"You look absolutely stunning," Denise told her daughter as she stared at her reflection in the floor length mirror.

 

Rachel met her mother's eyes in the mirror and smiled. "You're supposed to say that."

 

"Oh sweetie, everyone is gonna be thinking it when they see you." She spread out the veil over Rachel's back. The white dress was strapless. The bodice was fitted and had a lace appliqué. The white satin dress flared out at the hips. It fell to the ground with a beautiful modest three feet train.

 

"Thank you for letting us have the wedding here." Rachel turned around to face her mother.

 

"Oh," Denise brushed her daughter's words aside. "Your Daddy is tickled pink you picked his farm to get married out of every place in the world. He hasn't stopped strutting around here since you asked him."

 

Rachel smiled. She'd been hesitant to ask JC about getting married on her parents' farm. Hadn't been sure if he'd even entertain the idea of an outside wedding in Nebraska on a farm. But he had jumped at the chance. Had fallen in love with her parents' land. Now her parents' sprawling yard was packed with chairs facing the setting sun to the west. A huge tent had been erected with tables and chairs for their guests. The list slightly bigger than they had planned. The temperature was mild. The crisp fall coolness had yet to blow in, but plenty of heaters had been placed in the tent area to keep the temperatures comfortable.

 

She had been at her parents for the last two weeks making final preparations. JC had only been in town for a week. Logistics had been a slight nightmare. The majority of wedding guests had to stay in hotels in Omaha. She and JC stayed with her parents along with JC's parents, her matron of honor Melissa and her other bridesmaid, Cassidy. Both Melissa and Cassidy had been her best friends left behind in Chicago when she moved to Orlando at the beginning of the year. Nate had offered up the empty rooms in his house. Rachel was certain he had been hoping Cassidy would take the offer had seen the looks between the two. Rachel made him take Lance, Justin, Chris, and Joey instead.

 

"Is it crazy that I'm getting married already?" Rachel asked her mother as she fiddled with the pearl bracelet around her wrist. A matching necklace circled her neck. The same pearls her mother had worn in her own wedding twenty seven years prior. The same her grandmother had worn. One day, she would pass the set down to her own daughter. Warmth swept through her at the thought.

 

"It's not crazy," Denise smiled softly. "You and JC are meant to be together. Anyone who sees you together can see what you have is real. It doesn't matter if you've known him fifty years or a day. He's a good man Sweetie. I was hesitant when you told me who he was and what he did for a living. I thought for sure he'd break your heart, but he surprised me. He's that diamond in the rough."

 

"It scares me how much I love him," Rachel confessed.

 

"Don't be scared," Denise squeezed her daughter's hand. "Embrace it."

 

"If we don't get a move on we'll have to catch the next sunset." Kevin walked to his wife and daughter.

 

"I don't know if JC would appreciate that. I've driven him nuts with wedding stuff."

 

"Baby girl, that boy would wait forever," Kevin said gruffly.

 

Rachel smiled softly and turned to look in the mirror. She smoothed her hands down her dress. Butterflies woke and fluttered around in her belly.

 

"You're beautiful," Kevin said as his wife left to be walked down the aisle to her seat. "You look just like your momma. When I saw her for the first time in that church... I couldn't breath. Your Uncle Patrick had to nudge me or else I would have collapsed right there on the pulpit."

 

"I hope you told Tyler that," Rachel giggled softly. JC's brother Tyler, was the best man. "Just in case."

 

"He passes out, Nate will never let him live it down." Kevin chuckled.

 

"Definitely not." Rachel grinned thinking of her brother. "But I'll be right there laughing when the same thing happens to him."

 

Kevin smiled as he offered Rachel his arm. "As soon as Cassidy lets him catch her."

 

Rachel raised her eyebrows in surprise.

 

"I got eyes girl." Kevin chuckled. "I can see him tripping over himself when she's in the room."

 

"I wish I could be around to watch the battle."

 

"You know your momma will give you the play by play." Kevin chuckled and patted her hand. "You ready to get married?"

 

"Oh yeah," Rachel grinned.

 

When she saw JC standing at the end of the makeshift aisle, the butterflies disappeared. Her eyes never left his. Her smile matched his. She felt a tear build in the corner of her eye.  It had only taken four hundred and eighty two days to get to this moment. She was certain she would have married him that first day on 5th Avenue. If it had been Vegas maybe they would have.

 

But here, now, it was perfect. The sun was beginning to set in the horizon as the ceremony started. Their friends and family were gathered in white chairs in her parents' yard. A cow moo'd in the distance. The smell of the land all around them.

 

JC stood next to her, her arm threaded through his. A black suit jacket with matching pants. A black vest beneath the jacket. Forgoing the traditional white button up shirt, he wore a burgundy one with a black bow tie. She bet he looked gorgeous. Would properly check him out later. When she could fully breathe and focus.

 

Next to him stood Tyler, Justin, and Nate. Best man and groomsmen. Nate had been floored when JC asked. Their friendship had grown over the months from the moment they first met. They each wore matching black suits just like JC. However, their vests were burgundy and their shirts were the traditional white. Burgundy bow ties completed the ensemble.

 

Next to her were Melissa, Cassidy, and Bethany. Each of them wore a burgundy floor length dress. Cowboy boots donned their feet. Just like what she wore beneath her dress. Their bouquets were similar to hers. A mixture of burgundy and white.

 

When it was time to give her vows she grew nervous once again. It took her weeks to write hers. Countless of papers were crumbled up and thrown in the trash. Nothing sounded right. Nothing she wrote really described what JC was to her and how much she loved him. She feared hers would never live up to his.

 

She handed her bouquet to Melissa as she took the ring from her maid of honor's hand. Turning back to JC, she began to speak.

 

"JC...I always thought I'd be swept off my feet when I met the man I was supposed to be with. That's what every romantic book and movie tells us. But you quite literally knocked me off my feet when we met. We sat there on 5th Avenue while people walked around us and stepped over us. From that moment you captured me. I didn't even know something was missing until I met you. You slid into my life so effortlessly like you were always supposed to be there. And you were. Are."

 

Rachel reached for his left hand. She held the platinum band at the tip of his finger. Her hand trembled. Her gaze never wavered from JC's. "When I look at you, I see you. I see Josh. Your love is fierce and genuine. I would choose you in every lifetime. My heart belongs to you." She slid the ring on his finger and over his knuckles.

 

JC had to wipe the tears from his eyes at Rachel's vows. He wanted to pull her into a kiss; show her every emotion he was feeling right now. The kiss would have to wait.

 

"You stole my words," he started after he accepted Rachel's ring from Tyler. His voice was soft and low. He was certain people couldn't hear but only one person needed to hear and she was standing right in front of him. "You've been doing that from the very first moment we met. Falling for you was beyond my control. You captured my heart that day and suddenly you became my everything. It's the best thing that has ever happened to me." JC took her left hand in his. As he slid the ring on her finger he said, "I will choose you. Without pause. Without a doubt. In a heartbeat. I will keep choosing you every day for the rest of my life. You will forever be my always. I love you."

 

"Oh..." Rachel's lips parted as her emotions ran wild. Tears filled her eyes. She squeezed his hands as his squeezed hers.

 

"Rachel, do you take Joshua to be your lawfully wedded husband?

 

Rachel smiled as she stared in to JC's eyes. She gave his hands another squeeze. A tear rolled down her cheek. "I do."

 

"Joshua, do you take Rachel to be your lawfully wedded wife?"

 

"I do." JC grinned.

 

"By the power vested in me by the state of Nebraska, you may now kiss the bride."

 

In the midst of the cheers and clapping, JC pulled his new wife to him and kissed her.

 

"Ladies and Gentleman, may I present to you, Mr. and Mrs. Joshua Chasez."

 

She said "I do"



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story