Everything He Never Wanted by mourningnovember



Summary: Ella Tennyson is different. She's quirky and there's not a person on earth who could explain why she acts the way she acts, or does the things she does. But she doesn't care, because she's her own. Justin is completely caught up in stereotypes, every thing perfect and every thing pretty. But when he has the opportunities to try and figure out Ella, he finds himself more intrigued than he would like to admit. Will he catch the one girl whom no one else has managed to even run in the same race with? Will he try to understand the things about her that irritate, yet draw him to her? Will he succeed in establishing the fact that he can see outside of a box? Or will he simply end up locking Ella in a cage that she's afraid to get out of?
Rating: PG-13 starstarstarstarstar
Categories: Long Stories
Characters: Justin Timberlake
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 09/22/04
Updated: 10/05/06


Everything He Never Wanted by mourningnovember
Chapter 1: Chocolate and Toothpaste
Author's Notes:

Chapter One: Chocolate and Toothpaste

A loud yawn escaped the mouth of a young woman as she stretched a pair of pale arms high over her head. Smiling brightly as she passed a mirror, her movements paused and quickly stepped back around. With a raised eyebrow and mischievous glare, she moved in towards the panel of glass and breathed heavily. Counting the seconds in her mind, she slowly leaned in and shivered when the dark strands of hair tickled her bare shoulders. Getting closer towards the fog stained shape, she hesitated and then inhaled. It took her a moment to clarify the smell and she soon began sputtering coughs while walking towards the restroom, trying not to move any muscle in her mouth in fears of smelling the grotesque aroma she had breathed in only seconds earlier.

Tip toeing carefully onto the cold tile floor; Ella Tennyson peered cautiously into the bathroom before continuing her journey. Reaching the sink, her mouth still frozen in place, she grabbed her toothbrush in a hurry and within moments was contentedly brushing them. She winked at herself in a rhythm to the seconds she was counting in her head, “one eighty” she suddenly spat out loud, watching carefully as the glob of saliva mixed in with the running water. Sighing loudly, she smiled happily and licked the enamel of her teeth in order to feed off of the mint inspired freshness of her toothpaste.

Flipping off the light switch, Ella moved quickly throughout the small apartment, her feet padding loudly against the creaking floors. Entering the kitchen with an excited aura, Ella opened the refrigerator and soon frowned when she noticed the main item missing from the shelving. Bending down lazily, she reached inside the cold box and whimpered when her search for chocolate milk ended in defeat.

With a frustrated gesture, Ella turned her position Indian like and continued to search through the scantily stocked refrigerator. Various fruits and vegetables stared at her, but the sneer of her lips kept them from influencing her judgment. Suddenly, a dark wrapper caught her attention and Ella cackled evilly as she pulled the Hershey’s bar from the back of the box, “there is a God!” she said appreciatively, jumping up from her place on the ground and grabbing a can of Pepsi from on top of the counter.

Plopping down onto one of the two wooden stools sitting around an island, Ella took the chocolate from its wrapper and smiled as the candy was placed on top of her tongue. The pleading to gag was her first reaction when the sweetness hit her toothpaste breath, “Crap!” she said, slamming her hand on the table, “I knew I shouldn’t have brushed my teeth this soon, stupid magazine…” her mumbling continued to go unheard as she shook her head regretfully.

“Good morning, love” a thick English accent filled the room and Ella glanced up from her distaste and waved, “You look…angry”

Rolling her mascara stained green eyes, Ella shook her head and glanced towards her breakfast, “I brushed my teeth” she stated plainly, no more words needing to be said when the woman in front of her immediately stopped what she was doing.

“You what…?” Nicola Bridges questioned with disbelief, “it is seven in the morning - there is no way that you have brushed your teeth yet”. Nodding her head, Ella smiled brightly and exhaled. Nicola leaned in and sniffed the air cautiously, “oh my…it’s a miracle”

“I told you! I read in that stupid healthy living magazine of yours that you should brush your teeth every morning, the moment when you wake up! Apparently it prevents bad breath for the rest of the day” Ella scoffed, “I think it’s absolutely horrendous”

Bursting out into a fit of laughter, Nicola sighed and began peeling a banana, “I think that’s common sense, Ella…and you should probably read a little more of those magazines. What you’re eating is nasty”

Looking up from where she had been breaking off a chunk of melting chocolate, Ella narrowed her eyes and titled her head back, “I will never give up some kind of chocolate for breakfast. Its like…you drink you’re smoothie thing, and I eat chocolate. Same thing, except mine is much more satisfying”

Swallowing her food, Nicola shook her head stubbornly, “No way…hey, what time are you leaving?”

Glancing at the clock on the oven, Ella chewed her chocolate loudly and contemplated the question before turning back to Nicola and shrugging, “probably about seven thirty”

Nodding her head, Nicola looked warily at the Ella and sighed, “You really need to close your mouth when you eat. The fitting is at nine, will you make it?”

“Yeah, I’ll be there. There are a lot of shops that I want to visit today, but at least I’m not working so I can make my own schedule. Your not going to the studio today either are you?” Ella asked, chewing her food louder and opening her mouth wider as she deliberately stared innocently at Nicola.

Scrunching up her pale face, the blonde headed woman gave a disgusted sigh and turned towards the foyer, “your sick, Ella”

With a content smile, Ella pumped her fist in the air as she jumped excitedly off the stool, “my goal! It has finally been reached, but really, you going to dance?”

“No, we don’t start our rehearsals until tomorrow, so they let me get off free today, thank God. They usually tell me to shut up and deal with it, like a wedding is easy to plan” Nicola said with a scoff, “but I’m meeting Clay for dinner so I won’t be able to thrift shop with you”

Nodding, Ella sighed,” fine visit your little fiancée, hey! I know - you should invite him to go shopping with us someday! Oh gosh, can you imagine Clay shopping thrift - the horror!”

Giggling at her fiancée’s squeaky clean persona, Nicola swung her body around and placed a hand on her bony hip, “I’ll see you later. I’m leaving for work”

“Bye, darling” Ella voiced, blowing a kiss into the air before turning around to face her orange bedroom.

Passing by the same mirror that had earlier influenced her to brush her teeth, Ella stuck her tongue out at it and found an odd sense of satisfaction at its helplessness to defend itself. With a few more crude gestures to the piece of décor, Ella paused and glanced around in hopes that had Nicola had already left.

“Nice facial expressions there, Ellie” Nicola laughed, placing a pair of stylish sunglasses over her eyes as she continued to chuckle. Swinging her shaggy blonde bob around in her face, Nicola gave one last farewell before stepping confidently out into the hallway, her heels clicking loudly on the concrete floor as she pounded down the stairs.

Ella giggled and stepped into her bedroom, opening the curtain that hid her closet from the world and pulling out various items of clothing before nodding an approving glance at the array of various items on her bed. Casually stripping off her wife beater and boxers, Ella picked up a thin tee shirt and pulled it over her head and down onto her stomach. The time was clicking past her, but the feeling of pleasure that came with her lazy movements was too wonderful to second guess.

Minutes later, a yellow silk skirt fell loosely on Ella’s waist and ended slightly past her knees. A tight fitting pullover vest had covered the tee shirt and a pair of ballerina flats hugged her feet with comfort as she clasped her hands together in contentment. Staring into the mirror that hadn’t formerly offended her, Ella took her brunette hair out of its ponytail and pulled her fingers through its straight strands, letting the bangs fall carelessly past her eyebrows. Looking at the clock, she gathered the large tote bag that had been sitting on a nearby table and switched off all the lights in the apartment before heading towards the door.

Stepping outside of the confined space, Ella breathed in the air of the hallway and smiled happily to herself as she continued locking the bolts on her door. When that task was completed, her legs gave into their yearning to skip and she padded down the hall lightly, letting her shoes carry her with their dancer’s influence down a flight of stairs.

“Morning Paul” she said with a wink, her salutations aimed at the doorman who was already opening the glass door for her, “thank you”

“Good morning Miss Tennyson” he said with a mischievous tone in his voice.

“Its Ella for the eight hundredth and twenty-ninth time” Ella said with a groan, waving at him as her figure retreated down the sidewalk. The spring air ruffled her hair lightly and she spun in a circle quickly with her arms outstretched before merging into a small crowd of people. Her hellos were said to those whom she had been acquainted with and smiles were given to the people who she had not yet had the pleasure of meeting.

Breathing in the air and glancing around her, the world decorated according to the shade of her figuratively speaking rose colored glasses Ella continued to glide along the sidewalk, constantly whistling under her breath as she walked. She usually got odd and sometimes rude stares towards her displays of happiness. But she didn’t care. Why should she? People were allowed to be depressed ever day and walk around with sorry expressions on their faces, yet if she decided to smile at every person she came across “ she was dubbed a freak. Oh, how the world works.

“Morning Ella” a brightly dressed older woman said with a wink, “You’re earlier than usual”

Ella shrugged and sighed, “I know, I have to meet Nicola for a dress fitting, so I just had to come out early instead of having to miss thrift day! Tell me, Goldie, where’s the new stuff?” the excited expression on her face couldn’t be masked and the stylishly dressed gray headed woman came out from behind her counter and led Ella to a stack of cardboard boxes.

“A whole new collection of things, lots of trinkets, lots of clothes…I saw a few things I think you’ll really enjoy” Goldie smiled and with an outward appearance that matched her name, she slung a few more necklaces around her neck on the way back to the cash register and grinned as Ella curled up on the floor and began rustling through the many items.

“Goldie! This is brilliant” she remarked, holding up a black and white photo of a young couple strolling down what looked to be a deserted alley, “Its so happy and dark at the same time. Oh, I love it, I just absolutely love it! I’m buying it”

Goldie chuckled and failed to comment, she would go unheard anyway. Ella took shopping for the gallery seriously and with every item she uncovered, it would be thoroughly inspected with her knowing eyes, “this is a really good batch of stuff…I’m very impressed”

“Yes, I was excited to see quite a few things myself. Lots of hidden treasures in there” Goldie commented, wondering why Ella hadn’t stumbled upon the classic pieces of art. Instead all she held in her hands were emotional photographs, none of them done by an artist worth noting. Still she swore that every item was perfect and the look of amazement in her eyes proved the comments true.

“Oh, my day has just begun in such a good way…well besides for the whole tooth brushing thing. But than can be overlooked for all of this ecstasy! You just have no idea how excited I am!” Ella continued to ramble on, her energy opening up the dusty walls as she continuously tilted her head back in laughter at the absurd things coming from inside the boxes.

“I can see that” Goldie said with a shake of her head, “how you can be this energetic in the mornings is beyond me”

“It’s actually not that bad. The sun is shining, its warm outside and I am just entirely too happy to keep all my thoughts inside. Can you blame me, honestly?”

Goldie just chuckled, “not at all, Ella, not at all”

“It’s about time for me to depart from this castle and venture on, I have to get to Nicola’s side before she just dies of overactive nerves” Ella laughed, gathering her hair into a clip and piling it on top of her head before grabbing the entirely too large bag of pictures,” I think she may have to face death though because I cannot carry these works of art everywhere. I’m going to drop them off at the studio first. I hope Nicola doesn’t mind, oh what am I thinking, she wont! She’s Nicola, she knows me”

Goldie stood looking at Ella in bewilderment, “You are the most confusing person on this planet”

Ella paused and chewed on her lip, “Come on, is that logical, you haven’t met every one on the planet have you? If you have I’m just plain jealous” when Goldie groaned, Ella laughed and shrugged, “Oh, this day is just going to be wonderful. I can taste it!” Ella shivered and smiled to herself. It really was going to be a good day.

----------------------------------------------------

“Ella Marie Tennyson, I am going to kill you!” Nicola nearly screamed into the cell phone, “I told you to be here at nine, you are an HOUR late and I am going to put you’re head on a platter!”

Ella giggled to herself and rounded the corner, phone attached to her ear, “I’m sorry Nicola, I just, I won’t be there until at LEAST twelve thirty eight. I mean, as pretty as that bow looks in the back of that dress you’re holding looks, we both know its not our style. So put it down and walk towards the dresses we know you really want”

She watched amused as Nicola looked around her, “what dresses?”

“The ones to you’re right”

“Ella, those are too expensive and you know it. Clay’s family would have to give me a “ hey…where are you?” Nicola said with a gaping jaw, “Ella, show yourself NOW before I really get ticked”

“Oh, you came dangerously close to cussing there” Ella commented, stepping out from behind the corner and greeting Nicola with a peck on the cheek, “What would Clay think?”

“Shut up” Nicola said, her blonde hair swinging its way towards the dresses on the right, “You really like those dresses?”

“I absolutely adore them. It’s uncommon to find this color for a wedding, and those are gorgeous. Perfect” Ella said while eyeing the dresses, “The question is…how to pay? Hmmm…”


“Ella, I don’t want any of you’re money, so don’t even say it” Nicola protested, turning around to eye the hot pink dresses on the other side of her, “pink isn’t bad”

A loud whine escaped Ella’s lips and she rolled her eyes with disgust, “Nicola. Listen, I get paid next week, believe me, the check will be enough to buy all the dresses. Some big wig politic came in and bought my ENTIRE stock for his daughter. That’s worth it” Nicola gave a bored look and Ella bit her lip as a slight blush appeared on her cheeks, “and my dad sent an allowance”

“Ella, I have money. Not as much as I want to right now since my shows were cancelled…but it’ll make its way back around to me. Trust me…I don’t want you’re money” Nicola forced, her eyes blazing as she looked at Ella who was humming along to herself.

“Well, we can’t always get what we want, darling”

Nicola sighed, “The dresses are quite lovely aren’t they?” her fingertips grazed the black and white material and Ella smiled leisurely at Nicola’s expression.

“They are perfection…I can already see me wearing it…a beautiful green brooch attached to the neck…and a scarf, please let me wear a scarf”

“Clay’s parents want everything to be orderly. They came to the fu-reaking store with me” Nicola stopped herself mid-sentence and smiled angelically at Ella’s knowing look, “I didn’t say it!”

“But you came dangerously close…cleanse you’re aura, Nic…cleanse you’re aura” Ella burst out into laughter and tried to stop her shaking shoulders as Clay and his parents walked up beside them.

“Nicola, I found the most beautiful burgundy dresses, I really think you should take a look at them instead of what you’re fingering right now” the black-haired woman looked at the dresses and Ella swore saw the woman’s nose curl.

Nicola closed her eyes for a short second and when she opened them they sparkled with controversy, “Actually, my matron of honor and I have decided that these dresses will much more fit my taste. Thank you for the suggestions though, Mrs. Walker”

Ella smiled, “That’s my girl” she whispered under breath. She had a certain bittersweet feeling as she surveyed Nicola. Her best friend was moving on to a new aspect of life. She was throwing away her childhood and inviting adult decisions into her life. And then there was Clay…he was perfect for her. And maybe Ella was just a little bit jealous, because now, he would take on one of the most enchanting people in the world and she would be left with a half empty apartment.

Breaking out of her trance, Ella caught Nicola’s impatient eyes and shrugged, “I’m sorry, I didn’t hear you…what?”

“That lady over there is ready to take you’re measurements…what is with you today? You’re even more out of it than usual” Nicola said with a slight annoyance to her tone, “over there by the mirrors”

“Sorry” Ella inhaled and took large steps towards the saleswoman…it was going to be a long day. She could feel it. But for Nicola, a long day could be managed - but only for Nicola.

----------------------------------------------------

A six foot two frame leaned against the door, a male body shaking with laughter as he listened to the voice over the cell phone that he was holding against his ear, “dude…just shut up now, I’m laughing so hard I can’t even get my key in the hole”

Something equally funny was said because Justin Timberlake buckled over and set his duffle bag down, “And then what did you do?” He decided to put most of his concentration on opening his door and within seconds he was hit with a blast of cool air and the sound of a loud stereo, “that’s great…I’ll talk to you later though, man…just got in my place” The voice on the other end said its goodbye and Justin clicked his phone off. He surveyed the foyer of his rented apartment and nodded his head in approval. The interior designer he had hired while he was away did a fine job fixing up the penthouse that had formerly been painted a soft shade of pink that satisfied the customer before him.

New York City usually wasn’t a city he would have picked to reside in, but for a temporary stay it could be managed. A grueling schedule in the city would have caused him to stay in a hotel more nights than he would ever want to, so he had rented the apartment suite the second it came on the market. Four months wouldn’t be so bad. Plus, he had enough friends to keep him more than busy in the off times. But as for the next night he wouldn’t need friends to keep busy because he already had a scheduled event to attend with his mother. Some farewell ballet show in the city… shouldn’t be that big of a deal.

----------------------------------------------------


The Next Morning

Ella looked in the mirror with her eyes landing on Nicola’s concentrated face, “I think you should just wear you’re hair down and start a revolution”

Nicola, with bobby pins in her mouth and her hands in her hair grunted, “I’m sure everyone in the theatre would enjoy that. Wavy hair that hasn’t been brushed in two days”

“I can brush it!”

“I’m putting it in a bun, Ellie…not everything can be a revolution” Nicola spat, placing the last bobby pin on the top of her head. I’m off; please fix yourself up for tonight. I’m off to morning rehearsals and as you know I won’t be here all day. I’ll see you backstage, I have you’re pass on the table…please, whatever you do…don’t lose it. I don’t have the time to come make personal calls and you’re charm will not get you in” her last sentence carried her out the door, leaving Ella with a smirk on her face and her eyes in mid-roll.

“Please…am I irresponsible enough to forget that silly little plastic thing?”

----------------------------------------------------

Hours Later

“Um…Nic - where exactly did you leave that pass?” Ella kept her eyes grazing over the countertop, the array of magazines and stray papers distracting her from anything else.

“Ella, I left it on a clean counter. I know you’ve junked it up by now so just look around you, unless you wore it as a necklace today than it should be exactly where I left it. I don’t have the time to deal with you right now, I am so stressed out...all the bigwigs are arriving and we have to do some meet and greet type thing before the final makeup checks…so…I have to go. If you can’t find it, then…just go straight to you’re seat”

“Okay” Ella said, biting her tongue from asking questions, “I’ll keep on looking”

As soon as she hung up the phone, a flash of silver caught her eye and she removed the pile of mail that she had placed on the counter just that afternoon. A long string led her to the shiny plastic card that caught her attention, “See…I knew I could find it! It only took me twenty minutes!”

She walked over to the mirror and gave herself one last check before grabbing her keys and purse. It had taken her longer than she estimated to get dressed. An emerald green dress fit her figure loosely, flaring just before it hit her knees. She had added a tight black cardigan and pinned a gold brooch where she thought it looked best. Gold heels and a clutch later, she was ready to go. Her hair had been thrown into a messy ponytail and the pass to see Nicola was put her around her neck on the way out the door. Tonight was a big night and she was going to be there for her, even if she was a few minutes late.

----------------------------------------------------

“Ella, you’re late” Nicola said with a sigh and a glance at the clock on the wall, “I told you not to be late!”

“Nicola you’re so paranoid…the show doesn’t even start for an hour or so and you don’t come on until the first scene is over…so give peace to you’re darling mind and stop worrying about it” Ella was persuasive with her words and the cup of hot tea she offered to the ballerina star soothed the woman’s nerves with the first swallow.

“Thank you” Nicola said in a near whisper, her eyes closed as she enjoyed the serenity she was feeling.

“Are you nervous yet?” Ella asked with a knowing expression.

Nicola popped open her eyes and said nothing. Ella backed up and laughed, “Sorry I asked. But you know, when I was little person and I got nervous…I would lay on the carpet and put my hands under my stomach…like this” Ella put her purse on the table and bent down on her knees, trying not to knock over anything on the countertop as she lowered herself to the floor. The brunette strands of hair that hung in her face got caught in her mouth as she sputtered for air through her laughter, “See “ like this”

Looking at her friend with a dumbfounded face, Nicola shook her head and let a giggle escape her lips, “What are you doing? You’re going to wrinkle you’re dress!”

“But I made you laugh…and that’s worth it…I know you always feel better when you laugh” Ella brought her knees to her chest and smiled up at Nicola who was now busy working on her makeup.

“Yes...I do feel better…thank you, Ellie”

Ella nodded and rested her head back against the wall, “Oh, this is such an enchanting room!”

Nicola simply shook her head and continued getting ready. That girl was one in a million.

----------------------------------------------------

“Justin, thank you so much for flying me here. I wanted to see this all while it was showing, but I didn’t want to come alone and you were busy touring” Lynn Harless looked at her son who had decked himself out in a suit and smiled, “You look very handsome”

“Thanks mom. You look beautiful” Justin smiled and took her hand as they stepped out of the limousine. Knowing the show would draw celebrities, it seemed as if a million camera flashes went off and Justin immediately prepared himself with laughter and enthusiastic waves.

Lynn watched her son and a bittersweet smile found itself on her features. She knew he loved this, but he was tired and a part of her felt guilty for even thinking he could attend this thing without all the fuss. If he knew she was second guessing all of this, he would roll his eyes and tell her to stop being a worrywart…but…still, he was her child and he was in her care. She wanted him to be happy.

“Mom, I got us some backstage passes so you can meet the cast. We don’t have to go back there if its something you would rather not do, but I got them just in case you might want to check it out” he handed her a flashy card and didn’t miss the excitement on her face, “you do” he stated with a grin, “that’s good, cause so did I”

Lynn laughed and grabbed his arm with her free hand, “I’ve met Michael Jackson…tell me again why I’m so nervous about meeting ballerinas?”

“Because when you were a little girl, you told yourself you wanted to be a ballerina…it was you’re dream and it never left you…so it just brings back memories” Justin explained to her, leading them down a corridor that was strictly held with high security.

“Son, you have wisdom beyond you’re years” Lynn said with a wink, an excited expression still glued to her face as they approached a door that Justin immediately began knocking on.

----------------------------------------------------

“Someone’s knocking on the door” Ella stated, the rapping against wood echoing through the small dressing room.

Putting the finishing touches on her costume, Nicola gave Ella a look and when silence came back to her she sighed, “Do you mind getting it or do you want me to show my skin to any old Joe that comes in?”

Ella jumped up from her place on the ground and didn’t bother to straighten her clothing before mumbling a few words and opening the door to just a crack, “may I ask who’s calling upon Nicola Bridges?” her lips formed themselves into thin lines as she flattened them against her teeth and smiled.

“Um…Justin Timberlake and Lynn Harless” the man behind the door said, causing Ella to nod and stroke her hair with a free hand.

“Hold on just a moment, Mr. and Mrs. Timberlake Harless” Ella said, shutting the door and turning to Nicola, “do you want to let them in?”

Nicola just stood there with wide eyes and a sorry face, “Ella! Of course I do, why you do things like this! Open the door this instant” though her voice was full of fury, she kept her volume to a whisper as she looked at Ella like she was an infant.

“Okay then…” Ella swung the door open wide and put a smile on her face, “come in, come in!” she said exuberantly, catching them by surprise since they seemed to be in a deep conversation.

The woman was the first to gain her composure and with a bright smile she put her hand out to Ella and shook it with a friendly essence about her, “Hello there. I’m Lynn Harless and I am so sorry for interrupting the two of you before the show”

“It’s quite alright” Nicola said, appearing from behind a curtain with her costume and makeup fully on.

Ella could tell the woman was immediately taken into conversation with Nicola about ballet and noticing a lack of persons; she turned to the door and surveyed the man who was now on his phone. He looked slightly irked - like…he needed a smile. Shutting the door to a crack, Ella tip toed into the hallway and tapped him on the shoulder. He turned around to face her and she was shocked to be met with a pair of magnificent, but moody pair of ocean blue eyes, “Excuse me, sir…can I see you’re phone?”

He looked at her with an odd expression, “Um…I’m on it right now…but I’ll be through in a minute if you need to use it”

“I don’t need to use it, I have my own. I just want to see you’re phone, please?” Sticking out her lower lip, Ella reached her arm out and without knowing what to do, Justin placed the phone in her hand, she grabbed it and put it to her ear, “Hello there” she waited until the person on the other line realized they were no longer talking to a guy and she went on, “I’m afraid to inform you that you’re friend is in the process of meeting the most brilliant ballerina in the world and you are ruining the moment by calling him at an inopportune time”

Ella paused and then sighed with a disappointed air, “he called you? Well then…that’s just not acceptable is it” the clicking of her tongue made an annoying noise in the hallway and she finally stopped when Justin Timberlake turned to look at her with angry eyes, “well…um…he’ll call you back later on tonight when the show’s over…uh-huh…uh-huh…I’ll tell him….uh-huh….u-huh…okay…uh-huh…okay…bye!” Ella clicked the phone off and handed it to the man with a sense of accomplishment, “Nice to meet you, Justin. I’m Ella”

“You just told one of my bosses I was too busy to talk to him” Justin said, glancing at his phone and then back at her, “are you crazy?”

Ella stopped what she was doing and put a hand on her hip, “no…I’m not…I just thought you may need some help with you’re etiquette”

“You’re the one to talk about etiquette! You just took my phone away from me and hung up on my boss!” his voice reached a volume he didn’t quite want it to but nonetheless he waited for her response before apologizing.

“Whoa, drama queen “ if I remember correctly “ and I know I do…you handed me the phone and I talked to you’re boss and explained the situation. He laughed and we departed as friends” Ella had maintained her innocent voice and she continued to look at a flabbergasted Justin before sighing, “fine. If you want me to apologize I will. Justin…I’m sorry that I made you mad, ruined you’re evening, made you scared to let people borrow you’re phone and ultimately…made you think that I’m crazy person all in a matter of five minutes. I know that must be hard to handle. But I assure you; if my phone rings…I’ll let you answer it”

Justin didn’t know whether to laugh at her completely saddened face or scream at her for being so confusing, “I think I’ll just find my mom for now” he finally stated.

Sniffling, Ella nodded, “I can handle that…I’ve heard worse”

Justin gave her a look and stepped into the doorway that his mother had gone in. As he was almost letting the door shut behind him, a hand slithered its way inside, managing to catch his tie and drag him towards the frame, “I’m afraid to tell you that…well…that’s not the room you’re mother went in and I would watch out because the male that’s in there isn’t exactly fond of kissing the female species”

Ella let go of him and soon enough he came barreling out with a lost look on his freshly shaven face. The suit he had put on had become slightly rumpled in his adventures and Ella glanced down to her dress and swore not to let Nicola see it, “I’ll lead you…”

Justin just nodded and followed “Ella” to the door that read ‘Nicola Bridges’ on the tag. She was right, the room he had just been in…was not Nicola Bridges room, “Um…thanks”

“No problem” she let him through the door first and smiled when she saw that his mother and Nicola were still in deep conversation, “it’s nice to know we’ve been missed” she whispered.

Justin chuckled in spite of himself and looked back at the girl who in a matter of ten minutes had managed to intrigue, humor, anger and annoy him. Her messy hair was in her eyes and though it looked strategically placed something gave him the idea that she had spent no time on it at all. The unique clothing she wore complemented what piece of personality he had tried to understand and the whiteness in her smile lit up her face whenever she laughed. If she wasn’t so…her….she would be a decently attractive girl.

Noticing his gaze on her, Nicola puffed up her shoulders and grinned, “Anyway!” a loud cough erupted from her throat causing Nicola and Lynn breaks from conversation.

“Oh, hey guys” Nicola said with a smile, standing up to shake Justin’s hand and give Ella a smile.

Lynn introduced herself to Ella and with her keen sense of intuition Ella could tell this woman was a nice person, “Nice to meet you” Ella said with a certain grace to her words.

Looking at her clock, Nicola sighed and then inhaled, “Well guys, its time for me to start warming up. Thanks so much for stopping by; if you want to come by after the show we’re having a big party in the back of the auditorium. You guys should have no trouble getting in and if you do either I or Ella will come and give you both a sign in”

“Sounds great” Lynn said, her excited face breaking out into a smile, “so nice to meet you both”

Justin exchanged his goodbyes with Nicola before giving a small wave to Ella, he was thankful that the few minutes he had spent with her would be his last for the night. She was overwhelming to experience all at once.

“Nice meeting you Justin Timberlake” Ella said with a sly smile, “turn you’re phone off”

Justin tried to chuckle and once again gave the wave that he thought was impressive and polite. Ella bit her tongue fiercely not to comment on that. Instead she waved with all the power in her right arm. She thought he might smile. He didn’t.

----------------------------------------------------

“That was awesome, right?” Nicola said with a bright smile, “Justin Timberlake coming to see me…and his mom was so nice”

Ella rolled her eyes and sighed, “He was rather rude, but since I’m on a positive kick, I refuse to be mean to him”

“He was one of the politest people I’ve met” Nicola defended, “he was probably just taken back by you…a lot of people are”

Ella scoffed and threw her head back, “why am I so different? I’m just honest…people should learn how to take that”

“Some people are just close minded”

“Well, you know…I honesty don’t care” Ella said with a smile, “I don’t care at all…I am who I am”

“Positive is the way to go sweetie…but speaking of going….you better get because I’m on in a few and I refuse to let you miss this” Nicola kissed Ella on the cheek and gave her a wink, “don’t worry about the pop star…he just has bad etiquette…if that’s how I remember”

Ella nodded and gave a small smile, “that’s exactly what he lacks. But his mother was pleasant”

Nicola laughed and shook her head, “go!”

Ella gave a smile and kissed Nicola on the cheek, “have fun up there” closing the door behind her as she exited the room, Ella walked quickly down the hallway, rushed in order not to be late. She wasn’t in the mood to be killed by Nicola.

Her travels brought her to the front row of the massive building and she sat in her seat with a plop, not bothering to look at the person beside her before sighing, “I am entirely too excited to see this thing”

A familiar voice came back at her and Ella closed her eyes before slowly opening them to glance towards her right, “Hello again” he said with a wink. Though he was fighting the urge to groan, Justin took a selfish delight in the fact that this totally weird girl was now squirming in her seat. Before he could study her too long, she lit up her face with a smile and turned towards him with what seemed to be a genuine interest.

“Hey - small world” Ella masked her surprise and looked at Justin with the friendliest eyes she could muster from herself. He simply nodded his reply. “Do you visit the ballet often?”

Justin stroked his chin and shook his head, “Not really actually…it’s been my moms dream to come to one of these for a long time and coincidental enough, you’re friend is her favorite girl to watch…so I came with her to this thing”

“I see…I come all the time, but I can’t say that I’m a huge fan…Id much rather go to the art exhibit across town. But friends come before pleasure, so I’m sitting here fully ecstatic to see my best girl strut her stuff” Ella gave a charming smile and nodded.

“You’re into art?” Justin asked.

“Oh very much so…everything vintage and different…I love anything unique”

Justin heartily laughed, “You know…I kind of gathered that…don’t know what gave it away, but you know, there was a hint of that in you”

Ella smiled and had no idea as to why her cheeks were slightly warmer than usual, “yeah…I’m sometimes looked at as a weird bird…but hey, at least I’m a bird”

“What do you mean by that?”

Ella paused, as if to seriously contemplate her answer, “well…when I’m a bird, I can fly…and a lot of people cant say that”

“What if you’re caged?” he challenged, allowing his eyebrow to rise, showing his defense.

Ella’s face immediately broke out into a soft smile, “Then I can sing”

----------------------------------------------------

“It was absolutely amazing’ Ella said, screeching her words into Nicola’s ears. They were in the back of the auditorium and the decorations were out of this world. Thousands of streamers, balloons and flowers decorated the area. Dimmed lighting highlighted by blinking neon lights brought fun and the pounding music had everyone dancing. Celebrities were spotted in nearly every corner and the VIP booths were full of people. Nicola stood looking beautiful in her party gown and the sheer happiness on her face was enough to light up the entire room.

“Thanks so much, Ellie…I cant believe it’s all over!” Nicola grinned and jumped up and down with a champagne glass in her hand, “oh hey, did um…Mrs. Harless and Justin Timberlake come? I would love to see them again”

“I’m not sure, I sat beside the boy during you’re performance but never thought to ask him”

“You sat beside that beautiful man and you never thought to ask him anything?” Nicola buckled over in laughter and she placed her hand on Ella’s shoulder, “You must really think he’s attractive then”

Ella quizzically looked at Nicola, “what?”

“You never shut up and you didn’t even ask him a question…that’s just a dead giveaway that you think he’s hot!”

Ella giggled and shook her head, “are you drunk already?”

Nicola pointed to her Sprite and shook her head, “No way “ Clay’s here…I wouldn’t think of touching alcohol”

Ella shook her head and with a slight disappointment sighed, “Nic…that boy keeps you tied up”

“But if I have to be bound, I at least want him to be the one holding me” Nicola said with a slight smile, “Ella…throw away you’re optimism for ten seconds and listen to me…sometimes…fairytales don’t come true…sometimes…prince charming doesn’t come knocking on the door, therefore…sometimes you never find them. And then you’re forced to settle down with reality, some say its second best…but I know that it’s the right thing to do. I know that”

As Nicola pushed further into Ella’s personal space, Ella smelt the small amount of alcohol resting on her breath and she sighed before putting her arms around Nicola, “don’t sell yourself short of a happy ending”

Ella was surprised when she felt Nicola’s shoulders heaving into an overly dramatized sob. Looking down on the blonde headed woman she closed her eyes and swallowed back her own emotions, “are you ready to go home?”

Before Nicola could answer, Clay walked up to the both of them with a smug smile on his face, “Honey, I’ve been looking everywhere for you” When his eyes caught sight of his fiancés tears, he was immediately at her side, “baby, what’s wrong?” his dark eyebrows wrinkled before looking at Ella, “what’s wrong with her?”

Ella was starting to think of a lie when Nicola popped up with a smile, “Clay! I’m sorry for you to see me like this, I’m just so emotional with the show ending and everything…a new day is dawning!”

Clay smiled and rubbed her hair, “Yes I know it’s sad, but you have me to look forward to”

Ella coughed loudly and spit her ice back into the glass she was holding. When Nicola’s narrow slits of eyes were directed towards her, Ella giggled awkwardly, “Cold”

Clay rolled his eyes and drug Nicola out of Ella’s sight. Ella simply shook her head and continued crunching loudly on the ice. Why couldn’t be like Nicola get the best man alive? Even Ella herself would give up her own prince charming for Nicola’s happiness. She continued to ponder those thoughts while slowly gliding to the music. With her eyes closed and her lips pursed, Ella was absolutely oblivious to her surroundings and when she felt a hard body crash against her own, she knew someone else was too. Immediately curse words flew from her mouth and she groaned when she found a pair of familiar blue eyes staring back at her.

“We meet yet again,” Justin Timberlake said with a somewhat displeased grin.

Ella nodded her head, shocked to find that he was acting halfway civil. Then again, she had only been conversing with him for half a second, “yeah…that seems to be happening quite a bit” Ella said with a pleasing smile. If he could act nice, so could she.

“My mom’s looking for you’re friend” he stated, a bored look glazing over his eyes. The girl he was watching showed no emotion to his presence. He wasn’t a cocky…okay, maybe he was slightly cocky, but it had never impaired people from being impressed by him. Ella simply shrugged him off and looked towards the dance floor.

“She’s dancing with her fiancé”

“Oh”

Silence floated above them for a few moments before Ella turned to Justin, “do you like suede?”

“Huh?”

“Do you like suede?”

She stated the words again, looking at him as if he were stupid for not understanding her the first time, “um...yeah, its cool”

“You’re not an honest person” Ella shook her head; he wasn’t honest because she could tell by his first reaction that he thought she was an idiot. And now, he stood here acting like he got asked that question often. If someone had asked her, she would have told him or her that suede was fabulous and she wished with all of her heart that she could find a pair of suede boots to pair with the slip dress in her closet. But no…he just had to act normal about it.

“Excuse me?” His lips curled and showed a pair of extremely white teeth.

“Honest people would have told me I was crazy,” she said with a flip of her hair.

“If I would have told you that I would have been called rude again!” he defended himself by making extreme body language with his hands.

Ella paused before rolling her eyes with an exaggerated sigh, “wouldn’t you rather be an honest rude person than a dishonest one?” He stood there, flabbergasted and Ella had to stop herself from laughing as he kept on beginning to speak and then stopping himself before the words ever left his mouth, “I think I see a dear friend of mine…nice seeing you again” she gave him a friendly tap on the arm and quickly disappeared into the sea of bodies.

Justin was left standing there by himself, the only movement of his body being the blinking of his eyelids. Who did this girl think she was? With a shake of his head he turned around and quickly decided that he didn’t want to find out.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.nsyncfiction.net/archive/viewstory.php?sid=3701