Story Notes:
It has been a while since I’ve been active on this site and I’m really happy with all the new updates that have been made. Here’s this little one shot I wrote to get myself back into the groove of things.
“That you again, Kirkpatrick?”

Chris whipped his head around as soon as he heard the disgruntled tone in McGuire’s voice. He was the owner of the vintage pop culture store that Chris loved to frequent on his free time.

He closed the comic he was reading as fast as he could and tried to put it back in its place on the stand but it was too late. McGuire had already turned the corner and started walking down the aisle Chris was in and crossed his arms when he came face to face with him.

McGuire eyed the comic on the stand and studied the visible crumpled corners and edges that had resulted from Chris rushing to put it back in its place. “You know, I’d say you’re my most valued customer but you never pay for anything that you read.”

Chris shrugged, “Can’t help it. You’ve always got the best editions of Ultraman in stock, Mick.”

McGuire took the comic and handed it over to Chris, “I’d kick you out for loitering but you’ve got a charming sense of kiss-assery that makes the day interesting. Just take the damned thing.”

“You know I can’t just take this. I don’t have the money for it.” Chris said disappointedly.

As much as he wanted it, he felt bad for taking things for free if he hadn’t earned it. With the situation his family was in, it felt like everything they had was given to him out of pity. He placed the comic back on the stand and started to walk around the store with McGuire walking next to him.

“The offer still stands, kid. It’d be nice to actually have you working for me.”

Chris pursed his lips and let out a sigh, “Yeah, I guess. But I like this place too much. I don’t want to end up hating it.”

“Hating it?”

“Seems like people end up hating where they work. I don’t want that happening to me. It’ll ruin everything. Plus, I’ve got my pizza delivery job and the random gigs I get at the bars.”

McGuire smirked, “What you doing at the bar?”

“Singing.” Chris said happily, “Just something I like to do when things get too crazy.”

“Hm, didn’t know you could sing. You any good?”

“Maybe. I’d hope so. Why else would they keep giving me a spot?” Chris joked. “I’ve actually thought about finding other places to sing.”

“You should.”

A voice came up from behind them that caused both of them to turn around to see who had been listening in on their conversation. Chris cocked his head as his eyes settled on a woman he hadn’t seen before. She had dark hair that matched her chocolate eyes.

“You’re late, Haley.” McGuire said as he shook his head. “Chris, this is my new associate. It’s her second day today.”

“You’re late on your second day?” Chris asked.

“At least it’s not the first, right?” She laughed. Her laugh was melodic and made Chris feel things he hadn’t felt since high school. “But yeah, I’ve seen you perform before. You’re pretty good. You’ve got the whole Bee Gees vibe going on.”

McGuire shot a look at Chris, “Bee Gees? You an old soul, Kirkpatrick?”

“Not what I was going for but sure. I wouldn’t dare to compare myself but I guess that’s a compliment?”

Haley nudged McGuire with her elbow and insisted that he go see Chris perform one day. “It’ll be worth it. Actually...” she paused as she pointed a finger at Chris, “... ever thought about singing with other people? My cousin sings too. His name’s Lance. He has a buddy that’s also pretty good, too. Kind of a tool, but if you’re after his voice, then that’s no problem. His name is Joey.”

Chris stared at her with his mouth open. Everything seemed to happen too quickly for him to comprehend. Within two minutes he’d spent talking to this girl he’d come to the conclusion that he was both attracted to her but also a little afraid. He sort of thought she was a little nuts. He cleared his throat and forced out a response, “Haven’t thought of it but that might be cool. I’d have to meet them first, though.”

“Done. Come back tomorrow, I’ll hook you up.” She said as she waved at them on her way to the clock-in monitor.

Chris stared continued to stare at her with his brow raised, “Hey, Mick?”

“Yes?”

“So about that offer... when do I start?”

Completed
charleeene is the author of 6 other stories.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: chris