Second Chances by nsyncs1girl



Summary: Justin is still in love with Emily, but what is Emily feeling?
Rating: PG-13 starstarstarhalf-star
Categories: Long Stories
Characters: Group
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: violence/death, adult language, sexual situations
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 06/08/04
Updated: 06/08/04


Second Chances by nsyncs1girl
Chapter 1: One
Author's Notes:

Justin rolled over and looked at the glowing, red display on the alarm clock. Seeing that it was 2:00 in the morning, he cursed under his breath and picked up the receiver.

"Hello?" he answered groggily. "What? Yeah, no, don't worry. I'll be right over."

He then hung up the phone and reached over to turn on the light that was sitting on his nightstand. He cringed as the bulb flickered on, simultaneously rubbing his eyes to wake himself up. He got out of bed and quickly put on a pair of jeans and a FuMan Skeeto t-shirt. Then, grabbing his keys, sunglasses, and a hat he headed out of the door.

When he got to Emilys house, Justin didn't go right up to the door. He turned the car off, pulled the keys out of the ignition, and sat for a moment before getting out of his SUV.

Just after he shut the car door, the porch light blinked on, basking him in the pale, yellow glow.

"Hey Justin, sorry to wake you up," a voice said as the door swung open.

"It's okay, Em. Where is he?" he asked.

"In his room," she informed him. "He was crying and said he wanted you to come over and that was the only way he'd go back to sleep."

"That's my boy." Justin said sarcastically, stepping in the door and walking to his son's bedroom.

"Daddy!" the two-year-old exclaimed.

"Hey, Danny. What's wrong, buddy?" Justin asked, sitting down on the bed.

"Bad dweam." he pouted.

"What was it about?"

"You go bye. No wuv me." Justin turned to look at Emily. She shrugged sleepily, and ran her fingers through her shoulder-length red hair.

"I love you more than anything, little man! Don't ever forget that, okay?"

"Okay, Daddy."

"Okay." Justin confirmed.

"Daddy, seep in my bedwoom?" Danny looked up at Justin with big, round, blue eyes.

"Ask your mom."

"Daddy seep in my bedwoom? Peeeeease?"

"Honey, your Daddy has to go home."

"Emily, its really no problem." Justin said.

Finally she agreed. "Fine, he can stay."

"I'll be right back, buddy." Justin stood up and motioned for Emily to follow him so they could talk.

Walking into the kitchen, Emily started the "conversation".

"Why are you doing this?!?" she demanded.

"Doing what?" Justin played it off as he opened the refrigerator to get something to eat.

"Ha! Justin, don't try pulling that innocent crap with me. I won't fall for that again!" she shot back, slamming the refrigerator door shut.

"What's really going on Em? What's wrong?" He could always see straight through her tough-girl attitude.

"I don't need this, Justin. I can't deal with it. Not now." She painfully fought back tears.

"Em, I need for us to talk. Give me that much. Please baby?" he calmly stroked her cheek with the pad of his thumb.

"Not tonight." She said, gently pushing him away her. And with that, she left the kitchen and went up to her own bedroom, locking the door behind her.

____________________________________________________




Emily woke up the next morning to the sound of Justin and Danny talking.

"Daddy come back." The boy whispered.

"It's not that simple, Danny. I wish it was, but it isn't."

Emily quickly realized that she didn't want Justin to say anything more to Danny on that particular subject, so she decided to make an appearance.

"Hey Danny? Could you go get dressed, sweetie?" she asked.

"O.K. Mommy!" he then wobbled to his room on his two, chubby legs.

"Morning, Em." Justin greeted her.

"When are you leaving?" She got straight to the point as she poured herself some coffee.

"You're blunt." He mumbled.

"Well Justin you don't live here! Plus I'm sure your little slut-of-the-week is wondering where you are!" she hissed, taking a sip. Justin defensively jumped to his feet.

"O.K., let's get this straight, her name is Katrina. She's the only person I've been with since you! Plus if you'd listen to the radio, you'd know that we aren't together anymore!"

"Well, isn't that a shame!" she sarcastically spat.

"Gawd, Emily, why won't you pay attention?"

"To what???"

Just then, Danny padded into the kitchen, crying.

"Baby, what's wrong?" Emily asked, pulling her son close.

"You scweam cuz I bad? Stop. I be good." The boy sniffed.

"Danny, buddy, you're not bad. We love you more than anything. It's not your fault." Justin told him.

"Why you 'eave, Daddy?" he asked.

For the second time in 24 hours, Justin looked to Emily for help in answering Danny's questions.

But Emily wasn't going to help him this time, either. Instead, she gave him a withering look and loaded the dishwasher.

____________________________________________________

"So then what happened?" Chris questioned curiously.

"I spent the night." Justin replied.

"Dude!" Joey yelled excitedly.

"No. I stayed in Danny's room."

"Dude." Joey disappointedly said.

"Sorry man. That really sucks." Chris apologized.

"Don't worry about it. It's not your fault. I'm the one that screwed up, not you." Justin said.

"What are you gonna do, J?" JC spoke up.

"I don't know. I was gonna tell her how I feel, but it wasn't the right time. Not yet, anyways."

Suddenly, Wade's voice broke up the conversation. "C'mon, guys! Break's over!"

"Screw Wade!" Justin joked.

"Yeah, O.K." Wade said as a door burst open.

They all turned toward the sound, to see Melinda rushing over to Justin.

"What now, Chicken?" he asked.

"You have a phone call." She said, handing him his cell phone.

"Hello?" he asked.

"Hey, Justin." The voice said shakily.

"Emily? What's up? he was worried as he heard her fight back tears.

"My dad is sick. I have to fly out to L.A. to be with my family."

"I'm so sorry, Em."

"Yeah. So, I was wondering if you'd watch Danny while I'm gone. That is, unless you want to come with me." She sounded hopeful, yet sad.

"Umm, yeah sure. When are you leaving?"

"I really should go as soon as possible."

"O.K., well, let me go pack real quick and I'll be right over. Then we'll go to the airport and I'll see what I can work out with the airline."

"Alright. And Justin?"

"Yeah?"

"Thank you."

"No problem." Justin clicked his phone shut and slipped it into his pocket. He went to leave, but Melinda grabbed his shirt.

"Oooooh, no. Where are you going, Curly?" Melinda questioned.

"Emily's dad is sick. I'm going with her to Los Angeles." He stated.

"Not so fast, there, Bounce. We go on tour next, month." Wade reminded him.

"Justin you can't leave. Not now." Lance argued.

"Watch me." He said as he turned and went out the door.


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.nsyncfiction.net/archive/viewstory.php?sid=1882