Jake took the picture Kristen had printed out of J.C. and Justin and looked at himself in the mirror. He kept getting mistaken for J.C. in public but he still didn’t see the resemblance. He went back online to see if he could find out more on J.C.’s background other than what he already knew, but found nothing. It probably would have been easier to do this when Kristen was over, but oh well, he’ll ask her later.

 

For now, he focused on what he did know. Both he and J.C. had the same birthdate and hometown, but that was it. As far as he knew J.C. wasn’t adopted and if he was, he never talked about it.

 

What he really needed to do was start his search for his birth family. The problem was the only information he has was in his baby book. His parents had to have it somewhere. It would be so much easier if he could go to them and ask, but they made it clear they didn’t want him to know.

 

Maybe his medical records could help? He could get the ones from the hospital he was treated at, but would he be able to get the ones from the hospital he was born at? From what his parents told him it was a closed adoption so even if he went to the adoption agency he might not be able to find out much, if anything at all.

 

As he sat in his doctor’s waiting room, his nerves started creeping in. He couldn’t even bring it up with his parents and best friend. How was he going to approach the subject with his doctor? He reminded himself that he needed someone objective to talk and listen to him.

 

That’s when he heard his name. “Jake? Dr. Hamilton will see you now.”

 

“Jake? What brings you here?” his doctor asked as he was ushered inside the office.

 

“Well, I’m beginning to look for my birth family but don’t really have much to go on. I was hoping my medical records could help? I don’t need my parents’ permission to get copies of them do I?”

 

“No. As an adult, you can ask for them on your own. They’re usually held for up to seven years. You may be able to get copies earlier than that because of your treatment. Is there anything else?”

 

“No. Thank you.”

 

“If something else does come up, don’t hesitate to reach out again.”

 

“Ok. Thanks again.”

 

 

“You’re welcome.”



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story