Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Unexpected Confession
By: Traci W.


Alexis remembered the day perfectly, it was just another Friday. But this Friday was one that would change her life forever. It was November 11th and she had just gotten home from a day at school.

It was pouring rain, and Alexis had opted to wear her rain boots to school instead of regular shoes. She hated the ugly black rubber things, but it was the only way she was going to keep her feet dry through out to the day as she went from class to class.

She drove down the highway as the rain poured from the sky, making the road slippery and wet. It took her an extra 20 minutes just to get home because of all the idiots who were driving.

She sat in her parked car looking out at the sidewalk that led to her doorway to the apartment she shared with 2 other girls. She was deciding what the best way was to get to her door fast without getting wet.

She reached into the passenger seat and grabbed her backpack and holding it close to her chest covering it with the flaps of her jacket. She took a deep breath, opening her car door and got out slamming her door before running to the porch.

She squealed as her boots splashed from puddle to puddle as she made her way down the sidewalk. When she reached the door step she was soaked, so she shook her body trying to get the access water off her.

She shivered before putting her house key into the lock and opening the door, heat instantly rushing over her body—from the heater inside the small apartment—as she took one step into the house stepping on the rug by the door.

“I’m home!” she called,

She whipped off the bottom of her boots on the rug, closing the door behind her and opened up her jacket to take her backpack out from her jacket.

“Alex! Can you get the mail before you come in” she heard,

She sighed and rolled her eyes, “It’s soaking outside” Alex complained.

“Pllleeasse” she heard two voices beg.

She laughed before hanging her damp back pack up on the hook by the door.

“Y’all owe me!” Alex called before turning to open the front door again.

“Lovvee youuu” she heard along with giggles.

Alex giggled as she shook her head and stepped out onto the porch again; the cool air hitting her face and making her shiver. She tightened her jacket around herself and crossed her arms as she looked out at the street and looking at the lonely black mailbox sticking out of its stake in the ground.

She took a deep breath before rushing down the steps and sloshing her way towards the mailbox. She reached the box and opened it, pulling everything out and stuffing it inside flap of her jacket covering it as best she could.

She slammed the mailbox shut before running back towards the apartment. She reached the door again and opened it stepped in and closing it behind her.

“I’m not going out for the rest of the day” she called as she shivered from the new found warmth that ran through her body.

She tossed the mail onto table in the hallway and started to pull off her soaking jacket and kicking off her rain boots. She stuck her boots onto the side of the hallway next to her roommate’s blue and red ones that were already drying and hung up her jacket on the hook next to her backpack.

She picked up the stack of mail and started to search through it as she walked down the hallway towards the living room where she knew her roommates would be.

“Meg, you got your Entertainment Weekly” Alex said as she into the living room and tossed the magazine on Megan’s lap who was curled up on the side of the couch.

Meg looked up at her with a smile, “Thanks” she said,

“Anything for me?” Carley asked looking up the TV program as she sat on the other side of the couch.

Alex went and sat down in between them, and tossed a bulky manila envelope at her “Something from home?” she questioned.

Carley began to open it immediately as Alex went through the rest of the mail.

“How was class?” Megan asked as she looked through her magazine.

Alex sighed as she leaned back against the couch, “Same as always” she replied, “I’m almost done though, one more semester then I’m out of there”

“Good for you girl” Megan said as she nudged her.

Alex smiled, “How was your guy’s day?” she questioned, “It’s a little early to be home no?” she glanced at the time on the cable box.

“Slow day, the rain kept everyone away” Carley announced as she took out pieces of paper from the envelope.

“I was off today” Megan said.

“Of course, lucky bish” Alex said with a chuckle.

Megan smiled as she continued reading. Alex put the rest of the mail on the coffee table and laid back against the couch again staring at the TV.

”What are we watching?” she questioned,

“Nothing, jus surfing” Megan replied as she picked up the remote to change the channel.

The three girls were silent for awhile as they watched the channels flash by before deciding to watch something about Titanic on the discovery channel.

“You guys heading to the Frat party tonight?” Alex asked as she turned to look at the girls.

“Maybe, you?” Carley said turning to Megan and Alexis.

Alexis made a face which caused Carley to chuckled, “You asked” she said,

Megan laughed, “I don’t know, I feel like stayin in” she said “It’s too cold outside”

Carley rolled her eyes, “You guys are old maids” she said “Seriously, it’s Friday and your gonna sit here and watch TV”

“And?” Megan argued,

Carley chuckled, “I know why Alex doesn’t want to go, what’s your excuse?” she turned to Megan.

Megan looked at her, her eyes squinting “Why does it matter what my reason is?” she questioned, “All you need to know is that I’m not going”

Alex sighed “Girls, it’s not that big of a deal” she said, “Carely, go and have a good time it should be fun. Megan, don’t not go because of me, if you want to go I’m not stopping you, I can find something to do”

Megan turned to her but didn’t say anything before her bottom lip came out and she pouted. Alex laughed and leaned over wrapping her arms around her friend.

“You’re a good friend” she said “and I love you guys for helping me through this but please don’t stop your life for me”

“Are you sure you’ll be okay?” Megan asked as she looked at Alex.

Alex nodded “Of course” she said, “I’ll pop in a DVD or maybe try and write something”

“Good, you should keep writing” Carley said as she patted her back.

Alex smiled at her friends, “You guys better get ready, you want to leave with plenty of time, traffic is nuts” she said.

The girls smiled before getting up and rushing down the hallway towards their bedrooms. Alexis watched them and smiled as she leaned back against the couch, she couldn’t ask for better friends.

-*-

A few hours and a couple outfits later Megan and Carley took off towards the party. Alex changed into some sweats and one of her college sweat shirts before going into the kitchen and making herself some dinner. She popped in an Easy Mac into the microwave and took out a water bottle from the fridge.

She searched the DVD rack for something to watch as her Mac N Cheese cooked. She decided on something with action and adventure and some eye candy and pulled out the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie and popped it into the DVD player before going to get her dinner from the microwave.

She sat cross legged on the couch as she started her movie and began to eat and watch her movie. This is what most of her night consisted of ever since she broke up with Trace. As much as her friends wanted her to turn over and new leaf, it wasn’t easy for her. She wasn’t like that, when she started to like someone she fell hard.

Always.

There was nothing she could do to change it; it was something she was going to have to live with. Something she was going to have live with and hope that the people she got involved with would be okay with it.

After eating her dinner she laid across the couch, still watching the movie but her eyes were starting to close. It was barely going to be 9, and she was already falling asleep. She felt her eyes drift close, letting sleep take over her body.

She was about to drift into dreamland when she heard a pounding. Her eyes popped open as she sat up, blinking trying to break the sleep from her eyes. She sat up on the couch and reached for the remote to pause the DVD that was still playing. She waited, listening again.

She heard the same pounding a few minutes later. She got up and peeked down the dark hallway at the front door, someone was there. She waited again and almost jumped as the pounding sounded again. She reached for the thing nearest her which happened to be the emergency flashlight that the girls had in the living room.

She gripped it tightly as she walked down the hard wood floor hallway towards the front door.

“Aleeexxx” she heard from outside, the voice sounded slurred.

Her eyebrows scrunched and she continued her journey down the hallway. She reached the door and stood on her tippy toes to look into the peep hole.

There he was, Justin, he was Trace’s best friend. The two had been together since their elementary school days. He was soaking wet, his clothes hanging on his body as he looked at the door again. She took a step back from the door as he attempted to look through the peep hole.

“Alex, I know you’re here … Meg and Car told me” he said.

Alex rolled her eyes before she reached for the door unlocking it and pulling it open.

“Justin, what are you doing?” she questioned “It’s pouring out here”

Justin took a step back, almost surprised that she had opened the door. When he didn’t say anything she sighed and opened the door more allowing him to step inside.

“It’s freezing out here come in” she said, still clenching the flashlight.

He gulped before stepping into the house, the water from his clothes dripping onto her floor. She closed the door behind him before facing him.

“Let me get you a towel” she said, and walked down the hallway towards a closet where they kept their towels. She put the flashlight back down on the side table before making her way back to him.

She reached him and handed it to him and he quickly wrapped it around himself. Alex watched him as he ran it over his face, collecting the water.

“It’s really pouring isn’t it?” he questioned.

Alex nodded before crossing her arms over her chest, “What are you doing here Justin?” she questioned again.

He looked up at her, his bottom lip going into his mouth as he watched her. His eyes were red, like he had been partying all night. She knew he had been, that was his scene—he was the typical Frat boy along with his best buddy.

“I need to tell you something” he said,

Alex looked at him, waiting for him to continue.

“I wanted to um…um…tell you that” he began.

“Justin what-“ she was cut off, because the instant she opened her mouth Justin had leaned towards her and his lips were on hers silencing her.

Alex was a bit taken back by the kiss, but when she felt his soft lips rub against hers a groan escaped her lips as she reached forward to rest her hands on his shoulders pulling him closer to her.

Justin’s hands went to rest against her cheeks as he moved himself closer her, the water dripping off of him forgotten as his lips continued to attack Alex’s.

Even though his lips felt incredibly good she knew this wasn’t right, she broke the kiss the air rushing back into her lungs as she looked at him.

“What are you doing?” she questioned smacking his shoulder.

He watched her, nothing coming to his mind as to what to say to her. The water was still running down his body, even though the towel had soaked most of it up.

“You’re drunk, I can smell the liquor on your clothes” she said.

He shook his head furiously, “I’m not” he said, “I’m jus finally seeing clear”

“Seeing what clear?” Alex asked,

“Trace never deserved you” Justin started “He can be such an asshole sometimes, but-“

Alex cut him off, “Justin,” she sighed “Whatever you’re about to say please don’t, I can’t have this on my mind anymore”

Justin watched her, his eyes pleading.

“Trace and I are through, we were good for awhile but it jus wasn’t meant to be that’s all, people come and go in your life and you just have to take it and move on”

“I can’t move on” Justin said, “I need you”

Alex watched him as he looked at her, his blue eyes looking into her brown ones, as he walked closer to her, his hands reaching for her shoulders.

“I have loved you since the second Trace pointed you out on campus” he began “Something about you, I wanted to know everything and before I had a chance too Trace had already made his way to you”

Alex didn’t say anything as he continued to talk.

“He’s my best friend, I couldn’t do anything expect step aside and watch you guys start this relationship with me as the third wheel” he continued.

“Justin I had no idea” Alex started.

“Because no one did, I never told anyone this Alex” he said “I was going to tell you tonight since I thought you were going to the party with Megan and Carley”

“But you didn’t show up, and they said you opted to stay in”

Alex still didn’t reply as she watched him, her bottom lip tucking into her teeth as she started to gnaw on it. This wasn’t happening; her ex’s best friend was here confessing his love for her in her apartment.

“I know it’s going to be awkward since Trace obviously isn’t going anywhere but please” he begged “please give me a chance”

Alex looked at Justin again watching him as me moved from foot to foot his tongue reaching out to run over his bottom lip for the millionth time.

“Please give me a chance” he repeated, “I know this sounds crazy but I love you”

She shook her head; it was too early for him to be throwing that word around. It wasn’t a word Alex took lightly; when she loved someone she gave them her heart.

“Justin, don’t say something you don’t mean” Alex started.

“I mean it!” he said making his way towards her causing Alex to back up.

Her back pressed against the hallway wall. He stood in front of her, his hands moving to rest on her shoulders as they faced each other. Alex looked up into his eyes again, no one had ever done this to her before, she was flattered but still, Justin had been drinking. He may not feel this way in the morning when the booze wore off.

“If you really love me, and this isn’t some alcoholic stunt then you need to do something for me” Alex began to explain.

Justin looked at her, his face moving towards her. Alex reached up to touch his cheek to stop his movements.

“Not that” she whispered.

“I’ll do anything” He proclaimed.

Alex practically melted; she leaned forward to kiss his lips lightly. She could feel him lean forward trying to deepen the kiss but she broke it.

“Prove to me this isn’t the booze talking” she started “I want you to meet me next week, at the Borders on 5th”

Justin opened his mouth to speak but she stopped him putting a finger to his lips.

“You have one week to either change your mind or be true to what you’re saying to me right now” she continued, “If you change your mind, jus don’t show I’ll get the hint”

He shook his head furiously, “I’m going, you’ll see” he said.

Alex nodded, “I’ll be in the lounge on the top floor at 3” she said, “Okay?”

He nodded, “I’ll be there, I promise” he said.

Alex shook her head, “Don’t make promises you can’t keep Justin” she said,

He watched me again, and he leaned down capturing her lips with his own as his hands went from her shoulders to her cheeks holding her in place.

He broke the kiss, “I’ll be there” he said again, determination in his voice.

A few minutes later after much convincing Justin left, promising to meet Alex a week from today at Borders on 5th a 3’oclock in the afternoon.

-*-

That day has been playing over in Alexis’ head since it happened. Justin coming out and confessing his love for her was something she never would have guessed would happen to her.

She waited up for the girls to come home and told them about what had just happened to her. Both were blown away and excited for their friend, but still thought it was random and maybe alcohol driven.

Both advised her to go, to wait and see if he would show up, this could be something more.

So today was the day, Alex had cleared her schedule. She got up that morning had some breakfast with the roommates and stayed home finishing some homework before getting ready.

She stood in front of her full length mirror, her brown wavy hair down to her shoulders and she bundled up in a red sweater and a dark pair of denim jeans. This was it, she was either going to be disappointed or very very happy.

She licked her lips as she scanned her appearance once more before picking up her black purse and making her way down the hallway. Megan and Carley were in the living room fighting over the remote when Alexis stepped out.

They both looked up at her as she walked in, their conversation stopping.

“You get him girl” Megan said standing up and walking towards her.

Alexis smiled as she hugged her friend tightly, “You guys don’t think I’m making a fool out of myself do you?” she questioned.

Carley shook her head as she stood up to stand next to Megan, “He’ll be there” she said confident, “he knows what will happen if he’s not”

The three girls laughed before Alexis hugged them both again.

“I better get going” she said, and started to make her way to the doorway.

“Good luck!” they both said as she waved to them and walked out the door.

-*-

Alexis settled in one of the comfy lounge chairs with her lap top and an empty word document open. She wanted to stay as calm and possible incase this didn’t happen and she was left sitting here looking like an idiot. She was going to attempt to write something again, she had been trying all week but nothing was flowing.

She loved to write, when she got into the mood she could sit and write for hours it helped her, it was therapeutic for her. She began to type away, nothing in particular just things about her day. She hadn’t even realized that she had spent almost 45 minutes there typing until there were hands covering her eyes.

Her fingers stopped typing on the lap top and a smile crept on her lips. She reached up, putting her hands over those that were on her face, bringing them down off of her eyes as she tilted back to look up.

There he was, Justin. Standing there all smiles as he leaned down to kiss her lips lightly upside down.

“Sorry I’m late” he replied, “Does it count against me?”

It was then that Alexis looked at the clock on her lap top, it was almost 4. She turned and looked back up at him, and smiled.

“No” she smirked, “Jus don’t do it again”

He grinned again and leaned down to press his lips more firmly to hers.

The best kind of confession is sometimes unexpected.

-*- The End -*-
Chapter End Notes:
*&*Traci*&*
Comments? Questions? E-mail me at Spacey1141@hotmail.com

Completed
Sassy Spacey is the author of 20 other stories.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story