Sunset, Sunrise


Pt. 5


“Great. So much for leaving earlier,” Niki mumbled as she watched traffic crawl down Sunset.

“Hey. Don’t worry. This is nothing. Believe me.” Josh looked at her while waiting for the light to change. He put his hand over hers. “I’ll get you there in plenty of time.” He lifted her hand and kissed it just as traffic started to move again.

They drove in silence for a few blocks until Niki spotted the restaurant she went to a few times. “Hey, I’ve been there.” Josh glanced to the right spotting the colorful sign of The Rainbow Bar & Grill.

“When did you do there?”

“Back in February, during a girls’ weekend trip. Ashley and I ate there two nights in a row.” Niki told him about her long weekend trip as they rode through the busy streets of LA.

For once, she didn’t fall asleep. She was awake to see the first sign for LAX, stating that the airport was five miles away. Josh prepped for his airport goodbye by reaching for Niki’s small hand and intertwining his fingers with hers. He then brought their hands up to his lips planting a gentle kiss on the back of hers. A single tear fell from hers eyes as she watched him. Josh kept his eyes on the road as he swallowed the lump in his throat.

“Angel, I’m gonna miss you more than you will ever know. You have brought so much joy into my life. This past month that you’ve been here with me has helped my love grow stronger for you everyday.”

“Stop it. You’re gonna make me cry.” Niki looked out the window at a plane that was taking off.

“Well we can’t have that now can we?” Josh followed the short term parking signs.

“Where’re you going?”

“I’m parking the truck.” He turned into a parking space. Niki just stared at him. “What!?! You thought I was just gonna drop you off and keep going?”

“Umm…yeah.” Now she was confused.

“Umm…no.” He turned off the truck and unlocked the doors. “That would not be a proper send off.” He gave her a wink before getting out of the jeep. Before Niki could open her door, it was already open and a hand was there to help her out. “I’m not gonna be able to do this for a while.” She placed her hand in his and jumped to the ground. She wrapped her arms around his neck.

“I’m gonna miss you, Scotty.” Niki kissed him before he could respond to the new name. No one had ever called him that before. He was the first to break the kiss.

“I’m gonna miss you too, mama. Come on.” Josh walked her to the back of the jeep. “We better get going.” Together, they got Niki’s oversized suitcases out along with her favorite purple backpack and matching messenger bag that container her iBook, a birthday gift from Josh. He put the backpack on his back while she slung the other bag over her shoulder. They both grabbed a handle and made their way to the elevator holding hands.

“Where did Scotty come from?” Josh asked while waiting for the elevator.

“Huh?” Niki thought for a second. “Oh that. It slipped out. Sorry.”

“No it’s okay , baby. Actually, I like it. I like it a lot. Feel free to call me Scotty anytime.”

The elevator arrived to take them to the departure terminal. While they rode in silence, Niki prayed that the line was shorter that the one she stood in earlier that year. They finally made their way to the curbside check-in. Niki let out at sigh of relief.

“What was that for?”

“Take a look, Scotty. The line’s not long,” she sang. She heard a sad sound come from next to her. “Wha’s the matter?”

“I was hoping for a long line. That way I would have a least a few more minutes with you.”

She reached out and placed her hand on his cheek. “Aww, baby. You know I’ll be back soon.” A tear rolled down her own cheek. “You can come see me too. I won’t mind that.”

“Be careful what you say. I just might come a knockin’ at your door.” He rubbed her shoulders while they moved up in line. She leaned against him when she got restless.

“Next in line please!” came form the check-in desk.

“Well, I guess that me,” Niki softly said.

“Yeah, I guess so.” They both pulled the luggage to the counter.

“Ticket and ID please.”

“Here ya’ go.” Niki handed the items to the agent.

“And what about you, sir?”

“Sorry. Unfortunately, I’m only here for the curbside assistance. Just the little lady will be flying out today.” Niki looked up at him with a warm smile, but a sad look in her eye. “Hey, why so sad?”

“You ‘re all set, Ms. Thomas,” the agent said before Niki could answer Josh. “Is there anything else I can help you with?” Niki looked at her ticket.

“Yes. Just one question. Is this an aisle or window seat?”

“Oh…that’s a window seat. Is that alright?”

"Oh that’s perfect. Thank you,” she said with a smile.

“You’re welcome. Have a safe flight, Ms. Thomas.” The agent summoned the next person in line as Niki gave her a wave. Josh grabbed hold of her hand and kissed it to get her attention.

“Hey, you never answered my question. Why the sad face?” Niki adjusted the bag’s strap single handedly before finally giving him her answer.

“I don’t wanna go.”

“Whoa!!” Josh stopped them just before entering the airport. He turned Niki so that she was facing him. “Okay. Now back up and say that one more time. Not sure I heard you right.”

She took a deep breathe before looking him in the eye. “I said I don’t wanna go, but I…” She paused to wipe away a tear and to take hold of Josh’s hand. “But I know what I have to do first.”

“But…” Niki put her small index finger up to his lips.

“Shh…don’t worry. I’m going home for now. But I’m gonna do everything I can to get myself back here with you for good. I love you. You love me and together, we can make this,” she held up their laced hands. “Last for a long time.”

All Josh could do was stand there and look at her. “Oh. I’m sorry. You were gonna say something. Go ‘head. I’ll shut up now.”

“Well, I was, but after that the beautifully long unscripted speech, I forgot what I was gonna say.” He smiled. “Just kidding, but it was a beautiful speech, baby.”

“Thanks …I think.”

He walked her inside the building in silence. They stopped in front of the sign that read “TICKETED PASSENGERS ONLY BEYOND THIS POINT”.

“Well, I guess this is where we say our goodbyes.” Niki looked down at her feet.

“Nope. Not goodbye.” Josh took a finger to her chin and lifted her head up. This is see you later because I know I will. You were right. Yes, we can make this last a long time. I’m gonna do everything I can to make sure oh that. I love you too much to let you go now. The past three months, we could only love each other from a far, but not anymore.” Niki closed her eyes.

~Flashback~

JC spotted Niki while leaning over the railing in VIP. She was there with three of her friends just like she said she would be. From where he was standing, he saw her small frame in a strapless brown, form fitting dress. She looked amazing.

“Good Lord!” was all he could say. Lonnie heard him and came to see what was up. He followed JC’s gaze to the main floor.

“See something you like, C?”

“Yep. Brown strapless dress.” He never took his eyes off her. Lonnie spotted the woman that caught JC eye.

“Damn, C! What would Niki say if she knew you were up here drooling over someone else?” JC look at his friend and guard before speaking.

“Man, that is Niki. That’s my girt in that little brown dress.”

“Are you sure about that?” the guard looked a little harder. “That can’t be her.”

“Dude, I think I know what my girl looks like.” He looked back at Niki. She and her friends were heading towards the dance floor. “Come on. You can see for yourself.”

“I swear, every time I see her, she looks like a different person,” Lonnie said as he lead the way to the stairs.

“Come on. Let’s go to the dance floor,” Niki heard her friend shot over the loud music. Being the smallest in the group, another friend grabbed hold of her while trying to make their way through the thick crowd. Niki saw Lonnie coming towards her. That could only mean one thing. JC was very close. The closer Lonnie got to her the faster her heart beat. Finally, he as right in front of her, but she still didn’t see JC. Lonnie gave Niki a wink, and then looked over his shoulder as he walked by her. That’s when she saw JC for the first time. His right hand was planted in the middle of Lonnie’s back with a strong hand wrapped around his wrist.

“OMG!!! He looks…damn good,” Niki thought to herself. He had on a white bandana under his cocked hat, a white wife beater, and what looked like an army shirt with the sleeves cut off.

Somehow, he found her hand while giving anyone watching a super Velveeta smile. Niki gave her friend’s hand a gentle tug to signal for them to stop. JC had managed to slip a small note in her hand before being pulled away by Lonnie. Niki had no choice but to follow her friends to the edge of the dance floor. It was there she was able to read the note from JC. It read, “I’ll me you by the dance floor.”

Just as she stuffed the piece of paper into her small purse, she felt someone’s hands on her bare shoulders and a whisper in her ear, “You are the most beautiful woman here. Would you like to dance?” She turned to look up into two inviting seas of blue.

“Umm…not right now. I’m suppose to be meeting my boyfriend right here, but you’re more than welcome to keep me company.” Niki giggled inwardly at JC as he just stood there. She saw Lonnie laugh out loud behind him. “Oh! He’s right behind you. Excuse me,” she squealed as his jaw dropped further. She went around him and gave Lonnie the biggest hug she could.

“Hey, sweetie. You look beautiful.” He gave Niki a hug back. “You know I didn’t recognize you.”

“You never do.” She gave him a wink. She then turned to JC, “You’re in luck. He said you look harmless, so we can dance.”

“Gee thanks, Lonnie.”

~End of Flashback~


When Niki opened her eyes, Josh was still there. “You gonna be okay?” he asked. She nodded.

“Attention ATA passengers, flight 808 to Chicago will begin boarding…”

“That’s my flight., “ Niki sadly said as moisture filled her eyes. Josh rested his forehead against hers.

“Gonna miss you, angel,” he whispered softly to her. He leaned down further and brushed his lips against her soft skin before making his way to her lips. He probed her lips wit his tongue until they parted. Niki wrapped her arms around Josh’s neck as their lounge continued to dance together.

“Attention ATA passengers, this is you final boarding cal for flight 808. All passengers for flight 808, please make you way to gate B5 for boarding.”

Niki let got a soft moan as Josh nibbled on her lower lip. “Scotty, I have to go.” She pulled back a little. “I’ll miss my flight it I don’t.”

“Don’t wancha to go,” he pleaded between butterfly kisses.

“I have to,” she wiggled away from him. “But don’t worry, we have unfinished business to take care of when I get back.”

“And lots of it, mami.” He gave her a hug and one final kiss before grabbing her by the shoulders, spinning her around and pushing her toward the security checkpoint. Niki didn’t have time to protest. She made her way to security and placed all her belonging s on the conveyor belt. She looked back and saw Josh still standing there. He smiled and waved. She gave a sad smile and wave in return before walking to the metal detector.

“That your boyfriend?” the female TSA agent asked. Niki looked over her shoulder once again.

“Yeah,” she nodded. “I claim him.” Her lopsided smile appeared as she walked the through detector. She gathered her things quickly and ran to gate B5. She made it to the gate just in time. A flight attendant was preparing to close the door.

“I’m not to late am I?”

“No, ma’am. You still have about ten minutes before departure, but I was just about to close the door.”

“Thank you.” Niki handed over her ticket and made her way down the tunnel to the aircraft. Just as she stepped on the plane, her back left pocket started vibrating. She waited ‘til she was in her seat to check for a message. Seat 5A was waiting for her. Actually, the whole row was empty. She sat in her assigned window seat and pulled out her phone to check on her message.

“1 New Msg” it read. Niki opened her phone to read the message. “1 New Message From Josh”. She pressed the read button.

“I forgot to say I Love You.” That brought a smile on her face. She text him back, “You just did. LOL I love you too.” Niki sent another message, “Thank you for the best sunset and sunrise of my life.” “That’s just a taste of what’s yet to come. ;)” he replied.

“Ladies and gentleman, at this time, we ask that all electronic devices be turned off. This includes cd and mp3 players, video game systems, laptops, and cell phones. Thank you for your cooperation and for choosing ATA.”

Niki had time to send one last text. “I have to turn my phone off now, but know that I love you and will miss you until I see you again.” She keyed into her phone, but before she could send it, the phone began to vibrate. She had another message from Josh. “I love you, angel of mine. Have a safe flight and I’ll talk to you soon. :-*” She went back to the message she was keying in and pressed send. As the tears filled her eyes, she turned off the phone and got comfortable for her 4 hour flight home.

Josh walked back to his Jeep thinking about the woman he put on the plane. He thought about how he didn’t want to see her go and how he wished she had stayed with him in LA. He watched as plane after plane flew over him not knowing which one she was on. “God, I miss you already. Not sure how long I can handle not having you here with me. Come back to me soon if I don’t get to you first.” That was the message he left on Niki’s voicemail as he watched on last plane fly away before driving back to his home in the Hills.

Completed
Covergirl is the author of 6 other stories.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story