“Dude, we’re so gonna get busted!” Trace said. The large smile on his face betrayed the warning that came out of his mouth. He grabbed onto the post of the golf cart and held on tight.

Justin pressed his foot harder against the gas pedal, face flushed with excitement, eyes sparkling as he grinned ear to fear and they flew over the lush green lawns of Laurel Lake High School. “Well, they shouldn’t have left the keys!” he replied, jerking the steering wheel to avoid a sprinkler head.

“Watch it, man!”

“Oh, relax! No one will even notice it’s gone.”

Trace shook his head and Justin zoomed faster. It may be eternally sunny in Florida but the dread of returning from winter break weighed heavy over the rest of the school. They had all filed in like zombies, blinking under the bright fluorescents and wrinkling their noses at that distinct school smell: erasers, rubber shoe soles, and stale breath. It was enough to take Justin’s normal morning moodiness up a notch.

Well, that and returning from break a few days ago and basketball season officially being over. He pressed his lips together. He’d just come off from the best season the school had ever seen. Getting to and winning the conference finals? Check. Getting to and winning the state finals? Double check. It’d been the first time in years Laurel Lake High had made it to the finals let alone state and Justin did that. Plus, he was made captain two weeks in. Captain. As a sophomore! For the varsity team. He didn’t miss the sneers and glares from his older teammates, but he soon won them over with his skills on and off the court.

And now all of that was gone. If it weren’t for the trophy and the plaque in his room detailing the events of the basketball season, it would have all been a dream to him. What was he supposed to do? Really, it was the school’s fault for being so negligent with their golf carts. Or else, that what he’d tell people if he got caught.

“Sport signups are at the end of the week,” Trace said.

Justin glanced at him out the corner of his eye. “So?”

“So, what’re you gonna sign up for?”

“Nothing. What’s the point?” Trace scoffed, running a hand through his hair. “Really, man, we have, what, ten weeks left of school? That’s prime party time.”

“Like you’d be invited to any good parties. Only juniors and seniors go to those.”

“Hey, I was captain of the basketball team remember? That should give me enough cred to get in.”

Trace eyed him. “And cred with the girls?”

Justin cracked a sly smile. “Well, that’s just a happy coincidence. I can’t help that.”

“Yeah, sure you can’t.” Lifting his leg onto the seat, Trace pulled at a loose thread in the knee of his ripped jeans. “So, I’m guessing you’d be taking that Britney girl with you if you go?”

“Maybe,” Justin said with a dismissive shake of his head. “But don’t worry, man. She has a friend, Christina, who I think you could get along with.”

Trace’s nose wrinkled. “That loud girl? The one singing all the time?” Justin nodded. “Hmm. I could get behind that, I guess. She’s actually pretty cute.”

“Just you wait, man. This time next year, we’ll be ruling the school.”

“Man, whatever you say.”

Wind tugged at their clothes and mixed with the hum of the golf cart’s engine as Justin drove around aimlessly. They blew by a few groundworkers and, instead of slowing down, he lifted his hand in a friendly wave and blew by them.

The engine slowly died as Justin eased on the brakes and they pulled up at the tree line on campus, behind the school. Somewhere inside were the trails that the cross country and track teams practiced on and embedded within were creeks and streams. There were rumors that some bears lived in the woods and the school even had some secret bear brigade to chase them off like some weird Lord of the Flies cult.

Justin sat back, a sly smile forming on his face. “Hey, d’you think if we cut by the tennis courts, we can take this time to McDonald’s?”

“We’d never make it back in time. Besides, they wouldn’t take us in the drive thru?”

“Why not? We’re in a car.” Justin waved his hands around, gesturing to the vehicle. “We have wheels. We have an engine. They can’t turn us away.”

A slow grin appeared on Trace’s face. “Dude, this is crazy.”

“We’re not gonna get in trouble! I’m the captain of the basketball team. The winning basketball team. What are they going to do? Give me detention?” Justin scoffed at the idea. He stared up the cart again, pressing his foot on the gas to rev the small engine. “Tick tock, tick tock…”

“Okay, okay!” Trace threw his arms into the air in a what the heck? gesture. “Let’s go. I want a Shamrock Shake.”

“Atta boy!”

Charging onto the path that carved behind campus, Justin sped them off the school campus and onto the public roads. The two boys hooted and hollered, laughing when other cars on the road honked at them. The drive thru worker looked at them with wide eyes and a slack jaw, egging on their laughs and merriment. Trace held onto their prize for dear life as Justin drove them back, taking in the beauty of their sun-soaked surroundings.

It clashed horribly with the stern, grotesque twist to their principal’s face when they arrived back on campus a few short moments later.

“You better have a good explanation for this, boys,” Principal Sanders said, arms crossed, foot tapping on the pavement.

“…Driving practice,” Justin blurted out.

“Do you have your permits?” Trace and Justin exchanged a glance. “Barr that, did you have permission to commandeer a school vehicle?”

“Uhhh…"

Principal Sanders heaved a sigh. “You boys, come with me. You’re in big trouble here. Mr. Timberlake, I’m very disappointed in you. I thought you’d set a better example, but I guess I was wrong.”

Hanging his head, Justin mumbled, “Yes sir.”

“Principal Sanders, hold on.” Lifting his head, Justin looked past Principal Sanders to the older boy that came out the door behind him. A golf bag slung over his shoulder, “I gave them permission to use the golf cart.”

“Did you?” Principal Sander’s mustached mouth twitched as the boy nodded. “Though I’m sure you didn’t intend for them to leave campus for lunch.”

“I…did,” the boy replied after a moment’s hesitation. He then smiled and Justin lifted an eyebrow at the ease of which the charming smile came to his face. “You see, he’s a potential new recruit for the golf team. And, you know, we gotta haze ‘em a little bit. Let ‘em know where there stand, you know? See if they can hang.”

“Yes, well…in the future, Mr. Chasez, I’d appreciate it if you let the office know of such decisions. We can’t have school property leaving school property without the right channels being utilized to pass along communication.”

“Yes sir. I’ll be sure to go about it the right way in the future.”

Principal Sanders gave a long look to Justin and Trace before turning on his heel and walking stiffly back into the building. The boys waited for the doors to close before they spoke again.

“Hey, thanks man! We appreciate it,” Trace said following a relieved sigh.

“No problem.” ‘Mr. Chasez’ shrugged. “I get it, it’s hard to resist the pull of taking one of these things on a joy ride.” He eyed the bag in Trace’s hand. “You went to McDonald’s? Kids stuff. You can take that thing all the way up to the mall on a good tank.”

“Thanks for the heads up.” Justin jerked his thumb to Trace. “That’s my buddy Trace and I’m—”

“Justin, I know,” ‘Mr. Chasez’ said. “I’m Josh. Some people call me JC.”

Justin nodded. “You know me?”

“Dude, you singlehandedly carried the basketball team to the finals. Yeah, I know you."

“Oh, okay. Well…thanks again for covering.”

“Like I said, it's no problem. Because I helped you, I think you could help me.” Josh chuckled at the confused expression appearing on Justin’s face. “I’m captain of the golf team. I’ve seen some of your hits before. You come out here sometimes to hit some tees?” Josh motioned to the grass surrounding the campus. “You make some good shots. Have you thought of trying out?”

“Nah, man, I just play for fun.” Justin laughed, as if the idea was ridiculous. Because it was ridiculous. He wasn’t a golfer, not really. He just played to clear his head, get himself in a quiet space where all he needed to do was concentrate on his form and where he hit the ball. It wasn’t as if he dreamed of being on the PGA tour.

“Well, if you ever want to carry that fun into getting the school another trophy, let me know.” Josh turned his eye back to Trace and, before he could blink, took the Shamrock Shake out of his hands. He laughed at Trace’s protest. “Just think of it as collateral, sophomores.” He hiked his bag higher on his shoulder and walked past then. “Oh, by the way. Some friends are having a party this weekend. Blowing off some steam from coming back. You should come around."

“Cool, thanks. We’ll think about it,” Justin replied. He shoved Trace’s shoulder and the two headed back inside.

“A junior party? What’s there to think about?” Trace’s question was nearly downed out by the random chatter in the hallways of other students messing around and eating between classes."

“Nothing, we’re definitely going,” Justin said. He hummed and shoved his hands into his pockets. “Maybe I should join the golf team. Show them a thing or two. Get them a trophy.”

“Roll up to junior parties,” Trace supplied.

Justin grinned. “That’s just a happy coincidence. I can’t help that.”

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Man, I just love writing the boys in a high school atmosphere. Between this AU and my Principal Chasez AU, it's been so fun getting back into writing for this fandom. I missed it so much. I hope you all enjoyed this! It was inspire by a pic that Joshtinproof on Instagram posted. I think I gave JC a kind of MMC Wipeout vibe but that's what I get for binge watching Emerald Cove lately. Please let me know what you think!


Completed
Mack_Attack22 is the author of 55 other stories.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: school justinandtrace highschool alternateuniverse high