Secrets & Lies by fauxami



Summary: AU. Justin and Lance are the main protagonists in this story set in late Victorian times.
Rating: PG-13 starstarstar
Categories: Long Stories
Characters: Lambs
Genres: Drama, Romance, Alternate Universe
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 09/26/04
Updated: 07/09/05


Secrets & Lies by fauxami
Chapter 1: Prologue - Chapter 1
Author's Notes:

Prologue
In a time where ethics and morality are the main pillars of society, two young men’s lives have crossed. Will they survive a world of ignorance or will they loose their battle.



CHAPTER 1

1890



It is a hot summer day. The family has been planning this day for weeks. The sun bathes your pale skin. If it were not for this awful looking wool bathing suit, everything would be so much nicer. The suit weights a ton every time you enter the water.

The women wear a knee-length, puffed sleeve bathing suit. Most of them do not go into the water, so they just relax and chat among one another.


As for you, you are just sitting on a chair admiring this whole scenario. There are families with their children, couples whispering sweet nothings into each other's ears. You sigh inwardly, wishing you could have someone special by your side as well.



Your thoughts disrupt, as someone taps on your shoulder. You look up and find yourself gazing at the most beautiful creature. He is wearing a black-with-stripes swimsuit, he is well-built, and he has the most exciting blue eyes you have ever seen.


“Hello, do you mind If I sit here?” he asks politely.


He looks so young, in his early twenties.


“Yes, erm I mean no. Please sit,” you blurt. That is just great, Lance. You are making a fool out of you.


“Thanks,” he says, flashing his pearly white teeth and sitting beside you on the rough sand.


“My name is Justin. What is yours?” He stretches out his hand. Your right hands connect with his. His palm is soft.


“James,” you calmly reply. “But most people call me Lance.”


“It is very nice to meet you, James,” he replies. You wonder if he could sing your name as wonderfully as his voice sounds.


A minute of silence.


“Do you visit this place frequently?” you suddenly ask. He watches the ocean, and then looks at you before answering.


“Yes I do.”


“What are you reading there?” asks Justin, pointing at the book you hold on your lap.


“This is a group of poems written by Edgar Allan Poe.”


Justin’s eyes widen. ”I like Poe too. He is an outstanding writer.”


“He is a genius,” you say


“So which one is your favorite work of his?” he wonders.


“Dream within a dream.”


“Oh that’s one of the best poems ever. How does it go…,” He thinks a moment before reciting. Finally, he stands up and begins:



“Taking this dream upon the brow!

And, in parting from you now,

Thus much let me avow-

You are not wrong, who deem

That my days have been a dream;

Yet if hope has flown away

In a night, or in a day,

In a vision, or in none,

Is it therefore the less gone?

All that we see or seem

Is but a dream within a dream.”


“Excellent!” you beam and Justin does a small bow.


“Thank you, thank you.” Both of you laugh heartily. His laugh is so contagious.


The hours pass very fast with the two of you talking. You give a quick glimpse at your mother, who motions to you that it is time to leave. Your face drops and you wish you could stay a little longer.


”I’ve got to go.”


“Yes, actually me too.”


“It’s been a pleasure chatting with you, Justin”


“Likewise, James” he says to you, shaking your hand.


You start walking, when suddenly you hear your name.

“James, maybe we can meet together again. Same time, tomorrow?”


“Yes, that would be nice,” you say, not sounding too anxious.


Perfect.

END OF CHAPTER 1.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.nsyncfiction.net/archive/viewstory.php?sid=3871