(Un)Tying the Knot by SomethingBlue42
Summary:

Set in New York City, Justin Timberlake and Amelia Domineck are the hottest couple in the Manhattan social scene, and their wedding is fast approaching Event of the Year status. Amelia, headstrong and domineering, is not just planning her wedding, she’s choreographing it and Justin seems to simply be along for the ride, as well as Amelia’s assistant Charlotte who after accepting the job wonders if slavery somehow became legal without her realizing it. A Lolita wedding planner, a flakey assistant, and one bridezilla converge together to bring Charlotte and Justin closer and Justin begins to wonder… is this really all that’s left for him? A ring and a promise of forever with Amelia, or does he dare to dream of something more?


Categories: Completed Het Stories Characters: Justin Timberlake
Awards: Season 6
Genres: Angst, Drama, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 45 Completed: Yes Word count: 246846 Read: 232116 Published: May 12, 2008 Updated: Jan 30, 2011
Story Notes:

Thank you to everyone who voted for me for the NF Awards Season 6!

(U)TTK won:

Remarkable Multi-Parter, Brilliant Descriptive, Impressive Characterization of Justin, Innovative Original Character (Charlotte), Favorite Couple (Charlotte/Justin), Best Kiss (Charlotte/Justin in Chapter 19), Best Quote (by Justin in Chapter 13), Best Fight (Justin vs Amelia in Chapter 33), Best OMG WTF Moment, Best Break-Up (Justin/Amelia in Chapter 33), Ultimate Ending, and Phenomenal Fan Fiction Overall

Again thank you, thank you, thank you!

I don't own Justin Timberlake or Nsync but all the work written here is mine and cannot be used without my permission!!! So be cool and don't take mah shit kthnxbai!

1. Chapter 1 by SomethingBlue42

2. Chapter 2 by SomethingBlue42

3. Chapter 3 by SomethingBlue42

4. Chapter 4 by SomethingBlue42

5. Chapter 5 by SomethingBlue42

6. Chapter 6 by SomethingBlue42

7. Chapter 7 by SomethingBlue42

8. Chapter 8 by SomethingBlue42

9. Chapter 9 pt I by SomethingBlue42

10. Chapter 9 pt II by SomethingBlue42

11. Chapter 10 by SomethingBlue42

12. Chapter 11 by SomethingBlue42

13. Chapter 12 pt 1 by SomethingBlue42

14. Chapter 12 pt 2 by SomethingBlue42

15. Chapter 13 by SomethingBlue42

16. Chapter 14 by SomethingBlue42

17. Chapter 15 pt 1 by SomethingBlue42

18. Chapter 15 pt 2 by SomethingBlue42

19. Chapter 16 by SomethingBlue42

20. Chapter 17 by SomethingBlue42

21. Chapter 18 pt 1 by SomethingBlue42

22. Chapter 18 pt 2 by SomethingBlue42

23. Chapter 18 pt 3 by SomethingBlue42

24. Chapter 18 pt 4 by SomethingBlue42

25. Chapter 19 by SomethingBlue42

26. Chapter 20 by SomethingBlue42

27. Chapter 21 by SomethingBlue42

28. Chapter 22 by SomethingBlue42

29. Chapter 23 pt 1 by SomethingBlue42

30. Chapter 23 pt 2 by SomethingBlue42

31. Chapter 24 by SomethingBlue42

32. Chapter 25 by SomethingBlue42

33. Chapter 26 by SomethingBlue42

34. Chapter 27 by SomethingBlue42

35. Chapter 28 by SomethingBlue42

36. Chapter 29 by SomethingBlue42

37. Chapter 30 pt 1 by SomethingBlue42

38. Chapter 30 pt 2 by SomethingBlue42

39. Chapter 31 by SomethingBlue42

40. Chapter 32 by SomethingBlue42

41. Chapter 33 by SomethingBlue42

42. Chapter 34 by SomethingBlue42

43. Chapter 35 by SomethingBlue42

44. Epilogue by SomethingBlue42

45. Cast by SomethingBlue42

Chapter 1 by SomethingBlue42

It’s 11:17, or so Charlotte Jenson’s watch reads as she checks it for what seems like the thousandth time. Her stomach flutters, running her hands down her thighs, smoothing over the fabric of her skirt, her foot tapping nervously against the carpet. Her palms cup the warm skin of her bare knees and she wonders briefly if she should be wearing panty hose. Was it a fashion faux pas to have bare legs at a job interview? She never knew. Going into her sixth year of living in New York City, she still found herself eternally clueless to the day to day trivialities of what the definition of cool was this week.

 

But it’s not like she really had a choice in the matter today. Her last pair of panty hose had run as she tried to put them on and when she stepped out of her apartment building she had regretted it. The weather was unseasonably cool for the beginning of October and the walk to the subway was somewhat harsh.

 

She had arrived at ten till eleven, smiling brightly at the secretary who took her coat and bade Charlotte sit on one of the cream colored leather couches, her small heels sinking into the plush rug under the couch and small glass table. And there she had sat for – she checks her watch again – thirty three minutes.


Charlotte’s eyes fall on the young woman behind the French writing desk. She’s writing diligently, looking between her papers and her computer screen, long lashes seeming to lay perfectly against her cheek as she looks down and then fanning out around her eyes as she looks up again. Her long dark hair is pulled back simply, chicly and her pale skin glows in that way that makes the lack of a tan acceptable. The phone rings, stuttering Charlotte’s assessment of her.

 

“Amelia Domenick’s office.”

 

Her voice is cool and unattached but still pleasant, much like her appearance. She is the epitome of New York business chic, all pencil length skirts, cashmere sweaters, and designer shoes. Charlotte looks down at her simple black suit, a mix of polyester and rayon, her shoes, some no name brand from Macy’s. She is the exact opposite of this girl. She wonders if she even has a chance at this job.

 

Charlotte sighs, checking her watch again. 11:31. She’s been here for forty-one minutes now. Could she have gotten the time wrong? No, she had checked six times this morning and the post-it note on her fridge had said Amelia Domineck interview. Tuesday, 11 am. Charlotte looks around, searching the room for a clock, thinking maybe her watch is wrong, that she somehow set it forward three hours and she is insanely early. She’s just about to ask the secretary for the time when the door to the reception area swings open.

 

“Kaitie would you call Arthur and tell him I’ll have to meet with him tomorrow. That meeting with the investors went entirely too long.”

 

Charlotte’s eyes fall on the woman who has just breezed effortlessly through the door. Her eyes widen at the sheer beauty of the tall, slender woman as she shrugs off her snow white trench coat and hooks it on the rack next to Charlotte’s old wool peacoat.

 

“Yes, Ms. Domineck,” Kaitie replies, nodding eagerly and reaching for the phone.

 

“And call Justin and tell him I’m running late,” Ms. Domineck adds with a sigh and she turns, her eyes falling on Charlotte.

 

Charlotte’s eyes widen, completely taken off guard and she feels caught in the woman’s gaze. Should she smile? Maybe stand and offer her hand? The woman looks at her secretary, who is just ending her phone call and about to start another, and raises an eyebrow. Kaitie’s eyes fall to Charlotte before flitting back to her boss.

 

“Your eleven o’clock,” Kaitie replies and the woman gives a small nod before moving to the French doors just to the left of the receptionist’s desk.

 

“Send her in,” she casually calls over her shoulder as she passes through the door and into her office.

 

Kaitie gives Charlotte a smile that softens her face, making it less severe and Charlotte realizes that she can’t be any older than herself. She returns the smile, tugging on the bottom of her suit jacket as she walks into the office, with what she hopes is outstanding grace and confidence.

 

The room is large and airy, giving the illusion of warmth with its soft taupe walls and cream settees arranged comfortably around a small short glass table. Large windows look out over the bustling city street, sheer curtains muting the morning sun and giving the room a soft glow. Framed fashion sketches hang on the walls and more windows cast light onto the antique Louis XV writing desk and the woman who is moving behind it, giving her an ethereal glow. The sun catches her hair, making it look more like spun gold than soft blond curls.

 

“Forgive me for being late,” she says sighing as she shuffles through the papers on her desk and Charlotte can’t help but do as she says. “You’re here for the assistant job?”

 

Charlotte’s eyes are roving over her face, taking in the softness of her cheeks, the slight slant of her nose, the perfect bow of her lips. She is caught up not only in her beauty but the quiet authority she exudes. This woman holds power Charlotte can only admire. Her pale blue eyes meet Charlotte’s, lifting her eyebrow questioningly.

 

“Yes,” Charlotte’s says finally, fighting her blush as she holds out her hand. “Charlotte Jenson.”

 

“Amelia Domineck,” Amelia responds, grasping her hand firmly and giving it a slight shake. “Please sit.”

 

They both take their seats and Amelia eyes Charlotte appraisingly and Charlotte squirms under her penetrating gaze.

 

“Do you have a resume?” Amelia asks after a moment and Charlotte jumps, digging in her bag before handing her resume across the desk.

 

“Yes, sorry,” Charlotte replies chuckling and Amelia smiles softly before her eyes scan down the pages, her face settling into an unreadable mask.

 

It breaks into a pleasant expression as she reaches the bottom of the page. “You went to NYU,” her eyebrows raise. “The Stern School of Business.”

 

“Yes,” Charlotte says nodding, shifting in her seat.

 

“For finance.”

 

“Yes.”

 

“There’s no finance involved in this position,” Amelia says, tilting her head down slightly, eyeing the woman across from her.

 

“Yes, I know,” Charlotte responds and Amelia’s eyes narrow just slightly as she reads on.

 

“Bachelors in Finance, worked for Guage-Whitney,” Amelia’s eyebrows rush toward her hairline. “Impressive.”

 

Charlotte smiles tightly, feeling just slightly uncomfortable when Amelia’s ice cool eyes fall on her again.

 

“Only for eight months. What was your reason for leaving?” Amelia looks down again, flipping a page. “I see you’d been promoted from your entry level position.”

 

“Yes, I just…” Charlotte pauses, which causes Amelia’s eyes to return to her. “…needed a change of pace.”

 

“Too fast for you?” Amelia prods, her eyes boring into her and Charlotte shifts in her chair again.

“Not really, no,” Charlotte says, trying to choose her words carefully. “It wasn’t what I thought it would be.”

 

“Guage-Whitney is one of the foremost financial firms in Manhattan.” Amelia says, smiling somewhat suspiciously. “It says you were a financial analyst when you left.”

 

“Yes,” Charlotte responds, feeling herself beginning to sweat.

 

“Sounds fairly straight forward to me. Did they mislead you when hiring?” Amelia smiles wryly.

 

“No,” Charlotte says slowly, swallowing hard. “I was just going in a different direction.”

 

“And that led you here?” Amelia asks and Charlotte smiles.

 

“So it would seem.”

 

Amelia breaks into a smile for the first time and Charlotte is dazzled momentarily. “So it would seem.”

 

Amelia eyes her for a moment, taking in her plain but tidy appearance. Charlotte does her best not to squirm. They are silent, each appraising the other and Charlotte wonders if she’s completely botched this. If she has she’s quite possibly ruined her chances for an assistant job anywhere in the city. Amelia Domineck is big business, one of the most recognizable faces not only in the boardroom but in the papers as well. If word gets around that Charlotte is a bumbling idiot, any chance at a job goes flying out the window.

 

“Alright,” Amelia says, leaning back in her chair and smiling. “You’re hired.”

 

Charlotte’s jaw drops. “What?”

 

“I like you,” Amelia says nodding. “You’re educated, capable, fairly well dressed.” Charlotte looks down at herself. Amelia goes on. “You don’t buckle under pressure,” she smiles again, “and you have just enough cheek to keep things interesting.”

 

“Um,” Charlotte says, a slow grin creeping over her face, “thanks?”

 

Amelia nods. “The job consists mostly of errands. You’re going to be running all over the city, delivering and retrieving things for me. Not necessarily my dry cleaning but if Kaitie can’t get to it, it may come to that.”

 

Charlotte laughs. “I can handle that.”

 

“And now this is the important part,” Amelia says, her face serious and Charlotte nods. “You’ll be running things back and forth between my fiancé and I-”

 

Amelia’s sentence is cut off by a loud voice, masculine and deep, singing a pleasant tune.

 

What’s so maybe about? What’s so maybe ABOUT? What’s so maybe about Kaaaaaaaatie!!! You heard that song, Kaitie? BareNaked Ladies. Good stuff.”

 

A tall handsome man strolls easily into the room, a wry smile pulling at his lips. Charlotte’s eyes rove over him, taking in his shaved head and smooth jaw and down to his lanky frame donned in a suit that must have been tailor made by God. She tries hard not to stare but it’s difficult when it seems that his presence commands every ounce of your attention effortlessly. She wonders if this was a honed skill from his performing days or if it’s just inherent.

 

“Hey darlin’” he drawls brightly, moving around the desk to peck Amelia on the cheek.

 

She purses her lips but her eyes lighten as she looks up at him, trying for a withered look that doesn’t quite reach her eyes. The man grins down at her for a moment before his eyes fall on the woman in front of the desk.

 

“Hello,” he says simply and Charlotte tries her best not to gape at him.

 

“Charlotte, this is Justin Timberlake, my fiancé. Justin this is Charlotte. My new assistant.”

 

“Ah,” Justin says, reaching his hand to Charlotte, holding his tie against his chest as he leans over the desk. “I’m so sorry,” he says sarcastically, shaking Charlotte’s hand and she giggles, causing him to break into a grin.

 

“Oh, stop,” Amelia says swatting his side and he chuckles, moving around the desk.

 

“You almost done? I’m starving,” Justin says, moving about the room and looking around.

 

“Yes, just let me finish up here,” Amelia replies, rolling her eyes before sharing a look with Charlotte who smiles. Amelia is just about to open her mouth to speak again when:

 

“Can we go to Scalinatella today?”

 

Amelia gives Justin a look that causes him to cringe, turning away from the two women and fingering the trinkets on a side table pressed against a far wall. Amelia smiles at Charlotte again.

 

“As I was saying,” Amelia continues, eyes flitting to Justin, who is now settling back on one of the settees, shrugging his shoulders and popping his neck. “You’ll be running things back and forth between-” she stops. “What are you doing?”

 

Charlotte turns in her chair and finds Justin laying across one of the settees, one of his long legs dangling over the arm. He folds his arms behind his head, frowning and reaching for one of the small pillows nestled into the corner of the couch.

 

“Waiting,” he replies, stuffing the pillow under his head and sighing, wiggling a little until he is seemingly comfortable.

 

“Will you sit up please? You’re wrinkling your suit and you know how I hate it when you put your feet on my couches,” Amelia sighs shaking her head. “I’m sorry,” she adds to Charlotte.

 

“No problem at all.”

 

“You’ll be going back and forth between Justin and I and as you can imagine privacy is of the utmost-”

 

Amelia stops again and Charlotte jumps a strange thumping beat wafts through the air. Both women turn their eyes to Justin again, still finding him stretched out across the settee, hips lips pursed and vibrating as he bobs his head to the beat he’s setting.

 

“Justin!” Amelia exclaims harshly and the beat stops abruptly as he turns his face to her wide eyed. “I swear you should not be allowed in civilized society.”

 

Justin gives her a condescending look and Amelia returns with a wry smile. Charlotte shakes her head, turning back to Amelia who is still watching Justin, a disapproving look on her face but a lightness in her eyes.

 

“As you can see we have a lot that I don’t want getting out to the press-”

 

“Hey!” Justin exclaims looking at her offended but his eyes dance playfully.

 

“Oh fine,” Amelia says, throwing her hands in the air and sighing. “Charlotte can you come in tomorrow around nine and we’ll discuss this further?”

 

“Tomorrow?” Charlotte asks slightly astonished. Who knew it’d be this easy?

 

“Yes,” Amelia says, standing from her chair. She pauses. “Is that a problem?”

 

“No!” Charlotte exclaims smiling. “No, its just fast.”

 

“Well, this is New York,” Amelia says smiling as she reaches under her desk for her purse. “We never sleep.”

 

“Apparently, we never eat either,” Justin deadpans and Amelia glares at him.

 

“I’m coming,” she replies annoyed, moving from behind her desk and Charlotte stands. “It was a pleasure meeting your Charlotte. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

 

“Yes, thank you Ms. Domineck.”

 

“Call me Amelia.”

 

Justin grins, pulling himself up and walking over to them. “Or you could call her-”

 

“Don’t!” Amelia exclaims, glaring at him and Justin snaps his mouth shut. “I swear you are the most impatient man.”

 

“I’m hungry,” he whines and Amelia rolls her eyes.

 

“You’re a child,” she replies and he glares at her before looking away.

 

“You love me.”

 

“You hope I do.”

 

“You do.”

 

Charlotte watches as the two of them turn to the door, Amelia walking just ahead of Justin as they bicker back and forth. She briefly wonders if this job is going to be worth it, but she shakes her head, clearing the thought from her mind. It’s just running errands. How bad could it possibly be?

Chapter 2 by SomethingBlue42
“Good morning, Kaitie,” Charlotte sighs as steps into the office on a frigid and drizzly Tuesday morning.

For the past two weeks every morning has been the same. Come in at seven-thirty. Greet Kaitie. Brew the coffee. Review Amelia’s schedule. Find any faxes, memos, or other paper work needed for meetings and business lunches. It’s a nice morning routine and that’s been about the only thing routine about this job. Charlotte quickly learned that everything had a tendency to fall to hell when Amelia walked through the door.

“Felicity called in,” Kaitie responds by way of greeting her eyes not leaving the magazine spread out in front of her.

Charlotte rolls her eyes. Felicity. Justin’s assistant. Charlotte had become quite well acquainted with the young and giggly girl that was somehow in charge of Justin’s office. It was a miracle the building was still standing. The very first day Charlotte had met her she was on the phone, popping her gum noisily as she said “No, Mr. Timberlake isn’t in right now. Um he’s out…busy. Like…doing stuff for the label. Yeah. I’ll tell him you called. What’s your name again? Al… Green? Like the color? Okay I’ll tell him you called.” She had hung up, letting out an irritated sigh, and it was then her water blue eyes fell on Charlotte and she had smiled, revealing two perfect rows of white teeth.

“So you’re like…Amelia’s new assistant?” she asked, leaning back in her chair and nodding her head, a piece of her coppery hair falling gracefully into her eyes, scrutinizing Charlotte thoroughly as she smacked her gum. “Cool.”

You could say it was all down hill from there.

Kaitie sighs not even looking up from her magazine. “You have to go open Justin’s office.”

Charlotte freezes, her hand still on her jacket that she was hanging on the . She’s barely even gotten her jacket off and already her morning has been thrown from quiet routine to the uncomfortable unknown. Justin…is interesting to say the least. He was always smiling, always joking around and getting into messes. Just yesterday he’d somehow managed to staple his tie to someone’s record contract. Goofy yet graceful. He took everything in stride, doing things mostly for himself since Felicity was utterly useless.

“I’m sorry,” Charlotte says, shaking her and laughing slightly. “I have to go open Justin’s office? Doesn’t he have another assistant?”

Kaitie raises her head giving her a withered look. “Well, I suppose I could call his stylist but he doesn’t know much about Justin’s filing system.”

Charlotte fights the urge to roll her eyes. It’s a love/hate thing with her and Kaitie. Kaitie loves giving Charlotte all the jobs she hates to do herself. Kaitie sighs, leaning back in her chair and pulling out a set of keys from her middle desk drawer. She stands, holding them out to Charlotte, dangling from one dainty, perfectly lacquered finger.

“You just open the office. Just like you do here for Amelia,” Kaitie says in a way that Charlotte is sure is meant to be encouraging but comes off more as condescending. “In fact, I’m pretty sure Felicity still has as list of things to do taped to her desk.”

“What about Amelia?” Charlotte asks apprehensively, eyeing the door to the office.

“I’ll take care of that,” Kaitie says, pressing the keys into Charlotte’s hand. “You better get going. Traffic at this hour is a bitch.”

It takes Charlotte forty-five minutes to get to Justin’s office, most of which is spent stuck in gridlock, taxis and town cars lining the street as far as the eye can see, inching along 5th Avenue at a snails pace. When she’s three blocks from his building she finally gives in and pays the cabbie, stepping out into the bitter November chill and walking the rest of the way. Her hands are still like ice even after the elevator ride to the thirty-fifth floor as she fumbles with the key, finally letting herself into his offices and flicking on the light.

Her first stop is at the thermostat, turning up the heat and relishing in the blast of warm air that comes from the ceiling vent as the furnace kicks in. She moves around behind the small oak desk and sure enough a list of “open office duties” is taped haphazardly to the desk directly onto the wood. Charlotte squints, struggling to read Felicity’s loopy handwriting.

1. Turn on Lights.

Charlotte looks around amusedly, wondering briefly if she is being watched. She shakes her head, shrugging her coat off as she reads the next line.

2. Open Blinds…

Charlotte goes through all twelve items on the list, opening all the blinds, starting the coffee maker, checking the mail and separating it into neat piles, gathering the newspapers from outside the door and fanning them out neatly on Justin’s desk.

“Well, what do we have here?”

Charlotte nearly jumps out of her skin, reeling back from the desk and clutching at her chest, panic seizing her. She relaxes when she sees that it’s only Justin, standing in the doorway, holding his coat and grinning.

“Didn’t mean to scare you,” he says good naturedly, tossing his coat on one of the rugged leather chairs. “Fee call in?”

“Yeah,” Charlotte says, her heart finally starting to slow as he swaggers in, hands in his pockets, looking around.

“You follow the list?” he asks, smiling, and Charlotte feels her face heat up as she nods. “’Turn on the lights’ is my favorite.” He grins and then pulls his face into a look of mock contemplation, crossing his arms and tapping his chin, the picture of the thinking man, “But how can one read to turn on the lights in the dark?” He shrugs sighing. “It’s a mystery.”

Charlotte can’t help the giggle that pulls from her throat at his antics and he smiles widely at her.

“Oh you forgot one,” Justin says and Charlotte looks at him wide eyed. “The radio,” he says, walking behind the desk to the large bookshelf, flicking on the small receiver and Elton John’s “Bennie and the Jetts” fills the room. Justin’s eyes widen and a goofy smile breaks out over his handsome face

“Oh but they're weird and they're wonderfuuuuuul. Oh Bennie she's-a really keeeeeeeeeen!!!!!!” he sings, his voice swelling, rising and falling over the notes.

Charlotte stands there stunned, eyes riveted on the man in front of her, marveling in how he goes from pleasantly content to rapturously joyful as he begins to sing. She giggles nervously, looking around almost as if she were checking to see if anyone else is around to witness his outburst. He throws his arms out screwing up his face as he belts:

“She's got electric boots!!!” he drums the air. “a mohair suit!!!” he shakes his head from side to side, wiggling his hips slightly as he drums the air again. “You know I read it in a magazaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiine ooooooooh oooooooooh,”

Charlotte breaks out in a full on grin as he takes a deep breath fully prepared to…

“BUH-BUH-BUH-BENNY AND THE-”

“JUSTIN!!!”

Charlotte and Justin both cringe, his voice dying away to nothing as Amelia storms into the office, trench coat billowing out behind her, her face pulled into a fierce look of discontent. Justin reaches to turn the radio down, grinning uncertainly at her.

“Hey baby,” he says, moving to walk around the desk to her but thinks better of it and sits behind the desk instead. Better to have a large heavy object between them if she’s going to rant and rave and by the looks of it, it was going to be a doozey. Charlotte stands awkwardly next to him, not exactly sure what to do with herself.

Amelia strides up to the desk and it’s then that Charlotte sees the newspaper in her hand. She throws it down onto the desk, Justin’s hands flying back as the papers ruffle and settle enough for him to see the headline “AMELIA’S BIG DAY” with the picture of a classic satin A-line gown with beaded lace on a tulle overlay and an empire bodice. The sleeves are capped with spray beading, very short and rounded, barely covering the top of the shoulder. It is elegant and beautiful.

“Do you see this?!” Amelia asks, her voice heated, fire in her eyes. “THIS WAS GOING TO BE MY WEDDING DRESS!!!!”

Justin merely blinks at her, not sure as of what to say, but she seems to be waiting for a response from him. He swallows hard. “It looks good babe,” he says, picking up the paper and examining it. “I like the…beading?” he squints, “the little flowery looking things all over it. Those are nice.”

He looks up at her smiling but the look that blooms on Amelia’s face causes him to press his lips together and duck his head, much like a little kid that has been caught saying a curse word. Amelia snatches the paper from him and he sighs, resting his arms against his desk.

“Was, Justin. It was going to be my wedding dress,” she replies condescendingly, her voice holding that barely controlled tone. She tosses the paper down again and her voice booms inside the near silent room, “BUT NOW, NOW, THAT IT’S ON PAGE SIX I HAVE TO PICK A NEW ONE!!!!” Amelia purses her lips in a pout as she throws her hands in the air. She glares at Justin adding, “All because your ass had to be Mister SexyBack.”

Charlotte stands there in complete and utter shock. Over the past several weeks she had seen Amelia perturbed. She had seen her irate and even pissed off, but she had never seen her seething quite like she was at this moment. Charlotte looks at Justin who is eying Amelia curiously and almost fears for his safely.

“Well, you’re pretty famous yourself, babe,” Justin grins widely back at her and Charlotte cringes. The man just doesn’t know when to shut up.

Amelia’s eyes flair and she opens her mouth to say something but she’s cut off by a cool, even voice from the doorway.

“Now, Amelia we can’t blame poor Justin for everything.”

Charlotte looks up and her eyes widen as a slim brunette saunters into the office. She’s tall, long legs accentuated by low-waisted, straight-leg trousers. Her waist cinches and rounds into her breasts under a fitted linen camp style shirt with cuffed half sleeves. Her chestnut hair tumbles onto her shoulders in soft waves.

Justin breaks into a wide grin. “Well, well, well, Ms. Patti Wombles but she does not fall!”

“Oh Justin,” Amelia scoffs under her breath, bringing her hand to her forehead and rubbing her temple.

“Justin, darling it’s a pleasure as always,” Patti responds smiling flirtily at him as she walks toward him.

Justin takes her hand and kisses it, grinning cheekily at her. Amelia glares at them both, clearly not in the mood for their usual flirtation. Patti smirks at him before turning back to Amelia who is still pouting, eying the dress on the cover of the paper.

“Amelia,” Patti says, grabbing both of Amelia’s shoulders and looking her in the eye. “It’s going to be okay. A-line is so last season anyway! We’ll find you a fabulous dress and we’ll keep it under wraps,”

“Well, this dress was supposed to be under wraps,” Amelia whines but there’s a hard edge to her voice that makes her sound more ominous than pathetic.

“Darlin’ there are a million dresses out there,” Justin says, his voice soft and sympathetic. “You’ll find another one that’s even better.”

Amelia glares at him, folding her arms over her chest and scowling. Justin sighs, looking at her in a way that says he wishes he could help. He wishes he could change it and make it better, but he’s had his fill of dealing with the press and knows it’s better to just let it roll off your back. He’s been trying to convince Amelia of this for years but to no avail. His eyes fall on Patti and he smiles slowly, tilting his head to the side.

“Patti, does she really have to wear a dress?” he asks, his voice casual and all three women look at him like he’s lost his mind. “I mean it’s just gonna come off later…”

He grins and Amelia scoffs, throwing her hands in the air, Patti grins knowingly and Charlotte covers her mouth to suppress her giggle.

“Well, I’m not sure nude is the way to go on your wedding day,” Patti says, trying to suppress her smile as she looks at Amelia from the corner of her eye before turning her attention back to Justin. “But I’ve seen some really sexy options that are just fabulous.”

Justin raises his eyebrows, leaning on his elbows over his desk, eyeing Patti and grinning. “Oh really?”

“Oh yeah,” Patti says nodding. “I mean there are some backless numbers out right now that really accentuate…” Patti smirks at him. “your favorite part of the female form.”

Justin leans back in his chair, folding his arms behind his head and grinning, eyeing Amelia and licking his lips. “Oh really?”

Amelia glares at him but it doesn’t hold for long before she sighs, grabbing the paper again. She looks at the dress sadly and sighs again.

“Its just now we’re back to square one. I mean I’m going to need a completely different style-”

“Why?” Justin asks and Amelia glares at him.

“Because Justin,” Amelia sighs, throwing her hands in the air.

“Because why? You can just have a different dress but the same style,” he looks at Patti, “right?”

Patti looks at him for a moment. “Justin, if you were writing a song-”

“He doesn’t write songs anymore,” Amelia spats and Justin looks down, watching his hands smooth over the calendar on his desk.

“Yes but when you did,” Patti says giving Amelia a pointed look and Amelia silences. “When you did, if a song you wrote leaked three months before your album came out would you make it your first single?”

Justin narrows his eyes, thinking for a moment before pursing his lips, raising his eyebrows and nodding.

“No, I would pick something completely different.”

Patti grins. “Exactly! See,” Patti says, putting an arm around Amelia and giving her a squeeze, which Charlotte would never dream of doing no matter how long she’d known her. “Your fiancé is a smart man.”

Justin beams at this and nods. “See baby! I’m smart!”

Amelia gives him a wry smile and he grins brilliantly at her, pulling himself from his chair and walking around the desk. Amelia does not look at him, turning her head to the side and looking at the ceiling when he wraps his arms around her, nuzzling her neck affectionately. She tries to wiggle away but Justin is persistent, squeezing her tight and making small growling noises as he nuzzles against her throat.

“Okay, okay!” Amelia says, finally slapping his hands away and he stands there grinning down at her triumphantly. “New dress.”

“That’s my girl,” he says quietly, dropping a kiss on her forehead and Amelia smiles softly.

Amelia’s eyes fall on Charlotte who is still standing awkwardly next to Justin’s desk and she jumps, almost as if she completely forgot she was there. Charlotte shifts slightly from one foot to the other and Amelia takes a step back from Justin, adjusting her suit jacket. Justin steps back pursing his lips.

“I’m sorry,” Amelia says shaking her head, “Patti, this is Charlotte, my new assistant. Charlotte, this is Patti Wombles-”

“But she does not fall,” Justin says holding up a finger and Patti grins good naturedly. Amelia rolls her eyes.

“-my wedding planner.”

“Pleasure,” Patti says, reaching for Charlotte’s hand and Charlotte gives it a squeeze, nodding her head silently. “Okay Amelia, now lets talk about this new dress…I’m thinking tule…” Patti says, looking off into space as if envisioning it. She takes Amelia’s arm. “Lots and lots of tulle.”

“It’ll be fabulous,” Justin says, shaking his head from side to side as if shaking out a long mane of hair and Charlotte giggles.

“I’ll just…” Charlotte says motioning for the door and Amelia nods as she and Patti sit in the leather chairs, Justin moving to lean against the arm of Amelia’s chair.

He winks at Charlotte as she passes and she smiles at him unsurely. Sometimes she wonders how the hell someone like him wound up with someone like Amelia. Charlotte looks back as she’s about to leave the office, grabbing the door handle, and just as she’s about to close the it, she sees Justin’s hand settle on Amelia’s back and her shoulders relax, leaning into his touch slightly. Maybe they’ll work out after all.
Chapter 3 by SomethingBlue42

Charlotte breathes a sigh of relief as she and Amelia enter the large entrance hall of the Carlyle Hotel, thankful for a respite from the frigid city streets. She doesn’t have much time to enjoy the warmth of the lobby before her boss is striding towards the restaurant entrance, her blond hair standing out among the dark color scheme of the room. Charlotte scurries after her, catching up to her just in time to hear her say:

 

“…and I don’t want a table next to a wall. One of the center tables. Yes.”

 

The host smiles tightly, bidding them to follow him as he guides them into the opulent dining room. An older, dustier crowd dominates with some young European eye candy speckled throughout and Charlotte can’t help but feel slightly out of place in the shoes she bought at Macy’s three years ago. Amelia shines like porcelain in crisp white linen and dark gray cashmere, six inch stilettos pushing her already regal height into the stratosphere.

 

The host seats them in an elegant room furnished with pillow-sprinkled banquets and fortuny fabric covered walls, sconces illuminating the corners while large windows belayed in heavy drapery allow the early afternoon sun to shine feebly through all the fabric.

 

Charlotte lowers herself cautiously onto one of the large cushioned seats set around impeccably set, cloth covered tables, fearing that the cushion may just swallow her whole. But it’s surprisingly stiff and does not yield to her weight and she finds this oddly fitting for a place of such high attitude. Amelia slides onto her own cushioned chair and settles a bit before unfolding her napkin and placing it in her lap. Charlotte follows suit as she always does when Amelia insists on having lunch out.

 

Since taking this job, Charlotte has accompanied Amelia to lunch only a few times, usually business lunches where she took notes while the others ate. But this was the first time she had been invited to lunch with Amelia and only Amelia. Charlotte had at first thought Amelia was talking to Kaitie when she stepped out of her office and asked her to join her for lunch. Much to her (and Kaitie’s) surprise it was Charlotte that Amelia wanted to dine with. Charlotte was terrified. Kaitie was livid.

 

It seemed to be Kaitie’s goal in life to be Amelia’s best friend and confidant where as Charlotte was simply content doing her job. Frankly, any situation that involved herself and Amelia in a social setting seemed utterly ludicrous to Charlotte because she would never dream of seeing the inside of VIP and Amelia wouldn’t be caught dead in the Bronx.

 

“So Charlotte…” Amelia says as she opens her menu. “How are you liking the job so far?”

 

“Um,” Charlotte responds dumbly, opening her own menu and nearly choking at the sight of the prices. 50 dollars for fish? “I like it. I really do.”

 

“You’re getting on okay?” Amelia asks, peering over her menu at Charlotte. “No one giving you any trouble?”

 

“Oh no of course not,” Charlotte says smiling while running over every tedious errand Katie has had her run over the past several weeks.

 

Amelia eyes her. “Good.”

 

The waiter steps over, setting glasses of water in front of them and is just about to open his mouth to speak but before he can get a word out Amelia snaps her menu shut and looks up at him.

“I’d like a bottle of Perrier, don’t open it I can do it myself, and a cup of coffee, real coffee not espresso, black but I would like Equal on the side, not sugar, Equal. In the blue packets,” She turns to Charlotte who is staring at her slack jawed and looks at her expectantly

 

Charlotte snaps her mouth shut and then stutters, “Um…coke is fine.”

 

“Diet?” the waiter asks eyeing her and Charlotte blinks at him.

 

“Did she say diet?” Amelia asks, her eyes cutting him and Charlotte swears that she can see his Adam’s apple bob.

 

“N-no,” he stutters and Amelia gives him a tight smile.

 

“Then no, she doesn’t want diet,” Amelia opens her menu again, muttering “God only knows why...” Charlotte shifts uncomfortably and the waiter looks down at Amelia, clutching his notepad nervously. Amelia glances up at him and sighs. “That’s all.”

 

The waiter scurries off and Amelia turns to Charlotte, her face softening into a more pleasant expression as she peruses her menu. Charlotte looks around awkwardly, taking in the posh setting and the older debutants in their finery. She meets eyes with a man about her age sitting at a table with an older lady who could quite possibly be his grandmother but with the way he’s holding her hand Charlotte is relatively sure it’s not his grandmother. She looks away quickly lest he think her judging him, taking a sip of her water and looking the other direction.

 

“I ran into Anderson Cripps yesterday” Amelia says and Charlotte nearly chokes at the mention of her former boss’s name.

 

She swallows hard. “Really?”

 

“Yes,” Amelia says, eyeing her from over her menu. “He had nothing but glowing things to say about you.”

 

Charlotte blinks. This is going somewhere she’s sure. Amelia is very good at working her way into conversations and then dropping a bomb meant to daze the other person into divulging information they hadn’t wanted to reveal. Charlotte had seen her do it to Justin on so many occasions it was almost nauseating. Amelia would ask innocuous question after innocuous question until he thought he was safe and then she’d hit him with something hard and the poor bastard would stutter and fumble through excuses while Amelia ticked off more questions until he was so confused he agreed to whatever it was she wanted. He would walk away dazed and slightly bewildered, wondering how he had gotten himself so turned around. Charlotte tried to ready herself for whatever was coming.

 

“You left several months ago,” Amelia says offhandedly, her eyes flitting to Charlotte from over the top of her menu.

 

Even though this is simply an observational statement Charlotte can hear the question in the undertones. What were you doing in between jobs?

“Yes,” Charlotte responds, doing her best to ignore the underlying question. Amelia eyes her. No one ignores Amelia’s questions, underlying or not.

 

“Spending time in Europe?” she questions, smiling slightly and Charlotte laughs good naturedly. Where were you when you weren’t working? Don’t make me flat out ask you.

 

“I wish,” she replies. “I went home for a little while.” Charlotte’s stomach clenches. Why did she mention that?

 

Amelia pounces. “And where is home?”

 

“Pennsylvania,” Charlotte responds, shifting slightly, watching Amelia’s face from the corner of her eye but she betrays nothing.

 

“Pittsburgh?” You seem like the poor steel worker’s daughter type.

 

“Close. Cannonsburg. Just a little outside of Pittsburgh,”

 

“And what do your parents do?” Just how poor are you?

 

“My father worked in the coalmines,” Charlotte says, praying that Amelia doesn’t ask…

 

“And your mother?”

 

“Homemaker,” Charlotte says, the word bitter on her tongue. Nothing is more deplorable to a woman like Amelia than a stay at home mom.

 

Amelia’s head snaps up but her face betrays nothing. “Well isn’t that adorable? You’re an only child?” You must be on that salary.

 

“No actually,” Charlotte replies, shifting awkwardly. “Youngest of three. Only girl.”

 

The waiter returns with their drinks and Charlotte breathes a sigh of relief as he sets them silently on the table. Charlotte snatches her drink, taking a sip, cringing as the fake sugar hits her tongue. Diet.

 

“Are you ready to order?” he asks as jovially as possible though his apprehension at having to take Amelia’s order is quite evident.

 

“I’ll have the Dover Sole, braised in champagne, the good champagne not the usual champagne you use for lunch. I would liked steamed asparagus with that and please make sure its crunchy, if its soft I’ll send it back so get it right the first time. And jasmine rice.” Amelia snaps her menu shut and holds it out to him, sighing while he frantically scribbles down her order and doesn’t take it right away.

 

“And for you miss?” he asks, looking at Charlotte in a way that says “please god be normal.”

 

“Um,” Charlotte looks down at the menu. She hadn’t even had time to make a choice, having been too busy playing 20 Questions with Amelia. “I guess…uh…I’ll…I’ll have the same.”

 

The waiter gives her a curt nod before taking her menu and working through the maze of tables, putting as much distance between himself and them as possible. Who could blame him?

 

“What made you decide on finance at NYU?” Amelia asks, picking up right where they left off.

 

Charlotte can feel herself beginning to sweat. “Well, there’s good money in it.”

 

“Especially if you’re working at Gauge-Whitney,” Amelia replies “Were you close with Anderson?” Amelia asks casually. Did you sleep with him?

 

And there it was. Amelia thinks she quit because of some interoffice affair. Good guess. Anderson’s reputation as a savvy market analyst was only eclipsed by his reputation as a man-whore. His wife must either be blind or stupid.

 

“Not really. He was just my boss,” Charlotte responds, smiling. There was something oddly freeing about leaving Amelia wanting. Probably because it rarely ever happened. Time to turn the tables. “You must be excited to be getting married.”

 

Amelia looks at her slightly bewildered but then gives her a small smile. Okay we’ll call this one a draw. For now. “Yes, there’s a lot to do.”

 

“Justin seems like a great guy,” Charlotte responds and she means it.

 

Amelia wasn’t kidding when she said Charlotte’s main job would be ferrying information back and forth between herself and her fiancé. Charlotte made at least four trips a day to Justin’s office, often bearing the brunt of bad news or some crazy demand of Amelia’s. But he was always the gentleman, charming and witty, quick with a joke and a smile, sometimes a wink if he was feeling particularly cheeky that day. Although she couldn’t really get past the fact that he let Amelia walk all over him, Charlotte was really beginning to see that it was impossible not to adore Justin. He was goofy and at times utterly helpless but he always managed to make her laugh which was refreshing after spending the day with Amelia who didn’t seem to find anything remotely humorous ever.

 

“He is,” Amelia responds coolly, stirring the sugar into her coffee slowly, watching it swirl and dissipate into the hot liquid.

 

Charlotte often wondered what they saw in each other. They were complete opposites. Everything about Justin seemed to annoy Amelia and Justin had to be sick of her tantrums by now. But they were getting married. There had to be some reason.

 

“How did the two of you meet?” Charlotte prods gently, taking another sip of her soda, cringing again when she forgets that its diet.

 

“Through my father,” Amelia replies, bringing her coffee cup to her lips. “I was a young, up and comer in the A&R department at Daddy’s label and Justin was doing some production work with some of our artists.”

 

“How long have you guys been together?” Charlotte asks carefully. She’s not exactly sure how long this glimpse into Amelia’s character will last so she’s trying to tread lightly.

 

“Oh good lord,” Amelia says, squinting as she looks to the ceiling, thinking. “Three? Yes about three. He was just getting off that godforsaken tour, doing movies.” Amelia opens her bottle of Perrier making a face as she adds, “Thank God he got over all of that.”

 

“He doesn’t do much with his own career any more huh?” Charlotte asks, thinking more to herself but Amelia responds bluntly.

 

“He has his career.” Amelia’s eyes cut Charlotte and she looks down chastised. “It’s just more on the business end now. He likes it.” Amelia nods assuredly.

 

“You two seem so…” Charlotte pauses searching for the words. “terrible for each other” are the only ones that are coming to mind.

 

“Different?” Amelia supplies for her with a smile. “Yeah, I’ve grown up a lot since we got together. Justin…” she pauses shaking her head and sighing. “not so much. I’m hoping he changes a little once we get married.”

 

“How do you mean,” Charlotte asks before she can stop herself. What’s so wrong with the way he is now?

 

“Just…I dunno, Amelia says sighing as she sets her coffee cup down. “He’s just such a child sometimes. He’s constantly getting himself into messes. He never takes anything seriously.” Amelia shakes her head and Charlotte can’t help but think these are things she likes about Justin. “And he’s a huge flirt.”

 

Charlotte is silent at this. Amelia smirks.

 

“Don’t think I don’t know how he is,” Amelia replies slyly, and then she leans towards Charlotte in a conspiratory way, causing Charlotte to lean in as well. “Why do you think I hired that bimbo wedding planner?”

 

Charlotte’s jaw drops and Amelia laughs.

 

“Really Charlotte! Patti is far from the best wedding planner in the city.” Amelia shakes her heard sighing. “But she’s a curvy brunette and Justin likes curvy brunettes.” Amelia smoothes a hand over her perfectly coiffed blond locks and her gaze catches on Charlotte, her eyes narrowing just slightly before grinning. “You know he probably likes you too.”

 

Charlotte’s eyes widen, a tremor of panic shaking through her. She doesn’t know what to say. Would “thank you” be an appropriate response? Or maybe a vehement denial?

 

The waiter approaches with their food, Charlotte breathing a sigh of relief at the fact that she doesn’t have to answer. She nearly jumps out of her chair when she sees that her lunch is staring back at her, the large fish braised but still containing its head and tail. She looks to Amelia who is reaching for the pepper and watches as she sprinkles her own dead fish with seasoning before digging her fork into its body, continuing on.

 

“But she’s got a nice ass. And if there’s one thing Justin cannot resist it’s a nice ass.”

 

“You’re…you’re setting him up?” Charlotte asks, slightly unbelieving and Amelia lets out a small cough of a laugh.

 

“It’s a simple test,” Amelia replies bringing her fork to her lips. “He’s done well so far,” she frowns. “The flirting is getting more intense but as far as I know nothing’s happened.” She sets her fork down, looking at Charlotte pointedly. “And I always know.”

Chapter 4 by SomethingBlue42

“And then if it is at all possible can you get lunch reservations at Daniel for tomorrow?”

 

Amelia throws this over her shoulder to Charlotte as she steps in the elevator of the Pierre Hotel, Charlotte nodding and struggling to hold onto all of Amelia’s bags as she follows her inside.

 

“Ugh what a horrendous day,” Amelia groans with a sigh, slouching back against the railing as the elevator begins it’s ascent.


Charlotte can only agree. Four business meetings before lunch, a disaster with the florist in the early afternoon, and then some shopping therapy has left Charlotte feeling exhausted and thanking God it is Friday. She watches Amelia slowly rub her temples for a moment before turning her attention to the floor indicator.

 

“Who are we meeting here?” Charlotte asks offhandedly, turning her head to her shoulder, fighting back a yawn.

 

Amelia blinks at her. “No one. I live here.”

 

Charlotte looks at her, a bewildered expression covering her face. Amelia lives here? She’s surprised but still finds it completely fitting. Upon entry to the lobby Charlotte had felt instantly resized, the great round lobby with its blue sky ceiling and crushed velvet-covered chairs cozy and inviting although the patrons were not. The elevator continues to climb and Charlotte glances at the floor panel finding the penthouse button lit. Of course.

 

The doors finally open to a white marble floored lobby of sorts, the heavy oak doors in front of them large and somewhat foreboding. Amelia strides forward, pushing the door open and letting herself in. Charlotte follows, mouth slightly agape instantly awed by the sight that greets her.

 

The foyer is nothing more than a mass of black steps climbing high to a small landing where the stairs split and disappear into the ceiling. Rooms seem to hide behind the grand staircase, hallways slinking back into the recesses of the building, holding little pieces of Amelia’s life.

 

Charlotte finds it strange being in Amelia’s home. Amelia sleeps here, eats here, bathes here. All the normal things people do when they’re at home. In that moment, Charlotte finds herself guilty of something Amelia does everyday to her. She has forgotten that Amelia is an actual living, breathing human being. Charlotte had gotten herself so caught up in the business that is Amelia Domineck and had almost forgotten that she is first and foremost a woman just like herself.

 

“Good she’s still here,” Amelia mutters to herself, checking her watch. She looks up at Charlotte. “I need to talk to the maid about the mess she made of my Valentino gown.”

 

Okay maybe not just like herself.

 

“And Justin’s home,” Amelia says with a sigh, rolling her eyes and its then that Charlotte hears the soft tinkling of piano keys, the sound seeming to come from heaven. “And playing that god forsaken piano. I swear I’d get rid of it if it hadn’t been a gift from Sting.”

 

Amelia huffs, plucking her gloves from her long fingers, dropping them and her coat onto a small French arm chair next to the door. Charlotte shifts from one foot to the other, wiggling her fingers around the shopping bag handles, trying to alleviate some of the pressure while waiting for instructions.

 

“I’m going to find that maid,” Amelia says walking briskly around the staircase, her stilettos tapping smartly on the wooden floor. “Charlotte, go upstairs and tell Justin to stop with the racket please. I have a headache.”

 

“Um…okay,” Charlotte says uneasily as Amelia disappears into the recesses of the house.

 

Charlotte sets the bags on the floor, sighing in relief as she curls and uncurls her arm, her muscles screaming in protest. She takes a cautious step onto the staircase, biting her lip and eyeing the hallway Amelia just disappeared through. Was this a trick? Ever since lunch earlier that week Charlotte had been especially careful around Justin, weary that maybe Amelia was testing her as well. It was entirely possible. Justin did flirt with her, but no more than he did with anyone else. But Charlotte was relatively sure none of that mattered to Amelia, considering her boss was just interested in testing her fiancé. It didn’t really matter who the bait was.

 

She shook her head, trying to clear it as she climbed the stairs and if she hadn’t been out of breath already from the steep climb, the grandeur of the room would have stolen it from her lungs upon sight. Charlotte gazes around feeling almost as if she should genuflect, the twenty foot high rounded ceiling reminiscent of a cathedral, the blond oak floors gleaming like rays of light. French doors stretch from floor to ceiling overlooking the sunset on Central Park, sconce lighting and a magnificent chandelier illuminating the room.

 

The room is the size of a grand ballroom and Charlotte lets her mouth hang open as she takes in the quiet opulence of the space. It has the feel of a quiet French château on steroids. Her eyes travel around the room, roving over small settees and overstuffed chairs, heavy mahogany coffee tables and delicate floor lamps. She’s startled when her gaze falls on the piano, so caught up in her astonishment she had almost forgotten anyone else was there.

 

Justin is seated at the grand piano, his black suit jacket discarded on one of the nearby chairs, the sleeves of his sea blue dress shirt rolled up to his elbows. He sways gently to the music he’s making, his eyes closed, letting the rolling notes of the piano move his body. She thinks she recognizes the song, but she can’t quite place it, stepping forward as she tries to decipher the tune.

 

His eyes open and she freezes where she stands, a deer caught in the headlights. He grins widely at her, his fingers still dancing across the keys.

 

“Hey Charlotte!” he beams jovially and she smiles at him uncertainly. He’s always so happy to see her, or so it seems. Such a charmer

 

“Hi,” she replies shyly and he tugs his head back, beckoning her closer as his song changes to something slow and pulsing and Charlotte would know that melody anywhere.

 

“You like this song,” he asks smiling knowingly and that’s when Charlotte realizes she’s grinning like a fool as she rushes towards him.

 

“Yeah, its one of my favorites!” Charlotte exclaims, bobbing her head to the beat that is so engrained in her.

 

It reminds her of crisp autumn days, coming home from school to find her father asleep in the armchair, soot smudged across his nose and the record player spinning. It reminds her of summer nights, sitting on the front porch of their Pennsylvania farm house, listening to the crickets sing and the radio crackle out this melody. It reminds her of her brothers playing football in the yard. It reminds her of her parents dancing in the living room. It reminds her of home. A dull ache settles in her chest at the remembrance, a pang of longing for her childhood home, for the lost years of her youth.

 

Remember when the days were long / And rolled beneath a deep blue sky / Didn’t have a care in the world / With mommy and daddy standing by…

 

Charlotte’s breath catches in her throat as his voice rings out into the large room, his shoulders shimmying just slightly as his long fingers glide across the keys. He grins at her as he sings and he’s just genuinely happy to have someone listen. He hasn’t performed in a long time and he finds, as he always does when it happens, he’s missed it, a tension in his chest lifting and he’s never more free than he is right now at this piano with just this one person listening to him sing.

 

“…Offer up your best defense / But this is the eeeeeeeeeeeend / This is the eeeeeeeeeeeeeeend of the innocence.”

 

He stops there, just after the end of the first chorus, fearing he’ll never stop if he goes on, the piano dying away as his hands pull back. He opens his eyes to find Charlotte staring at him in awe, her green eyes dancing happily and he can’t remember the last time someone has looked at him that way. He’s performed in front of thousands, millions if you count television audiences, but none of that compares to right now and the look on Charlotte’s face.

 

He smiles at her and she blinks, shaking her head as if to clear it and tucks her hair behind her ear nervously, an awkward silence stretching out between them.

 

“Hey, have you ever heard this one?” Justin asks, swallowing hard and shaking his head, cutting the awkwardness with a slow, deep melody.

 

Charlotte screws up her face and listens hard. “No…I don’t think so,” she resigns after a moment and he grins.

 

“Hush hush, sweet Charlotte / Charlotte, don't you cry / Hush hush, sweet Charlotte / He'll love you till he dies”

 

Charlotte gasps at him, blushing furiously and he laughs, his voice stopping but his fingers still coax the melody out of the instrument, grinning up at her.

 

“I didn’t even know there was a song with my name in it,” Charlotte confesses, her cheeks burning and Justin grins, nodding.

 

“Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte by Patti Page...” he says sighing, “who's other numbers also include…” he trails and the tune turns jaunty and playful, “How much is that dooooooggy in the window, He barks playfully and Charlotte has to cover her mouth to suppress her giggles, “the one with the waaaaaaggly taaaaaaaaail”

“Justin what on earth are you doing?

 

Its Amelia’s voice, annoyed yet slightly amused and the music stops, Justin’s hands jumping back from the keys and he smiles at his fiancé. She crosses her arms over her chest, raising an eyebrow at him and Charlotte watches his neck redden slightly. He stands from his place at the piano and pads over to her opening his arms to engulf her in an embrace. Amelia allows him to kiss her cheek, her fingertips running down his forearms.

 

“Charlotte you can go now,” she says, frowning as she unrolls one of Justin’s sleeves. “I’ll see you Monday.”

 

“Okay, see you Monday,” Charlotte replies, heaving a small sigh of relief that her day is finally over and moving towards the staircase.

 

“Nice talking to you, Charlotte,” Justin adds and Charlotte looks back, finding him grinning at her and she gives him a small smile in return before disappearing down the stairs

 

“What do you say we stay in tonight?” Amelia asks, buttoning Justin’s cuff and he gives her a bewildered look.

 

“It’s Friday night,” he says, allowing her to unroll his other sleeve and button the cuff for him. “You feelin’ okay babe? You weren’t abducted by aliens were you?” His eyes grow large, his voice alarmed, “You’re not a pod person are you?”

 

“Oh stop,” Amelia scoffs, reaching to straighten his tie

 

“Quick, what’s my nickname?!” Justin exclaims grabbing onto her biceps in mock panic.

 

“Oh Jesus Christ,” Amelia mutters, rolling her eyes.

 

“Wrong!” Justin exclaims then screws up his face, pondering. “That’d be a pretty ambitious nickname.”

 

“Oh shut up.”

 

Justin grins cheekily. “You sure you’re okay?” he asks, his face softening, reaching up to hook his finger under her chin. “You always wanna go out on Friday nights.”

 

“And you never wanna go out on Friday nights,” Amelia snaps and Justin tenses, waiting for her to either blow up or move on “Ugh I’m just exhausted,” Amelia sighs, her eyes closing and Justin nods, pulling her against his chest, swaying her gently.

 

“We can stay in,” he says softly, his fingers smoothing against her hair. “Movie night?”

 

“That would be great,” Amelia sighs and he pulls back grinning

 

“Casablanca?” Justin asks bouncing excitedly. That’s just what he needs, not the fans, or the lights, or the music. Just a night with Bogey and his girl.

 

“Uh I was thinking The English Patient,” Amelia replies and Justin’s heart drops a little but he nods, smiling at her.

 

“You go change. I’ll get the movie set up,” he says, pecking her forehead and she pats his chest turning towards their bedroom. “Hey I’ll even let you wear one of my old t-shirts,” he hollers by way of suggestion and she doesn’t even turn around, just gives him a short wave of acknowledgement.

 

Justin sighs, trudging down the steps and snaking back around the staircase toward the entertainment room. Flicking on the lights, he grabs the remote trying to remember all the buttons it takes to turn the damn thing on. Best of the best, that’s what Amelia always has to have. God forbid it be convenient. He presses a few buttons, furrowing his brow and his head snaps up when he hears a click and the large flat-screen glows blue.

 

“Okay now for the DVD player,” he mutters to himself, pressing another button and the lights dim. He growls in frustration.

 

“Having trouble?”

 

Its Amelia’s voice from the doorway and he turns to find her in cream silk pajamas, a tiny polo player embroidered on the breast pocket. He frowns.

 

“I said you could wear one of my shirts,” he says, hoping she’ll get his hint but she merely blinks at him.

“Why on earth would I do that?” she asks taking the remote from his hands. “I have pajamas.” Justin sighs. “Go change. I’ll set up the movie.” She smirks at him.

 

He gives her a rueful grin before pinching her ass, receiving a yelp in return and darting out of the room before she can smack him. He returns minutes later in a thin t-shirt and pajama pants, finding Amelia curled up on one of the large couches, the previews playing. Justin bites his lip, sneaking up and then bounding over the back of the couch, Amelia screeching loudly in surprise as he plops down next to her. He dissolves into laughter and Amelia scoffs smacking his shoulder.

 

“You scared me to death!” she exclaims as he settles next to her, leaning against her slightly.

 

“As was my plan,” he replies, his arms going around her waist as he nuzzles at her neck and she squirms, reaching for the remote.

 

“You’re an ass,” she responds, pressing play and he grins cheekily at her, nibbling at her ear.

 

“You love it,” he says sighing, slouching down and resting his cheek against her bicep as the movie starts.

 

“I thought you were going to get rid of those pants,” Amelia says and Justin looks down at himself, brushing his hands on the balled up cotton on his thigh.

 

“I like these pants,” he replies.

 

“You have that nice silk set my mother got you for Christmas and you run around in that threadbare cotton,” Amelia sighs and Justin nuzzles her arm.

 

“I like these,” he says again, one large hand smoothing across her stomach and Amelia looks at him, a smirk pulling at her lips.

 

“Oh and you don’t like the ones my mother got you?”

 

Justin tenses, looking up at her and finding her eyebrow lifted, a questioning look on her face. He swallows hard.

 

“Um…I do! I do like them I just…like these better,” he replies, cringing slightly, waiting for her reaction.

 

She turns back to the television. “I like the silk ones.”

 

“Yes, dear,” he replies, settling against her again, struggling to get comfortable, his head resting against Amelia’s arm. “Hey babe?” he questions, his hand running down her thigh.

 

“Yes?” she replies, watching his hand out of the corner of her eye.

 

“Scratch my head,” he says, sliding all the way down so that his head lays in her lap, his feet dangling off the end of the couch.

 

Amelia sighs, irritated as her hand falls to his head, long nails scraping against his scalp soothingly. He sighs, eyes closing as he turns his face into her stomach.

 

“Your hair is getting long,” Amelia says off handedly. “You should have Felicity make you an appointment.”

 

“I can shave it myself, babe,” he replies, his hand coming up and letting his fingers brush the underside of her forearm as her hand moves over the short bristles of his hair

 

“Yes but then you get hair all over the bathroom,” Amelia chides, her fingers tugging on the short strands.

 

“I was thinking of letting it grow a little bit anyway,” he says, kissing her lower stomach softly and allowing his eyes to close as her nails scrape over the sweet spot on his crown.

 

Amelia’s hand stops. “Why? I like it short.”

 

Justin doesn’t open his eyes, hoping her fingers will start again. “Just something different,” he says, shrugging as he presses his lips to her stomach again.

 

“Do you wanna have sex?” Amelia asks suddenly and Justin’s eyes fly open, looking up at her slightly bewildered.

 

“Huh?”

 

“You’re all over me,” Amelia replies, a slight edge in her voice but her face is a mask. “I assume you wanna have sex?”

 

This is a dangerous question. Justin watches her for a moment but can’t discern her features. He hates when she does this to him. Poses a question that has a fifty-fifty shot of pissing her off. If he says yes then he’s an insensitive ass who only wants to get laid. If he says no, and that’s the wrong answer, then he has to sit through a forty minute conversation on why he doesn’t want to have sex. He takes a deep breath.

 

“I was just cuddling you, babe,” he says softly, hoping the smooth caress of his voice will calm her if need be. “You don’t wanna cuddle?” He gives her a charming smile and waits for her reaction, his stomach tight.

 

She stares down at him for three long seconds before cracking a smile and shaking her head. “Okay sometimes I really think you’re the woman in this relationship.”

 

Justin sighs in relief, chuckling slightly as he rolls so he’s facing the television, his cheek resting on Amelia’s warm thighs. Crisis averted. His stomach uncoils slightly and he fights the disappointed sound in his throat when her hand slides from his head to rest on his shoulder, feeling her settle in to watch the movie. His cheek rubs against the cool silk of her pajamas, wishing it was the smooth skin of her bare legs but he’s happy to just be here with her. Just him and her watching a movie. He loves her. He really does. Despite all she puts him through. He loves her.

End Notes:

 

Songs Used

"End of the Innocence" by Don Henley
"Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte" by Patti Page
"Doggy in the Window" by Patti Page

Chapter 5 by SomethingBlue42

Four of diamonds on five of clubs. Five of clubs on six of hearts. New card is the three of diamonds. Charlotte sighs as she clicks on the new card and drags it up onto the diamond foundation and goes through the tableau of cards on her screen, picking out the five of diamonds and then the six before she has to go to her stock pile to draw three more cards. She sighs, glancing down at the clock at the corner of the screen and seeing that she still has twenty more minutes until Kaitie gets back from lunch and Amelia returns from her meeting with Patti.

 

It’s relatively quiet for a Monday, no big meetings or phone conferences, no important paperwork to be ferried from here to there. Charlotte attributes it to the upcoming Christmas season, projects slowing to a halt until the start of the New Year. But even the upcoming holiday hasn’t quelled Amelia’s insane wedding schedule. Patti has been in the office nearly every day, talking about flowers, themes, table cards and flower girl dresses and Charlotte was in Justin’s office nearly every day with fabric for him to feel and ink colors for him to choose from, even though Amelia always did what she wanted whether it was Justin’s preference or not. But it was a way for Charlotte to get out of the office and sometimes the break would be just what she needed to keep her sanity. Justin would always greet her with a grin and a wave, doing that little half stand thing some guys do when women enter the room.

 

She’s grown quite fond of Justin, enjoying his corny jokes and rolling her eyes at his little jabs. He’s like the old uncle at every family reunion that tells dirty jokes and teases you mercilessly. You tolerate it all evening and by the end you kind of start to enjoy it. 

 

Charlotte stifles a yawn, checking the clock again and then glancing out the window onto the glittering street below. Fifth Avenue shines in red, green, and gold and tiny people all bundled up are hurrying to get where they’re going as a wicked chill blows its way through Central Park. The sky is a dark gray color and there’s call for snow by the end of the day. Charlotte checks the clock again. Maybe Amelia will let her go early. She still has some Christmas shopping to do and anything is better than sitting in the office waiting for the phone to ring or waiting for Amelia to find something to complain about.

 

She nearly jumps out of her skin as the door to the office opens and Amelia breezes in, her cheeks pink from cold, her blond hair flowing down over her shoulders in soft curls. She is a vision in charcoal gray, her alabaster skin glowing in the soft light. Charlotte immediately closes her game of Solitaire and stands, waiting to be told what to do.

 

“Good afternoon, Amelia,” she says after a moment, watching Amelia unwrap herself from the woolen cocoon of her cape.

 

“Oh it’s hardly good,” Amelia snaps and Charlotte braces herself for what’s coming. “Would you just look at these?”

 

Amelia drops a plain white box on the desk and Charlotte gives her a cautious look before pulling the top of the box off. Sitting in a bed of tissue paper is a small card, wrapped in brilliant white gossamer like some beautiful gift Charlotte could only dream was for her. A small square placard turned on its corner and emblazoned with beautifully scripted lettering, a small “A” and “J” with a large “T” in the middle, sits in the center of the swathed invitation, adhered to the wrapping, holding the gossamer in place. Charlotte looks up at Amelia who nods, urging her to continue. Charlotte gently tears away the tag, her fingertips brushing the soft gossamer before peeling it away. Underneath the light fabric is a small card, brilliant white and smooth like no paper Charlotte has ever felt, gate folded so that it opens from the center. On the left gate is an embossed letter “A” in beautiful script and across the opening line in the paper is a matching letter “J.” Charlotte holds her breath as she opens the card, the heavy paper resistant against her as she pulls so it unfolds gracefully, the two sides expanding into a double gate. Inside in elegant black script is the following:

 

Amelia

daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Preston Domineck
and
Justin Randall Timberlake
son of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Harless
request the honor of your presence

as they exchange vows of marriage

on Saturday, the twenty-fifth of June

two thousand and eleven
at six o'clock in the evening
St. Thomas Church
1 W 53rd St
New York, New York

 

Charlotte looks up at Amelia who is staring at her expectantly and she doesn’t know what to do. In her hands is one of the single most beautiful things she has ever seen. She couldn’t possibly fathom what’s wrong with it.

 

“I think they’re beautiful,” Charlotte says after a moment, feeling she might as well take her chances as opposed to trying to guess what was wrong with them.

 

Amelia rolls her eyes and snatches the card from Charlotte’s hands, irritated. “The typography is all wrong!” she exclaims, huffing as she charges back into her office. She’s still talking, her voice muffled by the wall separating them and Charlotte has to listen hard to catch what she’s saying, “I specifically said Citadel Script medium and this is clearly Citadel Script bold. That ninth grader they had working in sales had no clue what he was doing. Ugh I knew I should have gone with the printers I wanted instead of humoring…GET JUSTIN ON THE PHONE!”

 

Charlotte jumps at the sudden rise in hostility, scrambling to reach for the phone and sighing as she listens to it ring, hearing Amelia in the background all the while. “This is just horrible. I could have freehanded these better myself!”

 

Charlotte cringes. Felicity better answer the phone pretty damn quick because Amelia’s tone is going from annoyed to irate, babbling on about the space between the letters and the paper isn’t even really all that great and it cost a bloody fortune…

 

“Yeeeeeeeello.”

 

Charlotte’s attention is jerked back to the phone in her hand as a jovial male voice greets her. She’s slightly shocked by the informal greeting and it takes her a beat before speaking.

 

“Er…”

 

“Oh…shit…um…” she hears the voice mutter, then what sounds like the clearing of a throat and then a cool, lazy, “Justin Timberlake’s office.”

 

“Um…Justin?” Charlotte asks, leaning over and peering into Amelia’s office, finding her leaning over the invitation spread out over her desk, examining it with a magnifying glass, still muttering to herself.

 

“Charlotte! Hey girl, how are you?” he asks and she can hear the grin in his voice, causing a smile to pull at her own lips.

 

“Well I’m-”

 

“Did he just answer the phone?” Amelia asks, suddenly stopping her examination of the invitation and looking at Charlotte through narrowed eyes. Charlotte cringes turning back in her chair.

 

“Amelia in a bad mood?” Justin asks with a sigh and Charlotte rubs her forehead.

 

“When isn’t she?” Charlotte mutters and then gasps, her hand flying to her mouth and the line is quiet for a moment.

 

Why did she say that? What the hell was she thinking? You don’t talk about your boss that way and you sure as hell don’t do it on the phone with your boss’s fiancé. Charlotte is panicking, trying to think of anything that could possibly account for her statement. She was talking to someone else maybe? About something completely different? But it’s then that Justin’s loud laughter echoes through the phone, gasping for breath, coughing with the intensity of it.

 

“Oh god, tell me she heard you say that?”

 

“Ugh never mind,” Charlotte hears Amelia mutter from the other room and then her voice is in her ear right along with Justin’s. “What are you doing answering the phone? Where’s Felicity?”

 

“Well I-”

 

“Oh never mind, get over here. These invitations are horrendous.” A click sounds and Charlotte knows Amelia has hung up. She hears Justin sigh.

 

“See you in a few,” Charlotte offers meekly and Justin laughs but it fades quickly.

 

“Yeeeeeah.”

 

It takes Justin forty-five minutes to get to Amelia’s office. Forty-five agonizing minutes in which Charlotte spends going through the week’s schedule while trying to ignore her boss’s Jimmy Choo’s tapping irritatedly against the floor. Kaitie breezes back in from lunch and she and Amelia spend a good fifteen minutes examining the invitations and picking them apart while Charlotte pretends to organize the filing cabinet in the front office. She still thinks the invitations are gorgeous and knows if that’s her opinion than it isn’t welcome in there.

 

Charlotte is bent down under the desk when Justin finally arrives, hurrying through the door and bouncing on his toes in an effort to keep warm.

 

“Hey Charlotte, where’s the fire?”

 

Charlotte raises up quickly, cracking the back of her head against the desk and yelping in surprise, an obscenity flying from her lips. She winces, rubbing the tender spot as her eyes fall on Justin who looks slightly shocked by her outburst but chuckles none the less, stepping towards her in concern.

 

“You okay?”

 

“Yeah,” she replies weakly, rubbing the acorn sized knot raising on her crown and she can still hear Amelia going at it in the other room.

 

“Do you SEE the way this loop on the M touches the A....if it wasn’t bold this wouldn’t be happening…

 

Charlotte shakes her head. “What’d you say?”

 

“Just asked where the fire was,” he grins, rubbing his hands together quickly. “So I can stand next to it…it’s cold as-.”

 

“THERE you are,” Amelia exclaims striding out of her office, invitation in hand, Kaitie following to stand in the doorway. “What took you so long?”

 

“Hey darlin’” Justin drawls, walking over to her and pecking her cheek softly, running a hand up and down her back.

 

“I called you forty-five minutes ago,” Amelia says and Justin sighs, stepping back from her.

 

“I’m sorry babe, traffic was ridiculous and it took me forever to get a cab-”

 

“Cab?” Amelia asks, her face screwing up in confusion. “Why on earth did you take a cab?”

 

Justin’s eyes widen slightly and he shifts from foot to foot. He hadn’t wanted to tell her that. “Um…”

 

“Is there any particular reason you took a cab as opposed to the town car service for your building?” Amelia asks, raising an eyebrow and Charlotte glances at Kaite who widens her eyes and cringes, slinking around Amelia and over to the filing cabinets.

 

Justin can feel himself tensing under Amelia’s severe gaze. “Um...I like cabs...”

 

“You like cabs?” Amelia asks, chuckling slightly and shaking her head. She trains her eyes on him. “Did Felicity get the fax I sent earlier?”

 

Charlotte cringes, turning to the computer and swirling the mouse around on the screen. She doesn’t want to hear this. She’s heard Amelia bait Justin on so many occasions that it’s actually almost painful to listen to at this point. Justin can try and evade her for a while but Amelia always finds a way to get whatever it is he’s hiding out of him.

 

“Um…I dunno,” Justin responds and Amelia sighs shaking her head.

 

“I told her it was time sensitive.”

 

“Um…well…I’m sure it’s on my desk then. I’ll look when I get back.”

 

“Is it really that busy over there?” Amelia asks turning to go into her office and Justin glances at Charlotte and Kaitie before steeling himself and following his fiancé.

 

“Well you know how it is,” he replies.

 

“I was just asking because you were answering the phone,” Amelia replies and Justin watches his shoes scuff the carpet. “Felicity was at lunch?”

 

Justin hums noncommittally. “Well you know…we’ve got that issue with Kalaya’s album. I’ve got that meeting with the accounting head tomorrow.”

 

“How do you think it’ll go?” Amelia asks disinterestedly, flipping through some papers and Justin sighs, leaning against the back of one of the couches.

 

“I dunno. We’re already over budget,” Justin rubs the back of his neck. “But she’s just now really starting to find her sound and she’s coming into some good stuff it’s just-”

 

“Are you sure Felicity got that fax?” Amelia interrupts, and Justin looks at her slightly bewildered. “I should call and ask…” She reaches for the phone

 

“She’s not there,” Justin says and then cringes. She gets him every time.

 

“Oh…where is she?” Amelia asks, folding her hands on her desk and looking up at him innocently.

 

“Um…lunch?”

 

“But you said she was at lunch before…that’s why you answered the phone.”

 

“She’s running errands,” Justin says and Amelia narrows her eyes, pulling herself from her chair and rounding the desk slowly.

 

“Really?” she asks, crossing her arms over her chest. “What kind of errands?”

 

“Um…”

 

“Justin…” Amelia says, warning in her voice and he sighs, giving up.

 

“She’s in Cabo.”

 

Amelia’s eyes narrow. “So you lied to me.”

 

“Baby,” Justin says, opening his arms to her and grinning in what he hopes is a charming way.

 

“Don’t you ‘baby’ me!” Amelia snaps, holding a hand out and warding him off. “And what is Felicity doing in Cabo again?

 

“Oh come on, there’s nothing really going on. Let the kid have some fun,” Justin says and Amelia sighs, snatching the phone from its cradle.

 

“I’m calling her father.”

 

“Amelia,” Justin whines, rolling his head on his neck as he draws out the vowels in her name. “Come on don’t do that.”

 

“No, this is ridiculous. You gave her that job as a favor to Cassius because he’s a friend of the family and she just runs off whenever she wants,” she exclaims, flailing her arms and nearly sending the phone crashing off her desk.

 

“Amelia, come on stop okay. It’s really fine,” Justin says, his voice taking on a soothing quality. Amelia eyes him hard.

 

“Honestly I don’t know why you put up with it,” Amelia sighs, dropping the phone back into the cradle and crossing her arms over her chest.

 

Justin sighs, swaggering forward and slipping his arms around her waist. Amelia doesn’t reciprocate, not willing to give in just yet. “Come on babe. I like Felicity.”

 

“Oh I’m sure you do,” Amelia replies and Justin drops his arms from her waist.

 

“What’s that supposed to mean?” he asks, a slight edge in his voice and Amelia shrugs unaffectedly, sliding past him.

 

“Nothing. It doesn’t mean a thing,” Amelia sighs, walking around the room and fluffing the leaves on her Sansevieria plant.

 

Justin eyes her moodily, his brow knit. There’re a lot of things he’ll take from Amelia. He can deal with the tantrums and the perfectionist tendencies. She’s high maintenance, she’s always been that way. More so now than in the past but some of the very qualities that made him love her, her fierce drive, her perfectionism, are the same qualities he himself possesses. So he can deal with all of that. But accusations of infidelity are not something he’ll tolerate.

 

“Amelia, don’t-”

 

“Charlotte?” she hollers, poking at the soil in the pot and Justin shuts his mouth, sighing as Charlotte peeks her head into the room. From the look on her face it’s obvious this office is the last place she wants to be right now. “When was the last time we watered the plants?”

 

“Um-”

 

“They could use some water,” Amelia says, sneering at the dirt on her fingers and rubbing it away. “So what are you going to do for an assistant while Felicity is chasing cabana boys in Cabo?”

 

“I’ll manage,” Justin grumbles, eyeing Charlotte as she comes in with a bottle of water, going from plant to plant, tipping water into the pots.

 

“What? Don’t be ridiculous,” Amelia says, settling behind her desk again and Justin glares at her.

 

“What, you think I can’t manage my own office?” Justin asks, crossing his arms over his chest.

 

Amelia leans over her desk and laughs. “You staple things to your ties Justin.” She laughs again and Charlotte ducks her head in embarrassment for him.

 

“I can run my own office,” Justin says firmly, his ears pinkening, his eyes flitting to Charlotte nervously. It’s one thing to be berated by your fiancé. It’s another to have it done in front of an audience.

 

Amelia sighs. “Justin, what’s on your schedule for this afternoon?”

 

“What? I don’t fucking know,” he says, his face screwing up in annoyance, crossing his arms over his chest.

 

“Exactly! You don’t know. You need an assistant,” Amelia says, opening her day planner. She looks up adding, “And don’t curse.”

 

“Amel-” he starts, getting more and more perturbed by the second.

 

Amelia snaps. “You CAN'T go running around all week without an assistant!”

 

Charlotte stops biting her lip and she doesn’t turn around, not even daring to move. The door is all the way across the room and there’s no means of escape that wouldn’t draw their attention to her. She really doesn’t want to be here. She doesn’t want to hear Amelia cut Justin down inch by inch. She wants to go back out front and file or make business calls and not be in this room with them as they argue. Although she can’t help the little part inside her that cheers him on when he finally yells at her.

 

“I'm a grown ass man I'm pretty sure I can run my own fucking office!” Justin yells, more out of embarrassment than anger. He doesn’t want his life broadcast to everyone. Not even Amelia’s assistants.

 

Amelia merely blinks at him, standing from behind her desk, her eyes ablaze and Justin swallows hard. She walks around her desk, taking long punctuated steps towards him, her face a mask. Justin bites his lip, watching her carefully, barely even breathing.

 

“Don’t.” Amelia reaches up, straightening his tie. “Curse.” She pats his chest, giving him a tense smile that’s more of a warning than anything else before turning her back on him. “Why did you take a cab earlier, Justin?”

 

Justin lets his head fall back, sighing in exhaustion. “Because I felt like it.”

 

Amelia turns to him raising an eyebrow. “Really? Are you sure it wasn’t because you didn’t know how to call for a town car?”

 

“No,” Justin snaps petulantly.

 

“Oh really?” she asks, settling behind the desk. “What number do you call to order a car out front?”

 

Justin shifts “Um...well…” he bristles, clearing his throat. “I don't have it memorized.”

 

Amelia smirks, writing something down in her day planner. “You dial one and the front desk does it for you.” She sighs. “Just...just take Charlotte for the week.”

 

Charlotte is finally slinking her way out of the office when she hears her name and stops dead in her tracks. There’s no way she just heard that correctly. She turns slowly, finding Justin looking at her blankly and Amelia shuffling papers on her desk. She chuckles to herself, slightly confused.

 

“Um…what?” she asks, looking from Justin to Amelia and back again.

 

Amelia looks up from her paper work and smiles slowly, looking Charlotte up and down. “Yes... yes take Charlotte.”

 

Charlotte’s eyes widen, cutting to Justin again, hoping he’ll insist otherwise, hoping he’ll stand his ground just once. But all he does is smile weakly at her before bowing his head in concession. Of course, why did she ever think he would do otherwise? She glances from Justin to Amelia, watching her sign her name with a flourish and she can’t help but wonder if this is all some setup, if this is part of the elaborate mind game that Amelia is constantly playing with Justin and Charlotte is just caught in the crossfire.

 

“Well now that that is settled,” Amelia sighs, reaching for the invitation that’s laying across her desk. “get over here and look at these invitations, they are absolutely atrocious!

Chapter 6 by SomethingBlue42
The next morning Justin breezes in about twenty minutes early and it throws Charlotte completely off her self-imposed schedule. He had a breakfast date with Amelia at 7:30 to discuss tuxes for the wedding, which should have given Charlotte ample time to get to his office to develop some sort of game plan for the day. Or so she thought.

 

She had made up her mind the night before that she would not become a victim of Justin’s flirtations. Amelia obviously had concerns about his fidelity. Why else would she be constantly trying to set him up? Did he have a history of this kind of thing? What about Felicity? Patti? Had he somehow propositioned them? Had he slept with one, the other, or both? Was he interested in sleeping with Charlotte, herself? All of these questions had swirled around in her mind, making it difficult for her to sleep, so waking this morning had been a treat, exhaustion mingling with her dread.

 

She was just going to do her job. She would be polite and helpful as she very well should be but she would remain professional. She wouldn’t fall for his flirtatious charm. As soon as he came in she would brief him on his schedule for the day. She would give him his phone messages. She would place calls he needed to return. She would ask if he would like to respond to emails. She would read him the emails and he would dictate to her his responses. No jokes, no flirtations, just business. This was her well thought out, carefully constructed plan.

 

She had expected him in at about 8:30, quarter to nine, so when he came strolling in at about ten after eight, it sent her well thought out, carefully constructed plan right out the window and it nearly sent her tumbling out of her desk chair.

 

“Sorry, didn’t mean to scare you,” he had said as he shimmied out of his coat and hung it on the rack next to the door. “Amelia’s idea of breakfast is a bagel and coffee. I’m starving. Hey do you wanna go get something? Have you eaten? What’s my schedule like?”

 

She stares up at him dumbfounded, still reeling from the fact that he’s actually in front of her so it takes her a full beat before she even moves. She stutters slightly, reaching for the leather portfolio that holds his life for the next month.

 

“Ah who cares, come on let’s go,” he says, reaching for his coat again and Charlotte just stares at him open mouthed.

 

“Um…you have…phone calls you should return and-” Charlotte stutters, trying to remember the plan and his hand flies to his head as if just remembering something.

 

“Oh yeah I’ve gotta call Antunes about working on Grateman’s tour,” Justin says, shrugging his coat off again and checking his watch. “Shit I should do that now. How about you order breakfast. There’s a place just down the street that delivers. They make an egg sandwich like you wouldn’t believe.”

 

And with that he disappears into his office and Charlotte is left slightly dazed, wondering if he’s always like this. Even though Charlotte thought Amelia to be slightly insane, she had to admit that her boss’s hard-nosed nature worked well in business. She was cut throat and deathly practical and she never once deviated from the schedule. She lived and breathed by what was in her day planner and Charlotte kind of enjoyed the routine. It was the only way one could really get anything accomplished in her position. But Justin isn’t Amelia and if this is the way he works then she’ll have to get used to this, too.

 

After breakfast arrives and the delivery girl is paid and gone, Charlotte knocks softly on Justin’s door receiving a low “enter” from inside. She peeks her head in and finds Justin leaning back in his chair, the keyboard on his knees, and his socked feet propped up on the desk. His suit jacket has been discarded somewhere in the room, his shirt sleeves rolled up to his elbows, his tie slightly loose at his collar. He grins at her, chuckling a little at his own humor before his face changes to a look of longing when he sees the bag in her hand.

 

“Oh thank god, I was about to chew my arm off,” he exclaims, dropping his feet to the floor and letting the keyboard fall onto the desk with a clatter.

 

Charlotte cringes at the sound, stepping towards his desk. He moves various papers out of the way, rubbing his hands together as Charlotte sets the bag in front of him, pulling his schedule from under her arm and consulting it.

 

“Um…you have a-”

 

“Did you get yourself something?” he asks, pawing through the bag and pulling out a massive ball of butcher paper as the smell of bacon and fried egg fills the room.

 

“No,” Charlotte says, shaking her head and looking down at the portfolio in her hands, clearing her throat. “Today you have a-”

 

“Damn girl you’re really missing out,” he says, unwrapping the biggest breakfast sandwich Charlotte has ever seen, licking his lips before trying to wrap his mouth around it.

 

Charlotte fights the giggle in her throat. He looks ridiculous.

 

“Si’ ‘own,” he says, chewing slowly and motioning to the chair across from his desk.

 

Charlotte bites her lip, settling stiffly across from him. This was not how she envisioned this going. She had a plan dammit.

 

“So what am I doing today?” he asks, between bites and she eyes him for a moment before looking down at his schedule again.

 

“You have a meeting with Eytan Sugarman at ten to discuss new sous-chef possibilities for your restaurant,” Charlotte pauses looking up at Justin, waiting for him to interrupt her but he just nods his head. “You have lunch with accounting and distribution to discuss the funding for Kalaya’s record. You have a meeting with a song writer at two, it doesn’t say who-”

 

“Probably some new guy the reps hired,” Justin sighs, rolling his eyes. “I keep telling them, you need to buy the songs not hire the song writers.”

 

Charlotte nods like she knows what he’s talking about. He shakes his head and is about to take another bite of his sandwich when he looks at her.

 

“You want a bite?” he asks, offering his sandwich out to her and Charlotte looks at it for a moment before shaking her head.

 

“Uh…no I’m good…thanks.”

 

“You sure? I swear to god this is the best thing since they invented the egg.” He goes to take another bite, grinning, waiting for Charlotte’s giggle. She smiles tightly at him.

 

“You have some calls you need to return and some emails to respond to. Which would you like to do first?”

 

Justin looks at her, his sandwich halfway to his mouth and he chuckles. “Well I wanna finish my sandwich.”

 

Charlotte closes her eyes, cringing at her own idiocy. “Right. Of course. Sorry.”

 

“Returning phone calls while eating is bad etiquette,” he says, taking a huge bite of his sandwich, working his jaw slowly for a moment, and then begins to speak, his words barely discernable through the wad of food in his mouth “’hy ‘es ‘ister ‘ank’am! I ‘ould ‘ove ‘oo ‘ave ‘unds ‘or a ‘ew ‘ecord.”

 

Charlotte bites her lip, forcing down a laugh. She won’t laugh at him. She won’t be charmed by him. He will NOT get in her pants. What? Charlotte’s eyes widen and she fumbles with the portfolio as she fights the urge to clasp her hand over her mouth just in case that thought was to slip out.

 

“Um you have a meeting with Johan Lindeberg at three to discuss the promotion for the spring line of your clothing company and you’re meeting Amelia for drinks at seven.”

 

Charlotte rambles this off quickly, swallowing hard at the end and he narrows his eyes at her over the last bit of his sandwich, regarding her curiously. Well, she may look like an idiot but at least she’s not sending him the wrong signal. She tucks her hair behind her ear.

 

“You have lots of phone calls to return and emails to respond to,” Charlotte murmurs, not meeting his eyes. “Which would you prefer to do first?”

 

Justin eyes her, his expression still curious, as he shoves the last piece of his sandwich in his mouth, chewing slowly before shrugging and dusting the crumbs from his hands.

 

“We can do emails I guess.”

 

“Would you like me to read them to you and you dictate back to me?” Charlotte asks when he doesn’t move from his seat. A slow grin pulls across his face.

 

“You just wanna sit in my comfy chair don’t you?” he jokes, spinning from side to side, a playful glint in his eyes. Charlotte almost smiles but she pushes it down.

 

“Well, I figured it would be easier,” she replies casually and his smile fades into that curious look again with a hint of something Charlotte can’t quite place.

 

He sighs, nodding. “Sure.”

 

They both stand and go to move around the desk but come to an impass when they nearly run smack into each other. Charlotte ducks her head moving left as Justin moves right. She ducks her head lower and goes to move right as Justin moves left. He chuckles.

 

“If you wanted to dance all you had to do was ask,” he says, his voice quiet and deep and Charlotte looks up her green eyes crashing into his blue orbs.

 

He’s smiling at her softly clearly amused and she feels her heart drop to her toes. He’s staring down at her, his body mere inches from hers, the light musk of his cologne enveloping her. Dancing. Definitely not in the plan. She clears her throat, slipping past him quickly and falling into his chair with a plop, trying to avoid his eyes. He looks back at her, narrowing his eyes, wondering what’s gotten into her.

 

Charlotte quickly opens his email finding a long list of unopened messages. This was going to take awhile. Justin settles in the seat she just recently occupied, slouching low and smoothing his tie down his chest. He watches her for a moment before resolving to try again.

 

“Charlotte,” he says, crossing one leg over the other and regarding her amusedly. She glances at him quickly but doesn’t hold his gaze.

 

“Yes?” she asks after a moment, clicking on an email from Amelia that’s still rallying on about the invitations. She’ll save that one for later.

 

“Charlotte,” he says her name again, his eyes narrowed just slightly, studying her intently, his tongue moving slowly across the inside of his lip.  “Hmmm… Charlotte.” He says again, drawing out the vowels in her name and she’s about to respond again when he breaks into a grin. “Mind if I call you Charlie?”

 

Her hands stop what they’re doing, freezing over the keyboard. She turns her face to him slowly, finding him smiling with child-like glee. She swallows hard. She hates when people call her Charlie.

 

“Um…actually…” she cringes wondering if she should be reprimanding her boss. “I kinda do yeah.”

 

Justin’s grin widens. “Never shoulda told me that.” He chuckles.

 

Charlotte sighs. He’s like a little kid. She could almost see why Amelia was so stern with him. He’s like a force of nature, bounding from one topic to the next so quickly that you’re brain gets completely turned around. Maybe this was one of his tactics... She doesn’t respond, just stares blankly at the screen, not even looking at him.

 

“You don’t find me funny anymore do you?”

 

Charlotte’s head whips to face him and she finds him looking at her curiously from across his desk, his blue eyes surveying her as if he were trying to solve a riddle. She is slightly taken aback by the intensity of his gaze, her stomach knotting. Is he flirting with her? Is he trying to get closer to her? Amelia must have her concerns for a reason. But all these questions suddenly seem ludicrous to Charlotte and she doesn’t really know why.

 

“Huh?” is her only response, too muddled in her own thoughts to come up with something else.

 

“You used to laugh at my jokes and now you don’t,” he states simply.

 

Charlotte merely blinks at him, her mind racing. Where could he possibly be going with this? She doesn’t laugh at his jokes. A lot of people don’t laugh at a lot of different jokes It doesn’t necessarily mean anything. Just because she used to laugh before doesn’t mean she’s willing to sleep with him. What? Charlotte swallows hard, biting her lip incase that thought should slip out.  He shakes his head suddenly as if he just realized he was staring and looks down at the foot that’s resting on his thigh, fiddling with his shoelace.

 

“Forget it,” he says, shaking his head as he smoothes a hand over the hem of his pants.

 

He sighs, settling back in his chair, looking at her blankly and it’s as if someone dimmed the lights, his usual playful nature quelled into a quiet professional air. She studies him for a moment, finding his face pleasant but lacking his usual humor. He almost looks disappointed for some reason. Possibly because she’s not responding to his flirtation? Or maybe that she’s not responding to him at all…

 

“How ‘bout those emails?” he asks, a small smile playing over his lips and Charlotte shakes her head hard, turning back to the screen and beginning to read, wondering all the while if her plan was really worth all this trouble.

 

***

 

It is while sliding across the warm leather seats of the town car that Charlotte first senses something amiss. Justin slips in behind her, folding his lanky frame inside and sighing as he settles next to her, running a hand over his hair restlessly. She studies him for a moment, his face blank as he watches the curb pull away and they slide easily into the midday traffic.

 

Charlotte shakes her head, brushing away the thought away as she flips open the portfolio that has all of the specs for the meeting they were attending. Photos are paper clipped to documents holding minute aspects of each man’s life, as well as business notes, facts and figures that could aid Justin in convincing them to give him more funding.

 

“You’re meeting with Johnson Brines who’s the head of distribution for Jive, he goes by John, his wife’s name is Mandy, they have no children-”

 

“Charlotte?” he interrupts and she looks up to find him gazing at her like she’s grown another head. “Why are you telling me this?”

 

“Um…” Charlotte says looking down at her carefully prepared notes. “You don’t want to be prepped?”

 

He narrows his eyes, confused. “Prepped?”

 

“Um…yeah where I give you information on-”

 

“Oh,” Justin says, smiling in realization. “The whole fake greeting thing.” He nods. “’How are you John, how’s Mandy, she buggin’ you for kids yet?’ That sort of thing?”

 

“Yeah,” Charlotte responds weakly and Justin sighs, turning back to the window.

 

“Yeah I don’t usually do that,” he replies simply, his voice devoid of any kind of emotion, his index finger tracing designs on the fogged window. Then he adds quietly, almost as if speaking to himself, “Amelia is so much better at schmoozing than I am.”

 

There’s a pang of longing in his voice that Charlotte doesn’t quite understand and she looks back down at her copious amount of notes on each of the three men Justin will be meeting with. It seems that it was all for naught.

 

“Keep going,” Justin sighs, turning back to her and waiting expectantly.

 

“Are you sure?” Charlotte asks, suddenly sensitive to the fact that she’d slipped into her role as Amelia’s assistant and all the expectations that went with that job as opposed to the one that was at hand.

 

“Yeah,” Justin says, smiling brightly but it doesn’t quite reach his eyes. “Yeah it can only help right?”

 

“Right,” Charlotte replies, returning his smile and continuing to rattle off facts as Justin repeats them in an attempt to remember.

 

The town car pulls up to the Chambers hotel, the large woven wood doors standing out starkly from the modern glass windows. Charlotte braces her hands on the seat, getting ready to scoot herself out after Justin but he doesn’t move, just looks out at the doors to the hotel, his face a mask.

 

“Hey,” Charlotte says quietly and he jumps, looking over at her and she sees just a hint of insecurity in his eyes before he smiles at her.

 

And now she understands. He’s nervous.

 

It’s slightly unsettling to her, Charlotte having never seen him anything less then confident but it was also rather endearing. She smiles warmly at him and his smile brightens, his shoulders slumping just a little.

 

“I hate these things,” he concedes quietly, looking out the window again, staring at the ominous wooden doors.

 

“You’re gonna do great,” Charlotte says, nodding encouragingly and he glances back at her quickly before returning his gaze to the doors.

 

“Kalaya’s album depends on me getting money from these guys,” Justin responds with a sigh. “Her career…her future…”

 

His stomach knots suddenly and he’s reminded once again that he’s not a businessman. So many people in his place would be anticipating this, ready for a fight. Justin wasn’t like that. He just wanted his artists to make their music, grow in their sound, find themselves as musicians. He doesn’t give a damn how much it costs. He’s an artist. He’s a musician and these guys are businessmen, more concerned with money than craft. He fears it will be like trying to talk to a wall.

 

“You know what needs to be done,” Charlotte says and he turns to her, finding her face set and determined. She nods confidently at him. “You know what you want and what Kalaya wants. The only thing you have to do is convince them of that.”

 

Justin blinks at her slowly. He hadn’t been expecting that. So often he’d heard “Justin you’re being ridiculous just go in there and get it done,” Amelia’s annoyance by his sudden lack of confidence sharp and unsympathetic. Charlotte nodded at him again, smiling uncertainly and he realized he’d been staring at her. He shook his head, smiling back at her, a silent thank you for her encouragement.

 

“Alright lets do this,” he says nodding, pushing the door to the car open and stepping out into the winter chill.

 

They bustle inside, making their way through the ultra modern lobby, towards the restaurant entrance. The host takes their heavy coats and Charlotte tells him that they’re meeting Johnson Brines for lunch. The host replies that their party is already seated as he hangs their coats on the racks. Charlotte looks into the dining room and spots the sleek dark head of Johnson Brine, his chiseled face the exact same as the one in the picture inside her portfolio. She takes a step toward the dining room and Justin reaches for her arm, his fingertips warm against the delicate skin of her inner elbow.

 

She turns back to him, bewildered by the sudden contact. Why is he touching her? Is this all some ploy to get in her good graces? Is he trying to get closer to her? But instead of finding him smiling at her, which she was sure he would be given her preoccupation with the fact that he was trying to sleep with her, she finds his face slightly uncertain.


”How’s my tie?” he asks, jutting out his chin and she chuckles slightly at herself.

 

“It’s a little crooked,” she says and he sighs, reaching up to straighten it but only succeeds in skewing it more. “Hang on,” Charlotte says, setting her portfolio on the host stand and reaching up.

 

He stands stock still, allowing her to adjust his tie at his throat and she smiles at him, smoothing it against his chest slightly before snatching her hands back. What is she doing? Her hands tremble slightly as she reaches for her portfolio again, awkwardness settling over her. She chances a look up at him and he smiles at her, not in a lustful way but in gratitude and Charlotte begins to wonder if she was overreacting, if Amelia’s concerns really had any validity at all.

 

Justin clears his throat and pushes back his shoulders, a quiet confidence washing over him and the effect is dazzling as he strides past Charlotte and into the low-lit dining room. Heads turn and quiet whispers follow him as he glides effortlessly around the small clothed tables, and it’s as if all the energy in the room is contained in him. Charlotte has to hurry to catch up.

 

“John!” Justin exclaims jovially, reaching for his hand and the other occupants of the table stand to greet him. “How’re you doin’? How’s Mandy?”

 

“I’m doing well, Justin,” John replies, smiling widely and nodding as he shakes his hand. “Mandy’s fine, just got involved with some charity so she’s never around. Gotta love that.” He chuckles at his own joke and Justin smiles courteously. “This is Jedson Sawyer, from accounting,” John says, leaning back and gesturing to a tall, lean man in his mid forties, dark hair graying at his temples.

 

Justin reaches for his hand. “Jed,” he says nodding. “How’s your daughter?” he screws up his face in a caricature of contemplation that has Charlotte impressed. “She’s at… Columbia yes?”

 

Jed smiles widely, shaking Justin’s hand heartily. “Yes indeed. Made the dean’s list this year.”

 

Justin’s face registers pure joy and Charlotte can hardly believe he thinks he’s bad at this. “Well how do ya like that!” Justin exclaims grinning, and his eyes fall on the last man at the table who looks to be about Charlotte’s age, his sand colored hair perfectly coiffed, his expression smug.

 

“Justin this is Chris Wickham,” John says, slapping the young man on the back and Chris reaches for Justin’s hand.

 

“Pleasure to meet you sir,” Chris says, giving Justin a dazzling smile and Justin nods, shaking his hand politely.

 

“Chris is learning the ropes,” John says and his smile widens as his eyes fall on Charlotte. “And who is this lovely young thing?”

 

Charlotte fights her blush, trying to smile as all eyes turn to her and Justin grins, motioning her forward. She steps up next to him, cringing when she feels his hand rest on the small of her back for just a moment before he pulls away at the feel of her discomfort.

 

“This is my assistant Charlotte,” Justin says with a small smile. “She’s here so I don’t embarrass myself horrendously.”

 

The men chuckle. Chris tilts his head to the side.

 

“Didn’t you work for Anderson Cripps at Gauge-Whitney?”

 

The other three men look at Charlotte, eyebrows raised and she can’t tell if they’re shocked or impressed. She shifts her feet awkwardly.

 

“Um…yes,” she says, nodding and smiling.

 

“I thought you worked for Amelia Domineck now,” Chris asks as they all move to take their seats.

 

All except Justin who pulls out a chair and looks at Charlotte expectantly. She looks at him perplexed for a moment before realizing he wants her to sit. She blushes, moving to settle into the seat and Justin slides it under her, a perfect gentleman to the last. He settles down beside her and Charlotte finds the men at the table regarding her curiously.

 

“She does,” Justin responds for her, grabbing his napkin and laying it across his lap. “I’m borrowing her for the week while my assistant is on vacation.”

 

The force in his voice is unfamiliar to Charlotte. It’s not unfriendly but it holds a finality that shows the subject is closed. The other men seem to sense this as well settling in their seats.

 

“Ah yes how is Amelia?” John asks and Justin smiles.

 

“She’s doing well, got her hands full with the wedding,” he responds with a sigh.

 

The other men chuckle in knowing acknowledgement.

 

“Heard she’s quite the bridezilla,” John teases and it takes everything Charlotte has to fight the laugh in her throat.

 

Justin brushes it away. “She just wants everything to be perfect,” he replies airily and Charlotte thinks that this is the understatement of the century

 

After everything is ordered and the food comes, ensuring that there will be no more interruptions, talk turns to business.

 

“John I’ve gotta get more funding for Kalaya’s album,” Justin says, his voice slightly earnest.

 

His forwardness surprises Charlotte. In every other business lunch she’d ever been to, with Amelia or otherwise, the actual business was slipped in between talk of artichoke boulangere and the Jets’ winning streak. The other men seem to be somewhat startled as well, their forks stopping halfway to their mouths, knives pausing partway through their roasted chicken. Charlotte marvels at how John’s happy-go-lucky attitude turns quickly to cool businesslike disapproval.

 

“It can’t be done Justin,” John says shaking his head, forking a roasted artichoke into his mouth and chewing slowly.

 

“She just needs more time,” Justin says as if this should be enough of a reason for anyone. When the other men blink back at him he adds, “She’s just now coming into a sound she’s comfortable with.”

 

“The truth is the money just isn’t there,” Jed says with a sigh. “Grateman’s tour is coming up and, as you well know, funding that is going to take up a lot of your budget.”

 

“Yes but it will also bring in double the budget,” Justin says and then grins. “I very well know that too.”

 

John narrows his eyes at Justin’s cheek. “It still doesn’t change the fact that the money isn’t there.”

 

“Look, I’m meeting with Apple next week to talk about sponsoring Grateman’s tour. I’m almost positive they’re gonna swing the whole thing,” Justin says and the three other men look at him dumbfounded.

 

“How are you going to manage that?” Chris asks, slightly astonished. “Apple hasn’t sponsored a tour in…ever?” Chris turns to John. “Have they ever?”

 

“Not that I’ve heard of,” John says eyeing Justin skeptically.

 

Justin grins. “Their new head of Media and Sponsorship likes me.”

 

A slow smile pulls across Chris’s face. “Isn’t that Collin Ankerman?”

 

Justin nods, cutting a piece of his pork chop and forking it into his mouth.

 

“And isn’t his daughter about twenty-four.”

 

Justin nods chewing slowly.

 

“Which would make her about thirteen or fourteen when Nsync came out.”

 

Justin grins widely.

 

“He and I have already talked about me performing at her next birthday,” Justin chuckles to himself and Charlotte gazes at him impressed.

 

“That doesn’t change the fact that Kalaya’s album is already about thirty thousand dollars in the hole,” John snaps, taking a sip of his iced tea and Justin looks up at him bewildered. He’d thought he’d won.

 

“She just needs more time,” Justin says flippantly. “She’s coming into a great sound.”

 

“I’m sure what she has already recorded will be wonderful,” John says placatingly as if talking to a child.

 

“It’s not wonderful,” Justin says and that force is back in his voice, causing the rest of the table to tense. “John you know money. It’s what you’re good at,” he says as if this is the most obvious thing in the world and John sighs, humoring him. “I know music. Its what I’m best at. And I can’t say I don’t understand where you’re coming from…” Justin trails and his nonchalance morphs effortlessly into a determination that is almost over powering and Charlotte is utterly enthralled. “But I also know that if you don’t have good music no one is gonna buy the damn album. You want sales? You want revenue? You have to put out a superior product and what she’s got in the can right now is mediocre at best. She’s coming into something great, John. She just needs more time.”

 

“How much are we talking?” John asks cautiously and Justin shrugs.

 

“Fifty grand.”

 

“No,” John says, laughing. “No that can’t be done.”

 

“Oh come on!” Justin laughs incredulously. “You spent about that much on your wardrobe.”

 

John bristles, stuttering slightly.

 

“Fifty grand, John. That’s all she needs to make something spectacular.” He pauses, setting his eyes on the older man and then adding. “And you’re going to give it to her.”

 

John’s eyes widen as do the rest of the men at the table. Charlotte is staring at him open mouthed, but snaps it shut as the waitress comes by to refill drinks. The silence at the table is electric and the waitress scurries away quickly from the tension. Justin’s eyes don’t leave the older man’s and his face shows that he knows he’s already won even though Charlotte isn’t sure. It’s hard to believe that this is the same man that sat with her in the car just an hour ago, the same man who lets Amelia trample him to the ground day after day.

 

John sighs, eyeing him slowly, sizing him up and Justin doesn’t flinch, his face still holding that confidence, that air that he’s already won. This battle is over in his mind.

 

“Alright,” John says finally and Charlotte releases the breath she hadn’t even realized she’d been holding.

 

Justin’s smile lights up the room. “You won’t regret it, John,” he says with a sigh.

 

“I better not,” he grumbles. “And this is the last time!” he adds, trying to regain some sense of control over the situation.

 

“Of course,” Justin replies airily, tucking back into his food, a small satisfied smile playing across his lips.

 

And in that moment Charlotte knows he’d not only earned their respect, but hers as well.

 

After the check is paid, the party meanders their way out into the lobby, chattering idly about golf and the weather as they shrug on their coats. Charlotte follows, talking quietly on her cell phone to their driver, asking him to meet them out front.

 

“Well Justin, it was a pleasure,” Jed says, patting Justin on the back and Justin smiles.

 

“That it was,” he nods smiling.

 

“I was wondering,” Jed says, his eyes turning uncertain and Justin regards him curiously. “My daughter is a huge fan…”

 

Justin grins. “You want me to sign something?”

 

Jed breathes a sigh of relief. “If you don’t mind…”

 

“Not at all,” Justin says and turns to Charlotte. “Charlie do you have a pen and paper I could borrow?”

 

Charlotte narrows her eyes at him and he grins at her, winking quickly and she cringes.

 

“Actually,” Jed says and Justin turns to find him pulling a CD and sharpie out if his briefcase, fumbling embarrassed. “If you could just…”

 

“Even better,” Justin grins, taking the CD and marker from him.

 

He flips open the CD case, pulling out the album booklet and he remembers when he would sit at a table in a record store and sign these for hours. He remembers how he would come back to his hotel room, exhausted, his hand cramping, his face sore from smiling. He never thought he’d miss that. But he does. He really does.

 

“What’s her name?” he asks, shaking off the memories, poising the sharpie over the white space just above his name and the name of the album.

 

His last album. He never thought it would be his last. But it was a good way to go he supposed. Three number one singles. Nine million albums sold world wide. Two Grammys. The second highest grossing tour of 2007. An emmy award winning HBO special. He certainly went out on top. But he just wished he would have known it was the last.

 

“Lauren,” Jed says smiling and Justin grins, writing a short message and then signing with a flourish.

 

“Here ya go man,” Justin says slipping the album cover carefully back into the case and handing it to him. “Tell her to stay in school.”

 

“Oh I will,” Jed grins as they make their way out into the winter chill. “She wants to know when you’re gonna record another album.”

 

Justin chuckles. “Me too,” he adds joking and the other man laughs.

 

“You take care,” Jed says, following John and Chris into a sleek black Lincoln and Justin waves as they pull from the curb, disappearing amid the sea of identical cars.

 

And now it’s just Justin and Charlotte, standing in front of the building and waiting. Charlotte checks her watch. The driver said he’d be there in five minutes. She cranes her neck, shivering as she looks down the street but it’s impossible to tell, the street full of black town cars identical to the one that’s coming for them. Justin bounces on the balls of his feet and sighs. Charlotte tenses.

 

“I’m sorry, I’ll call the car again,” she says, reaching into her pocket for her phone.

 

“Nah its fine,” Justin says casually, continuing his light bouncing. Charlotte watches him skeptically. “No sweat…” he adds and then grins, “literally. It’s cold as fuck out here.”

 

“I’ll call.” Charlotte says flipping open her phone and Justin sighs.

 

“Seriously its fine,” then he grins knowingly at her. “I’m not gonna rip your head off” They share a smile.

 

“Okay,” Charlotte concedes finally, placing her phone back in her pocket

 

“Okay then,” Justin replies nodding, still bouncing idly.

 

They’re quiet for a moment, each of them looking down the road and waiting. Charlotte sneaks glances at him out of the corner of her eye. She still can’t get over the fact that he did it and so effortlessly it seemed. He was stern and refused to take no for an answer. He didn’t just roll over and take it.

 

“You did really well in there,” Charlotte finds herself saying.

 

Justin’s bouncing stops and he turns his head to her slowly. She’s not looking at him, her eyes trained down the road and he’s somewhat shocked by her unprompted praise. Usually he had to fish for compliments and even when he did all he usually got was a “that’s nice, dear” and then was forced to move on to talk of cake flavors and table cards.

 

Just then the car pulls up and he shakes his head to clear it, grinning slightly.

 

“Well thank you Charlie,” He says jovially and he watches her cringe and roll her eyes. “See…never should have told me that.”

 

And with that he opens the car door for her, grinning cheekily at the withered look he receives from her before she slips inside and he follows, escaping the bitter cold and heading back to the office.

 

Chapter 7 by SomethingBlue42

“We are never going to that bar again.”

 

Justin barely has a chance to slip through the front door before Amelia slams it shut, huffing in annoyance as she stomps towards the grand staircase.

 

“I dunno,” Justin grins, swaggering after her, swinging himself around the banister as he skips up the steps behind her. “I kinda liked it.”

 

Amelia turns to look at him, regarding him suspiciously before shaking her head and continuing her way up the stairs. Justin follows, undeterred, humming a jovial tune to himself. He’s had a good day. He secured the funding needed for one of his artists to continue recording, made progress with Apple about sponsoring another artist’s tour and has spent the last hour and a half having drinks with the woman he loves in a hip little bar where he may have discovered his next artist. And they served great drinks.There’s no possible way this day could get any better.

 

But as Amelia sheds her suit jacket, revealing the pink silk chiffon blouse underneath, the back dipping down below her shoulder blades, Justin thinks there’s maybe one thing that could make this day better. He licks his lips, his eyes skimming hazily over the smooth expanse of her back.

 

“Ugh it was the most awful day.”

 

He’s jarred slightly by the annoyance in her voice, watching as she trudges forward, stopping short when the spikes of her heels sink into the plush carpet of their bedroom. She growls in frustration, staring up at the ceiling and rattling on about what an idiot her temp assistant is. He slips in behind her, his arms snaking around her waist as she tries to kick off her shoes.

 

“Leave them on,” he whispers against her ear and she snorts, trying still to hook the heel of her Manolo pumps in the carpet to pry them off. “Amelia,” he says, his voice low and she stops, sighing. “Leave them on.”

 

“Justin I have been wearing these shoes all day. I knew I shouldn’t have bought them,” Amelia sighs, struggling against him slightly as she tries to pry her foot from the pumps.

 

“Mmm but they look so good on you,” he murmurs, his lips attaching to her neck just below her ear, his hands skimming down her hips to pull her back against him.

 

Amelia turns her head looking at him suspiciously. “Are you… you’re drunk!

 

Justin grins at her, his nose nuzzling her cheek, chuckling softly. “Yeah maybe a little.”

 

Amelia scoffs, swatting his hands away as she finally kicks off her shoes and stalks into the bathroom. Justin sighs, trudging over to the bed and falling onto it, his body sinking into the plush down comforter. He misses the days when she was ready for anything, when leaving her heels on was an everyday occurrence. Back when they were first dating, the mere mention of sex had them clawing at each other, barely able to get in the door, doing it right there in the foyer. Now he was lucky if they even had sex at all. But this happens in relationships, there are dry spells and the passion dies down but he loves Amelia. Their relationship isn’t strictly based on sex, although getting it at least once a month would be nice. He shakes his head. She’s busy and so is he and their schedules don’t always mesh but he loves her. He does.

 

“I knew I shouldn’t have let you drink Jack Daniels,” Amelia sighs, coming out of the bathroom, sitting down at her vanity with a huff.

 

Justin remembers when a night of Jack Daniels meant bending her over the kitchen counter, pushing her up against the wall in the hallway, lifting her up onto the bathroom sink. Back when she actually drank whiskey with him. Now it was all Manhattans and Cosmos, just one, then maybe a glass of wine if they met one of her celebutaunt friends and were forced to stay longer. Justin watches her as she unpins her hair, the soft golden curls tumbling down over her bare shoulders, her ivory skin glowing against the soft caramel of her silk slip. He licks his lips, toeing off his shoes and then sliding off the bed.

 

He pads over behind her, his large hands settling on her shoulders as she opens one of the many pots of crème on her vanity. She looks at him through the mirror perplexed and his fingers knead the muscles slowly. He grins, watching her eyes slide shut and a soft growl pulls from the back of her throat, her head lolling to the side as his thumb rubs slow circles over a knot at the base of her neck. He takes the opportunity to lean down and brush the hair from her neck, kissing her skin softly, his lips smudging up the side of her neck.

 

“What’s gotten into you,” she asks, her voice far away and he smiles against her skin, tongue reaching out to flick against her pulse point.

 

“I had a great day,” he grins and he feels her body stiffen.

 

“Well I’m glad you did,” she pouts and he sighs, standing straight again and cursing himself for bringing it up.

 

But his fingers continue to work on her shoulders, pressing a little harder and she hisses, her body relaxing again. “Tough day darlin’?” he asks softly, shivering at the sound that pulls from her throat when his thumbs press against her shoulder blades.

 

“God yes,” she sighs and Justin can feel himself heating up and he prays to god she’ll say yes tonight. He can’t even remember the last time… “I need Charlotte.”

 

Justin’s attention is immediately pulled back to his fiancé who’s pouting slightly. Charlotte. He can’t help but smile, remembering the bewildered look on her face when he’d come in early that morning. He likes Charlotte. He likes the sound she makes when she tries to suppress a laugh and the look on her face when she says something she probably shouldn’t have. She’s helpful and polite, albeit a little high strung.

 

“How’d she do today?” Amelia asks, shrugging her shoulders and Justin realizes his hands had stopped. He begins to knead her flesh again.

 

“It was fine,” he says shrugging. Then his brow creases. “She seemed a little jumpy though.”

 

Amelia eyes him through the mirror and lets out a small “hmm” in thought. Justin shakes his head, trying to turn his thoughts back to the task at hand. He doesn’t want to think about assistants, or work or anything else. He wants her…in bed…now.

 

“Come on baby,” he whispers softly, his fingers brushing the thin strap of her slip from her shoulder, replacing it with a warm kiss. “Let’s not talk about that stuff now.”

 

Amelia eyes him through the mirror, rubbing lotion onto her hands as his lips smudge over the roundest part of her shoulder, his hands skimming down her biceps. He kisses his way back to her neck, fingers wrapping in her hair and lifting it up off her neck. He chances a look at her in the mirror and finds her face blank, continuing her nightly ritual of moisturizer and eye cream. Justin is undeterred, his mouth opening against the crook of her shoulder, massaging her scalp slowly. He barely catches the flutter of her eyelids and she sighs.

 

“Justin,” she whines and wiggles slightly, causing his lips to detach from her neck and his fingers to unwrap from her hair, watching it tumble down over her shoulders again.

 

He sighs, looking down at her as she reaches for her hairbrush and runs it through her hair, the strands shining like spun gold in the low lighting. He remembers when all he would have to do is touch her, drag his finger along her collarbone and she would pounce him, crawl into his lap, drag him closer by his tie, something.

 

He sighs again, loosening his tie and discarding his jacket, balling it up and tossing it into the closet. He might as well undress himself. Memories of tearing each other’s clothes off fill his mind and he has to swallow hard, fighting the familiar pull in his groin His fingers work loose the buttons of his vest, shrugging it off and balling it up, sending it flying into the closet next to his jacket His eyes flit to her, relishing in the fact that she hates when he doesn’t put his clothes in the hamper. But she’s not even watching him, her eyes focused on her face in the mirror, running her ring finger along her eyebrows before reaching for her tweezers. He sighs.

 

“I’m going to take a shower,” he says as he undoes his tie, thinking briefly about taking care of this himself then immediately pushing the idea aside. He’s nearly thirty, not thirteen.

 

“I thought you wanted to have sex,” Amelia says offhandedly, leaning close to the mirror and grabbing a stray hair with her tweezers and pulling.

 

Justin stops, his fingers halfway through the buttons on his shirt, staring back at her bewildered. She puts her tweezers away and reaches for her lip balm, her eyes meeting his in the mirror.

 

“Um…what?” he asks, wondering if his sex starved brain was fantasizing without him.

 

“Well that is what you were all over me for right?” Amelia asks, dipping her middle finger in the small tin and rubbing the balm over her lips slowly.

 

Justin watches her, his mouth slightly open and he snaps it shut when she smacks her lips, pursing them in the mirror and he shivers hard. She stands, smiling coyly at him and he grins at her as she brushes past him, reaching for the heavy comforter and pulling it back. Playing hard to get. That is definitely his girl. She looks over her shoulder at him expectantly.

 

“Well?” she asks, looking him up and down and he scrambles to rid himself of the rest of his clothes, his fingers fumbling over the last few buttons on his shirt.

 

Amelia turns her back to the bed, hopping up so she’s sitting on the edge watching as he tosses his shirt aside and then reaches for the hem of his undershirt. She smiles, crooking her finger at him and he grins widely, stepping up to her as he tosses his undershirt behind him.

 

He hums softly when she flattens her palms against his chest, her long nails dragging down, fingers skittering over the bumps and grooves of his abdomen. He dips his head, his lips finding hers and she tastes like mint and her lips are slick and waxy from her lip balm. He shivers as her fingers find his belt buckle, fumbling to undo it and after a few seconds she pulls back.

 

“What kind of belt is this?” she asks and he looks down his body, watching Amelia pry at the buckle.

 

He chuckles, flicking the catch on the side and the buckle opens revealing the notches beneath, the small metal piece slipped through the first hole. Amelia scoffs, tugging his belt undone and he grins at her, kissing her again, his lips smudging across her cheek and down her neck.

 

“Where did you get this thing anyway?” she asks tilting her head to the side to examine the buckle as Justin nibbles at the side of her neck.

 

“I dunno,” he replies absently, his hands smoothing down her biceps and then up again, reaching for the straps of her slip.

 

“Is it new?” she asks, still fiddling with it and Justin sighs.

 

“Amelia,” he whines and her eyes fall on his face, finding him looking at her slightly annoyed.

 

She chuckles to herself, smiling sheepishly and biting her bottom lip. He grins. There’s his girl. She brings her arms up, wrapping them around his neck and he sighs into her mouth as she parts her legs, allowing him to stand between them, his stomach burning in anticipation. Her hands skim down his sides, thumbs reaching to smudge under his belly button as she flicks his pants open. He sighs as she pushes them down and he kicks them impatiently from his legs, hissing as she runs a finger down the crotch of his boxers.

 

She pushes at his shoulders, sliding off the bed and he licks his lips, watching as the hem of her slip rises and the creamy expanse of her thighs is exposed briefly before the fabric falls back into place. She raises her arms over her head and he grins, reaching for the hem and tugging her slip up and off. His breathing becomes shallow when her breasts are revealed to him and she’s naked aside from her simple beige panties.

 

He kisses her hard, stealing her breath as he lifts her onto the bed, his fingers curling against her ribs, savoring the feel of her skin against his. He’s anxious, crawling over her quickly and she wiggles beneath him, trying to get comfortable. He stills over her, forcing himself to wait until she’s settled before kissing her again and he hisses as her nails drag down his chest, reaching for the waistband of his boxers. His stomach trembles as she slips her thumbs in and pushes them down, aching for her to touch him. Her hand brushes his lower stomach, causing him to shiver and hold his breath but he lets it out in a rush when she rests her hands against his waist, waiting while he kicks his underwear from his legs. His hands curl around her shoulders as he rests over her on his elbows, settling between her legs, his heart thundering in his chest. She’s still wriggling beneath him and as she brings her knee up she catches him under the ribs, his breath pulling from his lungs with a quiet “oomph.” She winces, placing a hand on his shoulder and he shakes his head, pressing his lips to hers quickly.

 

Amelia sighs into his mouth as he lets one large hand drag down her chest, stopping to squeeze her breast gently, the globe firm but still slightly malleable. He still can’t get used to them this way. They look the same really, just bigger. In fact if he hadn’t seen them before she had the surgery he’d never be able to tell. Well, maybe he’d be able to tell because they aren’t quite as yielding as-

 

“Justin,” Amelia says softly and he realizes he’s been squeezing her breast methodically as his mind wandered. She narrows her eyes at him and he ducks his head, flicking his tongue out against her nipple and her back arches, her fingernails scratching at his scalp.

 

He breathes a sigh of relief, his hand reaching between her legs, fingers brushing her panties teasingly. He nibbles at the valley between her breasts as his fingers press against her, wanting to feel her through the fabric and is slightly disappointed when he doesn’t. He remembers the days when she used to be ready for him in an instant… but they’re older now, they’ve been together for a while. He smirks against her skin. It’s not like he doesn’t know how to rev her up.

 

His lips drag down her stomach as his thumbs hook in her panties, tugging them down her legs and then flinging them off into the room somewhere. His tongue is dipping into her belly button when her nails dig into his shoulder.

 

“Come on, lets do this,” she says and he looks up at her perplexed.

 

“I thought you liked when I-”

 

“I do,” she says her hand wrapping around the back of his neck. “Just not tonight.”

 

He winces. “Just not tonight” is something he’s been hearing a lot of lately. He shakes the thought away.

 

“But you’re not-”

 

“I am,” she says, her voice ringing in annoyance and she sighs, forcing a smile at him. “Besides the condoms are lubricated.”

 

Justin sighs, nodding. The condoms. Of course.

 

He slides up her body, his dick pressing into her belly and he pants at the feeling of her skin against his, wiggling his hips slightly. He gasps when she shifts higher on the bed and he slides down between her legs, pressing against her intimately. He moans softly, his face burying in her neck. It’s been so long since he felt her like this, skin on skin, and his heart feels as if it could beat out of his chest as his hands begin to slip under her shoulders, readying himself to press in.

 

“Justin,” she says softly, patting his shoulder and he pulls his face from her neck to see her holding the condom she’d plucked from the drawer in the bedside table.

 

He sighs in frustration and it takes all his willpower to sit back on his knees and take the condom from her, ripping it open and tossing the wrapper aside. They’d been using condoms again ever since one of her friends had gotten pregnant even though she was on the pill. Something about having the flu and throwing up so the pill didn’t work. Although Justin wondered what she was doing having sex when she had the flu anyway

 

“Are these still good?” Amelia asks, shifting up again and reaching into the drawer for the box of condoms, examining it for the expiration date.

 

“They’re fine,” Justin replies quickly, pinching the tip and then rolling the sheath down his shaft before falling back over her.

 

She huffs, the breath leaving her lungs. “Easy,” she scolds gently, wiggling beneath him again but she stills as his lips capture hers, her arms snaking slowly around his neck.

 

He smiles against her lips as he reaches between them to rub himself against her, shivering as a dull wave of pleasure ripples through him. She hums, allowing her legs to splay on either side of his hips, her arms draping over his shoulders. He presses his forehead to hers as he eases in, shushing her softly when she winces at the intrusion. He cups her face gently, pressing his cheek to hers as he breathes and presses forward, shivering as her arms come around to hold him at his back, her knees hugging his hips.

 

He presses all the way in and she struggles underneath him, a discomfited sound pulling from her throat and he eases back slightly, kissing along her shoulder softly in apology. She wiggles again and the friction steals his breath, causing him to moan softly into her hair. He shifts slightly as her hands curl between then, clasping his shoulders and pushing gently, urging him up onto his hands and he complies, lifting his body weight from her. She wiggles again, settling back against the sheets and smiles at him as she nods, giving him permission to move.

 

He draws back slowly, watching her face for any sign of discomfort before easing back in and when her cheek twitches slightly he retreats, setting a slow, languid rhythm that has his body screaming for more. He misses the days when she’d let him bend her over, one of the only positions that didn’t cause her some sort of discomfort, and she would moan with every thrust, pushing her body back into his. He gasps slightly as the pleasure rolls through him and he forgets and pushes all the way in, causing her to gasp and press against his shoulders in warning.

 

Justin presses his mouth to hers and he shivers when she moans against him, easing in and out slowly. She wrenches her mouth from his, letting her head fall to the side panting and when she arches her back they both moan, her ankles hooking around his calves and he knows they’ve found their rhythm.

 

Amelia’s palms smooth over his shoulders before hooking her arms under his and pulling him closer, humming softly as her lips press against his collarbone. He pants, allowing his body to settle over her more, easing some of his weight off his arms, which are beginning to ache from the strain. He struggles against her, concentrating on the way she feels, the dull warmth of her body seeping in through the latex and he moans, his hips speeding up.

 

His lips find hers again, his back aching slightly as his hips work against hers, the pleasure beginning to saturate his brain and his hips start to twitch of their own accord. Her breathing hitches, a tiny whimper escaping past her lips and her fingertips press into his back in warning. He pulls back swiftly, growling when he slips out and Amelia sighs, wiggling under him again as he reaches between them to slide back in.

 

He groans deep from his chest, his body straining over hers, the pleasure coursing through him, a little part of his mind still conscious of her, careful not to push too hard or reach too deep. Amelia’s breathing has gone shallow, her knees hugging his hips tightly, her palms pressing hard against his back. He knows she’s close as he pulls back and finds her eyes closed, her mouth open just slightly and he presses a soft kiss to her lips, one hand reaching down between them to nestle his fingers in her folds.

 

She gasps, nails digging into his back as she clenches around him, the tiniest of sounds pulling from her throat and she sighs, her body relaxing against the pillows, legs splaying on either side of him. He pants, remembering back to when she would scream his name so fucking loud he was sure someone was going to call the cops.

 

He gasps then, the pleasure bubbling over and he whispers her name into her hair, his body taking over and his hips twitch hard against hers. He chokes on his own breath as wave after wave of pleasure rinses over him, rumbling through his groin in short bursts.

 

As he comes down he feels Amelia’s hands on his shoulders, pushing gently and that’s when he realizes that his hips are flush against hers, her face screwed up in discomfort. He kisses her quickly, pulling back just slightly but staying inside, wanting to be close to her still.

 

“Its okay,” she whispers, patting his shoulders softly. “You can pull out.”

 

He sighs, reaching between them to hold the condom at the base as he pulls out, rolling off her to sit on the side of the bed as he pulls it off, and standing to go into the bathroom to throw it away. He drops it in the wastebasket, sighing at his reflection in the large mirror. His skin is clean, free of bite marks or hickeys, and he shakes his head at himself when he feels a pang of disappointment. He washes his hands quickly, drying them with one of Amelia’s decorative towels on accident and cringes, trying to set it back on the rack exactly the way it was. He takes one last look in the mirror, brushing his fingers against the hair at his temples where it’s just starting to curl. He sighs.

 

As he pads back into the bedroom Amelia is sitting up in bed reading, her slip already back on and Justin purses his lips in disappointment, walking around to his side of the bed and crawling in, the sheets cool against his still heated flesh.

 

“You’re not going to wear your pajamas?” Amelia asks, not even glancing up from her book as he scoots across the mammoth expanse of their bed to lie close to her.

 

“Nah,” he shrugs, his arms snaking across her stomach, resting his cheek against her bicep.

 

She sighs shaking her head as she struggles to wrap her arm around his shoulders and he grins scooting closer, pressing his cheek to her breast and sighing. Her hand comes up to run through his hair and his eyes close when her nails scrape his scalp gently.

 

“You need to cut your hair,” she sighs, tugging on the short strands and he whines, pushing his head against her chest to get her to stop.

 

“I will,” he yawns, pulling his body closer to hers.

 

“You’ll have Charlotte make you an appointment?” Amelia asks, her fingers massaging against his scalp and he hums. “Hmm?”

 

“Yes,” he yawns lazily, his body relaxing against hers, his brain fuzzy with exhaustion, the three Jack and Cokes from earlier settling in his limbs, making them heavy

 

“Good,” Amelia says pleasantly, her hand moving to rest on his shoulder.

 

He sighs, rubbing his cheek against her chest, not quite as soft as it used to be but he’s not complaining. He remembers when they would fall asleep against each other, a tangle of limbs in sweat soaked sheets. But that was then he supposed. They’re older now. They’ve been together a long time. And sex isn’t everything. He loves her. He really does.

Chapter 8 by SomethingBlue42
Author's Notes:
Sorry this one took so long guys. Its kinda longish and I'm doing the PoP challenge over in JTPC and RL is going kinda nutso right now. But excuses excuses...lol Hope you all enjoy!

The first thing Charlotte hears when she walks through the door of Amelia and Justin’s penthouse in the morning is deep throaty laughter. It wafts through the foyer and bounces off the walls and marble floors, brightening the already sunny foyer. She smiles as she hangs her coat on the rack next to the door, her ballet flats making a soft padding sound on the marble floor, wondering if she should wait or call out and announce her presence. A high girlish laugh joins the other and then the deep voice stops, a murmur of a male voice, questioning. Then the words boom into clarity.

 

“Charlie is that you?” Justin’s voice calls. She opens her mouth to respond but he continues. “If not and you’re a burglar, I’m about six foot five and can bench two-hundred fifty pounds and will kick your ass so turn and run now.”

 

“Justin!” Amelia exclaims with a giggle. “Don’t curse.”

 

Charlotte giggles, going around the right side of the staircase, following the long hallway towards the source of the voices. She is nearly blinded as she steps into the gleaming white kitchen, the morning sun making the already bright and airy room seem almost as if it were a light source in itself. Justin sits in one of the small wrought iron barstools, his lanky frame folded awkwardly into the delicate seat. His light gray suit jacket hangs on the back of the chair, his shirt sleeves rolled to his elbows as he shovels cereal into his mouth. Amelia stands out starkly in charcoal grey, her alabaster skin glowing and radiant, hair perfectly coiffed in an elegant French twist, her hand resting lightly on her fiancé’s shoulder.

 

“Good morning Charlotte,” Amelia says, smiling softly and Charlotte smiles back, moving to stand across the island from them.

 

“Morning Charlie!” Justin exclaims jovially and Charlotte smiles tensely, shifting on her feet.

 

They seem to be in ridiculously good moods this morning, Charlotte wonders what could have brought this on, watching Justin lean into Amelia, whispering something under his breath that Charlotte can’t quite hear. Amelia gasps, slapping his shoulder lightly and giggling, a sound Charlotte never thought could come from her.

 

“Stop that you,” she scolds lightly, grabbing for her bag that’s sitting on the kitchen island. “I’m going to be late for work and you’re going to be late for your fitting.” Justin makes a derisive sound in his throat and Amelia frowns. “You’ve been putting it off for weeks.”

 

“I know,” Justin grumbles, poking his cereal with his spoon. “I hate fittings.”

 

“Oh come on they aren’t that bad,” Amelia sighs, shoving papers in her bag and checking its contents.

 

“Oh really?” Justin asks, raising an eyebrow and turning slightly in his chair. “Tell me, would you like standing in the middle of a room in your underwear while some weird guy runs his hands up your legs.”

“Oh don’t be silly I let you do that all the time,” Amelia responds and then smirks, Justin narrows his eyes at her scowling playfully.

 

Charlotte’s eyes widen as she shifts uncomfortably. Innuendo is definitely something she never thought she’d hear from Amelia. It almost sounds foreign from her and then Charlotte realizes that she has once again forgotten that Amelia is not just her boss but an actual living breathing human being. A living breathing human being who has a very attractive fiancé. What? Charlotte’s eyes widen at the thought and two and two come crashing into four as it dawns on her. The giggles. The touching. The innuendo. She blushes, suddenly embarrassed at the thought, but more than embarrassed she’s intrigued. For some reason its hard to picture Amelia like that, as someone who has sex. Which is utterly ridiculous because anyone who’s with someone who looks like Justin is having sex. Okay she needs to get off this train of thought.

 

“Okay I’m gone,” Amelia says with a sigh, leaning to kiss Justin’s cheek softly and his eyes sink closed, a smile tugging the corners of his mouth upward. “Your fitting is at 8:30,” she pats his shoulder. He nods wearily as she turns to leave.

 

“Have fun,” Justin responds, reaching down to goose her as she shoulders her bag and she jumps, a soft squeal dying in her throat.

 

She smacks his arm again then pauses as if debating. She sighs. “Please don’t be late for your fitting.” She glances at Charlotte as she says this and Charlotte nods.

 

“I won’t. I won’t.” Justin grumbles, scooping more cereal in his mouth, milk dripping down his chin.

 

“Ugh Justin use a napkin,” Amelia scolds softly, handing him one from the stack in the porcelain holder in front of him. “What is that anyway? Frosted Flakes?”

 

Justin nods, taking the napkin from her and wiping his face before wadding it up and dropping it next to him on the counter, shoveling more food into his mouth. Amelia looks at him and his cereal disapprovingly before sighing.

 

“Okay Charlotte you’re in charge,” Amelia says airily and Justin looks up and narrows his eyes before sighing, seemingly letting it go and returning to his cereal. “Bye.”

 

“Bye,” Charlotte replies weakly and Justin merely waves as Amelia breezes easily out of the kitchen.

 

There’s an awkward silence left in her wake, Charlotte standing across the kitchen island from Justin, watching him finish his cereal. She just has to get through this week. She startles slightly at the thought. Justin isn’t a bad person to work for. He’s a nice break from Amelia actually. It’s just all those pesky undertones and the paranoia. Most of which, she’s almost positive, is all in her head. She watches as he heaves a sigh, chewing slowly as he gazes out the window thoughtfully.

 

Central Park sprawls out below, the brown and gray branches of trees making the normally vibrant park seem muddy and dull. Spots of white and gray dot the landscape on corners where snow has been piled and is melting to slush in the unusual warmness of the day. But even though the grass is mostly dead and the trees are bare, this little bit of nature looks like heaven amidst the concrete jungle as the first real sunlight in weeks shines dazzlingly on it.

 

“Nice day,” Justin says, resting his chin on his hand as he stares out the window, the morning sun dappling brightly through the window.

 

“Yep,” Charlotte says, eyeing his still half full cereal bowl and then her watch.

 

“Today would be a good day for golf,” he says off handedly, a goofy grin spreading across his face at the thought.

 

“I guess,” Charlotte responds. “You almost done? You’re gonna be late for your fitting.”

 

“How warm is it?” Justin asks as if he didn’t hear her at all and she blinks at him.

 

“I dunno… maybe forty…forty-five,” Charlotte says shrugging, shouldering her bag and hoping he gets the hint.

 

“Oh,” he says his face falling slightly as he ducks his head to spoon more cereal into his mouth. “Well let’s go I guess,” he sighs, standing so he can drop his half finished bowl into the sink.

 

“You sure? You can finish your breakfast,” Charlotte says, feeling a little bad for rushing him.

 

He shakes his head. “Nah, its fine. Let’s go get me molested,” he sighs, rolling his eyes.

 

Charlotte giggles despite herself, her hand a little late in coming up to suppress it. Justin looks at her slightly shocked and Charlotte looks away, her cheeks pinkening. She was still going for an unaffected air. Just because she was now relatively sure that he wasn’t trying to sleep with her didn’t mean she was going to be anything less than professional. Justin grins.

 

“Why Charlie…did you…did you just laugh?” Justin chuckles and she narrows her eyes at him, trying to force her lips into a frown but she can’t seem to keep the corners of her mouth from turning upward.

 

“No…no it was a cough,” she says clearing her throat and looking away, feigning disinterest. Banter can be professional right?

 

Justin beams at her for a second before situating his face into a look of mock seriousness. “Good…very good. I think you should definitely continue with the not laughing. It really accentuates the stick you have up your ass.”

 

He smirks as her jaw drops, watching as he snatches his jacket from the back of his chair and turns to traipse out of the kitchen, chuckling softly to himself. Charlotte snaps her mouth shut, scurrying after him, excitement curling in her stomach at the prospect of a sparring partner. The one thing she really missed from her old job was the sharp wit of her cube mates, the playful barbs slung back and forth over the little plastic walls separating their desks were the only thing to cure the terminal boredom.

 

He’s pulling on his heavy coat, grinning smugly to himself as he adjusts the collar. Charlotte sidles up next to him, reaching for her own coat.

 

“Did it ever occur to you that maybe you’re just not funny?” she asks and as Justin looks at her the grin falls right off his face.

 

Charlotte smiles up at him but it fades quickly when she sees that he’s not smiling anymore. Her breathing hitches and panic settles in her gut. She sputters, searching for something to say. Was he angry? Surely with all the jokes he makes he can’t be angry. Had she hurt his feelings? She thought that it would take more than a little poke at his pride to hurt his feelings. After all he was engaged to Amelia. Oh god…was he going to tell Amelia?

 

He stares at her for a moment, blinking and then he shakes his head chuckling to himself. He takes her coat from her, which she had been clutching in a death grip and smiles widely at her holding it open. She looks at him uncertainly and he gives it a little shake, motioning her into it. She turns, threading her arms through the holes and shivering as he pulls the coat up over her shoulders. She jumps as he leans forward to speak softly in her ear.

 

“Nah I’m hilarious,” he says and then walks around her so that he’s facing her, an amused look on his face. “You just have no sense of humor.”

 

He turns toward the door opening it and he grins back at her, a challenge in his eyes. Let’s see how this goes, his eyes say and she swallows hard. Should she be taking this here? Is this considered flirting? She shakes her head and smiles, shoving the thought away. She can’t go through another day like yesterday, worrying about his motives and her signals and emotional undercurrents. She had spent the entire day on the verge of hyperventilation and she couldn’t spend the rest of the week like that. So she’ll take this as it comes. She’ll be herself…whatever that means.

 

The ride down the elevator was full of snide comments murmured out the side of their mouths, both testing how far the other could be pushed. Charlotte didn’t back down, taking Justin’s snark and adding a heavy dollop of her own. By the time they had reached the lobby they were nearly bursting from repressed laughter, Justin grinning so hard it almost hurt his face. But the playful mood is snuffed when they step outside, and Justin is so shocked by the warmth of the day he stops speaking. He takes a deep breath, the air not freezing his lungs like it had every day for the past few months and looks around the sunny street in a daze.

 

“Holy hell,” he mutters and Charlotte glances around, finding the town car a little ways down the curb. “Wait…wait,” Justin says when she starts walking towards it. “You lied to me.”

 

Charlotte looks at him bewildered. “What?”

 

“You said it was forty degrees, it’s gotta be almost sixty out here,” Justin says looking around, “God, today would be such a great day for golf.”

 

“Yep,” Charlotte says nodding and motioning towards the town car. “Come on you’re gonna be late for your fitting.”

 

Justin doesn’t move, standing in the middle of the street and looking around, his blue eyes squinting under the harsh glare of the morning sun. It’s almost a little warm for his heavy coat, the bright rays from the sun warming his skin in a way that hadn’t happened in months.

 

“Justin?” Charlotte questions, looking at him uncertainly. “We’ve got ten minutes to get across town.”

 

“Do me a favor,” Justin says and turns back towards the doors to the lobby, spotting the doorman and grinning. “Call them and cancel.”

 

Charlotte stares at him slack jawed. “Wha…you…I…” she stutters.

 

“Hey Ben!” Justin hollers and the man standing next to the door turns to him and smiles. “Hey man can you ring up and tell them to get my golf clubs from upstairs.”

 

“But…you…you have…” Charlotte stutters as he breezes past her towards the town car now nestled up to the curb.

 

“Hey Tony!” he hollers and bends down to stick his head through the now open passenger side window to speak with the driver.

 

Charlotte is dazed standing in the middle of the street as people brush past her silently. She digs frantically in her bag for his portfolio, hoping for some sort of guidance. It’s a foolish thought, for all the leather binder holds are his plans, which he seems to be hell bent on breaking. She looks up and both he and the car are gone. She gasps, looking from side to side, panic seizing her. She catches a glimpse of his curly head just as the hotel doors close on him and she fights her way through the morning crowd trying to follow.

 

The elevator doors are closing on him as she muscles her way inside, rushing a little less than casually through the large lobby, tapping her foot impatiently as she waits for the elevator to descend. On the ride back up to the penthouse she tries to formulate a plan. He can’t just blow off his schedule. He has meetings to go to and phone calls to make and emails to respond to. He has to be fitted for a tuxedo for his wedding for godsake!

 

“Justin?” she calls out weakly as she pushes the heavy oak door open, her voice echoing slightly against the marble in the foyer. All is quiet except for a vacuum running somewhere in the depths of the house. She could go look for him? But god there was no telling where to begin in a place like this.

 

Just then Justin appears to the left side of the staircase, adjusting the collar of his midnight blue polo at his neck. He’s shoving the hem in the waist of his khakis when he sees her standing there, caught like a deer in the headlights, no clue as of what to do.

 

“I told you to go ahead and wait downstairs,” he says situating the buckle of his belt and then raising his arms over his head to situate his shirt comfortably on his thin frame. “I was just changing. Can’t play golf in a suit.” He grins.

 

“Um…Justin?” Charlotte says delicately, fingers clutching the portfolio tightly. “You…you really need to stick to your schedule.”

 

“I don’t have a lot going on today. A couple meetings but you can just reschedule those,” he says, shrugging as he drops to one knee to tie his sneaker.

 

“But…but your tuxedo. You have the fitting,” Charlotte says and looks at her watch grimacing. “Which you’re now late for.”

 

“I told you to cancel that,” he says, frowning at the scuff on the toe of his shoe, rubbing it furiously with his thumb.

 

“Justin…” Charlotte sighs, shifting uncomfortably.

 

“I can do it tomorrow,” he says shrugging as he stands up again and Charlotte bites her lip, choosing her next words carefully.

 

“Um…A-Amelia seemed really…um…it seemed like it was really important to her that you do this…and…if you didn’t go…today... er…I think she would be really…um…”

 

“Pissed?” Justin supplies for her and Charlotte smiles tightly at him nodding. He nods sighing. “Don’t worry about that,” he grins stepping closer to her. “What Amelia doesn’t know won’t hurt us.”

 

He grins widely and Charlotte takes an immediate step backwards, panic trembling in her stomach. What the hell was that supposed to mean? As if sensing her unease he steps back as well, the smile sliding from his face into a look of perplexed uncertainty. She refuses to meet his eyes and it’s then that he decides that maybe he’s putting her in a bad position. She works for Amelia and asking her to keep his secrets wasn’t her job. He sighs looking around, rubbing a hand across the back of his neck.

 

“Okay what about this,” he says and Charlotte looks up at him her green eyes meeting his and he smiles despite himself. “what about we compromise?”

 

“Compromise?” Charlotte asks uneasily.

 

He nods. “I’ll go to the driving range instead of playing eighteen holes and we’ll be back in the office by ten,” he says and then frowns adding. “thirty. Ten-thirty.”

 

“What about your fitting?” she asks, chewing her bottom lip uncertainly and Justin sighs.

 

“Clear my entire schedule tomorrow and I will spend the entire day looking at tuxes,” he says rolling his eyes.

 

Charlotte looks at him uncertainly. “And you’ll tell Amelia?”

 

Justin nods, grinning widely. “I’ll tell Amelia.”

 

“Well…I guess that’s okay-”

 

“Of course it’s okay!” Justin grins, brushing past her to snatch his lightweight thermal jacket from the rack. “Now come on we’re wasting valuable tee time.”

 

“Um maybe I should just head to the office,” Charlotte says, thinking about all the rescheduling she would have to do.

 

“You can’t be stuck in an office on a day like this!” Justin exclaims and then opens the door, adding with a smirk, “And besides I need you to carry my clubs.”

 

Charlotte blinks at him before stepping out the door. “Well…okay…I guess I could do-”

 

“Charlotte,” he cuts her off laughing and she turns to look at him. “I’m not going to make you carry my clubs.” He shakes his head. “You were doing so well.”

 

She narrows her eyes. “It’s not my fault you’re not funny,” she deadpans stepping into the elevator and he grins.

 

“You have no idea what you’re talking about. I’m hilarious.”

 

The banter continues down the elevator and in the car, where Charlotte is so caught up in the intricate weaving of words she barely notices that they were leaving the city, tall skyscrapers giving way to thick trees along six lane express ways. After one particularly scathing remark that left Justin slightly speechless and scowling, Charlotte looks out the window smirking to herself and gasps when she sees nothing but trees and a long stretch of road in front of and behind them.

 

“What…where are we?” she asks and Justin glances out the window at a passing sign.

 

“Almost to Plainview. We’re nearly there,” he says shifting excitedly in his seat.

 

Charlotte’s eyes nearly explode out of her skull. “How long have we been driving?” She asks slightly alarmed, looking down at her watch. “IT’S NEARLY NINE-THIRTY!!!”

 

“Yeah…about that,” Justin says chuckling to himself. “I think we aren’t gonna be back to the office in time for that ten-thirty deadline. Better say we’ll be gone through lunch just to be safe.” He nods affirmatively.

 

“You…I…you lied to me.” Charlotte exclaims, scowling at him and he grins.

 

“Turn about is fair play,” he grins smarmily and Charlotte glares at him.

 

“Yeah because giving an accurate weather forecast is what I’m known for,” she replies, her voice dripping with sarcasm and he grins. “Who do I look like Al Roker?”

 

Justin squints at her. “You know come to mention it…”

 

She doesn’t speak to him for the rest of the ride, not really because she’s angry but more so because she’s nervous. Deviating from the schedule for a few hours was one thing. But taking the entire morning off to drive out to freaking Long Island to hit a few golf balls was utterly ridiculous. She could only imagine what Amelia would think…

 

What Amelia doesn’t know won’t hurt us.

 

His words echo in her head and she cringes. What Justin doesn’t seem to understand is Amelia always knows everything.

 

After a few twisting and turning lanes they find themselves driving towards a large brick building at the end of a cul de sac. As they pull around Charlotte sees men in polos and slacks shouldering golf clubs, a few walking in the socks with their cleats in their hands. Justin is out of the car before she can blink and she finds herself scrambling after him, barely catching him thanking Tony as he shoulders his clubs and looks around before heading towards the clubhouse. She nearly runs smack into him when he stops abruptly, setting his bag down outside the door before going inside.

 

Charlotte follows, looking around at the golfers that are coming and going. There’s a sign on the door that says the wearing of cleats inside is strictly prohibited. Most men are in their socks.

 

“You and the lady, sir?” Charlotte hears the man at the counter ask.

 

“yeah that’s fine,” Justin says, reaching into his back pocket and pulling out an old leather wallet that looks like its been run over several times with a tractor.

 

“Oh I’m not playing,” Charlotte says, stepping closer to him and Justin waves flippantly, handing the man behind the counter his money and getting his change.

 

“Driving range is down the sidewalk. Follow the arrows for the Black Course and you’ll run into it,” the clerk says, handing him two large buckets of golf balls and Justin nods, thanking him as he turns to go back outside.

 

Charlotte hurries after him watching him set the buckets down and shoulder his clubs easily again before bending his knees to grab both buckets. Charlotte reaches to take one but he shakes his head at her and looks around before heading east, gazing out across one of the courses that sprawls for miles before them. He sighs.

 

“Do you play golf?” he asks and Charlotte shakes her head. “Ever played before?”

 

“Not really,” she says then pauses, debating before adding. “I putt-putted when I was little.”

 

Justin smiles. “Miniature golf is very different.” He chuckles at his own joke and Charlotte smiles uncertainly.

 

They fall silent again, walking the sidewalk steadily, the relative quiet of the area making their silence somewhat awkward and Charlotte scrambles to fill the gap.

 

“Have you played here before?” she asks in what she hopes is a genial way, watching the bars of the black wrought iron fence separating them from the course pass by one after the other.

 

“Yeah,” Justin says nodding and doesn’t elaborate, just looks out onto the fairway they’re passing, watching a group of men try to drive their balls closer to the green

 

“Okay,” Charlotte replies awkwardly as they come to a sign bolted to the fence.

 

WARNING” it reads. “The black course is an extremely difficult course which we only recommend for highly skilled golfers.

 

“Did you play the Black Course?” she asks, raising an eyebrow as she turns back to read the last of the sign as they move on.

 

“Yeah…” he says, hiking his bag higher on his shoulder and then grinning at her. “I should have listened to the sign.”

 

When they finally reach the driving range Charlotte’s feet are aching slightly. Ballet flats were not made to be hiked in but she feels sheepish as Justin sidles up to an open bay, setting his buckets and bag down, stretching languidly as he looks out over the range. They seem to have the place to themselves aside from the one man on the very opposite end of the range. He glances at them and Justin raises a hand in acknowledgement, receiving a wave in return before going about his business.

 

Charlotte looks around and finds a bench to sit on a little ways back from the bays. She eyes the two large buckets, wondering just how many golf balls were in there and how long it would take him to get through them. She still couldn’t believe she was here, in Long Island, watching him tug his cleats and glove from the large pocket in his golf bag.

 

He walks over, shoving his glove in his back pocket, and flops down next to her, reaching down to pull off his sneakers, setting them gingerly next to him on the bench and she’s never seen a pair of tennis shoes so white in her life. He tugs on his cleats, tying the laces and adjusting the hem of his khakis over his socks before standing and looking down at them, wiggling his legs a little, picking his feet up and down and bouncing slightly. He nods as if this is all satisfactory and pads back to his golf bag, making a soft humming sound as he makes his selection. He pulls out a large driver, brushing his fingers against the head before hooking his foot against the edge of one of the buckets, knocking it over and sending balls rolling everywhere. This doesn’t seem to bother him much as he wrangles one closer with the head of his club, pushing it so it balances on the plastic tee.

 

Charlotte watches him as he looks out over the wide expanse of grass, large signs marking one hundred yards, one-fifty, two hundred, all they way up to four-fifty where the lake was winking back at them in the bright morning sun. He tugs on his golf glove, wiggling his fingers before gripping his club, concentrating on the ball. He bends his knees, wiggling a little as he eyes the horizon, giving a few small short swings, getting used to the club in his hands. Finally he swings back, his body twisting elegantly and with a soft whoosh he brings it down quickly, a loud TWHACK sounding as he makes contact and the little white ball goes sailing through the air, bouncing down around the two hundred yard line before coming to a stop.

 

He scoffs, bringing the club back behind his shoulder blades, curling his arms around it and stretching his back, turning this way and that by the waist. He sighs bringing the club back down again, retrieving another ball and beginning the process again. Charlotte sighs, really wishing she’d brought a book or something.

 

“So…” Justin says, drawing out the word as he prepares to take his shot. “Charlie…” He brings the club back and down quickly, sending another ball flying out onto the grass. “How old are you?”

 

Charlotte blinks at him, slightly confused. He’s not looking at her, watching as his ball rolls to a stop around the two-fifty sign and then scrunches his nose, shaking his head as he goes to get another ball. His eyes meet hers then, questioning, waiting.

 

“Um…twenty-four.”

 

He nods rolling his ball onto the tee. “When’s your birthday?”

 

She blinks again, cautious now. What’s he after? “September 28th.”

 

“So that makes you a Libra huh?” He wiggles and then rears back, sending the ball flying. THWACK!

 

Charlotte’s brows furrow in shock. “Yeah…how’d you-”

 

“Astrological signs interest me,” he shrugs, wrangling another ball onto the tee. “I bet you’re a great listener and love to help people.” THWACK!

 

Charlotte looks at him slightly astonished. “Um…yeah.”

 

They’re quiet for a moment as he lines up his next shot, Charlotte chewing her bottom lip nervously. She wondered what else he could tell about her from her astrological sign. She tried to think about what the traits were of a Libra. Okay, now she was being ridiculous. She shook her head and barely caught the end of what he was saying over the loud THWACK of him hitting another golf ball.

 

“I’m sorry what?” she asks, leaning forward and holding onto the edge of the bench for balance.

 

“I said that Amelia told me you were from Pennsylvania?” he says, a questioning lilt tacked on the end and Charlotte nods. “Where in Pennsylvania?” he asks reaching for another ball.

 

“Cannonsburg,” she says, watching another ball fly out over the grass.

 

“Were you born there?” THWACK!

 

Charlotte nods, still wondering where this was all going. “Born and raised.”

 

“Are your parents still there?” THWACK!

 

Charlotte shifts on the bench. “Yes.”

 

“Are they married?” THWACK!

 

“Yeah,” Charlotte says and smiles at the image of them in her minds eye, sitting together on the front porch, her father’s arm around her mother’s shoulders. “For a little over thirty years now.

 

Justin turns to look at her, stopping mid swing. “Wow that’s impressive.” Charlotte nods smiling. He turns back to his ball, preparing to start his swing again. “Any siblings?” THWACK!

 

Charlotte nods again. “Two older brothers.”

 

Justin looks back at her, eyeing her. “How much older?”

 

She screws up her face in thought, looking up at the metal awning over head. “Paul is twenty-eight and Isaac is…thirty? Yeah thirty.”

 

Justin smiles, wiggling a little as he prepares to swing again. “And where are they?” THWACK!

 

“Oh back home still,” she says, waving a hand dismissively and she suddenly feels strange. Why is he asking her all this?

 

“So where’d you go to college?” Justin asks, rolling another ball in front of him and lining up.

 

“NYU,” Charlotte replies, a little uncertain now. Why did he want to know these things?

 

“Why?” THWACK!

 

“Why what?” she asks, caught up in her own thought process as she wracks her brain for his motive.

 

“Why NYU?” he questions lightly, looking at her briefly before grabbing for another ball.

 

“What’s with the Spanish Inquisition?” she responds, chuckling slightly though there’s a nervous edge to it.

 

Justin stops mid swing and looks back at her. He grins sheepishly, releasing from his stance to rub the back of his neck.

 

“Sorry. I ask a lot of questions sometimes,” he says shrugging and then grins. “It drives Amelia crazy.” He chuckles. “I was just trying to get a feel for you. I’ll stop,” he says, crouching back into his stance.

 

“No…no it’s fine,” Charlotte says, feeling bad for asking. He was just curious. “I chose NYU because it has the Stern School of Business. Can’t get much better than that,” she replies shrugging indifferently.

 

He smiles.  “What was your major?” THWACK!

 

“Finance.”

 

He cringes. “Ugh why?”

 

She chuckles. “My dad thought it was a good idea.”

 

Justin turns to her, looking perplexed. “Why?”

 

Charlotte shrugs. “I’m good at math. He wanted me to have a white collar job.”

 

“Why?” THWACK!

 

Charlotte shifts uncomfortably. “He worked in a coalmine for twenty years. He wanted better for me…for us…for my brothers and I.”

 

“What do your brothers do?” Justin asks, walking over to his bag and exchanging his club for a different one.

 

“Paul is an insurance agent and Isaac is a police officer.”

 

Justin chuckles. “Good combination.” Charlotte nods. They’re quiet for a moment again, Justin taking more time to concentrate now that he’s switched clubs. He hits a few balls before his eyes flit back to Charlotte.

 

“What kind of music do you listen to?” he asks and Charlotte sighs, thinking.

 

“Older stuff lately,” she says, her brow furrowing at the realization. “The Eagles…Billy Joel…Elton John…” she trails rocking a little on the bench, the seat hard beneath her.

 

“Who’s your all time favorite musician?” THWACK!

 

Charlotte sighs. “Oh jeez....” she mutters, reaching up to scratch her head in thought.

“Probably Don Henley....or John Lennon...” She grins. “of course.”

 

Justin turns back to her sharing her grin. “Of course.” She blushes slightly. He turns back to his ball. “Why?”

 

“Why?” she asks, disbelief ringing in her voice. “Because…I like Don Henley’s voice…and the way he sings just…” she trails, sighing as she tries to find the right words.

 

“He’s very melodic,” Justin provides, wiggling a little before rearing back and letting the ball fly. Charlotte’s eyes widen as it sails passed the two hundred fifty yard marker. “And he has really smooth production.”

 

“Yes!” Charlotte exclaims. “Exactly.”

 

He turns to look at her. “And I assume you like John Lennon because-”

 

“He’s John Lennon,” they finish together and both chuckle at each other.

 

Their eyes meet and Charlotte feels a jolt go through her as he smiles at her, her stomach fluttering slightly. She likes Justin. There she admitted it. He’s a nice guy, charming and congenial. She could imagine them being friends. It’d been awhile since she had friends.

 

“What’s the last concert you went to?” he asks, rolling another golf ball onto his tee.

 

Charlotte chuckles. “Ozzfest.”

 

Her answer completely throws off his swing, the ball zooming low over the grass before rolling to a stop just behind the one hundred yard marker. He turns to her and finds her giggling slightly to herself. He blushes, rubbing the back of his neck.

 

“Now you went and messed up my swing,” he chuckles, grabbing another ball. “Ozzfest huh?” he asks eyeing her.

 

“Don’t ask,” she chuckles and he raises his eyebrows at her.

 

“Don’t ask huh?” he says, turning his head to her briefly before sending another ball flying out of the bay. “All right.” He eyes her again.

 

“Um…so…where’d you learn to swing like that?” she asks, turning the tables on him and he grins at her good naturedly.

 

“Lots and lots of practice.”

 

He chuckles to himself, sighing as he wrangles another ball onto the tee and squares up. He hasn’t even started on his next bucket yet. She glances at her watch. It’s about a quarter after ten. Amelia is going to have her head.

 

“Come here.”

 

Charlotte’s head snaps up and finds him standing back from his tee again, leaning on his club and gesturing her forward with one hand.

 

“No,” she chuckles and shakes her head. “No I’m good.” She waves her hand. “You go ahead.”

 

“Nah come here,” Justin says dismissively, gesturing her forward again. “I’ll teach you.”

 

Charlotte debates for a moment before standing cautiously and walking over, eyeing him uncertainly and he steps back as she takes the grip of the club, the leather soft against her palm. She jumps as he grips her biceps lightly, moving her into place in front of the tee and gasps as his arms go around her waist, moving to position her hands on the grip.

 

“Okay first you grip the club like this,” he says, maneuvering her fingers and it’s slightly uncomfortable, her wrists bent awkwardly. “Good,” he praises lightly, craning his neck so he can see over her shoulder. He smells clean, just soap and skin and Charlotte shakes her head to clear it. “Now, squeeze your arms tighter together,” he says, applying a light pressure with his own arms, causing her stomach to tremble at his embrace. Was this crossing some kind of line?

“Um…Justin?”

 

“Tighter,” he says, ignoring her protest and squeezing her again. He shakes his head. “No tighter. Like this.”

 

He steps back and moves in front of her, bringing his hands down and holding an imaginary club, his arms making a tight v across his chest. Charlotte looks down trying to do the same but her breasts won’t allow her arms to go any farther. She snorts. The one time her boobs are too big.

 

“Um…” she says, avoiding Justin’s patient gaze. “I can’t really.”

 

“Oh…” he says, a look of realization blooming across his face and his ears turn red.

“Yeah…forgot…guys don’t really have to deal with the whole breast issue.” He chuckles and Charlotte can’t help but grin at him, blushing slightly. He shakes his head and his face turns serious again. “Okay, now bring your arms back.”

 

He swings his imaginary club and Charlotte notes the shape of his body for reference before looking down at the club and drawing it back awkwardly. Justin grimaces.

 

“God no,” he mutters, pursing his lips and then sighing. “Here.” He steps behind her again, his arms going around her and she tenses, his rough warm hands covering hers. “Relax,” he chastises lightly and she tries to, her heart racing. “Okay now one fluid motion,” he says, urging her to swing back and she feels his hips press to hers as their bodies turn together, the intimacy of the new contact causing her to swallow hard, her stomach clenching nervously. He guides her in bringing the club back down slowly, his body bumping against hers as she turns unwillingly, her body unaccustomed to the motion. “Turn your hips more,” he advises as he brings her into the back swing again, and her body follows his as it moves behind her, feeling his breath as his chest expands and contracts at her back. “See that’s better!” he exclaims and Charlotte can’t help but smile. “But crouch your knees more,” he brings his hand to tap her thigh for emphasis and she tenses again but bends her knees “Yeah,” he says and she can feel him nodding behind her. She can’t help but feel proud. She’s starting to get this. “Your hair smells good.”

 

She nearly sends the club flying out of the bay. “Um…thanks.”

 

“Is that mint?” he questions and she feels his nose press just slightly against the side of her head, his chest expanding against her back as he inhales.

 

“Yeah,” Charlotte replies, swallowing the lump in her throat and she steps forward, turning to face him, putting the tee between them.

 

She watches him for a moment and he seems unaffected. It was merely an observation on his part. She sighs, cursing herself inwardly. He’s not trying to get in her pants. He’s just naturally this way. She thinks she’s finally starting to get that.

 

“I like it,” he says smiling easily. “Amelia always wears that flowery perfume.” He makes a face and Charlotte giggles.

 

“You don’t like it?”

 

Justin shakes his head, scrunching up his nose as if he’s sorry to say so.

 

Charlotte smirks. “Why?”

 

Justin laughs. “Because I don’t like floral scents.” He shrugs. “Come on,” he says motioning her back over the tee and moving out of the way. “Practice makes perfect.”

 

Charlotte nods, moving back into position, trying to remember everything he told her. Arms tight. Knees bent. One fluid motion. He stands across the tee from her, watching her appraisingly.

 

“Yeah turn your hips remember?” he says and Charlotte tries to. “And point your right toe when you follow through.” She follows his instruction, concentrating hard on the way her body feels, trying to remember how his looked when he did this, wondering if she’s even remotely close. “So, are you dating anyone?”

 

Charlotte stops mid swing, looking up at him bewildered. “What? No!”

 

He tilts his head to the side, confused. “Why?”

 

“Um…I…I dunno…” she shrugs, ducking her head and wiggling on her feet, trying to get her body in motion again.

 

“You wanna hit a ball?”

 

“No.” Charlotte says and smiles as she pulls herself back up into a regular position and her back aches. She hands him the club and moves out of the way.

 

“You sure? I’ll let you hit one,” he says, stepping back into position in front of the tee and falling easily into his stance. Charlotte envies his grace. She’d felt nothing but awkward when she held the club and he looked as if it were a part of his body.

 

“I’m fine really,” she insists, stepping back so he has enough room to swing.

 

“Are you interested in dating anyone?” Justin asks, rolling a ball onto the tee and this question shocks Charlotte nearly as much as the first one did.

 

“Not really, no,” she answers, crossing her arms over her chest, that creeping panic starting in her gut again.

 

“Why?” THWACK!

 

“Because I’m…” she pauses. Why wasn’t she interested in dating anyone? “I’m not really looking for a relationship right now.”

 

“Why?” THWACK!

 

“I…I dunno.”

 

“Did you just break up with someone?”  he asks gently, looking up at her sympathetically as he grabs another ball.

 

Charlotte smiles tightly. “No.” She pauses, thinking. “Not really,” she pauses again and sighs. “It was awhile ago.”

 

“Was it serious?” he asks lightly, eyeing the horizon and wiggling slightly.

 

“Not really,” Charlotte shrugs because it wasn’t. Casual dating turned into casual monogamy turned into a casual parting of ways. An utter waste of six months of her life.

 

“Has there ever been anybody serious?”

 

Charlotte shrugs. “I dunno,” she replies easily, then smiles. “Do you count high school?”

 

Justin chuckles. “Sure, why not?”

 

“Then yes.” Charlotte says nodding, humor lacing her words. “Or I thought it was back then. We went to PROM together don't you know?” She giggles at the memories, at her own teenage foolishness.

 

Justin laughs openly. “What was his name?” THWACK!

 

“Mackanerny Paige,” she says and then bursts out laughing as he looks up at her with an eyebrow raised. It was kind of a ridiculous name. “We all called him Mack.”

 

Justin chuckles too.  “Geez, I'd go by Mack too...” THWACK! “So what happened? He break your heart or did you break his?

 

Charlotte shifts. “It was...amicable...sort of.”

 

Justin gives her a look. “You broke the poor kid’s heart didn’t you?” He grins and Charlotte blushes.

 

“I went off to school and he didn't like that too much...so he tried to date my friends to make me jealous,” she rolled her eyes then smile. “He married one of them.” She chuckles.

 

“It all works out in the end I guess,” he grins, bringing the club up and examining the head for a moment before dropping it back down. “So where’d you fit in high school anyway?” THWACK!

 

“I was on Math Team,” she says, giving him a pointed look. “Guess.”

 

He bursts out laughing. “Please tell me you were in the chess club too.”

 

“Shut up I was good at math,” she glares and he grins at her. “We won state my junior AND senior year which is more than I can say for our football OR basketball team.” She sniffs jutting her chin out defiantly.

 

Justin smirks. “And the chess club?”

 

Charlotte narrows her eyes. “We didn't HAVE a chess club.”

 

“But you would have been on the team right?” He grins.

 

“No!” Charlotte exclaims, glaring but it fades. “....maybe...shut up!”

 

Justin bursts out laughing again and Charlotte can’t help but grin too at the throaty sound. He’s got a great laugh.

 

“Were there horn-rimmed glasses too?” THWACK!

 

Charlotte purses her lips. “No I have PERFECT vision thank you very much.”

 

Justin eyes her as he retrieves another ball. “Braces?”

 

She shifts. “Yes braces...but I never wore my retainer so they shifted a little.” She brings up her hand to rub her front tooth discreetly.

 

 “Please god tell me there are pictures,” Justin teases lightly, dragging another ball to the tee.

 

Charlotte scoffs. “I was TWELVE!!!”

 

He chuckles, “so there ARE pictures?” THWACK!

 

“None that YOU'LL ever see,” Charlotte replies smarmily and relishes in his frown.

 

“Aw come on...”

 

She can’t fight the laugh in her throat. “They're in PENNSYLVANIA!”

 

Justin looks up from his ball, barely containing his grin. “What and they don’t have a post office in Pennsylvania?”

 

Charlotte narrows her eyes. “My mother loves me and wouldn't do that to me.”

 

“Even if YOU asked her to send them?” THWACK!

 

Charlotte grins. “Now why would I do that?”

 

“Because your boss told you to.” THWACK!

 

“You're not my boss.” Charlotte smirks and Justin’s head shoots up, eyeing her.

 

“I am your boss adjacent,” he smirks.

 

“You don't sign my checks,” Charlotte challenges, nodding authoritatively. He grins.

 

“Yeah but I sleep with the one who does,” he replies and Charlotte’s eyes go wide, a gasp tearing from her throat at his daring and he laughs at her shock.

 

She is saved from a reply by the ringing of a phone and she looks around, wondering for a moment if it’s hers but then she realizes it’s not her jazzy polka-like ringtone. Justin jumps, pressing his palm to the top of his club, pinning it to the ground as one hand delves into the pocket of his khakis. He produces a small silver cell phone that is ringing shrilly, an actual ring. How conventional, Charlotte thinks, watching him grimace as he flips it open.

 

“Hey puddin’” He exclaims jovially and Charlotte has to clench her jaw to keep from laughing at the sickly sweet term of endearment.

 

But it dies quickly as she hears Amelia’s shrill voice on the other line, Charlotte’s stomach dropping. She sounds pissed. Justin cringes, holding the phone a little ways from his ear, listening to Amelia shriek about him canceling his appointment, finishing with a demand of his whereabouts.

 

“Well I’m at the driving range right now,” he says and Charlotte cringes at the silence that follows his statement. “Babe?” he questions and pulls the phone from his ear, looking to see if he dropped the call.

 

Charlotte hears Amelia’s voice, low and menacing but doesn’t catch the words and Justin brings the phone back to his ear quickly to catch it. Justin’s face turns grim and he nods, pressing his lips together like a chastised child.

 

“Yes dear,” he says softly, flipping the phone shut and sighing and turning to Charlotte wearily. “Play time is over.”

End Notes:
A big thanks to my BFF BA for the late night IM session in which a lot of the dialogue was produced.
Chapter 9 pt I by SomethingBlue42
Author's Notes:
Okay I had to split this one into two sections because its friggin long so don't forget to read part 2 lol Enjoy!

Charlotte can hear Amelia jabbering away from the moment she walks through the door of the penthouse the next morning and she cringes, the annoyed tone wafting through the foyer and bouncing off the walls and marble floors, surrounding her in a cacophony of perturbed exhalations and irritated mutterings. She tenses as she shrugs out of her coat, hanging it on the stand by the door, wondering just how much flack she’s going to get for the previous day’s detour in the schedule. Justin had said he would take care of Amelia and while Charlotte didn’t doubt that he would try, she also knew that Justin seemed to be a little inept when it came to Amelia’s mercurial personality. She takes a deep breath, following the sound of voices, one Amelia’s clipped exasperated tone, the other apologetic and unidentifiable.

 

“…and I want the vases wiped down every other day.”

 

“Si, Miss Domineck.”

 

Charlotte steps into the bright kitchen, the overcast morning glowing feebly in the airy room. Amelia glows radiant in a chocolate silk halter dress, belted tightly around her slim waist, her hair twisted back in a tight bun. The older woman beside her is a good foot shorter than Amelia and about three times as wide, dressed simply in white, everything about her blending in except for the leathery copper of her skin.

 

“That’s all Marletta,” Amelia says with a wave of her hand as she shuffles through a few papers on the kitchen island and the woman nods, bowing her head as she scurries past Charlotte out of the kitchen.

 

Amelia is shaking her head, bringing a dainty white coffee mug to her lips, her other hand fisted on the gentle slope of her hip as she glances at the clock. Her face is perfectly silhouetted against the large window over the sink, the muted light making her profile hazy, giving her an ethereal glow. Charlotte is momentarily dazed by her beauty and shakes her head to clear it. How someone can look so perfect this early is beyond her.

 

“Morning,” Charlotte says softly and Amelia’s head turns sharply as if she’d been startled but she doesn’t jump, her body perfectly still.

 

“Good morning, Charlotte,” Amelia says, her tone devoid of any emotion, her eyes turning back to the papers in her hand and Charlotte swallows hard. “Would you like a cup of coffee?”

 

Charlotte watches her carefully, Amelia’s perfect face stoic and indecipherable. She glances up at Charlotte, her blue eyes cold as ice and Charlotte has no doubt in her mind that a reprimand is coming. She wishes Amelia would just get it over with but she knows Amelia, knows half the fun is in the extreme stress her displeasure causes in those she’s irked with.

 

“No…no thank you,” Charlotte says as evenly as possible, walking cautiously into the room to stand on the other side of the kitchen island.

 

“It’s not very good,” Amelia scoffs, sitting the cup down and wrinkling her nose at it. “It’s been a rather stressful morning.”

 

“Has it?” Charlotte asks, her heartbeat increasing with every passing second. Why won’t she just get on with it?

 

Amelia rolls her eyes. “Well, the dry cleaners ruined my Chanel blouse. When you get back you have to find me a new one. Preferably someone who isn’t utterly incompetent,” Amelia practically snarls and Charlotte swallows hard. Well, at least she knows she still has a job. “Patti is off in Paris searching for the table cloths I want for the wedding party tables and she was supposed to be back three days ago to help with Justin’s tux but of course she’s not back yet.” Amelia rolls her eyes. “And I had to have a talk with the maid service because this place is filthy.” She sighs shaking her head. “Oh and Justin still isn’t awake.” She snatches her coffee cup bringing it to her lips, annoyed.

 

Charlotte merely nods in response. She doesn’t envy Kaitie this morning. Amelia looks at her watch, sighing and rolling her eyes at the time as she gathers the papers in front of her and shoves them into the Prada briefcase that’s sitting on the barstool next to her.

 

“Justin’s only agenda for the day are his fittings, yes?” Amelia asks, rifling through her bag and Charlotte’s stomach clenches.

 

“Yes,” Charlotte replies, bracing herself for the onslaught.

 

“Good,” Amelia replies simply and lifts her head, her ice blue eyes colliding with Charlotte’s green tinted orbs and Charlotte has to swallow the lump in her throat. “Please make sure yesterday’s little detour isn’t repeated.”

 

Charlotte stutters. “Y-yes, Amelia. Of…of course.” She nods.

 

“I realize that he’s difficult,” Amelia says sighing and she glances at the clock again, narrowing her eyes and glancing at the staircase across the kitchen. “He’s practically a force of nature. Hurricane Justin my mother calls him,” Amelia adds with a humorless chuckle. “But that’s why he needs you, Charlotte. He needs someone there to rein him in when he gets ridiculous ideas.”

 

Charlotte nods contritely but can’t help thinking that that is what he has Amelia for. Amelia nods once, grabbing for her coffee cup and draining it and that seems to be the end of it. Charlotte heaves a sigh of relief. Amelia purses her lips, glancing at the clock again before sighing, annoyed.

 

“He is the most impossible man,” she growls, stomping towards the staircase her heels rapping smartly on the blond oak floor as she approaches the staircase. “JUSTIN!!! FOR GOD SAKE GET UP!!! YOU HAVE AN APPOINTMENT AT BROOKS BROTHERS AT EIGHT-THIRTY AND IT’S ALREADY A QUARTER TO!!!”

 

Charlotte cringes as Amelia rolls her eyes and hurries back over to her bag, checking its contents again and glancing at her watch.

 

“You’ve got your work cut out for you today,” Amelia grumbles and then jerks as if remembering something, her mouth forming a perfect “oh” as she reaches into her bag. “Justin’s schedule. 8:30 at Brooks Brothers, 9:30 at Gucci, 10:30 at Armani, 11:30 at Yves St Laurent, 12:30 at Ralph Lauren-”

 

“Um,” Charlotte says and Amelia looks up from her list, her eyes questioning, slightly annoyed by the interruption. “Did you make time for-”

 

“Lunch, yes,” Amelia says, waving a hand. “After Ralph Lauren he’s got forty-five minutes for lunch and his next appointment is with Barney’s at 2:15 and then finally John Varvatos at 3:30.”

 

Charlotte takes the paper from Amelia, Kaitie’s elegant scrawl indicating the addresses and times. Charlotte bites her lip, eyeing the forty-five minute window for lunch. Justin usually eats at noon everyday and if there is one thing you should never try to change, its Justin’s eating habits. He’s utterly impossible when he’s hungry.

 

“Don’t let him choose anything too over the top,” Amelia says, shouldering her bag. “Make sure he sticks to because he’s been having this ridiculous idea about a zuit suit,” she scoffs. “Just keep reminding him that the wedding is traditional.”

 

Charlotte is just about to respond when she hears the soft steady thump of bare feet on the stairs. Both women turn to find Justin staggering sleepily into the kitchen, his hair a ruffled curly mass atop his head, his face scruffy and unshaven, a pillow crease across his forehead. He’s still wearing his pajamas, thread bare blue plaid pants and a t-shirt that fits tightly across his chest. He shuffles blearily to the kitchen island and slides onto a stool, laying his head on his arms with a soft growl.

 

“You’re still in your pajamas?” Amelia accuses her voice laced with annoyance. “You need to shower and get ready. I swear if you miss your tux fitting again I will-”

 

“Amelia,” Justin groans, his voice scratchy and muffled from inside his arms. “It’s seven-thirty in the morning. Please wait till at least nine before you start bitching at me.”

 

Charlotte’s eyes go wide as Amelia’s narrow in rage, her fingers tightening around the strap of her bag as she presses her lips into a thin line. Justin is seemingly oblivious to her anger, too sleepy to think about what he’s saying or even care about her reaction. Charlotte fears for his safety. But Amelia merely grits her teeth, placing a hand on his back and he jumps slightly as her nails curl in and she leans close to his ear, her breath fanning what little of his face is visible.

 

“Don’t curse,” she says lowly, her voice a warning and a sound of distaste pulls from his throat as she pecks his ear and pats his back before stepping back. “Good luck,” she deadpans to Charlotte, eyeing Justin disapprovingly before shaking her head and breezing out of the kitchen.

 

Charlotte watches her go, nothing but a blur of silk and the scent of gardenia lingers in her wake. Charlotte turns to find Justin still hunched over the kitchen island, his back rising and falling steadily. She bites her lip, taking a small step towards him.

 

“Justin?” she questions softly and gets no response. “J-Justin?” she asks again, a little louder this time and reaches out, poking him just under his shoulder blade. He twitches, groaning annoyed. “Justin!” Charlotte says, her voice sharp and he bolts up in his chair, nearly toppling off the stool as he jerks awake.

 

He sighs irritated. “Don’t…don’t do that.”

 

“Sorry,” Charlotte says somewhat sympathetically, moving around the kitchen island to set her bag down and she watches as he looks around, blinking dazedly. “Tough night?”

 

“God you have no idea,” he groans, his head falling back to his arms. “She missed her calling doing A&R,” he says, his voice muffled in his arms. “She should have been a boxer with her stamina.” He pulls his head up, sighing. “It’s my own fault really. She was giving me the silent treatment until I finally convinced her to talk to me about it.”

 

“God, that’s the kiss of death” Charlotte says and then her eyes go wide in shock at her own statement. Justin’s lips twitch into a short smile.

 

“You’d think I’d learn by now,” he sighs, reaching his arms over his head and wincing as his back pops. “God that guest bed is horrible.” Charlotte’s eyebrows knit. He nods at her expression. “Oh yeah she made me sleep in the guest room. In my own damn house.” He grumbles. “Woman’s got some stones I’ll give her that.”

 

Charlotte’s eyes soften, feeling truly sorry for him for the first time. Not so much because he was constantly being treated like a naughty child who needs to be taught a lesson but because he failed to realize this. He failed to realize that Amelia ruled him in every sense of the word. There was no question in Charlotte’s mind of whose house this really was.

 

“You should get dressed,” she says softly and he sighs, his blue eyes closing in fatigue. “Your fitting is in…” She checks her watch and cringes. “…thirty minutes.”

 

Justin groans, his head falling back to his arms and Charlotte sighs.

 

“No…no don’t put your head down,” she says and Justin brings his face back up, looking at her wearily, his lips forming a pout and she can’t help but smile. “Come on…clothes.”

 

“I need a shower,” he says, ruffling his hair into complete disarray and Charlotte has to bite her lip to suppress her giggle.

 

“Then you better hurry.”

 

“Fine,” he sighs, growling slightly as he slides off his barstool, trudging back towards the stairs. “Make me a bowl of cereal will you?” he hollers over his shoulder before disappearing up the staircase.

 

Charlotte watches his retreating form, checking her watch again and grimacing. If they’re late for this appointment Amelia will have her head. She turns to the cabinets, slightly daunted by the number of them, wondering where on earth they keep the bowls. As she’s making her decision her phone rings, the jaunty polka blaring from the inside of her purse. She winces as she tugs it out of her bag, flicking it open without checking the caller I.D, doing anything to stop the noise.

 

“Hello?” she says breathlessly, opening the pantry, fairly certain that’s where they hide the cereal.

 

“Charlie Beth Puddin and Pie!!!” a booming male voice exclaims through the line and Charlotte can’t help the grin that crosses her face at the sound of her father’s joyous greeting.

 

“Hey Dad,” she says, a hint of laughter in her voice as she peers around boxes of rice and canned goods, looking for the cereal. She finds a box of bran flakes but keeps searching.

 

“How’s my girl?” he asks and she can hear tinkering in the background, the sound of metal on metal.

 

“Oh you know…fine,” Charlotte replies, crouching down to look on the lower shelves but finds nothing. Bran flakes it is then. “What are you doing?” she asks, wincing as the tinkering gets louder.

 

“Oh you know this damn faucet in the bathroom,” her father grumbles and a loud clang sounds. “Sonnuvah bitch!” Charlotte giggles. “Sorry honey,” he says with a sigh.

 

“Did you need something?” Charlotte asks, setting the cereal on the counter before opening cabinet after cabinet searching for bowls.

 

“Yeah I was wondering when you were coming in? Isaac already agreed to pick you up from the airport-”

 

Charlotte cringes. “Dad-”

 

“Don’t worry he won’t take the cruiser this time,” her father chuckles. “And I made him promise not to pretend to arrest you in the baggage claim again.”

 

“Thanks Dad,” Charlotte replies sarcastically but he doesn’t seem to catch it.

 

“So when you coming in? What’s your flight number? I hope you’re not taking that one airline, they always lose your luggage…” he says, the clanging in the background falling into a steady rhythm.

 

“Well I haven’t booked my flight yet. I-” Charlotte says, struggling to reach a delicate white bowl on the top shelf.

 

“Haven’t booked your flight yet?” her father booms and Charlotte nearly sends the bone china to the floor, her fingers fumbling before wrapping safely around the bowl. She breathes slowly. “You know those things get more expensive the longer you wait.”

 

“I do know that Dad but Amelia hasn’t picked when she and Justin are leaving for Memphis yet and I can’t book a flight until they do.” She responds, setting the bowl on the counter and cradling the phone under her ear as she opens the box of cereal.

 

“Well that’s just rude,” her father huffs and Charlotte smiles, shaking the contents of the box into the small bowl before turning to put it back in the pantry. “You want me to call and talk to her?”

 

The phone slides from Charlotte’s shoulder in horror and she just barely catches it before it slides down her arm. “NO!” she exclaims panicked and then swallows hard, sighing. “No…no Dad that’s not necessary.”

 

“Are you sure?” he asks, the clanging loud again and Charlotte winces, holding the phone away from her ear as she searches the drawers for a spoon.


”Yeah Dad I’m sure,” Charlotte says, scooting the bowl of cereal in front of the chair Justin had previously occupied, setting the spoon next to it neatly.

 

Just then Justin comes ambling down the stairs, muttering sourly to himself. His face is clean shaven, his hair set in neat waves, curling loosely at his temples. His suit is coal black, three flat silver buttons glinting on the cuff of his jacket as he adjusts his tie at his throat, smoothing his hands down his front.

 

“Dad I’ll have to call you back,” Charlotte says quickly and Justin eyes her as he steps closer.

 

“Okay Charlie Beth, Apple of my Eye, Tart of my Heart,” he sings and Charlotte chuckles. “Hey you get a lunch right? Call me at lunch.”

 

“I’ll try,” Charlotte says quickly, watching Justin watch her as he slides onto the barstool. “Bye Dad.”

 

She’s flipping the phone closed as her father bids farewell and she winces. She really needs to make more time to talk to him… and her mother…and her brothers. Being Amelia Domineck’s assistant doesn’t really leave much time for anything else.

 

“Was that your dad?” Justin asks, watching as Charlotte searches in the fridge for the milk.

 

“Yeah,” Charlotte says. “Is soy milk okay?” she asks, pulling the carton out and he makes a face. She turns back into the fridge. “Actually it seems to be your only choice.”

 

He frowns then nods, sighing. She hands him the carton and he opens it, wrinkling his nose as he sniffs the opening and shakes his head. He pours it into his bowl and goes to close the carton when he does a double take.

 

“Um…was this the only cereal in the pantry?” he asks, handing her the milk and she cringes, moving to put it back in the fridge.

 

“Yeah,” Charlotte says, her heart beginning to race as he pokes the contents of his bowl with his spoon.

 

He peers up at her. “No Frosted Flakes?”

 

She swallows hard. “N-no.”

 

He sighs. “MARLETTA!!!” he hollers and Charlotte jumps. “Sorry,” he offers, grinning sheepishly at her as the maid re-enters the kitchen.

 

“Goo’ morning, senor,” Marletta says, her Spanish accent thick and Justin grins at her.

 

“Good morning Marly…I was just wondering what happened to my Frosted Flakes?” he asks and Marletta’s face crumples into a look of uncertainty.

 

“Miss Domineck threw away this morning, senor,” Marletta says softly and Justin’s frown deepens, looking longingly into his cereal bowl, poking at the bran flakes sadly.

 

“Okay…” he sighs and then as Marletta begins to leave again he reaches for her arm stopping her, motioning for her to lean in in conference. “Could you get me another box and put it somewhere safe?”

 

Marletta blinks at him before smiling slowly and shaking her head. “Si, senor. I get for you.”

 

“Marly I love ya,” he says grinning and the older woman pats him on the shoulder affectionately, chuckling as she leaves the room.

 

Justin scrunches his nose at his cereal before digging his spoon in and taking a bite, chewing slowly before swallowing and smacking his lips, his tongue snaking out to lick his bottom lip and he grimaces.

 

“Charlie can you hand me the sugar or something?” he asks sighing and the urge to roll her eyes isn’t as strong as it usually is as she turns and searches for the sugar bowl. She must be getting used to it. She should be since its pretty much the only way he addresses her now.

 

“Where is…oh there it is,” she mutters to herself, grabbing the small sugar dish by one of his handles, her other hand flying to hold the lid in place as it almost slides off the top.

 

She sets it in front of Justin who smiles his thanks, piling sugar into his cereal bowl and turning it over and over to mix it in. He takes another bite and seems somewhat satisfied, sighing as he gazes out the window.

 

“How cold is it today, Al?” he deadpans, invoking their little inside joke from yesterday and Charlotte narrows her eyes at him, pursing her lips so as not to smile when a grin pulls across his face at her reaction.

 

“Very,” she replies, a shiver running through her as she remembers her rush from the curb to the front door of the building.

 

He grumbles. “Just perfect.” He shovels another spoonful of cereal in his mouth and winces at the taste and by the look on his face it takes all his willpower to force it down. He sighs. “Let’s just go,” he grumbles wiping his mouth swiftly with his napkin and crumpling it in his fist, moving to drop his bowl in the sink. “Wouldn’t wanna be late.”

 

His sarcasm isn’t lost on Charlotte. Some day this was going to be.

 

***

 

A horn blares and he feels a small hand catch his elbow, tugging him back before he walks headlong into midmorning traffic. He growls, rolling his eyes and waiting impatiently. They’ve been doing this all damn morning. Hopping from shop to shop trying on tux after tux, vest after vest, strip down, measure, dress up, strip down again, back in his own clothes. If he’d had any sense he would have dressed casual. His stomach growls. And forced down more of his breakfast.

 

“I hate this fucking city,” he spats, glaring at the cars that are inching slowly down East Seventy-First Street.

 

“It’s just down the road,” Charlotte says evenly but he cannot be placated.

 

“It’s cold as fuck,” he growls, shivering hard even inside his heavy jacket and he glances at her just in time to catch her pursing her lips in frustration. “Where are we going again?”

 

“Ralph Lauren,” Charlotte says, craning her neck as traffic begins to slow and he watches as she steps out hesitantly before she scurries quickly into the intersection.

 

He follows somewhat reluctantly, catching up in a few strides. It’s spitting snow now, white flecks dotting Charlotte’s chestnut hair as he strides up next to her. She hisses, sucking air through her teeth and he looks over just in time to see her shiver hard, her hands fisted in the pockets of her peacoat. He feels guilty now, dragging her all over this godforsaken city in the middle of the Christmas shopping season in subzero temperatures, and he was being an ass on top of it all.

 

“We’re going to lunch after this I promise,” she says, glancing briefly at him, her face tense and he wishes she would smile more. “This is it I think,” she adds, surveying the royal blue awnings.

 

“Its fine I’ll just gnaw my arm off if I get really hungry,” he deadpans shrugging his shoulders, watching her out of the corner of his eye and he sees the corners of her mouth twitch. He pulls his face into a look of mock contemplation. “Do you think that would effect the cut on the tux?”

 

She smiles before mimicking his contemplative expression. “Probably, we’ll tell the tailor to account for that.”

 

Justin grins at her as he reaches for the door, gesturing her inside and he follows, the blast of warm air causing him to sigh in quiet thanks. The smell of new fabric and the musk of cologne assail his senses and he sneezes hard, shaking his entire body. Charlotte looks back at him slightly alarmed, her cheeks pink from the sudden temperature change and he smiles shaking his head at her.

 

“Cologne makes me sneeze,” he says, waving off her concerned expression and she finally does smile, chuckling a little to herself in the way that girls do when they think you’ve said something adorable. Amelia hasn’t done that in years.

 

“I’ll try not to put on so much next time,” Charlotte deadpans and he gives her a wry smile before shaking his head.

 

“Mr. Timberlake!”

 

Charlotte and Justin look up to see a thin flamboyant man bounding down the large wooden staircase. Justin cringes. He can’t be a day over twenty-five. His hair is short in back, but long in the front and slicked across his forehead, giving the appearance that the wind blew from the left and it sort of just stuck that way. He wears black frame glasses and a salmon colored dress shirt with a grey vest and trousers, all of which are rumpled just enough to show that it was done on purpose. He has a measuring tape draped around his neck.

 

“It’s a pleasure to meet you sir. I’m Leo,” the man says, extending his hand delicately and Justin wonders if this is one of those situations where you have to give a limp handshake. He hates that.

 

“Pleasure to meet you, Leo,” Justin says, gripping the man’s hand, giving it a gentle squeeze which seems to be satisfactory. “I’m Justin and this is my assistant Charlotte.”

 

Leo turns to look and Charlotte and his eyes light up. “Well aren’t you just adorable,” he exclaims fisting his hands on his hips and Justin has to bite back his laugh at the shocked look on her face. “Peacoats are so coming back in.” His eyes travel down her body appraisingly and he gasps when he reaches her feet. “And ballet flats! Honey, those are vicious! Where’d you get those?”

“Um…” Charlotte says, looking at Justin uncertainly and he merely raises his eyebrows in amusement. She turns to Leo and slowly replies, “Macy’s.”

 

He gasps again. “And a thrifty shopper too! Precious.” He sighs smiling at Charlotte before looking back and forth between the two of them. “Well we’re here for you today aren’t we, Justin?” He asks and Justin tenses slightly when Leo pats him on the chest but the younger man doesn’t seem to notice, already making his way up the staircase. “If you’ll just follow me,” he calls over his shoulder.

 

They share a look before Charlotte nods at him, indicating that he should follow first and he sighs, trudging up the stairs slowly. His eyes flit around the second story, suits and polos hanging enticingly from the racks. He almost wishes he were just shopping today. Anything to avoid dropping trou in front of yet another twenty-something retail assistant. You’d think he’d get better, the district manager or at least the manager of the store, being who he is. Then again he’s not really him anymore, not the platinum selling, grammy award winning artist. Not the actor. Not the producer. He is Amelia Domineck’s fiancé which if he were someone else he wouldn’t get all up in arms about him either. Or something. His brow creases. Now he’s confusing himself.

 

“Okay Justin dear if you could just come in here,” Leo says, swinging open double French doors, curtained for privacy.

 

Inside he sees a floor length three-way mirror in front of which is a small octagonal stage, or chopping block as he views it. This is where he gets to stand in his underwear. Great. The room is otherwise unfurnished aside from a few racks of jackets and pants, dress shirts and vests. There’s a small side table with cuff links displayed on velvet. There are three chairs off to the side for any guests that would like to witness his humiliation.

 

“Okay I just need you to strip down to your skivvies and we’ll get some measurements,” Leo says and Justin forces a smile, fighting the roll of his eyes as he unbuttons his coat. “Charlotte honey you can sit over there,” Leo adds as he takes Justin’s coat and Justin is somewhat relieved to find that Charlotte looks almost as horrified as he feels.

 

“Um…I can wait…” she swallows hard looking at the floor. “out…outside.”

 

Then again flustering her is always so much fun.

 

“Don’t be silly Charlie,” Justin says, waving a hand at her, enjoying the tight look she gets on her face over the nickname as he shrugs out of his suit jacket, Leo eying it appraisingly before draping it over a hanger. “You’ve seen a man in his underwear before haven’t you?”

 

“Well…” Charlotte stutters and Justin grins at the blush that creeps up her neck. “Yes…but-”

 

“This suit is just gorgeous,” Leo interrupts as Justin slips out of his vest. “Yves St Laurent right?”

 

“Um…yes,” Justin says as he begins to unbutton his shirt while Leo hangs the vest next to his jacket, admiring it before returning to take his shirt from him.

 

“They cut such great suits,” Leo gushes, eyeing Justin a little longer than was customary as he takes the shirt from him. “Of course so do we,” Leo adds, grinning. “We have soooooo many options for you to try today. Of course you’ll look fantastic in all of them but this is about you choosing what will look best for your special day.” Leo grins widely shrugging his shoulders up in excitement and Justin smiles back the best he can, waiting for him to turn before he undoes his belt.

 

“Justin,” Charlotte says, her voice slightly manic and he looks at her, finding her head down, her eyes flitting around the pattern on the Persian rug. “I…I really can just wait outside like at the other-”

 

“It’s fine,” Justin replies, stepping out of his slacks and as Leo flits away to hang them up he leans towards her in conference. “Don’t leave me alone with him. He makes me nervous.”

 

Charlotte giggles and his stomach flutters. “Afraid he’s going to try and have his way with you,” she asks, her green eyes dancing mischievously. “I could give you two some privacy if-”

 

“No,” Justin says, glaring playfully. “I need you in here so the kid doesn’t turn me into his own personal Barbie.”

 

“Well would you look at that!” Leo exclaims and Justin jumps slightly at the joy in his voice as he looks at himself in the mirror, clad in only an undershirt and his boxer-briefs. “You’re wearing our underwear.” Justin winces. This is all so horribly humiliating. He thinks he hears Charlotte giggle and he fights his own blush. “The Polo boxer-breifs are soooooo comfortable,” he sighs and leans towards Justin in conference. “And give great support.” Justin forces a smile as Leo winks conspiratorially at him.

 

Charlotte coughs but it sounds closer to a laugh.

 

“We have some great options for you,” Leo says, tugging a rack closer to the raised step. “We just need to get some measurements. If you could just step up here-”

 

“I have his measurements,” Charlotte says and Justin turns to look at her, finding her shrugging out of her coat, her dark hair falling like a curtain in front of her face as she paws through her handbag. “Here,” she says, retrieving a piece of paper and handing it to Leo, being sure to avoid looking at Justin. Her eyes flick quickly to his face, finding him looking slightly puzzled. “I had them write them down at the last place. No sense in them measuring you every time,” she mumbles before scurrying over to the chairs and sitting, tucking her hair behind her ear and looking resolutely at the floor.

 

If he wasn’t engaged he would have kissed her.

 

“Well okay then that’s one less step,” Leo says as he paws through the racks, snatching a white dress shirt. “This is our Classic Fit Wing Formal,” Leo says as he helps Justin shrug it on. “It’s a long-sleeved formal dress shirt tailored for a comfortable

classic fit.” He comes around front, taking both sides and Justin holds his arms open, bent awkwardly at the elbows, watching uncomfortably as Leo does the buttons for him. “Ultra-smooth, crisp cotton broadcloth for a sleek look,” he continues, situating the shirt front on Justin’s slim frame, “Elegant wing collar,” he says, adjusting the collar. “French cuffs.” He slips his hand into his pocket producing a set of cufflinks and hooking them through the ends of the sleeves, trapping Justin’s wrists in the fabric. “Split back yoke for a smooth, beautifully contoured shoulder,” Leo says, moving around behind Justin, smoothing his hands quickly across the breadth of his shoulders. “See, perfect. Tailor-made by God himself.”

 

Justin scrunches his nose, wiggling his shoulders a little. The fabric was nice albeit the shirt was a little tight across his back. Leo brought him the trousers next, Justin taking them from him quickly in case he got any ideas about helping him.

 

“The trousers are tailored with double forward pleats,” Leo says as Justin buttons the pants at his waist. They’re a little high for his taste and a little loose. “Belted waist with interior suspender buttons and adjustable button tabs at the sides.” Justin half listens as he tucks in his shirt, examining his reflection, shuffling his feet as the hemline pools around his ankles. “Oh, they’re unhemmed honey. We tailor that,” Leo adds, patting his arm as he goes to get the jacket. Justin sighs.

 

“And this is the single-button tuxedo jacket,” Leo says, helping Justin tug it on. “It’s tailored with a grosgrain lapel and button.” He tugs lightly on the lapels and Justin runs his hands down his front, the fabric smooth and soft beneath his hands. “Angled chest welt pockets,” Leo pauses as he taps them with a finger. “Flap welt pockets at the hips,” Tap. “And interior welt pockets.” Tap. “Finished with double-vented back and button detail at the wrists.”

 

Leo stands back to admire him and Justin eyes himself critically in the mirror. Can he see himself getting married in this? He tries to picture it. The vast interior of St. Thomas. The six bridesmaids and ushers. He tries to see the flowers and hear the music. He tries to see Amelia, his Amelia, dressed in white, standing next to him. It’s all a blur in his head, a fuzzy almost inconceivable blur. He sighs.

 

“What do you think Charlie?” Justin asks, turning left, then right, trying to look at his ass as discreetly as possible. He finds it non-existent as always.

 

She doesn’t respond right away and this causes him to turn to her, finding her gazing up at him, a look of awe on her face. Her mouth snaps shut as his eyes meet hers and he can’t help but grin. A jaw drop. He hasn’t gotten that in awhile. She sputters slightly, smoothing her hands over her skirt nervously and he hears Leo chuckle.

 

“My thoughts exactly, honey,” Leo smirks, fussing over the sleeves of the jacket.

 

“You drooled a little there, Charlie,” Justin chuckles, shaking his arms out as he preens a little in the mirror, humming softly to himself.

 

Leo smirks as he walks over to the table and comes back with a black bow tie, standing in front of Justin on the platform as he wraps it around his neck.

 

“I…I did no such thing,” Charlotte sniffs, crossing her arms over her chest and glaring at Justin.

 

“We have the perfect shoes for this too,” Leo says as he smoothes Justin’s tie against his throat.

 

As he scurries off, Justin tugs at it, feeling like he’s choking. He winces, swallowing hard. He turns to Charlotte and her eyes flick away immediately, looking over at Leo who is opening a box of shoes at Justin’s feet. Justin begrudgingly allows him to slip them on for him, wiggling his toes as best he can in the unrelenting leather.

 

“These are Sullivan Oxfords,” Leo says, buffing the toes with his shirt sleeve. “They’re calfskin and handmade in Italy.”

 

“What do you think Charlie?” Justin asks turning towards her and opening his arms, turning this way and that by his waist. He couldn’t really move.

 

“It looks…” Charlotte trails, her eyes roving across the breadth of his shoulders down his torso and legs to his feet. “…nice.” She clears her throat, tucking her hair nervously behind her ear.

 

“Nice?” Leo asks incredulously. “Honey, are you blind?” Justin can’t help but laugh at the expression on Leo’s face. He was growing on him. “You sure you’re straight?” Leo asks and Justin chuckles.

 

“Pretty positive yeah,” Justin chuckles, shaking his wrists and Leo sighs dramatically.

 

“All the cute ones are.”

 

Justin chuckles, humming still as he tries to raise his arms, pushing against the fabric that is binding him into one position. It gives but not easily. His hum turns into more of an opened mouthed run, his vocal chords vibrating softly and he bobs his head as the familiar song flows through him. Before he knows it he’s belting it out.

 

“Clean shirt, new shoes / And I don’t know where I am goin to,” he sings, snapping his fingers and tapping his foot and the grin that spreads across Charlotte’s face brightens the room. There was the smile he was looking for. He continues. “Silk suit, black tie,” he tugs on the ends of his tie, wiggling his hips the best he can in the confining suit. “I don’t need a reason whyyyyyyyy.” He holds his hand in front of his face and he can practically feel the mic in his hand, feel the lights, hear the bass. “They come runnin just as fast as they can…” He throws his arms out, but the tux catches him, only allowing him to raise them waist high but his voice soars like his body can’t. “Cause every girl crazy bout a sharp dressed man.

 

“Oh it’s not just the girls honey,” Leo deadpans, chuckling softly and Justin comes back to himself and he’s him once again. The new him. Just Amelia Domineck’s fiancé. “Now, I have another tux that will look just heavenly on you…”

 

***

 

“Okay that only took forever,” Justin grumbles as they trudge down the staircase, his stomach snarling at him, demanding food.

 

“I’m sorry,” Charlotte says softly and Justin sighs. It’s not her fault Ralph Lauren offered a million different tuxedos and Leo wanted him to try on every single one.

 

“Where are we going for lunch?” he asks as they make their way to the doors.

 

“Well there’s this place called Fred’s,” Charlotte says, tugging the paper with their itinerary from her coat pocket. “Kaitie suggested it since our next stop is Barney’s.”

 

He nods, anything sounding good to him at this point. He reaches to open the door for her, holding his breath and bracing himself against the cold gush that was about to hit them. What he didn’t brace himself for was the array of flashbulbs that nearly blinded him.

 

“Great, just fucking great,” he growls, pushing his way into the crowd. “Charlotte call the-”

 

He cuts off midsentence when he turns and she’s not behind him. She’s still standing by the door, green eyes wide with terror as two of the six men close in on her, shouting questions and accusations, shutters clicking wildly. He grits his teeth, pushing back through, elbowing one photographer hard in the ribs to get him out of the way.

 

“Charlotte it’s okay,” he says, his hand closing around her bicep as he tugs her into the crowd, cameras snapping, everyone shouting.

 

He can feel her trembling and he’s sure it’s not from the cold. It’d been awhile since he’d done this, since he’d had to help someone deal with the cameras. He was so used to Amelia’s stop and pose routine, turning this way and that so they’d get a good shot. She called it ‘making the best of a bad situation.’ They were going to take your picture no matter what so why not make it a good one? But it still seemed like second nature to him as his arm wrapped protectively around Charlotte’s shoulders, tugging her swiftly down the sidewalk. She stumbled along and he knew she must be half blind from the flashbulbs. He could hear her panting, practically feel her heart hammering against his ribs as he tugged her body tighter against his. She ducked her head, turning slightly into his chest as the paparazzi followed them, three of them wheeling around to get in front.

 

“Who’s your girl JT?” one shouts and Justin ignores him, his face set in a hard mask of annoyance as he pulls Charlotte swiftly through the crowd.

 

“Where’s Amelia?” another asks, his camera flashing white and Justin slows his pace until his vision is only partially obscured by spots.

 

“Getting tired of blonds Justin?” another heckles, camera clicking just a foot away from him and he longs to reach out and smash the camera on the ground but he feels Charlotte press harder into him as one of the others edge closer to her and he forces himself to remain in control.

 

“How’s the wedding going?”

 

“Found a tux yet?”

 

“Isn’t it a little early for a mistress?”

 

The rapid fire questioning, the close quarters, Charlotte’s fear, its all getting to him, tensing his muscles and the anger swells. They need to get out of here. They aren’t too far from their destination but it is too far to walk with these bloodhounds on their trail and with the way Charlotte is clinging to him he knows she can’t take that. Calling the towncar would take too long. He wracks his brain for an answer…

 

“TAXI!” he shouts suddenly, dragging her closer to the curb, the arm that’s not around her flying into the air and mercifully one comes to a screeching halt in front of him. There is a God.

 

The cameras are still clicking brutally as Justin flings open the door and guides Charlotte inside. He folds himself in behind her, slamming the door shut and spitting directions at the driver who swerves back into traffic quickly. Justin leans back, filling his lungs with the rancid smell of the taxi and sighs it out again, pinching the bridge of his nose between his fingers. He finally looks over and finds Charlotte panting, her green eyes still wide with fear, her face pale.

 

“Hey,” he says, turning to her and without thinking he grips her face in his hands, forcing her to focus her eyes on his. “Are you okay?”

 

Her cheeks are warm against his frozen fingers, her skin soft and dry. Amelia’s was always waxy and coated in matte and creamy blush when he was actually allowed to touch her face. The tips of his fingers brush her earlobes and it is a little surprising not to meet the cold metal of earrings, no diamonds or platinum to accidentally tangle in. As she nods her hair bushes forward over the backs of his hands and it is soft, no hairspray or gel, just hair.

 

He is so caught up in his assessment that it is a shock when he feels her cold fingers wrap around his wrists, tugging his hands away and he immediately pulls back, putting several inches of sticky seat between them. She forces a smile at him although her eyes are still slightly panicked.

 

“I’m okay,” she breathes, her voice unstable but he can tell she’s beginning to calm down.

 

“First experience with the paparazzi?” he asks and she heaves a shaky sigh, an embarrassed smile pulling at her lips.

 

“Uh, yeah,” she chuckles, settling back against the seat, her body finally relaxing. “For some reason not a lot of people are interested in my picture. It might be because I’m not famous.” She sniggers to herself.

 

“I’m not really famous anymore,” Justin shrugs, biting back the remark that he’s just Amelia’s fiancé. But he can’t help himself. “That usually only happens when I’m with Amelia.”

 

“Seemed like you knew what you were doing,” she responds, taking deep breaths still, trying to calm her racing heart.

 

“Well…” Justin says shifting uncomfortably. “Yeah…it used to be that way…all the time,” he shakes his head. “It was probably just the tux,” he shrugs. “Everyone’s going ape shit over this fucking wedding. I’m really not that big a deal anymore.”

 

“Really?” Charlotte asks, her eyes cutting to him as she represses a smirk. “Coulda fooled me.”

 

“Maybe they were there for you,” Justin shrugs and then smirks adding “You are New York City’s leading weather man.” He grins cheekily and Charlotte narrows her eyes.

 

“You’re never gonna stop with the Al Roker jokes are you?” Charlotte asks rolling her eyes but a smile is fighting to break out over her face.

 

Justin chuckles. “Not likely.”

Chapter 9 pt II by SomethingBlue42

“Welcome to Fred’s,” a young boy of about twenty-two says as he sidles up to the small table Charlotte and Justin occupy in a quiet corner of the restaurant. “Can I get you all something to drink?”

 

Justin likes sitting in the corners at restaurants and it’s a rare occasion when he actually gets to. Amelia’s rather partial to the center. She likes to see everything and of course be seen. She wants to know who is where and who’s with who. He just likes to eat in peace.

 

“I’ll have a coke,” Charlotte says, smiling up at the waiter and then looking back down at her menu.

 

“Diet?” the waiter asks and Charlotte looks up blinking. Justin’s eyes narrow.

 

“Did she ask for diet?” Justin asks evenly, not even looking up from his menu but he can feel the waiter tense next to him.

 

“Um…no..I just-”

 

“Then she wants regular I would assume,” Justin looks up and smiles. “And I’ll have a Sprite.”

 

The waiter clears his throat, shifting as he jots this down on his notepad. “Yes, I’ll be right back. My name is Fred, if you need anything.”

 

“Fred!” Justin exclaims as the waiter turns to leave. “Now that’s ironic.”

 

Justin looks up at Charlotte to see if she’s amused and finds her peering at him curiously, her green eyes working over his face as if she were trying to solve a riddle. She looks down quickly when he cocks his head to the side in confusion.

 

“What?” he asks, picking up his menu again and surveying his options. His stomach rumbles.

 

“Nothing,” Charlotte says, her voice amused, biting her lip to hide her smile and he shifts in his chair.

 

“What?” he asks, his voice jumping an octave and she sighs looking up at him.

 

“Amelia did the same thing when we were at lunch,” Charlotte says, waving her hand dismissively and Justin’s brows furrow in confusion. “I ordered a coke at a restaurant and the waiter asked if I wanted diet and then she asked if I had said I wanted diet and…” Charlotte trails shaking her head. “Never mind I just thought it was amusing.”

 

“Very,” Justin responds dryly and Charlotte gives him a mocking smile just as the waiter reappears with their drinks.

 

“Are you ready to order?” he asks and Justin looks up at Charlotte who just stares at him, seemingly waiting.

 

“Would you like me to order for you?” Justin asks after a moment and Charlotte’s eyes widen.

 

“No, I… I was waiting for you,” she replies with a chuckle and Justin grins.

 

“Ladies first,” he says and Charlotte gives him a tight lipped smile before turning to the waiter.

 

“I’d like the spaghetti,” she says softly, closing her menu and the waiter jots it down nodding.

 

“Caesar or House salad with that?”

 

“Um Caesar,” Charlotte says and then she shifts. “But can I have French dressing on that…instead of the Caesar dressing?” The waiter nods and she smiles “Thanks.”

 

The corners of Justin’s lips twitch as he files this information away for questioning later. The waiter turns to him.

 

“And for you sir?”

 

“I’ll have the New York Strip Steak, medium rare please,” he says holding his menu out for him to take.

 

“And House or Caesar salad?”

 

“Caesar,” he replies and the waiter nods taking his menu and then Charlottes.

 

“I’ll have this right out for you.”

 

“Thanks Fred,” Justin says with a snigger, sighing as he runs his hands along the edge of the table. “So…Charlie…”

 

“Oh god,” Charlotte mutters, taking a sip of her soda and then smiling at him. He chuckles. “Is it gonna be twenty questions again today?”

 

“Maybe…” Justin replies, eyeing her. “What’s your least favorite part about working for Amelia?”

 

Charlotte’s face blanches, her eyes going wide and he grins. He can see the panic stretch across her face, see her throat move as she swallows hard. She looks down and stutters, her fingers playing with the hem of the table cloth.

 

“Um… I find… everything…agreeable,” she stutters, not meeting his eyes and he chuckles.

 

Just then her phone rings and she jumps, practically diving under the table to answer it and Justin bites back his laugh, watching her fumble to open it, tucking her hair behind her ear before answering.

 

“Hello?” she says and she tenses. “Hi Amelia,” she says, her eyes meeting Justin’s and he tenses as well. “Oh everything is going fine….Everyone’s been very helpful.” Charlotte nods, while shrugging at Justin and he smiles. “Yes he’s here…we’re at the restaurant now…Fred’s…What’d he get?” Charlotte look at him puzzled and he gives her a perplexed look. “He got a steak…medium rare…” Charlotte’s brow creases as she listens. “Um…I think it came with vegetables.”

 

Justin fights the urge to roll his eyes, leaning back in his chair and tuning out the rest of the conversation. Apparently he is now on a diet. Probably some kind of preparation for the wedding. She’d already called his personal trainer about upping his weight on his lifting days.

 

“Okay…I will…thanks Amelia…uh huh…buh bye.” Charlotte finishes, closing the phone and heaving a sigh as she sets the phone on the table next to her. “You wanna know the worst part of working for Amelia?” she asks and Justin looks at her, no longer in the mood.

 

“What?” he asks, trying to keep his voice pleasant.

 

“Keeping track of your every move,” she states simply and then grins smarmily at him and it’s enough to make him cough out a dry laugh despite himself.

 

“Working for me is so horrible?” he asks, leaning back in his chair and crossing his arms over his chest, surveying her as she takes another sip of her soda.

 

“Awful really,” she replies with a sigh. “I may just have to call in sick tomorrow.”

 

“That serious huh?” he chuckles and she grins, nodding.

 

The waiter comes with their salads, setting them in front of them and bowing out quietly, Justin calling a quick “thanks Fred” over his shoulder before chuckling to himself. Charlotte giggles as well this time and he grins, unfolding his silverware from his napkin, placing it in his lap as he picks up his salad fork. He is just about to dig in when he hears it.

 

“Damn,” Charlotte mumbles and he looks up, his fork poised over his salad dish as he watches her poke the lettuce with her fork. “They gave me Ceasar.”

 

Justin’s entire body tenses, as his eyes fall on the creamy white dressing drizzled over her salad and he swallows hard. His mind stutters as he searches for a solution, working over possible actions to mollify her displeasure. He could call back the waiter, get a new salad. How long would that take? Maybe he could try and talk her into just eating it. Or in the very least charm her into not eating it and not complaining. Possibly… He’s just about to open his mouth to speak when she shrugs.

 

“Oh well,” she mutters, digging her fork into the salad and bringing it to her mouth, chewing slowly, her nose wrinkling only slightly.

 

He cannot speak. Memories of temper tantrums and livid silences fill his mind, snotty comments and threats of no tip, abrupt departures proclaimed by bitter “come on Justin we’re leaving” followed by his whispered apologies as he chases after her. He is utterly dumbfounded. Charlotte looks up at him and her chewing slows to a stop, an uncomfortable look crossing her face and he realizes he’s staring at her slack jawed. He snaps his mouth shut.

 

“Wow,” he breathes, still reveling in this new turn of events.

 

“What?” she asks, slightly embarrassed now and he shakes his head.

 

“Amelia,” he smiles tensely and that’s all he has to say, Charlotte nodding in understanding.

 

“Life is hard enough without having to be so stressed all the time,” she replies with a wave of her hand and he feels his jaw drop again. He thinks he hears the Hallelujah Chorus playing somewhere.

 

“Thank you,” he says suddenly, vehemently and the force of it surprises even him.

 

Charlotte chuckles. “You’re welcome.” She forks more salad into her mouth, shaking her head at him.

 

“So…” he says, taking a bite of his own. “What is the worst part of working for Amelia?” Charlotte tenses, keeping her eyes on her bowl. “You can tell me,” he adds. “Nothing leaves this table.”

           

Charlotte eyes him for a moment and he tries to keep his face open and friendly. He doesn’t really care what her answer is and he would never tell Amelia. Not in a million years. He just wants her to trust him. It really isn’t so much what her answer is as that she tells him. She sighs.

 

“Well,” she shifts in her seat, eyeing him one more time before watching her fork shuffle her food across her bowl. “Probably the…the tantrums.”

 

Justin grins. “I’m familiar with those,” he replies evenly, forking more salad into his mouth and she heaves a sigh of relief at his response. “Is it more stressful than your last job?”

 

Her eyes jerk to his and she immediately looks away again. “Um…in ways, yes.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Well, Amelia is more…” she pauses looking up at him, her eyes holding his as she slowly says. “demanding.”

 

Justin nods grinning. “I’m very familiar with that.”

 

They both laugh and it’s almost conspiratorial. There’s something freeing about finding someone you can be honest with, not having to worry about it getting around to anyone else. They fall into an easy silence then, eating quietly and Justin marvels at this new feeling. Charlotte knows Amelia for what she is, sees her everyday, knows her like he knows her. She doesn’t balk when he asks her to be honest. And she’s something else he’d almost completely forgotten existed in the opposite sex. She’s laid-back, easy going, and unfettered by minor inconveniences. She is the anti-Amelia.

 

 The clink of glass on glass breaks him from his reverie and he looks up to find Charlotte pushing her plate forward and scooting back from the table.

 

“I’m just gonna hit the ladies room before our food comes,” she explains as she stands and Justin nods, holding his tie against his chest, half standing until she walks away.

 

He sighs settling back in his chair and he’s just taking the last bite of his salad when Charlotte’s phone lights up, a jaunty polka tune blaring from it. He cringes, reaching for it and flipping it open to silence it. He’s just putting it to his ear when he hears a booming male voice exclaim:

 

“Charlie Beth!!! Angel baby honey bun…”

 

***

 

Charlotte is walking back to the table when she hears Justin’s slow lazy laugh. She can’t help but smile at the sound. There’s just something about his laugh. Maybe because she doesn’t hear it too often. It rumbles low in his chest, before ending in a high cough, a sigh escaping his lips and she finds him instantly in the sea of white tables. He’s sitting back casually in his seat, elbow resting on the back of his chair as he chats on the phone. He laughs again and she smiles at him as she moves to take her seat, noticing that, even though the food had arrived, his dish was untouched. He’d waited for her. He grins at her mischievously and that’s when she realizes….he’s talking on her phone.

 

“That’s great, Dan,” he chuckles and Charlotte’s eyes nearly explode out of her skull.

 

“Is that my dad?” she asks in a panicked whisper and Justin furrows his brow, holding one finger up for silence.

 

“Okay…yeah sure I’ll tell her,” Justin says, grinning at her and she just looks on helplessly. “And don’t forget those pictures. I’m counting on those.” He pauses and she hears her father’s deep voice and then Justin laughs again. “Okay Dan, good talkin’ to ya… Uh huh…buh bye.” He flips the phone closed and holds it out to her. “You’re dad is hilarious.”

 

“What pictures?” Charlotte asks, snatching her phone back from him and he sniffs airily.

 

“Oh I told him I needed some baby pictures for this Christmas game we’re playing at the office,” he says and Charlotte’s jaw drops. “It was a lie but now that I think about it, it sounds kinda fun. So we may actually do it.”

 

“You…I…” Charlotte stutters, annoyance simmering in her but its not as strong as it usually would have been. It’s almost physically impossible to stay mad at Justin.

 

“He just wanted to know if you’d talked to your boss about your flight yet,” he says easily. “I told him your boss was an asshole but he’d try to get you a departure date as soon as possible.” He grins cheekily and Charlotte’s eyes narrow.

 

“You’re impossible,” Charlotte spats without any real conviction and he just grins at her.

 

“And you Charlie Beth are just going to have to put up with it,” he smirks, reaching for his steak knife and beginning to cut up his meat.

 

“Alright, alright,” Charlotte says her eyes narrowed in suspicion. “What information did you pump from him?” she asks, reaching for her own fork and he grins. “You know you should be ashamed of yourself. Tricking an old man like that.”

 

“I didn’t trick nothin’” Justin says, playful insolence lacing his words. “He didn’t tell me much. Said you were named Charlotte Elizabeth after your grandmother and you sucked your thumb until you were four.”

 

“I loathe you,” Charlotte scowls and he bursts out laughing.

 

“He also said,” Justin pauses to pop a piece of steak into his mouth, smirking at her as he chews. “that this job is way more demanding than your old one and you deserve a raise.”

 

Charlotte’s cheeks pinken. “Oh god.”

 

“I’ll talk to Amelia about it,” he says and Charlotte is just about to open her mouth to protest but he continues. “He said he couldn’t imagine why you chose this job over your last one.”

 

Charlotte tenses. Her dad the big mouth.

 

“Why’d you leave your old job anyway?” Justin asks, bringing his drink to his lips and Charlotte nearly drops her fork. “I mean Amelia told me you were at Gauge-Whitney…which is apparently a big deal or something,” he waves his hand dismissively.

 

Charlotte coughs a disbelieving laugh. “It’s one of the foremost financial firms in Manhattan.”

 

“Really?” Justin asks, raising his eyebrows. “Impressive. So why’d you quit?”

 

Charlotte shifts in her seat. “I had…reasons.”

 

“I’m sure you did,” Justin says nodding as he shovels more food into his mouth, “but none that Amelia can find.”

 

Charlotte’s fork stops halfway to her lips. “What?”

 

Justin nods at her. “Oh yeah,” he says as if she should know this already. “It’s driving her fucking crazy. She can’t figure it out. She’s called your bosses, colleagues,” he chuckles. “Hell I think she even contacted some of your old professors.”

 

Charlotte’s jaw drops and an uncomfortable feeling washes over her. Amelia had been checking up on her? Then again had she really expected any less? How many times had she made phone calls to various managers and producers to check on the A&R guys working under Amelia? Too many to count.

 

“So why’d you quit?” Justin asks easily, forking more food into his mouth, his eyes trained on her and she shifts in her seat. His chewing slows when he takes in the uncomfortable look on her face. “You did quit right? You did because Amelia would have known. All your supervisors had great things to say about you… or so she said.”

 

“Yeah I didn’t have any problems with my boss,” Charlotte says, shaking her head and Justin’s eyes tighten as he regards her curiously.

 

They’re quiet for a moment and she contemplates telling him. What’s the worst that could happen? He thinks she’s an idiot. Well, he wouldn’t be the first. He’s not looking at her anymore, content to let her keep her secret and she smiles. He doesn’t push. She likes that.

 

“I didn’t like it,” she says suddenly and it surprises even herself. He looks up at her bewildered. “My job. I quit because I didn’t like it.” Charlotte sighs and it all just pours out. “I left a seventy-five thousand dollar a year job because I didn’t like it. Benefits…retirement plan…” Charlotte’s breathing hitches. “I didn’t like it.”

 

There’s a pause. “Why?” Justin asks and now it’s Charlotte’s turn to be shocked. She doesn’t speak. “Charlotte?” he says after a moment and she shakes her head.

 

“Sorry…no one,” she pauses chuckling to herself. “No one has every asked me that before.”

 

Justin’s eyebrows race to his hairline. “Really?”

 

“Yeah,” she breathes, her eyes falling to her nearly empty soda glass, “I was just…unhappy I guess. It wasn’t…wasn’t what I wanted.” She shakes her cup, the ice cubes tinkling against the glass. “So I quit.”

 

The waiter comes then, asking if they need anything, replacing Charlotte’s empty glass with a fresh one and scurries away quickly. The silence left in his wake is daunting and Charlotte finds she cannot raise her eyes.

 

“Wow,” he states simply and she looks up from her glass, expecting to see a look of disappointment, maybe confusion.

 

She is somewhat surprised when she finds neither. Quite the contrary, he actually looks impressed.

 

“I…I know it’s kinda weird,” Charlotte says, still a little worried by his less than standard reaction.

 

“No!” Justin exclaims, a wide grin pulling across his face. “No, I think it’s great! You know what you want.”

 

“Actually, that’s the thing,” Charlotte replies sheepishly. “I don’t…”

 

As she says this it’s as if a large weight has been lifted off her chest. To say the words out loud, to not keep them trapped inside her head where they just bounced around and amplify with each knock against her skull was strangely liberating. She smiles somewhat giddily.

 

“Well you know what you don’t want,” Justin says, keeping his eyes on her as he shovels some mashed potatoes into his mouth, swallowing before adding. “Which is just as important.” He pauses, reaching for his drink. “Maybe more.”

 

Charlotte hums in thought. She pauses, debating before saying, “Look…” she pauses again, unsure.

 

Justin brings his glass from his lips, looking at her curiously. Charlotte cringes.

 

“Don’t…don’t tell Amelia,” she says softly, fighting the blush that is creeping up her neck.

 

Justin blinks at her and then chuckles, sitting his glass down, shoulders tensing. That’s when Charlotte realizes she not only just asked him to keep a secret from her boss, but from his fiancé as well. She scrambles to explain.

 

“It’s just because I don’t think she would understand is all,” Charlotte says quickly and Justin holds up a hand, halting her words.

 

“You’re secret is safe with me,” he says and Charlotte heaves a sigh of relief. He grins. “Besides it’s too much fun watching Amelia try to figure it out. You know I think she’s about ready to hire a detective.”

 

Charlotte blanches. “She wouldn’t, would she?” That’s all she needs is for Amelia to start prodding deeper into her personal life.

 

“Nah,” Justin says waving his hand dismissively. “It’ll just drive her bonkers,” he grins, “She’ll never figure it out.” He seems almost gleeful at the thought.

 

“You think not?” Charlotte asks, bringing her soda to her lips and cringes. What is it with this city and diet soda?

 

“Nah, it’s too whimsical for her,” Justin says sighing. “Amelia is nothing if not practical,” he adds bitterly.

 

Charlotte nods in silent concession and picks up her fork, going back to her food. She feels almost naked now, her biggest secret laid out between them. She trusts that he won’t tell. He said he wouldn’t and his word is enough but still, she knows next to nothing about him.

 

 “Since....” she starts and he looks up at her, fork halfway to his mouth. “Since you know all about me now…” Charlotte smiles. “Can I ask you some questions?”

 

Justin tenses, his face pulling into a guarded expression. “Um…sure…yeah okay.” He chuckles, shifting slightly in his chair in nervous anticipation, wondering what she’s got up her sleeve.

 

Charlotte thinks for a moment, her eyes squinting as she picks her question. “What’s your favorite flavor of ice cream?”

 

He blinks at her, slightly shocked. “You wanna know what ice cream I like?”

 

Charlotte shrugs. “Yeah, why not?”

 

“Um…I dunno…it just seems so…” he pauses looking around, “innocuous.”

 

He chuckles, shaking his head as he pushes his food around on his plate for a moment before looking up at her. His face is smooth and reveals nothing of his thoughts or feelings. Charlotte almost wonders if he’s going to answer. He sighs then, almost as if in relief, relief that someone even wants to know something so trivial and he smiles, practically lighting up the entire room as he responds:

 

“I like vanilla.”

Chapter 10 by SomethingBlue42
Author's Notes:

Holy Crap moving in to my dorm was re-goddamn-diculous. And the internet went down my second night. Oh what a way to start off the quarter. But enough of my woes. Onto the story!

 

“Good morning, Ka-”

 

Charlotte stops short, poised to hang her coat on the rack by the door when she finds the front desk unoccupied. Her brow furrows as she looks around, confused. Kaitie is always there before her, a fact that Kaitie takes pride in and often points out in front of Amelia. She shrugs settling her coat on a hook; maybe she was running late. Kaitie was, contrary to popular belief, human and was just as likely to hit the snooze button as she herself was. Still Charlotte found it slightly odd to be here alone. Especially with all the preparations that had to be done before Amelia left for Memphis in three days.

 

Charlotte had been overjoyed to learn that Amelia and Justin would be leaving the city for Christmas. This meant that she could go home as well and even though she’d known for several weeks that their destination was Justin’s hometown she didn’t dare to hope too much. Amelia was known to change her mind and Charlotte was sure that Christmas in Tennessee didn’t exactly seem like her scene, the south of France maybe, but the American South, never. She had a hard time picturing Amelia in the country, but it was amusing to think about on slow days when all she was doing was answering the phone.

 

Amelia did little to conceal her disdain for going to see her future in-laws for the holidays whereas Justin seemed overjoyed to be going home. Charlotte still saw him nearly every day, running things back and forth between him and Amelia and of course he called her every morning for the weather report as became their ritual once she’d been relieved of her temporary duties as his assistant. The closer the departure date came the happier he seemed, thrilled to be leaving the city, to see his best friend Trace, and, much to Charlotte’s pleasant surprise, to see his mother. When he talked about finally being home again his face was priceless, much like Charlotte’s own face (or so she imagined) when she thought about going home.

 

In two days she was getting on a plane and leaving this godforsaken city for Pittsburgh where her intolerable older brother would pick her up in his not-squad car as promised numerous times by her father where he would probably frisk her in front of everyone at the baggage claim. But she could deal with that because as awful as Isaac was she missed his stupid practical jokes. She missed Paul’s constant whining about how he always got stuck in the rickety chair at dinner. She missed her dad’s booming laugh and her mother’s soft voice warbling only slightly off key as she made dinner. She couldn’t wait to be home.

 

Charlotte shakes her head and takes a few steps into the office, noticing for the first time that Amelia’s office door is open. She stops in her tracks, her stomach suddenly tightening and her mind beginning to race. What if someone was here? What if Kaitie was tied up somewhere and Charlotte would be the next victim? She should step out and go down to security, call the office, see if someone answers. This is the safe thing to do.

 

Just then her cell phone rings, the loud jaunty polka muted from inside of her purse but it’s still loud enough to wake the dead. She scrambles to answer it, her hands trembling and now she’s for sure found out. She hopes this murderer is quick…or at least not a rapist.

 

“Hello?” she asks, her voice trembling slightly as she eyes the open door to Amelia’s office, trying to discern any movement from inside.

 

“Hey Al! Should I wear my waterproof parka today or just the regular one?” Justin asks jovially and Charlotte cringes.

 

“I…I don’t know…” she replies and it’s quiet on the other line for a second.

 

“You okay? You sound freaked,” he says, his voice slightly concerned and Charlotte swallows hard.

 

“Um…I…I got here,” Charlotte whispers, backing slowly towards the door, reaching for the handle. “And…Kaitie isn’t here…and Amelia’s office door is open…and…” she trails, trying to turn the doorknob slowly so it won’t make a sound.

 

“Get out of there,” Justin says sternly and she can imagine him standing from his desk. “Go downstairs. I’ll be there in ten minutes….Charlotte?”

 

She doesn’t respond because a shadow has fallen across the floor of Amelia’s office and she’s frozen in her spot, one hand on the door, the other clutching the phone where Justin is shouting her name, his voice slightly panicked. She feels like she should scream but her vocal chords aren’t working at the moment.

 

Her stomach drops to her toes when she sees Amelia peer around the doorframe and she heaves a shaky sigh of relief. Justin is still prattling frantically in her ear and she swallows hard.

 

“It’s okay…JUSTIN…it’s okay. It was just Amelia,” Charlotte says, chuckling slightly at herself and her over reaction.

 

The line is silent for a moment. “God, get out while you still can!” he yells suddenly, his voice cracking in the middle and Charlotte bursts out laughing and so does he.

 

“Oh god is that Justin,” Amelia says rolling her eyes and disappearing back into her office.

 

“I have to go,” Charlotte says.

 

“Yeah, yeah so I’ll just stay in the dark about the parka…you go be mass murdered. Have fun,” Justin replies sarcastically and Charlotte sniggers.

 

“Good BYE Justin,” she says pointedly before flipping her phone shut and slipping it back into her purse.

 

She sighs, shaking her head as she drops her purse behind the front desk and goes about doing the morning routine. She moves to start the coffee pot but finds it’s already been done. She leans over, peering inside Amelia’s office and finds her at her desk, her mug at her elbow as she browses the mail. The newspapers and magazines are already on her desk as well. Charlotte’s face crumples in confusion. There is no way Amelia did all these things herself.

 

“Charlotte, get me the RIAA fax from yesterday,” Amelia calls with a sigh and Charlotte shuffles to the filing cabinet, locating the proper document before scurrying into Amelia’s office.

 

She hands her the paper, pausing when she sees the time on the clock on the bookshelf. Kaitie is really late. That wasn’t like her. Maybe she was attacked on her way to work. Charlotte shakes her head. What is wrong with her today?

 

“Was there something you needed?” Amelia asks, her voice slightly annoyed and Charlotte realizes she’s been standing next to her for longer than was customary.

 

“Oh, no,” Charlotte says, shaking her head. “I was just wondering where Kaitie was. She’s usually here by now…I didn’t know if we should be worried or not.”

 

Amelia snorts. “Kaitie is no longer employed here.”

 

Charlotte’s jaw drops. She scans Amelia’s perfect face for any sign of regret but finds only smugness and slight annoyance, which only means one thing. Kaitie didn’t quit. She was fired. But why, Charlotte wonders. She thought for sure that she herself would be let go before Kaitie. Kaitie was so…perfect. She was always impeccably dressed, not a hair out of place. She catered to Amelia’s every whim, agreeing with her no matter what the topic.

 

“Why?” Charlotte finds herself asking before she can stop the word from falling out of her mouth and Amelia doesn’t even look up as a wicked smile tugs at her lips.

 

“I had to let her go,” Amelia sighs in what is supposed to be a sound of sadness but underneath there is unadulterated glee. She brings her eyes up, locking them on Charlotte’s as she continues. “I don’t tolerate leaks.”

 

Every word is carefully pronounced, underscoring her point perfectly and Charlotte almost trembles under the weight of her stare. Amelia turns back to her paperwork and Charlotte blinks a few times, trying to unstick her feet from the floor. She nods mutely, whether Amelia sees or not she isn’t sure, and turns to leave.

 

“You remember my first wedding gown?” Amelia asks airily and Charlotte stops in her tracks turning to face the desk again. Amelia is still flipping through documents, seemingly unfettered by anything.

 

Charlotte blinks. “Yes,” she says and then because she doesn’t know where this is going she adds, “It was lovely.”

 

“Kaitie went with me for my fitting,” Amelia says, jotting down a few notes and turning a page. “You remember, it was one of your first days working for me. Three days later ten thousand dollars cleared her bank account from Wenner Media. Do you know what Wenner Media’s main avenue of business is?”

 

Charlotte cannot speak to answer. Not so much from the shock of what Amelia said but from that fact that she had access to Kaitie’s bank records. Was there nothing Amelia couldn’t get her hands on?

 

“Magazine publication,” Amelia replies, leaning back in her chair and threading her fingers over her flat stomach. “They print Rolling Stone, Men’s Health,” she pauses, her eyes boring into Charlotte’s, “and Us Weekly.

 

“I’ve had my suspicions for a while,” Amelia sighs, reaching for a stack of papers on her desk. “And then when you and Justin were ambushed by the paparazzi a few weeks ago another ten grand appeared in her account, this time from TMZ.” She sighs shaking her head. “I knew something had to be done. I let her go this morning.”

 

“I’m so sorry,” Charlotte says softly, not really sure what to say in the situation because frankly it was like something out of a soap opera. Ten thousand dollars for a picture of a wedding dress, for the whereabouts of a former pop star and his assistant? It seemed so ridiculous.

 

“No matter,” Amelia says waving her hand. “It just means that you’ll have to take over for a while.”

 

Charlotte’s face blanches. She’ll have to take over? How could she possibly do more than she was? Between answering phones, ferrying documents here and there, accompanying Amelia on business lunches, meetings, and power-shopping hours she couldn’t fathom running all her menial errands as well.

 

“And of course you’ll need to screen for a new assistant,” Amelia adds and Charlotte fights the urge to throw her hands in the air. “I’m thinking of hiring two actually, one strictly to answer the phones and then another to be my second assistant. You will of course be promoted to first. Justin had said something about you wanting a raise.”

 

“I never said that,” Charlotte says quickly and Amelia looks up raising an eyebrow.

 

“Well, I hope you’re not too disappointed when you get your check then,” she replies sarcastically and Charlotte flushes.

 

“Thank you, Amelia,” she says forcing an uncomfortable smile.

 

“The temp agency is sending a few girls here later,” Amelia replies looking back down at the papers in front of her and then adds, “I want at least one position filled before I leave for Memphis.” She spits the last word as if it was vile and she could barely stand to have it on her tongue for even an instant.

 

Charlotte cringes. “Um, okay but…” she trails when Amelia looks up at her, her blue eyes boring holes into her. Charlotte swallows hard. “My…my flight leaves Thursday at five. I’ll do my best to-”

 

Charlotte is cut off by Amelia’s tinkling laughter. “Charlotte, dear,” she clears her throat as if she expected not to have to be telling Charlotte this. “You’re flight leaves Friday morning at 9. Because my flight leaves Friday morning at nine.”

 

Charlotte’s face falls, her stomach curling painfully. “Wh-what?”

 

 “Since Kaitie is no longer with us that only leaves you. A town car will pick you up at seven.” She looks down and then looks up at her, her face pulled into a grimace. “You still live in the Bronx right?” She almost shudders.

 

“But…” Charlotte starts and Amelia raises an eyebrow. “But…I was…my family…”

 

“Will understand,” Amelia says flippantly, and Charlotte nods solemnly, clenching her teeth as she turns to leave. “Oh Charlotte…”

 

She turns to face her boss, forcing the tears from her eyes and gritting out a tight smile. She would not cry. She would not cry. She would not cry…

 

“This needs to go to Justin,” she says, handing Charlotte a thick magazine from the corner of her desk. “I’ve put post-it notes on the pages of arrangements I like. Yellow is definite, blue is maybe, and green is for maybe, maybe not.”

 

Charlotte takes it from her and turns, Amelia muttering not so much as a thank you in her wake. No Christmas in Cannonsburg. No fake arrest at the baggage claim. No fighting over seats at dinner. No family viewing of It’s A Wonderful Life. She crushes the magazine to her chest as she leaves the office, not even bothering with her coat. She’s holding onto the booklet for dear life, her fingers wrapping tightly around the edges, crumpling Amelia’s little post-it note flags and she doesn’t care.  She’s beyond caring at this point.

 

The ride to Justin’s office is quick, much quicker than she would have liked. She was hoping to be stuck in traffic for a while, just leaning her head back against the cool leather seat of the town car, mourning her lost family Christmas. She had hoped for at least enough time to effectively swallow the lump in her throat but New York City traffic was not on her side this morning. She made it to Justin’s office in a little under ten minutes.

 

She takes the elevator up to his office, trying to mentally prepare herself. She is not in the mood for his jokes right now. As childish as it is, she blames him. Blames him for asking this horrible woman to marry him, for being famous and attracting enough attention that someone would pay an assistant ten thousand dollars for the inside scoop on his life.

 

She knows it’s childish and she knows it’s irrational. But all she wanted was to go home for Christmas, to see her family. She shakes her head, stepping off of the elevator and opening the door to Justin’s offices. Of course Felicity is nowhere to be found as she steps inside. She sighs, her annoyance reaching its boiling point as she knocks quickly on Justin’s door, not even waiting for a response before pushing it open.

 

The magazine nearly slips from her fingers as she sees Justin leaning casually against the front of his desk, his jacket discarded on a nearby chair, with Patti standing close in front of him, her sky high heels planted on either side of his ankles as her hands work on the tie at his throat. Patti turns suddenly, probably at the sound of Charlotte’s gasp and Justin peers over her shoulder, his eyes widening as he sees Charlotte standing stock still in the doorway. They bolt apart like opposing sides of a magnet, putting five feet between them, Patti smoothing her hair back from her temple, Justin running his hands down the front of his slacks. Charlotte looks at the floor.

 

“I-I-I’m sorry,” she stutters, her stomach twisting in knots as she shifts from foot to foot awkwardly.

 

“No problem,” Patti says, her voice somewhat manic as she stumbles over her own feet in her haste to get to the door. “The tie looks good, Justin. And think about that seating arrangement.”

 

“Thanks,” he says, smoothing it down his chest, clearing his throat and scratching his ear nervously. “I will.”

 

“Charlotte,” Patti says by way of greeting and goodbye as she brushes past her and Charlotte merely nods in response, feet rooted to the floor.

 

The sound of the front office door closing sounds like a cannon in the near silent room. Charlotte refuses to look at Justin, refuses to meet his eyes. So Amelia was right. In that moment she hates all of them. Hates Amelia for being such a fucking bitch, for thinking so little of him. Hates Justin for not rising above it, for fucking anything in a short skirt. She thought she knew him. Disappointment tastes bitter in her mouth.

 

“You got something for me?” Justin asks, his tone jovial and it almost hurts her ears.

 

A punch in the mouth. “A magazine from Amelia,” she takes a cautious step forward as he moves around his desk, flopping back in his chair as she hands it to him.

 

“Martha Stuart Living?” Justin asks in mock interest. He gasps. “The floral issue. Oh Charlie you shouldn’t have. It’s too much!” He grins. Charlotte forces a bitter smile back at him. His brow furrows. “Why the long face, Al? Your Doppler radar machine broken?”

 

You’re playing into Amelia’s evil plan by fucking the bimbo wedding planner, you utter moron. “Amelia fired Kaitie,” and she can’t help adding bitterly, “but I’m sure you knew that.”

 

Justin’s frown deepens. “No… no I didn’t know that,” he drops the magazine onto his desk and leans back in his chair, crossing his arms over his chest. “She tell you why?”

 

“Apparently she sold Amelia’s first wedding dress to some magazine and then she told those photographers where to find you when you were getting your tux fitted-”

 

“Are you fucking serious?” he asks, and Charlotte looks up to find his face a hard mask of anger. “God I didn’t think she was like that,” he mutters to himself and Charlotte can’t help but wonder if he’s been banging Kaitie too.

 

“Yes, it’s just tragic,” Charlotte replies, barely masking the sarcasm in her voice and she looks at Justin to find him confused by her tone. He almost looks hurt but she’s sure it’s just her imagination.

 

“You okay?” he asks carefully, his eyes cautious and he has that look on is face that he gets when he’s trying to gauge Amelia’s mood.

 

“I’m fine,” Charlotte says, forcing what she hopes is a brilliant smile and his eyebrows raise, unfooled.

 

“You’re not fine Charlotte,” he says, his voice gentle and she sighs, falling into a chair across from him.

 

“I’ve been promoted,” she says, her voice dull and Justin grins.

 

“Don’t sound too excited there kiddo,” he teases and Charlotte’s eyes well suddenly.

 

The memory hits her quickly and she’s in the middle of her front yard, the sky a hazy gray above her. She’s four years old, sitting on the sidewalk, clutching her baby doll to her chest, wide eyes looking up at the sky. A drop falls directly into her eye, stinging and she snaps them shut, tilting her chin down and shaking her head. She presses her fingers to her doll’s lids, forcing them down but they won’t stay, fluttering open, in danger of being attacked by the droplets as well. And then she hears it as clear as if it were just yesterday. “Come on kiddo, it’s starting to rain.”

 

Her dad always called her kiddo. She doesn’t speak, locking her jaw tight, not trusting herself to even blink. She stares at her hands in her lap, her knuckles blurred as she fights the tears. She will not cry. She will not cry. She will not cry.

 

“Hey,” Justin says softly, and she can hear him standing from his chair. He can’t come near her. She doesn’t want him near her. The cheating lying bastard.

 

He kneels beside her chair and she can feel his hand resting on the arm. She crosses her arms, keeping away from his touch. He doesn’t reach out to her. She hears him clear his throat and feels him shift next to her.

 

“What’s wrong?” he asks, his voice tender and she shakes her head. She cannot speak. She will not cry. “Okay… well…you were promoted. Congratulations!” he exclaims and she snorts, an unwilling laugh pulling from her throat. He continues, encouraged. “Now that Kaitie’s gone you’ve got the run of the office. Seniority. Hey, you’ll have minions you can boss around! That’ll be fun!” She laughs again, despite herself. Damn him. He continues. “And you’ll be Amelia’s right hand man…er woman…wait that’s not exactly a perk…” he trails and she finally chances a glance at him, finding his face pulled into a look of revelation, his mouth forming a silent “oh” of understanding. “You have to go to Memphis with us.”

 

Charlotte nods, looking down at her hands again, squeezing her finger tight as the well of emotion pushes behind her eyes again. She inhales a shaky breath and she hears Justin make a small sound of pity in his throat, his hand moving to rest on her shoulder sympathetically. She tenses and he moves it immediately.

 

“Look, I’ll talk to Amelia okay,” he says softly and she chances a look at him. He gives her a small smile of encouragement. “She doesn’t need an assistant out there anyway.”

 

Charlotte nods, sniffing as softly as possible, her cheeks reddening at the show of emotion. He leans forward, snatching a tissue from the box on his desk and offers it to her. She takes it, smiling still slightly embarrassed as she wipes her nose. He pats her shoulder again before standing and moving back around his desk, reaching for the magazine, leafing through it with a sigh.

 

“Flowers huh?” he asks, looking utterly bored as he flips through the pages.

 

“Hard hitting journalism right there,” Charlotte quips, balling up her tissue and dropping it in the trash can next to his desk. Justin chuckles before heaving a sigh. “I…I better get back,” she says after a moment, hauling herself out of the chair. “I have applicants to screen.”

 

Justin sniggers. “Good luck with that,” he says dryly. “And congratulations on the promotion.”

 

“Thanks,” Charlotte replies with a sigh, moving towards the door.

 

“Oh, Charlotte,” he says and she stops, turning to find him looking at her uncertainly. “You…you know that…that nothing was going on…with Patti earlier.” He straightens his tie nervously.

 

Charlotte blushes furiously. “Um…yeah! Yeah, of course. Mum’s the word.” She grits her teeth. You utter bastard.

 

“Well, thanks,” he says, chuckling slightly. “It doesn’t really matter.” Then his face turns serious. “But really…she was just straightening my tie. You believe me…” his eyes search her face uncertainly. “right?”

 

“Of course,” Charlotte replies, forcing a smile and he returns it uneasily, leaning back in his chair and opening the magazine again. She turns to leave, cursing him silently.

 

“Oh Charlie,” he calls and she turns again with a sigh, eyeing him in a way that she hopes doesn’t show how irritated she actually is. He holds up the magazine. “What do the post-its mean?”

 

“Oh the greens are definites, blues are maybes, and yellows are the maybe, maybe nots,” she says in a fit of childish hostility. Let’s see how Amelia takes to him liking all the ones she really didn’t care for. Serves him right the bastard.

 

“Thanks Charlie,” he says with a sigh examining the open page carefully. “And don’t worry about Christmas. I have it completely under control.”

 

***

 

“Charlotte do you have my small bag? I didn’t see it on the cart – No we’ll be gone for a week…yes I understand that you’re new but how hard is it to locate the proper file. Look under R…for Rolling Stone,” Amelia sighs, switching her phone to her other ear and looking back over her shoulder, finding Charlotte struggling to pull her suitcase as well as carry two of Amelia’s.

 

“Here lemme help you,” Justin says, falling back to stand next to her, shouldering one of Amelia’s carry-ons over his own and Charlotte sighs. He lowers his voice. “I’m really sorry. I tried-”

 

“Don’t worry about it,” Charlotte says quickly, switching her tote bag to her now free shoulder and sighing, beginning to walk again.

 

It was true he’d done everything he possibly could have to get Amelia to let her go. Offered to bring Felicity instead, sent her flowers, even had her mother talk to Amelia about it but she would not budge. His fervor for the task had worn Charlotte down to the point where she wasn’t even really mad at him anymore. Especially when as a last resort and in a harrowing display of masculinity he threw the biggest fit Charlotte had ever seen from a man. He rivaled Amelia which was really saying something. Then again he had learned from the best.

 

“Will you two hurry up, we’re going to be late,” Amelia says from down the hallway, slipping her phone in her purse.

 

“Honey, it’s a private flight. I doubt they’re gonna leave without us,” Justin replies and Amelia just glares at him, crossing her arms over her chest as she waits.

 

Charlotte can’t help but marvel at her, standing tall in four inch heels, her charcoal pencil skirt hugging her thighs perfectly. Her pale pink sweater accentuates the rose of her cheeks and the soft pout of her lips, her butter cream blond hair tied back in a chic bun. Even Justin next to her looks dashing in pressed khakis and a soft, cotton polo. Charlotte feels horribly inadequate in her sweatpants and hooded sweatshirt.

 

“We have a scheduled flight time,” Amelia responds as they approach and Charlotte looks around, wondering exactly what they’re doing.

 

“The guy isn’t even here yet,” Justin replies, stifling a yawn and reaching down to adjust himself in his khakis as discreetly as possible.

 

“Quit that,” Amelia whispers slapping his arm and he rolls his eyes, hiking the bags higher on his shoulder.

 

“Why are we leaving so early again?” Justin asks, yawning again into the back of his hand, finally letting the bags slip to the floor, rolling his neck on his shoulders.

 

“What…” Amelia begins and Charlotte looks over at her when she doesn’t continue, finding Amelia eyeing her bag, her nose wrinkled in disgust. “What on earth is that?”

 

Charlotte glances down at the black canvas tote on her shoulder and then glances back at Amelia who has stepped forward to run her finger along the green stitching of her name, Charlotte Elizabeth, between where the handles were attached. Charlotte swallows hard.

 

“Is this…is this your purse?” Amelia asks, gripping the sides and stretching the fabric tight. She lets go and rubs her fingers together as if the canvas came off on her hands, sullying her perfect skin.

 

“That’s cute,” Justin says, nodding. “Does it say ‘Al’ on the other side?”

 

“My…my mom made it for me,” Charlotte says, her cheeks pinkening when Amelia’s eyebrows rush to her hairline. “She stitched the lettering I mean. She sent my Christmas presents early…so I’d have them for the trip.”

 

“That’s….sweet,” Amelia says, forcing a smile and Charlotte wishes the floor would swallow her whole.

 

“Yeah cool,” Justin says, running his fingers along the stitching, and Charlotte can tell he actually means it. “Does she sew golf bags? I want my name on my golf bag. Or…” His eyes light up, bouncing on the balls of his feet excitedly. “Or…Golf God.” He sweeps his arm out in front of him as if seeing it in front of his very eyes, sighing whimsically.

 

Charlotte laughs and Amelia looks at him as if he was insane, shaking her head. Justin grins at both of them, throwing his arms around their necks and Charlotte tenses, Amelia groaning and trying to wriggle away from him. He kisses Amelia’s forehead hard, giving them both a squeeze before letting go and picking up the bags again. Amelia narrows her eyes at him, rubbing her forehead before sighing and patting his shoulder affectionately.

 

“Hey look our escort!” he says as a short, harassed looking man hurries up to them. “Hey Tom how ya doin?”

 

“Sorry for the wait,” he says, chancing a quick glance at Amelia. “If you’ll just follow me?”

 

They follow him down a hallway and through a door and Charlotte tenses as the bitter December wind blows right through her sweatshirt, the empty plain of the tarmac doing little to shield the blustery air. They’re walking quickly towards a small plane, the engine humming louder and louder as they approach. Amelia climbs the stairs, quickly disappearing inside and Justin after her. Charlotte follows and nearly gasps at the sight of what looks like a mix between a board room and a living room, a large meeting table with six leather chairs surrounding it directly in front of her and then a little ways behind it a small living area with a large leather couch and chair, a massive flat screen TV on the far wall. Amelia settles at the large table, pulling her computer and portfolio planner out of her bag.

 

“You’re gonna work?” Justin asks dropping his bag next to the table and plopping down in a seat beside her.

 

“Yes, Justin, I have a lot to do. We’re short handed at the office as you well know,” Amelia says with a sigh and Justin nods.

 

“Hey Charlie flick on the TV will ya,” he asks as Charlotte shuffles past them. “See if there’s a game on.”

 

“What kind of game?” Charlotte asks dropping her bags with a thud next to the large leather armchair, looking around for the remote.

 

“I dunno. As long as it’s a sport I don’t care,” he grins and Charlotte shakes her head, finding the remote and flicking the TV on.

 

“SportsCenter?” Charlotte asks scrolling through the menu.

 

“Perfect,” he says, squinting at the television as Charlotte falls into the large chair, her body sinking in comfortably.

 

They’re quiet for a moment, listening to the announcers talk in animated voices on the television. The plane jerks into motion and Charlotte tenses, feeling the jet taxi along the runway. Taking off always makes her nervous, the jostle and force with which an airplane hurled itself down a runway and that moment in which the wheels leave the tarmac and they’re launched into the air curling her stomach. She doesn’t unclench her hands until they’re safely coasting at 28,000 feet.

 

“I looked at those flowers,” Justin says, tugging the magazine out of his bag and Charlotte tenses. “I really liked the ones on page twenty-four.”

 

“Um…Justin?” she says quietly but Amelia is already looking at the page he has open to her.

 

She wrinkles her nose. “You like those?”

 

“Yeah,” Justin beams, looking very pleased with the fact the he liked the same thing as Amelia for once.

 

“I don’t know,” Amelia says, flicking through the pages and opening it to another page. “You don’t like this one?”

 

“You don’t like that one.” Justin states, eyeing her confused and Amelia blinks at him. “It has a yellow post-it.”

 

Amelia rolls her eyes. “The yellow post-its are the ones I like. The green post-its are the one’s I don’t like. Honestly, Justin…” she sighs and then glances at Charlotte. “Didn’t Charlotte tell you that?”

 

Justin glances over at Charlotte and her eyes meet his briefly, feeling as if the guilt was going to eat her alive. He just looks at her for a moment before giving a slight nod of his head, his face revealing nothing.

 

“Yeah,” he says turning back to Amelia. “I must have gotten it mixed up…”

 

Amelia scoffs, rolling her eyes again. Charlotte’s nails bite into her palms as she waits for her to berate him but it doesn’t come. She tells herself that if Amelia had thrown a fit she would have confessed. But this does little to quell her guilt.

 

“I’m so glad we’re doing this,” Justin says and Charlotte looks over to find him watching Amelia, a pleasant expression on his face. Amelia hums, unlistening. “It’s been too long since I’ve been home.”

 

Amelia hums a response.

 

“You know I haven’t even seen Rachel’s baby yet!” Justin exclaims with a sigh. “The kid’s already nine months old! And Trace has some new sketches for the Spring line he says are just amazing.”

 

“That’s nice dear,” Amelia mutters, leaning down to search in her bag.

 

“God I can't wait to see my granny....we're gonna have peach cobbler and blackberry pie and apple crumb cake-”

 

Amelia snorts as she rights herself again, muttering “- and a heart attack.”

 

Justin grins gleefully. “Guh it’s gonna be great.”

 

“Yes, great,” Amelia replies with no enthusiasm whatsoever.

 

“Hey we should stop at the General Store on the way back. Get a burger or-”

 

“Justin!” Amelia says finally, sighing and looking at him perturbed. “I’m trying to work.”

 

He frowns. “Sorry,” he mumbles and sighs as he pulls himself from the chair and trudges over to the couch, stretching his lanky frame across it.

 

He squirms, trying to get comfortable, toeing off his sneakers, wiggling his socked toes. He peeks over the back of the couch finding Amelia immersed in paperwork, not paying him any attention. He reaches down, untucking his polo and stretching languidly, sighing contentedly as he relaxes completely. His eyes focus on the television, his arms dangling over his head and he yawns.

 

“Justin,” Charlotte says softly, glancing to make sure Amelia isn’t listening and he glances briefly at her before turning back to the television. “I… I’m sorry…about the-”

 

“Everyone makes mistakes,” he says shrugging his shoulders unaffectedly and it only makes her feel worse.

 

“No…really I-”

 

“Hey,” he says, looking at her and his eyes hold hers as much as she wishes she could look away she can’t. “It’s not a big deal.” He lowers his voice. “I’m not her. I’m not upset.”

 

He smiles at her and nods and she knows he’s telling the truth. He doesn’t think she did it on purpose, just that it was a slip of her overworked mind. He knows she wouldn’t do something like that. She feels as if she could be sick.

 

“It won’t happen again,” she says and she means it. She needs to say it even if he doesn’t fully understand.

 

He shrugs. “You ever been to Tennessee, Charlie?” Justin asks lazily and Charlotte glances at him, finding his eyes heavy as he watches the television.

 

“Nope,” she says, smiling at the way he looks just like a little kid trying to stay awake before nap time. “First time.”

 

He grins lazily. “Don’t worry we’ll be gentle.”

Chapter 11 by SomethingBlue42

“Brake!” Amelia’s voice is manic as Justin maneuvers the sleek white Mercedes around a sharp curve, the car jostling over bumps in the backcountry road.

 

And so it starts…

 

Charlotte slides a little farther down on the leather seats, turning towards the window. The landscape is a mix of brown and white, barren trees and brittle glass all covered in a thin dusting of snow, the sky a steely gray color. Amelia sits in the front passenger seat as Justin drives, giving him pointers until finally as they were turning onto highway 51 he mentioned that she didn’t even have a driver’s license and she had sat in stony silence for the past fifteen minutes. That is until they left the highway and were traveling down back roads.

 

“Babe,” Justin says laughing, joy radiating off him like an aura as he takes another curve, zipping around it and causing Amelia to grip her seat tightly. “I learned how to drive on these roads! I know them like the back of my hand.”

 

“You learned to drive in Florida,” Amelia says, gasping as they clear a steep hill and Charlotte grins as her stomach drops.

 

She always loved that feeling. Her mother would kill her if she ever found out that one of her and Paul’s favorite pastimes was jumping hills when he first got his driver’s license was jumping hills. The feeling of freedom as the car crested the hill and for less than half a second you were airborne, your stomach doing summersaults. She remembered the feel of her barely contained scream in the back of her throat and then Paul’s howl of triumph as the tires touched back down, both of them laughing, the windows down, the radio up. She stares out the window at the brown country side, bare trees and evergreen bushes rolling by and she misses home. She fights the lump in her throat as she thinks of her mother and father, how crushed they were when she had told them she wouldn’t be coming. Even Isaac had sounded disappointed, whether it was because he wouldn’t get to drive her through town with the sirens blaring or he really missed her she wasn’t entirely sure but the regret in his voice was enough to make her stomach turn in guilt.

 

“I did not,” Justin argues lightly, turning down another winding road and Charlotte notices the houses are getting larger.

 

“Excuse me,” Amelia replies turning in her seat to look at him. “You were sixteen so you were with your little boy group. In Florida. Where it never snowed-Justin be careful!” she exclaims as he twists the car around a tight curve.

 

“It’s not snowing!” Justin exclaims, ignoring her protests and Charlotte leans her head against the cool glass of the windshield, misery settling in. She gave up Christmas with her family for this?

 

“There is snow on the ground which means there could be ice on the road. Why you didn’t just get a driver-”

 

Justin sighs, his voice tired and low. “They don’t have driving services in Millington, Amelia.”

 

“Which is just one of the many reasons we don’t live here,” Amelia replies snottily, crossing her arms over her chest and glaring out the window.

 

Justin’s knuckles turn white as he grips the steering wheel, gritting his teeth to keep his mouth shut. He takes a deep breath and lets off the gas as he goes around the next curve, taking it slower than he normally would have. He glances at Charlotte in the rearview mirror to find her staring morosely out her window, her forehead resting against the glass and he sighs. He always hated spending Christmas away from his family too.

 

Charlotte’s head rolls to the side and she catches sight of Justin’s eyes watching her in the rearview mirror. He looks back at the road quickly but not quick enough for her to miss the expression of pity on his face. She feels a blush creep up her neck. She shouldn’t mope. She should try and make the best of this situation.

 

“Your turn is coming up,” Amelia says pointing at the GPS and Justin turns his head to look at her, blinking slowly.

 

Something tells her that’s going to be easier said than done.

 

“Amelia,” he says chuckling slightly in disbelief as the car slows and Charlotte peers out the window at the large brick house they are approaching. “I’ve lived here since I was four years old.”

 

Charlotte’s eyes rove over the great French Provincial home, the bricked driveway climbing towards the three car garage at a slight incline. White twinkle lights wrap around garland that hangs in draped ropes along the stair-stepped retaining walls lining the drive, the small lights winking at them in the midmorning gloom. Justin pulls in, parking next to a dark gray BMW and he shuts off the car, stepping out almost immediately. Amelia grumbles something inaudible as she climbs wearily out of the car and Charlotte slides out, slightly uncertain as to what she should be doing.

 

“Charlotte, pop the trunk,” Amelia says offhandedly as she strides after Justin. “Justin, the bags!” She sighs when he doesn’t turn, just hurries quickly along the brick walkway.

 

Charlotte is moving around to the driver’s side of the car, opening the door and searching for the trunk button when she hears the sound of a front door opening. She looks back and sees a woman in her late forties, trotting down the small sidewalk, her blond curly hair pulled back in a tight ponytail. She smiles as if it was already Christmas morning and Charlotte recognizes that smile. It’s the exact same as Justin’s.

 

“There’s my son!” she exclaims as she throws her arms open and Justin wraps his arms around her, enveloping her against him and they stay that way for a long moment.

 

“Hey Momma,” he drawls softly, kissing her cheek and Charlotte turns away as the lump returns to her throat. What she would give to hug her mother right now.

 

“Amelia,” Justin’s mother says jovially but it doesn’t hold the warmth it did when she addressed her son.

 

“Hey Lynn,” Amelia replies, forcing a smile as she crosses her arms tightly over her chest.

 

“Well would you look at you,” Lynn says with a sigh as she surveys Justin’s slim frame. “You look good!” She tugs the sleeve of his wool coat. “This is nice.”

 

“I had that sent from Milan, isn’t it just wonderful,” Amelia says, reaching to dust his shoulder. “He doesn’t like it.” Amelia sighs.

 

Justin blushes as his mother looks up at him with a raised eyebrow. “It’s bulky,” he says scrunching and unscrunching his shoulders. Amelia frowns and his stomach tightens. “I…I mean I thought so at first. I like it now.”

 

Lynn’s eyes narrow just slightly but she merely pats his shoulder, keeping her hand there and he smiles. Her attention is pulled to the car where Charlotte is moving around to open the trunk all the way, scratching her head as she surveys the luggage packed tightly into the small space.

 

“Is that Charlotte?” Lynn asks and he turns to see Charlotte struggling to tug one of Amelia’s bags out of the trunk.

 

He sighs. “Yeah- Hey Charlie I’ll get that,” he hollers, trotting over to her and smiling warmly at her as he pulls the bag easily from the trunk. “Come here I want you to meet my mother.”

 

“Do ya’ll need some help?” Lynn asks, her soft southern drawl coming from directly behind him and Charlotte turns and notes that her soft blue eyes are the same shade as Justin’s.

 

“We got it, Mom,” Justin says, heaving another bag out and setting it on the driveway with a thump, heaving a sigh. “This is Charlotte Jenson,” Justin says turning to face them and Charlotte smiles awkwardly. “Charlotte this is my mother, Lynn Harless,” he grins as one of his arms slips around her waist.

 

“Pleasure to meet you,” Charlotte says extending her hand and Lynn grasps it giving her a dazzling smile.

 

“You too, honey,” Lynn says and then moves to grab a bag from the trunk.

 

“Mom,” Justin says warningly. “Stop, I got it.”

 

“You want me to get your dad?” Lynn asks eyeing the trunk wearily and then glancing back at Amelia who’s standing stiffly by the front steps. “Did she bring her whole wardrobe?”

 

Justin snorts. “Are you kidding me, this is packing light for Amelia.”

 

They all waddle their way to the front door, Lynn insisting on helping and threatening to whip Justin if he protested one more time. His mouth snapped shut and his ears turned red, glancing at Charlotte who giggled softly. He ducked his head grabbing a few bags and scurrying towards the door.

 

They step inside and Charlotte looks around, taking in the high vault of the ceiling, the tall second story window filtering in the gray morning light. Floral arrangements adorn cherry wood side tables and plush Persian rugs warm the deep hardwood floors. The foyer opens to the left into a sunken living room, a grand piano nestled against large windows overlooking the side lawn, a fireplace on the east wall. There’s a dining room on the right with dark burgundy walls and deep cherry wood furnishings, the table luxuriously set. A carpeted staircase opens in front of them climbing up to the balconied second story, hallways on either side and for all the grandeur it exudes this aura of hominess and even though Charlotte has only been here for only a few minutes she feels comfortable here.

 

She’s startled as a sound like thunder pulls from the depths of the house, the scratching of claws on hard surface echoing off the walls and Charlotte’s eyes widen as two large dogs come tearing from the hallway to the left of the stairs, hurdling toward them at breakneck speed. Amelia lets out a shrill scream as they skid to a stop in front of her and Justin grins widely cooing at them as he bends over to rub their ears and pat their backs.

 

“Aw they missed you, J,” Lynn says reaching to take Charlotte and Amelia’s coats.

 

“Justin take off your coat. You’re going to get dog hair all over it,” Amelia scolds softly, scoffing as one of the mammoth animals licks Justin’s face enthusiastically.

 

Justin just laughs, rubbing the dogs face and nuzzling their noses together. “Don’t listen to Amelia, Brennan,” he says holding the dog’s face in his hands. “She’s just jealous.”

 

“I assure you I’m not,” Amelia replies dryly and Justin sighs shrugging off his coat and handing it to his mother, reaching down to scratch the other dog’s stomach.

 

“Buckleeeeeeey!” he coos scratching the dog’s ribs, laughing when Buckley’s leg starts to jiggle.

 

“Everybody’s here,” Lynn says with a smile as she finishes putting their coats away in the front closet.

 

“Granny and Granddad?” Justin asks, standing to his full height again and Lynn nods.

 

“And Rachel and Brad and the baby and-”

 

“It’s about goddamn time you showed up you sorry ass motherfucker!!!”

 

Charlotte nearly jumps out of her skin and Amelia gasps, reaching up to clutch her throat in alarm as a short man with dark wavy hair strolls into the entry way. Justin’s face breaks into a wide grin that mimics the one on the other mans face and they reach out to embrace, clapping each other hard on the back and they pull back laughing.

 

“Jesus,” the other man exclaims, eyeing the pile of bags around their feet. “You going on tour or something?”

 

Justin chuckles still beaming. “Nah it’s Amelia’s.” He waves a hand dismissively and Amelia huffs.

 

The other man’s smile turns hard, looking almost like a cringe as his eyes fall on Amelia who looks at him with barely veiled disdain.

 

“Amelia!” he says with forced enthusiasm. “Think you brought enough shit?”

 

“I like to be prepared, Tracey” Amelia smirks and the other man narrows his eyes. “Good to see that you’re still as…” she pauses looking him up and down, casting her disapproving gaze on his blue jeans and t-shirt. “unrefined as ever.” She gives him a tart smile.

 

“Now let’s not get to name callin,” he responds a wicked grin pulling across his face. “I wouldn’t wanna have to call you R-”

 

“Trace,” Justin exclaims with a nervous chuckle. “You’ve never met Charlotte. Charlotte,” he gestures to her and then grins. “This is my best friend, Trace. Trace this is Charlotte.”

 

Trace eyes her for a moment before extending his hand “Pleasure to meet you Charlotte.” Charlotte grasps it firmly and he smiles, his eyes flicking to Justin briefly and then back to her. “You Justin’s new girlfriend or something?”

 

Charlotte’s eyes go wide and she snatches her hand back and even though Trace is smirking, clearly enjoying the annoyance on Amelia’s face, she can’t help the rush of panic that runs through her.

 

“She’s my assistant,” Amelia snaps, glaring at him.

 

Trace’s eyes widen and he snorts. “You brought an assistant?”

 

“Trace,” Lynn chastises under her breath and he looks at the floor.

 

“Come on Trace,” Justin says, his tone mocking as he curls his arm around Amelia’s shoulder, tugging her against his chest. “Amelia’s got a lot going on. All important and shit.” He drops a kiss on her cheek and she bristles.

 

“Don’t curse,” she mutters and he presses his lips together, looking at the floor. Trace looks like he wants to laugh but thinks better of it.

 

“Trace, what are you doing?”

 

It’s a high girlish voice that echoes from the right hallway and Charlotte’s eyes widen as a pretty girl with flame red hair bounces into the foyer. She’s young, maybe twenty-two, the curves of her body hugged tight by dark washed denim jeans and a snow white sweater that dips low, revealing cleavage that would make even Amelia jealous. Justin stares at her slack jawed and Amelia’s gaze flits between him and the girl, her face set in a frown.

 

“Oh hi!” she exclaims, her face lighting up in a joyous smile. “You must be Justin. I’m so excited to finally meet you. Trace just talks about you all the time and – oh look- Amelia! Wow that’s such a cute outfit. I wanted something like that but it was too expensive. I just love your style. We seriously need to talk. And you’re an assistant right? I saw you in the papers. Wow, this is just so great.”

 

The other occupants of the room stare at her in silent wonder and she just grins, leaning on Trace who is smiling, slightly embarrassed as his arm wraps around her tiny waist. Justin’s eyes are still slightly wide and Amelia steps closer to him, her ice blue eyes gazing at the girl disapprovingly.

 

“Oh I’m Ginger by the way,” she adds finally, resting her chin on Trace’s shoulder as she watches them in slight awe and then she jerks as if remembering something. “Trace I can’t find my cell phone, can you call it?”

 

Trace nods, fishing his phone out of his pocket and clicking a few buttons. Everyone is silent, listening and they all give a slight jolt as music blares from somewhere near by.

 

SHA-LA-LA-LA DON’T BE SCARED YOU GOT THE MOOD PREPARED GO ON AND KISS DEE GIRL!

 

Trace scrunches his face in embarrassment as Ginger exclaims, “Oh jeez,” and bends down, the creamy expanse of her lower back revealed as her shirt hikes up. Justin looks at him and sniggers.

 

SHA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA DON’T STOP NOW DON’T TRY TO HIDE IT HOW YOU WANNA KISS DEE GIRL!

 

She plucks the small thin cell phone from the loose looping of her shoe laces and rights herself, flicking it open just as Trace flips his closed and puts it back in his pocket.

 

“Thanks Trace-Trace,” Ginger coos, pecking him on the cheek.

 

“I thought your ringtone was that Cindy Lauper song,” he mutters under his breath and Ginger smiles up at him.

 

“Oh it is,” she says looping her arm through his and twisting, swinging them slightly in place. “That’s your ring tone.” She smoothes his hair back from his face and he grins, his cheeks reddening and Justin sniggers again.

 

Ginger sighs. “I have no idea why I put it there. Probably because I didn’t want to lose it or something.” Her face screws up in confusion, as if this train of thought is just beyond her grasp. “Kind of an odd place though.” She snaps out of it shaking her head and then beams at them, her smile bright and unaffected. “Well, it was nice meeting all of you!” she says scrunching up her shoulders as if the excitement has caused all her muscles to seize upward. She gives a brilliant smile and turns to bounce back down the hallway. “FOUND IT!” she hollers and her voice echoes toward the back of the house.

 

Justin watches the sway of her hips until she flounces around the corner. Amelia huffs and he blinks hard shaking his head as his eyes fall on Trace who’s just now turning back to the group shaking his head. Justin quarks an eyebrow at him, mouthing “Trace-Trace???” and Trace smirks, gripping the air in front of him as if it were hips and his eyes roll back in his head before grinning and winking at Justin. They both snigger and Amelia rolls her eyes, hitting Justin’s chest with the back of her hand and he clears his throat looking at the floor.

 

“Well,” Lynn says clearing her throat as well and reaching for the handles of a few of the bags at her feet. “Why don’t we get these upstairs?”

 

It’s a mass exodus up the stairs, each person climbing slowly, their arms straining under the weight of the bags. The dogs trot happily after them, panting and sniffing curiously at the luggage. Even on the second floor the ceiling is high, the white walls climbing up and up and Charlotte notices as she follows Justin down the hall that the general art work of the foyer has given way to framed family photos. Part of her wants to stop and survey them, see Justin as a little boy, a gangly teenager, a young man, but another part of her, the homesick part, can’t stand to look so she stares straight ahead, her eyes focused on the hair curling at the nape of Justin’s neck.

 

“Here Charlie you take this one,” Justin says nodding his head at the closed door to her left and he pauses to take one of Amelia’s bags from her so that she’s only carrying her own.

 

She steps inside, dropping her bags on the floor next to the bed and looks around. The room is fairly stark compared to the rest of the house, nothing but a bed and a dresser, a chair in the corner. There’s a Janet Jackson poster on the closet door and a basketball sitting in the chair. She glances out the window to see the swimming pool covered in a black tarp below. The backyard stretches far to the tree line, a few oaks and maples dotting the lawn and Charlotte sighs sitting on the bed, her mind wandering to her family but she snaps back quickly. She really shouldn’t mope.

 

She hears the jingle of a collar and Buckley rounds the end of the bed moving to stand next to her, sniffing at her shoes, his tail wagging so hard that his entire body wiggles. Charlotte grins reaching to rub his ears and his sniffing stops, his eyes closing in pleasure. She giggles, working her fingers around his neck and scratching under his collar. His leg starts to jiggle.

 

“Charlie,” she turns and sees Justin leaning in the doorway, looking around the room with a longing expression before his eyes settle on her and Buckley. He grins. “ Making friends?”

 

“Yeah we’re getting acquainted,” she replies, patting his head affectionately and his tongue hangs out the side of his mouth panting. She looks back and sees Justin smiling softly at her.

 

He shakes his head as if snapping out of a daze. “Sorry you got stuck in my old room,” he says eyeing the poster on the door. “Amelia thinks the bed is too small.”

 

“It’s fine,” Charlotte says, her hand still moving continuously over Buckley’s head.

 

“Hey you doin’ okay?” he asks softly and Charlotte’s eyes meet his, finding him looking at her sympathetically. She blushes, ducking her head.

 

“Yeah…yeah I’m fine.”

 

“Good,” he says smiling but it’s not quick enough and she knows he doesn’t believe her. “Well, come on downstairs and meet the family.”

 

***

 

“He was the most precious child,” Lynn gushes from across the counter and Justin ducks his head, feeling his cheeks pinken at his mother’s words.

 

Charlotte looks from his mother to him, a sly smile pulling at her lips and he knows this is payback for getting her father to send those baby pictures a couple weeks back. The majority of the afternoon had been spent around the kitchen table talking as was the custom in the south. Most of the conversation had been centered around stories from his youth that he’d hoped to never hear again, but while it was mildly embarrassing the comfort of having the family together was something he’d desperately missed. It didn’t even bother him that Amelia had little less than turned her nose up at a lunch of Philly Cheese steak sandwiches because he loved his mother’s Philly cheese steak sandwiches and he wasn’t going to let her sulking ruin this for him. He was home.

 

His dogs were laying under the table at his feet and he enjoyed nudging them every now and then, listening to Buckley’s soft growl and jumping at the feel of Brennan’s tongue on his ankle. His grandmother is just now starting to make dinner, his mother helping as much as Sadie would allow. His grandfather is sitting at the head of the table telling jokes that never failed to make him laugh. Trace is sitting across from him, laughing and sharing looks, knowing Justin even in silence. Ginger leans on his arm, listening animatedly to all the stories being told. Rachel is sitting next to him, her laughter loud and obnoxious as ever but it didn’t bother him the way it used to. She balances her daughter on her knee, little Hannah gazing around at the crowd as if she’d never seen such a spectacle. The child is the spitting image of his cousin aside from the wild curl of her hair, which he guesses runs in the family because the man sitting on the other side of his cousin, her husband Brad, has some of the straightest hair he’s ever seen. Poor kid, he couldn’t help thinking, had a fifty-fifty chance and lost.

 

“He was a terror,” Rachel contests and his eyes narrow at her, enjoying the cheeky grin he gets in return. Just like old times.

 

“He was a good kid,” his father, Paul, chimes in from the opposite head of the table and Justin grins in appreciation. “A little ornery but he was a good kid.”

 

“Remember when he almost took out your picnic table with the lawn mower, Billy?” Rachel asks, nodding at Justin’s grandfather who grins widely nodding.

 

The entire table chuckles, even Charlotte, who has been doing her best to be upbeat, though the sadness doesn’t quite leave her eyes no matter what expression she takes. Justin admires her amiability. Amelia would be throwing a fit if she were in Charlotte’s place. In fact, he thinks as his eyes flick to her, leaning back silently in her chair next to Charlotte, barely speaking if spoken to, that Amelia is throwing a fit. But it’s a quiet one and he can deal with that.

 

“Oh come on,” Justin sighs watching as Rachel tries to force Hannah to sit still as the child cranes her neck around trying to reach for the pendant around her mother’s neck.

 

“No you come on,” Rachel argues playfully, trying to pry Hannah’s fat fingers from her necklace. “You thought you were Dale Earnhardt – Hannah stop.”

 

“I still can’t believe you have a kid,” Justin says watching her mystified, shaking his head as he smiles softly at the child. “You make me feel old.”

 

“You are old,” she replies with a grin, bouncing Hannah on her knee and Justin frowns. “That big three-oh is coming up JT.”

 

“Not for another month,” he says watching Hannah struggle in her mother’s arms. “Com’ere Hannah,” he says, reaching to hook his large hands under the child’s armpits and she looks at him in wonder as she’s lifted into the air and set on his knee.

 

Hannah laughs, turning her small body in his lap and he allows her to stand on his thigh, keeping his hands around her tiny ribcage for support. She reaches up, her small hands holding his cheeks as she explores his face, a look of deep concentration in her caramel brown eyes. He smiles and her fingers poke at his bottom lip. He laughs and she pulls back startled for a moment before giggling a little herself.

 

“Would you look at that, he’s a natural,” Brad says, leaning over Rachel’s shoulder to watch his daughter and her uncle interact.

 

“I always thought Justin would be a wonderful father,” Lynn remarks, rinsing her hands under the sink and all eyes turn to Amelia who blinks back at them bewildered.

 

Justin grins, watching Hannah’s face closely as she traces the skin of his forehead, wincing a little as she reaches up to tug his hair. He could do this. He could take care of a little girl, teach a little boy to play basketball. He would tell the jokes his grandfather always told him. He could see himself singing them to sleep at night, driving them to school, birthdays and Christmases. He could do that. He and Amelia could-

 

“We haven’t really discussed children,” Amelia replies stiffly and Justin’s body jerks as if he’s been struck.

 

He cranes his neck to look at her over his shoulder and finds her sitting back in her chair unaffected, as if her statement was something as simple as saying they hadn’t discussed whether it would be orchids or roses in their floral arrangements rather than discussing their future offspring. She said it so casually, as if she’d already made up her mind. As if the answer was already no. He doesn’t realize he’s frowning until Hannah’s fingers are pushing at the corners of his mouth, urging the smile back onto his face.

 

“I don’t know if I want kids either,” Ginger pipes in, affirming Amelia’s underlying statement and Justin forces a smile for Hannah’s benefit even though disappointment tastes bitter in the back of his throat. “I mean…I want to have my career, you know.”

 

The entire table looks at her bewildered, including Trace who seems shocked at the utter idea of children from the woman he’s sleeping with. She eyes Amelia, trying to discern her reaction but seemingly can’t. Amelia plucks at her fingernails disinterestedly, looking utterly bored.

 

“That’s nice, dear,” Sadie says finally as she roots around inside the pantry. “Lynn, do you not have any crushed pineapple?”

 

Justin’s eyes grow wide. He knows what crushed pineapple means.

 

“I thought so,” Lynn says, pawing through the cabinet and then sighing. “I guess not.”

 

“Justin,” Sadie says, leaning back around the cabinet door. “Can you and Trace run up to the market on the corner?”

 

“Yes,” Justin says immediately, standing up and handing Hannah back to Rachel. “Yes we can. Come on Trace.”

 

“Whoa dude chill,” Trace says chuckling.

 

“He knows what crushed pineapple means, don’t you boy?” Billy asks with a grin and he leans close to Charlotte who looks confused. “My wife makes this Blueberry Crunch Cake.” He holds his chest as he closes his eyes and sighs. “Amazing.” Charlotte smiles.

 

“Wanna go babe?” Justin asks, nudging Amelia’s shoulder, ignoring the disgruntled look Trace gives him. He wants his girl to see all his hometown has to offer, to make her understand why he loves this place, to get her to lighten up a little.

 

“No,” she replies shortly and then forces a smile. “No I’m fine.”

 

“Okay,” Justin says, slightly disappointed, his hand dropping from her shoulder.

 

“What about you Gin?” Trace asks as he stands from his seat and Ginger eyes Amelia for a moment before shaking her head.

 

“No,” she smiles up at him blandly, “No I’m fine.”

 

Trace shoots Justin a look before moving around the table and they’re about to file out of the kitchen when Sadie waves Justin over. He gives her a perplexed look as he walks over, Trace waiting by the doorway.

 

“Justin,” Sadie says, leaning over the counter and Justin does the same, his eyes following his grandmother’s over to the table. “Why don’t you ask Charlotte to go?”

 

Justin’s eyes fall on Charlotte who’s staring stoically down at the ruffled placemat, her fingers plucking absently at the fabric and he wonders if she realizes how miserable she looks. He looks back at his grandmother uncertainly and she gives him a wide smile of encouragement and nods. He clears his throat.

 

“Hey Charlie,” he says jovially and she looks up, startled and the sadness wipes off her face but not completely. He smiles, cocking his head back towards the door. “You’re coming, let’s go.”

 

“Um…” she says confused. “O-okay.”

 

***

 

“Dude, if Ginger starts acting like Amelia I’m gonna kick your ass,” Trace says as they walk around the side of the house and Justin snorts.

 

“Oh shut up,” Justin replies as they approach an old beat up Chevy pick up that looks so out of place to Charlotte between the Lexus and the Escalade.

 

“I’m not fucking kidding bro,” Trace responds, pointing his keys at Justin as he rounds the back of the truck. “She’s never talked about her,” he makes air quotes, “career before in her life and Amelia shows up and now she’s all ‘my career’ and shit.”

 

“You just don’t like women with ambition,” Justin chuckles as he opens the passenger side door and stands back to allow Charlotte inside. “Where’d you pick her up anyway?”

 

Charlotte climbs in hesitantly, the leather seats cracked under her hands and she settles in the middle of the bench seat, sitting almost sideways so her feet can rest on the floorboard of the passenger side. Trace flops in beside her, jamming the key in the ignition and the truck fires up, growling loudly as Justin slides in next to her. She folds her hands around her knees, trying to take up as little space as possible. She’s not exactly sure why they asked her to come. She’s sure they would have liked some time to catch up but she can’t say she isn’t grateful. Watching Ginger trying to emulate Amelia was almost painful.

 

“Beauty shop,” Trace responds with a grin as he looks over his shoulder, backing the truck out of the drive. “She cuts my hair.”

 

Justin laughs at this, letting his head fall back against the back window, his eyes closing as he sighs. He opens his eyes and looks around at the interior of the truck, breathing deep the smell of the old leather mixed with the mint of Charlotte’s hair.

 

“I didn’t know you were driving this thing,” Justin says, resting his arm against the window and struggling to sit up farther. Charlotte curls into herself trying to give him more room.

 

“Yeah,” Trace says with a sigh as he pulls onto the open road. “I just couldn’t get rid of it. Granddad loved this thing.”

 

Charlotte feels Justin shift again but now it’s not because he’s crowded.

 

“Hey man, I…I’m sorry I wasn’t here for the funer-”

 

“Don’t mention it,” Trace says quickly, his eyes flicking to Charlotte and she looks at her hands on her knees, feeling more and more awkward by the second.

 

“Didn’t even change the radio,” Justin grins, reaching forward to fiddle with the old knobs and Trace grins.

 

“Hell no that’s a classic,” Trace replies as they pull onto the highway and it’s only a few miles until they see a small convenient store.

 

Trace pulls in and kills the engine, all of them piling out. Justin offers his hand to Charlotte as she scoots over to the edge and she takes it somewhat hesitantly, allowing him to steady her as she hops to the ground. He smiles warmly at her and she returns it a little awkwardly, slipping her hand out of his as she turns to hurry into the store.

 

She stops in her tracks, giving a small yelp of surprise when she comes face to face with a dingy, disheveled man, his grisly beard gray under all the dirt. He reeks of alcohol, the smell seeming to come from his very pores and he stumbles closer to Charlotte causing her to take a cautious step back. She gasps as she feels a hand clamp around her wrist and she’s tugged swiftly behind Justin, his body blocking hers as he stands at his full height.

 

“Stand between us,” he mutters to her as he turns, keeping his eye on the man as his hand settles on her lower back, Trace falling in on her other side.

 

His hand stays firmly in place until they’re inside.

 

“You okay?” he asks and she nods, her heart still thumping unevenly but she can feel it slowing down. He gives her a short nod, eyeing her for a moment to make sure she’s telling the truth.

 

“Dude!” Trace exclaims and Justin turns to find his best friend holding a magazine, a look of horror on his face. “What the FUCK is this?”

 

He flips the magazine so that Justin can see the cover and Justin’s ears turn bright red, looking quickly at the floor. Charlotte steps closer seeing that it’s one of those rag mags, the glossy cover showcasing a large picture of Justin and Amelia in some little boutique in Manhattan. Amelia is leaning over a table looking at something and Justin is standing next to her looking very bored and – Charlotte’s jaw drops – holding Amelia’s purse.

 

“What. The. Fuck.” Trace says again slower this time, chuckling as he turns the magazine back around to look at it again.

 

“Come on man,” Justin mutters, snatching for it but Trace pulls back grinning as he flips through the magazine.

 

“It matches your outfit and everything,” Trace teases and Justin scowls at him, rolling his eyes as he turns to stalk down a nearby aisle. “Fuck I’m buyin this,” he says, tucking the magazine under his arm.

 

Charlotte giggles, looking around at the walls decorated with animal heads and fishing lures. Old oil cans and dated coke bottles line the shelves around the ceiling and hokey metal signs with sayings like “Gone Fishin'....be back dark-thirty!” and “If it flies it dies.” Liquor bottles line the wall behind the counter and Charlotte is some what shocked to see such a small country store selling hard liquor.  There’s a freezer holding ice cream bars and fudgecicles next to a fridge that carries bait of all kinds and there’s a long aisle of beef jerky and pork rinds.

 

She meanders down the aisles, always within earshot of Justin and Trace, listening to them bicker playfully as they pay for the can of pineapple and the magazine, much to Justin’s chagrin. Her mind wanders like her feet do, missing home, missing her family. She realizes she’s being childish. Justin’s family welcomed her with open arms, asking polite questions of her, forcing seconds on her which she gladly took much to Amelia’s horror. Even though she’d only been there for a few hours she was already feeling akin to them and she figures that if she had to spend Christmas away from her family she was glad it was with a group as kind and welcoming as Justin’s.

 

She’s reading a display of bumper stickers when Justin calls her name and she finds him and Trace standing next to the door, motioning for her to come on. She scurries up the aisle following them out the door. They both slow, standing on either side of her, looking around discreetly but she knows what they’re doing and the old drunk is nowhere in sight. Both men still stay close to her until she climbs into the cab of the truck.

 

They pile in around her, shoulders knocking hard into hers and she rolls her eyes, nudging them with her elbows. Trace tosses his magazine onto the dashboard, Justin rolling his eyes as he sets the can of pineapple on the floorboard between his feet. That’s when Charlotte notices that he also bought another item. All she can tell is that it’s a bottle, the contents concealed by a brown paper bag.

 

Justin grins and so does Trace as he fires up the truck, backing out of the parking lot slowly. Charlotte watches as Justin crumples the mouth of the brown sack down, revealing only the black cap of the bottle and twisting it off, grinning as he brings it to his lips and takes a swig. He grins, holding the bottle out to Trace, who takes it and sucks down a quick swig, shivering and grimacing as he hands it back.

 

Justin holds the bottle out to Charlotte. “Here.”

 

Charlotte eyes it, not taking it. “What is it?” she asks wearily and Trace sniggers.

 

Justin wiggles the bottle, a low glugging sound emitting from it as the liquid sloshes inside. “Just try it. Trust me.”

 

Charlotte watches him through narrowed eyes for a moment and he wiggles the bottle again. She sighs taking it from him and sniffs the opening, wrinkling her nose before bringing it to her lips and taking a quick sip. Fire shoots down her throat and her eyes bug at the bitterness, a cough forcing its way from her lungs. Justin and Trace both throw their heads back, laughing hard and Charlotte blushes, trying to force down her cough.

 

“Charlie,” Justin chuckles, his laughing beginning to subside as he slips the bottle out of the sack, the white lettering standing out starkly against the black label. He chuckles. “Meet my friend Jack.”

 

He grins, slipping it back into the sack and taking another sip before handing it back over to Trace, reaching for the knob on the stereo. They turn to each other in wide-eyed shock as a clanky electric guitar fills the cab and Charlotte knows this song, the beat thumping methodically with her heart and she jumps as both men start to sing together.

 

“WHEN I WAS JUST A BABY, MY MAMA TOLD ME, "SON, ALWAYS BE A GOOD BOY; DON'T EVER PLAY WITH GUNS." BUT I SHOT A MAN IN RENO, JUST TO WATCH HIM DIE.”

 

Trace can’t quite hit the last note as Justin barely makes it and Charlotte can’t help but giggle at Trace’s off key howl and Justin’s tenor bravado. He turns to her and grins as they continue on, singing to her dramatically and she can’t help the smile that threatens to split her face open.

 

“WHEN I HEAR THAT WHISTLE BLOWIN' I HANG MY HEAD AND CRY.”

 

“Come on Charlie sing it,” Justin says before starting in again, Trace joining him, pounding the beat against the steeling wheel with an open palm.

 

Charlotte shakes her head embarrassed, still grinning like a fool. Leave it to Justin to make an ass out of himself and get her laughing. In that moment she forgets about missing her family and how much she wishes she were with them. In that moment she can’t imagine being anywhere else but here in this car with them.

 

Chapter 12 pt 1 by SomethingBlue42
Author's Notes:
Sorry this one took so long guys. School's kicking my ass. But this is a long one so Enjoy!

In Charlotte’s hazy, sleep filled brain the thudding of paws down the hallway doesn’t quite register. She’s in the space between dream and waking where she can’t quite comprehend what’s going on as the door to her room is nudged open and heavy pants fill the air. But everything comes crashing to the surface, her eyes flying open and she yelps as two large dogs jump onto the bed, trampling her legs as they snort and root at the covers.

 

“Guys!” a harsh whisper comes from the doorway and she looks over wide-eyed to see Justin peeking his head around the doorframe. He grins sheepishly. “Sorry.”

 

Charlotte doesn’t respond, her mind still trying to grasp that it’s morning and she’s not in her own bed. She covers her face wondering what the hell she must look like. She usually avoided mirrors until she was fully awake and now here she was with an audience...a male audience with whom she didn't really want to share her makeupless face and morning breath.

 

“Bren…Buck…seriously.” Justin says and she feels him move up next to the bed, the dogs grunting as he drags them to the floor by their collars.

 

Charlotte pushes herself up, locking her arms behind her as she looks around blearily. Morning light is filtering in feebly from the window, bathing the room in muted grays and blues. Justin is standing next to the bed watching her amusedly, his short curls fuzzy and mussed, a thin white t-shirt clinging to his chest and threadbare cotton sleep pants covering his long legs. She jumps when Buckley’s cold nose nudges her hand and Justin grips his collar again tugging him back.

 

“What time is it?” she asks, her voice rough as she runs a hand over her face, still trying to adjust to the light.

 

“About nine,” he says leaning down to massage Brennan’s ears. “You should go back to sleep if you want to. Not a whole lot going on today. Trace is gonna be here in a minute for some male bonding.” He grins as he reaches down to rub Buckley’s head roughly, the dog panting up at him, his tongue lolling out of the side of his mouth. “And since you’re lacking in that department you can’t go.” he adds smarmily and Charlotte purses her lips at him, narrowing her eyes.

 

“Is everyone else up?” she asks, stifling a yawn with the back of her hand and Justin grins at her, still clearly amused by her sleepiness.

 

“Justin?” Lynn’s voice travels down the hall and when she appears in the doorway and her face shows slight surprise. “What are you doing?” Her eyes flick from her son to Charlotte who blinks a few times to clear her hazy vision, finally coming into some sort of coherency.

 

“The dogs kinda barreled in here,” Justin says and both animals turn their mammoth heads back towards Lynn who narrows her eyes at them.

 

“Oh would you two leave the poor girl alone. It’s bad enough she’s stuck here away from her family for the holidays; she doesn’t need you two trampling her to death in her sleep!” 

 

Brennan and Buckley duck their heads chastised and step slowly towards the door, their movements sluggish and careful under Lynn’s stern gaze. As soon as they slither past her they take off running down the hallway, their claws ticking on the stairs as they rocket their way down to the lower level.

 

“You have a pillow crease across your face,” Justin states and Charlotte glares up at him, rubbing her cheek self-consciously even though she knows he’s just playing with her. “And your pony tail is lopsided.”

 

“Thank you for pointing that out,” Charlotte replies sarcastically as she reaches up to tug the elastic from her hair, her chocolate brown locks tumbling down over her shoulders. Justin watches her, still smiling.

 

“It’s adorable really. Your face is all blotchy too,” he smirks and she feels his index finger poke her bicep lightly, jabbing playfully.

 

“I woke up two minutes ago. I have a right to look horrible,” Charlotte replies, reaching up to run her hands through her hair. She smirks. “What’s your excuse?”

 

Justin scoffs, a look of mock hurt covering his features and he turns his heel fully prepared to pull a prima madonna stalk off and he nearly runs smack into his mother who is eyeing the two of them curiously. He meets her eyes and finds questions there. Questions that shock and baffle him. The smile falls off his face and he clears his throat stepping past her.

 

Was that inappropriate of him? He was just getting the dogs. And he and Charlotte always bust each other’s balls. They’re friends right? Sure they haven’t done a lot outside of work but they are friends. That’s not weird for him to go in his friend’s room when she’s sleeping. Is it? He’ll admit that one of his flaws is underestimating the way things look to other people. Really he doesn’t give a flying fuck what anyone else thinks but the way his mother had looked at him, the questioning in her eyes, the almost hopeful look. Maybe he was over reacting. He was sure he was over reacting. True he likes Charlotte just… not in that way. He shakes his head. He’s engaged. And he loves Amelia. He really does.

 

“Ugh Justin! Trace is here!” Amelia calls from the bottom of the stairs, her voice laced with distaste and he thinks he hears his friend’s amused snigger.

 

“Coming! I just gotta get dressed.”

 

***

 

Charlotte shuffles down the stairs into the open kitchen and finds two conflicting scenes. Amelia is stationed at the kitchen table, her laptop opened, papers and files laid out around her. It’s odd to see Amelia in something other than business skirts and dresses. Even though she’s dressed casually Amelia still looks completely put together, the soft gray wool of her bell sleeve sweater hugging her slim frame, the rolled neckline resting just under her chin and setting off her porcelain skin beautifully. The cut of her dark denim jeans accentuates the slimness of her legs hugging her tight all the way down to her ankles. She has a pair of Mary Jane skimmers on her feet, the gray suede soft and gleaming as if they’d never been worn.

 

On the other side of the kitchen which might as well be the other side of the world, Lynn and Ginger are pulling eggs and flour out of the refrigerator and cabinets, dressed casually in cheery holiday sweaters, the cotton of their sleep pants pooling over the tops of their bare feet. Seeing them makes Charlotte feel slightly better about her ratty college hoodie and old blue jeans that are fraying at the hems, her unmanicured toes barely visible beneath the hemline.

 

Justin and Trace sit across from Lynn and Ginger at the kitchen island chatting easily over a breakfast of pancakes and eggs. Both men are dressed simply in hooded sweatshirts and jeans, sneakers on their feet. Trace is already working on his pancakes as Justin continues to fork eggs into his mouth, his jaw working slowly as he chews. Charlotte inhales deeply, the heady scent of syrup filling her nostrils and her stomach snarls, announcing her presence. Everyone turns toward her, except Amelia who seems to be totally immersed in her work. Justin grins widely.

 

“Mornin’ Al!” he exclaims and Charlotte gives him a condescending smile, sliding onto a barstool next to him. “Forecast?”

 

Charlotte shifts on her seat, eyeing the other occupants in the room. “Um…cold?”

 

“Oh come on you can do better than that!” Justin exclaims, his elbow nudging her gently before shoving the last of his eggs into his mouth and she sighs.

 

“Fine. Cloudy today with a high of sixty. Chance of snow around midnight,” she rattles off, smirking at her own cleverness for checking it on her phone before coming downstairs.

 

“Oh come on!” he exclaims, his fork falling to his plate with a clatter. “Do the voice!”

 

“No!” Charlotte says feeling her cheeks heat up, the other occupants in the room regarding them with curious amusement.

 

“Come oooooooooon,” he whines, poking her repeatedly in the arm until she slaps his hand away, then doing it one more time for good measure. “You always do the voice.”

 

“Justin don’t be obnoxious,” Amelia says, her voice distant as if she’s not really paying attention. Justin ignores her.

 

“What voice?” Ginger asks, watching the two of them in confusion and Charlotte sighs.

 

“Her weatherman voice,” Justin says and then pokes her again. “Do it.”

 

“I’m not doing it,” Charlotte replies, trying her hardest not to smile but does a poor job.

 

“Dooooooooo iiiiiiiiiiiit,” he says lowly, drawing out the vowels in the words and poking her again. Charlotte slaps his hand and giggles before pulling her face into an expression of mock annoyance.

 

“Fine!” she clears her throat and adjusts her shoulders, rolling her neck.

 

“You’re getting ready?” Justin asks, a smile tugging at his lips, amused by her actions. “Really? Really?”

 

Charlotte huffs. “Yes…ugh…gimmee a minute,” she scolds lightly, heaving a sigh and then clearing her throat again. “Todaaaay’s forecaaaaast is cloudyyyy with a high of sixty. But watch out! We’re gonna be getting some flurries around midnight. Pack your snow shoes!”

 

She blushes furiously and Justin beams at her practically bouncing in his chair. Trace chuckles and Ginger peeks around them at Amelia before chuckling a little herself. Lynn smiles, eyeing the two of them curiously as she sets peanut butter and baking powder on the counter.

 

“Charlotte, would you like some breakfast?” Lynn asks. “We’ve got eggs, pancakes – obvisously –” she chuckles as she watches Justin nudge his empty egg plate out of the way and pull his plate of pancakes more fully in front of him, drizzling an obscene amount of syrup on them. “We have-”

 

“Justin!” Amelia exclaims suddenly and everyone jumps at the sharp tone of her voice. Justin turns to look at her, blinking slowly, his muscles tense. What could he have possibly done now? “What are you doing?”

 

Everyone looks at him and he looks down at himself and his food in front of him utterly perplexed.

 

“I’m…eating breakfast?” he asks, looking over his shoulder at her again.

 

“You already had eggs,” Amelia says sharply and her voice softens when her eyes flit to Lynn. “Darling you know you’re not supposed to have carbs.” She laughs as if he were just being silly. “You’ll set back your new training regimen.”

 

Justin looks from Amelia to his mother who is blinking back at him somewhat amazed before she looks away to grab a bowl from under the counter. Trace makes an irritated sound in the back of his throat but says nothing. Justin looks down longingly at his pancakes and then glances back at Amelia who is still gazing at him steadily. He hears Charlotte’s stomach grumble again and he sighs.

 

“Here Charlie,” he says, nudging his plate in front of her. “You need this more than me.” Charlotte barely hears the “apparently” he adds under his breath.

 

“Are…are you sure I mean I can just-”

 

“Please,” he says, holding his hands up. “Amelia’s right. No…no carbs for me.” He forces a smile and Charlotte gives him a sympathetic look before picking up the fork and beginning to eat.

 

“Dude…you’re fuckin’ whipped,” Trace mutters under his breath and Justin glares at him, sliding off his barstool.

 

“We should get going,” he says, smacking Trace on the shoulder with the back of his hand.

 

“What are you boys doing today?” Lynn asks as she sets the oven to pre-heat, eyeing the two of them.

 

They both shrug and Charlotte grins at the way they mirror each other, their hands in the front pouch of their hoodies, resting their weight casually on one leg. Lynn seemingly notices this too and smiles, shaking her head.

 

“Bye Momma,” he says softly, leaning over the counter to peck her cheek softly and Trace gives her a short wave as they move towards the door.

 

But Justin stops and mutters something to Trace whose eyes flit to Amelia before giving his friend a short nod and turning to leave. Justin purses his lips and takes a few short strides towards his fiancé, kneeling beside her chair and she looks away from her screen vexed. Charlotte watches from the corner of her eye as he places a hand on her thigh and whispers something she can’t quite hear, catching only a few words like “be nice” and my “our family now.” Amelia rolls her eyes and flops back in her chair, whispering something heated back to him. He breathes out before tilting his head to the side and something in his face changes, something Charlotte can’t quite decipher but it’s almost as if he softens, his lips pursing just slightly and his eyes seem to have their own gravitational pull. She hears him utter one word softly, something that sounds like “please” and Amelia’s face yields to a soft look Charlotte has barely ever seen from her. Amelia sighs and gives a short nod, receiving a grin from him in return and he rises, pecking her on the cheek on his way to his feet.

 

Charlotte turns back to her plate quickly, shoving the last of her pancakes into her mouth lest he catch her watching them. As she turns her eyes meet Lynn’s she’s shocked to find the older woman eyeing her curiously. Charlotte blushes, ducking her head as she picks up her plate and carries it around the island to the sink, rinsing it thoroughly.

 

“Have fun ladies,” Justin says and Charlotte doesn’t even look over her shoulder to see him leave. “I expect piles of cookies upon my return.”

 

“Oh yeah right,” Lynn mutters laughing and Charlotte can hear Justin’s throaty laugh waft through the house before melting into nothing, punctuating his departure. “Ginger hand me that flour there. We better get to mixing if we’re going to have piles of cookies later.” Lynn giggles to herself in a way that tells Charlotte she would like nothing more than to make piles of cookies for her son.

 

“Charlotte,” Amelia says, not taking her eyes off of her computer screen. “I need you to find that file from last week. You know the one. You packed it. Or you should have…”

 

“Oh Amelia you’ve been working since seven,” Lynn says eyeing the younger woman. “Come on and help us bake cookies. Charlotte you too. You look like a good mixer come here.”

 

Lynn gestures to the bowl in front of her, moving out of the way and Charlotte hesitates, watching Amelia who is still typing away diligently but her body is pulled partway out of her seat. She straightens completely and sighs, plastering a bright smile on her face but it seems hard instead of warm as she moves to stand next to Ginger. Charlotte doesn’t move fearing that hell has just frozen over. Since when did Amelia play nice?

 

“Have you ever baked before?” Ginger asks, gazing up at Amelia wide eyed as she moves to stand next to them and Charlotte fights the laugh in her throat taking her place next to Lynn.

 

“Of course I’ve baked before,” Amelia says, her brows knitting as she eyes Ginger as if she should know better. She rolls her shoulders, bristling slightly. “Our cook made cookies all the time when I was younger. Although…” Amelia sneers down at the dirty counter. “She never made me…er…let me help.” She forces another smile.

 

“They’re so much better if you make them yourself,” Lynn says as Charlotte begins to stir. “Ginger you wanna crack the eggs?”

 

Ginger grins, bouncing on her toes before she glances at Amelia who is pushing at her cuticles, looking very bored. Ginger immediately stops her bouncing and clears her throat, brushing back a piece of her coppery hair. Charlotte hadn’t noticed it before but Ginger’s hair is curled softly, tumbling in flowing waves over her shoulders…just like Amelia’s. Ginger looks down at her own fingernails as well, picking at a hangnail.

 

“No…no I’m fine,” Ginger replies airily, all the while watching Amelia from the corner of her eye.

 

Lynn looks at her perplexed and then shakes her head before grabbing two eggs from the carton. “Amelia?” she asks holding the eggs out and Amelia’s ice blue eyes turn to them disinterestedly.

 

“No,” Amelia says, her voice saccharine sweet. “No, I’m fine.”

 

“I’ll do it,” Charlotte says, taking the eggs from Lynn who smiles at her. “Here, you man the spoon.”

 

Charlotte hands the spoon over to Lynn before tapping an egg against the side of the bowl and it cracks open, the yoke falling into the mixture and Lynn whips it, her tongue peeking out of the side of her mouth. She sighs, letting the spoon fall to the side and glaring down at the bowl.

 

“That’s a work out,” she says, flexing her arm and Charlotte moves to grab the spoon. “Oh no honey,” Lynn says, patting Charlotte’s arm as she turns. “Justin got me this mixer…”

 

She trails as she bends down, opening one of the cabinet doors and pulling out a small hand blender. Charlotte eyes it and then looks in the bowl wearily.

 

“Um…is that gonna work? This is pretty thick…” Charlotte says peering into the bowl and Lynn shakes her head.

 

“Nah this thing has like two hundred fifty horses on it,” she chuckles, reaching into a drawer and plucking out the beaters. “Justin got me that big blender over there for my birthday,” she says nodding back towards the far corner of the kitchen and Charlotte’s eyes widen at the sight of the massive professional blender tucked against the wall, taking up a good two feet of counter space. “Then when he realized that it was the biggest pain in the ass to use ever, he got me this for Mother’s Day.”

 

She grins as she sticks the beaters into the concoction and turns it on, a soft whirring sound humming from it and it gets louder and higher in frequency as she turns up the speed watching the beaters churn through the lumpy dough. She raises her voice so as to be heard over the hum of the beaters.

 

“Amelia have you started getting your guest list together for the wedding?” Lynn asks, smiling over at the younger woman whose head snaps up at the mention of her name.

 

“Um…yes,” Amelia says, glaring at the mixer as if it were being very rude making her raise her voice like that. “We’ve just started gathering names.”

 

“Good, good!” Lynn says, clearly pleased to have Amelia engaged in a conversation. “Remind me later and I’ll give you our church directory. Justin will want everyone there.”

 

Charlotte watches Amelia’s face go from bored to hyperaware in a span of two seconds. She smiles tightly, clearing her throat.

 

“What?” she asks delicately, watching Lynn make slow circular motions with the mixer. Lynn squints at her cocking her head to the side, unhearing.

 

“What was that?”

 

Amelia grits her teeth and Charlotte turns away, looking for a washcloth to wipe down the counter. This should be interesting.

 

“Justin…wants…people from here? At our wedding?” Amelia asks and Charlotte cringes at the barely controlled edge in her voice.

 

Lynn looks up at her bewildered. “Well, yeah,” she says, eyeing Amelia in a concerned way.

 

“He…he never mentioned it,” Amelia says, sniffing as she traces a finger through a thin dusting of flour on the counter.

 

Lynn’s head snaps up, her jaw dropping. “Never mentioned it! That boy I swear…” Lynn sighs and then turns to Charlotte. “Ever since he was little he talked about getting married in his grandfather’s church – his father’s dad, not mine – and he always said how he wanted the entire congregation there.” Lynn sighs, her eyes flitting to Amelia briefly before looking back down at the mixer. “Of course St. Thomas is going to be beautiful but I really can’t imagine him not mentioning the guest list.” She looks at Amelia who shrugs, feigning ignorance. “He never mentioned Mr. Stocklin?” She asks and Amelia shakes her head, smiling blandly. Lynn turns to Charlotte. “Mr. Stocklin has this plum suit.” Lynn giggles and Charlotte does too. “I’m talking purple. He wears it to every major event. I swear he’s had that thing for thirty years.”

 

Charlotte glances at Amelia who looks as if she’s going to faint, her face blanching whiter and whiter by the second. Charlotte can imagine that the thought of having Justin’s country bumpkin family friends at her swanky New York wedding is enough to make Amelia want to vomit. Charlotte can’t help but feel a little affronted. Even though she knows Amelia is an elitist, knows she won’t let anything get in the way of her idea of perfection, Charlotte thinks that something as important as your wedding day should be shared with people you love, even if they are wearing a purple suit.

 

“I can’t believe Justin never mentioned it,” Lynn says again, looking at Amelia incredulously.

 

“Well he’s busy,” Amelia snaps finally, clearing her throat before composing herself and forcing another smile. “It probably just slipped his mind.”

 

“Yes I’m sure you’re right,” Lynn sighs wiggling the mixer in the batter as it stutters slightly, the beaters slowing, bogged down by the sticky dough. “The clothing line’s spring collection is coming along nicely as I understand it,” she continues on, wiggling the mixer, pressing the speed higher and the stuttering sound gets louder. “Trace has been working non-stop on colors and…oh good lord,” she cuts off, muttering as the mixer dies and she tugs it from the batter.

 

She jostles it lightly, flicking at the speed switch, turning it down and then up again. All four women let out a squeal as the mixer whirs to life, flinging batter everywhere. Lynn works to turn the mixer off, laughing at herself and Charlotte and Ginger can’t help but laugh as well all of them gasping for breath by the time she finally gets the thing off. But Charlotte’s laughter dies almost immediately as her eyes fall on Amelia, whose face is turning red, her ice blue eyes staring down at the globs of batter stuck to her sweater.

 

“Oh gosh look at us,” Lynn says, wiping at the splatters on her own sweater, minimal but still there.

 

“This is Italian wool,” Amelia grits out and Charlotte fears her face may just explode. She’s never seen Amelia try to control her tantrums before. She’d be amused if she wasn’t so shocked.

 

“Oh no!” Ginger exclaims, forgetting about the mess and turning to Amelia. “Come on I’ll help you get it out.”

 

Charlotte watches dumbfounded as Ginger grabs Amelia’s arm and tugs her behind her, practically dragging her towards the doorway. “You’ll be just fine. Italian wool did you say? Gosh this feels nice! Where’d you buy it? Was it really expensive? I bet it was…”

 

Ginger’s voice fades as she drags Amelia down the hallway towards the bathroom, her words becoming indecipherable the farther she gets until it’s just a hum in the background. Lynn shakes her head sighing as she drops the mixer into the sink. Charlotte wipes the few dots of dough from her sweater with a dish towel.

 

“Well I think it’s mixed pretty good,” Lynn deadpans and Charlotte chuckles.

 

“Yeah,” she responds, shifting awkwardly as silence descends on them, Lynn bending to grab a cookie sheet from a cabinet under the counter.

 

“So,” Lynn says, straightening again as she sets the sheet on the counter. “How long have you worked for Amelia?”

 

“Oh…um…about three months now?” Charlotte asks, doing the math in her head and then nodding. “Yeah three months.”

 

 “It must be fun watching her and Justin bicker all the time,” Lynn says, dipping her fingers into the tub of butter and smoothing it along the bottom of the cookie pan.

 

Charlotte laughs, “Yeah…it’s…it’s an experience.”

 

Lynn smiles and doesn’t move her eyes from the cookie sheet as she says. “Do you and Justin even see each other much?”

 

Charlotte nods. “Yeah,” she says simply and as the silence stretches behind her statement she elaborates. “Well, a little. I’m kind of a go between really. A glorified messenger.” She chuckles to herself.

 

“Really? You seem like you two get a long so well,” Lynn says casually as she reaches into the bowl and rolls a ball of dough, placing it on the cookie sheet.

 

“Yeah, well I played pseudo-assistant for him a little...” Charlotte replies shrugging and reaching into the bowl and rolling a ball of dough between her palms. She looks up and finds Lynn gazing at her questioningly and Charlotte chuckles nervously. “Um…kinda a long story,” she sidesteps, not wanting to explain how that whole situation came about.

 

“Yeah he told me about his little golf escapade,” Lynn replies and Charlotte smiles before suppressing it quickly.

 

“Oh yeah I was with him for that little detour,” Charlotte responds and Lynn peers at her curiously. Charlotte clears her throat. “I still constantly had Amelia in my ear, though. so it was more like babysitting than assisting...” she trails, cringing. Justin is a grown man and doesn’t need to be babysat. “er…keeping him out of trouble… with her I mean.” She pauses again waiting for Lynn to say something and when she doesn’t Charlotte searches for something to fill the silence. “Sometimes they seem so odd for each other.”

 

She cringes again. This is what happens when people just let her run her mouth. She ends up sticking her foot in it. Lynn laughs and then looks at her for a moment as if debating, then she sighs.

 

“They are odd for each other,” Lynn says finally. She pauses and then adds. “They didn’t used to be. Amelia…” she pauses pursing her lips. “Amelia has changed a lot.”

 

Charlotte nods simply, dying to ask more questions. How had Amelia changed? It was almost impossible to see her as anything different than what she was. It was almost hard for Charlotte to remember why she had admired Amelia when she first started working for her. Was it really possible Charlotte ever thought Amelia was anything other than a domineering tyrant? That all seems so long ago.

 

“What, was she the one dragging him on golf outings on work days before?” Charlotte asks with a chuckle, hoping she sounds casual in her questions.

 

Lynn laughs. “No… no Amelia isn’t one for the outdoors.” She pauses rolling a wad of dough between her palms methodically. “It’s good he has someone to share those things with now. I’ve always said that lately he works too hard.”

 

Charlotte nods, shifting awkwardly. The way Lynn said it, it made her feel like she thought Justin and Charlotte spent a lot of time together. Which they sort of did, but not really in the friendly way that Lynn was implying. Well…actually they were friendly or something close to it. Their banter was scathing and rude a lot of times but you can really only say those kinds of things to friends right? Were they really friends now? It felt that way to her.

 

“Do you golf much?” Lynn asks and Charlotte laughs shaking her head. “No…no no that’s Justin’s thing,” she says and then frowns. She has no idea what his “things” are. Why did she say that? She feels her face begin to grow hot and she doesn’t quite understand why. “Justin tried to teach me how to swing but that’s the extent of my golf training.”

 

“Oh how did that go?” Lynn asks, chuckling to herself and Charlotte sighs.

 

“Let’s just say he’s a patient teacher.”

 

Lynn laughs. “Sounds like it was fun.”

 

“Oh yeah he had a great time,” Charlotte says, waving a hand dismissively and reaching for more dough.

 

“Well that’s good.” Lynn says, nodding her head firmly. “He needs to get out and enjoy himself more.”

 

Charlotte hums, nodding in agreement. They’re silent for a moment, Lynn pulling out forks and handing one to Charlotte to press into the dough, creating a cross hatch pattern on the top. The silence is comfortable this time, Charlotte feeling like she’s finally getting used to this conversation. She likes Lynn, she’s the typical southern mother she always imagined Justin to have, firm yet loving and kind of silly at times. She can see why Justin adores her so. Lynn clears her throat, shifting on her feet as she begins to speak.

 

“He seems…he seems happier. Actually…” she chuckles. “This is the happiest I’ve seen him in awhile.”

 

“Well I know he was really looking forward to coming home,” Charlotte says and Lynn beams. “It’s all he’s talked about for weeks.”

 

“That might be it,” Lynn says and then pauses before adding. “Also I think that having someone new in your life can bring out another side of you. You know what I mean?”

 

Charlotte nods, concentrating on making the perfect cross hatched square and then her brain jars. Someone new in Justin’s life? Charlotte’s heart seizes as she remembers that moment in Justin’s office, Patti straddling Justin’s legs. There’s no way that Lynn could know…Charlotte didn’t even know for sure. Lynn shifts her feet again and Charlotte shifts too her heart beginning to race. She really doesn’t want to be in the middle of this. If Lynn has questions about Patti and Justin she needed to ask Justin, maybe slap him around a little for being such an idiot. But by the look on Lynn’s face she has something on her mind, something she wants to talk about. Charlotte keeps her eyes on the cookie sheet, praying silently that she doesn’t ask. Just don’t ask. Please don’t ask her anything.

 

“Is... is there something... you and Justin… I mean you seem close and he seems like he really likes you…I wasn’t sure if…you two aren’t…” she chuckles unable to finish her sentence and Charlotte looks at her perplexed for a moment before it dawns on her.

 

“NO!” Charlotte practically shouts, her face flaming hot. “Oh god no! I would… I would never… I mean… not… not that there’s anything wrong with Justin… he’s great… really great… and funny… and charming and… erm… but… but no… no…. no no no.”

 

She laughs, a maniacal edge to it and Lynn laughs too, nodding as she looks down. She seems almost disappointed, concentrating as she presses a cross hatch on the last ball of dough. Charlotte swallows hard, trying to calm her racing heart and confusion settles over her. Why would Lynn want Justin to be messing around with her? It was clear that Amelia didn’t quite fit in to their little southern family no matter how hard Lynn tried to act otherwise but for her to hope that Justin would be with another woman…with her it was all so baffling. The silence around them is awkward now Charlotte watching her toes trace the lines between the tiles on the floor.

 

“You know…when Justin was little,” Lynn says picking up the cookie sheet and carrying it to the oven. “He used to love helping me bake. Of course I’d have to watch him and make sure he didn’t eat all the dough before I got it in the oven.” Lynn chuckles and Charlotte smiles, grateful for the change of subject.

 

“You two seem really close,” Charlotte says leaning against the counter and crossing her arms over her chest, noting how the shape of Justin’s face was very similar to his mother’s.

 

Lynn smiles. “Not as close as we used to be but…” she trails her eyes growing wide as something catches her eye just over Charlotte’s shoulder. “What on earth!

 

Charlotte turns to see two four wheelers streaking across the lawn, one chasing the other, the riders crouched low over the handlebars. She’s unable to tell which is which, both boys wearing black jackets over their sweatshirts, hoods pulled up and covering their heads. Lynn scoffs, stomping over to the door and ripping it open.

 

“JUSTIN RANDALL TIMBERLAKE IF YOU TEAR UP MY LAWN I WILL SKIN YOU ALIVE!”

 

The second quad turns, skidding on two wheels as it changes directions quickly, the rider jostling as all four wheels touch the ground again. It’s barreling towards the house and comes skidding to a stop about ten feet from the door, the rider hopping off and pushing the hood of his sweatshirt back and now Charlotte can see Justin’s wide grin. She takes a few steps around the island and pads over to the door, gasping when she sees that Justin is splattered from head to toe in mud and bracken. Trace is now climbing off the back of his own four-wheeler, shoving his hood back and shaking out his hair.

 

“Where are your helmets?” Lynn scolds, her hands on her hips and Justin ducks his head grinning sheepishly.

 

“Mom we’re just going around the neighborhood,” Justin says and then he sticks his head in the door. “It smells good in there.” He frowns looking around. “Where’s Amelia?”

 

“She got dough on her sweater,” Charlotte offers, moving to stand behind Lynn and Justin cringes.

 

“Trace Trace!”

 

Before Charlotte can fully comprehend what is going on a flash of red hair streaks past her and Trace lets out a quiet “oomph” as Ginger barrels into him, wrapping her arms and legs around his body. Trace staggers reaching out to grasp onto the side of the house with one arm so he doesn’t fall over while the other hooks under Ginger’s bottom, supporting her weight. Justin lets out a coughing laugh of amusement and both Lynn and Charlotte put a hand over their mouths to suppress their laughter.

 

“I missed you!” she exclaims, running her hands over his face. She gasps as she looks past him, seeing the ATVs parked haphazardly on the lawn. “You didn’t tell me you were going four wheeler riding!” she exclaims unwrapping herself from Trace and bouncing over to one of the quads. “Can we go for a ride? Please! Please!”

 

“Um…” Trace says as Ginger runs her hand along the seat of the four wheeler. “We’re kinda…um…we were just…”

 

His voice trails off as Ginger’s eyes go wide and Charlotte can practically see her lip trembling, her blue eyes large and innocent. In that moment Charlotte would have given Ginger anything she wanted, so Trace really didn’t stand a chance.

 

“Sure,” he says finally, his eyes slightly dreamy and Ginger squeals, throwing her arms around him again.

 

“Just lemme get my shoes!” she exclaims, running back into the house and disappearing down the hallway.

 

Justin grins. “You are so whipped,” he says and Trace glares at him.

 

“Did you see her ass?” Trace mutters and Lynn scoffs slapping him on the arm. He cringes. “I mean…she’s a nice girl.”

 

“Uh huh,” Justin says skeptically.

 

Trace narrows his eyes. “Where’s your Prada bag, J?” he asks smirking and Justin’s ears turn red, pursing his lips. “It would go really nicely with the ensemble you’ve got going on.”

 

“I’m never gonna live that down am I?” Justin asks with a sigh and Trace laughs shaking his head.

 

“Okay I’m ready!” Ginger exclaims bouncing back into the kitchen, looping an arm through Trace’s and leaning into him.

 

“I should go find Amelia…see if she wants to go,” Justin says with a sigh as he moves to step into the house.

 

“Oh she’s in the shower,” Ginger says, rubbing her hand slowly over Trace’s chest. “She had some dough in her hair. I couldn’t see it but she insisted she did. I told her it was just a few globs on the sweater. I hope it’s not ruined it’s so cute! Did you know it’s a Valentino!

 

Charlotte has to bite her lip to keep from laughing. She has a feeling the dough in Amelia’s hair is really more of a ploy to get rid of Ginger than anything else. Justin smiles back at her politely and Trace just shakes his head, letting his hand rest on her hip.

 

“That’s nice dear,” Lynn says smiling at Ginger who shrugs looking up at Trace.

 

“Can we go now?” she asks, bouncing slightly.

 

“Yeah, let’s just go,” Justin says and they turn to leave but Justin stops, turning to look at Charlotte. “Hey Charlie…you wanna come?” he asks tugging his head backward towards the yard and Trace looks at his best friend, his eyes narrowing just slightly as he looks between him and Charlotte.

 

“Yeah Charlotte it’ll be fun!” Ginger exclaims with such childlike enthusiasm Charlotte can’t help but laugh.

 

“Um…okay,” she replies and then looks at Justin hesitantly. “Is that…is that okay?”

 

“No you can't go,” Justin deadpans and then pretends to smack her upside the head. “Of course it’s fine.”

 

“Just lemme get my shoes,” she says and she jogs back up the stairs and into her room, tugging her beat up tennis shoes out of her bag.

 

She pulls them on as she walks back out into the hall, hopping on one foot and then the other, not even bothering to undo the laces. When she hits the bottom step again she hears the four wheelers roar to life. Lynn is pulling the cookies out of the oven and Charlotte gives her a short wave as she steps out into the cold December air.

Chapter 12 pt 2 by SomethingBlue42

It’s warmer here than in New York, Charlotte muses and while it’s still cold the wind doesn’t quite bite at her the same way it did in the city. Justin is sitting on one quad his hood pulled back up over his head and shouting to Trace over the roar of the engine. He catches sight of Charlotte out of the corner of his eye and smiles.

 

“Hey Charlie, hop on,” he says nodding his head back behind him and Charlotte steps up to him then hesitates.

 

The remaining bit of seat that isn’t taken up by Justin’s slim frame seems ridiculously small to Charlotte and it’s glaringly clear to her now how intimate this is going to be, her arms around his waist, his back pressed to her front. She glances back at the kitchen, wondering if Lynn is watching. Maybe this isn’t a good idea.

 

“Earth to Al!” Justin exclaims and Charlotte jumps finding him looking at her expectantly. “Come on.”

 

She swallows hard, hesitantly placing her hands on his shoulders for balance as she swings her leg over the quad and settles behind him, keeping as much space between the two of them as possible. She rests her hands awkwardly against his waist as she settles behind him, the hum of the ATV vibrating her entire body. She gasps as Justin’s cold fingers curl around hers and he yanks her arms more fully around him, forcing her body flush against his.

 

“You’re gonna have to hold on,” he says over his shoulder as he revs the engine and before Charlotte even has a chance to think he takes off like a shot jumping twenty feet in a matter of seconds.

 

Charlotte gasps, her fingers digging into his chest, arms locking tightly around his body as gravitational force nearly sends her tumbling off the back of the quad. She feels Justin’s laugh vibrate against her chest and she scowls. She peeks out around his shoulder and her eyes widen when she sees them streaking towards the tree line, Trace and Ginger flying on ahead of them, Ginger’s hair whipping out behind her like a flame. Charlotte ducks her head back behind Justin’s shoulder as they race towards the thicket of trees and she closes her eyes, listening to the soft fwt as they cross the tree line and the sound multiplies tenfold, the ride turning bumpy as they race through the forest.

 

Charlotte takes it back, it’s freezing here. The wind bites at her hands and face, whipping her hair wildly off her neck, stinging her eyes. She shivers, trying to pull herself closer to Justin, savoring the warmth his body provides. She presses her cheek to his shoulder, trying to shield her face from the brutal wind, closing her eyes.

 

She lets out a soft squeal as they skid to a halt and she opens her eyes to find them deep in the heart of the woods, trees surrounding them, the gray sky visible in patches through the bare branches. Justin kills the engine and Charlotte scoots back as he stands, swinging his leg over to the side, hopping to the ground as he shrugs off his coat.

 

“Here,” he says holding it out to her and she pulls her arms to her chest suddenly freezing without his body next to hers.

 

“N-n-no I’m f-f-fine,” Charlotte replies her teeth chattering and Justin laughs.

 

“Yeah you’re f-f-fine,” he teases and shakes the coat at her. “Put it on.”

 

Charlotte does so reluctantly but she’s instantly grateful as his residual body warmth envelops her and the warm clean scent of him surrounds her. She pulls the zipper up and bunches her shoulders, trying to warm her ears.

 

“Here put your hood up,” he says tapping his own head, covered by the cloth of his hoodie.


Charlotte nods, reaching over her head and trying to fish out her hood from under his coat. She struggles and he laughs, sighing as he reaches to help her. She shudders as his cold fingers brush the warm skin at the back of her neck, wrestling the fabric out from under the coat.

 

“Move your hair,” he says and she reaches up, gathering her long locks in her hands and pulling it over her shoulder as he pulls the hood firmly over her head.

 

She looks down, trying to tuck her hair back into the hood and jumps as Justin unzips the coat a little to find the drawstring, pulling it tight until it covers her eyes. Charlotte slaps blindly at him and she can hear him laugh as his cool fingertips brush her face, loosening the hood from her face until she can see and then tying a smart bow under her chin.

 

“There,” he says, leaning back to admire his work and Charlotte looks at him. Really looks at him for the first time.

 

Little tufts of brown curls peek out from under the hood of his sweatshirt, fuzzing against his forehead and his cheeks are pink and wind burned. He’s standing stiffly, all his muscles tense from the cold and Charlotte feels bad for taking his jacket but he’s smiling, clearly happy to provide for her. And he’s sweet and charming and utterly and devastatingly beautiful.

 

Charlotte gasps at the thought, looking away immediately and biting her lip lest that thought creep out of her mouth against her will. She sits very still, her eyes unseeing as she assesses every little movement of her body, every thought in her head. Her heart is thudding steadily but a little quicker than usual, adrenaline racing through her veins. That’s just from the ATV ride right? It had nothing to do with the fact that Justin had just touched her face, the back of her neck, her hair. Her muscles are tense, her stomach fluttering but that had everything to do with the cold and nothing to do with the way he was smiling at her or the fact that he was so near. Right?

 

When had this happened? Between calling the florists and emailing the caterers, the nonstop meetings and endless filing, where did Charlotte have time to develop a crush?

 

“Come on let’s get you back,” Justin says finally and Charlotte nearly falls off the back of the quad, so horrified by her realization she’d almost forgotten he was there.

 

He swings his leg back over the ATV and Charlotte doesn’t move, holding her arms to her chest, her freezing hands shaking in one another. How could this have happened? How could she have let this happen? Justin was engaged. To her boss of all people. Of all the horrible rotten luck. Justin fires up the four wheeler and looks over his shoulder at her confused when she doesn’t grab on.

 

“You can put your hands in my pocket if you need to,” he hollers over the roar of the engine and Charlotte’s mouth falls open.

 

He reaches behind him and tugs her elbows, drawing her arms around his waist before guiding her hands into the pouch of his hoodie like it’s nothing and before Charlotte even has a chance to rectify the situation he’s punching the gas sending them barreling through the woods.

 

“I just have to find Trace,” he hollers over his shoulder as they barrel deeper into the woods.

 

They cut zigzags around the trees racing along, Justin’s head whipping around every now and then when he thinks he sees or hears something. Trace and Ginger reappear in a flash as they drift to a halt right next to them, spraying Justin and Charlotte with mud and dead leaves. Justin curses him vehemently but laughs as he chases Trace back through the woods

 

Charlotte’s arms grip around Justin’s waist tightly, her hands warm inside the pocket of his hoodie, pressed against his stomach. This is really a bad idea, the worst idea she could have ever had. Well technically it wasn’t her idea; it was Justin’s. She didn’t even want to begin to try and decipher what that meant. She gasps as they turn sharply, the tires spinning and spraying mud all over her pants and shoes. She hugs him tighter, holding on as he presses the quad to go faster and before she knows it they break the tree line and Justin’s house shines like a beacon in the late morning gloom.

 

They race around the side yard toward the garage where the back door stands open, revealing a large empty space for the ATVs and a few motorcycles. Justin and Trace each race for the opening and Charlotte ducks her head, pressing her cheek hard against Justin’s shoulder blade just waiting for the impact. But it doesn’t come, only the slight jostle of changing from grass to concrete and Justin’s laughter as he kills the engine, Trace idling in behind him.

 

Charlotte unwinds her arms from around Justin’s waist, horrified at the feeling of reluctance the action brings.  She slides quickly off the back, trying to put as much distance between them as possible but he doesn’t seem to notice, too busy gloating over the fact that he won, Trace rolling his eyes and stalking out of the garage. Ginger falls in next to Charlotte as they follow the boys back towards the house.

 

“That was fun!” she exclaims, running her fingers through her matted red locks, picking out clumps of dirt and dried leaves. “You and Justin must be pretty close.”

 

“What? Why would you say that?” Charlotte asks, her voice panicked and she swallows hard, trying to calm her racing heart.

 

“Well he let you have his jacket,” Ginger says laughing and shaking her head as if to say “silly.” “And Trace said he doesn’t let just anyone hang out with him like this. Says he’s really private.”

 

“Really?” Charlotte asks her brows furrowing in confusion.

 

She looks at Justin, whose back is to her, still gloating to Trace. Justin is one of the most open people she has ever met. Was this Trace’s way of letting Ginger down easy if Justin didn’t like her?

 

“Yeah,” Ginger says nodding as if she were the authority on such things. “Of course he’s really nice and charming to everyone but he doesn’t just let people in like he did with you and me. Like he’ll be polite and stuff but he doesn’t wanna hang out with just anyone. Like when he took you golfing before.”

 

Charlotte stops. “He told you about the golfing?” Her eyes snap to Justin whose head is tipped back in laughter as he disappears around the side of the house.

 

“Yeah!” Ginger exclaims nodding enthusiastically. “Er…well… he told Trace and Trace told me.” Ginger smiles shrugging her shoulders. “He doesn’t tell me much about Justin. Which why would he really they’re not that close anymore. Trace doesn’t like Amelia. I have no idea why because I think Amelia is just amazing! But anyway its kinda weird that Justin dragged you along to the driving range, that he usually would have just left you at the office or something.”

 

Ginger shrugs, swinging her arms, sighing as they round the house and Charlotte feels a little queasy. She had just thought that Justin was a nice, all inclusive kind of guy. Could Ginger be right? Did he really like her that much? Her stomach flutters at the thought and she nearly chokes on her sharp intake of breath, trying to pass it off as a cough.

 

She really doesn’t need this, she thinks as they catch up to the boys at the back door, Justin holding the door open for everyone. He’s engaged for chrissake. He’s in love with Amelia. He’d have to be to let her treat him the way he did. She will not fall into this. She will remain professional. She says this like a mantra in her head as she files past him but loses track of the thought when he smiles warmly at her, his eyes crinkling at the corners.

 

Okay so she can have a crush. That she can deal with. It’s not like she has to act on any of these feelings. She would just have to deal with the butterflies and learn to suppress the goofy smile on her face every time he looked at her. She mentally kicks herself.

 

“JUSTIN what on earth…you’re FILTHY! What have you been doing!”

 

Everyone freezes finding Amelia standing from the kitchen table wearing a navy cardigan blouse with white shirting near the shoulder seams. She looks absolutely horrified at the sight in front of her and Charlotte looks down at herself as well as the others, finding herself caked in mud. She really hadn’t realized before. She was too busy concentrating on how warm Justin was. She mentally kicks herself again. Harder this time.

 

Justin grins at Amelia, pushing past the rest of them to stand in the middle of the kitchen, his shoes leaving muddy footprints on the white tile. Amelia looks at him wide eyed as he takes another step closer.

 

“Hey sugar,” he coos grinning innocently and Amelia narrows her eyes.

 

“You stay right there,” Amelia warns, holding a hand out in alarm.

 

“Come on baby give daddy a kiss,” Justin replies cheekily as he reaches out for her, taking another step forward.

 

Amelia scoffs. “I most certainly will not….stop…no…JUSTIN!”

 

Justin doesn’t listen as he snatches her to his chest and it’s a wonder how he’s able to keep a hold of her with her flailing the way she is. He picks her up effortlessly, throwing her small frame over his shoulder and she’s still shouting, kicking her legs as he bolts for the door, sprinting across the lawn.

 

They all watch in amusement and slight horror as Justin falls to his knees and wrestles Amelia to the ground, rolling her in the dirt and dried leaves. They can hear Amelia squawking at him, her fists pounding against his chest as she tries to right herself and he laughs wrestling her down again. Amelia struggles against him, pushing Justin’s chest hard and he falls backwards onto the grass and she tries to crawl away.       

 

“Oh would you look at them!” Ginger says, clasping her hands to her chest giddily. “They’re having so much fun! So in love.” She sighs whimsically.

 

Charlotte gazes out onto the lawn and the look on Amelia’s face is anything but loving.

 

“The man’s got a death wish,” Trace says, shaking his head as he turns back towards the kitchen island, snatching a warm cookie off the plate. Ginger frowns following him.

 

“You don’t want to be like them someday?” she asks and Charlotte thinks she hears Trace choke on his cookie.

 

But Charlotte isn’t paying them much attention as she watches Amelia struggle to pull herself to her feet, face contorted in anger, her mouth moving silently. Charlotte can only imagine what she’s saying. Something along the lines of “most childish impossible man” she would imagine. But Justin just laughs, biting his lip as he reaches for her hips, snatching her back down into his lap and the look of panic on Amelia’s face as she tumbles backwards causes Charlotte to cover her mouth with her hand to suppress her laughter.

 

Her heart twists in her chest when he doesn’t let her go, grinning and squeezing her under her ribs until she quits struggling and she can see his lips moving slow, talking to Amelia quietly and a slow grin creeps over his face when Amelia’s scowl begins to break and he laughs when she shoves his shoulder, annoyed at being charmed out of her anger. Charlotte turns away from the window just before Justin’s lips descend on Amelia’s, something similar to jealousy burning in her chest.

 

This is not good, she thinks to herself, chewing her bottom lip slowly. She shakes her head. She’s being ridiculous. It’s just a stupid crush. She’s had them off and on since she was nine years old and not much ever came of any of them. Why would now be any different. So she was attracted to Justin – her eye catches sight of a framed picture of him sitting on a hutch next to the door, seemingly taken at the beach several years ago, his hair fuzzing wildly, blue eyes squinted against the sun – who wouldn’t be attracted to Justin.

 

Charlotte would just have to deal with it. She would do her job. She would be polite and helpful and remain as professional as possible. This was her plan.

 

Because it worked so well the first time.

Chapter 13 by SomethingBlue42

“Come on Amelia. One drink.”

 

“For the fourteenth time, no Tracey.”

 

Trace’s eyes narrow at the beautiful blond woman sitting across the room from him, regal even in her cream silk pajamas, before he purses his lips and bites back the reply that’s burning in his throat. Charlotte bites her lip to hide her smile, tapping her half empty bottle of Bud against the wicker armrest of the patio chair she’s sitting in. After a huge dinner of fried pork chops, mashed potatoes, collard greens and corn on the cob, the “kids” as Justin’s grandmother, Sadie, had put it, had retired to the sun porch just off the kitchen to sit and chat, or more so drink and banter. It was chilly but not freezing, a few space heaters humming around the tight circle of furniture keeping its occupants if not comfortable then warm enough. Justin’s cousin Rachel was laying across the wicker sofa, her legs draped over Trace’s thighs, his arm flung on the back of the sofa, his long legs sprawled out in front of him. Their significant others had left early, Ginger claiming to have to get to work early in the morning, her eyes flitting to Amelia the entire time she rattled off all the things she had to do, and Rachel’s husband, Brad, had offered to let them hangout, taking their sleeping daughter home for the evening. Justin and Amelia sit side by side on the love seat, Amelia’s legs curled beneath her and she leans heavily on Justin, his arm resting easily around her shoulders. Charlotte can’t help but think that to the outside observer they would look comfortable and in love but all she can see is how Amelia is pushed against him so she will have more room on the couch and that his arm is around her because he really doesn’t have room to put it anywhere else.

 

“Who’s ready for dessert?” Sadie asks, nudging the screen door open with her hip, while holding up plates of steaming cobbler watching her feet as she descends the two steps onto the sun porch.

 

Justin stands immediately at the scent of warm peaches fills his nose and he’s eight years old at his grandparent’s kitchen table, chewing slowly and listening to his Grandfather’s newest joke. Amelia scoffs, nearly toppling into the empty space now left by his body as he steps forward to take the plates from his grandmother who does her best to suppress her smile. Justin snatches both plates, shoving one into Charlotte’s hands without even really paying attention to who he was handing it to and moving to take his seat again. Amelia eyes his plate disapprovingly as he licks his lips, his fork poised to rip into the flaky crust.

 

“You’re not going to eat that entire piece are you?” Amelia asks right before the tines of his fork pierce a hunk of peach and he looks over at her, blinking slowly.

 

“Damn straight I am,” he says before shoveling a huge bite into his mouth nearly moaning at the old familiar taste, not even hearing Amelia’s huff of annoyance.

 

“Don’t curse…and don’t eat so fast,” she pokes his shoulder receiving a nod from him in return and Charlotte thinks she catches him almost roll his eyes. She smirks. Good to know that not even Amelia can get between Justin and food.

 

Sadie comes back out with two more plates and moves to hand one to Amelia who holds up her hand and smiles sweetly.

 

“No, none for me. Justin and I are sharing,” she says, smiling brilliantly and even though Charlotte has seen it before she is momentarily dazzled. Amelia can be incredibly charming from the outside.

 

Justin’s head snaps up, looking at his fiancé as if he were debating telling her no but his shoulders curl when she raises an eyebrow at him, daring him to challenge her. Come on Justin, Charlotte thinks, just this once…But she sighs, disappointed as he offers Amelia a bite from his fork which she takes, albeit somewhat reluctantly.

 

“Hey do we have ice cream?” Justin asks moving to shovel more cobbler into his mouth and Amelia places a hand on his arm, giving a slight shake of her head. Charlotte thinks she hears Sadie grit her teeth. “Never mind it’s better this way,” he adds quickly, moving to take another bite but Amelia pokes him in the ribs and the fork stops halfway to his mouth, pursing his lips as he offers it to her instead.

 

“Okay,” Sadie says with a sigh handing Rachel and Trace the plates in her hands. “We’re headin’ home,” she adds as she pads back over to Justin who looks up at her. “You kids have fun.”

 

She leans down, cupping Justin’s face as she places a kiss on top of his curly head. Charlotte can’t help but grin at the satisfied smile that plays over Justin’s full lips, clearly enjoying being close to his family again. Sadie pats Amelia on the shoulder warmly and receives a tight smile in return and Charlotte can feel Amelia’s ‘don’t touch me’ vibes from where she sits across the room. Sadie’s eyes turn on Rachel and Trace who are both gobbling up their cobbler as fast as they can, their eyes on each other, trying to force themselves not to laugh. Sadie rolls her eyes, chuckling to herself.

 

“You two are gonna choke. It’s not a race!”

 

Just then Trace drops his plate and fork with a clatter to the table, his hands flying in the air as he struggles to swallow the food in his mouth.

 

“DONE!” he exclaims and Rachel howls in protest, trying to talk with her mouth full.

 

“’Ooooooo…’ou ‘idn’t e’en ‘inish!” She swallows hard. “You still have some crust right there!”

 

“I won,” Trace exclaims shimmying a little in his seat and Rachel rolls her eyes, nudging him in the stomach with her foot, scowling playfully at him.

 

Sadie shakes her head in mock disapproval, turning to Charlotte with a sigh. “Still act like they’re nine years old.” She pats Charlotte on the shoulder, her fingers squeezing affectionately before disappearing back into the house.

 

Charlotte shrugs her shoulders feeling warm and full. She’s not sure if it’s the food, the alcohol, or the company or maybe a combination of all three but she feels at home. She loves Justin’s joking grandfather and sweet grandmother. She adores his quiet father and doting mother. She loves his dumbass best friend and his smartass cousin. She loves that they accepted her like she was one of the family. She loves that she feels like one of the family.

 

“I am in need of another drink,” Trace says as he pulls himself up from the couch, Rachel nearly toppling off the side as he lets her legs fall from on top of his. He smirks down at her, snatching her plate. “You want another one?”

 

“Sure,” she replies with a shrug. “Brad’s on baby duty tonight,” she adds with a satisfied sigh.

 

“J?” Trace questions, holding out his hand to take his plate from him and Justin hands it over somewhat reluctantly.

 

“Yeah,” Justin replies, draining the last of his bottle before setting it down on the table.

 

“You want another one?” Amelia asks quietly, but not quietly enough so that everyone can’t hear.

 

“Yeah,” he replies, turning his head towards her to muffle the sound and she scoffs.

 

“You’ve already had two,” Amelia says and Justin sighs.

 

“We’re on vacation,” he says and then nudges her. “You want some wine or something? I think we’ve got a chardonnay from Grinder’s Switch.” Amelia blinks at him. “That winery near Nashville Mom took us to a few summers ago,” he adds and Amelia shudders.

 

“No,” she says shaking her head. “I’m fine really.” She forces another smile at Trace who sighs turning to Charlotte.

 

“Charlotte you want another?” Trace asks and Charlotte hums, her mouth full of cobbler.

 

“’nyo,” she blushes, putting a hand over her mouth forcing herself to swallow. “No, I’m still working on mine.” Trace smiles, shaking his head as he turns to go back into the kitchen.

 

“That’s good huh?” Justin asks and Charlotte looks up to find him eyeing her plate. She looks down at it and then at him again.

 

“Yeah, it really is,” Charlotte replies as Trace shuffles back in, his fingers wrapped around bottle necks, distributing them out. She contemplates offering the rest to Justin and then saying “too bad” when he accepts but she thinks better of it with one glance at Amelia.

 

“There’s more in there dude,” Trace says flopping back next to Rachel, popping the top off his beer.

 

Justin hums in thought eyeing the kitchen door. Amelia leans more fully on him as if her body weight would actually keep him in his seat. He wants more cobbler. He’d be lying if he said it wasn’t one of the main things he was looking forward to on this trip. But Amelia has him on this ridiculous training regimen for the wedding. At first he thought his trainer was pissed at him or something but it was only after he’d ran eight miles on the treadmill, upped his weight training by twenty pounds, and practically bent himself into a pretzel that he was told that Amelia had made a call. Amelia always made all the calls. He purses his lips before letting out a sigh and pulling himself to his feet. His knees pop loudly and he winces, Trace chuckling slightly, looking at his friend amused. Amelia huffs annoyed at her fiancé’s blatant disregard to her wishes, folding her arms across her chest.

 

“Need your cane there old man?” he says grinning cheekily at his friend who gives him a wry smile in return.

 

“You try dancing every day and night for fifteen years and we’ll see how your knees sound,” he replies as he makes his way to the kitchen door, the screen banging in his wake.

 

“Yeah yeah we all know what’s coming up in January,” Rachel calls, grinning conspiratorially with Trace and Charlotte looks at them confused. “Justin’s birthday is next month,” she adds to Charlotte who nods, her lips forming a silent “oh” of understanding.

 

“Shut up!” is the muffled reply from inside the house and Charlotte laughs along with Trace and Rachel.

 

“Thirty is a big deal, man,” Trace says as Justin descends the stairs back onto the sun porch, a large plate of cobbler in his hand.

 

“No…no it’s really not,” Justin says with a sigh as he settles down next to Amelia again who is now sitting rigidly in her seat, her arms crossed over her chest.

 

“You gotta do something. It’s your birthday,” Rachel says, taking a swig of her beer watching Justin shovel cobbler into his mouth and shake his head at her. “You gotta celebrate stuff like that J. Trust me, having a kid makes you realize that milestones are important.”

 

“I’s ‘ot ah ile’one,” Justin protests and then swallows before repeating. “It’s not a milestone. It’s me being old.”

 

“You gotta do something. Nice dinner?” Rachel suggests, looking from Trace to Charlotte for approval.

 

“Maybe drinks afterward,” Trace adds.

 

“A party.”

 

Everyone in the room turns in shock towards Amelia who for the first time in several days looks elated. Justin blinks over at her slowly before chuckling lightly to himself, pushing his food around on his plate.

 

“No babe…no I don’t need a party.”

 

“Oh come on Justin!” Amelia exclaims patting his forearm. “It’ll be fun. And it’s your birthday.” She grits her teeth. “Rachel and Trace are right. You need to do something special.”

 

Trace laughs. “What was that Amelia? I didn’t quite hear…something about me being right?”

 

Amelia ignores him. “We can invite all our friends. We could have it at 583!” She glances at Charlotte. “Write this down-”

 

“No! No…no!” Justin says as Charlotte looks around for a pen and paper. “583 Park holds like a thousand people. Amelia I really don’t want this to be a big deal,” he says quietly and watches her face fall.

 

“Why don’t you just have it at your place,” Trace offers and Rachel nods.

 

“Yeah then just your closest friends,” Rachel adds.

 

“DUDE!” Trace exclaims and Amelia jumps in surprise, pressing a hand to her chest as Trace reaches across to slap Justin on the arm with the back of his hand. “You could do a theme party! Like remember for your twenty-first you did that white trash theme. With the Twinkie cake!”

 

Justin grins. “Oh yeeeeeeah that was fun!”

 

“A…white trash party?” Amelia asks, looking at Justin incredulously and he grins back at her.

 

“Yeah it was a blast! We could do something like that,” Justin muses, looking up at the ceiling as he thinks.

 

“No!” Amelia exclaims and everyone turns to look at her.

 

“A party was your idea Amelia,” Trace responds grinning at her and she narrows her eyes back at him.

 

“Yes but, Justin,” she turns to sit on her hip, facing him and he looks at her warily as she takes his hand in both of hers. “Darling you already did a,” she swallows hard, “white trash party. You should do something else…be more well rounded.” She pats his hand for emphasis.

 

“Yeah she’s right I don’t wanna have the same party twice,” Justin says looking back at Trace and then facing forward again, thinking.

 

“What about toga?” Trace asks and Justin’s face lights up.

 

“TOGA TOGA TOGA!” They chant together and Amelia cringes as they chuckle.

 

“I like it,” Justin says. “Toga it is! Happy birthday to me!” He grins as he brings his beer bottle to his lips taking a hearty swig.

 

“Yes…” Amelia says shifting. “Charlotte, make a note to call the caterers when we get back. And the florist. Oh and we’ll need gift bags-”

 

“Amelia,” Justin chides and she purses her lips.

 

“What, it’s a party Justin you’ll need food…and incentive to be there,” Amelia bristles, squaring her shoulders as she searches for her blackberry. “I need to write this down. Charlotte-”

 

“Shouldn’t the incentive be that it’s my birthday and my friends want to celebrate it with me?” Justin asks incredulously as he brings his beer to his lips again and Amelia blinks at him.

 

“Well of course but people expect things when they come to parties,” Amelia replies looking at him.

 

“Yeah some cake and for him to be there,” Trace replies. “Oh and alcohol.” He winks cheekily taking a swig from his beer and Justin laughs.

 

“Are you laughing?” Amelia asks Justin who coughs, pulling his face into a serious expression.

 

“No. No of course not,” he replies seriously but he catches Trace’s eye and coughs out another laugh.

 

Amelia narrows her eyes. “Do you think this is a joke? I’m trying to do something nice for your birthday-”

 

“No, of course not babe I-”

 

“You know you’re no fun at all when you drink,” she snaps and Trace has to cover his mouth with his hand to muffle his laughter. Charlotte and Rachel both look at their laps. “I think I’m going to bed,” Amelia says standing and Justin sighs, unmoving taking another deep swig of his beer. “Are you coming?”

 

“It’s eleven o’clock,” Justin replies blinking at her slowly and she presses her lips into a thin line of irritation before turning her heel and stomping back into the house.

 

“Way to stand up for yourself there J,” Trace mocks and Justin cuts his eyes at him, sipping his beer.

 

“She’ll get over it,” Justin replies with a shrug, all the while thinking back to where his mother keeps the extra blankets incase he had to sleep on the couch.

 

“I especially liked ‘It’s eleven o’clock,’” Trace sniggers and Charlotte ducks her head further down wishing for Trace to just shut up.

 

“What!” Justin exclaims, his ears turning pink. “It is!”

 

“Yeah it is as opposed to ‘I don’t want to yet, Amelia.’” Trace rolls his eyes and chuckles bringing his beer to his lips. “Take off your purse and grow a set, dude.”

 

Justin scowls, draining the last of his beer, pulling himself to his feet and Charlotte has had enough. It’s bad enough that he has to take it from Amelia but he didn’t need a running commentary from his best friend too. She brings her bottle to her lips, draining the last of her beer before dangling the bottle in the air.

 

“I’ll take another one Justin if you’re going in,” she says and he nods silently, taking the bottle from her. She takes a deep breath before adding, “And none of that pansy ass light shit Trace is drinking.”

 

All movement stops and everyone turns to look at Trace who has stopped with his beer halfway to his lips, looking at her wide eyed over the rim of his bottle. Rachel coughs out a laugh, bringing her hand up to cover her mouth quickly to muffle the sound and Justin grins slowly, crossing his arms over his chest regarding Trace with a raised eyebrow. Trace blinks slowly before chuckling and shaking his head.

 

“I like you,” he says, jabbing a finger at her and she grins back at him. “I like this girl,” he says to Rachel who just laughs, nodding in agreement. “Yeah J don’t bring me anymore of this – what was it?” he asks looking at Charlotte.

 

“Pansy ass light shit,” Justin provides for him with a snigger as he climbs the stairs to the house. “Don’t worry I got ya’ll covered,” he adds as the screen door bangs shut behind him and Charlotte can’t help but grin at the southern drawl in his voice.

 

***

 

“And then…” Trace says through gasping laughter, trying to raise his voice over Rachel’s coughing cackle and Charlotte’s wheezing for breath as her stomach cramps with laughter. “Then he fuckin’ got cracked in the head with a goddamn water bottle. Some fuckin’ concert.”

 

“Oh yeah it was just fucking HILARIOUS,” Justin replies, his voice dripping with sarcasm but he ruins it by giggling. He turns his glassy eyed gaze to Charlotte, who’s wiping her eyes, crying from laughing so hard. “One of the biggest crowds I ever played and they fucking hated me.”

 

“Because you were in the line up with the fucking Rolling Stones and AC/DC and shit,” Trace says, waving his glass and Jack and Coke sloshes onto the carpet. “Whoops,” he says giggling as he rubs the spot with his shoe, receiving a chorus of giggles from everyone around him. “Pishure…Picshure” he frowns trying to form the word correctly. He shakes his head. “Envision it,” he says grinning drunkenly and they all giggle. “The Rolling Stones. The Who. AC/DC…and Justin fucking Timberlake.”

 

They all burst into giggles Justin nearly rolling off the loveseat and onto the floor with the force of it. Charlotte brings her glass to her lips again, nearly dumping half of the contents down her front but catching most of it as it dribbles down her chin, sucking her bottom lip into her mouth noisily, receiving a giggle from Rachel in return. She’s really really drunk. Charlotte hasn’t been this drunk since college. God, college was fun. She remembers doing things like this with her friends on Friday nights. John and Lakyn and Tim and Evie and her all laid across the futons in her dorm room at NYU just drinking themselves silly and laughing until the wee hours of the morning.

 

“I think I should change my name to that,” Justin drawls slowly, tipping his head back to try and look at Trace without getting up but only really succeeds in making blood rush to his head. “Justin FUCKING Timberlake.” He giggles.

 

“Doin’ a lot of fuckin these days huh J?” Trace teases and Rachel makes a face, taking a hearty gulp from her drink.

 

“Please Amelia’s an ice princess,” Rachel replies with a snigger. “Her thighs are probably frozen together.”

 

Trace lets out a booming laugh and so does Charlotte. Justin scowls before chuckling a little himself.

 

“His dick would probably freeze off,” Charlotte slurs and then slaps a hand over her mouth trying to stop the words but it’s too late.

 

Everyone’s eyes widen before they all burst into laughter, Trace sliding off the sofa and onto the floor as he holds his stomach gasping for air. Even Justin lets out a nervous chuckle, raising his glass to her before taking a big gulp from it.

 

“I fucking love you Charlie,” Trace says and Justin’s head snaps up, narrowing his eyes at his best friend.

 

“Fuck you only I get to call her that,” Justin snaps, sniggering as he takes another gulp of his drink.

 

“Fuck you,” Trace spats quickly before looking at Charlotte blearily. “Seriously you’re awesome. We should get married or some shit.”

 

Charlotte giggles. “Oh…well since you proposed so romantically...”

 

“She’s not gonna marry you asshole,” Justin says, smacking Trace’s shoulder hard and Charlotte giggles.

 

“What I could!” she exclaims bringing her glass to her lips and then stops. “Well there’s Ginger…”

 

“Oh yeah,” Trace says and then grins stupidly. “Ginger…RAWR”

 

“You’re such a pig,” Rachel chuckles, slapping him on the arm.

 

“You’re just jealous,” Trace smirks wiggling his eyebrows at her. “I always knew you had a thing for me.”

 

They all burst out laughing except for Trace who looks around offended, exclaiming “What?” before dissolving into laughter himself.

 

“Fuck all of you,” he says finally, reaching onto the table for the near empty bottle of Jack Daniels, knocking it over with a loud clank of glass falling on glass.

 

“Stop you stupid ass,” Rachel exclaims, slapping his hand away and picking up the bottle and unscrewing the cap. “You’re gonna fuckin’ break shit.”

 

“I’m not breakin nothing,” Trace scoffs, watching as Rachel refills his glass, the amber liquid splashing over the ice cubes. “Where’s the soda?”

 

“We drank it all,” Justin replies with a giggle as he holds his glass above his head, watching the light splinter off the cubes of ice and the brownish gold mixture in his glass.

 

“Well I guess I’ll just have to drink it straight then,” Trace replies with a lazy grin as he takes a sip, smacking his lips. “It’s better that way anyway.”

 

“You’re gonna hate yourself in the morning,” Charlotte says with a giggle and Trace smirks at her.

 

“Not if I wake up next to you darlin’” he drawls and wiggles his eyebrows, sending Charlotte and Rachel both into peals of laughter.

 

“I told you already mother fucker she’s too good for you,” Justin says, cutting his eyes at his best friend and Charlotte stops laughing her eyes meeting his across the room and he grins widely at her.

 

“She is not!” Trace exclaims, clanking his glass down on the table hard and Rachel laughs loudly, reaching out to close her hands around Trace’s on his glass to muffle the sound, shushing him but it comes out more of a slur than anything else. “She likes me,” Trace adds grinning cheekily and Charlotte laughs, shaking her hair out sexily and giving him a coy wink which causes them all to dissolve into fits of laughter.

 

“Charlie doesn’t fuck elves dude,” Justin says finally and the room explodes in a chorus of “ooooooh’s” as Trace scowls up at his best friend.

 

“Hey the pc term is vertically challenged dick wad,” Trace replies turning his nose in the air and they all snigger. “And what do you know about fuckin anyway?”

 

Justin scoffs. “I’ve fucked plenty of women.”

 

A different chorus of “oooooh’s” follows his statement. “Oh really,” Charlotte can’t help but saying, her brain hazy with alcohol. She wouldn’t mind knowing what it was like-

 

“Most outrageous place you’ve done it,” Trace exclaims and they all look from one person to the other, grinning at the challenge in his words. “Rachel,” he says, turning to her and her eyes widen.

 

“Fuck Trace I don’t know,” she replies, brushing her dark hair back from her face and Trace shakes his head.

 

“No, no Mom we know you were wild back in the day. All that touring with Justin…” Trace smirks at her and Justin cringes throwing his arm over his eyes.

 

“I don’t wanna hear this,” he says, his voice muffled by his arm.

 

“The hottub at the Marriot,” Rachel says, waving her drink at Trace for punctuation and Justin groans.

 

“Didn’t wanna know that.”

 

“In Phoenix Arizona,” Rachel adds with a giggle and Justin’s arm flies from his face, nearly rolling off the loveseat as he tries to roll onto his stomach to look at her.

 

“That weird bleach blond guy?” he asks, his eyes squinted at her incredulously and she nods.

 

“His name was…” she frowns thinking. “Fuck what was his name?”

 

“Oh god. Raaaaacheeeeeeel,” Justin says burying his face in his arms as the others burst out laughing.

 

“That’s what he said,” Charlotte says giggling and they’re laughing returns full force.

 

“J,” Trace says, gulping down more of his drink. “You?”

 

“Me?” Justin asks, resting his chin on his hand and Trace nods.

 

“Most outrageous place you’ve fucked someone,” Trace replies snapping his fingers. “Come on grandpa stick with us here.”

 

“Fuck you,” Justin says pointing at him with his glass and then chuckles. “I dunno where’s the most outrageous place you’ve ever done it? Your hobbit hole?”

 

They all snigger and Trace just smiles wryly. “Driving through the Lincoln Tunnel,” he says proudly and everyone stops laughing just blinking at him.

 

“How?” Rachel asks, her face scrunching as she tries to wrap her head around what he just said.

 

“When?” Justin asks before Trace can answer, his face expressing the same confusion as his cousin’s.

 

“During your last tour and-”

 

“On the tour bus,” Justin, Rachel and Trace say together and Trace grins nodding.

 

“You sick bastard,” Rachel chuckles and Trace smirks at her.

 

“Justin? Come on man…try and outdo that one,” Trace challenges and Justin sighs, screwing up his face in thought then he grins slyly.

 

“Three words,” he says, holding up three fingers and looking from Trace to Rachel and finally to Charlotte, smiling at the way her green eyes dance even though they’re hazy from the alcohol, the way he has her full attention. The way her bottom lip is pulled between her teeth in anticipation of his answer.

 

“Yes?” Rachel asks with a giggle and he looks around, shaking his head, suddenly remembering where they are and what they’re doing.

 

He clears his throat, pulling his shoulders back again as he says, “Madison. Square. Garden.”

 

The other three blink at him in awe and he smiles, satisfied as he drains the last of his glass, smacking his lips, wishing there was more.

 

“Not…not…” Rachel says, not even daring to finish as she eyes Justin incredulously and he grins cheekily at her.

 

“On stage? Yeah,” he grins wiggling his glass and enjoying the sound the ice makes. “It was like four hours before the show. No one was around.”

 

“Okay you fucking win dude,” Trace says raising his hands in the air in concession. “You fuckin’ bastard.”

 

“No wait,” Justin says, his head turning slowly and he grins at Charlotte who has her head tipped back, trying to coax a piece of ice into her mouth from the bottom of her glass. She tilts her head forward, looking at them all slightly bewildered.

 

“Wha’?” she asks, the ice cube in her mouth inhibiting her speech and Justin grins.

 

“Most outrageous place you’ve head sex, Charlie,” Justin says smirking at her triumphantly, his stomach curling in anticipation of her answer. “And don’t say in the weather van because I’ll know you’re lying.” He chuckles to himself.

 

“Oh I dunno,” Charlotte says, giggling as she looks down into her glass, crunching the ice cube between her teeth and the other occupants of the room hoop and holler in protest.

 

“You gotta say,” Trace says banging his hand on the table and they all shush him, giggling to themselves.

 

“You gotta,” Rachel says nodding and Charlotte purses her lips.

 

“Okay…” she takes a deep breath. “Washington Square Park.”

 

Rachel and Trace both burst out laughing and Justin’s eyes look like they’re going to explode from his head. Charlotte covers her face with her hands, feeling slightly embarrassed but not near as much as she would had she been sober. She was having fun. She could divulge some information and it wasn’t like they had sticks up their asses like Amelia or something. They were just having a good time. And she had to admit the look on Justin’s face was priceless.

 

“Washington Square Park?” Justin asks, slightly flabbergasted. His Charlie…who knew?

 

“Did you do it on a bench or something?” Rachel asks with a giggle and Charlotte shakes her head.

 

“Against the arch,” she says and they all cheer, laughing and goading her, causing her to blush again.

 

“That’s kinky Char,” Trace says and then nods approvingly, picking up the bottle of Jack and motioning her forward. She holds out her glass for him to fill. Why not? Like Justin said, they were on vacation. “I like it,” he winks cheekily at her and she wiggles her eyebrows at him in return. They all giggle. “Favorite position?” Trace exclaims and they all groan.

 

“What the fuck is this, Trace, twenty questions?” Rachel asks, shaking her head as she reaches for the bottle and tips some more into her own glass.

 

“Yeah,” Trace replies sipping from his glass. “The dirty twenty questions.” He chuckles at his own joke. He elbows Rachel in the ribs. “Favorite position?”

 

“Oh I don’t know,” Rachel replies, leaning against him, her eyelids drooping as she stifles a yawn with the back of her hand.

 

Trace scowls at her as she rests her head on his shoulder. “Justin?” he asks, trying to shrug her off him and she punches him in the arm.

 

Justin smirks. “Oh I dunno,” he says as he rolls onto his back, folding his arms behind his head Trace and Charlotte snigger.

 

“Yeah you can’t even remember,” Trace says sniggering and Rachel giggles, her eyes cracking open to glance at Justin who scowls. “It’s been too long huh?”

 

“I like hittin it from the back,” Justin spats and Charlotte covers her mouth to mask her sharp in take of breath at his statement. He screws up his face in contemplation. “Girl-on-top is nice too,” he adds as an afterthought, gripping the air over his groin and rolling his hips up in a way that makes Charlotte blush and look away. He chuckles to himself, reaching a hand over his head towards Trace and his best friend gives him a high five the best he can in his drunken state.

 

“I’m a from-the-back man myself,” Trace says, swirling the whiskey in his glass before downing it and Justin chuckles.

 

“Yeah it has a tendency to go better for you when they can’t see you,” Rachel deadpans and they all burst into giggles again, Trace scowling.

 

“Yeah yeah. Charlotte!” He exclaims and Charlotte jumps, nearly spilling her drink all over herself. “Your turn…favorite position?”

 

“Well it depends,” Charlotte replies, giggling as she brings her glass to her lips and the boys let out a low “ooooooo” in response.

 

“Depends on what?” Justin asks, his eyes dancing as he stares at her, licking his lips involuntarily.

 

He likes the way her hair is curling softly over her shoulders, how her brown locks frame her face, drawing less attention to the roundness but he likes it. He likes how she’s all soft curves and warm smiles. He likes the sound of her laugh and the little dimple she has in her right cheek that’s only visible when her smile is at its widest. He likes the little freckle just over her left eyebrow. He shakes his head trying to clear it. Maybe he’s had too much to drink.

 

“Yeah depends on what?” Trace asks smarmily and Charlotte gives him a devilish smile.

 

“Depends on how big your dick is,” she says and Justin relishes in the shiver that shakes through his body. “Because if you have a small dick my favorite position is with another mother fucker.”

 

The entire room erupts in laughter and Charlotte curls her knees to her chest, burying her face in her arms that are crossed atop them. She feels her face burning and wonders what on earth has come over her. She is well aware of her tendency to stick her foot in her mouth but that was a little much. She lifts her face, peeking carefully at Justin who is wiping his face, still chuckling slightly to himself. She sighs. They’re just goofing around. It feels good to be able to joke and play. This is the best night she’s had in awhile.

 

“Justin?”

 

Everyone freezes, except for Justin who scrambles into a sitting position, trying to pull his face into a stoic, easy expression. Amelia’s face peeks out the screen door and peers at all of them, her eyes slightly bleary from sleep. Charlotte keeps her eyes on the floor, forcing her brain to focus, doing her very best not to move.

 

“Yeah?” Justin says, his voice deeper than usual in his attempt to sound sober and Trace makes the strangled snorting sound of someone trying to keep their mouth closed while laughing.

 

Amelia narrows her eyes. “Are you coming to bed? It’s late,” she says, her eyes moving from one face to the other.

 

“Yeah…yeah sure I’ll be up in a sex,” his eyes widen and Trace and Rachel completely lose it, leaning on each other as they laugh. Charlotte crushes one hand in the other, biting her lip hard to keep the laughter at bay. “I mean…sec…sorry.”

 

“You’re drunk,” Amelia says with a disapproving sigh and Justin purses his lips.

 

“Fuckin’ hammered,” Trace giggles and Rachel shushes him drunkenly, avoiding Amelia’s gaze.

 

“Of course,” Amelia says with a sigh. “How could I expect any less when you hang out with…” she trails as her steely gaze falls on Trace, “him.”

 

“What’s wrong with me?” Trace asks a hard edge to his voice and even Justin isn’t drunk enough to not see that this could end badly.

 

“Nothin’ man,” Justin says patting him on the shoulder as he pulls himself up from the love seat, wobbling only slightly. “I’ll be up in a minute babe. I’m just gonna get Rachel and Trace settled in the living room.”

 

Amelia rolls her eyes and turns on her heel, letting the screen door slam behind her. Charlotte cringes, everything suddenly coming more sharply into focus and her brain clears for the first time in hours.  The fun is over.

 

“Why do you do that?” Trace asks, squinting his eyes at Justin as he tries to pull him to his feet.

 

“What?” Justin grunts, hoisting Trace up and his friend leans heavily against him, looking at him blearily.

 

“Let her do that!” Trace exclaims, tripping over his own feet as Justin tries to maneuver him around the table.

 

“Let her do what?” Justin asks with a sigh and then glances at Rachel. “Ray you think you could help here?”

 

“Sure,” she slurs, trying to pull herself to her own feet but stumbles, sliding back down again. “erm….”

 

“I got it,” Charlotte says, standing and the entire room spins but she somehow manages to stay upright, stumbling over to Trace, slipping his other arm over her shoulders.

 

“You know ezzacly what,” Trace spats as they step carefully up the stairs. “You jus’ let her…walk all over you!”

 

Trace stumbles and all of them nearly fall to the kitchen tile, something that only moments ago would have made them scream with laughter but now nothing seems funny anymore. Justin keeps his head down, trying to focus all his energy into his muscles to carry his best friend into the living room, saying a silent prayer that his drunken ramble ends. But it doesn’t.

 

“She jus’ took over your life dude,” Trace whines, his feet dragging and Justin wills him to move faster. “She’s like a fucking black hole.”

 

“Come on, Trace you’re drunk,” Charlotte says softly, her nails digging into his ribs and he wriggles in their arms.

 

“Did he tell you he missed my granddad’s funeral?” Trace slurs and Justin feels his face burn, his stomach churning. He feels he could be sick and it’s not from the alcohol. “That man was like my fucking father, J and all you did was send fuckin’ flowers.” Trace turns to Charlotte. “He never would have done that before. He would have been right fucking there with me. It’s all fucking her.”

 

“Shut up, Trace,” Charlotte snaps, her tone firm as they drop him onto the couch. “You’re drunk you don’t know what you’re saying.”

 

Justin takes a step back, watching as Trace lays down blearily pulling one of his mother’s throw pillows under his head, his legs hanging off the side of the couch and he looks as if he’s just fallen over while sitting. Regret tastes bitter in the back of his throat and he wishes for the millionth time he would have been there for his friend. He should have been there. He opens his mouth to say as much but Trace’s eyes sink closed and he’s dozing off within seconds, his anger forgotten as the alcohol pulls him into sleep.

 

Charlotte reaches for the blanket on the back of the couch and covers him awkwardly, her eyes flitting to Justin who looks as if he’s been slapped. She turns to him, placing a hand on his chest her green eyes crashing into his and she pats him gently, trying to soothe the ache in his chest and he marvels that she even knows it’s there. His hand comes up and covers hers sighing and Charlotte can smell the whiskey on his breath. Somewhere in her brain she knows she should step back, that this is dangerous given her earlier revelation but she can’t help but relish the warmth of his palm over the back of her hand, the roughness of his fingertips against her knuckles. His thumb rubs over the back of her hand and she knows she should step back. And he knows he should let go but they don’t. They just stand and stare up into each other’s hazy eyes, waiting…waiting for something to snap them together or snap them apart.

 

“Hey!”

 

They jump, springing apart like opposite ends of a magnet and turn to see Rachel looking at them blearily from the doorway. She leans heavily on the doorframe and grins at them sleepily before trudging into the room, falling onto the couch next to Trace. She pulls the blanket off of him and around herself and Trace grunts in his sleep, reaching for it but Rachel slaps at his hand, curling up behind him and laying against him.

 

Justin and Charlotte watch them for a moment, their brains too slow and drunk to really do much else. They look at each other after a moment and that feeling is back, the tightness in her chest, the racing of his heart and the feeling of waiting, as if something were supposed to happen but wasn’t.

 

“JUSTIN!”

 

They both jump, stepping farther away from each other as Amelia’s voice rings down the stairwell, shattering the moment and Justin turns towards the doorway, trudging out into the foyer. Charlotte wonders what exactly she was waiting for.

Chapter 14 by SomethingBlue42

The clock on the bedside table reads 2:16 and Charlotte can’t sleep. She rolls onto her back and stares up at the ceiling, the spackle design fuzzy in the darkness. Her head falls to the side and she can see the moon peeking in through the curtains, throwing a thin shaft of light across the end of the bed. She sighs, sitting up finally. Her mind is alert and focused, no hint of sleepiness anywhere. A lot of it has to do with the fact that she hadn’t been able to pull herself out of bed before noon that day, her head threatening to split in half if she even dared move. When she finally did drag herself downstairs, she found Justin and Amelia sitting at the kitchen table, Amelia picking disinterestedly at a turkey sandwich while Justin looked like death warmed over, nursing a glass of soda water.

 

Charlotte rolls over, burying her face in her pillow, trying to banish Justin from her thoughts but she is perilous to stop the hazy memory of his chest beneath her fingertips, his palm warm against the back of her hand. And his eyes...god his eyes glowing dark navy blue even in the pitch black living room, even in the dimness of her drunken brain.

 

She groans into the pillow, punching the sides of it violently. Why couldn’t she just sleep? Why did she have to be here in this house, spending Christmas with his family? Why did she have to be in his bed, sleeping on sheets that he’s probably slept in a million times with her face shoved in a pillow that’s probably held his head-

 

“Alright,” Charlotte growls to herself, sitting up and swinging her legs over the side of the bed.

 

She sighs heavily, letting her head hang back as she listens to the stillness of the room, broken only by the wind gusting every now and then, rattling the window pane. She stands, tugging her thermal shirt straight around her waist, shaking out the legs of her flannel sleep pants. She looks around blearily wondering what to do now. It was – she glances at the clock – 2:23. What was there to do at 2:23 in the morning?

 

Charlotte runs her hands over her face, padding carefully to the door even though she knows the floor is clear but the unfamiliar room has her cautious. She pulls the door open, peeking down the hallway cast in a soft yellow glow from the dimmed lights. Her head snaps the other direction when she hears a noise, a soft tinkling sound and she squints, trying to see as far down the hall as possible but everything fades into darkness at the start of the banister.

 

She takes a cautious step out of her room, taking small strides towards the balcony overlooking the foyer and the tinkling gets just slightly louder, allowing her to discern a familiar melody. She can see a soft glowing light coming from the living room and she’s perilous to stop herself as she hears a voice, his voice, just a dull hum muffled by the walls separating them. Charlotte isn’t the only one who couldn’t sleep tonight.

 

As her foot hits the bottom step, her stomach turns over itself in anticipation her socked feet padding quietly towards the entryway to the living room. Justin is sitting behind the piano, his eyes watching his hands as they dance over the keys, a glass of deep red wine sitting on the top of the instrument. The Christmas tree is lit up behind him, the colored lights twinkling merrily, making the room glow hazily. His body moves with the music, his head nodding every time he switches chords, his plush bottom lip tugged between his teeth. His hair is a wild muss of curls, a day’s growth of beard covering his handsome face. Charlotte has to cover her mouth with her hand to conceal her gasp as he opens his mouth to sing.

 

“Have yourself a merry little Christmas / Let your heart be liiiiiight / From now on our troubles will be out of siiiiiight…”  

 

Charlotte’s hands press to her chest, trying to suppress the lump in her throat as she listens, her eyes never leaving him as he sways slowly. She tenses when he lifts his head but his eyes are closed, lost in the beauty of the song and the feeling of his voice as it leaves him.

“Have yourself a merry little Christmas / Make the Yule-tide gaaaaay / From now on our troubles will be miles awaaaaaay…”  

 

She watches him and she marvels at his talent, how he can make even the easiest song sound like it was a masterpiece, making it his own with little trills of the piano and slight inflections in his voice, his soft tenor ebbing and flowing over the notes in a way that Charlotte has never heard before. She is captivated, hanging on every note her eyes never leaving his face and marveling at the pure joy that radiates off of him.

“Here we are as in olden daaaaays / Happy golden daaaaays gone byyyyyy / Faithful friends who are dear to us gather near to us-”  

 

His voice cuts off as his eyes open, his fingers stuttering over the keys when he sees Charlotte standing in the doorway. She jumps, looking as if she’s about to turn tail and run, her green eyes wide. He ducks his head, a nervous laugh pulling from his throat and he can feel his cheeks burn. He thought he was alone, the only one awake. After all it was almost three in the morning. In fact there was no reason that he himself shouldn’t have been asleep. Amelia had forced him to get up at seven-thirty despite the bone crushing hangover he was sporting. He couldn’t help but feel that she relished in his suffering, saw it as punishment for going against her wishes. But he was probably just being overly sensitive. He shakes his head, clearing his throat as his fingers resume their work, raising one hand to wave Charlotte over as he continues.  

“-once more.”  

Charlotte bites her lip, stepping cautiously into the room, sidestepping the overstuffed chairs to stand awkwardly next to the piano. Her long dark hair cascades over her shoulders and she looks downright adorable in an oversized thermal shirt and flannel sleep pants that pool around the tops of her socked feet. He smiles, his fingers coaxing flourished notes out of the piano as he slides over a little on the bench, nodding his head down at the empty space next to him. She hesitates for a moment before settling next to him and he’s assailed with the sent of oranges, maybe mangos. She reaches up to tuck her hair nervously behind her ear and he wonders what kind of shampoo she uses. He shakes his head.  

 

“Through the years we all will be together / If the Fates allooooow” he sings and then he lets his eyes fall closed, forgetting about everything as the piano crescendos and the only thing there is is the music. “Hang a shining star upon the highest booooooouuuuugh.” His hands reach down the keys, playing a chord and then a higher one and then a higher one still, his arm pressing against Charlotte’s before coming back to the middle again, pausing just briefly. “And have yourself… a merry little Christmas…” He pauses, waiting and when Charlotte takes her eyes off his hands to look at his face, her eyes meeting his he grins at her, “…noooow.” 

 

His fingers ripple down the keys in a flourish before ending on a tinkling note and a low cord, the silence around them electric with the sound that had just ended. Charlotte’s heart is thudding in her chest, excitement racing through her veins. She now understands why all those girls used to tremble and cry at his concerts. He is awe inspiring.

 

“That was amazing,” she says softly and he scrunches his nose, shrugging as he plucks out another melody, one she doesn’t recognize.

 

“Can’t sleep?” he asks after a moment and she nods, shifting slightly on the bench and her hip presses to his and for the first time she doesn’t cringe or shy away. “Yeah me either.”

 

“It’s what I get for sleeping till noon today,” Charlotte replies with a sigh, reaching up to rub her eye. “Your family must think I’m horrible.”

 

Justin snorts waving one hand. “My family loves you.”

 

Charlotte feels her ears redden, her stomach tightening and she tries to fight it, to fight the swell of pride. She’s playing a dangerous game and she should be ashamed of herself. He’s engaged. She shakes her head, her hands moving instinctively to the keys, poised and ready to press down and she catches herself in time to stop the action but not before Justin notices.

 

“Do you play?” he asks, his voice laced with pleasant surprise and Charlotte shakes her head adamantly.

 

“No…no no I just…I had lessons when I was younger…but I…I don’t-”

 

“Come on,” he says, scooting further away from her on the bench, giving her more room. “Come on play something.”

 

“Oh…Justin,” Charlotte says holding up a hand and he grins at the way her cheeks flame. “No…I…no…it’s been…jeez it’s been forever since I played.”

 

“Yeah yeah me too,” he says grinning as he nudges her with his elbow. “Come on please?”

 

She bites her lip, eyeing him hesitantly and he nudges her again, his boney elbow digging into her ribs. She arches her body, trying to avoid his prodding and slaps at his arm, scoffing annoyed but she can’t suppress the laugh that pulls from her throat.

 

“Fine, fine FINE!!!” she exclaims holding her hands up and he quits his jabbing at her, waiting with an amused smile gracing his lips.

 

He watches her roll her shoulders, clearing her throat as she tucks her hair behind her ears nervously. She’s wearing a pair of tiny silver studs and he likes the way they glint in the soft light of the room. They’re so subtle, so her. He shakes his head as she poises her hands over the keys, her fingertips resting against the cool ivory. She frowns, curling her fingers back against her palms.

 

“I can’t think of a song,” she says turning to Justin slightly her hands resting back against her thighs and he squints in thought.

 

“Do you knoooooooow…” he draws out the word before pausing, scrunching his mouth to the side as he ponders and it takes everything Charlotte has not to giggle at how utterly adorable he is. “White Christmas?”

 

Charlotte thinks for a second before placing her hands hesitantly over the keys. “I think so yeah.”

 

Her fingers press down, drawing out lazy notes that seem so dim in comparison to what he’d coaxed out of the instrument just moments before. She bites her lip, almost embarrassed by it, her fingers slowing and Justin begins to hum, forcing her to continue.

 

“Not bad,” he says nodding his head because it’s true, she wasn’t bad. She wasn’t going to win a Grammy but she wasn’t bad. Maybe with a little guidance she could get better. She needed to loosen up a little, show a little more confidence. “When’d you learn to play?”

 

“My mom got me lessons when I was nine,” she replies shrugging, counting the rhythm in her head as her fingers pluck the keys methodically. “You?”

 

“Oh I taught myself,” Justin replies with a shrug, reaching past her for his wine glass and Charlotte stops looking at him perplexed.

 

“You taught yourself?” she asks and he nods, taking a sip of his wine and she shakes her head. “Figures.”

 

“What’s that mean?” he asks with a chuckle his eyes not leaving her as she nods her head with the slow count she’s plucking out. She doesn’t look at him, just shakes her head and he knows she’s just keeping her mouth shut. “No really Charlie,” he coaxes, wanting to know what she thought. What she thought of him.

 

Trace’s little confession last night had been a pretty heavy blow. To know that not only had he let his best friend down but that the one person in the world that truly got him, didn’t get why he was marrying Amelia, didn’t get why he loved her. He wishes he’d been drunk enough to just forget it, forget the accusation and hurt in his best friend’s eyes, to forget the way Charlotte had refused to look at him. He felt like an asshole. He was an asshole.

 

“You’re…you’re kind of good at everything,” she replies hesitantly and he chuckles, breathing a sigh of slight relief.

 

“I used to be,” he replies with a sigh, throwing his head back and draining the rest of the glass. He used to be a lot of things.

 

“What’s that mean?” Charlotte prods gently, her fingers stopping and the silence is deafening.

 

“Its means…” Justin says after a moment, his fingers beginning to coax out another beautiful melody but the tone is more somber than the ones before, “I don’t know what it means.”

 

Charlotte nods slightly in concession, her eyes roaming over his handsome face, hard lines drawn across his forehead, his mouth tight in the way that she has come to associate with his displeasure. His eyes are dark, not looking at her and she knows he has something on his mind. She wants him to know that he can confide in her if he needs to, that he can talk to her, that she won’t go blabbing it to Us Weekly. She sighs bracing herself.

 

“No really,” she prods softly and his hands stutter on the keys, his eyes flicking to her.

 

He tenses, bristling slightly as he continues his melody again, fully prepared to ignore her prodding. He doesn’t have to answer to her. Who was she to pry into his life anyway? Everyone always wanted to know everything. All the sordid details, all the juicy bits. No one really cared what he thought or how he felt unless they were using it for something. His eyes flick to her and she looks away, her bottom lip pulled between her teeth and he instantly regrets his frosty brush off. Everyone wanted to know everything but Charlotte, Charlotte never asked for anything. She just wasn’t like that. Charlotte never wanted anything from him, so if she was asking just this once, he figured he could at least try to answer.

 

“I guess…” he starts slowly, concentrating on his fingers working smoothly over the keys. “I guess it’s just not really the same anymore.”

 

He chances a glance at Charlotte and finds her peering up at him interestedly but not in the way he was used to. Her green eyes show curiosity but they lack that hunger he was so used to seeing when he was prodded about his life. She genuinely wants to know what he thinks, what he feels and he wonders what that says about him and his life that it surprises him. In any case, now she’s got him curious.

 

“I see,” she says nodding when he doesn’t continue and he can tell she wants to ask him more but she doesn’t and he smiles. It’s not everyday someone just dropped a subject because he didn’t want to talk about it.

 

“You know when I was a kid…” he trails, his fingers finding a familiar melody and Charlotte smiles recognizing it instantly as her favorite song. He’d played it for her before, the first time she’d ever heard him play. God, that seemed so long ago. “I used to race home from school just to play this thing. Couldn’t wait to get outta that stuffy classroom and in here where I could breathe.”

 

Charlotte watches him take a deep breath and then let it out in a sigh as his fingers continued to work over the keys coaxing the haunting melody from the instrument. She could sit here forever and watch him do this, listen to the beautiful music he’s capable of making. She wonders why he stopped. She barely knew him and she could see that this was what he lived for. She wonders what possible force could snuff this part of him out.

 

“You know when I was a kid,” Charlotte says and Justin turns his head to her grinning. “I would race home from school so I could get in the fort my brothers made in the back yard before they could.” Justin smiles. “They’d never let me in otherwise. We’d spend the entire afternoon fighting.” She pauses her face crumpling. “Your way seems more productive.” She adds and he laughs.

 

“Fort huh?” he asks, cutting his eyes at her and she nods, her head tilted to the side as she watches his hands move slowly over the keys. “Trace and I had a tree house.”

 

“Really?” she asks and he nods, grinning at the memories of running though the woods, racing to see who could get there first.

 

“Yeah, it’s still out there,” he says, nodding towards the window and Charlotte turns her head to look as if she could see it but the only thing she can see is their reflection against the black night.

 

“That’s cool,” she says and he nods silence descending on them. “I’d like to see it sometime,” she adds and then mentally kicks herself for how retarded she sounds.

 

“Really?” he asks turning to her and the music stops. “You wanna go now?”

 

Charlotte blinks at him slowly and responds the only way one can when they are caught so completely off guard. “Sure.”

 

***

 

“Careful,” Justin says, his hands reaching around Charlotte to catch her by the elbows as she stumbles over a fallen tree limb.

 

Even with the full moon and the Maglite in Justin’s hand Charlotte can still barely keep upright. She envies Justin’s lithe grace as he takes purposeful strides, charging through the woods like he lives here. Which he does, she guesses but that was beside the point. She looks over her shoulder and she can no longer see the porch light through the trees, nothing but pitch blackness in their wake. She wonders if this was a good idea. What if someone were to wake up and find them gone? What would they think?

 

Something catches on her pajama pants tugging and her heart rate goes through the roof, a small squealing sound pulling from the back of her throat as she reaches out to grab the back of Justin’s jacket, quickening her pace. He turns, shining the beam of light at her feet and she sees a thorny bramble caught on the hem of her sleep pants and he chuckles, reaching down to pull it away.

 

“You okay there Al?” he asks, examining the piece of foliage before tossing it aside and she scowls at him, putting a hand up in front of her face when he shines the light in her eyes.

 

“Yes,” she spats, reaching out to force the beam of light towards the ground and he chuckles.

 

“Who knew you were such a girly girl,” Justin responds and Charlotte’s scowl deepens, the ten year old that was constantly tormented by all her brother’s friends for being a “sissy girl” rising to the surface.

 

“I’m not,” she replies, snatching the flash light from him and charging ahead.

 

“Where are you going?” he asks and she turns, the light finding him and he’s standing in the same place with his arms crossed over his chest, smiling smugly, every breath coming out in white puffs.

 

“To find your tree house,” she says, pushing a piece of hair out of her face her finger clumsy and weak from the cold and he chuckles, pointing.

 

“Well it’s right there but if you wanna go trompin’ around the woods for awhile we can do that too.” He grins at her and she scowls in a way that he can’t help but find truly adorable.

 

Charlotte turns, finding an old wooden ladder leaning against a tall oak. She lets her light travel up it, finding a tiny ramshackle hut held by two of the thickest branches of the tree, the ladder disappearing up into a crudely cut square hole. She hears the rustling of leaves behind her and turns in time to see Justin standing next to her, peering up at the tree house, his breath coming out in curling clouds.

 

“So are we going up?” she asks after a moment and he turns to her slightly bewildered.

 

“You wanna go up?” he asks and he seems genuinely perplexed. Charlotte laughs.

 

“Well yeah,” she says, elbowing him. “What did you think I was just gonna have you drag me out here at three in the morning to look at the damn thing?”

 

Justin chuckles shaking his head as he steps forward to grip the ladder, applying his foot hesitantly to a rung making sure it’s secure before tugging himself upward. He crouches low as he takes a cautious step into the tree house, the boards creaking loudly under his weight. He wonders briefly if this thing can take their weight, then he remembers all crazy things he and his friends had gotten up to in here over the years and decides not to worry about it. Charlotte’s head and shoulders appear through the hole in the floor, her breath coming in white puffs as she swings the flashlight around, throwing light on the walls. He grins, taking the flashlight from her and holding out his hand as he helps her the rest of the way inside.

 

Charlotte grasps his hand, his fingers warm around hers and she plants her foot cautiously on the floor of the tree house, listening to it groan under her weight. She tenses as she crouches next to him, opening her eyes wide, trying to see in the near darkness. He waddles backwards into the open space of the tiny room before letting his body tumble back and the old boards whine in protest both of them tensing, waiting and when nothing happens they chuckle at each other. Charlotte crawls closer to him, making sure she’s clear of the opening in the floor before folding her legs and settling down, watching as Justin moves the flashlight around the walls. Light splashes on old posters of Michael Jackson, Boys II Men and Michael Jordan, newspaper clippings of concert reviews and sports scores, and old flyers announcing performances at school assemblies and pep rallies. There are ticket stubs from concerts long past and old notes yellowed and worn from years long gone.

 

“This is really cool,” Charlotte says, reaching out to touch a faded ticket stub from a Beach Boys concert. “You’ve just always loved music huh?”

 

Justin chuckles. “Yeah,” he says with a sigh. “It’s just a part of me, I dunno.”

 

“Why’d you quit?” she asks lightly, trying to mask the real curiosity in her voice, glancing at him and an uncomfortable look comes across his face.

 

He chuckles shaking his head at her and pressing his lips together, not wanting to say. Charlotte nods in silent concession.

 

Justin sighs, glancing around and memories fill him. Spring days and summer nights just hanging out with friends talking about basketball and girls and music and whatever else was on their minds. He hadn’t seen some of those guys in years. Last he heard Kyle owned the machine shop in town and Nick had moved to Nashville for some girl. They’d all just drifted away from each other somehow.

 

“Me and my friends used to chill up here on the weekends when we were ten,” he sighs, shaking away the unpleasant thoughts, reaching back to lean on his hands

 

His fingers brush against something cold and metallic, the sound of aluminum bouncing off each other echoing in the silence. He frowns, pulling out an empty Coors Light can and chuckles tossing it into the darkness, listening to it clatter along the floor.

 

“And Trace and I drank up here when we were sixteen.”

 

Charlotte laughs. “You and Trace have known each other a long time huh?” she asks and he nods, that tight feeling coming into his chest again when he thinks about his best friend. “How’d you meet?”

 

“Oh our moms are good friends,” he says dismissively and he looks out the little window into the darkness. “He just gets me you know? Or he used to.”

 

He tenses. Why’d he say that? Justin’s eyes find hers in the darkness and he can see her pretty clearly even in the darkness, the light from the moon giving her an almost ethereal glow. Her cheeks are pink from the cold, her lips full and red and her green eyes pierce the darkness in a way that makes his heart beat faster. She’s looking at him hesitantly as if she has a million questions but she’s holding them all back. One thing he really likes about Charlotte is that, in a world where everyone wears a mask to hide their intentions, he can read her like a book.

 

“He gets you,” Charlotte says delicately and Justin shakes his head, shifting uncomfortably.

 

“I dunno,” he says, shifting again and he can feel his foot tingle, falling asleep from his odd sitting position.

 

He grunts, shifting to so he can fold his legs in front of him and when he does his knees press against Charlotte’s, feeling her tense from the contact. He expects her to pull back like she usually does but this time she doesn’t, relaxing after a few seconds and it’s comfortable. He feels comfortable with her. He knows she’s not going to freak out on him for reasons he doesn’t completely understand. He’s not entirely sure but he thinks he trusts her.

 

“He does, Justin,” she says softly and he glances up to find her looking at him steadily. “Maybe he just needs a little help in this instance. Even best friends can’t read your mind.”

 

A smile pulls at his lips. “I just…I feel like he’s…” he trails and Charlotte’s knee nudges his encouragingly.

 

“What?” she asks softly and he sighs.

 

“I feel like we’re not as close as we used to be. I mean I don’t have any friends aside from him really. Not anymore…” he trails, shifting uncomfortably at his confession and he chances a look up at her, finding her looking at him, a mix of empathy and understanding painting her face. He never really realized how pretty she was until right now. She wasn’t Amelia and in the back of his mind he knew that was a good thing.

 

“Why is that?” she asks gently and he blinks slowly, trying to remember what they were talking about.

 

“I dunno,” he says, shifting again but he thinks he may have an inkling. “I just…Trace…” he says by way of shifting the subject and he tenses realizing he didn’t exactly want the subject shifted there either.

 

“…is your best friend,” Charlotte replies and he looks up at her in time to see her nod authoritatively. “Guys like you two don’t just drift away from each other Justin. He’s like your brother. I barely know you two and that’s obvious.”

 

Justin smiles but there’s a bitterness to it. “I missed his grandad’s funeral,” he says softly and his breath is pulled from his lungs at the unexpected pain this statement brings. “Ben was like his dad. I’m his best friend. I should have been there.”

 

He sighs, fisting his hands on his knees, frustrated with himself. How could he have done something like that? At the time it hadn’t seemed like that big of a deal. He was a thousand miles away and in a sense New York was an entire world away from their sleepy little town in Tennessee. He’d sent flowers. He’d called. Why was it now that he was home that he could see how glaringly wrong he’d been? He jumps as Charlotte’s cold hand wraps around his fist and the gesture comforts him even though he doesn’t deserve it.

 

“You screwed up,” she says and his head hangs lower ready for the onslaught. “But you can’t keep beating yourself up over it. You can’t go back. The only thing you can do is tell him you’re sorry and never let anything like it happen again.”

 

Justin lifts his head, blinking slowly back at her. Well that was unexpected. So often when he’d fucked up he had to listen to a forty minute diatribe on how he could have done differently or why he had screwed up so egregiously. It was always his fault, he should have known better, he should have done something differently. But not this time. Not with Charlotte. She was so different from Amelia.

 

“Why are you looking at me like that?” Charlotte asks, a nervous chuckle escaping her lips, her hand tugging back from him slowly and he smiles, shaking his head.

 

“I…just…” he sighs and then finally just lets himself be honest for once. “You’re so different from her.”

 

“Amelia?” Charlotte asks and then she chuckles, an uncomfortable look coming over her face before she looks at him for a moment and decides to say whatever it is she’s holding back. “Is that a compliment or…”

 

“No!” Justin exclaims chuckling and shaking his head so that he misses the look of disappointment on her face. “No it was just an observation.”

 

“You two seem so…” she trails and he can tell she wants to say more but she’s holding back.

 

“Different?” he provides for her and she nods, smiling sheepishly. “We didn’t use to be.”

 

“Yeah so I’ve heard,” Charlotte says and then sighs her words coming out in a rush. “What happened?”

 

“You’ve wanted to ask that for awhile huh?” Justin asks with a chuckle and she blushes, ducking her head.

 

“You don’t have to-”

 

He holds up a hand. “No it’s fine.” He takes a deep breath, screwing up his face in thought. How to explain this… “Okay have you ever met Amelia’s dad?”

 

Charlotte looks back at him puzzled. “No I don’t think so…”

 

Justin chuckles. “Preston…Preston is… intense.” He pauses. “Er…wait…” he pauses thinking and then takes a deep breath, starting again. “Okay Amelia and I met at this industry party,” he says. “Thrown by her father,” he adds as if to try and tie it in to his former statement. “I was there because I had done some production on a song with Jackson Raymes and I was kissing ass trying to get them to let him put it on the damn record,” he rolls his eyes and Charlotte smiles, “And I was standing there talking to…somebody…and,” A slow smile pulls at his lips as he remembers. “And I look over and there is this…stunning woman. I mean trust me Charlie I’ve seen a lot of beautiful women but she, god she stole my breath you know?” He peers at her through the darkness and she smiles at him but he’s so caught up in the memory he doesn’t notice how tense it is. “So I kinda milled around the party, slipping in questions about her and when I finally got up the courage to talk to her she turned me down flat, completely ignored me.”

 

He chuckles shaking his head.

 

“Now that was something I wasn’t really used to at that point in my life,” he confides, blushing slightly and Charlotte giggles. “So I sent her flowers the next day, saying it was a pleasure to have met her and that I hoped we’d run into each other again. And we did in the studio the next day. It turns out that she found out from her father that I was working with one of their artists and she had agreed to listen to the tracks and help choose which ones should go on the album, which made me nervous because I liked her and didn’t want to have to tell her that she didn’t know anything about music.”

 

He laughs again and so does Charlotte. He’s so cocky sometimes.

 

“But luckily for me she did know what she was talking about, which made me want her even more,” he sighs, shaking his head. “So we argue for a couple hours about the tracks and finally settle on an agreement and I’m just about to ask her if maybe she wants to go to dinner and she tells me she has to be at some benefit and asks if I’d join her. I agreed and I get all dressed up and I’m nervous as hell because I’m sure its this big debutante thing and here I am some musician from the boonies in a monkey suit pretending I know how to waltz-”

 

“You didn’t know how to waltz?” Charlotte asks perplexed and he shifts.

 

“Well actually yeah I did but that’s beside the point,” he replies and she giggles at him, nudging him with her knee again and he smiles.

 

“Anyway we go to this party and its so fucking boring and awkward as hell because every time we would start to talk or dance, some colleague of her dad’s or friend of her mother’s would whisk us off into this asinine conversation about show ponies and art auctions,” he rolls his eyes again, “And just when I think the night is doomed, Amelia leans into me and whispers in my ear, ‘you wanna get the fuck outta here?’”

 

Charlotte’s jaw drops, her eyes widening. “You’re lying.”

 

“Sweat to God,” Justin says holding up his right hand and Charlotte giggles.

 

“No way I don’t believe you.”

 

“Wait, wait lemme finish,” Justin says and they shift excitedly. “It gets better trust me. So we go outside, get in her limo and she takes me to this club in Brooklyn. I’m talking a seedy run down little place and here we are in evening wear…” He shakes his head, grinning wildly at the memory. “We danced on the bar and did body shots and heard this amazing band that you may know today as The Kill-”

 

Charlotte’s eyes widen. “No way!”

 

“Yeah I know,” he says nodding. “Amelia had known them for years and she got them gigs at various places using her father’s name. I told her after we’d gotten together that she should pitch them to her dad. She finally did and they just blew up. It was insane.”

 

“Wow,” Charlotte says breathlessly, watching him and marveling at how his face lights up at the memory.

 

“Yeah,” Justin says and his face darkens and it’s as if someone has turned out the lights. “After that her dad used her more and more for A&R because she was in the scene and she had a good ear. She still does she just doesn’t use it very often.” He sighs. “As she moved up in the company she wanted to succeed in the business end more than discover the bands and she struggled a lot with being taken seriously. You know the whole ‘oh she’s a party girl only here because her daddy got her the job’ thing. She kinda became a hardass.”

 

“Kinda?” Charlotte snorts before she can stop herself and she blushes. Justin chuckles.

 

“This business is hard Charlie,” he says somewhat chastising and Charlotte looks at her hands. “People take what they can get from you and you have to put up a strong front to keep the vultures away.” He shrugs pausing before adding. “I think it has a lot to do with living up to her father. Those are some pretty big shoes to fill you know?” He shrugs again, “And I mean it’s what she wants. And Amelia always gets what she wants.”

 

Charlotte chuckles nodding as she peers up at him and before she can stop herself she asks, “And what do you want?”

 

Justin jerks slightly, the smile falling from his face and he’s shocked by the question. What does he want? It’d been so long since someone even thought to ask him. So often he was told what he was doing, where he was going, what he was getting. His opinion never really mattered which is fine he guesses because so often it was stuff he didn’t really care about like flowers and paper samples. But now that someone was finally asking him the indignation over that fact finally hits him. When had he become such a damn doormat?

 

“Justin?” Charlotte asks softly, her hand reaching out to rest on his knee and he jerks in surprise causing her to snatch her hand back quickly. It’s then that he realizes he’d been frowning deeply.

 

“I…” he says and he looks up at her the words dying in his throat, his mind still working furiously towards an end.

 

Maybe Trace was right? Maybe he did let Amelia walk all over him. But no, that was just her personality. Why was he getting upset that she always got her way when she knew exactly what she wanted and he himself said he didn’t really have much of an opinion? She was strong willed and if he had to bend every once in awhile that was fine. But when was the last time Amelia bent for him? He shook his head, not wanting to think about these things now. He glances out the window and it’s lighter than it was before. Was the sun really coming up? Had they spent that much time out here?

 

“Justin?” Charlotte asks again, not touching him this time but her voice pulls his attention back. “Are you okay?”

 

“Yeah!” He exclaims plastering a smile on his face and Charlotte smiles back hesitantly and he ignores the fact that he can tell she doesn’t buy it. He shifts nervously. “You know what I want?” he asks, a hint of forced playfulness evident in his voice.

 

Charlotte looks up at him, her green eyes crashing into his and the laughter dies out of his question, the joke he’d planned on telling forgotten. He can feel his heart rate pick up and she can feel her stomach drop to her toes. Their knees are still touching and she is now suddenly very aware of this fact as is he and that sense of waiting is back. The feeling that something should be happening that wasn’t.

 

The silence around them is electric and Charlotte shifts uncomfortably, her knee moving from his and the incremental amount of space she put between them is enough to break whatever was holding them.

 

“What?” Charlotte asks avoiding his eyes and he’d forgotten what he’d asked his brain so turned around and confused, his heart twisted in knots between Amelia and Trace and his whole screwed up life.

 

“We should get back to the house,” he says and Charlotte nods silently.

 

“Yeah I can’t sleep till noon two days in a row,” Charlotte says hoping to lighten the mood for she is so unaccustomed to his pensivity. “Maybe I can tell your parents I have some rare sleeping disorder.”

 

Despite himself, Justin smiles, chuckling a little to himself. “Good plan,” he says maneuvering around Charlotte to get to the ladder. “But you can’t sleep in tomorrow…er…today anyway.”

 

Charlotte looks perplexed before turning over to crawl towards the ladder on her hands and knees watching as he begins his descent.

 

“Why’s that?” she asks and he looks up at her grinning.

 

“Because it’s Christmas Eve.”

And with that he disappears through the hole, leaving Charlotte to scramble after him.

 

 

End Notes:

Okay guys I'm rollin into finals so the next update may be awhile. I'll do my best but just to be safe don't expect anything for at least two or three weeks. Love ya lots!!!

 

Chapter 15 pt 1 by SomethingBlue42
Author's Notes:
Here ya go guys. Sorry this one took so long. Life got away from me. Enjoy!

When Charlotte’s phone alarm goes off at ten a.m. the only thing she really wants to do is roll over and go back to sleep. Her bed is warm and soft, her body heavy and fatigued. She sighs, her eyes burning as she forces them open, trying to focus on the photos on the night stand in an attempt to wake herself up. She can barely make out Justin’s boyish face, his arms thrown around his mother and father’s shoulders as they stand on a white beach, the ocean green and blue behind them, the sun winking off the water. As she focuses more she notes the changes in him from then to now, how his jaw is more chiseled, his face more angular, his hair brown instead of that hideous platinum blond. Most notable is the lack of sadness in his eyes. He’s young and his smile holds a vivacity that she rarely sees from him now. She shakes her head, banishing the thought from her mind as she pulls her body into a sitting position, groaning as her heavy limbs fail to cooperate.

She’d fallen into bed at about a quarter to six, her brain fuzzy and her heart tangled listening for any sounds of stirring in the house, waiting for Amelia’s shrill accusation as to where Justin had been but it never came. The house was silent and she marveled at how she could have possibly sat in a tree house in the middle of the woods with an almost married man until the sun chased them inside. She had fallen into a fitful sleep, dreaming of Amelia in a wedding dress, ordering her to serve champaign to the guests while Justin tried to pry the cover off the piano so he could play it. Every time she tried to help him Amelia would scream and she would scurry away, watching him the best she could as he sat desolately on the piano bench staring down at the covered keys.

She runs a hand over her face, forcing herself to her feet and she staggers into the bathroom, cringing at her haggard appearance. She dresses quickly, throwing her long dark hair into a ponytail before stumbling out into the hall. The entire house seems to be atwitter with holiday festivities, laughter wafting up towards her and she can’t help but smile. Charlotte pads down the main stairwell peeking her head into the living room and she finds everyone present, the tree glowing golden in the background.

Rachel and her husband, Brad are sitting on the floor next to the tree, holding out boxes for Hannah to shake which seems to be her favorite thing to do. Brennan and Buckley lay near by, happy to have people down at their level to play with. Billy is sitting with Ginger and Amelia, regaling both girls with stories from when he and Sadie had started dating, Ginger’s blue eyes wide and imploring, hanging on his every word while Amelia listens with polite interest. Lynn sits between Sadie and Paul, watching her father laughing when Sadie interjects to correct her husband on a point here and there. Justin and Trace are nowhere to be found.

“Hey Charlotte!” Rachel says when she notices her standing in the doorway and all eyes turn to her, Brennan and Buckley jumping to their feet to run and greet her.

“Hey,” she says chuckling as she reaches down to pat their wide heads, stepping down into the room.

“God Charlotte you look exhausted,” Amelia says, her voice slightly alarmed and Charlotte cringes, her heart rate increasing. “There’s coffee in the kitchen. It’s not espresso but it gets the job done I guess,” she says with a sigh.

“O-okay,” Charlotte says, unsure as to how to respond, turning to go to the kitchen.

“Make me one if you’re going,” Amelia says and Charlotte nods, stepping back into the hall, sighing as she trudges down towards the kitchen.

She slows as she hears the dull hum of voices, male voices, and as she gets closer she can tell that it’s Justin and Trace, their tones hushed. She peers into the kitchen and they’re standing in front of each other, both with their hands shoved in the pockets of their jeans, watching their shoes scuff the tile.

“I…I’m sorry man,” Justin says softly and Trace nods, not responding, not looking at him. “I …I know that’s not much…but its all I can do really. That and tell you I’ll never fuck up like that again.”

Trace finally looks up, staring at Justin for a long moment before sighing and nodding. Justin smiles and they both open their arms at the same time, enveloping each other in a hug, clapping each other’s backs hard before pulling back grinning.

“Hey do you think there’s any more cobbler in the fridge?” Trace asks, taking a step back and Justin does too, both men shrugging and shifting awkwardly, neither really knowing how to act after such a show of emotion.

“There should be,” Justin says stepping towards the refrigerator and Charlotte grins shaking her head. Boys…

She jumps as Brennan and Buckley swish past her, their claws ticking lightly against the tile as they enter the kitchen, sniffing around the floor. Both boys turn at the sound and smile when they see Charlotte in the doorway.

“Mornin’ Al!” Justin exclaims jovially, reaching down to pat Buckley’s head before he turns to the fridge, opening it and surveying the contents.

“Hey,” she says smiling as she shuffles over to the coffee pot. She glances at the long row of cabinets. “Where do you hide the mugs?”

“Here,” he says, placing a hand on her lower back as he slides past her and tugs open a cabinet, grabbing a mug. “You can use my FutureSexLoveShow mug.” He grins and Charlotte takes it rolling her eyes.

“Do you have any of the café style ones?” she asks. “For Amelia,” She adds quickly when she sees his face start to fall.

“Oh,” Justin says, peering into the cupboard. “Yeah I think so.” He paws through the mugs and Trace snorts.

“She has a specific style of mug she likes for her coffee?” Trace asks and Charlotte looks at him nodding seriously and he shakes his head. “That woman is…” he trails when Charlotte eyes him hard as she opens the refrigerator door and he purses his lips looking at the floor.

“Found one!” Justin exclaims pulling a delicate looking cup with a thin loop of a handle out of the cabinet. “I thought we’d bought one for her.”

“Uh, Justin?” Charlotte says, her stomach curling as she pushes things aside in the fridge, searching and praying. “Do you have any half and half?”

Justin’s eyes widen slightly. Oh no…

“I told my mom to get some,” he says, nudging Charlotte out of the way, his blue eyes scanning the contents of the fridge.

“I don’t see any,” Charlotte says and they both look at each other, panic painting their faces.

“I could run to the store really quick,” Justin says and Charlotte bites her lip.

“How long will that take?”

“Charlotte!” Amelia’s voice calls from the living room and they both cringe.

“Are you two fucking kidding me!” Trace exclaims finally and they turn to find him gazing at both of them with a look of utter disbelief on his face. “There’s milk in there isn’t there?”

“Yeah but that’s not the same,” Charlotte says and Trace rolls his eyes.

“Then give her half as much as she usually takes…instant half and half,” Trace says shrugging and Justin sighs.

“We only have whole milk,” he says and Charlotte runs a hand over her face.

“Oh god…”

Trace blinks. “So. I’m sure she’s had whole milk before. You drink…” he trails as Justin’s face goes uncomfortable. “Oh god you started drinking two percent?” Justin shifts and Trace’s eyes widen. “Skim?”

“Amelia drinks soy,” Charlotte says and Trace throws his hands in the air, making a disgusted sound in his throat.

“Gimme that!” he says snatching the mug from Justin’s hand and jerking the coffee pot from the hotplate. “You people are insane you know that?” he asks, pouring coffee into the mug and both Justin and Charlotte have to bite back the admonition that Amelia likes the sugar put in first and the coffee poured over it. “She can handle having her coffee just slightly different once.” Trace says, ripping the jug of milk out of the fridge and tipping some in the cup. He holds it out to Charlotte who looks at it for a moment before taking it.

“I’ll do it,” Justin says, taking the cup from her, patting her shoulder. Trace was his friend. If he wanted to set Amelia off Charlotte shouldn’t have to bear the brunt of it.

“Oh my god,” he says rolling his eyes, taking the cup from Justin and stomping towards the living room. “I’ll do it, you fuckin pansy asses.”

“Well…” Justin says with a sigh, watching Trace’s retreating form as he reaches for the coffee pot. “We tried.”

“Maybe we should go in there,” Charlotte says, shifting uneasily and jumping as Justin tips coffee into her mug.

“You couldn’t pay me to go in there,” Justin says reaching for the milk and pouring some into her mug and Charlotte chuckles, watching him amused as he reaches for the sugar. “Two?” he asks, shaking the packets and Charlotte nods.

“How do you know how I like my coffee?” she asks and he grins, ripping open the packets and pouring the contents into her mug.

“I know everything,” he says, tugging open a drawer and plucking out a spoon. Charlotte laughs.

“Doubt that,” she smirks as he stirs her coffee slowly before dropping the spoon in the sink.

“Actually you like it the same way I do,” he says, taking the mug from her and taking a sip before handing it back to her, grinning cheekily.

Charlotte eyes him skeptically as she brings her mug to her lips, sipping slowly and it tastes perfect to her. Justin smiles, patting her shoulder as he leans against the counter, letting his head tip back, his eyes closing and he sighs letting Charlotte see for the first time that he’s just as tired as she is.

“What time did Amelia get you up?” Charlotte asks softly, sipping her coffee and a bitter smile tugs at Justin’s lips.

“Eight,” he says with a sigh and Charlotte cringes.

“How are you even standing right now?” she asks and he chuckles.

“I used to survive on two hours of sleep a night for months at a time,” Justin responds with a sigh, eyeing the mug in her hand and Charlotte glances down, running her fingers over the shiny logo against the white ceramic. “That was awhile ago though,” he adds with a yawn.

“And you’re older now,” Charlotte smirks and Justin’s eyes snap open.

“Oh god not you too,” he chuckles.

“Thirty is not old,” Charlotte argues and Justin sighs, jumping as Buckley sits down at his feet, looking up at him expectantly.

“Oh really? How old are you again?” he asks, crouching down to rub Buckley’s face and the dog’s eyes sink closed in pleasure.

“Twenty-four,” Charlotte replies and Justin snorts.

“Yeah I didn’t think thirty was old then either. Wait till you’re right up on it,” he scoffs, rubbing Buckley’s head roughly before standing again and his knees pop loudly. He winces. “A lot of things change in those six years.”

“CHARLOTTE!!!” Amelia’s voice rings shrilly from the living room and they both cringe.

“A lot can change,” Justin repeats with a heavy sigh.

***

“Boy, if you don’t get out from under my feet I’m gonna whip you,” Sadie exclaims, sending Justin scurrying to the other side of the kitchen island.

Charlotte giggles at him as she rinses dishes in the sink, handing them to Lynn who puts them in the dishwasher. Dinner was a rowdy affair, everyone grappling for ham and potatoes, green beans and rolls, laughing and joking over the Frank Sinatra record, an actual record, that cracks and warbles in the background. Sadie is pulling a pecan pie out of the oven, Justin hovering over her shoulder expectantly.

“Dude you’re like a little fu-…friggin kid,” Trace amends from his seat at the kitchen table and Justin scowls at his friend.

“Justin sit down,” Amelia scolds and Justin plops down on a bar stool across from his grandmother, watching diligently as she reaches for a knife.

“Act like I’m not gonna give you any,” Sadie mutters to herself as she poises the knife over the pie. “You wanna do this?” she asks and Justin grins standing to walk back around the island and taking the knife from her, cutting the smallest sliver of a piece.

He grabs a fork, tugging the gooey piece from the pie pan. “You want some?” Justin asks his grandmother, holding the fork out to her and she stands on her tip toes to take the bite. “Too bad!” Justin exclaims popping it into his mouth and Sadie scoffs, pinching his side. Justin laughs as he swallows, grinning.

“Quit being mean to your grandmother,” Billy scolds lightly and Justin ducks his head, forking up another piece and offering it to her. She eyes him before taking it.

“Who wants a piece?” she asks and a chorus of “me!’s” echoes from all around the room.

Lynn and Charlotte wipe their hands on dish towels, Charlotte moving around the counter to sit at the island to wait for her piece of pie. She watches as Justin waits impatiently for the old woman to wrestle a piece of pie onto his plate and he takes it immediately, his fork digging in and she thinks she hears Amelia scoff but she can’t quite tell over the swell of the music. Today has been such a wonderful day, just hanging out with Justin’s family. She’d almost forgotten how much she missed her own.

“Your parents call yet?” Justin asks as if reading her mind and she can’t help but grin at him, his mouth full of pie.

“Not yet,” Charlotte says with a sigh, smiling at Sadie as she hands her a piece of pie. “Thank you.”

“Do you and your family do anything special for Christmas, Charlotte?” Sadie asks politely and Charlotte shrugs.

“We all watch It’s A Wonderful Life together,” Charlotte says, smiling at the memory. “And my brothers and I usually spend all day trying to pick which present we’re going to open.” Charlotte giggles. “Oh we’re only allowed one present on Christmas Eve.” She adds by way of explanation.

“That’s just cruel,” Justin manages to say around the food in his mouth and Sadie purses her lips at him.

“Just because they didn’t spoil her rotten doesn’t mean it’s cruel,” Sadie says, cutting her eyes at her grandson who snorts, shoveling the last of his pie into his mouth.

“Yeah we open all our presents on Christmas Eve because someone is impatient,” Rachel says leaning against the counter and waiting for Sadie to make up a few plates for her to distribute around the table.

“I am not impatient,” Justin scoffs, turning to drop his plate into the sink causing Lynn to hurry behind him and rinse it to put in the dishwasher.

“When he was nine we let him open one present every hour,” Lynn says and Charlotte’s eyes widen slightly as Justin ducks his head.

Charlotte watches him in silent wonder. “Didn’t you run out of presents?”

Justin’s ears are red as he refuses to take his eyes off his grandmother’s hands. “No, actually.” He clears his throat embarrassed.

Just then the record on the player stalls, switching to the next song and Justin grins as the horn ensemble buzzes, his hips starting to sway. He grins, scooping his grandmother into his arms and chuckling at her cry of surprise as he pulls her into a Swing step.

“I won't dance, don't ask me / I won't dance, don't ask me / I won't dance, Madame, with yoooooooou.” He sings and all conversation stops to allow them to watch as Justin swings Sadie around the kitchen, the old woman smiling widely. “My heart won't let my feet do things that they should do.”

The rest of the room whoops and hollers, watching in amusement as Justin spins Sadie away from him before pulling her back to him again, his voice ringing out over the record. “You know what? you're lovely / You know what? you're so lovely / And, oh, what you do to meeeeee” Justin presses his hand to his chest dramatically, grinning at the blush that comes over his grandmother’s cheeks. “I'm like an ocean wave that's bumped on the shore / I feel so absolutely stumped on the floor.”

Justin releases Sadie only to reach for his mother who squeals in surprise, her hands going to his shoulders and they both laugh as he pulls her close, swaying her from side to side as the music slows. “When you dance, you're charming and you're gentle / 'specially when you do the Continental”

The rest of the room cheers as Justin grips Lynn around the waist and they take four steps, Charlotte marveling as their legs crisscross and then turn, each giving a little kick with their feet. They fall out of the Continental as quickly as they slipped into it and Charlotte now knows where Justin’s dancing ability came from. “But this feeling isn't purely mental / For, heaven rest us, I am not asbestos!”

“And that's whyyyyy…” Justin spins his mother off, reaching for Rachel who giggles, allowing him to spin and dip her. “I won't dance, why should I? / I won't dance, how could I? / I won't dance,…”  He bows to his cousin who does a flourished curtsy in return. “Merci beaucoup.” They both laugh as he snatches her close again, swaying to the jazzy trumpets “I know that music leads the way to romance,” He spins her away from him. “So if I hold you in arms I won't dance!”

Ginger squeals delightedly as Justin offers her his hand, Trace snorting beside her and Charlotte thinks she hears him mutter “showoff” as Justin swings Ginger around. “I won't dance, don't ask me, / I won't dance, don't ask me / I won't dance, Madame, with you.” Justin dips her, laughing as she giggles, pulling her up swiftly and spinning her back to where she falls into her chair. “My heart won't let my feet do things that they want to do”

Justin grins, soft shoeing over to Charlotte who can’t help the grin on her face as he sings to her “You know what?” He takes her hand, bowing to her. “you're lovely,” He pulls her off her barstool, stealing her breath as he pulls her into his arms. “Ring-a-ding-ding, you're sooo lovely” Her eyes meet his and she grins as he presses his hand to his heart dramatically. “And, oh, what you do to me.”  He spins her, turning her so that her back his pressed to his front, his chin hooked on her shoulder as he sways them, his voice causing goose bumps to rise on her skin “I'm like an ocean wave that's bumped on the shore / I feel so absolutely stumped on the floor.”

He brings her arm over her head, twirling her back around and his hand settles on her lower back, tugging her close while the other presses her hand over his heart. She gasps, feeling it thud steadily against her palm as he sings to her, swaying her slowly, his eyes dancing happily. “When you dance, you're charming and you're gentle / 'specially when you do the Continental” He spins her out, the room whirring by in a blur of color and smiling faces and she’s tethered to him only by her hand in his. “But this feeling isn't purely mental” He jerks her towards him and she’s spinning back, so dizzy from the movement she fears she may topple over but she lands right back against his chest, falling against him clumsily and he laughs. “For, heaven rest us, I am not asbestos!”

He’s gone in the flurry of movement in which he came, spinning over to Amelia who sits in her chair watching in cynical amusement. He offers his hand to her, bowing low and she shakes her head at him. He smirks, grabbing her arm anyway and pulling her from her chair with a gasp.

“and that's why / I won't dance, I won't dance / I. won't. dance,”  He spins her out, and Charlotte envies the grace with which she twirls, wondering how someone can go from stiff to fluid in a matter of seconds. Justin bows to her, smirking as he continues to sing.  “Merci beaucoup.” Amelia nods her head primly, a smile pulling at her full lips and Charlotte can’t help but see the girl she used to be. The girl that Justin loves, that he’s holding onto so tightly. Justin seems to notice too because his smile lights up the room. “I know that music leads the way to romance / So if I hold you in arms I won't dance!!”

He finishes by dipping Amelia low, almost completely to the floor, one leg swept out gracefully behind him and the entire room erupts into applause, even little Hannah who looks elated at everyone’s gaiety. Amelia reaches to cover her face with her hands, laughing herself and Justin pulls her upright again, kissing her flushed cheek and they look happy. They look really genuinely happy and Charlotte forces herself not to be disappointed in that fact.  

Charlotte nearly jumps out of her skin as a jaunty polka tune blares from her pocket and all eyes turn to her. Justin’s smile fades as he watches her fumble in the pouch of her hoodie for her phone. The caller I.D. reads “home” and her heart wells in her chest, a smile pulling across her face, and Justin is momentarily dazed by the happiness that radiates off of her.

“It’s my parents,” she says, flicking her phone open and turning for the stairs. “Excuse me…”

Justin watches as she turns, enjoying the little laugh she emits before quietly saying “hi Dad” as she trots towards the stairs. Her pony tail swishes behind her, the light catching on the strands of gold he’d never quite noticed woven into the chestnut brown. He wonders why he also never noticed what a great… Amelia’s hand pats his chest and his attention is snapped back as he smiles back at his family, squeezing Amelia around the waist and he pushes the thought from his mind.
Chapter 15 pt 2 by SomethingBlue42
***

When Charlotte makes her way back down the stairs she finds the kitchen empty, the record player silent. Her brow creases as she follows the sounds of voices out into the hall and finds everyone congregated in the living room again. Billie and Sadie are sitting on the couch next to Lynn and Paul, cups of coffee in their hands and chatting easily. Trace is sitting in an overstuffed chair with Ginger leaning against his legs, his fingers combing through her coppery hair as he talks to Justin who is settled next to Amelia on the love seat, Brennan laying across his feet. Brad and Rachel are sitting next to the tree on the floor, watching Hannah as she holds a small present, shaking it furiously in her tiny hands as Buckley watches, snorting as his tail wags happily.

“Bout time you got down here!” Justin exclaims when he sees her and Charlotte looks at him perplexed, curling her legs underneath her as she sits on the floor near Ginger.  Buckley trots over, sitting down next to her and nuzzling her ear which causes her to jump. She giggles as she rubs his ears. Justin smiles. “We were waiting on you to open presents.”

“See Charlotte he’s not impatient at all,” Lynn deadpans and Justin scowls playfully at his mother before grinning widely.

“You didn’t have to wait,” Charlotte says shaking her head, her hand moving methodically over Buckley’s back. “It’s not like I have any-”

“This one’s for you,” Rachel says, waddling over on her knees and handing Charlotte a brightly wrapped package that is flat and square. Charlotte looks around bewildered.

“Come on you didn’t think you wouldn’t have anything to open on Christmas Eve!” Justin exclaims as he rips into his own package joyously, Amelia watching in light amusement as she peels the wrapping off of one of hers.

“You didn’t have to do that,” Charlotte says softly, feeling bad that she didn’t think to get them all anything.

The tag reads “From the family” and Charlotte fights the sting of tears, grateful that they included her. Buckley sniffs the package interestedly and she nudges him a little with her shoulder, causing him to pull back and watch, his tail still swishing across the carpet happily. She grins widely as she rips open the paper, gasping as she uncovers a gray cardboard sleeve wrapped in shrink wrap. A man with dark tussled hair and small glasses gazes back at her stoically from the cover and the words “Imagine, John Lennon” are written in lowercase block letters.

“That’s a first edition LP press,” Justin says as he pulls a dark brown sweater from a box and grins over at his mother. “Thanks Mom!”

“Wow this is…” Charlotte says, running her fingers over the record, not even able to form words.

Her parents used to listen to this record on the weekends, just letting it play as they went about their business. Her mother loved the Beatles. She guessed that’s where her penchant for pop music came from. She remembered her mother saying that the day that John Lennon died was one of the saddest of her life, how she’d felt so lost and despondent, almost as if she had known him. She remembered how her mother had laughed then and said she guessed, in a way, she had.

“Justin said you liked John Lennon,” Lynn says smirking at her son. “Because he’s John Lennon…he said.”

“Well yes of course,” Charlotte replies absently still marveling. “This is too much you guys.” Charlotte says hugging the record to her chest and Lynn waves a hand.

“We’re just glad you could spend the holiday with us,” she says dismissively as she tries to rip the paper off the large box in her lap. “Justin! Oh honey this is great!” she exclaims as she tilts the box, looking at the picture of the mixer on the front.

“The guy at Williams Sonoma told me that that thing would be perfect.” Justin says as Amelia hands him a long rectangular gift, wrapped in gold with a pretty silver bow. “If it’s not I’m gonna chuck it through their store window.”

“Well if it doesn’t work I can use one of the many other mixers you’ve gotten me,” Lynn teases and Justin waves a hand dismissively.

“The one is too big and the other one flings batter. It’s a piece of shit.”

“Oh hush and open your present,” Amelia says and Justin grins at her.

“Is this one from you?” he asks and Amelia nods, smiling smugly as he tears into the wrapping paper.

“Should I open it in front of all these people?” Justin asks smirking at her and Amelia rolls her eyes. “There are children present mind you.”

He unearths a black and white box Charlotte immediately recognizes as one of the boxes she picked up from Saks a few weeks ago and if memory serves her right Justin was about to be very disappointed. He’s grinning widely as he pulls the top off and as he flicks away the tissue paper he has to force his brow from creasing as he pulls out a cream pajama shirt made of fine silk.

“Wow!” Justin says, looking into the box and finding matching pants inside. “Thanks baby these are great.”

“They match mine,” Amelia says smiling and as she reaches over to run her finger over the breast pocket she adds, “Except yours have a J.”

“Those are nice man,” Trace sniggers as he pulls a gift bag into his lap. Ginger is on her knees in front of him, her palms on his denim clad thighs, watching his face eagerly. “Hey!” Trace exclaims joyously as he pulls out a stainless steel hip flask with the Jack Daniels logo etched into it. “Cool!”

“Keep going!” Ginger says, bouncing on her knees and Trace grins digging his arm further into the bag.

“Shot glasses!” Trace exclaims as he pull out three stainless steel shot glasses also etched with the Jack Daniels logo.

“One more!” Ginger grins and Charlotte fears the girl’s face is going to split open from smiling so hard.

Trace reaches down into the depths of the bag and comes back with an index card. Charlotte can barely make out the loopy scroll written in hot pink gel pen. “Good for one…” His eyes widen as his voice cuts off, his eyes going to Ginger who’s smirking at him sexily and he grins widely. “Well…if that’s not a good present I don’t know what is.” He wiggles his eyebrows, reaching out to snatch her into his lap and she squeals girlishly.

Justin looks down at the pajamas in his lap and frowns for a moment before sighing and setting them aside. He shouldn’t be ungrateful. Amelia doesn’t give racy presents. That’s just not who she is. But he loves her and whatever she deems to get him he loves automatically. He really does.

“Hey you want yours,” Justin grins excitedly, poking Amelia in the ribs and she swats at his hands nodding, turning to Rachel awaiting her package. “Come on,” Justin says taking her hand and hauling her off the love seat, Brennan scurrying over to lay at Lynn’s feet where she won’t be disturbed again.

The room quiets slightly as Justin pulls her over to the piano and sits down on the bench. Amelia looks down at him perplexed before he pats the open space beside him and she sighs sitting next to him, crossing her arms over her chest.

“I heard this on the radio a month or so ago,” he says softly, leaning so that his arm is touching hers as his fingers dance down the keys, coaxing out a familiar melody “remember?” he asks softly and Amelia’s eyes tighten as she listens and then a smile tugs at her lips as she recognizes it. Justin grins widely. “It always reminded me of you when we were first dating. Remember?”

“That’s nice dea-” Amelia starts but is cut off as Justin lets the piano swell and she sighs, waiting as patiently as she can as he starts to sing.

She can kill with a smile / She can wound with her eyes / She can ruin your faith with her casual lies,” Justin sings, gazing at her fondly and she watches him, her blue eyes mildly amused. He grins looking down at the keys. He knew she’d like it. “And she only reveals what she wants you to see / She hides like a child but she's always a woman to me…”

Charlotte watches in awe as Justin lets the music flow through him, a tenderness in his voice she hadn’t heard before. His blue eyes dance happily as he watches Amelia’s face, her smile soft as her eyes flit from his face to his hands and she almost looks as if she’s enjoying it. Charlotte has never seen them like this, never seen them look so…together. She’s seen them fight and she’s seen Justin fighting for her attention and she’s seen Amelia fighting his personality but it’s always been a fight, a struggle. But now, this moment as Justin sings to her and she listens she can almost envision the way they were three years ago when they first got together. She can almost see them happy. Almost.

…She is frequently kind / And she's suddenly cruel,” Justin smirks at her and she narrows her eyes at him in a playful way. “She can do as she pleases / She's nobody's fool / And she can't be convicted she's earned her degree / And the most she will do is throw shadows at you / But she's always a woman to me.”

Charlotte relishes in the shiver that runs through her as he begins to hum the melody, his fingers coaxing the last of the song from the instrument and his head bows as he presses the last cord. Amelia smiles softly at him as his eyes meet hers again and he grins widely, pleased with himself for not just getting her something but thinking about her, about them. He reaches onto the piano and hands her a slim CD case.

“I recorded it,” he says and she looks at the silver CD through the clear case, his untidy scrawl marking it with his name and hers and the name of the song along with the date.

“Thank you,” Amelia says stiffly, curling her fingers around the case and holding it in her lap, smiling tightly at him. “That’s…wonderful, Justin. Thank you.”

He sighs, his chest tightening in disappointment, as he leans back on the bench, reaching under the tree and pulling out a small square box wrapped in bright paper.

“Yeah yeah,” Justin responds dryly, handing Amelia the package and her face lights up, tearing into the paper.

“Oh Justin!” she grins as her fingers brush over the velvet box, prying it open eagerly. “Oh darling they’re beautiful!” She exclaims, examining the large diamond earrings inside before snapping the box shut and holding it to her chest. “Thank you!” she exclaims her arms going around her neck.

“I know what my girl likes,” Justin grins, patting her back lightly, nuzzling her neck with his nose and she giggles, pulling back to open the box again.

“Oh these are just perfect,” she says, standing from the piano bench to move back to the love seat, reaching to undo the earrings already in her ears.

“Glad you like them,” Justin says, picking up the CD from where it’d fallen from her lap to the floor and Charlotte thinks her heart may break as he sits it on the music stand on the piano before sighing and moving to sit next to his fiancé again.

“Justin!” Rachel says, fake cheeriness in her voice and the room seems to animate again, everyone smiling although Charlotte can’t help but notice the tension in it. “Another one for you. From Charlotte.”

“Aw Charlie you didn’t have to get me a gift,” Justin grins grabbing the package eagerly.

“Yeah, yeah,” Charlotte replies dryly, grinning at the elated look on his face as he rips open the paper.  He looks confused as he surveys the picture on the box. “It’s a weather tracker.”

He looks up at her and they both burst out laughing at their little inside joke, Sadie and Lynn sharing a look that doesn’t go unnoticed by Trace and Rachel who share one of their own. Justin grins widely, flipping the box over to read the specs. His eyebrows rise in amusement.

“Oh I see how it is,” Justin says smarmily eyeing her from across the room. “You just wanna get out of doing your job by getting me something that will tell me the weather. Slacker.”

“Well I can try. There’s no guarantee you’ll figure out how to use it,” Charlotte shoots back and Justin narrows his eyes at her.

“You know, I forget how to put a person on hold one time and I’m branded as a technological idiot.”

“It wouldn’t have been so bad if there wasn’t a large red button with the word “HOLD” in big white letters at the top of your phone,” Charlotte muses, a look of mock contemplation on her face before she smirks at Justin. He just grins

“Thanks Charlie,” he says, setting the box gingerly on the floor next to his feet.

“There should be something under there for Amelia too,” Charlotte says, watching Amelia eye Justin’s present suspiciously.

“Yep here it is,” Rachel says, handing Amelia a flat red box about the size of a candy bar with a big red bow.

Charlotte’s palms are sweating as Amelia takes the package, looking at it appraisingly. Charlotte had been at a loss as to what to get Amelia for Christmas but she couldn’t just not get her something, especially when she had found the perfect gift for Justin. So in a moment of panic she had spent her entire Christmas bonus on a spa package from the fancy salon Amelia frequented. Thinking back on it, it was probably kind of ridiculous to spend that kind of money on something that Amelia probably wouldn’t even like. Amelia’s face is perfectly blank as she undoes the bow and Charlotte holds her breath. The small flaps of the box open and Charlotte is not even sure if he heart is beating anymore as she waits for her reaction. Amelia’s ice blue eyes flit to Charlotte’s face and she does something that Charlotte really hadn’t been expecting. She smiles.

“Thank you, Charlotte,” she says, her voice genuine and Justin peers over her shoulder, reading the certificate inside.

“Oooo good call,” Justin says, nodding his head in approval and Charlotte grins, her body untensing finally. Buckley rests his mammoth head on her shoulder and she jumps, looking over at him and she pats his head.

“And one more for Charlotte!” Rachel says giggling as she hands Charlotte a large box and Charlotte looks perplexed.

“That’s from Justin and I,” Amelia says, leaning against Justin who looks up from the present in his hands and his eyes widen at her. His face is grave as he points to himself and shakes his head at her as if to say “not me.”

Charlotte eyes the gift in her hands cautiously, tearing into the paper and her fingers swipe across a brown box, the words “Louis Vuitton” stamped in large black san serif type. Buckley leans in to get a good sniff and she has to push at him with her elbow until he sits back again. Charlotte looks up slightly baffled and Amelia smiles widely, nodding her head. Charlotte’s eyes flit to Justin who gives her an apologetic smile as she pulls the top off the box, brushing aside the tissue paper.

Charlotte’s eyes widen as she pulls out a brown leather handbag embossed with “LOUIS VUITTON PARIS” over and over again all over the bag. Her fingers run through the pompom charm attached, seemingly at random near the bottom right portion of the bag. It is the single most hideous thing Charlotte has ever seen. Buckley sniffs at it and snorts, backing away to sit next to Justin who rubs his ears amusedly.

“Wow,” is all she can muster, holding the bag in her hands, the leather soft against her palms and she really has no idea what to say.

“It’s fabulous isn’t it?” Amelia gushes and Justin has to bite back his laugh. Only Amelia would mistake Charlotte’s horror for elation.

“Is it real?” Charlotte asks dumbly, turning it over and over in her hands, wondering if she was really going to have to wear this ridiculous thing that probably cost more than her entire wardrobe.

Amelia scoffs. “Of course it’s real! Honestly Charlotte!” Amelia chuckles, shaking her head. “After I saw that horrendous tote bag you had on the plane…” she shudders and Charlotte bites her lip, thinking of the bag her mother had made her, sitting innocuously upstairs.

“Amelia,” Justin scolds quietly but she waves him off dismissively.

“Every girl needs a nice bag,” Amelia says nodding assuredly. “And you definitely do. I mean it will completely dress up your entire wardrobe.”

“Amelia,” Justin says again and she looks at him annoyed.

“What?” she says and then turning back to Charlotte smiling. “It will! Look inside.”

Charlotte is almost afraid to undo the zipper but she does as she’s told and inside is a white leather wallet. Charlotte pulls it out, the light glinting off the tiny “PRADA” emblem on the front.

“I know I know, it doesn’t match,” Amelia says with a sigh but then she smiles brilliantly. “But it’s Christmas and you need Prada.”

“Thank…thank you,” Charlotte stutters quietly, not really knowing what else to say.

“You’re welcome,” Amelia says nodding and looking very pleased with herself.

“That’s all Hannah,” Rachel says, looking at her daughter who is happily shredding all the wrapping paper within her reach, her new toys laying forgotten next to her. “No more presents.”

“Wait!” Trace says, holding up a hand as he reaches around the side of his chair, pulling out a crudely wrapped package. “This is for Amelia.”

Justin and Amelia both look slightly horrified as Trace hands the gift to Ginger who in turn waddles her way over to Amelia, handing it to her shyly. Justin gives his friend a searching look and Trace winks back at him, grinning cheekily. Justin swallows hard. This can only end badly.

“Oh Trace I feel bad. I didn’t get you anything,” Amelia says but her tone suggests otherwise. She pokes at the wrapping paper wearily.

“You don’t have to open that now,” Justin says nervously and Trace shakes his head.

“Nah J she’s gonna like it,” Trace says nodding and Amelia eyes him in a way that says she thinks this is highly unlikely.

Amelia peels back the wrapping paper and her eyes widen as she uncovers a bottle of wine. The cork is covered in red wax that extends down to where the neck expands into the body and the label is a simple eggshell color written entirely in French.

“Justin told me you liked Pinot Noir,” Trace says and Amelia looks up at him dumbfounded.

“I…I do,” Amelia says still blinking at his slowly.

“That’s a 1990 vintage too which was a great year.”

“Yes…I…I know,” she says looking at him, her eyes narrowing in wonder and everyone can practically hear her thinking but how the hell do you know that?

“And Domaine de la Romanee Conti is the best.”

The entire room turns to look at him amazed as he rolls off the name with a flawless French accent. Even Justin is too impressed to laugh. Trace smiles, trying very hard to not look too pleased with himself. Amelia is, possibly for the first time in her entire life, speechless.

“Thank you, Trace,” she says her voice thin as her eyes rove over the bottle one more time. “This is…”

“Don’t mention it,” Trace says grinning widely and Charlotte looks back at him in wonder. He glances down at her giving her a quick wink and she smiles. She knows better than most that nothing is more satisfying than proving Amelia wrong.

“Well would you look at this mess?” Lynn says with a sigh and Charlotte looks around finding the floor hidden by piles of wrapping paper.

“I’ll help you honey,” Sadie says patting her daughter’s leg as she reaches for the coffee mugs on the table.

“I got that,” Justin says suddenly and his mother and grandmother look at him as if he’s just spoken in tongues. “Charlie you wanna help me with these?” he asks gathering a few mugs and Lynn and Sadie share a look.

“Sure,” Charlotte says standing and taking the cups in his hands as he retrieves the other two from the coffee table. Amelia’s eyes narrow watching the two of them for half a second before chuckling a little to herself and shrugging it off.

Justin follows her out of the living room, stepping carefully over the paper strewn floor and into the hallway towards the kitchen. It seems so quiet without the rustle of paper and the raucous noise of laughter and chatter that Charlotte feels slightly awkward, placing the cups in the sink and turning to take the mugs in Justin’s hands.

“Hey, I’m sorry about what Amelia said in there,” Justin says quietly and Charlotte shakes her head.

“Its fine,” Charlotte says, rinsing the glasses and refusing to meet his eyes.

“Hey, I got something for you,” he says after a moment and she turns to find him pulling a square blue box from his pocket. “I know you love the purse we got you…” he chuckles, “but…” he trails not knowing exactly what to say so instead he shoves the box into her hands.

She laughs slightly, her face heating a little as she looks at the box, the words “TIFFANY & CO” stamped in black. She looks up at him skeptically and he just nods his head at her, urging her to continue. She opens the box, setting the lid on the counter and inside is a small velvet bag the same blue color with the same logo stamped on it. Charlotte’s brow creases thinking this is a little redundant as she dips her hand in the bag and her fingers close around something hard and cold. When she pulls her hand out, in between her fingers is a small pendant on a chain. She runs her thumb over the small circular shape of it, the antiqued silver glinting in the dim light. She can make out the small letters on the four spikes around the center circle, an “N” on the top, an “S” on the bottom, a “W” on the left, and an “E” on the right.

“It’s a compass,” he says and she looks up at him, his blue eyes shining in the semidarkness. “For when you feel lost.”

Her breath catches in her throat as the memory hits her full force.

“Alright all your phone calls have been made, your emails have been sent, your appointments are set and everything is ready for Felicity on Monday,” Charlotte says, glancing quickly over the portfolio in her hand as she walks through Justin’s office door. “It’s Friday. It’s 5 o’clock. Let’s get the hell outta…”

Her voice trails as she looks up and finds Justin standing in front of the large window, his body silhouetted by the New York skyline. The sun is setting over Central Park, painting the city orange, pink, and gold and the light dances across the dark walls of his office in a beautiful waltz of color and light. Justin’s arms are crossed over his chest, his shoulders broad underneath the stark white of his dress shirt, his dark gray slacks tailored perfectly to his slim waist. He turns his head and a smile tugs at his lips as Charlotte moves to stand beside him, staring out over the city in awe.

“Beautiful isn’t it?” he asks, his voice hushed in reverence and Charlotte nods.

She’d never really felt one way or the other about New York. So many people moved there and loved it or lived there all their lives and couldn’t imagine living anywhere else. She moved casually from day to day with a particular ambivalence to the city itself, sometimes crossing into annoyance at the crowds, sometimes hating the noise and rudeness of the people but she never really loved it. Until now.

“You know sometimes I really hate this fucking city,” Justin says with a sigh and Charlotte can’t help the smile that tugs at her lips. “And then I see this…” He sighs again.

“Its beautiful,” Charlotte says with a quiet nod.

She remembers the first time she ever came to this city, the hustle and bustle as she drug her bags out of Grand Central Station and onto the bright city street, the skyscrapers climbing for miles over her head. She was knocked around and bumped into and she was scared and alone. Even after four years of living here she still felt that way sometimes.

“Doesn’t it just make you feel…” he trails searching for the proper word and before Charlotte can stop herself she says:

“Lost.”

Her eyes widen at her accidental confession and her eyes meet his before immediately looking at the floor. There goes her mouth again.

“Big city,” Justin says with a nod, watching her and enjoying the pinkness of her cheeks. “Easy to feel lost here.”

She feels his hand on her shoulder, warm and heavy and it’s gone just as quickly as it was there, not even giving her a chance to cringe. She shifts awkwardly.

“If only I had a compass,” she deadpans with a sigh and he lets his head fall back in a laugh. “A little guidance. That’s all I need.”

Justin turns to her smiling. “Don’t we all.”

Charlotte blinks hard, trying to clear the memory from her mind and looks up to find Justin looking at her a little uncertainly, wondering if she even knows what he’s talking about. She smiles brilliantly up at him and his uncertainty melts away, returning her smile.

“This is great, Justin,” Charlotte says running her fingers over the tiny pendant and he smiles.

“Yeah I was gonna have it inscribed with that on it,” he says rubbing a hand over the back of his neck and shifting. “But I thought that would be gay.”

Charlotte chuckles. “I wouldn’t have minded,” she says setting the box and bag down on the counter, fumbling to unhook the clasp.

“I can drop it back off at Tiffany of you want,” he says reaching to take it from her and she looks up at him, her green eyes wide.

“No!” she exclaims, pulling it back towards her chest and he raises an eyebrow at her amused. Her cheeks redden. “I mean its fine the way it is.”

She shifts as she finally gets the clasp open, dipping her head as she reaches behind her to clasp it.

“Here,” Justin says softly, taking the necklace from her and motioning for her to turn around.

She does so slowly, feeling slightly awkward as he lifts the necklace over her head, looping it around her neck. She feels his pinky graze the back of her neck, flicking her pony tail out the way and she reaches around to grab it, holding it over her shoulder as she feels him do the clasp, the coolness of the metal resting at the nape of her neck. She jumps as she feels his warm fingertips smooth across the back of her neck, adjusting the chain just slightly and she reaches for the pendant, tugging it so it falls against her chest. She turns, fingering the tiny compass, her chin tucked against her chest to try and see what it looks like against the pale skin exposed by the v-neck of her sweater.

She looks up and finds Justin staring at it as well and his eyes linger for a beat before meeting hers and she smiles at him.

“Thank you,” she says and before she can fully process the action she’s standing on her tiptoes, her arms reaching to circle around his neck.

His arms slip around her waist automatically as she presses her body to his and he’s surrounded by the smell of mint and clean skin, her body soft and pliable against his own. Her temple is warm, pressed against his ear and he fights the urge to turn his head and press his face into her neck. She gives him a light squeeze before stepping back slightly, her arms sliding from around his neck.

Someone clears their throat loudly from the doorway and Justin cranes his neck, his hands resting on Charlotte’s hips unconsciously as her hands smooth down his chest. Trace is standing in the doorway, looking at them both with a raised eyebrow, hands full of crumpled wrapping paper. Charlotte takes a large step back, reaching up to tuck her hair nervously behind her ear then remembers she put it up.

Trace looks at Justin, questions in his eyes, the same questions he’d seen in his mother’s eyes a few days ago. Questions he didn’t necessarily like or want to think about at the moment. He looks at the floor, shifting uncomfortably and he can feel his best friend’s eyes on him still.

“They need trash bags,” Trace says lightly and Justin nods, scrambling for the cabinet under the sink.

“I’ll take em in there,” Justin says, grabbing the whole box and scurrying from the room leaving Trace and Charlotte alone.

Charlotte gives Trace a weak smile, flicking on the water and rinsing out the coffee mugs even though she’d already done it once before. Trace sidles up next to her, opening the cabinet beneath the sink and cramming the wrapping paper in his hands into the trash can. He closes the cabinet, leaning back against the counter and watching as Charlotte opens the dishwasher to place the mugs inside, avoiding Trace’s gaze until it’s absolutely impossible not to. When she finally looks at him she finds him watching her amusedly, his arms crossed over his chest.

“You fuckin my best friend?” he asks bluntly and Charlotte’s green eyes go so wide he fears they may just fall out of her skull.

“Wha…N-no,” she stutters her cheeks flaming red and Trace nods.

“You guys together in any way at all?” he asks casually and Charlotte shakes her head violently.

“No…no of course not,” she says, gulping in air as if she can’t breathe. She scowls up at Trace as her heart rate slows just a little. “Why do people keep asking me-”

“Because he’s himself with you,” Trace says cutting her off and shrugging. “Or the old him, I guess. He smiles. And he laughs and he seems happy.” Trace says and his eyes soften as he looks at her. “You make him happy.”

Charlotte slams the dishwasher shut, suddenly very flustered. “There’s nothing going on.”

Trace smiles but there’s sadness in his eyes “That’s too bad.”

Charlotte’s jaw drops, her brow creasing as she gawks at him. “You’d want him to cheat on his fiancé?”

“I want him to love his fiancé,” Trace corrects her and his eyes turn serious. “Tell me Charlotte do you really honestly believe that Justin loves Amelia?”

“Yes,” Charlotte says automatically and Trace lets his head fall to the side giving her a dubious look. She shifts. “He must…why else would-” she cuts herself off.

Trace chuckles. “Why else would he put up with her?” Charlotte blushes and Trace sighs. “I’ve been asking myself that for a long time.”

They’re silent then, both just looking at each other and Charlotte isn’t exactly sure what he wants from her. Justin and Amelia seem to have some kind of unbreakable bond that keeps them tethered together. They have to. It’s the only explanation.

“He loves her, Trace,” Charlotte says softly and Trace shrugs.

“Alright,” he says with a sigh. “But my bet’s on you.”

“Me!” Charlotte exclaims scoffing and Trace chuckles. “I am not involved in this at all. There is nothing going on.”

“I know,” Trace says smirking at her as he pushes off the counter and traipsing towards the living room. And under his breath, so no one else can hear, he mutters. “yet.”
Chapter 16 by SomethingBlue42
   
“I’ll have the Lombata di Vitello con Funghi Selvatici. Do your best to make sure the veal isn’t dry. Instead of the wild mushrooms I want the rice pilaf with a side of broccoli steamed. Not in the microwave but in an actual steamer. I know you have one back there. And could I please get another bottle of Perrier I’m absolutely parched.”

Charlotte does the best she can to hide behind the two wide pages of her menu but it doesn’t do much good. All eyes are on them, which, of course, is just the way Amelia wants it. That’s how everyone wants it when dining at Nello, the Upper Eastside Italian eatery more famous for its exorbitant prices and A-list clientele than the food they serve. All eyes are on the regal looking woman sitting in the dead center of the restaurant who up until this morning had long flowing golden hair that hung down her back in soft curls.

Charlotte had nearly fallen out of her chair when Amelia had returned from her appointment at the Red Door Salon with her hair cut into a short choppy style that made her ice blue eyes look wide and almost doe like. Pieces of her newly sheered bangs hung in a jagged left side part, blending down into the longer length that hung just down to her chin. Charlotte had to cover her mouth to contain her gasp when Amelia turned to hang up her coat and saw that the back looked totally different than the front, the hair graduating up with heavily clipped ends, looking textured and blended, exposing the elegant expanse of her neck.  The effect was dazzling as she turned around again and Charlotte had marveled at how Amelia could somehow manage to look even more achingly beautiful than before. Justin on the other hand had a less than stellar reaction when he’d dropped by after his morning meeting to take a look.

“So what’s different about it?” he had asked Charlotte as he waited for Amelia to finish a business call in her office, eyeing her closed door apprehensively.

“Oh you’ll notice,” Charlotte had said with a chuckle shaking her head as she scrolled through Amelia’s email.

“See, all you women think that,” Justin had replied, leaning back in the chair across from her and before Charlotte could respond Amelia’s office door had opened and Justin’s eyes turned.

His mouth had fallen open, his blue eyes wide as Amelia stood in the doorway, a smug smile on her lips.

“It’s amazing right?” she had asked, shaking her head slightly as the choppy layers swished against her cheekbones.

“You…you cut your hair?” Justin had said, his voice thin and Charlotte couldn’t quite understand the utter disappointment on his face.

“Astute observation Justin,” Amelia replied exasperated. “It looks good right?”

“Well…yeah,” Justin had said, shifting in his chair. “But I liked your hair long….”

Amelia’s mouth pulled into a thin line. “Well, I like your hair short but that doesn’t seem to matter to you at all,” she had snapped and Justin’s brow furrowed.

“Please don’t tell me you did this because I haven’t shaved my head yet?” Justin asked and Amelia’s eyes widened causing Charlotte to duck her head and pretend not to be there.

Yet??? I have been trying to get you an appointment for three months!” she had screeched and Justin cringed before scowling at her.

Is that the reason?” Justin demanded his voice raising and Amelia’s laugh tinkled in a dangerous way.

“Yes, Justin,” she replied sarcastically, turning to go back into her office. “Because everything in this world revolves around you.”

They hadn’t spoken for the rest of the morning, Amelia pretending not to care but snapping at even the most minor of disturbances until it was time for lunch where she insisted Charlotte accompany her to work on plans for Justin’s birthday party.

Charlotte reaches for her Coke, sipping on it nervously as the waiter scribbles down Amelia’s order with fervor before turning to Charlotte, his nose turning up slightly.

“And for you?” he asks with a sigh.

“Erm…I guess…” Charlotte says, picking up her menu again and trying to decide if spaghetti is worth thirty-nine dollars. “I…I guess I’ll have the Fettuccine...” she leans the menu towards him and points so the waiter can see because there’s no way in hell she can pronounce the name of the dish and she blushes as she sees the slight roll of his eyes.

“That…that has a cream sauce,” Amelia says, slightly horrified and Charlotte blinks back at her.

“I like cream sauce,” Charlotte says as the waiter takes her menu and saunters away.

Amelia eyes her picking up her wine glass. “Obviously.

Charlotte looks down at herself blushing as she tugs on the bottom of her sweater. She isn’t slim and buxom like Amelia. She has wide hips and a small chest but she is perfectly fine with her body. Or at least she thought she was. She tugs at her sweater again.

“You know,” Amelia says thoughtfully, eyeing Charlotte over her wine glass. “If you laid off the carbs I bet you could lose ten pounds easy.” Amelia nods, taking another sip from her glass and Charlotte shifts in her seat.

“Erm…thank you?” Charlotte says, not exactly sure how to respond.

“You just need a personal trainer,” Amelia says, reaching for her purse. “I mean I know you go to the gym but everyone needs a little guidance. The guy that Justin has is good. Of course he’s a little out of your price range I would imagine but I’m sure he’d know someone.”

Amelia plucks a small business card out of her wallet and hands it to Charlotte who looks at it blinkingly. “Um…thank you,” she says again and then looks up at Amelia perplexed. “How did you know I go to the gym?”

Amelia blinks at her for a moment before giving her an innocent smile. “Doesn’t everybody?”

“Well I supp-”

“You know actually,” Amelia says, eyeing her and Charlotte can practically see the wheels turning in her head. “I think I’ll set you up with his trainer anyway. There’s no telling what Justin’s doing while he’s there.” Amelia scoffs.

“Um…wouldn’t he be…working out?” Charlotte asks apprehensively and Amelia sighs, looking at her as if she were stupid.

“Well of course Charlotte,” she replies exasperated. “I’m saying you can just…” she trails, smiling sweetly, “keep an eye on him. Make sure he’s doing the reps he’s supposed to…make sure he keeps his eyes on the weights and not some twenty year old prosti-tot.” Amelia scoffs before leaning in conspiratorially, “And don’t think I don’t know Patti goes to the same gym.”

Charlotte chokes on the sip of soda she’d just taken, doing her best not to let the liquid spray out of her mouth. She does not want to have this conversation. She’d almost forgotten about the little incident before Christmas, walking in on Patti and Justin in a compromising position. It wasn’t exactly sordid but it wasn’t exactly innocent either and Charlotte despises the slight ache in her chest when she thinks about it.

“I’m not saying you have to follow him around or anything,” Amelia says, her large blue eyes holding an innocence that Charlotte can’t believe she can pull off. “I’m just saying keep an eye on him.”

“I…I dunno, Amelia,” Charlotte says slowly, “I mean I like my gym just fine. It’s quiet and no one really knows me…” she rambles, shifting uncomfortably and Amelia’s eyes light with understanding, giving her a sympathetic look. Charlotte is almost afraid to know what she’s thinking.

“Oh honey don’t worry! We all look terrible at the gym.” Amelia says reaching over to pat her hand condescendingly. “I can pretty much guarantee you won’t see anyone you know there.” She laughs. “I mean really who do you know on the Upper East Side? And Justin probably won’t even notice,” she says shrugging as she picks up her wine glass again, chuckling slightly to herself. “I mean it’s just you.

Charlotte shifts in her seat, watching her fingers pick at the linen tablecloth and trying to tell herself that one didn’t sting. She realizes now why her trips to Justin’s office have been more frequent, why she calls him more than usual now. Amelia thinks she has an in, thinks that Justin trusts her. It also means that Amelia knows Justin couldn’t possibly be interested in her. She scolds herself slightly for being disappointed. Justin is engaged, to her boss for chrissake. This was why she didn’t like getting crushes. She always ended up being crushed.

“Okay so first things first,” Amelia says, squaring her shoulders back and reaching up to flick her newly shorn hair out of her eyes. “We need invitations.”

“Um,” Charlotte says, scrambling for her notebook and reading through the list of things she and Justin had discussed for his party. “maybe you could do a kind of scroll wrapped in ribbon?”

Amelia blinks at her slowly. “Why on earth would I do that?” she asks and Charlotte looks at her wide-eyed, panic seizing her.

“Well…it goes with the toga theme and-”

“Oh we’re not doing toga anymore,” Amelia says, waving a hand dismissively and Charlotte looks down at her notes dumbly.

“We’re not?” she asks and Amelia shakes her head.

“No, no, no our new theme,” she says, beaming back at Charlotte, her blue eyes sparkling and Charlotte is momentarily dazed. “is Black and White.”

Her voice is delicate as she says the words and she smiles, clearly pleased with herself for her cleverness. Charlotte looks down at her notes again. Nowhere does she have anything about black and white. When she and Justin had discussed ideas for his party it had only been a few days after New Years. Maybe he and Amelia had changed their minds or – Charlotte watches Amelia smile condescendingly at the waiter as he sets a bottle of Perrier in front of her – Justin’s mind was changed for him.

“It’s going to be so elegant!” Amelia sighs, her blue eyes going dreamy and Charlotte opens her mouth to protest but snaps it shut as Amelia goes on. “It will be evening attire, black and white only of course. I’ll need to contact Oscar de La Renta for a dress…Charlotte… why aren’t you writing any of this down?”

“Oh!” Charlotte exclaims, digging a pen out of her bag. “Um…are you sure Justin is going to want that-”

“Oh don’t be silly he’ll love it,” Amelia replies offhandedly as Charlotte begins to scribble down notes. “You’ll, of course, need a dress.”

“Me?” Charlotte squeaks her eyes flying to Amelia and finding her eyes roving over her appraisingly. “W-why me?”

“Well you’ll be there of course,” Amelia says with a sigh and Charlotte can’t help the smile that tugs at her lips.

“Justin wants me at his birthday party?”

“Oh I don’t know,” Amelia says disinterestedly. “I’ll need you there to help make sure things run smoothly,” Amelia says and Charlotte presses her lips together, fighting her frown. Of course.

“You know,” Amelia says slowly, still eyeing Charlotte carefully. “I have a Reem Acra that just might work perfectly for you.”

“A what?” Charlotte asks confused and Amelia rolls her eyes.

“A dress Charlotte!” Amelia exclaims and the couple at the table next to them glances over before twittering softly to each other. Charlotte blushes as Amelia mutters, “Honestly.”

“That’s…that’s not necessary,” Charlotte says, waving her hand, feeling her body tense.

“Oh don’t be silly. You don’t have anything like this and there is no way you’re going to that party in some black pant suit you bought at Macy’s,” Amelia scoffs with a patronizing smile and Charlotte bites her lip. That was exactly what she had planned on doing. “Besides I have the dress already. It was my third wedding gown choice,” she screws up her face in thought, “or maybe it was the fourth…I don’t know…anyway we’ll just hack off the train for you,” Amelia says waving a hand dismissively and then she chuckles eyeing Charlotte once more. “and take in the bust of course…widen the waist...”

“Thank you, Amelia,” Charlotte grits out, hoping that the sarcasm in her voice isn’t too evident. Amelia shrugs reaching for her Perrier.

“So anyway,” Amelia says, unscrewing the cap on the bottle, “Black and white. I was thinking black paper with white calligraphy for the invitations. We’ll need about five hundred I would think,” she says and then shrugs, “actually you better make it seven-fifty just in case.” She glances at Charlotte who is staring at her dumbfounded. “Why aren’t you writing any of this down?”

“Oh!” Charlotte says, jumping slightly and scribbling furiously in her notebook, missing the roll of Amelia’s eyes as she takes a sip of her water. “Um…how…how are you going to fit that many people in your apartment?”

“Don’t be ridiculous, Charlotte,” Amelia scoffs. “We’re having it at 583 of course. Oh the room is so perfect. Round tables with black and white linen tablecloths, alternating of course, one table black then one white. And white orchids! The centerpieces for the table should be tall and full. We can have Jean Georges do the menu. We’re going to need a band too…strings and horns I would think. Why aren’t you writing this down?

Charlotte jumps. “I just…that’s not…”

She shifts in her seat trying to find a way to word this. Despite Amelia’s certainty that Justin will love this, Charlotte knows otherwise. Justin had said he wanted something small and intimate. He wanted beer and steak for dinner. He wanted cheesy crepe paper decorations and a small chocolate cake with buttercream icing and absolutely no candles. He didn’t really want a party at all but these were the things he asked for and it was his birthday. Amelia was going to wreck everything! The more Charlotte thinks about it the more agitated she becomes. Why couldn’t Amelia let Justin have what he wanted for just one night?

Amelia sighs impatiently. “Spit it out Charlotte!”

“Justin doesn’t want that!”

Charlotte’s eyes go wide, her hand creeping up to cover her mouth. The words had just slipped out, as they so often do with her- and her tone, God, her tone was anything but polite. She swallows hard as she watches Amelia’s face go dangerously blank.

“Amelia I-”

“You and Justin are close, yes?” Amelia asks, her voice innocent as she watches her hands smooth across the tablecloth and Charlotte swallows hard. “Yes?” she asks again more forcefully when Charlotte doesn’t answer, her eyes boring into Charlotte’s and Charlotte feels like a trapped animal.

“Y-yes.”

“That’s good,” she replies, nodding authoritatively and then pausing briefly. “He needs someone he can confide in, someone to trust.” Amelia’s forefinger traces lazily around the rim of her wine glass and Charlotte can feel herself starting to sweat. “I like that he trusts you because not only is there not a snowball's chance in hell that he would ever be remotely attracted to you, I know that you will tell me if I have anything to worry about.” Her eyes turn cold. “But if you think, for one second, that your little inside jokes and buddy-buddy rapport makes you the authority on what he wants or needs, Charlie,” Charlotte cringes at the ice in Amelia’s voice as she says the nickname. “then you are sadly mistaken.”

“I’m…I’m sorry,” Charlotte says, her head bowed like a contrite child as she watches one of her hands crush the other in her lap, forcing the tears back. “I don’t know what came over me. I’m sorry.”

“You should be,” Amelia spits, snatching up her wine glass and draining it. “Now I’m going to need you to contact 583 and reserve the space. Let them handle the bar but make sure they understand that it’s wine and champagne only.”

“Yes Amelia,” Charlotte says softly, her pen flying across the page, a lump still in her throat.

“Oh and after this I need you to go by Justin’s office and show him the preliminary guest list for the wedding. My mother faxed the papers this morning as well as catering options.” Amelia says and Charlotte nods mutely. “Can you handle that? Or would you like to give me insight into what my fiancé wants for our wedding as well?”

Charlotte’s face burns and she wishes that the floor would swallow her whole. “No…” she says slowly. “Again…I’m…I’m sorry Amelia.”

“Don’t let it happen again.”

***

Justin sighs as he pages down through yet another term sheet, his vision blurring with boredom. He doesn’t care if Grateman gets two buses or twenty for his upcoming tour. He doesn’t want to be doing this right now. He leans back in his chair, rubbing his hands over his handsome face and sighs, blinking back at the computer screen bleakly and before he knows it he’s humming the melody that he’s been weaving in his head all day. His fingers itch for the piano, for guitar strings, anything to get this out of his head. He glances down at the clock, finding it only to be three-thirty, nowhere near time to go home. Plus he has work to do. He blinks at the term sheet on his screen again, kicking his socked feet up onto the desktop and snatching for the keyboard, punching the down arrow with a sigh of annoyance.

His ears perk up when he hears laughter from outside his office door and he leans back in his chair, seeing Charlotte standing frozen in the doorway to the front office, her cheeks pink from the cold, her long dark hair tussled from the wind. He scowls. Long hair… But the thought leaves him as he watches Charlotte shake her head, grinning until the dimple reveals itself in her right cheek. He smiles despite himself, the melody in his head swelling and his fingers itch.

“Nice color, Fee,” Charlotte says and he hears Felicity’s girlish laugh. He sighs. Felicity must be painting her nails at her desk again. He just hopes to god it’s her fingernails this time.

“Thanks, it’s called ‘Hey Vito, is my Car Red-y’” Felicity replies and Charlotte blinks before bursting out laughing, the sound bringing its own chuckle out of Justin.

“Oh thanks Fee I needed that,” Charlotte says with a sigh as she reaches her hand out and Justin assumes she pats Felicity’s arm. He can’t really see from where he is.

“Is it funny?” Felicity asks and Charlotte just blinks at her, shaking her head again. “I don’t get it…”

“Think about it for a minute Fee it’ll come to you,” Justin calls, turning his face back to the screen and letting his feet fall to the floor again, dropping his keyboard to the desk with a clatter and he hears Charlotte giggle.

“Hey,” she says softly and he looks up as she crosses the threshold into his office, standing just inside the doorway, her arms wrapped around a stack of papers.

She’s wearing her old wool peacoat with a Kelly green scarf that makes her eyes look bright as emeralds, her long dark hair flowing over her shoulders. He frowns. Long hair…

“Amelia sent me over with some stuff about the wedding,” Charlotte says with a sigh and Justin turns his head back to the computer screen, anger bubbling inside him at the mere mention of his fiance’s name.

He can see his reflection dimly in his computer screen, which had gone dark from lack of use. He is frowning, deep lines drawn across his forehead and in between his eyebrows, his blue eyes darken and for a moment he doesn’t recognize himself. He looks old, so much older than he ever remembered himself looking and his eyes don’t hold that spark they once did. He reaches up to pick at his hair, a habit he’s had ever since he was a kid. If there was something he didn’t like about his appearance, he usually attributed it to his hair.

“She has a preliminary guest list here and some options for the menu-”

“Do you like me better with hair?” he asks suddenly, turning his head to the side slightly and brushing his fingers through the hair curling at his temple.

Charlotte blinks at him “Erm...I dunno…like I said she has the menu here and-”

“Cause when I was younger I didn't like it but I kinda like it now,” Justin continues as if he didn’t hear her. “I mean it’s kinda a pain in the ass sometimes, especially when it’s humid. But I dunno I just like it I guess.” He sighs. “Amelia likes it shaved. Hey, what do you think of Amelia's hair?”

He looks over at Charlotte who is regarding him disbelievingly, one eyebrow raised as she drops that ridiculous handbag Amelia bought for her onto the chair in front of his desk. “Are we seriously talking about hair right now?” she asks and Justin coughs out a laugh, shaking his head. What is he doing?

“Yeah I dunno,” he says, blinking hard and reaching for the papers in her hands. “Guest list? Is that what you said this was?”

Charlotte nods, a curtain of dark hair brushing against her cheek before she tucks it back behind her ear and the melody is back again, weaving methodically through his brain, one chord and then the next. He shakes his head, taking the pile of papers from her and looks over the list of names. His brow furrows.

“Shit I don’t know half these people,” he says, his stomach knotting slightly as he flicks through the pages.

“Oh sure you do,” Charlotte says rounding his desk and she leans over his shoulder, her dark hair falling into her face again and the scent of mangos surrounds him as she tucks it behind her ear. He looks at her frowning as she scans the sheet. Since when did her hair smell like mangos? “Look you know them.” She points. “John and Lydia Sheedy. You and Amelia had lunch with them-”

“Did you change your shampoo?” he asks, his voice slightly demanding and she looks at him wide eyed.

“Um…yeah,” she says, running her fingers through the ends of her hair nervously and the melody crescendos in his head, nearly blocking out her voice as she adds. “Does it bother you?”

“No,” he says shaking his head hard, trying to focus on the papers in his hands. “No…it’s just different.” Everything is different. His chest tightens.

“Hey Justin I’m leaving!” Felicity calls from the front office and he glances up to see her give him a short wave as she slips out the door.

He doesn’t even respond, just looks at the papers in his hands, reading over name after name, most of which he recognizes but he wouldn’t know them if he saw them. His eyes search and search, flipping page after page and finally at the bottom of the page he sees his mother’s name and then his grandparents’ and then Rachel’s. He sighs, his chest lightening slightly as he goes to turn the page and…he blinks. That was the last page.

“I don’t know these people, Charlie,” Justin says, dropping the packet on his desk with a scowl.

“No!” Charlotte says and then sighs. “Oh come on look. There’s Rachel!” she says pointing to his cousin’s name.

“Trace isn’t even fucking on here,” Justin spits and he can feel Charlotte tense next to him at the harsh tone of his voice.

“Well…” she says slowly, her voice soft. “He’s your best man. He doesn’t need an invitation,” Charlotte scrambles and Justin gives her a dubious look. “Right?” Her eyes are hopeful and there’s that melody again. He shakes his head.

“Yeah, you’re right… I guess,” he says with a sigh and Charlotte pats his shoulder.

“I’ll make sure he gets one,” Charlotte says nodding as she picks the packet up off his desk. “I’ll get in touch with your mom as well. See if she has anyone she can think of to invite on your side.”

“Thanks Charlie,” he says feebly and the melody weaves and dances in his head. God he wishes he had a piano right now.

“And here’s the catering menu,” Charlotte says, laying another sheet of paper in front of him and he picks it up scanning it.

“Duck?” he asks, the melody stuttering to a stop and he crinkles his nose. “I hate duck.”

“There’s lamb on there too,” Charlotte says, pointing helpfully.

The lightness of her voice is laced with something he can’t quite place. It’s hard to think because the melody crescendos again and his vision almost blurs with it. Something is happening to him and he doesn’t quite understand it. Ever since this morning he’s felt off, something amiss. He was fine at his morning meeting and then he dropped by Amelia’s office to see her hair. He grits his teeth at the memory of her stepping out of her office and he’d barely recognized her. The sharp edges of her shorn hair blending down to her chin made her cheekbones look high and rigid, the former roundness of her face giving way to sharp angles and her eyes, God her eyes looked like large round ice rinks in her skull. There was no way that was the girl he’d fallen in love with. She didn’t look anything like her. His girl was all soft golden curls falling down her back or pulled up in a twist or a bun. She was classic and timeless, like Ingrid Bergman and Janet Leigh, not Victoria Beckham. Charlotte is still speaking but he doesn’t comprehend her words, too wrapped up in his own thoughts to comprehend but he hears what he couldn’t place before.

And it’s pity.

He shakes his head hard. “She and I agreed to steak and chicken,” he hears himself saying in a voice that isn’t his own.

“She had said the chef suggested lamb and duck,” Charlotte says, leaning over his shoulder again and the scent of mangos assails his senses. “Maybe they can do something…”

“Whatever,” Justin cuts her off, dropping the sheet to his desk and scowling at it. “I don’t care. Whatever she wants is fine.”

“Justin,” Charlotte says softly and there’s that pity again.

“No really,” he says, looking up at her and forcing a smile. “I still got my birthday right?” he jokes and Charlotte’s eyes widen just slightly before she looks away.

She makes a noncommittal noise in her throat as she walks back around to the front of his desk and he narrows his eyes at her. She refuses to look at him, hiding behind the dark curtain of her hair as she fumbles with her handbag.

“Charlie…” he says slowly, watching her carefully. “Charlie you look uncomfortable… like you don’t wanna tell me something…”

Her eyes finally meet his and she swallows hard, shifting from foot to foot. “Justin, now-”

His eyes widen suddenly and Charlotte curses the fact that he can read her like a book. “She didn’t…” he says, shaking his head. “She didn’t…”

“Don’t…don’t be upset,” Charlotte says slowly, putting her hands up and Justin can feel himself starting to boil.

“Charlotte my birthday is still toga right? It’s still at my place and we’re gonna have kegs and drinking games right?”

“Well, I-”

Right?”

Charlotte looks at the floor and sighs. “It’s at 583, the theme is Black and White, and it’s champagne and wine bar,” she spits out quickly, cringing as Justin’s jaw clenches tight.

“God fucking dammit,” he grits out and his entire body is tight, trying to control the anger that simmers and broils in his veins. He rests his elbows on his desk, pressing the heels of his hands into his eyes.

“I’m…I’m sorry I tried to stop her…” Charlotte says softly and there it is, that pity again

“I can’t do this,” Justin says his voice hollow, his breathing shallow.

Everything is different. Everything has changed. Even Charlotte’s damn shampoo has changed. He doesn’t even recognize his own life anymore. When the hell did this happen?

“Sure you can,” Charlotte says, her voice cheery and encouraging but he can still hear the pity. “I mean it’s gonna kinda suck but-”

“No,” he says slowly, pressing his hands against the desk top, his chest tightening. Is it hot in here? The melody in his head rages on. “No I-”

“Okay well I’ll make some calls and we can try and see what we can-”

“NO! Charlie!” he yells suddenly and Charlotte gasps, taking a small step back and melody snuffs itself out. “I can’t do this!

He pushes back from his desk hard, his breath coming in short pants as he tears up out of his chair, barely noticing the look of complete shock on Charlotte’s face as she jumps at the sound of his desk chair banging against the bookcase behind him. Her eyes widen, scurrying out of the way as he rounds the desk, suddenly claustrophobic behind it and even in the open space of the room he still feels like he’s suffocating.

“Justin,” Charlotte says slowly, her eyes holding on him steadily.

His face is red and blotchy and he’s gulping in air in heavy breaths, his eyes wild. She takes a cautious step towards him and his brow furrows as he reaches up to pull at his tie, tugging it loose as he sucks in air the best he can. She’s never seen him this way and her heart pounds as he begins to pace.

“I can’t…what the hell am I doing?” he says his voice manic, running a hand through his hair and his curls spring in all directions. “This isn’t what I want.”

“We…we can fix it,” Charlotte says softly, taking another step towards him, eyeing the open office door apprehensively and he laughs, a bitter edge to it that causes her to pause.

“No, there’s no way this can be fixed,” Justin says and his pacing quickens, turning abruptly and taking a few short steps before turning again, running his hands over his face, the words falling out of his mouth before he even realizes what he’s saying. “Not my fucking birthday, not the wedding. Fuck especially not the wedding.”

Charlotte swallows hard, her eyes flicking from Justin’s manic face to the open door to his office. Felicity is gone but there’s no telling who could walk in at any moment. She bites her lip, wishing he wasn’t standing between her and the door. No one needs to see him like this and it’s her job to protect him. She moves to take a step forwards but Justin’s voice stops her.

“There’s no going back from this. No other way to do it. No, we’re a fucking power couple,” he spits and the venom in his voice makes Charlotte shiver. “No there are rules and we have to have this caterer and this dress and this location because of who we fucking are. This isn’t a goddamn wedding it’s a circus!

“Justin,” Charlotte says again softly but he can’t stop, his pace quickening still and he’s dizzy from walking in circles but he can’t stop. He’s coming to something, he can feel it and there’s no way he can stop now.

“I don’t want this,” he says shaking his head. “It’s what she wants. It’s always what she wants. Don’t think I don’t know it, Charlie, I fucking know.” He chuckles humorlessly and then sighs, throwing his arms in the air. “When did I stop caring? When did I just start letting her walk all fucking over me? I mean she picks my clothes, my hair, my food. And when she doesn’t get her fucking way. She changes fucking everything! She didn’t like my party idea, she fucking changed it. She doesn’t like my hair long she fucking cuts off all of hers!!! Nothing is the same!” he yells, his hands flailing in front of him and he laughs again, bitter and angry. “What the fuck do I have now?”

Charlotte feels as if her heart is going to beat out of her chest as he looks at her, his eyes ablaze with anger. Anger at himself and at Amelia and at everyone who never told him this was happening. She wants to reach out to him, to touch his face and tell him…tell him something. He looks so lost.

“You have a lot,” Charlotte says softly, taking another short step towards him and he laughs.

“What, a big fancy penthouse over a hotel? A fucking white collar job?” he asks, flicking the collar of his dress shirt angrily and just when he thinks his chest can’t get any tighter, it constricts even more, stealing his breath. “Where’s the music, Charlie?”

Charlotte gasps bringing a hand to her chest at the misery in his voice and she swears her heart is breaking. The cool metal of her necklace presses against her palm and she remembers. For when you feel lost. She feels lost right now, not knowing what to say or how to help. She’d do anything for him in this moment, watching him grip the back of one of the leather chairs, leaning over it and breathing heavy, his face crumpled and weary.

“You asked me before,” he says, lifting his head his blue eyes meeting hers and she bites her lip at the fire in them, the anger. “You asked me why I gave up the music.” Charlotte blinks back at him, unsure as of what to say. “I gave it up because she told me to.” He chuckles at the confession, his chest lightening just slightly but constricting again as he processes the words. “I stopped recording because she said there were other things I could do, that I should expand my horizons, do different things. I stopped producing because she said it was too taxing; it kept me away too much. And I stopped writing because…because…” God it turned his stomach just to say the words. “because it annoyed her.”

He releases his head, letting it hang back as the freedom of saying all this aloud washes over him. He sighs suddenly feeling exhausted and weak, sidestepping the armchair to fall into it and he closes his eyes, willing it all to just go away.

“Okay…well…” Charlotte trails, swallowing hard as she tries to think. “First…um…lets close the door,” she says taking slow steps towards his office door and pushing it closed with a snap and Justin laughs bitterly.

“Yeah god forbid any of this get out,” he grits out, leaning his elbow on the arm of the chair and rubbing his forehead, his stomach in knots, his heart racing.

Charlotte steps over to him, her bottom lip pulled between her teeth as she lowers herself carefully onto the wooden coffee table in front of him. His eyes flick to hers, his hand pressed over his mouth and he sighs in frustration, closing his eyes and reaching up rub his face hard. When his blue eyes open again he looks so lost and helpless and Charlotte is at a loss for words, unable to even speak.

“You know ever since I was a little kid,” he says softly, reaching down to tug on his slacks and Charlotte bites her lip. “I wanted to get married in the little church in Millington where I grew up,” a small wistful smile pulls at his lips and Charlotte smiles too. “Or maybe…outside…at my parent’s place,” he says, his brow furrowing as he thinks, weighs, and tries to decide. He shakes his head and the light snuffs from his eyes as sadness creeps over his face. “But none of that matters…”

“Of course it matters!” Charlotte says earnestly, her hand reaching out to touch his face but thinks better of it, her hand falling to pat his knee instead. “Justin, you can’t do this if it’s not what you want.”

“Don’t you get it Charlie, I don’t have a choice,” he says earnestly, his blue eyes wide and Charlotte’s brow creases. “It’s…it’s hard to explain,” he chuckles. “You’re normal.”

“Normal?” she questions, coughing out a laugh and he nods, smiling softly.

“You don’t have to deal with the stuff she and I do. There’s all this pressure,” he breathes out heavy, like the air was sucked from his lungs and Charlotte gives his knee a gentle squeeze. “This is the way things are done with people like us. Her especially... her parents…”

“But it’s not what you want,” Charlotte says, her brow creased as she studies him slowly, uncomprehending. “Justin, this isn’t what marriage is supposed to be.”

He sighs, falling back against his chair and reaching up to rub his forehead, his eyes closing in frustration. She wants to tell him he’s more than this, more than just some guy on the arm of Amelia Domineck. She wants to tell him he deserves better than a fancy show and a lifetime of bowing down to Amelia’s every whim. She bites her lip hard, lest that thought slip out.

“Justin…marriage is about two people who love each other,” Charlotte says softly and Justin sighs, leaning forward, his elbows propped on his knees as he presses his hands together, pressing his mouth to his thumbs as he regards her pensively. “It’s not about the flowers and the food and all that bullshit. It’s about you promising your life to another person. Hell, it’s not even really about the wedding. That’s just one day. It’s about every day after that. For the rest of your life.”

Justin blinks at her slowly, marveling slightly at her words. He had been saying basically the exact same thing to Amelia since this entire wedding fiasco started. It wasn’t really about the day for him. It was about the rest of their lives together, which was part of the reason he let her do what she wanted with the ceremony. It didn’t really matter to him. All he wanted was the rest of his life with his girl. But what he was beginning to see now was that Amelia’s complete disregard for his preference, no matter how menial it was, didn’t bode well for their future together.

“What do I do?” he finds himself asking, his eyes meeting Charlotte’s and he just looks so lost.

The words “leave her” are right on the tip of Charlotte’s tongue, her heart hammering in her chest. Dare she say it? What would he even do? She wonders if he would violently oppose her suggestion or sit back in quiet contemplation of her words. She wonders if he would look at her and finally see her, really see her. She wonders if he feels that way about her at all. She wonders if she really wants to be that girl, the one that hopes for his relationship to go up in flames so she can swoop in and – her mind stutters – and what? She scolds herself silently. This isn’t a romance novel, Charlie get it together.

“Justin-”

“I love her, Charlotte,” he says, his voice thin and when her eyes meet his she can see the hurt in them, the fear, the aching want for Amelia to just be the girl she was, his girl. “I love her.”

He sighs, leaning back in his chair again, his face crumpled in sadness and Charlotte could easily say “leave her.” She could say “come with me,” “I won’t hurt you like she does,” “I would love you so much better than her.” She could say those things but the look on his face tells her that’s not what he wants to hear. The look on his face is enough to make her shove aside her selfish wants and her opinion that he could do better. She takes her hand off his knee.

“You need to tell her,” Charlotte says, her voice slightly hollow and Justin looks up at her, his eyes bright with hope, hope that she’ll give him some kind of answer. “You need to tell her how you feel.”

“She won’t listen to me-”

“You have to make her,” Charlotte spits, her heart breaking with every word and she can’t believe she’s saying this. “If you love her and want to make this work then you have to start making her listen to you. You have to make her understand that what you want is just as important as what she wants even if you think that certain things matter more to her than they do to you. If you want to write music. Write music, record, produce! Tell her how important it is to you, make her understand. You have to stand up for yourself and not let her walk all over you.”

Justin nods quietly, feeling that these things are easier said than done but he knows that Charlotte knows this too. The silence around them is deafening and Charlotte searches for something to fill it, anything to keep her from recanting everything she just said and saying what she really wants to say.

“You have to be…” she trails as he looks up at her. “You have to be the Justin from the business meeting a couple months ago. Remember? When you got that money for Kalaya’s album?” A smile tugs at Justin’s lips and he lets out a soft laugh, nodding quickly. “You were so strong in there! Like you knew what you wanted and what Kalaya needed and you wouldn’t take no for an answer. That’s what you need to be like.” Justin eyes her skeptically and she smirks slightly. “We need less Doormat Justin and more Business Meeting Justin.”

Justin laughs, the tightness in his chest leaving him finally and for the first time in what feels like forever he feels like he can breathe again. He knows that Charlotte is right. He’s gone too long coasting by and accepting things he thinks he can’t change. It’s time he stood up to Amelia. It’s time he took his life back.

He sighs suddenly exhausted. “How did this happen to me?” he asks with a chuckle, running his hands over his face.

Charlotte shrugs. “Sometimes you just get off track.” She looks down fingering her necklace and Justin smiles.

“You know,” he says slowly, shifting slightly in his chair. “I… um… you…”

She looks up at him, her green eyes bright and he’s momentarily stunned, caught in some well of emotion he doesn’t really understand. He shakes his head, blinking hard.

“You’re…you’re a good friend to me, Charlie,” he says softly and he watches her blush, looking down into her lap. “No really…I… There’s not a lot of people out there that I can trust and you… you’ve just been really good to me. I can always count on you to tell me the truth,” he says, searching for the right words but he’s dazed slightly as she looks up at him again. “I guess I just wanted to thank you.”

“Hey,” she says chuckling nervously as the guilt eats at her, “What are friends for?”

The words are bitter in her mouth and all she wants is to tell him the real truth. That Amelia isn’t right for him and despite all his greatest efforts she’ll probably never change. But she looks at him, sees the quiet happiness in his eyes, the determination and she knows he’s not ready to hear that yet. This is a revelation he’s going to have to have on his own.

“So,” she says, standing as she tucks her hair behind her ear. “I’ll…I’ll call Lynn when I get back to the office and see if she can fax me that list…for the wedding.”

“Yeah,” Justin says standing as well and they’re face to face, their bodies mere inches from each other. Charlotte gazes up at him from under long lashes and he marvels at how sometimes her beauty just smacks him in the face. “Um…I’ll…I’ll talk to Amelia about the party.”

“Are you sure?” Charlotte asks, her eyes searching his. “I mean…I can try and-”

“No,” he says, looking away and blinking, giving his head a short shake. “No, I need to do it. She’ll never really get it if I don’t. It’s the only way we’re gonna make it.”

He steps away from her, moving to go behind his desk again and Charlotte sighs, letting her eyes close and she wishes with everything that she is that she had just told him the truth.  

Chapter 17 by SomethingBlue42
Author's Notes:

Hey cats and kittens!!! Just dropping you a little note to say that updates may come a little slower now that school has started back up. I WILL be updating so no worries there it just may take me more time that usual. Love you guys!

 

 


Thursday nights are busy for the Upper Eastside eatery Southern Hospitality. Justin knew this because he saw the weekly numbers on his desk every Monday but he didn’t quite understand the extent of it until he’d walked through the door nearly twenty minutes ago. The place was packed, every table filled with college kids and tourists, giggling girls excited to be out on the town and tipsy guys who were trying to hit on them. Justin had snagged the only seat left at the bar, crammed between a guy in his early twenties who paid him no mind, too busy vying for the bartender’s attention and a very pretty girl on the other side of him who he was pretty sure was some kind of high class hooker. He’d sat down, unnoticed for the most part aside from the bartender who recognized him immediately but made no fuss of it, just setting a fresh Jack and Coke in front of him without a word.

And so he sits, the liquor burning its way down his throat as nervousness burns in his belly. He checks his watch again, wondering if she’s going to show up. He’d made himself pretty clear over the phone earlier. He’d waited all week for this, planned it and mulled it over deciding which way was best to approach Amelia, which way would be best to get her to understand. He had decided it would be best to start small, something simple and when she’d called to tell him they’d be eating at some flashy sushi place on 73rd he had jumped at the opportunity. He remembered the thrill of excitement that had thrilled down his spine as he’d said no, that he wanted to eat at his restaurant. She had laughed and replied that she’d meet him at Sasabune after work and the thrill turned into dread but he didn’t back down. He said no, he was eating at his restaurant. It’s what he wanted to do so that’s what he was doing. He cringes as he remembers the silence on the line before she’d told him she’d be waiting for him at Sasabune at seven and promptly hung up the phone. He checks his watch again seeing that it’s half past seven. The bartender snatches his empty glass, replacing it with a fresh one and he gives her a tight smile, taking a bitter sip.

He looks over his shoulder, glancing at the door and wondering just how long he should wait. His stomach ties in knots at the thought of her not coming. What would he do then? His mind is a blank canvas, his thoughts stuttering to the end of the reel. Amelia was all he knew any more. She was the first person he saw when he woke up in the morning, the last he saw when he went to bed. Almost everything he did involved her in some way.  What would he do if she didn’t show up, didn’t take the hand he was offering? Would that be…the…the end?

He shivers hard, throwing back his drink in one burning gulp. He doesn’t want to think about that. Amelia would be here any minute. She was probably just stuck in traffic or got tied up at the office. Or – he grimaces – she was waiting for him at Sasabune. God he really didn’t want to go home if that was the case. Maybe this was all a bad idea. Maybe he should have just sat her down and talked to her at home. He wasn’t much for public displays and Amelia wasn’t exactly shy about making a scene. For all the thinking he did on this, he didn’t plan it very well. He should have talked to Charlotte first…

Just then a slight hush goes over the crowd, the raucous laughter and chatter dying down to murmurs and Justin turns as everyone else does, finding a sophisticated woman standing tall but awkward just inside the door to the restaurant. She looks around, her large blue eyes blinking slowly, her nose wrinkled just slightly and a sense of relief washes over him at the sight of her. Her eyes meet his and he gives her a smile, which she returns tensely, weaving her way through the crowd and holding her Kate Spade bag to her side like a lifeline. Justin spins on his barstool, leaning back against the bar as she approaches, stopping to stand in front of him, her chin jutting out defiantly as she eyes him disapprovingly but there’s a curiosity in her eyes that gives him some semblance of hope. Maybe this won’t be so bad.

“I waited for you at Sasabune for half an hour,” she says through clenched teeth, her eyes flitting around nervously as she’s jostled by the crowd.

“Funny, I’ve been waiting here for you for half an hour,” Justin responds and then grins at her in what he hopes is a winning way, receiving a withered look in return.

“Why are we here?” she asks, annoyance lacing her words as she scowls at a college kid who bumps into her again.

“To have dinner,” Justin says, smiling triumphantly. “We always go where you want to go. I figured I could pick tonight.”

“Oh did you?” Amelia asks crossing her arms over her chest and the smile slides off Justin’s face as he nods.

“Yeah, I mean, you never ask where I want to eat,” he says, his stomach knotting, his heart thudding in his chest. “You never ask what I want,” he adds softly, his eyes large and imploring, begging her to understand.

“Fine, fine you’ve made your point lets go,” Amelia says rolling her eyes as she turns away and Justin’s brow furrows his hand reaching out to grasp her elbow.

Amelia turns looking at his hand offended and then back to his face. She jerks at the look in his eyes, the intensity of his gaze startling her. He tugs her closer and she stumbles slightly in her heels as he leans to speak quietly in her ear.

“I don’t think I have,” he says, his voice hurt and concerned and she turns her head to look in his eyes finding those emotions mirrored there. “We need to talk, Amelia.”

“Fine,” she spats, ripping her arm from his grasp and he lets out a frustrated sigh, leaning back against the bar, frowning at the scowl on her face, the pout on her lips.

“Are you ready for your table, Justin?”

He turns and the bartender is back, looking at them both slightly apprehensive, tucking her dark hair behind her ear and he’s immediately reminded of Charlotte. Sweet little Charlotte who always let him pick where they ordered lunch, who always tried to accommodate his feelings. He blinks hard.

“Yeah,” he responds standing slowly and the bartender nods, signaling to the hostess who guides them into the large back room where he and his friends used to hold court, drinking into the early morning hours, laughing and carrying on together.  That all seemed so long ago now.

Amelia sits stiffly on the wooden chair across from him, gazing around with a mixed look of disappointment and relief on her face. Disappointed they are in a back room and far away from prying eyes but relief at the fact that no one will see her in a place like this. Justin watches her, her perfect face set into a pronounced pout. His eyes roam over her smooth translucent skin, the small slant of her nose, the perfect bow of her full lips. He had to admit the hair cut flattered her, her beauty even more prominent than before but he still didn’t like it. He didn’t need her to be exquisite and perfect, even though she was; he just wanted her to love him, to respect him.

“What?” she asks shrilly and he realizes he’s been staring at her. He looks down, watching his hands smooth across the cool wood of the table. He can’t let her intimidate him.

The waitress comes with water for both of them, asking Justin if he’d like another drink and he nods, ignoring Amelia’s scowl before she orders a glass of wine. Justin watches her for a moment more before clearing his throat, his chest tight with nervousness.

“So about my birthday…”

“Oh so Charlotte did tell you about the changes! Excellent darling you're going to absolutely love it!” Amelia exclaims, her face lighting up and Justin is dazzled momentarily, basking in her happiness. “Your birthday is going to be fabulous. Event of the year… well… besides our wedding of course.” She giggles shifting excitedly in her seat as she opens her menu, wrinkling her nose quickly at the choices inside.

“Yeah, about that-”

“Of course everyone is going to be there. Charlotte’s going tonight to pick up the gift bags after her fitting.”

“I don’t think...” he begins but then pauses, his mind jarring. “Wait…fitting?”

Amelia nods “For her dress for the party. I gave her one of the wedding dresses I’m not using,” she says shrugging and then wrinkles her nose, “because God only knows what she would have come up with on her own. And of course it has to be fitted because,” Amelia chuckles, gesturing to her buxom chest. “obviously.”

Justin blinks slowly, ignoring her insult. “Charlotte’s coming?”

Amelia sighs exasperated. “Well of course Charlotte’s coming! I’m going to need her help. We invited over seven hundred fifty people!” Amelia pauses as the waitress comes back, setting their drinks in front of them. “And you like her.” She flicks her hand uninterestedly.

“Yeah,” Justin says, a small smile tugging at his lips and then he clears his throat, glancing down at the menu in front of him.

“Are you ready to order?” the waitress asks nervously and Amelia frowns at the menu.

“I suppose. I’ll have a salad. Cesar dressing. No croutons or onions. And I only want the leafy part of the lettuce, no stalks. And no barbeque sauce anywhere,” she says adamantly, snapping her menu shut and shoving it into the waitress’ hands.

“I’ll have the fried green tomatoes and a pulled pork sandwich,” Justin says, handing her the menu without even opening it.

“Pecan pie for dessert?” she asks as she takes it and he grins at her.

“Ye-”

“He doesn’t want dessert,” Amelia interrupts and Justin glares at her.

“Actually yeah I do,” he says, and Amelia blinks back at him startled. The waitress shifts awkwardly. “Thanks hon,” Justin says smiling warmly at her and she returns it somewhat unsurely before scurrying away.

“You’ll set your weight training back,” Amelia sniffs her voice even but still chastising, unwrapping her silverware and placing her napkin in her lap.

“I don’t really care about that,” he says and Amelia’s eyes snap to his, confused and slightly outraged. He cringes rubbing his fingers over his lips. “Look, about…about my birthday…”

“Oh it’s going to be amazing,” Amelia says, smiling again. “Absolutely everyone is going to be there. We have the principals of the American Symphony Orchestra-”

“Babe, I-”

“and dinner is going to be quail braised in-”

“Amelia,” he says sharply and she jumps, scowling deeply at him.

“What?” she asks, offended that he interrupted her.

“Babe, I wanted just a small party. Just some beer and stuff at our place,” he says softly, his eyes imploring and Amelia blinks at him.

“Don’t be ridiculous, Justin,” she says laughing slightly.

“I’m not being ridiculous,” he insists, trying to keep his voice calm as indignation rises in him. How can she just disregard his feelings like that? Has she always done that?

“Yes you are darling,” she says reaching across the table to pat his hand, giving him a winning smile. “This is so much better than what you had planned.”

“But it’s not what I want,” Justin says slowly his eyes holding hers, hoping she’ll understand. He can’t put it any more plainly. She merely blinks at him.

“But it’s better,” she says, speaking to him as if he were dimwitted and he sighs, leaning back in his chair, slipping his hand from under hers to rest both in his lap, picking at his fingernails.

“We need to talk,” he says softly, his heartbeat increasing in volume and frequency and she sighs.

“So you’ve said,” she replies sarcastically and his chest burns, anger and hurt swelling inside him to the point of suffocation.

“I’m serious,” he says, his voice hard as his eyes meet hers and the exasperation melts from her face, her interest piqued. Finally. “This isn’t working.”

“Yes it is you’re just being stubborn,” Amelia replies sharply and Justin grits his teeth, willing his frustration not to get the best of him.

“No, I’m not talking about the party. I-”

“You know I worked really hard on this for you. I wanted you to have a nice birthday-”

“Amelia,” he says but she doesn’t stop, her face contorting into a look of hurt martyrdom.

“-and this is the thanks I get. You saying you don’t want it. I’ve gotten you nothing but the best-”

“But it’s not what I wan-”

“-and you don’t like any of it. I swear you are the most-”

Amelia lets out a quiet shriek as Justin’s hand bangs open palmed onto the tabletop. “WOULD YOU SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO ME!”

Her eyes widen and her lips part slightly, the closest thing to a jaw drop he’s seen from her in a while. Nothing surprises Amelia. He breathes sharply through his nose, trying to quell his anger. He can’t be angry for this. He has to stay calm, has to make her understand. It’s the only way he can save them. The only way he can fix this is if he makes her understand.

“Excuse me?” she asks, her voice hard with disbelief.

“Amelia, I’m sitting here telling you this isn’t working. This,” he says, gesturing to the space between them. “Us. This is what I’m saying. We aren’t working.”

She blinks at him slowly, looking around as if lost and Justin’s brow creases at her lack of reaction. If she had said something like that to him he’d be freaking out right now, demanding an explanation, begging her for answers, something! But Amelia doesn’t freak out; not when it matters. He reaches across the table and takes her hand, running his thumbs over her knuckles tenderly, feeling her jump at his touch.

“I need you to listen to me okay?” he says softly, his eyes boring into hers and she stares back, her face stoic and blank as she gives him an almost imperceptible nod. He takes a deep breath. “I don’t know when it happened, or how it happened but somehow we got to this point where you think you can just do whatever to me. That my opinion doesn’t matter, that what I want doesn’t matter.” Amelia blinks at him and he takes another deep breath, continuing. “You just…you order me around and you tell me where to go and what to do…this isn’t us, Amelia. I’m not some assistant you order around. It’s me.”

She doesn’t respond, just watches his thumb smooth back and forth over her knuckles and his brow furrows deeper, wondering if he’s getting through to her at all.

“You get that this isn’t working don’t you?” he asks, her eyes raising to meet his and under the anger he sees a softness in them he hasn’t seen in a long time.

“Well, I do now I guess,” she replies defensively, her arms moving restlessly but she doesn’t pull her hand from his.

“Come on, Amelia,” he scoffs. “We haven’t been okay for awhile. Ever since…fuck I don’t even know when.”

“Don’t curse,” she says softly and he sighs eyeing her hard. She ducks her head chastised and it’s been a long time since he’s seen her do that. His heart lightens slightly, thinking maybe he’s finally gotten through to her. “So this is all my fault?” she asks then, shaking her hair out of her eyes, jutting her chin out defensively and Justin feels her hand tighten into a fist under his. “I wrecked us by trying to do what I thought was best for you?”

He sighs. “I’m not blaming you, baby,” he says softly, his head dipping to try and catch her eyes which are watching his thumb stroke the back of her hand slowly. “This is as much my fault as yours. I should have put my foot down sooner. Not let your temper intimidate me.”

Amelia frowns at him. “Temper?”

Justin’s eyebrows raise. “Woman, you have the worst temper I have ever seen in my life,” he says and Amelia’s mouth opens to retort but she snaps it shut frowning deeply at him.

They sit in silence for a moment, Amelia studying his face and he does something he doesn’t do very often. He lets his guard down. He lets his mask fall and he looks at her, pleading and hoping that she’ll understand. Praying that she’s listening, that she hears him. He can’t lose her, the wrenching of his gut tells him that much. He doesn’t speak. He’s said all he needed to say for now. It’s her turn to speak.

He watches her bristle slightly, squaring her shoulders as she clears her throat. “I…I guess I’m kind of…strong willed….at times,” she admits and Justin lets out a sigh of relief, the tension leaving his body in a rush. “I…I’ll try and…listen more…I guess.”
She shifts awkwardly in her chair. “I mean…I…” her eyes flick to his, “I love you…I don’t want you to feel like I don’t.”

“I love you too,” he sighs, his hand squeezing hers before reaching up to cup her cheek, his fingertips brushing against the short ends of her hair and he smiles softly. “I love you baby and we’re gonna be okay. We just need to communicate better,” he says with a shrug, reaching for her hand again. “I have to just tell you what I want. Like for my birthday…”

He trails as Amelia tenses, watching her shift in her seat.

“Justin, the invitations have already been sent,” she says softly and Justin presses his mouth into a thin line. “There’s not a whole lot I can do now. I…I wish you said something sooner.”

“Well I did,” Justin says with a chuckle and Amelia ducks her head in a blush which he beams at. There’s his girl.

“Yes, yes okay I’m a horrible listener with a bad temper I get it. Why don’t you just burn me at the stake,” she says with a sigh, leaning back so that her arm rests on the back of her chair and her frown breaks into a smile as she shakes her head in amusement.

“You forgot stubborn,” Justin teases and she scowls playfully, reaching across the table to smack at him and he leans back to avoid her hand.

“Really I don’t know what I can do,” Amelia says, with a sigh, squinting past him in thought. “The hall’s booked, the invitations are sent.”

Justin frowns, letting a small sigh escape as his forefinger traces over the table. So he was going to have a circus of a birthday, he could deal with that, he guesses. At least she was listening to him. They were on their way to some kind of compromise in the future. Maybe. Justin can’t help but feel like a failure. Maybe she hadn’t listened after all.

“I guess…I guess I could have Charlotte call everyone and cancel,” Amelia says, reluctance in her voice and Justin’s head snaps up to find her looking at him, concern in her eyes before she looks away.

He watches her chew on her bottom lip in thought and his heart warms at the fact that she really is trying. She wants to give him what he wants. She cares about what he thinks and how he feels. All he had to do was tell her. He feels silly now, putting up with everything for so long when all he had to do was speak up. But his joy is somewhat overshadowed by the slight pout of Amelia’s bottom lip, the disappointment in her eyes. Her heart was in the right place when she planned all this for him. She said it herself, she just wanted the best for him. She just failed to realize that the best wasn’t always what he wanted. And right now what he wanted more than some stupid party was to make her happy. He sighs.

“What if…” Justin says slowly and she looks up at him hopefully and his heart melts. “What if we keep the party-”

“Oh Justin really?” she exclaims, clasping her hands together and she’s radiant with happiness, leaving him dazed and speechless for a moment.

“But…” he says forcefully and Amelia’s face goes stoic, her eyes trained on him, listening intently. “I have a few stipulations.”

Amelia cringes slightly. “And what are they?”

“I want a full bar,” he says and Amelia blinks at him.

“That’s it?” she asks and Justin shakes his head.

“No there’s more,” he says and her face falls slightly but he ignores it. “I want steak and ribs for the entrée. The restaurant can cater.” He taps his fingers on the table.

Amelia’s eyes widen. “Justin! It’s black tie! You can’t have ribs-”

“It’s what I want,” he says simply, cutting her off and her mouth snaps shut, nodding in silent concession. “And I want my band to play.”

Amelia scoffs. “Your band?”

“From my last tour,” Justin says, his stomach curling with anticipation and Amelia’s eyebrow raises.

“Your SexyBack band?”

Justin gives her a withering look. “They were called the FutureSex/LoveBand but yes you have the idea. I want them to play.”

“Justin,” Amelia says shaking her head and he puts up a hand.

“It’s what I want,” he says enjoying the words and the power behind him. It’s what he wants and dammit it’s what he’s going to have. Amelia sighs.

“I don’t even think I have all of their information. How am I supposed to track down a bunch of random musicians?” Amelia asks and Justin grins.

“Well, since I’ve just recently got in contact with all of them again, that shouldn’t be much of a problem,” Justin says and this time Amelia’s jaw really does drop.

“You what?” she asks, her face showing complete confusion and Justin’s grin widens, butterflies tickling his stomach as he prepares to say something he’s been dying to tell her all week.

“Yeah I called them a few days ago,” he says, biting his bottom lip. “I…I wanna start making music again.”

Amelia blinks back at him. “You must be joking.”

“No,” Justin says, grinning giddily his elation at finally saying the words over taking him. “No I’m not kidding. I’m gonna do it. See what I’ve got, you know. Maybe put out another record.”

“Oh don’t be absurd, Justin!” Amelia spats, her brow creasing and the smile slides from Justin’s face. “That’s not what you want.”

Justin eyes her carefully and sees that maybe he pushed too far. The humor in her eyes is gone and he can see that while she’s willing to compromise on a few things, a complete lifestyle change is out of the question at this point. He feels himself crumple slightly and he’s fully prepared to say “yeah baby you’re right,” tell her that it was a wistful fancy but as he’s opening his mouth he stops. It’s not a wistful fancy. He remembers a time when music was his life and he wants that back. How he could have ever forgotten is beyond him but he can’t continue living the way he is. He doesn’t want to just float through life from one business meeting to the next, not any more. He couldn’t let her intimidate him.

“Yes it is,” he says firmly and Amelia’s eyes widen and apparently she had been expecting the usual “yeah baby you’re right” as well. “This business stuff,” he says with a sigh shaking his head. “I mean it’s okay but I miss the music, babe. I miss it.”

“Well that’s all well and good Justin,” Amelia replies, crossing her arms over her chest, “but in case you’ve forgotten we’re getting married in six months.”

“It won’t interfere with the wedding,” Justin says and Amelia’s laugh sparkles dangerously.

“Justin I know how you get when you start dabbling in this mess,” she says and Justin can feel anger heating him but then she pauses, blinking at him before allowing her eyes to soften. “It…it just completely consumes you,” she says quietly, her blue eyes flicking away from his and she shifts. “It’s all that matters to you. All you care about,” she pauses again, her fingers playing absently with her fork. “Where does that leave me?”

Justin feels his heart clench slightly and he sighs. “Baby,” he says softly and she refuses to look at him, chewing her bottom lip slowly as he reaches for her hand again. “You know you’re the most important thing in my life. Amelia,” he pauses until her gaze meets his and he can see the uncertainty in her eyes. “It’s you okay. It’s always been you.” She smiles triumphantly and he has to grit his teeth at the fact that she’s thought she’s won. “I promise I won’t let this interfere with us okay.” The smile wipes from Amelia’s face, her lips parting slightly. “I just…I just wanna try something different for a change okay? Just for a little while.”

“Well…” Amelia says sighing looking completely shell-shocked as if wondering how she got herself so turned around. “I guess…whatever makes you happy.”

Justin smiles, feeling as if his face would break from it, relief flooding him and he feels himself finally relax. Everything is going to be different now. Things are going to turn around and go back to the way they were when they were just Justin and Amelia. Him and his girl like Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall, Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. They were going to be okay! He couldn’t wait to tell Charlotte.

The waitress arrives with their food, setting their plates in front of them and Justin watches the slight wrinkle of Amelia’s nose as she surveys the spread. He can’t help but realize that somewhere in the back of his mind an inkling of doubt is nagging at him. Something in the way Amelia looked at him, a mix of frustration and tolerance and something else he couldn’t quite place. He watches her nudge her food with her fork, shifting it around on her plate and then shakes his head, reaching for a fried green tomato and popping it in his mouth. They were going to be okay. They really were.

Chapter 18 pt 1 by SomethingBlue42
Author's Notes:

Okay guys this is a SUPER long one lol Had to split it into three parts so enjoy. And Happy Birthday to Fiance!J and all the !Justins!!!!

 

“…So pleaaaaaaase give me another chance / to write you another song / and take back those thing's I've done…”

Justin’s voice echoes off the high walls of the penthouse and he’s free, his eyes closed enjoying the feeling of his voice as it vibrates his vocal cords and the sound comes out clear and strong, almost like it was back when he was at his peak. He has to pace himself. He’d only been seeing his new vocal coach for a few weeks now and rushing into too much too quick could strain his already over used vocal cords. He had to be reminded more than a few times that he was not as young as he used to be.

He cringes remembering once again that his birthday is only two days away, a fact he’d been avoiding for the majority of the week along with thoughts of the ridiculous party that was to be held tonight in his honor. He really hadn’t wanted this to be a big deal but somehow it turned into one and while he’d tried to make the best of it he couldn’t help feeling a little sorry for himself. He really didn’t want to celebrate the fact that his twenties were behind him and he’d been having a hard time dealing with the fact that that part of his life was over. He was constantly thinking back to what it was like when he came into his twenties, how the whole world was opening up to him. Back when he was really starting to contemplate going solo and the possibilities were just endless. He didn’t have that same feeling now that he was coming into his thirties. In fact it felt as if the world was getting smaller and smaller. His parents were getting older, he was getting married, and his career was pretty much dead and buried.

But all that was going to change.

“Little girl you're all I've gooooot. / Don't you leeeeeeeave me staaaaaanding heeeeeeere once agaaaaaaaaaaaaaain / 'Cause I'll giiiiive yooooou myyyyyyyy liiiife / Yes I would / IIIIIIIIf yooooooou would let meeeeeee try to love yooooooooou”

He lets his voice go soft, his mind wandering over all the possibilities that were still ahead of him. The word comeback flutters through his mind and butterflies let loose in his belly at the mere thought. Maybe he’s wrong. Maybe the beginning of his thirties will be a little like the beginning of his twenties. But he doesn’t quite dare to hope. He is pretty sure Amelia’s head would explode if he even mentioned the idea of cutting a record right now. They didn’t talk much about the fact that he’d started writing again, that he’d been popping into the studio to help with some production on Kalaya’s record, spending more time in the rehearsal sessions for Grateman’s tour. He could feel her quiet disapproval when he came home late, or told her he wouldn’t be able to meet her for dinner. He could sense her displeasure. But she didn’t nag him, she didn’t comment on the amount of time he spent in the evening on the piano, writing melody after melody into the night. She was making an effort and while it was slow in coming it was still coming and he knows he has to take this just one step at a time.

“So pleaaaaaaase give me another chance / to write you another song / and take back those thing's I've done…”


“Justin?”

A voice calls from the bottom of the stairs but he ignores it, keeping his eyes closed so he can see the lights, remember the sound of the crowd, feel the energy that he’d been so close to forgetting not two weeks before. He holds onto it, living in the memory as his fingers trickle down the keys

“'Cause IIIIIIII'll giiiiiive yooou / myyyyyyy heart / IIIIIIf you would let meeeeeee start all oveeeeeeeeeeer…”


He pauses briefly and he can practically hear the roar of the audience, feel the lights on his face, hear them all screaming his name.

“Um…Justin?”

“IIIIIf you would let meeeee start all oveeeeeeeeeer…”
He trails, never wanting it to end, just like all those nights ago, nights that have turned into years, never wanting to end the song, never wanting to take his bows.

“JUSTIN! ISABEL HAS BEEN CALLING YOUR FOR TEN MINUTES!!!!”

He cringes, his eyes flying open and he does indeed see Isabel standing awkwardly at the top of the staircase, staring across the vast Great Room at him. Her long dark hair falls over her small shoulders, her dark eyes unsure and slightly scared and he’s reminded immediately of Charlotte several months before, standing in that exact same spot looking just as petrified as Amelia’s newest assistant.

“Agaaaaaaaaaaaaain,”
he ends slowly, letting his fingers cascade down the keys, ending in a flourish as he listens to Amelia’s bare feet slap against the marble staircase.

“Honestly Justin,” Amelia says and he turns finding her standing in her fluffy white bathrobe, her hair wrapped in large curlers, her face pale and even in only her foundation she holds a particular beauty. “You have your whole life to play that piano. Your party starts in thirty minutes. You’re still in your pajamas.”

“Calm down honey all I have to do is put on my tux,” Justin says, standing from the piano bench and Isabel watches him with slight disapproval.

“And fix your hair and pick out your cufflinks and-”

“And that will all take about twenty minutes. Giving me ten minutes to sit and play my piano,” he says walking over to Amelia and grinning as her face begins to turn red. “Hey, calm down okay?”

Amelia glares at him before gritting her teeth and taking a deep breath. She lets it out shakily before turning her heel and stomping down the stairs. Justin grins. Over the past several weeks he’s been amazed by Amelia’s shift in behavior. She still nags him but will stop if asked. She starts to throw a tantrum but a light chastisement from him and she backs down, gritting her teeth and stomping away to fume in silence until she’s calmer. She still insists on getting her way but will bend, although sometimes still very reluctantly, if he insists otherwise. It’s not perfect but it’s a start and for the first time in a long time Justin feels like this really could be what he wants. That forever isn’t as scary. That Amelia, his Amelia, is finally coming back.

“ISABEL!” Amelia yells and the girl doesn’t so much jump as her body somehow manages to propel itself four inches off the floor before she scurries down the stairs. “Really, I know you’re new but-”

Her voice is cut off by the loud gong of the doorbell, Amelia’s hand going to her throat in surprise as Isabel lets out a small shriek.

“Ugh who on earth would be ringing the doorbell?” Amelia asks annoyed, rolling her shoulders and then her eyes fall on her new assistant who is looking at the door interestedly. “Well?”

“I got it Iz,” Justin says with a chuckle, trotting down the stairs and reaching for the door, listening to Amelia scoff.

“HEY MOTHER FUCKER!!!”

Justin’s eyes widen at the sight of his best friend swathed in a white sheet, a crown of golden leaves encircling his head and his hand wrapped around the neck of the biggest bottle of Jack Daniels he’s ever seen. He does the only thing he can do at the moment. He laughs. Hard. The kind of laughter that sucks the air from your lungs and cramps your stomach. The kind of laughter he hasn’t had in awhile.

“I’m here, where’s the fuckin party?” Trace exclaims, pushing Justin out of the way to stand in the entryway.

Justin wipes at his eyes, still coughing out laughter as he turns and sees Amelia with her mouth hanging open, rage boiling in her eyes. Isabel looks caught between the instinctual urge to laugh and the quiet disapproval Amelia would want her to exude. Trace looks around, surveying the scene and then he frowns.

“What, no keg bro?” he asks and smacks Justin’s chest with the back of his hand. “Fuck I so had your back on a birthday kegstand dude. Even though it woulda been a fucking chore holdin’ your tall ass upside down.”

Justin shakes his head, laughing still and Amelia is standing stock still, her face turning redder by the second. Justin clears his throat, sniffing slightly because while Amelia has been doing her best to keep her temper at bay, it’s still a work in progress.  

“You…” Amelia starts and then juts her chin out, taking a deep breath. “You better have your suit with you.”

The words come out quickly and she turns on her heel again, stomping around the grand staircase toward the hallway that leads to her dressing room and Isabel hangs back a beat, watching Trace with curious amusement. Trace looks her over and grins smoothly which she blushes at.

“ISABEL!!!!”

The young girl jumps, letting out a small eek of surprise before turning to scurry down the hall after her boss. Trace watches her go before shaking his head.

“Dude I thought she was gonna fucking kill me for this,” Trace says, reaching down to grab part of his sheet and shaking it out. “You’re right she is making progress.”

“Told ya,” Justin says, grinning happily and while Trace smiles back he can’t help but notice it’s a little forced.

“Erm…here,” Trace says, shoving the bottle of Jack into his hands and shifting. “Happy birthday.”

“Oh…uh…thanks,” Justin says, looking down to examine the bottle and then looks back at him, chuckling once again at how ridiculous he looks. “You do have a tux right?”

“Oh…yeah,” Trace says, waving a hand and stepping back out into the small lobby outside the door. He pops back in holding a garment bag. “I figured if I came in with it on it woulda spoiled the reaction.”

“Totally,” Justin says with a chuckle silently thanking God for the goofy bastard that is his best friend.

“So you just gonna stand there and fuckin stare at me or are you gonna open your birthday present?”

Justin laughs. “Yeah come on,” he says gesturing him up the stairs. “I gotta change anyway.”

“Yeah you need your toga!” Trace exclaims, receiving another hearty laugh from Justin as he follows him up the stairs. “Hey who was the cute chick following Amelia around?”

Justin turns to look over his shoulder as they reach the landing and he laughs. “That’s Isabel. Amelia hired her right before Christmas. She’s like the new Charlotte.”

Trace stops, reaching out to grab Justin’s arm and Justin stops turning to his friend and finding Trace’s brow knit with concern. “Charlotte got fired?”

“NO! God no,” Justin says with a chuckle and Trace lets out a sigh of relief. “No Amelia kinda promoted her. She basically oversees the other three assistants now.” Justin chuckles smiling fondly. “I call them Charlie’s Angels.” He sniggers.

Trace stops again. “Amelia has three assistants? Plus Charlotte?” Justin nods, continuing his ascent. “What the fuck could she possibly need three assistants for?”

“Well,” Justin says with a sigh. “Isabel is in charge of her personal stuff, like getting her dry cleaning, making her appointments and stuff, Lauren answers the phones and…” he trails his face screwing up. “Shit what’s the other one’s name?” He thinks for a moment before his eyes widen and he snaps his fingers. “LICK!”

Trace raises an eyebrow. “Her name is Lick?”

Justin snorts. “No! LICK is how I remember their names. L. I. C. K. L is for Lauren, I is for Isabel, C is for Charlie,” he smiles, “ and K is for…Kirsten!” He frowns. “I have no idea what Kirsten does.” Justin chuckles finally reaching the top of the stairs and waits for Trace to take the last few steps.

“That’s ridiculous,” Trace says, slightly out of breath now. “Fuck dude do you really need all those stairs?”

Justin snorts. “For what we paid for this place, yes.”

Trace chuckles. “Hey how’s the writing going?” he asks as they pass the piano and Justin stops, turning to look at his friend slightly bewildered.

He chuckles to himself, thinking how sad it is that he’s shocked that someone cares about his writing anymore. Well, besides Charlotte who’s always happy to listen to him ramble about the latest jam session with Grateman’s band or the beats per minute on Kalaya’s new song. But that was different. That was for his artists. It’d been a long time since someone asked him how his writing was going.

“It’s…it’s actually going great,” Justin says, rubbing the back of his neck as he runs a hand over the edge of the piano. Trace beams.

“Well let’s hear it!” Trace says, tossing his garment bag over the back of one of the chairs. “Hey look!” Trace adds and Justin’s eyes follow his friends to sideboard that served as their bar for when Amelia threw her little get-togethers. “Perfect.”

Justin tenses as Trace rounds the piano and snatches two of the tumblers from the decorative tray and unscrews the cap on the bottle of whiskey. That decanter set was really just for show and Amelia would probably die if she saw Trace pouring them both a drink but it’s his birthday. Justin grimaces. If he’s going to be old he can at least drink out of any glass he wants.

“Here,” Trace says, handing him one of the glasses and then Trace clinks his glass with Justin’s before they both grin and throw it back.

The alcohol burns down his throat, settling in his stomach and Justin smacks his lips, enjoying the taste. He sits at the piano setting his glass on the top, which Trace refills for him like the good friend he is. Justin smiles his thanks and places his hands over the keys, nervousness tickling his stomach just slightly. It’d been a long time since he’d played something new for someone.

“Now this one-”

“Hello?”

He’s cut off by the sound of the penthouse door opening and closing and the unmistakable sound of Charlotte’s voice, slightly unsure, bounces infinitesimally off the marble. Trace grins mischievously at Justin before he bounds over to the banister and Justin chuckles, standing and ambling over with a sigh.

“Hey Char!” Trace exclaims and there’s a slight pause before Charlotte’s coughing laughter echoes up to the rafters. Justin can’t help but smile.

“I’m not even going to ask,” he hears Charlotte say and he can just see her shaking her head, the dimple in her right cheek revealing itself.

But his heart stops as he makes it to the banister, having to reach out and hold on as he watches Charlotte slip her arms out of her peacoat and hang in on the rack, revealing the long white gown underneath. It hangs all the way to the floor, the silk swishing breezily as she moves and he can see the long V of her back that’s revealed as she secures her coat over one of his on the rack. Her dark hair is pulled back and twisted at the nape of her neck, and he loses his breath as she turns finding a few loose strands framing her face.  His eyes widen when he sees that the neckline of the dress plunges almost as low as the back, revealing the smooth white skin between her breasts. Her face is angled up toward them now and he literally cannot speak, not being able to tell if the burn in his stomach is from the alcohol or the sight of her. She is absolutely stunning and Justin wonders why he’d never really noticed it before. Sure he thought she was pretty, beautiful even especially when she smiled but he never thought, never dreamed she could be this… perfect.

“You’re slightly overdressed you know,” Trace says, amusement in his voice. “I mean it’s a nice dress and all but you know…” Trace trails, reaching to ruffle the bottom part of his sheet.

“Oh god,” Charlotte says with a cringe as she raises a hand in front of her face, closing her eyes. “Nice boxers, Trace,” she chuckles.

“HEY!” Trace exclaims, stepping back from the banister pressing his sheet to his thighs. “I am not a piece of meat for you to oogle at.”

Charlotte giggles shaking her head and then her eyes fall on Justin who is still staring at her slack jawed. “Hey,” she says softly, bringing her arms up to wrap around her chest shyly.

Trace glances over at his friend and finds a look of awe painted over his face, his mouth open slightly and he knows Justin well enough to know he’s speechless. He sees something in Justin’s eyes, something that he hadn’t seen in awhile and he can’t help the grin that pulls over his lips. He chuckles to himself and Justin jumps as he feels Trace’s elbow dig into his ribs.

“Uh…yeah hey,” he says shaking his head and then smiling, chuckling at himself. “Hey.”

“Come on up we’re havin’ a drink,” Trace says, waving her up and she nods, gathering her skirt in her hands and walking carefully up the stairs.

Justin is struck suddenly by the idea of his wedding, watching Charlotte ascend the stairs towards him, her head bowed as she watches her feet carefully. Is this how it will feel when Amelia is walking towards him in her white dress? The butterflies, the anticipation, the complete and utter awe, which has left him speechless and dazed. His breath is stolen again as she comes to the top of the stairs, slightly breathless from the climb and they’re face to face. Her green eyes glitter from under long black lashes, the fullness of her lips painted a wine red color that begs to be kissed.

He coughs, taking a step back looking anywhere but her. What the hell was he thinking? This was Charlotte, just Charlie and he’s sure it’s just the fact that he’s completely spun about his birthday that has him thinking crazy things. Mid-life crisis hitting early or something. He always was an early bloomer.

“Here ya go Charlie,” Trace says and Justin hadn’t even noticed him pouring Charlotte a drink.

Charlotte takes it wearily. “Is this…?”

“Yep!” Trace says, throwing his back quickly. “Take it like a man!”

Charlotte narrows her eyes at him, swirling her drink wearily before taking a deep breath and tossing it back. She pulls the glass away from her lips, grimacing as she swallows hard and lets out the smallest of coughs, a hand going to her throat and Justin had never quite realized how slender her neck was, how small her hands were, how ringless her fingers were.

“Charlotte? Is that you?” Amelia’s voice echoes off the marble in the foyer and Justin hears the smart tap of her heels against the stone.

“Shit!” Justin exclaims, bolting around chairs and settees in his haste to get back into the bedroom.

“Where are you goin bro?” Trace asks, amusement lacing his words as he tips more whiskey into Charlotte’s glass, ignoring her protest.

“I have to change!” he calls and Trace shakes his head, taking another sip from his now filled glass, the fig leaves in his hair rustling. Charlotte giggles.

“Yes, it’s me Amelia,” Charlotte calls.

“Good, at least someone is on time,” she hears Amelia huff and then the sharp clack of her heels on the stairs.

“Better drink that before she gets up here,” Trace says, nudging her with his elbow and Charlotte jumps, looking down at the glass in her hand.

“Crap!” she mutters, looking around helplessly but there’s no place to stash it and she glares at Trace as he chuckles before tossing the drink back.

The room goes hazy slightly and her throat is on fire, the blaze settling in her chest as she sets the glass on the piano. She shakes her head hard, getting out one last grimace before Amelia crests the stairs. Trace lets out a low whistle.

“Fuck Amelia think your dress could be any shorter?” Trace asks snidely and Charlotte turns, her eyes widening.

Amelia is not wearing the pretty, white Oscar de la Renta party dress she had sent Charlotte to pick up and have dry cleaned only to be altered and have to be dry cleaned again. Instead, she’s wearing a little black satin number, the large sleeves hanging low off her shoulders, the fabric fanning out in a bell shape and swishing down around her wrists. The tan expanse of her long legs climbs from her Christian Louboutin three strap heels, the six-inch spikes pushing her into the stratosphere. The hemline hits her just below the apex of her legs and Charlotte feels slightly scandalized for her but she’s not really one to talk she thinks crossing her arms over her exposed chest. Amelia looks at Trace disapprovingly.

“Are you still in that toga?” Amelia asks rolling her eyes and Trace just grins.

“I’m ready for the party!” he exclaims, doing a little groove. “When’s the keg get here?”

Charlotte giggles and Amelia turns to her, her blue eyes widening at the sight of her. Charlotte holds her breath, letting her hands fall to her sides as Amelia’s ice blue eyes travel from the hem of her dress to the top of her head. Charlotte does her best to stand up straight and not fidget, trying to exude an air of confidence that she wishes she’d practiced more before she got here.  After a moment Amelia smiles.

“Well look at you Charlotte,” she says smiling primly. “Lucky your chest isn’t any bigger or someone might get a free show.”

Charlotte feels her cheeks burn crimson as she ducks her head, her arms coming up to wrap around her chest and she jumps when she feels a warm hand on her back.

“Why Amelia, you wouldn’t be jealous would you?” Trace asks, his hand smoothing quickly up and down Charlotte’s back before crossing his arms over his chest and grinning at Amelia whose mouth has parted slightly.

“Alright I’m ready!” Justin exclaims jogging out of the bedroom and stops, frowning when he sees Trace’s hand fall from Charlotte’s back. “What’s going on?”

“We’re just talking about how awesome Charlie looks,” Trace grins his elbow nudging her and Justin smiles at the deep blush of her cheeks, her head ducking low.

“T-thanks,” she replies, a smile tugging at her resistant lips and Justin can’t remember the last time he saw a woman take a compliment so sincerely.

He hears a small huff and for the first time notices Amelia standing there, her full lips drawn in a pronounced pout. Her hair is perfectly coiffed, the jagged layers hanging around her chin and her ice blue eyes shine starkly against the smoky eye shadow on her lids. Her lips are frosted pink as are her cheeks and her dress – his eyes widen.

“What the hell are you wearing?” he asks, before he can stop himself and Amelia’s eyes widen at him, jutting her chin out defiantly.

“It’s Marchesa,” she says airily, running her hands over her stomach, the ridiculously large sleeves swishing noisily. “Don’t you like it?”

“Erm…” Justin says, eyeing the length dubiously. “I thought you were wearing that white one.”

Amelia blinks at him, her mouth pressing tight in rage as her hands fall to her side. Her fists ball and Justin can tell it’s taking all her willpower not to explode. He cringes, reaching up to rub the back of his neck.

“I mean I like that one…too…its just…” he eyes the length again. “Won’t you be cold?”

Amelia snorts. “I have a coat, Justin.” She bristles slightly reaching up to run her hands over her hair. “You look nice too,” she adds sarcastically.

Justin sighs. “Babe you know I think you’re gorgeous,” he says and Amelia’s eyes narrow at him

“Hey, Charlie!” Trace says jovially and Justin’s head whips to his friend, frowning at his use of his nickname. “Lets go downstairs and not be here.”

“Smooth Trace,” Charlotte deadpans, giggling at him as he ushers her towards the staircase.

“Oh no you don’t,” Amelia spats and they both stop, looking at her bewildered. “Go put your tux on. We’re going to be late.”

Trace smirks. “Tux? What are you-”

“Trace,” Justin says and gives a slight shake of his head. He’s pushed Amelia enough tonight.

Trace sighs. “Alright alright.” He snatches the garment bag from the back of the chair and trudges back to their bedroom.

Justin watches him disappear down the hall before turning to Amelia who is frowning deeply, her arms now crossed over her chest. He sighs, taking the few short steps toward her, his arm slipping smoothly around her waist. She stiffens under his touch, glaring at him and he gives her a charming smile.

“You look really beautiful, Amelia,” he says softly, nodding his head to punctuate his sincerity and she gives him a dubious look before squaring her shoulders.

“Thank you,” she says sharply but her tone sounds more like “it’s about time” and she gives him a quick glance. “You look nice too.” Then she pauses as she glances at his face. “What on…” she chuckles. “Are you wearing my earrings?”

Justin’s eyes widen, reaching up to finger the old diamond studs he’d slipped in his ears on a whim. “No…these are mine.”

“Oh,” Amelia says, her voice jumping an octave. “God you haven’t worn those in years.”

“Yeah,” Justin says, smiling in pleasant surprise that she even noticed and then mentally chastising himself for doubting her. She’s trying; he shouldn’t be so critical.

“When were those en vogue? Like 2003?” she prods gently and Justin shifts slightly. He was under the impression that diamonds were always in style. Maybe he was wrong…

“Alright,” Trace says, causing everyone to turn and Charlotte giggles as he tugs at his tie. “You got me in this monkey suit now where’s the fuckin party?”
 
Amelia cringes, a sweet smile pulling at her lips but Charlotte can see her jaw clenching. “Nice to know that even in evening wear you’re still as crass as ever.”

“Oh you know it darlin,” Trace drawls, smirking at her and she bristles crossing her arms tightly over her chest as Trace sidles up to Charlotte. “Looks like I’m your date for the evening.”

Charlotte laughs as he takes her hand, his lips brushing her knuckles before throwing an arm around her shoulders. Justin eyes his best friend wearily and Amelia looks slightly horrified.

“Where’s Ginger?” Amelia asks, looking from Trace to Charlotte, her eyes narrowed in suspicion. Justin looks uncertainly from Amelia to his best friend and he frowns. Trace and Charlotte?

“Oh she’s back home,” Trace says with a sigh. “She said that three days wasn’t enough notice to,” he makes air quotes, “’fly across the country.’” He rolls his eyes. “She’s on this career kick.”

“But you’re still together right?” Justin asks before he can stop himself and they all look at him, confused by the edge in his voice.

“Uh, yeah dude,” Trace says, squinting at him and shaking his head before giving Justin a searching look.

“We ready?” Justin asks, avoiding his friend’s gaze by reaching up to fiddle with his earring. Amelia frowns.

“Are you sure those earrings aren’t mine?” she asks, her face painted in angelic innocence and Charlotte has to elbow Trace in the ribs to keep him from laughing.

“No, I’m pretty sure they’re mine,” he says with a chuckle, reaching up to fiddle with the studs and Amelia looks at him, her brow drawn in concentration as she thinks.

“Yeah but they look like mine,” Amelia says, her voice punctuating the point her words don’t and Justin gives her a withered look before rolling his eyes. Amelia’s hands ball at her sides. “Fine, if you want to look like a girl I can’t stop you. It’s your birthday.”

With that she turns her heel and saunters gracefully down the stairs, her voice raising as she hollers for Isabel and the sound of designer heels racing across marble sounds from below them. Justin looks down at the floor, feeling his cheeks burn and he hears the silent “oomph” Trace emits when Charlotte’s elbow comes in contact with his ribs and he tries to disguise his bark of laughter as a cough.

“Dude…you-”

“Don’t,” Justin says with a sigh, reaching up to rub his forehead. “Just…don’t.”

He turns to stomp down the stairs listening as Charlotte chastises Trace quietly, her heels clicking against the marble as they make their descent behind him. Amelia is fussing with Isabel as the girl helps her on with her little mink coat, Amelia slapping her hands away as she tries to adjust the collar. Why couldn’t he just wear what he wanted for once? She’d already vetoed the first suit he’d chosen for his birthday, and while she had made a good point that wearing a white suit and eating barbeque probably wasn’t the best of ideas he still liked the other one better. That was the problem. He could never tell if she was really just being helpful or if she was just manipulating him.

“Are you sure you don’t want me to come along?” Isabel asks and Charlotte can see the hunger in her eyes, the deep want to be included.

“No,” Amelia says shortly, fluffing her hair in the mirror next to the door. “Charlotte will be there if I need anything.”

Isabel’s eyes fall on Charlotte who is reaching for her pea coat on the rack. She doesn’t miss the slight curl of Isabel’s upper lip as she looks down the tiny slope of her nose at Charlotte distaste painting her delicate features. Isabel is a social climber, hell bent on being Amelia’s pet, hanging on her every word and bowing to her every whim. She thinks that all of this will endear her to Amelia in some way. Charlotte already knows that Amelia expects these things from the people that work for her, that her best efforts often times wouldn’t be good enough and she shouldn’t let that get her down. She’d thought about telling Isabel this but after the girl made Amelia’s coffee wrong and blamed it on Charlotte she decided she wasn’t going to do the girl any favors.

“Surely I could assist you better than-”

“Charlotte!” Amelia cries and Charlotte freezes where she stands, her fingers wrapped in the collar of her coat as she attempts to straighten it. Amelia looks horrified. “You cannot wear that heinous thing over that dress!”

“But it’s-”

“I can’t even believe you even wore it over here,” Amelia spats and Charlotte blinks down at herself, blushing slightly. “Take it off, you can get it tomorrow.”

“It’s fourteen degrees outside!” Trace exclaims but Charlotte shakes her head at him, slipping her arms out of her coat and placing it back on the rack.

Trace looks to Justin as if trying to understand but Justin isn’t paying attention. He stands silent by the door, still brooding slightly. He shouldn’t get so worked up over earrings. But it really wasn’t over the earrings. It was about the fact that Amelia had said something hurtful just to get her way. Although it wasn’t really all that hurtful. Trace called him a girl all the time. But that was beside the point…

He contemplates this on the elevator ride down, not really listening as Amelia introduces Trace to Isabel, a charming lilt in her words as she nudges Isabel closer to him. They step out into the lobby and the hotel patrons’ heads turn, eyeing the group of well-dressed people, the celebrity and the business mogul, the friend and the assistants. Amelia preens under the attention, standing straighter, taking longer strides and he ducks his head, his hands shoved in his pockets. He’d spent the majority of his life being the center of attention but he never could get used to being gawked at. He was forever wondering even while doing the most mundane of things who was watching him, evaluating him, judging him.

Justin’s thoughts are only broken when he hears Charlotte’s sharp intake of breath as they step out into the January night, the sky clear and the air freezing. He looks over and finds her body ridged, tiny goose bumps prickling her bare arms and his eyes are drawn once again to the creamy skin of her breastbone. He snaps out of it as her arms come up to wrap around herself, a hard tremor shaking through her and without even really thinking about it he slips his arms out of his suit jacket, slipping it around her bare shoulders.

Charlotte jumps, her green eyes crashing into his and she gives him a small smile, threading her arms through the sleeves and wrapping it tight around herself. His hand presses to the roundest part of her back, rubbing up and down swiftly and she shivers but this time it isn’t from the cold. She looks down, whispering a quiet thank you and he’s about to reply when Amelia’s sharp voice calls from the curb.

“Come on Justin! You can’t be late for your own birthday party!”
Chapter 18 pt 2 by SomethingBlue42

“When we get there you’re going to have your photo taken, by yourself and with me-”

“What about me?” Trace interrupts, nudging Charlotte and trying not to grin. Amelia ignores him.

“Then dinner will be served,” and under her breath she adds, “dresses will be ruined.”

“Hey,” Justin says, scowling at her and she looks up from the folder Isabel had handed her before the limo pulled away from the curb. She smiles sweetly, patting his knee.

“I was kidding,” she says with a sigh and then as she looks down at the folder again he sees Trace mouth “no she wasn’t” and then wink at him. He gives him a small smile. “Then there will be some dancing-”

“And drinking,” Trace interrupts, reaching out his fist which Justin bumps with his own and Amelia frowns, whether its from being interrupted or Justin and Trace’s camaraderie Charlotte isn’t sure.

“At 11 we’ll bring out the cake and you’ll blow out the candles-”

“Wait, I said no candles,” Justin interrupts, his eyes widening. “Come on Amelia it was the one thing-”

“Fine, fine,” Amelia snaps attempting to slam the folder shut but fails because of the flimsy weight of it. “I’ll cancel the candles. Honestly Justin I don’t know why you’re so upset. It’s just another year and your thirties are when you hit your prime anyway.”

“Actually that’s only women,” Trace says with a nod. “Guys hit their prime at about eighteen.”

Amelia grits her teeth, giving Trace a look that says she would kill him if she weren’t in evening wear. “I wasn’t talking about sex, Tracey.”

“Can we not talk about this right now?” Justin asks, letting his head fall back and Charlotte reaches out, patting his knee understandingly.

His head snaps up to look at her and she pulls her hand back immediately, giving him a sheepish grin. He smiles back at her, chuckling to himself. Wasn’t she the one who always flinched when he touched her? He needs to calm down. It’s just a party. He’s been to a million of them. Just a massive, formal birthday party celebrating the fact that he’s ancient.

“And then after the cake has been served and everything you’ll give your speech,” Amelia continues and Justin’s mind jars.

“What? You didn’t say anything about a speech,” he says, eyeing her and panicking slightly.

“Well it’s your birthday Justin!” Amelia says with a sigh. “People are going to expect you to say something. It’s not a big deal, just thank everyone for coming and me for throwing the thing.”

She smiles sweetly, leaning over to peck his cheek and he smiles slightly, shaking his head. She can drive him crazy, make him want to strangle her and then she does something like that and none of it matters, just the fact that he loves her.

As the car slows, his brow creases, hearing shouts and voices from outside. Maybe he’ll get lucky and there’ll be some horrible altercation in the street that will force him to miss his party. He turns in his seat and his eyes widen as he sees the street lined with cars, the front of 583 Park lit up like the fourth of July. His mouth hangs open as he sees all the people out front, pressed against the barricades that keep them from overflowing onto the red carpet. They pull up to the curb and the flashbulbs have already started, the three or four paparazzi stationed to get shots of the guests as they get out of their town cars and limos snapping pictures in anticipation.

“Amelia, what-”

But he doesn’t get a chance to finish, the door opening and Amelia is out of the car in a flash. He’s next, scrambling as best he can still slightly dazed. The flashbulbs blind him and the smile that pulls at his lips is second nature, squinting from the blinding light. Somehow his hand manages to find Amelia’s lower back as they stop and pose.

“Where is your jacket?” she asks through clenched teeth, her smile brilliant and he’s about to turn when he feels a small hand on his shoulder blade.

His hand reaches back and Charlotte is slipping his jacket up his arms in an instant and he feels the tremor of her hands before she pulls back. He hopes Trace is gentleman enough to give her his as he pops his lapels like the true showman he is.

But he doesn’t have much time to think on it then, people shouting his name from all directions, girls cheering happy birthday, grown men egging him on about his age and the flashes are non-stop. He’s always so amazed that people care enough about his life to show up to things like this. To stand in the cold and wait for him to arrive just to wave a little before going inside.

Cries of “Justin” and “Amelia!” surround them as they step up to the deck. The wall behind them is swathed in black and white gossamer, twinkle lights behind them and Justin wonders briefly how much this all cost. He stands and poses, his hands shoved in his pockets looking in the different directions and smiling. Amelia’s arm slips around his waist, clutching him to her side as she joins him and he feels slightly claustrophobic from all the attention, turning his head here and there, smiling brightly for the camera. He glances to his right, fidgeting slightly and he can see the area near the entrance, dark without the high contrast lighting that warms his face. His eyes find Charlotte, gleaming white in the shadows, her slight frame trembling as she waits for them to be finished. Trace is nowhere to be found.

Amelia’s head tilts closer to his shoulder and he gives her hip a squeeze, silently asking how much longer. She looks up at him and gives him a small smile before sighing and releasing him from her grasp. He raises a hand, stepping away from her and the shutters increase as he begins to walk away, Amelia staying behind for a few solo shots.

He takes a deep breath as he jogs up to Charlotte, his body uncoiling slightly now that he’s in the shadows. He stands next to her, watching Amelia preen in front of the cameras and he fights the urge to roll his eyes. Amelia never could resist a photo op. A sharp gust of wind blows through the red carpet, ruffling dresses and hair and Justin hears Charlotte hiss, the tiniest of whimpers pulling from the back of her throat.

“Come on,” Justin says, slipping his jacket off again and draping it around her shoulders. “Lets go inside.”

“I-I-I have to st-st-stay and w-w-wait…” she says and then swallows hard, clutching his jacket closed around her.

“Hey Justin.”

Charlotte watches Justin’s head turn and she follows his gaze, her eyes widening as she sees Patti sauntering towards them. Her dress is simple and sleek, hugging her curves in all the right ways and Charlotte envies the cinch of her waist and the length of her legs. She also envies the way Justin’s eyes travel smoothly over her body in that way that men have.

“Hey Patti,” Justin says, giving her a quick smile and Charlotte doesn’t miss the brush of Patti’s shoulder against his as she returns it, slinking her way into the building.

She watches Justin’s eyes follow Patti briefly before he turns back to her blinkingly as if trying to remember what they had been talking about. Jealousy tastes bitter in her mouth as she crosses her arms in front of herself, trying to hold some of her warmth in, Justin’s clean scent surrounding her and she fights the hard tremor that shakes its way through her.

“Come on, Charlie,” Justin says reaching his hand out to rub up and down her bicep quickly. “You’re freezing.”

“I know b-b-but-”

“Hey, its my birthday,” he says placing both his hands on her biceps, rubbing up and down quickly. “You have to do what I say.”

She gives him an uncertain look but when another gust of wind blows through she gives a hard shiver and turns towards the entrance to the building, her shoes clicking as she hurries inside.

Justin’s eyes widen as they walk into the large hall, the elegance overwhelming him for a moment and he marvels that this is all for him. Men in tuxedos sit at round tables chatting easily about the stock market and the weather. Women in designer dresses mill about, hurrying from one group to the next and gossiping among themselves. Heads turn their direction and smug smiles pull at lips, eyebrows raise and people lean in to whisper. This is how it is at society parties and Justin is struck dumb by the fact that his birthday has been turned into a gala event. But with Amelia why would he expect any less?

“This is a fuckin’ disaster,” he mutters as he steps out of the way to allow a few people to pass him, receiving polite nods from them in return.

“It was nice of her to do this for you,” Charlotte says gently, her voice slightly hopeful and Justin sighs.

“There’s a fuckin’ red carpet outside,” Justin says and Charlotte can’t help but giggle at the absurdity of his statement.

“I’m sorry,” she says, reaching up to cover her mouth with her hand but the sleeve of his jacket gets in the way. “It just sounds so ridiculous.”

“SEE!” he exclaims an unwilling chuckle pulling from his throat as well and he sighs letting his head hang back. “How do I let her talk me into this stuff?”

Charlotte gives him a small smile, slipping her arms out of his jacket and the lights catching on the silk of her dress and he’s struck suddenly with the vision of her walking towards him, a bouquet of gardenia blooms cascading over her hands. He shakes his head hard as she holds his coat out to him and sighs.

“Because you love her.”

He eyes her questioningly, confused by the sad lilt of her voice as he swings his jacket back, slipping it up his shoulders. He’s adjusting his collar as she looks at her feet, her French manicured toes peeking out from under the hem of her dress. He smiles.

“You went all out for this huh?” he asks and she looks up at him, a blush pinkening her cheeks as she crosses her arms in front of her chest.

“I just wanted to prove Am-“ she pauses, her eyes widening as she realizes who she’s speaking to, “Erm…some people wrong.”

Justin chuckles, bobbing his head knowingly. He smirks. “You sure it wasn’t you just wanting to look pretty for me on my birthday?”

He grins, reaching out to nudge her with the back of his hand and the skin of her bicep is soft against his knuckles, her flesh still slightly chilled. She takes a step back, her cheeks flaming red and he shuffles his feet laughing slightly and enjoying her bashfulness. She smiles at him finally, the dimple in her cheek revealing itself for a moment before she sighs.

“Yes Justin,” she says, a giggle bubbling from her throat. “It was all for you.”

“I’m a lucky man,” he finds himself saying and their smiles fade slightly, staring at each other and the waiting is back, that odd sensation they’d felt in Memphis and both are speechless.

The spell is broken as a camera flash blinds them, both reaching up to shield their eyes at the unexpected assault.

“Sorry kid,” the guy says and as the spots slowly clear from Justin’s vision he recognizes the older man holding the camera.

“Michael! Dude you know I hate it when you do that,” Justin says, rubbing his eyes and the photographer laughs.

“Yeah sorry kid,” he says checking his lens. “The boss lady wants candids.”

“Amelia hired you?” Justin asks perplexed and Michael nods.

“To document your fabulous birthday extravaganza,” he says and they both roll their eyes before smiling. “Well I gotta go,” he says wiggling his camera by way of explanation and Justin grins. “I’ll see you when you blow out them candles.”
 
Justin grimaces. “I said no candles dude. Fuck candles.”

Michael laughs before turning and weaving his way into the crowd, snapping pictures here and there. Justin remembers long photo shoots with him back when he was still with the group and a certain sense of nostalgia hits him. He misses the old days of eighteen hour rehearsals, dinner on the go and nonstop promotion. He frowns. What is he saying?

“Who was that?” Charlotte asks breaking his train of thought and Justin blinks.

“Oh that was Michael Lissen. I’ve known him since I was fourteen. He used to do promo shots for the group I was in,” Justin says, crossing his arms over his chest and sighing. “God I’m old.”

Charlotte laughs. “You’re not old,” she scolds lightly and Justin snorts but a smile is pulling at his lips.

“Well at least now I know I won’t die young,” he quips and Charlotte giggles, watching him watch the crowd.

She likes the loose curl of his hair, the slight hint of stubble on his cheek. She likes how broad his shoulders look in his tux, how tall he is. She likes the clean simple scent of him but most of all she loves the way he looks when he’s happy. Really genuinely happy like when he teases her about Amelia’s other airhead assistants being ‘Charlie’s Angels’ or when Felicity asked whether Nebraska was a city or a state and they had laughed so hard tears were streaming down their faces. 

“You…you look good tonight, J,” she says softly before she can stop herself and his head snaps to her looking at her slightly bewildered.

He watches her carefully, reading her face slowly and he realizes that she means it. So often he’s told he looks nice or did something well just to get a compliment reciprocated but there is no agenda to Charlotte’s words, just the fact that it’s his birthday and she thinks he looks nice. A smile pulls across his face and he stands a little straighter, smoothing his hands down the lapels of his jacket.

“Thanks Charlie,” he says and she smiles up at him, her eyes deep and green and there’s a tug in his belly, an overwhelming pull to step closer to her, to cup her face, to-

“Justin! Come on there are people here who want to talk to you!”

He jumps as he feels Amelia’s fingers curl around his bicep and before he even has a chance to think he’s being drug away, leaving Charlotte standing by herself, a lonely angel in the corner.


***


“I need a drink.”

Justin slides tiredly onto a barstool, rubbing his face slowly. His feet hurt, his back aches and his jaw is sore from smiling. He is convinced that he and Amelia had spoken to every single person in the room, forced to listen to who bought what at the latest Christie’s auction and trite conversation about the wedding. What flowers were they choosing? Who was doing the catering? Did Amelia finally decide on a dress? What few questions actually pertained to him had more to do with his artists than his own career and it was all so thoroughly depressing he just wanted to scream. He sighs, staring forlornly at the wooden bar top jumping when a Jack and Coke slides into view. He looks up slightly bewildered and smiles when he recognizes the bartender from his restaurant. She gives him a warm smile in return before shuffling down the bar to take care of the other guests.

“Fuck dude this is some party.”

Justin turns to find Trace sliding onto a barstool next to him, his tie already loosened around his neck. He looks tired and Justin can tell instantly that something is bothering him. It’s then that he realizes that he hasn’t seen his friend once as he was making the rounds with Amelia.

“You okay, dude?” Justin asks, taking a sip of his drink and instantly feeling better. Nothing like a little alcohol and his best friend to brighten his mood.

“Yeah,” Trace says waving a hand dismissively before signaling to the bartender and pointing at Justin’s drink. She nods and begins making him one. “Ginger called me as soon as we got here,” he rolls his eyes, “crying.”

Justin’s brow creases. “Why?”

“Well,” he pauses as his drink is set in front of him. “Thanks – well she’s all upset now because she didn’t come with me. Something about being mean to me?” He shrugs. “I dunno she was just freaking out so I was trying to calm her down.”

“That sucks, bro,” Justin says patting his friend on the back and taking another drink. “Maybe you could-”

“Justin, darling how are you?”

Justin cringes slightly as the high cultured voice of his future mother-in-law reaches his ears. He turns and finds an older version of Amelia, tall and lithe, her white blonde hair pulled back in an elegant twist, her blue eyes not quite as bright as Amelia’s and the skin around them not quite as firm. For a woman of fifty-three she looks like she’s in her thirties which is a testament to her surgeon, not that she would admit to any of that. She comes from a long line of Ladies Who Lunch, a lifetime spent throwing charity balls and jet-setting to Europe for fashion week, training her to be poised and gracious, refined and demure and above all else vicious when crossed.

“Molly!” Justin exclaims, smiling warmly at her and she holds out her hand which he takes and squeezes. “Glad you could make it.”

“Yes well you know I never miss a good party,” she says smiling at him and he forces a grin. She never misses a good opportunity to gossip.

“Preston with you?” he asks when she doesn’t continue and she shakes her head.

“Oh no, dear he’s in Los Angeles for work,” she says waving a hand dismissively. “He was so sorry he couldn’t make it,” She looks around and her nose wrinkles just slightly. “He loves barbeque.”
 
Trace sniggers. “You must be Amelia’s mother,” he says and Molly turns her cool gaze to him, standing just a little straighter.

“Molly, this is my best friend, Trace,” Justin says and Molly’s chin tips up, looking down the tiny slope of her nose.

“Oh…you’re the best man,” Molly says, her voice tight and Trace grins. “I’ve…heard so much about you.”

“It’s all true,” Trace smirks, taking a big gulp of his drink and Molly bristles. “Now like I was sayin’ J,” Trace says, swallowing and smacking Justin’s arm with the back of his hand. “You have to get the high class strippers for the bachelor party. Like that’s not where you scrimp and save you know what I mean?”

Molly’s eyebrows raise but other than that her face betrays nothing, six generations of blue blood running through her veins giving her the ability to handle any situation with grace. She gives him a polite smile before turning her attention back to Justin.

“You must just be in love with this party,” Molly gushes and Justin forces another smile. “Black and white, how elegant!”

“Yeah, it was Amelia’s idea,” Justin says with a smile he hopes is warm.

“Well obviously dear,” Molly says with a chuckle and she reaches out to straighten Justin’s tie, “I’m so glad you decided to go with the black suit instead of the white. Amelia said you were debating.”

“Oh…” Justin says, shifting uncomfortably as Molly’s fingers smooth the bowtie at his neck. “Yeah um I wanted the white but-”

“This is obviously such a better choice,” Molly interrupts, looking him up and down. “You’re such a handsome young man.”

“Yep he always was the lady killer,” Trace says, motioning to the bartender for another drink. Molly eyes him disapprovingly and Justin sees where Amelia gets it.

“It’s good to see you again, Justin,” she says smiling at him and reaching to pat his knee stiffly. “We should all have dinner soon. Amelia says you love Sasabune.”

“Yeah I-”

“Sasabune? That sushi place? I love that place! Maybe I could come too,” Trace interrupts, and Molly blinks at him slowly her eyes cool, her face a mask.

“Yes…well…” she clears her throat. “Enjoy your party, Justin.”

And with that she gives Trace one last look before turning and gliding away, the chiffon of her dress billowing around her legs. Trace sniggers after her, reaching for his drink and sipping it slowly.

“You’re a shit stirrer you know that,” Justin says with a chuckle and Trace grins.

“Gotta do something to liven this party up,” he replies and Justin laughs.

Justin sighs, turning on his barstool to look out onto the dance floor and Trace does the same, both men leaning with their elbows back against the bar. A few people are milling around, the band playing a mellow song he doesn’t really recognize. Antunes is on the keyboards, his fingers moving methodically over the keys without really paying much attention and Justin can almost taste his boredom. Skip is swaying slowly, his fingers working over the strings off his guitar lazily, leaning to say something quietly to Kevin who nods, plucking at his bass easily. John’s foot works steadily on the peddle of his drums, his sticks tinkering softly against one of the cymbals. Justin remembers jam sessions with them before the tour, wailing long into the night, working together and trying new things. He remembers the energy and the excitement. He can see it in them still, feel it bubbling under the surface. What he would give to climb on stage with them right now, just do a few songs. Amelia would have his head.

“Charlie looks good tonight.”

Justin blinks slowly, his mind jarring at Trace’s words and he looks at his best friend who is smiling, giving a slight nod of his head across the room. Justin follows his gaze and sees Charlotte standing with a group of people who look to be assistants, a glass of champagne in one hand, her other arm wrapped around her middle self consciously. His eyes widen slightly when he sees that she’s talking to a tall young man in an expensive looking suit. She glances away from him catching Justin’s eye and smiling feebly, giving a little wave. Justin’s brow furrows as the guy touches her arm, drawing her attention back to him and she nods, smiling politely at whatever he’s saying.

“Yeah she does,” Justin says throwing back the rest of his drink. “Who’s that guy?”

“No idea,” Trace says airily and Justin glances at his friend who is smiling smugly.

“What?” Justin asks and Trace looks at him and laughs. “What?” Justin demands again and Trace only laughs harder.

When he finally gets a hold of himself he blinks at Justin before shaking his head. “You like her dude.” He pats him on the shoulder.

Justin’s eyes go so wide he fears they may just fall out of his skull. He looks blankly over at Charlotte who is now laughing at what the idiot guy is saying and Justin scowls looking back at Trace.

“I do not,” he insists his voice defensive as he shifts awkwardly on his barstool and Trace gives him a withered look.

“I see the way you look at her. You like her,” he grins and Justin shakes his head, his face scrunched in disbelief.

“No…just….” He pauses searching for words. “No!”

“Okay then,” Trace says, looking at Justin soberly, leaning his elbow on the bar. “Tell me something you don’t like about her.”

Justin scoffs opening his mouth to rattle off a list but no sound comes out. What doesn’t he like about Charlotte? He closes his mouth, his face screwing up in thought. He kind of hates the clipped tone she gets with him when he calls her and she’s in the middle of something. Then again she always catches herself and apologizes profusely, which actually cancels the first part out because he’s always touched by her sincerity. He kind of dislikes the way she ignores his attempts at jokes for as long as possible but then again that makes her laughter at the end so much more rewarding. He hates the way she’s standing now with her arm around her chest, covering herself up when she looks so damn perfect.

“You just keep thinkin’ over there,” Trace says after a minute and Justin scowls at him.

“I don’t like the way she lets Amelia talk down to her,” Justin says and Trace raises an eyebrow at him. “Okay shut up.”

“Didn’t say a word,” Trace replies with a chuckle.

“I do not like Charlotte,” Justin insists and Trace nods.

“Would it be such a bad thing if you did?” Trace asks, taking a sip of his drink and Justin looks at him astonished.

“Um, considering the fact that I’m engaged, yeah I’d say that would pose a problem.”

“Why?”

“Why?” Justin asks disbelievingly. “Because I’m engaged.”

“I didn’t say you had to act on those feelings, Justin,” Trace says with a pointed look. “Of course who could blame you if you did?”

They both turn and watch as Charlotte brushes her hair out of her face and her arms finally fall to her sides, forgetting to cover herself up and she’s absolutely beautiful. What if he did like Charlotte? He shouldn’t be thinking about this, shouldn’t even let it cross his mind but he finds he can’t stop himself. Charlotte, his Charlie, the girl who can turn his day around simply by showing up, who can calm him down when he gets worked up, who listens to him and cares about what he’s saying, who goes out of her way to make his day a little easier even if it means making her job harder. He watches her smile and the dimple in her cheek reveals itself, stealing his breath just slightly. How had he never realized it before? He likes Charlotte.

“Looks like Mr. Smooth over there is going in for the kill.”

Trace’s words cause his thoughts to break and his head to whip to see the guy step closer to Charlotte and she gives him a polite smile as he speaks softly to her, his eyes now on her chest instead of her face. Justin sets his glass down on the bar.

“Where ya goin buddy?” Trace asks with a smirk and his tone says he knows exactly where his friend is going.

“She needs help,” Justin says absently not even waiting for Trace’s response.

He weaves his way through the crowd, smiling at a few of the people who tell him what a wonderful party this is. He probably shouldn’t be doing this. He doesn’t know if Charlotte needs his help or not really. For all he knows she could like this bonehead that’s flirting shamelessly with her although he has no idea how she possibly could. He’s not even that good looking and while his suit looks expensive it’s nothing special. He is so obviously wrong for her and if she couldn’t see that then it’s up to him to save her from herself.

As he approaches, their exchange becomes clearer over the hum of conversation around him.

“I was named after my grandfather,” the guy says haughtily, swirling the champagne in his glass and Charlotte’s eyebrows raise in a caricature of interest.

“Well…Stanford is a nice name,” Charlotte replies awkwardly and Justin can feel himself sneer. The guy’s name is Stanford?

Stanford chuckles, leaning closer to her still. “Well you think that’s nice you should hear my phone number…”

“Charlotte!” Justin exclaims jovially and they both jump, turning towards him.

“Um…hey Justin!” she says her enthusiasm not quite matching his as she gives him a searching look. Her arm comes up to cover her chest again, her hand curling around her opposite bicep. “Did you…need something?”

“A dance,” he says with a smile and Charlotte’s eyes widen. “Come on Amelia blew me off to be Miss Social Butterfly and it’s my birthday.” His eyes fall on Stanford who is looking at him soberly, his well-bred face showing no sign of malice but indignation is burning in his eyes. “You don’t mind do you?”

“Oh it’s fine,” Charlotte says for him, handing Stanford her glass of champagne. “It was nice meeting you,” she says politely and stepping towards Justin.

“Yeah good to meet you,” Justin adds smiling triumphantly, his hand moving to rest on the small of her back as he leads her away.

“God thank you,” Charlotte says with a sigh, her shoulders slumping slightly. “I thought he was never going to shut up.”

Justin laughs but his brow furrows as she steps away from him. “Hey where you going?” he asks and she turns to look at him over her shoulder, his mouth going slightly dry as his eyes travel the exposed length of her spine. She looks at him perplexed when he doesn’t speak and he shakes his head. “Dance floor’s this way.”

Charlotte’s eyes widen and she stutters slightly, not exactly knowing what to say. She isn’t sure if dancing is a good idea but when he smiles at her and reaches for her hand she’s perilous to stop herself. His fingers wrap around hers and she gives him a shy smile as he leads her out onto the dance floor. A few couples sway slowly around them, as Justin tugs her arm around, pulling her gracefully in front of him and they both hesitate for a moment, Charlotte slightly unsure as to how this is supposed to work. Then he grins at her, his hand slipping around her waist and she gasps as he pulls her against him, his hand warm against the bare skin of her back. She’s staring at him, her lips parted slightly as he guides one of her arms around his neck, taking her other hand and holding it in his, pressing it against his chest. She smiles at him and he grins back, his hand settling more firmly against her skin. She shivers, goose bumps rising again and his head tilts to the side.

“You still cold?” he asks, fighting his own shiver as his hand smoothes warmly up and down her back and she’s momentarily unable to speak.

“Yes,” she spits out finally and he tugs her closer, their stomachs touching and Charlotte doesn’t know what to do.

She knows this is wrong. She shouldn’t let him hold her this way and she’s playing a very dangerous game in full view of all of New York’s high society but she almost feels at ease in the crowd. She knows that with this many people nothing can get too far out of hand. Not that Justin would allow for such a thing anyway, she thinks. So for this moment in time she allows herself to relax. She lets go of all of her hang-ups and fears and just enjoys the feel of him against her, his hand on her back and his breath fanning her face.

Justin is staring down at her, his eyes scanning her face and he wonders how he never noticed the little gold flecks in her eyes, the smoothness of her skin. How could he have seen her every day for the past four months and never realized how breathtakingly gorgeous she is. He looks at her and he remembers moments they’ve shared; that time on the driving range, lunch at Fred’s, in his tree house in Memphis and the full force of everything she is hits him. She really is perfect.

“So…this is a fun party,” she says awkwardly, her eyes flicking around and he realizes he’s just been staring and not speaking.

He blinks hard, trying to process her words and when he does he snorts. “This party is boring,” he says and Charlotte giggles. “Toga would have been so much more fun.”

“Ugh yes,” Charlotte responds with a sigh. “I feel ridiculous in this dress.”

She curls her shoulders self consciously, glancing down between them and Justin does the same, his tongue snaking out to lick his lips slowly. He knows he shouldn’t be looking, shouldn’t be feeling these things. He’s engaged – happily so, he tells himself – and Charlotte is just a sweet girl, a good friend. He tries not to think of how warm her skin is against his but he’s perilous to stop his mind from going to dark places where her back isn’t the only place he’s touching. He really shouldn’t be thinking this. But it’s his birthday, he tells himself. It’s like a free pass and it’s like Trace said, he’s not going to act on any of these feelings. But who could blame…

“I mean this thing probably costs more than my entire wardrobe,” Charlotte continues and he’s snapped back to the conversation at hand. “And that’s including the bag you two got me for Christmas.” She smirks and he chuckles.

“Don’t be silly,” Justin says with a scoff. “You rock that dress, Charlie. Own it.”

“I feel like I’m playing dress up,” she confesses softly and her honesty makes him smile. “Like I don’t really belong here.”

“Of course you do. You’re beautiful,” he says before he can stop himself and Charlotte’s breath catches at the sincerity of his words, her eyes crashing into his and she sees something there she can’t quite place but it’s gone in an instant, replaced with a mask. “Like…like Grace Kelly beautiful,” he says with a grin and Charlotte feels her cheeks burn.

“Oh stop.”

“Like…like Elizabeth Taylor beautiful,” he continues, grinning widely and enjoying the blush on her cheeks. “Like…like…” his breath comes out in a rush when she looks up at him again, smiling so hard and there’s that dimple he loves. “Like you.”

Charlotte is struck hard by his words, the sincerity in his voice causing it to lower and that sense of waiting is back, the pull towards him so strong she’s drowning in it. Justin smiles slightly, enjoying the stunned look on her face. He’s always amused at how shocked she is by compliments. He’s just about to open his mouth to say so when the camera flash blinds him and he growls.

“Michael!” he exclaims and he hears the man’s low chuckle.

“Sorry kid.” Justin hears him say and by the time his vision is back Michael is already across the room.

“Hey…” Charlotte says and Justin’s attention is turned back to her finding her face screwed up in contemplation, her head tilted to the side.

Justin looks at her perplexed before the melody of the song that’s playing catches his ear and he groans, his head whipping towards the stage. His eyes meet Antunes’ who gives him an apologetic smile, gesturing to a piece of paper on his keyboard. Justin grits his teeth. Amelia.

“Amelia’s testing out wedding songs,” Justin grits out with a groan.

Charlotte blinks at him. “’In Your Eyes’ is going to be your wedding song?”

“Not if I have anything to do with it,” Justin spats looking extremely appalled and Charlotte laughs. Justin smiles at the sound and before he can stop himself he asks, “What song would you have be your first dance at your wedding?”

Charlotte blinks at him caught off guard by his question. “Oh I dunno,” she says, looking down at his chest, her fingers wiggling nervously in his and he smiles.

“Come on, you do too know. All you girls have your little plans,” he teases, giving her hand a squeeze and she gives him a rueful smile.

“Well…” she says and then sighs, her breath rushing out against his neck and it’s his turn to shiver. “I always really liked ‘Lets Stay Together’”

Justin’s eyes widen, his mouth falling open. “Shut up I love that song!” he exclaims and Charlotte giggles at his enthusiasm. “I wanted that song but Amelia vetoed it.” He scowls and Charlotte laughs.

“What have we said about letting Amelia do that,” Charlotte teases and he sighs.

“I know, I know,” he says rolling his eyes. “I’m working on it.”

“We need more Business Meeting Justin,” Charlotte says invoking their little joke and Justin laughs. “I like him.”

“He likes you too,” Justin responds before he can stop himself and they each look away, a slight awkwardness settling between them.

“Well…um… I can’t really have that song now anyway,” Justin says, trying to swing them back into neutral territory. “You claimed it.”

“I did claim it. It’s mine,” Charlotte says jumping on his joke. “And I don’t share.”

“Oh is that so? Well I’ll just buy the rights,” Justin deadpans and Charlotte narrows her eyes.

“I’ll book you on a flight to Figi first thing in the morning. You’ll never have time,” she counters and Justin let’s his head fall back in a laugh.

“Figi is rather nice this time of year,” Justin concedes and Charlotte laughs before pursing her lips at him.

“You know this would be funnier if we couldn’t actually do all these things.”

Justin laughs. “Yeah, what a strange life we lead.”

Charlotte smiles at him, stealing his breath again and he is slightly aware of the song coming to an end and the slight smattering of applause that starts. His daze is broken as Charlotte steps back from him, her hand pulling from his and his fingertips slide across her spine as she pulls away.

“Thanks for the dance,” she says when he doesn’t say anything and she shifts, reaching up to cross her arm over her chest again. “Um…I think it’s time for your cake.”

“Oh…right,” Justin says, looking around and seeing people gathering near the stage. “Yeah, thanks for the dance.”

His hand reaches out, fingers curling around her bicep and it feels like second nature as he is leaning down. The only thing that stops his lips from pressing to hers is the slight gasp she emits, her body tensing in front of his and he realizes what he’s doing, his lips a breath away from hers. His body tenses, his eyes meeting hers and he can smell the sweetness of her breath, the unnatural perfume of the makeup covering her skin but over it all he smells the clean mint of her hair. She lets out a shaky breath and it jars him from his thoughts, his eyes finally seeing hers, wide and unsure and he tilts his head, lips pressing to her cheek instead, her skin smooth under his lips.

Charlotte’s cheeks burn, her entire body trembling slightly and her heart feels as if it could beat out of her chest. Her fingers curl around his biceps as his lips linger against her cheek, her skin on fire where he’d kissed her. He pulls back slowly and he’s not smiling, his eyes deep and blue and she wants nothing more than to wrap her arms around his neck and press her mouth to his, fisting her fingers in his hair.

“Alright!” Justin hears Antunes exclaim into the microphone but he sounds a million miles away. “Where’s the birthday boy?”

Justin cringes slightly, his head whipping to the stage, scowling at his old friend who laughs. He turns to make a snide remark to Charlotte but she’s no longer there, working her way through the crowd and away from him, the silk of her dress shimmering like pearls in the shadows. Justin doesn’t have time to think as they call him up to the stage. He has a show to do. He puts on a good-natured smile, jogging up to stage and jumping onto it in one lithe movement.

“Still got it!” he grins cheekily, adjusting his tie like the true showman he is and the crowd laughs.

“Alright everyone let’s hear it!” Antunes exclaims and the crowd joins in as he starts a chorus of “Happy Birthday”

Justin smiles, slightly embarrassed but it turns to shock as he sees what looks like a giant fireball being carried towards him by two men in white suits. It is the biggest cake he has ever seen. It’s at least three feet tall, five layers of white frosting with black scrollwork stenciled around it but all of this is overshadowed by the hundreds of little candles burning brightly on each tier.

Indignation swells in him, anger and hurt boiling almost to the breaking point but he just smiles, forcing out a laugh as the monstrosity is set in front of him and cheers erupt as the crowd finishes the song. Calls of “Make a wish!” and “Blow em out!” reach his ears and he steels himself taking a deep breath, wishing that he was anywhere else but here.

He doesn’t even come close to blowing them all out and gives up after a few tries, laughing in what he hopes is a good natured way as the crowd eggs him on to continue. He waves a hand, patting Antunes on the back but ignoring the searching look his old friend gives him as he hops off the stage, working his way into the crowd.

He has to find Amelia. He’s going to tell her that she can’t keep doing this. That she’s acting like a child. That if she cares about him at all she’ll listen to him. Really listen, not just pretend to. How could he have been so blind before?

She thought he was joking. She must have, that’s the only reason he could see for blatantly ignoring his wishes. Sure it was just something stupid like candles but he had said it was important. He had told her numerous times, explained to her that it embarrassed him, made him feel old. This isn’t about him getting his way. This is about him needing her to realize that she hurt him. He knows that if he can just tell her that, she’ll apologize and try to make it right. She loves him and would never want to hurt him. This is all a big misunderstanding.

He’s made his way to the back of the room and is walking the circumference around the tables, searching for Amelia’s golden blond head. He spots her just to the right of the stage, standing next to her mother, both their backs to him as they lean their heads together in conference. He takes a deep breath, steeling himself as he walks towards them, their voices becoming clearer as he steps closer.

“…sorry about the food. Justin insisted on it.” Amelia says with a sigh and he stops in his tracks, his brow creasing. “And he wonders why I don’t let him pick anything for the wedding.”

“Yes, I met his little friend,” Molly sniffs, distaste ringing in her voice. “It seems you can take the boy out of the trailer park…”

Justin’s fist ball at his sides as Molly’s voice trails, her implication burning him to the core and he waits for Amelia to say something, anything but she just laughs. She actually laughs. He knows she’s not very fond of Trace but she knows that he’s Justin’s best friend. That should be enough for her to counter something so nasty even if it is from her own mother.

“You really need to be more firm with him darling,” Molly continues and Amelia sighs.

“Well I’m trying Mother!” she exclaims exasperated and then crosses her arms over her chest. “He insisted that I never listened to him so I had to give him something.” Justin’s jaw drops. “And I figured it was better this than the wedding.”

“Well you’re right there,” Molly concedes, sipping her champagne and Amelia scoffs.

Justin listens in slack-jawed disbelief. They’re speaking about him as if he were a child, someone who needs to be watched and taken care of, someone who isn’t allowed to make decisions. Do they think so little of him? Surely this is all Molly’s influence. Amelia wouldn’t speak of him that way. She loves him and supports him. She’s just giving in to her mother’s persuasion and letting off some steam. Or so he thinks until she opens her mouth to speak again.

“Well I thought so too but now he wants to start recording again. Can you even imagine?” Amelia says and the disbelieving chuckle she emits cuts right to Justin’s heart. “I mean he’s thirty for crissake.”

“Be careful with that Amelia,” Molly chides and he hears his fiancé sigh. “He’s got a lot of talent. He very well may resurrect his career.”

Justin smiles despite himself. Who would have ever thought his future mother-in-law would give him such a compliment, never mind that it was backhanded. But it wipes off his face as Amelia laughs.

“Oh don’t even worry about it,” Amelia says and he can hear the meanness in her voice. “I’ve heard what he’s been working on. It’s nothing. He’s nowhere near the musician he used to be. His voice is weak. His melodies are trite and uninspired. There’s no way he’d make it. He doesn’t have it in him anymore.”

Justin is awestruck, dumbfounded and a million other adjectives that couldn’t possibly describe the way he’s feeling right now. He looks around helplessly as if someone could save him from the jagged tear that is ripping its way into his heart. She doesn’t think he has it anymore? The one person in his life who is supposed to be behind him every step of the way, who’s supposed to support him and believe in him thinks he’s washed up and his career is over. Anger burns in him like an out of control blaze but it is weak in comparison to the hurt. His heart is breaking along a fissure that’s been mended one too many times before and he feels like this one goes deep down. Deeper than all the petty bullshit from before, deeper than the absent hums when she pretends she’s listening to him, deeper than the three months it’s been since they’ve made love. This one hits to his very soul, the very core of him. How can she love him and think this of him?

He shakes his head, turning slowly, his legs feeling heavy and cumbersome and he doesn’t want to believe it, doesn’t even want to think it right now. He’ll talk to her about the candles later. Or maybe he won’t. He doesn’t really care anymore as he makes a beeline for the bar.

Chapter 18 pt 3 by SomethingBlue42

“Excuse me, have you seen Justin?”

Charlotte has been asking this question for the past twenty minutes or so and she’s starting to worry. It’s been nearly an hour and a half since the cake disaster and she had wanted to find him, ask him if he was okay but Amelia had insisted that she stand by and make sure the people cutting the cake didn’t make a royal mess of things.

Charlotte weaves her way around, searching for that tell-tale curly head but she finds him nowhere. Where could he have gotten off to? Her throat contracts as she remembers seeing Patti earlier, her little black dress almost as short as Amelia’s and she shakes her head. She hopes that Justin isn’t stupid enough to do something like that with Amelia so close by. But her thoughts are cut short when she catches sight of Trace slipping out of a backroom near the left side of the stage.

“Trace!” she calls and he looks up at her bewildered, like a deer caught in the headlights. “Have you seen Justin?” she asks as she weaves her way toward him. “It’s almost time for his speech.”

“Um…yeah,” Trace says, shifting his feet uncomfortably. “About that…I’m thinking we should cancel that.”

Charlotte’s eyes narrow at him as she takes in his hazy eyes and notices how stiff his body is, making a consorted effort to stay upright. His tie is missing and his jacket is rumpled.

“Trace are you…are you drunk?” Charlotte asks in heated whisper and Trace chuckles slightly.

“Well by comparison no,” he replies with chuckle and Charlotte looks at him confused. “Look, Justin is not fit for public speaking right now okay. Something happened and-”

“Dude!!! Where the fuck – Oh  HEEEEEEEY CHARLIE!!!!”

Trace cringes and Charlotte’s jaw drops as she sees Justin stumble out the doors leading to the back room. His suit jacket is gone, his white dress shirt wrinkled beyond repair, the top two buttons open and his bowtie hangs undone and lopsided around his neck. His eyes are half lidded, a drunken grin pulling at his lips and he stumbles forward again, and it’s then that Charlotte notices the glass of amber liquid in his hand.

Charlotte rushes to his side as she watches him teeter slightly, not even wanting to know what kind of scene it would cause if he toppled over. She’s very aware of the eyes that are already on them. He grins at her, his arm curling around her shoulders as he leans heavily into her.

“Justin, oh my god,” Charlotte breathes at a loss for words and he just grins at her.

“You look ver’ pretty, Charlie,” he says grinning at her, his hand coming up to run his fingers roughly over her cheek. “Ver’ pretty…”

“Trace!” Charlotte hisses and he looks at her bewildered. “How could you let him do this! Amelia is going to kill him.”

“Hey!” Trace says, his voice slightly indignant. “If your best friend wants to get drunk on his birthday you don’t try and stop him!”

“Tha’s right,” Justin says nodding authoritatively, his arm slipping from around Charlotte’s neck to stand on his own, teetering perilously as he points at his friend. “An’ hey is’snot my birthday yet. I’m twe-ny-nine for two more days,” he slurs holding up two fingers and stumbling over his own feet.

“God what are we going to do!” Charlotte mutters, her mind working furiously.

“Charlotte calm down,” Trace says placing a hand on Justin’s shoulder, trying to steer him towards the backroom. “We’ll just put him back here for awhile.”

“He’s supposed to be giving a speech right now!” Charlotte exclaims heatedly, panic rolling through her. “Amelia is asking where he is!”

“You know I’m sick of hearing about her,” Trace says, his hand falling from Justin’s shoulder to point out into the crowd. “It’ll serve her right. Justin didn’t even want this stupid party.”

“Trace I know okay. I know but you don’t understand,” she pleads clasping her hands together. “This isn’t about Amelia this is about Justin. If she sees him like this there is no telling what kind of hell she’s gonna rain on him when he’s sober again.”

Trace blinks at her slowly, taking in the concern on her face, the desperation in her eyes. He grins. “You really are in love with him aren’t you?”

Charlotte sighs, her hands falling to her sides in exasperation. “That’s not important right now. What’s important is...” she trails as she looks to the side and doesn’t find Justin standing there. “Where’s Justin?”

“HEEEEEEEEEEEEY PARTY PEOPLE!!!!!”

Charlotte and Trace’s eyes both widen and Charlotte doesn’t want to turn around. She can’t bear to face it. A slight hush has gone over the crowd and she can hear Justin’s low throaty laugh amplified through the speakers.

“Oh this is not good,” Trace says and Charlotte finally gives in, turning and her eyes widen to find Justin standing on the stage, the band looking at him amusedly as he drags the mic stand to the middle.

“How’s e’erybody feelin’ tonight?” he asks, adjusting the mic stand for his height and crowd titters slightly a few people hollering and whistling amusedly. “Well as you know, it’s mah berfday. Sort of… I mean it’s really on Monday but you know…” he rambles and waves his hand dismissively.

“I am so screwed,” Charlotte says feebly, her voice small and defeated.

“Oh I dunno, he’s doing oka-” Trace begins but his words halt when he sees Amelia barreling toward them. “Erm…”

“Charlotte what is going on?” she asks in a heated whisper and Charlotte is struck dumb by the fire in Amelia’s eyes, her fists balled at her sides.

“Um…”

“You wanted him to give a speech, Roxie he’s givin it!” Trace says with a chuckle and Charlotte looks at him confused but Amelia seethes, looking as if she could punch him in the mouth.

“Don’t call me that!” she spits, the venom in her voice sending chills down Charlotte’s spine and she trembles as Amelia turns to her. “How could you let this happen?” Amelia exclaims and it amazes Charlotte that she can still give the effect of yelling in a whisper. Amelia’s gaze fall on Trace again and hatred smolders in her blue eyes. “This is all your fault.”

“An’ I jus’ wan’ed to thank everyone for comin’ out,” Justin slurs slowly, his eyes sweeping across the room as he fumbles with the cuffs of his shirt, rolling his sleeves back. “Bu’ I ‘specially wanted to thank my girl, ‘melia,” he says, his eyes falling on Amelia and she immediately straightens as everyone turns to look at her, plastering a serene smile on her face, “for putting this together for me even though all I really wanted was a keg and some Togas” The crowd chuckles nervously as he raises his drink to her. “Thanks baby,” he slurs before tossing back the rest of his drink and Charlotte can practically hear Amelia’s teeth grinding. “You know…” Justin trails and he looks back at the band, a smirk pulling at his lips as he sets his glass on the keyboard. “I don’t know if you all know this…but…Amelia…is’snot Amelia’s real name…”

“Oh. My. God.” Trace chuckles disbelievingly and Charlotte looks at him perplexed before looking at Amelia who is standing stock still, her blue eyes wide.

“Is it baby?” Justin asks, smirking at her from on stage.

Somewhere in the back of his drunken mind he knows this is a terrible idea but right now, in this moment, he doesn’t care. This is for every time she berated him in front of her friends, for every time she picked apart what he was wearing and then forced him to change his clothes, for every time she stomped out of a restaurant leaving him to apologize for her behavior. She deserves this.

“She was named after a song,” he continues, reaching back to tap the side of the keyboard and Antunes looks at him skeptically. Justin merely nods.

“Justin,” Amelia mutters through clenched teeth and Charlotte watches her chest heave, her knuckles turning white from how tightly she’s clenching her fists. “Don’t…you…dare…”

“ROOOOOOOOOOOOXANNE!!!!!!!!!!” Justin wails and the band kicks in behind him, the electric guitar plucking out the notes and Justin feels free as the crowd cheers.

He sings like he hasn’t sang in years, his voice soaring like he always remembered it did, shimmying across the stage. This is for every melody that came and went from his head without being written, this is for every beat of his heart that he wanted to make into a cadence, this is for all the mindless hours in the office when all he wanted to do was be on stage. This is his revolution and the hum of the crowd is enough to sustain him for a lifetime.

Charlotte watches him in awe, wondering how as drunk as he is he can still move like that. His body flows like water, his shoulders shimmying, his hips rolling and his voice, god his voice. He doesn’t miss a beat, doesn’t miss a single note and it seems that performing is so engrained in him that even drunk off his ass he can still dazzle a crowd, even a stuffy uptight one like those present.

But Charlotte’s elation soon turns to dread as she feels the billowing sleeves of Amelia’s dress brush her arm and she watches her stalk away from them, making her way to the back of the room and out the door, into the January night. Her eyes turn back to the stage where Justin is just finishing up the song and she applauds with the rest of the crowd as his performances ends, enjoying the elation on his face. Let him have tonight. Because she knows that tomorrow is going to be hell.


Chapter 18 pt 4 by SomethingBlue42
Author's Notes:

Sorry this one took longer than expected. Last week was Midterms *headdesk* Yay for not planning ahead lol Happy reading!!

 

 

It’s slightly disconcerting to Charlotte when she steps into Justin’s office Monday morning and is greeted by nothing but silence. Usually music is wafting out his open office door or Felicity is chattering away on the phone.

But not today.

Justin’s door is closed and the sunny reception area is deceiving for the feeling in the air is that of a dreary melancholy. Charlotte shivers as she closes the door softly and Felicity looks away from her computer pulling out her earbuds and giving Charlotte a sober smile.

“Hey,” Charlotte whispers though she’s not really sure why, her eyes flicking to Justin’s closed door. “Is he in?”

Felicity nods, reaching for the phone and Charlotte raises her eyebrows. Usually Fee just leans back in her chair and hollers for him, telling him who’s here but her voice is cool and calm as she speaks softly into the receiver.

“Justin, Charlotte’s here to see you,” she says and then nods, pulling the receiver from her mouth. “What’s it regarding?”

Charlotte’s jaw goes slightly slack, a feeling of hurt washing over her and her fingers curl around the items in her hands. “Um…I just wanted to give him something,” she says softly and Felicity nods.

“Justin…she just wants to give you something,” Felicity says and as she watches Charlotte fiddle with the string on the box she’s holing she adds. “I’m gonna go ahead and send her back.” Felicity hangs up the phone and smiles warmly at Charlotte who eyes the door apprehensively, not entirely sure how to proceed.

“Is he…?” she trails not knowing exactly what she was going to ask.

“He’s been here all weekend,” Felicity breathes and her eyes shine like she’s been waiting to tell this to someone all morning. “Amelia was here when I got in.” Felicity’s cheeks puff with air and she lets it out slowly. “I’ve never heard anyone yell like that. Not even Amelia.”

“Justin yelled at her?” Charlotte asks in disbelief, eyeing his door again and Felicity’s head bobs enthusiastically.

Charlotte had wondered why Amelia had been unusually quiet this morning. She figured that after the weekend’s events her boss would be a monster, unable to be pleased and yelling at the smallest of offenses. Well…Amelia always did that but Charlotte figured it would be more intense given the disaster of Justin’s birthday party. But she was pleasantly surprised to walk into the office this morning and find Kirsten deflecting calls with a cool, “I’m sorry Miss Domineck is in a meeting. May I take a message?” Isabel and Lauren were whispering conspiratorially across their desks but their sentences trailed when their eyes fell on Charlotte, regarding her coolly. Amelia’s office door had been closed and remained so all morning until she breezed out of the office for lunch with nary a goodbye which was strange to Charlotte. So often she had bared the brunt of Amelia’s displeasure with Justin but never before had Charlotte seen Amelia like this.

“I didn’t hear much but I was around long enough to hear him ask her if she loved him at all. Talk about intense. Those two,” she sighs shaking her head. “They are so Ryan and Marissa.”

“Who?” Charlotte asks and Felicity blinks at her.

“The O.C. Hello Charlotte,” she says rolling her eyes as if Charlotte were stupid. “You need to watch more TV.”

“I’ll jump right on that,” Charlotte replies dryly as she reaches for the door handle and takes a deep breath before pushing it open.

The only sound in the room is the hum of the heater and it’s almost eerie in here without the soft warble of the radio in the background. The curtains are wide open, sunlight flooding the room, warming the dark wood floor as if trying to coax the gloom from the air. Charlotte pulls the door closed behind her, her heart beating hard against her ribcage as she takes in the sight of him sitting behind his desk, his head bowed, reading the papers in front of him. His face is covered in two days growth of beard, his hair disheveled and messy. He’s wearing a soft gray t-shirt that looks like it’s been slept in and her heart nearly breaks as he looks up at her, the sadness in his eyes evident through the smile he forces.

“Hey,” he says, the strained joviality in his voice foreign to her but she smiles back nonetheless. If he wants to play this game she’ll play along.

“Hey,” she replies and watches him lean back in his chair, pushing his chest out as he stretches his back, wincing slightly. “Rough night?”

The words slip out before she really processes them and her entire body tenses as he blinks at her. Damn her stupid mouth. But much to her relief he lets out a snort of a laugh, raising his arms above his head.

“Rough weekend,” he replies and she shifts awkwardly, her fingers pressing into the white box she holds. “Felicity fill you in?” he asks, his breath coming out in a sigh as he drops his arms back down, shifting some papers across his desk and Charlotte doesn’t miss the edge in his voice.

“No,” she says slowly, taking a few steps into the office wondering how she is supposed to respond.  Did he want her to ask? “She left when she heard the…” she trails and Justin looks up at her again, waiting for her to continue, “yelling.”

Justin chuckles but there’s no humor in it and Charlotte cringes at the sound. “She missed a good show.”

“Justin-”

“Do you have time to sit?” he asks, cutting her off and she stares at him for a beat before nodding, moving to sit in the chair across from him. “How’s your morning been?”

Charlotte eyes him slowly. “Quiet,” she says after a moment and he nods, his face a mask.

She can’t help but feel like she does when she’s with Amelia, that feeling of walking on eggshells of not knowing what would be the wrong thing to say. She watches him for a moment, trying to get a sense of his mood but all she gets is outward pleasantness with a tense undercurrent that prickles her skin.

“She stayed in her office all morning?” Justin asks and Charlotte notices the hardness of his eyes when he refers to her, the little twitch of his shoulder as he shifts in his seat but his face does not change.

“Yes,” Charlotte replies simply and he gives an almost imperceptible nod of his head, looking down at his hands in his lap. “Is…are you…um…”

She trails not really knowing what to say and Justin looks up at her, his eyes dancing slightly as he laughs, the sound bitter even though he tries to mask it.

“Am I okay?” he asks and Charlotte looks down at the objects in her hands. “Yeah, I guess so.”

“You don’t seem okay,” Charlotte says softly, not daring to look up at him and she hears him sigh.

She glances up and finds him leaning back in his chair, his head tipped back, the long column of his neck exposed as he pinches the bridge of his nose. He lets his arms fall, heaving another sigh as his head tips forward again and the façade falls, his eyes tired and wounded, his mouth twitching into a sad smile.

“I told her it was over.”

Charlotte’s breath catches in her throat and the items in her lap nearly tumble to the ground with shock. She stares at him slack jawed, taking in the lines on his forehead, the bags under his eyes. He draws his bottom lip between his teeth and bites down hard as another humorless laugh threatens to escape him, leaning back and swiveling back and forth in his chair.

“I. Told her. That… it was over,” he says it again as if trying to convince himself he’d actually done it and Charlotte just blinks at him, not knowing what to say.

“Justin-”

“After what she had said at the party I thought…I thought…God how could I have gotten this far in?” he looks up at her and he looks utterly baffled. “How could I have let it get this far and her think so less of me?”

“I don’t under-”

“She thinks I’m washed up Charlie,” he says, his voice low and the anger behind his words silences her instantly. “She…she doesn’t think I have what it takes anymore to…she thinks my voice is…that my melodies are…” he can’t even finish, letting out a low growl, shaking his head as if to shake the thoughts from his mind. “I can’t be with someone like that.”

“So you-”

“And then she came here,” Justin says as if not even hearing her, watching his hands smooth along the top of his desk and his voice loses it’s edge, goes soft and almost trembles. “She came here and she started to yell,” he looks up at Charlotte, his eyes wide. “And I yelled back! I asked her how she could be this way? I asked her who the hell she thought she was!” His voice raises and Charlotte cringes slightly but he takes deep breath composing himself before he continues. “and then I asked her if she loved me at all.”

There’s a long pause then and the room is so quiet she can hear him breathing, hear the ragged push and pull of air entering and leaving his lungs along with the hammering of her heart against her ribcage. He’s not looking at her, just watching his hands as they smooth back and forth over the top of his desk and Charlotte is holding the box in her hands so tight she fears she may crush it.

“And she started to cry,” Justin says, his voice a dry rasp, sounding almost on the edge of tears himself and Charlotte’s heart aches, tightening and wringing in her chest. “And… and…I…I just…”

“What?” Charlotte asks finally, the anticipation of his words making her antsy and she can feel the blush creeping up her neck as he ducks his head low, seeming to cringe.

“And I…” he sighs, his head falling back as his eyes close in shame. “And I couldn’t do it. I couldn’t do that to her.”

Charlotte’s mouth falls open and the small glimmer of hope snuffs itself out and a deep pain rips through her chest. It was right there, so close. He was right there and he fell back in and she’s never felt that he was farther away from her than he is right now. She wants to reach across the desk and strangle him, shake him until he understands. She wants to yell and rant but she just sits there, holding the items in her hands, fearing that any movement at all will cause her to send them sailing at his head.

“You understand right?” he asks looking at her, his blue eyes pleading. “You get why I can’t leave her right?”

There’s a desperation in his voice and he senses it, feels it as the words leave his lips. He needs her to understand. He needs her to understand because he barely understands himself. Her face is blank, whether from the shock of him saying he’d actually tried to leave Amelia or from him saying he caved he’s not sure.  She’s looking at him so unbelievingly and he feels there’s so much going on in her head that he can’t read her.

“I don’t…” she trails and then she looks down at the white box in her lap, her fingers curled tightly around the edges and he sees the clear beveled edges of CD cases underneath it. What are those for? “I don’t quite understand. I’m sorry.”

His brows knit and he sighs, looking down at the desk so it shocks him when he hears the edge in Charlotte’s voice.

“I don’t understand how you can continue to let her hurt you.” She says and he looks up, finding her eyes ablaze with anger. “I don’t understand how you can just sit there and take it Justin!” her voice is soft but her words are loud, they echo in his head, bouncing off the walls of his skull and he doesn’t understand it either. He wishes he did. Charlotte’s face softens as do her eyes as she continues. “Do you think you don’t deserve better?”

Her voice is barely above a whisper, her heart thudding hard in her chest and everything she wants to say is right on the tip of her tongue but the desperation in his eyes keeps it at bay.

“You didn’t see her this morning Charlie,” he says as he shakes his head. “You didn’t see how upset she was.”

“And how was this any different from before?” Charlotte spats and Justin’s eyes widen at the venom in her voice and he watches her duck her head, her cheeks pinkening at her outburst. “I’m sorry. It’s none of my-”

“I made a commitment, Charlotte,” he says with a sigh and Charlotte cringes at the use of her full name and the defeated look on his face. “I asked her to marry me and she said yes and I love her,” he sighs shrugging his shoulders. “I love her and sometimes you don’t always understand why you love someone but I do. And she loves me. I thought for a while she didn’t,” he pauses swallowing hard as if the words physically hurt him to say them. “But she really does.” he says and she looks up eyeing him skeptically even though he can tell she’s trying not to judge. “You didn’t see her face, Charlie. It’s different this time. I swear it’s different.”

She bites her lip forcing back her questions and admonitions. It’s his life. As much as she wishes she were a bigger part of it she’s not. She’s just an assistant, not even his and if he wants to spend his life under Amelia’s thumb it’s none of her business. But she can’t help the little fissure that has worked it’s way across her heart that aches for him every time he gives her that smile that doesn’t quite reach his eyes.

“What do you have there?” He nods his head at the contents in her lap and she looks down, finally uncurling her fingers from the box.

“Oh just something for your birthday,” she says and her heart flutters as his face lights up.

“For me?” he asks genuinely excited as he eyes the white box and the cases beneath it. “What CDs did you get me?”

Charlotte’s eyes widen as she looks down and sees the bottom edges of the cases poking out from under the box. She blushes deeply, trying to situate the box more firmly over them.

“Oh actually these are mine,” she says and he chuckles a little at her embarrassment as she tucks her dark hair behind her ear. “I just kind of…um…”

She trails biting her lip slightly, finally seeming to give in and slipping the cases out from under the box, the sound of plastic rubbing against plastic echoing in his brain and he’s brought back to the earlier days of his career when he would sit and sign CDs for hours, and the sound of the cases rubbing together would be deafening, the girls in the lines juggling multiple discs from hand to hand in anticipation.

“I just…I wanted you to sign these,” she says, her voice small as she holds them out to him and his face registers slight shock, his hands trembling as he reaches for them.

He looks down at them blinkingly, staring at himself at age twenty-two and then at twenty-five and he can’t help but feel he’s holding his life in his hands. These songs, these twenty or so tracks catalog his hopes, his fears, his heartbreaks and his courage. He’s not the same person that put out these records all those years ago and his throat constricts when he realizes he’ll never be that person again. He had thought maybe…just maybe… but the past weekend’s events proved to him that it could never be done. No, he is stuck in this life, for better or for worse.

“I bought them yesterday,” Charlotte says breaking his train of thought and he looks up, a small smile pulling at his lips. “I’ve been listening to them non-stop ever since. I…I really like them.”

“Really?” he asks, his heart warming slightly and he’d almost forgotten how good it felt to have someone tell him they liked his music. “What was your favorite track?”

“Oh gosh,” she says, letting her breath out in a rush and he smiles at the contemplative look on her face as she leans back in her chair. “I don’t know. I don’t think I can pick.”

“Come on,” he says, grinning, flipping the cases over and looking at the track listing along the back even though he’d never be able to forget them. “One from each.”

Charlotte bites her bottom lip in thought and he feels a strange pull in his stomach, his mouth going slightly dry as he watches her chew on it slowly. His mind wanders, as do his eyes, trailing down the long column of her neck, over the small bumps of her breasts under her sweater. Her compass necklace shimmers in the sunlight like a beacon and he can’t help but imagine the contrast of the cool metal against the warmth of her skin. He can feel a stirring in his groin and he immediately looks at his hands. Sex isn’t something he’s been getting a lot of lately. He’d been hoping that after his party-

His mind snaps away from that train of thought and his body jerks slightly from the effort to pull his mind away. But it only succeeds in turning to the way Charlotte is letting her lip slide slowly free from her teeth unthinkingly and he glances away trying to think of something as non-sexual as possible. Like state capitols. Tennessee…Nashville.

“I think I like ‘Nothin’ Else’ from the first one aaaaaaand,” Charlotte trails and his eyes are drawn to her again as she takes another deep breath and lets it out in a sigh, Justin’s stomach tightening as he watches her chest heave. New York…Albany. “SexyBack on the second one.”

Justin’s mind jars and he narrows his eyes at her for a moment, taking in the smoothness of her face, expressionless and aloof. He rolls his eyes. “SexyBack is not your favorite you liar,” he teases and she gives him a cheeky grin.

“Okay you’re right I was kidding,” Charlotte says with a sigh, happy that the conversation has taken a lighter tone. “It’s ‘Pose’” Charlotte says and Justin narrows his eyes at her playfully.

He takes in the small triumphant smile pulling at her lips and sighs, marveling at how she is able get him out of his own head and just enjoy the little moments. How she could make him feel good, just good. He shakes his head, pulling open his desk drawer and plucks out a Sharpie, pulling the CD booklet out from one of the cases. He eyes her as he uncaps the marker and presses it to the front of the booklet.

“To Charlie,” he dictates as he writes, ignoring the playful roll of her eyes at the nickname. “The biggest smart ass I know.’ Little heart. Justin.”

“You actually wrote ‘Little heart’?” Charlotte asks, craning her neck and leaning forward to try and get a better look at what he was writing. He looks up then, fully prepared to say something snarky but his eyes are drawn down her neck again and how had he never noticed how smooth her skin was, the gentle slope of her neck to her shoulder. Delaware…Dover.

“No I drew one,” he replies back, clearing his throat as he slides the booklet back in the case and nudges it out of the way reaching for the other. “Now for this one. How do you spell Lie-y McLie-face?”

“Oh,” Charlotte says leaning towards him. “That would be J-u-s-t-i-n,” she spells and he laughs before signing with a flourish, the sound bringing a smile to her face.

“Here,” he says, handing them back to her and he fights the shiver as his fingers brush over hers. Florida…Tallahassee.

Charlotte grins, taking the CDs back from him and examining his untidy scrawl. She’d seen his signature a million times, seen the goofy post-its he left for himself and Felicity all over the office. “Fee – The coffee pot doesn’t make hot chocolate. – J.T.” “Note to Self: Take your Ginko so you don’t need to write notes to yourself.” “Charlie – I saw that – J” But nothing quite compares to seeing the little message written over his name encased behind the plastic window. She understands that the man in front of her is the same person that sings these tracks that she’s growing to love. She knows this, she’s heard him sing but there’s something in her that can’t really wrap her head around it. He’s just Justin to her. The idea of him being a platinum selling artist seems so foreign yet not at the same time. She needs to stop before she gives herself a headache. Again.

“So what’s with the sudden interest in my music?” he asks and Charlotte’s head snaps up, his words breaking her train of thought.

If she was honest she’d say that she’d lain awake in her bed after the party, watching the city lights dance in through her window playing patterns across her dress that hung on the back of her closet door as she remembered the sound of his voice. She’d tell him that she’d listened to “Roxanne” a few times on Sunday morning before becoming disgusted with Sting’s vocals and braved the bitter chill to trek the four blocks over to Broadway to buy his CDs. She’d listened to every song sitting cross-legged in front of her stereo and marveled at the sound of his voice, the little inflections and the tone and how she could hear his smile or feel his pain reverberate though the speakers.

“I just…saw it in the store,” she lies briskly and Justin chuckles.

“You know you get this pained look on your face when you lie,” he says, his voice slightly teasing and she sighs, leaning back in her chair. He could always see right through her.

“You…you put on a good show…the other night….” she starts, her eyes trained on her lap as she fingers the hem of her skirt slowly and she can practically feel him tense.

“Yeah…” he says trailing and then coughing out a humorless laugh. “I really fucked up that one huh?”

Charlotte chances a look up at him and finds his face pensive again, the light behind his eyes snuffed out by a melancholy that seems to suck all the air from the room. Seeing him so deeply unhappy is disconcerting, his usual buoyancy snuffed out and the sadness permeates everything.

 “I actually thought it was brilliant,” she says and she smiles as she watches the blush crawl up his neck.

“I know a few people who weren’t pleased,” Justin says and Charlotte waves a hand dismissively.

“She’ll get over it,” Charlotte breezes and they both avoid each other’s eyes so as not to see the knowing look that contradicts her statement.

“I dunno…” he trails and Charlotte sighs.

“It’s fine Justin,” she urges and she steels herself for what she’s going to say next. “She showed up this morning. She’s here. She wants to make it work. If she didn’t then she wouldn’t have come. So stop beating yourself up.” He looks up at her and a sad smile twitches at his lips but his eyes have lost their luster. Charlotte sighs. “You know being happy doesn’t mean that everything is perfect,” she says and his eyes narrow at her slightly, questioning and she lifts an eyebrow in response, proving to him that she isn’t the only one who can be easily read. “Being happy is just deciding to say ‘screw you’ and live your life despite everything that gets messed up along the way. So be happy!” She pauses, watching him look down at his desk and nod. “Because life sucks and you’re doing just fine.”

He chuckles, looking up at her again finally and he blinks slowly, giving her a slight dip of his head which she returns. They’re quiet for a moment, just looking at each other and that sense of waiting is back, his eyes traveling over the soft slant of her nose, the fullness of her lips as she takes in the stubble on his cheek and the soft pinkness of his mouth. The pull towards him is so strong she feels she’s drowning in it and he’s thankful for the desk between them because he doesn’t know what he would do if it wasn’t there. Visions of clothes falling to the floor and hands against burning flesh sear through his mind and he forces his gaze down. AtlantaGeorgiaSacrementoCaliforniaCarsonCityNevada

“So my birthday present was me signing CDs for you,” he finally says, his voice thin as he tries to push them into neutral territory. “How thoughtful.”

Charlotte lets out a nervous chuckle, thankful for the distraction. “Actually no,” she says reaching out and placing the small white box on his desk. “And it’s not exactly a present. Just…something for your birthday.” She nudges the box towards him.

He eyes her suspiciously as he pulls the box toward him and pulls out the small folds on the sides. He opens the box and is assailed with the scent of sugar and cream, the small cupcake sitting inside exuding the heady aroma and he smiles. He reaches in plucking it out and examining it. Chocolate cake with blue and white butter cream frosting swirled on top. His favorite.

“Now…” Charlotte says and he looks up, finding her standing and digging into her pocket. “I have a candle here – just one - ” she holds her hands up in front of her, a single tiny blue and white candle in one hand and a little Bic lighter in the other. “Just so you can get your wish. But if you don’t want it I’ll put it away.”

Justin laughs, the sound bubbling from his throat and he can’t really stop it, amused by the caution in her voice and the innocence on her face. He grins widely at her, heaving a sigh.

“Well I guess I can handle one,” he says grudgingly but can’t keep a straight face. “But only so I can get my wish.” He points at her and she holds her hands up a little higher, smiling at his antics.

She steps closer and he moves the box out of the way, setting the little cupcake on his desk as she leans over to push the candle into the icing. His eyes are drawn down her chest, her necklace hanging like a pendulum from her neck and her sweater falls just slightly away from her body giving him a little peak of her bra, black satin standing out against the creamy whiteness of the top of her breasts. JunoAlaskaKansasCityMissouriLansingMichiganBatonRougeLouisiannaHarrisburgPennsylvania

“Okay,” she says standing back and he shakes his head hard looking down and finding the candle glowing bright, a single flame flickering before his eyes. “Make a wish.”

He looks up at her, her dark hair cascading down her shoulders, green eyes dancing excitedly in the candlelight. A smile is pulled across her face, the dimple in her right cheek revealing itself as she holds her hands clasped against her chest, the silver of her compass pendant glinting in the light. He looks back down at the cupcake in front of him and closes his eyes, taking a deep breath and then releasing it out in a rush, the flame snuffing out and Charlotte claps for him enthusiastically, causing him to laugh.

“Happy Birthday, J,” she says softly as she watches him peel the wrapping off the bottom of his cupcakes and she laughs as he swallows the entire thing in two bites.

“F’anks ‘harlie,” he says around the mound of cake in his mouth and she giggles at the little smudge of blue icing on the corner of his mouth.

“You have…icing,” she giggles, gesturing to her own mouth and he reaches up, wiping at the corner of his mouth with his hand but it’s the wrong side. “No it’s there…” she points and he wipes again but misses. “No you missed…here.”

Before she can even think she’s leaning across his desk her hand reaching out and his eyes flutter closed as her fingers brush his cheek. Her hand trembles slightly as her thumb smudges against his bottom lip, swiping away the excess icing and his eyes open to find her frozen that way, her hand presses against his face and he wants nothing more than to grab her wrist and pull her down to him. But before he has another moment to think on it she’s back away from him, peddling backwards and putting as much space between them as possible.

“Um…thanks for signing my CDs,” she says, snatching them from off the chair and turning towards the door. “I gotta get back. I’m sure I’ll see you later.”

She rattles all of this quickly as she rushes to the door and Justin can only watch as she fumbles with the office door.

“Charlie,” he says as she finally gets it open and she stops, her hand still on the knob as she turns back towards him and he can’t help but smile. “Thank you….not just for the cupcake just…” his breath steels as she gives him a soft smile. “Thank you.”

“Anytime,” she smiles, biting her lip before turning away and he watches her until she slips out the outer office door.

He sighs looking down at the crumbs on his desk, the little candle sitting discarded next to the wax wrapping and he can still smell the sulfer from the lighter just slightly, the smoke of the snuffed candle still lingering in the air. He fingers the candle, replaying the exchange over and over again in his mind wondering what it all meant. The CDs and the cupcake and the way she touched his face, the sheer intimacy of it. He shakes his head. He’s just in a vulnerable place right now and Charlotte just happens to be around…and she listens to him…and she makes him laugh…and she has that dimple when she smiles. He shakes his head again. He is engaged and they are going to make it work. For better or worse he is with Amelia and after this morning that is abundantly clear.

But none of that changed the fact that when he’d closed his eyes, he had wished for Charlotte.

Chapter 19 by SomethingBlue42
Author's Notes:

Thanks for being patient guys! The next update probably won't be for several weeks since I'm rolling into finals but then I have spring break where I hope to get A LOT done. Happy Reading!

 

By the time Charlotte gets back to the offices of Amelia Domineck it’s nearly 6:30 and she sighs, exhausted from fighting the crowds and the traffic. Only Amelia would send her to Times Square at five o’clock on a Friday to handle some problem with the wedding announcement in the Times. The front office is quiet and dim, the computer screens of her co-workers dark, and she wonders how long ago they’d left.

She drops her purse next to her desk chair and falls into it, tipping her head back and closing her eyes, waiting. Amelia and Justin were at some kind of tasting, wedding cake, wedding catering, wedding wine. Wedding, wedding, wedding, Charlotte can’t help but think bitterly, bringing a hand up to rub at her temple.

The past week had been like a time-warp, that Justin had never confessed any feelings of doubt or entrapment, that he had never vowed to turn things around. The determination he had shown after making that decision a little over a month ago had disappeared so suddenly it was almost as if it was never even there to begin with. He had slipped quietly back into that sunny ambivalence he’d been trying so hard to break from and while he seemed not to have a care in the world, Charlotte couldn’t help but notice that his smiles came fewer and farther between these days.

His devil-may-care attitude was not lost on Amelia. She was cautious in the beginning, almost gentle, and Charlotte had thought that maybe, just maybe, he’d really gotten through to her. Maybe he had. But with every “whatever you want, babe” she began to realize that she had won. She had broken him and Charlotte was thoroughly disgusted at the triumphant look on her face every time Justin caved.

Sometimes she wonders if it was all just a dream, that her desire to see him stand up for himself had fabricated his recent actions in her mind, but then she remembers the look on his face when he had asked her what kind of life he had now, the slight break in his voice when he had asked her where the music was.

She shakes her head sitting forward in her chair and flicking her little desk lamp on before swirling her mouse, the screen of her computer glowing to life. It’s not her concern how Justin acts towards his fiancé. She works for Amelia and not him and while she and Justin’s relationship isn’t strictly professional but friends’ didn’t necessarily fit their description either. But she still can’t help the quiet boil inside of her when Amelia snaps at him, or tricks him, or does any of the other backhanded things that she does to him. Charlotte and Justin could never really be friends, but Charlotte can’t help but want to protect him as if they were.

She sighs, flopping back against her chair, noting the time in the right hand corner of her screen. 6:45. She has no clue why Amelia had asked her to wait for her and she’s slightly peeved that she’s stuck here this late on a Friday night. Not that she has anywhere to be or any exciting plans for the evening.

Lately her life has been a hapless routine. Get up. Go to work. Go home. Order take out. Watch TV. Go to sleep. Then do it all over again the next day. It doesn’t really bother her most days. But then there were some days, like on Fridays when she was still at the office at 6:50 waiting for her boss and her fiancé to get back from their glamorous wedding planning extravaganza, that she really wished she had more of a life. Or maybe just someone to share in her  boredom. Someone to sit and watch TV with, to read the Sunday paper with, to lay in bed with on rainy days and listen to the noise of the city.

Her head snaps up as she hears voices coming down the hall, muffled through the door but she hears the annoyance lacing one while the other is soft and apologetic. The door opens then and Amelia breezes inside, her face set in a scowl as she struggles to unbutton her coat, her blond hair tussled and her cheeks wind-burned. Justin follows behind her, his expression weary as he reaches to pull his fiancé’s coat from her shoulders and hangs it on the rack next to Charlotte’s.

“Amelia, it was just the tasting-”

“It was horrendous!” Amelia exclaims, turning towards him and Justin sighs, shrugging out of his own coat. “for what we’re paying for this is unacceptable. The duck was gamey-”

“It’s a game bird, Amelia-”

“-the sauce was gelatinous-”

“The sauce was fine-” Justin sighs and Amelia turns to him.

You didn’t like it!”

“I DON’T LIKE DUCK!” he yells finally and Charlotte sinks lower in her chair, chewing on her bottom lip slowly. Justin takes a deep calming breath. “It was fine. You made your suggestions and we have an appointment for another tasting next week.” He reaches out, holding her at her upper arms, running his hands up and down her biceps before reaching up to hook a finger under her chin. “It’s gonna be okay.”

Amelia’s face untenses slowly and she lets out a sigh, her shoulders slumping slightly as she pats his chest. “Fine. I guess,” she tenses again. “I just hate incompetence.”

She bristles as she turns towards her office and that’s when she notices Charlotte for the first time, her eyes showing slight surprise but then her face is blank.

“Did you get that taken care of at the Times?” she asks as she breezes past her desk and Charlotte scrambles out of her chair, following Amelia into her office.

“Yes, they changed the last paragraph like you’d asked,” Charlotte says, nodding her head, her hands smoothing subconsciously down the sides of her pants, wondering if they’re wrinkled. Amelia hates that.

“Good,” Amelia says, falling into her desk chair, reaching for some brochures at the edge of her desk. “Just…water the plants and then I guess you can go.” She flicks her hand uninterestedly and Charlotte fights the urge to roll her eyes.

When she turns she comes face to face with Justin, standing in the doorway, his eyes immediately snapping up and she gets the distinct feeling he was looking at her ass. She can feel herself blush slightly as she gives him a small smile moving to step past him into the outer office.

“Excuse me,” she says softly, turning sideways to slip through the door, her breasts brushing his chest slightly as she passes and he can feel his mouth go slightly dry. New Mexico…Santa Fe.

He watches her as she makes her way over to the small cabinet in the corner, her hair falling over her shoulders in chestnut waves. The leather of her cropped jacket is soft and brown over the white pleated tank hanging loosely underneath. A braided belt cinches her waist, showing off the ample curve of her hips accentuated by the contoured waist and wide legs of her heather gray linen pants. He can barely see the toes of the chocolate brown ballet flats on her feet but his eyes don’t linger there long, traveling back up her legs.

The past week had been a slight blur, his thoughts a jumbled mess inside his head and he wished to god he had the brainpower to figure it all out. Since his birthday he couldn’t get her off his mind and the preoccupation had only gotten worse as the week progressed. He found himself watching the clock, wondering if or when she would drop by with china pattern samples or colorful honeymoon brochures. When she did show up he was nervous, his stomach in knots and the guilt accompanied with these feelings consumed him. He was walking a tightrope of emotion teetering between guilt and excitement. It’d been a long time since he’d felt this way about someone, since he’d gotten the little flutter in his stomach when she walked in a room, since-
   
“Justin, are you listening to me?” Amelia snaps, breaking his train of thought and Justin presses his lips together, slipping his hands in his pockets and his head snaps back, forcing a smile at his fiancé as the guilt burns in his throat.

“Yeah,” he says, stepping back into her office. “Yeah sorry babe, what were you saying?”

“I was asking you to look at these,” Amelia says with a sigh, nudging some brochures towards the edge of her desk and he slips his hands out of his pockets, reaching to pick one up.

A beautiful picture of a small European village nestled around a horseshoe shaped bay adorns the cover. Fishing boats dot the blue-green water and palm trees hang over the road curving near the waters edge.

“South of France?” he questions and Amelia nods.

“For the honeymoon. I figured we could do Paris first, then spend the rest of the time in Daddy’s château near Monaco. I already talked to him about it and he and mother will be there around July so we can just spend the rest of the summer with them and-”

“You want to spend our honeymoon with your parents?” Justin asks his brows creasing as he looks up from the brochure.

“Well, not with them but they’d be there,” Amelia says waving a hand disinterestedly. “It’s also really close to Italy so we could maybe spend a few days in Milan and-”

“That chateau only has two bedrooms,” Justin interrupts and Amelia blinks back at him. “They’re right next to each other.”

“So?” Amelia says after a moment and Justin lets out a humorless laugh, dropping the brochure back onto her desk.

Of course. How silly of him to think that they’d be having sex on their honeymoon. His chest feels tight as he turns away from her, trying to compose himself, to push down the bitterness and his eyes fall on Charlotte as she pokes at the dirt in Amelia’s Sansevieria plant before tipping a little water into the pot. His eyes travel over the roundness of her hips and his teeth clench as she bends over to check the large leafy plant in the corner. Wyoming…Cheyenne.

She straightens, turning to move on to the plants near the back wall and their eyes meet, a tug pulling in her belly strong as gravity and she envisions herself crossing the room, throwing her arms around him, letting him hoist her on the desk and-

Charlotte’s eyes widen slightly, immediately dropping her gaze to the floor. Where did that come from? To say her sex life was slow at the moment was being kind but it wasn’t like her to randomly think about someone hoisting her on a desk. But it wasn’t just someone. It was Justin, which should make it worse but she can’t help to think about the way his hands would feel on her body, how his lips would feel on hers, to imagine how he would feel inside-
 
She bites the side of her tongue hard, hoping the pain will rinse the thought from her mind but it only banishes it back to the far recesses, the image never really leaving.

Justin watches her turn abruptly, her hair swaying hypnotically against her back and he forces himself to look away. He shouldn’t be feeling this way about her. They were just friends and he was engaged. Despite Trace’s assurance that his feelings towards Charlotte were harmless as long as he didn’t act on them he couldn’t help the stab of guilt he felt along with every chill that she sent down his spine.

“Do you have some kind of problem with spending time with my parents?” Amelia asks and he jerks as if struck, turning back to her bewildered.

“No,” he says, his voice conveying his confusion. “No, of course not.”

Charlotte cringes, pausing in her task to say a silent prayer that Justin’s denial will be enough. She doesn’t think she can take listening to her brow beat him tonight. It’s late and she just wants to go home even if all she has waiting for her is her goldfish and her TiVo.

“I thought it was very nice of them to let us stay there considering they just bought the place and have only just had it decorated. They haven’t even stayed there yet and they’re offering to let us have it for our honeymoon,” Amelia snaps and Justin sighs.

“All I was saying was that it’s a little odd to be going on our honeymoon with your parents. Having them sleep in the next room?” he chuckles, smiling in what he hopes is a winning way. “Come on babe, that is a little unconventional don’t you think?”

Charlotte cringes. You never try and use logic with Amelia.

“Oh yes, of course,” Amelia says, her voice light and airy and Justin swallows hard.

“Uh huh, yeah I know staying with my parents on our honeymoon would just be…odd but I didn’t hear you complaining when we spent our one year anniversary with your family.”

“Amelia they were only there for three days out of the two weeks we spent in Hawaii and we were all in separate bungalows,” Justin argues but Amelia has only just begun.

“There was no problem bringing your entire family out with us on that excursion was there? You didn’t even think to have my family come.”

“Don’t you do that. I asked you to invite them and you said your mother was going to be in Paris for fashion week and your dad had to work-”

“We ate every meal with your whole family and now you don’t even want to stay in the same house as mine-”

“Amelia, I’m not saying that!” Justin says, the frustration and fatigue evident in his voice. He sighs. “Baby, whatever you want is fine. We can stay at your parents place, okay? I would love to spend more time with them.”

Charlotte keeps her jaw clenched tight, anger and indignation welling inside her as she tips more and more water into the plants along the back wall, hurrying through the task as quickly as possible. She doesn’t want to be here for this. She can’t listen to Amelia do this to him anymore, not tonight.

“Sure we can spend all the time in the world with your mom and dad but when it comes time to do something with mine you don’t want to. I spent TWO WEEKS in Memphis for Christmas, Justin!” Amelia yells and Justin bows his head, closing his eyes. “TWO! And I had to deal with you getting drunk with Trace and flitting all over the place on four-wheelers getting filthy and eating carbs. I did that for you and you can’t do this ONE little thing for me.”

“Amelia, just stop okay! He said he was sorry why can’t you just leave him alone?”

The words fly out of Charlotte’s mouth before she even has a chance to stop them, slamming the water bottle on the back table, her body turning towards Amelia in her anger. As soon as she says them her stomach rolls and a hot flash of dread races through her. What the hell did she just say? Justin is looking at her wide-eyed and Amelia’s face is dangerously blank, her blue eyes impossibly cold. Charlotte’s eyes fall on Justin who gives her a searching look then she drops her eyes to the floor, searching for something, anything to rectify the situation.

“Amelia, I-”

“Excuse me?” Amelia asks, standing from her seat and Justin moves towards her as she rounds the desk.

“Honey, she didn’t mean it. It’s Friday and she’s tired,” Justin says quickly, his voice low and soothing but Amelia merely brushes by him, moving to stand directly in front of Charlotte.

Amelia stands tall at five feet eleven inches, her four inch heels causing her to tower over Charlotte’s five foot five frame. Charlotte’s stomach trembles at the rage that boils in Amelia’s ice cold eyes and she knows at this very moment she’s fired. There’s no way that Amelia would tolerate that kind of insubordination. She feels almost as if she could pass out, her breath coming in short pants.

“I realize that what with your extensive dating history of about three people that you presume to know what it’s like to deal with men. What makes them tick. How they think and react to things…” Amelia snarls and Charlotte’s green eyes are wide, her hands trembling slightly as she clasps them together.

“Amelia,” Justin says lowly, reaching for her arm but she shakes him off violently, her eyes set on Charlotte in murderous rage.

“Well, if you were such an authority, Charlie, maybe you would be with your own fiancé instead of telling me what do to with mine.”

“Amelia!” Justin exclaims, shocked at her meanness although he knows he shouldn’t be. He watches Charlotte’s face go from fearful to wounded to blank in a matter of minutes and he sees the fingers of one of her hands clamp around the other, her knuckles turning white.

“No, Justin she thinks she’s the authority on you,” Amelia says, laughter tinkling in her voice. “On us. She flits around here in her no name shoes with her off the rack office wear and she thinks she’s better than us for some unknown reason.”

“I-I-I d-don’t,” Charlotte stutters slightly as she stares at the floor, forcing her vision to remain clear, tears pricking at her eyes. She doesn’t dare look at Justin.

“I know you think I’m ridiculous and demanding,” Amelia says, her voice going dangerously soft and Justin’s hand squeezes around her bicep, begging her to stop but she just shrugs him off again. “I know that you don’t understand how someone like me can have all this. Well it’s because I’m like this that I have all this, Charlotte. Did you ever think of that? That maybe you’re the one who got it wrong. After all I don’t see you on the guest list to the Met’s charity balls and I don’t see you on the New York Times Wedding Announcements page.” Her voice goes soft as she leans towards Charlotte in conference. “That’s because you’ll never be anything more than a poor coal miner’s daughter who couldn’t hack it in big city finance, and honestly, what man would want that?”

Charlotte swallows hard, the tears springing forward and she has to open her eyes as wide as possible to keep them from spilling down her cheeks. She marvels at Amelia’s ability to get right to the heart of things. To hit every last one of her insecurities all at once, shredding her pride to ribbons. But she will not give Amelia the satisfaction of seeing her cry. She clenches her jaw, raising her head and she has to force herself not to look away from the smile of smug satisfaction on Amelia’s lips.

“I’m sorry,” she says, her voice thick with emotion and the words burn her lips as they leave her mouth. She doesn’t look at Justin, knows that one glance at the pity that is no doubtedly on his face will send her into hysterics.

“You should be,” Amelia says, her voice dangerously low and she holds Charlotte’s gaze for a few moments more, her chin jutted out and her back straight, looking down the tiny slope of her nose at her. “That’s all.”

Charlotte does her best to walk slowly from the room but she can’t help to run the last few paces, hooking her hands in the straps of her bag as she passes her desk and running to the front office door, not even bothering with her coat. The last thing she hears as she swings open the door is Justin’s voice, thick and disgusted, spitting “You are such a fucking bitch sometimes, you know that?”

But she doesn’t care to wait, just throws herself out into the hall and sprints to the elevator, the tears constricting her throat as she jabs the down button with fervorancy. She waits, her body trembling, watching the numbers ascend but she’s jittery, desperation making her impatient so she turns, sprinting across the hall and throwing herself into the plain metal door nearly obscured by a plant. The push handle clangs loudly as she stumbles into the stairwell scurrying down a few flights before her legs give out, the tears finally overtaking her. She falls onto the steps, her hands covering her face as she sobs, resting her head against the cold concrete wall.

She cries bitterly for everything. For all the times Amelia made her ashamed of her upbringing, for every time she put down her wardrobe, her hair, her shoes. For busting her ass at college for four years only to discover she hates everything about her chosen field. For every smile Justin has ever forced at Amelia to hide how much her comments hurt him. She cries because she knows she just got fired and wishes she had been strong enough to just quit, wishes she knew what she wanted, wishes so desperately that there was a way for her to find out who she is so she’d know the next step to take.

She’s crying so hard she doesn’t quite hear the soft tap of shoes on concrete steps, so caught up in the release of her tears that she jumps when she feels his hand warm on her back as he settles next to her on the steps, folding his lanky frame down beside her.

She coughs, swallowing hard as she tries to suppress the hiccupping sobs, but her body still shakes with them and she turns her face to the wall, shame deep and bitter sitting in the pit of her stomach like a rock. His hand smoothes up and down her back a few times before stopping and he nudges her arm softly, trying to draw her attention. She chances a glance down and sees his offering, a soft white handkerchief with a little blue J.T. stitched in the corner and her hand trembles as she takes it from him.

She dabs at her eyes, sniffing pitifully as she exhales shakily. She jumps as calloused fingertips brush against the side of her face, tucking her dark hair behind her ear and the tenderness with which he touches her draws another well of emotion in her. Why, why did she have to fall for the guy that’s engaged to her boss of all people? Out of the four million men living in New York City she had to fall for the one that was completely unavailable.

“You okay?” he asks, his voice gentle and deep and she sniffles softly.

“She’s such a bitch,” Charlotte says, cursing the break in her voice as another flood of tears cascades down her cheeks, flicking them away as discreetly as possible.

“Come on, Charlie,” he says, his voice peppy and she grits her teeth. “You can’t honestly believe anything she said? She was just going for the jugular.”

“Are you defending her?” Charlotte finds herself asking, her head whipping to him and his eyes widen slightly at the anger in her gaze and his face goes uncertain. “I’m sorry,” Charlotte says immediately looking away from him, her heart splintering softly. “She’s your fiancé, you’re supposed to defend her. I’m sorry.”

“No!” Justin says and he sighs frustrated. “No, Charlie I…I’m not defending her. I’m just saying that it’s not true. What she said. Hey,” he nudges her with his elbow, scooting closer so that his hip is pressed against hers. “None of its true, Charlotte.”

“God, I know,” Charlotte says letting her head hang back, letting her arms lay out across her lap, playing with the fabric of his handkerchief.

“Do you?” he asks peering at her face and she glances at him uncertainly. “You’re an…amazing woman Charlotte. Amazing…” he lets his voice trail as he stares at her, her tear stained face glowing in the dim lighting of the stairwell, her lips full and red. He shakes his head. “And you’re gonna get married.” He nods, looking out and nodding authoritatively as he lets his elbows rest on his knees, pressing his palms together. “You’ll get married.”

Charlotte lets out a humorless laugh. “Oh yeah?”

Justin smiles softly and when he turns to look at her it widens. “Yeah.”

His eyes hold hers and that sense of waiting is back that pull in his chest and he’s drowning in her, wanting nothing more than to cup her face and bring his mouth to hers, to show her that any man would be lucky to have her. That he would be lucky to have her. He coughs slightly, looking down at the toes of his shoes.

“Yeah I mean…I’d marry you,” he says, shrugging his shoulders, his tone joking and Charlotte laughs.

“Oh yeah?” she asks, grinning giddily at the very idea of it. “How you gonna pull that off?”

He purses his lips in thought, staring down the dark stairwell. “Well… you’ll just put on the dress…come down the aisle…we’ll get married.” He nods.

She laughs and shakes her head, forcing herself to let the fantasy slip away. “Nah all this shit isn’t what I want…”

“What would you want?” he asks softly, folding his arms over his knees and resting his chin on them as he watches her interestedly.

“Oh gosh,” she says heaving a sigh and resting her head against the cement wall. “Something small…intimate…friends and family.”

“Vague much?” he asks with a chuckle and she gives him a wry smile.

“I don’t know…” she says sighing as she looks out into the darkness. “I always kind of wanted a winter wedding, I guess,” she smiles softly and Justin smiles too. “I like the idea of it snowing.”

“Snow on your wedding day?” he asks and she nods. “Where would you have it?”

She shrugs. “I dunno. I don’t really have a preference. I guess I’d let him pick.”

Her eyes meet his and he’s looking at her steadily, his eyes boring into hers and she wonders what he’s thinking. Sometimes she can see what he’s thinking written all over his face and other times, like now, his face is smooth and blank, devoid of any emotion but his eyes, god his eyes are so deep and blue. She looks away.

“I dunno, the day isn’t really important to me,” she says, shaking her head and tracing the little T on his handkerchief with her forefinger. “It’s the marriage. We’ve talked about this, haven’t we?”

“Yeah,” he says with a nod, then he looks at her. “But the day represents the marriage,” he says and she looks at him. “Right?” he asks. “I mean it’s the beginning of it. You need to start it out right.”

“Well…yeah,” Charlotte says nodding slowly and then chuckles softly. “But the rest of your life is more important than that one day. Like the day is nice but it shouldn’t be the end-all-be-all, you know?”

“Yeah, but it’s a symbol. Like the ring,” Justin says, running his fingers over his engagement finger, feeling the smoothness of his skin. “I mean, I got Amelia that really nice ring because she’s gonna wear it for the rest of her life.”

“Yeah, it’s nice,” Charlotte offers and she knows he can tell she’s lying as she thinks of the diamond encrusted monstrosity that is Amelia’s engagement ring. “How much did you pay for that thing anyway?” Charlotte asks and then her eyes widen as he raises an eyebrow at her, her hand coming up to cover her mouth. “Oh my gosh, that was so rude. I’m so sorry-”

“Nah, it’s fine,” he says waving his hand as he looks up at the ceiling in thought. “Well let’s see, the first ring was around a hundred twenty grand,” he says not noticing as Charlotte’s jaw drops, “but she didn’t like that one so we exchanged it for the one she has now which was around four hundred.”

“Wait,” Charlotte says, pressing her fingers to her temples. “the first ring?”

“Yeah, she didn’t like the first one,” Justin says and when Charlotte raises an eyebrow at him he blushes slightly.

“So you asked her to marry you and she said ‘Only if you get me a different ring’?”

“No,” Justin says defensively and then shifts. “Not exactly…”

“You’ve GOT to be kidding me,” Charlotte says looking at him dumbfounded and he sighs.

“It wasn’t like that, okay! It was…she had this other ring in mind that’s all,” he replies huffily and Charlotte presses her lips together and they’re silent for a moment.

“How long did it take you to pick out the first one?” Charlotte asks softly and he sighs, his shoulders slumping.

“Six months,” he sighs, hanging his head slightly.

“I’m sure it was perfect,” Charlotte says quietly and a small smile twitches at his lips.

“Not perfect enough.”

They’re quiet for a moment. “Four hundred thousand dollars?” Charlotte finally asks and he chuckles.

“What, it’s an investment!” he exclaims and Charlotte snorts.

“You know what the investment is?” she asks, anger smoldering in her eyes and Justin is slightly taken aback. “The marriage! All this…shit…the cake, the announcements, the dress, the tux…none of it fucking matters!”

“She really frustrates you, doesn’t she?” Justin asks and Charlotte lets out a soft growl.

“A lot of times, yeah,” she responds, heaving a sigh and Justin tilts his head to the side, regarding her curiously.

“Why don’t you quit?” he asks and Charlotte turns, looking at him bewildered. “I mean you quit your last job because you didn’t like it. Why are you keeping this one?”

Charlotte blinks at him before looking down at her hands, a blush creeping up her neck. If she were honest with him she’d say that he was really the only reason that she was still keeping this job. She’d thought about quitting. She’d thought about it but she could never bring herself to write her letter of resignation. No matter what Amelia did to her she, for some unknown reason, was able to justify it in some way. She guesses she’s a lot like Justin in that way. She smiles.

“I mean, not that I want you to quit,” Justin adds quickly. “Seeing you is the highlight of my day.”

His eyes widen slightly at his confession and when she looks at him a slow smile creeps up her face, the dimple revealing itself in her cheek and he can’t help but smile back. His eyes hold hers and he doesn’t look away, butterfly’s setting loose in his stomach, the urge to kiss her so strong. She’s right there, right next to him and he wants nothing more than to touch her hair, touch her face, press his mouth to hers.

“You know,” she says softly, her tongue snaking out to wet her bottom lip and her eyes flick down to his mouth. “You asked me once…what the worst part of working for Amelia was…”

“Yeah,” he says, but it comes out in a dry rasp, his tongue snaking out to wet his own lips and he sees her pupils dilate, her eyes still trained on his mouth.

“It’s not the tantrums,” she says and then she swallows hard because she feels like he’s closer to her. Did he lean in closer? “Its…it’s not the tantrums.”

“What?” he asks, his voice no louder than a murmur and she can feel the rush of his breath against her lips and he’s definitely closer than he was before, his face mere millimeters from hers.

“It’s…it’s the way she treats you,” Charlotte breathes, and it’s as if something breaks in them both, snaps and cracks, the magnets inside them finally fusing together as his hands come up to cup her face, hers winding in the lapels of his suit jacket. “I hate the way she treats y-”

But she can’t even finish her sentence, his lips crushing to hers and it’s as if the entire world stops. Breathing stops. Hearts stop and it’s just the two of them, his hands in her hair, her fingers clutching the fabric of his shirt.


Chapter 20 by SomethingBlue42
Author's Notes:

Hey guys thanks for your patience! I'm leaving for France tomorrow *nervousomg* But I WILL be updating. It just may be at really strange times for you guys since there's like a 6 hour time difference lol Happy reading!!!

 

 

“Come on, Justin!”

Justin’s teeth grit, his legs pushing hard at the press, his muscles trembling under the weight. Sweat beads at his temples and his fingers curl tightly around the grips next to his hips pushing the weights up, his legs moving slowly but surely. He breathes deep through his nose, pushing it out of his mouth as his legs press forward and he tries to think about anything but the burn in his muscles.

“Come on you got two more.”

Justin’s head turns slightly, watching as Dom crosses his arms over his chest, his pecs bulging under the thin black tank top all the personal trainers wear.  He’s a large man with a small head and virtually no neck, his hair buzzed close to his scalp but Justin can see where the short bristles are beginning to thin near the crown of his head. Justin curses him silently, biting back a moan as he lets his knees bend back slowly, his thighs trembling and he’s panting hard, Dom stepping close to push the weights back should his legs give out.

“You can do it, dude. Two more, come on fuckin push,” Dom encourages in that slightly patronizing way of his.

Justin sets his jaw, forcing his legs to extend and the weights push forward, the sound of metal sliding on metal echoing in his head and he has one more. Just one more. His body screams “no” but his mind shouts its contradiction louder and he allows his knees to bend one more time, his muscles taking the weight grudgingly and all he has to do is push back. Just push back, think of anything but the pain and just push…

The push of Charlotte’s mouth on his own is urgent and he hasn’t felt passion like that in…

He chokes suddenly, the memory breaking his concentration and his legs give out, the tray forcing his knees to his chest and a strangled whimper pulls from his throat, the breath rushing from his lungs and he really doesn’t bend that way anymore. Dom jumps to action immediately, his hands pushing the plate back until it’s locked into place and Justin lets his head hang back, muscles trembling but now he’s not so sure it’s from the weights and he lets his eyes close.

His memory is in a flurry, his mind half-heartedly trying to shove back the feeling of her mouth on his, her fingers wrapped around his tie, the gentle brush of her fingertips against his jaw…

“Dude, you okay?” his trainer asks, and he opens his eyes looking at the concern on the other man’s face but it doesn’t quite mask his annoyance at Justin’s failure.

“Yeah,” Justin sighs, rolling so his feet plant on the floor and he tests his legs wearily, finding them not unlike jello as he tries to stand.

“What’s up with you today, bro?” Dom asks, tossing a towel at him and Justin catches it, dabbing at his forehead, panting hard.  

“I dunno,” Justin replies, heaving a sigh, pulling himself to his feet.

It was only half a lie really. Ever since he’d woken up this morning he’d felt off, something inside him seemingly off rhythm and no matter how hard he tried he couldn’t get the night before out of his head. Amelia had forced him out of bed around nine to have breakfast with her mother at the Plaza and he’d been distracted throughout the entire meal, his eyes turning this way and that, toward the stained glass of the laylight, the Palm Court bright with morning sunshine. He counted the lines between the glass panels, he’d replayed his golf swing over and over again in his mind, trying to perfect it mentally, he’d sang every song he could think of to himself but the smell of Charlotte’s skin was engrained in his every thought, the taste of her mouth burned so deeply into his psyche that he could recall it even now, taste it on his own lips.

He shakes his head, forcing his mind elsewhere. He recalled how they’d dragged him to Tiffany where he watched uninterestedly as they’d argued over the Tiffany Weave place settings versus some French thing Justin couldn’t even pronounce and then it was back home where Amelia yelled at him for fifteen minutes about his rudeness at breakfast then reminded him of his gym appointment, banishing him from the house with a scoff.

Just your typical Saturday morning at the Timberlake-Domineck residence.

But it wasn’t just a typical Saturday, Justin mused as Dom ushered him from the leg press over to the benches in front of a long set of mirrors. It was anything but typical. A thrill runs through his veins as he remembers the feel of Charlotte’s tongue reaching to swipe his bottom lip tentatively, how her fingernails scratched against his chest, the sensation dull through the cotton of his shirt as he reciprocated and then the sound she made when his tongue slid against hers…

He sits, rolling his neck slightly and trying to shake off the memory, trying to push it down to think of anything else. Dom sets the dumbbells at his feet, a pair of forty-fives, and he knows now is not the time to daydream. He grasps them, his fingers wiggling around the metal bar, settling into place before pulling them up, his palms facing his body, elbows flexed.

“Three sets of eight,” Dom says, moving around the end of the bench to stand behind him and Justin blinks at him.

“These are forty-five pound weights,” Justin says and Dom gives a short nod. “Did you talk to Amelia earlier because-”

“You givin me lip?” Dom asks, his brow furrowing slightly and Justin shuts up immediately. He doesn’t want to have to run three extra miles for arguing. “That’s what I thought, now come on. Up!”

Justin grits his teeth as he bends his elbows, raising the dumbbells until they are level with his shoulders then rotating his wrists. He grits his teeth as he feels the pull in his deltoids, forcing his arms in the air. He holds them there for a split second before rotating his wrists back as he brings the weights down again, his elbows curling until the weights are level with his shoulders again.

Sweat beads on his brow and he takes deep breaths, forcing his body farther. His muscles burn and his jaw hurts from clenching his teeth so hard but he gets through the first set with relative ease. His second set is slower, the burn tearing through his shoulders and arms and he forces himself to think of something else.

A soft whimper pulls from the back of Charlotte’s throat, her fingers wringing in the lapels of his jacket and the sound causes his lips to press harder to hers, his fingers curling around her hair, the softness of her locks twisting and tangling around his hands, trapping them against her. As if he would ever want to pull away…

His arms give out midpush and blind panic causes him to let go of the weights but years of weightlifting causes him to push out as he lets go so the weights fall with a loud thud against the rubber floor mats, bouncing slightly from the force of the fall. Dom jumps back, one of the dumbbells barely missing his big toe and Justin cringes as everyone in the room turns to see what the commotion is about.

“Alright, alright, quit your gawkin,” Dom hollers gruffly, bending over to snatch up the weights and he sets them back on the rack like they’re cans of soda instead of heavy weights. “Treadmill. Now.”

“But I still have three sets of Raises to d-” Justin starts and the older man turns to him, his brow crinkled in annoyance.

“Not today, you don’t,” he snaps and Justin’s eyes widen slightly, chastised and he stands to follow Dom to the cardio room.

Dom stops next to a line of vacant treadmills and gestures at Justin who immediately lifts his foot from the floor, curling his leg up behind him and beginning to stretch. He really hopes that Dom will go easy on him. Three miles at the most. He can do three miles in about forty-five minutes. Surely he can keep his mind from wandering too far in forty-five minutes.

“I dunno what kinda shit you got goin on,” Dom says and Justin looks up at him slightly confused. The older man just nods towards the treadmill, ushering Justin onto it, “and I’m not one to tell a man to say no when his woman is givin him some, but I don’t want another session like this one.” He punctuates his sentence by hitting the start button and Justin is so shocked he doesn’t start walking right away, nearly falling off the back.

“Wait,” Justin says, his feet scrambling to fall into rhythm. “What? I didn’t-”

“You’re trying to tell me that you’re throwin’ weights all over the place and nearly crushing yourself because you’re just having an off day?” Dom asks with a chuckle. “I’m happy for you man. You were one high strung motherfucker and I’m glad you finally got some but just do me a favor and cancel the session next time okay?”

Justin watches slack-jawed as Dom pounds his back hard before moving to walk away.

“Oh, five miles,” Dom adds as an after thought, jamming his thumb against the upper arrow and driving the treadmill to move faster, throwing Justin into a run.

He watches the trainer drop his water bottle into the holder before smacking him on the back and walking away, Justin trying to find his rhythm as he tries not to let his mind wander too far. What did he have to do today? Amelia wanted him to go through his closet and get rid of some old clothes, which meant she wanted him to get rid of all the clothes she didn’t really like. He was supposed to drop by the studio and check Kalayah’s progress. Amelia wanted him to pick up some Black-Mint Granité for her tea…

He’s surrounded by the light scent of mint, Charlotte’s hair wrapped around his fingers and every time his hands move it sends the scent wafting around them, encircling them like a halo…

He sighs, glancing down at his progress. Barely a quarter mile. So much for not thinking about it.

He supposes he can’t avoid it forever. There has to be a reason it keeps creeping up into his mind and the faster he figures it out the faster he can forget it. He can’t help the snort that pulls from his throat at the thought. Not likely to forget THAT anytime soon.

He presses the arrow that ups his speed, his legs moving faster, as if he can run away from the thought but it tags along, unrelenting and unwilling to fade. He kissed Charlotte. He kissed her and he liked it. There, he admitted it. He waits for the overwhelming rush of guilt, the bone crushing regret but finds that he has none. The shock of the realization breaks his rhythm slightly and almost sends him sprawling to the ground but he somehow manages to keep his balance. The pretty girl riding the stationary bike a few rows ahead of him looks back and giggles slightly causing him to blush and chuckle at himself.

He kissed Charlotte. Charlotte. His Charlie, he kissed her. In the stairwell, somewhere between the thirty-seventh and thirty-eighth floors on a Friday evening he’d kissed her. He says this over and over again in his head, waiting for the guilt to stab at him but it never really does. It’s minimal at best, only really rearing its head when the word cheating comes to mind. But it’s banished in an instant when he replays it in his head, recalls the feeling of her mouth on his, her body pressed against his and a little zing of pleasure and excitement trills down his spine. Massachusetts…Boston.

He wonders where she is. What she’s doing. It’s Saturday afternoon. Was she at the park, enjoying the unusual warmness of the day? He could see her sitting on a red and white checkered blanket, her long dark hair pulled in a high ponytail, exposing the pale column of her neck, the freckle about an inch below her hairline. He can see her reading, one of those trashy chick lit books maybe? No, the New York Times was more her style, or the Wall Street Journal since she was into finance. Or maybe she was spending the day at the Met, trolling through a few of the exhibits, her head tilted to the side as she regards a painting critically, her green eyes squinted slightly in thought, her teeth working her bottom lip slowly.

He ups his speed again shaking his head. He shouldn’t be thinking these things. Trace had said that it was okay for him to feel this way as long as he didn’t act on it. Where did that leave him now? He’d acted on it, broken the cardinal rule of relationships, one that he’d often been burned by. Now the guilt comes full force, bitter in the back of his throat. He doesn’t usually do this kind of thing.

Was it really cheating though? It was just a kiss…or five…or maybe it was just one really long one? He wasn’t quite sure. His brain had kind of gone on vacation during the whole episode and all he could really remember was the fire that raced through his veins and the bone crushing, all-consuming want he’d had for Charlotte in that instant. He hadn’t been thinking…not with his head anyway…not with the one on his shoulders anyway.

He tries to imagine how he would feel if the tables were turned, if Amelia had made out with some random dude in the stairwell of his office building. He doesn’t have to try too hard to conjure up the image. They’d hit a rough patch a year or so back and she’d cheated. It hurt him like hell and the memory still cut him, still caused his breathing to hitch. It was just some randomer, some up and coming producer, no one special.

He can’t help thinking that it was different though. Charlotte wasn’t random and she certainly was special, to him anyway. He’s not sure if that makes it better or worse. He’s thinking it may be the latter. His brow furrows. Amelia’s cheated before so who is she to judge him, anyway? Not that he would ever tell her – God there’s a conversation he never wants to have. Turn about is fair play after all. What goes around…

Goes around goes around goes around…


He wonders what Monday will bring. Surely he’ll see her then. Amelia will send her over on some menial errand and awkward small talk will ensue. He frowns. That’s not him and Charlotte. It was all friendly jabs and scathing banter, just he and Charlie. But would it be that way now? Their relationship had been taken to the next level. Relationship in the most general sense of the word, he assures his conscience. They were two people who were connected, which in a sense is the definition of the word relationship.

A bead of sweat trickles from his temple and he’s not entirely sure it’s from the workout.

He doesn’t want things to change between them. He needs her, needs her to be his sounding board and his advice column, needs to hear her opinion and be able to look at her and know that she gets him. He can’t lose that and since things can’t exactly move forward in the direction that they are heading, they need to stay the same. His heart aches slightly at the realization, a small kernel of disappointment wedging its way into his stomach and it scares him. It scares him to even contemplate that it could mean more to him than the relationship he’s in, the one that he’s built for years, that he’s fought for and sacrificed for and given up everything for. So he shoves it into the back of his mind, with the songs he would never write and the house in Memphis he would never have, tucking it away and trying to not think about it for now.

After all it is only Saturday, early Saturday. He has two whole days to figure it out and come Monday, he’s sure he’ll have some kind of solution.

He shakes his head, finally falling into an easy rhythm, his legs burning slightly but it’s the feeling of progress, the steady flow of endorphins coursing through his veins as his breath is pulled in and pushed out his lungs. He feels at peace, concentrating on the strain of his muscles and the beat of his heart, steady and strong and there’s nothing else.

“COME ON, JENSON!”

The words are barked from the weight room but the sternness in them echoes throughout the entire gym and Justin’s attention is drawn to the doorway watching as one of the trainers strides purposefully into the room. It takes him a minute to realize that it’s a woman, her arms thick and muscular, her shoulders broad and tan. A small sprig of frizzy curls sprouts from her ponytail and bounces up and down as she stomps in his direction. He doesn’t envy her client.

As soon as the thought passes his mind his eyes widen when he sees Charlotte stumbling along after her. Her face is blotchy and red, pieces of her dark hair falling out of her haphazard ponytail and sticking to her face and neck. Her legs wobble unstably under her, her soft gray Capri pants clinging to her legs and her baggy blue NYU t-shirt looks like it’s about two sizes too big, a ring of sweat visible on the collar.

“Let’s go, let’s go, let’s go!!!” the trainer exclaims, her mammoth hands clapping together and the sound echoes off the walls as she ushers Charlotte over to the treadmills. “How many miles do you usually run?”

Charlotte swallows hard, her mouth dry, her entire body aching. When she’d received the call this morning that she had an appointment with a trainer at David Barton’s Gym she was half asleep and slightly dazed. She had insisted that it must be some kind of mistake, she didn’t go to that gym but the woman on the other line barked that she had just been enrolled in a membership that included once a week sessions with a personal trainer. She then said that she expected her to be on time and ready to work. This was all a little much for Charlotte to handle at seven a.m. on a Saturday.

Once awake she found that she was unable to fall back asleep, the previous night’s events creeping into her brain and gnawing at her conscious. She had kissed Justin. Justin. Her boss’ fiancé, she had kissed him. She’d be lying if she said that she hadn’t dreamed of that exact moment for a long, long time but daydreams were innocent and that kiss last night was anything but innocent. She had laid in bed for a good hour or so replaying the way his tongue slid against hers, the feel of his chest under her fingertips, the heat of his skin through the fabric of his shirt. She remembered how tenderly he’d touched her face, how his fingers had woven so deeply into her hair that it took him a moment to untangle them when he’d begun to pull away.

And that’s where she always stopped the memory because it was almost too embarrassing to remember their awkward parting of ways, the way she’d nearly tripped down the stairs as she turned to leave, the way he’d turned to go back up. To his fiancé.

By the time one o’clock rolled around she was almost glad for the distraction of the gym appointment. Six hours of mulling over the repercussions of her actions, the ensuing awkwardness between she and Justin, the awkwardness between she and Amelia, and the little thrill in her stomach whenever she thought of seeing him again had her so turned around she could barely think straight. She would be happy to just run and let the endorphins over take her.

That was until she met Fiona, her hulking scowling personal trainer. After breaking down all of her problem areas – hips, buttocks, thighs – and areas that needed tone – upper arms, calves, belly – all while standing in her sports bra and boy shorts she was convinced this could get no worse. But then came thirty minutes of stretching where Fiona pushed and pulled her body in directions that no normal human being should be twisted after which followed relentless weight training, Charlotte’s muscles screaming in protest with every bend and lift.

Now sweaty and exhausted, barely thinking she can move another step she lifts her eyes to the set of treadmills in front of her and her stomach falls to her toes, finding Justin blinking back dazedly at her, his long legs working easily under his loose fitting basketball shorts.

“Hi,” she blurts breathlessly, forgetting all about Fiona for the time being and Justin’s eyes widen before letting out a nervous chuckle.

“Hey,” he says, and she thinks she denotes a hint of breathlessness in his voice as well, but that could be because he’s running.

“This your boyfriend?” Fiona asks, eyeing the two of them suspiciously and Justin and Charlotte’s gazes snap to her.

“NO!” they practically scream in unison and then look at the floor, Justin’s finger jabbing at the up arrow, driving himself to move faster.

“Good,” Fiona says, nudging Charlotte around the back of Justin’s machine and ushering her onto the treadmill next to him. “You’re gonna do three miles,” she says jabbing at the start button and Charlotte stumbles slightly as the belt begins to move.

“I usually only do one-”

“And that obviously ain’t workin is it, honey?” Fiona replies back smarmily and Charlotte feels her face flame, tugging self consciously at the hem of her shirt. “Three miles.” Fiona says firmly and then glances quickly at Justin, eyeing him up and down. “Try and keep up with him,” she adds, cocking her head at him before jamming her thumb against the speed arrow and driving Charlotte to move faster before walking away.

Charlotte struggles to keep her pace, her eyes flitting every now and then to Justin beside her. His stride is easy, his long legs moving fluidly and even though he’s set on six he looks like he could run all day. Sweat glistens on his skin, the muscles in his arms stretching the sleeves of the thin white t-shirt he wears. Her heart races in her chest as she tries to think of something to say. All the usual casualties seem trivial and forced. What do you say to the man who you made out with in a stairwell when he’s the same man who is engaged to your boss?

“You don’t have to keep up with me,” he says and she glances at him confused. “I mean I won’t narc on you if you wanna go slower.”

“Oh,” Charlotte says, chuckling slightly to herself. “Yeah, um…” she pauses looking for Fiona’s mammoth frame. “Better safe than sorry.”

“I’ll slow down then,” he says, taking down his speed a little.

“You don’t have to,” Charlotte says, blushing slightly and Justin can’t help but smile.

“Nah, it’s fine I’m getting tired anyway…Maybe we can just walk for awhile.”

Charlotte’s heart flutters in her chest as she brings her speed down to a four, feeling her muscles rejoice. He’s slowed down as well, his sneakers thumping steadily on the belt as he reaches for his water bottle, popping the cap and taking a deep swig. She’s mesmerized by a drop of sweat that zigzags from his temple and down the side of his handsome face.

“Want some?” he offers, holding the bottle out to her and she looks at it dumbly. “I don’t have cooties I swear.”

Her eyes meet his and, as if their minds were on the same reel, the scene of their lips meeting fiercely, passionately, plays in their heads and they both look away quickly, swallowing hard as nervous silence settles over them.

“Um, I’m okay,” Charlotte stutters after a moment and Justin nods, still not looking at her as he uses the flat of his palm to jam the cap back down and drops it into the holder on his machine.

They’re quiet then, each looking for something to say to the other. Charlotte wants to ask him what it all means. Where does this leave them? Was it just a freak occurrence? Was it just because she was vulnerable and he was relieved to be in a situation where he could feel like a real man? Or did he have feelings for her? She swallows hard as she remembers how tightly his fingers wrapped in her hair. It sure felt like there was something between them…

“I didn’t know you went to this gym,” Justin says congenially, and Charlotte looks over, finding his face set in a pleasant expression.

“Oh, I don’t,” Charlotte says and Justin nods, looking forward but not responding. “I mean, I didn’t before today. Someone set up an appointment for me.”

“Wonder who did that,” he deadpans and the bitterness in his voice isn’t lost on Charlotte.

It is then that the full weight of everything settles on her. Amelia set up the appointment. Charlotte hadn’t really made the connection at first, or maybe she had but only subconsciously. Her life was so up in the air most days that when she got a call telling her to be somewhere she didn’t think twice on who the order was from. She showed up and she did what she was told. But walking here next to Justin on the treadmill she begins to understand that this is Amelia’s game. Did she know what happened between them? How could she know? If she knew, surely Charlotte would be packing her desk up right now instead of having a training session at one of the most expensive, exclusive gyms in the city. Then again she was sure that after last night’s explosion in Amelia’s office she would be packing her desk. She wasn’t sure what to think anymore.

But Amelia always had a way of figuring things out. It never ceased to amaze Charlotte the lengths to which she would go to know everything and if she didn’t know already, it was really just a matter of time. Maybe she did know and she was just trying to set them up, catch them in the act.

But that was another thing Charlotte was unsure about. Was there really anything to catch? It was one kiss in the stairwell. One passionate, clothes grabbing, very prolonged kiss. She needed to talk to Justin. Really talk to him, not this forced pleasantries business. She needed to know what he wanted, where he stood. She needed to know if this was about them or if it was about his shortcomings with Amelia. She needed to know how he felt. How he felt about her.

“Do you have plans for the day?” Justin asks suddenly, and Charlotte nearly falls off her treadmill, forgetting entirely that he was right next to her.

“Um…” she stutters looking over at him and he’s looking back at her, his face unreadable and she wonders what he’s insinuating. Was he asking her out? “Not really…no.”

“Me either,” he says and then holds her gaze for a moment before looking down and that awkward silence settles over them again.

What the hell is he doing? He kicks himself mentally, reaching up to increase his speed again, trying to run away from his idiocy. “Do you have plans for the day?” way to sound like a giant dork, J, he chides in his head and watches her from the corner of his eye as she reluctantly brings her speed up to match his. His eyes travel from her beat up running shoes to the smooth whiteness of her calves before they disappear beneath the fabric of her Capris. He follows the swell of her thigh up over the roundness of her ass and even though it’s masked by the hem of her shirt the way it bounces slightly as she jogs makes his mouth go dry. New Jersey…Trenton.

“Um…” Charlotte says, reaching up to tuck a stray piece of hair behind her ear and his eyes are drawn to her face again, her lip pulled between her teeth. “Would you wanna go get some lunch or-”

“Justin!”

Charlotte jumps and Justin cranes his neck to look over his shoulder and his eyes widen slightly to see Patti just stepping off an elliptical that’s tucked into the back corner. His eyes wander down her body, the tight spandex workout pants clinging to her hips in the most dangerous way and he forces himself to look at her face as she adjusts the strap of her matching sports bra. He hates when women wear skimpy clothes to the gym; it breaks his concentration but he always feels kind of gay when he thinks that so he tries to avoid the thought if possible.

Charlotte’s eyes flit from Patti to Justin, the way his pupils dilate as he takes in the tan expanse of her skin. Charlotte looks down at her frumpy old college shirt and her tattered gym capris, wondering how Patti can look glowing with a thin sheen of sweat slicking her skin and Charlotte looks drenched and wilted.

“Hey Patti,” he says, smiling widely, and Charlotte’s eyes snap to him again “How’s it going?”

“Good,” she says, smiling easily at him, revealing two rows of perfectly white teeth and her eyes fall on Charlotte. “Hi…Charlene is it?”

“Charlotte,” she replies, doing her best to sound friendly.

“Right! Sorry,” Patti says, tapping her temple and smiling before turning her full attention back to Justin, a smooth smile pulling at her lips. “You’ve got nice rhythm.”

“Huh?” Justin responds, his eyes busy watching a bead of sweat trickle from her collarbone down the valley between her breasts and she gestures to the machine.

“When you run…you have nice rhythm.”

“Oh…” Justin replies, blushing slightly as he feels her eyes travel down his body. “Thank you.”

Charlotte jabs the up arrow in her speed, not caring that her muscles scream in protest. She’d do anything to get away from this exchange. How could she be so stupid? The kiss didn’t mean anything to him. She’s sure he’d done it thousands of times with Patti or any of the other bimbos Amelia paraded around in front of him as bait. Her heart aches and suddenly she’s fighting tears, wanting nothing more than to be out of this stupid place, go home and curl up in her bed and pretend none of this ever happened. She doesn’t dare look at Justin.

“Amelia taking good care of you?” Patti asks, her dark eyes like liquid amber and Justin’s taken aback slightly. “Making sure you’re lifting and everything?”

He exhales slowly with a chuckle. “Yeah,” he responds with a nod. “Always lookin out for me, that girl.”

“Well,” Patti says after a moment or so more of watching him. “I’ll let you get back to your work out.” He jumps as she reaches out, her fingertips brushing his arm. “Don’t work too hard now.”

She winks at him before sauntering away and he’s perilous to stop himself from watching the hypnotic swing of her hips, her skin glistening with sweat in the ambient lighting of the gym. He shakes his head, suddenly dazed and slightly confused, tingly and warm. What is wrong with him lately? First Charlotte and now…

His attention is turned back to Charlotte, his eyebrows raising slightly as he watches her run, her legs moving fast, noting that she’s running at a six now. He can’t help but be impressed. Usually by now he’s ready to curl up on the floor and die but she seems to have found her second wind. He accepts her non-existent challenge and ups his speed as well, pushing his body farther, keeping watch of her out of the corner of his eye, their bodies moving together, muscles straining and pulling.

Charlotte runs, runs from her tears, from the hurt and she doesn’t care that her lungs feel as if they’re going to explode in her chest, doesn’t care that her calves are cramping and her thighs are shaking. She just wants to run until she can’t move, until she can’t feel. She doesn’t want to care about him anymore. She doesn’t want to be sucked into his and Amelia’s fucked up mind game anymore than she already has been. Amelia can keep slowly draining every ounce of free will from him and Justin can keep pretending like he doesn’t see this, doesn’t care. He can keep running away and refusing to admit how unhappy he really is. And Charlotte…well, where exactly does that leave her now? She did the one thing she’d promised herself she wouldn’t do the very first day Amelia had stuck her on as Justin’s assistant. She had gotten involved, let herself like him, let herself fall for him and now she is paying for it. She is paying dearly.

She jabs the emergency stop button, feeling if she runs one more step she’d fall to the ground, sadness falling over her like a veil and she just wants to go home.

“You okay?” Justin asks, genuine concern in his voice as he hits his own stop and Charlotte’s legs wobble as she steps off her machine.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” she responds soberly, trying to pull air into her lungs as she moves around his machine, not even looking at him.

“You sure?” he asks, moving to step off the belt but she turns, holding up a hand and he’s confused by the look in her eyes; anger mixed with hurt. “You seem-”

“I’m just tired,” she says quickly and the smile she forces doesn’t reach her eyes, doesn’t even come close. “You keep running,” she says giving him a nod. “It’s what you’re good at.”

He gives her a confused look but she just turns away from him and he watches her wobble her way to the back of the room, disappearing into the women’s locker room without even a glance back. He shakes his head, wondering what the hell is going on, how he got so turned around as he climbs back onto his treadmill. He hits the start button and begins at a slow jog. He’s got one mile to go and he’ll spend it trying his damndest not to think about Charlotte in the shower.
Chapter 21 by SomethingBlue42
The offices of Amelia Domineck are quiet and still, the only light in the reception area glowing golden from a desk lamp that sits at Charlotte’s elbow. She sighs heavily, glancing at the clock hanging over the filing cabinets. 7:10. She cranes her neck, trying to listen for any indication that the two women in the other room are beginning to wrap things up.

Patti had come by at 3:30 that afternoon and even Charlotte was slightly stunned by the procession through the front office. Patti had breezed in causing Isabel and Kirsten’s whispering to cease and to sit back primly in their chairs, poising their hands over their keyboards. But their jaws dropped when they saw her arms full of rolls of fabric and behind her trailed three men, brawny and tan, their work boots leaving pitted impressions in the plush cream rug as they each hauled crates that jingled, announcing the delicacy of the cargo inside.

Charlotte had wondered briefly if Patti had merely pulled them off the street, imagining that she’d smiled flirtatiously at them and convinced them to do her bidding simply with the hypnotic sway of her hips. She’d quickly brushed the idea off as ridiculous, forcing her bitterness down as she had watched the men process back through, Patti cooing her thanks after them before pushing Amelia’s door closed. They hadn’t resurfaced all afternoon and as the other assistants took their leave, Charlotte had of course been expected to stay, so stay she would.

Nothing had been mentioned about Charlotte’s outburst the previous week but Amelia had come to show her wrath in other ways. Charlotte had tiptoed around the office for nearly a week now and every day she waited for the moment when Amelia would call her into the office, close the door behind her, and tell her with smug satisfaction that her services were no longer needed. But that hadn’t happened. Instead Amelia preferred a crueler form of torture in which everything Charlotte did was under the utmost scrutiny and nothing, absolutely nothing, she did was right.

She came home every night exhausted, mentally and physically, her head aching nearly as much as her feet from trying to navigate around Amelia’s short temper and the New York City streets, getting her anything and everything she asked for, working tirelessly to make sure it was right. Yet there was always some fault. Just this afternoon she’d been told at nine a.m. to throw together a noon luncheon in the conference room down the hall for nineteen of Amelia’s best A&R reps, a number that left Charlotte just one short of the specified twenty the professional caterer, one Amelia had asked for specifically, insisted on having to cater an event. After begging them to reconsider and apologizing profusely for the short notice, everything had miraculously gone off without a hitch, not so much as a hiccup. After everyone was cleared out and they were back to regular business Amelia had called her into her office, closed the door, and proceeded to screech that the table clothes had been too short for the tables and the food was served on standard china when she’d specifically asked for bone.  Charlotte could only nod and apologize.

This has been her general response to everything lately. There’s only so much she can handle anymore. Nearly a week had gone by with not one mention of “the incident” as she had come to refer to it in her head because calling it a kiss was almost painful. Acknowledging that such an act of passion had passed between she and…him only caused his casual hellos and on the surface ribbing to rip the hole in her chest just a little wider. He’d said nothing, no admonition, no apology, not even an acknowledgement and it seemed that he was doing as he always did: pretending it never happened.

So she did the only thing she felt she could. She pretended he didn’t exist. She hadn’t seen him since the gym on Saturday, sending Lauren or Isabel when Amelia asked her to run something over to his office. On Wednesday, when Amelia had insisted that Charlotte go talk to him about the table settings for the reception, Charlotte had phoned Felicity and asked her to do it, then met her later for lunch to discuss it. The younger girl had probed lightly about Charlotte’s absence but Charlotte had merely brushed it off, steering her into conversations about the wedding and she counted herself lucky that Fee was easily distracted. She had to force herself not to ask her how he was. Did he ask about her? Did her absence hurt him as much as staying away hurt her? But she refrained. There was nothing there her and Justin. He was, after all, engaged. To her boss.

“Charlotte?”

Charlotte jumps, broken from her reverie as the sound of her name comes muffled from behind the door. She stands, smoothing her hands over her skirt, subconsciously wiping away the wrinkles before her fingers wrap around the cool metal of the handle, turning and pushing the door open, peeking inside with caution.

Amelia sits next to Patti on one of the cream leather couches in the center of the room, yards and yards of fabric in every shade of purple and gold imaginable flowing across the coffee table. Boxes of china and silverware sit at their feet, a few plates and forks scattered along the fabric, trying to give them an idea of the effect. Magazines fan out around them as well, some bent back to show a specific page and it literally looks like Pier One exploded.

“I need you to take these to Justin immediately,” Amelia says, reaching for her dainty cup of coffee as Patti gathers rolls of fabric, stacking plates and silverware between them in perfect place settings.

“Oh…” Charlotte says, her face falling slightly, her stomach tying in a knot. “Erm…isn’t he home now?” Charlotte glances at her watch in what she hopes is a causal way. “It’s nearly 7:30.”

“He’s still at his office,” Patti says, stepping wide over the fabric that is spilling onto the floor wobbling on her heels as she stands in front of Charlotte, holding a stack of place settings swathed in fabric. “I just called.”

Of course you did. Charlotte can’t help thinking and she smiles tensely as Patti shifts the stack in her hands, the delicate china jingling beneath the cloth. She can’t help appraising the young woman in front of her, taking in the soft doe brown of her eyes, large and almond shaped, accentuated by the smoky black of her eye shadow. The fullness of her lips pulls tight over her teeth giving Charlotte a tight smile in return and even through her condescension Charlotte can’t help but appreciate her beauty. It figures Justin would want someone like her, someone exotic and sexy. The anti-Amelia, Charlotte thinks bitterly

“Patti’s stacked them in order. Lay each one out for him. Make sure he takes his time looking at them,” Amelia instructs and then sighs as if exhausted, wrinkling her nose at the mess around her. Charlotte shifts her feet.

“If he’s at the office this late isn’t he busy? I mean I can have Lauren take them first thing to-”

Now, Charlotte!” Amelia says, her voice rising, her beautiful face pulling into a look of deep annoyance. “What part of immediately do you not understand? Honestly…”

“She’s going,” Patti says nodding her head soothingly and giving Charlotte a little nudge towards the door that enrages her but she swallows it, biting hard on her tongue until she tastes blood.

She steps out of the office, listening to Patti ensure Amelia that Justin will love them and Amelia’s self-assured “I know” that follows. She shifts the plates in her arms, trying to juggle them so she can grab for her peacoat but the sound of silver sliding against china as the plates tilt screeches in the near silence of the empty room.

“Charlotte is there a problem in there?” Amelia asks, annoyance lacing her voice and Charlotte tenses, shaking her head as if Amelia could see her.

“No…no everything’s fine…just getting the door,” she replies, reaching for the handle, leaving her coat behind. It’ll be a long walk to the subway tonight.

“You wanna hit Nello for dinner?” Charlotte hears Patti ask as she struggles to reach for the handle to close the door behind her.

“No…I have a business dinner,” Amelia replies quickly and Charlotte stops in her struggle, looking up at Amelia’s door perplexed.

Nothing had been on her schedule about a business dinner. Charlotte brushes it off quickly. Amelia probably just didn’t want to be seen out with Patti.

Butterflies the size of pterodactyls beat around in her stomach as she takes the town car up the street to Justin’s office. She watches the city street pass her by, pedestrians strolling along 5th Avenue, native New Yorkers weaving around tourists who stop to gape at the window displays of Saks and Barneys. Every cell in her body is pulling herself back, wishing with all of her might that she wasn’t doing this. She doesn’t want to face him, doesn’t want to deal with the pain and humiliation when he greets her jovially as he always did before, doing his very best to act as if nothing has changed between them. Maybe nothing has for him, but Charlotte can never go back. She’d tried her damndest to avoid this, all this time trying to distance herself from him but she’d gone and fallen for him anyway.

The elevator ride up to his office is too quick, the small lift hurdling her faster and faster toward the inevitable and as she walks down the hallway towards the door of his offices she forces her head high, her shoulders back. She won’t give him the luxury of seeing her so bent out of shape about him. He probably got off on it, having women fall for him left and right. Who can blame him when he’s chained to Amelia like he is?

The thoughts are bitter but hollow. As much as she’d like to believe such things about Justin she knows they aren’t true. Deep down she knows he’s not like that, whether or not she’ll admit it to herself at this point, however, is another story. She braces herself, taking a deep breath as she struggles to open the door to his offices.

***

Justin heaves a heavy sigh as he leans back in his desk chair, his gaze flicking from his computer screen to the darkness of the large window that overlooks Central Park. He sees nothing but the reflection of his office, the rugged leather chairs, the beige rug, the pictures on the walls. Five days. It’d been five days since he’d spoken to Charlotte. Sunday was okay because he never saw her on Sunday and he hadn’t really noticed on Monday until close of business, flicking out his desk light and he’d paused, marveling at how he hadn’t seen her that day. He had shrugged it off. She usually stopped by on Mondays even if it was something trivial, just an excuse to ask him how his weekend was, but she didn’t have to do it. He’d see her on Tuesday. Even when Lauren came by Tuesday afternoon to show him linen samples for the table settings he’d just assumed that it was because Charlotte wasn’t in the office that day; the flu was going around after all. But when he’d told her to tell Charlotte that he hoped she felt better and Lauren had given him a strange look telling him that Charlotte was fine, back at the office working on some call sheets he’d been floored. Charlotte was always the one that dealt with all the wedding crap. By Wednesday he was watching the clock, every passing hour making him more and more anxious. He couldn’t concentrate, constantly wondering where she was, why she hadn’t called, why she hadn’t come by.

He had replayed their last encounter over and over again in his head all day. They had been at the gym. She was on the treadmill next to him. They ran for awhile and then he’d slowed down for her. He’d offered her water. They’d walked together. Sure it was slightly awkward but he’d expected that to some extent. You can’t kiss someone like that and then not have a little awkwardness. Patti had stopped to say hello and then they’d run some more. Then, and this is the part he’d scrutinized the most, turned it over and over again in his head to the point of nausea, she’d stopped abruptly and got off her machine. He’d asked if she was okay and she’d said she was, but there was something in her eyes…

“You keep running. It’s what you’re good at.”

He’d been preoccupied by that yesterday and then well into today. Thursday. The fifth day. He hadn’t talked to her in five days.

It hadn’t taken him long to figure it out once he really started to think on it, when he finally stopped avoiding the inevitable and let the ramifications of his actions settle in. He’d kissed her, whatever that had meant and by not bringing it up, not talking with her about it he’d caused this shift in their relationship. Relationship, defined as two people who are connected, he clarifies to himself. Of course he sees it so plainly now, after the fact, that she had needed something from him. What that was, he still isn’t entirely sure but now with the week having gone and last Sunday slipping further and further into the past he wonders if he’s going to get the chance to make it right. He tells himself she can’t avoid him forever but the words give him no comfort. In any case, what would he say to her? He is split between what he is supposed to do and what he so desperately wants and if he thinks about it for too long his obligations start to seem less and less important. Which is why he didn’t allow himself that luxury.

“You keep running. It’s what you’re good at…”


Even now as he stares out the window, Central Park hidden against the reflection of the room he can’t get her words out of his head and he has never felt more like a coward.

“Fee?”

He jumps, his heart beginning to thump unevenly in his chest as he hears a voice and he immediately recognizes it as hers. He turns, seeing her through his open door, her hair swinging as she looks from side to side, searching half-heartedly for Felicity. His eyes travel the length of her body hungrily, his heart fluttering happily and a grin threatens to split his face in two. She’s here! A swell of relief fills his chest and he realizes suddenly how desperately he’s missed her, the sound of her voice, her smile, the simple act of her swinging by to say hi.

Her eyes finally meet his and he scrambles to stand from his chair but his movements slow as he begins to round the desk and she doesn’t return his smile. It falls slowly from his face as she simply tilts her chin up slightly and takes a deep breath, as if steeling herself before taking cautious punctuated steps into his office.

“Amelia wanted me to bring these to you.”

His brow creases at the hollowness of her voice, the coolness in her demeanor as she breezes past him, setting the pile of fabric in her arms on the corner of his desk and the sound of dinner plates knocking together reverberates in the near silent room. He watches her for a moment, confused and hurt. He thought for sure once he saw her again they’d be able to figure some things out but even standing right next to her he feels as if she’s a million miles away. She won’t be easily swayed. And why should she be? A little voice inside his head tells him she has every right to be angry, every right to pull back and protect herself but the selfish part of him still screams she has no reason to pull away, that he would never hurt her…not intentionally anyway. But he knows as well as any that the best of intentions isn’t always enough.
 
He shakes his head, watching as she unwraps the fabric, revealing silverware sitting atop a plate and lifts the plate, grabbing the fabric beneath with her other hand and laying it at the opposite corner before setting the plate down. His muscles are tight, his mouth dry as he searches for something to say, anything that can break the silence between them. He fears that, left alone, this rift could widen and his throat tightens with nervousness, feeling that it is too wide already. Even now standing next to her, she wasn’t with him. She wasn’t his Charlie and his chest seizes with the fact that he may have screwed up so badly that she never would be again. The thought shocks him slightly, the intensity of it, the desperation lacing through his veins and he wonders when he had become so dependant on her.

She busies herself with setting the silverware around the plates, doing her best to ignore him as he steps up behind her. She tells herself it’s only her imagination that she can smell the clean simple scent of him, feel the warmth of his body and she curses the shiver that quakes through her. She can’t think that way anymore. She shouldn’t have thought that way ever.

“What are they?” he asks, his voice soft and cautious, watching her refuse to look at him, her detachment stinging him deeply and setting him on edge.

“Place settings,” she says, reaching for the next plate and setting it out next to the first. “For the wedding,” she adds, chancing a glance at him but looking away quickly.

Justin nods, crossing his arms over his chest and watching her as she fiddles with the last two settings and then adjusting them all so they’re exactly the same width apart, fussing with the silverware and making sure it’s straight. He doesn’t understand how she can be so cold. How can she have just written him off after one chance encounter at the gym? How was he supposed to bring it up then anyway? “Oh hey Charlie yeah about last night when I had my tongue down your throat…” Hell, it hadn’t even been twenty-four hours at that point. How was he supposed to know how he felt after not even a day had gone by? His conscious screams at him that he should have known the moment it happened and guilt bites at him mercilessly. But it fades slightly as he watches Charlotte tuck her hair behind her ear, her long fingers tangling slightly in the locks before she wiggles them free and he longs to touch her. But every fiber of her being is screaming stay away and he thinks he feels his heart crack. He’s ruined everything. Or he could ruin everything he already has by thinking this way. He’s so fucking confused!

She steps back, her eyes meeting his quickly again, long enough to read the confusion on his face and while he tries to hold her gaze she drops hers to the floor, nodding her head at the spread in front of him. He doesn’t understand. She can sense the perplexity radiating off of him and all that does is enrage her further. How can he be so damn blind?

He shakes his head, his stomach in knots and he wishes he had the answers. He wishes he wasn’t so torn, wishes that Charlotte wasn’t so damn perfect, wishes Amelia was the way she used to be. He grits his teeth forcing these thoughts back but it’s harder this time. The back of his mind is getting crowded and he fears that the dam may soon just break. But for now it holds firm and as he crosses his arms over his chest he surveys the four place settings in front of him. They’re all china, bone white with gold tablewear sitting on deep purple fabric. They all look exactly the same.

“What am I supposed to do?” Justin asks, stepping closer to try and discern any differences but they’re minimal at best.

What is he supposed to do? Should he bring up the kiss? Should he keep things strictly professional? He doesn’t like this, this insecurity. It’s him and Charlie. If there was something he could always count on it was her and he doesn’t like this feeling of detachment. He doesn’t like feeling that even though she is right next to him, a breath away, that he still misses her and he definitely doesn’t like the feeling of guilt that weaves its way through his tangled emotions.

“Look at them,” Charlotte replies and Justin blinks hard, shocked at the edge in her voice before he lets his head turn to her. Her face is blank as she adds, “That was all she said.”

“Oh,” Justin says, nodding slowly and then looking back at the plates, a discomfiting awkwardness settling between them and he can feel the rift rip wider. He scrambles in panic for something to say to try and repair it. “So, she really is going with purple huh?” he jokes and he thinks he hears Charlotte sigh.

“So it would seem,” she replies shortly and he looks at her again, cringing slightly, his skin crawling uncomfortably. This isn’t them. She doesn’t treat him this way.

“Charlie-”

“Don’t call me that,” she says swiftly and his mouth falls open at the shortness in her tone, the fire in her eyes blazing for a second before her mask hardens. “Don’t…don’t call me that.”

Don’t call her that? His breath comes from his lungs in a rush and it feels as if she’d sucker punched him in the middle of the chest, the burn deep between his ribs and his mind is flailing. He can’t lose her. He can’t. He tries to think of what it would be if she stopped coming by, stopped sending him stupid emails, stopped laughing at all his dumb ass jokes. His life stretches out before him one long meeting after another, dinners with Amelia at hip restaurants and Christmas parties where he sipped wine and pretended to be interested in this socialite’s show horse and that debutante’s latest Christie’s acquisition.  He can’t lose her.

“What’s wrong?” he asks finally, his brows creasing and they’re both shocked by the desperation in his voice. He scrambles for coherency. “Charlie-”

“I said don’t call me that!”
she hisses, stepping forward to fiddle with the plates again, her hands shaking as she starts to stack them again.

Her heart breaks at the sound of his voice and it hurts her to say the words but they need to be said. He can’t call her that anymore. They can’t play these games. Because that’s all they’re doing. He is never going to leave Amelia and she isn’t going to be the girl he uses to make himself feel better. She deserves better than that. But even now she can’t say these things, knows how deeply they would hurt him so she takes a page from his book and avoids the subject entirely, forcing them back into neutral territory.

“You…you have a favorite? I can write it down and tell Amelia tomorrow–”

“I don’t care about the plates,” he says, his hands reaching out but he stops as he’s about to touch her, forcing himself not to, trying to think of how to fix this.

“–or if you can’t decide then maybe I can tell her which two you like and you can discuss it over lunch–“

“Charlotte, I don’t care,” Justin says, the manic movements of her hands making him jittery, the clatter of silverware against plates jarring his senses. “Stop–“

“–I don’t think she has lunch plans for tomorrow–”

“I SAID I DON’T CARE ABOUT THE FUCKING PLATES!” Justin yells and the harshness in his voice startles her, causing one of the delicate plates to slip from her fingers and the edge bangs against the edge of his desk, chipping the wood as the porcelain breaks and the pieces fall to the floor.

“Shit,” Charlotte mutters, dropping to her knees immediately, reaching for the pieces, her fingers coming up to rub against the scarred wood at the edge of his desk.

“Don’t worry about it,” Justin says, dropping down as well, reaching for the piece of china just as she does and his hand brushes hers. They snatch back as if they’d been burned, their eyes crashing into each other.

“I’ve got it,” Charlotte says, dropping her eyes immediately and she reaches for the broken piece quickly.

“No you’ll cut yourself. Let me–”

“I said I got it!” Charlotte says forcefully and Justin sighs in annoyance, standing back.

He watches her, his chest heaving slightly and he reaches up to rub at his cheek, scratchy under his fingers from a day’s growth of beard. She reaches for all the pieces, making sure she has them all and cradles them against her stomach as she stands, looking at the broken pieces in her hands. She’s closed off to him, a wall firmly in place and he can’t take it. He needs her. She can’t do this to him. She can’t just shut down and expect him to give up. They have to be all right. Through his panic, he knows he shouldn’t feel this way about Charlotte, is coming to understand that his attachment to her is more than just an ally against the life he can’t control. He shouldn’t need her this way. But he does…so where does that leave them? Where does that leave him?

“Like I said I can put you on her schedule for lunch and you two can discuss it,” she says, her voice quiet and calculating as if she’s barely in control of it.

He grits his teeth, anger stinging inside him, an entire week’s worth of confusion and speculation washing over him. How can she just throw all of it away? The months of banter and ribbing how can she write it all of so easily? Surely if he feels this attached to her she must feel some attachment to him.

“What the fuck’s going on,” he spats with a little more venom then he intended and Charlotte’s eyes widen. “I mean you haven’t been by in a week,” he adds more softly this time, his chest tightening as he watches her head fall back, sighing in an exhausted way he’s seen from Amelia on more than one occasion and the anger swells. “You send fucking Lauren to drop wedding shit off. You haven’t called¬–”

“What do you want from me Justin?” Charlotte asks finally allowing her eyes to meet his and she looks defeated, tired, and most of all hurt which causes his own chest to burn.

“I…” he trails and then cuts himself off.

What did he want from her? She blinks at him slowly, awaiting his explanation, his excuse and he has none. Other than he’s missed her. Other than he’s been lost all week without being able to talk to her. He’s wandered around aimlessly, without focus and without purpose, his only thought being when he could tell her about the dorky accountant in his Tuesday meeting breaking his pen and getting blue ink all down his shirt, or Felicity filing his business lunch receipt under L for lunch or any of the other stupid shit that wasn’t really all that funny until she laughed at it.

“Exactly,” she says, letting the pieces of china fall onto his desktop, the sound deafening and she sighs, shaking her head, hating herself for thinking that he’d tell her, finally tell her…

What? That he loved her? Quit dreaming Charlie, she chastises bitterly and she grits her teeth against the pain that blooms in her chest. She really needs to quit calling herself that. She turns abruptly, fully prepared to stomp from the room. She can’t take this tonight, it’s late and she just…she can’t do this right now. But her breath steals as she feels his fingers wrap around her wrist, his calloused fingertips pressing into the delicate skin of her inner wrist and his grip is firm, tugging her back.

“Let me go!” she spats, fighting the lump in her throat as she shakes him off violently, her other hand slapping hard at his chest and he takes a step back, shocked at her outburst.

“What the hell is wrong with you?” he asks, his voice gruff and angry, annoyed by her actions and by his own confusion.

His eyes widen as she whirls around, her green eyes blazing in the near darkness of the room and when she steps into the light thrown by his small desk lamp his heart breaks at the agony contorting her face.

“What the hell is wrong with me?” she asks disbelief ringing in her words and she scoffs bitterly. “What the fuck is wrong with you?”

Now it’s his turn for disbelief. “What?”

“You fucking kiss me and then…and then…what?” she exclaims flustered and he feels his cheeks blaze, looking away from her to scratch at his ear. “Oh you don’t wanna talk about that do you?”

He looks up at her shocked by the bitterness in her voice and she’s looking right through him, seeing him fully and he’s suddenly ashamed, ashamed that he cheated, that he hurt her, that all he ever fucking does anymore is run away.

“No, no you don’t wanna think about it right?” she asks, sarcasm making her voice hard and he frowns. “Just push that into the back of your mind, pretend it didn’t happen.”

“That’s not-”

“Don’t fucking say that’s not what you’re doing!” she yells and she curses the break in her voice but he looks down chastised and she knows she’s made her point.

“Charlotte I never meant to hurt you,” he says softly and she lets her head turn to the side, gritting her teeth hard against the pain.

He really hadn’t meant to hurt her. He would never do that. He…he cared about her. A lot. But what did he mean by kissing her. It didn’t have a meaning at the time. He’d just done it. It’d been as natural to him as playing his piano, as singing, as breathing. But it’s now that he realizes that it was all fraught with meaning. What the meaning was he didn’t know. Or he refused to let himself know. He winces as the dam busts a hole and he begins to tread water.

“Yeah, of course, right,” she says, turning to leave again, stomping toward the door but he catches her again and this time she isn’t able to wrench her arm free.

“Charlie–“

“NO!” she yells and she feels his body jerk in shock but he doesn’t let go of her arm. “You never meant to hurt me? That’s all you have to say? That’s fine. That’s fucking fine, Justin. You go on about your business, living in your little dream world and I’ll just bring by the cake samples and the seating charts and we’ll pretend that Amelia actually fucking cares about what you think–”

“Hey!” Justin exclaims, his brows furrowing deeply almost letting her go from the shock of her hateful words but Charlotte doesn’t stop.

“And you can pretend that this fucking fiasco is what you want and just let her treat you like a goddamn dog–”

“That’s enough Charl–” he tries to respond gruffly but she raises her voice over his until she’s yelling, unable to stop herself.

“–and we’ll both keep running on the pretense that you’re not about to ruin your fucking life by marrying someone who doesn’t even fucking love you.”

The silence around them is potent, both just staring at the other and Charlotte is slightly horrified, her chest heaving from the effort of finally saying the words that she’s been holding back for months. Justin merely blinks at her, his face showing shock and disbelief and they don’t move for what feels like days. He blinks slowly back at her, her words washing over him, catching and tearing at his heart and he’s angry. Beyond angry, the kind of anger that can only be fueled by hurt. Then he does something completely unexpected. He laughs, the kind of laugh you emit when you’re feeling so much that your body gets confused. It’s bitter and humorless and his eyes are deadly as he looks at her.

“You got some balls sayin’ some shit like that to me.”

His voice is rough and angry and Charlotte knows that it’s over. She’s not entirely sure what “it” is but the anger in his words holds a certain finality. It cuts her to the bone, ripping open her chest and it takes every ounce of willpower to keep from crying. Instead she lets out a mirthless laugh of her own as she begins to turn away.

“Yeah well at least one of us has a pair.”

She’s spun so quickly she doesn’t fully understand what is happening until Justin’s tongue slides forcefully into her mouth, his hands pressing hard against the sides of her face and she can’t fight back, despite her better judgment doesn’t want to, and she loses herself in the taste of him. Her fingers delve up into his hair, tugging wickedly and the groan that pulls from his throat is primal.

Her nails rip across the back of his neck, her heart threatening to bust out of her ribcage as he kisses her over and over, his lips warm and wet against hers. She tastes like summer to him, like that first cup of coffee after working all night in the studio, like the ocean and every good memory he’s ever had. And he wants her. He wants her, doesn’t care what that might mean, what it might cause, what it might damage.

His hands comb back through her hair, wrapping tightly in her locks, tugging her head back so his lips can trail along her jaw, desperate for her skin. He feels her pulse drumming against his tongue, her hands smoothing over his shoulders and reaching for handfuls of his shirt, the hiss of her nails scratching against fabric sounding along with their panting breaths.

“Justin,” she breathes weakly and his mouth is back on hers, swallowing her whimper as his hands journey down her back, the soft cotton of her blouse cool when all he wants is the heat of her skin. She wonders briefly where her conscience has gone and whether or not she even cares. But as she lets her hands smooth down his chest, feeling the hardness of his muscles as they slide over one another with every breath he takes the thought slips away. Her hands smooth around the dip of his waist and up his back, wide and warm under the crisp linen of his dress shirt and she can’t think with his tongue twisting around hers like it is.

His hands grow bolder, passion coursing through his veins and he’s gripping her hips, fingertips pressing into her flesh and when his hands slip around to grip her ass he gasps into her mouth and it’s almost enough to send him over the edge. She squeals lightly as he pulls her up, his knees bending slightly to lift her from the floor and it’s instinct when her legs lock around his waist.

Her hands go to his face, holding it in her hands to steady them, to keep his mouth on hers as he stumbles back towards the desk. She gasps as he sets her down, his hands shoving the plates out of the way impatiently and neither of them care as the sound of shattering china sounds all around them. Her legs part, allowing him to stand between them and her head falls back, pleasure rushing through her at the feel of him pressing intimately against her.

They’re on autopilot now, her hands trembling as she works the knot on his tie, his fingers fumbling with the buttons of her blouse. Their mouths bump, nipping at each others’ lips as he forces her skirt up her thighs and she’s pushing his shirt off his shoulders. He growls, his nails snagging on the mesh of her panty hose, reaching for the waist band and trying to pull them down as she shoves up his undershirt. He gets impatient when her hands smooth up his chest, his fingers curling in the netting and they’re in shreds by the time he gets them off her legs.

Charlotte’s hands are shaking so hard she can barely undo his belt, the jingle of the buckle echoing in her head and she knows this is wrong but the desperation on his face as his fingers hook in the elastic of her panties, the urgency of his kiss as he rips them down her legs is enough to shove all this to the back of her mind. Her body is humming, forcing his hands away from her so she can get his shirt off his arms. He growls, the rolled sleeves catching on his forearms and she’d giggle at how funny he looks trying to shake it off but she’s speechless when he crosses his arms over his body and rips his undershirt over his head.

She gasps as his mouth meets hers again, his chest warm against her skin and her head hangs back as his lips trail down her neck, his large hands smoothing her blouse from her shoulders and she shakes the fabric from her arms before allowing her arms to curl under his shoulders, nails skittering down his back.

He sucks sweetly at the crook of her neck, his hand smoothing wide and warm up her spine, smirking at her gasp as he flicks open her bra with two fingers. The fabric falls away and his hands cover her breasts, soft and warm, fitting perfectly into his palm. He marvels at the softness of her skin, the pliability of her flesh as he squeezes gently, his palms teasing her nipples. All the fleeting thoughts of her skin and her body culminate in this one moment and he never thought he’d see her like this. He never dreamed she’d feel this good, that she’d be this beautiful. She whimpers, her hips pressing forward as her mouth finds his again.

He’s on fire now, reaching down to flick open the button of his pants, forcing them down along with his boxers and he’s not thinking. He doesn’t care, doesn’t care, doesn’t care as he grips her calf, pulling her to the edge of the desk, forcing her skirt higher and higher as he guides himself to her entrance.

Charlotte gasps as the smoothness of the head rubs against her folds, shocks of pleasure pricking through her and he’s trembling against her, his forehead pressed to hers. She hears his teeth grit as he slips the tip in, her hand going to the back of his neck to steady herself while the other clutches as his bicep, feeling the muscle bulge with his strain.

He’s inside her in one long stroke a deep moan pulling from her chest and his head is spinning. He’s close already, the feel of her, warm and wet surrounding him and he hasn’t felt pleasure like this in for-fucking-ever. He tries to remember the last time he’d had sex…four months ago? Five? He isn’t entirely sure and the edge is so close… but he grits his teeth, forcing himself to think of anything but Charlotte’s breath on his shoulder, her body snug around his.

“Jesus, Charlie,” he groans and she whimpers at the sound of her name pulled from the back of his throat, her hips restless against his, hands pawing at his shoulders. “God, are you okay?” he asks suddenly, his hips starting to pull back, a habit from being with–

But her hands clutch at his skin, her hips trying to press forward to receive him again.

“Please,” she finds herself saying, her nose nuzzling against his, lips brushing his and the hand on her thigh squeezes hard, a low moan pulling from his chest as he presses deep into her. “Please.”

He pulls back slowly, pressing in again and he sees stars, his heart hammering in his chest and Charlotte trembles against him, her legs wrapping around his waist. He can’t do this. He wants it to last, he never wants this feeling to end, her hands in his hair, on his arms, nails scratching down his back as he moves slowly. He could listen to her forever, her breath panting in his ear, whimpers and whines pulling from the back of her throat. His hips speed, unable to hold back and her whimpers increase to moans, her legs tightening around his waist.

“Oh God, Justin,” she moans, her head falling back and he bites his bottom lip hard, trying to force himself back from the edge but he can feel it coming.

Charlotte lets out a cry of surprise when he pulls out completely, panting hard and she whines pitifully, hands pawing at his chest feebly. His mouth presses to hers, trying to shush her, the hand on her thigh moving between her legs. Her back arches, his long fingers reaching deep as his thumb circles her clit slowly, letting out a low groan at the loss of his own pleasure but enjoying the feel of her want for him.

Justin watches her slightly mesmerized, her eyes closed, her head tipped back in ecstasy. It’d been so long since he’d given a woman this much pleasure. He’d almost forgotten, as sad as that was. He’d always fancied himself a capable lover and it was only recently that he’d somehow fallen into a rut. But now, watching Charlotte’s mouth part in pleasure he can feel a little of his old self coming back. Her tongue snakes out to lick her lips, her breath panting and she whimpers his name again, sending a shiver down his spine. The desperation in her voice drives him, pushes his mind to the deep places he hadn’t let himself go. He needs her and now he’s beginning to think that maybe she needs him too. The thought sends a thrill down his spine, making him twitch with want. If she needs it he’s going to give it to her. He wants to make her scream.

His fingers leave her, causing another pitiful whimper to pull from her chest but it quickly drowns into a moan as he plants his hands on either side of her hips and slides in swiftly, the pleasure causing his head to drop to her shoulder. Her hand delves into his hair, fingers tangling in his curls as he drives into her forcefully, sharp cries pulling from her throat.

“Fuck…” he pants, desperation crawling over his skin and he pushes her back, shoving the desk lamp out of the way as he climbs over her, throwing them into darkness.

“Oh god,” she groans, feeling his body settle over hers and the intense pleasure of his hips crashing into hers causes her head to thrash. “Please…please I’m so…” she gasps, pleasure tightening her muscles and he shivers as her body pulls at him.

“Charlotte,” he whispers, his face burying in her neck as his hips work hard against hers, feeling her body coil tighter and tighter and by the hitching of her breath he can tell she’s almost there. “God, Charlie…”

A shout tears from her throat as her legs lock around his waist, her orgasm shooting like fire through her veins and the pleasure is so intense, so virile that she can’t breathe. He’s moaning now with every thrust, his hips moving so fast she can barely tell when he’s entering and leaving her, her body still tingling with pleasure.  He lets out a strangled sob, his back going ridged and after one last bone crushing thrust, she gasps as she feels him spill into her. His body presses hard and deep into hers, his mind going blank as white light blooms behind his closed lids. He clutches her hard to his chest, his eyes squeezing shut and he feels as if his body is being wrung out like a sponge, every last ounce of pleasure draining from his muscles.

His hips give one last involuntary push, his body trembling and shaking over hers as her hand moves weakly through his hair. He pulls back slightly, his tongue snaking out to lick his dry lips as his head starts to clear and the ramifications of what just occurred start to wash over him. What the hell did he just–

But the thought cuts off as Charlotte whimpers softly, wiggling so that her nose nuzzles his cheek and he can think of nothing else as her lips find his in the darkness.
Chapter 22 by SomethingBlue42
The Vivace Building looms tall over Fifth Avenue, the windows glinting brightly in the late morning sunshine. It’s warm for late winter, the March air crisp and fresh but Charlotte trembles slightly looking up at the vast structure in front of her. She’s been standing here for about twenty minutes now, her legs like lead, her throat dry. The large clock on the front of the building shows twenty past eleven and she does her best to swallow the lump in her throat.

Last night… last night…

She can’t even finish the thought. It’s all a blur, hands and skin and breaking china, the moment suspended in her mind forever and she can still feel the ache between her legs, her body unaccustomed to such an intrusion after so long without it. But the rest of her hums, sated and content like a plant that’s finally been watered after months and months of drought. If only her mind was at peace, if only her guilt could be quelled.

She doesn’t remember a lot of what happened afterwards, just the scramble for her clothes, a few stammered goodbyes. She doesn’t even think she had met his eyes before she left and the weight of what they’d done hadn’t hit her until she’d reached her apartment building. She’d had sex with Justin. On his desk. They’d had sex.

Charlotte cringes, feeling horribly exposed in the bright morning sunshine as if everyone can see her secret, as if she has a giant scarlet letter stamped on her forehead. She’d sat on her sofa for a good twenty minutes once she’d gotten home, replaying it over and over again in her head, not just the act but what had led up to it. Her frustration with him and her resolve to let him go and how it had all culminated in her finally telling him how she felt, really being truly honest with him. And then…and then…

She hadn’t slept, her mind furiously going over everything, her stomach in knots. How could she have let this happen? After everything she’d gone through that week with the kiss and the silence and the hurt she’d gone and opened herself up even more. She’d let him in and given him a piece of herself she couldn’t get back. She felt it now, as she always did after she’d slept with someone, that fierce sense of belonging to him. He had claimed her and she had surrendered so completely, let him take her, all of her and she hadn’t realized it until around six a.m. watching as daylight began to climb the walls. It was then that it had really started to hurt, when the realization had crashed down on her that she belongs to him. Belongs to him in that way that can only truly happen when you let someone in like that. In her own mind she was his but he can never be hers. He belongs to someone else.

She’d lain there for awhile longer, her heart in tatters, helpless as the tears had leaked out the corners of her eyes, zigzagging back to her hairline, dripping into her ears. But she didn’t roll over, refused to bury her face in her pillow and really allow herself to sob. She’d done this to herself. She could have pushed him away, told him no, made him stop but she hadn’t. She hadn’t wanted to. She’d wanted all of him, dreamed of it for so long and then there he was, mouth on hers, body inside hers and it had just felt so good. If only she could have been prepared for the fall. Be careful what you wish for.

Once she’d composed herself enough to keep her voice steady she’d called the office, telling the answering machine she wasn’t going to make it in today; she had that flu that was going around. She didn’t even have to pretend to cough, the rough sound of her voice as it grated against her vocal cords was foreign and weak, exhausted and broken.

She couldn’t face Amelia. She could barely even think her name without the guilt wrenching the air from her lungs. As much as she hated Amelia, as much as she didn’t understand her or thought she was a spoiled princess she still couldn’t justify what she’d done to her. Amelia trusted her, trusted her with some of the most intimate parts of her life, with her wedding for crissake! Charlotte had always been taught that you don’t take what’s not yours, be it toys on the playground or boys in the bedroom and up until last night it had been her strong opinion that a woman who helped a man cheat was worse than him. She’d always thought herself better than that, thought she had more respect for her fellow woman, even if it was Amelia.

She’d finally drifted off to sleep around nine but had been woken up not twenty minutes later by the jaunty polka blaring from her cellphone. She’d nearly vomited when Amelia’s voice had screeched at her through the line, asking her where she was and saying that she needed her. Charlotte had been too shocked to try and explain, just listened in bewilderment, as Amelia demanded she be there within the hour and then hung up abruptly.

Charlotte hadn’t even questioned it, just got up and began to dress. It was only when she was sitting on the subway, hurdling faster and faster toward Manhattan that she wondered why she jumped whenever Amelia asked, why Amelia’s word was law and she just laid down and took whatever she dished out. But questioning such things made her think of Justin and the ominous roll of her stomach that came with thoughts of him made her abruptly change her train of thought. She just had to get through this day. It was Friday. One more day and she’d have the weekend to wallow in her own misery.

But now, standing in front of her building, the windows winking in the bright sunlight she wishes she’d stayed in bed. What was she thinking? She isn’t even sure she can look Amelia in the face much less do her bidding all day. The clock now reads eleven-thirty and she is sure they’re all wondering where she is. Swallowing hard she trudges towards the doors, giving a weak smile to the guard as she passes his desk and steps into the elevators.

She closes her eyes against the pull of gravity as the lift pulls her high and higher, towards Amelia, towards every place she doesn’t want to be. She feels too warm, her palms sweaty as she walks down the hall, pausing to take a deep breath before entering the office.

It’s a flurry of activity inside, the phone ringing shrilly, Lauren answering “Amelia Domineck’s office please hold,” over and over again, Isabel searching frantically through the filing cabinet and Kirsten’s nervous stammer wafting out Amelia’s open office door. Charlotte steps in cautiously, almost as if she thinks she would burst into flames simply by stepping foot in here, Amelia’s territory.

A sick part of her mind sounds that she’d already encroached on the most sacred of Amelia’s domain but she pushes that thought down along with the bile in her throat, the guilt almost suffocating. She breaks out in a cold sweat as Amelia storms out of her office, papers clutched in her hand and Kirsten follows nervously.

“Honestly Kirsten, how hard is it to-” Amelia’s voice stops abruptly as her eyes fall on Charlotte, blinking slowly as if seeing an apparition and then her eyes blaze.

Charlotte’s knees go weak and a horrible thought crosses her mind. What if she knows? Amelia has eyes and ears everywhere and she and Justin certainly hadn’t been quiet about it. She feels her legs tremble and she worries they won’t hold her. She wonders for maybe the millionth time in the past twelve hours, what the hell had she been thinking. She opens her mouth to speak but the only thing she succeeds in doing is pulling in a ragged breath, much like the one’s she taken when Justin was on top of her, his body drawing pleasure from hers she’d never dreamed of. She snaps her mouth shut again, balling her fists at her side in order to try and fight the tremble in them.

“Where have you been, Charlotte!” Amelia screeches and all motion stops, the other three girls pausing in their tasks to watch, the phone still ringing shrilly, Lauren and Isabel sharing a conspiratory smile.

“I…I…” Charlotte stutters and then swallows hard as Amelia raises an eyebrow.

“Good lord you look horrible,” Amelia says, her brows creasing as her nose wrinkles slightly.

“Didn’t…didn’t you get my message?” Charlotte asks weakly and Amelia’s eyes narrow, turning towards Lauren whose smug smile of satisfaction slides right off her face.

“No…” Amelia says, her voice low and dangerous and Lauren swallows hard. “Did you check the answering machine when you came in?”

“Um…”

“Lauren, what is your job exactly?” Amelia asks and Charlotte allows her eyes to close for a moment, the continuous ringing of the phone causing her skin to crawl.

“I…I answer the phones,” Lauren says softly.

“You answer the phones,” Amelia confirms with a condescending nod. “Since the answering machine really has nothing at all to do with the phone I can see how you might be confused as to what you’re supposed to do when the little red light blinks, as it is doing right now as you can see. You’re supposed to listen to the messages, write them down, and give them to me. Did you miss that day at secretary college?”

Charlotte is fairly sure no one in the room is breathing, the only sound being that of the phone that is still ringing shrilly, over and over in a steady rhythm, like the rhythm of Justin’s hips pounding into hers. She raises her hand to her forehead rubbing hard, tears pricking at the corners of her eyes and she can’t breathe. She can’t think like this. Not here. Not with Amelia standing five feet from her.

“Well, are you going to get that?” Amelia asks finally and the spell is broken, Lauren snatching up the receiver quickly, Isabel turning back to her files and Kirsten scurrying back to her desk, trying to look busy. “Charlotte. In my office.”

Amelia gives a quick jerk of her head as she glides back through her office door and Charlotte stumbles after her, her legs like jelly. She watches Amelia sit behind her desk, flicking her bangs out of her eyes as she drops the papers in her hands with a sigh. If she knew she’d ask her to shut the door wouldn’t she? Or at least send the other girls out somewhere, right? Surely Amelia wouldn’t want anyone to know that her fiancé had cheated on her with the help. She’s so confused she doesn’t know what to believe anymore. Charlotte takes a few more steps into the room, reaching for the back of one of the soft leather couches to steady herself.

“God Charlotte you look like you’re going to be ill,” Amelia says, her tone slightly disgusted. “Sit down before you pass out on the carpet.”

Charlotte does her best to breathe deep, falling not at all gracefully into one of the chairs in front of Amelia’s desk and its then that she notices the giant floral arrangement behind her. There must be six-dozen roses in it.

“Do you have that thing that’s going around?” Amelia asks uninterestedly and then sighs. “Justin was throwing up all night.” She shakes her head.

Charlotte’s body jerks at the sound of his name, her mouth falling open. He was sick all night? She looks down in her lap, forcing the tears back, trying to calm her breathing, trying to keep her heart from beating its way out of her chest. Sex with her was enough to make him vomit. Great. But she knows this isn’t the case, not really. She knows Justin, knows deep down that he’s a good man, knows that her guilt is most likely nothing compared to what he’s going through. A new pain surfaces with this thought, pain at the realization that what happened last night was nothing more than a mistake in his mind, something to be forgotten and apologized for. It meant nothing.

“Although he must be feeling better today,” Amelia says glancing over her shoulder, a small smile pulling at her lips as she turns back to the papers in front of her. “These were here for me when I got in this morning.”

Now Charlotte is sure she’s going to be ill. She drove him to send Amelia flowers. A surge of anger rushes through her and she has to set her jaw to keep her scoff of indignation at bay. He’s running back to Amelia? But really should she have expected any less? After all they are engaged and all he and Charlotte had was something quick and dirty on his desk. She should be disgusted with herself for becoming nothing more than another one of his throwaway girls but even thinking back on it now she can feel her body begin to warm. His hands were so strong and capable, his fingers long and nimble and when he’d touched her so intimately she’d almost been pacified over the loss of his body in hers...almost.

Her brain snaps back suddenly, biting her bottom lip hard as she looks across the desk at Amelia. She looks disgruntled but not angry and Charlotte would like to think that if Amelia knew what had happened last night that she would be playing it a lot cooler, throwing off that sophisticated detachment she is so known for. But Charlotte doesn’t even pretend to understand Amelia or really attempt to discern her moods and motives anymore.

“Well since you’re obviously not going to be of much use feeling the way you do I guess you can go home,” Amelia says reluctantly and Charlotte lets out a slow sigh of relief. “I just...” Amelia sighs dramatically. “I just really need you to do a few things? Do you think you’re up to it?”

Her tone suggests that if she isn’t up to it Charlotte needs to suck it up and do it anyway. She sighs. “Yes, Amelia, what do you need?”

“I need you to go down to Tiffany and Bloomingdales and pick up four more of the china that you brought to Justin last night.”

Charlotte’s fingers curl around the arms of her chair, her green eyes going wide as she watches Amelia flick through a file on her desk. Her heart feels as if it’s going to beat its way out of her ribcage and she keeps her teeth clenched as sweat breaks out on her forehead, her entire body beginning to tremble. She does not breathe.

“After you left he apparently went to kick his legs up on his desk, which I have told him numerous times NOT to do, and tipped back too far,” she rolls her eyes. “He grabbed onto his calendar to keep from falling but only succeeded in breaking every single one,” she pauses for a moment seething, then flicking papers again quickly. “Oh and could you stop by Sharper Image and pick up a new desk lamp for him. He managed to break that too. I swear that man¬–” she pauses abruptly as she looks up at Charlotte. “Maybe you should go get your trashcan, you look like you’re about to–”

“I’m fine,” Charlotte says quickly, her voice a dry rasp and she forces a smile that looks more like a grimace, reaching for a notepad on Amelia’s desk and snatching up a pen. “More plates, g-got it.”

“And I’ll need you to call Arthur to set up a lunch meeting for tomorrow. Lauren is obviously incapable. If you could go down to the studio on East 86th and check to see if that one girl is doing anything. I’ve been waiting for demos from her for two weeks now. Oh and I’ll need you to check with Felicity and see if Justin has his flight for Los Angeles.”

Charlotte’s mind jars. “Los Angeles?”

“Yes,” Amelia says, glancing at her briefly. “He’ll be gone all next week.”

“Oh,” Charlotte says softly, looking down at her lap, her hand shaking as she writes the word “flight” at the bottom of her list.

He isn’t even going to be here. She won’t see him again for a whole other week. She’s caught between relief and sorrow, her heart tugging and pulling in two different directions. She’s comforted by the fact that she doesn’t have to face him quite yet, relieved that she’ll have some time to get her head on straight because god knows if she saw him now she’d burst into tears, or worse throw up on his shoes. But the pain is sharp when she realizes how far away he’ll be and though she knows she needs time, time away, time to think, time to adjust, that part of her that she gave to him is calling to her from wherever he is, begging her to come back to him.

“Please make sure it leaves early on Sunday. He doesn’t need to be driving during rush hour traffic. Why he insists on driving while he’s there anyway I’ll never know. While you’re at it make sure that he’s staying at a hotel that is fairly close to downtown. And kind of get an idea about what Felicity plans on doing while she’s there. I don’t need him running all around Los Angeles by himself because that girl wants to go to the beach.” Amelia scoffs. “That’s all.”

Charlotte nods, ripping the paper from the notepad and dropping it back on Amelia’s desk, her hands steady for the first time in hours. She feels calmer now that she has a task, a purpose other than just pining after him or dreading their inevitable first encounter. She sits quietly at her desk, reaching for the phone trying her best to ignore the curious looks from the other girls and just do the work she has to do.

“Amelia,” Isabel’s voice is small and quiet as she peeks her head around Amelia’s office door. “The girls and I were wondering if it was okay to take our lunches together today? Since Charlotte’s here she can answer the phones.”

Charlotte hears Amelia’s annoyed sigh as she dials Arthur’s office number. “I guess that’s alright.”

Charlotte snorts as she listens to the ring of the phone, watching the girls grin and giggle as they gather their designer purses, chattering girlishly as they file their way out of the office, glancing down their noses at her as she leaves a message for Arthur to call her back. But she doesn’t have much time to think on it, the phone ringing again almost as soon as it’s hung up.

She’s so busy fielding calls and taking messages she doesn’t notice the office door open and it’s only as she’s hanging up again that her breath catches in her throat, seeing Justin standing bewildered in the doorway. He looks haggard and worn, deep black rings pitted under his bloodshot eyes and his face is pale against the black leather of his jacket. But this is all secondary to the fact that his once curly head is now shaved close to his scalp and he brings a hand up to rub over it self-consciously, his eyes immediately falling to the floor.

His heart thumps unevenly in his chest, roaring in his ears and he struggles to regain his composure. He hadn’t expected to see her, was sure she’d taken a sick day when Amelia had called to thank him for the flowers and she’d complained that Charlotte still wasn’t in yet. He wasn’t ready to see her, wasn’t ready to deal with this yet.

After they’d dressed and she’d stammered her goodbye he’d sat at his desk for a good hour just staring at the havoc around him. Pieces of broken china littered the floor and his desk lamp lay bent and cracked next to his desk. What had he done?  Thoughts had flickered in and out of his mind, excuses and explanations stumbling over one another but his brain was fuzzy and sated, his body still humming. He hadn’t had sex in five months. Six? Seven? Fuck he didn’t even remember and Charlotte had pissed him off beyond rational thought. Charlotte…

He’d walked home, the length of Fifth Avenue nowhere near long enough and when he’d stared up at his building, their building the guilt was enough to eat him alive. How could he have done that to her? His girl was upstairs, in bed waiting for him and he’d gone and fucked some girl in his office and what was his excuse? Just that he hadn’t had sex in awhile, that Charlotte had pissed him off? God, Charlie… He’d shivered, trying to banish it from his mind but it lingered, his head swimming, treading water.

The apartment was quiet when he’d entered, the lights dim and every step he took up the marble staircase was like marching up to the gallows. He had wiped his hand across his mouth as he’d reached their bedroom door, as if he could wipe away her kiss, wipe away what they’d done but there was nothing he could do. Amelia had been in bed, a book in her lap and when she looked up at him and gave him a small smile of acknowledgement his stomach and turned so quickly that he had to run to the bathroom, his knees bruising as they slammed against the floor to allow him to retch into the toilet.

He’d insisted he was fine, telling her it was that flu that had been going around and muttered something about not wanting her to catch it before he’d closed the bathroom door and stepped into the shower. He’d stood in there for what seemed like days, scrubbing his skin raw as he let the water scald him but he couldn’t cleanse his conscience and he could never take back what he did.

Afterward he’d banished himself to the guestroom, curling up on the hard mattress and begging sleep to come but it didn’t, his stomach too upset to allow him peace; there was no sleep for the wicked after all. He’d stared up at the ceiling for hours, his guilt holding him hostage but worse than the guilt was the memory replaying over and over again in his mind the rip of her nails and the sound of her moans. His body had responded against his will, which only made him retch again, anger and helplessness ripping his chest to shreds.

But something else burned him besides the guilt, something deep in his chest that he didn’t want to acknowledge and that was the tiny hole from the piece of himself he’d given away that night. Even then in his most tormented state when he’d wanted to hate her, wanted to blame all of this on her he couldn’t. He cared for her too much and the tenderness he’d always felt towards Charlotte was deeper now, evocative and fierce and he’d almost forgotten how the first time with someone new made him feel. Vulnerable as if she had taken part of the protective shield around his heart and she could get in whenever she wished.

He hadn’t slept, played possum when Amelia had come in to check on him in the morning. His stomach had tipped violently when she’d pressed her lips softly to his temple, her fingers running through his hair like her fingers had ran through his hair not twelve hours before but he hadn’t moved, waited for the soft snap of the door closing behind her and her heels echoing down the hall before he couldn’t hold back anymore and stumbled back into the bathroom to dry heave into the bowl.

It was then that he’d resolved to make it right, his mind working frantically thinking that if he did just the right thing that he’d be absolved. Somewhere deep in the back of his mind softly called that nothing could rectify this, years of heartbreak and sleepless nights over women who’d done him wrong gnawing at him but he refused to admit that the damage had been done. He could fix this.

The cold buzz of the clippers against his head was like a baptism and he’d kept his eyes on his hands, watching as his hair fell in soft curls into the sink. He’d hung his head when it was finished and then he finally looked up into his own eyes, seeing the man he was, the coward that he was. He’d make this right. He had to. He’d called the florist, ordering as many dozen roses as they could fit in a vase, only the reddest of the red for his girl. His mind had stumbled when they’d asked him what he wanted on the card and a thousand outrageous scenarios had raced through his mind. Sorry I fucked your assistant. He’d had to close his eyes and breathe deep through his nose to quell his nausea before he could continue on. He’d opted for a simple “Love, Justin” and left it at that.

But his guilt could not be quelled. He’d lolled around the apartment all morning, exhausted but unable to rest, his mind fuzzy and listless and he found that he was unable to control his train of thought. Remembrances of Charlotte’s skin and hair, the taste of her lips, the feel of her body snug and warm around his could not be pushed back and neither could the uneven beat of his heart with every thought of her. He couldn’t wait to see her again, his heart tugging itself to shreds at the mere thought of spending the next week three thousand miles away. Although the better part of him, the man that was still passionately in love with Amelia knew that he needed the time away, needed the space to get his emotions in check. No contact was the way to go with this situation he thought, trying to drown out the small voice in the back of his head that called him a coward. But a string of business meetings in Los Angeles seemed drab and colorless without even the possibility of a phone call back to the city to regale her with whatever amusing thing had happened to him that day.

But he couldn’t think that way. Not anymore. He’d left the apartment with no particular agenda, walked aimlessly down Fifth Avenue and through the park before weaving back again and when he’d seen Harry Winston he couldn’t help stopping in. Common sense told him he’d spent too much as he rode the elevator up to Amelia’s office but his guilt shouted back that he didn’t have enough money in the world to make this right. He’d had every intention to take her to lunch, although he was sure he wouldn’t be able to eat but she always enjoyed him surprising her…well as long as it was a good surprise. Common sense was beginning to come around to the fact that maybe he’d spent just enough.

But all his thoughts are shattered and splintered now, his atonement partially forgotten as he takes in Charlotte’s haggard appearance. Her dark hair is lank, her skin sallow and she looks like she hasn’t slept. Her dress shirt is rumpled and its like a punch in the gut when he finds her neck bare, the small v of open buttons revealing nothing but skin where her compass necklace usually glinted back at him.

“Hey,” she blurts somewhat spastically and her cheeks redden just slightly. He almost smiles.

“Justin!”

He jumps at the sound of Amelia’s voice and his heart thuds unevenly in his chest, his eyes flicking nervously between his fiancé and the woman he’d bent in half on his desk only twelve or so hours ago. He brings a hand up to his mouth, rubbing over it slowly as sweat breaks out on his upper lip. A twisted part of his brain wonders if she can sense it, if Amelia can tell just by looking at him, by the tension that is sucking all the air from the room but she gives no indication. In fact she looks elated.

“Oh Justin darling your hair!” she exclaims a wide smile pulling at her lips as she steps forward and he fights his flinch as she reaches up to rub his head affectionately. “You look great.” She beams at him, her blue eyes roving over his face and he forces a feeble smile back at her. “Doesn’t he look great, Charlotte?”

Justin glances at her and finds her head resolutely down as she makes a non-committal noise in her throat.

“Are you feeling better?” Amelia asks offhandedly, turning to go back into her office and motioning for him to follow.

He pauses, his fingers curling around the handles of the little black bag in his hand and he can’t help but glance at Charlotte. Their eyes meet and something strong and arresting pulls in their stomachs, causing their eyes to drop to the floor, their hearts thundering in their chests, trying to catch their breaths.

“What’s that?”

Justin’s mind jars and he looks up at Amelia who’s paused in her doorway, noticing the bag in his hand and he looks down at it dumbly. His thoughts whir in his head and he wishes he could think, just think. He can’t handle the two of them in the same room right now. His heart can’t take it, ripping itself to shreds and separating itself into piles, one for each and he’s suffocating from it.

“For you,” he manages to stutter as he holds the bag out to her dumbly and his chest loosens as he watches her eyes light up, snatching it away from him in excitement.

“Oh!” she exclaims, her hand going to her throat as she takes in the string of diamonds, glittering brilliantly in the light, each stone flawless and shimmering curling down towards a large pear drop shaped diamond. He can see her surprise for a moment before it turns to elation. “Oh my god Justin this is…” she can’t even speak as her fingers run over the delicate necklace and he can’t help but smile.

“You like it?” he questions softly, his thoughts settling for a moment and he can’t get over how utterly beautiful she is when she’s happy. There’s his girl.

“Yes!” Amelia exclaims, fiddling with the clasp. “Help me put it on.”

Justin chuckles slightly as she shoves the jewelry in his hand and Charlotte scoffs, bitterness and something akin to jealously raging inside her. It figures he’d buy her something extravagant. Charlotte tries not to think about Amelia’s jewelry collection wondering if this was his custom. He fucks someone random and then gets her something to quell his guilt. She’s disgusted and he can see it so plainly on her face when he chances a glance at her while fastening the clasp around Amelia’s neck.

“How does it look?” Amelia asks breathlessly, not even waiting for a response before running into her office and looking in the mirror right next to her door. “Oh it’s just stunning!”

Justin swallows hard, giving Charlotte one last fleeting glance before scurrying back into Amelia’s office. He places a hand on her shoulder and leans in, pausing briefly before his lips touch her cheek delicately. Charlotte shouldn’t have let her eyes follow him, shouldn’t have seen Amelia’s eyes sink closed and the joy radiating off her as she turns to him and reaches to touch his face. If she hadn’t she wouldn’t see the soft look in his eyes as he looks at his fiancé. Her heart wouldn’t be ripping itself to ribbons right now and she wouldn’t be fighting tears as she tries to focus on her computer screen.

“Nothing but the best for my girl,” Justin says in what he hopes is a casual, merry way. Amelia just beams at him.

“Well I’m glad you’re feeling better,” she says patting his chest and he tries to ignore the tightness there.

“Yeah,” he says shifting awkwardly as she fiddles with the necklace, turning her head this way and that, admiring herself in the mirror.

“Are you going in to the office?” she asks offhandedly, flicking her hair out of her face and pursing her lips, smoothing her finger tips along her cheekbone.

“Uh…no,” Justin says, his stomach turning slightly at the thought of his desk, Charlotte’s legs wrapped around his waist.

He gasps slightly, wobbling on his legs and he takes a staggering step towards the couches, his hand gripping the back of one as his heart thumps unevenly in his chest. He jumps when he feels Amelia’s hand rub between his shoulder blades.

“Are you okay?” she asks, concern lacing her words and he glances over at her, finding it genuine which only causes the guilt to rise, his stomach rolling ominously. “You look like you’re going to be ill,” she says for the second time in the past fifteen minutes.

“I’m fine,” he says, panting slightly and shaking his head. Amelia gives him a dubious look.

“Maybe you should try and see the doctor before your flight on Sunday,” Amelia says then her brows go from furrowed in concern to raised in remembrance. “Did Felicity make your flight yet?”

“Uh…”

Justin stutters slightly, trying to keep his face smooth and blank while his train of thought switches from one concealment to the next. The truth is he hadn’t seen much of Felicity in the last week or so. She’d been taking some acting class in the village since the beginning of the year and they were just gearing up for her first big performance on Saturday night. He’d been running lines with her since the beginning of the month and he had to admit she was actually really good and seemed to finally be focused on something she wanted to do. He was happy for her and proud of her, so when she’d told him that she had rehearsals all week starting at one in the afternoon he’d been all too happy to let her leave at lunch everyday. But that also meant she’d only been around in the mornings and she was so busy trying to keep up that he had left her alone for the most part.

“Justin,” Amelia sighs, her face screwing up in weary annoyance. “What does the girl do? Honestly, she never–”

“Babe she’s just been preoccupied with that play,” Justin says delicately, his voice soothing but Amelia just rolls her eyes.

“So she’s an actress now?” Amelia asks throwing her hands in the air as she moves around her desk, shuffling through her day planner. “When is that girl going to take something seriously?”

“She’s taking this pretty seriously,” Justin defends gently. “She’s been working her ass off all week–”

“Don’t curse,” Amelia scolds lightly as she looks up at him frowning and he purses his lips. “Is that why you’ve been answering phones in the afternoons?”

Justin shifts. “She’s just been–”

Amelia sighs, dropping her arms to her sides and looking at him tiredly. “Justin I think it’s time you fired her.”

Justin gasps, his brow creasing but there’s a little voice inside his head that says maybe, maybe if he did this for Amelia, gave her something she’d been pushing for for awhile that he’d be absolved, they’d be even. But the guilt chokes him then, not just for what he’s done but for even thinking of sacrificing Fee for his own gain. And what would that really gain him anyway? He doesn’t like this feeling, this desperation that makes his mind claw for every possible escape, any way to be exonerated from his guilt.

“No,” Justin says, shaking his head and waving a hand dismissively.

Amelia eyes him hard before lifting her hand and beginning to tick off her fingers. “She is constantly late, she doesn’t give you your messages, she leaves early¬–”

“That was just for this week!” Justin says and even though he knows it’s a flimsy argument he can’t help but try. He’d nearly put her on the chopping block before and now he’ll do anything to save her. “Her play will be over my the end of next week–“

“Next week?” Amelia asks, one eyebrow raised in question, her eyes dancing triumphantly and Justin cringes. Desperation made him careless. “Next week when she’s supposed to be in Los Angeles?”

“Amelia–”

“However will she manage that?” Amelia asks her eyes holding innocence while her voice drips with sarcasm. “She must be smarter than we give her credit for if she can be in two places at once.”

“Don’t do this,” Justin says with a sigh letting his head hang back.

He’s too tired and too turned around to play this game with her right now. He’s tempted to give her whatever she wants, his head jumbled and messy, his heart reckless in its attempt to atone for what he’s done. But he won’t do that. Can’t do that. This is his battle and no one else’s. No one else will take the fall for what he’s done.

“What were you planning on doing?” Amelia asks, crossing her arms over her chest.

“Amelia,” Justin says, sighing, his fatigue wearing his patience thin. “I lived in LA for nearly ten years. I’m sure I can–”

Amelia sighs, waving a hand, “Charlotte will go with you.”

Justin’s blood runs cold, all the color draining away from his face and he has to lean back against one of the couches for support again. He glances quickly out the door and from where he is he can see Charlotte hunched over her desk, her back rigid. She isn’t moving, but he can tell from the quick rise and fall of her shoulders that she’s panting and he knows she’s heard. There’s no way that they can spend an entire week together, completely unsupervised and three thousand miles away from Amelia. He curses the quiet part of his mind that wanders down that path, exploring all the possibilities that would be laid out to them and the guilt rises suddenly, his knees almost buckling.

“No,” he says, his voice a low croak in his throat and Amelia scoffs shaking her head.

“Don’t be ridiculous, Justin. You have a string of important meetings lined up and–”

“Amelia, I said fucking no,” Justin barks, and Amelia’s lips part slightly in astonishment. He cringes. “Look I can–”

“How dare you speak to me that way!” Amelia screeches and Justin cringes. He hadn’t quite realized he’d had a headache until Amelia’s voice causes a stab of pain behind his left eye. “You need someone with you, Justin. There are photographers everywhere and with you not feeling your best you don’t need to try and navigate the entire city by yourself. In case you don’t remember you’re finalizing Grateman’s tour and meeting about Kalayah’s upcoming release all of which are integral to your label’s–”

“FINE!” Justin yells finally, turning to stomp out his head throbbing wickedly. He throws a hand in the air. “Just send Lauren or someone fuckin else.”

“Justin Timberlake don’t you walk away from me!” Amelia yells. “I am wearing Jimmy Choos and I will not chase after you.”

Against his better judgment he stops. Stops but doesn’t turn, doesn’t move. Charlotte is still sitting at her desk, he can feel her not three feet from him and he can’t breathe. Things were never like this with her. She didn’t push and she worked with him instead of just demanding her way. She keeps her head bowed, trying to pretend she’s not there all the while pretending that him not wanting her there with him doesn’t sting. She knows its for the best, trembles at the very thought of spending that much time alone with him but it still hurts.

“What is wrong with you?” Amelia asks and now he can feel her behind him, close enough to touch and his stomach rolls. “You and Charlotte are always–”

Her voice cuts off and Justin’s eyes close, feeling a sense of understanding wash over her. She knows. He’s sure of it then. What else would she be thinking? He wonders how she’ll react, wonders if she’ll scream and rant or break down and cry. When he’d found out about her past infidelity he’d done both. He wants to turn, wants to look at her and apologize, say he didn’t know what he was thinking which is the truth - he still doesn’t know what he’s thinking – but his feet seem to be stuck to the floor.

“What did she do?” Amelia asks, her voice laced with malice and Charlotte’s eyes widen as Amelia’s narrow on her.

He hears Charlotte gurgle in an attempt to explain and he feels a swell of protectiveness wash over him. “Nothing,” he sighs, turning and finding Amelia staring coldly at Charlotte. “She didn’t do anything.”

“Don’t lie Justin I know you two haven’t been talking,” Amelia says, eyeing the two of them suspiciously. “Surely there must be something going on–”

“NO!” they both exclaim at once and Amelia looks at them both perplexed.

“I just…it was a silly misunderstanding,” Charlotte stutters out quickly, her eyes flicking to Justin’s and he nods.

“Yeah…we worked it out.”

“Last night.” Charlotte adds and then feels her cheeks burn, cursing her stupid mouth. She hears Justin gulp as the phone rings. She snatches for it desperately. “Amelia Domineck’s office”

“Yeah,” he breathes out a shaky sigh, trying not to look at her but finds that he has to sneak at least one glance. “Last night.”

“Then there should be no problem with her going with you,” Amelia says, her eyes boring into his and he feels as if he’s being x-rayed. “I mean you’re both obviously ill.” Her nose wrinkles. “You’re sweating.” She waves a hand. “There’s no need to infect the other girls.”

“Amelia,” Charlotte says, her voice trembling slightly as she cups her hand over the mouthpiece of the phone. “Its Arthur.”

“Oh good,” she says, turning to go back into her office. “Let me just take this and then you can take me to lunch. Charlotte, order his plane ticket.” Her office door closes with a snap.

The silence left in her wake is deafening and they both shift and stutter, looking resolutely at the floor. Charlotte longs to know what he’s thinking, desperate for some answers. Her eyes lift, roving hungrily over his sweaty face, his eyes still watching his toes wiggle inside his sneakers. She needs to know what he’s thinking, needs to know what he’s feeling. Surely he’s as jumbled up inside as she is or he wouldn’t be acting this way.

“Justin–”

“We should fly commercial,” he says suddenly, reaching up to scratch at his ear, watching his shoe scuff the carpet. “Southwest is good. A morning flight.”

“O-okay,” Charlotte says, fighting the warble in her tone and he barely glances at her before rushing to the door.

“I’ll… I’ll wait for her outside,” he says, fingers working clumsily over the knob so that it takes him a few tries to get it open.

Charlotte considers herself lucky that Amelia gets out the door before the tears come.
Chapter 23 pt 1 by SomethingBlue42
Author's Notes:
Okay I am SO SORRY this took me so long to get up. Life went kinda crazy and in my defense I rewrote this about three times. So writers block combined with the end of my quarter are to blame. Also I probably won't get to responding to reviews for awhile because my friend and I are leaving for Switzerland tomorrow and will be traveling for about a week. I dunno if we'll have internet or not so just be patient I WILL get back to you all I promise! Thank you all for your patience and enjoy!!!
All the blood is rushing to Justin’s head. He realizes this but he doesn’t do anything to rectify it, just continues to let his neck hang back off the side of the bed, staring unseeingly at the room upside down in front of him. The plush hotel room rug is the ceiling and all the furniture hangs from it perfectly silhouetted against the large windowpane that showcases the Los Angeles skyline, the buildings tearing jaggedly into a sky tinged purple with the oncoming sunset. His vision is slightly fuzzy, his eyes feeling as if they’re too big for the sockets and he really should sit up or he’s going to have a bitch of a headache but he stays where he is because keeping all the blood in his body inside his head is the only way to keep it from spinning off into oblivion.

When his alarm had gone off this morning his chest had been full, dread settling on him like a heavy coat and as he’d dressed he felt almost as if he were readying himself for his own funeral. He was used to the guilt by now. Two days of forcing smiles at his fiancé, insisting that he was fine, and trying his best not to think about the way Charlotte’s face had fallen as he’d left her office on Friday. The complexity of his emotions was staggering, beginning with his anger—at himself, at Amelia for changing so drastically and at Charlotte for… for what being the same? Being better? He wasn’t sure. As he grew more and more accustomed to the guilt, living with it and through it, he was given the time to analyze it and try to understand it which only gave way to more questions, even the simple emotion of guilt complicated beyond his comprehension. He felt horrible for his betrayal and every time he looked at Amelia he had to stop himself from falling to his knees and begging for forgiveness. After everything she’s done to him he still loves her, loves her so deeply and the fact that he could feel that way about her and still – he refuses to think the word cheat – only makes him hate himself more. But weaving with that was also the guilt of how he’d treated Charlotte. How short he’d been with her, the slight tinge of her face that showed how deeply he’d hurt her haunting him late at night when he couldn’t sleep, his arm curled loosely around his fiancé’s waist.

The events of the day replay themselves over and over again in his head and it’s like his own personal torture reel as he remembers the silent ride to the airport, the wide stretch of seat as she put as much space between them as possible. Then the plane ride, the silence continuing to stretch on, building an invisible wall between them, every minute like a brick that was being cemented in place.

He misses her. He misses her so desperately, longing for her in a way that had very little to do with sex although that was part of it. Charlotte was his sounding board; if he was confused she could set him right or at least get him going in the right direction. His first response to his confusion was resolving to talk to her about it but his mind stuttered when he realized he couldn’t and he had no other solution. What’s he supposed to do when she is exactly the person he needs advice on how to approach? It’s then that he realizes that she has become one of his closest friends, maybe even his best friend now that he and Trace didn’t see each other very often anymore. She understands him and she puts up with all his bullshit and she cares about him, him, his wants and needs when so often he was overlooked. And he had royally fucked everything up.

Sex ruins everything, his mind taunts and he squeezes his eyes shut, forcing the memory back, the response second nature to him now after two days of searing guilt but he knows he needs to feel this, to understand what is going on in his head so he can fix this. He has to fix this. He let’s his mind wander tentatively, treading carefully over feelings that are unfamiliar and yearnings that he knows are wrong but can’t help feeling them anyway. He lets the memories wash over him, his body heating up just slightly when he remembers the sound of his name passing her lips, the gentle scrape of her fingernails across the back of his neck. But stronger than that is the way her eyes lit up on Christmas morning when she opened the record he’d given her, the wide smile she’d given him while dancing at his birthday party and even as far back as that business lunch for Kalayah’s album where she looked him straight in the eye and told him he could do it. She’d always believed in him even when he wasn’t sure. She’s his best friend.

And that’s when he realizes that guilt hasn’t been the only thing that’s been torturing him these past few days. The pain he is feeling is his heart breaking, sadness at the loss of one of his best friends so severe that he’s drowning in it. It has nothing to do with sex, he tells himself as Amelia’s face surfaces in his mind. The sex was just…just… Amazing, his brain offers and he scoffs, bringing his hands up to press the heels of his palms into his eyes rubbing roughly. It was just… something that had happened. He and Charlotte are more than that, he tells himself, their friendship is strong enough to get past it. It has to be. They just need to talk, as much as he doesn’t want to and as afraid as he is of what might come from it they can’t go on like this. She matters too much to him to let it go on like this and he can only hope that somewhere deep down she feels the same.

He rolls onto his stomach, reaching for the phone.

***

Charlotte sighs, padding out of the bathroom, rubbing her head roughly with the fluffy white hotel towel. She’d been convinced a long hot shower was just what she had needed to wash away the horrible day she’d had but as she’d stood under the spray, letting the water scald her she found she couldn’t escape it. Her thoughts were jumbled with memories and worries, sadness and of course the longing for him, something that involved so much more than sex although she couldn’t help letting her mind wander there as well.

If she were honest with herself she’d say that she’d been looking forward to this trip. She’s never been further west than Saint Louis and despite what is happening between she and Justin she’s been excited to see California, to stay in one of the most famous hotels in Los Angeles. She wants to see the Pacific Ocean, see Hollywood. She’d sort of been hoping that Justin would take her around a little. She’d let little scenarios float throughout her brain, going to the beach with him, dinner in little hole in the wall places he used to frequent when he lived out here and in her last fading thoughts before sleep she’d dreamed of a hushed phone call in the middle of the night, calling her to him and then...and then…

But all of that had been snuffed out with one look at him when she’d climbed into the towncar this morning. He hadn’t even said hello, just blinked slowly at her and she’d dropped her gaze almost immediately as she slid across the leather seats, leaving a wide space between them and they’d spent the day in utter silence.

The hardest part of this, she thinks, is not knowing. She always took comfort in knowing Justin because Amelia was so unpredictable, her intentions always uncertain and her moods liable to turn in a matter of seconds. But Justin was steadfast and almost predictable, honest and forthcoming with how he felt and what he wanted. She liked that their relationship had gotten to that level. It’d been a long time since she’d known someone as well as him. Or as well as she thought she had.

The hardest part is not knowing, not being able to read him. Every time she’d chanced a glance in his direction his face had been smooth and blank, no sign of anger or remorse, no sign of anything and she hated not knowing. Was he angry over what they’d done or was he merely too much of a coward to breach the subject?

He’d made no effort to clue her in, his politeness cold and the silence, god, the silence between them was deafening. The hardest blow however came ironically enough with the first words he’d spoken to her all day. When they’d arrived at the hotel, he’d mentioned hitting the golf course but said she didn’t have to come. It was the way he’d said it, trying to make it sound like he was letting her off the hook but she could read the undertones all too well. He didn’t want her with him. He didn’t want her.

It stung, still stings, just like it did when he didn’t want her to come on this trip. She doesn’t understand how he can be so cold, how he can throw away everything that they’ve built together. She’d always fancied that he liked her so much because they knew what it was like to deal with Amelia day in and day out. Even though neither of them would ever admit it, the evidence was there in honest exasperations and shared looks. It was nice just knowing that someone else got just as vexed as she did, that she wasn’t alone.

Despite how he’s treated her over the past few days, she knows he’s a good man under everything, the part of her heart that belongs exclusively to him shouting down the cynical part of her brain that says she’s an idiot for believing in him. She believes he’s good, just clumsy with other’s feelings, unknowing and bumbling as he is with so many other things as well and that’s the hardest part she thinks, knowing that he is good, really is trying. Just not trying for her.

She doesn’t really know what to believe anymore. She’d spent the entire day in her hotel room, watching television or sitting in silence next to the window, watching well-dressed men and women weave in and out of expensive shops, Mercedes and BMWs crawling down the street. After six hours of being nowhere else but inside her own head and a shower that left her skin red and tingling she’s decided it’s time to let her heart shut down and for her brain to take over, something she should have let happen all along. What they had – their friendship – apparently meant much less to him than it did to her and it would be easier to let him go now, although she doesn’t really see how, the pain in her chest deep and unrelenting.

It is all for the best, she tells herself, forcing down the lump in her throat. The towel falls to the floor and she allows herself to fall back onto the large hotel bed, her body sinking into the layers of heavy bedding and takes comfort in it, feeling as if she were being enveloped, held and protected. She shouldn’t allow herself to cry anymore. It’s over and done with and she forces herself to be honest with herself. She and Justin were never anything more than a kiss in a stairwell and a quick fuck on a desk. They may have been friends at some point, best friends even but that seemed to be over now too. The words don’t comfort her but thinking them is the first step to getting over this, saying them comes next and maybe eventually she’ll start to believe them and it won’t hurt anymore.

The ring of the phone breaks her from her thoughts and she sighs, flinging her arm out to reach for it wearily. She really hopes that it isn’t Amelia. Her hand snatches back suddenly as a horrible thought dawns on her. Amelia…What if this whole trip was one big set up? Why else would Amelia tell her to book that huge penthouse suite for Justin and then leave no particular instructions for Charlotte’s lodgings. Did Amelia expect them to shack up? Was there a private detective lurking around the corner waiting with a camera to catch them in the act? The phone is still ringing and jarring her brain enough so that she reaches for it quickly, not wanting to let Amelia think that she’s anywhere but her own room.

“Hello?” she asks, her head falling back against the pillow, eyes sinking closed. The line is silent and she cracks her eyes open, her brows drawing in confusion. “Hello?” she questions again and she hears a sharp intake of breath on the other line before the sound of a throat being cleared.

“Um…hey…”

She sits up suddenly, peeling her wet hair away from her cheeks and her heart thumps wildly in her chest at the mere sound of his voice. “Oh…uh…hi.” She bites her lip to control the panting of her breath and all she hears is static on the line. “Justin?”

“Yeah it’s me,” he says, his voice low and quiet and she has to press the receiver hard against her ear to hear him.

“Is…is everything okay?” she prompts when he doesn’t continue, her fingers tangling nervously in the phone cord.

“Uh…yeah!” he says, his voice falsely bright and the sound hurts her ears. “Um…yeah I mean…” there’s a long pause and then she hears the crackle of his sigh through the line. “No…no it’s not okay.” Her heart is racing, blood pounding so loudly in her ears that she almost misses what he says next. “Can you come up here?”

She blinks slowly, her breathing shallow. He just asked her to come up to his room. Her heart feels as if it could beat out of her chest, a flash of adrenaline warming her and she swallows hard, her hand beginning to tremble so that the receiver shakes against her ear.

“Justin…we…we shouldn’t,” she says, her fingers tangling tighter in the phone cord, her voice shaking just slightly.

“No!” his voice booms through the phone and it hurts her ears. “No, I…” he lets out a soft chuckle and she can practically see the crimson of his cheeks. “Not…not like that.”

“O-oh…” Charlotte says and she feels her own cheeks burn. “Yeah…of-ofcourse not,” she chuckles herself, rolling her eyes at her own idiocy. Jesus, Charlie…

“I just…” the line goes quiet again and all she can hear is the faint crackle of his breath and her fingers curl tightly around the receiver, her eyes closing as she just listens to him breathe, her heart calling to him through the line even though her brain tries to silence it with logic. He’s not yours to have, Charlie. You have to let go.

“How can I help you?” Charlotte asks trying to keep her voice as even as possible, startled by how strange the words sound coming out of her mouth.  How can I help you? What I am the front desk clerk? She does her best to swallow the lump in her throat and he makes a sound she can’t quite decipher.

“I…I don’t wanna do this over the phone, Charlie. Will you please-”

“Don’t call me that,” she quietly cuts him off and this time there’s no mistaking his growl. “We can’t keep doing this,” she says feebly when he doesn’t respond and she hears him sigh again.

“You’re the only one I can talk to,” he says softly and Charlotte’s heart breaks at the weakness in his voice. “You…you’re all I got right now, Charlie…” he pauses, “Charlotte, I mean. Sorry.”

He says her name grudgingly and she lets her eyes close as her heart and head war with each other, wanting so desperately to go to him but she knows that she shouldn’t. She’s not just at his disposal. She’s the only one he can talk to? She’s all he’s got? Right now. Key words, Charlie.

“What about tomorrow?” she asks and she can hear his confusion through the line. “I’m all you have right now, what about tomorrow Justin? And the next day? What about that?”

“I don’t wanna do this over the phone,” he says again firmly and she sighs, bringing a hand up to rub her forehead. “Please. Just…just give me five minutes.”

She pauses, her bottom lip caught between her teeth and she bites down brutally, torn between what she knows is right and what she really wants. This won’t end well. And that’s all it will be. An ending.

“Charlotte…” he says and she sighs. “Please.”

She waits a beat. “Okay,” she breathes, her voice defeated.

“Okay, I’ll…I’ll see you in a couple minutes,” he says and he sounds relieved.

“Okay.”

“Okay.”

Charlotte’s hand stutters as she reaches to drop the receiver back onto the cradle and falls back against her pillows briefly. Her heart is pounding in her chest, hands trembling just slightly and she forces herself to get a grip. He wants to talk. This is exactly what she wanted but now she’s beginning to think that may not be such a good idea. What if he tells her its over? There’s nothing for there to be over, her brain spits brutally and her heart aches, challenging that there is. They’re friends, were friends once. She clings to the thought like a lifeline.

She pulls herself from the bed and glances in the mirror on the back of the bathroom door. Her sleep shorts are twisted on her hips and as she straightens them she realizes they show entirely too much of her thighs for comfort now that Fiona had pegged them as “a problem area.” She tugs on neckline of her tanktop, pulling it to cover what small amount of cleavage she has and she should probably put on a bra. She reaches for her cardigan instead, threading her arms through and wrapping it around herself with a sigh. Her face is blotchy and red from her shower and her hair lays flat against her head running slickly down her back from not even brushing it yet. Part of her doesn’t want him to see her like this, tells her she should at least put something on that doesn’t accentuate the wide berth of her hips and the thickness of her thighs but another part says that it doesn’t matter. Whatever he has to say he’s going to say no matter what she looks like. She compromises slightly by running a brush through her wet hair before running out the door.

The elevator attendant gives her a dubious look when she asks him to take her to the penthouse, eyeing the length of her legs and her bare feet, the polish left over from Justin’s birthday now chipped and dismal looking. She’s the first to admit she doesn’t seem the type that would be heading up to the penthouse at nine o’clock at night but his suspicion annoys her. After six months of working for Amelia being looked down upon over everything from her shoes to her bank balance was really starting to get on her nerves.

The elevator arrives with a jolt and she gives the man a tight smile, feeling him watching her as she walks slowly out of the elevator, appraising the small hallway before stepping up to the only door, finding it not even marked with a number or letter. She bites her lip as she brings her hand up to knock softly, butterflies setting loose in her stomach.

When Justin hears the knock he propels himself from the couch, nearly tripping over his own feet in his haste to get to the door. He pauses, reaching up to adjust his hair but finds none and smoothes his hand down his chest instead, wiping away any wrinkles that might be in his shirt before he swings the door open. Charlotte is standing there awkwardly, her arms wrapped around her stomach, holding her black cardigan closed. Her skin is dewy, her hair damp and disheveled and it takes everything in him not to let his eyes linger on the long expanse of her legs.

“Hi,” she says breathlessly when he doesn’t speak and he smiles at the sound of her voice.

“Hi,” he returns and she gives him an uncertain smile. “Come in,” he urges, standing aside and she takes a cautious step into the room, her toes sinking into to the plush carpet as she pads into the entry way.

Her jaw is slack as she takes in the grandeur of the room. Mismatched overstuffed couches and chairs mingle with mahogany and glass tables the hodgepodge of design distinctive but cohesive in the way only modern design can pull off. Large floor to ceiling windows boast breathtaking views of the Los Angeles skyline, the large garden terrace wrapping around the building, colorful flowers and leafy trees scattered around the hot tub and Moroccan bed with yellow and orange sashes shielding it from the dying sunlight. She’s dazed by the city lights, the windows drawing her closer as she steps down into the sunken living room.

“We’re you sleeping?” he asks and she’s broken from her thoughts, jolting slightly and it takes her a minute to answer.

“No…no I just…” she’s struck speechless by the view again, watching the lights twinkle prettily on the hills in the distance.

“The view’s nice huh?” he says, jumping on a topic as it presents itself, moving to step up next to her and she nods slowly.

“It’s beautiful,” she replies absently and Justin lets his eyes roam her face slowly, her green eyes dancing like he hasn’t seen in days and he longs to just touch her, just for a moment.

“Yeah,” he breathes and she looks over it him, her eyes meeting his and he immediately turns away, moving towards one of the couches. “Um…you wanna sit?”

“O-okay,” she says and steps in front of a chair and they face each other, both watching the other cautiously before slowly lowering to sit.

Charlotte tugs at her shorts, wishing that she’d changed, as they ride higher up her thighs and Justin’s mouth goes slightly dry at the sight of so much of her skin. He didn’t get a chance to really look at her when they’d… His mind snaps back and he forces himself to focus, chewing his bottom lip slowly as he watches her fidget in her chair.

The silence is starting to stretch between them again, the clock ticking away the seconds and he fights the urge to hum to himself just to fill it. Her eyes are resolutely on her knees, poking at a scar he’d never even noticed and he wonders how she got that. His brain snaps back again and he has to fix this. He clears his throat and opens his mouth even though he has no idea what he’s going to say.

“Charlotte, I understand if you’re angry with me,” he says softly and her head snaps up at the formalness of his tone, her brows drawing together slightly. “But I don’t want the whole trip to be like this. We have too much to accomplish this week to be not speaking to each other.”

Charlotte fights the swell of anger inside her, working very hard to keep her face blank and stoic. Of all the things that he could have said to her, of all the things that they needed to discuss, that was what he wanted to say? He’s looking at her steadily, leaning forward so that his elbows rest on his knees, his palms pressed together and he looks as if he’s reprimanding her for some mistake she’d made on the job. His demeanor is strictly professional and she has the urge to remind him that they have fucked each other and this farce that he’s just her boss is slightly absurd.

“We just…” he sighs, sitting so that his back is straight, his hands gesturing casually. “We need to put aside our differences for business sake… so we can have a productive trip…”

What the hell is he saying? This is what happens when he doesn’t have a clear plan, he comes up with something on the fly and while there is some truth to it – they really couldn’t get much work done if they weren’t speaking – he’d missed his point entirely. He consoles himself in thinking that this was just to get them talking again, just a way to open the door of communication. As he takes in the slight wrinkle between her eyebrows he’s beginning to think that maybe that wasn’t the best way to have done it.

“Right,” she says, with a nod, her face smoothing. “Of course, I’m sorry.”

“Don’t…don’t be sorry,” he says, scrambling for words even though his voice is calm. “Just…we just have to talk to each other Charlie,” he breathes and the slight flinch of her cheek as he says her name causes his heart to crack a little. “Charlotte…I mean,” he adds with a sigh. “Sorry.”

She studies him for a moment, taking in the smoothness of his face and the casual tilt of his head. But as she looks closer she can see the straightness of his back has little to do with professionalism, his shoulders tense and his hands don’t just rest on his knees, they’re pressing against them, palms rubbing against the denim of his jeans anxiously. His eyes flit to the ground as his tongue snakes out to wet his lips and she realizes that he’s not feeling professional at all. He’s nervous. And suddenly it’s as if the past few weeks never happened and she can read him again, his fear and guilt showing through his eyes, uncertainty and doubt. This is his way of trying to bridge the gap. He’s trying to make it right. He’s trying. For her.

“Okay,” she says simply and offers him her first smile in a week and he breathes out slowly, a weight lifting itself from his chest and he’s surprised at how light he feels.

Her brain calls her an idiot. How can she be pacified simply by the fact that he’s trying? How can she have so little respect for herself that she’ll just let him get by with such a lame apology? It wasn’t even an apology at all, more like a reprimand

But he breathes out slowly then, a smile pulling across his face and she’s too dazed by its brilliance to think much else, “Okay,” he says softly.

They’re quiet again but this time it’s calm, each just looking at the other and the search for something to say isn’t desperate, just awkward and they each start to chuckle a little at their own ridiculousness. She was hoping that he’d have more to say, but the longer she waits she wonders if he’s lost his courage. Her brain cries indignantly that there is more to be said, but she doesn’t want to push. After all, he has more to lose in this than she does, his entire life as opposed to just her job and maybe he needs more time. Her head cautions that she’s doing it again, making excuses for him and she bites her lip, her head and heart warring with each other again. Her heart argues feebly that they’re friends and you’re supposed to believe the best of your friends but she knows that she’s too close to him, needs to pull back just a little, to spare herself in the end.

“Well if that’s all, I’m just gonna…” Charlotte trails, jutting her thumb towards the door as she pulls herself to her feet and Justin’s brows draw in alarm.

“You don’t wanna hang out?” he asks and she blinks at him slowly, uncertainty settling in her.

“Justin it’s late,” she says, her voice cautious and he gives her a perplexed look.

“It’s like nine-thirty,” he chuckles and she laughs too, biting her lip at how forced it sounds but she’s used to laughing when he laughs; it’s almost a habit.

“Yeah but…I mean…shouldn’t we…we can’t…” she stutters trying to formulate what she wants to say.

They’re in uncharted territory now. What a few weeks ago would have been hanging out and chatting is now fettered with subtext and intentions unknown. Sex changes everything, she thinks bitterly and as much as she wants him to breach the subject she isn’t sure he was going to. She watches her big toe dig a hole in the plush carpet, trying to choose her words carefully.

“Last time we were together this late…” she starts but finds she can’t finish, her throat constricting and she can feel the air change around her, thickening with tension so potent it threatens to suffocate her.

She hears him chuckle, more a sound of surprise than of humor as if his brain got confused and all he could do was laugh. He clears his throat. “Touché,” he utters bitterly and she feels dread settle in the pit of her stomach. “Sit down Charlie…Charlotte…sorry.”

She takes her seat again, not meeting his eyes until she’s settled and finds him sitting forward again, his palms pressed together, the tips of his fingers white from the pressure with which he’s pushing them together. She tries to swallow, her throat dry and she waits for him to speak.

“What…what happened…” he starts and he’s not looking at her but at the table next to her, his voice careful as if he’s choosing every word with the utmost caution. “What happened between us…it….it shouldn’t have happened…”

It’s like a bullet to the chest, the pain quick and fierce and she has to clench her jaw to fight the lump in her throat.

“But it did happen,” he adds quickly and then he meets her eyes finally, sorrow and regret filling his sapphire orbs and she marvels at how every emotion he has can show right through his eyes. “Yeah it was…” he pauses looking down again trying to find the words and then settles on “wrong.” He winces as if unsatisfied by his choice. “But I don’t…I don’t want you to think that I…” He looks up at her again. “I don’t want you to think I resent you. Or that I regret it…” he winces again as if he thinks he shouldn’t have said it. “I just…I can’t…there’s nothing I can-”

“Don’t,” she says suddenly and he cuts off immediately, finding her shaking her head slowly. “You don’t owe me anything.”

“But-”

“All I ever want from you is honesty, Justin,” she says softly and his lips part slightly at her confession, marveling at her.

It was so simple yet infinitely complicated. It was a lot more than some piece of jewelry from Harry Winston but he found that he was more willing to give it. Maybe because it didn’t feel like a cop out, not an atonement for his actions but a promise that he would try and be better. He offers her a small smile before sighing and dropping his head, reaching his hands up to run through his hair but once again finds it gone, rubbing his head roughly instead. He wants so much to talk to her, his chest feeling as if it will burst from keeping all these emotions inside him.

“I just want you to talk to me,” she adds quietly and he doesn’t miss the tremble in her voice. “I don’t…I don’t wanna lose you.” His eyes snap to her, finding her wringing her hands, her fingers tangled together tightly. “I mean…you’re my best friend,” she says finally looking up at him and the feeble smile she gives him sends a wave of tenderness through him.

“I’m sorry,” he says and it’s like a huge weight has lifted from his chest. “I’m sorry that I was such a douche-”

“I’m sorry too,” she cuts him off as if she’s been waiting to say it as well and they both offer a weak smile which grows when they realize they’re okay.

“This was just something that happened,” he says with a shrug, the lightness in his chest making him slightly giddy and she nods in agreement his excitement contagious. “It was an accident and…it doesn’t define us.”

“Not at all,” Charlotte says seriously but finds she can’t keep a straight face, a giggle pulling from her throat and he chuckles as well.

He sighs, falling back against the couch as he rubs his hands over his face and he’s suddenly exhausted, his muscles sore from being so tense for so long. He lets his arms fall to his sides and looks over at her, finding her watching him slightly amused, her hands folded in her lap. He leans forward again and before he can even stop them the words just pour out of his mouth.

“I just… I’ve never cheated on anyone before…” he breathes quietly, the confession sucking the air right out of his lungs and the guilt constricts his throat, making it hard to swallow.

He trails then as if suddenly remembering who he’s speaking to. He finds that he doesn’t really want to explain this to her. He’s never been anything but honest with her and he doesn’t want that to change. But he also knows that this subject is delicate and her feelings could be trampled. He’ll do anything to avoid hurting her.

“You’ve never cheated before?” she asks and he looks up at her blinking slowly, caught off guard by her question.

“No…I haven’t,” he says slowly, finding her perplexity a little strange and he’s offended when she narrows her eyes as if debating if he’s lying. “What I haven’t!” he says, his voice slightly defensive.

“I’m not saying…I’m sorry I just…” Charlotte struggles with what to say caught off guard by his sudden irritation and she stutters. “I just thought you and Patti…”

Justin’s eyebrows race to his hairline as he coughs out a sound of surprise. “What?” he asks, disbelief ringing in his voice.

“Well I didn’t know,” Charlotte says, a blush creeping up her neck as he starts to laugh loudly.

“Are you kidding me?” he asks and she chuckles sheepishly herself. “You honestly thought I was banging the wedding planner? Charlie, I’m offended!” he teases and then sighs. “Charlotte, I mean.” He waves his hand disinterestedly. “Sorry.”

“Well what do you expect?” Charlotte asks, slightly defensive now herself as he continues to laugh and she can’t help her own smile. “That one time in your office-”

His laughter stops abruptly and his brows crease as he cuts her off. “You said you believed me!”

“Well yeah but I mean it was pretty incriminating.”

“She was straightening my tie!” Justin insists and Charlotte gives him a dubious look that causes him to scowl.

“What am I supposed to think with Amelia purposefully parading women in front of you¬-” her voice cuts off abruptly, her eyes going wide and there goes her mouth again.

For a moment Justin thinks she’s stopped because she’s mentioned Amelia and while the sudden memory of his fiancé was a little jarring he doesn’t think it constitutes the full blush that is coloring Charlotte’s cheeks. But as he starts to process her words he begins to understand and anger begins to well inside him.

“What do you mean parading women in front of me?” he asks evenly and Charlotte looks away, refusing to meet his eyes. He can feel his shoulders tighten. “Charlotte…”

“Don’t do this to me Justin,” she begs and when her eyes meet his she’s pleading with him. “Its not fair.”

“Oh and it’s fair for her to have some kind of secret plan that she’s sharing with all her fucking assistants and making me look like a goddamn idiot?” Justin asks, his voice angry and as much as he loves Amelia sometimes he really fucking hates her.

“She’s not sharing it with everyone!” Charlotte insists, her voice careful, trying to soothe. “I think she just told me. I’m…” she chuckles slightly. “I’m supposed to keep an eye on you.”

Justin looks up at her, eyes ablaze with anger. Amelia had one of her assistants keeping an eye on him? Like he needed some kind of goddamn babysitter to make sure he wasn’t fucking every woman in sight. He’s offended and hurt but finds that he’s not entirely surprised. In fact he’s a little shocked over the fact that just one of her assistants and not some private detective is watching him. But worse still is the idea that Amelia is dangling women in front of him, testing him in an attempt to see if he’d stray. The fact that she thinks he’d actually fall for it, that he’d need to be watched by Charlotte just to make sure he was staying true to her stung worst of all.

“Come on, Justin!” she says and then looks as if she has something she wants to say but is thinking better of it. She chuckles, shaking her head as she decides to say it anyway. “You have to appreciate the irony.” She blushes slightly.

He laughs awkwardly, his own blush creeping up his neck and he sighs, rubbing his hands over his face again before resting his chin on his hand and looking at her tiredly.

“Fuck I need…” he trails, not really knowing what he needs, stretching his arms over his head and they both wince as his back pops loudly and he groans as his muscles stretch unwillingly.

A yawn pulls from his throat as he falls back limply against the couch and his eyes slink from her to the view behind her, the sky now a dark purple, the daylight almost completely gone. The leafy plants that are scattered around the veranda are swaying in the breeze and he nearly moans when his eyes fall on the hot tub. That’s exactly what he needs after the week he’s had.

“Dude we’re getting in that hot tub,” he says, pushing himself off the couch and situating his hands on his hips as he looks down at her. “Come on get up and go put your suit on,” he says gesturing for her to move.

Charlotte’s eyes widen and she coughs out a laugh at his bossiness, uncertainty tightening in her chest. She cranes her neck, looking over her shoulder at the tub on the deck and she’s the first to admit that they both need a little stress relief. But she bites her lip thinking that getting in that hot tub with him would only lead to other kinds of stress relief and they’d agreed it wouldn’t happen again. It can’t happen again. She purses her lips.

“How about you go get your swimsuit on and I’ll get the bubbles going. Do you want room service? Some wine or something?” she asks and his brows draw, perplexity showing through his eyes.

She doesn’t want to hang out with him? He thought they were better! What could he…but then she gives him an exasperated sigh and a pointed look and he suddenly understands. They can’t do that. His neck reddens and he reaches up to scratch his ear nervously. He’s going to have to get used to this, the things that they can and can’t do together and he can’t help the slight pang of sadness over this realization.

“Yeah,” he says with a nervous chuckle. “Yeah some wine would be good.”

He waits a beat, watching her carefully before turning and disappearing around the corner and she heaves a great sigh, letting her head fall back. She is almost sure this is going to be harder than they think but she doesn’t know the alternative. They’re too much a part of each other to just give up. The past week has been proof enough of that. After she calls downstairs and orders a bottle of wine, she shuffles out to the deck, the California air lifting her hair from her neck as she surveys the skyline, still marveling at the view. She’d wondered why Amelia had wanted her to book him the penthouse, three bedrooms and a dining room that could seat twelve seeming a little outrageous just for one man but now she understands. She sighs, pulling her eyes away and turning them to the hot tub which is large enough to fit at least ten people. Maybe she could change and just sit across from him…no, no that’s just asking for trouble. She sighs, moving to grab for the cover but finds that there is no handle. In fact, this doesn’t looking like any hot tub she has ever seen and she stares at it for a few moments before leaning down and poking around the sides, trying to see if there is some kind of button she needs to push.

Justin sighs as he pads his way back through the living room but he stops dead in his tracks in the doorway, all the blood leaving his brain suddenly at the sight of Charlotte bent over in front of the hot tub. Her shorts have ridden up her thighs, her ass tight inside the fabric and he shakes his head slowly, trying to clear it, forcing himself to calm down. He’s not thirteen for godsake. But thankfully she straightens, making it a little easier for him to concentrate and as his brain clears he notices that she looks utterly confused, her hand reaching up to run through her damp hair in thought, the locks sticking wetly to her fingers.

“Need some help?” he asks and her eyes snap to him, her mouth going dry.

Charlotte stutters slightly as she takes in his naked torso, a white towel thrown casually over his shoulder. His swim trunks hang low on his slim hips, his chest smooth and white and she swallows hard as she surveys the broad expanse of his shoulders and the bulge of his biceps, the large celtic cross tattooed along one arm pulled taught and standing out starkly against his creamy skin. She’s shocked slightly by it, along with the small smattering of tattoos around his calves finding them unexpected but not unlike him. She is now achingly aware that she didn’t exactly get to look at him when they’d… her eyes snap to the ground.

“I…uh… this thing,” she says gesturing towards the hot tub and tucking her hair behind her ear. “It’s um…too fancy for me.” She chuckles dumbly.

“Oh the switch is in here,” he says, and she watches his chest pull taut as he leans back inside to reach around the curtain and a low grinding sound fills the air as the cover pulls back from the hot tub, revealing clear blue water inside. After a moment it begins to bubble.  

“Oh,” Charlotte says dumbly, still slightly dazed as he walks towards her and she licks her lips as he moves to stand directly in front of her, his body a little too close for comfort. “Room service is on its way,” she says quickly, trying to avoid looking at him, trying to ignore the heat of his skin, his chest so close and begging to be touched.

“Okay,” he says, his voice deep and quiet and he knows he should pull back but at this distance he can smell the mint of her shampoo, the cleanness of her skin. Something about a woman right after she gets out of the shower…
Chapter 23 pt 2 by SomethingBlue42
“Room service!”

Charlotte jumps back immediately as a voice hollers from inside and she doesn’t trust herself to glance back as she turns to run back into the room. Justin watches her go, the slight bounce of her ass hypnotizing as she hurries inside and out of sight. He shakes his head slowly, dazed and wobbly and he can’t even remember the last time he was this affected by a woman. Sex always did that to him, made him so much more aware of the curves of her body, the smell of her skin and the want, the pull in his belly was always so much stronger. His mind wanders briefly, flicking to Charlotte’s legs wrapped around his waist, fingers in his hair and then spirals off into fantasy, her bent over his desk, straddling him in the hot tub, on her back in his bed. He jerks his head to the side, trying to wrench the thought from his brain. He can’t think that way, has to control himself. Amelia’s face floats into his mind and the duality of his guilt chokes him, sickened by the fact that he’s fantasizing so willingly about another woman and ashamed that in order to quell that guilt his mind bent Charlotte into positions of his liking, cheapening it and making it something dirty, making it meaningless.

“I got a rosé because I wasn’t sure what you wanted,” Charlotte says, her eyes surveying the bottle as she walks out, a wine glass in her hand and her hair is beginning to dry now, fuzzy and tangled and he longs to run his hands through it.

“That’s fine,” he says, dropping his towel on one of the lounge chairs before rounding the tub and climbing up the stairs to the little deck that surrounds it.

Charlotte is tipping the pink liquid into the glass when she hears him hiss and the glass nearly slips from her fingers as her mind is driven back to when he’d hissed in her ear, his body pulling pleasure from her she’d never even imagined and she fights against the memory. They were over that. It wasn’t going to happen again, so there was no use torturing herself with remembrances of his skin and his mouth. She shifts slightly, setting the wine bottle on the wooden deck next to him.

“Here you go,” she says softly, holding out the glass and when her eyes flick to him she finds him submerged up to his freckled shoulders and his hands are waving underneath the bubbles, his eyes watching them amusedly. She can’t help but smile.

“Oh thanks,” he says, pulling a dripping hand out of the water and his fingers brush hers as he takes the wine, swirling it in his glass before taking a sip.

He smacks his lips, raising his eyebrows as if pleased and she watches him for a moment, her heart fluttering in her chest. She feels like this was a near miss, that she could have lost him tonight, really lost him. She knows she still needs the space because sometimes the line between friendship and romance blurs in her head but she doesn’t want to lose him. What it comes down to is that she wants him in her life and when he looks up at her, the warmness in his eyes says that he feels the same.

“I should go,” she says softly and his brow wrinkles, a slight pout pulling at his full lips.

“Come on Charlie you know you wanna put your feet in,” Justin says, bringing his glass to his lips and her stomach flutters at the quick grin he gives her before his lips curl around the rim of a glass. “Charlotte I mean…sorry.”

“Oh quit,” she says, rolling her eyes as she rests her elbows on the edge of the pool, propping her chin on her hands. “The apology is worse than the stupid nickname.”

He smirks. “Knew I’d wear you down eventually,” he says reaching behind him to set his glass on the deck next to the bottle and situates himself more firmly in the water. “Mmm you sure you don’t wanna put your feet in?”

Charlotte’s mouth goes dry at the way his eyes sink closed and his head tips back, the long column of his neck stretching tight as he relaxes and she shakes her head. She needs to get out of here.

“Nah, you enjoy the quiet,” she says, reaching to pat his shoulder affectionately before turning to leave. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“What time?” he asks, his voice lazy and she can tell just by the sound of it that his eyes are still closed.

“Seven,” she says as she crosses the threshold and she can hear the sound of derision pull from his throat.

As she’s making her way through the expansive living room she’s stopped by the shrill ring of his cell phone, the accompanying vibration rattling against the glass of the coffee table and nearly wiggling it to the floor. Charlotte reaches for it, checking the caller ID on the front as she moves back towards the door to bring it to him. But she stops suddenly, seeing that the screen reads “Amelia” and an uneasiness settles over her as she debates whether or not to bring it to him. She tells herself it’s because he’s trying to relax and she doesn’t want to disturb him. She tells herself it has nothing to do with the fact that it’s his fiancé on the line. She’s not that girl. She doesn’t purposefully go after taken men. Although she can’t help the quiet part of her that triumphs in the fact that she’s with him now and Amelia is so far away. She closes her eyes, the ringing of the phone continuing on and her fingers curl tightly around small plastic device, trying to silence it but her conscious gets the better or her.

“Justin, your phone–” she starts as she hurries back out onto the veranda but her voice cuts off as the ringing does and the three quick beeps announce he’s missed the call, “–was ringing. Sorry.”

She feels guilty as she pads back over, holding her hand out and he sits up a little in the water, taking the phone from her and flicking it open. He cringes when he sees Amelia’s name in his call log and he knows she’s probably just calling to make sure that he’s going to bed at a decent time, is ready for his meetings tomorrow, found something in his closet she wants to get rid of. His thumb hovers over the send button but he hesitates. He doesn’t really want to talk to her right now, still not sure as to how he wants to handle the fact that she’s had her minions spying on him for god knows how long. They aren’t doing a very good job were they? He cringes again.

“I’ll call her back later,” he says with a shrug, trying to nudge the weight of his guilt off his shoulders as he turns the phone off, knowing she’ll call over and over and over again if he doesn’t answer.

“Okay, well…” Charlotte trails, shifting awkwardly. “Good night. Again.” She chuckles awkwardly as she turns away to leave.

“Charlotte come here and put your damn feet in the water,” Justin sighs, unable to keep the smile from his voice and she turns, glaring at him exasperatedly before her brow creases as if debating.

She sighs. “Twenty minutes and then I’m leaving,” she says firmly as she walks around behind him and he grins triumphantly, feeling her climbing up the stairs behind him.

She walks around the deck, putting a good two feet between them before she crouches down and lets her legs slip into the water, groaning slightly as the water caresses her calves sensually. Justin watches her as she settles, kicking her feet back and forth lazily through the frothy water and she reaches up to tuck her hair behind her ears before taking a deep breath and heaving it out in a sigh, turning her face up towards the sky, her eyes closed, seeming to enjoy the warm night air.

“This is nice,” she breathes after a moment and he smiles, “I was wondering why she made me get you the penthouse. Now I get it.”

“Mmm,” Justin responds, reaching for his wine glass and taking a sip, trying to push the guilt down.

“Did you like living here?” Charlotte asks regarding him curiously and he smiles, his eyes surveying the dark mountains in the distance, the lights of Beverly Hills twinkling merrily at him.

“Yeah,” he says, a tinge of sadness in his voice. “I did.” He drains his glass.

“Why’d you move?” she asks, her eyes riveted on the distance and when he doesn’t respond she looks at him, finding him giving her a pointed look. “Oh…right.” She chuckles.

“She likes New York,” Justin says with a shrug, pouring himself another glass of wine. “You want one?”

Charlotte opens her mouth to respond but finds she can’t fight her chuckle of disbelief. She purses her lips, scrunching up her nose as she shakes her head. He can’t help but grin.

“What you think I’m trying to get you drunk?” he asks, sipping his glass slowly, his blue eyes twinkling. “Think I’m going to have my way with you?” he ventures and laughs as her jaw drops at his brazenness.

“No,” she spats, kicking her leg out and splashing him a little.

“Quit!” he whines, pushing some water her way so that it splashes onto her thighs.

“You’re so fucking obnoxious!” she exclaims, wiping at her legs and he can’t help his eyes following the motions of her hands as he sips at his wine. “Ugh,” she growls, reaching over and giving his head a playful shove, the short bristles of his hair scratchy against her palm.

“Hey now!” he exclaims reaching up to rub at his head. “Violence is never the answer,” the seriousness of his tone lifting at the end when he can’t control his laugh.

Charlotte sighs, regarding him for a moment, her palm still itchy from touching the short strands of his hair and she can’t stop the words as they leave her mouth. “I can’t believe you shaved your head.”

Justin cringes as he watches the wine in his glass swirl, his chest tightening just slightly. He gulps down the last of his glass and the tightness dissipates somewhat as warmth spreads through him. It almost feels wrong to talk about this with Charlotte but at the same time it feels perfectly right. She’s his coconspirator in his egregious act but she’s also the person he runs to when things aren’t going right with Amelia. If he were honest with himself he would agree that they were actually the same thing.

“She likes it that way,” he says carefully, pouring himself another glass. “I just felt…”

“You were trying to make it up to her,” Charlotte provides evenly, ignoring her own pang of guilt and sadness, trying to be his best friend.

Justin laughs then but there’s no humor in it. “Yeah…as stupid as that is,” he says with a shrug, sipping from his glass and Charlotte notes that the bottle is nearly half way through. He should probably slow down.

“I dunno your hair isn’t quite as bad as that necklace you got her,” she teases, hoping to bring up his mood and he narrows his eyes at her.

“What you wouldn't want something like that?” he replies, eyeing her over the rim of his wine glass and she snorts.

“If you bought me something like that I’d think you had something to hide.”

They both cringe and there goes her damn mouth again. She takes a deep breath, preparing to apologize but he holds up a hand, closing his eyes and giving her a slight shake of his head. Guilt and sadness burn him and he wishes that it was different, wishes that he could have just kept his hormones in check, wishes that Amelia didn’t drive him up a wall, wishes that he wasn’t having to navigate through conversational landmines with Charlotte. Most of all he just wishes he could figure it all out. He sets his wine glass down, letting his head tip back, a heavy sigh pulling from his throat and the warmth of the water along with the warmth of the wine is making him drowsy. He gives in to that a little bit, letting his mind go blissfully blank for the first time in days.

They’re quiet for awhile, each leaving the other to their own thoughts and Charlotte can’t shake off the nagging feeling in her chest, her eyes flicking to Justin’s cell phone every now and then as she watches her feet kick back and forth in the water.

“Do you…” Charlotte starts, her mouth going before her brain could quite catch up and she snaps her mouth shut again, not really wanting to ask.

“Do I what?” Justin prompts, not even opening his eyes but he can feel her confliction and she shifts uncomfortably.

“Do you think she’s testing us?” Charlotte asks, a wave of nervous heat rolling through her as she utters the words she’s been fearing for the past six months.

Justin’s eyes snap open, looking up at Charlotte and finding her bottom lip caught between her teeth, her green eyes pensive and unsure. Her arms are locked at her sides, bracing herself against the deck as her legs kick hazily under the surface of the water. Her hair hangs over her shoulders and her cardigan has opened just slightly revealing a thin cotton camisole underneath and its like a punch in the gut when he finds her neck bare, missing the glint of platinum where her compass necklace usually resides.

“No,” Justin says shortly, reaching for his wine glass, nearly knocking it over his fingers clumsy from the drink. He should probably slow down but he likes the fuzziness of his brain, the pleasant feeling of untroubled apathy towards everything.

“I just…” Charlotte starts, shifting nervously. “I just feel like she keeps sending me with you on purpose…” Her heart is practically beating out of her chest as she adds. “I feel like she knows…”

Justin snorts, bitterness tugging at the back of his throat and his mouth goes off before he has a chance to stop it. “She doesn’t know or care about anyone but herself.” He cringes at his own honesty, feeling Charlotte shift next to him and he drains his wine glass.

“She cares about you,” Charlotte says softly and Justin winces at the reluctance in her voice, reaching for the wine bottle again.

“Is it sad that part of me blames her for what happened?” Justin asks, concentrating on what’s pouring from the bottle and not from his mouth.

Charlotte pauses. “No…I don’t think it’s sad. I think I’d feel the same way,” she replies honestly, and she watches him carefully as he takes a deep swig from his glass.

“You know, in my own head,” he says glancing at her briefly before turning his gaze out towards the hills. “I never call it cheating.” Charlotte winces and he adds. “Sorry.”

“No…” she says with a sigh. “No I don’t really either.”

“I mean like I said…I’ve never done anything like this – like that – before. I know how it feels. It’s happened to me more than enough times…” he sighs, the guilt burning and fading as his anger burns and fades. Did Amelia really believe that he’d cheat on her? So much that she’d set him up, almost as if trying to prove herself right. “I guess it doesn’t seem like cheating because in every way that really matters my relationship with Amelia is fucked beyond all comprehension,” he continues bitterly taking another large gulp to quell the hurt in his chest and Charlotte can’t help the way her heart has started to pound.

“Yeah except that whole getting married thing,” she teases nervously, trying to remind him and herself that this is a very dangerous game they’re playing.

He groans, letting his head fall back and she reaches over, snatching his wine glass from between his fingers, thinking that’s enough honesty for one night. He looks up startled and watches as she drains the rest of the glass before setting it on the other side of her and giving him a sweet smile.

“You’ve had enough,” she says and he chuckles, rubbing his face wearily.

“I can always drink from the bottle,” he teases, reaching for it and she snatches it from his hands.

“No, no,” she chides moving to set it on the other side of her as well and Justin chuckles.

“What, not gonna down that one too?” he asks and she gives him a rueful smile. He regards her curiously for a moment before leaning his head back and sighing. “How did my life get so fucked, Charlie?”

Charlotte can’t help her laugh and thankfully she’s able to keep her mouth shut on all the ways that she can blame this on Amelia.

“And how the hell do you have it so together?” he asks suddenly, causing her eyes to go wide, confusion settling on her.

“What?” she asks her voice jumping an octave.

“You!” Justin exclaims, bringing a hand out of the water to wave in her direction. “You’re so together, Charlotte,” he says his eyes roving over her face and then down, licking his lips at the thin sheen of perspiration on her chest.

“Me?” Charlotte asks in disbelief and she shakes her head, chuckling. “Are you forgetting that I spent four years and god knows how much money for a degree in a career I don’t even like and now I’m working for Satan in high heels.”

“And you just slept with your boss’ fiancé,” Justin giggles before he can stop himself and Charlotte’s cheeks flame.

“Yes. Thank you Justin.”

“What I’m saying is you don’t know what you’re gonna do and you’re okay with that,” he says and she frowns.

“Well I wouldn’t exactly say I was okay with it-”

“And you just quit, Charlie! You didn’t like it and you quit,” he says looking at her slightly mystified. “I mean that was brave.”

Charlotte chuckles, blushing slightly at his praise. “Yeah I guess I’ve got some balls,” she says with a chuckle and he smirks.

“At least one of us does,” he teases and her cheeks flame. He sighs, a slow smile pulling at his lips “You must have the boys in shambles.”

Charlotte jumps as she feels Justin’s fingers close around her foot in the water and the urge to jerk back isn’t quite as strong as the urge to moan as his fingers start to massage the arch slowly, almost absentmindedly as he tugs her foot a little higher out of the water to examine her nail polish. She blushes, trying to tug her foot back under water and he allows her to but his fingers continue their work under the surface. Friends give each other foot rubs right?

“I…I wouldn’t quite say that,” she stutters, reaching up to rub at her neck, finding it damp with sweat, the heat from the hot tub warming her and if she was honest with herself she’d say that wasn’t the only thing that was heating her up.

“You wouldn’t?” Justin asks softly, his thumbs pushing against the ball of her foot and her leg twitches slightly, a soft hum pulling from her throat as her eyelids flutter in pleasure.

The game is getting more risky now and while his brain is fuzzy from the alcohol he knows exactly what he’s doing. He just wants to touch her, the thin sheen of sweat on her chest teasing him and she’s so close. Butterflies tickle his stomach and guilt burns in his chest but it’s not as strong as it has been, the thought that Charlotte is here to watch him, to make sure he’s walking a line stinging and burning worse than his shame. And besides, they’re just talking and he’s only touching her foot.

“N-no,” she replies, her bottom lip caught between her teeth. “I just…haven’t found what I wanted…”

Her eyes travel over his shoulders and up his neck, their eyes meeting and it’s as if he’s sucked the air right out of her lungs, his fingers reaching around to rub behind her ankle. She feels sweat break out on her upper lip, her body incredibly warm and she wishes she could take off her cardigan.

“What do you want, Charlie?” he asks simply, his fingers working higher and he told himself he wouldn’t do this, wouldn’t go past her ankle but he is curious as to what she will do if he worked the tired muscles of her calves and her gasp echoes in his head, the warm water all around him doing little to quell the stirring in his groin. He swallows hard, moving back down and reaching for her other foot. “I mean, you’ve asked me that before. What do you want?” He chuckles, smiling at her in what he hopes is a friendly way, trying so desperately to remain neutral. They can’t do this again.

You, Charlotte thinks and thankfully Justin’s thumb presses sweetly against the arch of her foot at that exact moment causing her to gasp so the thought doesn’t slip out of her mouth on accident. He’s peering up at her curiously and the tension wafts around them, thick as the steam in the air and she knows she should pull back, should go back to her room but she doesn’t want to leave. She doesn’t want to lose his hands on her skin and the sound of his voice. She clears her throat, trying to clear her head. They can’t do this.

“I want…” she trails and pauses when his eyes meet hers, peering at her curiously and she smiles slightly as she says, “passion.” Justin shivers hard, his fingers stuttering over her ankle as she goes on. “I want love,” she says, looking off into the distance and the smile that pulls at her lips dazzles him, “and lust…and sex…and romance.” Her shoulders scrunch up to her ears as she sighs and looks at him again, not really registering that his fingers are moving up her calves. “I don’t want everything to add up to a perfect equation.” Her eyes go to the hills again, caught up in the thought and not realizing that he’s scooted closer to her. “I mean I want a mess and…and…” she brings her hands up in front of her gesturing as her face screws up searching for the right word. “and chaos. I want someone to go crazy out of his mind for me,” she says with a sigh and then blushes slightly, turning her eyes back towards him. “I mean isn’t that-”

She gasps, finding him directly in front of her, his hands sliding up her thighs and she doesn’t have time to think before his mouth meets hers fiercely. She doesn’t think, doesn’t question as she lets her arms snake around his shoulders, even though her brain is screaming to stop, they have to stop but her body won’t listen, the want curling between them desperately.

She gasps as he pulls her forward, her body sliding into the water and it’s almost like the warmth of his hands as they smooth across her chest, pushing at her sweater desperate for her skin. She kisses him dizzy and somewhere in his mind he knows this is wrong, knows that there will be hell to pay in the morning but he wants her, just wants her and right now in his own head it’s that simple. She’s sweet and she’s good and the feel of her fingertips sliding across his shoulder blades makes all the blood rush out of his head and he thinks no more.

Charlotte works her arms out of the wet fabric of her cardigan, the thin strap of her camisole falling off her shoulder as she floats over him, their legs tangling together in an attempt to keep their heads above water. His feet push off the wall, his hands going to her ass to keep them together as he propels them backwards, scrambling for a way to get her pressed against him. Her knees find the bench on either side of his hips, her hands reaching for the side of the tub just over his shoulders, giving herself the leverage to trap his body under hers. They both moan at the feeling of her pressing against him, her head tipping back at the feel of him solid and wanting under the fabric of his swim trunks. He takes the opportunity to drag his lips down her throat, panting at the feel of her hips rocking against his, her hands reaching to fist in his hair and finding none she lets her nails scrape against his scalp instead.

A shiver travels down his spine, his hands squeezing her ass and he has to fight the rise of pleasure that courses through him. His hands smooth up her back, pushing at the wet fabric of her camisole, the stretchiness of the fabric unwilling to part from her wet skin. It’s worth it when he gets it off though, his breath panting as her chest is revealed to him. Her back arches as he lifts her, the water aiding him in keeping her chest at his eye level, his lips dragging down the valley between her breasts. She cries out as his lips close around one nipple, his fingers rolling the other slowly, trying desperately to press against him but she’s sitting too high. Her fingers claw frantically for his hair, her short nails scratching feebly at his scalp, causing him to moan against her.

His lips close around her other nipple, drawing out a low moan of pleasure as his thumbs hook in the waistband of her shorts and panties, trying to force them down her thighs, the fabric wet and unyielding. She allows her body to float back to aid him, whimpering at the loss of his mouth on her skin but he kisses her feverishly, his tongue sliding against hers as he finally gets her shorts and panties to her knees. She kicks her legs urgently, her hands sliding into the water to grip his waist, her hands slick against his skin, slow from the resistance of the water and he’s never felt more alive than when her fingers tangle in the drawstring of his swim trunks, loosening them around his slim waist and reaching inside.

Charlotte’s hand closes around him, thick and solid and she just wants to touch him, her fingers, drawing lightly up his shaft and he hisses, reaching for her ass again, pulling her down against him. Her hands move to his waist again, feeling the hardness of his muscles, his heart hammering against his ribs. One of his hands comes between them and she feels him slide against her entrance, bringing himself up to press against her clit, teasing her just slightly before smoothing down again and her back arches as he penetrates her.

His hands go to her waist, his pulse pounding in his ears as she begins to lower herself onto him, her forehead pressing to his as one hand covers his on her waist and the other curls around the back of his neck. The combination of the water bubbling against her skin and the way Justin’s body is stretching hers has Charlotte reeling, her thighs trembling and the pull for release is so strong.

“Justin,” she whimpers, her hips coming flush against his and she feels the goose bumps break out over his skin at the sound of his name on her lips. So she says it again. “Justin…”

He growls, his feet pressing involuntarily against the bottom of the pool, shifting his hips up into her and the gentle force makes her gasp, her hands settling on his shoulders as he presses deep inside her.

“Are you okay?” he asks, that nagging feeling back that he’s pushed to far. He’s been told enough times by-

“Yes,” she breathes and it’s more of an exhalation than an answer to his question, pleasure painted across her face. “God, yes.”

He pants, a moan pulling from the back of his throat as he shifts her forward, his arms curling around her back as their chests crush together and her arms wrap around his shoulders. He hears the hitching of her breath, every gasp and whimper as she moves, her mouth right next to his ear. His hands move wetly up and down her back, his chin tucked over her shoulder as he does his best to remain in control. It’s easier this time he finds, able to enjoy the pleasure without the constant worry of pushing his release down. He takes the time to really feel her, feel the slick push and pull of her flesh over his, the softness of her skin as it slides slickly against his.

Her pace begins to quicken, a low growl pulling from her throat as her arms slide from his shoulders, moving to grip them in her hands, leaning back just slightly and he’s mystified by her, her mouth falling open as sounds of pleasure pull from her throat, the new angle seeming to send her to new heights. Her thighs spread wider over his and he sees stars, his eyes rolling back in his head. Charlotte tries to force her eyes open against the pleasure, tries to watch his face as his cheek twitches and his teeth grit as the feeling overtakes him and his eyes close, head tipping back, mouth falling open.

She uses his shoulders for leverage, bouncing hard against his lap, pulling a quiet shout from him, his hands surging under the water to grip her hips and guide her. He pulls her against him savagely, and he relishes in the roughness, his skin on fire, his body begging for release just as she is, pleading with him desperately. His hand moves to flatten against her lower back, pulling her against him roughly and the movement causes her clit to collide with his hipbone and her hands clutch at his shoulders as fire explodes down her legs. She shouts, her voice ringing in his ears as her back arches, pressing her hips harder against his as her body sucks at him desperately, her orgasm wringing her body out like a sponge.

Her hips slow but don’t stop, trying to still bring him pleasure though she’s weak and trembling. Her head lolls back, her breath panting as her hands smooth around the back of his neck, fingers itching for his curls but all she can do is scratch at his scalp. She looks down at him, finding him watching her face carefully, lust wild and potent, darkening his eyes to a stormy midnight blue. His lips are slightly parted, breath coming in quick pants and she rolls her hips quickly, her muscles tired and weak but the passion in his eyes fuels her.

“Fuck Charlie,” he groans, releasing his neck as his eyes roll back again and her hands keep his head from falling back, rising a little higher so that she can slam down onto him, feeling his thighs tremble beneath her. “Oh fuck…”

His hands claw desperately at her lower back before reaching down and grabbing handfuls of her ass, his hips pressing up into hers as his release hits him full force, his forehead resting against her breast bone, teeth grinding as his coats her insides, the feeling sending pinpricks of pleasure down her spine. Her fingers massage the back of his neck soothingly as he chokes on his own breath, every muscle in his body tight, pushing his release into her.

He lets out a loud groan as his body loosens finally, exhaustion and satisfaction making his brain hazy and clouded and he’s so unbelievably hot, the warm water now scalding him. Charlotte trembles over him, her hands still clutching at his shoulders, small whimpers pulling from her throat as she comes down and she can’t breathe, the air stifling around them, the thick steam catching in her throat.

They each pull back slightly, trembling hands sliding against skin wet from water and sweat and their wide eyes meet, their breath panting against each other’s lips. They can do nothing else but stare at each other blankly and let the wild feelings of confusion set in once again.

Chapter 24 by SomethingBlue42
Author's Notes:

OKay guys I am SO SORRY this took so friggin long! Coming back from Europe and staying in Jacksonville for like two weeks have me NO time for anything and then once I got home I had to go see everybody and just GAH!!! I know excuses excuses but seriouslytherewasareasonomg hahaha. Anyway I hope you guys enjoy this!

 

 

Charlotte’s stomach lurches with the elevator as it comes to a halt at the thirty-fifth floor. The hallway is quiet, morning light filtering feebly through the blinds that line the hallway, the noise of the city street below muffled by the glass as well as the height. She can’t help the trepidation she feels as her heels clack smartly against the tile, every step taking her closer and closer to him.  

L.A. had been like a dream. The air had been warm and the sky had been sunny and it was just so unlike New York. The pace was still quick but not breakneck, people were still superficial but less severe somehow. Maybe it was all the sun.

What she had expected to be a week of lengthy meetings inside cool conference rooms with straight-laced business men had turned out to be casual lunches at hip restaurants or eighteen holes with some of Justin’s oldest friends who just happened to be in the business. She never knew a time when her job had been more fun, handing him the necessary paper work between bites of the best sushi she’d ever eaten and providing him with numbers on the sixth hole at the Sherwood Country Club which boasted some of the most spectacular views from a golf course she had ever seen. They’d even managed a beach day out of a meeting with the head designer of his clothing company to discuss a possible swimwear line. And in between all of that, were the smiles and the touches, seemingly innocent to everyone but them. His hand would brush her thigh under the table and her skin would set itself on fire, one look over her shoulder would ignite him like an out of control blaze and the second they were alone they were clawing at each others’ clothes, teeth nipping at exposed skin. Afterwards they were dazed and sheepish, straightening their clothes in slightly awkward silence until one of them would crack a joke and they’d laugh it off.

There was always the silent promise of never again, certain unspoken boundaries set but deeper still was the knowledge that there was no stopping this thing. The guilt had been replaced by something stronger, something wild, a lust that neither of them could deny and while they never sought each other out, never made a consorted effort to come together that didn’t stop it from happening at random points when hormones got the best of their good judgment. And while they’d never shared a bed, never once even entered each others’ bedrooms, nothing stopped them from falling to the floor the second they entered Charlotte’s suite or him from bending her over the dining room table in Justin’s expansive penthouse. The lust was overpowering and potent, suffocating and maddening and while Charlotte feels that this is a poor excuse for her actions it didn’t seem to keep her from relenting when he reached for her.

But that was in L.A. The giddy post-sex high that had clouded her mind the entire week had begun to clear as she settled back into her apartment, unpacked her suitcase, and pulled out what she was going to wear for work the next day. It would be another day at the office, a day of doing Amelia’s bidding. Amelia.

It was then that the ramifications of her actions began to settle in. It wasn’t just one time anymore. It wasn’t just two times, not even three. She knew the number, but she wouldn’t allow herself to even think it. However, she couldn’t stop her mind from replaying each time over and over again, every touch branded into her memory. As the night wore on and her first morning back in the office loomed closer, the tug of pleasure in her stomach at these memories turned to butterflies and then to dread. How was she going to face Amelia? Guilt had never weighed easily on Charlotte. Ever since she was a little kid she’s been unable to handle the stress of knowing she was deliberately doing something wrong and this situation was much worse because not only was she doing something morally reprehensible, but the odds that someone was going to get hurt, and badly, were about as good as Amelia berating her outfit the next morning.

It had to stop. She knew it couldn’t go on, knew it from the first time, the second, the third and every time after that. Thinking about it now she wishes they would have stopped at the first, wishes she would have listened to herself when her better judgment warned that she needed time away from him. But she didn’t, and now here she is and they’re about to have this conversation again, the “we can’t do this anymore” speech. She wonders how he’ll take it. She wonders if he’ll agree. He should, he knew it from the first time too, and the second, and the third. She could tell by every guilty smile, every heaved sigh, every awkward silence.

She tucks the files under her arm and pulls her bottom lip between her teeth as she steps up to the door of his outer offices and takes a calming breath, her heart beating a little quicker than usual and she forces herself to remain calm as she pushes open the door.

“You’re a dirty bastard, you know that! A real asshole!”

Charlotte’s jaw drops at the scene in front of her, Felicity standing tall in Justin’s doorway, head held high and she doesn’t even have time to think before Felicity slams the door with all her might, the artwork rattling on the walls. Charlotte sputters, her mind stalling and flailing in her head, unsure whether or not to turn and leave or ask what the hell is going on. But before she has a chance to really decide, Felicity’s eyes fall on her and she blinks slowly before a radiant smile pulls at her lips.

“Oh, hey Charlotte! How was L.A.?”

Charlotte watches her slightly flabbergasted as she drops a packet of papers on her desk and takes her seat as if her outburst had never happened. Charlotte’s eyelids flutter as she tries to blink herself into understanding, watching Felicity nudge her mouse, her computer screen coming to life, acting as if she hadn’t just cursed out her boss thirty seconds before.

“That was good, Fee,” Justin says as the door to his office opens and Charlotte’s heart sets off at a canter, watching him perusing the packet in his hands. “But I think you need a little more build before you call me a bastard.” He looks up then, blue eyes crashing with hers and he blinks slowly before a wide grin pulls at his mouth. “Mornin’ Charlie!”

“Uh…” she stutters, still horribly confused as Justin leans over Felicity, resting his large hand on her shoulder as he shows her the packet.

“Right there,” he says, pointing on the page. “You should start to yell there.”

“Okay,” Felicity says, grabbing a pen and marking on the sheet. “Thanks.”

“No problem,” Justin says with a grin, patting her shoulder and his eyes fall on Charlotte again. “Don’t get any ideas, we’re just running lines,” Justin says, turning to saunter back into his office and it takes her a minute to realize his double entendre.

“Oh, I’ve called you much worse than bastard,” Charlotte says with a smirk, and she shivers as he throws back his head in a laugh.

“Get the fuck in here,” he says, turning towards her as he reaches his desk, leaning against the front of it and she swallows hard, stepping into his office. “Get the door,” he adds simply as she steps inside and she gives him a warning look. He returns it innocently, simply nodding his head towards the door, turning and shuffling some things across his desk.

She turns somewhat reluctantly and peeks out at Felicity who’s pouring over her script, completely oblivious to anything else around her. Charlotte supposes she should consider herself lucky that Fee doesn’t realize how strange it is for Justin to invite her in and then ask her to close the door. She shakes her head before pressing the door shut with a soft snap. Justin isn’t stupid enough to try anything with Felicity right outside, and this would give her the opportunity to talk to him, to tell him once and for all that this thing between them had to be over. They needed to be friends. Just friends.

She sighs, turning back towards him and jumps, finding him a breath away, a look of pleasant amusement on his face. “What brings you here this fine morning, Charlie Beth?” he questions, his hands slipped easily in his pockets, eyes roving over her slowly and if she hadn’t seen it a thousand times right before he grabbed her and kissed the shit out of her, she wouldn’t even know that is exactly what he’s thinking about.

“Um…I have some stuff for you to look at,” she says slowly, her voice almost a whisper and he can’t help but grin at her caution.

He’d wondered how she’d react to being in New York again, figured she’d be a little jumpy because she was always jumpy where Amelia was concerned. He winces internally, pushing down the quick pang of guilt that lacerates him. He’d come home Sunday night, jetlagged and down trodden, the idea of business as usual on Monday morning nearly crushing him. L.A. had been the kind of business he’d given up recording for, the free exchange of ideas about Grateman’s tour, set lists and stage layouts, talks of distribution and touring with Kalayah, ideas for his summer line. All the things that he enjoyed, not call sheets and account management, not begging for more funding and kissing ass to get ahead.

“What stuff,” he asks with a sigh, holding his hand out and Charlotte provides him with the file in her hand.

“Budget stuff.”

“Of course,” Justin mutters, flipping through the pages, disinterestedly. His eyes flick to her, taking in the way her dress hangs on her small shoulders, the belt cinched around her waist accentuating the swell of her hips. He licks his lips. “You look good.”

“Huh?” her eyes widen, shifting slightly as his eyes crawl over her, traveling from her hips down her legs.

“Your dress,” he says, his eyes lingering on her breasts for a moment before tossing the file onto the sideboard. “I like it.” He smiles at her blush, enjoying the color on her cheeks and he can feel that pull in his stomach.

“Thank…thank you,” she stutters softly, looking at the ground as she tucks her hair behind her ear, her heart swelling under his praise.

“Green’s a nice color on you,” he presses, taking a cautious step forward and she looks up, her eyes slightly wide. “Brings out your eyes.” His fingers brush her cheek and he grins widely at how her eyelids flutter.

“Justin,” she says, laughter in her voice as her cheeks flame and she tucks her chin away, avoiding his touch in a bashful way and he laughs. “This isn’t a good idea.”

“What?” he asks, slipping his hands in his pockets and regarding her amusedly, enjoying the tension.

“This.”

“What?” Justin asks again, looking around in mock confusion. “Me complimenting you?”

“No, you know what I me-”

“You could compliment me,” he suggests, as if he hadn’t heard her, trying to force his grin down and she sighs. “You could say ‘Justin that suit looks very nice on you.’”

Charlotte sighs, unable to control her smile at how adorable he is. And he knows it, grinning widely at her. She rolls her eyes. “Justin that suit looks very nice on you,” she intones, capping it with a giggle and another roll of her eyes.

“’The tie is both classy and fun,’” Justin prompts, looking down at himself as he smoothes his tie down his chest and now Charlotte can’t help but laugh.

“The tie is both classy and fun,” she parrots, watching him amusedly.

“’The shirt looks comfortable and classic, a nice color, offsetting your skin tone beautifully,’” he teases and Charlotte lets out a scoff of a laugh.

“You are ridiculous,” she says and when he pouts she sighs. “Oh Jesus – ‘the shirt looks comfortable and classic, a nice color offsetting your skin tone beautifully.”

“and it would look better crumpled on the floor…”

“And it would look better…” She gasps her eyes widening. “Justin!” she scolds in a heated whisper and he breaks into near hysteric laughter, clapping his hands together. “Felicity is right outside,” Charlotte stutters watching her feet shuffle embarrassedly.

A knock sounds on the door and they turn at the sound, Charlotte jumping noticeably and Justin laughs again.

“Yeah,” he says, shaking his head and Felicity’s coppery head peeks in through the door.

“Hey, I’m gonna hit Starbucks. Bee ahr bee.”

She doesn’t even wait for a response, just lets the door close with a snap and Justin does his best to suppress his grin, an eyebrow lifting and Charlotte can only stare back wide-eyed.

“Well this is an interesting turn of events,” Justin chuckles, taking a smooth step closer to her, just a breath away now and her heart sets off at a run.

“Justin, about what’s going on between us-”

But before she has a chance to get the words out, his hand is cupping her face and his mouth presses to hers slowly, almost cautious, as if she were going to stop him but when she doesn’t it’s more urgent, his lips sliding over hers. Her hand comes up, fingers wrapping around his wrist with the idea of pulling him away, but when his tongue slips past her lips she just holds him there, caught up in the taste of him, so familiar after a week of nothing but him.

 “Justin,” she says, panting just slightly, some of her coherency coming back as his lips smudge across her jaw, one large hand coming up to turn her head to the side to give him access to the long column of her neck. “We said this wasn’t going to happen anymore.”

His chuckle vibrates against her skin and she shivers. “Yeah, but then we did it again…” he says, his voice light and playful as his hands smooth down her arms, reaching for her hips.

She fights for composure, his lips smudging against her pulse point slowly making her weak. “Yeah but-”

“…lots of places…” Justin continues as if he hadn’t heard her, suddenly lost in the memories flashing through his brain, the pull in his groin torturously sweet.

Charlotte struggles, doing her best to keep focus, “-its different now that we’re not-
        
“-like that one time in the car-”

–in LA anymore and–”
        
“ –and then on the floor. God, we couldn’t even make it to the–”

“Amelia is going to–”

Her words are not halted by his own this time but instead by his reaction to them. His body stiffens, the muscles of his back going ridged and he lets her go, taking a small step back. His brow is drawn, pained by something she’s not sure of, maybe guilt, maybe the fact that she’s trying to brush him off. She’s truly sorry for the loss and habit has her reaching for his face, her fingertips swiping quickly along his jaw before dropping her hand and looking away.

“Justin,” she says softly and watches his face soften as she speaks his name, his hand reaching for her but she holds hers out in protest. “This was a bad idea from the start and you know it.”

Charlotte’s voice is calm, placating and he doesn’t appreciate the kid gloves. He let himself get revved up, let the memories outweigh the consequences and now his body is on fire, fingers itching for her skin, tongue longing to wrap around hers and he can’t remember the last time he felt passion like this. It’s reckless and fearless and surprisingly easy but then again things with Charlotte were usually a lot easier than things with-

“We don’t have to talk about this right now,” he says softly, his hand reaching tentatively for her hip. “Come on-”

“No, you come on,” she says, her voice slightly perturbed as she places a hand on his chest to stop him and Justin sighs. “We’re back in New York now,” she says and he’s mesmerized by the greenness of her eyes, the redness of her lips shaking his focus. She swallows hard, looking down at her hand against the soft blue of his dress shirt.

“You’re…you’re engaged.”

Justin’s hand snatches back from her and he sighs, turning away as he brings his hands up to run over his head, the short bristles of his hair scratchy against his palm. He really doesn’t want to think about this right now. If he doesn’t think about it then there’s nothing to figure out. If he doesn’t think about it then he can just enjoy this. He knows deep down it can’t go on, shouldn’t go on, but he’s not ready to let it go just yet. He consoles himself in thinking that if he’d just been having sex on at least a semi-regular basis that he’d be able to stop himself. When he allows himself to think about it at all that is.

“You know it’s wrong, Justin,” Charlotte says softly and he cringes turning back towards her.

“Charlie-”

“Don’t you ‘Charlie’ me,” she argues and he scowls petulantly, crossing his arms over his chest. “This…this isn’t good for either of us…we shouldn’t be-”

“But we are,” Justin cuts her off and before she has a chance to open her mouth he lets his fingers wrap around her biceps and bends his knees slightly so they are eye to eye. “Charlotte, we are.”

“We should stop,” she says weakly, trying to remain determined as he unleashes the full power of his soulful blue eyes on her.

“Why?” he asks a little harsher then he intended and when she jumps he lets his hands run up and down her biceps, trying to soothe. “I’m sorry…I just…”

He heaves a sigh, letting his head hang back, trying to understand the gnarled tangle of his emotions, trying to think of a way to explain this to her. He knows what she’s thinking, knows she’s just trying to protect herself and he wants to tell her she doesn’t need to. This isn’t something cheap and dirty and he has every intention of treating her with the respect she deserves. He would never hurt her. Not on purpose. He knows it’s not right, knows he’s probably royally fucking up his karma but he doesn’t want to let go just yet. Not yet.

“I just…I feel like I’m happy for the first time in…God, I can’t even remember.” He chuckles slightly, letting his eyes close as he heaves a sigh and she shivers as she feels it rush against her lips. “I know…” he pauses, peeking at her from under his lashes and his voice is barely a whisper when he continues. “I know this can’t…” he pauses and sighs again, not wanting to say the words. “I know okay.”

“Someone is going to get hurt-”

“No one has to know.”

“She sees everything.”

He snorts. “No…she really doesn’t.”

“Justin,” Charlotte whines with a sigh, bringing her hand up to rub against her face, her resolve cracking and she wishes that he would stop looking at her like that.

“It has nothing to do with her,” Justin says and Charlotte eyes him hard her hand falling to her side again.

“It has everything to do with her-”

“No, it doesn’t!” he insists and he doesn’t realize he’s raised his voice until he takes in the wideness of her eyes. “It doesn’t,” he adds, his voice even this time and she eyes him skeptically. “This is between me and you.”

Charlotte blinks at him, her heart stalling slightly. “M-me and you?” she questions and he nods, his hands still moving up and down her arms, more slowly now, just feeling the softness of her skin.

“Yeah,” he says quietly, his eyes on her lips, pulling his own bottom one between his teeth, the pull to kiss her so strong.

“And…what…what exactly…” Charlotte stutters, mesmerized by the seductive sweep of his tongue against his bottom lip. “What exactly does that entail?”

“Entail?” he questions, unsure of her meaning, stuttering back to consciousness, his eyes meeting hers for the first time and a warmness settles in his belly.

“Me and you…” she breathes and his eyelids flutter at the way it fans his lips, making him slightly dizzy so it takes him a moment to understand her words.

She wants a definition? He bristles slightly, his hands falling from her arms. What is it with women and definitions? Can’t they just enjoy the moment? Amelia bugged him for years about where they stood and the questions only really stopped once she’d gotten the ring on her finger. He shakes his head. He doesn’t want to think about that right now.

“We’re friends, Charlie,” he says before really thinking about it, and watches something he doesn’t quite understand bloom across her face.

“Friends?” she chuckles, nodding slightly in a condescending way. “Okay...”

“We are,” he insists, his hands coming up to cup her face and he watches her pupils dilate, her face going stoic and he smiles. “We’re really…” he brushes his nose against hers slightly, letting his breath fan her lips. “close…” his bottom lip brushes against her top one and he smirks at her sharp intake of breath. “…friends.”

His hand slips under her hair, around the back of her neck, his mouth crushing to hers and the want for her washes through his body in warm tingles, traveling from his chest and distributing itself through his limbs, the tips of his fingers and down to the tips of his toes, burning with it. His tongue seeks hers, pushing past her lips and she hums softly in protest, her hands coming between them again, pushing and he wrenches his mouth from hers, perturbed slightly by the interruption.

“But…” she says with a sigh, keeping her eyes closed for as long as possible, holding on to the last shreds of her resolve with all she has. “We’re in your office. We can’t do this here…”

It’s a weak argument and she knows it and the raise of his eyebrow makes her blush, knowing he’s remembering their first time, her legs curled around him on the desk. He’s staring at her steadily, a quiet lust causing his blue eyes to turn a darker shade of navy. He doesn’t move, doesn’t say anything, just waits and lets her make her own decision. Or maybe he’s waiting because he already knows her decision. The small smile tugging at his full lips makes her think it’s probably the latter.

She knows its wrong, knows it with every fiber of her being, but unfortunately those fibers are also longing for him, her body begging for his after becoming so accustomed to getting it over the past week. Her heart is calling to him and right now, in this moment, he’s willing to answer. She knows there will come a time, probably soon, that he won’t and the knowledge pains her already, common sense screaming that she needs to stop this now but a bigger part of her, the desperate part, wants to savor this while she can. She sighs.

“We are so going to hell for-”

She can’t even finish her sentence, his hands reaching swiftly for her hips, and she’s in his arms before she even realizes what’s happening. He swallows her gasp as he lifts her from the floor, right out of her shoes, walking the few steps to pin her back against the door, drawing her legs around his waist. Her forehead leans against his, still slightly dazed as she looks down at him, slightly taller since he’s lifted her. A wave of heat washes through her as she feels his hands work their way under her dress, fingers hooking in her panties and trying to yank them down, feeling him smile as he presses his mouth to hers again and again.

“This is so wrong,” she pants, breathless, her arms circling his shoulders to help support her weight as his hands leave her, the jingling of his belt sounding over the softness of the radio.

“Shhh,” he chides playfully, as his hands work roughly up her thighs, forcing her dress higher and he’s blinded by want, hand coming up to fist in her hair as he tugs her head back, his mouth opening against her throat.

“Fee’s gonna come back and we’re gonna be screwed,” she lightly protests with a chuckle, fingers threading at the back of his neck and even after a week of this she still longs to wrap her hands through his curls.

Her heartbeat increases as a rustle of fabric sounds and she knows his pants and boxers are at his ankles. He lets out a throaty chuckle that steals her breath and she wonders how anyone ever resisted him as he pulls back just enough so that she can see his face, his lips twisted in a crooked grin.

“We’ll just have to be quick then, won’t we?”

She gasps as she feels him smooth against her folds, slicking the head in her wetness before searching for her entrance and slipping slowly inside. Her arms lock around his shoulders, her head falling back against the wood of the door with a dull thump as a deep sigh of satisfaction rushes past his lips. He presses his face to her neck, his hands cupping her ass, supporting her weight as he gives her a slow thrust, savoring the feeling of her body snug around his. Her legs lock around his waist, ankles crossing at his lower back and exhilaration zooms through his veins at the feeling of her pulling him in, tugging him closer and he’s glad that they agreed this should be quick.

She lets out a quiet yelp of surprise as he drives into her quickly. Usually he gives her a little more time to adjust, to just feel him but he’d said they’d have to be quick and with the way her thighs are trembling she isn’t exactly complaining. His hand comes up to wrap in her hair, cupping the back of her head, his mouth feverish on her own and his next thrust is less severe but just as deep, pulling a deep groan from her chest.

“You okay?” he asks, his voice rough, pulled deep from his chest, his hips bumping against hers savagely, each thrust pulling a grunt of pleasure from her.

“Uh-huh,” is all she can manage and her eyes sink shut as a wide smile pulls at his lips, his face burying in her neck as her head falls back against the door.

They don’t speak then, barely make a sound, soft groans muted against skin and shaky sighs breathed against ears. It’s only been a week but he feels like he knows her body well enough now, knows how to roll his hips just right to make her breathing hitch, knows about the tender spot under her ear that makes her shiver, knows the rhythm that makes her back arch. He’s setting it now, listening to each sharp intake of breath, feeling her thighs tense against his hips and he’s on fire knowing that it’s taking everything in her not to cry out.

He pulls back just slightly, planting his hands against the door behind him and bending his knees just slightly, causing her to slide harder against him. Her head falls forward, a quiet “oh” falling past her lips as her forehead collides with his and she thinks she hears him chuckle just slightly, a low groan pulling from his throat when her ankles cross tighter, pulling him deeper still. His breathing hitches and her breath pants harshly against his lips, his tongue snaking out to wet them as he looks down and through heavy lidded eyes he sees the glint of her necklace bouncing against her breast bone with the force of his thrusts. He stifles a moan against the side of her neck, his teeth nipping at her skin and he can feel the tension in his groin building.

“Are you-”

“Yes,” she breathes before he even has a chance to get the words out and he should have known by the way her fingers are winding in the fabric of his shirt, her thighs shaking.

Her throat closes on a scream as her body begins to tighten, forcing it down, trying to breathe, feeling his nose draw from the crook of her shoulder to just below her ear, his warm breath fanning her hair, tickling her earlobe. She hears his strangled groan, feels his hips stutter slightly in that tale tell sign that he’s practically there and the very idea detonates her like a bomb, causing her to throw her head back, forcing her lips to stay together so all she emits is a strangled whimper. She gasps as she hears his hand curl into a fist against the door, his short nails scraping against the wood before she feels it in her hair, fingers winding in her long locks as he lets out a quiet groan into her neck. His hips stop, pressing as deep as possible as his release rockets through his body, trembling with the force of it and Charlotte is grateful for the door behind her as he slumps against her.

They’re still for several seconds, Charlotte’s breath panting against the shell of his ear, his rustling against her collarbone. He lets out a low groan, a sigh rushing against the side of her neck and his nose, nuzzles just underneath her ear, a smile pulling at her lips as she feels him inhale deeply before pulling back and letting her wobbly legs slide to the ground.

It’s only slightly awkward, both of them grinning sheepishly as Justin bends down to pull up his pants and his boxers, Charlotte shimmying slightly, trying to push her skirt down to a more appropriate length. She bites her lip, scanning the floor for her underwear while trying not to watch as Justin buttons his pants and buckles his belt. But her attention is turned to him when he lets out a low whistle and she looks up finding him examining a pair of hot pink panties – her panties.

“Oh god, give me tho-” she says, snatching for them but he cuts her off.

“’Simply Irresistible’ huh?” he teases, examining the rhinestone letters on the back. “Well, I can’t help but agree-”

“Give me those!” Charlotte exclaims, ripping them from his hand, her cheeks flaming as she bends down. “I had no idea I was going to-”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah,” Justin cuts her off, offering her his hand for balance and politely turning his head as she works her underwear back up her legs.

“So this is how this is gonna go now?” Charlotte asks, her voice slightly uncertain as she lets go of his hand, her toes slipping back into her shoe. She wobbles slightly, her hand reaching out for his shoulder and he presses his hand against her lower back to support her as she slips her foot in the other.

“I sure hope so,” Justin grins pecking her temple as he lets her go, adjusting himself between his legs and Charlotte is about to reply sharply but when she looks up and finds him practically strutting across the office, she giggles instead. “Don’t think so much,” he chides, moving back behind his desk and flopping into his chair, wiggling until he’s comfortable.

Don’t think so much? That’s his answer to her? She shakes her head, the frustration welling up again. She wants answers. She wants honesty, with her and with himself. She has this overpowering urge to smack him, to shake him but he looks so damn happy, that goofy ass smile still on his face as he peruses his calendar that it dissipates quickly. She can’t help but smile herself.

“I’m back!” Felicity’s voice calls, muffled by the door and Justin grins as Charlotte jumps. “Why’s this door clo-” Fee cuts off seeing Charlotte standing in the middle of the office and gives them a confused look. “Oh Charlotte, you’re still here?”

“Yeah, she’s helping me with the budget,” Justin says easily, throwing his feet up on the desk. “Did you know she was a finance major?”

“Ew no,” Felicity says, her nose wrinkling and Charlotte chuckles.

“My sentiments exactly,” Charlotte responds and Justin laughs.

“Grab that file there, Charlie,” Justin says, gesturing to the sideboard and Charlotte snatches it, doing her best not to let her legs wobble. “Give it a glance and tell me what you think.” He adds as she’s about to hand it to him and she stops, blinking slowly.

“Um…” she stutters slightly, opening the file and glancing at the numbers inside. Her brow furrows. “Good lord, what kind of accountant do you have?”

“I dunno his name is Vinny Tuscano but he asked me to call him Vinny the Fish,” Justin says with a dramatic shrug and Charlotte looks up at him alarmed. “I’m kidding, Charlotte,” Justin says as if she’s stupid and she glares at him. “Is there something wrong in there?”

“Well your revenue is…” Charlotte says, flipping through pages, frowning. “Has your accountant talked to you about your profit margin?”

Justin blinks at her slowly. “Profit margin? That’s the money we’re making right?”

“Yes,” Charlotte responds with a slight laugh. “It looks like your projected budget is really close to what you’re making.”

“Is that bad?” Justin asks, watching her face as her eyes scan the document, an unfamiliar feeling of dread pulling in his stomach. He wasn’t used to being concerned with money.

“No,” Charlotte says slowly, her eyes still combing over the page. “No, not necessarily. I mean, I’ve only glanced at it but it doesn’t seem like you’re in any danger of not breaking even it’s just-”

“Justin!” Felicity hollers from the other room. “Amelia’s on the phone!”

They both cringe, eyes meeting for the briefest of moments before looking away. “Yeah, I got it,” Justin hollers, reaching for the phone.

“Have these looked at,” Charlotte whispers, setting the file in front of him before she goes to leave and Justin nods, giving her a tense smile as he pulls the phone to his ear.

“…and I don’t care if your mother is on her death bed you’re not to use my name to get anything…

Justin sighs. “Amelia…baby…”

Charlotte cringes as she reaches the door, anger and hurt swelling inside her so fast it almost makes her sick and she fights the urge to turn back and give him an accusatory look. She has to get used to that, has to accept that the pet names and the softness in his voice are going to be something she has to endure if whatever it is they’re doing continues. He’s in a relationship, engaged. Jealousy and hurt aren’t really an option for her, not a plausible one at least. That doesn’t stop her from feeling them. She closes her eyes and takes a deep breath, forcing her legs to move, stepping out of the door and trying to ignore the slickness still smeared on her thighs.

Justin watches Charlotte go, a sigh pulling from his throat, guilt burning in his chest. Talking to his fiancé barely ten minutes after fucking her assistant doesn’t sit well with him. None of this really sits well with him and the voice in his head that’s been calling him a coward has started to sing a different tune, one that sounds eerily like selfish prick. Maybe Charlotte was right. Maybe they should stop this. He and Amelia have been together for such a long time, they’re engaged for chrissake. He’s risking everything he’s worked so hard to build, fought so hard to keep together, for what? For a quick fuck against his office door?

“Oh good, you’re there,” he hears Amelia say and he hears her sigh rattle across the line. “Did Charlotte ever get there?”

Oh she got there all right. “Yes,” he stutters, clearing his throat, letting his large hand smooth across his desk calendar as the guilt eats at him. “She just left.”

“Justin, darling,” Amelia says heaving another sigh and he cringes. Her calling him “darling” is never a good sign. “You and I need to talk.” Definitely not a good sign.

“What about, sugar?” he asks, trying to keep his voice light as his skin starts to crawl, dread settling in the pit of his stomach.

“Have you checked your email this morning?”

“You wanna talk about my emailing habits?” he questions, spinning in his chair to face his computer, swirling the mouse until it comes to life.

“Ha ha, Justin you’re just too droll,” Amelia says, her voice dripping with sarcasm and Justin can’t help but laugh.

“Droll?”

“Justin-”

“Did you seriously just say droll?”

“Oh would you sto-”

“What are we in a Sherlock Holmes novel?”

“That’s not the poin-”

Justin chuckles, putting on a stuffy British accent. “I say Amelia you are just too droll for your own go-”

“JUSTIN WILL YOU LISTEN TO ME PLEASE!”

Justin goes quiet, his long fingers tangling in the phone cord biting his lip as the playfulness fades and the guilt he’d been trying to mask with it gnaws ruthlessly at his insides. As much as Amelia got on his nerves sometimes, it was conversations like this, where she used stupid words like “droll” that made him really kind of love her, made him slip back into a time when they were just two kids running around New York like they owned the place, back when nothing was complicated and they just loved each other. Before everything got so fucked up.

“You just said please,” he points out, trying to put some of the previous humor in his voice, but regret tastes bitter in his mouth and he hears her sigh. He tries again, “You never say please. I think I should mark this on my calendar-”

“I emailed you this morning with a few links,” Amelia says quickly, her voice firm, showing no indication that she suspects anything amiss and for once he’s grateful she’s missed his less than chipper tones.

“Yes, I see it here,” he says, cradling the phone between his shoulder and his ear, clicking on the first link.

Justin’s brow furrows as one of those celebrity blogs comes up and pictures of himself, Johann Lindeberg, and Charlotte fill his screen. It was the day they’d spent at the beach under the guise of discussing a new swimsuit line for his clothing company but in all honesty it was a way to let Charlotte see the Pacific Ocean which she’d never seen before. They’d had a good enough time and honestly by the end of the “meeting” he was almost convinced it’d be a good idea if they did do a swimwear line. They’d gotten back to the hotel, drained from the sand and surf, skin stinging from getting a little too much sun and when Justin had followed Charlotte to her room to borrow some of the aloe she’d had the foresight to bring he’d gotten a chance to see her tan lines.

“Did you click the link?” Amelia asks, breaking his train of thought and he shakes his head as if trying to shake away the memory, but when he shifts uncomfortably in his chair he can still feel the rug burns on his knees.

“Yeah, I did. Me at the beach,” he says absently, clicking through the group of photos watching Charlotte hand him a pen and paper, watching himself and Johann point down the beach, seeing their heads all thrown back in laughter.

“You and Charlotte at the beach,” Amelia corrects and Justin’s blood runs cold. “Click the next one.”

Justin’s hand is shaking hard as he clicks the next link, sending him to another celebrity blog, this time with pictures of him and five or six dancers from his last tour along with Charlotte, all leaving Katsuya in Studio City. Nick and Mischa are laughing and carrying on behind him and Charlotte who have their heads resolutely down. His hand hovers at her lower back. They hadn’t even made it to the hotel that night, him pulling her right over the gearshift and into his lap in the parking garage…

“Justin,” Amelia’s voice is calm, devoid of emotion and he feels like his heart is going to hammer it’s way out of his chest, sure she can hear it through the phone. “Justin, there are six links there, all of which show you and Charlotte together.”

How could he have been so stupid? How could he have thought that she wouldn’t find out? The distance and the anger had kept him from really thinking about the consequences too much but now with Amelia’s voice in his ear, knowing she is just across town and not across the country he realizes everything he could lose. They’d been together for three years. They’re involved in each other’s families, have a home together, share a life together. They’re engaged. And he has been putting all of that in jeopardy for what? A few fleeting moments with a girl who he hasn’t even known a year, who while he considered her one of his closest friends was still just that, a friend…or maybe some weird hybrid version of the term that allowed for the intense connection he feels with her now, but that could just be the sex. Confusion swirls in him and he tries not to think about that part right now. That was him and Charlotte and he couldn’t deal with that when he was trying to deal with him and Amelia.

If there was even going to be a “him and Amelia” after this conversation. Shame and sadness cause his voice to shake slightly but he’s ready to take whatever Amelia has to dish out, feeling he deserves her wrath.

“Yeah, I-”

“Honey, you don’t have to hang out with her,” Amelia says, her voice slightly pitying and he blinks slowly, his mind spinning its wheels, unsure as to what to say.

“Huh?” is all he can manage, his heart still thudding unevenly in his chest as he rests his elbow on his desk, rubbing his forehead wearily.

“It’s very sweet of you to try and include her since she doesn’t have any real friends but,” Amelia lets out a small laugh, “you don’t have to pretend to be her friend. Remember I do pay her.”

She doesn’t know, doesn’t suspect a thing. Relief so intense it’s almost disorienting floods him and he sighs, vowing that he’s going to be better. Going to stop this thing between he and Charlotte, whatever it is. She was right, it can’t go on and he’s not willing to risk what he has, what he’s built, what he’s sacrificed everything for. He’s not ready to let go. He blinks. He’s not going to let go, he means.

“I…I…” Justin stutters, he chuckles at the absurd perplexity of it all. “Yeah I know. I just…I mean it didn’t really bother me. Her tagging along.” He winces, feeling his slight even if Charlotte couldn’t.

“Okay well, I just wanted to make sure you knew that,” Amelia says, her voice somewhat placating and Justin nods as if she can see him. “How was your trip anyway?”

Her voice is offhand and he can hear the rustling of papers in the background. “Good,” he says simply, guilt gnawing at him, caution unwilling to let him say more.

“Good,” Amelia says, her voice jovial and he can’t help the small smile that pulls at his lips. He loves when she sounds genuinely happy. “Well, I have to go,” she says, her voice disgruntled again and Justin sighs. “These girls, I swear, Justin. Public education in the country is a joke.”

“Lucky you went to boarding school then, huh baby,” Justin teases and laughs when he hears her sigh wearily.

“You’re just full of jokes this morning, aren’t you?” Amelia snaps and Justin licks his lips looking down and shaking his head chastised. “Well I’m glad you’re in a good mood because over the next couple weeks we have a lot of work to do and I don’t want to listen to you whine.”

“When have I ever whined-”

“We have to go to the florist and finalize the arrangements. Charlotte is going to pick up the samples on Thursday and bring them here so you’ll need to clear your afternoon. We’re going to have to meet with the photographer because our wedding announcement absolutely has to be in the Times style section by the end of the month.”

“Oh, who’s shooting?” Justin asks, nudging the folder in front of him with his finger and he hears Amelia’s sigh rattle through the line.

“Annie Lebowitz, Justin who else? I’ve only been talking about this for months. Isabel was supposed to call and confirm her for next week but there was some kind of problem.” Amelia scoffs. “Something about being in Connecticut for her godson’s bar mitzvah… I’m having Charlotte call as soon as she gets back.”

“Well, honey, it sounds like she’s unava-”

“And we have to book the transportation for the day. I need to know who all from your family needs limousines-”

Justin eyes the folder in front of him, opening it slowly. “Babe, can’t we just get the town car to-”

“And we need to look at decorations. Patti has a few options for us to look at. Next Tuesday works for me so have Felicity clear your schedule. Oh and we need to book the hotel rooms for all the guests. I was thinking the Plaza-”

“Whoa, the Plaza?” Justin interjects, his eyes pulling from the rows and rows of numbers on the page in front of him. “That’s awfully pricey-”

“My parents are taking care of it,” Amelia says offhandedly. “And we need to do another cake tasting-”

“Your parents are taking care of it?” Justin interrupts frowning. “I thought we agreed they were just going to pay for the ceremony and reception.”

“Well, yes dear, but this is part of the wedding and-”

“I thought we agreed to take care of the outside stuff, like the hotel rooms and the car services and what not,” Justin says, eyes pulling to the folder again, wishing he could decipher the information inside and he hears Amelia’s tinkling laugh.

“Darling, we did but Daddy doesn’t mind and the Plaza is so much-”

“Amelia, I’ve told you a thousand times,” Justin says, pinching the bridge of his nose as a headache begins to bloom behind his eyes. “I don’t want your parents giving us hand outs. We make more than enough to-”

“Justin, we need one hundred and twelve hotel rooms,” Amelia snaps. “The Plaza-”

“Is too expensive for that many rooms? Yeah I know. Which is why I’m saying we need to do something else,” Justin says, noticing for the first time that the column of numbers titled “Expenses” and the column entitled “Revenue” are almost uncomfortably close in denomination. The line is quiet. “Amelia?”

“Yes, I’m here,” she says, her voice cold and Justin sighs.

“Baby, you know I give you everything I can-”

“My father is willing to pay-”

“I don’t care!” Justin says, his voice raising, his ears going hot as he slams the folder shut. He can provide for his family. He’s been doing it since he was seventeen years old. “I’m not taking a hand out from your parents. We said we’d handle the-”

“Well, I do care!” Amelia yells back and a stab of pain sears through Justin’s head. He needs an aspirin. “I don’t know about the backwards people you grew up with but my friends expect more than the Marriot, Justin!”

“Fine,” Justin says with a sigh, rubbing his temple slowly. “Fine, whatever.”

“Perhaps they can get us a deal at a Holiday Inn down in Hoboken,” Amelia mutters cruelly. “Your people will feel right at home.”

“I said, fine,” Justin snaps firmly and he can hear her bristle across the line. “We’ll discuss this later. Is there anything else?”

“Yes,” Amelia says and Justin fights the urge to let his head drop to his desktop. “Next Friday I’m getting the bridal party together for dinner at Remi.”

“Why?” Justin asks wearily, suddenly very tired but at least the guilt has subsided somewhat.

“Because that’s where we’re having the rehearsal dinner. Bianca wanted-”

“Bianca?” Justin questions, his eyes flying open and he fights the groan of disdain in his throat.

“Yes, Justin she is my Maid of Honor,” Amelia replies condescendingly. “Anyway, I want to make sure they’re going to be able to handle our headcount. It’ll be fun.”

Justin couldn’t imagine how a night out with all of Amelia’s snotty debutante friends would classify as fun.

“So it’s just gonna be me and a bunch of girls,” Justin asks, his voice sullen and he hears Amelia sigh.

“No, of course not, they’re bringing their husbands and boyfriends and what not. You can talk sports and money all you like,” Amelia says, a teasing lilt to her voice and Justin does his best not to grumble.

“Yeah, sports and money. My fave,” he can’t help but saying and he hears a clicking sound indicative of Amelia switching ears, her earrings scraping against the plastic.

“Yes, it should be a nice evening,” she replies disinterestedly. “I’ve got to go, Kristin has just handed me something that’s going to wreck my whole week.”

“I’m sorry,” Justin says automatically, his eyes drawing once again to the folder in front of him, nudging it uneasily.

“Yes, well, I’ll see you at home. I’m going to be late. I’m meeting a few A&R guys for drinks.”

“Fine, fine,” Justin says, heaving a tired sigh. “I’ll see you then.”

“Hey,” she says and he lets his eyes close, not thinking he can handle one more thing. “It’s good to have you back on my side of the country,” she says, a hint of playfulness in her voice and something inside him tugs and tears, his throat closing as a well of emotion washes over him.

“Yeah,” he says softly, guilt gnawing at him ruthlessly and all he can do is love her. “Yeah, it’s good to be home.”

“Alright, I’ll talk to you later,” she says offhandedly and Justin swallows hard.

“Yeah, I love-” but a click cuts him off and the line goes dead. He sighs. “…you.” He finishes to no one and sits with the phone to his ear for a long moment, listening to the static on the line and wondering how the hell he’s gotten himself into this mess.
Chapter 25 by SomethingBlue42
It’s Red Carpet Hour in New York City.

On Friday nights between eight and nine the most glamorous of the city’s inhabitants don the pair of Manolo Blaniks they did not get on sale and the cufflinks from Nathan Tim that they bought specifically for tonight. They put on their newest Diane von Furstenberg dresses and Hugo Boss suits, get their hair and nails done. Because tonight is Red Carpet Hour in New York City and if they don’t look good they don’t get in. For the ones that have that problem anyway.

Justin seriously wishes he had that problem. But when you’re engaged to Amelia Domineck doors open for you. Literally. He barely has time to reach for the handle, prepared to open the frosted glass door of Remi for his fiancé before it swings open seemingly of its own accord and a small man in a heavy jacket ushers them inside.

Compared to the large breezy atrium they’d just come from, the lobby is fairly cozy, the small space holding little more than a host’s podium before opening into a larger space where diners chatter excitedly, their eyes glancing around hungrily at the other clientele. Justin hates this sort of thing. He’s been stared at enough for one lifetime. The open mind he’s been trying to keep all day is wearing thin and he tries to console himself with the fact that at least he’ll be getting a decent meal out of this charade. He’s been suffering on a high protein low carb diet all week, courtesy of his new “wedding or bust” nutritionist and he is ready to throw that out the window with some fine Italian cuisine. He isn’t sure if this is good on Amelia’s part, bribing him into not complaining, or simply a coincidence.

“Reservation?”

Justin blinks slowly at the tall sleek woman standing behind the large wooden podium. Her body is long and slender, beautiful in the way that is unobtrusive. He wouldn’t have really noticed except her eyes are green. “Oh… table for ten. Timberlake.”

“Oh darling it’s probably under my name,” Amelia says, shrugging her fur stole into the waiting hands of the coat clerk.

Justin fights a swell of annoyance. He knows it’s not important whose name the reservation is under. He knows he’s just dreading three hours of asinine conversation and over priced food. But does she really always have to put things under her name? When they were first dating and most of his celebrity hadn’t worn off yet he used to enjoy listening to her give his name to the hostess at restaurants like Butter and Daniel or hell even his own restaurant, just the idea that he was taking her out. They never do that anymore.

“I do actually have a table for ten under Timberlake,” the hostess says, checking her book and then looking back up at them, eyes questioning.

“Oh,” Amelia says slightly surprised. “Well…Charlotte must have gotten it mixed up. Justin, give him your coat.”

Justin jumps slightly as he feels someone tap his shoulders and he shrugs out of his heavy coat, letting it fall into the waiting arms of the coat check clerk. He wonders what Charlotte is up to this evening.

“Your table actually isn’t ready quite yet,” the hostess says and Justin cringes, looking anxiously at Amelia who frowns.

“Our reservation is for eight o’clock is it not?” she asks and the hard edge in her voice causes the hostess to shrink back into herself, her green eyes going slightly wide.

“Well…yes but-”

“What’s the point of having a reservation if we can’t sit at our reserved time?” Amelia asks, her blue eyes calculating and cold and the hostess swallows hard.

“You can sit at the bar and I’ll come get you as soon as your table is ready,” she offers meekly and Justin feels a strange sense of protectiveness for her, her green eyes unsure and nervous.

“That’d be wonderful,” he cuts in, his large hand settling on Amelia’s lower back and her mouth snaps shut on her retort, glaring up at him.

“If we are still sitting at the bar when my friends get here…” Amelia hisses quietly to Justin as he nudges her towards the bar.

“…I’ll say it was my fault,” Justin responds automatically sliding onto a barstool and he can’t help but feel that things have worked out in his favor as the bartender steps over. “Jack and coke please.”

“How could it possibly be your fault?” Amelia huffs, sitting next to him and then glancing up at the bartender. “Do you have a French Pinot Noir?”

The bartender blinks. “Um I don’t know lemme check.”

“No!” Amelia says with an annoyed sigh as he begins to turn away. “If you don’t know then you don’t have it. Do you have Cristom at least?”

“I’m sorry ma’am we don’t,” the bartender says his voice pleasant but his eyes weary.

“Well then I’ll need to see the wine list,” Amelia says as if this is the most obvious thing in the world, crossing her long legs and smacking her handbag on the bar a little harder than is necessary.

The bartender nods at her, forcing a polite smile and his eyes flick to Justin apprehensively as if fearing for his safety. Justin just smiles blandly in return.

“This is utterly ridiculous,” Amelia scoffs and Justin hums, a noncommittal sound that he hopes passes as agreement. “You know if Charlotte had made the reservation in my name like I told her to this wouldn’t have happened.”

“See baby I knew you’d figure out a way to make it my fault.” Justin grins as the bartender sets his drink in front of him and Amelia glares at her fiancé as she snatches the wine list from the bartender’s hands.

“This is not funny,” Amelia snaps peevishly, flipping open the wine menu and perusing it heatedly. “I swear to god for every good thing Charlotte does she wrecks a dozen.”

Justin cringes. “This isn’t her fault.”

“Oh isn’t it? How hard is it to make a reservation, Justin? If it were one of the other girls I would understand. Sheer idiocy is a common occurrence with them but this is just carelessness on Charlotte’s part. I’ll have to talk with her on Monday.” Amelia heaves another sigh of annoyance as she reaches the end of the wine list. “Well this is simply unacceptable.”

“You tell em baby,” Justin says disinterestedly, slipping his cell phone out of his pocket as the bartender reluctantly returns.

As Amelia asks carefully calculated questions about the wine selection, Justin scrolls through the menus on his phone until he gets to his text screen, finding Charlotte in his contacts.

***

Charlotte pokes disinterestedly at the noodles boiling in the large pot on her stove and heaves a bored sigh, eyes turning to the television. Nothing much is on TV tonight, a few b-list movies and boring sitcoms but that’s how it usually is on a Friday night. Charlotte has a love/hate relationship with Fridays. On one hand she has two glorious days away from Amelia, no errands, no phone calls, no stress but that also means two whole days without seeing Justin.

She fingers her necklace, biting her lip as she tries to force down the well of excitement she feels just by thinking his name. This is all getting wildly out of hand. She knows herself, knows she always falls too hard too fast and if she had thought this situation would be different just because it wasn’t supposed to be happening she was dead wrong. She can feel it coming, feel it happening already, her heart shifting and changing, little pieces going missing here and there, only finding them again when she is with him. But she knew all along it would be this way, which is one of the main reasons she had tried to stop it.

Only he wouldn’t let her.

It would be so easy to blame him for this. In theory anyway. She can’t blame him for anything, not really, even if it is his fault. She makes excuses for him and explains away any of his faults. She’s been doing that ever since she met him. And in any case, she’s a big girl and she should be able to stand up for herself, to choose what is best for her, choose to call this thing off. But he’d asked her to stay. She’s compromising her own personal beliefs and morals, putting her heart on the line just because he asked her to. She feels slightly sick at her stomach when she thinks about it, so she takes a page from his book and tries not to.

But trying not to think about Justin is like trying not to breathe.

Just then her phone beeps shrilly, wiggling as it vibrates against the counter next to the empty noodle box and she snatches it, praying to god it isn’t Amelia. But her heart skips a beat when she sees Justin’s name on the front screen, biting her lip to control her grin as she flicks it open to read his message.

Ur forecast 4 Monday: bitchy w/ chance of hostility


She laughs despite the growing panic in her chest wondering what the hell she could have possibly done this time, hitting the respond button.

***

Justin flicks his phone shut just as the bartender is pouring deep red wine into Amelia’s glass looking very much like he wants a new job. Justin can’t really blame him.

“Thank you,” Justin says when Amelia doesn’t and she rolls her eyes, turning back towards the entrance seemingly waiting.

He watches with her, sipping his drink as dread curls in his stomach. What he would give to be anywhere else but here right now. It isn’t that he doesn’t like Amelia’s friends, he tells himself; they just have nothing in common. All of them grew up in New York high society, went to boarding schools and ivy league colleges. It was a different way of life, a life Justin didn’t really understand. He imagines that they thought the same about him. If they ever thought about anyone but themselves that is. Justin’s phone vibrates in his pocket and he slips it back out, checking his message discretely.

Was it the thing about the flowers? I knew she was gonna give me hell for that.


“Did I tell you about the disaster with the flowers?” Amelia asks, turning her head to him just slightly and Justin looks up at her quickly, finding her eyes still trained on the entrance.

“No, baby you didn’t what happened?” he asks, adding a slight lilt of interest to his voice as he hits “reply”

negative. reservations n my name. table not ready.

“…and then they ended up being on time,” Amelia finishes throwing a hand in the air as she takes a sip of her wine. “But that’s not the point, Charlotte should have known.”

Justin hums again, holding his phone against his thigh, waiting for Charlotte’s response as he takes a hearty swig of his drink. He knows the longer they wait the more and more hostile Amelia will get. He wonders if there’s anyone he can talk to and hurry this along. He looks towards the bartender who is on the opposite end of the bar, chancing glances down toward them every now and then. By the looks of it he’s doing everything he can to get them away from his bar. His phone vibrates against his leg.

Well that’s clearly YOUR fault now isn’t it?


Justin sniggers to himself.

“What are you laughing about?” Amelia asks, turning to him and he flicks his phone shut quickly, shaking his head.

“Oh just…Trace…you know,” he says holding up his phone and wiggling it.

“What’s he want?” Amelia asks, craning her neck just slightly, trying to see over the tall couple that just blocked her view of the lobby.

Justin clears his throat nervously, guilt gnawing at him. “Well-”

“There they are,” Amelia says, her teeth clenched and she’s off her barstool before he even has a chance to stutter an excuse.

He sighs, thinking someone up there must like him as he slides off his stool, following Amelia slowly. The guilt is still nagging him, prodding him for answers. Why had he lied? He’s texted Charlotte with warnings like that before. It had nothing to do with their new.... he balks at the definition, which only makes his anxiety worse. This isn’t him. He doesn’t lie for no reason, not even to the press and especially not to the woman he loves. He slides his hand across her lower back as he catches up with her stride, a silent apology she won’t understand.

“Bianca!”

Amelia’s face brightens into a look of fierce excitement and if Justin didn’t know her so well he would mistake it for elation. A small dark-haired woman steps forward and the entire room seems to turn, their eyes falling on the two women who embrace lightly, tittering in that way that girls do. Bianca is as dark as Amelia is fair, her hair a glossy black, skin golden brown with chocolate colored bedroom eyes that have the men in the room panting and the women green with jealously. Even in four inch spikes she’s a good three inches shorter than Amelia’s regal frame which only causes Amelia to stand straighter, and Bianca’s chin to tilt up almost as if in defiance, looking into Amelia’s lovely face.

“Amelia darling how are you?” she asks, holding Amelia at the elbows and Justin lets his head tilt to the side, regarding them curiously. He’ll never understand women.

“Oh you know,” she says, shaking her head so that her flaxen hair swishes around her cheekbones, “Crazy dealing with this wedding.” The soft tinkling of her laugh is harmonized by Bianca’s soft singing chortle.

“Ladies…”

Justin’s eyes are pulled from his fiancé and her friend to a short but devastatingly handsome man, his blond hair tousled in that perfectly coiffed way, his sea blue eyes crinkled at the corners, lips upturned in a devilish smirk. Justin stands a little straighter, smoothing his hand down the front of his jacket before Amelia loops her arm through his casually just as Bianca does the same to her date.

“Amelia, Justin, this is Sasha Abelev,” Bianca says with barely contained pride and Justin feels Amelia’s arm tighten slightly around his when Bianca says the man’s name. He wonders if it’s for the same reason that he’s trying to keep from laughing.

“Abelev?” Amelia questions with an eyebrow raised. Guess not, Justin thinks. “Your father’s not-”

“Viktor Abelev, yes,” he says, inclining his head just slightly, his smile nothing short of dazzling. “But I’m not in the Russian Oil business. Strictly real estate for me.” He laughs and the girls giggle slightly. Justin merely smiles, not quite getting the joke.

“Excuse me.”

Everyone’s eyes turn to find the hostess standing behind them and Justin can’t help but notice that everyone’s chin tips up just slightly. The girl’s cheeks pinken.

“Your table is ready if you’ll just follow me please.”

“Thank you,” Justin says as she passes him to lead them and he barely catches her smile.

“It was a disaster with the table,” he hears Amelia mutter and the sharp intake of breath that is Bianca’s responding gasp.

Justin thanks the hostess again after she’s shown them their table, trying to ignore Amelia’s loud complaint that it’s in the back corner of the restaurant and how is the rest of their party going to find them all the way back here. Justin merely grits his teeth and pulls out Amelia’s chair for her, sliding it under her, his palms resting on her shoulders for a moment before kissing her cheek and settling in his own chair. She really does look lovely tonight. Her hair has grown out just slightly and she did that thing with her make up he really likes. The candles on the table seems to make her skin shimmer and her eyes dance. Its moments like this he remembers how much he loves her.

“I’m sorry, my assistant put the table under Justin’s name,” she whispers and the spell is broken, causing him to grit his teeth at the quick surge of enmity he feels towards her.

“Oh it’s no problem Amelia,” Bianca says but there’s a smugness in her eyes that Justin doesn’t like. It’s going to be a very long night.

The rest of their party trickles in slowly; Arden whom Amelia has known since boarding school and her husband Patrick, owner of a small publishing house, regale them with tales of their most recent trip to Tahiti, a second honeymoon since they’d just gotten married there last year. Justin cringes slightly when they tell Amelia that a destination wedding is the only way to go. He doesn’t think he can take another major ceremony change. But to his relief they’re cut off by the arrival of Annelise, Amelia’s co-chair for “Go Run” their charity event for The White House Project and her fiancé Christian, whom Justin knows vaguely from his work as account manager at his parent label. Talk thankfully turns to their fall wedding held just down the street at Saint Patrick’s Cathedral and Justin only tunes out when he’s fairly sure Amelia is sticking to their current wedding plan.  

He fiddles with his phone in his pocket, slipping it out and checking to see if he has any messages even though he’s fairly sure he would have felt it vibrate. He chews the side of his bottom lip for a moment before chancing a glance at Amelia who is in deep conversation with Annelise over the possible cake flavorings for both of their weddings. He eyes his phone, tapping it against his leg as if debating. What is Charlotte up to tonight? In fact he wonders what she does on Friday nights period. He never really realized it until this moment but he doesn’t really know a lot about Charlotte. Sure he knows where she’s from and that she has two older brothers, he knows that her favorite song is “The End of the Innocence” by Don Henley and he knows that if she’s close he can nip at the skin just under her earlobe and send her right over the edge. But he doesn’t know what she does on Friday nights, or any night for that matter. He doesn’t know her favorite restaurant or her favorite color. He doesn’t know. He lets his lip slide free, flicking his phone open.

***

Charlotte chews slowly on her spaghetti, watching Rick Blaine ask Captain Renault why he’s clearing out his café. She’s seen this movie a hundred times, a thousand times maybe. It reminds her of her childhood, crawling down the hall when she was supposed to be in bed and listening to the voices of Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman as her parents watched in the living room. Of course she was too young to understand it then, to realize its themes of sacrifice and choosing between what is right and what you want. It was just words and light from the television screen, just something to listen to so she wouldn’t have to lay in her room alone in the dark.

She jumps when her phone beeps, her thoughts ripping from the past back to the present and she snatches the offending device, flipping it open without really checking it.

wut r u doin

She smiles despite herself and tries to think of a witty response.

tearin up the town. it is red carpet hour after all.

Her finger pauses over the send button staring at the words and they aren’t funny. Not when that’s exactly what he’s doing…out with his fiancé. She cringes backspacing quickly and letting her cheeks puff with air before letting it out slow and trying to think. Maybe honesty is the best way to go.

thinkin bout you.

She winces again backspacing quickly. No need to be that honest. She frowns at her phone, the blank space with her blinking cursor waiting patiently. She’s in uncharted territory. What is the protocol when one is texting the man she’s fucking when he’s out with his fiancé? She shakes her head sharply, the guilt stabbing her so hard it causes her shoulder to twitch. She can’t think that way; she won’t survive this if she does. So she makes yet another compromise. When he’s with her, when he talks to her one on one like this, he’s just Justin. He’s no one’s fiancé, no one holds his heart, and he’s no one’s to keep. She fights the tinge of sadness at the realization that by this definition, “no one” includes her. She shakes her head hard, fingers working quickly over the keys and snapping the phone shut before she can think about it anymore.

***

“Oh that sounds absolutely divine!”

Justin’s attention is pulled to Annelise as she gasps dramatically at whatever Amelia had just said. Amelia smiles, seemingly pleased with Annelise’s reaction as she reaches over and pats Justin’s knee.

“We’re very happy with it, aren’t we darling?” Amelia says, her blue eyes glittering in the candlelight and Justin is momentarily dazed.

He shakes his head slow. “I’m sorry baby I missed it,” he chuckles, bringing a hand up to touch her shoulder and she blinks at him, her smile hardening only slightly.

“The china pattern we picked out,” she supplies and Justin’s eyebrows raise, situating his face into understanding.

“Oh yeah, we were tearin’ our hair out over that one,” Justin says, and he reaches up to tug softly on a strand of Amelia’s hair near her ear and she gasps, reaching up to flick his hand away, smoothing her hair down.

“Oh stop you,” she says, narrowing her eyes at him and he’s not sure if its playful or warning but he smiles back anyway. He remembers a time when such an action would have her nudging his chest with her hand, or leaning back into him. He misses those times.

“It’s going to be so beautiful,” Annelise says with a sigh and a longing look comes into her eyes. “I so wanted a summer wedding but…” she trails looking down at the ring on her hand. “We didn’t wanna wait that long.” She reaches for Christian’s hand, stuttering the conversation he is having with Sasha about penthouses on Fifth Avenue but both start back up again, their hands still entwined on the table.

“We’re having trouble choosing our bath towel set,” Annelise continues and Justin’s not listening to her words so much as watching Christian’s thumb smoothing slowly back and forth over the back of her hand.

He and Amelia used to do that, hold hands with each other even when they were having completely different conversations. He remembers days when they couldn’t keep their hands off each other, her hand resting on his thigh in the car, his fingers walking up her spine while standing in art galleries. Back when they had fire and passion. Her hand rests casually on the table next to her silverware, talking interestedly to Annelise about monograms and hand embroidery versus machine rendered embroidery and he longs to reach for it. If only rekindling what they had was as easy as reaching for her. Maybe it is that easy. The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, after all. But just as he’s about to reach for her his phone vibrates in his hand and he stiffens, his fingers curling tightly around it, pressing it against the side of his leg in an attempt to muffle the sound. Amelia barely glances his way, and no one else’s conversation even breaks. He lets out a slow sigh as he ducks his chin to check the message under the table

watching casablanca. hows dinner?
 
A small smile tugs at his lips. So she likes old movies? He can just see her curled up on the couch in some apartment in the Bronx, the television casting flickering light across her face. He wonders what her place looks like, what kind of living room set she has, what color her sheets are. He shakes his head slightly, knowing that’s something he’ll never find out if he knows what’s good for him. He and Charlotte have an understanding, unspoken but explicitly clear to both of them.

listening 2 silly girls talk about monogrammed bath towels. kill me plz.

He flicks his phone shut, blinking around at the people surrounding them and finding that he’s the only person not involved in some kind of animated conversation. Arden listens eagerly as Amelia and Bianca offer advice on Annelise’s flower choice, waiting for a chance to jump in. Sasha and Patrick are now discussing the housing market, Christian trying to keep up with them as Annelise asks for his opinion over and over again. No one seems to notice that he’s not involved in any of it however and he doesn’t know whether he should be offended by this or relieved. He doesn’t have time to think about it as his phone vibrates against his thigh.

LOL! Sounds lovely. Your towels will be beautiful. Did you know when Roxie takes your last name her initials will be R.A.T.?

“HA!” Justin exclaims and the conversations around him stutter to a halt eyes turning to him and Amelia’s brow furrows at him. His ears turn red. “Sorry,” he says holding up his phone and wiggling it. Everyone else nods and goes back to what they’re doing.

“Honestly, Justin tell Trace you’re at dinner,” Amelia replies testily and turning back to Annelise.

“Yes dear,” Justin replies as he types back his reply.

she’d kill u if she nu u were callin her roxie.


He snaps his phone closed again, smiling despite his best efforts not to, listening to the chatter around him without really hearing the words, just waiting for his phone to vibrate. It does quickly and his smile widens, his fingers struggling to flip the phone back open and see what she says in return.

RAD to RAT in one marriage. Man I’d consider callin that one off.


***

Charlotte bites her lip, closing her phone gingerly and setting it back on the arm of the couch, watching it with apprehension. Maybe that was pushing it too far. She’d only been kidding. She doesn’t really expect him to call off his entire wedding after one half joking text.

But the anticipation of his answer still causes her heart to rattle around anxiously in her chest. She can’t deny that she’d been leaning a little heavily on the power of suggestion when she’d sent that text. It reminded her of her grandmother always telling the parable of the mustard seed when she was younger. Even the smallest of things can grow into something larger and more grand. Or in this case take down an entire relationship.

She feels guilty then, her fingers running over the bumps and grooves of her necklace. She doesn’t want to be this person that coaxes a man out of his relationship. She wants to insist that it’s different with Justin, that she wouldn’t be doing this if Amelia showed him at least half a shred of decency but her conscious screams back that it’s always different when one is actually involved in the situation. Morals are easy to keep when they’re hypothetical. Despite all this she still hopes. She hopes because as much as she wants to play like she’s perilous to stop this, like she’s doing this simply because he asked her to, she can’t. There’s something about him that draws her in and fills her up. When she’s with him she feels giddy and full to the bursting point, like she could want nothing more in that moment than to have him near her. As much as she would like to pretend that it is only him calling to her, she knows that her heart seeks him as well.

Her phone beeps, nearly shaking itself off the arm of the couch and butterflies tickle her stomach as she grabs it, clasping it in her hand and swallowing hard. She doesn’t know what she’s expecting him to say. Part of her, the ridiculous unrealistic part, wants him to finally realize. Wild scenarios of him standing dramatically from a dinner table and running from the restaurant enter her mind and she tries to force them down as she flicks open her phone to read his response.

haha

She frowns, staring at the four letters blinkingly, watching them blur over slightly and she grits her teeth against it. She snaps her phone shut hard, anger and hurt welling inside her as she tries to crush the plastic in her palm, hurtling it back handed against the other end of the couch where it hits the arm and slithers down between the cushions.  

***

“Danielle!”

Amelia’s voice causes Justin to jump slightly, shoving his phone in his pocket quickly as the last of their party arrives. By the look of the woman that is weaving quickly through the tables, her oversized Prada bag knocking into people’s chairs, one wouldn’t guess that a French duchess had just entered the room. Bone thin and deeply tan she doesn’t have the grace that Amelia and her other friends possess. There’s a little too much strut in her walk, her chin held just a little too high, and she smiles just a little too hard. Her dress is too short and her hair too blond and she wants so desperately to be accepted that it’s off-putting. Justin has a feeling her position in the bridal party has little to do with all the summers she and Amelia spent together in southern France and more to do with her title. The man that follows behind her is short but stocky, plain faced and smug in an Italian suit that clearly hasn’t been tailored and to call his tie ugly would be a compliment. Justin watches Amelia’s nose wrinkle at what he perceives to be the stench of new money.

“So sorry I’m late,” Danielle says, her voice holding only the slightest hint of a French cadence, as she leans in to kiss both Amelia’s cheeks. “Paparazzi wouldn’t quit.”

“They love to take Dani’s picture,” the man responds smugly, his hand resting on her back and Justin bristles slightly, uncomfortable with the air of superiority that is suddenly stifling.

“Don’t worry we’re still waiting on Lydia and Demetri,” Arden says primly, her eyes flicking to the entryway.

“No we’re not,” Bianca says frowning and then turning to Amelia. “I thought they were still in Europe.”

“They are,” Amelia confirms with a nod and Arden frowns looking confused at being out of the loop.

“This is Euan,” Danielle says, placing a hand on his chest and smiling brightly. “He works on Wall Street,” she adds proudly as he pulls his chair out for her. The table titters interestedly as is expected of them.

“Now, now darling no need to brag,” Euan says with fake modesty and the rest of the table chuckles. Justin doesn’t miss the look shared by the other occupants of the table.

“How’s the market doing with that Coalis mess?” Patrick asks, leaning his elbow casually on the back of his chair as he motions for the waiter to get him another drink. “Should I dump my portfolio now or wait til morning?”

The table all chuckles and Justin feels the air change. He thinks he remembers Amelia going on about Coalis at breakfast this morning, mumbling about how their CEO really botched something or other but they would bounce back. When he catches the look Bianca shares with his fiancé he knows exactly what game they’re playing and “Is He Worthy” isn’t something Justin enjoys witnessing.

“Oh they’ll do fine,” Euan says, waving a hand as he settles into his seat. “You’re gonna lose a little but it’ll bounce right back. Coalis is practically made of rubber.” He laughs and so does the rest of the table, the air loosening just slightly but Justin knows the vetting process isn’t over quite yet.

“What company do you work for Euan?” Arden asks from over the rim of her wine glass, her gray eyes flickering , “My brother works at Goldman Sachs.”

“Guage-Whitney,” he responds and Amelia sits up a little straighter, a saccharine smile pulling at her lips.

“Guage-Whitney?” she questions, bringing her wine glass to her lips. “My assistant used to work there.”

“Yes I heard you got Charlotte Jenson,” Euan responds, a sly smile spreading across his face that makes Justin’s teeth clench, his heartbeat picking up. “She’s a tart.”

Amelia coughs out a laugh. “Charlotte? Hardly,” she sips her wine and Justin does his very best to sit still, resting his wrists against the edge of the table.

“Which one is Charlotte?” Bianca asks touching Amelia’s arm lightly. “The tall pretty one?”

“No, the brunette,” Amelia responds and Bianca’s face screws up in thought before she laughs.

“I didn’t even know you had a dark haired assistant,” she replies shaking her head and Amelia smiles viciously.

“Exactly.”

“Come on, now,” Justin says before he can stop himself and all eyes fall on him, causing him to swallow hard.

Amelia chortles softly, shaking her head as she reaches a hand out to pat his knee. “You’ll have to excuse my fiancé.” She turns her head to him, her eyes dancing with amusement. “He’s got a little pet project in dear Charlotte.”

Oh I’ve got something in Charlotte, his mind taunts and he coughs, his own lewdness causing him to blush which Amelia laughs at openly.

“No need to blush, darling,” she says, giving his knee a squeeze and turning back to the table. “It’s very sweet of you. She doesn’t have any real friends.”

“No, she wouldn’t,” Euan says with a dark chuckle and Justin can practically taste Amelia’s excitement even though she has simply let her head fall to the side, regarding Euan with light curiosity.

“Oh?” she asks with veiled interest and Justin would be annoyed if he wasn’t so interested himself.

“Well she was quite popular among the interns when she first started working there,” Euan says, looking absolutely delighted to have the attention of the rest of the table. “Usually when we do a mass hire like that everyone is scrambling and squabbling with old classmates trying to get ahead but that year they seemed to all be best friends.” Euan laughs as if this is utterly absurd and the others frown in confusion as if this concept is hard for them to understand as well. Justin merely licks his lips nervously.

“Sounds like she had friends then,” Justin says, trying to keep his voice neutral but Amelia’s head tilts towards him just slightly, catching the slight hint of defensiveness in his tone.

“For awhile, yeah they all went to lunch together, stayed late together. Interns,” he says with a sigh. “Always together.” He rolls his eyes and then continues. “That is until Charlotte got promoted, several rungs in fact. The others pretended to be happy for her but the animosity was there. She was very good for someone just out of school. Had good instincts.” Euan nods and then his brow furrows. “No idea why she quit.” He shrugs.

“Yes, neither do I,” Amelia says, her tone thoughtful but Justin can hear the frustration in an undertone. He smirks, taking a sip of his drink.

“Rumor was she slept with her boss,” Euan says with a shrug and Justin chokes, getting his hand over his mouth just in time so as not to spray the entire table.

“Justin!” Amelia exclaims looking appalled as he grabs his napkin and wipes his mouth and hands. She rips her own napkin from her lap and dabs at his shirt.

“Sorry,” he coughs, clearing his throat while doing his best to clear his head. “Wrong pipe.”

“Do you think it’s true?” Amelia asks, offhandedly while dabbing at Justin’s tie and he can see the eagerness in her eyes.

“You never can tell,” Euan says with a sigh. “Sometimes they quit because it went sour, sometimes they quit because it’s still fresh.”

“And she quit for no reason,” Arden pipes in, her eyes falling on Amelia, gauging her reaction.

“Do you think she’s still seeing him?” Annelise asks, with mounting interest and Justin feels his chest tighten.

He doesn’t know what Charlotte does when she’s not in the office. He doesn’t know her favorite color, or her favorite restaurant. He doesn’t know if she’s seeing anyone else. The thought had never crossed his mind before but now that it has his stomach turns over itself sickeningly. Charlotte is a pretty girl, smart and funny. Why wouldn’t she be seeing anyone?

“I didn’t think she was seeing anyone,” Amelia says, her tone thoughtful and Justin cringes.

“Who was her boss?” Danielle asks, her interest piqued now as well and Justin slips his hand in his pocket, fingering his phone.

“Anderson Cripps,” Amelia supplies and there’s a distinctive hum from the rest of the table, sly smiles pulling at everyone’s lips.

“Well that settles that,” Danielle giggles and the rest of the table laughs loudly, all except Justin who’s frowning.

“Who’s Anderson Cripps?” he asks and the laughter dies down slightly, everyone blinking slowly at him as if trying to decide if he’s making some kind of joke.

“He’s lead financial analyst at Gauge-Whitney,” Christian supplies for him and Justin nods.

“He’s got quite the reputation,” Sasha adds and Bianca giggles.

“Understatement of the century,” Arden adds under her breath but so that everyone can hear before taking a sip of her wine.

“I feel sorry for his wife,” Patrick says pointedly and everyone hums in pity and Justin feels his palms begin to sweat.

“Charlotte wouldn’t do something like that,” he says, shaking his head but his conscious taunts him, images of her body twisted around his flashing through his mind. Amelia’s ring glitters in the candlelight as she brings her wine glass to her lips.

“What my fiancé doesn’t seem to understand is that some girls only want a man for what he can do for her,” Amelia says, giving him a playful smile. “Lucky for you that’s not something you need to worry about.” She leans over, pecking his lips softly and he smiles despite himself.

“Lucky me,” he concedes and Amelia beams at him, reaching to pat his knee again before turning around in her seat

“Where is that waiter?” she asks and Bianca sighs.

“I’d heard the service here wasn’t that great,” Bianca says sniffing slightly, running her finger around the mouth of her wine glass and Amelia’s eyes tighten just slightly as the other girls’ heads bob in agreement.

“What made you choose Remi anyway?” Annelise questions interestedly. “Christian and I were thinking Butter but-”

“Oh Justin likes Italian,” Amelia says with a shrug and Justin smiles nodding obediently. He doesn’t really mind taking the blame. It’s not like he cares what these people think of him anyway. “Although we’re probably going to reconsider after tonight,” Amelia says, craning her neck again and frowning. “Justin we’re gonna have to go back to the list I think.”

“Yes, dear,” Justin says, trying to remember if he’d ever even seen a list of rehearsal dinner spaces.

“Get used to saying that,” Patrick teases lightly and Justin chuckles a little to himself.

“Oh I’m pretty used to it,” he quips, reaching to run the backs of his fingers down Amelia’s arm and she narrows her eyes at him before smiling and rolling her eyes.

“Acts like I don’t let him choose anything,” Amelia scoffs playfully and it takes all of Justin’s willpower not to let his eyes bug out of his head.

“What have you let me choose?” he asks but the laughter in his voice is harder than he’d intended and Amelia’s eyes ignite though her face stays perfectly calm.

“You didn’t like the menu for the reception so I changed that remember?” she asks, her voice slightly defensive and turning back to the table she adds. “Swordfish and Filet Mignon instead of duck and lamb.” She turns back to him. “And I always send stuff over to your office. The invitations, the flowers, the dinnerware which you broke I might add-”

“Okay okay,” Justin concedes, holding his hands up in defeat as a cool trickle of nervousness travels down his spine. “You win. I am wrong. You are right.”

“Get used to saying that too,” Patrick jokes and everyone laughs.

“Oh I think we’re all used to saying that by now,” Christian adds, wrapping an arm around Annelise’s shoulders and she beams at him, pecking a soft kiss on his lips. Justin smiles softly, his eyes falling on Amelia who is shaking her head, still miffed.

“Finally,” Bianca mutters and Justin sees the waiter making his way towards them, a look of slight apprehension on his face which he replaces with a tense smile as he comes to stand just behind Bianca and Amelia.

“Are we ready to order?” he asks, his pen poised over his pad and Amelia nods, opening her menu.

“I’ll have the Cernia Arrosto,” Amelia says with a sigh, “except I’d like a salad instead of the oven dried tomatoes. The house salad with raspberry vinaigrette. I want absolutely no bacon and very little pine nuts with that. And I’ll take another glass of wine.”

She snaps her menu shut, holding it over her shoulder for him to take, never mind that he’s still scribbling frantically. He barely gets her menu in his hand before Bianca starts.

“I’d like the Branzino Del Mediterraneo,” she says eyeing the menu critically. “Please make sure the leeks aren’t boiled too long, I absolutely hate when they’re just falling apart. Instead of steamed potatoes I would like steamed asparagus and I don’t want any pesto on anything.”

She shoves her menu into the waiter’s hands before turning interestedly to Amelia as Sasha begins to order. “Darling have you had a chance to contact Thom yet? He’s just dying to work with you.”

“Oh,” Amelia says slowly, her finger circling the rim of her wine glass. “I actually decided to go with Naomi Leff.”

Bianca blinks slowly, caught off guard and Justin only listens because Sasha’s incessant questions about the origins of the restaurants pasta are getting on his nerves. He reaches into his pocket for his phone, flicking it open and staring at the inner screen. No new messages. He’s just about to ask Charlotte what part she’s at in the movie when Annelise speaks.

“Is she doing your great room, Amelia?” she asks with piqued interest but then the waiter asks for her order and she sneers at the interruption. “Is there anything organic on your menu?”

“Oh, she’s the best in the business,” Arden pipes in as Annelise and Christian debate over sharing a dish. Looks like Justin’s not the only one on a wedding diet. “Very exclusive. She designed Polo’s flagship store,” Arden nods authoritatively as the waiter moves to Euan.

“I’d like the veal, well done. No garlic in the mashed potatoes…actually I want those steamed not mashed…”

“She’s also been dead for ten years,” Bianca replies and Justin doesn’t miss the testiness in her voice under the humor. Arden gives her a sideways glare.

“Her firm is still very good,” Amelia says, a hint of defensiveness in her voice.

“What about the great room?” Justin asks suspiciously and Amelia barely glances at him.

“We’re redoing it,” she says, reaching to take another sip of her wine and frowns finding it empty. “Does this waiter even want a tip?” she mutters just loud enough for everyone to hear and Justin cringes, glancing at the young man who’s now taking Danielle’s order.

“…I would like a salad. No tomatoes, no cheese, no croutons, especially no croutons, no onions and no cucumbers. Oh and no dressing….”

“That’s news to me,” Justin says slowly, his chest tightening and Amelia’s chin juts out before turning to him slowly and she smiles sweetly which wouldn’t have grated on his nerves quite so much if Patrick wasn’t going on and on about the mushrooms on his Vegetali Misti alla Griglia.

“…I just want them slightly browned, in oil not butter….”

“Darling you always get so annoyed when I decorate,” she says and Justin frowns, trying to concentrate as Arden begins to order, her voice loud and snotty right in his ear.

“…the last time I was here you over cooked my sea bass. I don’t like my fish charbroiled…”

“Yeah but you could have told-”

Amelia turns back to Bianca. “The first time I did the penthouse he yelled at me to stop bothering him with samples. ‘if you show me one more pattern I’m going to scream.’” Her eyes turn to his, dancing amusedly but there’s warning behind it. Don’t you dare embarrass me in front of these people. “That’s what you said to me.”

“Yeah but-”

“Justin he’s waiting to take your order,” Amelia says with a sigh and Justin glances to his right, seeing the waiter standing there, his face worn and weary.

“I’ll have a steak,” he says with a wave of his hand, not even caring anymore. “Babe we didn’t discuss this-”

The waiter clears his throat. “How would you like that-”

“Just cook it,” Justin snaps, handing over his menu and Amelia looks horrified.

“Justin!” she exclaims as the waiter walks away. “Honestly I know he’s utterly incompetent but there’s no need to be rude.”

Justin’s mouth falls open as he watches her turn back to Bianca and he sits blinking at the back of her head as she talks animatedly about ideas she has for wall colors and area rugs. He doesn’t really hear the words, his mind blank and flailing and that hurt lodges itself in his chest. Its something he’s grown accustomed to over the past several months since his birthday. It’s the feeling he gets when he knows Amelia is completely disregarding him, his wishes, his feelings and every other part of him. He glances around feeling slightly embarrassed at being chastised in such a way, wondering if it was blatantly obvious to everyone how little Amelia thought of him. But then he realizes that no one at the table is paying him any mind at all. And that’s when it dawns on him. This is the rest of his life. Right here, right now at this table watching all these people whom he despises. Amelia’s ring glints in the candlelight and suddenly he feels as if he’s suffocating. He snaps his mouth shut and it stays that way for the rest of the meal.
 
***

“That was humiliating,” Amelia exclaims once they’re safely inside the heated back seat of their town car.

Justin can’t help but agree, though he’s pretty sure they don’t share the same reasons. He loosens his tie at the throat and glares out the window as they pull away from the curb.

“We have to pick a different place for the rehearsal dinner,” Amelia says shaking her head and Justin doesn’t even hum a response, knowing what he has to say will only start a fight. “I mean the service was horrible. That waiter is lucky they include a tip for parties over eight because he would not have gotten one…”

Justin still doesn’t respond, his jaw tight and he just wishes she’d stop talking. Through the rest of dinner all he had wanted was for everyone to stop talking. He didn’t want to hear about the housing market or what some company grossed last quarter, or Amelia’s grand plans for their new décor, especially not that. He’d sat and ate his food, his steak a little over done for his liking but its not like he tasted it anyway, his mind too full, his heart to heavy.

This was going to be the rest of his life. Dinners like the one they’d just had, art show openings, wine tastings. The same people, the same conversations. Over and over for the rest of his life. He feels smothered and caged and it’s making him anxious, his skin crawling and he reaches forward to flick off the vent that’s blowing hot air in his face.

“What’s wrong with you?” Amelia asks finally, her voice annoyed as if she doesn’t want to deal with such things right now.

“Nothin’” he mutters, his eyes watching the pavement outside his window, doing his best to control his anger. A fight isn’t going to help anything.

“Obviously it’s something,” Amelia says exasperated. “You were silent all through dinner, when you weren’t texting under the table. You know how I hate that.”

“Yeah I do,” Justin mutters, unable to stop the words and he hears her sharp inhalation of shock and when she doesn’t say anything else he slips his phone out of his pocket, checking his messages, frowning when he finds none.

“So are you trying to punish me for something?” Amelia asks, her voice hard but there’s a wounded edge to it that even in his angered state tugs at his heart. She pauses for a moment. “The great room.” She concludes finally and Justin rolls his eyes, shoving his phone back in his pocket. “Come out and say it Justin,” she spats and he knows she’s setting him up. She’s so much better at emotional torture than he is. And a fight won’t help.

But maybe a fight is exactly what he wants.

“I just think it’s a really shitty idea to do this right before the wedding.”

She gasps at the venom in his voice and he relishes in the sound.

“Bianca, just redid her entire penthouse,” she says, her tone civil and he’s a little shocked by it. For once she’s trying to reason with him. “My bridal shower is next week. The room is unpresentable. And don’t curse.”

Justin snorts. “Amelia, the furniture in that room alone cost about seventy-five grand. I can pretty much guarantee you that it is not unpresentable.”

He can practically hear her teeth grind. He’s trying her patience and he can’t help the trill of exhilaration that runs down his spine.
    
“It’s dated,” she says, her voice even but he can tell she’s on the edge.

And tonight all he wants to do is push her over it. “Of course it’s dated!” Justin scoffs, his face screwing up in annoyance. “It’s done in French Baroque! That peaked at about 1650 if I’m not mistaken.”

When she doesn’t respond he chances a glance over at her and finds that her cheeks are flushed, her jaw clenched and her entire body is rigid next to him. He has the sickest urge to smile.

“I’ve already ordered the drapes,” she responds, her voice deathly quiet and its Justin’s turn to grind his teeth. She always fucking wins. But he’s not done. Not tonight. If he’s going to kamikaze his next few weeks he wants it done thoroughly. He wants to really deserve it.

“How are we gonna pay for this anyway?” he asks and the edge in his voice runs off at the end when he realizes this is a valid concern, remembering those two columns of numbers and how dangerously close they were to each other in denomination. Amelia scoffs a genuine laugh of disbelief that brings him back and the anger blazes. “Our wedding is already gonna be about 1.2 million, Amelia. There’s only so much coming in-”

“My parents agreed to help,” Amelia replies, her chin tipping up defiantly as she turns her face to the window and Justin growls, banging his open palm against the side of the door, feeling her jump next to him.

“Goddammit Amelia!” he grits out, bringing his hand up to pinch the bridge of his nose and he tries to breathe deeply. “How many times do we have to go through this? I don’t want to take money from your parents-”

“Then I guess it’s a good thing it’s me that’s doing it then isn’t it?” she replies, the venom in her voice stinging him and he’s losing steam, anger giving way to defeat.

“So I don’t get a say at all?” he asks, turning in his seat to face her. “That’s what you’re telling me?”

Amelia bristles, refusing to look at him, her eyes staring straight ahead. “What do you care what the living room looks like anyway?”

Justin sighs, suddenly exhausted and he lets his eyes close, his head falling back. “I don’t. I don’t give a fuck.”

He hears her gasp. “Don’t-”

“Run us into the fucking ground. I don’t care,” he goes on, cutting her off and he feels the anger radiating off of her.

“What are you talking about?” she demands, her really voice raising for the first time and he winces. “Since when are you so concerned about our finances? Last I checked you were still running the town car out to Bethpage on a whim-”

“If by ‘on a whim,’ you mean whenever you fucking let me,” he spats and a thrill of adrenaline zips through him at her cry of indignation.

“What about your little shopping spree in Los Angeles,” she spits and he winces. “Yeah I saw the credit card bill, Justin. And the dinners with all your old friends. Who’s money was that, Justin? It certainly wasn’t yours. Not with the way your label has been underperforming.”

He grits his teeth, fists balling on his knees, shaking with the effort to stay calm. They are so good at hurting each other now. When had that happened? It is so easy to get right to the heart of things and he remembers why he doesn’t like to pick fights with her. She plays so much dirtier than he does. She’s vindictive, and spiteful and sometimes he really, really hates her.

“Seriously,” Amelia says, her voice harsh but there’s a hesitance to it. “What’s wrong with you?”

Her voice is curious, almost soft and he can feel her eyes on his face, searching for the source of his anger. She knows him well enough to know that he doesn’t like to pick fights, avoids them with every fiber of his being. She can sense that something is not right.

“Nothing,” he sighs releasing his neck and letting his eyes close. “Not a goddamn thing. Lets just…not fight okay?”

He sighs and she crosses her arms over her chest, seething at his brush off and he looks forlornly out at the city street, watching the cars and streetlights slide by. This is his life, better or worse, richer or poorer, this is what he has and what he’s got to live with. When they get home Amelia doesn’t even have to tell him to go to the guest room, him just grabbing his pillow and dragging himself there forlornly, happy that the day is over but knowing that tomorrow its just going to start all over again.
Chapter 26 by SomethingBlue42
Author's Notes:
Okay guys here ya go. Thank you all for being patient with me and for your kind words and kicks in the ass; both were needed and appreciated. 

Justin can’t believe this is happening to him right now. Never in his wildest dreams would he have imagined. Well…not lately anyway. When he woke up this morning, his back killing him from his fourth night in a row in that death trap of a guest bed the pounding of hammers striking in beat with the pounding in his head he thought surely his day was doomed from the start.

 

Operation Redecorate is in full swing, six or so construction workers starting at six a.m. for the past two days and this morning was no different, waking up to three decorators standing outside his door talking about sand-colored paint as opposed to taupe. He had just ignored them on his route to his and Amelia’s room, more so Amelia’s than his these days, but all his clothes were still in the closet. Ignoring everything was the only thing really left in his power to do. He’d showered and dressed, looked at himself in the mirror and realized for the third day in a row he’d neglected to shave but couldn’t be compelled to care. He and Amelia had their first fight of the day over breakfast, which was quickly becoming part of their new morning routine, and he’d trudged off to work, where messages and meetings and boredom awaited him. And on top of all that he hadn’t seen or spoken to Charlotte all week. He was beginning to wonder what he could have possibly done this time.

 

So imagine his utter and complete surprise at this spectacular turn of events.

 

“What…what are you doing?” he questions even though he doesn’t really care all that much as Charlotte’s hands finish undoing his belt and she flicks open the button of his trousers, easing the zipper down slowly.

 

“What does it look like I’m doing?” she asks innocently as her hand reaches inside to grip him through his boxers, fingernails tickling him slightly as she begins to guide him through the slit.

 

If he would have known that admitting total and utter defeat would have Charlotte on her knees behind his desk he would have went on a whiney bitch lament a long time ago. One minute he’s sitting there, saying how his life is just totally fucked and there’s no possible way it can get any better and the next…

 

“You’re really gonna-”

 

He can’t even finish his sentence watching in utter disbelief as her lips close around the head of his cock and he thinks no more. Its short, almost embarrassingly so and he feels bad that he doesn’t warn her, hearing the slight gurgle in her throat when he comes but she doesn’t pull back, doing her best to swallow and he thanks God for her in that moment. When she finally does pull back she looks up at him slightly out of breath with a sort of amused smile, wiping her mouth as casually as possible with the back of her hand.

 

“I thought you guys usually made us work a little harder,” she teases lightly even though she feels just as embarrassed as he looks, his ears turning red as he reaches to situate himself back in his pants.

 

“Yeah well…” he mumbles, buttoning and zipping his pants. “It’s been awhile.”

 

She makes a soft sound of pity in the back of her throat before patting his knee and standing, smoothing the wrinkles from her dress and she looks good. Ridiculously so and he’s not sure if it’s the post-orgasmic high or what but the mere sight of her makes him giddy.

 

“Do you have any water?” she asks shifting slightly, her tongue sliding out to lick her lips and he’s mesmerized for a moment before clearing his throat and sitting up in his chair.

 

“Yeah in the fridge over there,” he gestures towards the bookcase and she nods tucking her hair behind her ear awkwardly, slipping from between him and the desk.

 

It’s a short distance but long enough for him to catch the slight rhythm of her hips, the sway of her dress hypnotic and he’s never quite realized how slender her ankles are, the curve of her calves smooth as they reach the back of her knees, the thickness of her thighs concealed under the swaying hem of her dress. She’s got on some killer heels today. Since when did Charlotte buy designer?

 

“You look good,” he says before his mouth goes dry when she bends over to pluck a water bottle from the fridge.

 

She straightens, glancing at him over her shoulder in what she tries to pull off as a casual way and he can’t help but find himself turned on by it. It’s innocent, almost coy and the way she’s trying to make the fact that she just sucked his dick in the middle of his office while his secretary was at lunch less awkward makes him want her all over again.

 

“Thanks my feet are killing me,” she offers somewhat feebly, her head ducking like it always does when he compliments her.

 

Justin laughs then, watching her small hand close over the lid, struggling to open it. He’s just about to offer his assistance when she gets it loose, the clicking of the cap detaching from the plastic ring sounding over the soft drone of his radio. She takes a sip, swishing the water around in her mouth a little before swallowing and he doesn’t envy girls but he’s so grateful for this one. He knows he doesn’t deserve her, that she deserves more than this, more than something quick and dirty on her lunch hour but he’s just selfish enough not to want to let her go. The thought of her with someone else is enough to make his skin crawl, his palms to break out in a sweat. He can’t have her but he sure as hell doesn’t want anyone else to have her either.

 

And just like that the nagging insecurity is back, the one that has been pestering him since Saturday at dinner. It’s plagued him at night when he’s tried to sleep, prodded at him when his mind wandered at meetings and gnawed at him with every unreturned text over the past several days. What was she doing when she wasn’t bending over backwards for Amelia or just bending over for him? Did she go out and meet secret friends, maybe hook up with an old colleague for drinks or was she on her knees behind a desk in a financial building across town?

 

“Hey,” Justin says and Charlotte turns to look at him, her cheeks full of water before swallowing and he waits a beat, debating whether or not to ask.

 

“Yes?” she questions, screwing the cap back on the bottle and setting it on top of the fridge, placing one hand on her hip and he bites his lip, watching his hand smooth across the calendar on his desk.

 

“Did you…I mean…what you said about your old job…before,” he says slowly, chancing a glance up at her and her brows are drawn in confusion. “You know, about why you quit…that was the truth right?”

 

Charlotte blinks a few times before answering. “Yes.” He looks up at her, peering at her through slightly narrowed eyes. “Why?” she asks suspiciously and his eyebrows raise, a ghost of something passing his face before its perfectly smooth and blank, a mask.

 

“No…no reason,” he says and she frowns.

 

“Why would I lie to you about that?” she asks, leaning against the fridge and regarding him curiously. He fidgets slightly in his chair but his expression is nonchalant.

 

“I dunno,” he says with an unaffected shrug but he won’t look at her. “Maybe you were embarrassed?”

 

Charlotte lets out a small laugh. “Yes because admitting that I went to school for four years for something I ended up hating isn’t embarrassing at all.”

 

“Yeah but there are more embarrassing things,” Justin says casually and he still won’t look at her, his finger drawing lazy patterns across the desktop.

 

“Like what?” Charlotte asks, her eyes narrowing and she sees his shoulders tense even though his face remains calm.

 

“Like…” he pauses and lets his head fall to the side as if thinking offhandedly but his eyes are focused, “an affair…” he throws the word out casually, as if it were just mere happenstance that it was the first thing that came to his mind but his eyes are searching as they meet hers, “…with your boss maybe?”

 

There is a moment’s pause before Charlotte bursts out laughing. “God how long have you been waiting to ask me that?” she questions, giggling slightly and he frowns.

 

“That’s not an answer.”

 

Her laughter stops abruptly. “Oh…well in that case,” she says, her voice calm and her eyes are serious but it breaks into curiosity. “Seriously have you been worried about that for awhile?”

 

Justin sighs. “I’m not worried,” he insists bristling and scowling down at his desktop. Charlotte smiles softly, pushing off the fridge and taking slow steps towards him. “I just figured…” his voice trails as he sees her coming closer, chin tilting up so he can keep his eyes on her face as she moves to stand beside him. “…you know maybe you didn’t wanna tell me…” he trails again as she nudges his chair back farther from his desk so she can step around his legs. “…because we didn’t know each other then.”

 

He inhales sharply as she lowers herself into his lap, one arm wrapping around his neck as the other reaches to fiddle with his tie. His arm goes instinctively around her ribs, supporting her back as his other hand moves to hold her thigh, keeping her firmly on his legs. Her nose nuzzles at his and he stiffens, suddenly finding it hard to breathe from the sheer intimacy of the simple gesture, his heart fluttering nervously in his chest. He doesn’t know how he feels about that. What he and Charlotte have going on between them is strictly…what? He’s said it himself that she means more to him than something quick and dirty, that he doesn’t want what they have to be sordid or raunchy. But that doesn’t necessarily mean that he wants it to be some emotion-filled thing either.

 

“I didn’t sleep with my boss,” she says, her fingers unwinding from his tie and when her eyes meet his it steals his breath. “I’ve never lied to you, Justin.”

 

He swallows hard, palms beginning to sweat. He purses his lips, giving her a tense nod and she nods back solemnly. They stare at each other for a few short seconds, Justin’s heart thudding slightly off rhythm. She’s so close to him, all over him, body and soul and he can feel her working her way inside him, slipping in through the armor around his heart and it scares him. Having two women in there isn’t the best of ideas and as always the reality of what is actually happening lacerates him at the mere thought of Amelia. His brow creases at the pain, his head turning slightly away from Charlotte and her face goes uncertain.

 

“Is this okay,” she asks, shifting a little, her arm uncurling just slightly from around his shoulders and his hand tightens on her thigh.

 

“No… you’re okay,” he says and his smile is only partly forced as he pushes himself not to think about that right now.

 

“You believe me right?” she asks, her eyes searching his and this time he really does smile, getting used to the closeness of it, enjoying the soft weight of her in his lap, her body warm and soft.

 

“Yeah.” He nods.

 

“I wouldn’t do something like that. I got promoted because I caught some pretty substantial errors in a client’s portfolio. Some…” she pauses, a flicker of hurt washing through her eyes but its gone before Justin can think to question it. “Some people just started rumors because-”

 

“-they were petty assholes?” Justin cuts her off and Charlotte gives him a feeble smile.

 

“Yeah,” Charlotte says. “I mean don’t get me wrong, Anderson was a nice guy and maybe he was willing but I just... I dunno I don’t do that.”

 

Their eyes meet for a moment and then they look away, suppressing smiles and forcing down laughs. “Well…I used to not.”

 

“I’m not your boss,” Justin says, rolling his ankles so they swivel from side to side and the humor leaves Charlotte’s eyes.

 

“No…you’re worse.”

 

Justin cringes. “You’re nothing if not blunt, Charlie,” he says with a sigh, shifting awkwardly and Charlotte sighs, turning to press her lips against his temple and that suffocating intimacy is back, causing him to silently squirm but he doesn’t pull away, enjoying the feel of her mouth against his skin, enjoying the tension, the pull towards her warring with the moral urge to pull away.

 

“I find it keeps us honest,” she says softly against his skin before kissing his temple lightly.

 

He shivers, his heart warming in his chest at her tenderness and he fights the urge to let his arms wrap tightly around her, to bury his face in the warm clean skin of her neck and just breathe. It isn’t until right now that he realizes that sex wasn’t the only thing he’d been missing out on with Amelia. It’s almost funny to him how he never noticed it until now after one small taste of affection that he had been starving for it.

 

“Oh jeez,” Charlotte says, her body stiffening and he fights the urge to whine as she pulls out of his lap. “It’s almost one; my lunch hour is almost over.” Justin watches the subtle sashay of her hips as she walks around to the other side of his desk, checking her watch thoughtfully. “I should probably grab something to eat,” she mutters to herself and before he even has a chance to breathe her eyes cut to him. “And if you make one comment about having a hot dog for lunch I will smack you upside your fuzzy head.”

 

Justin bursts out laughing, wheezing from the force of it. “I was going to say no such thing,” he replies, reaching up to rub a hand over his short hair. “And my head is not fuzzy.”

 

“Its getting long,” Charlotte says, nodding towards his hair and he shrugs running a hand over it again. “Does Fee have an appointment for you?”

 

Justin frowns. “I thought you liked my hair longer.”

 

Charlotte blinks back at him somewhat surprised but recovers quickly. “Yeah… I do.” She gives him a searching look before looking down at her shoes. “Fee’s gonna be back soon. I gotta go.”

 

“Will I see you tomorrow?” Justin asks and Charlotte turns back to him, a full smile pulling at her lips until his favorite dimple makes an appearance on her cheek.

 

“I’ll see what I can do.”

 

She gives him a quick wink before reaching for the door. “Hey Charlotte.”


She pauses, turning again, letting her hair swing around as butterflies tickle her stomach and he’s risen from his chair, standing uncertainly. He takes a step around his desk and she turns back, meeting him half way in the middle of the room. His face is slightly unsure and she can feel her heart pick up.

 

“I just…I was wondering…” he looks down at the floor between them and lets out a nervous chuckle that makes her shiver. “I know this is kinda weird and outta the blue but…would you mind…um…taking a look at my…my finances?”

 

Charlotte blinks back at him. She doesn’t know what she was expecting but that certainly wasn’t it. She reaches up to tuck her hair behind her ear, crossing her arms tight over her chest.

 

“Yeah,” she says nodding and he lets out a sigh of relief. “Yeah sure. What am I looking for?”

 

“Well…erm…” he shifts, reaching up to rub the back of his neck. “I don’t know. I kinda just want you to make sure that…um…I’m not broke.” His ears turn red and Charlotte giggles.

 

“I seriously doubt you’re broke,” she says placing a hand on his shoulder. “Where are the files?” she asks looking around.

 

“Um…yeah about that…see I didn’t know what you needed so I just called my accountant and authorized you to poke around.”

 

Charlotte raises an eyebrow. “Poke around?” Justin nods and she stares at him a beat before laughing softly.

 

“Alright money bags I’ll call over there. Anything you wanna tell me before I start looking at credit reports and what not? Any weird porno or drug habits you’d like to share?”

 

“Well,” he says solemnly. “I think you should know… I have a problem.” he looks down and Charlotte’s brows draw.

 

“What?” she asks softly and he chances a glance up at her, his blue eyes doleful and he blinks quickly as if stealing himself. “What… what kind of problem?” she asks, touching his arm lightly and he sighs.

 

“Shoes,” he breathes out heavily, bringing a hand up to rub his eyes and it takes Charlotte a minute to process. “Jordans, Pumas, Vans. Its…” he shakes his head and his voice cracks perfectly on cue. “Its an addiction.” He brings a hand to his mouth as if forcing back tears and Charlotte scoffs at him, the back of her hand smacking his chest hard and he winces, a brilliant smile lighting up his face.

 

“You’re such an asshole,” she mutters but she can’t force down her smile, “Okay I have to go,” she says seriously and she stands on her tip toes, pressing a quick kiss to his lips that he is completely unprepared for. She giggles rubbing at her lips. “Your beard tickles.”

 

She reaches up to touch his cheek, her nails scratching lightly at the scruffiness of his beard and he chuckles, that full feeling overtaking him again when she pats his chest. He watches her walk back to the door, still slightly dazed. She’d kissed him so quickly and thoughtlessly, almost as if it’d just been second nature and he marvels at it. Amelia hadn’t done that in…god he can’t even remember. He shakes his head hard.

 

“Yeah go get that hotdog,” he teases, turning to go back to his desk but he can’t help looking back and he finds her in the doorway, leaning back into the room to reach for the door handle.

 

“Oh I already had one,” she quips, winking at him quickly before pulling the door closed behind her.

 

She shakes her head at herself as she leaves his office, every step to the elevators sending a jab of pain through her heels and up her calves. These shoes really will be the death of her. She sighs, taking longer strides, trying to alleviate some of the pressure but it doesn’t help. It does however get her to the elevator faster. She steps inside, leaning her head back against the cool wooden façade and heaving a sigh.

 

That wasn’t exactly how she’d planned that encounter to go. She’d been avoiding him all week, hadn’t called or come by, hadn’t returned any of his texts because it’s what she always does when she’s upset with him and doesn’t think she can keep her mouth shut about it. She’d been seriously miffed over his text on Saturday and despite her better efforts to logic herself out of her anger she couldn’t seem to keep from being bitter. She knows he can’t give her any more than he already is and she knows that what they have will never be anything more than what they are right now. She knows this. But goddamnit, it doesn’t stop her from thinking he’s a fucking asshole for it.

 

She’d only come by because she knew the longer she waited the harder it would be for them to act normal around each other. It wasn’t that she missed him. No of course not. And she’d only done what she’d done because listening to him talk about the stupid renovation and hearing his voice sounding so dull and defeated as he listed every stupid thing Amelia was doing with the place, none of which sounded like anything he wanted or cared about and he just looked so goddamn sad. She hadn’t really thought about anything else but making him feel better. She lets her eyes close, bringing her head forward just enough so it’s slightly jarring when she lets it drop back against the wall with a dull thud. She’d always considered herself to be a fairly smart person. Why was it she was such an utter idiot in this situation?

 

The doors ding open and she opens her eyes, coming face to face with Felicity who looks slightly shocked then delighted to see her, people nudging past her into the elevator.

 

“Hey Charlotte!” she exclaims with a brilliant smile and then her face goes slightly slack, her brows raising as Charlotte steps towards her. “Wow cute dress!”

 

Charlotte blinks back bewildered. No one ever complimented her on how she dressed. Well, aside from Justin but she’s pretty sure he’s biased. “Um…thanks.”

 

“You and Justin have lunch?” Felicity asks, her face puckering in confusion. “It wasn’t on his schedule.”

 

“Oh I was just…swinging by,” Charlotte replies and a flash of panic rolls through her at the realization that she spent her lunch hour with Justin alone in his office and had no legitimate excuse as to why.

 

“Good maybe he’ll be in a better mood,” Felicity says undeterred, stepping into the elevator. “He’s been all mopey mope all week.” She flashes Charlotte a brilliant smile as the doors start to close. “See ya!”

 

Charlotte doesn’t have time to respond, just turns and nudges her way through the crowded lobby and onto the street, nervousness gnawing at her. She’s usually so much more careful about these things. Its true that the past couple weeks have seen her become more complacent with her current situation. The taboo of what they are doing is starting to wear off the more time they spend together and she guesses it’s only natural that some of the paranoia is beginning to wane. But that doesn’t mean she should be letting her guard down.

 

She checks her watch, ultimately deciding against lunch and begins her pilgrimage back to Amelia’s office. She walks a block before she breaks down and pays the eight dollars to take a cab back down Fifth Avenue, her toes rejoicing in the cramped confines of her heels. Isabel and Lauren are giggling across their desks at each other when she arrives, their smiles fading slightly as the lay eyes on her. She gives them a quick smile anyway, turning to hang her jacket on the rack.

 

“Charlotte,” Lauren says cheerily and Charlotte freezes, turning towards them slowly and finding them smiling back at her. Well that’s a strange turn of events. “We were just talking about you.”

 

“Oh…” is all Charlotte can respond with, wondering what the hell is going on.

 

“Yeah,” Isabel says looking to Lauren and then back at Charlotte. “We were wondering where you got your dress.”

 

Charlotte blinks and looks down at herself dumbly. This had to be some kind of trick. It reeked of those stupid teen movies where the popular girls compliment the plain, nerdy girl only to insult her as soon as she let her guard down. However, it is also the second compliment she’d gotten on her outfit in the past forty-five minutes and as she runs her hands down her skirt nervously she can’t help but be a little proud of herself. It was an impulse buy really, just something she’d seen and fell in love with on one of Amelia’s fool errands and she really wouldn’t have bought it if it hadn’t been on sale.

 

“Oh... I got it at Saks,” she says fighting her blush as the foreign words fall from her mouth and a strange feeling washes over her, a feeling of almost discomfort she can’t place.

 

“We just got back from there,” Lauren chimes, looking to Isabel and Charlotte can hear the telltale crinkle of shopping bags under their desks as they shift in their chairs and giggle.

 

“Get anything good,” Charlotte asks, not really knowing what else to say. After all Lauren and Isabel had never engaged her in casual conversation before.

 

“Oh you know, just a few dresses I had my eye on,” Lauren says with a shrug and then her eyes cut to Isabel quickly before turning back to her. “Hey, listen, we’re going again tomorrow…you know…if you want to join us.”

 

Charlotte, who had been about to sit down, nearly misses her chair, her hands reaching to grip the desktop until she is safely in her seat. She looks at the other girls wide eyed, keeping enough of her composure not to let her mouth hang open thankfully but she can tell by their nervous glances that her shock is evident.

 

“We just noticed that you’d been showing a…” Lauren pauses, her eyes catching Isabel’s briefly before looking back at Charlotte, “a more concentrated interest in fashion.”

 

“I have?” Charlotte asks slightly bewildered and the girls both giggle.

 

“Well, yeah Charlotte,” Lauren says giving her a searching look. “This is the third designer I’ve seen you wear.”

 

Charlotte’s mouth falls open, looking down at herself in complete shock. Since when did she buy designer? Sure she hadn’t been to her regular shopping haunts in a while but that was only because she was constantly at some department store on an errand and if she needed anything she’d pick it up then. It hadn’t been a conscious decision. She would never intentionally buy designer clothes. Not that there was anything wrong with it she guessed. She had been having an easier time finding things, dresses hanging exactly the way they are supposed to, skirts hugging her curves as opposed to strapping them in. It’s even caused her to have a little bit more sympathy for her Christmas gift from Amelia. It’s a very well made bag and is actually very easy to carry albeit still dead ugly.

 

“We just figured that if you’re shopping at Saks maybe we can help you,” Isabel blurts and Lauren’s head whips, her eyes widening at the other girl who purses her lips and ducks her head embarrassed.

 

“Not that there’s anything wrong with what you’ve been wearing lately,” Lauren hurries to amend and Isabel nods enthusiastically. “It’s just now that we know that you’ve got some style of your own we can work with you.”

 

They smile at Charlotte as if this is all a very big compliment and Charlotte smiles back weakly. She tries to think back on the last couple of things she’s bought, the dress she’s wearing, the shoes. The dress she wore last Friday and the one she wore a week or so ago, the one with the green print that Justin had liked. She knows it’s childish but she has the strong urge to shove all of those items to the back of her closet and never wear them again. She never minded the fact that none of the other girls were nice to her, disliked her for the way she dressed, where she grew up, connections she didn’t have. In fact she takes a certain amount of pride in it, seeing every snub and sneer as a constant reminder that she’s not like them, not like-

 

“Amelia!” Lauren exclaims, her voice laced with surprise as their boss breezes in, shimmying out of her cashmere coat and hanging it on the rack. “I thought you had a meeting with Arthur after lunch.”

 

“I did,” Amelia says shortly, flicking her hair out of her eyes as she walks briskly past their desks and into her office. “Did you pick up my scarves?”

 

Lauren and Isabel freeze looking at each other wide eyed. The office is silent, Amelia’s question hanging in the air and the longer it goes unanswered the thicker the tension. The three girls look to one another, seeing if anyone knows to what Amelia is referring. A heavy weight drops in their stomachs when they realize that each one of them is as clueless as the next.

 

“Hello,” Amelia says, appearing in the doorway to her office, hands on her hips. “Have you all suddenly been struck dumb?”

 

“They weren’t ready,” Charlotte blurts, her eyes flicking to Lauren and Isabel who look only slightly relieved.

 

They hear her scoff and then the dull thud of her heels as she walks back to her door. “I thought you said Saks called this morning?” Amelia asks, her eyes narrowing on Lauren who stares back at her unblinkingly. “You said you were going to Saks over lunch did you not?”

 

“Yes,” Lauren says her voice slightly breathless.

 

“But they weren’t ready,” Isabel adds, her eyes flicking to Charlotte who cringes.

 

Amelia’s face puckers slightly, a look of calculated perplexity covering her features. “Why would they call here if they weren’t ready?” She hums, a dangerously casual sound as she turns to walk back into her office.

 

“You go,” Lauren hisses at Isabel who frowns shaking her head.

 

“Why don’t you go?”

 

Charlotte rolls her eyes, turning to her computer and swirling her mouse to bring the screen to life. How hard is it to remember a phone call from barely two hours ago? Especially when they were in the store already. She could understand if they were out running errands elsewhere but they were in Saks for crissake. And why they couldn’t just take responsibility for their actions she’d never know.

 

“Because I have to answer the phones.”

 

“I can answer the phones.”

 

“Yeah and when you patch through the wrong person I get yelled at for letting you handle the phones no way-”

 

“Will you two quit bickering and one of you just freakin’ go?” Charlotte snaps before she can even stop herself and both girls’ heads turn at the venom in her voice. Charlotte ducks her head, taking a deep breath. Where had that come from? “Or call Kirsten. Have her pick them up,” she suggests a little more kindly and Lauren nods, reaching for the receiver and dialing quickly.

 

What a peculiar sensation, to be listened to and have her instructions followed without the roll of eyes or a quiet scoff of annoyance. Maybe she had been silly to think that not getting along with the other girls would set her apart from them in any kind of meaningful way. All it really did was cause unnecessary tension.

 

“Charlotte.”

 

Amelia’s voice wafts through her office door and Charlotte cringes, swallowing hard. “Yes?”

 

“Could you come here.”

 

It isn’t a question. Charlotte stands from her chair slowly, snatching a notepad and pen as her feet burning and she wishes she could just take off these stupid shoes. Each step is agony but she somehow manages to walk through Amelia’s office door without wincing, pushing the pain to the back of her mind as she takes the steps to stand in front of Amelia’s desk.

 

“Shut the door.”

 

Charlotte blinks slowly, hissing internally as she retraces her earlier steps, walking back to nudge Amelia’s office door closed and the room is silent. The quiet in Amelia’s office always sort of unnerves Charlotte, her being used to the steady hum of the computers or the ringing phone in the outer office, the soft warble of the radio at Justin’s. She grits her teeth forcing him from her mind. She doesn’t like to think about him when she’s in Amelia’s presence, fearing that her guilt would read so plainly across her face.

 

She turns slowly, taking long strides back to Amelia’s desk in order to reach it faster. She stands before her, hands clasped in front of her awkwardly, her heart thrumming quickly in her chest. She does her best not to fidget, watching Amelia who is immersed in the contents of her day planner. Charlotte suddenly wishes she’d taken the time to stop by the bathroom before returning to her desk because she has no clue what she looks like. She breaks out in a cold sweat when she remembers the way Justin’s fingers had tangled in her hair, combing back through it as her lips had worked over him slowly, how her eyes had watered when his release had caught her slightly off guard. She swallows hard, reaching up to smooth a hand over her hair discretely, then running the pad of her index finger under her eyes, hoping her makeup isn’t too horribly smudged.

 

“The girls asked you to go shopping with them?”

 

Charlotte blinks slowly, her brows drawing in confusion, watching the light glint off Amelia’s golden head as she flicks forward a few weeks in her planner. She looks up when Charlotte doesn’t answer right away and Charlotte can discern no emotion or intent from her features. So she merely nods, smiling awkwardly.

 

And then Amelia does something truly shocking. She smiles warmly back at her. “I’d suggested they invite you.” Her smile widens. “I knew you’d catch on eventually.”

 

“I – excuse me?” Charlotte asks, thoroughly confused and Amelia’s laugh tinkles.

 

“I mean even in those discount department store rags you showed potential,” Amelia says with a sigh tilting her head to the side and regarding Charlotte with a small sense of pride. “We just needed to get you in the right stores. Now look at you,” Amelia says her eyes roving from Charlotte’s head to her toes and she has the sickening sense that she’s being x-rayed. “Lafayette 148 isn’t the best but it fits you well,” Amelia says with an approving nod, her nose wrinkling as she takes in the wide belt at Charlotte’s waist. “And the belt is a nice touch. I suppose if you can’t lose those curves you might as well work with them.” Charlotte feels her cheeks heat, her fingers crushing the fingers of her other hand as she ducks her head. “And the shoes…” Amelia sighs. “Elizabeth and James. Not bad at all Charlotte.” She smiles at her again, a slow knowing smirk as if she’d known all along it’d come to this. “Not bad at all.”

 

“Amelia,” Charlotte says, chuckling uneasily caught somewhere between pride and sickening dread. “I really don’t know-”

 

“I know you don’t which is why I suggested Isabel and Lauren take you shopping,” Amelia cuts her off, looking quite pleased with herself. “There’s no need to thank me.”

 

“Thank you Amelia,” Charlotte intones and Amelia replies with a gracious nod watching her for an uncomfortable beat before giving a wave of her hand.

 

“Anyway, I wanted to talk to you more about Paris,” Amelia says folding her hands on her desk and Charlotte nods poising her pen over her notepad, thankful that the conversation has turned to something a little less personal. “While I’m gone I want status reports four times a day and I want everything that requires my signature faxed to my hotel room. Isabel will see that I get it.” She narrows her eyes at her office door as if saying she better. “Forward all important emails to my blackberry. Lauren will be keeping track of it.”

 

“Kirsten is going to be with you?” Charlotte questions, her pen flying across the page, fighting the urge to raise an eyebrow. Kirsten is easily the most skittish of the girls, Amelia’s intimidation affecting her more severely than the rest it seemed, causing her to make stupid mistakes on an almost daily basis. But she is easily the most stylish, the daughter of some fashion mogul and Charlotte is convinced that the only reason she still has her job is because of her connections.

 

“Yes, God help me,” Amelia sighs reaching up to rub slow circles over her left temple. “I need you to check my reservations and make sure everything is in order before I leave next week. Have I gotten confirmation from Roberto Cavalli yet?”

 

“No, not yet,” she says and Amelia’s lips press into a thin line. “All of your other seats are confirmed though,” she adds quickly her mind still flailing slightly. “Front row next to the runway as requested.”

 

“I want you to call again,” Amelia says and Charlotte nods, scribbling it down. Amelia sighs, looking at Charlotte somewhat sadly. “If I would have known that you’d be showing some inkling of style I would have taken you instead of one of the other girls.” She rolls her eyes, “Although god knows what this place would be like when I got back. And it’s best you stay and keep an eye on Justin.”

 

Charlotte cringes “Right.”

 

“Also I wanted to discuss with you the details of my bridal shower on Saturday,” Amelia says with a sigh, flicking back in her planner. “Marletta and Suki are serving brunch at eleven but I want you there at nine to make sure that everything gets started on time-”

 

“Me?” Charlotte blurts as her pen stops, hovering over the page as she looks up at her boss bewildered. “You want me at your bridal shower?”

 

Amelia blinks slowly. “Well who else would I have there Charlotte?” she asks testily. “Lauren and Isabel are obviously incapable.” She gives an annoyed sigh. “They can’t remember a phone call from not even two hours ago. I mean it might be defensible if they were out to lunch or something but they were in Saks! Which makes it inexcusable.” She shakes her head.

 

It’s like a smack in the face, her thoughts coming from Amelia’s mouth and it sends Charlotte’s mind stuttering as that hot flash of astonishment rolls through her limbs. There must be some mistake. Maybe she’d heard Amelia say this before and it had simply sat and festered in her brain and in her annoyance earlier it had tumbled into her conscious mind out of irritation. There was no other explanation for her thoughts coming out of Amelia’s mouth almost word for word. That’s surely it. Isn’t it?

 

“Anyway, I’ll need to you stick around until after the shower to catalog my gifts for thank you cards,” Amelia says waving a hand dismissively.

 

Charlotte looks back at her blinking a few times to try and focus but her mind is running a mile a minute. She shouldn’t be this upset over this. It was a causal thought and she’d been annoyed. It wasn’t as if she’d said it out loud. She didn’t go around insulting the other girls just because she could. She’s not like that. Hell she’d never even snapped at them…well…until just now. She frowns. Something strange is happening here, something she doesn’t quite understand.

 

“That’s all I think.” Amelia says when she doesn’t respond and Charlotte nods, still distracted and confused turning to walk back to the outer offices.

 

She’s unfocused for the rest of the day, the tasks at hand seeming to slip from the forefront of her mind and that unsettled feeling creeps back in. Why were the other girls so cautious around her all of a sudden, their words chosen carefully as if she were going to snap at them for the smallest annoyance? Where was the goofy snapshot of her family at Fourth of July a few years back that she usually kept leaning against her computer screen? She only finds it when she worms her hand underneath the monitor, a thin layer of dust covering the back from where it had lain facedown for god knows how long.

 

The subway ride at the end of the day is a long one, affording her too much time to think, too much time to realize all the mistakes she’s been making. She’s noticing things, stepping back from herself to be an outsider looking in and what she sees horrifies her. Designer shoes and clothes, lunches and dinners in Manhattan, and the sickening realization that it had all become part of her routine, business as usual. Somewhere between running Amelia’s errands and doing her busywork Charlotte had done something she’d sworn she’d never do. She’s slowly becoming just like her.

 

She trudges up the six flights of stairs to her apartment and when she steps inside the place seems foreign, like she doesn’t belong here anymore. Here, with the furniture she’d inherited from her grandmother and the walls she’d painted herself after one too many late nights of watching HGTV and she found out that shit isn’t as easy they make it look on television. Here, where she used to clip coupons and dance in her underwear. Here, her favorite place to be before she started this thing with Justin and now her favorite place is wherever he is.

 

She sighs, closing her eyes as she drops her keys in the bowl on the table next to the door and shuts the door behind her closing herself inside. This place had seen a lot of her mistakes but she can’t help but thinking the ones she’s made over the past several weeks trumps them all. She feels angry, angry with herself and with the people who’ve changed her, kicking her shoes off and ripping her dress from her body, stubbornly pulling on her oldest sweats, her stained college t-shirt. She washes her face, scrubs it clean and ties her hair up before snatching her emergency stash of Hagaan Daz from the freezer.

 

Who had she become and more importantly how could she have not noticed until now? Looking back, of course hindsight being 20/20 as it always is, she can see the change had slowly been taking its effect, but she’d been too wrapped up in other things. Justin’s face, hands, body, float through her mind and she closes her eyes giving her head a quick shake to rid it of thoughts of him. What had she been thinking, flitting around New York City in Amelia’s shiny black town car going to the fancy department stores, eating at chic restaurants? Those things had never mattered to her before. They don’t really even matter now but the fact that she’s doing them, that she’s doing them without giving it much thought. She refuses to even let her mind wander to what she’s doing with Justin, an engaged man.

 

She’s changed, she’s not the doe eyed girl from the small coalmining town anymore. It was bound to happen eventually, she concedes to herself but she isn’t sure how she feels about what she’s become. She’s doing things, thinking things, saying things she never would have dreamed of doing or thinking or saying before. She’s been sucked into this world that she’s always kind of despised or at least thought was frivolous and anyone who fell into it was a sheep, or so desperately insecure that they had to adhere to this ridiculous social code to feel as if they belonged.

 

She wonders which category she has wound up in.

 

She feels lost and confused, desolate and sad and she does the one thing she knows to do when she feels this way. She grabs her cellphone and presses “send”. Scrolling farther and farther down her brow draws searching and searching and when she comes to the end she immediately feels guilty at not finding the number in her most recent calls. Had it really been that long?

 

Her mother picks up on the second ring, her voice ringing and happy as if she’d been laughing when she picked up the phone and Charlotte smiles despite herself, an ache tugging in her chest, homesickness causing her throat to close.

 

“Hey Mom,” she says after a second, looking down and hooking her heel on the edge of the couch cushion, fiddling with the frayed hem of her sweats.

 

“Charlotte!” her mother exclaims elated and Charlotte bites her lip hugging her knee tighter to her chest. “It’s been a long time, we were starting to worry.”

 

“I…I know. I’m sorry,” Charlotte says softly, shifting on the couch and biting her lip.

 

“I know you’re busy honey, I’m not complaining,” her mother responds and Charlotte smiles, her heart aching at her mother’s compassion even though she doesn’t feel she deserves it. “I was gonna call you soon anyway to see how our taxes are coming.”

 

Charlotte cringes feeling instantly worse, reaching up to rub her forehead. “Yeah I’m…I’m sorry I’m working on them,” she lies haltingly, pulling herself from the couch and zigzagging around her living room furniture to plop down at her kitchen table that serves more as a desk than anything else.

 

“There’s no rush honey,” her mother says and there’s a slight pause before she adds. “But if you could get it done soon we could use the refund.”

 

“Is everything okay?” Charlotte asks, feeling more and more guilty by the second, shifting through piles of bills and receipts, nudging her laptop out of the way before finally unearthing the manila envelope her mother hand sent her a month ago.

 

“Oh everything is fine,” her mother assures her. “We’re just looking to do some repairs around the house. You know the plumbing in the upstairs bath is about to bite it and your father has reached the limit of his expertise.” She giggles and Charlotte smiles at the sound.

 

“Hitting it with the wrench isn’t working anymore huh,” Charlotte teases, resting her elbows on the table, taking comfort in the simple act of speaking to her mother.

 

“Not this time, no,” her mother confesses and there’s a short pause. “Honey, are you okay?”

 

“Yeah…” Charlotte says, her eyes falling on the pile of papers in front of her, flicking through. Phone bill. Water. Electric. Credit Card. Her eyes widen.

 

“You sound sad,” her mother says softly but Charlotte barely hears her, her brows drawing as she takes in her last months charges. Had she really spent seven hundred dollars in Saks, a hundred dollars on lunch at Kai, three hundred dollars on underwear in Victoria Secret?

 

“I’m just…” she says shaking her head and rubbing her face hard. “I’m just stressed. Work you know.”

 

“Is that woman still being horrible?” her mother asks shortly and Charlotte grins despite herself. “You don’t put up with that Charlie Beth. You quit if you need to.”

 

“Mom, I can’t quit,” Charlotte says, Justin’s face fluttering through her thoughts against her will. “I’m making good money,” she offers, thinking thank god as she eyes her credit card balance.

 

“Your sanity is worth something,” her mother argues lightly and Charlotte smiles. “Do you have any idea of what you want to do?” she adds gently, her voice holding a forced casualness and Charlotte can feel herself bristle slightly at the question.

 

“Not really,” she offers meekly.

 

To tell the truth she hadn’t really thought about it in a long time. Before she got caught up in all of this mess she had worried constantly over what she should be doing. She doesn’t want to be an assistant forever; the mere thought of doing something so meaningless for the rest of her life makes her skin crawl. She went to college, she worked her ass off and she wants a job that reflects that. But she’d lost that somewhere along the line, caught up in her job and the stress of handling Amelia Domineck’s life which now included her fiancé… She cringes.

 

“Have you thought any more about your Masters?” her mother questions carefully and Charlotte shifts in her chair. “I was looking online and Stern offers this flexible MBA thingy. It says you can go on weekends!”

 

“Mom,” Charlotte says with a sigh. She hates having this conversation with her parents. They just don’t get it.

 

“Not finance,” her mother is quick to amend. “You could try accounting. That would go nicely with your BA,” she coaxes and Charlotte sighs. “I know finance was too competitive Charlotte. I understand what you were saying. I’m not ignoring you. But you always liked working with numbers and you’re so good at it.”

 

“Mom…” Charlotte sighs again shaking her head.

 

“Okay, okay I’ll quit harping on you,” her mother concedes. “I’m happy you called.”

 

“I’m…I’m happy I called too,” Charlotte says shifting and smiling a little. “It’s good to hear your voice.”

 

“Are you sure you’re okay?” her mother tries again and Charlotte nods as if she can see her.

 

“Just…I’m just dealing with a lot,” she says, biting her lip and fiddling with a pen she found under a pile of papers.

 

She has the sudden urge to tell her about Justin, to ask her advice like she has with every other boy she’s ever cared about but she knows she never can. She already knows what that advice would be and she’s not ready to hear it yet.

 

“You work too hard honey,” her mother says, her voice pitying in that way that shows how much she cares and Charlotte smiles. A high-pitched beep sounds in the background and her mother gives a soft “oh” “That’s the roast. Baby, I gotta go,” she says and Charlotte sits up straighter in her chair.

 

“Oh okay,” she says, a little disappointed but when she looks at the pile of bills and tax forms in front of her she takes comfort that she at least won’t be bored for the rest of the evening. “Tell Dad I love him. And Paul. Not Isaac though.”

 

Her mother laughs. “Alright I will. Take care of yourself ya hear? Don’t go gettin’ sick and worryin’ your old mama to death.”

 

It’s Charlotte’s turn to laugh. “I’ll be fine. And I’ll try and call more often,” she says, vowing to call every week, twice a week even.

 

“You do that baby. We miss you round here,” her mother says.

 

Charlotte’s throat is thick. “I miss you guys too.”

 

“Okay I’ll talk to you soon.”

 

“Bye, Mom.”

 

Charlotte holds the phone to her ear until she hears the click and the line goes dead. She sets the phone down and stares at it, tears welling in her eyes, blurring her vision and she cries. She cries for what she’s lost and what she’s become. She cries because she misses her family and because she’s alone. She cries because she’s falling more and more for Justin everyday and nothing with that is ever going to change. She cries because she can’t pull away and she cries because she feels hopeless, feels like a failure.

 

After a few moments she pulls herself, wiping her eyes on her sweatshirt sleeve and sniffling a little. There is no use in crying, she thinks. She did all of this to herself. No one forced her to change, no one held a gun to her head and made her buy into this quasi-celebrity lifestyle she’s been leading over the past couple weeks. No one is forcing her to sleep with her boss’ fiancé. She cringes.

 

She needs something, something that isn’t tied to her job or to Justin, something that can be hers and hers alone. She contemplates quitting but writes that off almost immediately, for monetary reasons she tells herself even though something quiet inside her whispers liar. She heaves a heavy sigh, shifting through the mail in front of her listlessly, tossing aside junk mail and flyers, hoping that going through the clutter on her desk will help her go through the clutter of her life.

 

She pauses; fingering a heavy cardstock flyer, two people in their late twenties smiling at each other in front of what she knows to be the Stern building in Washington Square. She’s too late for spring semester signups. She already knows this but she needs to do something. Something that doesn’t involve running all over this damn city for Amelia or bending over in front of Justin, even though she’s not ready to give either of those things up just yet. She’s been asleep at the wheel for just a little too long and its time to do this, to make this change. For herself.

End Notes:
I posted this over on JJB but just so everyone knows; if you guys want kind of status updates as to how its going between postings I pretty much always give a progress report every time I update my livejournal (http://insatiable-jrt.livejournal.com/) and I try and post that part first before I delve into all my RL crap  So friend me on there or bookmark it or whatever if you're interested in keeping track. :)
Chapter 27 by SomethingBlue42
Author's Notes:

Sooooo sorry this one took so long guys. Writers block and then midterms. Its been a crazy month an a half. Thanks for sticking with me!

 

Charlotte is slightly ashamed of herself. What self-respecting twenty-four year old holes herself up in her boss’ kitchen on a Saturday morning? This one, Charlotte thinks sarcastically to herself and her pride bristles slightly but lays quiet at the remembrance of her arrival this morning. Amelia had been in near hysterics, tearing around the apartment fluffing pillows and shaking out the drapes, complaining about paint fumes although Charlotte could smell nothing but gardenia blossoms and fresh baked pastries. The new Great Room is as awe inspiring as ever, just decorated differently, the new furniture rearranged, new light fixtures and drapery giving the room a light modern feel while still retaining that certain French elegance that Amelia is known for. Charlotte has to admit that she envies Amelia’s design sense. Of course it couldn’t have been that hard with the team of interior decorators she employed to assist with her vision of “the perfect Great Room.” But with Amelia nothing is ever deemed perfect no matter how close it comes to her plan. Charlotte had been moving things and rearranging chairs while Amelia barked orders at her, nearly running smack into Marletta and Suki who had been busy laying out trays and tidying place settings right up until the guests began to arrive. Charlotte would have been impressed with how quickly Amelia went from psychotic bosszilla to gracious hostess if she hadn’t been near hyperventilation from stress.

 

She knows she should be upstairs, hovering around in the shadows, waiting for Amelia to beckon but she can’t seem to summon the strength to care at the moment. She’s sure that if Amelia were to come down to the kitchen to find her she’d care a whole hell of a lot but she’s playing it fast and loose these days, or as loose as she feels comfortable with Amelia’s volatile temper always near the screeching point. It’s all about baby steps, this is what she keeps telling herself. Since her earlier revelation about her changing habits she’s been slowly coming back to herself, finding that spunky small town girl that interviewed for this job, the one Amelia had commended for her ability not to buckle under pressure, the one who doesn’t hide in the kitchen to avoid being humiliated in front of thirty or so of New York’s highest society ladies. How she longs to be the girl who couldn’t care less about such things.

 

It’s all about baby steps.

 

Right now she is simply content to drink her tea and pretend to be catching up on some paperwork. She’d even had the foresight to scatter it around her laptop in case someone should come down here looking for her. She’s quite the clever revolutionary she thinks to herself and then snorts, amused by her own sarcasm. She sighs opening a new browser window and the cursor blinks back at her in the Google search bar as if daring her to ask another question. She’d been searching with reignited fervency over the past several days, looking for any way to pull herself out of her rut, surveying community colleges and other universities in the city that might offer some interim classes or anywhere that might accept her for a spring quarter. She is determined to figure out her life, her focus unwavering and while she doesn’t know where it’s going to take her she knows she can’t stay where she is, can’t be Amelia’s slave or Justin’s toy. A lump rises in her throat and she swallows it down, forcing herself not to wonder what he’s up to this morning, where he is and whom he’s with.

 

She stares gloomily at her screen typing “solution to my fucked up life” shaking her head slightly and she hears a snort from behind her before:

 

“I’m going to laugh if that spits back porn at you.”

 

Charlotte lets out a small screech, nearly toppling out of her chair and large hands close over her shoulders to steady her, her racing heart galloping unevenly in her chest. She turns slightly and his hands fall away, allowing her to look up at him over her shoulder and she finds Justin smiling amusedly down at her, his face scruffy and unshaven.

 

“What are you doing here?” Charlotte blurts and Justin’s eyebrows raise, giving a small scoffing laugh as he looks around, sidestepping her chair to lean against the counter next to her.

 

“Well…I do live here,” he says crossing his arms and grinning at her.

 

Charlotte shakes her head, letting out an embarrassed chuckle. “Well yes I know that but I figured you wouldn’t be here…you know...” Charlotte lets her eyes travel to the ceiling and Justin nods.

 

“Oh I was going to go golfing but as you can see…” he trails gesturing to the window and she turns her head finding the sky gray and drizzling.

 

“Oh,” she says simply and he nods, sighing sadly. “Bummer.”

 

“The biggest,” Justin responds, giving one last longing glance out the window before turning and leaning over the counter next to her, his body close to hers, the hard muscle of his bicep pressing against hers as he surveys her computer screen. “Whatcha workin on?” he asks inhaling deeply to heave a sigh and his nostrils are filled with the scent of mint and skin, his chest warming at the familiarity of her. “You smell good,” he says without thinking, turning his face toward her so that his cheek rests against her shoulder, his nose pressing to the sleeve of her shirt and inhaling again, his eyes closing.

 

Charlotte giggles slightly to herself, looking around nervously. If someone were to walk in right now they’d have some serious explaining to do. They aren’t necessarily doing anything wrong, he is just standing extremely close and his nose is slowly dragging up her shoulder, causing her eyelids to flutter when it presses against her pulse point. The warmth of his breath stirs the hair against her neck, lips brushing her skin almost as if by accident but when she feels the slick swipe of his tongue she knows it’s no accident. She shifts away from him slightly.

 

“You better quit,” she whispers and his mouth is gone but his nose is still dragging a line up her neck, nuzzling at her jaw now. “Justin…” she says her voice a warning.

 

“Seriously you smell…” he trails, intoxicated by her and the effect she’s having on him, his chest full and warm, his palms itching for her skin, the pleasant tug in the pit of his stomach, “…so good.”

 

He’s walking a pretty thin line. He can feel it in his bones, the adrenalin pumping through his veins and the fear of getting caught battles with the urge to feel her skin against his, taste her lips and surround himself with the scent of mint and her skin. If Amelia were to come down at this exact moment…but no she wouldn’t. She’s too busy graciously accepting extravagant gifts from her debutante friends, too concerned with how the house looks and what everyone will say about it when they leave. She probably doesn’t even know he’s still here, thinks he’s out on the golf course and out of her way for the afternoon. His nose presses to Charlotte’s cheek ignoring the wrenching of his heart and his hand goes to the other side of her face, applying the lightest pressure so she turns, almost unwillingly, but when his lips press to hers she softens, her lips pressing to his in the hungry way that he loves, kissing him in the way that only she can.

 

She tastes like sugar and icing, the sweetness of her lips catching him off guard and he hums softly pulling back just slightly to lick his lips. His nose presses against hers, their eyes creaking open to look at each other from under heavy lids, lips puckering against each others’ almost absently. He licks his lips again.

 

“You even taste good,” he muses and she lets out a soft laugh, just a rush of breath against his lips and he kisses her again, tongue slipping in and it’s her turn to hum. “Seriously,” he says between slow pecks.

 

“I stole a pastry from upstairs earlier,” Charlotte admits sheepishly and he grins at the guilty look in her eyes, pressing another kiss to her mouth. He shifts closer, leaning against her chair causing it to creak and they both jump, sucking in gasps before their brains catch up and realize its nothing; they’re still alone. But the recklessness is starting to wane and the guilt begins to gnaw its way back into his consciousness.

 

“You are a bad girl,” he teases, trying to ignore it for as long as possible, smiling against her mouth and she chuckles, leaning back in her chair to try and escape his mouth but he doesn’t let her.

 

“You wish I was,” Charlotte responds nervously, doing her best to ignore the softness of his lips, trying to keep her eye out for anyone who might intrude but its impossible, the room having too many points of entry.

 

“Oh I think you’ve got a little bad ass streak,” Justin teases, his hands finding her thighs, warm under the linen of her pants and she presses her hands to his shoulders in warning.

 

“Watch yourself,” she cautions lightly but there’s an uneasy edge in her voice, her hands applying the lightest pressure and he smirks at her.

 

“I’m watchin’ you,” he teases, leaning forward to nip at her bottom lip, the sharp pressure of his teeth jarring her and causing a jolt to fire down her spine and settle in her lower belly.

 

He knows he shouldn’t tease this way, knows she’s right and finally allows the seriousness of what he’s doing wash over him. Kissing another woman, hands all over her in his kitchen while his fiancé is having her bridal shower upstairs? He swallows hard as his hands slide off her thighs, doing his best to hide the hatred he feels towards himself and his situation. Why does everything have to be so goddamn complicated?

 

“Justin…” she says carefully as he pulls back, sensing the shift in his mood even though he’s doing his best not to let it show.

 

“Are there anymore more of those pastries?” he questions lightly, reaching up to scratch his ear and turning to shuffle over to fridge cleverly disguised under the same wood as the rest of the kitchen cabinets.

 

“I think they’re all upstairs,” Charlotte says softly, watching him survey the contents of the refrigerator, his shoulders tensing.


She often wonders what he thinks about the situation they’re in, how he feels about what he’s doing. She knows he’s felt guilt before but if he does now he doesn’t let her see it. Not really anyway. Sometimes his mood will shift, like it has now, and she thinks it may be all of this catching up to him but she can never be sure. He plays so close to his chest when it comes to his emotions, never letting her get too close or giving her any indication if she has.

 

“Found one!” he says, pulling out a small Danish wrapped in saran wrap from the fridge, peeling the plastic away and taking a large bite, the filling squeezing out the sides. “Mmm,” he frets, his mouth full, trying to catch the cream cheese before it drips on his shirt. He shoves the rest into his mouth quickly, licking his lips thoroughly after he swallows and his eyes finally fall on Charlotte who is watching him somewhat mesmerized. He can’t help but smirk as he sucks at his fingers slowly, licking them clean.

 

“I’m not having sex with you here,” Charlotte says emphatically and Justin laughs, deep and throaty, causing Charlotte to chuckle herself, a soft blush creeping up her neck.

 

“No?” he asks, eyeing her playfully, as he shuffles over to the trashcan and tossing the saran wrap inside before leaning over the counter across from her and letting his body sway ever so slightly, mischief in his blue eyes.

 

“No,” Charlotte responds firmly, leaning back in her chair, crossing her arms and forcing her smile down. “There are just some lines I won’t cross.”

 

Justin raises an eyebrow and responds with a musing, “Huh,” as if he is fascinated by the very idea and Charlotte knows he’s just playing but something about his disbelief is unsettling to her. She’s crossed a lot of lines since she’s met him and continues to cross them now even when she knows it’s wrong. She still feels guilty, hates that it has to be this way, her sneaking around behind another woman’s back, even if that woman is Amelia. For him to act as if it means nothing to her doesn’t sit right. For him to think that because she’s crossed that one line that she’s willing to cross them all.

 

“You think that’s funny?” she asks lightly and Justin grins.

 

“Well you’ve never told me ‘no’ before,” he teases and something about his arrogance hits her hard, jarring her and tearing at her insides.

 

She simply raises her eyebrows. “Wow, you know I think this relationship is doing unhealthy things to your ego,” she deflects leaning back from him, and she can’t help but notice his slight cringe when she says “relationship.”

 

Justin actually feels himself retract at Charlotte’s words, his shoulders curling in and his hands slide from her thighs, reaching up to scratch at his ear. He’d always said they’d had a relationship but something about the way she said it, with his hands all over her. It implied that they are more than just two people who are connected. It implied that they are more than that and maybe they are but it causes something heavy to sit in the pit of his stomach. He’s already in a relationship.

 

“You okay?” Charlotte ventures, her hand reaching involuntarily for his cheek and the scruff of his beard barely tickles her fingers before he back pedals, shuffles himself away from her and out of her grasp.

 

“Yeah,” he says, shaking his head and forcing a brilliant smile that he knows doesn’t fool her. “Yeah sorry. My mind it just…” he trails watching the skepticism swim in her green eyes, “…went somewhere else for a minute.” He chuckles watching his socked toe trace the lines in the tile.

 

“You seem upset,” she ventures, giving just the gentlest push, trying to feel him out and his face pinches as he shakes his head and scoffs, neither an affirmation or a denial. “Well I don’t know Justin,” she says her voice slightly defensive and she tries again, pushing a little harder this time. “It’s not like I know what you’re feeling or anything.”

 

Justin’s body tenses but he covers it with an amused chuckle. “We’re gonna talk about feelings now?” he questions and he watches her face fall just slightly.

 

They’ve never had this discussion, where this thing between them is going even though it’s painfully obvious. They’ve never talked about what it means, or what they’re really doing. They’ve never asked the hard questions, tried to figure out their motives, never wandered into the no man’s land of feelings and consequences. Charlotte knows the logical answers to a lot of these questions and maybe if she were smarter or cared more about her own well-being than she does about being with him then all the answers would be obvious to her. But something inside of her won’t accept those conclusions, won’t believe any of it until he says they’re true. She wants to hear him say that this is going nowhere, that what they’re doing is wrong, that he feels nothing for her but lust and some fucked up version of friendship. She won’t believe it until he confirms it. Just the same as she forces herself not to believe the opposite until he denies it.

 

“I mean…” Justin says when she doesn’t respond and she looks up at him as he leans so that his elbows rest on the counter top, his palms pressing together in that way that says he’s calculating what he’s about to say. Charlotte’s heartbeat picks up as his eyes meet hers and he smiles as he says, “that’s not us Charlie.

His closing chuckle is like a kick in the gut and Charlotte has to look away, pulling her balled fists into her lap to control the sudden surge of anger. Yeah that’s not them; they don’t do feelings and emotion they just do his dick inside her and you don’t have to care about someone for that to happen. She curses herself for letting her hopes rise, for every time he’s looked at her, his soulful blue eyes drawing her in only to lacerate her and then kick her to the curb.

 

“No…no of course not,” she says, coughing out a quiet laugh as if to demonstrate that she too thought the idea absurd but the smile doesn’t quite come to fruition.

 

An awkward silence descends upon them, Justin shifting his feet slightly as he nudges at the papers on the counter. He and Charlotte aren’t like this. Their relationship is usually effortless and while he wouldn’t exactly call it easy, guilt nipping at his consciousness, it has always been something he didn’t have to think about, something that didn’t require contemplation. He doesn’t have to think about how he’s acting or what he’s saying when he’s with her, doesn’t have to worry that she’ll freak out on him. Well, at least that used to be the case. He chances a look at her, finding her eyes trained resolutely on her laptop screen, a frown tugging at the corners of her mouth. He sighs, wishing that just once his life wouldn’t over complicate itself like it has a tendency to always do.

 

“So…” he starts, dragging out the vowel in the word as he searches for something to cut the tension and comes up blank. She doesn’t look at him, but tilts her head slightly, inclining her ear towards him to show that she’s listening. He chuckles and rubs the back of his neck. “Did…uh…” he glances around at the mess of paperwork on the counter. “Did Amelia have you come all the way over here on a Saturday to do paperwork?”

 

“No I just brought it,” Charlotte responds and Justin nods, his head bobbing, pursing his lips as he searches for something else to say. Charlotte sighs. “I guess I should be up there helping but I need to make a decision about these CPA classes.”

 

Justin’s face registers slight shock before it goes blank and Charlotte does her best to keep her face neutral, chancing a glance up at him and finding him standing stock still, his shoulders tense. She hadn’t planned on telling him that she was looking for a change, afraid that he would try and stop her, even more afraid that he wouldn’t. But she’s tired of worrying about how he feels and what he’s thinking when he obviously doesn’t care about her enough to warrant her with that information. Maybe he’ll care when he realizes she’s not always going to be around.

 

Justin does his best to control his face but can feel that he’s doing a poor job. He really shouldn’t be so surprised. He knew that she would eventually decide that being Amelia’s whipping girl isn’t a valid career choice. She’s too smart to be making Amelia’s coffee and picking up her dry cleaning, he’d always thought that and he figured someday she’d realize it as well. He guesses he’d just hoped it wouldn’t be this soon.

 

 “Oh…I didn’t know you were thinking about going back to school,” he offers carefully, a pit of panic settling itself deep in his belly and he tries his best to ignore it.

 

“Yeah,” she replies nonchalantly, looking at her screen and refusing to meet his eyes, her finger swirling over her track pad absently. “I mean I should have gotten my license when I was still in school but it was going to be a hassle to fit it into my schedule and I wasn’t really interested in pursuing it then.”

 

“But you are now?” Justin asks, his voice light and Charlotte looks up at him, finding his head tilted to the side, regarding her curiously but she can see that his guard is up.

 

“Maybe,” she responds slowly, watching his face diligently for a reaction and finds none, his face blank for a beat before giving a careless shrug, a gesture that he never makes unless it’s calculated.

 

“Sounds cool,” he replies nonchalantly, leaning over the counter and she tries to ignore the way the muscles in his bicep stretch the thin cotton of his t-shirt sleeves. “I mean at least you’re trying something new,” he encourages, hoping his voice doesn’t sound as hollow as he feels and she smiles at him, shifting in her seat.

 

“Yeah,” she responds, looking down at her lap and tucking her hair behind her ear. She should be happy that he’s being supportive, that he has her best interests in mind but a little part of her hurts when she realizes he’s not going to fight for her. She scolds herself silently. Of course he’s not going to fight for you, Charlie. You’re not his to fight for.

 

“So are you gonna put in your notice or…” Justin asks, unable to stop himself and he lets his voice trail watching her carefully. She looks up at him, her hands twisting in her lap as she shifts in her chair.

 

His heartbeat accelerates, his mouth suddenly dry. What would he do if she quit? If he didn’t have the option of seeing her everyday? He’s taken that for granted, he knows, the way she drops by, sometimes with a purpose, sometimes without. He likes that he doesn’t always know when but he knows he’ll see her eventually, see her smile and hear her laugh, feel her skin and taste her mouth. What would his day be like if he didn’t have that certainty? What would it be like to not have the excuse to call her and tell her random shit about his day and listen to her talk about what crazy antics the other girls have gotten up to? He feels a crippling sense of loss and even though she’s just across the kitchen island from him he can’t help but feel she’s out of his reach.

 

“No,” she says after a moment and then gives a shake of her head as if to emphasize it. “No, I… not yet.”

 

Not yet. A flood of relief causes him to exhale shakily and Justin can’t contain the smile that pulls at his lips. Charlotte is dazzled by it, doing the only thing she can when the corners of his eyes crinkle like that. She smiles back, but it’s weak and doesn’t quite reach her eyes, Justin noting the slightest tinge of sadness in them. He wonders if she really does want to leave – who could blame her really? – and if she does he wonders what it is that’s really keeping her here.

 

“Good,” he says softly, not sure what else to say as he stands straight, flattening his hands on the counter and she smiles back feebly, awkwardness washing over them again.

 

“…no I don’t want to keep any of the leftovers just toss them on your way out…”

 

Charlotte sits bolt upright in her chair and Justin steps back from the island, moving to lean against the counter behind him as Amelia breezes into the kitchen. She’s holding a bottle of wine the color of the silk blouse she’s wearing, the ruffling of the front giving the illusion that her body is curving snake-like when she’s actually standing straight. A rose colored belt cinches her waist, accentuating the curve of her hips hugged in dark denim and Justin is surprised to recognize that they’re his line, the Amelia fit, midwaisted skinny jeans. A smile threatens to pull at his lips – just like her. She looks slightly bewildered at the sight of them, her blue eyes jumping from Justin to Charlotte and back again.

 

“I thought you were golfing,” Amelia says and Justin’s eyes narrow slightly, watching her stride up to the kitchen island and set the bottle on the counter. Something in her voice isn’t right.

 

“It’s raining,” he says, matter-of-factly, brushing it off. She’s probably upset over something stupid like someone being rude enough not to use a coaster on one of her overpriced end tables.

 

“That’s too bad, I knew you were looking forward to it,” Amelia replies absently, walking up to him and she gives his hip a nudge with the back of her hand, causing him to shift down the counter a little so she can rummage in the silverware drawer.

 

“What are you doing?” Justin asks, slightly annoyed when she nudges him again, searching in another drawer.

 

“Looking for the wine opener,” Amelia snaps back and Charlotte cringes watching Justin roll his eyes and move completely away from his fiancé.

 

He moves to lean against the island, bracing his arms against it and sighing, his eyes meeting Charlotte’s and he looks tired, as if he’s aged years just in the time span of that little exchange. He raises an eyebrow as if asking what crawled up her ass? and Charlotte can only shrug, clueless as always to Amelia’s mercurial moods.

 

Amelia returns to her bottle, cork screw in hand and she sneers at the mess of papers spread out around her before her eyes fall on Charlotte. “You can go.”

 

It’s not so much a grant of approval as an order and Charlotte scrambles to shove all of the papers in her bag, closing her laptop and stowing it away. She’s shouldering her bag as Amelia finishes peeling the foil from around the neck of the bottle. Justin is watching his fiancé with masked disdain, but his eyes are curious standing by as Amelia attempts to wind the screw into the cork, her fingers clumsy with inexperience; Charlotte is almost surprised that Amelia hasn’t asked her to do it for her.

 

“God, let me do it,” Justin mutters, his elbow nudging her arm and she melts out of the way, leaning against the counter and watching as he shoves the screw down into the cork.

 

“Don’t get cork in my-”

 

“I know what I’m doing, Amelia.”

 

Charlotte watches them for a moment, Amelia standing in stony silence next to Justin, her arms crossed as he works to get the cork out and she can’t quite explain it but the scene makes her feel hollow. Something about the way Justin’s eyes are cutting to Amelia every now at then, something like curious concern surfacing quickly before his mask of indifference slips back on and Amelia watching with her usual stoic expression, something about the innocence of it, the simplicity of him standing in their kitchen, helping her open a bottle of wine. It’s moments like this that what they are doing behind Amelia’s back is almost too much for Charlotte to bear, the idea that he’s really not hers playing out so plainly in front of her that no amount of petty excuses or justification can make up for her sins.

 

“I’ll see you on Monday,” she says softly to no one in particular and Justin barely glances at her as she crosses the kitchen to the door.

 

“Bye,” he replies absently, continuing to work the cork free and Charlotte turns for one last look, finding them standing together, Amelia’s blond head inclined towards him, almost touching his shoulder and Justin’s body tense but leaning his weight on the leg closest to his fiancé. Charlotte shakes her head, her heart thick in her throat as she makes her exit.

 

“How was the party?” Justin asks stiffly when the echo of Charlotte’s footsteps fade and they’re enveloped by the silence of an empty apartment.

 

“Lovely,” Amelia says, a cheerful hint to her tone but Justin can hear the hollowness of it. “We got a lot of nice things for the house. Bianca got us that beautiful painting from the Jen Bekmen gallery we’d been eyeing.”

 

Justin makes a face. “The creepy one with the bird heads for the middle of the flowers?” Amelia blinks up at him, a frown pulling at her lips but the disappointment in her eyes sends a little thrill through him.

 

“It’s not creepy. It’s a brilliant interpretation of hybrid creatures,” Amelia argues. “It’s going in the bedroom.”

 

“I am not sleeping with that creepy fucking thing in our room,” Justin replies, enjoying the way she tenses next to him when he finally gets the cork out.

 

“Well it’s a good thing you aren’t sleeping in there, isn’t it?” she snaps back and the words are like a whip to his chest, stinging and burning, cutting him open as she snatches the wine bottle from his hands and stomps over to the other counter, ripping a cabinet open to pull out a wine glass.

 

Justin watches as she pours herself a glass, taking in the way she leans her weight on one leg, her ass sitting perfectly in her jeans and he shakes his head, ignoring the tug of longing in his chest. He raises an eyebrow as she drains her glass in one swig and pours herself another before turning towards him, leaning back against the counter, swirling the wine in her glass, watching it stick to the sides and something isn’t right. He can feel it but honestly he can’t be compelled to care at the moment.

 

“So did you just sit around all day?” Amelia asks, eyeing Justin’s t-shirt, her gaze flicking to his socked feet and he shakes his head chuckling. Here we go.

 

“So?” he replies defiantly noting the slight roll of her eyes as she takes a sip of her wine. “It’s what you did.”

 

She glares at him. “I entertained people who got us some very nice things,” she spits and he scoffs.

 

“Yeah that bottle of wine is for us.” Justin spits sarcastically and watches Amelia’s face go blank. “Someone forget a gift or something?” he asks nodding towards her glass but his voice trails as he watches her eyes fill and she swallows hard before turning away from him, her shoulders tense.

 

He’s at a loss, taking a stuttering moment to try and assess what’s happening. She’s leaning heavily against the counter, her back rising and falling steadily taking in slow, controlled breaths. He feels like an ass, like the biggest jerk on the planet, like he always does when he somehow stumbles onto just the right thing to make her cry. It doesn’t happen often but when it does it cuts him to the bone and just like that his anger seems trivial, his defiance juvenile and all he wants to do is hold her. It always comes back to that, he finds. No matter how pissed he is, how much he thinks he hates her, he always comes back to loving her. He supposes that’s why he’s marrying her.

 

“Amelia,” he says gently, taking a step toward her, his hand reaching for her arm and he fights the jolt to his system as his skin comes in contact with hers, the first time he’s touched her in weeks. “What’s…”

 

“It’s nothing,” she says quickly, her voice a little deeper than usual as she gives the smallest sniffle, shrugging him off to walk over to the sink, pouring her glass down the drain.

 

“You’re crying-”

 

“I’m not crying,” she spats quickly and he fights the urge to growl. It’s always a fight with her, no matter what.

 

“Fine,” he says with a roll of his eyes. “Why are you not crying.”

 

Amelia takes a deep breath, turning back towards him. “Don’t be smart,” she says, snatching the bottle from the counter and walking back over to the sink.

 

“What are you doing?” he asks, slightly alarmed as she turns the bottle upside down and the deep rose liquid gurgles down the drain. “That was an expensive bottle,” he says though it’s really just a guess.

 

Amelia snorts. “It’s a Cab,” she says, her voice thin and unbelieving. “You’d think if she was going to blow off my bridal shower she’d at least get the wine I like.”

 

Justin lets his eyes close, letting out a soft sigh as it all falls into place.

 

“Your mom didn’t come?” he asks, his brow furrowing when he watches her shoulders tense even more and Amelia shakes her head, not turning towards him, just standing over the sink, her hand still curled around the empty bottle on the counter. “Why?”

 

Amelia sighs, rolling her eyes as if annoyed by the question. “Because she had an offer to visit  Roberto Cavali’s studio in Paris,” she says taking the bottle and brushing past him to drop it in the trash. “She gets to see his entire collection before he shows it at Fashion Week.”

 

“When did she decide this?” Justin asks and Amelia shrugs, her hands on her hips, every part of her screaming that she’s confident and unaffected and Justin’s heart wrenches at the sight, anger boiling in him. How could her own mother miss her bridal shower? “So she just sent you this bottle of wine and that’s it? Didn’t even tell you she wasn’t coming?”

 

“It’s Roberto Cavali, Justin,” Amelia says as if the reasoning should be obvious but her jaw is tight.

 

“It’s your bridal shower, Amelia,” Justin says emphatically as he watches her eyes turn hard, her face setting in a blank mask, the one she only wears when she’s trying not to show that she’s hurt, looking down as her eyes fill again.

 

Something softens inside him, taking the few short steps to close the gap between him and he reaches for her, running a hand down her arm before pulling her into him. Her arms wrap a little reluctantly around his waist, one hand pressing against the middle of his back as her other holds him at his waist. He holds her tighter, annoyed by her resistance. Why does she always have to fight him?

 

“The bath towels your mother sent were very nice,” she offers, her cheek against his shoulder and his hand slides up her back into her hair, cradling her head against him and he feels her tense a little more before relaxing and giving him a soft squeeze, her face turning into his neck as her arms finally wind all the way around him.

 

Once again it all comes back to this. No matter how poorly she treats him, how many times she hurts him, how crazy she makes him it comes back to this, his arms around her and the tug in his chest when he holds her. He loves her. He knows her, can tell when she’s upset, knows just how hard to push to get her to open up. He knows her past, knows how much it hurts her when her mother chooses something over her, how her father’s constant absence leaves her empty. All the little things that no one else sees or knows because she doesn’t let them, he knows. And he loves her. He loves her.

 

“I shouldn’t be surprised,” Amelia says quietly, her voice muffled against his skin and he gives her a squeeze.

 

“I’m so sorry baby,” he says, heaving a sigh.

 

He is sorry. Not just for what happened to her today but for what he’s been doing to her for the past several months, sneaking around and trying to justify that it’s because of some fault of hers. Maybe the fault is his? Maybe he’s the one not paying attention, not trying hard enough. Instead of trying to find what was missing in Charlotte maybe he should have been working harder to find it in Amelia. The shame and the guilt are almost too much for him to bear, his eyes closing as he presses his face to the softness of her perfumed hair, gardenia overpowering him, the scent almost stifling.

 

“This is silly,” Amelia says after a moment, giving a soft sniffle and pulling back from him, waving her free hand. “No use crying over bad wine.”

 

Justin can’t help but laugh. There’s his girl. She gives him a weak smile, patting his chest lightly as she moves around him to scoot in the chair that Charlotte had occupied. He watches her, the gray light from the window making her flaxen hair glow white and the soft skin of the nape of her neck is barely exposed by the ruffles of her shirt.

 

“I’m…” she starts, her shoulders tensing as her hands wrap around the iron of the back of the chair and Justin tilts his head to the side, watching her heave a sigh before glancing at him. “I just wanted you to know that…” she trails in a sigh, letting her head hang back.

 

“What?” he prompts his brow drawing in confusion.

 

“I’m sorry okay,” she spats quickly and Justin’s eyebrows race to his hairline, shock washing over him.

 

“For what?” he questions and he thinks he hears her growl softly before her eyes meet his. Her face is defiant and slightly pained and he can’t help but chuckle. She hates to apologize.

 

“For…for the past few weeks,” she says crossing her arms over her chest, looking down and to the left. “You know…”

 

Justin hums in affirmation watching her shift uncomfortably and he smiles softly. Maybe…maybe it is all for the best, Charlotte deciding to move on. His heart gives a slight shudder at the thought of losing her but he pushes it away. He’s not losing her, she’ll still be around…won’t she? He shakes his head, not wanting to think about that right now, forcing himself to be content with the fact that he and Amelia are seemingly okay again.

 

“Well,” Amelia snaps jutting her chin out and Justin is slightly startled. “Are you going to forgive me?” she demands and Justin laughs.

 

“Yeah,” he says shaking his head. “Yeah babe. We’re good.”

 

“Good,” Amelia says, a satisfied smile pulling at her lips but Justin sees the relief behind it, warming slightly at the idea that she was even worried to begin with. “Now come up and help me sort out these gifts.”

 

She breezes past him and up the stairs, Justin heaving a sigh as he turns to follow her. And that night is the first night in three weeks that Amelia and Justin share a bed.

Chapter 28 by SomethingBlue42

“WHEREAS, the parties are presently unmarried and intend to be married to each other within the next year and, in anticipation of such marriage, the parties desire to fix and determine various financial relationships that will apply during their marriage and upon the termination of their marriage whether by death, divorce or otherwise…”

 

The words stand out starkly on the page under his elbow and as much as Justin is trying to concentrate on the work in front of him he can’t help but let his eyes drift to the legal agreement. This is why he hates working in the office. It’s Amelia’s office, decorated in creams with glass tables, white woods and silk fabrics, nothing masculine about the space at all. But Justin finds that he’s been spending more and more time here over the past several months. It started out small, bringing home a few files from the office one night so he wouldn’t have to deal with them in the morning. He’d sat at the kitchen island and powered through it, having nothing better to do what with Amelia in Paris and Charlotte…well he didn’t want to think about her. He had found he worked better at home, was able to concentrate more easily so he started leaving the complicated stuff for home and the next thing he knew he was bringing things home every night. Amelia had been shocked when she’d gotten back and found him elbow deep in record contracts, telling him she was happy that he was finally really starting to enjoy the business end of things.

 

Since he’d been bringing home so much work he decided it was only practical to work in the office - those little spindly chairs in the kitchen were killing his back – and so here is where he’s been spending most of his nights. He’ll come home from work, pour himself a glass of wine and get to work, spending hours pouring over documents and demo tapes, then climb the stairs to bed where he’ll slide in behind Amelia, giving her a chaste kiss on the cheek before resting his head on his pillow and trying to sleep.

 

He doesn’t sleep much these days. Work has been on his mind a lot. He’s been thinking expansion, maybe taking on more artists, maybe opening a studio. He’s been talking a lot with Trace about expanding the clothing line to shoes and swimwear, opening a few more stores around the country, Miami and Chicago maybe. He’d talked to Eytan about maybe opening a Southern Hospitality in LA. There is a lot to do and a lot to think about, money to be made and time to be spent.

 

He finds that if he keeps himself busy he’s happier. He doesn’t miss his family, doesn’t wish Trace was around more, doesn’t miss the smell of Charlotte’s skin and hair, her smile or her laugh. He shakes his head hard. He’s sure the funk he’s been in is some weird manifestation of cold feet. After all, the wedding is only a month away now. His eyes flick to the legal papers again, swallowing the lump in his throat.

 

“You know we’re going to have to get you a desk in here, I think.”

 

Justin cranes his neck, finding Amelia leaning against the doorway, a soft smile gracing her lips. She’s still wearing her work clothes, a soft chiffon blouse ruffled up to the neck, arms bare. A pencil skirt hugs the slight curve of her hips, cinching her waist and giving her legs the allusion that they go on for days, peep toe heels skyrocketing her into the stratosphere. Justin gives her a small smile, looking back down at the papers in front of him, wondering how long she’s been standing there.

 

“Yeah…” is the only thing he can think of to say and he can hear the dull thud of her heels as they sink into the carpet.

 

“You’ve been working a lot lately,” she states, reaching to run a hand over the short stubble on his head, “you look tired.”

 

“Lots to do,” he responds with a careless shrug and he feels her hand drop to his shoulder giving him a squeeze before reaching down and tugging the packet of papers from under his elbow.

 

“Have you signed these yet?” she asks disinterestedly, flicking through and he leans farther forward shaking his head as he scribbles a note in the margin of his page.

 

“Still reading through them,” he replies absently and he hears her sigh as she sets them back down on top of the pile and it’s like the rest of his life is staring him straight in the face.

 

“Both our lawyers put them together, Justin,” Amelia says softly and he can feel his shoulders tense. “And I have more money than you anyway.”

 

There’s a teasing lilt to her voice that causes the corner of his mouth to twitch up, a ghost of a laugh coughing from his lungs. “True.”

 

She pats his shoulder again. “Come to bed. It’s late.”

 

She doesn’t even wait for him to respond, just turns to leave and he watches her over his shoulder as she sashays out of the room, the keyhole in the back of her blouse giving him a peek at her golden skin. Justin looks back down at the work in front of him and he knows he should stay up just a little later even though his body is aching from fatigue. He glances up at the clock and finds it to be only ten-thirty, sighing as he reaches up to rub his burning eyes. He really doesn’t want to get in bed yet, doesn’t want to bear the disappointment of his fatigue giving way to insomnia quite so early.

 

He sighs settling on a compromise, snatching up the prenuptial agreement and hooking it under his arm before flicking off the light and trudging his way upstairs. Amelia is sitting at her vanity, going through her nightly ritual as he tosses the papers on the bed, retreating into the closet to change, dropping his suit in the hamper and pulling on his pajamas, the silk slick against his skin. He goes into the bathroom, taking out his contacts and washing his face, cringing at the sallowness of his skin, the dull gray of his eyes. He really needs to get more sleep. He shuffles back out into the bedroom, grabbing the papers from the end of the bed as he rounds to his side, crawling up so that he lies on cool sheets, the comforter rolled down to the end of the bed. He grabs his glasses from the bedside table, slipping them on his face before settling in to read.

 

WHEREAS, information about each of the parties' assets, liabilities and approximate current income has been exchanged prior to entering into this agreement and summations of said information for each party is contained herein as Schedule A;”

 

“I went shopping today,” Amelia states simply, but her voice is a dull hum in the back of his consciousness.

 

“That’s nice,” he responds, flipping a page and continuing to read.

 

“Saks had a sale and I picked you up a new shirt at Barneys. It’s long sleeved but you could wear it if we go out at night,” she goes on and he nods absently, not even really hearing what she said.

 

“Thanks I’m sure I’ll love it,” he mumbles.

 

“I stopped by Calvin Klein as well and got you some more underwear…” she says, her voice trailing and he vaguely acknowledges the rustling of fabric which he assumes is her standing from the vanity. “And I picked some things up for myself as well…” He hums not really listening. She sighs annoyed. “Justin!” she snaps and only then does he look up bewildered by her sudden hostility.

 

“What?” he snaps back before he can stop himself and blinks slowly at the sight of her standing at the end of the bed in nothing but a sheer tanktop and panties.

 

He closes his eyes and opens them again and sure enough she’s still standing there, the seductive stretch of what upon closer inspection appears to be a corset of some kind, opaque around the waist with a wide strip of sheer lace vertically exposing the center of her abdomen from where the cups of the bustier meet to the hem but the cups of the bra are solid, the lace trim moving with every breath she takes. The panties are simple opaque black with sheer lace lining the waist, exposing the lowest part of her stomach, teasing him. His eyes meet hers and he finds a look of expectation there.

 

“Do you like it?” she prompts finally when he doesn’t say anything and he blinks slowly, looking from her to the papers in his hands.

 

WHEREAS, each party has had the opportunity to fully examine the full disclosures of the other party as summarized in Schedule A;

 

“Um yeah,” he says, flipping the page again. “Yeah, you look good baby.”

 

He hears her scoff, indignant. “What is wrong with you?”

 

He looks up at her again, blinking slowly and he’s suddenly very tired, feels like he could sleep for weeks. “What are you-”

 

“You’ve been moping around here for weeks!” she goes on, throwing a hand in the air. “Ever since I got back from Paris all you do is work, you’re not sleeping. I swear to god between you and Charlotte-”

 

“I’m fine okay,” Justin cuts her off abruptly, the sound of Charlotte’s name driving a steel spike through his chest. “And who are you to complain about me working? You were always bitching that I never took my job seriously.”

 

“Don’t curse,” she warns and Justin’s fingers curl around the papers in his hands. “And I’m not saying,” she says her voice going lofty as she crawls onto the bed next to him, “that you working is a bad thing.” She trails a finger down his chest. “I’m just saying that you seem…” she pauses and he looks up at her, his face tired and worn, “sad.”

 

Justin snorts, biting back a retort that she never seemed to care before. Instead he responds, “I’m fine.”

 

“You’re not fine,” she says softly, her hand flattening against his chest and sliding down. “Which is why I figured…” he sucks in his breath as her hand cups him between his legs, giving a gentle squeeze. “that we better have sex before you fall into some kind of depression.”

 

Justin is so shocked he can’t even begin to process her words. If he had known “moping around” would get her to try and seduce him he would have started dragging his feet around and sighing listlessly years ago. Had he really been moping? He doesn’t think he has been. Sure he hasn’t been as animated lately but he figures that’s from the sleeplessness and doesn’t really have anything to do with the fact that Charlotte doesn’t come around much anymore.

 

He sucks in a quick breath, trying to concentrate on the way Amelia’s lips are smudging along his jaw, her fingers kneading him slowly, swallowing hard as he feels the tug in his groin. He chuckles softly in disbelief as she nuzzles under his ear, shifting awkwardly under her and he’s slightly horrified to realize that he doesn’t really want to do this.

 

“Is something wrong?” Amelia asks, her voice tickling his ear and he notices then that her hand has stopped its movement, just holding him gently.

 

“No…no of course not I’m just…” he trails watching as her fingers begin to work over the crotch of his pajamas again feeling himself begin to heat up as he concentrates on the friction.

 

Thankfully she doesn’t prompt him to finish his sentence, her mouth busy against his neck and he lays back, staring up at the ceiling and wondering why he’s not more excited about this. It’s been nearly – his eyes widen – eight months since he and Amelia have had sex. Something quiet in the back of his mind whispers it’s been two since he’s been with Charlotte but he shoves that away quickly, turning his face to Amelia and catching her somewhat off guard as his lips capture hers.

 

Her hand leaves him, smoothing up his chest as she swings a leg over him, settling against his lap and the pressure makes him moan quietly, finally getting used to the idea and to be honest if he turned Amelia down he’d never hear the end of it. She kisses him softly, the feeling familiar and foreign all at the same time as her fingers work open the buttons of his pajama shirt. It’s been a long time since she’s kissed him like this, the prolonged pressure of her lips awakening something inside him and he lets his hands thread back into her hair, the shortness of the locks startling him slightly but then he remembers she isn’t the one with long hair. He tries to shake the thought away, his tongue swiping at her bottom lip as the softness of her palms spread over his chest, parting his shirt and his tongue surges past her lips.

 

“Mmmm,” she hums, worming herself away from him, “Justin!” she exclaims softly, pouting down at him, her nose wrinkled.

 

He pants blinking up at her confused. “What?” he questions, the drumming of his pulse causing her to vibrate in front of his eyes.

 

“You know I don’t like that,” she scolds softly, sitting up straight, her hips pressing down on him again and it takes him a minute to process her words.

 

“You…you don’t?” he questions confused and she looks at him as if he were being ridiculous, shaking her head slowly before dipping down and nuzzling his jaw, her hands sliding down his sides.

 

He stares at the ceiling, confused again and that’s when he remembers it wasn’t Amelia that would always tease his tongue out of his mouth, moan against him when he slid his against hers. He shivers at the memory of her sucking lightly on his tongue as his fingers slipped between her legs, moaning at the feel of her flooded center, ready for him, wanting him so badly.

 

His body jerks and Amelia chuckles against his throat, kissing his Adam’s apple as it bobs, breaking out into a thin sweat. He shouldn’t be thinking about that, shouldn’t even let it cross his mind, not when he has Amelia right here on top of him. His fingers reach around her, nails clawing at the hooks of the corset, trying to get it open and she huffs.

 

“You’re going to rip it,” she scolds softly, sitting back and reaching behind her, wiggling and twisting in his lap, trying to get it undone.

 

“I want it off you,” he replies lowly and she looks down at him, a satisfied smirk pulling at her lips, preening a little under his anxious gaze.

 

“I’m sure you do,” she teases, grinning slyly as the fabric loosens around her torso and she brings her arms forward, letting it fall down slowly.

 

Justin bites his lip, the creamy expanse of her skin glittering in the dimness of the room and he’d never really realized before how boney she is. He can see the line of her rib cage from where it dips into her stomach, her hipbones pressing sharply against her skin, bellybutton pulled into a taut line. Her breasts round perfectly up from her rib cage, sitting as if suspended eerily in midair, nipples puckered and pink.

 

“You can do more than stare,” Amelia says lowly, doing a poor job of hiding the smugness in her voice, sticking her chest out a little more and tossing her head to shake her hair out of her eyes.

 

Justin brings his hands up dumbly, almost shocked by the warmth of her skin. For some reason he’d expected her to be cold. He shakes the thought away, his hands smoothing up her sides effortlessly, her skin satin soft and she’s all taut muscle and hard bone instead of plush curves.

 

His hand smoothes around the back of Amelia’s neck, tugging her down and he misses the soft weight of hair against the back of his hand, getting his hands tangled in it as he brings his hands to cup Amelia’s face. He can’t think this way, his mind screams, kissing Amelia hard as his hands slide down her back feeling the notches of her spine before his thumbs reach to hook in her panties. He just needs to be in the moment, stop thinking about the past and feel this with Amelia, his fiancé, the woman he loves.

 

He somehow manages to get her underwear down her legs and she even surprises him by pulling off his pajama pants and boxers. He’s usually the one doing all the work when it comes to sex, all the undressing and the seduction and he takes a moment to appreciate her, watching her press soft kisses against his stomach, forcing the thought of Charlotte’s mouth wrapped around him to the back of his mind. Amelia is trying, reaching out to him and trying to make him feel loved. She’d said herself that she was doing this for him, to bring him out of his funk and for the first time in a long time he understands that she loves him, cares about him and really wants him to be happy.

 

“Hey,” he says softly, reaching down to run a hand through her hair and she looks up at him, her blue eyes glittering like topaz in the semi-darkness. “Come here.”

 

His hand cups the back of her head as she crawls over him, her skin sliding against his and he kisses her, really kisses her, lips sucking and pulling at hers drawing a hard shiver from her. She’s panting against his mouth, her hands planted against his chest and he lets his hands slide down over her shoulders, fingers curling around her arms as they drag down to her waist and he grips her hips. He gasps as he pulls her down against him, her center warm and damp causing him to twitch hard. Grabbing handfuls of her ass he moans against her mouth, situating her so that he presses against her entrance.

 

“Justin,” she says breathlessly, pushing at his chest, her movements slightly frantic. “The condom.”

 

It’s like a cold slap in the face the way she scrambles up to hover over his lower belly, keeping away from his dick at what seems like all costs. Anger burns hot inside him, his head flopping back against the pillows and he sighs.

 

“ Amelia... we're fucking engaged,” he spits before he can think to stop himself and winces as her nails curl in sharply against his chest.

 

“Justin you know how irritated I get down there when you get it on me,” she complains exasperatedly and he brings a hand up, pinching the bridge of his nose in frustration. “It’s never been a problem before.”

 

“No,” he says with a sigh, “no I guess it hasn’t.”

 

“Well…” she says after a moment and he looks up at her, finding her looking at him expectantly.

 

Of course, he should have known, he thinks twisting his body as he tries to reach for the bedside drawer. It seems her seduction only goes as far as not having any skin to skin contact below his navel. He tears the condom open, tossing the wrapper aside and ignoring her frown as the foil square falls to the floor. He gives her hip a soft nudge and she scoots back to sit on his thighs, watching as he slides the sheath down his shaft, pinching the tip.

 

“You know it wouldn’t kill you to do this every once in awhile,” he says before he can stop himself and her eyes meet his, narrowing slightly before she crawls to hover over his lap once again.

 

“But you’re so much better at it than me,” she teases and it wouldn’t piss him off so bad if he didn’t know she was patronizing him.

 

“What because you don’t have a dick you can’t put on a condom,” he pushes and her mouth falls open before snapping shut and he’s somewhat amused at her attempt to control her temper.

 

“Are we gonna do this,” she asks, leaning over him and bringing her hips down so that the tip of him nestles in her folds, “or do you want to argue with me some more?”

 

He looks up at her, fighting the roll of his eyes as he nods shortly, hands moving to her hips to guide her as she begins her descent down. Her chest rumbles softly, her eyelids fluttering closed at pleasure he can’t feel. The feeling of skin on skin had spoiled him, nothing between them and the pleasure had been so intense, feeling warm wet heat squeezing at him.

 

He grits his teeth against the memory, fingernails digging into Amelia’s skin and he pulls her hips down the rest of the way, her body settling flush against his. She cries out, face twisting in pain and she leans forward to alleviate some of the pressure from her pelvis allowing him to slip out.

 

“Careful,” she chides, her fingernails digging half moons into his shoulders and he nods, squeezing her hip apologetically as the other hand goes between them to guide him back in.

 

Memories flicker through his mind in flashes, the past and present blurring as pleasure flutters through his groin, eyes hazily watching as Amelia lifts and lowers her body over him, her arms locked against his chest. He craves the widening of her legs, wanting her to dip down low and take him deeper and deeper until he hits her spot. He wants her thighs to tremble, her hips to roll against him hard as her body sucks at his begging for his release through her own. She hums softly, her hips searching for a comfortable rhythm and he just lets his hands smooth up and down her thighs, trying to concentrate on her, forcing himself to focus so his mind doesn’t wander.

 

Amelia’s skin is flawless, an even golden brown not a freckle or stray hair to be found. Her lips are full and soft, her tongue snaking out to wet them, the ultimate seduction, her face delicate, her body proportioned and tight. She is every man’s fantasy, a body like hers, a face like hers… so watching her bring a hand from her neck down to cup her breast, rolling her nipple between her fingers should drive him right to the edge. But he wants her hands all over him, fingers grappling for his skin. He wants her to gently guide his hands where she wants them, not the pushy way she’s pulling his hand from her thigh and placing it on the heavy globe of her breast. He wants her hands to go to his face when he gets it right and he wants her head to tip back in a sigh or a moan, the ultimate kind of positive reinforcement.

 

“Justin!” Amelia exclaims and the harshness of her tone startles him. “Did you hear me?”

 

“Huh?” he says, shaking his head in a daze and Amelia’s hips stop, reminding him that he actually was getting some amount of friction.

 

“What is wrong with you?” she asks, her breath slightly labored and she looks down at him, her brow furrowed and he has that odd feeling of being x-rayed.

 

“Nothing,” he says quickly, blinking hard as his hands smooth up her sides. “Don’t stop baby.”

 

She eyes him skeptically, letting her nails drag sharply down his chest in warning before resuming her slow rocking, a soft hum pulling from her lips. Justin lets his hands run all over her, down her arms and up again, fingers wrapping around the back of his neck. He keeps his eyes open even when the pleasure sinks in enough to cause them to want to close, holding her face in the forefront of his mind even though the memories are crawling at the edges. Her hips are jerking quicker now, the friction finally building enough against the latex so that his breathing is becoming uneven.

 

Amelia hums again, her palm pressing flat against his chest for more leverage and his hand covers hers over his heart, wanting so badly for this to be better, wishing that there was something he could do but he’s at a loss, watching her head tip back, a gasp pulling from her throat and the muscles of her stomach clench and release as her orgasm washes through her. Her hips slow and his body is stuck between wanting release and just being thankful it’s almost over. What the hell is wrong with him?

 

“Are you close?” she asks in a way that makes Justin mentally cringe, her voice slightly strained, her hips still moving slow and there’s no way he’s going to get there with the pace she’s setting.

 

He hums, a noncommittal sound and reaches for her hips, listening to her gasp as he pulls her under him, tugging her legs to wrap around his waist. She wiggles trying to settle but he doesn’t give her the chance, hips beginning a steady rhythm that makes his eyelids flutter. She’s hissing underneath him, pushing at his shoulders trying to get comfortable and he grits his teeth, slowing his pace and after a moment she sighs, arms snaking around his neck. She’s into it now, heels pressing into the backs of his thighs and he can’t remember the last time she gave him the opportunity to give her two but his orgasm has slipped under the surface again and he’s exhausted over the idea of striving for it again.

 

Amelia’s nails drag down his back before gripping his biceps, the pads of her fingers pressing hard into his flesh and he watches as she arches her back, her mouth falling open. She gives the tiniest of squeaks, her orgasm making her shudder and go limp, her body stretching languidly as her arms drape over his shoulders in that way that lets him know she’s completely spent. So he does the only thing he can think of, knowing this is over. He presses his face into her neck and moans, his hips giving one final shove and he lays still over her, forcing breath in and out of his lungs in a labored way that he hopes is convincing.

 

It must be because Amelia sighs against his ear, her hands sliding down to grip his shoulders for a moment before smoothing them down his chest as he pulls back from her a little, trying not to look guilty. She smiles up at him, a hand cupping his face and his eyes close, shame and remorse weighing on him like lead.

 

“Feel better now?” she questions softly and Justin can’t help the chuckle that pulls from his throat.

 

“Uh…yeah babe,” he replies and he’s taken off guard when she nuzzles her nose against his sweetly, her lips brushing his before kissing him gently.

 

“Good,” she says with a sigh and then pats his shoulders and that’s his cue, rolling off of her, moving to sit on the edge of the bed, his feet dangling over the side. He jumps when she runs a hand down his back.

 

“I’m just gonna go clean up,” he mumbles pushing himself up off the bed and hurrying into the bathroom, doing his best to hide his still raging hard-on.

 

He pushes the door closed behind him, running his hands over his head in frustration as he leans back against it. He rests his head against the cool wood of the door, staring up at the ceiling and marveling at the turn of events. Amelia actually seduced him, let the sex last longer than ten minutes and he couldn’t even get there. Had she done any one of those things not even six months ago he would have lost his shit in two thrusts.

 

He growls in frustration, reaching down to rip the condom off and tosses it in the trashcan violently, wanting very badly to hit something but the thud would most likely just draw unwanted questions. He glances at himself in the large mirror over the sinks and he barely recognizes the person staring back at him. His body is hard and lean from rigorous weight training and protein diets all for the wedding and he has to admit this is the best he’s looked in years, maybe ever. But his face is drawn and careworn, lines drawn deep around his mouth and across his forehead. His skin is sallow and his eyes are dull and he doesn’t want to know this man that’s standing in front of him and he certainly doesn’t want to be him. He wants to be the man that can make love to his fiancé without incident and unfettered with thoughts of other women. Well, it wasn’t women plural he consoles himself. It was just one.

 

He rests his hands against the edge of the counter, his head hanging low and his dick seems to stare right back at him, reminding him that things like this just don’t go away by themselves. He grinds his teeth, stepping over in front of the toilet and is almost embarrassed as he takes himself in his hand. He gives a slow stroke, testing the waters and sighs as a dull ripple of pleasure pulls through him. His hand moves faster as his mind wanders, the pull in his groin coming sharp as he summons his last memory of him and Charlotte, her head thrown back in pleasure, the cords in her neck pulling taut as she somehow found a way to keep herself from screaming as she clenched around him over and over.

 

His hand flies out, supporting himself against the wall when his knees weaken, mouth falling open in a silent moan as he comes in short bursts, turning the bowl water milky in places. He feels disgusted with himself as he flushes, stepping to the sink to wash his hands and a feeling of deflated hollowness seeps deep into his bones, much the same feeling he had two months ago when he’d told Charlotte no for the first time. The look on her face had quickly gone from shock to understanding and with one look they’d both decided that it wasn’t going to happen again.

 

And it hasn’t.

 

And he hasn’t had a decent night’s sleep since.

 

He shakes his head, drying his hands and slipping back into the bedroom. Amelia is lying on her side facing him as he enters the room, the blankets pulled up to her chest, her lashes fanning out perfectly against her cheekbones and she looks peaceful and sated, as beautiful as always. He ducks his head, hurrying around to his side of the bed where he finds his pajamas and a clean pair of underwear folded for him, his heart breaking slightly as he picks them up and puts them on. He flicks out the light, climbing in behind Amelia, pressing a soft kiss to her cheek before retreating back to his side of the bed where he rests his head on his pillow and prays for sleep to come.

 

***

 

“Baby I just can’t tell you how happy I am to have you home,” Lynn says, practically beaming as she sets a steaming plate of scrambled eggs in front of her son.

 

Justin looks up at her, giving her a smile that can only best be described as weak and picks up his fork slowly, nudging at his food. This was a bad idea. How could he have possibly thought that flying home two weeks before the wedding would be a good idea? He must have lost his mind. Sane people don’t roll out of their beds at two o’clock in the morning, pack as quietly as possible so as not to wake their sleeping fiancé and take a redeye to their hometown. He needs to get more sleep, that’s all he needs. He’d think more clearly if he could just fucking sleep.

 

“Are you sure you don’t want pancakes too? Or toast?” Lynn presses, sitting next to him at the table and Justin hears the rustle of his father’s newspaper trying to mask him as he clears his throat and Lynn sits straighter.

 

“I’m fine Mom,” Justin says, taking a bite of his eggs, burning his mouth slightly but he swallows anyway.

 

“It wouldn’t be any trouble-”

 

“I can’t eat pancakes,” he says dully, reaching for the salt and shaking some onto his eggs even though he doesn’t really care how they taste. “I’ll throw off my training.”

 

“Well,” Lynn says, placing a hand on his arm and glancing from him to his father and then whispering. “I think you’ll be fine. One stack of pancakes can’t hurt.”

 

“Really,” Justin insists, forcing another smile as he shovels eggs into his mouth. “I’m fine.”

 

He’s chewing slowly, nudging the remainder of his food around on his plate so he misses the look that Lynn shoots at Paul who is regarding him curiously around the side of his newspaper. They are both wondering what their son is doing in their house at nine a.m. on a Thursday, looking haggard and worn, lines drawn deeply into his handsome face. Lynn pulls her eyes from her husband’s to regard Justin, reaching up to run her hand through the short fuzz of his hair, trying to curl even though it’s far too short.

 

“I know your grandparents will be happy to see you,” Lynn says, her voice a little strained as she studies him carefully. “Although you came when it was just about time to cut the grass.”

 

Justin groans letting his head fall back and Lynn smiles. He’d made that deal with his grandmother nearly three years ago, a few of her recipes in exchange for him cutting the grass when he was home to do it. He’d managed to avoid it for the most part, coming in winter or early spring but it seems now he would have to make good on his promise.

 

“You must be really busy with the wedding,” his mother says, forcing a smile into her voice and she thinks she sees him cringe. “It’s nice you found the time to come home.”

 

“I always make time for you Momma,” he says, forking more food into his mouth and Lynn smiles even though he’s placating her, years of watching him schmooze on interviews having trained him well.

 

“Is…is everything alright?” she asks him softly and he nods, still shoving more food in his mouth. “Did something happen with…” she pauses chancing a look at Paul whose brow furrows in displeasure. “the wedding.”

 

“No,” Justin says simply, picking up a piece of bacon and biting into it. “Everything’s fine. Operation wedding has gone into hyperdrive.” He chuckles quickly before clearing his throat to mask the hollowness of the sound.

 

“You just…” Lynn starts, looking at him with drawn brows and pursed lips. She sighs folding her arms on the table. “You just seem really sad.”

 

Justin laughs, looking at his mother and shaking his head, looking down quickly because he can’t stand the worry in her eyes. “You sound just like Amelia.”

 

Because he’s busy pushing his food around on his plate, Justin fails to notice the indignation on his mother’s face when he says these words. “You look tired, baby,” she says softly, reaching up to brush her fingers through his hair again, noting the gray coming in at his temples. “You’re too thin.”

 

“Mother I’m fine,” he snaps finally, looking up at her and she can see the annoyance in his eyes and something else, panic maybe? Helplessness? “I’m sorry,” he apologizes looking down and sighing. “I haven’t been sleeping well,” he admits finally and simply saying the words lifts a weight from his chest. “I think it’s just all this wedding hoopla.” He waves his fork disinterestedly.

 

“Yeah the big day is coming up,” Lynn says with forced enthusiasm and she watches him swallow hard, sighing as she gives another longing look at Paul who only looks sternly back at her. She looks back at Justin helplessly. “Has…has Amelia had her final fitting?” Justin nods, his shoulders tensing as he chews his food slowly. “I never saw her final choice. Did she change it since the one that was in the papers?”

 

“Yeah,” Justin says, tugging at the neck of his t-shirt, wriggling his shoulders. “Its some ballroom thing now. Big, lots of beading.”

 

“I’m sure it’s beautiful,” Lynn says and Justin nods. “Did she confirm that band you had wanted for the reception?”

 

Justin shifts. “No…no we’re going with an orchestra instead.”

 

Lynn frowns. “Oh…I thought you’d really wanted that band. You were so excited about it on the phone-”

 

“I was,” Justin cuts her off sharply and then takes a deep breath. “But the orchestra will be better.”

 

“It will?” Lynn asks confused. “How so?”

 

“I don’t know Mother it just will,” Justin snaps and he hears Paul’s paper rustle down.

 

“Watch your tone son,” he warns before disappearing behind it again and Justin nods, looking at his mother apologetically.

 

“Amelia wanted the orchestra,” he says softly, shoveling more food into his mouth, hoping that all those times his mother had chided him on not speaking with his mouth full will stop her from asking questions.

 

“Well what about what you want?” Lynn asks softly, reaching to hold his wrist and he lets his head fall back, swallowing.

 

“It doesn’t matter,” he grumbles, wishing for once that his mother would take the hint and stop prodding.

 

“It does too matter,” Lynn says, her voice indignant and he looks up to see fire in her eyes. “This is as much your wedding as it is hers!”

 

“Mom,” Justin says and then sighs, his eyes flicking to his father as he tries to get his tone in check. “Its too late okay. Everything is already set up. I’m stuck with it okay?” he winces at his poor choice of words. “It’s going to be beautiful,” he says, drudging up his most winning smile. “That’s all that matters.”

 

“No that’s not all that matters,” Lynn insists and Paul ruffles his newspaper again but she ignores him. “It needs to be what you want son.”

 

“It is what I want!” Justin exclaims in frustration and ducks his head quickly before Paul even has a chance to glance around his paper. “Sorry…” he clears his throat and saying more softly, “It is what I want.”

 

“Justin…” she says and pauses, debating.

 

She watches him nudge the remainder of his food around his plate, his fingernails ragged and bit down to the quick. He has deep black circles pitted under his eyes and his cheekbones press sharply against his sallow skin. She’s tired of seeing him this way, sick of watching him get beaten down over and over again. She raised him to be the kind of man that honored his commitments, drilling it into him from a very young age that you don’t walk out and you don’t give up when things get hard. She didn’t want him to be like his father, the sperm donor as she had spent Justin’s whole life calling him. She never dreamed that it would come to something like this. So it’s guilt as much as love that causes her to reach for his arm, holding it until he looks up at her and she softly says:

 

 “Honey you don’t have to do this if you don’t want to.”

 

Justin looks at her guardedly, shaking his head at her and he doesn’t want to talk about it; he never has. His relationship with Amelia had always been a mystery to Lynn probably because she’d always assumed that she was just a fling, a little fun to be had for a while until Justin found a better match. She’d never dreamed that her son could be tamed by a New York princess, but not only did she tame him, she put him on a leash so short he never left the porch.

 

“If you’re having doubts or anything at all Justin you just tell me,” she pushes unable to stop herself, looking fervently into his face but all she sees is him ratcheting tighter and tighter. “You tell your mama and we will call this whole thing off-”

 

“Lynn,” Paul says gruffly as Justin’s fork falls to his plate with a clatter, resting the palms of his hands against the edge of the table and for a minute they both think he’s going to get up and leave. But all he does is take a deep breath and shake his head, picking up his fork again and resuming eating.

 

“I will,” Lynn insists looking at her husband. She turns back to Justin. “Baby you just say the word and I will call up there and-”

 

“Mom!” Justin exclaims, his voice echoing harshly off the walls and his mother’s mouth snaps shut. “You’re being ridiculous just stop.”

 

“Justin you are a good man. Calling this off isn’t going to change that,” Lynn insists, reaching up to touch his face and he jerks away from her touch, the action cutting her to the bone.

 

“I know that. I said I was fine,” he spits before setting his fork down and shoving his plate away, his stomach suddenly rolling.

 

“Lynn leave the boy alone,” Paul says, looking at her exasperatedly over the top of his newspaper and Lynn glares back at him before reaching for Justin’s hand sitting on the table, covering it with hers.

 

“You can’t do this if it doesn’t feel right, Justin,” Lynn says softly, leaning towards him and he snatches his hand away from hers, his shoulder twitching hard, trying to mask it by rolling his neck and looking out the window over the backyard. “You can’t…” she trails not even finishing as she takes in the set of his jaw, the blankness of his face. He’s shut down.

 

Tears fill her eyes and she pushes back from the table, sniffling as she stands and Justin’s eyes close at the sound, trying to block it out. He never could handle seeing his mother cry. It was as if their tear ducts were hard wired together and if she started so did he and the other way around. And because of this very fact she hurries from the room, leaving a deafening silence in her wake.

 

“I do love her,” Justin says, almost impulsively and he glances over at his father who is lowering his newspaper, setting it on the table. “I do.”

 

“I never said you didn’t,” Paul replies, eyes still roaming over the page but Justin knows he has his full attention. It’s been this way ever since he was a teenager, when talking about personal things got harder for him because of everyone always striving to know everything about him. Giving the allusion that Justin was merely talking aloud to himself was the greatest thing Paul could have ever done for his son.

 

“I love her I just…” he trails, Charlotte’s face crawling into his consciousness and he shakes it away, reaching up to rub his burning eyes.

 

“Just what?” Paul asks and Justin wishes he had just shut up.

 

“It’s just cold feet,” Justin says, falling back on the old standby and Paul smiles nodding his head knowingly. “It’s gonna be fine. It’s okay.”

 

“I never said it wasn’t,” he says shake out his paper. “Happens to the best of us.”

 

Justin eyes him for a second. “Were you nervous when you married Mom?” he asks quietly and Paul glances at him before nodding.

 

“I was,” he states simply and then glancing at his son he adds, “It was a lot to take on. Not only was I marrying your mother but I was adopting a son too.” A smile tugs at Justin’s lips. “You can’t take something like that lightly and heavy decisions like that are bound to make any man nervous. But I knew I loved your mother and I knew I loved you. There was no one else could fathom myself with.”

 

“Me either,” Justin replies somewhat spastically and Paul’s eyes pull from his paper to regard his son curiously, skeptically and Justin does his best to hold his eyes, feeling even worse for lying to his father.

 

Except he isn’t technically lying because he wouldn’t rather be with Charlotte. At least he doesn’t think so. The wall around his heart trembles and now he knows coming here was the worst thing he could have done. He’s packed all this away, boxed it up and put it in the back of his mind where he was content to keep it. Charlotte is now nothing but Amelia’s assistant and his colleague, a friend he would tentatively say but only tentatively because he can’t allow any of those old feelings to escape their boxes.

 

“How’s Charlotte?” Paul asks nonchalantly and Justin swallows hard.

 

“I dunno,” he says and the honesty hurts him. He really doesn’t know.

 

“You don’t see her anymore?”

 

A fleeting memory of her passing him in the lobby of Amelia’s office building, her dark hair swinging as she meandered through the crowd, how he’d stopped dead in his tracks for a full ten seconds.

 

“No,” he says simply, even though the misery in his voice is evident to his father.

 

“Why not?” Paul asks turning the page in his newspaper.

 

It’s amazing how easy it is to avoid each other when you’re both working at it.

 

“We’ve both been busy,” he says, fingers picking at a loose string on the placemat beside him, biting on his bottom lip slowly. “I mean she’s Amelia’s assistant, not mine.”

 

“What’s she been up to?” his father asks and Justin cringes, the sutchers in his heart tearing at the seams and he doesn’t want to be having this conversation.

 

“I dunno, taking online classes, hanging out with Felicity,” Justin says waving a hand before crossing his arms over his chest and Paul looks up at him.

 

“Felicity? That little redheaded girl that works for you?” Paul asks and Justin nods, watching his father’s eyebrows raise before coughing out a laugh. “They don’t exactly seem the types to run in the same crowd.”

 

A ghost of a smile tugs at Justin’s lips, the feeling foreign to him. “Yeah, I guess it seemed odd to me too but…” Justin sighs, his memory drudging up all of the idle chatter he’d tried to ignore, Felicity’s face lighting up as she gave the blow by blow of the weekends events, including the information that Charlotte is a very good dancer. “They seemed to hit it off. Surprisingly they have a lot in common.” They must; Charlotte has been going out with Fee and her friends every weekend for over a month now.

 

“Like what?” Paul asks evenly and Justin winces, his heart tearing a little more as he remembers everything he’d tried to ignore.

 

“Shopping, lunch,” Justin says dismissively and as he examines his fingernails he mumbles, “out to the bars, you know…s-single girl stuff.”

 

“Hmmm,” Paul hums and Justin looks up at his father, finding his face set in a look of contemplative curiosity.

 

“What?” Justin asks, his heartbeat increasing for reasons he doesn’t quite understand until Paul looks at him and says:

 

“So she’s still single then?”

 

Justin looks down into his lap, his teeth grinding slightly as he crushes one hand in the other and utters the words that have been killing him for over a month now. “I don’t know.”

 

His father heaves a sigh. “Justin, if Charlotte is the o-”

 

“Dad I really don’t wanna talk about all this okay?” he says, shaking his head. “I came here because…because I just wanna get my head on straight,” he swallows hard looking down into his lap again. “I’m not saying that I’m having doubts,” he adds quickly. “I just…this…this is a huge thing that’s happening in a couple weeks. I mean…fuck I’m getting married,” he says and Paul bites back everything he was going to say because the look on his son’s face is nothing short of absolute terror.

 

“You just need some time to think,” Paul says and Justin looks up at his father, his eyes helpless and scared and he nods, a reluctant movement of his head.

 

The last thing he needs is time to think, he broods but he can’t help but wonder if that was the point of this whole trip all along. He’d been sleepwalking through the last several months, plowing through daily life in an effort just to get it all over with and he hasn’t been happy. Not in a long time. So sitting here with his father at the kitchen table he grew up at he finally allows himself to ponder just what it might mean if he were to choose something different, to choose…someone different.

 

And just like that every moment with Charlotte comes flooding back, the dam he’d constructed around the memories breaking and he’s drowning in it. The day they’d met, that cute giggle at one of his lame ass jokes. That first business lunch together when she’d given him support and encouragement. When he’d broken down in front of her about Amelia, told her everything and confided in her and she’d tried to help him through it, again encouraging and guiding him. How beautiful she’d looked at his birthday party and the aftermath of that. Their first kiss in the stairwell, her mouth soft and warm against his and that first time in his office and then every time after that. It all crashes over him and he puts his elbows on the table, putting his head in his hands and tries to breathe. He’s getting married in two weeks and he chooses now to wonder if he may be with the wrong person. There has got to be a cure for this kind of terminal idiocy.

 

“Son,” Paul says softly but Justin doesn’t look up at him, afraid that he may have some kind of breakdown if he does. “I’m not gonna harp on you okay? You have to be patient with your mother, she’s just worried. And so am I which is why I’m going to say this and it’s the only time I‘m gonna say it.”

 

He pauses and Justin waits, staring down at the wood grain of the table, shifting restlessly in his chair. He hears his father sigh.

 

“Someday someone will walk into your life and you'll realize why it never worked out with anyone else,” Paul says softly and Justin’s eyes close as tears prick at him hard. “Sometimes you have to lose something to get something better.”

 

Justin’s brows furrow, looking up at his father who is staring at him steadily, meaningfully now and he thinks he understands, his chest lightening considerably. Sometimes you have to lose something to get something better. Maybe he’s been so miserable because he hasn’t really let go of this thing with Charlotte yet. And now that he’s being honest with himself he really hasn’t let her go. Avoiding every thought of her and avoiding every chance encounter isn’t letting go, its just being a coward. He winces. No, if he’s going to make this thing work with Amelia he needs to really let go and that’s what he’s going to do.

Chapter 29 by SomethingBlue42
Author's Notes:
Okay folks here you go. I calculated it out and we have EIGHT chapters after this one. *excitedomg* So we're in the home stretch. That being said I'm in my last quarter of my senior year of school and I can tell my life is about to get really hectic really quick so I have NO idea when the next one is coming. I will be writing though! It just may take me forever to get a chapter out. So sorry in advance for that hahaha. Enjoy!

Shelby Forest, Tennessee is not the kind of place that changes much. Nestled in the heart of Meeman-Shelby Forest State Park it’s green and lush, two lane roads winding this way and that around mammoth cypress trees and mossy rocks. It’s a blink and you miss it kind of place, a few stop signs, a gas station and a general store, a place where recreation is hunting and fishing and making babies. It’s slow and languid like any small southern town, people wave when they pass on the highway and everyone knows everybody’s business whether you’re late for church or drying out in county jail.

 

Justin has never given much thought to the integral part his hometown played in his upbringing, but today he’s feeling a little nostalgic as he winds the Escalade through the forest, retracing all the old roads that his internal map has never lost. He has nowhere to be and no destination in mind, just a full tank of gas, a troubled heart and a mind that won’t quit, sleep as far away as ever. He’d wanted to lay down after breakfast, finally feeling like maybe he could sleep, wouldn’t even let his mother change the sheets, just climbed the stairs to his old room, pulled the comforter back and let himself fall face first into the blankets. One breath and he was wide awake again, the clean simple scent of Charlotte’s skin surrounding him and he’d forgotten she’d slept here at Christmas. God that was so long ago but her smell lingered, as trapped in the fabric of his sheets as it is in the fabric of his mind.

 

His mother had protested when he’d come back down wearing clean clothes but still feeling rusty and worn. She’d fussed and demanded he march right back up those stairs but after one tired, broken look from him she’d let him go. He’s not sure what he’s looking for or where he’s going, he just knows that he wants to keep moving. If he keeps moving maybe he can outrun everything that’s been chasing him over the past few months - Charlotte, Amelia, his job, the wedding, the press – and fatigue will finally set in.

 

Life is chasing him while he chases sleep.

 

You keep running, it’s what you’re good at.

 

He knows it’s no solution, knows that nothing will be solved if he keeps running but-

 

His train of thought cuts off as his phone rings and he checks the front to find Amelia’s name staring back at him. He hits ignore for the third time in the past hour, wishing there was a button in his brain for that sort of thing, guilt nipping at him. He’d left her a note before he’d gone - A, Went home for a few days. Be back soon. Love J - and knows she must be beyond pissed. It really was a shitty thing for him to do, just up and leave in the middle of the night. He hadn’t even kissed her goodbye.

 

He sighs heavily, reaching up to rub his burning eyes, pinching the bridge of his nose hard. He wonders if this is what going crazy feels like, this constant anxiety and frantic need to not stay in one place, to move, to run.

 

He pulls into the next parking lot, stepping out of the car and looking around. It’s so quiet here, the trees tall as skyscrapers and as he looks around, there’s not a soul in sight, the road empty, his the only car in the lot. He pockets his keys, strolling towards the edge of the asphalt and stepping down onto springy grass, surveying the sign denoting the beginning of Chickasaw Bluff Trail, eight miles of nice ups and downs with good views of the Mississippi River. Eight miles is nothing to him now. Amelia had him running ten every other day in preparation for the wedding and it’s only ten o’clock. He could be done in an hour and a half easily, maybe two if the up parts of the ups and downs are particularly brutal. 

 

He’s not exactly dressed for this sort of thing he thinks, bending his leg so he can grab his foot and he feels the muscles pull, loosening a little but not much. He repeats the action with the other before walking back to the car, opening the passenger side door and tugging the polo over his head, his undershirt blinding white in the morning sun. He slips his belt from the loops of his cargo shorts, dropping it in the front seat before shutting the car and clicking the lock, the quiet beep beep echoing through the empty forest, birds chirping back at him. He slips the keys into his pocket, taking long strides back over to the beginning of the trail, stretching a little more but he’s anxious to get going. He needs to move.

 

You keep running, it’s what you’re good at.

 

He takes off like a shot, shoes pounding the woodchips which soon turn to dirt and he’s flying, the wind whipping against his face, his heartbeat thudding loudly in his ears. He’s shooting himself in the foot and he knows it, pushing so hard from the start but he doesn’t care. It feels good to push back, to fight against his body and prevail. This might not be the case for long but right now he’s winning and it feels amazing.

 

He reaches his first downward slope, slowing just slightly but his shoes slide when he tries to stop, the skater tread giving him no traction and he skids down to where the trail evens out again, nearly tumbling head over feet but he doesn’t even take a minute to marvel at how he’s still standing. He rushes around winding bends, the sunlight winking off the Mississippi through the trees and he tries to concentrate on the pull of his muscles, the aching draw of his breath but the thoughts are creeping in, crowding the corners of his weary mind and he tries to force himself faster, pushing his body harder but even as he speeds up his troubles tag along behind him, prodding him and begging him for his attention.

 

His phone trills in his pocket, the little device banging against his thigh but he ignores it, pushing so hard and his knees are killing him, the balls of his feet aching and he’s barely two miles in. He should slow down but he doesn’t want to, wants to keep pushing because he can’t slow down. If he slows down…

 

Sometimes you have to lose something to get something better.

 

He groans, breath hissing through his teeth and he just wants quiet, in his heart and in his mind. That’s what he came all this way for and he petulantly screams at the thoughts in his head to go away, leave him alone, he’s had enough. But his problems are like a prime fighter, relentless and uncaring beating him senselessly even though he’s down on the mat.

 

He and Amelia have been having problems for a long time, longer than he’s even willing to admit now. A lot of it is his own fault, letting himself be walked upon and chastised and torn down. He remembers the very first time she’d screeched at him senselessly, her mouth spitting things that hurt him so desperately and all he could do was press his phone to his ear and listen. She’d wanted him with her, she was tired of red eye flights and navigating the time differences. He’d been in Louisiana and his filming had just wrapped, he’d only called because he was happy, feeling accomplished and wanted to hear her voice. He hadn’t meant to wake her up and he didn’t mean to upset her by once again reminding her of his absence. She’d hung up on him and he’d gotten on a plane. Looking back on it he wonders how differently things would have been if he’d just let her walk instead of chasing her down, coming to her with flowers and an apology.

 

If he had he would have never met Charlotte.

 

His phone trills again and he growls, skidding to a stop and the aches and pains that he’d been ignoring slam into him full force, making him groan in quiet agony, the pain making him irritable. He shoves his hand into his pocket angrily, fingers pulling at the little phone and flipping it open, not even bothering with the caller ID.

 

“Hello,” Justin barks, bending over at the waist and trying to pull air into his lungs, breath rasping harshly against the receiver and he can hear himself wheezing and crackling on the line.

 

“Dude…” Trace’s voice wafts through the line and Justin can barely hear it over the thudding of his heart. He needs to sit down. “You should be careful wackin off like that you’ll give yourself a heart attack.”

 

“I was… running,” Justin says, his speech halted by his labored breathing, letting himself fall backwards, leaning against a rock next to the trail.

 

“Sure you were,” Trace replies, playful condescension in his voice. “Your mom called.” Justin rolls his eyes. “Shoulda said you were comin home man we coulda hung out.”

 

“Where are you?” Justin asks, letting his eyes close as he rests his head back against the cool boulder, sweat trickling down the back of his neck.

 

“LA,” Trace says and Justin hears the rustling of papers in the background. “looking over shit for that swimwear line you wanted. Could you be a bigger pain in my ass?”

 

An unwilling smile pulls at Justin’s lips. “It’s a good idea.”

 

“Yeah, yeah,” Trace grumbles and he hears the scratching of a pen and more movement of paper.

 

“Just think about how when we get it designed and comped,” Justin says reaching up to wipe a hand over his sweaty face. “You’ll get to pick the models.”

 

The line is silent for a moment. “See this is why you’re the big business man J you think shit through,” Trace says and Justin can see the grin on his best friends face.

 

“I’m not big business,” Justin says modestly but it comes out more petulant than he intended.

 

“Right,” Trace says. “How’s life? You preparing yourself for the epicness that will be your bachelor party?”

 

Justin chuckles. “Why do you think I’m working out?”

 

“Dude jacking off is not working out,” Trace teases and Justin rolls his eyes. “Unless you’re trying to get yourself ready for the big night. Can’t pop too soon on the wedding night. Its like bad luck or some shit.”

 

Justin winces. “Not a problem,” he says and then adds half-heartedly. “for me anyway. She may have trouble controlling herself.”

 

Trace laughs. “Don’t even play she hasn’t let you at that pussy in weeks.”

 

It’s Justin’s turn to laugh but there’s no humor in it. “You’d be surprised.”

 

“Would I?”

 

“Jumped me last night.”

 

Trace’s laugh barks through the line, loud and uncontrolled. “And she ran you clean out the state!”

 

“Shut up Trace,” Justin growls and the laughter goes quiet, the line silent for a moment.

 

“I was just kidding man,” Trace says softly and Justin presses his thumb and forefinger into his eyes, pinching the bridge of his nose.

 

“Yeah,” he says tiredly.

 

“You sound wiped,” Trace says cautiously. “I haven’t heard you sound this shitty since back in the day when you were doing five shows a week.”

 

“I’m in the middle of running eight miles,” Justin replies and he can feel the muscles in his legs threaten to curl. He crawls gingerly to his feet, stretching his muscles carefully to avoid a cramp.

 

“Give your dick a break dude,” Trace teases and Justin rolls his eyes.

 

“You’re one to talk about jacking off asshole,” Justin spits, but laughs at the end despite himself.

 

“Hey I don’t have time,” Trace says. “I can’t even get my hand around it before Ginger’s on top of my ass. ‘Course I’ve always had trouble getting my hand around it…hand’s just too small.”

 

Justin laughs. “More like you can’t fucking find it.” He sniggers at his own cleverness. “How is Ginger?”

 

“She’s great,” Trace says and Justin denotes the way his voice changes from teasing to tender and a pang of jealousy pulls in his chest. “She’s freaking out about getting you guys a wedding gift. I keep telling her we’re getting you some Astroglide for your solo missions but she don’t listen to shit.”

 

Justin rolls his eyes. “Thoughtful.”

 

“I am nothing if not thoughtful,” Trace replies airily. “Hey how’s Charlotte?”

 

Her name is like a punch in the gut, catching him off guard and causing him to go surly. “Why does everyone keep asking me that? How would I know?”

 

The line is silent. “Well last time I checked ya’ll were friends…”

 

“Yeah and when was the last time you checked, Trace?” Justin snaps before he can think better of it.

 

“Hey I quit calling because all it did was cause your ass trouble with the soon-to-be missus, dickwad,” Trace spits back and Justin growls.

 

“Whatever,” Justin bristles and looks around annoyed. “I gotta go. I need to finish this run.”

 

“Yeah you do that,” Trace replies angrily and Justin doesn’t even say goodbye, just snaps his phone shut and his feet are kicking back woodchips before the guilt has a chance to catch up.

 

 

 

***

 

The afternoon sun beats down ruthlessly on Justin’s bare shoulders, sweat trickling down his spine, his back aching as he reaches for a particularly stubborn weed near his grandmother’s azalea bush. He can feel his scalp burning, his skin stinging as he tosses the clump of dirt and stringy roots into his basket and stops to press a dirty finger to his bicep watching the skin go white and then fade back to red under the smudge of earth he’d left on his skin

 

He’d finished the mowing about an hour ago and then went ahead and weed-eated around the trees and picnic tables in the backyard. Now the sun is high in the sky, the early June heat baking his skin and he knows he should probably go in to put on some more sun block but he’s almost done with this bed. He sighs, wiping his forehead with the back of his hand and there’s something oddly comforting about manual labor, the way it makes him unable to concentrate on anything but the fatigue of his muscles and the ache in his fingers. He likes the idea that if he pushes himself hard enough he’ll be so tired by the end of it he’ll fall into bed and sleep for days. Or at least that’s the goal anyway.

 

“Justin!”

 

He looks up at the sound of his name, finding his grandfather striding towards him. Billy Bomar is a tall man, his six foot two frame stretching long and straight despite his age. He’s surprisingly lanky for a man of eighty-two, his movements fluid and easy as opposed to the jerky amble most men his age were prone to do. His Carhart work boots have seen better days, the toes dirty and cracked, laces pulled tight before they disappeared under his worn jeans, William Rast by the looks of them, from their first season. His olive button down shirt is pressed and clean, buttoned all the way to the neck even though it’s nearly ninety degrees, his silver hair neat and sleek. He has a glass of lemonade in his hand.

 

“Hey Papa,” Justin says, looking back down and grabbing for another weed and he feels the coolness of his shadow as his grandfather stands next to him.

 

“Boy you’re gonna be crispy as a fritter if you don’t put a shirt on,” he says and Justin feels a smile tug at his reluctant lips.

 

“Can’t have any tan lines,” he says tugging hard before reaching for the gardening fork and trying to loosen the soil.

 

“Yeah the big day’s comin up huh?” Billy says and Justin hums non-committally, continuing to dig at the earth, his grandfather’s shadow weighing on him slightly. “Your granny wanted me to bring you this,” Billy says and Justin can hear the ice jingle in the glass.

 

“Oh…thanks,” Justin says, sitting back on the balls of his feet, reaching to take the glass.

 

“Why don’t you take a break,” Billy says and before Justin can protest he’s already making his way over to the picnic table shaded by the large maple tree that Justin and Trace used to climb.

 

This was the part of this trip Justin had been avoiding at all costs. He’d been home nearly five days now, spending the majority of his time out of the house, exploring trails, doing a little fishing and impromptu swimming, smiling politely at the locals when they gawked at him in town. He’d finally summoned the courage to return Amelia’s calls about a day or so in, listening to her rant and rave for the better part of an hour. He’d apologized profusely over and over, skating around her insistence that he come home immediately by telling her about everything he was doing here, how much better he felt just by getting away from the city. He liked to think that she’d stopped arguing finally because he’d told her it was something he needed to do but realizes that it was probably more the promise that he’d be back by the next Wednesday at the very latest.

 

Since then he’d eaten dinner with his parents every night, keeping his eyes on his food and answering their questions about his day with caution, not wanting to be rude but also not wanting to prompt another probe into his life back in New York. It hadn’t come up again but he could tell they--his mother especially--were still concerned but as the days passed he remained closed off and they didn’t push. Some nights they would watch television together, sitcoms and dramas and he’d enjoy the way his father would laugh at the hilarity of dysfunctional families and his mother would gasp at plot twists. He’d gone out a few times, had drinks at some local bars and socialized with college kids home for the summer and blue collar workers just trying to unwind. He’d watch the couples sway to country music on the dance floor and wonder how different his life would have turned out if he hadn’t left this place so young, hadn’t been on that TV show or joined that group. Would he still be right there having a drink at that bar or maybe dancing with a pretty dark haired girl with dimples that only showed up when she smiled.

 

“I say it’s good to have you home boy,” Billy says, clapping Justin lightly on the back as he settles next to him on the bench, and Justin smiles. “The yard hasn’t looked this good in months.”

 

Justin’s chest rumbles in a laugh. “Happy to help.”

 

“Your momma says you’ve been havin’ trouble sleepin’?” he asks and Justin shifts, his back pressing against the table behind him.

 

“Yeah…” he says slowly, watching his fingers thread together, dirt crusted under his nails. Amelia would keel over dead if she saw them. “Just nerves I guess.”

 

His grandfather nods, looking out over the lawn and silence descends on them, making Justin shift. He doesn’t want to just sit here. He’s got a lot to do, put mulch around the trees, fertilize the rose bushes and he still has to weed the flowerbeds on the other side of the house. He downs the rest of his lemonade in one gulp, the coldness making his chest hurt a little as he stands.

 

“Well I better get back to work. Thanks for the-”

 

“Boy you are wound tighter than an eight day clock,” Billy says peering up at him and Justin laughs despite himself. “Sit down.”

 

“I really gotta get these beds finished,” he says, jutting a thumb over his shoulder at the house and Billy eyes him hard.

 

“Sit down, Justin,” he says his voice soft but stern and it’s not a request. Justin purses his lips and even though he’s thirty years old he does as he’s told. “What brings you to our neck of the woods?” he questions and when Justin merely blinks at him he adds, “I only ask because it’s not like you to show up outta the blue.”

 

“Oh…” Justin says, looking down at his hands. “Can’t…can’t I just come home?”

 

“’Course ya can,” Billy says with a deep nod, “But like I said your momma told me you ain’t been sleepin’ so I was thinking maybe something was troubling you…” Billy says and Justin can feel his grandfather’s eyes on him, watching him keenly and Justin sits very still keeping his face blank and calm. “And your heart always longs to be home when it’s troubled.”

 

“I’m not troubled,” Justin replies petulantly and he glances over to find Billy’s eyebrows raised. “Like I said before it’s nerves.”

 

“Mmm,” Billy hums looking out over the yard again. “Marriage isn’t something you just jump into.”

 

“I know that,” Justin says bristling.

 

“You’re promisin’ before God and family to stick with that girl for the rest of your life,” Billy goes on and Justin flashes hot, his vision pulsing with a surge of nervous adrenaline.

 

“Amelia and I have been together for three years, nearly four,” Justin says, his tone slightly argumentative.

 

“Time don’t mean much when it comes to this, son,” Billy says with a sigh. “Doesn’t matter if its three years or thirty if it ain’t right-”


“I love her! Why does everyone keep trying to tell me that I don’t?” Justin says heatedly, his voice raising and Billy looks over at him, his lined face weary and a chill of fear runs down Justin’s spine, just like it always did when he was younger and his mouth had gotten a little ahead of him.

 

“You watch your tone,” Billy warns and Justin dips his head chastised. “I don’t care if you are thirty years old and about to be married I will still bend you over and put the belt to you.”

 

Justin chuckles softly, nodding. “Sorry.”

 

“I didn’t say that you don’t love that little girl,” Billy says looking over at Justin who is looking at his hands again. “God knows you must because she’s a handful.” Justin chuckles, a smile tugging at his lips. “But marriage ain’t something you do because you ought to. Your momma and Randy are livin proof of that.”

 

Justin winces at his honesty, guilt ripping open wounds as old as himself even though he knows it’s not his fault, nothing he could have done differently other than not exist. But that wasn’t his choice and his mother had spent his entire life telling him that while marrying his father was a mistake, he himself was not and he always believed her. She loved him too much for it not to be true.

 

And then before he can stop himself, Justin asks the words he’s been terrified to ask even himself. “You think I’m making a mistake?”

 

His voice is quiet, a cold shiver running through him and he’s too afraid to look at his grandfather’s face, realizing that he’s not too sure he wants to hear the answer to his question.

 

“You wanna know what I think?” Billy asks and Justin blinks slowly, still not daring to look at him, the muscles of his shoulders tight. “I think you rarely gotta go somewhere just to go. I think it's cause there's usually somethin’ runnin’ up on ya,” Billy pauses, surveying his grandson slowly, “or somethin’ that you wish wasn't…”

 

Justin swallows hard, pressing his palms together and watching his fingertips align, his heart thumping unevenly in his chest. His mouth is dry, tongue thick as cotton and that panicked tightness is back in his chest causing his shoulders to hunch as he leans forward to rest his elbows on his knees. He really wants to get back to the flowerbeds, to give his hands something to do, to move.

 

“You’ve always been a runner,” Billy softly says after a moment and Justin peers over at him cautiously. “I don’t know why. We raised you to stand up and take responsibility,” his grandfather nods, looking out over the lawn, hazy in the afternoon sun, “And you have and we’re proud but boy you run.”

 

Justin looks down at his hands, feeling shame far greater than any he’d felt since he was a teenager and had been caught smashing mailboxes with Trace. His grandfather had dealt with him then as well, looking down the wide bridge of his nose at him, fixing him with his steel gray eyes. But there is none of that sternness now, just bafflement, as if he’s confused as to how Justin could have turned out this way. Something that makes Justin feel even worse. He can’t help but wonder how he’d managed to get himself so turned around, how he’d strayed from the confident, successful man, riding on natural talent and honed skills to…whatever the hell he was now, confused and lonely, looking for answers that never seem to come.

 

Billy pulls himself to his feet, breaking Justin’s train of thought and starting him so that he sits back, blinking up at his grandfather. “You gotta decide what you’re gonna do Justin,” Billy says soberly and Justin blinks back up at him, the sun burning his eyes. “You gotta stop running and decide.”

 

And with that Billy turns back towards the house, leaving Justin to stare after him blankly his thoughts as tangled as ever.


Chapter 30 pt 1 by SomethingBlue42
Author's Notes:

WHEW! Okay this one is kinda long. I'll be posting the next chapter in the next few days since its short (for me haha) and its kind of a companion to this one. Enjoy!

 

“… and THEN she fucking freaks out on me because I’m flying ‘all the way to New York for strippers.’ I’m like ‘GINGER! Calm the fuck down.’ Fuckin’ women I swear dude.”

 

Justin laughs watching his best friend growl irritated as he steps off the elevator, hoisting the two cases of beer higher under his arms as he shuffles down the hallway. Justin juggles their duffle bags with the four or five bottles wrapped in brown paper bags, following him with mild amusement.

 

“I thought you said there wasn’t gonna be any strippers,” Justin says and Trace stops mid waddle to give him a withered look over his shoulder.

 

“Please,” Trace scoffs shuffling a little farther before stopping and hoisting the cases higher before taking the last few steps to the only door in the hall. “It’s your bachelor party. Fuck, why did I get stuck with the cases?”

 

“Because it’s my bachelor party,” Justin grins glancing around. “Where’s the key.”

 

Trace groans, letting his head fall back. “My pocket.” His eyes meet Justin’s.

 

“Don’t fuckin’ look at me,” Justin sputters with a laugh and Trace rolls his eyes.

 

“We’ve known each other since fuckin birth, J. Now be a man and put your hand in my pocket.”

 

Justin rolls his eyes, juggling the items in his hands, pinning a few bottles under his arm so he can wiggle his hand into Trace’s back pocket.

 

“What the fuck are you doing?” Trace asks jumping and Justin jumps too, snatching his hand back.

 

“Trying to get the key!” Justin snaps back and Trace rolls his eyes.

 

“It’s in my front pocket you fucking fag.”

 

Justin laughs. “Oh you’re telling me to stick my hand in your front pocket and I’m the fag?”

 

“Just get the goddamn key. These aren’t getting any lighter,” Trace snaps, shifting the cases in his hands and grumbling.

 

Justin sighs as he worms his arm through Trace’s, fingers crawling into his front pocket just as the elevator dings again. He looks over his shoulder and a cold thrill of adrenaline runs through him as he sees Charlotte step off, mumbling to herself and her face goes from weary to shocked as her eyes fall on the two of them. He merely blinks back at her, caught off guard by the sudden quickening of his heart beat and only snaps out of it when she covers her mouth to muffle a high peal of giggles.

 

“What… what are you doing?

 

Its then that he realizes that his hand is still dug in his best friend’s front pocket. He snatches back immediately, nearly knocking the case out of Trace’s hand and putting a good three feet of space between them, his ears tingeing red.

 

“I… I was just… getting the key… you know it was in his pocket and his hands were… were full…”

 

“Justin there’s no sense in hiding it now. She’s seen everything. Might as well call off the wedding,” Trace says with a dramatic sigh. “Hey Charlie,” he adds with a grin and Charlotte giggles at him. “Would you like to help me out here? I’m tired of him playing with my cock and balls.”

 

Charlotte barks out another laugh, hurrying over to them and she leans to pull one of the cases into her arms, letting it thump back against her chest giving a soft “oomph.” Trace groans in relief, curling and uncurling his arm before reaching into his pocket for the key.

 

“You got that okay?” Justin asks, his eyes roving over her and taking her in, getting his first good look at her in weeks.

 

She gives him a shy smile, nodding as Trace kicks the door open and she hurries in after him.

Charlotte looks around, her mouth going slack as Trace moves to hoist his case onto the wet bar to their right. She’s in awe, glancing around at a dining area to her left that’s separated from the expansive sitting area in front of her by a grand piano. The room stretches back and back, the space seeming to go on forever before disappearing into a hallway. The entire space is dappled in afternoon sunlight from atrium style skylights, Time Square bustling fifty stories below.  She shakes her head; every time she thinks she’s seen the epitome of luxury she is always surprised. She thought Justin’s suite in California was nice but-

 

Her train of thought cuts itself off, not wanting to go there but her eyes flick to him on reflex, as he nudges his way past her, his chest brushing her shoulder. He gives her a quick smile as he begins to set the bagged bottles on the bar along with the beer and she smiles back at him, warmth fluttering in her stomach.

 

“You know I was kinda pissed at first when Amelia railroaded my bachelor party pad plan but I gotta admit,” Trace says with a sigh as he steps out into the sitting area and looks around before his eyes fall on Justin and Charlotte again, “this place is pretty fuckin’ awesome. You gonna set that case down or keep cuddlin’ it?”

 

Charlotte looks down at the beer in her arms and giggles sheepishly, moving to hoist it onto the counter, jumping when Justin’s hands brush her arms to aid her. She stands back, tucking her hair behind her ear as he rips into the box, pulling out four beers or so and making his way around the counter to put them in the fridge.

 

“You want a beer?” Trace asks, shuffling back over and pulling one out of the box before Justin can unload it into the fridge.

 

“Oh…” Charlotte says with a chuckle. “No… I’m okay.”

 

“You sure?” Trace asks, popping the top. “There’s plenty.”

 

Charlotte shakes her head, scrunching up her nose as Justin cracks into the other case, starting to load it into the fridge as well.

 

“What brings you here this fine afternoon?” Trace asks, sipping at the can and then looking at Justin. “Beer?”

 

“Nah I’m okay,” Justin says, slipping the last of the cans in the fridge before closing the door and beginning to break down the boxes. Trace looks at him with mock outrage.

 

“Dude it’s your bachelor party!” he exclaims and Justin nods, rolling his eyes. “No seriously. Seriously.”

 

“I know but we’ve been drinking since what?” Justin says with a laugh as he glances at his watch “Eleven. And it’s only four. We have the whole night to go still.”

 

 “Justin,” Trace says, his face dead serious and Justin situates his own features into one of grave solemnity, playing along. “You’re getting married in seven days. It’s your last night to get truly fucked up. We have this huge ass suite,” he says gesturing around, “the rest of the guys are going to be here in a few hours but this,” he gestures between the two of them, “is best man bonding time,” he says and Justin can’t hold in his laugh causing Trace to grin, shoving the can of beer into his hand. “So drink the fuck up.”

 

“Okay, okay,” Justin concedes, taking a reluctant sip from the can and Trace grins, sidling around the counter to get into the fridge.

 

Justin shakes his head, tipping his head back to take a deeper swig. This is exactly what he needs. A night of total and complete recklessness, abandoning every sense of propriety and just getting fall down shitfaced. He’d been looking forward to this more and more as the daily grind of his life in New York had settled back in and the brief time he’d spent at home slipped farther into the past along with all the advice he’d gotten. Between last minute tux fittings and dinners with all of the out-of-towners that have been trickling in he hasn’t had much time to wonder if what he’s doing is the right thing. And what was “the right thing” anyway? It had all seemed so important back home, sitting on the picnic table with his grandfather. He’d agonized over it and now with the wedding mere days away it all seemed kind of silly and pointless. Like he’d told Charlotte such a long time ago, there is no stopping this thing.

 

“You sure you don’t want one Charlie?” Trace asks and Justin’s eyes flick to her, her green eyes crashing into his.

 

“No… I’m good really. I’m on the job.”

 

Trace winces and gives a short hiss. “All the more reason for you to drink.” He plunks a can down in front of her and she eyes it wearily.

 

“Amelia’s gonna be here any second…” Charlotte says uneasily and she can see Justin’s shoulders tense. “She asked me to meet her here.”

 

“What!” Trace exclaims, looking absolutely appalled and Charlotte giggles. “What the hell and here I thought you were just coming by to give my boy here his last thrill as a single man.”

 

Both Justin and Charlotte tense but she recovers before he can, letting out another soft laugh. “He’s not that lucky,” she replies and Justin body jerks somewhat when he feels the back of her hand nudge his bicep playfully. Trace laughs.

 

“Burn, buddy,” Trace grins, nudging the can closer to Charlotte. “Come on, ONE drink.”

 

“Trace if Amelia comes in here and finds me holding a beer she will come un-frigging-glued,” Charlotte says with a laugh and Trace sets his can down, holding up a finger as he grabs at one of the bottles wrapped in paper.

 

“No worries. Its about time we brought Jack out to play,” Trace grins, unsheathing the bottle and Charlotte shakes her head. “Justin… glasses.”

 

“You’re gonna be passed out in the floorboard of the car before we even reach the bar tonight,” Justin warns and a trill of peevishness nags at him. He can’t get truly fucked up if Trace is hammered too.

 

“I am not!” Trace exclaims, snatching three glasses from under the bar and lining them up, cracking open the bottle and tipping amber liquid into each glass. “I would like to propose a toast,” Trace says, tilting his chin up and raising his glass. Justin sighs reaching for a glass and lifting it and Charlotte does so as well albeit reluctantly, “to the end of the good years. Let it be a night we can’t remember.”

 

Trace chuckles heartily to himself as he clanks his glass roughly against Justin’s and then Charlotte’s before throwing his drink back and Justin’s brows crease, Charlotte looking down into her glass and swirling the contents.

 

“That was kind of shitty,” he says and Trace looks over at him bewildered.

 

“I was fuckin’ kidding dude,” Trace says back, his voice slightly annoyed. “Lighten up!” Justin eyes him skeptically and Trace rolls his eyes. “Look if you’re gonna have a giant stick up your ass all evening we should just call this off.”

 

“I’m not!” Justin insists and Trace glares at him.

 

“Then shut up and drink,” Trace insists and then looks at Charlotte. “You too.”

 

“Trace leave her alo-”

 

But his words cut themselves off and he watches in slight surprise as she throws it back, downing the entire glass before either can speak a word and sets the glass back down on the bar with a slight clatter. She doesn’t wince, doesn’t shiver and Justin gets a bitter taste in the back of his throat when he realizes that she’s probably doing shots on a weekly basis now. Felicity and her friends know how to party.

 

“Wow…” Trace trails, eyeing her up and down, impressed.

 

 “Now Trace is there anything else you’d like me to do before my boss gets here and fires me?” Charlotte replies, avoiding Justin’s gaze.

 

“Well since you’re offerin…” Trace replies, grinning lasciviously at her and she narrows her eyes at him before letting out a soft chuckle.

 

They continue to banter back and forth, the kind of biting remarks that used to excite Justin, amp him up when it was he and Charlotte that were playing this game but now all it does is piss him off. He’s an outsider looking in and he lets himself feel the space between them, not something that can be described so much anymore as a gulf but as a void, empty and airless. It’s the absence of everything they used to be and he’d been able to avoid it by avoiding her but with her standing barely five feet from him it’s impossible to evade the ache and the anger at having lost something that had once been so precious to him.

 

Trace’s bark of laughter startles him out of his daze, his best friend shaking his head. “Well on that note, I’m gonna take a piss. If I’m not back in ten minutes send out a search party.”

 

Charlotte shakes her head watching him traipse across the long living room before disappearing into the hallway and she sighs, her eyes falling on Justin who is standing behind the bar still, his brows drawn in that way she had learned to associate with his displeasure. She’s slightly put off by it, smiling at him awkwardly before letting her eyes travel around the room again, looking up at the hazy blue sky through the curving skylight. She’s uncomfortable, feeling his eyes on her and while she tells herself she can’t remember the last time that they were alone together she knows deep inside that it’s a lie.

 

She’s been lying to herself a lot lately, telling herself that she’s fine and she’s better off now that she finally knows where she stands with Justin. She can go out now, have fun with girl friends, dance until the bars close and accept drinks from men with dark hungry eyes that she always leaves wanting. Not that she couldn’t do any of those things before. It wasn’t like she and Justin were in any kind of relationship…

 

“Did Amelia say why she was coming by?” Justin asks after a moment, leaning against the bar and taking another swig of his beer.

 

“I think she just wants to talk to you about your parents getting in tomorrow,” Charlotte says, shifting slightly as she watches her hand run along the granite counter top. She looks up suddenly. “Hey, how was your trip home? I haven’t talked to you since…”

 

Her voice trails and he denotes the sadness in it, feeling the void between them tremble as they try to penetrate it. He hates how much he misses her. Not the mess that they’d gotten themselves into so much as just her, her friendship and her compassion. He misses the way she used to just understand whatever he was feeling or going though. He can’t tell if she can see any of that anymore.

 

“It was good,” he says after a moment, offering her a small smile and she returns it genuinely. “Everyone asked after you.” Charlotte blushes slightly and his smile widens. “I told them you were back in school, hanging out with Fee and her friends.”

 

“Oh jeez,” Charlotte says bringing her hand up to her forehead and Justin chuckles.

 

“You girls goin’ out tonight?” he questions lightly, eyeing her as he tips his head back, taking another drink.

 

“Um… no, not tonight,” Charlotte says and then gives a nervous chuckle.

 

“Why not?” Justin questions and Charlotte shifts uncomfortably looking at the countertop. “You’re doing that thing… where you don’t look at me,” he offers, timidly stirring up the dregs of their old friendship and Charlotte’s face goes from nervous to pleasantly surprised to beaming, her smile causing butterflies to set loose in his stomach.

 

“I’m not… not looking at you. I’m just…” she trails and she can’t push down her smile as she says what she’d always said in the past when he’d accused her of not meeting his gaze, “not looking at you.”

 

He beams back at her for a slight moment, his brain racing as he contemplates his rebuttal, heart hammering in his chest. He wants to bring up something about the weather van, or Al Roker or something else that was so them but its overshadowed by a cold sense of dread that eases the smile from his face.

 

“Amelia isn’t having you follow me is she?”

 

Charlotte laughs. “No… no no no,” she shakes her head and then giggles again.

 

“You sure?” Justin asks, eyeing her guardedly.

 

“Positive,” Charlotte says holding her palms up to him in surrender. “I have no clue what your plans are for the evening. And knowing Trace I’m not sure I want to.”

 

“I’ll admit I’m a little scared,” Justin replies, setting his beer on the bar and leaning against it casually. Charlotte grins.

 

“I doubt you’ll be conscious for much of it,” she replies and Justin raises his eyebrows.

 

“You may very well be right,” he grins and marvels at how easy this is, slipping back into who they were, and while it hurts him it revitalizes him as well. He’s missed her so very much.

 

“So if you’re not bar hopping with Fee what are your plans? Take out and a movie?” Justin’s smile fades as Charlotte’s face goes dark, shifting her feet and looking down at the bar. “You’re not looking at me again.”

 

“I kinda have a date,” she says quietly, pulling her bottom lip between her teeth and Justin can feel the air suck right out of his lungs as if he’d been sucker punched.

 

“Oh…”

 

“Fee set it up,” she quickly goes on to explain, her stomach curling, “It’s… it’s just drinks.”

 

She winces, wishing she’d made something up. She had figured he’d react like he always did, blink quick and then smile wishing her luck or steamrolling it with a joke. Instead he’s refusing to meet her gaze, his face set in a blank mask and she can’t read him.

 

“Well, um…” Justin says, letting out an awkward chuckle as he brings his hand up to run across the back of his neck. “Good luck with that.”

 

He feels strangely limbless, the pain of it disorienting and he wishes he could stop the movie reel in his head of Charlotte with another man, having a drink, walking hand in hand, going out to dinner, fucking. He shakes his head hard, reaching to throw back the rest of his beer, not wanting to think about it and though he’s able to shove the pain down he finds that the anger isn’t so easily buried.

 

“What’d I miss?” Trace asks, jogging back across the living room and they both jump, their hands falling from the bar and taking a step back, an old force of habit.

 

“Charlotte has a date tonight,” Justin says, his voice mocking as he rounds the bar, shuffling into the seating area and Charlotte feels his words as if they were a slap.

 

Trace raises an eyebrow. “Do we not like the guy?” he questions, watching Justin flop down onto the couch, throwing his feet up on the coffee table.

 

We don’t even know the guy,” Charlotte replies, her eyes trying to search Justin’s in confusion but he refuses to look at her and she can feel annoyance simmering inside her. Trace looks between the two of them suspiciously, lowing himself into a chair.

 

“Why are letting Fee set you up anyway?” Justin replies testily, looking across the room at her defiantly, “All the guys she dates are trust fund assholes who just want to get laid,” he pauses, holding on to some kind of restraint but loses it when that image of Charlotte at this birthday party pops into his head, looking ethereal in her white dress, talking to a wealthy man in an expensive suit. “Unless that’s just what you’re after.”

 

He doesn’t look at her but hears her gasp at his words. He feels Trace tense next to him, and the room is silent as he pulls a throw pillow out from under him and tosses it on the floor. He knows he has no right to act this way towards her. He’s the one that called it off and he knows deep down that he hurt her. It kills him to think that he did but he can’t change that. He hates that he can’t change that and that’s what it comes down to. He’s stuck in this life and all he can do is go to his bachelor party and get drunk, try not to think about someone else’s hands all over Charlotte. In seven days he’ll say his vows and the whole fucking mess will be over. At least that’s the truth he’s consoling himself with these days.

 

“Yeah, Justin,” Charlotte replies, her voice cold. “I can see why you’d think that.” She pauses waiting for him to look at her and when he glances her way she adds, “I have a tendency to get involved with assholes.”

 

He snorts, looking down at his hands again shame and hurt thickening in his throat so he doesn’t reply. Trace lets out an awkward cough.

 

“Alright Mom and Dad let’s keep this one together for the kids okay?” he deadpans uneasily but the tension isn’t alleviated and Trace’s suspicion that there is something deeper going on here only thickens.

 

“I’ll wait for Amelia in the lobby,” Charlotte says, turning away disgusted and angry, not just at Justin but at the lump in her throat.

 

She hates that she just lets him keep hurting her over and over again. She wants so desperately not to care, to tell him that he deserves Amelia and the fucked up life he’s committing himself to. But now when she’s probably as pissed at him as she’s ever been she can’t bring herself to do it. There’s still that part of her that cries out for him to stop, to listen to her, to listen to himself. He doesn’t want her with anyone else, doesn’t that tell him something? She lets out a frustrated growl, stomping her way towards the door and she tells herself that this is the last time. That once she steps out this door and closes it behind her she won’t care about him anymore, won’t worry about him fucking up his life anymore.

 

She gives out a startled cry as she swings the door open and finds Amelia standing there, key card in her hand as if she were just about to let herself in. Amelia merely blinks, giving Charlotte a quick once over before blinking again.

 

“Where were you off to?” she asks shortly, nudging past Charlotte into the suite and looking around appraisingly. “Well this is just lovely.” She sighs looking around pleased until her eyes fall on her fiancé who is staring sullenly at the rug and Trace who is watching his best friend with thinly veiled curiosity. “Is everything alright?” Amelia asks, her face puckering in concern as she walks over to Justin, picking up the pillow he’d discarded and nudging it between his ribs and the side of the couch. “You know darling you don’t have to do this thing if you don’t want to,” she says sweetly, leaning against the arm of the couch as her hand falls on Justin’s shoulder before curling around the back of his neck, fingers twisting in the curls at the base of his skull soothingly.

 

Trace rolls his eyes, pulling himself up from his chair and making his way over to the wet bar grabbing their glasses and rinsing them in the sink. He doesn’t want to be a part of this conversation. Justin looks up slightly bewildered, his brows creasing and his eyes meet Charlotte’s who is still standing in the doorway, looking as if this is the last place on earth she wants to be. He inwardly sneers at the thought of her wishing she was with someone else, visions of her laughing and drinking with some dork in an overpriced suit.

 

“I mean hardly anyone does the seedy bar thing anymore,” Amelia goes on, her nails scratching at his scalp soothingly and his eyelids flutter.

 

“Babe, Trace went to a lot of trouble to plan this for me,” Justin says tiredly and Trace looks up from rinsing the glasses, indignation burning in his dark eyes.

 

“And Justin wants to go,” Trace says pointedly, glaring at Justin and Amelia doesn’t even look up. Trace sighs looking at Charlotte and giving her an exasperated stare. She just shakes her head sadly as if defeated and Trace wonders how many times she’s seen an exchange like this one.

 

“We could all just have dinner at Samba instead! That would be much more fun. Charlotte, call and make a reservation for ten-”

 

“Are you fucking kidding me?” Trace asks, his anger boiling over so he slams a glass on the granite counter top a little harder than necessary. Amelia jumps, finally looking up at him annoyed. “Justin… come on dude!”

 

“What?” Amelia asks innocently looking from Trace to Justin wide eyed. “What did I say?”

 

“I’ve been planning this for months!” Trace says. “And he’s gonna have fun! He was having fun until you got here.”

 

“Trace quit,” Justin says with a sigh, reaching up to rub his temple as a steady throb starts behind his eye.

 

“Oh yes when I walked in he looked just thrilled to be here,” Amelia replies, her voice dripping with sarcasm, her hand reaching to squeeze Justin’s shoulder. “I was merely suggesting that we could all go out together and have dinner instead of running through a thousand bars.”

 

“Baby,” Justin says, his voice meek and Trace glances over to find Justin running the back of his hand soothingly up and down Amelia’s arm. “Its okay. Really.”

 

“It’s okay? You’re not seriously considering this are you?” Trace asks in disbelief, annoyance boiling deep in his gut and he thinks he sees Charlotte take a step closer to the bar, her hand reaching out in a cautioning gesture.

 

“Man, just…” Justin starts before heaving a sigh, bringing a hand up to pinch the bridge of his nose, the pain stabbing behind his forehead suddenly unbearable.

 

“You’re seriously considering blowing off our bachelor party plans? Really?” Trace questions, still trying to wrap his head around the idea.

 

“Trace, just calm down,” Justin says holding out a warning hand as Trace rounds the end of the bar, Charlotte taking quick steps to wrap her fingers around his bicep.

 

“He wouldn’t be blowing you off,” Amelia replies innocently, leaning more fully onto Justin and he shifts beneath her weight. “You could come.”

 

“Oh well thank you so much, Amelia,” Trace replies wryly. “Come on dude we’ve had this planned forever! You can’t just bail on it.”

 

“No one is bailing on anything,” Amelia says with a tinkling laugh as if he were being absurd. “I’m merely suggesting we change venue. Not all of us think getting fall down drunk is a good time.”

 

“God don’t you ever get tired of having that stick up your ass,” Trace says, shoulders slumping and he’s suddenly exhausted. He wonders how Justin does it, plays this game day in and day out.

 

“Trace quit being a dick,” Justin sighs heavily, shading his eyes with his hand in an attempt to dull the pounding there and Trace’s jaw drops, a look of deep disgust covering his face as the anger and the hurt boil over.

 

“I will as soon as you grow a pair you pansy ass mother fucker,” he spits, turning quickly so he doesn’t see the look of shock and deep hurt bloom across Justin’s face, shaking off Charlotte’s loose grip and stomping out of the penthouse.

 

Charlotte watches him dumbly as he slams the door behind him, shock washing over her in waves. When she turns to look back at Justin and Amelia her heart trembles slightly at the look on Justin’s face, wounded and shell shocked as if Trace had kicked him right in the nuts. In a way she guesses he did. She waits for the wounded look to leave his features, to be wiped away by a mask but it stays, as if he’s too deeply hurt to try and fake it, or he is trying and can’t quiet get there. She feels her heart tugging, pulling itself to shreds and she wills herself not to care. He’s not her concern anymore and he never should have been in the first place. Amelia is the one responsible for his happiness. Let her worry about him.

 

But that thought goes flying out the window when Charlotte takes in the look of smug satisfaction on Amelia’s face, watching her pat Justin’s arm as if she’s trying to soothe but the gesture is nothing if not mocking. Justin looks down to watch her hand touch his skin and his brow creases, looking back towards the door, his eyes holding Charlotte’s for the briefest moment and that’s all it takes for her to turn to the door.

 

“Trace!”

 

She scurries to the door, flinging it open as she calls his name again and she catches him as he waits for the elevator, jabbing the down button with ferocity.

 

“Trace you can’t do this,” Charlotte says calmly, taking in the set line of his jaw as he stands back with his hands on his hips, watching the floor indicator above the door. “You can’t bail on your best friend’s bachelor party!”

 

Trace turns to her then, the fire in his eyes causing Charlotte’s shoulders to curl as he flings out an arm, jabbing a finger back towards the direction of the penthouse. “That is NOT my best friend. That is a fuckin’ pod person. I don't know him any more.”

 

“You can’t walk away, Trace,” Charlotte says soberly. “Not now.”

 

“Why the fuck not?” he asks as the elevator doors slide open and he stares at the empty space inside, hesitating a beat before moving to step in.

 

Charlotte’s hand wraps around his bicep. “Because you don’t walk away.”

 

Trace’s face screws up as he turns back towards her, fully prepared to tell her to go fuck herself but the fierce look in her eyes leaves him speechless. Something about her determination to fix this, her desperation to not let Justin drive away the last person in his life who really knows him; this isn’t just some employer loyalty or even a friend protecting another friend. This is something more.

 

“You don’t run when it gets hard,” Charlotte goes on, breaking him from his thoughts. “You man up or take one for the team or whatever else it is you fucking guys say that makes you stick around.” Trace lets out a slight laugh that takes him by surprise, eyeing Charlotte skeptically. “Come on Trace. He’s your best friend.”

 

“Yeah, yeah,” he replies, sighing as he reaches an arm out to stop the elevator doors from closing. “He’s fucking lucky.”

 

“He is!” Charlotte exclaims beaming at him. “You’re a good man and a great friend. He’s extremely lucky to have you.” She nods authoritatively, still grinning and Trace smiles back at her.

 

“No I meant for having you,” he says and her smile fades, dimming into a guarded look and she drops her eyes to the floor.

 

“Trace?”

 

Both Trace and Charlotte turn finding Justin peeking his head out of the penthouse before stepping out completely, closing the door gently behind him. His movements are calculated and slow, his blue eyes large and apologetic and Trace gives him an exasperated look. Charlotte looks at the floor, her insides twisting.

 

“Man… I… I do want this party. I told her that,” he cocks his head back towards the penthouse. “I… it’s just…” he lowers his voice, his tone conspiratory. “You know how she is.”

 

Trace snorts and Charlotte nudges him with her elbow, a movement that causes Justin to frown. “Yeah dude… whatever. It’s fine.”

 

“It’s not…” Justin sighs. “It’s not fine. I shoulda stuck up for you more in there. I’m…” he shifts, shoving his hands in his pockets and watching his shoe scuff the marble floor. “I’m sorry.”

 

Trace just watches him for a moment, letting him squirm a bit before heaving a sigh. “Yeah, fine,” he replies and Charlotte elbows him again causing him to huff. “And I’m sorry I was an asshole… I guess.” Trace rolls his eyes but finds he can’t keep the smile off his face when Justin grins at him. “Jesus I just can’t stay mad at you.” He heaves a dramatic sigh, fanning at his face as if he were fighting tears. “You just keep doing this to me over and over and I just take it.”

 

Justin laughs, throwing an arm around Trace’s shoulder. “Its cause we’re meant to be together baby!”

 

Charlotte giggles as Trace gives Justin a demur smile and it turns into a bark of a laugh when they air kiss. Justin laughs himself, the sound warming Charlotte to the bone as he shoves his best friend hard, knocking him into the wall and Trace scoffs before jumping up and curling his arm around Justin’s neck, dragging him down and giving him a violent noogie. Charlotte is giggling uncontrollably, watching them spar and she hates herself a little. She’s said it before; it’s impossible to stay mad at Justin.

 

“Ugh, of course.”

 

The boys’ scuffling slows to a halt as Amelia’s heels tap smartly against the marble tile, her back straight and Charlotte knows that look. That is the look of a woman who has not gotten her way and is hell bent on making everyone else in the world pay for it.

 

“Charlotte I don’t know why you’re encouraging them,” Amelia scolds and Charlotte dips her head, doing her best to look chastised. “They could have knocked you off your no name shoes and you would have broken your neck and then what would I do?”

 

Justin and Trace both frown, looking over at Charlotte who has pressed her lips into a tight smile that Justin recognizes as her thinking “aaaaand there it is.” A smile tugs at his lips, a laugh bubbling in his throat and when Charlotte’s eyes meet his it sneaks out. She rolls her eyes, letting him know that he was right and that he can shove it. His eyes hold on hers for a moment so it startles him when Amelia grabs the open collar of his button down, jerking on it with both hands.

 

“You’ll have your phone with you?” she asks softly, buttoning one more button at his throat and smoothing her hands down his chest, wiping off his shoulders.

 

“Um… I guess,” he says uncertainly, watching her pick a piece of lint from his bicep. “But it could be kinda loud. I might not hear-”

 

“Then put it on vibrate,” she replies, her eyes deadly before giving him a sweet smile and Justin swallows hard.

 

“Yes, dear,” he replies quietly, leaning to peck her cheek when she offers it to him.

 

“I’ll take care of him, Amelia,” Trace says with a bored sigh, eyeing her with thinly veiled disdain and she scoffs pressing the elevator button.

 

“That’s what I’m afraid of,” Amelia replies before tossing her head waiting for the doors to open. “Come Charlotte,” she orders when they do and Charlotte jumps, scurrying after her.

 

Justin smiles, waving at them as the doors close and when they’re finally out of sight his shoulders slump, heaving an exhausted sigh. He hears Trace snort.

 

“Yes, dear,” Trace mocks in a singsong, Justin scowling at him. “Man, I know I apologized for before but you really do need to grow a pair.”

 

“Shut the fuck up,” Justin grumbles, his ears tingeing pink.

 

“Whatever,” Trace says with a chuckle, slapping Justin hard on the back before strolling back to the penthouse. “All I gotta say is your ass better not be on the phone with her all damn night.”

 

 

***

 

“The extra invitations? No I have no idea where those are.”

 

He glances around sullenly, the VIP room cramped with Amelia’s friends’ boyfriends and husbands; his friends now. Scantily clad waitresses bring around trays of tequila shots brushing past topless girls in nothing but g-strings who dance and gyrate for the men in the room and he’s sure that all of this would be much more glamorous if he had a better buzz going. He presses the phone harder to his ear, barely able to hear Amelia over the music pulsing in the background, the laughter and the clinking of glasses.

 

“Well did you check the office?” he questions, pinching the bridge of his nose wincing as she screeches at him through the line that of course she had and that she wasn’t stupid.

 

He’s lost track of the amount of times she’s called. He remembers talking to her as the groomsmen had started to arrive, Sasha and Patrick bringing Cuban Cigars that make Justin gag and Christian bestowing upon him a bottle of Scotch that probably cost as much as his parents house. Euan didn’t have a gift but had promised to buy his first lap dance, adding a wink at the end that told Justin the stripper would be doing more than just dancing for him. She had phoned again in the limo when they hit the first bar and then several more times at each location, giving him just enough time to have a few drinks and start to have fun before she tightened the leash. He sneers, wishing that Trace hadn’t made that little observation known to him but Trace isn’t in any state to be watching what he says.

 

“I’m sorry I can’t help you baby,” Justin says, hoping the listlessness in his voice passes as sorrow at wishing he can’t do more to help her. “Yeah, I’m having a great time,” he mumbles, watching as Trace throws his arms in the air, doing some kind of weird version of the Macarena, making one of the waitresses laugh as she offers him another drink. “I’ll see you tomorrow. Love you… bye."

 

Trace stumbles over, nearly knocking over the chair in the process of sitting down and grins hazily at his best friend. “Do I know how to throw a fuckin’ party or WHAT?”

 

Justin laughs but it feels hollow. “Yeah, man this is awesome.” He takes a small sip of his drink, eyeing his phone on the table.

 

“The warden call again?” Trace asks, eyeing him over the rim of his beer bottle and Justin rolls his eyes, leaning back sullenly in his chair. “What!” Trace asks and Justin glares at him.

 

“You don’t have to call her that,” Justin says, less out of defense for Amelia and more out of embarrassment for himself. “She’s just checking on me.”

 

“She’s checked on you a BILLION times dude. Normal chicks don’t do that,” Trace exclaims, leaning back in his chair to get a better look at one of the strippers dancing in front of Patrick. “Isn’t that guy married?”

 

Justin glances over, watching as Patrick reaches to undo the string on the girl’s bikini top, receiving cheers from the surrounding crowd. “Yeah.”

 

Trace shakes his head, taking a deep swig of his beer. “Some friends you got now.”

 

“They’re okay,” Justin defends weakly, reaching for his glass again and taking a deeper drink, his eyes crawling around the room.

 

He wonders where Charlotte is in that instant, if she’s getting ready for her date. He pictures her at her bathroom sink, his mind conjuring something out of a toothpaste commercial because he’d never actually seen her place. She’s in her underwear, her hair in curlers as she leans over applying eye liner. He checks his phone and raises his eyebrows when he sees the time. It’s already eleven. She must be on her date by now, sipping drinks in a smoky lounge while a devilishly handsome man has a hand on her thigh.

 

Trace throws his arm around his shoulders, startling him out of his thoughts. Justin can smell the whiskey on him, practically seeping from his pores and he fights the urge to glare at his best friend. It’s his bachelor party and he’s practically stone cold sober. He should be making bad decisions and Trace should have to be reigning him in. He can’t help being pissed that it’s turned out to be the other way around.

 

“Check her out, J,” Trace says, gesturing over with his beer and Justin’s gaze wanders to the stripper laying back against Patrick, her hips grinding is slow circles against his as his hands glide smoothly over the flat expanse of her stomach. “This is probably the last time you’re going to see a woman naked. Enjoy it while you can.”

 

Trace sniggers taking a swig of his beer and Justin has had enough, not just of Trace but of everything. The wedding, this party, Charlotte, Amelia. All of it. He glares at his best friend. “What the fuck is your problem man?”

 

Trace’s eyes widen, looking at Justin over the mouth of his bottle. “Huh?”

 

“You’ve been riding my ass all fucking night. Snarky comments about how this is the last night I’ll ever have fun and how I’m never going to get laid again. You got something to say to me Trace just fucking say it,” Justin barks and Trace’s brow furrows, anger burning in his hazy eyes.

 

“Dude I’m fucking kidding! Just because you have some kind of fucked up insecurity about what you’re doing-”

 

“I do not!” Justin exclaims and just then his phone lights up on the table, Amelia’s name flashing on the screen again and Trace rolls his eyes flopping back in his chair.

 

“What the fuck are you waiting for? The warden is gonna throw you in solitary if you don’t answer,” Trace spits and Justin glares at him. He pauses for a moment seemingly holding his tongue but his lack of sobriety doesn’t allow him to hold it for long. “You know I don’t fucking get it J. She already doesn’t fuck you, she has no goddamn respect for you. What else could she possibly do to fuck up your life if you didn’t answer your phone tonight?” Trace mocks and Justin can feel anger and hurt burning deep inside him. “Would she call off the wedding?” he snorts. “Not much of a loss there if you ask me.”

 

Justin stands so quickly his chair tips backwards and his hands are closing around Trace’s shirt, dragging him up out of his own chair. The table tips and empty bottles and glasses crash to the floor. The crowd around them seems to explode back from them in a ripple, clearing the space. Trace’s hands flail for a moment before making hard contact with Justin’s chest, shoving him backwards and off balance and he stumbles, releasing Trace’s shirt and reaching for the table to regain his footing.

 

“What the fuck is your problem?” Trace yells and Christian is behind him in an instant, his arm around his chest. “Get the fuck off me!” Trace hollers, struggling and there’s no one to hold Justin back, no one to keep him from hurting his best friend, this fact being the only thing that keeps his feet rooted to the floor. “So this is how its gonna be?” Trace calls, anger and hurt blazing in his dark eyes. “You’re gonna get your boys to hold me down?”

 

He scoffs shrugging Christian back violently, adjusting his shirt that had twisted around his body in the scuffle. All eyes are on them as he steps slowly up to Justin, his chin tipping up defiantly as Justin stands at his full height, nearly a head taller than his best friend. Justin’s jaw is locked, blue eyes hard as steel and even though he’s tensed, ready for a fight he doesn’t want this, wishes he could take it all back. A pang of sadness buries itself in his chest at the disgust on his best friend’s face as he shakes his head at him.

 

“You know this was supposed to be a fun night,” Trace says, his head still moving back and forth sadly. “Me and you, and yeah your new fuckin friends but mostly me and you. We’ve talked about this, our bachelor parties,” he lets out a soft laugh completely devoid of humor, “since we were old enough to understand it. And now…” he lets out a sad sigh, a look of stunned disbelief on his face. “Now I don’t even know who the fuck you are.”

 

He shakes his head sadly, his body nudging Justin’s as he stumbles his way to the edge of the crowd, pushing his way through until he disappears and Justin doesn’t watch him go, just looks at the broken glass littering the floor, the over turned chairs and table. Just another mess he’s made.

 

An arm wraps around his neck and he jumps looking over to find Sasha surveying the damage, his light eyes hazy as he shakes his head. “Forget him, man.” Sasha shoves a glass of amber liquid into his hand, the ice clinking against the side and the smell of Scotch burns Justin’s nose.

 

Sasha’s hand bangs against Justin’s back roughly before turning away and Justin is alone, watching the party get going again, the girls dancing, their bodies rolling as the lights along their naked flesh and the men slip twenties in their g-strings, fingers slipping in to cop a feel. The crowd cheers as Patrick’s lapdance gets raunchier, adding another girl to the mix and chaos reigns, sadness and confusion settling in his heart. He does the only thing he can. He throws back his drink and vows not to think about it anymore.

Chapter 30 pt 2 by SomethingBlue42

“And you hated finance?”

 

He’s eyeing Charlotte dubiously as if this concept is just a little too hard for him to grasp. She smiles back feebly. He’s good looking, almost ridiculously so, with coffee colored eyes, wavy dark hair and even though she’s wearing four inch heels he’s still a good head taller than her. His suit is impeccably cut, his shoulders broad, his waist thin and Charlotte is well aware that she’s the envy of every woman in the room.

 

Charlotte’s dateless weekends had been the running joke at Sunday brunch for the last month and a half and Fee had finally gone and done something about it, much to Charlotte’s horror. She’d protested vehemently of course, told Felicity that she’d heard enough dating horror stories from Fee and her friends to make her swear off dating New York men all together. She said she was really just trying to concentrate on getting her career back in order. She said she was too busy.

 

But the truth is Charlotte just isn’t ready yet.

 

As much as she wants to be over Justin, as much as she’s tried to convince herself that there is nothing she needs to get over, there is still a little broken part of her that won’t let it go. It had ended easily enough, slipped into nothingness almost as easily as it had slipped into being, no decision made.

 

It had just happened.

 

But she feels the jagged edges of it inside her. She hadn’t even realized how involved she was until he’d denied her that last time and stepping out of his office she had this disorienting sense of weightlessness. She’d at first credited it to losing the stress of keeping their secret but as time had gone by she’s come to realize she didn’t feel weightless so much as empty.

 

“Yeah it just… wasn’t for me,” Charlotte says, shaking her head as she reaches for the straw in her drink, swirling the green liquid awkwardly.

 

“It’s a tough field,” he concedes and his dark eyes are understanding and empathetic. “I know when I started out I was tempted to call it quits on more than one occasion.”

 

“You’ve done well though,” Charlotte offers, nodding at him and he smiles that smile that should make her stomach tremble.

 

“Decently enough,” he replies modestly. “Although I must admit I think your job is harder than mine at this point.” His eyes fall on Charlotte’s cell phone that sits at her elbow.

 

Charlotte laughs. “You may just be right.” Charlotte eyes it as well. “But it’s been nearly… a half hour now since she’s called.”

 

As if on cue, Charlotte’s phone lights up, wiggling its way across the table and her date bursts out laughing shaking his head. Charlotte feels herself blush, her hand covering the phone as her lips pull in a tight smile. She picks it up, giving him an apologetic look.

 

“I’m really sorry.”

 

He laughs, leaning back in his chair and nodding at her. “Not a problem.”

 

Charlotte shakes her head, flicking the phone open without even checking the ID, preparing herself for another one of Amelia’s probing questions but what she is not prepared for is the blast of sound that comes through the ear piece. She jerks in surprise, thoroughly confused for a moment, pulling the phone away from her ear and it’s a number she doesn’t recognize.

 

“CHARLIE???”

 

Her stomach drops to her toes her jaw going slightly slack. “J-Justin?”

 

“HEEEEEEEEEEY GIRL!” he yells and she hears the sound of clinking glass along with a myriad of sound.

 

“Um…hey…” Charlotte says, her eyes falling on the man across from her who’s brow has furrowed. “I’m… I’m kind of busy right now-”

 

“I jus’ wan’ed to apol’gize,” he slurs, his voice nearly drowned out by the music and Charlotte squints pressing her phone harder to her ear in an effort to hear him better. “I w..” a smattering of static breaks up his speech, “…asshole.”

 

“I’m sorry,” Charlotte says, standing from her seat and her date starts to rise from his. She holds out a hand shaking her head and motioning towards the bathrooms. “You broke up on me.” She gives him another apologetic smile before hurrying away from the table.

 

“I said I was an asshole ear’ier,” Justin repeats and she sighs, stepping into the hallway that leads to the bathrooms, leaning against the wall.

 

“It’s alright,” Charlotte replies tiredly and she hears the clanking of a glass through the line.

 

“NO!” Justin exclaims petulantly and she winces pulling the phone from her ear. “No i’snot a’right. I shou’n’t be mean t’you like tha’.”

 

“You’re right you shouldn’t,” Charlotte concedes and then shakes her head with a sigh. “But you’re forgiven okay?” She smiles, picturing him in her head, drunk and sagging against a table. She shakes her head. “I gotta go now. You have fun.”

 

There’s a pause and she wonders if he heard her. “Are you on your date?”

 

His voice is harsh and accusatory and she’s somewhat startled by it.

 

“Um… yes…” she says slowly, peering around the corner to peek at him, still sitting at the table by himself.

 

“Wha’s his name?”

 

“I doubt you know him,” Charlotte deflects quickly, leaning back against the wall. She forces some pep into her voice. “Look, go find Trace and have him buy you a drink from me okay? I’ll talk to you later.”

 

“Trace lef’,” Justin replies and Charlotte’s brows furrow.

 

“What?” she asks, concern curling in her chest and she tries to shove it down and away. This is not her problem.

 

“I said Trace LEFT,” Justin yells and she winces.

 

“Yeah I heard you,” Charlotte replies shortly, sighing as she brings a hand up to her forehead. “Why did he leave?”

 

“Dunno,” Justin slurs and Charlotte sighs, rubbing her temple. “Hey you wanna come ou’ here? I’ll buy you a drink!”

 

Charlotte laughs despite herself. “No… no thanks. I’m kinda tied up here.”

 

“Oh righ’,” Justin snorts. “Your date.”

 

“Do you want me to call Trace?” Charlotte offers, biting her lip and peering out into the dining room once again, finding her date leaning back in his chair, checking his watch.

 

“Nah,” Justin says with a sigh and she hears the clinking of ice against glass and a thump against the phone receiver, which she assumes is his glass on his way to his mouth.  “’m fine.”

 

“You sure?” Charlotte asks again, chewing her bottom lip. “How are you getting home?” There’s a pause in which all she can hear is laughter and music in the background. “Justin?”

 

“Huh?” he questions and she sighs, feeling that tug inside her and she tries to force it down. This is not her problem.

 

“How are you getting home?” Charlotte questions, louder this time and blushes when a lady rounds the corner, eyeing her wearily before slipping into the bathroom.

 

“Oh I’ll fi’ure somethin’ ou’,” Justin replies and then yawns loudly into the phone.

 

“Are you sure?” she asks emphatically, doing a poor job of pushing down her guilt.

 

“Yeah,” he says with a sigh. “Hey don’ fuck tha’ guy okay?”

 

Charlotte lets out a bark of laughter that she has to stifle with her hand. “I… I will do my very best not to.”

 

“S’r’sly,” he slurs and she can just see the pout on his lips. “Don’”

 

“I won’t,” Charlotte replies softly, her fingers curling tighter around the phone as her insides squeeze the breath from her lungs.

 

“Good,” he says, heaving a sigh of relief and Charlotte closes her eyes resting her head back against the wall, hating herself just a little more. “I guess I’ll le’ you go.”

 

“Yeah,” she replies softly, tipping her head forward again and doing her very best to force away the grief that’s pulling at her.

 

“Bye ‘harlie.”

 

“Bye,” she replies quietly and holds the phone to her ear until the line goes dead, leaning her head back against the wall and closing her eyes with a sigh.

 

She jumps when the sound of a toilet flushing echoes and the lady that had passed her earlier slips out and they share an awkward smile as she passes back into the dining room. Charlotte eyes her phone in her hand, wondering if she should call Trace anyway. No, she shakes her head, no this isn’t her problem. If Justin had wanted her to help he would have said so.

 

She hurries back into the dining room sidestepping tables and giving her date a tight smile as she lowers herself into her seat once more. He animates immediately, his eyes going from dull with boredom to sparked with something else. Excitement? Attraction? Charlotte can’t quite tell but it makes her blush.

 

“Everything okay?” he asks and she nods, setting her phone back on the table.

 

“Yeah, my boss’s… uh… fiancé this time,” she says stumbling over the words as her jaw clenches.

 

He raises his eyebrows. “Wow, the fiancé too?” He chuckles and Charlotte gives him a tight smile. “No wonder it was so hard to get a date with you. They’re working you to the bone!” He gives her a teasing grin and she blushes.

 

“I don’t usually do much with Justin,” Charlotte says her fingers tracing along the table cloth. “It’s just his bachelor party tonight and…” she trails biting her lip, wondering if she should have told him that.

 

“And he’s hammered?” he supplies for her and she chuckles, bringing her drink to her lips so she doesn’t have to answer and she knows the burn in her throat isn’t the alcohol.

 

“Would you mind if I made just… one more phone call,” she asks, setting her drink down and giving him the doe eyed look Felicity had been forcing her to practice.

 

He looks at her as if contemplating and then smiles. “Just one.”

 

Charlotte heaves a sigh of relief and smiles widely at him before scrolling quickly through her phone. She finds Trace’s number and dials, chewing on her bottom lip slowly as it rings and rings. She huffs a sigh when it goes to voicemail and clicks end, looking at the phone before setting it down on the table. Maybe she could just pop over to where the boys were partying… no. No she was not getting involved in this. Justin will be fine.

 

She shakes her head turning her attention back to her date who smiles at her. “I’m sorry… What were we talking about?”

 

“Finance,” he says with a grin and Charlotte smiles but it feels hard on her lips.

 

“Right… finance.”

Chapter 31 by SomethingBlue42

She can’t believe she’s doing this. Stepping out of the town car and into the balmy summer night her brain screams at her to stop, to turn around and tell the driver to take her home. But her body doesn’t listen, her heart taking its misguided steps to the front door where one mention of who she works for has her past the bouncer at the door and up a flight of stairs towards VIP.

 

What she finds there causes her jaw to drop. The air is dense with smoke, the smell of Cuban cigars mixed with a hint of marijuana assaulting her senses. The room is dimly lit but she can still see the naked girls grinding and writhing against men on couches, some doing more than just dancing and Charlotte can feel her heartbeat ratchet up, pushing against her throat at the thought of what she might find here.

 

She almost turns around then, almost makes her way right back down the stairs and out into the car, telling the driver to take her home but she hesitates, and the moment of hesitation is all she needs, conjuring up excuses and reasons why Justin would need her help. She never could get a hold of Trace and who else would come out to So.Ho in the middle of the night to get him?

 

She does her best to keep her eyes on the floor, ignoring the catcalls and the hands that brush against her as she passes men too drunk to know what they’re doing. She searches the room, trying to look for him but avoid seeing anything at the same time, the music loud enough to rattle her teeth, her body set on edge. She shouldn’t be here.

 

She nudges her way past a couple making out, finally making it to the back of the room where couches line the walls and even though it’s barely lit her cheeks still flame at the bodies moving against one another, the sounds around her. She turns, her heart hammering, stomach churning and that’s when she sees him, crumpled and half hanging off the side of a chaise lounge. Panic seizes her, tripping over empty bottles on the floor as she makes her way to him, grabbing his face and trying to pull him upright.

 

She says his name, patting his face gently and his jaw sags, head lolling on his neck. His hair is a wild slick on his head, his clothes rumpled and wet, and his shirt is unbuttoned nearly to his navel, twisted around his body. His undershirt is stained with brown and yellow liquid and the strong stench of alcohol radiates off of him. She holds his face, trying to keep his head steady and she can see that someone has written “Amelia’s Bitch” in pen on one of his cheeks.

 

“JUSTIN!” she yells, patting his face a little harder and he stirs, groaning, eyes fluttering open to gaze at her blankly.


“’arlie?” he questions blearily, struggling to sit up and she puts her hands on his shoulders to steady him.

 

“Are you alright?” she questions, holding his face in her hands and trying to get his hazy eyes to focus on hers. 

 

“Yeah,” he replies, his voice thick as if he’d just come out of a sleep he’d been in for hours, blinking around, trying to focus his eyes.

 

The last thing he remembers is Sasha setting a line of tequila shots in front of him, telling him to stay occupied as he pulled a dancer into his lap, a smattering of stars tattooed down her spine. One right after another he threw them back, watching those stars gyrate and roll, twist and spiral until blurred… and then there was Charlotte.

 

He looks at her then, her green eyes lined in black, lashes splaying out in a delicate fan and that little line is drawn between her brows; the one that shows up when Amelia is particularly nasty or he makes a flippant comment about something he’s unhappy with in his life. She’s concerned, frowning, her lips full and red and he feels the urge to lean in and kiss her then, his hand moving to cup her cheek.

 

She jumps, standing back from him and he looks up at her, taking in the black satin of her dress with the sculpted short sleeves, the neckline plunging but not as far as the zippered front bodice would allow. She’s looking at him uncertainly and then shakes her head, reaching for his elbows.

 

“Come on let’s get you cleaned up,” she says, pulling him up and his body feels foreign to him, his brain swimming in a sea of alcohol.

 

“Di’ ‘melia call you?” he questions, tripping over his own feet and somewhere in his mind he realizes that she’s supporting most of his weight, his arm slung around her neck while hers supports him under his ribs, her other hand holding him steady at the center of his chest.

 

“No,” she grunts, looking around for any sign of the bathroom and spotting a hallway just off the bar. She begins to drag him in that direction.

 

“Really, ‘m oka’” he slurs, concentrating very hard on making these words true, placing one foot carefully in front of the other so as not to fall.

 

Charlotte snorts taking her hand off his chest to open the door to the bathroom and there’s not much room inside, the walls a fire-engine red, scared with deeper reds and oranges and yellows, the mirror above the black marble vanity misshapen and warped seemingly by the heat of the flame colored walls. Justin is reminded of hell as Charlotte pulls him inside, closing the door behind him and maneuvering him so that he’s leaning against the sink. This is the worst kind of torture, being closed in this small space with her, the scent of her shampoo surrounding him as she reaches behind him to wet a towel she’d snatched from the vanity. He studies her face, memorizing the curve of her cheek, the slant of her eyes, the bow of her lips and that longing tugs in his chest and his groin, the want for her.

 

He yelps when she brings the towel to the side of his face, scrubbing at his cheek and he tries to twist away from her, letting out an annoyed growl. She’s persistent, scrubbing his skin hard and he reaches for her wrists, tugging them away.

 

“You have stuff written on your face,” Charlotte protests, trying to struggle against his grip, reaching to scrub again with the towel and he huffs, annoyed, the alcohol on his breath causing her to cough. “Jesus Justin you’re gonna hate yourself tomorrow.”

 

She shakes her head, still dabbing at his cheek and she’s surprised when he lets out a laugh, his head falling back, bloodshot eyes sinking closed.

 

“That’s everyday, darlin’” he drawls heaving another sigh and she shivers at the term of endearment, biting her lip as she smudges the last of the pen from his face.

 

“There,” she says softly, placing the towel down next to him on the vanity and she avoids his eyes, looking down at the stains on his undershirt, reaching to straighten his button down and hesitating just a moment before beginning to do the buttons for him.

 

He watches her, remembering this exact scenario only in reverse. He lets the slideshow of her body and skin run through his head but it’s short, replaced by her smile and the pout of her lips when he says something particularly smart-ass. His head is overrun by the sound of her voice and her laugh, longing for her, for what they used to be and he’s perilous to fight it.

 

Charlotte makes a slight gurgle of protest when his hand weaves its way into her hair but Justin swallows it, his lips pressing hard to hers. She whimpers against his lips, her hands falling to his chest as the familiarity of kissing him again washes over her, that warmth settling in her belly as his hands smooth down her neck and over her shoulders. Her mind is screaming at her to stop and while her heart trembles at the thought of the pain that’s to come it still calls out for him, wanting him and loving him even though she knows it’s wrong.

 

She gasps when his clumsy fingers find the zipper at her chest, tugging down until it won’t go anymore, exposing her breastbone in a way that she couldn’t bring herself to do in public. That’s when the fear hits her, ice cold and shocking and something inside her screams that she can’t do this. She can’t let him hurt her like this anymore.

 

“Justin…” she breathes shakily as the warmth of his palm presses to her breast bone, fingers wiggling under the fabric of her dress to cup her breast. “Justin,” she tries to protest between his insistent kisses.

 

He groans softly, turning her so that she’s pressed against the vanity, one hand still stuck inside her dress, fingers squeezing at her breast while his other hand tries to find the hem of her dress, fingers skimming up her thigh.

 

“Justin no,” Charlotte says finally, practically yells as she wrenches her mouth from his and he freezes, looking at her wide eyed.

 

She sighs, resting her forehead against his and biting her lip as she pulls his hand out of her bodice, zipping it to a more comfortable spot and nudging him back from the counter. He looks down at her, his eyes hazy and she wonders if he’ll even remember this tomorrow. She shakes her head, the throbbing in her chest telling her that she won’t have that luxury.

 

“’harlie, I-”

 

“Don’t,” she cuts him off with a wave of her hand, shaking her head and pressing against his chest with the tips of her fingers. “Let’s get you back to the hotel.”

 

He lets her drag him back through the club, his arm curled tightly around her neck and his brain is a swirl of fragmented thoughts. He wants her, that burn in his chest threatening to set him ablaze and all the months they’ve been apart, every forced smile and awkward hello, feels like an eternity. He knows he shouldn’t be feeling this way about her, that he’s getting married in mere days and in his drunken state the truth finally floats to the surface of his mind.

 

He stops dead in his tracks at the revelation, Charlotte slipping out of his grasp and they’re standing on the city sidewalk, the town car at the curb and she looks back at him questioningly, holding her hand out to him.

 

“Justin-”

 

“I lo’ you,” he blurts, blinking slow as he sways unsteadily on his feet and her neck jerks as if she had been physically struck.

 

Charlotte looks at him dumbfounded, her heart thundering in her chest but instead of feeling elation, or even relief she feels angry and hurt. Standing there in the middle of the sidewalk outside some stupid club where the smell of garbage and piss fills the late night air he tells her he loves her. When he’s so drunk he can barely stand and he’s getting married in five days.

 

She clears her throat and forces down the lump lodged there, wiggling her fingers at him, urging him to take her hand and when he does she pulls him to the car, opening the door for him and guiding him inside, holding his head so he doesn’t whack it on the roof of the car. He tumbles into the back seat, scooting himself over inelegantly so she can slip in next to him and she leans forward telling the driver to take them to his hotel. He watches her, the dim city lights playing across her face as they pull away from the curb and he reaches a hand up to tuck her hair behind her ear clumsily.

 

“I miss you ‘harlie,” he murmurs, the gentle motion of the car making him drowsy and his eyelids droop, head lolling until it rests against her shoulder.

 

Charlotte turns her face to the window, squeezing her eyes shut. He doesn’t know what he’s saying, won’t even remember it tomorrow, hell maybe not even twenty minutes from now. His head is heavy on her shoulder, his steady breath fanning down her chest as his hand finds its way to her thigh resting there innocuously. She covers it with hers, her stomach rolling at the mixed emotions mingling in her chest. She never should have come to get him, should have gone home and just sent the driver. Justin isn’t going to be the only one hurting in the morning.

 

She shakes him awake when they reach the front of his hotel, tugging him out of the car by the front of his shirt, his body even less cooperative now that the alcohol is beginning to render him unconscious. He leans heavily on her in the elevator, nose nuzzling at her pulse point, lips smudging her skin and she does her best to ignore it, wishing that when the doors ding open she could just breeze away from him, but she knows he’d tumble right to the ground.

 

His nose nuzzles against her hair, hand smoothing across her stomach and she can feel the heat of his skin through the thin satin of her dress as they approach the door. She has to ask him twice for the key, holding him steady at the waist while his fingers grapple in his pockets before pulling out the small card which she takes before he has a chance to drop it.

 

They tumble into the suite, Justin chuckling as their feet get tangled, his arm clutching tighter at her neck as they nearly fall to the ground. She does her best to keep them upright, kicking off her heels as he leans heavily against her, his nose nuzzling at her ear.

 

“We have to get you to bed,” she says as evenly as possible and shivers at the chuckle he breathes against her ear.

 

“You wan’ me in bed?” he slurs and she fights the urge to roll her eyes.

 

“Come on,” she sighs, practically dragging him down the hallway to the master bedroom.

 

She lets him fall against the bed, his body tumbling backwards and his feet fly up which causes her to smile despite herself and then giggle at the confused look on his face when he struggles up onto his elbows. She hates that she can never stay mad at him.

 

“Come on,” she says with a sigh, walking forward to tug the comforter back. “Bed.”

 

“’m no’ tired,” he pouts letting his body splay back on the sheets and Charlotte sighs again, shaking her head as she rounds the end of the bed, crouching down to untie his shoes.

 

“You are,” she insists, pulling his shoes and socks from his feet. “Come on scoot up. You want your pants off?”

 

He giggles. “YOU wan’ my pants off?” He smirks at her and she shakes her head.

 

“There’s no way you’re having sex tonight,” she says, reaching to unbutton his shirt and he looks down at her hands dumbly.

 

“See, you sa’ tha’ and then you’re gettin’ me nekkid,” he wiggles a little smiling up a her playfully, his hazy eyes dancing.

 

“You’re a mess,” she says softly, her hand coming to touch his face and she lets herself love him just a little bit, watching him press his cheek into her hand, his eyes sinking closed as he sighs heavily.

 

She watches him for a moment, his head tucked into her hand and she wishes so badly that things were different. It’s her own fault for getting involved with a practically married man and she kicks herself everyday for falling into the trap every woman in her situation does; thinking he would eventually see that she is better for him than the woman he is engaged to. She shakes her head, pulling her hand away and his head falls, startling him awake and he blinks at her blearily. She urges him up the bed, aiding him in pulling his arms from his button down shirt and reaching tentatively to undo his belt and jeans. He lifts his hips, allowing her to tug the fabric down and she tosses his clothes on a nearby chair, reaching for the sheets, tucking him in like a child.

 

“Ge’ in with me,” he mumbles, his eyes heavy and she shakes her head. “Yes,” he insists, arms reaching for her, hands grappling at her arms clumsily.

 

“Justin you need to sleep it off,” she chides, her heart begging to just climb in and curl up with him like she’s never gotten to do.

 

“I miss you ‘harlie,” he slurs, hands pawing at her arms. “I mi’ you so much. I’s not the same wi’out you. You were mah bes’ frien’ an’ then you were more an’ I know it was kin’a fucked up but it was us, you know,” he rambles, his speech getting farther and farther away, the pawing of his hands getting weaker and he’s going to slip under at any minute.

 

“Shhh,” Charlotte whispers, gritting her teeth against the lump in her throat. “Go to sleep.”

 

“I ne’er mean’ to hurt you,” he mumbles. “I lo’ you. I’m no’ s’pposed to. I’m ge’ing married. But I lo’ you. An’ I lo’ her. I’m confuse’.”

 

His brow draws, his eyes closed and he looks like a little boy fighting sleep, his words slicing her apart inside and while she feels like she should hate him, seeing him like this, vulnerable and open she can’t bring herself to do it. She hates herself for not being able to do it.

 

“Go to sleep,” she whispers, reaching for the bedside lamp and despite her better judgment she leans down and presses her lips to his forehead, his back arching slightly, his nose nuzzling her jaw as she pulls away.

 

She hears it then, a soft thump of bone on wood and her head whips finding Trace standing in the doorway, a million questions in his bleary eyes. Her entire body stiffens, frozen with her hand under the lampshade and Justin begins to snore softly, settling more under the blankets. Trace looks from his best friend back to Charlotte, his eyes narrowing just slightly as his tongue works over his teeth, surveying her for a moment before cocking his head back, beckoning her to follow him.

 

She lets her eyes sink closed, dread icing her veins as she gives one last glance to Justin before flicking off his light and padding her way out of the room in the darkness. She looks around for Trace, the room lit by the lights from Time Square winking and strobing through the atrium windows. She sees him then, leaning over the balcony just outside the great room and swallows hard before taking cautious steps towards him.

 

His head turns at the sound of the glass door sliding open, Charlotte stepping barefoot onto the cool tile of the balcony, coming to stand next to him. She looks out over Time Square, feeling his eyes roving over her and waits.

 

“You fuckin’ my best friend?”

 

His question holds none of the playful suggestion it had at Christmas when he’d first asked it, his tone stating that he already knows the answer.

 

“How much did you hear?” she asks, sidestepping his question.

 

“Enough,” Trace replies, taking a deep swig from the can of beer in his hand and that’s when Charlotte notices all the empties littering the balcony floor. “Don’t worry I won’t rat on you.”

 

“It’s not what you think,” Charlotte tries to protest, although what she’s protesting she’s not entirely sure.

 

“You’re not fucking him?” Trace questions, quirking an eyebrow at her and she can feel her cheeks heat.

 

“Not anymore,” she replies quietly and Trace barks out a laugh.

 

They’re quiet for a moment before, “Can’t say I didn’t see it comin’” He chuckles, shaking his head.

 

“Glad you’re amused,” Charlotte replies bitterly, glaring down at the street below.

 

“He loves you.”

 

She cringes shaking her head. “No.”

 

“I heard him say it!” Trace argues and Charlotte’s head whips to him.

 

“He’s drunk off his ass Trace!” She bristles at her outburst. “He doesn’t know what the fuck he’s saying. He’d tell you he loves you right now.”

 

“He does love me,” Trace replies back with a nod. “He does he just forgets sometimes. Amelia has that effect on him.” He drains the rest of the can bitterly, crushing it in his palm and tossing it aside, listening to it skitter against its mates. “But you… you make him remember.”

 

“Trace-”

 

“You make him remember all the shit that matters, Charlie!” Trace says earnestly, his dark eyes piercing her and she can practically taste his desperation. “You can fix this!”

 

Fix it? Fix what?” Charlotte exclaims. “Its not my fucking job to fix anything Trace. I tried to help him. I was fucking there for him. With all the shit with Amelia?” Her indignation swells when she sees him roll his eyes, reaching down and grabbing another beer off the chair. “I built him up and encouraged him and all she ever did was tear him down. And what did that get me?” She stops then looking out over the city, her heart tugging painfully in her chest and she can’t bear to even say aloud how she really feels for Justin. “A drunk call in the middle of a date because his best friend fucking bailed on him.”

 

Trace’s cheek twitches, hiding his cringe with a regretful smile. “I make mistakes, Charlie. That’s what I do.” He sighs. “Justin was always the star you know. He was always so fucking good at everything and yeah he took me along for the ride but I could never live up to him.” He pauses, looking down at his beer, turning it round and round in his hand. “He was always so calculating and careful and me?” He chuckles. “I speak without thinking and I jump when I should probably look first.” He pauses, taking a deep swig and then chuckles. “I drink too much.” Charlotte snorts, rolling her eyes. “I’m a fantastic lover though,” he adds and Charlotte quirks an eyebrow at him, a smile tugging at her lips despite herself. It seems Justin isn’t the only one she can’t stay mad at, “and I try my damndest to be a good friend.” He shakes his head, heaving a sigh as he looks out over the city. “God knows I mean well.”

 

Charlotte sighs, reaching a hand over to rub up and down his back quickly. “I know you do.”

 

“That’s why I’m telling you,” he says, looking over at her again. “You have to fix this.”

 

“What do you want me to do, Trace?” Charlotte questions, her voice defeated. “He’s getting married in five days. We… we aren’t even… we don’t-”

 

“Find a way,” Trace insists, the hard edge of his voice startling her and she blinks at him taken aback. “He’s gonna fuck up his entire life, Charlotte. You’re the only one he’ll listen to.”

 

“How the hell do you even know that?” Charlotte asks petulantly.

 

“Because he called you. On a date. When his best friend fucking bailed on him,” Trace replies and then adds softly. “And he loves you.”

 

Charlotte lets her head hang back, sucking in the warm summer air and shakes her head slow. Trace has no idea what he’s talking about. There’s no way that she can fix Justin. He has to fix himself and he’s not even willing to take the steps to try. But something about Trace’s words, his earnestness and his faith that she can do it, while blind and ill-thought pick and prod at her already weary heart.

 

“I don’t think I can,” she says softly and that’s when Trace shakes his head, draining the last of his beer before turning to her.

 

“You have to,” he says firmly, his eyes holding hers before tossing his can aside and turning to stumble back into the penthouse. “You’re the only one who can.”

Chapter 32 by SomethingBlue42

Justin’s stomach heaves violently, clenching and cramping as his fingers curl against the porcelain of the toilet bowl, nails scratching just trying to find something to hold on to. He takes a large gasping breath when it finally lets up, his body trembling, legs quivering under him and he wants to fall to his knees but can’t risk getting his Armani trousers dirty.

 

A quick rap of knuckles on the door. “You okay, dude?” Trace asks, his voice muffled behind the heavy wood of the bathroom door.

 

“Yeah,” Justin breathes, his voice a dry rasp but he’s not fine, his stomach rolling again violently as he retches once more into the bowl.

 

This is easily the worse case of nerves he’s ever had, the buzz before going on stage nothing compared to this bout of cold feet. He’s getting married in an hour. His groan is cut off by the sharp seizure of his abdominal muscles as they try and force up the last of his lunch along with the lining of his stomach.

 

“You sound like you’re hurlin’ up your balls in there,” Trace says, his words joking but his tone is tentative, the door handle jiggling.

 

“I said I’m fine,” Justin snaps, letting out a shaky sigh as he finally sits back, his trousers be damned, leaning his head back against the cool wood of the door, resting his trembling elbows on his shaking knees.

 

He closes his eyes, hearing the muffled chatter of the groomsmen in the outer dressing room before there’s a hush and it’s only the dull hum of Trace’s voice followed by the sound of shuffling feet and then silence. He sighs heavily, pulling his head forward and then letting it thump back hard against the wood, jarring his senses and his stomach finally feels settled enough for him to try and stand. His legs wobble unsteadily underneath him as he braces his hands on the cool porcelain of the sink for balance, looking up at himself in the mirror.

 

He’s pale, forehead clammy with sweat and his blue eyes are slightly bloodshot and alight with some emotion he doesn’t try to decipher. He flicks on the faucet and cups a shaking hand beneath the stream of water, bringing it to his mouth and swishing it around before spitting it back out and then splashing more in his face.

 

He takes a step back from the mirror, standing tall and running a hand over his closely shaved head as he breathes. “Come on Justin, get it together.”

 

***

 

Charlotte paces the hallway, her heels making smart tapping sounds against the stone floor. She’s a bundle of nervous energy, her stomach twisting itself in knots. All week Trace’s plea had rung in her ears and she hates to admit that she’s courted the idea of trying to stop this thing, even had her thumb poised over the send button a few times, her heart thundering in her chest but she always stopped herself. Despite Trace’s furious belief that she could fix this situation she had no clue what to say. She’d said it all before and Justin had ignored every time, subconsciously or not and in the end all she wound up with was the same feeling of helplessness she always had when it came to Justin.

 

But now standing here in the biggest church she’d ever been in on what was probably the biggest day of Justin’s life she wishes she would have spoken up sooner, all of the words that she’s held in for so long wanting so badly to rush out of her. So she paces, weighing the pros and cons of such an act. A desperate plea to her lover on his wedding day? Dare she allow herself to commit such a cliché?

 

“Charlotte!”

 

She jumps as she hears her name echo off the stone walls, turning to see Trace striding towards her, the other groomsmen giving him a sidelong glance as they file their way out into the foyer to wait. Charlotte’s throat constricts, checking her watch in a panic but finds that there is still forty-five minutes left before the ceremony.

 

“What are you doing? You don’t have to line up for another thirty minutes,” she says, walking towards him and he waves a hand.

 

“Justin needed space,” he says and Charlotte nods swallowing hard. “You didn’t talk to him did you?”

 

She sighs. “I…”

 

Her voice dies in her throat forgoing excuses and arguments and settling on silence instead, looking down at her toes peeking out from under the fluttering hem of her dress She hears him sigh before feeling his hand close around her bicep.

 

“Come on,” he says, his voice slightly perturbed and she trips over her own feet as he drags her down the hall.

 

“Where… where are we going?” she stutters, startled by his manhandling.

 

“We’re gonna talk to him,” Trace says and Charlotte plants her feet, nearly sending them both tumbling to the ground.

 

“No,” she says, jerking her arm from his grasp. “No, Trace.”

 

“Come on, you can’t just-”

 

“It’s not my fight!” she exclaims finally, the words she should have said all along, not just to him but her herself as well. “If he wanted me in his life he would have found a way to put me there. He would have been the one fighting but it’s been me all along and I can’t do it anymore.”

 

Trace stares at her, taking in the mask of her face as she tries to hide how wounded she actually is. He places a hand on her forearm. “You love him,” he says softly and watches her close her eyes tight, sucking in a sharp breath.

 

“He doesn’t love me,” she says and is proud her voice only trembles on the last word.

 

“He does,” Trace says softly and she shakes her head, her eyes still squeezed shut. “He’s just stuck, Charlie!” He sighs as if exasperated that she doesn’t get that by now. “He… he’s obsessed with doing things right, has been for as long as I’ve known him, which is for-fucking-ever.” He winces, glancing up at the ceiling as if God would smite him right then and there for use of foul language in His house. “He’s scared; he knows this is wrong. I know he does but he’s just afraid of what it would mean if he didn’t go through with it. He’s hurling up his guts in there for chrissake. He needs someone to tell him it’s okay to let this go.”

 

“Then you do it,” Charlotte spits, annoyed that he’s asking so much of her. Doesn’t he know how much she’s lost already, how much Justin has taken and left broken? Trace blinks at her. “You tell him it’s okay. Because I can’t anymore. I can’t.

 

“You can!” he argues back and she scoffs rolling her eyes and shifting her feet. “You wouldn’t be here otherwise.”

 

Charlotte widens her eyes at him. “I have to be here, Trace. I’m working.”

 

Trace’s face screws up in annoyance. “Fucking bull. Shit. Charlotte.” He pauses watching her huff and cross her arms tightly over her chest, gnawing on her bottom lip. “Fine,” he says after a moment and she looks up at him. “Don’t say anything to him. But just make damn sure that you keeping your mouth shut isn’t going to be something you’re gonna regret for the rest of your life.”

 

He bumps her shoulder hard as he stomps past her disappearing around the corner, leaving her alone in the empty hall.

 

***

 

Going through the motions of putting on his tux comforts Justin, methodically slipping each button through the corresponding hole of his starch white dress shirt, pulling his vest onto his shoulder and situating it on his thin frame before buttoning it as well. It’s easy for him to pretend that its another night during his last tour, even though that was nearly three years ago now, as he adjusts his collar and cuffs. The room is silent and he wishes he had a radio, the melodic hum of chords being strung together to comfort him and put him at ease. The full-length mirror in front of him shows a man that can’t possibly be him. He’s not that pale and his hands don’t shake like his reflection’s does. He breathes out a steadying sigh, closing his eyes and fighting the roll of his stomach and he can’t seem to shake these nerves. He’s never been this effected before, not even when he’d auditioned for the television show all those years ago, not even when he’d asked Amelia to marry him.

 

His stomach rolls so hard it gives him a strange sense of vertigo, making him stumble backwards and fling out a hand to catch himself on the nearby vanity lest he lose his balance. A soft, almost inaudible knock on the door startles him and he swallows hard as a thin shiver of panic runs through him. It can’t be time already!

 

“Yeah?” he questions, cursing the tremble in his voice and he lifts his head just in time to see the door creak open in the mirror over the vanity, Charlotte slipping inside and his heartbeat ratchets up about twenty notches.

 

She’s dressed in a sleeveless gown, the lavender color making her a little sallow but the draped bodice and empire waist flatter her curves. Her hair is twisted in a low side ponytail, curling elegantly over her shoulder with an orchid tucked right next to her ear. His mouth twitches with the realization that it probably wasn’t her choice to put it there.

 

“Hey,” she says so softly she almost mouths it and he doesn’t turn, busying himself with fiddling with his cufflinks. “Trace said you were sick?”

 

Her voice is closer now and he looks up to find her directly behind him, her hand reaching out and when he feels it start to settle on his shoulder blade he jumps, shrugging her off quickly.

 

“I’m fine,” he says, his voice sounding nothing like him at all and she nods solemnly in the mirror, a heavy silence settling between them.

 

“Justin…” she starts and then trails, his eyes meeting hers and in the mirror and he can tell she has something to say, can always tell when she’s holding back and his heart gives a nervous tremble at what he’s not sure.

 

“Did Amelia need something?” he questions, looking down so he doesn’t have a chance to see the hurt that blooms in her eyes.

 

“No… no she didn’t need anything,” Charlotte says softly, her courage dying away at the mention of his fiancé. Soon to be wife. She glances at the clock. Only thirty-five minutes left.

 

“I’m almost ready,” he says, his voice thin and barely in control, taking the few steps back over to the full length mirror and reaching for his tie.

 

She nods, watching him loop it around his neck, his usually nimble fingers struggling with the loop and his brow draws as his movements become jerkier with his frustration.

 

“Here,” she says softly, stepping closer to him and laying a soft hand on his shoulder, feeling his skin warm through the cool linen of his dress shirt before he turns towards her.

 

“I’m…” he gulps letting out a manic chuckle. “I’m really nervous,” he says, tipping his chin up and looking at the ceiling before closing his eyes against the churning in his gut.

 

Charlotte merely hums, her fingers shaking almost as badly as his, causing her to have to start the knot over several times. He breathes deeply through his nose and out his mouth, his stomach calming as he takes in the light scent of Charlotte’s hair, his shoulders loosening slightly as her fingers brush his throat. She always was able to bring him down and put him at ease.

 

“Justin…” Charlotte starts, finally getting the knot and adjusting it, her throat closing on her words, losing her nerve once again but when his eyes meet hers, her lips loosen and words just come tumbling out. “Don’t do it.”

 

She breathes the words softly, her breath fanning his face and his eyes widen, heartbeat tripling and his hands move to her biceps to steady himself. What did she just say? Her hands wrap in the fabric of his vest, pulling him closer until they’re nose to nose, his breath coming in heavy pants as he stares down at her and when he sees the pleading in her green eyes his knees nearly buckle.

 

“Please,” she begs, her voice raw, hands winding tighter and tighter in his vest. “Justin, please don’t do this.”

 

His brain is jammed, something stuck in the gears of his thoughts. Her words shock him, like a punch to the ribs, pain throbbing with every beat of his heart as he stares at her in disbelief. She has to know he can’t, as much as it hurts him he can’t. He’s getting married in thirty-five minutes. Right?

 

“Don’t…” he replies, his voice thin and he swallows hard to try and give it more strength. “Don’t right now okay,” Justin says softly, his hands moving from her biceps to gently untangle her hands from his vest.

 

“Justin, you can’t do this,” Charlotte says, her skin prickling with panic, her vision vibrating with her heartbeat as she grips his vest again, ignoring his efforts to make her let him go. “It’s not what you want. Amelia is wrong for you. Can’t you see it? Can’t you feel it? You have to! You’re physically sick from it for god sake!”

 

“I’m fucking nervous, Charlotte!” he snaps finally, the stress becoming too much as he shoves her hands away from him angrily and turns away, suddenly overheated and panicked. “I’m… I’m getting married in thirty minutes.”

 

Saying the words aloud sucks all the air from his lungs, his heart threatening to break his ribcage as black starts to creep in from the corners of his eyes, and he’s deaf from the roaring in his ears. He stumbles, leaning to tumble awkwardly onto a leather ottoman.

 

“Look at you!” Charlotte exclaims, her voice breaking, tears stinging her eyes as she kneels in front of him, touching his face, his skin cold and clammy to the touch. “You’re not just nervous! You know this is wrong, Justin. You know it in your gut.”

 

“It’s just cold feet,” he insists weakly, trying to shake her off because he can’t do this. Not now.

 

“What is wrong with you?” Charlotte exclaims, both hands planting firmly on his cheeks, trying to force his eyes to hers. “Look at me. Look at me! You deserve to be with somebody who makes you happy. Somebody who doesn't complicate your life. Somebody who won't hurt you. You belong with me, Justin!”

 

Her chest heaves as she finally says the words she’s been longing to say for months. He stares at her blankly, blinking a few times as if he’s trying to process her words. Justin’s eyes fall to the floor, letting a few silent seconds pass, feeling her hands shake against his face, hearing the labored push and pull of her breath. He doesn’t know what to say, can’t think of what to do, her words having torn something apart inside him and now he feels set adrift, his mind not being able to comprehend or process how he should react. So he says the only thing he can.

 

“I can’t do this right now,” he says softly, peeling her hands from his face and the sob that pulls from her throat lacerates him.

 

“God don’t,” Charlotte pleads, unable to stop the tears because somewhere deep down she had thought Trace was right. She thought that if she told Justin, flat out, he would finally see. And the realization that it’s not true, that he is going through with it, she can’t handle that. “Justin she’s not who she was! You don’t even know her anymore!”

 

She’s desperate now, clawing at his chest, her green eyes wide and he stands slow, shushing her softly, prying her hands away from him and holding her wrists steady. Something about her hysterics keeps him calm but even through the numbness he can feel something sharp pricking him inside as he pulls her away from him.

 

“Charlie,” he says evenly, holding her face in his hands and the pain deepens making him swallow hard as her hands clutch at his wrists.

 

“What’s her favorite song?” she asks, sniffling through her tears, fingers digging into the delicate skin of his inner wrists. His brows draw in confusion. “What’s mine?”

 

The End of the Innocence, his mind supplies immediately without so much as a hesitation at a guess.

 

“What’s her favorite color?” Charlotte tries again, searching his eyes and he frowns. It’s cream… isn’t it? Or it might have changed to coral, she’s worn a lot of coral lately. Blue? “What’s mine?”

 

Green, he thinks instantly and sighs in frustration, moving to release her face but her hands keep hold of his wrists.

 

“What is her biggest regret?” she asks and his mouth opens. “What’s mine?” Majoring in finance. “But none of that matters right?” she asks, wiping at her face angrily. “You have a lifetime to learn it all? How about this then; when was the last time she told you she was proud of you?” she asks and Justin blinks slowly, his mind racing as his breathing picks up. “When was the last time she called you other than to bitch? God, when was the last time she told you she loved you?”

 

“Just stop okay,” he says finally, shaking her off him in frustration, his mind racing to find answers to her questions but finds himself coming up blank. “None of that matters.”

 

“IT DOES MATTER!” she exclaims, her eyes searching his in disbelief. “Don’t you get it, you deserve someone who tells you they’re proud of what you’ve accomplished, that calls simply because they miss the sound of your voice,” Charlotte sobs and her hands hitting his chest ineffectually. “And you deserve to be with someone who tells you they love you every damn day!”

 

“Charlotte, I can’t-”

 

“DON’T YOU SEE THAT?” she bellows, shaking him slightly and his mask finally breaks, his hands coming up to grip her arms as his face screws up in annoyance.

 

“WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS!” he yells back, feeling a bead of sweat roll down his spine, his vision throbbing with the quick pounding of his heart.

 

“BECAUSE I LOVE YOU!”

 

Justin’s jaw falls slack, his breath sucked from his lungs as he stares at her in quiet disbelief and something in her words moves him, they way her face is screwed up in frustration and anger but her eyes are full and bright. She loves him. He feels lightheaded, more so than before but in a different way, breathless and tingling all over. She loves him!

 

Movement from just over her shoulder makes him jump and he can feel all the blood drain from his face as he sees Trace standing just inside the door staring at the two of them, his best friend’s face unreadable and a deep sense of panic washes over Justin. He had to know they’d be caught eventually, he just wishes it didn’t have to be by his best friend.

 

“Jesus Christ,” Justin mutters, turning his back on both of them, pinching the bridge of his nose between his fingers, his heart thudding so hard in his chest it hurts, sweat dripping down his face from his hairline.

 

“Sorry to interrupt,” Trace says slowly, looking from Justin to Charlotte, his own heart racing as hope blooms hot in his veins but is quickly snuffed out when Charlotte turns to face him, her tearstained face contorted in agony.

 

“No you’re fine,” she says, her voice in shambles as she crosses the room in quick jerky steps. “I tried.” She says as she approaches him, throwing one last glance over her shoulder at Justin who still has his back to them and she takes a shaky breath. “I’m done.”

 

Trace’s protest dies in his throat as she nudges past him and he watches in shock as she walks down the hall towards a side exit, her steps quickening as the sobs start to come harder, her hand coming up to cover her mouth to muffle the sound so it doesn’t echo off the stone walls. Justin watches her as well, though not so blatantly, his heart breaking with every step put between them and when she disappears around the doorframe he shuts his eyes against the steel knife that’s lodged itself in his throat making it hard for him to breathe.

 

Trace watches her break into a run as she hits the exit hard, the metal bar clanging loud in the cavernous hall and he’s temporarily blinded as she disappears into the afternoon light. When his vision comes back all he can see is her after image and he has to blink a few times before he turns back to Justin who’s standing helplessly in the middle of the room, his mouth open as he pulls in heavy gasps, his hand pressed against his base of his sternum.

 

“What the fuck are you waiting for?” Trace asks after a beat, his words startling Justin, his head jerking back as they reach his ears. “Go after her!” Trace flings an arm towards the hall and Justin swallows hard, his feet itching inside his dress shoes, wanting to run.

 

“The wedding…” he says weakly and Trace shakes his head.

 

“Don’t worry about that,” he replies hastily. “I’ll go out there and tell them it’s off. Me and Ginger will handle it. Go.”

 

Justin blinks at him. “What?”

 

“Yeah, you’re right not, Ginger,” he says, slipping his hand into his pocket and reaching for his phone. “I’ll call Rachel.”

 

“No,” Justin says, his brow creasing. “Trace, I’m not leaving! The wedding starts in twenty minutes.”

 

Trace blinks back at him. “but…but… Charlotte just told you she loves you.”

 

Justin sighs, gritting his teeth against the sudden stab of pain mixed with the flutter in his stomach. He can’t think about all that right now. One disaster at a time. He reaches for his suit jacket, shrugging it on his shoulders.

 

“We… should get out there.”

 

Justin moves to brush past him but Trace grabs him hard and Justin looks down at him bewildered to find his friend’s dark eyes on fire with anger.

 

“What the fuck do you mean?” he demands, his voice hard. “Charlotte just told you she loves you! She’s getting away!

 

“Trace, I really can’t deal with that right now.”

 

“The fuck you can’t!” Trace yells, giving Justin’s arm a violent shrug as he drops it. “Charlotte is perfect for you, you utter fucking moron.”

 

Justin’s brow draws in anger. “Look Trace, don’t talk about shit you don’t know nothin’ about.”

 

“The fuck I don’t!” Trace yells and then his anger morphs to pleading, his eyes begging him in a way Justin had never seen before. “Amelia is not the one Justin! Amelia is the opposite of the one. Charlotte is the one. She’s done everything she can to try and make you fucking see that!”

 

“I’m not walking out on my fiancé on our wedding day!” Justin yells, his voice breaking as the panic wells over, bringing a hand up to brush away the sweat rolling from his temples. “I know I’ve made a lot of fucked up decisions over the past couple of months but that’s not who I fucking am. I don’t walk out. I made a commitment and I’m-”

The look that Trace gives him cuts off his words, a fiery anger burning in his best friend’s eyes that he’s never seen before and then Trace laughs humorlessly, shaking his head and looking up at Justin with disbelief and unveiled pity. “You know she’s been chasing you around for awhile and eventually she's going to stop running in circles around you and waiting for you to wake the hell up...” Trace says quietly, nodding in a knowing way that makes Justin’s heart tremble. “She's going to get over you, really get over you and be gone. Not just for the afternoon or a day, really fucking gone and at that moment – when she does –“ Trace shakes his head sadly “You're going to wish you had let her catch you.”

 

Trace gives him one last sad look before shaking his head again in frustration and turning to leave nearly smacking into Isabel who comes to a skidding stop in front of the door. Her long dark hair looks like it was once twisted elegantly on top of her head but now has stray pieces tumbling down into her face, her cheeks pink from exertion, eyes panicked.

 

“It’s time,” she says, looking from Justin to Trace and back again before letting her eyes dart around the room. “You all haven’t seen Charlotte anywhere have you?”

 

Justin lets out a frustrated growl, storming past the both of them, his stomach tied in knots as he stomps down the hallway. Every part of his body is screaming, fighting with what he should do and what’s right, both of which switch places in his mind, back and forth, back and forth until he’s so overwhelmed he can’t see straight.

 

“There he is!” his mother exclaims her voice a little strained as he makes his way into the narthex and her false smile slides right off her face. “What’s wrong?”

 

“Nothing,” he grumbles, shaking his head slowly and he pretends not to notice the way she looks past him, searching out Trace asking silently for an explanation.

 

Patti breezes over, tutting over Justin’s tux and running a lint brush over his shoulders, straightening his tie which he wiggles away from, the feeling of her fingertips on his throat sending him into sensory overload and when he closes his eyes he sees green eyes staring back at him pleading.

 

He jumps at the feel of cloth against his forehead, jerking away quickly. “You’re sweating honey,” Lynn says delicately, pausing before reaching in again and dabbing at his face. “Are you sure you’re okay?”

 

She tries to hold his gaze but he looks resolutely at the doors leading into the church, hearing the murmur of thousands inside drowning out the string quartet. “I’m fine. Just nervous.”

 

“Alright people!” Patti says in a raised voice and Justin’s stomach lurches. “We’re going to do this just like we practiced. Groomsmen first, then our groom and his mother and then the bridesmaids. Remember quick but not too quick.”

 

She nods authoritatively and Justin finds himself mimicking the movement, finding encouragement in her assuredness. This is how it’s supposed to go. They practiced yesterday and it had gone smoothly enough. Well aside from Amelia changing the procession order about ten times. He takes a steadying breath as the doors are flung open, the long nave stretching before them, the strings amplifying and the murmurs hush as Patrick steps out taking slow steps down the aisle. He’s followed by Christian, then Sasha, then finally Trace who glances back at him over his shoulder ignoring Patti’s urging for a beat before shaking his head and trudging up the aisle.

 

“You look so handsome,” Lynn says, startling him as she reaches to blot his forehead again. “You’re happy?”

 

It’s a simple question to which the answer should undoubtedly be yes, seeing as it’s his wedding day, a day he’d been looking forward to for months, or had been until recently. His mother is looking at him, her eyes questioning and hopeful and he forces himself to smile, giving her his most practiced one, looking back down the aisle before he has a chance to see the twinge of sadness in her eyes.

 

“Don’t forget to smile!” Patti urges, beaming at him as she gives him a little nudge, his feet unsticking from the floor.

 

Walking down the aisle is a surreal experience for him. He knows that outwardly he’s on par, looking around and smiling, following the flashbulbs of the cameras, knowing that if Amelia doesn’t get good photos she’ll have his head. He nearly stumbles, his arm tightening around his mother’s and she grips his fist with her opposite hand, her palm nearly as clammy as his. Pachelbel’s Canon in D Major swirls around inside his head and one of the violins is just a hair out of tune, the tinny screech grating on his nerves but seeming to go unnoticed by everyone else. They reach the end where his father is already seated in the front row, watching him with a solemn expression that Justin can’t quite read. He feels Lynn take a deep breath as he slips his arm from hers, guiding her into the pew and she turns to him, placing her hands on his chest, opening her mouth to speak. His heart thumps unevenly at the way she steels herself.

 

“I love you, Mom,” he blurts, almost spastically and her eyes hold his a beat before her mouth shuts, giving him the smile she always gives when he says it.

 

“I love you too, son,” she says, reaching to adjust his tie and he shrinks back slightly, his mind racing back to not thirty-minutes prior. He wonders where she’s at now.

 

“I gotta go,” he breathes, swallowing hard as he turns away, taking deep gulps of air as he walks up the five steps to where the groomsmen are waiting for him with the minister.

 

“Still time,” Trace mutters out the corner of his mouth, smiling tensely out at the nearly full church as Justin turns to face the crowd.

 

“Don’t,” Justin breathes thinly as a crippling sense of stage fright washes over him, feeling a bead of sweat slide down the side of his face as he begins to watch the bridesmaids make their procession down the aisle.

 

“I’ll race you back down the aisle,” Trace mutters, half joking and half serious and if Justin hadn’t been so keyed up he might have cracked a smile.

 

“Stop,” he mutters, his breath hitching in his throat as he watches Bianca take her place next to Annelise, Arden, and Danielle and the last chord of the violins flutter into silence.

 

He jumps as if the ringing first notes of the bridal chorus had been gunshots, his stomach dropping as the back doors swing open again, revealing Amelia, standing tall next to her father and he feels lightheaded, swaying ever so slightly on his feet.

 

“Loser buys beer,” Trace murmurs, placing a steadying hand on his back, which Justin shrugs off glaring at him from the corner of his eye.

“Shut. Up,” he grits, trying to focus on Amelia gliding gracefully towards him.

 

She’s still nearly fifty-yards away, her dress blinding white even in the soft candle lit glow of the church. She’s stunning, absolutely breathtaking, the bodice of her dress tight right down to the flair of her hips where it explodes in fabric that’s gathered and ruffled, rouched and folded nearly three time as wide as herself. Her hair is pulled back away from her face, hidden in the back by her veil that flutters out behind her as she walks. He tries to catch her eye but she’s not looking at him, busy preening with all eyes on her.

 

He’s struck suddenly by questions, what is her favorite color, her biggest regret? When was the last time she felt proud of him? When was the last time he’d made her laugh, really laugh. He’s overrun by the memory of sitting on his porch in Memphis with his three best friends, drinking themselves silly and that dimple in her right cheek.

 

He can’t do this. The feeling is sudden and arresting, nearly buckling his knees and he feels Trace’s hand come up against his back again. He doesn’t know why he couldn’t see it before, couldn’t feel it before but now watching her lift her dress to take her final steps towards him nothing has ever felt more wrong to him in his life. He glances over at Trace whose brows are drawn in concern, his hand still steady against the roundest part of his back, eyes asking a million questions.

 

He hears Amelia’s sharp hiss, his attention immediately drawn back to her and he finds her standing at the top of the steps just like they practiced, waiting for him to come to her so they can walk together towards the minister. He hesitates, heart hammering in his chest feeling like his feet are stuck to the floor.

 

“Justin?” Trace whispers, his voice barely a breath as Amelia’s eyes flare, holding her hand out to him.

 

Her movement sparks him, stumbling slightly toward her and she looks relieved, taking his hand in hers. He sees the slight wrinkle of her nose.

 

“You’re sweating,” she says through her smile and he swallows hard nodding.

 

“S-sorry,” he stutters watching her heave a small sigh and pluck the royal purple handkerchief from his breast pocket.

 

The crowd gives and audible “awww” as she wipes his face for him, his nerves settling a little at her tenderness. Maybe it all is just cold feet he muses as she takes care to fold the handkerchief and stuff it back into his pocket, patting his chest and giving him a genuine smile. When was the last time he’d made her smile like that?

 

“What’s your favorite color?” he asks suddenly and the smile slips off her face, blinking at him slowly.

 

“What?” she asks, a slight chuckle pulling from her throat as she begins to turn away, keeping one of his hands in hers as she moves to step towards the minister.

 

He tugs her back. “Seriously what is it?” he questions, that panic creeping back in and her eyes go deadly, her fingernails digging into the back of his hand.

 

“What are you talking about?” she hisses, giving an impatient tug on his hand. “Who cares what it is? Come on.

 

He tugs her back, pulling her close, his heart thundering in his chest, feeling as if it’s being torn in two separate directions. She looks up at him from under long lashes, her ice blue eyes annoyed and a little fearful, asking him a thousand questions and a million threats in one look.

 

“Promise me you’ll love me forever,” he breathes shakily watching her eyebrows raise at the rawness in his voice. “Promise you’ll hold my heart and keep it safe and-”

 

“Justin,” she sighs impatiently, shifting uncomfortably as the crowd begins to titter. “I know you wanted us to recite our own vows but this is not the time! Now come on!” she spits, turning resolutely towards the minister and yanking his arm hard, jerking him off balance so that he stumbles forward.

 

He’s not listening as the minister tells them why they’re gathered, misses the silent conversation that passes between Trace and his mother when they ask if anyone objects to this union, Lynn holding up her palm to tell Trace to hold his peace. He’s too caught up in the fact that this is so horribly wrong, that he’s made the worse kind of mistake and now he’s standing up here swearing in front of God and country that this is what he wants for the rest of his life.

 

His eyes widen, feeling all the blood drain from his face as he watches Amelia listening intently to the minister, asking her if she can love him for better or for worse, in sickness and in health, for richer or poorer. The rest of his life.

 

He has a fleeting memory of Charlotte ascending the staircase on his birthday, her lashes fanning against her cheekbones as she watched her feet make careful work of each step and when her eyes had met his, his entire body had exploded in tingles and he hadn’t been able to stop the smile on his face.

 

“Do you Justin, take Amelia to be your lawfully wedded wife, for better of for worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, and forsaking all others, keep yourself only unto her, for so long as you both shall live?”

 

The silence stretches and Amelia’s hands are holding his in a vice, fingernails digging into his skin hard enough to draw blood and he has to blink hard to rid himself of his reminiscence, the cold stone of realization settling in his belly at the thought that he chose this life. His eyes flick out over the crowd, finding his mother’s face, fearful and holding her breath, then his father’s expression almost just as anxious, and next to him his grandfather with his chin tipped up, watching Justin steadily.

 

“We raised you to stand up and take responsibility, and you have and we’re proud but boy you run.”

 

He steels himself, turning back to Amelia who is now wringing his hands in hers, eyes pleading as the tittering of the crowd turns to murmurs. He’s had every opportunity to get out of this and now standing here in front of a woman he promised to share the rest of his life with he knows he has to stop running and take responsibility for the decisions he’s made. He takes a shaking breath.

 

“I do.”

End Notes:
Just a note to those who follow my website as well, my url has changed to http://heavensborrowedthings.com so update your bookmarks!
Chapter 33 by SomethingBlue42

The lobby of the Vivace Building doesn’t have its usual bustle at six a.m., just some security guards and a few frazzled assistants hurrying through the lobby and for once Charlotte isn’t one of them. She’s come in early of her own volition today, forgoing her usual dress and heels, opting instead for a pair of old jeans and sneakers that squeak against the polished tile floor.

 

Today Charlotte is quitting.

 

The decision had been easy, one of the only things that had been during the two days she’d lain in bed nursing what felt like a gaping hole in her chest. She’d been amazed at how much he could still hurt her, even though he was gone and had been gone for awhile. She’d shifted from crippling sadness to fiery anger and back again, finally giving in and calling her mother in tears. If she was disappointed in Charlotte she hadn’t let on, just listened to her while she cried and lamented about how stupid she’d been, offering the only words a mother can in a situation where their child’s heart has been broken beyond repair; “I’m so sorry honey.”

 

She’d written her resignation email last night – Dear Ms. Domineck, I regretfully inform you that I will be leaving my position as your assistant effective immediately due to personal issues. – and was fully prepared to never set foot in the office again but little things kept nagging at her. That photo of her family on the Fourth of July that she kept propped up against her computer monitor, the sweater Felicity had insisted she buy that she left hanging on the back of her chair, the handful of seashells she and Justin had collected on the beach in L.A.

 

She closes her eyes against the memory, saying this will be quick. No one will be in the office and she can just grab her shit and go. She lets herself into the dark outer office, frowning as her key turns too easily in the lock. Her brow creases as she steps inside, a thin shaft of light falling from the crack left in Amelia’s office door and her stomach falls realizing she should have known that Amelia would try and get some work in before her flight left for her honeymoon later in the morning.

 

She tiptoes quietly around her desk, blood pounding in her ears as she snatches the photograph and the sweater, pausing before easing her middle drawer open slowly and letting her fingers run over the shells before nudging it closed again. That’s when she hears it, a soft gurgling noise from behind the office door followed by a thump-- the sound of papers sliding to the floor. Her heart nearly stops when she hears the dull hum of a male voice.

 

A male voice that isn’t Justin’s.

 

***

 

It’s entirely too early for Justin to be awake much less huffing and puffing his way through Central Park but restlessness chased sleep away far too quickly this morning and moving felt like his only option besides insanity. His shoes barely make a sound on the pavement but his body feels heavy, like his every step shakes the earth, his arms leaden weights at his sides.

 

He’s been married two whole days now, that fact that this seems like some sort of accomplishment scaring him and the thought propels him faster, legs pumping, heart pumping and he tries to take in more air to alleviate the tightness in his chest. His mind keeps wandering back to that one moment, looking at Amelia as she lifted her dress to climb the few steps towards him, when it had hit him so suddenly that this wasn’t what he’d wanted. At the time he’d thought it’d been too late to stop it, trying to logic that he was just being silly and the feeling would pass once the whole wedding craziness was over. But since then the only thing that had passed was seventy-two hours and that moment still played naggingly over and over in his head.

 

That and Charlotte’s face when she’d told him she loved him.

 

He snaps his eyes shut, picking up his pace and darting around a couple college girls jogging lazily down the path. He can’t think about her now without his chest feeling like it’s caving into a gaping hole above his sternum. But thoughts of her can’t be avoided, her face, her hair, her scent driven into his brain and those last moments, her tearstained face and her begging eyes won’t leave him. He’d tried everything, packed for his honeymoon, made love to his wife, even organized the desk in the office but everything was tainted. A shirt he was folding into his suitcase is one that Charlotte had encouraged him to buy when they were in LA together, sex with Amelia was more a test in keeping focus than a search for pleasure, and while going through envelopes in the office he’d unearthed the photos from his birthday party, among them shots of he and Charlotte together. He wondered how he hadn’t seen it then, the way she looked at him, the smile stretched wide across his face when he looked back at her. He’d cared for her so deeply even then.

 

He knows he’s the worst kind of ass, the most selfish of bastards and even though he knows there’s no way to make it right, he longs to try. He wants nothing more than to grab her and hold her and whisper apologies into her hair, to pour out his regret and sadness and seek the comfort she always gave. He snorts. Even when he’s trying to make amends he still can’t keep from being selfish.

 

More than anything else he longs to see her again, look at her with new eyes that now understand what it is to lose her. It’s not a good idea, he thinks to himself as he chugs along, slowing slightly as a cramp curls in his side. He’s resigned to his new life as Amelia Domineck’s husband and everything that goes along with that title, letting go of everything that doesn’t, like music and humor and the girl who loves him and he refuses to admit that he loves back.

 

***

 

Charlotte doesn’t know what it is inside her that propels her forward, that has her fingertips pressing to the wood of Amelia’s office door and nudging it so it swings open slowly, the low creak that Amelia was always bitching about sounding in the silent office. Their heads flick towards Charlotte instantly, Amelia immediately tugging her blouse closed, and through her shock Charlotte manages to think this is the only time she’s ever seen Amelia flustered. The older man who had been standing between her legs steps back and Charlotte looks at the ground as he buttons his trousers and buckles his belt.

 

“What are you doing here?” Amelia asks, her voice not holding its usual edge but one of a different kind and Charlotte looks up to find her scrambling off the edge of her desk and straightening her skirt down her legs.

 

“I…I…” Charlotte stutters meekly, her mind still reeling, grasping for something to say.

 

“Get out,” Amelia says lowly, her blue eyes on fire with rage and that look should have Charlotte trembling but it has no effect on her now as the shock wanes and anger ignites inside her

 

“How could you do this to him?” Charlotte asks, her voice astonished and hurt almost as if she were the one Amelia had betrayed.

 

The older man shifts awkwardly, running a hand over his salt and pepper hair. “I’ll call you,” he says lowly, his hand brushing Amelia’s and sharing a look with her before he gives Charlotte a tense smile and nudges past her. “Charlotte.”

 

“Arthur,” Charlotte replies dumbly nodding as he nods at her, the casual politeness almost comical with the electricity in the air.

 

“How could you, Amelia,” Charlotte asks again once he’s gone, her brow creasing as she takes in Amelia’s defiant stare. “He… he fucking loves you. He gave up everything for you!”

 

“I don’t see how it’s any of your business,” Amelia says loftily, an icy edge to her tone that suggests the subject is closed as she rounds her desk. “Now if you would leave my office-”

 

“You don’t even love him do you?” Charlotte asks in amazement. “He’s just some… thing that you can control.”

 

Charlotte’s hands are shaking, knowing she’s not making much sense but Amelia’s complete lack of shame has her thrown. How could someone so undeserving have everything that Charlotte wants and not even want it herself? The unfairness of it is almost too much for Charlotte to bear.

 

“My relationship with Justin is none of your concern,” Amelia replies as she sifts through papers on her desk, her voice indifferent as if Charlotte had merely walked in on her reading the newspaper instead of cheating on her husband and something inside Charlotte snaps.

 

“You’re right Amelia it’s not my concern,” she spits, the sarcasm in her voice causing Amelia’s eyes to lift to hers. “It never fucking has been. Except every time you hurt him, every time you let him down, or pushed him to be something he didn’t want to be he would come to me. I was the person who was there for him, who picked him up when you fucking knocked him down.”

 

“Oh please Charlotte you were never anything more than someone he could whine to,” Amelia replies, her face screwing up in annoyance. “You told him what he wanted to hear when he wanted to hear it and patted him on the head when he didn’t get his way. You were the one that put up with all the things I wouldn’t deal with.”

 

“Maybe I was!” Charlotte exclaims tears stinging her eyes as the anger burns hot in her veins, hating Amelia for getting right down to the heart of her insecurities and just chipping away at everything she believed in. “Maybe I was just the girl who let him bitch and bend her over his desk but that doesn’t change the fact that-”

 

“What did you say?” Amelia asks the hint of laughter mixed with disbelief in her voice and it takes Charlotte a moment to realize what she’d said.

 

All the air sucks from her lungs as her stomach clenches painfully at the realization that her mouth has once again run away from her. Amelia’s ice-cold eyes are calculating, her body perfectly still as she turns to face her, a hand settling on her hip.

 

“I…I…”

 

“Please,” Amelia mocks, nodding at Charlotte to continue. “Tell me more about how my husband bent you over his desk.”

 

Charlotte is silent, shame and embarrassment heating her cheeks and she can’t look at Amelia. As often as she’d fantasized about telling Amelia about her and Justin, imagined the look of fury or hurt or regret on Amelia’s face she never thought she’d actually do it. Amelia’s reaction is none of what Charlotte thought it would be. She’s not hurt or angry or sad, if anything she’s smug, a reaction that instills nothing but dread in Charlotte.

 

“Tell me all about what you two did,” Amelia says her eyes alight with malice. “And remind yourself of how none of it was enough to make him choose you.” Charlotte gasps as the pain comes cold and sharp and she didn’t think it was possible to hate Amelia more than she already did, her fists balling at her sides to fight the tears that blur her vision. “You were nothing but something quick and dirty when he couldn’t deal with all of me.”

 

“He came to me because he needed someone to be there for him,” Charlotte finds herself insisting, cursing the warble in her voice, hating herself for saying anything at all.

 

Amelia snorts, her eyes mocking. “He came to you because you opened your legs.”

 

She turns to her desk then, dismissing Charlotte with not so much as a flick of a hand and Charlotte has never felt more ashamed or worthless, regret and anger bitter in her mouth as she shakes her head, turning slowly to the door and wishing she would have left when her instincts told her to. Instead she is slinking away with her tail between her legs one last time, the injustice of this setting her jaw and hardening her eyes as she stomps out of the office, the banging of the door behind her not nearly enough to covey her rage.

 

***

 

Justin stands on the sidewalk, blinking up at the early morning sunlight that blinks off the Vivace building. His feet had followed his wandering mind and it had led him here, where his wife was working forty floors up but he knew it wasn’t her that brought him here. He wasn’t usually one for wallowing. In the past he’d gather himself, write a song and let it go but this was new territory for him. The lines of what he should do and what is right are tangled and blurred causing him to edge around his emotions with extreme caution and nudge against the boundaries he’d carefully laid in his mind when he’d take his vows.

 

There was no way that Charlotte would be here now, of that he was fairly certain. It’s too early and he thinks he knows her well enough to discern that she wouldn’t come in until after he and Amelia had left for France. It’s this assuredness that makes the sight of her bursting out the front door nearly buckle his knees.

 

Even from fifty feet away he can see that she’s distraught, fingers tangling in the hair that had whipped against her cheek, pulling it from her mouth and hurrying away as if her feet couldn’t move fast enough. His sneakers feel as if they’re stuck to the pavement even though his legs are itching to run, towards her and away from everything else, pushing at the boundaries but not breaking through. He closes his eyes as she disappears around the corner, running off to wherever it is she’s going and forcing himself not to think about it anymore. He’d already pushed her away and now it was really time to let go.

 

He takes the elevator up to Amelia’s office, telling himself that had been his plan all along, that he’d wanted to see her, that the few hours they’d spent apart was too much, forcing himself to believe it.

 

He steps into the outer offices just in time to see a picture frame go flying across the space viewable through the doorway of Amelia’s office, the sound of glass breaking causing him to jump, taking hurried footsteps to the door way. He looks inside just in time to see a vase go flying, hitting the side table behind the couch and shattering as well.

 

“What the hell are you-?” Justin starts, looking at her in astonishment but his words are cut off when her eyes meet his.

 

Amelia’s chest heaves under her blouse, her hair tussled and unkempt as if she’d run her hands through it, pulling and tugging on it in frustration. Her face is red and blotchy, eyes on fire but dry and his stomach turns cold at the look of unhindered rage on her face.

 

“You… you…how dare you,” Amelia snarls, her hands grappling around on her desk for something to throw.

 

Her fingers close around a glass paperweight and she rears back, lobbing it at his head but he doesn’t even have to move, her aim off by a good two feet. He merely looks at the dent in the drywall dumbly before blinking back at her.

 

“Did you know she was going to show up here this morning?” Amelia demands anger storming in her ice blue eyes.

 

“What are you talking about?” Justin asks and she reaches for something else to throw, grunting as she hurls her stapler in his direction, coming close enough that Justin sidesteps the doorway, looking at her in astonishment.

 

“I’m talking about your girlfriend coming in here this morning and informing me that you bent her over your desk,” Amelia yells and Justin’s eyes widen, feeling his stomach turn cold.

 

“Charlotte?” he asks thinly and he watches Amelia scoff, her hands scrambling across the desk looking for something else to throw.

 

“HAVE THERE BEEN MORE?” Amelia screeches and Justin winces, her voice loud enough to break glass as she hurls a handful of pens at him. “After everything we’ve been through,” more pens fly in his direction, “all the years we’ve been together.” He curls, turning his body half away to shield himself from her assault. “How could you do this to me???”

 

“Amelia, I-” he starts, searching for the words, but is cut off as his phone vibrates in the pocket of his basketball shorts.

 

“Is that her?” Amelia asks, her eyes on fire and Justin shakes his head, not even reaching for the phone. “It is isn’t it?”

 

Justin huffs frustrated, shoving his hand in his pocket to rip out his phone, ready to show her proof. “Amelia, it’s not-” but the words turn to ash in his mouth as he sees CHARLIE flashing in green across his outer screen.

 

“Go ahead,” Amelia replies coldly, crossing her arms over her chest and he swallows hard as her eyes lacerate him. “Answer it.”

 

“No, I-” he starts, moving to slip his phone back into his pocket but Amelia’s eyes flare.

 

Answer it!” she screeches, causing Justin’s entire body to tense, his thumb slipping between to flip his phone open.

 

***

 

Charlotte listens as the phone rings, her eyes closing as she leans against a store front, pedestrians rushing past her and everything inside her is telling her to hang up. She doesn’t owe him a damn thing, not after everything he’d put her through but there was still a part of her that hoped, that thought maybe if he knew he’d finally see. She wondered how almost every part of her knew it wouldn’t be the case but that little piece of her heart that still belonged to Justin won the judgment call every time.

 

“Charlotte now is the worst possible time-” he breathes quickly by way of greeting and she bites her bottom lip hard at the sound of his voice summoning every ounce of courage she has.

 

“She’s cheating on you.”

 

The line is silent, nothing but static and the city bustle around her, not even her breath which she holds trapped in her lungs awaiting his response. Which is an uneventful, albeit astonished sounding, “What?”

 

“She’s cheating on you,” Charlotte repeats, the warble in her voice evident and she curses it. “I went to get my stuff this morning and she was there with him. I walked in on them.” She pauses shifting uncomfortably. “Are… are you there?”

 

“Yeah,” is his only response, his voice low and without emotion.

 

“I shouldn’t have told you,” she sighs, letting her head hang back, bringing a hand up to run over her face. “God knows I don’t owe you a fucking thing but…” she hears him swallow hard before she sighs again. “you needed to know.”

 

She pauses waiting for Justin to say something but he doesn’t. She grits her teeth hard as her vision blurs over, letting her head fall back hard against the cement of the building, fingers curling hard around her phone.

 

“Justin-” she starts, her voice a warning, patience hanging by a thread but he cuts her off.

 

“Now’s not a good time,” he says evenly, his voice barely in control and her mouth pops open in shock.

 

“Right,” she replies, sniffing hard as she wipes away a stray tear angrily. “Sorry to bother you,” she adds bitterly and then because she can’t stop herself she adds, “you know you two fucking deserve each other. I hope you live happily ever after,” before snapping her phone shut angrily.

 

***

 

Justin listens to the sharp snap as the call is cut off, staring resolutely down at the floor. His limbs tingle as adrenaline races through his veins, his pounding heart feeling as if it’s battering his ribs and sternum, a sensation he’s familiar with but had hoped he’d never feel again. He inhales shakily and it’s as if the air is on fire, burning his lungs and scorching its way through his chest. When he looks up at Amelia the defiance in her expression dulls, mixing with apprehension as she shifts from one foot to the other.

 

Justin takes another shaking breath, realizing that he’s still holding the silent phone to his ear. He pulls it away slowly, looking down at it before curling his thumb around it and letting it close slowly. He blinks down at the floor, shaking his head as he breathes a disbelieving laugh while slipping his phone back into his pocket.

 

“You’re…” he starts, his voice a disbelieving rasp. He shakes his head again, clearing his throat. “You’re cheating on me.”

 

His own assuredness surprises him, the sentence leaving his lips with no hint of a question and that’s when the last several months come vividly into focus. The late dinners and early meetings, cocktails after work and long lunches. How could he have been so completely blind? Then again it wasn’t as if he’d hadn’t been doing the exact same thing.

 

“Well…” she says, crossing her arms tightly over her chest, tipping her chin up. “You’re cheating on me.”

 

“No I called it off with Charlotte months ago. Because I was trying to make us work,” Justin finds himself yelling, jabbing his thumb into his chest as the hurt burns away to anger. “Because I loved you and thought that you loved me too and now I find out this bullshit?”

 

“Of course I love you, Justin,” she says with a roll of her eyes as if he were stupid for even mentioning it.

 

“You’re up here with some guy two fucking days after our wedding!” he yells, the indecency of it all boiling inside him, the unfairness and all of the breath sucks from his lungs as he finally comes to realize that this isn’t a mistake he can force himself to live with. “Oh my god what have I done?” Justin breathes, his eyes moving back and forth across the floor but he sees nothing but Charlotte running from the room and him being too stupid to stop her.

 

“Justin,” Amelia says calmly, letting her arms fall to her sides, her voice holding a diplomatic air. “We’ve both… we’ve both done things that-”

 

“I can’t,” he breathes, shaking his head eyes wide in disbelief as he reaches for the back of the couch to keep his balance. “I can’t believe this. I can’t believe I did this.”

 

“It’s alright,” Amelia says crossing the room to him and placing a hand on his shoulder. “It’s done and we just need to forgive each other and move o-”

 

“It’s not alright,” Justin says, the fire in his eyes cutting off her words and she blinks back at him bewildered. “None of this is alright.”

 

“Okay well we can fix it,” Amelia says and he can tell she’s fighting the roll of her eyes, impatience causing the corners of her mouth to turn down.

 

“No this can’t be fixed,” Justin says before he can really even process what he’s saying but as soon as the words leave his lips it’s as if a giant weight has been lifted from his shoulders. It can’t be fixed; no matter how hard he tries, no matter how much distance he puts between himself and Charlotte – this isn’t about he and Charlotte – this, between he and Amelia, can’t be mended. He looks at her steadily, his eyes holding hers as he says the first honest thing to her in god knows how long. “We can’t fix this, Amelia.”

 

She’s visibly flustered, stuttering a little before anger smolders in her ice blue eyes. “What do you mean we can’t fix this.”

 

“It’s… it’s been over for awhile,” Justin says softly, heaving a sigh of defeat and her eyebrows race to her hairline, a disbelieving laugh sucking from her throat she looks as if she’s been sucker punched.

 

“Don’t… don’t be ridiculous,” she says, trying to keep the humor in her voice but Justin can hear the underlying panic. “You can’t mean tha-”

 

“Amelia,” Justin says with a sigh, his eyes boring into hers, saying a million things without speaking and he watches her face pucker, her neck turning red.

 

“What so you just want to… to…” she stutters, gesturing wildly between them. “We’ve been together for three years. We just got married.”

 

“I know,” Justin says, closing his eyes as if the thought physically pains him. “I know it’s bad timing-”

 

“Bad timing?” Amelia scoffs in disbelief and Justin winces at his poor choice of words. “I’m so sorry our marriage didn’t fit into your schedule.”

 

“That’s not what I meant-”

 

“After everything I’ve done for you,” Amelia goes on, her fists balling at her sides as her body tenses. “All the sacrifices I’ve made-”

 

“The sacrifices you’ve made?” Justin asks, his face screwing up as his anger gets the best of him. “What fucking sacrifices have you made?”

 

“Justin I have done nothing but try and make you and your label successful since we got together. I put you with people who normally wouldn’t have given you the time of day. I put my reputation on the line so that you could succeed and-”

 

“That’s it?” Justin asks with a disbelieving scoff and Amelia’s brow creases, her lips puckering showing that’d he’d wounded her but he goes on fueled by rage and all the things he’d left unsaid for too long. “I gave up my life for you Amelia. My music, my family, my friends and you think you sacrificed because you lost a little clout with the big boys in the suits? You don’t know what sacrifice is.

 

“My reputation is all I have!” Amelia says, her voice breaking as it raises and his anger finally reaches its breaking point.

 

“No it isn’t you have me!” he yells back, throat constricting. “You had all of me Amelia. Every piece,” he releases a shaky sigh as his emotions well and he looks down, striving for composure. “I gave you everything,” he goes on, his voice low and uneven but when he looks at her it gains strength, “and you took it all and then asked for more and gave me nothing back.”

 

“Gave you nothing back?” she screeches, eyes flaring and he winces. “I gave you everything. I made you what you are!”

 

“A miserable coward? Yeah you did. Thanks for that.”

 

His bitterness shocks her, her mouth popping open and he grits his teeth letting his head tip back as he takes a slow calming breath before letting his eyes fall on her again. Her jaw is set now, eyes angry and confused, fists balled petulantly at her sides and he wants nothing more than to take the easy way out and draw her into his arms, tell her its alright and that they would talk about all of this later. But later is now and he’s been putting this conversation off for entirely too long.

 

“Amelia, we can’t do this anymore,” he says softly, reaching out to cup her bicep and she jumps at the contact, looking dumbly at his hand on her skin. “We’ve got to-”

 

“Look, I’m sorry about this morning,” she says hastily, panic lacing her words. “I wasn’t thinking. I’m sorry. I forgive you for your indiscretion with Charlotte.” She moves to turn away from him but his grip on her arm is firm.

 

She looks back at him, trying to hide her hurt with frustration but a doleful look from him causes her to blink slow and press her lips together, letting out a slow resigning breath. She doesn’t look at him, just reaches for his other hand and threads her fingers through his, the coolness of his wedding band shocking her searing skin.

 

“What does this mean?” she questions softly, her fingers squeezing around his and he squeezes back, his chest ripping open.

 

“You know what it means,” he replies lowly and when she looks up at him her eyes are wet, tears brimming on her lower lids and it sucks the air right from his lungs.

 

They just stare at each other for a moment, speaking to each other in a look, Justin searching for any sign to turn back but for the first time he finds none. He can see her looking for a way to change his mind, words to say to get him to drop this, admit he’s being silly and that they can rectify this somehow. He gives a slight shake of his head, hating that it has to be this way, feeling as if his guts are being torn apart from inside.

 

She sniffles looking down at their joined hands. “I’ll have my lawyer contact yours.”


She drops his hand quickly, turning her back to him and quickly walking towards her desk, busying herself by shuffling papers across the surface. His brow creases, wishing there was something he could say, something he could do but he’d said it before and it was true. There was no fixing this.

 

“Amelia-”

 

“Just go,” is her broken and warbling reply and even though she can’t see him he nods, turning to leave and pauses at the door for one last glance over his shoulder, saying a silent goodbye to her and everything they’d shared.

Chapter 34 by SomethingBlue42
“Holy shit!”

 

Justin lowers his head, wincing as he glances around the bar, its few occupants looking up in curiosity at his best friend’s exclamation. He looks down into the open mouth of his beer bottle, rolling it back and forth between his palms, avoiding Trace’s astonished gaze, his stomach leaden with misery.

 

It had taken him two days to call his best friend, that time spent holed up in a hotel room, watching a blank television screen and wondering how the hell he’d managed to fuck up so royally. Mistakes weren’t his forte. He’d made careful and calculated decisions in his career and his personal life ever since he was a teenager but laying in the dark on rented sheets taking a long hard look at the past few weeks, months, years he still couldn’t find where the thread had begun to unravel. Even with the clarity of hindsight he still wasn’t entirely sure where he’d gone so completely wrong. He felt lost but now he wasn’t just trapped in the maze of his doomed relationship; he was set adrift and on his own. That fact had him almost missing the comfort of his trapped relationship, a thought that frightened him so much that he pulled Trace off a flight that was already halfway down the tarmac. 

 

“Holy. Shit.”

 

“Stop saying that,” Justin says, reaching up to scratch his ear self-consciously, curling his shoulders in.

 

“You really said the thing… about her making you a miserable coward?” Trace asks in utter disbelief and Justin brings his hands to his face and rubs hard.

 

“Yes,” he replies lifelessly and Trace’s guffaw of laughter makes Justin wince.

 

“Holy fuckin’ shit,” Trace replies giving an astonished shake of his head as he takes a sip of his beer and he can’t contain his elation.

 

“Please stop,” Justin says, a whine lacing his words as he throws a pained glance in Trace’s direction.

 

“I’m so happy for you man,” Trace says clapping him on the shoulder as he sets his bottle down on the table. “Drinks for everybody!” he exclaims and Justin rolls his eyes before shooting his friend a disdainful look.

 

“Yeah I’m fine by the way. Thanks for asking,” Justin says the hard edge of sarcasm in his voice wiping the smile right off of his best friend’s face.

 

“I just figured-”

 

“What that I’d be jumping for fucking joy?” Justin accuses. “My wife cheated on me and my marriage is fucking over four days after it started. Drinks for fucking everybody.”

 

He scowls deeply, snatching his beer bottle and draining it before letting it slam back down, Trace wincing in response. He watches Justin for a long moment, taking in the misery drawn so plainly across his best friend’s face and feels sheepish for being so callous. He nudges his own near empty bottle further up the table.

 

“Hey…” he says lowly, shifting awkwardly in his chair. “I’m sorry… I didn’t mean-”

 

“You know I get that you didn’t understand why I even bothered,” Justin says bitterly. “Nobody fucking did. And maybe that’s where my mistake was. I should have listened. But goddammit Trace I loved her.” He closes his eyes, resting his elbows on the table and leaning his forehead on his clenched fists. “This fucking sucks.”

 

Trace presses his lips together and lets a hand fall heavily on the roundest part of Justin’s back, patting him hard. “It’s for the best.”

 

“Don’t fucking patronize me asshole,” Justin snarls and Trace’s hand falls away, flopping back in his chair in frustration.

 

“Well what do you want me to say Justin?” Trace asks, watching Justin let his breath out slow as if Trace were testing his patience. “Congratulations on making a succession of shitty life choices?” Justin glares at him from the corner of his eye. “You’ve been kind enough to never say that to me so I figured I’d return the favor.”

 

“Thanks,” Justin replies with sarcasm, his hands falling against the table with a thud.

 

“You’re welcome,” Trace says with mock sincerity and Justin sighs. “So… how’s this gonna go down?”

 

Justin sucks in a breath and lets it out slow, his cheeks puffing out as he shakes his head. “I dunno. She said she’d have her lawyer contact mine.”

 

“Annulment?”

 

Justin cringes. “Probably.”

 

“For the best.”

 

“Stop fucking saying that.”

 

“You said it yourself, man. You loved her.” Trace says and Justin looks at him perplexed. “Loved. Past tense.”

 

“And that’s supposed to make this any fucking easier?” Justin asks angrily and cringes as the waitress comes by, setting another beer in front of each of them and quietly taking away their empty bottles.

 

“Yeah,” Trace says quietly as the waitress leaves. “Justin you knew it was over,” he says soberly and Justin shakes his head, leaning back in his chair, his jaw set stubbornly. “If it wasn’t there would have been no way you would have given Charlotte a second look.”

 

Justin sucks in his breath at the sound of her name, closing his eyes on the vision of her pleading face, begging him not to go through with the wedding. His chest feels hot, a deep ache throbbing quick in his sternum before subsiding.

 

“Don’t-”

 

“Does she know?” Trace asks and Justin looks at him for a beat before reaching for his bottle and giving his head a quick shake before taking a drink. “When are you going to tell her?” Justin refuses to look at him and Trace scowls. “Look just because I said I wasn’t gonna hassle you on your recent shitty life choices doesn’t mean I’m gonna sit by and watch you make more.”

 

“What do you want me to do Trace?” Justin exclaims, his eyes holding Trace’s just long enough for his friend to see the misery there. Justin looks away shaking his head. “I screwed it up,” he grumbles, bringing his bottle to his lips and taking a deep drink.

 

“So you’re just gonna give up?” Trace asks dubiously. “Let her walk away?”

 

“I’m not giving up,” Justin replies peevishly, shifting uncomfortably in his chair. “I’m just not… I’m not gonna… it’s too soon …or too late…fuck I don’t know.”

 

“I don’t see why you’re stalling,” Trace pushes and Justin glares at him.

 

“Stalling? It’s been two days!” Justin exclaims, nervous heat traveling through his limbs and making his palms clammy.

 

“You can’t tell me that after everything you and Charlotte have been through together she wasn’t the first person on your mind when you left that office two days ago.” Trace gives him a hard look and Justin rolls his eyes looking away. “Look, it was obvious to me since the moment I fucking met the girl that she was perfect for you. It was obvious to everyone. But you. And even after you were with her you still didn’t see it. I know you loved her-”

 

Of course I love her!” he exclaims, his chest heaving and he brings a hand to his forehead, his temples throbbing from the stress. “But I’m not gonna just go running back to her because my marriage fell apart. She doesn’t deserve that. She doesn’t-”

 

“Love,” Trace interrupts and Justin looks up at him quizzically finding his friend smirking knowingly at him. “Present tense.”

 

Justin growls, fighting the urge to slam his head down on the table, opting to fold his arms and rest his forehead on them instead. He feels Trace pat his back again, his little chuckle making Justin grit his teeth. His eyes close, letting his memory run, sprinting back through the past several months, past the sex that made everything complicated to before when she’d just been the girl who made him laugh. The girl who encouraged him and believed in him, who tried to make it right when he was doing everything all wrong. He remembers her smile, that little dimple in her cheek that he’d never gotten the chance to kiss even though it was something he’d always wanted to do. He remembers the giggle she would always try to suppress, how it would surface and he would turn to look at her in time to find her hand coming to cover her mouth and a guilty expression in her eyes. He chuckles to himself at the memory. God he’d loved her even then.

 

But now she was gone.

 

“You know… my granddad asked me one time…” Trace says after a moment and Justin looks up at him miserably, watching his best friend swallow, his face contemplative as he eyes the beer bottle in his hand. “He said,” he clears his throat lowering his voice ‘Trace, you get a girl in trouble?’” A ghost of a smile passes over his face at the memory, his eyes finally meeting Justin’s. “And I was like ‘Nah Pops, she’s not pregnant.’” Trace smiles, pushing out a disbelieving cough of a laugh. “And you know what he said to me J? He said ‘I ain’t talkin’ ‘bout babies boy. I’m askin’ you if you made her fall in love with you. A baby she could handle. You breakin her heart when she gave you her all...’ Trace pauses shaking his head and in that instance Justin sees Ben Ayala reincarnated in his grandson. “’a girl don’t just come back from that.’” Trace sets his bottle on the table, leaning closer, his eyes imploring. “Charlotte’s not just gonna come back from this dude. She’s done crawling back. It’s your turn to get on your fuckin knees.”

 

“And what?” Justin asks, frustrated. “What? She’s gonna fall into my arms and say she forgives me? Cue the music, ride off into the sunset? This isn’t a fucking movie Trace. This is my life.”

 

Trace snorts, “You ask me your life’s been pretty cinematic thus far.”

 

Justin scowls deeply and Trace laughs before sighing. He looks at his best friend for a long moment before leaning closer, his tone soft as he begins to speak.

 

“You can’t lose her because you’re scared, Justin.”

 

Justin’s eyes widen, bristling violently as he tries to scoot away but Trace puts a hand on his arm. “You’ve been scared for too long. Look at the mess it’s got you in.”

 

“Shut up Trace. You don’t know-”

 

“I know Amelia hurt you,” he cuts him off and Justin looks down, gritting his teeth at the sound of her name. “she had you down for the count for a long time but it’s time to get up off the mat, J. Charlotte is…” he trails searching for the words. He shrugs laughing. “She’s your lobster.”

 

Justin bursts out laughing, a feeling that’s foreign to him but he finds that he’s energized by it. “Lobster huh?”

 

Trace nods. “She’s your movie. You can’t let that get away. You just fucking can’t.”

 

Justin sighs, looking down at the table before cutting his eyes to Trace who is staring at him steadily, giving him a little nod of encouragement. He looks down again, biting his lip hard and wondering if his heart can take two shatterings in one week.

 

“Alright…” he says and Trace’s face lights up, fist pumping in victory and Justin laughs despite himself. “What do we do?”

 

“Oh don’t you worry,” Trace says, his smile about to split his face as he fishes his phone out of his pocket. “I got this.”

 

***

 

Charlotte’s apartment has never been cleaner. All of her laundry is done, her clothes folded and put away and her kitchen is spotless, all dishes washed and in the cupboard. The kitchen table even looks like it could be eaten on now instead of being covered in papers and bills. Her homework is finished, she’s showered and dressed and she’s sitting on her couch, mind frantically searching for something else to do.

 

If she keeps moving she finds she’s happier. Concentrating on menial tasks keeps her mind from going back to Amelia’s office to relive her last humiliation or to the groom’s chambers at St. Thomas… her eyes snap shut, standing abruptly looking for something to tidy up.

 

If she just keeps moving the hurt isn’t so debilitating. But she wears out eventually and when she sleeps she dreams. Of cold stone walls and candle light, Justin in his tuxedo and Amelia floating towards him in a dress shaped like a bell. The preacher asks if anyone objects and she stands, she opens her mouth and even though she’s screaming at the top of her lungs no one seems to hear her. She wakes up in a cold sweat, her heart throbbing against her ribcage, each beat feeling as if it’s tearing her open from the inside.

 

Her hands shuffle over the magazines she’d laid in a fan across her coffee table, stacking them and then fanning them again, wishing to god she’d had a dog to walk or even a goldfish to watch swim around it’s bowl. She wishes she had more clothes to wash or a cake to bake. She wishes that job interview that Fee got her at some trendy restaurant in Manhattan was today instead of tomorrow. But she has no pet, no laundry, no cake mix and no job to take her mind off the fact that she’d managed to lose the man she loved and the job she loathed but was her life nonetheless all in one week.

 

She should feel free, weightless and unhindered since the two main causes of stress in her life are now gone but she feels trapped by it instead, haunted by their loss and the crushing feeling of “what-the-hell-do-I-do-now”?

 

She’s startled by a knock at the door, her brow furrowing as she stands to answer it. She blinks slowly, her brain trying to process the redhead beaming at her on her doorstep.

 

“Hi!” Ginger exclaims, her shoulders bunching up to her ears as if seeing Charlotte again brings her some kind of overwhelming joy while Charlotte’s stomach curls in a sickening mix of dread and anticipation.

 

Ginger’s presence could only mean one thing; that Trace wasn’t far away and where Trace was Justin was sure to be nearby as well.

 

***

 

“You’re sure about this?” Justin asks, one eyebrow raising as he regards his best friend curiously, his stomach turning over and over itself.

 

“Would you stop worrying,” Trace sighs, taking a swig from his beer bottle. “Ginger may be a little slow on the uptake but if there’s one thing she’s good at it’s matchmaking.”

 

Justin groans, letting his head hang back. “I don’t need a Yenta-”

 

“You need a fuckin miracle,” Trace deadpans and Justin glares at him but softens when Trace gives him a winning smile. “What are you gonna say to her when she gets here?”

 

Justin shifts. “Well… I guess that… that I’m sorry.”

 

Trace blinks at him slowly. “You’re sorry… That’s it?

 

“Well I don’t fucking know,” Justin growls, crossing his arms over his chest as a hot flash rolls over him, feeling his cheeks burn. “I am sorry. I’m sorry I put her through that… and that I was an idiot…and that I don’t wanna be an idiot anymore.”

 

Trace looks at him dubiously. “Yeah man I dunno.”

 

“I know,” Justin says, dropping his head onto his arms on the table. “I’m gonna lose her Trace,” he says softly, his voice muffled. “There’s nothing I can say to-”

 

“Yes there is,” Trace cuts him off, his voice firm. “You tell her you fucked up, you apologize, you tell her you love her.”

 

“It’s not that easy.”

 

“It is that easy.”

 

“You didn’t see her face,” Justin says finally lifting his head. “You didn’t see her face when she told me…” his breathing catches as that sharp pain lodges itself under his ribs and it takes him a minute to find his voice again. “when she told me she loved me… and I…”

 

“Left to get married.”

 

Justin glares. “Yes. Thank you.”

 

“You wanna practice?”

 

“What?” Justin asks with a disbelieving laugh.

 

“You wanna practice.” Trace says again, turning more in his chair so that he’s facing Justin, squaring his shoulders. “you know, pretend I’m her.”

 

“Um… no,” Justin says with a chuckle, turning back to his beer, taking a sip and shaking his head. “Ginger knows where we are right?”

 

“Come on dude, quit worrying! You heard what I told her on the phone. ‘Bring Charlotte to The Corner Bar.’ How hard could that possibly be?”

 

***

 

“And you’re sure Trace said to come here?” Charlotte asks, slipping onto a tall stool and resting her hands on the greasy tabletop, looking around apprehensively.

 

“This is the bar around the corner isn’t it?” Ginger asks a little testily, pulling herself up onto her own stool and looking around. “Kind of a shady place huh?”

 

“Um. Yeah.”

 

“Hmmm… Well I guess I’ll go get us some drinks while we wait,” Ginger replies undeterred by Charlotte’s unease, bouncing over to the bar.

 

Charlotte glances around the room, doing her best to avoid making eye contact with any of the clientele. Even though she’d lived in this neighborhood for nearly three years now she’d never been inside The Show Bar before now, always picking up her pace when walking past. There were bars on the windows and the smell of stale beer and cigarette smoke which was detectable from the street is almost overpowering on the inside. Men in leather jackets with matted hair and scraggly beards sit at the bar watching the Speed channel or hovering around the pool tables with cues in hand waiting their turn. Charlotte can’t help but notice that they are two of the only four women in the room, a fact that she would find comforting if it wasn’t for their hard, grizzled appearance and menacing glares.

 

“Well, I tried to get us some Cosmos but he didn’t have any cranberry juice,” Ginger huffs setting two beer mugs the table. “He said these were good though. Pink Panty somethings.” Ginger shrugs, wiggling her way onto her barstool and looks around.

 

“Why are you here Ginger?” Charlotte asks, wincing a little at her rudeness but wanting to get to the point nonetheless. She figures the less time she spends here the better.

 

“Oh I came for the wedding,” Ginger says, smiling as she takes a sip of her drink, wincing brutally as she sets her mug back down.

 

Charlotte chuckles darkly. “Yes… I know that. I mean why are you here?

 

“Same reason you are,” Ginger says blinking and bringing her mug to her lips again. “Trace is meeting us.”

 

“Just Trace?” Charlotte asks suspiciously and Ginger nods, her blue eyes large and innocent but Charlotte isn’t fooled. “I’m leaving.”

 

She starts to stand but Ginger grabs for her wrist. “Look, just hear him out okay?”

 

“Ginger you have no fucking clue what you’re talking about,” Charlotte snaps and Ginger drops her arm, her face crumpling into a wounded frown that has Charlotte back peddling. “I’m sorry, this is not your fault. You just… you don’t know…” she sighs, letting her head hang back. “you don’t know what he’s put me through ok?”

 

“Honey I know exactly what he’s put you through,” Ginger says, looking at her as if she were stupid for thinking otherwise. “The sneaking around, wanting him to change, wanting him to just realize,” Ginger says looking down into her drink and shaking her coppery head sadly. “Been there. Done that.” They’re silent for a second, Ginger looking sadly into her drink before she snaps out of it, looking up and asking with only a slight hint of humor, “So tell me. What hurts more? Thinking you should hate him or knowing you don't?”

 

The question causes Charlotte’s face to burn hot, her brows drawing as she slowly lowers herself back onto her barstool. “I think the worst part is that I knew this would happen,” she confesses, looking morosely down at the mug in her hands, closing her palms around it and feeling it chill her fingers. “I mean how else could it have turned out?” she questions, scoffing a laugh as she shakes her head. “No I did this to myself.”

 

“Doesn’t make it any easier on you though,” Ginger says sympathetically and Charlotte smiles sadly.

 

“No…” she chuckles, a strange sense of relief washing over her. She hadn’t realized how much she’d been keeping inside these past few months and even before that. She didn’t have the luxury of discussing her relationship with Justin with much of anyone and Ginger didn’t seem like the most obvious of choices but it felt good to Charlotte to finally be able to talk about it.

 

“You do love him though?” Ginger questions, her large eyes hopeful and Charlotte cringes, lifting her glass to her mouth and taking a large gulp.

 

Her voice is hoarse, speaking past the fire burning down her throat. “Sometimes. Sometimes he makes me wanna throw him into oncoming traffic,” she says and Ginger giggles, causing Charlotte to smile herself but it fades quickly, “but then I realize I’d probably kill myself trying to save him.” She takes another large swallow. “I’ve been trying to save him for a long time.”

 

“And Amelia never figured it out?” Ginger asks, blinking over at her over the rim of her own mug.

 

Charlotte laughs. “No… she never did. I guess she figured he wouldn’t fuck the help,” she replies bitterly, taking another drink and blinking slowly. “you know this isn’t half bad once you get past how disgusting it is.”

 

“She couldn’t tell he was in love with you?” Ginger presses, her brows drawn in confusion and Charlotte’s eyes snap to hers. “I mean it’s obvious right? Trace said it was pretty obvious.”

 

Charlotte rolls her eyes. “To everyone but Justin.” She winces at his name, reaching to down the last of her drink, Ginger watching wearily.

 

“Sit tight,” she says after a moment, patting Charlotte’s arm as she takes her mug from her. “They’ll be here soon and ya’ll can work it out. I’ll get us another drink while we wait.”

 

“Hey,” Charlotte says, catching her arm and Ginger turns looking at her quizzically. “You said… you’d said this had happened to you… been there done that?” Ginger smiles softly, nodding. “What… what happened?”

 

She chuckles. “It turned out okay.”

 

“Really?” Charlotte asks, eyeing her questioningly.

 

“Well you be the judge,” Ginger says. “How do you think Trace and I are doing?” She winks at Charlotte before shaking her head. “I’ll go get those drinks.”

 

***

 

“Where are they?” Justin huffs, glancing down at his watch as he fidgets in his chair.

 

“They’re on their way,” Trace insists for what feels like the umpteenth time, glancing at his own watch nervously.

 

“It’s been an hour,” Justin says, rubbing his hands down his thighs, trying to make them stop sweating.

 

“They’ll be here any second.”

 

“What if she’s not coming?”

 

It’s the words that Justin had been avoiding asking since they agreed to send Ginger to get her. He knows that he doesn’t deserve Charlotte, knows that after everything he’s put her through she has every right to not show up, to blow him off like he’d always done her. He can barely stand it but he knows it’s true and if there’s one thing he’s learned from this entire experience it’s that lying to yourself only makes everything that much worse. But despite that fact, he really didn’t want to believe it.

 

“She’s coming. Ginger’s just softening her up a little,” Trace says and Justin looks over at him horrified. “What! After everything you’ve done she’s gonna need softening!”

 

Justin glares at him. “Thanks asshole.”

 

“I’m just sayin…” he sighs. “Look I’ll call her okay?”

 

Trace reaches into his pocket, fishing out his phone and after pressing a few buttons he holds it to his ear, listening to it ring. A burst of sound on the other line startles him as the other line picks up and Justin looks on with furrowed brows as Trace squints, bringing his hand up to his other ear to try and listen.

 

“Ginger?....Gin…GINGER!” he snaps sharply and Justin’s heart begins to thump unevenly in his chest. “What are you…Where are you?” he pauses and Justin listens to the muffled slur of Ginger’s voice inaudible to him but Trace’s eyebrows raise. “You’re waiting for us? What do you mean you were supposed to meet us at The Corner Bar an hour ago!”

 

“Is Charlotte with her?” Justin asks and Trace holds up a hand, listening.

 

“No… no not the bar around the corner. The Corner Bar. It’s in Manhattan… Where are you?... Are you fucking kidding me?” He scoffs pulling the phone away from his mouth to speak to Justin. “They’re at some dive in the Bronx called The Show Bar.”

 

Is Charlotte with her?” Justin asks again in a heated whisper but Trace glares at him menacingly, holding up his hand again.

 

“Look I don’t care if you’re pissed at me, although why only God fucking knows. This isn’t about us. You need to get Charlotte over here…” Another pause. “Fuck me? What the hell Gin-…” He’s cut off by slew of angry mumbles that Justin can’t decipher and Trace is looking at him utterly baffled, shaking his head. “Why are you so pissed?” The angry mumbles increase in volume and speed, Justin now catching a few choice words that cause his eyebrows to rise. He hadn’t taken Ginger as the sailor’s mouth type. “Look… look just stay where you are okay? We’ll come to you…. Yeah well I am gonna bother and maybe you should lay off whatever the hell you’ve been drinking because-” His words come to an abrupt halt, pulling the phone away from his ear and looking at it bewildered. “She hung up on me!”

 

“What the hell is going on?” Justin asks, his voice raised and he looks down embarrassed as the people at the tables around them glance their way.

 

“I have no fucking idea,” Trace says, frustration evident in his voice as he stands from his chair. “We gotta go get them. Come on.”

 

***

 

“But, this is the sad part,” Charlotte slurs, blinking blearily at her half empty glass. “We weren't even together and he still broke my heart.”

 

Ginger lifts her head from her hand, her lips puckering in displeasure, cheeks flushed from the alcohol. “Guys are jerks.”

 

“They are!” Charlotte exclaims her eyes widening as if this were the most enlightening statement she’d ever heard. “Do you know what he said to me? Do you know…” she turns on her stool, nearly sliding off the side in an effort to face Ginger who has sat up straight again, giving Charlotte her utmost attention. “He told me… actually told me that I never tell him no. And then when I tell him there are some lines I won’t cross he acts like the idea is foreign to him! Like… like I’ll just do whatever he says!”

 

“What a jerk!” Ginger exclaims and Charlotte nods animatedly.

 

“And then when I try to get him to talk to me… to tell me what he’s thinking because… you know… how the fuck am I supposed to know… he’s all,” she lowers her voice, pulling her brows in as she imitates him, “‘You wanna talk about feelings now? That’s not who we are, Charlie.’ Oh I’m sorry,” Charlotte exclaims her voice rising as she flings a hand out in frustration, nearly knocking over her glass. “I forgot ‘who we are’ is you fucking me and then leaving.”

 

Ginger shakes her head slowly, her vision going wobbly with the movement.My momma always told me never make someone your priority when all you are to them is an option.” She nods authoritatively, draining the last of her mug and looking around “Where’d the bartender go?”

 

“That really is all I was,” Charlotte says, realization blooming plainly across her face as if this is the first time the thought has occurred to her. She covers her face with her hands shaking her head. “God I can’t believe I let him do this to me.” She lets her arms fall back onto the table with a loud thump, looking up at the ceiling. “I let him call me Charlie. I used to hate that.” She scowls down at her hands on the table. “Now I love it.”

 

“Fuck him,” Ginger says and Charlotte looks over at her stunned.

 

“Yeah!” she says, sitting up straighter in her chair. “Fuck him!” she reaches for her glass, fingers fumbling to curl around the handle.

 

“Trace is an asshole too,” Ginger says her face screwing up in annoyance. “Just expecting me to drop everything and find you and convince you that his idiot best friend loves you.”

 

“The only person Justin loves is himself!” Charlotte snaps, throwing back the last of her glass. “Where is that bartender?”

 

“And he doesn’t take anything I say or do seriously. I’m working really hard to make a good name for myself. I wanna own my own salon one day! But does he care anything about that? No, it’s just ‘come to California to this party with me.’ ‘fly to Missouri and sit in a deer blind with me while I kill Bambi.’ ‘come on baby suck my dick I’ve had a rough day.’ BUT DOES HE CARE IF I HAD A ROUGH DAY???”

 

The patrons around them turn to look at her but all she does is stare down into her empty mug, bottom lip trembling and Charlotte pats her shoulder clumsily. “I really love him,” Ginger sniffles, her face crumpled in sadness. “But I think all I am to him is some hot bimbo he can bend over.”

 

“ME TOO!” Charlotte exclaims and then her brow creases. “Well not the hot bimbo part… but the bending over part.”

 

“You know what?” Ginger asks, wiping at her nose holding her head high. “I’m done. I’m not going to be anybody’s hot bimbo. I’m gonna be my own hot bimbo.”

 

“Good for you!” Charlotte exclaims her fingers grappling for her glass again. “Lets propose a toast! Here's a big FUCK YOU to the texts I waited for.”

 

Ginger reaches for her own glass, raising it clumsily. “To all the dates I hoped for when he was too busy doing something else.

 

“The love I wanted,” Charlotte adds, her heart burning in her chest.

 

“and the tears I cried,” Ginger adds, giving a deep nod.

 

“and the heart you broke, asshole!” Charlotte finishes, banging her glass roughly against Gingers, both women going to take a drink but frowning when they remember their glasses are both empty.

 

“GINGER!”

 

Both girls look up startled, finding Trace making his way over to them, Justin trailing along behind him. Charlotte’s eyes meet his, her stomach dropping to her toes and she looks down angry with herself that even after everything she’s said today he can still give her butterflies.

 

“What the hell are you two doing here?” Trace asks in a harsh whisper, eyes flicking around apprehensively to the other patrons.

 

“What do you care?” Ginger snaps back, shrugging off the hand that he’d wrapped around her bicep as she slid off her barstool. “Charlotte you want another drink?” She levels her eyes on Trace, a slow smirk pulling at her lips. “They’re free. Jinx likes me.” She turns abruptly, her fiery hair slapping Trace in the face and he watches her swish away, confused and hurt.

 

“Hey!” he exclaims when her words sink in, stumbling in his effort to follow her. “Who the hell is Jinx?”

 

Justin watches the two of them for a moment before turning back to Charlotte who is doing her best to keep her eyes on the table in front of her, refusing to look at him. He slides hesitantly onto the barstool next to her, folding his hands on the table as he searches for something to say.

 

“So…” he trails, flexing and unflexing his fingers. “I guess… I guess you heard about… about Amelia and me?” Charlotte snorts, rolling her eyes and looking away from him. “I made a mistake Charlie.”

 

“You know I really fucking hate that name,” Charlotte replies, her head whipping to glare at him and he blinks back at her startled. “Ever since I was little. And then you come along-”

 

“God what have you been drinking?” he asks, cutting her off as he pulls the mug from her hand and sniffing at it, the alcohol burning his nose.

 

“What the hell do you care?” Charlotte snarls, snatching the mug back away from him angrily and he watches her for a beat before sighing.

 

“Great… just…wonderful,” he sighs again, pinching the bridge of his nose before taking a deep breath and turning more fully towards her. “Look I know you’re kinda not really in the right mindset right now but I’d like you to listen to me please.”

 

His blue eyes are large, his face somber and Charlotte looks up at him blearily, his face swimming in her vision. He reaches for her hands tentatively, his fingers wrapping around hers causing her to look down dumbly, electricity sparking across her skin. She rips her hands back annoyed, trying to spin away from him but her feet get tangled on the footrest of her barstool.

 

“Charlotte I’m sorry,” he says softly, trying to pull his stool closer to hers. “Look at me!” he insists, frustrated at talking to the back of her head. “Charlotte, please just look at me.”

 

She grits her teeth at the pleading in his voice her face turning towards him unwillingly and when she looks at him he smiles relieved. He reaches for her hands tentatively again, thumbs smoothing over her knuckles making her heart tremble.

 

“I don’t want you to touch me,” she mumbles softly, pulling her hands from his again and he lets her go reluctantly.

 

“Okay, I deserve that,” he says evenly, placing his hands in his lap. “I know that I don’t deserve you. I know that. If you would just… give me another chance-”

 

“Don’t…” she spits, her anger startling him. “You had your chance. You’ve had plenty of chances.”

 

“I’m asking for one more,” he says, commanding his voice to be strong even though his stomach is trembling. “I know that I haven’t done right by you. But I’m telling you that all of that is over now. I want to put it behind us. I want us to be together. For real.”

 

He winces. Maybe he should have taken Trace up on his offer to practice. Charlotte merely shakes her head, coughing out another disbelieving laugh looking around the bar and wondering how the hell she got here. Why had it all come to this? She looks down at the table, her finger tracing a long gash in the vinyl.

 

“You know when I first met you I never would have imagined that I would have such strong feelings for you.” She blinks up at him, her eyes hazy and she wishes she could focus on him more, take in the devastated look on his face, the glimmer of hope in his eyes. She licks her lips, making an effort to speak clear, to not slur because even in her fuzzy, inebriated mind she knows what she’s saying to him is important. “I never would have thought that I would get butterflies in my stomach when someone mentions your name. Or that I would miss you,” her eyes close, squeezing shut as if she were in pain and he longs to pull her to him, “that I would miss you so much.” She takes a shaking breath, her head turning from side to side. “When I first met you I never would have thought that I would love you.”

 

“I love you too,” he says in a rush, hands reaching for hers, warmth spreading through him as he finally says words that have been bottled up inside him for too long but she shrugs him away, anger and outrage blooming in her eyes.

 

“And you think that makes everything better?” she asks her brows raising before shaking her head and looking away again.

 

“We gotta get outta here man.”

 

Justin grits his teeth at Trace’s interruption, turning to glare at his best friend over his shoulder. He finds Trace glaring right back, his arm around Ginger’s waist even though she’s struggling to free herself.

 

“I’m in the middle of something here-”

 

“You’re not gonna convince her you’re not an asshole,” Ginger says, glaring moodily at Justin who blinks back at her shocked. “You had your chance.”

 

“Ginger shut up,” Trace snaps then looking at Charlotte. “Charlie-”

 

A chorus of “Don’t call her that” and one “don’t call me that” sounds all at once, Charlotte looking at Justin bewildered. “She doesn’t like it,” he adds softly, looking down at his hands and then back at her, his eyes doleful. Charlotte merely blinks back at him.

 

“Fine. Charlotte just take the time to hear him out okay? He loves y-”

 

“Nothing he can say matters,” Ginger butts in again and Trace glares at her. “He can’t take back what he did.”

 

“He can try and make up for it,” Trace argues turning fully towards her and Ginger does the same, their toes nearly touching.

 

“You can’t make up for constantly telling her she’s not good enough-”

 

“I never said that!” Justin exclaims, his brows drawing as he looks from Ginger to Charlotte. “That’s not true. I never thought that.”

 

“You didn’t have to think it or say it,” Ginger says and Trace brings a hand up trying to cover her mouth. “Actions speak louder than- Stop trying to cover my mouth Trace!”

 

They dissolve into their own argument, their eyes violent, snapping brutally at each other and Justin watches in silent disbelief.

 

“She’s right,” Charlotte says, drawing his attention back to her, finding her picking at her fingernails in her lap. “It was never something you said. And maybe you didn’t think it but somewhere deep down you believed it.”

 

“How can you say that?” Justin asks, his chest burning at the accusation.

 

“I told you I loved you and you walked away!” Charlotte exclaims, her eyes bright with anger and unshed tears. “You had every opportunity, Justin! For the longest time you had a million chances to get out. You had countless people trying to make you see: Trace, your parents, not to mention me. You didn’t want me Justin. I’m not sure you really do now.”

 

“Charlotte why would I be here if I didn’t want you?” Justin asks exasperated.

 

“Because Trace pushed you to come,” Charlotte says soberly, a guess and by the way his mouth snaps shut and he looks away from her she knows it’s the truth. Her insides burn. “Goodbye Justin.”


She stands from her barstool, wobbling a little on her feet and Trace and Ginger stop their arguing to watch her step away. She barely gets two feet away before Justin’s hand clamps around her wrist, sending his barstool tumbling backwards in his effort to catch her.

 

“I’m here because I love you,” Justin says both hands wrapping around her biceps the words tumbling from his lips effortlessly, a gasp tearing from Charlotte’s throat. He swallows hard, breathing raggedly for a moment while searching for more, feeling as if he’s dragging the words from his gut. “You know how I once told you that not knowing what you want isn’t a bad thing? That knowing what you don’t want is just as good as knowing what you do? I know that I don’t want to be without you Charlotte. I don’t know where my life is gonna go from here and I don’t know what kind of person I’m going to become but I want you there with me so I can make sure that I’m becoming a person that you can love. And that can love you back the way you deserve. I’m not perfect. I’m never gonna be. But I will try my damndest to be perfect for you.”

 

Charlotte blinks back at him, her breathing shallow as she looks into his desperate blue eyes. His fingers are clenching her arms hard enough to bruise, his own chest rising and falling rapidly and surely she can hear his heart pounding. She bites her lip, closing her eyes sending wet tracks down her face, Justin reaching to wipe them away quickly. Her fingers wrap around his wrists, taking a steadying breath that she lets out through pursed lips.

 

“You’re too late,” she whispers shakily, not opening her eyes but she hears his harsh exhalation, feels it rush against her face.

 

Justin stares at her dumbfounded, blood roaring in his ears as he tries to comprehend her words. He’s too late? Her eyes open slowly, their greenness startling him, and he lets her pull his hands from her face, letting them fall to his sides slowly. He wants to scream at her “no!,” he wants to grab her again, shake her until she listens but he can’t seem to find his voice, his body leaden and all he can do is stare back at her as the hurt washes completely over him.

 

“I’m sorr-” she starts but presses her lips together to stop the flow of words.

 

She knows how he feels, has seen the look on his face before because it’s the same one that she's seen in the mirror over the last several months more than she'd care to admit. She almost reaches for him then, almost touches his face in an effort to comfort but she stops herself. She grits her teeth. He doesn’t deserve comfort, least of all from her.

 

She turns, bumping into one of the tables around them in her haste to get away, Ginger pulling from Trace to rush after her, trying to call her back. Justin feels the ground under him heave upwards, Trace’s hand settling on his shoulder to steady him as he watches Charlotte walk out the door and, he fears, out of his life for good.

Chapter 35 by SomethingBlue42
Author's Notes:

And here we are at the end. I just wanted to say thank you so so much to everyone who's been reading, especially those that took the time to send me feedback. It's been a wonderful journey with these characters and I hope you enjoy the ending

 

It’s pretty quiet in Southern Hospitality for a Saturday afternoon. The summer sun spills through the windows, burning the floorboards and Justin can tell the sidewalks are baking outside. He supposes the majority of the city is on the coast, catching some relief from the city heat if only for a weekend and what with no baseball game on today the bar isn’t seeing its usual game-day clientele. A couple college girls sip martinis at the end of the bar, paying him no mind, and he wonders briefly if they’d recognized him. He chuckles darkly, gazing down into his glass, the amber liquid splintered with ice cubes. He doesn’t recognize himself anymore either.

 

“Hey could you turn it up?” one of the girls hollers and the bartender who’d been leaning against the other end of the bar, keeping an eye on the level of his drink reaches for the remote, upping the volume on the TV at the other end.

 

“It seems that New York City’s It Couple has called it quits.”

 

Justin’s head snaps up looking over at the television to find one of the entertainment news channels’ talking heads yammering on next to a picture of him and Amelia that has been digitally ripped in two. His teeth grit.

 

“Only one month after their spectacular ten million dollar wedding at St. Thomas Cathedral, Justin Timberlake and Amelia Domineck have had their nuptials annulled. Sources close to the singer-”

 

“Fuckin’ awesome,” Justin grumbles, bringing a hand up to shield his eyes, his thumb and middle finger pressing into his temples to try and alleviate the aching in his head.

 

“Whoops sorry ladies,” the bartender hollers down the bar as she flicks the channel over to a bowling match. “Big tournament.”

 

Justin lowers his hand, flicking his eyes between the TV and the girl behind the bar before doing a double take. He’d never quite noticed it before, the resemblance, her long dark hair the same length, the shape of her face similar, maybe a little thinner. The only difference is her eyes, they’re brown and not green. His chest constricts then, causing him to gasp for air as the pain blooms hot, spreading itself through his veins, crawling down his arms making his fingers grip his glass harder and he throws back the remainder of his drink to try and put out the flames.

 

The bartender has another glass waiting for him, setting it on his napkin and snatching away the empty tumbler as soon as he sets it on the bar, wiping away the ring it had left with a towel.

 

“You make a good drink,” he offers, his voice bordering on timid, as he lifts his glass, eyeing her over the rim as she drops his other in the sink behind the bar.

 

She chuckles. “I don’t think how it tastes is particularly important to you right now,” she quips and he frowns.

 

“I’m not drunk.”

 

He hits the K a little too hard, his tongue making a squelching sound against the roof of his mouth and the bartender gives him a knowing look that makes his cheeks burn.

 

“Didn’t say you were,” she says softly, watching him for a moment. “It’s alright I guess.” She shrugs smiling and he wishes she had a dimple in her cheek. “You’ve had a rough month.”

 

He laughs mirthlessly, giving a slight shake of his head, taking a deep drink. “No fucking kidding.”

 

“Been spending a lot of time here.”

 

“Maybe I like your company,” he ventures and she raises an eyebrow completely unamused.

 

“What about that pretty brunette I used to see you in here with sometimes for lunch?” she asks and Justin’s eyes snap to hers, feeling as if all the blood has left his head, leaving him woozy and hot, the pain disorienting.

 

“What about her?” he asks, clearing his throat and trying to steady his voice. She merely smiles.

 

“You tell me,” she challenges, cocking her hip out to the side and resting her hand there.

 

“I’d rather not,” he replies tonelessly, preferring not to think about it.

 

“You know I’ve been working here for awhile,” she says, “Almost since you opened and I’ve seen a few of the girls you’ve dated. The actress, a few randoms, and, of course, the missus,” Justin cringes which she chuckles at, “and none of them looked at you like that girl did.”

 

“Yeah well I fucked everything up, okay?” Justin snaps and the bartender raises her eyebrows at his hostility which wanes quickly into despair. Justin’s shoulders hunch forward as he runs his hands over his face.

 

“How’d you manage that?” she asks softly and Justin merely blinks up at her.

 

“Well… I don’t know if you heard but uh…” he says, his voice hushed as he looks quickly down the bar before flicking his gaze to the front window conspiratorially before his eyes meet hers again. “I kinda got married.”

 

She gives him a wry smile at which he shakes his head, lifting his drink to take a sip, the alcohol burning his tongue. He nearly chokes on it when she asks, “But that’s over now isn’t it?”

 

He sets his glass down a little harder than intended. “You know you sound just like my idiot best friend. Why is everyone under the impression that my marriage meant nothing to me? That I should be over the moon because I’m-” he makes aggravated air quotes, “-‘free’, instead of devastated that my life is in goddamn shambles?”

 

She regards him for a moment before answering. “I think…” she says carefully and he’s seen that look a million times before…just on someone else’s face.

 

“Come on lemme have it,” he encourages, waving her in as he brings his glass to his lips again.

 

She sighs. “I think they feel that way because it was obvious to everyone, but you, that this was what you wanted all along.”

 

He chokes, whiskey and soda filling his lungs making him hack and sputter. She looks at him alarmed, grabbing a clean towel and offering it to him so he can wipe his mouth and dab abashedly at the few dribbles on his shirt. “I… what? he questions, his voice thick, catching in his throat and making him cough again. “you think I wanted all of this to happen?”

 

“Well maybe not all of this,” she says, gesturing at him and he looks down at his rumpled clothes, scratching at his scruffy cheek. “But somewhere deep down you wanted something more than that marriage was going to give you.” She shrugs. “Or you wouldn’t have been looking elsewhere.”

 

“Hey, I was not looking elsewhere,” Justin spits, his eyes flashing angrily at her and she holds her hands up, palms facing him in concession. He shifts in his chair. “It just happened, okay. Its not like I planned it. It’s not like I wanted to get involved with her. She just… She knew how demanding Amelia could be…” he winces at her name, rushing on to get the taste of it out of his mouth. “She understood me and she was there for me when… other people… weren’t.”

 

“You were friends.”

 

“Yes!” Justin exclaims, nodding. “We were very good friends.”

 

“And what did she get out of this friendship…if you don’t mind me asking?” the bartender ventures and Justin’s eyes snap to hers, her question shocking him so it takes a moment for the shameful blush to creep up his neck.

 

“She… she got… I was there for her too,” he tries feebly and the lie is bitter on his tongue. “God she was right,” he mutters to himself.

 

“About what?” the bartender asks, tilting her head to the side, a smile tugging at her lips as she watches recognition and understanding light his eyes.

 

“She said that I didn’t think she was good enough,” he answers without paying attention, his eyes staring blankly ahead as his mind runs over the past several months, seeing it with new eyes, becoming more and more horrified by the second. He shakes his head. “I didn’t think that,” he clarifies emphatically, his eyes pleading with her to understand. “I don’t think that. But…” he chuckles darkly. “Actions speak louder than words.”

 

“And you acted like an idiot.”

 

Justin gives her a sharp smile. “Thanks.”

 

“So have you talked to her? Told her how you felt?”

 

He snorts. “Yeah. It went smashingly. We’re planning the wedding. You should come.” He leans back crossing his arms over his chest and she regards him for a moment before quipping.

 

“You should wait awhile. Let the ink dry on the annulment first.”

 

Justin glares at her hotly causing her to lift up her hands again, showing him her palms in apology. He sighs shaking his head. “No it’s fine. My life’s one big fucked up joke now anyway.”

 

“You should talk to her again,” the bartender says matter-of-factly and Justin blinks at her slowly

 

“I don’t know if you noticed by my sarcasm earlier but it didn’t exactly go well the first time,” Justin says, his spine prickling as he sighs. “You know, maybe she was right. Maybe I didn’t really want her. Maybe I am just afraid of being alone.” His jaw tightens, a wave of embarrassment washing over him in a heat flash when he feels tears pricking at the backs of his eyes.

 

“God how bad did it hurt to say that?” she asks and he looks up at her, blinking back the tears and shaking his head. “It looked like agony.” He’s silent, looking down into his glass. “You can say it all you want Justin but you’ll never convince yourself of it.” She pauses before adding softly. “I saw the way you looked at her too.”

 

He sighs letting his head fall back, running his hands over his hair. “I fucked up,” he sighs, feeling his chest rip open in a gaping wound like it does every time he lets himself think about it.

 

“Royally.”

 

“Thanks,” he says wryly, glaring at her momentarily before shaking his head and heaving a sigh as the despair sets in. “I just…” he starts but then stops himself, pressing his lips together to block the words there was no use in saying.

 

“Just what?” the bartender asks, her dark eyes soft and sympathetic loosening his lips.

 

“I just wish I’d been able to tell her that it wasn’t true. That I did…” he swallows hard. “I did love her. Maybe I didn’t realize it at the time but… you know… I did.” He shifts in his chair, his mind wandering back, back before all the drama and bullshit, back to when he and Charlotte were sniping at each other with jokes about his horrible sense of humor and her resemblance to a certain TV weatherman. “And I appreciated her, everything she did for me and even for Amelia.” He flinches again, licking his lips. “She encouraged me, always supported me. If I had a problem I couldn’t quite figure out…” he smiles softly, seeing her in his minds eye, green eyes sparkling and that dimple… “she always had the solution. She always knew what to do, what to say…” his face darkens as the memory of her smiling face fades and all he can see is how much he’d hurt her. “I just wish she’d known that she was good enough for me. I wasn’t good enough for her.”

 

The bartender smiles sadly, feeling a strong pang of pity for the broken man sitting in front of her. “You want some advice?”

 

Justin looks up at her, almost startled as if he’d forgotten she was even there. He shakes his head giving a sad smile. “Sure.”

 

“You gotta find her and tell her the truth. That you’re an idiot-”

 

“I already did that,” he snaps cutting her off. “I laid it out and I put my heart on the line and she walked away-”

 

“Then you do it again,” she says, her voice raising just slightly, giving him a dose of his own hostility, and chastening him. “How many times did she put her heart on the line, Justin? And how many times did you walk away?”

 

Her words hit him like a punch in the face and he lets his head fall back from the blow, heaving an aching sigh. “I’m am such a fucking idiot.”

 

“See, you’re off to a great start,” she says lightly and when he brings his head forward he finds her smiling softly at him, humor in her dark eyes. “You have to go to her. Make her understand that you’ve made mistakes but you’re not going to make them again,” she advises him slowly. “And don’t bring flowers, don’t make promises you can’t keep. Show up with nothing but your heart, Justin.” She smiles at him encouragingly when he looks up at her again, his eyes hesitant. “It’s the only thing that has any chance of working.”

 

“And if it doesn’t?” Justin asks, his stomach trembling with butterflies, barely believing he’s about to put himself through this again.

 

She hesitates before shrugging and heaving a sigh. “Then the drinks are on me.” She reaches under the bar then plants a bottle of water in front of him, taking his glass. “Come on sober up. You got a girl to see.”

 

***

 

A strange sense of calm is settled in Justin’s chest as he climbs the six flights of stairs to Charlotte’s apartment. It had washed over him as soon as he’d gotten in the cab and told the driver the address and even the grumbling of the cabbie didn’t set him on edge. It seemed he was immune to ill will, something inside him buoyed by his mission.

 

He didn’t understand it at first, spent the entire ride racking his brain for the source, possibly attributing it to fear of having his heart shredded again, or shock at actually going through with it. He figured it would hit him when he arrived, the nausea, the sweating, the shaking knees, but even after he’d paid the driver, tipping him heavily for his trouble and began his ascent to her sixth floor walkup he never lost his sense of assuredness. When he crests the top of the stairs and finds apartment 6D staring him straight in the face, he feels only little butterflies licking at his stomach, heat washing over his skin in anticipation, the same feeling he used to get right before the lights came up and the music kicked in.

 

His palms are just slightly damp, his throat a little dry as he steps up to her door, closing his fist and bringing it up, taking a shaking breath as he let his knuckles fall against the wood. He waits a beat, hearing his heart thud steadily in his ears and feels his entire body stiffen as the door swings open.

 

She’s freshly showered, her long dark hair curling at her shoulders, green eyes wide in shock. She’s dressed for the office even though it’s Saturday, the soft pink of her lace trimmed tank top matching the blush across her chest, her Bermuda shorts blazing white as if they’d never been worn. She looks thinner, her face less round and even through the concealer he can see the dark circles beneath her eyes as if she hasn’t gotten a decent night’s sleep in weeks. She is the most beautiful thing he’s ever seen.

 

She blinks up at him, her stomach dropping down to her toes, her heart setting off at a gallop, completely thrown off guard by his presence. But he shows no sign of unease, standing tall before her in a soft grey t-shirt and plaid board shorts, his sneakers pristine white as always. His hair is just beginning to curl again, his blue eyes tired but open, a hint of a smile pulling at his lips. She peeks down each side of the hall, thinking for just a moment that maybe this is one of those dreams again.

 

“Hey,” he says softly, his voice a dry rasp and her eyes crash into his, setting the butterflies loose again.

 

She stands a little straighter at the sound of his voice, the dull ache in her chest assuring her that this is no dream and she crosses her arms, looking down. “Hey,” she tells his shoes.

 

He doesn’t respond, just watches her, waiting for the fear to shake him, waiting for every violent reaction he’s had in the past but nothing comes. He feels warm and steady and suddenly he understands that this is what it feels like to be sure, to stand in front of someone and know that they are what you want. This is what it feels like not to doubt or be afraid. This is what loving someone is supposed to feel like.

 

“Heard you got annulled,” Charlotte says, doing her best to keep her voice even when he doesn’t respond, still not looking at him but peeking up at his face to gauge his reaction.

 

He blushes, a response that strikes her quickly as adorable but she shoves it down. “Yeah,” he replies awkwardly, shoving his hands in his pockets and shifting his weight from foot to foot. “Untied the knot.” He pauses for a moment before taking a deep breath.

 

“Charlie?”

 

They both freeze, the voice, distinctly male, wafting from inside the apartment behind her. Justin’s stomach drops out but he’s unable to stop himself from peering in the doorway, finding a man emerging shirtless from the hallway which he assumes leads to her bedroom. His face goes slack, feeling as if something sharp has lodged itself up under his ribs, his eyes falling on Charlotte but her head is turned back, looking at the other man as he rounds her couch.

 

“Who’s this?” the man asks, his voice deep and Justin chances a look at him, finding him to be tall and cut, his hair damp as if he just got out of the shower.

 

“It’s just… uh,” Charlotte stutters, looking at the floor because she can feel Justin’s eyes on her, burning her with questions.

 

“Wait… is this him?”

 

The malice in the other man’s voice startles Justin into looking up at him, finding his face contorted in anger. The man takes quick strides until he’s standing right behind Charlotte, close enough for Justin to see the hard line of his jaw, the set of his eyes. His eyes are familiar.

 

“Isaac… don’t,” Charlotte says, turning towards him slightly, placing a hand on his chest and applying pressure.

 

“You’re the bastard that hurt my baby sister!” Isaac barks, his green eyes flashing maliciously and even though the man looks like he wants to kill him, an overwhelming sense of relief washes over Justin.

 

“Oh Jesus,” Charlotte mutters, rolling her eyes annoyed as she tries to shove her brother back, her cheeks heating with embarrassment.

 

“You’re lucky I’m not on duty or you’d have a nine millimeter cap in your ass right now, mother fucker,” Isaac spits, still struggling to get past Charlotte and Justin takes a small step back, putting his hands up. “You know what you’ve put her through? Our mother has been scared sick for her for weeks. She finally sent me up here to check on her-”

 

“ISAAC!” Charlotte exclaims mortified, her face flaming red as she finally turns fully to her brother, giving him a rough shove. “God, go put a fucking shirt on.”

 

He stumbles back, still glaring hotly at Justin whose eyes are cautious, glancing from sibling to sibling. Charlotte looks from her brother to Justin, her eyes scanning his face and as much as she wants to slam the door on him she’s curious as to why he’s here. She thought that after she dismissed him she’d never see him again. After all, she wasn’t the one Justin usually fought for.

 

“What are you doing here?” she asks with a defeated sigh, leaning her weight on the doorway as if exhausted by the mere thought of going through this entire exercise again.

 

“Well…” Justin says slowly, his eyes moving from Charlotte to Isaac who is still behind her, standing at full height and just waiting for his sister to give him the okay to beat Justin into a blood stain on the carpet.

 

Charlotte glances back at her brother then rolls her eyes, stepping out into the hall and grabbing the edge of the door. “Come on.”

 

She pulls the door shut with a snap, ignoring the snort of indignation from Isaac as she turns back to Justin. Her hand instinctively reaches for his wrist, moving to pull him towards the stairwell but both stop at the contact, looking up studying each other’s faces for the other’s reaction. She finds his eyes hopeful, questioning her heart stuttering and she forces herself to look away. He reaches to cup her bicep and she drops his hand, taking a step back and looking at the floor.

 

Justin sighs softly, moving to the top of the stairs and lowering himself slowly, looking at her over his shoulder to see if she follows suit. She moves cautiously around him, sitting next to him but pushing herself as close to the hallway wall as she can, leaving only the tiniest sliver of space between their bodies.

 

“Sorry about Isaac,” she mumbles after a long beat of silence, watching her fingers twist in her lap. “He’s just overprotective.”

 

“It’s fine,” Justin responds, looking down at his own hands, his palms pressed flat together. “I kinda deserve to have my ass kicked.” An unwilling laugh pulls from Charlotte’s throat, which he smiles at. “It’s been awhile since I’ve been in a fight. You got any pointers for me?” he asks, nudging her with his elbow and she shies away from his touch, sobering him and reminding him that this isn’t going to be easy.

 

“Why are you here, Justin?” Charlotte asks softly, not daring to look at him. “I told you before… you’re too late.” She wraps her arms around her stomach, holding herself tightly as she looks down the stairs.

 

“Yeah I was kind of hoping you were too drunk to remember that,” he says with a soft hint of humor, rubbing his hands together as he glances over at her, not quite brave enough to look at her face so his eyes settle on her knees instead. “Talk to me, Charlotte.”

 

“I don’t know what you want me to say, Justin!” she exclaims looking over at him in frustration.

 

“I want you to tell me how you feel,” he replies softly and anger flares in her, the memory of sitting with him in Amelia’s kitchen during her bridal shower searing through her brain when she’d voiced that exact request and he’d shot her down.

 

“Oh you wanna talk about feelings now?” she quotes maliciously. “I thought that wasn’t who we are. I thought we were just quick fucks in your office and-”

 

“That’s not true,” he says, the vehemence in his voice cutting her off and dulling her anger but she still refuses to look at him, her mouth set in a grim line. “And I’m sorry that I made you feel that way. That was never how I felt about us, Charlotte. Even if you never believe another word I say, please believe that.”

 

Her eyelids flutter, a lump forming in her throat at the sincerity in his voice and it’s too soon for this. She’s not strong enough to tell him no, not without the liquor in her bloodstream and Ginger to fight for her. She’s spent her whole life listening to her heart over her head and she guesses she should consider herself lucky that this is only the first time she’s been burned beyond repair. That exact thought is what made her vow to listen strictly to her head from now on but she finds the transition to be rocky. She’s frustrated by her own stupidity, hating herself for how she still dreams about him, still checks her phone hoping that maybe he’d texted. She hates how empty her life has been without him. As angry as she is, she wishes she were angrier; maybe then she’d be able to hate him for what he did to her. She knows she deserves better but her heart doesn’t want anything but him.

 

“Look I understand if you never wanna see me again-”

 

“Yeah well that’s not exactly the problem,” Charlotte cuts him off crossly and he stops, confusion making his mind go blank.

 

“I’m sorry… what?”

 

“I want to see you every day,” Charlotte mutters miserably, picking at her fingernails brutally and refusing to meet his gaze. “I want to call you and I want you to tell me about your day and what you had for lunch and all the other bullshit we used to talk about. I want to not miss you anymore. I hate missing you.”

 

Justin is shocked, watching her mouth pucker angrily, her jaw tight for a moment before she sighs, bringing her hands up to rub over her face.

 

“So…” he starts, trying to come up with a response but he hadn’t been prepared for this.

 

“I hate that you screwed up so royally that I’d be a fucking idiot if I took you back.”

 

He sighs. There’s something he can work with. “I know…god I know. You have every right to just… to end this. But I just… I wanted you to know-”

 

“That you’re sorry and you never meant to hurt me, yes I know,” Charlotte says, not trusting herself to listen to him. “I get it. I heard you.”

 

“No I don’t think you did,” Justin replies back sharply pulling her down when she tries to stand. “I fucked up Charlotte. Beyond any measure that a human being should be allowed to fuck up. I was so focused on… on making this thing work with her that I didn’t… I didn’t see what was right in front of me,” he sighs and Charlotte watches as his face shifts from frustration to agony, her breath catching in her throat when he looks at her again. “You have every right to tell me to fuck off. After what I did to you it’s the smart thing to do.” He reaches over tentatively, holding her hands in his. “But I wanted you to know that I fell in love with you because of a million tiny things you never even knew your were doing.” She sucks in a sharp breath, looking resolutely to the side, her fists balled inside the cocoon of his hands and he dips his head searching for her eyes which meet his reluctantly. “And I was scared of that. I was scared of losing something that was so far gone I couldn’t even see it anymore. So I made a lot of bad decisions. A lot of decisions that hurt you. And hurt me. I’m sorry for that. I know it’s not much, and I know it’s too little too late but I’m sorry. For hurting you, for making wrong decision after wrong decision, and for making you feel like you didn’t mean anything to me. I am so sorry. And yeah maybe you’d be a fucking idiot if you took me back but…” he trails, his eyes searching hers, seeming to reach inside of her and shake the very foundation of everything she believed to be right. He lets out a shaking breath, his body turning so that his knees press against hers and his voice is weak as he says, “You’d be happy, Charlotte. I’d make you happy. I owe you that much.”

 

She looks down at their hands, letting out a slow shaking breath and she wants so badly to give in, to let him try to make her happy. In fact he’d almost convinced her. But deep down she knows it’s not right. He’s lived his life for the past… god knows how long… working to make someone else happy. She reaches up to touch his face, his eyelids fluttering at the contact and she wonders if he’s ever going to learn that the only person’s happiness he can control is his own.

 

“You’re a good guy, Justin,” she says softly, her fingertips tickled by the scruffiness of his cheek. “You’re clueless but you mean well.” He looks up at her then and his sheepish grin makes her smile, the sincerity in his eyes tugging at her. She looks away letting her hand fall. “I know you never meant to hurt me. Deep down I’ve always known that.” She shakes her head. “This isn’t entirely your fault. We did this to each other.”

 

“We can fix-”

 

The look in her eyes cuts him off and he looks away, feeing as if all the air in the room has been sucked out through the black hole in his chest. This was really it. There was no getting her back. He hangs his head, taking a few steadying breaths and he wonders what he’s supposed to do now. As scared as he had been deep down he’d expected her to forgive him. He has no plan for this outcome.

 

Out of all the times that Charlotte had seen Justin beaten, all the occasions where he’d been berated and run over she doesn’t think she’s ever seen him look this broken. He’s blanched considerably, his breath dragging raggedly in and out of his lungs and his eyes are flat and dull. She wishes that she could take it all back, wants nothing more than to throw her arms around him but she can’t be the one to solve his problems for him anymore. But despite knowing that, she still cares for him too much to pretend otherwise.

 

“Are you okay?” she whispers, her thumb smudging the soft skin of his cheekbone and he blinks at her as if her words have caught him off guard, his body jerking away from her. And then as if realizing his emotions are reading plainly across his face, he attempts to situate his features into a smile but the sadness doesn’t leave his eyes.

 

“Yeah!” he exclaims his head bobbing with false enthusiasm while giving a dismissive shrug of his shoulder that causes her hand to fall away. “I… I should go… you know… before your brother really does decide to kill me.” His lips twitch up into a weak smile that falls quickly. “Hey, take care of yourself okay?” he adds, his voice turning thick so he has to clear his throat, his hand rubbing her bicep quickly before pulling himself to his feet.

 

His legs wobble beneath him just slightly, feeling a little short of breath and he prays that his composure will last at least until he’s out of the building. He wipes his sweaty palms on his jeans sucking in a deep breath as he begins his decent down the stairs, everything inside him screaming not to leave, all the words he couldn’t find before feeling as if they’re going to cause his head to explode.

 

“Justin,” Charlotte says, cursing the warble in her voice and she knows she shouldn’t call him back, that doing so would only make her want to keep him there. Would keeping him there really be so bad?

 

Justin stops at the landing, looking back to find her still sitting, her hands twisted in her lap, her face contorted in sadness and indecision. He sees her clearly, he thinks for maybe the first time ever and he has to reach for the banister to steady himself at the realization that this isn’t about having her, or Amelia, or anyone. It’s about the feeling he gets when he looks at her, the flutter in his chest when she smiles, and the way he loves her dimple. He laughs then, the sound causing Charlotte’s face to smooth, only the tiniest line drawn between her brows, her ‘huh’ expression, which he loves almost as much as the dimple.

 

“You ever notice that it’s never something huge that changes everything but it’s the small stuff?” he asks suddenly, not really looking at her and she can practically see the wheels turning in his head. “Like you’re just a person who showed up. You were just another girl working in my fiancé’s office… You…you were just this girl.” Charlotte’s brow creases further blinking past him, his words stinging her even if that isn’t his intention “You were just this girl until you weren’t just ‘this girl’ you were…” he lets his voice trail, his eyes meeting hers and she feels her stomach drop out, feeling that pull inside her, the thing that had drawn her to him since the beginning, “you were everything to me. You kept me sane when Am— she was doing her best to drive me crazy. Seeing you was the brightest point in my day and…” he sighs, giving a shrug meant to shuck away all the pretenses before he says, “and loving you made everything tolerable I just…I never really realized it…until…”

 

He cuts himself off, pressing his lips together and she wants him to go on, her heart hamming wildly in her chest. She can feel that this is one of those moments; the ones you look back on as having laid out the path one would walk for some time. She’d felt it a few times before, deciding to move to New York for school, quitting her job at Gauge-Whitney, and before, as an assistant, choosing to give Justin’s friendship the benefit of the doubt. It’s the feeling she gets when the risk seems to outweigh the gain and even though her better judgment tells her to err on the side of caution her fearless heart pushes her to take a flying leap into the unknown.

 

“Anyway…” he trails, shaking his head giving her a weak smile that looks more like a grimace as he moves to take his first step off the landing.

 

“Wait!” she exclaims, propelling herself off the step and nearly tripping her way down the stairs. He freezes, looking back at her bewildered, his eyes falling to her hands as they grip his biceps trying to get him to turn and when he does and they’re facing each other, nearly the same height from him being one step below her, neither can speak, hearts hammering, knees shaking, their breath fanning each other’s faces. “Wait,” she whispers again, her hands fisting in the cotton of his t-shirt, her nails scraping at the skin of his arms as she rings it worriedly.

 

His breath leaves him in a rush, hands coming up to cup her face and he tells himself he shouldn’t hope but when she looks up at him, her green eyes large but sure he feels it’s impossible not to. His hands smooth over her hair, too scared to voice it, not believing his heart could take it if she said no but she just nods, quick short bobs of her head, answering him silently because she can’t seem to find her voice.

 

He blinks at her, and it takes a moment for him to fully understand, but when realization dawns on him, his entire body stiffens and he sputters softly. His own head starts bobbing in an attempt to get her to confirm what he thinks she’s implying. She lets out a soft whisper of a laugh, continuing to nod along with him and he breathes out hard, as if he’d been sucker punched. Charlotte watches as his face contorts from skepticism to disbelief to relief and then to unbridled joy that dazzles her, his face seeming to split open in a smile as he scrambles to grab handfuls of her hair, wrapping his fingers all in it until he’s trapped by it.

 

“Yeah?” he asks, not realizing his face was so close to hers until her bottom lip brushed his and her eyes close as she laughs silently, nodding still, her face breaking into the most beautiful smile he’s ever seen, his favorite dimple showing on her cheek.

 

He laughs loud then, a joyous sound, his lips pressing hard to her cheek, kissing that dimple and Charlotte freezes at the feel of him against her, his lips on hers, savoring it as her hands move to his shoulders before giving in and wrapping her arms fully around him, clutching him to her for dear life.

 

She hisses as he moves to untangle his hands from her hair, pulling her back to cup her face, fingers stroking her skin as he looks at her fiercely, as if he was trying to memorize her, as if he were trying to figure out how he got so lucky.

 

“It’s… it’s not gonna be easy…” Charlotte finds herself whispering to him and his face sobers instantly, nodding solemnly as he gives her his utmost attention. “There’s a lot… a lot we need to discuss…”

 

“I know,” he says quickly, nodding at her soberly. “I know.” He holds her so that her forehead is pressed to his, his eyes staring back into hers, assuredly. “And we will.” He holds her face tenderly, his blue eyes sincere as he says, “I’m not gonna fuck it up this time.”

 

She laughs then, finding the juxtaposition of his seriousness and his choice of words so typically him. He chuckles too, his cheeks pinkening and she can only smile at him, letting her eyes close as her nose nuzzles against his.

 

When their lips meet it’s as if the world drops out, Charlotte grabbing handfuls of his t-shirt, his hand cupping the back of her neck gently, cradling her head as if it were something fragile. It isn’t like their usual lust filled kisses, the passion still there but simmering low behind the promise that this matters to both of them, that they will work together and that they won’t let anything get between them ever again. It’s the first honest kiss they’ve ever shared.

 

“…isn’t going to work-”

 

“We gotta do something! We can’t just stand by and watch them make the worst decision of their lives!”

 

Justin and Charlotte’s lips part, their eyes creaking open to regard the other curiously, each wondering at the familiar voices wafting up the stairwell. They turn their heads in time to see Trace dragging Ginger to the top of the staircase below them, both stopped dead in their tracks at the sight of the two of them standing at the top of the stairs, wrapped in each other’s arms.

 

A smile lights up Ginger’s face as she gives a strangled squeal, tugging on Trace’s arm adamantly while he can only blink up at the two of them, his brain processing a little slower than his girlfriend’s. Justin and Charlotte look at each other again, smiling sheepishly before ducking their heads and Justin is unable to resist the urge to nuzzle her cheek, his arms wrapping around her waist as he tugs her close.

 

The action seems to spark Trace’s recognition, a slow grin pulling across his face as he regards the two of them before he quips. “Well, roll the fuckin’ credits.”

Epilogue by SomethingBlue42
Justin feels like he has butterflies the size of pterodactyls in his stomach as his fingers fumble with his tie in the mirror. The voices of the other occupants in the room are a dull hum behind the thundering beat of his heart, excitement running through his veins like an electrical current. He’s waited for this night for months, put every ounce of himself into getting here. There were times when he felt that he wasn’t going to make it, that it would all be for naught but he’d somehow managed to pull through. Tonight was going to be the first night of the rest of his life.

 

 “You ready for this dude?” Trace asks him through the mirror, clapping his shoulder hard and beaming at his best friend.

 

“Yeah,” Justin grins back, blowing out a shaking breath, trying to dispel a little of the manic energy running through him.

 

“Come on,” Trace says, giving his shoulder a rough squeeze, “Let’s do this thing right.”

 

He snatches a bottle of Jack Daniels from the table and the others gather round, taking the shot glasses as quickly as Trace fills them. When Trace finally hands the last one to Justin before taking one for himself the room is quiet and Justin can’t seem to stop smiling, looking at those around him and feeling that this is truly where he’s supposed to be, a feeling he’s gradually getting used to.

 

“To new beginnings…” Trace says before grinning slyly and adding, “and finally getting it right.”

 

Justin gives a playful roll of his eyes, unable to fight his grin as he throws his drink back, feeling it burn its way down to his belly, setting the butterflies aflame.

 

“What the heck is going on in here?”

 

Justin freezes, raising on his tip toes to see Charlotte standing in the doorway, her brow furrowed in confusion as she takes in the fullness of the room. She gives him a questioning look and he responds with a sheepish grin, setting his glass down as she makes her way towards him.

 

“Twenty minutes till show time,” she says, the excitement evident in her voice as she crosses her arms over her chest, feeling as if she could explode from the anticipation.

 

“You heard the lady!” Trace hollers and the rest of the band looks to him. “Twenty minutes. Let’s give the vocalist a little privacy.” No one misses the wiggle of Trace’s eyebrows, making Charlotte blush and duck her head.

 

“Thanks Trace,” Justin says dryly, receiving a hard pat on the back as his friend follows the band out, pulling the door closed behind him.

 

Charlotte lets her head fall to the side as she watches Justin’s gaze follow them out, his eyes dancing happily and she wonders if he realizes he’s grinning like a fool. She laughs softly to herself, reaching up to touch his face and his eyes meet hers, his grin seeming to stretch even more, his hand coming up to hold hers in place as he turns his head to press a kiss to her palm.

 

“Big crowd out there,” she says softly as his eyes open and he beams at her. “You nervous?”

 

“Nah,” he says giving a dismissive wave as he turns from her back to the mirror, fiddling with his tie. “Oh hey there was something I wanted to ask you…”

 

“Nope,” Charlotte cuts him off, placing her hands on his biceps and urging him to turn.

 

“It’ll only take a sec,” he says tilting his chin up to let her adjust the knot at this throat, looking down at her from under his lashes.

 

She shakes her head, pressing her lips together as she undoes the knot and starts anew. She can feel him watching her, the heat of his gaze making her nervous. He lets his eyes close for a moment, enjoying the brush of her lips against his throat as she leaves the knot loose for him to adjust himself.

 

“Marry me,” he breathes, not even opening his eyes but grinning at the short gasp she gives. He wonders after all the times he’s asked her if she’s ever going to stop being shocked by it.

 

“Quit,” she whispers back delicately and he peeks at her from under low lids, still grinning. She narrows her eyes slapping his chest and he laughs, turning back towards the mirror.

 

“One of these days you’re going to say yes,” he says, tightening his tie against his throat, finally satisfied with it’s appearance.

 

“Well I guess I’ll have to eventually since you won’t stop asking,” Charlotte says, jabbing a finger into the middle of his back playfully and he wiggles away from the assault laughing.

 

“I don’t get it. You love me. I love you. The sex is great- ow!” he exclaims as she smacks him upside the head laughing. “What, it is!”

 

He grins as she rolls her eyes but she finds herself unable to keep from smiling so she turns from him in an attempt to hide it but to no avail. Justin’s arms snake around her waist, pulling her back against his front giving her a tight squeeze as he presses his lips to her ear.

 

“You know it is,” he says lowly, making her stomach do a summersault, his lips kissing along her ear. “We could elope, fly to Tibet and get married by a monk.”

 

Charlotte snorts, twisting her neck to look at him dubiously. “Tibet?”

 

“What I’ve never been there,” Justin says with a shrug and she rolls her eyes. “Plus it’s the only place I could think of with monks.”

 

“Why do you want to get married by a monk?” she questions with a laugh and he just shrugs.

 

“Dunno. It’d be a cool story,” he grins as she shakes her head at him. “Come on, marry me.”

 

She pulls away from him, turning to look at him through narrowed eyes. “What would you do if I said yes?”

 

“Whisk you away to Vegas before you could change your mind,” he says with a playful grin but she merely raises an eyebrow at him.

 

“No I’m serious. What if I said yes? Right now. What if now was the moment? And you’re here joking about monks,” she says, crossing her arms over her chest and his smile fades, his heart feeling as if it just bottomed out.

 

“Really?” he asks, pressing a hand to his sternum, his face going completely blank as he frantically searches for what comes next. He’d asked her a hundred times in the last few months and after the first few he’d stopped anticipating what would come after she agreed. He’d had a plan once but it seems that he’s forgotten it now, leaving it behind along with the ring- “Shit, the ring!”

 

Charlotte’s eyes widen as he frantically searches his pockets, patting at his chest and fumbling around with his pants. He’s muttering to himself as he walks over to the couch, pawing through his jacket before scratching his head and looking around. His face alights in remembrance hurrying back into the bathroom.

 

“What… what are you doing?” Charlotte asks in slight alarm.

 

“Don’t worry I have it here somewhere!” he calls out to her and the sound of rustling denim accompanies his voice before he growls and returns, looking around perplexed. “You’d think I wouldn’t misplace something like that but…” his eyes widen as they fall on his backpack in the corner. “OH!”

 

“You… you got me a ring?” Charlotte questions, her voice thin as he shuffles over, checking a few pockets before pulling out a black velvet box.

 

He blinks at her. “Yeah,” he says with a chuckle. “What kind of asshole would I be if I proposed without a ring?”

 

“D-don’t,” she says holding out a hand as he saunters up to her, wiggling the box at her.

 

“You wanna see it?” he asks with a grin and she glares at him.

 

“No.”

 

He looks at her sympathetically. “Is it because you know you’ll say yes when you see it?”

 

“No… I would not say yes just because of a ring,” Charlotte replies peevishly, eyeing the box.

 

Justin sighs. “Too bad,” he says opening the box a crack and peeking inside. “It’s a good one.”

 

“I have no doubt,” she replies with a sigh as he lets it snap shut again, smiling as he slips it into his pocket.

 

“One of these days you will say yes,” he says softly as he steps up to her, hooking a finger under her chin so that her eyes meet his and she smiles.

 

“Maybe,” she replies coyly, standing on her tip-toes to press her mouth to his.

 

A hard knock on the door startles them. “Pull up your pants, bro. Time to get to the stage.”

 

“Trace, I swear to god,” Charlotte growls, stomping over to the door and jerking it open. “Is everything a dick joke with you?”

 

“No only Justin’s dick is a joke,” Trace quips, beaming at his best friend who returns a wry smile, flipping him off. His brows draw as a large bouquet of flowers nudges it’s way into the room.

 

“Special delivery!” Ginger exclaims, letting the vase thunk on the table.

 

Charlotte frowns at the gardenias overflowing from the crystal flute, each bud blazing white, the petals open in fragile fans. A simple white card is tucked in the middle and Justin reaches for it in curiosity.

 

“They’re pretty,” Charlotte says, reaching to touch a delicate petal and Trace snorts.

 

“He hates gardenias. They make him-”

 

Justin lets out a hard sneeze, startling everyone and Ginger’s eyes widen. “Oh my gosh are you allergic? Oh no, oh no!” she frets her body stuttering trying to move in every direction at once. Charlotte’s eyebrows raise, looking to Trace in amusement but he’s merely watching his girlfriend with loving humor. “I’m sorry,” Ginger says, snatching the vase and turning to run. “I’ll get rid of them!”

 

Trace laughs to himself watching her scurry out of the room as Charlotte steps up to Justin, placing a hand on his shoulder.

 

“You okay?” she asks and he nods sniffling a little as he opens the card. “Who are they from?” Justin chuckles shaking his head, flipping the card for her to read. Her brows furrow. “Wishing you all the success you can achieve…” her throat closes. “Amelia?”

 

Justin laughs. “She would…” he says, turning the card over and reading it again quickly. “All the success I can achieve. Thanks,” he snorts flicking it into the trashcan.

 

“What the hell is that supposed to mean?” Charlotte asks angrily and Justin is startled by the venom in her voice. “You’ve sold out a twenty date tour and that’s before you even release your album,” she says and her voice raises, glaring down in to the trashcan at the card seeming to yell at it as she continues. “Which is the most anticipated album – oh I don’t know – ever.”

 

She heaves an annoyed sigh, looking back at Justin and Trace who are watching her with raised eyebrows. “Well, Charlie… tell us how you really feel,” Trace says with a chuckle and Justin looks down grinning.

 

“You don’t think…” Charlotte asks, letting her voice trail as she looks between the two of them. “You don’t think she’d… she’d have the balls to show up he-”

 

But she’s cut off by Justin’s laughter and Trace’s scoff of indignation. “Are you kidding?”

 

“We’re in LA, babe,” Justin says running a hand over her bicep. “The Hudson River’s as far west as that wicked witch goes.”

 

“Too bad,” Charlotte mumbles and Justin raises an eyebrow. “Would have been nice to see the look on her face when you blow the roof off the place.”

 

Justin laughs, a blush heating his cheeks and she grins, standing on her tip-toes to press her lips to the corner of his mouth. Trace smiles watching the two of them for a moment before shaking his head.

 

“Time to go, dude,” he says stepping out of the dressing room and into the hall. “Your millions of fans are waiting.”

 

“There aren’t a million people out there,” Justin replies as his arms slip around Charlotte’s waist, hugging her close for a moment.

 

“Okay well a couple thousand of your millions of fans are waiting,” Trace amends. “I think some of these girls are going to have an aneurism if they don’t hear some music from you soon.”

 

“I’m coming, I’m coming,” Justin sighs, giving Charlotte one last squeeze before looking down at her. “Kiss for luck?” He brings a finger up tapping his lips twice and she smiles at him.

 

“Raw talent and honed skills aren’t enough he wants luck too?” she teases and he beams at her, letting her kiss the smile off his face.

 

Her hand slips around the back of his neck, fingers fisting in his curls as her tongue swipes his bottom lip, sneaking a quick taste before she pulls away. She feels his eyes on her as she straightens his tie and adjusts his vest, brushing off his shoulders. Then letting her hands rest there she looks into his eyes, stealing his breath.

 

“I am so proud of you,” she says, lifting a hand to cup his cheek and he smiles at her, his heart fluttering around inside his chest, taking her hand and pressing it there, letting her feel it.

 

“I never thought I’d be here again,” he says softly and she smiles at the quick stuttering of his heart, the only indication of his nerves. His eyes meet hers and she’s struck breathless as he cups her face. “I couldn’t have done this without you Charlie.”

 

“You always say that,” she says shaking her head. “You didn’t need me. This is who you are-”

 

“I wouldn’t have found who I am again if it wasn’t for you,” he says sincerely and she looks down at her hand on his chest. “Thank you, for giving me the chance I didn’t deserve.”

 

She smiles. “Thanks for not making me regret it.” He grins.

 

“I love you,” they say in unison then burst into giggles, shaking their heads as Justin runs his hand over her hair quickly.

 

“I love you guys too,” Trace returns and they roll their eyes turning to find Trace grinning at them from the doorway. “Now, move.”

 

Justin takes a steadying breath, the butterflies beating in his stomach as he releases her and moves to leave the room. Her hand catches his, giving it an encouraging squeeze before releasing him, smiling so that the dimple appears in her cheek and she beams back at him.

 

“You’re gonna be out there right?” he asks as Trace starts to drag him from the room, craning his neck in an effort to still see her as he’s pulled out the door.

 

“You think I’d miss something like this?” she asks in disbelief, following him but moving to walk in the opposite direction towards the venue, throwing a grin over her shoulder.

 

The walk to the stage is like an out of body experience, hearing the buzz of thousands of voices through the walls, the electricity in the air. When the lights go down the screams of the crowd hit him like a tidal wave, heart hammering as he navigates the dark stage, finding his mark, gripping the mic stand in sweaty hands. He starts with an old favorite, the first four chords raising the volume of the crowd and he feels like the roof may actually blow off when the lights come up, the crowd nothing but silhouettes and shadows. The music behind him meets the wall of sound in front of him, engulfing him in a mixture of scream voices and screaming guitars, stomping feet and thumping drums. He can’t even hear himself when he says he’s bringing sexy back, the crowd drowning out even his in-ear monitors and he spends the rest of the song holding the mic out to the crowd, thankful for their help because with the lump in his throat he’s not sure he’d be able to sing anyway.

 

The song closes to thunderous applause and Justin just stops, standing in the middle of the stage, staring out into the lights as he lets the adoration wash over him. He closes his eyes taking a deep steadying breath as something settles inside him, something that even Charlotte in all her perfection couldn’t calm in him. He’s finally home.

 

“How’s everybody doing tonight?” he asks and the wall of sound hits him like a gush of warm air. He chuckles, nodding his head as he returns the mic to its stand, fiddling with it until it’s at a height of his liking.

 

He lets his eyes scan the crowd then, searching and he finds her off to the left behind the railing of VIP, standing next to Trace who looks to be arguing playfully with Ginger. Charlotte’s eyes on locked on him, her hands clasped to her chest and he wishes she was up there with him, wishes she could feel the way this feels because he wouldn’t be standing there without her. He shakes his head, looking down and saying another silent prayer of thanks for this girl that he loves so, and for the second chance he’d been given.

 

“I wanna thank everybody for coming out tonight,” he says, fingers curling around the microphone on the stand. “I feel like this record was a long time coming. You know you get older and you grow up and you change… And sometimes you lose who you are.”

 

His eyes find Charlotte’s in the shadows and she smiles at him, her eyes sparkling in the darkness. She gives him a slight nod. You can do it, her eyes say and he presses his lips together nodding back solemnly.

 

“Sometimes you lose who you are and finding yourself again is rough… but this is what this album is. It’s the search, the journey back…” he trails a small smile pulling at his lips as his eyes fall on Charlotte again, “… or forward as the case may be.” He reaches into his pocket, fiddling with the velvet box there and sees Charlotte’s face go slack, her eyes panicking. He laughs at the terrified look on her face before his hand leaves his pocket, giving her a quick wink before he returns his gaze to the crowd in front of him, blinking almost as if he’d forgotten they were there.

 

And then its as if everything comes back, their screams deafening and he’s overwhelmed by the mass of moving bodies, the thousands of voices melding into one loud siren’s call. He’s drawn into it and swallowed by it, emotion tightening his chest. He opens his mouth to speak and the din rises, the sound pressing against his eardrums threatening to break them and all he can manage is a bashful laugh, their love and support seeming to swallow him whole. “I just…” he starts and then stops overcome once again but he manages to rally his voice. “I just wanna say to each and everyone one of you how much it means to me that you came out tonight.” He’s forced to pause for the rising tide of screams that threatens to break over him and he thinks his face may split open from smiling so hard. “But… I uh… I’m… I’m a little at loss for words.” He shakes his head, licking his dry lips and once again thanking God for this moment. “I just want to let you know how grateful I am for those of you that stuck around, and had faith in me. You are the reason I do what I do. Thank you so, so much.” He feels his voice crack on the last word ducking his head and letting the sound wash over him again as he gathers himself, brushing away the nerves and the pretenses, ready to give himself to the crowd. He lifts his head, rolling his shoulders back and grinning. “Anyway, this is just a little something I’ve been working on. I hope you enjoy it.”

 

 

 

The End

Cast by SomethingBlue42
Author's Notes:
For more extras including a full cast list, character analysis, deleted scenes and more, visit my website http://somethingblue.tasting-eden.com

Charlotte

stories/387/images/Charlie2.jpg

Justin

 stories/387/images/Fiance25.jpg

Amelia

stories/387/images/AMELIA.jpg


 

 

 

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=868