All at sea by helena



Summary: Some things you gotta let pass by, but somethings you can't help but let affect you. I wanna change your life... (Song based)
Rating: PG starstarstarstarhalf-star
Categories: Short Stories
Characters: Justin Timberlake
Genres: Romance
Warnings: adult language
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 10/18/04
Updated: 10/18/04


All at sea by helena
Chapter 1: Chapter One
Author's Notes:

Lil holes in the wall are not my thing, give me Starbucks any day. Especially when their coffee looks and smellls like shit, but I need my caffine fix, and quick. I search for a seat, and discover the only one without a questionable stain is the one in the corner under the flicking lightbulb.

Just me and my thoughts sailing far away
Like a warm drink it seeps into my soul


It hits my stomach like something nasty, acid meets acid I guess. My bodyguard laughs at my sudden change in colour and I shoot him a fierce glance. A quaint little old lady skuttles to my side, desperate for any kind of human contact in a place as dead as this.

''Would you like a cake?''

I consider this, either definately throw up, or try to keep it down with something more solid. ''What do you have?''

''Carrot, ginger, chocolate, fudge. What would you like sir?''

''Gimme a slice of the ginger one''

As the lady skuttles back off I try to take in my surroundings. I guess it could be worse, it could be filled with a load of stinking sweaty men and serving fries with more free-flowing fat than potato. I swallow back down what just came up.

But sometimes don't you just crave
To disappear within your mind
You never know what you might find


The colour scheme is pink, orange and red, although the seats are inexplicably baby blue, and it has an Art Deco 1920s sort of feel to it, infact I wouldn't be surprised if it was open round that time. It's not entirely unpleasant I suppose. The only sound other than my foot tapping and the various workers' footfalls is that of the fan in the middle of the room swishing around, looking like an old-school airplane propeller and sounding like a shutter thrashing against a doorframe in the wind. If I close my eyes, it kinda sounds like home...

So come and spend some time with me
We will spend it all at sea
Like a warm drink it seeps into my soul


My cake arrives, and I guess it must be freshly baked because it smells surprisingly good. I put the fork in and it lets out a puff of steam. Putting a small fork full in my mouth I find it tastes quite good, and put in another fork full in, thank God its better than their coffee. I look over to my bodyguard and he looks pissed, the bastard was probably rooting for me to throw up. I look up at the various waitresses moving around, occasionally turning their head towards me to see if I approve of the food.

I'm all at sea
Where no-one can bother me
I sleep by myself
I drink on my own
Don't speak to nobody
I gave away my phone


Of course I do, and I think I'll be making more trips to this place, maybe bring a Thermos though. I notice how I feel at peace here, I can't describe why, and I certainly didn't feel it till just now, but its there and I like it.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.nsyncfiction.net/archive/viewstory.php?sid=4239