Story Notes:

Follows the lyrics to the song. Each chapter is a different day.

 

JC Chasez pulled the ball cap down further on his head as he walked with the crowd migrating down 5th Avenue in New York City. Traffic zoomed by heading south toward the Empire State Building. He was heading toward Central Park.

 

The June sun was high in the sky. The temperature well into the 90s. A trickle of sweat rolled down his spine pooling at the waistband of the dark wash jeans he wore. His hair, which he wore longer now, curled against this neck in the heat. Simple white ASICS on his feet.

 

The hotel where he was staying wasn't far away. He was certain when Lonnie or Mike found out he gave the slip, there would be hell to pay. Maybe not hell but at least a stern lecture. One he'd heard many times before. One they've all heard many times. It didn't happen often, but sometimes they wanted to get out and pretend to be normal. Walk down the street without a linebacker trailing with them providing protection from screaming girls.

 

It was why JC picked Central Park. The park wouldn't be as packed as 5th Avenue or Times Square. He loved the city, he really did. He just wanted a breather. Tonight was their second show of a 3-day stop playing Giants stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey.  It was the seventh show of their PopOdyssey tour. This tour was only half the size of No Strings Attached. Still a crazy production, but not as many shows.

 

Central Park loomed in front of him as he waited for the walk sign at the intersection of 58th St. The Pulitzer Fountain would have been a nice site to see but there were too many tourists. JC couldn't take the chance. The light changed and the group of people began moving. It was move or be moved. Something JC was used to in the last few years. Once he got into the Park, he wanted to walk a path at his own pace.

 

Passed the intersection JC cut through the throngs of people. Tourists taking photos with the fountain in the background. Tourists looking at maps trying to figure out where they were or where they were heading. The sidewalk became congested again and he fought to hide his irritation. He just wanted ten minutes alone. The zoo entrance was crazy with people walking in multiple directions. People standing in the middle of the sidewalk deciding whether to walk the zoo or wait.

 

He walked around one of those people at the exact moment they made a decision. They pushed their stroller forward and he jumped out of the way before he could get run over. That caused him to bump into other people. He fought to keep his footing. A curse slipped from his mouth when he realized he was going down. A cry too soft - too feminine - to be from him reached his ears as his behind hit the pavement hard enough to snap his teeth together. In the melee a hand slap his hat pushing it up his head and sent his sunglasses to the ground.

 

The people pushing the stroller kept on walking and JC bit back a snide remark.

 

"People can be so rude."

 

The voice came from his left and he lifted his head and his breath caught. A woman sat on the sidewalk facing him. It was in the back of his mind that she was the owner of the cry he heard on the way down. He wanted to ask her if she was okay. He couldn't form the words. Her blue eyes pierced his. The red hue on her cheeks JC wasn't sure equated to the temperature, the fall, embarrassment or even recognition. Her legs were long. Tone. Nike trainers on her feet. Short black silk shorts. A bright pink sports bra showcasing a flat stomach. Blonde hair pulled back in a pony tail. A few strands sticking to a sweat slick neck. Her smile was bright.

 

He was gone. Done. Taken.

 

"Are you okay?" Rachel tilted her head as she stared at the man who shared her plight. She hadn't expected to hit the ground. Her legs had tangled with his and it had all been over.

 

"I...I..." JC stuttered. He shook his head wondering why he couldn't string two words together. He had never been unable to talk to a girl. "Hi."

 

Rachel grinned. "Hi."

 

People carried on around them like it wasn't odd seeing two people sitting on the ground. Maybe it wasn't for New York City.

 

Rachel grabbed his sunglasses from the sidewalk surprised they hadn't been stepped on by some impatient foot. She handed the shades to him. Her pulse quickened when his fingers brushed against hers. "Are you okay?"

 

JC stared into her eyes, his hand holding onto his sunglasses. Holding her hand. He felt like his heart had taken a dive right into his stomach and when it came back up it was beating double time. Her smile was still bright, lighting him up. Her eyes made it impossible for him to look away.

 

"How about we get up off the sidewalk and move out of the way before we get trampled?" Rachel pushed to her feet. Once she was standing, she held out her arm for him to take.

 

"Yeah." JC put his hand in hers and stood. They moved from the middle of the sidewalk to the concrete wall that served as a barrier to the park. It was lined with trees creating sort of a canopy over the sidewalk. "Are you okay?"

 

"I'm okay." He hadn't dropped her hand and Rachel couldn't find it in herself to care. "Are you okay?" She reached up and gripped the bill of his hat. She gave it a tug correcting the slight tilt it had. Someone must have knocked it in the fall. Maybe her.

 

"Thanks," JC let his cheeks heat wondering how dorky he had looked with his hat all crocked. He reached up and lifted it off his head before settling it back down.

 

Rachel caught the brown curls before he placed the hat back on his head. Dark brown with golden highlights. Her fingers itched to run through them. His blue eyes were nearly the same color as hers. She was certain his face could have been on any Greek sculpture.

Sharp jaw line. Sculpted cheekbones. Full bottom lip. A thin strip of hair bisected his chin. She was willing to overlook that small detail. He was gorgeous.

 

"I'm Rachel." Rachel felt like an idiot when she held out her hand.

 

"JC." JC placed his hand in hers. His fingers curled. His thumb rest on the back of her hand. The movement was slight as he stared into her eyes. "Nice to meet you."

 

I stumbled through hello on 5th Avenue



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story