Author's Chapter Notes:

"She's nervous 'cause Carson's gonna ask if she and JC are really knocking boots," Justin put in with a smirk.

 

When soundcheck ended, JC made his way backstage slowly. With his head down and his eyes trained on the phone in his hand, he didn’t realize Justin was in front of him until he collided with him.

 

“Sorry, dude.” He untangled himself from his friend with a contrite expression.

 

They fell into step together and Justin laughed. “It’s fine. Let me guess: you’re looking for Casey so you can re-attach yourself to her?”

 

JC grinned. “She’s doing an interview. I’m waiting on a call from my travel agent; I’m trying to line something up for the two of us after the tour’s over.” The gleam in Justin’s eye was decidedly lecherous and his smile widened as JC chuckled. “It’s not even like that, man.”

 

Justin snickered. “I didn’t say anything.”

 

“You didn’t need to; it’s all over your face.” The brunette laughed with a shake of his head. “I figure we’ll both need to decompress when all this is over, and Lance gave me a heads up on this place on Maui that’s supposed to be really remote and not touristy.”

 

Justin looked over at his friend with same wicked gleam in his eyes. “Really remote is for the best, I think. I’ve been in a room next to the two of you and, uh…” He stared at JC gravely. “I’ve heard things I may need years of therapy to forget.”

 

“Anyway,” JC continued, ignoring Justin, “I want to surprise her, and she’s never been to Hawaii so…” He shrugged.

 

They continued down the hallway and toward a door being guarded by a member of security. He nodded his greeting to them, and opened the door up for them to step into their private lounge. With Chris, Lance, and Joey having gone to get food, Justin and JC were the only two inside. JC grabbed two bottles of water from the mini-fridge tucked into a corner of the room and tossed one to Justin. Water in hand, they took seats on cushy sofas opposite each other.

 

“So...Casey’s good then ?” Justin asked, looking at JC intently. “I mean, I’m not asking for details or anything, but did she tell you what’s going on?”

 

“She’s been trying to deal with some...stuff on her own and she finally laid it all out for me.” JC stared into space for a moment, measuring his words. “I think--I hope that it all feels a little less...heavy...now.”

 

A dark look crossed Justin’s face. “Stuff about Tony?”

 

“Yeah,” JC replied shortly.

 

“That guy is such an asshole.”

 

“More than you know,” JC muttered. “We’ve been lucky, the five of us. We’re doing all of this together and whether it’s good or bad, we have each other to lean on.” He looked at Justin earnestly. “I didn’t really think about how, for her, it’s been different. I mean, it’s all on her shoulders. One hundred percent.”

 

With a sigh he continued. “I don’t know how I’d handle it if I were out there by myself the way she is. I get it, the way she tries to protect herself. And I think I’m the only one, or at least the closest one, in her life who does. And it’s just really important to me that she trusts that.”

 

“So have you said it yet?” Justin asked quietly.

 

JC’s forehead wrinkled in confusion. “Said what?”

 

The blonde raised one eyebrow. “Dude, you’re in love with her, you’ve been in love with her, and it’s way past time for you to just say it.”

 

JC smiled serenely as he sipped his water.

 

“Unless that’s what Hawaii’s about?” Justin grinned knowingly when JC blushed.

 

JC tucked one arm behind his head and relaxed against the couch cushions. “I want to say it away from all of this. Where it’s just the two of us and no interruptions and no distractions. And by then she’ll have met my family and hopefully she’ll be done freaking out about making our relationship public.” He shrugged again. “Although knowing Casey, maybe not.”

 

Justin laughed for a moment before sobering. “Do you think it’s different with Casey?” When JC glanced at him quizzically he added, “I mean, like I know you’re serious but do you think she’s like...it for you?”

 

JC considered the question for several minutes before replying. “I think so. I mean, I’m not about to buy her a ring or anything, and I don’t think she’s thinking about any of that either, but...I guess when I think about the rest of my life...I see her.” He smiled. “It probably sounds crazy when you think about the fact that we haven’t even been together that long--not in the grand scheme of things.”

 

Justin raised his water bottle as if to toast. “When you know, you just know.”

 

JC grinned and finished his own water.

 

***

 

She heard them before she saw them. The rising sound of several excited voices suddenly filled the space. Casey closed her book just as a blur suddenly rushed at her. She squealed as JC landed on the couch, on top of her. He wrapped her up in a bear hug even as she tried to push him away.

 

“Eww, JC!” she giggled. “You’re soaking wet; get off me!”

 

It was true; he’d come to the bus straight from the stage and he was drenched in sweat. He squeezed her tighter and laughed evilly. “Mmm, I missed you, baby. Couldn’t wait to have you in my arms again.” He howled with laughter and let Casey push him off of her and onto the floor.

 

She made a face at him that was failing at being disgusted and was mostly just amused. “Gross; now I need to take another shower.”

 

He turned onto his back, still laughing to himself. “You’re fine. I showered before the show so technically my sweat is clean.” He grunted when she whacked him in the stomach with a pillow.

 

“Ew,” she repeated emphatically before smiling down at him.

 

“I thought you were watching the show?” He stretched his arms overhead and gazed up at her.

 

“I did. Most of it anyway. Then Dara called so I came back here to take it.”

 

He eyed her for a moment. “Everything OK?”

 

They exchanged a look. She’d avoided talking about Tony or the book on the bus mostly because it was too easy for someone to overhear, but since they were still the only two in the back right then, and she could still hear voices up front, she answered him with no hesitation. “I think something’s up.”

 

JC sat up immediately and his expression became serious. “Like what?”

 

She shrugged and absently twisted her thumb ring. “I don’t know, but Dara was weird on the phone. I asked if she’d heard anything else and she gave me the same spiel she normally does about no news being good news or whatever. But then she said she’d be there on Friday--”

 

“In New York?” JC interrupted.

 

Casey nodded. “She says it’s just to make sure everything goes smoothly with TRL and stuff, but…”

 

“But you think it has something to do with Tony,” he finished quietly.

 

“What else could it be? She’s not going to fly across the country to hold my hand for TRL; it’s gotta have something to do with him. Something she feels like she can only tell me in person.” She blew out a breath and rubbed a hand over her face.

 

JC leaned closer to her and rested his hands on her knees. “It’s gonna be OK.”

 

Her eyes flitted down to his, the ghost of a smile on her lips. “You really believe that, don’t you?” The earnestness in his face and voice flooded her with myriad emotions and she briefly touched his cheek. “Anyway, I guess I’ll find out whatever it is in a couple of days.”

 

“Hey.” He grasped one of her hands between both of us. “It’s gonna be OK, baby. Just...trust that.”

 

“You’re really sweet.” She rested her forehead against his. “And you really, really need to take a shower.”

 

He laughed and she didn’t protest when he kissed her.

 

***

 

Later, when he was showered and tucked into the bunk directly below Casey’s, JC’s own words ran through his head. He’d told her that everything would turn out OK, to trust it. And the simple truth was, he believed it. He had no real reason for it, but everything in his gut told him that things would turn out OK. The alternative was not a possibility. Whatever happened, Casey would come through it unscathed. With the surety of that on his mind, he drifted into a peaceful sleep.

 

***

 

The following afternoon Casey leaned closer to the mirror, frowning. “What the…” She muttered to herself as she fiddled with the back of the earring; there didn’t appear to be anything wrong with it but she couldn’t get it to stay closed. She’d just about decided to throw the damn thing across the room when her phone rang. Forgetting about the piece of jewelry for a moment, she grabbed her phone and inhaled slowly when she saw her manager’s name flash across the screen.

 

“Dara, hi.”

 

“Hi, Casey. I had every intention of meeting with you before your TRL appearance, but unfortunately I’ve gotten tied up. I’ll meet you back at the hotel after the show’s over and we can discuss everything then.”

 

Casey groaned in frustration. “It’s about Tony, isn’t it?” When Dara didn’t immediately respond she continued swiftly. “Can’t you just tell me whatever it is now? I’m freaking out and--”

 

“Casey,” Dara’s voice was calm and firm. “Everything is OK; trust me on that. I’m not trying to make this any worse for you than it’s already been, but part of what I want to talk to you about has to do with why I haven’t been able to meet you this morning. After the show’s over, I promise I’ll be waiting for you at the hotel, and I’ll tell you everything then. OK?”

 

Casey sighed and sat down on the bed heavily. “Yeah, sure. Whatever.” After saying exchanging goodbyes with Dara, she disconnected the call and stared down at her phone for several seconds. The one good thing about her TRL appearance being on the horizon was that she was so nervous about what might happen live on-air that she knew she’d easily be able to push the impending conversation with Dara to the corner of her mind. After all, she could only obsess about so many things at once.

 

She tossed her phone to the bed and stood up to finish getting ready.

 

***

 

“Holy shit!” Casey exclaimed, eyes wide. “Is it always this loud?”

 

By the time she had made it to the MTV’s Times Square studio, *NSYNC was already there and waiting. Immediately upon arrival a production assistant escorted her, along with Bruce, backstage.

 

They were all in the green room; a closed circuit TV showed them the action happening on the main set, but even without the television speakers, the sound of screaming girls could be heard clearly.

 

“This,” Chris began, taking a swig from his water bottle. “is nothing. Wait until we actually get out there.”

 

She shook her head in disbelief. “I don’t think it’s this loud at a concert.” That was probably not completely accurate, but the acoustics in an arena were far different than in the relatively small studio space of Total Request Live. And she was considering asking for earplugs before walking out of in front of the studio audience.

 

She collapsed into one of the overstuffed red couches and Lance sank into the cushion next to her. He nudged her shoulder with his. "You look like you're about ten seconds from peeing your pants," he quipped with a straight face.

 

"She's nervous 'cause Carson's gonna ask if she and JC are really knocking boots," Justin put in with a smirk.

 

She glared at him while JC smiled from a chair opposite her. "It won't be that bad," he said mildly with a nonchalant wave of his hand.

 

She wasn’t surprised to see that he looked the way he usually did--completely relaxed. “If you say so,” she mumbled. She leaned in closer to Lance. “Do I really look like I’m gonna pee on myself?”

 

“You look a little terrified.” Lance grinned. “Carson’s great, though; it’ll be fun.”

 

“He’s just gonna ask if it’s true that we’re dating,” JC explained. “Johnny and Dara vetted the questions already so it’ll be simple.”

 

Casey frowned at him. “Simple, maybe. But not easy.”

 

“Hey, guys.” Another p.a. stood in the doorway, headset over her ears. “We’re going to bring you out in sixty seconds.”

 

“Come on, shorty,” Justin said, grabbing Casey’s hand and pulling her up from the couch. “It’ll be fine.”

 

Chris was right; the sound, walking from the green room to the main set, increased by what seemed to be about a hundred decibels. It was a veritable cacophony of screams from the studio audience of mainly female *NSYNC fans. With one hand Casey gripped the mic she’d been handed, and with her other, keeping her eyes on Joey's back, shook a few hands as they passed the audience.

 

Casey offered a quick hello and handshake to Carson Daly, but whatever words he said in response were lost in the din of the audience. Figuring they would have a proper introduction later, she followed the rest of the guys over to the floor to ceiling windows that covered the back walls of the set.

 

"Relax. It's gonna be fine," JC's voice whispered in her ear from behind her.

 

He had ostensibly come to wave to the fans outside but he timed it perfectly to be able to lean closer to her and give her a much needed word of encouragement. She caught his eye when she turned around and smiled. They all went over to Carson and, after shaking his hand, assembled themselves in a small group. Three stools had been set out for them and Casey hopped onto the middle one as Justin and Chris sat on either side of her. Lance stood behind Chris, JC stood directly behind her, and Joey took the spot behind Justin.

 

Yet another production assistant counted down the end of a commercial break, and then Carson was addressing the camera directly in front of him. "So we're back with *NSYNC and their opening act, Casey Whitaker.” He smiled into the camera. "And this tour is pretty much the hottest thing happening right now.”

 

As screams rose up from the audience, Casey caught the production assistant holding up a card that instructed everyone to cheer; she was relatively sure they needed no additional encouragement. She and the guys all waved to the audience.

 

"So the five of you are here all the time--" Carson began.

 

"We practically live here," Chris interjected.

 

"Yeah, it seems that way sometimes," Carson agreed. "But, Casey, this is your first time on TRL, so welcome!"

 

She nodded with a grin. "Thank you! I have to tell you, it’s a lot louder than I expected." Cheers went up at her comment and she laughed.

 

"She's a TRL virgin," Joey quipped, leaning closer to her chair.

 

She rolled her eyes good-naturedly as Chris said, "Technically she was a TRL virgin. She's out in front of the camera so she's not really one anymore."

 

The audience laughed and Carson continued. “So like I said, you have one of the most successful tours right now. Just about every date is sold out or close to, right?"

 

Justin nodded and smiled graciously. "We have the best fans in the world," he offered with a perfect popstar grin. On cue, the audience erupted in claps and cheers. "See," he said pointing to them.

 

"Yeah," Lance began in his deep southern drawl. "Our fans are amazing and they've made this tour the success it is."

 

Carson said something to Casey that she couldn’t hear over the audience members who were yelling out random things, mostly addressed to Justin. "What was that, Carson? I didn't catch it."

 

He laughed. "I was just asking what it's like traveling with these guys all the time? I already know that's the question every girl--probably a few guys--in the audience wants answered."

 

Fresh screams arose and Casey snickered. “The way they are when you see them here is how they are all the time.”

 

“She loves us,” Justin put in, wrapping an arm around her. “We’re one big happy family.”

 

“Yeah, it’s kind of like being on the road with lots of brothers,” she joked.

 

“Well, they’re not all like your brothers, right?” Carson asked with a smirk.

 

She immediately blushed, realizing she’d walked right into the question.

 

Before she could respond Justin cleared his throat. “I think,” he began speaking into his microphone dramatically, one arm still around Casey’s shoulders, “I think it’s safe to say that she doesn’t think of all of us as brothers.”

 

The same p.a. held up another cue card inciting the audience to wild and raucous cheers. Not that they needed any motivation; the screams had barely died down in the first place.

 

“So that’s actually the perfect segue into rumors,  because I’ve heard some rumors…” Carson said slowly.

 

Although she’d known it was coming it, she wasn’t ready. Her stomach rolled and the hand that wasn’t firmly clutching the mic was repeatedly rubbing up and down her pant leg. She bit her lip and waited for the inevitable question, the one she couldn’t avoid, to come.

 

“Rumors are funny, Carson,” Chris said. “Because sometimes they’re just made up, but other times...other times they’re based on facts.” He turned to look back at JC. “Isn’t that right, JC?”

 

Though she didn’t turn to look at him, Casey could hear JC’s laughter directly behind her. “Man, I have no idea what you’re talking about,” he said.

 

Carson looked at JC pointedly. “You sure about that, JC? Because I’m pretty sure these rumors I’ve heard involve you.” The audience collectively oohed and JC just continued to smile. “In fact, rumor has it that you and Casey definitely don’t have a brother and sister type relationship,” he continued with a straight face.

 

She swallowed hard before licking her lips several times. She chanced a quick look behind her; JC was rubbing the back of his neck as he often did while trying to figure out what to say next, but his eyes were bright and his grin was wide. He didn’t look uncomfortable or the slightest bit nervous; he was having fun. Just like that, all of the tension she’d been carrying suddenly dissolved.

 

He was there, and he wasn’t going anywhere. After all of her drama--everything regarding Tony and her own ambivalence about their relationship--he was sitting behind her. He was completely ready to tell a studio audience--not to mention the larger international audience tuning in via cable and satellite--that they were together. And in light of that, she realized that nothing else mattered.

 

She grinned up at Carson as Justin nudged her gently. “I think Carson’s asking a question, shorty. You gonna answer it?”

 

“Oh, was that a question?” She looked up to meet Carson’s expectant gaze. “‘Cause it totally didn’t sound like a question.” Her eyes danced mirthfully and she fought to keep in the laughter she felt bubbling up.

 

“Didn’t sound like a question to me either,” JC agreed.

 

“Oh, OK,” Carson said with a smile. “I’ll ask straight out then. Casey, JC...are the rumors about you guys true? Are you dating?”

 

“Can I answer that question?” Chris asked, looking between Casey and JC. “Because I know the answer to that question.”

 

“Uh…” Casey swivelled around to look at JC; she grinned and he winked at her. She looked back at Carson and shrugged. “Well, you know; stuff happens on tour.”

 

“Um...yeah.” JC’s head bobbed in agreement. “Yep.”

 

Most of the audience cheered enthusiastically and Casey considered that they were at a place of hysteria where they likely would have happily screamed for anything at that point.

 

“So just to be clear, you’re both saying yes, you are together?” Carson looked between her and JC.

 

She nodded and glanced back at JC again. “Yes. He’s a pretty amazing guy.” The audience ‘awwwed’ and Chris pretended to gag.

 

“So was it really a secret?” Carson asked.

 

Casey and JC exchanged a look and they both shrugged. “No, not really,” she said slowly.

 

“No,” JC continued. “I mean, obviously these guys knew and stuff. We just…” He trailed off and looked down at Casey.

 

“We just wanted the focus to stay on the music and the tour, you know?” She shrugged.

 

“That part’s hard no matter who you date,” Lance added. “We appreciate that our fans care so much about us, but it’s important to keep at least a little bit private.”

 

Casey gave Lance a grateful smile, appreciating how smoothly he stepped in to deflect some of the attention away from them. She looked over her shoulder at JC again, and grinned when he mouthed, “told ya so,” before gently squeezing her shoulder. For a moment she let the considerable noise of the studio audience wash over and she was perfectly at peace. Even the impending conversation with Dara seemed less ominous.

 

Casey realized that the conversation had taken a turn as Carson was introducing the next song on the countdown. JC was right: it had been simple and easy. And now it was over.

 

And so far, everything was fine.

 

***

 

“She literally couldn’t stop sobbing.” Casey giggled from her spot between JC and Joey. “I mean she was hysterical! I’ve never seen anything like that before.”

 

Joey snickered. “That wasn’t even that bad; she was still able to talk at least. The worst is when they’re standing there bawling and just staring at you, but they won’t talk. It’s so awkward.”

 

They’d signed a few autographs outside the studio when the show was over and one teenage girl in particular was completely overwhelmed being in the presence of *NSYNC. She broke down crying, and asked for their signatures with tears streaming down her face. Casey managed to hold back her own hysterics--in the form of laughter instead of tears-- until she got into the SUV that was taking them back to their hotel.

 

She was about to say something else about the amusing exchange when she felt her phone vibrate in her bag. After digging it out she flipped it open and then looked up at JC. “It’s Dara. She’s waiting at the hotel.”

 

The smile he’d been wearing slipped from his face and he regarded her seriously. “I’ll come with you, if you want.”

 

Joey looked curiously between the two. “Everything OK?”

 

Casey tapped something into her phone before looking up. “I have it on good authority that everything’s going to be just fine.” Although she answered Joey, her eyes were on JC. “I told Dara you’re coming with me.”

 

He gripped her hand on the seat between them and nodded. “Good.”

 

***

 

JC and Casey stood outside of room 341, face to face.

 

“She told you not to worry, right?” he asked.

 

“Yeah,” she breathed out with sigh. She was trying, but her nerves were winning out. Her heart raced and a cold sweat broke out on her brow.

 

“Then listen to her, Casey.” JC cradled her face in his hands and placed a gentle kiss on her forehead. “Let’s go find out what she has to say.”

 

She leaned into him for a moment and imagined she could physically draw strength from him. With another deep breath she turned around and knocked on the door. It swung open instantly, as if Dara were waiting for them.

 

“JC, Casey. Come in.” She ushered them into the room and toward the loveseat. “I was able to catch the end of the show,” she said as she sat down in an armchair next to them. “It looked like everything went smoothly.”

 

Casey nodded. “Today was fine, but we’ll see what happens at the show tomorrow night.”

 

JC cocked his head at her. “What do you mean?”

 

“Well, now that it’s out about us there’s a distinct possibility your fans are going to come ready to throw rocks at me.” She shrugged.

 

He rolled his eyes as Dara chuckled. “I’m sure you’ll survive.” She sobered, clearing her throat. “So I know you’re wondering why I wanted to talk to you face to face and I’m going to cut to the chase because at this point, things have been dragged out long enough.”

 

Without thinking about it, Casey reached out and grabbed JC’s hand and held it in her lap.

 

“Two weeks ago Tony was arrested in Michigan. Among other things, he was charged with transporting a minor across state lines. He was with a sixteen year old girl.”

 

Casey blinked rapidly, her mouth falling open and JC squeezed her hand.

 

Dara continued. “The girl is the daughter of a police officer from a town south of Chicago. Her dad found emails and instant messenger exchanges between the two of them, which is how police were able to track them down.

 

“Since then, three other young women have come forward claiming to have been...ah…physically involved with him in the last year. Two of the girls are under eighteen and the third only recently turned eighteen.” She paused, looked between JC and Casey, and began speaking again. “Bottom line is--”

 

“He’s in deep shit,” JC said in awe.

 

Dara laughed curtly. “Yeah. Yeah, that about sums it up. I wanted to wait to tell you until I was absolutely sure that the charges were going to stick--which is why I’m in the city. I met with Jeff and he’s positive they will. Apparently there’s a lot of evidence against him, including pictures and possibly some video recordings.”

 

Casey shuddered and JC wrapped his arm around her.

 

“The book isn’t going to happen, Casey; I can guarantee you that. Tony is going to be in prison for a long time. The charges against him...well, let’s just say that what I’ve told you is only the tip of the iceberg.”

 

“That’s good news for me,” Casey said somberly, ”but not for those poor girls.”

 

Dara made a small sound of agreement. “I’m sure they’ll have all of the support they need to get through it, and in the meantime Tony won’t be able to hurt anyone else.”

 

JC cleared his throat. “So, um, does that mean...none of this is gonna touch Casey, right?”

 

“Well, the authorities are just at the beginning of what’s likely to be a lengthy and thorough investigation. Who knows if more girls will come forward, or what else they’ll find.” Dara exhaled. “It’s way too early to tell, but Jeff says there’s always a possibility you could be subpoenaed as a witness.”

 

Casey’s brow furrowed and she frowned. “Witness to what? I was 18 when we started dating.”

 

Dara nodded. “I know, but you can testify to his character. And even though you were technically of age when you began a relationship with you, you were young enough that it still speaks to a pattern he has.”

 

“Do I have a choice?”

 

“Like I said, Casey, it’s too early in the investigation to know how exactly how things will proceed. It’s going to be at least several months before this goes to trial. But in the event that you’re called to testify...the prosecution can compel you to do so, whether you want to or not.”

 

JC looked down at Casey. “I know you don’t want to, but what if it helps those girls? And won’t putting him away for as long as possible be worth it, too?”

 

Casey’s shoulders slumped and she let her head fall against him. “When you put it that way...” she mumbled.

 

“Like you said, this is good news for you, Casey. Try to look at it that way.” Dara clasped her hands together. “It’s over.”

 

With a sigh, Casey nodded. “I guess it is.”

 

***

 

“You sure you’re OK?”

 

Casey smiled at the intent way JC was gazing at her. After leaving Dara’s they’d gone straight back to the hotel where spent the next several hours rehashing everything they’d been told over room service. He’d asked her the same question several times over the course of the evening.

 

“I’m fine,” she said with a laugh. “Go shower.”

 

He stared at her for another moment before retreating to the bathroom, and as soon as he was out of eyesight she fell back on the bed.

 

She wasn’t lying; she really was fine in every way that counted. But her mind was reeling with the information that Dara had given her. That Tony’s vaguely abusive tendencies had morphed into full on criminal abuse. She wondered if she would really have to testify against him, and if so what kinds of questions she’d have to answer. She also wondered, and Dara had mentioned the possibility, if the story would turn into a publicity scandal when her connection to Tony inevitably came out. For the first time in months, although she certainly wasn’t looking forward to answering questions about her relationship with her ex, she wasn’t afraid.

 

Mostly she was disgusted with him, and disgusted that she’d spent so much time with him. And she certainly felt sorry for the girls he’d victimized. But as soon as the truth about him came out, he’d lose any credibility he may have had to speak about her. He no longer held any power to hurt her,

 

By the time JC emerged from the bathroom Casey was already asleep, and for the first time in weeks her sleep was completely peaceful.

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: missionary oral girlontop love tour abusiveex hotel boyfriendjc tourjc jc tabloids friendswithbenefits