Author's Chapter Notes:
The moment has arrived for the Marissa/Lynn drama to begin. Hope you enjoy!!
 

I looked back to the car I just got out of and saw her standing in front of it looking back and forth from me to Luke and twirling her thumbs. She was beyond nervous which was partially my fault by telling her about my mother's reservations. I made sure I approached my parents first so that they wouldn't go off on me with Marissa standing right there. I love my mother and all but she would find nothing wrong in that. She greeted me with a big hug and a kiss and when I asked her if she was going to flip out or not she said that she had come to terms with the fact that I'm 26 years old and I can make my own decisions. She said that when it all ended badly I was not allowed to come crying to her, and that she had a lot of questions to ask Marissa about her intentions and life plans. Even though I didn't want her to ask Marissa any questions I realized that we were getting off pretty easily and silently thanked my father with my eyes for calming my mother down about this whole situation because I know she didn't come to terms with it on her own.

 

I motioned for her to come over and after one last look back to her best friend she started very slowly walking towards us. I felt awful for putting her in the position she was in and let my mother know one last time how nervous she was to meet them and to be nice to her.

 

"I'm always nice Justin, quit makin' me out to be the devil," was her response. Before stating that Marissa was an awfully slow walker.

 

"She's nervous Mama, and rightfully so." She made it over to us with a smile on her face and her thumbs going a mile a minute. "Mama, Dad, this is my girlfriend Marissa, Ris these are my parents Lynn and Paul Harless."

 

"It's really nice to meet both of you," Marissa said putting her hand out for them to shake.

 

"Oh there are no handshakes in this family sweetheart, we hug," my father said pulling her in for a hug, "It's so nice to meet you, Justin's told us a lot about you."

 

"Yes, he's told us all about how you two met," my mother said giving her a kiss on the cheek. She stepped back over to me and I put my arm around her. I could tell that her nerves hadn't subsided. "Who's that in the car still Justin? Is that Trace? What's wrong with him not coming out to say hello...TRACE," she called out.

 

"Mama, that's not Trace in the car. That's Marissa's friend Luke."

 

"Oh, I see you're already traveling with an entourage sweetie,"

 

"MAMA!"

 

"N...No, I actually didn't even know..."

 

"I invited him out here Mama not Marissa. Quit being so rude."

 

"Watch your tone with me young man!"

 

"Could you help me a little here Pop?" I said as Marissa squeezed my hand.

 

"Lynn, be a little bit nicer dear. The girl hasn't done anything to you."

 

"I am being perfectly nice," she said giving myself and my father the death stare, "I don't know what the girl is so nervous about, I'm not going to do anything to her in broad daylight."

 

"MAMA!" I said again.

 

"Oh it's just a joke Justin, calm down you know I'm not violent."

 

"Well no one is laughing Mama, please." We stood there in silence for what felt like hours but was really probably only 10 seconds.

 

"Well, your father and I are going to get settled in. We'll meet for dinner in an hour yes? I can't wait to find out more about you Marissa."

 

"We'll see you in the lobby in an hour," I said.

 

"Nice meeting you," Marissa said in a whisper.

 

My mother turned and walked into the hotel with her purse on one shoulder and a suitcase rolling behind her. "Don't worry about her," my father said to Marissa, "She's just very protective of Justin, she'll loosen up by the end of dinner I promise." She shook her head as my father turned to follow my mother. After watching them walk over to the elevators she turned to me with a look of panic in her eyes.

 

"Your parents hate me."

 

"They do not hate you baby," I said pulling her into a hug, "I actually think that went quite well."

 

"YOU THINK THAT WENT WELL?" she screamed, "Justin, your mother threatened me!"

 

"She did not! You heard her, she's not a violent person."

 

"She said she wasn't going to do anything to me in broad daylight. What's going to happen when the sun goes down Justin? Don't you leave me alone with her after the sun sets."

 

"You're joking right?"

 

"No I'm not joking! Are you joking?

 

"Marissa, everything is fine. You heard what my father said. Just give her a chance to warm up to you. You have nothing to worry about, I promise you that she will love you by the end of dinner tonight."

 

"And what if she doesn't?"

 

"Then we'll have to break up," I said with a laugh.

 

"Justin that's not funny."

 

"Baby, I'm just kidding loosen up. She's going to love you, I have no doubt about it."

 

"If you say so," she said wrapping her arms around my waist and putting her head on my chest. I kissed the top of her head and looked up to see Luke walking over to us.

 

"How'd it go?" he asked.

 

"His parents hate me, and when the sun goes down his mother is going to murder me and if by chance I get out alive and she still doesn't like me I'll be boyfriendless," she said before turning around and walking into the lobby of the hotel and hugging Lonnie who was standing inside waiting for us.

 

"So it went well?" Luke said jokingly after watching her stomp away.

 

"Swimmingly," I said trying to contain my laughter. "But in all seriousness it went fine. My mother over reacted; Marissa over reacted and the men took control. By the end of dinner they'll love each other and stay up all night talking about knitting or something. I'm really not worried about it. In reality they're the same people and my mother doesn't want to lose me to her and she thinks that if my mother doesn't approve I'm going to kick her ass to the curb, which is untrue."

 

"As long as you don't get my best friend killed, I'm not worried about it."

 

"I can guarantee that no murders will be taking place tonight." I heard Marissa yell for me from inside the hotel. She was pissed off that I wasn't taking this seriously and that we were making jokes about it. She had a right to be upset, but she didn't know my mother and if she did she would have thought this was funny too. We walked into the hotel and Lonnie handed me the keys to my room and the keys to Luke's room. Marissa was standing at the door to the stairwell waiting for me with an angry look on her face. I handed Luke his keys and told him what room we'd be in and told him he was welcome to have dinner with us.

 

"As much as I'd love to see this go down, this is probably something you guys should do alone. Good luck though I'm sure it will be a shitshow."

 

"Thanks for all of your support man, I may need to call you for backup." He laughed while walking over to Marissa to give her a hug before getting on the elevator. I handed her a key to the room and she looked up at me with eyes I'd never seen on her before. She was obviously mad at me and was doing a damn good job letting me know.

 

"How many flights are we walking up this time 37?"

 

"Two."

 

"What do you mean two?"

 

"I mean we're walking up two flights of stairs. I requested a room on a lower floor."

 

"Well why would you do that Justin?"

 

"Because neither you nor I want to walk up 37 flights of stairs Marissa. And I've told you a million times I don't care if my room is on the top floor or the first floor."

 

"Stop making changes to your life for me."

 

"I'm not. Marissa this is not that big of a deal would you stop worrying about it. The room is set up the same way a room on the top floor would be set up, and my parents do not hate you. Now can we stop fighting about this in the lobby of a hotel?"

 

"Whatever," she said turning around and walking up the stairs. I really didn't think meeting my parents would be this big of a deal for her, and she should be happy that I got a room on the second floor she's the one that asked me to do it. Sure I may be taking a situation that's a big deal in her eyes and making it a joke, but that's the way I handle things when they get awkward. By the time I made it up the stairs, the door to our room was left open, and she was in the bedroom with her laptop in front of her and notebooks open all around her. I let her sit there and pout while I unpacked my stuff and freshened up. I came back 45 minutes later to her in the same position with the same look on her face.

 

"What are you doing?"

 

"What does it look like I'm doing?"

 

"Marissa, what is the problem here? Why are you do mad?"

 

"I'm not mad."

 

"So you're happy?"

 

"Thrilled," she said still not looking at me.

 

"Baby," I said sitting down on the bed next to her and closing her laptop. "Stop worrying about my parents. I need you to trust me on this one; I've known them for 26 years I know how they work. I'm sorry I made a joke out of it, but that's just how I get when I'm in an awkward position."

 

"I'm not going to dinner."

 

"Marissa...stop."

 

"Justin, I have nothing to offer your parents. I already have a bad rap because I'm a fan, I'm sure they think I'm a gold digger and when it comes down to it that's exactly what I look like. I live paycheck to paycheck; I live in a dorm room and get around by public transportation. I get bills in the mail every month that say past due, and when I graduate college I'm going to be over my head in debt. I'm here right now on your tab, and I'll be in LA next week on your tab. I have nothing to offer them. Girlfriends you've had have been in the business, and that's comforting to them because they know that they're not in it for the money. But no matter what whether your parents like me or not, they'll think or someone else is always going to think that I'm in it for the money."

 

"You're serious?"

 

"Yes I'm serious. This is not a joke to me Justin, even though I know you and Luke think that it is. I have no right dating a celebrity."

 

"Since when have I been a celebrity in your eyes? Last time I checked I was just Justin."

 

"You are just Justin to me. But to everyone else you're a celebrity and I'm a gold digger that's not good enough for you, and they're right. Well not about the gold digger part but I'm not good enough for you Justin."

 

"And when did you come to this conclusion may I ask?"

 

"I heard everything you and Luke said in the car. I know I should have told you I was awake but I didn't and everything you said just made me realize that you are even more amazing then I thought you were. You're everything a girl could ask for and more. You would do anything for me. If I said Justin come visit me you'd get on a plane and come, and I can't do that for you even though I want to and that's not fair to you. I realized it when we were standing out there talking to your parents, I don't know why but I did. I can't impress them no matter how hard I try, and you deserve to take someone home to your parents that you can show off and that they'll love. How can they love someone like me? Someone with no family, no money, no future. It's not fair for me to rely on you when you can't rely on me too. You deserve so much better then me Justin." She finally looked up at me and there were tears forming in her eyes. I could tell that she was trying so hard not to let them fall, so I immediately wiped them away before they were able to.

 

"I love you I don't know if you fully understand that. None of that other stuff matters to me. The money, the family, the fact that you can't just hop on a plane and see me, it doesn't matter. What matters to me is this," I said pointing to her heart, "and this," I pointed to her mouth. "All that matters to me is that you care, and that you want to do those things not if you can physically do them. What matters to me is that the smile on your face is always there. I love you for you, not because of the money you have or the material things that you own. I love you because you make me happy, you care about me, and you make me giddy. I love you because when I'm with you I feel complete, and because you have my best intentions at heart. I don't care that you're not a celebrity or that you don't know what you're going to do after you graduate. In fact I'm jealous that you get to go to college, and that you get to worry about what comes next. I never had that, my life was always planned out for me, not that I'm complaining but you get the point. You are here right now so that I CAN show you off to my parents. I want them to see how amazing you are and how happy you make me and I know for a fact that they will love you just like I do by the end of the day today. You are everything that I want, and everything that I need; there is no one in this whole world that is better for me then you. So stop with this I deserve better shit because it's a load of crap. I love you and only you, and will only love you for the rest of my life do you understand that?"

 

"I'm sorry, I know I'm acting crazy I'm just scared."

 

"I told you a million times I'm not going anywhere Marissa I really need you to believe me."

 

"I do...I believe you and I'm not scared of that at all. I'm just...I'm scared because I'm in love with you okay? I'm in love with you and I'm scared because I swore to myself that I would never allow myself to love someone again. Because by loving someone I let my guard down, and it's not safe to let my guard down. But I am in love with you, and this relationship is going to be harder then anything I could have ever imagined getting myself into, and I'm so scared I'm going to fail and I'm going to hurt you or myself. I'm just in love with you okay? This isn't how I wanted to tell you but it is what it is..."

 

I pulled her face to mine and put my lips on hers to stop her from talking. She wrapped her arms around my neck and wrapped her legs around my waist. She pulled away after a few minutes and put her head on my shoulder kissing my neck. She finally said it out loud to me. She scared shitless, and so am I, but I know we'll make this work because we love each other. "It doesn't matter to me what anyone else says Marissa. I don't care what my parent's think of you, what my friends think of you, my family, or the press. All that matters to me is what I think of you, and I love you. This relationship is between me and you and no one else. All that matters is you and me. You're scared, and so am I but this is going to work I give you my word."

 

"I love you so much Justin."

 

"I love you too baby don't you ever forget that okay?"

 

"I won't," she said before kissing me again. I started pushing her notebooks off of the bed when I heard a sniffle come from behind me. I turned around and looked at the entrance to the bedroom and saw my mother standing there with a tissue wiping the tears off of her face.

 

"Mama! What...what are you doing here?" Marissa jumped off of me the moment she heard me say my mothers name.

 

"Oh my God...Mrs. Harless I'm so sorry I didn't know you were there..."

 

"Oh sweetie please don't apologize, and please call me Lynn. I should be the one that's sorry. We were waiting in the lobby for you and when you didn't come out Lonnie gave me the spare key to come get you, and when I came in I heard you guys talking and...Oh dear that was just...that was emotional." She was wiping away tears and Marissa was staring at me panicked. I didn't know what to do, or what to say to either Marissa or my mother. "Oh sweetheart, I never thought you weren't good enough for Justin, please don't think that. I'm just over protective of him and I'm sorry. It's so obvious that you love him and he loves you; please don't think I hate you or that I'd ever come between you two. You are perfect for my son and I'm so happy for you to be a part of our family, oh gosh look at me I'm a mess." She walked over to the bed and threw her arms around Marissa. Her eyes never left mine and the look of shock on her face was priceless.

 

"Mama, you didn't think to let us know you were standing right there?" I asked.

 

"I'm sorry Justin, but that was just such a beautiful moment I couldn't interrupt it."

 

"It was suppose to be a private moment..."

 

"Shut up Justin," Marissa interrupted, "You mother likes me."

 

"I know that she likes you babe, but still that was something very private."

 

"Justin, your mother likes me that's all that matters right now." The look on her face was hilarious. She truly believed that my mother was never going to like her, and I couldn't help but laugh, which in turn made everyone else in the room laugh as well.

 

"You're right, that is all that matters right now," I said leaning in and kissing her cheek. "We'll be right down Mama, we've just got to change."

 

"Take your time kids, we'll meet you in the lobby," she said before giving Marissa and myself a kiss. "You two are just too cute!" she said walking out of the room. 

 

I looked at my girlfriend and we both just burst out laughing. "Did that just happen?"

 

"I think it did," she said with a huge smile on her face.

 

"Good thing I heard her sniffle because I was about to rip your clothes off."

 

"Bummer, I'm sure your mom was totally up for a show after that performance."

 

"That is the most disgusting thing I've ever heard in my life," I said with a cringe.

 

"Can I take a rain check for after dinner?"

 

"I don't know about that, I usually don't offer rain checks."

 

"But I love you," she said with a fake pout.

 

"Well in that case I guess I'll have to give you one."

 

"Thanks," she said as she kissed my nose and got off of the bed. "I'm going to change, wanna watch?"

 

"Yes, but if I do once those clothes come off new ones won't go back on." I heard her close the door to the bathroom and giggle.

 

"Hey Justin," she called from the bathroom.

 

"Yeah babe?"

 

"Your mom likes me," she said in a singsong voice.

 

"I told you she liked you, she probably likes you more then she likes me."

 

"Probably, but that's just because she can't sleep with you. If she could she'd like you way more."

 

"You are so fucking gross Marissa, so gross."

 

"But you love me."

 

"I do, I really fucking do."

 

Chapter End Notes:
Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: daddyj boyfriendj love proposal