Author's Chapter Notes:
Hello Hello!! I know I suck at updating...really I do. But I've been so busy lately between work and getting married...I sincerely apologize for the lack of updates. But now that the wedding has passed and I've finished all the thank-you cards...I'm hoping to get some time to write!! These characters are really eating at me and they definitely need to get out...so that's definitely good!!! Thank you all for sticking with me! I truly apprectiate it! -Whit
__________________________________________________________
Why is it, that when you know something’s bad for you…you do it anyways? It’s like everything goes out the window and you push aside that little voice that tells you maybe you shouldn’t. Now, in my defense I’d like to say that I’ve definitely been trying to listen to that voice inside my head…but it’s not quite loud enough yet!

We’ve been on the tour for almost two weeks now and Addison has done a hell of a job avoiding me. I have yet to actually see her, other than on the stage each night. I don’t know why that bothers me so much but I’ve never had someone be a part of my tour that doesn’t enjoy just getting to hang out with everyone outside of the performances. I guess I should have anticipated that response from her, but I figured she’d warm up to all of us by now, apparently not though.

So that’s where that little voice in my head comes into play. It’s telling me I should just leave her the hell alone, clearly, she’s not here for friendship but like I said before…who the hell listens to that voice anyways?

Quickly, I throw on a white baseball hat and cover my eyes with my sunglasses before making my way off my bus. It’s a beautiful autumn day outside with just enough nip in the air to make a sweatshirt warm enough. It’s our first real day off since the tour started and I plan to go out exploring whatever this city has to offer and well, nothing sounds better than dragging someone along for the ride and I have the perfect victim.

“Addison!!!” I shout, as she tries to duck onto her bus. I can’t believe I actually caught her doing something other than hiding away in her bus.

She peaks her head around the doors before stopping mid step and walking back down the stairs. “Yeah?” She asks as I finish the jog towards her.

“What are you doing today?” I ask.

“Just doing some stuff on my bus…I should really get back…” She says before turning away from me.

“Wait…listen, I need a favor…” I interject.

“What?” She says turning her head back towards me.

“I want to go explore the city and…” I barely get the words out before she’s quick to interrupt

“I’m busy, Justin…”

“Come on Addison, we haven’t even hung out since you got on this tour…it’ll be like old times…remember?” I beg. She visibly tightens at my words but I push on. “I promise you’ll have a good time and if you don’t, then I’ll do something you want to do the next time.”
“No, thanks Justin…go bother Marty…” She offers.

“He’s working on new choreography today with some other people…”

“How about Chris…he’s always up for something…” She tries.

“His girlfriend is here…come on Addison…you’ll have a good time, I promise and like I said before…I’ll do whatever you want to the next time.” I beg.

A small groan escapes her lips and she rolls her eyes before closing the door to her bus and walking towards me. “Who says there will ever be a next time Justin?”

I try not to let the smile take over my face but this is the first time I’ve actually gotten her to do something she doesn’t want to. It’s a small victory at least, but I’ll take it at this point.

We start walking down the sidewalk, just admiring the tall skyscrapers and the buzz of people surrounding us, as we make our way into the heart of downtown. Even though I have no real destination in mind, it’s nice to just enjoy the freedom of having nothing to do and all day to do it.

“Where are we going?” She asks breaking our silence.

“I don’t know…”

“What are we doing?”

“I don’t know…” I answer nonchalantly and she’s clearly becoming irritated.

“When are we going back?”

“I don’t know…”

“Well you’re full of answers today…” She says with sarcasm laced through her voice. “Why couldn’t someone else do this again?”

“Because I wanted to hang out with you…” I say matter-of-factly. “Don’t act like this is torture to spend the day with me…we used to hang out in Tennessee all the time with Trace and the gang.”

“Whatever Justin…listen, I’ll go along with this on one condition…”

“What’s that?” I ask, knowing what it might be already.

“We don’t talk about Tennessee, middle school or any other topic that begins with remember when…deal?” She asks stopping in mid-step.

I roll my eyes and reach for her hand, to pull her with me. “Deal…now can we just have a good time…”

A response isn’t needed and she quickly falls into step next to me. Addison is probably the most difficult person I’ve ever had to deal with in my life but sometimes a challenge is the best part.

________________________________________________________________________

I don’t really know why I agreed to going along with Justin today. I think part of me was starting to get a little claustrophobic in my bus and looked at it as an easy excuse to just get away. The other part of me knew if I didn’t go with he’d bother me for the rest of the tour to hang out anyways. I figured I might as well get it out of the way early on.

Walking alongside Justin, I can’t help but steal a glimpse in his direction and realize how much we’ve changed. The last time I ever hung out with him I was thirteen and he was back in Memphis on a break from *Nsync. Back then, he was chasing his dreams in Europe while I was still grinding it out at the dance studio. It’s amazing how care-free life was back then, running around the lake and raising hell in the neighborhood. Back then, I was just a normal kid with dreams of making it big. Back then, I never questioned people’s intentions. Back then, life was simple. Sometimes I wish I could fly back in time and stop the events that changed my life and me forever and other times I tell myself to toughen up.

A small smile plays across my lips as I remember the time Justin, Trace and myself all camped out by the lake and our parents nearly had our heads when we came back the next morning. It’s those things I miss and it’s those memories that can be very dangerous around Justin.

“What are you smiling for?” He asks, breaking me from my memory.

“I’m not smiling…” I answer with hint of defensiveness in my voice.

“Whatever you say Addi…” And there it is…my nickname from way back when and as much as I hate the feelings it evokes. I stop myself from jumping down his throat for using it and just brush it off.

Suddenly, he stops abruptly in front of a sports store and quickly opens the door, waving me through. I take the first few steps inside and I’m immediately hit with the hundreds of jerseys and sporting equipment. I have no flipping idea why we’re here but whatever…I’m just along for the ride.

“What’s your favorite sport?” Justin asks out of the blue, while rummaging through some shirts.

“What?” I ask, completely confused by this exchange.

“What’s your favorite sport?” He repeats.

“Umm…football…” I answer hesitantly, still unsure of where this is going.

“Nice choice…favorite team?” He asks.

“Green Bay Packers…” I respond and he looks up completely shocked.

“I didn’t know you were a Packer fan…I never saw that one coming at all…”

“There’s a lot you don’t know about me Justin…” I say sharply and he nods his head in agreement.

“All right…favorite player?” He says trying to switch topics.

“Easy…Brett Favre…he’s the greatest.” I say matter-of-factly.

“Figures…I shouldn’t have even asked.” Justin says while a short laugh escapes his mouth.

“All right then…same questions…” I tease back.

“Basketball…Memphis Tigers…Michael Jordan…” He rattles off and he smiles widely when he sees what he was looking for. A blue jersey with Memphis written across the chest catches his eye and before you know it…it’s already in his hands and we’re walking towards the counter. As quick as we entered, it looks like we’re already leaving until Justin stops at a rack filled with green and gold.

“You should get a Brett Favre jersey, Addison. I mean, football season is about to start…you gotta have something to wear when you watch the games.” He offers while pulling out a number four jersey.

“I already have five Justin…I’m good.” I respond while putting it back on the rack.

“Damn…and I thought I was the sports obsessed one…” He jokes before finishing the walk towards the counter. In a matter of minutes we’re already back on the street, walking further into the chaos. As much as I’m trying to enjoy the day…I can feel myself tensing up at times. It’s like I’ve completely forgotten how to be around other people; how to just let loose and have fun. I haven’t done that since the day my life changed forever. I don’t allow myself to get caught up in these situations and I’m quickly realizing why.
________________________________________________________________________

I can tell Addison is having a hard time just being herself while we walk the streets. I’m trying my hardest not to push any subject for fear she’ll take off running. It’s difficult for her to trust me and even though I have no idea why her guards are up so high…I’m just looking for some time with my friend back.

“How do you like the tour so far?” He asks, as we round another corner.

“It’s just like any other tour…not my first one.” She responds and a little bit of me is hurt by that comment. She’s comparing my tour to everyone else’s and it stings a little. “I do enjoy having my own bus though…” She says light-heartedly.

“I bet you do…I remember having to share one bus with four other guys and that was hard enough. Everyone was always in your business and sometimes you just wanted to be left alone and everywhere you turned, someone was right there. It gets tiring.”

“Exactly…” She exclaims. “It’s nice to know that when I get on the bus it’s just me and I don’t have to worry about being someone else…” She says before snapping her mouth shut.

“You know…I won’t bite…” I try and lighten her mood and she just lightly smiles but doesn’t respond. Seriously, the girl is like hot and cold with me but I got her to agree to spend the day with me and that has to account for something.

________________________________________________________________________

The sun has already made it’s descent across the city and the wind has begun to pick up. The air is starting to create a chill down my spine and I realize that my sweatshirt is not enough to keep me warm. We’re finally heading back to the hotel and I must admit despite all my hesitations about today…I actually had a decent time. There were moments where I wanted to run but for the most part, Justin kept his promise and never brought up Memphis and for that I’m thankful. I don’t have any intention of rekindling the past but it was nice to just forget and live in the moment for the day.

As we make the final turn, the bright lights of the Radison come into view and all the buses line the street. Justin shivers slightly as the wind whips our faces and both of us start to pick up the pace.

Once we’re inside the building, I can feel my body already starting to warm up and I realize just how tired I am after our excursion. Today, I found out that Justin is quite the shopper and even though I enjoy it…I’m pretty sure we went into every store we passed and maybe even twice for some. Now, I have every intention of falling into my bed upstairs and succumbing to the sleep that is already starting to claim my eyes.

He laughs when a yawn escapes my lips once we’re inside the elevator. “What are you laughing at Timberlake?”

“I wore you out today…” He says cockily.

“Don’t blow your chest up yet…” I say.

An eyebrow rises at my comment and a hearty chuckle escapes his throat. “Please…just admit it Addison, you can’t keep up with me.”

“Oh please, I can run circles around you…I’m just tired from all the traveling.”

He practically bursts into laughter at my response and suddenly the doors open to our floor. “Even though you won’t admit it…I know you had a good time today and like I said before you can pick what we do the next time.”

My hand grips the doorknob to my room and I insert my key. “Like I said before Justin…nobody said anything about a next time…Good night.” I say before disappearing into my room and letting the door crack as it shuts. Even though I won’t admit it to him…part of me had a good time today…but only a part…


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story