Author's Chapter Notes:

“And I think," Jasmine said, standing up and stretching, "your no sex on tour buses rule is going to be out the window before the end of the week."

 

"You awake?" JC’s voice was soft in the darkness.

 

With closed eyes Casey flipped onto her stomach, turning her head in his direction. “Almost."

 

He ran his hand down her back, and kissed her cheek. His lips lingered against her skin for a moment longer before he moved them over to her ear. “I want you to ride the bus with me for the rest of the tour.” The whispered words came out before he’d really taken the time to consider them.

 

She didn’t immediately reply, and her breathing continued at the same easy pace. Although she gave no indication that she’d heard him he knew she had.

 

"The rest of the tour.” Her voice was calm, devoid of any particular inflection. If she felt a particular way about the question, negative or positive, he couldn’t tell by her tone.

 

He kissed her ear again, and felt her tremble beneath him. “It’s almost over.”

 

She sighed. “After the past week and everything I told you last night, don’t you think we should maybe...I don’t know, ease back into things?”

 

That time JC was thoughtfully silent for a long moment as his fingers played lightly up and down her back. “I think,” he began slowly, “after the past week and everything you told me last night, that easing back into things is a terrible idea. We’ve wasted enough time.”

 

After another beat, Casey nodded. “OK.” She opened her eyes to smile at him and stretched out, turning onto her back.

 

He raised an eyebrow. “OK? Just like that?”

 

She sat up and wrapped her arms around her bent knees. “It’s like you said: I’ve wasted a lot of time.”

 

He scooted closer to her and brushed his lips across her shoulder. “I expected you to put up a fight.”

 

She smiled, lifting one shoulder in a shrug. “I’ve done enough of that lately and it hasn’t really worked out for me.” She ran her fingers through his hair. “Besides, I trust you.”

 

“It’s about time,” he said, laughing.

 

She swatted at him playfully and yawned. “Mind if I get in the shower first? I need to wake up.”

 

“We could do it together?” He nudged her with a wicked smile.

 

Casey smirked at him before standing up. “Pretty sure that won’t involve any actual showering.”

 

“You say that like it’s a bad thing.” JC watched her walk toward the bathroom, still smiling.

 

***

 

Casey ran backstage, catching the towel the stagehand tossed to her as she passed. “Thanks,” she said. She wrapped it around her neck, using a corner of it to wipe her forehead.

 

“Was it me or was it especially hot out there tonight?” Mike toweled off his own face

 

“It was definitely hotter than usual,” Jasmine agreed as she followed them further backstage.

 

Lawrence brought up the rear, mopping up his profusely sweating face and neck. “That was more than the lights tonight; it was hot as balls.”

 

They were used to the heat of the stage lights night after night, but that evening the rising temperature seemed to be all around them.

 

Before they could discuss it further, Everett approached them with an apologetic look and a shake of his head. “Sorry about the heat, guys. There’s an issue with the thermostat that controls the stage and the area around it. They’ve been trying to fix it for the last fifteen minutes, which is, unfortunately, too late for you.”

 

“Well, that explains it,” Jasmine said.

 

“I hope it’s fixed before the guys go out there,” Casey said. “With all of the stuff going onstage with them, they might literally melt.”

 

“It’ll definitely be done before then,” Everett assured her, already beginning to walk away. “Even if we have to delay the show by a few minutes. Like I said, I’m sorry you bore the brunt of it. The air-conditioner’s still working elsewhere, though. I’d suggest you find a cool spot, and rehydrate with a cool drink.” He shrugged and jogged off in the other direction.

 

“Hey.”

 

Casey turned to the sound of the voice to find JC smiling down at her. “Hey. No, don’t--”

 

He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her into a bear hug before she could stop him. “Don’t what?”

 

She giggled and half-heartedly pushed him away. “I’m gross and sweaty, like way more than usual. I was trying to warn you.”

 

He shrugged one shoulder and dropped a kiss on her lips. “I didn’t notice.” Mike cleared his throat and JC glanced up, seeming to see Casey’s dancers for the first time. “Good show tonight, guys.”

 

Mike smirked back at him. “Thanks. Uh...looks like you two made up?” He wiggled his eyebrows as Lawrence and Jasmine snickered.

 

JC shook his head with a smile and looked back down at Casey. “I gotta finish getting dressed, but I wanted to make sure you’re still planning on--”

 

“Yes, JC,” Casey interrupted in feigned exasperation. “I’m getting on your bus tonight; Christoff made sure my stuff’s already there.”

 

He grinned. “OK, good.” He kissed her again, letting his lips linger a little bit longer that time. When he pulled away from her they were met with several whistles and catcalls. “I’ll see you in a couple hours.”

 

Casey bit her lip, trying to hide her own grin. She could feel her friends eyes on her, but she kept walking toward their dressing room without looking up.

 

“I’ll take that as a yes,” Mike mumbled from behind her.

 

Jasmine moved up next to Casey and nudged her shoulder. “When you didn’t come back to the room last night I figured things must’ve gone OK, but then you were pretty quiet most of today so I wasn’t sure. But it looks like things are good?”

 

They reached the dressing room and Casey pushed open the door to go inside. “I, uh…” She glanced at her friends and chuckled, taking in their eagers eyes on her. “Yeah. We’re good.”

 

“Oh come on, Case,” Lawrence admonished. “You gotta give us more than that. What happened last night?”

 

“You guys are the worst, you know that?” She snorted, shaking her head. “We talked. A lot. I, uh…” She sighed, dropping down to the nearest chair in the room. “I apologized for being...well, the way I was being. And for reasons I still don’t understand, JC forgave me. And...yeah.” She gestured as if she didn’t know what else to say. “We’re good now. Really, really good.”

 

“Good.” Jasmine tossed Casey a bottle of water and collapsed onto a nearby loveseat. “He was mopey the whole time we were in New York.”

 

Casey raised an eyebrow. “He didn’t look mopey in that picture you sent me.” She sobered for a moment, remembering how seeing the image had her reduced her to crying in her garage.

 

“He was,” Mike chimed in. “He’s just used to smiling for the camera when he has to; you know how that is, Case.” He looked at her pointedly. “He pretty much stayed in his room the whole time that they didn’t have to be out doing something.”

 

She’d believed JC when he told her how much he’d missed her during the week they spent apart, but hearing it from other people was deeply gratifying to her in a way that almost made her feel bad.

 

Almost.

 

“So what’s the deal about his bus?” Lawrence asked with a mischievous gleam in his eyes. “You’ve ridden it before, I know, but he seemed serious about making sure you were getting on it tonight.”

 

Casey felt her cheeks flush and she began nervously running her hands over her legs. “Um, there’s no deal, really. Like you said, I’ve ridden it before so…” She glanced up, seeing the anticipatory way Lawrence was looking at her. “He asked me if I would stay on his bus for the rest of the tour so I guess he just wanted to make sure I hadn’t changed my mind.”

 

“The rest of the tour?” Jasmine repeated. “That’s pretty serious.”

 

“The tour’ll be over in a matter of weeks, Jazz.” Casey shrugged. “I mean, he’s done everything my way up to this point, so…”

 

“So you’re just trying to return the favor?” Lawrence asked.

 

“No,” Casey replied quickly. “I mean, yes, but it’s more than just that.” She made a face as she grappled for the right words. “JC’s been really patient and gentle with me when I haven’t made it very easy. And I just...I want him to know what that means to me. What he means to me. The tour’s almost over, and if riding on his bus until the is a way I can do that, then I’ll do it.”

 

Lawrence gave her a knowing smile. “I think he’ll appreciate that.”

 

“And I think,” Jasmine said, standing up and stretching, “your no sex on tour buses rule is going to be out the window before the end of the week.”

 

Casey groaned. “I swear sex is all you think about, Jazz. Damn!”

 

***  

 

Casey stretched her legs out on the couch and inhaled deeply. She was enjoying the quiet of the bus while *NSYNC was still onstage; not even the bus driver was currently occupying the space with her. Her bodyguards were nearby, but considering the fact that the buses were parked in a secure lot under the venue, she felt completely at ease. Some of it was the location, but most of it was what had happened the night before.

 

She still couldn’t believe that the previous evening had gone as well at it had. That JC had forgiven her. He’d let her off easy, she thought. Accepting her apology before it was even officially spoken. As grateful as she was, as blissfully happy as she’d felt waking up next to him knowing that they were OK, she also felt a little guilty. It had taken her so long to tell him, and she’d wasted so much time. The tour was almost over, and whether or not she’d be accompanying them to Europe was yet to be officially determined.

 

She’d woken up in the middle of the night and watched him sleep. His breathing was barely audible in the stillness of the night, but she could see the even rise and fall of his stomach. As she’d moved a strand of his hair away from his face, she was stricken with the thought that she’d almost screwed it all up. And she was beyond thankful that she hadn’t. Still, she didn’t know what was going to happen with Tony’s book, or what would happen when her relationship with JC came out publicly. And since he wanted her to ride the bus with him, it was almost certain to happen sooner rather than later.

 

But even with that looming, there was the fact that she trusted him. That she’d never felt as safe or cared for as she did with him. And she didn’t want to miss out on any more time with him. Although she’d been a little caught off guard when he asked her to ride his bus, she felt no hesitation or misgivings about telling him yes. She briefly wondered if it was possible they’d get to a point where they were spending too much time together, where maybe they’d begin to get on each other’s nerves. But the thought was fleeting and she didn’t entertain it. If it came down to it, she’d go back to her bus until the end.

 

She glanced down at her phone, taking note of the time. Before the small space filled with rowdy young men, high off post-performance adrenaline, and their security, she wanted to get a particular phone call out of the way. She chose a number and waited as the phone rang.

 

“Hi, Casey,” the familiar voice answered after the third ring. “I still don’t have anything new to tell you about the book.” As if she could see Casey’s grimace, Dara continued. “But in this case, no news is probably good news, OK?”

 

“No, it’s not really OK but I guess there’s nothing I can do about it.” Casey grunted. “I told JC. About the book, and about what happened in the hotel room that day.” After a brief pause she added, “He thinks I should testify if it means getting a restraining order.”

 

“Casey, that’s...I’m glad to hear that.”

 

Casey could clearly hear the surprise in her manager’s voice and she laughed lightly. “You probably still think I should.”

 

“Um…”

 

Casey got the impression that her manager was thinking over what to say next. “If you really think it’s a good idea…” She trailed off quietly.

 

“Let’s wait,” Dara said, surprising her client. “Like I said; there doesn’t even appear to be anything happening with the book right now, so you may not need to worry about it.”

 

Casey exhaled heavily, feeling something close to relief flooding her.

 

“There are a couple of other things, though.”

 

And just like that, trepidation filled her again. “What’s that?”

 

Dara cleared her throat. “Well, I told you a few months ago that *NSYNC has offered you the opening act slot for the European leg of their tour, when it begins later this year.”

 

“Yeah; do I need to sign some more paperwork or something?”

 

“Well, before you make that decision, you should know that you have another offer.”

 

Nervousness gave way to excited anticipation and Casey sat up. “Someone else wants me to open for them? Who?” She couldn’t imagine leaving JC and the rest of the guys to be someone else’s opening act, but it was exciting to know what someone else wanted her on tour.

 

“It’s not an opening act offer, actually.” Dara waited a beat before saying, “Mya wants you to co-headline a North American tour with her.”

 

Casey felt all the breath leave her body and she sat completely unable to speak for a moment.

 

“Are you still there?”

 

She sputtered. “My-Mya? She wants me to co-headline?”

 

Dara chuckled. “She does. Her people reached out with a formal request today and...well, Casey, it’ll be smaller than the venues you’ve been doing with *NSYNC, but I think it’ll be good for you. And as co-headliner, you’ll have full creative input from the beginning. I think this is an incredible opportunity for you.”

 

A couple of emotions rushed through her simultaneously. She was honored; the prospect of not just headlining a tour, but doing it with an artist she respected immensely electrified her. The possibility of designing her own stage performance from start to finish thrilled her beyond belief.

 

But there was also JC to consider, and by extension her relationship with the members of *NSYNC.

 

She and JC were in a good space. Having cleared the air allowed them to be closer than she could’ve imagined. There was a comfort she found in him that went beyond him just being her boyfriend. He understood her life in a way that no one else did. The idea of trading the security and connection of being with him on a daily basis for an unknown equation with Mya was a scary one.

 

“When do I need to make a decision?” she asked quietly.

 

“Well, if you’re going back out with *NSYNC the contracts would need to be signed fairly soon. You have a bit more time to decide what to do about the tour with Mya.”

 

“Can I let you know at the end of the tour?”

 

“I’m sure that will be fine.”

 

“So what’s the other thing?”

 

“Well, you guys are headed to New York soon and *NSYNC will be live on TRL the day of the first show. How’d you like to be on, too?” Dara asked.

 

Again, Casey gaped. She was as much a fan of Carson Daly and Total Request Live as anyone. She’d completely freaked out when her first single debuted on the countdown at number six. “Seriously?”

 

“Seriously,” Dara repeated with a chuckle. “Your video has been bouncing back and forth between number one and two for the past week. You’re going back and forth with *NSYNC.”

 

She grinned. “Huh. That’s...that’s cool. I’d love to be on it, too.” After a beat she continued. “Uh, while I have you on the phone there’s something you should know.” She heard her manager’s barely audible groan and smiled to herself.

 

“OK,” Dara said slowly.

 

“JC and I...well, long story short, we got into a fight, but we made up. And now I’m kind of riding his bus. Like, until the tour ends. And, um, I was thinking, since you brought up TRL and everything, maybe that would be as good a place as any to...well, to kind of be...a couple...like, publicly.”

 

Dara was quiet for a few seconds before saying, “That would certainly be one way to handle it.”

 

Casey chuckled. “I know how crazy I sound, OK? To go from not wanting anyone to know to wanting to broadcast it--literally--on national television.” She sighed. “I don’t want to make a big deal about it or anything, but if we’re just there together, and maybe Carson asks about the rumors, we could set them straight, right? I mean, with the truth this time.”

 

“I think…” Dara inhaled. “Let me talk to Johnny and I’ll get back to you, OK?”

 

“Yeah, that sounds good.” Casey heard voices getting closer and she got up on her knees to look out the window. “I gotta go, Dara; the boys are on their way back.”

 

“OK, Casey. I’ll be in touch.”

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: missionary oral girlontop love tour abusiveex hotel boyfriendjc tourjc jc tabloids friendswithbenefits