Sinking Companion by justified115



Summary: Laney was never a popular person. And her brother, Justin Timberlake, didn't help her situation. They had never been close, but when her parents died, she's forced to live with him in Orlando. What happens when a situation forces Laney to turn to her brother for help? What will he do? Will they make it out closer than ever? Or will they lose the only person they have left?
Rating: PG-13 starstarstarstarhalf-star
Categories: Long Stories
Characters: Group, Justin Timberlake
Genres: Drama
Warnings: adult language
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 08/26/04
Updated: 12/09/05


Sinking Companion by justified115
Chapter 1: Chapter 1
Author's Notes:

As the sun spilled over her bed, Laney Timberlake rolled around endlessly, not wanting to wake up. She groaned and pulled her pillow over her head, hoping to fall back asleep, but with the light shining through her window, it was hopeless.

She lay on her back, looking up at the ceiling deciding whether or not to officially “get up”. Of course she was awake, but she wanted to stay within the privacies of her bed. She didn’t want to have to get up and face the world once again. She was sick of it. She never got a day off, and she was always receiving the consequences.

“LANEY!” a voice yelled from downstairs.

“Oh lord. Do I ever get my peace?” she asked, looking up at the ceiling again, hoping God would hear her.

“LANEY!?!” the voice yelled louder.

“WHAT?” she yelled back.

“Hurry up. I’ve got to get to the studio soon. If you want a ride, you better get off your ass, and get dressed!”

“Fine. Ruin my time in bed. I didn’t know it was so hard to get some relaxation around here.” Laney replied, more to herself than anyone. She pushed the sheets off her body, and stepped into her blue slippers.

Once fully awake, she wadded across the carpet, and opened her closet.

“What to wear… what to wear?” she asked herself aloud. She skimmed the closet, before pulling out a worn pair of blue jeans, and a pink top. She slipped them on quickly, and made her way over to her dresser. She combed her hair briefly, before putting it into a ponytail. She grabbed her locket off the jewelry box, and slipped it around her neck. She wore the necklace everyday, vowing never to go a day without it. Her mother had given it to her on her 16th birthday. The last birthday she would ever spend with her daughter.

A couple months afterwards, Laney’s parents got into a car accident, and died instantly. It was a huge loss to Laney, because she was extremely close with her mother. Without any parents, Laney was forced to go live with her aunt and uncle. She had no grandparents, and her father had no siblings. Since Laney was so affected by loss, she became a wild child, dropping all of her grades, and risking her chance to even be accepted into college. With her aunt and uncle getting older, they couldn’t deal with her wild side, and she was then, a year after her parents died, she was forced to move in with her brother, Justin.

That’s right. Justin Timberlake. Laney had NEVER been close to her brother, and the only time she actually got a long with him, was at her parent’s funeral. She did it for her mother, because she knew that’s how she’d always wanted it to be. Justin, on the other hand, was closer to her father. They had always connected, and became more friends, than father and son. And of course, Justin being the perfect child had a close relationship with her mother as well. He was always being treated like a sweet, innocent young man, when Laney knew inside he was the same hormonal teenage boy as the kid down the street with porn under his bed. She definitely wouldn’t have been surprised if Justin was caught red-handed. But, since he did have an abnormal amount of talent, and incredible looks, he made the whole family follow him around the country so he could become famous. Since they had to move so much, Laney had never made friends that easily. When they finally did move back to Tennessee, Justin joined a group. A singing group that is. By the time they got famous in America, her parents had died.

Laney never did shed a tear, even through the 4 years that had past since their death. She believed that everything happened for a reason, and didn’t want to slouch around hoping they would come back when they never would. She had never been an emotional person, and wasn’t about to start. Now, at 20 years old, Laney was living with her 23 year old brother in Orlando. She had a small job at a local grocery store, but used it as her own money. Justin certainly didn’t need any, and she wasn’t about to be nice, and give him her hard earned cash.

As she walked down the stairs, she heard Justin shuffling around in the kitchen.

“Damn it!” he cried, as she turned the corner. She saw him holding his head in his hands, about ready to curse again.

“Holy shit that hurt. Argh!”

“Could you please not swear? I’d rather not hear you cursing every time you hurt yourself. Not only is it rude, but only dim-witted people swear.”

“Dim-witted? What in the hell kind of word is that?” Justin replied.

“It means unintelligent, less capable, STUPID.”

“Are you calling stupid? And what the hell? Millions of people swear. What the fuck is wrong with it?”

“Nothing. It just shows that you can’t find anything else smart enough to say except a word that was made up by some fat tub of lard, sitting on the couch, pissed because he couldn’t find the remote.” Laney said, grabbing an apple out of the fridge.

“You need a life. Quickly.” Justin responded, throwing her a look.

“Glad you noticed. Why don’t you start worrying about your own superstar, I wouldn’t be worried about me. You’re the one in a boyband.” Laney chuckled as she stepped outside the door.




“C’mon, JC pick the fuckin’ phone up!” Justin cursed.

“God doesn’t help people who swear.” Laney sang quietly. They were on their way, and Justin was trying to call JC, telling him he’d be a little late.

“Shut up, and stop bitching Laney. I’m not in a good mood.”

“Like you ever are?”

“When you’re not around, I’m in a fantastic mood.”

“Well, aren’t you quick today? Normally, I get a “shove it”, or a “Fuck you”, but today I get a “When you’re not around, I’m in a fantastic mood.” ” Laney answered, mocking his tone. He groaned loudly, and kept his eyes fixated on the road. He slowly pulled into the parking lot where Laney worked.

“Here we are. Bitches R Us. No wonder you work here.” Justin said, laughing at his joke.

“Ya know, that really wasn’t funny. I’d suggest making a joke people laugh at. It might raise your reputation a bit.” Laney replied, stepping out of the car.

“My reputation is just fine, thank you. At least I’ve got some friends to hang around with. You? All you’ve got is you, yourself, and… yourself.” Justin said, trying to make a joke, once again.

“Very funny. I even stifled a laugh there. A vast improvement. Thanks for your advice though. I’ll make sure to pass it on to the next slut that walks out of your bedroom door at 6 in the morning.” Laney replied, giving him an evil grin. He rolled his eyes, and began to pull away.

“Bye dear!” Laney yelled, in a sweet voice.

Her response? A middle finger from Justin.

“Wow. Impressive. His comeback actually almost insulted me.” Laney said to herself, making her way into the store.




Later That Night

Laney lay in her bed reading a book. The minutes ticked by as she read the same page over and over again. In the room next door, Justin was having some fun with another girl he had brought home that night. With all the screaming, and moaning, there was no way for Laney to even close her eyes.

Finally, after the clocked struck 2:30 AM, Laney furiously hopped out of bed, and threw her door open. She walked to the next door, and banged on it as hard as she could.

“WHAT!?!” she heard Justin yell from inside, obviously annoyed with whoever was at the door.

“I realize I’m interrupting something vastly important here, but I’m trying to sleep, and I can’t with your orgasm soundtrack playing. I’d really appreciate it you could turn it down a little, or keep your hormones to a minimum so I can at least relax.”

She turned around and headed back into hear room. No more than 2 minutes later, she heard Justin’s door click open and click shut. She recognized two pairs of feet heading down the stairs, and then she heard the front door slam. Thinking they both had left, she nuzzled into her pillow, happily closing her eyes.

But the noise of feet pounding up the stairs, interrupted her. Her door was thrown open, and her light was turned on. She rolled around and saw Justin with a less than pleased look on his face.

“What the hell was that about?”

“What was what about? “ Laney answered innocently.

“That! She left Laney! She left! Because she felt bad that you couldn’t sleep.” Justin yelled.

“Wow. A slut with a heart. Interesting. You should get more like her.” Laney replied, sarcastically.

“Oh shove it!” Justin replied.

“Well, I’m sorry. Normally I put up with all your little whores running around, but I hardly get any sleep as it is. And I know you don’t care, but I need sleep. You may be a heavy sleeper, but me? I can’t sleep if I hear a clock ticking. So would you PLEASE focus on someone but yourself!” Laney yelled, becoming upset.

“Well I wouldn’t be so self-centered if you weren’t such a bitch!”

“Well at least I’m not a player. I’d rather be sassy, and confident, than be a rude, obnoxious, player like YOU!”

“You? Confident? Give me a break. You’re about as confident as that chubby girl who lives down the street. You know? The one who always asks if she can help me with something? At least she’s polite. I’d rather have that fatso living in my house than you, any day!” he screamed.

“She’s not fat, Justin. She’s very nice, and maybe if you got to know your neighbors than you’d know that.”

“You know what? I’m about up to here with your smart ass comments, Laney. Sometimes I just wanna kick you out on the street.”

Laney, being taken aback by the comment, stumbled backwards. She always knew her and her brother weren’t that close, but she didn’t think he hated her that much.

“Then why don’t you!” she screeched. Justin, noticing that the comment had hurt her, backed away.

“Because you’re my sister, and I have a heart. I wouldn’t do that. If mom was still around, then I’d let her deal with you, but now that I have to take care of you, I’m thinking of mom.” He said.

“You don’t have to take care of me. I’m 20!”

“But you don’t have a high school diploma. So what the hell are you going to do?” Justin said. Laney, being fed up with the conversation, chose to end it.

“You’re right Justin. I have nothing in my life, so I’m living with you. Thank you for reminding me.” Laney answered back, getting back into her bed.

“No problem.” Justin said, turning around towards the hall.

“Fuck you!” Laney yelled, as he opened up his bedroom door.

“I love you too!” he yelled, before slamming the door shut, and making Laney wince.

And every girl in America wants to be close with Justin Timberlake, not even knowing the extent of that statement. He’s offensive, obnoxious, arrogant, and not the handsome young man every one thinks him to be. That’s one wrong assumption.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.nsyncfiction.net/archive/viewstory.php?sid=3330