Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey there!! I'm so excited that you're liking this new story...it's definitely different for me in terms of characters and writing. I'll be bouncing back and forth from Addison and Justin's POV...so just a heads up! :) But thank you all so much for the reviews and I hope you like the update!! Please keep the reviews coming, you're all awesome!!
“Five, six, seven, eight…” Jon, the choreographer, calls out and my arms swing into motion quickly repeating the steps we’ve been through at least a hundred times today. I move in tune to the beats and start to get irritated when another dancer clearly falls behind. How many times do we have to go through this shit?

“Brooke…you’re at least a full step behind everyone…either you get it right or we’re going to have to discuss some other opportunities for you.” Jon explains trying to hide the irritation in his voice as well.

“I’m sorry…I’ll get it right.” Brooke affirms.

“Then get it…” He says before counting us down again and the whole group starts to move perfectly in sync. It’s a sea of bodies all moving in a precise and calculated way but with enough style to make it look original. You see…that’s what I love about dance. It’s such an expression and escape for me. Each person can bring a different style and flare to a routine but collectively it all flows together.

Jon claps his hands together once the sixteen count is completed and we all stop. Our chests are heaving and we’re hoping he’s pleased. We’ve been practicing for week’s straight, from sun up till sun down and we’re all a little stressed out. “All right everyone…I think that’s it for today. Be back here, packed and ready to go by six am. If you’re not here, the tour will leave without you.” Jon orders before picking up his bag and disappearing out the door.

That’s one thing I like about this choreographer, he’s straight to the point and has a no bull shit attitude. Once it’s right, he’s out the door. It makes my life a hell of a lot easier. I don’t have any room for the lovey-dovey, let’s all be friends crap anyways. Reaching down, I pull out a towel and wipe the sweat off my forehead. Quickly, I pull on my hoodie and zip it up before throwing my bag over my shoulder and walking towards the door.

“Addison…we’re all going to go out tonight. You know, celebrate Christina’s tour…wanna come?” Brooke asks while the others start to huddle around.

“Nope…” I answer sharply before turning to walk out the door. I’ve never been one for social gatherings, especially with the other dancers I’m on tour with. Let’s be real here…all they are a bunch of people who don’t know each other, trying to act like everything is rainbows and stars. You stand there with a drink in your hand, sucking back alcohol to loosen up, but not enough to be that one belligerent person who everyone wishes would shut up. While everyone else is thinking, I’d rather be at home. Fuck that, I don’t need to put myself through that…I’d rather just go home and curl up with a good book. Besides, what’s the point in getting close to everyone…they’re just going to disappear once the tour’s over anyways, they always do.

I push open the door to the studio and head out towards my car. The cool autumn breeze brushes against my face and sends a slight shiver down my body. Despite the chill in the air, I love the fall weather. It’s an excuse to wear jeans and sweatshirts all the time and who doesn’t love that? Opening my car door, I toss my bag onto the seat before hopping into the driver’s side. Rolling down my window, I reverse out of the lot and head straight back to my apartment. I still haven’t packed a thing for the tour and we’re leaving tomorrow morning.

________________________________________________________________________
Why is it that whenever things are going perfectly in your life, something always has to go wrong? I think God does it just to fuck with my head but right now is really not the time to be dealing with issues. I’m frustrated, crabby and really irritated…I would suggest not getting in my way.

“Justin…what do you want to do?” Johnny asks from across the table and to be honest with you…I completely zoned out a second ago. By the way, why is it that whenever you’re off in your own little world, someone always asks you a question?

“Huh…what?” I stumble out, not failing to miss the irritated look that slides across Johnny’s face.

“The dancers? Remember Krystal broke her ankle and won’t be able to tour for the rest of the year. We have dates scheduled for almost the entire year, there’s still plenty of time to get a replacement.”

“I don’t know Johnny…that’s a lot for someone to learn in a week’s time. Wouldn’t it just be better to adjust the show and cut her dances out? I mean there’s already great chemistry amongst everyone…it’d just be a pain to try and find and rehearse with someone.” I argue.

“Krystal was one of the lead female dancers…the show would really be missing an integral part. Not to mention, you’d have to get rid of one of the male dancers to even out the partnering work.” Johnny reasons.

I’m really getting annoyed with this conversation. I really don’t care whether we find a new dancer or just re-organize the show. I just don’t want to continue this debate. “Find another dancer…I’ll work with her all next week and get her caught up. If she’s taking Krystal’s spot, she’s going to be partnered with me most of the songs anyways.” I say before standing up from the table and walking towards the door. “One more thing…just make sure she’s an experienced dancer. If she’s going to learn the whole show in one week…she needs to pick up the choreography quick.” I request before opening the door and walking down the hall.

I was annoyed before I even went into that meeting and now I could snap on anyone who gets in my way. I hate being in these shitty moods but there’s just been a lot to deal with lately. Balancing my tour, spending time with Jessica, promoting my upcoming movies and the hounding paparazzi; my nerves are fried. I can’t wait to get home and fall down onto my couch. All I feel like doing is sleeping away this crappy day anyways.

________________________________________________________________________

My apartment looks like a bomb went off in it. I have several suitcases lined up on the floor and I’ve spent all night packing everything I’m going to need for the next couple of months. Now I absolutely love dancing and nothing makes me happier than being on tour and doing what I love, every night. But I hate living out of a suitcase and being in a different hotel all the time. Nothing compares to being at home and in your own bed but despite my qualms, I wouldn’t change it. You see, dance has always been there for me. No matter what I was going through…it was and still is my solace.

Finally, I zip my last bag and fall into my couch. The cushions practically swallow me whole before I let my head fall back. I’m all packed and ready to hit the road when my cell phone rings. Who is calling me at midnight?

Tiredly, I push myself up from the comfort of my couch and grab my phone. Flipping it open, I prepare myself for the infamous night before I leave talk.

“Hi mom…” I say coolly.

“Hi sweetie…are you ready for the tour tomorrow?”

“Yeah…just got done packing. I was about to get into my pajamas and read before heading to bed.”

“That sounds nice…I just wanted to call and wish you good luck.”

“Thanks…” I say flatly.

“All right honey…I’ll let you get some rest. Have a great tour and don’t forget to call. We love you…” She says with a hint of disappointment in her voice. She thinks I don’t pick up on it but I specifically choose to ignore it.

“Will do…bye mom.” I say before closing my phone.

I know I sound cold when I talk to my mom but nobody understands our relationship. Everything’s changed and it’s not how it used to be and I don’t think it will ever get back there. I still hold a huge grudge against her for holding back the fact that I was adopted. Even now, I can remember that day like it was yesterday and it’s been five years. But the wound still hurts and the pain is still a part of my everyday life. That one secret nearly crushed me and managed to destroy my entire relationship with my family.

I shake those thoughts from my head and head towards my bed. The only things that will pull me out of this funk are sweatshirts, sweatpants and Nicholas Sparks’s books…those three things are vital to my livelihood. I don’t expect anyone to ever understand my obsession with his books but they pull me into this fantasy land where love conquers everything. I want to believe in these fairytales, that someone or something will waltz into your life and change everything. They’ll make you see, breathe and live for love but life has taught me differently. Besides last time I checked, fairytales are fairytales for a reason. Crawling into bed, I throw the covers over me and prepare to get swept away in a story that will never be reality.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story