"You ready?"

 

"Of course," JC grinned. He leaned down and slapped the neck of the brown gelding he was sitting on.

 

"I don't know," Kevin Hawkins stared at his daughter's boyfriend. His smirk hidden beneath the coarse hair of his brown and grey beard. "He looks too much like a city slicker... maybe you should have saddled up Mary for him instead of Hank here." He ran a hand over the horse's neck.

 

"Mary is twenty years old and has no gallop in her." Rachel rolled her eyes at her father as she put her foot in the stirrup and swung up and over the back of the paint horse named Patton.

 

"Exactly." Kevin grinned.

 

"Daddy..." she shook her head. "JC will be fine. Hank hasn't tossed him yet. I think he likes him." She winked at JC.

 

"We've come to an understanding. Haven't we Hank?" JC asked the horse giving him another rub.

 

"Of course he does. I've heard him crooning to the horses. Now they'll expect that every day. Sneaking treats. He's the reason your momma had to go and pick up apples and carrots this morning."

 

JC felt himself blush at Rachel's father's words. He had been giving them a lot of treats. Every day since he and Rachel had been on her parents' farm. It was just as beautiful as Rachel had told him. Breathtaking views. Spacious lands. Beautiful sunrises and sunsets. Rachel had been right. Those didn't happen in the city.

 

The hot summer days had faded. October was right around the corner. The days were warm, a cool fall breeze. The nights were cooler. He enjoyed those nights just as much. Him. Rachel. A blanket. A bottle of wine. The clear night sky.

 

Rachel's family had accepted him immediately. He'd been nervous on the drive from the airport to the farm. He wanted her family to like him. Denise, Rachel's mother, had been just like he had thought. A no nonsense tough woman. Beneath that hard exterior was a soft soul who loved her family. Gathered at the dinner table every night, he could see the love in the Hawkins' family. From Kevin, who ran the farm. Denise who ran everything else. Nate working the land and animals next to his father. The first born son ready to take the reigns. Lindsay, the sixteen year old who gave him a glimpse at what Rachel had been like during her teenage years. Who had Kevin wrapped around her finger. Who told him straight up on the very first day she was a Backstreet Boy fan. Who had been banished to the kitchen by Denise, who had apologized profusely. JC had just laughed. Bethany and Ben were away at college. He couldn't wait to meet them.

 

"You need me to check anything while we're out there?"

 

"No Girl," Kevin shook his head and stepped away from the two horses. "Go and enjoy your ride."

 

"You should probably check your liquor cabinet Dad," Nate said as he walked in through the open door of the barn. "Rachel's been known to sneak some vodka."

 

"Lies!" Rachel exclaimed. "Who would sneak Daddy's liquor and fill it with water thinking he wouldn't notice?"

 

"It was already watered down from my sister."

 

"Do not believe a word he says," Rachel told JC. "All lies."

 

"You would never," JC grinned. Hank pranced beneath him, antsy. Ready to go.

 

"I'll fill you in later on all the things my sister used to do." Nate grinned.

 

"You will not." Rachel tightened her hold on the reigns and gave Patton a nudge with her heels.

 

The smile never fell from JC's face as they rode from the barn toward the pasture. He watched as Rachel leaned down to open the gate from atop her horse. The movement quick and easy like she had done it a million times. She more than likely had.

 

Once they cleared the gate on the other side of the pasture, they opened up and let the horses run across the land. The sun was high overhead, warming the air. JC's long sleeve t-shirt whipped against his body in the wind. He hadn't felt this relaxed and free in years as he had the week and a half at Rachel's parents'. He had a few more days of relaxation before he had to head back to Orlando. Then New York City.

 

Pulling the horses up, they slowed to a walk. The horse walked side by side through the field. They roamed the open fields plenty in the days they had been there. Rachel had also taken him through some of the trails in the woods. He preferred the openness. He preferred anything anywhere as long as he was with Rachel.

 

"Let's stop here and let the horses rest." Rachel said as they came upon a small lake that came and went depending on the weather and how much rain the area received.

 

"Sounds good." JC stopped his horse and watched as Rachel jumped from the saddle with ease. His body didn't move that easily. The first day they rode he had been hurting. In shape as he was, his muscles still hurt.

 

When he was on the ground, he let the reigns fall. The horses would stay close as they roamed. He walked to Rachel's horse where she had the saddle bags packed. While she grabbed the blanket, he took out the small containers filled with finger foods. A thermos full of hot chocolate. Carrying the items to the blanket Rachel had spread out, he knelt down and laid them out before taking a seat. When he was settled, Rachel sat beside him. She tucked her arm through his and leaned against his shoulder.

 

"So how true was Nate's story about you taking your father's liquor?"

 

Rachel chuckled. "Hundred percent. Between me and Nate, I don't think Daddy had any alcohol on those bottles."

 

JC laughed. "It must have been petty nice growing up here."

 

"Yeah..." Rachel smiled as she though back to her childhood. "It was. Sometimes I thought it was terrible. Nothing to do. Nowhere to shop. Had to drive hours to get to a good mall. So many chores. In the morning before school and after. But it was great. I couldn't imagine it any differently."

 

"I love your family. I can't wait to meet Ben and Bethany."

 

"And you were worried they wouldn't like you." Rachel teased him. She lifted her head from his shoulder. "I caught Lindsay on the phone yesterday talking you up. How you were the coolest ever."

 

JC chuckled. "Maybe I've brought her over to the dark side."

 

Rachel laughed. "Maybe."

 

"I'll have to see when we tour closest to here next. Maybe invite her to the show. If you think that's okay..."

 

"Of course! She'd love it. I could probably bring her given enough time to schedule off from work."

 

"Even better." JC kissed her lips. The kiss continued. He shifted his body, turning so he could lay her down on the blanket. He cupped the base of her head with one hand while his other held his weight off her. He felt her hands at his sides.

 

The week had been full of stolen moments like this. Kisses on their rides. Walking hand in hand on the property. Kisses in the hayloft. Snuggles on the porch swing watching the sunset. Quiet lovemaking nestled in Rachel's room. He couldn't remember a time when he had to keep quiet so parents wouldn't overhear.

 

Rachel stared up at him after the kiss ended. She cupped his face with her hands and ran her thumbs over his cheeks. "I love you."

 

JC turned his head pressing a kiss to one of her palms. "I love you." He leaned down and kissed her again. Before the kiss could get carried away he leaned back. He brushed his fingers across her cheek, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. He smiled when she smiled at him. "What are you doing for the rest of my life?"

 

Rachel's brow furrowed at JC's odd question until the words penetrated. Her eyes widened. "Wh-what?"

 

"I love you Rachel," JC began. "The way I feel about you... there is no one else for me. You're it. I know it."

 

Rachel's eyes filled with tears. He blurred in front of her. She gave a small laugh. The craziness... it had only been three months. "Oh JC..."

 

JC sat back on his hunches, pulling Rachel into a seated position. Reaching into his pocket he produced the ring. The empty velvet box was hidden in his suitcase. He hoped it stayed empty. "Will you marry me?"

 

"Oh JC..." Rachel covered her mouth with her hands. The ring was beautiful. She looked up into his expectant eyes. "Yes," she nodded as laughter bubbled up. "Yes!" Her hand trembled as JC slipped the ring on. When it was in place she threw her arms around his neck.

 

I asked her what she was doing for the rest of my life

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story