as she looked up at him. “I can’t believe you still wear that.”

“I’ve had to replace the cord a few times, but I really haven’t taken it off since you gave it to me.” His hands came up to her face, his thumbs wiping the tears away from her cheeks. “And I never will. You’re always with me, Jen. No matter where I am.” A flash of something sparked in her eyes and he couldn’t help a smile as he kissed her forehead.

She shifted forward, raising up so she could touch his face, her gaze trailing repeatedly over his features, committing them to memory. Her lips pressed against the skin just below his hairline, then moved down to make contact on each of his cheeks. Brown eyes softened as they met his and he could feel her fingers brushing against his jaw, heard her take a breath, saw her eyes close, and then she was kissing him, her lips catching his tentatively at first, then with more confidence when he responded.

His hands fell to her hips, squeezing her tightly for just a moment, until he felt her fingers moving, sliding into his hair. He groaned quietly, his arms pulling her closer to him, one hand flattening between her shoulder blades as he raised his chin just slightly, giving her more direct access.

Again and again, her mouth moved over his, until she tilted her head with a whisper of a moan – a sound that he felt more than heard – and pressed herself even more fully against him. For a moment, he couldn’t think past how perfectly her curves fit to him, as if she were made specifically to be held in his arms. Then her fingers tightened in his hair and he felt her tongue touch his, setting off a shivering reaction through him so intense, he had to try to put a little space between them.

“Jen …” Another kiss cut him off and another shudder went through him, his body responding eagerly despite his efforts to keep himself in check. Everything in him was begging to turn her onto her back, press her down into the cushions and go with the feelings, to hell with the consequences. But his brain won over his body, his hands grasping her waist and pushing her away from him. “Jen … Jenny, stop. We really need to stop.”

“I know.” She let her forehead fall to his shoulder, her breathing just as ragged as his as she tried to regain control, cringing as words from the past began bouncing around in her memory. “I know. I’m not very good at this.” He felt her shake her head slightly, clearing her throat. “I’m sorry, Josh.”

“What?” His brow furrowed in confusion as he reached up for her, pushing against her shoulders until he could almost see her face. “You’re not very good at what?”

“This.” Her gaze briefly met his before lowering to stare at his chest, a blush seeping into her cheeks as the old insults resurfaced. “The … uh, 'hands on' stuff.”

“You’re joking, right?” Incredulity lifted his voice as he touched her chin, making her look at him. “Please tell me you’re not serious right now.”

“Well, at first I thought he was just mad because I wouldn’t have sex with him …”

Who was mad you wouldn’t have sex with him?” A hot fury burned through him, his voice sharpening. “Luke?” He growled when she nodded. “I really wish you’d have let me deck him. Just once.”

“It wasn’t just him, really. I tried dating a few other guys and apparently …” Insecurity flared in her eyes, dimming them just a little as he studied her. “Considering recent events, I think I’m finally realizing that it’s a popular opinion.”

“Jen …” Pain streaked through him at the thought of her with guys he hadn’t even known about, then his heart sank when he realized what she was telling him. “I’d never … if I made you feel that way, then I’m so sorry.” She leaned into him and he gathered her to his chest. “God, I’m sorry, Boof. I didn’t think … okay, here’s the deal.” He took a deep breath. “I really didn’t mean to start anything between us back in November. Not because I didn’t want to, but because I’m leaving, and I didn’t want to be unfair to you. Then you took me by surprise, and I couldn’t help myself.” Out of habit, he licked his lips, the faint flavor of cupcakes prompting a smile to enter his voice as he combed his fingers through her hair. “Once we were alone again, you have no idea how hard it was to not pick back up where we left off in that grocery store. Just … wow.”

“Huh?” She straightened up to look at him. “What do you mean?”

“Well, that’s how you put it.” With a quiet laugh, he leaned forward and kissed her cheek quickly. “You, Jennifer Lawson, are completely wow. At least, you are for me.” He cleared his throat. “And it’s not just when we’re 'hands on', either. It’s pretty much anytime I’m near you.” Tilting his head, he looked at her with a thoughtful expression. “Although, I don’t think we’ve ever really been 'hands off'. Have we? We’ve always been clingy and … well, touchy with each other. It never crossed my mind to be anything else.” One eyebrow arched questioningly. “I’ve never thought twice about touching or holding you. Does … does that bother you?”

“No, of course not.”

“And when I kissed you in November, did it weird you out?”

“Did it seem like I was weirded out?” She shook her head, staring at him. “I’m pretty sure my kissing you back showed I was more than fine with it. Even though …” Her nose wrinkled slightly as she felt the blush starting to deepen. “Tonight was a little more than just wow.”

“Yeah, that was intense. That’s why I had to stop.” He leaned his forehead against hers, smiling softly. “I know part of it was because you’re upset about tomorrow, but … you know, I’m a guy and I’m going to respond like one. You were getting dangerously close to the Point of No Return, Boof. I’d say you’re pretty fantastic at the 'hands on' stuff. Especially with me.” His smile became a grin when she groaned in embarrassment. “But that’s not somewhere we need to go.”

“Right.” Her voice was uncertain as she pulled away from him. “Because we’re just friends.”

“That’s not what I was trying to say. How we react to each other should prove it’s not true, anyway. But we’re not even dating, so taking us and jumping all the way to that step in one night … you would’ve totally regretted it, Jen. There’s so much that should happen before that. If it had gone any further tonight, we wouldn’t have even made it to my bedroom, and you deserve much better than a quickie on your living room couch. It would’ve changed everything between us, at ludicrous speed.” His brow arched as he referenced the movie they were supposed to be watching. “We’re nowhere near ready for that. Not like this. And definitely not right now.”

“It’s okay, Josh. I understand.”

“Do you?” A sigh lifted his shoulders. “The timing on this is just horrible. In twenty-four hours, I’m gonna be on a different continent and there’s no telling when I’m gonna be home again. I’ve been fighting with myself for months over how I feel about you and … and I really don’t know what to do.” One of his hands came up to her face as his gaze met hers. “I know what I want to do …”

“What’s that?”

“I want to kiss you senseless and beg you to wait for me until it works out so we can try for something more.”

“Seems reasonable.” Do it. Kiss me, beg me. Please. Make me forget I was ever the worst thing that could’ve happened. She covered his hand with her own, her expression not giving away her inner dialogue. “So why don’t you?”

“Because it’s the most selfish thing I could ever do, and it’s totally unfair to you.” A touch of sadness entered his tone. “How could I ask you to waste years of your life waiting for me when Mr. Right might be walking across campus with you next week? I want that for you. For you to have someone who can be here for you, hold your hand and laugh with you.”

“I want that for you, too.” The lie passed over her lips easily, and she swallowed hard as a sick feeling settled in her stomach at the thought of him with someone else, yet again. “What if your Meant to Be is in Sweden or Germany right now, waiting for you to get there and sweep her off her feet? How unfair would it be if you missed out on her just because you were wasting time thinking about me?” Pain shot through her and she fought back fresh tears as she began to consider that – despite his words indicating the contrary – he was probably trying to let her down easy. Again. “Please don’t waste your energy on me when there could be something amazing out there for you.”

“Jenny …” His eyes narrowed as he studied her carefully. “Time and energy spent on you would never be wasted.”

“And years spent waiting for you wouldn’t be, either.”

“Point taken.” Shaking his head, he pulled her back into his chest. “I’ve got this awful feeling that I’m about to leave something really amazing behind, and no matter what I do, it’s gonna hurt. I don’t want to hurt you, Boof, but I’m afraid we’re not going to be able to avoid it.”

“I’ll be okay. I promise.” She sighed against him, determined to do whatever it took to keep him happy. “So, what do we do?”

“Well, I …” He paused, his brain skipping, desperately searching for the right thing to say. “Okay, so I think there’s potentially something else here. What do you think?”

“Agreed.” Her voice was muffled in his shirt, but he felt her nod. “Obviously.”

“But we have literally no time to see where it could go. I have no choice but to leave tomorrow and you’ve got to stay here for school. I don’t want you to miss out on anything …”

“And you shouldn’t miss out, either.”

“Sure.” A lump formed in his throat when he realized where things were going, and he tried his best to talk around it. “So how about we do like we did when I was here for the show and you were back in Bowie? We won’t be waiting on each other, but we’re going to be in contact as much as possible. I won’t be home as much, but I promise to try to split my time between Bowie and here whenever I can, or you can meet me there for a visit. Whenever we’re together, I want it to be as if I never left. And if things change for either one of us, then we just let the other know. But until that happens, please don’t hold it against me if I need to kiss you every now and again.”

“All right.” It sounded perfectly terrible, but she was grasping for whatever she could get. “We just keep on keeping on, huh?”

“Right.” His hands came back to her face, moving her so that he could meet her eyes. “And if a time comes where I’m back in the States to stay, or if you graduate and decide Europe is for you … if neither of us is attached and we still want to try, then we need to say so.” A small smile lifted his features as his thumbs brushed over her cheeks. “No matter what happens, you’re always going to be the person in my life. You’ll always be my girl. Someday, I’d love to have a chance at something amazing with you, Jen. I want to be able to take our time, enjoy each other and – if it feels right – maybe even work our way back to where we were headed tonight. But for now, the timing just doesn’t fit.”

“I understand.” Another pang shot through her, and she suddenly wondered if there would ever be a time when her heart wasn’t breaking over him. One tear trailed down her face, only stopping when it hit his fingers, and she allowed herself a brief, useless fantasy of an ending where he made his way back around to her. “Is it pathetic of me to wish that someday would hurry up and get here?”

“I hope not, because we’re in the same boat.” Leaning forward, he pressed a kiss to her forehead. “Are you all right?”

“Not really, but I’ll get there.” Her fingers ruffled his hair as she backed out of his arms, trying to give him a convincing smile as she moved over to the cushions she’d vacated earlier. “I’ll be fine, Josh. I just need some time.” I have to get over you all over again.

“Okay.” He glanced at the TV, laughing when he saw the last of the end credits scrolling across the screen. “So much for watching a movie.” His brow arched and he looked her direction. “Wanna try again?”

“Yeah. I promise not to cry all over you this time.” She cut her eyes over to him, biting back a smile as she set the video to rewind. “And I’ll do my best not to attack you again.”

“That part really wasn’t so bad, you know.” Winking at her, he reached over and took her hand, raising it to his lips. “You can attack me anytime, Boof.”

A snort preceded her laughter, the sound making him breathe easier around the knot in his chest as his gaze landed on the hand he still held. Once the movie was playing, she leaned against him as she always did, her hair falling down to tickle his arm, and he turned his hand, lacing his fingers through hers and giving a squeeze before letting them rest on his thigh. For one desperate moment, he tried to memorize the feeling of their entwined hands, knowing he’d just forfeited his chance to lay an immediate claim on this wonderful, precious, beautiful girl … and trying to get around the ugly feeling that he was making a major mistake.

******************************

“Norwegian Air flight D3584 to Copenhagen will begin boarding at Gate 16C in twenty minutes. Norwegian Air flight D3584 to Copenhagen will begin boarding at Gate 16C in twenty minutes. First class passengers please be preparing for the pre-boarding pass check.”

“That’s you guys.” Jen looked over at JC with a smile before moving to get up. “I’m gonna get hugs in before things get crazy. Be right back.” She made her way to the pair closest to the boarding area, laughing quietly as she watched Diane dig frantically through her carry-on bag for something, nodding in agreement to whatever her son was saying.

“Hey, Girlie.” Lance grinned as she approached, draping an arm over her shoulders to pull her into his side. “It’s about that time, huh?”

“Yeah, I figured I should collect hugs while people were still kind of calm.”

“So you started with the least travelled of the bunch?” His brow arched teasingly. “Smart move.”

“I started with the one I thought might need more encouragement.” She laughed and turned into him, looping her arms around his waist. “You know you’re awesome, right?”

“Before I came here, I’d probably have argued with you, but I think I’m getting there.” He tightened his hold on her, leaning down to speak softly in her ear. “I was about to quit, you know.”

“No, you weren’t.” Pulling back, her gaze darted over to see Diane nodding, then returned to him, studying his grave features. “Seriously? Why?”

“Because I wasn’t cutting it and I knew it. Half my bags were packed the night before you came to the warehouse. I’d already talked to Mom and we were going to give it a few more days, then book a flight back home if the next rehearsals didn’t go better.” His expression lightened with a small smile. “And then you swept in like some tiny Wonder Woman, tossed us into your basement with a few of your school buddies and things just magically clicked.”

“There wasn’t anything magical about it. You worked your butt off those first few months and you know it. You just needed a little extra help. Everybody does sometimes.” Her eyes narrowed at him and she poked his shoulder. “They need you, Mississippi. It wouldn’t be the same without you. And don’t you ever forget it.”

“I won’t.” He hugged her close again. “I’ve found a family here, and I’m so glad you’re part of it, Jenny.”

“Lance …” She found herself fighting back tears, trying to swallow around the lump in her throat. “Ugh, Josh is going to kill you if you make me cry.” As if he hasn’t made me cry enough. A quiet laugh escaped into his chest and she took a deep breath, leaning her cheek against him as she turned to face Diane. “Thank you both again for the print. It’ll look great in my rehearsal area.”

“I was happy with how it turned out.” Diane smiled, reaching out to place a hand on Jen’s arm. “We meant to have it for you at Christmas, but the framing took longer than expected. I wanted it to be perfect.”

“It is. I kind of feel bad about trying to get out of it.” The group photo from after their Pleasure Island showcase had turned out beautifully, and Diane had selected a gorgeous walnut framing that accented the coloring perfectly. “Thank you so much.”

“After all you’ve done for not just Lance, but for all of them, it was the least we could do.” The older woman held out a white envelope toward her. “I forgot about these when we stopped by yesterday. It’s just a few other photos I found while I was packing up last week, but I thought you’d like to have them.”

“Awesome.” She took the envelope with a grateful nod. “Thank you.” Reaching up, she ruffled Lance’s hair and smiled. “Take care of yourselves over there, okay?”

“We will. You, too, Girlie.” He leaned down to kiss her cheek. “We’ll keep in touch.”

“You’d better. I want to hear all about it.” Her hand squeezed Diane’s as she began to move away, sliding the photos into her back pocket. “See you later.”

“See you later, Jenny.”

Jen had to steady herself as she walked over to the next pair, Justin already bouncing with a grin as she approached.

“Come here, Shorty.” He didn’t wait for her, just grabbed her up in his arms and swung her around, pressing a quick kiss to the side of her head. “You doing okay?”

“Yeah, I’m all right.” She laughed, hugging his neck tightly. “Just wondering what I’m going to do without you and Joe trying to destroy my house on a daily basis, that’s all.”

“Aww, that’s so sweet.” His voice dripped with sarcasm. “I’ll miss you, too, Jenny.”

“You’re just saying that because you’re going to miss my fried chicken and spaghetti with meatballs, right?”

“Don’t remind me. You’ll get me crying and I’ll lose my man card before we even get on the plane.”

“I think you got a head start on that when you got yourself pierced.” A grin lit her features as she flipped at one of the sparkling studs. “What man wears diamonds in his ears?”

“Lots of us do, if you haven’t noticed.” He leaned down with a laugh, letting her feet hit the floor but refusing to let her back away. “I really will miss you, Jen.”

“And I’ll really miss you, too, kid.”

“I meant what I said yesterday.” Straightening up, he tightened his hands on her shoulders. “I might’ve had a crush on you to start with, but you’re the closest thing to a big sister I’ve ever had. If you need me to beat somebody down, just say so. I’ll be on the next flight home.” His eyes cut over toward where JC was sitting. “Or, you know, if I need to knock some sense into anyone in my corner of the world, I can do that, too.”

“Thanks, J. I’ll keep that in mind.” She sighed and glanced over at Lynn, who was shaking her head and rolling her eyes at her oversized son. “Don’t drive your mother crazy over there, okay? Behave yourself.”

“But it’s so hard.” The fake whine trailed off into a cough, and he squeezed her into one more hug, not noticing the look of appreciation Lynn sent toward Jen. “I’ll be a perfect angel, I promise.” He shook his head when neither of the women could hold back their laughter. “Yeah. Anyway, keep us posted, okay? We want to know all about what’s going on with you.”

“I will. I promise.” She went on her toes and still had to pull him down so she could kiss his cheek. “Later, little bro.”

“Later, Shorty.”

******************************

“You think she’s doing okay?”

JC jumped, startled, as Chris plopped down in the seat Jen had vacated a few minutes prior. “I guess so. She looked like she was getting a little teary with Lance, but she seems to be fine now.”

“Well, she’s about to get to Joey’s bunch … just look at them. I think they have an unwritten rule against sadness or something.” A dark brow rose as he glanced back at JC. “As long as you guys worked everything out last night, then it’s all good.”

“Yeah, we did.” He smiled as he watched Joey dancing with her, spinning her until she landed in his father’s arms, laughing.

“I’ll say you did.”

“Huh?” Blue eyes narrowed, focusing on his friend. “What do you mean?”

“Really?” Chris laughed. “Dude, you guys were so into it, you didn’t even hear me walking through the room.” A devilish grin lit his features. “I passed right in front of her. If she hadn’t been so focused on you, she could’ve reached out and touched me.” He shook his head. “I’ve never considered Spaceballs to be a make-out worthy flick, but maybe I’ll have to try it.”

“Chris …” JC groaned, covering his face with his hands. “That was before we talked.”

“You’re kidding.”

“No. She was upset and crying, then she started to calm down and noticed I still wear the necklace she got me when I turned sixteen …”

“Ahh. I’ve been wondering about that. Mystery solved.”

“Okay.” A confused look crossed JC’s face, but he shook it away to continue. “Anyway, one thing led to another and the next thing I know, I’m having to keep her from taking it too far.”

“Damn, Jace.”

“I know.” He groaned. “Hell, if I hadn’t pushed her away when I did, we would’ve ruined everything without thinking twice.”

“But you stopped it and you talked it out.” Chris put a hand on his shoulder. “That’s good, C. Did we end up with a happy ending?”

“Not really.” JC sighed, then smiled when he saw her giving Joey another hug and a kiss on the cheek. “I told her everything: that I thought there could be more between us, how I didn’t want to hurt her and I really didn’t know what to do about it.”

“And?”

“She said basically the same thing.” He swallowed hard as she turned away from the Fatones, walking slowly toward them. “We both think there could be something more, but neither of us wants the other to miss out on anything, either. We’re not waiting on each other, but someday, if the timing is right, we’ll give it a shot.”

“Seriously?” Chris stared at him as if he’d grown another head. “After all that, you guys are just leaving it at 'maybe someday'? What the hell are you doing?”

“I have no idea, man. I literally have no damn idea what I’m doing.” He ran a hand through his hair in frustration. “Probably screwing the entire thing up.”

“Jace, you love the girl. Lock her down. Right now. Be honest with her.” Concerned dark eyes jumped back and forth between JC and the quickly approaching Jen. “If you don’t, you’re basically telling her to find somebody else. And she will, no doubt. I’ve seen Brian’s crew around her, and Joey’s brother isn’t exactly keeping it quiet, either. They’re just waiting for you to be out of the picture.”

“We have an agreement, Chris. I can’t go back on it now.” He pasted a smile on his face as she came close, still giggling quietly over something. “Hey, Boof. You all right?”

“Joey gifted me with the Fatone Family Hedge of Protection, whatever that’s supposed to mean.” She shook her head in bewilderment. “It kind of feels like I just got served with a protective order by the mob or something.”

“Well, they are from Brooklyn, you know.” With a laugh, Chris stood up and moved toward her. “My turn, Gracie. What’ve you got for me?”

“All I’ve got are hugs today, Spazz.” A smile softened her features as he pulled her to him. “Will that be enough?”

“That’s plenty.” His lips moved against her hair before he kissed the top of her head. “You’ll be okay, right, Jenny?”

“Yeah, I’ll be fine. The spring semester’s starting up in the next few weeks, and I’ll be busy with classes and stuff. And Mom said she might be coming down to escape the snow up north, so I’ll have all kinds of distractions.” She leaned back to look at him. “Just drop a line every now and again so I know you’re still alive, okay?”

“Sure thing. Same to you.” He squeezed her tightly. “And if you figure out that file share thing, be sure to use it. You might have missed out on Song of the Year at the Grammys this year, but it still got two artist nominations. I’ll bet you’re a real contender for next year, and I want to be one of the first to hear it.”

“Yeah, I’ll get with Brian and see if he can’t help me out with that.” Her brow furrowed. “Or maybe Adam already knows how to use it. Whatever, we’ll work it out.” A quick glance over his shoulder gave her a brief glimpse of JC, checking his watch and the departure board on the wall, and she leaned in closer to Chris. “Take care of him for me. Please?”

“Of course. He’s in good hands, Gracie. We’ll do right by him.”

“I know, but …”

“But it still hurts that he’s going to be so far out of reach. I get it.” He took in her slightly distressed expression. “You’re going to wait for him, aren’t you?”

“I want to, but if that’s not what he wants, then I don’t see any reason to.” She gave an almost silent laugh. “He has a valid point about not wanting me to miss out on anything. I want that for him, too, even if a big part of me wonders if he isn’t just trying to let me down easy again.” Her eyes trailed over his shoulder once more, completely missing the alertly confused look on Chris’ face as she took in another view of JC’s profile. “I love him, but what if all the best things for him are waiting over in Europe?”

“There may be some opportunities there for him, but he’s never going to find anyone better than you, just like you’re not going to be able to find anyone else who lights up your world the way he does.” Hugging her again, he turned her slightly away. “Please don’t give up on him. He’s fighting against himself because he’s trying to do whatever’s best for you, no matter what he really wants. I still think it’s gonna work out, just maybe not today.”

“I hope you’re right, Chris. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.” For a moment, her focus landed on the hoops and studs in his ears, and she shook her head before leaning back. “Enough about my drama. Yours was the only duffel I could get to that had any extra room, so I snuck some treats in for everybody. They’re labeled, if you don’t mind sorting them out once you get settled over there.”

“Oh, man. Already spoiling us from a distance.” Grinning, he set her away from him. “I’ve got you covered, Jenny.” Leaning in to kiss her cheek, he lowered his voice. “Now, go give him a farewell that’ll make him think twice about walking away from you.”

“Yeah, right.” She gave a short laugh, reaching up to punch him on the shoulder. “Talk to you soon, Spazz.”

“You got it, kid.”

“Norwegian Air flight D3584 to Copenhagen will begin boarding at Gate 16C in ten minutes. Norwegian Air flight D3584 to Copenhagen will begin boarding at Gate 16C in ten minutes. First class passengers please appear for pass check. All other passengers be on standby for row announcements.”

“Hey.” JC put his hat on his head and stood as she approached him, studying her carefully. “We’ve only got a few minutes …”

“Yeah.” Stopping in front of him, her gaze traveled over his face. “Do me a favor?”

“Sure.” His brow arched questioningly.

“I know they’re going to restyle you and everything, but …” She tilted her head. “Do not let them pierce your ears.”

“Hey!” Chris’ voice carried to her, making her laugh at his affronted tone.

“It’s not personal, Chris.” JC laughed quietly and reached for her hand as she kept her focus on him, her smile lighting her eyes, her cheeks turning slightly pink. “It’s just … a preference.”

“No problem, Boof.” Leaning down, he grasped the strap of his duffel with his free hand, then straightened and hitched it over his shoulder, looking around for any place that could offer a little privacy. “No piercings, no tattoos. You know how I feel about painful, sharp things.”

“Yeah, I remember. I just wanted to be sure.” She followed him as he pulled her along toward a vacant corner not far from where Lance and Diane were waiting. Once there, he tucked her against the wall, dropping his bag to the ground. “What are you doing?”

“This is the quietest place that’s close …” Shaking his head, he looked her over again. “Are you sure you’ll be all right?”

“I’ll be fine.” Her hand came to rest on his arm. “Your dreams are coming true, Josh. Enjoy every minute. Soak up all the fabulous things that are heading your way and get rid of that worry. Okay?”

“I know, I know.” He pulled her close, taking a deep breath when her arms went around his waist. “I’m gonna miss you, Jenny.”

“You’re gonna be so busy, you won’t even notice I’m not there.”

“Not a chance.”

“Josh …” She anticipated his next move, reaching up to take off his hat so the brim wouldn’t hit her in the forehead as he lifted her off the ground, dropping it next to his bag before hugging him tightly around the neck, burying her face against him. “Please … please be careful. Please stay safe.” Her chest heaved in a shuddering breath when she felt him pressing kisses into her hair. “Take care of yourself, okay?”

“I will. But you have to do the same.” His chin rested against the side of her head as he squeezed her tighter, beginning to sway back and forth. “God, it’s killing me that I have to leave you here. Who’s gonna have your back while I’m gone? Who’ll make sure you keep yourself at the top of your priorities list? Who’ll keep you from running yourself into the ground?”

“Stop. It’s gonna drive me crazy, knowing that you’re worried about me all the time.” Hugged against him as she was, she felt the outline of his necklace through his shirt and pulled back just enough to see him, her fingers pressing the pendant into his skin. “I don’t want you to worry about me, but could you just … think of me?”

“Always.” His hand came up to cover hers. “I promise.”

“That’s going against our agreement.” Her mouth curved slightly as she reminded him, the sadness in her eyes sending a jolt of pain ripping through him. “I don’t need 'always', just an 'every now and then'.” She pressed her lips to the back of his hand. “Take a sight-seeing boat trip, go up in the SkyView, meet a producer, visit a museum, record a hit song … whenever something amazing happens, or you see something you never thought you would, think of me. Because I’ll never stop believing in you, or in all the fantastic things I know you’re gonna do.”

“My God, Jen.” He closed his eyes, letting his forehead rest against hers as he lowered her to the floor. “I know what we agreed to, but to hell with it. I’m seriously close to dragging you on that plane with me.”

“Not this time. Maybe …” She thought quickly, figuring out her planned class schedule as his eyes opened to meet hers. “Maybe next spring? I know it’s a year away, but if you’re still there, I’d like to come out.”

“Yes. Definitely. Just set a date and we’ll make it work.” His teeth worked over his bottom lip, his gaze moving slowly over her features. “We could take that boat trip together.”

“That’d be nice. And maybe …” Her words were cut off when his fingers slid into her hair, tipping her head back so he could press his lips to hers. Responding to him was almost second nature by now, her arms going around his waist as she matched his every movement, all fears of being his worst anything flying out the window. Yep. Screw the agreement. I’m totally waiting for you. She smiled against him as she made the decision, going on her toes to chase after him when he tried to pull away.

His hands came to cradle her face and she reached up to wrap her fingers around his wrists, holding him to her for a few more kisses before she let him back away completely. “Wow.” A rough sigh shook his chest as he hugged her closely, shaking his head at himself. “I can’t believe I thought I could … God, I’m an idiot.”

“At least you own up to it.” Her hand went to the back of his neck, pulling him down until she could kiss him again. “Just make sure you think about that whenever Gisele or Marta tries to make a move on you.” She laughed against him, her arms going back around his waist as she pressed her face into his shirt and took a deep breath. “Or, you know, every now and again, for the heck of it.”

“Count on it.” He laughed, holding her even tighter. “I’m about to be incredibly selfish, Jenny.”

“Thank God.” Her voice was muffled by the cotton across his chest, and she tilted her head to see him. “What’s wrong with being selfish?”

“With us being so far apart, things could still change. Mr. Right could show up with perfect words and flowers and sweep you off your feet. If he does, just let me know. I’ll understand.”

“My Mr. Right will come bearing stuffed animals. I’d rather have a teddy bear than flowers.” A soft sigh escaped. “And Marta could be your Meant to Be. If it turns out that way, it’ll be okay.” A slight grimace crossed her face. “At least, I’ll do my best to pretend it is until I get over it.”

“Yeah, sounds about right for me, too. But until then …” She felt him moving, then his voice was directly beside her ear. “I still don’t think we should call it dating, because we’re really not going to see each other much, but everything in me wants to wait for you. So, wait for me, Boof. Please?”

“Yes.” Her arms tightened around him. “That’s all I wanted.”

“Thank God.” The knot in his chest suddenly released, allowing him to breathe deeply for the first time in what felt like weeks. “It might be a few years …”

“You’re worth it.” Turning slightly, she raised her chin to kiss him, almost crying in relief at the whisper of joy that fluttered in her heart when he responded. “Months, years … I don’t care how long. You’ll always be worth it.” He felt her smile before her lips caught his again. “And unless you give me a reason that I shouldn’t, please don’t hold it against me if I need to kiss you every time I see you.”

“Oh, I won’t.” His chest shook with quiet laughter at her rephrasing of his words. “And that goes both ways, you know.”

“It’d better.”

“Norwegian Air flight D3584 to Copenhagen is currently boarding first class passengers at Gate 16C. First class passengers please appear for boarding. Row announcements for all other passengers will begin momentarily.”

“Okay, you’re up next.” Putting a little space between them, she looked up at him. “There’s a gift for you in your bag. It might make the flight a little easier.”

“Thanks.” He pressed his lips to her forehead, smiling against her skin. “I left something for you on my bed. I hope it makes you think of me.”

“Always.” She repeated his promise from earlier, huddling as closely to his chest as she could and allowing herself just a brief moment of total honesty. “I love you, you know.”

“Yeah, I know.” His fingers clutched the fabric of her shirt, then he wrapped his arms tightly around her and leaned down until his cheek rested against her hair. “I love you, too, Jenny.”

Pressing her face into him, she took in a deep breath of his scent. Even though she knew he didn’t mean the words to the same extent as she, they were healing all the same. She knew he had no clue what a balm they were to her injured spirit, had no idea how they repaired the small pieces of her that had been chipped away each time she’d found herself lacking, unworthy of him. Hope sprang up in her chest, just slightly stronger than the flutter of joy from a few moments ago, and she thought that maybe she could feel a bit of the spark she’d lost so long ago trying to sputter back to life.

“Norwegian Air flight D3584 to Copenhagen is currently boarding passengers seated in rows A through G at Gate 16C. All passengers please appear for boarding.”

And now she had to let him go.

“That’s you.” Stepping away from him, she bent down to retrieve his hat, then reached up to put it on his head. “E-mail or call whenever you get a chance, okay?”

“I will.” He lifted his bag, adjusting the strap over his shoulder and checking that his boarding pass was in the side pocket before bringing his hand to her face. “It might be nice to have a message waiting when I get there.”

“I think I can do that.” She smiled, turning her cheek into his palm. “Talk to you soon?”

“Not soon enough.” Leaning down, he gave her one last kiss. As he backed away, he let his thumb stroke her skin, then felt himself freeze at the realization that he hadn’t seen the happy spark now lighting her eyes in a long time. Studying her carefully, he tried to remember when he’d seen it last. Yes, she’d been content, and he’d thought she’d been happy, but it just now became clear that the fire he’d loved about her since they were kids had been missing. When had she lost it? And why? What had happened to dim the spirit she’d always had about her?

And – looking at her now – he suddenly knew that whatever had chased it away, she’d needed him to bring it back. He fought against a grin as he thought about the gifts he’d left for her, knowing how perfect they were, hoping she’d be able to see what he’d been trying to tell her. Tugging her close, he hugged her tightly, breathing in the familiar scent of her shampoo, wondering if she could feel the quick pace of his pulse in his chest.

“Hey, Jace! Let’s go, man!”

Justin’s voice carried from the boarding line, and JC glanced over to see the rest of the guys already waiting, boarding passes ready to hand to the agent. Lowering his voice, he bent until only she could hear him. “I can’t just stay here with you, can I?”

“Nope. I wish you could, but ...” She leaned into him, squeezing him in a quick hug. “You’ve got people depending on you. And your dreams are waiting.”

But half of my dreams are right here. Groaning quietly, he let his lips graze her forehead before stepping away from her. “Okay, I’m going. I’ll see you later, Boof.”

“Go make me proud.” The way she was looking at him made his heart stutter, her smile sending a warm wave through him. “Have a safe flight, Josh.”

He could feel her eyes on him as he made his way toward the line at the counter, stepping into place behind Chris, who was sporting a rather pleased expression. With a sigh, JC pulled his pass from his bag and shifted his stance. “Not now, Chris. Please?”

“I wasn’t going to say a word, C. I think the smile you just put on Gracie’s face says it all.” Dark eyes flashed with his grin. “Happy looks good on her, man.”

“The terms of our agreement have changed.” He arched one brow, waiting for the other shoe to drop. “And?”

“And if you don’t want Joe and J making your life hell for the next sixteen hours, you might want to get that shine off your mouth.” Chris laughed under his breath, reaching out to take his pass from the agent at the counter. “Just a suggestion.”

“Right.” Automatically, he ran the tip of his tongue across his lips, groaning slightly when he tasted chocolate. Handing over his boarding pass, he glanced quickly back across the waiting area, his gaze clashing with hers as he licked his lips again. She only grinned sweetly, then laughed and waved before sending him an exaggerated wink. With a laugh of his own, he shook his head and retrieved the paperwork being held out to him, waving back at her before turning and following Chris down the hallway to board the plane, knowing full well that he was leaving his heart behind.

End Notes:

I know I've been out of the loop for a while, but are reviews still a thing?  If so, hit me up.  Feedback is a great thing!  :-)

Chapter Fourteen by Renee

January 22, 1996

“Hey, Maggie?” Jen made her way through the living room, glancing up at the redhead’s bedroom door and finding it open, the room dark. “Mags? You still here?”

Suddenly, she heard music from the basement, the orchestration muffled through the floor, and walked to the door in the hallway. Pulling it open, she paused as the sound of Maggie’s voice carried up to her, clear and emotional over the track resounding through the studio.

Then I was young and unafraid
And dreams were made and used and wasted
There was no ransom to be paid
No song unsung, no wine untasted


As Maggie allowed her voice to swell with the arrangement, Jen moved down the stairs, stopping only when she could sit and watch her performing to the mirror, somehow managing to both remember the lyrics and study how her movements could accent the interpretation of the song. Whenever a hand gesture or a head position didn’t seem to work, her brow would furrow and she would adjust, seeming to make a mental note of how to improve the delivery for the next run through. The music came to an end and she gave a nod to the mirror before turning to move toward the sound system.

“Wow, Mags. That was awesome.” Jen stood and came down the rest of the stairs, grinning as her friend plopped down on the couch, pressing buttons on the remote lying on the armrest, sending the discs in the player to spinning. “Is that for one of your classes?”

“No, I’m auditioning for a show the Orlando Orchestra is putting together with my Theatre Players group. Les Miserables.” Maggie let her fingers comb through her hair as she smiled. “The rehearsals are all semester with performances in April, so if I can get a part, I’ll be able to get the director to sign off for it and it’ll count as a performance elective without actually having to take a class.”

“Really?” Jen tilted her head. “Well, if that’s what you’re auditioning with, I don’t see how they’d turn you down.”

“Thanks. We put on a small-scale version of it in high school and I played Cosette.” A grimace settled over the redhead’s features. “I don’t have that range anymore, so I thought I’d try for Fantine, Cosette’s mother.” Laughing quietly, she shrugged. “She dies in the first act, but her part is fabulous, even if I’ll have to dye my hair. No redheads in this show.” Glancing over at Jen, an idea began to form, and she picked up the remote again, skipping forward on the disc. “You know what? Listen to this.”

Both girls sat back as the song she’d selected reverberated through the room. A few lines in, Jen found herself closing her eyes, losing herself in the orchestration and lyrics, beginning to hum along as she became familiar with the melody. “This sounds different. Would it be one of your songs?”

“No, this belongs to Eponine in the second act.”

“It’s beautiful.” Taking a deep breath, Jen twisted sideways on the couch and relaxed into the cushions. “Play it again.”

“Here.” Reaching down, Maggie picked up a score book from the floor. “It’s on page fifty-two. Try a dry run.”

“Okay.” A dark brow arched questioningly as she flipped the pages, catching up quickly with the recording and following along with the sheet music. She made it through the number fairly easily, her brow furrowing whenever she had to search for the right note. “Well, I guess that wasn’t too bad. You know, for a sight read.”

“Not too bad? Girl, I’ve heard rehearsed professionals who didn’t perform it that well.” Green eyes sparked with enthusiasm. “You should come audition with me on Friday.”

“Oh, Mags, I don’t know.” Jen was already shaking her head, fear flashing in her eyes. “I’m not ready for something like that yet …”

“You need to get past your stage fright if you want to be ready for that senior showcase you’re so worried about.” Her shoulder nudged Jen’s in encouragement. “It’s just one audition. One song to learn. You’re the queen of lyrics, so you’ll memorize it in no time, and I’ll help you with the delivery.” A smile brightened Maggie’s features. “You’re almost there already, Jenny. Just a little work and we’ll have you show ready.”

“You think so?” Interest sparked in Jen’s expression. “I’m a total novice at this, you know. I’ve never been on stage unless it was to play in an instrumental ensemble.”

“Seriously, let’s get you up for an audition. It’s a huge group of performers, so the chances that either of us will get a part is kind of slim, but at least it’ll get your feet wet.” Maggie bounced in excitement. “Auditions are in a full theatre and they keep the lighting set up as if a show is running. You won’t even be able to see the director and staff. And this is a community group that’s not connected to the school. Adam is helping with the sets and plans to audition, and there’s a few other students involved, but I don’t think you’d know any of them. They’ll audition each part individually, so I promise I’ll stick with you in the wings for support.”

“Well …” Jen let her teeth work over her bottom lip as she read over the sheet music again. “Is it a large part?”

“Not really. Eponine doesn’t show up until toward the end of Act One and she dies around the middle of Act Two. She has some supporting and background vocals, the one solo song and then a duet with one of the male leads as she dies.”

Both of these characters die?”

“Yeah, it’s not really an overly happy musical. The title translates to 'The Miserable Ones'. Or something like that.”

“Wow.” With a quick laugh, she let her fingers flip through the book. “Where’s the duet? Let’s hear it.”

“It’s on page seventy-eight.” Maggie skipped ahead on the disc. “Eponine is dying after being shot and she’s made it back to Marius just in time.”

“I love the orchestration.” Jen glanced up quickly. “The music is fabulous.”

“The Orchestra has been working on it for about six weeks and they’re ready to begin full rehearsals. The crew has been building sets about that long, so we’re finally to the point where casting can begin.” Reaching out, Maggie’s hand gripped Jen’s arm. “Do this with me. Please?”

“I …” Brown eyes met green, and she sighed, feeling herself caving. “Okay. Let’s get to work.”

*********************

Hey guys,

So, Jen’s audition is today and she just walked into her office with the sleeve of that plaid shirt she’s always wearing wadded up in her hand, looking totally wigged out. I went to the laundry room and found the rest of it in pieces on top of the dryer.

What gives? Is this like a make-or-break thing for her?

If anybody gets this in the next few minutes, give me a call.

- Mags


“God, Girlie.” Lance’s eyes widened as he read over the message that had just popped up in his inbox. At the sound of footsteps in the hallway, he leaned back in his chair to see Justin headed for the stairs. “Hey, J. Where’s Jace?”

“I think he’s already downstairs. We’re supposed to be out of here in fifteen minutes.” Justin glanced down at his watch. “Make that ten. Get a move on, Bass.”

“Yeah, I’m coming.” Leaving the computer powered up, he grabbed his jacket from the bed and jogged down the hallway, then bounded down the stairs, passing up his younger friend.

“Dude, what’s your deal?”

“Jace needs to call Maggie before we leave.”

“What? Why?”

“Hey, C …” As the two made their way into the living room, Lance spoke quickly. “Jen’s audition is today and that flannel shirt of hers just went to pieces in the dryer. Call Maggie.”

“Damn.” JC shook his head as he moved into the kitchen and picked up the phone, his thumb flying over the numbers. “She must be freaking out.”

“Hey.” Before it could ring twice, Maggie’s voice came over the line. “Please tell me this is a pop star wannabe who’s got the answers to fixing my friend.”

“Well, I think I might.” His voice shook with laughter. “Is she there?”

“Yeah. Hang on.” A light thumping sound was in the background as she skipped down the stairs, then came the rapping of knuckles knocking on a door. “Hey, Jen? Jace is on the phone.”

“What?” Jen’s voice was muffled at first, then more clear as the phone changed hands. “Josh?”

“Hey, Boof. How’re you doing?”

“Well, I … uh …”

“It finally fell apart, didn’t it?”

“Y-yeah.” Her voice was puzzled, and he could picture her shaking her head. “How did you …”

“I’ve only got a few minutes, so let’s fix it.” He interrupted with a smile, leaning against the wall beside the phone base. “Go to my room, okay?”

“Okay.” She still sounded confused, but he could hear her moving. “Why?”

“Because I noticed the fraying on that shirt last year and knew this would happen.” He heard her opening a door. “Are you there?”

“Yeah.” A deep breath carried over the line. “Now what?”

“Go to the dresser and open the third drawer.”

“The third drawer?”

“Yep.” The drawer scraped as she pulled it open. “Take your pick. I thought you’d probably like the purple one, but green would look good, too. Or you know my favorite color on you is blue.”

“Josh …” She laughed and he could imagine her reaching into the drawer, her fingers testing the softness of the variety of flannel shirts. “Did you actually wear these?”

“I had to have something when I gave you that other one, so I bought new after I got moved for the Club. They were shorter than I like to wear after that last growth spurt and Mom had them in a stack for Goodwill, but I rescued a few for you. I’m pretty sure they’re worn out enough to be as comfortable as that old one.”

“You’re the best, you know.”

“Just watching out for my girl.” He glanced at the clock on the wall. “We’re meeting a new choreographer in twenty minutes, so we need to get on the road.” Clearing his throat, he lowered his voice. “Are you wearing your necklace?”

“Uh huh.” She reached up toward her neck, her fingers playing with the silver-plated heart engraved with a J, one of the gifts he’d left for her to find after seeing him off a few weeks ago. “Every day.”

“Good.” A smile lifted his tone. “You’re going to be amazing today, Jenny. Wear your new shirt, keep that necklace on and put on your bracelet. It’ll be like I’m right there with you. Just let me know how it goes. Okay?”

“I will.” Her sigh carried to him and his heart skipped a beat. “Thank you so much.”

“No problem.”

“Yo, Jace! Get a move on!” Joey’s voice boomed from the living room. “Tell Hot Stuff good luck from all of us and let’s hit it!”

“I guess you heard that.” He laughed quietly. “I’ve gotta go. Have a good day and I’ll talk to you later.”

“Tell the Funky Bunch hi for me. And have fun dancing tonight.” The grin was obvious in her tone. “Talk to you later.”

*********************

“I don’t sound anything like that.” She gripped Maggie’s hand as they stood in the stage right wing, shaking her head as the girl on stage worked her way through the required audition piece in a fashion almost identical to the previous ten girls. “And I definitely don’t look like that. There’s no way I’m getting this part.”

“Don’t count yourself out, Jen. You’re fantastic. You just need to have the confidence to show everyone else.” Maggie smiled, stepping closer to give her a supportive hug. “You’ve got this. Just pretend we’re back in the studio and you’re staring at yourself in the mirror with Brian and Adam making those faces at you.” Both girls laughed quietly. “Okay, she’s finishing up. Deep breaths.”

“Here we go.” Taking a cleansing breath, Jen closed her eyes, letting it out slowly as she listened to the music ending, the seemingly obligatory polite smattering of applause echoing in the backstage area. “I can do this.”

“Of course you can.” Reaching into her pocket, Maggie pulled out a scrap of the ruined shirt from that morning. “I know Jace gave you a new shirt, but this might help, too. Give me your arm.” Very quickly, she tied the strip around Jen’s wrist, then pulled down the sleeve of the purple shirt to hide it. “There, it’s like he’s all around you, isn’t it?”

“Yeah, he is …”

“Thank you, Emily. Next Eponine, please!”

“That’s you. I’ll be on the other side when you’re done, just exit the stage straight across from where we are now and you won’t be able to miss me. Go knock ’em dead, girl.” An excited grin lit the redhead’s face. “Do yourself proud.”

With another deep breath, Jen straightened her shoulders and walked out to center stage, blinking in the bright lights and sighing in relief when she realized that it was impossible to see anything past the front of the stage. Clearing her throat, she nodded toward the center of the room and stated her name as the others before her had done. “Jen Lawson.”

A moment later, she closed her eyes as the music began, centering herself into the character that Maggie had been introducing her to for the last four days. As she opened her mouth and began to sing, she lost herself in Eponine – the lonely girl who hid behind a brave attitude, willing to do anything for the friend who had her heart, only to have him fall in love with her polar opposite. Her eyes came open, focusing on the darkness before her as she told the story, relaying the thoughts of the poor thieves’ daughter, pouring out her heart to the man she loved while walking alone through a rainy Paris night to deliver a note to the girl who’d stolen his affections.

As if on autopilot, she moved around in the area lit by the stage lights, allowing her body language and expressions to give life to the piece. Her head tilted back and her hands clasped to her chest as she came to the heartbreaking crescendo and she could almost feel the energy draining out of her, a tear rolling down her cheek as she finished with the quiet admission of one-sided love, the music fading away as the orchestration came to a close.

For a moment, there was nothing but silence, and she blinked in surprise that it was already over, reaching up to wipe the tear away. Looking from side to side, she tried desperately to remember which way she was supposed to exit, relief crashing over her when she caught a quick glimpse of red hair in the left wing. Before she could take the first step toward the safety of her friend, thunderous applause filled the auditorium, the tidal wave of noise freezing her where she stood. Wide brown eyes searched the rows of seats behind the lights, whistles and cheers cutting through the darkness toward her.

“Jenny!” Maggie’s voice came through the racket. “Take a bow!”

She obeyed, bending slightly at the waist and giving a nod to the not-so-empty auditorium, just barely able to hear the director’s dismissal over the din. A smile was forming as she left the stage, the noise still echoing through the building. Once safely behind the curtain, she grasped Maggie’s hands and began bouncing up and down with giddy laughter. “I did it! I did it!

“Come on, let’s get out of the way.” Shaking her head with a smile, Maggie pulled Jen further away from the stage, beginning to laugh herself when she saw the childish glee on her friend’s face. “Jen, do you hear that? They love you. You’re amazing.” Green eyes glanced back toward the stage, where the next singer was taking her place, looking their direction with a nod and a thumbs up before turning to face the auditorium, shrugging as she gave her name. “I think you just set the bar, girl.”

As the music began again, a door opened next to where they stood and Adam came through, a bright grin on his face when he found them. “Jen, that was awesome!” His arms went around her in a tight hug. “You even had the guy next to me crying. If you aren’t our Eponine, then somebody’s paid off the director.”

“I-I … wow.” Jen smiled against him as her brain still tried to process what had just happened. He released her and she stepped away, her fingers playing with the fabric tied around her wrist. “All I wanted was to prove to myself that I could get through one song on a stage without losing it. If I actually got the part …”

“We’ll cross that bridge when we get to it. Right now, I think we need to celebrate the little victories.” Maggie turned to Adam. “What do you think? Can we tear Brian and Nick away from the studio to go for some pizza?”

“Actually …” He glanced down at his watch. “I think they should be home by now. I’ll run to the office and call to see if they’ll meet us. Gino’s?”

“Ooh, breadsticks. Yeah, definitely Gino’s.”

“Okay. Be right back.”

After he left, Maggie turned her focus back to Jen, who was still staring at the strip of fabric, her brow furrowing. “Jen? Are you okay?”

“I wish he was here, Mags.” Jen’s voice was quiet as she pulled the purple shirt tighter across her body. “I just … I just really wish he was here right now.”

“I know.” Maggie hugged her, trying not to get choked up at her friend’s faint sniffles. “And I know that he’d much rather be here than where he is.”

“Well, I don’t know if I’d go that far.” A watery laugh escaped as Jen’s arms came around to return the hug. “I’m just missing him. More than I thought I would.”

“Send him an e-mail tonight and tell him all about this. He’ll be so proud of you.”

“Yeah, I will.” Jen stepped away, shaking her head as she wiped away her tears. “Look at me. This was so awesome and here I am crying because I’m missing some guy. Mom would be smacking the back of my head.”

“He’s not just some guy, Jen. He’s your guy.” A red eyebrow arched as Jen opened her mouth. “Don’t bother denying it. You two complete each other and if he’s got any sense in that head of his, he’ll be coming home real soon.”

“They don’t know when they’ll be back. Maybe in the spring. April or May?”

“That would be perfect.” Maggie smiled and draped an arm over Jen’s shoulders. “Put a bug in his ear about getting back here in April. Then you get this part and your boys will make it home in time to see you being fabulous on stage.”

“There’s no guarantee of any of that, but it’d be really cool if they could be here, whether I get the part or not.” Letting out a long breath, Jen felt a smile forming again. “How many shows are there, anyway?”

“Every weekend after Easter. Friday and Saturday nights, matinees on Sundays except for the last weekend. It’s a Thursday night show for that week.”

“Wow. I guess that’d be a quick cure to my stage fright, huh?” A spark of excitement lit her eyes. “This was really fun, Mags. I loved getting to pretend to be someone else for a while.”

“Well, like Adam said, they’d be crazy not to cast you.” Maggie looked up when he came back through the doorway. “Hey. Were they home?”

“Yep. They’ll meet us there. Mark, too.” He sent an apologetic look in Jen’s direction. “Sorry. I know he gives you weird vibes, but he’d just walked in and they couldn’t not invite him.”

“It’s all right. Just make sure he’s not next to me, okay?” Jen bit her lip. “I’m sure he’s a perfectly nice guy, but there’s something about him that doesn’t sit right.”

“No problem. Maggie will be on one side, I’ll take the other and we’ll put Nick across from you.” His gaze bounced between the two girls. “Ready to go?”

“We rode together and we’re in the back lot, so we’ll see you there.”

“Sure.”

They split up on the sidewalk outside the back entrance to the theater and the girls chatted animatedly as they walked toward Jen’s Tracker. As they came close to the car, Jen’s eyes narrowed when she noticed something laying across her driver’s side windshield wiper. “What’s that?”

“It’s a rose.” Maggie smiled, coming up beside her as she picked it up. “Someone must’ve wanted to wish you good luck.”

“Who’d leave me a rose?” Brow furrowed, Jen twirled the flower in her fingers, searching for any clues. “I can’t think of anybody who'd leave me flowers. Maybe it's supposed to be for you. Did Brian know we were riding together?”

“Yeah, he knew, but I’m allergic to roses, so it wouldn’t be for me.” Maggie shrugged and moved around the car to open the passenger side door. “I guess you’re just becoming little Miss Popular, aren’t you?”

“Ugh, no. Unless being Miss Popular gets me free pizza. Then I’m all in. Otherwise …” Jen paused with a laugh, laying the rose on the dash as she turned the key in the ignition. “God, I hope not.”

*********************

“Okay, so Chris is still convinced that You’re Still the One could be the next big thing for you.”

“Really?” Jen smiled, twisting back and forth in her chair as his voice carried over the speaker phone on the desk. “What do you think?”

“I’ve got three more discs to go through, but I’m really liking Whiskey Lullaby.” He sighed, and she could picture him relaxing back on his bed, one arm behind his head, the phone cradled to his ear. “There’s not a story sheet for it in my binder, though.”

“That was one of the last masters we were able to finish before you left, so I didn’t get a chance to add it.” Leaning back in the chair, she propped her feet on the corner of the desk and closed her eyes, grinning as she imagined him leafing through the pages of stories that accompanied the CDs she’d hidden in his bag the morning of his flight. She’d taken the time to type out the journal entries and memories, then printed out the sheet music for each song, compiling it into a large binder. And she hadn’t been able to resist getting him a new Discman with sound-canceling headphones to go with it. “I was able to get most of the tracking done on my own, but Brian had to pull a few strings to get the folks we needed to record it. We were really lucky that Adam was hanging around that day.”

“Yeah, I love that it’s a duet. You guys blend really well together.” She heard him clearing his throat, then shifting on his mattress. “But what’s the story, Boof?”

“Well, when we were out decorating Gram’s headstone last spring, I noticed a willow tree in the far corner of the cemetery and went to check it out. There were two headstones hidden under the vines. They were both heart-shaped, with angels etched around the names. It struck me as odd that they had the same last name but were separated. I thought if they’d been married, then surely they’d have shared one headstone. So that made me wonder if something had happened between them – maybe they’d gotten divorced or something – and that’s why they weren’t together.” Taking a deep breath, she let the memory resurface. “Then I saw the bottles of whiskey sitting on the base of each stone. They weren’t opened and looked like they’d been there a long time, maybe even as long as the stones had been there. The date on the guy’s stone had him passing away in 1972. The woman died about two years later. Neither of them were that old. Mid-thirties.”

“Wow.”

“I know. It didn’t look like there’d been any decorations there in a long time, so I figured that they probably hadn’t had family left in the area. By the time we got home, I was already blocking out a whole scenario around those whiskey bottles and a pair of broken hearts. It didn’t take too long to finish it.”

“I know you did the acoustic work, but is that a fiddle in there, too?”

“Yep.” She laughed quietly. “I’ve met a lot of new people since December.”

“I’ll say.” His grin was obvious over the line. “It still cracks me up that you’re so good at country music.”

“Well, I guess you can blame Lance.” Her fingers played with the edge of the CD case lying on the edge of the desk. “After he heard Commitment, he lent me some stuff by Martina McBride and George Strait and got me hooked on the style.”

“Whatever works, Boof. You know …”

“Hey, Jen!” Before he could say anything else, there was a quick knock at the door, then it burst open as Maggie came dancing into the room. “Girl, check your e-mail!”

“What?” Jen’s feet hit the ground as she sat up. “Why?”

“The director got an early start on notifications.” Maggie hopped in place. “Guess who gets to die a fabulous death in Act One?”

“Really? That’s awesome, Mags!” Standing up, Jen gave her a quick hug. “Congratulations.”

“Congrats, Maggie.” JC’s voice shook with laughter as it carried into the room. “How exactly are you going to make dying fabulous?”

“Oh, hey, Jace.” Casting a sheepish look toward her friend, she mouthed a silent apology. “Don’t you know by now that I make everything fabulous?” Rolling her eyes, she shook her head. “Anyway, get to it, Jenny. Let’s see the good news.”

“Okay, okay.” Jen sat back down, bringing the computer to life and opening her inbox. “Just … don’t get your hopes too high, all right?” The mouse hovered over the director’s message. “There were a lot of girls there with a lot more experience.”

“And not one of them brought the house down like you.” Maggie’s toe tapped impatiently. “Open it!”

“Okay, here goes.” Taking a deep breath, she opened the message and read the text slowly, her eyes widening in surprise as she sat back in stunned silence.

“She just went quiet, and that could go either way.” His tone was inquisitive. “Help me out, Mags. Which is it?”

“Hang on.” Leaning over Jen’s shoulder, she read the paragraphs quickly. “Oh, she got it. She totally got the part. As if they’d have gone with anyone else. You should’ve seen her, Jace. She was perfect.” Letting out a quick laugh, her eyes ran over the short sentences at the bottom of the screen. “And get this. The director says the decision to cast her was immediate and unanimous across the board. He’s eager to work with her and hopes that her experience with our group is gratifying.”

“I got it.” Jen’s voice was a little detached and her skin took on a slightly green tinge. “They actually cast me. I-I think I’m gonna be sick.”

“Okay, we’re in musical theater, not opening for Alice Cooper.” Maggie reached for the trash can as a precaution. “This is a great thing, Jenny. You were fantastic. The best one for it. Remember how much fun you had?”

“Yeah. It was a blast.” Her head shook back and forth. “I’m just not used to … to being the center of attention.”

“Well, you’ll have months of rehearsals to get used to it. Just think of how good it’ll be for you. And you’ll be earning a performance elective credit, to boot.” The redhead raised her voice so he couldn’t help but hear her. “Consider this your warning, C. Shows are the last three weekends in April. You need to make sure your butt is in one of those seats so you can see your girl do her thing.” A sigh escaped. “Bring the Goof Troop with you, if you must.”

“I hear you. I’ll do what I can.” Concern sharpened his voice. “Boof? How’re you holding up?”

“I’ll be okay.” With a deep breath, she sat back in her chair. “I’m just freaking out right now, but it’ll be fine.”

“Hey, Maggie? Think I could have her back?”

“Sure.” Maggie sent a wink Jen’s direction, a knowing smile lighting her features as she headed for the door. “Later, Jace.”

“Later.” He waited until he heard the door close before he continued. “Go ahead and take me off speaker, Jenny.”

Leaning forward, she picked the cordless unit off the base, pressing the button to activate the handset. “All right.”

“Are you okay? Be honest.”

“I’m terrified.” Her hands trembled as she shook her head. “What if I can’t repeat what they liked so much? What if the whole thing was a fluke and I completely blow it? What if …”

“Hey, hey. Stop psyching yourself out. You’re going to be wonderful.” She heard him sigh. “Apparently, you’ve already been wonderful. I wish I could’ve seen it.”

“I kinda fell apart after it was over, wishing you were here.” Her nose wrinkled a bit at the admission. “But it’s okay, Josh. Like I said, I’ll get used to it.”

“I’m so sorry, Boof.” His regret was clear. “Is Coda close enough to grab?”

“Yeah.” She reached out to retrieve the stuffed white bear with patches of black fabric printed with a rainbow of musical symbols accenting his paws and a multicolored treble clef on his overstuffed belly, cuddling him to her chest. With a quiet laugh, she pressed her cheek into the soft fur on top of the bear’s head. “He pretty much lives on my desk, unless I take him upstairs with me.”

“Well, go ahead and give him a hug for me.”

“I already am.”

“Good. Squeeze him extra tight, okay?” An unusual roughness entered his voice. “God, I wish I was there with you right now.”

“I know. Me, too.” Another laugh escaped. “Sucks, huh?”

“Like hell.” He took a deep breath. “You know I can’t guarantee that I’ll make it, but I promise to do my absolute best to get home for your show.”

“All I need is to know you’ve tried.” Her finger traced the stitching on Coda’s belly. “Anything more than that is just a bonus.” Brown eyes drifted over to the clock on the wall. “I should let you go. It’s nearly one o’clock where you are.”

“It’s all right.” She could hear him fighting back a yawn. “I’m good.”

“You’re going to be asleep in five minutes.” Her voice trembled with humor. “Go to bed, Josh.”

“I’m already in bed.” His grin carried over the line. “Comfy under the covers, lights out, talking to my favorite person.”

Her gaze traveled over to the framed photograph that Coda usually sat next to and she couldn’t help her smile. The bear had been sitting on his bed when she made it back in from the airport, a little tag tied around his foot: Whenever you start missing me, just hug this guy as tight as you can. The box holding her necklace had been cradled in his lap, a folded piece of paper tucked inside: Wear this every day and think of me. Lying next to him on the comforter had been the photo of the two of them after he’d helped her off the stairs at Pleasure Island, a sticky note attached to the frame: Kissing you is amazing, but this is what I’m going to miss the most.

She hadn’t needed to look twice to know what he meant. That photo made her question any doubts she’d ever had about possibly being right for him. The way they smiled at each other with their foreheads touching, her hands on his face as his arms held her tightly … even in print, it was glaringly obvious that there was more between them than friendship. Much more.

Besides, her Mr. Right would bring stuffed animals, wouldn’t he? Coda had already been laying on his bed when they’d said their goodbyes at the airport. Jen couldn’t help but grin as her fingers rubbed across the bear’s fur. Either JC was a mind reader, or he knew her better than she’d thought.

“Yeah, you’re my favorite person, too.” She bit her lip when she heard his breathing deepen. “Get some sleep and I’ll talk to you later.”

“Uh huh.” His tone gave away how close to sleep he really was. “’Night, Boof.”

“’Night, Josh.”

----------------------------------------

February 14, 1996

“Somebody’s wasting a lot of money.” Jen shook her head as she lifted the rose off her windshield, twirling it between her fingers for a moment before choosing another car to leave it on and heading toward her next class. The flower she’d found after her audition last month had only been the first, one flower – or sometimes two or three – showing up on her car each week since. She’d find them between classes, when she’d stop by her car to swap bags before heading into the Music building for sessions with Brian, and there was never a hint as to who they were from.

She’d sent Chris a message, asking if he or the guys knew anything. None of them were involved and none of the people in her circle of friends had any reason to be leaving her the gifts. After the first few, she’d come to the conclusion that someone was mistaking her car for someone else’s and began passing them on, hoping they’d land on the vehicle they were really intended for.

If nothing else, she had to applaud the persistence.

Three hours later, the answer was lying underneath a full dozen roses that had been delivered to the hood of the Tracker. The card was pristine, with crystal clear calligraphy addressing the gift to Alexis.

“Ah. Yeah, no Alexis here.” Picking up the bouquet and card, she quickly scanned the other vehicles in the lot, looking for anyone driving a similar model to hers. Walking down the next row, she focused on a small black SUV with a vanity plate sparkling with the letter A.

A blonde girl walking down the opposite side of the lane crossed over, heading for the vehicle, and Jen sped up, hoping to catch her before she left. “Excuse me! Is your name Alexis?”

“What?” The girl’s head turned in surprise, her eyes widening as Jen approached with the flowers. “Yes. I’m Alexis.”

“I’m pretty sure these are for you.” A relieved smile spread across Jen’s face as she handed over the bouquet. “I think someone’s been mistaking my car for yours. They’ve been leaving single roses for the past couple of weeks, but they didn’t say who they belonged to.”

“Oh, wow.” Alexis took the flowers, her fingers working on the flap of the envelope until she could pull out the card to read it. “Aw, he’s so sweet!”

“You wouldn’t happen to be working on a production with the Orlando Orchestra, would you?”

“I play the violin.” Blue eyes focused on her, sparking in recognition. “You’re in the cast, aren’t you?”

“Yep.” Jen shook her head and laughed. “I think you might want to make sure he knows which car is yours. And tell him that I’m sorry about all the others. I’m hoping they went to good homes.”

“Thank you so much.” Alexis sent her a bright smile, holding the roses just a little tighter. “I’ll be sure to let him know.”

Just in case, Jen laid a note on her dash, making sure anyone standing outside would know that she was Not Alexis. Two days later, a large artificial sunflower was on her windshield, with a tag thanking her for straightening out the mix-up. She couldn’t help her smile when she read that Alexis and Ben were now making beautiful music together.

Backing out of the parking spot, she never noticed the rose left mangled by the driver’s side front tire.

----------------------------------------

April 26, 1996

The sky was sparkling with stars as he pushed through the door, thanking the heavens that he’d remembered his keys, and cringed as the alarm began beeping in the hallway. Quickly, his fingers flew over the code and he sighed when all was quiet again. Making sure the door was locked behind him, he reset the alarm and headed toward his bedroom, blinking wearily in the darkness.

A dim light shone through the doorway and his brow furrowed until he stepped into the room, his gaze immediately focusing on the glowing bathroom light, then turning to the bed. A smile formed when he found her laying there, curled on her side, shivering a bit as she burrowed into the comforter.

Letting his duffel drop to the floor, he walked to the bedside and leaned over her, his fingers brushing the hair out of her face. “Jenny?” She gave no response, a sigh lifting her chest as she pressed her face deeper into the pillow. With a quiet laugh, he kissed her forehead and moved around the bed, kicking off his shoes and tossing his jacket onto the chair in the corner.

He almost groaned in relief as he settled onto the comforter, his eyelids becoming extremely heavy the instant his head came down on the pillow, only to become slightly more alert when she moved next to him. Taking a deep breath, she rolled over and into his arms, never coming awake as she hugged him around the waist and snuggled herself to him, her cheek settling against his chest.

Every ounce of the tension he’d been carrying since being notified of the cancellation of his morning flight drained away, having her in his arms suddenly making the stressful rush to book and make a late flight from D.C. entirely worth it. She shivered again and his hold tightened on her, pulling her closer to his chest as he reached across to tug the comforter over them both, creating a cocoon of soft warmth. He tilted his head down to inhale the floral scent of her shampoo and finally relaxed completely, drifting to sleep as she breathed against him.

What seemed like minutes later, he felt her suddenly tensing in his arms and knew that she was waking up. Wearily, he opened his eyes to find her blinking sleepily in confusion, staring at his chest. “Hey, Boof. I’m home.” With a tired smile, he pressed a kiss to the top of her head. “Do you have class today?”

“No … no classes today. If I have my way, I’ll never have another Friday class.” Her brow furrowed as she shook her head, raising her eyes to meet his. “How are you here? I wasn’t expecting to see you until after your showcase thing tonight.”

“Morning flight got canceled, so I had to rebook for a late flight with a layover in Knoxville. Got in a little after three.” His arms squeezed her as his eyes closed again. “The others are all getting into town at different times, so we’re not meeting up until just before we have to be at the high school for a warmup.” He arched his back in a stretch, moving her with him. “What time do you need to be at the theater?”

“I have to appear for makeup and wardrobe by six.” The warmth of his body was tempting, but she kept her gaze on his relaxed features. “You did say you wanted seven tickets for tomorrow night, right?”

“Yep. Diane and Lynn wanted to come, too.” He let his fingers comb through her hair. “If you don’t have to be anywhere until six, how about we just nap for a few more hours and then head out for some lunch?”

“Sounds perfect.” She settled back against him, one hand reaching to touch his face. Brown eyes lit with a smile when he turned to kiss her palm, his eyes blinking open to look down at her, and she scooted herself closer to him, brushing her lips against the side of his chin. “I’m so glad you’re here.”

“Me, too, Jenny.” A sigh rattled through his chest as he hugged her tightly, his lips moving against her forehead as his heavy eyelids lost their battle, quickly falling closed as sleep returned. “Me, too.”

 

 

End Notes:

I know this little ditty has been up for over ten years, but I just noticed how close it is to having 30,000 views!  How awesome is that?  *happy dance*

Chapter Fifteen (Part One) by Renee

April 27, 1996

“Seriously?” Joey’s eyes widened as they made their way into the theater, following Brian down the center aisle until they found a section of seats large enough for all of them to sit together. “She went from not wanting to be in front of people at all to this?”

“Guess so. Maggie’s a miracle worker.”

“And why are we here so early?” Justin spoke up, stepping into a row close to the stage. “It doesn’t start for another hour.”

“Every show sold out, J.” JC sighed as he took the seat next to him. “It’s closing night. If Jen hadn’t reserved tickets for us, we wouldn’t have been able to make it in. Personally, I wanted a seat where I could actually see her.”

“If you’ll look around, dearest, you’ll see that we just beat the crowd coming in.” Lynn leaned forward from the row behind them, thumping her son on the back of the head before gesturing to the streams of people entering the doors. “Pay attention.”

“Hey, Jace. I thought she said it wasn’t a major role.” Chris glanced up from where he was flipping through the program. “She’s got, like, sixth billing. Cast photo and everything.”

“You’re kidding.” He turned to the section holding the cast listing and smiled when he found her on the second page, just below Maggie. “Well, look at that. Good for you, Boof.”

“Why do you call her that, anyway?” A dark brow arched in his direction. “Boof? It’s not exactly a common nickname.”

JC simply looked at him, a deadpan expression on his face.

“Not today, huh?” Chris laughed, tapping the program against his knee. “Okay, so how about the teddy bear? You could’ve gotten a bear from anywhere, but you literally found one in the gift shop out front. Really? Roses probably would’ve been nice, you know.”

Yeah, but her Mr. Right will come bearing stuffed animals. And God, I’m hoping she knows that I’m her Mr. Right. He kept his thoughts to himself and shook his head, grinning down at the fluffy brown bear in his lap with a quiet laugh. “Not today, Chris.”

Trying to ignore the usual banter from the friends surrounding him, JC let his gaze travel over the theater, a feeling of awe settling in as he took in the impressive auditorium. He could only estimate that there were enough seats for about two thousand people. If every show had sold out … a smile began to form as he studied the balcony, pride blooming in his chest at how far she’d come in the last few months. According to Maggie, Jen’s performances had garnered the best crowd response, earning more than one standing ovation during curtain call.

Knock ’em dead, Jenny.

Before he knew it, the seats were full and the orchestra had completed its warmup, the house lights dimming to darkness as the stage lights came up and the curtain rose to reveal the detailed set pieces. The music drew him in and he completely forgot who was sitting next to him until he felt an elbow in his side.

“Dude, is that Maggie?” Justin leaned over to whisper in his ear. “She’s totally different as a brunette.”

Cutting a glance toward his friend, he nodded, then turned his attention back to the stage. A little while later, he was chuckling under his breath as she did, in fact, manage to present a fabulous death. There was a sniffle and a shifting in the row behind him, and he looked back to see Lance passing tissues between Diane and Lynn. Lance’s expression held an ounce of humor as his eyes met JC’s and he simply shrugged with a grin before focusing back on the actors.

Not too much longer and there she was, notably smaller than the others around her, dressed in worn greyish-brown pants and a stained white sleeveless blouse, her hair pulled up and covered by an old-fashioned men’s hat. Even as she was obviously part of the group of characters, their placement on the stage had her clearly apart from the crowd, her shoulders tilted confidently, her chin raised with a rakish grin as she flirted with Adam, who was playing her friend and love interest. JC wasn’t prepared for the streak of jealousy that passed through him as she gazed at Adam with a look of pure adoration and he could feel his grip tightening on the bear he’d bought her.

Cool it, man. It’s just a play. Not real. He swallowed thickly, trying to relax his fingers on the soft fur. If it was real, she would’ve told you.

Adam’s character sent Jen off stage, presumably to search for the blonde girl who’d crossed the stage earlier with the male lead, and Chris leaned close to his ear. “She’s a convincing little actress, isn’t she?” Blue eyes turned to him just in time to see his glance drop to where JC was still clutching the bear. “But it’s just a show, Jace. I’ve seen her giving you that look more often than you probably realize. She wasn’t playing a part with you.” Chris’ brow lifted questioningly. “You okay?”

“Yeah.” With a deep breath, JC relaxed into his seat, eased by the reassurance. “I’m fine.”

She returned to the stage to participate in one of the most popular group numbers, the audience reacting to its familiarity. Then she grabbed Adam’s hand and led him off stage, the set pieces turning so that she could deliver him to the girl she’d located. A little music and suddenly she was standing apart again, participating in the scenes, but something of an observer, chiming in with her thoughts though no one else acknowledged that she was there. Her voice rang out between the others, rich with sadness and heartbreak as the couple came together, leaving her in the cold to protect them from the gang of thieves that dragged her off stage as she let out a scream that shot straight to his spine and made both Justin and Chris jump in their seats.

The next time she was visible, her arms and face had been dusted with just enough stage makeup to give the impression that she’d endured a beating, a tattered trench coat gripped in her hands as she joined in with the Act One closer. The cast held the last harmonies, allowing the orchestra to take them to the end of the piece, then froze in place, the heavy stage curtain slowly descending as the audience applauded their efforts during the first half of the program.

“Jace …” As the lights came up for the intermission, Lance leaned forward and placed a hand on JC’s shoulder. “She’s fantastic. The people behind us were already talking about her when she first came on stage. They’ve been here every weekend and keep saying that she’s better every time.”

“Did anybody else know she could scream like that?” Justin’s eyes widened. “Dear God, she’s got a set of pipes hidden in that little body.”

“Oh, just you wait.” Brian stood at the end of the row, reaching up to stretch out his shoulders as he smiled at JC. “She hasn’t hit her stride yet.”

“Excuse me.” An older woman sitting in the row ahead of them turned around, her gaze bouncing between the guys. “Are you boys here for the little brunette?”

“Yes, ma’am.” Chris sent her a friendly smile. “She’s a very good friend of ours. We’ve been out of town, so this is the first chance we’ve had to see the show.”

“Oh, goodness, we just love her.” A happy grin lit her features. “Jenny is our granddaughter’s piano teacher over at the Community Center in the University area. Chelsea is simply besotted with her. She was so excited when we brought her last weekend for the Sunday matinee.” Her elbow nudged the man sitting next to her. “We enjoyed it so much, we came back for a date night. An absolute star, our Jen.” The lights flickered in warning that the intermission was ending. “That girl does so much for the children at the Center, and she doesn’t even realize what a gift she is. If you talk to her later, please tell her that the McKameys said hello.”

“We definitely will.” JC took his seat as the house lights began to dim, looking around as an enthusiastic twitter began to stir through the auditorium. “Something exciting about to happen?”

“Wait for it.” Mrs. McKamey noticed the bear in his lap and winked with a knowing smile, reaching over her seat to pat his knee before turning around. “You haven’t seen anything yet, son. Your girl’s just getting started.”

The heavy curtain lifted to show Adam and a few other men in front of a wall of debris, talking among themselves until Jen moved across the stage, now wearing the trench coat. A brief conversation ensued, with the men telling the stupid girl to get out of there, she’d be shot. In a quick decision, Adam reached in his pocket and handed her a note, asking her to deliver it to the blonde – an attempt to both get his friend out of danger and let his love know what was happening.

The set moved to the side – cast and all – as a painted curtain descended between Jen and the men, giving the stage a backdrop of a city bridge and streetlights. The orchestra transitioned into her lead-in, and she began to sing the opening phrases, glancing down at the note in her hand before slipping it into her coat pocket and walking slowly toward center stage, making it to the middle of the curtain as the introduction ended. The music brightened, a smile gracing her lips as she stepped lightly in front of the bridge. Closing her eyes, she hugged herself as she let her imagination take control.

On my own, pretending he’s beside me
All alone I walk with him till morning
Without him I feel his arms around me
And when I lose my way
I close my eyes and he has found me


Twinkle lights embedded in the curtain began to sparkle delicately, and she looked upward, stretching out a hand toward the stars flickering in her description.

In the rain the pavement shines like silver
All the lights are misty in the river
In the darkness, the trees are full of starlight
And all I see is him and me, forever and forever


And suddenly, the orchestration became heavy, the smile leaving her face as her hands slid into her pockets. The stars lost their twinkle, going dark as reality came rushing to her.

And I know it’s only in my mind
That I’m talking to myself and not to him
And although I know that he is blind
Still I say, there’s a way for us

I love him, but when the night is over
He is gone, the river’s just a river
Without him, the world around me changes
The trees are bare and everywhere
The streets are full of strangers


Her hand lifted from her pocket, pulling out the square of paper that she’d been sent to deliver, even more despair entering her voice as she stared at the note. After a moment, her gaze turned out to the audience, and she clasped the paper to her chest as her tone became rough with the emotion of the crescendo.

I love him, but every day I’m learning
All my life I’ve only been pretending
Without me, his world will go on turning
A world that’s full of happiness
That I have never known


There was a beat of silence as she let the last line cry through the darkness, seeming to take all the oxygen out of the room with her shaky breath as she softened her voice for the last tags. A sad smile settled across her features as she let her fingers caress the letter, her eyes coming down to focus on the paper. Her last lines were a powerful confession, tender as a whisper as they floated out from the stage.

I love him
I love him
I love him
But only on my own


As the last words died away, the audience came to their feet and erupted in applause, whistles and cheers, the ruckus echoing around him as he grinned, glancing to the side when he heard both Chris and Joey adding shrill whistles to the fray. Never breaking character, she looked out into the noisy, dark room, her fingers tucking the note back into her pocket before reaching up to remove the hat from her head, holding it over her heart for just a moment. Two beats of a pause as the curtain rose, then she whipped the hat back into place and turned to quickly cross the stage, approaching the blonde’s father and delivering the note before disappearing into the wings.

It took a few minutes to get the crowd under control, but once the roar had subsided and seats had been taken, the orchestra picked up as if there had been no interruption, returning the action back to Adam and the men at the barricade. There was some conversation, some scuffling and then yelling as the men climbed up on the wall and fired their weapons, the sound of the block-barreled guns echoing sharply around the theater.

The firing stopped, and a little boy crouched below the top of the wall looked behind it, calling out that someone was climbing up. One of the older men leaned across, reaching to pull Jen up and over, and held her until the others could get in position to help her down. She carried on a brief, halting exchange with Adam as the men passed her along the barricade, her hat falling off her head to show the streaks of red liquid trickling from her hairline, and when he grasped her waist to lower her to the floor, her coat came open, revealing the dark, bloody stains on her blouse.

Adam tried to set her down, but her red-tinged fingers grasped his shirt as she collapsed, taking him with her to land in a heap on the stage. As the strings began a delicate tune, he sat up and pulled her into his lap, cradling her to his chest as she pressed her hands to her abdomen and chest and began to sing. She blinked drowsily and tried to focus on his face, her voice tender as it weakened, reflecting what bit of joy could be found at finally being held in his arms, even if it was as she was dying.

Where Maggie had delivered a loud, dramatic death in the first act, Jen knew that her character’s passing should be gentle – no matter that it was the result of violence – and she managed to present it perfectly, her voice blending smoothly with Adam’s during the last lines she would deliver.

And you will keep me safe
And you will keep me close
And rain will make the flowers ...


She raised trembling fingers to his face, smearing 'blood' against his cheek as she struggled to breathe, her words fading to silence as she let the life drain from her body. Going limp, her head fell back against his arm, her hand dropping away from him as he finished out the song alone.

There were sniffles and sobs carrying around the auditorium as Adam leaned down to kiss Jen’s forehead, then clasped her lifeless form in his arms and began to rock back and forth, grieving the friend he’d tried to protect. The scene was filled with anguish, the stage lights glinting off the tears streaming down not only Adam’s face, but the faces of everyone on stage. The little boy had climbed down the barricade, clutching the pant leg of a young man standing to the side, both of them openly sobbing as the leader of the group held Adam back so that others could lift Jen away from him, carrying her over to lay her in the back of a wooden wagon next to the set.

JC swallowed around the hard lump in his throat, then heard a sniffle next to him and glanced over to see Justin accepting a tissue from his mother. His young friend rolled his eyes at himself and wiped his nose, shaking his head with a quiet sigh. Leaning over, he whispered in Justin’s ear. “You all right?”

“Yeah.” With a shrug, he laughed under his breath. “She just …”

“I know.” Nudging him playfully with his elbow, JC sent him a smile. “Tears your heart out, doesn’t she?” At Justin’s nod, he chuckled quietly. “She’s had me in knots since we were kids. It gets easier, I promise.”

Settling back in his seat, JC took a deep breath and returned his attention to what was happening on stage. The cast handled themselves wonderfully, delivering the right amount of emotion in each scene to convey the despair behind each death – the little boy’s demise earning an appropriate reaction from the audience. Even the inspector’s suicide seemed to beg for sympathy, despite the hatred the character had inspired since the beginning.

Finally, a dimly lit set showed the lead character in a rocking chair in front of a darkened curtain, writing something in a book on his lap. Adam and the blonde came rushing in, crossing the stage to him, going back and forth as the older gentleman tried to prepare them for his death. Maggie entered and made her way toward him, white robe flowing around her as she came to a stop beside his chair, smiling at the blonde playing her now adult daughter. Then Jen appeared wearing a similar robe and crossed the same way, sending her own smile in Adam’s direction, her voice a perfect harmony to Maggie’s as the gentleman rose from the chair and took their hands, allowing them to lead him to center stage.

Lights slowly lit behind the curtain, illuminating the full cast as they began to sing the closing number quietly at first, then building power as the leads began to join in. Adam and the blonde came to stand beside Jen, the inspector and the little boy coming in from the side to join Maggie as the orchestra swelled into the final choruses. All the voices came together, holding the last harmonies until the maestro cut to finish, and the audience rose to its feet, cheering as the cast all ran into the wings until time for their final bows.

JC tucked the teddy bear under his arm as he clapped, smiling as the racket swelled for the ladies’, men’s and children’s choruses. Brian let out a whistle as Maggie came out for her bow and she grinned, waving in their general direction before stepping to the side and waiting as Jen came out to join her. The room went wild as she took a bow and waved, some of the people in the balcony stomping their feet to add to the ruckus as the girls clasped hands for another deep bow, then moved to the side for the next pair.

The noise swelled again as the lead actor took his bow and the house lights came up, allowing him to indicate the orchestra, the maestro turning to take a bow. The older man reached out to either side, taking Jen and Adam’s hands as the lead cast all raised joined hands for one last bow. Then the maestro motioned toward them, the orchestra launching into the music for Jen’s solo, sending the crowd into cheers and whistles again.

Her eyes widened as she looked up at the man holding her hand, who just smiled with a nod and pushed her back to center stage, the rest of the cast encouraging her into an encore. Taking a deep breath, she smiled quickly then glanced toward the orchestra, returning the maestro’s nod as he skipped the intro and went directly into the main portion of the song. She began to sing, looking around at all the people in the audience before her, then turning to the cast behind her, grabbing first Maggie’s hand, then Adam’s, silently asking them to join her. By the second verse, the entire cast was singing with her and she motioned toward the audience, encouraging them to join in as well. By the third verse, she was leading the entire building through her encore.

As the final notes rang through the room, Jen looked between Maggie and Adam, then started an acapella round of the final chorus of the show, the entire cast finishing out with them before taking one last bow, waving to the audience as they began to exit the stage.

“Hey, Jace!” Brian’s voice carried to him from the main aisle, where he was dodging the rush of people headed for the exit. “Come on. I’ll take you to her.”

“Great.” He looked around at the rest of the crew. “Are you guys gonna meet us somewhere, or do you want to wait here?”

“We’ll wait.” Joey grinned and stretched. “Just don’t keep her back there all night.”

“Right.” Rolling his eyes, JC stepped around Chris and followed Brian toward a door at the side of the stage. His eyes widened when he saw the chaos in the hallways. “Are you sure it’s okay for me to be back here?”

“Are you kidding?” Brian laughed, turning down a hallway to the right. “She’d kill me if I left you out there. I have strict instructions to deliver you to her dressing room ASAP.”

They made another turn and JC came to a sudden halt when he saw a grinning Adam knocking on a door, teddy bear in hand. “Uh, maybe …”

“Stop.” A hand clapped over his shoulder when he began to turn away. “Stay. It’s not what you think.”

The door opened and he heard Jen laughing. “It’s perfect! She’ll love it!” There was a brief exchange and she went on her toes to hug Adam around the neck, the white fabric of her costume billowing around her. “Hang on a sec.” She moved back into the room, reappearing a minute later with three roses in hand. “Here. I have no idea who sent these, so I guess they can’t be mad if I decide to pass them on.” Adam took the flowers, his shoulders raising in a deep breath as her hands straightened his stage jacket. “You’ve got this. Now, what are you gonna do?”

“Use my words.” The deeper voice carried down the hallway.

“Why?”

“Because she can’t read my mind.” He smiled down at the bear and flowers. “And the bear can’t talk for me.”

“Exactly.”

“Thanks, Jenny.” Adam bent down to kiss her cheek. “You’re the best.”

“Whatever.” She laughed, then pushed him down the hallway. “Lila awaits. Go get her.” As she watched him walk away, a door opened across the hall. Jen smiled when the older man who’d played the lead stepped out, still in half of his costume. “Great job, Jim. You brought the house down.”

“I’m thinking you’ve been the star of this show, young lady.” Jim came toward her, pulling her into a hug. “I hope we get to work with you again. I’d love to have a chance to sing with you.”

“I never thought I’d be a theater person, but I’ve had a blast. I guess we’ll have to wait and see what the next show is. If it fits in my schedule, maybe …”

“Lila?” As the new conversation carried on in front of Jen’s door, JC arched a brow questioningly. “Who’s Lila?”

“The blonde.” Brian chuckled under his breath. “Now that the show’s over, Adam needs an excuse to keep seeing her. Jen thought dating her might be good enough.”

“Of course she did.” A grin lit his features. “So she’s trying to go three for three?”

“More like five for five.” Shaking his head, Brian leaned against the wall. “Your girl’s something else, man. She got Sam and Jake together sometime around Valentine’s Day. A few weeks after that, she found the perfect match for Nick – one of Maggie’s drama group girls.” His eyes landed on Jen’s face and he knew the second she noticed them standing there. “Jace, I’m absolutely positive that Maggie loves me, but sometimes I wonder what I’d have to do to get her to look at me the way Jen looks at you.”

“Try being gone for months at a time. That should do it.”

“It’s not that.” Brian sent him a glance. “Whether you’ve been out of the country or you’ve just come up from the studio and you’re crossing paths in the kitchen, she looks at you as if you hung the moon.”

“Both you and Chris have mentioned it tonight.” JC sighed, running a hand through his hair. “I guess I’m not paying attention, because I’ve never noticed it.”

“Really?”

“Yeah. We’ve been in each other’s lives for so long, we kind of mastered the whole avoidance thing. I think we’re trying to get past that, but maybe she still isn’t letting me see it?”

“Could be.” Brian shrugged. “She’s told me a little bit about how you rescued her when she was six.”

“That’s not quite the whole story.” JC’s fingers played with the teddy bear’s fur. “She rescued me, too. I was adopted about halfway through kindergarten, so my parents had to enroll me in the class late. I was shy, I didn’t talk much and I wasn’t very good at being social. The kids in first grade knew me about as well as they knew her.” A smile tilted his lips. “When I saw her sitting on that swing, looking so lonely, I thought there wasn’t a much sadder picture than that, so I asked if she needed a push. She reeled me in with a smile and I guess the rest is history.”

“Do we have to talk about how pathetic I was as a little kid?” Her voice was light with humor as she came to stand next to him, Jim at her side. “Jim, you know Brian.”

“Great job tonight, Jim.” Reaching up to pat him on the shoulder, Brian began moving down the hallway. “I’d better get to Maggie before she sends out a search party. Later, guys.”

“Josh, this is Jim Meadows. He played Jean Valjean.” She glanced over to Jim. “This is my … uh …” For a second, she looked stumped, her brow furrowing quickly before she recovered with a smile. “JC. This is JC.”

“Ah, your young man.”

“Well, not really.” Her eyes cut to JC, her cheeks turning slightly pink beneath the stage makeup. “I mean … we’re not …”

“Yes, sir.” He smiled down at her, wrapping an arm around her to pull her into his side, where she immediately relaxed. “Whatever I am, I’m definitely hers.”

“That’s what I thought. Smart boy.” Jim bit back a laugh as he reached out for JC’s hand. “We’ve heard a lot about you, son. I hope Sweden is treating you well.”

“Sweden is wonderful, but it’s not home.” Passing her the teddy bear, he shook the older man’s hand. “I really enjoyed the show tonight. Everyone did an awesome job.” A quick glance her direction let him see her cuddling the bear to her chest with a happy smile, and he couldn’t help a grin as he leaned down to kiss the top of her head. “You were fantastic, Boof. I’m so proud of you.”

“Thanks, Josh. He’s adorable.” She leaned in as if to hug him, then remembered the makeup still caking her face and pulled away. A strange look crossed his features and she let out a laugh, gesturing toward her face. “You look really nice and I don’t want to get this junk all over your shirt. I need to go get cleaned up before I can hug you.”

“It was nice to meet you, JC.” Jim sent him a wink as he turned back to his dressing room. “I hope you’ll join us for the cast party next Friday night.”

“Nice to meet you, too. You just might see me there.” Following her down the hall and into her dressing room, he let the door close behind him. “Is that okay?”

“Is what okay?” Her eyes met his in the mirror, where she was already wiping at her face with a towelette, grimacing at the amount of grime left on the cloth. “Ugh, I hate this stuff.”

“My coming to the cast party.” He came over and propped his hip against the vanity, facing her. “You didn’t mention it.”

“I’d love for you to come with me.” She sent him a grin. “I just didn’t know for sure how long you’d be home, and I didn’t want you to feel bad if you couldn’t stay.” Pulling her hair back into a quick ponytail, she reached for a fresh wipe and began working over her forehead and mouth. “It’ll be a double celebration for me, anyway. Finals are next week, and my term is over as of Thursday.” Giving herself a quick once-over to make sure all the makeup was gone, she wrinkled her nose and showed him the stained cloth. “That’s why I don’t wear lipstick much. Stains everything.”

“Okay.” When he saw her reaching into her bag for her lip gloss, a teasing smile formed as he tried to read what flavor it was. “Yeah, I like the lip gloss better, too.”

Her hand froze in mid-swipe, the tube of gloss against her bottom lip, and she let her gaze meet his, a laugh escaping when she saw the expression on his face. “Prefers lip gloss. I think I can remember that.” She finished with the gloss and dropped the tube back into her bag, then stood and turned her back to him. “Can you help me with the zipper?” He hesitated, and she looked over her shoulder with a smile. “Don’t panic. I’m dressed underneath.” Turning around, she reached back to pull her hair out of the way. “Just be careful of my necklace, okay?”

“Uh huh.” The zipper moved easily, revealing the white tank top and khaki capris she’d been wearing since her costume change. As the back of the gown came open, he noticed the silver chain hanging low and lifted it higher around her neck so it wouldn’t tangle in her hair. “Is that far enough?”

“Yeah. Thanks.” She let her hair fall and shrugged out of the sleeves, careful that her slip-on tennis shoes didn’t leave prints on the long fabric as she stepped out of it and moved to hang it on the rack in the corner. “I hope they put on a kids’ program or something so they can reuse this.” With a grin, she came back toward him. “Okay, now I can hug you without making a mess of your clothes.”

“I wouldn’t have cared.” He breathed deeply when she stepped into him, her arms wrapping around his waist as she let her cheek rest against his chest. Hugging her tightly, he leaned down until he could kiss the top of her head again, his lips moving against her hair. “And I really am so proud of you. You were amazing, Jenny.” Beginning to sway back and forth, he let his gaze travel over the small collection of gifts on the table in the corner. “Looks like you already have fans, huh?”

“Just a few.” A soft laugh was muffled by his shirt. “Mom brought the music vase and some flowers on opening night. The Fatones were here last weekend and brought the cute little giraffe – ironically, his name is Short Stuff. Big Joe and Steve were full of themselves for finding him.” Moving closer to him, she leaned herself more snugly into his embrace. “The baby owl is from Sophie and her parents, and Matt, Amber and Chloe brought the Tigger.” She tilted her head back so she could see him. “And now I’ve got my theater bear from you. I’ve almost got a zoo to take home.”

He couldn’t hold back a smile at the happiness in her eyes and raised one hand to the side of her face. “I’ve missed you.”

“I’ve missed you, too.” Her head turned, pressing her cheek into his palm. “More than I thought I would.”

“It’s not been easy, huh? I’m sorry.” His thumb brushed over her skin, his gaze dropping down to her lips. “I haven’t really kissed you since I got home.”

“I noticed.” Shrugging, she gave him a little smile. “It’s okay. You were leaving and that put us in a different place. We haven’t seen each other in months, so I just figured things had probably changed.”

“They haven’t.” Clearing his throat, he closed his eyes and let his forehead rest against hers. “Not for me, anyway. I know you’ve been expanding your circles since I left – trying new things, meeting all kinds of new people – and I’m scared to ask.” Swallowing hard, blue eyes blinked open to meet hers. “Has anything changed for you?”

“Nope.” Her smile grew as she looked at him. “I’m still waiting on you.” Tilting her head, she went on her toes, her arms tightening around his waist as her lips caught his. A little thrill went through her when she heard him sigh, then felt him hug her closer and respond, moving his mouth against hers in a series of kisses even better than the ones she’d been dreaming about since January. His hold changed, the hand on her face moving down until he could lift her up against him, straightening until her feet left the floor and her fingers slid into his hair.

A few kisses more, and he pulled back with a grin. “Yeah, that’s better than I remember it.”

“I know, right?” She laughed, burying her face against his shoulder and hugging him around the neck. “You really don’t have anything to worry about, Josh. Nobody else measures up.”

“Same to you, Boof.” His hand came to the back of her head, holding her to him as he pressed his lips to her hair. “We’re in a weird situation, and I know it’s frustrating. If I wasn’t headed back overseas in two weeks, I’d be taking the next steps right about now, but I still think that would be unfair to you.”

“It’s okay. Really.” Her eyes met his as he lowered her to stand. “I understand more than you know. You’re finally getting into the serious work of making a go of the group. I want to support you, and I will – without being a distraction.”

“And I don’t want to be a distraction for you, either. You’ve got great things happening here, and I won’t be something that could possibly hold you back from becoming something even more amazing.” Leaning down, he kissed her cheek. “Just be patient with me, okay? At least until you graduate. If nothing changes, I think we could really be something worth waiting for.”

“I’m kind of liking this whole 'more than friends' thing we’ve got going on, too.” Smiling up at him, she took his hands in hers. “If waiting is what works, then that’s what we’ll do. And if your Meant to Be hasn’t come looking for you by the time I graduate – and you don’t move fast enough – then I’m coming after you, no matter where you are.” A sheepish expression crossed her face. “I was trying to figure out how to double up on classes somewhere so that I might finish even sooner …”

“Jenny.” His eyes glinted in warning. “Don’t even think about it. You promised, remember?”

“Yeah.” She sighed, leaning back into his chest. “It doesn’t matter, anyway. There are two classes that I absolutely can’t get into any earlier, so I’ll just have to ride it out.”

“Take your time.” He released her hands so he could wrap his arms around her again. “You only get the college experience once, Jen. Please don’t wish it away because of me. Enjoy every minute of it.”

“I am. Between my work in the labs with Brian and the extra-curriculars, I’m having a blast.” Excitement brightened her features when she lifted her head to look at him. “I’ve got a whole new set of final mixes for you to take back with you. Some of my best work so far, I think. I got to play piano for the jazz ensemble this semester – the youngest accompanist they’ve ever had. That was awesome. In the fall term, I’ll try for Women’s Choir. And I think I’ve decided I want to learn drums as an elective instrument.”

“Drums?” An image of her sitting behind a giant drum kit flashed before him and he laughed. “Seriously? Do they make a kit in your size?”

“Shut up.” Reaching up to tap him playfully on the shoulder, she tried to hold back her own laughter. Stepping out of his arms, she moved to the wardrobe rack, taking the blue flannel shirt off a hanger and putting it on. “I’ve got great rhythm. And using the percussion pad with my composition software is almost my favorite part of the process.” Her fingers rolled the sleeves up to just below her elbows, combed her hair out from underneath her collar, then pulled on her necklace until the heart pendant was freed from her tank top. “Plus, it’s probably a great stress reliever.”

“I’m sure it is.” His grin grew at the sight of her in his old shirt, the fabric hanging almost to her knees and swallowing her whole, her necklace settled over her chest. “You look cute.”

“Cute, huh? Great. That’s exactly what I was going for.” With a shake of her head, she laughed, pausing on her way back across the room to go on her toes and pull him down, kissing his cheek. “Most of the animals will fit in my bag, but could you carry the vase?”

“I think I can handle that.”

“Thanks.” Her thumb moved over his skin, rubbing away the shine her lip gloss had left behind. “You’re a little shiny.”

“Good.” Leaning down, he pressed his mouth against hers once more, then pulled away with a sigh. A playful spark flashed in his eyes as he licked his lips, then chuckled under his breath. “Chocolate cake? I think that’s probably my favorite so far.”

She laughed again, her cheeks turning slightly pink as she stepped away and started loading her little zoo into her duffel, the giraffe’s head poking out the top of the front of the bag and the bear waiting to be carried in her arms. “Every time I find a new flavor, I buy it. The ladies at the pharmacy must think I’ve bought stock in the company or something.”

“That’s my girl. Keep me guessing.”

“Whatever you say, Romeo.” A smile lit her eyes as she pulled the strap of her bag over her shoulder and hugged the bear to her chest. “We should clear out. Are the guys waiting?”

“Yep. Make sure to give a little extra attention to the kid. You kinda got to him.” He cradled the vase in his arm and reached to open the door for her. “After you, superstar.”

---------------------------------------

July 27, 1996

“Jen! Mail’s here.” Lisa flipped quickly through the envelopes, tossing out the obvious junk mail before settling on what appeared to be a statement from a local bank. Her brow furrowing, she glanced toward the office door, still closed as her daughter continued to work on whatever it was she was working on. With a shrug, she slid her finger under the flap and pulled out the papers, not paying a lot of attention until her focus landed on the numbers at the bottom of the last page. “Jenny!”

The office door came open, Jen stepping out with a sheepish shrug. “Sorry. I couldn’t hear you.” Walking across the room, she suddenly became aware of the look on her mother’s face. “What’s wrong?”

“Did you transfer your 'whatever' fund down here?”

“No. I can’t. Both our names are on it, so we both have to be present to sign and finalize the paperwork.” She opened the refrigerator and pulled out a bottle of water. “We should probably do that while you’re here, since you’re spending more time with me. Is that okay? Or do you think I should leave it in Bowie?”

“You really haven’t touched it?”

“Mom, I swear. Between my paycheck, the money for lessons from the kids at the Center, Maggie’s rent and what Lou was sending me for letting the guys use the studio, I haven’t needed to use it. Once I finished getting stuff for the house, I decided to leave it alone unless it was absolutely necessary. And even then, if I did need funds, I’d still need you to handle the transfers and stuff.” Her brow bunched questioningly. “I opened a local account so I could deposit my paychecks and the rent checks. Why?”

“Jenny, what is this?” Lisa passed the pages to her and Jen read over it quickly. “Is this a mistake?”

“Oh my God. This is …” Jen flipped to the front of the statement, taking a quick glance at the account number and assigned name. “Mom, this is my portfolio account.”

“Your what?”

“My portfolio account.” Shaking her head, Jen looked over the numbers again. “When Professor Summers advised me to sign the contract with Mac, he suggested I open a separate account for any royalties generated by my portfolio so I wouldn’t have to worry about him having access to my daily account. It sounded like a great idea, so I did.” Tapping her fingers on the counter, she blinked in confusion. “I literally used a hundred bucks to open it, gave him the depositing information and left it alone. I knew the song with Mariah and Boyz II Men was a hit, but …”

“Jenny, sweetheart, there are six digits on that page. And the first one is definitely not a one.”

“I can see that, Mom. I just don’t know …”

“Haven’t you been getting statements before now?”

“Well, yes, but I really wasn’t expecting for there to be enough activity to worry about.” Jen let her eyes meet Lisa’s. “I swear, I was collecting the envelopes and wasn’t going to do anything with them until tax time. I didn’t even open them, just put them all in the filing cabinet in my office. I didn’t think there would be enough to have to report, but I guess …”

“I’m guessing you were wrong.”

“Yeah.”

“It looks like there were only a few deposits made. All this year.” Lisa was quiet for a moment, staring into space as she tried to gather her thoughts. “Could all this really be from that one song?”

“Well, I think so.” Jen shook her head again. “I was shocked to hear that I actually had a song recorded, let alone released as a single by two of the biggest artists on the planet. It topped the charts in December last year and stayed there until sometime in March. Sixteen weeks at number one. And I’m pretty sure that’s just single sales and radio play. That doesn’t include album sales. I think the album was number one for three or four weeks.” Her eyes widened. “And international play is a totally different thing, too.”

“How could you not know that it was being recorded?” Lisa blinked at her. “Don’t they have to sign agreements and contracts for the rights to record your work?”

“That’s what Mac is doing. He handles all the legal stuff for me, collects the royalties, and represents my portfolio. If it wasn’t for him, my songs wouldn’t be getting out there at all.” Brown eyes closed as she sighed. “When I signed my contract with him, I specifically told him that I had no expectations and wanted to concentrate on my classes and building my portfolio. He agreed to do all the heavy lifting and I was happy with that.”

“Jen, you still need to be on top of what’s happening. Don’t you want to know when a popular artist is interested in your work? Don’t you want to be able to celebrate those successes?”

“I’m beginning to figure that out.” Jen walked over and picked up the phone, ready to dial until she realized it was Saturday and laid it back down. “Okay, so first thing on Monday, I’m going to call and see if we can’t get together with him next week. I’d like to see what’s going on, and I think you probably need to meet him.”

 

 

Chapter Fifteen (Part Two) by Renee

A middle-aged black woman glanced up as Jen and Lisa pushed through the door of the office, each trying to keep a basket from getting caught by the door handle. “Can I help you ladies?”

“Hi.” Jen smiled, setting the basket in a chair and tucking her hair behind her ear. “I’m Jen Lawson, and this is my mother, Lisa. We have a meeting …”

“My goodness!” The woman rose from her seat, coming around her desk toward them. “Jenny Lawson! He’s told me so much about you!” Without warning, she threw her arms around the younger girl, squeezing her in a tight hug. “It’s about time you came in to see us.” Leaning back, she gave Jen a quick once over. “You’re a tiny thing, aren’t you? Much younger than I imagined.”

“I am?” Startled, Jen glanced quickly at her mother. “I … uh …”

“Oh, I’m so sorry.” With a laugh, the woman stepped away. “I’m Tessa, Mac’s assistant.” She gestured around the large room. “His only staff, really. He’s very particular about who he represents, so we don’t see a lot of foot traffic through here.”

“Okay.” Laughing quietly, Jen shook her head. “It’s nice to meet you, Tessa. I already feel welcome.”

“As you should. I haven’t seen him this excited about a client in a very long time.” Tessa reached out, placing a hand on Lisa’s arm. “Your girl has been working magic and doesn’t even know it.”

“Well, I hope your version of magic includes sweet stuff, because she’s been baking up a storm.” Lisa held out the basket. “As her official taste-tester, I suggest either the peanut butter brownies or the chocolate chunk cookies. They’re killer.”

“Honey, you should’ve seen my men tear through the holiday basket you sent.” With a bubbling laugh, Tessa took the basket, peering intently through the gift wrapper. “My husband and sons were fighting over the chocolate fudge and peppermint bark before we even had it unwrapped. And that hot chocolate mix? Lord, girl, that was heaven in a cup. I hid the tin away so nobody else could find it.” Setting the goodies down on the desk, she glanced back over to Jen. “Thank you so much. Mac is good to share his gifts when he can, but this was the first year that anyone actually sent a staff gift.”

“The business doesn’t get done if you don’t have the right support.” Jen nodded. “A good assistant deserves perks, too.”

“Oh, there’ve always been perks, but lately they’ve been in abundance.” Tessa returned to her seat behind the desk. “We’ve been blessed these last few months. In fact, if it wasn’t for you, I wouldn’t have made it to visit my Daddy before he passed away.”

“I’m so sorry.”

“Don’t be. I’d guess that he’s happier now than he ever was on this earth.” Clearing her throat, she reached toward the phone on the desk. “He’ll be after me if I don’t let him know you’re here. He was over the moon when he saw you were on his schedule today.” Her finger paused over the button. “Mac has a heart of gold, but this business can really wear a body and spirit down. You’ve put new life in him, Jen. He looks better than he has in years.” Not waiting for a response, she lifted the receiver to her ear and pressed the intercom button, grinning when he picked up. “Mac, honey, you didn’t mention that this girl is as cute as a pixie. And she bakes, to boot.” Jen snorted back a laugh as Tessa winked at her. “Yes, sir, I think she brought some for you, too.” There was a pause. “Yep. You’ve got it.” Hanging up the phone, she leaned back in her chair. “He’ll be right out.”

Lisa had just picked up the second basket when the door behind the desk opened and Mac came breezing through, all smiles. “Jenny! So glad you came in.”

“Hi, Mac.” Jen grinned as he approached, stepping into his hug. “It’s good to see you.” She let out a laugh. “We come bearing treats.”

“So I’ve heard.” He released her, turning toward Lisa with a welcoming smile. “And you must be Lisa. It’s a pleasure.” Stepping back, he held the door open. “Please come in, ladies.” As they passed by, he sent a glance toward Tessa. “I’m expecting to hear from John Stevens today. If he calls before we’re done, just take a message. I’ll get back to him.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Thank you, Tessa.” Closing the door behind him, he turned to find that the basket had been placed on his desk, both Jen and Lisa wandering to look at the framed pictures on the walls. “So, Jenny, Lisa … what brings you in today?”

“Is this Eric Clapton?” Jen’s voice was filled with awe as she gestured to one of the photos.

“It is. I’ve had the pleasure of meeting a few of the heavy-hitters over the years.” With a smile, he took the seat behind his desk. “Whenever a client is nominated for an award, there’s a possibility I get to tag along as a seat-filler. That was taken at the Grammy Awards in ’93.”

Tears in Heaven is one of my favorites. I think it was the first major acoustic piece I taught myself after I completed the Advanced Theory book.”

“Well, my dear, I’d wager that one of these days, there’s going to be young people across the country learning your music in the same fashion.” He leaned forward, his arms crossing on the desktop. “As happy as I am to see you, I must say I was surprised that you wanted a meeting. Is everything going well? Do you have questions?”

“Yes and yes.” Jen laughed quietly, taking a seat and looking over as Lisa did the same. “I actually opened a bank statement over the weekend, and you can imagine my shock at how different it looks lately. It’s come to my attention that even though I generally keep my hopes low, being completely unaware of what’s happening with my business may not be the best track for me to take here.”

“I see. It’s amazing what one hit record can do, isn’t it?” His fingers ran through his hair. “That’s all it takes to get the ball rolling.”

One Sweet Day really did that well?”

“Between single sales, album sales and radio play, yes. It’s a phenomenal song, Jen.”

“How is that possible?” Lisa shifted in her seat. “I know I’m not familiar with the entertainment industry at all, but wouldn’t the artist receive the bulk of the royalties?”

“Believe it or not, unless the artist writes, arranges and publishes the song, he’s the low man on the totem pole.” Mac leaned back, his arms raising to cross over his chest. “Not only did they attain the rights to record the lyrics, they also kept much of the original arrangement. Since they didn’t provide an entirely new backing track, she also retains a portion of that credit as well.” The corner of his mouth kicked up. “Add that to the fact that we’re operating as our own publisher, and the percentage of royalties payable to Jen is well above what your average songwriter would receive.”

“I’m my own publisher?” Jen’s brow furrowed. “That was the paperwork I had to sign for the whole JennyTunes thing, right?” She glanced over to Lisa. “That’s the business name on the portfolio account, but I never really understood what that meant.”

“One of the reasons I left Universal with Alex was because I felt we were stripping the clients we were representing of a large portion of the earnings they were due.” His chest lifted with a sigh. “Publishing companies have the potential to make a killing on a portfolio like yours. Yes, you would probably still have seen a rather impressive payout for your work, but a large portion of that income would’ve been withheld by the company. Not only would they receive the publisher’s portion of the royalties, they would also likely be entitled to a percentage of your portion as well, depending on your agreement.”

“And Jen’s agreement with you is … what, exactly?” Lisa tilted her head, studying him across the desk. “How is it any different than what she would’ve had if she’d signed with a large publishing firm?”

“Rather than having all the strings attached, our agreement is for a single percentage of royalties. I represent Jenny as songwriter, arranger, composer and publisher. Word is traveling fast, and it’s not unusual for me to field multiple requests to view her portfolio in a day. Each artist represents potential earnings, so responses are made promptly, and we hope that they result in agreements for recording. After royalties are compiled and paid to my agency, I deduct my twenty five percent and the rest is deposited directly into the business account she set up.” Mac let his eyes meet Lisa’s. “Upon her graduation, she is free to decide if she wishes to keep her agreement with me, or if she would prefer to move to a larger agency. My hope is that she’ll extend our contract, but that’s her choice.” His focus moved to Jen. “I don’t think we discussed the government’s portion of the royalties. Taxes are not withheld from your deposits and things are about to begin booming, so I strongly suggest acquiring an accountant. I have all the financial paperwork that you’ll need to handle the filing process. You can either have the taxes withdrawn from each deposit or submit a single tax payment when you file at the end of the year.”

“I guess it’s a good thing I know a fabulous accountant.” Jen smiled sweetly toward her mother. “What do you say, Mom? Can I bribe you out of retirement to crunch my numbers and maybe play with some investing?”

“I’d consider it.” Lisa’s brow arched playfully. “What’s the bribe?”

“Chocolate chunk cookies for life?” A laugh escaped. “Or how about a new car? Heck, I could buy us both a new car.”

“Don’t get too excited, Jenny …”

“By all means, let her get excited.” Mac leaned forward over the desk. “She has reason to. One Sweet Day was just the beginning.”

“There’s more? What else is going on?”

“Where would you like to start?” He gestured to a pair of large filing cabinets across the room. “That’s all you. The one on the left is for requests to view material. The one on the right is signed contracts for either lyrics, or both the lyrics and arrangements. Those are the ones most likely to end up on an album, if they haven’t already. You’ve also had a great response to some of the material you’ve submitted for the film projects I’ve sent you. I’ve been grinding it out over payment contracts with different studios for the past few months, making sure you’re getting the best deal I can finalize.”

“Really?” Jen blinked in surprise. “Which ones?”

“Disney acquired the rights for Go the Distance for an animated feature currently in development, used both in the body of the film and as a pop single during the credits. A representative from Fox tells me they’ve narrowed their selections down and will likely run with At the Beginning for one of their animated features.” Rising from his chair, he moved to the cabinet and pulled open the top drawer, flipping through the files until he found the folder he was looking for. “Tom Hanks is producing a movie that will feature and be named after That Thing You Do. It releases later this year. He wanted it pretty badly, and I was able to get a sweet deal signed for it.”

“Tom Hanks?” Lisa’s hand gripped Jen’s wrist. “You wrote a song for Tom Hanks?”

“Well, I didn’t know it at the time, but yeah. I guess so.” Her head shook back and forth slowly. “It’s just a silly little song that wrote itself in thirty minutes. All I had to do was play with the track and it was done. This is crazy.”

Who Would Imagine A King has been acquired for a Christmas film release this year, with Whitney Houston performing the track.” Biting back a grin, Mac continued. “And your friend Eric up there recorded a version of Change the World for the Phenomenon film soundtrack. It was released as a commercial single on the fifth. The Wynonna Judd version was included on her February release, but won’t likely be a single.”

“You’re kidding!” Brown eyes sparked with excitement. “I loved that guitar melody. Did he keep it?”

“I believe he did. You could always go buy a copy to hear it for yourself.”

“I can, can’t I?” Jen cast a quick glance toward Lisa. “We’re stopping on the way home.” Her focus came back to Mac. “Anything else I should know?”

“There’s a few notables that aren’t movie related.” He returned the file to the cabinet, his fingers flipping over the tops of the folders. “She Drew A Broken Heart was included on the last Patty Loveless album. There’s a possibility that it’ll be released as an eventual single. Don’t Speak was recorded by a group out of California and released as a radio single in April. It’s getting great airplay response so far, but they don’t intend to release a commercial single at this time. Gloria Estefan recorded Reach for her latest release, and I’m not sure if you’ve been watching the Olympic Games, but it was selected as one of the themes for the event. It’s getting quite a bit of prime time airplay and they’ll include it on the album released after the closing ceremonies.”

“Oh, wow.” She sat back, her head spinning. “Is that it?”

“Almost. After the success she had in Japan with To Love You More, Celine Dion is constantly checking over your new material. Call the Man was included on her March release in the U.S., which is selling remarkably well. You’ll see a great payout for that one, even if it never becomes a single. Several contracts have been signed for the recording rights to other songs, we just have to wait and see if they get released. There’s been some interest in your composition work for commercial use, but nothing solid yet. I’m finalizing the agreement for the printing rights for the simple sheet music of One Sweet Day.” Mac opened the other cabinet, his brow furrowing as he looked over one of the files. “And I’ve gotten numerous requests for updated material from a Johnny Wright.”

“Oh, really?” Jen felt a smile forming. “Johnny’s a good friend, so we want to do anything we can for him. If he’s looking for something specific, please let me know.”

“Certainly.” Removing the pen from his pocket, he made a few notes in the file. “For right now, that’s all I have to report. There’s several possibilities floating around, so I’ll let you know if anything else becomes definite.”

“Thank you.” Standing up, she moved across the room and hugged him. “For everything. I never dreamed anything like this would be happening.”

“This is all you, Jenny.” With a quiet laugh, he gave her a squeeze in return. “You’ve built this vehicle, and I’m just trying to help you steer it.” Looking down at her, he grinned. “I’ve gotten some great feedback on your full vocal arrangements as well. It seems more people are wanting to know who the voice is behind the songs. I don’t handle artist representation, but if that’s something you’re interested in, I can make a few calls. Even if you never want to release a vocal recording, your instrumentals could make for a fabulous series of albums.” A slight redness entered his cheeks. “Brian was kind enough to put together a few discs that I keep at home. I hope you don’t mind.”

“Of course I don’t mind. If you hear something you like, it’s yours.” She looked over toward Lisa. “I think we need to celebrate, don’t you?”

“Sounds good to me.” Lisa stood with a smile, stepping around her chair and toward the door. “What did you have in mind?”

“I know a great little pizza place downtown. The breadsticks practically melt in your mouth.” Glancing at the clock on the wall, Jen turned to Mac. “It’s past lunch time. Would you and Tessa be able to join us? My treat.”

“I …” Trailing off in uncertainty, his eyes moved over his young client, then skipped up to her mother, who was nodding encouragingly behind Jen’s back. “That would be wonderful. We’d love to.”

He held the door open for them, and as they passed through, Lisa paused briefly before him, her hand resting on his arm as she leaned in to speak softly. “Thank you for taking care of her. It’s a relief to know that she has good people watching out for her whenever I’m back home.”

“It’s been my pleasure.” Mac smiled, propping the door with his foot so that he could cover her hand with his. “She’s a wonderful person who has a magic I’ve never seen in any of my other clients. I’ll do everything I can to protect both Jenny and her work.” With a wink, he nudged Lisa on through the doorway so that they could both see his assistant talking to Jen, gesturing animatedly with a half-eaten cookie in her fingers. “And I believe Tessa will be more than happy to tear apart anybody who might make it around me.”

Chapter Sixteen by Renee

 

January 13, 1997

“She’s not a guest, Sara. She’s family.”

Diane’s voice carried from the door of the warehouse, and JC opened his eyes, careful not to tilt his head too far as he looked around the woman applying his makeup for that day’s filming, trying to see what was going on in the mirror. A grin quickly formed when he saw the reflection and he sat back, sending a glance to the teen sitting in one of the chairs to the side, waiting for his turn with the makeup artist. “Hey, J.”

“Hmm?” Not even looking up, Justin flipped a page and continued to focus on the article he was reading.

“Look who’s here.”

“What?” Brow furrowed, blue eyes came away from the issue of Sports Illustrated in his hands. “Who’s here?”

“Seriously, man.” JC laughed, gesturing behind them with his thumb. “Check it out.”

“What?” Still confused, Justin turned his attention in the direction JC was pointing, a bright smile breaking across his features as he dropped the magazine and jumped up from his seat, taking off at a sprint across the large room. “Shorty! You made it!”

“Barely.” Her eyes were wide as he descended upon her and she braced herself for his exuberant hug. “Blondie back there really didn’t want to let me in the door.”

“Oh, that’s just Sara. She’s one of Johnny’s crew.”

“She looks familiar.” There was a tug on her bag, and she glanced down to see Diane’s fingers wrapped around the strap. With a grateful smile, Jen let her take it, then looked over in the blonde’s direction. “Isn’t she the girl from your last video?”

“Yeah. She was already there and being paid, so Johnny had her pulling double duty.” Picking her up, he started walking toward the wardrobe area. “You’ve got perfect timing, Jen. Jace is still in makeup, so the rest of us get you for a little while.”

“I can walk, you know.” She laughed, hugging him around the neck. “It’s so good to see you, J.”

“You, too. I was really bummed we weren’t able to meet up before we had to be here for filming.” His arms squeezed her tightly and he pressed a kiss into her hair. “We head back to Sweden as soon as we finish the video, and it wouldn’t have been right to not see you again this trip, sis.”

“Yeah, I know. I’m sorry, kiddo.” Turning her head, she caught JC’s wink in the mirror as they passed, returning it with a smile and a wave. “I’ve been kind of busy.”

“I’ll bet you have.” He stepped around the corner, where the others were being outfitted in black pants and various types of white shirt. “Hey guys … look who’s here!”

“Gracie!” Chris glanced up first, grinning as he pushed between the clothes on the rack and moved toward them. “How does it feel to be both a Golden Globe and a Grammy nominee?”

“Weird.” She heard footsteps approaching and released her hold on Justin’s neck, trying to twist around so she could see them. “People suddenly want to know who I am.”

“That’s what happens when you come out of nowhere and take the world by storm.” With a laugh, he reached up to thump Justin on the shoulder. “Dude, put her down. The rest of us need hugs, too.”

A playfully defiant expression came across the teen’s face and Jen groaned over his shoulder. “Come on, J. I had to be on the road by four to make sure I got here before filming started.” Leaning back, she gave him a pleading look and kicked her feet. “It’s already been a long day. No funny stuff. Not before I’ve had a nap. Please?”

“You had to break out the sad eyes, didn’t you? Damn.” Rolling his eyes to mask his concern at the weariness in her tone, he sighed and leaned down until she was standing. “Okay, okay. There you go.”

“Thanks, little bro.” She smiled up at him, squeezing him around the waist before turning to the others. “I was kind of afraid I wasn’t going to make it, but Mac agreed with me that all those interview requests could wait until either closer to the ceremony, or afterward.” Stepping forward, she leaned into Chris’ hug. “It builds mystery or whatever. And nobody wants to make a big deal out of the losers, anyway.”

“Hey, now.” Chris looked down at her, brow furrowed. “Why do you think you’re going to lose?”

“Because I’ve learned to keep my hopes low.” Her shoulders shook with laughter. “If I start out with no expectations, then I can’t really be disappointed, can I?”

“After the year you just had, I’d say you’re already winning, Hot Stuff.” Joey spun her around until she slammed into his chest, then wrapped his arms around her. “This would just be a bonus, right?”

“Exactly, Joe Bear.” Returning his hug, she grinned. “Icing on the cupcake. Besides, I’m not too amped for the Globes, anyway. Mac says our focus should be more on the Grammys, so I’m not even going to the other ceremony.”

“Smart thinking. Change the World is unique and has a really cool groove. Wynonna’s version is fantastic, but Clapton was the perfect way to deliver it for wide release.” Lance joined them, scratching his neck. “I think you’ve got it in the bag.”

“Tell that to Diane Warren and Babyface.” She sighed and shook her head, then moved over for her last hug. “I wish I had the confidence you guys have. Considering who I’m up against, I’ll just be happy to be there.” Letting out another laugh, she glanced around at them all. “I’ve never even been to New York and my first visit is for the Grammy Awards. How crazy is that?”

“Just make sure to have a great acceptance speech ready, Boof. I’m pretty sure you’re gonna need it.” JC approached the group, shrugging into a long-sleeved white button-down shirt. “They’re ready for you, J. Stefan’s finishing up blocking a few things, then he’ll be getting us going.” As Justin walked away, he turned toward Jen with a smile, arms lifted slightly at his sides. “My turn?”

“I suppose … if I have to.” With a half-hearted shrug, she went to him, fighting back a smile when she felt him pulling her tightly into his chest. Closing her eyes, she rested her cheek against the soft fabric of his shirt and looped her arms around his waist. For a moment, she relaxed into him, then took a deep breath and let her eyes blink open, meeting the icy glare Sara was sending her from across the room. Her brow furrowed in confusion, then she let it go and tilted her head back to grin up at him. “You look good in black and white.”

“Thanks. This is one of the dancing and photo shoot outfits. They had us in all black yesterday.” He leaned down and kissed the top of her head. “How long can you stay?”

“If I can get a hotel room, I was hoping to be here until Wednesday. There’s a payphone in the parking lot, so I’ll check for a phone book and call around from my cell to see what I can find.”

“Don’t worry about it. They’ve got us in rooms at the hotel down the block and you can just crash with one of us.”

“Yeah.” Lance spoke up, kneeling to make sure his shoelaces were tied tightly. “I can move in with Mom and you can take my spot with Jace.”

“Are you sure?” Jen looked toward Lance with an appreciative smile. “I don’t want to put anybody out.”

“Oh, absolutely. She’s got a suite at the end of the hall, so there’s lots more room with her.” Laughing quietly, he stood and arched an eyebrow at her. “Did you really just say you got a cell phone?”

“Mom decided to throw her weight around.” With a sarcastic eye roll, she looked to the ceiling. “When she saw how busy I was with last fall’s schedule, she took over as my go-between with Mac and thinks she needs to be able to contact me at all times, just in case something monumental happens. Or, you know, if I end up broken down in the middle of nowhere, then I can call in the cavalry.” Her fingers slipped into her pocket and pulled out the compact, folding phone, passing it over for him to check out. “It’s handy, even if it does look like something straight out of Clueless.”

“Cool. I can see how it’d be awesome to get updates with that.” Joey leaned over, watching as Lance flipped it open and played with the antennae. “Is that how you found out about your nomination?”

“Actually, we were standing in the kitchen when Mac called.” Her eyes came up to meet JC’s, sparking with humor. “If you think my kitchen dancing is something to see, you should’ve seen us right then. We didn’t even hang up the phone, just went crazy and let him hear it all.” Giggling quietly, she tightened her arms around his waist and turned to face Lance. “But I did get some good news during my drive here. Tim McGraw signed a recording agreement for one of my tracks.”

“No way.” Green eyes skipped up to her, flashing with excitement. “Seriously?”

“He’s working on an album right now, so we’ll have to wait and see if it makes it onto the final cut, but he’s definitely interested.” With a smile, she watched as her phone was passed to Joey. “Amazingly, I’ve got people now, so I’m hoping to wrangle up a promise for an autographed copy of the project.”

“Girlie, you’re the best.”

“I’m trying, anyway.” She laughed when he began bouncing on his toes. “Your mom took my bag when I came in. If you can find her, there’s something in the side pocket to hold you over until we see if I can deliver on Tim. I hope Martina ranks as high as he does.”

“Oh my God. Martina?” Not caring that she was still hugged against JC, Lance leaned over and kissed her cheek, then took off in search of her bag, nearly skipping like a little kid.

The group laughed as they watched him pull out the CD case, gesturing animatedly to Diane as he pointed out the colorful cover art, and Chris turned to her with a grin. “We never get to see Lance act his age. Good job, Gracie.”

“Well, I’m glad I could make his day. She was nice enough to offer me an advance copy of the country single mix of Valentine. I don’t think they’ve even decided if they’re going to release it to that format yet.” Taking her phone from Chris, she tucked it back into her pocket and smiled as she returned Lance’s wave of thanks, her gaze clashing once again with the blonde girl’s angry stare. “I wish everyone was that easy to please.”

JC leaned down until he could whisper in her ear. “You made my day just by walking in the door.” Kissing her forehead, he straightened up and released her as the director began yelling loudly, calling everyone into their spots. “Time to go to work.”

“Have fun.” She gestured around the warehouse. “Where can I hang out that’s out of the way?” A deep yawn escaped. “Or maybe take a nap?”

“Tired, huh?” His eyes narrowed when he saw the exhaustion in her expression. “They haven’t started getting the non-dancing shots ready yet, so I don’t think we’re using the couches until tomorrow. There’s some pillows floating around with the furniture, and you might even be able to see the routine from there.” He pointed out a crowded corner. “Hospitality is set up over there, so grab a drink or something to eat and get comfy. I’ll come find you when we get a break, okay?”

“Okay.”

His hands came to her face, tilting her chin up until he could kiss her lips quickly. “I’m so glad you made it, Boof.” With a wink and a grin, he spun around and jogged over to where the others were waiting, taking his place and listening to the director’s instruction.

The track began echoing around the warehouse, and she stood there watching them go through the dance routine for the opening and first verse of the song a few times – never with the same combination of guys, flashing strobe lights creating a camera shot effect – then made her way to collect her bag and a hug from Diane. They chatted for a few minutes before Jen left her with a few crew members and walked over to the couches JC had pointed out earlier, sending a friendly smile to the staging guys working to assemble a bed further on down the warehouse. With a quick glance toward the direction of filming, she was satisfied that she’d still be able to see what was going on and made herself comfortable on the soft furniture.

A shadow fell over her as she was reaching into her bag for her journal, and she looked up to find Sara standing over her. “Hi.” Jen abandoned the book with a smile, hoping to soften the girl with a nicer introduction. “I’m Jen.”

“I know.” Stone-faced, Sara dropped down on the cushions next to her, making no secret of how she was sizing Jen up. “Sara.”

“Nice to meet you, Sara.” Hiding her discomfort, Jen tried to start a conversation. “Have you worked with the guys long?”

“Johnny brought me on back in August, when they were recording the first single.” The blonde blinked at her, as if trying to decide if she were worth the effort. “I manage their calendar, arrange their transportation and lodging … you know, make sure things run smoothly.”

“An important job. I’m sure they appreciate all you do.”

“They do.” Blue eyes looked her over once again. “More than you probably think.”

“O-okay.” Jen’s brow wrinkled a bit in confusion, her gaze skipping over to where the staging crew had gathered behind the couch. “Is there something I can do for you?”

“At first, I thought you might be a little sister, because you look really young, but you don’t resemble any of them at all.” Sara tossed her hair over her shoulder. “So now I’m just wondering which one you’re with.” One eyebrow arched questioningly. “Or are you equal opportunity?”

“I … I …” For a second, Jen thought she might have misunderstood her, but then she heard a choked sound from the crew nearby. “Excuse me?”

“Are you a bed warmer for one guy in particular, or do they pass you around?” Sara’s expression didn’t begin to hide that she thought Jen might be slow. “From their reactions when you got here, I figured they probably shared you, but then I thought you might have at least a little bit of sense to stick to the ones that are of age.”

“I’m sorry. What?”

“You don’t really have the classy look of somebody they’d pay for. In fact, you don’t look like something anyone would pay for. Are you working off a debt to Lou or something?” That icy glare moved over Jen once again, making her skin crawl with a dirty feeling. “Johnny won’t go for that, you know. He tries his best to run a clean ship.” There was a silence between them as Jen simply stared at her, her tired mind trying to decide how to react, and a smirk settled on Sara’s features. “Do you want me to call you a cab, sweetie? I highly doubt your services are going to be needed during this shoot. Even if it’s just for the hotel rooms, they expect someone who’s a little easier on the eyes.”

Across the room, one of the staging crew stopped beside Diane, leaning down so that he could lower his voice. “You might want to rescue your girl.”

“What?” Diane looked at him, then glanced in the direction he was nodding, her eyes widening when she saw Jen and Sara sharing a sofa closer to the filming area. “What’s going on?”

“Blondie over there just asked her if she was the group prostitute, then offered to call her a cab because she didn’t think she was classy enough to be paid.”

“Oh, God.” Jumping to her feet, Diane fairly ran toward the girls, her pace only slowing to keep from drawing the attention of the group dancing in front of the camera. Once she was close enough, she called out. “Jen?”

“Yeah?” The response was uncharacteristically clipped, and Diane couldn’t tell if she was about to burst into tears or start ripping out Sara’s hair.

“Jenny, honey, why don’t you come with me to get a snack?” Sending a sharp look toward Sara, Diane reached out to touch Jen’s arm. “We haven’t gotten to talk in weeks, and I’d like to catch up. Lance was showing me the new single earlier …” As Jen stood, Diane leaned in closer and whispered. “Do not leave your bag here. Bring it with you.”

“That sounds great, Diane. I’d like that.” Bending down, she picked up her bag, then turned back toward Sara. “Nice talk, Sara. Let’s not do it again.”

“You run along, sweetie.” Sara slid over to the spot Jen had just vacated and settled further into the cushions, a satisfied smile crossing her face as her eyes shot icy daggers at the small brunette. Her shoulders shrugged dismissively, her attention turning to where the guys were dancing. “I’ll keep an eye on him … them and you just make yourself scarce. You’re not needed here.”

“Start walking, Jen. Don’t look back.” Diane’s hand tightened around Jen’s arm, steering her away from the couch and toward the opposite side of the warehouse. “I’m so sorry. I wasn’t paying attention and she got away from me.”

“What … what was that?” Wide brown eyes looked to the older woman, weary confusion evident in her gaze. “Does she do that to everybody? Or is it just me?”

“Oh, she’s a perfect angel when Johnny’s around.” With a sigh, Diane led her to a chair and let her drop into it. “The rest of us … well, let’s just say that Lynn isn’t here because she refuses to be anywhere near her unless we’re traveling. And she had poor Janine in tears when she came over to see us last fall. At least, until Joey made it clear that his sister wasn’t to be messed with.”

“So she really just told me to stay away from Josh?”

“Afraid so, honey. She’s been after him since she joined the crew.”

“But … does he …”

“Even if he could see past you to anyone else, he’d never give her the time of day.” Sitting down next to her, Diane’s hand covered Jen’s. “I promise, Jenny. He’s only civil to her because he has to be. None of them have any use for her other than what she’s hired to do. Even then, they barely tolerate her.”

“Then why is she still here? I can’t imagine Johnny would …”

“Johnny gave her the job, and those boys aren’t about to rock the boat.” She shrugged, shaking her head. “They’ll do anything to keep this thing going, even if it means putting up with the daughter of Satan on a daily basis.” Forcing a smile, Diane gestured toward where the food was set up. “I was actually serious about the snack and chat, but I can tell you’re worn out.”

“I’m running on fumes. Between the pieces I’m trying to finish, my lessons and volunteering at the Center, prepping for the new semester and now the Grammy stuff, I’ve been pulling long hours since Christmas. I probably shouldn’t have come down, but I just …” Her eyes skipped over to where JC was running through the routine again. “I needed to be here. This morning was an exceptionally early start on not nearly enough sleep.” Casting a longing glance toward the couches she’d just fled, Jen cleared her throat. “If I’d had a little more time before the harpy invaded, I would’ve been pretty much unconscious.”

“Give me a few minutes, and I’ll try to work something out.” Another member of the staging crew paused on his way around their table and leaned into their conversation. “Do you want to be able to see the filming?”

“That would be awesome.” She sent him a grateful smile. “Are you sure you don’t mind?”

“They brought in too much furniture for this shoot, so we’re having to move some of it anyway.” He chuckled under his breath. “We’ve not had the best of experiences with her, either, so it’ll be my pleasure to ruffle Blondie’s feathers a bit.” Pointing in the direction of where they’d been setting up the bed, he nodded. “They’re not using that area until later this evening, so I’m going to move one of the larger couches over there. By the time you grab something to eat, we’ll have you ready to go.” Looking to Diane, his brow arched. “You’ll probably want to stick with her. It might keep the Ice Queen from trying anything else.”

“Thank you so much.” Diane stood and motioned for Jen to do the same. “It’s just a little after nine, so they still have breakfast set out. Let’s go see if there are any muffins left and we’ll get you situated, okay?”

“Sounds fabulous.”

True to his word, by the time she’d finished a muffin, drained a cup of orange juice and picked up a bottle of water, the staging crew had completely rearranged the area where she’d been before and one of the crew members was tossing a few pillows on the promised couch that was now placed at the foot of the bed. As the ladies approached, he sent them a wink and walked away, leaving them to get comfortable.

Dropping her bag to the floor and slipping off her shoes, Jen grabbed a pillow and curled up against the armrest, sighing in relief as she settled in. “This is heaven.”

With a laugh, Diane sat down on the other end and reached out to pat the girl’s leg. “Get some rest, honey. I’ll make sure she doesn’t get to you again.”

“Thanks.” Blinking sleepily, she pressed her cheek into the pillow, focusing on JC dancing in front of the cameras. A small smile lifted her lips and she felt her breathing deepen, darkness coming over her as she fell asleep.

About an hour later, there was a break to reset for a different type of shot and the guys all headed in various directions. JC went directly toward the couch, noticing that it had been moved from earlier, a grin brightening his expression as he saw how relaxed Jen was. “Hey, Diane.”

“Hey, Jace. It’s looking good.” Standing up, she stretched her arms over her head. “This isn’t lunch, is it?”

“No, they’re just resetting for the next shots. We’ve got about twenty minutes to rest and lunch will be in a few hours.”

“All right. Are you okay to stay with her for a little while? I need to visit the little girls’ room.”

“Yeah, I’ll be here.” He glanced down at Jen, then back up to Diane. “Why? Is she okay?”

“I lost track of Sara earlier and … I’m sorry.” The older woman shook her head in frustration. “She got to her. By the time I was able to run interference, it was too late.”

“Damn it.” The smile dropped from his face. Crouching next to the couch, he let his fingers run through Jen’s hair. “How bad was it?”

“I couldn’t tell. The poor girl was so exhausted, I don’t think she really knew how to react.” Diane looked around, making sure Sara wasn’t close. “One of the staging crew had to come get me. Apparently, the witch implied that Jen was the group prostitute, and a sad excuse for one, at that.”

“That piece of …” He growled under his breath. “I’ll take care of it.”

“Please do. I’ll be back soon.”

As she walked away, he stood up, then leaned down close to Jen’s ear. “Jenny?”

“Hmmm?” With a deep breath, she stirred slightly.

“Sit up for a second, Boof. I’m gonna hang with you for a little bit.”

Her eyes never opened as she sluggishly tried to sit up, and he let out a laugh, reaching around her and picking her up so that he could settle on the couch with her in his lap. She automatically snuggled into his chest, one arm looping around his neck as her breathing steadied. He tilted his chin down, pressing a kiss to the side of her head and beginning to rock slightly from side to side. When Sara entered the edge of his vision, approaching them quickly, he tightened his arms around Jen, pulling her even closer to him.

“Hey, Jace, do you need …”

“No.” He cut her off, not even sparing her a glance.

“But, I just …”

“Back off, Sara.” His tone was hard, slicing through the air. “Now.”

Okay.” She let out an exasperated huff. “What’s got you so pissy?”

“You really have to ask?” Stormy blue eyes came up to her, and his anger was evident. “We all know you’re a bitch on the highest level, but Jen is off limits. Leave her alone.”

“My God.” A trilling laugh bounced around the warehouse, and the rumble of voices from the crew went silent as all attention was drawn to them. “She’s gonna be gone in a few days, Jace. She’s not even a blip. It’s not like she matters.”

“She matters far more than you ever will.” He looked down when Jen stiffened against him and let his fingers comb into her hair to comfort her. “Jenny has been a part of this family since the beginning, and you’ll treat her as if she’s one of us, or you won’t be around her at all. Yes, she’s only here for a few days … this time. She will be around in the future, and whenever she’s with me, she’ll feel welcome, or we’ll remove you from the equation completely. Do you understand me?”

“Whatever.” Sara shrugged indifferently, shaking her head as she began to mumble. “Little tramp isn’t worth …”

“Excuse me?” If possible, his voice became even more sharp, carrying clearly around the entire building, and Sara’s eyes widened. “Do you want to finish that a little louder, where we can all hear you?” There was a shifting sound, Chris emerging from the crowd around the hospitality area and coming their direction with a few bottles of water, his brow furrowing when he saw the deadly fury blazing a deep red across JC’s face. “If you want to have any chance in hell of keeping this job, then you’ll listen to me very closely. You will never refer to her as a tramp or imply that she’s a prostitute ever again. She’s mine, and you will show her respect. Pull back the bitchiness or consider yourself gone.” The fire snapping in his gaze would’ve burned her alive if he’d had the power. “Is that clear, Sara? Or do I need to dumb it down for you?”

“Johnny wouldn’t …” For the first time, there was a hesitation in the blonde’s expression. “You can’t …”

“Try us.” Chris came upon them and dropped the bottles on the cushions before facing her and crossing his arms. “Johnny probably wouldn’t have given us a chance in the first place if it wasn’t for Gracie. He holds her in fairly high regard, so I’d bet that he wouldn’t take too kindly to one of his staff using terms like tramp and prostitute to describe her.  The odds of him giving up a good relationship with a musical goldmine just to keep on a bitchy little assistant probably don’t fall in your favor.” Tilting his head, he grinned when Sara swallowed nervously. “Jenny tries to keep things lowkey, so most people don’t realize who she is. Not only did she write the current number one song on the Billboard chart, she wrote the longest-running Billboard number one of all time and she’s the youngest Song of the Year nominee in Grammy history. Not to mention that she spoils Johnny with the best peanut butter bars on the planet.” Glancing to the side, he took in JC’s unusually hostile expression. “There’s really no reason for you to be here. It’s not like you’re doing anything other than pissing people off. If I were you, I’d take a long walk and keep my head down for a little while.”

It was so quiet as Sara turned and walked away that everyone could hear her sneakers scraping against the warehouse floor, then the squeaking of the door hinges as she pushed her way outside. The slamming of the door behind her was a trigger, setting off the activity of the video shoot as if there hadn’t been an interruption. Crew members turned back to working on getting the cameras reset, moving around the rigging so that the angles would be different. The makeup artist had Lance in her chair, touching up his forehead as the hairdresser quickly worked on his hair.

“Well, that was exciting.” Plopping down on the couch, Chris reached for a bottle of water. “You okay?”

“Yeah.” Taking deep breaths, JC closed his eyes and tilted his head down, his lips moving against Jen’s hair. “I’m all right.”

“How’s it possible that she slept through all that?” Dark eyes twinkled with humor, taking in her peaceful face. “You were practically screaming right next to her ear.”

“She’s just like me. Normally a light sleeper, but once she hits the wall, she’s out.” With a self-deprecating grin, he straightened up a bit. “I could tell she was wearing herself out when I talked to her the other day, and I almost told her that it would be okay if she didn’t make the trip. But I was selfish because I really wanted to see her before we left.” His arms tightened around her. “I don’t care if she sleeps the entire time she’s here. She’s where I can keep an eye on her – at least for a few days – and that’s all I needed.”

“It’s okay, Jace. Her world is starting to go a little crazy, so I’m pretty sure you’re what she needs right now, too.” Clearing his throat, Chris arched an eyebrow. “For a guy who’s so dead-set against putting names on anything, mine is a really strong label to be throwing around.”

“I know. It just kind of slipped out.” JC chuckled quietly, one hand beginning to rub slow circles on Jen’s back. “My brain decided to take the back seat for a little while.”

“Maybe it wouldn’t be such a bad thing if your brain stayed in the back seat.” He offered a bottle of water, only to set it back down when JC shook his head. “You know she’s just waiting for you to give the word, right? All you have to do is say it and she’d be all in.”

“You have no idea how badly I want to.” Sighing deeply, he shifted her against him. “But I know how she is. When she’s in, she’s in one hundred percent, and I won’t be something that distracts her from what she’s doing here.” Blue eyes met brown. “She’s always talked about getting her degree and doing something amazing with her life. If I go ahead and make us more, her focus will be divided, and she might decide to step away from things for me. I’m not gonna let her do that.”

“So you just keep letting her wait?”

“She’s not the only one waiting, you know. But if that’s what she wants, then yes.” He looked down when she tightened her arm around his neck, humming softly into his chest before settling again. “If nothing changes, she knows that once she graduates, I’m coming after her. And when I do, she’s gonna have a hard time getting away from me. On the flip side, she also knows that if she finds someone else who’ll make her happier, then she’s free to move on.”

“Sure.” Chris snorted back a laugh. “Right.”

“Yeah, that’s what I’m hoping for.” A smile lifted JC’s features, the angry redness from minutes before fading away. “I’m really hoping I end up being the best thing in her world. But first, I want her to experience everything she can while I’m out of pocket.”

“That’s a good way to look at it. But you’re already the best thing in her world. If you weren’t, I don’t think she would’ve left home before the crack of dawn and driven four hours just to sit on a couch and watch you do the same dance routine over and over for days.”

“She didn’t drive that far to watch him dance.” Diane spoke up as she propped her hip against the arm rest of the couch, a small bottle of juice in her hand. “She came so she could be with him before he left again.” With a smile, she nodded toward the girl in JC’s arms. “That’s love, boys. Not just for Jace, but for all of you, in one way or another.” They all looked up when the director began calling everyone back to their places. “That’s you. I know Sara’s gone for now, but I’m still going to stay here with her.”

“Thanks.” JC grinned toward her as he stood, lifting Jen with him. Leaning over, he laid her back on the soft cushions, reaching for the pillow so he could wrap her arm around it instead of his neck. Making sure she was comfortable, he kissed the top of her head and straightened his clothes, bending down to grab a bottle of water, draining half of it on his way back to set.

*********************

By the time they were given a lunch break, Jen was upright and alert, even if still a little weary. Hugging her pillow to her chest, she smiled as JC headed her direction, then continued her conversation. “Well, I don’t know, Mac. At this point, I’m not exactly a popular face. How many seats are they giving me?” Swinging her feet to the ground, her hand patted the cushion next to her so he’d sit down. “Five? Wow. Okay, so Mom and Maggie, definitely. And you.” Her tone turned warning. “And don’t you dare think of yourself as a seat filler. You’re family.” Lowering the mouthpiece to her shoulder, she gave JC an impish grin. “How about you? Want to come to the Grammys next month?”

“You know I’d love to, Boof, but I just can’t this time.” His arm went around her shoulders, pulling her into his side as he let his chin rest on the top of her head. “We’ll have to shoot for next year.”

“I knew you’d say that, but I wanted to ask anyway. Next year it is.” Jen smiled, stretching up to kiss his cheek before putting the phone back to her ear. “That makes four. How about we count Brian? He’s been so good to me, and I’m sure he’d like to mingle with the Clapton crowd.” She went silent, listening as Mac gave her instructions. “All right. I’ll call Maggie after lunch and get her to talk to him. I’ll have a definite answer for you by four. Will that work?” Shifting with a sigh, she pressed into JC until she could lean her head against his chest. “Sure. Wait, what was that about clothes? Seriously? It has to be designer? You know I’d much rather just look in the shops around Orlando until I find something formal, right?” A groan escaped and she closed her eyes. “Okay, okay. You win. We’ll book the flight for a few days early and look for something in New York. Yes, off the rack. I don’t care what Mom says, I’m not about to pay a fortune for a few yards of fabric that I’ll probably wear once just because it’s got some man’s name not attached by a tag. Especially when we aren’t even doing the red carpet. Thank God.”

JC snorted in laughter, his fingers squeezing her shoulder when she rolled her eyes at him.

“I’m fine. That was Josh, choking on his tongue. Oh … okay.” Her brows rose in surprise, then she held the phone out to him. “He wants to talk to you.”

“Really?” Startled, he took the phone, bringing it up to his ear. “Hello?”

“Ah, the infamous Josh. Or is it JC?”

“Nowadays, it’s mostly JC. Or Jace, if you prefer.” He let out a quick laugh. “Jenny kind of gets special treatment.”

“That’s something you and I have in common, apparently.” Humor was evident in Mac’s tone. “But she and I seem to be having a difference of opinion.”

“I can tell, but I’m not going to be much help, Mac.” Hugging her to him, he smiled when her arm wrapped around his waist. “I think she looks fantastic in pajama pants and a T-shirt, so the dress doesn’t matter to me. Plus, she’s probably the only girl you’ll find who’s actually excited that she doesn’t have to do the red carpet.”

“I was afraid of that.” With a sigh, Mac took a moment to collect his thoughts. “Would she at least agree to shop in the Fashion District?”

“I don’t know, maybe.” Laughing under his breath, he looked to her. “How about if you agree to go shopping in the Fashion District? I’m not sure exactly what that means, but surely you could give the poor guy a break.” Jen narrowed her eyes at him, biting her lip. “Come on, Boof. It’s your first Grammys. Even if you aren’t walking the carpet, don’t you want to look fabulous when you’re accepting your award in front of music’s finest?”

“You’re banking on the exceptionally slim chance that I’ll actually win.”

“Okay, how about this?” He lowered his voice. “I can’t go with you, but I’ll definitely be watching. You could always pick something so I know you’re wishing I was there, whether you win or not.”

“I …” Surprisingly, she hesitated, her brow furrowing as she looked at him. “Josh …”

“Please?” Leaning down, he kissed her softly. “For me?”

“Ugh … okay.” Closing her eyes, she shook her head, mumbling under her breath as he grinned triumphantly. “Totally not fair.”

“All right, Mac. You’ve got a winner.” His body shook with quiet laughter. “She’ll do the Fashion District, but don’t be shocked if she still ends up with something off a rack somewhere.”

“At least it’ll be a very trendy something off the rack.” Mac’s voice was satisfied. “And nobody said she could only wear it once. I’m sure there’ll be plenty of events in the future where it’ll be appropriate.”

“That’s true.” Looking down at her, he squeezed his arm around her. “Once she gets in the swing of it, she’ll get excited. I think she’s just worn out right now.”

“I could hear it in her voice.” The older man’s tone took on an almost paternal edge. “She is getting some rest while she’s there, isn’t she? I know she got an early start this morning, but she shouldn’t have much of anything on her plate other than spending time relaxing and watching you film.”

“We’re keeping her comfortable. The napping is totally up to her.” She huffed in exasperation, sending him a mock glare. “By the time you get her back, she should be well-rested and ready to work. Right, Jenny?”

“That’s right.” She reached up and took the phone from him. “And that’s enough worrying about me. They just broke for lunch, so I’ll call you back later, okay?” For a second, she listened, then smiled, her gaze jumping back to JC’s face. “Uh huh. I hear you. Yeah, me, too. Okay, bye.”

“I like him.” JC watched as she ended the call and flipped the phone closed. “He’s obviously looking out for you.”

“Well, he likes you, too. He just threatened to drop me as a client if I ever let you get away.” Her hand patted his thigh, then she leaned forward to drop the phone into her bag and reach down for her shoes. “I’m starving, so I’m sure you’re hungry. Ready to eat?”

“Yep. I was just making sure you were okay before heading that way.” He stood, matching her pace as they walked slowly toward where lunch was being served. “I’m sorry about earlier. Sara’s not exactly our favorite person on the crew.”

“She’s a real piece of work, huh?” Jen laughed under her breath. “As extreme as she was, I don’t guess I can hold it against her. She was just defending her territory.”

“Her territory, huh?” Arching a brow at her, he draped his arm across her shoulders. “Exactly what would her territory be?”

“If looks could kill, she’d have had me buried ten times over, so I’d guess she’s decided to claim you, lover boy.”

“And that will never happen.” He came to a sudden stop, pulling her to a halt and turning to face her. “You know you don’t have to worry about her, right?”

“With her winning personality? I’m not exactly shaking in my boots.” She shrugged light-heartedly, smiling up at him. “She is really pretty though, Josh. And accessible. I wouldn’t blame you if …”

“She’s nothing compared to you.” Tugging her into a hug, he shook his head in frustration. “How can you not see … Joey doesn’t call you Hot Stuff for nothing, you know.”

“As much as I love him, Joe Bear doesn’t really have the highest of standards.” A laugh escaped into his chest. “It’s okay, I promise. I have other strong points to make up for it.”

“One of these days, you’re going to see yourself the way I see you.” She felt him leaning down closer to her ear. “I’ll make sure of it.”

“Whatever you say.” Pulling away, she began walking again, joining the end of the line for what appeared to be deli sandwiches. “One question though. Sara said that she handles your schedule and the details. Does that include guests, too?”

“Yeah. Why?”

“I got my trip booked for May and I’m not too into the idea of having to work everything out with her.”

“Really?” His eyes lit up and he couldn’t help his grin. “Don’t worry about it. E-mail me your details and I’ll take care of it. When are you coming out?”

“I’ll be flying out late on the 18th, landing in Stockholm the afternoon of the 19th, then staying for three weeks. If you check your calendar and I need to fly in somewhere else, just let me know. Tessa set me up with an awesome travel agent who should be able to make changes fairly easily.” She picked up two plates, passing one to him before casting a glance his direction. “Think you guys can put up with me that long?”

“Are you kidding?” He wrapped an arm around her, pulling her back against his chest. “You could stay all summer and it wouldn’t be long enough.”

“Good answer.” She laughed, leaning into him. “Very good answer.”

----------------------------------------

February 28, 1997

JC looked up when he heard someone coming down the stairs, grinning when Joey came into the living room, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. “Hey, Joe. Is the TV too loud?”

“No, I just woke up and remembered why you were down here.” Scratching his stomach, Joey yawned and plopped down on the couch. “Tonight’s the night, huh?”

“Yeah. I’m just hoping I’ve got the right channel.” He reached out and picked up the remote, raising the volume just a tad. “A live broadcast from the U.S. is kind of hard to find at two in the morning.”

“The Grammys are pretty much a world-wide thing. I’m sure it’s on there somewhere.” Chris shuffled into the room, his fingers combing through disheveled hair. “You should probably be more concerned that they leave it in English.”

“It’s live. I figure they can’t really dub over it that fast.” A commercial ended and the familiar ceremony graphics began flashing across the screen, Swedish subtitles scrolling rapidly across the bottom. “Or they could just do that.” Settling back into the cushions, he looked between the guys on either side of him. “You guys don’t have to stay up with me. We’ve got a big day tomorrow.”

“Hey, we can sleep on the plane, too.” Justin spoke up as he and Lance came through the door, each taking one of the recliners. “We want to see Jenny’s big debut. Did they talk her into performing with them?”

“Not even Eric Clapton could get her up on that stage.” JC laughed, shaking his head. “She said they were respectful of her decision, especially after she reminded them that he and Babyface were the ones nominated for Male Pop Vocal and Record of the Year and she wanted them to have that recognition.” Fighting back a yawn, he stretched out his legs. “They’re supposed to be sitting right behind Clapton’s group, though. If we see him, we should be able to find her.”

“You mean like that?” Joey gestured toward the screen, where she was perfectly visible, seated on the aisle. He let out a low whistle. “That’s a killer dress, man.”

The strapless gown was fitted across the bodice, and sparkled under the production lights, but it was difficult to tell exactly what color it was. What drew JC’s attention were her gleaming accessories: his necklace and bracelet, shining brightly as the camera panned back over the audience until she was no longer on the screen. Biting back a smile, he glanced over when Lance let out a deep yawn. “We may have to take shifts. Three hours is a long time, and I’m pretty sure hers will be one of the very last categories.”

“Don’t worry, Jace. We won’t let you miss her.” Pushing up from the couch, Chris headed for the kitchen. “I think we’re gonna need some coffee, though.”

“You don’t drink coffee.”

At that moment, Ellen DeGeneres launched into her opening number, leaving them all in silence as Chris chuckled, stepping out of the room. “If that’s a sign of things to come, then I drink it tonight.”

It was a good call, and by the time they were getting to the biggest awards of the night, they’d gone through nearly three pots.

“Okay, here we go.” Justin sat forward, resting his arms on his knees as he focused on the television. “This is her.”

They all imitated his position, leaning toward the television, intently watching as the nominees were announced. JC grinned when they zoomed in on Jen for her announcement, her smile genuine, but he could see the nerves in her eyes.

“And the Song of the Year Grammy goes to …” The dramatic pause seemed to go on forever, before the presenter finally read the card. “Jennifer Lawson for Change the World.”

The group around him jumped to their feet, cheering, just as the people around her stood, applauding her victory. That’s my girl. JC smiled as he watched her slowly rise from her seat, a dazed look on her face as she turned into Lisa’s tight hug, then reached out to grasp Mac’s arm, a trembling smile lifting her lips. She took a deep breath, then moved into the aisle, only to be stopped after two steps by Eric Clapton putting a hand on her shoulder, pulling her close to lean down and say something in her ear.

Whatever he said was exactly what she needed to hear, because she rewarded him with a bright grin, said “Thank you” and gave him a quick hug before pulling away to head for the stage, pausing only when Celine Dion reached out and grabbed her hand, giving her a big nod and a thumbs up. As one of the ushers helped her up the stairs in the long gown, the stage lights reflected off the glittering fabric, finally revealing the vibrant blue color that flowed around her legs like water. It swirled as she moved across the stage, accepting the trophy from the presenters and turning to face the arena, humor entering her expression when she had to look up at the microphone, laughter flowing across the audience as she waited for them to lower it to her level.

“I may be little, but I am fierce.” She laughed with the crowd before taking a steadying breath. “This is definitely unexpected, and I’m so unprepared, it’s not even funny.” Both of her hands gripped the base of the Grammy, supporting its weight. “This has been such a crazy year, and there’s so much to say, but it seems they like to keep these things short, so if I forget someone, please forgive me. Mom, thank you for everything. I love you.” Swallowing thickly, her eyes turned upward. “Daddy, I hope you’re proud. I miss you.” She lowered her gaze back to the room. “Josh, I wish you were here. Thanks for always having my back, for having faith in me even when I don’t, and for making me smile when I don’t feel like it. Now it’s your turn. Show them what you’ve got, and I’ll see you soon. Mac, none of this would’ve been possible without you. Thank you so much for taking such good care of me. Professor Summers, thank you for seeing something special in me. Maggie, Brian and the rest of my Orlando family, thanks for helping me create a place to call home.” Looking down at the gleaming trophy, she laughed under her breath. “Thanks to the Funky Bunch for having confidence when I lose it, hugs when I need them and for keeping me laughing.”

Clearing her throat, she raised her head. “Mr. Clapton, it was an honor to meet you tonight, but to have you take my little song and breathe life into it is a dream come true. I can’t imagine that it could’ve been better.” She paused as there was a wave of applause, the camera cutting away briefly to show Eric nodding at her with a smile. “I was seventeen when I wrote the lyrics for Change the World, and it took a year for me to finally decide that I was happy with the arrangement. If I could possibly end this with an inspirational thought, it would be this: We are never too young, and we are never too old. But we must be driven, because it’s up to us to do the work that makes our dreams a reality.” A deep breath lifted her shoulders as her fingers came up to play with the heart pendant around her neck, bringing it to her lips quickly before dropping it back against her skin and sending a bright grin toward the cameras, raising the trophy as high as she could. “Thank you so much.”

“Now that was a shout-out.” Joey dropped back down on the couch as she followed the presenters off stage, his elbow nudging JC in the side playfully. “We should leave her a message for when she finally gets to break away.”

“You guys go ahead.” JC smiled as Lance reached for the phone. “I’ll leave my own after you’re done.”

Their abundance of coffee was obvious as the four of them left her a long – and hilarious – voicemail, all of them chiming in with their own version of congratulations, sometimes trying to talk over each other. JC held back his laughter as they decided to wind it down with a very harmonious goodbye before ending the call. “You’re all nuts.”

“Yeah, but she loves us anyway.” Lance winked as he handed him the phone, then passed a look over the others as he strode out of the room. “I think I’m gonna turn in for at least a few hours before we hit the road.” The hint was obvious, and they followed him toward the stairs, Chris casting a knowing glance toward JC before grinning and pushing Justin out the door.

Shaking his head, JC laughed quietly as he dialed her number, sitting back against the cushions as he waited for the indicated tone. “The Funky Bunch got their turn, so now it’s mine. Congratulations, Jenny. You deserve it. I wish I could’ve been there with you, but you can totally look forward to a little celebration when you come out in May. The next three months had better go by fast, because I can’t wait to see you. Until then, hug Coda really tight and give that necklace another kiss for me.” He felt humor lighten his tone. “We’ll definitely have to find somewhere to go so you can wear that dress again. You look gorgeous in blue, and I’d love to see you in it, knowing you’re wearing it just for me.” Clearing his throat, he leaned his head back and closed his eyes. “I can’t believe my girl just won her first Grammy. The first of many, I can feel it. I’m so proud of you, Boof. Soak it all in and enjoy your night. We hit the road in a few hours for the tour, but I’ll call again as soon as I’m able. Talk to you soon.”

His thumb cut the connection before the next words could roll off his tongue.

“I love you.”

Chapter Seventeen by Renee

May 19, 1997

Jen couldn’t help laughing when she saw the mountain of a black man waiting in the arrivals area of the airport, looking bored as he held a sign printed with her name in black. As she came closer, she saw that not only was 'Jenny' in bold marker on his poster, but the guys had all written their nicknames for her around it in various colors. The rest of the space was filled with sparkly stickers, smiley faces and other silly little pictures. Shaking her head and adjusting her oversized backpack, she carefully pulled her blue carry-on bag and picked up her pace, determined to put the poor guy out of his misery.

“Hi. I think you’re looking for me.” Flashing back quickly to another airport a long time ago, she tilted her head back to see his arched brow and gave him a tired smile. “I’m so sorry you’re having to hold that. Have you been waiting long?”

“Jenny?” The surprise was evident in his tone. “Jen Lawson?”

“In the flesh.” Her nose wrinkled as she sighed. “I’m sorry. They didn’t tell me who I was meeting.”

“First, tell me who calls you what.” His big fingers tapped on the edges of his sign. “Just so I can be sure.”

She let her eyes move over the board, laughing at the scrawled names as she identified each one, then arched an eyebrow at him. “They swapped nicknames before they wrote them. Who wrote what?” She bit her lip to keep from grinning. “Just so I can be sure.”

“Jace told me you’d ask that. To be honest, I can’t make out half of what any of them write, so I wouldn’t be able to say for sure.” He let out a booming laugh. “I’ve seen a few pictures, Jenny, but they don’t do you justice. I’m Lonnie, your boy’s keeper.”

“It’s nice to meet you, Lonnie.” Beginning to move forward, she hesitated. “Are you a hugger? Or should I keep my distance?”

“I …” Surprised again, he started, looking down at the girl who wasn’t even tall enough to reach his chest. Her smile was impish, giving her a child-like expression and he couldn’t keep from propping the sign against her bag and opening his arms. “Bring it in, kid.”

The smile became a grin as she stepped into his arms and sighed, barely able to reach around him. “Thanks. It’s been a really long day.”

“No problem. Just … never tell those guys I was hugging you in the airport. They’d never listen to me again.”

“I won’t say a word. I promise.” She laughed, stepping away from him and claiming her bag again. “I had to check two bags, so we’ll need to grab those before we can go.”

“Sure thing. It’s down this way.”

Moving down the large hallway, they veered to the right and rounded a corner into the baggage claim area. They had perfect timing, both of her bags floating around the carousel minutes after they arrived. Once the bags were on the ground, she let her backpack swing around so that she could unlock the zippers. “Can I go ahead and give you something?”

“Yeah, sure.” Lonnie eyed her curiously as she pulled out a sturdy gift bag and held it out to him. “What’s this?”

“I asked Lynn to make sure how many were on your team. There’s a gift for each of you.” Smiling up at him, she straightened the pack again and grasped the handles of the two smaller rolling bags. “Just a little 'thank you' for taking care of my guys.”

“Well, thanks.” Reaching for the largest bag, he began leading the way toward the exit. “We’re just doing our jobs.”

“No one simply works with the Funky Bunch. You become family.” She sped up to keep up with his large strides. “Did they really send you out by yourself to pick me up?”

“Not exactly.” As they crossed the parking lot, he looked down at the bag he was pulling behind him. “This thing’s kinda heavy. I know ladies pack more than men, but did you bring the kitchen sink with you?”

“Nope. That would be the treat bag.”

“The treat bag?” He arched a brow at her. “What’s the treat bag?”

“You’ll see when they open it.” Shaking her head, she sighed. “I’m pretty sure they’d have me sleeping on the street if I’d left it at home.”

“Okay then.” He stopped behind a black van, tapping on the tinted window of the rear doors. “This is us. Bags in the back, then you’re in the middle.”

Not giving it a thought, she helped him load the bags – keeping her backpack – and moved around to the side of the van, reaching for the door handle.

“Hold on a second, Jen.” Lonnie leaned against the van casually, keeping an eye on a family a few cars away, two teenage girls laughing as they pulled bags from their trunk. “Did you have a good flight?”

“I suppose. The first flight was overnight, so I got to sleep a little.” Glancing toward the family as they began walking toward the airport, she turned her attention back to the man beside her, giving him an odd look. “It makes me nervous to travel alone, so I don’t usually get a lot of rest. I’d rather have a buddy with me, but it is what it is.”

“That’s cool.” Once the girls were far beyond hearing distance, he focused back on her. “Sorry. Teen girls tend to go a little crazy.”

“It’s okay.” Her brow furrowed in confusion. “Crazy over what?”

“This guy.” He reached out and slid the door open for her, revealing JC sitting on the far side of the bench seat. “He’s a bit of a crowd pleaser.”

“There’s my girl.” JC smiled, already sliding toward her on the seat. “Hey, Boof.”

She didn’t say a word, just grinned brightly and scrambled up into the van and into his arms. Hugging him tightly around the neck, she closed her eyes and buried her face in his shoulder, breathing deeply to take in the scent of his cologne. His fingers worked their way into her hair, and she sighed against him. “I’ve missed you, Josh.”

“I’ve missed you, too, but let’s get this backpack out of the way so I can really hug you, okay?” He kissed her forehead, then pulled away with a laugh, his hands coming down to work on the straps of the pack. “This thing’s almost as big as you are. How were you standing up straight?”

“Very carefully.” Her brow arched as she let the bag slide down her arms and fall to the floor of the van, immediately leaning back into him.

“See? Much better.” Wrapping his arms tightly around her, he lifted her onto his lap, smiling when she curled into his chest and relaxed against him. Leaning down, he kissed the side of her head, then pressed his cheek against her hair. Unconsciously, he began rocking back and forth, his breath tickling her ear as he spoke softly. “I can’t believe you’re finally here.”

Neither of them reacted when Lonnie closed the door, the van lurching as he got into the passenger side front seat. Looking over his shoulder at the pair behind him, he began to grin before turning to his partner behind the steering wheel. “Well, Kenny … this is Jen Lawson.”

“This little fairy is what all the fuss is about?” Kenny’s eyes widened as he took a good look in the rearview mirror. “I expected her to be … I don’t know. Definitely taller.” He laughed quietly as he put the van in reverse. “She kind of sparkles, doesn’t she? Looks like a dark-haired Tinkerbell.”

“Tink. I like it.” Lonnie nodded to himself with a smile. “It fits. That’ll be her code on the radio.”

“She gets a radio code?” Brows rose sharply as Kenny glanced his way, then pulled into traffic. “Is she going to be around that much?”

“All I know is all five of our guys have declared her precious cargo, so she gets the royal treatment.” Taking another look at JC and Jen, he furrowed his brow. “We’ll have to sit him down and get the full picture. I swear I’ve seen her somewhere before.”

Completely unaware of the conversation in the front seat, Jen let the fingers of one hand comb through his hair, her fingertips scratching lightly against his skin. Looking up, her eyes met his and she returned his smile, then stretched to kiss his cheek. Her voice was soft as she leaned closer to him. “I couldn’t wait to get here.”

“You’re all we’ve been talking about for days.” One of his hands came to her face, his gaze bouncing over her features until he focused on her mouth. Running his thumb over her lips, he lowered his voice to a whisper and let his forehead rest against hers. “Has anything changed for you?”

Brown eyes sparkled with her grin. “Not at all.”

“Good.” Taking a deep breath, he leaned into her, his lips covering hers for a kiss that felt so good, she wanted to cry. When she pressed further into him, he tightened his arm around her, allowing no space between them as his mouth caught hers again. He felt her sigh against him, and his heart skipped a few beats when she took charge for a few more kisses.

“Ahem.” Lonnie cleared his throat loudly from the front seat, not bothering to try hiding his grin. “Look alive, kids. Another few minutes and we’ll be home.”

Jen backed away a few inches, her eyes widening as she remembered where they were. JC laughed when her cheeks began to burn a bright red and she groaned, hiding her face against his chest. “Sorry, guys. I’m not really into PDA …” Suddenly, she sat up straight, her face still pink as she turned to look at Lonnie. “Actually, no, I’m not sorry. I haven’t seen him since January, and I forgot where I was. Get over it.”

“And Tink’s had her first twinkle fit.” Lonnie choked out before both he and Kenny burst into laughter as the van pulled into a driveway and parked. “It doesn’t matter, Jenny. You’ll just have to get used to one of us always being around. Eventually, you won’t even consider us ‘public’. Besides, this guy is ridiculously tame compared to most of the bodies I’ve had to guard. I’ve had his back for nearly six months without even a blip on his radar. It’s about time he got some action.”

“Six months, huh?” Her brows arched in humor as she looked back to JC, who just shrugged with a smile and quickly kissed her lips one last time. “And why did he call me Tink?”

“Are you really surprised? You haven’t exactly been in touching distance. And you do kind of look like Tinkerbell.” She felt his hands on her waist, then he was sliding her off his lap and onto the seat. “Let me grab your bag, then I’ll help you down.” As he stepped over her and hopped out of the van, she saw him licking his lips, laughing quietly as he put on her backpack and reached for her. “Come on, Boof. J’s probably watching the door, just waiting for you to walk in.”

He lifted her from the van, holding her up just long enough to whisper in her ear. “Dr. Pepper, huh? You keep finding new favorites for me. Still doesn’t live up to the chocolate cake, though.” With a wink, he kissed her cheek and set her down, looking back to where Kenny and Lonnie were unloading her bags. “Do you guys need any help?”

“Nope. We’ve got it.” Kenny waved around the door. “Get her on inside. We’ll be right behind you.”

“Please be careful with the blue bag. Special things in that one.” Jen reached into the front seat to pick up the gift bag. “And I’m taking your bag in, Lonnie.”

“Sure thing, kid.”

JC draped an arm across her shoulders as they walked to the front steps. “Is the blue bag the treat bag?”

“Nope.”

“You did remember the treat bag, right?” He fought a grin. “Chris might rebel if he doesn’t get his cookies.”

“Oh, don’t worry.” She laughed. “I definitely brought the treat bag.”

“Then what’s in the blue bag?” Blue eyes focused on her, trying to read her expression. “What did you do?”

“You’ll just have to wait and see.” When they made it to the door, he stepped back, motioning for her to go ahead. “Are you tossing me to the wolves or what?”

Before he could answer, the door flew open and Justin was stepping out, wrapping his arms around her and lifting her off the ground. “Get in here, Shorty. It’s been too long.”

“Hi, J.” With a bright smile, she flung an arm around his neck, her face pressing into his shoulder with the strength of his hug. “I think you’ve gotten even taller, haven’t you?”

“Maybe a little, yeah.”

“Well, stop it.” She laughed against him, just barely getting Lonnie’s bag on the table by the door as Justin carried her through the front hall toward what appeared to be the living room. “Or I really will have to start calling you Jolly Green.”

“Just try it. I know all your weak spots, sis.” He chuckled quietly, kissing the top of her head and putting her down before turning to yell toward the staircase. “Hey guys! Jenny’s in the house!”

A rumble of footsteps came from several different directions above them, all headed for the stairs. Chris was the first one down, grinning widely as he pulled her in for a tight hug. “Good to see you, Gracie. How was the flight?”

“Long, but worth it.” There was a little weariness in her voice as she went on her toes and looped her arms around his neck, but the excitement in her eyes lessened his concern. “If you think last year was incredible, just wait until I tell you what’s been happening the last few weeks. You’re Still the One finally found a home, and she took two other tracks with it.”

“That’s awesome. You can tell us all about it over dinner.” He looked down at her with a smile. “Right now, we’ll get the hellos out of the way and let Jace get you settled in, okay?”

“Sounds great.” She kissed his cheek, then released him as Joey’s arms came around her from behind. “Okay, Joe Bear. Your turn.”

“Damn right, it is.” Laughing, he spun her around and picked her up against his chest. “We’ve missed you, Hot Stuff. And it dings my pride a little bit that my parents can’t stop telling me how they wish they could adopt you.” Leaning in, he lowered his voice. “You know, since neither of their sons is going to be able to snag you.”

“Whatever, Joe.” Shaking her head, she laughed under her breath. “But they kind of already have, I guess. My Family Dinner crowd seems to keep changing, but they’re pretty much always there.”

“Family Dinner?” His brows arched as he kissed the side of her head. “What’s Family Dinner?”

“Every other Friday, I host Family Dinner for anybody who can make it.” Her smile grew as he set her back down. “Maggie and Brian, Adam and whoever he’s dating, your folks and Steve, Matt, Amber and Chloe, Mom and Mac, and Tessa, Shan and their three boys are my regulars. Nick, Sam and Jake, Mark, Janine, and a few others float in and out, depending on whether they have plans.”

“Damn, Jen. Seriously?”

“Yeah. It’s fun. I fix the main dish and desserts, and everybody else just brings whatever sides they’re in the mood for. Your mom always has to take a copy of my recipes for the night home with her, and Big Joe won’t leave until we’ve either played a game of chess or I’ve spent some time on the piano for him.” She laughed again. “And Steve somehow manages to take a plate of leftovers home every time.”

“That’s one of the things I really miss, Girlie.” Lance stepped to her side, his arm going around her shoulders.

“What? Leftovers?” Jen hugged him quickly, then moved back enough to pull at his shirt. “It looks like you need a few, Mississippi.”

“Not leftovers. And I’m eating fine.” He rolled his eyes and she laughed as he pulled her back to him. “The meals were always amazing, but my favorite part was listening to you play and hum or sing while you were working on something. Jace plays on his keyboard all the time, and he’s really good, but it’s just not the same.”

“Well, I’d hope he’s really good.” Her brow arched at him playfully. “I taught him.” Lowering her voice, she spoke softly. “Maybe he’ll let me borrow it once or twice while I’m here. I’ve got some new stuff I’m working on that I’d like you guys to hear.”

“That’d be awesome, Jen.” With a smile, he kissed her cheek. “Can’t wait.”

Jen had made her way over to say hello to Lynn and Diane when she noticed Justin about to drag the largest suitcase toward the stairs. “Hey, J. Not that one.”

“What?” He gave her a confused look and let the heavy bag settle back on the floor. “Jeez, that thing has to weigh nearly as much as Chris.”

“That’s why it’s got wheels, little bro.”

“Okay, well … if you don’t want it upstairs, then where do you want it?”

“Right here.” She went to him with a smile and took the handle, moving it to the middle of the floor and laying it down. Looking up as she removed the lock from the zippers, a wary glance was passed around the room. “No pushing and no fighting. Everybody has their own, and it has your name on it. Get yours, step aside, and I’ll sort out the rest. Understood?”

“Oh, man.” Chris bounced on his toes, drawing an odd look from Lonnie. “The treat bag. Sweet!”

“Just remember to make sure your container is closed when you’re done, or your stuff will dry out before you can finish it.” Taking a deep breath, she unzipped the bag and flipped the top flap open, revealing stacks of sealed rectangular food containers before moving quickly out of the way. “Okay, guys. Have at it.”

“Holy hell.” Lonnie laughed as bodies dove for the middle of the room, intent on being the first to claim their treat. He glanced to where JC was leaning against the wall beside him, watching the brawl with amusement. “You’d think she just opened up Christmas in here. Aren’t you getting in on that?”

“No way.” With a grin, JC shook his head, snickering when Justin came out of the fray first, hugging the plastic container to his chest as if it were a baby. “Jen always takes care of me, so even if she didn’t make me my own, I’m sure there’ll be something left.”

Joey came toward them, slightly rumpled but looking triumphant as he carried his treasure. “She made zeppole. My favorite.” Carefully lifting the lid, he groaned as the scent of the sugary dessert floated up to him. Turning around, he sent her a grin. “Thanks, Hot Stuff! Love you, baby.” As she shook her head and laughed, he took one of the little powdered sugar-coated treats and popped it in his mouth, then offered the bowl to Lonnie and Kenny. “Seriously, guys. You haven’t lived until you’ve eaten something from Jen’s kitchen.”

“Okay, thanks.” Kenny reached in and took one, looking it over before shrugging and popping it in his mouth as Joey had. His brows shot up as he began chewing, the sweet, buttery flavor flooding over his taste buds, the little puff so light that it seemed to just dissolve on his tongue. “My God. She made that?”

“Yep. She’s a whiz with lyrics and magical with a whisk.” Joey narrowed his eyes playfully at JC and nudged him with his elbow. “Lucky dog.”

“You know it.” With a laugh, JC moved across the now empty floor, crouching by the bag to pick out his container before looking up at Jen. “Do you need help with the rest?”

“Sure.” She came over and knelt next to him, sorting out the unlabeled containers. “Diane and Lynn, these are for you. I’m sorry. The guys were around all the time, so I know their favorites. I didn’t know what you’d like, so I just put together a mix for each of you.” A smile formed as the ladies took the plastic bowls. “The next time you’re all at home, I’ll have everybody over. I’ll do better, I promise.”

“Honey, you were feeding a small army of men at least four times a week.” Lynn stepped close to give her a hug. “You didn’t need us adding to it.” Lifting the container to look through it, she hummed. “My Lord, are those fudge brownies?”

“With extra fudge and chocolate chunks.” Jen winked at JC, then reached up to pat his shoulder. “This one likes his chocolate.”

“Really?” Looking through the clear bowl, he saw the fudgy squares stacked tightly against each other. “You’re gonna kill me, Boof.” He groaned, then leaned down to kiss the top of her head. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.” She laughed, hugging him around the waist before reaching back into the case, stacking up several other containers before pulling out one larger bowl. “This one is for Johnny. Will we be seeing him at all?”

“Oh, yeah. With the album releasing next week, he’ll definitely be around. We’ll probably meet up with him in Berlin.”

“Okay. I’ll make sure to pack it in when we leave on Wednesday.” Setting Johnny’s bowl to the side, she gestured to the rest. “And these are for the security team.” With his help, she gathered the bowls and delivered them to Lonnie and Kenny. “There’s a mix for each of you. I figured you guys could trade things around until you have what you like.”

The door behind them opened and three more large men came in, waving quickly before opening a door in the hallway and heading to what she assumed was the basement. Kenny joined them, jumping in with the bowls still in his hands. A laugh came from one of the new faces, and Kenny’s voice carried back to them. “No, seriously. You’ve got to try this stuff. She’s like their own personal Betty Crocker.”

Lonnie nodded to the last in line, then picked up his gift bag and turned back to her with a smile. “Thanks, Jen. That was the rest of our team. We need to discuss some things before we head out tonight.” His glance skipped to JC. “The reservations are for eight, so we probably need to be ready to load up in about an hour. Is that doable?”

“Yeah, I think so.” JC looked at Jen. “I know you’ve had a long day, but we wanted to take you out for your first night here. Maybe see some of the lights on the way back. Are you up to it?”

“For food and sightseeing? Absolutely.” She gestured to the jeans, tank top and flannel shirt she was wearing. “I heard 'reservations' … do I need to change? I don’t think I brought anything really dressy.”

“No, you’re perfect.” His arm went around her, pulling her to his side. “You look great. It’s just that anytime we all go out together, we have to call ahead so the restaurant isn’t locked down by how large our group is.”

“Ah. Okay.” Nodding, she glanced at her watch. “So I’ve got an hour to get settled, then?”

“Yeah. Let’s get your things upstairs and maybe you can relax for a little while.” JC reached down for her backpack and grabbed the larger of her suitcases, then let his focus land back on Lonnie. “We’ll be ready to go whenever you guys are.”

“Great. See you in a bit.”

Jen grasped the handle of the blue bag, looking up to see JC waiting for her at the foot of the staircase. He smiled, tilting his head toward the stairs. “After you.”

“I don’t think I ever actually said hello.” She glanced around and started up, stopping on the second step to turn for a quick kiss. “Hi.” He leaned toward her as she pulled away and she couldn’t help her grin. “Where am I going?”

“Uh …” He blinked for a second, clearing his thoughts. “Right at the top, first door on the left.”

“Okay.” Up the stairs she went, giggling under her breath until she realized there were no footsteps following her. At the top, she turned around, looking down to where he was watching her. “You coming?”

“Yep.” Nodding, he sent her a look she couldn’t quite read, then bounded up the steps toward her. “I’m just … come on.” Grabbing her free hand, he pulled her after him into the bedroom, closing the door behind him and setting her bags by the free bed. Taking the blue bag from her, he laid it on the comforter, then gathered her against him. “I’m just really, really happy you’re here.”

“Me, too.” She snuggled into him, sighing deeply as she relaxed in his arms. A smile tilted her lips when she felt him moving, his fingers combing into her hair as he lowered his chin to the top of her head. Leaning back so she could see him, her gaze met his, one of her hands coming to his face as he came closer, his eyes closing as his lips met hers once, twice, three times, the last kiss deeper than any of the others.

Pulling away, he let his forehead rest against hers, his eyes clashing with hers. “And you have no idea how badly I wish I didn’t have to let you go back.”

“Welcome to my world.” Laughing quietly, she wrapped her arms around his neck. “It hurts every time.”

“God, Boof.” Blue eyes darkened in regret. “I’m so sorry.”

“It’s okay, Josh.” Stretching up, she kissed him softly. “It’s really okay. Because then I come home after a long day and there’s this e-mail waiting from you that makes me laugh until I cry. Or we get to talk for hours on the phone – sometimes until you fall asleep – and it’s like you’re right there with me.” She let her fingers gently massage his neck. “Some days, I’ll be just about ready to throw in the towel and all of a sudden, I get this peaceful feeling … and I wonder if maybe that’s when you’re thinking of me.”

“All the time.” He lifted his head to press his lips to her forehead. “I think about you all the time, Jenny. I promise.”

“I know you do. Probably about as much as I think of you.” With a smile, she stepped away from him and toward the bed. “Which brings us to the blue bag.” Reaching in her pocket, she pulled out her luggage key and unlocked the little padlock on the zippers. “I’ve either missed or am going to miss everybody’s birthdays, so I’m catching up in this one trip.” Lifting the flap, she revealed a collection of brightly wrapped packages. “But I’ve got a few extra things for you.”

“Jen. You didn’t have to do that.” His arms wrapped around her from behind as she began unloading the bag. “Just having you here is enough for me.”

“And I appreciate that.” She leaned back against him, her fingers squeezing his forearms as she tilted her head to look up at him. “But I’ve made more money in the last year than I’ll ever know what to do with, and things definitely don’t seem to be slowing down. Some really cool stuff is in the works that we’ll talk about over dinner. Mom’s been playing with some investments for me that have totally paid off, I have a few ideas for some things in the future … and I know for a fact that as hard as you guys have been working at this, you still haven’t been paid a dime. So for now, just let me spoil you. Please?”

“I don’t want …” He sighed when a pleading expression crossed her face, and he tightened his arms around her, kissing the top of her head. “Okay, okay. Thank you.”

“Don’t thank me yet. You haven’t seen what I brought.” Laughing quietly, she continued to sort the packages. “The other guys should be happy, though. A Bulova sports watch for J, this awesome Superman necklace for Joey, an autographed promotional print of Enter the Dragon for Chris – don’t even ask how I found it – and a pre-release copy of Tim McGraw’s new album for Lance. Tim was even nice enough to autograph an extra CD and liner notes so I could have it framed for him.”

“They’re going to think it’s Christmas, Boof.” He let out a chuckle, looking down as she handed him a small, flat package. “What’s this?”

“Santa thinks you’ve been a good boy this year.” Grinning up at him, she picked up a stack of gifts. “The rest are yours. Mom sent that one and said you needed to open it first.”

“Really?” He moved to sit on his bed and she followed him. “What would your mom have sent me?”

“I have no idea.” She shrugged, tilting her head. “She wouldn’t tell me.”

“Huh.” His brows arched as he lifted the lid off the box, a grin immediately brightening his face as he pulled out the framed photo. With a laugh, he kept the frame facing him as he took the sticky note off the edge, holding it out so she could read it: Josh, Jen would never have given this to you herself, so I’m doing it for her. Enjoy.

“Good God.” Her eyes widened, her brain racing through the possibilities. “Do I even want to know?”

“It’s really cute.” He turned the photo around, and she laughed at the image of herself blowing a kiss at the camera before climbing into the car for the ride to the Grammy ceremony, the blue dress sparkling behind her. “Actually, it’s kind of perfect.” He let his thumb run over the glass, taking in every detail. “That dress …” Trailing off, his gaze came up to her. “Boof, you blew it out of the water.”

“Hold that thought.” A smile formed as she passed him another small box. “This one next.”

“Okay.” The photo was set aside, his fingers working over the seams of the paper. Once he had the box opened, his brow furrowed for a second before he pulled out a somewhat shiny blue tie. “A tie?”

“You said we needed to find somewhere to go so I could wear it again, and I’m holding you to it.” She took the tie from him and held it next to the lamp, setting off a few sparkles in the material. “The shop where I found the dress was owned by a girl named Cassie. She’s just getting started trying to build her business and when she heard that her design would be on national television, she was more than willing to finish the alterations I needed in the time frame I had. Then I heard your message, so I stopped back in to see her before we had to fly out. She was totally thrilled to make a matching tie for me and promised that she could do a redesign of the dress so I could wear it again.” Handing it back to him, she grinned. “You don’t have to wait until then to wear it, but if we’re going somewhere that requires me to be shiny, then you’re going to sparkle, too.”

“I’m not sure where we’ll go, but I’ll figure it out.” He smiled, tucking the tie back into its box. “And now I’ll be prepared, whenever I do.”

“Exactly.” Turning, she picked up the largest box and set it in his lap. “I’m hoping you like these.”

Making quick work of the wrapping on this one, he lifted the lid to find a multi-colored collection of short- and long-sleeved dress shirts. “Oh, wow. You got every color, didn’t you?”

“Actually, yeah.” She laughed. “I don’t know much about fashion, but I know you’re picky about your dress shirts. These came from Cassie, too. I can’t tell you what the fabric is, but it’s the most comfortable stuff I’ve ever worn. I bought a few shirts for myself when I got the dress, then I called a few weeks later to see if she could find it in more guy friendly colors. She e-mailed me a list with photos of the samples, and I couldn’t decide which ones I thought would look best on you, so I sent back an order for your size in all of them.” Her fingers rubbed over the sleeve of the dark purple shirt. “It’s so soft and light, I knew they’d be perfect for you. Anti-wrinkle, easy care, relaxed fit and well-tailored … all the good things.”

“Awesome. I’ve pretty much hated everything they’ve put us in for the promotional stuff we’ve been doing, so I’ll make sure to take at least a few of these with us for the album release. Maybe they’ll let me use my own clothes.” Leaning forward, he pressed a kiss to her forehead. “You’ve got good taste.”

“That’s what I’m hoping. There’s one more.” This box was small, but had some weight to it. “I was a little iffy about this one. If you’d rather have something different, I can trade it.”

The paper came away easily and he had to blink at the watch case for a moment, taking in the details of the shiny silver design. He focused on the logo and brought wide eyes up to find her biting her lip. “Jenny, this is a Rolex.”

“I know.” Her expression became hesitant. “When I saw it, I just knew it belonged to you, but then I started doubting myself as I was packing.”

“Jen, this one watch must’ve cost more than both our cars put together.”

“No, definitely not. I know I might’ve gone a little overboard, but you know how I am about finding a good deal …” She trailed off. “I found it at the same shop as J’s, and by the time I added in a watch for myself and Mom, then ordered the gifts for Lonnie’s guys, the owner was jumping at the chance to give me a bulk discount.” Clearing her throat, she looked at him. “Just try it on. Please?”

He carefully worked the watch out of its case and slid it over his hand, snapping the silver clasp into place. “Oh, wow.”

“It looks awesome on you.” A small smile formed as she watched him admiring his wrist. “Do you like it?”

“I love it.” Sliding across the bed, he tugged her into his lap and hugged her tightly. “It’s perfect.”

“Good.” She let out a sigh of relief as her arms went around his neck. “It’s already got your initials engraved on the back cover.”

“Really?” He laughed, kissing her cheek. “Thank you, Boof.”

“I’m not done yet, that was just the fancy stuff.” With a grin, she slid off him and went to unzip the backpack. “I didn’t think the rest required wrapping.” Pulling out a stack of discs and a thick manilla envelope, she set them on the dresser. “My last round of final arrangements and sheets for your binder. I’ve decided once I’m done at UCF, I’m going to invest in Brian’s studio. Maybe become a silent partner. Maggie let it slip that he’s keeping his agreement with the school just so he can keep up with the rent payments. Apparently, working with me is a bonus.”

“Of course it is. And that’s a great idea, Jen.” Picking up the top case, he flipped it over, reading the track list. “He’s done an awesome job putting together your mixes.”

“I know. He’s been a godsend. I’m just hoping he’ll let me return the favor.” Next came a handful of videos. “You said you were having a hard time finding movies in English, so I brought you a few new ones.”

“Oh, cool.” He smiled as he read over the titles. “I’ve wanted to see these. Awesome.”

“And I just finished reading The Green Mile last week. I thought you’d like to try it and a few others.” She passed the books to him, then met his eyes with a grin. “I added to your menu collection, too. We ate at the Hard Rock in Times Square while we were there, and I was able to sweet talk them out of one of theirs. It’s in your bedroom with the rest.”

“Nice. You may have to use your magic again, then.” His fingers flipped open one of the books to read the description on the jacket. “After we do some touristy stuff, we’re finally going to the one here tomorrow night. And I’m hoping we’ll get to the one in Berlin, since we’re supposed to have at least one full free day while we’re there.”

“All right. I’ll do my best.” Looking back into the bag, she bit her lip. “This last one is kind of silly.”

“It’s okay. Hit me with it.”

“Well, someone told me that the crowd throws stuff on stage when you’re performing and sometimes you’ll keep a stuffed animal for the bus or van. You’ve given me so many that it’s only fair if I give you one, since I haven’t been able to see one of your shows.” A fluffy teddy bear appeared, and she laughed as she tossed it to him. “Consider it a gift from your number one fan.”

“This one will stay right here.” He caught it against his chest, grinning as he let his fingers run through the soft fur. “I wouldn’t want anything to happen to him.” Leaning forward, he set the bear on top of the pillows. “And I want to get you a few while you’re here, too. One from Sweden and one from Germany. Maybe Berlin.”

“That’s sweet. Thanks, Josh.”

“It’s nothing compared to all this.” Standing up, he crossed to her and hugged her tightly, straightening so that her feet left the floor. “You’re the best, Boof. Thanks for everything.”

“You’re welcome.” Her arms wound around his neck as he lifted her higher against him, and she leaned forward to kiss his cheek. “You’re not so bad yourself.”

He’d just tilted his head, his lips meeting hers, when there was a knock at the door. “Hey, Jace?”

At Chris’ voice, he let out a quiet groan, broke the contact and let his forehead rest against hers. “Yeah? It’s open.”

“Hey.” The door opened slowly, and Chris peeked his head around cautiously, biting back a grin when he saw the pair in the middle of the room. “Sorry to interrupt, but Lonnie wants to talk to you before we leave.”

“Sure.” He set her down, kissing her one last time. “There’s a bathroom right across the hall if you need it. Just head on down whenever you’re ready, okay?”

“Yeah. Be there in a little bit.”

“Dude, did I miss Santa, or what?” Chris laughed as JC passed into the hallway, taking in the torn wrapping paper littering the bed and floor, his eyes settling on the sparkling silver watch. “Looks like you scored.”

“An elf paid me a special visit.” JC sent a wink to Jen before he turned and headed for the stairs.

“Speaking of elves …” She waved Chris into the room, pointing to the gifts still sitting on the bed. “Want to help me make some deliveries?”

----------------------------------------

Wednesday came quickly, and Jen found herself sitting in one of the black vans, tucked between JC and Justin, waiting patiently outside the airport for the okay that it was time to board their night flight to Stuttgart. The guys were chatting excitedly with Chris, their energy raising as they prepared to promote the album they’d put so much work into. Sara came out the sliding glass doors and headed for the other van, her hands full of documents, and JC’s hand squeezed hers, a smile lighting his face as he looked to her. “You ready?”

“Shouldn’t I be asking you that?” She laughed as his leg began to bounce. “How much coffee did you have today?”

“Not nearly enough.” He yawned, then shook his head. “I’ll be out before we take off.”

“Yeah, right.” Biting back another laugh, she glanced at her watch. “How long are we going to be in Stuttgart?”

“We don’t fly out for Hamburg until early Friday morning. We’ll check in to the hotel when we get there, then we have a few morning show interviews and a radio thing after lunch.” Cutting a glance toward her, his brow arched. “We have free time after we finish at the radio station. Wasn’t there a castle you wanted to see?”

“Really?” Her eyes brightened with her smile. “Can we go?”

“Sure.” He lifted her hand and pressed his lips across her knuckles. “As you wish, Boof.”

The side door of the van opened, and Sara stuck her head inside. “Okay guys, you know the drill. Security and talent first, Lonnie has your boarding passes and you’ll go around security and directly to the gate. All bags are already checked and ready to go, but make sure to keep your hands on your carry on. Everybody else goes with me to check in and we’ll go through airport security before boarding. Boarding time is in forty-five minutes, so let’s get a move on.”

JC leaned over, kissing Jen quickly before releasing her hand. “See you on board.”

“Yep.”

It seemed as if the van was suddenly empty as the guys and their ‘shadows’ hopped out, leaving Jen with Lynn and a few of Johnny’s crew. Lynn came around to sit next to her, grinning as she looked down at the backpack at Jen’s feet. “Planning on camping?”

“I hope not.” A laugh escaped as Jen’s fingers closed around one of the straps. “I have this nightmare that out of all the bags on board, mine will be the one to get lost. I’ve got a couple changes of clothes and all my irreplaceable things with me, just in case.”

“Smart girl.”

“All right, people. Let’s go. Have your ID and passport ready when you get to the counter.” Sara’s voice was tired as she began walking away from the vans, not waiting for anyone to catch up to her.

With a quick glance at each other, Jen and Lynn grabbed their bags and followed the large group into the airport, joining the bunch at the check in desk. Finally, Lynn had presented her ID and passport, and she was holding her boarding pass. As she picked up her bag, she sent a smile to Jen. “I’ll be waiting for you over in security.”

“Okay.” Jen nodded, smiling at the desk agent as she passed over her paperwork. “Hi.”

“Hello.” The agent typed quickly into her computer, frowned, then keyed in the information again. “Do you have a confirmation number?”

“I’m sorry.” Jen blinked in confusion. “A confirmation number?”

“From where you booked your flight. Did you jot down the confirmation?”

“I didn’t book this flight.” She shook her head. “I’m with the group that just came through.”

“I’m sorry, Miss, but your name isn’t on the flight manifest.”

“It’s not?” Jen glanced to where the group was waiting for their security check and found Sara staring back at her from the other side of the barriers, an odd expression on her face. A smirk lifted the blonde’s lips, just before she turned and quickly made her way toward the gate. A sinking feeling began in the pit of Jen’s stomach. “Let me guess … the flight is full, isn’t it?”

“There are no available seats, Miss.” The agent’s eyes darkened with sympathy. “I can check for a later flight, perhaps? Or maybe even on another airline?”

“I don’t really know what to do.” Leaning around, she caught a glimpse of Lynn, just arriving at the check point. “Am I allowed to go to the security area, as long as I don’t try to pass through? I need to let somebody know what’s going on.”

“Absolutely. Please stay on this side of the barricades.”

“Thank you.” Fighting back her panic, Jen scooped up her ID and passport from the counter and fairly ran toward where Lynn had just finished with the security agent and was picking up her bag. “Lynn! Hang on a second!”

Lynn turned, her brow furrowing when she saw that Jen wasn’t in the security check line. “Jenny, you’d better get a move on.”

“I didn’t get booked on the flight.”

“What?” The older woman’s eyes widened. “How did that happen?”

“Sara’s in charge, that’s how.” Jen sighed, running a hand through her hair. “I’m going to try to catch a later flight and meet up with you guys, but I really don’t know where I’m supposed to be going. Do you have a copy of the schedule?”

“Of course. Lonnie gave us a printout this morning.” Lynn began digging through her bag, sighing in relief when she found the packet of papers with their itinerary for the next two weeks. “Is there anything else I can do?”

“I’ve got my cell phone with me and an international plan. Does anybody on the team have a phone?”

“I really don’t think so. Here.” She tore a corner off the last page of the schedule. “What’s your number? If someone has a phone, we’ll stay in contact. Either way, someone will try to keep in touch whenever we’re able.” A spark of fire lit in Lynn’s eyes. “And I’ll make sure Jace knows what happened. We’ll be lucky if he doesn’t tear that plane apart.”

“Don’t let him do that. I’ll just …” Jen swallowed hard. “I’ll work something out. I’ve got my credit card with me, and the cost isn’t a problem. Surely I won’t be too far behind.”

“Okay, honey. I’ve got to go.” Lynn leaned across the barrier, hugging her tightly. “Be careful, okay?”

“I will. You’d better run. I think they just started boarding.” She watched Justin’s mother move quickly down the hall, holding back tears. “Forget about my bag getting lost. I just got lost.” Taking a deep breath, she straightened her shoulders and made her way back to the booking counter, managing a smile at the desk agent as she pulled her wallet from her pocket. “I think I need some help. What’s the quickest way for me to get to Stuttgart?”

*********************

JC glanced over as Sara dropped down into the seat beside him. Fighting back a groan, he forced a small smile. “Sorry, Sara. Jen’s with me.”

“Sure. Whatever.” Not budging, she leaned down to make sure her bag was pushed underneath the seat in front of her.

“Seriously …” He was interrupted by a crashing noise, his eyes jerking up to see a panicked Lynn racing up the aisle. “Lynn? What’s wrong?” His gaze moved behind her, his brow furrowing at the empty space. “Where’s Jenny?”

“She wasn’t booked on the flight.”

“She what?” Fear streaked through him, then a burning anger, his hands fisting as he faced Sara. “How did that happen, Sara?”

“Beats me. Guests are responsible for their own arrangements.” The blonde shrugged indifferently. “Guess she didn’t take care of business.”

“Guests are responsible … since when?” He began breathing heavily, earning a wide-eyed stare from Justin in the seat ahead of him. “My parents were here two months ago. Steve was with us on the last tour. Lynn and Diane are with us all the time. Since when are guests responsible for their own arrangements?”

“Family and crew are provided for.” Sara regarded him coolly. “Guests are on their own.”

“I spoke to Johnny about this when we were first working out the promotional tour. He specifically said everything would be handled and that she’d be with us the entire time. Besides, we didn’t even have a final schedule until this morning.” His voice rose as he argued, drawing Lonnie’s attention. “How the hell was she supposed to know where to go and when?”

“I’m sorry, but that’s not my problem.” Icy blue eyes warmed in sympathy, her tone softening. “I’m sure she’ll work it out.”

“Jace, she’s trying to get on a later flight to meet us.” Lynn interjected, her hand gripping the seat beside her. “But we have bigger issues. I know there’s a language barrier here, but did anybody actually look at their boarding pass? Or listen to the announcements?”

“What do you mean?” Lonnie joined her in the aisle. “Is something wrong?”

“We’re not going to Stuttgart. This flight is nonstop to Hamburg.”

“No.” Lonnie’s hand went to the sheaf of papers lying on his seat. “The schedule we have says Stuttgart, then Hamburg, then Berlin for the release. This was in stone as of this morning.” His dark gaze fell to the blonde who was sitting before him, completely unfazed. “What happened to our 'final' itinerary?”

“Changes were necessary with a few of the interviews. I sent out the finalized schedule this afternoon.”

This afternoon? I’ve had all the security arrangements made since Monday, with assurances from both Johnny and you that there would be no changes! The hotel in Hamburg isn’t even expecting us until Friday.” The large guard looked about ready to breathe fire. “We can’t just wing a security detail as we go. Somebody’s bound to get hurt. Or lost.”

“Someone already has.” Lynn leaned against the seat as they ignored the flight attendant trying to get them to buckle in. “All I had was the schedule you gave me. Jen is back there trying to get on a flight to somewhere we aren’t even going, with nothing but her credit card and carry on. We can’t get in touch with her until we get to a payphone when we land, and even then, do we really know where she needs to go?”

Damn.” Lonnie’s large hand fisted on the top of Sara’s seat, and he leaned down to get in her face. “I want an updated copy of that schedule. Now!” The girl’s hand shook slightly as she reached into her bag, pulling out a fresh packet of papers. “Thanks for nothing. Lynn, give me Jen’s number. I’ve got my phone with me and I’ll try to call her as soon as we land.”

“Oh, my God. There’s nowhere for her to go.” JC dropped his face down into his hands as he groaned. “She doesn’t have any cash, so she can’t get a cab. Even if she could get there, she couldn’t get back in the house. There’s no telling when a seat will be available, which doesn’t even matter, since she has no idea where to meet us. I’m supposed to be taking care of her, and I’m leaving her stranded in an airport in Sweden.”

“It’ll be okay.” Sara’s hand patted at his arm comfortingly. “I’m sure …”

“If you really think it’s a good idea to touch me right now, then you’re seriously one crazy bitch.” He seethed, his fingers clawing at her wrist before twisting it painfully, blazing eyes piercing her straight through. “If anything happens to her – if she’s not in perfect condition when I get to see her again – I will end you. We’re talking burned alive, not even ashes left, Sara. Do you understand me?” Flinging her arm back across her body, he took a deep breath. “Lonnie, get her away from me, or I’m gonna rip her to pieces.”

“Get up.”

“But this is my …” Her defensive voice cut through the tension in the cabin of the plane.

Get. Up.” Lonnie reached down and gripped her arm, physically removing her from the seat as his other hand picked up her bag. “Lynn, you’re with Jace.” He watched as she dropped down into the seat and wrapped her arms around JC, then gestured toward the large man who had the seat next to his. “Tiny, you’re taking her seat. This one’s sticking with me.”

 

 

Chapter Eighteen by Renee

 

By Saturday afternoon, Jen had wasted nearly fourteen hours at the Stuttgart airport, waiting through three overbooked flights and two grounded flights before giving up and looking for another mode of transportation. With no cash for a taxi or bus, she’d been forced to make the eight-mile trek to the Stuttgart train station on foot. She’d purchased her first ticket fairly easily – the Friday morning train to Frankfurt had required her to spend all night at the station and was blessedly empty as she boarded – but she’d managed to miss three connections along the way, losing any chance of catching up with the group before they made it to Berlin.

A light-headed tumble down the stairs of the train arriving in Berlin had left her with large tears in her favorite flannel shirt, ripped jeans, patches of scraped skin from face to knee, a fierce pain in her hip and a massive bruise on her left arm. Two small train meals, two bottles of water and maybe six scant hours of sleep over the course of nearly seventy hours had her swaying on her feet, fighting to stay upright as she finally approached the check-in desk of the hotel Lonnie had specified in his last voicemail.

“Hi.” She tried to ignore the semi-shocked expression that crossed the clerk’s face and forced a smile. “Please excuse … this.” Gesturing to herself, she grimaced. “It’s been a rough few days.” Fighting back hysterical laughter, she let out a weary sigh. “I was told to come in and ask to see Lonnie Jones.”

“Miss, I’m afraid I can’t help you. Our guests’ privacy is our top priority.”

“No, no. I don’t need his room number or anything.” Jen swallowed hard, feeling panic clawing at her chest. “He just said to ask for him and that someone at the desk would call him down.”

“I’m sorry. Even if given that instruction, we would never follow through.”

“Oh, God. I might even be at the wrong hotel.” Swinging her backpack around, Jen dug through the shamble of items, relieved when her fingers closed on the worthless itinerary Lynn had given her. Locating the hotel she’d circled, she held it out for the clerk to see. “Can you tell me where this hotel is?”

“You’ve arrived, Miss.”

“Okay. Okay, wonderful.” She began to reach into her pocket, then remembered that her phone had died hours ago. Flipping to the last page, she found the number Lonnie had given her when they’d first connected in Stuttgart. “May I borrow your phone?”

“There’s a payphone one block down, on the corner.”

“But I don’t have any money.” The tears she’d been fighting since Wednesday night became a serious threat, her dry throat burning with the effort to keep them from escaping. A bit of alarm settled in when she realized her eyes weren’t even beginning to become wet. “Please. I got separated from my group three days ago and I’ve gone through hell and back trying to catch up to them. All I need is one phone call. If he doesn’t answer, then I’ll hit the road.”

“I’m so sorry, Miss.” The clerk’s eyes flashed with pity. “It’s against our policy.”

“Right.” Slipping her fingers into her other pocket, she pulled out her wallet. “How about a room? Is there a room available?”

“I’m afraid we’re fully booked tonight. I can check for tomorrow, if you’d like.”

“No, that’s okay. I don’t even know if they’ll still be here tomorrow.” With a heaving breath, she tried to muster up another smile for the clerk. “Thanks anyway.” Shoving the papers into her pack, she fished her useless phone from her pocket, dropped it inside and zipped it closed, then straightened the straps and turned to head out the sliding doors. Once back on the sidewalk, she halted, entirely too exhausted to even try coming up with a plan. At a loss, Jen forced her shaky legs to move out of the way for a family to enter the hotel, took off her bag, leaned against the brick and slid down to the cement, not caring about the damage to her already ruined clothing.

Drawing her knees up to her chest, she made sure her good arm was through the straps of her bag and leaned forward until her head was resting on the ripped fabric of her jeans. The scrapes on her left cheek protested and she cringed, turning her head to watch the hotel entrance. Taking deep, calming breaths, she resigned herself to simply waiting, hoping that a familiar face would eventually pass by. A sharp pain knifed through her abdomen, her stomach growled again, and she began looking up and down the block, searching for any kind of restaurant that might accept a credit card. Finding nothing but a few clothing shops, a shoe store and a cigar shop, she put her head down again, trying her best to ignore the hunger.

What must have been hours later, the sun began to set, deep oranges and reds painting across the sky, and she had to consider that she was likely going to be spending the night on the streets of Berlin. Before long, the streetlights began to come on, letting her know that she probably needed to find a well-lit area to stay. For the millionth time, the doors of the hotel opened, and she used what little energy she had to get back to her feet, stumbling under the weight of her bag. Just as she was about to walk away, a large hand clamped down on her shoulder.

“Jen?”

The deep voice was music to her ears, and she whipped around so fast that she nearly fell over. “Lonnie?”

“Oh, thank God.” He stepped close, pulling her in for a tight hug. “How long have you been out here?”

“I have no idea. I think my train got in around three, then it took me a while to walk here, so … maybe three hours? Four? What time is it?” She shrugged against him. “I accidentally fell asleep at the train station in Frankfurt, and when I woke up, I’d missed my transfer to Hanover and my watch was gone. Scared me to death that I was so out of it, I didn’t even feel someone touching me. I haven’t slept since.” Leaning back, she fought to focus on him. “The desk clerk wouldn’t call for me, then couldn’t let me use the phone. My phone is dead, and I didn’t have any money for the payphone, so I was just going to wait around until somebody found me, but then the sun went down …”

“Let’s get you inside.” His hand closed around her left arm and she cried out at the flare of pain flashing between her shoulder and elbow. “I’m sorry, kid. Is the other arm better?” At her nod, he grasped her right arm gently and supported her as she struggled to walk. Halfway through the lobby, he cut a searing glance toward the clerks at the desk. “We’re here until Thursday morning. If I make any further requests or leave instructions and they aren’t met, I’ll be on the phone with your manager getting somebody’s ass fired. Is that understood?” Receiving wide-eyed nods from the staff, he turned and led her toward the elevators. “Damn, Tink. What the hell happened to you?”

“Of all the nicknames you could use, you’re going with that?” Heaving a sigh, she shook her head. “I fell getting off the train earlier. I’d blame it on how heavy my bag is, but without it, I wouldn’t have made it, so I really can’t complain.” She swallowed hard as her fingers played with the torn flannel of her shirt. “Josh gave me this, but I guess it’s headed for the trash now.”

“He’s been worried sick about you. The rest of the guys, too.” Helping her onto the elevator, he finally let his concern take over. “Let me have your bag. You look like you’re about to fall over.”

“Can’t sleep when you’re traveling alone. Bad things happen.” Weaving slightly as she took off her pack, she clamped a hand onto the safety bar attached to the wall. Her stomach growled again, echoing in the small car, and she whimpered, grimacing against the pain. “Ow.”

“When did you last eat?”

“Full meal? Wednesday. I think it was completely worn off even before the walk to the train station in Stuttgart Thursday night.”

Walk?” Horror filled his voice as she stared down at her. “That has to be ten miles, Jen.”

“Closer to eight. The last half was the worst, since it was dark by then.” A quiet laugh escaped. “All flights to Hamburg and Hanover were overbooked or grounded until Monday, there wasn’t a direct flight to Berlin until this morning and city buses and taxis don’t accept credit cards. Neither do vending machines. All the stores in town were already closed by the time I got started and none of the train stations had a restaurant or café. The first-class train to Frankfurt yesterday morning came with half of a peanut butter sandwich. This morning’s train had half of a ham and cheese.” She wrinkled her nose. “At least, I hope it was ham. It didn’t really look like actual meat.”

“My God.” The elevator sounded as they reached their floor, and Lonnie kept an eye on her as she stepped into the hallway, obviously unsteady on her feet. “JC’s room is one way and your bag is with Diane and Lynn going the other. Where to first?”

“You go for the bag. I’ll go to Josh.” Blinking quickly, she focused on him. “Which room?”

“714. Keep going this way and take the last hallway on the left. He’s a few rooms down on the right. His door should be propped open.” For a second, he considered going with her, but she’d already started moving. “I’ll be there in a few minutes with your stuff, okay?”

“Uh huh.” Very carefully, she moved in the direction Lonnie had pointed, turning down the hallway and struggling to read the room numbers. Sighing in relief, she let her finger trace the brass numbers attached to the wall. “714. Josh.” Her voice was barely a whisper as she pressed her hand against the door, slowly pushing it open.

At first, she couldn’t process the blonde leaning over him on the bed, her hair falling forward as she kissed him. JC’s hand was buried in the light curtain, holding her to him as his mouth moved against hers repeatedly, his voice so soft as he spoke that Jen couldn’t make out anything until he backed away slightly, his eyes still closed, his tone dreamy. “There’s a party Monday night after the release. I’m hoping you’ll go with me.”

Sara hummed a reply and kissed him again, her hand resting on his chest as she leaned in closer.

And Jen finally realized that she was interrupting. As quietly as she could, she backed out of the room, carefully keeping the door from slamming behind her. Everything was in slow motion as she turned to walk back the way she came, the edges of her vision becoming blurred, then dark as she neared the end of the hall. By the time she was rounding the corner, she had only a small window of focus, barely able to make out the large figure coming toward her.

“Jen? Where are you going?” Lonnie’s voice was concerned as he came to a stop before her, her suitcase at his side. “Did you see Jace?”

“He’s … dizzy.” Her voice was weak as she tried to stand still, swaying dangerously back and forth.

“Dizzy? What do you mean?”

“No. Busy. He’s … busy.” Shaking her head slowly, she tried to continue. “I … I’m … dizzy …” Everything went black as her eyes rolled back in her head and she slumped forward, pitching toward the floor.

“Whoa. Jenny?” Lonnie moved quickly, catching her before she could collapse completely. “Jen?” She gave no response as he shook her, repeating her name, then effortlessly lifted her into his arms. “Come on, Tink. Don’t do this.” Turning around, he grabbed the handle on her bag and sped back toward the room he’d just left. Shifting her carefully against him, he knocked loudly on the door. “Diane? It’s Lonnie.”

“I thought you were checking on Jace and …” Diane fell silent mid-sentence as she caught sight of the girl passed out against the bodyguard’s chest. “Oh, Lord. What happened?”

“Exhaustion. Dehydration. Starvation. Take your pick.” He pushed through the door and into the room, only stopping when he could lay Jen down on one of the beds. “I knew she wasn’t right as soon as I saw her, but she just kept pushing right through. Stubborn little fairy.” Shaking his head, he leaned down, slightly relieved that her breathing didn’t seem labored. “Poor thing’s been through hell and finally hit the end of the line.” Gently, he pressed his fingers to the side of her neck, feeling for a pulse. Her heartbeat was quick and light, and his forehead creased in worry. “I don’t like her pulse. Not good.”

The bathroom door opened, and Lynn stepped out, towel drying her hair. “Hey.” She froze when she saw Jen lying motionless on the bed, clothes torn, skin a ghostly white where it wasn’t red and scraped. “My God. Was she attacked?”

“I don’t think so. She said her watch was stolen in Frankfurt and that she fell getting off a train today.” Lonnie ran a hand over his bald head in frustration. “I don’t know what to do. She needs a doctor, but I don’t want to move her any more than I already have, just in case she did something when she fell.”

“This hotel has a concierge doctor on staff. I’ll call and see if he’s on duty tonight.” Lynn dropped the towel and reached for the phone between the beds. She punched in the numbers and listened as it rang, her expression brightening when someone answered. “Yes, we need medical service in room 761. Is the doctor available? Good. Send him as soon as you can.” Her eyes jumped back to Lonnie. “What are her symptoms?”

“Really?” With a growl, he took the phone from her. “Yeah, remember the girl you let hang around on the sidewalk for God knows how long instead of calling me like I asked you to? Well, she just fainted in the hallway. She’s not had any sleep since Wednesday, hasn’t eaten anything more than a sandwich since then and I can’t even guess what she’s had to drink, if anything. She fell off a train earlier today, and I’m afraid she might’ve hit her head. So unless the doc wants a very angry black man dragging him up here by the hair, he’d better get his ass in gear now.” Breathing heavily, he listened to the trembling assurance from the clerk. “Thank you.” The sarcasm was thick in his voice as he slammed the phone back down.

“You’d better go get Jace.” Diane’s voice shook a bit as she stared at Jen. “She’s going to need him.”

“She was heading his direction before I came here, but when I caught her in the hall, she said he was dizzy. Or busy?” His eyes narrowed in confusion. “I don’t know what she meant. He was asleep when I went down and found her.”

“Well, I think we need to wake him up.” Diane reached down, tucking Jen’s hair behind her ear. “Something isn’t right, and he’s going to want to be here.”

“Yeah. Be right back.” Lonnie went out the door and back down the hall, stopping only to direct the doctor as he stepped off the elevator with a large cart before speeding on toward JC’s room. The door was propped open, just as he’d left it, but when he pushed his way inside, he froze at the scene before him. “Sara? What the hell are you doing?”

*********************

As worn out as he was, JC was slightly amused at how vivid his dreams were. The solid panic he’d been in since Wednesday had finally caught up to him, and he hadn’t been able to stand it any longer. Only after Lonnie had sworn that he’d wake him up when Jen arrived had he allowed himself even a little bit of rest.

Somehow, he knew that he was still waiting. That his Jenny was still missing somewhere in Germany.

But this dream … God, I hope I remember this in the morning.

He felt a hum in his throat as Jen’s fingers ran through his hair, her lips meeting his again and again. His hand tingled, his fingers moving over her face and to the back of her neck, pulling her as close to him as he could. “Jenny.” Her name was a whisper on his lips, followed by a fear that she’d disappear if he spoke too loudly.

Tilting his chin up, he pressed as tightly to her as was possible. “Damn, Boof.” He felt her smile against him, and that only made him more enthusiastic with his kisses. A little confidence settled over him, making his voice a little louder. “There’s a party Monday night after the release. I’m hoping you’ll go with me.”

He heard a hum that sounded like an affirmative, felt her hand on his chest, and tightened his fingers in her hair, bringing her back to him, letting his free hand move over her curves as her touch began to roam over his body, leaving shivers everywhere it went. Several long, deep kisses later, he pulled back slightly, returning to a careful whisper. “I … I love you, Jen. I always have.”

Suddenly, there was a slamming noise and an angry voice carrying around the room. “Sara? What the hell are you doing?”

JC nearly sat up straight on the bed, torn violently from the dream, his eyes flying open to find the blonde hovering over him, her lips twisted in frustration as her hand fisted on his stomach. “Sara?” His hands came to her shoulders, fiercely pushing her away from him. “What’s going on?”

“Don’t even try to act like you weren’t enjoying it.” She smirked at him as she righted herself, letting her gaze run over his body. “It’s beyond obvious that I was getting you there.”

“Of course I was enjoying it. I was dreaming of Jen.” He blinked at her, still too confused to be embarrassed as his weary mind tried to process what had happened. “Why … why are you even here?”

“I just wanted to see what it was like.”

“Seriously?” Shaking his head in astonishment at her simple answer, his eyes settled into a steely glare. “You really get your kicks by making unwanted advances on guys who don’t even know you’re there?”

“I don’t usually have to …” She trailed off, studying him carefully. “How much do you remember?”

“Why?” He thought back over the dream, slightly relieved that the details were already fading, but feeling absolutely nauseous over what he could recall. Knowing it had only been Jen in his head, while Sara had been there in reality, suddenly made everything much worse. “Oh, God. I think I’m going to …”

“Okay.” Lonnie stepped in, putting himself between Sara and the bed. “You look green, C. Get to the bathroom. Now.” He watched as JC obeyed, rolling off the mattress and stumbling to the bathroom, just barely getting the light on before a retching sound came through the doorway. With an exasperated groan, Lonnie turned back to the blonde. “Happy now? You literally made him sick. Get your ass out of here. If I find you in any of their rooms again, you’re going to be feeling a hurt you can’t even begin to imagine.”

“Just try it.” Her shoulders squared defiantly. “You can’t do anything to me. Lay a hand on me and I’ll cry assault.”

“And thirty people on this crew will yell self-defense. Don’t forget that every single person on this team hates your guts. You have zero friends here. And if you think sexual assault charges can only be brought against men, you’re off in the head.” Shaking his head, he pointed past her to the door. “Get out. Johnny will take care of you when he gets here Monday.”

“Whatever.” Rolling her eyes, she flounced out of the room, not quite hiding the satisfied smirk tilting her lips.

“God in Heaven, help me.” Lonnie cast his eyes to the ceiling before taking a deep breath and moving toward the bathroom. “How’re you holding up, boy? Gonna live?”

“I think so.” JC mumbled, trembling fingers coming up to flush the toilet before he sat back on the floor, leaning against the wall. “Just … just keep her away from me. Please.”

“I’m trying, but I really can’t be everywhere.” Reaching down, Lonnie offered him a hand up. “Come on, get yourself cleaned up. We need to go.”

“Go?” Glancing down to make sure his shorts and t-shirt were still clean, JC picked up his toothbrush and toothpaste. “Where are we going?”

“Your girl made it in.”

“What?” Eyes wide, JC met Lonnie’s gaze in the mirror. “Jen’s here?”

“Yeah. She’s down with Diane and Lynn.” Tapping him on the shoulder, the big man stepped out of the room. “Hurry up.”

Brushing his teeth quickly, he splashed water on his face as he swished mouthwash, instantly relieved at the fresh feeling. “How long has she been here?” Breezing out of the bathroom, he moved quickly past Lonnie and out the door, not even bothering with shoes. “And why is she with them? Weren’t you going to bring her to me?”

“That was the plan, yeah. But, Jace …” Lonnie grabbed his arm, pulling him to a halt. “We need to talk. Jen’s here, yes, but she’s in a pretty bad way.”

“What do you mean?” Blue eyes zeroed in on the guard’s face, carefully watching his reactions. “What happened to her?”

“I don’t really know for sure, and she may never tell all of it.” The big man sighed, beginning to walk again at a slow pace. “The hotel’s doctor is with her right now. I’m afraid she’s dehydrated and exhausted. She hasn’t really eaten much of anything since we lost her Wednesday, either.” His hand gripped the doorknob, and a pain shot through him at the expression on JC’s face. “And she said that she fell getting off the train today. She doesn’t look good, man. I just want you to prepare yourself.”

“Okay.” Taking a deep breath, JC straightened his shoulders. With the best smile he could muster, he nodded toward the door. “Well, what are we waiting for? My girl needs me.”

“Thatta boy.” Lonnie knocked quickly. “Diane? Lynn?”

The door opened and Lynn stepped back to let them in. “Jace, this is Dr. Williams. He’s just about finished with his exam.”

“How is she?” JC didn’t hesitate, stepping into the room and immediately making his way to the side of the bed across from the doctor. “Is she okay?”

“There’s no impact injury to the head that I can tell, just some scrapes to her face. Looks like the majority of the bruising is to her arm and hip, probably from trying to shield herself during the fall. I don’t feel any fractures or breaks, so that’s a good thing.” Dr. Williams continued his assessment, barely glancing up to see the stricken reaction in JC’s eyes when he got his first good look at the girl on the bed. “I have an antiseptic and cream for the scrapes. They should heal nicely, with time. I’m not too happy about her pulse … it’s too fast, too light. Dehydration, probably.”

Diane stepped out of the way as the doctor moved toward his cart, lifting out a silver pole that expanded out into a tall stand. “Dehydration is fairly common, and we stay prepared for it. Normally we’d just have the patient slowly drink large amounts of water or Gatorade, but with her being unconscious, that’s not an option. I’ll need to set up an IV to help her body rehydrate.” He looked up at Lonnie. “Does she have any allergies?”

“Penicillin.” JC spoke up, never looking away from Jen. “Hazelnuts, avocado, pineapple and kiwi. The fruit really just make her mouth tingly, though. She still eats them sometimes. Hazelnuts are bad news.”

“No latex allergies?”

“No. At least, not that I know of.”

“Good, good. Who was with her when she passed out?”

“I was.” The guard nodded.

“Did you speak to her before she lost consciousness? Did she say anything about any other kind of trauma?”

“No. Just that she hadn’t slept or eaten.” Lonnie cleared his throat. “And she had to walk eight miles to get to the train station in Stuttgart without having had food for over twenty-four hours. I don’t know about water. She didn’t mention it.”

“Mmm.” Dr. Williams nodded, hanging the bag of solution on the pole and attaching the tubing. “Overexertion. And when did she pass out?”

“About …” Looking down at his new watch – his gift from Jen – Lonnie tried to think back. “Maybe twenty minutes ago?” Feeling JC’s eyes on him, he kept his focus on the doctor. “We hadn’t been up here very long.”

“Okay.” Working quickly, the doctor prepared the needle and tapped around on Jen’s left hand, feeling for a vein. Furrowing his brow, he pressed harder, talking to himself. “Definitely dehydrated. Come on … ah, there it is.” Within seconds, the IV was inserted, the liquid dripping steadily from the bag. “I really wouldn’t expect her to wake before morning. The poor girl’s been through a lot, it seems, and she’ll need the time to recover.” He cast a glance around the people in the room. “Will someone be staying with her?”

“Yes.” The answer was unanimous, all voices carrying at once.

“Good.” Packing his things back on the cart, he arched an eyebrow as JC stretched out on the bedspread next to Jen, wrapping his fingers around hers and leaning down to kiss the top of her head. “I’ll need to check on her again tonight, to see if we need another bag and bandage what I can of her scrapes.” He checked his watch. “Probably around midnight. Is that all right?”

“That’s fine.” JC looked down as Jen suddenly stiffened and pulled her fingers from his, then rolled over and cuddled against him, sighing as her left hand settled on his chest. Her touch immediately washed away some of the dirtiness he’d felt earlier, and his arm went around her tightly, holding her to him before he glanced up at Dr. Williams. “Does she need to lay flat, or is this okay?”

“However she wants to lay is fine, just be careful of the IV.” The doctor moved the pole closer to the bed, giving the tubing a little slack. “I want to check her pulse again, so keep her still for a moment.” Leaning over, he pressed his fingers to her neck, a small smile appearing as he counted. “It’s already better, and it’s too soon for it to be the fluid.” His eyes came up to meet JC’s. “Seems she might need you just as badly. Stay with her, if you can. She’ll improve much quicker.” Pushing the cart toward the door, he gave a nod. “Call down to my office if the bag empties, otherwise, I’ll be back later.”

“Thank you.” Diane let him out, then turned to face the room. “Okay, so now what?”

“Now we wait and let her rest.” Lonnie looked to JC. “I know you don’t want to, but you’ve got those interviews in the morning and you need to rest, too. Johnny’s not going to be happy if you don’t look as fresh as you can.”

“I’m not leaving her.” JC’s voice was firm. “Not until I have to. I’ll sleep better here with her than I ever would in my own room, not knowing how she’s doing.” His glance went to the ladies who had moved to sit on the other bed. “I hate to put anybody out, but would you mind trading rooms for the night? If she’s able to move tomorrow, I’ll take her with me, but for tonight we have to stay put.”

“No problem. A change of clothes and we’ll be good.” Lynn gave a small smile. “Should we let the others know she’s here? They won’t be able to talk to her, but they might want to just check in. I know Justin wants to see her.”

“Good idea.” His brow furrowed. “Maybe just a few at a time, though. Too many people around might bother her.” Looking up quickly, he tried to smile. “Chris and J first?”

“Sure. We’ll stop by their rooms on the way down, then they can send Joey and Lance over.” Diane moved over to the bed, letting her fingers comb gently through Jen’s hair, pulling it away from the shiny medicine on her cheek. “Poor, sweet girl. And all for spite.”

“Lonnie?” JC’s voice had an edge to it.

“Yeah?” Lonnie moved cautiously to the foot of the bed, anticipating what was coming.

“When did she pass out?”

“C, you don’t …”

“She came to my room, didn’t she?” His chest rose in a hard breath. “She saw that?”

“I don’t know, kid. Maybe.” Lonnie sighed, running a hand over his face. “She was out of it to start with, but was determined to get to you, so I let her go your direction while I came here to give these ladies a heads up and grab her stuff. The next thing I know, she’s coming toward me in the hallway, saying something about your being dizzy, or being busy … then she was out. I couldn’t understand what she was trying to tell me, because I knew I’d left you sleeping.”

Damn.” JC buried his face in her hair. “I already want to kill her, but if she’s ruined this for me, I swear to God …”

“What are you talking about?” Lynn looked questioningly between the two. “What happened?”

“When I went down to wake him up, I found Sara in his room, getting mighty friendly while the boy was asleep.”

“You’re kidding.” Diane’s eyes widened. “Really?”

“Yep. And I was dreaming about Jenny, so I wasn’t exactly pulling away.” A groan rattled through JC’s chest. “I didn’t wake up until Lonnie came in, and by then … God, I feel so dirty.” Hugging Jen tighter, he pressed his lips to her forehead. “Part of me doesn’t even want to be here touching her, because I don’t want to spread it to her, too. She’s already been through hell because of me, and I’m terrified that no matter what, I’m never going to be able to really protect her.”

“Don’t blame yourself, Jace.” Diane squeezed his shoulder. “None of this is your fault. One twisted girl can’t handle that you love someone else. That’s her problem, not yours. Jenny just got caught in the crossfire.” An uncharacteristically hard look settled across her face as she turned back to Lonnie. “Do we really have to wait for Johnny to get here? Can’t we just send her packing now?”

“I’ve already talked to him.” Lonnie gave half a shrug. “He couldn’t understand why I thought we were starting out anywhere other than Hamburg. Turns out, she’d had a final schedule for weeks, just kept it from us until we got on the plane. He wasn’t very happy about Tink being ditched, either. Sara’s as good as gone, but he wants to address the issue in person. Unless he changes his mind after I call him with tonight’s update, we have to wait it out.”

“So we’re probably stuck with her until sometime Monday.” Lynn shook her head, pulling some clothes from the dresser, before looking up at the guard. “Diane took a few pictures before the doctor came in, just in case we need them.”

Everyone froze as Jen shifted, her arm coming up to wrap around JC’s neck, her face pressing into his shoulder. Her lips tilted in a slight smile as she hummed softly, relaxing completely against him, becoming still once again. One of the train stations must’ve had a shower, because he caught a faint floral hint of shampoo cutting through the antiseptic. That familiar smell sent a flood of relief washing through him, and he felt his own smile forming as he tightened his arms around her, kissed the side of her head and spoke quietly. “That’s it, Boof. Get comfortable. I’m not going anywhere.”

“I can see why you love taking photos of the two of them. They’re beautiful together.” Lynn grinned toward her roommate, moving the IV pole as close to the bed as she could before picking up her bag. “They belong on magazine covers.”

“Don’t they?” Diane laughed quietly, gathering what she needed for the night before turning to the door, sending a smile to the pair on the bed. “You know where we are if you need anything.”

“Yeah, thanks.” JC glanced toward Lonnie. “Could you go with them to grab some clothes for me to wear tomorrow? I don’t think we have to do the photo thing, so I really don’t care what you pick. And let Chris and J come back with you?”

“Sure. I’m gonna stop by my room, too, and stay here tonight in case you fall asleep before the doc comes back.”

His brow furrowed as he saw how torn her shirt was, the sleeve missing from where Dr. Williams had been checking her injuries. “Hey, Lon?”

“Yeah?”

“There’s a purple shirt hanging in the closet that looks a lot like this one.” He nodded down toward Jen’s shoulder. “Bring it with you, too? This was her favorite.”

“Will do.”

“Thanks, big guy.”

*********************

The room was bright as she came awake, her eyelids fluttering quickly against the pain in her head. With a groan, she rolled to her back, staring at the ceiling as her eyes slowly focused. “God, that hurts.” Carefully, she sat up, looking around the hotel room, trying to remember where she was.

On the bedside table, there was a large bottle of water sitting beside a pack of peanut butter crackers, some cheese and grapes, what appeared to be a blueberry muffin and a bottle of Tylenol. With a sigh of relief, she reached for the water and twisted open the top, taking a few sips to wet her parched mouth before noticing the letter lying beside the phone. As she picked it up, she saw the bandages on her hand and forearm, and her missing sleeve. “What the hell?” Her brow furrowed as she focused on the piece of paper.

Morning, Boof.

I was hoping to be here when you woke up, but we’ve got interviews scheduled in one of the conference rooms this morning, then some radio things for the rest of the day. We’ll be out until this evening, so you’ll get a chance to catch up on your sleep. The Funky Bunch and the security team are all hoping you’ll feel like seeing everybody by the time we get back. Maybe join us for dinner, even if it’s just to sit and talk.

The doc said you’d wake up with a monster of a headache, so make sure to take some pills. He also said that you needed to drink a lot today, but don’t chug the water. It’ll make you sick. Drink slowly and eat a little bit at a time. I left a snack to get you started, but if you’re really hungry, the hotel has a great restaurant. Diane is staying behind and said she’d love to have lunch with you. Just call over to room 714 and she’ll be right down.

I’ve got your phone charging. It was beeping after I plugged it in, so you may have some messages to check. Lynn called your mom last night to let her know that you’d made it to the hotel, but she wants to hear from you as soon as you’re able. She was just as scared as the rest of us.

Your bag is in the closet and your backpack is over by the table. Diane went ahead and put your shower things in the bathroom. I put a few more waters and some of your favorite Gatorade in the fridge. If you need anything else, just let Diane or the front desk know, and you’ll have it. If you’re feeling up to it, I’ll move you over to our room once we get back in.

I know how antsy you get, but please don’t try to push yourself today. Take it easy and relax. Lynn left some of her bubble bath so you can soak for a while if you want. The doc left more cream and extra bandages for your scrapes. They’re on the bathroom counter so you can put on fresh once you get cleaned up. You were already looking much better when he stopped in this morning, and he said you’ll heal quickly. We’re supposed to make sure you see him before we turn in for the night, just so he can check you out again.

We couldn’t save your shirt, but there’s a new one for you on the dresser. It just wouldn’t be the same if you didn’t have your favorite purple flannel to wear.

If you want, you can call Lonnie to let us know how you’re doing. He’ll have his phone with him and said you’d already stored his number. Let me rephrase that: PLEASE call the big guy at some point today. I know I was with you all night, but you really scared me, Jenny. The day will go quicker if he’s able to tell me that you were awake and talking.

Get some rest and I’ll see you sometime after six.

- Josh


She smiled, running her thumb over his name, and stretched out on the bed. Looking around, her gaze landed on the clock, its red numbers displaying a bright 10:00. “Well, guess I’m being lazy today.” She took a few more sips of water, washing down a couple of the pills, then reached for the muffin and the remote for the TV. “Wonder if they have anything in English?”

By half past eleven, she’d given up on channel surfing, finished her snack and water, downed half a bottle of the Gatorade, stuffed the ruined purple shirt into her backpack, showered and replaced her bandages. Looking at herself in the mirror, she frowned at the large white patch that covered her cheek. JC had been right – her scrapes already appeared to be healing, not nearly as angry looking as they’d been yesterday, and she hoped that she’d be able to go without the covering soon. Her skin was still a little pale beneath the flush from the warm water, but she knew that she already felt better than she had in days.

During her shower, she’d had flashbacks of the night before, images of Lonnie in the lobby mixing in with memories of finding Sara in JC’s room. At first, those flashes had stolen her breath, pain cracking through her chest as tears gathered in her eyes and mixed with the water flowing over her face. But then, the pictures had cleared, and she’d begun to realize what she’d walked in on. The pain was immediately replaced by a searing anger, so hot that it’d felt as if she was burning alive, and she’d had to force herself to stay put and not hunt the blonde down.

Taking a deep, relaxing breath, she hugged the soft hotel robe around her body and moved slowly back into the main room. Fetching her luggage keys from her backpack, she pulled her bag from the closet and decided to leave it on the floor rather than trying to lift it up onto the bed. A little while later, she’d dressed in loose, soft khakis and an oversized t-shirt, slipped on a pair of comfortable shoes and worked her mostly dry hair into a ponytail.

Her stomach growled, and she smiled when it wasn’t followed by a stabbing pain. Yes, things were looking much better today. Reaching for the phone, she dialed Diane’s room number. In no time, the door was opening, and the older woman was hugging her tightly. “It’s so good to see you up and about, honey. You had us all scared last night.”

“Well, I’m not running any marathons, but I think I’m okay to take it slow.” Jen laughed, returning the embrace. “Are you sure you’re ready for lunch? I can wait a little while if you aren’t.”

“If you’re ready, then I am.” Moving back, Diane looked her up and down. “You may have curves, but you’re really a tiny thing. There aren’t too many meals that you need to miss.” Her fingers came up to the bandage on Jen’s cheek. “Before you know it, this will be gone, and you’ll be yourself again. You’ve already got a bit of your sparkle back.”

“Thanks.” Her stomach growled again, loudly, and they both laughed. “Yeah, I think it’s time to eat. What’s good around here?”

The restaurant in the lobby had the option of a warm food bar, or a lunch menu of sandwiches, soups and salads. Thinking better of the bar, Jen ordered a sandwich with soup, then smiled as Diane left their table to go fill her plate from the buffet. The waiter had just left their drinks and Jen was staring out the window at the garden behind the hotel when she heard someone take the seat across from her. “Did they have what you wanted?”

“I’m pretty sure you’ve still got what I want. Unless you were actually paying attention last night.”

Jen jerked her gaze from the window to the blonde across the table, letting out an exasperated groan before running her hands over her face. “I haven't been awake long enough to deserve this fresh hell today, damn it.”

“You're breathing, aren't you? You definitely deserve it.” Sara laughed humorlessly, staring her down. “I didn’t even know you’d made it in, but I really couldn’t have timed it any better. Considering everybody’s reactions and how they kicked me out, I figured something had gone down with you. Do you remember anything, or were you really that out of it?”

“Oh, I remember every second.” It took a superhuman effort to keep from hurling herself across the table, choking the life out of her new companion. “Should it matter?”

“I would hope so. He was definitely getting a good feel of everything I’ve got to offer.”

“Sara, sweetie, I’ve never counted on him ending up with me. I’ve been expecting Josh to find someone else ever since he left me back in Florida, some girl who does a better job of checking his boxes than I do. So far, for whatever reason, he’s decided to stick with me.” Jen tilted her head to the side, arching an eyebrow. “I’ve been there for every girlfriend he’s ever had, and while he’s made some odd choices, he’s never been a complete idiot about it. If you think I believe that he’d ever choose you, then you’re an entirely new breed of stupid.”

The icy blue gaze narrowed. “But he was …”

“He was asleep.” Shaking her head, Jen blinked at her. “I’ve known him for fifteen years. That’s plenty of sleepovers for me to see exactly how far gone he gets when he’s hit a wall. Do you really think I can’t tell if he’s awake or not?” Her lips quirked into a small smile. “I also know sexual assault when I see it.”

“You can’t prove that.”

“Maybe not, but let me make myself clear.” She leaned across the table, staring directly into Sara’s eyes. “You crossed a line and I’m done playing nice, you twisted witch. I may not have a permanent claim on him, but until he tells me otherwise, he’s mine. Stay away from him and leave me alone.”

“Sara, you need to leave. Right now.” Diane’s voice came from a few tables away, her pace picking up when she saw the girls sitting together. “You’ve caused enough trouble.”

“I was just going.” Sara smirked, leaning in so that only Jen could hear her. “But I’m really just getting started.”

“You don’t seem to be understanding me.” As Sara rose from the seat and moved past, Jen grabbed her wrist with surprising strength, pulling her closer. “Everybody seems to think that because I’m short, I must be helpless and need protecting. Don’t make that mistake.” Glancing to the side, she focused on Diane. “Are you hearing me, Diane? I want a witness to this.” At the woman’s wide-eyed nod, she turned back to Sara, brown eyes flashing as she tightened her grip. “I’ve worked with kids for years, so I've always had a high level of patience, but you’ve reached my limit. You’ve pissed me off, and I’m not even the slightest bit afraid of you. If you try another stunt like what you’ve already pulled, if you mess with Josh, if you touch me or even speak to me in a way that I don’t like, I will snatch you bald and beat your sorry, worthless ass beyond bloody before you even know what’s happening.” Blue eyes widened in surprise at the steel in her voice, and Jen narrowed her stare, her fingernails digging painfully into Sara’s skin. “I may be small, but I’ve taken down much bigger targets than you by accident. You really don’t want to see what I can do when I’m angry, so do not test me, you stupid bitch. I wouldn’t give a second thought about going full-on Madusa on your ass and tossing you around that ring like a rag doll.” Releasing her, she turned to smile sweetly at Diane and reached for her glass of water. “You’ve been warned. Now run along before I change my mind and just lay you out right here.”

By the time the waiter had brought her food, Sara had escaped to the elevator and Diane was looking at her with a new respect. “Does Jace know his sweet little Jenny is really a firecracker when she gets her back up?”

“Oh, he knows. He’s just never really seen it.” Jen laughed as she took a bite of her sandwich. “Well, not on purpose.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Joey scared me once and I took him down with a right hook.”

“You’re not serious.” Diane’s gaze traveled over her, doubt lifting her brow. “Our Joey?”

“Yep. None of them have tried to sneak up on me since.” Her eyes sparkled and she sipped a spoonful of soup. “They all have this strange idea that I’m some kind of happy little fairy, spreading magic, cheer and sweets.”

“Well, you kind of are. To them, anyway. They’re a totally different group when you’re around.”

“Oh, I’m sure they are. They’re terrified the dessert train might derail. And the two that live with me are probably slightly afraid my kitchen will become permanently closed.” Jen snorted. “This ‘little fairy’ was already training in self-defense, then took a taekwondo class as a Phys Ed elective in my first semester and loved it. I just earned my second level blue belt last month and started the brown belt training.” Another go at the soup and she reached for her napkin. “Shan – my agent’s assistant’s husband – is doing some remodeling for me and has been working on my basement over the last few weeks. He was a champion boxer in college, and when he found out how many nights I’m in the house alone, he decided to hang a bag and teach me a few street fighting techniques.” A shrug lifted her shoulders. “My size is an asset, because nobody expects much from me, but as long as I’m not dead on my feet, I can hold my own in a fight.”

“I don’t want it to come to that.” Diane took a sip of her water. “But there’s a little part of me that would love to see you leave her bloody.”

“I guess we’ll just have to wait and see. You heard me warn her.”

“Yeah, I did. But it’s Sara. Do you really think she’ll listen?”

“As long as I can have a nap first, I kind of hope she doesn’t.” Their eyes met across the table for a second before they both dissolved into laughter.

Chapter Nineteen by Renee

 

It was nearly six thirty when JC hopped out at the hotel’s entrance, making quick work of the distance through the lobby toward the elevators.

“Jace!”

He turned at the voice, smiling when he found Diane getting up from a couch facing the rear gardens. “Hey.” Changing direction, he approached her, his smile becoming a grin when he saw Jen curled up against one of the armrests. “How is she?”

“She’s doing good.” Diane bent down to pick up her bag. “I was starting to get worried, then she called me around noon. Said she’d slept in, eaten the snack you’d left her, cleaned up and was ready for lunch.” With a quiet laugh, she shook her head. “She ate well, and the staff let her take a large bowl of fruit and cheese and some crackers back upstairs. I hung out in the room with her, just to make sure everything was okay. She made a few phone calls this afternoon, and was trying to move around a bit, but I think she’s starting to feel sore. If she gets still, she’s out like a light.”

“Good. At least she’s resting.” Looking over his shoulder, he saw the van still parked at the curb. “Go on out. We’ll be right behind you.” He watched as she nodded, then made her way to the entrance before kneeling beside the couch. “Jenny?” Her stomach growled loudly, and he laughed, bringing a hand to her face, being careful of the bandage covering her cheek. “Hey, Boof. Ready to eat?”

“Mmm.” She breathed deeply, humming as his fingers combed through her hair, coming awake slowly. “Josh?”

“Yep. If you’ll wake up, I’ll feed you.”

“Awesome.” Sitting up, she blinked, yawned and stretched, her brow furrowing as her stomach growled again. “I really shouldn’t be hungry, but I’m starving.”

“Well, you’re having to catch up.” Reaching for her hands, he stood and pulled her to her feet, watching carefully that she was steady enough to stand. “Come on. Some of the best pasta you’ll ever eat is waiting.” Before he could turn to lead the way, she’d stepped close to him, wrapping her arms around his waist and pressing her face into his chest. He hugged her tightly, leaning down to kiss the top of her head. “Are you all right?”

“I’m getting there.” Tilting her head back, her eyes met his, a small smile lifting her lips. “All I could think about was finding you.” Her voice was weary as she rested her cheek against him. “Now that I have, I don’t want to let you go.”

“You don’t have to. Not right now, anyway.” Lowering his hands, he was careful where he gripped her. “Don’t let me hurt you, okay?” He felt her nod and held his breath as he lifted her up off the floor and into his arms, sighing when she never flinched. Pressing his lips to the side of her head, he started moving. “And don’t fall asleep on me, either. There’s a van full of people out front waiting to see you.”

“I won’t.” She laughed into his shoulder, tightening her arms around his neck as he carried her toward the door. “There’s food out there somewhere. Did you say pasta? I love pasta.”

“I know. One of Chris’ favorite restaurants is on the other side of the city and has a whole menu of it. You’ve got to try the spaetzle. And they’ve got this chocolate streusel cake that’ll make you cry. Tastes almost exactly like that lip gloss of yours.” A grin formed as he spoke, walking quickly to the van. “Here we go. See? Your public awaits.” A chorus of voices washed over them, and he felt her laughing again. “Think you can make it to the seat, or do you want me to pass you to somebody?”

“I’ve got it.” Finally releasing him, she let him set her in the van and gave a tired smile to all the relieved faces around her. “Hey, guys. You sure are a sight for sore eyes.”

“You’re telling us.” Chris slid over toward Tiny, giving her more room on the seat beside him. “Get in here, Gracie. Take a load off.”

“Thanks.” She moved slowly, wincing as she sat down. JC took the seat next to her, and she glanced up just in time to see the concerned look pass between him and Justin as he reached out to pull the door closed. Without thinking, she scooted closer to him, sighing when his arm went around her, pulling her into his side so she could relax against him as the van lurched into traffic. “I’m okay, I promise. I’m just sore and it hurts to move.” Pushing up her sleeve, she held out her arm to show off the deep purple bruising that began just above the bandage on her forearm and went all the way up toward her shoulder. “My hip looks worse than my arm, believe it or not. Face planting out of a train wearing a thirty-pound backpack is a little more extreme than falling down my stairs at home.”

“God, Shorty.” Justin’s brow furrowed as he leaned across the seat to get a better look. “You look a lot better than you did last night, though.”

“That’s good. I feel a lot better, too.” A quiet laugh shook her chest. “I’ve done nothing but eat and sleep all day, and Diane pampered me a lot more than she probably should have.” Shifting carefully, she sent an appreciative smile to the woman in the seat behind her. “Thank you.”

“You haven’t heard what I’ve got planned for us tomorrow.” Diane laughed, glancing back at Lynn. “While the boys are running themselves ragged all over the city, we’re going to have a spa day at the hotel. And I’m betting you don’t have anything to wear to the release party, so we’ll have to do a little shopping, too.”

“Party?” Jen’s eyes widened. “Right. There’s a party tomorrow night. I forgot all about it.” She turned toward JC. “It’s not formal, is it?”

“Not formal, but we can’t wear jeans, either. Think of it like you’re going clubbing.” He sighed, looking down at her. “You know I’d love for you to be there, but I don’t want you pushing yourself, Boof. If you don’t feel like …”

“Oh, I’m definitely not missing your release party.” Her hand found his, giving it a squeeze. “The album is awesome, and I want to celebrate with you. I’m so proud of you.” Raising her voice, she included them all. “I’m proud of all of you. As long as I take it easy the rest of the day, I should be fine.” She turned back to Diane and Lynn. “Some time in a steam bath sounds like heaven right now. And I saw some really pretty colors in a shop window just down the block across from the hotel, so I don’t think we’ll have to go very far.”

“Perfect. We’ll start there.” Diane arched a brow at Lonnie. “Any idea when Johnny will be in?”

“Last I heard, his flight was scheduled to land about an hour before we’re supposed to be at the club. I’d guess he’ll be meeting us there.” The guard turned around in his seat, eyes narrowed. “And that could be a problem, couldn’t it?”

“I’d say so.” Lynn spoke up from the back. “How are we handling it?”

“I’ll figure it out.” Lonnie looked to Tiny, then over at Kenny. “We may have to get creative.”

“What are you guys talking about?” Jen’s brow furrowed in confusion. “What problem?”

“Sara.” Lance spoke up from somewhere behind her. “They’re trying to figure out how to handle Sara.”

“I know exactly how to handle Sara.” Brown eyes turned fiercely toward Lonnie. “Let me have her. There won’t be anything left.”

“You should probably know that we’ve already had a little run-in with her today.” Diane cleared her throat, fighting back laughter. “I don’t think she was as sure of herself by the time Jen finished saying her piece. And she’s been well warned, so anything that may happen is completely on her.” Leaning forward, she placed a hand on JC’s shoulder and spoke softly. “Never let this little firecracker go. She’s priceless.”

“I don’t plan on it.” He winked at her, chuckling under his breath before turning back to Jen. “You’re not in any shape to be picking fights, Jenny.”

“I don’t really care.” She sighed wearily, sending him a look that told him she remembered things he’d much rather she didn’t. “That stunt she pulled could’ve landed me in the hospital, or worse. Your security team needs to know that if she tries anything else, she’s done.”

“I believe her exact words were that she’d snatch her bald and beat her sorry, worthless ass beyond bloody.” Diane barely got the words out before she dissolved into laughter, quickly joined by the rest of the group. “God, I wish you all could’ve seen Sara’s face.”

“Well, we all know Gracie packs a real punch in that tiny package.” Chris hooted. “Right, Joe?”

“Shut up, man. That was an accident.” Joey’s voice was a mixture of irritation and humor, and he crossed his arms, muttering an apology when he elbowed the guard beside him. “Sorry, Randy. She wouldn’t have been able to take me down like that in a fair fight.”

“Oh, really?” Jen arched an eyebrow at him. “Want another round, Joe Bear? I’ve learned some new tricks.”

“New tricks?” JC nudged her gently. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Never mind.” She held her breath as the van came to a stop at a light, the sudden rocking sending shocks of pain through her body. “Just know that if she comes at me again, I’ll lay her out. You know I can, and now she knows I’ll be happy to do it.”

“Sure.” Hearing the strain in her voice, he moved smoothly, keeping up casual conversation as he slid toward her on the seat and lifted her onto his lap. “Defend yourself if you need to, but don’t go looking for it. Please?” His arms held her still as the van began lurching through the intersection, his body absorbing the movement as he leaned closer to her ear and lowered his voice. “Better?”

“Much. Thanks.” Her relieved sigh was quiet, and she relaxed back against him, her head resting on his shoulder. In the rearview mirror, she caught Kenny checking on her and sent him a smile. “It’s okay, Kenny. You’re good.”

“Not too much further, Tink.” His eyes went back to the road. “Just over the bridge and a few blocks down. We’ll be there soon.”

“That reminds me.” She tilted her head back to look up at JC. “I wanted to see the bridge and the cathedral. Do you have any free time while we’re here? Other than now?”

“Yeah, we’re free after the photoshoots on Tuesday until we leave Thursday morning.” He bent down until he could kiss her cheek. “They want us to get out and be seen, so if you’re up to it, we’ll do the tourist thing.” A laugh escaped. “After this, we’re really going to Stuttgart for a few days, so we can still visit your castle, unless you got to see it before.”

“Great.” Her shoulders rose in a yawn, her voice carrying around the suddenly quiet van. “I should’ve been able to see it between the airport and the train station, but I wasn’t even halfway through the park when I lost the sun and it started getting dark. Jogging with that backpack didn’t give me much of a chance to stop and check out the scenery.”

His arms tightened around her as a low grumble flowed around the group, then one voice spoke over the others. “Miss Jenny?”

She glanced up in surprise, focusing on the large man on the other side of Chris. “Yeah, Tiny?”

“If she gets in your face, I’ll be happy to step aside and let you go to town.”

“Thank you, Tiny.” JC’s frustrated groan vibrated against her back and she laughed, leaning forward until she could reach across Chris and pat the guard’s arm. “I appreciate it.” Her laughter seemed to lighten the mood, and conversation picked back up where it had fallen off. Then she sat up straight as something occurred to her. “Lonnie? Is the party an open event?”

“No. They’ve rented one of the downtown clubs and only invited folks from radio, TV, the studio, and the label. Some of Johnny’s people, a few magazine reporters and photographers, and some local contest winners will be there, but no outsiders.” He turned around to look at her. “Why?”

“Are you guys working the door?”

“Not this time. We’ll be shadowing until we arrive, then on crowd control once we’re inside. The club has a staff that will work the entrance and check IDs.” His brow furrowed. “What are you thinking?”

“I’m thinking Sara set this entire thing up. What are the chances that my name even makes it on the list?”

“Well, damn.” Lonnie shook his head in frustration. “You’re right.”

“She’ll be with Jace.” Lance spoke up. “Won’t they let him have a plus one?”

“Not at this club. If you’re not on the list, you don’t get in. You guys even have to show your IDs to get through the door, and it’s your party.” A deep sigh escaped as they pulled to a stop at another intersection. “I don’t get to see the names at all.”

“How about Johnny?” Justin leaned forward, reaching out to touch Jen’s shoulder. “Doesn’t he get final say?”

“I’m sure he does, but he doesn’t control which list the staff goes by.” The guard faced forward, thinking quickly. “I’ll call and give him a heads up about what could happen. He’s already mad about the 'mix up' with the flights and schedules, so I don’t think he’d dig his heels in about letting me take point with the club staff.” His eyes met Jen’s in the mirror. “We’ll take care of you, Tink. I promise.”

“I know you will.” She let her gaze travel out the window as they pulled up in front of the restaurant, her voice lowering to a quiet murmur. “She’s the one who hates that I’m even breathing.”

*********************

Jen managed to stay awake through their meal – raving about both the pasta and the dessert – but by the time they were back in the van, she was passed out in JC’s arms, hugging him around the neck and breathing steadily against his shoulder. Back at the hotel, he and Lonnie located the doctor’s office and roused her up just enough to have a quick check up. Dr. Williams was pleased at her progress and declared that she should be able to remove the bandage from her cheek in the morning, but suggested leaving the wrappings on her forearm, thigh and shin for another day or two. Armed with a small bottle of pain medication and instructions to let her sleep, eat and drink as much as she wanted, Lonnie took over carrying duties as they made their way to their rooms.

Diane had tapped JC on the shoulder during the ride back, letting him know that she’d moved all of Jen’s things to his room while she’d been napping that afternoon. He’d thanked her, relieved he wouldn’t have to leave her to go gather her bags. Without having to make any extra stops, they breezed down the halls until he was able to slide his keycard through the slot. He opened the door and stepped inside, holding it for Lonnie to pass through, careful not to jostle Jen or knock her against the doorjamb.

“Give her the bed by the balcony. It’s further away from the air conditioner.” JC moved to the thermostat, raising the temperature a bit in the cool room as Lonnie laid her down on the soft mattress. She sighed quietly, rolling onto her right side and burrowing her face into the pillow.

“I’d say she’s out for the night.” Lonnie chuckled, glancing up at him. “And she’ll probably be really hungry when she wakes up. Should we call downstairs to see if they have any more of those crackers to leave for her, or do you think she’ll feel like eating breakfast with the other ladies?”

“She loves breakfast almost as much as she loves pasta, so I’d bet she’ll be eating in the restaurant.” JC grinned, making quick work of slipping off her shoes and pulling the comforter over her, wrapping it around her loosely. “We might need to let Lynn or Diane know about her pills. She’s supposed to take them with a good meal, so maybe they’ll be okay with a larger breakfast.”

“I’ll go down there before I turn in. I’m sure they’ll do whatever keeps her comfortable.” A frown marred the guard’s face. “I’m not sure about the spa day, though. Won’t that hurt her? Or make it worse?”

“Lynn said they’d asked about it. They have a less intensive package that’s supposed to relieve soreness and stress. She said something about a session in an aromatherapy steam bath, a salon and some other girly type stuff.” His grin softened into a smile as he brushed the stray hair out of her face. “Sounds like exactly what she needs right now.”

“That and you.” A big hand clapped over JC’s shoulder. “Don’t forget how much she needs you, boy.”

“I won’t.” Leaning down, he pressed a kiss to her forehead. “I need her, too.”

“Did you guys talk earlier?”

“No. We didn’t really have time.” A sigh shook through JC’s chest. “But she knows. We’ll talk about it once she’s able to focus on something other than recovering.”

“She knows?” Lonnie arched a brow at him. “Are you sure? She didn’t say anything.”

“I’m sure. It was all over her face when we were talking in the van.”

“She didn’t look anything other than worn out and pissed to me.”

“I’ve been reading her face since she was six years old, big guy.” Shaking his head, he let out a quiet laugh. “She wasn’t that mad about what Sara did to her. She was furious about what she did to me.” Moving slowly, he dropped wearily onto the foot of the other bed. “You and the rest of your guys need to be keeping a close eye on her anytime Sara might be in the same room. She wasn’t kidding when she said she’d be happy to take her out. Jen has a really mean right hook when she decides to use it.”

“I’ll pass along the word, but I doubt any of them would bother to step in, unless she was about to get hurt.” Lonnie crossed his arms over his chest. “It didn’t take more than a few hours for the little fairy to wrap them all around her pinkie finger. Even Tiny had problems sleeping while she was lost, and nothing fazes that guy.” A grin formed as he gave an exasperated shake of his head. “Hell, she got to me, too. I haven’t even known the kid for a week, and it already feels like she’s torn my heart out.”

“Crazy thing is, she doesn’t even know she does it.” JC smiled, falling back on the bed with a yawn. “Sorry you got stuck here with me, Lon. I know you’d much rather have gone out partying with the others.”

“Shut your mouth, boy. The good Lord above was smiling on me when I got assigned to you. I’ve never been this rested.” Biting back a booming laugh, the big man turned toward the door. “I’m running down to see Diane and Lynn real quick. If they tell me anything other than they’ll see her for breakfast, I’ll stop back by. Otherwise, I’ll be next door if you need anything.”

“Thanks, man. ’Night.”

“’Night, kid.”

*********************

The room was softly lit by the muted glow of the city lights around the curtains when he came awake to the rush of water running in the bathroom. The scrubbing sound of a toothbrush carried through the wall and he smiled, glad she’d found her bag underneath the sink. Stretching under the covers, he blinked at the ceiling and listened until he heard the light flick off and the door open, then rolled over to face her side of the room. “Boof?”

“Yeah. Sorry, Josh.”

“It’s all right.” Lifting the blanket and sheet, he slid over on the mattress. “Come on.” Without hesitation, she came directly to him, settling carefully on her right side before hugging herself to him. Letting the covers fall back down, he wrapped his arms around her and kissed her softly. “Are you okay?”

“I think so. The medicine can wait until morning. It’s not so bad right now.” She sighed, letting her gaze meet his in the darkness. “How about you? I didn’t know how much you’d said to everybody else, so I didn’t want to mention it earlier. Are you okay?”

“I’ll be fine.” Tilting his head forward, he let his forehead rest against hers. “I was praying you wouldn’t remember seeing that. I’m sorry, Jenny.”

“What for? It’s not like you invited her in or anything.”

“I was so worried over you I hadn’t been sleeping and I finally hit a wall. I didn’t even hear her come in.”

“It’s okay, Josh. I know how you get, remember?” He could hear the smile in her voice. “I’m just like you.”

“Yeah, I know.” A deep breath lifted his chest. “But when I realized that you’d probably seen us right before you passed out, I was terrified you’d think …”

“Honestly, at that point, I was so out of it, I really didn’t know what to think.” Her nose wrinkled as she tried to gather her thoughts. “I didn’t figure out what I’d seen until I was cleaning up this morning. I’ve never wished death on someone, but when it sank in, I literally wanted to kill her.”

“I-I was dreaming of you.” There was a pause as he cleared his throat. “Then Lonnie came slamming in, raising hell, and I almost jumped out of my skin. When I saw her standing above me, I nearly threw her across the room.” For a second, he was silent. “I don’t remember much of it now, but then, it was fresh. Thinking about that dream and knowing it was really her touching me instead of you … I felt so dirty, Boof. Part of me still does.”

“You shouldn’t. Don’t do that to yourself, Josh.” Her hand came to his face, her fingers gliding along his jaw as she leaned forward and kissed his cheek. “What she did to you was dirty. You aren’t.”

“I keep trying to tell myself that, but then I remember I was kissing her, and it just makes me sick.”

“Well, I don’t guess I can blame you for that. But …” She trailed off as her gaze moved over his face, picking out his features. Her fingers traced over his lips and she gave him a small smile. “Maybe I can help?”

His eyes met hers, then skipped down to her mouth before coming back up. “Maybe you can.” He returned her smile when he felt her leaning in, catching his lips with hers. A relieved sigh left him completely relaxed as he pressed closer to her, tilting his chin down to kiss her again, a bit deeper this time. His hands squeezed her, and she let out a whimper. Pulling away quickly, he loosened his hold on her. “Am I hurting you?”

“Not enough for it to matter.” Her fingers slid through his hair and she laughed softly, bringing him back to her. “Where were we?”

A while later, he finally took a deep breath, raising his head to press his lips to her forehead. “I’ve got an early start in the morning.” She felt him smile against her skin, then he rolled onto his back, pulling her until she could cuddle into him without putting pressure on her injuries. “And you’re supposed to be getting all the rest you can.”

“I know.” Yawning quietly, she settled against his chest, her fingers tangling in his shirt. “Still feeling dirty?”

“I feel like I’ve just taken a thousand showers.” His hand came to her chin, and he tilted her face up for one last kiss. “You’re magical, remember? Now, get some sleep. There’s a party you want to go to, right?”

“Mmhmm.” Her voice was already drowsy as she rapidly fell into slumber. “I was so scared, Josh.”

The words had faded immediately, and suddenly she was breathing deeply against him, as if a switch had been flipped. His arms tightened around her and he buried his face in her hair, feeling sleep coming quickly. “Me, too, Boof.”

*********************

“Hot damn.” Joey’s eyes went wide when Jen pulled the door open, and she couldn’t hold back her laugh at his expression. “Has Jace seen you yet?”

“No. We were still finishing up at the spa when the first car loaded up. I just had to run up here to grab my jewelry and wallet.” She glanced down at herself and did a quick turn for his inspection. “What do you think? Am I party worthy?”

Her black pants were long, loose and just a little sparkly – the perfect fit to avoid the leg wraps and the bruise still forming on her hip. The matching tank top was covered by a flowy, lightweight long-sleeved blouse the shop owner had put in last season’s rejects when it arrived with no buttons. The glittery colors were her favorites – a watercolor pattern of shimmery blues, purples and greens that was dark enough to cover the bandage on her arm – and they’d found the perfect silver belt to hold it together where it overlapped at her waist, cinching in the loose fabric to accent her curves. An hour with the spa staff doing her hair and covering up the redness on her cheek, a pair of comfortable dress shoes, her favorite silver jewelry and she was ready to go.

“Hell yes.” He held out his arm with a silly grin, offering to lead her to the elevator. “Definitely party worthy. And he’s definitely going to kill me for being the one to bring you.”

“How did that happen, anyway?” She linked her arm through his and arched a brow at him as they walked slowly down the hallway. “Lonnie just called and said there’d been an unfortunate change of plans.”

“Unfortunate for C, maybe. Not for me.” They reached the elevators, and he shook his head. “It was Johnny’s idea. He and Lonnie made sure the club staff was given the right list, but they weren’t positive we’d be able to get you in without Sara raising hell if she’s watching the door. Johnny said we should split the two of you into different cars and let you come in later with someone else. If her focus is really on getting Jace, then she won’t be paying as much attention to who’s coming and going once he’s there.”

“Good thinking.” Her head tilted as she watched him. “And how did you get to be the lucky one to babysit me?”

“Hot Stuff, if this is babysitting, sign me up for life.” His laugh was loud, drowning out the chime of the arriving elevator. “We argued about it for a while, but then we decided to play for it. J gave me a run for my money, but I’m officially the Rock, Paper, Scissors champion.”

“Seriously?” Jen followed him into the small car, amusement lifting her tone. “How do you cheat at Rock, Paper, Scissors?”

“Hey, now. I’m no cheater. I won fair and square.” He took a deep breath as they descended to the lobby. “God, Jenny. You even smell like something out of a dream.”

“I chose the floral aromatherapy in the steam bath today.” She laughed quietly. “I’m going to have to find a spa back home with that service and take Mom and Maggie for a girl’s day. That was the most relaxed I’ve been in a long time.”

“All I care about is that you’re ready to party.” They stepped out of the elevator and walked toward the group waiting in the lobby. “I know Jace is going to claim you as soon as he can, but do I still get at least a dance?”

“Of course, Joe Bear.” Her hand reached for his, giving it a squeeze. “I want to dance with all of you. As long as my hip cooperates, anyway.”

“Right. He wanted me to make sure you’d either taken your pain stuff or were bringing it with you.”

“I took it at dinner, so I should be good to go.”

“Good. I plan to collect on that dance, Gracie.” Chris came up on her other side as the limo pulled up to the hotel entrance. Taking her hand, he twirled her in a circle and let out a low whistle. “Wow. Planning on stopping hearts tonight?”

“I highly doubt that, Spazz.” She sent a grin in Diane’s direction, stepping in line to get into the car. “Diane and Lynn have great taste, though. All I did was find the shirt. They did the rest.”

“Well, I’d give money to be next to Jace when he first sees you. I’ve got a feeling he’s going to be having very unfriendly thoughts toward Joey here.” He climbed in behind Diane, reaching out for a high-five as he sat down. “Great job, Mama Bass. You both clean up real nice.”

Jen couldn’t hold back her laughter as Joey gave her a hand into the car, then slid onto the seat next to her. “Cool. I’ve never been in a limo before.”

“Nice, huh?” Joey had to scoot closer to her as Tiny took the last open space and closed the door behind him, the car immediately veering into traffic. “How’s your soreness tonight? C really might kill me if I have to hold you in my lap like he did last night.”

“I’m fine.” She elbowed him when he gave her a fake pout. “And I have a hard time believing that Josh would have an unfriendly thought toward any of you. Why would he?”

“You’re kidding, right?” Chris arched a brow at her. “Even before you showed up in Orlando for your first semester, he was warning us that you were strictly off limits.”

“Really?” Her brow furrowed. “Why would he do that?” Every eye in the car zeroed in on her. “What?”

“Because even back then, he knew you were it for him.” Leaning back in the seat, Chris shot a look at Diane. “Damn, Jenny.”

“But there wasn’t anything between us until right before you guys came overseas.” She shook her head. “And even then, it’s always been just a possibility. He keeps talking about waiting and asking me to be patient, but he’s never said anything about us being permanent. He made sure I knew that he didn’t expect anything from me, and I don’t expect anything from him.” Her teeth worked over her lip. “If I keep my hopes low, then I can’t be disappointed, remember? I always figured that we were caught up in saying goodbye, and I’m just waiting for him to find someone else, some girl who can be everything he needs. I’m really just enjoying being a friend with a few benefits until he finally moves on and I get sent to the background, if whoever she is lets me stay there.”

“My God. You’re serious, aren’t you?” Joey glanced over to Chris quickly, astonishment lighting his features as he looked back to her. “He’s not looking for anybody else, Hot Stuff. Even when you’re not with him, he’s so wrapped up in you, nothing else exists. You’re his … how did he say you put it? His Meant to Be. You’re his Meant to Be.”

“No. That’s not possible.” Her trembling fingers fisted on her knees. “He’s gone through eleven girlfriends since he turned thirteen, and I was there for every single one of them. Somewhere in one of my journals, there’s a list with each one’s name and her description. I’m nothing like the girls he’s chosen to be with. It’s like he’s got a set of boxes that have to be checked, and I … I don’t. I don’t check his boxes, Joey. I never have, and I don’t think I ever will.” She stared down at her hands. “If I did, why wouldn’t he just say so? Why would he put it off until I graduate? Or why would he make it wait until you guys can come back home?”

“It’s because he loves you, honey.” Diane leaned forward, reaching out to place her hand over Jen’s. “He loves you enough to do everything he can to not be a distraction while you’re building a life at home. You’re working toward your degree, creating an amazing career, doing all of these outstanding things, and he’s so proud of everything you’ve accomplished that he doesn’t want to take the chance of you turning away from any of it to be with him.” She glanced up as they came to a stop in front of the club. “I want you to pay very close attention to him when he first sees you. If you see his reaction to you and don’t feel a reaction to him, then maybe you need to really think about whether he’s the best thing in your world. I know that’s what he wants to be, but if he isn’t, then you should let him know now, before it’s too late.”

“Josh has always been the best thing in my world, and I always have a reaction to him. I’m pretty sure I’ve loved him since the sixth grade, even though I knew I was just one of the guys. Hell, we were eleven, he was trying to set me up with his friends so he could go out with the class princess and I still fell for him.” Jen tried to blink back sudden tears. “It wasn’t hard to figure out that a perky cheerleader type would get him, so I tried to stop it, but I just couldn’t. When he asked me to wait for him that day at the airport, I’d already been waiting for him for years, watching him turn to everybody else but me. We’ve got so much history between us …” One tear escaped, rolling down her cheek. “I can still remember a time when I had to get past being the worst thing for him. It’s so hard to let myself believe that maybe I could really be what he wants, because I know how amazing he is and I don’t want him to feel like he has to settle for me.”

“Shit. Come on, don’t start the waterworks, Gracie.” Chris’ eyes widened when she let out a sniffle. “If he thinks we’ve made you cry, he’ll never let us around you again.” He grabbed a tissue from the box under the seat and dabbed carefully at her skin, trying his best not to smudge the spa’s work. “I’d kind of miss seeing that magic smile of yours.”

“Yeah, but you’d miss the peanut butter cookies more, wouldn’t you?” She laughed at his sheepish shrug, then swallowed back the tears and took a deep breath to collect herself as Tiny pushed the limo door open. “Tonight isn’t about me, anyway. You guys just released an awesome album, and we’re here to party.” A smile lit her face as Joey reached in to help her out of the car, blinking when flashes started going off around them. “Wow. You guys really draw a crowd, don’t you?”

“Something like that, yeah.” He took her arm, leading her toward the club’s entrance.

“The worst thing for him?” Diane gave Chris an odd look as he offered her his hand, her brow furrowing. “What is she talking about?”

“No clue.” Shaking his head, Chris flashed a bright smile toward the photographers. “And I doubt we’ll figure it out tonight.”

Jen was relieved to see that Sara wasn’t hovering around the door, and smiled as she gave the bouncer-type man holding a clipboard her ID. Looking her over quickly, he widened his eyes slightly at her, then handed back her card. His gaze moved over her again, slowly this time, before he glanced over to Joey with an appreciative nod and motioned them on through. “Okay. That was … different.”

“What? The guy checking you out?” Joey laughed at her nod, draping an arm over her shoulders. “Hot Stuff, you’re so damn clueless, it’s adorable. Whenever you walk in a room, all eyes go straight to you.”

“But I don’t want all eyes on me. Just Josh’s.” She blushed quickly at her slip. “Yeah, that sounded pathetic.”

“Not pathetic. Honest.” He took her hand, spinning her into the room ahead of him. “Trust me, you don’t have to worry one bit about Jace. Here, pay attention.” Glancing around quickly, he found JC standing across the floor, holding a drink and talking to a girl in a green dress next to the bar. “He’s at the bar, making small talk with a green dress. Keep a watch on him, okay? We’re gonna give him a little show.”

“There’s nobody else dancing, Joey.”

“Then let’s get this party started.” An upbeat song began thumping over the speakers and he spun her again, grinning when she laughed and put a hand on his shoulder to keep from slamming into his chest. “Come on, Jenny. I know you’ve got some moves in there.”

“Okay, okay. Just remember to take it easy on me.” She grinned back at him, settling into the rhythm. “Do you remember the Kid ’n Play?”

“Seriously?” He arched a brow at her, then laughed and joined in with the familiar dance moves, following along when she started creating variations that had them going in circles and backward. People were staring at them, grins forming around the room at their antics, and when they began to trickle onto the dance floor, he made a point to turn them where she had a clear view of JC, who hadn’t noticed her yet. “Keep watching him, Hot Stuff.”

Peeking around Joey’s arm, she focused on where he was standing just as he caught sight of her for the first time, blue eyes widening in surprise, then darkening with what she hoped was longing. With perfect timing, Joey swung her out so the lights glittered off her outfit, then pulled her back to him. Resting for a second, she soaked in the expression on JC’s face as his gaze met hers – the spark of appreciation that lit his features, followed by a tender smile, his eyes softening with a look that made her heart stop. For a moment, they just stared at each other, until she shook herself out of it, giving him a little wave and a wink before smiling up at Joey, breaking away and into the Roger Rabbit as the song changed.

“Having fun?” He pulled her just a little closer to his side as he mimicked her, keeping her clear of the bystanders who’d formed a crowd around them.

“Yep. Maggie had to get Matt to help her out with a bunch of dances for one of her classes last semester, and she made me learn them with her. If they break out Thriller or anything from an eighties movie, I’ll kill it.” Breathing heavily, she tried to do the Running Man, but had to stop at the jolt to her side. “Okay, not that one. The Cabbage Patch?”

“Hang on a sec.” Twirling her around and back into his arms, he leaned down to speak softly into her ear. “Did you see it?”

“I-I think so.” Sighing quietly, she looked up at him. “Yeah, I did.”

“He’s all yours, Jenny. He has been for a long time.” He attempted some kind of hip shimmy that set her to laughing. “I think you really need to listen to Diane. I know you’re beyond ready to get things moving, but he’s only thinking of you when he asks you to be patient. It tears him up that he’s here and you’re there, you know? He can’t just drop everything and hop a flight anytime he wants. Neither can you.”

“Yeah, I know. Geographically, we don’t work right now.”

“Exactly. But hang in there, okay? With you here, he’s been the happiest I’ve seen him since we left Florida.” A smile tilted his lips as he hugged her tightly, shuffling her around to the beat until he could see the bar, his eyes meeting JC’s. “The feedback from the album has been great, and if it charts well, Johnny thinks we have a chance at getting the right kind of attention from the people we’re trying to impress. Stick with it, Hot Stuff. I have a feeling it won’t be too much longer and you’ll both be getting exactly what you want.”

“I hope you’re right, Joe Bear.” A wince marred her face as pain shot through her leg, and she had to stop moving. “This is the happiest I’ve been in a long time, too. I’ve just been waiting so much longer than he knows … and it hurts.”

“What hurts?” A dark brow arched, his hand motioning toward her hip until he saw JC nod and step away from the bar. “Your hip? Or the waiting?”

“Both.” Another sigh lifted her shoulders. “Definitely both.”

“Well, it looks like Jace is on his way to claim his girl, so at least your hip will get some rest before the others come to collect on their dances.” With a grin, he kissed the side of her head. “Just so you know, he was sporting a seriously dreamy look all morning. Did you have anything to do with that?”

“No comment.” Reaching up, she socked him on the shoulder, rolling her eyes and biting back a smile at the memory of the kisses JC had woken her with before leaving the hotel room. “And totally none of your business.”

 

Chapter Twenty by Renee

 

“I think I recognize you. You’re one of the reporters with Bravo magazine, aren’t you? Cheri?” JC forced himself to carry on a conversation with the blonde in the green dress, who seemed to be intent on keeping his attention. With a smile, Cheri kept talking, her voice blending with the music and he tried to nod in all the right places. He’d finally managed to shake Sara, Johnny waving her over as he arrived and pulling her toward a back hallway with Lonnie on their heels, hopefully keeping her distracted enough to miss Jen’s arrival.

He motioned to the bar tender, asking for a refill of his soda, remembering enough of his manners to ask his companion if she’d like a drink. Taking a sip as she gave her order, blue eyes darted toward the door once again as a group of people he didn’t recognize entered. With a sigh, he turned his attention down to the liquid bubbling in his glass, swirling it and giving Cheri a glance as she began talking again. He never noticed when her eyes narrowed on his distracted expression.

“I get the feeling that I’m bothering you.” She leaned against the bar. “Are you waiting on someone?”

“Sorry, but yeah.” An apologetic smile crossed his features as he looked toward the door again. “My girl got put into a different car and it doesn’t look like they’ve made it yet. I’m just a little worried that they’re late.”

“Well, they’re not late yet, but are you sure she’s not here?” Gesturing toward a corner behind him, she sipped her drink. “The rest of your group came in a few minutes ago.”

“Really?” He looked over his shoulder, finding Chris laughing with one of the hosts from their first TV appearance this morning. “Yeah, there’s Chris. She must be here somewhere.”

“What does she look like?” Climbing up on a stool, Cheri turned and sat so she could see the crowd that had started to fill the dance floor. “Maybe I can help you find her.”

“Tiny brunette, brown eyes, killer smile. Probably came in with Joey.”

“You don’t sound too happy about that.”

“I’m not.” He gave a quick laugh. “She’s taken her time to come out for a visit and even though I know she’ll be here, it’s really aggravating that I couldn’t actually bring her.”

“Why couldn’t you?”

“Staff issues.” A soft growl vibrated his throat. “Hopefully, it won’t be a problem much longer.”

“Ah, the blonde who was tailing you until your manager came in?”

“Yep.” Taking another drink, he shook his head. “She’s just on this side of crazy.”

“I hope it works out.” A smile lit her face as she nodded toward the dance floor. “And I think that might be your girl, dancing with your friend.”

He jerked his attention in the direction she was looking, catching a quick glimpse of sparkly fabric and wavy brown hair. Joey moved to the side for a moment just as one of the strobe lights flashed over them, letting JC get a better view of Jen’s smiling face and the way her outfit hugged her curves before blocking her from sight once again. He felt a kick in his gut, a squeeze in his chest and had to force himself to breathe as Joey spun her away from him, the lights setting off the sparkles in her clothing. “Yeah. That’s my Jenny.”

Suddenly, brown eyes met his around Joey’s arm, and he couldn’t keep a smile from forming. While he couldn’t really see her face, her happiness was obvious in her gaze. Their eyes locked for a moment, and his smile grew when her fingers raised in a wave, a wink coming his way before she looked back up at Joey, the music changing.

“Well, aren’t you gonna go get her?”

“In a minute. She looks like she’s having fun.” He glanced to her quickly, then focused back on Jen when he heard her laughter as she led Joey in the Roger Rabbit. “Thanks for finding her.”

“No problem. She’s a very lucky girl.” Cheri’s hand patted his shoulder before she slid off the stool, grinning at him as she reached for her drink. “That’s a great outfit she’s wearing. Maybe I can catch her for a few minutes to talk shopping.”

“I’m the lucky one. And I’m sure she’d be happy to talk with you.” He sent her a brief smile as she walked toward the side of the dance floor. “Have a great night, Cheri.” Leaning back, he propped his elbows on the bar and watched as Joey and Jen continued to dance, suddenly stopping the fun moves. It appeared that Joey hugged her tightly, then turned them around until he was facing JC.

He smiled at his friend, then focused when Joey’s brows arched, his finger pointing toward Jen’s hip. With a nod, he moved away from the bar and began making his way through the people on the dance floor. Just as he was close enough, he let his hand come to Jen’s back, smiling at her when she looked up at him. “There’s my girl. For a minute, I thought I’d lost you.”

“Nope. Not tonight.” She stepped away from Joey and against his side, her arm going around his waist. He noticed the pained expression in her eyes and leaned down to kiss the top of her head. “I think I’m ready for a little break, though.”

“There’s a few couches at the far end of the bar.” He held out a fist toward Joey, grinning at the quick bump he received. “Thanks for taking care of her, Joe. I appreciate it.”

“My pleasure. Now get her out of here before somebody tries to run her over.”

“All right, let’s go.” Matching her slow stride, he led her across the floor, carefully keeping her from putting too much weight on her leg. They made it to the couches, and he pulled her close to him as they settled on the cushions. “Are you okay? Do you need your pills?”

“I’ll be fine. I just need to sit for a while.” She took a deep breath, leaning her head against his shoulder as his arm wrapped around her. “I’m not supposed to take too much of the pain reliever, and since I took some at dinner, I left it in the room.”

“Do you want me to ask if they have anything at the bar?”

“No. It’s okay.” Tilting her head back, she kissed his jaw. “Mixing stuff usually messes with me. Thank you, though.”

“Just let me know if you change your mind.” His arm gave her a squeeze. “I was a little disappointed I didn’t get to bring you with me tonight.”

“Joey said you weren’t too happy about it.” A smile lifted her features when his fingers began playing with her hair. “I’m all yours now, though. And technically, you’re the one who’ll be taking me 'home'.”

“That’s true.” He tilted his head down, inhaling deeply. “You smell awesome. New perfume?”

“Floral aromatherapy steam bath. I’m pretty sure it just soaks into the skin and forces you to relax.” She laughed when his sigh tickled her neck. “I’ll have to see if the spa has a line of soaps and stuff for sale. I’m already a fan.”

“Yeah, I wouldn’t complain about that.” Glancing up, he saw a waiter walking by with a few glasses on a tray. “Thirsty?”

“Sure.” Accepting the glass of pinkish colored liquid, she looked over to JC. “What is it?”

“Umm …” He took a quick sip to taste. “A sweet wine. Kinda fruity.” His eyes met hers. “How long has it been since you ate?”

“I think it was around four. It’s been a while.”

“You should be fine, then. With the dosage they gave you, five hours is long enough for wine to not really bother you.” Taking another drink, he set his glass on the table beside the armrest. “I’d take it easy, though. Just in case.”

“I’ve never had wine.” She sniffed the drink first, then took a cautious taste, smiling at the bubbly, fruity flavor. “Mmm. That’s good.”

“It’s totally legal over here, but don’t tell your mom that I was corrupting her little girl with alcohol. We’ll have to break her into it after August.” They both laughed, his arm tightening around her. “Let me know if you feel like dancing again. I’ve been waiting all day to see what you can do when you aren’t in a kitchen.”

“Oh, I will. I don’t think I’ll be bouncing around like I was with Joey, but I was looking forward to it, too.”

“I’ll request a few slow songs if I have to. Low impact, and nobody will notice if I have to carry you.” His gaze moved over her clothes. “You look fantastic, Boof. Did you have fun shopping?”

“We found everything we needed in stores around the hotel, which was great. I wouldn’t have been up for running all over town.” Her head leaned back against his shoulder. “I don’t think Germans are used to my style of shopping. The store clerk looked at me as if I was crazy when I wanted to buy a shirt out of their reject pile.” She looked down at herself and laughed quietly. “But by the time Lynn and Diane were done, she was totally on board with why I loved it. I thought it was perfect.”

“It is. It’s totally you.” He lifted his arm, holding the dark purple of his shirt against her blouse. “We even match.”

“Yeah, I noticed. I wondered if you’d wear one of your shirts. It looks great on you.” Glancing at her sleeve, she let her fingers rub at the fabric. “This reminded me of how yours feels. It’s soft and dark enough to cover up my bandage. I think that’s what sold it for me.”

“I know we’re having to let your hip rest, but how’s your arm?”

“It’s okay. I think I’ll be able to go without wrapping it tomorrow.” She wrinkled her nose slightly. “The bruising is going to get worse before it gets better, but it really only hurts when I bump into things, so that’s good. As long as nobody tries to grab me, I’ll be fine.”

“Guess I’ll have to be careful, then.” Looking around quickly, he leaned in and kissed her lips softly. “I missed you today.”

“Really?” Her brow furrowed. “But I wasn’t with you yesterday, either.”

“It’s one thing to know you aren’t with me because you’re recovering and need the rest. It’s another for you to not be with me when you’re feeling better.” A sheepish grin lit his features as he laughed. “You know I’m not the hovering type, but I think I’m trying to fit as much of you in as I can while you’re here. Once you’re gone, we’re back to phone calls and emails until Johnny gives us the okay for a trip back home.” His thumb brushed over her jaw. “Call me clingy, but I’m figuring out that cuddling and kisses are definitely not an opportunity to miss.” Rolling his eyes, he shook his head with a groan. “That came out sounding a lot more girly than it did in my head.”

“Maybe a little girly, but accurate.” A smile played over her lips as her eyes searched his for a moment, flashing at what she found there. “I think I probably need to get as much of you in as I can, too.” Her hand came to his face as she stretched up, a little flutter winging through her chest when she felt his smile against hers before he responded to her kiss. He’d just leaned further into her, his fingers tightening on her waist, when someone cleared their throat loudly in front of them. Startled, they broke apart, both looking up to find a snickering Justin standing beside a smiling Lance. “Uh, hey, guys.”

“Hey, Shorty. Sorry to … ah, interrupt.” Covering his laughter with a fake cough, Justin arched his brow in amusement. “It’s just that there’s photographers and reporters in here and I’m pretty sure that if you guys become hotter news than the album, Johnny and Lou might have some negative things to say.”

“That, and Lonnie’s looking for you, Jace.” Lance nudged Justin in the ribs when he started laughing again, then pointed toward the other end of the bar. “He said that he and Johnny need to talk to you before they let Sara leave.”

“Right.” JC glanced over to Jen with a smile, then leaned in to kiss her forehead before getting to his feet. “This might take a few minutes.”

“Yeah, that’s why we thought now would be a good time to hang out with Jen.” The guys dropped down on either side of her, relaxing into the cushions. “I need some quality time with my big sis on our big night.”

“Sure thing, J. Whatever you say.” With a laugh, she nudged his knee, then looked up to JC. “I’ll be right here. I promise. And when you get back, maybe we could have that dance?”

“As you wish, Boof.” JC grinned as he turned to walk away, his head bobbing to the beat of the music.

“Well, he looks much happier than he did on the ride here.” Lance crossed his ankle over his knee. “At first, we were thinking it wasn’t going to be a very good night for him.”

“It was just for a little while, but I can’t really blame him.” She took another sip from the glass in her hand. “I wasn’t exactly thrilled with the way things turned out, either.”

“Was it really that big of a deal?” Justin turned to her with a shrug. “Like you said, it was just for a little while. He got you back pretty much as soon as he found you.”

“Yeah, it’s just …” Jen bit her lip as her brow furrowed. “We’ve never actually been on a real date, you know?”

“I’d call your prom a date, Jen.” His brows arched when he saw her shaking her head. “No? Why not?”

“Mom got him to come home because I’d just gotten dumped and she couldn’t take it if I didn’t go. If my mother has to arrange my dates for me, then I’m more pathetic than I thought.” Letting out a sigh, she laughed softly. “Anyway, I was hoping this could be our first, but it didn’t work out … not that he actually asked me to come with him tonight. I’m kind of the understood extra, since I’m along for the ride. And I’m pretty sure you guys have something going on for the rest of my trip, so we’re not likely to get any of your free time to go somewhere by ourselves.” She nudged both boys with her elbows. “Not that I don’t love hanging out with all of you, but …”

“But you need a little private time with C. We get it.” Lance sighed, giving her a look of regret. “To be honest, we don’t get a lot of time to ourselves, Girlie. With us having to arrange security and everything, they really need us to do things in groups so it’s easier to coordinate. It keeps everybody safe.” His hand patted her knee. “As much as I hate to say it, you may have to try to fit it in sometime when he’s at home, where things aren’t so crazy.”

“And that’s okay. I’ve waited this long, another six months isn’t going to kill me.” Shifting slightly, she smiled when there wasn’t a catch in her hip. “Josh is going to break me in with a slow dance when he gets back, but I’d like to dance with all of you at some point tonight.”

“Sounds like a plan.” A grin brightened Justin’s face. “I saw you and Joey getting the party started earlier. Nice moves, Shorty.”

“Yeah, I’m not sure I’ll be up for all that again, but we’ll think of something.”

“How’s your hip feeling right now, Jen?” There was an alertness to Lance’s tone, bringing her attention to him. “Are you okay to move a little?”

“Yeah, I’m fine.” Her brow furrowed. “Why?”

“Because Sara’s coming, and she doesn’t look like she’s just stopping by to wish you well.”

“Really?” She tried to follow his line of sight but couldn’t see anything until she stood up. “Well, I guess she really doesn’t listen.” Glancing to either side as they got to their feet beside her, she took a deep breath. “One of you needs to go find Tiny or Kenny or somebody. And hurry. The other needs to stay with me.”

“Be right back.” Lance took off, making quick work of the path around the dance floor, heading directly for a large figure leaning against the wall.

“What do you want me to do?” Justin’s brows rose as they watched Sara shove through a group of people in front of the bar. “She’s out for blood.”

“Well, I can draw a little myself, if I have to.” Jen looked up at him with a small smile, sipping her drink again. “Stay close, but don’t jump in, okay? You don’t need to be involved as anything other than a witness.”

“Are you sure?” His eyes were wide as he continued to watch the blonde approach. “I don’t think …”

“You bitch!” Sara’s voice carried loudly over the music, causing groups of people to turn and stare at them. “You got me fired!”

“How would I do that?” Jen spoke calmly as Sara came to a halt in front of her, breathing heavily. “I’m just a guest here, remember? I have absolutely no say in who stays and who goes.”

“Johnny just sent me packing for poor job performance.” Blue eyes flashed in hatred. “Who else would’ve bad-mouthed me?”

“I haven’t even seen Johnny, so I definitely haven’t spoken to him. Even if I had, why would my opinion matter?” Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Lance and Tiny approaching quickly. “Although, it seems to me that you didn’t need my help to lose your job. All things considered, you were kind of crappy at it.”

“B-but … you …” Sara sputtered for a moment, her face turning red, until Justin cleared his throat and her attention jumped to him. “What? Do you expect the kid to jump in for you? Fat chance of that.”

“Nope. I don’t need his help.” Jen took another drink of her wine. “He’s just a witness, like all these other people who are staring at us.” Over Sara’s shoulder, she noticed Chris and Joey coming through the crowd, Kenny right behind them. “I’ve already warned you to stay away from me. Come at me and you’ll only embarrass yourself.”

“Not likely, you little …”

“Jen!” JC’s panicked voice carried to them, coming from somewhere further down the bar. “Jenny!”

“It’s nice how he says my name, isn’t it?” Jen spoke quietly, shifting subtly into a fighting stance as Sara’s eyes widened, her fists clenching. “And you just hate it that he’s mine, don’t you?”

Sara seethed for just a second, steel in her eyes, before she let out a strangled shriek and came forward quickly, slapping Jen across her scraped cheek. Without missing a beat, she gripped Jen around both arms, fingers tightening mercilessly over her bruised flesh. “He’s supposed to be with me!” With another scream, she began shaking her victim violently.

Jen cried out as lightning streaked between her shoulder and wrist, instinctively tossing what was left of her drink in Sara’s face and dropping the glass before lifting her arms in a powerful outward movement, breaking the painful hold. Once free, she immediately squared up and began landing a series of fisted jabs to the torso, driving the blonde back and away. Stepping between Sara’s flailing arms, Jen socked her in the mouth hard enough to split her lip, then lifted her left hand in a soft claw-like grip to the neck and swept one foot around to catch behind the leg closest to her, knocking her opponent off balance. Bringing her arm back, she landed a solid, hard jab to Sara’s face before letting her drop to the floor, out cold.

For a moment, the crowd was dead silent, the crunching of the broken glass under Jen’s shoes blending into the music that was still bouncing off the walls. A burning fire was traveling over her left arm, and she cradled it to her chest, glancing down quickly to make sure there weren’t any rips in her clothes before turning angry eyes toward the lifeless form at her feet. “I’ll do you a favor, you crazy bitch. You can keep your hair.” Giving Sara’s foot a soft kick, she moved closer to Justin as the club staff broke through the crowd.

Damn, Jen.” Justin gave her a wide-eyed look, draping his arm over her shoulders. “She didn’t stand a chance. Can you teach me how to do that?”

“Stupid harpy wouldn’t back off.” Taking deep breaths, she tried to force a smile. “I’m only a blue belt, so I can’t teach you, but I can recommend a great dojang.”

“A do-what?”

“Dojang. Taekwondo. They’ll get you started with some of it. The rest was just plain street fighting. Shan hung a bag in the basement and taught me a few moves. I can put a bug in his ear, if you want.” She looked over as Tiny came up beside her, dark eyes studying her carefully. “Sorry, big guy. I put her off as long as I could.”

“I saw. And you shouldn’t be apologizing to anyone. You have every right to defend yourself.” He glanced up, fighting back a laugh at the bouncer staring down at Sara, mumbling under his breath about the hot midget trying to take his job. “Feel better?”

“My arm hurts like hell, but … yeah, I do.” There was a commotion as JC finally pushed through the people surrounding them, Johnny and Lonnie on his heels. The older men came to a halt, admiring her handiwork with wide eyes as he moved directly to her, ignoring the large man picking Sara up off the floor. His hands came to her face, and she fought back a wince of pain as she gave him a shaky smile, seeing the fear in his eyes. “I’m okay, Josh. I’m fine.”

“We lost her and then I heard screaming. I swear, I nearly had a heart attack, Boof.” Pulling her away from Justin, he wrapped his arms around her, tucking her against his chest and tilting his chin down until he could kiss the top of her head. “You’re sure you’re all right?”

“Well, she was a little faster than I figured. She landed a good one to my face and grabbed me before I could react.”

“Dude, you should’ve seen her.” Justin laughed as the bouncer carried Sara away. “Your girl went all Chuck Norris and knocked her flat out. It was epic.”

“Hell, Gracie.” Chris came up next to them as the crowd went back to the party, shaking his head. “You took her down too fast. We didn’t even get to place our bets. I’d have made a killing.”

“Sorry, Spazz.” Taking a deep breath, she carefully moved her jaw, trying to assess the damage before leaning back to look up at JC. “I’m still a little tingly. She didn’t reopen that scrape, did she?”

“No, there’s no blood. You’re gonna have a mean bruise, though.” His fingers moved gently over her reddened face, and she could immediately tell the difference between his cool fingertips and her heated cheek. “How’s your arm?”

“I’m afraid to look. She had a wicked grip.” Stepping away from him, she pushed up her right sleeve, revealing where the skin was already showing red welts in the shape of Sara’s hand. “God, if that’s the good arm, it’s no wonder my left is on fire right now.”

“Hey, Johnny?” JC’s tone was surprisingly sharp as he worked at lifting her other sleeve to see how the dark purple bruising was now streaked with nearly black, finger-shaped welts. “If they ask, press charges.”

“Josh, no.” She pulled her arm from him, pushing her sleeve down before raising her hands to his face. “I really don’t care what happens to her, as long as she’s away from us. Just let it be done.” Her eyes met his, pleading for him to understand. “Please?”

“Jen …” He let out an exasperated sigh and hugged her to him, sending a glance toward Johnny. “Okay, fine. Let her go.” Bringing his mouth close to her ear, he lowered his voice. “Whoever taught you to make that face needs to be shot. Just saying.”

“But it’s so handy when I want something.” Laughing quietly, she went on her toes and kissed him quickly. “And right now, I want you to calm down.” A grin lit her features when it became obvious that he was fighting back a smile. “How about that dance you promised me? A slow one?”

“Sure.” Pulling her to his side, he led her toward the DJ’s booth. “One slow dance, coming right up.”

*********************

It was nearing two when they finally made it back to the hotel, all the guys silently cursing the long day they’d had and dreading the early morning to come. JC and Jen were both fighting back yawns as they rode up in the quiet elevator, leaning against each other until they heard the chime before the doors slid open on their floor. They moved slowly down the hall toward their room, not even noticing Lonnie trailing behind them until he walked past and slid his keycard to open his own door. “’Night, guys. Get some rest.”

“’Night, Lon. See you in a few hours.” JC pushed their door open and held it for Jen to pass through behind him. He grinned as she shuffled toward what had become their bed, about to drop onto the mattress. “Hold on, Boof. Can you give me a few more minutes?”

“Sure.” She blinked at him, her brow furrowing in confusion. “What’s up?”

“Close your eyes.” He stepped close to her, smiling as he reached down for her hands. She gave him a questioning look, and he laughed softly. “Just trust me. Please?”

“Okay.” At his request, she nodded, immediately letting her eyelids drop closed. He began pulling her around the foot of the bed and across the room, keeping their pace slow. “Where are we going?”

“Not far. Stop right here for a second.” His hands released hers, and she heard a rustling of fabric, then metal sliding against metal. “A little further. Watch your step.” Another two steps, and she felt cement beneath her feet, a fresh breeze blowing against her face. “I think this is good.”

“Good for what?” She fought a smile when he stepped away, only to move around behind her and pull her back against him, one of his hands pressing against her stomach. “The breeze is nice.”

“It is, isn’t it?” Leaning down, he let his chin rest on the side of her head. “Okay, Jenny … take a look.”

She obeyed, the breath catching in her chest at the view of the city skyline in lights from their balcony. “Oh, wow.”

“I know you haven’t really gotten to see much of it yet, but this is Berlin.” He turned his head, his lips moving against her hair. “This has to be one of my favorite cities.”

“It’s beautiful, Josh.”

“Your bridge is back the other direction, but just over there is your cathedral.” His hand pointed across the river, indicating a domed building lit up in blue. “After the photo shoots are done, we’ll pick you up for dinner and then we’ve got reservations for an evening tour.”

“Really?” Her smile was wide as she tilted her head back to look at him. “Can we go to the roof and everything?”

“As you wish.” Laughter shook his chest. “After that, you’re going to try some gelato.”

“Gelato?” One brow arched. “Isn’t that ice cream?”

“Something like it, yeah. It’s more like a creamy Italian Ice.”

“Sounds delicious.” She hummed, leaning into him as she took in the shimmering water of the river. “The river’s gorgeous at night. I’ll have to pay closer attention in the daylight. I’ll bet it sparkles.”

“Uh huh.” His arms tightened on her, wrapping around her midsection. “This is how I was hoping your entire trip would be. We got off to a good start, but it kind of derailed for a few days, huh?”

“Yeah.” Turning around, she hugged his waist, resting her cheek against his chest. “You’re doing a great job of catching up, though.” A sigh lifted her shoulders. “Lonnie said things would be insane getting you guys where you’re supposed to be in the morning, but he’d send Kenny back to get me around ten if I wanted to hang out with you for the day.” Her eyes came up to meet his. “Is that okay?”

“It’s more than okay. I’d love that.” He kissed her forehead, smiling against her skin. “That should give you enough time for a good breakfast, so your pills can kick in. You’re gonna be really feeling it tomorrow, Boof, so bring them with you. We’ll have to make sure there’s somewhere comfortable for you to watch the show. Photo shoots can be fun, depending on what they have us do.”

“It’ll be a good day.” Going up on her toes, she wrapped her arms around his neck, pressing her lips to his briefly. “Let’s come back out here every night until we leave.” Her gaze went back to the skyline. “I never want to forget this view.”

“We will.” His eyes never left her face, memorizing every detail as she admired the city. “I never want to forget it, either.”

*********************

Jen glanced up from where her journal was laying open on the arm of the couch, pausing in her writing to grin as the guys goofed off for the photographer, who apparently didn’t care what poses they were in. A good thing, because it was nearing lunch time, and they were about ready for a break. Her stomach rumbled in a growl and she let out a sigh, wondering briefly how much longer it would be before her appetite caught up to itself. She stretched, then groaned at the ache that went through her arms and shoulders, relaxing back into the corner of the cushions.

“You okay, Tink?” Kenny leaned over her, crossing his arms on the back of the couch. “You’ve been awfully quiet this morning.”

“I’m fine.” She sent him a smile, letting her pen tap on the pages of her journal. “Even when I’m on vacation, there’s work to do, so I’m just jotting down a few things. Believe it or not, this is how the songwriting process goes. For me, anyway.”

“Yeah, Jace had to let us in on a few things when you first got here. It’s one thing for us to arrange a pattern around the guys and their friends, but when the guest turns out to be a Grammy winner, it kind of adds a new element. Lonnie was surprised you didn’t have your own guard with you.”

“A bodyguard? Me?” Jen let out a laugh, shaking her head. “Why? I’ve limited my appearances to awards stuff while I’m in school, so most people don’t even look twice at me.”

“That won’t last long, though. You’re not exactly small peanuts, kid.” The guard moved closer, lowering his voice. “Between you and me, Unbreak My Heart was my jam when it came out. Great stuff there.”

“Thanks, big guy.” Her hand patted the cushions, and he came around to sit next to her. “You want to know a secret?”

“Sure.”

“That song got written because of a drunk girl sobbing into a pay phone outside of a bar.”

“You’re kidding.” His eyes widened and he began to laugh. “How?”

“Maggie – my housemate – and I had just finished dinner with a few friends and were heading back to the car. We had to pass this girl, clinging to the pay phone stand, crying for everything she was worth.” Jen felt a grin forming at the memory. “I was just about to ask if she needed help when she stood up straight and screamed "Just unbreak my heart, you ass", then slammed the phone into the cradle and went back inside.” She laughed, letting her journal flip closed. “And a song was born.”

“That’s insane.”

“You want insane? Check this out.” Reaching down into her bag, she pulled out another journal and began flipping through it. Finally, she retrieved a photo from between the pages and passed it to him. “I’ve got a larger framed version of this hanging at home, just to prove to myself that it wasn’t a dream.” She smiled as his brows rose in surprise. “That was taken at the Grammys. One of the reporters figured out the connection between me and all these artists and insisted on getting a shot of us all together. She said it was the only time Eric Clapton, Celine Dion, Jewel, Gloria Estefan, Babyface and Toni Braxton had ever been in the same photo.”

“My God.” He stared at the print, then glanced back up at her. “You’ve worked with all these people?”

“Well, not really. I’ve arranged a few things for the guys and worked out pieces for the ensembles on campus, but I’m not to the point of actually working with artists yet. These are all the folks who were nominated for awards who’ve recorded my stuff.” Turning on the cushions to face him, she picked up a pillow from the floor and hugged it to her chest. “And then there’s little me, just hanging out in the middle of all that greatness, holding a trophy and trying to fit in by wearing a sparkly dress. It blows my mind.”

“Well, it looks like you’re doing a little better than just fitting in.” His thumb ran over the print before he handed it back to her. “My sister is a huge Celine fan. Which song is yours?”

Call the Man was on the last American release.” She slid the photo back in the journal and dropped the book into her bag. “There was another song she recorded for Japan in ’95 that she’s reworking for release this year. To Love You More.”

“I’ve heard Call the Man. I thought it was too good to be that deep into the track listing.” He tilted his head as he looked at her. “When Jace told us you’d written One Sweet Day, I couldn’t believe it. I remember hearing that song for the first time and thinking that whoever was the mind behind the lyrics had been touched by God.” With a smile, he chucked her chin with his knuckles. “And I was right. You’re blessed with a gift, kid. You’ve got a way with words that makes people feel things.” They both looked up when there was a commotion from in front of the camera as the group broke apart, JC heading their direction. “Looks like they’re finished with this shoot. If the next session has a big set up, we’ll be breaking for lunch. If they’re just a quick in-and-out, we’ll wait until it’s done, okay?”

“Okay.” Pushing the pillow aside, she rolled onto her knees to give him a hug. “Thanks for picking me up, Kenny. I know it wasn’t exactly convenient.”

“Anything for you, Tink.” Returning her embrace with a gentle squeeze, he patted her back. “I made sure to add some extra strength Tylenol to the kit in the van this morning. Let me know if you’d rather have it than your prescription stuff. I know those things can leave you a little loopy.”

“Awesome. I might just do that.”

“Hey, now. What’s up with this?” JC laughed as he approached, giving Kenny a playful glare. “You stealing my hugs, K-dog?”

“Seems to me there’s plenty to go around.” The big man snorted as he released Jen and stood up. “Is the next team here, or are we waiting?”

“I’m not sure. The old crew is still packing up, but we got finished a little early with this one.” Glancing down at his watch, he yawned. “The next shoot isn’t scheduled for another twenty minutes, and you know those guys are hardly ever early. That’s not enough time for lunch, so I’m gonna kick back while we wait.”

“Sure thing.” Winking at Jen, Kenny bit back a smile before heading over to the rest of the security team to talk shop.

“How’re you holding up, Boof?” Leaning down, JC brushed a kiss over her forehead. “Feeling stiff yet?”

“Always. I might have to check ahead to see if any of our other hotels have a spa like this one. There was a line of products for sale, by the way. I stocked up.” She laughed quietly, sitting back on the cushions and laying the pillow on her lap. Looking up at him with a smile, she patted her hand on the soft fabric. “Stretch out and relax. We’ve got some stuff to talk about.”

“You don’t have to tell me twice.” He obeyed, laying his head on her pillow with a sigh. A smile lifted his lips, his eyes dropping closed as her fingers began scratching through his hair. “Hmm. That’s nice. You said we needed to talk?”

“Yeah. Johnny had breakfast with me this morning and filled me in on a few things.”

“Is that good or bad?”

“I’m thinking good.” Excitement lifted her tone. “A film studio over here has approached him with an offer for you guys to record Here and Now for a movie releasing sometime in the next year.”

“Well, that’s cool.”

“Uh-huh. Thing is, they want my original orchestration for the backing track, and Johnny wants me to lay down the piano part and help out with the arrangement of the other musicians. When we get back to Stockholm, we’re all going into the studio to get it done.”

“You get to record with us?” His eyes popped open, brightened by his grin. “Really?”

“Looks like it.”

Sweet. Normally, they do the tracking before we go in, but this time, we’ll get to see you doing your thing.” He brought her free hand to his lips, pressing a kiss across her knuckles. “That’s gonna be fun.” Blinking up at her, he yawned. “What else is up?”

“Well, it turns out that the issues we were having with Sara weren’t her only problems.”

“No?”

“Nope. One of the reasons Johnny had to let her go was because he was contacted by the NYPD, following up on the alias she was using to apply for the job. I think he said the age on her application had been off by about six years, or something, because she’d been on parole for her involvement in some gang-related activity and leaving New York to work with you guys put her in violation.” Clearing her throat, she continued making circles with her fingertips over his scalp. “They’d been trying to track her down since last August. Once she lands back in the U.S., she’ll be going to prison for a long time.”

“That’s … well, I’d say that’s cool, but it kinda sucks for her.” His brow furrowed as he thought about it. “How did they know to look here for her?”

“Johnny wasn’t sure, but the officer he spoke to said he was calling from Brooklyn.”

They looked at each other, then spoke in unison. “Joey.”

“Yeah, I’d say a Fatone was involved with that.” She glanced across the room, smiling when she saw Chris and Joey arm-wrestling, Justin and Lance cheering them on. “We’ll have to thank him later.”

“Big Joe still has friends back in his old neighborhood. He probably didn’t take too kindly to someone messing with one of his girls.” JC laughed quietly, letting his eyes drop closed again. “You might want to fix him a nice meal when you get home as a thank you.”

“I’m already planning it. He loves my fettuccini alfredo, so I’ll make a big pot and invite them over soon.” Biting her lip, she let her gaze travel over his face. “About me going home … I was thinking about calling my travel agent to see about changing my flight from the 9th to the 13th. Would there be any issues with that?”

“You want to stay longer?” Blue eyes flashed open, zeroing in on hers. “Can you stay longer? What about your summer class?”

“It’s a self-study course. I’d already turned in a third of the work before I came over, and I had all that time waiting on planes and trains to finish it out.” Her fingers paused in their scratching. “All I have to do is turn it in and schedule my exam before the end of July and I’m good. I talked to Mac yesterday when I called Mom – they were having brunch – and he said as long as I’m keeping up with my journals, there’s nothing pressing that I need to be there for right now.”

“Your mom and Mac, huh?” A dark brow arched at her. “How do you feel about that?”

“I’m thrilled about it. It’s been such a long time since Dad, and I really want her to be happy. Mac’s wife died of cancer when they were in their early forties, so he knows what it’s like to lose someone.” A small smile lifted her features. “He’s a wonderful man, and he’ll be good to her. I could tell they were getting close once she took over some of the business stuff for me, so when he asked me about it, I just hugged him and said I couldn’t think of anyone better for her.”

“Good. I can tell he cares about you, too, so he’ll treat you both well.” His hand squeezed hers. “You might not be a kid anymore, but don’t forget that you’re a part of that package, Jen.” Releasing her fingers, he smiled. “I’m looking forward to meeting him.”

“He was fishing for information about you before I left. I get the feeling he’s trying to test the waters. And Tessa and Shan are curious about you, too.” She licked her lips nervously. “Anyway, I know I’m still here for a few weeks, but do you think you could put up with me even longer? I’ll leave it the same if you’d rather I …”

“Change your flight. Please.” Raising up, he pulled her down to him, kissing her softly. “It’s selfish, but I’ll take as many days as you can give me, Boof.”

“Okay. It’s still early, so I’ll call Sue this afternoon and see if she can work her magic.” Her fingertips began scratching again, and he sighed, closing his eyes and relaxing back onto the pillow, his breathing growing deep. She tilted her head, studying the short hairs passing over her fingers. “Josh? Are you letting your hair grow out?”

“Mmhmm.”

“I thought you liked it shorter.”

“But you like it better longer.” He turned onto his side, his hand sliding under the pillow to rest on her thigh. “I could tell you were a little upset when they cut it, so I’m gonna let it grow as much as they’ll let me.”

“Oh.” She felt a catch in her chest at his words, then smiled as she studied his sleeping form. Flipping her journal back open on the armrest, she found a clean page and began to scribble away.

When I look into your eyes, I know that it’s true
God must have spent a little more time on you

 

 

Chapter Twenty One by Renee

 

July 9, 1997

Jen was trying to unlock the door of the Tracker with her hands full of grocery bags when her cell phone rang. “Damn.” Fumbling with her keys and the bags, she managed to grasp the phone and flip it open, dropping her wallet under the car in the process. “Damn it! Sorry, hang on a sec. Be right with you.” Letting the open phone fall into one of the bags, she unlocked and opened the door, put the bags in and went to her knees to retrieve the wallet. Fishing through her purchases, she found the phone again and put it to her ear as she slammed the door closed. “Sorry about that. Hello?”

“Having troubles, Jenny?” Mac’s voice was trembling with laughter as he greeted her. “What are you doing?”

“Getting groceries and trying to lose my wallet.” She laughed with him as she climbed into the driver’s seat. “Mom’s got me making a lasagna for dinner, so I’m hoping you’re free to help us eat it.”

“I’d love to, but there’s been a change of plans.” The squeak of his office chair carried over the line. “I just got off the phone with a studio in New York, and there’s a bit of a spat between the artist and the producers recording At the Beginning. They want you there with copies of the original arrangement and backing track first thing tomorrow. Tessa’s on the phone now getting you on a flight this evening.”

“Seriously?” Her eyes widened. “What’s the problem?”

“They didn’t say, just that they needed you to smooth out some issues.” His tone lightened again, and she could imagine his smile. “You’ve made it, kid. You’re in demand.”

“Awesome. Should I be excited, or is terror the appropriate reaction to that?”

“Either way, you’ve got to go.” Papers shuffled as he flipped through them. “The studio will have a car waiting for you at the airport. We’ve got you booked at a hotel across the street, so all you’ll have to do is walk over in the morning. You’d better get home and start packing.”

“How long will I be there?”

“I have no idea. We’ve reserved the room for four nights, just in case, but it really shouldn’t take that long. Just let us know when you’re ready, and we’ll get you a flight home.”

“Okay.” She started the engine and backed out of the parking spot. “I’ll need to check my files for the original masters. If they aren’t at home, I’ll have to call Brian.” Her brain worked overtime, sorting thoughts. “Who am I working with?”

“The studio didn’t say. Guess it’s a surprise.” There was a muffled voice on his side of the conversation. “Tessa just got you set. Your flight leaves at five, and you’ll be in New York by ten. Lisa should already be home, so she’ll take you to the airport.”

“Three hours. Great.”

“You could sound a little happier about it, you know.” Mac laughed. “This is supposed to be the fun part. Didn’t you have a good time working with the guys in Sweden?”

“Yeah, but I knew them. They went out of their way to make it fun.” She sighed. “This could just be a whiny singer who isn’t getting their way over some little thing.”

“True. But suck it up, buttercup. You’ve got work to do, so get your butt in gear and take care of business.”

“Yes, sir. I’ll talk to you later.” With a growl, she flipped the phone closed and dropped it in the passenger seat. “Well, at least it’s New York and not California.”

*********************

At a quarter to nine the next morning, she was walking through the doors of the building housing the studio. Looking around, she located the receptionists’ desk and approached quickly, a smile on her face. “Hi. My name is Jen Lawson. A Mr. Tom Kendrick is expecting me, but he didn’t exactly tell me where he needed me. Can you point me in the right direction?”

“Sure thing, sweetie.” The red-haired woman behind the desk snapped her gum, checking a list before pointing to the elevators. “Go to the fourth floor and follow the signs for Studio 6-C. As upset as those fellas have been, ya can’t miss it.”

“Loud, are they?” Jen adjusted the strap of her bag over her shoulder. “Have they dragged out any bodies yet?”

“Not yet, but it may happen by the day’s end.” The gum snapped again before a delighted laugh escaped. “Good luck with that. Pick up the phone on the wall and dial zero if ya need anything.”

“Will do.” Taking a quick look at the nameplate on the desk, she smiled. “Thanks, Debbie. Have a great day.”

“You, too, hon.” Debbie’s green eyes swept over her from head to toe. “You’re a tiny thing, aren’t ya? Don’t let those men run all over ya, hear?”

“I won’t.” With a grin, Jen turned toward the elevators. “I may be little, but I’ve taken down a few giants.”

The elevator ride seemed to last forever, and as soon as she stepped into the hallway, there was a sign directing her where to go. After two left turns, she figured out what Debbie meant. Two male voices were yelling somewhere down the hallway, throwing around curses that would’ve made her mother’s hair turn white. Pausing outside the door, she took a deep breath to steady herself. “Okay, guys. Time to clean up your mess.” Nodding, she raised her hand and knocked firmly.

“Who the hell is it?”

Taking that as permission to enter, she pushed the door open and stepped inside, one brow arched. “I don’t know. Who the hell are you expecting?” Her reply made both men pause, staring at her as she let the door slam behind her. “Hello? Surely you have something to say. I could hear the two of you clear down the hallway.”

“Uh …” The older, dark haired man stuttered at her. “Do you have the wrong studio?”

“From the sound of it, I don’t think so.” She crossed her arms, looking them both over with irritation. “You’re the guys who made me fly all the way from Orlando just to straighten out whatever you’ve screwed up. Let’s get to it.” With a sigh, she studied the two of them again. “They told me to ask for Tom. Are either of you Tom?”

“No. Tom’s the guy who arranged the studio time.” The younger blonde pointed to himself. “Dan. This loser is Ed.”

“Okay, Dan and Ed. Can we keep the language rated PG, please? And the volume level down at about half?” Moving toward the couch against the wall, she let her bag drop. “Whatever it is that has everybody all torn up can’t be all that bad. And even if it is, the whole building doesn’t need to hear about it.” Turning back to them, she began tapping her foot. “Which of you is the artist?”

“Neither of us.” Ed’s eyes were wide as he watched her. “He’s in there.” A thick thumb jabbed over his shoulder to the booth. “So … who are you?”

“Jen Lawson. You seem to be having trouble getting my song recorded.” With a grunt, she shook her head. “I’ve got no clue why. It’s probably one of the simplest things I’ve ever written.” There was laughter from inside the booth, grabbing her attention to a figure sitting at a piano. “What’s the problem? Can’t we lay vocals over a track, boys?”

“Not that easy.” Dan reached behind him, clicking a button that turned off a light at the top of the board. “Mr. Perfect in there seems to have an opinion about everything and can’t get one line down before he starts complaining.”

“Well, what’s he complaining about?”

“What isn’t he complaining about?” Ed snorted. “The jerk is fighting us on every little thing.”

“Okay, then I’ll talk to him.” Jen stepped toward the booth. “Have the track cued for a listen. We’ll have this worked out in no time.”

Right. You go on in there, Princess. Slay that dragon.”

“Excuse me?” Pausing with the door open, she turned back toward them, cutting Dan with her glare. “I got you two to shut up, didn’t I?” Moving into the booth, she let the door close behind her with a sigh. “Morons.”

“I agree.” The man sitting at the piano tinkered with the keys for a moment, picking out the lead melody of the song. “Thank you for finally getting them to be quiet. I’ve heard nothing but yammering since yesterday morning.”

“I’m sorry about that.” Shaking her head, she climbed onto the stool in the corner of the room. “What seems to be the trouble? Why can’t we all get along on this?”

“I’ve never refused to record vocals over a track, but once you hear that playback, you’re going to understand exactly why I’m digging in my heels.” Turning on the piano bench, he held out his hand with a smile. “Richard Marx. Nice to meet you.”

“R-Richard Marx?” She froze in shock, only able to stare at him for a number of seconds. His laughter brought her back to reality, a heated blush spreading over her cheeks. “Sorry. I’m kind of new to this, so meeting people I’ve only been able to hear on the radio before now is something I’m trying to get used to.” With a grin, she reached out to shake his hand. “It’s awesome to meet you, Mr. Marx. I’m a huge fan.”

“Drop the Mr. Marx stuff. I’m just Rich.”

“Okay, Rich.” Laughing quietly, she bounced on the stool a little bit. “To be honest, I was totally dreading this. But now … wow, I can’t believe you’re recording my song. This is going to be fun.”

“If we can get past the backing track, yeah.” He glared toward the guys at the board. “You haven’t heard what they’ve done to it yet.”

“That’s right. I haven’t.” Turning to the window, she waved at Dan and Ed. There was a click from overhead, and she knew they could hear her. “Let’s play back the track. I need to hear what we’re working with.”

“Sure thing, Princess.”

“If you call me that again, you won’t be walking straight for a week.” Her tone was cool as she stared at Dan. “Catch my drift?”

“Yep. I gotcha.” He looked down immediately, pressing buttons on the board. “Here we go.”

“Come on down here.” Richard slid over on the piano bench, giving her space to sit. “I’d hate for you to knock that pretty head when you hear this.”

“Is it really that bad?” Before he could answer, music began filling the room. If you could call it music. She blinked in astonishment, taking in about a minute and a half of electric guitars, drums and techno drivel before waving a hand toward the window. For a moment, there was just silence as she stared at the ground, trying to come up with something to say. “Okay. Who’s responsible for that?”

“We are. This is the direction the producers of the movie told us they wanted to go.” Ed nodded proudly. “Rock-ish. Mainstream. Pop.”

“But have they actually heard it?”

“No. Not yet.” Dan sighed. “We can’t exactly send them anything until we have vocals to go over it.”

“And there’s our problem.” She stood, motioning for her seatmate to follow her. “I think we need to have a chat, guys.” Once they were gathered in the outer room, Jen took a seat on the edge of the couch. “Has anyone here heard the original arrangement of this track?”

“I haven’t had the pleasure.” Richard bit back a smile as he watched her. “All I had to do was look at the lead sheet and I knew I wanted to, though.”

“Thank you for that.” Her gaze landed on the producers. “I take it neither of you have heard it, either?” They shook their heads. “I want to say very bad words to you both right now for totally butchering my song, but I think you were probably led astray by the movie studio. Did they let you hear the score for the film?” Again, they shook their heads. “Okay. One last question. Where’s the female voice?”

“Female voice?” Ed spoke up in confusion. “What female voice?”

“This song was written as a duet.” She lifted her bag onto her lap. “The lead character in the movie is Anastasia. A girl. It makes absolutely no sense to have a guy singing the lead on this. She’s supposed to be the lead, he’s supposed to have a strong supporting role.” Looking over to Richard, her brow furrowed. “I’m sorry. I really don’t see how this got screwed up so badly. The studio received an exact copy of the arrangement and a demo of how the vocals were to be laid out, as they requested.” Glancing back at Dan and Ed, she bit her lip. “And the current format in no way meshes with the lead-in orchestration from the score.”

“So how do we fix it?” Dan arched a brow at her. “Are you gonna wave a magic wand and make everything better?”

“Well, I’m gonna try to.” With a small smile, she pulled out a packet of discs and sheet music. “First off, you guys need to hear the score orchestration. You’ll understand better where I’m coming from.” Holding out a disc, she gestured to Ed. “Could you play this for us?”

“Sure.” He took it, wheeling around to the board. “What is it?”

“It’s the portion of the score they sent with the submission request.” Sitting back on the couch, she closed her eyes and smiled at the familiar orchestration that had inspired her. “Do you hear it? Can you hear how your track just doesn’t fit?”

“Yeah.” Ed nodded, ending the disc. “What did you have in mind for it?”

“This is the vocal demo that the studio signed for, with my original backing arrangement.” Passing him another disc, she let her eyes dart toward Richard. “This is how I intended for it to sound.” At his nod, Jen took a deep breath as the track started, all three men sitting up straighter in their seats.

“Well, damn.” Dan spoke softly when it was over. “That’s nearly perfect.” His eyes came up to Jen. “Do you have that backing track with you?”

“Yep. I have a pre-mixed version, or I have the individual instrument tracks if you’d rather mix it yourself.” Handing him the discs, she turned to Richard. “And I have the original lead sheets, too. I’m not sure what they gave you, since they made it a solo.”

“Great.” He looked her over carefully. “When I called Tom yesterday, I was wondering how you’d pull it off. Well done.”

“But what about the girl?” Ed looked up from where he was fiddling with the board. “Too bad the voice from the demo can’t be here. She was hot.”

“Oh, she’s here.” With a smile, she shook her head. “I don’t know about how hot she is, but thanks.”

“What?” Turning to her quickly, Dan propped an elbow on the counter. “You’re the demo voice?”

“Of course.” She gave him a confused look. “Don’t most songwriters sing their own demos?”

“Not nearly as many as you’d think.” Richard laughed softly. “I knew you were special from the second I heard Change the World. Congratulations, by the way. That Grammy was well deserved.”

“Thank you.”

“I knew I recognized you!” Ed nudged Dan in the ribs. “She made the cover of People. The bangin’ blue dress.”

“Yeah, lots of people liked the blue dress.” Laughing, she stood and crossed the room to where the two men were adjusting settings on the board, laying a hand on each of their shoulders. “Are we going with pre-mixed, or do you guys want to play with it for a bit?”

“Let us listen to the pieces. I think I can raise a level or two and make the guitar a little more dynamic, bring out the percussion a little more.” Dan’s fingers continued to adjust settings on the board. “We can still give them a little more of a pop sound, but keep it true to the rest of the soundtrack.”

“Okay. If it’s all right, I’ll be the stand-in for the female lead today.” She looked questioningly at Richard, who nodded. “When it’s finished, if the studio has time to find a big name to record it, it should be easy enough to swap out the vocal tracks.” Looking down at her watch, she was surprised to see that it was already nearing noon. “How about we grab a bite while you’re working on the track? Then we’ll hammer out the harmonies while you guys have lunch.”

“Sounds good. Once we get this set, it shouldn’t take too long to get a final take. If we pull a later evening, we can get it finished by tomorrow at the latest.” Dan glanced at her with a smile. “And if they’re smart, they’ll leave it as is, without changing that vocal track.”

“Well, I don’t know about that, but … great. Be back soon.” Picking up her bag, she headed for the door, Richard on her heels. “Joining me?”

“If that’s okay.” With a wink, he held the door for her. “You’re not the only fan in the room today.”

“I find that hard to believe.” She grinned as they made their way downstairs. “I’m just little old me, going to lunch with Richard Marx like it’s any other day.” Shaking her head, she let out a laugh. “God, that sounds so surreal.”

“You’ll get used to it.” He patted her shoulder as they crossed the lobby. “You haven’t even finished school yet, have you?”

“Nope. I’ll graduate next December, but my agent seems to think I’ll be pretty busy before I get done.”

“He’s right. Mac usually is.” At her curious glance, he smiled. “I’ve been following your portfolio for a while. Very impressive.”

“Thanks.” Just as they stepped onto the sidewalk, her phone pealed from her bag. “Sorry, let me get that. I’ve never been in this part of the city, so if there’s a place you like, just lead the way.” He nodded, staying close as they began to walk. Flipping the phone open, she couldn’t hide her smile. “Hello?”

“Hey, Boof. Is this a good time?”

“Oh, this is a great time. You’ll never guess who I’m about to have lunch with …”

----------------------------------------

August 26, 1997

“You were serious?” Jen’s eyes widened as Maggie pulled to a stop in front of the shop. “I thought you were joking.”

“Nope.” Maggie laughed, turning off the ignition. “We had a bet, and I won. Fair and square.”

“But …” Swallowing hard, Jen turned a pleading look on her friend. “But the odds of you winning were next to none. Do you think I would’ve agreed to your terms if I’d thought it could actually happen?”

“It’s not my fault you didn’t put more imagination into your side of it.” The redhead grinned, opening her door. “Come on. You might as well get it over with.”

“Maggie …”

“Get a move on, Jen.” Not waiting, Maggie slammed her door and came around to Jen’s side, pulling her door open and tapping her foot impatiently. “Look, not only did I win this bet, I won it with a vengeance. You’re lucky I’m not making you let me choose it and watch it happen.” At the brunette’s panicked expression, she let out a sigh. “It’s not like I’m asking you to have a sleeve done. Just one tasteful little something or other. You don’t even have to let me see it.”

“My God. A tattoo?” Reluctantly, Jen stepped out of the car. “Really?”

“Yep. It’ll be good for you to express yourself a little.” Maggie smiled, leading her toward the door of the parlor. “These guys have a great reputation for service, so they’ll take good care of you. I barely felt it when they did mine. And they have the widest selection of art in the city. You could get a little music something if you want.” She arched a brow when Jen hesitated. “Are you backing out on me?”

“No. I’m just nervous, that’s all.”

“It’s okay, I promise. I called ahead to let them know how you are, and they swore you’d breeze through it.”

“Damn you, Mariah Carey.” Jen muttered under her breath as she passed through the doorway. “You had to go and pick another one, didn’t you?”

“Did you seriously curse the woman who’s padded your bank account so well?” Maggie let out a laugh. “And let me remind you that she didn’t just record it – as I predicted she would – she named her album after it. Butterfly.” Green eyes lit with glee. “How perfect is that? A double whammy for me.”

“I know, I know.” Heaving a sigh, Jen tried to smile when the girl behind the counter greeted them. “I’m all kinds of thankful. You know that. I just … really?”

“Relax. They’ll take you back in a room and let you look through the binders until you find what you like. You’ll get to customize your colors and tell them where you want it.” Her brow furrowed slightly. “Where do you want it?”

“Wherever it’s least likely to be seen.” Jen gestured to the tank top she was wearing and shook her head, eyes widening. “Mom is going to kill me.”

“Your shoulder, probably closer to the shoulder blade. Your tank tops are pretty much all wide straps, so that should be perfect.” Maggie nodded and smiled as they approached the counter. “Hi, Stef. We’ve got an appointment with Jackson.”

“Hey, Maggie.” Stef, who had a bird with a long rainbow of feathers tattooed on her outer arm and wild pink hair, snapped her gum. “Did you bring us another one?”

Another one?” Brown eyes jerked quickly over, glaring sharply. “What, do you get a free tattoo for every five referrals, or something?”

“No, no, no.” Maggie and Stef laughed. “I’ve just sent over some of the girls in my drama group. They were all very happy with everything, I swear.” She placed her hand on Jen’s shoulder comfortingly. “Take deep breaths, Jen. You’re not skydiving here. It’s just a little needle with some ink. No big deal.”

“Jen?” Stef’s eyes widened as she looked Jen over from head to toe. “Jen! I thought I recognized you. You’re Jen Lawson, aren’t you?”

“Honestly, right now, I’m kind of wishing I wasn’t.” With a quiet laugh, Jen reached out to shake Stef’s hand. “But, yeah, that’s me. It’s nice to meet you.”

“Wow, we’ve never had a Grammy winner in here before.” Breaking into a grin, the girl turned toward the hallway to the right of the desk. “Hey, Jackson! Your next appointment’s here!” Facing them again, her eyes glinted brightly. “Oh, you’re gonna make his day. He had that issue of People floating around the shop for months, because girls were insisting on that shade of blue in their artwork. He finally mastered it and named it after you. Jenny Blue.”

“I’ve got a tattoo color named after me?” Blinking in surprise, her attention went to the hallway as an older man stepped out. He was tall and built, his arms covered in ink and a thick gold ring pierced through his right ear. “Oh, wow.”

“You’re just a little thing, aren’t you?” Jackson’s voice was deep, bouncing off the walls of the shop as he looked her over. “Let me guess: hearts or flowers?”

“Well, I’m not into flowers. And I don’t think I’d like having a heart etched on my body for the rest of my life …”

“Jackson, this is Jen Lawson.” Stef patted his shoulder with a smile. “You actually get to do work for your color’s inspiration.”

“Seriously?” His brows rose sharply, grey eyes moving over her once again as a grin began to form. “Well, my God. You’ll want something musical, then, won’t you? I’ve got a great selection.” He stepped aside, gesturing for her to go ahead of him. “Let’s go, sweetheart. The quicker we get started, the quicker it’s over.”

“It’s okay, Jen. He’s the best.” Maggie nudged her forward, giving her a reassuring smile. “He’ll take really good care of you. And I’ll be right out here if you need me.”

“Remind me to never make a bet with you again.” Straightening her shoulders, Jen took a deep breath and began walking in the direction Jackson was guiding her, glancing up at him sheepishly. “I’m sorry. It’s not you. I’ve just never seriously considered getting a tattoo and now I’m here because I lost a bet I thought was a joke.”

“It’s okay. I’m a pro at first timers.” He followed behind her until he could point out a doorway on the left. “Just in there, darlin'. We’ll make this as easy as we can, okay?”

“Sure.” She stepped into the room, taking in all the artwork around her. “Wow. There’s some awesome designs on your walls.” Coming to a halt beside the odd-looking chair in the middle of the floor, she glanced at him. “Have you really done all of these?”

“Most of them, yeah. Some guys come up in here a dozen times, getting ink all over.”

“That’s amazing.” Her gaze landed on a photo of a woman with three little girls sitting around her. “Is this your family?”

“My daughter and her little ones.” A bright smile lit his features as he reached for the design book beside the photo. “Love those girls with all my heart. You won’t find a prouder grandpa than me.” Passing her the binder, he gestured toward the tattoo chair. “Just have a seat there and start looking. With it being your first, I wouldn’t recommend anything large, or with a lot of colors. Maybe three or four colors, five max. Did you have an idea of what you wanted?”

“Not really. I figure I’ll know it when I see it.” Biting her lip, she began flipping through the pages. “Maggie said that my shoulder would be a good spot. Or maybe around my shoulder blade?”

“Yeah, that should be good. Are you wanting it seen, or hidden?”

“Preferably hidden.” She sent him a small smile. “I’ll know it’s there. That’s all that matters.”

“Mmhmm.” He moved over behind her, measuring the strap of her top with his fingers. “You normally wear a shirt like this?”

“This is the least sleeve I wear, yeah.”

“Okay, I can do a good one in that size.” Coming back around in front of her, he propped his hip against the cabinet that held the inks. “What kind of bet did you lose?”

“Mariah Carey was looking at another one of my songs, and I thought there was no way she’d go for it. Maggie bet that she would, and not only did I lose, I tanked big time.”

“How's that?” His brow arched. “She make it the lead single, or something?”

“Not the lead single, but it’ll be the second.” A laugh escaped. “She named the album after it.”

“Well, sweetheart, that’s something to be proud of.” He crossed his arms over his chest. “So now you get some ink, huh? If it’d gone the other way, what would your friend be doing right now?”

“Dishes for a year.” She shrugged at his surprised laugh. “I love to cook, but I hate doing dishes. Sounded fair at the time.” Her fingers flipped to another page, and she froze, her eyes zeroing in on one of the designs. “Oh, wow. This is pretty.”

“Which one?” Leaning forward, he took a look at the image she pointed to. “Not only pretty, but good for a first tat. Maybe an extra color to get the shadowing right, but it’s small and won’t require a lot of fill-in, shouldn’t take long at all.” Tapping his large finger against the page, he cleared his throat. “Do you like the red and yellow? Or do you want something else?”

“I don’t suppose I can come into a tattoo parlor that has a color named after me and not get it, can I?” With a grin, she looked up at him. “How about Jenny Blue and a purple color to accent?”

“Jenny Blue is a little dark, so we could do the outline in it instead of black, with a lighter shade of blue and purple to fill. We’ll still have to use black for the detailing, and a grayish color for the shadowing.” Jackson went over to what appeared to be an artists’ easel and picked up a pencil, sketching quickly on the white paper. “Anything you want to change about the design?”

“Actually, yeah.” Standing up, she moved over next to him, pointing to the innards of his sketch. “Can we …” Before long, he’d finished the design and had sent her into a small room to put on something that looked like a tube top as he gathered his tools and colors. Stepping back out, she adjusted the top. “Okay. How long do you think it’ll take?”

“That depends on you, darlin'. I’ll be as easy as I can, but whenever you need a break, we’ll stop.”

“Then how about I just keep my eyes closed and let you do your thing?” Taking a nervous breath, she headed for the chair, laying forward as if she were preparing for a massage. “Can you play some music or something? To distract me?”

“Sure thing, sweetie.” The sound of a stool rolling over the floor carried around the room, then music began to play. “I’m a fan of the oldies, myself. That okay with you?”

“Yeah. Don’t be surprised if I start singing along.” She laughed as a tune by The Jackson 5 began on the radio. “Anything else you suggest?”

“We’re doing some color, so I’m going to give you some gum. When it loses its flavor, let me know and I’ll get you a fresh piece.” His hand appeared under her, holding a piece of bubble gum. “Here you go.”

“Thanks.” Popping the gum into her mouth, she began to chew, closing her eyes and focusing on the music. “Anytime you’re ready, Jackson.”

“All right, prepare for a stinging feeling, girl. A little ways in, you may not feel it anymore.” There was a buzzing noise, and she flinched a bit at the sting of the needle against her skin. Before long, she was singing with the radio, her voice carrying over the buzzing tool behind her as she blocked out the unpleasant sensation by concentrating on the lyrics. After a while, the buzzing stopped, and the stool rolled across the floor. “Just changing to the next color. I’ve never been serenaded while inking someone. It’s nice.”

“Well, I’m a little different.”

“I’ll say.” He came back to her, starting up the tool again. “What was the name of the song you lost the bet with?”

Butterfly.” Her voice shook with laughter as she heard him choke. “Ironic, huh?”

“Whatever works, darlin'.” Jackson’s grin carried in his tone, his hand steady as he began filling in the first wing. “Even if it is literal.”

----------------------------------------

November 7, 1997

“Honey, Tessa and Shan brought fried potatoes and mac and cheese.” Lisa paused on her way toward the table. “Are you setting up on the counter, or do you want them on the table?”

“I’ve got a few warming pads in the cabinet beside the fridge, so if there’s room on the table, go for it. We’ll let the kids eat at the counter tonight.” Jen glanced up from where she was seasoning the second pan of oven fried chicken, smiling when she saw the boys sprinting through the living room to join Chloe outside. Mac, Brian and Nick called out hellos to the new arrivals from where they were talking business on one of the couches. “Who are we missing?”

“Matt got held up with a lesson, but he should be here soon. And Adam is on his way.” Amber stopped at her elbow, taking an appreciative sniff of the chicken cooking in the oven. “I need to get you to teach me how to do that. Fried chicken with no grease? Heaven on a plate.”

“The Fatones are planning on being here, too. Phyllis called to say they were talking to Joey, and they’d be on their way in a bit.” Maggie breezed out of the kitchen, a stack of plates in her hands, glancing down at the rose lying on the counter. “Are you still getting flowers on your windshield?”

“Every day I park on campus. Either someone’s really thick, or he knows exactly what he’s doing and is just very persistent.”

“Are you sure it’s not Jace? That’d make it sweet instead of overly creepy.”

“I don’t think roses on the windshield is his style.” A shrug lifted her shoulders. “If it was Josh, he’d have them delivered here. Besides, there’s really no reason for him to send me flowers.”

“Oh, he has every reason to send you flowers. He’s just becoming a pro at dragging his feet.” Shaking her head, Maggie set the plates on the table. “But I guess you’re right. Just plates? Or bowls too?”

“Plates for now. We might need bowls for dessert, though.” Brown eyes skipped up to check the clock. “It’s a little after six, and this second pan won’t be done until closer to seven. We won’t be ready to eat for a while yet.”

“I doubt anybody’s going to complain, sweetie. The company’s half the fun.” Tessa opened the refrigerator, scoping out the drink supply. “Do you need Shan to bring in a few more sodas? The boys are blowing through them like water lately.”

“Would you mind?” Jen smiled toward Shan, who was giving her barbecue dipping sauce a curious sniff. “They’re in the fridge just inside the garage door.”

“Sure thing, babygirl.” With a wink, he swiped the tip of his pinkie finger around the edge of the bowl, giving it a taste. “Mmm. Just like my mama’s.” As he walked by, he bumped her with his hip. “Do I get my hot sauce tonight, too?”

“Yep. I just made a fresh jar this week.” Laughing, she nudged him with her elbow before he could get past. “And if you hurry with the sodas, I might have a batch of chocolate chunk cookies to send home with you.”

“You hear that, Tessie? Our girl’s taking care of me.”

“She always does, honey. I think you gained fifteen pounds while you were working over here.” Tessa slapped his rear playfully, then pushed him toward the garage. “Now get moving.”

“Yes, ma’am.”

The timer sounded on the oven, and Jen quickly swapped out the pans of chicken, sliding the finished pan down into the warming drawer before resetting the timer for the second batch. Opening a lower cabinet, she pulled out the small set of wheeled steps Shan had made for her, moving them so she could climb up to reach her larger serving bowls. Retrieving two, she set them on the counter, then opened another cabinet, searching for the topping spices for the pudding cake that would cook while they were eating.

The front door opened, Matt and Adam calling out hellos just as the phone began to ring.

“Hey, Maggie? Can you hit the speaker button?” Jen’s brow furrowed as she dug further for the cinnamon, looking over her shoulder to see the redhead moving the phone base as close to her as she could, then pressing the button. “Hey, Josh! How’s it going?”

“Uh, hey, Boof.” His voice was startled, and she began to laugh. “How did you … never mind. You’ve always been spooky.”

“Amen to that, brother.” Shan laughed as he carried two twelve packs of soda toward the refrigerator. “She keeps me wondering.”

“Am I interrupting?” A smile brightened JC’s tone. “I forgot it was Family Dinner night.”

“Not at all. Just know that I’m working in the kitchen, so you’re on speaker.” She grinned around at the crowd. “Say hi, everybody.” Various greetings carried around the room and he laughed over the line. “So, what’s up? It’s a little late where you are, isn’t it?”

“It’s never too late for you, Jenny.”

“Good answer, son.” Mac called from the couch, winking toward Jen when she shook her head at him. “You’ve learned early.”

“Enough, guys.” She waved her hand around the room, calling them down. “Keep it up and I’ll only make half of a hot fudge pudding cake and let you all fight to the death over it.” Eyes widened at her empty threat and they went quiet, biting back smiles. “Sorry, Josh. I think they’ll behave now.”

“Hot fudge pudding cake, huh?” He laughed softly. “What are you celebrating?”

“All kinds of things.” Setting down the cinnamon, she reached for her sprinkler container of sugar. “Mom and Mac are getting married. So are Matt and Amber. Maggie got a part in the play she auditioned for. All the kids got great scores on their grade cards. Shan just put the finishing touches on my remodel. And I got a new toy this week. I’ll have to tell you about it later.” A smile lifted her lips as she thought about the shiny blue Corvette sitting in the newly expanded garage. “Take your pick.”

“Wow. Congratulations, guys.” JC’s well-wishes earned a round of appreciation from the crowd. “Want to add something else to your list?”

“Of course. Whatcha got?”

“We’re coming home.”

“You’ll be here for the holidays?” She closed the cabinet doors. “That’s awesome, Josh. When are you coming in?”

“No, Boof. We’re coming home.”

“You … really?” Spinning around, she nearly fell off the steps. “Like, for good? You’re coming home for good?”

“For good, Jenny.” His smile carried around the room. “RCA offered us a deal this week, and we signed the contracts this afternoon. We have until our tour in the U.K. to get everything wrapped up here, then we’ll be stateside by Thanksgiving.”

“You’re coming home.” She had to let the idea sink in, then felt a giddy smile lifting her lips as she hopped to the floor. “You’re coming home!”

“Yep.”

“If you could see the smile you’ve put on this sweet girl’s face, you’d be hauling tail to get yourself here tomorrow, boy.” Shan laughed as she moved toward the phone. “I’ve never seen our babygirl this happy, so you must really be something special.”

“Oh, hush.” Jen reached up to tap him on the shoulder playfully as she picked up the handset, cutting off the speaker function. “Josh …”

“I know, Jen. It’s been a long time coming.” He sighed across the line. “But we finally did it. Unless it’s for a tour or to finish out a contract we signed over here, we won’t have to leave the States again.”

“That’s fantastic.” Leaving the kitchen, she put the phone to her shoulder as she passed Maggie. “If I’m not back, take the chicken out of the oven when it chimes. If you could pull the pudding cake base from the fridge so it can be ready to bake, I’d appreciate it.” Not waiting for her friend to nod, she raised the phone again and practically skipped to her office, closing the door behind her. “I can’t believe it.”

“I can’t either.” The sound of rustling covers almost muffled his voice, and she realized he was lying in bed. “And I can’t wait to get there.”

“You might not recognize the place.” She laughed, sitting down in her desk chair and reclining back. “I’ve made a few changes. You got an upgrade.”

“I did? Really?”

“Yeah. I’m pretty sure you’ll like it. And tell Chris that I’ve turned his world around a bit.”

“I will.” Biting back a yawn, he let his head sink into the pillow. “He swears he’s going to look for a place as soon as we get back.”

“But …” Her brow furrowed as she debated her train of thought. “Josh, I know how well the album sold over there, but you really haven’t said more about … have you guys been paid anything yet?” At his silence, she cringed. “I’m sorry. I know that’s none of my business. But if you haven’t, then how on earth is Chris planning to find a place? Houses and apartments aren’t free. Well, most of them, anyway.”

“I know, Boof.” He cleared his throat. “He just doesn’t want to feel like an imposition.”

“But he’s not an imposition. He’s family. If any of the others needed a place, I’d invite them in, too.”

“He knows. They all do. But he’s got pride, Jen. He needs to feel like he’s making it on his own.”

“I understand that. I really do.” She tilted her head back, staring at the ceiling. “Tell you what. I expanded into the side yard so that he’s got his own garage and entrance now.”

“Seriously?”

“Yep. It’s a full-blown apartment down there. You’ve only got two weeks before you leave for the U.K., so why don’t you guys go ahead and ship the stuff you won’t need to me? I’ll get you both settled in, and he can check it out when he gets here. If he still wants to leave, that’s fine, but he’s more than welcome to stay.” A quiet laugh shook her chest. “It’s not like I’m going to offer it to anybody else, anyway. If he feels like he wants to pay rent, then we can talk about it once you guys start seeing something from your work.”

“I’ll run it by him.” His grin carried over the line. “Honestly, though, all you’ll really have to do is get him there and let him see how excited you are to show him around. Give him the sad eyes, and I’m pretty sure he’ll do whatever you want.”

“The sad eyes, huh?”

“You know I’m not the only one who can’t handle it.”

“I guess we’ll see.” Closing her eyes, she tried to imagine him there with her. “How about you? You’re not going to run out on me, are you?”

“Not a chance, Jenny. I’m counting down the days already.” He twisted around under the covers. “I can’t wait to see you.”

“Me, too.” She swallowed hard. “This … this isn’t going to change things, is it?”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, we’ve only gotten to see each other for maybe a couple weeks every four or five months. That’s a lot of goodbyes, Josh.” Clearing her throat, she forced herself to continue. “I know you’ll still be busy and won’t be around all the time, but we’ll be more accessible to each other.”

“Thank God.”

“Are you sure about that?” Her teeth worked over her lip. “What if it’s not that awesome to have me around all the time?”

“Boof, I’ve always wanted you around.” His tone lowered, and she could picture his furrowed brow. “You know that, right?”

“I … yeah. But that was before …”

“Before?” Confusion colored his voice. “Before what?”

“Before the kissing started.” She heard him cough back a laugh, and felt a blush starting. “Stop it. You know what I mean. I think we have something, but what if it turns out that we don’t work as anything but ‘every now and again’?”

“Just so you know, I want you around more since the kissing started. But I guess we’ll have to see how it goes.” A sigh carried to her. “For the record, I think we have something, too. And unless you tell me otherwise, I don’t plan to stop getting up close and personal, Jenny.”

“You won’t hear it from me.” Grinning, she spun the chair. “So, what does this mean? Am I still waiting?” Her pulse kicked in her chest, hope flying through her heart. “Or are we going for it?”

“I don’t know, Boof.” The covers rustled again as he shifted. “Johnny hasn’t given us any idea of what’s going to be happening once we get there. All we know is that we’re heading home. I need more information before I can give you an answer. I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay.” She bit her lip, holding back a sigh. “I understand.”

“I only want to do the best thing for you. It’s not going to do us any good if I get home and then have to take off again for months at a time while you’re still in class …”

“I know, Josh.” A loud crash came from the other side of the office door. “Oh, God. If that was my chicken, I’m going to be very unhappy.”

“I should let you get back to dinner.” He laughed as she let out a groan. “Take deep breaths. I’ll call again as soon as I know what my travel arrangements are, and when you can expect those deliveries.”

“Okay. Sleep well.”

“I will. Take care, Boof. I’ll see you soon.”

Ending the call, she let her shoulders heave in a sigh before rising from the chair, fighting back the surge of disappointment. “He wouldn’t let me wait this long for nothing. There’s something there, I know it.” Heading for the door, she pasted a smile on her face, then tugged it open. “Everybody alive out here?”

 

 

Chapter Twenty Two by Renee

 

November 26, 1997

“Hey, Jen? Can I help with the pumpkin roll this year?” Heather glanced up from where she was breaking a large bowl of fresh green beans. “You promised to teach me how to make one.”

“Sure. Once I say hi to your brother, I’m heading home to start on our part of the meal. I was gonna fix two rolls tonight, so just run on over after you’ve had dinner and we’ll do it.” Jen sent her a smile. “Why don’t you stay the night? I’ll pop some popcorn, throw together some of my hot cider and we’ll put in a chick flick for a little girl time.”

“Cider? Really?” The younger girl’s eyes lit up. “Apple cinnamon?”

“Of course.” A playful huff lifted her shoulders as she began stirring the corn mixture she was working on. “What other kind is there?”

“Did someone say apple cinnamon cider?” Tyler poked his head in the door. “Am I invited?”

“Nope. Girls only.” Heather giggled, running her bowl under the faucet to rinse the beans. “Sorry, bro.”

“Hey, Ty.” Jen tilted her head, gesturing for him to come to her side and lowering her voice. “Make sure she gets through the woods, and I’ll have a thermos waiting for you.” She bumped his hip with a grin. “I might even have a batch of your favorite cookie bars ready, too. Deal?”

“Awesome! Thanks, Jen.” He bounced on his toes – just like JC did when he was excited – and leaned over to kiss her cheek, his eyes widening at the flash of headlights through the living room window. “They’re pulling into the driveway, H.”

“He’s home!” Cutting off the water, Heather left the beans in the sink and grabbed a dishtowel to dry her hands, flying toward the living room. “Jenny! Josh is home!”

“I heard. Go ahead and see him, I’ll finish up here.” Adding shredded cheese and a bit of salt to her bowl, she mixed it quickly, listening to the kids racing to the garage. Swiping a finger around the rim, she tested the mixture for taste. “Mmm. That’s good.” With a smile, she emptied the bowl into a baking pan, carefully smoothing it out flat, then left it on the counter and moved over to make sure the beans were drained.

Picking up the bowl, she poured out just the right amount of water. Securing the lid in place, she slid the beans into the refrigerator, where they’d stay until they were cooked on the stove the next day. The door closed behind her as she made her way across the room to the oven. She’d just flipped the interior light on to check the pies when she heard light footsteps coming into the kitchen. “Hey, Aunt Karen. I played with your corn casserole recipe just a tad. I hope you don’t mind.”

“I’m sure she won’t mind at all.” Arms came around her midsection, squeezing her tightly. “And those pies smell awesome.” Blue eyes lit with his grin when she turned to face him. “Hey, Boof.”

“Josh.” Her voice was barely a whisper as she pressed closer to him, burying her face in his shirt and hugging him around the waist. “Hey.” Taking a deep breath, she looked up with a smile. “Welcome home.”

“Thanks.” He bent, kissing the top of her head. “I could get used to this.”

“What? Finding me in a kitchen?” She laughed, then arched a brow at him. “Always thinking with your stomach, aren’t you?”

“That’s not what I meant, and you know it.” With a mock growl, he wrapped her up in his arms and lifted her against him. “I’m going to like having more hellos than goodbyes.” He smiled when she leaned into his shoulder, hugging his neck tightly. Turning his head, he pressed his lips to her cheek. “H said you were heading home now that I’m here. Really?”

“Yeah, I have to. I came over to help out, so things wouldn’t fall behind here. Mom and Mac went out for dinner and to visit a few old friends, and I promised to get started on our cooking tonight.” Breathing in his cologne, she relaxed in his arms. “That sweet potato casserole isn’t going to bake itself, you know. And Heather’s coming over in a little while to help me with the pumpkin rolls. We’re gonna have a girl’s night.” Kissing his chin, she twisted a bit. “Now put me down, before I change my mind and stick around here where I won’t get anything done.”

“Doesn’t sound all that bad to me.” He set her down, his gaze moving over her face. “It’s so good to see you, Jenny.”

“You, too.” With a smile, she pushed out of his embrace. “It’s just for tonight, I promise. We’ll have all the time in the world once the cooking’s done.”

“Actually …” Leaning down to her, he lowered his voice. “Why don’t I sneak over later?”

“H is staying with me.”

“So what? Camp out in the living room and I’ll just tap on the window. You can come out to meet me.” His features took on a pleading expression. “Please?”

“All right, fine.” She laughed, shaking her head. “Eleven thirty?”

“Probably closer to midnight.”

“Okay. I’ll see you then.” Going up on her toes, she pulled him down for a lightning fast kiss on his lips. Before he could respond, she moved away from him and grabbed her jacket off one of the chairs at the kitchen table. “Tell your mom that the pies only need about ten more minutes, and the corn casserole is ready to go in. The beans are washed and stored until tomorrow.” Zipping up, she sent him a smile and a wink. “Remind your sister to bring something comfy to wear and tell the family good night for me. See you later.”

“Yep.” Following her to the back door, he watched as she stepped into the cold darkness and skipped off the porch, stopping at the beginning of the trail to turn and wave at him. “Later, Boof.”

*********************

Jen leaned forward, setting her mug on the coffee table as she checked the clock again.

“What time is he coming?” Heather tried to hide her smile, snuggling under the blanket on the other end of the couch. “He’s not late, is he?”

“What?” Brown eyes widened innocently. “Who?”

“Josh.” The younger girl let out a giggle. “You don’t exactly have the best poker face, Jenny.”

“Sorry, H.” She wrinkled her nose with the apology. “It was all his idea, and it’s kind of cold out there. I don’t want him to hang out waiting on me.”

“It’s okay. I totally get it.” Heather propped up higher on her pillow, glancing quickly to the TV, where Sandra Bullock was being introduced as the fiancé of a man in a coma. “Are you guys dating now?”

“I … no. I don’t think so.” Jen bit her lip as she thought it over. “I guess you could say we’re figuring it out.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Well, we haven’t exactly been in the same neighborhood for the last few years.”

“So what? Chemistry travels over phone lines, too, you know.” A brow was arched in Jen’s direction. “If it works, it works.”

“I don’t think we know if it works yet. We haven’t really had a chance to try to make it work.”

“Yeah, I guess that’s true.” Heather’s foot nudged her thigh. “But you seem kind of antsy that he’s coming by tonight. That’s a good thing, right?”

“Maybe it is. I can’t wait to see him.” With a soft laugh, Jen reached under the blanket to tickle the foot pressing against her. “All I know is that I’m really happy when I’m with him. He makes me feel good. And whenever he hugs me, I don’t want him to let me go.”

“Is that it?”

“Not quite.” She cast a sideways glance across the couch. “He’s a better kisser than I expected.”

“I knew it!” With another giggle, Heather sat up on the couch and scooted over to throw her arms around Jen in a tight squeeze. “I knew there was something different about the way he was looking at you.”

“Looking at me?” Jen’s brow furrowed in confusion. “When was he looking at me?”

“He stood in the kitchen doorway watching you for a few minutes before he went in.” A dreamy sigh lifted the teen’s shoulders. “I can’t wait until I meet a guy who looks at me like that.”

“Oh. Really?” Shaking her head, a smile began to play over her lips before she focused on the girl next to her. “Heather, how would you feel if we were together?”

“Are you kidding? Talk about the best thing ever!” Heather bounced in her seat. “You’re already the closest thing I’ve got to a sister. If it was for real … I’d love that!” She sat back with a smile. “Mom and Dad used to talk about the two of you, wondering if Josh would ever man up and go for it. I think they were a little worried when nothing happened after your prom.” Her eyes met Jen’s. “Then you guys wound up in Florida together, and he’d talk more about you than anything else when he called home. Mom was pretty sure something was up.”

“But that was before …” Jen clamped her lips shut, cutting the sentence off.

“Before what?”

“Nothing happened until, like, the day before he went to Sweden.” Thinking back, she had to correct herself. “No, that’s not right. He kissed me in the grocery store the day I heard my first song on the radio. Right before Thanksgiving.”

“He kissed you in a grocery store?”

“Uh huh.” A blush began to form. “I was all excited about One Sweet Day, and he picked me up and spun me around. Next thing I knew, wow.” Clearing her throat, she looked back to Heather. “Why?”

“Josh is all about keeping it private.”

“Well, yeah.”

“No, even when he brought his girlfriends around in middle and high school, he never let us see any of that.” Heather’s smile became a grin. “If your first kiss was in public, with a bunch of people around, then you really got to him, Jenny.”

“I didn’t know about that. I guess I tried to make myself scarce whenever the Chosen One came by. I didn’t want to get in the way and I hated feeling like the third wheel.”

“I kinda figured it was something like that.” A scowl marred the girl’s features. “I always hated it when he was dating somebody, because we didn’t get to see you as much.”

“I’m sorry, H.” Jen reached up to squeeze her shoulder. “You know I really wanted to be there, right? It drove me crazy, knowing I shouldn’t be around when that was where I felt like I belonged.”

“It’s okay.” There was a rapping noise at the window, and her face brightened. “There he is. Don’t keep the guy waiting.”

“You’ll be all right?”

“Heck, yeah. Lucy’s about to meet Jack for the first time.” Reaching for the popcorn bowl, Heather let out a laugh. “Jack might just be the man of my dreams. How cute is he?” She watched as Jen got up from the couch, her fuzzy pajama pants with the cartoon turkeys glowing brightly in the light of the TV as she put on her jacket and slipped on a pair of shoes. “Don’t forget that thermos of cider. You’ll need it.”

“Thanks. I’ll be back.”

“Don’t rush for me.” A wink came Jen’s direction. “It might be cold, but I’m sure he’ll be happy to help you out.”

Heather. Hush.” With a snorting laugh, Jen picked up the thermos and opened the door, stepping out onto the porch. “Josh?”

“Over here.” There was a flash of something in the direction of the swing in the front yard, and she realized he’d covered the seat with a quilt. She hopped down the steps, moving quickly toward him as he straightened up, another blanket in his arms. “Hey, Boof. Beautiful night, huh?”

“Uh huh.” Shivering against the breeze, she wrapped her hands more tightly around the thermos, hoping a little warmth from the cider would carry through. “Cold, too. But I think we’re both prepared.” With a quiet laugh, she lifted the metal container for him to see. “Hot cider.”

“Apple cinnamon?” He grinned brightly when she nodded. “Nice. Ty wouldn’t share earlier.” Sitting down on the swing, he arranged the second quilt, then laughed as he noticed her attire. “You make those turkeys look good.”

“Yeah, right.” She smiled, twisting the lid of the thermos loose. “Want some?”

“In a second.” Lifting up the quilt, he held it open for her. “Come on in. It’ll be cozy before we know it.”

“Awesome.” Sliding up next to him, she pressed into his side as he made sure the blanket covered her, wrapping an arm around her to pull her closer. Removing the lid, she passed the cider to him. “Here. Try some.”

“Wow, that smells good.” He tilted the thermos up, carefully sipping at the hot liquid. “God, I’ve missed this. Your cider is better than anything they had in Sweden.”

“Thanks.” She took a few sips when he handed it back to her. “More?”

“Not just yet.” Taking the container, he made sure it was sealed, then set it on the ground next to the swing. Tightening his arm around her, he tilted his head down until he could kiss her forehead. “This is what I’ve been waiting all day for.”

“Sitting outside at midnight on a swing?” A laugh escaped. “You wait for strange things, Josh.”

“Sitting outside at midnight on a swing with you.” He clarified, his hand coming to her face, brushing his thumb over her jaw. “When I found out you couldn’t stick around earlier, I had this horrible vision of not getting any alone time with you until tomorrow night. Didn’t sit well with me.”

“I guess I’m in more demand than usual, huh?” Looking up at him, she let her gaze move over his features, then stretched up to kiss his cheek. “I’m so glad you’re home.”

“I wasn’t too sure what to expect when I got to the house.” His eyes locked on hers, and he came down further. “I’m pretty sure this is the hello I was hoping for.” She was smiling when his lips caught hers, and she responded immediately, one hand reaching up, her fingers sliding into his hair to pull him closer. He tasted of spicy apples and cinnamon, and when he backed off a little, she couldn’t help but follow him for more. His arm squeezed around her and he kissed her deeply one last time before pulling away with a shaky laugh. “Wow. Yeah, that was it.” With a grin, he playfully kissed the tip of her nose. “Hi.”

“Hi.” Shaking her head, she relaxed into him, leaning against his shoulder. “I wasn’t sure, either.” Clearing her throat, she shivered, and he leaned forward to pick up the cider, passing it to her. “Thanks.” Twisting off the lid, she drank enough to warm up, then handed it back to him. “I mean, we aren’t actually dating. We haven’t put names on anything, so I’m not your girlfriend. I really didn’t know what to do, especially with your entire family in the next room. Are we supposed to tell them anything? Or are they just gonna figure it out as we do?” She watched him drink his fill, then return the thermos to the ground. “When it’s just you and me, it’s easier to forget that we’re hanging out in limbo, you know?”

“It’s been a rough time, hasn’t it?” With a sigh, he kissed the top of her head, then shifted until he could pull her onto his lap, wrapping the blanket tightly around them. When he felt her snuggling into his chest, her head cradled against his neck, he smiled and pushed his foot to send them rocking. “I know this has been hard on you, and I’m sorry, Jenny.” Swallowing hard, he let his fingers tangle in her hair. “But we’re gonna have to keep with it for a while longer. Johnny couldn’t give me any definite ideas of what the plan is now that we’re home. The label liked the original album, but they want pretty much everything redone, and they want to throw out some of the old to add some new. We’re going to be all over the place for a while, just getting the product ready. Then comes the promotion and hopefully a tour …”

“It’s okay, Josh.” She pressed her lips to his neck. “If nothing else, I’m patient. Until you tell me I shouldn’t wait anymore, I’ll be there when you’re ready.” Breathing deeply, she felt her eyelids growing heavy. “I promise.”

“I wish it could be different.” He bit his lip, pushing against the ground again to give them more swing. “I’d love nothing more than to throw labels all over this thing, lock you in for the long haul and call it done.” A cough shook his chest, the crisp night air burning his lungs, and one of her arms wrapped around his shoulders, hugging him. “But even with us being on the same continent, it doesn’t look like I can be there for you. And that’s what I want. I want to be able to stand by you for anything, help you through everything. If we’re gonna be together, then I want to actually be with you. There’s a lot of travel in my life, and I want you to have the freedom to decide when you want to come with me. It may never turn out perfectly, but right now, you’ll be finishing school while I’m floating all over.” He tightened his arms around her, turning his face into her hair and breathing in the scent of cinnamon and baked pumpkin. “One day, things will be more flexible. Our lives will mesh easier. Just stick with me, Boof. I promise we’ll get there.”

“Mmhmm.” Her hum was muffled against him, and he smiled when he realized she was asleep.

For a little while longer, he kept her with him, swinging in the cold night. When he felt her shiver, he knew it was time to turn in. Carefully, he held her as he stood, wrapping the quilt more tightly around her before moving to the front porch. Glancing at the windows, he saw that the lights were still on, and knocked softly on the door.

After a moment, Heather pulled it open, a grin brightening her face as she held it for him. “She didn’t last very long, did she?”

“Not as long as I was hoping for.” He laughed quietly and carried Jen into the living room. “Which end was she on?”

“By the phone.” His sister walked to the couch, sliding back under the blanket as she watched JC lean down to lay her on the cushions. As always, Jen’s brow furrowed when he ducked out from underneath her arm, and he reached for a pillow, letting her hug it instead. “You’ve got this down to a science, don’t you?”

“Something like that, yeah.” Glancing up with a grin, he adjusted the quilt so Jen would be more comfortable, then pressed a kiss to her forehead. “Sweet dreams, Jenny.” Straightening up, he moved to the other end of the couch, leaning down to give Heather a tight hug. “You too, kiddo. I’ll see you in the morning. It’s gonna be a madhouse for dinner tomorrow, so let Jen know that I’ll run over to help carry if they’d rather not drive.”

“I will.” She arched a brow at him. “Rumor has it she’s planning on her special pumpkin spice pancakes for breakfast. She probably wouldn’t mind at all if there was an extra at the table. Or if you stayed to keep her company in the kitchen. Just saying.”

“We’ll see.” Checking his watch, he let out a sigh. “It’s getting late. I’d better get back.”

“All right.” Heather’s eyes widened when she saw that the movie was in its final scenes. “Oh, wait! You can’t miss the end of this.”

“Okay.” Turning to face the TV, he tilted his head and watched the token happy ending. “That was … predictable.”

“Seriously? 'I love you back'?” Shaking her head, she laughed quietly. “You miss the point, but you’re a guy, so I don’t guess I can hold it against you.”

“Right.” His brow furrowed. “What am I missing, exactly?”

“Anybody can say 'I love you, too'. It’s almost an automatic response, with no thought required.” Heather leaned back on the couch, pulling the blanket higher. “It’s like saying 'I love you, also' or 'I love you as well'. You should just add a shrug when you say it. But 'I love you back' … that means more. It means you understand exactly what a person feels for you, and you return that emotion equally. There’s no question about how to take it, no room for confusion.” With a smile, she looked up at him. “One of these days, I want to find my Jack, and I want him to love me back.”

“You’ll find him. And he won’t have a choice.” JC leaned down with a chuckle, kissing the top of her head. “But as big brother, I reserve beat down rights. Understood?”

“Yep.” Reaching for the remote, she clicked off the TV and snuggled down into her pillows. “Be careful going back.”

“Yeah. Lock up behind me, okay?” He waited until she was up, following him to the door. “Sleep well, H.”

“I will.” She winked at him as he walked out into the night. “Probably not as well as Jenny, though.”

“Oh, shut up.” Rolling his eyes, he blushed slightly and jogged down the stairs, grabbing up the quilt and thermos before heading for home.

----------------------------------------

December 23, 1997

“Hi, Aunt Karen!” Jen pushed through the back door carefully, balancing two covered baking dishes and a stack of large plastic containers. “How’s it going?”

“Hi, honey. It’s going all right.” Leaving the stove, Karen came over to relieve Jen of a few bowls. “Now that all the men are out of my hair, I can breathe. I love it when some of the cousins show up early, but I swear, if one of those boys tried to steal one more cookie, I was going to kill them all. Christmas in prison, 1997.”

“It wouldn’t have stood up in court. Thievery of Christmas cookies should be punishable by death.” They both laughed as Jen set her dishes on the table. “I have a few more things back at the house.”

“Jenny, you didn’t have to do so much.”

“Well, we knew it was the first time you’d had a full house on the night of the Holiday House, so Mom and I thought we could combine houses. We’re going to leave the house decorations lit, but there’s a friendly note on the door directing any visitors here. Mac offered to carry over another table if we need more room for the food.”

“That’s probably a good idea. Between the two of us, I think we’ll need it.” Karen took a deep breath. “The boys can take the dining room chairs to one of the bedrooms when they get back, and we’ll push the table against the wall. One table for the regular appetizers, one table for the desserts.”

“Okay. I’ll let him know when I go back.”

“Speaking of, how are the newlyweds doing?”

“Fantastic. It was a good idea for them to just go before a Justice of the Peace to have it done. Neither of them really wanted a ceremony, anyway. I can tell they’re really happy, but it’s a little strange with us all being up here together. I feel like I’m butting in, so I keep telling them to go do stuff and not worry about me.” With a laugh, she shook her head. “And it’s kind of weird not seeing Mom’s stuff around my house. We’ll all have to adjust a little bit, I suppose.”

“It’ll be fine, sweetie. You’ll handle it just like you handle everything else, making it fit perfectly into your world.”

“Yeah, I guess.” Sorting through containers, she picked up a dish and moved toward the fridge. “I brought my chocolate peppermint poke cake, and it’ll need to stay cold until ready to serve. The other large dish is peanut butter bars, so they’ll be okay to sit out.” Looking through the side of two large bowls, she carried them to the fridge as well. “Ham and chicken salads. I didn’t know if you’d rather they be on sandwiches or with crackers, but I’ve got a few boxes of crackers if we need them. There’s a batch of fudge brownies and a big bowl of party mix ready to come over, the sausage balls are baking as we speak, and I have a couple pans of twice baked potato wedges that I’ll bring over here for their second heating, if you don’t care.”

“Oh, my Lord. Is it okay if I pray for leftovers?”

“You can if you want, but it’s not necessary.” Jen sent her a grin. “I always make double and triple portions the week of Christmas, so we don’t have to worry about cooking for anything but our brunch tomorrow.” The older woman let out a sigh at the mention of the next day’s highly anticipated meal. “There’s extra of everything except the cake back at the house. Anything you want, you’re welcome to.” With a quiet laugh, she looked around the room. “Where did you banish the guys to?”

“They all loaded up and went to the movies over an hour ago. Apparently, the new James Bond was released this week. Thank God.” Karen turned back to stir the pot on the stove. “Heather’s in the dining room, putting the extender in the table and making sure it looks nice.”

“Great. Then everybody’s out of ear shot.” Picking up a smaller bowl, she moved close to Karen and lowered her voice. “I made these especially for you, so hide them away before they get back and don’t even think about sharing them.”

“You didn’t.” Eyes widened as she studied the bowl. “Really?”

“Snowball cookies. With extra pecans.” Jen gave her a quick hug. “Just the way you like them.”

“My sweet girl … you’ve made my day.” Karen laughed, opening the bowl and picking out one of the cookies, groaning as she chewed. “I can never get these just right, but yours are perfect every time.”

“It’s all good, because I think I smell your slow cooker barbecue meatballs, don’t I?” Brown eyes closed as she sniffed deeply. “And … are those bacon wrapped smokies, too?”

“You guess right.” Snapping the lid back in place, Karen reached up to slide the bowl into the cabinet with her baking goods. “The pigs in a blanket should be just about done. I’ve got four different kinds of Christmas cookies ready, an orange pound cake sliced, veggie and cheese trays put together, and a bowl of fruit salad mixed.” Checking the oven, she nodded. “A few more minutes. I’ll brush the bread knots with garlic butter and hold them in the fridge until right before time. If you want to heat the potato wedges here, go ahead and bring them over.”

“I’ll go get them. They’ll probably take about forty-five minutes. Is that okay?”

“It’s five thirty now, and we’re supposed to be ready by seven. The knots will only take about ten minutes and the oven will already be heated.” Doing quick math, Karen nodded. “That should work out perfectly.”

“Great. If you don’t need your stove for anything else, would you like me to get some hot chocolate started when I get back?” Jen reached for the door handle. “Or maybe some cider? Or both?”

“Both sound wonderful. Do you care?”

“Not at all. Mom and Mac should be about ready to head this way, so I’ll get them to help me carry the table and the rest of the food. They’ll be able to help finish setting up. Once I get the drinks simmering, I should have enough time to run back home and get myself ready.”

“I knew I should’ve tried harder to convince Lisa to let me have you when you were little. I brought it up, but she wasn’t having it.” With a laugh, Karen waved her out the door, watching as she jogged across the backyard and down the trail through the woods. “If that boy of mine screws this up, I’ll disown him.”

*********************

“Come on in, Mr. and Mrs. Akins. Merry Christmas.” JC held the door for the elderly couple who lived around the block, smiling as they returned his holiday greeting. “There’s a great spread in the dining room if you’re hungry.” Closing the door behind him, he walked down the hallway, nodding a hello to faces he recognized from various houses in the neighborhood. Locating Heather in the kitchen, he draped an arm over her shoulders. “Hey, sis. Seen Jen around?”

“Not yet. It’s only seven thirty and she was late leaving to get ready. She’ll probably be here soon.” She looked up at him with a knowing smile. “Why? Missing her?”

“Something like that, yeah.” He nudged her in the ribs, then reached out to grab a sausage ball from the platter she was working on. “Mmm. Those are good.”

“Aren’t they? Jenny brought them. I need to corner her and see if she’ll share some recipes.” Going back to filling the platter, she tilted her head. “Did you get a look at her new photo wall? You didn’t mention it.”

“Yeah, I did. The Art folks did a great job on the painting.”

“And what about those lyrics? I hope she gets a full song out of them.”

“Me, too.”

During the renovations of her house, Jen had removed the bookcases from her practice area, combining all her files and journals into the storage space in her newly expanded office, and installed a removable panel over the largest solid wall. Students from the Art department at school had been happy to create a watercolor effect on the panel and walls, clouds of soft pastel colors flowing all the way around and down the wall created by the staircase, whimsical musical notations and colorful butterflies serving as accents. In the very middle of the panel, someone had painted the words If not with you, then for you, my love in a sweeping black script, creating a centerpiece for her to arrange her favorite photos around. Everyone in her 'family'was included – Lisa and Mac; her dad and grandmother; his parents, Heather and Ty; all of the guys, Diane and Lynn; Lonnie, Kenny and Tiny; Maggie, Brian and her school friends; the Fatones; Matt, Amber and Chloe; Tessa, Shan and their boys; the kids from the Community Center – all scattered in frames on the wall.

But what had made him smile were the largest images she’d hung: a photo of them laughing on the swings at school when they were young, one of her prom photos and the photo Diane had taken of them at Pleasure Island. He’d run his fingers over the frames, then pulled her to his side, kissing the top of her head. She’d looked up at him with a smile, then let her eyes drop to the words in the middle before explaining: “These are all the people I love. Some have already left me, some can’t be with me all the time, and there’s coming a time when I won’t be able to be with others. I figure that if I can’t be with them, then I can make sure to live my best life for them, try to make them proud.”

“I had a blast helping her sort out all those photos. She even let me pick the one of us.” Heather’s voice cut into his thoughts, her smile carrying in her tone. “We had the best time when I got to visit at the end of the summer. Only thing is, when Ty went during Spring Break, he got to go see her work in the studio for a while. He said it was awesome, and I want to be able to do that, too.” Her eyes came up to him. “Do you think it’d be okay if I went down during Spring Break next year?”

“I’m sure she’d be happy to have you anytime, H. Just ask her and y’all can work it out.” Plucking another snack from the platter, he gave her a quick squeeze. “If you see her first, tell her I’m looking for her, okay?”

“Okay.”

They went separate ways, she going out the door that led to the dining room, he heading out the other side and into the living room. Not many people were mingling in this area yet, so he walked across the room, leaning against the doorframe so that he’d be sure to see Jen when she arrived. He hadn’t been there long when a hand touched his shoulder softly.

“Well, if it isn’t Josh Chasez.”

“Hey.” He turned, his eyes widening in surprise at the tall blonde standing before him, a smile curving her lips. “Candice? Candice Patterson?”

“I know, right? It’s been a long time.” She laughed, moving forward to give him a hug. “Last time I saw you in person, we were in the seventh grade.” Green eyes met his, bright with humor. “Then you were all over the Disney Channel for a while. I figured you’d be in Hollywood by now.”

“Well, Hollywood’s not really the goal, but I guess you could say it’s a work in progress.”

“They changed your name, though, didn’t they?” Her brow scrunched as she tried to remember. “Do they call you JC now?”

“Pretty much, yeah.” He smiled, tilting his head toward the living room. “Want to sit for a while? It’s just a drop-in thing, but it’s a little less crowded in here.”

“Sure.” She followed him toward the loveseat, smiling as she sat down. “It’s been nearly ten years, but I still knew exactly who you were.”

“You’ve changed a bit, too.” The size of the chair had them sitting closely together, and he had to lean back to take in the form-fitting white sweater dress she was wearing. “I think it’s the hair and the eyes that give you away. I don’t remember you living in this neighborhood, though. Did you move back?”

“No, not me.” Shaking her head, she twisted to better face him, her leg pressing more tightly against his. “I got my degree in Cosmetology from Santa Monica College in Santa Barbara and became a hair and makeup artist for one of the studios in California. That’s my home base now. My parents moved back a few years ago and bought a house around the next block. I’m just visiting for Christmas.”

“Awesome. Yeah, I’m visiting, too. I’ve been in Sweden and Germany for about two years, but now Orlando is home. The group I’m in just got signed to RCA records, so we’re transitioning into the American market.”

“Ah, the work in progress, right?”

“Yep. We’ve got a lot of work to do, but we’ll get there.”

“Good luck.” She leaned into him, her hand resting on his leg. “Maybe one day soon we’ll be hearing you on the radio.”

“That’s what we’re hoping for.” He shifted in the seat, stretching his arm out behind her shoulders to get more comfortable. “We’ll see how it goes.”

“I know I left before middle school, but how did it go after I moved? Do you keep in touch with anybody?”

“Not too many of them are still around, but every now and again a few of the old crew gets together …”

 

 

Twenty Three by Renee

 

Jen released a deep breath when she finally let herself in the front door, smiling at the warmth of the Chasez house. The smells of cider and chocolate hung in the air, creating a welcoming feel that the entire neighborhood seemed to be enjoying. Glancing down at her watch, she sighed when she saw that it was a quarter to eight. Well, I guess fashionably late is better than not at all.

She nodded and smiled at a few of her neighbors as she removed her coat and hung it on the rack in the hallway. Straightening her sparkling red blouse over her black dress pants, she fluffed her curled hair out of her collar and made sure her necklace was free of her shirt before turning to head through the living room toward the kitchen. Her smile became a grin when she heard JC’s laughter, then she froze when the crowd separated enough to reveal the blonde he was talking to. She couldn’t look away when he leaned close to hear what she was saying, his arm around her, a grin brightening his features while her hand rubbed over his thigh. The blonde returned his smile, then let her fingers squeeze his leg as she scooted closer, pressing herself against him, obviously enjoying the coziness of the loveseat.

Echoes of old voices began bouncing around Jen’s mind, and she blinked, trying to think past them. Moving quickly through the room, she stepped into the kitchen and leaned against the counter, taking a deep breath. She’d known who the blonde was at first glance. Candice Patterson. The spoiled brat who’d treated him like trash at the sixth-grade prom. Only now, she was all grown up – tall, beautiful, tan and with the perfect figure. Totally camera-ready.

“Seriously, Jen? You really thought there was a chance he could want you?”

Pain streaked through her heart as the self-admonishment from years ago suddenly came flying to her, taking her breath as she fought back tears. Swallowing around the lump that was trying to form in her throat, she looked up when someone came in from the dining room. Seeing that it was Heather, she forced a smile and stepped away from the counter. “Hey, H. Can I help with anything?”

“It’s good to see you finally made it. You look fabulous, Jen. Definitely worth the wait.” Heather laughed, reaching into a cabinet for a small stack of plates. “And no, everything’s under control. After all the work you’ve done today, if Mom heard me asking you to help, she’d have my hide. Josh told me to let you know he was looking for you, though.”

“Yeah, I … uh, he’s a little busy right now.”

“Well, go get him. Whatever he’s doing can’t be all that important.”

“No, he’s having a good time and I don’t want to bother him. He knows I’m supposed to be here. If he wants to see me, he’ll come find me.”

“Okay.” The younger girl gave her an odd look before heading back out of the kitchen. “Well, come on, then. There’s food to eat, you know.”

For the next two hours or more, she floated around the house, chatting with various neighbors, cutting up with Ty and Heather, and laughing with Aaron and Shane, two of the Chasez cousins. Every now and again, she’d pass through the living room, trying not to let the pair on the loveseat get to her. But even as she kept herself together, the nagging little voice at the back of her mind pointed out that she’d walked directly past him at least five times and he hadn’t even acknowledged her. No smile, no hello, no wave … not even a blip of recognition.

She’d just made her way into the kitchen to help pack up the leftovers when Ty came up beside her. “Are you okay, Jen? You’ve been … different tonight.”

“I’m fine.” Her lips tilted up in a ghost of a smile. “It’s just been a long day and I’m tired.”

“Uh huh.” He studied her for a moment, his eyes narrowing on her face. “Any particular reason why you’re avoiding my brother?”

“Have you seen your brother? He’s been preoccupied.” With a sigh, she looked over at him. “I haven’t been avoiding him at all. I’ve been all over this house tonight, I’ve gone through your living room at least five times, and he’s obviously enjoying the company he’s found.” She bumped him with her shoulder. “He’s allowed to spend his time with whoever he wants, you know. It’s okay, Ty.”

“No, it’s not.” His brow furrowed. “Who is she, anyway?”

“Candice Patterson. We knew her in grade school.”

“And she’s so interesting now because …?”

“Well, she was his first crush. His first date, really. She grew up very nicely. And apparently, they’ve got a lot to say to each other.” Shrugging, she reached for a bowl on the counter. “Her parents live on the next block, so she’s probably visiting for the holidays.” Picking up the mug she’d been using earlier, she drained the last of her hot chocolate and held the bowl out to him. “How about we get to helping with the clean up? Take this to your mom for her leftover meatballs, okay?”

Ty still didn’t look happy as he obeyed, shaking his head as he left the room. Closing her eyes, she took a steadying breath before heading for the living room to see if there was anything that needed to be picked up. As she stepped into the doorway, she came to a sudden halt when she saw Candice moving close to JC in the front hallway, leaning forward to rest her hands on his waist and give him a lingering kiss on the lips, then moved over to kiss him again just at the corner of his mouth. He didn’t object, didn’t push her away, and when the blonde stepped back to smile at him, there was a red lipstick imprint on his skin.

Look at yourself, stupid … he pretty much came straight out and said you couldn’t have him. He’s one of a kind, remember? You’re a dime a dozen, girl. Nothing special. Totally unremarkable. You can still love him, but it’ll never be what you were stupid enough to hope for. Accept that you’ll never be enough for him and move on.”

All those words from that far away summer came rushing back, Luke’s relentless belittling mixing with her own thoughts as they rang in her ears anew. The pain from before returned ten-fold, throbbing through every inch of her body. Suddenly, she felt as if she couldn’t breathe, as if she were drowning in the loud voices screaming through her head. Turning quickly, Jen hurried toward the back door of the house, blinking away the tears that were beginning to blur her vision.

As she was about to reach the door, Aaron came into the kitchen, skidding to a stop as she flew by him. Reaching out, he grabbed her arm. “Whoa, Jen. What’s the hurry?”

“I-I just really need to get home.” She sniffled, refusing to look at him. “It’s been a long day, and I need a break.”

“Okay.” He pulled her around, his eyes widening at the distress in her face. “Hey, now, it’s okay. Don’t you want your coat?”

“N-no.” Just the thought of retrieving her coat from the hallway had a tear streaming down her cheek. “I’m fine. I’ll pick it up tomorrow.”

“Okay, okay.” Not letting her go, he reached to the hooks beside the door, taking down a flannel coat. “Here, take mine. I’m gonna walk with you, all right? I don’t want you taking that path in the dark by yourself.” She nodded, sliding her arms into the sleeves as he draped the coat around her. “Do you need anything else?”

“No. Just take me home. Please.”

“All right, Jenny. Come on.” He opened the door for her, letting her pass through ahead of him, his worried eyes meeting Heather’s before following her onto the back porch. By the time they reached the woods, she was sniffling repeatedly and clearing her throat. He let his hand settle on her shoulder. “Do you wanna talk about it?”

“There’s nothing to talk about. We were never official, so he’s free to do whatever he wants.” She shrugged. “I just wasn’t expecting … I-I guess I never considered that I’d have to see him doing whatever he wants.”

“You were never official? With Josh?”

“Yeah.” With a small smile, she looked up at him. “When he left for Sweden, he asked me to wait for him. That’s what I wanted, so I did.”

“You waited for him?”

“Uh huh.” She sniffled again. “I still am. Or was. Whatever.”

“You’re still waiting for him?” His tone was confused. “But he’s back now. Why are you still having to wait for him?”

“I’ve got another year of school and he’s thinking they’ll be travelling a lot to get the album redone.” Shaking her head, she laughed softly. “He has this idea that just because he’s not physically with me, he can’t be there for me. I understand that, because I want to be able to be with him, too.” A deep sigh escaped. “But really, we never put labels on anything, and I’ve been trying my best not to expect more from him. We’ve never even been on an actual date, for God’s sake. There’s no reason for me to be this upset.”

“You can be as upset as you want.” Aaron let his arm wrap around her shoulders, pulling her into his side. “You love the guy, and he’s done something that hurts you. You’re allowed a few tears, Jen.”

“I know it’s stupid, but I want to be his. And until tonight, I was hoping that maybe he wanted to be mine, too.” They broke through the trees into her side yard, and she took a deep, shaky breath. “It kind of says a lot when tall, gorgeous and camera-ready walks in and suddenly he can’t see anything else. I mean, I’ve always known I’m not his type, that I’d probably never be more than just one of the guys, but I couldn’t help wishing …” Teary brown eyes came up to meet his. “She’s my exact opposite, Aaron. How am I supposed to compete with that?”

“You don’t have to. You’re the most beautiful girl any of us have ever seen. I still have that issue of People with you on the cover to prove it.” He hugged her to his chest, letting her sniffle again. “Josh was the first one to see it, so I’m not sure what happened tonight.” Setting her away from him, he gave her a reassuring smile and kissed her cheek. “Like you said, it’s been a really long day, so why don’t you head on in and get to bed? It’ll look better in the morning, I promise.”

“Tell Aunt Karen she can keep any of the leftovers she wants.” Her brow furrowed. “And if Josh bothers to ask, just tell him I was tired and I’ll see him tomorrow.”

“Okay, I will.” Following her up onto the back porch, he made sure she made it inside, sending her a grin when she passed his coat to him. “I’ll see you at brunch, okay?”

“Yeah. Thanks, Aaron.”

“No problem.” He waited until he’d heard her lock the door, then made quick tracks back the way they’d come, fighting down the panic beginning to claw at his spine.

*********************

“Oh, wow.” Candice looked down at her watch, then smiled at him. “It’s nearly ten thirty. What time was this supposed to end?”

“About half an hour ago.” Shaking his head, JC checked his own watch to be sure, then glanced around at the empty room. “That’s crazy.”

“I know. I should probably go.” She patted his leg again, then stood, arching her brows at him. “Walk me out?”

“Sure.” Getting to his feet, he followed her into the hallway, never noticing her glance up at the mistletoe hanging in the doorway. “Did you have a coat?”

“Nope.” Turning to him, she stepped close, her hands coming to his waist as she leaned in and kissed him. He froze, not responding, and she moved from his lips to the corner of his mouth before backing away. “I think that should probably help me get home.” Smiling, she slipped her fingers into the pocket of her dress and pulled out a small wallet. Retrieving a card, she reached up and slid it into the chest pocket of his dress shirt. “If you’re ever in California, you should look me up. I think we could probably have a great time.”

“Yeah, I don’t think so.” He turned, following her to the door as he pulled the card back out and handed it to her. “Sorry.”

“Really?” Green eyes sharpened on him. “I thought we did pretty well tonight. Why not?”

“Because …” His gaze fell on the coat hanging on the rack in the hall, and his heart stopped in his chest. “Jenny.”

“Jenny?” Her tone colored in disbelief. “The mousy brunette who used to follow you around everywhere?”

“She didn’t follow me around. She was my best friend.” Swallowing hard, he turned to look back down the hallway. “She still is. More than my friend, actually.”

“I don’t believe it.” Candice let out a brief laugh. “The girl in the sparkly red blouse, right? I saw her walk by a few times, but I never put it together. As long as she stayed, I thought she might’ve been a cousin or something.” She reached for the door. “Too bad she never had a growth spurt. If she were taller, maybe a little thinner, she might be able to pass for being in the business. Great taste in clothes, though. That outfit was doing her all kinds of favors.”

“You saw her?” His head whipped back around, his eyes intense. “When?”

“She was in and out of the room all night. If I’d known …” With a shrug, she pulled the door open. “I’m sorry.”

“Right. And for the record, Jen is perfect just the way she is.” Sighing, he held the door for her. “Merry Christmas, Candice. Enjoy your visit with your parents.”

“I will. You, too.” And she was gone, blonde hair swinging around her shoulders as she went down the stairs and front walk, crossing the street to move quickly along the sidewalk.

Fantastic. Just come in and wreak havoc, then walk away.” Groaning loudly, he closed the door, then grabbed Jen’s coat and headed toward the dining room. Heather and Ty were there, gathering the leftover food into containers, as Karen’s voice came from the kitchen, instructing them on where things needed to go. “Where is she? Please tell me she’s still here.”

“Sorry, bro.” Ty sent a quick, uncharacteristic glare his direction, then headed for the kitchen. “You’re about five minutes too late.”

Damn.” His grip tightened on the coat as he swore, turning his eyes to Heather. “Did she go home?”

“Yeah.” There was a measure of disappointment in her expression, making him feel even lower. “Lisa and Mac had already left, and she was pretty upset, so Aaron walked her back. I don’t really blame her.” Shaking her head, she let out a sigh. “What were you thinking, Josh?”

“I wasn’t. Obviously.” Running a hand through his hair, he growled under his breath. “How bad was it?”

“You tell me.” Heather propped her hip against the table, crossing her arms over her chest. “She was in and out of that room at least five times over the last two hours, she walked right by you, and you were so caught up in Tall Blonde that you didn’t even look at her.” She moved to him, her thumb coming up to rub over his skin, showing him the lipstick left behind. “Add this to all that, and I can imagine it’s probably as bad as you think.”

“Why didn’t she just say something?” He shook his head, letting out a deep sigh. “All she had to do was let me know she was here, and none of this would’ve happened.”

“If you’d really been waiting for her, you’d have known the exact second she came in the door. She shouldn’t have had to say anything.”

“But …”

“But nothing.” Heather barreled over his protest, eyes flashing. “Besides, by the time she got here, you were already … how did she put it? Preoccupied. She saw you were having a good time and didn’t want to bother you, said you’d come find her if you wanted to see her. But you didn’t.” She arched a brow at him, wiping her thumb on a napkin. “I went through there, too, you know. Did you have to take the loveseat? I know for a fact that when whoever she was got here, there was nobody in there. You could’ve gone to the couch, or the chairs on either side of the fireplace. Hell, Josh, you could’ve sat on the floor. Anywhere but the loveseat. If I was Jen, I wouldn’t have wanted to interrupt you, either. You two were all against each other, your arm around her, her hand on your leg. Really cozy. And you weren’t exactly suffering, were you?”

“Oh, my God.” The coat dropped to the floor, his hands coming up to cover his face. “This is a nightmare.”

“Well, that’s not how you felt fifteen minutes ago.” With a sad smile, Heather turned back to clearing the table. “Jenny looked gorgeous tonight. I wish you’d gotten to see her.” She sent a quick glance his direction. “You two would’ve made a perfect Christmas card.”

“I’ve gotta go.” Leaning down to pick up Jen’s coat, he started toward the kitchen, ignoring the curious look on Karen’s face as he quickly moved to the back door. Just as he was getting there, the door flew open, narrowly missing him as Aaron stepped back inside. “Hey. Is Jen …”

“You need to come with me. Right now.” Grabbing JC’s arm, Aaron dragged him back through the kitchen and into the living room. “What the hell happened here tonight?”

“Nothing good. And it’s all my fault.”

“You bet your ass it is.” Aaron shook his head, staring at him. “This is bad, Josh. Really bad.”

“That’s why I need to go talk to her.” JC tried to move past, only to have his cousin pull him to a halt. “Let me go, Aaron.”

“She’s not ready to see you right now. You’re gonna have to give her some time.” Heaving a sigh, Aaron steered him toward the couch, pushing him down. “Talk to me. Who was the blonde?”

“Candice Patterson.”

“Okay.” Aaron’s eyes narrowed in recognition as he sat down. “Why do I know that name?”

“She’s the girl I took to the sixth-grade prom.”

“The one who pretty much ignored you once you got there? Seriously?” At JC’s nod, he furrowed his brow. “So, why all the attention tonight?”

“It threw me that she was even here. We were just catching up, that’s all.” JC leaned back, his head resting on the cushions. “She moved when we were in middle school, so she was asking about people who were in our class and telling me about her work in California.” With a quiet laugh, he shook his head. “The kicker is, I never would’ve taken her to that dance in the first place if it wasn’t for Jenny.”

“What do you mean?”

“The week of the prom, we were playing baseball in the Lawson’s front yard, and I accidentally broke their living room window.” His brow creased at the memory. “She took the blame so I wouldn’t end up grounded, because she knew how badly I wanted to go. Jen missed out on the dance and gave up over a year’s worth of savings to repair the damage.”

“Hell, Josh.”

“I know. She never would let me pay her back, but I’ve never forgotten it. One day, I’m going to make it up to her.” Blue eyes came over to meet brown. “I think her dad knew the truth, but he never did tell me so.” A slight smile settled over his features. “The best part was when I stole a tape of the music from the teacher’s lounge and hauled my boombox over to Jen’s house after I got back home. Those things didn’t run too late, and since she couldn’t go to the dance, I brought it to her backyard. I think we danced out there until about midnight.”

“You rebel.” Aaron laughed, a suspicious smile forming. “What was she wearing?”

“She was in her pajamas – these pants that had frogs all over them and a black shirt – and sneakers, her hair in a ponytail.”

“Hmm. Okay.” Tilting his head, his smile became a grin. “And what was Candice wearing when you picked her up?”

“I have no idea. A dress, I’m sure.” Confusion colored JC’s tone. “Why?”

“No reason. Just trying to see how far back this thing goes.”

“What?”

“Josh, you remember exactly what Jen was wearing from a night over ten years ago, down to the pattern of her pajama pants.”

“It’s a great memory.”

“Let’s try something else. What did your first girlfriend wear on your first date?”

“No clue.”

“What was your first girlfriend’s name?”

“Umm … Amanda, maybe.”

“What was Jen wearing the first day you met her?”

“Blue jeans and a Smurfs shirt.” The answer was immediate, his eyes widening. “My God.”

“Uh huh. See what I mean?” Aaron bit back another laugh. “You said that Jen helped you pack when you were going to Florida for the Club thing, right?”

“Yeah, she got here in time to straighten me out.”

“I’ll bet you can tell me what she had on then, too.”

“Jeans, sneakers, a white shirt and her dad’s bracelet when she first came in. Before she left, I had the bracelet and she had my blue and green flannel shirt.” JC smiled at the memory. “She wore everything three sizes too big then, so her clothes swallowed her whole.” Taking a deep breath, he relaxed. “When they started sending us for photo shoots and stuff, I saw how often they’d be telling me what to wear, and I got scared that I’d lose the bracelet, so it’s in my keepsake box down in Florida. The shirt I gave her went to pieces last January, and I had to replace it with others. I think Maggie got creative and turned the biggest of the scraps into a vest for one of the teddy bears I gave her.”

“Who’s Maggie?”

“Jen’s housemate. They were supposed to be roommates at school, but then their dorm wound up literally falling to pieces, so Jen bought the house and offered Maggie a room. They became really fast friends. She’s fantastic, the best thing that could’ve happened for Jenny.” He nudged Aaron in the side. “You really need to come down for a visit sometime. Maggie’s taken, but you’d be amazed at how well Jen networks down there.”

“I’ll think about it. A vacation might be nice next year.” Aaron cleared his throat. “But now I think I understand this whole thing a little better.”

“What do you mean?”

“Josh, the two of you have been dancing around each other since you were eleven. Maybe even before then.” He paused, considering his next words. “I don’t know … how much did she tell you about that guy she dated in high school?”

“Luke?” Just the name left a bad taste in JC’s mouth. “She didn’t say much. Just that he was a jerk who cheated on her and dumped her right before prom. Why?”

“It … man, it wasn’t good. He was a complete jackass from the start, but you know how Jen is. She was in, so she was stubborn about seeing it through. When it ended, she tried to play it off like it was just a breakup, and she’d get over it. But I saw how he treated her, heard how he spoke to her, and I’d be surprised if she’s not still carrying some baggage.”

“I knew I should’ve laid him out when I had the chance.”

“Yeah, I’d say there were a few of us with that same sentiment.” Heaving a sigh, Aaron clapped a hand over JC’s shoulder. “It wasn’t healthy, and she started having some pretty rough ideas about herself. And now she’s in whatever this is with you, still trying to deal with the aftermath of that mess. It looks like you guys could be headed for something serious, and I’m afraid she thinks she’s further in than you are. But that’s not true is it?” When JC shook his head, he gave a satisfied smile. “I thought so. You need to lay all your cards out there and make sure she knows where you stand.”

“But I have …”

“No, you haven’t. If she took seeing you with Candice this badly, then she’s still flying blind.” The smile dropped off his face as he shook his head. “I’ve never seen her like that, man. Even when the jerk was tearing her down, she kept her chin up. The Jen I know is all happy smiles and magic. Not that sad thing I just walked home, trying her best to keep from falling apart in front of me.” Clearing his throat, he let his eyes meet JC’s. “And never in a million years did I think you’d be the one breaking her heart.”

Damn it.” JC leaned forward, his elbows propping on his knees and his face in his hands. “She really doesn’t want to see me right now, does she?”

“I never said she didn’t want to see you. I said she wasn’t ready to see you.” Aaron laughed quietly. “She just needs a little time. Like, maybe a couple hours. Do not let this wait until morning, Cuz.”

“Really?” Hope lifted JC’s tone as he looked over at Aaron. “You think so?”

“I’m pretty sure I know so. Give her a few to calm down, come up with a plan, then go groveling. Try to get her to open up about Luke, because you need to have an idea of what she’s gone through before you can figure out the best way to help her in the future.” Socking JC on the shoulder, he arched an eyebrow. “And wash that junk off your face. You look like a horror movie clown.”

“Thanks, Aaron.” With a laugh, JC got up. “Really. Thanks for watching out for her.”

“Don’t forget that you need to be completely honest with her. You may not be ready to tell her you’re in love with her, but don’t let her doubt that you want her and only her. I’m having a hard time understanding why you aren’t jumping at the chance to date the girl, but it really doesn’t matter if I get it or not.” Aaron cleared his throat. “Facts are, whatever reason you’ve given her for it, she’s just taking it as lip service. She’s been trying to keep herself from expecting anything more from you, because she thinks she’s the only one waiting. In her mind, you’ve never made it official, so she’s got no right to be upset by something like what happened tonight. She wants to be yours but feels like an idiot for hoping that you might want to be hers. We all know Jen is perfect for you, but she’s convinced herself that she’s nothing like what you’re looking for. You need to make sure she knows it’s not true. Tell her flat out that you aren’t looking for anyone else, because knowing she’s at the end of the line is better than anything else you might find.”

“Right.” Nodding, JC began walking toward the hallway. “Thanks, man.”

“Hey, Josh?” Aaron waited until he turned to look at him. “When you look at her, what are the first three words that come to you?”

“That’s easy. Home.” JC smiled. “Wow.” A blush tinted his cheeks. “And mine.”

“Well, I guess you’re almost there, then.”

“Almost there?” Blue eyes narrowed. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

Home and wow are fine, but one day, you’ll worry less that she’s yours and become more concerned with being hers.” A grin lit Aaron’s features. “When that happens, you’ll know it’s time to drop the waiting shit and pull out all the stops: labels, words, candle lit dinner, jewelry, flowers …”

“She’d rather have stuffed animals than flowers.”

“Then go buy one of those big ass bears from FAO Schwarz and pray it doesn’t catch fire.” He snorted out a laugh. “However you do it, do it big, man. She’s waited a long time for it – for you – so make sure it’s worth her trouble.” His brow arched again. “For tonight, though, an apology would be a good start. Just be creative with it.”

“Oh, I’m already working on it.” With a nod, JC left the room, moving quickly down the hallway and up the stairs toward his bedroom.

*********************

“Jenny?” She looked up from her journal, trying to smile when Mac came into the living room, running his fingers through his hair with a yawn. “It’s kind of late, isn’t it? What are you doing?”

“Nothing.” Jen gestured to the glowing gas fireplace. “Just working on some stuff. Having some cider by the fire. Trying to relax. It’s been a long day.”

“Okay.” He sat down on the couch across from her, watching her take a drink from her mug. “Are you sure that’s all? You looked upset when you came in earlier.”

“It’s fine. No big deal.” Swallowing hard, she tried to fight back the tears that were threatening once again. “Nothing I can’t handle.”

“Something tells me that you try to ‘handle’ a lot more than you should.” Mac studied her carefully. “It’s JC, isn’t it? What happened?” His eyes narrowed. “Did something happen with the blonde from tonight?”

“You don’t miss anything, do you?” She let out a soft laugh, pushing a few stray hairs out of her face and pulling her feet up into the chair next to her. “So you saw them, too?”

“They were in the middle of the living room. Kind of hard to miss.” His head tilted as he tried to see through to her thoughts. “What bothers you about it?”

“How about I walked right by him and he didn’t even see me, let alone speak to me?” A sigh lifted her shoulders. “I mean, I know I was late, but a ‘Hey, glad you made it’ would’ve been nice. He didn’t have to ignore me completely.”

“Well, did you say anything to him?”

“I didn’t want to butt in. You don’t get to rekindle things with your first crush every day, you know.”

Rekindle things?” He covered his laugh with a cough. “He was talking to her, not going at her in front of God and everybody.”

“I-I know.” Her teeth worked over her lip. “It’s just … did you see her? She’s gorgeous. I saw them together, and it hit me that he chose her then, and he’d be an idiot not to choose her now. Nothing’s changed, Mac. I didn’t measure up when we were kids, and it really nags at me that we’ve grown up and I still don’t have anything to tip the scales in my favor.”

“Jenny, sweetheart, come here.” His hand patted the cushion next to him, and she stood, letting her journal fall into her vacated seat and crossing the room to drop down beside him. With a smile, he put his arm around her, hugging her to his side. “I never had children, so you’re going to have to forgive me for my lack of paternal experience, but here goes. You don’t need to tip the scales, because you’ve already got him. I knew it from the first time I saw you two together.”

“Y-you think so?” Insecurity was obvious in her tone, her brows bunching as she looked up at him. “Really?”

“When he showed up here Thanksgiving morning, I thought I saw it. Then he stayed with you in that kitchen all day, completely clueless but doing whatever you asked him to, looking at you as if he needed you to keep breathing, and I knew he was in deep.” Shaking his head, he let out a sigh. “I get the feeling you haven’t been in very many relationships. Am I right?”

“Yeah. There was one guy in high school that I dated for a few months. It wasn’t good for me, he tore me down all the time, and when I found out he’d been cheating on me, he made sure I knew exactly why he decided to dump me. I tried to just play it off as one of those things that I needed to drop and move on from, but I think he left behind more damage than I expected.” She cleared her throat. “It’s been so long, but I still have the hardest time seeing myself as someone that anybody would actually want to be with.” Her shoulder shrugged against him. “There were a few random guys at the junior college I went to, but they didn’t amount to much. And then there’s this thing with Josh.”

This thing? That’s how you think of it?”

“Well, yeah. We’re not together. He’s never really asked me out or put a name to it or anything.” She rested her head against his shoulder. “I think we’re more of a theory, a dream. What I wish would happen, but probably won’t. You know?”

“I think so.” Mac tightened his arm around her. “But tell me why you think it won’t happen.”

“Because why would he want me, when there are so many others who’d be better for him?” A lump began forming in her throat. “I’m not beautiful or smart or any of the things he should be looking for. I want him to have the very best, Mac, and not settle for me when I know he could have it.”

“Jen …”

“It’s stupid, really. I’ve always just been one of the guys, and part of me knows that’s all I’m ever going to be. But sometimes, I can’t help but wonder …” She barreled over him, lost in her thoughts. “Maggie and Heather have both told me that he looks at me in a way they wish they could have, but how could that be possible? He’s this incredible, special, wonderful guy, who should be with a girl who can be his match. The perfect, gorgeous, always camera-ready bombshell.” Drawing her feet up on the couch, she hugged her knees to her chest. “That’s not me at all. There’s nothing special about me, nothing that makes me unique. I’m just the best friend who’s been following him around since the first grade, refusing to let go of what I probably should’ve walked away from years ago. I’m a pint-sized piano player who can strum a guitar and somehow knows how to use words to my advantage. There’s a million girls out there just like me. Bland. Common. And totally not worth the effort.”

“Stop it.” His voice was sharp, almost angry. “Are you hearing yourself? Jen, you’re tearing yourself to shreds, trying to convince yourself of all the reasons why he shouldn’t be with you. But can you think of anything that would make you not want to be with him?”

“No. Never.” She shook her head. “He’s everything I’ve ever wanted.” It took a real effort to swallow past the misery beginning to choke her. “I-I love him, Mac. So much it hurts. But there’s no way he sees me as anything but the miserable, lonely girl he found sitting on that swing in grade school.”

“Listen to me. You’re one of the most beautiful people I’ve ever met – bested only by the woman I left sleeping upstairs – but your pretty face has absolutely nothing to do with why that boy loves you.” He turned to face her, his hands squeezing her shoulders. “Yes, you’re attractive and I’m sure he noticed that fairly early in the game, but Jen, that’s only the beginning. You have this spark that draws people in. Your heart shows in everything you do, every song you write … you don’t just share your gifts with the world, you give a little piece of yourself to everyone who comes around you. There’s something about you that makes people want to take care of you, make you smile and hear you laugh. And I have this sneaky suspicion that you’ve had him all wrapped up for far longer than either of you realize.”

“B-but they kissed. If he’s so hung up on me, then why would he do that?”

“He kissed her?” His eyes narrowed. “Are you sure?”

“I …” Her voice trailed off as she went back over the scene. “No. She kissed him.”

“Did he encourage it?”

“They were standing there, and she got close enough to touch him and kissed him. Twice.” She could feel him studying her as she concentrated on remembering. “He never moved, didn’t touch her. He didn’t … uh, respond like he normally would.” A blush began to spread on her cheeks. “You know what I mean.”

“Yeah, I know exactly what you mean.” Biting back a grin, he let his gaze meet hers. “For the record, I’d think him crazy if he hadn’t kissed you by now.”

“Oh, he’s definitely not crazy. Not for that, anyway.” A quiet laugh escaped before her face fell again. “There’s this voice in my head that keeps throwing out everything Luke used to hit me with, and I can’t get away from it. All it took was a couple weeks of him constantly talking down to me, and suddenly I was dressing myself down in the mirror, agreeing with everything he found wrong with me. Anytime I’m happy or confident, it just attacks me, making me admit that I’m not good enough for any of these amazing things that are happening for me. It’s always reminding me how I’m not anything close to what Josh needs.” A deep sigh lifted her shoulders. “When I found him with her, it started screaming at me, and I couldn’t ignore it. I was so upset by the time I saw her kiss him, I just had to walk away from everything.”

“Jen, I know Lisa saw a counselor after Steve died, but did you ever go with her?”

“No. She offered to take me, but I didn’t want to talk to anyone but Josh. And then I had my journals.”

“Well, thank God for that.” His hands came to her face, thumbs brushing over her cheeks. “How about after that bad relationship in high school? Did you talk to anyone after it ended?”

“I never thought about it.” She bit her lip. “I was so sure I’d get over it, I didn’t think I needed any help.”

“I think maybe you need to consider it. The counselor I went to after losing Ellie is still practicing. He may know of someone who deals with what you’re going through. Would you be willing to go if I found a therapist for you?”

“Yes. I’m so tired of not being able to get past this.”

“Okay. I’ll make some calls after the holidays and see what I can find. And I won’t tell your mother. That’s completely up to you.” His eyes softened as he looked at her. “I noticed early on how you’d make random comments to put yourself down, but I didn’t want to butt in. It breaks my heart to know that you think of yourself as anything less than this precious, beautiful girl in front of me. You’ve made such a difference in my life, and you’ve got so much magic in you that it just overflows to fill the room.”

“Thanks.” Watery brown eyes met his. “So much.”

“Anything for my Jenny.” Shaking his head with a laugh, he leaned down and kissed her forehead. “And yes, I’ve started thinking of you that way. I never would’ve been able to love Lisa like I do if I hadn’t loved you first. You worked your way in with your lyrics, decided you liked me enough to sign a contract, then turned my world upside down by introducing me to her. For the first time, I regretted not having a daughter, because I found myself wanting one just like you.”

“Mac …” A tear escaped to run down her cheek.

“I know you were a teenager when you lost your father, and that a girl really only gets one Daddy in her lifetime. But I hope you can trust me enough to take care of your mother for as long as she’ll let me.” His brow arched. “And maybe even let me try to watch out for you whenever I can, too.”

“If Dad could’ve picked someone for us, he would’ve chosen you.” She sniffled, going on her knees to wrap her arms around his neck tightly. “I love you, too, Mac. I’m so glad you’re ours.” He held her for a while, letting her cry into his shoulder. “I can’t imagine a better stepdad, and I’d love it if you thought of me as your daughter someday.”

“I already do.” Giving her a squeeze, he kissed the side of her head. “I have for a while.”

“Good.” With a shuddering breath, she straightened up, wiping the wetness from her cheeks as a smile broke across her face. “Okay. Enough of that. I need to get started if I’m going to have it ready in time.”

“Have it ready?” Mac watched as she slid from the couch and headed for the kitchen, getting up to follow her. “Have what ready?”

“Apology chocolate.” Jen sent him a grin as she flipped on the kitchen light and started assembling ingredients hurriedly. “With extra marshmallows, just in case.”

“You’re making hot chocolate?” His eyes widened in surprise. “Doesn’t that take an hour to simmer?”

“Yep. That’s why I need to hurry.”

“Jenny … it’s half past twelve. Are you really going to take him hot chocolate at one thirty?”

“Oh, I’m not taking it.” She mixed powders, milk and cream into a large pot, setting the heat on the stove to simmer. “He’s coming to it.”

“You’re inviting him over? If you call him now, you’re going to wake up their whole house.”

“No, I’m not calling.”

“Okay, I’m missing something.” He shook his head in confusion. “How …”

“Trust me. He’ll be here between one thirty and two.” Smiling eyes came up to him. “It’s too cold to take it outside, so we’ll have to stay in the living room. I promise we won’t keep you awake.” She couldn’t hold back a laugh at the way he was looking at her. “Just go with it. I’m spooky, remember?”

“That you are.” With a grin, he walked across the room to hug her. “Maybe while you’re having your apology chocolate, you should let him in on what’s been bothering you. I’m betting he has no clue, and he really needs to know.”

“I will. That’s why I’m making such a big pot. Luke has always been a sore spot with Josh, but the hot chocolate will keep him calm.” A thoughtful expression crossed her face. “I might should heat up a few brownies, too. Why not go all out?”

“Good girl.” Unable to hold back a yawn, he turned to head for the stairs. “I’ll leave you to it. Should I be surprised to find him here in the morning?”

“Nope. The entire Chasez clan comes over for Christmas Eve brunch. They’re usually here by eleven, we eat sometime around noon and then we just bounce back and forth between houses all day, playing games, watching movies and snacking on leftovers.” She winked as he looked back at her. “I’m making my special Christmas Eve breakfast casserole, biscuits with both regular and chocolate gravy, fried ham, loaded fried potatoes, scrambled eggs, sunshine muffins and a batch of fresh cinnamon rolls, so I doubt anybody will even notice if he ends up staying the night. Right?”

“Sold. ’Night, Jenny.”

“’Night.”

 

 

End Notes:

The holiday seems to have delayed this a bit, but here it is.  Hope all had a great Thanksgiving!  :-)

Chapter Twenty Four by Renee

 

Checking his bag one last time, JC pulled a hooded sweatshirt over his pajamas and left his bedroom, trying to be quiet as he made his way toward the stairs. He’d just about made it when the door at the end of the hall opened, Heather stepping out ahead of him. “Hey, H. Sorry if I woke you up.”

“You’re going to Jen’s, aren’t you?” She waited until he nodded, then smiled. “Good. Are we meeting you there in the morning?”

“Probably.” He shifted the bag on his shoulder, taking a deep breath. “If all goes well.”

“It’ll be fine, Josh.” Heather came to him for a hug. “I heard a little bit of what Aaron said earlier, and he’s exactly right. She’s gone through some really tough stuff and sometimes she can’t get away from it. I think you’re just what she needs right now.”

“Why wouldn’t she have told me?” His arms tightened around her as he whispered. “Why didn’t she let me help her?”

“Well, you weren’t here, and she didn’t want to bother you. You know how Jenny is. She’ll do anything to help anybody, but her problems are hers and nobody else’s.” Her hand patted his back. “She never said anything to us, either. Aaron just happened to be at the same restaurant Luke had taken her to and overheard their conversation. When he told Mom and Dad, I think Dad was about to go for his shotgun.”

“Good call.”

“Yeah, I thought so, too. But it ended not long after that, so the stupid bastard got away with it.” She sighed and turned toward her bedroom. “She told me back at Thanksgiving that being with you made her really happy. Go make her smile again, okay?”

“I’m gonna do my best.” With a smile, he leaned over and kissed her cheek. “’Night, H. I’ll see you in the morning.”

“Okay. Be careful. Tell Jen I’ll be there around nine to help out.” He’d already started down the stairs when she called out to him softly. “Hey, Josh?”

Stopping mid-step, he looked over his shoulder at her. “Yeah?”

“She also told me that whenever you hug her, she doesn’t want you to let her go.” Biting back a laugh, she moved to close her door. “Just thought you should know.”

“Thanks.” Waving a hand behind him, he went on down and through the kitchen, grabbing a flashlight from a drawer and glancing at the clock. Twenty until two. Shrugging, he made sure to lock the door behind him, then jumped off the porch and turned on the flashlight, the beam illuminating a portion of the backyard. Setting off at a jog, he sped down the path and in no time was breaking out of the woods and into Jen’s yard.

Noticing a glow coming from the front of the house, he headed for the front door, turning off the flashlight as he rounded the corner. The living room curtains were open, allowing the lamp beside the couch to light the way to the porch. Climbing the stairs, he looked inside, smiling when he found Jen curled up on the end of the sofa, clad in red checkered flannel pajamas and fuzzy black house shoes, scribbling into her journal as a fire flickered in the fireplace, the lights blinking on the Christmas tree in the corner. On the coffee table, he could make out two steaming mugs on either side of a plate of what appeared to be brownies.

Shaking his head with a laugh, he reached out and tapped his knuckles against the window, staying there just long enough to see her getting up. A few more steps and he was at the front door, knocking softly so she’d know he was there. The porch light came on, and he could see a curtain moving, Jen peeking out to make sure it was him before flicking the light back off and pulling the door open.

“Hey, Boof.” He tried to speak quietly, knowing they were at the foot of the stairs and the acoustics of the front entryway sent sounds traveling straight to the bedrooms. She gave him just enough time to step inside before leaning into him, wrapping her arms around his waist and pressing her face into his chest. “I’m sorry …”

“No, this one was all me. I’m sorry, Josh.” Not caring that the door was still standing open, she tightened her hold on him, taking deep breaths as she snuggled against him and shivered, the cold from outside and the chill on his clothes cutting directly though her pajamas. “So sorry.”

“Jenny …” Leaning down, he gathered her into his arms and lifted her from the floor, closing the door behind him as she reached up to hug his neck. Turning the locks, he pressed a kiss to her cheek. “It’s cold, huh? Let’s get you back to the fire, okay?” She nodded against him, and he carried her into the living room, setting her on the couch and pulling the blanket down to cover her. “Better?”

“Now that you’re here, yes.” Watching him set his bag down and take off his sweatshirt, she gestured toward the dishes on the table. “I made apology chocolate.”

“Apology chocolate?” Looking up as he slipped off his shoes, he gave her a confused look. “You mean the really creamy kind with extra marshmallows?”

“Yeah. And heated up some extra brownies.” She shrugged sheepishly at him. “After tonight, chocolate overload seemed appropriate.”

“I’m still trying to figure out why you’re the one apologizing right now, and not me.” He arched an eyebrow at her as he sat down. “I came prepared to grovel, and here you are with apology chocolate and brownies. What gives?”

“I completely overreacted. There was no reason for me to be that upset, but things got away from me.” With a sigh, she shifted closer to him, pulling the blanket with her. Leaning forward, she picked up her mug and took a few sips before letting her eyes meet his. “I’ve been having trouble with that for a while, and I think it was worse tonight than it usually is.”

“Do you wanna talk about it?”

“We need to. But first, I think you probably need to get started on that hot chocolate.” She nodded toward the table. “A lot of this has to do with Luke, and I know how wound up you get about him.”

“Wound up? Please.” He scoffed, reaching for his mug and taking a long drink. “Mmm, that’s good.” Turning his attention to her, he settled back against the cushions. “And I don’t get wound up over Luke Dingess. I’d like to wring his neck and watch the life slowly drain out of him, but I think that should be understandable.”

“Well, you don’t know everything.” Her eyes narrowed as her teeth worked over her lip. “Maybe I should let you finish that mug. There’s more simmering on the stove, and I’m afraid we’re going to need it.” She thought over what she had to tell him and flinched. “And maybe you should have a brownie or two. Just in case.”

“I’m getting the feeling that whatever you’re about to say is gonna make me slightly angry.”

“That’s an understatement.” The blanket pulled tightly around her as she fisted her fingers in the fabric. “I know it’s been years, and he’s nowhere near this house right now, but promise me that you’ll stay with me and not fly off the handle. There’s nothing we can do about it now, so losing your temper isn’t going to help anything.”

“How about you get started, and I’ll tell you when I need that refill?” Blue eyes met hers. “It’ll be all right. I promise.”

“Okay. Here goes.” With a sigh, she turned to face him, resting her head against the cushions and giving him a small smile. “Luke Dingess wasn’t a good guy, and you knew it. You tried to remind me, but I was so excited there was finally a guy who wanted to pay attention to me, I didn’t want to listen.” Looking down, her brow furrowed. “The first date was good. He was nice, treated me well, made me feel special. We shared a lot of the same classes and had lunch together, so we were able to be around each other pretty much all day, every day. Maybe that’s why I didn’t notice when he started being himself. I don’t really know.”

“I was already insecure, because it’d taken so long for anybody to notice me. Most everybody else in our class had been going out on dates and having boyfriends and girlfriends since middle school, but I just didn’t have it in me to go breaking into someone else’s world like that. I’d already started wondering if there was something wrong with me that just put people off, made them not want to be around me. I think Luke saw that, recognized it, and knew he had a prime opportunity to capitalize on it.” A shrug lifted her shoulders. “Nobody else was interested, so why would I ever turn him down?”

“A few weeks in, I noticed that he spent a lot of time making comments toward me and about me that weren’t exactly flattering. He never said them in a way that came across as insults, but when I paid attention to what he was saying instead of how he was saying it, I realized his opinions of me weren’t what I thought they were.” Reaching out, she took another drink of chocolate. “He was always friendly when we were around people from school, but he started getting fierce when we were alone. I was made precisely aware of how he felt about my looks, my clothes, my hobbies … everything.”

“I didn’t know how a couple was supposed to treat each other. I’d never been in a relationship, so I really didn’t have anything to compare it to. I knew Dad had never spoken to Mom the way Luke spoke to me, but I figured they’d been married for years, so they weren’t a good example. You never treated me that way, but you weren’t interested in me, either, so I didn’t think that was a fair comparison. I brought it up to a few of the girls in choir, asking for advice, and they just said guys would be guys and I shouldn’t take it personally. They didn’t seem concerned, and I thought if I gave it time, it’d go back to the way it was when we started, when he was kind and sweet, so I stuck with it.”

“After a while, I started agreeing with him and decided to try to improve myself, but none of it really worked. I liked food too much to stick to any kind of diet, I enjoyed my hobbies too much to give them up completely and I could never really fit in with the people he thought I should.” With a quiet laugh, she let her fingers tighten around the mug. “If nothing else, he got me to dress better. I never bought anything as fitted or as revealing as he wanted, but I found a style I liked and kept it. And I figured out that I actually enjoyed jogging and running, could see that I was getting at least slightly thinner, so I felt a little better about not starving myself to lose the extra pounds he kept saying I was hanging on to.”

“He took me out on Valentine’s Day, and when I got in the car, he was playing If You Wanna Be Happy. You know, that funny little song Dad used to dance with us to?” She waited for his nod, then went on. “I’d told him about that memory, and I thought it was sweet that he remembered what it meant to me. But then I realized it was playing over and over on the stereo, and he was doing stuff with the lyrics. Whenever it would talk about the pretty woman, he’d pick out a girl on the sidewalk or in a car around us and do something to get her attention. Then it’d talk about getting an ugly girl to marry you, and he’d make it all about me. We got to the restaurant – the steak house that used to be down around the courthouse – and I didn’t even get to see a menu. He ordered a full steak dinner for himself and a side salad for me. No dressing, because I didn’t need the extra calories.”

“And then he started quoting that song loud enough for the table next to us to hear.” Swallowing hard, she closed her eyes. “I saw Aaron sitting in a booth close by, and I was mortified. Luke didn’t know who he was, and kept at me the entire meal, no matter how I tried to get him to stop. Aaron finished first, and stopped by to say hi, then asked if I was okay. I could tell he was aggravated, but I said I was fine and sent him on his way. Luke didn’t like that very much, so he restarted the song as soon as we got back in the car. I haven’t been able to listen to it since, and that memory of Dad was completely ruined.” A bitter smile formed as she shook her head. “And we won’t get into how much he made me hate Valentine’s Day.”

“I’d never considered myself to be very attractive before then, so it didn’t take much for me to decide he was right about my looks. Nobody else had ever called me pretty or beautiful, and if I hadn’t heard it before, then the opposite must be true. I must be as ugly as he seemed to think I was. Clothes didn’t help, I was never very good at the whole makeup thing – Mom tried to teach me, bless her heart, but I just didn’t have the interest for anything more than the basics – and it wasn’t long before I started spending more time in front of the mirror, picking out every little thing about me that wasn’t perfect. That’s when the voice started.”

“I hated that damn voice, pointing out every flaw in everything about me: my personality, my appearance, my weight, my interests. Everything. I never did the right thing. I never said the right words. The sizes hanging in my closet were unacceptable. I wasn’t given the solo for the choir concert because my voice was horrible. I nearly backed out of playing the piano with the orchestra, because I might’ve been hitting the right notes, but the expression was all wrong. My journals from that time look insane. Every page is marked with corrections and edits, since none of my work was good enough.”

“Our first date was in January, and it was March when he started trying to get me to have sex with him.” Clearing her throat, she took a second to drain her chocolate and laid the empty mug on the table before pulling her knees up to her chest, hugging her arms around the blanket covering her legs. “I wasn’t ready for that, and I told him so. But he came back with all these reasons why I should, how it would improve things about me that were otherwise not fixable. Even as messed up as I was, I knew better than that and kept putting him off.”

“He worked on me for about a month, then decided what I really needed was a romantic gesture to get things started. We wound up back at that same steak house as Valentine’s Day, but I got to order what I wanted. It was like he’d hit rewind and was back to the guy he’d been to draw me in to start with. We had a nice evening, he started to take me home, then pulled over into that park across from the middle school. I thought maybe he wanted to talk some more, but something seemed off, so I tried to keep as much distance between us as I could. At least, until he started kissing me, then I let my guard down a little bit.”

“It was like one of those stupid Lifetime movies, but without the rape. He started touching me, trying to get to the zipper on my pants, and I backed off, telling him to stop. He laughed at me, said he knew what I really wanted, and tried to pull me back across the seat. I pushed him away, rolled down the window and threatened to start screaming if he didn’t take me home. That pissed him off, of course, and he started yelling at me, telling me that if I loved him, I would. Not too bright, because loving him had never even crossed my mind, and I made sure he knew it. Then he started cursing at me, calling me a teasing bitch and saying it didn’t matter if I didn’t love him, because he was going to be the only one who pitied me enough to ever have sex with me. Nobody else had ever wanted me, and if I didn’t let him have me, he doubted anyone else would have standards that low, so I’d better get it while I could.”

“I don’t remember what I said after that, but he leaned across me, opened the door and pushed me out. After I was on the ground, he hit me with the door while he was trying to close it. It hurt so bad, I started crying and that just made it worse. He yelled at me to get my fat ass down, slammed the door, started the car and took off, heading toward his house. It was cold and dark, I didn’t have a jacket, my shoulder and hip hurt like hell, there was a scrape on my face where the edge of the door clipped my head and he’d left me almost three miles from home. For a little while, I just stood there, that stupid voice telling me what a dumbass I was, thinking he’d be back, but he never came, so I started walking. The shortest route had me passing through his neighborhood, and about halfway down the second block, I saw his car on the other side of the street, right across from Macie’s house. The windows were fogged, except for the one in the back that was rolled down, and she had her legs wrapped around him, telling him she loved him while he put that suspension to the test.”

“By the time I made it to the end of the block, she was screaming his name, so I guess that entire neighborhood knew they had a thing going.” Pushing the blanket aside, she let her fingers trace the plaid pattern of her pajama pants. “I was so glad Mom was working second shift, because I beat her home with enough time to clean myself up and get in bed before she could see how torn up I was. She checked on me when she came in, but I pretended to be asleep, so I wouldn’t have to talk to her.”

“I didn’t sleep at all that night, and the next day at school I was a walking zombie. People left me alone, and that was good, because I wouldn’t have been able to say the right things anyway. Then I had to go past the guy’s locker room on my way from the cafeteria to the arts wing, and Luke caught me in the hallway. He started in on me again, dumping me in front of all those people, humiliating me with all the reasons he could come up with that just made me a lousy person overall.” Taking a deep breath, she leaned her forehead on her knees. “Something in me snapped, and I started screaming and throwing punches, nailing him in the face and stomach until he went flying through that door. Once he was down, I actually went into the locker room and kicked him square in the balls twice. I was about to slam my bookbag over his head when the coach came in and grabbed me, dragged me back into the hallway and just stood there as I lost it. We’re talking a hysterical mess, to the point where I was sobbing so hard, I couldn’t breathe. He calmed me down and said he wasn’t going to turn me in, because he’d heard about what Luke had done to me. Apparently, I’d been the joke of the locker room from the beginning.”

“The next week, I was added to the Prom Queen ballot as a joke. I didn’t think anything of it and was trying to ignore it. Mom started asking questions, and I was able to explain away the bruises and played it off as just your regular break up. It took me weeks to start feeling kind of normal again, and I was able to convince myself that it was over and I was okay. You came home for the dance, so you know I won that crown, but I never could get anyone to be honest with me about how. There was absolutely no logical reason for me to have won, seeing as the rest of the girls were far more popular than I ever was, and I figured they were trying to spare me from knowing I’d gotten the class pity vote.”

“It was a little better with you here, but then you … uh, you weren’t able to stay long. After you went back to Florida, I tried to build up at least a little bit of my confidence again. I didn’t care what I looked like, because it really didn’t matter to me anymore. It was what it was and everyone else could take me or leave me. I was comfortable with myself and that was fine. It’s a miracle he didn’t leave me anorexic and schizophrenic.” Her eyes finally came up to meet his, and she was shaken by the raw fury she found there. “I never loved him. Never came close. I just wanted so badly for someone to want me, but it blew up in my face. I was able to recover for the most part, but that voice never went away, Josh. It’s been with me ever since. If I get too confident, too happy, too excited, it always starts screaming at me, reminding me of everything I can’t fix about myself. It taunts me with all the things I want, everything I dream of, teasing me that I should know I can never have them, that I’m not good enough to have any of it.” Tears began filling her eyes. “After all these years, Luke Dingess is still torturing me, and no matter what I do, he won’t go away.”

“Is that what happened tonight?” His voice was strained, and she could tell he was fighting to stay calm. “You had to leave to cope?”

“Something like that, yeah.” Sighing, she scooted over until she could lean against his shoulder. “You asked me to wait for you two years ago, and that’s what I wanted. I was willing to wait however long it took, because you’re the only one I can see myself truly happy with. But this entire time, I’ve been fighting against the feeling that no matter what, I’m not enough for you. That voice keeps telling me I’m an idiot for letting you string me along, because I’m nowhere near the level of the girls you’ve met overseas, or the ones you’ll meet now that you’re home. You’re in an industry packed with beautiful people, and I fall far short of what they can offer you. I keep waiting for you to finally tell me that you’ve found your perfect girl – your Meant to Be – and it’s okay for me to move on.” A trembling smile lifted her lips as she looked up at him, the first tears running down her cheeks. “I never want you to settle for less than you deserve, Josh. You should have the absolute best, and there’s a big part of me that knows I’m not it.”

“Jenny …”

“When I met Sara for the first time, and she attacked me the way she did, it wasn’t hard. She was an unknown that had come into our lives, who became a common enemy. The playing field was even, because it was obvious you couldn’t stand her, either.” Sniffling, she pressed into him when his arm went around her shoulders. “But Candice has history. There was a time you chose her, no matter how young we were. And she grew into an irritatingly beautiful version of what she used to be. I walked in that room, saw the way you were sitting together, and froze. I knew exactly who she was, and you were obviously having a great time talking to her.”

“It wasn’t a big deal, nothing to be upset about. I know we’ve never been anything official, and I don’t have any kind of claim on you. You’re free to sit and talk with anyone you want. But when I’ve got Luke in my head telling me he was right the entire time, that even you couldn’t really want me, it starts the spiral.” A deep sigh raised her shoulders. “I’ve always known that I’m not really your type. You like a tall, gorgeous hourglass figure and I can’t give you that. Candice is a far better match for you than I’ll ever be. But even after trying to prepare myself for it, when I saw her kissing you, I bottomed out and needed to get away.”

“You can put any claim on me you want, Jen.” His fingers worked their way into her hair, combing the strands away from her wet cheeks. “Sara, Candice … no girl who comes around me gets to me like you do. And if you really want me to choose a type, then it’s always gonna be you.”

“God, I wish my brain would let me believe that.” More tears escaped as she turned her face into his chest. “Until that last night, he never raised a hand to me, never hit me, never touched me unless I allowed it, but sometimes I wish he’d come at me with his fists instead. Bruises would’ve gone away, I could’ve gone after him for something physical, but this emotional mess he left me in just keeps getting worse. I’m sorry, Josh.”

“You don’t need to apologize, Boof.” He pulled her onto his lap, wrapping his arms around her tightly as he began rocking back and forth, kissing the side of her head when she hugged him around the neck. “But I think you need to get some help. It kills me that I wasn’t here for you when you needed me, and now I’m not equipped with what you need to deal with this.”

“Mac’s gonna look for a therapist I can talk to when we get back to Orlando.”

“Good.”

“It’s a start, anyway.” She heaved a shaky breath against him. “There’s no easy fix to this, Josh. I can’t just wish away a problem I’ve tried to ignore for years.”

“I know.” He leaned down, pressing his lips to hers briefly. “But even baby steps are progress.” His eyes narrowed in irritation. “And just so you know, if I ever see him again, I’m kicking his ass.”

“I doubt that’s gonna happen. Last I heard, he’d had at least one kid and was either engaged or married, working on a degree in sports medicine somewhere in Texas.” Sighing, she licked her lips, tasting chocolate. “Now that we’re going to be around each other more, I may be asking you for a lot of forgiveness.” Her brow furrowed as she raised up to look at him. “Things are different than they were before you left. We weren’t anything but friends, and I didn’t let myself get so caught up that it’d bother me. I don’t want to push you away, so please don’t let me.”

“I’m not going anywhere. If you need me, and I’m not with you, call me. I may not be able to get to you, but I’ll listen as long as you need me to.” His forehead rested against hers. “And if something’s bothering you that you can’t talk to me about, if you need to talk to someone else, then find Maggie or call Amber or Heather.”

“I will. I promise.”

“Okay.” He held her for a while, smiling when she curled into him, her fingertips scratching through the hair on the back of his head. “Do you have anything else you need to tell me?”

“No.”

“Then I think it’s my turn.” She leaned back, her eyes widening at him. “Nothing bad, I swear. But let’s get a refill on that chocolate.” He grinned as she moved to stand. “I’m not wasting apology chocolate, even if it wasn’t necessary.”

“Lord help if we waste the chocolate.” Letting out a laugh, she reached down, arching a brow at him when she picked up the empty brownie plate. “You ate them all? How did I miss that?”

“You were focused.” Draping his arm over her shoulders, he led her to the kitchen. “And I needed something to keep me on the couch. You know me too well.”

“Yeah.” She set the plate in the sink, then turned back to watch him refill both their mugs. “Did you even eat anything at your house earlier? I wasn’t paying attention. I’ve got extra of everything if you’re hungry.” Walking past him, she pulled open the fridge. “I know it’s almost three, but all that chocolate can’t be good for you.”

“I raided the leftovers before getting my bag ready. Pretty much finished off what was left of the chicken salad, so Mom’ll be after my head in the morning. It’s her favorite.” Handing her a mug, he hugged her quickly. “By the way, Heather wants your sausage ball recipe. They were a hit.”

“That’s good.” Jen smiled up at him. “We had a blast cooking when she came to visit, so I put together a scrapbook of my recipes for her for Christmas. My special calzone crust and sauce even made it in, and I don’t give that out to just anybody.”

“She’ll love that. You may need to walk her through it sometime.” He flipped off the kitchen light as they went back to the living room. “She mentioned wanting to visit during Spring Break next year, too. Apparently, she’s jealous Ty got to go with you to the studio.”

“Yeah, that wasn’t exactly planned.” She sighed, settling back down on the couch. “Brian had a glitch in his system and lost the vocals for a demo we hadn’t finished. We had to go back to redo some stuff.” Taking a sip of her chocolate, she watched him pick up his bag and set it on the coffee table. “I wanted to do something special with each of them, so I got Ty tickets to an exhibition baseball game at Disney and took H for a behind the scenes tour at Busch Gardens.”

“Oh, I heard all about it. You’re spoiling them rotten, you know.” Sliding the zipper, he pulled the bag open and started fishing around, pulling out a CD case and moving over to the stereo system. “He was so proud of that home run ball he caught. And I don’t think she realized how cool penguins were until she got to play with one.”

“I want to do something like that with each of the guys next year, too. Instead of a birthday gift.”

“Like what?” He loaded the disc but didn’t play it, picking up the remote and coming back to the couch. “Busch Gardens?”

“Maybe. Something special I know they’ll enjoy.” Her teeth worked over her lip. “You know, before the group gets so big it’s impossible for me to go do anything with them. If I can get the dates to work, I think I’ve already got J and Chris figured out, and Lance should be fairly easy, I just have to wait for the right name to pop up. I might need your help with Joey, though. He’s a little tougher.” She glanced over when he sat down beside her, nudging him with a smile. “And I can probably get creative for you, too.”

“As you wish, Boof.” Leaning over, he kissed her quickly. “I’m up for anything.” Reaching back in the bag, he retrieved a small box wrapped in Christmas paper. “Okay. My turn.”

“Your turn.” Clearing her throat, she fidgeted nervously. “Are you sure you don’t need more brownies?”

“Positive.” Taking a quick drink from his mug, he turned to face her. “As I said before, I came over here tonight prepared to grovel. I’ve had to switch gears just a little, but I’m pretty sure I still owe you an apology.”

“Josh. No …”

“Yeah, I think I do. I’m sorry about tonight. For the first time in a long time, I let myself get distracted, and it hurt you.” His brow furrowed slightly. “I hurt you, and it makes me sick. I’m so sorry, Jen. On top of that, it’s come to my attention that maybe I haven’t been too clear on where I stand with what’s going on between us. You should have no doubts about that, so I’m sorry if I gave you any mixed signals.” Tilting his head, he let out a sigh. “I know waiting isn’t exactly the best of situations, for either of us. When I wasn’t here, we didn’t have a choice, but now that I’m home, it’s just irritating. Right?” He paused as she nodded slowly. “But there’s a reason for it, and I think I need to explain myself. Okay?”

“O-okay.”

“Here goes.” Picking up the remote, he advanced the disc and pressed play. “I really like your version of this better, but I didn’t have it with me. Butterfly is one of my favorite songs you’ve written. There’s no story sheet for it, so I have no idea who you wrote it for or why, but it fits our situation perfectly.” Moving closer to her, he reached for her hands. “Ever since you were younger, you’ve talked about how you wanted to go to school and get your degree, and I’ve always wanted for you to be able to have that, to get to experience college life, meet new people and make all kinds of memories. I was thrilled when you got accepted to UCF, because I knew how hard it was to get into their program. Then by some miracle, I wound up down there, too. God, I was so excited that I was gonna get to be close to you. Things took off like a bat out of hell, and not too long after you got there, you started building a career to go along with that degree you’re working for.”

“I was having a blast watching you love life, then Sweden came calling, and I had to go. It killed me to leave you behind, but I knew there were things you needed to be doing, just like I was having to go take care of business overseas. As soon as Johnny came in, telling us we’d gotten the deal, it hit me that I had to let you go so you could build your life here, and it tore me up, because I knew giving you that freedom opened up the definite chance I could lose you to someone else. As hard as that was, I thought I could deal with it. But then I kissed you in that grocery store, and things got complicated.”

“I fought with myself for weeks after that, trying to figure out the best thing to do. Asking you to wait for me was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done, because I didn’t want to trap you in that. As you said, it basically meant we were hanging out in limbo, and that’s not what I wanted for you. Every option I had sucked, but my heart was involved, and I couldn’t leave without asking. To be honest, when you said yes, and I found out you wanted it, too, breathing became a lot easier.”

“Knowing that I could still give you the opportunity to do your thing, while keeping the possibility open to have more than just a friendship with you … that was the best-case scenario in my book. My coming home puts us a lot closer to what I’m hoping for, but it’s still a work in progress. You’re so close to your finish line, it’s almost in sight, and I will not be a distraction when you’re this close to earning your degree.” He picked up the present and handed it to her. “Go ahead and open it.” Her fingers worked quickly over the wrapping, and when she lifted the lid, he heard her breath catch. “I found this in a jewelry shop in Stockholm and had to get it for you.”

“It’s beautiful, Josh.” She tilted it around, trying to get a better look at the colors. “Thank you.”

“I saw it and knew it was perfect for you.” Taking the box from her, he pulled the large silver hair clip from its cushion and held it up, the blue and purple jewels that made up the butterfly’s wings sparkling in the firelight. “You’re my butterfly, Jen, and you’re still spreading your wings. When we got to work together in the studio back in June, I could see that you were nearly there. There’s just a little more work to do.” He returned the gift to her, his eyes meeting hers. “When you came to visit, I got an idea of how it could be, and I want to try keeping it up now that I’m home. You’ll be covered up with your classes and work, and I’ll be doing whatever has to be done for the group, but we’re gonna make this work.” Raising her hand, he pressed his lips over her knuckles. “I’m probably gonna be just as clingy with you as I was in Europe, especially when we’re alone. But as for the labels, names and stuff … you’ve said that you can’t graduate sooner and I won’t let you put any of your focus on me until you’ve finished your program, so another year is all I ask. As busy as we’re both about to be, it’ll go by in a flash.”

“Graduation is still the finish line, huh?”

“That’s right.” His hands came up to cup her face. “And to be perfectly clear: you are not the only one waiting. There hasn’t been anyone else since before I came home from filming for the Club. Not because I’ve been busy, but because I don’t want anyone else. No other girl, over in Europe or here in the States, comes close to measuring up to what I have in front of me right now. As far as I’m concerned, I’m yours, with or without labels.”

“When I moved back down to Florida and spent those weeks waiting for you to get there, I realized that you meant home to me. If I’m near you, then I’m where I belong.” Brown eyes widened, and he smiled, brushing a thumb over her cheek. “You make me happy, Boof. Everything about you means happiness to me. Your eyes, your smile, your laugh … and damn, you’re beautiful.” As soon as he mentioned her appearance, he could see the insecurity taking over, and he knew from her expression that she was trying to fight it back. “Try to forget about everything that bastard told you. Don’t let him win, Jen. He’s not here right now, I am, and I’m telling you that you are beautiful. Gorgeous. Inside and out.” His eyes met hers, his hands keeping her from turning away. “Have I ever lied to you?”

“No.” She shook her head, then tilted her chin down as far as she could, looking at herself. “But I’m not …”

“I’ve never lied to you, and I’m not about to start now, all right?” He waited for her nod, then let his hands come down to her shoulders. “Listen to me. I know I don’t make a big deal out of saying it, but I love to look at you. I always have. It doesn’t matter if you’re in pajamas, jeans or that blue dress that made most of America’s men lust after you.” A quiet huff shook her chest, and he grinned when she rolled her eyes. “You can’t deny it. People decided to feature you for more than just winning a Grammy. They knew copies would be flying off the shelves. Mom had to go all the way into D.C. just to find one to send me.” One brow arched at him, and he let out a laugh. “Yeah, I’m guilty. That magazine has travelled with me ever since it was delivered. That’s my girl on the cover, showing the entire world why Joey calls her Hot Stuff.”

“But that’s what happens with Mom and Maggie working on me for hours. That’s not every day me.” She looked down at herself again, her fingers tangling in the loose fabric of her pajamas. “Every day me is …”

“Every day you is everything I want.” Releasing her, he picked up the stereo remote and cut off the music. “Here. Stand up.”

“Josh, you’re at least a foot taller than me. If we stand up next to each other, that’s just going to prove how physically incompatible we are.”

“I’m not standing up. You are.” Tugging on her hands, he pulled her to the edge of the cushions. “Come on.” With a sigh, she finally obeyed, letting him move her until she was standing in front of him. He let himself look his fill, his gaze moving over her from head to toe, a grin forming when he noticed the little elves peeking out of a few of the plaid squares in her shirt. “Cute elves.” She laughed quietly, giving him a small smile. “As much time as I spend looking at you, I’m surprised you haven’t caught me staring yet.” He shifted to sit on the edge of the couch, reaching for her. “I’m going to touch you, but don’t let me make you uncomfortable. Tell me to stop whenever you want.”

“Okay.” Her eyes closed, a hum escaping her throat as his fingers slid into her hair. “Oh, that’s nice.”

“Yeah, I like it when you mess with my hair, too.” Starting at her scalp, he combed through to the very tips, letting his fingers play with the ends, twirling the strands around before starting over again. “I never really thought of myself as a hair guy, but I love yours. It’s always soft and bouncy and smells like that shampoo you use. Flowery and clean.” Letting his fingertips glide over her forehead, he drew a line down the bridge of her nose, smiling when it wrinkled a bit under his touch. “Lonnie and Kenny weren’t kidding when they said you look like Tinkerbell. Your face is what gives you that fairy look. Round cheeks, large eyes, smooth skin, cute nose. I kind of miss the freckles you used to have when you were a kid.” He tapped a finger against the tip of her nose, then let one hand cradle the curve of her jaw as the other moved to her mouth. “Your mouth is perfect. Soft lips, just the right shape.” Sitting up taller, he kissed her, holding back a laugh when she tried to keep him from pulling away. “More later, if you want. I promise.”

“Uh huh.” She let herself look at him, eyes twinkling as they opened. “Sure.”

“Your mouth fits mine like a dream. You have a killer smile that draws in the entire room. And your eyes …” The fingers that had been against her lips came up to trace a curved line beneath each of her eyes. “Your eyes remind me of chocolate. That rich, fudgy stuff you put in the brownies you make for me. They sparkle when you laugh and light up when you smile. Sometimes, I try to tell myself that maybe a little of that spark could be for me.” When she nodded, he grinned, stretching up to kiss her again. “God, you have no idea how happy that makes me.” Another quick kiss and he backed away, his thumbs moving across either side of her jaw. “I can see your dad in your chin and jaw. You inherited his stubbornness, his attitude, and it’s obvious here. But your lines are so soft, they just blend right in perfectly.”

“You have such a beautiful face, Boof. Those first few nights after you caught up to us in Berlin, I’d just lie there in the dark, trying to memorize you, praying that one day I’d get to keep you.” His hands left her face, coming to her shoulders and moving gently down her arms to her wrists and back up. “Whenever you hug me, I wish you’d never let me go.” Her eyes widened, and he smiled. “Yeah, H spilled a few of the beans. But I figured the feeling was mutual, so it was okay.” He reached her hands, pulling them toward him so he could place his palms against hers, lacing their fingers together. “Just like your mouth, your hands fit mine perfectly. Mine are larger, but your fingers are just the right size.”

“That jackass tried to make a big deal out of your clothes, but I don’t care what you wear. Unless you ask for my opinion, I’ll never tell you how to dress.” His eyes came up to hers as he untwined their fingers, hesitantly letting his hands settle on her waist. When she didn’t flinch, he let his grip tighten on her. “You’ve always liked your clothes to be a little loose, and that’s fine by me. If you’re comfortable, then you’re happy, and that’s all I want. But there may be times where you have to dress a little more formally. Wear whatever you’d like, but a little part of me hopes for a repeat of Berlin someday. Or maybe the Grammys.”

He let his fingers fist in the material of her pajama top, drawing it tight enough to show off her figure, his eyes darkening as he studied her curves. “If you think an hourglass figure is what does it for me, then you haven’t been paying attention. God put together the perfect mix of sexy and sweetness and set you down right where you’d drive me out of my mind.” A warm smile formed as his thumbs swept lazy circles against her ribs. “You’re the kind of hot that makes me want to get my hands on you and show you exactly what my type is. I could watch you for hours and never get bored, no matter how many layers you have on. You have a dynamite body, Jen, and you won’t hear any complaints from me if you feel like showing it off. You don’t have to show a lot of skin to be sexy, you know.”

“Josh …” She bit her lip when his hands began moving over her sides, sliding up toward her bust, then tracing her shape down until he stopped on her hips. “You haven’t mentioned my legs. And how much shorter than yours they are.”

“Doesn’t matter.” His fingers squeezed, pulling her closer to him. “You’ll be surprised at how much I have to say about your legs, but that’s definitely a conversation for another day. All you need to know right now is that it really doesn’t matter how long they are.” Swallowing hard, his gaze moved over her face before settling on her eyes. “I’m just going to lay it out there that this isn’t going anywhere tonight. Right now, we’re working things out, and no matter how much I want you, I know it’s really not the right time. Do you understand?” At her nod, he took a deep breath. “Okay. Do you remember the night before I left? We were watching Spaceballs?”

“I don’t think I could forget.”

“Feel comfortable enough for a repeat? It’s really the only way I can think of to show you what I mean.” With a smile, she came toward him, her knees resting on either side of him as she climbed onto the couch, straddling his lap. His grip tightened on her hips and he gave her a grin. “Put your arms around my neck, but don’t kiss me yet, okay? I’ll completely miss making my point.” Laughing under her breath, she obeyed, hugging him as he wanted. Without another word, his hands left her hips, his arms wrapping around her and pulling her as tightly to him as he could. Her breath caught in her chest at the feel of his body against hers, their hips aligning at the perfect spot for her to press her face into his shoulder or neck. “Do you feel that?” She could feel him breathing, every move he made, and nodded again. “You were made for me, Boof. We were designed to fit together. Body, mouth, hands …” His touch moved over her back. “We’re perfect for each other.”

“We are.” There was no question in her tone, the statement definite as she pulled back just far enough to see his face. “Is this why you’re always picking me up?”

“Guilty again.” There was no shame in his expression. “I can’t help it. I love the feel of you.”

“I understand. And I agree. Why do you think I never want you to let me go?” Leaning in, she caught his lips with hers, letting her fingers comb up into hair he’d allowed to grow longer just to make her happy. His hands returned to grip her hips, a quiet groan rumbling through his chest as he moved his mouth against hers in a series of kisses that had his body responding almost immediately. She broke away when she felt the change in him, arching an eyebrow with a smile as she looked at him.

“Yeah, like I said … I want you. How you make me react is something else we’ll talk about when we have that conversation about your legs.” Laughing softly, he moved forward, whispering in her ear. “I’m just like any other guy, you know. I have to get creative every now and again, but, really, it’s been a long time for me, Jen. Considering what you do to me sitting on a couch, whenever we do have that talk, it’s gonna be damn amazing.” Grinning at her widened eyes, he twisted around until he could set her down on the couch next to him. She refused to let him put space between them, crowding into his side, her arm going around his waist. Leaning over, he kissed her once more. “Just to make sure we’re clear, let’s review. What do I think of you as?”

“Your butterfly.” Reaching out, she let her fingers trace the edge of the box, smiling at the butterfly that glittered with the same colors as the one inked on her back. “You’re mine, too.”

“I was hoping for that.” Relaxing back into the cushions, he pulled her tighter against him, burying his face in her hair. “Are you the only one waiting?”

“No.” She let herself sink into his arms, resting into his chest as his chin settled against the side of her head. “You’re waiting, too.”

“Why?”

“Because you don’t want anyone else but me.” Tilting her head back, she pressed a kiss to the underside of his jaw. “Just like I want you.”

“Right.” He breathed deeply, smiling when she sighed against him. “How do you make me feel?”

“Happy. At home.” Brown eyes glinted with humor as she looked up at him. “Maybe a little turned on.”

“Yeah, all the above.” Laughing, he gave her a squeeze, then arched an eyebrow at her. “Speaking of … how do I make you feel?”

“All the above.” Her gaze moved over him, a blush beginning to stain her cheeks. “Definitely all the above.”

“Good.” Kissing her forehead, he let his fingers comb through her hair. “What do I think you are?”

“Beautiful. Gorgeous.” A smile lifted her features as she stored the uplifting phrases away in her heart. “Hot, sexy, sweet and with a dynamite body. Perfect for you.” Her voice became questioning. “Worth waiting for?”

“Absolutely worth waiting for.” His thumb pushed against her chin, lifting it up so he could kiss her. “I wouldn’t wait for anyone else.” He let his forehead rest against hers. “What’s our finish line?”

“My graduation.”

“Are you okay with that?” Blue eyes searched hers, looking for any hesitancy. “I know it’s another year.”

“You have an album to redo and hopefully shows to plan, and I’ve only got one more regular semester before I have to start really pulling together my showcase, not to mention any other work that pops up. This year is going to be nuts for both of us, and neither of us can really afford any distractions.” Her fingers came to his face. “As long as we can work in a little bit of this every now and again …” She gestured over how they were cuddled on the couch. “I think you’re right. It’ll fly by before we know it.”

“Oh, we’ll definitely work this in.” With a grin, he let his lips move over hers again. “I’m not giving this up for a year.” Shifting around, he pulled on her until they were lying down, facing each other, and reached up to turn off the lamp. Darkness fell over the room, leaving them with firelight and the blinking Christmas lights. “For right now, unless they send us somewhere to record, I’ll be home with you. And when we start heading out to do shows, if you’ve got nothing else happening during your breaks, or if you get a few days off between classes, I’d love it if you’d visit.” She could see his brow furrow in the dim lighting. “Don’t change your plans for me, though. If you’ve got work to do, something going with your mom or Maggie, or if you’ve got Ty or H visiting, then stay put and enjoy it. Okay?”

“Yep. I promise.” Closing her eyes, she let her cheek rest on his chest. “I was a little upset that I couldn’t go to the filming of your new video last week, though. You were just across town, but I had work to finish.”

“I could tell you weren’t too happy about it. We missed you, too.” His arms wrapped around her, holding her against him. “The guys and I talked it over and decided that since you couldn’t be there, you should be the first to see it.”

“Really?” She looked up at him, eyes wide. “They gave you a copy?”

“The tape is in my bag. Nobody outside the group has seen it, not even our families. You’ll be our first real opinion.” Yawning, he felt himself beginning to relax. “I thought we’d watch it in the morning, before everybody gets here.”

“I’d love that.” Settling back into him, she could feel her eyelids growing heavy. “Thank you, Josh.”

“Mmhmm.” As he began to drift off, he managed one more question. “Boof? Whose voice is in your head now?”

“Yours.” She sighed, hugging an arm around his neck as sleep came. “It’s nice.”

“Good.” He slid his fingers into her hair and pressed his lips to her forehead. “I’m gonna try to keep it that way.”

 

 

Chapter Twenty Five by Renee

 

January 21, 1998

“Are we good?” At the technician’s nod, Justin pulled off the headphones and pushed through the door, leaving the booth behind and crossing the studio to drop onto the couch next to Chris. He started the chain by jabbing Chris in the side, who in turn leaned over and nudged JC in the ribs, rousing him up from his nap. “Hey, man. They just finished my verse. You’re up.”

“Yep.” Never opening his eyes, JC burrowed further into the cushions, breathing deeply. “Just a sec.”

“Jace. They’re almost ready for you.” Chris shook him harder, earning a blue-eyed glare in return. “Dude, don’t shoot the messenger. Get your ass in gear so we can get this finished and call it a day.”

“Sounds good to me.” With a loud yawn, JC got to his feet and stretched. “What time is it, anyway?”

“Going on eight.” Lance spoke up from a recliner on the other side of the room. “Get your leads down, and we can hit the road for food.”

“Awesome. Jen told me about a great little café about two blocks from here.” Glancing over at the technicians, he saw that they were still finalizing Justin’s last take. “She was up here last summer and went for lunch, said we needed to try it. Apparently, they’ve got a killer sandwich menu.” He groaned, scratching the back of his neck. “Or there’s a pizza place she swore by, too. Whatever.”

“Count on Hot Stuff to know where the good food is.” Joey laughed, turning his hat backward on his head. “Did she find these by accident, too?”

“I think Richard Marx was her food guide for that trip.” Shrugging with a quiet chuckle, he nodded when a tech motioned for him to go into the booth. “How crazy is that?”

“I don’t know. I can kind of picture her having lunch with him.” Justin grinned, stretching his legs out in front of him as the door swung closed behind JC. “Maybe one day she’ll introduce us.”

“Yeah, sure, J.” A blonde brow arched as Lance opened one eye to look at him. “Maybe for the next album, right?”

“Hey, if she was her usual charming self, I’m betting she’s gotten at least one call or e-mail from the guy.” Chris glanced down when the cell phone next to him began to vibrate. Jen had gifted them all with a phone for Christmas, but JC’s was the same model as hers, setting it apart from the others. “Have we ever met anybody who could resist her?” He picked up the phone, turning it over to read the display. “Speaking of angels who fell from heaven …” Flipping it open with a smile, he leaned back on the couch and closed his eyes. “Hey, Gracie. He’s in the booth right now. Wanna talk to me for a while?”

“Hi, Spazz.” Her voice was surprised, accented by a scraping noise in the background. “You sound tired. How’s it going?”

“It’s going great, it’s just been a long day.” He sighed. “We’ll be finishing up here as soon as your man gets his leads down.”

“Done in one day? Wow.” She laughed. “Is that a record or what?”

“Well, the material was awesome, so it went easier. And that’s just our part. The engineers still have to do all their mixing and stuff.” The music started up in the booth, JC focusing on his lead sheet as he waited for his cue. “Hang on a sec. I’ll see if the techs will turn it up.” Turning to the men sitting at the board, Chris raised his voice. “Hey guys, can you turn the volume up? The songwriter wants to hear what we’ve got.”

“Sure thing, man.” The dark-haired tech flipped a few switches and sound began to flow around them with more volume. “If that’s Jenny Lawson, tell her Ed says hi.”

“Okay.” Puzzled, Chris went back to the phone. “Did you hear that? Ed says to tell you hi.”

“Seriously?” She let out another laugh. “Right back at him. Is Dan there, too?”

“Nope. It’s Ed and Sammy this time.”

“Well, Ed’s a good one. He’ll do right by you guys.” A grunt carried over the line. “And if he doesn’t, tell him I’m coming after him.”

“What’re you doing?” His brow furrowed a bit when she grunted again. “Having issues?”

“No. Just trying to get laundry done.” Her voice was strained for a second. “I can’t reach the stuff at the bottom of the washer to load the dryer. You know, short girl problems. The stairs that Shan designed are pretty much limited to the kitchen.” A sigh escaped, and it sounded like she kicked the machine. “Ow. I need to get a step ladder or something. Then I’ll only have to worry about falling in.”

“Jen, if you need a ladder to do your laundry, maybe you should wait until there’s someone there with you. Then, if you do fall in, there’ll be an eyewitness to document it for future ragging.”

“Gee, thanks, Chris.”

“No problem.” With a laugh, he heard JC beginning his part with his cue. “Here we go. Listen to this.” Taking the phone away from his ear, he held it out so she could hear the verse that was being recorded.

In all of creation, all things great and small
You are the one that surpasses them all
More precious than any diamond or pearl
They broke the mold when you came in this world


“Well?” Pulling the phone back, he grinned. “What do you think?”

“It sounds fantastic. I’m so glad Josh got that verse.” Her smile was in her voice. “You know he’s gonna want to do it again, though. He’s never happy with the first few tries.”

“Yep. We’re all pretty much just napping and waiting for him to hit his stride.” Clearing his throat, Chris glanced over at Justin, who was swaying in time to the music. “Hopefully, it won’t be too long. I’m beyond starving. Should we do the sandwich place or the pizza?”

“If you have to choose, go with the pizza.” She hummed at the memory. “Best hand-tossed I’ve ever eaten.”

“Other than yours, right?”

“No, these guys put me to shame. They’ve got it down to a science.” Two metallic clangs were followed by mechanical rumbling, then the laundry room door swung closed, cutting off the sound. “I’ve got to get back to the office.”

“What are you working on now?”

“I seem to have hit the movie soundtrack goldmine, so I’m going through a few other requests Mac sent me.” She took a deep breath. “Maybe I can figure out what it is they seem to like so much and run with it.”

“Really? What’s winning?”

Iris and Uninvited got picked up for the City of Angels soundtrack. I’ve got a song appearing in some big disaster movie due later this year, artist to be determined. A few others are in development.”

“Oh, I loved Iris. Great work there.”

“Thanks. I liked that one, too. The arrangement was fun to work on. Remind me to play you the R&B version I finished last week.” The refrigerator door opened, and he could hear her pulling out a drink. “But I have to get back to it. They won’t write themselves.”

“Wouldn’t it be so easy if they did?”

“I know, right?” She snorted, twisting the cap off a bottle. “I’ve got to go, but could you pass me to J really quick?”

“Ah, the kid’s special tonight, huh?” He felt Justin sit up next to him, a smile brightening his features. “Sure thing, Gracie. I’ll talk to you later.” Holding out the phone, he wiggled it toward him. “You’re the man of the hour, J.”

“Awesome.” Taking the phone, Justin settled back with a grin. “Hey, Shorty. What’s up?”

“Hey. I just wanted to let you know to keep your calendar clear for March 25th.”

“March 25th?” His brow furrowed. “What’s happening March 25th?”

“You and I have a date, that’s what.” She laughed brightly. “I’ve already talked to Marianne, and she swears that she’ll do everything she can to keep you available for me.”

“We’ve got a date, huh?” He cast a surprised look toward Joey, whose brows rose questioningly. “Does Jace know about this date of ours?”

“Seriously?” Her eye roll was obvious. “Of course.”

“Just asking. Where are we going?”

“It’s a surprise.” There was a quiet sigh as a door closed behind her. “I’m pretty sure you’ll figure it out on your own, but you won’t get it from me.”

“Okay, cool. I like surprises.” His fingers ran through his hair as he thought over what she’d just said. “What did you have to do for Marianne to make a promise like that?”

“Not much. She’s a fan of banana bread.”

“Is that all? What a pushover.” A laugh escaped before he could yawn. “Hey, tell me something.”

“What?”

“How well did you get along with Richard Marx?” A devilish grin went Lance’s direction, who rolled his eyes. “Any calls or e-mails from him?”

“Fine, I guess. He’s sent me a few arrangements to look at and called to see if I could help him out with some stuff.” Her desk chair squeaked. “Why?”

“No reason. Just curious.”

“Okay, well, work calls, little bro. I’m gonna have to let you go.”

“All right. Have fun.”

“I’ll try. When Josh gets done, tell him I’ll probably be up late if he wants to call me back after y’all get some food. If not, that’s okay, too.”

“Oh, you know he’ll be talking to you by the time we make it back to the hotel.” Justin smiled, leaning forward on the cushions. “Give me just a sec and we’ll all say bye.”

“Sure.”

“Here goes.” He pulled the phone away from his ear and pressed the speaker button. “Jen’s got to get to work, so let’s say bye, guys.”

“Bye, Hot Stuff.” Joey sighed, rubbing his eyes. “Next time’s my turn, okay?”

“And mine, too.” Lance leaned forward in the chair. “Have a great night, Girlie.”

“You’ve got it, Joe Bear, Mississippi. You guys will want to try the Mountain of Meat at the pizza place, okay? It’s fabulous.”

“Will do, Gracie. Good luck with the movie music.”

“Thanks. Maybe he’ll be done soon.”

“Here’s hoping.” Justin laughed under his breath. “Bye, sis.”

“Bye, guys. I’ll see you in a few days.” There was a click as she ended the connection and the guys all traded smiles.

“You know what that means, right?” Joey grinned, settling back in his chair. “We’re getting fed Friday night. Score.”

“Awesome.” Lance ran his fingers though his hair, glancing toward Chris. “I still haven’t seen your new place. How do you like it?”

“It’s great. She had the entire basement redone, so I’ve got more room and she still had extra space to expand the game room and add a bathroom next to the rehearsal floor. There’s a corner for her boxing stuff and a soundproof room for her to practice her drums, too.” He sighed. “It’d be nice if I could pay her something for rent, but I sent most of the signing advance to Mom for Taylor’s tuition …”

“Hey, she wouldn’t have offered it to you if that’s what she wanted.” Justin’s elbow nudged his side. “You’re family, so she’s trying to take care of you since the rest of us are covered. Just keep her laughing, give her a lot of hugs, and eat whatever she puts in front of you. That’ll be what makes her happy.”

“I know. I just …”

“So how do you guys know Jen?” Ed turned toward them as he waited for Sammy to close out JC’s last session. “You record a lot of her stuff?”

“Oh, we go way back.” Chris grinned. “She’s pretty much our den mother. She herds us like cats, and we’ve just given up fighting with her.”

“Really? She’s a tiny thing to be taking on a group like you boys.” A dark brow arched as Ed studied the group. “Is she paired up with one of you or something?”

“Since you’re talking to us, we’ll say she belongs to Jace. If you were asking him, he’d say they’re not dating, but getting there. A work in progress.” All eyes turned to where JC was pulling out his wallet, fishing between the folds to slip out a small square photo. His features lit with a soft smile as he put it on the music stand, his thumb pressing it down. “Any other guy would have a condom in his wallet, but he carries a collection of her with him. Poor guy’s been a goner since I first met him.” Joey laughed as Ed looked toward him. “The rest of us have known her for a few years now, but they go all the way back to the first grade. Best friends who made it through high school before becoming sweethearts.”

“Well, he’s a lucky fella, isn’t he?” Nodding, Ed turned back toward the board. “You’re a lucky bunch, if she’s adopted you like that.”

“And we know it.” Lance sat back in his chair. “A lot of what we have is because of her, and we’re grateful.”

“She’s like our sister.” Justin’s brow furrowed. “You know, the big sister who knows exactly how to keep you in check, but you love her anyway? She can bake you cookies one minute, then turn around and knock you flat if you piss her off.” His eyes went to the booth, brightening with a grin as he listened to the newest take. “If this one isn’t it, it won’t be much longer. Why doesn’t he just start every session with her on the stand? It’d probably go a lot faster.”

“He’s got a method and he sticks to it.” Chris stretched out his legs. “Which picture is it now? The one from Pleasure Island?”

“No, that was back in Sweden. I think he’s been using the one Mom took on the roof of the cathedral in Berlin.” Green eyes closed as Lance crossed his ankles, smiling at the music surrounding them. “I don’t blame him. That smile of hers is killer.”

“Well, whatever he’s looking at, he needs to keep it up.” Ed spoke over them as the track closed out, then put on his headset and twisted the microphone closer to him, firing it live to speak into the booth. “Man, I don’t know what you’re aiming for, but if that wasn’t it, then we’re gonna be here all night. That was gold, kid.”

“Thanks.” JC’s voice was tinny as it carried through the room. “Can you play it back for me?”

“Sure thing. Let us finish it out and we’ll set it up.” Moving his fingers over the board, he began cuing up all the takes from the day, watching as they layered into the computer beside him. “Just for giggles, we’ll play a rough mix of it. Sit tight.” After a few minutes, he clicked a few buttons, then sat back as the track began playing through the studio. “There you are, boys.”

They all began to grin as the first chorus began, the mix needing just a little more blending, but otherwise perfect. By the time it was over, JC had come out of the booth and was standing with the rest of them, applauding themselves for a job well done. “That’s our winner. Thanks Ed, Sammy. You guys have been great.”

“Hey, we’re just here to do a job.” Sammy turned to watch the equipment, making sure all the data was stored correctly so they could hand it over to the engineers for final production. “You’re the ones who worked it out. Good times, fellas.”

“You guys head on out of here. It’s been a long day.” Ed shooed them toward the door. “Go grab a bite, call your girl and we’ll finish up.”

“Call our girl?” JC’s brow furrowed as he grabbed his jacket, picked up his phone and began following the group. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Gracie called while you were in the booth.” Chris pushed through the door ahead of them. “Said we should do pizza over the sandwiches. And she’s too short to do her laundry. Get the girl a step ladder when we get home.”

“Okay.” He let out a quick laugh, then sobered as he remembered that her first therapy session had been scheduled after her morning classes. “How did she sound?”

“Fine. She’s working on some movie request things, so she’ll be up late if you want to call her back.” Justin spoke up as they moved toward the elevators. “And she was letting me know that she and I have a date in March. You okay with that?”

“Ah, she got it worked out. Great.” JC bit back another laugh as he slid the phone into his pocket. “Back at Christmas, she was saying that she wants to do something special with each of you this year instead of getting you birthday gifts. I’m pretty sure the times won’t match up, so she’ll be surprising all of you at one point or another.” His elbow nudged Justin. “Looks like you’re first, J.”

“Sweet. So we can try to guess what she picks for the rest of us by watching what she does for him.” Joey grinned widely. “You’re the guinea pig, kid.”

“Perfect.” Blue eyes rolled playfully. “But it’s Shorty. Whatever it is, you know it’ll be awesome.” Glancing over, he caught JC’s smile as he tried to appear innocent. “You know where we’re going, don’t you?”

“Yep.”

“Any hints?”

“Not a chance. She’s excited to surprise you, and I’m not ruining it for her.” Shaking his head, JC led them in a right turn as they left the building. “You’ll just have to wait and see. Pizza’s this way, guys.”

“Really? Not even one little hint?” Justin grumbled, following quickly. “Come on, man …”

----------------------------------------

March 25, 1998

“You’re kidding.” Justin’s eyes were wide as she pulled the Corvette into a front parking space. “Seriously?”

“It’s late, but happy birthday, J.” She grinned over at him as she cut the engine. “I really don’t know much about the game, so you’ll have to talk me through it.”

“No way.” He stared at the arena, then turned back to her. “The Magic and the Bulls? Really? How’d you swing that?”

“It really wasn’t as hard as I was afraid it would be.” Jen reached into the center console for her wallet. “I have a friend on the board at the Orlando Theatre whose husband works with the Magic. The two organizations are charity partners and he was a huge fan of Les Mis. When he got caught in a bind and needed entertainment for the team’s benefit gala last month, he was more than happy to do me a favor in exchange for my time.”

“This is awesome!” A bright smile lit his face as he leaned across to hug her tightly. “We’re here all kinds of early, though. They won’t even be warming up for more than two hours.”

“I know.” She nodded toward his knees. “Open the glove box.”

“Why?” The box popped open and his brow furrowed as he pulled out the laminated passes and lanyards. “What’s this?”

“They’re hosting a donor’s event this afternoon. Both teams are having a meet and greet with Prime Level donors to the Boys and Girls Club before they start warming up.” With a shrug, she bit back a grin. “I may have made a donation. It’s a great cause, you know.”

“Meet and greet?” He choked on the words, then tried to breathe. “With both teams? We get to meet Michael Jordan?”

“Yep. They’ll have photographers and everything.” She reached behind her seat. “I asked your mom for one of your jerseys, so you could wear it tonight. She thought the red one was your favorite. Number twenty-three, right?”

“Uh, yeah. That’s perfect.” His fingers closed over the jersey she passed to him. “Jen …”

“We should get a move on.” Glancing down at her watch, she moved to open the door. “They’ll be starting soon. When we go in, they’ll give you a charity jersey for the players to autograph. After they finish up, we’ve got reservations in the clubhouse for dinner, so we can watch the teams warming up while we eat. Then we’re courtside just behind the Chicago bench. I know you like the Magic, but we’ll have to be Bulls fans tonight.” Getting out of the car, she draped her lanyard around her neck. “Make sure to hang on to your passcard. Your ticket information is attached to it. Let’s hit it, J.”

“Oh, my God.” He breathed deeply, then grinned as he got out of the car and pulled the jersey on over his shirt, the lanyard going over his head. Turning to where she was waiting for him, he wrapped his arms around her and lifted her from the ground, spinning a quick circle as he kissed her cheek repeatedly. “You rock so hard, Shorty. Seriously. Best gift ever. Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.” She smiled, hugging his neck. “I wanted to do something special with each of you before the group gets so big that it’s hard to go out without a fuss. As much as I love you all, I know I may not get to have you around forever.” Shrugging, she laughed softly. “Besides, what’s the point in having connections if I can’t use them to do something nice for my guys?”

“We’re always going to be your guys, no matter how big we get.” Justin set her down, then draped his arm over her shoulders as they began walking toward the arena. “You’re stuck with me, sis.”

“I wouldn’t have it any other way.” Her hip bumped him playfully. “Now, let’s go meet your hero.”

***************************

“It’s all kinds of weird to be watching the game without the kid.” Joey spoke up as he carried a bowl of tortilla chips into the living room. “They’re his favorite teams. And who’s gonna hog the queso?”

“We are.” JC took the bowl of cheesy salsa dip from the microwave, stirring it quickly before putting it back in and starting it again. “I kept telling Jen that we could just order a pizza or something, but she wasn’t having it.” He glanced up as Lance walked by the counter. “Hey, man … grab the sausage balls, will you?”

“Yep.” Picking up the platter, he moved to the fridge and grabbed a few drinks to carry with him. “You want a soda? Or water?”

“Soda’s good. Thanks.”

“Actually, it’s kind of weird for it to be guys’ night, period.” Chris looked around the kitchen quickly, grinning when he found the container of cookies she’d promised. “I’m so used to Gracie being around, I think I’ve forgotten what it’s like for her to not be here.”

“Well, I’m sure they’re having a good time.” JC opened the microwave when it beeped again, smiling when there was a light steam rising from the bowl. “Perfect.”

“Have you talked to her?” Pulling a few more drinks from the fridge, Joey arched a brow at him. “Or is it all about Curly today?”

“She had class this morning and was working with Brian through lunch so they could finish early, but I saw her for a few minutes before she left to pick him up. She had to walk me through reheating everything. Like I can’t work a microwave.” Carrying the dip out of the kitchen, he shook his head. “Other than that, I’m not bothering her. This is her time with J, and I want her to have fun.”

“I noticed that he’s getting the Corvette treatment. Must be something major.” Picking up the remote, Chris raised the volume a bit as the announcers began talking about the game, the teams coming onto the court. “It kinda sucks that he’s missing this, though.”

“It’s all good.” JC settled on the couch with a chuckle, reaching for his drink as he studied the screen. “He’s loving life right now.”

“Right. You know what they were doing.” Lance dipped a chip in the cheese, leaning forward so he wouldn’t drip. “Is it safe for you to tell us where she took him, or do we have to wait it out?”

“Oh, you’ll find out. Trust me.”

“You’re being awfully calm, what with your girl being out with your friend.” Joey laughed, nudging him with his foot. “What gives? Not worried about her at all?”

“Nope. She wants to spend quality time with you guys, and I’m cool with that. I know she’ll be taken care of.” With a shrug, he took a swig of soda. “The way I figure it, if something happens that I don’t like, I won’t have to go very far to beat somebody’s ass.”

“That’s true.” Chris bit into a sausage ball and chewed quickly. “Can you at least tell us who’s next?”

“She doesn’t have a definite plan yet, but I’m pretty sure Joe is her next target.” His brow furrowed. “She’s been kicking around a few ideas, but it may take her a while to work it out. I think she was trying to keep it in order of your birthdays, but it didn’t really pan out.”

“Awesome. If the kid is winning, then I’m probably gonna score, too.” Suddenly sitting up straight, Joey nearly dropped his drink. “Oh, no way.”

“What?” Chris looked over at him quickly, then focused back on the game. “Is one of the cheerleaders topless or something?”

“Dude, seriously?” Dark eyes turned toward JC, sparking with humor as he watched his friend trying not to smile. “He really is loving life right now, isn’t he?”

“Man, what are you talking about?” Lance shook his head as a player for the Magic missed a basket.

“The next time they show the Chicago bench, look in the first row courtside.” Joey sat back with a laugh. “Just wait for it.” A few minutes later, the camera panned back across the bench of Bulls players, pausing in the perfect spot to show Justin and Jen, cheering from a pair of the best seats in the arena. “This game was sold out months ago. How did she manage that?”

“She just happened to know the right people and traded favors.” JC grinned, reaching for the chips. “The head of the Magic charity board needed entertainment for their benefit event, so Jenny stepped up in exchange for the VIP treatment tonight. Bringing in the local Grammy winner to perform helped them sell out their gala.”

“His surprise was going to the game?” Chris blinked in confusion. “But they left hours too early for that. Did they hit up a five-star restaurant first or something?”

“There was a meet and greet with the players before warmup, something to do with donations to the Boys and Girls Club. Jen was happy to put money into a worthy cause if it meant J could meet Michael Jordan.” The camera swept over them once again and he tried to get a good look at their clothes. “They were doing autographs, photos and stuff, so I’ll bet the jersey she’s got on is going to end up behind glass in J’s bedroom. He’ll never wash or wear it again.”

“They got to meet Jordan?” Lance’s eyes widened before he burst into laughter. “Okay, Justin’s peaked with today. Nothing will ever top that.”

“She literally made one of his dreams come true.” Chris’s voice was filled with awe. “My God, you guys.” He looked around him, grinning widely. “Gracie’s working miracles this year. Wonder what she’s got for the rest of us?”

“I don’t know …” Popping a sausage ball in his mouth, Joey chewed with a smile. “But if J got His Airness, I can’t wait to see it.”

----------------------------------------

May 7, 1998

Something was wrong.

Jen could feel it as she pulled into the garage, a creeping, crawling sensation chilling up her spine. Looking around the area outside the car, nothing appeared out of place or unusual. Everything was just as she’d left it when she’d loaded up Chris and JC that morning, heading out to deliver them to the airport before her classes. The goodbyes had been the same, all the guys giving her hugs before waving as they headed for their gate to board.

Even last night had been par for the course. She smiled, pulling the blue flannel tightly around her as she thought of how she’d been unable to sleep, tossing and turning for what seemed like hours. Just as she’d been about to get up and head downstairs to his room, her door had creaked open, and he’d stepped in. Without saying a word, he’d closed the door behind him and gotten into bed, sighing when she’d rolled onto her side and into his arms. He’d hugged her tightly to him, nudging her forehead with his nose until she’d tilted her chin up so he could kiss her.

For a while, he’d just held her, his mouth catching hers over and over again. Then he’d pulled back, pressing his lips to the top of her head, tucking her face against his chest and whispering how he’d miss her. “I’ll call every day, Boof. I promise. Even if it’s just for a few minutes.”

“I know you will. I’ll miss you, too.” She’d smiled and nodded against him, letting her fingers play with the hair on the back of his head. “At least you’re getting to go home for a while. You’ll have a great time with your family, and you’ll be back before you know it.”

Maybe that was what felt so wrong. Until now, the guys had been gone a few weeks at a time, finishing the record, making appearances for the release and performing promotional shows around the country. A full tour wasn’t scheduled to start until next month, but JC was planning to visit his family after their show in D.C., getting in some quality time with them before he was due in Minneapolis. Chris had the same thing in mind, heading to Ohio to see his mom and sisters. After that, they’d be coming home to begin the crash course of choreography for the taping of the TV special the Disney Channel had tapped them for.

It’d be a least a month before she got to see him again, and maybe that was what had her feeling off-kilter.

Or maybe it was that her evening class had been canceled. She wasn’t used to having free time on Thursdays, so it was an unexpected treat to find the notice posted on the classroom door, announcing that the instructor would see them for their final next week. Most of her courses this semester had required class time, pushing her final exams out later than she’d anticipated. Her break was delayed by a few weeks, but her self-study course for the summer semester looked as if it would be a breeze. She hoped to catch a few shows during the tour, maybe even visit for a few days before coming back home and burying herself in prep work for her showcase.

Shaking her head, she fought back the unease and got out, letting the Tracker door slam as the garage door lowered. Halfway to the door into the house, she froze, listening carefully, trying to decide if she’d heard something other than the rumbling of the machinery overhead. When there was nothing but silence, she let out a laugh, berating herself for being so paranoid, and continued into the front hall, dropping the rose from her windshield into the trash. The door closed behind her, echoing through the empty house.

Jen hung her backpack on its hook and walked down the hallway toward the kitchen, flipping through the day’s mail. Yet again, something made her pause, her eyes narrowing as she focused, taking in the silence around her. “Maggie, I’m home! What do you want for dinner?” The girl’s car wasn’t parked in its usual spot, so she really didn’t expect an answer, but if there was someone else in the house, it would give them the idea that she wasn’t supposed to be alone.

When no other sound came, she shrugged and moved on into the main rooms. Dropping her wallet and keys onto the counter, she tore open an envelope and turned toward the living room. Just as she was realizing that the alarm wasn’t crying to be disarmed, she saw the figure standing still just inside the hallway leading to JC’s room. Jumping with a shriek, the letters in her hand flew to the floor, sliding every direction as her hip slammed into the kitchen stools, knocking one over with a crash.

“Sorry, Jen. It’s just me.” Mark came closer, holding out a hand cautiously. “I didn’t mean to scare you.”

“Mark?” Taking a deep breath, Jen straightened up, a shaky hand coming to her chest. “My God. You nearly gave me a heart attack.” Moving quickly around the counter as she picked up the stool and gathered her mail, she strategically put distance between them. “What are you doing here?”

“Adam sent me over with a few cases of water and soda for the party.” He gestured toward the refrigerator in the kitchen. “All but one six pack of water and two cases of Coke fit in the fridge out in the garage, so I brought them in here. I was just borrowing your bathroom when I heard you pulling in.”

“I didn’t see your car out front. How did you carry all that?” Blinking quickly, she let herself study him carefully. “And Maggie’s not here. How did you get in?”

“We’re not even two blocks away, Jen. It wasn’t that far.” A brow arched her direction as he pointed toward the two-wheeler sitting beside the front door. “I just stacked it and pushed. Brian gave me his key to the front door and Adam wrote down the security code for me.” With a shrug, he ran a hand through his hair. “I was just on my way out. Really, I didn’t mean to scare you. Are you okay?”

“Yeah.” Swallowing down the lingering panic, she nodded. “I’m good.” Forcing a smile, she glanced down at the letter in her hand. “My class was canceled tonight, so I was going to get in some work on blocking out my showcase.” Wrinkling her nose, she looked at him apologetically. “I’m afraid I’m not going to be good company.”

“I get it. Like I said, I was just on my way out.” He winked at her with a grin. “Wouldn’t want to interrupt genius, would I?”

“Genius?” She let out a laugh. “You’re the one graduating next Saturday.” Glancing toward the refrigerator, she bit her lip. “Are you and Nick sure that you don’t mind us celebrating this weekend? With finals being next week, we were afraid that some of our people would be heading home before the ceremony.”

“Oh, it’s cool.” Turning into the hallway, he began walking toward the door. “I wasn’t expecting a party at all, Jen. Thanks for thinking of us.”

“How could I not?” Following him at a distance, she watched him grab the two-wheeler and pull it after him onto the front porch. “You don’t finish college every day, you know. And with you heading off for that job in Nashville, you’ve got a lot to party about.”

“I was kind of hoping I’d get to stick around here, but I’m not going to complain about a good job back home.” He looked back at her as he started down the stairs. “Brian really did me a solid, talking to his friends in the country music circles. And it made more sense for Nick to take the spot at the studio, since he’s a local.”

“I’m just happy that it worked out for everybody.” The further down the driveway he got, the more she relaxed. Sighing quietly, she returned his wave. “I’ll see you Saturday.”

“See you, Jenny.” The two-wheeler bounced behind him on the sidewalk. “Don’t work too hard!”

Once he’d turned the corner, she went back inside, making sure all the locks were secured. After setting the alarm, she moved quickly toward the kitchen, grabbing the cordless phone off the counter and dialing. A few rings later, Maggie answered, laughter lifting her voice. “Hey, Jen. What’s up?”

“Did Brian give Mark his key to get into the house?” Her words were rapid-fire, humorless. “And did Adam give him the security code?”

“I-I don’t know. Hang on.” Maggie’s tone was startled, fading away as she spoke to someone in the background. A sigh carried over the line. “It would seem that they did, yes.”

“Tell them both that they’re officially off my happy list.” Jen gritted her teeth and headed down the hall toward JC’s room, still feeling uncomfortable. “I’m barely okay with him being here with the group. Coming home to find him roaming around with nobody here, doing God knows what, when he already gives me the creeps … that’s not cool, Maggie.”

“He was there when you got home?”

“Yep. Just standing in the hallway, not making a sound.” Brown eyes narrowed when she noticed that JC’s door was slightly ajar. She was sure he’d closed it before leaving that morning. “Nearly scared me to death.” Pushing the door open slowly, she stepped into the room, looking around carefully. “He said he’d just come in to drop off drinks and was using the bathroom, but Josh’s door was closed when we left earlier, and now it’s not.”

“Is anything missing?”

“I can’t tell.” She turned a slow circle, trying to take inventory. “He moved a few things when he was packing up yesterday. If something’s gone, I don’t know what it would be.” Swallowing hard, she checked the bathroom. “The whole place just feels off.”

“I’m sure it’s nothing, Jen.”

“Maybe, but I just don’t know about him, Mags. He gives me seriously bad vibes. There’s something wrong with him, and I don’t want him here unless one of us is home and the guys are with him. If my class hadn’t been canceled … there’s no telling how long he was here, or how much longer he’d planned on staying.” Her breathing was shaky as she closed the door behind her, walking back to the living room. “I want everybody’s keys back.”

“Seriously, Jen …”

“Exactly. I’m dead serious.” Sitting down on the couch, she looked around the house. “As soon as you get home, I’m calling the security company and changing the code. Tomorrow, I’m getting an appointment to have the locks changed.” A groan escaped as she thought more about it. “For all I know, he had the key long enough to make a copy. Thank God Chris and I are the only ones with keys to his place.”

“You’re starting to freak out, girl. Take deep breaths.”

“I know.” Jen obeyed, breathing deeply, only to have chills go over her neck again. “It really feels like there’s someone watching me, Mags.” Her fingers rubbed over her skin, trying to massage away the creepy feeling. A shadow passed across the backyard and her attention jerked to the patio doors. “Something’s not right.”

“Okay, okay. I’ll head that way right now.” There was a garbled voice behind her. “Brian’s just about to lock up. Can he and Adam stop by, too?”

“Sure. They’d better have apologies ready.”

“Oh, they will.” Maggie pushed through the door of the studio, then came the sound of traffic as she walked to her car. “And they’ll sweep the place from top to bottom if it makes you feel better.”

“Good.” Jen kept staring at the patio, studying every shadow that passed over the yard. “Be careful, but hurry. Please.”

Fifteen minutes later, all three of her friends had arrived and Brian and Adam had been through every room in the house. Finding nothing, they headed out the sliding door to check the backyard. Stopping on the patio, the guys stared down at the cement, brows knitting at the wet footprints that seemed to lead into the house, then back to the grass. Brian cleared his throat, eyes narrowed in concern. “Hey Jen?”

“Yeah?” She left the kitchen and crossed through the living room, wiping her hands on a towel. “What is it?”

“Are your sprinklers on a timer?”

“They should be. The landscapers left a schedule and instructions to reset the system over by the control box, just in case the power went out.” Her eyes widened when she saw the footprints they’d found. “I don’t usually notice when they’re on, so I figured they were mostly running while I’m in class.”

“Okay.” Adam went over to study the sign she’d pointed out. “What time did you get home?”

“Around seven. I left my car parked at the Music building, so I had to walk back across campus after my class was canceled.” She swallowed thickly. “They were still running when I got home tonight, but I don’t know when they would’ve cut off.”

“They should’ve been running from six forty-five to seven fifteen.” Glancing toward Brian, Adam raised his brows. “As warm as it is, for the tracks to still be wet, they would’ve been here when we got here. Or they’d been here a while, thought about leaving, but doubled back so we wouldn’t see them.” He rubbed a hand over the back of his neck. “I don’t think this was Mark. Why would he be in the backyard when he had everything he needed to go in through the front?”

“But what if he let someone in after he disarmed the alarm, then we got here before they could leave?” Brian looked up when Maggie came to stand behind Jen, green eyes growing large at the markings on the cement, drying quickly in the heat. “Why would he do that, though? There’s nothing missing, right?”

“Not that I can tell.” Jen took a shaky breath. “Josh’s door was open, but I don’t know what would’ve been in there that anybody would want. His TV and stereo are where they’ve always been.” Her brow knit as she tried to think. “What else would they have taken?”

“I don’t know, but I don’t like it.” Running a hand through his hair, Brian studied both girls. “We’ve already checked every room and closet on all three levels. There’s nobody here but us. Whoever came in is long gone.”

“I felt like I was being watched.” Jen’s hand gripped Maggie’s tightly. “While I was talking to Maggie after Mark left, I was sure somebody was staring at me.” Her eyes moved quickly over the patio. “And I saw a shadow out here right when my skin started to crawl. Somebody was standing here watching me, but the patio was dark, so I couldn’t see them.” She found the pair of prints to the side of the door, just out of view from the living room, and fear lit her features as she pointed them out and met Adam’s gaze. “I don’t think anybody actually came in the house from here. Mark was only to the corner when I came back in. Would he have had time to run back and go through the yard while I was locking up and calling you guys?”

“There’s no telling, Jenny. I guess it’s possible.” Adam shook his head and looked back to Brian. “What do you want to do?”

“I’m staying here tonight.” Brian moved through the doorway and back into the house, draping an arm around each girl as he led them toward the couch. “Jen’s going to have the locks changed, just like she said. I think when you call to change the alarm code, you should ask if they can upgrade you to a system that includes cameras.”

“A camera system?” Jen glanced at him as he sat down. “How many cameras do I need?”

“At least coverage for the exterior. A few interiors might be nice, too.” He shrugged. “Nothing in the bedrooms, but maybe a few for the main level – the living room and hallways – and one for both garages. Is there an entrance through the basement?”

“Just out of Chris’ place, but that door locks on his side. They’d have to be inside the apartment to get through. Or have a key, if they were going the other way.”

“Then a camera in his garage should be fine. That’s his only way in, right?”

“Yeah, unless he comes through the front with Josh.”

“Okay.” His attention went back to the patio doors. “You should probably have Shan take a look at your patio entrance and see if he can either find you some better doors or a second set that can lock over those. I know it’s wired to the alarm system, but that sliding door really won’t go far in keeping someone out.”

“I’ll call him as soon as I finish with the alarm company.” She smiled as she headed for the kitchen, pulling a packet of papers from the drawer underneath the phone. “I can probably bribe him into checking it out with dinner tomorrow night.”

“What should I tell the others when I get home?” Adam plopped down in the recliner. “They’re gonna wonder where you are.”

“Just tell them that Jen wanted to go over some stuff for her showcase and it looked like we’d be working late, so I decided to crash here.” Brian pulled Maggie into his side. “I keep a bag in my car just in case I get stuck at the studio, so I’ve already got some clothes with me.” His brow creased in consideration. “Don’t clue Nick in on the details. The less he knows, the better.”

“Are you just staying tonight?” Maggie pressed into him, lacing her fingers through his, the trembling of her hand the only sign of her discomfort. “It’ll probably be next week before the locks can be changed, and who knows when they’ll get the new system installed.”

“Baby, I’ll stay as long as you want me to.” He leaned in for a quick kiss, then grinned over at Adam. “Change of story. The lock on the patio door is broken and it’s causing a glitch in the alarm that’s having to be fixed. Until it’s all good, I’m staying put.”

“Good.” She squeezed his hand with a laugh, then turned to watch Jen talking on the phone, nodding at whatever the security agent was telling her and jotting down some notes. “She knew the entire time that something was wrong, and I tried to play it off like she was just freaking out.”

“She knows you didn’t mean it.” Adam sighed, letting the footrest kick out. “I’ve never known anybody who could read people like she does. Those vibes she gets are pretty much always spot on.” He stretched with a groan. “I guess it’s a good thing Mark’s headed back home the week after next, huh?”

“That was the plan, yeah.”

“The plan?” Maggie looked up at Brian’s words. “You planned for him to have to go work in Nashville?”

“I didn’t call any of my other friends, just the folks that would get him out of here.”

“Why?” Her brow furrowed. “I thought he wanted to stay in Orlando?”

“He does. But I’m putting real stock in Jen’s vibes.” He let his fingers run through her hair. “Something’s always seemed off about him. I was happy to find work for him, but I wasn’t about to look for anything close.” Pausing for a second, he took a deep breath. “You know those flowers she’s been getting for the past few years?”

“Yeah.” Green eyes narrowed as she studied his face. “You think it’s him? Mark’s the one who’s been leaving her the roses?”

“I’m not positive, but I think he looks good for it.”

Damn.” She cursed under her breath. “I was really hoping it was Jace, being sweet until he finally locked everything down.” Her red hair bounced as she shook her head. “What makes you think it’s Mark?”

“You should’ve seen him when he first met her. The only way I can think of to describe it is smitten. He was after her for weeks to go out with him, and when she turned him down, it really ate at him. Once the guys went overseas, his attitude changed.” He scratched the back of his head, gathering his thoughts. “Other than the first few, she only gets them when she’s parked on campus. His schedule matches hers pretty well, so he’s there when she is. He didn’t have classes or anything when she was at rehearsals for that first show, so it wouldn’t have been anything for him to find her car at the theatre. And considering what happened today …”

“Okay. Yeah, it could be him.” With a sigh, she rested her head on his shoulder. “I’m glad he’s leaving, then. Those flowers were really starting to give her the creeps.”

“If she doesn’t get any more after he’s gone, then we’ll know for sure.” He squeezed her tightly, his attention going to the TV as Adam turned it on. “Until then, you both need to be careful. A better security system and new locks are great, but even they can’t keep out everything.” Clearing his throat, he straightened up a bit when Jen sat down on the other end of the couch. “Well, what did they say?”

“One of their installation units will be here tomorrow to do an inspection and map out the system. They won’t be able to actually begin installing it until next Tuesday.” Jen leaned forward to look at Maggie. “I’ll be here tomorrow, but I’ve got my first final Tuesday morning, and won’t be finished until after lunch. Can you stick around until I get back?”

“Yeah, my tests are Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, so Amber gave me the week off for the extended class times. I can stay all day if you need me to.”

“Great. Thanks.”

“And what about Shan?” Brian glanced briefly away from the basketball game on the TV. “Did you call him?”

“Yep.” She let out a quiet laugh. “Turns out he’d already ordered doors to replace this one while he was working on the remodel, then decided he’d only use them if I mentioned it. Mac doesn’t like the sliding door, either, and wanted them installed, so they were going to give them to me as a birthday gift this year. He’ll be by tomorrow night to put them in.”

“I’ll help him out, then. More hands might make the work faster.”

“I can swing by, too, if you want. I’ve got a test after lunch, but I could be here by six or so.” Adam spoke up with a smile. “We’ll get it finished in no time.”

“Sounds good to me.” Jen shrugged. “While you guys are working, I’ll fix something for dinner.” Her brow furrowed. “Spaghetti with meatballs? And some garlic French bread?” A quick nod followed. “I’ll call and invite Mom and Mac, too. They should probably know what’s going on.”

“Yeah. And are you going to tell Jace?” Maggie arched a brow at her. “Have you talked to him today?”

“Not since the airport this morning.” Looking down at her watch, Jen shook her head. “If they aren’t working on choreography, they’re probably settling in at the hotel. It’ll be later before I talk to him.” With a sigh, she sat back. “I’ll tell him, but it won’t be tonight. When I have the new codes and keys, I’ll give him a heads up.” Biting her lip, she let out a laugh. “Hell, I’ll probably wait until the week after next to spill it. My last test isn’t until that Thursday, so maybe he won’t get too mad at me if he thinks it’ll distract me.”

“Why not tonight?” Adam’s brow furrowed as he leaned around the chair to look at her. “What difference does it make?”

“Because if I tell him now, he’ll want to come home after their show instead of staying with his family.” Biting her lip, she thought it over. “He hasn’t seen them in months, and if he misses out on it now, he won’t get another chance to visit until sometime in the fall.” Picking up a pillow, she hugged it to her chest. “I can’t put that on him. Besides, Brian will be here, so everything will be okay.”

“He’s not gonna like that.” Maggie’s voice was sing-song as she tried not to laugh. “You’re gonna be in trouble.”

“He’ll have to get over it.” Jen sing-songed back, before tossing the pillow at her. “I’m a big girl, and he can’t be here for everything. He’ll just have to try to understand.”

 

 

End Notes:

And it's finally up.  Seems like everything takes longer to finish this time of year, doesn't it?  *laughs*  Has anybody else noticed the hit counter seems a bit off?  I'm having a hard time believing this little ditty got over 300 hits in two weeks - that's all kinds of extreme.  Anywho, wishes for a very Merry Christmas to all!

Chapter Twenty Six by Renee

May 20, 1998

The men in the living room had just finished cheering the scoring team on the TV when the cell phone began chirping on the coffee table. Turning away from the commercial break, JC picked it up and read the display, smiling when he saw the number. Flipping it open, he sat back on the couch. “Hey, Boof.”

“Hey.” The group around him laughed at something, and she paused for a second. “Is this a bad time? I can call back later.”

“No, it’s fine. The clan decided to gather to watch the playoffs.” The entire bunch yelled a loud hello, prompting her to laugh. Rolling his eyes when Aaron nudged him with his shoulder, he stood and stretched. “I was gonna call you when the game was over, but it looks like you beat me to it. What’s up?”

“Nothing much. I just wanted to let you know I had the locks changed, so I’ll have a new key for you when you come in next week.” He could hear her swallowing before she continued. “And there’s a new security code, too.”

“Really?” His eyes narrowed suspiciously. “What happened?”

“Everything’s okay.” She hesitated. “We had an … incident.”

“An incident?” His tone brought silence to the men around him. “What kind of incident? Are you okay?”

“I’m perfectly fine, Josh. I was just shaken up, that’s all.”

“If you’re changing the locks and codes, then that’s a little more than shaken up, Jen.” He glanced over at Aaron’s raised brow. “What happened?”

“I came home and found Mark walking around the house.”

“Walking around the house? Like in the yard?”

“No, he was standing in the hallway.”

“He was in the house?” Blue eyes widened, meeting his father’s concerned expression. “How did he get in the house?”

“Bad judgement on Brian and Adam’s part. They had drinks for the party and sent him over to drop them off. Brian gave him the key and Adam gave him the code. They’ve been chewed out for their stupidity.” She sighed. “My last class was canceled, so I got home early, and he was just going through the place, pretty as you please. Scared me half to death.”

“Had he just gotten there?”

“I don’t know. I don’t think so, but there’s no telling how long he was here, or how much longer he’d planned to stay.” There was a pause, then she went on. “Did you close your bedroom door before we left for the airport?”

“I think so.” He thought back, trying to remember. “Yeah. I put on my backpack, picked up my bag and pulled it to when we walked out.” In consideration of his audience, he edited out the part where he’d been pausing repeatedly to kiss her during that series of events, dropping his bag to pull her to him for an especially deep kiss in the hallway before they headed out to meet Chris in the garage. “Why?”

“He was in that hall when I found him. After he left, I went through, and your door was cracked open.” There was a squeaking noise, and he knew she was in her office. “I looked around, but I don’t think anything’s missing, so I wasn’t sure if he’d really been in there or not.”

“I’ll check it out when I get back.” There seemed to be something missing from her story. “There’s something else, isn’t there?” Silence carried over the line. “What else, Jenny?”

“I called Maggie while I was looking around, because something felt wrong. I felt like someone was watching me.” She cleared her throat quietly. “She’d been at the studio, and Brian and Adam came back with her. They went in every room and didn’t find anything, but when they went onto the patio, they found footprints where someone had walked through the yard and stood at the sliding door.”

“Someone was at the back door? Was it Mark?”

“We don’t know. The sprinklers are on a timer and were still running when I got home.” A deep breath carried over the line. “I only watched him until he was at the corner before coming back in. He might’ve been able to run back that quickly, but the more I think about it, I’m pretty sure it was someone else.”

“Are you positive they were there after you got home?”

“The footprints we found came up to the patio door, then moved to the side so I couldn’t see them from the living room. And my skin was crawling the entire time I was talking to Maggie. I think they were there long enough for the first tracks to dry and tried to leave, but saw Brian and Adam coming, so they ran back around the house to the patio, then left once the guys started checking everything. We were busy looking in the house, so we didn’t pay attention to the yard, and when we went to check upstairs, they just ran around from the back and on down the street.”

“My God, Boof.” Glancing toward the TV, he noticed that the commercial break had ended and turned to walk toward the kitchen. “So new locks and a new code?”

“Yeah. Shan replaced the lock on the screen porch and put in new doors for the patio that are more secure, and Brian stayed with us until the locksmith and security people could get here to do their installations. The security system has video surveillance now and there’s a few alarm key fob things that will alert if the system is tripped. Maggie and I will each keep one and I gave Mom the last, since she and Mac are so close.”

“Sounds good.” He leaned against the counter, brow furrowing as something she’d said flashed back to him. “Wait. He was bringing drinks for the party? When was the party?”

“Uh, last Saturday.”

“Last Saturday?” His mind raced, ticking back the days. “When did all this happen?”

“Damn.” He could picture her shaking her head. “God, I hate it when she’s right.”

“Who?”

“Maggie. She told me I’d be in trouble for waiting.” A stuttering sigh carried across the line. “Josh, please don’t get mad …”

“Waiting? How long has it been, Jenny?”

“The day you left. After I dropped you off at the airport.”

“The day I left?” He moved across the room and dropped into one of the chairs around the table, his head resting on his hand. “That was two weeks ago, Jen! We’ve talked every day since I’ve been here, and you waited two weeks to tell me you walked in on somebody going through the house?”

“Well, like I said, Brian stayed with us.” She cleared her throat again, and her tone wavered. “I didn’t want you to worry, Josh. And I didn’t want …”

“I would’ve come home, Boof.” His eyes closed, and he never registered the footsteps coming into the room. “As soon as that show was over, I’d have hopped a flight right back home to you.”

That’s what I didn’t want.” He could hear tears in her voice. “You haven’t seen your family in months, and I didn’t want you to have that decision to make. I knew everything would be okay, and you’ve got to spend time with them while you have the chance.” A sniffle carried to him. “Please don’t make me feel guilty for handling this so you can be where you need to be.”

“I know, I know. I’m sorry.” Taking a deep breath, he jerked when a hand squeezed his shoulder. “It’s okay. Please don’t cry, Jenny. I’m sorry.” Looking up, he found his father taking the seat across from him. “It’s just … God, I wish I could be in two places at once.”

“I know.” A shaky smile entered her tone. “If my finals had already been over, I’d have flown up there with you.”

“That’s right. You’ve been testing this week.” At the change in topic, he felt himself calming down. “How many do you have left?”

“One more tomorrow night and I’m done.”

“Good. I want to hear all about how you ace it.”

“If I’m going to ace it, then I probably need to get in some last-minute studying in for it.” The desk chair squeaked again, and he could picture her twisting back and forth. “I really just wanted to let you know about the new key and give you the new code. A part of me was praying that Aaron and the guys would be visiting so you’d be distracted and not think to press me.”

“Yeah, well, tough luck.” Letting out a laugh, he glanced back at the older man still sitting with him. “Hit me with the new numbers and I’ll pass them on to Chris. Does he have new keys, too?”

“No. He and I are the only ones with keys to his part of the house, and it didn’t look like anyone had gotten into his garage, so they stayed the same. And I’m hoping the code is so simple, nobody will think of it. 0876.”

“Your birth month and year?” Shaking his head, he rolled his eyes. “Totally not original, Boof.”

Our birth month and year. Easy to remember.” She clarified, then continued. “I know it’s a few weeks out, but make sure to let me know when you’re flying back in. I’m gonna try to be there to meet you at the airport. If Mac sends me somewhere, I’ll leave your keys on the kitchen counter. Chris can let you in through the basement.”

“Okay.” Clearing his throat, he leaned back in his chair. “Just … don’t keep things from me, Jen. I can’t be with you as much as I want, so please keep me in the loop on what’s going on. I need to know you’re all right.”

“I won’t do it again. I promise. If I was with you, I’d seal it with a pinkie swear.” He could hear her smile. “Or a kiss. Whichever works.”

“Uh huh. You know which one I’d choose.” With a grin, he ran his fingers through his hair. “Okay, I’ll let you go so you can study, but I’m keeping my word that I’ll call you every day.” His brow furrowed when Roy gestured toward the phone, silently asking him to pass it over. “Uh, I think Dad wants the phone for a minute. When will your test be over?”

“I should be home around seven thirty. Class is starting two hours earlier, so we’ll have enough time to finish.”

“I’ll try for around eight, then. Okay?”

“That’ll be perfect. Talk to you later, Josh.”

“Later, Boof.” With a questioning look, JC passed the phone over. “Here she is.”

“Hey there, Munchkin.” Roy’s voice was soothing as he spoke softly. “You okay?” There was a pause, then a smile. “Yeah, I figured you had everything under control. This boy of mine just likes to think he’s got all his ducks in a row. I’d say you’re probably the cutest of the bunch.” A brief silence was followed by a laugh. “That’s true. But see, whether he says it or not, he loves you, so he’s bound to worry about you. Just like you worry over him when he’s not around.” His eyes came up to meet his son’s, a knowing expression settling over his features. “He just wants to know that you need him, Jen, even if he can’t be there.” A wide grin formed. “Oh, I hear you. And you can always call us if you need to, sweetheart. Or even if you just want to. Karen and I miss having you around.” Another pause, then his brows arched in consideration. “Two or three weeks? We might can swing it this summer, but you just had the kids down last month. Are you sure you want all of us for that long?” He laughed again. “Bribing me with your lasagna is just playing dirty. All right, sweetie, we’ll let you know soon. Good luck on your exam tomorrow, okay? Bye, Jenny.” Passing the phone back to him, Roy chuckled, shaking his head. “Well, son, I think I have to agree with your mother.”

“On what?”

“Pretty much everything.” He grinned, running his fingers through his hair. “But in this case … if you screw that up, we’ll both disown you.”

“What?” Blue eyes widened in surprise. “Screw what up?”

“Jen.” Sitting back in his chair, Roy studied JC carefully. “You were always a great kid, with a good head on your shoulders. I never questioned any of your decisions, never let you know if I didn’t agree with you. But when you turned thirteen and started bringing other girls around, I wanted to grab you by the collar and shake some sense into you.”

“Why?”

“Because your perfect match was right beside you, looking at you with her heart in her eyes, and you couldn’t even see it.” A deep sigh lifted his chest as he crossed his arms. “It didn’t take much to figure out what she did so you could go to that dance, you know. I asked Steve about it not long after, and he told me she’d said something along the lines of not being able to keep quiet and let you miss out on your first real date.”

“Really?”

“Yep. She felt like it was time to step back, because she didn’t think she was girlfriend material.” Roy tilted his head. “It didn’t matter so much then, because you got over it pretty quickly. But when you got old enough to date, she started making herself scarce whenever the girl of the hour was around. Your mom started worrying, because she knew that once you buckled down and really got serious about one of them, Jen would make herself an afterthought.” A brow arched. “You may not realize it, Josh, but if you lose her, we lose her. No matter how old you two get, she’s a part of this family. My Munchkin. And I won’t take it too well if I have to see her go.”

“I get it, Dad.” JC fought back a smile. “If I have my way, you won’t need to worry about that.”

“Oh?”

“Don’t play dumb, old man. You’ve already figured it out.” His eyes narrowed playfully. “She’s better than just girlfriend material, and you know it.”

“That’s what I was hoping for.” Roy’s shoulders shook with a chuckle. “We don’t have a front row seat like Lisa does, so we’ve been pretty much in the dark on what’s going on. When you came back from Europe, I knew as soon as you stopped in the kitchen doorway that something was up between you. You snuck out at Thanksgiving. Then whatever happened at Christmas went down and you wound up with her again.” A smile made his eyes lighten. “But what I heard you say when I walked in here just now … that’s what proves it.”

“What did I say?”

“That you’d have gotten on a flight and gone home to her.”

“Well, I would have.” Laughing quietly, JC propped an elbow on the table, letting his chin rest in his hand. “Or I would’ve tried to, anyway. She’d have killed me if I hadn’t stayed here.”

“No, son. It’s not that you would’ve gone.” Roy clapped a sturdy hand over his son’s shoulder again. “It’s that you’ve figured out she’s your home.” His fingers gave a squeeze. “You’ve been back and forth from Orlando for years, but I never heard you call it home until she got there.”

“That’s because it wasn’t home until she got there.” With a shrug, JC’s fingers spun the phone across the tabletop. “When I look at Jen, I see home. I want to be where she is, because she makes me happy. When she’s with me, where I can keep an eye on her and make sure everything’s okay, it just feels right. It’s gonna kill me when the tour starts up next month, because I’ve gotten so used to seeing her all the time. Having to leave her again … it’ll almost be like going back overseas.” His brow furrowed. “If her tests hadn’t been scheduled for this week, she would’ve come with me to see you guys.”

“I know, Josh. It’s not hard to see that you love her.” Dark brows bunched. “Everybody can see that you love her. The question is whether or not you’ve clued her in to it.”

“We’ve said it, but we were saying goodbye at the airport, so I’m not really sure it counts for much.” His eyes came up to meet his father’s. “We have an understanding. When I left for Sweden, I asked her to wait for me, and she said she would. I didn’t think we’d be back this soon and coming home was awesome, but we’ve been all over the country since January, and she’s only got until December before she finishes her degree.”

“She’s working on her senior showcase – this concert where she has to pull together performances of the songs she’s written and the pieces she’s composed while she’s been in school and present it to a board that’ll decide how well she’s done with her program studies.” With a sigh, he ran his fingers through his hair. “I know she’s got it in the bag, but that’s a big deal, Dad. A major deal. There’s no way she can perform all of it herself, so she’s got to get the orchestra squared away, pull together a band and get singers ready, all while finishing her last courses and going wherever Mac sends her. She’ll be spending most of the summer getting sheet music sorted out and figuring out which numbers she wants to include, then it’ll really hit the fan when the fall semester kicks in and she has to get all her people gathered and rehearsed.”

“On my side, we’ve got the routines for the Disney special to prep for filming as soon as I get back next week and show rehearsals, then we’re leaving for the tour and promotional work. Johnny’s telling us Lou wants a Christmas album released this year, so we’ll have to work that in around everything else.” Sitting back with a grunt, he let his gaze go down to the table. “Between the two of us, it’s gonna be absolutely insane for the rest of the year. We need each other’s support, but she really can’t afford any distractions right now. I want her to be able to focus on putting together the best showcase she can, so the advisory board won’t have a choice but to give her the highest marks.” He began playing with the phone again. “As busy as we’re about to be, being with me is the last thing she needs to worry about for the next six months.” Clearing his throat, he raised his attention back to the man across the table. “We talked it over at Christmas, and once she graduates, we’re all in, no matter what’s happening.”

“Really?” Roy’s eyes brightened in surprise. “You’re getting married?”

“Well, I kind of thought we’d try dating first. Jen went through a rough time when she was with Dingess, and whoever came after him wasn’t much better. She’s never seen how good it can be when you’re with the right person, and I haven’t exactly been available the last few years. I don’t want her to miss out on the fun of it, you know?” JC laughed at the slight disappointment that settled over Roy’s features. “We’ll enjoy each other for a while, figure out how our lives work together. But if you’ll be patient with us, I’m pretty sure we’ll get there.”

“What makes you say that?”

“Remember when I surprised her on her eighteenth birthday?” At his father’s nod, he continued. “We were putting together the charm bracelet I’d gotten her, and she was looking at the angel charm I’d had engraved with her dad’s initials. Jen started talking about everything he’d missed and how she wished he could’ve seen her grow up. Then she mentioned how he wouldn’t be there to walk her down the aisle when she got married, so she guessed I’d have to be the one to give her away.”

“Ah.”

“Yep. I thought I was gonna be sick.” He shook his head with a slight smile. “It was even worse than when she told me she was dating Luke. My heart stopped, and I knew that if it came down to me handing her over, I’d never be able to do it. Just the idea of her getting really serious with someone else, let alone marrying someone else, wrecked me, Dad. I’d started seeing her differently the year before, but I never said anything, because I was scared of losing my best friend. Sitting there and hearing Jen – my Boof – talk about marrying some unknown guy … I think right then was when I knew the future I wanted was with her. I went back to the set a few days later and broke it off with whatever her name was …”

“Andrea.”

“Sure. Andrea.” A self-deprecating laugh escaped. “I guess it says a lot that I can’t seem to remember the names of any of the girls I dated, huh? Anyway, as far as I could tell, Jen had never shown interest in me beyond the friendship, so I just rode with it, hoping that one day I’d catch her looking at me as if she wanted more, but trying not to let my heart get too invested. I moved back to Orlando to start the group, she came down later and had all the guys wrapped around her little finger before the first day was out. For a while, I was kind of afraid Joey would make a move on her, but he steered clear, and he and Chris teamed up with J, trying to prod me into action.”

“What was the hold up?”

“I still wasn’t sure if she was feeling it and I was trying to keep my hopes from getting too high, just in case it didn’t work out.” JC cleared his throat. “It wasn’t until after our very first showcase that I thought I’d seen what I was looking for. But just as I’d started gearing up to go for it, Johnny told us the labels we’d be auditioning for were mostly overseas. That ruined everything, since I didn’t want to start something with her, just to have to leave her behind if we got a deal.”

“Makes sense.”

“I was trying to do the best thing for her, making sure she wasn’t tied down to me when she wouldn’t even be able to see me for more than a few weeks out of the year. Then we wound up walking through a grocery store together when she heard her first song on the radio. One thing led to another and suddenly I was kissing her in the middle of the baking aisle. Oh, my God.”

“That good, was it?” Roy laughed.

“I think I caught her by surprise, but when she kissed me back … we’re talking fireworks, Dad. Every last one of the rockets they set off at the Capitol on the Fourth of July went off at one time and tried to burn me alive. And then I remembered where we were and started to back off, but she wouldn’t let me.” A faint red began to flame up his neck. “I never thought I’d be into a girl who took charge like that, but damn it’s a major turn on. Pair that with the lip gloss she wears and the way she wouldn’t let me go, and I was a total goner. I still am.”

“She found the right person.”

“We both did. I’d never felt that with any of the girls I’d gone out with before. It took everything I had not to grab her again as soon as we made it back home, but I had to keep reminding myself that I was only going to be around a few more weeks. I let it go, she never mentioned it, and we made it all the way until the night before I was leaving before it came back up.” One shoulder lifted in a shrug. “She was upset and crying, I was trying to calm her down, she found my necklace and the next thing I knew, we were going at it on her couch. It almost went too far, but I knew we weren’t anywhere near ready for that and had to stop everything. We talked it out, but it didn’t go very well, and neither of us was happy with how we left it.”

“But you seemed fine when you called home …”

“That’s because I couldn’t leave her at that airport without kissing her goodbye.” He laughed quietly. “All my good intentions suddenly didn’t matter anymore. She was under my skin and I couldn’t keep from being the most selfish person on the planet. When she said that all she wanted was to wait for me, I nearly called the whole thing off to stay with her, but I couldn’t just back out on the guys like that. She may have watched me walk away to board that plane, but my heart stayed right with her.” A sheepish smile lifted his lips. “I made sure to talk to you guys at least once a week, but honestly, I was calling or e-mailing her nearly every day.”

“We figured as much.” Roy grinned. “You both seemed too happy to not be hearing from each other very often. And Lisa told us about the photos on Jen’s desk.”

“Photos?”

“The first was of you holding her up …”

“Yeah. Diane took that one after we had our showcase at Pleasure Island.” Reaching for his wallet with a chuckle, JC pulled out a small photo and passed it over. “When I saw how we were looking at each other, I knew that we’d definitely moved past the friend zone. I asked Diane to make a larger copy, had it framed, then left it for Jen with a teddy bear and that heart necklace she wears. She moved it out to her photo wall last fall.” His brow furrowed slightly. “What was the other one?”

“The two of you looking far more than friendly on some rooftop somewhere.” Shaking his head, Roy sighed and passed back the print. “I figured it was from when she made it over for her visit last year.”

“Oh, right.” Trading the first picture for another, he set it on the table. “Probably this one. We were on the roof of the cathedral in Berlin. She has this thing about seeing city lights wherever she goes.” Tapping his fingertips over the image, he slid it over so his father could get a better look. It had been taken from behind at a time when they’d thought they were alone, her arm wrapped tightly around his waist as she smiled up at him, his own smile bright as he’d been leaning down to kiss her. “We were able to take time to show her around every city we stopped in, but she’d had a rough few days when Sara tried to ditch her at the beginning of the promotional run and was still trying to recover. I could tell she was having trouble keeping up in Berlin and carried her for a little while. When they saw what I was doing, Lonnie, Kenny and Tiny decided to take turns carrying her whenever she started to get tired. There’s a picture hanging on her wall of Kenny giving her a piggyback ride through Stuttgart.”

“Good men right there.” Roy nodded, passing back the photo. “I hope you kept them around.”

“We did. They were all available when Johnny started putting together our team here and signed back up with us. Tiny said he couldn’t give up the chance to watch out for his Tink whenever she visited.” With a smile, he slid the picture back into his wallet, making sure it didn’t catch on the others. “Even if I didn’t still have my necklace, she’d be traveling with me everywhere. Whenever we’re in the studio, I always put a photo of her on the music stand after the first few takes, because it helps to think that I’m singing for her instead of a room full of guys staring at me through a pane of glass.”

“That’s what gets you up to those high notes, huh?”

“She’s what I need to get there, I guess.” JC laughed at Roy’s raised brow, his eyes glinting with humor. “Can you blame me? My girl’s easy on the eyes.”

“So she’s your girl now, is she?”

“She’s been my girl since we were kids, Dad. We just see each other differently now. She’s the only one I can see myself being happy with years down the road.” His features turned serious as he reached to pick up the phone, standing as a cheer came from the living room. “Jenny is my home and I’ll protect her no matter what. She’s my heart and I’ll do whatever it takes to keep her happy. I’m in love with her and come December we can get started on the good stuff.” A grin formed as another cheer shook the walls. “I’m just hoping the rest of this year flies by.”

“Don’t wish the time away, son.” Roy stood with him, thumping a hand on his back and steering him toward the living room. “You never know what you might miss when you’re trying to speed things along. Even if it means getting to the ‘good stuff’.” Pausing halfway across the kitchen, he gave JC a pleading look. “Just please give your mother a heads up when there’s about to be a wedding to plan. She’ll never let me hear the end of it if she isn’t one of the first to know.”

“You’ve got it, old man.” Wrapping an arm around his father’s shoulders, he gave a quick laugh. “When I start thinking about rings, I’ll give you guys a shout.”

----------------------------------------

July 16, 1998

Rounding the corner, Jen gasped deeply, slowing her run to a jog as she headed for the last turn before home. As she sucked in another breath, her pocket began to chime. Letting her stride slow even more, she fumbled with the phone, glancing at the number before flipping it open. “Hey, Mom.”

“Morning, honey. Are you about to make it home?”

“Yeah.” Gasping once again, Jen slowed to a walk at the corner, trying to cool down in the steamy Florida heat. “Just took the last corner.”

“Good. Are we still on for brunch?” Lisa paused for a sip of coffee. “Mac may have to swing by the office for a while, but he should be able to make it by eleven.”

“That sounds good.” Glancing down at her watch, Jen made her way up the driveway. “It’s just now nine thirty. Aunt Karen was already in the shower when I started out, so Uncle Roy and the kids are probably up by now. Eleven should be fine.”

“Wonderful. Are they having a good visit?”

“I think so. They seem to be enjoying themselves.” Letting out a laugh, she pulled out her keys for the front door and let herself in. “We had a blast at Universal on Monday. They were happy to meet the gang last night, then Uncle Roy and Ty took the Corvette for a spin while Brian, Adam and Nick helped me finish out a number for my showcase.”

“Oh, God. You just made his year, sweetie. He’s always wanted to drive one of those sports cars.”

“I’m a little worried that I’ll run out of ideas to keep them busy.” Jen sighed. “They’re here for another two weeks …”

“I’m sure you’ll be fine, honey.” A chuckle carried over the line. “Well, I’ll let you go so you can get cleaned up. We’ll meet y’all at Missy’s Cafe at eleven.”

“Okay, Mom. See you then.” Closing the phone, she moved quickly around the counter and into the kitchen, still breathing heavily as she headed for the refrigerator. Pulling the door open, she cursed quietly when she saw the empty shelf where her bottled water usually sat. “Of course.”

“Mornin’, Munchkin.” Roy laughed as he came down the stairs. “Are you sure getting that worked up when it’s this hot is healthy?”

“It feels better than it looks.” She laughed in return, pulling open a low drawer and taking out the last bottles of water left over from Mark and Nick’s graduation party. Making a face, she twisted the cap off the first, taking a quick sip. “Remind me to stop for water sometime today. I forgot over the weekend and this nasty stuff is all that’s left.”

“What’s nasty about it?” He passed by her on his way to the coffee pot. “Water’s water, right?”

“Not really.” Grimacing again, she drank more. “This is some of that purified junk that has the gross aftertaste.” Holding the bottle up, her fingers checked her pounding pulse as she studied the liquid in the bottle. “It almost tastes like salt. Or chlorine.” Shrugging, she tilted her head back and drained the bottle, tossing it in the trash before reaching for the next. “Mom and Mac want to meet us for brunch at eleven. Then I thought we’d head over to Downtown Disney for a look around, maybe take one of their boat tours on the lake and catch a movie or something. Sound good?”

“Sounds great.” Roy’s brow furrowed as she started working on the second bottle. “Take it easy, Jenny. I know you’re overheated, but you’ll make yourself sick if you drink it too fast.”

“Yep.” Her head spun suddenly, and she blinked quickly, reaching for the counter to steady herself. “Wow. Guess I overdid it a little. I didn’t think it was all that hot outside.”

“Are you okay?” He moved closer to her, concern darkening his eyes. “Maybe you should sit down.”

“No, I’m fine.” Breathing deeply, she took a few more sips of water, smacking her lips against the taste. “I just got swimmy headed for a second. Shouldn’t have made that extra lap.” Sending him a smile, she nodded toward the stairs. “I’m gonna head up for a shower. If you need a snack, I’ve got some blueberry muffins in the container by the stove.”

“That’s my girl.”

“Just don’t have too many. Missy’s has a great brunch menu.” With a quiet laugh, she picked up her cell phone, took another long drink and moved away from the counter. After a few steps, she had to pause, her heart suddenly beating very slowly, the heavy thumping almost painful. “Oh.” She tried to raise a hand to her chest as it began to tighten, making it harder to breathe, her vision rapidly going blurry as she felt fresh sweat breaking out on her forehead and trickling down over her cheeks. “Oh, God.” Swaying unsteadily, she reached for something to hang on to, the bottle of water falling out of her hand, rolling across the floor as the world went dark.

“Jenny?” Roy looked around just in time to see her collapse and rushed across the room, dropping to the floor and quickly turning her over onto her back. “What’s wrong, Munchkin?” His hands patted her cheeks, then shook her shoulders, trying to rouse her into a reaction, but she simply lay there, unflinching. “Jen? Come on, sweetie.” He heard her labored breathing and put his fingers to her neck, eyes widening at the hard, slow pace of her pulse. “Karen!” Turning toward the stairs, he yelled loudly. “Karen!

“What’s wrong?” His wife came out onto the landing, stopping short when she saw Jen sprawled out on the floor. “What happened?”

“Call 9-1-1!” His voice was panicked as he looked back down at the girl, terror streaking through him when her body suddenly tensed, then began convulsing, thrashing across the kitchen tile. “Now!

***************************

“Now that was a great show!” JC nudged Joey playfully as they walked down the hall toward their hotel room. “What a blast!”

“I know, right? Canadian crowds are awesome.” Joey let out a laugh and shoved back. “Chill, man. Have you heard from Hot Stuff today?”

“Not yet. I forgot to plug my phone in last night, so it died sometime this morning.” Shaking his head, JC opened the door and moved for the table between the beds, pulling his phone out of his pocket and attaching the charging cable. “I’ll give her a call here in a few minutes.”

“It’s kind of late, isn’t it?”

“Not really. She’s got my family visiting, so I’m sure Ty and Heather are keeping her up and entertained.” He glanced down as the phone chirped repeatedly in his hand, alerting him to missed calls and messages. “Wow. Okay.”

“Somebody was really trying to get in touch with you.” Heading for the bathroom, Joey moved his eyebrows suggestively. “Maybe she got tired of waiting.”

“Maybe.” JC’s voice was unsure as he flipped the phone open, pressing the buttons to access his voicemail.

“Josh, it’s Dad. Call me back as soon as you get this.”

“Josh, it’s Mom. Where are you? Call us as soon as you can, honey.”

“Hey, bro. Dad just gave me his phone and said to call you again. Listen, it’s not good. Give us a shout, okay? Like, ASAP.”

He sat on the bed, his brow furrowing as the messages progressed. Then his blood ran cold.

“Josh, I know they’re keeping you busy, but you need to get yourself home. It’s Munchkin, son. She collapsed after her run this morning and we had to call the paramedics. They said she was in cardiac distress and when they got her to the ER, she stopped breathing, so they put her on a ventilator and admitted her to the ICU. She hasn’t woken up, Lisa’s been in the room as much as they’ll allow her, and we’re hanging out in the waiting room for updates. They’re still trying to figure out what happened, and it’s not looking good. Just let us know if you can make it, or when we should be looking for you.”

“Jace?” Joey had to physically shake him to get a reaction. “You all right? What’s going on?”

“Jen …” JC shook his head, blinking quickly. “Jenny collapsed this morning. She’s on a ventilator in the ICU.”

What?” Brown eyes widened in horror. “What happened?”

“They don’t know, but it doesn’t look good.” Jumping up from the bed, JC pushed past Joey and toward the door. “Where’s Marianne? I’ve got to get home.”

“Hold up, C.” Joey grabbed his arm, steering him back toward the closet. “I’ll go find Marianne and tell her what you need, you call your parents and start packing a bag.” He nodded encouragingly. “Jen’s a fighter. She’s gonna be all right. You just hang in there until we can get you on a flight, okay?”

“Yeah. Yeah, okay.” He barely registered the slamming of the door as his friend left, reaching sluggishly for the duffel on the floor of the closet. Jerking himself back into gear, he tossed the bag on the bed and picked up his phone, pressing the buttons quickly, sitting down as the ringing sound pulsed back to him.

“Hello?” Roy sounded groggy as he answered. “Josh?”

“Hey, Dad. I’m sorry it took so long. My phone’s been dead all day and we just got in from the show.” Swallowing hard, he forced himself to stay calm. “How is she?”

“There’s no change, really. Her doctor is saying she’s in a coma, but that could be a good thing, since they’re still running tests to figure out what happened. She came out of respiratory arrest, but they’re keeping her hooked to the machine, just in case she stops breathing again.” A weary sigh carried over the line. “Can you get here? You’ve always done more for her than any medicine.”

“I’m working on it.” JC cleared his throat. “What was she doing when it happened?”

“She’d just come in from her run and was drinking some water in the kitchen.” There was a pause. “She was complaining about how salty the water tasted and asked me to remind her to pick up some of the stuff she usually buys. I saw how fast she was drinking and warned her to slow down or she’d get sick. Then she acted a little dizzy, but laughed it off and said she’d overdone it by running an extra lap or something. She was headed up for a shower and the next thing I knew, she was down.”

“Just like that?”

“Yep. No warning or anything. I tried to wake her up, but she was having trouble breathing and her pulse was entirely too slow for having just come in from a workout like that. I yelled for your mom to call for help, then Jen just locked up and started seizing.”

“She … she had a seizure?”

“That’s what it looked like. Has she ever had one before?”

“No. Never.” His brow furrowed in thought. “What would cause her to have a seizure like that?”

“That’s what the paramedics were wondering. She was still having tremors when they came in. They were asking all the questions while they were working on her, but couldn’t figure it out. They even took what was left of her water, just in case.”

“Okay.” Blue eyes flashed toward the door when it flew open, Marianne and Lonnie following Joey into the room. “Listen, I think I’m about to figure out my flight details. I’ll call you back in a few, okay?”

“Sure thing, son. Just get here as soon as you can.”

“I’ll do my best. Talk to you in a minute.” Flipping the phone closed, he stood from the bed and walked to the closet, pulling clothes down to pack into his bag. “Please have good news for me, Marianne. When can I get out of here?”

“The next flight is a non-stop heading out in …” She glanced down at her watch. “Just under three hours. It’s a miracle I caught anybody on duty in the booking department. Most airports are closed this time of night.”

“Non-stop?” He nodded, liking the sound of that. “Good. When do I land?”

“I got both you and Lonnie booked. Departure is at four thirty, arrival should be between seven and eight.” Marianne flipped to another page in her little notebook. “The others will cover for you during the promotional spots over the next few days. I’ve already let Johnny and Lou know that you’ve had a family emergency and you’ll be out of pocket until Tuesday’s concert.” Fighting back a yawn, she ran her fingers through her hair. “You meet up with us in Ottawa on another non-stop out of Orlando at one Monday afternoon.”

“Monday?”

“Yeah.” She cast him a sympathetic look. “I wish I could’ve gotten you more time, but Lou wouldn’t hear about you missing a show and I couldn’t risk a delayed flight on Tuesday.” Ripping out the pages, she passed them to Lonnie, then came over to give JC a hug. “How is she?”

“No improvement. She’s in a coma and they don’t know why.” Taking a deep breath, he tightened his arms around her. “Dad said she came in from her run and was acting fine. Then she was down, having trouble breathing, her pulse weird. He couldn’t wake her up, then she started having a seizure.” Clearing his throat, he straightened away from her, turning back to continue packing his bag. “She was still seizing when the paramedics got there, and they said she was in cardiac distress, but couldn’t figure out what was going on. By the time they got her to the ER, she’d stopped breathing, so they put her on a ventilator. She’s still hanging out in ICU.”

“My God. Poor Tink.” Lonnie shook his head, glancing toward Marianne. “Will we have a car waiting?”

“My folks are down there visiting. I’m sure somebody can pick us up.” JC sent the guard a quick smile. “It’ll be weird to be the one riding, won’t it, big guy?” His attention turned back to the woman leaving the room. “Thanks, Marianne. I appreciate it.”

“You guys be careful. And let us know how she’s doing, okay?” She paused in the doorway. “Tell her we’re thinking about her.”

“I will. Thanks again.” As she stepped out, his gaze landed on the ball of white fluff peeking out of his suitcase. He crossed the room once more, grabbing a few pairs of pants from hangers before reaching down for the oversized teddy bear he’d bought for Jen as they’d arrived in Toronto. Tucking the bear under his arm, he went back to the bed, put the last of his clothes into the bag, then sat down, letting his fingers run through the stuffed animal’s fur. “She’s gonna be okay. She has to be.”

“That’s right, Jace. Hot Stuff will be just fine.” Joey came around the bed, placing a reassuring hand on his shoulder. “If we haven’t heard from you by eleven, I’m calling for an update.” Taking the bear, he stuffed it into JC’s duffel and waved toward the bathroom. “Go ahead and grab whatever else you need. We’ll take care of your bags until you get back. I stopped by Chris’s room to let him know what was going on while Marianne was on the phone. He’s passing the word along, and they might try to catch you in the hall before you leave.”

“Okay. I think I just need my toothbrush and stuff and I’ll be set.” Looking down at himself, still wearing his post-concert gear, he wrinkled his nose. “Actually, I should probably get out of this funk.” JC glanced over to Lonnie. “I’ve got to clean up and call Dad back. When do I need to be ready, Lon?”

“Head on down to my room when you’re done. We won’t leave until about an hour before boarding.” The guard’s glance moved to Joey. “And you’d better get some rest while you can, kid. Tomorrow’s schedule is a killer.”

“Sure thing, big guy.” Joey watched Lonnie leave, then turned back to JC. “I’ll finish up in the bathroom while you yell back at your dad. Then it’s all yours.”

“Great. Thanks, Joe.” He watched his friend head into the bathroom, then reached for his phone. As the ringing tone pulsed once again, he began a silent prayer. God, please don’t take her from me.

 

 

Chapter Twenty Seven by Renee

 

“Hey, guys.” JC stepped into the waiting room, Lonnie trailing behind him, and dropped his bag beside the couch his parents were sharing with Mac. “Any news? How is she?”

“Hi, son.” Karen stood with a tired smile, coming to him for a tight hug. “Lisa is in with her now, but I think they’re still waiting on her test results from yesterday.”

“Really?” His brow furrowed as he leaned back to look at her. “Should it be taking this long?”

“It’d probably go quicker if they knew what they were looking for. She’s a mystery right now.” She sighed, glancing at the big man standing just inside the door. “Thank you for bringing him, Lonnie.”

“Wherever he needs to go, Marianne gets him there. I’m just along for the ride.” The guard nodded, setting down his own duffel. “The other two went to pick up some breakfast for everybody.”

Just as JC was about to take a seat, Lisa came back in the room, worry lines creasing her brow. Her gaze landed on him and relief flooded through her. “You made it. I was hoping …” The sentence trailed off as she grasped his hand and pulled him behind her. “Come with me.”

“I got here as soon as I could.” He followed down the hallway, matching her quick pace as they approached a nurse’s desk. “Is everything okay?”

“It’s looking up. This is Alice, the ICU day nurse.” Lisa sent him a smile before turning to the nurse on duty. “Alice, this is Josh. He just made it in from Canada. Is there any way he could see her?”

“The first visiting period is over, Mrs. MacArthur.” Alice’s expression became apologetic. “I’m sorry, but …”

“Please. Just for a few minutes.” Lisa leaned across the desk, placing her hand over the nurse’s. “I know my daughter. If anything can bring her around, it’s him.” She shook her head at herself. “As crazy as it sounds, you’ll just have to see it to believe it. Trust me.”

“Well, the music got her to relax …” The nurse seemed to think it over, then heaved a sigh. “Nothing about this girl has been normal, so I don’t see how a few minutes could hurt.” Checking the notes on her desk, she stood. “All the labs came back, so Dr. De Soto will be reviewing her results this morning and should be down within the hour for an update. They’re planning to move her out of ICU by lunch, so they must’ve found something.” Her gaze moved over to JC. “We’ll get you in and out really quick, so you can be there for the briefing.” Stepping around the desk, she gestured for him to follow. “This way.”

“I’ll meet you back in the waiting room.” Lisa squeezed his arm quickly. “She’ll be happy you’re here.”

“Okay. See you in a few.” Catching up with Alice, he fell into stride beside her. “Once they move her out of ICU, will we be able to stay in the room with her?”

“Absolutely. We were able to take her off the ventilator this morning, and she seems to be settling down. Her blood pressure and pulse rate were in the danger zone when she arrived, and the respiratory arrest required us to keep her under critical observation overnight.” Turning left, she pushed a door open and stepped into one of the rooms. “Blood pressure still seems to be an issue, and her breathing patterns are still a bit unsteady, so we’re monitoring her closely and helping her out with oxygen until she wakes up.”

“All right …” His voice died as he got his first good view of Jen, the large equipment surrounding her making her look like a child tucked into the bed. “My God.”

“Don’t let the machines scare you. They’re here for her benefit.” The nurse smiled at him, moving over to check one of the monitors in the corner of the room. A soft whirring noise was followed by the familiar opening track of the album they’d released a few months ago, playing quietly from a small boombox sitting on the counter. “Tiny thing, isn’t she? I didn’t believe she was out of high school until her mother finished filling out the paperwork.”

“Can she hear me?”

“She wouldn’t stop fighting the ventilator until we started playing the CD her mom brought in for us. Doesn’t that beat all?” Laughing quietly, Alice shook her head. “And she was having some reaction to mom’s voice earlier, so she’s definitely processing sounds.”

“Great.” He moved to the bedside, reaching out to touch Jen’s hand. Wrapping his fingers around hers, he leaned down to press his lips against the cool skin of her knuckles before moving up to kiss her forehead. “Hey, Boof. You really know how to get my attention, don’t you?” Sending a quick side glance toward Alice, he let the fingers of his free hand comb through her hair, then bent until he could whisper in her ear. “You can’t leave me right now, baby. We haven’t gotten started yet.”

The steady beep of the heart monitor skipped a tone, then sped up, the little pulsing light racing rhythmically across the screen as her fingers tightened on his. Alice watched the screen for a moment, then turned to him with an arched brow. “Boyfriend?”

“Something like that.” He looked down when Jen’s grip clamped harder around his hand, her chest rising with a deep breath. “We’re working on it.”

“You’re important to her, anyway, huh?” Checking her watch, she moved toward the door. “I should get you back. Dr. De Soto should be on his way down.”

“But I’ll be able to see her later, right?” At the nurse’s nod, he leaned down and kissed Jen’s forehead again. “Later, Jenny.” He took a step away, then glanced to where her hand was still squeezing his. “She’s seriously gripping me here.”

“Is that so?” She came back to the bed and they both looked to Jen’s face as tears escaped from beneath closed eyelids. “She’s really in there, isn’t she?” Alice straightened the covers. “Maybe tell her what we’re doing and that you’ll see her in her regular room when she gets there.”

“You hear that, Jen?” He leaned back over the bed, his fingers going into her hair once again. “Once you’re moved, you won’t be able to get rid of me. But I need to go now, so they can take care of business.” Her chest rose sharply and he wiped the tears from her cheeks. “Please don’t cry, Boof. I’ll be down the hall for a little while, then I’ll camp out with you until you wake up. I promise.” The grip on him lessened until her hand fell back to lay on the covers. “That’s my girl. I’ll see you soon.” One more kiss to her cheek and he straightened up, turning to follow Alice out the door. “You might want to get me out of here before I decide to stay put. I can’t handle it when she cries.”

“I’d imagine not.” The nurse smiled at him as she closed the door behind them. “For a minute there, I thought you were about to bring her around. I’d say it won’t be much longer, once she’s in a room where you can stay with her.”

“Do they know what happened?” JC gave her a questioning look. “What would make her go down like that?”

“I’ve got my own ideas, but her doctor will be able to give you a definite answer.” Shaking her head, she pointed toward the waiting room. “It looks like he just went in, so you’d better hurry.”

He made it just in time to sit between Karen and Lisa as the doctor began to give his report, glancing over the chart in his hands as he spoke.

“All of Jen’s lab reports came in this morning. I have a few more questions before we continue.” Dr. De Soto let his gaze move around the room. “Has she been sick lately? Taking any over-the-counter medications?”

“No.” Lisa shook her head, reaching for Mac’s hand. “She’s been fine.”

“All right.” A pen scratched notes in the chart. “She’s a student at UCF. Does she ever go partying with her classmates?”

“Go partying?” A quiet laugh shook Lisa’s shoulders. “No. She’s more likely to have everybody over to her house, but it’s mostly her family group. She has a housemate, so their school friends and classmates come over for study sessions and to get together, but she doesn’t normally call it a ‘party’.”

“I see.” The doctor cleared his throat. “What about alcohol? Or drugs?”

“Never.” Lisa’s expression became alarmed as she looked to JC. “Not that I know of. Josh?”

“She’ll drink wine sometimes, but I think it’s mostly with me. And it’s that spiked fruit juice stuff you’d get at a grocery store. Nothing hard.” JC turned sharp eyes to the gentleman in the white coat. “Jen can’t even handle a full dose of kids' cold medicine. She’d never do drugs. She’s got too much riding on being clean to ever try it.”

“Hrmm.” Dr. De Soto grunted, then made a few more notes and flipped the chart closed. “When I first saw her, I had my suspicions, so we ran tests on the water the EMTs collected at the scene. There was enough GBL in what was left of that bottle to put down a man twice my size. Very dangerous for that man, more than deadly for Jen.”

“The water was drugged?” Roy choked on his words. “She’d already gone through a full bottle before she opened that one.”

“Ah. That explains the high concentration of her bloodwork.”

“What’s GBL?” Mac spoke up, putting his arm around Lisa and pulling her against him. “And how did it get in her water?”

“GBL is the liquid form that dealers use as a base for GHB. It reacts more quickly, so the body’s response is felt without the delay of processed GHB because the drug breaks down and changes over in the bloodstream. It can be used as a date rape drug, if the owner has a mind for it.” The doctor’s mouth turned down in a frown. “The lab techs found scratches on the cap of the bottle, as if someone was trying to inject it, but there weren’t any holes, so it didn’t work. They may have been able to open the cap without breaking the seal and just poured it right in. Most purified waters have been treated with fluoride, giving it a salty aftertaste that would’ve masked the flavor of the drug.”

“She said it tasted like salt or chlorine. Wanted me to remind her to buy cases of the water she likes.” Roy stared at the floor. “I never thought …”

“This wasn’t a water she would normally have in her home?” Dr. De Soto latched on to that information, his focus coming back to Lisa. “Where did it come from?”

“I-I don’t know. You’ll have to ask her.” Tears began forming in Lisa’s eyes. “We will be able to ask her, won’t we? She’s not …”

“We’ll have to wait and see, Mrs. MacArthur. Most people who overdose like this don’t take very long to come back around, but we really don’t know the exact dosage she was given, since we don’t have the other bottle’s contents to test. Taking her size into account, with the fact that she has no tolerance built up to the drug – not to mention the high concentration of the substance still in her system – I’m not sure how long it’ll take for her body to recover. I have every faith that she’ll wake up, but it’s up to her to decide when she’s ready. For right now, we’ll keep her on the IV so the fluids can try to push whatever’s left through, break it down and get it out of her body. It appears that we no longer need to be concerned over a recurrence of the respiratory arrest, so I’m moving her out of ICU and into a room where you can be with her, but I’m keeping her on the oxygen and we’re still watching her for signs of another seizure. Her blood pressure still worries me, so we’ll keep it monitored until I’m satisfied with her numbers.”

“How long will it take to move her?” JC leaned forward on the couch, glancing quickly to where his mother was rubbing his father’s back comfortingly. “Can we be there when she makes it to a room?”

“It shouldn’t take long, but we still have some paperwork to process. I’ll send someone down to let you know when we’re ready.” The doctor cleared his throat again. “I’m sorry I can’t be more specific with my prognosis, but I will say this: if she’d been home alone and unable to call for help, we’d be having a very different conversation right now. She wouldn’t have survived without medical attention.” With that, he gave a quick nod toward Lisa, then turned to walk out of the room.

“She’ll be okay. Jen’s always been a fighter and she’ll come back around soon.” JC reached over to give Lisa’s hand a squeeze, returning the small smile she sent his way. Taking a deep breath, he got to his feet and moved to Roy, crouching down until he could see his face. “You saved her life, Dad. Forget about everything else and focus on that, okay?” Checking his pocket for his phone, he straightened up and tilted his head toward the hallway. “I’ll be right back. I promised I’d call the guys when I had an update.”

He almost didn’t notice when Lonnie followed him down the hallway and onto the rear patio of the hospital, where a few other visitors were making phone calls. They stood in silence for a few minutes, watching as cars moved around the parking lot before the big man’s eyes settled on JC’s face. When he saw the tortured expression marring the young man’s features, he couldn’t help thumping a hand over his shoulder. “You okay, kid?”

“No. No, I’m not okay.” Growling in the back of his throat, JC brought both hands up to cover his face. “Somebody she trusts enough to let in her house drugged her … at the very least, so they could rape her. If they didn’t want to rape her, then they just wanted her dead. Some psychotic ass tried to kill her in her own kitchen.” His hands dropped back to his sides as he swallowed hard. “And I wasn’t here. She could’ve died while I was off smiling for the cameras in Canada. If Dad hadn’t been with her, I’d have been flying home for her funeral, Lonnie.”

“But your folks were here, and they knew well enough to take care of business.” Lonnie let his grip tighten on him. “Jace, I know you love the girl – hell, I love Tink, too, and I’d tear apart anybody who tried to hurt her – but you’ve got enough on your plate right now without trying to borrow off of hers, too.” He sighed at the icy glare that came his way. “Think about it. Could you really have stopped it if you were here? If somebody was seriously set on getting that drug to her, it’d happen whether you were around or not, C. I know without a doubt that you’re her hero, but there’s a limit to what even you can do.” A dark brow rose. “And if you were to repeat what you just said to her …”

“She’d get upset at me for feeling guilty and tell me exactly what you’re telling me now.” Shaking his head with a quiet laugh, a small smile settled on his features. “You two are so much alike, it’s scary.”

“I could say the same thing.” Lonnie’s hand tapped the back of JC’s head lightly as he released him. “And don’t you even think about telling her that I’d kill for her, either. I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be able to tell her no if she ever asked.”

“Yeah, join the club.” JC flipped his phone open and started pressing buttons. “I’m just gonna call Joe real quick. You can head back in if you want.”

“Nah, I’m good. I’ve never been a big fan of hospitals, and it looks like we’re gonna be spending the next few days hanging out here.”

“If I know Jen, she won’t let folks sit around much after she wakes up. She hates feeling like people are fussing over her.” Bringing the phone to his ear, he sent a grin to the big man beside him. “Guess you’re both in the same boat. She doesn’t like hospitals, either, and now she’s stuck in one.”

***************************

The first time she woke up, Jen didn’t really process much. She understood that it was dark, but there was light coming from somewhere in the room. Her throat hurt and she was cold. There was a beeping noise piercing the darkness and for whatever reason, it made her begin to panic.

As her pulse quickened, so did the beeping, and she realized that the sound was her. Or her heartbeat, actually. Her brow furrowed slightly as her eyes closed again, and she wondered why someone would want to hear her heartbeat. Before she could put much thought into it, she was gone again, falling back into sleep.

There was no telling how much time had passed when she came around next. She blinked, squinting against the bright light spilling into the room before letting her eyes close, focusing her other senses on her surroundings until she’d adjusted to the light. It was still cold, and her throat felt thick, painful. There was an ache in her head, throbbing in time with the beeping that continued to monitor her pulse.

She breathed deeply, feeling the plastic tubing on her face that sent cool air into her lungs. Swallowing with effort, she began to notice that her entire body wasn’t cold. There was something warm and heavy on her right shoulder and her right hand was covered where it lay on her stomach – a hand was holding hers. Something soft and fluffy lay on her left side, her fingers curled around fuzzy material, her index finger covered in something plastic.

Her curiosity got the best of her, her eyes opening once again to look around the room. Lonnie and Mac were sitting on a couch to the left of the bed, both turned sideways as they slept against the cushions. The soft fluffiness was a large white teddy bear, hugged to her side by the hand that was tethered by an IV and a plastic connector for the heart monitor. The TV mounted to the wall was on, it’s volume soft as pictures flashed across the screen. There was another bed in the room, partially blocked by a curtain, but she could see her mother’s legs on the mattress.

Turning her head further to the right, she saw that JC was in a chair next to her bed, slumped over until his cheek rested against her shoulder. His hand was covering hers, providing the only warmth she felt in the cool room. With a slight smile, she released the bear and reached across with her left hand, letting her fingers comb through his hair. His brow furrowed as he breathed deeply in sleep.

Twisting in his direction, she let her fingers move through his hair again, the plastic covering her finger bumping clumsily against him as her hand moved down to his face. Leaning forward, she pressed her lips to his forehead, her smile widening when she saw him beginning to come awake. His eyes met hers and she tried to get her voice to work, weariness making her lay her head back down as she pushed out a hoarse whisper. “Hey, Josh.”

“Hey.” He blinked sleepily, sitting up to stretch out his back before he suddenly became alert, blue eyes widening as they focused on her. “Hey. Hey, Boof.” A mixture of elation and relief passed over his face as he released her hand, standing up to lean across the bed and press a button on the bedframe, setting a little light to flashing on the wall. “How are you feeling?”

“Cold. Tired.” She fought against the grogginess, cringing at the pain in her throat from her raspy response. “Thirsty. My throat hurts.”

“Okay. That’s good. God, that’s good.” He bent down and kissed her forehead quickly, then turned around to push the curtain back until he could reach Lisa’s shoulder. “Lisa? Hey, Lisa.”

“Hmm?” A slight hum carried through the fabric, Lisa’s feet moving as she rolled over. “What is it?”

“She’s awake. Jen’s awake.”

“She is?” Lisa slid off the mattress, her feet barely hitting the floor before she was moving to the side of Jen’s bed, pushing JC out of the way to lean down and hug her daughter. “Oh, honey. I was so scared …” She couldn’t finish, her shoulders beginning to shake with quiet sobs.

“It’s okay, Mom. I’m okay. At least, I think I’m okay.” Jen’s hand patted limply against her mother’s back. Movement on the couch grabbed her attention and she looked over to see Mac and Lonnie stretching their arms, both men barely focusing on her as she gave them a weak smile. “Hey, guys.” Sniffling against the tubing in her nose, she glanced back to JC. “How did you get here? What happened?”

A clicking noise came from a speaker in the wall before he could answer, a low female voice carrying into the room. “Yes? Can I help you?”

“Dr. De Soto wanted us to let somebody know if Jenny had any changes.” JC reached around Lisa to squeeze Jen’s hand. “She’s awake and asking for something to drink.”

Wonderful. Angie will be right with you.”

“Thank you.” He smiled, moving back so Lisa could take the chair he’d vacated. “Your nurse will be here soon to check you out. You can ask her anything you want, okay?”

But Jen never got the chance to ask her questions. One nurse was followed by another, a blur of happy and relieved faces passed quickly before her as she was instructed to drink a bottle of water, then she was given an injection of some kind. By the time she’d actually worked out what she wanted to know, she was so groggy, she couldn’t hold her eyes open any longer. She felt someone pull the sheet up higher on her shoulders, then her fingers tangled tightly through JC’s as she drifted back to sleep.

***************************

“Thanks, Mom. I’ll see you later.” JC slammed the car door closed, then waved through the window as she drove away, leaving him in front of the hospital. It’d taken some quick talking, but he’d heaved a sigh of relief when Lonnie had relented to letting him return on his own, not able to resist the temptation of the king-sized bed JC had offered up as a bribe. For the next few hours, he could have Jen all to himself.

She’d been in and out all day yesterday, coming awake for small periods of time before falling back to sleep. Early this morning, she’d woken up fully alert, eyes bright – even if a little unfocused and wild – as she’d looked around the room. Her day nurse, Angie, had come in with a smile, politely ordering everyone out of the room so she could perform an exam for Dr. De Soto. Jen’s brow had arched at the command, willingly allowing the exam, but firmly stating that Lisa and JC would be staying with her. Angie had sized her up quickly, then agreed, realizing it’d be easier to simply go along with it and move on.

Everyone had returned to the room shortly after eight, only for Jen to insist they all go get some rest and food. At Lisa’s request, Maggie had dropped off a duffel bag of clothes and toiletries during one of her visits and Jen had looked toward it excitedly, saying that she wanted some time to get cleaned up and comfortable: “You guys look miserable. Go get some rest and hit up Missy’s for lunch. I don’t want to see anybody back here until at least supper time.”

JC laughed quietly as he adjusted his grip on his thermos and shifted the backpack on his shoulder, then walked through the sliding doors and toward the elevators, his spirits higher than they’d been since he’d checked his voicemail in Canada. On the third floor, he sent a smile and a nod toward the nurses at the desk, ignoring the flirtatious waves from the three younger staff members on his way down the hall to Jen’s room. Just in case she was awake, he knocked softly before pushing the door ajar, making his presence known so that he wouldn’t walk in on something he shouldn’t. “Hey, Boof. You decent?”

When she didn’t respond, he moved all the way in, breathing deeply when he caught the scent of her soap over the sterile hospital odor that had surrounded him for the past two days. The room smelled of her, almost as if a floral perfume had been spilled somewhere close by. He closed his eyes briefly, letting the aroma take him back to a night out in Berlin, after she’d spent a day relaxing in a steam bath. Then he focused on the bed, grinning as he found her.

Jen had adjusted the mattress into an almost upright position, allowing her to sit up and look around more easily. Despite the awkward angle, she’d rolled onto her side and curled herself around her teddy bear, snuggling it to her chest as her cheek pressed against the top of its head. She looked tiny on the large bed, yet the tremors shuddering through her body sent the metal brackets on the frame to rattling with her movement. His brow furrowed when he heard the chattering of her teeth over the low hum from the television.

He walked over and set his thermos on the bedside table, noticing how the sunlight from the window spilled over the bed. The room wasn’t cold, didn’t even feel slightly chilly, but Jen was shivering as if she were freezing to death. His gaze swept over her, taking in the tie-dyed lounge pants he’d bought her years ago, coming down to almost cover her toes, clad in fuzzy black socks. She’d put on a shirt he’d brought her from the merch for their tour in the U.K., but was laying on top of the bed sheet, the only cover available to her until now.

Unzipping his bag, he pulled out the oversized, plush blanket he’d picked up for her that morning, shook it out and moved closer to the bed. Before he could drape it over her, his attention was drawn to the frayed cuffs pooling around her feet and the worn spots along the seams of her beloved pants. “I need to get you some new ones, don’t I?” He flung the blanket over the bed as she shivered again, then proceeded to tuck it around her, smiling at how warm it was from being in the car during lunch. By the time he’d made it to her shoulders, she was coming awake, blinking at him blearily, her eyes still struggling to focus through the haze as she tried to make her voice work.

“Josh?”

“Hi.” He tugged slightly on the blanket, letting it bunch up around her neck. “Have you been this cold all day?”

“Uh huh.” She sniffled, then coughed softly before taking a deep breath and rolling onto her back. “Angie says my body temperature is low because I’m still coming down from the high. My blood pressure will improve as I warm up. Or maybe that’s backwards.” There was a hissing sound, and the cuff around her left arm began to tighten, updating the reading on one of the monitors beside the bed. “The IV was making my arm swell, so they took it out, and I don’t have to listen to the heart monitor anymore. The nurses are keeping an eye on it at their station.”

“Are you feeling better?”

“A little bit.” Clearing her throat, she gave him an odd look. “I still can’t focus. What time is it?”

“Just after one. Mom dumped me out on her way to the house.”

“You came back early.” She coughed again, pulling the blanket more tightly around her. “I was hoping you would.”

“I’ve got to head back to the tour tomorrow, and I wasn’t about to give up time with my girl.” He smiled, bending down to kiss her forehead. “The others will be back later with supper. I talked to Chris while we were out and gave him your room number. He said they’d try to call tonight.” His hands came to her face, his eyes narrowing at the coolness under his fingertips. “Hell, Boof. You feel like ice.”

“Well, you feel amazing.” Her head turned, pressing her cheek into his palm with a sigh. “Thanks for the blanket. It’s perfect. And the bear is too cute.” She began to struggle with words, her expression becoming pleading. “But … could you … please?”

“Sure.” Glancing down, he noticed the monitor cables dangling from her arm, then quickly worked his way to the other side of the bed. “Scoot over a little. It’ll be easier if I’m under the cover with you.” He slipped off his shoes, lifted the blanket and settled on the mattress, wrapping his arms around her as she snuggled against him. “Better?”

“Getting there.” She pressed her face into his chest as another tremor went through her. “I’m sorry I missed your concert last night. We were gonna have a watch party and everything.”

“They’re replaying it tonight. You can have a watch party with me.”

“Really?” Tilting her chin, she moved until she could see him. “Don’t let me sleep through it, okay? I don’t want to miss it again.”

“We’ll see. You need your rest, Boof.” He felt her stomach rumble against him. “And food. Are you ready for lunch?”

“Ugh. I don’t think another bowl of Jell-O and one of those fruit pop things will get me all toasty.”

“You’ve been reprieved.” A quiet laugh shook his chest as his fingers combed through her hair. “I brought you some of Missy’s bean and bacon soup. It’s mostly broth, but it’ll still do you good.”

“Seriously?” Her left arm came up around his neck and he flinched when her cold nose pressed into the base of his throat. “God, I love you.”

He froze, wondering for a second if he’d heard her right. His shirt had muffled her hoarse voice, but from the way the little pulsing light had sped up on her heart monitor, he was pretty sure his hearing was working just fine. And judging by how tense she’d suddenly become against him, she’d surprised herself, too. Clearing his throat, he rubbed a hand over her back. “What was that?”

“Sorry.” A faint red was beginning to stain her cheeks as she looked at him. “My filter’s not working at all right now.” Shaking her head, she let a smile tilt her lips. “But you know you’re my favorite, right?”

“Yeah.” His forehead rested against hers and he returned her smile, fighting back the surge of disappointment in his chest as his gaze moved slowly over her features. “You have no idea how good it is to have you awake and talking. When I got that voicemail Thursday night …” His lips brushed hers briefly. “Don’t do that to me again, okay?”

“It wasn’t on purpose, Josh.” A tremor passed through her. “Why would anybody want to go through this?”

“Beats me. For the thrill, I guess.”

“Some thrill.” Her brows arched as she sent a glance toward the door. “Lonnie isn’t with you?”

“Nope. Once he saw that new bed you brought in for me, he decided it’d be okay for me to hang out on my own this afternoon. Poor guy hasn’t slept well since we left Canada.” He bit back a laugh when he saw her expression. “Why?”

“Just making sure nobody’s gonna come busting in on us.” She grinned, her fingers sliding into his hair as she pulled him to her, kissing him slowly. After a moment, she backed off slightly, laughing quietly. “Now that’s warm.”

“Whatever works, Boof.” Leaning in, his mouth caught hers again, his arms tightening around her until he couldn’t get her any closer. He kept her pressed against him, continuing to kiss her, until he felt her breathing becoming uneven. When he pulled away, there was a healthier color to her face and her eyes were a little wilder than before. “You’re really cute when you’re buzzed.” A laugh escaped as he fisted his fingers in the fabric of her shirt. “I hate to break this up, but you know a nurse is probably gonna be doing rounds soon. Are you ready for your soup?”

“Sure. If I can’t have you, I might as well eat good, right?” A grimace crossed her face as she realized what she’d said, her head shaking in exasperation. “Damn it.”

“Right.” A bright grin lit his features and he kissed her cheek. “You should lose your filter more often. It’s fun.” He laughed again, sliding off the bed and coming around to adjust the bedside table before wheeling it in front of her. Taking the cap off the thermos, he twisted it open and poured some of the steaming soup into the lid. “Here you go. Be careful. It might be a little too hot.”

She worked through it quickly, and JC was pouring her a second helping when there was a sharp knock at the door. Not waiting for a response, Angie came breezing in, chart in hand. “How are we doing down here? Everything okay?”

“I guess so, all things considered.” Jen sent her a smile. “Missy’s soup makes anything better.” Her eyes narrowed when she saw the concern on the nurse’s face. “Why? What’s up?”

“Your heart monitor has been alarming, honey.”

“Really?” JC stiffened, studying Jen intently. “What would set it off?”

“When her pulse becomes really uneven or skips, it trips the alert.” Stepping toward the equipment, she pressed a few buttons so the flashing light that neither Jen nor JC had noticed went dark. “Your heart stopped a little while ago. Are you feeling all right? You’re not short of breath, are you?”

“Uh, no.” Jen darted a quick look toward JC. “Not right now, anyway.” Clapping a hand over her mouth, she turned a deep shade of red, glaring at him in aggravation as he began snickering beside the bed. “I mean …”

“Ah. Okay, I get it.” Angie choked back her own laughter, trying to keep a sternness to her features as she reached to straighten out the blanket, scooting the teddy bear closer to Jen. “Looks like someone wants you to be nice and warm, huh?” She watched as Jen bit down on her lip to keep herself from talking, nodding in silent agreement. “Well, your coloring is a lot better than it was this morning, and your blood pressure has risen a little. Those are both good things.” Cutting an amused glance toward JC, she arched an eyebrow. “But let’s try to keep things PG, okay? There are a few younger nurses at the desk in a tizzy over you and they’d love to come up in here for a show.”

“Noted. We’ll behave.” JC grinned, passing Jen the cup of soup and propping his hip on the mattress. “At least she’s not shivering anymore. When I first came in, her teeth were chattering.”

“It may get that way again, once she calms down.” The nurse shook her head, her attention coming back to her patient. “Keep warm however you can. Just no fooling around. This is a hospital, not a hotel. All right?”

“Uh huh.” Jen sipped at her soup, then licked her lips. “If I get cold again, can he sit up here with me? It seemed to help better than just the blanket.”

“Body heat is a great thing. It’s fine if you sit together.” A strict finger wagged in their direction as Angie picked up her chart and turned for the door. “But no funny business. Understood?”

“Yes, ma’am.” They spoke in unison as she left the room, breaking into laughter as the door swung shut behind her.

“Well, that was an ego boost.” Careful not to upend Jen’s lunch, JC slid back onto the bed, his elbow nudging her playfully. “Do I really make your heart stop?”

“All the time.” She rolled her eyes with a sigh, bringing the cup back up for another taste. “I’m no better than all those screaming girls who’d die to touch you.”

“Yes, you are.” He reached for her cup after she’d drained it, filling it one more time before checking the thermos. “There’s maybe another cup left. Think you can finish it?” At her nod, he handed her the soup, then sat back against the mattress, his arm going around her to pull her against his side. “Never compare yourself to the fans, Jen. It’s not like we have that many right now, anyway.” His lips pressed against the side of her head. “Even if we were packing out stadiums, it wouldn’t matter. They can’t come close to matching you. You know that, right?”

“Yeah.” Swallowing, she cleared her throat and smiled at him. “I’m your favorite, too, huh?”

“Yep. There’s nobody better.” His arm gave her a squeeze, his head tilting until it rested against hers. “And in a few months, I’ll get to show you all the best things about being my favorite.”

“Hmm.” She hummed, reaching for the thermos herself and pouring out the last of the soup. Finishing it quickly, she let the cup clatter on the small table, then relaxed back against him with a sigh. “Can’t wait.”

***************************

Not long after she’d finished her lunch, Jen hugged her teddy bear, pulled the blanket up to her chin and leaned into him as she fell asleep. He adjusted the bed back a little, helping her get more comfortable against his chest, one arm holding her to him as he used the remote to flip through channels on the television. It took a while, but he finally settled on an Indiana Jones movie that was playing on one of the networks. The second movie of the marathon was beginning when she shifted against him, coughing as she woke from her nap, just in time for a visit from Maggie and Brian.

They’d brought Chloe and Sophie with them, and Jen perked up at the sight of the kids coming in. Chloe had been carrying flowers sent by Amber and Matt, setting them down on the table beside the bed before leaning over to hug Jen tightly. Sophie hadn’t bothered with that side of the room, running around to where there were no machines blocking her from climbing onto the bed. When she saw JC sliding off the mattress to lift her up, she’d let out a happy “Daycee!” and broken into giggles, jumping into his arms for a tight hug and a smacking kiss on his cheek.

About half an hour later, Maggie was gathering up her young charges, promising to be back the next evening with Jen’s supper. “Come on, guys. Miss Jenny’s mom should be here soon and I’ll bet she has other visitors who want to see her today.” Sending a wink Jen’s way, she steered Sophie toward the door with a hand on her head. “Think you could handle some chicken tortilla soup? Or would it be too spicy?”

“Spicy or not, it sounds awesome. Bring it on.” With a grin, Jen returned Sophie’s wave. “I’ll see you soon, Sophie. Okay?”

“’Kay. Bye bye, Miss Denny!”

“Bye.” She glanced over when she felt JC leaving the bed. Finding him reaching for his shoes, her brow furrowed. “Are you heading out, too?”

“Nope. You’re stuck with me.” Smiling, he leaned over and pressed his lips to the side of her head. “I’m just gonna walk down with them. Be right back.”

“Oh. Okay.” Licking her lips, she grimaced as she tried to swallow. “Could you stop for a bottle of water on your way back up? I’m kind of hurting.”

“As you wish, Boof.” He squeezed her hand, then made quick tracks to the door, letting it click closed behind him before calling out. “Hey, Brian? Hold up.”

“Sure.” Brian paused at the corner leading to the elevator, gesturing for Maggie to head on with the girls. “We’ll get the next one. Go ahead and be getting Sophie strapped in.” She smiled as the doors closed, not quite masking the concern in her green eyes, and he took a deep breath before turning to JC. “What’s up, Jace?”

“I heard Jenny asking you about the water yesterday and just wondered if you’d come up with anything.”

“Yeah, I figured it was something like that.” Heaving a sigh, he pressed the button for the elevator to return, then combed his fingers through his hair. “None of the drinks Adam and I sent over were in a six pack. And we made sure to only buy the stuff we knew she would use, so she could keep anything that was left over.”

“Okay. What about Mark?” A dark brow arched. “Jen was really spooked about finding him in the house like that.”

“I tried to give him a call, but couldn’t get an answer, so I decided to try my buddy Todd. You know, the guy who hired him as a studio assistant in Nashville?” As JC nodded, Brian began shaking his head. “It’s not good, man. Turns out our good friend Mark got himself arrested for dosing some girl’s drink at a club and watching the bathroom door while one of his buddies raped her and left her unconscious in one of the stalls. Of course, he says he didn’t do it, but you can’t exactly argue with video evidence. He couldn’t make bail, so he’s chilling behind bars, waiting for a trial date.” The elevator doors opened and they stepped in. “Hearing Todd talk, they’re thinking it’s not the first time he’s done it, either. They’ve got some unresolved complaints from back before he came to UCF that have the same pattern.”

Shit.” JC’s eyes widened as the scope of potential disaster settled over him. “Would … he wouldn’t have really gone after Jen like that, would he? I mean, he was her friend, for God’s sake.”

“Yeah, he was her friend. He had a major jones going for her, too.” Brian sent him a dark look as they reached the lobby. “The guy was really hoping you’d leave her high and dry, so he’d have a chance to step in once you were gone. It didn’t go his way and he wasn’t exactly happy about it.” A quiet chuckle was swallowed up by the swish of the automatic doors leading to the parking lot. “All those flowers were really starting to creep her out, but they stopped when he left, so I guess that’s a plus.”

“Flowers? What flowers?”

“I thought she told you. Somebody started putting roses on her car whenever she was on campus. The first one showed up at the audition the girls went to right after you guys headed out, then there were probably two a week after that.” A shrug lifted Brian’s shoulders. “At first, she thought they were a mistake, so she’d just put it on a different car and go on. When they didn’t stop, Maggie was pretty sure you were sending them, but Jen knew it wasn’t you. Said you didn’t have a reason to send her flowers.”

“I’ve got plenty of reason to give her flowers.”

“Damn right, you do.” Brian’s brows arched as they came to a stop by his car. “So why haven’t you? You’ve been here three days and the only vases in that room are from her mom and Amber and Matt.”

“Think about it, man.” JC propped against the side of the car, wiggling his fingers at Sophie in the back seat. “What’s the big deal with flowers?”

“Well, they smell good. And they make a girl feel special.” Laughing under his breath, Brian tilted his head toward Maggie’s seat in the front. “As long as they aren’t roses, mine loves them.”

“Sure, they smell good and they’re pretty for a while. But they also die.” A smile began to form as JC crossed his arms over his chest. “Flowers don’t last, Brian. I want something more permanent. I brought Jen a blanket because I want her to be comfortable and warm, even after I have to leave. And I made sure it was in her favorite colors, so she’ll take it home and hopefully think of me whenever she uses it. The teddy bear is supposed to be like a hug from me, something soft for her to hold when I can’t be with her.” Clearing his throat, he bit back a grin. “Besides, she’s already said that her Mr. Right will come bearing stuffed animals. I’d buy out the entire plush section at Toys R Us to make damn sure she knows it’s me.”

“Good God. Here I thought you were slacking when really I’m the one who needs to up my game.” Brian nodded in admiration, reaching out his fist for a bump as he opened the car door. “How long are you in for?”

“I head out tomorrow around lunch, so I won’t be here when you guys stop in.” He leaned down until he could see both Brian and Maggie. “Keep an eye on her for me, okay? At least for the next little while. She’s not exactly the type to tell me when something’s wrong.”

“You got it, Jace.” Maggie sent him a smile. “Rumor has it they’re planning to cut her loose by the middle of the week, so I’m thinking Brian might take the guys for a golf day or something and we can have a day to veg in our PJs with some chick flicks and snacks. Maybe even take a girls’ trip and hit up her favorite spa for a relaxation treatment. Pretty sure both Mama L and Mrs. C would be up for that one.”

“Perfect. Thanks, Mags.” He cast a glance toward Brian. “And keep me in the loop on Mark, okay? Even if he’s not in the area, I’d like to know how that turns out.”

“Will do.” Brian reached out to close the door, a knowing grin stretching across his face. “The others will be back soon. You might want to take advantage of all the private time you can get, C.”

“I plan on it. See you around.” He waved to Chloe and Sophie one more time before stepping away from the car and heading back inside. Back on Jen’s floor, he stopped by the nurse’s station for two large bottles of water, then made his way to her room, tapping his knuckles against the door as he pushed it open. “Your oasis has arrived, Boof.”

“Awesome. Thank you.” She sat up straighter on the mattress, reaching for one of the bottles. Twisting the cap, her eyes followed him as he came around the bed and settled in next to her. “Was it Mark?”

“Jen …”

“I-I kind of trusted him. Not totally, but even as off as he seemed, I thought he was my friend.” Swallowing hard, she tried to fight back tears. “I don’t want him to have done this to me.”

“I know.” A sigh escaped as he looked at her, taking in the weary slump of her shoulders. “Baby, come here.” His arms tightened around her, pulling her into his chest. Tilting his head, he let his cheek rest against her hair. “Brian made a few calls and it really looks like he did it. He’s in some pretty big trouble in Nashville and it’s for something like what happened to you.”

“They caught him?”

“He’s in jail right now, and he can’t make bail. He’ll probably be there for a while.”

“Josh …” Her brow furrowed, worried eyes meeting his as her fingers clutched at his shirt. “He can’t get out?”

“Not right now, he can’t.” His hand came to her face, lifting her chin until he could kiss her. “And even if he does, there’s no way they’ll let him out of the city.”

“You’re sure?”

“You’re safe, Boof. He won’t hurt you again. I promise.”

Relief washed over her at his reassurance and she let out a deep breath, pressing her lips to his again before relaxing into his arms. “Okay.”

 

End Notes:

As you've probably noticed, this update took a while to get out.  When I started adding new content, I'd been working on my little story here (novel?) for about a year, so I had all kinds of chapters ready to go.  Basically, I've caught up to myself.  I know exactly where it's going and I've got all kinds of scenes written, but I need the filler to get there in a nice, smooth chapter format.  I'm working on it, but I'm a perfectionist, so it takes me freakin' FOREVER to be happy with each chapter.

Just bear with me, guys.  We'll get there together.  I promise!  :-)

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=787