Part 5 - Blood Red: Dark Fire by d_simplicity
Summary: Standing here, In the middle of the fire
Watchin the walls burn, Feelin my heart turn
Hard as a rock, Cold as stone
A cold fire, Look away
And when the walls fall
How will you deal with it
This time, By the light
Of the cold fire

Poem: Cold Fire by Michael Farquer

Venture into the short tale of a Vampire's journey as he (Justin) and his partner (Hailey) are faced with passion, lust, desire, danger and death...

*From - The Blood Series: A Vampire's Love*


Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: Justin Timberlake
Awards: None
Genres: Alternate Universe, Angst, Drama, Fantasy, Mystery, Romance, Supernatural
Challenges: None
Series: The Blood Series: A Vampire’s Love
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 7976 Read: 1321 Published: Jun 02, 2008 Updated: Jun 02, 2008
Story Notes:

Finally, I got an update in. :D Again I'm sorry. This one is coming out of me slowly but surely and no worries because I will see it to the end. :) This is the last part of the series and it's three chapters long. So, I hope you all like and enjoy! :)

 

blood banner

 

1. Part 5:1 by d_simplicity

Part 5:1 by d_simplicity

 

5. Blood Red: Dark Fire

 

You see your reflection
Ah love in the darkness
Should be kept in the night
Never to see the light
Never to see the truth
Always gonna get burned
Fire and ice
A dangerous combination
Ah but destiny rules
And the walls will fall
One more time
In the cold cold fire



Part 5:1

 

London, England...


Moaning, I twist and turn before I suddenly shoot up with a start. Gazing at my surroundings, I grip my neck when I feel the side hurting, pulsing with a dull pain.

I, I'm lying on a large soft bed on top of a deep red comforter. I'm in what seems to be a room decked out in ancient stone and marble. It's large and spacious with an amazing sent of lavender in the air. There's not much in here. All I can make out is a large wooden walk-in wardrobe, a vanity mirror attached to a finely crafted ebony dresser and plush crimson red carpeting. Wait, don't vampires live here? Is a mirror really necessary?


Seating up fully, I gaze down at my attire, noting that I'm dressed in only a white silky nightgown.

And suddenly, I'm bombarded with past events of what took place and how I got here. "Oh my god." I slap my palms over my mouth when I think of... "Justin!" I belt, as my eyes flit around the quiet room, searching for his form or any sign of him.

When I find none, I swing my feet over to the edge of the bed, loving the feel of the soft carpet between my toes. Jumping up on my feet, I wince slightly in pain, gripping my abdomen, replaying the last moment I shared with him like a broken record in my mind. Damn it, did he have to make love to me the way he did? That was just cruel.

Walking over to an open window or more like a carved hole in the wall, I stick my head out trying to tell the time of day. Well it's nighttime, but of what day? I'm not sure how long I've been asleep.

Allowing the cool night's breeze to hit my face, I sigh as I gaze down below at what seems to be a rather large, peaceful lake. I guess we're in Europe like Justin stated we'd be, at his castle.

I wonder where he could be.

Taking a few steps back, I look over at the large wooden doors, skeptic of what I might find on the other side. Still, I'm not staying in here alone just wondering.

I'd rather explore my new environment since I have time to kill.

Gripping the metal knobs, I twist them and pull the doors open, fluttering my eyes when a gush of wind hits me.

Stepping out into a dimly lit hallway, I cast my vision up and down the rather long, never-ending hall trying to figure out in which direction I should travel. Shutting the doors to the bedroom, I randomly pick a direction and begin my journey with no destination in mind. I can feel the chill from the cold hard floor under my bare feet.

Passing closed door after closed door, I'm a little thrown off with my sense of direction and have no intention of opening any of those doors. I'm not in the mood to be surprised and all I really want is to find Justin.

Feeling a sense of weakness wash over me, I'm guessing that I need to feed soon or maybe not? I really do not like being a vampire right now. Justin said I would have to kill and I'm just not ok with that.

Finally making it to a winding staircase with portraits of strange people I can't identify on the walls, I decide to head down the stairs to see where they lead.

Making it down and unto the platform, I glare at two massive doors in front of me wondering if I should open them or not. The place is eerily quiet and looks deserted. I thought they said Justin's castle was heavily guarded? So where are the guards? This is like some ‘haunted house' or something.

Shrugging and deciding to take my chances, I pull one of the doors open and slide my body through the crack. Looking around in awe, I realize that I'm standing in what seems to be a huge ballroom of some sort with the yellow chandelier lighting and everything. This is all amazing but still, I need to find Justin.

He's not reading my mind or sending me any type of telepathic message so I'm sure he doesn't know that I'm awake.

 

 

Cutting across the spacious floor, I head over to some open doors that lead outside. Walking through them, I'm now situated outside on what seems to be the grounds of a large garden that's illuminated by small yellow lights decked out about ten feet apart.

It's then that I see him...off into the near distance, down the steps and sitting on what seems to be a small fountain of some sort.

Ambling down the small stairway until I'm standing on the cool grass, I make my way towards him until he stops me dead in my tracks with his statement.

"I see you're up. And you didn't waste time finding your way around either." There's a hint of amusement in his voice as he keeps his back to me, sitting on the edge of the fountain with his body slightly hunched forward.

"Justin, what's going on?" I inquire, closing the gap between us and walking around until I'm facing him.

He slowly lifts his head to look at me and I gasp at how different he looks. His complexion looks healthier and has a tiny glow to it. His curls are almost completely bright golden blonde and his blues are darker than normal. He has a shadow around his chin and mouth region and he looks a little older than I remember. He's still amazingly gorgeous. Dear god how long have I been asleep?

"Oh my god, you look so different." I point out and he just smiles lazily at me, his pearly whites shining under the garden's lighting.

"Yeah well...you've been asleep for about a week Hailey." He explains in a soft fading voice.

"Wow! That's crazy. Still why do you look so different?" I inquire.

"I just casted a small shape shifting spell to change some of our appearance to blend with our new surroundings but I mostly look the same. I didn't do anything to you yet. I wanted you awake to get your consent since you freaked out when I straightened your hair. But if you don't want to, that's ok too." He explains and I nod, still in shock that I slept for an entire week.

"I can't believe I slept for an entire week." I blurt out in amazement.

"I can't either. I guess your body was weaker than I thought when I cast that spell. It can be draining on your energy force whenever you teleport." He voices with a light yawn. Looking at him closely, he seems kind of worn out to me. I wonder what he's been up to this past week.

"Oh..." Is all I manage to get out.

"But, the good news is, you were still able to feed, so I let you feed off me." He smiles slyly.

"Even in my unconscious state?"

"Even in your unconscious state." He assures and I shake my head in response. "Come on Hailey, let's head back to bed. I'll give you a tour of the castle tomorrow night. I've had a busy day with my workers preparing for your family's arrival tomorrow. We both fed already so tomorrow night, after your family is settled in, I'll bring you out and show you some of London then we can work on your first kill. Don't worry, there's been no sign of Violet as of yet. She'll show up eventually, but in the mean time, you're going to keep training and practicing with me ok?" He explains and I nod feeling a hint of nervousness in the pit of my stomach.

"Don't be nervous Hailey everything is going to be ok." Justin swiftly stands from where he was sitting and comes over to me.

Cupping my cheeks, he leans down and places a soft kiss on my lips before he pulls away to stare at me. I'm only now registering that he's not dressed in black. He has a white long sleeved shirt on and some jeans. I could get used to this change.

Gripping my hand, he pulls me with him back in the direction I came through the grand ballroom.

"I'm tired, and I know you need more rest to regain your strength." Justin says in a low monotone voice.

"All this is a little overwhelming." I sigh, and then a thought crosses my mind. "Will you help me remember my dream Justin? I've been meaning to ask you...and I'm sorry about the last time."

Turning to face me, his blues twinkle under the lighting at we step foot into the ballroom. "That's fine." He mutters, leading us back to the bedroom I'd presume.

"Ok." I sigh, hating how reserved he is right now.

"I'm just tired Hailey and need some sleep. For what it's worth, I'm not angry or anything and I'm glad you're here with me. Welcome home my love." He coos.

And I just breathe a sigh of contentment, because even though I'm still hesitant and confused by this entire prophecy, I'm just glad that Justin is here with me.

In fact, having Justin here lets me know that things will turn out for the best and somehow, I know when everything is said and done, we'll be ok...




****
A Month Later...




It's been four weeks too long since I've woken up in Justin's castle. I can't deal with this anymore. The more time that passes and the longer I have to do this 'being a vampire' thing the angrier I get. I'm starting to have doubts, wondering when this is going to end, if ever. Justin keeps assuring me that it will be soon and I believe him because I love him but this is seriously beginning to irk me.

The night after I woke up, Justin stayed true to his word and took me out to see London at night. I have to say the lifestyle, architecture and culture is extremely different from back home. There's sophistication to the setting and an unannounced class to the English lifestyle. Plus, I found out that Justin is well known here. He's the regular prince charming with the ladies and the gentlemen seem to love his demeanor. It's clear that they have no idea that he's a vampire. It's all strange for me and I'm still absorbing it all. I feel like we've traveled back in time when everyone's status is calculated by their family name and how much riches they have to their name. The way these people dress is just amazing and I have to say I'm starting to like this new life a little. I just wish I was mortal to enjoy it both at night and in daylight.

I guess I can't complain too much. Being a creature of the night has its perks. Besides, sex with Justin is out of this world. He always makes it interesting and gives me an experience I never had before. I think it's dangerous though because that's one of the times where he milks his ability of being able to read my mind. He knows exactly what I want, how long I want it and the intricate details of my pleasure points. It's a little scary how much control he has sometimes. He has me wrapped around his little finger and he knows it too. He always claims he's not reading my mind but I know he is because he's always one step ahead of me. Still, who am I to complain like this?

No, what I will complain about is the fact that since my father and the rest of my family have been here, it's been non-stop training. I'm not sure how Vampira is unaware of all of this. How can she not know that my family and Justin are training me to kill her? She must know something.

Gazing at the blue sapphire stone on my marriage finger I frown. It's been glowing dimly these past two days and I've been meaning to ask Justin what that means. I wonder what it would be like to actually marry Justin. Do vampires get married? I mean what's the point? You know you're going to live forever with your chosen partner, so is it even necessary?



"Your mind amazes me sometimes. The things you think about."

Turning around, I smile brightly when I see Justin walking towards me in the large study filled with endless books that I found about a week ago. It's like his own private library too with rows of books dating back to medieval times. Standing from the large ancient crafted chair, I walk over to him, taking in the long sleeved red silk shirt and black pants he's wearing. He's completely abandoned the all black attire. Sure he wears pieces but since we've been here, his wardrobe has expanded much to my satisfaction.

"I thought you were out with my father." I state and he shakes his head ‘yes', finally reaching me. Snaking his arms around my waist, he pulls me in flush against his chest before his head dips down and his cold lips connect to mine.

Smiling into the kiss, I wrap my arms around his neck, pulling him into me as I savor his lips, tasting the slight tangy substance of blood. Before he can slick his tongue out to probe mines, I frown and pull away, glaring at him incredulously.

"You killed again today?" I inquire, knowing that he fed some hours ago before he left with my family.

Arching his brows at me he shrugs and moves to kiss me again but I pull away, detaching our bodies in the process. "How many times have you killed today Justin?" I inquire again noting the irritation on his face.

"You act like I committed a crime when I do this on a regular basis to survive." He growls angrily and I fold my arms across my light blue dress clad chest in attitude. Murder is a huge crime in case he wasn't aware.

"You've never needed to feed more than once a day to have your fill. You only took the amount you needed to keep you sustained for as long as possible. So why the change now?" He's not getting off that easily. Sure it's a curse but he should know this is still so very immoral and...

"Are you serious right now Hailey? Please tell me this is a joke." Rolling his eyes, he chuckles lowly before he whips around to leave but I stop him by grabbing his arm roughly.

Gazing at the hold I have on him and then into my browns, Justin sighs out of pure aggravation. "Look, when I battle, I burn a lot more energy and I get hungry ok?" He moves to leave again but I block his path, facing him, gazing into his icy blues.

"Wait, what do you mean battle? When did this happen? Where...with who..."

"One question at a time love. I was out with your family in London when a few of Vampira's ‘slaves' attacked us but it's nothing." He shrugs and I gasp.

"Oh no. Does that mean..."

"Pretty much. I'm thinking she's in London now. So, it won't be too long before she makes her appearance." Justin explains and I moan softly in dismay. "You need not worry too much Hailey because you're ready to fight her. I've trained you well these past few weeks and your powers are almost at their peak. In two days when the full moon is stationed in the center of the sky, that ring you're wearing is going to help you come into your full powers and I'm almost certain that's when Violet will show up." Justin explains calmly and I scowl.

"I hate this." I point out while playing with the ring on my finger absentmindedly. Ever since Justin helped me to remember my dream I've been dreading this battle because in my dream we die, or at least that's how it appears to be. I'm not quite sure because I never saw us burst into flames.

"You've reminded me of that fact countless times." He narrows his eyes at me before a small smile plays across his lips. "Come with me. You've been in here most of the day. Your family is off in their quarters turning in for the night."

"I like it here." I retort and he chuckles.

"I know, but I'm home now and I'd like some time with my future wife and mother of my unborn child." Justin simply states causing me to giggle.

"That's a long way off Justin." Taking his hand, I allow him to lead me out of the study, through the ballroom and out into the large garden.

As we make it to the benches near the fountain, he turns to look at me with an amiable grin on his smooth baby-like face.

"It's not as long a way off as you presume it to be." He utters and I arch a brow at him in question.

"Oh?"

"The best thing about having the powers I posses is, I can know when you're pregnant before you do." He says proudly, puffing out his chest a little and my eyes widen in shock.

"What!?" I stumble away from him and he instantly dips his head back erupting in laughter. "No, that's so not funny. I'm not pregnant!" I all but scream.

"Not yet." Justin forces out through sobs before he finally calms down. "But soon my love...soon." He whispers in a hushed tone and I feel chills run through my spine from the intense gaze he's giving me. "Come on let's go." He demands, gripping my hand tightly just as I was about to take a seat on one of the benches.

"Go? Go where?" But I'm cut off when Justin lifts off with me in his arms, the both of us airborne as we move through the dark, chilly night's sky...

Have I mentioned I'm never going to get used to this? I mean I'm comfortable for the most part now. But for emphasis, I will never get used to any of this...ever...




****
Two days later...

 



"Stay still." I growl angrily before gripping my prey around their neck like a vice.

"Oh my god, what are you? Please, please don't kill me! Please!"

Gazing at the short stumpy man with gray hair and bright brown eyes, I scowl, gripping his spectacles and throwing them off before I stomp on them. Forcing his head to the side, I inhale sharply, the sweet aroma of his blood filling my nostrils causing me to sigh.

I can still hear him begging, pleading for his life, but I tune him out, the cold blood running through my veins freezing any type of compassion or remorse I have left. And in the blink of an eye, my head is dipped and my fangs are piercing through the main artery in his neck, sucking the life out of him as his cries die out and his body goes limp.

When I've had my full, I drop the now lifeless body onto the cold ground of the park's walkway before taking a step back and wiping at my mouth.

Tasting the sweet sticky substance on my lips with my tongue, I sigh when I feel a slight pang of despair from what I've just done wash over me. But, that doesn't last long because Justin interrupts my thoughts almost instantly.

"I know this is going to sound twisted, but I'm proud of you." He drawls, walking up to my side and gripping my hand in his.

Turning to look up at him, I smile wearily noting how his dark holes probably mirror mine. His fangs are out just like mine and I'm sure that we look like two monsters of the night.

Wiping my mouth clean, I take one last look at the lifeless man before I turn away in disgust. "Well, I'm not proud of what I've become." I sigh, feeling my fangs slowly descend into my jaw as Justin pulls me along to walk down the dimly lit path in one of London's many small parks. Clutching my brown jacket against my chest, I watch as he stuffs his free hand in his black jacket as well.

"I never said you were. You get used to it after a while though until it's all you know. But I'm still proud of you. It takes a lot of courage to kill and as time passes, you keep getting better at it." He shrugs as he continues to look ahead.

"Justin, I know that you love me but sometimes I feel like that's the only emotion you're able to really express. I mean, do you feel anything for anyone else?" I inquire curiously.

He sighs heavily, clearly annoyed with my question. "I don't know these people to feel anything for them Hailey. So I don't see what the problem is."

"I just...you seem like such a cold-blooded monster when you kill."

"A hunter never gets attached to his prey else he'll never be able to kill." Justin points out.

"I know that but..."

"Drop it Hailey. We never get anywhere with these discussions." He growls and I simply shrug, giving up.

When we're unto the main street again, Justin pulls me down one of the side lanes before wrapping his arms around my waist and pulling me into his embrace.

Looking down at me with his misty blues, he smiles slightly before kissing my lips tenderly. "Don't worry about what you can't change Hailey ok? Worry about what you can. Come on, we're going home." He voices and I nod just as our feet leave the ground and we're sailing through the air at moderate speed.

I'm not as scared as I used to be of flying. In fact, Justin's open me up to it since that's his usual method of travel these days. I'm still a little jittery though because well, I haven't exactly mastered the flying slash levitating concept quite yet, but I'm sure I'll get it down in no time with a little more practice and concentration.

Still, being here now wrapped in my lover's arms, inhaling his intoxicating scent of old English spice, I know this is where I belong and if it means being a vampire then by all means, I'm willing to endure that curse.

 

*****
Hours later...
At Justin's Castle...

 


Seating up in cold sweat I grip my chest tightly when I feel a sudden sharp pain shooting through it. "Oh my god." I cry out feeling Justin moving beside me deep in sleep. Gazing at him briefly, I note how his bare chest doesn't even move. He looks practically dead. His complexion may be healthier but it's still pale. Still, his facial expressions are peaceful and I have to smile slightly at how ‘ beautiful' he looks sound asleep.

As I continue to take in his features, I keep a death grip on my chest until the pain subsides. Sighing in relief, I gaze down at my ring, noting how it's glowing a bright blue like the last time. It's practically illuminating the dark room with the moonlight seeping in through the large hole in the stone wall. I'd call it a window but it's... it's not. At least not to me. It's a massive ancient style bedroom so I'm not surprised that the window is a hole in the wall like any ordinary castle.

Shifting, I feel a sudden jolt of electricity shoot through my body causing my entire frame to go rigid. Swallowing hard, I feel a sudden wave of dizziness wash over me soon afterwards and when I turn to look at Justin again, to see if I've woken him, I realize that he's still asleep on his back.

However, that doesn't last long because before I'm even aware of what's going on, his eyes pop open suddenly and in the blink of an eye, the entire room is illuminated in dim yellow lighting. Jumping in shock when his blues pierce my browns, I smile lightly for him but he's just glaring at me, almost like he's in some kind of trance.

"Justin? Did I wake you when I was moving? I'm sorry." I apologize before smoothing my palms over the red sheet uncomfortably and then my red nightgown. I can feel my mind reeling with abstract thoughts as my dizzy spells increase. It's almost like I'm dreaming wide awake because my thoughts are so vivid they feel almost like...‘visions.'

Justin is still just glaring at me silently and emotionlessly while blinking slowly. Then he gasps and shifts his vision to the ceiling before his entire body lifts off the bed, a low painful groan escaping his lips.

"Oh my god!" I belt out in astonishment. "Justin what..."

"Stop thinking Hailey." He whispers as he continues to levitate off the bed trying to move but he clearly can't. He's frozen solid in place just floating there and I'm beginning to panic. What the hell is going on?

"Justin what's going on? What's happening to you?" I inquire in freight before I grip my head, bowing slightly until I get off the bed to stand up. "God, what's happening to me!?" I ask this time when my head begins pounding. I feel like someone just took a jackhammer to my skull.

"Hailey, stop...thinking." He croaks forcefully, clearly in some type of pain.

"I can't, what's happening?" I panic, darting my eyes around the room as the rays of my ring's light dazzle me.

"Stop thinking Hailey!" He screams out this time in a loud growl but I'm too far gone now.

"Shit make it stop!" I cry out when I'm suddenly bombarded with visions of the past and future.

"Fuck!" Justin groans. "Hailey you need to turn off your thoughts, you're fucking draining my energy." Justin instructs and I lift my head up to look at him, still feeling dazed and confused.

"Ok but how Justin? How?!" I cry out, my palms slapping over my mouth when he suddenly flips over in the air, facing down towards the bed. His arms are hanging out now and he's trying to balance himself. "Oh my god, am I doing this to you?" I ask frantically.

"Yes..." He forces out. "And it hurts...a lot." He moans. "You're draining my energy...you're feeding off of it and it feels like I'm...suffocating." He says this clearly confused since no air fills his lungs.

"Oh I'm so sorry Justin, tell me how to stop it!" I plead.

"Co...concentrate." His voice is fading, almost weak now and if I'm right then I'd say he's loosing consciousness and quickly.

"Ok, ok hang on a minute." I suggest.

"I don't have a minute Hailey, now!" He pleads finally gaining some control to flip back over unto his back. Turning his head to look at me, my eyes widen when I see the already pale color of his face draining. "Concentrate."

"I...I..." I'm panicking. I don't even know what I'm doing to him! Oh my god why is this happening all of a sudden?

Clearly reading my mind, Justin swallows hard before trying to explain since he seems to be having a hard time finding his voice. "You're...coming into your full powers. And I know you're going to freak out with what I'm going to tell you but I need you to concentrate on shutting off those visions you're having. I can see them too." He explains and I frown.

"I'm not freaking out by that! I'm trying to stop this!" I wail while flying my hands up in the air, feeling utterly helpless.

"That's not the freaking out part..." Drifting off, I watch as Justin's face scrunches up in pain and I instantly go to his side gripping his hand tightly feeling a sudden heat I've never felt before radiating between us. I didn't know we were capable of warmth. "If you don't stop doing what you're doing now Hailey you're going to kill me." He explains and he says it so calmly like it's nothing.

"What!?" I scream out, watching as his eyes flutter and his grip on my hand tightens.

"It's ok, I knew this would happen. For any vampire who finds their soul mate who was human when they met has to come into their full powers and they can kill their partner when that happens since their connection is usually powerful..." That's as far as he gets before another moan leave his lips.

"And you failed to tell me this?! Damn it Justin just hang on!" I can't get angry with him now. I need to...concentrate. Shutting my eyes tightly, I place my palms flat on his bare chest to push him down slightly since he's level with my neck from where I'm standing next to him at the side of the king-sized bed.

Clearing out my surroundings from my thoughts, I concentrate hard on willing those visions away until they begin to fade slowly. It's not long before they become so blurry that I feel the pain in my head subside. And then just like that, complete blankness takes over and my eyes instantly shoot open when Justin makes a grunting noise.

Suddenly, I stumble back in shock when his eyes widen and he goes sailing across the massive bedroom until his back hits hard against the stone wall before he slides down in a heap of tangled limbs unto the carpeted floor.

Rushing over to him, I kneel down in front of him, studying his expressions, noting the weary look in his blues as he looks up at me, not making any attempt to move.

"Shit Justin." I shake my head, still feeling perplexed before I bring my wrist up to my lips. Tilting my head to the side, my fangs slowly descend. Bending down, I slit my wrist with one of my fangs and I watch as the blood oozes out of my veins, thick and sticky. Placing my wrist to Justin's lips, he doesn't waste time and grips my arm, yanking me towards him before his lips latch around my wrist like a vice and he begins drinking my life force.

Wincing in pain, I adjust my position until I'm seated sideways between his legs as he continues to suck on me hungrily. He's growling lightly and if I wasn't so baffled with what just happened, I'd be completely turned on right now.

When he has his fill, he pulls away from me, darting his tongue out to lick his lips before he lets out a satisfied sigh while resting his head back gently against the wall.

We remain like that for a few minutes in silence with Justin's vision cast upwards and me studying his expressions or lack thereof as I try to figure out what he's thinking. I'm not going to attempt to read his mind. Not after what just happened which was really weird to say the least.

"Are you going to talk to me and tell me what's going on?" I ask irritated.

That snaps him out of his thoughts and he cuts his eyes at me but remains silent.

He better start telling me something. I mean, he could have died, just like that.

"I explained to you. I told you what was happening." He finally speaks but his tone has a hint of annoyance in it. I guess he didn't care that he was almost close to unconscious a moment ago. Nothing seems to faze him. It's a little creepy sometimes.

"This is crazy. I almost killed you from my powers evolving. This is insane." I point out.

It's then I finally see Justin's lips twitch into a small half-smile as he looks around the room before locking eyes with me, his black holes evident since he just finished feeding off of me.

"It was a close call yes, but I had faith in you. You love me, you'd never let it go that far." He shrugs and just like that, he brushes the entire incident off like it was simply nothing. Amazing.

I just sit there for a bit and stare at him in awe as he slowly gets off the floor before stretching out his limbs tiredly. Passing his hands through his short curls, he disappears into the large walk in wardrobe, leaving me alone in the room.

Then his voice filters through my consciousness, and I scowl still feeling a little edgy. "Get dressed Hailey, we're not sleeping for the rest of the night."

I'm very used to Justin's creepy mind-reading self now, but that doesn't stop it from still freaking me out slightly.

"Why?" I think back.

"You're fully evolved now. I'm guessing tonight is going to be a little..." There's a long pause and I stay silent waiting to hear the soft, faint hums of Justin's voice like a whisper by my ear but I hear nothing.

Then he comes into view, fully clothed in black from head to toe with a black beanie on his head.

When I glare at him oddly because he's in black again, he just laughs out before using his powers to lift me from where I'm still sitting on the carpet to bring me over to him. Now standing face to face, he leans forward and presses his cold lips against mine affectionately before he pulls away. "Tonight is going to be different." He finally finishes his statement.

"How so?" I inquire curiously and Justin's smooth face easily contorts into a frown, worry lacing his features. This isn't like him at all. He doesn't get worried. In fact the only times I remember seeing his worried face was when Vampira was mentioned.

Then it hits me....

"Wait, do you think Vampira is going to show up?" I ask panic-stricken.

Narrowing his eyes at me, he pulls his beanie further down his head before fixing his black jacket. "Get dressed Hailey." Is the only response I'm met with before Justin swiftly exits the large bedroom leaving me alone.

 

 

*****

 

 

Moments later, I'm fully dressed in a pair of jeans and a light blue top and sandals. I kind of needed a break from the English attire that Justin stuffed the wardrobe with for me. I swear he must think we're back in medieval times or something. I can't dress like that all the time.

Making it down to the ballroom, I hear faint chattering until my father, my family of protectors and Justin come into view. When they see me, all chattering instantly ceases as they size me up, studying me intently. I swear these people are so weird. I can't believe I'm related to them. And I still don't know who is who but I did memorize their names so I take it upon myself to greet them all personally.
"Hi, Hilbert, Vaughn, William, Cecily, Silvia, Bernard, Marcel, Katrina, Morgan and Troy."

They all smile for me and return my hello before my father interrupts. "Sweetie how are you feeling?" Coming over to me, my dad gives me a once over before engulfing me into a hug. Giving me a kiss on my cheek, I sigh from his warmth because it's something I miss in a person's embrace. Justin is amazing, but he's still cold to the touch and just hugging my dad now and inhaling his fresh blood is soothing. Surprisingly, I feel calm.

"Watch it Fox. Your own daughter is thinking about biting you." Justin muses and my eyes widen before I pull away from my father, watching the amusement on his face. I know for a fact if I was still mortal, I would be all shades of red. But, it's still embarrassing though.

I can hear my other family members snickering in the background as I cut my eyes at Justin. "He's lying dad." I defend, still glaring at Justin.

"Yeah, she's right I am. Your scent actually soothes her strangely enough." Justin shrugs and I groan angrily.

"Would you get out of my head Justin?!" I snap but he just gazes at me emotionlessly, before my father decides to intervene.

"It's ok, sweetie. Don't worry about it. Justin is just being a good partner."

"Oh yeah dad? I think he secretly enjoys it...spying on me and my most inner thoughts." Turning to face Justin, I note how his blues darken as he folds his arms across his chest, staring at me mutely. "It would be virtually impossible to cheat on you Justin...why with you always in my head and all. You'd know before I even do it." I say curtly just to piss him off. I seem to be the only person who can get Justin riled up if he's not maybe feeding or battling some enemy. Most times, he's usually cool, calm and collected.

"If you did that I'd kill you." He says nonchalantly with a challenging glimmer in his now black orbs and my eyes widen slightly but before I can reply with a smart comment that he'd die too if he killed me, my father comes between us again.

"I have no doubt that you two were meant for each other." Fox laughs and I roll my eyes. "But Hailey, Justin told me what happened up in your room and I'm sure that you connected to Violet without knowing that you did when you evolved. Now, there was a disturbance outside earlier with a few of her slaves trying to get past security at the entrance of the castle grounds."

"What?" I belt out in confusion before slicking my fingers through my long dark hair. "But..."

"Violet is coming..." Justin suddenly blurts out as his head darts over to the large door that leads out to the garden.

I can see my family members at full alert as they follow his gaze and I instantly tense before taking a step to stand next to my dad.

Then Justin suddenly lets out a loud growl before he takes flight, floating in mid-air in the brightly illuminated ballroom. Turning around to look at me, he arches a brow in concern.

"Put me down Hailey." He demands and I glare at him like he's crazy.

"What!? I'm not doing that!" I point at him.

"Yes you are, in your subconscious. You're not aware but I know you are. Put.me.down.now." He growls angrily and my dad chuckles heartily.

"This battle should be interesting. But don't worry honey, you'll be amazed at how you gain control of your powers quickly when faced with life threatening situations."

My father is crazy. He's talking like it's nothing and that we could just stick a stake through Violet's heart and walk away alive and in one piece.


Sighing in defeat, I concentrate on Justin descending and I watch in awe as he slowly comes back down until he's standing on his two feet again.

Shaking his head at me, his blues return but not for long. They switch back to pure black seconds later as his head darts in the direction of the garden doors again.

"Why is it that I only make you levitate?" I inquire.

"It's because you don't have full control yet of your new powers. Unfortunately for me, since I'm your other half, I get the sunny side of your unpredictability." He says this while keeping his vision fixated on the doors. It's almost like he's willing them to open, even if I know he could do that with ease. He's waiting for something. Do I even want to know what?

Gazing around, I realize that my entire family, even my father are ready with their weapons. Oh no, please tell me this isn't happening now. I can't fight Vampira now...I just can't!

"But why flying?" I'm trying to keep my mind off the impending doom I feel is looming just around the corner for all of us.

"It's your biggest fear. It consumes your subconscious. So, that's the part of your powers that act out subconsciously. I'm lucky. It could have been shape-shifting spells or teleporting. You could be teleporting me to all corners of the world or turning me into a woman." Justin chuckles but never once turns around to face me as he says this. He's talking to me, but his focus is on something else and I'm curious as to what though it's clearly obvious.

But then, his next statement catches me off guard and he utters it the exact same time as my dad, leaving me wondering how my dad could possibly know the same thing that Justin does.

"She's at the entrance. She's going to send her slaves in first to weaken us in battle." Justin and my dad says in unison and I just glare dumbfounded at them. What just happened?

"Excuse me what?" I spit out. I mean we were just standing here in the middle of the freaking ballroom talking! Now they're saying that Vampira is outside!? What the hell? This is the weirdest day ever!

Then that stupid ring on my finger begins glowing the brightest I've ever seen and I stomp my foot angrily, ready to make my exit but stop abruptly when Justin levitates into the air again. Oh no, don't tell me I'm doing this to him again.

"I'm fine now Hailey, I'm on my own."
He messages me telepathically and I slump my shoulders. "And you can't go. If my senses are right...this is it and any minute now a slew of vampires are going to bust through those doors."




The moment Justin finishes that thought, he practically teleports through mid-air towards the ballroom entrance facing the long winding stairway. My family members are hot on his trail with their silver swords, stakes and bright white lights and it's then that I hear it - a loud commotion going on from somewhere inside of the castle that seems to be getting closer.

Stepping back, I clutch my chest when I feel it tighten, nearly jumping out of my skin when my dad touches my shoulder. Turning around to face him he smiles slightly at me with worry etched into his aging features.

"This is it Hail. Remember, Justin needs you and it's important that you keep each other alive." The moment those words leave my dad's lips, the main doors to the ballroom bust open and my eyes grow wide with terror when I take in the swarm of vampires that just entered engaged in battle - Vampira's slaves and Justin's ‘guards.'

Looking around for Justin, I pick up on him speeding through the air with one of Vampira's slaves hot on his trail before he whips around and throws a force field sending the other vampire sailing to the other side of the room. My dad pulls out his silver sword and calls out to me to go and help Justin before he disappears into the sea of vampires in battle.

Oh please....oh please tell me this isn't happening now. We didn't plan for this. It's...it's too soon. I know I wanted it to be over quickly but not like this. Not like this!

"Hailey!" Snapping my head up in Justin's direction when he calls out to me, I remain frozen in place until he uses his powers to lift me off the floor.

Gasping in shock, I'm only now realizing that another vampire was charging right towards me and would have collided with me if Justin hadn't done what he did.

Coming over to me where I'm nearly touching the chandelier, he frowns in perplexity.

"Now is not the time to freeze with all the training you've done. Snap out of it!" Justin says forcefully, before throwing a few punches and kicks in mid-air when another one of those monsters attack him. "Some help would be nice Hailey!" Justin beckons, and I quickly gaze at his black orbs before I feel a sense of immeasurable rage take over. Oh no, what's happening to me?

Before I'm even aware of what I'm doing, all the training I've done for the past month plus instantly kicks in and just like that, I morph into this completely different being as I feel my strength triple tenfold, allowing me to send one of our enemies sailing right through those large, hard, thick ballroom doors.

Pausing briefly, Justin glares at the destroyed doors in awe before a smile spreads across his face. "Now that was amazing. You're stronger than I thought." He says proudly. Whipping his head towards the mass hysteria going on below us, I follow his gaze noting the four vampires that just lifted off the floor to come at us. I can see my family members below there as well, stabbing and blinding those creatures as they burst into flames, the same creature I've become. But all that is forgotten when Justin snaps me out of my thoughts, our current opponents coming at us, at full speed...

"Ok, we've got this Hail. Let's kick some ass love..."

 

*****

Poem by: Michael Farquer

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=922