Changing times by angel_from_africa



Summary: JC loved her with all his heart, then he left for six years and when he came back things had changed, but were they better or worse?
Rating: PG-13
Categories: Long Stories
Characters: JC Chasez
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: adult language, sexual situations
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 01/12/06
Updated: 01/12/06


Changing times by angel_from_africa
Chapter 1: Chapter One
Author's Notes:

Chris looked around him, none of the guys knew what he was thinking. They never really seemed to care what he wanted, or for that matter needed. He sighed, this was how things were going to be and he couldn't change them. He had felt this way for a very long time, he had tried to talk to Johnny about his feelings but they had been shot down like ducks. He was told that his feelings were just that, feelings and they had no real evidence behind them. That was the thing Chris couldn't understand, of course there was evidence! Everyday when they were at work there was evidence, you would have to have been blind not to see it.
Chris found his thoughts being interrupted by a very distinct humming. He looked in the direction that it was coming from and frowned, he should have guessed Mr. Creative JC humming one of his God awful ideas again. Chris rolled his eyes and wondered why he even bothered staying. Because, the voice said to him, for one you started this bloody circus and second you're staying because you have to. Chris sighed, it was true, what with all of Lance's bloody ferrets roaming the studio and Justin and Joey acting like monkeys. If he wasn't here the whole lot of them would end up in an insane asylum.
People had always said Chris was the crazy, psycho one. He may of acted like it, but sometimes he felt he was the only one with any sense. He looked around him at each of the guys. BEEP! BEEP! Chris and all the other guys stopped what they were doing.
"God damit Chris, you just ruined my perfect melody," JC snapped at him. Chris looked at JC confused how could he have ruined JC's perfect "melody"?
"The phone man, it's your phone," Justin said answering Chris' unasked question.
"Um, thanks," Chris said fumbling through his pack to get the phone. He found it and as he did so he heard JC giving a very annoyed "Humph!" in his direction. Chris rolled his eyes and checked his phone. There was a message. HEY IM BORED!! WAT U BOYS UP TO? NOT GETTING INTO ANY TROUBLE I HOPE. HEHE. It was from Lana, Chris' best friend but they were more like brother and sister. He smiled, it was nice to know that at least someone cared about him. He dialed her number.
After a few calls she picked up. "Hello?" she asked from the other end.
"Hey girly it's me," Chris said, he leaned back relaxing a bit more.
"Oh hi, sorry didn't see the caller ID. Have to still figure that out. So you got my text I suppose?" Lana asked.
"Yeah," Chris said nodding.
"Well, you know I was just checking in, making sure my boys weren't getting up to any mischief," she said and Chris could feel the smirk in her words.
Chris looked around him, "Well if you call JC humming the most ANNOYING tune in the world, mischief, then yes we are." Chris stole a look at JC, who looked up at him and gave him a dirty look. "Yeah, I'm telling your woman how naughty you're being," Chris said in answer to JC's look and rolled his eyes, he could hear Lana snicker in the background.
"Chris, I hope you and Joshua aren't fighting again," Lana said and she sighed. Chris knew what she meant, JC and him had been fighting quite a lot recently.
"Well I can't help it," Chris said to her and he instantly knew what her response would be.
"Yes Chris you can, I told you all that stuff is in the past," she said with a tone of desperation in her voice as if she wanted to believe what she was saying herself.
Chris got up and walked to out of the room, just so he could get more privacy. He looked over to JC, as he did so and noticed him giving Chris in an evil look. "Well what if it happens again? You guys are fighting like cats and dogs recently," Chris said and sat down on one of the sofas that just happened to be in the corridor.
Lana sighed, "Chris, it won't he loves me."
Chris sigh, "Yeah, I'm sure he does." He peered over back into the room at JC, who was still humming and vigorously writing down whatever crap he was thinking.
Lana sighed, "I'm not going to even bother. You two shouldn't be fighting it's bad for the group."
'Yeah well," Chris said. He knew what she said was true but, she didn't make it easy for them, she always put Chris in the middle of her fights with JC. Chris hated seeing JC hurt her over and over again.
"Oh shit," Lana said suddenly, and Chris heard a clang.
"What the fuck happened?" He asked her, trying not to laugh.
"I got to go, the boss is coming, and I just broke a glass filled with one of his other shitty mixtures," Lana said with a bit of panic in her voice, and he could hear her fumbling with the phone.
Chris shook his head and laughed at her, "Girl, you are too much. So are you coming tonight?"
"Um, yeah sure whatever," Lana replied, "Tell Joshua I love him, bye."
"Yeah sure, bye," Chris replied as the phone went dead. He was sure she had no clue what he had been talking about, she had a vague memory, and he would remind her again tonight.

JC looked up from what he was writing, as Chris entered the room and frowned, he wondered if Chris'd been telling Lana negative things about him as usual. Chris caught his look and shook his head at him.
"Don't worry, I wasn't telling her anything bad about you," Chris said, he had a bit a cynicism in his voice, and went to sit next to Justin.
"Yeah right," JC muttered under his breath and turned back to his song. He hated this, always fighting with Chris, but he felt there was no other choice. Chris liked to put his nose in where it was not wanted.
JC heard a sigh and looked back up, Justin was shaking his head. "What?" both him and Chris asked Justin.
Justin looked back and forth between the two of them, "Nothing, it's just that you two have been arguing like this for ages, it's getting kindda old."
"Yeah, and you're one to talk," JC said glaring at Justin.
Justin shot him a look, "What the fuck is that supposed to mean?"
JC looked at him, "You know very well what it means." He still hadn't forgiven Justin for the things that had gone on between them a year ago.
Justin looked at Chris confused, "What the fuck is he on?"
Chris looked at Justin, he very much doubted Justin didn't remember. "Last year?" was all Chris said.
"Ah," Justin replied remembering. "Yeah sorry man," he meekly looked at JC. He tried to give him a supportive smile, but JC just shot him down.
"Yeah whatever," JC said and started packing up his stuff. "I'm outta here," he grabbed his bag and began heading out the door.
"Dude, you can't go Johnny will kill ya if you do," Lance's voice came from somewhere behind a magazine.
"Yeah?" JC asked, he stopped in the doorway and looked at the rest of the guys, "so sue me." Then he turned and left without further explanation.
"Geeze, I wonder what his problem is," Lance's voice said again.
"Lana." Came the simultaneous reply from Justin, Joey and Chris.

Lana sat at her computer tapping on the desk. What the fuck was she supposed to write? She was confused. She sighed and took a sip of her wine. She had had the shittiest day at work today and to top it all of her best friend and boyfriend were fighting. She shook her head and looked at the clock, she knew she had to do something tonight but she couldn't remember what. She looked back at the computer screen, still blank.
Then, to interrupt her thoughts even more, the door bell rang. "Come in it's open!" she yelled still not taking her eyes of the screen. She took another sip of wine.
"Hey gorgeous," JC whispered in her ear. She smiled as he slipped an arm around her waist, and pulled her up. "What you writing?"
"Lord knows," she said as he kissed her neck, she could feel herself go weak, fuck this was dangerous.
He looked at the screen, "Are you even trying to write something?" he asked her.
She looked at him, "Do you really have to ask me that question?" He looked at her and smiled, she knew he was only teasing her.
"Not really," he replied and he kissed her. "But if nothing is coming to you any time soon..." She saw his eyes look in the direction of the bedroom.
She shook her head, "No, I have to get this done." She tried to sit back down, but he pulled her back up.
"Oh come on," he whispered in her ear.
She sighed, "Well maybe..."
"Good," he murmured and kissed her. She kissed him back and felt his hands run up and down her back. Damn, he always did this to her.

There was something wrong, and Lana knew it. She also had a vague idea of what it might be. She looked over to JC, who had fallen asleep. The dude really didn't get enough sleep. The way things had happened tonight just hadn't been right, not like they usually were. She sighed and sat up. She wished Chris and JC would get over their feud. She thought they should just let the past be, but she knew that Chris would never let it happen.
She felt a hand on her waist, "Hey baby." She smiled, JC knew how to make her smile like that.
She looked over her shoulder at him, "Hey." He smiled at her, and she saw his eyes twinkle, even though he was tired. She leaned over to him and kissed him. "I'm guessing the guys don't let you get enough sleep?" she asked as he yawned.
He shook his head, "Fuck no. Bloody idiots got me up at all sorts of hours recording for the next album." He looked at her and managed a smile. She felt bad for him, they were making him record something that even she knew would never get released. It was because Justin wanting to focus on his "acting", or rather his lack of acting skills.
"I'm sorry," she whispered in is ear and he put an arm around her.
"It's no problem. But man I wish Chris would stop giving me shit," JC said and she frowned. Fuck, not again.
She pulled away from him, "What do you mean?" she asked, although she knew the answer.
He looked at her and pulled himself up, "I think he has it in for me after what happened." Lana rolled her eyes, how typical of Chris. He was still making JC pay for what had happened between them.
"Well you know, he only does it because he wants to protect me," Lana said and moved closer to him.
He gave her a doubtful look, " yeah right." She sighed, she hated them acting like that towards each other.
"You guys should just give it a bloody break," she said getting up.
JC pulled her back, "You know how hard that is? Chris refuses to accept the fact that we came through, even though he knows how sorry I am." He looked away, and Lana saw a glimpse of sadness in his blue eyes.
Lana placed a hand on his knee, "Joshua, I'm sorry I'm putting you through this." She knew she was putting his and Chris' relationship at jeopardy, "but I can't help it if Chris wants to act the way he does."
JC looked at her, "Yeah you can, just tell him to back the fuck off. To keep his big, fat nose out of our business."
Lana felt a little bit of anger, she didn't like JC talking about Chris like that. "You know I can't tell him what to do." It was the only answer she could think of.
JC looked at her angrily, "That's what you always say." This was how their fights always started, Lana sighed. She knew JC wanted her to help him out but she felt it was his fight to sort out.
"Well, what else do you want me to say?" she asked him.
He looked at her, "We're only fighting because of you and you should at least have the decency to help out." She pulled away from him, she was getting more angry with him.
"I don't know why you keep telling me that. I have tried so many times to get you guys to see things eye to eye but you don't want to. Is that my fault?" She felt her voice rising. JC looked at her.
"You know that won't work. Chris is too bloody stuck up, always thinking he's right," JC said.
"Yeah? And what about you JC? You don't think that you are also acting as if you're always right?" Lana replied, she was very angry with him by now. JC always liked to blame Chris for things but never take the blame for himself, or so she felt.
"Baby, I don't know why you make it seem as if it's my entire fault," he said looking at her with shock. He hated when she called him JC, then he knew she was really mad at him.
Lana looked at him in disbelief. "It's your fault things have gotten to be like this," she said, "if you hadn't done what you did we wouldn't be here."
JC looked away, he knew what she said was right. "I know," he whispered. Lana looked at him, she knew he meant it. Just then the door bell rang and they both stopped.
"Fuck, who can that be?" Lana asked, although she had a funny feeling it was Chris.
"It's most probably Chris, wanting to know if you're with me," JC said. Lana looked at him, she could tell he was still angry. She rolled her eyes. JC looked at her, "Well shouldn't you get that? His highness is waiting." He had a bitterness in his voice.
Lana sighed and got dressed, there was no point arguing with him. Once she was dressed she looked at JC, "Are you coming?"
He looked at her, "What for? So he can tell me that I shouldn't be here?" Lana just shook her head at him, he was too bitter for her liking right now.
"Fine be like that," she sighed and was about to say something more when the door bell rang again.
JC looked at her, "Hurry up, he's waiting." Lana sighed and went to answer the door.

Chris knew from the minute he walked in that something was wrong. He had felt it, and even though JC was not in the room with them, Chris knew he was in the bedroom cursing him. Chris looked at Lana, his best friend and smiled at her, she looked very much distressed.
"What happened?" Chris asked her, and she looked at him.
"Nothing, everything's fine," she replied not wanting to give him any reason to go into the other room and beat up on JC.
Chris looked at her doubtfully, "Don't lie, I know something happened, you guys had a fight again didn't you?"
Lana sighed, that was the problem with Chris, he knew her too well. She nodded, "Yeah, but it was only a small one." Chris highly doubted that, usually Lana and JC's fights were huge.
He leaned over to her, "Lana what did he say?" Lana looked up at Chris and Chris knew he had pissed her off.
"He didn't say anything Chris. God, just lay off," she replied and looked away from him. Chris knew she hated it when he tried to get her to talk about her latest JC fight, but he knew he had to.
"No, I won't just lay off Lana. I'm your best friend, and I'm concerned for the way he treats you," Chris said and looked at her. Just at that moment JC decided to walk into the room.
"And how exactly am I treating her?" JC asked Chris, he walked over to Lana and kissed her. Chris looked at him.
"You just think you can walk back into her life and treat her anyways you please," Chris said glaring at JC, who was sitting next to Lana and had his arm around her.
JC looked back at his friend, "Yeah you always think you know everything right? How do you know she's not happy?" They were acting as if Lana wasn't in the room with them any more.
"Because I'm her best friend, and I can see it in the way she acts," Chris spat back. Their argument was rising.
"Oh really?" JC retorted, "Because you're doing a pretty shitty job." Chris fumed; how the fuck could JC say those things?
Lana looked at Chris and JC, "Will you two just shut up?" They looked at her in shock and she stood up, "I am so fed up with you guys always fighting like this."
"But Lana-" Chris began, but she put up her hand to stop him.
"No Chris, I don't want to hear it. You guys were friends long before you met me, and you shouldn't let me get in the way of your friendship," she said and began to leave. She really wasn't in the mood to hear them fight AGAIN.
JC put a hand on her arm to stop her, "Baby, you know we only do it because we love you." Lana looked at him doubtfully.
"Yeah well you aren't acting like it," she shot back. Chris and JC both looked at her.
"What do you want us to do?" Chris asked and sighed.
Lana looked at him; did he have to ask that question? "I want you guys to stop bickering," she said and without saying much else she picked up her keys and left. She really didn't want to be with two grown men who acted like children half the time.
After she had gone Chris looked at JC, "Look what you did."
JC looked at him, "What I did? You know not all of this is my fault, maybe you should learn that." He too got up and followed his girlfriend out the door. Chris looked after him in disbelief and shook his head. He couldn't believe what had just happened, how could JC say that? If JC hadn't been so selfish a few months ago, they wouldn't be arguing like this now.

A few days later Chris was sitting in a club with Lana, downing shots of vodka. Chris looked at her and she looked distant. "Hey," Chris said to her waving a hand in front of her face, "everything okay?"
Lana snapped out her trance and looked back at him, "Um yeah I guess." Was all she said, but Chris shook his head, something was up.
"Are you sure?" He asked, or rather yelled, over the music. Lana nodded a yes. Chris sighed, a sigh of relief.
"It's nothing Chris," Lana said, "Now can we order more drinks?" Chris nodded and smiled as he saw her snap so quickly out of her distancy. He turned around and ordered them another round. Lana smiled at him.
"What?" Chris asked her.
She nodded over his shoulder, "That," she said. Chris turned to look, and saw two very drunk guys TRYING to hit on strangers and he laughed.
"Justin and Joey, what you going to do with them eh?" he asked her and she nodded, trying not to laugh. Justin and Joey really did have the cheesiest pick up lines.
Lana smiled to herself and wondered what the two boys were saying. "I wonder what this week’s line is," she said to Chris and they both laughed. They understood each other’s humor so well. This was how it was with them, they understood each other, and it was good.
Chris looked at Lana, "So...” he began but she already knew what he was thinking.
She shook her head, 'I don’t know. He disappeared over an hour ago." Chris could see the look of panic in her eyes, and he silently hoped JC wasn't off doing something stupid.
He reached across the table, "Don't worry, everything will be fine." Lana looked at him doubtfully, but she knew Chris was most probably right. Even though Chris didn't support her and JC, he still tried to make her believe that JC was not going behind her back. Even though Chris himself didn't believe JC was as innocent as he made himself out to be. She sighed and as their drinks came she downed hers. She needed it Chris could tell, and he wasn't going to get involved with her drinking tonight.
After a while she looked at Chris, "I wonder where he is." She said this more to herself, but Chris in response took out his phone and dialed JC's number. He knew JC wouldn't like him calling, but someone had to find out where the fuck he was. Did it really take him an hour to get a beer? Chris shook his head as he hung up the phone.
"Sorry, he isn’t answering the phone," Chris said in response to Lana's look.
She shook her head, "Why the fuck does he always do this?" She asked, and looked around. She saw loads of people she knew, there was Lance talking to the bar tender. Joey and Justin were still trying to pick up girls, and there were the other few celebrities that she had meet over the past few years. However amongst all those familiar faces, not one of them matched JC's.
Chris shrugged; he didn't know how to respond. He wondered what he should tell her; just then the missing JC came and sat down with them.
"Hey," JC said kissing Lana, and Chris frowned. Where the fuck had he been? Lana looked at JC, and almost instantly forgot that he had been gone for an hour getting a beer.
"Hi," she said kissing him back. Chris shook his head, he couldn't take this.
"Where the fuck were you?" Chris asked JC, and Lana shot him a look which he ignored.
JC looked at him, "I was getting a drink." JC's answer was more of spite than anything else.
"Yeah, sure you were," Chris said picking up his drink and taking a sip. "It doesn't take an hour to get a drink buddy."
JC ignored Chris; he wasn’t in the mood of listening to his shit. "Hey baby, you want to get out of here?" He whispered in Lana's ear, and she smiled.
"Okay," she replied. JC smiled back and pulled her up; he looked at Chris, who gave him a dirty look.
"Yeah, that's the way to do it. Smooth her over with sex," Chris said to JC's look.
"Oh Chris, just shut up," Lana said. She didn't want them to start fighting and Chris instantly understood. "Let's go," she said to JC and he nodded.
As Lana led him away JC looked back at Chris, "Yeah just shut up Chris." Chris looked back at JC, who had given him a smug look. That dude was seriously doing something he wasn't supposed to be.

It was early the next morning and JC found himself back at the studios with the rest of the guys. He couldn't figure out what they were doing up so early recording, but he didn't argue.
"Man, I wish Johnny would hurry up so I can get to my next gig," Justin said as he paced the room angrily and the rest of the guys sighed. They were all fed up of Justin's "gig" or rather his newest acting adventure.
"Just shut up man, he'll be here," Chris said as he entered the room to catch Justin's last words and JC glared at him. He was still mad at Chris for the night before. There was a silence in the room as everyone sat around waiting for Johnny to arrive. Where was he? JC wondered and he yawned. He could be back in bed right now.
"What? Didn't get enough sleep last night?" Chris asked him as he noticed JC yawn. JC looked at Chris with remorse, and wondered if he should push more of Chris' buttons.
"No I didn't," JC decided to say, "I was busy." He didn't bother saying anything else, Chris understood what he meant. Chris threw him a dirty look.
"So what really happened last night?" Chris asked.
Justin nodded, "Yeah dude, where you disappear off to? You missed some serious action!" He jumped up and gave Joey a high five; they both did the monkey dance.
JC rolled his eyes, "I told you I went to get a drink." Chris looked at him; did he really believe that Chris would go for that story?
"Yeah, right." Chris replied.
"What man? What do you want me to say?" JC asked Chris in answer to the look. "As hard as it is for you to believe I wasn't doing anything that would hurt Lana. The line at the bar was so bloody long."
"Yeah man, sorry for that," Lance interrupted, "but the bartender, Jay, and I were having the most interesting conversation...”
"Yeah, that's nice Lance," Chris said interrupting Lance's fantasy about Jay the bartender. "Well Lance wasn't talking to Jay for that long."
JC shrugged, "Yeah well I also needed to go to the bathroom. You know how lines there can get." He seemed as if this answered everything. Chris sighed, what was the point? JC wasn't going to admit to anyone, especially not Chris, where he really was last night.
Chris looked doubtfully at JC. "Do you really expect me to believe any of your shit?" Chris asked, his voice rising and all the guys knew he was pissed.
JC shot Chris a look. "I don't give a fuck what you believe. All that matters is that Lana believes me," JC said.
"Yeah," Chris retorted, "so that you can continue lying to her." JC glared at Chris, he couldn't believe one of his oldest friends would say that to him.
"I don't know why you two are fighting again, but I don't want to hear it," Johnny's voice said, interrupting their fight. Both JC and Chris glared in the direction of the door. Johnny stood there giving them both a warning look. "Anyways, let's get this thing done so we can go on with our day shall we?" Everyone looked at him.
"You know," Chris said getting up, "I think that's a good idea Johnny." He looked over his shoulder at JC, knowing he was angering him even more.
Johnny smiled, "Okay then let's get to it." All the guys but JC got up. "JC, come on!" Johnny said, but JC just glared at Chris.
"Why? So we can have Chris telling us all what to do?" JC said, he was sick of having to go into the studio having Chris shoot down all his song ideas.
Johnny shook his head, "There is no way I am going to hear you two fight again."
"Well Johnny," Chris began, "last time, JC was the one telling everyone how we should sing HIS song." JC glared at him getting angrier by the minute.
"I wasn't telling anyone what to do, I was merely making suggestions!" JC snapped back, "after all I did write the song!"
"Yeah," Chris said, "You wrote it so you could sing the entire thing by yourself."
"Stop being so jealous," JC said maliciously, getting up, "It's not my fault you wished you were me."
This rubbed Chris the wrong way and he turned to face JC, "Who would want to be you? You're a lying, cheating asshole!"
"Yeah? Well at least I don't go around PRETENDING like I care about my best friend when all I want to do is sleep with her!" JC yelled back at Chris. Chris fumed, how the fuck could JC say that? JC knew that Chris and Lana were ore like brother and sister.
"I don't believe you can say that!" Chris yelled back, throwing a fist JC's way.
JC ducked to one side, "Yeah, well it's true." Chris glowered at him and moved forward, threatening JC with his fist.
"Okay! That is it! I have had it with you lot and your fighting!" Johnny yelled and both Chris and JC stopped in their tracks. "JC go with Joey, and Chris you go with Justin while I figure out how to sort out this mess." Johnny shook his head as they were both being pulled away from each other by Joey and Justin. Johnny pulled out his phone and decided the only way to solve this was to get to the root of the problem.

Lana was sleeping, or at least trying to, when her phone rang. She moaned and wondered who would be calling her so early. She rolled over and reached for the phone.
"Hello?" She asked, her voice full of sleepiness.
"Lana?" It was Johnny, Nsync's manager. Lana groaned she knew exactly why he was calling her.
"What happened this time?" she asked sitting up and rubbing her eyes.
Johnny sighed. "Well I came in this morning to hear them start a fight, then Chris tried to beat up JC," Johnny said.
Lana rolled her eyes, how typical. "What did JC say this time?" She yawned. There was a pause, and Lana knew the boys' fight had gotten to an extreme point. "Johnny?" Lana asked him, to make sure he was still there.
"Yes Lana, sorry," Johnny replied, "well you know JC was just insulting Chris and vice versa." Lana knew this wasn't the truth but she didn't bother saying so to Johnny.
"So you want me to come in?" Lana asked, although she didn't know why because the moment she did so she heard yelling in the background.
"Could you?" Johnny asked, she heard desperation in his voice.
She sighed, "Sure, I'll be there soon." And she got out of bed.
"Thanks Lana," Johnny said, "see you soon bye." And he hung up. Lana put the phone down and grabbed a pair of jeans from the cupboard. She tried to think of what JC had said to get Chris ticked off this time. She couldn't put her finger on it, but all she knew was that it had something to do with her or else Johnny wouldn't have called.

From the minute Lana walked into the studio, she wished she hadn't. She could hear the yelling a mile down the corridor. "Hey Lana, thanks for coming," Johnny said walking towards her and giving her an appreciative smile.
"No worries," she said and let Johnny lead her to the door where the argument was definitely coming from. "How long have they been at it?"
Johnny shrugged, "For a long time" he said, "but don't worry we got Lonnie and Dave in there to separate them." He added in answer to Lana's look. Lana sighed, thank God, if Dave and Lonnie weren't in there would be blood.
She nodded, "Okay let me go in there and talk to them."
Johnny nodded, "That would be a good idea." He pushed the door open so that Lana could step inside. She smiled appreciatively back at him and walked into the room.

"I can't believe you can say those things about Lana and me!" Chris yelled at JC. Lana walked into the room and saw Chris being restrained by Lonnie, it looked as if Chris wanted to MURDER JC.
"Yeah well-" JC began.
"Okay guys just stop it!" Lana had to yell so she could be heard, the guys stopped what they were doing and looked at her.
"Lana, I'm glad you're here now you can tell JC that I have no interest in sleeping with you," Chris said looking at her. Lana looked at them shocked, so that is why they were fighting.
She shook her head, "I'm not getting involved in your argument. You two are acting like five year old children."
"Well we wouldn't be if it weren't for Chris," JC said, his eyes flaming with anger. JC managed to squirm out of Dave's grip and walk towards Lana.
She gave him a doubtful look. "JC I doubt it was only Chris' fault," she said as JC hugged her. She glanced over at Chris who nodded in approval. She pulled away from JC and looked at Chris, "it's not like you're all innocent either," she told her best friend.
Chris looked at her, "I can't believe you're agreeing with him!" Chris told her in disbelief.
Lana shook her head, "I'm not agreeing with anybody. I just think the two of you should stop fighting all the time." She looked over to JC, who just looked away.
"You don't make it easy," Chris said, and managed to get loose from Lonnie's grip.
Lana sighed, "Fuck you two. Honestly, do I have to solve everything?" She asked, both the guys shook their heads at her.
"No, but you should at least tell Chris to keep his nose out of our lives," JC told her.
"JC, I have told you so many times, I can't tell Chris what to do. But it doesn't help with you acting all suspicious half the time," Lana said looking at her boyfriend.
JC glared at her, "I can't believe you're saying that. I told you I was sorry, I won't do it again."
Lana held up her hand to silence him, "I don't want to hear it." She looked at Chris who was smiling smugly. "And you," she said looking at Chris.
Chris wiped the smug look of his face, "What did I do?" he asked.
Lana place a hand on her hip, "You know very well what you did. Chris I come to you to ask you for ADVICE, that does not mean that you can go abuse JC when ever you find fitting!" She raised her voice when she said this and it shocked both her and Chris.
Chris looked at her, "I am only looking out for your best interests."
"I know Chris, but geez, you don't have to start fights with the guy!" Lana said, she looked at Chris who nodded apologetically. "Chris you are my best friend, you know that, but please don't give JC shit for stuff that happened in the past."
"All right, I'll try. But I'm not doing it for him, I'm doing it for you," Chris said and he smiled at her.
Lana smiled back and hugged Chris, "Thank you Chrissie."
Chris squirmed, she knew he hated her calling him that. "You're welcome, but stop calling me that."
She looked at Chris, "I will, now can I talk to JC alone?" Chris looked at her doubtfully but didn't say anything. He just nodded and left the room. Once Chris had left she turned her attention to JC, who was still upset with her. She glanced at Lonnie and Dave and they both knew it was their cue to leave and they followed Chris out the door. Lana walked up to JC and put her arms around him.
"Thanks for standing up to Chris for me," JC said after a few minutes. Lana looked at him.
"Yeah, well he had no right to act like that around you. I have been telling him that for ages," she paused, "but that doesn't mean that you should give him reason to be like that." JC sighed, Lana was right and he knew it.
"I know." Was all he said, and for Lana that was enough.

Chris was more calm now, a few days of not seeing JC had helped. And Lana had respected the fact that Chris did not want her to come around with JC in tow. Chris sighed and wondered if Lana would ever see JC for who he really was, most probably not, the girl was too in love with him.
JC had put Lana through shit three months ago, he had cheated on her with another woman. That woman had been one of the hottest stars in Hollywood. JC hadn't even cared that he had done anything to hurt Lana, and to top it all off she'd heard about it through a magazine, JC had being seeing this other woman for six months now. What had annoyed Chris the most though was that JC had continued seeing this other woman while he had come and try to talk to Lana. It had been devastating to Lana's ego. Chris had seen her go from the bubbly, lively woman he had known for three years to the miserable, male-hating one that he no longer knew. She had shut herself in the bathroom for days. Chris was the only person she had wanted to see, and he'd had to counsel her though hours of alcohol and tears. It had not been a nice time in their lives, trying to counsel Lana back to her old self.
Then one day they had gotten every thing sorted out, just like that. Lana was willing to forgive him, after all, she told Chris, and she loved him. Chris shook his head, sometimes he didn't understand the girl, but he supported her because she was like a younger sister to him. It had been said that JC's other woman had found out about Lana, and the dude had no where else to go so he went back to her and she, being the person that she was, forgave him.
Ah, Chris thought, that girl and her heart of gold. Lana always wanted to help people that was her downfall, she was too forgiving. Chris got up and walked over to the window, looking down on to the back yard. There was a barbeque going on to celebrate Lance's birthday, but he didn't feel like celebrating much. He scanned the lawn and saw Lana sitting in JC's arms, fuck that guy had something up his sleeve, Chris was sure of it.
Chris sighed and stepped back from the window as JC looked his way, he wondered if he should at least TRY make an appearance downstairs. He pondered the thought, maybe I should go I mean what if JC decides to disappear again? Chris thought of this, well it wouldn't do any harm right? After all he could just go down, wish Lance happy birthday and leave right?
Chris stood in the room trying to figure out what to do, just then his phone rang. He reached over aimlessly and picked it up. "Yes?" He asked and sat down on the bed.
"Chris are you coming down or are you going to continue staring at us from the window?" Lana's voice came from the other end. Chris winced, fuck she'd seen him.
Chris sighed, "So you saw me, eh?"
"Yes, WE did. Chris, just come down and have some fun," Lana said trying to convince him that it was safe to come out of his hiding place.
Chris shook his head, "Is JC still there?" Although why he asked the question he had no idea, he knew what her answer would be.
Lana sighed, "Yes he's still here. But Chris don't let that stop you, please come down? After all I need someone to make fun of Justin with!" Lana pleaded and Chris couldn't help but laugh. Yeah they had fun mocking Justin, or as Lana called him "Baldy".
"Fine I guess I could," Chris said.
"Thank you," Lana replied with a bit of satisfaction in her voice and she hung up. Chris sighed, fuck now he had to go and face JC.

JC looked up as Chris walked to him and Lana and he automatically tensed up. He did not want to talk to Chris, there was no way he was going to sit around and listen to Chris telling him what to do AGAIN.
"Hey baby, I have to go make a call," he whispered in Lana's ear, it was the only excuse he could come up with. Lana turned to face him.
"What now?" She asked, JC glanced in Chris' direction and Lana instantly knew why he had decided to leave. "Do you really have to go just because of Chris?" Lana asked him and JC nodded. She sighed, an okay and they both stood up.
JC looked at her and saw the look in her eyes, "Look I'm sorry but I really can't deal with him," JC explained. Lana nodded, that's what he ALWAYS said. JC pulled her to him and kissed her. "Don't worry, I'll make it up to you I promise."
"Fine," Lana said and pulled away from him, JC could tell she was upset. He tried to pull her to him but she refused, "Just go," she whispered.
"Baby don't be like this," JC said, looking at her.
Lana looked at him, "Be like what? All you want to do is leave every time Chris comes around. You know for once I would like to hang out with my best friend and boyfriend at the same time." JC felt sorry for her, he knew what he was doing was upsetting her but he REALLY didn't want to be near Chris right now. He sighed, he didn't no what else to say. Lana glared at him and he knew he should leave before they got into another fight and Chris beat up on him again.
"Well, I guess I'll be going," JC said and tried one last time to kiss her good bye but she kept a distance.
"Just go, and don't forget to tell Lance happy birthday," Lana said. She looked at him and JC nodded as he walked away to find Lance and tell him he was leaving.

"Hey girly," Chris said to Lana as he watched JC walk away,” where’s lover boy going?"
Lana looked at him with that "that's not funny" look. "He has some phone calls to make," she lied, she didn't want Chris to start lecturing her on JC's current behavior.
Chris knew what Lana said was a blatant lie, but he didn't say anything. "So," he said quickly changing the subject and grabbing a beer from one of the near-by coolers, "where's our friend Baldy?"
Lana laughed, Chris knew how to get her mind off JC. "Last time I saw, he was TRYING to convince everyone he could act," she said and they scanned the crowd for Justin's bald head.
"Hey Joey, where's your buddy Justin?" Chris asked Joey who was busy flipping the grill.
Joey looked up from what he was doing, "I don't know, and I don't CARE."
"Damn, someone's in a bad mood," Lana said taking a sip of her drink. Chris noticed that she was drinking something that did not look normal, he took it from her.
"What the fuck is this?" he asked smelling the concoction.
Lana grabbed it back from him, "Lance made it for me." Chris almost choked with laughter. Lance made someone a drink? Lana saw his reaction, "Actually it's very nice."
"I'm sure it is," Chris said once he'd composed himself and took a swig of his beer trying not to laugh. "Do you know what he put in it?" He asked her.
Lana rolled her eyes at him, "Of course! I do not drink anything I don't know!" She playfully hit Chris on the shoulder.
"Okay then, what is in your oh-so wonderful drink then?" Chris asked, this he had to hear.
She paused and Chris knew she had no idea. Lana quickly caught on, "Well there is bubbly in it!" She said with a satisfied look.
"Ah, right that's all you need. Just a little bit of bubbly," Chris said smiling. Bubbly was Lana's word for Champagne, her and Lance's favorite drink.
Lana nodded, "Yes that is all I need, just a little bit of bubbly. Thank you very much." She sipped her drink and looked at Chris, "Well at least it's better than beer."
Chris looked at her, mocking a hurtful look, and cradled his beer, "Sssh! He'll hear you!" Lana laughed at him, they always teased each other about the drinks they drank. "I think he needs an apology!"
Lana shook her head, "I am not going to apologize to a beer bottle Chris. I'm not Joey."
"Well, if you were..' Chris began and Lana covered her ears.
"Oh please God, save me!" She laughed, she did not want to hear Chris saying how sexy Joey would look like as a woman.
Chris laughed at her and then noticed Lance walking their way, "Hey Lance what ya put in Lana's drink?"
Lance reached them, "Oh nothing much just some champers, vodka and cranberry juice, I think. Anyways where is JC off to? He just came up to me and said he had to leave." Lance looked at Lana.
"He had some stuff to do," Lana replied, she didn't think it was right to let Lance feel bad on his birthday just because Chris and JC couldn't get along.
"I thought you said he had some calls to make," Chris pointed out.
Lana nodded, "Yeah and that too." There was a pause, and Lana knew Chris wanted to say something, but she shook her head at him.
"Oh well," Lance said producing a bottle of bubbly from nowhere and sitting with them, "I guess it doesn't matter." Chris glanced at Lana and saw her reaction to Lance opening a bottle of champagne.
"I'll go get you two some glasses," he said getting up, just then he noticed JC's car still parked in the driveway.
Lance and Lana both shook their heads. "There's no need we'll just drink from the bottle," Lance said as he took a swig and passed the bottle to Lana. Chris winced, that was not a nice sight.
"No," he said shaking his head, "I think I'll go get you two some glasses." He would find any excuse to go talk to JC about their problem, and he began to walk away without waiting for Lana to argue.
Lana took a swig from the bottle and sighed. "What?" Lance asked her as she passed the bottle back to him.
Lana shook her head, "Nothing. It's just that.." She began, but Lance, being Lance, already knew what she was thinking.
Lance nodded, "Yeah, I figured."

JC sat in his car, he still hadn't left, although Lana thought he had. He sighed and leaned his head back on the seat, he knew that Chris and him fighting was upsetting Lana, but he couldn't help it. Chris always liked to come out of nowhere and start lecturing them on how to run their relationship, it wasn't like it was Chris' business anyways. JC looked at his watch, he knew he was going to be late for his next appointment, but that could wait. Right now he wanted to figure out a way to make Lana feel better.
JC opened his eyes and caught Chris walking towards his car. Oh fuck, he really did not want to have to talk to Chris. Chris noticed that JC had spotted him, and quickened his pace. Damn, JC thought, I better get the fuck outta here. He fumbled for his car keys and was about to turn on the car when Chris reached him.
"Hey, Jayce wait up," Chris said, and JC looked up from what he was doing.
JC sighed, "What the fuck is it now Chris?" Chris looked at JC and motioned for him to step out of the car. JC did so and walked around to Chris.
"We have to talk about this," Chris said and JC knew what he meant. JC nodded his agreement, it was as if Chris could read his mind.
"Yeah you're right," JC said, he realized that there was no point fighting about anything more with Chris. They may as well figure out what to do about the situation instead.
Chris placed a hand on his chin, "I think you should leave Lana." Great, that is what JC DIDN'T want to hear.
JC shook his head a no. "I don't think that-" he began but stopped.
"No JC, you don't get it. You being with her is slowly ruining not only her, but our friendship as well," Chris said, he didn't want to have to fall out with JC because of Lana. In these past few days Chris had realized that he had known JC too long to let this come between them, and the only way Chris could see of solving the problem was this.
JC sighed, fuck he couldn't believe that he could do so much damage. "I don't think she'll like that idea," JC tried to explain, and Chris shook his head. "How am I going to explain it to her?" JC asked.
"Don't worry about that I'll talk to her, just promise me you'll leave her alone," Chris said. JC looked at him in shock, had it gotten to that point? JC didn't want to have to leave Lana, he had lost her once he wasn't going to do it again.
"Chris, as much as you care for her I care about her too. I'm just not ready to loose her again," JC said to Chris. He glanced at his friend hoping he would understand, but he saw a glare in Chris' eyes.
"Yeah, well you should have thought about that BEFORE you went and hurt her like you did. Do you know how much pain she was in after what happened?" Chris asked rather harshly.
JC shook his head, "No, but I have a feeling-"
"No, you have no feeling. She was ruined, I had to pull her up through shit. Then when you decided to come back to her that was the worst," Chris said, he really felt nothing for JC anymore. He had tried to tell him what he thought was best but JC didn't want to accept it.
"Chris, there must be another way," JC said but Chris shook his head. According to him there wasn't.
"I think you should just break it off with her, leave her alone," Chris repeated and JC nodded defeated.
"If I can't be with her, then I don't think I can continue with this friendship either," JC said and Chris looked at him, that was not the response he was expecting.
"What are you saying Jayce?" Chris asked. JC looked at him, did he really have to ask?
"Well," JC began "if I have to see you everyday that would be too hurtful for me, I would always think about her." He looked away from Chris.
"Man, it doesn't have to be that extreme," Chris said putting a hand on his friend's shoulder. JC backed away from Chris.
"Yes it does," JC said as he walked back to the driver's side of his car and climbed in.
"What are you saying man?" Chris asked, and prayed that it wasn't what he was thinking.
"I quit the group," JC said, and started his car. "You can explain it to the others yeah?" Chris nodded and stepped back as the car pulled away. Chris didn't know what to say, is this it had come to? JC quitting Nsync? As he stood there watching JC's black Escalade drive away, he didn't realize that that was the last time he or anyone else would see JC for the next six years.


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.nsyncfiction.net/archive/viewstory.php?sid=10858