Crazy/Beautiful by love_and_memories



Summary:

Previously known as: Come What May

 

Everyone has a skeleton or two buried deep in their closet, and Katelyn Kirkpatrick is no different. She's just better at hiding it than most people, due to years of practice.

However, when things become just a little too hard for her, she's going to rely on not only her famous older cousin, but one of his bandmates as well to find herself when she feels like all is lost.


Rating: PG-13 starstarstarstarstar
Categories: Long Stories
Characters: Chris Kirkpatrick, JC Chasez
Genres: Angst, Drama, Romance
Warnings: adult language
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 09/03/06
Updated: 09/16/06


Crazy/Beautiful by love_and_memories
Chapter 1: Prologue
Author's Notes:


Prologue

Pulling into the driveway of the quaint Pennsylvanian home, he couldn’t stop the smile on his face. He’d not been in the neighborhood since the Christmas before last, and while Florida had been home to him for quite a few years now, it was always nice to come back to his roots, especially for his grandmother’s birthday!

He threw the car into park and took a minute to just glance around at the old neighborhood. Things had changed quite a bit since his childhood, though many things had remained the same. The memories of all the time he spent here came flooding back to him, causing his smile to grow.

He pushed the rental car’s door open and stepped out, stretching his tired bones. He rounded the car, pausing at the trunk to lift out several bags, before using his elbow to close it once more. Staggering only slightly under the weight of his possessions, he made his way up the front walkway and steps, dropping the bags as he raised his hand to knock. Not waiting for an answer, he twisted the door knob and pushed the door open, poking his head in. “Hello?”

From above his head, he heard a loud thump followed by a quiet curse, eliciting a slight chuckle from him as he shook his head. He bent over, picking up his things as he stepped through the door, kicking it shut behind him. He could hear heavy footsteps upstairs and it was only seconds later that his cousin’s voice called out to him. “Chris?”

“The one and only!” Turning his gaze to the stairwell, he shook his head at the sight of her brightly colored feet. “How old are you again? Four?”

“Oh shut up and give me a hug!” She demanded as she raced down the stairs, her arms thrown wide open. Chuckling, he dropped his things once more and wrapped his arms around her slender waist, lifting her from her feet as he hugged her tightly.

“Ah,” he groaned as he set her back to her feet. “How’ve you been, kiddo?”

Tucking her brown locks behind her ear, she offered him a radiant smile. “I’m good,” she responded. “I’m so glad you’re here! Mom hinted that you were coming but she wouldn’t say for sure!”

“I wanted to surprise everyone,” he said with a grin. “Speaking of, where’s the birthday girl?” He asked.

“Oh, she’s not here yet. Aunt Carly is bringing her and Grampy when she comes.”

“Awesome,” he said with a nod. “You want to help me bring all this stuff upstairs?”

“That depends,” she said slyly, as she wiggled her eyebrows playfully. “You got anything for me in one of those bags?”

“Sure do, squirt,” he responded with a nod. “Help me take this crap upstairs and I’ll hook ya up with your present.”

“Kate, who’s—“

Turning at the sound of his Aunt Elisabeth’s voice, Chris offered her a bright smile as he threw his arms out. “I made it after all,” he said with a chuckle.

Wiping her hands on her dish towel, she crossed the room and wrapped her nephew in a hug. “It’s good to see you honey,” she said with a smile as she pulled away, looking him over from head to toe. “You’re looking good, Chris.”

“Thanks Aunt Beth,” he said with a smile. “Kate’s going to help me carry this stuff upstairs, and then I’ll be back down to give you a hand,” he offered.

“No, no,” she said with a wave of her hand. “Kate’s dad and I have everything under control,” she assured him. “You’re a guest here, so I expect you to relax, soldier!” She ordered with a laugh.

‘Yes ma’am!” He saluted, turning to his cousin. “Ready?”

“Yup,” she informed him with a smile. Bending at the waist, Kate lifted up one of his bag’s, groaning exaggeratedly under the weight. “Jeez! What have you got in here? Rocks?”

“Nah,” he said with a shake of his head as he grabbed the rest of his belongings. “I prefer bricks,” he said with a laugh.

“You’re such a spaz.”

“Says the girl with the brightly colored toe socks.”

“Well! It was cold, and they were the only pair that actually keep my feet warm.”

“Mmmhmm. Okay,” he said with a nod

“Oh… just be quiet!”

“Whatever you say, Kate. Whatever you saaay.”

~*~

Easing himself down on to the couch, Chris heaved a satisfied sigh. The day couldn’t have gone better, as far as he was concerned. He’d been surrounded by his family and had celebrated his grandmother’s birthday with her this year instead of over the phone.

“How’s it going?”

The voice startled him only slightly. He glanced up at Kate and offered her a smile. “Hey kiddo. It’s going good,” he said with a smile, patting the couch cushion beside him. “How’s it going with you?”

“Eh, I’m still alive, aren’t I?” she joked, though immediately cringed at the look on his face.

“That’s not funny, Katelyn. Not funny at all!”

“I’m sorry!” She apologized. “I’m sorry. It was a stupid joke,” she said.

“Apology accepted,” he responded curtly. “I don’t want to hear you saying things like that again.”

“I’m sorry,” she repeated, before forcing a smile. “I’m really glad you came today, Chris. I don’t get to see you enough.”

“I know baby,” he agreed, wrapping an arm around her shoulder. “I wish I could be around more, I do. But things are just so busy with the guys and—“

“Hey,” she chided. “Don’t do that, okay? You don’t have any reason to be sorry, and you don’t need to justify yourself. I wasn’t commenting to make you feel bad.”

“I know that,” he said with a nod. “I just feel bad because with everything you—“

“Don’t, Chris. I don’t want to talk about that. This has been a good day, and I don’t want to ruin it,” she said, forcing another smile.

He looked over her face and nodded. “Alright,” he said. “But you’re doing okay? For real?”

“I’m fine,” she assured him with a nod. “I’m doing pretty good now. For real,” she added, giving him a smile. “I’m doing good.”

“I’m glad to hear it honey,” he said with a smile as he pressed a gentle kiss to the top of her head.

“You know what would make me feel even better though?”

“What’s that, honey?”

“If you’d go get me a bowl of chocolate ice cream,” she responded with a grin.

Offering her a lazy smile, he pushed himself to his feet, ruffling her hair playfully. “You’re somethin’ else, Kate,” he said with a laugh as he shook his head. “One bowl of chocolate ice cream, comin’ right up.”

“And don’t forget the sprinkles!”

~*~

Sliding into the chair at the kitchen table, Chris offered Aunt Beth a sleepy smile. “G’morning Aunt Beth,” he greeted.

“Morning honey,” she responded as she moved to the coffee pot. “Can I get you a cup of coffee?” She offered.

“Nah, I’m good,” he declined, stretching ever so slightly as he attempted to stifle a yawn. “Kate still in bed?”

“You know it,” she said with a laugh, shaking her head. “I swear, that girl would sleep the whole day away if her dad and I allowed her to.”

“Speaking of,” Chris said, glancing around. “Where’s Uncle George?”

“He had to run a couple of errands this morning,” Aunt Beth responded. “He shouldn’t be gone too awfully long though. Are you sure you don’t want coffee? How about some juice?”

“I’m good,” he assured her. “I should really be upstairs getting all my crap together,” he said, snarling his nose as he shook his head. “I hate to leave so soon,” he said with a soft sigh.

Offering him a smile, Aunt Beth rounded the table and took a seat next to her nephew. “I know,” she said with a nod. “We hate to see you leave.”

“You think Kate would kick my ass if I woke her up?”

Laughing lightly, Aunt Beth shook her head. “I think she’d be angrier if you let her sleep and she missed out on spending some time with her favorite cousin.”

Deciding that she was probably right, Chris stood and pressed a kiss to Aunt Beth’s cheek. “I think you’re right,” he said with a nod. “I’ll go wake her up.” Heading out of the kitchen, Chris went on up the steps, humming an unknown melody to himself.

He paused at his cousin’s door and knocked lightly, waiting for any indication that she was awake. When he got none, he pushed the door open, peeking his head in.

Curled up in the middle of the bed, Kate had thrown the covers from her body sometime in the night. Tucked under her arm was the stuffed dog he’d purchased for her many years ago, and he couldn’t help the smile on his face. “A grown ass woman sleeping with a stuffed animal,” he mumbled with a laugh, shaking his head. “You’re one of a kind, Katie.”

He crossed the room quietly, kneeling down beside her bed. “Kaaaaate,” he called, shaking her gently. “Katie wake up,” he coaxed, smiling when his cousin forced her eyes open.

“Whaaaat?” She whined.

“Hey,” he grinned. “Are you going to wake up and see me before I have to leave?”

“You’re leaving today?” She asked, squinting at him.

“Yeah, I’ve got to be out of here in an hour.”

“Ugh,” she grunted, pushing herself up, smacking his arm. “Why didn’t you wake me up sooner?”

“I just woke up not long ago myself,” he assured her. He gave her a bright smile as he pushed himself to his feet. “You going to come keep me company while I get my stuff together?”

“Sure,” she agreed with a nod as she stifled a yawn. She climbed to her feet, tossing the stuffed animal into the center of the bed, blushing slightly when he snorted. “Not a word, Christopher.”

“I wouldn’t dream of it, Katelyn. I mean, it’s not funny at all that a twenty-four year old woman still sleeps with a stuffed animal. Not funny at all.”

“You’re just asking for an ass kicking, pal,” she warned, wagging her finger at him in warning. “Just keep it up”!

Laughing, Chris dropped an arm around her shoulder, bringing her into his side for a hug as he pressed a gentle kiss to the top of her head. “I’m going to miss you kiddo.”

“I’m going to miss you too Chris,” she responded, squeezing him tightly as they made their way down the hall. “I’m going to miss you too.”

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.nsyncfiction.net/archive/viewstory.php?sid=11207