Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey there!! Thank you all for the reviews, I'm so glad you're enjoying this story!! I love this story and it's been fun so far. So I hope you enjoy the new update and please keep the reviews coming!!!
He thought he could just waltz right on into my life and throw that charming smile and confident swagger around and we’d just be the best of buddies. I can’t stand that he walks around the studio making little comments about life back in Memphis. It’s like he was trying to unlock everything that happened ten years ago. Doesn’t he get the hint…I don’t want to talk, think, reminisce or even remember my life in Memphis.

It’s even more annoying being stuck in a small room with mirrors plastered everywhere. Anywhere I turn, he was always there. He was analyzing everything about me my walk, my expressions, my voice; I feel like I’m under a microscope. I’m just so irritated by this whole situation.

After the initial meeting and constant prodding, we ran through as much choreography as I could handle; practicing all the way up until I needed to be at the arena for rehearsals with Christina. I was a little nervous for the show last night; I thought I might bust out into Justin’s choreography considering it was becoming so ingrained into my brain. Thankfully though, the show went smoothly and now we’re on our way to the next arena. I’m a little tired from the constant dancing whether it’d be with Justin or Christina but at the same time I wouldn’t change it.

Once we reach the arena, I have to head to another dance studio to meet with Justin. I can’t say that I regret my decision to join his tour because I am excited to see what lies ahead for me, but if I have to go through these walks down memory lane every day, it might be another story.

The bus finally pulls to a stop and the rest of the dancers start to gather there things and head inside the building. Reaching for my dance bag, I sling it over my shoulder and start in the opposite direction from everyone else. Securing my iPod over my ears, I make the short walk down the street to a building with red awnings and “Dance” written boldly across the windows. Heading inside, I throw my hoodie up over my head and walk into the brightly lit lobby. A secretary smiles politely at me and asks for my name. Explaining that I’m here to practice with Justin, she directs me down the hallway to a dance studio completely secluded from the rest.

Opening the door; I spot Justin already running through the routine. He’s completely lost in his own world and doesn’t even notice me at first. Throwing my bag onto the ground, I slip my dance shoes on and walk towards him.

“Hey Addison…how are you doing?” He asks, stopping in mid-movement.

“I’m fine…I don’t have a lot of time to practice. I have to be back at the arena by four. Christina’s holding a tour meeting.” I say while stretching out my arms and legs.

“All right…well how comfortable are you with everything we went through yesterday?” He asks while running has hand over his buzzed head.

“I got it…let’s move onto something else.” I respond.

“Ok…let’s go through Cry Me a River .” He says.

My thoughts immediately flash to all the controversy surrounding that song and I can’t help but ask. “Whatever happened with you and Britney anyway?”

Justin looks almost shocked that I would ask. “I’d rather not go there Addison.”

“Why?” I ask, liking that I’m able to throw him a little off kilter, considering that’s what he did to me all day yesterday.

“Because I just don’t…it happened such a long time ago.”

“Then why don’t you just put it all to rest and talk about it. You’re all dodgy when people ask you about her. If you’re really over it all, why not just answer the question.” I challenge him.

His eyebrows rise slightly at my forcefulness. “Why don’t you want to talk about Memphis, Addison? You’re just as, how did you put it, dodgy whenever I talk about it.” He asks, returning my challenge.

I feel my body stiffen at that. “Drop it Justin…let’s just go over the choreography.”

He starts running through the opening with me and I get into the position he’s instructed, giving him my full attention. Even though I might not act like it, I respect what Justin’s accomplished as an artist. Probably three-quarters of the people we went to school with still reside in our old neighborhoods and are busy pumping out kids. It takes a strong character to break away from the hold Memphis has and therefore I can respect that aspect of him.

“All right, I think I got it…” I say before getting up next to him, ready to run through the opening.

The motions flow effortlessly out of our bodies the minute the song begins. I feel myself start to get lost in the moves and the emotion of the song. I love being able to connect to the feeling of the song and the lyrics. Even though, the pain Justin felt with this song is nothing like anything I’ve ever experienced from a lover…the pain I’ve been through cuts a hell of a lot deeper. Our bodies move in sync with one another and the song starts to come alive through the choreography.

Abruptly I stop, the minute a sharp ringing interrupts the song. Justin jogs over to his bag and reaches for his cell phone.

“Hey Trace, what’s up?”

Oh man, Trace Ayala. Seriously, this walk down the yellow brick road needs to stop. First, Justin now Trace…who else?

“Yeah, no problem. I’m actually in Tacoma, Washington though.” He responds and I know I’m ease-dropping.

He bounces his head back and forth before answering, “I’m going through the choreography with our new dancer. She’s on Christina’s tour so I’ll be following along until my tour starts back up again.”

He turns to look at me and I look away quickly, pretending to be concentrating on the choreography. “You’ll never believe who it is though…do you remember Addison Miller from Memphis?”

I groan at his mention of my name and Memphis again. I’m starting to think I should walk around with a sign above my head displaying that information. Considering in the last two days, I’ve heard that more than I have in the last couple years.

“Yeah no shit…small world. All right well I should get back. I’ll call you later.”

Justin finishes his phone call and throws his cell back into his bag. He walks confidently back to where I’m running through the choreography, perfecting every snap and pop.

“Trace says hey Addi.”

I feel my insides burn at that nickname. “My name’s Addison…not Addi.” I snap.

Justin looks taken back at my outburst. “We always used to call you Addi…”

“Yeah well not anymore.” I say with attitude flaring. Nobody’s called me Addi since I moved away. I can’t handle him bringing up this shit every second.

“Whoa…ok, it’s Addison. I didn’t think it’d bother you so much.”

I brush my hair back and look him straight in the eyes. “It does…listen can we just finish this. I really need to get back for Christina’s show tonight.”

“Yeah no problem…” Justin says quietly before getting in line next to me. I can tell he’s feeling a little put off at my attitude switch but this constant questioning of the past is wearing on my nerves and cracking at my guards.

Justin slides easily back into the role as choreographer and I gladly fall into step behind him. I don’t want to be caught in this constant tug-of-war with him but I don’t know how else to handle this situation. I came to this tour to dance not talk about my life and what I’ve been through since we last saw each other. I’ve locked that shit so far deep inside of me that nobody’s getting through. Thankfully for now, he seems content to let me be.

________________________________________________________________________

We are shaped by the events that happen in our lives and our character develops by the way we handle such situations. I’m starting to wonder what the hell happened to Addison all those years ago. I mean it’s not like we were best friends when we both lived in Memphis but I certainly knew of her; the whole town did. But this Addison is completely different from the one I knew back in Memphis. Addison has been dancing since she could walk and everybody knew how great she was. Dancing was her life; she was always being whisked away to competitions around the state. I’m not surprised she’s somehow worked her way out to California and is now on Christina’s tour.

Her ability to pick up choreography is unprecedented and she’s probably one of the easiest dancers I’ve ever worked with. She’s completely focused on the routines and wants to achieve perfection with each dance. I can’t knock her for that but there’s something missing in her; something that she’s lost since Memphis.

Since, we flew through the choreography for Cry Me a River and I could tell there was a lot on her mind. I called it an early day and let her head back to the arena and rest up for her performance tonight. Conveniently, I forgot to mention that Christina gave me a ticket to come watch the show tonight and that’s exactly where I’m headed.

With Mike in tow, we proceeded into the arena and towards our seats. There’s a curtain spanning the entire stage and it looks like the opening of a Broadway musical. It’s completely and totally Christina. As I take in the props, the lights drop and the crowd goes crazy. Preparing myself to be highly entertained, I’m a little taken back when Addison is the first to make an appearance. Clad in a white three-piece suite, her hair is pulled back slightly and her face displays a happiness that only being on stage can bring out. I smile slightly because in that moment, that’s the Addison I remember.

She goes through all of the moves, giving her everything to each routine and complimenting Christina beautifully. I can’t believe she agreed to join my tour because it’s completely different than Christina’s. But hey I’m about to get one of the best dancers out there and I can’t question that.

Once the concert draws to an end, I decide to head to the back and congratulate her. Slipping through the hallways virtually unnoticed, I find her dressing room and rap my knuckles across the door. Suddenly, the door swings open and I’m met by a petite brunette who looks as shocked to see me as I am her.

“Is Addison here?” I ask, looking over her shoulder into the room.

“Oh my god…you’re Justin Timberlake.” She says excitedly.

“Thanks…I didn’t know that.” I respond sarcastically. Thankfully, I see Addison grabbing her things and start walking towards the door. She looks up at me with a frown on her face and pushes her way through the door, pulling me with.

“What are you doing here?” She snaps.

“I came to watch the show…” I answer like its common knowledge. I mean, this is a concert and all.

“I know that…but why?” She asks.

“I wanted to see you in your element. You’re an awesome dancer Addison.” She blushes slightly at the comment and it’s the first time I’ve actually seen a bit of emotion from her. “Did you just blush?” I ask, catching her off guard.

“What?!” Addison shakes her head quickly and starts to walk towards the exit. “You’re imagining things Justin.” She says while pushing the door open and heading towards the busses.

“Whatever you say Addison…I’ll see you tomorrow bright and early. Oh and this time…don’t be late.” I yell and she turns to flip me off. A hearty chuckle escapes my lips and there’s something about being around her that keeps me on my toes.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story