You & Me (Against the World) by Shari



Summary: Two different worlds are forced together when Kayla and her mom comes to work for the Harless'. Kayla is adjusting quite well, besides a few set back.But Justin on the other hand his utterly confused by his home life and, the racist community in which they live and his growing feelings for Kayla.
Rating: PG-13 starstarstarstarstar
Categories: Long Stories
Characters: Justin Timberlake, Unknown
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 08/24/04
Updated: 03/12/06


You & Me (Against the World) by Shari
Chapter 1: Chapter 1
Author's Notes:

Disclaimer: This story is set in 1964 in a little town outside Alabama. The Supreme Court just prohibited segregation in publics faculties. Leaving some people in this rural community upset and confused. There are some racial comments in this story. (you are herby warned) This is also my first historic story so work with my if some of my wording and events are wrong.

~Shari

She hated that damn mirror; it was like every time she looked at herself, it was harder and harder for her to recognize herself. Her life had changed so much in the last three months it made her head spin just thinking about it. Putting her shoulder length hair into a bun, she finished buttoning up her long sleeve white shirt.

Knock! Knock!
“Kayla, the guests will be arriving in a few minutes, I need you out here as soon as possible ” says Mrs. Harless As she continued down the hall. Putting on a fake smile, Kayla slips on her black high-heeled shoes; with a sigh she opened the door, a presided down the hall.

After a few hours the whole house was crowded with friends and many of the town’s political socialites. After hanging up another six coats in the hall closet, Kayla walked back to the kitchen to find her mother slaving away in a kitchen which wasn’t her own, fixing prime rib, ham, turkey, potato salad, salads, fluffy rolls and collard greens. Not wanting to disturb her, Kayla walked
over to the cabinets, pulling out three more serving trays, and twelve champagne flutes. Wiping them down, she places them on the counter. Heading to the fridge she pulls out four bottles of Zinfandel that Mrs. Harless brought home earlier in the day.

Just as she finished fixing the veggie platters, Lynn walks in. “ Kayla what taking you so long? My guests are waiting” she says in an aggravated matter.

“ I’m finishing up now, I’ll be out shortly” replied Kayla as she places the dips on the tray. Nodding Lynn turned around to go back out, to join her guests. Ever since she became the head chairperson for charity events for the Social League. These parties were forever going on, most of the time two to three times a month. Luckily Kayla would start school soon, she was sure she’d cut back on the social galas.

While Kayla served the uppity white folk as she called them. Justin, Mrs. Harless’ son, entertained their snotty offspring. Changing the champagne tray to a tray of assorted soda and punches, Kayla walking out on to the patio where all the teenagers had gathered.

As Kayla served the teenagers scattered throughout the backyard, Justin and his entourage of giggling girls laughed at her. “ Is it just me or does she wear the same outfit every event,” said Rachel, the daughter of the president of the Social League.

“Yeah, she does. What’s with her messy hair, hasn’t she heard of a brush” joked Linda, the bank CEO’s daughter. Everyone laughs as they watch her drag tired body around ,continuing to make her rounds. Making her way back up the patio steps they all stiffed their giggles as she asked them if they’d like a drink.

“ What’s your name gal?” said Annie the preacher’s daughter, with an authentic Texas drawl.

“ My name is Kayla,” she answered softly, as the Justin finish passing out drinks to the girls. With a her head, she turns and walks back in the house. All the girls bust out in laughter again.

“ My name is Kayla” Rachel said imitating Kayla’s soft tone.

Inside Kayla stood at the island watching them, as they poke fun at her. She hated this; having to cater to the white folks needs as if they were helpless. She wished that she could go to sleep and wake up to find herself in her own room and this was all just a bad nightmare. “Kayla!” yelled her mother, Catherine.

“Yes, mama?” she said turning to face her mother, “ Go set the formal dinning room table and tell Mrs. Harless that dinner will be ready in ten minutes.” Handing her a ham biscuit as she left the kitchen.

Finishing the last place setting for the adults, she took the remaining plates and silverware to the next room, which was usual the den, which was changed into a dinning area for the teens. Setting the last plate down, Kayla was startled by Mrs. Harless herself. “Kayla do you know how long dinner will be?” she as more politely then before.

“Yes ma’am, it should be just about finish as we speak.” she said reassuring her as she looked over the lovely decorated table.

“Good, inform me at once after the table is set ” she said leaving the room.



The party started to lose it’s momentum after dinner as it always did, and as Mrs. Harless and Justin said goodnight to their guests. Kayla and Catherine started to clean up, “ I’m proud of you, you behaved very well tonight. You did the right thing by ignoring those ignorant children.” said Catherine as they cleared the formal dinning room table.

“ Thank you momma,” she said proud of herself, As she stacked the plates and headed into the kitchen with her mom following behind her with the silverware. As her mother cut on the faucet to prepare to wash the dishes.

“Well, Ladies I’d like to thank you all for your hard work, this evening tonight was a big success. And as promised you’ll both get a little something extra this week and both Saturday and Sunday off.” Lynn commended them proudly.

“Thank you ma’am and good night,” said Catherine in a tired, sluggish tone.

“ Night” replied Lynn as she left the room. Kayla turning to her mother who was now washing the dishes, “ Momma I’ll finish them, you go to bed” she said watching her mother struggling to keep her eyes open.

“Are you sure?” she asked her daughter. “Yes, ma’am I’m sure.” she said assuring her mother.

“Go to bed momma” she walking her towards the kitchen way. After watching her mother walk down the hall to her room, Kayla returned to the sink. While Justin sat on the back patio, watching all of this though the kitchen window.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.nsyncfiction.net/archive/viewstory.php?sid=3298