Jacob Scott Matthews! You did not do what I think you did. Did you?” Kristen came storming into his room.

 

“What did I do this time?”

 

“You know what you did. I got an email from J.C.!”

 

“Oh, that. Yeah, I gave it to him. You’re mad? I thought you’d be happy.”

 

“You know what my email is.”

 

“I told him you’d be mad about that. I also told YOU not to use that as your email.”

 

“Yeah? How’d you like it if I sent Justin pictures of your room?”

 

“You wouldn’t. He’d never get them.”

 

“Wouldn’t I? I never thought J.C. would get my email. Speaking of which, why don’t you check yours?” she teased.

 

As Kristen was taking pictures of his room, Jake opened his email only to see one from Justin!

 

Dear Jake,

 

 I hear you’re a big fan of ours. So much so that you came out to support us in Orlando for the trial. It was touch and go for a second, but when the verdict came down in our favor, and we walked out and saw all our fans, it meant the world to us. Always has and always will. We’ll never be able to repay you enough.

 

Justin

 

P.S. Lance did give us our signs. Here’s the picture my mom took to prove it. (Don’t worry. Kristen has one, too, so you don’t have to share)

 

Jake tried to open the attachment, but dial up always takes forever.

 

“Here, I printed you out a copy, too.”

 

“Thanks.”

 

“How does it feel to talk to your crush?”

 

“You tell me. You got yours first.”

 

“I never would have gotten it at all if you hadn’t sent that first one to J.C.”

 

“I can’t believe Lance actually gave them the signs. Can you imagine the grief they probably got?”

 

“Which reminds me, we should probably get our pictures with him developed.”

 

“Yeah. We probably should.”

 

J.C. threw himself into work with a renewed vigor. Songs came out of him that he didn’t even realize were there. Heartache, love, family, identity; no topic was off limits.

 

As much as the guys loved his new enthusiasm, he was driving them crazy. He’d always had a crazy work ethic, but when it was coupled with his perfectionist personality he was unstoppable. That meant he wouldn’t let them stop. They were trying to be supportive because of everything going on with his family, but this was ridiculous.

 

“J.C., come on, we need a break.”

 

“We already had a break. Just give me a few more takes.”

 

“Tell you what. Why don’t we make a compromise?” suggested Justin. “We’ll do more takes if YOU take a break.”

 

Chris, Joey, and Lance gave him a look that could kill; J.C. gave him one of gratitude.

 

“Okay, thanks.”

 

“Yeah, thanks,” the others answered sarcastically.

 

 

 J.C. was trying to sleep, but nothing was working. His dream had returned except this time he was his current age, 24. The mirror was still there and he was still staring at his reflection, but he could see subtle differences in the faces thanks to the pictures he’d been given by his parents.

 

Suddenly, a thought crossed his mind. When they were outside the courthouse giving autographs he’d come across a fan who didn’t believe him when he told her he was J.C. because she’d already gotten an autograph from him.  The signature wasn’t exactly his, but close enough where he could understand why she didn’t believe him. Was there someone out there impersonating him? If so, who? And why?

 

Did his twin know about him and was already trying to take advantage of his fame? He hoped that wasn’t the case, but if he’d learned anything in the past year, it was that you never knew who you could trust. That scenario was entirely possible, unfortunately.

 

Instead of continuing his nap or the songs he’d begun, JC gathered all of the information he’d been given by his parents and started looking through it some more.

 

 

The pictures were what fascinated him the most. Not only did it give credence to his dreams, but he finally felt a connection, at least physically, to others that he didn’t in his own family. He never realized a void was there until now.

 

As he looked on the back of the picture of his biological mother holding him and his brother, he saw something he hadn’t before; their names, Joshua and Jacob Scott. He wondered if his brother still went by that name or if his parents had changed it to something else. He hoped not. That would give them something else in common, their initials, or at the very least, their middle name.

 

Then he saw what looked like an envelope with his name inscribed on it.

 

He opened it and began to read:

 

Dear Joshua,

I know you’re probably wondering where I’ve gone and why I’ve left you with Ms. Karen and Mr. Roy. The truth is, I can’t take care of you anymore. It’s not fair to keep moving you from place to place, taking you away from friends you’ve made each time we do. It breaks my heart to see you cry every time we leave. I want what’s best for you and so do they. You light up every time you see them, Heather, and Tyler. I couldn’t ask for anything more. I love you more than you’ll ever know.

 

Mommy

 

J.C. chocked back tears. She’d been right in her assessment and decision to give him away. How would she feel about him looking for and finding her? It was an open adoption, though. She had to suspect this might happen sooner or later.  

 

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story